The Guardian Crusade III by VeeLynn
Summary: I walk under the Great Tree the oldest of all the trees in the forest. They all longed to return here one day, longed to have the critters of this world live with them, and they’ve longed to sway in the winds of this land again. I have returned them to their home and protect them from the humanoids who wish to harm them. Now they tell me people are walking through the forest, they follow the river and there are many of them but they also tell me some of them are not of this world.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group, Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: Death, Domestic Violence, Graphic Sexual Content, Graphic Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 42 Completed: Yes Word count: 111508 Read: 55003 Published: 04/15/12 Updated: 04/15/12

1. Prologue by VeeLynn

2. Chapter 1 by VeeLynn

3. Chapter 2 by VeeLynn

4. Chapter 3 by VeeLynn

5. Chapter 4 by VeeLynn

6. Chapter 5 by VeeLynn

7. Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

8. Chapter 7 by VeeLynn

9. Chapter 8 by VeeLynn

10. Chapter 9 by VeeLynn

11. Chapter 10 by VeeLynn

12. Chapter 11 by VeeLynn

13. Chapter 12 by VeeLynn

14. Chapter 13 by VeeLynn

15. Chapter 14 by VeeLynn

16. Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

17. Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

18. Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

19. Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

20. Chapter 19 by VeeLynn

21. Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

22. Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

23. Chapter 22 by VeeLynn

24. Chapter 23 by VeeLynn

25. Chapter 24 by VeeLynn

26. Chapter 25 by VeeLynn

27. Chapter 26 by VeeLynn

28. Chapter 27 by VeeLynn

29. Chapter 28 by VeeLynn

30. Chapter 29 by VeeLynn

31. Chapter 30 by VeeLynn

32. Chapter 31 by VeeLynn

33. Chapter 32 by VeeLynn

34. Chapter 33 by VeeLynn

35. Chapter 34 by VeeLynn

36. Chapter 35 by VeeLynn

37. Chapter 36 by VeeLynn

38. Chapter 37 by VeeLynn

39. Chapter 38 by VeeLynn

40. Chapter 39 by VeeLynn

41. Chapter 40 by VeeLynn

42. Epilogue by VeeLynn

Prologue by VeeLynn

                            The Guardian Crusade

                                               Volume III

 

                                                                        Prologue

 

I walk under the Great Tree the oldest of all the trees in the forest.  They all longed to return here one day, longed to have the critters of this world live with them, and they’ve longed to sway in the winds of this land again.  I have returned them to their home and protect them from the humanoids who wish to harm them.  Now they tell me people are walking through the forest, they follow the river and there are many of them but they also tell me some of them are not of this world. 

 

Wait something is not right, yes, great mother is coming and now she’s talking to those humanoids.”

 

“Rayne!!”

 

Who is that? To close he is coming to close I will not let him see me. I return to the safety of my home in the branches the Great Tree.

 

“Rayne it’s me, it’s Alex Rayne.”

 

Again he calls me by a humanoid name and why does he act like I know him.  Although I must admit he is a lovely Elvaan much better looking than the humans or dwarfs and Elvaans always did treat us well.  Maybe I should go back down. Wait the human woman is taking him away.  For the best, the sooner they leave the sooner the trees will be at peace again.

 

“And now I will protect you.”

 

Protect me? I do not need protecting.  Why would this Elvaan want to protect me? And where did great mother go?

 

“I am right here my child.” She said from behind me.

 

“Who were those humanoids, why did the Elvaan act like he did?”

 

“Times have changed my child; it has been a long time since this land has seen or even heard of a Dryad.” Great Mother said as I climbed down from my branch.  “Evil lived here for hundreds of years and it almost ended this world.”

 

“But the Druids.”

 

“The Druids forgot my child, along with every other humanoid on the world.” She told me.

 

“Forgot how do you forget?”

 

“They were put under a spell, now the spell is broken but pieces are scattered.” Great Mother said as she walked with me. “My Guardians are strong and loyal but I am afraid I may have jeopardized that.” She sighed.  “And I worry now that the door has been closed again it’s only a matter of time before they try once more to open it, someone will try and open it.”

 

“You mean the demons?”

 

            “Yes” She nodded at me. “Demons or Dwarfs.”

 

“But I am here now.”

 

“I still worry you will not be enough, this world has changed, evil has found it’s way here who knows what or who has been infected and there is much unfinished business regarding the Dwarfs.” She told me.  We stopped at the waterfall pond.

 

“So what do you want of me great mother?”

 

“The Elvaan that called to you, he is one of my Guardians.” Great Mother told me.  “And you use to be as well.”

 

“Me?”

 

“Yes your name was Rayne and you were a Human Druid.” She said as she looked at me.

 

“Human?”

 

“I need both of you.” Great Mother told me.

 

“Both, I do not understand.”

 

“I need you to protect the door and protect the land here but I need Rayne to protect the people and to restore my loyalty in Alexander.”  She explained.

 

“Alexander…Alex, that Elvaan.”

 

“Rayne and he were married, they loved each other very much and when she gave her life to restore life to this land, Alexander slipped away from me but not just me he’s slipping away from everyone, just like Ignis did.” Great Mother told me and I could hear sadness in her voice.  “Every day his link becomes weaker and weaker and I have never had a Guardian…well to use a human word condemn me, he is very angry with me.”

 

“But she chose to give her life otherwise it would not have worked.”

 

“Yes, yes she did and I’m sure one day he will realize this but he and the others have sacrificed their lives to save me, I see no harm in rewarding them, especially Alexander.” She told me.

 

“So what do you plan to do?”

 

“Come, I will show you.” She said as she walked me back over to my tree.

Chapter 1 by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

 

                                                              Chapter One

 

            AJ sat at the large round table in the Kalica Castle.  Avit dragged him here because his General said he needed to be there to discuss what to do about Rossi and the Dwarves.  The people were angry Rossi did not lend a hand and just as AJ blamed Pixca for the death of Rayne her people and those who loved her turn their blame onto the Dwarf King. 

 

He sat in his chair looking down at the silver band around his finger, metal leaves and vines wrapping their way around his ring finger, the words Solidarity and Unity etched across the front. His thumb strummed across it as everyone else talked around him.  Then someone nudged him and he quickly looked up.  They were all staring at him, Avit, Nalia, Evia, Bussa, Nick, Kevin, Brian, Howie, the girls.

 

“What?” He asked looking around.

 

“You weren’t paying attention at all were you?” Nick asked.

 

AJ took a deep breath.  “Nope sorry,” He sighed as he adjusted in his seat.

 

“It’s only been a week, cut him some slack man.” Kevin spoke up.

 

“But this is important.” Nick said as he looked at Kevin.  “He’s King of two countries now.”

 

“Yeah, Thanks to you and your precious Pixca, douche bag.” AJ mumbled but it echoed around the room.

 

“Alex” Avit and Kevin sighed at the same time.

 

“She chose to do what she did.” Nick told him as calmly as he could.

 

“Yeah, she really had a choice in the matter.” AJ replied just as calmly turning the emotion of the room into the unknown.  “Are we done here?”

 

“No” Nick said a little loudly.

 

“Go Alex, I will fill you in.” Avit told him as he nodded to the door.  AJ got up and left the room letting the door slam on the way out.

 

“You’re like his freakin parent.” Nick sighed. “He needs to seriously get with it.” Nick said pointing at Avit.

 

“No, Prince Nickolas I think you do.” Avit spoke up and everyone in the room stared at him in shock.  “I would hope for the sake of Lady Nalia you would react the same way had something happen to her.  I understand you are upset with Rossi, we all are, but I do think what your friend is going through deserves a little more respect.”  Nick said nothing as he sat back in his chair staring at the table.

 

AJ walked down through the front foyer and headed up the tall staircase to the second floor of the Kalica Castle.  When he got to the top of the stairs he heard the Castle door fly open and he turned around.  A guard came flying into the building and started asking the people if he was here.  They pointed him to the stairs and he saw AJ right away.

 

“King Alexander you need to come with me.” The Man said in a rushed tone.

 

“Why?” AJ asked still standing at the top of the stairs.

 

The man looked around the room, everyone staring at him.  “I can not say here.”

 

AJ sighed and walked back down the stairs and followed the guard outside.  They walked straight through the city and outside the town walls.  He was getting confused on what exactly the man wanted him for but before he could ask the man spoke up.

 

“I didn’t want to say anything in front of the people.” The guard told him.

 

“Where are you taking me?” AJ asked the man as he stopped walking.

 

“We were out on patrol and we saw…” He stopped.  “Well you should see for yourself Sir.” The man said pointing down the dirt road to group of soldiers.  AJ followed the road a couple of more yards and then stopped dead in his tracks when the other guards moved out of his way.

 

“We found her walking the road; we weren’t sure if it was a trick or not, when we approached her she collapsed.  We thought it best to get you first, the Priest with us said she is just exhausted.”

 

AJ slowly walked up to them and knelt down beside the woman lying on a blanket on the ground.  His hand shook as he reached for her, his fingers lightly touching her hand, making sure she was real.  They stopped at the two rings on her finger still locked in place.  He took her hand and when he felt her skin against his it took everything he had not to break down right there.

 

“Go get a carriage it’ll get her through the City without to many people seeing her, I’ll stay here.” AJ told them quickly, all the men nodded and then he looked at the Priest.  “I need you to go to Winnol to the Healing Springs and tell them to get a room ready, tell them as little as you possibly can.”

 

“Yes you’re Majesty.” The man said standing and then bowed as he left.  He knew he could have teleported with her but he didn’t know what was wrong with her or how this was even possible and he just didn’t want to take the chance.

 

When the men were gone out of his view he looked back down at her, she looked peaceful, beautiful, and not like she just crawled out from under boulders and rocks.  His fingers drifted down her face there was not a scratch on her, just some dirt and he wondered if she actually walked here from Ashmourn.  Her hair was back to normal, the blue strips gone, and he looked at the robe she wore that day, not a rip or a loose thread, just dirt around the bottom.  With no one to impress, he broke out into tears.  He lightly touched her dress, her hair, her arms, her shoulders, making sure everything was real and it wasn’t some dream.

 

“Rayne?” He whispered still in disbelief.

 

He had composed himself by the time the guards had returned and he picked her up carefully and carried her into the carriage. Laying her down on the bench AJ sat on the floor of the carriage, his hand holding hers as he just stared at her.  When they arrived at the front steps of the Castle the door opened and he picked her up and carried into the building.  He ran past everyone and up the stairs, he turned left and ran down the hall as fast as he could to the Winnol globe room. 

 

He crossed over with her in his arms and relieved to see the door was open.  AJ ran down the stairs and the guards quickly opened the door for him and even he could see the looks on their faces as they stared at the woman in his arms.  When he arrived at the Healing Springs the Priest came to him right away and then stopped dead when they saw who he was carrying.

 

“What room?” AJ asked as the men stared back at him.  “What room!!” AJ shouted at them.  They quickly pointed to the room across from them and AJ marched in and delicately slipped her into the stone tub of water.  He dunked her under and then pulled her up resting her head on the head rest.  AJ pulled his arms out of the water and rested them on the ledge; he stared at her as he sat down on the ground, his eyes not breaking from her.

 

“Come out,” He said his eyes still not breaking from her.  “I know you’re here watching, show yourself.”  When he heard footsteps on the stone floor he looked up and saw Pixca on the other side of the tub.  AJ stood up his eyes showed nothing but anger.

 

“This some kind of sick joke?” He asked pointing to Rayne.

 

“No” She told him shaking her head.  “No it is gratitude.”

 

“Gratitude?” AJ asked.  “So you just bring her back just like that because you want to say Thank you? What about other people who have lost loved ones? The ones who sacrificed for your mistakes.”

 

“She is needed as much as her other form is needed.” Pixca told him.

 

“Other form?” AJ said confused.  “You mean the Dryad.”

 

“Yes” Pixca nodded.  “She is both.”

 

“Both?”

 

“This is a new world it is not the one the Dryads use to guard, Evil has seeped its way into the people and into the creatures, and I need someone who can protect both.” She told him

 

“Ah, you need her.” AJ nodded with a sarcastic laugh.

 

“And you needed her as well.  I did not realize how linked you two were, the bond between you two was very strong, and when she died, it died too and slowly it started taking you.” She explained.  “You said you would protect her did you not?”

 

AJ looked at her and realized she had heard him that day.  “Yes”

 

“And you very well can not do it if she needs to stay around the tree now can you.” She said with a light smile.

 

“No” He replied looking back at her.

 

“Maybe not in the old world but this new one, now that the door is closed again, she will need someone, more than one to watch over her, and that will be the new order of my Guardians, their new place.” Pixca told him.  “She is no longer just a Dryad, she is a gate keeper, the Keeper of Hope, for as long as the door stays closed Alexander there is always hope but let Evil in and hope will become lost.”

 

“She remembers everything and when she wakes she will know why she’s here again.” She told him.  “The less people who know who she really is the better.”

 

“I guess she could have gotten out.” AJ said as he looked at her.

 

“I must go now” She said with a small nod.

 

AJ looked at Rayne.  “Thank…” He stopped when he looked back and she wasn’t there. “You” He sighed as he stared at the empty space in front of him.

 

“Where…” He heard Rayne whisper behind him and he spun around.  She slowly sat up in the water as he walked over to the tub. “Where am I?” She asked.

 

“You’re at the Springs.” AJ said as she looked around.

 

Rayne looked down at her hands in the water slowly pulling them out and watching the water drip from them.  “The Springs.” She spoke quietly.

 

“Yes beautiful, in Winnol.” He said as she looked at him.  Just then he heard a commotion out side and knew the news had hit the meeting room in Kalica.  “I’ll be right back, just stay in there a little more ok?”

 

“Ok” She nodded lightly.

 

AJ got up and walked over to the door where he saw the Priests getting bombarded by questions.  He walked through the doorway and Avit was the first to see him as he stopped at the opening. 

 

“Sir is it true?” He asked as everyone began to see AJ standing there.

 

“Alex?” Nalia said as she stepped up to him.  “The people said they saw you bring her here.”

 

“Before I left Kalica a guard came and got me, took me to the forest outside of the city, they saw her walking down the path and then she collapsed from exhaustion.” AJ told them.  “I sent them back for a carriage and got her through the city and brought her right here.”

 

“I want to see her.” Nalia said as she started to head to the door.

 

“Not yet.” AJ told her, gently grabbing her arm and she looked at him stunned. “She’s still a little foggy on what happened, she will remember she just needs a little time, and I need a little time.” AJ said as Nalia took a step back. “With her.”

 

“Alright.” Nalia nodded with a light smile. “I will go and get Halian.”

 

“If you want to wait around I don’t care but I’ll fill you all in on what’s going on when I get her back to the Castle.” He told them.  Everyone nodded at him and he turned around walking back into the room.  When he entered he saw her sitting on the edge her feet dangling in the water and her eyes looking down watching them.

 

“Rayne?” AJ said as he walked up to her.  She looked up at him, her eyes drifted down his arm to his hand and she reached up at took it.  Slowly he sat down beside her, facing her with his legs crossed. Her eyes did not break from their hands as she watched their fingers tangle together.  He watched as her eyes closed and she leaned against him, her head resting on his chest, and she held his hand tightly against her.  AJ wrapped his arm around her holding her head against his chest as his head rested on top of hers.  He closed his eyes and sighed, this was defiantly real.

           

Chapter 2 by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

 

                                                              Chapter Two

 

“Alright man we’re all here so what’s going on?” Kevin asked as AJ stood at his desk.  Everyone was scattered around the room, Kevin and Brian sitting on the two chairs in front of him. Kristin sitting on the arm of the couch that sat against the wall.  Leigh A and Leigh B both sat on the couch beside her. Howie sat in a chair across from them and Nick and Nalia sat around his desk.

 

“Pixca” AJ said looking at them.  “Pixca brought her back because she believes with the way the world is now the Dryad needs protecting.”

 

“So is it really her?” Nalia asked.

 

“Yeah it’s her.” AJ said thinking back to Springs.  “She remembers everything, what happened in Ashmourn, being a Dryad, and why she was brought back.”

 

“Why would she need protecting?” Howie asked.

 

“From people, from the Dwarves from the Humans, even from the Elvaans, we just don’t know who could turn next maybe no one will.” He told them.

 

“So are you her protector now?” Nick replied quietly.

 

“We all are.” AJ told him.  “Pixca said it’s the new order, the new duty of the Guardians.”

 

“What about the people?” Nick asked as he looked up.  “Who will protect them?”

 

“She will.” AJ told him noticing the snarky demeanor in him.  “And we will help, nothing changes.”

 

“We’re baby sitters now?” Nick asked looking at him.

 

“Where is she?” Nalia asked ignoring Nick and changing the subject.

 

“Upstairs in our room with Avit and her Mom.” AJ told her.  “We keep what really happened between us, as far as the people and everyone else is concerned she got out, the less that know who she really is the better.”

 

“Why?” Brian asked.

 

“The door she closed leads to another world, the demon world is what Pixca calls it, if it opens then the Ashmourn we know returns and the next time they’re probably going to be a little pissed.” He replied.  “Plus, we locked them out but who’s to say we didn’t lock some of them in.”

 

“In hiding?” Kevin asked.

 

“Who knows, so we have to keep it quiet.”

 

“So then are we done here?” Nick asked looking at AJ.  Normally he would have teleported over to him and knock him right out of the chair but not today.

 

“Yeah we’re done here.” AJ said calmly to him.

 

“We need to get back to Kalica.” Nick said to Nalia as everyone started to leave.

 

“Ok, I will go see Rayne and then we will go.” She told him.

 

“Whatever, I’ll be in Kalica.” Nick sighed as he headed out of the door.

 

“Nick…Nick” Nalia said as AJ watched her chase him out of the room.

 

“Are you coming?” Kevin asked AJ as he stood at his desk.

 

“I’ll be up in a little bit.  Need to read the report Avit left for me.”

 

“Ok, I better go see if I can talk to Nick.” Kevin said as he lightly tapped on the top of the desk and then left the room.

 

Not being able to focus on what Avit had written AJ stood up and headed over to the large balcony doors in his office.  He unlocked them and pushed them open, the sound of the water fall flowed through out the room.  Letting go of them he walked out onto the balcony and rested his hands on the railing, leaning against it.  He stood there staring at the falls as his mind tried to play catch up.  This morning she was dead now she’s upstairs back in their bed. Taking a deep breath he closed his eyes and exhaled, bringing his mind into focus.

 

“Alex?” A voice said from behind him and he turned around quickly.

 

“Rayne, what are you doing here?” He asked as he walked back into his office.

 

“I wanted to see you.” She told him.

 

“Well you could have sent someone darlin’ you need your rest.” He told her as he walked over too her.  AJ took her by the waist and headed towards the door to his office.

 

“I am fine.” She replied as she stopped them both, he looked at her confused.  Her hands gripped his waist; she pulled him against her and grasped his lips with hers.  Taken off guard AJ stumbled forward a little bit but his desk stopped them.  He put his hands down on the table top steadying himself as they both kissed with exhilaration.  Her hands began to unclip his robe as he laid his hands gently on the sides of her neck. 

 

“Wait” AJ mumbled through her lips, when she didn’t stop he pulled away. “The door.” He said breathless as Rayne began to caress his chest with her lips.  “Someone could…”

 

“I locked it.” She told him as her hands slid up his bare chest, over his shoulders pushing his robe off and letting it fall to the floor.  AJ looked at her for a moment and she looked at him.  Then their lips returned lustfully to each other and he began to unbutton her robe as he laid her down on the top of his desk.  With erotic hunger their bodies careened against each others, their impassioned moans muffled by skin and kisses.  Their bodies embraced as the couple peaked and as quickly as the lust filled moment started it ended.  AJ held himself over her, his arms on either side of her as her fingers tangled in his long dark hair.  His eyes drifted down her naked body, her robe now lying under her like a blanket.  AJ slipped his arm under her and sat her up.  Her hands drifted down his chest and her lips returned to caress it some more.  He closed his eyes as he ran his fingers through her hair.

 

Without saying a word the couple helped each other get dressed and then they held each other.  A knock at the door broke them from their moment, AJ looked down at her and she lightly smiled letting him go.  As she walked over to one of the chairs she flipped her hair around and clipped it up.  AJ walked over to the door and opened it; he smiled when he saw Avit.

 

“Am I disturbing you?” Avit asked.

 

“No, come in.” AJ replied as he stepped back.  His General walked into the room and bowed when he saw Rayne sitting in the chair.

 

“Rayne” He said with a smile more than happy to see her again.

 

“Hello Avit.” She smiled back.

 

“So what did you need?” AJ asked as he walked over to his desk.  “I haven’t read much about the meeting over Rossi.” AJ told him.

 

“We can discuss that later right now I am here for another matter.” Avit said to AJ.

 

“What’s that?” He asked.

 

“Word is getting around fast many of Winnol citizens have gathered outside the doors.”

 

“I see” AJ said taking a deep breath.

 

“Lady Halian has gone to Sarila to see how things are there and inform Jaina; Lady Nalia has done the same thing.” Avit told him.

 

“What did you want to do?” AJ asked Rayne as he looked at her.

 

“Tell them what they heard is true, that I am indeed alive but tell them we will speak to them tomorrow as I need my rest.” She said to Avit and AJ couldn’t help but smile to himself at the comment.

 

“Very well.” Avit said with a nod.  The General turned around and left the room.

 

AJ walked over to the side of her chair taking her hand as he knelt down beside her.  She looked at him and smiled.  Slowly she leaned in and tenderly kissed him, letting her fingers flutter down his ear.  “So, you need rest.” AJ whispered as their eyes fixated onto each others.  Rayne smiled with a giggle as she nodded returning her lips back to his and lustfully pushed him onto the floor.

 

 

 

 

“Nickolas stop!” Nalia yelled as they rushed down the hallway in the Kalica Castle.  This time unlike the other eighty times she yelled he actually stopped, like a kid not getting the toy he wanted.

 

“What!?” He yelled back as he spun around.

 

“Why are you acting like this?” She spoke with anger and her finger pointed at him with force.

 

“Like what? Like I’m trying to figure out why Rossi hid what happened? Trying to deal with the fact he’s kicked me out and why I always get stuck with the greediest fucking parents in the world!” Nick yelled at her.  “Not to mention I lost my best friend because he thinks it’s my fault Rayne died.”

 

“He blames Pixca.” Nalia said as she tried to take his hands but he pulled away from her.

 

“Who did she talk to, me” Nick snapped at her.  “Who led us there, me.”

 

“Well do you blame yourself?” She asked.

 

“No, how was I to know about some stupid fucking right of passage or doors and shit.”

 

“He will get over it Nick, especially now that she’s back.” Nalia told him.

 

“What about you?”

 

“What about me?” She asked.

 

“You think I haven’t noticed? Going to bed before me, after me, the small talk, and the constant coming to his defense when ever he went off on me, say it Nalia, you blamed me too.”

 

“I did not.” She said shocked.

 

“Excuse me?” Evia said as she stood behind Nick by the staircase.  They both turned they’re attention to her, her arms were at her side, hands on her hips and she stared both of them down.  “Is there a reason you two seem fit to fight here in my halls?” She asked.

 

“Sorry Mother” Nalia said a little embarrassed.

 

“Sorry” Nick said as he looked away.  He then headed down the hall and entered their room.  Nalia sighed as she turned around and headed back to the Winnol globe room.  She stopped in front of the doors as a thought went through her mind.  Slowly she turned around and walked across the hall and stood in front of the Tokia doors.  With a deep breath she opened them and sent herself through to the other side.

 

When she got there though she received a greeting she was not expecting.  Two guards stood at her with their swords out, staring at her.  Nalia looked at them stunned and then composed herself.

 

“I wish to speak to Rossi.” She told them.  The men looked at each other and then took her by the arms and walked her out of the room.  They walked down the hall and she felt herself very uneasy as they took her to Rossi like she was some kind of prisoner.  One guard knocked on Rossi’s door and waited to be called in.

 

“She wishes to speak with yee King.” The guard told the man who opened the door.  Nalia heard some mumbling and then the door opened wider.  They walked into the meeting room and she saw Rossi sitting at his desk. 

 

“Kneel.” The guard said to her and she looked at him.  “Kneel” He said quickly as he jerked his sword at her.  Slowly Nalia got down on her knees.

 

“Yee have a lot of nerve coming here.” Rossi said to her from his desk.

 

“I want to speak to you about Nick.” She told him as she looked at the guards still standing beside her.  “Really Rossi is this necessary.”

 

“I do not wish to speak about Nickolas and yes it is necessary.” He told her.

 

“Why?”

 

“Yee are a Guardian?” He asked as he looked at her and the stare he gave her made the hair on the back of her neck stand up.  “Take her to Uldice.” Rossi told them.

 

“Where?” She asked as the men grabbed her by the arms.  “Rossi?” She shouted as she looked at him confused.  Then something covered her mouth and she tried to fight it off but the smell made her dizzy.  As Nalia fell back onto the floor they pulled the cloth away and she looked at Rossi standing over her.  “Nick…will…come…”

 

“I am counting on it lass.” He said to her as her eyes rolled into the back of her head and she passed out.

Chapter 3 by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

 

                                                             Chapter Three

 

AJ stared at her as she sat straddled across him, one of the thin blankets wrapped around her body, one wrapped around his waist, her arms draped over his shoulders as they sat on top of their bed.  He gently pulled the ends of her sweaty hair off her shoulders as his eyes drifted to her neck.  It had been hours since he found her, hours since they left his meeting room, and now the moon was starting to fall, the sun started to rise as the couple nestled lovingly after their many moments of erotic pleasure through out the night.  His lips pressed tenderly along her collar bone and then drifted to the side of her neck as she tilted her head.  Gingerly he nibbled on her neck and she quietly laughed.

 

“I’m so glad you’re back in my arms.” He whispered as she sat back up.  She smiled as his hands slid up her back and rested over her shoulders.  Leaning in Rayne kissed him trapping his lip between hers.  His mouth slowly opened as he let his tongue roll into her mouth, her tongue flicked against his, and he slowly began to un-wrap the blanket from around her.

 

A knock at the door wasn’t enough at first to break them apart but after the third knock, AJ sighed as they pulled there lips apart.  Rayne climbed off of him as she wrapped herself back up in the blanket and he crawled off the bed.  Grabbing his bed robe he made his way across the room and covered himself up.

 

“I swear this better be Avit telling me Ignis is back.” AJ mumbled as he approached the door and turned on the oil lamp, opening it just a little he peaked his head out.

 

“Which room is Nalia in?” Nick asked.

 

“Nalia? Nalia’s not here.” AJ said “Unless she came back after we went to bed.”

 

“Look dude I know she’s pissed at me I just want to talk to her.” Nick said.

 

“Seriously dude she’s not here, last I saw her she went after you.”

 

“But she came back here after our fight.” Nick replied getting confused.

 

“If she did she didn’t come see Rayne at all.”

 

“She’s not in Kalica.” Nick said as the confusion started to turn to worry.

 

“Maybe she’s somewhere cooling off, you said you had a fight right?”

 

“Why wouldn’t she just come here?” Nick asked.

 

“You last saw her in Kalica correct?” Rayne asked as she walked up to them, wrapping a belt around her royal blue day robe.

 

“Yeah” Nick nodded.

 

“Let’s go there I can try and follow her aura.” She told him.

 

“Cool.” Nick nodded as she walked out.

 

“Are you coming?” She asked AJ.

 

“Yeah let me get dressed.” He replied as he closed the door over.

 

“Sorry I woke you guys.” Nick apologized.

 

“It is ok” She smiled.  “What time did you see her last?”

 

“After AJ told us what happened, I left and she followed we got into a fight, I went to our room and I thought she came back here to see you.” Nick told her as AJ’s bedroom door opened. The three of them walked to the Kalica globe and teleported over.  When they got there Nick walked them over to the spot where she was standing.

 

AJ and Nick watched as Rayne’s eyes searched around the room, within a couple of minutes she had picked up her friends aura.  “She went this way.” Rayne said as she started walking back towards the globe room doors.

 

“So she did go to Winnol?” Nick asked.

 

“No” Rayne said.  “She stopped.” Her eyes searched around until she found the aura again.  “She went there.” She told him as she pointed to the Tokia doors.

 

“She went to talk to Rossi” Nick sighed.  He walked over to the globe room doors and opened them, only taking two steps into before he realized the globe was shut off.  “Looks like she turned it off.” Nick sighed turning around.

 

“Go through the Winnol one.” AJ told him as they headed towards that globe.  They all crossed back over into the Elvaan City and made their way down to the Tokia room.  AJ opened the doors and this time they all froze when they saw that one was also turned off.

 

“Fuck dude you pissed her off good.” AJ said too him and Nick shot him a look.

 

“If she turned this one off, then most likely she shut off the Sarila one as well.” Rayne said. “But we could…” She stopped and turned her head.  AJ and Nick looked at each other and then looked back at her.  Rayne turned around and walked down the hall to her bedroom doors and walked into the room.

 

“Weird.” Nick said looking at AJ.  He didn’t say anything and followed her into the room.

 

“Rayne?” AJ said when he saw her standing at the open window.

 

“What’s she doing dude?” Nick asked as he walked up beside AJ, all he could do was shrug.  Then a large white bird took off from the balcony and it made Nick and AJ jump in surprise.

 

“Why was there a snow hawk here?” Nick asked confused.

 

“A what?” AJ asked.

 

“A snow hawk, it’s a bird from Tokia.” Nick said to him and then he looked back at Rayne. “They live in the cold, there’s no way one would be living here in Winnol.”

 

Slowly Rayne turned around and looked at them.  “We have a problem.”

 

“What kind of problem?” AJ asked.

 

“The hawks tell me Rossi’s men took Nalia to Uldice.”

 

“Where?” AJ asked.

 

“Took?” Nick asked as he raised his eyebrow.  “What do you mean took?”

 

“She was unconscious in a wagon armed with at least five guards and they were heading towards Uldice.” She told him.

 

“What’s this Uldice why haven’t I heard of it before?” AJ asked as Nick bolted out of the room.  “Damn it.” He sighed as he took off after him.  “Nick stop! Don’t make me freeze your ass.”

 

“I have to get her.” Nick said as he spun around.

 

“Ok, we’ll go get her but we need more than the three of us?” AJ told him.

 

“Why we got her.” Nick said pointing to Rayne.  “She suppose to be this new super Guardian, we’ll be able to walk through them.”

 

“And then everyone will know, remember what happened the last time you rushed us into something.” AJ snapped at him.

 

“Bite me asshole.” Nick shot at him as he spun around and took off down the hall.

 

“What was that about?” Rayne asked as she walked up to AJ.

 

“Nothing” AJ sighed shaking his head.  “We should round everyone up.” He told her as he took her hand and headed towards Avit’s room.

 

 

 

 

“Nickolas did you find her?” Evia asked as she walked into the room.

 

“She’s in Tokia.” Nick said as he tossed his large fur coat onto his bed.

 

“Why did she go there?” Evia asked.

 

“She went there to talk to Rossi but…” He stopped as he turned around; he looked at her and then grabbed his jacket.  “I’ll be back in a few days.”

 

“A few days? Nickolas what is going on?” Evia demanded.

 

“Rossi has her and he closed off all the globes.” Nick told her as he turned around.

 

“What? Why?” She said completely floored.

 

“I dunno, something’s going on.”

 

“Do you think she’s in danger, would Rossi really…” Evia asked as she grabbed his arm.

 

“Right now I wouldn’t put anything past him, he knew about Ashmourn and he said nothing, how come the Dwarves remembered Ashmourn but no one else did.” Nick said.

 

“You mean they didn’t forget?” Evia asked.

 

“It’s a thought.” Nick said.  “I gotta go.”

 

“By yourself?” Evia asked as she quickly followed him out the door.

 

“Yes, I don’t have time to wait around for people to get up and make a plan, I’m ready, and I’m going now.  It’s my fault she’s there anyways.” Nick said as he skipped down the steps quickly.  Evia stopped at the top of the stairs and sighed worryingly.

 

 

 

 

“So where is Nick now?” Brian asked.

 

“Probably on his way to Tokia, I’m guessing by Gryphon.” AJ replied.

 

“That’s the cold place isn’t it?” Leigh B asked.

 

“Yes Leigh.” Howie said lightly rolling his eyes.  “Don’t worry we’ve got the human Bic over here.” Howie said nodding to AJ.

 

“Guess we better grab the winter clothing.” Kevin said standing up.

 

“We’ll meet outside the Kalica globe room, less travel time to Tokia from there.” AJ told them.

When everyone left the room AJ plopped down into his chair with a sigh.  “Are you sure you’re up for this?” He asked Rayne as she sat down.

 

“I will be alright.” She smiled at him.  “Are you going to tell me why you and Nick are fighting and why he acted the way he did.”

 

“He’s mad because I’ve been pissed off towards him.”

 

“Why what did he do?” She asked.

 

“He rushed us, we weren’t anywhere near ready to go out there but he just had to go, just like now, he takes off can’t wait and will most likely get his ass in trouble.” AJ said getting louder.  “If he would have waited we would have found something, we would have known what the Druids were supposed to do and we could have found another way.”

 

“But there was no other way.” Rayne told him.  “The Druids are the only ones. You can’t blame Nick he was doing as Pixca asked of him.”

 

“So why couldn’t she tell him?”

 

“Perhaps she knew you would try to find another way.” She said to him.  “It would have only wasted time.”

 

“Rayne”

 

“I know it was hard Alex but…”

 

He interrupted her as he shot up out of his chair.  “Hard? It wasn’t hard Rayne, it was damn near intolerable.”

 

“Alex” She frowned as she got up.

 

“Watching that building come down, going to bed that night without you, waking up after dreaming about you all night and then realizing it was just that, a fucking dream!” He shouted at her.  “The yearning need to talk to you, to hold you, and too kiss you, knowing it would never ever happen.”

 

“Alex” She repeated as she walked up to him.

 

“They started it, their actions put you in that situation, you didn’t have a god damn choice, and if I want to be fucking mad at them, I’m going to be mad at them.” He shouted as she took his hands.  She didn’t say anything as she wrapped his arms around her waist and put her arms around him.  Laying her head on his chest she listened to his heart as it raced a fast pace beat.

 

“Ok” She finally spoke as he laid his head on top of hers.  “I understand.”

 

He pulled away slowly resting his hands on her shoulders.  “I’m sorry I shouldn’t have yelled at you.”

 

“It is alright” She lightly smiled.  “We should go pack.”  He nodded as they wrapped their arms around each others waist and walked out of the room.

 

Chapter 4 by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

 

                                                              Chapter Four

 

Nick reached the large forest below the Frozen Mountains of Mu’Dire inside the mountain sat the ruins of Uldice.  He sent the Gryphon back into the air, hopefully finding shelter in a mountain cave until Nick needed it again.  He pulled his fur hood over his head blocking the blowing wind that pounded against him.  Tossing his bag over his shoulder and began to trudge through the snow.  He only heard of two openings to the ruins and he hoped he knew the position of one of them. 

 

The wind blew hard at him, the snow stuck to his expose skin and he constantly had to wipe the water from his face before it would freeze.  He would stop after traveling for as long as he could, along the way searching for an opening into the jagged rock.  Nick had been walking for what felt to him like hours and he dropped to his knees as he huffed for air.  He leaned forward putting his hand on the cold wet snow, when it touched the ground beneath it a strange feeling rushed through him.  It called to him, giving him energy, making him stronger, just like the lava creatures, like Ashmourn or anything else evil he touched.

 

“Whoa.” Nick said pulling his hand away as he realized the ground around the mountain was tainted.  “I knew it.” He grunted as he stood up.  With his new found strength Nick adjusted his bag and began walking again.  As the night got darker the storm started to pick up and it was getting harder and harder to see anything in front of him, let alone an opening to the caves.  He stopped and looked around; it took a minute for his eyes to adjust to the falling snow as he scanned around him for some sign of an entrance.

 

He heard something snap behind him as he spun around he saw a club coming at him and then blackness.  In what seemed like a moment later his head started to throb and then it began to ache.  Slowly his senses started to come back to him, he began to smell again, he began to feel again and although blurry he began to see again.  A moan escaped his lips as he reached for his head.  Feeling a wall behind him he sluggishly sat up and leaned against it as he squeezed his eyes closed, trying to focus.

 

“H-h-hello?” A quiet meek voice broke from the other side of the room.  Nick opened his eyes and let them adjust to the dark room.  As he looked around he saw a door with a small window blocked by thick iron bars, the walls were rock, like he was in a cave, the ground was rock and dirt and that’s when Nick realized he was inside the Mountain.  A scuffling sound turned his attention to the corner of the cell.

 

“Hello?” Nick said as he watched the dark figure.  He now saw that it was lying curled up against the corner of the wall.

 

“N-nick?” The voice spoke again and his eyes widened. 

 

Quickly he scurried over to the figure. “Nali?” He carefully sat her up and began to check her over. “Nali it’s me, it’s Nick.” He told her as he held her up, her head facing down towards the ground. 

 

Slowly her head rose up and as her long brown hair fell from her face his eyes widened in horror.  “Nick?” She spoke again with an unsure tone.

 

“What did they do to you?” He asked trying to fight back the tears, the anger, and the pain.  “Nalia what did they do to you?” He asked again this time the tears; anger and pain were winning the fight.  She didn’t answer as her head started to drop again but he stopped it, carefully placing his hands on the side of her face he pushed her head up and looked into her eyes.  Only her eyelids were closed caked in dried blood, he didn’t have to ask her, he knew what they had done. They took away the only thing a Warrior truly needed, her eyes. “Nali?” He said as he let his tears fall.  Her hand slowly reached up and wrapped around his wrist. 

 

He could feel her life draining from her and he knew he had to get her out of here.  The anger rushed through him as he stood up and walked over to the door.  His nostrils flared and he grunted in anger standing at the door.  No one was around or at least anyone he could see.  Turning around he looked down at Nalia as she sat sitting against the wall.  She reached out for him weakly wondering where he went too.  This sight angered him more and a dark purple cloud started to rise like steam from the rocky dirt floor beneath him.  He thought about what he would do when he got a hold of Rossi, this man who was suppose to be his Father.  His grunting became louder and as the rage exploded from him he screamed, falling to his knees.  The cloud now danced around his arms as his body began to absorb it.  He felt himself getting stronger, the essence of the mountain feeding him power and strength.  Standing up he walked over to Nalia and picked her up.  She tried to stop him at first, the noise around her confusing her.

 

“I’m getting you out of here.” Nick said as she heard his voice and began to calm.  Walking over to the door he kicked it and it went flying off its’ hinges.  He walked through the door and headed down the hallway that had the strongest breeze hoping to find an exit.  With each stepped the purple haze kept dancing around his feet, his body absorbing as much as it could. The sound of men shouting took his attention for a moment and then he whispered a spell and the walls began to quake.  The ground turned into some sort of grave yard as skeletons began to crawl from the dirt.  When he ran into a pack of Dwarfs they looked at him and his companions with confusion.  Then their stares turned to fright as Nick commanded the skeletons to attack and they listened to their Master.  When the last Dwarf was dead Nick continued walking.

 

Dwarf after Dwarf came after him but he sent skeleton after skeleton back at them.  When one Dwarf dropped there was no one to replace him but when a skeleton dropped Nick could easily summon a new one.  The marching bones cleared the halls as he made his way outside and into the snow.  He held her close to him, trying to shield her from the blowing winds and snow.  Finding them some shelter amongst a patch of pine trees, he carefully set her down.  Then he heard the sound of a snow hawk flying around.  At first he ignored it as he tried to get her attention but she had passed out again.  Then he remembered in Alex and Rayne’s room, the snow hawk that was there.  Quickly he took off his heavy coat and wrapped her in it and then left the safety of the trees.  His eyes scanned the sky for any sign of the bird and a moment later he saw it.  He waved his arms and screamed getting its attention.  The white bird circled around him for a moment and then took off over his head.  Slipping back into the trees he went back to Nalia and picked her up in his arms.  His body was starting to shake from the cold but he didn’t care, she needed the warmth more than he did. 

 

“I’m sorry.” He whispered as he held her lightly rocking her.  “I’m so sorry.”

 

A few minutes later Nick heard the loud footsteps of a Gryphon landing, he waited quietly not sure if it was Rossi or his friends.  His body fought hard against the cold but he knew if he was out here any longer he was going to go into hypothermia. He could hear the footsteps of someone walking through the snow and then he heard more.  Standing up Nick with Nalia in his arms he walked out from behind the trees and to his relief saw his friends.  When he did he dropped to his knees, still holding Nalia.

 

“Nick” AJ said as he ran over to him.

 

“Is she ok?” Rayne asked as she joined him.  They both saw the look on Nick’s face, the tears frozen to his cheeks.  Quickly Rayne put her hand on Nalia.  “She’s still alive but we have to get her out of here.”

 

“They…” Nick stopped his voice blocked by the pain of what they had done to her and the fact that he was freezing.  “They took…” He tried to force it out but he couldn’t.  Rayne looked at him confused and then looked to Nalia.  That’s when she noticed what Nick was talking about.

 

“Alex” Rayne said breathless looking at him.

 

“Give her too me Nick, I’ll teleport to Winnol.” AJ said as he looked at her friend.  Nick looked back at him, he didn’t want to let her go, or leave her, even if it was with his friend.

 

“Nick.” Rayne said as she put her hand on his shoulder.  Quickly he closed his eyes and handed Nalia over to AJ.  A second later AJ and Nalia were gone.

 

“W-why?” Nick asked as Kevin walked up to him with a new heavy coat.  “W-why would Rossi do that…D-does h-he h-hate me that much?”

 

“I do not know.” Rayne replied with a frown.

 

“W-what is she going to do?” He asked.

 

“We’ll worry about that later; we need to get you back as well.” Rayne said as Nick put the coat on himself. 

 

 

 

 

AJ sat on the stone bench outside of Nalia’s room.  He was waiting for everyone to get back.  The Priest had told him that Nalia would be ok, well alive, but they could not save her eye sight because, well there was nothing to save.  They also told him the Dwarves healed the wounds enough so she wouldn’t bleed to death, at least right away.  He did not look forward to telling Nick this news.

 

“Really Nick you should sit in the Springs.” Rayne said to him as they walked into the court yard.

 

“I’m fine.” Nick said back as he walked up to AJ.  “Where is she?”

 

“That room.” AJ told him pointing to the room behind him.  Nick headed towards the door when AJ grabbed his arm.  “The Priest.” AJ began to talk but stopped what would he say.  “The Priest said she’s going to be ok.”

 

“What about her eyes?” Rayne asked but AJ didn’t take his eyes off of Nick.

 

“There was nothing to save.” AJ said quietly.  “They knew what they were doing because they made sure she didn’t bleed to death from it.”  He could hear the moans of sadness and disbelief from his friends but he kept his eyes on Nick.  When he let go of Nick’s arm his friend walked into the cave.

 

“So why did Rossi do that?” Kevin asked as the others gathered around outside.

 

“The Dwarfs hide many secrets.” Rayne said and AJ could tell she was pissed too.  “Selfish secrets.”

 

“Looks like Nick was getting to close for comfort.” AJ said as he looked at Kevin.

 

“Are we going to War again?” Howie asked with a frown.

 

“I hope it doesn’t come to that.” AJ sighed.

 

“The dude cut out Nalia’s eyes, what do you think Nick’s going to do?” Kevin said looking back at AJ.  “He attacked the Princess of Kalica; you think her Mom is going to just sit back?”

 

“I don’t know.” AJ replied.  “I mean its Rossi.”

 

“He’s still a Dwarf Alexander.” Rayne spoke up. 

 

“He’s a dead Dwarf.” Nick said out of no where as he took off out of the cave.

 

“Hey!” AJ shouted as Kevin stopped him.

 

“What!” Nick shouted as he spun around.  “Go ahead, say it.”

 

“Huh?” AJ said confused.

 

“Say it, say it’s my fault!” He yelled.

 

“It’s not dude.” AJ replied still confused.

 

“I was so hell bent on finding out about Rossi, she probably went there to get him to talk to me and look what happened.” Nick said as he began to cry.

 

“Nick you couldn’t have known he would do that.” Kevin said as he took him by the shoulders.

 

“I gotta go.” Nick said quickly as he spun around.

 

“Where are you going?” AJ yelled after him.

 

“Someone has to tell Evia.” Nick said to them and then he left the Springs.

Chapter 5 by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

 

                                                              Chapter Five

 

It was late at night and AJ woke with no one beside him, a little worried with how she was handling what happened to Nalia, he got up and got dressed.  He left the room and entered the dim lit hallway of his Castle.  AJ walked down to the Healing Springs and entered Nalia’s cave, stopping when he didn’t see Rayne.

 

“Hey man.” Nick mumbled and AJ looked over at him.  “Rayne’s not here she left about a half hour ago.”

 

“How are you doing?” AJ asked but wondered where Rayne was.

 

“I dunno.” Nick said as he looked at Nalia.  She was sitting in the bath her eyes covered with a silk bandage, she looked very peaceful.  “I’m sorry.”

 

“What?” AJ said looking at him.

 

“For rushing us and getting Rayne killed, I’m sorry.” Nick said his eyes not breaking from Nalia.  “I just hoped things would be different here but then Rossi started lying about Ashmourn and it was like déjà vu.”

 

“I wish I knew what he was thinking Nick but I don’t.”

 

“I do.” Nick said looking down.  “That whole Mountain was flowing with evil; I felt it, almost like Ashmourn.”

 

“Pixca told me the Dwarves were the ones who opened the door, that’s why Rayne doesn’t like them much anymore.” AJ told him.

 

“I’ve noticed.” Nick said as he titled his head stretching his neck.

 

“Has she woken up at all?” AJ asked.

 

“Nope.” Nick sighed.

 

“Why don’t you go crash, there’s a room ready for you.”

 

“I’m good.” Nick told him shaking his head.  AJ didn’t fight it; he spent many nights here with Rayne and vise versa.  “You know what scares me the most?”

 

“What?” AJ asked.

 

“What is she going to do? No one will answer me.” Nick said as he looked at AJ.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“She’s blind now, how can she fight, she’s a Warrior, how can she wield a sword or an axe, how can she protect herself?” He asked and AJ didn’t know how to answer.  “And it’s my entire fault.”

 

“It’s not your fault dude; you couldn’t have known he would do something like this.” AJ told him and when he said those words something inside him told him to take his own advice.

 

“But if I hadn’t been so damn impatient, if I hadn’t let everything get to me and just chilled out like you said, we wouldn’t have fought and she wouldn’t have gone to talk to Rossi.” Nick said as he began to cry.

 

“Nick this is on Rossi not you, she went there to talk to him, she could have left it alone and gone to Winnol, she nor any of us had any idea he would go this far.”  AJ told him.  “You can’t blame yourself Nick, she’s going to need you to be strong, I mean she’s a Guardian so maybe something can be done but until then you’re the one who can protect her.”

 

Nick took a deep breath and sighed.  “I’m gonna go find Rayne and get back to sleep, you should do the same, the Priest knows to send for you.” AJ told him but Nick just lightly smiled.

 

He left his friend and walked out of the Springs and back through the city, deciding to go back to the Castle and see if she had returned.  The streets were quiet and the only lights on were those in the streets and the odd house light.  The guard at the front door opened it for him with a bow and AJ returned the greeting.  Walking up the stairs he made his way to his room and sighed in relief when he saw Rayne sitting on the couch.

 

“There you are.” He said with a smile as she looked at him.  “I went to the Springs but Nick said you left.”

 

“Yeah went for a walk in the park.” She told him as he sat down beside her.

 

“Are you doing ok beautiful?” He asked as she laid in his arms.

 

“I am just worried about Nalia.” She told him.  “And very angry at Rossi.”

 

“Yeah, I think we all are.” AJ replied as he gently kissed her forehead.  “It scares me to think what could be so important to Rossi that he would do that to Nalia, or to Nick for that matter.”

 

“It is the evil that Pixca talked about, the demons probably took control of the Dwarves to do their bidding and Rossi is their King, he is their blood line.” Rayne told him.

 

“But where does that put Nick?” AJ asked.

 

“Perhaps that is why he has been the way he is, fighting within himself.” She replied.

 

“Should we be worried?” AJ asked.

 

“No, Pixca will protect him, if she has not done something already.” Rayne said as she snuggled closer to him but hearing her talk so highly of Pixca irritated him a little.

 

 

 

 

Nick was fast asleep, his head resting on the stone tub as he sat on the floor and his arms tucked under his head replacing a pillow.  The sound of water splashing woke him up and he lifted his head and saw Nalia sitting up.  She reached for the cloth over her eyes but Nick stopped her and when he touched her she jumped.

 

“It’s me.” He said quickly.  “It’s Nick.”

 

“Nick?” She replied her voice still weak.

 

“Yeah baby it’s me.” He said as he held her hands. “You’re safe in Winnol, in the Springs.”

 

“I can not see anything.” She told him.  “Why can I not open my eyes?”

 

“Nali…” Nick thought about how to tell her.

 

“What did they do to me?” She asked and then her body froze.  “Nick” She said in a somber tone and he wondered by the look on her face if she was remembering.   “I just wanted to talk to him; I just wanted him to talk to you.”

 

“I know Nali.” Nick frowned.

 

“Why?” She asked as she started to cry.  “Why would he do this to me?”

 

Nick took her into his arms and he didn’t care she was soaking wet.  “I don’t know baby but I promise I’ll find out and when I do he’ll pay for it.” He told her.  “This is my fault and I’ll make it right, I promise.”

 

“What?” She said as she pulled away from him.

 

“It’s my fault this happened.” He told her.  “I should have waited; I should have waited for everyone.”

 

“Nick” She replied with a frown as her hand drifted up his arm to his face.

 

“I’m sorry Nali.” Nick said as he cried.  When he felt her reaching for a hug he pulled her into his arms again.  “I’m so sorry.”  Her arms wrapped around him tighter and he closed his eyes pushing out the last of his tears.  Vowing now to let the pain turn into hate, hate directed at Rossi.

 

 

 

 

The next morning AJ work up with Rayne in his arms, slowly he sat up on his side and let his eyes wonder until they reached her rings.  Gently he picked her hand up and looked at them, read the same words that were on his.  Running his thumb over the engraved lettering he sighed as he thought about that night in Ashmourn.  He started to feel bad for blaming Nick and he knew his friend was right, Pixca wasn’t truthful with him and Rossi didn’t say anything either but truth be told they were just cover.  Covering the fact he was mad at himself for not dragging her out of there.  He knew he shouldn’t be, if he had she would have been furious with him and who knows what would have happened.  She told him when he first met her she would fight with her last breathe to save this place and that’s what she did.

 

“What time is it?” She yawned as she slowly sat up on her arms.

 

“Not sure.” He replied as her fingers wrapped around his hand.

 

“Everything alright?” She asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded. 

 

Sitting up she wrapped the blanket around her and sat in front of him.  “I want to tell you something.”

 

“Ok” AJ said looking at her as she held his hands.

