Chronos Breach by Purpura Lipstick
Summary:

Years after she was forced to travel through time, Julie now goes willingly to hunt down those rogue volunteers that feel it is their duty to correct history.  Even though Nick is gone, she is still haunted by what he did to her and Kevin. Will she be able to keep it together when another threat arises to tear the Project apart?

~Complete~


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Howie, Kevin, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe, Science Fiction
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Chronos Project
Chapters: 39 Completed: Yes Word count: 59521 Read: 65206 Published: 10/19/11 Updated: 02/22/12
Story Notes:

Halfway through Chronos Project my muse started forumulating another plot.  I hope you like. Please read and review.

1. Chapter 1 by Purpura Lipstick

2. Chapter 2 by Purpura Lipstick

3. Chapter 3 by Purpura Lipstick

4. Chapter 4 by Purpura Lipstick

5. Chapter 5 by Purpura Lipstick

6. Chapter 6 by Purpura Lipstick

7. Chapter 7 by Purpura Lipstick

8. Chapter 8 by Purpura Lipstick

9. Chapter 9 by Purpura Lipstick

10. Chapter 10 by Purpura Lipstick

11. Chapter 11 by Purpura Lipstick

12. Chapter 12 by Purpura Lipstick

13. Chapter 13 by Purpura Lipstick

14. Chapter 14 by Purpura Lipstick

15. Chapter 15 by Purpura Lipstick

16. Chapter 16 by Purpura Lipstick

17. Chapter 17 by Purpura Lipstick

18. Chapter 18 by Purpura Lipstick

19. Chapter 19 by Purpura Lipstick

20. Chapter 20 by Purpura Lipstick

21. Chapter 21 by Purpura Lipstick

22. Chapter 22 by Purpura Lipstick

23. Chapter 23 by Purpura Lipstick

24. Chapter 24 by Purpura Lipstick

25. Chapter 25 by Purpura Lipstick

26. Chapter 26 by Purpura Lipstick

27. Chapter 27 by Purpura Lipstick

28. Chapter 28 by Purpura Lipstick

29. Chapter 29 by Purpura Lipstick

30. Chapter 30 by Purpura Lipstick

31. Chapter 31 by Purpura Lipstick

32. Chapter 32 by Purpura Lipstick

33. Chapter 33 by Purpura Lipstick

34. Chapter 34 by Purpura Lipstick

35. Chapter 35 by Purpura Lipstick

36. Chapter 36 by Purpura Lipstick

37. Chapter 37 by Purpura Lipstick

38. Chapter 38 by Purpura Lipstick

39. Chapter 39 by Purpura Lipstick

Chapter 1 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

So you think you can change history?

The pinks and oranges that illuminated in the sky made the night a beautiful one, but it was not one she could stop and enjoy. She was running, chasing after one of them, one of those who thought they could change history, make it better. Those who thought their actions would have no consequences on the future time line, or at least didn't think those consequences through. Julie grumbled to herself at women's fashion. She slowed enough to kick her heeled shoes out of the way and continued running. She would really need to speak with someone about a broader range of women's footwear.

Julie cursed as she slowed to a stop searching the streets around her. She couldn't find the person she was chasing, Kyle his name was. It had been her discovery, such a minute change to history that she was sure Kyle thought he'd never be caught. His intentions had been good, Julie admitted that to herself when she discovered the change. How many lives could be saved with the proper CPR procedures published prior to the early nineteen sixties? That was just it though; those people who died because of it would no longer be dead. What would their lives bring, who would they have become? Sure some might have turned into generous, giving, loving people, still others might have turned evil and destroyed more lives.

Julie knew there was more to it than Kyle saving lives, why this particular time period, why did he feel the need to bring the information back to the nineteen thirties?

“Shit!” she cursed out loud ignoring the stares of the men and women surrounding her. She turned and started to walk back towards her shoes. She picked them both up and continued to walk barefoot.

She was almost back to the building she'd left Kevin at to pursue Kyle when she felt like she was being watched. She spun around quickly and saw Kyle turning and running in the opposite direction again. “Dammit,” she yelled as she took off after him again.

Did he really think that he would be able to come back so soon to try and salvage what Kevin destroyed, or should be destroying?

After she rounded a corner she almost ran straight into Kyle's back as he stood at the end of a line that looked like a food line. Dropping her shoes, she reached around and grabbed his arms, pulling them behind his back.

“You are coming back with me Kyle,” she whispered in his ear.

“Not likely,” he said as he threw his head backward, the back of his head collided with Julie's nose. Her first reaction was to let him go and grab hold of her nose. Kyle saw this as an opportunity to run, but before he could get far Julie saw another pair of hands grab hold of him.

“Now is that any way to treat a lady?” Kevin's voice was serious though he had a smile on his face as he looked at Julie.

“I had him,” she told him frustrated that she was worn out from chasing this guy and Kevin was the one with the capture.

“Team effort,” Kevin said as she grabbed her shoes and they started walking back towards their jump spot. They only encountered a few eyes looking at them as they walked. Kevin wore a badge on his belt so most people ignored them as they walked.

“How about next time I stay behind to burn the pages and you can chase after the bad guy in heels,” Julie retorted, her nose still smarting from colliding with Kyle's head.

Julie had to admit that Kevin's laugh was good to hear. “You know I would have chased after him if I could. Howie was reluctant to let me come on this mission.”

Julie nodded, she knew all too well that Kevin had been on the inactive list ever since Nick shot him during their confrontation in nineteen eighteen when they stopped Nick from doing anything to Hitler or Dr. Forster, the man that cured him. She'd almost lost him then, the man she loved, it was a miracle that Howie had been able to bring him back. She herself had only been put on active duty a few months ago, finally fully recovered from when Nick had stabbed her.

When they reached the designated jump spot, their agreed upon meeting place for when, if, they got separated they stood side by side and dialed their devices to take them back to twenty-thirty. Before they pushed their buttons Julie turned to Kevin.

“Just don't take all my credit.” She winked and hit her button feeling the warmth pass through her, the familiar feeling that she was jumping through time. She still remembered the days when she randomly jumped through time, the only indicator that she was going to jump extreme nausea and excruciating pain that would debilitate her for hours after she arrived at her new destination, if she was lucky enough to be there for hours. When she thought she was done jumping she was pulled back into that world, and when she was she realized she didn't want to know a life without the people she'd met, the love she found and even the time travel.

Kevin arrived with Kyle a short time after her and they escorted the rogue to a holding cell where he would be questioned later. There were several plexiglass holding cells in the room, a sparse few held captives. After half a year of searching for Nick's leaderless group of rogue volunteers, they'd only managed to find and capture three.

Julie had made it her mission to hunt down Steph, Nick's right hand. She had captured her once but the woman managed to escape their holding cells and was still on the loose. She wanted the satisfaction of bringing that woman in herself. She'd even gone so far as to keep a journal of any activity she had that could be related to her activities, a journal that she even kept from Kevin.

Once they left the room, Kevin grabbed a hold of Julie's hand and they walked hand in hand to the dressing rooms to get changed out of the clothing they wore into the past. Julie found out, shortly after she'd been here that there were several volunteers that actually did not travel through time. She knew some researched but there were two volunteers specifically in charge of finding and procuring outfits that could be worn by the traveling volunteers during their missions through time.

Julie smiled at Kevin and released his hand as she turned towards the room with the women's clothing. She started to undress when the volunteer in charge came in, she was fairly new to the position but something about her reminded her of Edith.

“So how'd it go?” The woman asked her, snapping her gum slightly as she spoke.

“We got him Tessa.” Julie sighed hanging up the dress. Julie wondered what drove someone to choose a life costuming others. Julie had some experience with that when she worked on the set of the movie Blue Hawaii in nineteen-sixty, where she met Edith.

Tessa looked Julie up and down, when she reached her feet she looked around Julie and then back at her questioningly. “Where are the shoes?”

Julie looked down at her feet and back at Tessa. “I know I grabbed them. I took them off, I couldn't run in them. They were a little too big, but I swear I grabbed them.” Julie defended herself. She pulled on her jeans and a t-shirt and made her way back to the jump room in search of the shoes that had caused her so many issues earlier.

“What if they catch us?” a female voice came from the room.

“Trust me babe,” a male voice responded. Julie recognized their voices right away, Erika and AJ. Over the past few months the duo had gotten closer. Erika was thankful that Julie brought AJ back safely and from that point on she noticed them spending several hours together, often in quiet close whispers. She could only imagine what it was they were going to be doing, what they were doing in the jump room.

Julie knocked lightly and opened the door a crack calling out a “Hello,” as she dared to open it wider. The twosome looked guilty, she knew that look, she had that look in that room before.

“Just going to be a minute, looking for my shoes.” Julie stated as she started looking around.

“These?” Erika held up the dreaded pair of shoes and Julie moved over to take them. “Yes thank you!” She took the shoes and hugged the woman, “You have saved me from Tessa's wrath.”

Erika nodded and looked over at AJ, Julie got the hint. “Well I'm going to leave you two alone, but perhaps one of your rooms might be better for this?” She grinned and raised her eyebrows at the two before returning to the costume room and turning over her shoes.

She pushed open the door to her room, the room she'd been sharing with Kevin for the last six months to find him already in the bed sleeping. Julie shook her head and changed into her nightclothes and crawled into bed next to him. She snuggled up close to him, the heat from his body comforting. She was worn out from the chase that day, thankfully her nose had stopped hurting and it wasn't long before her eyes closed and she drifted off to sleep.

“Julie,” a hollow voice called out to her.

Julie heard the voice but she stirred only slightly and put her arm around Kevin. He probably wanted her to get closer to her, he liked to feel her close.

“Julie,” She heard her name called again. This time the voice she knew was not Kevin's. She opened her eyes a crack and bolted out of bed when she saw Nick's blue eyes staring back at her, a knife raised above her ready to slash down.

Chapter 2 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Another day another mission

Julie screamed and tried to move as far away as she could from Nick and the knife. She closed her eyes tight and covered her face. “No, no,” she muttered to herself when she felt hands on her. How could he be here in her room? He was dead, how was he here?

“Julie,” her name was called again. She shook her head, tears streaming down her face. There was no way she was going to live after another encounter with him, he would make sure of that.

“Julie!” someone shouted and she felt her arms being pulled away from her face. She stiffened her arms in an attempt not to let him get to her face. Instead of a sharp pain from the knife she felt arms being wrapped around her and someone soothing her.

She moved her arms and opened her eyes. Nick was no longer standing over her bed and Kevin was next to her, his arms around her holding her tight.

“What did you see?” He asked her kissing the top of her head.

“Nick,” She stated simply as if that should be enough of an explanation. Kevin didn't question her further, it was enough for him. Julie had been fine the first few months after she'd been stabbed and Kevin had been shot. She was comforted in the fact that Nick was dead, but soon that wasn't even a comfort to her anymore and the nightmares started.

She wrapped her arms around Kevin and let him hold her. She felt her eyes begin to drift again and though she fought closing her eyes, she was afraid of seeing Nick's face again, her tiredness won out and the next thing she remembered was opening her eyes watching Kevin's muscular form pulling a shirt over his head.

“Mmmm, you should just leave that off,” She said as she smiled and stretched.

“Good morning,” he returned the smile and bent over the bed to kiss her. “Did you sleep better?”

Julie nodded. “I did, thanks.” She sat up and grabbed her jeans from the floor next to her bed. She knew it drove Kevin crazy that she left clothes lying around sometimes but she wanted to sleep last night, not fold her clothes. She pulled her jeans on, found a clean shirt to pull on then pulled her hair back in a pony tail. “What's on the agenda today?” She asked as they headed out.

“I have a meeting with Charles, Howie and Jessica. I don't know what you have planned for the day.” Kevin smirked at her as they started walking down the hall.

The elusive Jessica was coming in today. Julie knew the woman was smart enough to help Charles finish the project but unlike Charles, she had a life outside of the project and as a result was a scarce sight. The first time Julie had met Jessica was shortly after Kevin was shot, before her mother's funeral. Jessica had come to visit Kevin, she had said he was one of the reasons the project had been a success and it would have had a major impact on everyone if he had died that day. She had known all about Julie's strange circumstances that had gotten her involved with volunteers and was glad to see another strong woman join the team. They bonded that day.

Julie didn't mean to walk with Kevin all the way to the room that his meeting would be in, but she was lost in her thoughts and wasn't paying that much attention to where she was going.

“Julie,” Jessica's slightly high pitched voice called out. “Will you be joining us for the meeting today. It would be a welcome change to finally have more tits than dicks in the room for once.”

Julie laughed and shook her head. “I'm afraid not, I might see if I can get any information from our new captive today.” She glanced up at Kevin as he walked into the room.

Jessica watched as Kevin walked by and into the room. “Well, I'll make sure the meeting doesn't go to long. If I was younger and in your position I wouldn't want to be away from him for long.” the older woman winked at Julie before entering the room, closing the door behind her.

Julie shook her head and smiled as she turned to make her way to the holding cells. She pulled a chair in front of the cell holding Kyle and sat watching him. He was sitting on the floor, his legs crossed and his eyes closed.

“What do you want?” he asked as he continued to sit unmoving. “You are interrupting my meditation.”

“Oh I don't mind,” Julie spoke. She really didn't care if he was trying to calm himself or commune with some deity, she needed answers.

Kyle opened his eyes and turned to face Julie. “Why should I give you anything?” He sneered at her. “There are rumors of what you all are doing to those who you capture.”

“Do share,” Julie remained calm and kept her eyes on Kyle.

“You'll grill me, possibly torture me to get any information out of me of what I might have changed in history. Of what others might have changed. Once you get information or realize the person won't give you any information you wipe their memory and stick them in a time period that could be theirs, but you don't care about that.” Kyle was now standing right in front of Julie looking down at her, hate apparent in his eyes.

Julie shrugged. “I'm not in charge of that area, I only want one thing from you.” She stood to look him straight in his eyes. “I want the location of Steph.”

Kyle laughed at Julie and walked back to his cot, falling onto it. He lay there looking up at the ceiling and smiling. “Steph huh?”

“That's it, it's all I want. If you give me that information then maybe I could work something out. Maybe even arrange for you to be released,” It was a long shot but Julie needed information. She had to be the one to bring in Steph.

“You find a way for me to keep my memories?” He asked still lying on the bed his hands crossed on his stomach.

“Yes,” Julie mumbled. She didn't know how she'd be able to convince Charles of this, she still felt like he wanted to erase her memories and send her back some days.

She watched as Kyle continued to lay on the bed, twiddling his thumbs. In one swift movement he was standing in front of her, the plexiglass the only thing between them.

“Rot in hell,” Kyle sneered at her.

“I take that as a no,” Julie replied calmly looking up at him. She hadn't thought he would give up information on Steph so easily. None of the others they had caught were willing to even speak with her. This was the most she'd talked to one of the rogues after capture.

Kyle spat in Julie's direction, she watched as the spit started creeping down the glass. Kyle moved back to the floor and crossed his legs and closed his eyes again. “Now if you would be so kind,” he started. “I would like to continue my meditation.”

Julie had no intention of being kind. She wanted answers and as far as she was concerned this guy had not earned his quiet time. “If you won't tell me where Steph is, then tell me what you've been up to for the last six months. Where have you gone? What places have you visited? Who have you run into?” She asked him like they were old friends catching up but she could hear Kyle sigh in annoyance.

He kept his eyes closed and his head slightly uplifted. “If you are trying to get information about what things I've changed you will be disappointed.” He stopped talking again and no matter what questions or how many she asked, he wasn't speaking again. She sat there watching him for awhile longer hoping that he might give in and give up some information.

She stood to leave but turned as she reached the door. “Just remember I gave you this opportunity to give up this information and make a deal.”

She heard Kyle scoff as she exited the room. Instead of checking to see if Kevin was finished with his meeting she headed back to her room and pulled out her journal that she'd been tracking any information she had on Steph. She just started to read her notes when she heard the door handle move. She opened her desk and quickly shoved the notebook inside grabbing another empty pad of paper in the process.

“There you are,” Kevin said as he entered the room. “Charles has a mission for us.”

“Really?” she sat up straight. Any mission was a possibility to get more information.

“We have gotten wind of someone attempting to stop the Library of Alexandria from burning. We will be heading to approximately December of forty-eight B.C.” Kevin smiled like a little boy being told her could pick out a piece of candy in the candy store.

“You look excited,” She said as she stood, putting her arms around him.

Kevin nodded. “I've always wanted to visit Egypt,” He leaned down kissing Julie. “And to go there with you is an added bonus.” He pressed his lips to hers again, this time she pulled away and playfully slapped his chest.

“If it involves a library, shouldn't our librarian go?” Julie asked putting her hands in the back pockets of Kevin's jeans and pulling him closer. “I was really hoping for some alone time,” She licked her lips as she held Kevin's gaze.

“Charles has requested that we go on this mission and Howie as agreed that I am well enough to start going on more missions.” Kevin pulled her arms out his pockets and kissed her cheek. “We will have plenty of time for...later” He let the comment hang in the air.

“Okay then, as much as I regret saying this. Let's make sure that library burns.” Julie took his hand and pulled him from the room towards the clothing rooms. Maybe a chase through Alexandria would be like a cold shower.

Chapter 3 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Burn baby burn...

“You are lucky to get to see such things,” Tessa told Julie as she helped her don her Egyptian linen dress. Julie was uncomfortable in the dress, even though her breasts were covered with this particular style she still could not wear her bra at all and it was driving her slightly crazy. She looked at her feet, at least they weren't in heels for this trip.

“I wouldn't call it lucky to watch the Library of Alexandria burn,” Julie sighed. “I understand that it happened so it needs to stay that way but...sometimes.” Julie dropped it. She had to fight the side of her that had agreed with Nick and his ideas about correcting history, it was an internal fight, she knew it would be pointless to bring it up with Kevin.

Tessa quickly stitched the shoulder of Julie's outfit so the strap would not fall down on her. “But to see Alexandria in the time of Cleopatra,” Tessa sighed.

Julie laughed lightly at her friend. “How many times have you seen Cleopatra with Elizabeth Taylor in it?”

Tessa dropped her hands and walked away to grab some jewelry. “Honestly, never have seen it. I studied Egyptian history from the time I was a little girl. I have always been fascinated with it.”

Julie turned and looked at Tessa, taking her hands. “Tessa I'm sorry, I just thought... the way you sighed...”

“It's fine.” She gave the jewelry to Julie to put on.

Julie left the room feeling a little down about how she acted with Tessa but she had a mission to complete. She looked down at her outfit, she could make out the outline of her thighs with every movement, the color of her skin apparent under the light material. She sighed when she realized she would not be able to get away with wearing a belt around her thigh for this mission.

She reached the jump room to see Kevin speaking with Jessica. She couldn't hear what they were saying but both of them smiled at her when they saw her enter.

“Now that is a dress,” Jessica smiled holding out Julie's arms to get a better look. Jessica turned to Kevin and in a teasing tone said, “If I were you I'd take her back to your room and have my way with her before jumping.” She turned back and winked at Julie before finding her way out.

Julie raised her eyebrows as she looked at Kevin wearing his kilt. “Nice legs,” she whistled at him before moving to the table to see what items they might want to take with them. “Where am I supposed to hide anything with this outfit?”

Now it was Kevin's turn for his eyes to travel up and down her body. “I see what you mean,” he smirked, his eyes twinkling as he turned back to the table. “I guess you won't be taking anything which means you can't leave me behind and run off on your own.”

Julie rolled her eyes, “I guess you better be prepared to keep up then,” She grabbed her device and set it for the approximate time that Julius Caesar burned his ships which lead to the accidental burning of the Library of Alexandria. Lifting her eyebrows quickly at Kevin she pushed the button with a smirk on her face.

After arriving she looked around at all the varying clay homes. She was standing on the terrace of one of the the taller houses in the city and gasped at the sight of the city spread out before her. The sun was full in the sky shining down on the city in all it's glory. It was hard to believe this city and the Egyptian way of life would cease, the last of the Pharaohs was now on the throne.

She jumped slightly when she felt Kevin wrap his arms around her. He had been quiet when he arrived. His arms felt good wrapped around her and she leaned into him. “Beautiful,” She muttered.

“Mmmm,” he responded kissing the top of her head. “We should get going,” He said the words but still held Julie tight. They stood there for several more minutes before Kevin let go of her, grabbed hold of her hand and walked out onto the streets of Alexandria. They tried to blend in, their clothing did a reasonable job of it, but with the war hanging over the city, hardly anyone was on the streets. Julie made a mental note to visit the city during another time, she would like to see the streets full of people going about their daily lives.

When they arrived closer to the palace they were turned away and sent back from where they came. Julie knew that Caesar used a bold tactic against the Egyptian fleet by sending in fire ships and that the fire from some of these ships would work it's way inland and destroy some of the buildings including the library.

“How are we supposed to see if there is a rogue volunteer around if we can't even get close to the palace?” Julie asked out loud but didn't really ask the question to Kevin, she was just thinking aloud.

“Let's hope that Ptolemy keeping people away is a sign that he is keeping everyone away. Perhaps the rogue will not be able to get closer either.” She could see Kevin straining to see if he could see anything going on around the palace but if he saw anything he wasn't sharing it with Julie.

They stood their watching, they couldn't do anything else and if Kevin felt like Julie, it was a hopeless feeling. When she heard panic coming from the direction of the docks past the palace she and Kevin took off to see if they could managed to get closer with the other curious eyes headed that direction.

She stood back away from any danger as she saw the first fire boat entering the harbor, it crashed into another boat and soon that ship was alight with flames. Another fire boat came sailing into the harbor colliding with two ships from the Egyptian fleet. More boats a flame sailed into the harbor and collided into ships. The fire burned hot, Julie could feel the heat from the burning ships from where she stood. The Egyptian sailors and a few other captains could be seen rushing about trying to do something, anything to stop the from losing all the ships in the harbor.

Julie strained her eyes watching the buildings in the area, it wasn't the ships she was concerned about watching, she was watching the building she assumed was the library. She gasped as she watched the flames leap from the ship onto the building, lighting it fairly easily.

A few people from the crowd watching surged forward and made their way to the building. They bravely ran inside and started coming back out, their arms full of scrolls. Others moved forward to help, either douse the flames or save the scrolls.

“That's that then,” Kevin spoke at her side. She hadn't even seen him return to her side. “It's burning, we can leave. Our intel was a false lead. Charles isn't going to be happy, he was so sure that one of the rogue volunteers was going to be in this location attempting to stop this.”

“Can we watch a little longer?” Julie asked, surprised at herself for wanting to watch this building burn. She felt it was her duty to see how it panned out, to see how the fires were quenched.

“Julie,” Kevin had hold of her hand tugging her away from the scene. “Don't do this to yourself.” She looked at the building one last time and then turned to walk back with Kevin. They had to push against the crowd that had formed to watch.

“I wanted to run in there and help to put the fire out or save some of the scrolls.” She admitted.

“So did I,” Kevin's voice rang out in the relatively quiet streets.

They walked back to the house that they jumped into. Julie assumed it was a house that somehow the project obtained since it was empty when they arrived and it was empty now. Julie walked out onto the terrace she stood on when she first arrived and stretched herself to see the fires still burning. She felt Kevin come out and stand next to her. There they stood, watching, until they could no longer see any more flames.

End Notes:

NOTE: Initial reports in history stated that Caesar burned the library when he sent burning boats into the Egyptian harbor as an attack move against Ptolemy XIII but later researchers noted that the library was nowhere near the harbor. It is believed that the library was actually destroyed 20 – 25 years after this attack. I used this version for a better flow to the story. :)

Chapter 4 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

smoke inhalation bad and Egyptian clothing good

Later that night, Julie walked through the city, it was empty but she had to see the damage that had been done to the building. She had to see if there was anything left that would be salvageable. The cool night air felt good whipping through the light fabric of her clothing and she inhaled the different smells as she walked. It was odd that she was walking without a care or concern that anyone would jump out at her. She simply walked the streets.

When she arrived at the harbor she saw a few sailors milling about but none of them paid her any attention as she walked into the still smoking building. The smell of burnt parchment and brick lingered in the air and she covered her nose from the smell. It looked as if those who ran into the building to save the scrolls left nothing that could be saved. Too many scrolls lay on the shelves burned beyond hope.

As she took in the final sights she turned to leave but suddenly felt that she was not alone. She turned back to face the inside of the building and squinted into the darkness. “Who's there?” She called out, hoping that no one would reply. She hoped she was imagining it.

“Julie,” A voice called to her and her skin crawled as a figure stepped forward. It was dark but there was no mistaking the mop of blond hair on his head.

“Nick,” she hissed. How was he here, wasn't he supposed to be dead. “You're dead.”

“So you followed me instead,” he replied smirking at her.

“I didn't follow you, I wanted to see this for myself. How did you survive?” He had stopped walking towards her

“That's too bad; I had a nice trap set for you if you had gone into the camp,” He started moving towards her again, she could see the glint of the knife in his hand. She backed away slowly, she didn't understand how he was there and why he was talking about a camp, she didn't see a camp outside.

“Nick, how are you here?” She repeated. She had to know how he lived through being shot. Had someone found him?

“Julie,” He said again as he advanced with the knife.

She turned and moved towards the exit but found that the door was now closed and try as she might she was unable to open the door. She pushed and pulled but to no avail, it wasn't budging. She felt the heat of the fire before she saw the first flames as it licked through the building. Was it burning again? Who had set it on fire? Why didn't she tell Kevin where she was going?

She couldn't help but breathe in the smoke that surrounded her. Her throat and lungs were burning and her eyes were watering. Unconcerned with Nick, she dropped to the floor and started banging on the door. Someone had to hear her. “Help,” She called out.

She felt herself shaking all over. She knew she was going to die, her body was convulsing. She managed to open her eyes, she had to see, had to make sure Nick was in there burning with her. She didn't see Nick anywhere though, instead she could hear someone talking to her through the door.

“Julie, it's me Kevin. C'mon hun, wake up.” He called out to her.

Wake up? Julie wondered. She couldn't be asleep, this felt all too real to her. The smoke, the heat the stinging eyes. No, she was imagining Kevin's voice, she was going to die. Before she knew what was happening, Kevin was sitting next to her stroking her hair.

“Come back to me, wake up.” He leaned in and kissed her. She could feel his moist lips and the trill in her stomach as he kissed her. Yes, that was real. Slowly the smoke disappeared, there was no more heat and when she blinked the building disappeared and Kevin's face came into focus.

“What the hell was that?” Kevin asked when she touched his face and smiled.

“It felt so real,” She said as she sat up taking in the room that she now remembered falling asleep in. “I was in the library looking around and Nick came out of the shadows. I tried talking to him, but his responses made no sense, I think they were phrases from my conversation with him before he stabbed me.” Julie pulled her knees to her chest and lay her cheek on them looking at Kevin. “Before I knew what was happening the building was on fire and I was inside dying from the smoke. I could feel the smoke entering my body, I could feel the heat. I was never there, how could I know?” She asked him.

“I don't know, we should ask Charles after we return. I don't like how frequent these nightmares are becoming. You should be having them less as time goes on and it seems like you are having them more often.” he stroked her hair before throwing the thin blanket off and pulling his kilt back on.

He turned back to her and held his hand out to her. “Let's get going,” he pulled her up and held her close. The heat from his body felt good even though the morning sun was coming into the room heating it up faster than she thought possible.

She looked up at him and wrapped her hands behind his head pulling him down so that their lips could meet. He responded to her kiss opening his lips slightly. She ran her nails lightly down his back as he pulled her closer moving her back to the bed they just rose out of.

She pushed him down and straddled him, lifting her skirt and his kilt. She chuckled, “easy access for both sexes.”

There was no sweet words, no gentle caresses as they took each other quickly. When they finished Julie own clothes again before she and Kevin sought out Charles.stood up and straightened her dress.

“Okay let's go,” She smirked at Kevin who was still lying on the bed, recovering. She grabbed the jewelry and shoes as those were the only items of clothing she felt she needed to remove before she went to bed. She took her device from Kevin and put it on her wrist and dialed to go back home.

There was no one in the jump room when she arrived which was not uncommon. She made her way to the clothing room so she could get in her own clothes again before she and Kevin sought out Charles. She stood at the door until she saw Kevin return then made her way down the hall.

She pushed open the door, Tessa was not inside but that did not matter. She had been in the room plenty of times without another volunteer and she'd always managed to find clothes and put them back without issue. She pulled her jeans and her t-shirt on quickly, slipping her feet into her sandals before heading out and down to Charles' office. She knew Kevin would meet her there.

“There you are Julie, we just told Kevin.” Erika came running towards her. “I still can't believe it happened.”

“What happened Erika,” the woman was frantic, Julie needed her to calm down and tell her what was going on.

“It's Charles, he's gone.”

“What do you mean gone?” She shot back. Charles never went anywhere.

“Just gone. AJ and I got back from our mission this morning and after we locked our rogue up we went to report to Charles and he wasn't there. We thought he might be meeting with Jessica but when we found Jessica she said she'd not seen him all morning. Papers from the meeting with everyone yesterday morning were still on his desk, we think he's been missing since then but since he usually kept to himself we had no idea until...” The fear in the other woman's eyes was unsettling to Julie. She'd not been here as long as the others but Charles was the brains behind the entire project. If he went missing would they have to stop what they were doing?

A thought shot into Julie's head and she sped off to the holding cells. She threw open the door and slammed her palm into the plexiglass window of Kyle's cell. “Tell me where he is,” She shouted at him, but he continued to lay on the bed unperturbed by her actions.

“I don't know what you mean,” Kyle sat up and looked at her.

“Charles, he's missing.”

Kyle play acted that he was shocked. “Really? That is terrible,” He laughed and layed back down.

“I know Steph is behind this somehow,” Julie was fuming. Steph had to be behind it, she didn't know why she thought that way, but she had to be the one behind it.

“Then you would be wrong,” Kyle responded and closed his eyes. “Now if you don't mind, I would like a nap.”

Julie slammed her hand onto the plexiglass in frustration again and stormed out of the room going to Charles' office. She had to discuss something with Kevin and she knew that is where he would be.

End Notes:

Yes, men's clothing in Egypt were called Kilts, the Scots did not invent them ;)

Chapter 5 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

information sharing

“Julie you haven't even been here a year, as much as I like you and your determination I cannot in good conscience let you interrogate the rogues that we have in our cells,” Jessica was sitting behind Charles' desk in his absence which was making Julie slightly unnerved. Kevin was standing next to her, neither one of them sat when Jessica asked them to.

Julie rubbed her eyes and looked at Kevin hoping he would have backed her up. “Jessica, I understand all of that but with everyone searching for Charles I feel it would be better if we ask our guests about it. Who knows one of them might have a lead.” Julie tried one last time to plead her case. Kyle was hiding something, whether it was about Charles' disappearance or about Steph she didn't know but she needed to know either way.

Jessica shook her head. “I will interrogate them,” She stated with finality.

Julie looked over at Kevin but he kept his eyes fastened on Jessica. She let out a groan of frustration and got out of the room as fast as she could.

She stormed back to her room and threw herself onto her bed. Staring at the ceiling she let her mind wander trying to figure out what she was going to do, how she was going to find out the information she needed. She decided she was just going to chance it, she was going to talk to Kyle and hopefully she would get the information she needed before Jessica realized what she was doing.

She rolled off the bed and and grabbed her journal that contained all of the information she had accumulated about Steph and her possible whereabouts. She traveled down the hall and looked all around making sure that no one was near when she opened the door to the holding rooms.

She stood at the plexiglass of Kyle's cell and drummed her fingers on the glass. “Kyle,” she called out. “I'll let you go if you give me what I want,” She held her breath. It was a risky gamble and she knew she could get in serious trouble but she hoped the information she got from him would be worth it.

Kyle was sitting up looking at her. “How do you have the authority...”

“I don't,” She interrupted. “I already told you I think Steph is behind Charles' disappearance. I also think since Nick is gone that she is the glue holding your little group together. I want her, not you.”

Kyle stood in front of her with the glass between them. Julie could see the dried spot where he'd spit at her earlier. “You would just let me leave?”

Julie nodded and held up her device. “You can have it if you give me useful information.”

Kyle licked his lips as he looked at the device. Julie knew he was debating it internally. If he stayed here he risked losing his memories, if he gave up the information she wanted he risked Steph's wrath. “How do I know you will honor your deal?” He asked.

