Snowed In by Simple Sue
Summary: Photobucket What happens when the guy you found totally annoying over the years suddenly shows up all grown up and has got you in his sights? Trouble with a capital T considering you're trapped in a cabin with him and your boyfriend.


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Kevin, Nick
Genres: Humor, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Seasons Of Love
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 17510 Read: 23728 Published: 10/20/11 Updated: 11/10/11

1. Chapter 1 by Simple Sue

2. Chapter 2 by Simple Sue

3. Chapter 3 by Simple Sue

4. Chapter 4 by Simple Sue

5. Chapter 5 by Simple Sue

6. Chapter 6 by Simple Sue

7. Chapter 7 by Simple Sue

8. Chapter 8 by Simple Sue

9. Chapter 9 by Simple Sue

10. Chapter 10 by Simple Sue

11. Chapter 11 by Simple Sue

12. Chapter 12 by Simple Sue

13. Chapter 13 by Simple Sue

14. Chapter 14 by Simple Sue

15. Chapter 15 by Simple Sue

Chapter 1 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


My friend has a birthday coming up and this is what she told me she wanted. Hope you all enjoy it as much as she does.:-)


Kevin pushed the rustic cabin door open and stepped in.”Lord this place looks like a tornado ripped right through it.”
“Then I guess it's a good thing we came up early. That way we can blast it and they can eat off the floors,”Skylar quipped as she turned back to him. He was a gentleman after all. The rest of their friends would be up in a couple of days. Hopefully the weather would hold out.
“Can't you ever just humor me?”He grumbled.
“Not if I can help it. Let's get our things then we can get to work on this dustpile.”
“You're not gonna let me even get settled?”
“What's to get settled? We've got cleaning supplies and our clothes in the car. It won't kill you to get your nails dirty.”
“You really have to work on your sales technique because even I wouldn't buy that,”Nick said; standing in the doorway.
“What are you doing here?”
“What? Am I too early?” Not realizing he was two days too early.
“Um about two days blondie,”Skylar replied but an extra pair of hands certainly wouldn't hurt. When did he start looking like a man? Goddammit! He got lean and trim, muscles in all the right places. Stop it!”But since you're here, you can get down on your hands and knees and get a little dirty.”
He could say something cute but Kevin would have his nuts for lunch.”You're the boss.”
Skylar headed for the door and looked up at him.”Excuse me.”Glaring at him to move his gorgeous ass. Really Sky! Stop it. You've got Kevin. Why would you wanna give all that man up for goofy here?
“For what?”
“Get your ass out of my way you moron.”
“Well you don't have to get so nasty about it.”And stepped aside. It was insane that the old man got that all to himself. He pulled his suitcase inside and found Kevin in the kitchen.”Been awhile since you been here big guy?” Nick remarked.
“ I don't know. What do you think?” He remarked sarcastically as the pipes rattled when he turned the faucet on to get a glass of water.
“Sorry!”
“Did you really get the dates mixed up or do you just like torturing Skylar?”
He thought for a moment then answered,” A little of both I guess.”
“Why?”
“Why do I like to razz her? Because she makes it easy.”
“Keep it under wraps okay Carter?”
“Do I have to?”
“You know what I'll do if you don't.”
He knew.”I'll behave.” For how long I'm not sure.” There was a brief silence between them before he said anything again.”Um, I'm gonna go help Skylar.”
“Nick,”Kevin said; giving him a warning look.
“I”ll watch myself.”

“Make sure you do.”
What was he on? Does he seriously think I'm going to mind my manners with her? She's such an easy target and so damned fucking hot it's off the charts. Besides, it was just flirting. No harm in that, right?
He noticed her struggling with one of the cases.”Need some help?”
She looked up.”Not from you.”
“Please Sky. I”m trying to be a gentleman here.”
She snorted. “Good one but I can manage.” She grabbed the handle with both hands and attempted to drag it up to the cabin.
“Skylar, this is not the time to be stubborn. Let me help you.”
“Why?”
“ Because it's obviously too heavy and I'm trying to be nice.” She wasn't making it very easy to keep things under control with her hands on her hips all defiant and shit.
“The day you play nice is the day hell freezes over.”
If that's the way she wanted it. Standing as close as he could with the object between them, he smirked.”I guess you'd better bundle up then cuz the storm just rolled in.”
God! Who did he think he was?! Shows up early. Probably did it just to piss her off and why did he have to be so fucking close?! His eyes met hers and why did they scream 'fuck me!' every time it happened?! He just didn't let up. Give up Sky. You know he's won this time. Not even on your mother's grave! He stepped back as though he were going to retreat but his eyes never left hers. He leaned over and lifted the goddam thing like it was nothing. Fuck him!
“Cold over there yet?”He grinned.
She groaned. It was going to be a long week.
Chapter 2 by Simple Sue
After unloading the vehicle, the trio started working on the cleanup of the place. Kevin and Nick went to work pulling the slip covers from the furniture as Skylar started working in the kitchen. She could hear the muffled arguing and reluctance on Nick's part and she laughed. Kevin still knew how to keep a tight leash on him. Now there's a thought she mused with a smirk. God girl! Seriously?! Nick?! You've got Kevin. Tall, dark and handsome. He treats you like a queen. What is it you want with Nick? Well other than to jump him and just be done? I mean really, Nick still acts like a teenager when it comes to you and you're both the same age. Used to be that's the way a guy tells you he likes you but you're grown now and his taunting is just that. Nothing but trying to get her goat and doing a fine fucking ass job at it. She really had to get a grip and find her balls so to speak or it really was going to be a miserable week. At least there'd be more of them in a couple of days and she wouldn't be the focus of his constant antics. She opened the refrigerator doors. God! These needed disinfectant before they even considered putting food in it. She heard their voices getting closer. The oven should be just about ready to be wiped down. It was the first thing she'd taken care of. Kneeling down on the newspaper set out around the bottom of it, she put her rubber gloves on and started wiping it down. She could feel eyes on her but she didn't turn because it would just provoke more ribbing. She got up and took the bucket of dirty water and dumped it down the drain. The pipes rattled but they would until they were used a few more times. She rinsed the bucket and filled it with fresh water. She needed a break. Leaning against the counter, she watched as Kevin and Nick started pulling the covers from the furniture in the living room. The kitchen opened up onto the living room so she had a full view of the two men at work only her eyes lingered on Nick. Why can't you stop looking at him?! She scolded herself.
He could feel her eyes on him. She needed to really see what she was missing out on by staying with the old man. Much as he loved Kev, this was just one thing he couldn't get past. After pulling the plastic off one of the smaller pieces of furniture, he caught her gaze and pulled his sweatshirt off ever so slowly. She needed to get a good look at the merchandise if she was going to buy any part of it. The look in her eye told him she was not disappointed with the view of him in his wifebeater. He gave her that sly grin that melted the panties off women twice her age when they were on stage and went back to work.
Kevin had noticed the entire show and was not pleased with Nick's little striptease for his woman. It was like she was enjoying the remodeled version of Nick why? Oh yeah, because at some point women did do that. But Skylar wasn't one of those was she? Not wanting to be one upped in the department of physiques, he pulled the sweater and T-shirt he was wearing beneath it over his head. Take that you little brat!”Nick, could you give me a hand with the one on the couch here?” Drawing her attention to himself.
“Sure.”It would give him one last chance to get a good dig in at Skylar without saying a word.
She looked at Kevin and knew she'd been caught but he still gave her a wink before going to work on the couch. Those broad shoulders and the way his muscles rippled with the slightest of movement. For a man his age, he still looked nothing like it. And as for Nick....shit! There she went again. Frustrated, she grabbed the bucket out of the sink and got back to work on the oven. Pigs! She should have known what that was all about. Men and their egos! Why'd you have to leave me alone with two of the largest egos around? Looking up to the ceiling hoping God would give her an answer. No such luck.