 

“I know you are mad at Pixca and Nick and maybe even me, I know it was very hard to go through what you went through, I could not think what I would be like if it had been you.” She told him as he looked at her fingers as they tangled around his.  “But I want you to know that I was not backed against a wall, I chose to do it because it had to be done to save Pixcadia, to close the door and lock the demons out of this world and keep them in theirs.  I did it because of you.”

 

“Me?” AJ said a little confused.

 

“Kevin, Nick, and even you, they have told me how sad you were back on Earth, how lost you were.  You said yourself you had a hard time finding who you really were. The night Ignis showed me Nick’s memories, you must have been very unhappy to do that to yourself.” She started to explain.  “But here you are different, this is the place you are suppose to be, this place made you happy again, showed you who you truly were, you need this place and that is why I did what I did.  To save this place for the people and for you, this is your home and I know you are safe here.”

 

“Rayne.” AJ said with a slight frown.

 

“I hate seeing you so angry at Nick and at Pixca, I am sorry I put you in that position Alex, that you had to leave me there but I had to do it and not because Pixca did not tell Nick about the Dryads. Not because Nick rushed us there or even because Rossi did not say anything, I did it because no one else could.  It would have been me no matter what, whether we waited or not that was always going to be the only solution.”  Rayne said as a tear dripped down from the corner of his eye. 

 

AJ went to speak but she started before him. “I know, it does not mean you have to be happy about it.” She replied quickly with a light smile and he returned it.

 

“I take it you’ve talked to Avit.” He said with a light smile.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “He has seen every other Breezewalker fall to things he could not control, he is the one that is supposed to protect them and knowing the pain you were going through, knowing the pain you had gone through back on Earth, he was so worried about you.”

 

“He’s a good friend and I do trust him with my life.” AJ replied remembering how Avit basically let him get away with murder after Ashmourn.

 

“You’re also his last link to Nati.” She told him and he looked at her, sometimes he forgot he had a sister and it wasn’t hard to forget Dyn. “I know you never knew her but you are Nati’s brother and their love was just as strong as ours is.” She told him. 

 

“We need to move forward now.” She as she let her fingers drift down through his hair, skimming past his ear.  “Things are going to get very bad between Rossi and Nick.”

 

“What is he hiding?” AJ asked.

 

“I do not know.” She replied.  “Maybe nothing now since we know what they did all those years ago, perhaps that is why Rossi did what he did, he knew we would come for him, so he struck first.”

 

“Nick said he felt the death and evil through out the whole area, like in Ashmourn, did you feel anything?” He asked hoping that place didn’t have the same effect on her that Ashmourn had.

 

“If you mean was it draining me the way Ashmourn did than no but there is something there, life does have a hard time there, it struggles.” She told him.

 

“What was with the whole Snow Hawk thing?” He asked.

 

“I guess it is a perk from the Dryad side of me.” Rayne replied with a light shrug.

 

“You can talk to them?”

 

“Not really talk but I can hear what the say, most of the animals, trees, and the plants when they want me too.” She told him.

 

“Really?” He replied a little surprised and she nodded.  “Anything else cool you can do?”

 

“I am still learning, trying to understand this new part of me.” AJ watched as she looked down at their hands and then she looked back up at him.  “Do you think I have changed?”

 

“Changed?” AJ said as he started to think about her question.  “A little but nothing bad, you seem stronger, more confident and well then there’s how you are when we’re here, alone in our bed, or in my meeting room.” He replied with a soft smile and she returned it.  “Why?”

 

“Mother said she noticed how different I am, she said it was not a bad thing but I do not know if she was telling me the truth.” She told him.

 

He looked at her for a moment and then gently kissed her neck. “Nope, nothing bad there.” He whispered as his lips drifted up to her jaw line and then he kissed her lips.  “Nothing bad there either.” He replied still in a whisper and she softly smiled.  “Still, better investigate further.” He told her gently pecking at her lips as he slowly laid her back onto the pillows.

Chapter 6 by VeeLynn

                          The Guardian Crusade

                                            Volume III

 

                                                                 Chapter Six

 

Nick stood on the balcony of his and Nalia’s bedroom in Kalica.  He could see the ocean from it in the distance, the ocean lead to Tokia.  His eyes glared at the horizon as his hands gripped the thick stone balcony railing tightly.  Nalia kicked him out so he would go to sleep when her Mom showed up and he honestly tried to when he got back here but his mind was a whirlwind of emotions and thoughts.  The bedroom door opened and he turned around, he was a little surprised to see Nalia being carried in by some Priest from Winnol.  When he walked into the room Evia entered and walked over to him.

 

“They said she could come home and rest but a Priest must be here to tend to her…” The woman stopped and frowned.  “I am calling a meeting before breakfast to discuss what to do about Rossi and the Dwarves, I have sent Bussa to inform Rayne and Alexander, and I would like you to be there as well.”

 

“I will.” Nick told her firmly.  He watched as Evia’s eyes drifted to her daughter and she sighed.  “I worry what will happen to her but I know she will be ok because she has you.” Evia said and Nick looked away, he didn’t feel very worthy.

 

“Mom?” Nalia said and they both looked at her.  She was sitting up against some pillows, her hair was down and still damp, she wore a new dry robe, and her eyes were covered in clean soft linen bandages that wrapped around her head.

 

“Yes sweetheart?” Her mother asked.

 

“Is Nick here?” She asked.

 

“Yeah Nali I’m here.” Nick replied as he walked over too her and Evia left the room to get ready for the meeting before breakfast.

 

“You are supposed to be sleeping.” She said as her hand reached for him.

 

“I tried but I can’t right now.” He told her and he took it.  Nick sat down on the edge of the bed beside her. 

 

“Well I am tired so will you come lie with me?” She asked and he lightly smiled.

 

“Sure.” Nick said and climbed into bed beside her. He laid their hands on his stomach as she slowly moved closer to him.  Her head lied directly across from him and he examined her face more closely starting with the small cut on her lip.  There was bruise on her cheek, a cut on her forehead, and then there was the silk wrap around her eyes.  His lip started to quiver as tears began to swarm and he closed his eyes trying to push away the guilt and pain. 

 

Nick looked down when she let go of his hand and drifted it up his arm.  Her fingers drifted across his neck and gently along his cheek.  She tilted her head up as she let her finger tips lightly explore the side of his face.  When her finger ran over a tear it stopped and he saw her lips frown. 

 

“Do not blame yourself.” She spoke quietly.

 

“I don’t, trust me, I blame Rossi.” Nick told her as she wiped the tear away.  “I’m just scared.”

 

“Scared?” She replied puzzled.

 

“For you.” He told her.  “What will you do now? How can you fight?”

 

“I do not know.” She said with a light sigh.  “But we will figure out something and until then I have you.”

 

“Nalia I don’t know if…” He was interrupted.

 

“I know you can, I was awake when you were carrying me down the tunnel in that place, I heard those creatures and there were many.” She said as her hand slid down to his neck.  “I heard what the Dwarves were screaming when they got attacked by them.”  Her thumb rubbed along his chin. “I know I am safe with you and you will watch over me.”  Nalia pulled him closer to her lips and kissed him.  He wrapped his hand around the back of her neck, his fingers tangled in her hair and his lips parted as her tongue drifted along his. As they pulled away her hand drifted from his neck down around his waist and around his back.  He lightly kissed her forehead as she tucked it under his chin, against his neck and nestled into him.

 

“I love you Nali.”

 

“I love you too my darling.” She replied as her hand rested against his chest.  Finally his mind had stopped racing and he ended up falling asleep before Nalia did.

 

 

 

            AJ held onto Rayne’s arm as they walked side by side down the stairs of the Kalica Palace and Avit and Jaina walked in front of them.  The couple was eating breakfast with the guys and their wives when Bussa came in and informed them about the meeting Queen Evia was calling.  They both knew it was coming; Kalica would want justice for what happened to Nalia.  He was also interested in seeing how Nick was doing. 

 

The doors to the large meeting room opened and they both followed their guards into the room.  When AJ walked in he looked around and saw Evia sitting at her desk, Bussa standing beside her and as he looked around for Nick he heard the doors upstairs open.  He looked up and saw Nick coming out of his and Nalia’s bedroom. 

 

“How is she?” Rayne asked as Nick walked down the stairs.

 

“She’s sleeping right now.” Nick told her as he reached the bottom.  “So what’s the plan?”

 

“If Rossi is using Uldice as a base than that means he has the entire island under watch.” Evia said as she looked over a map of Tokia.

 

“What is this Uldice anyways?” AJ asked.

 

“It was an old city, Rossi told me about it once but he just made it out like it was somewhere they use to live until they learned to work with metal and built Augem.” Nick spoke up.  “He said it was abandoned with only some guards watching over the tunnels.”

 

“Did he ever take you there?” Rayne asked.

 

“No, just pointed it out on a map quickly.” He replied.

 

“How did you know where to go?” Evia asked.

 

“Didn’t, they jumped me and brought me too her and then I broke out.” Nick replied he then looked at Rayne.  “What did Pixca tell you?”

 

“Tell me?” She replied a little confused.

 

“Back at Ashmourn before…” He stopped at looked at AJ.  “Before the door closed, you knew about what the Dwarves did, what did she say?”

 

“She told me that while they were fighting for the land with the humans, they went into the mountains and started mining that’s when they came across Ignis.” Rayne told them.

 

“What was Ignis doing there?” AJ asked.

 

“That is where he stayed after Silvnia became a Dryad.” Rayne said.

 

“Who?” Nick spoke up.

 

“Silvina was a Druid she was the next chosen Druid to become a Dryad, when he learned what they a Dryad was suppose to do, he tried to stop her but in the end she followed the path she was meant too.” Rayne said as she looked over to AJ.  “He secluded himself in the mountains until the Dwarves found him.  He agreed to give them power to win the war with the humans if they helped him.”

 

“Do what?” Evia asked.

 

“Get revenge against Pixca for what he felt she made Silvina do.” Rayne told them.  “Something happened, for some reason the Dwarves destroyed the Tree and killed the Dryad; it sent Ignis into a rage. The door was opened and the Demons started coming through, the land changed and when Pixca went there to stop it, she lots her powers, like what happened to me and then she was placed in Ashmourn. Ignis went after the Guardians until everyone forgot what had happened.”

 

“So the Dwarves knew all along.” Nick said as he sat back in his chair.

 

“I would say so and now knowing the events that have happened, it would explain why King Colim and Father were always a step behind.” Rayne said as she looked at Evia.

 

“And why Rossi sent Nickolas away.” Evia said sadly.

 

“Perhaps.” Rayne agreed.

 

“What about me? Marsa knew nothing; He wouldn’t have been in on this.” AJ spoke up quickly.

 

“Marsa was Elvaan and above all else believed in the word of Pixca, he was only doing what he thought she asked.” Rayne told him.  “We know Marsa would not have been with Ignis.” She reassured him.

 

That pissed AJ off, he knew what it was like to get used by people who took advantage of his heart and where it took him.  Whether it be his Father back on Earth, Fans trying to get theirs or some woman some where wanting to see her name in lights along with his.  Now he was realizing it happened to Marsa too, he was used for following his heart. 

 

“Alex we will need to use your Spies.” Evia said and he looked up at her.  “We’ll need some in Augem and some to update us on what is going on at Uldice.”

 

“I will meet with them when we leave here.” AJ told her.

 

“Where does Sarila stand?” Evia asked Rayne.

 

“Jaina has begun to ready the fleet and the army is on stand by to be shipped with them.” Rayne replied.

 

“I had Avit send some Gryphon Riders as well; they will arrive in a couple of hours.” AJ told her as Evia nodded.

 

“We will send out the spies and let them watch for a day or so that way we can find out where his army is concentrated.” Evia said as she pointed to something for Bussa to see.  “Rossi knows we’re going to go after him, perhaps making him wait will falter his judgment.”

 

“They should start where we found Nick and Nalia.” Rayne spoke up.

 

“Yes I agree but we will need some spies to cover Augem as well, find out how the two places are communicating.” Evia replied.  “Rossi might have guards out searching, prepare them for that but a Dwarf of any kind is no match for your Spies Alexander.”

 

AJ was about to say something when a loud crashing sound from the room upstairs made everyone jump. Nick was out of his chair and up the stairs before anyone else reacted.  AJ walked into the room with Rayne and they both stopped when they saw Nalia on the floor no where near her bed.  Nick knelt beside her making sure she was ok.

 

“I just wanted to go to the restroom.” Nalia said bitterly as she cried.  “I can not even do that.”

 

“You just need to learn where everything is.” Nick told her as AJ looked at Rayne; she had a frown on her face and pain in her eyes.

 

“This has been my room since the day I was born.” Nalia replied with frustration.  “And what if I want to leave?”  She asked.  “How long will it take me to learn the Palace and the City?”

 

AJ felt something move beside him when he turned and looked he saw Rayne heading to the bedroom door.  He quickly looked back at Nick who was still on the floor holding Nalia and then back to Rayne but it was too late, the door was closing behind her.  He walked out of the room and into the hallway when he saw her heading down the hall.

 

“Rayne!” He called out to her but she didn’t stop. With a moan he rolled his eyes and then started to jog down the hall.  “Rayne!” He called out again as he got closer and he was glad to see she stopped. 

 

“What is it?” She asked turning around.

 

“Where are you going?” He asked as he approached her.

 

“To the Park.” Rayne said as she turned back around.

 

“Park?” AJ replied confused.

 

“The Park in Winnol, I need to think.” She told him as she turned back around.  “I will be alright.” She shouted back to him as she walked down the hall.  He was still confused on why she wanted to go to the Park in the first place and then he remembered, the Dryad.  Watching her until she turned down the other hallway that led to Winnol’s globe room, he thought about following her, seeing what she did there.  He then remembered the night before when he went looking for her and when he found her in their room later, she said she had been at the Park.

 

Letting his curiosity get the better of him he closed his eyes and pictured the Park at home.  When he opened them again he was there surrounded by the tall trees, green grass, and the smell of flowers flowed with the breeze.  He made his way over to some bushes near the gate hoping he would catch her walking in.  Quietly he waited and a few minutes later Rayne walked into the Park area.  She walked past him and made her way towards the large Flower Garden.  Carefully he followed her until she stopped and he found a place to conceal himself.

 

“Pixca?” She called out and his face fell a little confused.

 

“Yes my child.” He heard Pixca say and he looked towards the voice.  “I see we are still meeting here, I assume Alexander is still mad at me?”

 

“Can you not feel him?” Rayne asked.

 

“Only through you.” She replied.

 

“He is starting to understand what I had to do and I am sure with what is going on with the Dwarves he will get passed it.”

 

“I hope you are right.” Pixca told her. “Now why did you call for me?”

 

“It is about Nalia.” Rayne replied and he listened more closely. “Can you help her?”

 

“As I told you last night I can not interfere.” Pixca replied and AJ rolled his eyes as he let a small laugh out.

 

“You have interfered already.” Rayne said her voice showing a hint of anger.  “How is she supposed to be a Guardian if she can not do her job?”

 

“She will adapt.” Pixca told her.

 

“Adapt?” Both Rayne and AJ replied sharply but luckily no one heard him.

 

“Just give her time.” Pixca said.

 

“Perhaps Alex is right.” Rayne said angrily.

 

“Rayne” Pixca said with a sigh.

 

“You pick and choose, you brought me back, you changed me and you can not do the simplest thing for Nalia?” She asked as her voice became louder.  “You will leave her absolutely defenseless?”

 

“She is not defenseless Rayne you will just need to give her time.” Pixca told her.

 

“I do not understand this; it is not fare that you pick favorites.” She said shaking her head, AJ stood there in a little bit of shock that Rayne had spoken that way to Pixca and then she did something that made him worry instead of cheer, Rayne walked away from Pixca and left the Park.

 

Chapter 7 by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

 

                                                             Chapter Seven

 

Nick sat at the desk in his and Nalia’s room.  She was fast asleep again and had been that way since her little accident upstairs.  It was hard telling her everything would be alright; everything would be ok because Nick wasn’t sure if it would be.  How was he going to go to War with Rossi, do his job as a Guardian and protect Nalia?  When he heard a commotion in the hallway he quickly looked over to Nalia hoping it didn’t wake her.  He got up from the desk and made his way to the door, when he got there someone started to knock.  Quickly he opened it and saw Bussa standing on the other side.

 

“What is going on?” Nick asked.

 

“One of Tokia’s ships has anchored off the shore line.” Bussa told him.

 

“One?” Nick replied a little confused.

 

“Yes just one.” Bussa told him.  “The Queen has asked that you escort her and her guards there, I will stay with Princess Nalia.”

 

Nick looked back at Nalia, still fast asleep and sighed. “Alright.” He nodded, if it had been anyone else he would have told them no but he knew Bussa would be there for her.  Making his way down the hall he headed towards the front lobby and saw about six guards and Evia all waiting for him.  He walked down the stairs and joined the group, Evia walked up to him. 

 

“You will ride in the carriage with me.” She told him and he nodded.  Evia took him by the arm and they both walked outside of the Palace to the awaiting carriage at the bottom of the front Palace stairs.  Looking around at the people he couldn’t help but notice the sorrow on their faces. 

 

“Where was Nalia when Bussa arrived?” Evia asked.

 

“Sleeping.” Nick replied as he closed the carriage door.

 

“How are you?” She asked as he sat down on the bench across from her.

 

“I’m ok.” He told her as he looked out the window.  The carriage jerked forward and Nick had to brace himself a little.

 

“Just ok?” Evia asked.

 

“I’ll be better once Rossi is dead.” Nick told her.  “What do we know about the ship?”

 

“Not much till we get there, once I had heard I had my men go and try to board the ship or at least keep an eye on it till we and the others arrived.” Evia told him.  “All I know right now is that it is a Tokia ship and there are people on it.”

 

“Why only one?” Nick asked.  “Do you think it’s a trap?”

 

“That is why I brought you.” Evia replied with a smile.  “But I do not see how he could get enough men on the boat and have them properly prepared to fight against you and my Army.”

 

Nick looked out the window, it had to be a trap but why would Rossi risk something like that already.  He knew there was only one ship, the soldiers would have seen the other boats and if there were then they would be too far out to make a successful attack against the shore when Nick and Evia got there.  With a sigh he sat back against the carriage wall and closed his eyes. 

 

“I am relieved to get out of the Palace.” Evia spoke up and Nick opened one eye.  She was looking out her window with her thoughts apparent on her face.  “The Warrior Guild has been asking me so many questions.”

 

“Why?” Nick asked as he sat up.

 

“They want to help Nalia; they have an idea of training her other senses, heightening them so perhaps she could compensate for…” Evia paused and looked at him.  “I’ve told them she is not ready but they are persistent on starting as soon as possible.”

 

“What did Nalia say?” Nick asked her.

 

“I have tried to talk to her but she says nothing, just lies in bed and asks to be alone.” Evia sighed. “I hate seeing her the way she is and not because of her eyes, it is how torn and confused she is.”

 

“Torn?” Nick replied unsure what she meant.

 

“When you went with Alexander to talk to his spies earlier I heard her talking in her room, I am not sure if it was to herself or if she was actually talking to Pixca but she is very angry that Pixca has not helped.” Evia told him.  “She has helped Alexander, Rayne and even yourself but when it comes to my Nalia she will not interfere.” Nick was about to reply when the carriage came to a stop and they both looked out their windows. 

 

“Looks like we’re here.” Nick said as he opened the door to the coach and stepped out.  He held out his hand so Evia could step out and down the step.

 

“Captain Angil what have you found out?” Evia asked as one of her Captains approached her.

 

“They are deserters.” He told her as he bowed to her.  “They say they have known the way Rossi has been acting for some time now and when they got word about what happened to Nalia people started running.”

 

“Can we trust them?” Nick asked more to himself than to the others around him.

 

“I am not sure, Queen Mela is amongst them.” The Captain said and Nick’s head snapped towards him.

 

“Mela is here?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes sir, and if her appearance is any indication on the truth she speaks than they are here to seek refuge.” Captain Angil replied and Nick didn’t like what he meant by that.

 

“Where is she?” Evia asked catching Nick’s look.

 

“In my tent.” The Captain replied as he held out his arm and pointed them in the direction.  Evia and Nick made there way to the Captain’s accommodations, looking around him Nick saw many Dwarves hurt and being tended to by the soldiers of Kalica.  He did not look away when they made eye contact but they looked away from him and Nick wasn’t sure if it was because they were all a lie, sent here by Rossi to trick Nick or were they saddened by what had happened to their people betrayed by their own King.  When Nick walked into the Captains tent he saw Mela laying on a bed, her face was badly bruised and cut, her dress was torn and dirty and she did not look well at all.  Slowly Nick walked over to her, his mind still unsure what was going on, truth or lie? Fact or Fiction he did not know but he was going to find out.

 

“Mela?” Nick spoke and the Dwarf woman slowly opened her eyes.

 

Nickolas.” She replied with a light smile and then it fell into a frown.  “I am so sorry about Nalia, I tried…” She stopped and took a deep breath. “I tried to stop them, to stop him but I do not know what is wrong with Rossi or Dolun.”

 

“Who did this to you?” Nick asked he still wasn’t buying her story yet.

 

“Rossi.” Mela said as she took another deep breath.  “When one of his men came in and told him you had rescued Nalia he became very angry, thought I had tipped you off and well, I woke up on the ship with Barco by my side.”

 

“Barco’s here?” Nick said a little stunned Rossi’s Commander was here.  “Where is he?”

 

“Tending to his wounded sir, I have an eye being kept on him.” The Captain said.

 

Nick felt like he was back in the cave on his way to Ashmourn when it was just him and Nalia, being torn left and right at the same time, being pulled up and down, and the confusion of not knowing what was real and what wasn’t.  Was this the truth, is it Rossi being controlled and not all the Dwarfs or is this still some sick trick for Rossi to get close to Nick.

 

Nick sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair.  “Take Mela to the Springs and anyone else that needs it, I will inform Alex and get some extra guards down there, everyone else take them to Kalica until we can find out if this is a trick or not.”

 

“Trick?” Mela replied softly.  “This is no trick Nickolas.”

 

“Whether you are on the side of the Demons or not Mela, you know how I feel about being lied too.” Nick said as he looked at the woman who was his Mother, is his Mother.  “Especially by my parents, so please forgive me if I’m not being overly friendly right now.”

 

“I understand.” Mela replied with a nod.

 

Nick turned to Evia. “I need to go see Alex and Rayne…”

 

“Rayne?” Mela said a little shocked.  “So it is true.”

 

“That she is alive?” Nick replied turning around.  “Yeah”

 

“But how?” Mela asked.

 

“We think she got out before the Castle collapsed and hid somewhere until she was strong enough to move.” Nick told her, the same story AJ told him to tell people.

 

“I see” Mela replied. Nick stared at her a moment her reaction to the news could have been taken either way. 

 

“I will meet up with you in Winnol.” Evia told him.

 

“Be careful, I do not trust this yet.” Nick replied.  He then leaned in closer to Evia and whispered.  “She is acting like she does not remember Ashmourn at all and I know that is a lie.” Evia nodded as she looked at him in agreement.  Nick took one last look at Mela and then walked out of the tent over to the carriage.  He told the driver to take him back to Kalica.

 

 

 

AJ sat at his desk in his meeting room, the sound of the waterfall outside echoed through out his room through the open doors behind him.  He stared at the orders that he had signed only moments ago that sent his spies to Tokia.  His mind wondered to when he first came here, how desperate everyone was, they all thought they were at their last desperate attempt to save themselves, and it worked.  AJ and Nick were brought back, Ignis was defeated and the truth was revealed or so they all thought but after Ashmourn and what they had all learned afterwards, AJ knew this War was far from over. 

 

A chirping sound broke him from his thoughts and looked over his shoulder to his balcony, a small robin like bird chirped at him again and it caused him to lightly chuckle to himself.  Slowly he stood up and walked over to the balcony railing and looked over.

 

“Are you spying on me?” He asked with a light smile as he looked down at Rayne.

 

“Perhaps” She replied as she looked up at him.  “Hiding in the bushes, is not my thing, as you would say.”  AJ’s smile faded a little, he had been busted.

 

“You knew I was there?” He asked.

 

“Alexander.” Rayne sighed with a light smile.  He knew it was a dumb question and he knew it was kind of dumb hiding on her in the first place.  If the bushes hadn’t told her he was there than him just being there did.  She could feel him like he could feel her, sense her.

 

“I just wanted to make sure you were ok.” He replied looking at her.

 

“Well I am fine.” She told him as she sat down on the grass.  With a sigh AJ teleported himself down a story and popped up beside her and she quickly looked up at him but not startled.

 

“Are you sure because you’d be the last one I thought I’d see walk away from Pixca like that.” AJ said as he sat down beside her.

 

“Do you think I am that blind?” Rayne asked.

 

“What? Blind?” AJ replied confused.

 

“You think I would follow her without question even though she has helped you, Nickolas and I but will not help Nalia?” She said as she looked into his eyes. “She is proving to be distrustful so clearly, yet you think I would still follow.”

 

“No, no that’s not what I meant Rayne, I just meant…” He stopped and tried to find the words before it made him look guilty.

 

“I am not some puppet she can use to play what ever game she’s playing.” Rayne said to him and he looked back at her.  He started to wonder if these words were really meant for him.  “She has the power to bring me back, to change me, to speak to Nickolas in his mind, and to create everything that is here, yet she can not and will not give Nalia her sight back, why?”

 

“I wish I knew Rayne.” AJ said with a sigh.

 

“Everything we have done, the people we have lost, and it is still not enough.” Rayne said quietly.  “Have we even won this War?”

 

“Yes” AJ replied.  “When me and my friends got here this place was very close to becoming Ignis’s but we stopped him, we got Kalica back, we got your Mother back, and we brought peace back to the lands.” He told her as he took her hands.  “We found out the truth and we closed the gate, you closed the gate, now we’re just cleaning up the mess that was left behind.”

 

“But how come it feels like she is hiding more, there is more to come?” Rayne asked.

 

“I don’t know beautiful but if there is more to come we will be ready for it and we’ll be ready for whatever secrets she still hides from us.” He told her.  “We’ll get through this; Nalia will get through it, with or without Pixca.”  Rayne lightly smiled as she placed her hand on the side of his cheek, they both leaned in and gently kissed for a moment.

 

“There you two are.” Nick said from above them, they both pulled apart and looked up towards the balcony of AJ’s meeting room.  “When you two are done sucking face wanna come up here, something came up.” Nick spoke with a sarcastic smile.

 

“I’ll kick his ass after we find out what’s going on.” AJ told Rayne as he helped her stand up.  She lightly smiled and then started to laugh as he took her by the arm and teleported them up to his meeting room.

 

Chapter 8 by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

 

                                                              Chapter Eight

 

Rayne knocked on the door to Nalia’s room and waited for a servant to answer but she wasn’t too surprised when Bussa answered the door.  She had come to Kalica after meeting with Nick and Alex at the Healing Springs where Mela was, now Alex and Nick were making plans for the Tokia Refugee’s.  Not wanting to stick around and listen to all the things the Dwarves were doing to this place she decided to go see her friend, someone she hadn’t spent much time with since she had returned. 

 

“Is she awake?” Rayne asked.

 

“Yes she is.” Bussa replied with a smile and let her in.  When Rayne looked over at Nalia’s bed she frowned for a second when she saw her sitting up against some pillows, the blankets draped across her and the white silk bandage across her eyes.

 

“Who is it Bussa?” Nalia asked as she looked in their direction.

 

“It is me.” Rayne replied as she stepped towards the bed.

 

“Rayne.” Nalia smiled.  “Still good to hear your voice, even though I can not see how alive you are.”

 

“I am sorry I have not been by much…”

 

It is alright things are very busy.” Nalia replied.  “I just wish I could do something besides sit here.”

 

“You need your rest.” Rayne told her as she sat down beside her on the bed.

 

“You sound like Nick.” Nalia teased with a sigh.  “How is he doing?” She asked. “Honestly.”

 

“He is doing well under the circumstances, he seems to be focused on figuring out what is going on with Rossi and getting you better.” Rayne told her.

 

“Sounds better than when he is with me.” Nalia said sadly.

 

“What do you mean?” She asked.

 

“Besides the fact that he can not look at me without crying?” Nalia replied.

 

“He is very worried for you.” She told her.

 

“I know” Nalia said with a sigh.  “He has not been around much, at least when I am awake and I know he has much to do with dealing with Rossi and Tokia, the people there need him but I need him too.  Even when he is here I miss him.”

 

“Miss him?” Rayne replied a little puzzled.

 

“I miss waking up and seeing him, I miss turning a corner and seeing him, I miss opening my eyes after a kiss and seeing him.” Nalia told her as she looked down.  “I miss his silly smile when he made a joke that he knew I would not understand and his eyes, oh Rayne how I miss them.”

 

“Nali…” Rayne spoke sadly.

 

“The first time I saw him was when they were bringing me into the Springs from Kalica, I was coming in and out of it and I looked up and saw him, saw his eyes looking at me with concern and worry but he did not know me.” Nalia told her.  “I saw the strongest bluest eyes I had ever seen looking back at me and they told me he was something special, something amazing…” She stopped talking and looked towards Rayne.  “And I miss them so much because I need them to tell me it’s going to be ok.”  Rayne’s face fell in sadness as her friend started to cry, she pulled Nalia into her arms and held her, telling her words she knew were empty.

 

“It is going to be ok Nalia.”

 

“Can I ask you a question?” Nalia said as she pulled away from her friend.

 

“Of course.” Rayne replied wondering what she wanted to know.

 

“Do you think Nick and I have what you and Alex have?” Her friend asked and it kind of took Rayne by surprised.

 

“What makes you ask that?” Rayne wondered.

 

“I do not know.” Nalia sighed.  “Perhaps it is just because of everything that has happened, on top of the fact he and I have been fighting since Ashmourn…”

 

“Please tell me you do not blame him as well.” Rayne quickly spoke up.

 

“No, no.” Nalia replied shaking his head.  “well he does think that but it is not true, I just did not agree with the way he acted towards Alex, he was so lost without you Rayne and he needed time but Nick was determined to keep going.”  Nalia picked at the blanket she held in her hand.  “I know the girls on Earth are very different than us and he was hurt by them a lot, Alex too but he has been here a while now and every time someone mentions marriage he either turns it into some big joke or ignores the question completely.  Maybe he does not love me like I love him and feels he needs to be here with me because we are Guardians.”

 

“Nalia you know that is not true.” Rayne said sadly.

 

Then Nalia’s attitude changed and she growled in frustration as she put her head in her hands. “I know, he could not have saved me from Uldice if he did not love me.  The spell he used, I have never heard nor seen it before, there were hundreds of skeletons, at least I think they were skeletons, all I could hear were bones breaking and clacking together and Rossi’s men were screaming in terror about them.”

 

“There is much we do not know about Warlocks; he is the only one who has been able to withstand the isolation.” Rayne said.

 

“When I was in the room I heard them bring him in, I did not know it was him at first, and it took him a bit to come too.  When he saw me, saw what they had done to me…” Nalia paused remembering how angry Nick was, the scream he let out as his anger and rage released from him.  “Something happened, I do not know what but I could feel this wave of hate and emptiness maybe even death flow past me like a river and I know it was going all to him.”

 

“Like when he would drain those demons in Ashmourn?” Rayne asked.

 

“Yes, like that but this wasn’t coming from demons, what ever it was, was coming from the mountain itself and he was pulling it all in.” Nalia told her as the two sat talking.  “His scream was filled with nothing but rage.  I was terrified something had happened to him but then he picked me up told me he was getting me out and the last thing I remember was the sound of the door breaking from the hinges.”

 

“We found you two outside, I had a Snow Hawk scouting, Nick saw it and flagged it down, and he looked like death worn over when we got to you and him.  I am not sure how long you guys were out there but he gave you his coat and he was almost blue when we arrived, shaking like a leaf on a Winsk tree.”  Rayne told her.  “Alex told me that Nick has been very worried about you, worried about your future.  I know he loves you as much as Alex loves me but Nick and Alex are two different people although they have been hurt the same way.”

 

“I know” Nalia sighed.  “As I said he could not have done what he did at Uldice if he did not, I just worry he will not see me like he use too, I am not a strong Warrior anymore.”

 

“Yes you are.” Rayne told her as she took her friends hand.  “You are the strongest Warrior, you are a Guardian Nalia it can not be taken away from you, and we will figure something out, we will find a way.”  A small smile broke from Nalia’s lips but the sound of the door flying open and Nick storming into the room caused it to retreat. 

 

“Oh, hi.” Nick said when he looked up and saw Rayne sitting on the bed with Nalia.

 

“Is everything alright Nick?” Nalia asked.

 

“Yeah, it’s fine.” He replied as he walked over to his desk.  Rayne looked at her friend and saw the reaction on her face.

 

            “I will go now; I need to see Alex about dinner.” Rayne said with a smile as she lightly squeezed Nalia’s hands.

 

“He’s still in Winnol.” Nick spoke up and Rayne looked at him.

 

“Alright” She replied as she stood up.  “Get some rest.” She told Nalia before she left.

 

Nalia sat on the bed under the blankets listening to the noise being made.  She could tell there were papers being tussled around and they were coming from the direction of their desk.  Slowly she slipped out from under the blankets and carefully put her feet down on the floor.  Getting her bearings she started to make her way towards the desk, using the bed and its post as a guide.

 

“Nalia what are you doing?” Nick asked as she shuffled her way across the room trying to remember where the table that tripped her last time was.

 

“Coming to see you.” She replied as she heard the soft squeak of his chair being pushed back.

 

“Than you could have asked and I would have come over.” Nick said as she felt him beside her.  Then his hand rested on the small of her back and he began to turn her around.

 

“Is everything alright?” She asked as he walked her back over to the bed.

 

“Yeah everything’s fine; you just get back in bed and get some rest.” Nick told her.

 

“No” She replied as she stopped moving and put out her arm against his chest.

 

“Nalia.” Nick sighed.

 

“Tell me what has you so upset, why did you come storming in like you did?” She asked as she looked in his direction.

 

“You don’t need to worry about it right now.” Nick replied as he tried to get her back into the bed.

 

“Damn it Nickolas!” Nalia shouted and pushed him away.  She couldn’t tell what expression was on his face but she knew shock was in there somewhere.  When she turned away from him she reached out, her hand grabbed the bed post and she began to walk over to her dresser.  Putting on her robe she tried to picture the room and where she wanted to go next.  Slowly she made her way towards the doors that led to the upper floor of her Mothers meeting chambers.

 

“Nali, where are you going?” She heard Nick say as she heard his footsteps coming towards her.

 

“I am going to see someone who will talk to me.” She replied as he took her arm and she quickly pulled it away.  “You want to treat me like a child fine but I am still a Guardian and…”

 

“Fine you want to know what’s going on, Mela is dying.” Nick snapped at her.  That stopped Nalia dead in her tracks and she turned around.

 

“Dying?” Nalia replied shocked and confused.

 

“There was a Tokia ship that ran ashore to the North West, I went with your Mom to check it out and the boat was filled with people running from Rossi, including Mela and Barco.  She was in really bad shape when we got there and I sent her to the Healing Springs, the Priests there said she hasn’t got much time left and…” Nick stopped and she wasn’t sure what he was doing.  He made no noise but she continued to walk in the direction his voice came from. “…and I…”

 

“Nick?” Nalia said as her hand felt his arm and she rested it there.

 

“And I don’t know if I can trust her.” Nick finally spoke up.  “What if she is telling the truth and Rossi did that to her because of me.”

 

“You?” She replied a little confused.

 

“I asked Mela what had happened, she told me that when Rossi found out I got you out of Uldice he blamed her and he started hitting her and when she woke up she was on the ship with Barco.” Nick told her.  “And even if she was lying why would he do that to his own wife just to get to me?”

 

“I do not know what is going through Rossi’s head.” Nalia replied quietly.  It was a question she had asked others and herself many times since Nick got her out of Uldice.  Why was Rossi acting the way he was.  “What does your heart say?”

 

Nick scoffed and sighed.  “My heart says she’s not lying and I should be there with her right now but it’s been wrong before so can I really trust it.”

 

Nalia stood there in the silence, it was something she was trying to get use too but then she heard the quiet whimpers of the man beside her.  A frown broke from her face as she gently and lovingly squeezed his arm.

 

“Nick?” She spoke and waited for an answer but the only answer she got was him pulling her into his arms.  Not saying anything more she slipped her hands around his back, rested her head on his shoulder and let him cry as they stood in their room.

 

“I feel like were back in the cave at Ashmourn, being pulled in all kinds of directions and I don’t know where to go.” He told her through his tears.  “They were one of the reasons I stayed, I wanted a second chance at having parents who cared about me but even here that is falling apart.  They lie to me, deceit me and play with my emotions.”

 

“Go see her.” Nalia said as she pulled away from him.  “Go and talk to her, be with her, even if it is a trick, she is still dying and…”

 

Nick interrupted her.  “Will you come with me?” He asked.

 

“Of course.” Nalia replied with a light smile.  Even without her eye sight Nalia could see there was nothing she could do but that, go with him, be with him and stand by him.

 

 

Chapter 9 by VeeLynn

                         The Guardian Crusade

                                           Volume III

                                                                

 

          Chapter Nine

 

Nick walked down a dark damp and small hallway.  The sound of water hitting the floor echoed around him and he slowly made his way towards the light near the end.  If there was an end it seemed like he had been walking for hours.  He called out and his voice echoed, no one answered.  As he got closer to the light he began to hear something at first it sounded like the wind, then it turned into a moan and then an ear piercing scream.  When he got to the end of the hall there was a door blocking him from going any further. Grabbing the knob he gave the door a tug but nothing happened, it was either locked or blocked.  Then he heard the scream again and this time he was close enough to recognize the voice. It was Nalia.

 

“Hello boy!” Rossi shouted at him from the other side of the door.  Nick looked up and a small window had appeared and Rossi was on the other side of it.  “I thought you would enjoy this, hearing her scream.”  When the words left Rossi’s lips Nick looked past him and saw Nalia on a table another Dwarf walked around her. He had an instrument in his hands and he crept over Nalia like a lion stalking his prey.

 

“Let her go.” Nick growled as he pulled on the door, shaking it but it still would not open.

 

“You’ve been a bad boy Nickolas.” Rossi said as he too looked back at Nalia.  “You disobeyed yee Father.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Nick asked as he pulled on the door again.

 

“Ashmourn.” Rossi said.  “You were supposed to change, you were supposed to kill them all but you didn’t listen, and now yee must pay.”

 

“Pay?” Nick replied confused when Rossi turned around.

 

“And how do we punish children who do not listen?” Rossi asked as he stopped and stared at Nalia.  “We take away their toys.” He spoke again as he looked over his shoulder at Nick.

 

Nick thought about Rossi’s words as he watched the other Dwarf lift the sharp instrument to Nalia.  “No.” Nick pleaded quickly as he tugged hard on the door.  “No please, Rossi don’t!” Nick yelled as he frantically pulled at the knob trying to get the door free.  His head snapped up when he heard Nalia scream, a scream that made him feel sick to his stomach. “NO!” Nick screamed as the tears began to pour from his eyes as he watched the blood pour from Nalia’s.

 

“Stop!” Nick screamed as he sat straight up.  He looked around in a panic state and slowly started to realize it was only a dream, well sort of.

 

“Nickolas?” Mela’s weak voice broke the silence and he looked over at her.  She was laying on one of the beds in the resting room and he was a little relieved to see her still alive.

 

“I’m sorry had a nightmare.” Nick replied as he got up from one of the beds he stole.

 

“About Nalia?” She asked as he walked over to her but he didn’t answer her.  “I am so sorry about what happened, if I had known he was going to take it that far.”

 

“Why did it happen? Why are things happening like this, what is wrong with him?” Nick asked as he stared at the woman lying on the bed.

 

“I can only assume it is because of Ashmourn.” Mela sighed weakly.  “There seems to have been a line drawn, people who remember what happened at Ashmourn all those years ago during the War with the Humans of Kalica and then there are the ones like your Fath…like Rossi and Dolun, they remember much more but they keep to themselves.”  Mela started coughing and Nick quickly helped her adjust the pillows under her head.

 

“When did Rossi start to change?” Nick asked as he sat back down.

 

“I first notice something after you and the others killed Ignis but it wasn’t until you started asking questions about Ashmourn that he really changed.” Mela told him.  “He became angry and agitated and the more you asked about it the worse he got.  Then he began to go off to these meetings that would last days, I guess he was going to Uldice.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Nick asked it seemed like all he had for her were questions.

 

“I did not know how too.” She replied.  “I know you are still adjusting to Rossi and I being your parents but to me you are my son, the one I gave birth too and the one that was taken away from me.” Nick noticed the anger in her weak voice.  Did she realize Rossi had lied and sent Nick away to help Ignis’s cause.  “when you told me about the problems you had with your parents on Earth, I could not bare to see you go through that again, nor did I want you thinking I was apart of it but I know now it did not matter because of what Rossi has done, you do not trust me anyways.”

 

“Mela, I…” He paused as his words got tangled in his throat.

 

“It is alright Nickolas, I understand and I would not want you lying to me just to appease a dying Dwarfs heart.” Mela told him as she took her hand.  “We are Dwarfs and we do not lie, well at least that is how it used to be.” She said sadly as she closed her eyes and began coughing again.  When she calmed her breathing stayed heavy and there was a wheeze to it.

 

“I should go get the Priest.” Nick said as he stood up.

 

“No” Mela told him as she held onto his hand.  “Please stay.” Nick lightly smiled as he sat back down.  “If you do not trust me or even Barco just please remember those people that were on that boat are innocent, they do not agree with what happened to Princess Nalia and when they made their voices heard Rossi punished them and there are still more fleeing as we speak.  These are your people too and they will fight with you, do what you must and free Tokia from the chains it now wears.”

 

“I will Mela I promise.” He told her. “I’ll find out what he’s up too and then I’ll make him pay, for what he’s done to Nalia, to you and to Tokia.” Nick thought as he watched Mela’s chest go down for the last time.

 

 

 

A sudden movement beside him jerked him from his sleep and as his eyes fluttered opened he saw Rayne sitting up in bed.  Her hair hung down her bare back, he could tell her breathing was jagged and as he sat up he realized she was crying.

 

“Rayne?” He said as he pulled her hair away and saw her head in her hands.  “What’s wrong?”

 

“Mela” She sobbed.

 

“Mela?” AJ replied confused.

 

“She’s gone.” Rayne said looking at him.

 

“Gone? How do you know?” AJ asked a little confused.

 

“I felt it.” She told him.

 

“You felt it?” AJ replied still confused.

 

“The loss, like something is missing and I know it is her.” Rayne said trying to explain.

 

“Did you have a dream or something?” He asked as he watched her get out of bed.

 

“No, I just woke up and felt like something was wrong.” She explained as he crawled out of bed as she wrapped a robe around her.

 

“Wait, where are you going?” AJ asked as she headed to the door.

 

“The Springs” She told him as she looked at him.

 

“Then I’m coming with you.” AJ said as he went to his wardrobe.  “If she really is gone than I’m sure Nick is ready to bust some heads.”

 

“What does that mean?” Rayne asked as he walked over to her.

 

“Get really mad and take it out on anyone who is around.” He explained.

 

“Oh, I see” Rayne replied with a nod as she opened the door.

 

The couple made their way down to the Healing Springs and when they walked into the open garden area they saw Nick coming out of one of the caves.  His eyes were red and the look on his face confirmed what Rayne had thought.

 

“What are you guys doing here?” Nick asked as they walked up to him.

 

“Rayne’s learned a new trick.” AJ replied trying to lighten the mood, it didn’t work.

 

“New trick?” Nick said confused.

 

“I could feel the loss of Mela when she passed.” Rayne said quietly.  “We came down to see if it was true or not.”

 

“It’s true.” Nick said as he walked past them and sat down on one of the stone benches.  AJ looked at Rayne as she stood there with her eyes closed; he then looked over at Nick who was rubbing his eyes.  “I need to tell Barco and Nalia.” Nick said standing up.

 

“Wait” AJ said as he hurried over to him.  “Are you ok?”

 

“I don’t know.” Nick replied with an honest look.  “I don’t think she had anything to do with what happened to Nalia, besides not speaking up about Rossi and his actions. With what Barco says and what she told me before she died not all the Dwarves are acting like Rossi is.”

 

“What are we going to do?” Rayne asked.

 

“The spies report in tomorrow right?” Nick asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.

 

“Then we see what they say.” Nick told them.  “Right now, I need to go talk to Barco and Nalia.” He then turned around and walked out of the Springs.

 

“I better go tell Avit and the guys.” AJ said as he looked at Rayne.

 

“I will go let Mother know.” Rayne replied as they left.

 

 

 

The next morning everyone was pretty much quiet.  Nick was in Kalica having breakfast with Nalia and Evia.  AJ and Rayne were having breakfast in Winnol with the guys and their wives.  It was raining in Winnol which wasn’t unusual for the area this time of year but the rain seemed thicker, heavier than usual or perhaps it was just the depress state people were in because of the passing of Mela.

 

“Anyone know how Nick is doing?” Brian asked as everyone sat around eating.

 

“He didn’t say much last night or this morning.” AJ replied.  “And he’s been in Kalica since he left the Healing Springs.”

 

“I can’t believe Rossi is, evil.” Leigh-Anne said sadly.

 

AJ was about to say nothing surprises him in this place anymore but Kevin kicking his shin stopped him from opening his mouth.  He looked at his friend confused and became even more confused when Kevin nodded his head towards Rayne.  AJ turned his head and looked at his wife, she had both hands flat on the table and her breathing was heavy.

 

“Rayne?” AJ said with worry.  “Rayne what’s going on? Rayne what’s wrong?” By now everyone at the table was staring at her. Her eyes showed pain but then there would moments of anger. She never said a word as everyone sat there staring at her. AJ swallowed hard not sure what was happening. “Rayne?” He said again.

 

“Kalica’s under attack.” She finally spoke her eyes not breaking from the table.  Her voice was anger filled with an evil calm.  “Dwarfs.” She whispered.

 

“Nick, Nick is there.” Brian said quickly.

 

“Go” AJ said quickly to Avit and Jaina.

 

“What about you?” Kevin asked.

 

AJ looked at Rayne and then back at them.  “We’ll be there as soon as we can.”

 

“Alex.” Brian said as he stood at the door.

 

“Nick’s a big boy, I need to make sure Rayne is alright.”

 

“Let’s go.” Kevin said as he motioned for the door.

 

AJ turned back around and looked at his Wife.  “Rayne what happened?” Then he realized she can come out of the funk she was in.

 

“It all came so fast.” She whispered.  “So many of them.”

 

“Many of them?” AJ repeated as he started to worry.

 

“The trees, the animals, the people, they were all in distress, and then…” She stopped.

 

“And then what Rayne?” He asked.

 

She looked up at AJ.  “I felt betyal, I felt hurt, pain, anger, and it was all coming from Nick.”

 

“Nick?” AJ replied a little stunned.  “What happened?”

 

“It was a set up, it was all a set up.” Rayne whispered in some what disbelief and shock.

 

“Mela” AJ said as he it started to hit him.  He thought about his friend, all the things back on Earth, the troubles with Rossi but Mela was always there for him. “Do you know if Mela was in on it?”

 

“She was there or is there I think, I think he saw her, I just…I don’t know.” She replied confused.  “It was all so much and I tried to get it all, figure it all out but…”

 

“It’s ok beautiful.” AJ said quickly taking her hands.  “Do you need to lie down or anything?”

 

“No we need to get to Kalica, if not for Nick than for Nalia.” Rayne said to him.

 

“Ok” He nodded as she stood up and helped her stand.

 

 

Chapter 10 by VeeLynn

                                 The Guardian Crusade

                                            Volume III

 

       Chapter 10

 

            Nick sat at the dinning table staring at Nalia as she ate her breakfast.  She was getting better at the morning ritual but she still had some problems and he couldn’t imagine how frustrating it was when all of a sudden you had to relearn how to eat.  A small frown broke from his lips as he looked at the cloth wrap around her eyes.  Her eyes, he missed them, they were chocolate brown like her hair, they showed strength and they showed love, especially when she looked at him.

 

“Even though I can not see I still know you are staring Nick.” She said breaking the silence in the room.

 

“I was just making sure you were ok.” Nick replied.

 

“I think I can handle eating my breakfast.” She said and he heard the bitterness in her tone.

 

“I know” Nick replied as he looked back at his plate. 

 

He sighed to himself, he didn’t know how to act around her.  Did he treat her like nothing was wrong, or did he act like a personal nurse and help her with everything but then what would she think.  If he left her alone would she think he didn’t care anymore, which was the farthest from the truth or would she act bitter and snap at him like she’s been doing the last couple of days.  He didn’t want to upset her he just wanted to be there for her, like she was for him.

 

“I’m sorry.” She replied and he looked at her.  Nalia turned in her chair a little towards him and searched for his hands.  Nick took her hands in his and she wrapped her fingers around his.

 

“Its ok babe I know…” He stopped because he didn’t know.  “I can’t even imagine just how hard this is for you but I want you to know I’m here, you don’t have to be afraid or worry that’ll I will judge you because I won’t, you never did with me.”

 

“You?” Nalia replied confused.

 

“When I was going through all that Warlock crap, you followed me to the end of Kalica and back, you never wavered, always there by my side.” He told her. A small smile broke from the corner of her lips.  “I’m here for you; I’ll always be here for you Nali.”

 

“I…” Just then the doors to the room came flying open and Nick quickly turned around.

 

“What’s going on?” Nick asked as he spun around to see a Kalica guard standing at the end of the table.

 

“We’re under attack, the Queen sent me to get you.” The man said quickly.

 

“Under attack? Who?” Nalia asked.

 

Nick stood there waiting for the man to answer but he knew the answer, his mind knew the answer and once again his heart was wrong.  His fists clenched closed as his teeth pressed against each other so hard it would have given him a headache if he didn’t have one already as his mind screamed at his heart for leading him down this road again. Sadness ripped through his body but before he could react to it, anger filled him, hate filled him and betrayal filled him.

 

“Mela” Nick spoke before the guard had a chance too.

 

“What?” Nalia gasped out.

 

“Yes sir the dwarves we brought in started attacking and then some more came from the west wall.” He told them.

 

“The west wall?” Nalia replied a little confused.  “It was a set up?” Nick closed his eyes when she said the words. 

 

Quickly Nick turned around and took Nalia’s hand.  When he felt her fingers wrap around his he started leading her out of the room.  His mind was racing a mile a minute replaying everything from the time he went with Nalia’s Mom to the crashed ship to the time he said a final goodbye to Mela. There were only a hundred people on that ship so how did they get so many to attack the city and where did the attackers from the west wall come from.

 

“Nick where are we going?” Nalia asked breaking him from his thoughts.

 

“Winnol Globe Room, getting you to safety.” Nick told her.

 

“Nick” She replied as she went to stop but he didn’t and the momentum jerked her forward.  “Nickolas please stop.”

 

“I need to get you out of here.” He replied.

 

“Shall I lend a hand?” Said a voice and Nick spun back around at the direction of the voice.

 

“Nick?” Nalia said and her tone told him she knew who was standing in front of them.

 

“You should have stayed dead.” Nick spoke with hate and anger.