“You will have to trust me,” She swung the device back and forth in front of his face. His eyes followed it like a dog following a meaty treat.

Without taking his eyes from the device Kyle questioned her. “But you killed Nick, how do I know you simply won't kill me too?”

Julie cocked her head and started to put the device in her pocket. “I guess if you aren't sure...”

“Wait,” He held out his hand indicating her wanted her to stop putting the device in her pocket. “I'll give you what you want.”

“There's a good boy,” Julie knew she was becoming dangerously close to being degrading but she hoped Kyle's desire to keep his memories and past would make him look past the inflections in her tone.

“She told a group of us that she was going to finish what Nick started before he was killed before his time,” Kyle glared at her. Julie shrugged her shoulders at his comment and waited for him to continue. “She's been there integrating herself with the doctor's staff.”

Julie tried to keep her face impassive as she let what Kyle was telling her register. “You are telling me that after Steph escaped from our holding cells that she went back to Germany nineteen eighteen to finish what Nick started with Hitler or his doctor?”

“His doctor, yes.”

Julie's ears burned with anger as she thought back to the days after Kevin was shot, volunteers had been sent back to Germany to see if Nick ever showed again. They were still there after Steph escaped, she was sure they were asked to look for her too. If she was there and they hadn't noticed. She thought back trying to remember who had been assigned to Germany. She couldn't remember the volunteers that were sent there but they obviously did not do their jobs if that is where Steph went.

“What was Nick's mission, the mission that she now wants to complete?”

Kyle shrugged. “I told you where she was, there was nothing in the deal about giving that information up as well.” He held his hand out waiting for her to slide the device through the slot that his food was delivered through.

“I told you I would give it to you if you provided me with useful information. Sure you told me where she went but I need to know what she has planned so that I can stop her, have a better chance of capturing her.” Julie crossed her arms across her chest. She could hear footsteps in the hall. If she didn't get her information soon she would have to leave with the information she did get already but she didn't want him to know that she was pressed for time.

Kyle stood looking at her for a few seconds before he caved. “She is going to stop the doctor from curing him.”

“That's it?” Julie questioned. It seemed like such a minute detail to mess with.

Kyle nodded his head. “That's it.”

Julie sighed, she could hear voices now. She had to leave with plenty of time, she couldn't be seen or they would put two and two together and figure out that she was the one who helped Kyle escape and then she might be rooming in his former cell.

Julie shoved the device through the slot and left the room quickly. She managed to turn down one of the side hallways before she saw Jessica and Kevin walk into the room with the holding cells. She could hear Jessica's raised voice. Kyle had taken no time leaving. She held her breath as she continued down the hall to her own room again. She hoped that neither one of them had seen her.

She opened her journal as she walked and read some notes she'd taken on Steph. She'd started as a volunteer shortly after Nick was given displaced persons to look for. She was his main researcher so they worked closely. When Nick left, Steph refused to believe what others were saying about him. Nobody was sure when she defected since she was working as an inside informant for Nick.

She reached her room and threw her journal down on top of her desk. She sat down and wrote on one of the blank pages. She wrote what Kyle just told her, then she wrote a note to Kevin telling him where she was going. She couldn't tell him what she'd done to get the information, she had to finish this herself. She would deal with the consequences after she captured Steph.

She sighed to herself and looked around her room before she got up to get ready to head back to the time she almost lost Kevin, back to Germany nineteen eighteen.

Chapter 6 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

A reason to be thankful for Wayne Newton and NOT AGAIN!!

Julie opened the door to the clothing room and looked around for Tessa. She had once confessed to Julie that she was glad when she was brought in to care for the clothes, that she felt at home with the clothing. It's like it was in her blood. A flash of concern for Tessa flitted through her head before she found the rack of clothes that she would need for her next jump.

She pulled the dress over her head, the same dress she wore six months ago. Memories of that day coming back to her. Seeing Kevin on the ground bleeding, Nick preparing to jump. Her own reaction to shoot Nick shocked both of them. She could see it in his eyes as he realized what had happened. Julie found the shoes and cringed, the shoes she stole from Steph that day. They fit well enough but they pinched her feet plus they had heels. Sighing heavily to herself she crammed her feet into the shoes and made her way to the jump room.

Julie pushed open the door and immediately went for the elastic belts to strap to her thigh. Since she had also grabbed a purse she had the room to take a few extra items with her for this jump. She knew she should not be going alone. Howie had made it clear after her stabbing and Kevin's shooting that all jumpers should be accompanied. He didn't know that she'd been sneaking out to look for Steph alone. Kevin knew, and as much as it annoyed him, he couldn't do anything about it for months. He tried to get her to promise that when he was better she would take him with her always. He was busy and she needed to go now, what if Steph was made aware of Kyle being captured and afraid he would give up information she jumped away?

After throwing some currency into her purse she grabbed a device off of the wall and attached it. She dialed the date and location, being careful to ensure that it was after she had returned the first time. She pressed the button to jump and was soon standing in an all too familiar alley. She glanced around seeing the crowbar about where she dropped it after smacking Steph upside the head with it. Julie smiled at the memory and made her way out onto the main street towards the hospital making sure to tuck her device away in the belt before she moved out of the alley.

As she approached she saw soldiers standing guard. She hadn't thought how she would get past them, she didn't even know any German. She moved along, walking past them. Maybe she could find another entrance.

She wandered down familiar streets and found her way onto the street where Nick disappeared for good, where Kevin was shot. She walked around looking for anything. Nick was in this area for a reason after he had been turned away by the guards. Julie looked up towards the building but could not see another way to get inside.

She pulled her coat tighter around her and turned to start back. She would find a hotel for the night and figure out how to get to Steph in the warmth of the indoors. Julie wandered down the streets and cursed at herself. She didn't even know enough German to figure out which building was the hotel. “Damn,” she mumbled and kept wandering. She walked through streets finding a market where she found a few items to eat. While she purchased them she attempted to communicate with the woman behind the counter that she was looking for a place to sleep. She pressed the palms of her hands together and lay her head on them. The woman behind the counter smiled and began to speak rapidly in German, pointing in a direction. That was the only information she got out of the conversation so she smiled and nodded to the woman then left.

Julie walked in the direction the woman pointed but with no luck. She could not find what building the woman was referring to. So, she tried again with a random person walking down the street. She stopped them and pressed the palms of her hands together again. The person pointed to a building next to them and quickly ran away from her. It was only natural after the end of a war to be wary of strangers, she couldn't blame them.

She entered the building and put some currency on the counter. The man nodded and took her upstairs to a room that was decorated in only a bed and a desk. She smiled and thanked the man in one of the few German phrases she knew “Danke schoen.” The man turned to leave, closing the door behind him as she thanked Wayne Newton silently in her head.

She sat down on the bed and looked out the lone window hoping she would be able to see the hospital from where she was. No luck. She sighed and leaned against the wall thinking.

“How am I going to get in there?” she asked herself out loud. “How am I going to find her?” She stood and watched the people on the street below coming and going. She started to unbutton her coat but the familiar site of Steph stopped her. She quickly ran out of the room and down the stairs searching the streets for the woman she just saw.

She caught sight of the coat she remembered seeing Steph wearing as she watched from the window and started to follow the woman. The woman she followed weaved through the streets with ease, Julie had troubles keeping up.

When she rounded a corner she was thrown off balance as she avoided an arm jutting out to hit her.

“I thought I smelled you,” Steph hissed as she swung her arm towards Julie again.

“You really didn't learn from last time?” Julie fired back. “I seem to recall a broken wrist and a very bruised face.”

“That won't happen again,” Steph crouched low to the ground and swept her foot out at Julie, catching her off guard she soon found her ass on the ground.

Julie jumped back up and threw her own punch at Steph, catching her in the side of her gut immediately followed by a kick to her right knee. “You sure about that?” Julie asked as the other woman backed away to regroup.

Steph charged at Julie swinging her arms wildly at her, aiming for any and every part of her body. Julie put her arms up to block most of the hits, a few managed to make it through, one to her kidney and another to her left shoulder. Julie ducked down to avoid another hit, this time she swept her leg out and knocked Steph over.

She moved to grab a hold of Steph, to return with her but Steph managed to roll out of the way. She reached inside of her pocket and pulled something out. Steph's hand was closed tightly around the item, Julie was unable to see what it was.

Julie sighed when Steph ran at her again. “You've got to be kidding me,” She blurted out as she prepared to defend herself. Those hours of training with Kevin definitely were paying off today. Steph threw her left arm out towards Julie, easy to block but what Julie didn't see was Steph's right arm flying towards her arm jabbing something onto her neck. She did not feel a needle but she knew she'd been injected with something. She felt woozy and stumbled backwards.

Steph put the item back in her pocket and walked slowly, taunting Julie. “Good luck,” Steph smirked and then turned to leave the alley, quickly dissolving back into the crowd on the streets only a few feet away.

Julie clutched at her neck where she'd felt the substance enter her body. She rubbed her neck and attempted to stand. She would go back to the hotel and regroup. When she got to her feet she immediately fell back down. Pain filled her stomach, at the same time she felt the urge to purge the small contents she'd eaten a short time ago.

“Fuck,” She yelled out as the pain overcame her and she found herself jumping from the streets of Germany nineteen eighteen without the aid of the device still securely tucked inside the belt on her thigh.

Chapter 7 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

What the hell is happening?

She wasn't sure where she was after she jumped. Once her body re-adjusted from the jump, pain racked her stomach and she was jumping again. Again, when the pain subsided but before she looked around to get an idea of where she was, nausea swept through her and she doubled over jumping again. All the years she randomly jumped from time period to time period, she never had jumps this close together.

After the third jump she curled up on the ground, she didn't even bother looking around to determine where she was. She hoped that if she kept her eyes closed and didn't try to look around, maybe that would keep her from jumping.

Keeping her eyes closed Julie reached into her belt feeling around for her device. Fingering it she pulled it out and brought it up to her chest hugging it tight. She needed to get back to Howie, he would know what happened to her and why she was randomly jumping. What was it that Steph injected her with?

Ever so slowly, Julie opened her eyes and looked down at her device. Her heart crushed as she realized the device was smashed. She fidgeted with the dials but nothing would dial correctly. She refused to even try to jump using the faulty device, she did not need her atoms spread through time because the device was broken.

The nauseous feeling from the consecutive jumps was starting to subside so Julie decided to sit up and take a look around where she was, to see if she could figure out what time she was in and maybe why she just randomly jumped again.

She was lying in an alleyway, off to her left a busy street with plenty of cars driving by. She was glad that she ended up in the alleyway and not where many people could watch the scene she just put on. Or worse, at least she didn't end up in the middle of the street and oncoming traffic.

Carefully she stood and made her way towards the street, leaning heavily on the wall of the building next to her. When she reached the end of the alley she took in her location. She gasped as she realized that it looked very much like she was only streets away from The Library. Could it be that she was back?

She started wandering the streets hoping that she was in any time frame that The Library existed, if it was before twenty-twelve she was in trouble but if it was after that she could get inside and contact home.

She almost felt fully recovered by the time she turned down the street The Library was located on. She eyed the cafe that sat across the street and her stomach growled. She was always hungry after a jump. She wanted desperately to go inside and order a burger and a milkshake but she needed to find Howie, she needed him to fix her.

Julie climbed the stairs to the building The Library was in and pulled on the door, it didn't open. She sighed mentally slapping herself for forgetting that she needed to unlock the door with her palm print. She found the metal plate next to the door and placed her hand on it, the familiar warmth flowed through her and she heard the door lock click released.

She flew through the door, “Hello,” She called out. Nobody answered so she ran to the stairs to lead to the basement floors. “Hello,” she called out again.

“Julie?” Erika questioned.

“Oh thank god!” she exclaimed as she pulled Erika into an embrace, startling her.

“What's going on?” Erika asked.

“I need to speak with Howie,” Julie started running down the hall to Howie's office. She had to get it straightened out again before she started jumping randomly.

“Julie,” Erika called after her. “Where have you been?”

She hadn't been gone that long that people were already starting to wonder and look for her, had she? She thought back to Germany, she wasn't even there a full day and all the little jumps, those couldn't have taken more than an hour. “What do you mean?”

“You've been gone for two weeks, nobody could find you. Kevin is out searching for you, he is worried sick. We were beginning to fear the worst. Kevin showed us your note, why did you think going after Steph alone was a good idea? Where have you been all this time, were you captured?”

Julie shook her head. “I've only been gone for at most half of a day.” She turned back and started back down the hall towards Howie's office. “I need to talk to Howie, something strange is going on.”

She knocked lightly and opened the office door a crack. “Hello,” she called out quietly. “Howie?” The lights were on and she saw Howie's back to her.

“Julie?” he questioned as he turned around. “Where have you...” Julie held up her hand to stop him.

“I haven't been gone two weeks, I am not sure what is going on but something is happening to me.” She pulled out her broken device. “Yes I went after Steph alone, it might not have been my best move but I am impulsive, you all know that. I found her and we got into a fight, she injected me with something and I started randomly jumping again. Howie I thought you said I would never encounter chemicals that would make me jump like that again?”

“Did I? I don't recall having that conversation with you, but it is true. To encounter all the correct chemical components to start randomly jumping again would be extremely difficult. You say you started again though?”

Julie nodded, “Almost right after Steph injected something into my neck.” Julie touched the spot on her neck that Steph, she felt a small bump there now.

“Let's run some tests,” Howie indicated for her to sit on a nearby stool so that he could take some blood.

“Can you inject me again with that stuff so that I won't jump?” Julie asked anxious. She did not want to be home and then randomly jump away again.

“I can't inject you if I don't know the cause. If I inject you again you could lose the DNA altogether and be incapable of time travel.” Howie laid it out for her. She thought about it for a brief minute, being unable to jump she would never randomly jump again but then she also would be of little or no use to the project.

“I'll wait.” She turned when the door to the room was slammed open, a worried Kevin searching for her.

“Julie,” he breathed out in relief. “I happened to be back for some supplies before going off to look for you again when Erika told me you were back.” He grabbed hold of her and held her tight. She had to admit it felt good to be in his arms after not knowing when she would see him again. “Never do that again, I couldn't bear it,” he whispered.

“What happened?” He asked after he regained composure and let her go. She grabbed hold of his hand and pulled it into her lap holding it for comfort.

“I just told Howie that I have only been gone for maybe half of a day. I went to find Steph and when I caught up to her, we fought, again.” She rolled her eyes before Kevin could say anything about the fighting. “When I thought I had her, she managed to get free and pulled out this device, I don't know how to describe it except to say it was tubular. She injected me with something but I know I did not feel a needle pierce my skin. I felt horrible pretty much right away and then shortly after I started jumping without the aid of my device.”

“I took some blood and will run some tests. Why don't you take her back to her room and let her recover.” Howie looked at Kevin. “Not like this is going to be a hard assignment but hold tight to her, our only hope if she jumps again is if you are holding her. It's a long shot, but, it's the best thing I can come up with right now.”

Still holding Kevin's hand tightly, Julie stood up and moved with him to the door. “Let me know as soon as you have something,” She said over her shoulder to Howie before leaving the room with Kevin and heading to their own.

Kevin pulled her close as they walked, “I missed you.” He whispered above her head.

Julie leaned closer to him allowing him to wrap his arm around her shoulder. She would like to return the sentiment but to her she'd been gone only a few hours not weeks. What exactly was she injected with?

Chapter 8 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

A nice quiet meal

Kevin and Julie walked hand in hand back to the room they shared. Kevin's grip on Julie's hand was vice-like. It was almost as if he was afraid that if he let go of her hand she would immediately jump away from him.

They reached their room and Kevin locked the door. Julie noticed that her clothes had all been picked up and placed in the laundry basket; all of the papers on her desk had been straightened. Kevin had been asserting himself in her room, she wasn't sure she liked him cleaning up. How was she going to know where he put everything?

She was startled out of her thoughts when she felt Kevin's arms holding her tight. The sound of his heart beating in his chest comforted her and she melted further into his arms, wrapping her own around him. She could have stayed like that forever, warm and secure in his arms. All too soon Kevin was pulling back, keeping his hands on her shoulders as he held her gaze.

“Never do that again!” He said in a slow, clear voice. “If you are going to jump, take another volunteer.”

Julie couldn't help but narrow her eyes. She knew he was saying things out of concern for her safety but she was an adult. “Would you be saying the same thing to AJ or Erika if it had happened to them?” She asked him, brushing his hands off of her shoulders.

“Julie, that's different,” he started to explain.

“How is it different? Because you aren't involved with them?” She sat down on the bed, leaning backwards, her legs crossed.

Kevin sat down next to her and dropped his head into his hands. “You are a volunteer like the rest of us, you should be able to go on missions alone, it's just that...” He picked his head up and looked at her. “You know I love you, I really don't know what I would do if you never came back again. But I also know I can't stop you. I saw your notebook full of information you compiled on Steph. I know you are making it your mission to find her and bring her in.”

Julie nodded in reply. “You know I love you too.” She turned towards him and put her hand on his face. “I can't promise I won't jump without saying anything to anyone first again, especially if I am randomly jumping again. If I get a lead on Steph, I will go after her.”

Kevin nodded and pulled her close, pressing his lips to hers. “Please take me with you next time,” was all he whispered before kissing her again.

A knock at the door interrupted their discussion, Kevin quickly stood and moved away from Julie despite the door being locked and nobody could barge in on them. “Hello?” He called out as he approached the door.

“Hey, AJ and I are going to grab a bite to eat across the way, would you care to join us?” Erika's voice came from behind the door. She smiled at Kevin and Julie warmly as the door was opened to reveal her standing there.

Kevin looked back at Julie; she nodded and stood grabbing her wallet as she headed out the door. Erika linked her arm through Julie's and started chattering about all that happened the last couple of weeks. Tess and Justin had been promoted to full-fledged volunteers and had been sent on their first mission to bring back a rogue. The woman escaped them but they made a good team and Jessica was pleased with their progress.

They met up with AJ who was already sitting at a table sipping a steaming beverage. Julie smelled the coffee before she sat down. “That smells delicious,” She said as she took her seat next to Kevin. The cafe was older and needed some updating but it had a comfortable feeling for her and the other volunteers. It was one of the few unchanging things in their lives.

“We kind of heard through the grapevine that you are randomly jumping again,” AJ spoke up as he pushed his slightly chipped mug towards her, letting her take a sip.

She thanked AJ for the sip and ordered her own when the waitress came around. She then recounted what transpired between her and Steph in Germany. And the confusion that followed as she jumped through time. “Howie took some blood and is supposed to let me know as soon as he finds anything out,” She finished as the waitress came back to take their food order.

Julie noticed Tessa and Justin walking into the cafe and waved them over. She then cringed remembering she was not alone. “Do you mind?” She asked everyone else. Kevin shook his head, Erika glanced quickly at AJ but both of them responded saying they did not mind.

The two newest volunteers pulled up a couple of extra chairs as the others moved closer to each other to make room. “So I heard you two are now actual time traveling volunteers,” Julie smiled at Tessa, she knew Justin but not well.

Tessa nodded. “I am still getting used to the feeling. They tell me, though, that when when you randomly jump the feeling is more intense?” She looked at Julie who stopped drinking her coffee so she could answer her friend.

“The feeling comes from the pit of your stomach, there is an intense pain and I would feel sick to my stomach every time a jump was coming on. Then, when I arrived I would be hungry,” She took a large bite of her sandwich that finally arrived. She'd been fighting off hunger pains since she arrived back after her consecutive jumps.

Tessa took a sip of water before she spoke again. “How many rogue volunteers do you think are out there?”

Kevin shrugged his shoulders. “We know there are at least six or seven from when Julie rescued AJ from their camp in China, but that was not their only camp. It's likely the numbers are higher since we have three in custody ever since Kyle escaped.” Kevin's voice sounded irritated as he spoke, Julie kept her eyes on her food and could not bring her eyes to look at Kevin or the others.

They finished lunch discussing the recent cases and the searches for the rogue volunteers. Kevin kept his hand on Julie's leg the entire meal, apparently still afraid she would jump any instant. AJ and Erika had a mission they were scheduled to leave on so they said their good-byes to the group and left first so they could prepare what they needed leaving Kevin, Julie, Tessa and Justin still sitting around sipping coffee and water.

“Has there been any news about Charles yet?” Justin asked; his face full of concern.

Kevin shook his head but did not speak on the matter. Julie assumed it was something he and Howie were in charge of, working with Jessica to determine what happened to their founder, the one who came up with all of their new ideas to make the project a success. There was silence as it seemed both Justin and Tessa were waiting on a response from Kevin about the search.

Julie looked at her watch and back at the others, Tessa's bright blue eyes staring at her startled her. The woman was looking at her intently, like she was searching for something. It unsettled Julie; Tessa had never looked at her like that before. When she noticed Justin, he was looking at her much in the same way. Then suddenly, it was like Tessa and Justin realized what they were doing and looked away embarrassed.

“I'm sorry, Julie,” Tessa apologized brushing back a strand of her dyed blond hair. “I am just fascinated by people who randomly jump. Justin and I were talking about it and we were wondering if it looked different to people. I guess we were waiting to see if it was going to happened while we sat here.”

Julie cocked her head to the side and wondered why they would think she was going to jump at that moment, and then she shrugged it off. They were new, they were curious. Justin looked at Tessa and tapped his watch. The usually quiet, dirty blond man stood and held his hand out for Tessa. “We have training.” He spoke as Tessa stood.

“Well, thanks for letting us join you, it's been great! Julie I hope that Dr. Dorough figures out what is wrong with you.” She smiled warmly at Julie then waved to Kevin before she and Justin headed out the door and back across the street to The Library.

“That was a bit strange,” Julie commented looking at Kevin.

Kevin nodded and finished his coffee. “I see we got stuck with the bill.” He sighed and pulled out his wallet. He had no issues covering the tab. It made Julie wonder, none of them had jobs outside the project, yet no one was short of cash.

“How come no one has need of money?” She asked as they walked out of the building and started crossing the street.

Kevin laughed and put his arm around Julie. “I know we have a few corporations that sponsor much of the research Charles does. He doesn't just work on the project. He has other research and some inventions that aid businesses.”

“But we don't get paid, we are volunteers.” Julie stated.

“True, but they see to our needs. We live here, there are a few vehicles provided in case travel is needed. We have no bills, the only outside expenses we might have are personal items for our rooms or eating out and the project gives everyone a stipend for those sorts of things.”

“So where's my stipend?” She asked poking his side as they entered The Library.

“It's in an account for you,” Kevin said.

“How come I didn't know about this account?” She asked. She could have bought some new clothes, she was needing new undergarments in a bad way.

Kevin didn't answer her question; instead he stated they should visit Howie to find out what he discovered. They walked down the long white hallway and knocked on the metal door to Howie's office to find out why Julie was randomly jumping again.

Chapter 9 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Howie's lab is spooky

No matter how many times Julie went into Howie's laboratory she felt uneasy about what was going to happen to her while she was there. When they got there, Howie was nowhere to be seen so Kevin opted to go look for the man leaving Julie alone in the lab by herself.

To fight her nerves, Julie started looking around at some of the papers on his desk hoping she would find her paperwork and read it before Howie could possibly swing it a different way. She found no papers with her name but one other caught her eye and she continued to read. Her eyes glanced over it and she quickly put it back when she heard the door open to allow Kevin and Howie to enter.

She tried to process what she saw before Howie started talking to her about her condition. It appeared as if Howie had applied for a grant for some of his research and he was denied. There was also mention of Charles and how the company the grant was from wanted him on the project or there would be no money. Julie couldn't imagine what it was like for someone who was obviously very intelligent, like Howie, to live in the shadow of Charles.

“Good news Julie,” Howie smiled warmly at her as he approached her. She avoided looking at the papers afraid he would figure out she was snooping if she did.

“Yes?” she asked smiling and glancing at Kevin. “I won't jump anymore?”

“I do not see any changes to your DNA. It is stable and I see no reason that you should jump again, randomly. I read your report, and though it was written hastily, you mentioned something about a fight with Steph. I examined your device and it appears that when you fought the device broke and spurred your sudden, random jumping.”

Julie took in what she was being told. She supposed it could be possible that Steph broke her device, but she didn't recall ever being hit or kicked on her thigh. She also did not recall landing on her leg where the device was. It was a logical explanation though and it put her mind at ease when she accepted it as fact.

“Was there anything in my blood? She did inject me with something; I did not make that up.” She didn't think anyone thought she was lying but she wanted to know about the injection. The way she felt afterwords could not have meant she gave Julie a vaccine, it had to be bad.

Howie looked at the papers in front of him and flipped through a few times before he answered her. “I did detect a small virus in your blood stream. It was likely she injected you with a larger dose that you would feel the effects and then she could make her escape. The virus would have a hard time sustaining itself through your jumps, so it's likely that the multiple jumps helped wipe it out and now your body is fighting off the remainder of the virus.” Howie patted her arm. “I suggest you go back to your room and get some rest and fight off the remainder of that virus so you are in tip top condition to continue the search for Steph.”

Julie nodded and pulled Howie into a hug. “Thank you,” she told him, relieved that she was done randomly jumping. She walked towards the door and turned back waiting for Kevin.

“Howie and I have things we need to discuss,” He looked at her apologetically. She was a little disappointed and she could tell that he would rather be joining her in their room too instead of meeting with Howie. She was sure he was relieved she wouldn't jump too, but now the search for Charles needed to resume. “I will hopefully be there soon,” he smirked at her and she grinned back at him. For now she would have to settle with resting alone.

On her way back to her room Julie stopped by the clothing room to visit with Tessa. She entered the room and was a little disappointed when she did not see her friend. She must have still been in a briefing with Jessica. Julie sighed and made her way back towards her own room jumping slightly when she opened the door and almost ran into Justin.

“Hi,” She said, “don't you have a training to be in?” She asked him playfully, perhaps he had ditched out early.

“That ended ten minutes ago, I was looking for Tessa so we could go over our new mission.” Justin said straight faced.

“She's not here; I thought she was with you.” Julie added before shrugging. “She's probably changing or in the restroom, you know how us ladies are, especially when we find out we are going on a mission without the finer things in life, like showers and proper toilets.”

Justin only looked at her, not even a smile breaking out on his face. She stepped aside as he entered the room and walked towards the chair Tessa usually sat in. Julie shrugged her shoulders and exited the room. She's always thought Justin was a strange one when he first became a volunteer. He seemed distant from everyone, but he was like a puppy with Tessa. He followed her everywhere. Maybe it was how he showed her that he cared for her?

Julie shrugged it off and continued walking to her room. She sighed when she walked inside and threw herself down on the bed after shutting the door. She felt comfortable and it didn't take long for sleep to overcome her. When she woke up she felt a body next to her, she was now under the covers as well. She must have slept until Kevin came in for bed. She knew he was not one for napping.

She threw her arm over him and snuggled closer sighing in comfort. Her eyes started to drift closed again when Kevin rolled over to face her, only it wasn't Kevin. Nick lay there, next to her, smiling at her, his eyes twinkling in delight. Julie screamed and sat straight up in her bed, she looked around. Nobody was in the bed next to her and she was still on top of the covers. She looked at the clock next to the bed; she'd only been asleep for thirty minutes.

She walked into her bathroom and ran a cloth under cold water and proceeded to pat her face. “He's dead,” she told herself. Shaking herself she wandered back into the room and threw herself on the sofa, flipping on the television. It always amazed her how she went from a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen and living room to sharing a room with a bed, sofa and tiny bathroom and she was happier.

She found a station that played reruns and settled down to watch episodes of shows that were new in twenty-twelve. Just as she got comfortable on the couch her eyes started to drift closed again.

“Julie,” a soft voice spoke to her. She blinked her eyes a few times and smiled when she saw Kevin sitting on the floor next to her running his fingers through her hair. “That meeting went longer than I thought it would, I'm sorry.” He kissed her forehead. “Are you feeling any better?”

“I wasn't really feeling bad to begin with, just had a fear of randomly jumping again.” She sat up so Kevin could sit next to her. He sat and pulled her into his arms.

“I like this,” she whispered to him as they sat watching the television. They were both at rest; it was rare for them to spend time together. They had just started talking about dinner plans when Julie felt the all too familiar feeling growing in the pit of her stomach. She keeled over, Kevin's arms still wrapped around her.

“Julie?” Kevin questioned her.

The nausea overcame her and the pain made it unbearable to move or speak. She screamed as she felt the world around her slip away. Howie was wrong, she could still jump randomly. She could only hope that with Kevin holding her he would go with her, he was wearing his device.

Chapter 10 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

First Amendment is an important right...

 

She really hated randomly jumping. Not only did it make her feel like crap when she arrived at her destination, but more often than not she was lying face down when she arrived. Julie could feel her face starting to itch and the smell of grass making it apparent she had reached her destination.

“Kevin?” She asked as she bolted up and looked around. She grabbed a handful of grass and pulled it up throwing it out in front of her when she realized Kevin did not travel with her. “Dammit!”

She looked around trying to gauge what time period she was in. Judging by the few people walking around it looked like she was in the late sixties possibly the early seventies. Some of the people were carrying books heading towards buildings not far off. They were students, she was on a college campus.

She debated with herself if she should stay where she was was or if she should move closer to the buildings. If she stayed put she had less of a chance of altering history or being found out. If she moved closer to the buildings she might be able to figure out where she was and find a way to get a message to the future. She noticed a gathering of students near a large grassy area towards the middle of the campus.

She fell in step behind a guy walking towards the buildings. “Hey,” She ventured to talk to him. “What's going on?” She pointed to the gathering students.

“Protesting the war.” He replied and sped up his walking. He walked past the protestors and into a nearby building. Leaving Julie standing in the open she wandered closer to what looked like a common area. Protesting a war, the style of clothing the students were wearing. It was a Vietnam War protest she was sure of it. But it did not answer her question as to where she was, or even when. Protests happened frequently during the duration of the war.

She noticed more gathering but even more filing into the buildings. She saw a sign with the name of the school, it appeared to read 'Kent State University.' The name sounded familiar but she couldn't think of anything immediately that came to mind that happened. The group grew in size. Julie guessed there were probably over a thousand people gathered now.

She walked towards the protestors anxious to see a war protest up close. She was sure there would be enough people in the crowd that she could go unseen. She could listen to what was being said, she didn't have to actively participate. When she got closer the sound of a ringing bell startled her and she jumped slightly.

The protest had begun, she only got to listen for a few minutes as soon another group approached dressed in riot gear and a voice coming from somewhere else was asking the group to disperse. The group wasn't budging, their shouts continued, many of them turned to the national guard and yelled at them.

“Shit,” Julie muttered as she suddenly remembered about shootings that occurred during a war protest in Kent, Ohio at the University. She scanned the faces of the group, catching a familiar face in the group of National Guard. She squinted her eyes to try to get a better look at the guy. She had to be seeing things, Nick was not there, he was not dressed as a member of the National Guard about to open fire on the students. She shook her head then turned to move away from the group.

She was still in the thick of the group when she heard the Guard open fire. She grabbed the person closest to her and dropped to the ground. As she lay on the ground holding the other person she mentally slapped herself. What if this person was one of the ones who was supposed to be injured, or worse, killed at the protest that day?

The sound of the bullets and screams from the students seemed to be all around her. What she slightly recalled was only a few seconds in history seemed to feel like an hour as she crouched on the ground.

When the firing was finished she continued to stay close to the ground. She couldn't remember if anything more happened. After a few minutes the person next to her stirred and stood up, she followed suit taking in the scene in front of her. Most everyone was looking around in shock about what had just happened. Screams were coming from every which way. She could see professors moving students around, trying to organize them to get them off of the campus and home to safety.

Julie started to run the opposite direction, she didn't get far though.

“Hey,” Someone shouted after her. She didn't stop to look who was calling her. She just ran. Before she could get too far she fell to the ground, the pain in her stomach taking hold of her.

She was relieved when she opened her eyes that she was no longer on a college campus and she was not laying face down anywhere. She looked around, a large group was still gathered not far from her but judging by the clothing and the buildings that surrounded her, she was no longer in the seventies. She knew this image, she couldn't forget it, she lived through it. She was looking at the Occupy Wall Street protests.