Six exhausting hours and a shower later, she laid in bed with Kevin; back turned to him. She hoped he would take the hint of what a prick he'd been trying to prove that he was just as good looking as Nick. She was with him. What the fuck more did he want? They look at young, attractive women all the time. Like she's not allowed to look?! But that was the bad part about it. It wasn't just looking anymore. Nick had grown up and thanks to his more recent flame, had improved his health. She wasn't around anymore but he was still taking good care of his body and it was hard to not take notice of all those long, lean and firm muscles flexing as he had helped Kevin. It was even more difficult to disguise the very obvious tension between them. It couldn't be played off as him giving her a hard time either. He wanted her and he was coming after her full force. It didn't matter to him that she had Kevin. Kevin was just interference until he could get his hands all over. Touching her in places she'd never dreamed of him touching her before now. Little bastard could still get to her from three rooms away. She felt Kevin's arm slip over her waist and pull her closer.
“I'm sorry about earlier baby. I let jealousy get the better of me.”
At least he knew he was wrong.”It's okay. Nick just tends to have that effect on us.”
“Why I don't know. Seems so grown up sometimes then he pulls the amateurish high school tricks out of his bag and there comes the kid again.”
Skylar could play it off all she wanted but he was definitely not a child anymore. Well not in the physical sense at least.”It's just who he is Kev.” Resting her hand over his.
“I just don't like the way he peacocks himself around you. He knows we're together. I don't know why he thinks that's going to change.”
Maybe because it was. Who was she kidding?! It was. He was taking the slow and steady approach and why Kevin had concluded that baffled her. He was obviously smart enough to give the young 'un a run for his money but he couldn't figure out that Nick was making a play for her? Unbelievable!”Maybe he just hasn't got it through that thick skull of his.”
“Then why do I get the feeling you're encouraging it?”
“Encouraging what? I don't like the boy.”
“Your eyes told me different this afternoon.”
“I was just admiring the view.”
“Not even a little part of you wanted to know more of him?”
“You're being ridiculous Kevin. I'm with you. I don't want nobody else.”
“If you say so, I just thought I felt something more there than what it was.”
“There's nothing going on. Now go to sleep.” She could play it off all she wanted but deep down she knew it was true. Nick Carter had grown up and she wanted to have a piece of that action.
Chapter 3 by Simple Sue
“Are you sure you don't want to come with me?”Kevin said the next morning as he was getting ready to leave for town. They had some food with them but they needed some refrigerated goods before the others arrived. He grabbed his keys off the counter.
“I'm sure. I'll be fine,”Skylar replied. She knew he was worried about Nick making a move on her but she did have some self control. Too bad she'd thought about flinging it out the window when Nick came out that morning in nothing but his flannel pajama pants and no shirt. They were in the middle of nowhere with a winter storm warning and he was going shirtless. Hell! Kevin had gone shirtless last night. How is it men can do that?! She'd had to get dressed before she could even get going. She'd donned sweater and jeans for the day. Nick had eventually put on some clothes but not much less revealing than before. The jeans were snug and a long sleeve t-shirt that showed off pretty much everything he'd been displaying before.
“Nick?”
“Huh?” He looked up from the television.
“You wanna come with me?”
“You're not gonna poison us are ya?”He teased.
Only if you hit on my girlfriend again.”I wouldn't do that. So?”
“I think I'll just stay here. Maybe catch up on that book I've been reading.”
“A book? What is it? A comic?” He snorted.
“It's a real big book Kev without any pictures. Hard to believe but I'm not thirteen anymore.”
Skylar choked on her coffee. Oh My God! Did he just do that to Kevin?
“I'm sorry. I was just giving you crap for all those years you tortured me.”
“It's gonna take a lot for all that.”
He retreated. The kid had got smarter as well. That's the part that scared him about Nick being alone with Skylar. She may be a strong woman but stronger have been weakened by those big blue eyes of Nick's.”Okay. I'll be back in a couple of hours then.”And closed the door.
Finally, they were alone.
“So what's on TV?”Skylar casually inquired.
“Couple of news channels and the weather right now,”Nick said. She was playing it way too safe.
“So you really brought a book up here?”
“Does everybody find it so hard to believe that I would pick up something more than a book with illustrations to back it up?” He got up from the couch and and slipped onto a barstool at the long bar that separated the kitchen from the living area.
“Well yeah,”she said as she poured herself another cup of coffee.
“I guess I do kind of deserve that.”Nice and slow. Don't want her to see it coming.
“Really?”She turned and looked at him. Like she was actually interested in what he had to say.
“Considering I have this tendency to act like a kid most the time, I don't blame anybody.” He chuckled
Oh it was so wrong for the sound of that to make her tingle.”People change I guess.”
“Yesterday you were ready to feed me to the hounds. What gives?”
“Not sure. Maybe the fact that you're acting like a grown up.”
“Oh since I'm not clowning, I'm okay?”
“Honestly Nick. Some of your jokes aren't that bad and it's kind of endearing at times.”
“Now you're jerking me around Sky.” Was she really serious?
“You'd know if I was.”Taking a sip of her coffee as she leaned on the counter. There was still a safe distance and she honestly wanted to see if Nick had seriously changed or if he was just playing her?
“Right. So tell me something Skylar?”
“What?”
“What kind of books do you read these days?”
“Why?”
“Just making conversation.”
“I guess a little bit of everything. Depends on my mood but I like the Twilight books and Harry Potter. Sometimes I like a little romance.”
“You mean Kev's not enough for you in that department?” Okay. Time to get this party started.
“I have no complaints there,”Skylar said. She could feel her temperature rising and she had no clue why. He was nowhere near her.
“Really?” He got up from the barstool and came around to where she was.”Because the way you were looking at me yesterday, I could have sworn I was a big ole piece of chocolate you were just waiting to enjoy.”
“I was just admiring the view.”Fuck! How does he do this to me?! She thought as she felt herself being trapped against the counter.
“It looked like you were taking tiny nibbles out of it; savoring the flavor.”His eyes met hers. Oh she was so his!
“I was doing nothing like that,”she stammered. Fuck! She hated that he rendered her speechless. She was supposed to hate him right?! Her body was saying otherwise. She could have him so easily and Kev would never know. But she would. Damn!
“You sure about that?”He smirked and was leaning in closer to her lips.
She nodded weakly. Oh hell! It was just a kiss right? She pulled his mouth to hers hungrily. It was too hard to keep resisting. Kevin wouldn't be home for another hour at least. There was a lot that could be done in that time.
That was easier than he thought. He didn't even have to pull out the old man card on her. Her fingers tangled in his hair as his hands roamed down her body; moving back up and curving around her breast.
She whimpered slightly as his hand moved down around her ass; her legs wrapping around his body .
Backing her against a wall, she could feel how hard he was. And how big! That's one place Kevin did not have him beat. Fuck no! She couldn't do this. Drawing out of the kiss she said,”I can't do this.”
“You were doing pretty good.”
“I was insane.”
“Then I must be out of mind cuz it felt pretty damned good to me!”Nick shot back.
“You have not fucking changed at all!”He'd let her down at this point.
“And you have?!”
“Yes! I grew up. You didn't.”
He pulled her hand to his arousal.”I know that's only physical to you but I feel more for you than you realize.”
She reached around him and pulled the door open. She had to play him for just a second or this would never work.” I know. And that's why I can't do that to you. I love Kevin.”
“You weren't thinking of him when I had my hands on your ass!”
Easy Peasy. “You need to cool off Nick.” Shoving him out the door and locking it behind him. What the hell just happened?!
Chapter 4 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:

AT mercy of library comps so it'll be a couple days b4 next update. Thanks for reading and enjoy!

She leaned against the door; catching her breath. It had to be flat out lust because she would never in a million years do this to Kevin. Kevin would kill Nick, scratch that, any man that touched her. The age difference may have made that difference. What guy didn't want a hot, younger woman but it wasn't just that. Love really knows no age but when it picks you up and sweeps you away, it's the best thing in the world. Nick was always attractive but in the last few years, especially since she'd met him. She'd been a fan of the music before but it was her work that brought she and Kevin together. With him losing his wife and needing someone there for his boy, it couldn't have been a better opportunity for her. She now provided nanny service to half of L.A. And with a partner, they were both able to take a break. Like now. But she was straying. In a way it was weird to know that you'd seen this guy go from a wiry sixteen year old boy to a confident and hot thirty two year old man. In all the time she'd actually known him, he never seemed this sure of himself. Well she didn't help matters any by looking at him like a fat kid eying a piece of chocolate cake. He was using it to his full advantage too.
She'd been ignoring his incessant beating on the door. He didn't have any shoes on so he was colder that shit.”Dammit Sky! Let me in! It's fucking freezing out here!”
“Good! You need to cool your ass off!”
“God Sky! I made a mistake but you were there too!”
“You just don't get it do you?!”
“Let me in and explain it to me so I don't get fucking frostbite!”
“No! You can rot in hell for all I care right now!”
“You don't mean that.”
“Yes I do! Kevin's going to have your ass when he finds out about this!”
“Dammit Sky! It happened. He doesn't have to know!” He knew he was playing with fire when it came to her but just from that brief moment he wanted to burn some more. He didn't care what Kevin thought this time. If he was going to die, he was going to die a happy man at least.
“I never lie to him Nick! That's why he and I work! Now leave me alone!”
“You're just gonna leave me out here to freeze my ass off?!”
“Yes! Maybe you'll think twice about messing with me after a few hours out there in the arctic!” She went and sat down in the reclining rocking chair; flipping the television to drown out the sound of Nick's voice begging her to let him. He'd either give up or eventually lose his voice. She prayed for the latter.



An hour and a half later, Kevin pulled up the drive and saw Nick shivering against the railing of the deck. This was the best laugh he'd had all year. Opening the door of the vehicle, he stopped laughing long enough to say,”So what'd you do to piss her off this time?”
“Nothing!”Nick lied. Whether she told him or not was another matter.”She's gone psycho man!”
“Hold on. I'll be right up.” Grabbing a couple of bags, he closed the car door and made his way up to the cabin.
“Shit Kev! Could you hurry just this once please? I'm freezing to death.”
“How long you been out here?”
“Almost as long as you've been gone.”His teeth chattering.
He turned the key in the lock and looked at Skylar. She didn't even acknowledge their presence. Something was up. Nick had literally pushed him out of the way and was down the hall before he'd even got in the door himself. Setting the bags on the counter, he walked into the living room and knelt down next to the chair she was in.”Wanna tell me what's going on?”
“Not really.”
“Wanna tell me why you locked our young blond friend out in the cold and snow?” His hand sliding over her arm.
She didn't know if she had the strength to tell him the truth now. She was going to earlier but when she turned her attention to him and those gorgeous green eyes of his, she just couldn't. It would kill him. Nick was right. It was just a mistake. One she'd like to make again. God! She never in a million years thought she'd let Nick get this far under her skin but it took him all of 24 hours to finally make his way there.”He was just being his usual charming self baby.”
“I know you Skylar. What'd he do?”
“It's what I did Kev.”
“I don't get it. Usually he does something to get you all worked up.”
Oh he did get me worked up alright.”It's nothing Kevin. Really. Let me get my shoes on and I'll help you get the groceries okay?”
“Okay.” But he wasn't going to let up until he found out the truth. And he would. That evening after they'd all sat and ate in silence. Nick had stayed in his room warming up the better part of the day. So far he hadn't got sick. Didn't need that this week.”Okay you two, I'm all for a little piece and quiet but you guys are carrying it to a whole new extreme. What gives?” Looking back and forth between them for an answer.
Skylar said,”My Mom always told me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I'm just putting it to use for now.”
Nick snorted.”Yeah. Right.”
“Come on you guys. I know you don't get along very well but I'd like to know why she locked your ass out in the snow this afternoon. What'd you do? Make another pass at her loverboy?” he joked.
He looked across the table at her and knew she was going to say it. Better he lose his life by his own admission than to hear it from her.” I kissed her.”
Chapter 5 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:

As promised :)