 

“Perhaps or perhaps I was never dead to begin with.” She replied with a sadistic smile.  “No wonder ya Earth parents did what they did, yee are truly gullible Nickolas, and it be proving to be ya down fall.”

 

Without another thought he threw his arm out and sent a shadow bolt flying at her.  Mela brought up her staff and blocked the spell with a laugh.  “Aye Nickolas, you are going to have to do much more than that.”

 

The sound of people charging up the stairs broke both of them from stare down and they both turned to look.  Kalica guards were the first up the stairs Bussa leading the way.  “Looks like you’re surrounded Mela.” Nick said quickly. 

 

“Have you learned nothing?” Mela asked and then she was gone.

 

Quickly Nick closed his eyes and sighed.  “She’s a mage.” 

 

When his mind snapped back he spun around to make sure Mela didn’t teleport behind them.  Everything was clear so he turned to Bussa.  “Take Nali to Winnol, get everyone you can to the Globe room.”

 

“Yes sir” Bussa replied with a nod as he went to reach for Nalia but she pulled away.

 

“I’m not leaving without you.” Nalia said as her head titled towards Nick.

 

“Please Nali don’t fight me on this right now, just get to Winnol where I know you’ll be safe.” He told her with a small plea to his voice.

 

“What about you?” She asked.

 

“I’ll be right behind you I swear, I’m going to go get your Mom and make sure this place doesn’t get over ran with Dwarves.” He said as he led her to Bussa.

 

“Nick!!” He heard someone shout and he looked up.

 

“Nickolas!” He saw Avit shout as he saw the man running towards them with his friends, Kevin was beside him.

 

“This place is under attack.” Nick said as the group walked up to them.

 

“We know, Rayne told us.” Kevin said as Bussa took Nalia around the waist.

 

“Rayne?” Nalia replied confused.  “How did she know?”

 

“She started freaking out at Breakfast and then she told us she felt what had happened.” Kevin told them.

 

“Felt?” Nalia said still confused.

 

“New trick?” Nick asked looking at Kevin.

 

“Must be” Kevin shrugged.

 

“Well either way, I need you guys to help Bussa get the people to Winnol and get Nalia outta here where it’s safe.” Nick told them.

 

“What about you?” Brian asked.

 

“Going to go find Nali’s Mom, I’ll be right behind you.” Nick told them.

 

He called out orders to the guards waiting for them and then when the hallway was clear he made his way to the Globe Room.  He saw the doors close behind the guards; he saw the light flickering like crazy as people after people went through them.  Then after a moment or two there was nothing, just two lonely guards standing outside the door.

 

“Nick where is Nalia?” Eva’s voice said from behind him and he turned around.

 

“She’s gone through the Globe to Winnol.” Nick told her.  “You should head there as well.”

 

“What about the city?” Eva asked.

 

“All the soldiers know what their orders are; you need to get to safety.” He told her.  “I’m sure once Nalia is settled Bussa will come back.”

 

“Alright” Eva said as she picked up the bottom of her dress and headed towards the Globe room.

 

Nick and Eva walked up to the guards outside the doors. “Go and make sure the other Globes are shut off.”

 

“Yes sir” The men nodded and then quickly moved down the hall towards the others.

 

“Ok” Nick said nodding to Eva.

 

“You are coming as well?” Eva asked and Nick just looked at her.  “Nickolas, you can not fight this on your own.” She told him.

 

“You better get going, tell Nalia I’ll be right there.” Nick said as he looked back when there was a commotion down the hall.

 

“Nickolas I will not lie to her.” Eva said.

 

“Eva, I will be right behind you.” He said but they both knew it was a lie.

 

Eva put her hand on the Globe and as the smoke rose and swallowed the Queen of Kalica she disappeared.  Nick reached into his pocket and pulled out the key.  He looked at it and then looked at the Globe knowing Nalia was safely on the other side. He stuck the key into the pedestal and shut the Globe down.  “Sorry Nali.” Nick spoke softly as he pulled the key out and then ran out of the room.

 

Nick ran up to the balcony over looking the large entrance area of the palace. “Come on Mela I know you’re here!” He yelled as he looked down both hallways and then down to the foyer.  “Come on Mela!!” He screamed wanting to confront her on everything, why, why did they lie, why did they trick everyone into thinking they were fun, cheerful people, why did they trick him, why did they hurt him, why…

 

“Why, why, why!?!?!” Nick screamed his tears apparent but his eyes showed nothing but hate.

 

“Hey!” Someone shouted from behind him and he spun around.  “Why did you turn the Globe off?” AJ said as he stood a few feet away from him.

 

“Go back Winnol AJ.” Nick said as he moved away from his friend and headed down the stairs. He forgot all the time AJ could do that and he wasn’t in the mood to here his speech about rushing into things.

 

“Well if you’re going to go look for her at least let me go with you.” AJ said following him.

 

“What you’re not gonna yell and freak out about how I’m rushing into things?” Nick said as he reached for the palace door.

 

“Rushing? Why would you be rushing, this city is under attack? And I don’t want Nalia to lose her home again as much as you do.” AJ replied and Nick looked at him.  “Relax dude not gonna bust your balls just wanna make sure you got some back up.”

 

“Fine” Nick said as he opened the door.  He heard AJ snicker a little behind him but he ignored it and walked out into the city. 

 

“Nalia told Rayne that Mela isn’t dead or wasn’t dead, the ones you took in started to attack and then there’s a bunch more attacking from the west.”

 

“Kevin said something about Rayne knowing already that’s why everyone showed up.” Nick said.  “How did she know?”

 

“She can sense everything living; I guess it’s the Dryad part of her? I’m still a little confused on it but she could sense trouble, bad trouble.” AJ replied.

 

“I don’t get it.” Nick said stopping and looking at him. “Where did the ones from the west come from?” He asked.

 

“Hell if I know, I’ve only ever been down South here.” AJ shrugged.

 

            “Haha, funny.” Nick said rolling his eyes.

 

“Well its true dude.” AJ replied back with a duh look.

 

“Prince Nickolas!” Someone shouted from the east side of the street and they both stopped and looked.  They saw a Bussa’’s second in command Lawrence running at them.

 

“What’s going on Lawrence?” Nick asked.  He liked Lawrence, he was around his age and not as up tight as Bussa was.

 

“We have them at the West wall sir; most of the ones who were rescued are dead or met up with the attackers at the wall.” He told him as he stopped in front of him. 

 

“Have you seen Mela?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes sir, commanding the West wall attackers.” The man nodded.

 

“Damn it” Nick huffed as he looked at AJ.  “Well let’s go.”

 

The three men took off down the cobble stoned road towards the West wall gates.  So that is where she went, not even bothering to stick around and answer his questions.  It angered him the more he thought about it.  This place was different, this place wasn’t supposed to turn into this; maybe it was him after all.

 

“Aye Nickolas good of ya to join us!” Mela shouted as she stood on top of the gate.

 

“Why Mela, why go through all of this, why lie to everyone for years!” Nick yelled but he was interrupted.

 

“We did not haveta lie, everyone had forgotten, till the likes you two came along.” Mela yelled as she pointed her staff at them.  Nick had seen it once before, the large purple gem on top, the carvings along the shaft, he wondered if AJ had one, because the one Adamai had, had nothing on hers.

 

“So you did remember.” AJ shouted from beside him.

 

“Yes, yes we all remembered!” She yelled.  “It was our gift for destroying the tree, the only problem was that stupid Ignis, ruining everything, that was not what the Old ones wanted.”

 

“Old ones?” Nick and AJ both replied.

 

“The Old ones are looking for their run away.” Mela told them.  “They sent a hunter to find her but the fool wanted this place for himself, so when he saw an opening he took it, and her before the others could get through the door but one did get through, one we’ve kept protected, the one that gave us back our memories, when the greedy hunter took them away.”

 

“I don’t care about that, why…why did you lie to me, you were…you were…you were my Mom.” Nick said.

 

“Aye and look yee can barely say it.” Mela yelled.  “Ya are such a disappointment Nickolas, yee never did what ya were told, ya were supposed to go back to Ashmourn and when yee found Pixca, ya were supposed to kill her!”

 

“What?!” Nick replied shock.  “It was Pixca that was talking to me.”

 

“Aye, we let her lead ya there, the Hunter wouldn’t let us near the place, he hated that he had to share this place with us but he knew about the other, our Old one will do what the Hunter could not, would not do and that was kill the trader, the one that took the Old ones world from them.”

 

Then before Nick could respond there was a loud crash and the sky, the area around them erupted into light.  Both Nick an AJ fell to the ground and took cover.  Nick could hear people yelling in confusion but he notice there were no shouts of pain.  Slowly he lifted his head to look around and saw dust and smoke everywhere but nothing was on fire and there was no wind.

 

“I knew that bitch was hiding something.” AJ said beside him and Nick looked at him.

 

“Huh?” Nick replied confused.

 

“That whole speech? The trader the one that these Old ones or what ever the fuck they are, are chasing…its Pixca.”

 

“There gone sir, all off them gone.” Someone yelled to Lawrence from one of the towers.

 

“Perfect.” Nick sighed.

 

“That’s one hell of a teleport” AJ replied.

 

“No, it was just a smoke screen.” Lawrence replied.

 

Then out of the blue it hit Nick outta no where what AJ was talking about. “Pixca is one of them? Like those Demon dudes? The one at the Castle in Ashmourn.”

 

“Yes” AJ nodded.  “The bitch has been lying the whole time, making up some stupid Guardian shit an epic journey my ass!” AJ blurted out.

 

“But wait why did she give the Guardians power than?” Nick asked.

 

“Hell if I know, we better get back and let the girls know and then we can get Rayne to call her out or something, hell I’ll call her out myself, if she is even a she.” AJ replied.

 

“Yeah, been meaning to talk to her myself.” Nick said thinking about Nalia, this Pixca better not be playin’ him too, the things he did for her, the friendship he almost lost over her.  He wanted answers and he wanted them now. Looking up he saw AJ walking back towards the Palace.

 

“Hey! Where are you going let’s just teleport?” Nick yelled to him.

 

“Ya gotta turn the Globe back on douche!” AJ shouted back not even looking at him as he kept walking.

 

“Oh, shit, yeah” Nick said scratching his head really quick and then jogging over to catch up with AJ.

Chapter 11 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

  Chapter 11

           

            “The old ones?” Rayne replied confused after Nick had got done telling her and Nalia what went down in Kalica.

 

“We’re being lied too.” AJ said as his fingers strummed along the table.

 

“Lied to? Why would Pixca lie to us?” Rayne said looking at him.

 

“She’s lied about everything else, she made herself out to be some great creator but really she’s just one of them.” AJ replied.

 

“I still can not fathom that she is a demon.” Nalia spoke up.

 

AJ looked over at Rayne; she sat quietly staring at the table.  “Beautiful are you alright?” He asked but she didn’t answer him.  “Rayne?”

 

“Pardon?” She replied looking up at him.  “Oh, yes I’m fine, just thinking.” She said with a light smile.

 

“I just do not understand.” Nalia spoke.

 

“We need answers.” Nick said looking at AJ.

 

“Well there’s only one place to get them.” He replied.

 

Nick, Nalia and AJ got up from the table and headed out the doors but AJ stopped when he realized Rayne was not with them.  “Go to the park, we’ll meet ya there.”  The two nodded in agreement and headed down the hallway, AJ went back into the meeting room and saw Rayne still sitting in her chair staring at the table.

 

“Rayne?” AJ spoke as he sat beside her.  She looked up at him.  “What are you thinking about?”

 

“She created us, all of us, she created the Elvanns from the soil of this land, she created the Dwarves from the rocks of the mountains and she created us from the waters of the rivers…she…she” Rayne stopped and he watched as she swallowed hard and closed her eyes.  “She made me.  I died, I had become the Dryad but she brought me back…what does that make me Alex?” She said as she looked at him. 

 

He saw fear in her eyes, sadness in her eyes and confusion in her eyes.  He frowned and reached up touching the side of her face gently.  “You think on your own, you do as you want, you’re still my wife, you’re still a Guardian, and you’re still Queen Rayne of Sarila and Winnol, just with some extra stuff.” He said with a light smile.  “We don’t know all the facts yet, let’s hear what she has to say and go from there.”

 

They both stood up from the table and AJ held the door open for her as they left the meeting room.  They made their way through the castle and out into the city, saying hello and greeting the Elvaan citizens’ as they walked towards the park.  When the couple entered the park they could hear Nick yelling, so they picked up their pace and hurried towards the loud voice.

 

“We want the truth Pixca!!” Nalia shouted at her as AJ and Rayne walked up behind the couple yelling at Pixca.

 

“We deserve that much.” Rayne said as AJ looked beside him at her.  He looked back at Pixca, the Elvaan like woman looked at all for of them and he could tell she was taken a back by the bombardment.

 

“No more lies, no more false stories, how did you end up here, why did you create this place?” AJ asked.

 

“I come from a world of war, a place where lives meant nothing, where I meant nothing, just another body on a battle field.” Pixca told them.  “I made my way up in the ranks and doing so it allowed me to plan my escape.  When I saw the records of all the worlds we had conquered I saw this place.  There use to be life here, there use to be Elvaans, Humans, and Dwarves but they were all killed when my world came rolling through.  They destroyed every last piece of this place and then left never giving it another thought.”

 

“But why lie about it?” AJ asked.

 

“I never thought they would find me.” She then looked at all four of them.  “We call ourselves the Drak’nor, they don’t care where they have been only where they are going.  So I brought this world back, brought back the Elvaans, the Dwarves and the Humans, I found a way to lock this place so they would never get in.”

 

“But what about the Guardians?” AJ asked. 

 

“After I had re created the people of this world, I knew I and it would need protecting, so I took one from each race and took another human, you see Humans are powerful on their own but when you have more than one they can be unstoppable.” She said as Nalia and Rayne looked at each other.  “My first Guardians were, Jamial, Sarsa, Hexal, and Rotosa,” She then paused and AJ saw her eyes went else where for a moment.  She then took a deep breath. “They protected me and this world, with each life cycle new Guardians came and went and then the war started between the Humans and the Dwarves.  The Dwarf Guardian Genua for whatever reason I still do not know, told the dwarves about the tree, how it was more than a symbol, it was a doorway.  The Dwarves destroyed it and that is when the Drak’nor realized where I was.”

 

“It caught their attention?” Nick asked.

 

“Yes” Pixca nodded.  “Ti’Hort came, he was the Hunter sent to find and kill me, when he found Ignis who was furious about the destruction of the tree and the death of Silvnia, he was easy to manipulate, Ignis sided with the humans and began to destroy the Dwarves but then the war ended as quickly as it had started, they retreated back to Tokia with not another mention of what had happened.”

 

“The old one?” Nick asked.  “The old one had taken control of them.” Pixca nodded to him. 

 

“His name is Loki, he was my superior.” She told them.  “I have no doubt he was looking for me as well, I’m sure he almost lost his life when the Drak’nor realized I had found this place, I had ran away, they would see him at fault for it.” She then took a deep breath.  “I did not know he was here until you.” She said looking at Nick.

 

“Me?” Nick replied confused.

 

She nodded.  “As I connected with you, talked to you, I could feel him in you somewhere.” Pixca said.  “After you four had rescued me I realized he must have gotten in and was in hiding.”

 

“Why? Why didn’t they just kill you?” AJ asked.

 

“Power.” Pixca said.  “Imagine how you would feel if you could control an entire world, instead of just destroying it. Ti’Hort he needed me, these were still my people, they were still my Guardians, and he needed my power to manipulate them.”

 

“What about the old one?” Nalia asked.

 

“He was most likely waiting to see what Ti’Hort had done, maybe he thought Ti’Hort had killed me, I do not know.” Pixca said.

 

“Well it looks like he is making a move now.” AJ sighed.  He looked up as he felt someone’s eyes on him and saw Nick staring at him.

 

“Wait a minute.” Rayne finally spoke up and everyone looked at her.  “You said it was Genua that told the Dwarves of the tree.”  Pixca nodded at her.  “But he was with Adamai, Rayxes, and Alia, they tried to stop Ignis. The two went to save the tale.”

 

“The three of them tried to stop Ignis; Genua went along to make sure it didn’t happen.” Pixca told them. 

 

“Just like how they tried to get me too.” AJ heard Nick whisper.

 

““There never was a tale, I would always inform the races when it was time for new Guardians, that was all Ignis’s story. When the four separated, Rayxes and Adamai went after Ignis, Genua and Alia were supposed to go and rescue me.” She told them.  “But it never happened, Genua killed Alia before they even stepped foot into Ashmourn, Ignis trapped Adamai in the cave behind the waterfall and killed Rayxes, Genua, went back to Tokia and stayed with Loki until his death came.”

 

“But what about the statue?” AJ asked

 

“The statue?” Pixca replied and AJ could tell she was confused.

 

“Yeah it’s how we figured out how to find you, or that it was you we were looking for.” Nick replied quickly.  “Evil has come, Evil has found the lady he wanted, the lady is bound.  Her Guards they hunted and fought but death was all they caught.  The Lady is trapped stuck in a cage, waiting for the return of her Druid, Lock, Warrior and Mage.”

 

“I…I do not know what that is.” Pixca replied and for the first time AJ actually thought she was being honest.

 

“How do you know all of this if you weren’t even around?” AJ asked. “And when everyone got their memories back how come they didn’t remember this?”

 

“Just like Rayne can read the life aura’s of the people, I can read the aura of this world, and it told me the story.” She said.  “And what the people remember is what they were told at the time, the Dwarves said Genua and Alia were killed trying to save the tale but that was a lie.”

 

“So you lied to everyone to save your own hide.” AJ scoffed.

 

“I could not tell the people who I really was, there would be doubt in their minds and then, if the Drak’nor ever found this place again, they would use it against me, and war would start all over again.” She told them. “The only ones who knew were my Guardians but then Ignis trapped me, changed the memories of the people and told his own story.  Adamai and Rayxes repaired the life thread but do to the secrecy of who I really was and the damage Ignis had already done, the life thread itself had changed.”

 

“So why should we believe you.” Rayne said quickly.  “How do we not know you are not some…some…low life demon just trying to save yourself.”

 

“Would I create this place if I was, would I enjoy watching life live and flourish, would I have brought you back for Alexander if I was?” Pixca said to her.  “ I do not want war or death, I am tired of war and death, it is why I came here.”

 

“Well looks like you don’t have a choice now.” AJ replied.  “If that Loki guy is here and he’s the one controlling the Dwarves we have to do something.” Everyone stopped talking and took a moment when they realized there would be another war.

 

“I have a question.” Nick said breaking the silence.  “Why won’t you give Nalia her site back? You created this place, you brought back its people, you created the warriors, Guardians, and you even brought back Rayne but you won’t help Nali? Why?” Nick asked and AJ could hear the anger in his voice.

 

“I only interfere when I have too.” Pixca told them.  “This place was dead, the people were dead, I brought them back, I needed the Guardians to help protect this place, and I needed Rayne to protect the gateway, the doorway, and I needed You, Nalia and Alexander to protect her, and…” She paused and looked at AJ.  “I needed her because it was only a matter of time before we all lost Alexander as well.”

 

“But…” Nalia started to say and Pixca finished.

 

“But Nalia does not need her eyesight, she is a powerful Warrior, given time, she will become and even greater one.  Yes having her sight would be easier but she does not need it, I know it may sound harsh but it is the truth.”

 

“Well that’s some bullshit right there.” Nick scoffed and AJ couldn’t help but smile a little.

 

“I am sorry.” Pixca said quietly.  “And I hope I am there the day you come face to face with Rossi.”

 

“So what do we do now?” Nalia asked.

 

“I think we should stay in Kalica, I’m betting there will be another attack and we should be there when it happens.” AJ said looking at Nick.

 

“I agree.” Rayne replied with a nod.

 

“I should leave now, I still need much rest from my time in Ashmourn.” Pixca told them.

 

“Nice you go have a snooze while we risk our lives to save your ass.” AJ mumbled and when Pixca’s head snapped to him he realized he wasn’t quiet enough but before she could say anything to him everyone including Rayne had started walking towards the park entrance and he quickly followed, like a child running away from their parent before the scolding began.

 

The four Guardians walked through the city not saying a word, knowing it would be better to speak behind closed doors.  They walked into the castle and made their way upstairs, stopping in the middle of the hallway about to go their separate ways for a moment.

 

“We’ll get our things together and we’ll let the gang know we’re all staying in Kalica for a bit, then when they are ready we’ll hop the globe there.” AJ said to Nalia and Nick

 

“Ok, we’ll head back, get the latest news from Bussa and then get some rooms ready for ya.” Nick replied with a nod.

 

AJ followed Rayne back to their room, he closed the door behind them, and when he turned around he saw her staring out the open window.  “Everything ok Beautiful?” He asked as he walked over to her.  “Is there a bird talking to you or something?”

 

Rayne looked at him and lightly smiled.  “No.” She replied.  “Just thinking about what Pixca said.”

 

“Do you believe her?” AJ asked as he walked over to the bench by the window.

 

“Do you?” She replied.  “You are the one who knew something was going on to begin with.” Rayne said as she followed him to the window.

 

“I think I do.” AJ replied.

 

Just then a bird landed on the windowsill and both AJ and Rayne looked at the little creature.  The bird was looking right at Rayne his head quickly cocking from side to side and then, a gasp from Rayne’s lips brought AJ’s attention to her.

 

“What did it say?” AJ replied not even second guessing what was going on.

 

Rayne just shook her head.  “Impossible.” She whispered and then the bird took off as Rayne jumped up from the bench.

 

“Rayne?” AJ said as she ran across the room, she ripped the door open and it slammed back against the wall.  “Rayne!!” AJ shouted as he quickly got up and ran after her.  When he got out into the hallway he saw her flying down the stairs.  “Damn it woman.” AJ moaned as he took off after her.

 

“Where did she go?” He shouted to one of the guards as he skipped down the steps.

 

“Outside sir.” The men replied as they opened the door up for him.

 

When he got outside he saw her running down the street, and he followed her as best he could.  As she turned down a familiar street he realized she was heading towards the Springs and as he entered the place of healing he heard her yelling.

 

“Let me see him!” She shouted at one of the Priests. 

 

“Please your highness what is the meaning of this?” The Priest asked.

 

“I know he’s in there now let me see him!” She shouted again.

 

“How…” The Priest was cut off.

 

“I am a Guardian that’s how, now you will let me into that room.” She demanded.

 

“Rayne?” AJ said from behind her and the Priest looked up at him.

 

“King Alexander.” The Priest said with a light bow.

 

“What’s going on?” AJ asked him.

 

            “He only arrived a minute ago, some Darlawind fisherman found him, he was sent here once they realized who he was.” The Priest told him.

 

“Who? Who are you talking about?” AJ asked as he looked to Rayne but she was already sneaking past the Priest who was distracted by AJ.

 

When she entered the room AJ pushed past the Priest and followed her.  He walked into the cave and as his eyes adjusted to the light he saw Rayne staring straight ahead of her.  His head turned as he followed her gaze and as he saw the person lying in the healing water, rage rushed through him.  His teeth pressed hard against each other and they made a grinding sound the harder they clinched down.

 

“Im-Impossible.” AJ seethed as he stared at his brother soaking in the water. 

 

 

Chapter 12 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

  Chapter 12

           

           

                AJ walked over to the tub and reached into the water, he grabbed Dyn by the collar of his robe and pushed him down under the water, Dyn struggled against him grabbing his arm trying to rip AJ’s grip from his robe and then his hands started to slip.  They fell in the water beside him and everything on Dyn went limp.

 

“Alex?” He heard Rayne say but he ignored her as he stared at the lifeless body in the water. “Alex?” He blinked and when his eyes opened he saw Dyn still lying in the tub, very much alive. It was only a daydream, wishful thinking on his part.

 

“Where did they find him?” AJ asked as his head slowly turned to the side to look at the Priest.

 

“On the shore, by the Dassilina River on the island side.” The Priest told him.  “He’s very weak the other Priests and I are still trying to figure out how he survived Prince Nickolas’s Drain spell.”

 

“And being dumped into the Ocean.” Rayne spoke up and AJ looked at her, he had forgotten she was there.

 

“Rayne I want…” AJ started to say but he was cut off by the sound of Avit running into the room.

 

“Is it…” Avit started to say as his head turned to look at the man lying in the water. “True.” His voice finished but trailed off.

 

“Has he said anything?” Rayne asked.

 

“No nothing, at first the men thought he was dead but after checking they realized he was breathing.” The Priest told her.

 

“Avit I want you to post guards in here and outside, the minute he wakes up come get me.” AJ said to his General. 

 

“Yes Sir.” Avit replied with a nod.

 

“Rayne?” Dyn’s voice broke through out the room and everyone froze and looked at him. His eyes were locked onto her and AJ didn’t like it.

 

“Who are you?” AJ asked and Dyn looked at him.  The man sitting in the pool looked very confused.

 

“You-You know who I am.” Dyn replied.  “I am Dyn Breezewalker, of Winnol, your brother.” He replied.

 

“No, you are not.” AJ said to him lightly shaking his head.  “Dyn is dead, Nick drained him, we saw him swiveled up and dead, we dumped him into the ocean.”

 

“I-I remember fighting with Nickolas.” He said as his eyes drifted remembering.  “I-I remember all the horrible things I did, I remember giving the man the poison to kill father…” His eyes closed and he began to cry.  AJ looked over to Rayne she was biting her lip as she stared at him.

 

“And do you remember what you did to Rayne?” AJ asked as he looked back to Dyn.  His eyes darted open quickly but he did not look at them. AJ waited for an answer but he didn’t get one.  “Do you Dyn? Do you remember attacking her, do you remember taking her onto the ship, do you remember…”

 

Dyn interrtupted him.  “Stop, please…I-I did not mean to, I do not know why I did it.”

 

“Don’t lie Dyn, you did that on your own you weren’t under the control of Ignis, you yourself chose to attack her.” AJ said his patients wearing thin with him.

 

“I-I swear to you, that was not me, I-I would never hurt Rayne like that.” Dyn said and then he looked at Rayne. “I would never hurt you Rayne; you know this to be true do you not?” He asked.  AJ looked at his wife and she wasn’t looking at Dyn, she looked down at her hands and then she walked out of the room.

 

“Rayne, please…” But it was too late she had already walked out of the cave.

 

“I want eyes on him twenty four seven.” AJ said looking to Avit and his General nodded.  Then he looked at Dyn.

 

“I don’t know who, or what you are but you are not Dyn, I will never believe you are him, he is dead, and thank Pixca for that.” AJ said as he stared at the man and then he too walked out of the room.

 

He saw Rayne sitting on the stone bench across from the cave and walked over to her, she was picking at her nails, which was something very rare for her.  Without saying a word he sat down beside her and took her hand and she quickly looked up at him.

 

“Not very proper for Queen to be picking at her nails.” AJ said with a light smile.  She looked at him and he wondered if her mind went back to when she said something similar to him when he had first arrived.

 

“Must be a habit I picked up from someone.” She replied with a light smile.  He giggled and wrapped his arm around her.

 

“Are you ok?” He asked as she laid her head down on his shoulder.

 

“Yes” She replied as she nodded not moving her head.  “Do you think it is really him?”

 

“I doubt it Rayne, there’s no way he could have survived Nick’s spell and then sinking to the bottom of the ocean.”

 

“But we did not stay to see if he did, Ignis jumped to Nick perhaps that broke the spell and there was still apart of him alive.” She told him.

 

“Rayne” AJ said as he lifted her head.  “I know you care about him.” As he said the words Rayne looked away.  “But he killed Marsa and he tried to…” AJ stopped.  The thought still made him seethe with anger.  “He tried to rape you Rayne.” 

 

“I know” Rayne whispered as she began picking at her nails again. “But his Aura…”

 

“Alex?” Kevin’s voice broke from beside him and AJ looked over at the entrance to the Springs. 

 

“Hey” AJ said as he with a crooked smile as he looked at his friends, Nick and Nalia.

 

“What’s going on?” Nick asked as everyone gathered around them.

 

AJ took a deep breath.  “Dyn” AJ said.  “He’s alive.”

 

“What?!” Nick and Nalia said shocked.

 

“Bullshit, I killed him.” Nick said in disbelief.

 

“Well he’s in that cave right over there.” AJ said nodding to the entrance to the stone room.  “We’re not even sure it’s him, I mean we were there when we dumped him over board but he’s saying he’s Dyn.”

 

“Rayne, what do you think?” Nalia asked as she looked at her best friend.

 

“I do not know what to think.” Rayne replied.  “I just do not know.” She said quietly.

 

“Are you guys coming to Kalica still?” Nick asked.

 

“I think we’re going to hang around here for a day or two, and then we will head over there, just see where this whole Dyn thing goes.” AJ said as he stood up.  He then turned to Rayne.  “I’m going to go talk to Avit, did you want to come?”

 

“No, I think I will walk back to the Castle.” She said as she stood up.

 

“Ok” AJ replied with a nod. 

 

She gave him a light smile, said goodbye to their friends and then left the Springs.  AJ stared at her as she left, wondering what she was thinking about what had just happened.  Taking a deep breath he let out a sigh as he looked back to his friends.

 

“I’m going to go talk to Rayne.” Nalia said to Nick

 

“Ok” Nick nodded

 

“Bussa?” Nalia said to her Cornel as she reached out her hand.  Bussa took her arm and escorted her out of the Springs.

 

“How’s Rayne taking this?” Kevin asked.

 

“Haven’t really had a chance to talk to her we just found out.” AJ told them.

 

“What happened?” Nick asked.

 

“We went to our room to start packing for Kalica and we were sitting at the window talking, this small bird shows up and then Rayne took off for the Springs.  I followed her and when we got here the Priest told us that some fishermen had found him by the Dassilina River.”

 

“Puts a whole new meaning to a little birdie told her.” Nick said trying to lighten the mood but it didn’t work.

 

“Was he in the water?” Kevin asked.

 

“No, on the shore on the island side.” AJ said shaking his head lightly.  “Anyways I’m going to go talk to Avit, you all heading to Hevi now?”

 

“Yeah” Nick nodded.

 

“I’ll swing by later and update you.” AJ said to Nick as his friends starting leaving the Springs.

 

“Alright and remember if ya need me to finish the job, I will.” Nick said looking at the cave entrance.

 

AJ lightly smiled.  “Thanks.” He replied with a light giggle.

 

As his friends and Nick left the Healing Springs AJ headed to the cave.  He saw Avit standing against the stone wall near the entrance and saw Dyn lying in the tub of water.  His General turned and looked at him.

 

“Where is Rayne?” Avit asked.

 

“She went back to the Palace.” AJ told him.

 

“How is she?” He asked.

 

“Confused.” AJ replied.  “I’m going back there too; we’re going to delay the trip to Kalica a couple of days until we figure out what’s going on.”  AJ looked at Dyn, he was awake and staring at the wall beside him.  “Anything new?”

 

“No, he has been quiet the whole time I have been here.” Avit said with a light shake of his head as he looked over at Dyn.

 

 

 

Nick sat in front of Eva’s desk as Nalia’s Mom went over the final reports from the attack led by Mela.  “So what’s the word?” Nick asked.

 

“Word?” Eva asked looking up.

 

“What’s going on?” Nick replied with a light smile. 

 

“Oh right.” Eva said with a light smile.  “You know the two of you have been here over a year now, it is interesting you still talk like you did back on Earth.”

 

“I’ve notice AJ has been changing a little but me I’m just lazy when it comes to words.” Nick replied with a shrug and Eva smiled.

 

“Well the wall is almost finished being rebuilt but I do not understand why we have not found any type of camp around the city.” She sighed.

 

“They gotta be hiding somewhere. Do you think it’s magic?” Nick asked.

 

“It could be, perhaps we shall talk to Alexander, see if he can pick up anything.” Eva said as she put the report down.  “Has he reported in yet?”

 

“Nope” Nick said shaking his head.  “I can’t believe the dude is still alive.”

 

“Do you think it is him”? Eva asked.

 

“Hell if I know.” Nick replied with a shrug.  “But if it is we’re about to have one very pissed off Elvaan mage.”

 

“Yes, I would bet Alexander would not be happy about it.” Eva said with a light nod.

 

Just then second in command Lawrence came in, he nodded hello to Nick and then walked over to Eva to discuss the army’s next move.  As the two talked Nick’s eyes wondered up to the door that led to his and Nalia’s bedroom.  He wondered if she was in there sleeping or if she was out with the girls.  Sighing, he hoped she was out with the girls, wanting her start trying to get back to normal.  He hated seeing her so sad and depressed.  When they first meet she was so full of life, she was strong and courageous and now, well now she was a mere shell of what she use to be, not that he could blame her.

 

He looked back at Eva and Lawrence and they were still talking, so he stood up from his chair.  “I’m going to go see Nalia, I’ll let you know if Alex comes by.” He said as Eva looked up at him.

 

“Alright” She replied with a light smile and then returned her attention back to Bussa’s second in command.

 

Nick walked up the stairs and opened the door to their room, when he walked in he saw the curtains to the bed were drawn which most likely meant she was sleeping. He walked over to the bed and gently pulled back the curtains.  A smile broke across his lips when he saw her sleeping under the puffy covers.  Undoing his robe and taking it off, he climbed under the blankets with her.  He wrapped his arm around her and she mumbled tossing a little.

 

“Nali?” He whispered as he brushed her hair away from her face.

 

“Mmm?” She mumbled as she started to wake up.  The cloth that covered her eyes slipped as she moved her head and before Nick could even react she sat straight up and grabbed it.

 

“Nali” Nick said with a small frown.

 

“I need to tighten it.” She said quickly.

 

“Here” He said reaching up for it.

 

“No” She snapped quickly. “Just wait.”

 

“Nali” He repeated taking her hand.  “I don’t care.”

 

“You don’t care?” She scoffed.  “I most likely look horrid although I do not know because I can not see.” She said bitterly.

 

“You can’t wear that thing forever babe” Nick said with a sigh.  Nalia said nothing.  He took her hands and kissed the back of them.  “I don’t care Nali, I really don’t, and I’m not going to think you’re ugly or anything like that.”

 

“Well maybe not you but others will.” Nalia spoke quietly.

 

“So who cares what other people think.” Nick said.  “You’re a Guardian, if they saying anything you can beat the shit outta them.”

 

“Nick” Nalia sighed.  “I can not beat anything if I can not see it.”

 

“You know back on Earth, there are a lot of blind people who can do amazing things, things that people who can see can’t do.”  He told her.  “They use their ears, they use their senses and I know you can do the same thing.”  When she didn’t say anything he kept talking.  “Pixca is right, you’re a Guardian, you can get through this and I will be by your side every day to make sure you do.”  Her head fell but he placed two fingers under her chin and lifted it.  “I promise you’ll get through this.”

 

He leaned in and pressed his lips to hers.  At first he noticed she was taken back by it but then slowly she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back.  Gently he laid her down back against the pillows and pulled the blankets around them.  As their tongues flicked against each others, he slowly began to unbutton her robe, and let it fall to her sides as his lips drifted down her neck.

Chapter 13 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

  Chapter 13

           

Nick sat on the grass at the Hevi training fields, his legs were stretched out in front of him, his arms stretched out behind him, his body resting on his hands.  He watched Nalia as she went through some basic sword techniques but his mind was on the night before.  It had been a while since they had made love. The tension between them after Rayne dying, then her being kidnapped by Rossi and then the tragic attack on her by his Father; he wondered if they would ever be together like that again.  He wondered everything that had happened would be too much for them and it would split them apart but after last night, his fears were put to rest.  He smiled when she spun around and thrusted the sword into the haystack, a direct hit.

 

“Awesome Nali” He said with a proud smile. 

 

“Well thank you Nick but a haystack is hardly a moving target.” She replied as she turned in his direction.

 

“See stop that.” Nick said as he stood up from the grass.  “Whether it’s moving or not you still can’t see it, you gotta think positive, stay confident and believe that you can still fight like you use too.”

 

“You have so much confidence in me.” Nalia replied as he walked over to her.

 

“Because I know you and I know you can do this.” He said as he took her hand.  A smile broke across her lips and it made him smile, it was something he hadn’t seen in a while and he missed it.  “So do you wanna practice some more?”

 

“No” She replied shaking her head.  “I am getting a little hungry.”

 

“Me too come to think of it.” He said as she slipped her sword into the sash behind her back.

 

He took her hand and they began to walk out of the training fields but then out of no where a sharp pain pierced down Nick’s back and he let go of her hand as he gasped out in pain. He dropped to the ground as Nalia called out for him.  His eyes closed as he felt the pain get stronger as it rippled down his back.

 

“Help!!” He heard Nalia scream.

 

Nick tried to stand up but his legs were numb and he collapsed to the ground again.  The pain was unbearable and he was finding it harder to breath.  He opened his eyes and looked up just as a bunch of guards were heading for him.  Again he tried to get up but he fell once more.

 

“Nick what is going on?” Nalia said her voice filled with fear and panic.

 

He tried to say something although he really didn’t know but he couldn’t speak, the pain now covering his chest and pushing the air from his lungs.

 

“We need a Priest now!” The man shouted.

 

“What is going on?” He heard Nalia ask frantically.

 

“Get Princess Nalia out of here now!” The same voice said sternly.

 

“No, I am not leaving him!” Nalia shouted.  “Tell me what has happened to him?”

 

“He has been shot with an arrow Mi’lady now please get to safety.”

 

“An arrow?” Nick thought as Nalia gasped out the words at the same time.

 

“He is not breathing we need that Priest!” The guard said.

 

“Not breathing?” Nalia shouted in shock.

 

“Oh god I’m not breathing” Nick thought to himself.  He couldn’t feel his legs, he couldn’t feel his hands, and he couldn’t tell if he was actually still breathing but then why could he still hear them.  He tried to sit up but nothing happened, he tried to open his eyes and nothing happened, his brain wasn’t working, it wasn’t telling his body what to do.

 

“I think it is too late.” He another guard say.

 

“What?” Nalia gasped.

 

“Too late?” Nick thought.

 

“What do you mean to late?” Nalia asked and he heard her voice crack.

 

“I-I am sorry Princess but Prince Nickolas is dead.” The man said in a somber tone.

 

“Dead!?” Nick thought but his body gave no reaction.

 

“No…” He heard Nalia gasped.  “No no no no.” She pleaded over and over.  He couldn’t feel her face against his but he knew she was close, he could hear her whispers in his ear.  “No, Nickolas, please no.” She cried her cries were almost screams.

 

Alright enough was enough, he needed to get up and show her he wasn’t dead, that this guard was some kind of idiot but no matter how much he tried to fight, or thought that he was fighting it, nothing happened.  He lied there motionless as Nalia’s screams for him to return to her echoed in his ears.  Even when someone took her away Nick could still hear her screaming for him, screaming in disbelief that he was actually gone but he wasn’t he knew he wasn’t, he could hear everything going on around him.

 

Soon he could hear the voices of Priests and guards talking about what was going on.  There was an arrow in his back, almost right in the middle.  They had taken Nalia back to the Palace and informed Queen Eva what was going on.  It wasn’t long after that, that they started to move him.  Not that he could feel them picking him up and carrying him somewhere but he could hear the different sounds of the city as they walked through.  He could hear the gasp of the people as they saw him being carried through the city.  Nick wondered if he was covered up, was he on a carrying board or was someone carrying him and then with the shutting of a door there was silence.

 

Is this what death was like? Is this what death was like here?  Was this really it? And his mind race with emotion as he tried to figure out what was going on.  He wanted to cry but he couldn’t, he wanted too yell out to everyone that he could hear them, that he wasn’t dead but he couldn’t.  Then in what seemed like an eternity he heard the door open again and then he heard a familiar gasp but this wasn’t Nalia, this gasp, this cry was AJ.

 

“Do you see…do you see anything Rayne?” His friend’s voice asked and Nick realized Rayne must have been with him.

 

“No” Rayne said and he could hear the sadness in her voice.  “No Alex I do not, I am so sorry.” She said as AJ began to cry.

 

Then he heard the door open again.  “Please Rayne tell me you see it?” He heard Nalia ask.  He didn’t hear Rayne answer but he heard Nalia start to cry again, she must have shaken her head. 

 

“Bullshit!” He heard Kevin shout and then a commotion around him.  A flurry of voices shouted at each other but then they were all blocked out as he once again as he heard Nalia’s voice close to his ear.

 

“You promised you would be here, you promised me you would help me through this, now what am I going to do.” She cried softly but he was still here, he could hear them all of them.

 

“Come Nalia, we should leave him be.” He heard Rayne say.

 

“No, I-I do not want to leave him yet.” Nalia cried.  “I am not ready to let him go.”

 

As she cried her voice got further away and he realized she was leaving the room.  When the door closed he was stuck in silence again.  This wasn’t heaven, this had to be hell, why was he in hell, he was a Guardian, he helped this place he saved this place, and this was the thanks he gets an eternity of silence.  What happens when they burry him? Was he just going to lie there in a box six feet under the ground forever?

 

He had no idea what time or how long it had been when he heard the door open again but what happened next he really wasn’t expecting.  There were footsteps shuffling across the floor but they weren’t regular footsteps, they were lighter, and if it hadn’t been for the nothing going on around him, the fact he couldn’t even hear himself breath he probably wouldn’t have even heard it at all.

 

“So, are ye sure he’s alive?” He heard the voice say.

 

That accent he had heard that somewhere before.

 

“Aye, he be alive.” The other voice said.

 

Dwarves.

 

“Then we betta get him outta here before they see us, the Queen will be waitin’ on us.” The first voice said and then he heard a commotion of people moving around him. 

 

“Aye put it right where Nickolas was.” He heard a Dwarf say.

 

“Put what where?” He wondered.  When he heard the wind in his ear he knew he was outside and even though he didn’t know what exactly was going on, he was even more confident now that he wasn’t dead.  He made sure he listened to the things around him wondering where they were taking him.  When he heard the rustling of trees and bushes he knew he was on the outside of the city.

 

“To bad we can not change him back to a Dwarf, he be a lot easier to carry.” The one Dwarf said.

 

“Aye, he be a heavy one.” The other Dwarf answered back and Nick resented that remark a little, sure he was a little chunky when they first came but he had actually lost a good amount of weight.

 

“How come the Druid never saw past this trick?” The first Dwarf asked.

 

“Thee Queen said it would make him appear dead.” The other said as his tongue rolled the r.  “No breath, no movement and no aura.” So it was them, they shot him in the back with an arrow and now everyone thought he was dead.  “And now that we’ve switched him out with a real dead body to look like Prince Nickolas there will be no questions.”

 

Nalia…

 

“Aye here we be.” The one Dwarf said and Nick heard the scrapping of stone and the echo of a cave.

 

“Where are we takin’ him?” The other asked.

 

“Right to thee Queen she can wake him up.” The first one answered.

 

“Ya do not think he would attack when she does?”

 

“She’ll keep him paralyzed.” The first Dwarf said.

 

“And then what?”

 

“And then he will learn who he truly is and then so will everyone else.” The first Dwarf replied and they both started laughing.

 

“This can’t be good…” He thought as he heard Mela clap with delight as the Dwarves brought him to her.

 

 

 

Rayne slowly closed the door over to Nalia’s room.  Her friend was still crying, lying in her bed calling out for Nick.  She frowned at the closed door, hearing and even sensing the sadness her friend, her best friend was going through.  Rayne could feel all the sadness around her.  Alexander’s, his friends and everyone else who knew Nickolas but there was something not quite right about all of this, there was still something there.  She didn’t know what it was but something inside her was telling her this was wrong, that Nickolas was alive.  When Mela died or they thought she had died she felt it, she knew it but with Nick, it felt like he was still there. 

 

She walked down the hall towards the globe to Winnol, when she felt someone come up from behind her.  When she turned around she saw Kevin standing at the top of the stairs.

 

“Kevin?” She said as he stared at Nalia’s door.

 

“Is Nalia in there?” He asked.  She frowned at his face, his eyes puffy and red from the tears, his lip still quivered as he fought back more tears.

 

“Yes but she is sleeping or trying too.” Rayne replied.

 

“Oh, well I guess I’ll let her sleep.” Kevin said as he turned to go back down the stairs.

 

“Are you coming to Winnol?” She asked.

 

“No, everyone wants to stay here, be here for Nalia.” Kevin told her.

 

“I am sorry” Rayne said as Kevin stopped and looked at her.  He flashed her a crooked smile, a sad smile and then continued to walk down the stairs.

 

Again the feeling came back to her, the feeling that something wasn’t right about all of this.  Changing directions she walked over to the window at the end of the hall, the window that faced and looked out over the training fields.  She opened the window and looked at the large area of grass, hay and other objects to help the students learn to wield their talent.  Then like a flash of lighting in front of her eyes an image flashed into her head. She was in a tree looking down at the ground below, she saw Dwarves and they were carrying a body.  They were struggling a little with it and she peered to try and get a closer look.

 

“Nickolas.” She whispered and then just as fast as it came it was gone.  Quickly she spun around and ran down the hall to the stairs.  She flew through the lobby and down the right hallway, she ran all the way down to the end and pushed on the big heavy wooden door.  Skipping steps she ran down the stairs that led to under the Palace and then down a damp stone corridor.  Stopping in front of a large wooden door she looked at the Guards protecting it.

 

“You’re Highness?” The one man said.

 

“I-I would like to check one more time.” She said and the guard nodded.

 

“I truly hope you see something, the loss of Prince Nickolas is some what hard to believe.” The man said as he opened the door.

 

“Yes, yes it is.” She replied as the door opened.  Rayne walked in and frowned when she saw Nickolas lying there, pale, motionless, and most defiantly dead.  She sighed a little in frustration, that image had given her hope.  Why did she see it, who or what showed it too her.

 

“Pixca, what is going on?” She whispered.  “Tell me why I feel that Nickolas is still alive.”

 

“Because he is.” Pixca said from behind her and she spun around.

 

She stared at the Elvaan woman.  “He is?”

 

“Yes, a trick much like with Mela, to make you think he is dead.” Pixca told her.  The Elvaan then looked at the body on the table.  “That is not him, switched before the guards took up their duty outside this room.

 

“I need to tell Nalia.” Rayne said quickly.

 

“No” Pixca said and Rayne stopped dead in her tracks.

 

“Pardon?” She replied confused, trying to keep her voice down so the Guards didn’t hear her talking to herself.

 

“They will know soon enough that he is not dead, you must let life play out.” The creator said as Rayne walked up to her.

 

“What do you mean?” Rayne asked still confused.  “He is like a brother to Alexander, he is the love of Nalia’s life and you want me to say nothing?”

 

“Yes” Pixca said.  “You must let life play out; you must let what is going to happen, happen.”

 

“If I must do this then I want to ask something of you.” Rayne said sternly.

 

“And what is that?” Pixca asked.

 

“Is the man at the Healing Springs truly Dyn?” Rayne asked.

 

“Yes” Pixca told her with a small smile. “Can you not tell by his Aura?”

 

Yes but…I just was not sure.” Rayne said knowing what she saw was truly Dyn. “Did you?” Rayne started to say but Pixca cut her off.

 

“No, I did not, he was still alive, it was like you thought, Ignis broke the Drain spell, and when you tossed him over board unconsciously he kept himself alive as he floated to shore.” Pixca told her.  “He stayed in a cave along the shore, remembering what he had done, knowing he could not go home he stayed there until the fisherman found him, the only trick there was him making the fishermen think he was unconscious worried about what would happen when he got back to Winnol.”

 

“This can not be good.” Rayne sighed and Pixca disappeared.

           

 

Chapter 14 by VeeLynn
>

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

                              Chapter 14

           

            AJ sat on the bench by the window in his room, his head resting along the frame as he stared outside.  His eyes locked on the waterfall as it rushed down to the water below but his mind was else where.  He thought about the fights they had here in Pixcadia and the ones back on Earth.  He thought about the jokes they shared, the fun they had and he closed his eyes as his heart broke and tears fell down his cheek.  He didn’t know if he could accept this, he didn’t know if he could live with this.  Nick was gone, just like that.  No great battle, no sacrifice just one arrow in the back and it was all over.  When he felt someone touch his shoulder he didn’t need to look up, the touch was familiar and somewhat comforting.  As Rayne sat down in front of him his eyes finally broke from the waterfall and locked on hers. 

 

“It hurts so much.” He chocked out before he let his sadness over come him.  Rayne pulled him into her arms.

 

“I know darling.” Rayne whispered as he cried. “It will be alright.”

 

“No” He said as he pulled away from her.  “No it won’t, Nick is gone Rayne, he’s never coming back.”  As she frowned he looked away from her, he looked back to the waterfall as he thought about Nick.  His friend was gone, gone forever, and the Dwarves were the reason why.  His body began to fill with anger and rage.  Quickly he stood up breaking from Rayne’s grasp.

 

“Alex where are you going?” She asked as he walked across the room.

 

“To war.” AJ mumbled as he walked to the door.

 

“To war?” He heard Rayne gasp.  “Alex” She said and as he opened the door he could hear her running after him.  “Alex” She said again as she grabbed his arm and he spun around.  “Alex you can not do this.”

 

“And why the hell not?” He snapped at her.  “They did this, they killed Nick and you’re telling me I can not go to War?”

 

“We have no proof.” Rayne told him.

 

“No proof? They wanted Nick dead, look what they did to Nalia there is lots of proof Rayne.” He yelled as he turned to walk into the hallway.

 

“Alexander please!” Rayne snapped still trying to keep her voice down as she grabbed him again.

 

“Let go of me!” AJ yelled at her as he spun back around. “Why are you trying to stop me?”

 

“I do not want you rushing into this.” She said.

 

“I’m not rushing into anything.” He hissed at her.  “The Dwarves are responsible Rayne and I do not understand why you’re trying to stop me. Nick was your friend too and I thought you would want the people responsible to pay for this.”

 

“I do Alex.” She replied

 

“Than why won’t you let me go?” He asked

 

“Because you are upset…”

 

AJ cut her off.  “You’re fucking right I am!” He snapped.

 

“Do not swear at me!” She yelled back.  “And let me finish.”

 

“Why? I already know what you’re going to say.” He yelled.  “You’re upset Alex, you should not rush into this Alex, well you know what, it’s not going to change my mind, I’m going to Kalica, I’m going to go see Eva and we’re going to War, we are going to wipe Tokia off the face of this planet whether you like it or not!” He snapped and then walked away from her.

 

As he walked down the hall towards the globe room he heard the crunching and scratching of branches, then something wrapped around his legs.  When he looked down he saw large vines tangled around his feet and legs.

 

“Alex listen to me…” She started to say but he interrupted her again.

 

“No, I don’t want to hear anything you have to say, I have made up my mind and nothing you can do or say will stop me.” AJ said as he stared at her.

 

“Alex…” She stopped speaking when he disappeared right in front of her, her spell breaking and fading back into the ground.  “…ander.” She sighed.

 

He popped up in the hallway of the Hevi Palace and as soon as he arrived he could hear the voices coming from the room behind the doors beside him.  Opening the doors he walked into the room and saw Eva, Bussa, and Lawrence standing around the desk looking at maps.  When they heard him come in all three of them looked up.