Another protest, she could either hang out with the group, she might be able to find a way to get something back to the project or Kevin, or she could leave the scene before something happened. She couldn't remember exactly what happened during the protests, she had a vague idea about them, some memories of police violence. She chose the latter and moved away from the group, walking among the throng of people going about their day on the streets of New York. She did not know the streets well so she just kept walking, hoping she would not end up anywhere she would regret. She definitely did not want to head down any alleys in New York so she hid in the open.

As she turned down a street to further distance herself from the protest happening on Wall Street, she noticed a blond man walking towards her. The man's hands were shoved in his pockets and the collar was turned up but there was no mistaking the face. Julie turned and quickly started walking in the other direction, the pace he was walking at, he would soon overcome here.

As she ran across the street a car squealed to a halt and she stopped staring at the driver, her heart beating a mile a minute in her chest. She forgot to keep moving.

“Ma'am are you okay?” A man behind her asked. The man in the overcoat was standing behind her, grabbing her elbow to help her cross. As they finished crossing, Julie stared at his face. It was not Nick's face she saw, the man looked nothing like Nick now that she saw him closer.

“Are you alright?” he asked her again, concern apparent on his face.

“I'm fine,” she managed to mutter.

“Something looked like it spooked you back there,” he smiled to her as people pushed past them to cross the street.

“It was nothing; I just remembered that I left the kettle on at home.” She lied. The man shrugged accepting the excuse and continued walking to where ever it was he was going before.

Julie took a few deep breaths and sat down at a table at an outside cafe. It wasn't long before a server was asking if she could get her anything. Julie asked for water and a sandwich after she remembered she still had her wallet with her.

She tried to relax as she waited for her sandwich. She hoped that she would not jump through time again before she had a chance to get food in her stomach. She groaned as she felt pain in her stomach, but sighed when it made a gurgle noise instead of increasing in pain. She was just hungry.

The sandwich did not take long and she devoured it, drinking the water down just as fast as she could. The server refilled her glass twice before she finished her sandwich. Julie threw some cash down on the table, glad she still carried money from twenty-twelve in her wallet most of the time instead of twenty-thirty currency she still felt was strange. Not that many people in twenty-thirty used cash. Most of them used a card or had been implanted with a chip that when scanned automatically took the money.

Julie stood and felt her stomach rebel at the food that she put in her stomach. Her stomach cramped and soon was screaming out in pain. She moved away from the cafe and down the nearest alley. Nobody needed to see her disappear. She leaned against the wall and waited for the nausea. Almost as if on cue, the nausea swept through her and she crouched low as everything swept through her.

When the pain and nausea ceased, Julie opened her eyes and looked around. She was on the steps of The Library. Confused, she took advantage of the location and ran up the stairs, pressing her palm to the pad. The warmth flowing through her was welcoming. She ran inside and back downstairs to find Howie to let him know that it had happened again.

She sighed in relief when Kevin appeared in the hallway. “Did you jump? I was just holding you, you screamed out and I tried to hold you as tight as I could so I would go with you.” He took her in his arms as they continued to walk to Howie's office. So the jumps did not take two weeks from her this time. She smiled up at Kevin and started to relive what she had seen, minus confusing the man for Nick.

Chapter 11 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie remembers what Edith taught her...

“I still do not see anything wrong with your DNA that could be causing you to jump randomly. However the virus I detected earlier seems to have grown in size. It seems that jumping did not kill the virus, but is causing it to spread.” Howie patted her shoulder.

Julie had wished Kevin could stay with her as she discussed what happened to Howie, but Jessica had called him into an urgent meeting concerning Charles.

“So the virus is getting stronger. Could this be what is causing me to jump?” She asked hoping that it was the answer, that Howie had a treatment he was going to get ready so that he could administer it to her.

“It is unusual and I have taken a sample. I plan to examine this further to see if anything is unusual about it. I know Charles thought that certain viruses might impact a traveler but it seemed that viruses could not survive the jumps themselves. Our volunteers are rarely sick because the jumps seem to act as a vaccine.” Howie was looking at the sample of blood taken from Julie, the sample he would be examining the virus from.

“I don't feel sick,” Julie protested. “The only time I feel ill is when I randomly jump.”

“If it is what is causing the jumps, it might not be an ordinary virus that makes you feel sick. The result of this virus could be the random jumping.”

Julie sighed as she got off of the stool. “Is it contagious?” She asked before she left, worried about Kevin's exposure or anyone else who she had been around.

“I have checked samples of blood from myself and Kevin. I do not see any evidence of the virus in our blood, so I would say it not contagious.” He smiled and she smiled weakly back at him. It was good news that she wasn't passing it along to others, but if this virus was what was causing her to jump and it was what Steph injected into her, why would she go to that trouble to make her jump around in time again?

Julie thought with Nick being killed and her a volunteer her confusion would end, but that did not seem likely, at least until she caught Steph. She needed to talk to someone, to confide in them. She would talk to Kevin, even though she originally omitted that she thought she saw Nick. She didn't want to worry him more, but now she wanted to tell him. Unfortunately, he was still in a meeting with Jessica.

It seemed Kevin was always in a meeting with Charles, and now Jessica, anymore. As much as she hated to admit it, she longed for the days that Kevin was on bed rest. Since Julie was still recovering as well, they got to spend days together, getting to know each other better.

She could always seek out Erika or AJ; maybe she could travel to twenty-twelve and visit with Brian. Though young Charles no longer needed looking after, Brian was still banished to The Library in twenty-twelve. Julie had been pushing Kevin to convince older Charles to let him come back now that Nick was gone. Charles was steadfast in having him finish out his punishment in twenty-twelve. Julie felt horrible since she was part of why he was stuck there.

She hardly visited Brian anymore since she did not want to chance getting him in more trouble. She made a mental note to talk to Charles herself when he came back and tell him what really happened; maybe he would let Brian come back.

Julie absentmindedly walked into the closet with all the clothing, Tessa's area. The other woman smiled and welcomed her warmly. Julie hadn't meant to turn here, but Tessa had always been a good listener so she smiled and said 'hello' back.

“What brings you here?” Tessa answered as she cleared a chair for Julie to sit on.

“They still have you doing this stuff even though you are a full volunteer now?” Julie asked as she took a seat.

“I like it,” she shrugged. “Keeps me calm, jumping through time freaks me out.” She laughed nervously.

The two women sat in silence. Julie had picked up an item and started to work on the hem that had come undone. It was quite relaxing, Tessa had a point. “I jumped again,” She threw out unable to stand the silence anymore.

“What?” Tessa stopped what she was doing and looked at Julie.

“I jumped twice, without a device. Both of them were to protests, one in the seventies and the other in twenty-eleven.”

“What happened?” Tessa asked intrigued now.

“Well at the first, a shooting, but it was supposed to happen. The second, I didn't stay around long enough to find out.” She ran the fabric of the clothing through her hands, nerves getting to her a bit with what she was going to admit to the girl next. “Both times I thought I saw Nick.”

“How could you? He's dead.” Tessa piped up immediately. “Is this part of that post trauma thing you said Howie said you had?”

“It could be.” She sighed and looked up at the girl. “I'm afraid I'm losing my mind.”

“Julie, I think you just need a break. Take some time off of for yourself.” Tessa patted Julie's leg to comfort her.

“I would love to do that, but without knowing when I'll jump I'm afraid there is no rest for me. And when I do rest, I see Nick in my dreams.” She shrugged. It had become common place for her but she wasn't sure how much she had already told Tessa.

Tessa just shook her head. “I was there Julie. Before I was trained, they pulled all volunteers of all levels to search for him. I was part of the team that found the site with the blood. There was so much blood; blood they tested to find out it was Nick's. There was no way he lived after losing that much blood.”

“I know, and I should let that be a comfort but I am still so jumpy.” She shook her head and started to sew the hem again.

“With perfect reason, he tried to kill you.” Tessa nodded. The two girls remained quiet, working side by side in silence for a while longer.

“So how goes the training and missions?” Julie asked, she had almost forgot that Tessa was on missions now.

“Justin loves them. I'm not sure of Jessica promoting us so soon. Doesn't feel right.” Tessa laughed uncomfortably. “It was bad enough when I had to help look for Nick, but now to be sent out to look for rogue volunteers. With everything that's happened to you and Kevin I am a little scared.”

Julie smiled. “We were an exception. Nick was after us and I've made an enemy out of Steph. When I've been sent after other rogues they don't try to kill me, just escape.” She laughed and looked at the other woman, worry still over her face.

“Let's get out of here and get some coffee.” Julie suggested as she stood and set the sewing down.

“Okay,” Tessa smiled and nodded setting her own work down. They turned out the lights and left the room. As they walked towards the stairs that lead up through The Library they heard loud voices coming from the stairs. Erika smiled at the other two girls as she stopped at the bottom of the stairs and waited for AJ and a man with his arms behind his back coming down the stairs.

The man was cursing them out as he was being drug down the stairs. “Hello Tessa, Julie.” Erika said as they walked by.

“When you two are done, we are grabbing some coffee if you want to join us.” Julie piped up. Her eyes falling on the man AJ had in custody. Tessa was holding tight to Julie's arm as she stood behind her. Julie watched the man walk by, his eyes falling on her in shock. Seconds later his lips pursed closed and he walked without complaint with the others.

“Sounds good,” Erika called back to them before turning to follow AJ and the rogue down the hall.

“What was with that guy, why did he look at you like that?” Tessa came out from behind Julie and asked her as they headed upstairs.

Julie shrugged. “The only thing I can think of is he thought I was dead. I mean Nick thought he killed me, he might have spread that around and this guy hadn't been told I was alive.”

They reached the top of the stairs and Tessa gasped. “Shit,” she said out loud.

“What?” Julie asked looking around them.

“I just remembered that Justin and I have a meeting with Jessica,” the woman looked at her watch before continuing. “And it's like now.” She looked at Julie apologetically. “I'm sorry, rain check?” She asked.

“Of course, If I am not jumping wildly through time, I would love to have coffee later.” She smiled and with nothing better to do, followed Tessa back down the stairs. Julie followed Tessa towards the meeting room, if Tessa had a meeting with Jessica then maybe Kevin would be done and she and he could spend some time together, finally.

Tessa looked back and Julie. “Why are you following...?” She started.

“Looking for Kevin,”she smiled just as Kevin walked around the corner. “Speaking of,” she took hold of Kevin's hand and started pulling him in the opposite direction. “See you later Tessa.”

“You and I are going to have some quiet time,” She winked up at him as they walked back to their room.

Chapter 12 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Time travel sucks sometimes...make that a lot of times

Julie closed the door and locked it. She approached Kevin and pushed him towards the bed. “After everything I've been through, I am not going to miss an opportunity to be with you. Especially, now since I won't know when I will jump again and what will happen to me on those jumps.”

She pressed her lips to his hungrily. She wasted no time and removed her own shirt, breaking their kiss to lift it over her head. Kevin followed suit, she could see the desire in his eyes. Both shed the rest of their clothing in record time. Julie wrapped both her arms around Kevin's neck, she could feel his hands running up and down her back. She let him pull her over to the bed. He lifted her onto the bed and eased himself over her, kissing her neck, breasts and stomach before she felt him thrust inside of her.

After attacking each other with fervor it wasn't long before Kevin was collapsing next to her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her close. Before Julie got too comfortable, she jumped out of bed and pulled on some clothes, then she climbed back into bed and ignoring Kevin's look, pulled his arms back around her.

“Sorry, did Howie fill you in? I might still jump at any moment, and the last thing I need is to jump in the nude.” She kissed him quickly on the cheek before settling in, her eyes starting to close.

“Julie, why do I get the feeling you left something out when you told me about the most recent jumps?” Kevin's breath on Julie's neck gave her goose bumps and she shuddered slightly.

Julie shrugged; did she really want to tell Kevin that she thought she saw Nick? Now that she'd confided in Tessa she wasn't sure she felt the need to tell Kevin and make him worry about her sanity. “I told you everything.”

Kevin sighed and sat up. “Julie, I know we haven't known each other for even a year yet, but I know you are lying. What is going on?”

She sat up next to him, pulling her legs to her chest. “In both of my jumps I swear I saw Nick.” She laid her cheek on her knees and looked towards him. “I thought he was a member of the National Guard when I was there during the Kent State shootings and when I was in New York, I could have sworn he was a man on the street walking towards me. I feel like I'm losing it.”

“We need to tell Howie...” Kevin said looking concerned.

“No,” Julie interrupted him. “I don't want Howie to know about this. I told you this not as a fellow volunteer but as the woman who loves you. I am still determined to capture Steph and if Howie finds out Nick has moved from my dreams and I am now seeing him, he would probably suspend me from missions. Though now that I think of it, I am probably already going to be suspended since I am a liability now.” She sighed and laid back down, her eyes starting to close when her head hit the pillow. She really was quite tired now.

She felt Kevin lay down next to her. “I am going to say something to Howie tomorrow.” He kissed her lips and pulled her close to him before his breathing became the steady pace of being asleep.

Julie bolted straight up, she looked at the clock, she'd been asleep for three hours. Kevin was still fast asleep next to her. She couldn't recall what she dreamed, but she knew Nick was in it. She groaned and rubbed her eyes, laying back down, pulling Kevin closer. He was now wearing boxers; he must have gotten out of bed at some point. She just started to get comfortable again when her stomach started to ache.

“No!” she cried out, Kevin sitting up next to her. He turned to look at her and that was the last thing she saw before her eyes were reopening to see what looked like possibly the middle ages, but she could not tell what country. She quickly moved out of view and into the darkness. Her breathing was heavy as she hid in the shadows.

She crept along the alley ducking behind anything that was there when she heard people coming. They all seemed to be walking towards a certain place so she walked in the opposite direction. Walking along the streets of New York in twenty-eleven to blend in was one thing but that would not work here.

She found a house that was empty, the occupants probably gathering where everyone else was gathering. She made her way inside and found a wardrobe with women's clothing inside. She said a silent 'thanks' and pulled out what was necessary for her to wear.

She ventured out of the room dressed in the clothing of the era and looked around. The home looked quaint, dirty but cozy. She sat on a chair and tossed her clothing from the future into the fire. She hadn't bothered with shoes since she had been in bed before she jumped, she didn't think it would matter if she continued to walk around barefoot now.

The flames licked her t-shirt, something in the pot over the fire was starting to smell good and Julie's stomach reminded her that she was hungry. She stood and looked in the pot; it looked like a stew of some kind. She searched for a bowl or a spoon to eat with when a noise from the back of the house startled her.

She stood frozen in her spot as her brain started to function again and she thought about the room that she was in. A fire was going, food was cooking, this wasn't modern day where you could leave food in a crock pot and go about your day. If there was a fire going someone would need to be nearby to tend it so that it did not burn down the house.

A small face peaked out from behind a wall leading to another room off of the kitchen. Without knowing where she was she did not wish to speak to the little girl to calm her down, speaking in a foreign tongue would frighten the child more. She held her hands out to show her she meant no harm and started to back up towards the door to make her escape.

“Who are you?” a voice came from behind. The words were English, despite sounding strange, she was able to understand them perfectly fine. She spun around to see a man standing in the door way, holding a loaf of bread in his hands. He dropped the bread and grabbed for Julie. She stepped on his foot and elbowed his face before running out the door.

She looked both directions before she started to run towards the direction the crowd was. Perhaps she could find the crowd and blend in. She looked back to see the man only a few paces behind her. When she turned back around she ran right into another person, knocking herself over. The man chasing her caught up to her and grabbed hold of her arms.

Holding her tightly, the man dragged her through the crowd until they reached a man who dressed in royal insignia. The two started talking about Julie; she could understand most of what they were saying, if not the words themselves. She took this time to glance around. She looked up at the buildings and noted their familiarity, what really stuck out were a few banners with what looked like an 'H' and an 'A' intertwined. There was something she read about those letters together, but she couldn't recall what.

The man who held on to her started pulling her harshly and handed her off to the other man. He then started to pull her away from the crowd. As they walked she managed to catch a glimpse of what looked like a stage, blood dripping down the front. Her heat beat faster; she hoped the man was not pulling her to that stage. She had a sinking feeling she was going to be taken up those steps and put in front of the crowd that was slowly dissipating.

Her heart almost jumped from her chest as they passed the stage and towards a smaller building. Her breathing was still quick but her heart stopped beating as rapidly. “That would be too good for you,” The man spoke, knowing what she was thinking, as he directed her into a smaller building and ultimately into a cramped cell.

Nothing was said to her as she was locked into the cell, the man grinned at her and walked back out of the building. Julie sat on the ground next to the door and leaned up against the wall. She had spent so much time in jails and being locked up since she started jumping through time. She started to wonder why she wanted to continue.

A voice at the door caused her to jump. “You will be burned for your thievery in the next few days. Then your soul will join the devil in hell.” The voice sounded angry as the words were spoken.

“Burning a thief?” She questioned. She had never heard of a thief being burned before. “I thought you took a thief's hand.” There was no answer, he was gone.

“Great,” she said to herself. “I am going to sit and wait to be burned, again. I can only hope I jump before then.” She moved to the slit of a window and looked out into the courtyard; the man who brought her into the cell was hammering something into the ground. Since it seemed executions were public, he was probably announcing her execution for those who wished to attend.

Chapter 13 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

The big day.. execution day

Julie paced back and forth across the small room she occupied. She hadn't been given much food over the last couple of days, not that she'd been hungry or even able to eat. Julie ran to the furthest corner of the cell and started to dry heave. For a split second she hoped that she would jump, but when she opened her eyes she still stood in the same stinky cell.

She wandered over to the window where she could see the pyre being built. She remembered the last time she'd watched her pyre being built. She had jumped before they could even tie her to the pyre and set the fire. She was wringing her hands hoping that she would jump any moment.

She stopped pacing and stood next to the window, watching the workers build, throwing the bundles onto the pile to make it larger. Her thoughts flew to Kevin, she'd thought about engraving into the stone work a message to Kevin but there was no guarantee that he would get it. Why would he wander around a tiny holding cell in England.

The one thing about being locked up is that Julie had enough time to think about what she saw before being locked up and what she had seen every day since. She had jumped to Tudor England. The 'H' and 'A' banners were for Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. She was certain that Anne had not been executed that day she was brought here; the banners with their initials together would not be hanging in the courtyard unless it had been a cruel taunt in her final moments.

A knock at the door caused her to jump. Tears started to fill her eyes as two men came to pull her out of the cell and drag her towards the pyre. “No, no, no...” she heard herself begging the men. Why wasn't she jumping? Would she really die this time? She could feel the bile rise in her throat, but was not the feeling she had before she jumped. She was terrified.

They reached the pyre and the men grabbed hold of her arms to tie them to the pole. She tried to pull out of their grip but she was unable, they were used to people fighting them, they knew how to hold on to her. Finally, she relaxed and let them get on with it. She saved her strength to think of Kevin in her final moments. Tears filled her eyes and she thought of how he would go on with his life never knowing what happened to her and how she died. Was this why he looked at her the way he did that day in twenty forty-five. Did he know she would die in this manner?
She was tied tightly to the pole, tears streaming down her face. She looked around at the crowd that amassed to watch her execution and wondered if they really saw this as only entertainment or if any of them were appalled at what was about to happen to her.

Through her tears she saw the fire coming closer to her, she felt liquid run down her legs but why should she care that she just peed herself? She was going to burn to death.

“Stop!” a voice called out and she looked around to find who said it. “That's my wife and she is no more a thief than I am.”

Murmurs swept through the crowd as people turned to see who was talking. Julie craned her neck to see if she could see who was speaking but through the smoke of the torches and the tears in her eyes she couldn't see anyone.

“Kevin?” she called out into the crowd.

One of the men who tied her moved to speak with the man who had spoke up and soon the torches were being doused in a nearby bucket. Julie was so relieved; she fainted, slouching awkwardly as she was still tied to the pole.

When she awoke she was lying in a bed, the room was dark. She sat up in the bed and noticed food and water next to her on a table. Her mind flitted through the thought of poison briefly, but why would someone save her from being burned only to poison her? She grabbed the water and sipped it, unsure how her empty stomach would handle the liquid. She picked up the bread and started to nibble it, alternating between a small bite of bread and a small sip of the water.

It wasn't long before he stomach felt comfortable and she was laying her head back on the bed and falling asleep again.

“I see that you've eaten and had some water,” a voice next to her bed startled her. She kept her eyes closed, slightly afraid of what would happen if she looked at her savior. The man had, after all, called her his wife. “I'm sorry I didn't get to you sooner, I never meant for that to happen.” The voice continued.

Julie held her breath as she realized whose voice she was hearing. She bolted up in the bed and looked straight into Nick's eyes. “No,” she mumbled and started moving away from him. She made it to the other side of the bed and jumped off, running for the door.

“Stop” he called out.

Julie froze with her hand on the door knob; perhaps she was putting Nick's face on a stranger's again like she had in New York. She slowly turned around to see Nick walking towards her. “Nick?” she questioned in a whispered tone.

“I'm not going to hurt you,” he held his hands palm up to show that he had nothing in his hands. “If I still wanted you dead, I would have let you burn.” He reached her and lightly grabbed her arm trying to guide her back to the bed.

“Nick?” she asked again.

“Yes, Julie, it's me, I did not die either.” He whispered in her ear.

Julie took the opportunity with his face close to hers and smacked him across the side of his face with her elbow. Then she took both of her fists together and punched his stomach. When he released her she bolted to the door and turned the knob.

She flew out of the room and towards the front door of the house. She managed to get out of that door too and she took off trying to get as far away from that house and Nick as she could. She ignored the pain in her feet and the weakness in her legs as she tried to find a place to hide from him.

She ducked down a narrow alley and moved into the darkness, her legs no longer allowing her to run, even to stand. She knelt on the ground, watching. She saw Nick run by the alley, apparently frustrated. Julie started to breathe deeply and slowly.

“Julie,” she heard him call out. “I know you are around here somewhere. Come out, I give you my word that I will not harm you, or Kevin.” She wanted to shout at him, to call him a liar but if she said anything her position would give her away. And though it was a narrow alley way, it would not be difficult for him to make his way in to retrieve her and, unfortunately, the alley was a dead end.

“Listen,” he spoke loudly. “I will be back at the house when you are ready. I need to talk to you; there is something important you need to know. I can tell you why you are randomly jumping.” he stopped talking, Julie's heartbeat still beating as if she had just stopped running.

He knew about her random jumps, instantly she knew he was the one behind them. Somehow he had found a way to make her jump randomly and used Steph to give her the catalyst. She thought briefly about going back to the house to have him explain what was going on, but she did not want to get trapped in Nick's web of lies again. It would be best if she stayed away from him, telling the project he was alive the first chance she got when she returned to twenty-thirty, if she returned.

She stayed in the alley until darkness started to fall, the air becoming chilly. She felt she had been hidden long enough. She needed to distance herself from Nick more, get further away so he had no chance of finding her.

She crawled out of the alley and started glancing around.

“About time you ventured out,” a voice above her spoke to her. She looked up just in time to see Steph's face before she clubbed her with what looked like a bat, rendering her unconscious for the second time in one day.

Chapter 14 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Now what's his game?

Julie groaned as she started to come around after being hit on the head by Steph. “What the fuck,” she muttered as she tried to rub her hand on her head but found that it would not move that far. She tugged harder but it was no use, she was chained to something next to the bed.

“I didn't want to have to chain you up, but you gave me no choice,” Nick's voice came from the shadows near the door and he stepped closer to the bed and into the light.

“I thought you didn't want to hurt me, but you let your minion clobber me over the head.” Julie snarled at him. She knew he could not be trusted.

A flash of anger went over Nick's face as he sat down. “I told her to wait for you to bring you back; I didn't think she'd club you.” He looked at her apologetically.

Julie managed to sit up, her head pounding with pain. “I don't suppose you brought any Tylenol into the past with you since you have no regard for the implications of the actions in the past.”

Nick shook his head, picking up the glass of water and handing it to her. She timidly reached out with the hand that wasn't chained and grabbed hold of it, sipping it as she glared at the man sitting too close to her for her comfort.

“I shot you, how did you live?” she asked between sips.

“I stabbed you, how did you live?” he shot back at her.

She continued to glare at him sipping her water. Finally, he sighed and started to talk. “I had set my device to a time I knew that no volunteer would look for me, but my rogues would venture. I traveled to the future. You'll understand why I won't tell you the exact date; many of my friends are there hiding from you and your friends.”

Julie raised her eyebrows and handed the now empty glass back to Nick. She watched as he ladled more from a pot into her glass and handed it back to Julie. She declined and pointed to the bread and fruit. Nick handed her the tray which she set in her lap and started to graze from it.

“So I had jumped to the future and I was found by a man that looked a little like Kevin it startled me. I knew it couldn't have been him, he could not still have been alive and since he wouldn't travel to the future, I relaxed and let him help me. He took me to a hospital where they tended my wound. So here I am, like it never happened.” He stood and lifted his shirt so she could see his chest, just as she remembered it, scar less and lean.

Julie couldn't help but think of their nights together as she sat looking at his chest. She licked her lips at the memories. Nick's laugh forced her to look back down at the plate of food in her lap. “Once you've had Carter, the rest will have to try harder.”

Julie groaned and rolled her eyes as he laughed at his own comment. “Well I see the future couldn't cure the dork in you.” She chanced saying.

“I have missed you, Julie. Believe me or not but I really have.” Nick moved to sit next to her on the bed, grabbing some fruit off the tray and reclining like the Romans as he ate them. “The future cured me of something else too,” he sighed. “While I was under for them to repair my bullet wound, they noticed an abnormality in my DNA.” He looked towards her like he expected her to know what it was he was getting at.

“I didn't realize what that had meant until I tried to jump and it didn't work.” Nick looked at the device on his arm. “I figured that they had taken that gene out of my DNA.” He sighed.

Julie wondered why Nick was sharing this with her. Did he really think that if he shared some of the hardships he came across after the she shot him that she would really care? “Why are you telling me this?”

“Be patient, it has everything to do with your current situation. Don't worry about jumping while I am in the middle of explaining either, I can promise you that won't happen.” He took another bite of the fruit he was holding.

“They found your blood, lots of it.” Julie spoke up remembering her conversation with Tessa.

“They found my blood but not all of it was mine.” Nick shrugged.

“But how?”

“I can't give all my tricks away Julie, though I have vowed not to hurt you and I've actually missed you, I still believe we are in disagreement about certain things.” Nick looked side long at her.

“Yah, like you wanting to change the past.” Julie muttered. Silence fell between them, both silently munching the fruit and bread on the plate. Every so often one would take a drink.

“Is that all you wanted to tell me?” Julie asked when the plate was finally empty and her stomach felt comfortable.

Nick shook his head. “No,” he replied. “When Steph finally found me we tried to figure out what could be done. She and I went everywhere together, I had to take her so that I could jump. It was risky though, if we were to get separated or what not.” He paused and looked into Julie's eyes. “Plus, it was awkward being around her. I had to take her everywhere. I mean, I knew she wanted to be with me but...”

“You mean you and her haven't?” Julie asked, a look of astonishment on her face. The way they acted in Rome she thought they were already doing the horizontal mambo.

“I can see where you'd think that, but no.” He leaned closer, a smile playing on his lips. “She is useful but contrary to what you might think, I do not sleep with all the women I have contact with.”

Julie let out a small laugh and moved away from Nick, his closeness was unsettling. Her heart fluttered when he smiled at her and she felt ill that she liked it. She had thought any feelings she had for Nick would have gone after he tried to kill Kevin, if they hadn't already been gone after he stabbed her in an attempt to kill her.

“I had to be able to control my jumps,” he continued seemingly unaware of the effect he had on Julie. “The only person I knew that could help me was Charles, but I couldn't just waltz in there and ask him, now could I?”

It dawned on Julie what he was saying and she reeled around to face him. “It was you, you kidnapped Charles!” She tried to slap him across the face but Nick anticipated the move and grabbed hold of her wrist.

“I needed him, I am not harming him. He is safe, I just needed him to help me.”

“How did you get him out? Like you said, you couldn't walk in there and neither could Steph.” She tried to pull her arm away from Nick's grasp but he continued to hold it tightly.

Nick shrugged and ignored her question, continuing to discuss his issues. “Charles tried to inject me with the gene to change my DNA again, but it did not work. So he came up with something that would allow me to control my jumps, but I would still have someone to jump with me.” Nick held her eyes as he licked his lips before continuing. “Somehow he was able to create a virus that would combine my DNA with the DNA of another person with that gene to go through time and you don't have to be near them for it to work.” He held her eye contact, his face closer to hers.

“The virus that Steph injected in me?” She started as she caught on to what Nick was saying. “I am jumping with you? So they aren't random jumps?”

Nick shook his head. “I chose you to be my companion on my jumps, I don't mind you with me as long as I can control the jumps. I have to apologize about those first few jumps I did to test it out. I had to make sure it worked.”

“How did I get back to twenty-thirty? And two weeks later at that?” She asked still pulling her wrist away, her left arm unable to come to the right arm's aid.

“Sorry about that,” He blushed and looked down slightly embarrassed. “I didn't know exactly when you left twenty-thirty and couldn't get you back exactly right.” He looked back up into her eyes. “I toyed with not letting you go back, the thought of you with Kevin. I admit it bothered me more than it should.” He dropped off and looked away, releasing her wrist. “I knew he lived...” he muttered before she could ask.

Julie sat quietly thinking about all she said. The virus was what Steph injected her with. Somehow it connected her to Nick so when he jumped she went with him. It would explain why he saved her from the fire but didn't explain why he chose her. Just because he didn't want to be around Steph was not an excuse and he had several other volunteers he could have asked or used.

“Why me?” She asked him finally.

Nick shrugged and turned to face her. One hand holding her right arm down, the other caressing her cheek. “I told you, I missed you. That and I need your help.” With that he pulled her close and let his lips fall on top of hers.

Chapter 15 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

He bring some shocking news

The feel of Nick's lips pressed up against hers made her heart flutter. Annoyed at herself for feeling that way and for him actually having the balls to kiss her, she bit down hard on Nick's bottom lip.

He moved away quickly, touching his bottom lip and checking it for blood. “Mmm, feisty.” He looked at her a flash of hurt crossed through his eyes, but as quick as it came it was gone. “I like that.” His lips curled in anger as he looked at her.

He moved to the bucket of water and grabbed a cloth nearby. He dipped the cloth in the water and held it to his lip. Sitting back on the chair, he held the cloth to his lip and resumed glaring at her. Julie pulled at her chained arm wishing that she could break it. Wishing she could jump away from here, though now she knew her jumps were not so random after all.

When pulling at the chain wielded no results, she dropped her arm and sat back watching Nick nurse his lip. She did not feel sorry for him, she was glad she caused him pain. So why did her heart flutter when he kissed her. This was the man that tried to kill her and then, when he thought she was dead, tried to kill Kevin as well. All for revenge due to a mistake Kevin made, which, unfortunately, killed the woman Nick loved.

She decided it would be best if she avoided thinking about that any longer. Her thoughts kept floating back to Kevin, what would he say if he found out what was going on, who was behind her jumps. He would set out to stop Nick, to take him in, possibly to kill him and be done with it once and for all. Julie wanted Nick taken out of the game, so why did she not want to think about Kevin finding out. She shook her head to get the thoughts out of her head, and then focused back on Nick.

“What do you mean you need my help? You need me to be your little travel buddy and jump through time with you so you can mess around in history and make changes to benefit you?”

Nick glared at her, his anger apparent on his face. “There is only one instance, one, that I would change that would benefit me. But others would benefit from Zoe living.”

Julie rolled her eyes. “How many years has it been Nick? Move on.” She knew she was being mean; but she wanted to see how far she could push him. She needed to know the limit. She expected to see Nick's eyes flare with anger, possibly for him to slap her across her face; instead, he dropped his head into his hands and sighed.

“I've tried.” He whispered to her astonishment. Before she could ask him what he meant, he was sitting up again looking at her. “You allowing me to jump is not the only help I need.”

“What do you mean? What kind of help do you need?” She glanced at him then remembered the last time she helped him. “Distracting me with sex won't work this time either.”

Nick shook his head. “My intent is not to seduce you.” His face looked crestfallen for a brief minute before he cleared his throat and continued speaking. “I stepped back from attempting to change history while I was unable to jump on my own, like I said; it was too risky relying on someone else. Instead, I focused on helping others complete their missions. It seemed impossible, everything we tried to change one of your group managed to stop us. We didn't think anything was being accomplished until our researchers found some changes that had been made unbeknownst to any of you.”

