Illicit Gentleman II by VeeLynn
Summary: He gave her the life she had always wanted and he went on without her. When their paths cross a couple of years later they soon find out, they might have tried to forget each other but the past did not.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Graphic Sexual Content, Graphic Violence, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 51 Completed: Yes Word count: 92070 Read: 54765 Published: 11/19/11 Updated: 11/19/11

1. Prologue by VeeLynn

2. Chapter 1 by VeeLynn

3. Chapter 2 by VeeLynn

4. Chapter 3 by VeeLynn

5. Chapter 4 by VeeLynn

6. Chapter 5 by VeeLynn

7. Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

8. Chapter 7 by VeeLynn

9. Chapter 8 by VeeLynn

10. Chapter 9 by VeeLynn

11. Chapter 10 by VeeLynn

12. Chapter 11 by VeeLynn

13. Chapter 12 by VeeLynn

14. Chapter 13 by VeeLynn

15. Chapter 14 by VeeLynn

16. Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

17. Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

18. Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

19. Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

20. Chapter 19 by VeeLynn

21. Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

22. Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

23. Chapter 22 by VeeLynn

24. Chapter 23 by VeeLynn

25. Chapter 24 by VeeLynn

26. Chapter 25 by VeeLynn

27. Chapter 26 by VeeLynn

28. Chapter 27 by VeeLynn

29. Chapter 28 by VeeLynn

30. Chapter 29 by VeeLynn

31. Chapter 30 by VeeLynn

32. Chapter 31 by VeeLynn

33. Chapter 32 by VeeLynn

34. Chapter 33 by VeeLynn

35. Chapter 34 by VeeLynn

36. Chapter 35 by VeeLynn

37. Chapter 36 by VeeLynn

38. Chapter 37 by VeeLynn

39. Chapter 38 by VeeLynn

40. Chapter 39 by VeeLynn

41. Chapter 40 by VeeLynn

42. Chapter 41 by VeeLynn

43. Chapter 42 by VeeLynn

44. Chapter 43 by VeeLynn

45. Chapter 44 by VeeLynn

46. Chapter 45 by VeeLynn

47. Chapter 46 by VeeLynn

48. Chapter 47 by VeeLynn

49. Chapter 48 by VeeLynn

50. Chapter 49 by VeeLynn

51. Epilogue by VeeLynn

Prologue by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                       Prologue

 

 

            Nick sat around the table with all his friends.  He was in Tennessee looking for a new place to live.  Tired of the same old Hollywood bullshit, he needed to get away and leave the temptation behind.  The guys had come out to record songs for their new album Unbreakable, they had a couple of days break so everyone but Nick went back to Cali well except Brian who went back to Atlanta.  He knew he had to head back too because they were recording with JC in Cali, when they started up again but right now he was looking for a new start.

 

“Can we get the bill?” Nick asked as the waitress checked up on them.

 

“No need, it’s on the house tonight.” The waitress said.  “Courtesy of the owner.” The woman smiled.

 

“Oh” Nick said shocked.  “Well can I tell him thank you?”

 

“She” The woman said with a smile.  “Is in the kitchen right now but I will let her know.”

 

“Nice Nick thanks.” His friend said with a smile. 

 

“Hey what can I say the chicks love me?” He smiled and they started to laugh.  They finished their drinks and began to get ready when their waitress came up to them.

 

“She is in her office if you have a moment.” The woman told him.

 

“Cool, I would love to say thank you.” Nick said with a smile.  “Be right back.” He told his friends as he followed the woman to the back of the restaurant.

 

“Ms. Deiu? Mr. Carter is here to see you.” The woman said and Nick’s face fell in puzzlement, where had he heard that name before.  “Go on in.”  When he walked into the office he stopped dead when he saw the woman in front of him.

 

“Eve?” He said a little stunned.

 

“Nick.” She smiled.  “Good to see you.”  She walked over and hugged him, it took him a minute to register everything and then he hugged her back.

 

It had been a long time since he had seen her.  Her name was Eve Deiu and she use to be AJ’s girlfriend, well more than a girlfriend since they were almost engaged.  Almost, because she got an amazing opportunity to learn cooking over in Europe for a year and took it and they both agreed to end the relationship before something bad happened.  They stayed in touch for a while, AJ would go visit her where ever she was, he’d always talk about how she had done this or that, go on and on about the food she would make for him whenever he visited her and then one day it just stopped.  The only thing they could get out of him was she became busy after the course in Europe and he became busy with the Never Gone tour and they lost touch.

 

“How are you?” She asked as she sat on the edge of her desk.  He looked at her in a white cook’s jacket, stains everywhere, her hair pulled back but her bangs hung around her face messy from the hat she had to wear. 

 

“I’m good, doing good and you?” He said still surprised to see her here.

 

“Not bad.” She smiled.  “Hope you like the restaurant.”

 

“It’s great Eve, its awesome Alex would be very proud.” He replied but her face fell as she stood up from the desk.

 

“So what brings you to Tennessee?” She asked as she took off her jacket and hung it up.

 

“Recording with the guys.” Nick told her.

 

“Are they here?” She asked and he saw her confusion.

 

“No, we’re done here for now.  They all went home while we have a few days off.” Nick told her.  “I stayed cause I’m thinking about buying a place out here.”

 

“Really?” She said as she sat down.  “You look good.”

 

“Thanks.” He smiled.  “Figured some shit out, got my act together.”

 

“Been there.” She replied with a light smile and he knew she had, both AJ and her had.  But with her there was more too it than just dealing with fame and a father that abandoned you or parents who used you as a bank account.

 

“So how long have you been here?” He asked as he took a seat and forgot about his friends waiting for him.

 

“Almost a year.” She said.  “I wanted to start my own restaurant and shopped around, lead me here.” She told him.  “I’m up to my eyes in debt but this place isn’t even a year old and I’m doing far better than I thought I would.”

 

“It’s packed and my friends told me it’s the new ‘it’ restaurant.” Nick told with smiling.

 

“Yeah and the compliments are better than my last job.” She joked.  “Laugh Nick.” She told him when Eve saw his reaction.  He lightly smiled and then started laughing. 

 

“Does Alex know you’re here?” He asked when he thought about his band mate not saying anything.  Eve sat there for a second and he watched her take a breath.

 

“Probably not.” She replied lightly shaking her head.  “I haven’t heard from him or seen him in over two years.” Eve told him as she scratched her head with her pointer finger.

 

“Figured, he hasn’t talked about you, just told us you guys fell apart because you were so busy.” Nick sighed.

 

“Is that what he said?” Eve lightly laughed as he looked at her puzzled at her reaction. “It was my fault, I opened my mouth about Kaci, and he felt like I was making him choose and made his choice.” She said raising her eyebrows a little.

 

“No, he never told us that.” Nick said shaking his head.

 

“Well from what I understand he was getting a lot of flack for it.” She said.  “Knowing him he just didn’t want to add that to it.”

 

“I can tell him you’re here.” Nick said and she turned around quickly.

 

“No.” She replied.  “It’s ok.”

 

Nick was about to say something when the door opened.  “Breaks over.” A woman said with a smile as she looked at Nick and then back to Eve.

 

“Alright.” Eve smiled at her and the woman closed the door.  “I gotta go, if you’re hungry from house hunting stop on by, I’ll be here, I’m always here.” She smiled as she opened the door.

 

“It was good seeing you and I will definitely be back.” He nodded; they hugged one more time and then went their separate ways.

 

“Well it’s about damn time.” His friend sighed as the others agreed.

 

“Sorry.” Nick apologized as they walked out of the restaurant.

 

“Got a date?” His buddy asked nudging him.

 

“No, just an old friend.” Nick said as he looked back through the window.

Chapter 1 by VeeLynn
> An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                    Chapter One

 

 

AJ sat on the long leather couch as his head gently bobbed to the music.  They were playing back the track and discussing what needed to stay and what needed a tweak.  This new album was going to be hot; it was going to show the fans the new direction they were going.  Well it wasn’t new it was more like their old sound but updated.  It was a new time for the band, Kevin left and was doing his own thing, plus him and Kris were expecting.  He didn’t like Kevin not being there and truth be told he felt like it was sort of his fault and he knew it wasn’t but it was habit, he’s seen a lot of people leave his life and Kev was the last he thought would go.

 

“So you’ll never guess who I ran into.” Nick said at it broke him from his thoughts.

 

“Who?” Brian asked as he sat down with a soda.

 

“Eve” Nick said and AJ looked at him stunned.

 

“Eve?” Howie said looking at AJ and then back to Nick.

 

“Yeah” Nick nodded and his eyes went right to AJ.

 

“Where?” Howie asked as Nick looked back to D.

 

“Nashville, you know that restaurant Dan told us about, well turns out it’s hers.” Nick said and even AJ gasped when the others did.

 

“She was in Nashville this whole time? Why didn’t you say anything?” Howie asked looking at AJ.  He sat there staring at his friends, all of them looking at him waiting to answer.  He so did not want to get into it here.

 

“I didn’t know, haven’t talked to her in years.” AJ replied sharply.  “Nor do I want too.”

 

“O-kay.” Brian said raising his eyebrows.

 

“So what did she have to say, how is she?” Howie asked.

 

“She’s doing great, the restaurant is a hit and she looks great.” Nick told him as he kept his eye on AJ. 

 

“What?” AJ replied noticing Nick eyeing him.

 

“Nothing.” Nick replied sitting back.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?” He asked starting to get snippy.

 

“Calm down” Nick sighed.

 

“Well stop fucking staring at me.” AJ snapped as he sat back down.

 

“Well when we go back in a few days we should go and check it out.” Howie replied with a nod.

 

“Have fun” AJ mumbled.

 

“You don’t want to go?” Brian asked.

 

“Didn’t I just say I don’t want to talk to her? What makes you think I want to see her?” He snapped again.

 

“What the hell Alex?” Howie asked confused.

 

“Yeah man, what’s going on, thought you’d be happy she’s got her life together, it’s what you wanted wasn’t it?” Brian asked.

 

“What did she say?” Nick asked and AJ looked at him.

 

“What are you talking about?” He asked playing dumb.

 

“About Kaci that pissed you off so much?” Nick asked and AJ realized Nick had obviously talked to Eve.

 

“Well you seem chummy with her, ask her.” AJ replied back as he took a sip of his soda.  “I need a smoke.” He mumbled as he got up and walked out of the studio.

 

Great this was all he needed, them bugging him about Eve.  He thought it was in the past, gone, done and over with but no.  Pushing on the glass door he walked outside and pulled his smokes from his pocket.  As he took a drag of the lit cigarette his mind started to wonder.

 

 

“Evie!?” AJ shouted as he walked into his house.

 

“Kitchen.” She replied and he smiled, wondering what she was cooking today.

 

“How did I know?” AJ said with a smile as he walked in and saw her dicing onions up.  She smiled at him as he walked over to her.  “Got something for you?”

 

“What?” She asked as she wiped her hands on a towel.

 

“Now it’s just a suggestion, just something to think about, maybe sometime down the road cause you just finished the high school course.” He told her and she nodded, then he handed her the booklet.

 

“California School of Culinary Arts.” She read as she opened the book.

 

“There’s a course starting in a couple of months but you don’t have to go, you can look into it though, like I said sometime down the road.” He told her.

 

“It would be nice, I really like cooking.” She said as she looked at the book.

 

“I hear a but” AJ said.

 

“But I can’t afford this, at least not right now.” She said as she closed the book up.

 

“Well I can.” AJ replied with a light laugh.

 

“Alex.” She sighed.

 

“Evelyn.” He replied lovingly mocking her like he usually did when this subject came up.  Walking over to her he took her by the waist and pulled her close to him. “If this is what you want to do then I want to give it too you, you deserve to do something you love.”

 

The sound of the door opening behind him cleared his head and he looked over his shoulder.  “What?” He asked as Nick came out.

 

“I didn’t realize it would make you so mad, thought you’d be happy I ran into her.” Nick said as he walked up beside him.  “Like I mean I didn’t think you’d still be pissed at her over something she said about Kaci.”

 

“Well you were wrong.” AJ replied as he took a drag of his smoke.

 

“I should have known when she told me not to tell you.” Nick sighed.

 

“Tell me what?” AJ asked.

 

“That I saw you.” Nick replied.  “I asked her if she wanted me too tell you I saw her and she said no, it was ok.”

 

“Well you should have listened.” AJ said as he tossed his smoke to the ground and stepped on it.

 

“I don’t even listen to you guys, why would I listen to her.” Nick said jokingly but AJ didn’t laugh, he just grabbed the glass door and walked inside.

 

Ignoring Nick he walked back down the hall and into the private studio room.  Howie and Brian both looked at him as he walked in but he ignored them too, wondering what exactly Eve told Nick and what he told them.  Sitting back down on the couch he examined his nails, noting he needed them redone, the black was either chipped or bitten off.  When Nick walked in he peaked up and sighed with relief when he saw both Brian and Howie not looking at him anymore.

 

His phone started to vibrate and he reached into his pocket pulling it out. “Yellow?” He answered into it.  “Hey Rachel, how are you?” He asked as the woman on the other end answered.  “Absolutely I’d love too.” He replied and he felt the eyes of his band mates on him.  “Ok, talk to you tonight love.” And then he hung up.

 

“Who’s Rachel?” Howie asked.

 

“A friend” AJ replied as he put his phone back into his pocket.

 

“Eve was a friend too.” Nick mumbled and AJ shot him a look.

 

“Alright enough about Eve, let’s get back to work.” Brian sighed as he turned his chair to the mix board.

 

“Fine by me.” AJ replied as he stood up and took a seat by Brian.

Chapter 2 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                   Chapter Two

 

 

            AJ’s eyes slowly fluttered open as a piece of hair tickled his nose.  He brushed it away and looked to his right.  Rachel, the woman he had been out with that night laid sleeping beside him.  Slowly he slipped his hand out from under her neck and sat up on the edge of the bed.  Rubbing his eyes he wiped away the fog of just waking up and remembered what led them to the bed.  He looked back at her, her long brown hair blocking most of the tattoo’s on her shoulders and back.  With a sigh he stood up, grabbed his pants and slipped them on.  He then walked out of his room and down the stairs.  His dogs heard him up and awake and joined him in the hallway.  Letting them outside first he followed them and lit a smoke as he sat down on the patio chair.

 

           

AJ turned around and took both of her hands into his.  “I wanted everyone here to share this with us.” He told her.  “We’ve been through a lot Evie and I often wondered if we’d ever make it to this point.  When I first met you I learned how lost you were and how alone you were, I didn’t realize how lost and alone I was until I met you.  Now it’s a year later, you’ve gotten through all the bad things, I’ve gotten through the bad things, you got your diploma, your going to culinary school and god only knows what is in store for you.  I’m so proud of the person you’ve become and I’m proud of the person you helped me become.”  Reaching into his inside jacket pocket as he kneeled on one knee, AJ looked up at her as he held a small black box in front of her.  “I want to see what happens, I want to share everything with you, and I want to know, Evelyn Deiu will you marry me?” He asked as he opened the box in front of her.  Inside was a small silver ring with three stones in it, one dark red stone, a Garnet for his birthday, and one dark purple stone, Amethyst for her birthday, and a diamond sat in the middle.  Everyone’s eyes were fixated on her waiting and watching as she stared at the ring in front of her.

 

“I…” She paused.  AJ watched as her face began to fall into sadness.  “I can’t Alex.” Everyone around her gasped and AJ stood up quickly. “I’m sorry I can’t.”

 

 

            “Fuck!” He cursed as the red amber touched his finger and he dropped his smoke, grabbing his finger in pain.  He wiped his eyes and looked at his finger and then picked his cigarette back up.

 

“I’m sorry Alex I just don’t think she’s good for you, she’s too young she can’t handle what you’ve been through, she won’t really understand.” Eve said to him as he sat on the phone.  “I don’t want you to get hurt and I really don’t want you coming out here crying when it’s over.”

 

“Bitch.” AJ snapped as he tossed his cigarette into the coffee can he had under the table. 

 

Standing up AJ headed back into the house and the dogs returned to the living room.  Slowly he climbed up the stairs and walked back into his room.  The woman still sleeping he crawled in beside her and wrapped his arm around her.

 

“Ugh.” She mumbled as she pulled away.  “You smell like cigarettes.” She sighed as she covered herself up and fell back asleep.  AJ laid there for a moment and then rolled over onto his side.

 

“You weren’t complaining earlier.” He grumbled as he laid his head on his pillow.

 

The next morning AJ woke up and found Rachel in his kitchen.  The coffee was on so he sat down at the island and waited.  “Morning.” He said to her with a light smile.

 

“Morning.” She replied.  “I have to get to class but the coffee is on.” She told him and then leaned in and kissed him.  He didn’t really kiss her back but she was in to much of a rush to notice.  “I’ll call you later.”

 

“Ok.” AJ mumbled as he heard the door close.  When Bernie came up to him he patted the dog on the head and then walked over to the back door opening it.  He watched as the dogs ran around for a while, circling his pool.

 

Slowly swimming her to the closes edge he gently pressed her up against the pool wall.  He hoped he wasn’t pushing her but he wanted her to feel good again, if only for a few seconds.  She wrapped her arms around his neck as the passionately kissed.  AJ pushed his lower body against her, letting her feel him through his trunks, and as he slipped her bikini bottoms off her Eve pulled his erection from his shorts.  Wrapping her legs around him she slid down onto him, both of them moaned softly.  The water splashed around them as he thrusted into her.  He felt her arms wrap tighter around him as his pace quickened.

 

“Eve…” AJ sighed as he remembered how he felt at that moment and then snapped back into reality when he heard the door bell ring.  He left the back door opened for the dogs as he thought about non sexual things trying to calm his lower half after the little day dream.

 

“You’re home.” Kevin smiled as AJ pulled back the door.

 

“Yep” AJ smiled as he let Kevin in.

 

“No recording today?” He asked as AJ closed the door behind him.

 

“Later.” He told him as they walked to the kitchen.  Calling the dogs in AJ waited for them to come back and then closed the sliding door.  “So what brings you by?”

 

“Was on this side of town, figured I’d come by say hello.” Kevin told him as he sat down at the island.  “You look a little stressed.”

 

“Just in a mood.” He shrugged.

 

“Just a mood or that fact Nick ran into Eve?” Kevin asked and AJ’s head shot up.  His eyes rolled realizing Nick called Kevin and told him what happened.

 

AJ shook his head.  “Like I give a shit about her.”

 

“You use to.” Kevin replied.  “And that attitude right there says you still do.”

 

“Well news flash I don’t, if anything it’s pissing me off the way everyone’s all of a sudden in my face about her.” AJ said getting annoyed.

 

“Dude Nick says she’s got her own restaurant.” Kevin said as he made sure he had AJ’s attention.  “Her own restaurant, you helped her do that, helped her with her dream and you’re just gonna ignore it? Why? Because of something she said two years ago, nothing I’m sure any of us hadn’t already said.”

 

“If you came here to talk about Eve, just leave cause I don’t.” AJ snapped as he slammed his fist down on the table.

 

“Ok.” Kevin said taking the hint now.

 

Kevin and AJ made small talk until their coffees were gone and then Kevin headed out so AJ could get ready for the recording session.  As he got dressed his mind was a flurry.  Where did Nick get off blabbing his mouth to Kevin, Nick wasn’t him, he didn’t know how AJ felt and he sure as hell didn’t have the right to tell him what he should do.

 

“Go see her” AJ scoffed.  “Sure I’ll go see her and ask her for a cheque.” AJ mumbled as he slammed his front door closed.

 

           

Chapter 3 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                 Chapter Three

 

 

“I must be the luckiest girl in the world.” Rachel smiled as she walked into the hotel room with AJ in her arms.

 

“You will be in a minute.” He mumbled as he pressed his lips to her.  She laughed as he picked her up and walked over to the bed.  Laying her down his lips drifted down her neck as her hands pulled his shirt over his head.  Their fevered passionate kisses were interrupted when someone knocked on the door.

 

“Alex” Rachel pouted as he got up and walked to the door.

 

“What?” AJ said as he opened the hotel room door.

 

“We’re going to go eat, you wanna come?” Nick asked as he looked over AJ’s shoulder and saw Rachel fixing her hair, sitting on the bed.  “Never mind.”

 

“What do you mean never mind?” AJ asked.

 

“We’re going to Eve’s place.” Nick told him.  “Didn’t realize you brought a guest.”

 

“Oh” AJ said looking back at Rachel.  “Yeah I asked her to come with.”

 

“Well then see ya when we get back.” Nick replied with a light wave as he walked away from the door.  AJ stood there for a minute staring at Nick as his friend walked down the hall.

 

“Are you coming back?” Rachel whispered in his ear as her arms wrapped around him.

 

“Yeah” AJ said as he closed the door.  He let her pull him back over to their bed and slid up to the pillows as he crawled over to her.  AJ returned his lips to her neck as her fingers drifted across the base of his neck.  When he pulled her panties off she began to unbuckle his belt as Rachel sat up and kissed his chest and stomach.  Laying her back down he kicked off his jeans and pulled her leg around him.  He looked at her as their bodies rocked against each others.  His mind filtered back to the many times he held Eve against him like this.  She arched her back and moaned his name as she hit her peak; AJ faked his and then collapsed beside her. 

 

Lying in bed as Rachel lightly kissed his neck, he stared at the ceiling.  “Are you hungry?” He asked.

 

“For food?” Rachel replied with a smirk. 

 

AJ lightly smiled back. “Yeah”

 

“Sure.” Rachel nodded as she leaned in and kissed him again.  The couple got dressed and headed down to the lobby, the hotel called AJ a cab and soon they were off to eat.

 

“Where too?” The driver asked as AJ closed the door.

 

“Garden of Eden.” AJ told him and the driver pulled away from the hotel.

 

“Is that the place Nick was talking about yesterday?” Rachel asked as AJ looked from window to her.

 

“Yeah” He nodded.  “They still might be there but we can eat by ourselves.” He told her and she smiled back at him.

 

“I hope we can get a seat.” Rachel frowned as they looked at all the cars in the parking lot.  AJ took her hand and walked into the restaurant and up to the hostess. 

 

“Table for two?” He asked and the woman looked at her chart. 

 

“It’ll be about fifteen minutes.” The woman replied.

 

“Ok” AJ nodded and then turned to Rachel but something caught his eye and he looked over her shoulder.  He saw Howie waving to him.  “We’ve been spotted.” He said nodding to Howie as Rachel looked at him.  She looked over her shoulder and then back to him. 

 

“We can go say Hi, we have some time.” She said as she took his hand and walked over to their table.

 

“Changed your mind?” Nick asked and only AJ picked up on his tone.

 

“Yeah we had desert before the meal.” Rachel said with a smile.

 

“Are you guys sitting with us?” Howie asked.

 

“No we got our own table just waiting.” AJ said as he started to scan the restaurant. 

 

“What do you think?” Nick asked and AJ looked at him.

 

“About?” AJ replied.

 

“The restaurant?” Nick said with a small sly smile.

 

“It’s nice.” He replied shooting Nick a look.

 

“Well we should get back, don’t want to miss them calling us.” AJ said to Rachel and he took her hand.

 

“See ya back at the hotel.” Howie said with a nod. 

 

The couple took a seat on the long leather bench and cuddled as they waited for their table.  As Rachel whispered something in his ear he saw Nick get up from his table and grab his jacket.  AJ watched as Nick walked away from the other guys, passed him and Rachel and out the door.

 

“What was that about?” Rachel asked as AJ looked back at the table where Brian and Howie were. 

 

“I dunno, be right back, if they call us go grab the table I’ll join you in a second.” He told her and she nodded.  AJ got up and headed outside of the restaurant and looked around for Nick.

 

“Where are you going?” AJ asked as he walked up to his friend who stood at the restaurant walkway.

 

“Going back to the hotel.” Nick said not looking at him.

 

“Done already?” AJ asked.

 

“No, but it seems I’ve lost my appetite.” Nick shot at him.

 

“What the fuck does that mean?” AJ asked noticing the look and comment.

 

“Why the hell did you come here?” Nick asked.

 

“We were hungry and you said this place was good.” AJ replied.

 

“You’re a fucking asshole.” Nick snapped at him.  “Go back inside.” Nick yelled as the cab rolled up and he got in.  AJ stood there and watched the cab pull out of the parking lot and down the street. 

 

When he got back inside the hostess was coming to get them to seat them.  He followed her and Rachel to the table and they sat down.  He noticed a moment later Howie and Brian leave; he waved to them and they returned it.

 

“So what was wrong with Nick?” Rachel asked.

 

“Guess he wasn’t feeling good.” AJ replied with a shrug as he opened the menu.  The couple ordered and chatted as they waited for their food.  As soon as AJ took a bite of his spaghetti he knew it was Eve’s and he couldn’t help but smile.

 

“This Alfredo is so good.” Rachel said with a smile as their waitress walked up to the table.  “This is so good.” Rachel told the waitress and the woman smiled.

 

“This is for you.” The woman said as she handed AJ an envelope.

 

“Oh?” AJ said as he took the paper from the woman and watched her walked away.

 

“Love letter from a fan?” Rachel teased him.  AJ just lightly smirked as he slowly opened the envelope.  He looked inside and saw a thin piece of paper sitting inside, pulling the back out more so he could see deeper into the envelope he realized it was a cheque, a cheque for the exact amount Eve’s schooling cost, and her signature at the bottom.

 

“I’ll be right back.” AJ said as he got up from his chair, Rachel looked at him confused as he walked over to their waitress.

 

“Excuse me?” AJ said to get the waitress’s attention. “Did Eve give you this?” He asked.

 

“Yes.” The woman nodded.

 

“Is she busy?” AJ asked.

 

“No not right now, she’s in her office.” The woman said and pointed to the cherry wood door on the other side of the restaurant.  AJ made his way over to the door and stopped in front of it.  After he knocked he waited and a moment later the door opened.  The air in his lungs rushed from his chest when he saw her.  Her cook’s jacket was unbutton and hung down her sides, her hair in a messy ponytail but AJ found it a little sexy.

 

“Not enough?” She asked as she stared at him.

 

“No, I mean yeah it’s enough.” He replied finally being able to get his breath back.  “But you don’t have…”

 

“Yes I do.” She replied quickly. “Now is there anything else I can help you with…Sir?” She asked as she held the door opened.  He crumbled the envelope up and tossed it at her.

 

“Keep it.” He told her.  “I owe you for all those dances anyways.” He snapped and then walked away as the rage rushed through him but when he heard her door slam his heart sank.

 

“Everything ok?” Rachel asked as he sat back down at the table.

 

“Fine” He replied as he picked up his glass of soda.  “Are you done?” He asked nodding to her plate.

 

“I’m stuffed.” She sighed.  “To bad too the cheesecake looks good.”

 

            “Thought you had desert already.” AJ smirked to her and she laughed.

Chapter 4 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                 Chapter Four

 

 

AJ sat on the edge of the hotel bed as he quietly smoked his cigarette.  His mind drifted to this afternoon and seeing Eve and what he said too her.  He sighed as he rubbed his eyes and laid his head in his hands.  Nick was right he was an asshole and he couldn’t believe he said what he said to her.  Looking at his watch as it sat on the table, he read the time as eight minutes to midnight and he wondered if the place was still opened.  Putting his smoke out in the ashtray AJ stood up and quietly got dressed, careful not to wake the sleeping woman in his bed.  Slowly he closed his bedroom door over and waited a minute after it locked.  He walked over to the elevator, pressed the down button and waited.  When he walked up to the front desk, he asked the clerk for a cab and went outside lighting another smoke while he waited.  It only took about five minutes for the cab to roll around and he hopped in telling the driver where to go.

 

He laid on his back, his eyes closed, the sounds of the waves hitting the Maui shore line flowed through out the room, and the feeling of her lips on his chest sent goose bumps all over his body.  Opening his eyes he looked down at her and ran his fingers through her hair. 

 

“Eve?” He said and she looked up at him.

 

“Yeah?” She replied with a soft smile.

 

“That night at my place after you told me about going to Europe and you danced for me.” He said as she rested her chin gently on his bare chest.  “I just wanted to say thank you, I missed watching you dance but I didn’t want too…” He stopped as he searched for the word.

 

“You missed watching me dance?” She asked as she sat up a little.

 

“Yeah” He replied with a nod.  “But like I said I didn’t want you thinking that, that’s what I wanted or needed from you.”

 

“You’ve never made me feel that way, I don’t even think you ever could Alex, you’re above that, you treat everyone not just girls, with respect, it’s one of the things I love about you.” She said with a smile as she slowly moved up towards him. Leaning in she kissed him, trapping his lip between hers and then slowly pulled away.  “Do you want me to dance for you now?” She asked in a whisper as she brushed her lips over his.  He nodded slightly as she pressed her lips back to his…

 

“Sir?” The man said and AJ jumped startled.  “We’re here.”

 

“Oh” He said quickly as he reached for his wallet and paid the man.  When he got out of the car he looked at the large windows of the building, he could see chairs over turned sitting on top of the tables but there was someone sitting at the bar. 

 

“The bar” AJ said slowly as he hoped it wasn’t her.  Quickly he closed the door and walked over to the window.  When he saw that it was Eve sitting there his heart sank.  Slowly he reached up and gently tapped on the window hoping not to scare her.  It did anyways and she almost fell out of her chair.  He awkwardly smiled as his eyebrows frowned in apology as she looked at him.  She stared at him for a moment and then walked out from behind the bar.  AJ headed towards the front door and met up with her as she unlocked them.

 

“We’re closed.” She said looking at him.

 

“I didn’t mean to scare you I’m sorry.” AJ apologized.

 

“What do you want AJ?” She asked with a sigh as she leaned against the door.

 

“Wanted to say I’m sorry.” He said.

 

“Fine” She said with a casual shrug.  “Is that all?”

 

“Is everything ok?” He asked as his eyes darted to the bar.  She noticed and smirked.

 

“Just filling in the books for tonight, more room there.” She said as AJ looked back at her.

 

“Oh” He replied a little embarrassed he had jumped to the conclusion she would be drinking, he hated it when people and the fans did it towards him.  They stood in silence for a minute and then Eve spoke up.

 

“Did you cab it here?” She asked not seeing another car in the lot.

 

“Yeah, we usually just go from hotel to studio and back again, no sense wasting money on a rental.” AJ said with a shrug.

 

“Well why don’t you come in, I’m almost done and I’ll drive you back to your hotel.” She said and he looked at her a little surprised.

 

“Ok” AJ nodded as she let him walk in.  She locked the door and he followed her over to the bar.  “Can I ask you something?” He said as she sat down in front of him.

 

“Sure” She replied as she wrote something down.

 

“Why did you give me that cheque?” He asked and she looked up at him.

 

“Cause I owe it too you.” She replied as she picked up her pen and started copying numbers from a piece of paper into the book.

 

“No you don’t.” AJ said shaking his head.  “And I’m sorry I tossed it at you and said what I said this afternoon but it kind of pissed me off.”

 

“Oh and the little scene over there.” She replied as she pointed her pen over towards the doors and benches. “I mean the first time I see you in two years, you’re with some girl making out in my waiting lobby and I’m pretty sure you knew this place was mine.” She said as she closed the book over.

 

“You made me choose.”

 

“I didn’t make you choose anything Alex.” She replied as she picked up the book.  “You asked me what I thought and I told you.  It was bad enough I played rebound girl for you, I wasn’t about to become sloppy seconds to some seventeen year old.”

 

“See! That right there, that stupid fucking snide remark got us here!” He yelled at her.

 

“Every girl you were with between me and Kaci, every time it ended you came to me.” She told him as he followed her along the bar.  “And yea it’s on me too, I let it happened.  You’d fly out all up set, spend the week with me, go home and then hook up with someone else.”  Eve said as she opened the door to her office.

 

“And you didn’t get anything out of it?” He asked as he followed her in. 

 

“Damn it Alex!” She shouted as she tossed down the book on her desk.

 

“Well don’t get all fucking pissy at me, you’re the one that ended it remember?” He snapped back at her.

 

“You know why.” She replied as she turned to a cabinet, unlocked it and put the book away.

 

“Yeah and you still took me back every time I came to see you, so who’s the one throwing out mixed signals?” He told her.  “What was I supposed to do Evelyn? Tell you not to go? Tell you to give up on your dream and marry me?”

 

“No” she replied as she closed the cabinet.

 

“Didn’t you trust me?” He asked as she stood up.  “I mean after all the shit I went through with you.”  Eve didn’t say anything as she slid her jacket on and pulled out her hair.  AJ walked around her desk and grabbed her by the arm.  “Damn it answer me!” He snapped at her as he spun her around to face him.  When he did he saw why she hadn’t answered him, she was to busy fighting back her tears.

 

“I fucked up ok!” She shouted at him and shoved him away enough he let go of her arm.  He looked at her stunned as she walked around to the other side of her desk.  “I was scared and I panicked, I kept telling myself that whole month I was doing the right thing but I was wrong.” AJ walked over to her as she sat down in the chair across from her desk and knelt down in front of her.

 

“Why were you scared?” AJ asked.

 

“I was scared because I had this huge opportunity, something that I wanted and you wanted and I just felt like I couldn’t have both.” She told him as she wiped her eyes.

 

“Both?” AJ replied a little confused.

 

“I felt like if I went to Europe I would lose you and it scared me.  This was me we’re talking about some drug addicted, drunken stripper from a defunk home.” She said wiping her eyes, trying to stop them from flowing.

 

“Evelyn you were so much more than that, you still are, I mean look at this place.” AJ said to her as he took her hands. 

 

“I know that now but back then.” She replied as she lightly shook her head.  “The only good thing I had was you and I thought I didn’t deserve both, so I made myself choose and I knew you would never hold me back from going.  So I wanted to end it on my terms at least have a chance to say goodbye, and I thought it would hurt less but I was wrong.”  Without giving it another thought AJ pulled her into his arms.  “When you would come out and see me, there were so many times I wanted to ask you to stay, wanted to tell you I made a mistake and that I was sorry.” She told him as her arms slid around his back and she lightly sobbed.  He held her for a while, until her sobs stopped.  Pulling away he looked at her, her eyes red and wet, tears still wet against her cheeks. 

 

AJ cupped his hand against the side of her neck and wiped his thumb across her cheek as he cleared away the tears.  He almost forgot how soft her skin was, how lost he could get in her eyes, and how much he missed kissing her.  Slowly he leaned in and gave his lips what they craved and he was a little surprised he was met with little resistance.  As their mouths opened slightly their tongues gently flicked at each other and then retreated as their mouths closed.  He pulled her jacket off and she placed her hands on the side of his neck as their kisses grew more passionate.  They pulled away slightly; staring at each other breathless and in a split second decided what to do next. 

 

Eve slipped off of the chair, both now kneeling on the floor as AJ pulled her shirt over her head.  He lowered his head pressing his lips to her chest as she held his head in her hands.  With a snap of his fingers her bra came undone and he pulled it away from her, returning his lips to breasts.  His lips drifted down to her nipple and he gently teased it with his mouth and teeth.  When his shirt went over his head he brought his kisses back to her lips and shivered lightly as her nails slithered down his stomach.  She began unbuckling his pants and he began unbuckling hers.  He pulled her down on top of him as he laid back onto the floor.  AJ reached down and pulled her panties off as she kissed up his neck and behind his ear. 

 

His hands slipped down her sides and stopped at her hips, their lips pecked at each other and she slid down onto him.  He squeezed her hips as she began to rock her lower body against him and he thrusted up into her.  Her hands rested on either side of his head, her hair brushed past the side of his face as her pace quickened and he slid his hands up her stomach and around her breasts.  Gently he squeezed them as he bucked his lower body and moaned. 

 

“Fuck…Alex…” Eve gasped breathless as she pushed herself down onto him fast and hard.  His head rolled back and moaned deeply as he felt her tightening around him.  He grabbed her waist again and pulled her down onto him with each thrust upwards as he hit his peak.  Moaning her name as she brought her lips to his and kissed him, AJ’s body began to relax.  Cupping the side of her neck in his hand again as they kissed, his thumb gently brushed along her jaw line and he kept it there as their lips parted.  Their eyes locked onto each others as they laid on the floor of Eve’s office.

 

“Come back to my place?” She asked as his thumb drifted passed her lips. He nodded, still a little breathless.

 

           

Chapter 5 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                  Chapter Five

 

 

 “Alex?” He heard someone whisper and it began to wake him from his deep sleep.  Moaning he rolled over onto his back when he heard the voice again.  “Alex?”  Slowly his eyes fluttered opened and he saw Eve looking back at him.  Confused for a moment he stared at her, her hair messy and hanging in her face, the lavender sheet wrapped around her and him and he smiled as the images of the night before strolled into his head.

 

Reaching up he brushed her hair from his face with a soft tired ‘I just woke up’ smile.  “Hi.”  Cupping his hand around the base of her neck he pulled her closer and kissed her.  As they kissed he sat up on his arm and slowly rolled her onto her back but as his naked body touched hers, she pulled her lips away from him.

 

“Wait.” She told him and he stopped with a small confused look on his face.  “It’s seven in the morning, I think you should get going.”

 

“Why?” He replied.  “I don’t have to be at the studio till one.” He told her and then went in for another kiss but she stopped him again.

 

“But you do have someone waiting for you back at your hotel room.” She said and then he remembered Rachel.

 

“Fuck” He sighed as he sat up.  “Eve…I…”

 

“I really don’t care right now Alex.” She told him with a light smile.  “Didn’t give a shit about Sarah, why would I care about her but Nick has called your cell like eight times already.”

 

He lightly laughed as he brushed his fingers through her hair.  “Are you off today?”

 

“Well if you mean do I have to cook today no but I need to go in for a few hours anyways.” She told him as they sat in her bed.

 

“I’m very proud of you.” He said as he picked up her fingers and lovingly played with them.

 

“Thanks.” She replied with a light laugh.

 

“I mean it, the restaurant is amazing, the food is amazing and after everything I’ve seen you go through, it just, it makes me really happy that I helped you do that, gave you what you wanted.”  He told her.

 

“And I’ll always be grateful for it.” She told him as their fingers tangled together.

 

“Promise you won’t give me another cheque?” He said as they looked at each other.

 

“Only if you promise not to make out with any more girls in my restaurant.” She replied with a light smile and it made him laugh lightly.

 

“I promise.” He told her as he brought her hand to his lips and kissed her fingers lovingly.  His lips traveled from her hand up her arm, across her collar bone, up her neck and stopped at her lips.  Unfortunately for them they were broken apart by AJ’s cell ringing.  She lightly smiled as he crawled out of bed and grabbed his jeans.

 

“Hello?” He answered into the phone but knew it was Nick by the number on the screen and pulled his jeans up.

 

“Please tell me you’re not drunk.” Nick said quickly.

 

“I’m not drunk.” AJ sighed rolling his eyes and it made Eve giggle.

 

“Then where in the hell are you, we’ve got one pissed off woman here, apparently you’ve been gone all night.” Nick sighed into the phone.

 

“Yeah, I’ll explain when I get there.” AJ told him even though most of his attention was on Eve as she got dressed.

 

“Just hurry, she’s giving me a headache.” Nick sighed into the phone.  AJ said goodbye and cut the call off.

 

“Do you want me to drive you?” She asked as she walked out of her bathroom.

 

“Sure.” AJ nodded as he pulled his shirt over his head.  She smiled as she turned around to head out of the bedroom when he grabbed her gently by the arm and spun her to face him.  Eve looked at him a little shocked and was about to say something but didn’t get the chance too as his lips pressed against hers.

 

“W-what was that for?” She asked a little taken back by it as he let her lips go.

 

“Just in case I can’t get one when we get to the hotel.” He said quietly as his eyes locked on hers.  Eve softly smirked as he let go of her arm and they walked out of her house.

 

When they pulled up to the hotel AJ found himself not wanting to leave her car.  “So I’ll come by the restaurant when were done in the studio and we’ll talk some more, ok?”

 

“Ok” Eve nodded with a light smile.  Even though he had kissed her back at the house, he decided he didn’t care if anyone saw him and leaned over and kissed her. 

 

“Bye” He said as he pulled away.

 

“Bye” She replied, he smiled and then got out of the car. 

            AJ closed the door and watched her car pull away, he sighed as it disappeared down the street.  Making his way into the hotel, he waited at the elevators as his thoughts swirled through his head.  He did not see that coming, even though everyone thought getting back with Eve would be the last thing on his mind, deep down inside it was all he ever wanted.  It pissed him off that he didn’t get a say, that she didn’t really let him have a say and now he knew why.  When he saw her crying his heart broke, like it always did when he would catch her upset about something.  Then he felt her in his arms and memories upon memories flooded his mind as he held her and he just couldn’t fight it anymore.

 

“Asshole!” Someone shouted and as he looked up he was slapped across the face.

 

“What the fuck!” AJ shouted as he grabbed his face and looked at the fuming woman in front of him.

 

“Where the hell were you?!” She demanded as she looked at him.  “You think I’m some personal fuck toy you can take around with you!?”

 

“I’m sorry alright; I needed to think about some things.” He said as he saw Nick and Brian coming out of their rooms.

 

“Please, don’t hand me that bullshit, you think I’m stupid?” She yelled. “I’m not going to stay here and play second fiddle to some Nashville slut! I mean why even bring me out here Alex if you were just going to go out and find some street whore, or bar hag?”

 

“It wasn’t like that.” AJ told her.

 

“Fuck you.” Rachel snapped as she picked up her bag.  “Don’t ever fucking call me again!” She snapped as she pushed by him and down the hall to the elevators. 

 

“See, you’re an asshole.” Nick said as he walked up to AJ.  He looked at his friend as he rubbed his cheek.

 

“Well what does that make Eve cause I was with her?” AJ said as he dropped his hand from his face.

 

“Wait, you were with Eve?” Brian replied. “What were you guys doing?” Nick started laughing and even AJ looked at Brian dumb founded.  “Alex” Brian sighed.

 

“Well it’s not like I planned it ok.” AJ said to him.  “We got into a little fight at the restaurant…”

 

“I wonder why?” Nick interrupted him and he shot Nick a look but his friend just shrugged.

 

“I went to the restaurant to apologize, we started talking about everything and it just sort of happened.” AJ told them.

 

“At the restaurant? On the bar or one of the tables, cause I hope you wouldn’t do it on the floor.”

 

“Nick!” Brian snapped.

 

“Well it’s gross; I’m sure Eve keeps the place totally cleaned but still, ew.” Nick said as he shudder making his point.

 

“So you were there all night?” Brian asked as he rolled his eyes at Nick.

 

“No, we went back to her place.” AJ said

 

“Even though you knew Rachel was here?” Brian replied getting a little angry.

 

“Yeah I know I’m an asshole.” AJ sighed as he headed to his room.

 

“So wait.” Nick said stopping him.  “What does this mean for you and Eve?”

 

“I dunno.” AJ shrugged.  “I’m meeting her tonight after our session so we can talk some more.”

 

“Maybe you should have done more of that last night.” Brian piped up.

 

“Oh I’m sure they were talking.” Nick smirked.

 

“Ugh” Brian moaned as he turned and walked away.

Chapter 6 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                  Chapter Six

 

 

            AJ sat on the couch his phone sitting on his leg as he waited for a text back from Eve.  She was at the restaurant now and he sat waiting for Brian and Howie to get back with dinner, although it was Subway and not from Eve’s.  Nick spun around in the chair in the middle of the room.

 

            “So tell me dude.” Nick spoke up as he spun around.  “What the hell happened, cause yesterday you had a serious hate on for her.”

 

“Who?” AJ asked looking up from his phone.

 

“Eve dumbass.” Nick sighed still spinning.

 

“You’re going to make yourself sick.” AJ replied.

 

“No I won’t.” Nick said as he stopped the chair and sat up.  “Oh crap.” He moaned as he slid out of the chair and laid on the floor.

 

“Who’s the dumbass?” AJ asked as he looked back at his phone.

 

“Shut up and answer the question.” Nick mumbled from the floor.

 

“Uhh…” AJ said looking at him.

 

“You know what I mean.” Nick replied as he shot his middle finger up at AJ and he giggled at Nick.

 

“We just both agreed that the reason we were really angry with each other is because…”

 

“Is because you didn’t wanna break up in the first place.” Nick finished as he sat up.

 

“Dude.” AJ said irked Nick answered.

 

“Sorry, but come on, if you weren’t with someone in Cali you were in Italy or France, and then when she got the job in New York before you stopped talking.”  Nick said as he got up on the chair.

 

“Well she never said no.” AJ replied.

 

“I know, that’s my point” Nick sighed throwing his hands up a little.  “What about what she said about Kaci?”

 

“What about it?” AJ asked.

 

“Are you still mad at her, I don’t even know what she said.” Nick replied. “What did she say?”

 

AJ looked at Nick a minute and then sighed.  “She told me that she didn’t agree with the relationship and not because she was seventeen, it was because she knew Kaci wouldn’t be able to handle or understand my past and my problems and she was worried that I could slip up easier.”

 

“What was the choice tho?” Nick asked.

 

“She never really made me choose, she told me that if I did ask Kaci to marry me, then she wasn’t going to play sloppy seconds to a seventeen year old.”  AJ told him.  “I then told her fine, I’ll marry her and she won’t have worry about it.  I hung up and that was that.” 

 

“Well she was kind of right.”  Nick said with a light shrug.

 

“I know.” AJ sighed.  “Like I said I was pissed and hurt it ended at all, so anything she would have said probably would have set me off.”  He picked up his phone and rolled it down his leg with his fingers.  “You know, I’ve thought about it all day and it was so fucking childish, all of it, to toss what we went through away because one phone call, over Kaci.” AJ sighed.

 

“Well it’s not all on you she ended it in the first place, instead of trying to make it work.” Nick replied.

 

“Yeah, but she told me she was scared and I get that, that internship was huge for her.  It’s not like she was use to having such a big thing happen to her and I guess I can see why she did what she did, maybe I should have stopped her, maybe I should have not let her walk through security.” AJ said as they heard Brian and Howie walking down the hallway.  “We’ll just see what happens from here I guess.” AJ shrugged. 

 

Brian and Howie walked in with the Subway bags and AJ looked at Nick and his friend knew to drop it.  Eve wasn’t really Brian’s favorite person in the world and there would just be even more questions, especially with what happened this morning with Rachel.

 

As he sat on the couch eating his sub, his phone started buzzing and he wiped his hands then picked up the cell.  “Who’s that?” Brian asked.

 

“Eve” AJ replied as he started typing on the keyboard.

 

“So you two are buddy buddy again.” Brian scoffed and then turned to Nick. “Don’t even say it.”

 

“Wha” Nick mumbled with a mouth full of sub.

 

“I don’t know what we are right now.” AJ said sternly as he hit send on his phone.  “But trust me, when I find out you’ll be the first to know, so you can get your stones ready.”

 

“Let’s not fight guys, come on.” Howie sighed.

 

“Who’s fighting?” AJ said as his phone buzzed again.  “We’re going to be done by ten right?”

 

“Maybe” Brian said as AJ looked up at him.

 

“Yes” Howie said rolling his eyes.  “I need to get up early and meet Leigh at the airport.”

 

“Leigh’s coming?” Nick asked.

 

“Yeah, wedding stuff that can’t be discussed over the phone.” Howie said with a light smile.

 

“Cool” Nick nodded.

 

When they were done eating, he sent one last text to Eve and then got back to work.  As they talked and listened his mind would wonder to her.  He smiled as he thought about the others, how his mind wondered in a different direction but with Eve it always found it’s way to her.  His thoughts were broken when his phone buzzed and he looked at it confused.

 

“You should have stayed away.” The message said and he didn’t recognize the number.  His face fell in puzzlement and then he got a weird feeling. 

 

“H-hey guys can I take five?” AJ asked as he looked at them.

 

“Hurry.” Brian sighed.

 

AJ got up and walked out of the room, dialing Eve’s cell number.  “Eve?” AJ said when he heard someone pick up.

 

“Yeah?” She replied

 

“Is everything ok?” He asked.

 

“Yeah why?” Eve asked a little surprised by AJ’s sudden concern.

 

“When are you leaving the restaurant?” He asked.

 

“In an hour.” She told him. 

 

“Meet me here ok? I’ll tell the lobby you’re coming.”

 

“Are you sure?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” He replied. “Just call my phone when you get here, I’ll meet you.”

 

“Ok” She agreed.  “Is everything ok with you?” She asked.

 

“Yeah I’m good, just want to see you.” He said, deciding not to tell her about the text maybe it was nothing, and Mats and Thomas were still sitting snug in their cells.  They said goodbye and then he called down too the desk to tell them she would be coming.  AJ walked back inside the room and saved the message.  

 

“Everything ok?” Nick asked.

 

“Yeah, just letting the lobby know Eve will be showing up.”

 

“She’s coming here?” Brian asked.

 

“In an hour, we’ll almost be done by then.” AJ sighed.

 

“Yay, oh, is she bringing food?” Nick asked.

 

“I don’t know” AJ replied as he looked at the text message on his phone.

 

“Alex I hope you know what you’re doing.” Brian said and AJ looked up at him.

 

“What the fuck dude, I’m not going there with you, so not fucking going there with you.” AJ replied getting pissed.

 

“Yeah Bri what the hell is with the Holy Roller attitude.” Nick spoke up.

 

“It’s Eve, he’s always been like this.” AJ snapped.

 

“Yeah, can’t wait to hear what you Mother has to say about you two hooking back up.” Brian replied.

 

“Like I care what she thinks.” AJ mumbled.

 

“Enough, please.” Howie yelled over them as the two started bickering.  “We’re tired, we want to get home, let’s just do this shit and go.”

 

“Ooh you two got D swearing.” Nick lightly sang as he turned in his chair.  AJ sighed as he shook his head and sat back on the couch.

 

 

 

Chapter 7 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                Chapter Seven

 

 

His phone rang and it was Eve letting him know she was outside; he quickly excused himself and headed out of the studio.  He walked down the hall and opened the door to the lobby and saw her waiting by the desk.  She walked over to him and greeted him with a smile and a hug.  Feeling better now that she was here, he walked her back too the room.