 

“Alexander is everything alright?” Eva asked.

 

“Came here to see if you needed any help.” AJ told them.  “You want my spies you have them, you want my Gryphon riders you have them, anything, I want Rossi dead, and I want that continent gone.

 

“Well I was going to send Bussa over to Winnol to see if you would be willing to help but it appears I do not have too.” Eva replied with a light smile.  “Is Rayne going to prepare the fleet?”

 

“No” AJ said as he walked over to the desk and looked at the map. “She thinks I’m rushing into this.” AJ said with a frustrated sigh.

 

“Rushing? They are responsible for the death of Prince Nickolas.” Eva said a little stunned. 

 

“That’s what I said.” AJ replied tossing his hands up in the air a little.

 

“We must act now before they get the chance to do it again.” Eva told him.

 

“And I agree.”  AJ nodded.  Just then the doors to the office flew open and Rayne walked in.  AJ turned around in his chair and looked at her.

 

“I will tell you one more time Alexander do not teleport from me when I am talking to you.” She said as she walked right over to him.

 

“I said I don’t want to hear it Rayne.” AJ snapped back as he stood up. “Eva agrees with me, Buss and Lawrence agree with us we must act now.”

 

“Rayne I understand you are a druid and you cherish all life but this must be done now.” Eva said as Nalia’s mom looked at her.

 

“This has nothing to do with me being a Druid.” Rayne snapped.  “What if this is what they want? Has anyone thought about that?”

 

“Whether they are ready for us or not, we will go after them.  First the attack on Nalia and now the death of Nick, no we will not wait any longer.” Eva said shaking her head.  “Now, will we have the backing of the Sarila fleet or not?” She asked and everyone looked at Rayne.

 

“I can not send my fleet, my men into a trap, to their deaths, I will not do it.” Rayne said shaking her head and AJ looked at her with disbelief.

 

“Rayne…” A voice said from above them and everyone looked up to see Nalia standing along the railing outside the door to her room.

 

“I am sorry Nali but I can not.” Rayne said again.

 

“I thought Nick was your friend” Nalia said with anger.

 

“He is…was.” Rayne said with a frown.

 

“And am I not your best friend?” Nalia asked.  “Did we not grow up together, play together and fought along side each other?”

 

“Yes” Rayne replied with a light nod.  AJ looked at both girls, he couldn’t believe Rayne was objecting to this but he had hope that Nalia would change her mind.  “Then please, I am asking you, as a friend, for Nickolas, please, lend us your fleet.”

 

AJ watched as Rayne looked away from Nalia as she looked at him and the others in the room.  “I am sorry but I can not.” She said again shaking her head.

 

“Than perhaps you are with them?” Nalia said angrily.

 

“I beg your pardon?” Rayne gasped in shock.

 

“You do not want us to go to war, to get revenge against the people who killed Nick.” Nalia said and AJ could hear her choking up a little.  “My only thought is that you are with them, you are protecting them.”

 

“That is absurd.” Rayne replied shocked.  “I just want us to be smart about this, to use our heads and not our hearts.”

 

“Get out!” Nalia shouted and she started to make her way down the stairs slowly.

 

“Nalia” Rayne said a little frustrated.

 

“Get out I said!” she yelled again.  “And as far as I am concerned you are a traitor, and will not step foot in this Palace or in Kalica again.” AJ looked at Rayne with anger, how could she do this, how could she act like this.

 

“I will be in Winnol when you are ready to talk.” She said looking at AJ,

 

“No, no you won’t.” AJ said to her his voice a little quiet trying to hold back his rage.

 

“What?” Rayne replied stunned.

 

“Go to Sarila, go to Drisel, stay with your fleet and your men, since they mean so much more to you than Nalia and I.”

 

“Alex…”

 

“GO!” AJ shouted at her with pain and anger.

 

He watched as her lips pursed and she grunted in anger or frustration he wasn’t sure but she turned around and walked out of the room.

 

 

Rayne angrily tossed some clothes and her belongings into her bag as she packed things she would need but she wasn’t going to Drisel.  She couldn’t believe her friend had kicked her out of Kalica that her husband kicked her out of their home.  With a sniff and quick wipe of her eyes she grabbed her bag and tossed it over her shoulder.  She walked out of the room closing the door behind her and started to walk down the hall.

 

“Rayne?” Someone said from behind her and she turned around to see Avit and Kevin walking down the hall.

 

“Have you come here to escort me back to Sarila?” Rayne said with a sarcastic tone.

 

“No, why would I?” Avit asked confused.

 

“I have been kicked out of Kalica and I have been kicked out of Winnol, by both Nalia and Alex, I just wanted them to think it through, to not rush this war.” Rayne said as she started crying.

 

“They kicked you out?” Kevin replied confused.

 

“They asked for Sarila’s ships for my men and I said no.” Rayne told them.  “I will not send them into a trap and they are so blinded by the hurt of losing Nickolas they can not see it.”

 

“Where is Alexander now?” Avit asked.

 

“Yeah where is he?” Kevin asked after.

 

“Still in Hevi as far as I know.” Rayne replied with a shrug.  “Eva, Bussa, Lawrence and him are planning out an attack.”

 

“I’m going to go talk to him.” Kevin said as he looked at Rayne and then Avit.

 

“Yes, I shall come along.” Avit nodded.

 

“I will be in Drisel.” Rayne said sadly as she turned away from the men.  She walked slowly down the hall and then looked back when she couldn’t hear their footsteps anymore.  When she knew they were gone she turned back around and headed down the stairs to the first floor of the Castle. 

 

Rayne walked out of the giant Tree Castle and out into the city of Winnol.  She walked past the people with her bag over her shoulder and made her way to the Healing Springs.  She was glad to see that no Priest was around but she would have to get by the guards. 

“You’re Highness?” The guard said as she walked up to him.

 

“I would like to talk to Dyn, I have some questions for him.”

 

“Shall I go in with you?” He asked.

 

“No, I will be alright.” She replied and the guard nodded. When she walked in she saw Alex’s older brother sitting on the edge of the pool.  He looked up when he heard her walk in and by the look on his face he wasn’t expecting it to be her.

 

“Rayne.” He said with shock. “What are you doing here? Does Alexander know you are here.”

 

“No he does not.” Rayne said shaking her head.  “I am here because I need your help.”

 

“My help?” He replied confused.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “I do not know if you have heard but Prince Nickolas is dead.”

 

“What!?” Dyn gasped in shock.  “How?”

 

“The Dwarves an assassin I believe.” Rayne told him.

 

“I am so sorry.” Dyn replied with a frown.

 

“The Kingdom of Kalica and The Kingdom of Winnol are going to war.” Rayne told him.

 

“And what of Sarila?” Dyn asked looking at her.

 

“War is what they want, at least right now.” She told him.  “I will tell you the same thing I told Nalia and Alex, I will not send my fleet and men into a trap.”

 

“And what did they say to that?” He asked.

 

“Nalia called me a traitor, said I was with Dwarves and kicked me out of Kalica.” She said with a frown remembering how angry Nalia was.

 

“And Alexander?” Dyn asked.

 

“I have been kicked out of Winnol as well.” She told him.

 

“Oh Rayne I am sorry.” Dyn said with a frown.  “But why do you need my help?”

 

“I am going back to Kalica, I am going to look for Mela myself there is something…” She paused, how could she say it without letting him know that Nickolas was still alive.  “There is something there in their hiding spot that I believe will end this once and for all.”

 

“What is it?” Dyn asked.

 

“I can not say.” Rayne told him.  “I just hope you can trust me and will help me find it.”  She paused as the tears filled her eyes.  “Because right now you are all that I have.”

 

“Trust you? Is it not me who should be asking you that?” Dyn said a little stunned.

 

“I know it is you Dyn, I know you survived the spell Nickolas had on you, I am not worried you are some trick or that you are lying about who you are.” She told him. “Aura’s do not lie.”

 

“How will you get me passed the guards?” Dyn asked as he stood up from the edge of the pool.

 

“I will escort you out telling them I am taking you to see Avit and Alexander for more questions.”  She told him.

 

“And if they do not let you?” He asked as he walked up to her.

 

“I am a Guardian and so much more, they will not be able to stop me.” She said as confusion fell over his face.  “A lot has happened since we last saw each other, I will explain later.” She said and Dyn nodded.  “Now let us go before Alexander and Avit return from Kalica.”

 

Chapter 15 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 15

           

            “You just can’t kick her out, Winnol is her home, and she is your wife.” Kevin said with an angry tone as they walked into the globe room to head back to Winnol.

 

“The hell I can’t.” AJ snapped.

 

“Alex” Avit said a little stunned.

 

He said nothing as he put his hand on the globe and the others followed.  With a puff of smoke and a flash they were back in Winnol.  AJ stormed out of the room, the doors flying open but he was stopped by guards in the hallway.

 

“Sir” One of them said when they saw their King.  “Queen Rayne has taken off with Dyn.”

 

“WHAT?!” AJ shouted as both Kevin and Avit gasped the word in shock.

 

“Yes Sir.” The man nodded.  “She told the guard she was going in to question him, and then she tried to leave with him, saying she was bringing him here for questioning.  When the guard refused to let her do so, she attacked him, and they both took off.  They were chased to the Gryphon tower but her spells...” The man paused.  “She is a Guardian after all.”

 

“She’s more than that.” AJ thought to himself.

 

“Maybe Nalia was right.” AJ replied in disbelief.  “Maybe she really is with the Dwarves, maybe she is a traitor.”

 

“Or maybe she’s just scared because her husband kicked her out of her home.” Kevin snapped back at him.

 

“Really then what the hell does Dyn have to do with it?” AJ snapped back.  “We don’t even know if it is him.”

 

“Well if anyone would know who he is, it would be Rayne.” Avit told him and AJ looked at him. “Have you really been that blinded by all of this that you forgot Rayne can see our Aura’s there is no hiding that, if she can see his she would know.” Avit said and AJ could sense his anger.

 

“Do you know where they went?” Avit asked his guard.

 

“We are not sure; they made it to the top and took off on a Gryphon.  From what my men say they were headed north west.” The man said.

 

“What’s north west of here?” Kevin asked.

 

“Nothing just the ocean.” AJ replied thinking. 

 

“But Kalica is beyond that ocean.” Avit said looking at him.

 

“We sent a couple of Riders after them sir.” The Guard said to AJ and Avit.

 

“Good” AJ said turning around.

 

“Where are you going?” Kevin asked as he spun around.

 

“Going back to Kalica too inform Eva, she has two traitors heading her way.”

 

“Traitor, Alexander you can not be serious.” Avit replied as Kevin and him followed AJ to the globe room.  AJ said nothing as he put his hand on the globe and returned to Hevi.

 

 

Rayne brought the Gryphon down beside the large tree in an area she knew all to well.  She sent the bird away and picked up her bag.  When she looked over at Dyn he was looking around confused.  Taking her bag, she walked over to the tree and set it down.

 

“Where are we?” He asked confused.

 

“We are in Kalica this use to be the volcanic region.” She told him

 

“What…what happened to it?” He asked as he looked back at her.

 

“After we had defeated Ignis, Nickolas starting succumbing to the darkness, but Pixca was talking to him, she led him here, well to the Canyon on the other side.” She told him.  “At the same time Rexil had put some type of mind spell on me.” She said as they both sat down under the tree.  “She was making me think I was going crazy.”

 

“That old hag.” Dyn sighed.  “Father hated the way she treated you, I always thought it was because he cared for you, now I guess it was because he knew you were a Guardian.”

 

“I have no doubt Marsa cared for me whether I was a Guardian or not.” Rayne replied.  She saw the sadness fall over his face and thought it better to distract him.  “Well there was a big scene in the Castle, apparently I was fighting with thin air, running from the Castle in Sarila to Winnol, running around that Castle and throwing myself through doors but I was actually fighting with Rexil, I was very frightened I did not know what was going to happened, so I was able to locate Alex’s friends Aura’s and was able to pull them back here, although doing so had killed me.”

 

“Killed you?” Dyn said shocked.

 

“Yes” Rayne nodded.  “Alex tried to get me to the Springs but there was nothing they could do, even Kel’Ryn tried to raise me.”

 

“But what happened, you are here right now.” Dyn asked a little in awe.

 

“Alex” She said.  “I guess back on Earth they have this thing called CPR, I am not sure what it means but he did it to me, he also used a small dosage of his lightening spell over my heart gave it a shock and ended up bringing me back.” She told him.

 

“Amazing.” Dyn replied.

 

Rayne nodded.  “Apparently it was some variation of how they try to save lives back on Earth.” She took a deep breath and sighed.  “This all happened while Nick and Nalia were on their way here but when Pixca realized I had died she sent them back.”

 

“And then what?” He asked.

 

“Nick knew Pixca was here, in the old Dwarf Castle, and he found out the stories of it being filled with lava were untrue.” She told him.  “When things with Rexil were put to rest, we gathered an army and came here.  I was weakened because the death in this place craved the life I had, during a fight between the demons and our army I was taken and brought to the Castle.  When I came too, that’s when I saw her.”

 

“Who?” Dyn wondered.

 

“Pixca” She told him.  “Ignis had taken her.”

 

“But how she is Pixca she could easily have over taken him.” Dyn replied confused.

 

“This land did the same thing to her as it did me, she had no power and could do nothing, and they kept her here to make sure she could do no more.” She told him. “She told me about Ignis, about the fact that here, in this area is a portal, a doorway to a demon world, it is where Ignis, or the demon who controlled Ignis was from.” She stopped before saying anything more, she could not tell him about who Pixca really was.  “Before the demon controlling Ignis came, the Elvaans use to protect this place, they would sacrifice a strong Druid and she or he would become a Dryad.  This tree here…” She said looking up.  “…Is what holds the door closed and the Dryad protects it but then the Humans and the Dwarves started fighting over this land.  The actual Ignis, was in love with a girl, she became the Dryad but he could not accept it and he went into seclusion.  While fighting the Dwarves destroyed the tree and opened the portal, it sent Ignis into madness and that is when the demon took control over him and the rest you know.” She said as he stared at her like a five year old listening to a story at story time.

 

“So how did the tree come back?” Dyn asked.

 

“It was me.” She said.  “Pixca told me I needed to do it because I was the only one strong enough too.”

 

“But then would you have become a Dryad?” He asked.

 

“The Castle crumbled down on top of me, I closed the door and the land was reborn and so was I as a Dryad.” She told him.

 

“But you look the same.” He replied.

 

“Pixca, she knew that the world had changed, that I would not be able to protect the tree on my own, so she gave me life again, I am both Rayne and a Dryad but no one accept Nalia, Nickolas and Alex know who I really am because if people found out, if the Dwarves found out…”

 

Dyn finished her sentence.  “They would kill you to open the portal again.”

 

Rayne nodded. “And now I am being labeled as a traitor and everyone I love and care for has turned their backs on me.” She said quietly.

 

“They are in pain and if there is one thing I know it is pain can make you do unthinkable things.” Dyn said as he looked away from her.  They both sat there in silence until Dyn spoke up again.  “I am truly sorry for what I tried to do to you, I was out of my mind with grief and anger but that is still no excuse.”

 

After a moment of silence Dyn spoke up again.  “Are you not worried about Alexander teleporting to us?” He asked

 

“A little but we are not going to be here long plus he can not get to us when we are in the air.”  She told him as she stood up.  “In fact we should get going.”

 

 

“And where is that” AJ said from behind them.  The two spun around and saw the Elvaan standing there staring at them.

 

“What do you care?” Rayne said as she picked up her bag.

 

“Well considering you took off with a murder and beat up a couple of my guards.” AJ said as he looked at them as their Gryphon landed.

 

“Let us go Dyn.” Rayne said rolling her eyes and headed towards the giant bird.

 

“I don’t think so.” AJ said and she heard a loud crackling sound.  She tried to move her feet but she couldn’t.  She didn’t even have to look down to know what was going on, AJ had used his freeze trap spell and now they were both stuck in place.

 

When she looked up she saw AJ standing in front of her.  “You are coming home with me.”

 

“No I am not.” She replied.  “And if I remember correctly you kicked me out of my home.”  Then the freeze trap broke and she stepped forward.  “Do not make me hurt you Alex because I will.”

 

“Oh so we’re going to add on attacking a King on top of everything else you have done are we?” He said as she tried to walk past him but he grabbed her arm and stopped her.

 

“If I have too.” She replied as she pulled her arm from his grip.

 

“What has gotten into you?” He asked

 

“Nothing has gotten into me, you are the one who labeled me a traitor and you are the one who kicked me from my home.” Rayne said as she started walking towards the Gryphon again.

 

“Well when you are running around with Dyn what else am I suppose to think?” AJ snapped.  “Need I remind you what he tried to do to you?”

 

“No you do not!” She yelled at him.  Then she tied her bag to the Gryphon but when she tried to climb up AJ grabbed her arm again.  Her foot got caught in the stirrup and she fell hitting the ground.

 

“Back off!” Dyn shouted as he shoved AJ away.  “Just let her go.”

 

“Not with you!” AJ yelled back as he shoved Dyn.

 

Then out of know where a light beam fell from the sky and struck AJ, he slumped to the ground and yelled in pain as Rayne’s moonbeam spell struck him.

 

“Rayne” Dyn said a little shocked.

 

“Hurry” She said as she hopped up on to the Gryphon and reached her hand out to help him on.  With one last look at AJ as he moaned in pain Dyn grabbed her hand and pulled himself up onto the giant bird.  With a kick Rayne and Dyn were up in the air and flying away from the Dryad tree.  As she made the bird fly hard and fast she held onto the reins tightly, letting the wind blow her tears away.

 

 

 

 Nick sat against the wall, he couldn’t move his legs, or his arms, but he could see, he could breathe and he defiantly wasn’t dead.  When the Dwarves brought him into the room with Mela she woke him. He wasn’t sure how but he remembered his eyes slowly opening, he remembered the air returning to his lungs, and he remembered the woman he once called Mom looking back at him.

 

“It is so good to have you home.” She said to him with a smile. 

 

Then she brought him into a room and that’s when they started filling him with…well he wasn’t sure what it was exactly but it felt good.  Like when he would drain someone, the strength he got from it was intoxicating and he found himself wanting more. 

 

“Let me get my hands on her and I’ll get more.” He mumbled to himself as he looked down at his legs out in front of him.

 

His mind went back to Nalia; he wondered what she was thinking right now, what she was doing.  Was she planning his funeral, was she at home crying, wanting to hold him once more, wanting to kiss him once more and he wondered about AJ and his friends too.  What were they thinking, what were they going through?

 

“Milady!” He heard someone shout outside of the room and he looked over at the door.

 

“What is it?” He heard Mela say with a sigh.

 

“There is turmoil between the Kingdoms.” The man said.

 

“Turmoil?” Nick wondered.

 

“What do you mean?” Mela asked her voice showing great intrigue.

 

“Apparently Queen Rayne has been banned from Kalica and Winnol.”

 

“What?” Nick said shocked at the same time Mela did.

 

“Yes ma’am and she has also taken off with someone, they say it is Marsa’s older son Dyn but is he not dead?” The man asked.

 

“Yes, yes he is.” Mela replied.

 

“What the hell is going on over there?” Nick wondered.

 

“Do you know why they kicked her from the countries?” Mela asked.

 

“Apparently she is against going to war with us.” The man said.  “She had a fight with Princess Nalia and King Alexander; they have labeled her a traitor and banned her from the countries.”

 

“What the hell…” Nick whispered in awe and shock.

 

Then the door opened and he saw Mela walk in.  She had a smile on her face from ear to ear.  The woman that was his Mother walked over to him with two other men and they tied up his arms.

 

“It seems there are some interesting things going on between yee friends.” Mela said.  “Who knew yee death would cause such trouble; aye we should have done this a while ago.”

 

“Bite me.” Nick scoffed as he two Dwarves began to tie his legs.  “Where are you taking me?” Nick asked.

 

“Tis time for another session.” Mela said with a smile.  “I know me son wants more don’tcha?”

 

Nick didn’t say anything as they dragged him on his back out of the room.  They took him down a couple of hallways, and he looked around at how big a long this cave was.  It was kind of like the cave where he had found Nalia and he wondered how many more were out there like this.  When they got to the room, the two men picked him up and put him onto a table.

 

“Shall we make it a little stronger?” Mela asked as she looked at him.  “You are a Loktar; I think you can handle it.”

 

Nick watched as the purple stream started to creep up his legs, around his body, it circled around his arms and around his neck.  As he took a breath the purple smoke entered his nose and mouth and he breathed it in.  The spell filled his body and he began to scream as it rushed through him.  His body tingled and the familiar feeling came back, it soothed him as the tingling turned into a rush feeling. 

 

“Do you want more my boy?” Mela asked as she leaned close to him.

 

Nick slowly began to smile with a light sadistic laugh.  “More” He said as his smile got bigger.  “Give me more.”

 

Chapter 16 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 16

           

            “What will we do when we land?” Dyn yelled at her as they flew over the tree tops.  “He will just teleport to us again.”

 

“No” Rayne said shaking her head.  “He has not been to this part of Kalica”

 

She looked for a good spot to land and then brought the Gryphon down for a landing.  Taking her bag off of the harness she sent the bird back up into the air and then turned to Dyn.  “We will be walking from here.”

 

“Do you know where we are, do you know where we are going?” He asked as she looked around.

 

“No, but they will tell me.” She said as Dyn looked at her confused.

 

She saw the look on his face.  “The animals, the trees, everything that is nature can communicate with me, part of the Dryad.” She told him.

 

“Rayne can I ask you something?” Dyn said as she put her bag over her shoulder.  She then turned and looked at him.  “Why did you do that to Alex?”

 

“He was not going to let us go, I had no choice.” She told him.

 

“He is your husband Rayne, what is so important here that you would turn your back on him?” He asked.

 

“He turned his back on me.” Rayne said and she couldn’t hold back the anger in her voice.  “And I told you I can not say.”

 

“Well I will find out soon enough will I not?” Dyn asked as they began to walk.

 

Rayne looked at him and realized he had a point.  “Nick…Nick is alive, the Dwarves took him, they did something to make him appear dead, even to me, they switched out his body and they have brought him somewhere around here.”

 

“How do you know this and why could you not tell Alex that?” Dyn asked.

 

“I felt like something was not right ever since I heard that Nick had been killed, I confronted Pixca on the matter and she told me.  She also told me I had to let life play out, that I could not tell them, I need to find Nick I need to get him out of there.” She said as she looked around.  “Now please Dyn I need a moment.”

 

Dyn nodded as Rayne dropped her bag.  She walked over to a tree and placed her hand on the rough bark.  An image flashed in her mind, it was of the dwarves and they had Nick with them, carrying him through the forest.  “Where did they take him?” She whispered and then another image came to her.  The Dwarves standing at a large rock, then they pushed it out of the way and entered into a cave.

 

“There is a cave around here somewhere.” Rayne said looking at Dyn.

 

“Do you know which way we should go?” He asked.

 

She knelt down and skimmed her hand along the grass.  “Show me who walked this path.”

 

Another image came to her and this one showed the Dwarves walking by a few feet away and as she stood up she knew which way they were going.  “This way.” She said as she nodded behind them.  Rayne started walking and Dyn followed her, they made their way through the forest and as she would walk by she would touch the trunks of the trees letting them show her the way.

 

“Stop” Rayne said quickly.

 

“What is it?” Dyn asked.

 

“There are guards around.” Rayne whispered.

 

“I do not see any cave.” Dyn replied.

 

“It is still a distance away but the birds gave me the warning.” She told him and she caught the look on his face.  “Even I am still not use to it Dyn.”

 

He lightly smiled.  “I always knew you were something special.” He said

 

Rayne lightly smiled and even blushed a little.  Then the sound of a twig breaking took their attention away. They saw a group of Dwarves running in front of them, they were all dressed in armor and they looked like they were in a hurry.

 

“What is going on?” Dyn asked.

 

“I do not know but if my direction is correct they are heading to Hevi.” Rayne said as she looked at him.

 

“There are more coming.” Dyn said as he pointed to another group.

 

Rayne began to worry; there were many of them heading in the direction of the Kalica Capital.  As they laid low in the grass making sure the traveling Dwarves could not see them, Rayne began to get light head. She placed her hand on the bottom of a tree to try and keep her balance.  Her head was swirling, her body tingled and she felt like she was going to be sick.

 

“Rayne is everything alright?” Dyn whispered but she was so overcome with what was happening to her she could not answer. 

 

She could feel Nick, what he was going through what was happening to him, the Dwarves were filling him with something, was it Death, was it magic she just wasn’t sure but whatever it was it was over taking him.  As another bombardment of magic went through her she gasped out and placed her hands onto the ground trying to hold herself up as Dyn called out to her.

 

 

 

Nick laid on the table barely able to keep his eyes open, he just got finished another session with Mela and his body ached, his head hurt, he felt dizzy and nauseous.  When he heard his mother talking to someone he rolled his head towards them and opened his eyes as far as he could.

 

“The soldiers have been sent Milady.” A guard said to her.

 

“Good, Nickolas should be done, give him time to recover and then bring him to Hevi, I will be waiting.” She said with a smile.

 

Hevi, he knew that place well, it was his home, his home he shared with her and it was her that was getting him through this.  Mela talked about him coming back to her, coming back to Rossi, that this whole process was suppose to bring him back but all he could think of was about her, Nalia.  It was hard to think of her this time, Mela had given him more and she had done it more than once this time around.  They picked him up and moved him back to the small room they always took him to when he was done.  He looked up at Mela as she knelt down in front of him.

 

“Yee Father is on his way, the ships are ready, and now with out Sarila’s fleet, the land of Kalica will not stand a chance.” She spoke as she touched his face.  “Are yee ready my boy? Ready to take the life you crave.”  Mela smiled and then stood up. She walked out of the room and closed the door.  Nick laid against the wall, his head resting on the flat rocks behind him, and he closed his eyes.  A small smile crept across his face when he saw Nalia and it made him want to get home to her even more and to tell her he was still alive. He didn’t know what Mela and Rossi had planned for him but he knew he wasn’t going to do it.  Nick wasn’t going to destroy Nalia’s home, he wasn’t going to harm her people, and he wasn’t going to be their puppet.

 

The sound of men shouting and the commotion outside his door broke him from his day dream of Nalia and he sat there listening for a moment.  He heard screams, the cries and he even thought he heard Magic going off.  Could it be them? Did they find out about the evil trick? Were they on their way to save him?  Carefully Nick leaned back against the wall and used it to help himself up but before he could even take a step the door to his small room flew off the hinges and slammed into the wall on the other side, shattering into pieces. With a stunned look he stared at the doorway unsure what was going on.  Then someone walked into his room.

 

A slender woman her hair was brown with streaks of blue, she had a light around her, an Aura that was a lighter blue, and then she turned her head, her eyes glowed blue and Nick realized where he had seen this woman before, in the Lava Castle, just before…

 

“Rayne?” Nick said a little shocked.

 

“Nickolas are you alright?” She asked and her voiced echoed around the cave.

 

“I think so” He replied.  “Where’s Alex?” He asked but as he did Dyn came running into the room.  “Rayne behind you!” Nick shouted as he went to grab her but she didn’t move.

 

“It is alright Nickolas he is with me.” She replied as Nick started to get a shadow bolt ready.

 

“What? But where is AJ?” He asked.

 

“He is not here.” Dyn said.

 

“Wait I remember Mela and the guards talking they said Nalia and AJ kicked you out of Kalica and Winnol.” Nick said trying to remember.

 

“Yes” Rayne replied.  “They wanted to go to war, I asked them to wait, they would not listen and when I refused to give them my Fleet and my Men, Nalia labeled me a traitor and both her and Alex banned me from the countries.” She told him. “They think I am with the Dwarves.”

 

“How did you know I was here, I thought they covered up my Aura too.” Nick said.

 

“They did but I just had a feeling something was not right, I went to Pixca and she told me, she also told me not to say anything to anyone, that is why I asked them to wait but when they kicked me out I realized I had no choice I had to come and find you.”

 

“So what’s with him?” Nick asked nodding to Dyn.

 

“It is Dyn, I can see it in his Aura and he was the only one who would help me.” Rayne replied.

 

“They’re attacking Hevi” Nick said as he looked back from Dyn to Rayne.

 

“I know, we must hurry” She replied.  “What were they doing to you?” She asked.

 

“I’m not sure, I…I think they were giving me more power.” He told her.  “I can feel it rushing through me, I feel stronger, I feel different.”

 

“Well then let us get to Hevi and see just what exactly they did shall we?” She replied as she pointed towards the open door.

 

“Sounds good to me” Nick nodded with a light sadistic smile.

 

 

 

 

“They are coming from the North and the West.” Bussa said breathless as Nalia, AJ, Avit, Kevin, Brian, Howie, and their wives ran towards the Palace.

 

“Rossi must be on the ships.” Avit said as more Dwarf soldiers came up in front of them.

 

“This is where Rayne’s fleet would have come in handy.” Kevin shot at Nalia and AJ.

 

“She refused to give them to us.” Nalia snapped.  “So her betrayal would have made little difference.”

 

“You two seriously think she would do that?” Kevin asked as he swung his sword up and blocked a Dwarf from attacking him.

 

“Can we fight about this later!?” Brian shouted as he threw his arm out sending a healing spell across his friends.

 

“Well I never thought she’d attack me but my headache tells me otherwise.” AJ snapped at Kevin as he sent an Ice bolt towards a running Dwarf.

 

“Well she probably thought you would have never kicked her from Winnol either.” Kevin snapped back at him as he dropped his sword to his side and faced AJ.

 

“She’s the one that did not want to help!” AJ yelled as he dropped his arm and turned to Kevin.

 

“She wanted you guys to think it through and look…” Kevin said failing his arms around.  “She was right, they were ready for you, and they wanted you to attack them.”

 

“GUYS!!” Kristen shouted as she dropped her bow.  “Just shut up and fight!” She yelled as her pet went running after another Dwarf.

 

“Where’s Leigh-Anne?” Brian said his voice showing a little panic.  Then they heard a scream and everyone spun around to look behind them.  There was a Dwarf standing there, he dropped his sword as a whirl wind of daggers danced around him, green poison smoke flowed across him, then with one final whooshing sound he dropped to his knees and then face first to the ground.

 

“I’m right here.” Leigh-Anne said a little breathless.  “You guys were to busy fighting you didn’t see him coming, good thing he didn’t see me coming either.”

 

“We need to get to the west wall.” Bussa said as AJ looked at him.

 

“In coming!”  Howie shouted as he pointed down one of the streets that led to the west wall.

 

“Braun go!” Kristen commanded her pet and the Tiger took of running down the street, jumping and dodging the arrows and swords that came at him.  She lifted her bow and sent multiple arrows at the small men and four of them struck their targets.

 

“God damn that’s hot.” Kevin mumbled and AJ couldn’t help but laugh.

 

As the pink arrows from Kristen’s bow started firing rapidly, Howie joined her and his wife Leigh lit her sword on Fire as she readied in a battle stance.  “Nali stay behind us” AJ said as he looked at the Warrior.

 

“No I am fine.” Nalia said with a stern tone.

 

“Um..Nali…” AJ said as he started to point out there wasn’t anything she could really do.

 

“I said I am fine, Nick knew I could still fight, so I can still fight.” She said her tone changing from sadness to confident and back to sadness again.

 

“I will keep my eyes on her.” Bussa said.

 

“I do not need a babysitter.” She snapped and then spun around and tossed her sword like a tomahawk and everyone watched as it pierced a Dwarf that was sneaking up on them.

 

“Ok then.” AJ said a little confused as he turned his attention back down the street.

 

“How’s it looking Howie?” AJ shouted up at him as Howie jumped from a roof top to another one.

 

“Right now the street is clear.” His friend shouted back down.

 

“Alright let’s go!” AJ shouted to everyone and they all took off running down the road.

 

The group quickly ran down the newly cleared street and started heading to the back ally that lead to the clearing by the west wall.  When they all ran out from the ally they all stopped dead in their tracks when they saw the men on the field.  There were Elvaans fighting, Humans fighting, Dwarves fighting, and there were bodies scattered everywhere.

 

“Do we split up?” Kevin asked looking to AJ.

 

“I think we should stick together” Brian said looking around.

 

“Our men are getting over ran, there are still more Dwarves coming in from the wall.” Bussa said as AJ looked at him.

 

“What in Pixca is that!?” Avit shouted and everyone looked towards the fields. A purple glow hovered around the ground and as AJ looked closer, he noticed the purple smoke was swirling around the dead bodies.

 

“What the hell is going on?” AJ said a little breathless as he looked to Avit.

 

A loud laugh was heard over all the shouting and fighting and the group looked towards the new hole in the wall and saw Mela standing on top of it. “I have a surprise for you!” Mela shouted and AJ looked at his friends and his General confused.

 

“No…no way.” Howie gasped out and AJ spun around to look at him.

 

“What do you see?” He asked but as his head turned to the direction Howie was looking he didn’t need his friend to answer, he saw what had turned his friend white as a ghost. 

 

“Nick…” AJ said as the breath was taken from him.

 

“What?” Nalia gasped out.  “What, what is going on?”

 

“Tis good of you to join us Nickolas.” Mela shouted.  “Rayne was foolish to come and try and rescue him!” Mela shouted. 

 

“What?” AJ said stunned. 

 

“And now you all will meet the same death she did!” Mela shouted.

 

“What is going on?” Nalia shouted confused.

 

“She was going to save him?” AJ said stunned as his eyes started to fill with tears. “Why, why couldn’t she just tell us?”

 

“Actually Mom there’s been a change in plans.” Nick said as his head turned and looked at her.  AJ looked up at Nick and then to the Dwarf Queen, she looked as shocked as he was.

 

“Look!” Kevin shouted. “Is that Dyn?” As he pointed to a man teleporting through the crowd of people and with each teleport he popped his freeze trap spell, trapping most of the Dwarves around him.

 

A whizzing sound was heard from up above and everyone looked up and saw something, or something’s falling to the ground.  “Are those stars?” Avit asked confused.  Then when one struck a dwarf soldier he screamed in pain as he fell to the ground, more came and more Dwarfs screamed and fell to the ground.

 

“They are not hurting our men.” Bussa said in awe.

 

“Is it Nickolas?” Avit asked.

 

“Nick!!” Nalia shouted.  “Nickolas answers me please!” She shouted again.

 

“Hey babe did ya miss me!?” He shouted back at her and AJ had never seen someone smile so brightly.

 

“Where are these stars coming from?” Mela shouted as she looked at her men dropping by the handful.

 

AJ watched as Nick turned around and reached down for something but as AJ saw Rayne step up onto the wall everyone gasped when they saw her.  Her hair had blue streaks in it, her body gave of a light Aura and she looked up as more stars started to fall.

 

“No!!” Mela shouted.

 

“I think two people owe you an apology when this is over!” Nick shouted as he looked at Rayne and then to AJ and Nalia.  “Seriously guys…a traitor? Really? Rayne?”

 

“Kill them!!!” Mela shouted.  “KILL THEM ALL.”

 

“Not if I can help it!” Nick shouted back at her and then the purple smoke started to rise up and with it so did the bodies.

 

“Holy shit what the hell is going on?!” Brain shouted as the corpses grabbed their swords and turned towards Mela.

 

“Got a little army of my own!” Nick shouted at her. “Thanks for the new powers Mom, I guess I can’t say ya never did anything for me!”

 

“What do we do?” Kevin asked as everyone watched the dead army attack the dwarves, stars still falling around them as Dyn flashed in and out trapping the ones he could.

 

“Attack.” AJ said quickly.  “WINNOL ATTACK!!” He screamed and then Bussa yelled for the Kalica army to do the same.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 17 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 17

           

            AJ looked over to Kevin and saw a group of Dwarfs honing in on him but as he went to teleport to him he saw a group of vines come up and trap the small men.  Quickly he looked over at Rayne and then back at Kevin, raising his hand into the air he watched as it rained down icicles onto the Dwarfs around Kevin freezing them and shattering them all at the same.

 

“Woo thanks man!” Kevin shouted as he stepped over the frozen pieces of Tokia’s army.

 

“That a girl!” They both heard Nick yell and they looked over to their friend who was still standing on the wall as he walked beside Nalia watching her attack anything that came around her.  Then she swung her sword and chopped the head off one of Nick’s dead minions.  “Hey that was one of mine.” Nick pouted.

 

“Sorry” Nalia shouted back as she thrusted her sword into another Dwarf.

 

“Retreat!!” They heard a Dwarf shout and what men were left started running.

 

“Anyone seen Mela?” Nick yelled as he looked to Kevin and AJ.

 

“No” AJ replied shaking his head, still finding it hard to believe Nick was standing there in front of him.

 

“Wait!” Kevin shouted. “Over there.” He yelled pointing to Mela as she fought Rayne.

 

 

 

“I should have known you never survived the Castle crumbling down on top of you.” Mela hissed as Rayne blocked a spell.  “You are the Dryad, which is why there is a new tree; Rossi will be pleased to know.”

 

“You will not get the chance to tell him.” Rayne said as she sent a beam of light down onto Mela and the woman dropped to one knee.

 

“Go ahead and kill me, we are all connected, he already knows.” Mela said with a smile.  Rayne saw the woman’s eyes dart to the right, Rayne knew that meant something or someone was coming up behind her.  She spun around and saw a Dwarf with his sword raised at her.  A gust of wind swarmed the man tangling him up in and a small tornado.

 

Then she heard a grunt of pain and she turned around to see Nick standing by Mela his hand grabbing her shoulder, the familiar pink and purple beam seeping from her too him.  His eyes became dark almost black as black as his hair.

 

“Nickolas.” Mela gasped out.

 

“Since you’re connected tell Dad I said Hi before I suck the last of your life from you.” Nick hissed as he looked the woman in the eyes.  “Now say goodbye.”  And with that the beam got brighter as Mela screamed in pain and began to swivel up much like Dyn did back on the boat.  A moment later he let go and watched as the dried up Dwarf fell to the ground.

 

“Are you ok?” He asked. Rayne spun around and hit the other Dwarf with her moonbeam spell as the little tornado wore off, the man dropped to the ground in pain.

 

“Now I am.” She replied with a light smile. “Are you?”

 

“Yeah, I’m good.” He said with a nod.

 

“Rayne are you alright?” Dyn asked as he approached them.

 

“Yes I am fine.” She replied with a smile to his concern.

 

“That was some fancy teleporting there.” Nick said as Dyn looked at him.

 

“Thank you” Dyn replied with a smile and a light laugh.  “Rayne use to hate it when we played tag and I would do that.”

 

“You guys play tag here?” Nick asked a little stunned.  “We have that game back on Earth.  Although with all this magic, it must be really fun.” He said with a giggle and the other two joined in on the laughter.

 

“Nick?” They heard Kevin say from behind them and he turned around to see all of his friends and Nalia standing there staring at him.

 

“Nickolas.” Nalia said and Rayne could tell in her voice she was still unsure he was really there.  He walked up to her and took her hands, when he touched her she gasped and let out a small whimper.

 

“I’m here Nali, I’m right here.” He said as she threw herself into his arms and started crying.  “It’s ok.” He whispered to her as he held her tight.

 

“I-I thought you were dead, I do not understand.” Nalia said as she cried.

 

“Yeah, we’re all a little confused on that.” Kevin said as Nick looked at him.

 

“The arrow that hit me had a poison on it; it paralyzed me and made me appear dead.” Nick told them.  “Then they switched my body out with someone else’s before the guards got to the burial room.  I could hear everyone talking, I could hear everything going on around me but I couldn’t talk or move or anything.” Nick turned to Rayne.  “Luckily Rayne here figured it out and came to get me.”

 

Rayne wobbled a little and Nick grabbed her.  “Whoa are you ok?” He asked.

 

“I need to lie down.” She said as she grabbed her head.

 

“I can teleport us to Drisel.” Dyn said

 

“You can…” AJ started to say but Rayne didn’t let him finish.

 

“Please.” Rayne said to Dyn.  The Elvaan took her by the hand and they were gone in a flash.

 

Nick looked over at AJ who was just staring at the spot where Rayne was.  “Don’t be pissed at her, you brought this on yourself.”

 

“If she would have just told me.” AJ said looking at his friend.

 

“She was right you know, not wanting to rush the attack, they were ready for you, and it almost got everyone killed, if she hadn’t of found me and made it back here, who knows what would have happened.” Nick said.  “Both of you had no right attacking her the way you did.”

 

“We were upset Nickolas, we…we thought you were dead.” Nalia said to him as he looked at her.

 

“But you are a Princess and he is a King, you have to think with a clear head, or this is what happens.” Nick said to them.

 

“Wow” Kevin spoke up and everyone looked at him.  “Did Nick just say something intelligent?”

 

“Bite me” Nick snapped back jokingly.  “I’m going to go to Drisel, to the Palace and see if Rayne is willing to lend us her fleet to patrol for Rossi, the ships we have here won’t be enough.” He took Nalia by the arm. “Are you coming with me?”  She nodded yes.

 

“I think we’ll all go with you.” Kevin said as he looked over at AJ. 

 

“I’ll meet you guys there.” AJ said and then he teleported away.

 

 

They popped into the room and Dyn walked Rayne over to her bed, she climbed in and slipped under the blankets.  Her head was spinning, she felt weak and she was shaking.  Her eyes closed trying to get a grip on the spinning room.  Her hair was brown again, the aura gone and her eyes were back to the dark blue they always were.

 

“Rayne you should go to the Springs.” Dyn said as he knelt beside her.

 

“I am not allowed there remember.” She mumbled.

 

“Rayne you know he was just upset because of Nickolas.” Dyn said

 

“I am his wife; he should have talked to me, instead of yelling at me and kicking me out of our home.” She replied her voice quaking from the shivering.

 

“I’m sorry.” AJ said and Dyn turned and looked at him. “But you should have told me about Nick.”

 

“I told you I could not.” Rayne mumbled not by choice.

 

“Because of Pixca?” AJ asked.  “We are not even sure we can trust her.”

 

“Why can you not trust her?” Dyn asked.

 

“It is a long story.” Rayne mumbled.

 

“Alex she needs to go to the Springs.” Dyn said as he stood up and walked over to him.

 

“I am fine” Rayne mumbled.  “I just need to rest a little.”

 

“She’s white as a ghost and shaking like a leaf.” Dyn said as AJ walked over to her.

 

“Rayne let me take you to the Springs.” AJ said as he sat on the bed beside her.  Just then her bedroom door opened and Nick, Nalia and the rest of the gang walked in.

 

“Whoa, you don’t look so hot Rayne.” Nick said as he walked up to the bed.

 

“I just need some rest please.” Rayne said a little annoyed.

 

“Alright, everyone out.” AJ said standing up.

 

“Wait.” Nick said. “Rayne we need Sarila’s fleet, next to Tokia it’s the strongest fleet in Pixcadia, we need to look for Rossi.”

 

“Fine” Rayne sighed.  “Tell Jaina she will know what to do.”

 

AJ walked everyone out of the room and turned to his General.  “Avit I want you to help Jaina with anything she needs.”

 

“Of course.” Avit said with a nod.  “What about him?” Avit asked looking over AJ’s shoulder to Dyn.  AJ looked at Dyn and then looked at Rayne lying in the bed.

 

“Get a room ready for him in Winnol but I want guards posted outside his door and at least one with him if he goes anywhere.”  AJ said.

 

“Yes Sir” Avit replied with a nod.   He then turned to Dyn.

 

“Go with Avit, he’ll get a room ready for you, Rayne may trust you but I am not so easily convinced.” AJ said as Dyn walked over to him.  The two men left the room and AJ closed the door behind them.  He then walked over to Rayne’s bed side.

 

“Can I take you to the Springs now?” He asked.

 

“No” She replied, her eyes still closed, still shaking, her voice quiet and weak.  “I told you I just need to rest.”

 

“Then let me take you to Winnol, let me take you home.” He said.

 

“Home, you kicked me from my home.” She said as she opened her eyes.

 

“I was angry and hurt because of Nick.” AJ told her.

 

“And what will happen the next time you are angry and hurt?” She asked and he could hear the anger in her tone. “You are my husband and you just kicked me out of your life and what for? Because I did not agree with a decision you were making.”

 

“Rayne I…”

 

“Just leave, go help look for Rossi and let me rest.” She said as she rolled over and pulled the covers around her.

 

He looked at her wanting to say more, wanting her to know how sorry he was but he decided to let her rest like she wanted.  He teleported from the room and popped back up in Winnol outside their bedroom door, opening the door he walked in and walked over to the bench by the window.  His mind raced back to when him and Rayne were sitting here, when she was holding him as he cried at the thought of Nick being dead.  How angry he was and then what happened after, it was like a snowball at the top of a mountain and then it just started rolling, rolling out of control.  His mind went into a day dream, a dream about what he should have done.  How he should have listened to her and talked about what to do if the Dwarves were ready for them. 

 

“Screw this” He mumbled and he disappeared returning to Rayne’s room.

 

“Look Rayne I know you are pissed at me.” He said as he walked over to her bed.  “But I was…” He stopped when he pulled back on the curtain and she wasn’t there.  “Rayne?” He said as he let the curtain drop.

 

“Alex?” He heard her whisper and he followed the voice.

 

“Rayne?” He called out again not really sure where the voice was coming from.  As he walked over towards the couch he heard something move, he turned around and saw Rayne on the floor on the other side of the bed.  He ran over to her dropping to his knees beside her as she tried to pull herself up.

 

“I-I wanted to go to the bath, everything went black.” She said as he picked her up.

 

“I’m taking you to the Springs.” He said as he cradled her in his arms.

 

“I think that is a good idea.” She replied as she laid her head on his shoulder.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 18 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 18

           

            AJ stormed through the streets of Winnol and each quick hard step brought him closer to the park.  When he entered the place of sanctuary he looked around, he wasn’t sure how to do this, but he knew she was always here.

 

“Get out here!” AJ shouted angrily and then waited.  “I know you are here, so get out here and talk to me.”

 

“Something tells me you do not want to talk to me.” Pixca said as she walked up behind AJ and he spun around.

 

“What kind of shit are you pulling here?” He asked.

 

“Pardon?” She replied.

 

“You tell Rayne not to say anything about Nick but you let her go off to find him on her own.” He shouted at her.

 

“She made her choice?”

 

“Again you have a twisted version of choices!” AJ shouted.

 

“No Alexander you did not give her a choice, you expelled her from her home, Nalia expelled her from Kalica, she was backed against the wall.” Pixca said. “I will gladly take the blame for you losing Rayne in the first place but I will not tolerate you coming and attacking me every time something does not go your way.”

 

“Oh and I suppose you lying about the Drak’nar has nothing to do with it either.” AJ snapped.

 

“I did not mean to lie, I told you why.” Pixca said to him and then she stepped closer to him.  “But I would suggest Alexander that you let this hate for me go, because you have bigger problems to worry about?”

 

“Oh really and what is that?” AJ asked as the two stared each other down.

 

“The Dwarves know who Rayne is now…” Pixca said and as the words came out of her mouth they entered his ears and the realization entered his mind. “Lokin now knows who guards the door and you can bet they will be coming for her, they will destroy Winnol, Sarila and anything that stands in their way to get to her.”  Pixca stared at him for a moment longer and then she walked away into the trees; leaving him standing there as fear rose up inside him. 

 

He closed his eyes and was back inside the Healing Springs.  He went right to Rayne’s room. She sat on the table and looked up at him as he walked into the room. “How are you feeling?” He asked.

 

“Better” She replied. 

 

“Can you leave yet?” He asked.

 

“Yes” She said with a light nod.  “I am just waiting for Jaina to come get me.”

 

“Jaina why…” He stopped, he knew why. “Rayne I am so very sorry I did what I did.” He said as he took her hands.  “I really am.”

 

Rayne started crying and it broke his heart.  “You hurt me so much Alex.” She said as she looked up at him.  “You kicked me from my home, the place where we share our lives; you just shut me out like I meant nothing to you.”

 

“You know that is not true Rayne, you mean everything to me, you are my heart and soul, and I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you.” He told her.  “You got me to realize how much this place meant to me, you got me to realize that I belonged here, and you are the only woman, here or back on Earth that loved me, all of me, even when I do something really stupid like kicking you out of your home.” He said as his voice trailed off.

 

She looked down at their hands.  “I need to protect you.” He said and she looked back up at him again.  “They know who you are now, they know you are the Dryad, and they are going to come for you.”  He wrapped his arms around her and he was relived she let him.  “Let me take you home.” AJ asked as her head rested on his shoulder, her forehead resting against the side of his neck.  When she nodded he scooped her up into his arms and then blinked out of the Springs.

 

 

 

Nick leaned his head back against the window and gasped for air as Nalia’s lips trickled down his neck.  His hands drifted up her bare back as she grinded down onto him.  He wrapped his hands around her shoulders and pushed her down as he moaned her name.  It all started so quickly.  He was sitting by the window thinking about Mela when she walked over to him, he got up to help her but some how she knew what he was doing and told him to sit back down.  She began to unclasp his robe and with each hook she kissed the skin that was hiding behind the clothing.  Her legs straddled him and she pressed her lips hard against his as she let him undress her.  Now here they were engulfed in a sexual moment.

 

He brought his head back down and met her lips, when she pulled away she rested her forehead against his.  “I thought you let me forever.” She whispered her voice shaky and he knew she was close, as close as he was.

 

“No” He whispered back.  “I could never leave you Nali.”

 

A soft smile broke from her lips as she leaned in and kissed him again.  He closed his eyes when he felt his body began to tremble as her pace became faster.  His grip on her shoulder got tighter, he pushed her down onto him harder and thrusted into her as his body and emotions peaked.  He moaned her name and he didn’t care if anyone could hear him.

 

When it was over he sat there a little stunned, a little winded and his mind was going a mile a minute.  He watched as she stood up slipping on her robe and as she started to hook the clasps back together, he stood up. Nick walked up behind and scooped her up into his arms.  Nalia shouted in shock but then started laughing.

 

He whisked her over to the bed and laid her down gently.  Lying on his side he leaned down and kissed her as their fingers tangled around each others.  She pulled the blankets around them and then let her fingers trickle down his face as she let go of the covers.

 

Yes, he missed her eyes but he was starting to see other things about her, no longer being distracted by the dark amber colour staring hypnotically back at him.  The small freckles under her eyes, the way the corner of her mouth slightly curled when his fingers drifted through her hair and how weak her body would become when he gently kissed the side of her neck.  As his lips trickled down her neck a soft sound echoed in his ears, it started to take his mind away from the moment and then he realized it was Nalia; she was crying.

 

“Nali?” He said as he lifted his head and looked at her.  “What’s wrong?”  Nick waited as she tried to calm herself.

 

“You-“ She started to say anything she gasped catching her breath. “You-You died, right there in my arms, you-you were dead.”

 

Nick frowned and took her into his arms.  Sliding his arm under her and pulling her onto his chest, he held her tightly before speaking.  “Mela was using some kind of spell on me, it was like what I felt when I was by the mountain in Tokia, like what I felt in Ashmourne.” He told her.  “Whatever it was supposed to do to me didn’t work because of you.”