Julie held up her hand to pause Nick. “How did you know changes were or were not made? I thought The Library was the only building that stood outside of time, where the information was protected.”

Nick chuckled slightly and smiled at Julie. “Remember we have set up in the future. And don't be so cocky to think the project survives forever. The Library on the other hand will be around for a very long time. All it needs is a Librarian.”

Julie's thoughts flew to Brian. What all did his job entail?

“I've always expressed my desire to change things in history that were tragedies. To put things right that should not have happened. Making sure Hitler never rose to power, stopping the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. Others you will understand that I will keep secret to make sure you do not have a leg up when this is over.”

“This?” Julie asked confused. She wished she could get out of the chains. She desperately desired to make a break for it. She wanted to get back to the project and give Howie a heads up as to where they were hiding. She remembered when she first met AJ, something about the Librarian being able to project himself to different Libraries in time. Perhaps there was a way to use that to find where Nick and the rest were hiding, she was sure they'd have Charles there with them.

“This.” He repeated. “What I need your help with. I want to work with you to help the project accomplish what they set out by stopping those who were changing history.”

“You want back in to put a stop to you and your friends?” She asked. She was confused and quite frankly she was sick of being confused.

He shook his head and sat in the chair near the bed. “Our mission is to change history for the betterment of mankind. To make the world a better place. No one on my team would make the changes that have been made.”

“Just get to the point already Nick, stop dodging the topic! What do you need my help with?” She lunged forward causing him to jump back slightly.

“There have been changes made, changes that benefit individuals. Mostly the changes benefited the person's history financially.” He paused and looked at Julie who was still glaring at him wishing he would get to the point.

“I believe someone inside the project has been changing history...”

Julie glared at him. “How dare you accuse...” she started only to be interrupted by Nick.

“Someone at Chronos Project, someone who might be your friend, is trading their ability to travel through time to change other people's histories in return for payment.” He said holding his eye contact with her.

Chapter 16 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

You had to know it was coming...

“You have no proof. You are spreading rumors and lies to discredit us further with your group of rogue volunteers.” The words came out as a hiss from Julie's mouth. “You are trying to play me again, trying to turn me away from the project and Kevin,” She continued.

“Julie what reasoning would I have to do that? You made your choice, though I do feel slightly responsible for pushing towards that decision.” Nick shrugged as Julie looked at him perplexed. “Just a theory I've been working on.” It was the only explanation he gave her for her confusion which did not clear anything up for her.

“I have an inside man, it was how I knew Kevin lived and how I kept tabs on you. No, I will not tell you who, but their main job is to report when there have been successful changes made in history. When they informed me that there had been some successful missions, the missions did not sound familiar to me and none of the others on my team confessed to making them.” Seemingly frustrated, Nick stood and started to pace the room.

“How do you know the others aren't simply lying to you?” Julie asked. She didn't consider the group the most trustworthy, honest group. Why would anything they said be considered the truth? Ever since Nick, she'd been second guessing her own judgment of character, maybe Nick didn't know these people as well as he thought. Julie knew that the only person she was sure of was Kevin.

“My source is very good at their job. They know where to look and what to look for.” Nick threw out the words quickly.

“That doesn't explain anything. That doesn't answer my question. How do you know they aren't lying? Why do you assume it is someone with the project making these changes, and for money of all things? Your inside man is just as likely to be making the changes, to be the one who is getting paid to make these changes.”

Nick held up his hand to stop Julie from talking. He stopped pacing and moved closer to her and for a minute she thought he was going to grab her and pull her close, or was that her mind wishing he would? She closed her eyes and berated herself. She loved Kevin, Nick stabbed her and shot Kevin as revenge, so why was she feeling a desire to be with him again?

“None of my team is claiming responsibility.” He stated simply.

“Proves nothing again!” She shouted at him.

Nick's face broke out in a huge grin and a laugh escaped his lips. “Julie, spend five minutes with my group and you will know why I know it's none of them. They are competitive and brag incessantly when they are able to make a change. Besides, my inside man informed me that none of your volunteers were ever assigned to these changes to put them back the way they were.” He sat on the bed again and put his hand on her knee, she did not object, she did not move it away.

“On my request they also looked into the books of the project. Deposits were made into accounts, more than the others. He does not know whose accounts they belong to though, they are only listed as numbers, no names.”

Nick was sitting close to her; he was turned towards her, one leg tucked under him, the other laying across the bed trapping Julie between his leg and the wall. His hands had found their way to hold her one free hand. Her heart was racing but her head was screaming to pull away. She felt him move closer on the bed, they were mere inches away now.

“How can you be sure your inside man isn't on the take?” She asked to keep herself from lunging at Nick's lips.

“That is why I need your help. Julie, you are the one person in the project that I trust not to be involved in this. Just give it a week and look into the situation. If I am wrong, I will surrender myself to you willingly and be brought into the project to face my crimes.” She could feel his breath on her face as he spoke, chills shot down her spine.

Determined not to give into her impulse to kiss the man sitting in front of her, Julie continued to inquire about the supposed volunteers from inside the project changing history. “What if that is what I want for doing this? If you are right you will turn yourself in?”

Nick shook his head. “If I am right, I will return Charles to you.” Nick's lips brushed hers as he spoke.

Julie pulled back. “But if you are wrong, you don't give us Charles?”

Again Nick shook his head running his finger under the collar of her dress. “I am confident I am not wrong.”

Goose bumps started to form on Julie's arms as she felt herself surrendering to his touch. “Then why not give us Charles now as an act of faith?”

“One week Julie.” He smirked at her and twined his fingers into the collar pulling her close and pressing his lips to hers. Julie's stomach jumped into her chest as they kissed, her head told her to stop, even her heart was telling her to quit. Kevin's face came to her mind but she couldn't pull away. She was being controlled by desire now.

Nick broke the kiss; she wanted to pull him back. Why did he keep breaking away, she couldn't stand being a part from him. “Will you help?”

“Why is this important to you? History is being changed isn't that what you want?”

“Not for profit.” With those words spoken, Nick pulled her closer using her collar and crashed his lips into hers. With her free hand, Julie wrapped her arm around Nick and pulled him closer. Their tongues darted in and out of each others mouths as Nick's free hand found the bottom of her dress and started to snake up her inner thigh. The hand that was at her collar had moved down and was fondling her breast, pinching the nipple giving her a rush of excitement each time.

Without thinking, Julie tried to use her chained arm to pull Nick even closer. She groaned when her hand was was held at bay away from where she wanted it to be. She felt Nick pull aside the modern underwear she refused to part with when she jumped into this era, his fingers finally finding their intended destination.

Moans that escaped through her mouth were silenced by his mouth that was still covering hers. Julie's head continued to scream at her to pull away, to push him away but her body did not want to stop what was happening.

Eventually she was able to break away enough to get some words out, “I thought you weren't going to seduce me.” Her breathing was heavy as Nick's hand continued its rhythm.

He smirked and stopped. “I couldn't help myself. I don't know what came over me.” He stopped both of his hands and looked at her seriously. “Do you want me to stop?” He asked, his voice heavy with desire.

'Yes,' her head screamed. She knew she needed to stop before she went too far. She was lecturing herself already for letting it go as far as it had. But it seemed there was a separation between her head and the rest of her body, including her mouth.

“No,” She said out loud, moving down on the bed and pulling him on top of her. He repositioned himself so that he was kneeling over her, both hands resuming their previous movements. Her free hand moved from around his neck to the bulge forming in his pants. She cupped the bulge, rubbing it a few times before searching for the waist line.

Nick removed his hands from Julie's body and un-tucked his shirt and pulled it over his head. She watched as he started to remove his pants. She found herself wishing his pants had an elastic band instead of having to be untied; it was taking too long for him to lose his pants.

He did not remove his pants all of the way; just enough so the bulge that was in his pants was now out in front of her fully erect. She gasped slightly. Nick heard and his smirk became more playful.

He lowered himself over her, ripping the collar of her dress far enough to expose her breasts. Julie threw back her head as Nick's hot mouth took in her nipple, his tongue flicking it every so often shooting desire through her body. One of his hands found its way back between her legs and she gasped again.

“Just fuck me already,” she heard herself beg.

Nick stopped sucking on her breast and looked at her. “Whatever you say.” He started to lower himself closer to her, the anticipation was annoying her. She wanted to feel him inside of her. She grabbed his erection and started to help guide it towards her.

“What the fuck is going on?” A voice at the door startled them.

End Notes:

Thanks everyone for the reviews and for the nomination of Chronos Project (the first in the series) at the Felix awards, also for the best author nomination!  It was nice to see my name up with so many other great authors. :)

Chapter 17 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

who caught them in the act?

They lay there frozen. Nick inches away from entering Julie, her one hand on his cock, her other hand still chained to the post next to the bed. Nick turned his body enough that Julie could see Steph standing in the doorway staring at the both of them. Anger apparent in her eyes, aimed at Julie.

“What do you want?” Nick barked at her.

“Nick there is something that needs your immediate attention.” Steph stammered eventually averting her eyes from the scene in front of her.

'What is going on now needs his immediate attention,' Julie thought as she shot daggers in Steph's direction.

“It can't wait,” Steph muttered.

Nick sighed and moved off of the bed pulling his pants up. He grabbed his shirt and put it back over his head. Julie pulled her dress down and tried to cover her exposed breasts the best she could with the ripped material and only one free hand.

Nick and Steph were standing at the door speaking in hushed tones. Julie could see enough of the body language to know that neither person was happy with what just happened. Steph kept turning to glare at Julie throughout the conversation and Julie was all too happy to respond with her own glares.

Nick said something adamantly and Steph nodded at him. He exited the room leaving Julie alone with Steph. Julie rolled over so that she did not have to look at Steph, it was difficult with her arm chained, but she managed to move her arm above her head comfortably. Without Nick in the room she was able to think more about what almost just happened. Her thoughts immediately flew to Kevin. How could she have almost done that to him?

Tears started to glisten in her eyes at the thought of how Kevin would take it if he found out that not only was Nick alive, but for some unknown reason, Julie was drawn to him, sexually.

She blamed the accident in the lab on that fateful day in twenty twelve. It sent her hurtling through time and that was the reason she met Nick and Kevin. She never regretted meeting Kevin, but her life had been nothing but trouble since meeting Nick. She also knew she could not have one without the other; it seemed their fates were connected.

“Are you thinking about how stupid you are?” Steph's voice echoed through the room from where she stood by the door. Julie ignored her; she wasn't in the mood for a fight.

The room grew silent and Julie hoped it was because Steph had left the room. She could feel the tears continue to roll down her cheeks in silence. If Steph was in the room she did not want her to hear the sobs trying to escape. She wanted to go home. She wanted to be back in Kevin's soothing embrace and to be able to forget that this ever happened.

“I can't believe I've been reduced to babysitter, and to babysit you of all people.” Steph's words broke the silence causing Julie to jump slightly; she hadn't been expecting her to talk.

Julie wiped her eyes with her sleeve and rolled over to glare at Steph. She was sure the other woman could see the puffiness of her eyes and would know she'd been crying, but she was not going to lie around simpering while this woman insulted her.

Steph smirked at Julie before she pulled the chair next to the bed a little further back and sat down to stare at her. The two women sat in silence staring at each other down until Julie could no longer take it. She blinked and moved her gaze away, the other woman smiling in triumph over winning a staring contest like a five year old.

“You know the only way Nick will set you free will be for you to agree to help us?” Steph smugly asked.

“If he is right I want to find out for myself. Whether it's helping or not I want to get to the bottom if only to prove Nick wrong.” Julie remarked pulling the blanket up over her chest to try to cover herself more. Steph was making her feel very exposed.

“Good, the sooner this is over the better. I don't like the idea that Nick needs you.” Steph sat with her arms and legs crossed. Unlike Julie, Steph was not dressed in the female fashion of the time.

“Are we still in Tudor England?” Julie asked out loud though she had not meant to. She'd only been in the room except for the brief attempt at escape and she didn't have much time to look around to see what time she was in then.

Steph shook her head. “No. It was too dangerous after you almost burned. But I am not allowed to tell you where we are.” She smirked as if she knew Julie wanted to know what time they had jumped to, not that it was hard to know that since Julie had asked. Julie wondered if it was one of the times, one of the bases that Kevin and the others knew about. But then why would they search for her at one of the rogue hide outs? They all thought, like she had, that she was randomly jumping through time.

“If I am jumping with Nick,” Julie thought of something and wanted answers. “Why did we jump to Kent State in the seventies and then to the Occupy Wall Street protests?”

Steph shrugged. “You will have to ask him why he went there. I am not sure if he was changing history or if he was fixing something he thought was changed for incorrect reasons. His ideas between what's acceptable to change and not anymore is a bit... warped.” Steph emphasized the last word by glaring at Julie more than she had been. “I am positive it was something to do with you and your do-gooder ways.”

Julie was tempted to pick the pillow up next to her and throw it at Steph but that would be a childish thing to do. Besides, with one free arm she doubted the pillow would even reach its intended target. Instead she thought of something that would piss her off.

“Pissed that no matter how much you throw yourself at him, he'd rather fuck a woman that tried to kill him?” Julie spat out the hateful words. It didn't really make her feel better, but she was sick of Steph.

Steph laughed, it didn't sound maniacal like Julie thought it would, there was a melody to it and Julie hated to admit it but she did have quite a nice laugh. She didn't bother asking her what was so funny though, if the woman wanted to elaborate, Julie was sure she would have problems telling her what it was.

“I admit that at first when he chose you to be the one linked with him during his jumps I was upset. But then after I overheard what Charles said about his linked partner, I thought you were the perfect choice.” This time when Steph laughed the sound came out more maniacal than melodious.

“What?” Julie asked fear suddenly gripping her.

Steph smirked at her and leaned forward in the chair. “Do you really think he's forgiven Kevin for killing Zoe? Do you really think he doesn't want you dead still for that revenge and now revenge for attempting to kill him. Don't you remember his anger, his hatred? Do you think that just goes away?” Steph laughed.

“People can change.” Julie commented. She wanted to believe it. She wanted to think that if she helped Nick he would be wrong, he would be true to his word and surrender. Shortly after they would get the location of Charles out of him and then he would be returned. Things never went as she planned so why did she think it would this time?

Steph sputtered and shook her head. “Did Nick mention anything about stopping the link between you two?”

Julie thought back to their conversation about how they were linked and what he wanted her to do for him. She recalled details but never one about how they would sever the link when it was all over.

“He didn't tell you because you wouldn't help if you knew.” Steph stood and made her way to the door. “You are chained, I don't think you will run. I am bored.”

“Steph!” Julie called out. “Tell me!”

The blond woman turned back to look at Julie. “Will you leave Nick alone?”

Julie didn't want to do anything with Nick ever again, this would be an easy promise. “Yes, I promise to leave him alone.”

“Fine,” She said as she stepped closer so she could whisper. “The genetic link will end up killing the one who is connected.” She smirked evilly and quickly turned and left the room.

Chapter 18 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

She's back with a new mission...

Julie sat on the hospital like bed as Howie took another vial of blood for testing. She had been in a daze since Steph had told her the consequences of being linked to Nick. Eventually, it would kill her. When Nick had returned to her room for the answer she asked him about it and she knew by the look on his face that Steph had spoken the truth. He tried to tell her that he didn't know until after she was injected but she wouldn't hear it. She told Nick that she would help him discover who, if anyone, was behind the changes and if they were profiting from them. If Charles came back, maybe he could cure her.

“You look a million miles away,” Howie said as he pressed a cotton ball on the area the needle had been inserted into. She turned to him and gave him a half smile though she didn't really feel it. She should tell them all that Nick was alive, that he was behind her jumping. She wanted to tell him that she knew the results would show the virus spreading through her system more, that it would eventually take over and kill her. But she couldn't tell him that without telling him about Nick, and that would lead to questions about what they spoke about and she did not want to tell anyone what Nick told her, even that Nick was alive, just not yet. If he was right, she couldn't give the guilty party a chance to cover up their tracks.

“Where's Kevin?” She asked Howie.

“He's out on a mission.” Howie looked at her, a hint of sympathy in his eyes.

“Looking for me?” Maybe if he had a lead on where she went then he could find Nick himself and get him to tell him where Charles was so they could end this link and hopefully cure her.

Howie shook his head. “No,” He admitted. “Jessica wanted him to check something out, it's all I was told.” He shrugged again and threw the needle in the hazardous waste bin.

“Oh,” Julie was disappointed that he was not there. She'd hope he would run into the room and take her up in his arms. She wanted him to hold her, to comfort her. She had a strange lost feeling and hadn't been able to shake it though she was home.

“You should get something warm to eat and get some rest.” Howie patted her shoulder and tried his best to look upbeat. She knew that he was frustrated with what was going on with her, upset that he did not have the answers. She could read it on his face that he felt like a failure in Charles' absence.

“Do you want to join me for the meal?” She asked him.

“Thanks for the offer, but I have some paperwork that needs to get done.” He smiled at her again and grabbed both vials of her blood and left the room.

Julie hopped off the table and exited the room. She made her way to the small cafeteria where the volunteers could prepare their own food, they didn't always eat out though it certainly seemed that way to Julie at times. She opened the cupboard and found a can of tomato soup. Pulling out the milk and a pot, she opened the can and dumped the contents in. She stirred as she focused on a spot above the stove and drifted off in thought.

“Julie?” A voice questioned from behind snapping her out of her daze. She turned to see Tessa coming into the room, a book in her hand.

“Tessa, what brings you here?” She smiled at the woman who set her book down on an empty table.

The other woman looked at her as she pulled out items from the fridge and set them on the counter.

“Oh right,” Julie said as she spooned some of her soup into a bowl.

“You are back again huh?” Tessa commented on Julie's recent disappearance. “Where did you travel to this time?” She asked, her voice was full of curiosity. Tessa had always been curious about her travels, was she digging for information? She eyed the woman, was she the inside man?

“I think it was Tudor England,” She answered careful not to give too much information away. “I stuck to the shadows and hid a lot to keep out of anyone's radar.” She lied.

“Oh.” Tessa sounded a bit disappointed and it triggered Julie to wonder why.

“You sound disappointed.” She flat out commented to the other woman. If she was going to help Nick figure out if there was some one changing history for profit, it wouldn't hurt if she also researched to find Nick's inside person at the same time.

“Well, it's just you always have such fun stories to tell about the times you visit. Even though some are scary. I like to read and even though I know they really happened to you, it's like you are a living book to me sometimes.” Tessa smiled as she prepared her food.

Julie made her way to the table that Tessa set her book down at and sat down. She pulled the book closer to see it. She remembered the title as the book was popular around the time that she started her college schooling. It would explain why Tessa was disappointed she had no stories about Tudor England.

“The Other Boleyn Girl?” She asked Tessa as the other woman sat down.

“It was in our fiction library here and looked interesting so I thought I would give it a try.” She smiled. “So far it is fantastic.”

“Well I do know I was there during the time of Henry and Anne, but that is about all I was able to take in.” She smiled brighter as Tessa beamed at her.

“That is so neat. I only ever get to travel to places as far back as the twentieth century.” She shrugged.

“There is a lot to see then too...” Julie offered up.

Tessa shook her head. “Not a whole lot. I visited the great depression five times now.” She sighed. “Jessica says she keeps getting information that a rogue volunteer is trying to stop many different things from happening during that time. I think she just wants to send Justin and I on a wild goose chase so that she and Howie are here alone. We are usually the last volunteers to get missions.” Tessa laughed at the thought.

“Alone?” Julie perked up. What would the two remaining people in charge want to be alone? Were they planning something?

Tessa nodded. “Office gossip, but we think they are having a fling.”

Julie nodded hoping that she looked like she was going along with the idea of the two having a fling. Jessica was quite a bit older than Howie and somehow she doubted there was any romantic interludes between the two. This would definitely be a good place to start her research to see what was going on between the two.

The women chatted about little things, Tessa gave her some information about what Kevin had been up to and she told her about Erika and AJ's recent successes at finding rogue volunteers. “Does it seem like they just are in random rooms making out?” Tessa asked.

“Yes,” Julie laughed remembering the encounter in the jump room. “So, is there anything going on between you and Justin?” Julie had to ask because of the strange behavior of Justin.

Tessa blushed and looked away. “No, he is a good friend. He helped me out of a few jams and he has sort of become my sort of my protector.”

Julie nodded and moved to wash her bowl and put it away. She thought she should look into Justin, he was a strange one and his odd behavior made him ripe for suspicion. Who was she kidding, she had to look at everyone, but first she would look into Howie and Jessica.

Chapter 19 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

the investigation begins

Julie watched as Jessica moved away from her office. Tessa had told her that morning that she was being sent on a mission which meant everyone else would be out of the building. She assumed that Jessica either thought she was on bed rest or had left to join Kevin. She made sure to wear soft soled shoes as she knew she would be sneaking through the halls after the woman who had stepped in and taken more control after Charles had been taken by Nick.

The only sound in the building was the click clack of Jessica's heels as she moved towards a hallway that Julie had never ventured down. She had to watch from a distance as there was no where for her to hide in the looming hall. She watched as Jessica moved out a door, sunshine broke through the fluorescent lit hallways.

When the door closed again, Julie made her way to the door and cautiously started to open it. She was stunned to see the door opened to an alleyway next to The Library. She'd seen it from the street but she never knew that there was a door leading to and from the basement levels of The Library down it.

She glanced up the alley and back down the alley but did not see Jessica. She sighed in frustration over losing the woman. She was about to turn back into the building when she caught a glimpse of the woman getting into a black limo that pulled in front of the alley. Julie made it out of the alley in time to see the limo take a left turn at the top of the street. “Damn,” She cursed. There was no way she was going to be able to follow the limo in time.

Annoyed with herself, she made her way back into The Library using the front entrance. She wasn't going to give up though. She didn't have enough time to be annoyed with herself for losing Jessica, she needed to find out what was going on. She walked in somewhat of a daze until she noticed she was standing in front of the older woman's office. She glanced around for Howie, then tried the door. It was locked so she pulled out the lock pick tools Kevin gave her, she always kept them with her. Too bad Nick knew about them and where she kept them, he had removed them from her person when he chained her up.

The thought of Nick made her shudder and focus more intently on her work. She couldn't think about what had almost happened between them. She needed to find that he was wrong so he could be brought in.

She heard the familiar click of the lock releasing and smiled as she pushed open the door. Looking around one more time, she made her way into the office and closed the door quietly behind her. She managed to find and switch on a desk lamp. The older woman's desk was neatly stacked. There were piles of completed missions, piles of missions that needed to be assigned and various other piles in regards to running the project. Julie always wondered how Charles had kept track of these things as his desk was always a mess.

Julie knew that she would have to be extra careful as she searched through Jessica's desk. If anything was out of place she knew that Jessica would know someone had been in her office. She made her way around to the back of the desk and started to look at the top items on both piles. One of the piles had Tessa's name on the top; Julie opened the file and peered at it. It outlined Tessa and Justin's mission. They had been sent to make sure that Lincoln went to Ford's Theater on the night of his assassination. She closed the file and smiled to herself.

“So she got to go further back then the 20th century,” Julie commented to herself as she looked for anything on the woman's desk that would indicate what she'd been up to or if she was the one being paid to change history. She sighed in frustration, did she expect a sticky note stating that information would be conveniently laying about for her to find?

Julie sat down on Jessica's chair and let her eyes sweep over the desk. Her eyes fell on a calendar peeking out from underneath one of the piles. Carefully she moved the pile off of the calendar and looked at the notations made by Jessica. There were several different appointments that were scheduled over the week. Julie looked at the current date and grinned. She listed the place that she was having her meeting and the time it was at. She was certainly glad that Jessica still kept a paper format of her schedule. She looked up at the clock and smiled, she still had time to get to the place of the meeting to see if there was anything going on that would show Jessica as the culprit.

Carefully she moved the files back onto the calendar and left the room. She made sure to lock the door behind her and she moved as far away from the room as she could before her heart started to beat at a normal pace.

“Julie, what are you up to?” Howie's voice came from behind causing her to jump.

“What makes you think I'm up to anything?” She asked, her heart beating a mile a minute again.

“I was asking what you were up to because everyone else is on a mission. Wondering what you are doing with your time.” Howie looked at her suspicious at her for her quick response.

“Oh, I was just thinking about going out and getting something to eat or possibly do some shopping.” She lied.

“Want some company?” He asked her much to her disappointment. Any other time she wouldn't mind company but today, obviously, she didn't want anyone else with her when she investigated one of the founders of the program for being on the take.

“Wait,” Howie held up his hand before she could answer. He pulled something out of his pocket, a cell phone probably, and looked at the screen. “No, I have something to take care of so I guess I am not available after all, sorry.” He smiled and patted her shoulder before turning and heading off in the opposite direction.

Julie let out the breath she'd been holding and started to walk in the direction she was heading in before running into Howie.

“Oh Julie,” His voice caused her to freeze. She slowly turned around to see Howie walking back towards her. “Kevin wanted me to give you this,” He held out a plastic card. “Luckily these are still accepted for now. One day we will have to fit you with a wrist chip.” He smiled as she took the card, a debit card.

She watched as he turned back around and headed to his own office. Howie being at The Library still helped reassure Julie that Howie and Jessica were not an item. She hoped it also meant that if Jessica was involved, that Howie was not. After he went into his office, she turned and ran up the stairs and out the front entrance of The Library and hailed a taxi.

She informed the driver where she wanted to go and sat back as the man drove through the city and pulled up in front of the restaurant Jessica was meeting someone at. Julie swiped her card to pay and made her way inside. She felt under dressed but the restaurant had no issues seating her. She convinced the host to give her a table where she was slightly hidden but could easily see Jessica.

She watched as Jessica talked with and laughed at the men around her at the table. Everyone was dressed in suits and ties; Jessica herself was in a black cocktail dress. She knew from interactions with the woman that she enjoyed the company of men very much, but Julie doubted the woman was on a date of any kind. Four men and one woman, though seemingly right up Jessica's alley, was not really a date situation.

Julie watched from behind her menu as a man pushed an envelope across the table to Jessica. It looked very full and Julie's mind instantly went thinking it was cash in the envelope. Though cash had almost become obsolete, it was still the only way to do dealings under the table. Julie didn't stink around any longer, she got up and walked out of the restaurant, she did not need to get caught there.

Julie made it back to The Library and went into her room. She sat down on the bed and wondered. Could it be that easy? Had she found the person taking money for changing history already? No, she couldn't be sure that it was what was going on. Jessica was in charge of the project in Charles' absence. She could have been receiving legitimate monies for the program. She needed to investigate further, she decided she should visit Howie before all the other volunteers returned.

Chapter 20 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

How will Julie react to seeing Kevin after the 'incident' with Nick?

Julie got off the bed, her eyes glancing at the new computer on her desk before she left the room and headed towards Howie's office. Her thoughts floated around how she wanted to handle it. Her heart did not want to say that Howie was involved. He acted suspiciously; he even acted mean towards her sometimes, but the memory of him in 2045. He was the reason she kept her memories, she would not forget that.

Memories of that day came back to her. She almost turned back, how could he be the one involved if he still worked with the project in the future? Eventually someone else would have stumbled upon what Nick came across right? What if Nick wasn't supposed to live, what if he'd really died? Maybe no one else did find out someone within the project was making money off of changing history. She thought it would be best if she turned back and went to her room to sleep.

She looked up and noticed she was standing in front of Howie's office. She sighed, no point in turning back now. She held her breath and turned the handle of the door, pushing it open. She let out her breath when she noticed that Howie was not in his office.

Julie made her way over to his desk, there was no telling when he would be getting back and she did not want to be caught snooping. She managed to find a stack of papers and right on top was a check. The check was coming from some organization that Julie had not heard of before and simply had the memo “vaccine help.”

Before she had a chance to think about the check and the memo, the door to Howie's office opened and he came wandering in. “Julie?” He questioned when he saw her. “What brings you down here? Lonely?” He asked with a warm smile.

“A little. How do you handle it when all the volunteers are gone? What do you do with your time?” She asked hoping he might slip and give her some more information.

“I work on various side projects.” He shrugged and moved to the area Julie was in, seeing the check on top of the pile he quickly snatched it away and shoved it in his pocket.

“What was that?” she played innocent hoping he might open up about the check and tell her what it was, tell her that it had a legitimate reason to be on his desk.

“Nothing important,” He smiled at her again. He stood looking at her, silent. She stood looking at him with nothing to add. The silence between them was beginning to become very awkward when the door opened again it caused Julie to jump.

“Hey How...” The person started and stopped when they saw Julie. “Julie,” Kevin breathed out her name.

A huge grin broke out on Julie's face as she saw Kevin, the man she loved, enter the room. She flew into his arms and wasted no time kissing him. Her brain reminded her of the time spent with Nick, the urges she had when he was near. She shuddered and shook them off as she let herself melt into Kevin's embrace.

“When?” Kevin questioned.

“She arrived shortly after you left. Seems she had quite a rough time with the last jump. Her clothes were ripped and she talked about almost being burned alive.” Howie spoke up for her, though she felt her face flare crimson at the mention of her ripped clothing.

Kevin held her tighter after finding out about almost being burnt alive. “How did you get away?” He asked.

Julie shrugged. “Someone confessed to the crime I was being killed for before the fire was lit.” It was what she had told everyone else; there was no point in worrying Kevin about her feeling the heat from the torches, peeing herself with fear that she would die. She really didn't want to mention Nick speaking out for her; she knew he'd paid for her to be released. He couldn't very well let the woman he was using die.

“Have you rested?” Kevin asked her, still clinging tightly to her.

“Some,” she stated. It was the truth, but she'd been too busy investigating and keeping herself busy. She knew that if she let herself think about what had just happened to her, being on the brink of death again, and what had transpired between her and Nick, she would possibly lose her mind.

“Have you figured out why she is jumping?” Kevin asked Howie.

She knew the silence was probably Howie shaking his head.

“Did you give her anything so she could sleep?” Kevin asked. He knew her too well. He knew that with what had just happened closing her eyes to sleep would be difficult.

“I did,” Howie answered simply.

“I didn't want to take any and miss your return in case I jumped soon again.” She lied, somewhat. She really didn't want to miss Kevin returning but she had tossed the pills Howie had given her into a drawer and had proceeded to investigate based on the information Nick had supplied her with.

“Well I could use a nap,” Kevin smiled down at her. “Care to join me?” He asked.

Julie's bones ached with weariness and she really did want to sleep so she nodded. She and Kevin walked back to their room in silence. Neither one discussing anything about their jumps. When they got into the room, Julie pulled the sheets back, threw her shoes off, quickly changed into her pajamas and slid into bed. Kevin's warm body joined her shortly after. The sheets felt nice and she wondered when Kevin had the time to get new ones.

Kevin pulled Julie close and she could feel herself involuntarily tense up. “Julie what happened on your jump? I know you have been close to death before, we all have, but you seem to have something else on your mind.”

“I just found something out on my last jump. Found some information that hinted a few volunteers are on the take. Changing history for payment.” She shrugged and sat up to look at Kevin who was sitting on the bed next to her already. “I think I've already found who though, so it's a moot point.”

She tried to lie back down in the bed but Kevin grabbed onto her arm and pulled her in his general direction. “Where did you get this information?” He asked her. His face was as serious as she had ever seen it before. She knew that if she didn't tell him he would never back down until she had, he was going to be upset with her either way so she decided to just tell him.

“Someone saved me from being burned, someone who knows us.” She looked at him hoping he would guess and guess correctly. When he continued to wait for her explanation she continued. “It was Nick.” She said his name quickly and watched as Kevin's face went from serious to outright angry.

“Nick? How is that possible? He died.” Kevin started to speak asking her but did not wait for her response. “Are you sure it wasn't one of your dreams?”

Julie shook her head, her cheeks burning as she remembered his touch. “No, definitely not a dream.” She looked away from Kevin's eyes briefly before she could continue. “He told me that he has reason to believe someone inside the project is changing history for money and he asked for my help to find them.”

“So let me get this straight.” He started moving off of the bed and pulled his pants on. “Nick shows up after you were saved from dying,” His face lit up like something just struck him, “Most likely he saved you and tells you some wild ass story about being someone inside the project taking money to change history and you believed him?”

Julie stood and moved close to Kevin and attempted to pull him close to her but he moved away. She opened her mouth to try to explain to Kevin but he cut her off.