 

Eve took a seat on the couch beside AJ and the guys got back to work.  When Nick was in the booth finishing up some of his parts AJ looked over at her as she sat watching and listening.  It was a little weird to see her sitting there.  After everything they had been through, the break up, and then not talking at all. He really thought she was out of his life for good and even though he hid it well from others, her not being around, even just to talk to ate away at him. 

 

“Alright let’s call it.” Brian sighed as he sat back in his chair.  “I can barely keep my eyes open.”

 

“Same” Nick yawned.  “So what time does your place open tomorrow?”

 

“Seven” Eve said with a smile as AJ held the door open for her.

 

“Nice, how’s the breakfast?” He asked.

 

“It sucks, it’s horrible just go to McDonalds.” She told him as he walked out of the door.  Howie snickered as Nick looked at her.  “The breakfast is just as good as the dinner.” She told him smiling.

 

“Why does everyone always gotta be smart.” Nick sighed.

 

“That’s funny coming from you.” AJ replied as he opened the glass door.

 

“Well then I’ll see you for breakfast.” Nick said with a wave.

 

“No ya won’t cause I don’t start till three.” She whispered to AJ and he chuckled.

 

“So” AJ said as they walked up to her car.  “My place or yours?” He asked.

 

“Doesn’t matter to me.” She replied with a shrug.

 

“Yours more privacy.” AJ said nodding to his friends.  Eve smiled as she unlocked the car doors and they both climbed in.

 

He looked out the window and watched all the sights of Nashville go by, his mind still some what distracted by the text he got earlier.  As he sat in the passenger seat looking at one of the old recording buildings, he felt her hand slide across his and he looked down at it, then at her.

 

“Are you ok?” She asked.  “You seem like you’re somewhere else.”

 

“Just tired.” He replied with a smile.  “Who would think singing could take so much out of you.”  She smiled at him as the light turned green and she started driving again.

 

When they walked into her house a few minutes later AJ looked around.  He didn’t get much time to look the night before; they went from her front door to her bedroom almost right away.

 

“Much better than the apartment huh?” She said with a light smile as she hung up her coat.

 

“The apartment was nice.” AJ told her.  “But yeah, this suits you more, but where’s the giant staircase and indoor pool.” He said jokingly.

 

“Please, I can barely make it to my bed when I come home from the restaurant let alone climb a staircase.” She sighed as she walked him into the living room.

 

“Ok but where’s the pool.” He replied jokingly.

 

“Maybe next year.” She laughed as she sat down on the couch beside him.

 

“I’m really glad we’re talking again.” AJ said as he gently drifted two fingers along her arm.  “Well ok more than talking.”

 

“Me too” She replied with a light smile and laugh.

 

“I’m sorry.” He said and she looked at him confused.

 

“I know Alex, I’m sorry too.” She replied with a sigh.

 

“Yeah but Eve you were scared I get that, I should have known.” He told her still letting his fingers drift.

 

“You can’t read my mind Alex.” Eve said with a light smile.

 

“But you do that when you get scared, when you panic.  When you left the tour because of Brian, that night at Kevin’s, whenever it got to bet too much for you, you ran away from us.”  He said as she looked away.  “I’m sorry for making you feel like you were some sort of play thing, it was never like that, I just wanted what we had back even if it was for a week or whatever.” He told her.  “Sorry for us not talking for the past two years because of someone like Kaci.”

 

“Well I have just as many faults in this as you do.” She told him as he watched his fingers skim up her arm.

 

“So” He said as he moved closer to her.  “We call it even and try again?” When she turned and looked at him, they were a feather width apart, and they locked eyes as his fingers drifted along her shoulder and down her neck.

 

“You want to try again?” She asked her voice in a whisper as he brushed his lips past hers.

 

He nodded, still not letting his lips touch hers, almost teasing her.  “I’ve missed you so much Evie.” AJ replied.  “I tried to hide it, turned what I was feeling into anger so it didn’t hurt anymore but it didn’t work, it just made it worse.”

 

“I know” She replied as he brushed his lips across her cheek.  He then let them drift back to hers and kissed her. 

 

“I’ve missed talking to you.” He said as he kissed her again.  “I’ve missed holding you.” He kissed her again.  “I’ve missed kissing you; miss the way you made me feel, the way you still make me feel.”  He kissed her again but this time it wasn’t a quick loving peck, this kiss was passionate and a little aggressive after the teasing he was doing to her and himself.  As their tongues flicked and tangled with each other, AJ slowly pushed her down onto the couch.  Pulling his lips away he sat up and his eyes drifted down her body.  His hands slid up her thighs, around her hips and began to unbuckle her jeans.  He pulled them off her and his eyes drifted back up.  Sitting up a little Eve pulled her shirt off and he unclipped her bra, tossing it to the floor.  Leaning over her he locked his eyes onto her as he began to gently rub her clit through her panties.  He lowered his head and softly pecked along her breasts as a small sigh of pleasure broke from her lips.

 

When he pulled her underwear off, she placed her hand on the side of his neck and she lightly gasped as he slid his first two fingers into her.  Slowly he slipped them in and out as her lower body rocked with them.  He watched the enjoyment on her face, as she bit down on her lower lip and moaned.  A small smile broke from his mouth as he moved down her body, lifted her leg and set it on his shoulder.  His tongue flicked at her clit and he softly sucked on it, still sliding his fingers in and out of her.  Her breathing started to get heavy; her lower body bucked as she started to hit her peak but he stopped and began to kiss back up her body.  When he reached her lips he looked at her, she looked back at him breathless and he softly smiled at her.

 

Pulling his shirt over his head, she placed both hands on the back of his neck and brought his lips to hers.  Her tongue pressed against his as their lips slightly opened and then closed.  Eve’s hands slid down his chest, his stomach, and then grabbed his jeans as she unbuckled them.  When they were off and on the floor, he pulled her leg behind him and slipped into her.  His left arm held his body over her, his free hand held her leg against him, and his leg rested on the ground.  He rocked his body against her, pushing himself deeper into her, and she arched her back as she moaned his name.  Letting go of her leg he slid his arm under her lower body and pulled it against him.  Gasping in pleasure as he felt her lower body tighten around him, and her legs pulled him against her.  He thrusted into her as she moaned hitting her climax, her nails slid down his back and the slight pain sent him into his.  He collapsed against her trembling as they both gasped for air.

 

“Holy cow Alex” Eve said breathless as he pushed himself up, hovering over her again.

 

“I told you I missed you.” He replied with a seductive smile.  She laughed exhausted as her hands slid up his back and around his neck.

 

“Well I missed you too.” She said as he slowly lowered his head.

 

“Yeah?” AJ whispered as he softly pecked his lips against hers and she leisurely nodded before he kissed her again.

Chapter 8 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                Chapter Eight

 

 

AJ’s eyes slowly opened as the smell of vanilla and peaches teased his nose.  His forehead rested against her neck as he woke up in her arms, still on the couch.  He didn’t want to get up so he pulled the blanket tighter around them and closed his eyes letting himself fall back asleep.

 

As Mats returned to his feet something caught AJ’s eye and he looked over to his right.  He saw the gun sitting by the chair leg on the floor.  Quickly AJ scrambled for it and grabbed it in his hands but a shoe came down on his fingers and he shouted in pain.  Grabbing Mats ankle AJ pulled as hard as he could with his free hand and took Mats legs out from under neither him.  He heard Mats shout in pain when the man hit the floor and AJ immediately jumped on top of him. 

 

“Asshole!” AJ shouted as he grabbed him by the shirt and picked him up, slamming him back down against the floor.  “You took her!” AJ shouted.  “You took her smile from me!” He yelled at Mats as his fist slammed into the man’s face over and over. 

 

AJ shouted in pain as he felt Mats fist slam into his side and it caused him to lose his breath and his grip.  It was enough for AJ’s former friend to get leverage on him and shove him to the floor.  He coughed as he tried to catch his breath and then he rolled onto his back.

 

“You’re a tease!” He heard Mats shout.  “You’re a fucking tease, you’re a whore and you deserved everything you got in that van!” Mats continued as AJ looked up as saw his former friend pointing the gun at Eve. 

 

“No” AJ coughed out as he reached for Mats pant leg.  Then he felt a kick to the face, his nose stung in pain, and then a loud bang echoed around the room.

 

“Alex!!”…

 

“No!” AJ called out as his body violently woke up.  He still laid in Eve’s arms, panting, sweating, and trying to grasp the nightmare.

 

“Alex.” Eve said as her hand rested on his upper arm.  He pulled away and looked at her.  “Nightmare?” She asked with a frown and he nodded catching his breath.

 

“I’m ok, just need a minute.” He replied.  They both sat up and she grabbed her shirt and put it on.

 

“I’ll get you some water.” She told him as she kissed him.

 

“Thanks” He replied as she got up from the couch.

 

AJ ran his fingers through his hair as he took a deep breath and relaxed a little, more aware it was just a nightmare.  A minute later Eve came out with a glass of water and handed it him as she sat down.

 

“Did you want to talk about it?” She asked.

 

“Naw, nothing you haven’t heard before.” He replied with a light smile.

 

“That night in my apartment or at the hotel?” She frowned.

 

“Apartment” He replied.

 

“You still have them too huh?” Eve said as she rested her head on his shoulder.

 

“Yeah” AJ sighed as he reached over and ran his fingers through her hair and rested his hand on her neck.  “It was hard waking up and you not being there, not being able to talk.

 

“I know” She replied. “When ever I went back to California I wanted to go see you.”

 

“When were you back?” He asked.

 

“I had Sean removed from the city part of the cemetery to some place much nicer.” She told him as she lifted her head.

 

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there.” AJ said with a frown, even if they weren’t together he would have been there for her.

 

“I’ve only been back once since then though, been really busy with the restaurant.” She told him.

 

“Well you’ve worked your ass off and it shows.” AJ told her as he kissed her on the forehead.

 

“So when are you going home?” She asked as he took a drink from the glass.

“Two days.” AJ told her as he put the glass down.  “But I could stay longer if you want me too.” She lightly smiled.  “Don’t start any recording back there till Monday.”

 

“And you could stay here.” Eve replied and it was his turn to smile.

 

He leaned in and kissed her. “Sounds good to me.”

 

“Are you feeling better?” She asked her hand rested on his neck.

 

“Much” He replied with a gentle smile.

 

The couple sat and talked for a little while long and then they both took a shower together.  When they were dressed Eve took AJ back to the hotel and this time she went up with him.  They stood in the elevator holding hands waiting to get to AJ’s floor.  When the doors opened they walked out into the hallway and saw Howie, Leigh, and Nick talking in the hallway.

 

“Hi Eve” Howie said when he saw the two coming down the hall.

 

“Hi Howie.” Eve smiled as he hugged her. 

 

“This is my fiancée Leigh.” Howie said as he introduced the girls.

 

“So how was the breakfast?” Eve asked Nick as she looked at him.

 

“Awesome.” Nick sighed and Eve smiled.

 

“I’m going to go get changed.” AJ said and they waved goodbye. 

 

When they went inside AJ walked over to his bag and started pulling out clothes as Eve sat down on the edge of the bed.  Just as he had finished getting dressed there was a knock at the door.

 

“What?” AJ said as he saw Brian on the other side.  “I talked to Kevin he’s having a get together, I’m suppose to invite you.”

 

“Sweet when?” AJ asked.

 

“Saturday.” Brian told him.

 

“Oh I’m not coming back till Sunday night.” AJ said.

 

“Why?” Brian asked.

 

“Because I’m staying to spend some time with Eve.” He said with a sigh not wanting to get into with Brian, especially with her on the bed.

 

“Well I’ll let him know.” Brian spoke his lips tense in anger.

 

“Please do I’m sure he’ll understand.” AJ said with a hint of sarcasm.

 

Brian rolled his eyes and walked away as he closed the door and walked over to the bed.  “As you can see he’s still an ass.” AJ sighed.  Eve lightly smiled as she took his hand.    He looked at her as her fingers tangled in his, her eyes fixated on their hands; AJ reached up and lightly placed his fingers under her chin and turned her head to face his.  Slowly he leaned in and kissed her.  His tongue lovingly flicked against hers as he let his fingers drift down her neck and then to the side.  A feeling of calm came over him, a calm he hadn’t felt in a long time and that’s all he wanted at that moment.  He pulled his lips away and opened his eyes, a smile broke from her lips and she pulled him into her arms.

 

AJ stood against his door as the elevator doors closed over and she was on her way down.  They just spent the last hour lying on the bed in each others arms and it didn’t matter that his world had been flipped upside down.  He went through his days pretending to hate her, pretending the memories of the house didn’t haunt him, and pretending he didn’t need her but now he was falling back in love with her, not that he ever fell out of love with her to begin with.

 

…“This place is amazing.” She said once the waiter left and she looked around.

 

“Yeah it’s one of the best in town.” AJ told her as he opened up his menu.

 

“I’ve never been to a restaurant that didn’t have ketchup already on the table.” Eve commented as she looked at him.  A smiled broke from his face and he started to laugh.

 

“Evie.” He chuckled with a smile.

 

“I’m serious.” She smiled back.  “You’re not going to go all Richard Gere on me tonight are you?” She asked.

 

“Richard Gere?” AJ said confused and then it hit him and he started laughing again.  “No I just wanted to take you out to a nice dinner, would you relax.”  He looked back at his menu and then quickly added.  “Besides your way hotter than Julia Roberts anyways.”…

 

 

“Hey” Nick said and it broke him from his thoughts.

 

“Hey” AJ replied looking at Nick with a smile as he laughed to himself about the memory.

 

“Where’s she going?” Nick asked.

 

“Work” AJ replied.  “What’s up?”

 

“Been a weird week huh?” Nick smiled.

 

“Pfft, fuck yes.” AJ said with a laugh.

 

“Brian says you’re staying till Sunday?” Nick asked.

 

“Yeah, going to check out later today and go stay with Eve for a lil bit.” AJ replied.

 

“That’s why he was so pissy.” Nick chuckled.

 

“I guess” AJ sighed.  “Wait till he goes to bitch to Kevin.” He smiled.

 

“To be a fly on the wall.” Nick joked as they headed over to Howie and got ready to leave to the studio.

 

 

Chapter 9 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                  Chapter Nine

 

 

            AJ sat in the studio as Howie and Brian bickered over a vocal track.  Nick looked bored out of his mind and started drumming on anything he could find.  He was stretched out on the leather couch, zoning in and out of the tiny argument.  His phone in his pocket started to vibrate so he shifted positions and pulled it out.  Not recognizing the number he was going to let the voice mail get it but then he thought against it and answered it.

 

“Hello?” AJ answered as he looked over to Brian and Howie.

 

“Hello is this Alex Mclean?” The woman on the other end asked.

 

“Yes it is” He replied puzzled.

 

“I’m a nurse down at the General Hospital; Ms. Deiu gave you as an emergency contact.” The woman told him and AJ shot up from the couch and it was enough of a distraction to stop both men from fighting and Nick from drumming. 

 

“What’s wrong i-is she ok?” He asked.

 

“She’s fine, there was an accident at the restaurant and she was one of the injured brought in.” The nurse said and AJ’s eyes almost bugged out of his head.

 

“One of the injured what do you mean?” AJ asked as Nick started bugging him about what was going on.

 

“If you come to the hospital we can fill you in more.” She told him.

 

“I’ll be right there.” AJ said quickly and then cut off his cell without saying goodbye.

 

“What’s going on?” Nick asked.

 

“It’s Eve I gotta go.” AJ said as he headed to the door.

 

“Dude, what’s wrong?” Nick asked again as he followed him out.

 

“I dunno, the nurse said something about an accident at the restaurant and she was one of the people brought in.” AJ told him as they both dashed down the hall.

 

“I’ll call a cab.” Nick said as he grabbed his phone.

 

“It’ll be faster to flag one.” AJ said as they both dashed out the door.  He ran to the sidewalk and looked around watching the cars go by looking for the familiar cab colours.  As Nick joined him by the street AJ saw a cab approaching and started waving his arms.  To his relief the cab pulled over and the window rolled down.

 

“Can you take us to Nashville General?” AJ asked and the cabbie nodded. Both he and Nick got into the car and it rolled away from the curb.

 

When they got there AJ paid the man and then ran into the emergency room.  He walked up to the admissions desk.  “I’m looking for Eve Deiu she was brought into emergency.”

 

“One moment please.” The woman behind the desk said.  She typed something into the computer and AJ waited impatiently.

 

“She’s still in the ER, go to that desk there.” The woman said pointing down the hall.

 

“Thanks.” AJ said quickly as him and Nick left. 

 

He repeated the same thing to the woman behind this desk and waited again as she looked up the information.  Then she stood up.  “This way.”  They followed her down the hall and walked behind two huge ER doors.  AJ walked past a couple of rooms that already had people in them and then the nurse stopped.

 

“She’s in there.” She told him and AJ nodded.  For the first time since he found out he hesitated before walking into the room.  When he walked in he saw her sitting on the edge of the bed in a full hospital gown.

 

“Eve?” AJ said his voice a little dry.  She turned around and looked at him, her hair had dried blood in it and a bandage over her head.  “Are you ok?” He asked as he walked up to her.  Before she could answer he wrapped her in his arms and she started to quietly cry.

 

“I’m ok” She told him.

 

“What happened?” He asked as they hesitantly pulled away.

 

“I don’t know really.” Eve said.  “I was working in the kitchen and then there was an explosion…”

 

“An Explosion!” AJ gasped shocked.

 

“I guess I hit my head and it knocked me out.” She told him.  “Fire crew pulled a couple of us out of the kitchen.”

 

“How bad is it?” Nick asked and Eve looked up at him.

 

“No one died thank god but the kitchen is gone, the dinning area is a mess from smoke damage and water and...” She sighed.

 

“Evie.” AJ said sadly.

 

“I’m just glad everyone’s going to be ok.” She said before she started crying again.  He pulled her into his arms and looked at Nick.

 

“I’ll call Brian and Howie.” Nick said nodding to the door.  AJ nodded back at him and his friend left the room.

 

About five minutes later the doctor came in and said as long as she had someone who would be there all night she could go home.  The nurse gave her a scrub suit to wear home since her clothes were basically trash.  When she was ready they met Nick in the waiting room and AJ saw Brian and Howie had both shown up.

 

“I can drive you guys home.” Brian said as AJ looked at him.

 

“Thanks.” AJ replied as he took Eve by the waist and they headed out of the hospital. 

 

Eve unlocked the door to her house and walked in; she hung her keys up and walked down the hall to the back of the house and into her room.  AJ followed her and watched as she crawled onto her bed and laid down.  He stood there for a minute and watched her and then walked over.

 

“Want me to run you a bath?” He asked as he knelt down beside the edge, resting his arms on the sheets.

 

“Please” She replied with a light nod.  He smiled softly at her and got back up. 

 

Sitting on the edge of the bath he ran the water and sat there making sure it was the right temperature.  When there was enough water he shut the taps off and walked back into her room.  She got up and walked over to the room.

 

“Join me?” She asked when she stopped in front of him.

 

“Anything you want.” He told her with a loving smile as he took her hand.

 

They undressed and climbed into the bath.  He helped wash her back and shoulders and gave her a relaxing message.  As he rinsed the bubbles from her shoulder he softly pressed his lips to her soft wet skin.  Her head tilted as she looked at him.  Her hair clipped up, the bandage on her head and it made him frown.  He hated seeing her hurt, whether it be inside our out, and he wished he could just make it go away, bring back her restaurant and get her to smile again.

 

“It’ll be ok Evelyn.” AJ whispered as he held her.  “They’ll find out what happen and you can rebuild.” He told her.

 

“I know” She sighed as her head rested against his.

 

“I’m just glad you’re ok, I was freaking out.” He said as his arms wrapped around her stomach and she leaned back against him.  “How did they know to call me?” He asked after a moment of silence.

 

“I don’t have anyone on my emergency contact list so they came in and asked me and I told them to call you.” She said as he kissed the base of her neck.  When she said that he looked at her, he kind of forgot how alone she was.  A mother in jail, a Father who ran away, a brother who was dead, and then there was him, who disappeared from her life after one phone call.  “Well you put me back on because I’m not going anywhere ever again.” He said as he gently kissed behind her ear.

 

“Promise?” She asked her voice soft and quiet.

 

He pulled her closer and held her tight.  “I promise.” They sat silent, holding each other for a little while longer, and then AJ spoke up.  “How about we get you into some PJ’s and into your bed.” He said as his fingers tangled through hers. 

 

“Sounds good.” She replied with a light smile.  The couple climbed out of the bath and wrapped each other in some towels.  AJ pulled the blankets down as Eve changed into a tank top and cotton PJ bottoms.  She crawled into bed as AJ held the covers up for her, and he let her cuddle against him, lying down on the pillows.  Her forehead rested against her neck, her hand resting against her chest, and her legs wrapped around his.  He stroked her hair with his fingers and held her as she drifted off to sleep.  A small feeling of guilt came over him, how could he forget, how could he forget he was the only one in her life, how she had no one and he just shut her out.  His mind wondered as thoughts of her at Sean’s grave, her up all night with plans for her restaurant, standing outside as the doors opened for the first time and no one was there to celebrate with her.  No one there to say “good job sweetheart, I’m proud of you.”  He frowned as he wrapped his arms around her a little tighter and closed his eyes, drifting off to sleep.

Chapter 10 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                  Chapter Ten

 

 

            AJ rolled over and when he did the sun shone right in his eyes.  He lifted his arm and moaned in displeasure at being woken up like that.  As he rolled on his back he made a mental note to try and talk Eve into getting darker curtains.  Then he sat up when he remembered what happened the night before.  He looked over beside him and didn’t see her.  As he looked around the room he heard a voice coming from outside of the bedroom door.  Aj climbed out of the bed and realized he had fallen asleep with the towel on.  He grabbed his jeans, put them on and then walked out of the bedroom.

 

“I don’t understand…” He heard Eve say as he got closer to the living room.  “Everything there is brand new?”  AJ stopped at the door as he saw her talking on her cell sitting on the couch.  “They think it was cut? Who the hell would cut my gas line?!”

 

AJ’s face fell in puzzlement and then he looked down at his pocket, his phone still sitting inside.  The text message flashed in his head.  “You should have stayed away.”  The sound of her grunting and tossing her phone down onto the table made him look away.

 

“Everything ok?” He asked as he walked into the living room.

 

“No” Eve sighed as she pulled her hair off her shoulders.  “That was my Manager he talked to the Fire Chief and they’re saying someone cut the gas line.”

 

“Purposely?” AJ asked although he knew it was a dumb question.

 

“I don’t understand.” Eve said confused.  “I mean Mats and Thomas are still in jail right?”

 

“Yes Eve.” AJ nodded as he put his hand on his back.

 

“Who would do this?” She asked as she looked at him.

 

“I don’t know.” AJ sighed as he thought about the text message.  He wondered if he should tell her, was it worth worrying her.

 

“I need to go get dressed and go down there.” She said as she stood up.

 

“I’ll go with you.” AJ said as he followed her.

 

She stopped in the hallway.  “Don’t you have to be at the studio?”

 

“I can be late; I want to be there with you.” AJ said as he took her hand.  She lightly smiled back at him.  “Come on let’s get ready.”

 

Aj sat in the back of the cab with Eve, her car was still at the restaurant and they were on their way there.  He held his cell phone to his ear and waited for Nick to pick up on the other end.  Looking over at Eve as he waited, he frowned when he saw her staring out the window.

 

“Hey man how’s it going, how’s Eve?”  Nick asked.

 

“She’s doing ok, I just called to let you know I’ll meet you guys at the studio, I’m going with Eve to the restaurant.”  AJ told him as he kept his eyes on Eve.

 

“Ok cool I’ll let them know.” Nick replied as the cab stopped.

 

“Thanks man, I’ll see ya later.” AJ said as he got ready to hang up and Eve paid the driver

 

“Take care of that girl of yours.” Nick replied.

 

“That’s the plan.” AJ said before the two said goodbye and hung up.  AJ got out of the cab as Eve closed the door and looked at the building in front of him. 

 

The windows were now bordered up with plywood.  It looked nothing like it did the first time he saw it.  He looked over at Eve as she stood there staring.  The cab pulled away and he walked over to her, his arm wrapped around her waist and she looked at him, tears dripping from her eyes.  He kissed her forehead and hugged her.

 

“Eve?” A man said from beside them and they pulled away.

 

“Ken, hi.” Eve said as she looked at the building again.

 

“The Fire Chief’s inside.” He said.

 

“Are we allowed going in?” She asked.

 

“Just into the dinning area, kitchen is not safe.”

 

Eve sighed as she started walking towards the front doors and AJ followed.  She opened them up and he followed her in, no lights on, just some spotlights that the fire department was using during their search.

 

AJ looked around and the place made him feel sick.  The smell of burnt wood, metal and something else maybe gas, made the air stale.  The carpets were soaked with water and a white residue from the foam the fire department uses. He looked over at the large window that separated the kitchen from the dinning room, the stainless steel appliances were scorched black and it spread up the front to the wall on the dinning side.  AJ’s heart and stomach twisted when he realized that’s where Eve was.

 

“Ms. Deiu.” A man said as he approached them and AJ looked over at him.  “I’m the Fire Marshall; can I have a word with you over there?” The man asked and Eve nodded.  He watched as Eve walked away, she held her classic style leather jacket around her, and he wondered what she was feeling right now.

 

“They got her and two other cooks out just in time.” The man who met them outside said and AJ looked at him.  What did Eve call him, Ken?

 

“Just in time?” AJ asked confused.

 

“The reason why the kitchen is messed up, there was a back draft and the firefighters pulled Eve and two others out seconds before it hit.”  Ken said as AJ looked at her.  “I can’t believe someone would do this to her.”

 

“Was it deliberate?” AJ asked.

 

“Looks like it, that’s why he’s talking to her, protocol to investigate her, make sure it’s not an insurance scam.” Ken told him.

 

He looked over when he saw her approaching, he reached out and she took his hand.  “I’m going to go see what I can get out of my office and I need to talk to the insurance guy, so you might as well go for now.” She told him.

 

“Are you sure?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, you’ve got work to do, take my car; I can cab it home when I’m done.” She told him as she pulled out her keys.

 

“If you need me call ok?” He said as she hugged him.

 

“Ok.” She replied as she held him a little tighter.  “I’ll see you when you get home.”  They kissed and as he walked out of the restaurant he thought about her words and how they sounded.  He looked at her car, no bad damage just some scratches and nicks from glass.  Climbing in he put the keys into the ignition and started it up. 

 

Fifteen minutes later he arrived at the studio, he parked beside Brian’s rental and headed into the building.  The light was on outside the door but he didn’t care and walked in anyways, quietly.  Everything stopped when they saw him walk in.   Howie and Nick at the sound board, Brian sitting in the calm atmosphere of the microphone room.

 

“Hey, how is she?” Howie asked.

 

“Ok, I think, she’s still kind of taking it in.” AJ said as he sat down.

 

“What about the restaurant?” Nick asked as Brian walked out of the booth.

 

“Kitchen is toast, dinning area is water logged, and she was two seconds away from being killed.” AJ blurted out.

 

“What?” Nick and Howie said shocked.

 

“This guy, I think he’s the Manager, he told me that the Firefighters pulled her and some others out of the kitchen just before it got hit with a back draft, if she had been in there when it hit…” AJ’s voice trailed off.

 

“Damn dude.” Nick sighed sadly.

 

“Do they know what happened?” Brian asked.

 

“Someone cut the gas line.” AJ said with a hint of anger.

 

“Someone?” The other guys said together.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied. “And it can’t be Mats or Thomas, I don’t understand.”

 

“Maybe it was someone she fired.” Nick said.

 

“Yeah disgruntle employee.” Howie shrugged.

 

“Maybe.” AJ replied with a light shrug.

 

“Do you need a ride back to the hotel…or to Eve’s when we’re done?” Brian asked.

 

“No, I have Eve’s car, she wasn’t sure how long she was going to be so she said she’ll cab it and let me take her car from the restaurant.” AJ told him.  “Anyways lets get going, cause the sooner I can get out of here the sooner I can get home to her.”

           

           

Chapter 11 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                              Chapter Eleven

 

 

            AJ pulled up to Eve’s house at around eleven at night.  He walked up to the door and knocked once before walking in.  The hallway light was on but nothing else he could see.  Closing the door behind him he locked it and hung her keys up.  He took off his shoes and then walked into the house towards the living room.

 

“Eve?” He called out wondering if she was sleeping.

 

“In here” He heard her say from the living room.  When he walked in he saw her lying on the couch, wrapped in the blanket.  She sat up giving him room to sit down and he took her hand right away.

 

“What did they say?” He asked.

 

“Well they think it was me.” She mumbled.

 

“I’m sure they don’t it’s just protocol, they have to look into it.” AJ said as he placed his free hand over hers.

 

“I’ve racked my brain all day; I just don’t know what happened, who could do this.” Eve sighed as she put her head in her hands.

 

AJ wrapped her in his arms.  “I dunno Evie but they’ll find out.”

 

“It’s all gone.” She told him as she started to cry.  “Everything I worked for is gone.”

 

“It’s not gone Eve, you can rebuild and start over.” He told her and she pulled away with a sigh.

 

“I’m tired of starting over, I started over when I was fifteen, I started over when I met you, when I lost you, and I’m just so tired of it.” She said as she wiped her eyes and tried to calm her tears.  “Is it me, do I attract this kind of stuff?”

 

“No sweetheart it’s not you.” AJ said as he turned her to look at him.  “Maybe they’re tests to see how strong you are, maybe it’s all just one big sucky coincidence, I don’t know but I do know what kind of woman you are.” He told her.  “I’ve seen you come through far worse things than this.” AJ said as his mind flashed back to her the night she was taken by Mats and Thomas.  He cupped his hand on her cheek and she looked at him.  “I know you put your heart and soul into that place and it feels like it’s been ripped out but everything in there can be replaced, you can’t be.”

 

She closed her eyes and a tear fell, he wiped it away with his thumb.  “I’m so glad you’re here, I don’t know how I would be if I had to do this without you.” Eve said when she opened her eyes and looked at him.  AJ lightly smiled and pulled her into a hug.

 

“Maybe it was fate then, fate that Nick had dinner at the restaurant that night, fate brought us back together and we’ll get through this, we’ll get you through this.” He told her as she slipped her arms around him and rested her head on his shoulder. 

 

AJ held her as they say quietly in the dark of the living room.  He wasn’t sure how long they had been sitting there when she finally pulled away.  “Are you hungry, I can make you something?” She asked as she wiped her eyes.

 

“A little.” AJ nodded as she stood up, she reached for his hand and he took it and then followed her across the hall into the kitchen.  He sat on the counter watching her as she pulled some things together and began making him something to eat.

 

“So how is the recording coming?” Eve asked as she tossed some cheese into a melting pot.

 

“Good, we’re done, well out here anyways; we still have a couple more producers to work with back in Cali.” He told her.

 

“How is it going without Kevin?” She asked as she grabbed a bowl.

 

“Weird.” AJ replied with a sigh.  “I will admit things are more relaxed but some times that’s not a good thing.”

 

“How have you been?” She asked as started to mix the noodles with the cheese.

 

“Fine.” AJ said looking at her a little confused. “Why?”

 

“Well I just know how close you were with him, probably closer with him than with the others.” She said as she handed him a bowl of homemade Mac and cheese.

 

“I dunno.” AJ shrugged as he picked up his fork.  “I get why he left but at the same time, I’m kind of mad he did.”

 

“Why?” She asked as she sat on the counter next to him.

 

“Well Brian had Baylee and we toured and I know Kris is worried about the fans cause even now Baylee has My Space pages pop up but I dunno, he was the last one I thought would leave.”

 

“You know he left the group not your friendship right?” Eve said as he started to eat.

 

He nodded.  “I know.” He waited a minute and thought about what to say next.  “I dunno, I think about everything he said to me that night in Boston and then I think about him leaving, I know he didn’t give up on me but I still can’t help but feel that way.”

 

“Cause of your Dad?” Eve asked and he looked at her.

 

“Yeah, it’s a bad habit.” AJ sighed.  “And before you ask, no I haven’t heard from my father.” He said quickly before he added another spoonful into his mouth.  “You make great Mac and Cheese.” AJ smiled at her.

 

“Thanks.” She smiled back.  “How’s your Mom?”

 

“Ah” AJ said as he stopped the fork half way to his mouth.  “She’s…good.” He then quickly filled his mouth with the macaroni.

 

“Really” Eve said and AJ didn’t even have to look at her to know what that tone meant.  She’s was on to him. 

 

“Well we really haven’t gotten along all that great since you went to Europe.” AJ said as he put his bowl down beside him.

 

“Really” Eve repeated.

 

“It wasn’t all because of that though, I mean I told you about how I felt when she got married, and then everything went to hell with Kaci, it’s been a lot of things that’s kind of pushed us apart.” AJ told her.  “But like I told her I can’t help that I have resentment towards her because of how she treated you, both her and Brian.”

 

“They were worried about you.” Eve said as she took his hand.

 

“Back then sure, I get that but now.” He sighed.

 

“Now?” Eve said confused.

 

AJ sighed and looked at their hands.  “He’s been asking me all kinds of questions, what’s going on? Why are we so close all of a sudden after not talking for like two years, what it means and it’s really getting on my nerves.”

 

“I see” Eve nodded.  “And does your Mom know we’re talking again?”

 

“Nope, haven’t talked to her in a couple of weeks.” AJ said as he picked up his bowl of food.  “I’ll call her tomorrow cause she’s expecting me to go home after we’re done here.”

 

The two sat quietly as AJ finished his bowl of homemade Mac and Cheese, when he was finished he jumped down from the counter and put his bowl in the sink and then turned to Eve.

 

AJ put his hands on her shoulders. “Don’t worry we go through these things.”

 

“I’m not; trust me I have more important things to worry about than your Mom and Brian and how they feel about us.” Eve said with a light smile.  AJ smiled back and then to Eve’s shocked picked her up from the counter.  “What are you doing?” She asked with a laugh.

 

“Going to bed.” AJ told her as he walked her out of the kitchen.

Chapter 12 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                              Chapter Twelve

 

 

            AJ sat in the cold marble hallway outside of an office.  He stared at the plaque on the door that read “Detective A. Ozwith” and waited for the officer to come out and greet him.  After Eve had fallen asleep he found himself up all night thinking about the text message and even when he decided to tell the Detective about it, it still bothered him.  Maybe he should have said something, and then she would have been on alert.  Maybe he should have told the police sooner but he didn’t want her to worry if it was just an accident but it was apparent now, this was no accident.  He wondered with some anger if it was Mats or Thomas, perhaps they have someone on the outside, someone following her but the thought of that just made his anger worse. 

 

“Mr. Mclean?” A woman’s voice said and he looked up.  “My name is Detective Allison Ozwith, you wanted to see me about the fire at Garden of Eden?”

 

“Ah yeah, yes.” AJ said nodding quickly as he shook her hand. 

 

“This way please.” She replied as she pointed to her office door which was now open.  AJ walked into the room and looked around.  Frames holding awards and certificates, pictures lined some of the shelves along with books.  He sat down in front of her desk as she walked around to her chair.

 

“So what can I do for you?” The Detective asked.

 

“A day before the explosion happened at the restaurant I received a text message from someone I didn’t know.  I wasn’t sure what it meant but then the fire happened.”

 

“What did it say?” She asked.

 

“It said I should have stayed away, I saved everything, so if you need my phone.” He said as he set it on the desk.

 

“Stay away?” The Detective said confused.

 

“It still confuses me a little because Eve and I have just started talking again recently, we knew each other a few years ago before she went to Europe.” AJ explained.  “When I got it I thought for a second it could have been Mats or Thomas…”

 

“The men who kidnapped her.” Detective Ozwith said as she flipped a page of the file in front of her.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied.  “I know they’re in jail but do you think they could have someone on the outside?”

 

“We have made contact with the penitentiary they are staying in and we will be getting a list of their visitors, I will need to take your phone for a little bit, with your permission we can see if we can trace the number, perhaps it will match up with someone on the jail list.” She said as she picked up the phone from where AJ put it down.  “I can get it back to you in a couple of days.”

 

“Ok” AJ nodded.

 

“It says in the report that Mats was more about revenge against you.” She said as they both stood up.

 

“That’s what he said, he loved Eve but hated me so much he’d hurt her just to get at me.” AJ said.

 

“Then it makes sense these would happen after you two started talking again.” She told him as they walked to the door.

 

“Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of.” AJ sighed.

 

“Thank you for this and I will let you know if anything new arrives.” She told him as the office door opened.  They said goodbye and AJ walked out.  Great, now he had to tell everyone his phone would be out of order, he would have to tell them why it was out of order and fighting with people who think they know best was not on his list of things to do.

 

He called a cab from the pay phone outside and had a cigarette as he waited for it to pick him up.  When he got in he thought about going back to Eve’s and telling her where he was.  Would she be pissed he didn’t’ tell her right away? Would it freak her out knowing perhaps Mats was up to his old tricks again? He sighed as he looked out the window at the blurry buildings going by. 

 

AJ laid his jacket down on the sand and took Eve’s hand as they both sat down.  He told her earlier she looked stunning in the dress but how she looked now, under the moon as it reflected off of the ocean, made his heart skip and his breath flutter away.  He reached up and brushed his fingers softly down the side of her neck.  She looked at him as he leaned closer to her and then gently kissed her shoulder.

 

“Are you cold?” He asked.

 

“No, I’m good.” She replied with a light smile.  “It’s beautiful out here.”

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “I always liked coming here, after school when I would get picked on or after a fight with my Dad, it was just a nice place to come and think, especially since it’s a part of the beach that doesn’t get used much at night.” He said as he tossed a stone to the water.

 

“So was this your big make out place?” Eve asked with a smile as she jokingly nudged him.

 

“No” AJ replied with a light smile.  “Girls wouldn’t be caught dead with me back in High School, and then when I became a Backstreet Boy I never had the time to date like this.” He said as he looked at her.  “So you’re the first, besides the girls I dated back then would have just bitched about the sand.”

 

“Well I’m not complaining.” Eve replied with a light smile.

 

“Good, I want you to have an amazing time because you deserve it.” He smiled.

 

“I do, do I?” Eve replied with a grin.

 

“Yes” AJ nodded as his eyes locked on hers.  “You’ve given me something I’ve never had before.” She looked at him confused.  “Certainty.” He told her as he took her hands.  “I know, no matter what happens in the future you will be there for me, you will not judge me, you’ll always want what’s best for me, even if it means hurting yourself and I want you to know you have the same with me.”  She let go of his hands and placed them on the side of his neck, then she leaned in and gently kissed him.  AJ slipped his hands around her waist as their tongues began to explore. 

 

“I love you.” She whispered as they pulled away.

 

“I love you too.” AJ replied as he quickly kissed her again.

 

He looked down the road and saw Eve’s house in the distance and began to dig for his wallet as they rolled up to the house.  Paying the cabby AJ got out of the car and headed up the drive way, he was about to give the door a light knock when it flew open before him.

 

“Hi” AJ said looking at Eve.

 

“I just got a call from the Detective.” Eve said looking at him.

 

“Oh?” AJ said noticing she looked a little mad.

 

“Do you have something to tell me?” She replied staring at him.

 

“I didn’t want you to worry.” AJ said as they stood at the front door.  “I got it even before all that stuff with the restaurant happened.”

 

“And what, Mats and Thomas wasn’t enough to tell me?” She asked as she stepped away and let him in.

 

“I wasn’t sure what it was, or what it meant Eve, I didn’t want to scare you.” AJ said as he followed her into the house.  “But than all that stuff happened with the restaurant and I realized it could be more, I was up all night last night thinking about it and left this morning to go talk to her.”

 

“You didn’t think it was weird to get a message like that two days after we started talking again?” She asked as she turned to him in the hall.  “Nothing in you made you think about Mats and Thomas?”

 

“They’re in jail Eve.” AJ replied.  “I didn’t think…”

 

“Like you didn’t think Thomas would be in Florida.” Eve snapped.  The words struck AJ in the heart like a knife.  Even when he tried to hate her after Kaci he couldn’t help but feel guilty that he let her go to that ice room alone.  He stared at her, he wanted to leave, right now, just bail the hell out of her house and leave her in the dust but he couldn’t something wasn’t letting him turn around.  Then she started to head into the living room.

 

“That’s not fair.” AJ said to her as he grabbed her by the arm

 

“I know and I’m sorry, I’m just not all here.” She said as he saw her eyes start to tear up.  “I’m sorry.”  He frowned pulling her into his arms and held her as she started crying.  “Tell me it’s going to be ok, tell me they’re not going to hurt me again.” Eve cried.

 

AJ pulled her away and looked at her.  “They’re not going to hurt you again, the police will get to the bottom of it.”  Eve pulled herself back into his arms and he wrapped them around her back.  He wanted to tell her he’d protect her but the last time he promised her that she almost died. 

Chapter 13 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                              Chapter Thirteen

 

 

            AJ sat on Eve’s couch with the dark blue cordless receiver to his ear; he waited as the phone rang.  He picked at his nails as another ring went by and then stopped when he heard someone pick up.

 

“Hello?” Denise said on the other end.

 

“Hey Ma” AJ said preparing himself.

 

“You’re still in Nashville?” She asked.  “The number isn’t California.”

 

“Yeah I’m still in Nashville.” He replied almost stalling.

 

“Who’s the girl” Denise sighed.

 

“Mom” AJ replied rolling his eyes.

 

“You know what I’m just happy it’s not someone from California.” She said quickly and he sighed but knew she was right.

 

“It’s Eve actually.” AJ replied almost a little snide.

 

“Eve? What is she doing there?” Denise asked.

 

“Running her own restaurant.” AJ replied with a small smile.

 

“Really” Denise said and AJ heard the shock.

 

“Yep” He nodded.  “But something’s come up and she needs me out here for a bit.”

 

“Wait I thought you didn’t want to talk to her?” His Mom asked.

 

“We’ve had some time to talk and fix some things.”

 

“I see” She said and he could see her reaction without even seeing her.  “Is this the hotel number?”

 

“No, this is the number to Eve’s house, if you need me I’ll be here and you’ll have to call here because my phone is out of service for a couple of days.”

 

“How come?” She asked.

 

“There’s a chance Mats has had someone watching Eve for him and now that I am back in her life, he apparently isn’t happy about it.” AJ told her.

 

“What happened?” Denise asked worried.

 

“I got a text telling me I should have stayed away and then someone cut the gas line to the restaurant which caused an explosion.”

 

“Alex” Denise said quickly.

 

“I wasn’t there; I was at the studio with the guys.” AJ reassured her.  “But Eve was in the kitchen cooking, the explosion caused her to hit her head and the fire crew got her and some others out just before a back draft hit which engulfed the entire kitchen.”

 

“And they think it was Mats?” Denise asked.

 

“It’s just a lead right now, we’ll know more in a couple of days.” AJ told her.

 

“Alex.” Denise sighed.

 

“I know you’re worried but don’t be, I’m fine.” He reassured her but he knew they were empty words to her.

 

“So what does this mean for the two of you, since you’re staying with her?” Denise asked and AJ could hear the wariness in her voice.

 

“We realized we both hurt each other with decisions we made in the past and we both agreed we still care for each other very much so we want to try again.” AJ told her.  “And this time I would like a little support from you.”

 

“Me?” Denise replied a little shocked.

 

“Yes, you.” AJ said quickly.  “The past is in the past; she’s obviously worked hard and made something with her life, so I don’t want to hear about her dancing anymore, ok?”

 

“Alright” His Mother sighed. “I just don’t know why she is so damn important to you, for the past two years you’ve been absolutely miserable, I thought you might have started drinking again.”

 

“Ma” AJ replied a little frustrated.

 

“But then I caught you looking at a picture of the two of you, when I was visiting last year, I saw why you were so unhappy.” She told him.  “I don’t know what you see in her but obviously I’m not looking, so, if you’re happy then, I am too.”

 

AJ sat there a little stunned this wasn’t really the reaction he was expecting but he’d take it.  “Thanks Mom.” AJ replied with a light smile.

 

“So where is she now?” Denise asked.

 

“Sleeping” He said as he looked out of the living room doorway to the hall.  “We have to meet the insurance people in a couple of hours.”

 

“How bad was the damage?” She asked.

 

“Kitchen needs to be completely redone, the roof is gone, the basement well I’m surprised the building is still holding, and the dinning area is just as bad, what isn’t covered in soot, is drenched in water and that foam shit.”

 

“Oh sweetheart.” Denise sighed sadly.

 

“She’s ok, even though it was really close, she’s ok but the restaurant needs to be rebuilt most likely.” AJ told her.  “Probably find out the foundation damage today.”

 

“How long has she been out there?” His Mom asked.

 

“Almost a year, the restaurant has been up and running for about eight months and it was booming, every time we went to eat after or before we hit the studio, it was packed.” He said as he heard a door open down the hallway.

 

“Well then that is to bad Alex, she’s obviously has worked very hard.” Denise told him as he saw Eve walk past the living room and heard her footsteps trail into the kitchen.

 

“She has Mom, like I always knew she would.” AJ replied.  “But I should get going, need to have a shower and something to eat before meeting the insurance guy.”

 

“Alright, well give me a call later, please.” Denise said as AJ got ready to hang up.

 

“I will, I’ll be fine.” AJ reassured her.  “I love you.”

 

“Love you too darling.” Denise replied before they both hung up.

 

He turned the phone off and set it down on the table before leaving the room.  AJ walked into the kitchen and saw Eve in her robe pouring a glass of juice. Walking up behind her he wrapped his arms around her but she didn’t react like he expected her too.  She jumped, dropping the glass of juice and it shattered on the floor.  AJ quickly let go and stepped back as he looked at her confused and worried.

 

“Eve, you ok?” He asked as she carefully stepped away from the pieces of glass.

 

“I-I’m fine.” She stuttered and he watched her fidget with her robe.  “I j-just need my pills.”

 

“Pills?” AJ said confused.  He looked back to the counter and saw the bottle sitting on the counter by the carton of juice.

 

“My Ativan.” She told him.  Carefully he grabbed another glass for her and filled it up, then handed her the bottle with the juice.  Kneeling down he began to pick up the pieces of the broken glass and put them in the garbage under the sink.  When it was clean enough he grabbed some paper towels and began to soak up the grape juice on the floor. 

 

“So what’s that for?” He asked nodding to the pill bottle.

 

“Panic attacks.” She said as she grabbed a stool and sat down.  “I started getting them while in New York.”

 

“How come?” He asked.

 

“Mostly stress, I tried meditation but that didn’t work so my doctor told me to take those.” She said as looked at the bottle.

 

“How come you never told me?” He asked.

 

“You weren’t around.” She replied.  “We had stopped talking by then.”

 

“Oh” AJ said as he dropped the towels into the garbage and stood up.

 

“They’re not as bad as they use to be, probably everything with the restaurant and Mats brought this one on.” She told him as she reached for his hand.  “Come lie down with me?” Eve asked as he took her hand.

 

“Sure” He smiled as she stood up.

 

Eve grabbed the bottle of Ativan and walked them to the bedroom; she put the pills on her dresser and crawled into bed as AJ crawled beside her.  He was expecting her to slip into his arms, instead she pulled him into hers and he wrapped his arm around her.  With his head rested between her neck and shoulder, he closed his eyes as the sent of her shampoo drifted past his nose. A smell he often wished for when he lied alone in his room. 

 

“Did you call your Mom yet?” She asked.

 

“Yeah I was talking to her when you came out of the bedroom.” He told her as he pulled his head away.  “And don’t worry she seems to be ok with everything.”

 

“Ok?” Eve replied unsure.

 

“Well she’s worried about Mats and Thomas but as far as we go, she didn’t really seem upset or mad.” He picked up a piece of her hair and twirled it in his fingers.  “How are you doing?”

 

“Better” She replied with a light sigh.  “Sorry if I scared you.”

 

“I snuck up on you and scared you.” AJ replied with a light laugh.  “I’m the one who’s sorry, I’ll try not to do that anymore.”

 

“No it’s ok, really.” She said as she placed her hand on his arm when his hand rested on the side of her neck.  “Like I said they don’t happen to often.”

 

“Did you wake up like that?” He asked as their foreheads rested together.

 

“Yeah had a dream about the fire and couldn’t shake it.” She said as her fingers tangled around his.  Then out of no where Eve’s bedroom door flew open and before AJ could react two men were on him pulling him to the ground.  He heard Eve scream and started to fight the men off but then a thick cotton cloth pressed hard against his mouth and nose, the smell made him gag as he began to feel dizzy.  He shouted for Eve but it just came out as a soft moan as his eyes rolled back and he passed out.

           

Chapter 14 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                             Chapter Fourteen

 

 

            “Mr. Mclean?” He heard a woman say in the distance and he opened his eyes.  Dark images stood around him, everything to blurry to make out any objects or faces.  Shaking his head he tried to push himself up but he felt the dizziness take over and he slumped back down with a moan.  “Mr. Mclean, are you hurt?” The woman asked.  “Do you smell chloroform?”

 

“Yes” He heard a man’s voice say and he opened his eyes again as he rolled over.

 

“Evelyn?” AJ mumbled wondering if it was her.

 

“No this is Detective Ozwith, are you hurt?” She asked him again.

 

“Where’s Eve?” AJ asked as he slowly sat up and then his memories started to stream in as his mind cleared up.  He remembered lying with her in the bed, remembered how calm he felt just before the door flew opened and the men rushed in.  “Where is she?” AJ asked as he tried to stand up quickly but grabbed the bed as he started to wobble.

 

“We don’t know your friends called 9-1-1 when they found you.” The Detective told him as he sat down.

 

“My friends?” AJ asked confused.

 

“They’re in the living room with the other officers.” She told him.  “They couldn’t wake you.”  AJ looked around the room; he looked over to Eve’s side of the bed.

 

“They took her.” AJ said looking at the woman quickly.  “They took her.”

 

“Who?” The Detective asked.

 

“I-I dunno, there were three men I think maybe more, they busted into the room and had me on the ground before I could do anything.” He told her as he started to feel the panic rise in him. “Why didn’t the alarm go off?”

 

“It looks like it was cut.” The Detective told him. 

 

He put his head in his hands and absorbed as much as he could, too much.  The feelings of helplessness crept through him at the thought of her being alone with whoever it was that had her. Anger filled him as it hit him what had happened, after the cob webs cleared, she was gone and he had no doubt that Mats was behind it.  Quickly AJ shot up from the bed and took off out of the room.