 

“Me?” She whispered confused, he could tell by her voice she was still crying a little.

 

“I just kept thinking about how I had to get back to you, get back at tell you I was ok, and it kept my mind clear, it kept me fighting.” He told her as she sat up and even though she couldn’t see him, Nick actually thought she was looking at him.  “I wasn’t ready to let you go, I’ll never let you go.”  Gently he kissed her lips and continued.  “You never abandoned me, even when Ignis tried to use me and never once wavering while I dragged you from one end of Kalica to the other.” 

 

He watched as a smile broke across her face. “I love you so much Nickolas.”

 

“And I love you Nalia.” He replied before leaning in and kissing her.

 

The last thing Nick saw before he fell asleep was the skin on Nalia’s neck as they laid in each other’s embrace after another round sexual celebration.  He was lost in a deep calming sleep but yet his mind was still awake, to a place he never thought it would ever go.  He watched with excitement as he walked down a local Tokia gem maker and got a package from him.  Walking through the cold snowy yet beautiful city and making his way to the Castle.  Walking down the halls as the servants greeted him and the guards saluted him, Nick made his way to the Kalica globe room.  Then he stopped the green globe dull and dark he stared at it.  The feeling of someone behind him made the hair on the back of his neck stand up but he couldn’t move.

 

“We can control you.” The voice raspy and harsh whispered.  “The way Ti’hort controlled Ignis, controlled you and everyone else.”  Nick’s eyes darted and he tried to turn but there was nothing.  “The way Pixca controls…” There was a pause and he wondered if the thing behind him was smiling.

 

“Lokin” Nick said with anger and certainty.

 

“Hello Nickolas.” The voice replied. “I hope you don’t mind but I knew you would just run away or wakeup anyways so I am making sure we have or little talk.” He spoke stern yet Nick got a hint of enjoyment.

 

“What’s the point of this?” Nick asked.

 

“Are we in a hurry?” The voice asked.  “On our way to Kalica I see and what is this?” The voice said and then he felt a tug from the bag in his hands.  “A ring, oh!” He gasped with the excitement of a citizen of Hevi.  “Is this for Princess Nalia?”  and then he heard the voice behind him sigh.  “Such a disappointment.”

 

“Huh?” Nick replied confused not sure what was going on.

 

“You won’t be able to ask her.” The voice spoke and Nick heard the disappointment in his voice.  “Such a shame, I do love a Dwarf wedding.  The singing, the dancing and the fighting after they get drunk enough.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“It is time Nickolas, to do what you were born to do.” The voice hissed.

 

“And what’s that? Wage war against all of Pixca.” Nick replied sarcastically.

 

“No.” The voice replied.  “That will be far too easy for you, that-that was Hunters play, you my dear Nickolas, you are meant for something much more.”

 

“And what’s that?” Nick asked ready to kick this guys ass as soon as he dropped his guard.

 

The voice behind him moved to the front of him but the voice now had a face.  This was Lokin, in his demon form.  His skin was like human but purple with faint blue veins crawling across it’s face. His eyes were dark red with black irises’, no hair just long things that looked like tentacles falling down his back.  “Kill Pixca.”

 

Nick went to reply but before he could a sharp stabbing pain thrusted into his stomach, he gasped out and his eyes were wide as he looked back at the demon.  “Mela has prepared you well, it will only hurt for a little bit.” The voice hissed and twisted harder into Nick’s stomach and he shouted in pain.

 

Sitting straight up Nick grabbed his stomach and rolled out of bed.  The pain was intense, it burned and it started to move it’s way up and down his body.  Nalia called out to him but her voice seemed so distant.  He couldn’t worry that he was on the floor naked or that Nalia was now beside him, frantically asking him what was wrong.  All he could think about was the pain and the need started.  The need for life, the craving, the wanting, his body started to go fuzzy as his mind craved the only thing to make the pain stop. 

 

“Nickolas tell me what is wrong?” He heard Nalia’s voice break through.

 

“Nali” He thought and then the realization hit.

 

“Nalia go!” He shouted as the pain started to get intense again.

 

“What no, not until you tell me what is going on?” She replied with worry and concern as he grunted in pain again.

 

“You need to go now, go to Winnol and tell them…just get out of here!” He shouted at her and then buckled to the ground in pain.  His breathing now panting, sweat pouring from his face, maybe there were tears in there too.

 

“Nickolas…” Nalia replied her voice trailed off.

 

“GO!” He screamed at her and she fell back a little, he knew that if he could see her eyes, he would have seen shock in them.  To his relief she listened that time and scrambled to her feet, running out of the room.  Slowly he climbed to his feet, using the bed post as a crutch.  But then fell as more pain ripped through him.  He screamed as it entered his head and covered his eyes as the pain slithered its way into them.  Then as it had slithered its way up his body, the pain slithered its way out.  Leaving much faster than it came but it had left something behind. 

 

“Power” The voice whispered.  “Power like these people have not seen.  You will kill Pixca, you will kill the rest of the Guardians and then…” The voice paused.  “And then we will go home.”

 

“What about the Dryad?” Nick asked as he turned to his cabinet door.

 

“She is nothing more than a pawn” The voice said.  “Do you really think if she knew that you were alive she would not have told her beloved Alexander, no no Nickolas, she is Pixca’s pawn, just like Ignis’s was Ti’horts.Told to say nothing at all and obeying to their Master.” A smile flickered in the corner of Nick’s mouth.  “Now get going, they will be here for you, you must get to Pixca before they know what’s going on.”

 

Nick grabbed his robe and threw it around him as he marched with a different stride over to the doors.  He closed the robe and pulled the bedroom doors open and walked his way to the Winnol globe room.  When he got there he saw the ball of yellow flickering on.

 

“The shadows will protect you.” Lokin’s voice whispered and with an instinct settled back into the dark corner, not even realizing the dark had swallowed him.  His friends appeared out of no where and he watched as Nalia frantically told the still half asleep Elvaan and Human what had transpired in the room moments before.  When they were gone, Nick crept back out and placed his hand on the globe.

 

Chapter 19 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 19

           

            Rayne stood in the middle of the room, Nalia’s voice echoing through her ears as she stared at the aura before her.  It was green, like a dwarfs aura should be but there were streams of a bright violet colour and the only other place she saw that aura was from Pixca.  The room did not give her a positive feeling.  Something cried out to her, called to her, but she just didn’t understand what it was.  Closing her eyes she let her mind go, it searched for something, anything that was here and could show her what happened.  Just as she had given up hope that nothing had been around something flashed into her mind.  The screaming was loud and painful and as she looked down she saw Nick on the floor.  Not even giving a thought to his lack of attire she watched as he pulled himself up and then fell again.  He grabbed his head in pain and she watched in horror as his eyes became bloodshot. Then the veins bled into his irises turning them blood red.  Then it was over and Nick turned to his dresser as he spoke. 

 

“What about the Dryad?” He asked and then a moment later a small smile etched from the corner of his mouth.

 

“Dryad?” Rayne thought. “Me?”

 

When she blinked she was back in the room and now Nalia and Alex were beside her asking her if she was ok.

 

“Something has happened to Nick.” She spoke quietly.

 

“Mela did this!” Nalia snapped.  “He said she was putting magic or power or something into him…” She told them.

 

“What did you see Rayne?” AJ asked and she looked at him and then at Nalia.

 

“I saw him, he was in pain, he tried to stand up but he fell, he started screaming again and then it just stopped.”  Then she remembered what happened to his eyes. “His, his eyes they started bleeding, they changed and his Aura.” She paused.

 

“What about it?” AJ replied in shock.

 

“If what I saw was correct, his Aura is changing.  We need to get to Pixca and see if she senses anything.”  Rayne told them.

 

“Like she would help.” She heard AJ mumbled and she sighed to herself.  She wished he would let his anger towards Pixca go but she knew him. Pixca had hurt him intentional or not she still hurt him and that was something Alex had a hard time forgiving.

 

“Where did he go?” Nalia asked and Rayne took a deep breath, she knew this was gonna get bad.  Looking around the room she picked up on pieces of it heading towards the door and she headed that way.  As the three of them walked out into the hallway Rayne looked around. Scanning through the colours sorting out the brighter ones from the faded ones, her eyes darted around as she followed the one with the purple specks. 

 

“Wait” AJ spoke from beside her and she looked at him.  “There’s magic here.”

 

“Magic?” Nalia said confused. 

 

“It goes down that way” AJ said pointing and Rayne looked but she knew where it led, the Aura went the same way.

 

“That’s where the Aura goes.” Rayne told him as he looked at her.

 

“Winnol Globe room” AJ replied.

 

As the three made their way towards the globe room doors a screamed echoed through out the hallway, the floor began to shake and all three Guardians dropped to ground.  Rayne looked up and saw the walls rumbling, dust and dirt falling from their settled state.  The scream was still screeching in her ears and then she heard someone yelling.  When she looked up she saw Kevin, his wife and the others coming out of their rooms.

 

“What the hell is going on?!” Kevin yelled as AJ grabbed her arm and helped her up.  She turned to Nalia.

 

“I don’t know.” AJ replied as she helped her friend to her feet.

 

“We should get to Pixca, she will know.” Rayne told them as another tremor rumbled through the hall.  She turned to Alex. “You should teleport and get there now, incase she needs help.”

 

“Rayne.” AJ said not really wanting to go there at least without her.

 

“Go Alex we will be right there.” She said with a light understanding smile.  When he had disappeared she sighed to herself, glad he wasn’t going to put up to much fight, and then they made their way down the hall to the globe room.

 

 

AJ popped up in the park, near the front gate, when he got his bearings and looked around he saw Nick standing in front of him.  His friend’s back was to him so he moved to get a better look, to make sure his friend was ok.

 

“Nick?” AJ said but as the words left his lips his jaw dropped.  Nick was holding Pixca by the throat and the all too familiar drain spell flowing strong around his hand and arm.  “Nick!” AJ snapped and took a step forward but a dark green flash of light flashed in front of him and sent him falling to the ground.

 

“Not today Alex” Nick hissed but his eyes didn’t break from Pixca.  “Sit back and watch, I know you’d get enjoyment out of it.”

 

“What the fuck are you doing!?” AJ snapped as he climbed to his feet and wondered why Pixca was just letting him drain her.

 

“Doing something I should have done back in Ashmourn, something that I was meant to do.” Nick replied as AJ ran his hand along the magic barrier.

 

“What are you talking about?” AJ asked and Nick slowly looked him.  His eyes, they were no longer blue, they were no longer the dark colour they had become, they were red, blood red, and AJ wondered if that’s what Rayne meant when she said they were bleeding.  “What happened to you?”  But Nick didn’t answer he just turned his head back to Pixca.

 

“Lokin, sends his regards.” Nick spoke in a deep, eerie voice and AJ watched as Pixca’s eyes went wide. 

 

“No, Nickolas…” AJ heard her whimper and then a scream broke from the woman’s lips. AJ realized the first one had come from her too.  He sent out a frost bolt, reluctantly, at his friend but it shattered when it hit the magic barrier. 

 

“Nick stop!” AJ shouted.

 

A giant burst of energy shot out from the two people standing in front of him and it sent AJ flying back into the trees.  His body slammed against something hard and as the air left his lungs he knew instantly it was a tree trunk.  As the air entered his lungs again and he pulled himself to his knees, he looked up and saw Nick on a knee and Pixca lying on the ground in front of him.

 

“No” AJ whispered as he realized what Nick had done.  “Nick!” AJ shouted as he slowly got to his feet.  “Nick what did you do?!” AJ yelled.

 

Nick said nothing as he knelt staring at the body.  His friend started laughing but it wasn’t like his usual laugh, it was deep like his voice had become, and there was a sick twisted tone.  AJ’s friend looked at him and smiled.

 

“I thought she would have put up some kind of fight.” Nick said as AJ walked closer to him.  “So I guess it’s me and you now.” Nick spoke.  “Sucks too, cause I wanted Rayne to watch.”

 

“Nick…” AJ said a little breathless still not believing what he had just seen his friend do.

 

“What do you care, you hated her anyways.” Nick snickered as he stood up straighter. “But like I said you’ll be joining her shortly.”

 

Before AJ could say anything, before he could react, Nick’s drain spell wrapped around him, wrapped around his chest and started sucking everything from him.  With a grunt AJ was able to send out a wind spell that had distracted Nick enough that he stopped the spell.  Quickly AJ sent out a fire bolt and then a frost bolt.  Nick had blocked both but was still taken back by AJ’s quick spell casting.

 

“Forgot what kind of Mage you were, been so busy moping and whining over Rayne hadn’t seen you fight in a while.” Nick scoffed with a sigh and then a shadow bolt came towards him but AJ was ready for it and quickly dodged to his left out of its way.

 

“Nickolas?” AJ heard Nalia say and he looked to his right and saw both girls standing there. Rayne looked more rattled than Nalia but he realized Rayne could see Pixca, Nalia couldn’t.  “Nickolas are you alright?” She asked.

 

“Nalia stay back.” AJ said quickly as he watched her take a step towards Nick.

 

“AJ’s just playin’ babe you can come over here.” Nick replied.

 

“Nali don’t.” Rayne said sharply.

 

“What is going on?” Nalia asked Nick. “Why did you leave the room?”

 

“Had to get some air?” Nick replied.

 

“Rayne get her out of here.” AJ said as he looked at his wife and then something hit him in the chest, sending him flying to the ground.  His chest squeezed tighter and tighter and he coughed trying to catch his breath. He took a deep breath in, forcing the air into his lungs an as he breathed out he started coughing again.  With more concentration AJ pulled in another breath as he slowly started to get up. His eyes focused on the scene in front of him.  Nick and Nalia were going at it.  Her swords spun around her as they came crashing at Nick but then he realized Nick was blocking them, with his own arms.  There were no deep wounds, no arms being severed, no blood, not even a scratch.  Just the sound of the swords ping as it connected with what ever Nick had protecting him.  As her leather boot came up and slammed into his stomach, she kicked him back and he fell hard onto the flower garden behind him.  AJ looked at Nalia as she stood strong, ready for his counter attack, her swords were steady but ready at her side, and then she turned her head slightly, as if listening for something.  Then he saw it, the bandage around her eyes, with the way she fought he had forgotten what had happen to her.

 

“Rayne? Alex?” She called out and it made Nick chuckle.

 

“Rayne? Where’s Rayne?” He thought to himself as his eyes broke from the two.  He looked over too where the girls had been and saw her standing, barely, with her hand against the side of her head and her arm wrapped around her stomach. AJ looked back at Nick when he heard him moving and saw his friend starting to get up. 

 

“Alex?” Nalia said.

 

“I’m here” He said quickly as he looked back to Rayne.

 

“Where’s Rayne?” She asked.

 

“She’s fine.” AJ replied. “At least not hurt.”

 

“What do you mean?” Nalia replied and he could hear the concern in her voice.

 

“She feels it.” Nick spoke up and the two looked at him.  “The loss of Pixca, the loss of her Master.”

 

“Pixca was hardly a Master.” AJ scoffed.

 

“Not to us but to her.” Nick replied as he nodded to Rayne. “Come on Alex, are you really that much of a dipstick to see it?” He laughed.  “Anything Pixca wanted done she did it.”

 

“And what does that make you?” Nalia spoke up before AJ could respond.

 

“Me?” Nick replied a little confused.

 

“Are you not some pawn of Lokin?” Nalia asked.

 

“Nope” Nick replied.

 

“You seem so sure.” Nalia said and AJ heard a laugh in her tone.

 

“This is my power, given to me by Lokin.” Nick told them.  “In return I kill Pixca and kill The Dryad.” He said as he nodded to Pixca.

 

“Nickolas…” Nalia spoke sadly.

 

“So now it just leaves the three of you.” Nick sighed.  “I’ll kill you two first, make the Dryad watch and then I’ll kill her.”

 

“And then what?” AJ asked.

 

“And then it’s time to go cut down a tree and get some fire wood, you know cause it’s cold in Tokia.” Nick said as he jokingly shivered.

 

“You kill the tree and this place opens up again.” AJ snapped.

 

“Well duh” Nick replied.  “Lokin wants to go home, he wants me to go to but I’m sure I can talk him into letting me stay someone has to run this place.”

 

“Right, as if the Drak’nor would let this place go, they want it back which means everything gone, trees, plants, castles, people, everything gone.” AJ said as his voice got louder.

 

“Don’t worry about me, in fact in about thirty seconds you’ll be dead so it won’t….” Nick was interrupted by a fury of swords coming at him but they were actually only two, just Nalia’s.  It caught him off guard and he fell back into the bushes and the trees.  As Nalia raised her sword Nick smiled and then vanished disappearing into the shadows.  Nalia gasped with shock, stepping back and dropping the sword.

 

“I-I…” Nalia said as she slowly looked at AJ.

 

He looked back at her. “I saw it too, he just….” AJ couldn’t bring himself to say it. “What happened to him?”

 

“Mela…” Nalia said as she looked back in the direction Nick was.  “He said she put some kind of power into him, he thought he had over powered it but…” She paused and her head lowered a little.  “Where’s Rayne?” Nalia asked him as she turned quickly.

 

“She’s right here” Nick voice broke the silence and both of them spun towards him. 

 

He stood behind Rayne his arms wrapped around her and the bright pink and purple drain spell engulfing her.  AJ stepped forward as he stared at his wife, she was barely standing on her own, her eyes started to roll into the back of her head and she lightly moaned.

 

“So much life in her.” Nick smiled as he looked at AJ.

 

“Nick let her go!” AJ snapped

 

“Yeah right” Nick scoffed.  “You know maybe I’ll just kill…” Nick was cut off by a bright beaming light as it slashed across him.  He dropped Rayne instantly and AJ ran to her catching her before she hit the ground.  Looking up he saw Nick backing away still visibly hurt by the spell that just hit him.  But where did it come from? He started to look around and as eyes darted to the front entrance he saw them.  Brian, Howie, and their wives, Kristin and Kevin, standing with his arm stretched out staring at Nick.

 

“Better get gone.” Kevin said staring at Nick.

 

“Or what you’ll kill me?” Nick laughed.  “Still talkin’ a big game old man but when it comes down to it you can’t deliver.” He smirked.  AJ saw Nick’s expression turn to disappointment and then for a moment saw frustration.  Looking around AJ noticed the area was getting darker and darker and then a loud screeching noise broke through the dress.  AJ’s reaction was to cover his ears and make sure Rayne was safe in his arms.  When he looked up he saw the sun was shining again and Nick was gone.

 

Rayne mumbled something and he looked down at her.  Her eyes were barely open and she was reaching up for him.  “I’m getting you to the Springs beautiful hang on.” He said to her.

 

“No” She replied and AJ looked at her with a yeah right expression.  “The Tree…” She whispered.  “Go, please hurry.”

 

“What, the tree?” AJ replied still unsure what she was talking about.

 

“The Tree Alexander, Rossi is coming. Hurry.” She said her voice barely audible over the regular sounds of wind, birds and rustlings leaves around them.  Her eyes closed and he checked her breathing really quick.  She was ok, and he wondered if she had just pasted out.

 

“Is she alright?” Nalia asked as she knelt down beside them.

 

“She’s talking about the tree she said Rossi is on his way there.” He told her.

 

“How are we going to get an army there in time, even if we use what is left of Kalica’s, it would still take us a couple of hours by Gryphon to get there.” She explained.

 

“We can go.” AJ said to her.

 

“Wait the two of you against Rossi and how many?” Kevin gasped out and AJ looked at him.

 

“If Rossi destroys that Tree, I lose her, forever because now there’s no one to bring her back.” AJ snapped and everyone but him looked at Pixca.

 

“Nick did this?” Brian asked.

 

But AJ ignored him.  “Kevin take her to the Springs.” He said as Kevin knelt down in front of him. 

 

“Alex” Kevin said still not wanting him to go.

 

“Nali you ready?” He asked standing up as Kevin took Rayne.

 

“Ready.” She replied as she held out her hand.  AJ took it and within a milla second they were standing at the Great Tree.  His eyes darted around the area and that’s when he saw them, hundreds of them coming right at them. He heard the ‘shing’ of Nalia drawing her swords and he looked quickly beside him.  They stood ready at her side and he could tell she was tuning into the sounds around her.

 

“There’s a lot.” AJ said as he looked back to the sea of Dwarves.

 

“They are dwarves Alex, one Tohil spell and they will take off like a kite in a wind storm.” She replied as he head tilted to him a little. “Try and save Rossi for me” She said before raising her swords.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 20 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 20

           

A giant gust of wind picked up about fifty dwarves and sent them flying through the air and crashing into the trees.  AJ’s knee buckled a little but he held himself up.  He was tired, drained, and finding it harder to concentrate.  He wasn’t sure how long him and Nalia had been going at it with the Rossi and his Dwarves but the sun was starting to fall behind the mountains. 

 

“How many?” Nalia yelled as she swung her sword around.

 

“Fifty maybe, plus Rossi is still sitting on his pony.” AJ said with a slight joking tone.  His eyes darted to Nalia and she had a smile on her face.

 

“Do you hear that?” Nalia said and AJ looked at her after sending out a fire bolt and a group of dwarves trying to creep up on them.

 

“Hear what?” AJ asked confused, he was hearing a lot of thing.

 

“Above us” Nalia replied.

 

AJ looked up and saw black spots in the sky.  “Birds” He replied as he looked back out at the attacking dwarves but realized they too were looking into the sky.

 

“The wing span is too big.” Nalia replied.

 

“The wing…?” AJ looked at her confused, how would she know that unless she could hear the flapping of the wings themselves?

 

A Dwarf’s scream made him look away and back out towards the small army.  There about twenty yards away laid small body with an arrow sticking out of its chest.  Quickly AJ looked up as two of the seven birds broke away and headed back towards him and Nalia as the rest began to send a rain of arrows at the Dwarfs.

 

“Gryphon’s…” AJ said quickly.  “It’s Gryphon’s!” AJ said excitedly to Nalia and he could tell she got the same serge of energy as he did.  “Remind me when we’re done here to give Avit a raise.”  Nalia chuckled as they watched more and more dwarves fall to the arrows above them.

 

“Blasted Elves!!” They heard Rossi shout and it brought a small smirk across his face. Then he looked right at AJ.  “That bloody tree is going down Alexander.”

 

“You’re army is almost dead Rossi, give it up.” AJ shouted back.

 

“Ah, yee’d like that wouldn’t ya!” The Dwarf King shouted. “But alas no, I’m sorry my dear boy, today be the day you die.”

 

“I’ve heard that somewhere before?” Nalia said and AJ turned his head and looked at her.

 

“Oh yeah Ignis use to say that to me all the time.” He sighed picking up on her joke.

 

“Ignis was a tool.” Nick’s voice said behind them and as AJ spun around he saw Nalia get sent flying back.  She slammed to the ground with a grunt but AJ’s eyes were fixated on Nick.  “Guess she didn’t see me coming.” He said as he smiled at AJ.

 

“Speaking of tools how’s Lokin?” AJ asked and went to hit Nick with a wind burst but Nick raised his hand to the tree.

 

“Careful there Alex, I can suck the life outta this thing faster than you can snort back a line.” Nick said as his hand waved over the trunk.

 

“Fuck you asshole.” AJ snapped.

 

“Oh that hurts.” Nick said grabbing his heart.

 

With one deep breath AJ sent a gust of wind at Nick and it sent him stumbling back.  When AJ was satisfied that Nick was away from the Great Tree, He took another deep breath and with everything he had conjured a spell.  This spell started to wrap itself around the tree; first the wind carried the loose leaves and let them swirl around the branches they fell from.  Clouds formed around the top of the tree and small bolts of lightening crashed to the ground below. The wind got stronger, the rain got harder, and the Tree disappeared behind the magical storm.

 

“Now try to get to it.” He said with the last amount of energy he had left.  AJ dropped to his knees as the world around him began to black out and his body went fuzzy. When he hit the ground he heard shouting and fighting around him but he just couldn’t find the energy to do anything about it.

 

 

 

Rayne sat in the water still and relaxed, her eyes were closed and she shut out everything around her.  Not wanting to think about what she felt running down the road to the park, what she saw when she entered the park, and how easily he had over taken her.  Her lip quivered as she thought about how naive she had been. All this time she thought she was doing it on her own, her choices, and she even told Alex she would not blindly follow Pixca. The sound of foot steps beside her broke her from her peaceful calm and she jolted a little as her eyes shot opened.

 

“Sorry.” Kevin said as she looked up at him.  Giving him a light smile she looked down at the water.  She didn’t really feel like talking to anyone and she was Queen so no one could make her.  “How are you doing?” He asked her but she still wasn’t going to say anything.  “I’m sure he’s fine, I mean if he wasn’t than…” She looked at him and he stopped talking. “Sorry, that was a Nick moment.”  A light smile came across her face and he would never know she laughed a little inside. Then a frown as she remembered Alex’s friend, her friend, and she closed her eyes not wanting to show the pain to the person beside her.  But she knew he was right, if Alex wasn’t alive she would know, she would feel it, then after that Rossi would get to the Tree and then she would we be dead minutes later.

 

“One can not survive without the other.” Pixca’s voice played over in her head.

 

“Pixca” She sighed with a frown.

 

“I don’t understand what has happened to Nick.” Kevin said and his voice startled her, she had forgotten the man was still there.  “The way he looked and attacked.”

 

Rayne sighed; she really didn’t want to talk.  “Nalia said Mela put some kind of magic or power into him, she thinks this is what has happened because of it.”

 

“Can we help him?” Kevin asked.

 

Rayne thought about Nick’s aura, about the different colours and what they could mean.  “I do not know we need to know what kind of magic or power it was first.” She told him.

 

“Queen Rayne?” Jaina’s voice broke into the cave and Rayne looked up at the entrance.

 

“Are they back?” She asked hopeful.

 

“No, no not yet, I just came to tell you the Priest said you could go back to your room.” Her Guardian said as her heart sank.  Jaina set a dress down on the stool for Rayne.

 

“Well I’m going to check on the others.” Kevin said as Rayne started getting out of the water.

 

“I will send Jaina to get you as soon as they get here.” Rayne told him.

 

“Thanks.” Kevin replied with a light smile.

 

When he left the room Rayne proceeded to get dress and she put her hair, which was still damp up in a bun.  The night was chilly and she was glad Jaina had brought down her shall.  Wrapping it around her shoulders she pulled it tight against her as she walked through the city.  The people of Winnol bowed and smiled at her and she tried to smile back but she felt a little lost.  Who’s thoughts did she have, we’re they hers, were they Pixca’s?  She stopped at a corner and looked at the street beside her.  It was the road that led to the park.  Her mind raced back to her and Nalia running down the road, when her breath was taken away and it felt like she had ran right into a wall.  She felt like she was slipping and if it wasn’t for Nalia dragging her the rest of the way, she wondered if she’d still be standing in the middle of the road.

 

The sounds of people shouting behind her broke her from her thoughts as she turned around to see what the commotion was.  Everyone was pointing into the sky and her eyes followed.  There above her was a large group of Gryphon’s.  Her breathing got quick with excitement and a smile broke from her lips as she started running towards the Gryphon Tower. 

 

“Avit!” Rayne shouted when she saw him come out of the doors at the bottom of the tower.  “Is he ok? Is Nalia ok?” She asked as she approached him.  Avit moved her out of the way of the doors and she looked at him confused.  When her eyes darted back to the doors again she saw a bunch of guards carrying a stretcher.

 

“Oh no.” Rayne whimpered as she tried to get to them but Avit stopped her.  “Is he ok?” She asked as she looked at Avit.

 

“I’m not sure.” Avit replied.

 

“Rayne” She heard Nalia say behind her and she spun around.

 

“Nali, you are ok?” She asked as she ran to her friend and hugged her.

 

“Ow” Nalia said sharply and Rayne pulled away.

 

“Sorry” She replied with a light smile.

 

“It is fine, just a little sore.” Her friend said still smiling.

 

“What happened? She asked as she looked over as they carried Alex away.

 

“We were fighting for hours, hundreds of Dwarves but Alex took a bunch out with his wind spells but then Nick showed up.” Nalia said and Rayne heard the pain and sadness in her voice.  “He was threatening to drain the tree but Alex stopped him.”

 

“How?” Rayne asked. “Y-you did not kill him did you?”

 

“No” Nalia replied quickly.  “Alex put up some kind of spell, like a small storm and it surrounded the tree. He passed out and then Nickolas tried to break it, tried to break through but he could not.”  She took a deep breath.  “Avit swooped down with a bunch of other swordsmen and guards and Nick and Rossi took off.”

 

“How are you?” Rayne asked as they began to follow the stretcher.

 

“Sore, I think I twisted my back after Nick hit me.”  Nalia replied lightly rubbing her back.

 

“Hit you?” Rayne asked as he stopped both of them from walking.

 

“We were distracted with Rossi and he came up from behind us, he hit me sent me flying back and that is when he and Alex got into it.” Nalia told her.  Rayne watched her friends face contort in pain and sadness.  “I need to ask you something.”

 

“Anything” Rayne replied.

 

“You said his aura was changing.” Nalia spoke.  “That means he is changing, does it not?”

 

Rayne could only nod.

 

“Do you know to what?” Nalia asked.

 

“I think…” Rayne paused.  “I think he is being turned into one of them.”

 

“One of them?” Nalia replied confused.

 

“Into a Drak’nar.” Rayne said and Nalia’s face fell with disbelief.

 

“No” She said shaking her head. “Can-Can we stop it?”

 

“I do not know Nali.” Rayne replied with sadness.  “Perhaps if not to far along.”

 

“We should go check on Alex.” Nalia said as she watched her friends face push the sadness away.

 

“You need a Priest as well.” Rayne told her as they started walking again.

 

“I will be fine.” Nalia replied with a stern tone.

 

“Milady?” Jaina said from behind her.  “I was told the Gryphon’s arrived.”

 

“Yes Jaina, please tell Sir Kevin and the others to meet us in the Springs.” Rayne replied.

 

“Is Avit alright?” Jaina asked.

 

“Yes he is fine.” Rayne replied and she saw the confused look on Nalia’s face.

 

“And King Alexander?” She asked.

 

“I am assuming he will be fine after some time in a bath.” Rayne said with a light nod.

 

“I am glad to hear that, I shall retrieve his friends.” Jaina said with a light bow and then headed to the Castle.

 

“That was….” Nalia stopped and Rayne knew she was searching for a word.

 

“Interesting?” Rayne replied with a light smile.

 

“Are her and Avit?”

 

“No” Rayne shook her head.  “Although Alex and I have wondered for some time now if they do have feelings for each other.”

 

“You should do something.” Nalia replied.

 

“You sound like Alex.” Rayne said with a light laugh.  “And I will tell you the same thing I told him.  You can not force love, if it was meant to be, than they will find a way.”

 

“I never thought Avit could love someone after Tsa.” Nalia said as they two girls started walking again. “Perhaps that is why they have not said anything?”

 

“It does you know good to wonder Nalia.” Rayne replied.

 

“Tell that to Alex too?” She asked.

 

“Yes” Rayne sighed and then the two girls started laughing.  When the laughter stopped it was silence for the rest of the way, well until they hit the entrance. 

 

“What do we do now that Pixca’s gone, do you think this place will fall apart?” Nalia asked and Rayne stopped walking.

 

“No, I do not think this place will fall apart.” She said as she turned to her friend.  “I think Alex was right about her all along.”

 

“Rayne” Nalia said confused by her friend’s comments.

 

“They are demons Nalia, they do not or did not care about us, just themselves.” She spoke in a strong tone.  “We were here first and they came in and wiped us out, yes we owe Pixca.  She gave us a second chance but now she is gone. Now more than ever we need to stick together and make sure it does not happen again.”

 

“But there are only three of us now.” Nalia said sadly and Rayne put her hand on her shoulder.

 

“He is still there Nalia, otherwise his aura would be completely changed.” She told her hoping those words would give her hope. “We will find a way to help him.”

 

“And if we can not?” Her friend asked as she choked back tears.

 

“Then I will be there for you as much as a best friend can, because I would want to do what you will have to do.” Rayne said as her hand slipped down and took Nalia’s.  Her friend looked away and she could tell she was crying.

 

 

           

 

Chapter 21 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 21

           

            She sat beside the tub, her arm draped over the side, and her fingers slightly dipped into the water.  Her eyes were locked on his even though his were closed.  Rayne sat up a little and looked towards the entrance, the room was a little bit brighter so she knew the sun was starting to rise. 

 

“Still not awake?” Dyn asked as he stood in the door way.

 

“No” She replied. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Came to check on you, I heard the night maids talking, they said you were not in your room.” He said as he walked in further.

 

“I was here” She replied looking back to AJ.

 

“Have you had anything to eat?” He asked.

 

“I am fine Dyn.” She replied a little annoyed.  Her mind drifted back to a couple of days ago, when she had gone running off with him.  She wondered if it was actually her decision to take him with her, or was it Pixca.  The more she thought about it the more she realized it must have been Pixca.  When she looked at Dyn she saw the man on the boat. Pinning her down, forcing himself onto her, kissing her and there is no way she would have asked him for help.

 

“Do you need anything-“ Dyn was cut off.

 

“No I do not, now please leave.” She snapped. 

 

He said nothing as he looked at her in shock and then walked out of the room.  She sighed to herself and put her head in her hand.  She didn’t mean to snap at him, it was just the thought, the thought of her not being in control, and the fact she let Pixca use her like she did.  Every time Alex said she couldn’t be trusted Rayne stood up for her. Every time Alex said she was hiding something, this was it or at least one of the things.  Rayne took a deep breath trying to push everything away.

 

There were so many emotions going through her.  She was so angry at herself for letting it happened, for being controlled. There were also feelings of confusion wondering what would be in store for her now that Pixca was gone.  What if something happened? There would be no one to help them.  They had no one to help them with the knowledge of the Drak’nor.  She started to feel alone and scared, what was going to happen now?  Tucking her legs against her chest she laid her chin on the top of her knees.  Still crying, still thinking, and still waiting for him to wake up.

 

“Sad little Dryad” A voice broke through out the cave and Rayne recognized it immediately.  Her head snapped up and she quickly looked around.  “I don’t know why you try and fight me.” His voice spoke as she still looked in every corner for him.  “You are life and I am death and no matter what you do, you can’t out run me…” And then he grabbed her from behind, out of now where he came and she yelled in fright. “I will sneak up from behind you. Sneak up when you least expect it.”
 He said as he started to squeeze her arms tighter.  “You can try and fight me but you’d only be prolonging the inevitable…” His hands started to glow purple and she felt them get warm.  “What kind of death do you wish for Rayne?” He asked and she began to feel the spell slither up and down her arms, and then across her chest.  She began to become tired and found it hard to concentrate. His voice echoed in her ears.  “A quick death, a cowards death, or would you prefer a slow death, fight until the very end?”  He asked as he pulled more from her.  Her mind wondered if this was it, would he do to her what he did to Dyn.  Would Alex wake up and find her here in a shriveled heap.

 

His grip let go and as he did she immediately felt the spell release as well but the momentum sent her crashing to the ground.  She was able to get her hands out and break her fall. Staring at the ground she wondered what had happened and let a moment pass so she could replay her thoughts.  Then she heard a commotion from behind her, she saw four feet shuffling across the floor and when she looked up she saw Nick and AJ wrestling.  AJ slammed Nick into the wall hard but the Warlocks reaction wasn’t what she thought it would have been.  He laughed with each punch, he laughed with each slam into the wall and when AJ had had enough and slammed Nick’s face off the stone tub, he laughed. As AJ backed away Avit and some guards came running in but as they approached Nick he slipped back into the corner shadows and disappeared.

 

“King Alexander are you alright?” Avit asked and Rayne saw that he was as shocked as she was.  AJ didn’t answer him instead he turned and looked at her as she sat on the ground.

 

He walked over to her and knelt down.  “Are you-“ He started to ask but she cut him off as she wrapped her arms around his neck and held him tightly.  With a small whimper her feelings started to come out.  Her whimpers turned to cries but as they did his grip around her tightened.

 

“It’s okay Beautiful.” He whispered.

 

“No it is not” She replied and lightly shook her head. Her eyes went to his when he pulled them apart and looked at her confused.  When he looked away and told Avit to give them a moment, she gave the room a quick scan wondering if Nick was still around. 

 

“I know you are upset about Pixca…”

 

She cut him off.  “I could careless about that-that demon.”

 

AJ’s face fell in confusion.  “Did I miss something?” Her eyes were still locked on his and as his hand touched the side of her face, she knew he saw the anger in hers.  “Nick was right, wasn’t he?”  Her eyes fell in confusion.  “Nick said you could feel the loss of your Master. She was controlling you wasn’t she?”  And now she saw the anger in his eyes. She nodded her head so lightly she wondered if she actually was nodding.  AJ let out a furious huff and looked around the room. 

“I thought it was me, I thought they were my thoughts, my choices but they were not.” She said as she looked down at her hands.  “And now I am second guessing everything.” Her eyes went back to his, he was all blurry so she blinked and let the tears fall.  “Has Dyn really changed? Did she bring him back? She lied about so many things.  I do not know what was real and what was her.” She took a deep breath.  “The time we spent together when I had come back, was that me or was that…” Her words stopped as she broke down crying again and he pulled her into his arms. “Did she want me to go after Nick? Did she change me into the Dryad and sent me into to get him? Did she want Rossi and everyone to find out about me?”  She took a deep breath.  “I am so confused Alex.” She cried.

 

 

Nalia slowly walked down the streets of Winnol. After she was given the okay to leave the Springs, she went to check on Rayne and AJ.  He was still out of it and she was there sitting by his side.  Nalia told her AJ would want her to get some rest but she wouldn’t move.  Knowing she wasn’t going to change Rayne’s mind she left and decided she wanted to go for a walk.  She wasn’t sure how long she walked down the Elvaan City streets, it was early in the morning and the city was almost a blue as they sun began to lighten the dark night sky but to her time was standing still.  A cry jerked her from her thoughts and she stopped as she looked around.  An uneasy feeling came over her when she realized she was outside of the park.  She placed her hand on the hilt of her sword and slowly made her way under the entrance. 

 

Following the stone path she walked towards the sounds and the closer she got, the more she started to realize they were coming from where Nick had killed Pixca.  Carefully she walked past the rows of bushes and came to a stop when she heard a thud in front of her.  Harder she listened and made sure she had a tight grip on her sword and even though she wasn’t a hundred percent sure she called out to him. “Nick?”

 

The voice was faint, perhaps tired, weak, and there was another tone to it but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it.  “Nali?”

 

She adjusted her grip on her sword.  “Come to try again?”  Nalia waited for a smart ass answer but she didn’t get one, she didn’t get an answer at all.  “What games are you playing now?” As she spoke the words something touched her foot and she jumped back, pulling her sword out.

 

“Don’t” Nick gasped out and something in the tired, weak, faint voice made her stop. Her head titled a little and she felt his hand on her foot, and then it gripped her leg.  She tensed up ready for him to pull her feet out from under her but he didn’t.  Instead she heard his whimpers and she had also realized his grip wasn’t very strong.  “Nali, please.” His voice was no different and that’s when it hit her, the missing piece to the voice, it was his voice.

 

“I will not fall for this trick” She spoke as she snapped her feelings back into place.

 

“No trick” Nick gasped out again.  She stood there for a moment not sure what to do.  This man that had turned their backs on them, the man who killed Pixca, tried to kill her, Alex and Rayne, was now sitting at her feet.  Slowly she knelt down but did not let go of her sword as she did.  Even though she had somewhat gotten use to not being able to see, it was times like this she missed it more than ever.  “I was dreaming…” He started to speak.  “I was dreaming about us.” Her face fell with confusion.  “I was in Tokia, I…” He stopped and gapsed out in pain.  Nalia reached out to him, it was a habit that was hard to break.

 

“Nick?” She said.  “A-Are you ok?”

 

“It hurts…” His weak voice spoke.  “Everything hurts”

 

“What happened?” She asked.  Her heart fluttered, did he break through it? Is he fighting it and getting stronger?  “Tell me Nick, what happened?”

 

“I was dreaming. I was in Tokia, in a Gem store.  I was buying you a ring…” He said and his voice trailed off, almost like he got caught up in another thought. “When I was leaving he stopped me.”

 

“He?” Nalia replied. “Who Nick, who stopped you?”

 

“Loki, he, he stopped me, trapped me, and I couldn’t move.” He told her. “I tried Nali, I tried with everything I had to fight him but I couldn’t.” Again Nick moaned in pain and he clung to Nalia tighter. “It felt like he stabbed me, it hurt so much…” He moaned in more pain.

 

“It’s ok Nick” She said as she held him.

 

“No no” He said quickly and she felt his head shake.  Then he did something that shocked her, he pushed her back.  As she hit the ground she heard Nick scurry away from her.

 

“Nick?” She said confused.

 

“Go Nalia” He said and it had an eerie déjà vu tone.  “Get outta here!”

 

“What is happening Nickolas tell me please.” Nalia replied.  She waited and listened for an answer but she got nothing.  “Nick?” She repeated.  There was silence an eerie silence and then there was a laugh.  She knew that laugh and she gripped the hilt of her sword.

 

“I will find a way.” She spoke trying to show her strength as she took a step back but she bumped into something.  Spinning around with her sword out, she shoved the thing standing behind her. “I will find a way to break this hold Loki has on you, I will not give up on you.”

 

Nick laughed.  “Come with me, I’ll get Loki to hook you up, we can rule this place together.” He said as he tried to get closer to her but she drew her sword in front of her.  “That’s my girl, always did like it when we played rough huh?”

 

“I will not hesitate to run you through.” Nalia snapped at him.

 

“Awe but baby what about the I will find a way speech.” He replied and she felt him touch the tip of her sword.  She gave him a shove and kicked her leg out tripping him as he stumbled back.  When she heard his body hit the ground she took off running out of the park. As fast as her legs would carry her she ran, ran down the streets and the citizens starting their day stared at her.  She ran down the road to the Springs and didn’t stop until she reached AJ’s room hoping Rayne was still sitting with him.

 

“Rayne?” Nalia said as she entered the cave not realizing the two were on the floor.

 

“Nalia is everything alright?” AJ asked and it shocked her for a moment.

 

“Alex you are awake?” She replied still a little confused.

 

“Yeah and not a second to soon either.” He sighed.

 

“What do you mean?” She asked and then she heard a whimper.  “What happened? Is Rayne alright?”

 

“She’s fine, she’s just really upset.” AJ told her.  “I’m going to go take her too our room.”

 

“Wait I need to tell you something.” She said as she reached out for one of them.  “It’s about Nick.”

 

“What about him?” AJ asked and she heard distaste in his voice.

 

Nalia told him about her walk, about leaving the Springs and ending up at the park.  She told him about the cries she heard and what she came upon when she entered the park. She explained how it didn’t sound like this new Nick, that he sounded like Nick, and what Nick had told her, about the dream and about Loki.  Then she told them about how he changed again, like he was fighting this thing Loki was doing to him.

 

“He must have gone to the park after he came here than.” AJ replied.

 

“He was here?” Nalia asked.

 

“Yeah he tried to attack Rayne, luckily I woke up.” AJ told her.

 

“Is she alright, she has not said a word.” Nalia spoke as they walked out of the cave.

 

“I am fine.” Rayne spoke up but Nalia could tell by her voice she was not.

 

“So what’s with this good Nick bad Nick than?” AJ asked.

 

“It is his aura” Rayne said and Nalia turned to where her voice was coming from.  “We need to find out what exactly Mela did to him.”

 

“How?” AJ asked.

 

“One of the prisoners from the battle, we must be able to get one of them to talk.” Nalia said with some excitement and then she remembered holding him in the park, the way he cried, the dream he had and she gripped her sword tighter.  “I will make them talk.”

Chapter 22 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 22

           

           

            Rayne sat on the grass in the Winnol Park, the light breeze blowing the tips of the grass, swaying the flowers, and rattling the leaves on the trees.  The sun covered her in a warm soothing glow and she closed her eyes as she relaxed.  She was waiting for Alex to arrive; they usually met here when they were sleeping.  The sound of someone walking up behind her made her smile as she pictured her husband walking towards her but when his lips didn’t touch her neck like she had thought they would, she slowly opened her eyes and looked up.

 

“Marsa?” She said confused.

 

            “Rayne it is wonderful to see you again.” Marsa said to her with a bright smile as he sat down beside her.

 

“Why have you come?” She asked wondering why he would come to her.

 

“You know that we can talk to our love ones if we choose to do so.” He said with a light grin.

 

“If they are lost.” Rayne replied. “And they must be family.”

 

“Seems to me like you might be a little lost.” Marsa said to her.  “And I do consider you family, you married my son.”  Rayne lightly smiled as she looked down at the blowing grass beside her.  “Besides, you spent a lot of time with my family while you were training with the Druids; you were best friends to my son Dyn…” Marsa paused.

 

“Is it Dyn?” She asked as she looked up at the Elvaan man.

 

“Yes, yes that is my son.” Marsa sighed.  “Pixca was hoping he would be a distraction for you and Alexander.”

 

“A distraction?” Rayne said confused and Marsa nodded.

 

“She wanted to keep the two of you from prying deeper into who she really was.” Marsa said and then he paused.  “I feel like such a fool.”

 

“Why?” Rayne replied confused.

 

“Tas and I lost something very important, we gave up something very important for her.  Our time with our son was taken away because of her and because of her lies.” Marsa spoke and as he did she heard the pain in his voice.

 

“He wonders what it would have been like to grow up here.” She told him as a breeze blew past them.  “He wonders if him and I would have been friends, growing up together, sharing the same birthday, and he wonders what it would have been like to have a Father like you.”

 

“I sent him away to protect him but I do not think it did any good.” The Elvaan man sighed. “But enough about this let us talk about you.”  Marsa said as Rayne looked at him.  “Are you confused about Dyn?”

 

“Dyn? Well I wonder if it is really him.” Rayne told him.

 

“No I meant, now that he is back, now that he is not so clouded with hatred are you having feelings for him?” Marsa asked.

 

“No” Rayne said quickly. “Absolutely not, I love Alexander…”

 

“But Rayne…”

 

She cut him off.  “Even more than I had ever loved Dyn, there is so much more there between Alex and I, and I never want to lose that.  He protects me, loves me, Dyn, Dyn tried hurt me in a way no man should hurt a woman and I will never forget that.”

“Then what has you so confused?” Marsa asked.

 

“What do we do now?” Rayne said with a sigh.  “There is no Pixca, what does that mean? Will there be more Guardians or are we the last ones. How do we make sure that the Drak’nor do not come back, that they do not destroy this world and its life again?”

 

“The world is large, the lands are many, and the seas are deep.” Marsa told her and she looked at him confused.  “Perhaps we do not know the answers because they are hidden, hidden in places we have not been.”

 

“What do you mean?” Rayne asked.

 

“All we know is what Pixca told us and we now know we were here long before she was, long before their kind came here.  There must be answers somewhere.”  Marsa told her. 

 

“But we have been all over Pixcadia looking for answers, ever since Ignis started his war.” Rayne said. “And now most of that is a lie.”

 

“We looked in Tokia, in Kalica, in Sarila, and in Winnol but how do we know those are the only lands of this world.” Marsa said as he raised an eyebrow at her. “We only went where she allowed us; she told us about Tokia, about the other Continents but is there more Rayne?”

 

“More?” Rayne replied a little confused but her mind started processing what he said again and again and as it did the meaning of his words came to light. 

 

“If you have questions about the Drak’nor, only Loki can answer those but if you have questions about this world, this world will answer, you just need to look in the places you did not even know were there.” Marsa said as he stood up.

 

“But how…” She was cut off.

 

“Ask and they will show you, like they always have.” Marsa said with a light smile.

 

“You mean the Dryad?” Rayne said with bitterness.

 

“You show shame” Marsa said a little shocked.

 

“When Pixca died I felt her death, then I realized what she had done, the control she had over me.” She paused and swallowed hard.  “Who am I now?”

 

“You are Rayne she does not have control anymore you do and what you do from now on will be yours and yours alone.” Marsa told him.  “I knew when I saw the six year old girl walk into my meeting room all those years ago you were something special and I was proven right time and time again.”  He told her with a loving smile. “Now I must go.”

 

“Alright” Rayne said a little disappointed; it was nice seeing an old friend, even if it was this way.

 

“Take care of my Alexander and make sure that temper of his does not get him into to much trouble.” Marsa told her and Rayne smiled with a light laugh.  “I still do not understand where he gets that from.”

 

“If my Father were here he would say you.” Rayne spoke with a joking smile.  “You just have more patients than your son.”

 

“Mmhmm.” Marsa said raising an eyebrow at the joking Human in front of him.  Rayne watched as he turned and began to walk away but then he stopped and turned to her.  “One last thing.” He spoke.

 

“Anything Marsa.” She replied wanting the extra moment with him.

 

“Tas, she wanted me to tell you that even though she is not walking with the living any more does not mean she still does not want grandchildren.” Marsa spoke and Rayne’s face went beat red.

 

“We-we are a little busy at th-he moment.” Rayne stuttered out and Marsa smiled at her embarrassment.

 

“I agree but a conversation or two would not hurt.” Marsa replied as his smile turned to sympathy.  He then turned and headed down the path towards the Druid Council.  As the pathway got darker so did he until he disappeared.

 

“Damn he ain’t asking much is he.” Nick’s voice jolted her from her gaze and she spun around.

 

“H-how, this is my dream you have no right here.” Rayne said as she stared at the man now standing in front of her.

 

“Actually I do” Nick replied as he took a slithering step forward, he got so close she needed to take a step back.  “Don’t you remember, Rexil?” Nick said with an evil almost sadistic smile.

 

“Rexil?” Rayne whispered as she thought about what he meant and then her head snapped up.  “No”

 

“Yes” Nick replied with a nod. He reached up and touched the side of her head with his pointer finger.  “You still got some of me up here.” And with each word he tapped the side of her head, his finger jabbing harder with each one.  Quickly she stepped back as a small whimper of fear broke from her lips.  “Like I said you can’t escape me, you can’t run and hide, your death is inevitable.”

 

Her mind raced as she tried to figure a way out, a way to wake up.  No spell seemed to stop him and certainly no sword could stop him either.  How was she going to get out of this nightmare?  She looked around and saw the sun that was calming and warm was gone.  Now it was dark and cold and she started to shiver.  His hands wrapped around her arms and she snapped her head around and looked at him.

 

“It’s for the better; AJ would make a horrible Father.” Nick scoffed as he squeezed her arms.

 

Rayne stared at him for a moment as the idea leaked into her head.  Father. It was a long shot but if he was in there fighting, holding off the demon that’s trying to take over, perhaps she could get some kind of reaction.

 

“And what about you?” Rayne said as she made a last attempt to throw him off guard.

 

“Me?” Nick replied with a laugh.

 

Rayne swallowed and made sure she held the lie tightly inside her.  “I fear what Nalia will have to tell her child, when your son or daughter asks where their Father is.”

 

His grip slipped from her as she watched his face fall, she was ready for it and she had mix feelings about her trick working.  “You are not welcome here.” She said quickly and sent the spell hard into his chest.  A flash of light broke between them and she heard Nick shout something but she couldn’t make it out as he was pushed from her dream.