“He's kidding right?”Kevin's elbows rest on the table; arms folded over. Any other time he would have beat the man to his death for even making a pass at Skylar. Why he wasn't pissed off at Nick, he couldn't understand. Nick was just a kid. No he wasn't. He's a man just like you. He loves women. Especially women that find him resistible. He lives for the challenge. He looked to Skylar for an answer. He didn't like what he saw. For the first time in three years, she was unable to look him in the eye.
She hated what she'd done but there was no way around this. He was who he was and he would find out. Didn't matter when he did. He'd kill Nick. That much she did know. Her eyes slowly rose level with Kevin's.”I'd like to say it didn't but-”
“That's why she locked your ass out?” Kevin turned back to Nick; interrupting Skylar.
He nodded. This was the first time he couldn't read Kevin. He was cool and calm. That's when Kevin scared him the most. Just a time bomb that would blow when you least expected it. Kevin should have blown the minute he said he kissed Skylar but nothing. Like he didn't believe he would do it or something.
“That's it?”Leaning back in his chair; arms now folded across his chest. Maybe Nick was something Skylar needed to get out of her system before they got settled down. He could be reasonable when he wanted to be but Skylar was his woman. The one that had become the best part of his life since he'd lost Kristin. He really thought she'd be that in between before he found somebody but now he didn't know what he'd do without her. Would it be so terrible to let her have one night with him? “Just a kiss?”
“Um, yeah.”
“Is it going to happen again?” He had to put on some sort of facade before they both got suspicious. He wasn't very good at hiding his anger and that was something everybody knew. Not just the two of them.
“You're seriously not going to kick my ass from here to Timbuktu?”Nick looked at him in shock.
“It was just a kiss.”
“Okay. What'd you do with my boyfriend?”Skylar demanded. She knew something was up and she didn't like the way he was acting.
Taking her hand at the corner of the table.”Nothing. I'm just trying to be reasonable. It was a silly little kiss. I can deal with that.”
“But I can't deal with you being so nice about it,”she said; pushing her chair out and getting up. She started clearing the table and took a trip into the kitchen.
“You're seriously not going to kill me?” Nick said; still in utter disbelief. Something was up and he didn't like when Kev's mind went to work.
“No,”Kevin replied.
Nick exhausted a sigh of relief as Skylar entered the room to clear the remaining dishes. She glared at Kevin but didn't even venture to look at Nick because she knew he was taking a long distance journey over her. Even after everything that had gone down.
“I'll be back. I've gotta take care of this.”Kevin rose from the table and left Nick alone. “Skylar. We need to talk.”
“When you find my boyfriend we'll talk,”she replied; scraping the scraps off one of the plates before sticking it in the dishwasher.
Before she could get another one in, he stepped between her and the dishwasher.”Why do you want me to be mad? It was just a kiss. Its not like you cheated on me.”
“So kissing in your book isn't cheating?”
“I didn't mean that. I just meant you didn't sleep with the guy. What's the harm?”
“It's the fact that you didn't want to bash his skull in the minute you found out he'd done it. Like this wasn't the worst thing he's ever done to you.”
“I just don't see why it's such a big deal. Yeah I'm mad that he touched you but I'm not gonna beat him to a bloody pulp just because you want me to.”
“Used to be a time when you would fight for me.”
“Is that what this is about? That I'm not fighting for you?” He took her hand and tilted her chin to meet his eyes.”Do you honestly think I would never fight for you again?”
“After tonight, I'm not sure what to think.”
“I love you and I'd do anything in the world for you baby but Nick's suffering enough thinking that I could hurt him.”
“Well psychological warfare is better than nothing at all.”
“See. I am fighting for you. Just a little more roundabout way. Forgive me?”
“Forgive you? I thought I should be begging your ass for forgiveness right about now.”
“Then we're good?”
She answered him with a kiss. Brutally honest and lingering so Nick had a bird's eye view.
Kevin pulled away and said,” He's gone.”
“You think that was for his benefit?”
I know it was. It doesn't bother me so much that you're attracted to him, it the fact that you're trying to deny it.”
“So you want me to admit that I have the hots for your friend?!”
“Not really but I don't want you denying what you feel either.”
“Well then, why don't I just drag his ass out here and fuck him while you watch?!”She replied sarcastically.
Kevin cocked his brow like it wasn't the worst idea in the world.
Skylar stared at him disbelievingly. This was so not the man she knew and loved but if he wanted to play it that way.”Nick! Gt your ass out here now because I know you're listening.”
“So what of it?” He said as he approached.
The second he was close enough, she grabbed his open collar and pulled his mouth to hers. Her grip tightened on the material as he welcomed the invitation of her mouth connecting to his.
He was going to die but he wasn't about to question her motive. Seemed like it was over before it started though. She slid out of his arms just as quickly as she'd entered them and walked away. What the?! A door slammed before either one of them snapped out of it. Not venturing to risk his life now, he started backing out of the kitchen. Just as he turned to make a mad dash for his room.....
“Stop!” Kevin ordered.
He was going to die He just knew it.
“Turn around. I'm not going to kill you.”
Nick turned back to Kevin cautiously and saw the look on Kevin's face. He was just as confused as Nick himself was.
“It's okay. I'll see what's going on. Then I'll decide your fate.”
“Really? We're grown men and you're gonna treat me like I took your favorite shirt and hid it so you couldn't go out and party that night?”
“This isn't my favorite shirt we're talking about. This is my girlfriend you're weaseling in on.”
“I didn't do anything this time Kev. She kissed me man!”
“Well you didn't have to like it so damned much!”
“Don't you?”Kevin was practically in his face now. It was time to take a stand. The man needed to realize he wasn't a frightened little thirteen year old that didn't know any better. He knew damn well what was going on.
“She's my girlfriend!”He hated that Nick wasn't backing down. It was easier when Nick didn't know what was going on.
“That's right! She's just a girlfriend and until you put a ring on her finger, she's fair game.”
“You think I don't love her?!”
“I know you do but if she's so madly in love with you, makes you wonder why her eyes are wandering all of a sudden now doesn't it?”
Kevin groaned and walked away from Nick. Why did he have to start making sense now? He arrived at his and Skylar's room and turned the handle. She was pissed.”Sky? Baby? Come on. Let's talk about this.” No response. “Come on darlin. Let's talk about this.” Still no response. Maybe she just needed a little more time. He went back down to find Nick still standing near the breakfast bar. He had the remote control and was surfing through the channels on TV. There weren't many available at the time it seemed.
“Giving you the silent treatment too?”
“You deserved what you got Carter!”Kevin bellowed as sat down on the couch.
“Maybe but I wouldn't look forward to having anymore company up here anytime soon.”
“How's that?”
“The weather channel says we've got a good foot of snow coming in and with the roads the way they are already, nobody's getting in or out for the next couple of days.”
Kevin grumbled and raised his eyes to the ceiling. Why me?
Chapter 6 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:

Thanks for hanging in. Hope you like!


“Unbelievable! I'm stuck with a man child and one very pissed off girlfriend for God only knows how long now.”

“Like you're the best company in the world,”Nick shot back.

Kevin turned his attention from the television and glared.

“You're such an asshole when your picture perfect plans get thrown out of whack! You're worse than a woman with PMS the way your moods swing!” Slamming the door to his room in the same fashion as did Skylar. Kevin just didn't know when to quit sometimes and this whole thing with Skylar! She had his head so far up in the clouds he didn't want to come back down. She must want him to die. Why else would she have done that in front of Kevin? He grabbed his book and plopped down onto the bed. Not exactly how he pictured his evening but it would have to suffice until things calmed down. Hell, it wasn't working. He couldn't concentrate with the thought of her just grabbing him and kissing him till he couldn't see straight. It was going to be a long night.



The next morning passed by uneventfully. Skylar and the old man made up but the tension was still so thick you could cut it. Like it was his fucking fault she did it?! What man in their right mind wouldn't enjoy that kind of attention?! Seriously, Kevin needed to get a grip on reality and stop living in that little fairytale of his. He knew Kev loved Skylar but Sky's gaze wandered to his throughout the day. If they weren't snowbound, he would have got his ass out there long ago. No woman was worth this much trouble. Not even her and the way she fought him at every corner. This was no longer a fight, it was all out war and since he was stuck, it was on. She had no idea what she was up against. He knew Kevin was playing the psych out game with him and he played along with it. As for Skylar, he had a battle plan. Too bad it didn't work out quite as well as he intended. They were watching a DVD and no sooner had it ended did Kevin announce that he was going to bed.

“You coming with?” He looked to Skylar.

“I'm not tired but if you are go ahead.”

“I'm just beat. I had to sleep on the couch last night because somebody locked me out.”

“Yeah, yeah. Go ahead and I'll be there in a little while.”Giving him a nice, soft kiss.

He was sure she was doing it more for his benefit just to prove that there was nothing. He'd gone to grab his book and returned to find her sitting there with the fireplace going and one of her books.

Her eyes rose to find he'd had the same idea she did. She'd kissed him initially to prove a point to Kevin but looking at him now, she knew there was no denying the very real attraction between them. It was ridiculous to fight it but at the same time she had to think about the very major obstacle standing in the way of her doing anything about it.

“ I see we had the same idea.” She was curled up on the end of the couch.

“I guess.”

“Do you mind if I stay out here?”

“It's a free country,”she shrugged and watched as he sat down on the opposite end of the couch. God I bet he looks fucking great buck naked by the firelight. How the hell did that just happen?! She looked back down to hide the desire in her eyes.

It was too late. He'd seen the look. It was the same one the first time he'd kissed her. They could get freaky right there by the fireplace. Only if he wanted to lose his life. He stuck his head back in the book. But the tension was just too strong. He'd glance at her to find she was looking at him. They should just stop denying it and deal with the consequences later.

She looked up to find him staring at her. She could deny it all she wanted but it felt nice to be appreciated. Maybe that's why she was letting her body lead her to places she knew her mind wouldn't allow her to in a million years.

When he looked at her this time and she caught him, he didn't look away. He knew he should but the way she was looking at him, there was no way they were going to get past it. She was even the first to make a move. She set her book aside and slid down the couch.