 

“Mr. Mclean please.” The Detective said as she tried to stop him.  “You need to have the EMT’s check you out.”

 

“Dude.” Brian said as he walked past the living room and kept going down the hall.

 

“Alex?” Nick called out to him.  “Where are you going?” He asked as AJ reached for the door.

 

AJ didn’t say anything as he walked through the open front door, grabbing Eve’s keys on the way out.  He stopped at her car door and fumbled through them as he looked for her car key.  House key, Restaurant key, safe key, and it made him grunt in frustration that he couldn’t find it fast enough.

 

“Dude” Nick said grabbing his arm.  “Where are you going?”

 

“I’m going to find her.” AJ mumbled as he found the key and stuck into the door lock.

 

“Oh, you’re going to find her.” Nick scoffed at him as he grabbed the door stopping it from opening.  “And how are you going to do that do you know where she is?”

 

“Mats does.” AJ yelled at his friend.

 

“Sure, so what you’re going to hop a plane, fly back and see Mats? You think he’s going to tell you?” Nick replied back ignoring his friend’s anger.

 

“Well what the fuck am I suppose to do!” AJ screamed at Nick as he shoved him away, his tears broke free and all his emotions burst out.  He turned away from his friends and started pacing, trying to calm himself as his hands began to shake, his knees began to buckle and he slumped to the ground.  “What am I suppose to do?” He asked again not really caring if he got an answer.

 

“Let’s go back inside man.” Howie said as him and Nick helped AJ up.  He let his friends lead him back into the house and he made his way into the living room sitting down on the couch.  He put his head in his hands and sighed, trying to bring his emotions together, trying to get himself to stop shaking.  A man walking in front of him with a lap top took his attention and he watched as the man walked over to the cordless charge box and began to fiddle with it.

 

“What are you doing?” AJ asked as Detective Ozwith walked into the room.

 

“Tapping her phone in case they call here for you.” She told him as AJ looked at her and then back to the officer. 

 

“What do I do if they call?” He asked as Nick sat down beside him.

 

“Just talk to them, find out what they want, find out if she’s ok.” Detective Ozwith told him.  He watched her walk over and start talking to another Detective, then looked at his friends.

 

“What are you guys doing here anyways?” AJ asked.

 

“We came to say goodbye before we all headed back to California.” Brian said.  “When we got here the door was opened, we found you out cold on the bedroom floor, and when we realized Eve wasn’t around we called the cops.”

 

“They’ll find her AJ” Howie said but they were empty words.  How could they find her, they didn’t even know who took her.  He didn’t even want to think if it turned out not to be Mats or Thomas.

 

AJ picked up the cordless phone and stared at it, he waited for it to ring, seconds went by, minutes went by, and then finally it rang.  AJ looked around the room everyone staring at him, waiting for him to pick it up.  He pushed the answer button and then put the receiver to his ear.

 

“Hello?” He said into the phone.

 

“Good, you’re awake.” The robotic voice said.

 

“Who is this?” AJ asked trying to mask his anger.  “Where’s Eve.”

 

“Now where’s the fun in telling you that?” The voice replied and AJ got angrier. 

 

“Where is she?” AJ asked again.

 

“Well if I stay on the phone any longer the police will know.” The voice told him and AJ looked up at Detective Ozwith who listened through a special phone hooked up to the laptop.  “So I’ll leave you with this.”

 

AJ waited through the silence.  “Hello?” AJ said wondering if the phone was cut off.

 

“Alex?” Eve’s shaky, crying voice broke across from the other end.

 

“Eve” AJ said quickly. “Evie are you ok?” He asked but as the words left his mouth the phone clicked dead.

 

“Did we get it?” Det. Ozwith asked the guy on the lap top.

 

“Not long enough but we might be able to narrow it down to the neighborhood.” He told her as he tapped away at the computer.

 

AJ stared at the phone, her voice echoing in his head.  “At least she’s still alive.” He thought. 

 

Slowly he looked around the room, his hands still shaking, his eyes still had tears waiting to fall and everyone around him talked.  The officers talked about who would stay behind with the Detectives, the Detectives talked about where the call came from, and his friends bickered about who was going back and who was staying with AJ.  He wanted them all to leave, this was her house and here they were running wires through it, sitting where they wanted, and poked in and out of things as they looked for clues.  This was her house, right now it was all he had and he wanted them too leave but he needed them; he needed them to find her.

 

He stood up from the couch still clutching the cordless in his hands and walked out of the living room away from the noise.  Opening the door to her bedroom he prayed no one was in here looking for evidence and as he walked in he was glad to see it empty.  Closing the door behind him he walked over to the bed and crawled in.  Lying on his back staring at the ceiling he cried quietly, not wanting the people walking by outside the door to hear him.  He felt scared, angry and helpless all at the same time.  He thought about her and what she was going through right now, were they hurting her or did they already hurt her. 

 

There was a knock at the bedroom door and he sat up.  He stared at it for a moment, maybe they would go away.  When they knocked again he quickly wiped his eyes and sat all the way up.

 

“Come in.” He shouted as he looked down at the phone on the bed.

 

“Hey” Brian said as he poked his head in.

 

“What?” AJ asked.

 

“Just came to see if you needed anything.” Brian asked as he walked into the room.

 

“No” AJ replied as he picked the phone up.

 

“Nick says he wants to stay, Howie and I would but…” AJ interrupted Brian.

 

“Its fine, you’ve got Leigh Anne and Baylee and Howie needs to get back to Leigh, its cool.” AJ replied shrugging it off.

 

“I called Kevin.” Brian said and AJ looked up at him.  “I talked to him the other night told him about you and Eve…” Brian paused.  “Reconnecting, he seemed pretty happy about it.” AJ couldn’t help but smile, did Brian really think he would have been pissed about it? “I just got off the phone with him so it’ll be a few hours but he’s grabbing the soonest flight and coming out here, I gave him the address if that’s ok.”

 

“Yeah, sure” AJ replied and it made him feel a little better.

 

“And he knows to call Nick’s cell in case he needs anything, keep this line clear.” Brian said.

 

“Shit” AJ sighed as he got up from the bed.

 

“What?” Brian asked confused.

 

“I need to call Ma before she calls again.” AJ told him as he walked around the bed.  “Can I borrow your phone?”  Brian agreed and handed him his phone.  AJ took a deep breath, what timing, he told her this morning everything would be fine, now he’s calling back telling her, her son was knocked unconscious and his girlfriend kidnapped.

           

Chapter 15 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                              Chapter Fifteen

 

            AJ held Eve in his arms as he walked into her room, thankful she lived in an apartment and the bedroom was down the hall. Her lips were soft and gentle on his neck, the buzz from the hit they took just moments before still rushed through him and the way she was making him feel made the sensation stronger.  He walked them over to her bed and laid her down as their lips drifted to each others.  For weeks now he sat at the club watching her, waking up from dreams wanting her, and now here she was under him, his for the taking.  By the way she pulled his shirt off he knew she wanted him too.  Her finger tips drifted down his chest and abs as he held himself up above her, kissing her. 

 

Then something jerked him off her and as he fell back, almost falling off the bed, he watched as Eve was pulled off the bed and across the bedroom floor. He hurried off the bed and dove for her, for a second he felt her fingers skim across his but he couldn’t grab them.  She was pulled into the hallway and the door slammed shut on him.  Getting to his feet he grabbed the knob and swung the door open, he ran out into the hallway but stopped dead.  In front of him was the hallway of Eve’s house and the front door was wide open.

 

“Alex!” He heard her scream again but he couldn’t see her anywhere.  Running down the hall AJ burst out of the front door and again stopped dead when he saw the vast sea of sand around him.  He turned around quickly and the house was gone, he turned back around and still nothing but sand.

 

“Eve!” AJ yelled as he spun around, there was nothing but sand and desert, no Eve anywhere.

 

“Eve!” AJ shouted as he sat up. He looked over to her side of the bed, empty.  Quickly he got up and ran out of the room, he rushed into the living room only to see the officers Detective Ozwith left here to monitor the calls.  They looked at him confused for a moment as he stared at them.

 

“Everything alright?” One of the officers asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied as looked away and turned to walk down the hallway but stopped when the door bell rang.  He looked back to the officers quickly and they were already standing up and heading to the window.  Slowly AJ walked over to the door and looked out the peep hole.

 

“Do you know him?” The officer asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ said with a light smile as he pulled back from the door, unlocking it before opening it.

 

“Hey man.” Kevin said as he saw AJ.  He stepped back and let Kevin into the house.  “Where’s Nick?”

 

“I think he crashed in Eve’s office, she has a futon in there.” AJ replied as he closed the door and locked it back up.

 

“What’s with them?” Kevin asked as the cops sat back down.

 

“They’re here to monitor the calls.” AJ told him.  “Come into the kitchen; just put your bags down.”

 

AJ walked over to the coffee maker and turned it on and then sat down at the table as Kevin joined him.  “So where do you want me to start?”

 

“How about how you went from ‘I don’t want to talk about her’ to Brian calling me because your back together with Eve.”

 

AJ began to tell him about going to the restaurant and what an ass he was, then he told him about him going back, apologizing to her and then what happened next.  AJ was surprised when his friend didn’t speak up about Rachel but he considered himself lucky and continued.  He told him about how they had talked about what lead them there and how they both made mistakes.

 

“I know me being so angry was because of her but everyone else thought I was drinking again so I just went with it.” AJ said with a shrug.  “I didn’t come out here to get back with her and despite what Brian and Nick think I didn’t bring Rachel out here to hurt Eve.”

 

“Then why did you bring her?” Kevin asked.

 

“I hoped it would take my mind off Eve, I didn’t want to see her because I figured it was over and if I saw her, it would just make it worse.” AJ told him.  “But you know me, I can’t leave well enough alone and I had to go see her.”

 

“And then make out with Rachel while in Eve’s restaurant?” He asked.

 

“Rachel started that.” AJ replied quickly.  “I dunno maybe I felt like I had too, she would know something was up.”

 

“So what lead to tonight?” Kevin asked as AJ stared at his soda can.  He took a deep breath and let it all out.  The text message, what happened at the restaurant and then what happened tonight.

 

“We’re not even sure it’s Mats yet.” AJ told him.  “And that scares me, what if it’s not him, who else could it be and would we find her.”

 

“They’re calling so they want something.” Kevin assured his friend.

 

“They’ve called once and cut the phone off as soon as I heard her.”

 

“What does the Detective say?”

 

“Ozwith? She thinks its Mats, she believes that’s why they haven’t called back, he wants me to stew a bit, worry, be scared, panic, and go fucking insane.” AJ said with frustration.  He let go of the can before he crushed it and rubbed his head. 

 

AJ looked at Kevin his eyes fell with worry.  “What if something happens, I wasted two years without her, fuck I wasted five years without her.”

 

“You can’t think about the bad, you gotta just stay strong and believe the police will find her.” His friend told him as he placed his hand on AJ’s arm.

 

AJ lightly smiled, it was nice having Kevin here, it made him feel a little better.  They sat around the table talking, AJ told him about how well Eve’s place was doing until the explosion.  They talked about the recording a little and other things as they both tried to keep AJ’s mind off the situation at hand, if only for a little while.  But then the phone rang and AJ shot up from his chair and ran into the bedroom.  He grabbed the phone from the bed and answered it.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Still awake?” The familiar voice asked.

 

“Yes” AJ replied as he walked out of the bedroom and down the hallway.  “I want to talk to Eve.”

 

“And what gives you the right the talk to Eve.” The person asked.

 

“I want to know she’s ok.” AJ replied with some frustration.

 

“She’s fine, we’re taking very good care of her.” The voice said and even though it was robotic he could hear the sarcastic tone.

 

“Please let me talk to her.” AJ said sounding almost a little defeated.

 

“No” The voice said and he found himself getting angry.  “But if you’re good you can see her.”

 

“What?” AJ said quickly.

 

“No time to explain come too the restaurant, I’d say alone but I’m not stupid but tell your friends not to do anything stupid, being stupid gets her killed.” The voice ended and then the line went dead.  AJ hung up the phone and set it down on the table by living room doorway and headed to the front door.

 

“Where are you going?” Kevin asked.

 

“To the restaurant, they want me to meet them there.” AJ said as he grabbed Eve’s keys.

 

“Alone?” Kevin asked.

 

“I’m not waiting for the cops; they said she’s going to be there so I’m going.” AJ told him as he opened the front door.

 

“Alex” Kevin said grabbing his friends arm.

 

“Let go!” AJ shouted and pulled away.  “Don’t stop me; they want me to go so I’m going.”  He turned away and headed right to Eve’s car in the drive way.  Quickly he unlocked the door and climbed in.  When the car was running he put it into reverse, peeled out of the driveway, and flew down the street.

 

When he got to the main road he slowed down, not wanting to get pulled over on the way there.  He fought through the frustration of hitting every red light and about twenty minutes later he was at the restaurant. When he pulled into the empty parking lot he didn’t see any cars parked out front and the place looked dead inside and out.

 

He got out of the car and closed the door, making his way to the front of the building.  His nerves started to over come him as he thought about what was inside.  When he pulled on the door he was surprised to see it open and made his way inside.  Letting his eyes adjust to the even darker room than the night sky out side he looked around.  Something near the bar made him concentrate over there.

 

“Hello?” He said half shouting.  No one answered and the shadow didn’t move.  Slowly he made his way over to the dark object, reaching out making sure he didn’t trip over anything.  Finally his eye started to adjust and he saw a person sitting on a chair by the bar.

 

“Eve” AJ said a little relieved but also scared.  She wasn’t moving and her head hung forward.  Quickly he made his way to her, stepping over debris and chairs.  When he got to her he knelt down and lifted her head up.  “Evelyn?” AJ said to her as he removed the gag around her mouth.  He placed his two fingers on the side of her neck, feeling for a pulse and he sighed when he found one.  “Evelyn, sweetheart wake up.”

 

“She’s out cold.” A voice echoed around the room and AJ stood up and spun around.  “Eve here couldn’t stay calm so she went for a little nap.”

 

“I swear when I find out where you’re hiding, you fucking coward!” AJ shouted as he continued to look around the room for any type of movement.

 

“Such big words for such a has been.” The voice said mockingly.  “The groups gone down hill, no one cares about you any more and you’ll never be nothing more than a fad, to be seen later on VH1.”

 

“Fuck you” AJ replied as he looked to where the voice last came from.  “At least I’m not playing call boy to some loser in lock up.” AJ snapped.

 

“You mean Mats?” The voice asked and then started to laugh.  “Mats was about revenge, me, I’m about getting rich, and quick.” 

 

AJ’s face fell in confusion until something jumped at him from his right.  He fell to the floor hard; an arm came around his neck and pulled tight.  Then another thick cotton cloth covered his face.  Recognizing the smell right away AJ grabbed at the hand that held it against him and pulled with all his might.

 

“And even as a Boy Band wash out you’re worth way more than she is.” He heard the voice say as he slipped into unconsciousness.

           

           

Chapter 16 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                              Chapter Sixteen

 

           

            AJ started coughing and his shoulder began to ache as he started to come too.  Sluggishly he lifted himself up and tried to look for something to lean against but his eyes only saw blurs.  With a moan he lied back down and let the fuzziness wear off.  Rubbing his eyes he concentrated on remembering what happened, how he ended up like this. 

 

“Eve” AJ said as he sat up and looked around again.  He was alone in a small bedroom, a mattress on the other side, a chair and a glass of water.  The windows were covered with plywood and the door across from him was closed.  Then he remembered going to the restaurant, finding Eve and the small scuffle with the guy who’s behind this.

 

Slowly he got up and made his way to the door, he knew it wouldn’t open but he just had to check.  He turned the knob and pulled on it, nothing.  He pulled on it again, a little harder this time, letting his frustration through.  As he shook the door harder and harder he began to scream.  Then he pounded on the door as he screamed, someone would have to hear him.

 

The door flew open and it sent him tumbling backwards to the floor.  Someone grabbed him by the shirt and punched him.  AJ reached up and grabbed at the person, trying to pull him down and the persons foot got tangled on his skull wallet chain causing themselves to trip and fall.

 

Quickly AJ got up and shook as much of the punch off as he could.  He made his way to the open door and headed out of the room.  When the person in the room shouted he dashed down the stairs and hoped there was a door at the bottom.  But the only thing he found was a huge arm swinging at his chest and knocking him to the ground as the air left his lungs.  AJ gasped for air as he rolled on the ground, the pain rushing through him but he was able to watch the two men, one big, like a trucker or wrestler and the other one, the one that punched him was average size.  They both had ski masks on and wore all dark clothing, generic, nothing special.

 

“Damn it, you better not have broken a rib.” The one that punched AJ yelled as he made his way down.  “Punctured his lung or something.”

 

AJ started to feel himself getting dizzy as the lack of oxygen was causing him to pass out.  Then the pain began to lessen and slowly he could feel his breath returning to him, when his body realized this he started coughing and curled up on the stairs.

 

“Why haven’t we left yet, you don’t think Mats is going to give us up?” The man with the big arm and deep voice asked.

 

“No he won’t, not unless he wants his precious Evelyn to get hurt.” The man who attacked AJ said and this got AJ’s attention.  “Tie him up and put him in her room, maybe he can get her to stop jabbering like a mental patient.  I’m going to call the house, let them know there’s been a change in plans, sure they know he’s gone by now.”

 

AJ felt the bigger man grab him and he wanted to fight but he was still out of it from the close line he got at the bottom of the stairs. Besides they said they were putting him with Eve so he acted out of it, more than he really was.  He let the man tie his arms up behind him and then picked him up over his shoulder.  AJ let out a moan and it wasn’t acting as some of his chest pain came back.

 

The big guy carried him back up the stairs but they didn’t go down the hallway AJ ran from instead they went the other way down the hall.  He was carried down to the other end and when he heard a door open he opened his eyes and looked around.  Then he was thrown to the floor, he grunted as he hit the hard wood floor and almost hit the back of his head.  AJ lied there and still pretending to be semi conscious watched as the big man tied his legs with another rope.  When he was done the guy left the room closing and locking the door behind him.  AJ struggled for a minute to sit himself up, when he got into a sitting position he tried to look around the room.  When he heard something behind him AJ shuffled around turning himself to see what it was.

 

Eve lied on the ground, the gag over her mouth hung around her neck, she stared at the wood floor, her legs weren’t tied up but her hands were tied together in front of her. She still wore her robe over her PJ tank top and bottoms. Her lips slowly moved as she quietly talked to herself.  Slowly AJ slid over to her and got himself onto his knees.  He wanted to pick her up and hold her, let her know he was here but his damn hands were tied.

 

“Evelyn?” AJ finally spoke and she flinched a little.  He leaned closer to her.  “Evelyn, Evie baby look at me.” Her eyes closed as a tear rolled from the corner of her eye and down the side of her nose.

 

Just then the door opened and AJ turned around to see the smaller of the men walk in.  “What did you do to her?” He asked angrily as he stared at the man in front of him.

 

“Nothing” The man sighed.  “It’s like she just snapped.”  AJ looked back to Eve, still lying there oblivious to the two men in the room with her.  “Who’s Sean?” AJ’s head snapped back to the kidnapper and he stared at him.

 

“Why?” AJ asked holding back his anger to get an answer.

 

“She keeps talking to him.” The man replied and he laughed a little.  AJ’s teeth started to grind.  “Man Mats sure did fuck her up huh?”

 

“Shut up!” AJ yelled at him.

 

“What is it with you boy band members, so testy.” The man sighed.  “I just got finished talking to your friend, well let’s just say he’s not very happy with me either.” 

 

AJ thought about who it was, most likely Kevin.  He stayed silent as the situation started to sink in, he was being held captive, for ransom, and Eve was a complete mess.  He didn’t know how he was going to get them out and he wondered if the police and Detective Ozwith would find them. 

 

The sound of a cell phone ringing startled both men but AJ was the only one confused by it.  Reaching into his pocket the kidnapper pulled a phone from his pocket and flipped it open.  The entire time staring at AJ.

 

“I don’t even wanna know what you have to do to get these cell phone calls.” He said into the small black phone.  “She’s fine, having a lovely conversation with herself.”  There was a pause, he could hear the muffle sound of a voice shouting but he couldn’t make anything out.  “I did nothing, you’re the one that dragged her into a van and then played tag with her around LA all night.” The kidnapper started laughing.

 

The man closed the phone without saying goodbye and shrugged.  “Looks like something came up.”  He walked over to the door and grabbed the knob.  “I’ll be back, you two love birds enjoy the private room.”

 

When the man left the room AJ looked back down to Eve, her eyes were open again and she lied there mumbling.  “Evelyn?” AJ said to her as he shuffled his way over to her.  “Evelyn can you hear me?” He asked as he leaned closer to her.  “It’s me, it’s Alex, come on baby talk to me.” She still didn’t respond to him.

 

He scooted closer to her and carefully lied down beside her.  He could hear her mumbling but he couldn’t make out what she was saying.  His eyes locked onto hers but hers didn’t lock onto his, still staring at the wooden floor beneath them.  AJ positioned himself so her head was under his, he could smell her hair and it brought his emotions out.  He started crying as he leaned his head against hers.

 

“It’s ok Evie, I’m here.” He told her as he sniffed.  “It’s ok, I’m here.” He repeated again.  She didn’t turn or move to look at him like he expected her too.  AJ lied there with Eve as she talked to herself, or whatever, whoever it was she was talking too.  With everything he had been through the last few hours, he found his body starting to fall asleep.  A long rest needed from all the emotion and physical exhaustion he had been through.  His heavy eyes closed over and soon AJ was fast asleep.

 

 

           

Chapter 17 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                           Chapter Seventeen

 

           

            AJ’s eyes slowly fluttered open and as he began to wake up he felt the pain in his shoulders and neck.  His arms still tied behind his back and the hard wood floor beneath him made for a very uncomfortable bed. When his eyes opened fully he saw Eve looking at him as she sat across from him. Quickly he sat up much to the dislike of his neck and back, he winced in pain as they ached from the awkward position he was in.

 

“Eve?” He said as he looked at her, her eyes followed him as he sat up.

 

“I know you” She replied her eyebrows frowned.

 

“Yes sweetheart it’s me, Alex.” AJ said as he thought about moving closer to her.

 

“Alex” She said unsure of the name.  As he looked at her he noticed she didn’t look to beat up, her cheek had a bruise and her lip was fat but it was nothing compared to how she was when he found her that night in LA.

 

The door opened and the smaller of the kidnappers walked into the room. “Good you’re awake.” The man said as he walked past Eve and grabbed AJ.  “Time to go talk to some friends.”  He looked back at Eve as the man pulled him from the room; she stared at him, confused and scared.  AJ was dragged down the stairs into what he figured was the living room.  “Sit” The man barked at him as he pushed him down onto the couch.

 

AJ watched as the man picked up a black phone and dialed a number, there was silence and then the man started to talk.  “Put his Mother on.”

 

“Mom” AJ said under his breath.  Did that mean she was in Nashville?

 

“You have fifteen seconds to talk, don’t be a dumbass.” The man said to AJ as he put the phone to his ear. 

 

“Hello?” He heard his Mother say. “Where is my son!” She yelled.

 

“I’m right here Ma I’m ok.” AJ said hoping he could calm her.

 

“Alex, oh Alex.” Denise said as she started crying.

 

“I’m fine Mom, really I’m ok.” He reassured her.  “Try not to worry.” Although he knew those words didn’t mean much to her.

 

“Is Eve with you?” She asked through her tears.

 

“Yes” AJ replied and then the phone was taken away, he looked at the man in shock.

 

“Times up, you know he’s ok, so now I want my money.” The man said into the phone as he walked away.  He snapped his fingers at the big man and pointed to AJ then up to the ceiling.  The big man walked up to AJ and took him by the arm, dragging him back up the stairs and back into the room with Eve.  The big man gave him a little nudge into the room and AJ tripped over his feet which were still tied together at the legs, and fell to the floor.  He grunted in pain a little as he hit the floor and the air was knocked out of him for a second.

 

“Alex?” He heard Eve say and he looked at her as he sat up.  He saw the look on her face, fear, panic but a lot of relief.  “Alex?” She said again and she started crying.  AJ got up on his knees and shuffled over too her.  When he got close enough to her she put her arms over his head, wrapping her arms around his neck.

 

“Its ok sweetheart, I’m right here.” AJ said as she squeezed him tightly, crying.  After a couple of minutes Eve pulled away and their eyes locked.  She looked at him confused.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“They called told me they had you at the restaurant and wanted me to meet them, so I did, and they knocked me out and when I woke up I was here, apparently the plan was to get you for Mats but it changed when they found out who I was.” AJ told her.  “Can you undo my hands?” He asked as he nodded behind him.  Eve scooted behind him and began untying the ropes around his wrists.

 

“What about the police?” She asked as he grabbed his wrists and rubbed them.

 

“I went by myself” He told her.

 

“What?” Eve said stunned.  “W-why?

 

“I didn’t want to wait for them to go through protocol, those guys wanted me to come so that’s what I did, I needed to get to you.” He told her as he began to untie her hands.  Tossing the rope away he looked at Eve as she sat in front of him shaking. 

 

“Are you ok; when I first got here you were really out of it.” AJ told her as he put his hand on the side of her neck.

 

She nodded. “I just need my pills.”  When she said that AJ started to clue in on what made her a mumbling mess.  She had a panic attack, probably a few and not having her meds probably did it too her.  He pulled her against him and she wrapped her arms around him.  Closing his eyes he pushed away everything that had happened, everything he was feeling and just felt her there, at that moment.

 

“I’m so scared.” Eve cried as he held her.

 

“I know, me too.” He said as he gently pulled her away.  “But we’re going to get out of here.”

 

“How, did you see the size of that one guy?” Eve asked as he wiped her tears.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied remembering the close line he got.

 

“Do you think you could get the boards off the windows?” She asked.

 

“I dunno they look like they’re nailed to the windowsill.” AJ told her as he looked at the window behind her.

 

Suddenly the door opened and both of them snapped their heads to the man standing in the archway, the big man stared at them for a moment a little shocked.  When he realized they had both untied themselves he ran at AJ but he let go of Eve and dashed away just as the man went to grab his shirt.  He stopped when he saw the chair in front of him; he grabbed it and turned around.  The big man was right behind him and AJ swung the chair at his head.  The seat edge caught the man on the temple side, the legs busted apart and the kidnapper stumbled back.  When he tripped over one of the round leg pegs AJ grabbed Eve’s hand and they both took off running. 

 

They ran down the stairs just as the other kidnapper made his way into the hallway.  He shouted at them and AJ let go of Eve’s hand and slammed himself into the man at the bottom of the stairs.  Grabbing the man by the shirt he pushed him back into the wall and then took him down to the ground.  AJ punched the guy, his fist slamming hard into the mans face.  When he heard something at the top of the stairs he looked up and saw the big man, he looked pissed.  Scrambling to his feet AJ turned around and shouted for Eve to run to the door, he took off with her and caught up to her just as she got the door opened.  Then AJ felt something grab his shirt almost choking him and he fell down to the ground.

 

“Eve go!” AJ shouted as he grabbed the man’s leg and pulled him down to the ground.  He watched as Eve opened the door and ran outside, he stood up and dashed at the door but the kidnapper grabbed his foot and he fell.   His head slammed against the ground, he looked up and saw Eve outside looking back at him, and he heard one of the man shout as she started getting blurry. 

 

 

“Run Evie!” She heard AJ scream as she saw him on the floor, she stepped back waiting for him to get up, waiting for him to come with her but the big kidnapper was the first to get up.  Quickly she turned around and ran down the street.  She didn’t look back when she heard one of the men shout at her; she kept running until she couldn’t anymore. 

 

Eve stopped on the corner of a street; she looked back and didn’t see AJ.  She waited as the panic set in, gasping for air from the running, she waited but he wasn’t behind her.  Her hands shook and she began to pace as she tried to calm her breathing, wrapping her arms around her, wrapping her robe around her as she felt herself getting cold from the night air.  The fear set in and she ran her fingers through her hair as she thought about him alone in the house.  A car swooshed past her but she didn’t care as she continued to pace back and forth.

 

Looking around still panicked, she tried to look to see where she was but she didn’t recognize the street names.  She looked down one way and then looked down the other deciding which way she would walk to try and find a pay phone.  Choosing to go right since she was on that side of the street anyways Eve started walking down the sidewalk.  Her mind racing with thoughts of Alex and what they would do to him because she got away and he didn’t.  Her only hope was that they wouldn’t hurt him because they still needed to get their money.

Chapter 18 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                           Chapter Eighteen

 

           

            Eve laid on her side, the clothes she wore gave her no comfort, they felt stiff and new.  The blankets on the bed were not that comforting either and the cold stale air didn’t help.  She closed her eyes and tried to push out the noise of the nurses in the hallway outside her curtain.  The police picked her up a couple of blocks away, apparently there was an APB put out on her and AJ, the robe and PJ’s she walked around in were a dead give away.

 

            The Police took her to the local hospital, she was checked in and given some meds to help calm her down, and when she was settled they began asking her questions.  They immediately put out a search in the area where they found her and the surrounding areas. When they were finished asking her questions the two men left and she was alone.  She didn’t know how long she had been lying in the hard bed, she didn’t really care.  Someone said her name but she didn’t respond.  Why didn’t she grab something to hit the guy with, why didn’t she try and go back for him, why couldn’t she protect him like he protected her?  Her eyes closed and pushed out the tears as they flooded her eyes. 

 

“Eve?” A man with a strong voice said and it pulled her from the stooper she was in.  When she looked around the room she saw Kevin, Nick and Denise staring at her.  Seeing Nick and especially Kevin there made her feel worse but seeing his Mom there made her want to be sick.  “The Doctor said we can take you home.”  She looked at them confused for a minute and then slowly sat up in the bed.  A nurse came in with a wheelchair and told her she could stay in the hospital garb if she wasn’t up to changing.  She wasn’t up for anything but going home and crawling into her bed.

 

The car ride home was pretty quiet but she was glad for it.  Kevin drove, Denise sat in the passenger side beside him and Nick sat in the back beside her.  She rested her head against the window as she stared out at the city that past her by.  When they got to a street she recognized she sat up and looked out the front window.  A small calm came over her when she saw her house getting closer.  Then her heart started to sink, he wouldn’t be there.  She looked down at the hospital bracelet as her wrist began to itch.   When she felt the car stop she looked up and sighed when she saw her house. 

 

Opening the door Eve climbed out of the car, she noticed Kevin hurried to help her and she lightly smiled.  They walked to the front door and Detective Ozwith was there to greet her, with more questions no doubt.

 

“How are you Eve?” She asked as Eve walked right past her.

 

“Fine” Eve mumbled as she continued down the hall.

 

“Eve I need to ask you some questions.” The Detective said as she followed her down the hall.  Eve spun around, she felt it brewing when she saw the woman standing at her door, this woman was suppose to be watching her and him, this woman was a cop and she let Alex take off to the restaurant alone.

 

“Good cause I have some for you” Eve snapped as she stopped dead in front of the Detective.  “Why was he allowed to leave by himself?” Eve asked.  “What took you so long to get to the restaurant?”

 

“He took off on his own accord Eve, the officers here called me and I had to call and get swat and other officers down there.” Detective Ozwith explained.

 

“Stupid fucking protocol.” Eve mumbled as she turned around and walked into her room, slamming the door behind her.  She walked over to her bed and sat down, she wanted to scream and cry but whenever the urge came her meds kicked in and the urge went away.  There was a light knock on the door and Eve closed her eyes.

 

“Just go away” She whispered hoping that would make everyone just go poof.  But when there was a second light knock she sighed and stood up.  Walking over to the door she slowly opened it and looked out to the hallway.  Her chest tightened and her eyes etched in pain for a second when she saw Denise standing in front of her.

 

“May I come in?” She asked and it kind of shocked Eve.

 

“Yeah, sure” Eve replied stepping back as she let AJ’s Mom into the room.

 

“This is the medication the hospital gave us for you.” Denise said as she held out a small brown bag.

 

“Thanks” Eve said as she took the bag from Denise and set it down on her dresser.

 

“Should you take them?” Alex’s Mother asked.

 

“No, I’m still feeling the ones they gave me at the hospital.” Eve said with a light smile as she sat down on the bed.

 

“Do you need anything?” Denise asked.

 

Eve paused for a moment, the comment made her think about AJ.  “No, I’m just going to have a bath and try to sleep.” Eve told her.

 

“Ok” Denise replied with a light smile as she headed to the door and then she stopped.  “I’ll get one of the guys to wake you if they call.”

 

“Ok” Eve said as she watched Denise leave the room.  When the door closed she sighed and put her head in her hands.  Lying down on the bed she buried her head into the mattress and muffled her sobs.  She wanted nothing more than to be in his arms right now, where it was safe but Eve knew that wasn’t possible and she found herself wishing she hadn’t ran from the house at all.

 

Slowly she sat up and wiped her eyes as she began to calm.  She brushed her hair out of her face and took a deep breath.  Standing up she walked into her bathroom and turned on the light.  Leaning down she turned on the taps and adjusted the water letting it run as she grabbed a towel from the closet.  Sitting down on the edge of the tub she waited for it to fill and then turned off the taps.  She undressed out of the hospital scrubs and slipped into the hot bath water. 

 

Her body relaxed a little as she laid back and closed her eyes.  When her mind started thinking about the men that rushed into her room, she slipped under the water and laid there for a moment.  When she popped back up she brought her knees to her chest and rested her head against her legs.  Her eyes closed and she started to realize she was very tired.  Opening them she reached for the plug chain and pulled it and then stood up.  She grabbed her towel and stepped out of the water and unto the bath mat.  Wrapping the towel around her chest she opened the door and walked into her bedroom. 

 

Eve walked over to her dresser and reached for the drawer that held her pajama’s and night gowns.  She stopped and looked over at the small duffle bag that sat by her bathroom door.  Holding the towel around her she walked over to it and knelt down.  Eve pulled on the zipper and opened the bag.  She searched through the clothes, trying not to mess things up too much, and when she reached the t-shirts she pulled out a white one.  Standing up Eve walked over to her bed and took the towel off.  The t-shirt slipped down over her and stopped mid thigh.  Flipping her head forward she wrapped the towel around her wet hair and then walked over to her dresser again pulling out a pair of PJ bottoms. 

 

Climbing on the bed Eve slipped under her blankets and felt her body relax even more.  She opened her eyes and looked at the empty space in front of her.  She spent two years going to bed without him by her own stubborn choice but now it wasn’t her choice and she felt tears of regret fall.  Her thoughts went back to AJ, what was he doing right now, was he ok, or did they hurt him? Is he sleeping or unconscious, and did he know she got away and was safe at home. Pulling the covers closer to her, she wrapped them around her as tight as she could and closed her eyes.  It wasn’t long before the warm, heavy blankets, soft comforting mattress and the sent coming from his t-shirt relaxed her and she drifted off to sleep.  

Chapter 19 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                           Chapter Nineteen

 

           

AJ sat against the wall, his head rested against it and it didn’t do the screaming, pounding headache he had any good.  He hadn’t seen Eve in hours but he also hadn’t left the room in hours, not since he woke up here after the fight at the door.  He wondered if they moved her into another room or if she really got away.  His eyes closed and he prayed she got away.  The house was quiet so when one of the men started walking up the stairs he heard it right away.  AJ stared at the door and waited to see which one it was.  The door opened and he saw the average size man walk over to him.  The man said nothing as he picked AJ up and dragged him out of the room.

 

They had retied his hands and put duct tape over his mouth.  His one eye was not almost swollen shut, his jaw hurt when he tried to move it and his entire chest ached.  The man escorted him down the stairs and shoved him onto the couch, AJ grunted as a sharp pain in his chest took his breath away for a moment.  When he sat up the man reached for the duct tape on his mouth and pulled it off, leaving his mouth stinging.  The kidnapper than pulled a cell from his pocket and dialed a number.

 

“Let me talk to her.” The man sighed and AJ wondered who picked up, he waited and waited and AJ noticed he was getting impatient.  “So, you did make it home, I was kind of hoping you’d be out wondering around.” The man said.  “What, you have nothing to say, after all that jabbering you did here?” The man replied and that confirmed he was talking to Eve.  AJ closed his eyes and sighed in relief she was home and she was safe, that was all he wanted.  When AJ looked at the man again he saw the kidnapper staring at him.  “Well you’re the one that escaped; I really don’t think you should be allowed to talk to him.” There was another pause.  “Nope, cry all you want sweetheart, you ain’t going to talk to him, put his Mother back on.”  AJ frowned he wanted to talk to her too, just to hear her voice, just to let her know he was ok.  The phone was pushed to his ear and he looked at the small man confused.

 

“Alex?” His Mother said and he sighed.

 

“Hey Ma” AJ replied happy to hear her.  “Eve’s there?” He asked.

 

“Yes darling she’s here.” Denise told him and the words of validation he had been waiting for were like a weight lifted off his shoulders and he started crying.  “How are you, are you ok?”

 

“I’m fine.” AJ replied trying to calm himself.  “I just wasn’t sure if she was ok or not.”

 

“She’s ok, she’s at home and safe and you will be too, soon.” Denise told him and her confidence seemed strong, it gave him hope.  Then the phone was pulled from his ear and AJ looked up at the one kidnapper as he started talking on the phone.

 

“You know where to drop it off right?” The man asked and there was a pause.  “Good, when we get our money, we will drop him off.” The man shut the cell phone and put it in his pocket. 

 

“Get him ready.” The smaller man said to the bigger man.  He pulled AJ up as the smaller one taped his mouth shut again, and then he was dragged into the back and out the back door.  The man pushed AJ into the back of an SUV and slammed the door shut.  Quickly he looked around looking at his surroundings.  The seats to the car were blocked off by a cage, like someone would have for a dog or like you would see in a cop car. 

 

A minute later the two kidnappers came out and got into the SUV, the smaller one looked back at AJ and then looked away.  He wondered if they would really let him go if they got the money they wanted but apart of him didn’t want his Mom giving them the money.  They pulled away from the house and AJ watched out the back tinted window as it disappeared down the street.  He got a funny feeling, a feeling of relief glad to be rid of the place.

 

The big man who drove the car followed back roads and residential streets, the smaller one telling him to stay off the main roads, trying to stay out of site of the police.  They were stopped at a red light when AJ saw a cop car roll up behind the two cars that were behind him.  He panicked a little, they were right there and there was nothing he could do to get their attention.  Then it hit him, the back window.  Quickly lying on his back he brought his feet up and started kicking the window as hard as he could with both feet.  He heard one of the kidnappers screaming at him but he didn’t care, it felt like a couple of more kicks and the window would pop and he was right. 

 

The window smashed as his legs went through, scrambling onto his knees AJ looked out the back window just as the cop lights came on.  He sighed realizing they saw something and the red, white and blue lights were almost comforting.  The smaller kidnapper screamed at the bigger one to go and the SUV took off into the intersection and the momentum caused AJ to fall back against the back of the car.  He felt the glass on the floor cut his legs up as he slammed into the back door.  When he got his bearings he looked out the back window again and saw the cop car chasing them.

 

The SUV swerved and AJ rolled to the left side of the car.  His shoulder slammed into the plastic lining and he grunted in pain.  They swerved again and he went flying to the other side.  Just as he looked up and out the side window he saw a red object coming at him, right at him, and as it slammed into the SUV AJ ducked and curled up as the back end sent the car into a spin.  He heard glass shatter and metal crunch, he heard tires squeeling and then he felt the side window slam against his back as the SUV rolled onto its side. 

 

AJ’s breathing was heavy as he looked around, he realized they had been hit by something and he started to mentally check himself.  He could breathe fine besides the panic that had set in, his head hurt but not any worse than it did before, and his back ached but he could feel his toes.   Looking to the front of the SUV he saw both men starting to move and he realized he needed to get out before they did.  Carefully AJ slid along the side of the car towards the back window he had kicked out and tried to crawl out but he was stopped by a cop with a gun pointed at him.

 

“Mr. Mclean?” The officer asked and AJ nodded quickly.  The officer shouted that it was him as his partner pulled the big driver out.  “Are you hurt?” The cop asked and AJ shook his head.  The officer reached for his leg and carefully pulled him towards the back window and then helped him out of the wrecked car. 

 

As the cop pulled the tape from his face AJ took a deep breath in.  “Thank you” He sighed as the officer cut the rope from his wrists. 

 

“Well get the EMT’s to look at you and try to get you to your family right away.” The officer said as two cops walked by with the big kidnapper.  “Get that eye checked out.”

 

“Thanks” AJ said as he looked away from the big man back to the cop.

 

The officer walked him to a car and opened the door.  AJ climbed in and sat down, he relaxed a little, feeling safe inside the cop car and he felt himself wanting to curl up in the backseat and go to sleep.  Resting his head against the window he closed his eyes and thought about the last couple of days.  Now he had lived a crazy life being apart of one of the top selling groups of all time, and a lot of it was brought on by him but these past few days definitely took the cake.  Sirens broke him from his thoughts and he saw an Ambulance roll up, a minute later one of the officers came to the door and opened it. 

 

“The EMT’s will take you to the hospital now for a check up.” The cop told him and AJ climbed out of the car.  He followed the officer over to the ambulance and stepped into the back sitting down on the bench.  On the way to the hospital the attendant did gave him a basic check up but they wanted him to see a Doctor to check his head and back, just to be safe.

 

When they got to the ER they helped him out and set him down in a wheelchair.  He was taken inside, checked in and sent to a bed to be examined.  The Doctor came in shortly after and started asking questions about where it hurt, what happened in the SUV, and at the house.  He checked over AJ’s jaw and ribs, he checked out his back and knee, and then he sent him to have a cat scan.  If that came back clear he told AJ he could go home.  A few minutes later a nurse came with a gown for him to change into.  He undressed when she left and wrapped the thin cotton gown around him.  When the nurse came back she had a wheelchair waiting for him.

 

AJ laid on his back staring at the top of the tube he was surrounded by, he wasn’t sure how long he was in there but he was finding himself getting anxious.  Finally the Doctor came onto the speaker and told him he was done.  Slowly he started to feel the bed sliding out of the tube, when he was out in the open he sat up.  The nurse helped him into the wheelchair and took him out of the room.  He waited for a few more minutes and then the Doctor came out and told him everything looked good. 

 

As the nurse wheeled him down the ER hallway, back to his room, he saw his Mom and Kevin standing at the end of the hall with Detective Ozwith.  He watched as Kevin let his Mom know he was there and she spun around.  She took off down the hall towards him and he couldn’t help but smile at the sight of her. When she wrapped her arms around him he didn’t care how old he was, it felt good to be there.

 

“Are you ok?” Denise asked after a moment of crying and holding her son.

 

“I’m fine, Doc says I can go.” AJ told her as she pulled away.  She frowned at the swollen eye and he lightly smiled.  “Really Ma I’m ok.”

           

Chapter 20 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                           Chapter Twenty

 

           

           

“How is Eve?” AJ asked his Mom as they walked to Det. Ozwith’s car.

 

“She’s holding in there.” Denise told him.  “She was out of it a little when Kevin, Nick and I picked her up at the hospital, and she didn’t hear me talking to her at first.  She would have come with us but she’s still pretty medicated after the last phone call, it upset her a little.”

 

“Has she slept at all?” He asked.

 

“Yes darling, she was actually sleeping the last time that man called the house.” Denise told him.  “She seems ok, just very worried about you, like we all were.” She said as he opened the car door for her.  AJ smiled at her and hugged her one more time before she got in.  When he closed the door he opened the back door and sat behind her as Kevin got into the back beside him.  Closing the door AJ buckled himself up nice and tight and then relaxed, waiting to go and see Eve.

 

He looked down at his hand, his knuckles scratched up and he wondered if he did that during the fight, when Eve got away or while he was being tossed around the back of the SUV.  A smile broke from his mouth when he thought about them being free, being safe, back together, and this mess they could put behind them.  The car ride to Eve’s place seemed to take forever but eventually they got there.  He unbuckled his seatbelt and opened the car door as his Mother got out too.  They both walked up to the front door and AJ opened it.  When he entered the hallway a flood of people poured out of the living room to see him.

 

Nick hugged him, Brian and Howie hugged him, and all of them were crying, glad to see their brother and band mate was ok.  He looked around at everyone and then over Brian’s shoulder he saw her, coming from her room.  They both looked at each other for a moment, it was funny, all she wore was his shirt and a pair of PJ bottoms but at that moment she had never looked more beautiful.  AJ walked by his friends towards her, she was already crying when he approached her and wrapped his arms around her.

 

“Did they do that because of me?” She asked through her tears.

 

“They did it because I fought back.” He replied.  “I’m glad you got away.”

 

“I’m glad you did too.” She replied as she squeezed him tighter and he didn’t even mind the extra pain he felt in his chest from it.

 

“Alex may I speak with you for a moment?” Detective Ozwith asked.

 

“Ok” AJ lightly nodded and he went to walk into the living room but Eve stopped him.

 

“Are you hungry? Want me to make you something?” She asked as she held his hand.  He looked at her for a moment and then lightly smiled.

 

“Sure” He replied even though he was no where near hungry, he could tell by the look on her face for what ever reason she didn’t want to be around when he talked to the Detective.  They kissed and then Eve left for the kitchen as AJ went with everyone else into the living room.  He heard the usual speech about how stupid he was to go on his own and not wait for the police.  She told him this all could have been avoided if he would have waited.  Then she began to ask him questions. 

 

AJ told her everything he knew, how the men were working for Mats keeping an eye on Eve, when Mats found out they were hanging out again he sent everything into motion but when the men found out who he was, they decided to go for the money instead something Mats couldn’t guarantee. AJ also explained how they kept Eve so Mats would keep his mouth shut about what was going on. He told her about how he and Eve almost escaped and how he was able to keep them occupied long enough so she could get away.  Then he told them how he paid for it because they had nothing over Mats now and what led up to him escaping.

 

“Is that all?” AJ asked when he saw her packing up.

 

“Yes, that’s everything thank you.” She replied as she stood up.  “I will be in touch tomorrow with everything the DA has to say.”

 

“Ok” AJ nodded and the woman plus the two other cops collected their belongings and left Eve’s house.  “You guys might as well take off too, I’m just going to grab something to eat, shower and crash and I’m sure you all could use a good sleep.” AJ said as he looked at his friends.

 

“Glad you’re safe man.” Kevin said as they hugged.

 

“Me too.”AJ replied with a joking smile and Kevin smiled back.  He watched his friends get into their cars and pull away from the house.  When he closed the door he saw his Mom was still in the hallway.

 

“You staying?” He asked.  “There’s an extra bed in Eve’s office.”

 

“No it’s alright sweetheart, I’ll leave so you two can just have a quiet night to yourselves you both need it.” She replied with a light smile.  “I have a room at the hotel with the guys I’ll be ok.”

 

“Are you sure, you can stay for something to eat.” AJ said.

 

“I’m sure, you two relax, and I’ll be back in morning.” She told him as she kissed him on the check and hugged him tightly one last time.  He walked her out to her rental and waited for her to drive to the end of the street, then walked back into the house.  AJ made his way down to the kitchen and entered as Eve set a bowl of chicken stir fry on the table. 

 

“I hope you’re eating too.” AJ said as he walked over to the table.

 

“Going to try.” Eve replied with a light smile as she grabbed another bowl from the cupboard. 

 

AJ sat down and picked up the fork, the bowl steamed, the smell made him realize he was a lot hungrier than he first thought.  He garnished the dish to his liking and then began to eat.  They both sat at the table quietly, slowly picking and eating their food.

 

“Well I’m going to go have a bath; did you want to join me?” He asked as he took her hand.

 

“Actually I’m going to do up these dishes before I get too tired.” She replied with a light smile.

 

“Are you sure?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, yeah go relax, ok?” She said as she squeezed his hand.

 

“Ok.” He replied and brought her hand to his lips and lightly kissed the back of her fingers. AJ stood up walked to her room and into the bathroom.  Sitting on the edge of the tub he watched the water pour in as his mind wondered to Eve.  It wasn’t like her to turn down a bath but then again they had just gotten away from two kidnappers and all, she was probably worried and wanted him to relax like she said.  He shut the water off, got undressed and slipped into the water.  As his body went under the hot water he couldn’t help but let a small moan of delight escape from his lips.  Closing his eyes he lied back against the tub edge and rested his head gently against the wall.  The pain was lessening, the fear was gone and he finally felt at ease.  So much so he didn’t even catch himself falling asleep.

 

“Alex?” He heard and the voice was calm and soothing.  His eyes fluttered and he brought his hand up to rub his eyes, the water that splashed on his face woke him up.  He looked around and saw Eve kneeling beside the tub; he looked down and realized how cold the water had gotten.  “You fell asleep.” She told him with a light smile and he lightly smiled back.  Eve stood up and grabbed him a towel from the closet as AJ stepped out of the bath.  He took the towel from her and quickly dried his hair, then wrapped the heavy cotton towel around his waist.  Following her out of the bathroom he watched as she walked over to his side of the bed and pulled down the blankets.  She then walked over to her side and collected the papers she had on the bed.

 

“What’s that?” He asked as he crawled into his spot.

 

“Insurance papers.” She replied as she set them in the nightstand.  “Do you need anything?” She asked as he sat back on the pillows.

 

“Just you” AJ replied and she lightly smiled.  Eve crawled over to him and laid beside him, laying her head on his chest, her left arm rested between them, and laid her right arm across his stomach.  Resting the side of his head on top of hers AJ closed his eyes and slid his hand along her arm.  It didn’t take long for the slumber he was in moments ago to come back.

Chapter 21 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                        Chapter Twenty-One

 

           

AJ felt something flutter against his face and his eyes slowly opened.  Looking back at him, barely above the top of the bed were a pair of bright blue eyes and a smile that would melt the coldest of hearts.  He stared at the little girl, who could not have been older than three,  as she pulled herself up onto the bed.  Her hair was dark brown and it hung down to her shoulders and he started to wonder what this little girl was doing in his house.