 

Her eyes fluttered opened and as they did she felt the throbbing pain inside her head.  With a soft moan she sat up on her arm and reached up with her free hand, placing her hand on her head. “Wonderful” She whispered at the pain. Getting her bearings she looked around the enclosed bed and saw that her husband was not sleeping beside her.  Grabbing her robe she left the bed and wrapped it around her. 

 

“Alex?” She called out as she looked around the room but he wasn’t there.  Tying up her robe she walked over to the window and opened it.  She looked out over the city.  “Where are you?” She wondered as her eyes scanned the streets below.

 

“Outside the city he walks.” A voice whispered in her head.

 

“Outside?” She thought as she looked towards the City Gates.

 

The sky was still dark but the moon was bright and lit up the streets below. Walking over to her wardrobe she opened it and pulled out a simple dress.  She put it on and walked out of the room.  The halls were quiet as she walked down them towards the front doors and the guards bowed to her as they opened the door for her to walk outside.  The guards at the front gates were surprised to see her but they still reacted to the Queen in front of them.  She stopped on the road and looked back as the gate locked closed behind her.  Rayne wondered if the guards had gone to get Jaina or Avit knowing both King and Queen were walking alone outside of Winnol.  Turning back around she started to walk down the dirt road looking through the trees and forest around her trying to find her husband.

 

When she saw a fork in the road a few yards ahead of her she stopped and thought about turning around.  She had been walking for a while now and she started to worry that she couldn’t find him.  The sound of a twig snapping took her attention and she looked to her left.

 

“There you are” She sighed relieved to see him walking towards her.  “What in the world are you doing out here and at this time of night?” She asked.

 

“Thinking.” He replied as he stepped onto the road.

 

“Here?” Rayne said as he started walking away.  She stared at him baffled that he hadn’t answered her.  “Alex?” When he didn’t answer she chased after him.  Stepping in front of her husband she blocked him from walking and he looked at her a little irritated.  “Why are you out here?”

 

“I told you I was thinking.” He snapped at her.

 

“Hey” She replied with a small frown. 

 

“I’m sorry” He sighed.  “I’m just all worked up over Nick.”

 

“Is that why you are out here?” She asked.

 

He looked away from her and looked behind them, to the area he had come out from.  “That’s where Bussa found us.” He said as he looked back at her.

 

“Found you?” She replied confused but quickly realized what he was talking about.  “When Marsa brought you back.”

 

“Yeah” He nodded.  “I thought I was dreaming.”

 

“I heard.” She replied and smiled a little as she remembered Marsa and her Father talking.  “Do you remember the first time we met?” She asked as she took his other hand.

 

“You mean when you slammed into me?” He asked and as he smiled she frowned.

 

“I did not, you slammed into me.” Rayne replied with shock even though she knew he was right.

 

“Please woman you had so many books on you, you couldn’t see where you were going.” He replied with a light laugh.

 

“I remember wondering who was this oddly dressed but handsome man.” She said laughing too.  “I also remember that was the first time I saw your temper.”

 

“Yeah well I was kind of going through a lot of shit.” AJ replied and she frowned at the swear word.

 

“Talk to me about Nickolas.” Rayne said as she ran her fingers through a piece of his hair.

 

“I keep thinking about what will happen next and every thought brings me to only one thing.” He said.  “I don’t think Nalia will do it and I don’t even know if I could but you…” He stopped and closed his eyes.  Her heart began to ache as she let go of his hair and touched the side of his face.

 

“We will find a way to help him.” Rayne said as he opened his eyes and looked at her.  “He is showing signs he is fighting, he is there Alex, and there is still something to fight for.”  As she looked at him, watched the pain in his eyes, she bit her lip.  “Plus I might have given him a little push.”

 

“Huh?” AJ replied as he looked at her confused.

 

“I was waiting for you at the park and while I was waiting Marsa showed up.”

 

“Marsa?” He replied and she heard the intrigue in his voice.

 

She nodded but decided not to get into detail about that part of the dream just yet.  “When he left Nick was there.  He told me he was still there because of what happened with Rexil.”

 

“When he helped you get your memory, he was in that phantasm thing you did.” He said and she knew he was catching on.

 

“He attacked me and…” She stopped when the words replayed in her head.

 

“What Rayne?” AJ asked.  “What did he do?”

 

“I could not think of anything to do to break his grip on me, to make him drop his guard so I could get out of the dream.” She told him.  “And then it just blurted out of me.”

 

“What did?” He asked as his head tilted a little.

 

“I asked him what Nalia would do when their son or daughter asks where their Father is.” She said and she couldn’t help but wince a little.  “It did work, he let go as soon as he realized what I was talking about and I was able to push him from the dream.”

 

“So now Nick thinks that Nalia is pregnant?” He asked and she looked at him confused then she saw the worry on his face.  “Rayne…he thinks she’s pregnant.”

 

She replayed his words and she began to see how that could be bad.  “Oh no” Her mouth gasped as she began to realize what she had done.  Before she could think any more on it AJ grabbed her and in a flash they were now standing in the hall of the Palace in Hevi.  Rayne looked around and saw AJ had brought them right outside of Nalia’s bedroom door. 

 

“Nali!” AJ yelled as he banged on the door.  “Nali are you in there?” She looked down as her husband grabbed the knob and turned it.  He pushed on the door opening it but when he let go of her hand and darted into the room her heart stopped.  As she walked through the door everything played out like it was in slow motion and she stood there frozen in time.

 

Nick was at the window holding Nalia as AJ ran towards them.  She looked outside the window and gasped at what she saw.  A large creature hovered, waiting.  It looked like a bird, like a giant Eagle but everything about the bird was a shadow.  Its feathers were shadows, its beak, its tail everything was a shadow.  Her eyes darted back to Nick and Nalia as Nick’s arm went flying out in front of him.  A shadow bolt burst from his fingers and slammed into AJ.  She watched as her husband was sent flying across the room and crashed against the desk.  Rayne looked at her friend, Nick’s one arm wrapped back around her, the other covering her mouth as she frantically grabbed at it.  Her screams were muffled by his palm and he looked at Rayne before bolting out the window. 

 

Finally Rayne was able to move and she darted towards the window but a loud, ear piercing squelch ripped through her ears and she fell to the floor covering them. She remembered hearing this sound as well, when they were in the park just before Nick had left.  When the sound stopped Rayne looked up.  Her eyes frantically searched the sky through the window but she saw nothing.

 

“Oh no” She whispered as she realized what she had done.  “Oh no Nali.” She said again as she scrambled to her feet.  Her body slammed to a stop as she looked out at the blue sky.  “Nalia!!” She yelled as her feelings and guilt over whelmed her. Rayne erupted into loud almost uncontrollable screams. “Nalia!!!” She screamed again as she pounded her fists on the ledge.

 

“Rayne?” AJ spoke from beside her and she looked at him, she could tell he was in pain.  “Oh Rayne.” He said with a frown as he reached up to her and pulled her into his arms.

 

“I just wanted to get away from him.” She whimpered.

 

“I know beautiful we’ll get her back.” He said as she felt his hand slid down the back of her head.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 23 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 23

           

            AJ sat stretched out on the couch in their room in Winnol.  The search parties were out searching, the patrols were out looking all over Kalica but he lied here waiting for one reason.  Rayne.  As he laid back, his arms tucked behind his head and he stared at the bathroom door his mind drifted back to moments ago.

 

            He stared at Eva as she looked out the window, the window where her daughter was taken.  He watched as the rage rushed through her and her head slowly turned to Rayne.  She stood in his arms, shaking and still lightly crying but when Eva looked at her he felt his wife’s body stiffen.

 

“How could you be so selfish?” Eva gritted through her teeth.

 

“Eva, she didn’t think…”

 

Nalia’s Mother interrupted him.  “That is the point Alexander she did not think.”

 

“I am so sorry Eva” Rayne whimpered as her voice cracked.

 

“Sorry?  Sorry that you put my daughter’s life at risk just to save your hide!” Eva shouted at Rayne. “You think because of what Pixca did to you that you are special? That your life means more than my Nalia’s?” Eva yelled.

 

“That is enough Eva” AJ said sternly but the damage was done.  Rayne broke from his embrace and bolted out of the room.  “I know you are upset Eva but you have no right to say that to her.”

 

“You will not tell me how to feel!” Eva snapped.  “Now get out of my sight!”

 

AJ left and was told by the guard at the Winnol globe that Rayne had gone through.  He decided to check their room before heading to the park to see where she was.  When he opened the door he found his wife sitting on the floor crying.  He walked over to her and knelt down as she turned to him.  She looked at him with guilt and sadness before falling into his arms crying. 

 

After he had held her for a while, when her cries had subsided, and she seemed to be calmer he pulled her away.  Her eyes were puffy, red and wet.  Leaning forward he gently kissed her on the forehead.  “Go have a hot bath and I will get the bed ready.”

 

“I want to look…” But he interrupted her.

 

“Go have a hot bath and I will get the bed ready, you are too upset to be doing anything right now.” He told her as he wiped her tears away.

 

Now he lied here waiting for her to get out, he was starting to wonder if he should go in and get her but then the door opened and she walked out.  Her robe was wrapped tightly around her; her hair was damp and hung straight down.  He stood up and walked over to her; he slid his arm behind her and walked her over to the couch.  Sitting them down he brushed a piece of her hair behind her ear.

 

“Eva is hurt and scared; she didn’t mean what she said.” He told her.

 

“Why not it is the truth.” Rayne whispered.  “How could I be so stupid?”

 

“What made you think to say it anyways?” He asked.

 

“Marsa” Rayne said with a sigh.  “Just before he left he made a comment.”

 

“What did he say?” AJ asked.

 

“He told me Tas said that just because she has passed…she still wants…” She paused still a little embarrassed.  “She said she still wants grandchildren.”

 

“Oh” AJ replied not expecting that.

 

“And when I was with Nick it just sort of popped into my head, I panicked and blurted it out.” She told him.  “Alex if something happens to her…” Her eyes closed.  “I will never forgive myself.”

 

“You said Nick was still fighting right?” He said to her as she looked at him and lightly nodded.  “Ok so maybe that part of Nick will protect her knowing we will be coming for her, if he does think she is pregnant he would not let anything happened to her, Demon or no Demon.”

 

“I hope you are right.” She whispered and it made him frown.

 

Maybe she needed to get her mind off of it.  “So can I ask what you and Marsa talked about?”

 

At first he didn’t think she was going to say anything but then she spoke.  “I asked him about Dyn.”

 

“And?” He asked waiting.

 

“He said Dyn was himself, that he is who he says he is.” Rayne said and AJ felt some anger flow through him.  He had thought the man who claimed to be his brother was nothing more than a ploy, a demon, or something Rossi or Loki had conjured up.  Now he knew otherwise.  “He said Pixca did bring him back.”

 

“Shocking she lied again.” AJ said with bitterness. 

 

“She wanted us to be distracted by him and stop prying into who she was.” Rayne told him and he fumed even more.

 

“Wonderful” AJ sighed irritated by more lies.  “Well he did help get Nick back…”

 

She interrupted him. “I do not want him here.” AJ looked at her a little shocked.  “That was Pixca, she sent me to get him when I went after Nick because when I look at him all I see is what he tried to do to me…” She stopped and he watched the pain etch across her eyes.  “He is responsible for what he did, he is the reason your Father is dead put him in jail I do not care but I do not want to see him anymore.”

 

“Alright, I will talk to Avit later today.” AJ said with a nod, he was concerned over how frightened she sounded.  “So…” AJ said getting her mind of the subject.  “Grandbabies huh?”

 

“Pardon? Oh, yes” She replied with a light nod.

 

“I guess we really haven’t talked about it at all.” AJ said as she stood up.  “Where are you going?” He asked as he watched her walk behind the couch.  He spun around to get a better view. 

 

“Going to get dress.” She replied as she walked over to her tall dresser.

 

“Rayne you should really stay here, you need to relax and…”

 

She interrupted him.  “I need to find Nalia.”

 

“They are out looking for her.” AJ told her as he stood up and walked over to her.

 

“They are not me; they can not see what the trees see or what the birds see.” She said as she took off her robe and slipped her dress on.  He knew there was no way he was going to talk her out of it, the guilt was far out weighing anything he could do to make her change her mind.  So he let her get dressed and he let her leave the room.  Following quietly beside her they left the Castle in Winnol and took the globe to Hevi.  They made their way through the Palace luckily not running into Eva at all.  When they walked outside of the Palace AJ looked at his wife.

 

“Where are we starting?” AJ asked.

 

“We will go outside of the city and walk behind the Palace, Nalia’s window faces north, and there must be something there that saw which way they left.” She told him as she looked at him.

 

“Okay” He replied with a light nod and he notice she stared at him for a moment and then lightly smiled.  He smiled back and took her hand as they stepped down the stone stairs in front of the Palace doors.  AJ knew there was no stopping her so instead of fighting he followed and made sure she was ok.

 

They walked along the stone wall and followed the path to the back of the Palace.  When they reached a spot near the north end of the wall Rayne stopped and he watched as she placed her hand gently against the tree.  A second later she looked up into the branches and stared.  A moment later she looked down and turned her head to him.

 

“We are close to Nalia’s window.” She said as he walked over to her.

 

“Do you know which way he went?”

 

“They say west towards the coast.” She replied and she started walking in that direction.

 

“Rayne you’re not thinking of walking around…”

 

She interrupted him.  “They will show me the way”

 

“Rayne” AJ sighed.  “Rayne” He said again as he chased after her.

 

“Why are you trying to stop me now?” She asked as he gently grabbed her by the arms.

 

“Do you even know what we are going to do when we get there?” He asked.

 

“Yes” She replied with certainty.  “Get Nalia back.”

 

“How, against who? Rossi’s army? Nick, the way Nick is now?” He asked in almost a pleading tone.  “We can’t do this on our own, Guardians or not, we need help Rayne?”

 

“This is my fault I need to fix this.” Rayne said and he saw the sadness in her eyes.

 

“I know you feel that way Beautiful but we can’t jump into this, we need to understand more about Loki, we need to know more about if we can save Nick. Let Eva track them down, our Gryphon’s are out there too.”  He told her

 

“She will not tell me if they found anything, she hates me right now.” Rayne sighed.

 

“Give her time to cool down.”

 

“And what about Loki the only one who knew him was Pixca, how can we get answers about him?” She asked and he was about the reply until he saw the look on her face.

 

“What?” He asked confused.

 

“Marsa…” She paused.  “I asked him what we were to do now, how do we fight the Drak’nor if we know nothing about them, about the world we use to have.”

 

“And what did he say?”

 

“He said that to get our answers about the Drak’nor we would have to go to Loki himself, but to find the answers of the world, just ask it and it will tell me.” She replied. “He made it seem like there was more out there.”

 

“More?”

 

“More land, more trees, more places we have never seen before because of Pixca.” She told him.

 

“Like she kept you all in a bubble.” He replied understanding.  “But what could be out there?”

 

“Perhaps there are buildings that were forgotten and not yet destroyed. Answers and clues to our past our real past.” She said and he saw a little bit of hope in her eyes.  “But we need to get Nalia back what if Loki does something to her too?”

 

He looked at her, the hope he saw only a second ago was gone and he took a deep breath.  “We will need to get some things first, if we’re going to be out all night.”

 

“Okay” She agreed with a light nod and then she slipped her arms around him, pulling herself against him.  “Ready.” She said looking up at him.

 

With a light smile he teleported them away back to Winnol where they could get supplies.  They both dispersed around the room when they arrived and began collecting their belongings and packing them away in a bag they each had.

 

“I should go down to my office and pull out the maps of Kalica I have.” AJ told her as he walked over to the door.  When he opened it he stopped dead.

 

“Hi” He said as Kevin, his friends and their wives stare back at him.

 

“We hear Nalia’s missing, Nick took her.”

 

“Yeah” AJ said as he quickly looked back at Rayne.

 

“Are you going with the search parties?” Leigh-Anne asked.

 

“No” AJ replied.  “We are going on our own.”

 

“Why?” Kevin asked as he looked at AJ and then to Rayne as she walked up to them.

 

“Eva blames me for what happened; she will not let me near the Palace right now.” Rayne told them.  “And I do agree with her it is my fault…”

 

“Rayne” AJ sighed but then thought twice about getting into it with her with his friends here.

“Alex and I are going to look on our own; the search parties would only hold us up.” She told them.

 

“Well then we’re coming too.” Kevin said as Howie nodded.

 

“Look we really appreciate the help but…”

 

Kevin interrupted him. “No buts, Nalia is our friend and we want to help.”

 

“Kevin” AJ sighed.

 

“That’s Sir Kevin, remember that.” Kevin replied with a crooked smile.

 

“You did say we should not go on our own.” Rayne spoke up and AJ looked at her a little shocked but she did have a point.

 

“Alright go get the things you will need, we’ll be camping out tonight.” AJ told them.

 

“Okay we’ll meet ya right here.” Kevin told them as everyone started to head to their rooms.

 

“Are you sure?” AJ asked as he looked at Rayne.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “I would much rather bring them with us then some guards and such, besides they know Nick just as well as you do.”

 

AJ and Rayne finished gathering their supplies and then headed out into the hall.  The others still weren’t around so they set down their bags and waited.  When they had waited a few moments AJ turned to her.

 

“I’m going to see if they’re ready.” He told her.

 

“Alright” She replied with a light smile. 

 

Giving her a quick kiss he walked over to Kevin’s door and knocked.  When Kevin shouted for him to come in he opened the door and proceeded into the room.  Kristin was closing up a bag and Kevin was standing waiting holding her quiver of Arrows. 

 

“Ready?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah we’re good.” Kevin nodded as his wife walked over to them.  “So what’s this about Eva being mad at Rayne?”

 

“Long story dude.” AJ sighed. “I’ll have time to explain it later.”

 

“If we see you later.” Kristin mumbled.

 

“Huh?” AJ replied confused.

 

“Kris” Kevin sighed and AJ’s eyes darted between the two.

 

“What do you mean, if?” He asked as he looked at his friends.

 

“Well I mean it’s not like you’ve spent much time with us since we’ve been here.” Kevin said as he looked from his wife to AJ.

 

“I’ve been busy.” AJ replied.  “I told you when you got here, I have this life now…”

 

“I know man but besides from a few dinners here and there all we get from you is a Hi.” Kevin said as AJ started getting annoyed.

 

AJ was about to reply when a shout from the hallway interrupted him.  “Do not touch me!”

 

“Rayne” AJ said quickly when he recognized the voice and bolted into the hallway.  He heard Kevin and Kristin follow him and when he stopped dead, the two friends almost slammed into him as he stared at Dyn.  His Brother hadn’t notice he had come out yet because he was being berated by Rayne.

 

“Because of reasons beyond my control I was friendly too you once but now I am telling you Dyn Breezewalker, you will keep your hands off me, you will not look at me, you will not acknowledge me as anything but Queen.  You are not my friend, you are not my family, you are the man who tried to hurt me in the worse possible way, and you are the man that killed King Marsa as far as I am concerned Dyn your Brother has shown you too much compassion.” 

 

“After everything I have done for you?” Dyn said in a calm tone.

 

“Done for me? What have you done for me Dyn? Beside give me nightmares and cause me to flinch even when my husband touches me.”

 

Dyn’s finger went up into Rayne’s face and AJ had seen enough and dashed over to his brother.  “You were a loner when you came to this city…” Dyn’s voice was cut off as AJ grabbed his robe and slammed him into the wall.

 

“Rayne’s right” AJ gritted through his teeth.  “I have been far to compassionate towards you.” He hissed and he read the look on Dyn’s face.  “What Brother, looks like you have something you want to say? Wanna call me an imposter? Tell me you are the real King?” AJ shouted.

 

“Sir?” Avit’s voice said beside him and he turned to look at his General.  When he did Dyn sent out a frost bolt into his stomach and AJ dropped to the ground.  He heard people struggling around him and then he heard shouting.

 

“Damn it where did he go!?” He heard Avit shout as he started to recover from the cheap shot.

 

“Alex are you ok?” Kevin said as he looked up at his friend.

 

“Yeah, I’m fine” AJ said as he leaned on Kevin to help him up.  He looked around the hallway and saw his friends all standing there looking at him, even the ones who were still getting ready were now there staring.  He looked at them confused, their faces showed worry and sadness and then he realized there was one face not looking at him.  “Where’s Rayne?” AJ asked knowing now what the commotion was.

 

“He teleported with her.” Kevin said as AJ’s heart sank.

 

“No” AJ sighed.  “Avit he could be anywhere.”

 

“I know” Avit replied with a solemn frown.

 

 

Chapter 24 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 24

           

            “Don’tcha be getting cocky!” Nick heard Rossi shout as the door slammed behind him and his Father left the room.  With a sigh he fell back onto his bed.  How much longer did he have to pretend to obey him.  He needed an army and right now he didn’t have time to deal with the fallout of just killing Rossi.  They would probably loose more man that way than just having Rossi lead them, or think he was anyways. 

 

            After he had flown away with Nalia from Kalica and landed on Rossi’s ship, the dwarf was furious Nick had wasted so much energy going after her, he was still mad that he had to send men after him when his energy began to wane out in Winnol.

 

“The Dwarf in him is still fighting ya can’t be runnin’ around like a blasted pup!” Rossi yelled at him.

 

First he was sleeping lost in a fun little game with Rayne.  Well until she told him about Nalia and then that stupid little dwarf started fighting.  Then the next thing he knew he was on his way to get Nalia and bring her back here. Now she was sleeping on the couch.

 

“I could kill her just like that.” He said snapping his fingers.  “Maybe I should, I’m sure you’d just give up and let go with nothing to fight for.”  He felt a tingle inside him and he smiled with an arrogant laugh.  “I heard they all fight but they all fail, this is who they are, the Drak’nors.  They don’t kill they just absorb.”  He looked over at Nalia and then continued to talk to himself.  “I wonder what would happen if Loki took her?”  His eyes locked onto hers.  “I wonder what would happen to the baby?”

 

With a slither of a snake he stood up from the bed and walked over towards her as she lied sleeping on the couch.  His eyes scanned her body as he leaned closer to her.  His hands drifted up her stomach his fingers lightly touching her robe.  They trickled their way over her breasts and under her neck.  With one last look at her peaceful face he clamped his hands down around her neck and began to squeeze. 

 

In a second her hands were around his wrists and she fought against him.  She gasped for air as her body twisted and turned under him.  He watched as her face turned red and then purple.  Her face seemed to swell a little and a small demented laugh broke from his lips.

 


“Nick…please.” She gasped out as spit gurgled from her mouth. 

 

He felt a tingle but he ignored it.  Her hands began to weaken their grip and he felt the tingle again.  A sharp pain ripped through his body and he let go as he fell back stumbling.  His body hit something and he heard a crashing sound as he felt a couple of things fall onto his head.  Out of instinct his body collapsed to the ground.

 

“Nick?” He heard Nalia say her voice was raspy and weak.

 

Nalia, how he missed her and if he didn’t know any better the pain he was feeling was from being away from her.  He opened his eyes even though he knew the light that beamed through the window would cause his throbbing head to explode he didn’t care.  He needed to see her.  His eyes opened and he looked across from him.  There she sat on the floor holding her throat as she looked at him, well what would be looking if she could see him.

 

Son or Daughter.” Rayne’s voice echoed in his ears.

 

A bolt of pain ripped through his head and he grabbed it as he moaned.  His head dropped and he started to lie down on the floor.  Like his body was telling him it would feel better if he was lying down.

 

“Nickolas talk to me please.” Nalia said and he looked up at her.  “Please Nick I need to know you are still here.” She said and he heard her voice crack.

 

“I…” His throat went dry and the sound felt like it ripped his brain apart.  “I’m here.” He moaned out.  When he heard the sound of something scurrying across the floor he opened his eyes again and saw Nalia crawling over to him. Slowly he sat up and as he did she reached him.  Her arms wrapped around his neck and for a second the pain went away.

 

“Tell me how to help you.” She whispered through her tears.  “Tell me what I need to do.”

 

The pain started to come back and it started to come back ten fold.  He had to tell her how, he had to get it out before it was too late and she disappeared again.  “Alex…” He grunted out.  “He can see…”

 

“See?” She replied confused.  “See what?”

 

The pain blocked out anything more she said and he began to fold into himself as his body was over whelmed.  He tried to fight it but the more he did the darker everything became until…

 

“Nickolas, talk to me please.” Nalia said as he sat up.

 

He started laughing.  “Sometimes my stubbornness is a downfall.” He sighed as he got to his feet.  Then he reached down and grabbed Nalia by the arms and pulled her up.  She shouted in fright.  “Now what to do with you?” He said as his eyes drifted down her face. “This would be so much easier if there wasn’t a baby involved.”

 

“Baby?” Nalia replied confused.

 

“Don’t you deny it, your friend Rayne let the secret out.” Nick said to her.  “Granted the transformation is taking longer because of it, it will still happen. But what to do about the two of you is another question” He said as he pushed her down to the ground. A small smile broke from his lips when he heard her grunt as she hit the floor. He opened the doors to his room and walked out, not once looking back.

 

When she heard the door close she broke down into tears.  For a moment she held him, for a moment he was back in her arms but now he was gone again. She was alone, scared and it had been a long time since she felt that way.  Her mind played his words in her head.

 

“This would be so much easier if there wasn’t a baby involved.”

 

She sat on the floor confused still a little shaken up from waking up the way she did.  Why would he be talking about a baby, what did he mean Rayne let the secret out.  Then her mind played back a memory. He had just taken her from her room, they were on some sort of flying animal and she could hear Rayne screaming for her.  The tone in Rayne’s voice was regret and pain and she didn’t understand why.

 

“He thinks I am with child?” She whispered to herself and then it hit her.  “He…thinks I am with child, is that why Nick has been fighting?”

 

Just then there was a commotion outside of her door.  Carefully and quietly she made her way over to the door.  Slowly walking, carefully stepping, making sure not to knock anything over and draw attention to herself. She made her way towards the doors and the closer she got the more she could hear.

 

“Now where ye be going?” She heard Rossi say.

 

“I’m going for a walk” Nick snapped.

 

“Last time ya went for one we had to pick you up in Winnol.” Rossi barked.

 

“Whatever just worry about the army.” Nick sighed.

 

“Aye and what about her?” Rossi asked.

 

“She’s blind and we’re on a ship in the middle of the ocean.” Nick said and then she heard footsteps walking away.

 

“Rayne…” Nalia said as she began to feel her way around the room.  She followed the walls until her hands reached glass.  Her hands searched for something to open the window.  When something metal drifted across her finger tips she let a small smile escape her lips.  Undoing the latch she pushed on the windows and slowly leaned her head out.  She could hear the sounds around her the crashing of the waves against the boat, the squawk of the seabirds above her and the sound of the men above deck.

 

“Please tell her I am here, tell her where I am.” She whispered as she watched some sea birds fly past.

 

“Do you need something?” Nick’s voice said from behind her and she jumped right into his arms. “What were you doing?”

 

“I…I…” Her mind raced with an explanation.  “I…I was getting some air, feeling a little light headed.” She replied.  “I guess it…it is from the baby.”

 

It didn’t matter to her where the lie came from, why Nick thought she was pregnant, what matters is that he believes it and as long as he does, he will keep fighting.  She knew he would so if she needed to play along she would.

 

“I’m going out.” He said as he moved her over to the bed, there was no loving touch and no loving tone in his voice.  “I don’t know when I’ll be back and I can’t promise Rossi will feed you, he’s pretty pissed you’re here at all.” Nick said and she heard the window close and lock.  “If you feel light headed again, the bath is on the left side of the room, use it.”

 

A moment later she heard the bedroom doors close and realized he had left the room.  She breathed a sigh of relief that he hadn’t clued in to what she was doing.  Lying down on the bed she hoped and prayed Rayne and Alex would find her soon. 

 

“Alex…He can see.” Nick’s voice repeated in her head.

 

 

Rayne felt the breeze on her face and she opened her eyes, she didn’t know where they had popped up and she didn’t care.  Opening her mouth slightly she bit down on his fingers and Dyn shouted in pain. He quickly let go of her as he did she brought her leg up behind her and kicked him away.  Spinning around she made sure she got him in her sights.

 

“What exactly do you think you are doing!?” Rayne snapped as Dyn tried to catch his breath.

 

“I wanted you to see.” Dyn said.

 

“See? See what?” Rayne snapped.

 

“I do not mean you any harm Rayne.” Dyn said as he tried to take a step towards her but she stepped back, keeping him at a small distance. 

 

Rayne broke out in laughter.  “You could not hurt me even if you tried. I am not the weak fragile girl I was a year ago on that boat.”

 

“Rayne.” Dyn sighed.  “I told you that was not me.”

 

“Not you!” Rayne shouted.  “Do you think I am that stupid Dyn?  You were not being controlled by anyone. You are the one who dragged me onto that ship and you are the one who attacked me, who tried to…” She paused and it was a long enough pause for her tears to catch up with her.  “You were my best friend next to Nalia.”

 

“And at one point you loved me.” Dyn said to her and she saw the hope in his eyes.

 

“At one point yes but not now and not ever, not after what you did.” Rayne told him as she wiped her tears.

 

“I can not tell you why I did what I did because I do not know.” Dyn said trying once again to touch her and this annoyed her.  “I saw my Mother and my Sister get crushed by a falling building, he was the reason they were there in the first place, he knew the danger and he let them go anyways.” Dyn said bitterly.  “I had a year to sit and think, I was angry and hurt and….”

 

She interrupted him.  “I do not care!” She yelled at him.  “I have heard this all before Dyn and nothing will make me change my mind or make me forget what you did, or tried to do, to me.”  After a moment she spoke up again.  “Now take me home please.”  Dyn said nothing.  “Did you hear me Dyn Breezewalker? I said take me home.”

 

“Why?” Dyn said and he looked at her “Take you home so I can go sit in a jail cell.”

 

“It is where you deserve to be.” Rayne said angrily.  “You killed your Father.”

 

“He sent my Mother and…”

 

“I am so sick and tired of hearing about Tsa and Nati.” Rayne shouted at him.  “I will tell you now the same thing I told you when you left for Pomic.  They went on their own accord, maybe Marsa did know about the risks but we could not live our lives in a bubble.”  She stopped and looked at him, he said nothing just stared at her.  “And what about your Brother.”

 

“He is not my Brother!” Dyn snapped.

 

“He is your Brother!” Rayne snapped back as she took a step forward and got right in his face. “Alexander is your Brother and you took his Father away.  A loving, caring, and amazing Father from him and it was not like he grew up with one like you did Dyn.”

 

“Well then there is another thing Father is at fault for because he sent him away.” Dyn mumbled.

 

“Are you responsible for anything?” Rayne shouted.  “Everything that you have done to me, to your Brother and to your Father is someone else’s fault.”

 

“Rayne” Dyn said as he grabbed her hand. 

 

With one quick motion Rayne lifted her free hand and sent her wraith spell slamming into his chest.  The man was pushed back from the force of the spell and crashed hard into the ground.  She did not move as he gasped for air and tried to get to his feet.

 

“I will tell you again do not put your hands on me” She said with a bitter anger.  “You can not even comprehend what I can do to you Dyn.”

 

“You will not hurt me.” Dyn replied still a little breathless.  “Somewhere deep down you still love me, it is why I never went to jail, it is why I am still living in the castle and it is most likely why you settled for my Brother.”

 

Rayne felt the rage rise up in her and then she heard the sound of ground breaking, thick, heavy vines came up from the ground and trapped him.  He started yelling, twisting and turning to get out of the vine trap but he could not.  A moonbeam spell came crashing down onto him and he shouted in pain.

 

“You think I still love you.” Rayne hissed through her teeth.  “You make me sick Dyn Breezewalker.” Another moonbeam spell came crashing down, he yelled out in pain again, and then he was hit with another spell.  Tears streamed down her cheeks, her breathing was heavy and sporadic, and her jaw was tightly clinched.  “I want you dead, I want you gone and if I have to do it myself than so be it.”

 

“Well well well look what we have here.” A voice said from behind them and Rayne spun around to see Nick standing there.  “Aww Rayne why are you so sad?” He said with a frown. He then looked over at Dyn lying on the ground.  “Oh that’s why.” He replied and she could hear the sarcasm in his voice.

 

With her attention on Nick her spell on Dyn let go.  The vines release and the man slowly rolled over moaning in pain.  “Felt good huh?” Nick said as Rayne stared at him.  “Making him pay for what he did to you.  I’m sorry I distracted you, please continue.”

 

With an angry yell Rayne sent her arm out and released a wraith spell at Nick but it did nothing.  He waved his arm and the spell dispersed before it even hit him. Rayne’s anger grew as Nick stood there laughing at her.  The rage began to flow through her again, her fists clenched, her jaw tightened and then the ground started shaking.  She stared at Nick as he looked around confused and then he turned around.  There behind him were to giant trees walking towards them.

 

“Look familiar.” Rayne hissed angrily.

 

“Go ahead kill me.” Nick replied.  “But when I don’t return Rossi will kill Nalia.”

 

“He will try.” Rayne shot back.

 

“And what of the baby?” Nick said and the memory of the secret came back to her.  The thought distracted her and he took that moment to attack.  His drain spell wrapped around her and began to suck her energy from her to him.  She grunted as she dropped to her knees, her body becoming tired and weak.  Then the spell was gone and she collapsed to the ground.  She looked up and saw Dyn and Nick going at it.  Spells were flying everywhere and both men were holding their own.

 

“Jeez Dyn you can have her when I’m done.” Nick shouted at him.

 

“You will not harm her.” Dyn snapped back.

 

“Ok, I mean you are so much better at it than I am.” Nick replied with a sigh.

 

A frost bolt came flying at Nick and he almost didn’t block it in time.  Dyn ran at Nick ready to attack him not with spells but with his hands. It was a mistake.  Nick grabbed him and as soon as he did he began to suck the life from Dyn.

 

“Kind of like Déjà vu.” Nick said as he looked at the man and then his head turned to Rayne.  “So, what will it be Rayne?” He asked. “You can fight me and try to save him and yourself or you could walk away right now, while I drain the life out of him.”

 

With the anger still running through her she stared at both men and pondered the question.  Walking away would be so much easier, let Nick kill Dyn and be done with it.  But could she really do that, could she willingly let her former friend die.

 

“Rayne…p-p-please.” Dyn choked out.

 

The memory of the pain, the fear and the hurt of a friend’s betrayal returned. With a deep breath she looked Dyn right in the eyes and said.  “Perhaps now you will understand.”  And with those words she turned and began walking.  The sound of Dyn screaming tore at her so she picked up her dress and began to run.  She ran until her lungs felt like they were drying up, she ran until she felt like she was going to throw up but not once did she look back.

 

Rayne dropped to the ground with exhaustion.  She tried opening her eyes to look and see where she was but all she saw was something big and furry.  A snarl echoed in her ears and the feeling of something cold and wet on her neck.

 

“Rest Milady, we will take care of you.” The voice said and she relaxed letting her body drift off into slumber.

 

Chapter 25 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 24

           

            “Don’tcha be getting cocky!” Nick heard Rossi shout as the door slammed behind him and his Father left the room.  With a sigh he fell back onto his bed.  How much longer did he have to pretend to obey him.  He needed an army and right now he didn’t have time to deal with the fallout of just killing Rossi.  They would probably loose more man that way than just having Rossi lead them, or think he was anyways. 

 

            After he had flown away with Nalia from Kalica and landed on Rossi’s ship, the dwarf was furious Nick had wasted so much energy going after her, he was still mad that he had to send men after him when his energy began to wane out in Winnol.

 

“The Dwarf in him is still fighting ya can’t be runnin’ around like a blasted pup!” Rossi yelled at him.

 

First he was sleeping lost in a fun little game with Rayne.  Well until she told him about Nalia and then that stupid little dwarf started fighting.  Then the next thing he knew he was on his way to get Nalia and bring her back here. Now she was sleeping on the couch.

 

“I could kill her just like that.” He said snapping his fingers.  “Maybe I should, I’m sure you’d just give up and let go with nothing to fight for.”  He felt a tingle inside him and he smiled with an arrogant laugh.  “I heard they all fight but they all fail, this is who they are, the Drak’nors.  They don’t kill they just absorb.”  He looked over at Nalia and then continued to talk to himself.  “I wonder what would happen if Loki took her?”  His eyes locked onto hers.  “I wonder what would happen to the baby?”

 

With a slither of a snake he stood up from the bed and walked over towards her as she lied sleeping on the couch.  His eyes scanned her body as he leaned closer to her.  His hands drifted up her stomach his fingers lightly touching her robe.  They trickled their way over her breasts and under her neck.  With one last look at her peaceful face he clamped his hands down around her neck and began to squeeze. 

 

In a second her hands were around his wrists and she fought against him.  She gasped for air as her body twisted and turned under him.  He watched as her face turned red and then purple.  Her face seemed to swell a little and a small demented laugh broke from his lips.

 


“Nick…please.” She gasped out as spit gurgled from her mouth. 

 

He felt a tingle but he ignored it.  Her hands began to weaken their grip and he felt the tingle again.  A sharp pain ripped through his body and he let go as he fell back stumbling.  His body hit something and he heard a crashing sound as he felt a couple of things fall onto his head.  Out of instinct his body collapsed to the ground.

 

“Nick?” He heard Nalia say her voice was raspy and weak.

 

Nalia, how he missed her and if he didn’t know any better the pain he was feeling was from being away from her.  He opened his eyes even though he knew the light that beamed through the window would cause his throbbing head to explode he didn’t care.  He needed to see her.  His eyes opened and he looked across from him.  There she sat on the floor holding her throat as she looked at him, well what would be looking if she could see him.

 

Son or Daughter.” Rayne’s voice echoed in his ears.

 

A bolt of pain ripped through his head and he grabbed it as he moaned.  His head dropped and he started to lie down on the floor.  Like his body was telling him it would feel better if he was lying down.

 

“Nickolas talk to me please.” Nalia said and he looked up at her.  “Please Nick I need to know you are still here.” She said and he heard her voice crack.

 

“I…” His throat went dry and the sound felt like it ripped his brain apart.  “I’m here.” He moaned out.  When he heard the sound of something scurrying across the floor he opened his eyes again and saw Nalia crawling over to him. Slowly he sat up and as he did she reached him.  Her arms wrapped around his neck and for a second the pain went away.

 

“Tell me how to help you.” She whispered through her tears.  “Tell me what I need to do.”

 

The pain started to come back and it started to come back ten fold.  He had to tell her how, he had to get it out before it was too late and she disappeared again.  “Alex…” He grunted out.  “He can see…”

 

“See?” She replied confused.  “See what?”

 

The pain blocked out anything more she said and he began to fold into himself as his body was over whelmed.  He tried to fight it but the more he did the darker everything became until…

 

“Nickolas, talk to me please.” Nalia said as he sat up.

 

He started laughing.  “Sometimes my stubbornness is a downfall.” He sighed as he got to his feet.  Then he reached down and grabbed Nalia by the arms and pulled her up.  She shouted in fright.  “Now what to do with you?” He said as his eyes drifted down her face. “This would be so much easier if there wasn’t a baby involved.”

 

“Baby?” Nalia replied confused.

 

“Don’t you deny it, your friend Rayne let the secret out.” Nick said to her.  “Granted the transformation is taking longer because of it, it will still happen. But what to do about the two of you is another question” He said as he pushed her down to the ground. A small smile broke from his lips when he heard her grunt as she hit the floor. He opened the doors to his room and walked out, not once looking back.

 

When she heard the door close she broke down into tears.  For a moment she held him, for a moment he was back in her arms but now he was gone again. She was alone, scared and it had been a long time since she felt that way.  Her mind played his words in her head.

 

“This would be so much easier if there wasn’t a baby involved.”

 

She sat on the floor confused still a little shaken up from waking up the way she did.  Why would he be talking about a baby, what did he mean Rayne let the secret out.  Then her mind played back a memory. He had just taken her from her room, they were on some sort of flying animal and she could hear Rayne screaming for her.  The tone in Rayne’s voice was regret and pain and she didn’t understand why.

 

“He thinks I am with child?” She whispered to herself and then it hit her.  “He…thinks I am with child, is that why Nick has been fighting?”

 

Just then there was a commotion outside of her door.  Carefully and quietly she made her way over to the door.  Slowly walking, carefully stepping, making sure not to knock anything over and draw attention to herself. She made her way towards the doors and the closer she got the more she could hear.

 

“Now where ye be going?” She heard Rossi say.

 

“I’m going for a walk” Nick snapped.

 

“Last time ya went for one we had to pick you up in Winnol.” Rossi barked.

 

“Whatever just worry about the army.” Nick sighed.

 

“Aye and what about her?” Rossi asked.

 

“She’s blind and we’re on a ship in the middle of the ocean.” Nick said and then she heard footsteps walking away.

 

“Rayne…” Nalia said as she began to feel her way around the room.  She followed the walls until her hands reached glass.  Her hands searched for something to open the window.  When something metal drifted across her finger tips she let a small smile escape her lips.  Undoing the latch she pushed on the windows and slowly leaned her head out.  She could hear the sounds around her the crashing of the waves against the boat, the squawk of the seabirds above her and the sound of the men above deck.

 

“Please tell her I am here, tell her where I am.” She whispered as she watched some sea birds fly past.

 

“Do you need something?” Nick’s voice said from behind her and she jumped right into his arms. “What were you doing?”

 

“I…I…” Her mind raced with an explanation.  “I…I was getting some air, feeling a little light headed.” She replied.  “I guess it…it is from the baby.”

 

It didn’t matter to her where the lie came from, why Nick thought she was pregnant, what matters is that he believes it and as long as he does, he will keep fighting.  She knew he would so if she needed to play along she would.

 

“I’m going out.” He said as he moved her over to the bed, there was no loving touch and no loving tone in his voice.  “I don’t know when I’ll be back and I can’t promise Rossi will feed you, he’s pretty pissed you’re here at all.” Nick said and she heard the window close and lock.  “If you feel light headed again, the bath is on the left side of the room, use it.”

 

A moment later she heard the bedroom doors close and realized he had left the room.  She breathed a sigh of relief that he hadn’t clued in to what she was doing.  Lying down on the bed she hoped and prayed Rayne and Alex would find her soon. 

 

“Alex…He can see.” Nick’s voice repeated in her head.

 

 

Rayne felt the breeze on her face and she opened her eyes, she didn’t know where they had popped up and she didn’t care.  Opening her mouth slightly she bit down on his fingers and Dyn shouted in pain. He quickly let go of her as he did she brought her leg up behind her and kicked him away.  Spinning around she made sure she got him in her sights.

 

“What exactly do you think you are doing!?” Rayne snapped as Dyn tried to catch his breath.

 

“I wanted you to see.” Dyn said.

 

“See? See what?” Rayne snapped.

 

“I do not mean you any harm Rayne.” Dyn said as he tried to take a step towards her but she stepped back, keeping him at a small distance. 

 

Rayne broke out in laughter.  “You could not hurt me even if you tried. I am not the weak fragile girl I was a year ago on that boat.”

 

“Rayne.” Dyn sighed.  “I told you that was not me.”

 

“Not you!” Rayne shouted.  “Do you think I am that stupid Dyn?  You were not being controlled by anyone. You are the one who dragged me onto that ship and you are the one who attacked me, who tried to…” She paused and it was a long enough pause for her tears to catch up with her.  “You were my best friend next to Nalia.”

 

“And at one point you loved me.” Dyn said to her and she saw the hope in his eyes.

 

“At one point yes but not now and not ever, not after what you did.” Rayne told him as she wiped her tears.

 

“I can not tell you why I did what I did because I do not know.” Dyn said trying once again to touch her and this annoyed her.  “I saw my Mother and my Sister get crushed by a falling building, he was the reason they were there in the first place, he knew the danger and he let them go anyways.” Dyn said bitterly.  “I had a year to sit and think, I was angry and hurt and….”

 

She interrupted him.  “I do not care!” She yelled at him.  “I have heard this all before Dyn and nothing will make me change my mind or make me forget what you did, or tried to do, to me.”  After a moment she spoke up again.  “Now take me home please.”  Dyn said nothing.  “Did you hear me Dyn Breezewalker? I said take me home.”

 

“Why?” Dyn said and he looked at her “Take you home so I can go sit in a jail cell.”

 

“It is where you deserve to be.” Rayne said angrily.  “You killed your Father.”

 

“He sent my Mother and…”

 

“I am so sick and tired of hearing about Tsa and Nati.” Rayne shouted at him.  “I will tell you now the same thing I told you when you left for Pomic.  They went on their own accord, maybe Marsa did know about the risks but we could not live our lives in a bubble.”  She stopped and looked at him, he said nothing just stared at her.  “And what about your Brother.”

 

“He is not my Brother!” Dyn snapped.

 

“He is your Brother!” Rayne snapped back as she took a step forward and got right in his face. “Alexander is your Brother and you took his Father away.  A loving, caring, and amazing Father from him and it was not like he grew up with one like you did Dyn.”

 

“Well then there is another thing Father is at fault for because he sent him away.” Dyn mumbled.

 

“Are you responsible for anything?” Rayne shouted.  “Everything that you have done to me, to your Brother and to your Father is someone else’s fault.”

 

“Rayne” Dyn said as he grabbed her hand. 

 

With one quick motion Rayne lifted her free hand and sent her wraith spell slamming into his chest.  The man was pushed back from the force of the spell and crashed hard into the ground.  She did not move as he gasped for air and tried to get to his feet.

 

“I will tell you again do not put your hands on me” She said with a bitter anger.  “You can not even comprehend what I can do to you Dyn.”

 

“You will not hurt me.” Dyn replied still a little breathless.  “Somewhere deep down you still love me, it is why I never went to jail, it is why I am still living in the castle and it is most likely why you settled for my Brother.”

 

Rayne felt the rage rise up in her and then she heard the sound of ground breaking, thick, heavy vines came up from the ground and trapped him.  He started yelling, twisting and turning to get out of the vine trap but he could not.  A moonbeam spell came crashing down onto him and he shouted in pain.

 

“You think I still love you.” Rayne hissed through her teeth.  “You make me sick Dyn Breezewalker.” Another moonbeam spell came crashing down, he yelled out in pain again, and then he was hit with another spell.  Tears streamed down her cheeks, her breathing was heavy and sporadic, and her jaw was tightly clinched.  “I want you dead, I want you gone and if I have to do it myself than so be it.”

 

“Well well well look what we have here.” A voice said from behind them and Rayne spun around to see Nick standing there.  “Aww Rayne why are you so sad?” He said with a frown. He then looked over at Dyn lying on the ground.  “Oh that’s why.” He replied and she could hear the sarcasm in his voice.

 

With her attention on Nick her spell on Dyn let go.  The vines release and the man slowly rolled over moaning in pain.  “Felt good huh?” Nick said as Rayne stared at him.  “Making him pay for what he did to you.  I’m sorry I distracted you, please continue.”

 

With an angry yell Rayne sent her arm out and released a wraith spell at Nick but it did nothing.  He waved his arm and the spell dispersed before it even hit him. Rayne’s anger grew as Nick stood there laughing at her.  The rage began to flow through her again, her fists clenched, her jaw tightened and then the ground started shaking.  She stared at Nick as he looked around confused and then he turned around.  There behind him were to giant trees walking towards them.

 

“Look familiar.” Rayne hissed angrily.

 

“Go ahead kill me.” Nick replied.  “But when I don’t return Rossi will kill Nalia.”

 

“He will try.” Rayne shot back.

 

“And what of the baby?” Nick said and the memory of the secret came back to her.  The thought distracted her and he took that moment to attack.  His drain spell wrapped around her and began to suck her energy from her to him.  She grunted as she dropped to her knees, her body becoming tired and weak.  Then the spell was gone and she collapsed to the ground.  She looked up and saw Dyn and Nick going at it.  Spells were flying everywhere and both men were holding their own.

 

“Jeez Dyn you can have her when I’m done.” Nick shouted at him.

 

“You will not harm her.” Dyn snapped back.

 

“Ok, I mean you are so much better at it than I am.” Nick replied with a sigh.

 

A frost bolt came flying at Nick and he almost didn’t block it in time.  Dyn ran at Nick ready to attack him not with spells but with his hands. It was a mistake.  Nick grabbed him and as soon as he did he began to suck the life from Dyn.

 

“Kind of like Déjà vu.” Nick said as he looked at the man and then his head turned to Rayne.  “So, what will it be Rayne?” He asked. “You can fight me and try to save him and yourself or you could walk away right now, while I drain the life out of him.”

 

With the anger still running through her she stared at both men and pondered the question.  Walking away would be so much easier, let Nick kill Dyn and be done with it.  But could she really do that, could she willingly let her former friend die.

 

“Rayne…p-p-please.” Dyn choked out.

 

The memory of the pain, the fear and the hurt of a friend’s betrayal returned. With a deep breath she looked Dyn right in the eyes and said.  “Perhaps now you will understand.”  And with those words she turned and began walking.  The sound of Dyn screaming tore at her so she picked up her dress and began to run.  She ran until her lungs felt like they were drying up, she ran until she felt like she was going to throw up but not once did she look back.

 

Rayne dropped to the ground with exhaustion.  She tried opening her eyes to look and see where she was but all she saw was something big and furry.  A snarl echoed in her ears and the feeling of something cold and wet on her neck.

 

“Rest Milady, we will take care of you.” The voice said and she relaxed letting her body drift off into slumber.

 

Chapter 26 by VeeLynn
>

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 26

           

            Rayne’s eyes slowly fluttered open.  It was dark and she could tell by the ground it was damp.  She could smell a fire burning and as she slowly sat up her eyes began to focus.  It looked like she was in a cave. Her mind raced back to the last thing it remembered, running. Running from Nick, running from Dyn, and running from the choice she made. She grabbed her head and tried to rub away the small throbbing pain.  The sound of shuffling feet broke her from her thoughts about her aching head and she looked up.

 

“You bumped your head a little when you fell.” The man said. “My name is Kimiri, I am of course Elvaan.”

 

Rayne looked up at him confused.  “Where am I?”

 

“Under the Tidas Ocean.” The man replied.

 

“Under the Tidas Ocean?” Rayne replied shocked.  That was the open waters between Winnol and Kalica.

 

The man nodded.  “We have been living here, watching and waiting.”

 

“I do not understand.” Rayne said still keeping her guard up.

 

“The Drak’nor, when they came here, we were all blind sided.” The man told her.  “Our lands we lavish, our people were happy, and none of us saw the war that was wage on us coming.” 

 

“You were here?” Rayne replied stunned.

 

“Yes, we are what are left of the Elvaan race before the Drak’nor came.”

 

“How did you get food and supplies?” She asked.

 

“Pixca did not know everything about us.” The man told her.  “She knew the basics of our magical professions but not everything.”

 

“I am still confused.” Rayne said and looked around a bit.

 

“You are a very powerful Druid Milady.” The man replied.  “You have evolved not into something Pixca had created but evolved into what the Druids use to be.”

 

“Use to be?”

 

The man nodded.  “We communicate with the animals and we can be these animals.”