It was impossible to concentrate and she decided to take the initiative and just deal with Kevin later. She needed to get Nick out of her system. If Kevin was the man she thought he was, he would eventually get over it.

“Can I help you?” Nick eyes moved from the page he was on to her.

“I think you know what I want.”

“Do I?”

“I don't want to go through life always wondering if I'd made a mistake by not being with you. I want to be with you.”


“What about Kevin?”

“What about him?” Her lips moving closer to his.

He didn't even mark his page and dropped his book to the floor as his lips met hers. As the intensity of their kiss increased, so did everything else. She didn't even flinch when his hand slipped up under her sweater. He unhooked her bra.

Pulling away from his mouth, she drew the sweater over head and all that gorgeous red hair spilled onto her shoulders. He knew they would eventually get caught but in the meantime he wanted to enjoy every part of her before he died. Yeah, he was still afraid of Kevin but he didn't care any more. Skylar slid her hands up under his sweatshirt and he pulled away from her kiss.” Maybe we should take this to my room?” He suggested.

“Sure,”she agreed. Her body was on fire and she needed him to extinguish the flame. She got up off him and followed him to his room and as soon as the door was closed, he had her trapped against the door. He pulled his sweatshirt off and pinned her there. She could have got away but the look in his eyes.

His hand slid lightly down her arm and down around her now naked breast. She'd given him an open invitation to do as he pleased. His thumb rolled over the already tight nub. She shivered as he molded the flesh with his hand. His eyes never leaving hers. Well not until he put his mouth to good work in that area. He dipped down and continued to drive her crazy with it.

Her fingers tangling in his long, mussed hair. Already looked like he'd been fucked that day. He would be soon. His tongue trailed down the center of her body and made a line along the waist of her jeans before undoing them. He slid them down over her hips so achingly slow. She stepped out of them once they were there but he wasn't done. He had moved on and up between her thighs. She felt his mouth languidly exploring that very intimate part of her; slipping his tongue into the drenched softness of her very being. She opened herself further to him and he took it as a sign to help himself. One hand cupped her ass and draped a leg over his shoulder as he buried hs face into her entirety. Oh shit! What that he was doing with his tongue!” Fuck Nick! Please!”

He made sure she was good and motored up before he did anything else. This wasn't all about him after all. His dick needed to get out of these jeans and fast or nothing was going to happen. Once he was sure she was good and juiced up, he stood and undid his jeans; sliding them down far enough for her to wrap those gorgeous legs around him when he fucked her senseless. He felt her hand on his cock and he knew there was no way he was getting away from her.

She sunk down to her knees and looked up.”You have a great cock Nick,” She said before taking it
in; mouth fully wrapped around him. She knew that would drive him crazy . She grasped his hips as she took all she could of him into her mouth. She felt his hands moving her hair away as she made a complete slave of him with her actions. She hadn't even finished and he pulled her up.

“I need you so fucking bad now Sky,”he said and pushed into her; almost forcing the breath out of her. “You okay?”

“Fine. Just fuck me already,”she replied breathlessly as he lifted her leg up around his hip.

He was going to take it slow then screw her till she couldn't see straight. Fuck! She felt so damn good! He almost couldn't control himself as he drove deeper and harder into her body. She held onto him as he drew the other leg up around his hip. His thrusts forcing her further up the length of the door.

Her hands gripped his shoulders as her sex gripped his dick.”OH GOD Nick! Yes!” She screamed as she surrendered to the pleasure consuming her.

He pushed into her one last time and gave in.”Oh shit Sky! That was amazing!”
“Yes it was.” Pinned against the door, her breath coming in shallow spurts. Well worth what she was sure Kevin heard.
Chapter 7 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


I just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful reviews and for all those whom are still enjoying the story. On with the show! ;-)



As they separated, she started gathering what clothes were in the room.

“So you're just gonna go lay next to him and pretend this never happened right?” He shouldn't feel hurt but as vocal as she was, he was pretty sure Kevin already knew.

“What do you want me to do?”

“Stay. He already knows for all the noise you made.”

“Well if you weren't so damned good I wouldn't have.” She slipped into her jeans and when she looked up, he was right there in front of her. Every single, solid and naked part of him begging her to play some more.

Stopping her hands from covering anymore of her delectable body, he held her gaze and said,”All I'm asking for is to let me lay you down on that big bed there and slow it down.”

“I can't.”

“When was the last time you just let yourself feel? Let your body just say it all for you.” His hand sliding into her already opened jeans.

Her eyes closed. It had been so long since she'd just gone with it. Kevin always had to plan it out. He showed affection in public sure but not any that would signal he couldn't wait to get her home and just fuck her. Making love was nice but a girl needed a good ride every now and then. He wasn't offering that but he was making lack of self control awful pretty as his finger wiggled into her. She couldn't think anymore and it did feel good.

He didn't want to push it but the words felt right.”Been awhile?”

She nodded. It was all she could besides moan but he stopped. “Why'd you stop?”

“If you really want this, I have to know that it's not just because of what I said.”

She didn't use words to respond but eased out of her jeans and back onto the bed; holding his gaze all that time. She'd already cheated on Kevin but for the life of her she still couldn't understand why Nick was taking his life into his hands one more time. She figured he was one of those that like to play with fire no matter how much you got burned.

Joining her, he lay beside her. He wanted to feel her body wrapped around him again already but he propped himself on his elbow and took her hand. She followed his lead and linked her fingers with his.
She pulled his hand to her back as she came up on her side; skin on skin. God he felt so good! And his eyes! She could just get lost in them.

“Trust me?”

“Yes.”

“Then I need you to do something for me.” Her lips were so close but he wanted her to just feel what he was doing.

“Okay.”She just wanted to kiss him. So she did but didn't exactly get the reaction she was looking for. That was weird.

“Not that I didn't like that but I need you to turn away from me.”

She didn't know what to think with that but let go or his hand and turned over.

“Remember what I said about just feeling?” He whispered in her ear.

“Yeah.”

“Just close your eyes and let yourself go.”

His body pressing against hers. She felt his hand slide down her side. She reached back around and felt his lips brush lightly over her shoulder; fingertips skimming the length of her arm.

“That's it,”He whispered as his fingers returned down the length of her arm. He got just as lost as she did with his hand wandering down over her stomach. Moving back up to the curve of her breast. She sighed contentedly as he molded the flesh and pinched her nipple. He didn't have to see her face to know the look on it. Now when his hand slid down between her legs, he didn't expect to feel her hand there with his. She turned her head and his lips met hers. Her moans sealed within it. Her hand moved from his and she clutched the sheet as her body gave in.

It was good. It was fucking great! He drew her leg back over his hip and entered her. It was a slow, steadied dance. The boy knew what speed to take in any moment it seemed. This wasn't rushed anytime at all. They were just enjoying one another's body. Few words were needed to convey the sensations coursing throughout. She knew her body and she knew she was about to blow so she turned her head back and concealed her satisfaction within his mouth. She felt the grip on her hip and she knew he was gone as well.

He knew he should have stopped them but he just couldn't help himself. Nick had been able to do something with her that he'd never done. He'd opened up a whole new level of her. It was a side he'd never been privilege to. Why now? Why not now? He sat in the corner chair unnoticed and pulled out his cock. Using his body's excitement to lubricate himself, he took matters into his hand. When she'd made the suggestion last night, he'd never dismissed the idea in his head but he also didn't realize how much it would turn him on. None whatsoever. The only reason he'd come down in the first place was because he had heard her cries. Now that she was trying to hide it, made it all the more hot. Yeah, I know, I'm supposed to be the sensible one right? They were all alone for possibly one more day and he wasn't seeing Nick as so much of a threat either. She would get him out of her system this week and it would be over. He had to believe that. Oh fuck! He groaned as the pleasure consumed him. Shit!

She heard the noise and she knew that one blindly. So it would get him off after all.” Enjoy yourself?” She looked to the corner where he was.

Nick looked over. Oh fuck! He was a dead man for sure!

Kevin's eyes rolled back into his head and he looked at the couple still very much together on the bed.”Is this out of your system?” She wasn't going to win this time. He might have got off to it once but he'd be damned if Nick was going to have her again. Then again, maybe they could both have her. There was an advantage to being tall, dark and mysterious after all.
Chapter 8 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:

As you know I am the mercy of the library for posting my stories at least so there will be an update come Tuesday. Thanks for your understanding and enjoy!


“Not really. I was kinda hoping you could join us,”she returned.

Nick didn't know what to think. It was one thing having her all to himself but sharing her? And with Kevin no less. The man could kill him. Okay so he was still scared shitless of the man but can you blame him?”Are you nuts?!”

“Not at all. I know he won't. That would mean he had to share and he's pretty selfish when it comes to me.”

“I am still in the room you know,” Kevin growled.

“I know. So?”

“Skylar come on. This is crazy!”
“ What? I think you measure up just fine to him. Maybe even teach him a little something in the process.”Not once bothering to pay attention to Kevin. She had turned to face Nick.

“Do you want him to kill me?”

She slid a finger down the middle of his chest.”He won't kill you. At least not with any witnesses around,”she teased.

“Not funny.”

“You know how hot you are when you're freaked out.” She pushed him back against the bed.

“How freaked out do you want me?” His eyes widened as Kevin slid in behind Skylar.

“That's fucking hot!” She replied as she felt Kevin's hand slide over the curve of her hip.

“I like you this way baby,”he whispered.

“Tell Nick you're not going to hurt him.” Her hand sliding over his forearm where it now rest comfortably around her waist.

“I'd never hurt anybody that could make you feel that good babe.”

“See. I told you.” Her eyes moving down to Nick's lower extremities. That thing really was a work of art.

“But I don't want this unless you two are okay with it.”

“I'm with you. Whatever you want,”Kevin whispered huskily; that rich tone that always made her shiver from top to bottom every time.