 

“Lily.” He heard Eve sigh and he looked at the door.  “Sorry, I turned my back for a second and she was down the hall.” She told him with a light smile and as she walked across the room, the little girl giggled and scrambled behind AJ wrapping her arms around his neck.  She pulled back and laughed as Eve got closer to her and AJ was too confused to notice the little girl lightly choking him. “She’s getting to smart for her own good.” Eve sighed.  “She saw your shoes and bag downstairs and realized you were home, she missed you.”

 

AJ said nothing as he looked at Eve, his eyebrows frowned with confusion.  “Are you ok?” Eve asked as she finally got the little girl off him.

 

“Fine” AJ said still confused.

 

“Want some breakfast?” She asked as the little girl settled on Eve’s lap.

 

“Sure” AJ replied with a slow nod.

 

            Eve then looked down at the little girl she called Lily and smiled.  “You want to help me make Daddy breakfast?” She asked and as the word left her lips AJ’s eyes bugged out of his head, now he was really confused. He watched as Eve tickled the girl and she squealed with delight as Eve leaned in and playfully kissed her.

 

He watched as Eve picked the girl up in her arms and carried her out of the room.  Slowly AJ got up and walked out of his bedroom.  He walked down the hall and stopped when he saw the room beside him.  A small light purple bed sat in the corner, the walls had animals and flowers painted on it, and the floor was cluttered in toys.  He continued to explore the house and walked downstairs.  As he walked down the hallway he saw the pictures on the wall.  There were wedding pictures, ones of him and Eve holding a small newborn, there were pictures of him and Eve together with the little girl that woke him up, and then sitting in the middle of them was a flat glass frame.  In that frame was a certificate.

 

“Name of child, Lillian Dawn…” AJ said as his voice trailed down.  “Adopters name and surname, Alexander James Mclean and Evelyn May Mclean…”  Everything clicked into him as he read the words.

 

“Alex?” He heard Eve call and he looked down the hall.

 

His eyes opened and he found himself back in Eve’s bed, Eve sleeping soundly on his chest.  His eyes darted to beside the bed but there was no one there.  Slowly he slid out from under her, laying her head carefully on top of a pillow and then crawled out of the bed.  He threw on a pair of boxers, grabbed his cigarettes and quietly walked out of the room.  As he walked down the hall to the back patio doors, he rubbed his arm and rubbed away the goose bumps that were left by the dream.  He had never had a dream like that before, at least not one that felt as real as that one did. 

 

Turning off the alarm he walked out back, pulled a chair out and sat down as he tapped a smoke from his cigarette pack.  He lit it and took a drag his mind still focused on the little girl that ‘woke’ him up, the way she clung to him as she tried to get away from Eve, and the way she laughed and giggled echoed in his ears.  Again the weird sensation he woke up with came over him and he shivered a little.  The goose bumps came back and he rubbed his arms again.

 

He sat outside under the warm Nashville air, thinking about that dream and each time he thought about it, his feelings changed.  First it gave him they strange sensation, then it scared him a little the thought of him as a Father but then he thought about Eve being there with him and how happy she was.  His mind drifted back to a memory, the memory of what happened in Florida and how she felt about not being able to have children.  The next time it played in his head he found himself enjoying it, smiling at the little girl, the sound of her giggling in his ear made him laugh a little.

 

Taking a deep breath AJ picked up his cigarettes and walked back into the house, making sure he turned the alarm back on.  He made his way back into the room and placed his smokes on the night stand.  Carefully he crawled under the blankets and slipped behind her as she slept on her side.  He wrapped his arm over her stomach and pulled her against him.  She mumbled a little as her hand searched for his, and as he took it her fingers tangled around his.  A small smile crept across his face when she didn’t complain about how he smelt, or the fact he was up at all.  He brushed his lips across the base of her neck and as he lovingly pecked along her shoulder Eve started to wake up.

 

When she tried to roll over he stopped her as he continued to gently kiss her shoulder.  He stopped at the base of her neck and pulled her hair away letting his finger drift along her skin.  Returning his lips he started to kiss her again as he let his fingers inch their way under the t-shirt.  They drifted around her stomach as Eve titled her head exposing her neck more for him.  His lips floated to the back of her ear as he tenderly took her breast into his hand.  Eve softly moaned as his lips dripped down her neck and he caressed her nipple in his fingers.  The longer he lovingly played with her like this the more her lower body grinded back into his, wanting him, needing him but he wasn’t anywhere near done.

 

Releasing her breast his hand slid back down her stomach and directly into her PJ’s, Eve gasped and bit her lip as his fingers gently slid past her clit.  Slowly he began to rub between her legs still slowly kissing along her neck and behind her ear.  His lust for her was starting to over whelm him so he removed his hand and pulled down her PJ bottoms. As he removed his boxers he sat up on his arm and Eve rolled against him resting her head between his neck and shoulders.  He draped her leg over him and slid into her from behind as his lips found their way back behind her ear.

 

 Eve reached behind her and grasped the back of his neck, she moaned as she pushed her lower body down onto him.  He breathed heavily as he wrapped his arm across her, gripping her shoulder and pulling her down against him.  She called out his name as her body began to tremble and her lower body tightened around him.  He whispered lovingly in her ear as he hit his peak and held her against him as he began to tremble with her.

 

Finally he allowed her to roll onto her back, his hand let go of her shoulder and drifted to her neck.  Slowly he leaned down and softly kissed her as they both calmed themselves.  As he pulled away her hand slipped from his neck and drifted down his chest.  He looked down at her as she lied there looking up at him and he lightly smiled.

 

“I love you so much.” He told her but before she could reply he silenced her with a kiss as he slowly crawled on top of her, he still wasn’t done yet.

 

The next morning AJ was awoken by the sun beaming through the curtains; again he made a mental note to talk to Eve about getting new ones.  Tiredly he sat himself up and rubbed his eyes as memories of the night and morning floated into his mind.  He looked beside him and saw she wasn’t there.  Quickly he jumped in the shower and noticed Eve must have had one when she got up.  When he was done he grabbed some fresh, clean clothes and got dressed.

 

As he opened the bedroom door he heard someone talking, closing the door behind him he walked down the hall, when he approached the kitchen he recognized Eve’s voice and poking his head around the doorway he saw who she was talking too.

 

“Hey Ma” AJ said as he walked into the kitchen.

 

“Morning sweetheart, or should I say afternoon.” Denise smiled and AJ looked at the clock on the microwave.

 

“Oh, wow.” AJ said a little stunned he had slept in so late.  “How long have you been here?” He asked.

 

“Couple of hours, Eve was up and she made me a lovely breakfast.” Denise replied with a smile and it came across as sincere.

 

“Do you want anything?” Eve asked as he sat down.

 

“Naw I’m good right now thanks babe.” AJ replied with a light smile.

 

“Ok, well I need to go make some phone calls.” She said as she put down the dish cloth.  “I’ll be in my office.” AJ watched as she left the room and found himself gazing at the doorway.

 

            “So how are you doing this morning?” Denise asked him, breaking him from his thoughts and he looked at her.

 

“I’m doing better than I was yesterday.” He told her.

 

“When do you plan on going home?” His Mom asked and he found himself feeling defensive wondering if she wanted him away from Eve.

 

“I’m not sure.” He replied.  “I would like Eve to come, get her away for a few days, and she can go see Sean.”

 

“Sean?” Denise said confused.

 

“Her brother.” AJ replied and his Mom nodded remembering. “But I don’t know when she’ll be able to go because of the restaurant and I’m sure I’m not done with the police and kidnapping investigation.”

 

“What about recording?” She asked.

 

“Gotta talk to the guys about that, they said they were coming by today.” He told her and right on cue the doorbell rang.

           

Chapter 22 by VeeLynn
> An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                        Chapter Twenty-Two

 

           

            AJ sat alone on the back patio as he enjoyed a cigarette.  The air was much hotter than it was when he was out here early this morning but his thoughts weren’t thinking about the dream he had, instead he thought about Eve.  She seemed fine when his Mom was here but when she left he noticed she became quiet and now that his house was full of Backstreet Boys the last he saw her she was sitting in her office.  He looked over his shoulder when he heard the doors slide open and saw Kevin walking out. 

 

“Figured you’d be out here with that shit.” Kevin sighed as he closed the door.

 

“Yeah well after the past couple of days I’ve had bite me.” AJ jokingly snapped back.  Kevin smirked as he sat down in a chair at the table.

 

“How are you doing anyways?” Kevin asked.

 

“I’m ok” AJ replied.  “Ready to just move on and let the courts deal with them.”

 

“Eve hasn’t been around much.” Kevin said as AJ took a drag of his smoke.

 

“Yeah, she’s kind of quiet, little worried but I’m willing to give it a few more days.” AJ said with a sigh.  Then he looked behind him through the doors and saw no one in the kitchen.  When he looked back at Kevin he took a deep breath.  “I need to talk to you about something.”

 

“I’m here man.” Kevin replied with a nod.

 

“It’s about Eve.” AJ told him.

 

“Is everything ok between you too?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah, yeah they’re great; never better actually, well despite the kidnappings.” He said with a light smile and his friend smiled back.  “While I was by myself at the house, I didn’t know if they had gone after her or if she had really gotten away.  All I could think about was how the two of us have wasted so many years because of our stubbornness and I don’t want to waste anymore.”

 

“So what are you saying?” Kevin asked.

 

“I’m not really sure, a part of me wants to go home grab that engagement ring and put it on her finger, where’s it’s suppose to be.” AJ replied with a sigh.  “But the other half is telling me to stay seated, now’s not the time, and to wait longer so people don’t start a bitch fest.”

 

“Why would people bitch?” His friend wondered and AJ just rolled his eyes towards Kevin, as if he didn’t know.

 

“We just got back together, we were both held hostage and now we’re jumping into marriage.” AJ said wondering why Kevin would ask that.

 

“It’s Eve.” Kevin replied looking at him.  “You’ve never really listened to any of us or anyone when it came to her before, so why start now man?” Kevin asked as he sat forward a little.

 

“Because I don’t want the bullshit, the looks, the snide comments, and I definitely don’t want someone telling me how to live my life.” He said and then he sighed.  “It’s this damn dream.”

 

“Dream?” Kevin asked a little confused.  AJ told Kevin about the dream he had, what he saw, what happened and how he felt while in the dream and when he woke up.

 

“I’ve never had a dream that intense before and now every time I see her I feel just a small amount of disappointment come over me because she doesn’t have that little girl in her arms.” He said as he picked at a small piece of plastic sticking up from the chair.  “And I know our future won’t be exactly that but the thought of something like that, it feels more than right to me.”

 

“I think you just answered yourself man, you didn’t need me.” Kevin replied with a little smile as he sat back.  “Really who’s going to bitch once people get over the initial shock? You’re Mom seems to be getting to know her and Brian, well Brian is Brian.” Kevin replied shaking his head and then rolling his eyes a little.  “It’s not like you have to go through all that bullshit again, you’ve been there and you’ve done the first date thing.”

 

“Yeah” AJ replied with a nod.  “I dunno, like I said it’s probably the dream that has me all worked up.”

 

The back patio door opened and Nick poked his head out. “We’re getting ready to go, gonna grab something to it before we head to the airport.”

 

“Ok” Kevin replied as he stood up and Nick left the doorway.  “Thought he was on a diet?” He asked and it made AJ laugh with a shrug.

 

He followed his friend inside and walked them all to Eve’s office where they said goodbye to her.  When they all started shuffling out of the house AJ followed them and said goodbye one more time before they all got into their cars and headed out.  Walking back into the house he closed the door behind him and walked back into Eve’s office but she was going out as he was going in.  They bumped into each other and AJ took her by the arms making sure he didn’t knock her over.

 

“Sorry” They both said at the same time.

 

“Everything ok?” AJ asked still holding her arms.

 

“Yeah, I’m done in here was thinking about making something to eat.” She replied with a light smile.  He stepped back at let her walk through and as she walked down the hall to the kitchen he followed.

 

“So how are things going with the restaurant?” AJ asked as he leaned against the counter top.

 

“Almost settled.” She replied.

 

“Really?” AJ said a little stunned.

 

“Once the papers go through my realtor will put the land up for sale.” Eve told him as she prepared something to it.

 

“For sale?” AJ asked confused.  “Aren’t you going to re open?”

 

“No” She replied lightly shaking her head.  He looked at her and waited for her too say something more but she didn’t. 

 

“Eve?” AJ spoke as he put his hand on her arm.

 

“I just don’t have it in me right now to start over and it would just be a money sink paying rent on the land.” Eve sighed as she looked at him. 

 

“But what about everything you worked for?” He asked.

 

“Mats had his friends blow it up.” Eve replied a little bitter and her tone made AJ frown.

 

“Evie” AJ sighed as he went to pull her into a hug but she stopped him.

 

“It’s ok Alex really, I’m fine.” She told him as she looked at him and her eyes told him something different. “I’ll be fine.”  She then turned back to the counter and finished preparing them a small meal.  He decided to drop it for now, there was something more there and he wanted to know what it was.

 

“So did you get to talk to the guys about recording?” Eve asked as the couple sat at the table eating.

 

“Yeah we’re going to go back in to the studio next week, should give me enough time to deal with the DA and that.” He told her as he scooped up another fork full of food.  “Speaking of which Detective Ozwith hasn’t been by yet.”

 

“Maybe she got tied up with something.” Eve replied and AJ looked at her as she stared at the bowl in front of her.  The look in her eyes didn’t say ‘out of it’ more like a deep thought kind of look.

 

He couldn’t hold it in any longer.  “Did I do something?” He asked and she looked up at him confused.  “Was it last night?”

 

“Last night? No, no last night was amazing.” She told him as she took his hand.  “Why do you think you did something?”

 

“The stuff with not reopening the restaurant, selling the house, and the way you’ve been acting.” He told her.  “You’ve been quiet and hiding in your office.  You know if something is bothering you, you can talk to me.”

 

“I know” Eve replied quietly.

 

“Then talk to me” He said as he lightly squeezed her hand.

 

“When the guys showed up it got me thinking about how you’ll be going back to California and I’d be here.” She told him.  “So after talking to my insurance company and realtor I decided to just sell everything, I have to start over anyways right?”

 

“Yeah but where will you go?” He asked with concern.

 

“Well, I was thinking California.” She replied and he lightly smiled.  “I’m sorry if I worried you, I’ve just been busy on the phone and had a lot to sort out in my head plus Kevin and the others were here, so I was letting you spend time with them.”

 

“Do you think you’d open a restaurant in California?” He asked.

 

“I dunno, that’s a crazy market. There’s so many amazing Chef’s there and a lot of restaurants.” Eve replied with a sigh.  “Besides like I said I really don’t want to start the process all over again right now, I just want to get over what happened and be with you.”

 

AJ lightly smiled at her satisfied with her answer and then started eating again.  He was also distracted by the thought of her going to Cali, moving to Cali, she’d be right there and then his mind thought about her going on tour with him.  The thought made him even more excited about what she said.   

Chapter 23 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                      Chapter Twenty-Three

 

           

            The sun shone down as AJ laid on the reclining chair as people bustled around him.  His eyes were hidden by the sunglasses blocking the sun and no one could see him staring at Eve.  She sat on the pools edge talking to Kristin as her legs dangled in the water.  Her brown hair was still damp from the swim she took earlier and yes he watched her then too.  The bathing suit she wore was a one piece much to his dismay but she probably had enough guys gawking at her and chose the less reviling suit.  Something Kristin said made her smile and laugh and a small grin broke from the corner of his mouth.

 

“You better turn over.” Nick said as he sat down beside AJ but he didn’t hear his friend his mind still fixated on Eve.

 

They got back from Nashville yesterday afternoon, the DA had a pretty open and shut case.  Her mood changed too when they got here, she smiled more, and seemed more relaxed.  Like now how she was with Kristin, laughing, joking and having a good time.  A feeling of content came over him but it didn’t feel like she never left, it was more of a this was how it was suppose to be feeling and it started to replace the pain and hole that was left when she left.

 

“Hello?!” Nick said as he waved his hand in front of AJ’s face and pulled his eyes from Eve.

 

“What?” AJ replied annoyed as he looked at Nick.  His friend followed to where his eyes use to be and then he looked back at AJ.

 

 “Perv.” Nick smirked.

 

“I was looking at my girlfriend.” AJ said.

 

“So she’s your girlfriend now?” Nick asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied with a sigh.

 

“Just your girlfriend?” Nick asked.

 

“Shut up before I hit you.” AJ sighed as his friend smiled brightly at him.

 

“Just be sure you thank me at the wedding.” Nick replied as he sat back in his chair.  AJ rolled his eyes as he looked away from his friend and back to the pool, he almost let a frown slip when he saw she wasn’t there.  He started to look around his back yard and caught her and Kristin heading into the house. 

 

“So how long is she staying?” Nick asked.

 

“I’m not sure.” AJ replied with a light shrug.

 

“Hopefully for a while.” Nick sighed as he stood up and walked over to Kevin before AJ had a chance to say anything.  Not that he was mad at the comment he actually agreed with it.  In fact over the last couple of days he’s been thinking of a way to make sure she stays.

 

AJ walked out back to clean up.  Picking his jacket up from a chair he folded it in his arms and the black box fell out of the pocket.

 

“Damn it.” He sighed as he bent down and picked it up.  Standing at the table he stared at it for a moment and then opened it up as he sat down on a patio chair.  Looking at the ring he smiled, he remembered back to a couple of weeks ago when he found it, he knew right away that was the one and when he had their birthstones put in it he knew it was perfect.  The feeling washed away as his eyes filled with tears, he wanted her to be happy, to be her own woman, it was all he ever wanted but he never thought he’d have to give her up in order for it to happen.

 

“AJ?” Eve said and he looked up quickly as he snapped the box shut and tucked it under his jacket.

 

“Hey” He said wiping his eyes.  “Just cleaning up.”

 

“Alex” Eve frowned and reached for his hands, he jumped and dropped the box again.  They both bent down to pick it up but he beat her too it.  “It’s a gorgeous ring.” She told him as he held the box in his hand.  He didn’t say anything he just kept staring at the box not wanting her to see the pain in his eyes.  Gently he took her hand and placed the box in the palm and closed her fingers around it.

 

“I want you to have it.” He told her and then quickly stood up.

 

“What? No Alex I can’t take this…” She told him but he had already started to walk away.  Eve followed him into the house and caught up with him in the hallway.  “Wait Alex, I can’t take this.” She said as she turned him around. 

 

“Please.” He sobbed gently pushing her hand with the ring towards her.  “I…I think I need some time alone now.”

 

His mind flashed to another memory.

 

The sound of his car door closing was much louder than usual as he stared at the house in front of him.  He lived there but it seemed like a strange place because when he walks into that house half of it will be gone.  Her clothes no longer in the closet or dresser, her cooking no longer filling his house with stomach rumbling smells and his bed would be empty when he got into tonight.  With a sigh and a zombie like stare he walked towards the front door and opened it. 

 

Tossing his keys onto the table by the door he walked into his living room and headed towards the couch.  That’s when he saw it, the little black box sitting on top of an envelope.  He closed his eyes, he had wished she kept it; he bought it for her and wanted her to remember, to remember what they had and even to remember what she gave up so she could be over there.  AJ slumped down onto the couch and stared at the object in front of him for a moment. Sitting forward he reached for the box with one hand and the envelope with the other.  He looked at the black box for another second and then set it down beside him, turning his attention to the envelope.  The flap opened and he pulled the piece of paper from the inside and lifted the folded edges.

 

“Alex!” Someone called out to him and he looked up a little confused as his thoughts rushed away.  “Alex something’s wrong with Eve.” Kristin said as she walked over to him.  Quickly he got up from his chair as everyone looked at him and Kristin confused.  “She went upstairs.” Kristin told him as they walked into the kitchen. 

 

Skipping steps as he made his way up to the second floor and into his room he saw her sitting on the bed crying, shaking a little and her breathing was short.  He closed the door behind him and walked over to the bed, kneeling in front of her.

 

“Evelyn what’s wrong?” He asked.  She said nothing but held open her hand and he looked down, there he saw her Ativan bottle in her hand.  “Did you take one already?” He asked as his body began to relax a little knowing it wasn’t anything life threatening. Her panic attacks had apparently picked back up since the kidnapping, she had one at least once a day, either she could just calm herself through it or sometimes like now she needed the pills.  Only problem with the pills is they usually knocked her out.  

 

Eve quickly nodded as he sat on the bed beside her, wrapping his arm around her waist and the other one around her he pulled Eve into his arms helping to calm her.  A couple of minutes later she was calm but he continued to hold her in an embrace.

 

Then she slowly pulled away.  “I need to lie down.” She said as she looked at him with half open eyes.

 

“Ok” He replied with a light smile as he got from the bed and helped her slide back to the pillows.  “I’ll make sure the horde downstairs saves you some food.”

 

She lightly laughed as he pulled the blankets over her and then he sat down and held her hand as she drifted off to sleep.  His eyes drifted from her over to his dresser beside the bathroom door.  He looked back to her and then laid her hand down as he stood up.  Walking over to the dresser AJ opened the second drawer and reached inside.  He didn’t reach into the clothes though; he actually reached to the top under the first drawer.  His hand patted around until it felt it and smiled as he pulled his hand out, seeing the black box in his fingers.

 

He had learned his lesson and not kept it in his jewelry box, to many girls wondering whose ring that was and when he made the mistake of telling one of them well, all hell broke loose.  Sliding the box into his pocket he looked behind him at Eve and saw her still sleeping soundly.  He walked out of the room, quietly closing the door and then headed back down to his back patio with his friends.

 

“Is she ok?” Kevin asked as everyone sat around the table.

 

“Yeah, just a panic attack, she’ll be ok after she naps.” AJ told them as he sat down.

 

“Is that why she went…you know at the house.” Nick circled his finger around the side of his head which everyone knew meant crazy and Kevin responded with a smack to the arm.

 

“That’s just rude, damn kid.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Shut up.” Nick shot back as he rubbed his arm.  “And hello not a kid anymore.”

 

“Than baby start acting like it.” Kevin snapped glaring at him.

 

“Some things never change.” AJ sighed as he sat back and the table giggled.

 

“How long has she been having them?” Kristin asked.

 

“For a while, since she moved to New York after her internship I guess but they’ve picked back up because of what happened, so her doctor said they should ease up.” AJ told them as they all stared at him.  “Anyways the foods ready so let’s grub up.” He said as he stood up from the table.

Chapter 24 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                      Chapter Twenty-Four

 

           

            AJ sat on one of the studio chairs backwards and rested his head on his arms as they sat across the back of the chair.  He tapped his foot to the music but his mind wasn’t on it in fact he was so lost in his thoughts he didn’t hear Howie ask him about the tempo.

 

“Hey!” Howie shouted as a hand flashed in front of his face.

 

“Yo” AJ replied snapping too.

 

“Did you hear me?” Howie asked.

 

“Nope” AJ replied lightly shaking his head.

 

“How does the tempo sound?” His friend asked him.

 

“Fine”

 

“Just fine?” Howie asked.

 

“Ok stellar.” AJ replied sarcastically and Howie rolled his eyes to the comment.

 

“Ugh come on Alex concentrate this is the last song and then we’re done.” Brian sighed.

 

“I am, the damn tempo sounds fine.” AJ barked back at Brian.

 

“He’s to busy thinking about Eve naked on a beach.” Nick joked.

 

“Nick” Both Howie and Brian sighed.

 

“He’s right.” AJ replied even though it wasn’t on his mind, he’d thought he would play along, and smiled in triumph as Brian rolled his eyes.

 

“When are the two of you leaving?” Howie asked.

 

“Tonight”

 

“That soon?” Brian asked turning back around.

 

“Yes”

 

“Why?” He asked.

 

“Because…” AJ replied getting defensive towards Brian’s integration.

 

“What’s with the twenty questions dude?” Nick asked.

 

“Well what if we need to fix something we have to wait for him to get back?” Brian asked.

 

“It’ll take me as much time to fly back from Maui then for you to fly back from Atlanta and besides we’re just going for the weekend, a little R and R, I think we both deserve it.” AJ told him.

 

“Yeah and I have plans too, so if there is something that needs to be fixed it can wait till Monday.” Nick spoke up quickly.

 

“Is she still having those panic attacks?” Howie asked as Brian sulked in his chair.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.  “Hoping this weekend will help a bit.”

 

“Well I hope you two have fun.” Nick said to AJ but meant the comment for Brian.

 

“Four” AJ replied and everyone looked at him confused.

 

“Four?” His friends replied.

 

“Kevin and Kristin are coming; they’re staying in the cabin next to us.”

 

“Now I’m hurt and take back my words of fun wishing.” Nick pouted.

 

“It wasn’t like I planned it, Eve told Kris and the two got talking, next thing I know it’s couples thing.” AJ replied with a small smile at Nick’s joke.

 

“Can we please finish this?” Brian spoke up and the other three looked at him.

 

“Yes Kevin.” AJ and Nick replied and then busted out laughing.

 

Brian made them go through the song a couple of more times before he was satisfied enough to call it.  AJ sighed as they all stood outside the studio doors, the album was done this part of its journey, now it was waiting to see what Jive said and where they went from there. 

 

As he drove home he thought about how Brian had acted at the recording studio.  He wondered if Kevin said anything to him but then thought better of it, if Brian knew what he was up to in Maui he would have let it be known back at the studio.  AJ was proud at how cool he played it but on the inside he was just a buddle of nerves.  The front light was on when he pulled up to his house and shut the car off.

 

When he opened the door he saw their bags sitting on the floor by the closet.  Closing the door and locking it he walked down the hall and poked his head into the kitchen, he smiled when he saw her sitting at the table reading.

 

“All ready?” He asked as she looked up.

 

“Yep” She replied with a smile.  “Are Kris and Kev meeting us at the airport?”

 

“Yeah, they’ll be at the gate.” He told her as he sat down and stole a sip of her juice.

 

“So how come you just invited Kevin and Kristin?” Eve asked as she took back her glass.

 

“Just thought it would be something fun and it’s been a while since I’ve spent time with them because of recording and all.” He replied as he got up and grabbed a can of Dew.  “You don’t mind right?”

 

“No, just as long as we get our alone time.” She replied as she walked up behind him and wrapped her arms around him.

 

“Don’t worry we’ll get lots of that.” He replied as he turned around.  Leaning his head down he gently kissed her and then slid the can of soda under the back of her shirt, she yelled and jumped letting go of him as he busted out laughing.

 

“Jerk.” She said as she slapped his arm and started to walk away but he grabbed her arm and spun her back around.

 

“I’m sorry.” He replied leaning down and kissing her again.

 

“You’re lucky you’re a good kisser.” She quietly replied as he pulled away.

 

“Among other things?” He asked with sly smile and she started to laugh.

 

“We should get going.” Eve said nodding to the clock on the microwave.

 

AJ pouted as he followed her out of the kitchen and down the hall to the front door.  He loaded the trunk up with their bags and then locked the house up.  Within a couple of minutes the couple was on their way to LAX.  When they got there they checked in and then made their way through security. 

 

“So I wonder if he’s late.” AJ said as they stopped at a stand to get a coffee since they had some time before the flight left.

 

“Nope” Eve said as she pointed over his shoulder and he turned around to look where she was pointing.  He saw Kevin and Kristin sitting beside each other reading a piece of paper.  They grabbed their coffee and headed over to the couple that sat in the gate area.

 

“Hey” AJ said as they approached them and the couple looked up.

 

“Hi” Kristin smiled as she stood up and hugged Eve and then AJ.

 

“Hey man how’s the cd coming?” Kevin asked as the two friends hugged.

 

“So far done, we’ll see what Jive says.” AJ replied with a shrug.

 

“The thought of the four of you on tour with out me is terrifying.” Kevin sighed as Eve and AJ sat down across from them.

 

“I think it’ll be peaceful without you and Nicky going at each other.” AJ replied with a sly smile.

 

“Naw, it’ll be you and Brian going at it now.” Kevin replied back with the same sly smile.  “And I’d rather deal with a brat than a prick.”

 

“Kevin.” Kristin sighed.

 

“He’s my cousin I can call him whatever.” Kevin said quickly.

 

The two couples sat talking as they waited for their plane to board and as AJ picked at his coffee cup he looked at Eve.  She had the widest smile and her eyes shone brightly as she laughed at Kevin and Kristin bickering.  It was nice seeing her happy and not just because of what happened because of everything.  No one should go through the hell she went through, the loss she went through, and what she had to do to get by. 

 

“Flight 42MLA to Maui now boarding.” The woman’s voice broke from the speaker and AJ felt his stomach flutter.

 

“Yay” Kristin and Eve cheered as the two girls walked to the boarding line.

 

“So, you ready?” Kevin asked as they walked a few feet behind the girls.  AJ shot him a look and Kevin smiled.  “Are you ready?” He whispered jokingly.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied rolling his eyes.

 

“What if she says no?” He asked.

 

“Than she says no.” AJ replied with a shrug.  “I just don’t want to wait anymore; I’ve waited long enough for someone like her.” 

 

Kevin patted him on the back as they walked up to the stewardess.  He handed the woman his ticket and ID then walked up to Eve as she waited for him near the loading dock.  He took her hand and they walked together down to the plane door.

 

“It’ll be late when we get to the cabin so we’re just going to crash and do something for breakfast.” AJ told her as they sat down in their seats.

 

“Cool” Eve nodded as she sat down and placed her bag at her feet.

 

“Glad to be going back?” He asked.

 

“Yeah, I can’t believe you got the same cabin though.” She smiled.

 

“It was a nice cabin.” AJ replied as Kevin poked his head over the seat.

 

“We share a beach so no kinky stuff in the middle of the night.”

 

“Tell your wife.” AJ  jabbed back.

 

“Excuse me?” Kristin replied turning around.  AJ started laughing and Kevin did too as both girls just rolled their eyes. 

 

The couple turned around when the announcement about the plane pulling out came across the speakers.  Laying his head back as they began their accent into the air, AJ closed his eyes and relaxed.  The sounds and voices around him started to fade away and then soon they were gone, replaced by the echoes of a dream.

 

AJ felt something flutter against his face and his eyes slowly opened.  Looking back at him, barely above the top of the bed were a pair of bright blue eyes and a smile that would melt the coldest of hearts.  He stared at the little girl, who could not have been older than three, as she pulled herself up onto the bed. 

 

“Hi” AJ said too her as she looked at him.

 

“Lily” Eve said as she walked into the room.  “Sorry I turn my back for one minute and she took off down the hall.”

 

AJ smiled as he heard the little girl laugh in his ear and pulled on his neck. “It’s ok.” He said as he looked at Lily.

 

“She’s getting to smart for her own good.” Eve sighed.  “She saw your shoes and bag downstairs and realized you were home, she missed you.”

 

“Well I missed her too.” He said as he looked at the little girl.

 

The plane began to rock and AJ’s eyes shot open; he looked around and saw the people around him and Eve reading beside him.  “Damn” he mumbled as he sat up.

 

“Turbulence woke you up?” Eve asked as she looked up from her book.

 

“uh, yeah.” AJ replied shaking the dream from his mind.  “How long was I asleep?” He asked.

 

“Couple of hours.” Eve replied as she closed her book over.  “You ok, you look a little razzled.”

 

“Yeah, I hate waking up from turbulence, not sure what’s going on.” He replied with a light smile.  Which wasn’t really the truth, he was thinking about the little girl, Lily.  She smiled at him as she took his hand, then let it go as she opened her book and started reading again.

 

 

Chapter 25 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                      Chapter Twenty-Five

 

            “Has Kris called yet?” AJ shouted out to the living room as he walked out of the bathroom in the cabin bedroom.

 

“Nope” Kevin replied as he looked up.

 

“I think I’m ready.” AJ said to himself as he walked in front of the mirror.  He wore a pair of black linen pants, a white Chinese linen shirt, sandals, and a white fedora with black stitching sat on top his head.  “Now, glasses or no glasses?” AJ asked from the room.

 

“No glasses.” Kevin said as his cell rang.

 

“Is that them?” AJ asked as his head popped out from the doorway.

 

“Yes” Kevin replied with a smile towards AJ’s nervousness. “Hello?” He answered into the phone as AJ stared at him.  “Ok” Kevin replied.

 

AJ waited for the phone to close and then spoke. “Are they on their way?”

 

“Yes” Kevin said standing up.

 

“Ok” AJ sighed as he walked back into the bedroom and looked himself over one more time.

 

“I’ll be outside.” Kevin told him before he walked out the back door of AJ and Eve’s cabin.  “Good luck man.”

 

“Thanks” AJ replied as he stepped out of the room and sighed.

 

He sat down on the couch and pulled the black box from the pocket of his pants.  The leather casing made a cracking noise as he opened it and looked inside to see the engagement ring sitting in its little bed.  Taking a deep breath he closed the box and placed it back in his pocket for safe keeping.  About ten minutes after Kevin got his phone call Eve and Kristin walked into the cabin.

 

“Where’s my husband?” Kristin asked as she smiled at how well AJ looked.

 

“Out back.” AJ replied returning the smile as she walked past him and out the back doors.

 

“What are you all dressed up for?” Eve asked as she walked over too him.

 

“Don’t like it?” He asked.

 

“No you look amazing but I didn’t know we were going out again.” She replied as he wrapped her in his arms.

 

“We’re not going out.”

 

“Oh?” She replied confused.

 

Taking her hands AJ walked her around the couch and sat her down.  “Nope.” He replied.  “I have something I want to tell you.”

 

“Ok” Eve said a little unsure.

 

“Back in Nashville, when I was in the house by myself after you escaped, I kept thinking about how much time we’ve wasted, time wasted worrying about what others thought and wasted time being stubborn towards our own feelings. I thought…” AJ paused and took a deep breath.  “I thought I might never see you again and it killed me to think about the years we lost.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out the black box, the light gasp that escaped Eve’s lips confirmed she remembered it.

 

“Alex” Eve said looking at him.

 

“I thought about asking you to marry me but just asking you is not enough for me anymore.  To much time has slipped away, I want to be your husband Eve and I want you to be my wife.” He told her and her eyes went a little wider.  “It’s why I brought you out here, it’s why Kevin and Kristin are here, I want us to get married right now, today, if you say yes.” He said as he opened the box.  His eyes didn’t break from her as her eyes stared at the ring sitting inside. 

 

“Married now?” She replied as she looked at him.

 

“Yeah” AJ said as he lightly nodded.  “Kevin and Kristin are out back with the minister and my Mom.”

 

“Your mom’s here.” Eve said and he heard the small amount of panic in her voice.

 

“I had to do a lot of talking to get her to come but I knew you would say no if she wasn’t here.” He told her.  “This is so right Evelyn and I know you can feel it, I know deep down you want it too.” Then he stopped talking and held his breath not on purpose as he waited for her answer.

 

Eve looked at the ring, stared at the ring as he held it out for her, then she took a deep breath and her eyes went back to AJ.  “Yes” She said and even though it was the answer he wanted his insides exploded as a smile broke from his lips.  He couldn’t believe she had actually said yes. 

 

Taking the ring into his finger he slipped it on and looked at it as it sat perfectly on the finger it was meant for all those years ago.  A tear dripped from his eye as he looked at her and saw she was crying too.  He closed his hand around hers and leaned in, kissing her.  When they pulled away he rested his forehead against hers.

 

“I love you” He whispered as he tried to calm his tears.

 

“I love you too.” She replied with a soft smile.  They kissed again and then embraced into a hug.  When he pulled away he wiped her eyes and smiled.

 

“There’s a dress for you on the back of the bedroom door.” He told her and she lightly laughed.

 

“Ok” She replied as her and AJ stood up.

 

“I’ll be here when you’re ready.” He told her before giving her another kiss. 

 

AJ waited for the bedroom door to close before letting his excitement be known as he did a quiet happy dance in the middle of the room.  Then he composed himself and walked over to the patio door.  He looked out down the beach and saw Kevin, Kristin, his Mom and the Minister waiting.  When he saw Kevin waving he smiled and gave them the thumbs up.  He smiled as Kristin clapped and hugged her husband.  His eyes drifted to his Mom but he couldn’t see her expression.  About fifteen minutes later Eve walked out of the bedroom in the dress AJ had entrusted Kristin to buy for her.

 

“I hope I didn’t take to long.” Eve said as she walked over to him.

 

“No” He replied still in a little awe at how she looked, the way the cotton sundress hung down her body, the way her hair was loosely wrapped into a bun and the way her face gleamed with only a little dash of makeup.  “You look beautiful.” He told her as he took her hand.  “I hope you like the dress.”

 

“I do, did you pick it out?” She asked.

 

“No” AJ lightly laughed.  “I got Kris to get it.” Eve smiled as they leaned in and kissed.  “Are you sure you want to do this?” He asked as they pulled away.

 

“Yes” She replied with a soft smile.  “Now that I’ve had a little time to think about it, I do want too.”  AJ smiled back taking her hand and the couple walked out of the cabin together.  They were greeted by Kevin, Kristin and Denise.

 

“We’re ready.” AJ said as he walked up to them.

 

AJ and Eve walked side by side up to the Minister and when the Minister told them too, they took each others hands and faced each other.  He spoke about love and how precious it was, he spoke about when two people find something as fragile as love they both have a duty to protect it and let nothing break it.  Eve lightly smiled at AJ as the Minister asked him if he had anything he would like to say to Eve.

 

            “I ask you to share this world with me, respecting each other; we commit to live our lives together for all the days to come.  I ask you to share this world with me.  Be my partner, and I will be yours so together we can protect what we have and never let it slip away from us again.” He said as a tear fell from her eye. The Minister than turned to Eve and asked if she had anything to say to AJ.

 

Taking a deep breath Eve spoke. “You showed me I could have a life I never dreamed possible, because of you Alex; I know what love feels like. You showed me I am worth loving even if I screw up, even though my past isn’t perfect, and I will spend the rest of my life showing you how grateful I am to have your love.”

 

Now it was AJ’s turn to tear up and he would have been fine if he hadn’t looked over at his Mom who was now crying quietly.  The Minister asked for the rings and AJ couldn’t help but smile at the confused look on Eve’s face.  He turned to Kevin and his friend handed him the two white gold wedding rings. AJ then gave them to the Minister.  First he gave AJ his ring to put on Eve and they revised the words that were said at almost every wedding ceremony.

 

“With this ring I thee wed and promise to protect, honor and love you for as long as we both shall live.” AJ repeated after the Minister.  The man than handed Eve the ring she was to give to AJ and had her repeat the same words.

 

AJ smiled brightly at her as the ring rested at the bottom of his finger and she returned the smile.  The Minister than read a short poem before he said the words AJ had been hoping to hear since he put the plan into motion.

 

“I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss your bride.” The man spoke with a proud smile.  As their lips touched AJ slipped his arm around her waist and embraced his wife for the first time.

           

Chapter 26 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                        Chapter Twenty-Six

 

AJ sat at the patio table, a glass of Ice Tea in front of him he watched Eve, Kristin, Kevin and even his Mom danced to the music that flowed from the cabin.  He smiled as he looked down at the white gold ring that sat around his finger.  It finally happened, something he thought he would never know, something that would never happen, he was now married, a husband, and not to some chick who wanted a better career, not to some woman who acted one way but was really the complete opposite.  Eve was everything he ever wanted in a wife, a lover, friend, partner and it gave him goose bumps as he thought about the future.   His thumb stroke across the ring as a shadow caught his eye and he looked up.  He smiled when he saw his Mom sitting down.

 

“Shouldn’t you be dancing?” She asked nodding towards Eve.

 

“I’ve got lots of time for dancing.” He replied as he looked at her.  His eyes drifted back to his Mom.  “Thanks for coming.”

 

“I wouldn’t miss your wedding day and like Tony said you could have not told me at all.” She replied with a light sigh.

 

“Eve would have never said yes if you weren’t here.  She’d know you’d be angry at her for it.”

 

“I don’t hate her Alex.” Denise replied with a sigh. “I just worry about the future.”

 

“What do you mean?” He asked.

 

“I worry because I know how much you want a family and…” AJ interrupted her.

 

“I can still have that with Eve Ma, I know it sucks that biologically they won’t be mine but you and I both know that doesn’t mean anything.” He told her.  Denise lightly smiled and he waited for her to reply but Eve, Kevin and Kristin walked up to the table.

 

“We’re heading out.” Kevin said as he nodded towards his cabin.

 

“Cool” AJ said standing up.

 

“Yeah, I better get going too.” Denise said as she stood up too.  “I will see everyone at breakfast.”  She told them as she hugged AJ and it put him at ease when she hugged Eve too.  He walked them to the door and waved goodbye as everyone went their separate ways.  When he turned around he saw Eve closing the back door and he stood there watching her. His mind started to wonder again.

 

“Alex?” She said and he blinked.  “Everything ok?”

 

“Yeah” He replied with a light nod.  “Just looking at my beautiful wife.” And the words made her smile.  “I hope today was good enough.” He told her as he wrapped her in his arms.

 

“It was perfect.” She replied before she leaned in and kissed him. 

 

AJ scooped Eve up in his arms and carried her into the bedroom; he walked her over to the bed and gently laid her down as their lips lovingly caressed each others.  He laid down on his side as the couple did nothing but kiss lovingly and passionately.  They let their hands slither around their bodies undressing each other.

 

A softhearted moan broke from her lips as AJ slid into her, their lips still not parting.  His hand floated along her side barely touching her soft skin as it made its way to her neck.  Gently he tilted her head back and let his lips part from hers and drift their way down her jaw.  His other hand held her leg against him as he slowly thrusted into her.  When she grabbed the pillow beside her and gasped, her legs tightened around him and he grabbed her hand tangling their fingers together.  He felt her nails on her free hand gently scrape up his back and stopped when her fingers webbed through his hair.

 

Sitting up a little on his arm still keeping the slow love making pace he started with, his eyes locked on hers.  Her fingers drifted down his jaw line, down his cheek, before she brought her lips to his and kissed him.  AJ took his time making sure their first time as husband and wife was passionate but not rushed.  When she rolled him over however and began to take over, the thirst for each other became deeper.

 

Eve’s body collapsed against his and he took her in a trembling embrace.  They breathed heavily as they waited for their bodies to calm.  Reaching down to the blankets they had kicked around, AJ pulled the sheets over them and wrapped her in his arms again.  He drifted his fingers down her arm, over the back of her hand and took her ring finger in his.  His thumb caressed her rings as he gently kissed her.

 

She lightly smiled and whispered. “I love you.”

 

“And I love you.” He whispered back before kissing her again.

 

AJ tilted his head up as she rested hers against his neck; he closed his eyes and sighed to himself.  A few minutes later he noticed her breathing had deepened.  Realizing she was asleep and he was wide awake, AJ carefully slipped his arm from under her and crawled out of bed slowly.  He threw on his pants, grabbed his cigarettes and walked out to the living room.  Opening the patio doors AJ slipped out into the warm Maui night and sat down at the patio table.  Tapping out a cigarette, he put it in his mouth and lit it, exhaling as he looked out to the spot where he was married.  He smiled at the picture of her standing there in her dress, the light breeze blowing the thin strips of hair against her neck, her eyes full of tears but yet they beamed with joy.

 

As he butted the smoke out and disposed of it and then walked through the patio doors, he started to laugh to himself.  A new thought popped into his head.  “Brian’s gonna shit himself.” He snickered as he closed the doors and joined Eve back in bed.

 

The next morning he woke up to the sound of people outside his bedroom door laughing.  Slowly he picked his head up off the pillow and listened.  When he realized it was at least Kevin and Kristin he sluggishly pulled himself out of bed.  They must be here waiting to go to breakfast, which meant his Mom was here too.  He walked himself into the bathroom off of the bedroom and got into the shower before getting dressed. 

 

“About damn time.” Kevin snipped as AJ walked out of the room, freshly cleaned.

 

“Bite me douche bag.” AJ replied with a chipper joking tone. 

 

“Alex” Denise sighed, she hated when he swore but especially when he used one of his favorite words, ‘douche bag’.

 

“Hi Ma” He replied with a boyish smile as he quickly kissed her. 

 

When he looked up he saw Eve in the little kitchen off of the living room and he couldn’t help but smile.  He walked across the room and walked up beside her, wrapping his arm around her waist and softly kissing her on the neck as she poured a glass of orange juice. 

 

“Morning” He said with an adoring smile.

 

“Morning” She replied and returned the smile. 

 

AJ looked back when he heard Kevin’s cell phone go off.  “Turn that damn thing off.” He barked as Kevin opened the phone.

 

“Hello?” Kevin answered as he flipped AJ off.

 

“Oh” AJ giggled as he looked at Eve and she snickered.

 

“Dude, slow down.” He heard Kevin say and he looked over at his friend.  Then when Kevin’s head shut up and his eyes looked right at AJ it made his stomach turn.  “How?” Was all Kevin said.  “No, no you can’t talk to him.”

 

“What the hell…” AJ whispered wondering what was going on.

 

“Well his cell is off.” Kevin spoke again.  AJ started to walk out of kitchen to get his phone in the bedroom when Kevin waving his arms like a mad man stopped him from going.  He looked at his friend confused as the man shook his head.  “Let me call you back…let me call you back.” Kevin said getting annoyed.

 

When Kevin closed his phone AJ spoke up.  “What the hell is going on?”

 

“Apparently Britney is staying on this beach somewhere.” Kevin told him.

 

“So” AJ replied still confused.

 

“So it looks like a couple of paparazzi stumbled onto the wedding and for some odd reason the pictures or tearing up the internet, Perez was all over it and TMZ too, and now ET has been calling your management and Jive for an exclusive” Kevin told him as he rolled his eyes and moaned.  “Oh and Brian knows.” He said trying to lighten the mood.

 

“So it’ll go away in a couple of days, it usually does with you guys right?” Kristin spoke up.

 

“Not if ET wants the story.” AJ and Kevin replied at the same time.

 

“They’ve always blocked us when they could for some reason but it must mean something if they want it.” Kevin said looking at AJ.

 

“My mail box must be full.” AJ sighed as he opened the bedroom door.  He walked over to the night stand and grabbed his phone turning it on.  As soon as it powered up it rang and Brian’s number flashed onto the screen.

 

“I told you.” Kevin barked from the living room.  AJ sent the call to his voice mail and then shut his phone off with a sigh.

 

“Well what did you guys do last time; they only bothered you for a couple of days.” He heard Kristin say from the living room.

 

“We told them it’s none of their business and moved on, but no comment doesn’t work these days.” Kevin told her with a sigh.

 

“Yeah no comment means you might as well give them the full story.” AJ sighed as he walked out to the living room.  He looked over to Eve who was still standing in the kitchen; she stared at the glass in her hand.

 

“Do you still want to do breakfast?” Denise asked when Kevin’s cell went off again.

 

“It’s Brian.” Kevin sighed looking at his phone.  AJ closed his eyes and sighed as he rubbed his temples.  “What?” Kevin answered.

 

AJ walked into the kitchen and over to Eve.  “What do you want to do?”

 

“Let’s just go for breakfast.” She replied and he saw the force smile on her face.

 

“If there are any paps at the gates, we’re turning around and we’ll do breakfast here.” He told her.

 

“It’s ok.” She replied as she set the empty glass down.  “I need to get use to it; this is going to be my life anyways, right?” AJ lightly smiled but he worried about her, the last thing he needed was for her to get swarmed and have a panic attack in front of twenty cameras. 

 

“Alright, let’s head out then.” AJ said as he looked at Kevin who was hanging up his cell.

 

 

           

           

Chapter 27 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                      Chapter Twenty-Seven

 

           

            AJ and Eve sat in AJ’s car slowly driving to his house.  People shouted at him through his car as the flash of bulbs went off lighting the car up.  He slowly drove down the street to his house trying not to hit anyone but the way these people were acting he wanted nothing more than to just step on the gas.  They were pounding on his car trying to get a good shot of the couple.  It wasn’t this bad when everyone had left Maui, some pap’s at the airport but there were more waiting for them when they got to LAX.  They followed them home to where there were more paparazzo’s waiting for them on his street and at his house. 

 

            When he pulled into his driveway only a few pap’s followed him, he looked over to Eve and she sat there still, staring at her hands.  “I’ll come around and grab you then we’ll head right in ok?” He said as he took her hand but all she did was nod.  He turned the car off and opened the door.

 

“AJ, did you and Eve get married?” Someone shouted.

 

“AJ, how was the honeymoon?” Someone else shouted as he walked over to the passenger door.

 

“Back up!” AJ snapped on a couple of pap’s who didn’t listen to him.  Shoving them back since they blocked Eve’s door he quickly opened it and took her hand as she got out.

 

“Eve, have anything to say to the millions of girls who’s hearts are broken right now?” Someone shouted at her as AJ wrapped his arm around her and they headed for the door.

 

“Eve any word on what Mats says about the wedding?” Another person shouted and that sent AJ’s blood pressure through the roof and he spun around ready to deck the closest Photographer he saw but Eve grabbed his arm and stopped him.  Trying to let the anger pass AJ quickly unlocked the door ushered Eve inside and then slammed it closed as people yelled for answers and took pictures.  Locking the door and setting the alarm AJ sighed.  It had been a while since he got attention like that.  But even back then people had boundaries; it seems it’s not like that anymore.

 

Walking into the living room AJ picked up the phone and began to make some calls to help clear up the mess outside the house.  He looked at the answering machine and saw the large number flashing, it made him feel exhausted.  Putting his head in his hands he softly moaned as he rubbed his eyes.  What were the odds that when he pulled something as spontaneous as the wedding that Britney would be on the same damn island, same damn weekend, and his whole world would be flipped upside down.

 

With another deep sigh he stood up and walked into the kitchen where Eve was sitting at the table.  “Are you ok?” He asked as he sat down.

 

“I think so.” She lightly nodded.  “Still shaking a little but it’s going away.”

 

“I’m so sorry Eve; I didn’t know this would happen.” He said almost in a pleading tone.

 

“Alex, it’s ok.” She replied with a light smile as her shaky hand cupped the side of his face.  Taking her hand he brought it his lips and kissed the back of her fingers.

 

The couple jumped when there was a pounding sound that came from the door, when they heard someone quickly knocking AJ got up.  “Go a head break my door so I can sue the hell out of you douche bags.” He mumbled as he walked down the hall but it wasn’t who he thought it was.  Quickly he opened the door, grabbed Nick’s jacket and pulled him into the house, slamming the door as the reporters yelled and snapped pictures.