“How could you be so blind? He tried to kill us both and now you are working with him?” Keivn stormed across the small room and stood on the opposite side from Julie. “Why did you just bring him in when he saved you? Is there something going on I should know about?” He narrowed his eyes and looked at her.

“No, no.” She answered a little too quickly. “He wants me to look into it is all. If he's wrong he promised to surrender.” She forced a smile on her face in an attempt to show Kevin that it really was alright that she was working with him.

“And you think he told you the truth?” Kevin scoffed and shook his head. “I am upset but maybe this can be turned to our advantage and you can double cross him and bring him in.”

Julie remembered being asked to do something similar a few months ago by Howie and Kevin and it didn't turn out well. “I can't do that.” She muttered.

“There is something between you isn't there?” Are you screwing him again?” The words hurt coming from his mouth and stung since there was a hint of truth. She had almost slept with Nick again, but thankfully things had stopped before they reached the point.

“We are linked.” Her voice was small as she answered.

“What do you mean linked?” the anger was still in his voice as he spoke.

Julie delved into the story about how Nick managed to get Charles and used him in an attempt to help him jump through time again. Charles' solution was to link Nick with another traveler. He chose her to be linked. “I have no control, he does. It makes me at his mercy. Eventually, the link between us will kill me.”

Kevin was silent staring at her. She could see the conflict of anger and sadness at what he viewed as her betrayal in his eyes. “This is...I...” he started then threw up his hands before exiting the room completely leaving Julie standing there.

Tears formed in her eyes and she dropped onto the couch. The unwelcome feel of a couch not broken in caused her to look closely at it. The couch was new. She wiped the tears and took a survey of the room she shared with Kevin: a new computer, new sheets, and a new couch. She knew she hadn't bought them so Kevin had to. Where did Kevin get the money for these new expenditures? She gasped in realization that Kevin might be on to take too.

Chapter 21 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

bad news and good news

Julie continued to sit on the couch in disbelief. The man she loved who opposed Nick changing history so much, could he really be taking payment to change history himself? She wanted to think that it was impossible, Kevin stuck to his morals, but everywhere she looked in their room she saw signs of money spent.

She started to think back and to all the different meetings that Kevin would have with Jessica and Howie. If they were both involved in changing history it was very likely Kevin was involved as well. Julie cringed at the thought.

Unlike when she suspected Howie or Jessica, Julie was determined to find out from Kevin if he was involved before she took any information back to Nick. She didn't want to see the look on Nick's face if she had to admit that Kevin was also changing history. Kevin who was so opposed to the idea of Nick and the other rogue volunteers changing history, Nick would get a thrill that he was doing something even worse the entire time.

She groaned as she left the room in search of where Kevin would have stormed off to. She started to wander the halls looking for Kevin. She tried a few doors, but they were locked, others were dark or broom closets.

“Hey Julie,” Erika's voice called to her as they approached each other. “It's been awhile. Have you been able to figure out the random jumping stuff?” The woman asked her.

Julie shrugged knowing she did not want to tell Erika about Nick. She would tell AJ and he'd been through enough at the hands of Nick to worry about him being back. She would warn everyone when she finished helping him and a cure was found for her and she was no longer at his whim. “Not yet. Howie is working on it though.” Julie told her when a flash of light glinted off of something on Erika's hand.

“What's that?” She asked the other woman as she took her hand into her own to see a diamond ring on her ring finger. “Are you?” Julie asked as she beamed.

Erika nodded. “He asked last night. Isn't the ring beautiful?” She asked Julie.

Julie couldn't help but feel a bit jealous of her friend on her engagement. Memories of being briefly engaged to Jeff, her boyfriend before she was hurled through time and met with the volunteers and Kevin, came back to her.

She nodded and smiled at her friend. Enough with the Julie pity party; she needed to be excited for her friend. “That is so great Erika! I want to help you in any way I can.” She hugged her friend tightly.

“I hoped you would say that,” Erika said as they released their hug. “I was hoping you'd be my maid of honor.”

Julie pulled the woman into a hug again, “Yes, of course.” The last wedding she'd been in was her cousin's wedding. After the drama with Nick was over and before she decided to be part of the project, she had asked that they take her back to the day of her cousin's wedding so that she would not miss it again. With being hurtled through time, Julie really had been unable to help her cousin with the final preparations and she still felt bad about it. This time she would make sure she was able to help Erika with every little detail.

“Where are you headed now?” Erika asked her.

“I need to talk to Kevin.” Julie spoke up wishing she could have answered something different after seeing the smile falter slightly on the other woman's face. When was the last time Erika and Julie had gone out for a girl's night? Julie would have to make sure to plan something to celebrate soon.

“Do you have a date yet?” Julie asked the question though she knew most brides to be hated getting the question. Unless they'd been planning their wedding since they were three and the groom wanted no say then it was likely still up in the air.

“We were thinking a year from now, December of twenty thirty-one.” Erika smiled and looked past her. “I see Tessa; I'm going to tell her.”

Julie watched as the other woman walked down the hall heading towards the room Tessa would likely be in, if she was back from her mission.

Julie thought about what plans she'd like to make for Erika while she walked. It wasn't until she almost reached the offices Kevin was likely to be in, that the look of the ring Erika had been sporting cam back to her mind. She wondered how AJ was able to afford the ring. Maybe he saved his money; he never did seem to pay when they all went out to eat.

It was at this moment that she remembered all the new stuff Erika and Tessa had been bragging about buying a few months back. Items that were not cheap if Julie remembered correctly. AJ had also commented on Justin's new shoes at some point stating what an expensive pair they were.

“Dammit,” Julie cursed to herself. The more she thought about it, the more she didn't know who was involved in changing history for money. Every time she let her mind wander, thoughts of money people spent came to mind. Was everyone on the project but her making extra money changing history?
She turned and headed back to her room. She was going to need a new game plan, she needed to start at the beginning again. There was no sure way to tell who was involved as she was starting to suspect everyone around her.

When she got back to the room Kevin sitting at the desk startled her. “Shit,” she cursed holding her hand over her heart.

“Did I scare you?” He asked no smile on his face. He was probably still upset about what she told him earlier about Nick.

She nodded and closed the door behind her. She watched for a few seconds as Kevin typed something into the computer furiously. Finally, she couldn't take it and she had to know.

“Kevin, how are you paying for all this new stuff?” She blurted out.

Kevin turned to her and scrunched up his forehead so that if seemed that his eyebrows almost touched. It was not a look Julie was particularly fond of. “What do you mean?” He asked her.

Julie pointed to the computer he was sitting at, the couch that was near the television and the sheets on their bed. “Those to name a few.”

Kevin nodded. “He got into your head and now you suspect me?” There was a hint of hurt in his voice as he spoke. “I'm sorry accused you of sleeping with Nick.” He said standing and wiping a strand of hair off of her face. “But you have no reason to suspect me, the sheets are from my old room. The computer and the couch are new, but one thing that helped spur me to volunteer for this project was because I am independently wealthy. I am a trust fund baby.” He took her hands in his.

Julie looked into his green eyes and found herself believing him. He kept plenty of things from her but she knew when he was telling her the truth and she could see that he was not lying in his eyes. She sighed in relief and pulled Kevin into a hug. She sat on the edge of the bed and pulled him down next to her. She then recounted everything she saw that day and remembered from prior days that was leading her to believe what Nick had told her. There was no denying that someone at the project was on the take and she wanted to find out who it was.

“Nick mentioned something about record books.” Julie offered up.

Kevin nodded. “Yes, I've seen them on Charles' desk often. Records of what each volunteers account is being credited.”

“Do you think you could get a hold of those books?” She asked Kevin.

He nodded looking sullen. “I don't like that fact that someone I've grown to trust with my life has been operating for their own benefit.” He admitted.

Julie sighed again in relief. She was glad that she had someone that would help her investigate, someone else she could depend on to help her find out the truth behind the volunteers on the take. She turned to Kevin and took him in her arms holding him tightly.

Chapter 22 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Research and another jump?

Julie sat in their room waiting for Kevin to return with the record book so that they might figure out who was responsible for the changes. While she waited her mind wandered back to what she was going through. Being injected with a virus of some kind so that she would be linked with Nick when he jumped, it was not an ideal situation but she realized she had no one but herself to blame. She was too quick to follow any lead involving Steph that she did not stop to think that any of the leads could be set ups. Even though the virus would eventually kill her, Julie was lucky she was not already dead from her impulsive nature.

Julie's leg started to shake as she waited for Kevin. She really was no good at waiting, if she was then she wouldn't be so impulsive and half of her problems would not exist. Unable to wait any longer, Julie stood and started to walk down the hall to look for Kevin. He really had been gone too long, didn't he realize the sooner they solved this the sooner Charles would be home and the sooner he could reverse the virus that he created.

The sound of her footsteps was the only thing she could hear in the hallway. Nobody was coming and going; everyone seemed to be either on a mission or locked up in their own world. Julie rounded a corner when the sound of voices caught her ear

“I think someone is suspicious of us.” Julie heard a very hushed tone say. She couldn't make out who was talking, just what they were saying.

“What makes you think that?” The voice that replied was also difficult to make out but was obviously female.

Julie was unable to make out the conversation after that, footsteps echoing through the hall covered up the hushed tones. Julie moved further down the hall so that she wouldn't be around the area. She watched as Justin and Tessa walked by going in the opposite direction from where she stood hiding. They looked deep in conversation.

Julie shook her head. If she hadn't been suspicious of them before she was even more so now. She watched from the side hallway she was in until she saw the couple disappear into another room. She started to head back down the hallway and almost ran into Kevin who was walking towards their room.

“Hello,” he said as he smirked down at her. “Getting impatient?” He asked.

Julie smiled and shrugged up at him, taking hold of his hand she dragged him back to the room. She let him know what she just overheard in the hall as they got comfortable on the couch; she noticed a stack of books in Kevin's arms for the first time when she finished talking.

“Are those them?” She asked pulling her knees to her chest.

Kevin nodded and laid them down on the coffee table. “It was what I could grab in the time before Jessica came into the office. She would be handling the books in Charles' absence so it would be good if we finished quickly and returned them so she won't notice they are missing.”

Julie cringed at the comment. If it was Charles they would have plenty of time before he noticed they were missing but Jessica was very organized and would likely discover they were missing after only a couple of hours at the most. “Let's get to work then,” Julie said as she took the top book and cracked it open.

“Here's my account,” Kevin showed her pointing to a set of numbers in the book. Julie took note of the amount that was being received. “Here's yours,” He pointed to an account a few lines down, the amounts being put in were identical but the account numbers were not the same.

The two fell silent as they started to pour over the books to find any evidence of extra funds being placed into accounts. Julie's eyes were beginning to cross as she looked at the numbers. She did notice the accounts Kevin pointed out as theirs were receiving the same amount across the board. “What's this?” She asked suddenly blinking her eyes several times to make sure what she was seeing was not due to eye strain.

Julie pointed to the figure she was looking at and showed it to Kevin. “I saw that in this book too.” He said pointing to the same figure in his book.

It was as if a fog had lifted. Once they noticed what they were looking for they were able to identify several more instances of the same thing occurring. After another hour of staring at the books the two had identified five accounts that appeared to be receiving more funds than the usual amount.

“Whose accounts are these?” She asked hopeful that Kevin would know and their search would be completed. She couldn't believe that they could be finished so soon.

Kevin shrugged. “I don't know. Unfortunately I couldn't find the master list of everyone's account numbers.”

Julie groaned and thew back her head. Of course it wouldn't be that easy. “So we know five people are receiving extra money but we don't know who they are. There are only fifteen people with the project total yet there are sixteen accounts. There is an extra account but without knowing who the accounts belong to how are we supposed to figure out who is getting extra money? We can't ask people for their account numbers.”

“We will have to...” Kevin started to talk but stopped when he saw Julie keel over in pain. “I thought you said it wasn't random.” He held on to like he was trying to keep her there or go with her, Julie couldn't tell exactly which but his hands were digging into her arms as she felt the nausea sweep through her.

“Sorry about that,” She heard Nick saying as she came around. Kevin was nowhere. “I needed to stop something and since I needed to jump...” He didn't complete his statement, Julie knew well enough because he needed to jump he had to force her to come with him.

Julie wished he hadn't apologized so soon, she really wanted to yell at him for tearing her away from the research and Kevin. “If you make me jump, I can't find out the answers you want.” She glared at him.

“I know, but like I said I needed to stop something. I received some intelligence that someone is bringing future stock trading information into the past. You are from the time period; remember the stock market decline that started around 2008?”

Julie nodded her head as he spoke.

“Someone is passing along that information so that their futures are secured along with more trading information so they can make a bundle instead of losing a vast majority.” Nick stated as he helped Julie stand, brushing some fuzz off of her shirt, his fingers lingering a little too long under her arm running slowly next to her breast.

Julie gasped before putting her arms down to stop him. “Let's get this over with.” She forced herself to say. She really just wanted him to touch her again but the memory of Kevin being left behind wondering where she went snapped her out of the urge.

The two wandered down the street, Nick stopping several times to look at the buildings around them. Julie didn't know what city they were in, she couldn't tell standing at the base of the tall buildings what city it was but she knew she was in Texas based off the license plates on the cars.

“Do you even know where you are going?” Julie asked Nick. She was irritated with the constant walking and stopping.

Nicks cheeks turned somewhat crimson from embarrassment. “Yes.” He said though she was sure he didn't or why would he blush? They walked along and finally Nick smiled when he reached a particular building. “This is it.” he announced triumphantly.

“So what do we do now?” Julie asked as they stood there.

“We wait.” Nick motioned to a nearby bench and took a seat and turned towards the entrance of the building. Julie sat down next to him. She would not have sat as close as she did if there was not a third person on the bench that caused her to sit right on top of Nick, the heat from his body warming her. She turned towards the door but instead of watching the door, her eyes stayed on the back of Nick's neck. She watched as he breathed steadily, goose bumps appearing on the back of his neck. Julie reached her arm around him and wrapped it around his waist holding him closer to her.

“Julie,” Nick whispered and turned to face her, their lips almost touching. Julie couldn't stand his lips being that close to him and not touching hers, it didn't take much movement on her part before their lips were pressed together. Julie closed her eyes as she felt the butterflies fill her stomach as their kiss intensified.

Then it ended as quickly as it had begun. Nick pulled away and turned quickly back to watching the door of the building, craning his neck to see if his intended target had already moved past them. “We need to focus,” He started to say before standing. He must have found the person he was looking for; he took off in a jog to catch the man.

Chapter 23 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

the end of the chase

It was all Julie could do to keep up with Nick as he pursued the man they had been watching for.  She almost ran into several people as she raced through the streets. The jog Nick has started out with had soon turned into a full run.  Julie managed to finally catch up when Nick had the man stopped five blocks away from original building. 

Nick was talking to the man, if Julie was seeing things correctly; Nick was pretending not to have just run to catch the man.  Julie took a few deep breaths before approaching.

“There you are darling,” Nick turned to her and looked at her sweetly.  “This man has been kind enough to help give me directions.” He pulled Julie close and looped his arm around her waist. 

It didn’t take Julie long to realize the ploy Nick was using and she quickly chimed in. “That is so kind of you sir.” She smiled warmly at the man who seemed to be a bit annoyed that he was the one asked to help out of the hundreds of people walking the streets.  “You must let us thank you.”  She spoke up thinking that they needed to distract this man.  Nick didn’t tell her any specifics so she was working off of gut instinct.

“What a fantastic idea sweetheart. You must let us treat you to a coffee or pie or both.” Nick laughed.  Julie was amazed at how easily Nick slipped into the tourist character and played off that they were just some friendly folks visiting the city that got lost. 

“Thank you, but I really must be going.” The man spoke and turned to start walking in the opposite direction as them.

“We insist,” Julie moved away from Nick and looped her arms through the other man’s arms and started to steer him off in the direction Nick was walking, towards a restaurant.

“No really,” The man spoke trying to pull away from Julie.  Julie looked at Nick and he held up five fingers, she figured they needed to distract him for at least five more minutes.

“Where did you get this tie?” Julie grabbed the man’s tie and ran her fingers along it.  It really wasn’t a very good looking tie, but she needed to stall him still.  “Nick, darling, this is exactly the kind of tie you need to get to make a good impression for your job interview. I mean just look at this man, he looks like he has a good job and he has a tie like this.” She pulled the material closer to inspect the pattern of fish on his tie.  “And honey, you love to fish.”

“You know it,” Nick smiled and approached the man and took the tie in his own hands.  “I do like this tie. Where can I get one like it?” Nick asked holding firmly to the tie so that the man could not walk away. 

“Here take mine,” The man blurted out and undid the tie tossing it at Nick.  “I really must go.”

Nick nodded slightly at Julie; it was safe to let him go.  “Well if you must, thanks again.” She waved her fingers at the man who was speeding down the street rushing to meet a deadline he that had already passed.

“Stock market is closed; he won’t be doing any trading today.” Nick spoke, the serious tone back in his voice.   “We work well together,” he smirked at her and grabbed her waist pulling her close.

“We certainly did.” Julie nodded trying to keep her eyes away from Nick.  Maybe if she didn’t look at him the burning desire to kiss him again would go away.  “Look, Nick.” She turned to face him, the desire in his eyes almost made her pull him closer.  She pulled his arms off of her and took a step away.  “You can’t go whisking me away at a moment’s notice.  I told Kevin…”

“You what?” Nick spun away from her running his hands through his hair. 

“I love him, Nick.” Julie emphasized.   “Of course I was going to tell him that you are alive and what you’ve told me.”

“Did you tell him about the other night,” Nick turned to face her, she could see what looked like bragging in his eyes. 

Julie shook her head.  “No, I didn’t.” She answered meekly. 

“And what about the kiss we just shared, will you keep that from him too?” He asked his voice full of venom.

“You know I will.  I don’t know why I want to be with you, why I want to hold you close to feel your lips on mine.   I love Kevin.” She stated again to reassure herself and to keep herself from pulling Nick close, to kiss him, to see him smile again.   “I want him involved in the search.”

“What? No.” Nick threw his hands up in the air.

“If I am going to help you, I need help on my end.  I trust Kevin, I want him involved.” She stated.  “That means, if you are going to take me away to help you stop something from happening you are going to get word to Kevin as to where he can join us.”  Julie didn’t just want Kevin around to help the investigation.  She thought that if he was around this strange desire for Nick would go away.

“How do you suppose I get word to Kevin?” He asked with a snarl on his face.

“You have an inside man.  Get notes to us saying where you need us to go.”  Julie stated plainly.

“You are still trying to figure out who my inside man is aren’t you?” Nick chuckled.

“I am, but that is not why I am asking you to do this.  We could use his help and you know it.” Julie stated.  “We stopped this man, but we didn’t find the volunteer or volunteers that gave him the information to begin with did we?” Julie asked.

Nick looked down before looking back up at her.  “Maybe if you hadn’t kissed me.” He shot back knowing that their intimate actions were causing her confusion.

Julie shook off the comment.  “Kevin helps.”

“Fine,” Nick finally agreed.

Julie stuck out her hand and waited for Nick to take it so they could shake it.  He grabbed her hand and shook it slowly, holding her gaze with his own. A brief desire to pull him close came over her and she dropped his hand.  “Now, can you get me back please?” She asked.

Nick bowed deeply, “As you wish.”

Julie shook her head and crossed her arms, waiting for him to send her back to Kevin, back where she belonged. 

Julie fought off the urge to keel over in pain and to vomit right there as she felt herself being pulled through time.  She smiled as she saw the familiar white halls of the project.  She gave herself a minute then stood and made her way back to her room.  Kevin was sitting there pouring over the books.

“Hi,” he murmured when he saw she had returned.

“Hi,” She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his head and pulled it close to her chest.  She kissed the top of his head before he pulled away from her.  She looked down at the books in front of Kevin.  These were not the financial books but rather they looked like the books that recorded where each volunteer jumped.

“Nick?” he asked.

Julie nodded.  “He had to stop someone from using knowledge about the future of the stock market.  Since he jumped, I went with him and I helped stop him.” Julie shrugged like it was no big deal. There was no way she was going to talk about the kiss, the desire to touch Nick.  She didn’t know what had gone through her, she didn’t feel those things now.  

“I told him that if he is going to keep using me, then I wanted you told so you could help.” Julie moved to sit in Kevin’s lap but he crossed his legs so she was forced to continue to stand.

“Kevin?” Julie asked.  “Are you still wealthy?” She asked. She wasn’t sure why she wanted to ask but she had to know.  What if it was his past that they had fixed?

“Yes…” He answered slowly.  He turned from her and went back to staring at the books.  Julie moved to sit on the couch and wait for him to respond regarding him helping with Nick.

“Kevin, he agreed to let you help. He figured a way to get messages to you.  I really want you there if he makes me jump again.”  Julie said, rubbing her eyes to keep the tears away.  She hated when he sat in silent moods. 

Julie felt the couch next to hear depress and she looked up to see Kevin next to her.  He lifted her chin with his finger so they were looking into each other’s eyes.  “I will go with you, if not just to be with you to make sure you are safe but to possibly capture him.”

Julie started to protest but he held up his finger to quiet her and pulled her close, kissing her.  Julie smiled when she felt desire for Kevin rise as they kissed.  After everything with Nick she was worried she wouldn’t want Kevin anymore.

“So what should we do now to figure out this thing on our end?” Kevin asked.

Julie recounted what she saw with Jessica and Howie. Kevin’s eyes darkened at the mention of Howie. Julie knew he didn’t like that his friend was being accused of being on the take but he couldn’t deny that he wasn’t part of the conspiracy.

“Let’s go.” Kevin said standing. 

“Where are we going?” Julie asked as she followed him out the door. 

“I want Howie to tell me to my face if he’s involved or not.” Kevin’s face was determined as they made their way down the hall to Howie’s office.

Chapter 24 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Kevin wants answers but will he like them?

Kevin didn’t even bother knocking on Howie’s door as he barged into the man’s office. Julie trailed in behind wanting to know the answers and to see how Howie reacted to being accused. The one they went in search of was not in his office when they arrived. Kevin turned to look at Julie who only shrugged. She didn’t know what Kevin would want to do now that the man he was looking for was not where he thought he’d be.

“I saw a check over here,” She offered up the information in hopes that Kevin would look in the general area, they would find the check together and it would help him realize that one of his oldest friends was not who he said he was.

Kevin moved towards the stack of papers Julie indicated but threw up his hands. “Nothing,” He stated and took a seat. As if on cue, the door to Howie’s office opened and Howie came wandering in.

“Hello?” he questioned when he saw the two seemingly waiting for him. “To what do I owe this honor? Did Julie jump again? Do you need me to check her virus levels?” He asked. Julie noted a tone to his voice that she could only convey as excitement as he asked about her virus.

“No,” Julie was quick to add. “I haven’t jumped.” She eyed Kevin and hoped that she got her meaning. ‘Do not tell Howie about Nick and the virus.’

Kevin seemed to understand and tried to look as casual as he could. “Just visiting,” He tossed out.

“Kevin, I know you too well. You never ‘just visit’ my office.” Howie looked at his friend and then to Julie and back again. “What’s going on?” He asked as he caught the looks the two were sharing between each other.

“Julie mentioned something she saw when she was here.” Kevin lifted his hands as he shrugged his shoulders.

“The check?” Howie asked looking at Julie with a perplexed look. “What about it?” he turned back to Kevin as he asked.

“Are you doing any side projects that you are being paid extra for?” Kevin asked. Julie could see the struggle going on for Kevin in trying to form a question that could lead to the answer without blurting out that they knew someone inside the project was changing history for money.

“It was grant money.” He admitted.

“But the rejection letters,” Julie commented. She remembered seeing several letters rejecting Howie for any kind of money.

Howie blushed at the mention of those letters. “Yes, when I attempted grants for my own side projects I was rejected if Charles was not involved. I replied stating that Charles would very much be involved in all of my research and they sent the money.”

“Why are you embarrassed?” Kevin asked.

“What?” He asked looking at Kevin. “Why would you say that?”

“Howie, how long have we known each other?” Was all Kevin asked.

“Yes, of course. It’s embarrassing that I can’t get the funding unless I promise the help of another scientist who has no interest in my research. I am embarrassed because I lied to the company to get the funding.” Howie seeing Kevin’s face fall slightly at the mention of him lying quickly stated. “It’s important research!”

It was quiet for a short time as Julie watched Kevin process what he’d just heard. Julie knew that he believed him and trusted that his friend was not involved in the larger scheme going on at the project.

“I’m sorry to come at you about this Howie, but there is a reason.” Kevin stood and approached Howie.

“Kevin you can’t,” Julie started talking. “Not everyone could know what was going on, information could leak out and scare off those who are responsible.”

“What are you talking about?” Howie asked eyeing Julie suspiciously.

Julie sighed and threw up her hands as Kevin started to answer Howie’s question. “It seems there are a few people within that project that are receiving more funds than the others.” Kevin pulled out one of the pages of the ledger he’d been looking at to show Howie. Julie watched as the two men looked at the paper and Kevin showed the five accounts they found that were receiving excess funds.

“Well this account here,” Howie pointed to a number and motioned for Julie to come look at the paperwork. “This account is the one Charles and I share for grant monies.”

“Then why does the account receive regular amounts like all the other volunteers?” Julie asked pointing out the regular amounts that were the same amount that she received in her account monthly.

“Well, see we have a few sponsors that donate based on the amount of need. They will give us a certain amount based on how many volunteers we have working for us at any one time. If we do not have all positions filled they will cut us that volunteers “allowance” amount. Having this account set up keeps us from losing those funds that we use for project expenses, and in case we have a volunteer suddenly join up.” Howie added eyeing Julie.

“Oh,” Julie stated somewhat sheepishly. She had to admit, what he was saying made sense. Why would he be changing history anyway, Howie never went on missions. “You never go on missions do you?”

Howie shook his head. “No, I don’t even have the gene in my DNA to allow me to travel. Why?”

Julie mentally slapped herself. Howie didn’t know why they were questioning the extra surge of funds, they just asked about the check she saw. Nothing was mentioned about changing history to make extra cash. If he didn’t have the gene though, it couldn’t be him. Maybe Jessica was clear too if she did not have the gene either.

“Julie received a tip that there are a few people from within the project who are being paid to change history.” Kevin answered Howie’s question. “I’m sorry I had to tell him Julie we could use his help.” Kevin turned to Julie who was looking upset at him.

“Where did you get this information?” Howie rounded on Julie as he spoke.

Julie shook her head. “I’m afraid I can’t tell you that right now.” Julie raised her eyebrows and looked at Kevin, giving him a look that told him he shouldn’t say anything at this point either.

“So you’ve been told by someone, that volunteers inside the project have been changing history for money?” Howie spoke more to himself than to the two others in the room. “Can I see that page of the accounts that you showed me. I know a few of the numbers.”

Julie moved closer to Kevin and Howie as Kevin spread the paper out on the table in front of them again. Julie watched Kevin as Kevin watched Howie looking over the page. The thought of Kevin forever tore her apart inside. She had to find a way to cure the virus that was multiplying inside of her and would eventually kill her.

Kevin must have felt her eyes on him, he looked up and their eyes locked. He attempted a smile for her before looking back down at the page. Julie decided she would have to prove to Kevin that she loved him, that anything that went on between Nick and herself was nothing to what she felt for him.

“This account here,” Howie pointed to a number on the page. Julie looked down to see what he was pointing at. “This is my own personal account. See, nothing extra.” He traced his finger along the line to show the same amount being added to the account every time.

“This one here,” Howie pointed to a line, Julie followed it with her eyes. It was one of the five that received extra monies. Howie knew one of the culprits. “This one I know for sure belongs to Brian.”

Chapter 25 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Brian???

“No!” Kevin shouted at the revelation that Howie gave, Brian was receiving extra funds. “There is no way he is one of them.” Kevin moved towards Howie in a threatening manner. Howie held up his hands and backed away. It looked like he wanted to say something more but Kevin punching the air in front of him kept him from speaking.

Julie moved closer to him and wrapped her laid her hand on his arm in an attempt to calm him down. “Think about how many times you’ve covered for him to see family in the last year.” Julie pointed out. She hated to think of Brian as being one in on this but it did make sense. He was stuck doing something he didn’t care for, and he was away from his family. He was the only volunteer that Julie could think of that had a family and was still in the project.

“I can’t accept it,” Kevin said sitting down and hanging his head.

“Guys,” Howie spoke. “You have it wrong.”

“What?” Julie asked as Kevin looked back at the other man in the room.

“Brian is not guilty of changing history. I pointed it out so that we could discount it from the investigation.” Howie added.

“What do you mean? You showed he was getting extra money.” Julie asked looking at the sheet again. Maybe she had the wrong line?

“He is getting extra money.” Howie admitted and held his hands up in front of himself adding quickly. “But his position earns him that money.”

Julie looked at Howie confused and Kevin must have been giving the same look because Howie delved into an explanation. “The Librarian position has always earned extra income because of the nature of their job.”

“Because they are away from home?” Julie nodded as she asked. It made sense, they had to live in a time apart so they got paid more.

Howie looked at Kevin and continued hesitantly. “The Librarian gets paid extra due to the extra coding that goes into their DNA in order for them to perform their duties.”

“Extra coding equals more money? Wouldn’t everyone be fighting for a chance at that position?” Julie wondered.

Howie hesitated again glancing at the both of them before continuing. “For one, only a few are able to accept the coding as The Librarian and the link that connects them to The Library gives them some health issues.” Howie’s eyes got wide as if something just hit him. He turned to some shelves lined with several books and pulled one off beginning to thumb through them.

“And you let him do this?” Kevin’s voice rang out in the now quiet lab startling both Howie and Julie. “What about his family Howie?”

“It was not my decision to make. When it was discovered he helped Nick, Charles and Jessica decided it would be best to send Brian back to keep an eye on Charles, to ensure the project got started.” Howie turned from the book, his eyes falling briefly on Julie before settling on Kevin. “Brian asked if he could be tested to see if he’d be a match to become The Librarian. He decided, on his own,” Howie emphasized, “that if he could not be here for his family because of his past actions he would take on the position of The Librarian to help him while he was banished to twenty-twelve.”

“Nick is gone,” Julie spoke glancing at Kevin briefly. “Why doesn’t he come home?”

Howie shrugged at Julie’s question. “He felt that with Steph still a viable threat he would continue to watch over Charles until we could bring her in. We weren’t sure what Steph would try to do so we agreed.”

Kevin shook his head in disbelief. “And he’s been guilting me into watching Charles while he visits his family, the little…” Kevin dropped the sentence, he looked much more calm then he did before. “I still can’t believe he decided to do something that could give him health issues though.”

“Charles has it stabilized. Brian hasn’t been showing any ill effects yet.” Howie spoke up returning to his book. “Someone had to watch Charles though so he could spend time with his child and wife though.” Howie added with his back turned to the couple.

Julie stood between Kevin’s legs as he continued to sit. “Well, that means we can cross off two of the accounts.” Julie sighed. “Three left to figure out.”

“Howie, do you have an idea of who the other accounts are?” Kevin asked his friend.

Howie shook his head but did not turn to look around. He was engrossed in what he was reading. “I only know Brian’s account because I’m the one that set it up so that the funds filter from his account to an account his wife can access.”

“Better than not knowing anything.” Julie piped up.

Placing a marker on his spot in the book, Howie turned back 0around. “Why are you looking into this? How did you come by this information?”

Kevin started to speak up but Julie looked at him sternly and he closed his mouth. “Can’t say,” he mumbled and looked down, away from Howie’s gaze.

“I might be able to help you more if I knew where this information was coming from.” Howie admitted.

Julie hesitated but eventually gave in. “Go ahead and tell him.” She ran her hand over Kevin’s head and moved out of the way so the men could see each other without her as a barrier.

“Julie got the information from Nick.” Kevin admitted.

Upon hearing this information, Howie’s eyes fell on Julie. “From Nick? And you believe him?” He asked in a confused tone. “He tried to kill you.”

“I know,” she sighed out in exasperation. “But I don’t have much choice in the matter. We are linked.”

Howie nodded as if he already knew this fact. “I just discovered that your virus was a crude form of the link that connects The Library and The Librarian, I was going to do further tests. It has never been used to link two people together to jump though.” Howie spoke calmly now, almost as if he forgot the fact that Nick was still alive. “So when you jump, does he jump?” Howie asked.