 

“Be them” Rayne paused.  “You mean turn into them?”

 

“Yes” The man replied.  “We would watch the new people of Aurona in our animal forms, we would hunt and feed our people and no one was of the wiser.  We were just animals hunting to survive.”

 

“Aurona? Is that the name of this world?” She asked

 

“Yes” The man nodded with a proud smile. “You, Alexander, Nickolas, and Nalia have given us hope.” The man told her.  “Hope that we do not have to die here, hope that Aurona has not and will not be forgotten.”  The man stood up and reached out his hand to her.  “There are people who would like to meet you; there are Elvaans who would like to meet their Queen.”

 

“I do not think I am their Queen…”

 

He interrupted her.  “You have destroyed Ti’Hort, you have killed Pixca, now all that is left is Loki and we hope we can help with his death.”

 

Rayne looked at him.  She had been lied to before, she wasn’t sure if she could trust them but what choice did she have right now.  He helped her stand up and they began walking down the damp cave halls. 

 

“I know Alexander must be worried to death about you, we have been watching for search teams but we were wondering.” The man spoke and Rayne listened.  “We would like to show you how to transform, how to become one with your kindred spirit.  It may take a day or two; you are very powerful so we are not sure how long it will take you.”

 

“I know Alexander is worried but he knows I can take care of myself, I am sure he does have people out looking. Although I would hope he is searching for Nalia.” Rayne replied.

 

“Yes, she is on Rossi’s ship.” The man told her.

 

“She is? Well, where is his ship?” Rayne asked.

 

“It was above us for a while, on the Tidas Ocean but they moved, now anchored in a cove on a small island off of west Kalica.” He told her as they reached a stone blocking a cave entrance.  “We have Druids in their Sea Hawk forms watching over the ship.”

 

“You said I was not what Pixca had created but what the Druids use to be?” She asked.

 

The man nodded.  “Yes, she may have had some kind of controlling power over you, when she brought you back but she did not turn you into one of them, and there really was no such thing as a Dryad.”

 

“Than what am I?” Rayne asked a little annoyed. She was trying so hard to figure out who she was without Pixca and now she was being told she never really was that.

 

“Pixca brought out more of your Druid power.”

 

“But I change.”

 

“That was Pixca, that was her control and its effects on you.” He told her. “Have you done that since?”

 

She thought back to when Pixca died, then Alex and Nalia going to the Tree, Nick attacking her in the Springs, and then again in her dreams, and then she remembered fighting Dyn.  The Vines, the spells, and she realize she didn’t change at all.

 

“No I have not.” She replied.

 

The man smiled.  “Come, they are all eager to meet you.”

 

Rayne lightly smiled.  It was weird people she never even knew wanting and being excited to meet her.  Sure there were people in her Kingdoms she didn’t know but they were still her people, there was a familiarity there.  Now she wasn’t really sure what to do.

 

When Rayne walked through the door she walked into a room she did not expect to see.  It was large and they both stood on a wide landing, below them was a stone stage and in front of the stage were Elvaans about fifty of them.  They all turned and looked at her when Kimiri lead her down the stone steps.  One by one they began to kneel in front of her acknowledging her as a Queen.

 

“I was a baby when my Parents sought refuge here.  My Mother is still alive but my Father passed a couple of months ago.” He told her.  “Even though the Elvaan’s of Pixcadia live long lives, we found the Elvaans of Aurona live longer.”

 

“Perhaps that is a blessing.” Rayne replied.

 

“Perhaps yes.” He agreed.

 

“How many Elvaans are left?” She asked.

 

“About a hundred, these are mostly the Generations behind me, everyone else are tending to the writings.” He told her.

 

“Writings?” She asked.

 

“Everything we know about Aurona in case we did not survive to see the fall of the Drak’nor.” He said as he looked at her.

 

“Tell me who are we?” She asked wondering if these people were the answer Marsa was talking about.

 

“You are Pixca’s version of us, the people of Aurona but we were much more powerful than Pixca made you.” He told her.  “One, a couple could over power easily, millions of them were a little harder.” He said sadly.  “But we gave them a fight.”

 

Rayne lightly smiled.

 

“When she came back she recreated everything the way she remembered, the people the way she remembered and from what records she had stolen.” He told her. “But they obviously were not thorough when they looked into our cultures, or she would have known about our transformations.”

 

“But the war between the Humans and the Dwarves.” She said trying to line things up, trying to understand. “And Ignis?”

 

“She came back a couple of months after they all had left.” He told her.  “It took her about a year to restore everything she could.  The people just began there lives, woke up and went to work, went to tend to their farms without thinking twice.” He said as she listened.  “She created the Guardians so people would have hope, thinking they could be part of something special, but they were nothing more than pawns.  Then Ti’Hort came at the same time Loki showed his face, enslaving the Dwarves and turning Genua against the other Guardians.  He helped Ti’Hort without Ti’Hort even knowing it.” 

 

“So Loki came with Ti’Hort?” Rayne asked.

 

“Yes, he followed the Hunter; we believe it was for his own personal reasons.  He took control of the Dwarfs and sent them to Ashmourn.  Johon tried to protect Silvina but one man against an army.” Kimiri shook his head.  “Ti’Hort just figured it was a War, he used Johon at his weakest moment and then began to turn as many people as he could.”

 

“Why did he erase our memories?” She asked.

 

“We believe it was too start over, Ti’Hort was a Hunter, he liked a challenge so he changed the memories and began to wage war but he destroyed his own plan.”

 

“How?”

 

“He sent Nickolas and Alexander away.” Kimiri told her. “They did not grow up knowing the lore, so when they came back they questioned things, there was no attachment here, until they created their own.”

 

“Why?”

 

“We do not know perhaps his own ego but when those two came back things started changing.  I do not think Pixca realized how much control she had lost.” He said.  “And you all kept questioning everything, especially Alexander. Of course we helped a little as well.”

 

“You did?” Rayne replied confused.

 

“The Statue in Darlawind.” He told her. “We had a thief sneak in and write that on the plaque, you needed a push because the piece was missing.”

 

“That was you?” She replied as she looked at him and the others.

 

Kimiri nodded. “Now, I am sure you are hungry.”

 

“Yes” She replied with a light smile and nod.

 

“Alright, I shall take you to where we eat, it is not a Palace but I hope it will do.” He said as they both stood up.

 

“I am sure it will be wonderful.” She replied.

 

“I hope you have given thought to learning the transformation, I am sure you are eager to get to Nalia though.” He said as she followed him.

 

“I will stay” She said with a nod and he stopped to look at her.  “I think it will help me to get Nalia back.” He smiled and then continued to walk.  She still wasn’t sure if she should trust these people, there were still questions to be asked, perhaps more to discuss over dinner.

 

She looked at her plate and she was pleasantly surprised at what she saw, meat, vegetables and puffs or as Alex called them, mash potatoes.   “So tell me more about this transformation.”

 

“It is the last passage as a Druid.” He told her.  “First you find your kindred, when you become more attuned they fight along side you and then the final attunement is when you become one.”

 

“So what is my kindred?” She asked.

 

“What animal do you call on?” He asked

 

“A wolf named Paq.” She told him.

 

“Than that is your kindred.”

 

“A wolf, I can become a wolf?” She asked and she couldn’t help but hide the little smile that broke from her lips.

 

Kimiri nodded.  “When you were brought back by Pixca did you not feel the change?”  He said and she looked at him a little confused.  “Did you feel stronger, focused, aggressive, and more agile?”

 

Rayne remembered back, remembered what he mother said about her and how her and Alex were.  How she had taken charge in certain situations.  “Yes”

 

“We just need to show you how to bring it out.” He said as he went to eat.

 

Rayne smiled she was interested in learning how, she was interested in all of it, and she found herself becoming more trusting of these people.  Their Aura’s were different but they gave off a calming glow.  They showed no signs of being Demon’s and they were the normal Elvaan colour.

 

“Do you know how to help Nickolas?” She asked.  “To help the Dwarves?”

 

“To help the Dwarves all you have to do is kill Loki” He replied.  “As long as he is alive to keep the spell active they will be under his control.”

 

“But what about Nickolas?” She told him.

 

“That is different.” He replied.  “He is being turned into one of them.”

 

“That is what I was afraid of.” She sighed.

 

Kimiri nodded.  “The only thing I can think of is the Aura spell, pull the demon from him and then kill it.”

 

“Everything is so confusing because of all the lies.” Rayne sighed.  “What did you mean there were no such things as Dryads?”

 

“Pixca lied about that as well, she needed a cover story to explain why you had become more powerful.”

 

“But I remember living in the Tree, I remember Alex coming to me and trying to talk to me.”

 

“She brought you back after you closed the door as the Dryad yes, she was going to use the Dryad story but she was not expecting Alexander to pull so far away.  Again he was questioning everything she did and wanted nothing to do with her, lost of control and that was unacceptable to her.”

 

“That is why she changed me back than? Because she thought it would keep him quiet?” Rayne said as she understood and Kimiri nodded.

 

The rest of the dinner went quietly which was fine with Rayne because she had so much on her mind, so many questions she wanted to ask.  Like why the Warlocks go into seclusion, what was Aurona like, what were the people like, the buildings and lifestyle?  But she didn’t want to just yet, trust, could she really trust them? Why come now? Why not sooner?

 

All of a sudden she began to miss Alex. She wanted him here, to talk to him, get another opinion and to just wonder what all this means.  Her mind wondered what he was doing right now; she hoped not worrying to much about her.  She wanted to get back to him, she wanted to help get Nalia back, she wanted to help Nick and she wanted all of this to be done with. 

 

“Do you think if we kill Loki the Drak’nor will come back?” She asked.

 

“It is a very big possibility.” He replied.

 

“How do we fight that?” She asked as she was hit with a wave of hopelessness.

 

“I wish I could answer that for you Milady.” He replied with a frown.

 

Rayne then took a deep breath.”So what do I do for this transformation?” she asked.

 

“Now?” He replied.

 

“The sooner the better, I need to get back to Alexander and I need to help Nalia.” She told him.  “They need to know all of this.”

 

“Alright then, follow me.” He said as he stood up from his chair.  “It can be very taxing, very draining to transform and then stay in control of the animal.”

 

“Okay” She replied with a nod.  “Then we should get started right away so I have time to rest.”  He stopped and looked at her, then smiled lightly.

 

“Of course Milady” He said with a nod and she saw what she thought was pride in his smile.

Chapter 27 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 27

           

            AJ popped up behind two of his spies and he made sure to stay low.  He wasn’t too worried about people on the ship hearing but they could still see him.  The two spies slowly turned to him and nodded.  It was still pretty early in the morning, the sun was starting to come up and he had been up almost all night preparing. 

 

“We are just waiting for the signal from Bussa.” He told them and they nodded again. “When I call my elemental remember to give them a couple of seconds, they may search the parameter of the ship before attacking it.”

 

“Yes Sir” They nodded.

 

He took a deep breath and waited.  Last night they place the odds that Nalia would be in Nick’s room.  They then took the risk and had a thief, who just happened to be Leigh-Anne onto the ship to watch the doors and the patrols.  Nick’s room was the first down the stairs so that is where AJ was heading.  When AJ heard the squawk of a bird he looked up.  The sea hawks were up again flying around the ship.

 

“They must be there to get the breakfast scraps.” AJ said as he noticed the two spies looking at them.

 

The one man nodded.  “They were there last night for dinner, we saw stuff being thrown from the ship, they picked up what they wanted and left.”

 

“So if everyone has eaten that should mean everyone will be starting their daily chores soon.” AJ said as the spies nodded.

 

A sound of something squawking took AJ’s attention away and he looked over to the main land.  He saw the signal and looked back to his spies.  He gave them a nod and they moved forward, quietly moving into the water.  Closing his eyes he concentrated, focusing on the spell he was conjuring.  He heard the waves of the water, a roaring sound as the elemental came to be.  He heard the shouting of the men on the boat and as he opened his eyes he saw the giant elemental standing at the opening of the cove. 

 

“Grab it” He thought and the elemental reached into the cove and pulled the ship from its hiding spot.  AJ stood up as the men on the ship started attacking the elemental with spells.  His Spies were already waiting for him near the back of the ship.  Quickly AJ slipped into the water and swam over to the back of the ship.  With the help of his spies they climbed to the large window at the back of the boat.  Carefully sitting on the edge of the ship he lightly tapped on the window.  His spies knew what to do if Nick opened the window but they also knew what to do if it was Nalia. They waited a minute or so and then heard the jostling as someone began to open the window.  AJ and his spies sat poised and ready and AJ held his breath.

 

The window opened and AJ exhaled.  “Nali” He said as the wind blew her hair.

 

“Alex?” She replied and she smiled.  “What is going on?”

 

“I have them distracted with my Elemental.” He told her as he looked inside the room seemed empty.  “Can you climb out?”

 

“With your help I should be able too.” She replied with a nod.

 

“Alright step up…” But as he spoke the window slammed closed almost knocking AJ and the spies off the little lip they sat on.  They heard a yell and some commotion from inside.

 

“Change of plans.” AJ said quickly as he pushed on the window and it opened.  Quickly he climbed inside.  Trying to not fall off the window ledge and making sure he could see inside the room AJ was the first one in.

 

“I knew that was you.” Nick said as AJ looked up and saw him holding Nalia. Then a puzzled look came across his face.  He moved them back to the door and opened it.  “Rossi, keep an eye out for the Druid!” AJ looked at him a little puzzled.  If Rayne wasn’t here, who was seen flying with him?

 

“Alex?” Nalia said and AJ looked at her.

 

“We’ll get you out Nalia” AJ told her but he just saw her smile and then she brought her elbow around smacking Nick in the face.  He let go and as she did she took off right at AJ.

 

“Just needed to hear where you were.” She said quickly as they both stood at guard and stared at Nick.

 

AJ knew he had to act quickly before Nick recovered; he threw out his arm and slammed him with a frost bolt and then an Ice Trap. “Go Nali.” He said as he quickly pushed her towards the spies.  “Go go” AJ said as he motioned them to get out the window.  “Jump Nal.” AJ shouted when she got to the window and she did just that.  His two spies dove in after her.

 

“I’m done playing.” Nick said as his jaw clenched. “To bad Rayne’s not here to see you die.”  His friend jumped at him and the two went crashing to the ground.  AJ followed the momentum and rolled over coming out on top.  Quickly he let loose his freeze trap spell and jumped up leaving Nick stuck to the ground.

 

“There now try too…” Something hit him in the back of the head and he dropped to the ground.  Something grabbed him by his robe and pulled him back up.

 

“Hello, Brother.” Dyn said as he looked at AJ.

 

“Wha…the…” His head was spinning and throbbing but as he stood there staring at his Brother he wondered.  “Where is Rayne?” He asked the pain in his head disappearing as the rage rushed through him.

 

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Nick said as he popped his head around from behind Dyn.  “See your Brother and I have come to a conclusion.” Nick said as he walked around AJ.  He tried to twist and break away but Dyn’s grip was to strong. A lot stronger than it use to be. He looked at Nick as he walked around his left side.  “We both want you dead.”

 

AJ jerked but Dyn’s gripped didn’t break.  His Brother laughed at him and he wanted to punch him in the face even harder.  “Where is she?” He shouted as he tried to jump at Dyn. His Brother just laughed at him, it infuriated him but it also led his mind to a revelation. “Screw this.” He said and then teleported away, even though Dyn would come with him. They appeared exactly where AJ wanted them too, on the shore in front of the cottage.

 

Knowing Dyn would be caught off guard AJ slammed his elbow into his gut.  His Brother bent over with a grunt and AJ turned around.  Bringing his knee up AJ slammed it into Dyn’s face.  His Brother leaned back and then AJ let a fire bolt burst from his finger tips. It erupted against Dyn’s chest and he stumbled back, tripping on his feet.  Quickly he patted at his chest putting the flames out.

 

“Alex!” He heard Kevin shout and he quickly looked behind him.  While distracted Dyn tackled AJ and they both went crashing into the water.  Disoriented under the water he couldn’t react fast enough and Dyn got the upper hand.  His Brother held him down and AJ struggled against him.  He looked up and saw a blurry image of his brother but then he saw a blurry image of Kevin tackle Dyn.  His Brother let go immediately and AJ quickly broke the surface.  He stood up and walked over to Dyn and pulled him away from Kevin.  Grabbing him by the collar AJ slammed him down onto the ground.

 

“Where is she!!” He yelled at him as he quickly picked him up and slammed him down again.  “Where the fuck is she!”

 

“I do not know” Dyn replied but that wasn’t the answer AJ wanted to hear so he brought his arm back and punched Dyn in the face. His Brother grunted as his head bounced off the sand.

 

“Alex!” He heard Kevin shout again and as he looked up a bright light surrounded him and then a purple mist exploded around him. He looked behind him and saw Nick flying at them on his shadow bird.  His eyes darted to Kevin and he realized his friend had blocked a spell with his bubble.  AJ was flipped onto his back and in a flash he was staring up at Dyn.

 

Quickly AJ conjured a wind spell and sent Dyn flying back into the water.  When AJ stood up he looked around for Nick and saw him fighting with Kevin.  Raising his arm his fingers sparkled with flakes of snow and he sent out a frost bolt at Nick. It hit him hard enough that it turned him a little and Kevin was able to pin him down.

 

“Alex” Avit said as he came running up to him.  Bussa and Lawrence wrapped Nick up and gagged his mouth.  “We have in coming.” Avit told him as he nodded towards the boat.

 

“Get him to Kalica.” AJ said to Bussa and his second in command, they both nodded.

 

“Sir what do you want done with him?” Jaina asked as she walked up with Dyn.

 

“Get him to Kalica too, he knows where Rayne is.” AJ said looking at her.

 

“I told you I do not know where that harlot is.” Dyn hissed.

 

“Denied you again did she?” AJ asked and Dyn spit at him.

 

“How did he get here?” Avit asked.

 

“Nick, he was the one they saw on the bird with him.” AJ told him.  “Now I’m worried.”

 

“Well we still have them to worry about.” Avit said as he looked at the incoming Dwarves.

 

AJ turned around and began to conjure a spell.  His fingers were covered in wisps of air and then with a push of his arms a gust of wind blew towards the in coming enemy.

 

“Jaina!!” He heard Avit shout and it distracted AJ.  He turned and saw Avit running towards Jaina who was on the ground.  Dyn had broken free and when AJ didn’t see him close by he knew his Brother had teleported away.  Quickly he ran over to them and stopped beside Avit a couple of feet away from her.

 

“The Priests are coming darling hang on.” Lawrence said as he held Jaina’s hand.  AJ looked at Avit and his heart broke for his friend.

 

“What happened?” AJ asked and Lawrence looked up at him.

 

“Dyn had a dagger on him.” Lawrence said. 

 

A Priest and Brian came running up to them and began to heal her wound.  AJ turned to Avit and frowned.  “She’ll be ok Avit” AJ whispered.  His General turned and began walking towards Kevin.  He then turned to the Priest tending to Jaina.  “Does she need the Springs? I can take her there.”

 

“Yes that would be best” The Priest said.

 

AJ knelt down beside her. “Ready?” He asked and she nodded.

 

In a flash they were gone and inside the Winnol Springs.  AJ shouted for a Priest and one came right away.  They took Jaina in a room and slipped her into the tub.  He waited until they had her completely settled in and the left for the cottage again.  When he arrived everyone was in a flurry of fighting.  What were left of the Dwarves were coming in from the ship had made it to shore and were now fighting with everyone.  He was to busy distracted with what was going on in front of him that he didn’t see the shadow bolt coming at him from behind.  It struck its mark mid back and he dropped to the ground with a grunt.

 

AJ scrambled around and saw Nick standing there staring at him.  He tried to get up but Nick sent another bolt at him.  It flipped him around and he slammed hard into the ground.  The air in his longs disappeared and lied motionless for a second.  Catching his breath he started to climb to his feet when he heard a snarl and a loud howling growl.  He looked up and saw Paq come to a dead stop in front of him.  She turned at Nick and planted her paws into the sand. 

 

Quickly AJ looked around to see if he could see Rayne but she wasn’t anywhere in view.  Then something strange happened, a bear came out of the woods and roared as he shook his head.  He slowly walked towards Nick and then stood on its hind legs and roared again.  The birds that hung out around the cove squawked and AJ looked as they turned and headed towards the battle on the shore line. He looked back at Nick and his friend was taken back by the scene even more than he was. More wolves came out, more birds flew in, and a couple of panther looking creatures entered the scene. 

 

“Druid!!” Nick yelled and AJ looked at him.  “Show yourself”

 

AJ slowly got up keeping an eye on Nick while still trying to look to see where Rayne was.  The bear roared and Nick spun and looked at it.  The birds that had joined them began to dive at him and soon they had him on his knees as he swatted at them. 

 

Then the loud ear piercing squawk was heard and even the animals retracted.  AJ watched as he covered his ears, the birds scattered and the shadow bird came flying in.  Nick jumped on it and took off flying towards the ship.  The sound disappeared and he could think again.  He looked behind him and saw that most of the Dwarves had scattered.  Others were being rounded up.  Turning back around AJ looked at Paq as she walked over to the bear, the other animals began to gather too. 

 

“Alex what is going on?” Avit asked as he walked up to him.

 

“Is it Rayne?” Kevin asked.

 

“I don’t know” AJ replied with a shrug and he looked around again. “I don’t see her anywhere”

 

Then with a puff of smoke the birds, the wolves, the panthers, and the bear turned into Elvaans.  Elvaans that he had never seen before and the one that was the bear walked towards him as Paq followed closely. The man stopped in front of him and knelt down as did the others.

 

“King Alexander it is a great honor to finally meet you.” The man said.

 

“Who are you?” AJ asked his eyes darted around again for Rayne.

 

“My name is Kimiri and I am one of the last Aurona Elvaans.” He told him.

 

“Aurona?” AJ replied confused.

 

“Yes, this is Aurona.” The man said as he gently waved his arms around.  AJ followed his arms and then realized the man was talking about Pixcadia.  “We sought shelter underground when the Drak’nor attacked; we have been there ever since, watching and waiting.”

 

“So what you are telling me is that you are the Original Elvaans?” AJ asked

 

The man nodded.  “And we are Druids, Pixca did not understand everything about us.”

 

“So the animal thing that’s?” AJ said still a little confused.

 

“We transform it is one of the stages of being a Druid.” He told him.  “It is how we survived this long, hunting and gathering in our animal forms.”  AJ looked down when Paq walked behind him. 

 

“You wouldn’t happen to know where Queen Rayne is would you?” He asked as he looked back at the old Elvaan man.

 

“I am right here.” He heard Rayne say and he spun around.  There she was standing right behind him but the looks on Kevin and Avit’s face told him a lot more.

 

“How…” He looked around and saw no Paq, he then looked at the Elvaans, and like a lock fitting into place everything clicked. His head snapped back to her and he stared at her with some shock on his face.  “Paq was you?”

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “They taught me how.” She replied as she lightly nodded towards the Elvaans.

 

“But Dyn?” AJ replied.

 

“Dyn took me to west Kalica, a ways north of here.” She told him. “We faught and then Nick showed up, Dyn attacked him when he tried to attack me.” She stopped and AJ wondered what was with the expression on her face.  “I took off while they were fighting and passed out after I could not run anymore, they took me in.”

 

“That’s where you were?” AJ replied and she nodded.

 

“When they told me who they were and what they could do, I just had to stay and know more, I am sorry if you worried but I needed to ask questions.” She told him.

 

“Milady!” Lawrence yelled and both her and AJ looked at him.  “You are alright.” He said relieved as he walked up to them.

 

“Yes Lawrence I am” She replied with a light smile and a nod.

 

“How is Jaina?” Avit asked looking at AJ.

 

“She’s resting, the Priest said a couple of hours and she will be as good as new.” AJ told him.

 

“What happened to Jaina?” Rayne replied confused.

 

“We had Dyn captured…”

 

She interrupted her husband.  “Dyn?!” She some what shouted.  “What do you mean Dyn?”

 

“Nick showed up with him last night” AJ told her.  “When I realize it was him that’s when I started to really worry about you because he was here and I still didn’t know where you were.” He told her. The look on her face was confusing.

 

“What about Nalia?” She asked.

 

“She’s in the cottage.” AJ told her with a nod.

 

Quickly Rayne spun around and started running towards the cottage.  AJ looked back at the Elvaan’s.  “Well you might as well come with us then.” He said as he nodded towards where everyone else was.

 

When he walked into the cottage he saw Rayne on her knee’s in front of Nalia, she was crying and begging for Nalia’s forgiveness.

 

“I am so sorry Nalia, I-I was not thinking and like I said it just blurted out of me.” Rayne cried.

 

“Rayne, it is ok” Nalia said as she looked up at AJ a little confused.

 

“When your Mom learned about what happened she freaked out on Rayne.” AJ told her.

 

“She had every right too.” Rayne replied.

 

“Rayne you know how Mother gets” She said as her friend looked up at her.

 

“No she was right it was such a stupid selfish thing to do.” Rayne said.

 

“It is working.” Nalia told her.  “I was able to talk to Nickolas last night for a moment.”

 

“Really?” AJ replied as he got a little excited.  “What did he say?”

 

“He said that you were the one that could help him.” Nalia said as she looke at him.

 

“Me?” AJ replied confused and a little shocked.

 

Nalia nodded.  “He said you could see what you could see I have no idea.” She sighed.

 

“Sir” Avit said as he walked into the cottage.  AJ turned and looked at him.  “The ship has set sail, I have Gryphon’s ready to ride and follow, I suggest we get back to Kalica.”

 

“Is everyone ready to go?” AJ asked and Avit nodded.

 

“Alright then.” He then knelt down to Rayne.  “Are you ready to go?” He asked, she didn’t reply but she nodded.

 

“What do we do next?” Nalia asked as they walked out of the cottage.

 

“We go to Kalica, we rest up, we regroup and then we figure out how to help Nick.” AJ told her.

 

“What about them Sir?” Avit said as he nodded to the new Elvaans.

 

“They will stay with us.” Rayne replied.  “Have rooms prepared for them in the Palace.”

 

“Are you sure you can trust them Beautiful?” AJ asked.

 

“Yes” Rayne replied.  “I would not have stayed if we could not.” AJ lightly smiled and walked with her over to these people.  It wasn’t that he didn’t trust her but he still didn’t trust them, so the sooner he got to know them and feel them out the better.

Chapter 28 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 28

           

            AJ walked down the hall with Avit beside him.  They had both come from a meeting with Evia.  The halls to the Palace were pretty quiet but there were more guards standing about than usual.  He couldn’t wait to get to his room and close his eyes but first he needed to get Rayne.

 

“Where is her Majesty?” Avit asked.

 

“She went to Winnol to check on Jaina and then she was going to Drisel to see her Mom.” AJ told him.  “I’m going to meet her there.”  They both stopped outside of the Winnol Globe room and AJ couldn’t help himself.  “Are you going to go see Jaina?”

 

Avit looked at him, his face showed annoyance and then it went blank. “If you need me too.” He replied and the annoyance came back for a moment.

 

AJ thought about it.  “Sure, go check on her and report back to me.”

 

It took everything in AJ not to crack a smile as Avit stared at him.  “Very well.” He replied and turned to the doors.  When the doors closed he snickered to himself.

 

“Rayne’s gonna be so pissed.” He sighed and shook his head.

 

Then a smile broke from his lips.  He thought about his wife, safe at home, and soon sleeping in his arms for the rest of the night.  With almost an extra step he made his way to the Drisel Palace globe. He entered the room, closing the door behind him and walked over to the globe which was already on.

 

Placing his hand on it, the globe began to glow and engulf him.  The next thing he knew he was in the Globe room in Drisel. Taking his hand off he walked towards the doors and walked out of the room.  He made his way down the hall and connected with the other hallway before going down the stairs towards the meeting room.  He was about to knock on the door when someone interrupted him.

 

“She’s not in there.” The voice said and he turned around and saw Rayne’s Mom standing behind him.

 

“Oh?” He replied a little confused.

 

“After she left here she went out back, she has been out there ever since, I figured I would just wait until you came.” Halian said “Did Dyn do something too her?”

 

“I don’t think so.” AJ replied a little worried.  “I’ll go talk to her.”

 

Halian lightly smiled and AJ headed past the Meeting room and followed the hallway to the large back door.  Pushing on the door it opened and he walked out to the large field that surrounded the back of the Drisel Palace. Trees scattered the bright green grass and red, purple, and yellow flowers popped up all over the place. He walked out a ways as his eyes darted around the area.  Even though it was dark his eyes didn’t falter but he still couldn’t see her.  Then he heard something in the distance.  He walked in its direction and the closer he got the more he realized it was Rayne crying.

 

“Rayne?” AJ spoke loudly but made sure not to yell. She stopped crying and he kept looking around for her.

 

“I am up here” She finally spoke and AJ looked up. 

 

“What are you doing up there Beautiful?”

 

“Thinking” She said as she wiped her eyes and then took a deep breath.

 

“You want to come down and talk?” He asked and she sighed as she looked up at the sky.  “You are going to make me climb that tree aren’t you?”  She still didn’t say anything.  AJ reached up to the first branch within reach and began trying to climb the tree.  His foot slipped the first time and the second time. The third time he got his leg up to a branch but then he got stuck.

 

“I can not believe you can not climb a tree.” Rayne sighed.

 

“I can.” AJ grunted.  “Just apparently not this one.” He replied as he got himself unstuck. “Please come down and talk to me.”

 

She rolled her eyes a little and sighed but he smiled when she began to climb down the tree.  He held back on the comments about the view and waited patiently for her to come down.  When she got to the bottom she jumped down the rest of the way and turned to look at him.  Still wearing the dress she was wearing when Dyn took her. Her hair messy and dirty, he barely noticed because of the look in her eyes.

 

“What did he do?” AJ asked trying not to blow up at that moment.

 

“Nothing” She replied and before he could ask then why was she crying.  Her face winced up in pain, the tears began to fall, and she answered.  “It is what he did not do.”

 

“What?” AJ replied confused.

 

“He just did not understand that I do not love him anymore.  He was still convinced I am with you because I could not be with him.” She told him and then she wiped her eyes.  “I tried to walk away but he turned me around.  I started attacking him and I had him pinned down with my vines and I just kept casting my moon spell at him.”

 

“You had every right to kick his ass.” AJ replied and it got a small smile out of her but then she lightly shook her head.

 

“Nick showed up.” Rayne replied. “He got his Drain spell on me again but Dyn attacked him.” She told him and then she paused.

 

“What happened?” He asked as he took her hand noticing the look on her face.

 

“Nickolas gave me a choice, stay and fight and try to save the both of us…” She paused again.  “Or…or run and leave Dyn to die.”

 

“You ran” He replied.  “Rayne you did the right thing.”

 

She took a deep breath and started to look around.  “Nalia, Dyn and I use to play back here all the time.” She stopped talking and looked behind to her left.  “One time I was hiding in a tree.” She turned back at looked at him.  “Dyn thought he would be smart and teleport to my spot but he landed to close to me and knocked me out of the tree.”

 

“Did you get hurt?” He asked

 

She nodded.  “I broke my arm.” She said pointing to a spot above her wrist.  “He was crying more than I was.”

 

“How old were you then?” He asked.

 

“Nalia and I were nine Dyn was eleven.” She replied. “I said goodbye to that Dyn when he went to Pomic, I said goodbye to that Dyn when I sat next to Marsa at Nati, Tsa, and his funeral.” 

 

“I understand the friendship that is there and I get that you still care abo…” She cut him off.

“No I do not!” She snapped.

 

“Rayne” AJ replied with a light frown.

 

“What is so hard to understand when I say I do not care about him, I feel nothing for him, I wanted him dead!” She yelled as the tears started flowing again, she started to shake, and AJ couldn’t really remember when he had seen her this upset before.  “I wanted him dead, I left him there to die and he is still alive!”

 

Quickly he took her into his arms and held her tightly against him.  It was at that moment he realized they were not tears of sadness but tears of anger and frustration.  He hushed her quietly and told her it was ok. When she had calmed a little he slowly pulled her away.

 

“Come on lets get back to the Palace.” He said “Where were you staying?” He asked.

 

“With the Elvaans, they have caves and tunnels all under the ground.” She told him.

 

“I am sure you want to get into a nice comfy bed.” He said with a light smile as he brushed her hair from her face.

 

“And a hot bath.” She replied with a sigh, as she sniffed and wiped her eyes.  “I am a little hungry as well.”

 

“Then I will get the cook to make you something.” He replied as they started to walk back to the Palace.

 

“Where is Avit?” She asked as he reached for the door.

 

He paused before opening it. “Uh…He went to go see Jaina.”

 

“Oh” She replied.

 

“So did you know she was seeing Lawrence?” He asked as he closed the door.

 

Rayne turned and looked at him.  “Yes”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me” He replied with a frown.

 

“Because I know how you are when it comes to those two.” Rayne replied as she started walking down the hall.

 

“Well you could have said something, then I would not have looked like an ass.” AJ said and Rayne stopped dead in her tracks.  She slowly turned on her heels and looked at him.

 

“What did you say?” She asked calmly.

 

“He was just looking kind of sad and I just wanted to give him a little boost of confidence.” He told her.

 

“What did you say?” She asked again.

 

He tilted his head a little.  “I told him that even though I didn’t know Nati I would know she would want him to be happy.”

 

“Alex” Rayne sighed. 

 

“But he loves her so much Rayne.”

 

“I know he does Alex but he has his reasons and we must respect that.” Rayne told him as she walked up to him.

 

“Well it won’t last, she doesn’t love Lawrence.” AJ replied with a sigh.

 

“Are you pouting?” Rayne asked with a small laugh.  He looked at her defensive but he had to admit defeat.  “Come, you need the bed more than I do it seems.” She said as she reached for his hand. He took it but didn’t stop talking.

 

“He is my friend, he is more than a friend to me and I just want to see him happy.” He said as they walked up the stairs together.

 

“I know Alexander but you can not push them or you could do more harm than good.” She told him as they reached the top of the stairs.

 

He didn’t say anything more as they walked down the halls and made their way to the Globe room.  Even when they crossed over to Hevi he still said nothing.  He knew she was right but he knew how Avit felt about Jaina and he just wanted to see him happy. 

 

“So” He said taking a deep breath. “Did you talk to Nalia about what you told Nick?”

 

“Yes” She replied with a nod. 

 

“What did she say?” He asked.

 

“I guess when she was on the ship Nick had said something to her.  She was not sure why he was thinking she was pregnant but she went with it because it got a reaction out of him.”

 

“So she’s not mad?” AJ replied

 

“No” Rayne said as she lightly shook her head. “But Evia still is.”

 

“She will come around especially now that Nalia is home and safe.” AJ told her and then they both stopped at the door to their room.  “I will go get a servant and have them bring you up something to eat.”

 

“Alright” She replied with a nod.

 

“Go have that bath.”  He said and leaned in and gently kissed her.

 

“Will you join me?” She asked and he smirked at her.

 

“Well I would never turn down a ladies offer.” AJ replied.

 

She giggled and kissed him again.  He waited for her to walk into the room and then he left to go find a servant. He walked down their hallway and turned into another hallway.  His eyes jotted around looking and he saw one at the end of the hall. 

 

“Excuse me?” AJ said as he approached her but then something happened he wasn’t expecting.  The woman wasn’t a woman at all she was Nick. 

 

Nick put his hand over his mouth and held him against the wall.  AJ tried to fight free but his friend had already started to drain him.  His body got weak and he grunted as he fought again to break free.  A small sadistic smile broke from his lips and then he finally spoke.

 

“Let’s show Rayne who you really are.” Nick said and AJ looked at him confused and then everything went blank.

 

When his eyes opened again he was lying in a bed, his head hurt and he grabbed his forehead as he sat up. He moaned as the throbbing worsened, probably all the alcohol he had to drink and the eight lines of coke he did but something felt very strange to him.  Pulling his hand down he looked at his fingers, they looked longer than usual.  Then something caught his eye, he looked down and saw long dark hair hanging over his shoulders.

 

“What the…” He paused as he reached for it and then pulled on it.  “Owe fuck.” It hurt, it was attached it was his hair? 

 

Quickly he got up out of the bed and then hit the floor, the bedding tripping up his legs.  But then he looked down and saw it wasn’t the bedding at all. He saw the green, silver with a hint of blue clothing.  It looked like a robe and he looked at it very confused.

 

“What the hell am I wearing?” He asked himself and then got to his feet.  Looking around the room his eyes scanned for a mirror.  When he saw one on the other side of the bed he walked over to it and then stood in front of it.

 

“AHHHH!!” He screamed as he looked back at himself.  “WHAT THE FUCK, HOLY SHIT, WHAT THE FUCK!!” He repeated over and over as he just started touching all over his body making sure what he was seeing was real.  He looked away as the door opened and saw a woman coming in.  Then he saw Kevin, Brian and Howie walk in.

 

“What the fuck is going on?” AJ asked as he walked past the woman to his friends.  They looked at him confused.  “Hello!” He yelled.  “Fucking answer me.”

 

“Wha-What do you mean?” Kevin asked confused.

 

“This!” He snapped as he pointed to himself and then walked back over to the mirror. “I’m as tall as you.” He said as he turned back and looked at Kevin. “And..and I have long hair…and..” He paused as he pulled back his hair and saw his ears.  “Holy shit.” He gasped as he sat down on the floor.  “What the fuck did I take?”

 

“Take?” Kevin asked and AJ looked at him. 

 

“I’m tripping out right?” He asked as he got to his feet.  “I must have took some bad E or something dude, I might need to go to the hospital.”

 

“Alex” Kevin replied with a solemn face.  “You don’t remember where you are?”

 

“Where I am, I don’t give a fuck where I am dude, look at me!” He snapped. “Where’s my Mom, I want my Mom.”

 

“What year is it AJ?” Howie asked.

 

“Two Thousand.” AJ replied.  “Please tell me I at least got that right.”  But by the looks on their faces he didn’t.  “What the fuck is going on?”  To his surprise no one answered instead they all looked at the woman who came in with them.  He looked at her even though he didn’t have a clue who she was expecting her to answer but she just looked at him with tears in her eyes.  He then looked back to his friends frustrated.  “What the hell is going on?” AJ asked again.

 

“Sit down man.” Kevin replied as he walked over to the couch.  “You’re going to wanna sit down.”

Chapter 29 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 29

           

            Rayne sat on the chair in front of the window.  She watched as Kevin told Alex who he was, what had become of him.  The bus ride, coming here, the story about how he was from here, the magic they used and the war he fought in.  Alex sat completely still on the couch as his friend told him everything.

 

“That’s Rayne.” Kevin said pointing to her and her stomach knotted, her body stiffened. “That’s Rayne AJ, she’s your wife.”

 

“My what?” He replied as his head snapped up and then it slowly turned to her.  His eyes locked on hers and her palms got sweaty.  “I need some air.” He said standing up quickly.

 

Rayne stood up when his friends went chasing after him.  “Where are you going?” Kevin asked.

 

“Out” AJ replied as he opened the door.

 

“AJ, man I know this is all over whelming, it was for all of us when we first came here.”

 

“Over whelming!?” He shouted when he stopped and turned to them.  “I’m a fucking Elvaan, I can apparently use magic and I’m married to someone I don’t even know.”

 

When he said those words her heart snapped into two.  Her lips pursed and she did everything she could to hold back the tears.  With her stomach knotting tighter and her head spinning Rayne slowly walked over to the bench in the hallway.

 

“Fuck off!” AJ shouted as he pulled away from Kevin and took off down the hall.

 

“Well are we going to go after him?” He asked as he looked back at his friends.

 

“Maybe he just needs some time, when we first came here he took off and went for a walk.” Howie said as she picked at her nails.

 

Is this how he felt when she had forgotten him?  She knew it wasn’t his fault or her fault but she felt hurt.  Hurt that she was forgotten.  Taking a deep breath she tried to calm herself.  A shadow above her distracted her and she looked up as Kevin knelt down in front of her.

 

“Are you ok?” He asked and she stood up.

 

“I am going to go inform Avit about what has happened.” She said.

 

“We’ll go look for AJ” Kevin said with a nod.

 

“No” She replied quickly.  “Just give him some space please.”

 

“Are you sure?” He asked.

 

“Yes” She nodded. “It was all he needed before.”

 

Rayne then turned and headed down the hall, she made her way to the Winnol globe room.  She crossed over and walked out of the doors.  When she slammed into someone she looked up and saw Avit.

 

“Milady I was just coming to check on Alex.” He told her.

 

“Avit” She frowned and then started balling her eyes out. 

 

“Rayne” Avit said sadly as he wrapped his arm around her. “What is wrong?”

 

“He does not know” She cried.

 

“Know what?” He asked.

 

“He does not know who I am, who you are, he does not remember.” She told him. 

 

“He remembers nothing?” Avit asked.

 

Slowly she shook her head. “Nothing” and with those words she started crying harder.

 

When she had calmed down Avit got her to tell him everything that had happened after Alex had woken up.  When she was done he convinced her to go to her room and get some sleep and he would go look for Alex.  Knowing there was nothing she could do right now, she agreed and they both made their way back to Hevi.

 

She walked into the room and looked around.  The shouting and confusion from a moment ago replayed in her head.  Her lipped quivered but she did not cry.  Rayne walked over to her dresser and pulled out her night gown.  Her body was stiff and achy from sleeping on the ground the night before. She was still pretty tired from all the work with the Elvaans and learning how to transform.  Right now maybe even more so than making sure Alex was alright she wanted the bed. 

 

When she crawled under the blankets the bed felt like billions and billions of Gryphon feathers, and she sunk down with a sigh.  Pulling the blankets over her she wrapped them around her and closed her eyes.  She knew she was tired but she didn’t think she would fall asleep at that moment. Then just as she had started to dream, something startled her awake.  Quickly she sat up, her eyes listening for what ever it was that woke her.  She could hear people yelling outside her door.  Crawling from the bed she grabbed her night robe and put it around her as she walked over to the door.  Quietly she leaned her ear against the wood.

 

“Please Sir, keep your voice down or you will wake Rayne.” Avit shouted in a whisper. “I do not think you would want her to see you in this state.”

 

“What state?” AJ asked back.  “Drunk? Who the fuck cares if I’m drunk. I get drunk all the time ask Kevin.”

 

“No” She whispered and then she opened up the door.  Avit looked at her right away and AJ turned with a wobble to her.

 

“See she was awake…wait.” He said looking at her. “You’re Rayne right?”

 

Her teeth grinded against each other.  “Yes” She replied.

 

“See she was wake” He replied with another wobble.

 

“I was walking him to his room.” Avit told her.

“This is my room” Alex replied.  “So can we have married couple sex?” He asked her as he walked in.  Avit looked at her with a strain expression.

 

“It is alright Avit” Rayne replied with a sigh as Alex flopped down on the couch.

 

“Are you sure?” He asked.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “I can handle him.”

 

“Alright” Avit replied with a light smile. “I will tell Sir Kevin that I found him.”

 

She said goodbye to Avit and closed the door when she turned around she saw Alex walking around the room.  “Do you need something?” She asked.

 

“Where’s the booze.” Alex replied.

 

“There is none.” She said as she stood there staring at him.  “Where are you going?” She asked as he walked past her.

 

“Going to tell the servants to bring some of that beer up here.” He told her.

 

“No” She said and he laughed.

 

“Whatever lady.” He said waving his arm. 

 

With a grunt and the release of a spell she stopped him, dead in his tracks. “What the…” He then looked back at her.  “What the fuck is this?” He asked.

 

“Vines” She replied.

 

“Well I can see that, how the fuck did they end up around my feet.”

 

“I put them there” She said as she walked over to him.

 

He raised his eyebrows.  “Magic, so Kevin wasn’t bullshitting, sweet. But seriously let me go get some beer and then we can get to know each other, well I can get to know you.”

 

“No” She replied again.

 

He sighed.  “Why did I have to marry an anal bitch?”

 

“Excuse me!” She shouted shocked.

 

“Ooh feisty, I like that” AJ replied with a wobble.  He grunted as he tugged at his feet trying to pull his legs out.  With a light sigh Rayne released the spell and AJ went toppling over onto the floor. He grunted as he hit the wooden floor and then looked at her.  She wondered if he was going to say something to her but there was a knock at the door.  She walked past him and heard him mumble something. 

 

“Hello” She replied as she saw Kevin and Howie standing at the door.

 

“Avit said he found him?” Kevin asked and she stepped away so he could see Alex.

 

“Dude, Howie have you checked out the beer here, it’s pretty fucking good.” AJ said as he brushed himself off.

 

“Avit said he was drunk.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Yes, he is.” Rayne replied.

 

“And I want to get drunker but miss bitchy over here won’t let me.” Rayne turned to him but before she could say anything Kevin spoke up.

 

“Alex you’re not supposed to be drinking.” Kevin sighed.

 

“Who the fuck says? Her?” He replied pointing to Rayne.

 

“No You” Kevin replied.  “You’re an alcoholic AJ”

 

“Oh fuck off, I’m not that bad.” He scoffed as he waved his arms at Kevin.  “Howie, come on I know you wanna go, you can never turn down good beer.”

 

“No Alex actually I’m tired.” Howie replied.

 

“Fine then, I’ll go alone.” AJ huffed as he headed to the door.

 

“How about if you do not go at all.” Rayne replied.  “You can stay here, we can…”

 

“What the hell is your problem, are you like religious or something, Jesus it’s just beer.” AJ snapped at her and then he looked at Kevin.  “Are you sure I’m married to her, I can’t see myself marrying such a fucking nag.”

 

“AJ!” Kevin snapped at him.

 

“Well it’s true, Christ she won’t let me leave the room and usually when woman don’t let me leave the room it means I’m getting laid.” AJ replied.  “Not this one tho, she probably has fucking cobwebs or something.” Rayne’s eyes went wide at how crude AJ was being towards her. 

 

“Alright man enough” Kevin said as she watched him grab AJ by the back of the robe and dragged him out of the room.

 

“What the fuck dude?” AJ yelled.  “Let go”

 

“Your spending the night with Kris and I.” Kevin snapped back as they walked down the hall.

 

“Kris is here, awesome” AJ replied as she followed to the door and stopped. “That chick is fucking is a shrew. I must have been pretty jacked to wanna marry that thing.”

 

“Alex shut up” Kevin sighed as they walked into his room.

 

Rayne closed the door and leaned up against it. She covered her mouth as she started crying but there was no sadness only pain.  Wiping her eyes Rayne walked over to her dresser, the anger and hurt building up in her until she had no choice but to blow.  With a scream she brushed her arms across the dresser and sent everything that was on it off the edges.  She kicked her dresser a couple of times shouting with each thump against the thick wooden door.

 

“Bravo Rayne Bravo!” Nick said from behind her and she spun around.

 

“You” Rayne hissed as she stared at him.

 

“Me” Nick replied with a sarcastic smile and a light tilt of the head.

 

“This is your fault, you did this too him” Rayne said as she stepped towards him.

 

“I did” Nick sighed.  “I just thought that to really truly under…” He was interrupted as a bright light shot down from the sky and struck him with a loud crashing sound.  Her arm raised, her fingers sparkled and then a green electrical charge erupted from her hands.  Her wrath spell hit him right in the chest and he stumbled back against the wall. As she walked towards him she sent out another and another and another spell.  Nick slid down the wall with a grunt.  She reached down and grabbed the purple aura.  He screamed in pain as she started to pull.

 

“This is not your body…”

 

Nick interrupted her.  “Yes it is.” She felt him place his hand on her stomach and before she could react she was being sent flying across the room. Her body crashed hard into the doors to her bedroom.  They flew open and she came crashing down onto the floor in the hallway.  The room was spinning and she put her hands down as she tried to get up.  When her eyes focused she saw Nick coming out of the room.  Her back screamed in pain and it made it hard for her to breath.

 

“Whoa Nick what the fuck happened to you?” She heard Alex say.  Slowly she turned her head and saw Kevin, Kristin, and Alex looking at the two of them.  He looked the same but he was absolutely powerless against Nick.  AJ did not know how to use his magic. 

 

Nick’s arm reached out and a shadow bolt came flying from his finger tips.  “Move!” Kevin shouted as he shoved AJ out of the way.  Rayne wheezed as she breathed in, she grunted in pain as she stood up and as Nick walked over to AJ she put her hand out.

 

“Nick?” AJ replied looking at him confused. The window in the hallway burst open and a flock of sea hawks came flying in.  They surrounded Nick and began clawing and pecking at him.  He swatted at them, sent bolt after bolt at them but more and more kept flying in.  With a whoosh and an odd howling sound Nick was in the shadows and gone.  The birds retreated and Rayne dropped to her knees.

 

She looked at Alex to make sure he was ok, he stared back at her, his eyes full of shock and confusion.  Then he crawled over to her.  “Are you ok?” He asked.

 

She tried to talk but she couldn’t, her chest exploded in pain and the only sound she could make was that of a wheezing noise.  Her body started to get fuzzy, the room was spinning fast.  She looked at him and touched her chest, shaking her head.

 

“You can’t breath?” He asked and she nodded lightly.  She felt herself slip lower to the ground as there was a commotion around her.  Everything went black and then everything appeared around her again.

 

“Rayne?” Kevin said looking at her. “Rayne?” Her eyes looked around and she saw Alex staring back at her.  How she wanted him to tell her it was ok, to look at her with comfort and love, not confusion and shock.  She wanted him to hold her hand and tell her it would be ok but instead it was Kevin.  Alex’s face was the last thing she saw before everything around her went dark again.

 

Chapter 30 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 30

           

            “Those god damn birds, I think they took a chunk of my ear.” Nick whined as he looked at himself in the mirror.

 

“Bloody well serves you right.” Rossi mumbled. “Taking off like that, what if something happened?”

 

“Happened?” Nick squealed as he spun around.  “Nothing is going to happened to me, they can’t touch me.”

 

“Fine than.” Rossi grunted as walked up to Nick.  “Before the birds get to ya.”

 

Nick gritted his teeth and stared at the dwarf.  “Don’t you have something to do?”

 

“Aye I would if someone hadn’t lost half my bloody army runnin’ off after Nalia!” Rossi shouted at him. Nick was about to reply when Dyn walked in.

 

“Did you do it?” He asked.

 

“Yep” He nodded with a laugh.  “Poor Rayne she was no idea what she’s in for.”

 

“What made Alexander so bad back then?” Rossi asked.

 

“It was just everything.” Nick replied.  “With all the booze he drank the drugs he did, he was an ass.  I know Rayne and that attitude is a major turn off for her.”

 

Rossi started laughing.  “Boy ye really think Alexander acting a fool while he doesn’t rrremeba’ anything, will be enough to break those two apart?”

 

Nick stared at him.  “Do dwarves even have brains?” He asked.

 

Rossi jumped at him but Dyn stopped the little man.  “What is the next step?” Dyn asked.

 

“AJ remembers nothing, which means he doesn’t remember the spell around the tree.” He told them and Rossi smiled. “Tomorrow Dyn you will get Rayne and meet us there.”

 

“Must we kill her?” Dyn asked.