 

“Holy hell dude.” Nick gasped as AJ locked the door.

 

“Tell me about it?” AJ sighed.

 

“Has she gone out in that?” Nick asked.

 

“We came home to that.” AJ replied.

 

“Is she ok?” Nick wondered.

 

“Yeah, she’s in the kitchen.” Then AJ was greeted with a punch to the arm.  “What the hell was that for?” He yelled as he grabbed his arm in pain.

 

“For not inviting me asshat.” Nick whined as he headed down the hall.  AJ rolled his eyes as he followed his friend.  “Have you talked to Brian yet?”

 

“Nope.” AJ replied as they both sat down at the table with Eve.

 

“Hi Evie.” Nick smiled.

 

“Hi Nick.” Eve replied back with a light laugh.

 

“He’s spazzing.” Nick said looking at AJ.

 

AJ sighed.  “Oh well.”

 

“Don’t be surprised if he’s on his way here.” Nick said as Eve stood up and put her glass in the sink.

 

“I’m going to go unpack and have a shower.” She said to AJ as she walked over to him and kissed him.  When he knew she was upstairs AJ smacked Nick on the shoulder.

 

“Ow?” Nick replied looking at him with a little pain and confusion.

 

“She’s got enough going on here, she don’t need to hear about him.” AJ snapped a little pissed at Nick.

 

“Sorry.” Nick mumbled a little embarrassed.  AJ reached into the pocket of his jeans and pulled out his cell phone.  “Who are you calling?”

 

“Bri, if he’s headed here he can turn right back around, go yell at his cousin and leave me and her alone.” He mumbled as he searched for Brian’s name.  The phone buzzed busy and he grunted in frustration as he ended the call.  “This is such bullshit.”

 

“I know” Nick sighed.

 

“I knew I’d have to deal with Brian but what the fuck is up with the photogs?” AJ said angrily.  “Since when did people start giving a shit about us again?”

 

“They don’t it’s the story, you and Eve all those years ago, they couldn’t get the story then and now with everything that happened in Nashville they snap the two of you getting married on a beach, it’s romance, it’s action and everything they feed off of.” Nick told him.  “If there’s one thing I know, it’s them.” He said nodding towards the front of the house.  AJ couldn’t argue there.

 

“Why do I have this feeling ignoring that won’t be so easy?” He sighed as he flipped his phone in his hands.

 

“Cause it won’t, it’s not five years ago man, the press has changed especially with what we do.” Nick replied as he put sat back a little in the chair.  “You know it could be a good thing…”

 

“Don’t.” AJ replied quickly interrupting him.  “Don’t even go there; I’m not having her re-live everything just to help push our album.”

 

“But you can tell them your side, before they dig for it and start yelling out questions to her on the street.” Nick told him.

 

He tossed his phone down on the table and stood up with a grunt of frustration.  Opening the patio doors AJ walked outside and took a deep breath trying to calm himself.  A noise over by his pool shed took his attention and he looked closer at the area.  He then saw the tree branches moving and began to jog over to get a better view, when he did what he saw threw him into a rage.  There in his yard was a photographer trying to get back over his fence, AJ ran at the man and grabbed his leg pulling him back into his yard.

 

“What the fuck are you doing?” AJ yelled as he picked the man up by his collar.

 

“Hands off me man.” The photographer yelled.

 

“You’re on my fucking property; tell me why I shouldn’t beat the shit out of you right now!” AJ screamed at him.

 

“I’ll sue!” The man shouted as AJ dragged him towards the gate that led to the side of the house.

 

“Then let me make it worth it.” AJ screamed as he stopped and slammed the man against his shed.  He then spun him around and punched him in the face, he went to send another fist at the man but Nick grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

 

“I’m calling the cops!” The photographer said as he was dragged away by Howie and Kevin. 

 

“Good I’ll fucking charge you with trespassing!” AJ yelled back.  “Get the fuck off my property now!”

 

“Calm down Alex.” Nick said as AJ fought to get at the guy.  When the gate shut and Howie and Kevin turned around AJ pulled himself away from Nick.

 

“This is such BULLSHIT!!” AJ screamed as his frustration exploded. He blew past everyone and was so angered by what had just happened he didn’t see Eve as he blew past her and inside the house.  Not bothering to close the doors he stormed through the kitchen, down the hall, up the stairs and into his room, slamming that door behind him.

 

His breathing was heavy as he tried to fight the anger that wanted to unleash from him, the rage that made him want to punch something.  When he heard his bedroom door open he spun around ready to tell who ever it was to fuck off but when he saw Eve staring back at him the anger left, somewhat.

 

She walked up to him and slid her arms behind him and laid her head on his chest.  Taking a deep breath he closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around her, resting his head gently on top of hers.  The smell of her hair, still damp from her shower, was soothing as it always was to him and he felt himself calming the longer he was in her embrace.

 

“I’m sorry.” He whispered and she pulled away.

 

“Don’t be.” She told him lightly shaking her head.  “There’s nothing you could have done.”

 

“I could have just been normal and waited.” He sighed.

 

“And then it wouldn’t have been as incredible as it was.” She replied as her hand slid up the side of his arm.  “How were you supposed to know she would be staying on the same beach as us? How could you have known about the photographers being there?”  AJ didn’t say anything.  “What’s going on out there is not your fault Alex.”

 

“Then why do I feel like I brought this all on us?” He asked.

 

“I don’t know hun but you shouldn’t.” She told him.  “Because I don’t and isn’t that what matters?”  AJ lightly smiled at her and brought her back into his arms with a sigh. 

 

“Guess we’re eating in tonight.” He said hoping a joke would lighten his mood.

 

“Are you volunteering to cook?” She asked with a light laugh as she pulled away.

 

“Ha-ha you’re funny.” AJ joked as he followed her out of the bedroom.

Chapter 28 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                      Chapter Twenty-Eight

 

            “So what happened with the police?” Kevin asked when AJ sat down from showing the officers the door.

 

“They said they won’t charge me if I don’t charge him.” AJ sighed.  “Asshole should stay off my damn property.”

 

The room went quiet when there was a knock on the door and with a light moan AJ stood up and walked out of the living room.  When he arrived at the door he looked out the peep hole and saw Brian standing on the other side. 

 

“Fucking perfect.” He moaned as he unlocked the door and opened it.  “Hurry up.” AJ said as he motioned for Brian to come in as the people camping outside his house started again.  When he turned around he saw Brian staring at him.

 

“Married?” His friend said in a tone that was anything but celebratory.

 

“Yes Married and if you hadn’t notice from the pictures, my Mother was there so why the hell are you bitching about it.” AJ replied ready for the fight he knew was coming.  “And keep your damn voice down Eve’s trying to sleep.”

 

“Oh I am sooo sorry.” Brian replied as AJ walked past him. “And I have every right to bitch because it affects the group?”

 

“And how does Eve and I getting married effect the group?” AJ asked as he spun around, knowing Brian was about to bring up her dancing.  “Say it, I dare ya, I almost went to jail once today, I don’t mind trying again.” He barked at Brian angrily but kept his tone low. 

 

“Alright into your corners.” Kevin said as he gently pulled AJ back and into the living room.

 

“I’m just saying you didn’t think this through.” Brian spoke again when he walked into the living room.

 

“I didn’t think this through?!” AJ yelled.  “I didn’t think this through?” AJ said again quickly but lowering his voice, he really didn’t want Eve to wake up to this but knew there was no way around the confrontation.  “I had enough time in that fucking house to think this through.” AJ growled at him.  “While I was unconscious from them beating the fuck outta me, while I sat awake, tied up and alone with nothing but thoughts of marrying that woman upstairs, you have no damn idea what we went through!” AJ snapped as he swung his arm with anger in front of him.  “Just like you had no idea what she went through with Mats and Thomas or her Mother and Brother.”

 

“And you did.” Brian mumbled.

 

“Damn it Brian.” Kevin sighed knowing it was going to send AJ off the deep end.

 

“Yes I do.” AJ snapped back.  “I was the one that heard what happened in her voice when she called, lost, alone, terrified and god only knows what else, I was the one that found her at the phone booth and I was the one that kept her from fucking killing herself over everything one night, so don’t you stand there and judge her or me with your holier than thou fucking attitude!”

 

“Come on dude let’s go for a smoke.” Nick said as he started to pull AJ away.  AJ wanted to say more, AJ wanted to hit him but he let Nick pull him from the room and onto the back patio.

 

He sat there on the patio chair, his leg shaking as his foot tapped the ground.  The rage, emotion, and adrenaline ran through his body but each drag of his smoke eased it away.  It may kill you but there was nothing more relaxing than a cigarette, well nothing legal anyways.  He didn’t want a drink, drinking got him excited, made him feel good and he was hyped up enough.  All he wanted was peace, quiet, no questions, no pictures, no yelling, or fighting; he just wanted to be alone with his wife.

 

“What if you guys went away?” Nick said and AJ looked at him.

 

“They’d just follow.” He sighed.  “Besides we have that meeting with Jive in two days.”

 

“They’re loving this you know.” Nick told him.

 

“I know” AJ sighed again.  “I wish Kevin was going with us.”

 

“Me too, he always knew how to push their buttons.” Nick replied with a light smile and AJ returned it. “Well I just want to say I’m happy for you guys.”

 

“Thanks man.” He said. “I would have invited you, ya know.”

 

“I know I get it.” Nick replied.  “I can’t believe you got your Mom to go.”

 

“Me neither, but I think I have Tony to thank for that.” AJ told him.

 

“I wonder if their out in the mountains with their photoscopic lenses.” Nick asked as the two sat outside.  AJ raised both hands and raised his middle fingers.  “Nice” Nick replied laughing a little.

 

“What are you doing?” Kevin asked as he poked his head out the patio door.

 

“Saying hello to the assholes in the trees.” AJ replied with a smile.  “Is he gone?”

 

“That’s why I’m out here were going back to my place, he needs to cool off.” Kevin said rolling his eyes.  “Howie said he’s heading out too since Q has everything all set up for ya now.”

 

“Well then you get the hell out too.” AJ said looking at Nick.  “I need quiet time.”

 

“Fine” Nick said with a sigh standing up.

 

When everyone was out of his house he walked into the living room and plopped down onto the couch and listened to the nothing that surrounded him.  His head hurt from the fight with Brian and he just felt emotionally drained from the entire weekend.  The thought of everything that had happened, his mind finally catching up with all that was going on around him and it made the room spin.  The room spinning made his head pound even more so he decided to get up and go lie down with Eve.  When he stood up the room spun faster and it caused him to stumble forward, his hand reached out trying to stop himself and his hand touched something but it gave way.  Everything went dark as he heard things crashing around him and he felt the carpet beneath him.

 

Slowly his eyes fluttered opened, the strange images half blurred filled his eyes and the sounds of the room filled his ears.  The mumbles of people talking, the shuffling of people walking around and some weird annoying beeping noise.  Sluggishly he raised his arm to rub his eyes and he noticed something in his hand.  He looked down and saw an IV stuck into the back of his hand.

 

AJ looked around the room confused as he saw a large green curtain around him, monitors by his bed and Eve sleeping in the chair beside him.  Her legs were tucked under her, her head rested on her arm as it lied on the back of the chair.  He thought back to how he got here and he couldn’t really remember. He remembered the headache and he remembered going to bed, or did he go to bed.  Slowly he pulled the blankets off of himself and revealed the light cotton hospital gown he wore.  The sound of the plastic mattress under his sheets cracking was enough to pull Eve from her sleep.

 

“You need to lie back down.” She said still half asleep as she stood up.

 

“I’m ok” He told her as he put his hand on her arm.

 

“No you’re not, please lie back down.” She said and he looked at her confused.

 

“I’m not?” He replied confused.  “I feel ok.”

 

“You’re stressed out.” She told him as she started fussing over him.  “Do you remember passing out and almost pulling the glass shelf onto you?”

 

“No” He replied.

 

“Your blood pressure is through the roof and the doctor said you could have had a heart attack.” She said and he heard the fear in her voice but he didn’t believe it, he was almost thirty not sixty.

 

“How long have I been here?” He asked as he got back under the covers and she pulled them over him.

 

“A few hours.” She told him.  “I called your Mom, I told her I would call when you woke up and I called Kevin from the ambulance, he was here for a little bit.”

 

“Ok” He replied he was still blown away by the seriousness of everything.  “Are you ok?”  When she didn’t say anything he knew what that meant.

 

“Eve…” AJ was interrupted.

 

“Ah good Mr. Mclean you’re awake.” Said a Doctor as he pulled back the curtain and walked into AJ’s bed area.

 

“I’m going to go call your Mom.” Eve told him as the Doctor walked along his bed side.  He watched her walk behind the curtain and it worried him.

 

“How are you feeling?” The Doctor asked him as AJ looked at him.

 

“Tired, slight headache, either than that I feel fine.” AJ told him honestly.

 

“Does your chest hurt at all?” He asked.

 

“Nope” AJ replied shaking his head lightly.

 

“Ok” The Doctor replied as he put his stethoscope ear plugs into his ear.  AJ did all the things the Doctor told him to do as the cold metal piece was put to his chest, he breathed in, and out.  When the cold metal piece was put to his back he repeated everything, breathing in and out.  The Doctor took his blood pressure and told him it was much lower, at a safer level.  He then removed AJ’s IV and it sent him into boy mode as he looked away from the needle coming out.

 

“You need at least a couple of days of bed rest, nothing stressful for at least a week and your Doctor will call you with an appointment next week, for a check up.” He said as AJ sat on the bed and listened.  “I want you to understand the seriousness of this, just because you’re still young doesn’t mean anything, put your heart under enough stress and it will still break.”

 

“I understand” AJ nodded and he thought about how he could go stress free for a week when his stress was at home.

 

“Alright I’ll fill out the papers and then you can go the nurse will bring you a wheel chair and help you out.” The Doctor said before he left AJ’s room.

 

He saw his clothes sitting on a table and crawled out of the bed.  Grabbing them he began to dress himself getting ready to go home.  By the time Eve got back he was dressed and sitting on the edge of the bed.

 

“Did you talk to the Doctor?” AJ asked her.

 

“No” She replied as she sat down beside him.

 

“He said I can go but I need to take it easy for a couple of days and stay away from stress for at least a week.” He told her as he took her hand.

 

“And how are we going to do that?” She asked with a worried look on her face.

 

“I’ll be ok at home.” AJ said and he lightly squeezed her hand in reassurance.  “We’ll just hunker down and considering what happened, I’m sure Kevin won’t mind doing things for us. We can make him our bitch.” AJ joked and it brought a smile to her face, which made him smile and feel ten times better.  “I’ll be fine, I got myself too worked up over it but I hope I didn’t scare you to much.”

 

“I just didn’t know what was going on, the crashing woke me up and then when I got to the living room and saw you on the floor…” She stopped.

 

“I’m sorry.” He frowned and pulled her into a hug. 

 

“It’s ok, I’m just glad you’re alright now.” She replied as her hands slid around his back.

           

           

Chapter 29 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                      Chapter Twenty-Nine

 

            Eve walked down the hall towards the front door of their house.  When Alex had gotten out of the hospital pretty late and not wanting to have the cabbie fight with the paps they decided to try and sneak out the back of the hospital, taking a cab to a hotel where they spent the night.  Kevin then came and picked them up that morning and took them home.  He and Eve were talking about everything in the living room when someone knocked on the door.

 

“Thanks.” Brian said as he walked into the house but Eve stopped him, grabbing him by the arm.  The short, dirty blonde haired man looked at her with shock in his blue eyes.

 

“If I had my way you’d be walking back down that drive way and not stepping foot in this house.” Eve said to him.  “The only reason you’re not is because Alex says you’re his friend, his brother.”

 

“I am.” Brain replied with an annoyed tone.

 

“Really? Cause you sure as hell don’t act like it.” She snapped at him.  “After everything he’s been through, with and with out me, you’d think you would be happy for him but no instead you come into our house and start bickering at him.”

 

“How can I be happy when he goes off and marries some stripper without even thinking about it?” Brian snapped.

 

“Brian.” Kevin barked from behind him as Nick walked out from the living room.

 

“Well I don’t have to take this; I came here to see Alex.” Brian said angrily.

 

“He’s sleeping.” Eve told him. 

 

“You know you want to yell at me for upsetting him yesterday but you’re the one that brings all this bad stuff around, Mats, Thomas, you’re restaurant blowing up, the kidnappings, it all comes back to you.” Brian said as he stared at her and she stared back at him.  “He was fine without you, safe without you, and happy.”

 

“Oh yeah he was re-eal happy.” Eve replied sarcastically.  “He was so fucking happy you all thought he was drinking again.”  Brian stood there quietly.  “Are you done or are you going to bring up the fact I can’t have kids too? Huh? Come on Brian let it out because it stops now.” She told him angrily.  “The snide comments, the constant nit picking about what we’re doing, as of now you stay out of our business, as of now everything stops.”

 

“Eve you should calm down before you have a panic attack or something.” Nick said as he walked up to them.

 

“I don’t get panic attacks when I’m pissed off; I get them when I’m scared.” She said not taking her eyes off of Brian.  “I’m his wife now whether you like it or not so get use to me being here, you don’t like me, ok, I get it, move on because we have.”  She then walked past all three men and walked down the hall into the kitchen.

 

“Snap.” Nick said his lips made a popping sound when pronouncing the ‘P’ as he slowly turned around and headed into the living room.  Brian spun around to Kevin who just raised his thick eyebrows and put up his hands joining Nick in the living room.

 

Eve stayed in the kitchen and finished prepping for dinner; she figured Alex would have been hungry when ever he woke up.  She was glad Brian didn’t stay long once he realized no one was going to wake AJ.  Soon after Kevin and Nick left, Kevin letting Eve know if she needed anything to call.  While the food was preparing on the stove she walked upstairs and decided to check on Alex.  When she opened the bedroom door she was surprised to see him sitting up in bed.

 

“Hey” She said as she walked into the room and he smiled.

 

“Hi” He replied as she walked over to him.

 

“What’s up?” She asked.

 

“Nothing just thinking.” He replied.  Eve sat on the edge of the bed and he reached over taking her hand.  “Did I hear the door?”

 

“Yeah Nick left about five minutes ago.” She told him.  “Kevin and Brian were here too.”

 

“Brain.” AJ said quickly as he looked at her.

 

“He was good.” She told him with a light smile.  “And he wasn’t here long.”  Eve watched as he played with her fingers.  “How are you feeling?”

 

“Still tired, well more like lazy.” He said with a sigh.  “Starving too.”

 

“Well I have food cooking, I can bring it up too you.” She told him as she stood up.  “Which I should go check on.”

 

“I’ll come downstairs.” He said as he started to get up.

 

“No, you’re supposed to be in bed.” She told him as she turned around.

 

“Eve I can walk downstairs and lie down on the couch.” He replied with a light smile. 

 

A small embarrassed smile broke from her lips, she knew she over reacted a little but she couldn’t help it, she was worried about him.  She realized at the hospital everything was becoming too much for him and she wondered how much he could take before he came stumbling into the house drunk or stoned and now she had to worry about blood pressure and heart attacks.  He took care of her many times in the past and now it was her turn to take care of him.

 

She followed him out of the room and down the stairs and after she had settled him onto the couch she went into the kitchen.  As she stirred the vegetables that were in a mixing pot of spices, chicken, and broth Eve heard the TV in the living room come on.  She heard people talking and thought she even had heard her and AJ’s names a few times. 

 

“Do you want something to drink? No Dew though.” She asked him as she walked into the living room.

 

“And coming up on ET the jail house interview everyone’s been dying to get but only Entertainment Tonight has.” The woman’s voice spoke with excitement and pride.  Eve looked at the TV as a jail house flashed across the screen and they showed a woman in an orange jump suit.  “What happened that tragic night?” The womanly voice over said as they flashed pictures of Eve’s old house, not the one in Nashville, or the one in Cali where Mats had attacked her and AJ, no they showed the one where she grew up.

 

As another woman’s voice talked they cut to a picture of her brothers gravestone. “I was so intoxicated and high, I still don’t remember what happened.” An older woman’s voice said and Eve gasped as the camera cut to the woman she hadn’t seen in almost fifteen years, her Mom.  The woman’s hair was grey, lines and winkles on her face made her look older than she really was but nothing changed in the woman’s eyes.  Eve could still see the cold, heartless, and empty eyes staring back at her.

 

“What does she think about her daughter now?” The womanly voice over said.

 

“I’m so proud of my baby girl.” When her Mother spoke those words a panic ran through her.  With a scared moan she spun around and headed into the kitchen.  ‘Baby girl’, maybe to most Mother’s that was a term of endearment to their daughter but not her Mother.  Eve closed her eyes tightly as she heard the woman’s voice screaming at her. 

 

“Where’s your Father now, huh? Where is he to protect his precious baby girl, from the evil drunken whore!” Her Mother screamed with a drunken slur as the image of her own head slamming into a cupboard flashed in her mind. Eve whimpered at the mental image and covered her mouth as she grabbed the kitchen counter.  “If he loved you so much why did he leave!?” Her Mother screamed at her.

 

“Eve?” AJ said from behind her but she didn’t really hear him, she lightly shook her head, not at Alex she barely knew he was there, it was more at what she knew would be coming.  She didn’t want to have an attack right now, she wasn’t going to upset Alex, and she needed to be strong for him.

 

Eve closed her eyes tighter when she saw the image of her brother laying on the floor, their Mother standing beside him, wobbling, and laughing.  “There’s my baby girl, your brother came home late.” The woman slurred.  “Then he said he was going to take you from me.” The woman slurred more as she stumbled towards Eve.

 

“No!” Eve shouted when her Mom put her hands on the side of her arms but when her eyes opened she saw Alex and had realized somehow she sat herself down on the kitchen floor.  She looked at him terrified as he looked back at her worried and scared.  Not being able to say anything, the image of Sean lying on the floor still stuck in her head, Eve grabbed onto her husband as tight as she could. “Sean” she cried like she did that night hoping her brother would get up, hoping his eyes would open, hoping he would start breathing again.

 

“It’s ok Evelyn.” She heard Alex say as his hand rested on the back of her neck and he held her close to him.  Eve wanted to tell him she was ok, she didn’t want him to worry not now but she couldn’t, her whole body shook as she cried, her mind paralyzed by the fear those images gave her every time they snuck into her thoughts.  “She can’t hurt you anymore.” He whispered to her and she so desperately wanted to believe him.  When she felt Alex pulling away she whimpered and grabbed onto him tighter.

 

“It’s ok sweetheart, I’m not going anywhere I’m just getting up to get your Ativan.” He told her as he took her by the arms and looked into her blood shot, tear soaked eyes.

 

She lightly shook her head.  “I-I’m ok.” She replied almost forcefully,  if she took her Ativan she would be out for at least a couple of hours and how could she take care of him if she was past out cold.

 

“Evie you’re not ok, you’re shaking and crying just let me get your pills and you can rest for a couple of hours.” He told her as she started to stand up.

 

“No, I said I’m fine.” She replied back and the snippiness made her wince a little, she didn’t mean for it to come off like that.  “I just need a minute.” Eve told him as she made her way over to a kitchen chair and sat down.  She put her head in her hands and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath in.  She needed to fight this one off, she needed to be awake and aware and she needed to take care of him.

 

                                                                                          

           

Chapter 30 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                Chapter Thirty

 

           

            AJ lied in his bed under the blankets as Eve lied sleeping on his chest.  His head rested against hers as he gently ran his fingers through her hair.  He couldn’t sleep; his mind was a blender of thoughts and emotions. Raising his other hand that laid beside him he softly tucked her bangs behind her ear so he could see her face better.  Her eyes were closed, she looked peaceful, relaxed and happy, which was a far cry from how she was this evening.  Oh she tried to put on a good front for him after she had seen the ET segment but he knew better.  He knew that under the doting, the caring, the cooking, and everything else she did for him there was a fifteen year old girl terrified that the woman who killed her brother would be back for her.

 

            Lightly he kissed the top of her head and sighed.  When was it all going to end, when were they going to be able to enjoy happiness without something equally bad happening to them.  He wondered if he had cursed them, was everything punishment for the night in the booth at the strip club, for spending the night at her place when he was still with Sarah and did he make it worse by doing the same thing to Rachel. 

 

Eve’s body jerked with a moan and he looked down at her wondering if he had woken her.  Her eyes were still closed but the peaceful, relaxed look she had moments before was replaced with a frown.  His arms slipped around her tighter, he laid his cheek against the top of hers and he whispered words that he hoped were calming and comforting.  After a few moments it was obvious her dream wasn’t going away so he carefully slipped further down the bed just enough that he was now looking at her. 

 

“Evie” He whispered as he gently laid his hand against the side of her neck.  She mumbled and started to wake up.  Her eyes fluttered open and she looked at him for a moment a little confused, then they closed and she exhaled.  “Looked like you were having a nightmare.” AJ told her when she took his hand as it rested against her neck.

 

“I’m ok” She said with a light smile.

 

“Evelyn don’t do this.” He replied with a frown.

 

“Do what?” She asked.

 

“Talk to me about this evening and stop worrying you’re going to upset me.” He told her as his finger brushed along her ring.  “I worry more when you act like nothings wrong because I know there is.” 

 

“What do you want me to say Alex, that I’m upset? Yeah I’m upset, I never wanted to see her again and I wasn’t given the choice too.” Eve said as AJ listened.  “I’m angry because after all these years she still hasn’t taken responsibility for what she did to him, what she did to me.” He pulled her closer into his arms and she snuggled into him. 

 

“I wish he could have been there.” Eve spoke in a whisper and AJ knew she meant she had wished her brother could have been at their wedding.

 

“I do too hun.” AJ replied as he kissed the top of her head.  “We could go see him tomorrow, after my meeting if you want?”

 

“No” She sighed.  “Last thing I want is to have all those people follow us there, if there’re not there already.” AJ frowned as she wrapped them tighter in their blankets and was about to say how sorry he was when she interrupted him.  “And don’t apologize because it’s not your fault.” She said as she looked up at him.  He brushed her hair from her face with a light laugh and smile.  Eve laid her head back down on his chest as he ran his fingers through her hair; slowly he felt her head getting heavy.  Within a couple of minutes Eve was out cold and AJ was following right behind her.

 

The next morning AJ amazingly woke up first, he hopped into the shower and got ready for the meeting with his record label.  Eve still wasn’t up by the time he left so he wrote her a little note telling her to text him when she woke up.  When he walked out his front door he was greeted by hordes of Paparazzi’s asking him questions about Eve’s Mom and if Eve was going to tell her side of the story.  It took him about fifteen minutes to pull out of his drive way and get through the camera men.  As the sea of men dispersed AJ looked into his review mirror and saw them climbing into their vans and cars.  He sighed as he felt his blood pressure rise.  There had to be some place they could go, some place where they could hide out for a week or so. 

 

“You can’t go away.” Mike said shaking his head.

 

“Why? The album isn’t even done printing yet, we don’t have a single, and it’s only for a week.” AJ replied with a sigh.  He hated how he had to run the plans by Jive and now they were telling him no, so much for his well being.  He had the idea of maybe hiding out at Kevin’s place in Kentucky.  The authorities were always good at keeping the LA photo crew from prying too much and it was a nice quiet place to relax.  So on his way over to the meeting he called Kevin and asked him, of course Kevin was more than happy to help but when he mentioned it to everyone at the meeting it seemed Jive and someone else had a huge problem with the mini vacation.

 

“AJ you can’t ignore this.” Mike replied.  “This will help the CD and…”

 

“No” AJ snapped quickly.  “I don’t care if it will get us back to where we were eight fucking years ago, she doesn’t want to so it ain’t happening.”

 

“Alex they’re not going to just go away, not anymore, not the way things are today.” Brian told him.  “She’s making it far worse on you by not speaking out about it.”

 

“Eat me.” AJ snapped at Brian, he knew Brian was taking Mike’s side just cause he didn’t like Eve.

 

“AJ” Howie sighed.

 

“Well sorry D but this is bullshit, I came here to talk about the album not about Eve and I so can we just get on with what we all came here for.” He replied.

 

“We’re here to talk about the group and this is affecting the group.” Brian chirped in.

 

“How?” Nick replied a little ticked.

 

“Yeah, how?” AJ said as he looked at Nick then Brian.

 

“You almost had a heart attack or something; you have too much stress on you we need to work something out so we can all move on from this.” Brian told them.

 

“I do have something worked out, it involves me and Evie at Kevin’s in Kentucky, in the middle of no where Kentucky, a place where the police will happily arrest trespassers.” AJ said.  “So there problem solved.”

 

“Typical, running away from the problem.” Brian sighed.

 

“I’m not fucking running.” AJ snapped back.  “God damn it you prick!” He yelled as he slammed his fist down on the table when he stood up and walked out of the room.

 

He walked down the hallway of the building, not sure where he was going his mind to busy yelling at Brian.  He heard footsteps pounding behind him as someone chased after him and when they called out to him he wasn’t shocked to learn it was Nick.

 

“What?” AJ asked when his friend finally caught up to him.

 

“Where are you going?” Nick asked.

 

“For a smoke and chill out.” AJ replied as he stopped at the elevator.

 

“I really thought he was going to drop it after what happened at your house.” Nick said with a sigh.

 

“At my house? What happened at my house?” AJ asked confused.

 

“Eve didn’t tell you?” Nick replied copying AJ’s confusion.

 

“No.” AJ replied as his attitude went from confusing to more anger.  “What did he do?”

 

“Brian? Nothing, Eve was the one that ripped him a new one.”

 

“Huh?” AJ replied confused.

 

“She didn’t tell you?” Nick asked a little shocked then shrugged it off.  “It was funny; Kevin and I were laughing about it later.  He showed up, she let him in and then told him basically where he could go, that he needed to drop the pissy attitude and these are the way things are so he needs to deal with it and move on.” Nick told him as AJ took a drag of his smoke.

 

“No, she didn’t tell me.” AJ replied.  “She probably didn’t want to upset me.”

 

“Is she still playing nurse?” Nick replied and AJ knew he wasn’t being a pervert.

 

“Nurse, Personal Chef, Maid, Nanny…” AJ sighed. 

 

“I’m sure she’ll calm down once you get better.” Nick told him.

 

“Yeah, plus it’s better than how she use to react.” AJ said with a light smile.

 

“How’s that?” Nick asked.

 

“Run away.” AJ replied as he tossed his cigarette butt onto the ground and stepped on it.

 

“I wouldn’t worry about Jive; you two should go and get away.” Nick told him as they both headed into the building.

 

“I plan too, I’m calling Kev when I get home, getting us packed and we’re leaving after he brings me the keys.” AJ said as they walked down the hallway.

 

“Does Eve know?” Nick asked.

 

“No waiting for her to text me when she gets up.” AJ replied looking at his watch.  “Or maybe I should call her.” He said when he read the time on his watch.  “She usually doesn’t sleep this late.”  Stopping outside of the door AJ pulled his phone from his back pocket.  “I’ll meet you in there.” He told Nick as he dialed his home number.

 

“Ok” Nick replied as he opened the door and walked in. 

 

The phone rang in his ear as he heard people begin to bicker in the room behind the door.  He turned and walked to the other side of the hall as he waited for Eve to pick up.  When no one answered he decided to go back into the room and get this meeting over with.

 

“Did you get a hold of Eve?” Nick asked when he walked in and at first he thought it was a simple question but then he saw the look on Nick’s face.

 

“No, why?” AJ asked as he looked around the room.

 

“Tell him.” Nick said as he looked at their PR person.

 

“Tell me what?” AJ asked when he saw the look on Mike’s face.

 

“Just got a call from your Lawyer, seems there was a break out at State Prison and he told me although not involved with the break out Mats escaped.” Mike said as AJ’s whole body went numb, his breathing stopped and he felt himself slowly falling to the ground but luckily Howie was there to slip a chair under him.  Then his mind slipped back to minutes ago out in the hall when he tried calling her.

 

“I gotta go.” AJ said standing up.  “She didn’t answer.”

 

“I’m sure she’s ok, maybe she thought it was reporters.” Nick said quickly as AJ walked over to the door.  He gave them no response as he quickly made his way down the hall.

 

When he got into his car he fumbled with his keys as he tried to put it into the ignition.  Shoving the key in with a frustrated growl it finally went where it was suppose too and with a turn of his wrist the car started.  Quickly he looked behind him and reversed out of the parking spot and then all four tires squealed out of the parking lot as he stepped on the gas before letting go of the break.

 

“She’s fine Alex, she’s fine.” He told himself over and over as he began the race home.  “There’s like fifty photogs outside your house, there’s no way he would do something.”

 

When he turned onto his street, his foot slowly eased off the gas as his jaw dropped.  There were vans and cars lining the street, there were vans and cars pulling past him, and pulling up from the other side of the street.

 

“What the hell…” AJ said in a whisper as he began to drive slowly down the street.  He then realized they were all there for him, most likely to get his and Eve’s reaction to Mats escaping.  By the time he pulled into his drive way his frustration was exploding from him.

 

“Back the fuck up!” He shouted as he tried to open his car door.

 

“AJ what are your thoughts on Mats?” Someone shouted as he stood up squeezing his way from the car into the people and their camera’s.          They screamed questions at him as he pushed his way through.  “Come on AJ you gotta have a message for him, you think he’s watching?”  He fumbled for his keys again his mind trying with everything it had not to turn around and start throwing punches but when he got to the door it opened.

 

“Why didn’t you answer the phone when I called?” He asked almost in a panic when he turned around and saw Eve locking the door.

 

“I was in the shower.” She replied.

 

“Do you know?” He asked.

 

“Yeah my Lawyer called my cell and then yours called here.” She replied and then he pulled her into his arms.

 

“After I called I went back into the meeting and that’s when Mike told me, I was scared something had happened.” AJ told her.

 

“With all those people out there?” She asked as he pulled away.  “I don’t even think Mats that stupid.”

 

“I know but still.” He replied with a small frown.  “But now I’m really glad I made plans for us.”

 

“Plans? Where are we going?” She asked.

 

“Kentucky.” He said as he judged her reaction.  “Kevin said we can stay at his place, we’ll be alone and no worries about Mats either.”

 

“They will follow us.” She said pointing to the door.  “And how can you be so sure Mats won’t find out where we are.”

 

“He’s on the run, how is he going to get out there within a week without some kind of transportation.  He’d get out there as we would be leaving.” AJ replied. “And if we have problems with the paparazzi then we’ll call the police, remember it’s Kentucky not LA.” AJ told her.  

 

“I dunno.” Eve replied unsure.

 

“We’ve been stuck in this house since we got back from Maui, come on hun it’ll be good for us to get away.” He said with a small plea to his voice.

 

“Alright.” Eve replied with a light sigh.  AJ smiled as he leaned in and kissed her. 

 

“Then let’s go pack, I’ll call Kevin and check when he’s coming over with the keys.” He told her as he rested his head on her shoulder, hugging her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

Chapter 31 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                         Chapter Thirty-One

 

           

            AJ looked over as he drove the rental car down a straight dirt road.  Eve sat beside him still quiet.  She answered his questions when he asked them and she replied when he would start a conversation but either than that she said nothing. Until they pulled up to the house.

 

“Wow.” Eve said as she looked out the front window.

 

“Nice, huh?” AJ replied with a smile as he pulled into the drive way.

 

“Nice is an understatement.” Eve lightly laughed as she began to unbuckle her seat belt.

 

“And look” AJ said as he pulled the keys from the ignition and sat back in the seat.  “No paparazzi's”

 

She lightly smiled at him as she opened the door and he frowned when the comment didn’t get the response he wanted.  With a sigh he climbed out of the car and walked around to the back, opening the trunk and removing the bags.  They walked up to the front door; AJ unlocked it and walked into the house, closing the door behind Eve as she walked in.  He locked the door and set the bags down on the floor.

 

“Do you wanna unpack right now or just chill for a bit?” He asked.

 

“Are you hungry? Want something to eat?” She asked as she turned around and he wondered if she even heard him.

 

“Sure, I’ll go unpack while you find us something.” He replied with a light smile.  “The Kitchen is down the hall and turn right, oh and Kevin said his Mom would be stopping by to make sure we’re ok and stuff.”

 

“Ok” She said with a nod as she headed that way.

 

AJ watched as she walked down the hall and disappeared around the corner.  He wasn’t going to bug her on what was bothering her because he knew what it was, the Paps, her Mom, and now Mats. The only thing he could really do was wait and hope this next week would help ease her mind about everything.  He grabbed the bags and preceded up the long winding staircase to the second floor where he grabbed the room he always stayed in when he came out to visit.  Setting his bag on the bed and Eve’s bag by the closet AJ began to pull out his clothes.  He was busy thinking about things he could do to help get her mind off of everything that he didn’t hear her come in.

 

“Hey” Eve said beside him and he quickly looked up.

 

“Hey” He smiled back.  “I set your bag down there for when ever you wanna unpack.” He told her.

 

“Ok” She replied.  “I’m going to run down to that store we past, there’s no soda or milk.”

 

“Want me to come?” He asked.

 

“No, it’s not far and I’m taking the car.” She replied and then she kissed him.

 

“Grab me some Sweettarts.” He asked before she left the room.

 

“Ok” She agreed with a light laugh and then left the room.

 

As he unpacked more clothes he lightly sung to himself and was glad to be away from the flashing cameras.  When all his stuff was put away AJ set his empty bag down beside Eve’s and headed downstairs.  He was about to head to the living room when the doorbell rang.  A smile broke from his lips excited to see Kevin’s mom since it had been a while.  He unlocked the door and greeted her brightly but then the good happy relax feeling all went away when he saw Mats standing there.

 

His former friend said nothing as he shoved AJ into the house and slammed the door shut behind him.  AJ grabbed Mats around the collar and slammed him against the door.  The two struggled but AJ pushed him against the door hard as Mats tried to fight him off.

 

“I don’t know how you found out, I don’t know how you got here but you wasted your time, you’re not going to get to her.” AJ grunted angrily at Mats.

 

“Who says I haven’t already you think I drove myself out here?” Mats replied and it tripped AJ up long enough for Mats to push him off but then AJ composed himself and with more anger than before grabbed his ex friend again.

 

“Where is she you son of a bitch!” AJ shouted at him.

 

“Like I’d tell you.” Mats replied with a teasing laugh.  AJ pulled back his arm and sent his fist flying into Mats face.  This anger Mats and the man speared AJ to the floor both crashing hard.  AJ’s head struck the tile floor and stars and spots blocked his vision, then everything went blurry and then they started to go black.  He felt Mats grab him by the back of the shirt and pull him up.

 

“Naw I didn’t do anything to her buddy, I was just playin with ya.” Mats said as they walked down the hall.  “I came here to give you my congrats on the marriage.” He said as they stopped in front of a door way.  What ever Mats was looking for he didn’t find it in that room and continued down the hall.  “I’m sorry I wasn’t there and you had to settle on Kevin as your best man.” Mats said as he dragged AJ down the hall.  “Here we go, damn this place is huge.”

 

AJ tried to look around but his head was still spinning and starting to pound after the run in with Kevin’s floor.  He blinked hard and opened his eyes wide when he felt Mats set him down in a chair.  “I was happy dude, granted I was in jail but I was happy, you wanna know why?”

 

“Not really.” AJ mumbled as he tried to focus on the blurry person in front of him.

 

“I was happy!” Mats shouted at him and then began to tie AJ to the chair.  “Because I had Evie all to myself again, the things I had to do to have those two idiots watch her, take pictures for me, the things I had to do to get that stuff into jail.” And then Mats sighed.  “And then one day I get pictures from them of you and her, so I get them to send you a message and well we know how that turned out.”

 

“Yeah, an utter fail just like everything else you do.” AJ told him as Mats finished tying him up.  He was starting to freak out a little Eve would be coming home soon and he didn’t want her any where near Mats.

 

“Fuck you!” Mats shouted at him as he punched AJ.  AJ shouted in pain as Mats fist connected to his jaw.  His brain rattled in his head, the pounding was like someone hitting his head over and over with a sledge hammer, his sight went blurry again and he could taste blood in his mouth.  “You know here I am being nice, wishing you well on your marriage, I mean really, I never thought it would happen and to think you’ve been faithful with her, gotta say you shocked me.”

 

“Bite me douche bag.” AJ mumbled as he swallowed more spit and blood.

 

Mats laughed at him.  “Oh and I can’t forget the real reason why I’m here, to give you your wedding present.” Mats told him as he pulled a cd from the bag he had the rope in.  “I’m sure the ceremony was nice, I saw it was on a beach at sunset, not bad Mclean.”  AJ said nothing but just rolled his eyes.  “I’m sure you talked about spending the rest of your life with her and how you’d share everything with her and she would share everything with you.”  Mats put the cd into the DVD player and waited for it to turn on.  “It’s a little keep sake I had tucked away for when I got out and well I’m out so I picked it up, thought what a better wedding gift than giving you something that up until now, only Eve could share in.”

 

AJ looked at him confused and then when the picture came on and the sound started he looked at the television.  The footage was shaky at first and he could hear Mats talking about making sure it was in the right spot but there was another voice, it was muffled but it sounded very familiar. 

 

“Ok got it.” Thomas said as his face popped in front of the camera.  When he moved away AJ saw exactly what was being taped his eyes widened and then fell in anger.  He pulled and twisted trying to get loose.

 

“When I get my hands on you.” AJ growled as he stared at Mats.

 

“I haven’t seen this since before I broke into your house.” Mats said with a smile ignoring what AJ had to say.

 

“Now close the curtain and drive.” AJ heard Mats say from the television and for some odd reason AJ turned and looked.  “My sweet beautiful Eve.” Mats said as he laid beside Eve.  Her hands were tied behind her back; her hair was half in a pony tail probably messed up from struggling with Mats and Thomas.  “It’s not fare, I wanted you first.” He told her.  “Why is he so special? I know I could make you feel better than he ever could.”  AJ closed his eyes and turned his head as Mats began kissing her.  He could hear her crying, he could hear how scared she was and he could hear the pain in her voice as Mats forced himself onto her. AJ started to cry when he heard her cry out knowing that was the moment when…He closed his eyes tighter but it didn’t matter that he couldn’t see it, he could hear it, all of it, everything that Eve went through. 

 

Then without warning Mats grabbed him by the head and began to yell at him with almost a crazy anger.  “You wanted to share in her life, well this is it, share it enjoy it and live happily ever after with it!” AJ looked at his former friend so much anger flowed through him, so much hate and yet he found himself starting to laugh.  Even Mats found it confusing.  “What’s so damn funny?” Mats asked.

 

“You” AJ replied and Mats looked at him confused.  “You talk such a big game but that…”AJ said nodding to the TV. “Is the only way you can get her.  I’m the one she wants, the one she loves, she chose to be with me, and it’s my name she calls out when we’re alone in our bed.”

 

“Fuck you!” Mats shouted as he shoved AJ’s head away. 

 

AJ started laughing again.  “Hey since we’re going down memory lane, did I ever tell you what happened that night at the club? I mean you were so egger to know.” Mats didn’t say anything.  “Man she was something; I had her pinned against that booth wall and…”

 

Mats interrupted him with another shot to the jaw.  “Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!!!” This only made AJ laugh harder.

 

“Oh dude and that night when she asked me, no wait she begged me to take her to her room…” AJ told him and that was the last straw for Mats as he spun around and lunged at AJ wrapping his hands around his neck and he began to squeeze.  But then he stopped and grabbed AJ by the back of the hair.

 

“You think you’re so funny huh?” Mats hissed at him and then he turned up the TV.  “Do you hear that?” He asked.  “Hear her crying, your sweet beautiful Evie, your precious wife, listen to her cry Alex as I have my way with her.”

 

AJ turned his head and looked at Mats; he got an odd sense of déjà vu and then just like before pulled his head back and snapped it against Mats, sending the man crashing to the ground.  As Mats rolled around on the ground in pain AJ tuned into the TV again.

 

“My turn.” He heard Thomas say and he doesn’t know why but he looked again and at the moment wish he hadn’t.  He saw Eve lying on the floor of the van, she wasn’t crying, she wasn’t screaming, she was just lying there, and to him she looked almost dead. She probably was deep down inside at that moment.  Quickly he looked away and closed his eyes, the anger, the pain, both hers and his rushed through him.  AJ stood up as best he could and hobbled his way to the doorway to the hall.  With a quick apology to Kevin for busting up his chair AJ swung it against the wall and it started to break at the legs.  He swung it again and again until finally it broke, just as Mats was getting to his knees.  As the chair fell to the floor so did the ropes that were around him and with his arms free they reached for Mats as he stood up.

Chapter 32 by VeeLynn
Title

                      An Illicit Gentleman

                      Chapter Thirty-Two

 

 

 Eve put the rental car into park and shut the car down, she then unbuckled herself, grabbed her bag and the bag of small groceries she bought and opened the car door.  As she walked up to the front door she searched for the key for the house but she couldn’t remember which one it was.  Before trying each key to see which one worked she grabbed the knob and turned it.  The door opened and although a little shocked it was unlocked, she was relieved she didn’t have to start a search party for the house key.  She walked in and set the bags down and then closed the door.  As she locked it she realized AJ had the TV turned up kind of loud.  Eve picked up the bags and then made her way down the hall towards the living room.

 

When she reached the doorway she stopped dead at what she saw.  Her heart pounded and her mind for a split second wondered if her eyes were playing tricks on her.  Mats stared at her as she stared back at him and then her eyes darted to AJ lying on the floor.  The back of his head was bleeding, his cheek was bleeding, and his lip was bleeding.  Quickly she looked at Mats again and then her mind told her body to run, get out and just run and that’s what she did.  She could hear AJ screaming for her, she could hear Mats following behind her, and as she reached the front door, frantically tried to unlock it but he came up behind her and grabbed her.  She screamed as he spun her around and grabbed her by the arms.

 

“It’s been a long time Eve.” Mats said with a smile.  With a knee to his groin Eve pushed Mats off her and dashed into the closes room she could find but to her shock it only stunned him for a moment.  He grabbed her by the waist and spun her around pinning her against the desk in the room.  “God you still smell so good.” Mats moaned as she felt his lips brush along her neck.  Her eyes darted around her, frantically looking for something anything to hit him with and then she saw it.  It was triangled, tall, and looked like glass or crystal, either one would do.  She carefully reached for it as his lips pressed against her neck.  She closed her eyes as his hand slid up her side, her mind fighting against the flashbacks. Her finger tips brushed against the object as his lips began to kiss behind her ear and he began to unbuckle his pants.  When her natural reaction pulled her away from him, she grabbed the triangular object with both hands and slammed it against Mats head.  He let go of her stumbling back and Eve stared at him. 

 

The pain came back, the fear came back, and the emptiness came back reminding her of what he did to her that night in the van.  As the emotions burst from her, she let out a yell and slammed the object against his head again.  Mats dropped to the floor with a thud and Eve stood there staring at him, tears’ flowing down her cheeks, her breathing was heavy and she started shaking.

 

“Evelyn!!” She heard AJ scream and it took her attention away from Mats; there was something in his voice. As she stepped over Mats she dropped the make shift weapon and walked out of the room. 

 

When she walked into the living room she saw AJ sitting against the couch and the site of him made her forget about Mats in the other room.  She rushed to his side and knelt down beside him.  He had a gash above his eye which was bleeding like crazy, there was a cut on his cheek, and his lip was bleeding too.  But it wasn’t the way he looked that worried her it was how he was acting.

 

“Are you ok? Did he hurt you?” He asked frantically over and over.

 

“No, no Alex I’m fine, he didn’t hurt me hun.” She told him as she took off her sweater and put it around his head to stop the bleeding in the front and back.  Then he fell into her arms crying.  Eve wrapped her arms around him and then she heard something familiar but it wasn’t a good familiar.  As she looked at the TV she saw for the first time what AJ was watching. 

 

“Round two, ding ding.” Mats laughed as he jumped into the back of the van and Thomas took over the driver’s seat.

 

Eve gasped in a sickly manor as she grabbed the remote on the floor and turned the TV off.  Then she looked down at her husband crying in her arms and realized what he saw.  She looked around the room and saw the phone on table as she went to get it AJ grabbed her arm.

 

“Don’t go.” He said quickly as she fixed her sweater against his head. “Stay here I know you’re safe here.” He whispered.

 

“I need to call the police Alex, I’m not going anywhere.” She told him.  He moaned as he laid his head back against the couch.  Eve frowned as she leaned towards the table and picked up the phone, it was then she realized her hands we covered in blood.  As she talked to the 9-1-1 operator she looked over at AJ he was holding the sweater to his head but he didn’t look good.

 

Quickly Eve scooted back over to him.  “Alex?” She said as she placed her hand on the side of his neck.  “Alex stay with me.”

 

“I’m good.” He mumbled.  “I just need to sleep.”

 

“No.” Eve told him as she cupped his cheek in her hand.  “Not yet you need to stay awake the police and ambulance are coming ok? Ok Alex, please, you need to stay awake.”

 

“Where’s Mats?” AJ said trying to sit up but she stopped him.

 

“I don’t know still in the other room, I think, I don’t care you need to lay still.” She told him as he sat back down with a moan and then he started crying again.  It made her want to cry too but she couldn’t because of the anger building inside her.  Anger at Mats for what he had done, what he had shown AJ and hurting him that way. 

 

“I need to unlock the door for the police and ambulance.” She told him as she checked his head.

 

“Mats?” AJ said grabbing her wrist.

 

“He’s out cold.” She told him.  “Or dead not sure.”

 

“Eve”

 

“I’ll be fine Alex it’ll only take a second, ok? I can hear them.” She said as she took his hand and smiled reassuringly at him.

 

Eve walked out of the living room and down the hall, when she came to the room where Mats was she stopped and slowly peered in.  He was still there lying on the floor.  Taking a deep breath Eve hurried to the door and quickly unlocked it.  When she opened it she saw the police squealing to a halt around the house.  Leaving the door opened she hurried back to AJ.

 

“Alex?” She said as she knelt down beside him.  “Alex?” She said again when he didn’t open his eyes. 

 

“Police!” Someone shouted into the house.

 

“In here!” Eve shouted back as she looked back down at AJ.

 

“Alex? Alex wake up, come on hun they’re here.” She said as she touched his pale face.