“What the hell,”Nick agreed. Who knew? The old man did have a little adventure left in him. It was a little weird but it wasn't like he hadn't not seen. And apparently he was going to get the pleasure of her mouth first. She'd already started with her hand before he'd even agreed to this threesome. She consumed him with a hunger that even he couldn't imagine. What was it about him( other that the obvious reason) that women found so fascinating about his dick? He knew he'd been blessed but there was a limit. Oh God! Her teeth raked along it's length as she did that trick with his nuts again. Holy shit! Wait! What's going on? His hooded eyes focused to what Kevin was doing. He'd positioned himself behind her.

Oh fuck! She felt Kevin's body moving inside her. She wasn't about to give up on Nick though. It was just....oh shit! There really were no words for it. His hands on her hips; gripping firmly. She did what she could to make it work for Nick but Kevin was very distracting once you got him to going. Fuck did she have him going now!

Kevin could see what she was doing to Nick. Did she ever do that to him? He was doubtful but he made damn sure she didn't forget that there was a reason she liked the feel of his body as much as Nick's. When he pulled out of her she climbed onto Nick. He watched as she sank onto his cock. She moaned and leaned over him; mouths connecting. Nick thrust up underneath her like a bullet then slowed.

He repositioned them onto their sides so she was facing him; her leg drawn up over his hip as he languidly pushed into her.

He moved back behind her but was afraid to interrupt. She looked as though she really didn't want him to be a part of it.

“Kevin?” She requested his attention breathlessly as Nick continued to move deep inside her.

“Yeah baby?”

“I want you to be a part of this.”

Nick slowed and met her gaze.”Is that a problem?”

“I've had threesomes but not like this Sky.”

“You mean you don't want to play anymore?” She pouted.

That was not fair at all. Women could just fucking bat their eyelashes and get their way. He knew she was going to.”It's not that.”

“Then what?” Kevin said; spreading her cheeks further apart. He slid a finger inside the tiny hole. Now two. “ Relax and I'll finish her off.”

“It'll be fine.”She kissed him hungrily. So much so that neither one felt the intrusion of Kevin's body pushing into her backside.

“Oh dear lord! She moved her hand back onto Kevin's that was gripping her hip. He was right! Nick just had to be the balance and she was, well she was the centerpiece. Some part of it was getting Nick off. Either that or the fact that she was coming twice as fast as she did before. Two bodies having control of her? Damn! She couldn't take it any longer.”Kev please! As her body gripped his and Nick's on both ends.


Kevin knew he was about to lose it and pulled out of her and let his seed spill on the small of her back.


As Nick and Skylar surrendered to the bliss, they could feel the bed shift. He was leaving.”Kevin?” Skylar's ironically enough, sky blue eyes met his.

“What?”

“You're leaving?”

“Yeah. My part is done. I'll see you in the morning,” he said as he left the room. He didn't want her to stay wrapped up in Nick's arms all night long but he knew she'd blame him if he didn't let her have this moment.

Nick's concerned voice caught her off guard.” You know you can leave if you want and I wouldn't be upset.”

She didn't want to. Not even the tiniest ounce of desire to leave this bed. She wanted to lay tangled up with Nick. But not just for the night. That was the part that frightened her more than anything. The fact that she didn't want to rush back into Kevin's arms scared her to death. She hoped the morning would give her a fresh outlook.”Really?”

“Really. I want you to stay but I would understand your reason for going as well.” He pulled out of her and lay flat on his back. She snuggled up on his chest and looked up into his eyes.

“I think I may need to sleep on it.”
Chapter 9 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:
The long awaited update. Enjoy!


Skylar woke up the next morning to find she was alone. She looked around and discovered that everything she thought she was dreaming, really did happen. She really did sleep with Nick. They really did get caught. Her boyfriend was really more of a freak in bed than she thought. Never in a million years did she think Kevin would have physically shared her with another man. Was she regretting the choice she made? Maybe a little. She got out of Nick's bed and started gathering her things. After getting dressed, she realized her sweater was in the living room. Shit! He would have found them anyway by that one mere piece of evidence alone. She quietly opened the door and started down the hall when she heard their voices in the kitchen. They were speaking to each other? It was more shock than disbelief. She figured they'd get back on speaking terms eventually but after last night, she didn't think it would be so soon. They stood there drinking coffee together like nothing had happened. She cheated on Kevin and for some reason, he wasn't beating Nick to a bloody pulp. Something smelled. She stood at the corner of the hall and eavesdropped.

“The look on your face was priceless. She really believed you were terrified of me,”Kevin said with a chuckle.

“That didn't take much acting old man. You put the Fear of God in me for years. Everybody knows that,”he replied and tipped his coffee mug.

“I'm sorry she locked you out but that was pretty funny.”

“Now it is but I froze my ass off out there for almost two hours while you were doing something I could have been doing with you.”

“But it wouldn't have worked if you had.”

“Yeah. So you think I should go wake her up?”

“Don't bother,”Skylar came around the corner. Unfuckingbelievable! Her own boyfriend did this to her. Made her believe she was being unfaithful. They were going down! At least Kevin was. She could use Nick to her advantage. “YOU!” Looking at Nick.”I'm not done with and You!” Directing her attention to Kevin.”Don't fucking bother to even try anything.”She grabbed Nick's hand.”Come. We're not done yet.”

“We're not?”Nick said; surprised.

“You're deciding to argue now? I want you to fuck me senseless and I want you to do it now. Got a problem with that?”

“Sky!” Kevin protested.

“It was YOUR idea.”

“Seriously?” He cocked his brow.

“You wanted a show? You're gonna get one.” She let go of Nick but took the coffee mug from his hand then pulled his mouth to hers. Granted it was just physical with him but damn it was good.

He hesitated at first but pulled her tighter against his body. Bare skin against nearly bare skin. She was wearing the bra that she didn't lose until they got to the bedroom last night. The intensity turning up and Oh God! She slid her hand inside the sweats he was wearing. Hold on! Kevin was still in the room. As much as he wanted it, she needed to stop. He pulled away.

“Don't tell me you have performance anxiety now?” Skylar remarked.

“I do when Kevin's in the room.”

She looked into the living room and noticed that he'd left.”He's gone. Let's do this.”Her hand dipping back under the material.”God you feel really good already. I can't wait for you to fuck me again.”

“What's going on Skylar?”

“Oh I get it. You're done with me now that you've had your fun.”

“God Skylar no! Fuck!”She was now stroking him him more steadily than she was before.

“Then what?” Her lips brushing lightly against his chest. She was pissed but she could get one last lay out of him before it was all said and done.

“Fuck! You win!” Fumbling for the button of her jeans. She stopped what she was doing and wiggled out of them and her tiny panties. He lifted her up off the floor and onto the counter. He didn't need any more coercion and just took her after pushing his slacks down.

“Oh Fuck Me!” Skylar screamed as Nick's frenzied thrusts had her fingernails digging into his skin. Fast or slow, the boy knew how to please.

“God you feel so good Sky!” He slowed his rushed rhythm down to a steadied pace as her legs wrapped around him. Her grip loosened and their eyes met.

Their eyes locked . Between the incredible need Nick had for her and visibly seeing it in his eyes, it set her off. “OH God Nick! That was fucking great!” Her body tightened around him.

“Fuck!” He held her tiny frame against his as they both surrendered to the desire consuming them. This was so not part of the plan.
Chapter 10 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


Two chapters today just because somebody's making me feel really, really, really, good right now. Enjoy!


“We're done. Move,”Skylar said flatly.

“Like that?” Nick replied. He was still stunned that she'd let him have her again. Wait, she just used him.

“What do you want Nick? A fucking medal?! It was good. We're done.”

Well that's one way to deflate a guy's 'ego'. “Don't have much a choice now do I?”

“You're lucky you got what you did,”she replied sharply as he pulled away. She eased off the counter and grabbed her discarded clothing. She headed upstairs and when she opened the door, came eye to eye with a very stone faced Kevin. Fuck him! He was the one that started all the madness. He rest against the headboard; arms folded.

“Having a good time?” He snapped. He knew he was at fault for her behavior but did she have to be so brazen about it? Did you forget? This is Skylar we're talking about.

She glared at him icily and was about to head into the bathroom when her cell phone went off. Looking at the number, she hit the talk key.” Hey Bri!” She smiled.” What's up?”

“Well, we've been trying to get hold of Nick and can't find him and we tried Kevin's phone and it went straight to voice mail as well so I thought I'd try your phone.”

“Good thing you did. They had their phones turned off.”

“They?”

“Yeah. He made it up just before the storm hit.”

“I see.”

“Don't worry. I haven't killed either one of them.....yet.” And tossed her phone in Kevin's general direction. She didn't care if she was rude to Brian at that point, she just needed to get out of Kevin's line of vision. She went into the bathroom and locked the door. Dropping her bra to the floor, she turned the shower on. She adjusted the temperature and stepped in. She let the water drain over her body forever before she actually did any clean. Despite how much she'd wanted everything that happened, she was feeling dirty. Well, what she'd just done with Nick anyway. It was a spur of the moment thing and as good as he made her feel physically, it repulsed her that she sunk to that level. She did a lot of things in life but using men like that was not one of them. She finally finished and turned the water off. Sliding the door open, she grabbed the towel and wrapped it around herself. She grabbed another and wiped the steam off the mirror. She laid it on the counter and took a deep breath.
This just was not happening. No way her boyfriend would just give her up like that. Granted, he was involved at one point but from Kevin it didn't make any sense. Well, the planning part did but the threesome part of it, not so much. It's like she never really knew him at all. She heard the knock on the door.

“Not that you care or anything but the rest of them are on their way up. They should be here in an hour.”