Julie shrugged in response. “I haven’t tried that. When he jumps I go with him.”

Howie nodded, “Then it likely will not work the other way.”

“Look, Nick got Steph to inject me so that he could use me so he could jump. Somehow he visited a time in the future that cured him of the defective gene that allowed him to jump in the first place. Using this he got me away from the Project and told me what he had found out from someone on the inside, a spy. That someone inside was changing history for money. He told me that if I proved him wrong he would turn himself in. I am only looking into the possibility.” Julie added. The possibility was looking more and more likely the more she investigated but she didn’t want Howie to know for sure she believed Nick.

Howie nodded. “Right, and he expects you to help him because if he is right you get what? To die? The virus you have is very crude indeed since it is spreading. It is the earliest form of the link between The Library and The Librarian but the link between two people must be causing the rapid spread. How did he even get this technology, he was a genius at reading the coding but this…” Howie looked at Kevin then back at Julie.

“If I help him and prove him right, he will return, well, he has Charles.” Julie spat out the last words.

“He has Charles!” Howie shouted at her. The mere fact that Howie was shouting caused Julie to be alarmed, he never seemed to raise his voice. “You knew this and you kept it to yourself? We need to get him back, do you know where he is holding him?”

Julie shook her head. “I didn’t actually see him, but how else would he have all the information he had about what happened to him and then this,” She pointed to her whole body to indicate the virus that dwelled inside of her linking them together.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to yell.” Howie turned to look away from Julie and Kevin. “I need time to think about some things. Also, I need to do some research since I now have a starting point in what to research regarding Julie’s virus. I may not have Charles, but I do have his research.” Howie sat in front of the book and started to read and take notes, completely ignoring the two in the room, not even bothering to tell them good-bye.

Julie could feel Kevin’s hand in hers as he took hold of her hand and guided her out of the room. “What next?” he asked.

“Is there a way we can find out where a couple of volunteers are headed next?” Julie smirked up at Kevin.

“Yes, why?” Kevin asked.

“I want to know where Justin and Tessa are headed next.” She stated simply. She hated to imply her friend but with what she heard and with everyone seeming suspicious she had to check them out.

“This way,” Kevin pulled her along the corridor to the office that Kevin often went into for meetings with Charles and Howie, meetings she was not allowed to attend. He pushed the door open and flicked the light switch. Kevin dropped her hand and made his way over to a large stack of books and opened the first one. He ripped out the top page and quickly shut the light back off and just as quickly as they arrived, they were gone again.

“What is that room?” Julie asked.

“It’s where the assignments are given. If Jessica is sticking with the pre-assigned jumps this is where we should find them next. You want to follow them there and then see about getting information to follow them if they jump away?” Kevin asked.

Julie nodded. “I just want to find out what is going on and get Charles back so that he can fix me.” She admitted. “Right now I don’t care who is responsible I just want it over.” Julie did not smile as she spoke. She couldn’t believe Tessa would be involved in something like this, but she’d already accused Kevin and Howie and she wouldn’t think it of them either. Someone had to be responsible though and she was determined to find out who.

Chapter 26 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Kevin and Nick meet again....

Kevin and Julie returned to their room with the information.  All the way back to the room Julie felt like she was being watched.  She hoped the feeling of paranoia was only because they were investigating their fellow volunteers, their friends, and that it wasn’t because she really was being followed around.  Though Nick’s spy was somewhere and was likely watching her when she least expected it.


 Kevin shut the door and locked it after she entered the room. Julie moved closer to him and pulled him into her arms.


  “I’m sorry I accused you.” She whispered into his chest.


  “You didn’t know who you could trust.” Kevin stated though he did not sound like she was forgiven by his tone.  “Nick has always been playing with your mind, and I admit I haven’t been the easiest to trust.”


  Julie knew he was thinking about when they first met.  He gave her something to make her sick so that he could get her alone, then he acted suspiciously the first time Nick got to her and made her think that Kevin was one of the bad guys. 


 Julie pulled back and looked up at Kevin.  “I love you.” She stated pulling him closer so she could kiss him.


 “I love you too,” he replied when they broke apart.  Slowly he moved back towards the bed unbuttoning Julie’s pants as they moved.  They collapsed onto the bed, lips still pressed together.  They both tried to move a slow pace, to savor their time together but the caresses brought Julie’s body back to the memory of being with Nick and her body felt the need to be with someone.  


  Her hand found its way to Kevin’s pants, quickly undoing the button.  Kevin’s hands pulled her closer as they searched her body resting on her breasts. He started to fondle them with one hand as the other grabbed hold of her ass pulling her up so that his mouth could reach her nipples.  Julie felt his warm mouth on her skin just as she started to feel the nausea rip through her body.  She didn’t even have time to look at Kevin’s shocked face before she found herself getting off the ground near Nick.


 “What the hell!” She shouted at Nick apparently unaware that her shirt was missing and her pants were undone.


  Nick put his hand out to help her but she was to her feet before she saw it.  She smacked his hand away and continued to glare at him.    She started to shiver realizing her shit was missing she crossed her arms across her chest.  Thankfully she still had her bra but it would not help keep her warm.  Nick moved closer to her and removed the jacket he was wearing and wrapped it around her shoulders.        


  He stood rubbing her arms in an attempt to warm her up. Julie could feel his breath on her as they stood near each other.   “Cold?” Nick asked sarcastically.


 Julie only glared at him in response.


  “My person left a note stating the time I would be jumping.” He defended himself to her glare.  “It’s not my fault you were…” He stopped unable to finish his statement.  Julie thought he saw a look of hurt across his face, like he didn’t want to think of her being with Kevin.


  “I didn’t see it.” She said noticing that they were standing closer still.  Nick’s hands had slowed down on rubbing her arms and one hand was now brushing back the strands of her hair that had escaped her ponytail. 


  Julie watched Nick’s lips as he moved closer.  Her stomach started flutter with the thought that he was going to kiss her any second.   “I needed to see…”


  “Julie?” a voice from behind startled her causing her to jump away from Nick in an attempt to show nothing had been going on.


  “Kevin, how did you find us?” She asked as she turned towards him, her cheeks felt warm and she stepped closer to Kevin taking the clothing he was holding out to her. 


 “I thought you could use this,” he muttered, his eyes glaring at Nick over Julie’s shoulder.  


  “Thank you,” She took the shirt and jacket from him and attempted to hug him but he just stood there staring at the other man.   “How did you find us?” She repeated the question as she shed Nick’s jacket and put her shirt on. 


  “I found a note on the desk after you jumped giving the time and place you would be.”  Kevin answered.


  “I told you I would get word to him, I kept my end.” Nick called out from behind her. 


  “Why are we here?” Kevin looked down at Julie but his question was addressed to Nick.


  Nick moved to take his jacket from Julie who had turned to hand it back to him.  She watched as he put it on, he avoided eye contact with her and made sure to only look above her head to meet Kevin’s eyes. 


 “I wanted to know what was going on with the investigation.” Nick replied.  “I can’t stand sitting around unable to do anything while others look into something.”


  The two men stood staring at each other; Julie looked back and forth between the two and shook her head.   Julie could see the desire to attack Nick looming in Kevin’s eyes. 


  “Is that the real reason?” Kevin asked Nick.


  Nick nodded in reply, a little too quickly for Kevin’s liking and he moved to step towards the younger man but Julie put her hand to his chest to stop him.


  “Nick, we were going to go to the jump of a couple of volunteers that I suspect might be behind the changes. We were going to investigate them and if they jump away from where they are supposed to be without completing their mission or not even show up then we have more reason to investigate them back at the project.” Julie stated standing between the two men hoping that neither would take a swing at the other with her standing in the middle. 


 “I want to come along.” Nick spoke up.  Julie’s heart skipped a beat at him wanting to be with her longer.  She cursed at herself thinking like that.  It wasn’t like he was a famous singer that she wanted to meet and hang out with, this was a man who tried to kill her and ruin the lives of countless others.


 “I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Kevin spoke moving his gaze away from Nick and onto Julie. 


  “Okay.” Julie spoke at the same time as Kevin and cringed when she realized that Kevin had protested and she’d agreed so easily.


  “Where are we going?” Nick asked ignoring Kevin’s remark and looking at Julie for the answer.


  Julie turned to Kevin and tried to convey she was sorry with her eyes as she held out her hand.  “Can I have the page?” she asked.  He didn’t say he had the information with him but if she knew him like she thought she did, he most likely had the page shoved in his pocket still.


  Kevin took out the page and handed it to her.  She moved over to Nick and programmed his device.  “I will go with Nick and meet you there.”  She said to Kevin as Nick took a hold of her hand.


  Kevin opened his mouth to protest but Nick cut him off by pushing the button to jump. Julie braced herself for the pain of the jump.  She was secretly glad Nick took her hand when they jumped, she felt safer jumping with the pain and nausea while someone was next to her.


 Julie gave Nick a half smile when they arrived, he was fighting it, but she could tell that the jumps were causing just as much pain to him when they jumped and for the first time she wondered if the link would kill him as well as her.  Kevin showed up a few seconds later and grabbed hold of Julie pulling her close.


  “I hate seeing you go through that. How are you?” His voice was dripping with concern for her. 


  “I’m fine.” She managed to mutter and let him wrap his arms around her and hold her close.


  “I’m okay too.” Nick spat out.


  Julie could tell that Kevin wanted to say something but he held the comment in and told them they should watch for the other two to show up.   The three spread out along the street.  Julie didn’t know much about where or when they jumped to so she tried to blend in as best she could watching for Tessa and Justin to show up.


  After several minutes Kevin wandered further down the street and Nick wandered over towards her.  “I still don’t get you two.” He muttered.


  “What?” Julie asked.


  “When I first found out that you and Kevin would end up together I was angry, but you know that part.” Nick smirked at her, his eyes twinkling mischievously as he spoke nonchalantly about how tried to get revenge against Kevin through her.   “I started to wonder if maybe I pushed you two to be together by my actions.” He shrugged.


  “What?” Julie wondered.  She loved Kevin before Nick did anything but would she have ended up with Kevin if Nick had not interfered?


  “I had a lot of time to think when I recovered and couldn’t jump on my own.” He moved closer to Julie.  “If I hadn’t asked you to get involved, if I’d dropped my revenge, if I’d dropped jumping in time, could we have ended up together?”  His voice was barely above a whisper as he asked the last question.  Julie’s knees were feeling weak as he admitted to her that he’d possibly felt something for her.


  “You don’t know what you are saying; you never cared for me in that way, I was the means to an end.” She looked away quickly before she really did collapse. 


  “There they are.” Julie pointed to a couple rounding the corner.   Julie watched as Nick kept his face averted.


 “They are here.” Kevin was instantly at Julie’s other side. She had no idea where he came from and she jumped slightly when he spoke.


 “Now to watch them.” Julie turned moved so that she was standing behind a crowd of people, Kevin and Nick joined her. 


“Who is it?” Nick asked.


 “There,” Julie carefully pointed in the direction of Tessa and Justin.


  “No, it can’t…” Nick started to talk and stopped himself quickly.


 “What is it Nick?” Julie asked reaching out to touch his hand lightly.  Feeling Kevin’s eyes on her, Julie quickly pulled her hand off of Nick’s and stood watching the two wondering what Nick was going to say.


 “It’s not them.” Nick stated adamantly walking in the opposite direction.


 Julie watched in horror as Kevin charged the other man and tackled him into the nearby alley.  She rounded the corner to find Nick slammed against the wall, pinned there by Kevin’s arm across his neck, choking him.

Chapter 27 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

I suppose he does deserve it, a little.

“Kevin!” Julie shouted as she rushed over in an attempt to pull them apart.  She was finding it difficult since Kevin had his entire weight pushed up against the other man.  Julie looked on in horror as Nick’s face started to turn blue.   Julie continued to try to pull them apart as Kevin started to speak.

“What are you playing at? Why can’t it be either of those two?” Kevin demanded to know.

Nick could only make sputtering noises in return, Kevin’s arm still firmly across his throat.

“Kevin, he can’t answer you; he’s going to pass out.” Julie looked up the man she loved, pleading with her eyes that he let Nick go.  

Kevin blinked a few times and shook his head, releasing Nick.  He let Nick fall to the ground and turned away from Julie rushing to Nick’s side to ensure he was doing okay.

“I’m fine.” Nick said as he stood up.   “I just don’t think it can be them.”  Nick said again.

“Why not?” Julie asked him this time.

Nick looked at Julie with pleading eyes.  “I can’t tell you, it is something I need to look into but it’s not them.”

Kevin turned around and glowered at the two of them standing so close together.  “You told Julie that someone inside the project was responsible.  Someone I work with everyday and trust with my life is taking advantage to better their own situations.   If I have to investigate people I trust then shouldn’t you have to investigate people that you think it couldn’t possibly be?”  Kevin’s voice was calm, but there was an edge to it that Julie knew he was keeping another outburst at bay.  “If you are so confident that it is not them, investigating them will not hurt.  Or are you afraid we will discover your spy?”

Nick shook his head.  “No,” He replied.   “You have a point.” He conceded.  Julie stood looking between the two.  With Kevin watching, Nick grabbed hold of her hand and started to pull her back towards the street.  “We will investigate.”  He said smugly.

As they passed, Kevin grabbed Julie’s other hand and pulled her closer to him.  “Julie can investigate with me.”

Julie pulled her hands out of the grip of each of the guys.  “I will investigate alone, you two can investigate together.” She said and stormed off.  She moved around the street keeping her face hidden as she watched for Tessa and Justin.   She saw the woman wandering around the area, obviously searching for someone.  When Tessa’s eyes flew in Julie’s direction she quickly turned away and busied herself looking at a newspaper nearby.      

Cautiously she turned her attention back to where Tessa was but the other woman was gone.  “Damn,” Julie cursed wondering if she’d been spotted or if Tessa had jumped.    She made her way over to the side of the street Tessa had been standing on only moments before.

“Excuse me,” She stopped a man who had been standing there but was not about to leave.  “Did you see a woman here just a minute ago?”

The man nodded his head.

“Did you see which way she went?” Julie hoped there was a direction, if he didn’t see where she went it was likely she jumped and Julie would have missed her opportunity to follow her any further.

“I think she went that way,” the man pointed to his left and Julie’s head whipped around to see if she could see any trace of Tessa before she headed in that direction.

“Are you sure?” She asked.

The man shrugged and started walking in the opposite direction that he’d pointed Julie in.  Out of instinct Julie followed the man instead of going in the direction he led her in.  As she walked her eyes fell on Kevin as he attempted to blend into the crowd.  Julie was glad that the streets of New York had a steady stream of people as it made it easy to follow the man.

“Did you see the date?” Nick asked her rubbing his hands together.

Julie nodded. She caught the date on the newspaper when she averted her face from Tessa, December 8th, 1980.  “Should I know it?” She asked.

“I’d think you’d know the date more than I would since you were born in the eighty’s,” Nick commented making sure she knew he was giving her a hard time about technically being older than him.

“Are you going to tell me or do I have to wait for the event to happen?” Julie glanced at Nick before moving around a slow moving pedestrian.

“It’s the day Lennon was shot.” Nick said somberly in a hushed tone.

“What?” Julie stopped and looked at Nick. 

Nick nodded and pulled her arm to get her to start walking again.  She could tell there was some hesitation in how he was walking.  He wanted to go where they were headed, Julie was almost sure now that they were headed in the direction that the assassination would happen. 

Julie and Nick stopped when they rounded a corner and saw the hundreds of people already standing around.  “It happened.”  Julie whispered. 

“Yup,” Nick replied.  They stood in silence watching the crowd of people crying over the loss. 

Julie could feel Kevin come up from behind her and place his hands on her shoulders.  “We should get going.” He said.

“They didn’t change anything.” Julie whispered.  “It can’t be them.”   She said as she turned to look at Kevin.  He shrugged, she could tell he wasn't entirely convinced yet. 

“Let’s get out of here.” Kevin wrapped his arm around Julie and they started to walk off.  Julie stopped and looked back at Nick.

“Are you coming?” She asked him.

He stood there; shoulders slumped just staring at the scene in front of them.  “You go back with Kevin.  Steph is here; I will contact her and go back with her.  There are a few things I want to look into before I leave anyway.”  He continued to stand there.  He didn’t even bother to say good-by to them as they walked away.

“Something is wrong with him.” Julie spoke as Kevin and Julie walked along a distance from Nick.

“Who cares,” Kevin grumbled.  “I should be going back there and grabbing him and taking both of you back with me.”

“Kevin you know we need his help to find Charles and you know you want to find out who is behind this too.” Julie wrapped her arms around his one as they strolled. 

“I just get the feeling there is more between you two than you are letting on.”  Kevin stated looking down at her as they walked.

Julie could feel her cheeks turn red and she hoped he would just think that it was the cool air giving her rosy cheeks.  “Let’s just get home and figure out whom to follow next.” 

Kevin nodded and when they reached an alley a good distance away from the crowds, Kevin dialed his device and Julie clung to him as they jumped.  She was pleased when she realized she did not feel the pain or nausea she’d been feeling during her jumps with Nick and made a mental note to tell Howie when she got a chance. 

They walked in silence back to their room, Julie needed to prove to Kevin that there was nothing between her and Nick, despite her desire to touch him, to kiss him, every time they were near each other. 

“Kevin, listen, about Nick,” Julie started talking.

“There you two are,” Howie’s voice interrupted her.  They turned to face Howie who was looking at them, a mixed look of concern and anger on his face. 

“Howie, there was something I wanted to discuss with you.” Julie smiled, glad to see the man.

“Do you want to tell me why you two have gone rogue?” Howie blurt out.

Chapter 28 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie's heart decides

“What are you talking about Howie?” Kevin demanded to know. Julie could only stand there staring at the man who just accused them of being the ones to change history. They are the ones that told him it was happening.

“I spoke with Jessica on the matter.” Howie started.

“Why did you tell her, she's one of the ones I think is behind it,” Julie blurted out before realizing that she hadn't mentioned that to Howie. Julie threw her hands up in frustration and looked to Kevin for help but he was being silent. Julie had only seen Kevin silent when upset one other time and it was worse than if he was yelling. Julie hated to her him yell but she would take that over his silence any day.

“Did you think I wouldn't discuss it with her? With Charles missing she's in charge and you are accusing other volunteers of being paid to change history. I couldn't leave her out of an accusation like that, you should know that Kevin.”

“So because you talked to her she convinced you that we are behind it? Don't you think that in itself is odd?” Julie stood with her hands on her hips, both she and Kevin made sure to stay a distance away. Julie's eyes darted around every so often, if Howie was accusing them there had to be someone around that was ready to take them to holding cells. She saw all too often, where the project was concerned, you were guilty until proven innocent.

Howie held up his hands as if he knew what Julie was thinking. “I wish I wasn't accusing you but Jessica has told me of the way that rogue volunteers are recruiting now and it seems you have fallen for it.” He shook his head and took a step closer; Kevin held his arm in front of Julie and took a step back. “It seems they recently turned another volunteer in the same manner, they told the volunteer that someone inside the project was dirty and they turned away from the project and joined with the rogue volunteers. Kevin, you know we ceased recruiting new volunteers, it turns out this was one of the reasons.”

“We are not working for the rogue volunteers,” Julie shot out at the man.

Howie didn't even look at her. “Kevin, you aren't in trouble. You just need to stop what you are doing and explain what happened. I told Jessica that I wanted to let you two know so you could stop, I told her that if you knew you would end it and tell us who was really behind it.”

“What about the evidence we showed you? You saw the accounts.” Kevin's voice was stead as he talked with his friend but all Julie could think was that it was about time he spoke up. She could feel the muscles in Kevin's arm tense, she knew he had a plan and it would happen fast when it did happen.

“Falsified evidence,” Howie replied without missing a beat almost as if he'd prepared the answer before confronting them. “We only want to find out who is trying to recruit you, who told you the story so that we can put a stop to this.”

“Howie, I believe Julie, I believe someone inside the project is making changes for payment and I will not rest until I get to the bottom of it.” Kevin wrapped his arm through Julie's and she started to wonder when Kevin would act.

Howie approached the duo and started to reach out to grab a hold of Julie. Julie knew that if Howie could capture her he'd have more of a chance of detaining Kevin. “I really must insist.”

Before Julie could really understand what was happening, Kevin swung around to face her and pulled her close and soon they were no longer standing inside the halls of the project. Kevin had jumped them away.

“Kevin what were you thinking?” Julie asked pushing him away. She was thankful she was out of there but also concerned about how it would look. “It looks like we are guilty now.”

“I refuse to be accused of something I am not a part of. I will not go back until we have the person behind the changes so we can prove our innocence. And Nick too,” His voice came out like a snarl when he said Nick's name. Kevin stepped closer and pulled Julie into a hug. “We will do this.” He whispered reassuringly before Julie pulled away.

“How can they think we are changing history, that we've been recruited to the rogue volunteers?” Julie asked. She couldn't understand how Howie would think that of either of them considering all they went through not that long ago with Nick.

“We are working with a rogue volunteer though,” Kevin spoke not even trying to hide the detest in his voice at the mention of working with Nick.

“I shouldn't have gotten you involved,” Julie spoke moving back towards Kevin and pulling him close. “I should have looked into this on my own and left you out.” her voice was little more than a whisper as she tried to comfort Kevin though it was really her that needed the comforting if she'd let herself admit it.

Kevin shook his head and kissed her forehead. “No, I'm glad you brought me in. I want to know who is behind this just as badly. That and when this is over I intend to bring Nick in, you know that.” There was a determination to Kevin's voice that almost scared Julie, she knew that Kevin would not forgive Nick as easily as she seemed to have done but there seemed to be more to his hostility than just hate for trying to kill them both. “At least we are together.” He told her smiling.

Julie shrugged away from Kevin when he attempted to move closer to kiss her. She felt his muscles tense with the rejection.

“There is something going on between you and Nick isn't there?” He asked but Julie knew it wasn't a question so much as a statement. One look at Julie's face must have told him what he wanted. He turned away from her and ran his hand through his hair. They stood their silently for awhile until Kevin finally turned around and approached her taking both of her hands.

“If you want him, just let me know now so I can start tell my heart to release you.” Julie looked into his green eyes and the sadness in them. It was similar to the sadness she remembered seeing when she saw him older in twenty forty-five, was this why? Did she break his heart? No, she knew she did not do that, she loved him and never wanted to be without him so why was she messing around with Nick?

“I will be honest with you Kevin, I have no idea what is going on between him and me. When I am around him I want nothing more than to be with him,” Kevin looked away from her and started to pull away but Julie would not release him for her grip. “But I know, even then that there is no one I want to be with more than you. I have no idea what is going on between us but I love you.”

Julie pulled Kevin's arms around her and waist and looked down so that she was looking in his eyes and repeated herself. “I love you,” she emphasized before kissing him.

Julie's heart fluttered happily when she felt Kevin return her kiss and bring her closer. Julie felt at peace in that moment, something she'd hadn't felt since she'd been injected by Steph and found out Nick lived. She knew her heart was made up and nothing would change it now, no matter how strong the pull to Nick, her heart would forever belong to Kevin.

Chapter 29 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Now on to the real culprits... but who

Julie watched as the sunlight started to creep through the window. Kevin had managed to find an abandoned warehouse that they could spend the night in together. They had decided to stick to the shadows and not seek out a safe house or even a boarding house. Julie smiled as she remembered the night before. Kevin had been gentle even with the urgency she could feel he wanted to be with her. The entire time she was together she never once thought about Nick and his hands on her. If she hadn't known before, last night confirmed that whatever happened between her and Nick was nothing, Kevin was the only man she loved.

“How long have you been awake?” She heard Kevin's voice break through the silent morning.

“Not long,” She muttered as she curled closer to him. She nestled closer feeling his wrap his arm around her. She felt home with him next to her. “So what's the plan today?”

“As much as I detest saying this, we need to find Nick and regroup.” He said the words but Julie noticed he was not getting up, he was not making an attempt to actual get up from where they were laying. They managed to find some extra blankets and make a makeshift bed, it was, by no means, the worst bed she had ever slept on.

“What do you think we will do next?” She asked him wondering how she was going to handle being around both Nick and Kevin again. She would simply have to tell herself, reaffirm to herself, that her decision was Kevin.

Though Kevin mentioned finding Nick so they could regroup, neither moved to get off of the makeshift bed. Julie did not want to move away from Kevin, she wished they could just disappear, just the two of them.  Maybe they could break the rules and go into the future, find the time that Nick was fixed and get the gene removed.  They could live together in the future, no one searching for them no more leaping through time. 

She let out an audible sigh when she realized that would never happen.  It was unlikely Kevin would go along with that plan and she would not leave Kevin.  Besides, she’d met older Kevin.  He would live through the years and meet her again in twenty forty-five.

“We should get moving,” Kevin spoke after hearing her sigh.  Julie groaned to herself for making any sound.  She wanted to stay there with him longer but she knew that he would want to find out who was responsible and clear his name as quickly as possible.

“Do you have any idea where he might be?”

“Because I’m linked to him I should know?” She shot back at Kevin.  She didn’t mean to snap at him but she really wasn’t looking forward to seeing Nick again. She’d made her decision to be with Kevin, but she’d known she loved Kevin and still kissed Nick.

Kevin shrugged as he pulled his shirt back over his head. 

“Let’s look back where we left him.” Julie thought quickly.  Maybe he was still in New York during the Eighties.  It was a small chance but it was the only thing she could think of.

“Sounds as good as any place to start.” Kevin smiled at her and pulled her close.  The two wandered out onto the streets and found some food before they jumped to the last place they saw Nick.  He was no longer around the vigil near Lennon’s building so they started to wander the streets.       

Julie had to hold in several snickers as she looked at the fashion of the past years.  It was still humorous to her to see some of the clothing that the women wore that they thought was fashionable then.  Shoulder pads were not attractive, ever. 

Julie soon found they were wandering in front of the World Trade Center.  She looked up at the massive buildings and couldn’t help it when a tear trickled down her cheek.  She wished she could forewarn the people of New York about the event that would crush their world in a little more than twenty years.   Even if she did say something, no one would believe it; she could still hardly believe it had happened herself.

“I was so young, I had no idea what was going on.” Kevin spoke. Julie noted that he was also looking up at the buildings.  She forgot that even though he was older than her, if she let her life go through its natural timeline she would be older than Kevin in twenty-thirty.  She shook her head at the idea that when she graduated high school Kevin would have been starting middle school. 

“We watched the news.  Most of us took the time and sat around talking to each other.  The teachers were so engrossed in watching what was happening.  School continued, but each class was somber.” Julie was slightly embarrassed to admit that at the time it happened she hadn’t thought much about it.  It wasn’t until her parents were talking to her about it that night that she realized what exactly had happened.  Then she felt ashamed about how much she cared about whom Vanessa had been seen cheating on her boyfriend, Ian, with.

Julie shook her head to rid the memories and grabbed Kevin’s hand.  “Let’s keep looking.” Kevin nodded solemnly in agreement and the two started walking hand in hand.

“What the hell?” a voice came from a hot dog cart nearby. 

Julie swung around to look and saw Steph standing there.  A smile broke across Julie’s face as she grabbed Kevin and pulled him over to her. 

“Don’t you two have research to do? Or are you done and able to tell who the culprits are?” Steph sneered at Julie but grinned at Julie before looking at Kevin, a knowing look in her eyes.

“Just tell us where Nick is.” Kevin spoke.

“I can go get him to meet you,” Steph spoke.  “It’s about all I’m allowed to do.”

Julie lunged towards the girl and ripped her device off of her wrist.  “I haven’t had one of these in a while, I wonder if I hit the return if it will take me to him.” Julie eyed Steph and felt Kevin’s arms around her.  She was centimeters away from hitting the button when Steph finally spoke.

“Stop, I’ll take you there. Don’t strand me here.” Steph held out her hand for her device.

“Tell us first,” Julie demanded.

“Fine,” Steph gave them the coordinates and Kevin programmed them into his device.  Julie smiled at Steph as she continued to hold her device.  Kevin pushed his button and she could feel the pull.  At the last possible second she tossed the device up into the sky towards Steph. 

Kevin shook his head at her when they arrived.  “That wasn’t nice.” Kevin remarked.

Julie shrugged and looked around her.  They appeared to be in a great hall of a manor house.  “What time are we in again?”

“Welcome to sixteen thirty-two.” Nick stated as he walked around the corner.  “I see you managed to get the information from Steph. My inside man told me that you two are now suspected of being the ones in the wrong and are wanted by the project.” Julie could see the smirk on his face as he spoke.  It obviously delighted him that they were now on the run as well.

“Howie confronted us as soon as we returned; did you have anything to do with it?” Kevin questioned him. Julie could tell that Kevin was keeping his distance from the younger man.  She knew that he was making sure not to attack him again. 

Nick shook his head and listened as Julie explained exactly what Howie told them.

“His reaction is strange; it makes you wonder if he really is guilty.” Nick pondered for a second.  “I can’t believe that he is involved.”
“It is because he’s not,” another voice echoed through the hall and Julie gasped when she saw Charles join them.                

Julie stood in shock looking at the man as Kevin rushed to the older man’s side checking him to make sure that he was not harmed in any way.  Charles was batting Kevin’s hands away, practically pushing him away.

“I’m fine. Nick has treated me well and has probably saved my life.  I’ve long suspected Jessica of underhanded dealings.  I wouldn’t put it past her to get me out of the way so she could run the project her way.  She will now work to change the opinion of anyone who would stop her.  Hence convincing Howie you two are involved.” 

“So we know Howie is innocent and it is likely that Jessica is the ringleader.  That leaves two more, Justin and Tessa?” Julie was thinking out loud. 

“Those two are volunteers now?” Charles scoffed slightly.  “They were barely passing their training when I was there.”  

“It’s not them, I thought you agreed with me Julie,” Nick inserted his opinion again.

Charles looked at Nick then to Kevin and Julie.  “I’m inclined to agree with Nick.”

“But they make sense.  If Jessica promoted them she would have two very willing volunteers to help her change history.  I’ve seen the books, Tessa said she was constantly going to the Great Depression era, but she had several jumps to several different times.  Why would she lie if she wasn’t involved?”

Charles shook his head.  “I would have to see the books.”  He motioned to Kevin to follow him and the two left the room to a door and closed it behind them. 

“Already excluding us to talk about the project most likely,” Nick piped up.

Julie shrugged. “He confirmed that Jessica is involved.  One down, two to go.”  Julie rounded her head to look at Nick who was approaching her slowly.

She held out her hand to stop him.  “Why are you so adamant that it is not Justin and Tessa?” She narrowed her eyes at him. “Is one of them your inside man?”

Nick shook his head.  He stopped walking and sat down dropping his head, eyes cast down on the floor.  “No, neither.”

“Then what?” She insisted.

Nick stood and looked at Julie.  There was something in his eyes that tore at Julie’s heart.  Did he know she had confirmed her love for Kevin and they could no longer be together?   She didn’t have time to ask as Steph soon appeared cussing Julie out for what she did.

Nick grabbed a hold of Steph’s wrists and pulled her into another room, probably to discuss their secret dealings. Julie groaned when she realized she was the one everyone wanted to help, to solve their problems, but she was the one left out of everything.

Chapter 30 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Will they ever figure it out?

Julie glanced at Kevin sitting next to her.  Her eyes moving to Charles sitting at the head of the table.  Briefly her eyes flitted across the table to Nick before she looked down at the plate in front of her.  She still couldn’t get over that Charles, Nick and Steph had been eating dinner like a family since the day Charles arrived. They were even dressed for the period and since Kevin and Julie were there now Charles insisted they dress for dinner as well. 

When she saw the servants enter with the plates of food to serve them she understood, at least, why they dressed in the clothing.  It was easy enough to tell that they were all from the time period.   Julie waited until the first course was set before her and everyone else before she picked up her utensils and started to eat. The entire table was eating; there was no talking from anyone. 

Julie looked up to see Nick looking at her across the table; she looked away and shoved the fork with food on it into her mouth as fast as she could.

“Well as entertaining as it is to sit here in silence, we should discuss the current predicament,” Charles spoke from the head of the table wiping his mouth with the napkin and motioning to the servant to remove his plate.

Julie wanted to ask how they could afford the manor and the servants but Charles continued to talk. 

“We are of two minds about Justin and Tessa and I can only see one way to solve the matter and to research who else might be behind these changes.” Charles crossed his hands in front of him on the table.  