 

“In here, we have one that needs medical.” The Police officer said as he entered the door way.  “Miss what happened here?”

 

“I’m, I’m not really sure.” Eve started to tell him as she stood up as the paramedics rushed into the room.  “I went to pick up something’s from the store down the street when I got back they were fighting and…”

 

“They?” The Cop interrupted her.

 

“Mats and Alex.” Eve told him, she looked at him and realized he didn’t have a background on the situation.  Quickly she explained to the officer who Mats was and what he had done.  The Officer called into headquarters for a check on Mats.  She then began to explain what she saw when she got home.

 

“So this isn’t your house?” The Officer asked.

 

“No, it’s Kevin Richardson’s house, he’s Alex’s band mate.” Eve told him.

 

“Right.” The Officer said with a nod.

 

Eve looked over to the EMT’s as they put Alex onto the stretcher.  “He’s going to be ok right?” She asked.

 

“He’s stable right now but still unconscious, we’ll see what the cat scans say.” The EMT told her and then they wheeled him out.

 

“Can I go with them?” She asked.

 

“Afraid not, we need you here for more questioning.” The Officer told her.

 

“Can’t you do that at the hospital?” She asked.

 

“No ma’am until we get all the facts and evidence right now you’re still being held because of the man in the other room.” The Officer told her.  “Please have a seat.”

 

“Ok” Eve said quietly as the Officer left the room. 

 

Now that she had time to sit, stop and think everything that had happened rushed over her like a tidal wave.  She started to cry and went to wipe her tears on the back of her hand but she saw the blood, Alex’s blood, just like last time.  Taking a deep breath she began to calm herself now wasn’t the time to have a panic attack come on.  Eve waited and waited and waited, then finally an Officer not the one from before came into the room. 

 

“Look, if I can’t go to the hospital can I at least to have a shower?” She asked the man.

 

“Is this what you used?” He asked her as he held up a plastic bag.

 

“Yes” Eve said as she looked at the crystal object inside.  Then man wrapped the bag up and walked out of the room.  “Um hello?” Eve sighed as she rolled her eyes.  Then another person came into the room and even though he wasn’t wearing a uniform she knew he was a cop.

 

“Eve, I’m Detective Votez.” The man said as he went to shake her hand.  She looked at him unimpressed and showed the man her hands.  “Right, why don’t you go shower and then I’ll get your statement, I’ve talked to the LAPD because of the APB out on him, so once I ask you some questions we can take you to the Hospital to see your husband.”

 

“Thank you.” Eve said with a sigh as she stood up.  She stopped before she left the room.  “The man that owns this house, his Mom is supposed to be coming by.”

 

“I will fill her in as much as I am allowed too.” The Detective said with a light smile.  Eve didn’t return it as she turned around and left the room.

 

Chapter 33 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                       Chapter Thirty-Three

 

           

            Eve walked down the hall of the hospital an Officer escorting her.  By now she was sick of hospitals, sick of the sounds, sick of the smells, and sick of the pale sterol walls.  She had a shower and made sure she took longer than usual; she changed into some clean clothes and then answered the Detectives questions.  That’s when she found out Mats was dead and she didn’t feel the least bit sorry, she actually felt relieved because now it was over, for good.  After that they brought her down here and were now walking her down the halls towards the ICU where the Emergency nurse said they had taken AJ.

 

“We’re here for AJ Mclean.” The Officer told the nurse as they approached the station.

 

“I’ll get the Doctor.” The woman said with a light smile. 

 

Eve wrapped her arms around herself tighter as she watched the woman walk down the hall and enter a room, she wondered if it was AJ’s. She felt like she was going to cry again and she took a deep breath fighting back the tears and sadness that crept up inside her.  Closing her eyes she let her mind wonder to anything but right now, back to a time when he wasn’t lying in ICU, a time where he didn’t see or hear what had happened to her.

 

She sat in his arms as he cradled her, rocking her as she cried.  Never did she think a thought could hurt so much but every time she thought about what they had done to her, her whole body ached.  Only he made her feel better, only he made the pain go away.  Like right now as they rocked back and forth the words he spoke to her eased her mind, the smell of his cologne relaxed her tense body and the feeling of his arms wrapped around her brought back a feeling of safety. But this time, this time was different because of last night. 

 

She wanted him to show her she could be loved, that she wasn’t a toy and that she could feel something again and she did.  The way he made her feel no one had ever made her feel that way.  When they made love she would find herself wanting to cry it felt so good.  Especially last night, it had been almost a month since she had felt his touch, felt him inside her.  But that wasn’t why it was different; it was different because of what he said just before she had fallen asleep. Three words she thought she would never hear another man say to her with honesty but when he said it she knew he meant it.

 

When she felt herself being pulled away from him she looked up.  She realized the nightmare threw her into a tizzy and the look on his face made her feel bad.  “I’m sorry if I scared you.”

 

“You didn’t scare me, I’m just worried.” He said to her and she laid her head back down on his shoulder.  She didn’t want to make him worry either.  “Are you ok now?” He asked and she nodded.  She was ok now that he was here and she was safe in his arms.  “Can I get you to eat?”

 

Ugh eating was something she wasn’t into right now.  It was hard to eat anything when her stomach was in knots since the night in the van.  “Please Evie, you need to eat something.”  Mats calls her Evie but when he says It, it sounds so much better, even makes her heart flutter a little.  Lifting her head off his shoulder she looked at him.  He’s done so much for her; the least she could do was try to eat something even if it was just to help him to stop worrying.

 

“Ok.” She told him and she felt a bit of sunshine creep back into her when he lightly smiled.  He walked her down the stairs by her side with every single step.  As she sat down in the living room AJ got her a salad and she began to eat.  Now that she was more awake her mind wasn’t as concentrated on the nightmare but on the night before and the words he spoke to her.  Her stomach started to flop and she put the plastic bowl down.

 

“I can’t eat anymore.” She said as he sat up beside her.

 

“Ok” He said as his hand touch the small of her back and it gave her goose bumps.  Feeling better Eve decided she was going to take a bath, she needed to get dressed anyways.  “Are you ok?” AJ asked looking at her confused.

 

“Yeah” She nodded. “Just going to go have a bath and get dress.” She told him.

 

“Ok” AJ replied with a light smile.  This was it she was going tell him that she loved him too.

 

“I love you.” She heard herself say in her head but the words never left her lips.  It felt weird and strange she had never said those words to another man before not in this way, not with these feelings behind the words. Realizing the moment had past she turned around and made her way upstairs, cursing herself for what had just happened.

 

“Mrs. Mclean?” She heard the Doctor say and it broke Eve from her thoughts and she looked around quickly wondering how Denise got here so fast.  Then she realized the Doctor was talking to her.

 

“Sorry, I’m not all here.” She replied quietly looking at the Officer and then the Doctor.

 

“Understandable.” The Doctor said with a light smile.

 

“Is Alex going to be ok?” She asked.

 

“His vitals are stable and the Cat scan should be coming back within the hour, we’ll know more then.” He told her.

 

“Is he awake?” She asked.

 

“He’s in and out of it we had to sedate him.” He told her. “The Detectives are getting a statement from him, well trying too.”

 

“What? Why?” She asked shocked.

 

“He came to when we were putting him into a room and he began screaming in hysterics for you.” The Doctor said.  “He was screaming your name and getting himself so upset it was causing his blood pressure to go to dangerous levels and he kept hyperventilating.

 

“Can I see him please?” She asked wanting nothing more than to be in his arms right now.

 

“Once the police are done questioning him yes of course.” He told her with a light smile.

 

The Doctor walked her down the hall and stopped her outside of AJ’s room.  She squatted above the floor her back leaning against the wall, as her head rested against it too. Again she felt the tears and sadness forcing themselves up inside her but she pushed them down, fought them back and took a deep breath as the door in front of her opened.  Standing up quickly she looked at the cops as they walked out of AJ’s room.  She tried to get a look inside trying to see him but the big men in their poofy jackets blocked the doorway.

 

“He’s out of it; we’re not going to get anything out of him right now.” The one Officer told the Doctor.  “The only thing he keeps asking about is a person named Lily?”

 

“Lily?” Eve said confused as the Police men looked at her.

 

“This is Mr. Mclean’s wife, Eve.” The Doctor told them.

 

“Do you know a Lily or does he know a Lily?” The man asked.

 

“No” She told him lightly shaking her head.  “Who the hell is Lily?” Eve thought as she racked her brain trying to remember if he ever said that name. “Can I please see him now?” She asked getting frustrated.

 

The Doctor looked at the Officers. “Yeah, we’re done here, we’ll come back tomorrow hopefully he’s a little more aware then.”

 

Eve didn’t wait for anyone as she walked passed the Doctor and Cops to AJ’s door.  Turning the knob she opened it and walked inside.  A small feeling of Déjà vu rushed through her and she stopped, staring at him.  Composing herself she closed the door behind her and walked over to his bed sitting down in the chair beside it.  His head was wrapped in a bandage, a square gauze bandage covered his cheek, his eyes were black and blue, his nose was swollen and his bottom lip was cut and swollen. The tears and feelings she had been working so hard on fighting back burst out of her and she had no time to stop them.  She covered her mouth and tried to muffle her sobbing.

 

“Eve?” She heard him say his voice dry and groggy.

 

“Hi” She replied trying to force a smile threw her tears.

 

“Are you ok, he…”AJ stopped talking and closed his eyes and then took a deep breath.  “He didn’t hurt you did he?”

 

“No, no.” She replied taking his hand and pulling the chair closer to his bed.  “I’m fine just worried about you.”  Her eyes drifted down to the back of his hand as her finger traced along the skull tattoo. 

 

“Evelyn?” AJ spoke again and she looked up at him.  The look in his eyes was pain and sorrow and she knew what he was thinking.

 

“I know.” She told him as she placed the back of his hand against the side of her neck.  “But I’m ok now.”  He didn’t say anything but just stared at her.  “Why don’t you close your eyes and get some…”

 

“No” He interrupted her.  “I don’t want to close my eyes or go to sleep I do that and I see…” He stopped and his body tensed.  “I just want to go home.” He said sitting up.  “Like back to LA.”

 

Eve grabbed him by the arms and stopped him.  “You need to rest…”

 

“I said I didn’t want to, I just want to go home.” He snapped.

 

“Alex please.”

 

“I want to go home Evie, forget I even had this stupid fucking idea to leave.” He broke from her grip and stood up but the wires and tubes prevented him from going to far.  Until he ripped them off and pulled out the IV.

 

“Alex.” Eve said stunned as she stared at him.  Beeps and buzzes started going off and soon three nurses and a Doctor came running into his room.

 

“Mr. Mclean what are you doing?” The Doctor asked him as AJ looked around the room.

 

“Where the fuck are my clothes?” He yelled.

 

“Go get security; we need to get him back into bed before we sedate him again.” She heard the Doctor say as one of the nurses practically pushed her out of the room.

 

“Wait, wait, what’s going on?” She asked the nurse as the woman closed the door.

 

“Just until we get him calmed down and back in bed, then you can go back in there.” The woman told her as she stared at the closed door.  The nurse left her in the hallway and she could hear AJ screaming about going home as two security guys in white uniforms walked into the room.  Then she heard AJ yelling at the men and she closed her eyes as a tear fell.  She had never seen him like this even when he was drunk he never got this angry and she didn’t like it.  It was the same kind of angry her Mom would get, out of control kind of angry.

 

A couple of minutes later the nurses followed by the Doctor came out of his room.  “Can I go back in now?” She asked.

 

“Yes, we’ve sedated him and restrained him to the bed.”

 

“Restrained him, seriously?” Eve said with a little anger.  “Is that necessary?”

 

“He pulled out his IV, pulled off all the monitors and he was clearly out of control in there, yes it was for the safety of my staff.” The Doctor said to her.  “Dr. Lex will be in to see you when your husband’s cat scans get back.”

 

When she walked back into the room her stomach turned.  It was like a scene from a movie.  Everything had been reattached and his arms were kept at his side by two beige straps.  He lied there staring at the ceiling his eyes would flutter close and then open quickly.  She walked over to his bed side by the chair she was sitting in.

 

“I don’t wanna sleep.” He whispered over and over.

 

“Alex?” Eve finally spoke as she slipped her hand through the guard rail and took his hand.  His head rolled to the side and he looked at her.  “Who’s Lily?”  She asked and when the name left her lips he got a small wistful smile across his face.

 

“Lily.” He repeated and she watched as his eyes fell tiredly.

 

“Yes Alex Lily who is she?” Eve asked trying to not let jealousy over come her.

 

“I miss her.” AJ said with a tired sigh.

 

“Who is she?” Eve asked but AJ didn’t say anything.  “Alex?” She sighed as she sat back in the chair.   Who was this Lily and why is he missing her.

 

 

 

           

Chapter 34 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                       Chapter Thirty-Four

 

Later that night the Doctor had come in and told her that AJ had a concussion and needed to stay over night for observation.  The next day Eve woke up in the chair beside his bed and to her surprise he was already awake. She said good morning to him but he said nothing, gave her no reaction and she tried to get him to talk but he wouldn’t, it was like he had completely shut the world out.  So she sat quietly beside him and waited until he was ready to talk.

 

“Mrs. Mclean?” A nurse said as she poked her head into the room. Eve looked up at the woman.  “There are a bunch of people in the waiting room because of what happened last night we couldn’t let anyone else in to see him.”

 

“Ok” Eve said as she sat up and pulled back her hair.  The nurse left and Eve looked over at AJ.  His eyes were closed and she wondered if he was sleeping or shutting everything out still.  “Alex? Are you awake?”  He said nothing and she frowned, still unsure. 

 

Standing up Eve headed out of the room lightly closing the door behind her.  She walked down the hall fixing her clothes and hair that were messed up from the tossing and turning last night.  When she walked into the waiting room she was surrounded by a horde of people, all of them AJ’s family wanting to know what was going on.  It was a bit over whelming as they asked questions but didn’t wait for an answer before asking their next question.  The overwhelming feeling started to make her cry and shake a little and she thought she was about to have a panic attack.

 

“Quiet!” Denise shouted and everyone shut up. “Eve sit down and tell us what happened sweetheart.” AJ’s Mom said as she walked Eve over to a chair.

 

Eve took a deep breath and wiped her eyes.  “I went to the store to pick up a couple of things, I came back and I saw Mats on top of AJ in the living room and it looked like they had been fighting but Mats must of heard me come in, I tried to take off but the front door was locked.  I ran into another room and he grabbed me, he had me pinned against the desk so I grabbed something and hit him in the head, he fell back and I hit him again.  That’s when he fell to the floor.” She then looked at Kevin.  “I am so sorry about what happened…”

 

“Eve it’s ok.” Kevin replied.

 

            “What’s wrong with Alex? Why couldn’t we see him?” Denise asked and Eve took her hand.

 

“Apparently Mats and Thomas recorded that night in the van.” Eve said as she looked down, almost embarrassed.  “When I went to check on Alex after I had…” She stopped.  “After I hit Mats I saw it playing on the TV, I don’t know what happened between them, I wasn’t there and he’s not talking.”

 

“Not talking about it or not talking.” Kevin asked.

 

“Not talking, last night he was out of control, angry, he ripped everything off trying to get out of here.” Eve told them.

 

“Where was he going?” Denise asked.

 

“Home, he wanted to go home.” She told her.  “They sedated him and he finally fell asleep.  When I woke up this morning he was awake, I tried talking to him but he didn’t give me a response.”

 

“What do the Doctors say?” AJ’s Mom asked.

 

“It’s some sort of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, he just doesn’t want to deal right now so he’s shutting everything out.” Eve told her.

 

“Can I see him?” Denise asked.

 

“Yes, of course, I’ll take you there.” Eve said as she stood up.

 

“Do you need anything? Or need anything from the house?” Kevin asked.

 

“No I’m ok.” Eve told him as she started to leave and then she stopped.  “Wait I might need my Ativan, it’s in my bag in the bedroom.”

 

“Ok” Kevin nodded and then she left the room.

 

“How are you doing?” Denise asked as the two walked down the hall.

 

“I’m ok.” Eve replied with a light nod.  “I mean I know I should be freaking out right now or passed out on some chairs because of my pills but I can’t.”

 

“Can’t?” Denise asked when they stopped at his door.

 

“I know what he saw, what he heard on the video, and I know how much it can change someone.  The only reason I’m here today is because of him and it scares me to think what might happened to him, what he might do.” Eve confessed to Denise as she started to cry.  “I need to be strong for him, like he was for me.” She was a little shocked when Denise took her into her arms and hugged her.

 

“I hope you can get him to talk.” Eve told her as the two pulled away.

 

“I’ll try my best but we both know how stubborn he can be.” Denise replied with a light smile and it brought a small smile to Eve’s lips.  She waited until the door had closed behind Denise and then headed back to the waiting room.

 

“I don’t care I want to see him.” A voice shouted from the room as Eve walked in.

 

“Dude just wait until Denise comes out.” Howie said.

 

“Brian’s here.” Nick whispered beside her.

 

“I noticed.” Eve replied as she stared at Kevin’s cousin. 

 

“Well I bet you’re just freaking happy aren’t you?” Brian snapped at her.

 

“Totally.” Eve replied as she rolled her eyes and walked over to a chair.  “I’m ecstatic.”

 

“Don’t be startin on her.” Nick snapped as he grabbed Brian’s arm. 

 

“It’s fine Nick, he can’t say anything he hasn’t said eighty million times before.” Eve sighed as she sat down.  “If you want to go see him, go see him I’m not stopping you.”

 

“Whatever” Brian scoffed as he left the room.

 

Eve rolled her eyes with a light moan at Brian’s attitude.  She looked over at Nick as he sat across from her.  “Hey Nick?”

 

“Yeah?” He replied.

 

“Did AJ ever know anyone named Lily?”

 

“Lily? Nope.” He replied shaking his head.  “Why?” He asked tilting his head.

“Last night he…” Eve was interrupted by the commotion outside the waiting room.

 

“It’s thirteen B again.” The nurse said to the Doctor as they headed down the hall.

 

“Isn’t that?” Nick started to say but Eve answered before he finished the question.

 

“Yes” She replied standing up and then headed towards the entrance.

 

Eve and everyone else in the room hurried down the hallway and as she got closer to his room she could hear him yelling.  As she and the others approached the door both Brian and Denise came out of the room.

 

“What’s going on?” Eve asked.

 

“He just started freaking out.” Brian said breathless.

 

“What did you say?” Eve asked him angrily.

 

“Nothing Eve I didn’t say anything.” Brian replied.

 

“Bullshit, you always have something to say to him.” Eve snapped.

 

“No Eve it’s true, Brian came in and as soon as Alex saw him he just snapped.” Denise told her.

 

Eve ran her fingers through her hair and took a deep breath.  She turned around and headed down to the waiting room.  There were too many people around and she just needed to get away.  When she sat down she put her head in her hands and started to cry.

 

“Eve?” Kevin said and she looked up.  “Everything ok?”

 

“No” Eve sighed sitting back.  “Brian showed up and went to see Alex and I guess Alex spazzed out again.”

 

“What did he say?” Kevin asked as he sat down beside her.

 

Eve lightly laughed.  “Nothing, even Denise said Brian said nothing, he walked in and when AJ saw him he snapped.” The two sat quietly for a moment and then Eve spoke up.  “Do you know who Lily is?”

 

“Lily?” Kevin asked confused.

 

“Last night Alex kept talking about a Lily and how he missed her.” Eve said almost not wanting to know the answer.  “I asked Nick if he knew who she was but he didn’t, maybe you do?”

 

“He never knew a Lily I’m positive.” Kevin told her and then his head snapped up at the same time he snapped his fingers.  “The little girl from his dreams.”

 

“What?” Eve replied confused.

 

“After the kidnappings, Alex started having these dreams.  He said he would wake up in bed as this little girl would come running in, she’d climb up onto the bed like she was running away from something.” He explained.  “Then you would come in after her.  At first they ended pretty quickly but then he said they started getting longer and in different places.”

 

“So the little girl was?”

 

“Was yours and his, when he first told me about them he said he saw a wall of pictures and amongst them was the adoption certificate.” He told her.

 

“He never told me about them.” Eve said quietly.

 

“Well he knows the subject is still pretty sensitive to you so, maybe he didn’t want to just yet.” Kevin said and Eve nodded lightly, agreeing. “Oh here are your pills.” He said as he leaned forward and handed them too her.

 

“Thanks” She replied as she looked at the bottle and took it from him. “I’m going to go check on Alex; I guess everyone else must still be down there.”

 

“I’ll go with you.” Kevin said as they both stood up.

 

The two walked down the hall and saw everyone but Brian and Denise standing in the hallway.  “Did Brian go back in there?” Eve asked.

 

“No” Nick replied. “He left after Denise chewed him out.”

 

“She’s with Alex now.” Howie said.

 

“Wait Denise yelled at Brian?” Kevin asked.

 

“Oh did she ever.” Nick smiled.  “We don’t know what she said cause she took him down the hall a little but the body language said I’m pissed.”

 

Just then the room door opened and Denise came out.  “I was just coming to get you.” She said looking at Eve.  “He wants to go and the Doctors said he could leave so.”

 

“Ok” Eve replied.

 

“But he wants to see you.” Denise told her.  “I’m going to go get you guys a room at the hotel I’m at.”

 

“Ok” Eve replied again with a light nod.

 

When Eve walked into the room she saw AJ sitting up in the bed, picking at his nails.  He looked a little better than last night; most of his colour had come back.  She walked over to his bed side and sat down in the chair.

 

“Hey” She said when he didn’t say anything.  “You ok?” She asked.

 

“Now that he’s gone.” AJ replied.  “He didn’t start anything with you did he?”

 

“No, I barely saw him he stormed in said he wanted to see you and then came here.” Eve told him.

 

“How long does it take to get my fucking papers!?” AJ snapped.

 

“I’ll go check with your Mom.” Eve said standing up.  Truth be told she just wanted to get out of there, she didn’t like him acting like this but she knew it wasn’t his fault. She left the room and walked up to Denise.

 

“How long will it take to discharge him?” Eve asked.

 

“Couple of more minutes why?” Denise asked.

 

“He’s just really antsy.” Eve replied.  “What are the reporters like?”

 

“It’s a herd down there.” Kevin spoke up from behind her.  “But the hospital has the back blocked off so you can go out that way.”

 

“How did he know where you were?” Nick asked.

 

“Who, Mats?” Eve asked as she turned to look at him.

 

“Yeah, how did he know where you guys were and he showed up like a half hour after you guys arrived.” Nick said.

 

“I don’t know, still waiting for the police report.” Eve replied.

 

The line of questioning got Eve thinking, if he wasn’t responsible for the break out, he must have known about it because he made plans so there must have been someone else involved.  Eve took a deep breath and sighed, she held hope since she got to the hospital that all of this would be over but there was still Thomas, sitting in a jail somewhere and now this new person.

 

 Her hand started shaking and she was finding it hard to breath.  Putting her hand on the wall she held herself up but her breathing was becoming short and quick.  She closed her eyes trying to calm herself but now she was starting to feel dizzy and she started to panic that she was going to pass out which made what was happening worse.

 

“Eve?” She heard Denise say as her body began to shake harder.

 

“Can’t…breath.” She gasped out as she started slipping to the floor.

Chapter 35 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                        Chapter Thirty-Five

 

           

            When the door closed AJ lowered his head and closed his eyes. “I’m sorry.” He whispered.  The sadness turned into anger and found himself wanting to hit something.  Then the anger turned into fear and he wanted to crawl into a corner and hide.  As fast as they came they left and he hated feeling this way, like he had no control over his own emotions.  Now it was affecting Eve and him and it made him even angrier.  He wanted nothing more than to take her in his arms and hold her but he couldn’t because every time he looked at her he would see her in the van, he would see Mats, and then he would hear her screaming and crying.  Right now it was too much to handle when she was around. He ran his fingers through his hair and closed his eyes trying to get his thoughts and feelings settled.  That’s when he heard the commotion coming from outside his door. 

 

            Slowly he got out of bed and walked over to the door.  When he opened it he saw all of his friends gathered around in a circle across from his room.  He was about to ask what was going on when he saw Kevin pick up Eve and a nurse escort them too a room. 

 

“What’s going on?” AJ asked as his Mom walked up to him.

 

“Think it’s a panic attack but she passed out.” Denise said.  “Go inside and wait in your room.”

 

“What happened? Did Brian say something, cause if he did I’ll fucking kill him.” AJ shouted as Denise closed the door.

 

“No Alex Brian went home and nothing happened it just kind of sprung up, she’s been trying to keep it together all night.” Denise said as he sat down on the bed.  “I’ll go check on her you stay there.”

 

He didn’t say anything as he sat waiting, he was worried about her and he wanted to go to her but the thought of her brought back the images and sounds.  The feelings came back each one running its course and then leaving being replaced by the next one.  He started to get frustrated that he couldn’t get a handle on it and he needed too because he needed her.  But what if he couldn’t, what if he kept feeling this way, what would that mean for them. 

 

The door opened and his Mom walked in.  “She’s ok.  They just want her to relax on the oxygen for a bit and let the medication take effect.” His Mom said as she walked over to his bed.  “How was she in here?”

 

“Huh?” AJ replied.

 

“When Eve was here how was she?” Denise asked.

 

“I think she was fine.” He told her.

 

“You think?” Denise replied with some shock.

 

“Yes I think, I don’t know I wasn’t really paying attention, I’ve kind of got my own thing going on here can’t worry about her all the time.” AJ snapped.

 

“Alex?” Denise lightly gasped.

 

“Where the hell are my papers? Can you please find out what is taking so damn long?” He grunted.

 

“Fine but while I do that you should go check on your wife.” Denise said in a motherly tone.

 

AJ watched her walk out of the room and when the door closed over he put his head down with a sigh.  He moaned as he rested his head in his hands, his head was starting to hurt again.  This wasn’t fare he didn’t ask for this and the thought of how it was making him feel towards Eve was making him even more pissed off and moody. 

 

“You need to get over this.” He said to himself.  “Or you’re going to lose her.”  The thought scared him.  Slowly he climbed off the bed and made his way out of the room.  He saw Nick standing a ways down the hall and headed towards him.

 

“Hey man she’s in there.” Nick said as he nodded at the half closed door in front of him.  AJ lightly smiled with a light nod of a thank you and then made his way into the room.  He frowned when he saw her sitting on the bed holding the oxygen mask to her face.  It brought back flashbacks of when he came into her hospital room and she was lying on the bed with the mask on her face. 

 

“Are you ok?” He asked finally speaking.

 

“Yeah” She replied with a light nod.

 

 

“Ok, I’m going to go check and see if my papers are done.” He told her then flashed her a light smile and left the room.  When he heard the door close he stopped and thought about going back.  Normally he would have stayed held her, talked to her, kept her calm but now because of Mats things started to feel different.  His jaw tightened and he gritted his teeth as the echoes of Mats screaming at him twirled in his head.

 

“Hey man you ok?” Kevin asked as he walked up beside him.

 

“I’m fine.” AJ said trying to calm down.  “I just want to leave.”

 

“Your Mom’s getting them now and they said Eve could go too.” Kevin told him.  AJ took a deep breath and started down the hallway to the nurse’s station.  “Hey” Kevin said behind him and he turned around.

 

“What?” AJ asked looking at him.

 

“Aren’t you going to get Eve?” Kevin asked.

 

“I’m going to go see my Mom first, I’ll come back.” AJ replied.  He caught the look Kevin gave him as he turned around but he ignored it and continued to walk down the hall.

 

The car ride to the hotel was pretty quiet, Kevin and his Mom tried talking to him but he just answered with a yes or no.  He stared out the window the entire way home.  Eve never said a word to him and the fact he hadn’t even looked at her on the way to the hotel probably didn’t help much.  They checked in unseen by any photographers and made their way up to their hotel room.

 

“I need to lie down.” AJ said as soon as he got into the room.  He headed right to the bedroom, shut the door, put down his bag and sat down on the edge of the bed.  As he got up to grab a change of clothes from his suit case the bedroom door opened.

 

“I’m going to order room service do you want anything?” Eve asked.

 

“No I’m good.” He replied as he picked up his bag and walked over to the bed.

 

“Are you sure because all you’ve had is hospital food and…”

 

“Yes damn it, I’m not hungry, I would know if I was hungry.” He snapped.

 

“Ok” Eve replied and left the room. 

 

AJ picked up his bag and threw it across the room.  He sat down on the bed with a sulking thump and ran his fingers through his hair.  When she was gone he wanted her more than anything but then when she was there he didn’t want to be around her, didn’t want to deal with what had happened and what he had saw.  Just then the bedroom door swung open and he saw Eve standing in the door way.  Her eyes bloodshot and red around the edges she had obviously been crying.

 

“Do you want me to leave?” She asked.  He could tell she was pissed but she held it back. 

 

He stared at her for a moment and then looked down at his hands.  “I don’t know.”

 

“Cause you’re acting like you don’t want me around at all.” Eve said.

 

“Well I’m sorry ok but I’m kind of dealing with some really rough shit right now.”

 

“Yeah I know.” Eve snipped back at him.

 

“Than cut me some fucking slack woman!” He yelled.

 

“I’m trying Alex I really am but I don’t get why you’re taking it out on me, what did I do to deserve for you to act like I’ve got the plague or something?” Eve asked.

 

“You didn’t do anything.” AJ replied.

 

“Then what’s wrong?” She asked.  “Why are you so mad at me?”

 

“I’m not, I’m mad at Mats, I’m mad at what he did to you, I’m mad at what he showed me because every time I see you…I see…I see you in the van and Mats and…” He stopped as the tears rushed his eyes.  “It’s too much Eve and I can’t deal, I don’t mean to blow up at you, I don’t mean to be so angry I just…I can’t help it.”

 

“So what are you saying?” She wondered.  “You want me to go?”

 

“I don’t know.” AJ sighed.  “When you’re gone I want you here but when you’re here…”

 

“You want me gone.” She finished his sentence for him.  “Then I’ll go.”

 

“Eve…”

 

“No I think I get it.” She told him.  “I’ll get my own room, give you some space, and let you figure this out.”

 

“Please don’t be mad at me.” AJ said quickly before she walked out the door.

 

“I’m not Alex, I know what you saw, I’m just mad that Mats still got between us some how and now he might get what he wanted all along.” Eve said.  He watched as she headed out the door but then she stopped and turned around.  “What does she look like?”

 

AJ looked at her confused.  “Who?”

 

“Lily” Eve replied and AJ’s heart skipped a beat.

 

“How do you know about that?” He asked stunned, so stunned his jaw was almost on the floor.

 

“Last night when they sedated you the Police tried questioning you but you just kept asking for Lily and then I tried asking you who she was but you were pretty out of it by that time.” Eve explained.  “I asked Nick and he didn’t know and then I asked Kevin.”

 

“Ah” AJ said with a nod.  

 

“What does she look like?” Eve asked again.

 

The question made him think about the little girl, her black hair, her blue eyes, and her infectious smile.  Now there was a chance there would never be that little girl, all because of Mats.  “I don’t wanna talk about it.”

 

“Alex…”

 

“I said I don’t want to talk about it!” He snapped.  “Damn it” He thought when he realized he had snapped at her again.  Why did it have to be like this, he wanted to get over what happened, he wanted to move on but he just couldn’t and he didn’t know why.

 

“Ok” Eve replied.  “I’ll come by later and let you know what room I’m staying in.” She told him before she left the room. 

 

When AJ heard the hotel room door close he started to get angry, frustrated and it all burst from him at once.  First he started to cry and as the tears fell it made room for the anger.  When the anger burst from him it sent him into a rage.  He screamed and kicked at anything he could in his room. 

 

“I hate you!” He yelled.  “I hope you’re burning in hell right now!!” He grabbed the hotel glasses one by one and chucked them against the wall screaming as they shattered onto the floor.  He was about to throw the last one when someone grabbed him.

 

“Alex.” He heard Kevin say as AJ fought to break free.

 

“Let me go!” He yelled as he ripped away from his friend.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” Kevin asked.

 

“Fuck you, get out of my room!” He yelled again.

 

“Damn it Alex you need to calm down.” Kevin told him.

 

“Just get out!! Leave me alone! Why can’t people leave me the fuck alone!!?” AJ screamed at him.  Kevin looked at him for a couple of seconds and then walked out.  AJ’s breathing was heavy, almost panting; his face was beat red, and sweat dripped from his forehead.  The room started spinning a little so he walked over to his bed and sat down.  He closed his eyes and tried to calm his breathing but as he started to relax, he started to realize how much he had lost it.  The tears came back and he sat there alone on the hotel bed crying.

Chapter 36 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                        Chapter Thirty-Six

 

            With a moan and a frown AJ tossed and turned in the hotel bed.  His sheets were scattered across the bed not even covering him anymore.  His forehead and body were covered in sweat and his breathing was heavy and sporadic.  Then with a shout his body sat up as he awoke suddenly.  Looking around he realized it was just a nightmare, another horrible nightmare about Eve.  He closed his eyes and ran his fingers through his hair.  Standing up AJ went to go to the living room part of the hotel room to get a drink.

 

“Having trouble sleeping are we?” He heard someone say and he looked over to the small love seat in the bedroom.  Anger and a little fear rose up inside him as he saw Mats sitting there staring at him.  “Where’s Evie tonight?” He asked nodding to the bed.  AJ didn’t say anything.  “Having problems are we?”

 

“You’re not real.” AJ repeated. “This is a dream you’re not here.” AJ said as he closed his eyes and tried to wake himself up.

 

“Maybe I’m the dream but the rest is very real.” Mats replied and AJ looked at him confused.  “I give it two more days and then she’ll be heading back to Cali and packing her things.”

 

“You’re not here.”

 

“Duh dude, we already figured that out but what I’m saying is Eve leaving is very real, thanks to me and well maybe a little of you too.” Mats said with a smile.  “I knew that video would get to you, seeing your precious Eve like that.”  

 

“Fuck you.” AJ snapped.

 

“Oh and there it is, so angry and bitter, every time you let it out she gets further and further away from you.” Mats said with another bright smile.  “Uh Oh you didn’t get her to sign a pre-nup did you? Tisk Tisk” He said shaking his head.

 

“Shut up!!” AJ screamed at him as he dove at the man sitting in the chair but then in a split second the man was gone and AJ was sitting back in the bed, breathing heavily and sweating profusely.

 

Realizing it was all just a nightmare both times; AJ got up out of bed and made his way into the living room area to get some water from the mini bar.  When he walked past the couch in front of the TV something caught his eye.  He stopped when he saw Eve sleeping on the sofa.  He stared at her for a moment and then continued onto the mini bar.  Pulling out a bottle of water AJ sat down at the small dining table and watched as Eve slept.  He wondered what she was doing here.  About an hour after she had left the room his Mom showed up and told him that Eve would be staying with her.  His Mom wasn’t happy about what had happened between them.  She told him he was running away again; pushing people he loved away again because he was afraid of what ‘might’ happen.

 

As he watched her he thought back to earlier today before she left and remembered the words she said to him.  “I’m just mad that Mats still got between us some how and now he might get what he wanted all along.” That’s when it happened; at first it started as a small bubble deep down inside him and then as he watched her sleeping it grew.  Bigger and bigger until it pushed the fear and anger away, until the images Mats had shown him disappeared from his mind and when his thoughts were finally clear it hit him.  He wasn’t going to let Mats win, he still wanted to be with her, he wasn’t going to let what happen come between them and the dream of Lily was still going to come true.

 

He put his water bottle down on the table and walked over to the couch, kneeling down in front of it and her.  He stared at her for a moment and lightly smiled as he brushed a piece of her hair behind her ear.  As he fixed her blanket he noticed she was wearing her robe and PJ’s and it made him smile.  Gently he placed his hand on her shoulder and shook her.

 

“Evelyn?” He said as her eyes started to flutter open.  She sat up quickly when she saw him kneeling in front of her.  “What are you doing here?” He asked.

 

“I…I couldn’t sleep, worried about you and waking up to a nightmare alone, so I figured I’d just come and sleep here in case…” She stopped and then stood up.  “I’m sorry I’ll go.” She told him as she grabbed the blanket and headed towards the door.

 

“She has black hair.” AJ said before Eve got to the door.

 

“What?” Eve replied confused.

 

“She has black hair, blue eyes, she’s about two maybe three and she has a smile that makes my heart melt every time I see it.” AJ told her.

 

“You mean Lily.” She replied.

 

He nodded.  “The first dream I had was the night I got home from the Hospital after escaping.  Something woke me up and I saw her at the side of the bed, she smiled and climbed up.  She wrapped her arms around my neck and hid behind me that’s when you came in.  You said she took off upstairs when she saw my things and then you and her went downstairs to make breakfast, that’s when I woke up.”

 

She didn’t say anything as she looked down at the floor.  AJ tried to fight the tears that weld up in his eyes “I don’t wanna lose you but if I keep snapping at you the way I am, I’m afraid I will.”

 

Eve looked up and lightly smiled at him.  “Alex where would we be if you had walked out of my apartment the night I was distraught over Sean’s death? Where would I be if you hadn’t answered your cell the morning Mats and Thomas let me go or you didn’t care that I was in your living room plastered thinking about killing myself.”  She walked up to him and took his hands.  “I’m not going anywhere; you wanted space so I gave it to you.  If you want me to stay then I’ll stay, I’ll do what ever it takes to get you through this.”  He looked down at their hands when she squeezed them lightly.  “I’m sorry you saw what you saw but I want you to know I’m ok now and I’m ok now because of you.”

 

He wanted to cry but he held it in and pulled her into his arms. “God Eve I’m so sorry.”

 

“It’s ok” She replied and he heard the relief in her voice.  “Something like this will take time and I know you’re not the most patient of people.”  He couldn’t help but smile and laugh at her comment.  Smiling and laughing, there’s something he thought he wouldn’t be doing for a while.  He kept her in his arms and he noticed she didn’t try and let go either.  They both stood there in silence in the dim lit room.

 

When Eve pulled away his eyes locked on hers, he thought he should look away, what if he stared to long and the nasty images came back but he couldn’t.  He didn’t want to lose her to this, not after everything they had been through.  No, he let her go once and he learned his lesson, he wasn’t going to let her slip away again.  He didn’t care about those images anymore, they weren’t her, they weren’t who she was now and she was right, she’s ok now.  There was still anger, lots of it.  Anger at Mats and Thomas for what they had done to her.  But there was also hope.  Hope that if she made it past that and is now the woman that stands before him that he too could get past this.

 

“You should get back to bed.” Eve told him.  “The Doctor said you need to rest.”

 

“Will you stay?” He asked.  “I want you to stay.” He told her before she could say anything.  “I can’t promise I’m not going to get mad or snap again but I want you here, I need you here.”

 

“I’ll stay.” She told him with a light smile.  The couple walked into the bedroom and climbed into bed.  They lied beside each other and AJ took her hand. 

 

“What happened with Brian?” Eve asked and he looked at her.

 

AJ lightly laughed.  “I just didn’t want to see him, still don’t.  People can say what they want but if he hadn’t of said those things to you, you wouldn’t have wanted to leave, we wouldn’t have had that fight and…”

 

“And you would have been at the club that night.” Eve finished.

 

AJ nodded. “I know he couldn’t have known but I asked him to give you a chance, he said what he said and now needs to deal with the consequences.”  AJ brought her hand to his lips and kissed her fingers.  “Besides, I didn’t need to hear him go off again about how you brought this on, that all of this was because of you.”

 

“How come you never told me about the dreams you were having?” Eve asked.

 

“I didn’t want to upset you or make you think I was hell bent on having kids now because of it and we hadn’t talked about it since we got back together.  I wasn’t sure how you felt about it now.” AJ told her.

 

“It stills bothers me I can’t have my own, I guess it always will but I’ve moved on and I know I can still be a Mom.” Eve said and it made AJ smile.

 

“You’ll be the best Mom ever.” AJ said as he brushed the back of his hand down her cheek and then leaned in and kissed her.

 

 

Chapter 37 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                       Chapter Thirty-Seven

 

“Alex you really should slow down.” Eve sighed as the tires to the car squealed as he peeled around the corner.

 

“There’s like ten Paparazzi’s behind us.” AJ said as he stopped at a red light.

 

The couple was on their way home from LAX after getting home from Kentucky.  Of course there were a herd of Paparazzi’s waiting for them at the airport and now they were following them home.  “I know that’s why you should slow down.” Eve replied.  “It was bad enough when you stopped to get the mail and almost hit three of them.”

 

“They should learn not to stand in front of cars like that.” AJ mumbled.  “Like right now when I’m trying to get into my damn drive way!!” AJ shouted through the window.

 

“Alex.” Eve sighed not wanting him to get his blood pressure up.  He didn’t say anything more when the car finally broke pass the horde of Paparazzi’s.  “Glad to see the police are still here.” Eve said as AJ shut the car off.  They both got out and gathered their bags as the photographers yelled behind them.  The couple walked to the door and AJ unlocked it and let Eve inside first, then he turned around and flipped off the people standing at the edge of his property.  “Was that necessary?” Eve asked as she stood in front of him staring at him.

 

“Probably not but it was fun.” AJ replied with a smile.  Eve lightly giggled as she rolled her eyes and headed into the kitchen.  He put down his bags and followed her, he stopped when he got to the kitchen door way and leaned against it as he stared at her.

 

“We need to get groceries.” Eve sighed as she looked through the fridge and he walked up behind her.

 

“We’ll order in tonight, we’ll go get groceries in the morning.” AJ told her as he turned her around to face him.

 

“You have a group meeting in the morning.” Eve replied as she looked at him.

 

“Then after that.” AJ replied in a whisper before he pressed his lips to hers and kissed her.  The fridge door closed and AJ gently pushed her against it as his tongue tangled around hers.  At first it was an innocent kiss but then for some reason the room sparked an old memory, a memory of the first night they were together.  The night in the club when Eve took him to a private booth and he told her how he felt about her.  Some people may have called it a quick fuck but to them it was more than that and now here they both stood in their kitchen, feeling much the same way as that night.  His hands slid around her waist and began to unzip her jeans.  He pulled them down making sure he took her underwear as well.  When he stood back up their eyes locked and then he jerked forward as Eve grabbed him and began undoing his pants as they fell to the floor their lips locked and they began to kiss again.  Still holding her against the fridge AJ picked her up and she wrapped her legs around him as he slid her down onto him.  His lips drifted from her lips down the side of her neck as he began to thrust into her.   Her moans echoed in his ears and the sounds made him thrust faster and harder.  As AJ felt himself nearing his climax Eve’s legs wrapped tighter around him, her body began to shake and as she cried out his name he hit his peak.

 

“So, order in than?” Eve asked and it made AJ smile he could tell she was a little befuddled.

 

“Sure.” AJ replied as he zipped up his jeans. “How does Guido’s sound?”

 

“Mmm I could really go for some Italian.” Eve replied with a smile.  The couple ordered something to eat and AJ told the person on the phone to be prepared for the Paparazzi’s outside.

 

“I’m gonna go hop in the shower.” AJ told Eve as she in the living room.

 

“Ok.” Eve replied as she pushed play on the DVD remote.

 

AJ walked upstairs to the bedroom and into the bathroom.  He turned on the shower and let it run making sure it was hot enough.  Opening the glass door he walked in and let the hot water fall down onto him.  It was nice, for a moment downstairs he had forgotten everything that had happened in Kentucky.  For a moment it was just him and Eve and nothing else.  The hot water and steam started to make him sleepy, so he opened the door and stepped out after turning off the water.  He grabbed a towel from the bathroom closet and wrapped it around himself.  When he walked into the bedroom he saw his bed, it looked warm and inviting so he figured he would stretch out until the food got there but as his head hit the pillow his eyes closed and he was out for the count.

 

The crowd was alive and screaming and the rush he got from him made him feel like he could walk on clouds.  It pushed him through the last song and as the pyro’s went off and the band played them out, AJ gave a wave and a kiss to the crowd as him and the other guys left the stage.

 

“Another one done.” Howie said as they walked down behind the stage.

 

“I can’t wait to get to bed.” Brian sighed.

 

“I’m starving.” Nick sighed as they headed towards they’re tour busses.

 

“Me too.” AJ replied.

 

“Now that’s something shocking, the two of you hungry.” Brian said with a light laugh.

“Bite me Rok.” AJ said as he approached his bus. He heard the other guys laugh as he walked into the tour bus.

 

“Hello?” He shouted as he grabbed a bottle of water from the small fridge.  When he closed the door he heard the back bedroom door open and he smiled when he saw Lily running down the small aisle towards him.

 

“Daddy!” She squealed as he picked her up.

 

“What are you doing up?” AJ asked.  Lily put her hands on each side of AJ’s face and smiled.

 

“My Daddy.”

 

“That I am but what are you still doing up?” AJ asked.

 

“I tried getting her to sleep but she wasn’t having it unless you read the story to her.” Eve said as she walked out of the bedroom.

 

“Daddy stinks Mommy.” Lily said as she looked at Eve.

 

“Hey” AJ pouted.

 

“She’s right, you do, go shower and I’ll get her ready.”

 

AJ pouted as he watched Eve and Lily walked into the backroom. He walked into the small shower on the bus, only enough room to undress and shower.  Letting the water run down him he felt himself start to relax and come down from the high of performing. Lifting his head he let the water splash onto his face.

 

“Alex?” He heard Eve say and he turned around. “Alex wake up.”

 

AJ opened his eyes and saw Eve sitting on the bed next too him.  He looked around confused and sat up.  Looking down he saw the towel wrapped around him.  “I must have passed out.”

 

“You ok, you look a little frazzled.” Eve said as she stood up letting him get up.

 

“Yeah I’m fine, just didn’t realize I had fallen asleep.”

 

“Well the food is here so get dress and come down and eat.” Eve said before she left the room.

 

AJ got dressed and went downstairs into the kitchen as Eve pulled the food from the bags.  She set everything up on the kitchen island as AJ sat down on a stool.  The couple talked about the meeting tomorrow and their plans for after. 

 

“I can go for groceries while you’re at the meeting.” Eve told him. “I’ll just drive you there and you can call my cell when you’re ready to come home.”

 

“Sounds good.” AJ nodded with a mouth full of food.

 

“You know I was thinking…” Eve started to say.

 

“Uh oh.” AJ jokingly replied.

 

“Shut up.” Eve said rolling her eyes.  “I was thinking maybe I should do an interview.”

 

“Huh?” AJ replied confused.  “You mean about Mats and Thomas?”

 

“About everything, maybe then they’ll back off.” She told him.

 

“Eve, I don’t want you drugging all that stuff up just to appease them, they’ll go away.” AJ told her.

 

“They’ve been here for almost a month now.” Eve said.  “And besides, I want to start looking into adoption.”  The word almost made AJ choke and he coughed a little as he swallowed his food.  He took a sip of his water to help get everything down and then looked at her.

 

“Really?” He replied a little stunned.

 

“After you told me about the dreams you were having it got me thinking and I dunno it felt nice every time I thought about it but we can’t even start if there’s all those people out there and everyone wanting to know our business.” She told him.  “I don’t want people showing up saying take my kid please or having it just interfere with the whole process, it takes long enough as it is.”

 

“But you shouldn’t have to relive everything to do it.” AJ told her.  “You didn’t ask for this, there out there because of me.”

 

“I asked for it the day I married you Alex, yes they are out there because of you and that is a part I accepted when I said yes.” She told him.  “Besides, maybe my Mom will see it and see that she didn’t ruin my life, I didn’t die the day Sean did.”

 

“Eve.” AJ said still unsure.

 

“I’ll trust you and your people, I guess to handle it.” She said as she scooped up some more food.  “I’ll be fine, it’s something I need to do, so we can move on.”

 

 

           

Chapter 38 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                       Chapter Thirty-Eight

 

           

            “Wow he’s on time today.” Howie said with a smile as AJ walked into the meeting room.

 

            “Eve must have driven him.” Nick spoke up.  The guys started laughing, well Howie and Nick did, Brian just sat there quietly.  AJ didn’t say anything as he sat down.  Truth is he hadn’t said much since he had the talk with Eve.  Even though she told him not to worry he couldn’t help it.  She was going to reveal some dark stuff to people who didn’t even know her all because of him.

 

“Everything ok man?” Nick asked.

 

“Just got a lot on my mind.” AJ said as he took a deep breath.

 

“Did they find something out?” Howie asked.

 

“No, nothing new, it’s not that, it’s just Eve told me last night she wants to do an interview.” AJ said and he caught Brian’s head snapping up.

 

“Seriously?” Nick replied.  “Why?”

 

“She wants to get rid of the people outside the house; she wants to get people out of our business because she wants to start looking into adoption.” AJ told them.

 

“Adoption, really?” Howie said with a smile and AJ nodded.

 

“That’s awesome dude.” Nick said as he sat back.

 

“It’s just not fare that she would have to open up to people about something she can barely talk to me about.” AJ said.  “I don’t want her doing it just to appease the magazines.”

 

“Well your way wasn’t working.” Brian mumbled.

 

“Whatever prick.” AJ mumbled back.

 

“I think she’s being smart about it, god knows how long it’s going to take with the past you two have.” Brian said with a sigh.

 

“What the hell does that mean?” AJ asked even though he pretty much knew.

 

“That was uncalled for Bri.” Howie said as he looked from AJ to Brian.

 

“Hey I’m just saying the people at the adoption agency will look into their past, an alcoholic, drug addicted stripper and a drug addicted alcoholic singer.” Brian told them.

 

“That was like eight fucking years ago.” AJ snapped.

 

“And what about last night?” Brian asked.  “You think they are gonna let you adopt a kid when the two of you have your sex exploits all over those magazines.”

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” AJ asked confused.

 

“What are you talking about?” Both Nick and Howie asked as they looked at Brian.

 

“You don’t know?” Brian asked.  “Seems here our newlywed couple decided to do it in the kitchen last night.”

 

“How the hell…” AJ said still really confused.

 

“Close the curtains next time, especially since you have thirty photographers outside your house.” Brian snapped.

 

“No way.” Nick snickered.  “I gotta get to a store.” He said standing up.

 

“Sit down!” Howie yelled at him and then he looked at Brian.  “What are you talking about?”