She met his information with silence. She loved him but dammit! He went too far. She heard the outer bedroom door slam and she opened the bathroom door. Good! He needed to know what it felt like to be hit with a brick wall every time there was something that needed to be dealt with. That's how he was. She usually was the one that had to make peace. Not this time. He was going to be the one that broke. That was for damned sure! She didn't care if the others were on their way up. He should have thought of that before he planned his little fantasy weekend. She felt some relief knowing Kevin wouldn't kill Nick before she got downstairs. Then again, after that little stunt she pulled, she wouldn't be surprised if he blamed Nick for it. Screw 'em! Let them kill each other. After drying her hair, she went to her suitcase and found a pair of white slacks, matching turtleneck and a soft pink angora sweater. She dressed and returned to the bathroom. She put on her makeup and finished styling her hair. She wasn't doing this for them. Everybody else would be showing up and she wasn't about to look like a slob just because the two of them were pigs. She made her way down the stairs and she saw the two men at each other's throats. Not good. She may not be on speaking terms but she wasn't about to let them kill each other.”You! Over there! “ Pointing to Kevin and directing him to the kitchen then turned to Nick.”You! Over there!” Motioning him toward the furthest side of the living room. She might have been the smallest one in the building but they listened when she talked.”Unbelievable. You're grown men acting like a couple of children! No more!”

“But Sky-” Kevin protested.

“I don't want to hear it! You caused this! I thought I knew you! Why did you do this to me?!”

“I thought I was doing something good for our relationship,”Kevin admitted meekly. How she did that to him, he'd never understand. He was supposed to be the strong one.

“Something good?! You made me believe I was cheating on you.”

“Uh, that was my idea actually,”Nick spoke up; almost afraid of the repercussions if he did.

“I don't know why that doesn't surprise me.”

“Don't you play the innocent victim in all this! You knew what you were doing last night when you decided to take me up on my offer,”Nick accused.

“I didn't know that I was being set up!”

“Would you have done it if we asked you?”Kevin turned her attention back to him.

“That was a fantasy Kevin! Not a lot of women dream about being sandwiched between two men! We have sex on a schedule for God's sake! Most people screw when the mood strikes them!”

“Is that why Nick got you off? Because it was impulsive?!”

Brian had just barely stepped in when Kevin's question flew out there. What the heck was going on?

“Yes! It felt fucking great! There! Are you happy now?!”

Brian looked to Nick for an answer and got nothing. Okay.”What the hell is going on?” Brian interfered.

They all three turned to him and noticed the stunned expressions on the faces of the others following him.
Chapter 11 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


Yes it's Saturday again which means....no update til tuesday. Bummer I know but I am sadly at the mercy of the library comps and will be for awhile. So thanks for hangin in with me, thanks for all the lovely reviews, and enjoy today's installment :)


P.S. Thanks to my girl Skylar for all the brainstorming sessions you share with me. You Rock!


“Come on Brian. What the hell is the hold up? I'm freezing my ass off back here,”AJ said as he and Rochelle brought up the rear of the remaining guests.

“That's what I'd like to know,”he answered without turning around.

“Let's figure it out where it's nice and warm okay? I'm freezing my ass off too and I actually have one,”Howie said; taking aim at AJ's lack thereof. Leigh and Rochelle giggled.

AJ glared at him.”Sleep with one eye open Dorough.”

“Lighten up Age. We're all cold and until Brian moves his ass we aren't going anywhere.”Noting their departure from the door frame, “Finally!”

“About damn time!”AJ grumbled.

“Now what's going on?”Brian demanded.

Skylar looked at the two men one more time then to Brian.”Why don't you ask these assholes? I'm done.” And walked away.

“What'd you do Nick?”

“Don't look at me man! It was his idea,”Nick answered defensively.

“Now why don't I buy that?”

“It's the truth,"Kevin replied solemnly.

“Um girls, why don't we go find our rooms and give the guys a minute,”Leighanne suggested.

They agreed and once the girls were gone, AJ made an off the cuff suggestion not realizing it was true.”What'd you do Nick? Fuck her?”

When he didn't respond, Brian looked at him disbelievingly.”How could you Nick?”

“Because I wanted her and HE was involved too.”

“Whoa ! Whoa! Whoa! This is only shit I do you two but seriously? You both did her at the same time?”AJ didn't know whether to be horrified or proud that Nick had learned something from him after all those years of being on the road. He'd sown his oats and his woman knew it .Nick and Kevin. Five years ago, they still would have torn each other limb from limb for a woman's attention. Just the attention. Not necessarily bedding her. Kevin was still married at that time but it was the thrill of knowing that he still could have any woman regardless.

“Uh yeah.”

“Wow Kev. You speechless with us? This is a first,”AJ teased.

“ I don't believe this. This is a woman you're talking about you guys. One we know. Don't you love her anymore Kev?”Brian said. He was still in shock but knew it was bound to happen eventually. He knew his cousin loved her but there was that question that nobody was asking him.”Don't you love her anymore?”

Good question. He still loved her but wasn't sure he was in love with her after all this time and he'd seen the attraction between the two of them. It wasn't just a physical thing. They could deny it all they wanted but he saw something he didn't to see. When he watched Nick touch her and talk to her in that bed, there was no way he could deny there was something more. He knew he couldn't live without her but at the same time he also knew he couldn't hold her when there was nothing left to hold.

“It's a simple question Cuz. Do you or don't you love her?”


“Not the way I should.”




Leighanne knocked on the door and knocked softly on the cracked door before entering.”Can I come in?”

“Sure,”Skylar said as she frantically rushed to get her suitcase packed. She just couldn't stay any longer. She loved Kevin but even she was seeing the signs of them not being in love like they used to be. He may have never kissed her in public but when they were alone...well, he knew how to treat her. It wasn't enough though anymore. She wanted someone that would come home and drag her away from the stove long enough for dinner to burn as they made mad, crazy love on the table where they were supposed to eat. Nick seemed to be that impulsive that she needed. Fuck she was confused.

Leighanne sat down o the edge of bed and said,”Wanna talk about it?”

“Not really.”

“I think you do.”

“Leighanne I know you're only trying to help but I really don't know what to say. I'm really confused and the further away I get from this god forsaken place, the better off I'll be.”

“So you think running away is a better option than staying and facing your fear?”

“What are you talking about?” Skylar stopped in her tracks.

“I saw the look in Nick's eyes as you were walking away. He's in love with you and you're afraid to let Kevin go because you don't want to hurt him right?”

“I don't know what I want Leigh! I just know I'm confused and I need to get out of here. FAST!”

“I understand. Believe me. It's scary when you know it's right.”

“But I don't know that Leigh.” She sat down beside her.

“You do know or you wouldn't be this torn up over what to do.”

“Knock, knock. Can I come in?” Leigh tapped lightly on the door frame.

“Why not?” Skylar motioned her to join them.

“So have we hit the part where Nick's in love with you yet?”

“What? Am I the only one that doesn't know?”

“Really Sky? Why do you think he does all those things to annoy you?”

“Because he likes to piss me off.”

“I think you know the answer,”Leighanne said.

“Do I?”

“Think about it. Remember the little boy in grade school that always used to do something like pull your ponytail or flip your pretty little dress up so everybody would see your panties?”

Skylar nodded; not really sure where they were going with this.

“The reason he's been doing all that annoying stuff is the same reason that little boy was doing it then. To get your attention. And it worked. Only you thought it was annoying.”

“Still do.”

“But he's got more than just your attention now doesn't he?”

“What am I gonna do?” Letting out a frustrated sigh as her head dropped against Leighanne's shoulder.

Her arm went around her friend to comfort.” You know what you have to do.”

“I don' t want to hurt him though.”

“I know but somebody's going to get hurt no matter what.”


And with that advice in mind, after everyone had gone to bed , she quietly grabbed her things, took the keys to the rental and drove off into the night. That way nobody had any more say in her affairs of the heart.
Chapter 12 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


It's Tuesday! Yay! I have two chapters for you today :-)


Kevin rolled over the next morning and found he was alone. He'd felt the bed shift in the middle of the night and thought nothing of it. Probably just needed a drink or something. Maybe she was already up that morning. Hard to tell. He went about getting dressed for the day not thinking anything of her lack of presence but it wasn't until he got down to the kitchen that he realized something wasn't right. “You guys seen Skylar?”

Leighanne looked up from the cup of coffee she'd been staring into.”We thought maybe you knew but then we saw your guys' rental gone and...” she shrugged.

Kevin moved to the window. Sliding his fingers through his hair, he balled his hand into a fist and almost slammed it against the wall. “Dammit! I should have known she'd do something like this.”

“You couldn't have known anything Kevin. She's confused. It's a wonder she didn't just grab the keys and take off yesterday afternoon between you and Nick.”

“What's going on?” Nick said as he arrived at their conversation.

Leighanne returned to staring into her coffee cup and Brian still hadn't come to terms with the fact that Kevin wasn't as 'in love' with Skylar as he should be.”Skylar took off,”Brian answered.

“What'd you to do her man?”

“Nothing other than what I already did. I'm sorry Nick,” Kevin said apologetically.

“We need to find her.”

“I know but where do you suggest we start looking? She's probably already half way home.”

“I just saw the weather report Kevin. I highly doubt she's going anywhere with the way things are looking,”Leighanne interrupted the two.

“Airport hotels is where we start then,”Nick said.

“Let me get my shoes and we'll head out.”



Leighanne had gone back and forth about doing it but forty five minutes later, she dialed Skylar's number. She may have not answered either one of them but she needed to know the girl was okay. Three rings later, she heard Skylar's voice.

“I know you're calling for them Leigh.”

“They're out looking for you girl. Where are you?”

She didn't want to tell her but figuring it was a safe bet she wouldn't call and tell them, she said,”I was going to fly out but they said the runways were impassable so I'm stuck at a hotel until they are.”

“Well at least you're safe.”

“I'm going to be fine. I just needed to put some space between myself and them. It was getting to be a macho fest between those two and I just couldn't take it anymore.”

“Well you'll figure it out when the time is right.”

“Leigh, thank you for being so optimistic because I can't figure my head from my ass right now.”

“You know I'm here if you ever need to talk Sky.”

“I know and I appreciate it. Hey, can you hold on for a second?” Skylar went to open the door. “Uh Leigh, can I call you back?”

“Everything okay?”

“Yeah. I've been found by the dynamic duo minus the blond. I'll talk to you later.”

“Can I come in?”Kevin said.

“I guess but where's your partner in crime?”