“We need the books,” Kevin piped up.  “Before the last jump away I managed to hide a few of the books that detailed where and when everyone jumped.  Charles and I agreed that I would go back and retrieve the books.”

Julie whipped her head to look at Kevin. “You can’t they think… they will…” She was feeling flustered and was unable to finish her thoughts.  She just knew that if Kevin went back something would go wrong and they would capture him, then she would never see him again.

“Sounds like a good idea to me,” Nick chimed in.

Kevin glared briefly at Nick before continuing.  “Julie I know my way around the project, I can get in and out fairly quickly.”

“What if they found it already and they are waiting for you to come back and pick it up?” Julie was close to a panic attack.  Kevin put his hands on her head, the heat from his hands calmed her some but she still felt anxious about Kevin jumping back to the project.  He leaned in and kissed her, she tried to kiss him hard enough that he would change his mind and not go but to her disappointment he pulled away and smiled.  She knew he’d go to their room, change and be gone.

Feeling eyes on her she turned to see both Nick and Steph looking at her.  Steph was glaring at her and Nick looked as if someone just took a lollipop away from him.   Julie looked away quickly, her eyes falling on Charles who had been looking in their direction too.

A smile broke out on Charles’ face forcing to Julie to return the smile.

“Steph and I have other business to attend to,” Nick’s voice was monotone as he and Steph rose from their chairs and exited the room leaving Julie alone with Charles. 

“Do they do that often?” She asked him.

“Yes.”

“And do you ever wonder what they are doing? They could be working to change something in history and you are doing nothing to stop it.”

Charles shrugged and continued to smile at Julie.  “Nick and I have talked, we have an understanding don’t worry about it.”  He winked at her and she was instantly reminded of Howie. Thinking about Howie reminded her where Kevin was headed in a few short minutes if he hadn’t left already. 

“He’ll be fine,” Charles voice rang out in the hall with a slight echo.

She nodded and silently hoped it was true. 

“Charles, can I ask you about the link between me and Nick?”

“Of course,” he answered.

“Howie was thinking the link was similar to the one that links the librarian to The Library but is more rudimentary and is going to kill me.”

Charles nodded.  “I knew he would figure it out. If he wasn’t being obtuse about the entire issue at hand he would have a cure quickly.”

“You don’t have one?” Julie asked a little shocked. She thought for sure the man who created the virus would have a cure for it before it was administered.

“Julie, I believed Howie would find the cure.  I have been devoting my time to determining how to make the link unnecessary, to give Nick back the ability to jump alone.”  He was calm, his hands folded neatly in front of him on his lap.

“You would really give him the ability to jump again knowing that he will go around giving us problems to fix, changing history. Aren’t you against that?” Julie asked a little astonished that the man behind the project would give this man back his ability to go through time and ultimately change history.

“Like I said before, Nick saved me.  I owe him.  I do, however, apologize that it was used on you.” 

Julie shrugged in response to his apology.  “I can’t blame Nick for wanting to be independent again.  I might have done the same thing if I was in the same position.”  She said the word ‘might’ but she knew that if she was unable to jump again she would have done anything to get back to Kevin, including signing someone up for a death sentence.

“I am close to fixing Nick.” Charles stated straightforward and when he offered no other information Julie spoke up.

“But you have no cure for me?” She sighed the words out.

“I knew Howie would come up with the solution, besides…” Charles looked up at Julie and stopped talking.  Julie knew there was more, that he was leaving something out but she also knew that if she pushed him too much he would simply leave and she wasn’t sure she was done getting answers from him yet.

As they both sat in silence, Julie could no longer take it anymore and asked him, “Besides what?” She narrowed her eyes slightly at the man and hoped that he would answer her question.

“Nick asked me not to until his cure was found.”

“What?” Julie shrieked out.  She knew she was letting Nick get under her skin.  She didn’t know why she thought she could trust him, that he might have feelings for her that she was crushing but this cemented for her that he was after nothing but more revenge, to play with her emotions more.

Charles held out his hands as a sign for her to listen before she got really upset.  “In all fairness I did tell him that your cure would be fairly easy to devise and generate and his would be much more difficult.”

“But he knew this was killing me, he expressed that he didn’t want me to die but what you are saying it sounded like he didn’t even care.”

“He cares Julie.  At first I thought he chose you out of malice, especially after what happened between you but as time wore on I could see that there was something else.  I don’t typically pay attention to the emotions of the people around me but since I do not have my lab to distract me I have become an avid observer.”

Julie shook her head.  “I need some air.” The revelation that Nick might have been telling the truth when he said he missed her was too much for her to handle. She needed to go outside.

“Julie,” Charles voice rang out and she turned to see what he wanted. “If it’s any consolation, it will kill him too.  The link will need to be severed for you both to live.”

Julie hadn’t thought that the virus inside of her might also be the same virus Nick had. She hadn’t thought it would kill him.  If she had found this out after first being injected she might have thought that he deserved it.  But now, even though she had committed herself to Kevin, the thought of Nick dying did not sit well with her.

She exited the manor and took a deep breath as she started to walk the grounds.  Her mind was thinking a mile a minute with everything she just found out.  Charles was sure he’d be able to cure her, but was Nick’s cure as simple as hers.  Somehow she doubted if he did not get his gene to jump through time back he might die even if the link was severed.  Maybe there was more to the link; maybe it linked them not only in traveling through time but perhaps they were linked in other ways.

Julie thought about how she felt when she was around him.  It was hard to keep away from him; she had to touch him to be near him.  Perhaps the link was to blame for that as well.  She felt as if a weight had been released from her shoulders. She didn’t have feelings for him; it was merely the link that was forcing her to be as close to him as possible.

“Julie,” a voice from behind startled her.   It wasn’t Nick, it wasn’t Kevin and it definitely wasn’t Charles. She spun around to see Brian standing behind her.   “You have to come back with me.”

“Is it Kevin?” She asked worried forgetting that Brian was still with the project, thinking that Kevin’s cousin would be impervious to the lies Jessica would spread about them. 

“You have to come back with me.”

Panic swept through Julie as her mind wondered what had happened to Kevin.  ‘Please let him be alright.’ She pleaded silently.  “Okay.” She muttered as she stepped closer to Brian. 

Chapter 31 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Brian??

Julie moved closer to Brian but pulled her arm away as he reached for her. “How was he caught?” Julie asked, there was something not right about Brian being there.

“He made a mistake. He was in the lab looking for information and he was caught.” Brian held out his hand for Julie to take.

Julie’s mind screamed at her that something was wrong. Why would Kevin be in the lab, he wouldn’t have hidden the books somewhere they would be found.  Maybe he put them there before they knew Howie would side with Jessica? The thought flew in her mind as Brian neared her.  She continued to back away knowing that this was not right.

“No,” Julie stated and turned to run.

“Not a request,” Brian shouted after her, she could tell he was only a few steps behind her.  Her footing was unsure and she did not know where to turn.  She did not want to lead Brian back to the manor where Charles would be with Nick and Steph nearby. Wouldn’t that only cement their idea that Julie and Kevin were working with the rogue agents?

Julie veered left quickly and heard stumbling behind her as Brian tried to adjust quickly in the same direction to catch her.  She continued to run at full speed but it was only a matter of minutes before Brian caught up to her and was able to grab a hold of her. 

His fingers hurt as they dug into her arm.  “There is no use running.  If you get away from me Jessica will only send others.”

Julie turned and faced him.  “How did you find us? What have you done with Kevin?” 

“I told you, he asked me to come,”

“Cut the bullshit Brian.  He doesn’t know who to trust right now, I doubt he would have talked to you.  Did they catch him?”

Brian smirked at Julie and shook his head.  “We didn’t even know he’d returned it will be an interesting tidbit to tell them when I return.” 

“Why are you doing this, to your cousin?”

Brian shrugged.

“How did you find me if you didn’t have Kevin?”  Julie had to know, did they have a new way of tracing the volunteers?

Again Brian simply shrugged.  “We are going back.” He pulled her closer and tried to adjust his device while clinging to her arm.  Julie took this opportunity and stepped on Brian’s foot and hitting the elbow of the arm that was holding her at the same time.   Before he had time to compose himself, Julie clasped her arms together and swung them both upwards to hit him across his face. 

Brian clutched his hands to his face and Julie swung her arms again, bringing them down on the back of his neck.  She saw him fall before she turned to run further away.  She managed to find a wooded area and having a brief flash to what happened last time she hid in a wooded area she took cover behind some trees.  

She watched as Brian approached, he was rubbing his nose; it was likely she broke it.  She crouched lower as she watched him approach. She hated to see blood dripping from Brian’s nose. This man had helped her when she needed it and what did she just do to thank him?  She shuddered and wondered how things were going to be between them when this was over.

“Julie, I promise you that I am not here to harm you.  Come back with me and I will make sure that you are not hurt, I will promise you that I will make sure that you are well looked after.” 

Julie could hear the compassion in his voice.  She thought back to their earlier conversation and she realized that he never mentioned believing that she was on the wrong side.  He wanted to take her back, he wanted to help her.  He had lied telling her that Kevin was there, how else would she believe him?

“How can you promise that?” She said as she came out from behind the trees, eying him cautiously.

“I already convinced Jessica to leave you in my care.  They only want to know who the rogue agent you are with, that’s it.” Brian held his hands out to show her that he wasn’t going to attack her.

“So I have to go against what I believe and turn in someone that has nothing to do with what is going on at the project.” Julie continued to eye him as he approached.

Brian nodded.

“Did they even tell you what it was me and Kevin were investigating?”

“You were accusing others of changing history to hide that you were doing it.” He said calmly.

Julie laughed and shook her head. “Of course that is what they would say.” She moved back from Brian. “Someone inside the project is changing history for money.”

She watched as Brian let the idea bounce around his head.  “They said you would say that.”

“Because it’s the truth!” Julie exclaimed.  She wondered what other lies were being told about her and Kevin by Jessica but she didn’t have time to ask now.  She turned and started to run again, stopping abruptly when she reached the edge of a small ravine.  She looked down; unable to see how far down it went. She kicked some stones from the edge to see if she could tell.  Before she could decide what the best course of action was she felt Brian collide with her from behind knocking them both into the ravine.

Julie could feel some of the rocks colliding with her as she tumbled towards the bottom.  Brian desperately trying to grab a hold of her. She knew she should let him get her, he could jump them both away, and the pain of falling would end if she let him but something in the back of her mind told her it would be better to fall to her death then let him take her back.

At first the pain she thought was from hitting rock mere seconds before but when the nausea swept through her she closed her eyes with some relief knowing that she was jumping without Brian.

She opened her eyes and saw Nick standing near her and felt hands on her as they helped her sit up. “Julie,” Kevin’s voice made her smile as she turned to face him.  “What happened?” He asked as he looked her over, if the pain she was feeling was any indication to how she looked, she knew she looked horrible.

“Brian,” She managed to mutter surprised that she was able to utter that word through clenching to fight the pain.

Kevin looked up towards Nick and Steph.  “How did they find us?”

Nick looked at Steph a silent exchange between them that Julie couldn’t decipher.  Nick eventually shrugged his shoulders and knelt next to Julie.   “You are safe.” He whispered.

She attempted to sit up, Kevin helped her finish and she looked around.  “Where are we?” Now that she was no longer falling the pain wasn’t nearly as bad but she knew that she would need someone to look her over, but who since they could no longer get Howie to help.

“Another safe house,” Steph was the one to speak up.  Julie could see Charles rushing in with a box.  He pushed Nick out of the way and opened the box pulling out all sorts of jars of ointments and cloth.

“Steph, water!” he barked at her.

Steph ran out of the room and came back moments later with a bucket that had, what Julie could only assume was, water.  When Charles dipped a cloth in and placed it on her it stung worse than water and she glared at Steph thinking the woman switched out the water for alcohol.

Charles handed the cloth to Kevin and she cringed when he started to clean some of her cuts.  She knew he was trying to be as gentle as she could but she hurt.  She felt Charles press her legs, her arms and her abdomen. 

“You have been very lucky Julie.” He sat back on his heels and looked at her.  “Nothing is broken and I cannot feel any signs of internal bleeding.”

“How can you be sure?” She managed to get the words out.

“I took a few courses in medicine for fun,” He shrugged and smiled down at her.  “I have something for the pain; it tastes horrible but will do the trick.” He held a small jar to her and she took a drink gagging when she pulled away.

“Horrible is an understatement,” She said but was already feeling the effects and the pain was subsiding.  She felt herself being lowered, something soft was now under her head and she saw Nick shirtless standing off to the side.  She was lying on his shirt.  She smiled in thanks to him and turned to look at Kevin who was looking down at her lovingly as he continued to clean her wounds.

“Why Brian?” she asked him.

Kevin shook his head. “They must have threatened his family; it is the only way I could see him betraying me.”

Julie could hear Nick speaking in hushed tones to Steph and they left the room. 

“How did he find us?” she asked again but she wasn’t sure she would be awake long enough to hear the answer, her eyes were already heavy with and it felt like she was being pulled into sleep.  She closed her eyes and let the sleep takeover, the last of the pain subsiding from whatever it was Charles gave her.

Chapter 32 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

culprits revealed?

Julie woke in a room where the only light was a candle on a nearby table.  She sat up cringing as her muscles screamed at her. She was sore but Charles had told her nothing was broken. She stood and grabbed the candle and left the room finding the others sitting around a small table pouring over books laid out in front of them. 

“Hi,” she greeted everyone. 

Everyone looked up at her and, if she was not mistaken, even Steph looked relieved that she was up and moving about.

“What are you all doing?” she asked though she supposed she could have guessed.  Kevin had gotten the books and they were researching.  Kevin confirmed as much when he spoke pulling the chair next to him out for her to sit. 

Julie carefully sat down, Kevin helping her to sit. He moved close to her and they kissed briefly.  “How are you?” he whispered so only she could hear.

“Sore, but I will live.” She grimaced as she turned and pulled a book towards her.  “Is there anything specific we are looking for?”

Charles explained to her what they would be looking for.  She opened the book unsure if she would be able to find anything but she hated to just sit there and let everyone else do the work.

“We have this under control if you are not feeling up to it,” Nick’s voice rang out in the small room.  She looked up at him and offered him a small smile of thanks before looking back down at her own book.

The room was silent as everyone looked through their books.  Commotion from Kevin caused her to look over.  He was looking at his book then looking at another then back at his.  He did this several times before he looked up.  “I think I found something,” He said causing everyone else to look his way.

“Justin and Tessa?” Julie wondered.

“No,” Kevin’s face was white as he turned towards her.

“Who then?” Nick asked, his voice sounding a little excited to finally be able to blame someone.

Kevin pointed his finger to the spot on the page he was looking at.  Julie looked where he was pointing and shook her head in disbelief.  “No, it can’t be. It has to be a set up of some kind.  Like with us, they doctored the books…”

Kevin took her hand in his.  “There would have been no time to doctor the books.”

“Maybe we are looking at it wrong,” She pulled her hand out of his and looked across at Nick pleading with him that it was wrong, though she knew there was no way he would know. He didn’t have the book in front of him.

“Slide it here,” Charles spoke.  Julie slid the books to Charles so he could look into it. She sat on the edge of her seat hoping that Kevin had looked at something wrong.  “He’s right.  Everything is pointing to AJ and Erika.”

“It could still be wrong though right?  I mean it could still be Tessa and Justin right?” She looked around at everyone, Nick was avoiding her eyes.

“Maybe,” Charles spoke but she could hear that he already felt they had found their culprits. “It is always good to investigate and be sure before acting.” He had stood and was patting Julie’s shoulder carefully before leaving the room.

The room was silent with the four remaining.  Julie stared at her hands, she just couldn’t believe that Erika and AJ would be behind this.  Hadn’t she saved AJ and this was how he was using his second chance? 

“Do the books say anything about where they will be next?” Steph spoke up. Julie looked up and noticed that Nick and Kevin were both looking at her, sympathy in their eyes.  Julie held eye contact with Nick as they sat there.

Kevin turned away from Julie and looked down at the book Charles had pushed back to the middle of the table when he left.  “It seems like they are doing something in Hawaii nineteen forty-one.”

“Pearl Harbor,” Julie whispered.  She’d seen the movie, and who didn’t know the infamous date that the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, the final straw to pull America into the Second World War

“Do they really think they can stop something as big and important as that?” Nick asked. 

Julie shook her head and looked at Steph who was getting up and heading out of the room.  “I doubt the change will be that major.  They are changing history for people who can pay them, who would be able to pay them enough to stop that event completely.  It will probably be something smaller, like a person.” She sighed unsure where she pulled this information from.  It would make sense, they would be paid to save someone from being a part of, and possibly dying, during that attack.

“Kevin, you, Nick and Julie will go.” Charles came back into the room.  She wasn’t sure why he’d left in the first place, perhaps he needed to come to terms with the betrayal too.   “Steph has been most helpful in my research into solving Nick’s problem, and I could use her assistance. I think I am close.”   He smiled to Nick and then to Julie. 

Julie moved towards Kevin and put her arms around him. She wished she could have her own device or even just jump with Kevin. She wasn’t sure what would happen if she jumped with Kevin and then Nick jumped. Would she jump with Nick and end up in a different place?  Would he still be able to jump? What would happen to her?  There were too many questions so she kissed Kevin quickly and moved over to Nick taking hold of his hand.

She caught the smug look Nick shot at Kevin before they jumped.  When they arrived, Julie smacked Nick and waited for Kevin.  Once he joined them they sneaked around looking for any way they could get clothes.  Nick and Julie were still dressed in their dinner clothes and Kevin as dressed too modern.

“Here,” Kevin called out and Julie saw that he had found an open store that the owner was very sympathetic. 

‘He probably won’t be after it too long,’ Julie thought to herself as she caught site of the paper, December 7, 1941. 

The three convened shortly after they changed their clothes.  Julie had to admit that both men looked quite nice but she forced herself only to look at Kevin and smile. “Shall we?” She held out her arm for Kevin to take and the three started to walk along the streets searching for any sign of Erika and AJ.

“Did any of you see the movie Pearl Harbor?” Nick’s voice asked somewhat silently so that random people could not hear him.

Julie had not, it was one of those movies that never really appealed to her.  Kevin also shook his head. 

“Shame,” Nick added.  “I seem to recall the affection of one woman being fought over by two men.”

Julie could feel Kevin tense as Nick said the words.  She knew he was holding himself back, that he would love to smack Nick hard across the face.  Nick’s laugh was the only sound as they continued to walk.

They approached the pier, as close as they would be able to get to the base and they stood watching.  Julie couldn’t help it, she knew she was supposed to be looking for Erika and AJ but her eyes continually flew to the sky watching for the Japanese bombers she knew were coming.

“I see AJ,” Nick said but before he could tell them where, he took off after the man.  Julie strained her eyes to see if she could see where Nick and AJ were heading.  The only she could determine was they were headed away from Pearl Harbor.

“Shit, there’s Erika,” Julie pointed out her friend who was sneaking onto the base.  She moved closer, Kevin close behind her but she realized she would not be able to make it onto the base unless she was able to sweet talk the guard at the gate which was unlikely.  She looked up at the sky again and then to the wristwatch she’d managed to borrow from the clothing store.  She couldn’t remember the exact time the attack happened but she knew it was before eight a.m.  Currently it was a just after seven.

Julie stood as close as she dare and watched Erika.  She may not be able to go in after her but if she kept her eyes open she would possibly be able to capture her when she exited.  She watched as Erika boarded the Arizona, the ship Julie knew was doomed to sink taking the crew with it.

End Notes:

I'll give you some time to relish in this revelation... heehee

Chapter 33 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Confrontation

It seemed like hours before Erika emerged from the ship but Julie knew it couldn’t have been, the attack still had not happened, in fact when she looked at her watch it was still only seven fifteen.  Julie watched as a man followed Erika off the boat, watched as they sneaked back through the gates.

“Let’s go,” Julie motioned to Kevin to follow her.  Erika said something to the man that had followed her off the ship and they went their separate ways.

“I’ll get him back where he belongs, you go after Erika.” Kevin announced.  Julie stopped in her tracks for a brief second; Kevin was going to make sure that man was on the ship when it got hit, he was going to sentence the man to death.  She found it difficult to start moving again.  Kevin was holding her shoulders and looking into her eyes.

“Julie, we have no idea what he does on that boat before it sinks.  For all we know he saves someone, perhaps he gets a bit of information to his commanding officer that they are able to pass along to the remaining fleet that helps the remaining ships.” Kevin reasoned.

“But he dies.”

“It’s likely,” Kevin sighed.  “But what ramifications will there be if he lives? Who will he save that should have died, who will he prevent from living? We can’t take that chance.”

Julie nodded and kissed him quickly.  “Good luck.” She smiled briefly at him before returning her attention to Erika.  She watched the woman walk confidently through the streets.  It was only a matter of seconds before Julie had caught up with her.

“Erika,” she whispered to the woman. 

Erika turned and looked at Julie, slightly shocked to see her but she played it off like Julie knew she would.  “Julie, what are you doing here?

Julie nodded. “I had to talk to you.”

“Me?” Erika looked back towards the pier before continuing. “What do you need with me?”

“You are my only chance of proving my innocence.”

“I don’t get what you mean?” Erika said sounding a little too innocent with her inflection.

Julie grabbed hold of Erika’s arm and held tight.  “I know you and AJ are responsible for taking payment to change history. You two are working with Jessica.  I need you to admit it to prove Kevin and I are innocent.”

Erika shook her head still playing innocent.  “We were sent here to fix something a rogue volunteer had done.”  She grabbed hold of Julie’s hand and tried to pry it off of her.   “That man was never supposed to be on the boat.

Julie shook her head.  Erika’s eyes were pleading with her, she was having a hard time not believing her friend, but why wasn’t Erika accusing her of changing history, why wasn’t Erika determined to take her back to the project.  She sighed; it was more proof that Erika knew Julie was innocent already. “You can’t fool me Erika; it makes too much sense that you are involved.  There is no one else. It’s not me, it’s not Kevin, and all the proof is pointing to you and AJ.”

“What if it is? What makes you think what you are doing is right? We are saving lives, helping people prosper and in the process we are making a comfortable living for when we decide to leave this all behind.  I don’t want to be a volunteer forever.”   Erika’s face transformed from the friend she knew when she smiled, there was something behind the smile that caused Julie to shudder.

Julie started to pull Erika towards the direction she left Kevin.  She was walking backwards; it wasn’t until she felt something crash into her head that she understood why Erika was grinning like she had been. 

Julie groaned when she came to.  She knew immediately she would not be able to rub her throbbing head when she felt the bindings around her arms and feet.  “Not again,” she mumbled remembering the last time she found herself bound.

“She’s awake,” She heard Erika call out and her eyes flew to look at her former friend.  AJ soon came into view.

Julie looked between the two then took in her surroundings, she noted Kevin standing close by his hands and feet tied also, but his mouth was covered.  His eyes pleading with her to forgive him for the situation they were in.

“What happened?” She asked.

Erika smirked. “My man is smarter than yours.” She giggled.  “AJ noticed a tail and doubled back, he caught Kevin and it wasn’t long before he realized you were around also.” She shrugged.  “Did you two think you could stop us?”

“Of course they did,” AJ said plainly.  “Kevin thinks he can do anything and anything he does is right.  I kind of can see why Nick had it out for you so badly.” 

Nick, they were still talking about him like they didn’t know he was alive, they hadn’t caught him.  She would have sighed if she hadn’t felt water on her feet.   “What?”

“Pretty smart idea if I say so myself,” Erika piped up.  “Though we aren’t close enough to Pearl Harbor, which will be bombed shortly, the sinking of this craft will just be thought of as part of the attack.  You are going down in history.” Erika laughed at her own joke that no one, even AJ seemed to find that funny.

“Babe,” he said and she shut her mouth.  “We need to leave.” He grabbed hold of Erika’s waist and pulled her along.   They stopped at Kevin and he ripped the tape over his mouth off.  “You can at least say your good-byes, I owe you that much.” 

“Erika!” Julie shouted after her but the girl did not respond.

The water was slowly inching up and was soon mid-calf to Julie. “Kevin, I’m so sorry you are here.”

“I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. I am with you.” He smiled at her though he could see the tears in his eyes.  He knew this was their end. 

Julie thought about everything, this would be the second time Kevin time they would lose each other.  Julie tried to remember all the good times they shared, she did not want to ever be without him but she wouldn’t have to worry about that.  Suddenly she was struck with a thought, she met Kevin in twenty forty-five, and he was alive.  Something about what Nick said about pushing them together and the sad look in his eyes, perhaps it was because she had died here, now.  She clung to that thought and forced a smile.

“Kevin, I know you will get out of this, I know you will live, you will go on.” The water crept up further and now Julie could hear the sounds of bombs and gunfire outside, it was a distance away but not so far that the disturbed water did not rush into their sinking vessel faster.

“How do you know?” His voice was quiet, barely audible above the water.

“I can’t tell you how I know, I just do. I know that you will live.”  The tears were flowing freely from her eyes now as she came to terms with her own death, the thought that Kevin would live kept her from completely falling apart as the water covered her chest.

“Then I know you will live too.” He looked at her, his face serious his eyes full of love. “Because I have no future if you are not in it.”

Julie could hardly see Kevin through the tears falling freely from her eyes.  She noticed he had stopped struggling to free himself and simply stood holding her gaze.  As they stood looking at each other in their final moments Julie felt a searing pain rip through her side.  What creature had Erika and AJ left in the water with them?  She tried to hide the pain from Kevin but he knew she had felt it and he smiled at her, the water reaching his mouth. She couldn’t understand his smile until the nausea swept over her and she found herself sopping wet, hands and feet bound a few feet away from Nick far away from the pier.

Coughing up water, she screamed out as Nick bent to untie her.  “Kevin!” She could no longer see through the tears in her eyes. She was numb to Nick’s attempts to comfort her.  She knew why Kevin had made that comment, her heart hurt so badly she knew she would not be able to live now that Kevin was gone.

Chapter 34 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

And she thought time travel was surreal

“Julie… Julie, what’s wrong?” Nick was holding her now as she cried into his arms.  “Why are you wet?”

Julie tried to stop crying to inform Nick, he had no idea what was going on, had no idea that Kevin was now sinking to the bottom of the ocean, dead, after she assured him that he would live.

Julie sucked in her breath and breathed out slowly.  She looked up at Nick whose face was full of concern.  “AJ and Erika, they got the drop on us and we were in a boat, a sinking boat.   You pulled me out by jumping, Kevin….” She couldn’t finish that statement because the tears were freely falling. 

“Kevin was stuck on the boat? I’m sure they’d take his device and he was likely tied up like you.” Nick was talking, Julie could tell it was mostly to himself but his voice was comforting to her.  

Nick leaned closer to her and wiped her tears.  “Julie,” He whispered.  “I don’t know what was going on with us.  There is a pull to you I can’t explain.” He leaned in and kissed her softly on the lips.   She let him kiss her but had no desire to kiss him back.   “I think I’m falling for you,” He continued.  Julie stared at him like he was crazy, Kevin just died and he was putting the moves on her?

“Nick…” she started to speak but he held up his hands to stop her.

“Let me finish.  I think I love you but I know you love Kevin and he makes you happy.  What I’m trying to say is I know a way we can save him.” Julie grinned up at him.

“How?”

“It will be breaking volunteer rules to do so.”

“I don’t care.” She stood and brushed herself off.  “Let’s do it.”

Nick looked at her again, sadness very apparent in his eyes.  She really couldn’t blame him, he confessed feelings for her and she was jumping at the chance to save Kevin, it had to be heart wrenching for him.  “You are sure?”

“Yes.” She said determined.  She wiped her eyes and wiped her nose on her sleeve.  She let Nick grab her around the waist and waited for the nausea to hit her as they jumped.   Nick let go of her waist and practically pulled her arm out of her socket as he pulled her behind some crates nearby.

“What the hell?” She asked but Nick held a finger in front of his mouth and pointed in front of him.

Julie could see her talking to Erika. It was surreal to see herself standing there talking, kind of creepy too.  She watched as AJ snuck up behind her and hit her with a piece of wood.  She rubbed the back of her head and felt the bump he had created.

“Should have left him in China.” She muttered under her breath. Nick let out a small chuckle.  They moved quietly around as AJ hoisted her limp body over his shoulder and carried her towards the boat.  They watched as AJ disappeared beneath and then struggled to drag Kevin down the stairs.  Julie’s heart skipped at a beat seeing Kevin, knowing that he was living right then.

She could hear Nick laughing under his breath as AJ cursed taking Kevin down.  “Most workout he’s probably had,” He said indicating moving Kevin.

Julie couldn’t help but smile at that thought.  Finally AJ got Kevin down the steps and Julie stood to start towards the boat but Nick grabbed her hand and pulled her back down.

“Not yet,” He hissed and continued to watch.

AJ and Erika appeared back on the deck and exited the boat.  Julie watched what direction they went, perhaps they will still be able to apprehend them after saving Kevin. Once they were out of sight Julie stood again.  Nick stood this time and they walked carefully towards the boat.  Julie went to board the boat and jumped as a bomb dropped nearby.  Her eyes flew to the sky and she saw the Japanese bombers focusing on the military ships.  She wasn’t positive, only slightly sure that they did not attack the pier.  

Nick had his hands on her back as they boarded the boat. 

“Wait,” He said.  Voices could be heard beneath them. She was talking to Kevin.  “You cannot go down there while you are down there; you cannot cross your own timeline. Even that rule I won’t break.”

Julie found it unsettling standing on the deck of a sinking boat listening to herself talk.  Finally, she heard herself scream out in pain.  They waited a few more seconds after and made their way below deck. 

Nick swam quickly over to where Kevin was tied; Julie followed and grabbed Kevin’s face pulling it up out of the water.

“Hang on Kevin,” She told him.  Nick came up and took a deep breath before going under again.  Julie saw him finally manage the knot at Kevin’s feet.  He moved up to the bindings at his hands and started over.  Kevin’s eyes darted around, she could tell he had questions but he could no longer speak as the water was over his head.  Julie floated above and took a deep breath going under so she could watch Kevin. 

Once his arms were free, Julie and Nick flanked Kevin and helped him up.  Going up through the water was getting difficult; it would not be long now until the boat was completely under.  “Hold on,” She heard Nick scream and felt nausea sweep through her.

Julie looked around amazed, she could hear the bombings continuing but they were no longer at the pier.  “How can you jump places and not even seem like we passed through time?” She asked him as she helped Kevin sit up.

“Modification from Charles.  He thought it might be useful.” He shrugged and stepped away from the duo.

Julie turned her attention to Kevin and pulled him close, kissing him repeatedly.  “I thought I lost you.” She whispered.

“Me too,” Kevin held her tight.  They would have sat like that forever if Nick had not rejoined them. 

“We should get moving if we have any hopes of catching AJ and Erika.”

“Let’s go,” Kevin stood and took hold of Julie’s hand.  They started to walk in the direction they saw Erika and AJ head in.  The two must have been confident in what they had done since they were not far watching the attack on Pearl Harbor.

They saw Julie and Kevin heading towards them and gasped in shock before taking off.   They were even more surprised to see Nick running towards them.

It was difficult to maneuver through some of the streets but they managed to keep up with the duo fairly easy. Eventually, Julie broke away from the other two and with a burst of speed she overcame Erika, taking her to the ground to stop her.

“Get off of me,” Erika screeched as she tried to claw at Julie.

“I always liked you Erika but you are a selfish bitch.  How long have you been on the take?” Julie demanded to know.

“Before you were with the project.” Erika screamed at her.  “I was glad you brought AJ back not only because I loved him but because he was my partner in this.”

“What about Jessica?” Kevin asked.  Nick must have been running after AJ still.

“She’s the one who recruited us for this special purpose.” She smirked at Kevin.

Nick came back to where they were all standing bending over to catch his breath.  “We have to go now if we want to catch AJ.” He managed to get out.

Kevin grabbed hold of Erika and pulled her up.  He ripped the device off of her wrist and attached it to his own.  “I’ll take her back to Charles, you two go after AJ.” 

Julie nodded and let go of Erika’s arm.

“Charles?” Erika questioned before she disappeared with Kevin.

“Let’s go,” Nick grabbed Julie’s hand and pulled her in the direction that AJ was still running in.  Julie collided with people rushing away from the docks, away from the attack as they ran with the commotion.  AJ would be easy to lose in the crowd of people.