 

“It’s in all the rag mags, a picture of AJ and Eve having sex up against the fridge.”

 

“Eww, I’m not eating at your place again until you have the kitchen sterilized.” Nick joked.

 

“Shut up!” AJ snapped at him.  He then quickly reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone.

 

“Calling Eve?” Howie asked.

 

“She’s on her way to the supermarket.” AJ said as he pressed the quick dial button.

 

“Shitty.” Nick frowned.  The thought of Eve walking into the store and seeing them on every rack made his chest hurt.  He waited and waited but she didn’t pick up.

 

“Damn it.” He mumbled as he ended the call.  Just then Mike walked into the room and looked at AJ.  “Don’t you even fucking start.” AJ said quickly reading the look on the man’s face.

 

“Alex you had thirty something cameras outside your house.” Mike sighed.

 

“Out front they are supposed to be out front, they’re not allowed in the mountains.  The mountains my back door faces.” AJ said defensively.  “Besides you said you wanted publicity for the new album.” Nick snickered and tried to cover it up.

 

“AJ” Brian sighed.

 

“Actually it would work great with your solo isn’t that what Crazy Love is sorta about?” Nick replied with a smile.

 

“Honestly you two.” Howie piped up.  “Want me to tell Eve you had this conversation?” He asked looking at AJ.

 

“Fine” AJ replied getting the point.  “I’m going to try calling her again. God she’s probably in the store by now.”

 

“Umm.” Nick said and AJ looked up at him as his eyes slowly looked around. 

 

“What?” Howie asked what everyone else was thinking.

 

“Someone wanna call Kevin?” Nick said to them.

 

“Fuck!” AJ yelled as his head hit the table.

 

“What?” Everyone asked.

 

“My Mom.” AJ whined.

 

 

 

 

Eve drove down the street as she looked in the rearview mirror and sighed when she didn’t see the Paparazzi cars behind her.  They had followed her and AJ to the office building; they must have decided to stay with him.  She looked back into the mirror when something caught her eye and her eyebrows frowned when she saw a car following behind her a little too closely.

 

“Nice, I get the straggler.” Eve sighed as she stepped on the gas a little but as she looked back up she noticed the car also sped up.  Just then her cell phone rang and she reached down into her bag and pulled it out.  As she went to hit the answer button something hit the back of her car and she dropped her phone, grabbed the wheel and kept the car in control.  “What the hell asshole.” Eve yelled as she looked in her mirror and pressed on the break to stop but the car behind her bumped her again.

 

Eve started to panic a little and stepped on the gas, she was confused on why this person was following her.  As Eve kept driving the person kept following her, she turned off the main streets and circled around, she drove all over the town to try and shake the car and soon they were on the highway outside of Malibu.  Eve tried reaching down to get her phone to call the police but her seat belt was keeping her from reaching it.  Then as she felt the hard plastic against her finger tips the car jerked forward making her hand slip on the wheel and pulling the car to the right.  She tried sitting up and gaining control but when the car hit the guard rail it went up on two tires and flipped over.  Eve felt her head hit something and a sharp pain ripped through her skull, then everything went black. 

 

When she opened her eyes again she saw her cell lighting up, it was ringing but she couldn’t hear it.  She tried to move her head but it hurt too much.  A shadow came over her and she looked up as someone knelt down beside her.  She went to talk but as she breathed in her chest erupted in pain and she started to cough and wheeze.  A dark cloud drifted over her eyes as the pain in her chest kept her from breathing and she slowly started to pass out. 

 

Her eyes fluttered open and for a moment she saw a white light and then someone in a mask standing over her.  She could breathe again but the object in her mouth told her she wasn’t doing it on her own.  The man standing over her pulled the masked down and his lips moved but no sound came from them.  Eve tried looking beside her but the neck brace prevented her from moving and she wasn’t even sure she could turn her head, she was so tired.  Her eyes slowly drifted around her and she saw the hustle and bustle of the nurses.  She was in a hospital room and she was starting to get confused on why it was so quiet.

 

 Something caught her eye and she looked over at the doctor, he was holding a piece of paper.  “Can you read this blink once for yes twice for no?” Eve read and blinked.  The Doctor wrote something down and then flipped the paper to her again.  “Can you hear me?” He asked and she blinked twice.  Again he wrote something down and turned the paper to her. “Can you hear anything, rumbling, mumbles?” and she blinked twice again.  The Doctor looked at the nurse on the other side of the bed and said something and then the nurse left the room.

 

Eve looked back at the Doctor she was now starting to worry, why couldn’t she hear anything.  Again the Doctor wrote something down and showed it to her.  “This could be temporary; we’ll know more from your MRI.”

 

Eve looked at the Doctor with panic, temporary but there was a chance that it could be permanent? The pain in her chest started to come back as she tried to get her breath.  The Doctor tried to calm her; gently holding her down by the shoulders but that made it worse she was feeling boxed in enough as it was.  She didn’t have to hear to know the Doctor was telling her to calm down but she couldn’t.  He told her there was a possibility she could be deaf, permanently.  She wasn’t sure if it was the panic state she was in or if they gave her something but she felt her eyes getting heavy and then she passed back out.

           

Chapter 39 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                       Chapter Thirty-Nine

 

           

            AJ picked up the phone and dialed Kevin’s number.  His hand shook and he almost dialed wrong.  He put the phone to his ear and waited for his former band mate to pick up.

 

“Hello?” Kevin’s voice spoke as the phone picked up.

 

“Hey Kev it’s Alex.” AJ said into the phone trying to keep himself calm.  “Um, have you seen Eve? Like has she stopped by there at all today?”

 

“No, let me guess she’s pissed over the pictures?” Kevin replied as AJ closed his eyes.

 

“I dunno.” AJ said his voice quivering.  “I’ve been trying to call her cell since I found out at the meeting, she was supposed to pick me up but I had to get Nick to drive me home because she’s not answering her phone and now it just goes to the voice mail.”

 

“Maybe she just needed some alone time.” Kevin told him.  “Maybe she’s with her brother.”

 

“Maybe.”

 

“Want me to come get you and we’ll go over there?” Kevin asked.

 

“Na, we might miss her or something, I guess I’ll give her some more time before going into panic mode.” AJ sighed.

 

“Give me a call if you need to go anywhere.” Kevin said before they said goodbye and hung up. 

 

When AJ hung up he tried Eve’s cell once again and heard her voice mail for the millionth time.  With a sigh he ended the call and ran his fingers through his hair.  “Where are you, you know better than to take off and not tell me.” He whispered as he looked at his phone.  AJ laid back on the couch and waited and waited until what seemed like an eternity his home phone rang.  He jumped up from the couch and grabbed the cordless, saying hello before he even hit the answer button.

 

“Hello?” He repeated into the phone.

 

“Hello Alex it’s Detective Ozwith.” The woman said on the other end.

 

“Hi” AJ said as his chest began to hurt again.

 

“I’m calling about Evelyn she was in a car accident.” She told him.

 

“An accident is…is she ok?” AJ asked a little stunned.

 

“She’s on route to the hospital she’s stable but in serious condition.” The Detective told him.

 

“What happened?” AJ asked.

 

“We’re trying to figure that out, the accident was called in and when the officer on duty saw it was Eve he called me.  Some how her car went up on the guard rails and flipped, we’re not sure yet how fast she was going.”

 

“Flipped?” AJ said his voice starting to show the panic he was feeling on the inside.

 

“Do you know where she was going?” The Detective asked.

 

“To the supermarket to get groceries.” AJ said.

 

“On Highway one?” The Detective asked confused.

 

“Highway one? Why was she on the Highway?”

 

“She wasn’t supposed to be?” The Detective replied.

 

“No, no she was supposed to get groceries and then come get me when my meeting was done.” AJ said quickly.  “I need to go see her.”

 

“I will meet you at the hospital to ask Eve some questions.” She told him.

 

“Ok.” AJ said and the ended the call with her.

 

AJ called a cab and then called Kevin, he told Kevin all he knew and asked him to meet him at the hospital.  He hung up the phone and walked over to the door waiting for the cab to show up, hoping it didn’t take to long to get through the camera’s outside.  Again it seemed like an eternity for the cab driver to get there but when he did AJ locked the door and flew down the drive way, jumping into the car and telling the driver to go to the hospital and fast. 

 

When the cab pulled up to the emergency entrance AJ paid the man and then got out of the car.  He waited for the car to leave and then headed towards the big glass doors.  Again he found himself walking into a hospital wondering if she was alive, if she was ok.  He walked up to the nurses station and asked for her.  They told him to have a seat and the Doctor would be right with him.  AJ sat down with a sigh knowing that when they asked you to wait it was never a good sign and the fact he didn’t have to wait long was a real bad sign. 

 

“Mr. Mclean?” The Doctor asked as AJ stood up.

 

“Yes that’s me.” AJ said with a nervous nod.

 

“Your wife suffered a major head injury caused by the accident, there was major swelling and she was in and out of consciousness a few times.  She also has four cracked ribs and her left lung had collapsed.” The Doctor told him as AJ sat down stunned.  “We were able to re-inflate her lung and she’s on a ventilator until her it is strong enough to breath on it’s own again.”

 

“And the head trauma?” AJ asked as he started to cry.

 

“We’re watching the swelling but right now we are more concerned about the damage to her ears.”

 

“Ears?” AJ asked looking up at the Doctor confused.

 

“When Evelyn was awake I tried asking her some questions, who she was, what year it was, she didn’t responded to my voice at all.” The Doctor told him.  “I had to write it down for her and because of the ventilator tube I had her blink once for yes and twice for no. I asked her if she could hear me she blinked twice for no, I then asked her if she could hear anything, like mumbles or muffled sounds, she blinked twice for no again.”  AJ sat there silently, stunned as the Doctor continued.  “We do not know if this is something permanent right now, it could be temporary damage but we’ll know more from the MRI.”

 

“Can I see her?” AJ asked.

 

“Yes of course but right now she is most likely sleeping, we had to give her a light sedative, she became quite upset most likely from the Panic Disorder.” The Doctor said.

 

“Ok” AJ nodded as he followed the Doctor down the hall.  Everything seemed like haze and he felt like he was floating on air, what was happening just didn’t seem real.  The Doctor stopped in front of a private room door and motioned for AJ to go in.  AJ said thank you and the Doctor left back towards the Nurses station.

 

With a deep breath he opened the door and walked into the room.  His breath disappeared and his eyes fell in pain as he saw her lying in the bed.  Slowly he walked up to her bed side and saw her staring at the ceiling but when he took her hand she looked over at him quickly.  He didn’t know what to say, not that he could say anything because she wouldn’t understand him.  Her face wasn’t too bad; just some minor cuts he assumed were caused by the flying glass.  His eyes fell to hers again and he frowned as he saw the fear in them.  Letting go of her hand AJ pulled down the roll bar and sat down beside her.  He took her hand again and leaned down, gently kissing her forehead and then her cheek.  He held her as best he could in a hug, hoping it would be enough to let her know it would be ok.  When he sat up he looked at her again, her eyes were heavy and he could tell she was fighting sleep.  He brushed the back of his hand down her cheek and closed his eyes motioning for her to get some rest.  Lightly he kissed the back of her hand as he watched her eyes flutter closed. 

 

He sat on the edge of her bed watching her, his hand still brushing along her cheek as he held her hand in his other.  AJ was about to get up when the door quietly opened and a nurse poked her head inside.

 

“You have family here.” She whispered with a light smile.

 

“Ok.” AJ lightly nodded and smiled.  He put her hand down and got up from the bed.  Quietly closing the door AJ walked out into the hallway where he was greeted by the Nurse.

 

“They are in the waiting room.” She told him with a light smile.

 

“Thanks” He replied and then made his way there.  When he walked in he saw Kristin and Kevin sitting in the empty room.

 

“What’s going on is she ok?” Kevin asked.

 

“She’s alive.” AJ replied.  “I need to sit down.” 

 

Kevin helped AJ sit down.  “You need a coffee or something?”

 

“Water would be nice.” AJ replied.

 

 

“I’ll get it.” Kristin said and left the room.  AJ gathered his thoughts and for the first time came face to face with what was going on by the time he was ready to talk Kristin was back with his water.

 

“She has serious head trauma and there is swelling, she has four cracked ribs and her lung collapsed.” AJ told them, his voice quivering.  “They fixed her lung and her ribs, and they’re watching the swelling but…” He stopped, if he said it, it would make it real but you only did that with things that were pretend and the possibility of Eve not being able to hear ever again was very, very real.

 

“But what Alex?” Kevin asked.

 

“There’s…there’s something wrong with her ears, she couldn’t hear the Doctor when he was asking her questions, they think it could have something to do with the head trauma but we won’t know until the MRI comes back.” He said as the couple listened.

 

“You mean she’s deaf? How long will it last?” Kristin asked.

 

“We don’t know, it could be temporary or it could be permanent like I said gotta wait for the MRI.” He sighed.  “I wanted to tell her everything would be ok, I wanted to ask her so many questions, like what the hell was she doing on the damn highway? But I couldn’t she wouldn’t understand me.” AJ moaned as he rubbed his face with his hands.  “God and she probably still doesn’t know about the picture.”

 

“Yeah, saw that.” Kevin said quickly.

 

“Already got the lecture from your cousin.” AJ mumbled.

 

“Oh I can imagine.” Kevin said with almost a wanting in his voice, wanting to be there for that fight.  “Your Mom gets a lot of those in the mail doesn’t she?”

 

“Yes” AJ replied with a stern tone as he remembered the conversation with her before leaving the Jive office building.

 

“Ouch man, seriously, I feel for ya bro.” Kevin replied with a light smile.

 

“Pisses me off, they aren’t suppose to be back there, those mountains are restricted.” AJ sighed as he sat back.  “Just when ya think everything has calmed down America wakes up to my ass and Eve flips her fucking car almost killing herself, like seriously who the fuck did I piss off up there.”

           

Chapter 40 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                              Chapter-Forty

 

           

            AJ sat on the chair beside Eve’s bed, his head resting on his hand as he leaned on the mattress.  He held her hand and gently skimmed his thumb along the back.  She lied awake now staring at the ceiling, every once in a while her eyes would drift over to the window or to him and then she would look back up.  They both waited patiently for the Doctor to let them know the results of the MRI.  AJ looked down at the notepad remembering when the nurse had brought it in, he wrote Hi and smiled at her but she grabbed it out of his hands and threw it to the floor and that was the end of using the notepad.  So now they sat here in silence waiting. 

 

            The door opened and the Doctor walked in, he had a large envelope in his hand and he walked right over to the white board on the wall.  He flicked a switch and the back of the board lit up.  He then opened the envelope and stuck two X-ray like pictures up against it.

 

“This is a MRI of Evelyn’s brain, from the right side and the left side.” The Doctor said as he pointed to each picture.  “This is her ear; this is her ear drum, this is the Cochlea.  This space right here and here is where the Auditory Nerve is supposed to be attached to the Cochlea; basically it’s the part that translates the sounds so the brain can understand them.  The head trauma she suffered caused the string like nerves to detach, we’re still not sure how much damage has been done, there’s still some swelling.”

 

“Can it be fixed, like with surgery or something?” AJ asked.

 

“Well, it can be but to be honest the chance it would work is still pretty fifty fifty, not to mention we don’t know how badly damaged the Nerves are and the risk of going in and having something happen is pretty high.” The Doctor told him. 

 

“Than it’s permanent?” AJ asked.

 

“We’re not one hundred percent sure yet, we’ll take another MRI in a few days, when more of the swelling goes down learn more about the damage that’s been done but Evelyn can still live a normal life. You’ll both have to learn how to sign and we’ll get her into therapy, where she can learn to read lips and to pick up on her other senses.” The Doctor told him.

 

“Ok” AJ said not really knowing what to say, like doing all of that would make it better.  He didn’t want to look at Eve, she would read his face and know something was wrong.  AJ looked up as the Doctor walked over to her beside across from him and handed her a piece of paper.  He looked at her as her eyes skimmed from left to right and then her hand started to shake.  She looked over at AJ the tears already forming in both their eyes.  The Doctor began to write something down on the notepad, when he turned it around AJ read it.

 

“You can still have a very normal life, with a little time and some work, things will be fine.” He said before he turned to look at AJ.  “I’ll get the nurse to bring in some information and a hearing therapist will be in to see her.”

 

“Ok” AJ nodded his body had gone numb.

 

The Doctor left the room and AJ looked over to Eve when he heard something slam against the steel roll bar.  She was crying her hand rested on her forehead.  He stood up and leaned over her, her eyes darted to him.  “Relax.” He said slowly hoping she would understand and by the pissed off look she shot him, she understood just fine.  He wanted to tell her she needed to relax and not throw herself into a Panic Attack but what good would it do, if she even understood what he said how could he ask her to be relaxed after finding out what they had. 

Evelyn started to cry harder and AJ took her hands.  “Eve calm down.” He told her but it did no good, her face was going red from crying so hard and now she started choking on the ventilator.  Her hands reached up to grab the plastic tube but he stopped her, not wanting her to rip it out.  Then beeps and buzzes started going off and within a flash the nurses came running in.

 

“What happened?” One nurse asked.

 

“She just started freaking out, I…I think she’s having a Panic Attack.” AJ said scared and unsure.  The Nurse ushered him out of the room but he didn’t stop looking at Eve until the door closed and she disappeared behind it.

 

“Alex?” He heard from down the hall and he turned his head to see Kevin and Kristin walking down the hall towards him.  “What’s going on?”

 

“The Doctor told us that the hearing loss is most likely permanent.” AJ told them as he looked back at the door.  “She’s upset, went into a Panic Attack I think.”

 

“Alex.” Kevin said sadly.

 

“Doctor says everything will be fine but how can it be fine, she can’t hear.” AJ said looking at his friend. 

 

“What about surgery?” Kristin asked.

 

“Not worth the risk and probably won’t fix it.” AJ told her.  “I don’t know how to deal with this, what do I say to her, what do I do?”

 

            “You tell her exactly what the Doctor told her, whether you believe it or not.  You tell her everything will be fine because it will be, yes it’s a shock now but the Doctor is right Alex it’s not the end of the world, she can live a normal life and she needs to hear that from you.” Kristin said.

 

            “I need to call my Mom.” AJ said wiping his eyes.

 

“I can call for ya man, you stay here with Eve.” Kevin told him.

 

            AJ was about to reply when Eve’s door opened and the nurses came out.  AJ looked past them and saw Eve lying on the bed.  He then looked at the Nurse who walked up to him.  “We gave her a sedative and she’s calmed down, you can go back in now.”

 

“Ok, thanks.” AJ said with a light nod.

 

He looked at Kevin and Kristin and then headed back into the room.  He walked over to her bedside and looked at her as she slept.  Taking her hand he sat back down in the chair.  He stared at her and brought the back of her hand to his lips.  “Everything will be ok Evie, it’ll be ok.”

 

Laying his head down, he kept her hand at his lips and closed his eyes.  The machines hummed and beeped around him.  Then he heard the door to her room open and he slowly sat up.  It was Detective Ozwith and she had another officer with her.

 

“Hello Alex.” The woman said with a light smile.

 

“She’s sleeping right now can you come back and talk to her later?” He asked not wanting to wake her up.

 

“Of course I’ve already talked to her Doctor and he thinks it is best we wait till tomorrow to ask her some questions but I need to talk to you as well.” She told him.

 

“Me? I really don’t know how I can help you, like I said she was supposed to be going to the supermarket.” AJ said as he rubbed his eyes.

 

“Yes, well the CSI Technician did some preliminary tests on the vehicle and it seems there was some other damage done to the car besides what was caused by the accident.” The Woman said.  “Did you or Eve have a rear end accident recently, like with the photographers or anything?”

 

“No” AJ said shaking his head.  “Why?”

 

“We think she might have been rear ended and that maybe how she went up on the guard rail and the technician said she was going at least ninety miles an hour and…”

 

“What?” AJ said quickly.  “No, no there’s no way Eve would be driving that fast even on a highway, she wasn’t a speeder.” AJ told them and then it hit him, the rear damage to the car, Eve driving so fast.  “You think this accident has anything to do with Mats? Do you think someone was chasing her?”

 

“We’re not sure yet that’s why we wanted to talk to you and Eve.” The Detective said.  “I will be back in the morning and by then I’ll have more answers or questions from the CSI Lab, until then I will keep someone outside her door just to be safe.”

 

“Thanks.” AJ said looking back to Eve. 

 

When the Detective left AJ looked up at the ceiling and sighed.  “This was supposed to be over, Mats is dead, why, why are you punishing us so much?” He asked as he started to cry again.  AJ laid his head down and cried as he held her hand close to her face.

 

He ended up crying himself right to sleep and didn’t wake up for a couple of hours.  His back ached as he slowly sat up and he moaned as he gently rubbed the small of his back.  He looked at Eve and saw her lying there still sleeping and he wondered if she had woken up at all.  Getting up from his chair AJ walked out of the room and headed down to the waiting room to get a bottle of water.  When he walked into the room it was full of family and friends.  Kevin and Kristin were still there and they were joined by Howie, Leigh B, Nick and AJ’s Mom.

 

“When did you get here?” AJ asked as she walked up to him and hugged him, holding him tightly.

 

“About an hour ago, the nurse let me go down to the room but you were both sleeping so I let you be.” She replied with a light smile.  “How is she handling it?”

 

“Not good.” AJ told her.  “She won’t talk to me or anyone, I tried getting her to talk to me by writing stuff down on a pad of paper the Nurses had given us but she threw it across the room.” He said with a light shrug.

 

“What about you?” She asked.

 

“I dunno.” AJ said with a sigh.  “I want to tell her she’ll be ok but if she can’t hear me than what good would it do.  I could write it down but that just makes me feel like I’m treating her like…like…I dunno.” He moaned as he sat down.  “I really don’t know what to do, where to go from here and now the Detective is telling me there could be a link to the accident and Mats.”

 

“What how?” Everyone in the room asked.

 

“They asked me if Eve or I had been rear ended, I guess there’s some rear damage to the car that doesn’t add up, they also said she was driving at like ninety miles an hour down highway one.” AJ told them.  “But that’s not Eve she doesn’t drive fast…”

 

“Yeah you’re the speed demon.” Nick joked and everyone was able to crack a smile.

 

“So they think she was being chased?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah, they’re still collecting evidence and stuff but Detective Ozwith has posted a cop at the door so…” AJ replied with a light shrug.

 

“So that’s what he’s doing there.” Kevin said more to himself than to everyone else.

 

AJ stood up and walked over to the vending machine, he could feel the eyes staring at him.  He put his money and pressed the buttons and then waiting for the bottle to fall.  Turning around he looked at everyone.  “I better get back down there in case she wakes up and needs something.”

 

“If you need anything I’m right here, I’ll come and check on you in a little bit.” Denise said as she hugged her son one more time.

 

“Ok” AJ replied and he found himself saying that word a lot today.

           

Chapter 41 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                          Chapter-Forty One

 

The next couple of days seem to float by, Eve ignored everyone, and pretty much stared at the ceiling or out the window.  She wouldn’t even talk to the Detective when she came in but Ozwith agreed to give her a couple of days.  AJ still hadn’t told her about the pictures even though people had pretty much forgotten about it and were interested in what was happening now.  A bunch of Paparazzi’s hung around outside the hospital, AJ almost got into a fight with one when he went for a smoke.

 

Today he hoped would be a better day because today the Doctor was taking out the tube and they were going to start therapy to help her to start breathing on her own again.  Maybe now she would be able to say something, maybe she’d feel more comfortable communicating.  She had been awake most of the morning they wanted to make sure she understood she had to be as calm as possible.  They told her she would have a little trouble at first but to stay relaxed and her lungs would pick up.  AJ stayed beside her as long as he could but when it was time to take the tube out the Nurse asked him to leave. 

 

Now he waited outside her room he could hear a light commotion behind the door and hoped everything was going ok.  About ten minutes after he left the Nurses and Doctor came out and told him Eve was doing well.  They told him she needed to stay relaxed and within a couple of hours she’ll find it easier to breath.  He stared at her door for a minute and then walked up and opened it. 

 

They had raised the bed up and she now sat up.  A small plastic tube strung along under her nose.  She wiped her face cleaning up the tape that had held down the ventilator tube.  He expected her too look up hearing the door opened but then he remembered she couldn’t hear the clicking of the door opening or the commotion outside of it.  Letting the door close behind him he walked over to her bed and it wasn’t until his body cast a shadow did she look up.  Her hair was flat and hung in her face, her eyes were sunken a little and they had dark circles around them.  She looked weak and tired and the redness in her eyes didn’t help much.

 

AJ walked over to the side of her bed and pulled the roll bar down; he then sat down and did something he had been dying to do since he heard the news.  He wrapped his arms around her and held her gently in a hug.  He wasn’t sure if it was the feeling of holding her or the fact she started crying but he started crying too.  Remembering what Kristin said he slowly pulled away and gently kissed her on the temple.  He then placed his hands on the side of her neck and looked her in the eyes.

 

“It’s going to be ok.” He said as he made sure to speak clearly.

 

She frowned immediately, her shaky hand reached up and her finger tips gently touched his lips.  Her eyes fell in pain and she started crying again.  He pulled her into his arms and rested her head on his shoulder.  His eyes closed as he rested the side of his head on top of hers.  AJ sat there holding her for a few moments but when she had calmed down he needed to get some answers.  He pulled her away and grabbed the notepad and he heard her moan but he didn’t care right now he needed to know why she was on the highway.

 

“What where you doing on the highway?” He wrote and showed her.  Her eyes reluctantly looked at the paper but as she read the words she sighed.  She then took the pad and pen from him and began writing.

 

When she was done Eve handed the paper back to him.  “I was being chased by a Photographer, at least I thought but then he started hitting me from behind, I lost control trying to get to my cell to call the Police.”

 

AJ wrote back. “Detective Ozwith wants to ask you questions.”

 

Eve took the paper and started writing but AJ could see what it was.  “It’s the person that helped Mats get to Kentucky isn’t it?”  He looked at her and lightly shrugged.  She put the pen down with a sigh and sat back. 

 

Just then there was a knock at the door and AJ turned around.  Him moving must have gotten Eve’s attention because she looked up as the door opened and a small crew of people came in.  Kevin, Kristin, Denise, Howie and Leigh B all walked in with smiles on their faces.  AJ looked at Eve as everyone waved at her and said hello, she replied with a light smile.

 

“What’s up?” AJ asked.

 

“The Nurse said we could all come in for a visit for a bit.” Denise told him.  “How is she doing?”

 

“A little better I guess, she’s talking.” He said nodding to the notepad. “But I don’t think she’s really up to having a conversation with everyone here.”

 

“We know sweetheart we just wanted to say hello and then we were going to go get something to eat, I’m going to bring you guys back something, I’m sure she could use a good meal.” Denise said with a light smile.

 

“Sounds good.” AJ replied. 

 

Everyone said goodbye and AJ saw them out of the room.  When he turned around after closing the door he saw Eve writing something.  He walked back over to the bed a sat down and read what was on the paper.

 

“I didn’t see Brian.” AJ read.  He took the pad from her and wrote back.  “He hasn’t been here and that’s fine by me, don’t need him here telling me how we asked for this because of what happened between Sarah and I.”  He then continued writing.  “Plus we are pretty much not talking to each other at this point?”

 

AJ looked at her as Eve gave him a puzzling look.  Well this was it he was going to have to tell her about the pictures.  “Remember the night in the kitchen?” He looked at her and she nodded.  “Turns out there were photogs in the mountains and…” His hand stopped writing when she grabbed it, he looked at her and he could tell by the look in her eyes she knew.  “They were in all the rag mags the next morning, I was trying to call you to tell you but you never answered your cell.”

 

She took the pen.  “That’s why you were calling?” She asked and he nodded. 

 

Eve covered her face with her hands and whined.  AJ placed his hand on her leg and gently rubbed it.  He looked up when he heard the scratching of the pen and saw her writing.

 

“Go home get something to eat and get some sleep.” He read out loud.  Shaking his head he took the pad from her and began writing.  “Mom’s bringing us something back and I’m not going home until you do.”

 

“Shower?” She wrote back.

 

“Mom brought me clothes and there’s a place I can shower here.  I’m not leaving.  I don’t want you to be alone right now.”

 

She looked away after reading it and wiped her eyes.  Her breathing started to get a little heavy so he reached over and took her by the shoulders.  Eve looked at him and he gently pushed her back against her pillows.  He then grabbed the pad of paper and wrote something down.

 

“Relax, you just got off the ventilator don’t need to go back on.”

 

She closed her eyes and covered them with her hand and her breathing began to slow.  A moment later she put her hand down and he took it, tangling his fingers through hers.  He watched her as she stared at their hands and then he reached over grabbing the pen in his free hand.  He wrote something down and then turned the paper to her.

 

Eve looked at the pad and a small smile broke across her face.  She took the pen and wrote back.  “I love you too.”  He returned the smile and was about to kiss her but was interrupted by the door opening.  When he turned around he saw Eve’s Doctor walk in.  He said hello as he posted more X-rays up on the board.

 

“Well I have some good news today.” He told them and AJ felt some excitement build inside him.  He looked at the white board as the Doctor began to talk.  “This is the X-Ray I showed you a couple of days ago, this is the one we took early this morning.  These lines right here are Auditory Nerves, so what this tells us is that there are still some nerves attached to her brain.”

 

“What does that mean?” AJ asked.

 

“It means that there is still a chance Eve will get some of her hearing back.  It won’t be all of it, she’ll most likely have to wear a hearing aid but the sooner we can get her into therapy the better the odds are.” He said as a small smile broke from AJ’s lips. 

 

He turned and looked at his wife who looked at both men a little confused.  AJ grabbed the pad of paper and wrote.  “There are still some nerves attached, he said you still might get your hearing back.”

 

“I’ve already notified her therapist for when she goes down for her first session today and I’ll schedule another MRI for a few days from now, if the results for that one are like this one she’ll be able to go home then as well.” The Doctor told AJ and that news took a huge weight off his shoulders.

 

The Doctor left and AJ told Eve that she would be going home soon and by the smile on her face he could tell she was relieved. “This is good news.” He wrote and she nodded as she leaned in and hugged him.  “I’m going to go call Mom.” He told her and she nodded in acknowledgment. 

 

AJ walked down the hall towards the waiting room as he pulled out his cell phone.  As he looked for his Mom’s number someone tapped him on the shoulder and he turned around.  “Hi” He said as he stared at Sarah in front of him.

 

“Hi” She replied.  “I was just coming to get a drink and saw that you headed in here.”

 

“Yeah, I was about to call my Mom.” AJ told her.

 

“Eve’s still in here?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” He replied. 

 

“Sorry to hear about what happened, I hope she’s ok, the news isn’t saying much.” Sarah said as she walked over to the vending machine.

 

“She’s doing better, we just got some good news, that’s why I was calling Mom.” AJ told her.  “So what are you doing here?”

 

“Visiting my Aunt, she came in for some surgery, it’s routine and she’s doing good.” Sarah replied as she reached down for her bottle.

 

“I don’t know if I ever told you but I’m sorry for what happened.” AJ said.

 

“No you’re not.” Sarah replied with a light smile.  “If you were sorry that would mean you wished it hadn’t happened or that it was a mistake besides you guys are married now so obviously it was meant to be.”  AJ lightly smiled he had to agree with that.  “Anyways I should get going; I really hope things get better for the two of you.”

 

“Thanks.” AJ replied “Me too.”

           

           

Chapter 42 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                          Chapter-Forty Two

 

            AJ sat in the chair beside the therapy bed Eve sat on.  The therapist was teaching her how to recognize certain shapes the mouth would take when people talked and how to determine the similar ones apart from each other.  It had been a couple of weeks since the accident and the Doctors were finally talking about her going home.  He hadn’t missed one therapy session with her but the tour was creeping closer and closer and he wondered how he could be there for her, how he could be in two places at once.  AJ’s thoughts were interrupted when the therapist spoke up in a louder tone.

 

            “Your hearing aid came in today.” She signed to Eve slowly.

 

During the second session they had fitted her ear for a special hearing aid.  It sat behind the ear and it had a small thin wire coming from the back that attached onto her head just behind her ear with a small patch.  The patch had little nodes that sent small signals to the tips of the Auditory Nerve stimulating them when the hearing aid on her ear picked up the sounds.  Their hopes were that the device would ‘wake up’ the nerves and they would start producing sound and signals to the brain again.

 

AJ looked over at Eve as she lightly smiled at the woman.  She was still pretty quiet; she still won’t talk even though the doctors told her she should, so she could get a feel on how to control her pitch and tone as she talked.  God knows he tried to get her to open up many times but she’d rather write than speak.  Her moods on the other hand have been up and down like a rollercoaster, one minute she’s smiling and working with him on learning how to sign, then the next she’s angry and bitter, or then she’d start crying and acting depressive and it wasn’t always in that order, she was all over the place but the Doctors said that would be normal as she learns to adjust to this new life.

 

The police confirmed she was being chased but they have no leads as to who it was.  That was another thing he worried about; when he went on tour she would be home alone.  He thought about taking her but it would be too hard.  She was still pretty sore in the back and rib area, not to mention the lack of sleep and late hours wouldn’t be good for her in such a short time after the accident.

 

“I want you to keep a journal and when, if you hear anything write it down.  What it sounded like and the date and time, it’ll help us understand how often or how loud the sound comes to you.” The woman signed after she put the hearing aid on for Eve.  “It may take a couple of days or weeks or months or it may not happen at all.”

 

AJ was impressed with how quickly Eve had picked up sign language.  He was having a hard time keeping up and he found himself getting frustrated with it, getting angry at the fact this was the only way he could actually talk to her and he wasn’t getting it; at least not fast enough for him.            But then again he guessed she really didn’t have a choice but to learn.

 

“You can take her back up to her room now.” The woman said as she looked at AJ.

 

“ok” AJ replied as he wiped his hands on his jeans and stood up.  He helped her down off the bed and took her arm in his and began to slowly walk her over of the therapy room.  It was a slow quiet walk up to her room and when they arrived he helped her into the bed.  He looked at her as she fixed the blankets around herself.  “How are you doing?” He asked as he signed hoping he got it right.

 

“I’m fine.” She replied with a light smile but he still wondered if she was telling the truth.  “What does it look like?” she asked as AJ followed her hands.

 

He started to sign “It looks bad.” She frowned and he immediately knew he signed wrong. He resigned the word and said. “Fine?”

 

She lightly smiled and shook her head.  She stared at him for a moment and the look confused him a little.  Then she signed the last word he signed and to his amazement spoke.  “Bad” and then signed another word “Fine.”

 

At first he was taken back by her voice.   It was a little loud and slower than she usually spoke.  “Oh” He replied when he realized his mistake.  “It looks fine.” He resigned.  “Sorry” He signed.

 

“It’s ok” She replied with a light smile.

 

“You talked.” He said and she frowned again.

 

“Not going to happen all the time.” She replied.  AJ took her hands and held them in his. 

 

“I love you.” He told her.

 

Eve pulled her hands away and signed.  “I love you too.” He sighed a little inside hoping she would say the words, at least this once but she didn’t and he knew he would probably never hear her say them again.  Just then the door opened and Eve’s Doctor walked in.  The couple smiled at the man and said hello. 

 

“How are things?” The man signed to Eve.

 

“Ok” She replied.  “I really want to go home.”

 

“I know.” He signed back.  “And that’s why I’m here.” He said as he sat down beside her bed.  “We got your tests back and everything looks good.  Swelling is gone and there is definitely still some Auditory Nerves attached, and I see you have the hearing aid.”

 

AJ sat and listened as the doctor explained things to her, about how her therapy would work, how she would have to come in three times a week for the next three months and then once every week after that.  He also told her that if or when the first time she hears something to call his office right away, whether it happens again or not.

 

“Well every thing seems to be in order.” The Doctor said as he looked over the chart in his hands.

 

“So when will she be able to go home?” AJ asked.

 

“Today if she wants too.” The doctor replied and AJ smiled as he looked at Eve who looked at him confused and AJ knew she was wondering if she read his lips right.  “I’ll get her discharge papers, it will take a half hour or so and then she can go.”  The Doctor said as he stood up and closed his metal clipboard.  “You’ve done an amazing job Eve, you should be proud of yourself.” He signed, smiled and then left the room.

 

AJ looked back at Eve.  “He said I could go home?”

 

“Yep” AJ nodded.  “He just has to do the paper work.” He signed to her and as he did her smile broke across her face.  She threw her arms out and wrapped him in a hug squeezing him tightly.  AJ smiled and then lightly laughed at her excitement, not that he could blame her for being so excited.

 

“Should we get my things?” She asked.

 

“Yeah sure.” He replied with a nod.  “I’m gonna call Mom and let her know.”

 

“Ok.” Eve signed and then pulled the blankets off her.  AJ stood at the door before he left and watched her as she collected her belongings around the room.  He smiled; she had life in her again, if only for a little while it was nice too see.  AJ walked down the hall and into the waiting room, there were a few people in there and a couple of them recognized him.  Opening his phone he hit the speed dial button for his Mom’s cell and called her.

 

It rang about three times before she answered.  “Hello?”

 

“Hey Ma it’s me.” AJ replied.  “Got some good news.”

 

“Really?” She said with some excitement in her voice.

 

“Yeah, Doc said she could go home, he’s getting the paper work ready we’ll be home in about an hour.” He told her.  “I want to take her out for something to eat, maybe a walk around the beach, just let her get out for a bit.”

 

“Sounds good darling, that’ll be good for her.” She told him.  “Do you want me to call the guys?”

 

“Please” He replied.

 

“No problem.” Denise said.  AJ talked to her for a little longer told her what exactly the Doctor said and how Eve had gotten her hearing aid today.  About five minutes later AJ hung up the phone and headed to Eve’s room.

 

When he walked in he saw her sitting on the bed, with her bags all ready to go.  “You’re fast.” He signed and she smiled.

 

“How is your Mom?” She asked.

 

“Good.” He replied.  “She’ll see us when we get back to the house.”

 

“I’m glad she stayed, I’m glad she was here for you.” Eve signed.

 

“Me too but I’m sure now that you’re home she’ll head back to Florida.” AJ told her.

 

“Should I ask the Doctor about touring?” She asked.

 

“Eve, we talked about this, you’re still recovering and the schedule would be too much right now.” He signed but he felt bad, he wanted her to go, he didn’t want to let her out of his sight and he pretty much hadn’t since the accident.  “I can get my Mom to stay or I can get Kevin or Kris to check up on you.”

 

“I don’t need a babysitter.” She signed quickly and with some anger.

 

“Evie.” AJ said as he put his hand on the side of her arm.

 

“You don’t want me to go do you?” Eve signed her anger still apparent.

 

“What? No?” AJ signed back quickly.

 

“Yes, because I’ll be a hindrance.”

 

“No.” AJ replied with his hands sternly.  “You will never be that to me, never Evie.” AJ signed as best he could and she replied with a roll of her eyes.

 

Here we go again, her mood starting to fall fast.  He sighed when she looked away and out the window.  Looking at her his heart broke, he wanted to tell her more so much more but he couldn’t, limited to what he had learn, and even that wasn’t so great she was just able to piece it together.  He just had to remind himself of what the Doctor told him, that this was temporary and with the help of her psychiatrist she would come around and the mood swings would subside.  How he hated this feeling, the feeling of helplessness, he hated the places it took his mind, places he hadn’t been too in a long time.  AJ closed his eyes and took a deep breath.  There had to be something he could do.

Chapter 43 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                         Chapter-Forty Three

 

           

            Sitting in the patio chair Eve looked around at everyone in her backyard.  Alex was there with his Mother, Kevin and Kristen where there as well as Howie and his soon to be wife Leigh.  They laughed, they smiled, and they talked but why they laughed, why they smiled and what they talked about she didn’t know.  Her world was silent now and it made her feel so incredibly lonely.  It really was true what they said about being deaf, like going through life with the mute button on and she hated it.  Again her life had been flipped upside down, her life changed because of someone else and just like last time she was expected to just deal with it.  Well last time there were options, adoption, surrogates and others but this, there was no options for this. 

 

            She looked over at her husband as he talked on his cell phone with someone.  A feeling of sadness came over her and she looked away not wanting anyone to see her cry, thank god for dark sunglasses.  Eve closed her eyes and pulled herself together.  God how she missed his voice, the raspy, soothing, and caring tone it always carried.  Her mind took her back to the day they took the tube out, when he walked into her room, sat down beside her, kissed her temple as he placed his hands on the side of her neck and said “Everything would be ok.” 

 

            There was no sound, no voice, his lips moved and nothing came out.  It was then it hit her how bad it was.  The first few days she was in the hospital she had the tube down her throat and groggy from the meds but that, that was her wake up call, she was deaf.  Her mind started thinking about other things she would never be able to do again.  She would never be able to dance for him, she would never be able to hear him sing to her as they lied in bed and the kicker was she would never be able to hear her kitchen working behind her. 

 

            A shadow came over her and she looked up to see AJ kneeling down beside her.  She looked up at him and tried to push her thoughts away but it was hard when her thoughts were all she had.  He signed to her that everyone was starting to head out.  Well he signed that everyone was dark but she knew what he meant and didn’t feel like correcting him this time.

 

Eve stood up and followed AJ and everyone around the side of the house.  It was nice not having the paps out front, well there were still a few but nothing like it was before the accident.  As she looked around at everyone talking while they stood in the driveway, that lonely feeling came back.  Almost like being the last kid in the class being picked for gym.  Feeling like she was missing out on some huge inside joke and it ate at her, made her angry and hurt in one second flat.  She looked up when something caught her eye and saw everyone looking at her.

 

She saw their mouths move as they gave a waved and being able to put two and two together realized they were all waving goodbye to her.  Putting on her bravest face she smiled and waved back.  Eve walked into the house and looked back, sighing as she watched the door close she then walked into the living room and curled into the corner of the couch.  She thought about turning on the TV but she wanted to watch TV not read it.  Again she found herself in her own world, the silence everywhere and then another shadow crept across her.  She looked up and saw AJ standing behind her head as her rested on the arm of the couch. 

 

“Are you ok?” He signed. 

 

Was she ok? How could she even begin to tell him what was wrong without writing a novel.  She sat up confused when he quickly walked out of the room and a minute later came back in with a pad of paper and a pen.

 

“Are you fucking kidding me?” She thought very annoyed.

 

“Tell me what’s wrong.” AJ signed to her and then handed her the pad.

 

“Not enough paper.” She signed back, her hands lightly slapping against each other as they drifted angrily pasted each other as she signed.

 

“Then talk.” He sighed.  Eve stared at him for a minute and then shook her head as she looked away.  She felt his fingers gently touch under her chin and he pulled her head so she would look at him.  “If you’re not going to sign or write and tell me what’s wrong, what you’re feeling then talk and tell me.”

 

Frustrated that he just wouldn’t back off for a moment, was it to much to ask to just let her wallow for a bit and was it to much to ask for him to understand why she didn’t want to talk.  Irritated she grabbed the pad and pen from him and began writing.  What started out as a paragraph turned into two and two paragraphs turned into a page.  When she was done she tossed the pad on the other side of the couch, stood up and stormed off upstairs.

 

She slammed the door behind her and sat down on the bed.  Taking a deep breath as she closed her eyes she tried to calm herself.  As her frustration and anger began to drift away her mind began to remember the last paragraph of the letter.

 

“You have no idea what it is like for me right now, I’m sorry I’m not giving you what you need but you’re not the one who will never hear again!! I can’t hear anything Alex nothing, not a bird chirping, or a dog barking and I definitely can’t hear myself talk.  I don’t know what I sound like, I don’t know if I’m yelling.  I have so much stuff I’m trying to fucking deal with in my head I don’t need that fucking with my emotions along with everything else.  Why can’t you just give me the time I need.  You have no idea how incredibly alone I feel right now and no there is nothing you can do. I’m sure you have a million things to do before you start rehearsals next week and then the tour, plus your solo, so just worry about that and let me deal with this because I’m the only one who can deal with this.”

 

Eve started to feel guilty as she went over her angry words in the letter.  She couldn’t even imagine how hard this was for him.  What he went through while waiting in the ER, going from hospital to studio, from studio to hospital and now he had promo coming up and the tour.  She didn’t want to be a hindrance to him, she didn’t want him to have to be worried about her twenty four seven but right now she needed him.  Eve wanting nothing more than to ask him to just stop everything, stop it all and stay with her, take care of her and get her out of the this dark place the silence was taking her.  But she knew she couldn’t, the group was his life, he loved it as much as he loved her and she didn’t want to take that away from him.  Especially with his own stuff finally coming out, he’s been so excited.

 

With a sigh she opened her eyes and saw AJ standing in the doorway.  Looking down at her fingers as she picked at her nails she could feel him walk over to her.  The bed shifted as he sat down beside her, his arm gently wrapped around her waist and when she felt his hand slide along her back, sadness over came her as fast as the anger did.  Laying her head on his shoulder she began to cry.  She waited to hear him say “It will be ok darling” She waited to hear him say “We’ll get through this like everything else.” But all she heard was silence. 

 

Why, why did she feel like this? Alex was right there holding her and yet she felt like he was a thousand miles away.  She didn’t want to get mad at him but the silence around her always ended up closing in and it would engulf her thoughts and her feelings.  Wiping her eyes as AJ slowly pulled them apart she tried to calm herself.

 

Eve looked up when AJ started signing.  “You just arrived home, been a long day, maybe you should sleep?”

 

She nodded; maybe sleep was a good idea.  He moved out of the way and pulled the blankets down for her as she stretched her legs out.  Reaching behind her ear Eve slipped the hearing aid from her ear and looked at it as it sat in her hand.  His fingers drifted over the device and he took it from her hand, placing it on top of the night stand.  When his eyes met hers again she frowned.

 

“I’m so sorry.” She signed and he quickly shook his head.

 

“No, it’s not your fault, you can not help it.” AJ signed to her.

 

“Getting better.” She replied with a light smile.

 

“I try.” He signed with a goofy smile. 

 

Eve laid her head on her pillow and AJ stood up and kissed her softly on the lips.  Her eyes fluttered as he signed ‘I love you.’  She lightly smiled as he kissed the back of her hand and the gently placed it beside her on the bed.  The last thing she remembered before falling asleep was AJ walking out the door.

 

When her eyes opened again she was back in the car driving down the hi-way.  Before she had time to think what she was doing there the car jerked forward and the wheel almost spun out of her hands.  She grabbed it and took control back.  Then she remembered the cell of the floor, leaning down she quickly reached for the phone and almost hand it in her hand when the car jerked again.  The wheel slipped from her hands and she felt the car go flying to the left.  Sitting up she grabbed the stirring wheel and pulled it sending the car flying to the left.  It went up on its side and slowly fell onto the hood as it slid along the hi-way.

 

She shot straight up; her breathing was heavy and panting.  He quickly brushed her hair from her wet, sweating face.  She frantically looked around the pitch black dark room unsure of where she was.  Then she felt something touch her arm, she jumped almost falling out of the bed but what ever had grabbed her arm stopped her from falling.  She was pulled back up and when she looked to see who grabbed her, she saw AJ staring back at her.  Realizing she was dreaming about the crash she felt herself starting to calm.

 

“What happened?” He asked.

 

“Dream about the crash.” She replied.  “I am ok now.”

 

“Do you want a drink?” He asked.  “Water?”

 

“Please” She replied with a light smile.  Her husband returned the smile and kissed her before climbing out of bed.  When he returned he handed her the glass of water, she took it and took a sip from it.  She set the glass down on the table and looked at her husband as he sat beside her.  He really must be going crazy not knowing what was going on inside of her.  Usually she always ended up telling him but now, now it was just too hard.  But would he judge her? Would he laugh at her if she talked?  Of course he wouldn’t, he might even help her, tell her when she’s talking to loud or what have you.  Closing her eyes she took a deep breath and then looked at AJ who had worry in his eyes.

 

“I will tell you how I fell but it still does not mean I want to talk all the time, ok?” She told him through her hands.  He nodded and she could tell by his nod he was already relieved.  Eve wet her lips and thought about what she wanted to say, where would be the best place to start.  Well let’s just start with when she woke up.

           

Chapter 44 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                          Chapter-Forty One

 

           

            AJ sat at the round glass table in the middle of the meeting room, well more like slept.  Something kicked his leg and he jumped from his sleep.  He looked around and saw Brian, Nick, Howie, and his Managers looking back at him.  Taking a deep breath he sat back and stretched a little.

 

“Sorry” He yawned as he tried to wake himself up.

 

“Everything ok with Eve last night?” Nick asked.

 

“Just the normal mood swings but then she had a nightmare about the accident and we spent the rest of the night talking.” AJ told them.

 

“Anything serious?” Howie asked.

 

“She told me she wanted me to hold off on the album and tour and take care of her.” AJ said and was interrupted by Brian.

 

“Are you kidding me?!” Brian shouted as he stood up.

 

“Sit down and let me finish asshole!” AJ shouted back.  “But she knows I can’t do that, she then told me why she feels that way.  Because right now she feels alone, very alone and I gotta say I can’t blame her, none of us know what she’s going through, including you.” He said looking at Brian.  “Now I was going to talk about this with you guys to get your opinion because I’m at a serious cross road but if you’re just going to sit and bitch and say how this is her fault then I’ll make the decision on my own.”

 

“So you seriously want us to talk about delaying everything?” Howie asked.

 

“She needs me Howie, this isn’t something she can get past on her own.” AJ said with almost a plea to his voice.

 

“What about your solo?” Nick asked.

 

“That, that can wait, that’s mine and I’ll make that decision in a heart beat but the group is the four of us.” AJ told him.

 

“I don’t believe this.” Brian scoffed as he crossed his arms in front of him.

 

“Dude, she was in a serious accident, it’s a legit thing for her to ask of him and it’s a legit thing for him to ask of us.” Nick said looking at Brian.

 

“There’s no way she can come on tour?” Matt asked.

 

“No dude, the Doctor said the lack of sleep and traveling is too much for her right now.” AJ told him.

 

“If we don’t do this now AJ…” Brian started to say.

 

“People aren’t even listening to us now, they’re not even listening to our type of music right now…” AJ replied.

 

“But there’s a comeback starting, Britney and now there are rumors about New Kids.” Brian said back.