“I had him wait down in the diner until you and I had a talk.”

Stepping aside, she let him in and closed the door.

He sat down on the bed and looked at her. She leaned against the wall; arms crossed. He couldn't blame her for being angry but it wasn't going to get any easier by waiting any longer.” I don't know where to begin Sky. I really screwed up this time.”

“Yes you did,”she agreed.

“What do you want Sky? I know I made a mistake.”

“A huge one! For God's sake Kevin, you let me believe I cheated on you! How the hell am I supposed to feel?!”

“I know and I'm sorry but I did have my reasons.”

“What? You actually let the brainless wonder talk you into it? That's real brilliant.”

“I can't do this anymore Sky. I can't be what you want.”
“What are you talking about Kevin?”

“When I saw you with him the other night, I knew I couldn't give you what you want. It's something I've been feeling for awhile now Sky. I love you but I'm not in love with you anymore.”

“No. No! You are not doing this to me! Not now!”

“I just want you to be happy baby and I think you could be with Nick.”

How the fuck did he know how she'd be happy. Until a few days ago, she thought Kevin was it. No other man could ever be the center of her world then in strolls Nick and turns everything upside down. And up until today, she was still in love with Kevin. Still was. Why'd he have to pull this shit now? There was a reason she asked him if they could go up early. She just never got the chance to tell him in all the confusion.”How do you know I'll be happy with anybody else but you?! I've always been happy with you. Hell I was planning to spend the rest of my life with you and our child but now it looks like you went and screwed that up too!”

The color drained from his face.”Did you just say what I think you did?”

“That I'm pregnant?! You fucking bet I did!”
Chapter 13 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


Chapter number two for today. Enjoy!

“You're sure about this?” His eyes rose from where they landed on the floor.

“I confirmed it with my doctor before we left so yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm with child,”Skylar snipped. The asshole. He had to go and do this now?! Granted, she was confused but still. Now?! Incredible!

“So how far along are you?”

“Why do you care now?”

“I'm not that heartless Skylar. We just don't fit anymore but I won't not take care of my child.”

“Why don't I believe that?” She was still keeping a good distance between them.

“You don't have to believe it. I think you know the truth. So?” His brow rose questionly as to answer for how far along she was.

“Two and a half months today.”

“Why didn't you tell me before we left?”

“Maybe because I wanted to have a couple of romantic days with my guy before the rest of them came up and then we were going to tell them together. But thanks to Nick and his hair brained scheme, none of that happened.”

“Now hold on just a minute! He wasn't the only one to blame there Skylar. It was mostly my idea. He only had a part in it.”

“Well thank you so much for clearing that up! Do you really think I'm any less pissed off at either one of you?!”

“I think you're angry because you don't know what you're feeling. I'm trying to help here.”

“Get out!”

“Sky. Please.”

“No. I'll make sure my things are gone by the time you get home. It'll be easier that way.”

“Aren't you even going to give this a chance?”

“Give Nick a chance? Why should I?”

“Because he's in love with you.”

“Yeah right.”

“He is. I think maybe you should talk to him.”

“Why are you still here?!” She glared at him.

“God you are so damned stubborn!”

“I learned from the best!” She yelled at the closed door.

“I really am sorry.” The door closing behind him. He arrived in the diner a few minutes later and sat down across from Nick in the booth. How was he going to tell Nick she was pregnant? Maybe it wasn't his place to say anything.

“So what happened.?”

“I don't know but she's not happy.”

“I have to talk to her.”

“I don't think that's a good idea.”

“Why? Because she's pissed off at you?!”

“No. Because she's pissed off at you.”

“She's always pissed off at me. I'm good at getting around it. What room is she in?”

“Nick. Please. Just let it go.” The waitress came by and he ordered a cup of coffee.

“Kevin. You owe me this.”

He sighed and reluctantly gave him the room number. He watched Nick leave and the waitress returned with his coffee. He smiled graciously and doctored his coffee up with some cream and sugar. He lifted the piping hot cup to his lips and prayed to God Nick did better than he did. He had to let her go. It was best for both of them.



Nick knocked and waited patiently for her to answer. The old man might have screwed up but he'd be damned if he was going to let her leave here without a fight.

Skylar looked through the peephole and saw him. She should have known he send reinforcements. She exhausted a frustrated breath and open the door. “Let's get this overwith.”

“Do you think I'm here because of Kevin?”

“Why else would you be here?” She sat down on the bed.

Kneeling down next to her, he looked into her eyes. She'd been crying. Kevin did it. He must have broke it off with her.”To see you. I was the one that wanted to come find you. It wasn't his idea.”

“Why?”

Taking her hands in his, he said,”Because I'm in love with you Sky. I have been for a long time. I don't expect you to return my feelings right away. In fact I'm hoping you take some time to get to know me before you make that decision. I know I want to know more of you than what we found in the bedroom.”

“Why are you being so nice to me?”

“Do you want me to be my usual ass because I can turn him on right now if you want.”

“Would make things so much easier,”She quipped. Kevin obviously hadn't told him about the baby and she wasn't used to this side of Nick. He did have feelings. Ugh! This should not be happening right now. He smiled that charming smile that just melted hearts the world round and she was toast. She knew it was too soon to be feeling for another man but was it really? Maybe she'd been feeling for him without even knowing it.

“I'm not sure what I'm asking right now. I just think it wouldn't hurt to give things a chance before we decide.”

“I don't know Nick. I'm really confused right now. Are you willing to give me that time?”

“I understand you need time. Take it. I've waited this long. What's another three years?” He joked.

“I'm supposed to be mad at you.”

“And I wouldn't blame you one bit. I know I went about things the wrong way. I'm not denying it. I just want to know that you'll think about forgiving me.”

Ugh! Despite all the aggravation over the years, she could never stay mad for very long. Maybe there was a reason for that too. She should be oblivious to his charms but she fell prey just like every other woman in the world that was head over heels for him. But she wasn't head over heels for him. Not yet anyway. Why did she just want to kiss him? Because she needed to feel loved. Nick had pushed the hair back off of her face.” I really want to kiss you and don't have the slightest idea why.”

“Me neither but feel free to use me any way you see fit.”

And like that , her mouth was on his;the hunger being fed. She eased back onto the bed and he came down over her; their lips losing contact for only seconds before the desire consumed them again. He felt good. God did he feel good! His tongue slid between her lips; tasting and taunting her all at the same time. Maybe it was lust but it was what she needed at that very moment. She felt Nick's hand slide under her blouse and she pulled out of their kiss. Fuck! She had to gain a conscience now.”Nick. I can't do this. As good as it feels, I just can't. Not now.”


He rolled off to the side. “It's okay.”

“It is?”

“Yeah.”Taking her hand and pulling it to his lips.”We've got plenty of time for this.”

“That's just it. I don't know if I'll ever be ready again.”

“That's just the chance I have to take. That's if you're willing to give it to me.”
Chapter 14 by Simple Sue
Kevin was about to turn the light off when something caught his eye on the dresser by the bedroom door. He held up the the thin gold chain and looked at the hearth shaped pendant holding her birthstone of topaz. It was her favorite necklace. It was the one he gave her on the night he told her he was in love with her for the first time. He sighed. He was still in love with her. He had tried to deny it but he was. He screwed up royally.

“Daddy?” Mason's little voice came from down below.

“Yeah buddy?” He said and looked at his son.

“When is Skylar coming home?”

“Sky's not coming home buddy. Daddy messed up.” How do you explain something like this to your child? You can't.

“But you still love her don't you?”

“Of course I do but I don't think she loves me anymore.”

“She loved you lots Daddy. I bet she still does.”

Kid was too smart for his own good sometimes. Maybe he should go see her. No. She hates you now. She thinks you abandoned her and the baby. He wouldn't want to talk to himself. Maybe Nick could tell him how she was at least.”Why don't we go downstairs and you can pick out a DVD while Daddy makes a quick phone call. Then we'll watch it before you go to bed.”

Okay Daddy but just so you know, she will come back.”

“And how do you know that?”

“Cuz she loves you silly.”

He smiled and dropped the necklace back on the dresser. Sometimes you just can't argue a child's logic but only if it were that simple. Then again, maybe all she had needed was a little time and space.”Okay. Let's get started kiddo.” While Mason searched through the massive selection., Kevin dialed Nick's number.”Hey Nick! You got a second?”

“That's about all I've got. What's up?”

I was just wondering how Skylar's doing.”

“Not really sure. I'm seeing her myself for the first time in two weeks myself.”

“Oh.”

What's going on Kev? You let her go.”

“I know but I do still care about her. I just want to make sure she was feeling okay.”

“Why wouldn't she? “ Finding the set of keys he'd being searching for frantically.

“She hasn't told you.”

“Hasn't told me what?”

“I think she should tell you. Just make sure you take care of her.”

“Kev, seriously what's going on?”

“Nothing. Really. I've gotta go. Mason's ready to watch his movie. I'll catch ya later.”

“Catch ya later.” Why would he be asking something like that? Whatever it was, maybe she'd tell him tonight.



Skylar rummaged through her jewelry box one last time in the search for her favorite necklace before Nick showed up. It would be their official first date and she was nervous enough as it was. She stopped and went through all the place it could be. Nothing. Then her cell phone rang. Shit! She saw the caller ID. Krista. She didn't know anything yet. Her best friend of all people was the last to know about her perfect life falling apart.


“Hey lady. How's it going?”

“Getting ready to go out actually. I know it's been a long time but I was going to call you tomorrow.”

“No biggie. I've been busy working on my latest adventure anyway.”

“I can't wait to read it. I bet it's hotter than hell as usual.”

“You can count on it. So where you headed tonight?”

She was going to have to tell her eventually and was about to when the doorbell rang; avoiding the question the best she could. ” I hate to do this to you lady but somebody's at the door.” Forgetting that she didn't know about the split.

Um, okay. Maybe just her and Kevin's friends arriving.”So you'll call me when you get home girlie?”

“Sure thing Krista.” She motioned Nick to come in as she was trying to get off the phone with her friend.