“Did you know?” She asked Nick as they ran.

“Know what?”

“Did you know about AJ?” Erika did say that it was before she joined, Nick had AJ from before.

“Yes,” He shouted as he narrowly missed a small child looking for their mother.

“There he is,” Julie noticed him across the way.  AJ turned back, waved his hand and disappeared from the crowd.

“Damn it,” Nick screamed.  “He jumped.”  The two stopped running and stood amongst the throng of people who were in shock over the attack happening at the Navy base.  Nick and Julie stood trying to catch their breath.  They would have to try to get information out of Erika now, something Julie did not look forward to.

Chapter 35 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

some confessing

“How long did you know?” Julie asked Nick as they stood with Charles, Kevin and Steph trying to figure out the next step.  

Nick looked around sheepishly.  “I’ve known since a little after my break with the project.”

“And you didn’t feel the need to inform us that you already knew who was behind it?” Kevin asked.

“Would you have believed me,” He snapped at the older man.

Kevin shook his head.  Julie wouldn’t have believed him either; this was the only way to discover the truth for themselves.

“Is that why you captured him?” Julie asked.

Nick shrugged.  “Changing history if one thing.  When I approached him about joining me he told me he was already working on the same team.  He told me what he was doing and I listened.  I couldn’t believe that he’d been working under everyone’s noses like that for so long. I felt so betrayed.”

Kevin’s throaty laugh interrupted Nick and when everyone looked in his direction he shrugged. “How ironic.”

Nick sighed and continued.  “I know, I had not right to feel that way but I did.  I told him no and he warned me that if I said anything he’d turn me in.” 

“Is that why you took him hostage?” Julie asked.

“We co-existed for quite some time until I found out his side project was interfering with my attempts to change history for the good of everyone.  I decided he needed to be stopped so I captured him and held him prisoner.”

“You were so cruel, were you really going to let the Romans kill him?” Julie demanded to know.

“Yes, I would have if he wasn’t better bait for you.” Nick looked apologetically at Julie and she rolled her eyes. 

Everyone grew silent, there wasn’t much to add and nobody wanted to bring up Nick’s past with everyone in the room.  Julie could see that Kevin was holding something back.

“So what do we do now?” Julie asked everyone but was looking at Charles.

“We question Erika again.” He stated flatly and walked towards the room they were holding her in.  The rest of the group trailed after her, mostly at a loss for anything else to do.

“I tried to get information out of her when you and Nick were chasing AJ, but she hasn’t been giving anything up.” Kevin said quietly to her as they walked towards the room.  “Unless we have something to offer I’m afraid we are not going to be able to find AJ.”

Julie stopped just outside the door.  She couldn’t bring herself to enter the room and see her former friend tied up and who know what had been going on to get information out of her.   Charles, Steph and Kevin entered the room but Nick stayed behind his hand placed on Julie’s shoulder.

“She’ll be fine,” He assured her though Julie wasn’t sure how he would know. 

Julie could hear Kevin and Charles talking in the room trying to coax Erika to giving up AJ.  She knew the other woman wouldn’t give up anything.  If it was her in there and they wanted her to give up Kevin she wouldn’t speak either.  Only if she could be assured that they would be able to be together would she possibly consider giving up any information. 

Suddenly a thought hit her.  “Nick, tell me about what happened to you when you got fixed?”

Nick explained to her again how when he was shot he was taken to the hospital where they repaired the injury and while they were repairing him they had found the faulty DNA and corrected it as well. 

“Nick would you be willing to tell me what time that was?” She could see the apprehension in his eyes. “We can’t stop you now, you are here, and you are alive.  It is not likely that anyone will hold it against you for going into the future, I’m assuming Charles already knows.”

Nick nodded and shoved his hands in his pockets.  He told her the year he’d jumped to and she let out a squeal of excitement.

“That’s it. Thank you,” She smiled and kissed Nick on the cheek before finally entering the room to face Erika.

She entered the room and looked at Kevin and then at Erika.  The woman had tears in her eyes but was avoiding making eye contact with anyone in the room.  “Can I speak with her alone?” She asked the others.

Steph was already leaving the room, Charles simply looked at her sadly before leaving, but Kevin stuck around.  “Are you sure you?”

Julie nodded, her eyes focused on Erika.  She pulled up a chair and sat across from the other woman.  Her arms were bound so there was no chance of her lashing out at Julie.   “I’m fine.” She reassured Kevin and she listened for the door to close behind him after he exited.

“Erika, I know that you won’t give him up.  I get that.”

“Do you?” Julie could see the look of despise in Erika’s eyes as they fell on her.

“I would never give Kevin up.” She shrugged. 

“Really?  I’ve seen how Nick was looking at you just now, I’m sure if Kevin were gone you wouldn’t have long until another man was in your bed.”  Erika’s lips curled as she spoke.

Julie took a deep breath and ignored her comment.  “What if I told you there was a way you and AJ could be together.”

“And in prison at the Project, no thank you.” She turned her eyes away from Julie again.

“No, there is a time in the future that Nick has been too that can fix the DNA within you.  They can take your ability to jump.  We could take you there, you wouldn’t be able to jump anymore but you’d be together.  And since the Project won’t go into the future, you’d be safe.” 

“You just said Nick was there, we’d not be safe.” Erika’s voice was harsh.

“If you work with us, tell us where AJ is hiding, then you will be left alone in that time.”  Julie spoke and sat back in her chair watching Erika mull over the decision.

While Erika thought it over, Julie let her mind wander.  If she was offered the same scenario, would she accept it?  If she was promised that she would get to be with Kevin, to live with him even in the future would be all she’d want.  As long as she trusted the person offering it to her. 

“Erika, trust me.  I will make sure this happens.  I will make sure you two are left alone to live together.  You may have betrayed me and tired to kill me, but, I’ve forgiven those actions in the past and I can’t forget about the months of friendship we shared.”   Julie leaned forward and placed her hand on Erika’s knee.

“I don’t trust Nick.” Erika whispered.

“Who does?” Julie winked and smiled at Erika, a grin breaking out on her face.

“So tell me, before I answer you.  Did anything go on between you and Carter?” She winked back at Julie.  Julie could feel her cheeks burn and knew that Erika had her answer without saying anything.  “Thought so,” Erika looked smugly at her.   “How did Kevin take it?”

“Kevin doesn’t know all the details but I love Kevin and want to be with him.” Julie stated.

Erika nodded.  “I know.”  She sighed and looked at the door behind Julie.  “Tell them I agree to the terms and will let them know where AJ is likely hiding out.  Though he won’t show unless he knows I’ll be there, you’ll have to send him a message.”

Julie listened as Erika detailed how to get a message to AJ and what the message should say so that he knew it was coming from her.  Julie wrote down exactly what Erika said and hoped that it wasn’t a secret message for AJ to run or to come find her and rescue her.  

Julie emerged from the room and held out the note to Charles.  “She is willing to work with us, she’s told me where to find AJ.”

Kevin pulled her close into a tight hug.  “Congratulations.” 

Julie pulled away and looked at him.  “Before you congratulate me.” She explained to everyone what she had promised Erika.  She told them all what the cost of ensuring AJ and Erika could no longer change history.

“I’ll agree to it.” Charles spoke up.

“They need to be punished.” Kevin spoke up.

“Kevin, they will be in a time unfamiliar to them alone, stripped of their power to leave that time, I think that is punishment enough.” Charles looked at Julie with compassionate eyes.  “You did good Julie.  I hate to think of any of my volunteers doing anything wrong and this solution works best.”  Charles put his hand on Nick’s shoulder and smiled at Steph.

“So where is he?” Kevin asked and Julie knew he agreed with the idea.

“He will be meeting who he thinks is Erika in twenty sixteen. 

“Let’s go.” Nick grabbed hold of one of Julie’s hands and Kevin grabbed the other squeezing it quickly before releasing it so they could jump.

Chapter 36 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Oh no he didn't...

Nick and Julie arrived before Kevin, their hands lingering together as they waited.  It wasn’t until Nick gave her hand a squeeze that Julie felt the heat from his hand and pulled away.  

“I wasn’t making a move; you made yourself clear in Hawaii.” Nick turned away from her as Kevin appeared. 

“So where is this meeting place we are supposed to be heading to?” Kevin asked.  Julie turned to him and pulled out the paper she had written down that Erika told her.  It hadn’t taken long to get a response back from AJ after they sent the message Erika outlined to them.  He was probably relieved thinking she hadn’t been taken. 

“She said that they meet in the modern art wing of the art museum here.” Julie looked around for a clock on a nearby corner.  “We are a few hours early, it should give us plenty of time to get there and find places to wait for him.” 

They started walking around the streets of Denver in silence.  With the signs pointing out different buildings in the city it didn’t take long for them to find the museum.  “Well I guess we know which area is the modern art wing.” Nick said as they looked up at the building.

One side of the museum looked almost like a castle in design, complete with the slits for windows in the turret that loomed in front of them.  The other side of the building, linked with a covered walkway that crossed the street, was glass in appearance with sharp looking edges.  

“That is ugly,” Julie muttered to herself as they headed into line to pay for admittance.

“It’s free resident Saturday,” the attendant at the window smiled them. 

“We are visiting from out of town,” Kevin murmured as he pulled out the bills to pay for admittance.  The place was going to be packed if it was free resident day, Julie didn’t know if that would aid or hinder them in their capture of AJ.

The group entered the museum and found their way to the walkway to the modern art wing.  When they entered Julie had to grab hold of the rope that lined the wall put there for the visitors that felt off center as they walked.

“What the fuck,” Nick muttered as he almost fell walking.

“Optical illusion,” Kevin groaned as he held Julie’s free hand, she wasn’t sure if it was to help her walk or so that he could walk in a straight line.   The walls were askew in the room narrow at the base and wide at the top.  Julie was starting to feel a little ill as they walked and she let out a sigh of relief when they got out of the walkway and into the room that held the works of Impressionism.

“I am going to move further in,” Nick leaned in close to Julie to tell her.  She could feel Kevin glare at Nick before he moved away.

Julie smacked Kevin lightly.  “Stop it,” She told him.   They moved around looking at the artwork in the room.  The museum didn’t have anything on a grand scale but being located where they were she didn’t supposed they had the opportunity to acquire any major artworks. 

Kevin stayed close to Julie as they looked around the art.  They made their way into another room and passed Nick in the process.  Nick acknowledged them discreetly as they passed.    Julie shook her head at the artwork in the next room.  She could never understand modern art, it wasn’t her thing.  She liked Impressionism well enough but anything beyond that was lost on her.  She was looking at a lesser known Andy Warhol piece when Kevin spoke startling her slightly.

“We’ve been here an hour past the time they were supposed to meet up and I haven’t seen him.”

Julie sighed and hoped that Erika hadn’t given them false information.  Nick and Kevin had actually agreed to separate Erika from AJ in time if the lead did not pan out. Julie hoped that her friend had given them information they could trust, for her sake.

“Wait,” Kevin started.  “I see him.”  He took hold of Julie’s hand and started to pull her through the building to where AJ was.  They stood behind one of the pillars with art around it and listened to him talking.  He was talking to Nick.

Kevin motioned for her to stay where she was; he was going to go around to cut him off from leaving. Julie nodded and stood pretending to take in the painting in front of her.  She had no clue as to what it was supposed to be, it looked like globs of paint to her.

“Nick, I always knew you were alive.”  Julie was surprised that Nick managed to convince him to talk to him and not run.  Last time they were around each other Nick was being an ass to AJ as he slaved away in a Roman villa.

“Can’t kill me,” Nick chuckled.  “I heard you are still changing history and getting paid for it.”

“It’s a sweet deal.  Have you reconsidered and want to join in?  I’m sure we can figure out a way to get you a cut.”

“You know I can’t.” Nick replied.  “In fact, I’m not sure I see much of a point of changing history at all anymore.  I keep thinking that by trying to change history you are only causing the events to happen.”  Julie wondered if he was talking about her and Kevin, he already admitted he felt he was the reason they were together now.

“Then what’s the deal if we make some money out of it.  Shit, if we are supposed to be doing these things for history to actually happen right then we might as well get paid to do what we are supposed to be doing anyway.” 

“You are making sense to me.”  Julie couldn’t believe what Nick was saying.  Was he going to join with AJ, was she going to have to hunt both of them down after today.  She waited to her Nick mention that she and Kevin were there to take him in, to warn AJ that they were there to take him in. 

Julie watched as Nick and AJ continued to talk about changing history. Nick wanted to know the financials behind it and AJ readily told him.  Julie let out a small gasp as she saw Kevin approaching AJ from behind and before she knew it Kevin had a hold of AJ’s writs removing his device.

“Fuck!” AJ screamed. Several parents around glared at him and Julie came out from behind the art she work she was behind.

“We have Erika,” Julie mentioned.

“What did you do to her to get her to talk you bastards?” He spit, he actually spit, at Kevin.

“We didn’t have to do anything, she willingly turned you over.” Kevin said with a sneer purposely trying to make AJ think that his fiancé had turned him over to the volunteers.

“In exchange,” Julie spoke loudly, “for released in the future where the gene to jump through time will be removed.  You will be together but unable to change history any further.”

AJ was fighting and making a scene so they started to leave the museum. 

Nick moved closer to Julie as Kevin escorted AJ out telling people that he was security as they left.  “I got it all.” He smirked at her. 

She wanted to kiss those lips but caught herself and instead asked him, “What?”

He took out a tape recorder.  “Got his confession on here.  This should be enough to prove you and Kevin are innocent.”

“Thanks,” She blushed as she took the device from Nick.  “That was thoughtful.”

“Yah well…” He muttered.

It wasn’t long before the group of four was back at the safe house with Charles and Steph.  AJ was allowed to see Erika with Kevin and Steph in the room.

“Should we just take them now?” Julie asked Charles after showing him the tape Nick recorded.

“Yes,” was his simple answer.

Nick and Julie headed into the room where Erika was crying in AJ’s arms apologizing for turning him in.  He was comforting her and saying he didn’t care, she did the best thing. 

“Let’s go,” Nick said taking hold of AJ.  Julie moved to take hold of Erika. Julie wasn't sure how the other two would travel with them but she trusted that they would and waited for Nick to trigger his device so they would travel through time.

Julie was happy to see that Erika was still next to her when they arrived. She looked around in amazement and could tell that Erika was gazing in wonderment as well. Nick had told her the year but it was hard to believe how different it all looked a mere thirty years further than the furthest she had been, twenty seventy-five.

Nick had patted AJ down to ensure that he did not have another device and he'd moved on to Erika.

“You just have to touch every woman don't you Carter,” AJ scoffed.

Nick looked up at Julie and rolled his eyes but she could see the smirk he had on his face as he continued.

“Okay, you two have fun.” He said as he pulled Julie away from them.

“So they will just fix us here?” Erika asked in astonishment.

“This was the hospital that fixed me up.” Nick pointed to the large glass building next to them. “They'll fix you too.” That said he pulled out a revolver and fired two shots, one at AJ and one at Erika before triggering his device and pulling Julie back in time.

Chapter 37 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

they are gone...for good?

Kevin looked at the twosome strangely after they returned from taking AJ and Erika to the future. Julie was screaming and hitting Nick.

“You asshole!” she screeched at him. “Why did you shoot them? We have to go back.”

“No,” came his simple response.

“You shot them?” Kevin was immediately at Julie's side, his arm protectively around her. “I knew we couldn't trust you.”

Nick held up his hands defensively. “Did you think that if we just left them there and they waltzed into the hospital they would just fix these two people who looked to be in good condition? I gave the doctors a reason to fix them.”

Julie groaned when she realized his thinking made sense. “Where did you shoot them?” She asked out of morbid curiosity.

“Their legs. Don't worry, they have advanced medicine, they'll be fine.” Nick pulled out a chair and sat down watching Julie.

“They are all alone in a time they aren't familiar with, did we do the right thing?” Julie asked biting her nails. She knew all too well how scary it was to be in a time you weren't familiar with. Would you be able to survive, adapt?

Kevin wrapped his arms around Julie and pulled her close. “They have been traveling through time and blending in for quite some time, they will be fine.” He kissed the top of her head. Julie looked around the room at all the faces turned in their direction.

Julie looked at everyone and thought about them together, alone. What would they do to make sure they did not starve. “I want to somehow get them money.” She spoke.

Nick was shaking his head. “Money would hold no value then. They've done away with it in the traditional sense.” He shrugged.

“What's next?” She sighed asking everyone in the room, Kevin's arms still wrapped around her.

“We find a way into the project. We need to take care of Jessica, I need to be back there. I am almost positive I have the cure for Nick but I need my lab in order to finish the process to ensure it works. We wouldn't want Nick scattered into thousands of pieces now would we?” Charles spoke.

“We don't?” Kevin asked quietly.

Julie elbowed him in the stomach and fought to keep the grin off of her face.

“We need to infiltrate the project, get to Jessica's office without being caught.” Steph was now talking. “It might be better if Nick and I go since it will be unexpected for us to show up, once Howie and the others are alerted to our presence then Julie and Kevin could find Jessica.”

Charles took Steph's hands and held her eye contact. “You know that will put you in too much danger.” He smiled at her and smoothed her hair. “You and I will stay back until they tell us that it is safe for us to join them. I trust all three of them to get the job done.”

Steph smacked Charles' hand away and started to stalk out of the room. “When are you going to learn I can make contributions Dad!”

Julie looked up at Kevin and they both mouthed “Dad” to each other. Kevin shrugged, neither one of them knew that Charles was Steph's dad, neither one had ever mentioned it before. Julie's eyes fell on Nick who was not shocked by the sudden news.

Charles looked at the rest of the group sheepishly. “You know where her office is. I can't tell you where everyone will be, but with AJ and Erika out of the picture you really don't have as many volunteers to worry about.”

“There'll be Howie, Brian is likely out of commission according to Julie's reports, Tessa, Justin, Vanessa, Troy, William and Sophia might not be there but if they are you will have them to contend with.” Julie was surprised that Charles knew all their names, she never thought he paid that much attention to what was going on, she always thought Howie ran the daily operations and recruiting.

“So we get in, we find her and then what?” Kevin asked.

Charles shrugged. “That's not my department of expertise,” he said winking at Nick. “Steph and I will be following in precisely one hour, I have work to do in my lab and I cannot delay any further.”

Julie, Nick and Kevin nodded and prepared to jump. Julie steeled herself to the pain and nausea she was becoming all too familiar with feeling again. Julie crossed her fingers as she looked at Charles before the pain ripped through her and she was soon back in the halls of the project.

Julie wasn't sure she could tell what hallway she was walking down, she felt very disoriented. Kevin on the other hand took charge and started walking down the hall, listening for anyone coming their way. Nick walked behind her and they slowly made their way through the halls. They were eerily quiet and Julie wasn't sure if perhaps there wasn't a trap waiting for them when they reached Jessica's office.

“Here,” Kevin whispered and they moved to stand on either side of the door. Kevin carefully turned the doorknob and opened the door. When nothing happened the threesome walked into the room to find Jessica calmly sitting behind her desk, her hands folded neatly in front of her.

“I've been waiting for you to show up. Nick, I might have known you'd somehow come popping back up in our lives. So you were the thorn in my side? The one who planted the seed in Julie's brain.” Nick nodded. All three were shocked she was just sitting there seemingly waiting for them. “Well now, this would be the perfect time to jump away but I was never a match for that gene.”

“You were expecting us?” Julie asked suspiciously. Her eyes darted around looking for signs that Howie and the others would come out of hiding and take them into custody.

“I can tell when I've been defeated. AJ managed to get a message to me before you stranded them in a future time.” She threw a piece of paper in front of her. Julie picked it up and showed it to the other two, the words 'It's over' scrawled on it in AJ's distinctive handwriting.

“I should have cut my losses when I discovered Julie and Kevin were working together to discover the ones behind it. I knew Julie never let anything go and Kevin would follow her anywhere.” She smiled at the two as she spoke. Her words were without malice or sarcasm.

None of the three knew what to do. Jessica simply continued to speak. “These files here,” she motioned to a stack of files on her left. “These prove you are innocent.”

“Do they provide us with the information we will need to put back what you have changed?” Kevin asked.

“My dear man, have you really not noticed that none of these changes have never flagged the concern of our dear Librarian Brian?” The smile on her face was calm and Julie wondered what she was getting at.

“If you are implying Brian was in on it...” Kevin started.

“Oh no, no. He would never have joined us. But surely one of these changes would have come across his desk sooner or later.”

Nick groaned as if a thought came to him suddenly. “The conversation AJ and I had. I didn't think it could really be possible.”

Jessica smiled and nodded at Nick. “You figured it out.”

“What is she talking about Nick?” Julie turned to him and asked, she knew Kevin was also looking in his direction wondering the same thing.

“I went to the future, I saw you two,” he pointed to Kevin and Julie. “I knew you ended up together so I set about to change it. I tried to keep you two apart and it only pushed you together. I was the catalyst that ensured you ended up together. Tell me you didn't think about it after I mentioned it to you Julie. Would you have ended up with Kevin had I not shown up in your car that day and asked you to help me?”

“Who knows for sure Nick.”

Nick shook his head. “The changes AJ said they were making, he told me that they were supposed to happen, it's how they got away with them.”

“I think Nick understands, so with that,” Julie turned her attention back to Jessica who no longer had her hands neatly folded in front of her. In one hand she was pointing a revolver in her direction. Once Nick and Kevin saw it they wasted no time stepping in front of Julie. She could not longer see what was happening. She wanted to leave, to pull Kevin and Nick out the door with her but before she could take a step in that direction the sound of gunfire rang out in the tiny office.

Chapter 38 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

Julie takes responsibility

Julie stood over the bed in the hospital ward of the project.  She held the hand of the man who lay there hooked up to machines helping him breath and monitoring his heart.

“This is all my fault,” She whispered to the sleeping form.  She reached over and touched the man’s sleeping cheek. He looked so peaceful just lying there.   She sat in the chair next to the bed and continued to hold the man’s hands. Tears were forming in her eyes, she couldn’t help but feel responsible, if it hadn’t had been for her he’d be up and moving around. 

“Brian, I’m so sorry.”

“Julie I’m sure he doesn’t blame you,” Kevin added.  He stood on the other side of the bed holding Brian’s other hand.  He’d been lying here in a coma since Steph had the sense of mind to search out the area Julie described and look for him.  She would have had a tough climb back to the top of the small ravine but thankfully, she only had to hold tight and jump straight to the project.  Howie was close by and took Brian into the medical ward while others took Steph into custody. 

Julie demanded that Steph be set free, insisting that she’d aided them.  Howie did not agree until Charles also demanded she be set free. Howie listened to him and Steph was allowed to leave.   She jumped away shortly after and not even Nick had any idea where she might have gone.

It was like he knew Julie was thinking about him, the door to the room opened and Nick and Charles came walking in.  Her eyes fell on Nick and he seemed different to her.  He still looked at her the same way but she no longer felt the urge to go him and hold him close.

“Success!” Charles exclaimed holding onto Nick’s shoulders and shaking him.   “It was as I predicted, I was almost there but being here with all my prior research and tests I was able to make it work.” He smiled and patted Nick again before moving towards the bed.   Julie hadn’t noticed until now, but Howie had entered with the other two, Brian’s room was now getting crowded.

“Will his wife and son be able to come visit him?” Julie asked.

“Not here, unfortunately.” Howie piped up.  “We do have plans to move him to a general hospital so they can sit with him.  I think it would be best for everyone.  I can continue to be his doctor on the outside.”  Howie spoke but avoided making eye contact with either Julie or Kevin. 

The room was silent except for the machine’s that were keeping Brian sleeping peacefully.  “Does anyone know when he might wake?” Julie broke the silence to ask.

Howie and Charles looked at each other and back to Brian.  “It could be soon, it could be longer.  We are holding out hope that he will wake before we have to move him.  I’ve almost repaired the damage that was done, his arm is broken and he has several cracked ribs and…” Howie started to say something but Charles cut him off.

“The important thing is we have him home, where he belongs. Jessica should never have sent him out into the field.  He is too important for field work.”

Silence filled the room as Julie wondered what else Howie was going to say about Brian’s condition.  She felt tears filling her eyes again; it was her fault he was laying there.  

She felt a hand on her shoulder and took hold of it with her own. She looked up expecting to see Kevin standing next to her but it was Howie instead.  She wanted to drop his hand but she forgave him instantly when she saw the pain in his eyes.

“Julie,” he looked down at her, “Kevin,” he continued looking at him.  “I cannot apologize enough for what I did.  I can’t believe I fell for Jessica’s words, that I let her convince me to believe that you two would do anything against the project.”

Julie wanted to speak up, she’d forgiven him but that didn’t mean she didn’t want to give him a piece of her mind about the whole situation.  Kevin spoke up first.

“Howie, you are a trusting person. It is one of your best qualities; you see the good in everyone.  Jessica knew that she would have to get you on her side in order for others to fall to her side.  You probably never imagined that Jessica would trick you like that.”  Kevin smiled at his friend.

“But to believe her meant that I thought you were capable of doing something I knew you wouldn’t,” Howie moved away from Julie and towards Kevin. They embraced quickly and Julie knew all was forgiven between the two.

“Julie?” Howie asked looking towards her.

“Howie, I always knew you would come to your senses.” She smiled and stood so that he could embrace her as well.

“I still can’t believe that after all the trouble she went through to throw the blame on Kevin and Julie that she would just give up and take her own life like that.” Howie stated aloud.

Julie could hardly believe it either, after hearing the gunshot go off she was sick with worry that Kevin or Nick was hit.  Her first thoughts flew to checking both men.  Kevin kept her face averted from Jessica’s desk and let her check him for any signs of an entry wound.  When she didn’t find one on either men she started to wonder and pulled away from Kevin and turned to see Jessica slumped forward on her desk. The wall behind her caked with blood and brain matter.

She shuddered when she remembered that image.  She’d been distraught, if Jessica was dead how would others know they were innocent that they hadn’t set the entire thing up and killed her?  It had been her final plot Julie realized then and there.

Julie,” Nick’s voice had brought her around, her eyes moving off of the wall covered with Jessica’s brain.  

It was her plan, we look…” She started to speak but Nick held her shoulders and forced her to look at him. 

No,” He said simply and pulled something out of his pocket.  He hit a few buttons and soon Julie was listening to Jessica’s admission of guilt.  She could have kissed him at that moment and was still feeling a strong desire to do so despite Kevin standing mere inches away.  Instead she hugged him tightly before turning to Kevin and hugging him just as tightly. 

Thank you Nick for thinking of that,” Kevin stuck out his hand and waited for Nick to take it and shake it.  A huge smile spread across his face, not a bragging smile but one of genuine happiness.

Julie looked around at everyone in the room.  If Brian wasn’t in a coma it would be perfect, everyone talking and laughing, even Nick.   She still caught looks Nick would give her; his eyes carried the same look he gave her before going back to save Kevin.  Despite their connection being severed she knew that his feelings towards her had not gone away.  Though she no longer felt physically pulled to him she had to admit they shared a connection that would not easily be severed.

She stood watching everyone when a feeling of nausea swept through her. Julie shook her head unable to understand why she was suddenly feeling sick.  She looked at Howie and Charles with pleading eyes before the world around her got dark.

Chapter 39 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:

The last chapter...

“Hey Kevin, how are you holding up?” The all too familiar voice of Nick wafted into Julie’s ears.  She could feel the bed beneath her and was starting to come around but no matter how hard she tried she could not will her eyes to open.

“I just…” Kevin started but did not finish the statement.  Julie wanted him to finish, he just what?

“She’ll pull through, Charles and Howie are working double time on the cure for her, and it won’t be long.” Nick responded.  She could just imagine Kevin glaring at him, it was, after all, his fault she needed a cure from Charles in the first place.

“I’m sorry about all of this,” Nick said and it was quiet for awhile.

“Nick, about Zoe. I can never apologize enough for what happened; I never wanted her to die.”

“Kevin, don’t worry about it.  You have nothing to be sorry for really.” Nick sounded so different. Where was the angry Nick that hated them both for Zoe being dead, for his love to be taken from him?

Silence filled the room. Julie tried to open her eyes again but they would not open. She tried to move anything and nothing. ‘Oh God, I’m in a coma too’ she thought.  She lay there in silence, a million thoughts running through her mind. 

“Kevin,” Nick’s voice cut through the her thoughts.  His voice continued in a voice barely above a whisper.  “She chose you; you’ll have no more problems from me.”

Did they really feel the need to talk about her while she was just lying there?  Didn’t they know that people say people in comas can hear people talking around them?   Did her hand just tingle? Julie wiggled her fingers and smiled to herself she could move maybe she wasn’t in an coma after all maybe she just needed to will herself to move.

“I appreciate you saying that Nick.” Kevin responded.  “Thank you for saving us, for saving me.” He added.

“No problem,” Nick replied. It was at this point that the commands to her eyes to open finally paid off and her eyes shot open and then closed quickly at the bright light in the room.   She tried again and blinked them open to see Nick and Kevin both looking down at her.

“What happened?” She turned to Kevin to ask.

“Charles said that when he severed the connection the virus multiplied faster.  He hadn’t anticipated that.  It seems without the connection to Nick the virus was attaching itself to more of your cells.  You passed out.”  Kevin kissed her forehead.  “Welcome back.” He smiled.

“I’m awake, does that mean I’m…”

“Cured? Yes.” Kevin finished the sentence for her.  He pulled a chair closer and took a seat, Julie watched as Nick started to sneak out of the room. 

“Stay, Nick. Please” She called out. 

He turned, his face showing the barest of smiles on his face as he returned to her side.  She smiled at him then returned her gaze to Kevin.   “How is Brian?”

Kevin looked up at Nick and shifted in his seat.  “He woke up.”

“That’s great!” Julie smiled and moved to sit up, Nick started to move forward to help her but stopped himself and let Kevin help her the rest of the way.  She thought she’d feel dizzy as she sat up but she felt surprisingly good.  Something about the looks between Nick and Kevin told her there was something more about Brian though.

“What aren’t you telling me?” She looked at Nick, somehow knowing he would be the one to tell her.

“He can’t walk.” Nick mumbled looking away from Kevin’s harsh gaze.

Julie gasped and clutched her chest. “It’s my fault.”

“No,” Nick looked her straight on.  “It was definitely not your fault it happened.” Julie nodded in response; he was so sure of his statement.  She couldn’t help but feel guilty but something in how Nick spoke reassured her that there wasn’t anything she could have done to prevent the fall in the first place.

Julie ripped the heart monitors off of her chest and carefully removed the IV. Careful when she stood she looked at the two men.  “Help me to my room? I don’t want to be in this room, I’ve spent too much time in one of these in the past year.” 

Kevin and Nick both agreed and stood on either side of her, her arms draped across their shoulders they started walking out of the room.   “Nick, thank you and I’m sorry.” She said.

He nodded to her, smiled as they kept walking down the hall. 

Halfway back to her room Justin and Tessa rounded a corner and froze staring not at Kevin and Julie but at Nick.  

“Tessa, don’t be so freaked out.  I’ll explain how Nick lived later.” She laughed thinking her friend was scared that she saw a ghost or something.

“Julie, I don't think she's afraid because she thought I was dead.” Nick laughed. “It really is you.” He said as he stepped closer to the duo. Justin stepping in front of Tessa between her and Nick.

“But how?” Nick asked looking around Justin.

“I don't know what you are talking about.” Tessa said backing slowly away from everyone, her hand on Justin's shoulder allowed him to know she was moving and he backed away slowly with her.

“Nick?” Julie questioned the blond man.

“When I saw them in New York, when I swore it wasn't them that was behind this...”

“Because you knew it was AJ,” Julie interrupted him.

“That was only part of it. Justin here used to work for me.” Nick confessed. Justin narrowed his eyes and was slowly shaking his head at Nick.

“Your inside man?” Kevin asked.

Julie watched as the duo backing away from them started to fiddle with their devices, she knew they were going to jump if Nick and Kevin didn't stop debating and did something.

“No, he disappeared before Zoe died, and,” he turned to Tessa. “Julie, I'd like you to meet Zoe.”

Julie looked at Nick and then Tessa confused. Before anyone had time to react to Nick's information, Justin grabbed hold of Tessa, Zoe, who was standing there looking like a deer in headlights, and jumped away from the project.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10717