 

“Pfft like that will happen.” Nick laughed. 

 

“Actually it’s looking like it will.” Matt said.

 

“What?!” The four guys replied.

 

“Yeah and they’re already talking smack about you guys.” Matt replied.

 

“Bet it’s because of Kevin.” Howie sighed.

 

“Kevin!” Nick said sitting up and everyone looked at him confused.  “Let’s ask Kevin to fill in for AJ.”

 

“He won’t do that he left to have a kid and now the kid is here.” Brian said shaking his head.

 

AJ looked at Nick who was already looking at him.  AJ didn’t have to say a word; Nick knew exactly what he was thinking.  They both stood and grabbed their jackets.  When they got to the door Brian yelled at them.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“To talk to Kevin and Kristin.” AJ replied as he walked out of the room.

 

“You think he’d do it?” Nick asked.

 

“I know he would.” AJ replied as they walked down the stairs.  “But Kristin is another story.”

 

The pair made their way down the stairs and out to the parking lot, they agreed to take AJ’s car cause it was closer.  As they opened the car doors to get in they heard someone yelling at them.  They both looked up and saw Howie coming towards them. 

 

“Wait for me.” He huffed as he reached them.  “For a smoker you sure do run fast.”

 

“Where’s Brian?” Nick asked.

 

“Bitching to Matt about what’s going on, we’ll fill him in later.” Howie replied and AJ couldn’t help but smile.  The three of them loaded into AJ’s car and left the record office building.

 

“I can’t get over what an ass Brian’s being.” Howie sighed.  “I mean if we can think of an alternative, what’s the big deal is?”

 

“I dunno” Nick shrugged.  “I’d hate to think he’d act like that if it was Leigh-Anne in this position.”

 

“No he wouldn’t.” AJ said sternly.  “It’s because it Eve, it’s always about Eve with him.  There is more to it than just how we got together, I’m convinced of that now.”

 

“What?” Howie asked.

 

“Hell if I know but when I get Eve past this shit, I’ll find out what and I don’t care if I gotta beat it outta the lil shit.” AJ replied with a tone of anger.

 

“Does Eve know you’re doing this?” Nick asked.

 

“No, she told me she knew she couldn’t really ask that off me and that’s why she’s been sort of fighting with herself.” AJ told them.  “But that just got me thinking of everything else she told me about what’s been going on in her head and I can’t just ignore the fact she needs me right now.”

 

When they pulled into Kevin’s drive way he was glad to see the couple was home and not on some spontaneous trip to Kentucky.  They got out of the car and walked up to the front door, Nick rang the doorbell.  Kristin answered the door and greeted the men with a smile.

 

“He’s out back.” Kristin said as she let them in.

 

“Cool” Nick replied.

 

“Where’s Brian?” She asked.

 

“He’s not here.” AJ said.

 

“Oh well like I said Kevin’s out back.” She replied with a smile.  “How’s Eve doing?”

 

“Ok, it’s kind of why I’m here.” AJ said.

 

“Hey Kris who was at the…” Kevin stopped when he saw the guys as he walked into the hallway.  “Hello” He said a little shocked to see them.  “Everything ok?”

 

“Yeah, we just need to talk to you.” AJ said.  “The both of you.”

 

“Me too?” Kristin said a little surprised.

 

“Yep.” Nick nodded.

 

“Ok well come into the living room.” Kevin told them as he walked in that direction.  Everyone followed him and took a seat somewhere.  “So what’s up?” He asked as he looked right at AJ.

 

“I need to ask the both of you for a huge favor.” AJ said as he looked at Kevin.  He then looked at Kristin.  “I need your husband to replace me on tour.”

 

“What?” Kevin replied stunned.

 

“I need to stay with Eve, I need to help her get through this and help her learn how to deal with her hearing loss, and I can’t do that if I’m on tour.” AJ told them.  “I really don’t wanna have the others cancel because of this, so I brought it up at our meeting this morning and Nick had the idea of asking you.”

 

“Thanks Nick.” Kristin said looking at him. Nick gave his trademark goofy smile but then saw the look on Kristin’s face and it quickly retreated.

 

“What does Brian think?” Kevin asked.

 

“Brian’s pissed that I’m even thinking about it and he’s pissed Eve would even ask me but like I told him, when she told me this she said she knew I couldn’t just drop everything.”  AJ explained.  “But if I can work it so I can be there for her than I have to try. I’m not asking for an answer right away…”

 

“But we’ll need one soon cause final rehearsals start in a week and a half.” Nick spoke up.

 

“Dude” AJ sighed.

 

“Ok, sorry.” Nick replied backing off.

 

“If you don’t want too I’m not going think anything bad or hold it against you, I get why you left and as much as it still sucks for me I respect that.” AJ told Kevin.  “But I’m asking both of you, from the bottom of my heart if you could do this for the both of us, I would be so fucking grateful.”

 

Kevin looked at his wife.  “What do you think?”

 

“What if I have an audition or something?” She asked.

 

“I can babysit, I’ll be home.” AJ told her.

 

“Umm.” Kristin said looking at him.

 

“Don’t look at me like that I’m good with kids.  You have a leash right?” He asked and Kristin rolled her eyes.

 

“Yeah that’s going to convince her.” Kevin sighed.

 

“I’m saying yes.” Kristin replied out of no where.

 

“Really?’ Kevin said looking at her shocked.

 

“Yes, for Evie, cause I know if that had happened to me I would want you with me too.” Kristin said.  “So yes, if you want too and think you can than, I’m ok, JUST this tour though or until you can tour again right?”

 

“Yeah, yeah, if she’s good in a couple of months or can join us on tour in a couple of months than yeah he’s relieved of his duty.” AJ told them.

 

“Than it’s ok with me.” Kristin said looking at Kevin.

 

“So you gonna do this old man? There’s more dancing this time around.” Nick said with a slick smile.

 

“Someone’s gotta keep your ass in line.” Kevin smirked at him.

 

“Oh joy.” Howie sighed.  “I’m going call Matt and let him know.”

 

“I’ll call Brian; I wanna see what he says.” Nick said with a shit disturbing smile.

 

AJ walked up to Kristin. “Thank you.”

 

“No need to thank me, just take care of my friend.” She replied with a light smile.

           

Chapter 45 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                         Chapter-Forty Five

 

           

            AJ unlocked his front door and walked into his house; he unzipped his hooded sweater and tossed it into the closet.  He walked down the hall and poked his head into the living room.  His lips frowned as he saw her lying on the couch staring at the wall on the other side of the room.  Slowly he walked between the couch and the coffee table; she sat up when she saw the movement.  Sitting down beside her he took her hand and kissed her on the temple.  It was kind of his new way of saying hello to her.

 

“I talked to the guys.” He signed.  “We came up with a plan so I can stay with you.” She shook her head no and started to sign something but he took her hands and stopped her.  “Yes, you need me here with you, you’re my wife Evie my first priority is you.”

 

“How?” She asked.

 

“I brought it up to the guys at the meeting and Nick came up with the idea we ask Kevin.” AJ told her.  “Nick, Howie, and I went there and talked to both him and Kris and they both agreed to do this for us.”

 

“What about Brian?” She asked.

 

“Don’t worry about Brian ok?” He signed back, she frowned a little.  “Are you hungry? Want to get something to eat before therapy?” He asked and she shook her head. 

 

“Have you eaten at all today?” He asked her.

 

“Toast” She replied as her first two fingers touched her palm and then the back of her hand.

 

AJ frowned. “You have to have more than just toast.”

 

“Not hungry.” She signed back.  AJ was about to sign something when the door bell rang.  “Door” He signed to her and then stood up.

 

He walked out of the living room and heard Eve following behind him.  AJ walked up to the door and unlocked it as he looked out the peep hole but stopped when he saw Brian standing on the other side.  He looked back and saw Eve behind him.

 

“Who is it?” She signed.

 

“Brian.” He replied back.  Eve sighed and headed back into the living room.  Opening the door a crack AJ poked his head out.

 

“What the hell do you want?”

 

“Can I come in?” Brian asked as he nodded.

 

“No” AJ replied.

 

“I want to talk.” Brian said.

 

“Well I don’t have time, Eve has a therapy session.” AJ snapped back.  “Plus she’s very temperamental right now; she doesn’t need you upsetting her.”

 

“You can’t be seriously thinking about not touring.” Brian said.

 

“It’s already done.” AJ told him.  “I already talked to Kevin and Kristin and they both agreed to it, so Kevin will be touring and I’ll be staying here with my wife.”

 

“So she’s now more important than the group?” Brian scoffed.

 

AJ lost it; he bolted from behind the door, grabbed Brian by the front of the shirt and pushed him up against the wall of his house.  “Is Leigh more important, is Baylee more important!” He shouted.  “What the fuck is wrong with you?!” He yelled at his band mate.

 

“Get the hell off me!” Brian shouted back as he shoved AJ away.  AJ came back swinging and nailed Brian in the face with a right hook.  Brian grabbed his face and shouted in pain as AJ stared at him with intense anger.  Then Brian charged at AJ and speared him and both men went crashing to the ground.  The two men wrestled on the ground trying to get a shot in when they were on top.  They rolled back and forth on the ground, AJ took a couple of jabs at Brian’s side as Brian cursed and shouted at him.  AJ was holding Brian down by the shoulders when someone grabbed him by the arm and pulled him off.  He stumbled back and fell to the ground and when he looked up he saw Eve standing there staring at the two of them.

 

“Stop!” She signed.  “Just stop!”

 

“What did she say?” Brian asked as he puffed sitting on the ground.

 

“She wants us to stop.” AJ replied as he touched his check to see why it was burning.  He looked up at Eve and she was signing again.

 

“What?” Brian asked when Eve’s hands stopped moving.  AJ looked at him annoyed, he grunted and mumbled under his breath as he stood up and looked at Brian.

 

“She wants to know what she did that was so bad.” AJ told him. “And it’s something I want to know too.”

 

“You know why” Brain replied.

 

“What because she was a stripper? Because I had an affair with her and it was barely an affair with the state mine and Sarah’s relationship was in at the time.” AJ said.  “You promised time and time again you’d let it go, you’re going to move past it but as soon as something happens that you don’t agree with, you’re bashing her and putting her down, that’s my wife you’re talking about, would you let me say that shit about Leigh? Because if I was that low of a person I could bring up some of her previous boyfriends.”

 

“Fuck you.” Brian snapped.

 

“See” AJ replied.  “Hurts doesn’t it.”

 

“At least Leigh-Anne never led anyone on, at least Leigh-Anne never cheated on me” Brian said as he looked at Eve.

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” AJ asked.

 

“Ask Eve, ask your precious wife.” Brian said to him.  AJ looked at Eve who was looking at him confused waiting to know what Brian said.  He signed to Eve what Brian had said.  “What is he talking about?” Eve shook her head and shrugged.

 

“Mats” Brian said.  “Maybe Mats was obsessed with her but only because she led him on, she would see him when you were on tour and then when she tried to end it that’s when Mats went nuts.” Brian explained.

 

AJ looked at Eve and signed what Brian had told him, he was having trouble signing because he was having trouble processing what Brian had just said.  She quickly shook her head and signed ‘No’.

 

“She says you’re lying.” AJ told him after Eve had signed it.

 

“I’ve had people tell both Leigh and I about it, they said Mats told them that it was about keeping the customer happy.  You were that customer Alex.” Brian told him as AJ signed to Eve while trying to figure it out in his head as well.

 

“Shut up!” Eve shouted at Brian and it shocked both him and AJ.  “You’re lying! I never did anything with Mats, never!” She screamed at him.  “Why are you doing this? Why?” Eve started to break down and AJ walked over to her.

 

“I think you should go Brian.” AJ told him.

 

“I know what I heard.” Brian said as AJ wrapped Eve in his arms.

 

“Yeah heard.” AJ snapped.  “You have no proof except what people told you.  Now get the fuck out of here and don’t ever talk to me outside of the group, ever!” AJ yelled as he walked Eve inside the house.

 

When they got inside and AJ shut the door he was immediately hounded by Eve.  “I swear Alex I swear he’s lying, nothing happened, nothing I swear.” She said as she started crying harder.  He knew she was upset because she was actually talking to him instead of signing.  Putting his first two fingers on her lips he silenced her and then signed.

 

“I know, I believe you, his source I bet you a hundred dollars was Sarah.” AJ said.  “He thinks you were, are a whore but I know different and I know you would never do that.”

 

She wrapped her arms around him and he returned the hug.  He pulled away and wiped her tears away with his thumb.  “I guess there is no chance on getting you to eat now?” AJ signed and she shook her head.  “Ok but after?”

 

“Ok” She replied with a light nod.  “Your face.” She signed with a frown.

 

AJ walked over to the mirror in the hallway and looked at the cut on his cheek and his fat lip.  “I’m ok.” He signed.  She motioned for him to follow her and they walked into the kitchen.  He sat down at the table as she walked over and grabbed the first aid kit.

 

“Think I need stitches?” He signed jokingly and she shook her head with a light smile.  Eve cleaned up his cuts and then put away the kit.  “I’m going to go shower before we leave.” He told her as he stood up from the chair.

 

Eve sat on a stool in a small beige booth her audio therapist sat behind a glass window on the other side of her.  She would play sounds and noises and she was supposed to listen for them.  They would play the beeps and other weird noises with her hearing aid on and off but of course she heard nothing.  Her therapist gave a thumbs up telling her that they were done and she took the big headphones off her ears and walked out of the booth.

 

“We will do that again tomorrow but we will use a special head piece, it will monitor brain wave activity.” She told Eve as they walked down the hall.  “Go have a seat in my room, we will spend a few minutes on some ASL and I will be right back.” The woman told her and Eve nodded.

 

She walked across the large physical therapy room towards the hall where most of the offices were.  Eve quickly looked to see if Alex was sitting on the other side of the glass wall; he wasn’t so she figured he went for a coffee and a smoke. As she opened the door to her therapist office something caught her eye and she looked down the hallway.  What she saw took her breath away and froze her in one spot.  There right in front of her was a little girl with black hair and blue eyes running down the hall towards her.  Eve started to shake a little as the little girl got closer but then a woman came up behind the girl and scooped her up.  The girl smiled and Eve could tell she was laughing as the lady carried her back down the hall but then something made the woman turn around.  Eve looked behind her and saw her therapist walking down the hall and talking.  She walked right up to the woman and little girl.  Eve watched as the two talked for a minute and then went their separate ways.

 

“Cute isn’t she?” The woman signed to Eve as they walked into the small office.

 

“Yes” Eve nodded but she was still a little spooked as she looked quickly back down the hallway as the little girl disappeared around the corner.

 

“She’s been through so much for a three year old.” The woman signed.

 

“What happened?” Eve asked.

 

“She was traveling with her parents and they were in a car accident, poor thing lost her hearing no chance on getting it back.” Her therapist told her.  “Her Father died in the accident and her Mother died a couple of weeks after due to her injuries.  Her Foster family brings her in for her sessions.”

 

Eve’s heart started to flutter and her hands began to sweat.  “She is in Foster Care?” Eve asked.

 

“Yeah she will be there a while I am sure, most couples do not want the expense of adopting a deaf child or a child with any disability.” The therapist signed and then looked right at Eve.  “Do you think you and your husband would be interested?”

 

“Yes” Eve signed “Yes we would.”

Chapter 46 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                           Chapter-Forty Six

 

AJ walked down the hall towards the meeting room.  It had been a couple of days since he got into the fight with Brian but he was still pissed as hell.  Brian’s only saving grace was that the fight didn’t seem to affect Eve that much not like he thought it would.  In fact she seems to be happier these last couple of days.  Smiling more and interacting more and she even seems more interested in going to her therapy sessions.  As he approached the door he could hear the loud voices on the other end and a small smile crept across his face when he recognized the voice doing the talking.  Slowly he opened the door, careful not to interrupt.

 

“I don’t believe you man!” Kevin shouted as AJ saw him yelling at Brian.  “Where’s your God damn respect bro?”

 

“Respect why should I show her respect?” Brian snapped back.

 

“She’s Alex’s wife that’s why.” Nick piped up. “If I was him and you said that shit about my wife I would have done more than told you to fuck off.”

 

            “Ha” Howie remarked.  “By the looks of him and the way he walked in here AJ did do more than tell him to fuck off.”

 

“You need to stop this Brian your like obsessed with it, anytime you get a chance to knock her down you do.” Kevin told him.

 

“Look Kevin you haven’t been around you don’t know the problems she’s caused.” Matt said and Kevin spun around.

 

“I’ve been around, these guys right here are my brothers and Eve is a very good friend to my wife and I, so don’t tell me what I know and don’t know and where in the hell do you get off saying she’s been nothing but trouble.” Kevin snapped before AJ could jump in.  Now standing with the door wide open for all to see but everyone was to busy staring at Kevin.  “If you guys would get off your damn high horses you would see that Eve is an amazing person, who loves Alex more than anything in this World.”

 

“Were you there when Alex got shot?” He asked Matt.  “No you weren’t so you didn’t see her up all night waiting on word, fending off attacks from Brian and AJ’s Mother, fending off questions and prying eyes from us because we didn’t really know who she was.” Kevin continued. “Were you there when Alex found her? After what Mats and his friend did to her and were you.” He said pointing to their Manager “And were you…” He said again pointing to Brian. “Were you there when those two got married?” Kevin asked.  There was silence. “No you weren’t, you two aren’t apart of that relationship at all so you have no right to judge it.”

 

“Do you really honestly think she loves him?” Brian said as he turned his head to look at his cousin but as he did he saw AJ standing in the door way.  Kevin was about to lose it on his cousin but that’s when he saw AJ too.

 

“And that right there proves you don’t know me anymore, you’re to damn busy hatin’ on Eve to see how much that woman loves me.” AJ said as he walked over to an empty chair.  “And it’s why I have no problems keeping you out of my life except for business reasons, you obviously haven’t been apart of it for the past seven or so years.”

 

“How’s Eve doing?” Howie asked as Kevin sat down.

 

“She’s good.” AJ replied as he looked around the room.  “I think she might be starting to come around a little.”

 

“That’s good.” Howie nodded.

 

“Has she heard anything yet?” Nick asked.

 

“No” AJ replied as he fixed his watch.  “Not really getting my hopes up for that, either way it’ll take time.”

 

“Can we get this over with I have stuff to do.” Brian sighed.

 

“Stuff more important than the group, I’m so disappointed in you.” AJ snapped with a sarcastic scoff.

 

“Shut up.” Brian snapped back.

 

“Make me prick.” AJ replied

 

“Alright enough.” Kevin shouted above them.  “Seriously Brian what will it take to get you to back off.”

 

“I want Eve to admit what she did.” Brian told them.

 

“Well she’s not going too because she didn’t do anything!” AJ said as his voice started getting louder.

 

“And you believe her?” Brian asked.

 

“Yes I do, Kevin’s right Brian you weren’t there in the beginning, you weren’t there in the middle of it and you’re not in it now, so you don’t know how much I love her and how much she loves me and if you knew Eve you would be laughing your ass off right now at the mire thought of it.”

 

“I am.” Nick spoke up.  “On the inside.”

 

“Shut up.” Brian scoffed rolling his eyes.

 

“Who’s the source?” Howie spoke up.

 

“What?” Brian asked.

 

“Who’s your source?” Howie asked again.

 

“Why do I have to give up my source?” Brian snapped.

 

AJ started chuckling and then laughing as he shook his head.  “It really was Sarah wasn’t it?”

 

“Oh Jesus Brian.” Kevin replied spinning in his chair.

 

“You’ve missed out on an amazing part of his life because Sarah told you Eve was cheating with Mats?” Howie asked looking at Brian.

 

“Well what am I suppose to think look what she did for a living, look at what she did with him.” Brian snapped.

 

“Maybe if you had actually paid attention to what was going on, he might not have been telling us much but you could see there was something.” Kevin said to his cousin.  “You could tell he was different because of what was going on, say what you will but more good has come from that relationship than bad.”

 

“Give me one.” Brian mumbled.

 

“AJ’s sobriety.” Kevin snarled through his teeth.  “The fact he’s married and happy and we honestly never thought that would happen, even when he was engaged to Sarah.”

 

“Well as much as I love this trip down memory lane, I need to get this shit signed so I can go get Eve.” AJ said as he sat up in his chair.

 

“Therapy?” Nick asked as Matt started pulling out contracts.

 

“Yeah and apparently I get a surprise too.” AJ replied wiggling his eyebrows and rubbing his hands together.

 

“What?” Nick asked giggling.

 

“I have no idea, it’s a surprise.” AJ replied looking at Nick with a duh look.

 

“Is she there now?” Kevin asked.

 

“Yeah I dropped her off before I came here.” AJ told him.

 

They resigned contracts and worked out what Kevin would need on tour; they went over some last minute details and also started a rough break down on what would be Kevin’s parts.  The meeting didn’t last very long and soon all five were on their way down to their cars Brian following a little bit behind.

 

“So who’s all coming to the Bar B Que at my place on Friday?” Nick asked as they walked out of the building.

 

“We are.” AJ told him.  “I asked Eve about it last night she said she was ok with going if the group was small.”

 

“Yeah man just us and fam.” Nick replied.

 

“We’ll be there too.” Howie said about him and Leigh B.

 

“Are you coming?” Nick asked Kevin.

 

“I’ll talk to Kris but I don’t see why not.” Kevin nodded.

 

“Cool, I’ll need to double up on food then.” Nick joked.  “AH! And you can’t say nothing cause look…” Nick said pulling up his shirt.  “Wait till my fans get a load of these.”

 

“Oh great” Howie moaned rolling his eyes.

 

AJ laughed as he walked over to his car listening to Nick talk excitedly about his new found abs.  He put his key into the door lock and turned, opening the door when it unlocked.  Since it wasn’t rush hour he decided to take the freeway and with ten minutes cut from the trip he made it a little early. 

 

He went into the hospital got a coffee and made his way up to the therapy rooms.  AJ walked into the waiting room and sat down knowing Eve would come out here when she was done.  Giving his coffee a stir a shadow approached him and he looked up.

 

“Done already?” He asked when he saw Eve standing in front of him.  She shook her head as she put down his coffee and motioned for him to stand up.  He looked at her confused but followed.  Eve walked him over to the glass window and as he looked at her confused she signed “Look” and pointed into the large therapy room.

 

AJ followed to where her finger was pointing and when he saw what she wanted him to see, he almost passed out.  His face frowned unsure if what he was seeing in front of him was real or not.  So he looked at his wife, she had a smile on her face he hadn’t seen in a long time.

 

“Her name is Anabelle, she’s three.” Eve signed to him but AJ still looked at her very confused.  “Her Mom and Dad were killed in a car accident; she was with them and lost her hearing.” AJ quickly looked at the little girl again.  He couldn’t believe it she looked like the girl from his dream.  His eyes darted back to Eve and she started signing again.  “That’s her foster Mom.” Eve said of the woman holding her.  “I did not want to say anything until I knew for sure but she is up for adoption and if we are interested we can apply.”

 

He looked at her stunned.  “Are you serious?” He signed.

 

“Yeah” She replied.  “Is that not the girl in your dreams Alex? How can we ignore this?”

 

“Evie are you sure you are up to it?” AJ asked.

 

“It will take a while, I’m sure they will have questions about Mats but ever since I saw her Alex I knew it was something I wanted to do.” Eve signed.

 

“Yeah Evie Mats, you still have someone trying run you off the road.” AJ told her.  “You want to bring her into all that mess?”

 

“So you’re saying no?” Eve signed and AJ could tell she was getting upset.

 

“No, no I’m not saying no but I want to make sure we can give her or any child a safe home and I don’t think we can yet.” AJ explained to her.  “When did you see her?” He asked.

 

“A couple of days ago in therapy, she was running around, Dr. Bliss told me about her.” Eve said and AJ looked back to the little girl.  He then looked at Eve.

 

“Is that why you have been happier the last couple of days?” He asked and she nodded.

 

“I wanted to make sure there was a possibility we could before I told you, I thought you would have been happy.” She signed.

 

“I am.” AJ told her as he sat beside her.  “She is, she is just like the girl in my dreams and that’s why I want to make sure we do this right.”

 

“But why do we have to put our life on hold.” Eve signed.  “You told me a long time ago not to live in fear because of Mats.”

 

AJ sat there thinking about what she had just said.  He turned a little in his chair and looked at the girl again.  It was eerie how much she looked like the girl from his dreams.  All the feelings the dreams had left him came rushing back. What if Eve was right, what if this was a sign, could they really afford to ignore it, and would they ever get a chance again if they did.  He looked at Eve and saw the look in her eyes, there was hope and happiness in them, something he hadn’t seen since the accident.

 

He took a deep breath.  “Let’s go talk to her Foster Mom.”  He signed and then was greeted by two arms wrapping around him almost choking him.  He couldn’t help but smile.

Chapter 47 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                        Chapter-Forty Seven

 

AJ pulled into Nick’s drive way as they arrived for the BBQ he had planned for Family and Friends.  They were already running late because they had a meeting at the Children’s Bureau of Southern California with Anabelle’s Adoption worker.  They went and filled out the first round of paper work, if they pass this then they will be able to set up play dates with Anabelle and her Foster parents so that the little girl would be able to get to know them.  After a couple of months of that if all goes well they can file for Adoption and wait for approval or disapproval.

 

They hadn’t told anyone yet they wanted to wait until they had decided a hundred percent that they wanted to do it.  After they left Eve’s therapy session they went out to dinner and talked about the situation.  It was nice for AJ to see Eve wanting to go out, not worrying about people looking at her because she was signing.  They went home and talked about it more, even deciding they should move, maybe it might detour Mats other friend.  Plus with a new house they could have it totally decked out with the latest technology for Eve and hopefully for Anabelle. 

 

The couple got out of the car and walked up to the front door, AJ rang the door bell and they waited.  Eve tapped AJ on the shoulder and he looked at her.  “Are you sure you want to tell them now? What if Brian’s here and he starts something?”

 

“Kevin will keep him in his place if he is and yes I do, the woman at the Agency said things looked really good and they are going to want to know why we’re going to San Diego every couple of days or so.” AJ signed back to her just then the door opened.

 

“Well it’s about damn time Kevin.” Nick said as he stood in the door way.

 

“Shut up.” AJ huffed as he walked into Nick’s house and Eve followed.  Nick waved hello to her and she waved hello back at him.

 

“So is there a reason you felt the need to arrive late at my party.” Nick said sarcastically as they walked towards the backyard.

 

“Yes there was and I will tell you later.” AJ said as they walked into the back patio area.

 

“I’m here before you, what the hall is up with that Jizzle?” Kevin yelled as AJ looked over at him sitting by the pool.  AJ threw up his arms and shrugged, he looked at Eve to ask her if she wanted something to drink and she had a confused look on her face.

 

“They’re razzing me about being late.” AJ signed, she nodded and lightly laughed.  “Pepsi?” He spelled out and she nodded.  “Kris is over there.” He signed and pointed over by the pool.

 

“I’ll wait for you.” She replied.

 

AJ nodded, he knew why because she still wasn’t that good at reading lips and Kristin didn’t know sign.  He walked her over to the cooler and pulled her out a can of Pepsi and grabbed a Dew for himself, then the couple made their way over to Kevin and Kristin.

 

“Fair warning my Cousin says he may be coming by with Leigh and Baylee.” Kevin said as he climbed out of the pool.

 

“Well he’s usually good if he has the wife and kid.” AJ sighed as he opened his soda.

 

“So how are things going?” Kristin asked.

 

“Good” AJ replied.

 

“How come you were late, traffic on the freeway?” Kevin asked.

 

“Naw, had a meeting to go to.” AJ said.

 

“For Eve?” Kevin asked.

 

“Sort of.” AJ replied and he looked over at Eve beside him who was using a notepad she kept on her to talk to Kristin, he was pretty sure she was thanking her for letting Kevin go on tour.

 

“Dude” He heard Kevin say and he looked at him.  Kevin gave him a what is going on look.

 

“We were at the Children’s Bureau.” AJ told him.

 

“Why?” Kevin asked really confused.

 

“There’s a three year old girl that goes to UCLA for audio therapy with Eve, she lost her hearing in a car accident the same accident killed her mother and father.” AJ told him.

 

“Alex” Kevin said and AJ knew he was catching on.

 

“We’ve talked about it, figured out what we needed to do to make this possible, one thing we’re doing is we’re going to move, and hopefully that will detour any of Mats followers.” AJ explained.  “When we decided it was what we really wanted we called the Children’s Bureau of Southern California, told them that we were interested in her and they set up a meeting and that’s where we were today.”

 

“So what happens now?” Kevin asked.

 

“If the paper work goes through which we’ve been told there’s a very good chance it will, than we can start setting up times when Eve and I can go and see her so she can get to know us.” AJ told him.  “If that goes well we fill out the forms and file for adoption.”

 

“What?!” Kristin said and it startled both Kevin and AJ.  She then looked at Eve.  “Adoption? You’re adopting?”

 

Eve looked at AJ.  “I told Kevin, she over heard.” He signed and she looked back at Kristin and nodded.

 

“Say what?!” Nick squealed from behind AJ and Eve.

 

“What?” Howie said looking at everyone confused.

 

“AJ and Eve are getting a kid.” Nick told him.

 

“Well when you put it that way Nick is sounds so much more exciting.” AJ sighed.

 

“Shut up.” Nick scoffed as him and Howie walked over to them.

 

“And it’s not definite yet.” AJ told him.

 

“Pfft who wouldn’t give you a kid.” Nick replied.

 

“There’s still someone out there trying to hurt Eve Nick.” AJ said as he looked behind him.  “The Adoption Agency might not want her going into house with a possible danger like that.”

 

“Then why try now why not wait?” Kevin asked.

 

“There are certain things that imply we should try now.” AJ told him.  “It’s kind of hard to explain.”

 

Eve tapped on AJ’s shoulder and started to sign.  “Oh, ok.” AJ replied with a nod.

 

“What?” Nick and Kevin asked at the same time.

 

“She says she doesn’t want Brian to know yet, she doesn’t want to deal with it.” AJ said.

 

“Nothing permanent yet I see no reason in telling him.” Kevin shrugged.

 

“Have you told you’re Mom yet?” Howie asked.

 

“No, we’re going to wait and see if the first set of papers go through, then we’ll call her and let her know.” AJ said.

 

“Well I think it’s cool.” Nick said.  “But how come not a newborn?”

 

“She’s special, something about her.” AJ replied.

 

“Hellooooo” Shouted Brian’s little boy inside Nick’s house. 

 

Everyone went quiet as Nick stood up to greet Brian and his family.  AJ looked over at Eve and signed that Brian was here and he saw her face fall.  He took her hand and gave her a loving smile.  She was still pretty hurt from Brian’s attack on her saying she cheated on AJ with Mats.

 

“Well since everyone is here I’m gonna fire up the BBQ.” Nick said as headed towards the house.

 

“So then how do you sign congratulations?” Kristin asked AJ.

 

“Like this.” AJ said and he raised his arms a little, clasped his hands together and gently shook them almost like a hurrah gesture.   Kristin copied and Eve smiled. 

 

She replied with “Thank You.” By placing her fingers on her chin and extended her hand towards Kristin.

 

“She won’t teach me the swear words.” AJ pouted and signed as he talked.  Eve shook her heard and made the letter T with her hand and gently shook it, then touched her mouth.

 

“Bite me woman.” He signed back and she laughed.

 

“What did she say?” Kristin asked.

 

“She said I have a toilet mouth.” AJ replied still looking at Eve.  Kristin started laughing and nodded at Eve in agreement.  “I’m going to go see if Nick needs help.” He signed and stood up.  The girls kept laughing at him as he walked into Nick’s house.  As he approached the kitchen he heard Kevin speaking some what loudly.

 

“Look I have the right to say something, look at what he did to him.” AJ heard Leigh-Anne say.

 

“He’s lucky Alex didn’t do worse after the shit he said about Eve.” Kevin bickered.  “You have your views on her fine, you’re entitled to that but he is extremely protective of her right now so if you make your opinions known you deserve everything you get back.”

 

“I really don’t get what is so special about her.” Brian sighed.

 

“No, no you wouldn’t.” Kevin replied and it made AJ smirk a little.  “Like Alex said in the meeting you haven’t been around, you haven’t even given her a shot.  You just labeled her a whore and moved on.”

 

“She was a stripper Kevin.” Leigh-Anne replied with a tone of disgust.

 

“Yeah well Leigh sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.” Kevin replied.  “And I never heard your husband complain about his distaste for strippers when he would go to the clubs with the fella’s and I while on tour.”

 

“Oh snap good one.” AJ said under his breath.

 

“And I’m giving you two a warning because you’re family, if the both of you don’t back the fuck off and just except that Eve will be here for a long time, the both of you will miss out on something amazing.” Kevin told him before he walked out of the room. 

 

“Alex” Kevin said a little stunned to see him standing there.

 

“Came to see if Nick needed anything but he’s not here.” AJ told him.

 

“Look about…” Kevin started to say but AJ interrupted him.

 

“Couldn’t have said it any better myself.” AJ replied with a smile.  Kevin smiled back. “Well let’s go find Carter before he burns the hell outta the burgers.” He said as he motioned for him and Kevin to head back outside.

Chapter 48 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                        Chapter-Forty Eight

 

           

AJ pulled into his drive way and shut the car off.  He stepped out and popped the trunk with the quick access button on his keychain.  Walking around the back of his car AJ lifted the trunk top higher and reached to pull out the bags of groceries he bought.  With both hands full he closed the trunk and walked up the path to his door.  He set a couple of the bags down to unlock the door and pick them up as he bumped the door with his hip to open it.  When he walked in he was greeted by Eve who was signing a mile a minute.

 

“Whoa, Whoa, Sweetheart slow down.” He signed to her.  She slowed down a little but he was only able to make out a couple of words.

 

“Worker, spoke, couple good?” AJ replied confused.  “Can’t understand.” He signed.  “Still to fast.”  She grunted a little and then signed slower.

 

“Worker called said we’re a good couple…Oh Oh!” AJ said realizing what she was talking about.  “We got approved?” He signed to her and she nodded.  AJ shouted with joy as he hugged Eve and picked her up.

 

AJ put her down and signed.  “When can we see her?”

 

“The worker said the Foster Parents will call tomorrow to set up a time, we talk to them until we decide to apply for adoption.” Eve signed to him.  “I like that phone.”

 

“Does it work ok?” He asked.

 

“Yeah.” She replied.  AJ had gone out on a hunt for a special phone that hearing impaired people had, he wanted the best for her.  It has a keyboard attached so she can type out what she wants to say, then a Microsoft Sam type voice will translate for the caller and it works with other hearing impaired lines and regular residential lines. The phone also translates spoken word to text for her and it came with a special bracelet that she wore so when the phone rang the bracelet would vibrate and alert her it was ringing. 

 

“Should we call your Mom?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ said as he took in a deep breath.  He wasn’t sure how his Mom was going to react.  He wondered if she would get on his case about one of Mats cronies still being out there and bringing a kid in.  It was something he was still nervous about but Eve was right, they couldn’t put their life on hold, otherwise Mats wins, even in death. 

 

“Let’s put these away first.” AJ said as he picked up the bags and Eve helped him.  He walked into the kitchen and set his bags down on the counter.  Opening the first bag he reached in and began pulling out its contents.

 

He found himself getting excited.  The thought that a part of his dreams, the most important part of the dreams were coming true sent a wave of butterflies and tingles through out his body.  Taking a deep breath he tried to calm himself not wanting to get his hopes up, visits were one thing, adoption was another story.  Still his mind wondered as it thought about the possibilities this would bring.  Finally the pieces were coming together and he was getting the family he always wanted.  Granted it wasn’t the normal way but hell when was he ever normal.

 

Two arms wrapped around from behind him and it broke him from his thoughts.  He smiled when he felt Eve’s head lay against his back and he put down the can and turned around.  Looking down in her eyes as she smiled at him he felt a calm drift over him.  She leaned up and kissed him.  Her hands slid around his back and up his chest, finally rest gently on the sides of his neck.  Slowly they pulled away and she signed “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” He signed back and then pulled her against him in a hug.  It was good to see her happy again, it was good to see her starting to move on and realizing her life wasn’t over, it just took an unexpected turn.  He knew there were still rough days ahead, more ups and downs but this was a start.

 

When the last product was put away AJ turned to Eve.  “I’m going to my office to look for houses and call Ma.”

 

She smiled.  “I’ll join you after I clean up.”

 

He gave her a quick kiss and then left the kitchen.  AJ walked down the hall and into his office.  Sitting down at his desk he gave his mouse a shake to turn the monitor on.  He pulled up the browser and searched his bookmarks too see if he still had the addresses of the realtor he used to buy this house.  Finding the link he clicked on it and the page loaded immediately. 

 

“Hmm, what area?” He thought. “Something private, something gated, but something close to the studio’s.” Typing in what he was looking for a little more specific it brought up some new addresses. 

 

As he looked through the list he heard a bang of something solid hitting the kitchen floor and then a shout.  Quickly he got up from his desk and took off towards the kitchen.  When he hit the hallway he almost slammed into Eve.

 

“Someone’s out back, someone’s out back.” She spoke in a frantic tone.  AJ ran past her but she grabbed his arm and he spun around almost tripping up and falling.  “No” She spoke shaking her head.

 

“Call the police.” He said to her as he took her hand off.  “I’ll be ok.”

 

AJ ran into the kitchen much to Eve’s protest as she stood in the hallway.  Opening the backdoor he stopped when he reached the outside and looked around.  He decided to try the side of the house where the gate was, when he reached it he saw it swinging open.

 

“Mother Fucker.” He said under his breath as he turned around to go back into the house.  Someone wrapped their arms around him and then covered his mouth with a cloth.  He fought against the person but as he breathed in, the fumes from the cloth rushed into his nostrils and it stunk.  Flashbacks of the night the guys Mats hired to take Eve came crashing in flooding his head.  AJ turned as much as he could and gave who ever it was holding him a shove and the person stumbled back.  They tripped over their own feet and fell into his pool.

 

Turning around he looked as the person struggled to stay a float.  He couldn’t tell who they were because they were wearing a mask but as he looked at the clothing a strange look fell over his face.  The body of the person had shape, had breasts, and hips, it was the body of a woman.  Suddenly his mind went into overdrive as the pieces fell into place like a Tetris game.  The phone calls to Brian and Leigh-Anne, how Thomas knew where to look for them in Florida, Mats informer from the outside, his ride to Kentucky.

 

“Sarah” AJ growled through his teeth, the anger raged through his body as he watched the woman climb out of the pool and his thoughts stopped when they reached the next realization.  The person following Eve, the one who ran her off the road, the reason she almost died and the reason she can no longer hear.

 

“It was you.” AJ snarled with extreme anger.  He ran around the pool edge and grabbed the woman.  Grabbing her mask he ripped it off and saw Sarah looking back at him.  “It was you!!” He screamed at her and shoved her to the ground.

 

“You were in on it all along weren’t you!?” He screamed at her.  “The phone calls to Brian because you knew how he would react to her, how Thomas knew which places we’d be in Florida because you knew where I hung out, you would tell Mats what I was up too and he had his lackeys watching Eve, you drove him to Kevin’s place, oh my god and I can’t believe I didn’t fucking see this before.” AJ said as he started to lose it as the noise of sirens could be heard in the distance.

 

Sarah jumped up and tried to run but he stopped her, grabbing her by the arms and she screamed in fright.  “You drove her off the road almost killing her and then you show up at the hospital!?” He screamed, tears streaming down his face as the sirens began to get closer.  “You are the reason she will never, ever hear me say how much I love her again! You are the reason for it all and what fucking for? Because you couldn’t handle the fact Eve is more of woman than you’d ever be!” He shouted as he shook her.  Sarah was now crying and pleading with AJ to let her go.

 

He stared at her with pure anger, he wanted to hit her, he wanted to throw her back into the pool and hold her under until she stopped moving but then he heard Eve say his name and he turned around.  AJ was about to tell her to get inside when Sarah took that moment of distraction and took off escaping his grasp.  AJ quickly took off after her as she headed through the open gate; he ran as fast as he could, pushing his legs as fast as he could to catch up with her.  When he reached his drive way they both stopped dead in their tracks as the Police flew up to the house and stopped dead in a block aid position.

 

“It’s over Sarah.” AJ shouted to her as the cops yelled at her to get down.  He watched as she got down on the ground as Detective Ozwith came running up.

 

“Mr. Mclean are you ok?” She asked him as she watched two officers handcuff Sarah.

 

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine.” He said staring at Sarah.

 

“Is Eve ok?” She asked.

 

“Yeah.” AJ nodded just then he felt someone touch his arm and he looked beside him and saw Eve looking at him.

 

She spelt out the letters S-a-r-a-h and he nodded.  Eve wrapped her arms around him and pulled herself into a hug.  AJ did his best to comfort her but he was still fuming.  All these years there was always a little guilt for what he had done, for not being honest with Sarah from the beginning, that they were both being punished somehow by all the bad things that happened but now he learned she was the reason for everything.

 

AJ turned around when he heard Sarah let out a scream and he was shocked to see she had broken free from the cops, although still handcuffed she ran right at AJ and Eve.

 

“You’re a whore; you’re a home wreaking whore!!” She yelled.  He stood in front of his wife making sure she was safe but before Sarah hit the drive way she was tasered and dropped to the ground with a thud. “I hate you! I hate you!” Sarah cried as the Police surrounded her.

 

He looked at Eve as she stepped beside him again.  “What did she say?” She signed.

 

“Don’t worry about it she’s just talking.” AJ signed back.

 

“Alex.” She signed.  AJ took a deep breath and then signed to her what Sarah had said.

 

Eve rolled her eyes and signed back.  “She sounds like Brian.”  AJ couldn’t help but crack a little smile and pulled her back into his arms.

 

“AJ, Eve?” The Detective said behind them and AJ turned around.  “Can I get your statements now?” She asked.

 

“Sure want to go inside?” AJ asked.

 

“Great.” Detective Ozwith said as AJ signed to Eve that she wanted statements.  When they were inside the house AJ turned around to close the door, he looked at the cruiser with Sarah in the back as it started to pull away.  He watched as it rolled down the street and gone from his sight.  Gone, Sarah was gone, Mats was gone, and Thomas was gone they were all gone.  As he shut the door a small smile broke from his lips.  It was finally over.

Chapter 49 by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                       Epilogue

 

           

            AJ and Eve were on their way to Howie’s place.  It had been a couple of weeks since they had busted Sarah at the house.  She wasn’t released on bond and is now waiting for her arraignment.  AJ looked over at his wife and he smiled.  The last couple of weeks he had seen an amazing change in her.  Maybe it was because they caught Sarah and Eve knew this was all behind her now and she could move on.  AJ then looked in his review mirror.  Or perhaps it was the little girl sitting in the car seat behind him.  Maybe even a combo of both, he wasn’t sure, he was just glad things were getting better.

 

            He pulled into Howie’s driveway and shut the car off; he looked over at Eve and signed.  “Want me to get the bags and you grab her?” He signed and she nodded.

 

            This was the first time they had shared her with anyone, each time before they would drive down to San Diego and do something special with her down there.  With Sarah being arrested it kind of brought back the Paparazzi frenzy and right now they wanted to keep things private.  But today was a special day, the guys were having a big party with Family before they headed out on the road. Well more like the air since they were all flying to Japan the next day.

 

            AJ tested the door and found it was unlocked; he walked into the house and set down Anabelle’s bag.  He looked back and saw his wife putting the little girl down and taking her hand.  “Hello?!” He shouted into the house and a few seconds later someone shouted back.  AJ motioned for Eve to follow him and the couple headed towards the back patio.

 

“Jizzle!” Nick shouted with his arms raised.

 

“Hey man.” Howie said with a smile as he greeted AJ.

 

“Hope you don’t mind we brought a guest.” AJ told him and Howie looked at him confused.  Just then Eve walked out with Anabelle and everyone stared at the little girl.

 

“She’s so cute Alex.” Leigh B squealed a little as she walked over to Eve and Anabelle.  AJ watched as Eve walked Anabelle over to Kristin who was squealing just as much as Leigh B was.

 

“So” Kevin said as he walked up beside AJ.  “That’s Anabelle.”

 

“Yep” AJ nodded.

 

“Black hair and blue eyes.” Kevin noted and AJ looked up at him.

 

“Yep.” He replied with a smile.  Kevin returned the smile as he patted AJ on the back and walked with him over to the ladies.

 

“Who wants to go swimming?” AJ signed as he knelt in front of Anabelle.  The little girl smiled and signed. “Me” and then clapped her hands.  Eve and AJ laughed as he picked her up and walked into Howie’s house.  Grabbing her bag AJ walked into an empty room, set her down on the bed and quickly changed into his swim trunks.

 

As he fixed the straps to Anabelle’s bathing suit there was a knock on the door and AJ quickly turned around but he quickly looked back when he saw who it was.  “What do you want?” He asked.

 

“I wanted to tell you Leigh and I talked to Detective Ozwith we told her everything Sarah had told us in the phone calls.” Brian said.

 

“That’s nice.” AJ replied as he picked up Anabelle.  AJ walked past Brian and out of the room.

 

“Look man.” Brian said grabbing AJ’s arm and AJ turned around looking at Brian’s hand and then at the man himself.  “I’m sorry ok, I was lied too.”

 

“Not that simple Rok, yes you were lied to but you believed those lies, you had the choice to believe someone you knew for ten years or someone you knew for a couple of years, you chose the ladder and now must deal with the consequences.” AJ told him.  “Not to mention all the times you continued to degrade her, you hurt her and there for you hurt me too.”

 

“Now if you don’t mind this little one would like to go swimming.” AJ said and then walked down the hallway.  He knew Brian probably hated himself right now and he knew Brian was truly sorry but it wasn’t something he could just forgive and forget.  Someday he knew he would forgive Brian for his part whether intentional or not in what happened with Sarah and Mats but he didn’t think he would be able to forget just how mean Brian had become towards Eve.

 

Either way his life was starting to fall into place, instead of falling apart.  He was married to an amazing woman who loved him no matter what he did, now it looked like they were going to start a family of their own and as he looked at the little girl in his arms AJ knew his life was finally going down the right road.

 

 

           

Epilogue by VeeLynn
An Illicit Gentleman II

                    An Illicit Gentleman II

                                                       Epilogue

 

           

            AJ and Eve were on their way to Howie’s place.  It had been a couple of weeks since they had busted Sarah at the house.  She wasn’t released on bond and is now waiting for her arraignment in jail; since there was a fear she would try and go after Eve.  AJ looked over at his wife and he smiled.  The last couple of weeks he had seen an amazing change in her.  Maybe it was because they caught Sarah and Eve knew this was all behind her now and she could move on.  AJ then looked in his review mirror.  Or perhaps it was the little girl sitting in the car seat behind him.  Maybe even a combo of both, he wasn’t sure, he was just glad things were getting better.

 

            He pulled into Howie’s driveway and shut the car off; he looked over at Eve and signed.  “Want me to get the bags and you grab her?” He signed and she nodded.

 

            This was the first time they had shared her with anyone, each time before they would drive down to San Diego and do something special with her down there.  With Sarah being arrested it kind of brought back the Paparazzi frenzy and right now they wanted to keep things private.  But today was a special day; the guys were having a big party with Family before they headed out on the road. Well more like the air since they were all flying to Japan the next day.

 

            AJ tested the door and found it was unlocked; he walked into the house and set down Anabelle’s bag.  He looked back and saw his wife putting the little girl down and taking her hand.  “Hello?!” He shouted into the house and a few seconds later someone shouted back.  AJ motioned for Eve to follow him and the couple headed towards the back patio.

 

“Jizzle!” Nick shouted with his arms raised.

 

“Hey man.” Howie said with a smile as he greeted AJ.

 

“Hope you don’t mind we brought a guest.” AJ told him and Howie looked at him confused.  Just then Eve walked out with Anabelle and everyone stared at the little girl.

 

“She’s so cute Alex.” Leigh B squealed a little as she walked over to Eve and Anabelle.  AJ watched as Eve walked Anabelle over to Kristin who was squealing just as much as Leigh B was.

 

“So” Kevin said as he walked up beside AJ.  “That’s Anabelle.”

 

“Yep” AJ nodded.

 

“Black hair and blue eyes.” Kevin noted and AJ looked up at him.

 

“Yep.” He replied with a smile.  Kevin returned the smile as he patted AJ on the back and walked with him over to the ladies.

 

“Who wants to go swimming?” AJ signed as he knelt in front of Anabelle.  The little girl smiled and signed. “Me” and then clapped her hands.  Eve and AJ laughed as he picked her up and walked into Howie’s house.  Grabbing her bag AJ walked into an empty room, set her down on the bed and quickly changed into his swim trunks.

 

As he fixed the straps to Anabelle’s bathing suit there was a knock on the door and AJ quickly turned around but he quickly looked back when he saw who it was.  “What do you want?” He asked.

 

“I wanted to tell you Leigh and I talked to Detective Ozwith we told her everything Sarah had told us in the phone calls.” Brian said.

 

“That’s nice.” AJ replied as he picked up Anabelle.  AJ walked past Brian and out of the room.

 

“Look man.” Brian said grabbing AJ’s arm and he turned around looking at Brian’s hand and then at the man himself.  “I’m sorry ok, I was lied too.”

 

“Not that simple Rok, yes you were lied to but you believed those lies, you had the choice to believe someone you knew for ten years or someone you knew for a couple of years, you chose the ladder and now must deal with the consequences.” AJ told him.  “Not to mention all the times you continued to degrade her, you hurt her and there for you hurt me too.”

 

“Now if you don’t mind this little one would like to go swimming.” AJ said and then walked down the hallway.  He knew Brian probably hated himself right now and he knew Brian was truly sorry but it wasn’t something he could just forgive and forget.  Someday he knew he would forgive Brian for his part whether intentional or not in what happened with Sarah and Mats but he didn’t think he would be able to forget just how mean Brian had become towards Eve.

 

Either way his life was starting to fall into place, instead of falling apart.  He was married to an amazing woman who loved him no matter what he did, now it looked like they were going to start a family of their own and as he looked at the little girl in his arms AJ knew his life was finally going down the right road.

 

 

           

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10757