“Sky? What's going on?” She'd heard the male voice in the background that wasn't the one she was so used to hearing in Skylar's background. Seriously, what was up?

“I'll tell you later. I promise. Gotta go!” She said and hit the end button. She didn't want to do it but she needed to avoid a long drawn out conversation.”Hello.” She turned to Nick.

“Who was that?”

“My best friend.”

“How is I've never met her?”

“I just didn't want her to fall prey to the Carter charm,”Skylar teased.

“So she's your single friend.”

“I don't see her that way and she doesn't see herself that way either. She has men in her life just as sporadically as you have women. She hasn't settled down yet. So are we ready to do this?” Attempting to avoid any further talk of her drop dead gorgeous friend. Tonight was about them.

“I'm ready to go but I don't think you are.” Looking down at her feet.

“That can be fixed. I'll be right back.” She smiled and left the front room briefly. Returning in the black heels she had chosen for the evening, she said,”Let's go.



Later that evening, they pulled up to the house she was renting. He turned the engine off and turned to Skylar in his seat.”I've had a good time tonight Sky but if we're gonna make this work, you need to be a little more open with me.”

She was beginning to think she didn't want it to work. There wasn't a day that went by that Kevin didn't not cross her mind. She was trying to give it a fair chance but maybe they just weren't meant to be.”Meaning?”

“Meaning Kevin called me tonight before I left the house and asked me how you were feeling. I thought that was kind of weird considering the circumstances and all. I know that everything is still fresh but I told you before we take it at your speed. I'm not going anywhere. So what was he talking about Skylar?”

If they were going to be together any amount of time, she was going to start to show and it couldn't be written off as just getting fat. He would know.”The week before we went up to the cabin, I went in for a checkup with my doctor and by the next day, I found out I was pregnant. I was going to tell Kevin before everybody got up there that week.”

Okay. No wonder Kevin was worried about her. He knew Kevin wouldn't be the kind of guy to just up and leave his child.”And you thought you would tell me when exactly?”

“When it was necessary. This was just our first date Nick. Do we really know if it's going anywhere?”

“I'd like to think we were off to a good start.”

“Were?”

“I don't have the answers anymore than you do Sky. I just know I like being with you but if you don't want to do this-”

She stopped him as she took his hand.”You're right. I didn't give it a fair chance. Maybe we could do lunch in a couple of days?”

“I'd like that.” He really wanted to reach over and kiss her breathless but he knew that he had to let her be the guide with the physical. He got out and went around to open the car door for her and walked her to the front door.

She pulled her keys out, turned the lock and looked back to him. Reaching up, she softly pecked him on the cheek.” I had a good time too. I'll see you Tuesday.” And pushed the door open. Was this really going to work?
Chapter 15 by Simple Sue
Krista kept calling her and she kept avoiding her calls with work and her dates with Nick. That was confusing the hell out of her at the moment. She'd been enjoying herself but she really was starting to long for those routine things she had with Kevin. And Mason. That poor child. She could just see Kevin trying to explain this one to him. After a long, breathless goodnight kiss with Nick that night two weeks later, she dialed Krista's number. She needed her friend. More now than ever.

“So now you're ready to talk?” Krista said half asleep.

“I'm sorry. And I'm sorry I've been avoiding your calls. I know I can talk to you about anything but my life is a mess right now.”

“So tell me what's going on.”Krista sat up in her bed and switched on the lamp on the bedside table. It was a rare occasion that she was in bed this early but she'd been working on her book non stop all day and her eyes started drooping.

“Where do I start?”

“Well let's start with your living arrangement for starters. I called Kevin's place to find out you weren't living there anymore.”

“I guess that's where I need to start.”After giving her the whole long drawn out tale of how she got to where she was with Nick, she waited for Krista lay into her but all her friend had done was ask if she was happy. Was she?” I don't know. Some days I'm glad he did what he did while others I wish he'd just come back in and sweep me off my feet.”

“What about Nick?”

That was a good question. What about Nick? He'd been so patient and giving her time. Physically, it was all there with them but when it came to the heart, she wasn't sure she was giving him a hundred percent of hers. Not like he had.” That's just it. It's explosive when we connect on the physical part but.......

“But he doesn't have your heart. Am I right? Krista interrupted. She knew how in love her friend was with Kevin. She wished she was there to put her arms around her friend and just give her a great big old hug; telling her everything would work out. But she wasn't.


She nodded.” You know me too well.”

“It's all good. You'd do the same for me. This Nick sounds like a prince to me though.”

“Oh he is but he's not mine.” God he'd be so perfect for Krista she thought.” He's a good guy and some girl is gonna be very lucky one day. I know I said he was annoying but that was before I really got to know him.”

“You've known him for three years Sky.”

“No. I've known an annoying boy for the last three years. I known a very charming and smart man for the last month.”

“You don't want to hurt him do you?”

“No.”

“You won't. I'm sure you'll work it out. Lie to me and tell me I helped Sky.”

“You have. It's not a lie. I'll take care of it tomorrow. I just hope Kevin feels the same.”

“Sky, I've seen the way he is with you and I can tell you one thing. The month you've been away from him has most likely been killing him as much as it has you. You'll be fine.”

“Thanks Krista. I really needed to hear that. So when are you going to come see me smexy?” Her nickname for her friend.

“As soon as you get your shit back together. Sooner maybe.”She laughed. “Take care of yourself and that baby you hear? Too much stress on the body is not good.”

“You sound like my Mother.”

“But being as I'm closer to being one, you're gonna have me on your ass lady.”

“Fine. I'll keep you updated. Sweet dreams!”

“Back atcha,”Krista said as they both hung up.



The next afternoon, she called Nick to see if he could spare a few minutes. Her partner had taken over operations for the day. Not like it was complicated or nothing Jules was the on call if any of their nannies ran into any trouble. She made sure she was ready when Nick arrived. She sat in a chair and he sat down on the couch. After everything they'd been through, this felt a little awkward. After all, it's not like she thought he was a bad guy. She just didn't want to date him anymore. They could be friends couldn't they?

Why'd it feel so uncomfortable? He was sure he was here because she wasn't feeling this anymore. Truth be told, he wasn't either. He thought he was in love with her. It was when she called that morning that he realized what he'd been feeling for her was a schoolboy crush. Nothing more. Since neither of them was saying anything, he broke the silence.” This isn't feeling right is it?”

“You noticed that too?”


“Sky, I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days and the more I thought about it, the more I realized that what I felt for you was nothing more than-

“Hold that thought,”Skylar interrupted before going to answer the door. When she opened the door,she couldn't believe what she was seeing. “Hi.”

“Can I come in?”

“Well I've kinda got company.” Her heart was racing. Was this really happening?

“I don't care. I've been wandering around that nice big house for the last month, sleeping with your favorite necklace on the bedside table just to have you near me. I thought I was doing the right thing by letting you go. I was so wrong. I'm just hoping it's not too late for us.”

She knew what he was going through because she'd had a few sleepless nights herself but all she could think about was the fact that he'd kept a part of her near him all this time.”You still have my necklace?”

“You left it on the dresser when you moved out. I didn't notice it even until a couple of weeks ago. Sky, I miss you so much.”

“I missed you too,”she said and pulled his mouth to hers. Yeah, this was definitely the stuff she was missing. But it wasn't all just physical. With him, it was every part. He was kissing her with his heart.
They just fit. She didn't even realize she'd forgot about Nick until she heard his throat clearing.


Kevin looked to find Nick standing there.

” I was gonna leave but you two were blocking the door,”Nick remarked.

“By all means,”he replied.

:”Kevin,”Skylar warned.

“What?”

“He was just here to talk this time. We knew it wasn't working. That's why I asked him to come over and talk. We'd both been thinking the same thing.”

“So you're not in love with her?”

“Kev, I never was in love with her. It was just the idea of being in love with her that I was in love with. I knew a week ago that things just weren't working on that level for her and I'm sorry about everything that happened. Forgive me?”

“I think we're both to blame here but we're good if you can forgive me.”

“We're cool. I'll let you two get back to making up there.” He wished he could find something that good in his life. Maybe one day he would.

“So you and Nick?”Kevin turned back to her.

“Physically we agreed but we didn't connect where it mattered. You've always had my heart.”

“And you've always had mine. Speaking of which, he pulled the tiny box out of his pocket and handed it to her.

“What's this?” She looked at him curiously.

“Just open it.”

“Okay.”She lifted the small lid to find her favorite necklace sitting there. She bit her lip to hold back the happy tears but they came anyway.”Will you put it on me?” she sniffled.

“Of course,”he replied; stepping behind; watching as she pulled the long red strands off her neck.

After he put it on her, she turned to face him.”Next time Nick tries to talk you into something, wear earplugs okay?”

He chuckled.”You got it.” He pulled her into his arms.”I'm never letting you go again..”And kissed her softly. Just as he was about to turn things up though, his cell phone went off. Pulling away from her, he pulled it out of his pocket and saw that it was Mason.

“Hey Daddy!”

“Hey buddy! How's it going? Are you being good for Jules?”

“Yeah but did you make up with Skylar Daddy?”

“She's right here. Wanna talk to her?”

“Yeah!”

He smiled as he handed the phone over to Skylar.”Hey munchkin. How's life been treatin you?”

She was so good with him. No wonder he wanted to call her Mommy.

“I miss you Sky. When are you coming home?”

“Soon. I hope.”

“Let me talk to my Daddy again okay?”

“Okay kiddo. Love you bunches.”

“Love you too ladybug!”He said as she handed the phone back to Kevin.

It was cute. They'd found a ladybug together one of the first times she spent with him and it just kind of stuck as Mason's nickname for her.

“So Daddy, When is Skylar coming home?”His little voice filled with the hope that it would be soon.

“I don't know. When do you want her to come home?”

“I want her to come home with you today.”

“Then I guess that means she's coming home today.” This time it would be to stay.
End Notes:


Is this the end or the beginning for somebody else? You tell me! :) Thanks for reading!

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10719