 

Nick looked at him.  “She left you for dead and still you have a hard on for her.” Dyn looked at him confused.  “That’s love and yes we need to kill her, her blood opens the portal.”

 

Rayne’s eyes shot open and she replayed what she had just saw in her mind.  Was it a dream? Or was something showing her that conversation.  Slowly she sat up in the bed, her chest and back still sore she looked around.  The last thing she remembered before passing out was Alex. 

 

“Milady?” Someone said from beside her and she looked over.

 

“Jaina” She replied with a relieved smile.

 

“How are you feeling?” Her Guard asked her.

 

Sore” She replied.  “Where is Alex?”

 

“He is ah…” Jaina paused.

 

Rayne sighed.  “Which tavern is he in?”

 

“The Lion Heads.” She replied. “He has been there since they brought you here to Winnol.”

 

Rayne slowly climbed out of bed with much protest from Jaina.  “I appreciate your concern but I need to talk with him.”

 

“Then I will go down there.  The Priest said you had two broken ribs and a bruised spine, you need to stay off your feet.” Jaina told her.  “Please Rayne.”

 

“Alright” She replied as she and she laid back down.

 

“Is Sir Kevin still around?” Rayne ask.

 

“I believe so yes.” She nodded.

 

“Will you tell him I would like to see him as well?”

 

“Of course Milady.” She replied with a nod.

 

When Jaina left she slowly crawled out of the bed and walked over to her dresser.  She slipped on a robe over her nightgown and at a snails pace she made her way over to the couch.  There was a knock at the door as she reached the middle of the room and she answered.

 

“Come in”

 

The door opened and Kevin walked in.  “You are not supposed to be up.” He said as he walked over to her.

 

“I am going to the couch that is all.” She replied as he took her arm. 

 

“You’re supposed to be in bed.” He told her.

 

“A Queen does not do business in bed.” She replied.

 

“Business?” Kevin replied confused.

 

“I need to ask a favor from you and you’re friends.” She told him.

 

“What is it?” He asked.

 

“I need you to go to Ashmourn where the tree is, Rossi is on his way there.” She told him.

 

“With Nick?” He asked.

 

“Perhaps, although he might show up here to distract us.” She said with a sigh and a wince in pain.  “Alex remembers nothing, which means he does not remember the spell he put on the Tree.” She explained. “I will send Jaina, Avit and what ever army from both countries with you.”

 

“What about you Alex and Nalia?” He asked.

 

“We are going to Tokia.” She told him.

 

“Loki?” He asked.

 

“If we get there in time and kill him, the Dwarves will be released.”

 

“What about Nick?” He asked.

 

“All we know is that Alex is the key to helping him, like Nalia said there is something only he can see.”

 

“And now even if you knew he knows nothing about magic.” He said and she nodded.

 

“Right” Rayne nodded. “Tell you the truth I am not sure what to do with him.” She told him.  “Right now he is drunk at a Tavern here in Winnol, I sent Jaina for him but who knows if he will even come.”

 

“I am sorry about this.” She gave him a light smile and she noticed the look on his face.

 

“What is it?” She asked.

 

“I just never thought I’d be apologizing for him again.” Kevin sighed.  “I swore I would never do it again.”

 

“Was he like this?” She asked.

 

“Worse” He replied. “There was also Cocaine involved back then.”

 

Rayne sighed. “His Aura is dim.”

 

“What does that mean?” Kevin asked.

 

“When Aura’s are dim it means the person is withdrawn.” She told him.  “It is still there just you can not see it and that is how they go through life.”

 

“I think I understand.” Kevin replied.

 

The door opened and Rayne looked up.  “He will not come.” Jaina said as she walked in.

 

“What is in you hair?” Rayne asked as she looked at her Guard.

 

“Ale” Jaina replied with a tight jaw.

 

“Ugh Alexander.” Rayne grunted.

 

“I’ll go tell the others to get ready and then I’ll go get him.” Kevin said standing up.  “When do you want us to leave?” He asked.

 

“Everyone will meet in Alex’s Meeting room in an hour.” She told him.

 

“Alright” He replied with a nod as he walked out of the room.

 

“Meeting?” Jaina asked.

 

“We need to talk.” She told her.

 

 

“It is an honor to be drinking with you King Alexander.” The Elvaan man said as AJ drank the last that was in his mug. “I must say you drink like a Dwarf.”

 

“Thanks” AJ slurred out. “I think.”  He put down the mug and looked around.  “Where did that waitress go?”

 

“Another Drink for the King!” The Elvaan shouted and right now AJ didn’t care he was drinking with an Elvaan, all that mattered was they kept buying him beer.

 

“Nope I think King Alexander has had last call.” A voice said from behind AJ and he turned around.

 

“Ah Fuck” He sighed as he saw Kevin staring back at him.

 

“Rayne wants to see you.”  Kevin told him.

 

“What does she want to knit or something?” AJ asked as he wobbled in his chair a little.

 

“No” Kevin said as he grabbed him by the robe.  “She wants to talk to you.”

 

“Yay talking.” AJ replied with a drunken stumble.

 

“You know you better remember you’re the one who forgot how to use your magic, Rayne still remembers and if you keep being a dick to her, she just might use it.” Kevin snapped at him as he pushed him out the tavern door. AJ stumbled and almost fell to the ground.

 

“I remember you being this way, she doesn’t she never saw this side of you?” Kevin snapped.

 

“Well what the fuck am I supposed to do huh?” AJ yelled back.  “I wake up and I’m a fucking Elf.  I find out I am actually from another world, my mom isn’t my mom, and I can shoot firebolts out of my ass.”

 

“Alex” Kevin sighed.

 

“Plus I’m married to some chick who, I don’t even know why I’m married to her, she’s boring.” AJ as he threw his hands into the air.

 

“Rayne is far from boring.” Kevin replied.

 

“Really name one exciting thing about her?” AJ asked.

 

“Um hello dumbass the birds that saved your ass?” Kevin said quickly.

 

“That was her?” AJ replied.  “Fuck off.”

 

“I’m serious man.” Kevin nodded.  “And she can turn into a wolf.”

 

“A wolf. AJ said as he stared at him his jaw dropped a little.  “Like poof wolf.” He said extending his arms and waving them around upward into the air.

 

“Yes” His friend nodded. “She can command trees to come alive and fight; in fact she did it to Nick once.” Kevin told him.

 

“Trees?” AJ replied a little confused.

 

“Yes, actual Trees, with arms, legs, eyes, the whole nine. It’s all part of being a Druid.” Kevin said.  “She took a sword for me.”

 

“What?”

 

Kevin nodded.  “That evil guy Ignis I told you about, when he was controlling Rayne’s Mom, she kidnapped me, ya’ll came to get me out, and Ignis went to stab me with the sword and Rayne jumped in front of it.”

 

AJ didn’t say anything, thinking about what Kevin had said.  “And she loves you.”  He looked at his friend.  “She loves you, not AJ, not Alex, she loves Alexander.  She loves all of you, why do you think she won’t let you doing anything?”

 

“Cause she doesn’t want me drinking.” AJ mumbled.

 

“No because you have no Magic, and Nick is on a serious rampage.” Kevin told him.

 

“I can’t believe Nick’s all badass.” AJ replied.

 

“Well hopefully we can help him.” Kevin said as AJ looked behind them to the Tree Castle.  “She wants you to be safe, she wants to protect you and she can’t do that if you’re stumbling around drunk.”  AJ stared at the Castle, maybe Kevin was right.

 

“I seriously left everything behind for this chick?” AJ asked.

 

“She was not the only reason no, you started to realize that what they were saying was true, you were from here…you are from here.” Kevin said.  “The whole reason you are going through this is because you’re trying too find yourself but you can’t because you were on Earth.”

 

AJ walked over to a bench.  “This is all kinds of fucked up dude.” He said as he sat down.

 

“Yeah, I know” Kevin replied as he walked over and sat beside him.

 

“I just I don’t see it.” He said as he rubbed his hands over his eyes.  He took a deep breath and sighed.

 

“Well spend some time with her; stop acting like a fucking dick around her and you’ll find out.” Kevin said as he gave him a little nudge. “Now you can walk back or I can knock ya the fuck out and drag ya back, cause I got magic too, so…” He said as he cocked his head a little.  “What’s it going to be?”

 

AJ looked over at the bar; things were so much easier there.  He looked at Kevin and then looked at the Tree Castle.  The words that Kevin had spoken replayed in his head.  What if Kevin was right, what she was the one he was looking for? The one that filled the whole, the one who loved his fuck ups as much as his good deeds, and the one who wanted to be a part of his life not just along for the ride.

 

“Alright” AJ sighed as he stood up.  “How is she doing anyways?”

 

“Two broken ribs and a bruised spine.” Kevin told him.

 

AJ stopped dead. “I thought they said she was going to be ok?”

 

“Because she is, that’s what the Springs are for.  It’s like a hospital but Magical, sort of, I really don’t know how to explain it but the shit works.” Kevin said with a shrug.

 

“Where is she now?”

 

“In your room in the Castle.” He said as he nodded towards the Giant Tree.  “She wants to see you and I gotta get going, we’re going after Nick.”

 

“Am I going with you?”

 

“No, you’re going with Rayne and Nalia, to Tokia.” Kevin told him as they headed out of the market square.  “That’s why you gotta get your shit together.”

 

“What good am I going to be to them?” AJ asked.

 

“Hell if I know but she wants you with them.” Kevin scoffed.  “But she doesn’t want you stumbling around drunk and doing something stupid.”

 

“So Nalia that’s Nick’s girl?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah” Kevin replied with a nod.  “Rossi attacked her to get back at Nick, they ah, took her eyes.”

 

“Seriously?” AJ asked as his eyebrows went up.

 

Kevin nodded.  “But you should see her fight. Wouldn’t even know it.”

 

“This place is…is just…I dunno.” AJ sighed.

 

“I know what you mean man we were all feeling it when we first got here but things happened and paths were followed.” Kevin said with a smile and he couldn’t help but smile back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 31 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 31

           

AJ and Kevin made their way to the Castle and when they reached the hallway they split up. Kevin went to get their friends and AJ went to see Rayne.  He stopped at the door and wondered if he should knock. Hesitating at first he reached up and knocked on the door.

 

“Come in.” He heard faintly and then opened the door.  When he walked in he saw her sitting on the couch.

 

“So Kevin says you got a couple of broken ribs and you fucked up your back?” He said as he walked over to the edge of the couch.

 

“Yes” She nodded as she looked up at him and then she pulled her blanket away.  “Have a seat.” She said.

 

“You’re not mad a me.” AJ said as he sat down.

 

“No” She replied.

 

“But I was a…”

 

“A douche, as you would put it.” Rayne said as she slowly turned herself a little.

 

“Yeah” AJ replied and he couldn’t help but laugh a little. “How come?”

 

“Because I am your wife and I know you.” She replied.  “You have told me about what you were like when you had all those troubles back on Earth, I had just never experienced it before and I was a little taken back by it.” She told him.  “Plus you not remembering your Magic kind of puts us at a disadvantage.”

 

“Why? I wouldn’t be that much help anyways.”

 

“Alex, of course you would be, you are very powerful.” She told him and he looked at her a little stunned.  “When you first got here, you had only been learning Magic for a few days; you conjured a spell that no one here had done in years, what we thought then were hundred of years.  You can conjure an elemental; you created your own spell to protect the tree that I am connected to…” But he noticed as she stopped talking her face fell in confusion.

 

“What?” He asked.

 

“I…” She stopped again.

 

“Rayne?” AJ replied as he raised an eyebrow not sure what was going on.

 

“The Tree is not real.” She said quietly. “I am the link not the Tree.”

 

“Again I say what?”

 

“I need to see Jaina” Rayne said and then she stood up quickly.  “Owe!” She cried out in pain and AJ stopped her from falling.

 

“I don’t get what’s going on.” AJ said to her.

 

“Pixca said that I was connected to the Tree, the door which kept the demons out, but it was all a lie, even the tree, the...the tree is not the door, I am.” She said as she looked at him. “Kimiri said it was the blood of the people that opened the door, a link to this world.” Rayne said as he helped her sit back down. “If I die the door opens.”

 

Just then the window to their room burst open and the shadow bird hovered outside. “It is Nick” Rayne said quickly to AJ.

 

“Wrong” Said an Elvaan he did not recognize as he came in through the window.

 

“Dyn” Rayne said as she stood back up and she grunted in pain.

 

“Brother” Dyn said looking at AJ.

 

“Brother?” AJ replied shocked and he looked at Rayne but she didn’t acknowledge anything.

 

“You know Rayne the last time I saw you, you were running away.” He said as he stepped down from the bench under the window.

 

“Last time I saw you, you were suppose to die.” Rayne replied with a little bitterness.

 

“So I hope she has filled you in on what has been going on Alex.” Dyn said as he looked at him.  “How I killed our Father before you had he chance to actually get to know him.  How I forced myself onto your wife…”

 

“Or perhaps how Alexander has over powered you in every battle.” Rayne snapped at him.

 

Dyn glared at Rayne.  “Rexil was right about one thing, your mouth should be kept shut.”

 

In one motion Dyn ran at him and he froze not knowing what to do.  A spark caught his eye and he looked over at Rayne as what looked like a bright green orb went flying towards Dyn.  It knocked the man off his feet and he fell against the fireplace. The man recovered quickly and he sent a fire ball at Rayne it slammed into her and knocked her over the couch.  He turned back to the man that called him Brother and he was staring right at AJ.

 

“Now, to get rid of you finally.” Dyn said with an evil smile.  His hand started to glow and AJ swore he saw snowflakes around his fingers.  Then a growl was heard and both men turned to look at the couch.  AJ shouted in shock falling back onto the floor as the animal jumped between him and Dyn.  Even the Elvaan was caught off guard. 

 

The wolf growled and barked as it snapped at Dyn slowly moving closer and closer.  Suddenly AJ’s mind went back to the conversation he had with Kevin.  His eyes went wide as he realized where the wolf had come from.  Quickly Dyn dashed towards the back of the couch and stopped dead when he saw Rayne wasn’t there.  He then looked at the animal still growling and snapping.  The man looked confused as he looked towards the window.  Then he ran for it and the wolf ran at him, he jumped out the window onto the bird and with a loud squawk took off into the air.

 

When the loud ear piercing sound disappeared AJ could here someone coughing.  Immediately he realized it was Rayne.  He stood up and walked over to the window that’s when he saw her lying on the floor.

 

“Rayne?” AJ said.  “Are you ok?” 

 

She wheezed loudly but there was a gurgling sound when she did.  When she coughed AJ watched in horror as blood spattered from her mouth. Like a bat outta hell AJ took off out of the room and as soon as he hit the hall he started yelling.  He looked down both ends of the hallway screaming for someone to help him.  Avit was the first one as he came out of the room beside him.

 

“It’s Rayne, it’s Rayne she’s coughing up blood.” AJ said quickly as Avit rushed in. “Over there by the window.”

 

“What happened?” Avit asked.

 

“Some guy, umm…” AJ placed his hand on his head trying to think.  “Dine, no..”

 

“Dyn?” Avit asked.

 

AJ snapped his fingers and pointed at him. “That’s it!”

 

“She needs the Springs I think one of her ribs pierced her lung.” Avit said as he looked at Rayne.  “You need to Telep…” Avit stopped and stared at him.

 

“What is going on?” A woman’s voice said and AJ turned to see Rayne’s Mom walk in.  He had met her only briefly when they were running Rayne to the Springs before.  “Rayne!” Halian said when she saw her daughter on the floor.  “You need to take her to the Springs.” She said looking at AJ.

 

“Me?” AJ replied a little confused.

 

“Lady Halian he does not know how.” Avit replied.

 

The woman got up and walked over to him.  “Do you remember what the Springs looked like?” She asked her voice shaky and rushed.

 

“Ye-yeah I think so.” He nodded.

 

“Close your eyes and picture it, hold onto Rayne and then allow yourself to follow the energy of the wind to take you both there.” She told him.

 

“What?” AJ replied as he was pushed over to Rayne. Halian sat him down and put Rayne’s hand in his, he looked down at her and she was looking at him.  Her breathing was quick and heavy, the sound of the gurgling turned his stomach.

 

“Alex?” Halian said and shook him a little.  “Ready?”

 

“Close my eyes, picture the place, and follow the energy of the wind.” AJ replied.  “Holy fuck” AJ whispered wondering what exactly he was doing.  With a deep breath he closed his eyes and did what Halian had told him to do.  He sat there and waited and waited.

 

“Guys I really don’t think…” He stopped mid sentence when he realized Rayne and him were now sitting in the middle of the Springs.  Her hand touching the side of his face broke him from his stunned state and he looked at her.

 

“Your Majesty what is wrong?” The Priest asked and AJ looked up.

 

“She was attacked; Avit said her ribs might have pierced her lung.” He told them.

 

“Very well carry her to the pool in that room.” He said and the man helped him carrying Rayne.  She cried out in pain a little when they picked her up.  They walked into a large cave with a stone tub sitting in the middle of the room.  When they put her in he let go and the Priest dunked her under the water.

 

AJ sat there waiting and watching.  Moment by moment her breathing became better.  The gurgling stopped, the wheezing stopped and soon she had begun breathing normally again. The Priest walked over to him and placed his hand on his shoulder.

 

“Let her rest for a while she will be fine.” He told AJ and they walked out of the cave. When they walked outside Avit and Halian was running into the lawn area.

 

“Is she alright?” He asked.

 

“Yes she will be fine, King Alexander got her here just in time.” He replied.

 

“What the hell did I just do?” AJ said looking at Rayne’s Mom.

 

“You teleported.” She told him with a bright proud smile.

 

“I…tele…” AJ stared at the ground as Halian walked past him and into the cave.

 

“Are you alright Sir?” Avit asked and he looked at him.

 

“I was there now I’m here.” AJ said still stunned. 

 

Avit cracked a little smile. “Yes Sir.” After a moment of AJ still staring at the ground trying to process what he had just done Avit spoke again. “I am going to fine Jaina and inform her on what happened.”

 

AJ thought he nodded but he wasn’t sure.  Still in some what of a daze he walked over to a bench and sat down.  He ran his fingers through his hair, his long hair and as his finger caught a bead he looked down at it. For the first time since he woke up it was all started to sink in.  Perhaps it was the fact he tried to block it out and had been drinking since he found out.  Or the whirl wind of the past moments sobering him up and the fact that he had actually pulled that off. But AJ finally started to realize what everyone had been telling him.

 

“Alex?” Halian said and he looked up.  “She would like to see you.”

 

“How is she?” He asked as he stood up.

 

“Still sore, still a little hard for her to breath but she is doing better.” She told him as she gave him a light smile and walked past him.

 

He walked over to the cave and entered.  He noticed his eyes didn’t even have to adjust to the darkness of the room.  When he heard some splashing he looked over and saw Rayne trying to sit up in the tub of water.

 

“Do you need help?” He asked as he walked over to her but she shook her head.  She settled into the water again and looked at him.

 

“Are you ok?” She asked.  Her voice was weak almost like a whisper.

 

“Me I’m fine” AJ said.  “You totally saved my ass back there.” She lightly smiled, then laughed a little, and then winced in pain.  “Sorry”

 

“It is alright” She replied.

 

“Was that guy really my Brother?” AJ asked and she nodded.

 

“We had all thought he died when your Sister and Mother did but we found out after you had arrived that he did not.” She told him. “He sided with Ti’Hort, with Ignis.”

 

“He’s a dick” AJ said as he lightly shook his head.

 

“Yes” She nodded. “Now I see the similarities.”

 

AJ looked at her a little shocked and a little hurt. “I guess I deserved that.”

 

“You did” Rayne replied and it made AJ laugh.  She was pretty feisty.

 

“So…” AJ said as he sat down beside the tub.  “How long were we together before we got married?”

 

“Over a year” She said.

 

“Really?” AJ replied and she snickered at his shock.

 

“Yes really” She replied with a smile.

 

“Kevin said you almost died saving him.” He said as he looked at her.

 

“Almost, I did…” She paused and winced again as she took a breath.  “Brian raised me and you also brought me back to life once.”

 

“Me?” AJ replied and he swore his heart stopped for a second. “How?”

 

“You said it was…” She paused but this time it was to think not because of pain.  “CPR?”

 

“Oh”

 

“Plus you used your electric spell to shock my heart; you said it was almost like what they do on Earth.” She said as he lightly nodded.

 

“Electric?”

 

Rayne nodded.  “You do not use is much.” She paused.  “You do not like the way it makes your hand feel.”

 

AJ chuckled a little.  “So if you’re a Druid what am I?” He asked

 

“A Mage” She told him.  “I use Nature spells, I can communicate with animals and nature, where as you are more attuned with the Elements.”

 

“Elements?” He asked.

 

“Like Fire, Ice, Water, Wind, Earth, and Lightening.” She told him.  “You are the most powerful mage in Pixc…in Aurona.”

 

“Why did you do that?” He asked and she looked at him confused.  “You said in Pixc and then you said in Aurona.”

 

“It is a rather long story.” Rayne said.

 

“Ok” AJ nodded.  “I don’t wanna make you talk too much you need to rest…” He said and then stood up to leave.

 

“Please stay” She said as she sat up and grabbed his arm. She cried out in pain and just like before out of instinct he reached for her, almost falling into the water himself. 

 

“Rayne, relax ok?” He said as he laid her back.  “I’ll stay just relax.” AJ told her as she began to cry tears of pain.

 

 

Chapter 32 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 32

           

            “You can not fight Loki on your own.” Avit said to Nalia.

 

            AJ sat in a large chair at the head of a table in what he was told was his meeting room.  Avit, Jaina, Nalia, and the guys with their wives sat in the room, talking about the plan that Rayne had come up with.  His mind drifted back to her. She was still sitting in the Springs.  He stayed with her until she fell asleep and then Avit came and got him for this meeting.

 

“Well we do not have much of a choice do we?” Nalia replied with a sigh. “But I do believe I have realized a way to help Nickolas.”  AJ didn’t know much about her, well at least right now but it didn’t surprise him Nick would go with someone like her.  She was strong minded, and from what he gathered pretty independent and that was exactly what Nick was looking for unfortunately he and even himself always found the complete opposite. Just then the doors opened and Rayne walked into the room.  AJ stood up just as surprised as everyone else to see her walk into the room. 

 

“Rayne you should be resting.” AJ said as he walked over to her.

 

“I am fine” She replied. “I realized something while talking to Alexander.”

 

“What was that?” Avit asked.

 

“The Tree is just for show.” She told them. “It has no meaning what so ever.”

 

“So how do they plan on opening the door?” Jaina asked.

 

“Me” She said.  “I am the key; Kimiri told me that it was the blood of the people that Pixca needed to keep the door closed.”

 

“Like when the Castle collapsed and you died.”

 

“What?” AJ said looking at her but she didn’t acknowledge his shock.

 

“Yes but Pixca brought me back, it is what she did with all the others.  They would die to keep the door closed, and then she would bring them back, using the Dryad as an explanation.” She told them.  “She killed Silvnia, brought her back as the Dryad, everything was going well until Loki got the Dwarfs to attack and kill her.  That opened the door and it was not till I died in the Castle that it closed again.

 

“So in order to open it, they have to kill you again?” Kevin spoke up and she nodded.

 

“Is that why Dyn came for you?” Avit asked.

 

“I believe so and it makes me wonder if he would be back.” She said with a sigh.

 

“But wait” AJ said speaking up and everyone looked at him confused.  “How many times have you died?” AJ asked as he looked at Rayne.

 

“Three times.” She told him and he raised his eyebrows a little surprised.

 

“Ok” He said shaking it off a little.  “Than how come the door didn’t close the first time you died? And then opened again, and then closed again.”

 

“I have thought about that.” She said and she smiled at him.  “The only thing I can think of is I was not dead long enough.”

 

“Nalia, you said you could help Nick?” Brian spoke up.

 

“How?” Rayne asked.

 

“He said AJ was the key to something only he could see and we know Nick is almost impossible to beat but what about when he moves to the shadows.”

 

“I do not understand” Rayne replied confused.

 

“Remember when he took off the first time and you said you saw a Magic trail?” Nalia said and AJ shook his head no, Nalia sighed.  “What if it is that only you can see the Magic, if you can see that in the shadows we know where he is?”

 

“And attack him, if he is weaker when he is moving through them…that does make sense.” Rayne said with a nod.  “If we can get him into the dark perhaps then I would be able to pull the demon aura from him. I tried before but he stopped me.” As she had her arms gently wrapped around her ribs.

 

“It is something to try.” Nalia replied. “As long as my thoughts are correct that he is weaker in the dark.”

 

“So what is the plan now then?” Kevin asked.

 

“Go to the tree, distract Rossi as long as you can, Nalia, Alex and I will…”

 

AJ interrupted her.  “Wait what? Me? I can’t do anything I’ll end up getting the two of you killed along with myself.”

 

“Alex” Rayne said as she looked at him.

 

“No” He replied shaking his head.  “So I did that teleport thingy big fucking whoop, I don’t even know how I did it.”

 

AJ sat in his chair staring at the table as everyone else talked around him.  A shadow appeared and he looked up.  It was Rayne standing beside him.  He looked away and saw everyone leaving the room.

 

“Alex I know you are…” He interrupted her again.

 

“I ain’t going.” AJ said.  “You can barely walk as it is, having me there, worrying about me there is something extra you don’t need.”

 

“But I need you.” She told him and he looked at her confused.  “You are my strength, as I am yours, and I need you there fighting beside me.”

 

“But I can’t fight.” AJ said as he looked at her. “I did one little spell doesn’t make me fucking Merlin.”

 

“Who?” Rayne replied a little confused.

 

“Never mind” AJ sighed. “I’ll just stay here I need to get ready anyways.”

 

“For what?” Rayne replied still confused.

 

“I’m going home.” He said in almost a mumble.

 

“Home?” Rayne said as she slowly sat down beside him.  “This is your home.”

 

“Than I mean Earth I’m going back to Earth.”

 

“Alex” Rayne sighed. 

 

He stood up from his chair and headed to the door.  “You better go get ready.”

 

“You are running again.” Rayne said and AJ stopped at the door.  “You did this before, when Rexil took my memory and you found out that I had feelings for Dyn, you ran.” He turned to look at her and she was walking towards him. “When you first got here, all you did was run from things; you didn’t want to deal with anything.  Kevin said…”

 

“Oh Kevin said.” AJ replied getting defensive.  “Kevin doesn’t know shit about me, he likes to think he does but he has no fucking clue about me!” AJ snapped.  He then walked out of the room and he thought that was the end of it until…

 

“Your Father was an idiot.” Rayne shouted at him from back down the hall, AJ stopped.  “He did not want to put the work into being a Father, he blamed your Mother and your grandparents, he did everything but except responsibility for his actions.” He turned and looked at her.  “He left a hole in your heart, left you alone and feeling unwanted.  He left you searching for something to fill that whole.”  She walked towards him and stopped right in front of him. “All you wanted was to be a son, to be loved, to be wanted, to have someone look at you and say, I am so proud of what you have become.”

 

“Kevin tell you this?” AJ asked.

 

“No” She replied.  “You did.”

 

“Oh” He said a little shocked.

 

“You then told me that knowing Marsa for all of a week made you feel more like a son than any time you spent chasing after your Father on Earth.” She said.

 

“Look there’s a lot more than just…”

 

She interrupted him this time.  “Your Father I know, trust me I know.” She said.  “There are things I just wish I did not know, things I wish I had not seen but…”

 

“Seen?” AJ replied confused.

 

“Another long story” She replied.  “I know what you have been through, even though some of it I do not understand because I never lived in your world.”  Then to his surprised she took his hand.  “I know you are scared and unsure but trust me you do not want to go home.”  And then she did something he really wasn’t expecting, she kissed him.  Her lips pressed against his and he stood there for a moment in shock.  Then as a calming warm feeling rushed over him, he relaxed and fell into the kiss.

 

The words she spoke before the kiss, the way she made him feel during the kiss it all started to over whelm him and he pulled away. “Stop” He said their lips touching.  Then he pulled her away.  “Stop” She looked at him confused.  “I need to go”

 

“Alex” She replied as he walked past her.  When she reached for him she gasped a little in pain but he didn’t turn around. He kept walking as she yelled for him to come back but he didn’t.  His mind was a flurry with words and feelings as he walked around the halls of the Castle.

 

“Oh Jiggity.” Nick sang from behind him and AJ stopped dead. “Jiggity…Jiggity…Jiggity.” The voice said and slowly AJ turned around.  He didn’t see Nick anywhere but what he did see was confusing.  A purple mist floated about the dark corner of the hall, it trailed down the hallway to his right and he turned as he followed it.  Then it stopped against a doorway. Then out of that corner a purple orb went flying at him. 

 

A bright light shone around him and the purple orb exploded in front of him.  He looked around and saw Kevin standing behind him with his sword drawn.  Kristin was standing beside him her bow ready in front of her. The almost demonic laugh broke through the halls and AJ turned to look at the doorway again.

 

“Where is he?” Kevin asked as him and his wife walked up to AJ.

 

“I think he’s over there.” AJ said pointing to where he saw the purple mist go.

 

“How do you know?” Kristin asked.

 

“I see a trail of like purple shit floating across the room.”

 

“His Magic.” Kevin said.  “As a Mage you can see Magic, like they were talking about at the meeting.”

 

Another one of the purple orbs went flying at them and it slammed into AJ.  It knocked him down to the ground and he looked up quickly when he heard fighting around him.  Kristin sent an arrow flying to the corner but nothing happened.  Kevin on the other hand was using his sword to fight off those purple orbs as they flew at him. 

 

“Where is he?” Kevin shouted. 

 

AJ looked around.  “Second doorway!” He shouted back.

 

AJ watched as Kevin sent out a golden beaming light towards the doorway, it hit something, exploded and then he saw Nick come tumbling into the hallway.  He hunched over grabbing his chest and then stood up straighter.

 

The sound of a growl and someone running behind him made him turn around, he saw the wolf running at the speed of light and Nalia coming up behind her.  As Rayne in wolf form passed him she leaped at Nick and in mid air changed back into Rayne.  She slammed into Nick and they both went tumbling into the room. AJ noticed Kevin ran for the room the same time he did.

“Wait!” Nalia shouted as she ran in front of them.

 

“What do you mean wait?” AJ and Kevin said at the same time.

 

Nalia turned around and they both looked at each other.  Then they heard Rayne shout something in the room, they heard Nick scream in pain and then a demon came stumbling out of the room. With a grunt Nalia sent her sword sailing at him like a tomahawk and it hit its mark in the chest.  The demon stumbled back but was not fatally hurt. 

 

“Kris arrows!” Kevin shouted and his wife brought up her bow and let three pink arrows fly at the demon.  Kevin sent another Golden beam towards it as Nalia who had already pulled out a second sword went running at it.  With a swing and a twist of her body she swung her sword straight in front of her and sliced off the demons head.

 

A sharp pain ripped through his head and he dropped to the ground, catching himself before his face hit the floor.  Everything went dark but only for a moment, the room started spinning and for a second he thought he was going to be sick.

 

“AJ are you ok man?” Kevin asked and he looked up at his friend.  He then looked around and saw that he wasn’t in Hevi anymore.  Instead he was back home in Winnol. 

 

“Why am I here?” He asked and he tried to remember but his brain was foggy. He looked around at the people looking at him.  Nalia stood over top of a body and his face frowned.  Then he remembered the fighting before.  Remembered Rayne jumping and changing in mid air and then like a flood gate opening his memories rushed back to him.  He remembered talking to Rayne, remembered Dyn showing up, he remembered talking to Kevin and he remembered drinking.  Slowly sitting up he sat against the wall and looked at his friend who was staring at him with concern. 

 

“Oh man I feel like an eighteen wheeler just hit me.” Nick said as he walked out of the room.  He grabbed his head and fell to his knees.  AJ looked away as Nalia ran up to Nick and knelt down in front of him. 

 

His head ached a little and he rubbed his eyes trying to clear the last of the cobwebs.  He laid his head against the wall, he looked at Kevin who was still staring at him and breathed out heavily.  “All those years down the fucking shitter.”

 

“Dawg, you can’t really help what happened; you just gotta make sure it ends now that you remember again.” Kevin said.  “You do remember again right?”

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded lightly.  “Wait” He said sitting up quickly.  “Where is Rayne?”

 

“She is over here.” Nalia said and AJ stood up.  He quickly walked over to the room and saw her sitting against the side of a couch.  He walked right past Nick and Nalia and knelt down in front of her.  She looked up at him, she had a cut on her forehead and there was some blood down the side of her face.

 

“You ok Beautiful?” He asked as he took the sleeve to his robe and covered the cut.

 

She looked at him.  “You called me beautiful.”

 

“Yeah” He nodded.  “How are your ribs?”

 

“Sore but I am not coughing up blood.” She replied as he smiled lightly at her.  “Nick is alright?”

 

AJ looked back at his friend.  “Yeah he’s ok, maybe some Spring time but he will be ok.”  He checked over the cut on her forehead and cleaned her face a little.  “Wanna try to get up?” He asked and she nodded.  Carefully he wrapped her arm around his and slowly helped her stand up.  They walked over to the door way as Nalia was helping Nick up.

 

“Shit is that what they look like?” AJ asked as everyone gathered around the demon body.

 

“That’s kind of what Loki looked like in my dream.” Nick said his voice quiet and strained.

 

“Come, we need to get you to the Springs.” Nalia said as she started to lead Nick down the hallway.

 

 

Chapter 33 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 33

           

            AJ sat outside the cave to the Priest room at the Springs.  He was waiting for Rayne to come out as everyone else waited for Nick.  When the Priest came out but she didn’t he looked into the doorway.  He waited but she still didn’t come out.  Slowly he got up from the bench his brain still a little woozy and walked into the room.  She was sitting on the marble table, her legs dangling lightly as she stared at the floor.

 

He watched her for a moment and he wondered if she knew he was there.  “So” AJ spoke getting her attention and she quickly looked up at him.  He walked over to her and hopped up onto the marble table with her.  “I am really sorry about how I treated you.”

 

“I suppose you mean when you called me all those crude names and said you could not see yourself marrying such a…what was the word? Such a fucking nag?” She said as he felt like he had just shrunk five feet. “Or on your way to Kevin’s room you called me a fucking shrew and asked if you were jacked when you married me.” She said and AJ shrunk another two feet.

 

“Yeah.” AJ replied embarrassed.

 

“Or perhaps you mean when you said I have cobwebs.”

 

“Alright I get it.” AJ said annoyed but he knew he deserved it.

 

“Why do Humans from Earth have to be so crude?” She asked with a light sigh. Rayne sat silent for a moment and he looked at her with a frown.  Her head turned and she looked at him, the anger had disappeared and her eyes showed sympathy. “What happened?”

 

“I went to get a servant and the one I picked turned out to be Nick, he caught me so off guard before I knew it I was being drained.” He told her.  “Then he said he was going to show you what I was really like and then the next thing that happened was me waking up and freaking out.”

 

He waited for her to say something but she didn’t and not that he could blame her. His eyes drifted over to the door and he sighed, he didn’t know what to do.  Should he beat himself up over going to the taverns, does he really have to start over because of this?  Or should he put it behind him, a little blip in the road and nothing more.  His thought dispersed when he felt her hand over his.  He looked up at her and she was looking down at them.  Her fingers slipped through his and then she her eyes went to him.

 

“I worried about you.” She told him and he could tell she was holding back the tears.

 

“I know.” He replied with a frown.

 

“I was so afraid you would end up alone, drunk in the empty streets at three in the morning with Nickolas and I would not be able to help you.” She said as he placed his other hand over theirs.

 

“Things are still coming back to me and I remember what you did.  Fighting Nick and breaking your ribs, you not being able to breath.  Fighting Dyn and finding you by the window, you put yourself in front of me time and time again.” He said as he looked at her.

 

“As you have for me.” She said as she gently touched his cheek with the back of her free hand.

 

“And I will again because you need rest.” He said before he gently kissed the back of her hand.

 

“But we need to get to…”

 

He interrupted her. “Nope” He shook his head.  “The tree is bogus and you are safe, Rossi can rot waiting there for all I care.” He told her.  “Nick and you both need some rest before we go off to Tokia.”

 

AJ slipped down off the table and he carefully helped his wife down.  He wrapped his arm through hers and then they walked out of the cave.  AJ saw his friends still standing around outside the cave talking.

 

“Hey” Kevin said when his friend had seen them.

 

“How’s Nick?” AJ asked.

 

“In there with Nalia right now, he’s good still a little confused on what happened.” Kevin told him.  “How are the two of you?”

 

“I am doing better, thank you.” Rayne replied with a  smile.

 

“I’m good” AJ nodded.  “I’m taking Rayne back to the Castle to rest up.”

 

“Yeah we’re going to head back and rest up too then.” Kevin said as everyone began walking out of the Springs.  “I’m sure those two want some much needed alone time.”

 

 

Nick sat deep in the water; he could feel it lightly splashing against his neck as droplets softly dripped onto the top of his head.  He was relaxed and calm and the throbbing that over took his body was slowing disappearing.  Again more droplets of water fell onto his head but this time they were followed by a hand that lightly drifted down his head.  Fingers gently combed through his hair and he tiredly opened his eyes.  He saw Nalia sitting next to the tub, her arm resting on the edge as her hand held her head.  He watched as her right hand dipped into the water and scooped up more water but when she went to raise her hand above him again he stopped her.  She jumped a little when his hand touched hers and sat up.

 

Nick stared at her and was a little surprised she didn’t say anything either.  His eyes scanned her face, she didn’t look any different but he supposed she wasn’t really too far along.  He had so many questions, how long had she known? Was she happy? Was she scared? He licked his lips and sat up a little.  His body ached and it made him wince a little.

 

“Nali…”

 

“I am not with child Nickolas.” Nalia told him and he froze. Then his heart started to race, did he do something to her? Was this his fault?

 

“Did I…?”

 

“No” She replied.  “I never was, Rayne made it up.”

 

“Made it up?” He replied confused.

 

“Before you showed up in her dream she was talking to Marsa, he made a comment about her and Alex having children. When you had her trapped she panicked and that is what came out.”  She told him and he looked away a little confused.

 

“Oh” He replied when it hit him.  “Now I remember.” Nick paused and then spoke again.  “So you’re not pregnant?” He asked and she shook her head.

 

Placing his hand on his forehead he sighed, it was all just so confusing.  He really did feel like his body was hit by something, something big.  It was just like with Ignis no control but he saw it all go down.  He saw everything from walking out of the room in Hevi, hiding in the shadows in the globe room, walking to the park in Winnol and killing Pixca.  To learning Nalia was pregnant or at least he thought, taking her from her room, brining her back to the ship and try to strangle her.  He fought so hard to break free, to try and gain some control.

 

“Nick?” Nalia said and he opened his eyes. 

 

“Yeah?” He replied as he looked at her.

 

“Do you remember being in the park?” She asked.

 

“You mean when I killed Pixca?” Nick said sadly.

 

“No” she replied and he looked at her confused.

 

“The second time, when it was actually you in the park.” She told him.  He looked away for a moment thinking and then it hit him.

 

“Yeah I remember.” He told her with a nod.

 

“Tell me about the dream.” She said and his mind thought back.  A small smile etched across his lips and he slowly sat up.  He leaned on the edge of the tub and gently pressed his head against hers.

 

“I was in Tokia in a Gem store.  I was buying a ring for you.” He told her as he brought their hands against him.

 

“What kind of ring?” She asked.

 

He pulled his head away and looked at her.  “An engagement ring.”

 

“But that is all it was, was a dream am I right?” She said and he looked at her a little shocked.

 

“What do you mean?” He asked but he wasn’t really confused.

 

“Every time someone brings up us getting married, you turn it into a joke or answer quickly and change the subject and I know you because of your parents on Earth plus everything thing else you have dealt with back on Earth relationship wise.” She took a breath and sighed. “I know that…”

 

He stopped her from talking.  “I want to spend the rest of my life with you, no one else but you. I believe that we don’t have to be married to have that, to be able to do that but after Rossi did what he did to you, I started to think.” He paused.  “I know shocking.”

 

Nalia smiled and lightly laughed.

 

It made him smile. “I started to think that if I’ve already decided to make that commitment and getting married is important to you, its important here, than why not.  It’s a ceremony a little partying and then we move on and live our lives together anyways.”

 

Nick pressed his lips against hers and waited until hers parted.  He collapsed his lips against hers, trapping them in a soft grasp. When he let go he whispered.  “I love you so much Nali.”

 

“I love you too my darling.” She whispered back just before their lips clasped together again.

 

 

 

Rayne’s eyes drifted open as she slowly began to wake.  The curtain in front of her hung close and she wondered what time it was.  She turned her head and looked at her husband except he wasn’t there.  Slowly sitting up she swung her legs off the bed and between the curtains.  She took a moment to catch her breath, her ribs still sore.  Standing up she made her way passed her bed, taking smaller steps than usual.  Stopping at the corner bed post she peeked around.  The window was open and the full moon sent a bright beam of light down the middle of their room.  The silhouette of someone sitting at the window didn’t alarm her.

 

“Alex?” She spoke quietly and he turned and looked at her.  “What are you doing up?”

 

“Can’t sleep” He replied. “But you should get back to bed; you need your rest Beautiful.”

 

His words didn’t stop her from walking over to him.  She sat down in front of him, wincing as a muscle cramp like pain attacked her chest and then left again.  “I am fine; tell me what is on your mind.”

 

“Rayne” He said to her with a frown.

 

“Is it Nickolas?” She asked hoping it wouldn’t lead into a bickering fight.

 

“No it’s not Nick.” He replied and she watched him as he took a deep breath and let out a small sigh.  “Just thinking about the past couple of days, how I felt when I woke up.”

 

“Realizing you were an Elvaan?”

 

“No not that just…” He looked at her when he paused.  “…being back there in that way of thinking, feeling the emptiness, the loneliness, and just not feeling at all because of it.”

 

Her eyes drifted down to his hands, her fingers drifted across the faded tattoo’s on his fingers, and she knew what he meant.  “Your Aura was so dim.” She told him still staring at his hands.  “I just kept thinking about everything you had told me, what I had seen, and seeing your aura the way it was…” She slipped her fingers between his and closed her hand over.  “But that was a long time ago and even on another planet.” She said trying to get a smile out of him and she wasn’t happy with the small one she got.

 

“Are you disappointed in me?” He asked.

 

“Absolutely not why would I be?” She replied shocked that he would think that.

 

“Because of the drinking.” He said.

 

“Oh Alex no” She replied with a sigh as she reached up and touched his cheek.  “You could not help what happened.”

 

“It just feels like I have to start all over again, fight the craving, beat the craving and I wonder if I am up for it again.” He told her and her heart sank a little, she wanted so much to help him but she wasn’t sure if she could. She had never really dealt with this before. Of course they had drunks but it was always the people, nothing like this ever happened in her family. This was something that couldn’t be fixed with magic. Although she wished it could.  “Like now all I want to do is go down to the Tavern and just have a mug or two to take this edge off.”

 

“What did you use to do back on Earth when you felt like that?” She asked.

 

“I would find something to do, occupy myself until it passed.” He replied. Still holding his hand Rayne slowly stood up and he looked at her.  “What?”

 

“Let us go do something than.” She said as she tugged on his hand to get him to stand up.

 

“It’s three in the morning.” He replied still staying seated. “Where would we go at three in the morning? Sure back on Earth where I lived I could but…”

 

“Who said we were leaving?” She spoke as her eyebrow raised a little and she tugged on his hand again.  His lips revealed a flicker of a smile but only for a second and he still did not stand.  “Your ribs.”

 

“I said I am fine.” She replied giving him another tug and this time he stood up. They stood close together as her eyes drifted down his face to his lips and then back to his eyes. “Besides, I trust you will be gentle.”

 

Chapter 34 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 34

           

            AJ walked down the street as he made his way towards the Springs.  Some of the people gave him quick glances and he wondered if they were in the Tavern when he was or perhaps they heard the stories that were now being told about the last couple of days.  He sighed to himself as he looked up at the bright morning sky.  The air was warm for how early it was and he wondered if this meant summer was coming.  Even though they didn’t get snow in Winnol the months before had been rather cold. 

 

            “Good morning you’re Highness.” Someone spoke and he looked to the voice.

 

“Lawrence” AJ replied seeing Bussa’s second in command standing in front of him.  “How is Jaina doing?”

 

“Very well Sir, I am just heading to inform Queen Rayne that she will be able to return to Drisel today.”

 

“My wife is still sleeping; if you want I can tell her.” AJ told him.

 

“That would be fine, thank you King Alexander.” Lawrence replied with a light nod.  “I will see you at the meeting then.”

 

“See you there” AJ replied as Lawrence began to walk towards the Castle. He didn’t really like Lawrence, there was something about him.  If Rayne were here she would say it was because of Avit and Jaina and he knew she was probably right.  His mind drifted back to when he woke up and how he must have laid in bed for an hour before he actually got up.  He did nothing but watched her sleep and thought about how amazing she was the night before.  And he wasn’t talking about the sex part. It also reminded him that no one and nothing can make him feel as good as she makes him feel.

 

When he heard people laughing he looked up and realized he was in the Springs.  Kevin, Howie and Brian stood outside Nick’s cave talking.  They were so engrossed in the conversation they didn’t see him walk up too them.

 

“Hey guys” AJ said and the three turned around.

 

“Hey man, how’s the head?” Kevin asked.

 

“Good” He replied with a nod.  “Everything seems back in place.”

 

“Where’s Rayne?” Howie asked looking around.

 

“Still sleeping” AJ replied. “How’s Nick?”

 

“He’s good just waiting for the Priest to finish the morning check up.” Brian told him.

 

“Well I’m going to go check on Jaina first and then I’ll come see him.” He told them and then headed into Jaina’s cave.

 

When he walked into the room he saw her sitting on the edge staring into the pool of water.  “Jaina?” He spoke and her head snapped up.

 

“King Alexander.” She replied and he heard some shock to her voice.  “What are you doing here?”

 

“I figured I would come check on you, Rayne is still sleeping.” He told her.

 

“How is she doing?” She asked with concern.

 

“Much better” He replied.

 

“That is good to hear.” She said as she looked back down into the water.

 

“I hear you are getting out.” He said and she looked back up at him.  “I saw Lawrence on my way here.”

 

“Yes and I am eager to get back to my duties.” She replied.

 

“Well we are eager to have you back.” He replied with a light smile.  “Have you seen Avit this morning?”

 

“No” She said and her body language perked the curiosity in him.  “I have only seen him once since I have been here.”

 

“Really?” AJ replied and he couldn’t help but let the shock in his voice out.

 

“Yes” She nodded.  “You told him to come and check on me for Queen Rayne.”

 

“Oh” AJ replied and her body language made him regret the curiosity.

 

“I am grateful for your concern King Alexander but Avit has made his decision and trust me I have tried to change his mind.” She told him. “He loves your sister and does not want to let go…”

 

“That’s not healthy.” AJ replied quickly and then realized he should have bit his tongue.

 

Jaina smiled.  “I have told him that as well but that is the way he chooses to live life.” AJ stayed quiet and the room fell silent. 

 

“Jaina?” Lawrence said from the doorway as he walked in but stopped dead when he saw AJ standing there. “King Alexander”

 

“Lawrence good to see you again” AJ replied trying to stay diplomatic.  “Well I should go check on Nick now, glad you are doing better Jaina.”

 

“Thank you” She replied with a light smile and nod. He walked out of the cave a little depressed, he had hoped he could work some kind of magic and make Jaina see the light but now he realized it wasn’t Jaina that needed the magic. 

 

“There he is” Kevin said and AJ looked up.  “Nick wants to see you.” AJ walked past his friends and into the cave.  When he walked in he saw Nalia and Nick talking, Nick still lying in the tub and Nalia sitting beside him.

 

“Well you’re looking better.” AJ said and Nick looked up and Nalia shifted her body around.

 

“I am going to go get something to eat.” Nalia said as she stood up.

 

“Good, you should go get some sleep too.” Nick said as she started walking towards the door.  AJ smiled and lightly laughed as he watched Nalia wave Nick’s comment off.

 

“So how ya doin’?” AJ asked as he sat down beside his friend.

 

“Better than yesterday.” He replied.

 

AJ sighed.  “Yeah I hear ya.”

 

“How’s Rayne doing? I hope she’s not to mad at you.” Nick said. “I can talk to her if you want, tell her…”

 

“Its fine Nick, she’s fine.” AJ replied.  “She’s not mad.”

 

“Really?” His friend said a little shocked.

 

AJ smiled. “She knows how I was; she knows what I went through, hell thanks to you and Ignis or Ti’Hort, whatever the hell his name is she saw some of it.”

 

“So things are ok between the two of you?” Nick asked.

 

“Never better” AJ replied as a quick memory of last night flashed through his mind.

 

“Awesome than we’re even.” Nick replied.

 

“Even?” AJ said confused.

 

“Yeah, putting up with drunken dick headed AJ is enough payment for lying about Nalia being pregnant.” Nick told him.

 

“You’re an ass.” AJ sighed. “Besides she was backed into a corner and you know that.”

 

“Yeah” Nick replied the tone in his voice was disbelief. “I can’t believe I did all those things.”

 

“You know better, it wasn’t you.” AJ told him.

 

“Why me, seriously first Ignis, now Loki, what makes me so damn special.”

 

“Rayne says it’s your Power.” AJ told him and Nick looked at him shocked.

 

“You remember when you found Dyn with Rayne?” AJ asked.

 

“Yeah what was up with that?” He asked.

 

AJ sighed “Dyn took off with her after she chewed his ass out for being him.”

 

“He’s not right.” Nick replied.

 

“Yeah, well after you gave her the choice and she took off…”

 

Nick interrupted him.  “She told you about that huh?”

 

“Yeah, and she’s pissed at you.” AJ replied quickly.

 

“Cause of what I made her do?” He asked.

 

“No because you didn’t do it.” AJ told him and Nick looked at him shocked. “She ran until she passed out, she woke up in a cave and she met an Elvaan.”

 

“Who?” Nick replied confused.

 

“His name is Kimiri I haven’t seen him much, him and the others seem to stay to their rooms.” AJ told him.  “They are the last of the people who lived here before the Drak’nor came.”

 

“There are still some of them alive?” Nick replied even more confused.

 

“All Elvaans live longer than most people, we live longer than the humans and dwarfs here, the Elvaans from Aurona live longer, Pixca probably didn’t know exactly how long they lived.” AJ told him. “He told Rayne that Warlocks are a magic profession that Pixca created but because of your Guardian Powers you are becoming stronger.  Like Rayne and I have, like Nalia has.”

 

“I’m still blown away it was all a lie, I wonder how Nali and Rayne feel.” Nick said.  “Growing up with this legend, with this God and now learning she was nothing but a fake in hiding.”

 

“You wouldn’t happen to know anything, from Loki’s point of view would you?” AJ wondered.

 

“What do you mean?” Nick asked.

 

“Do you know anything about the Drak’nor that could help us?”

 

Nick sat there silent for a moment thinking and then like a light bulb going off he snapped his fingers and sat up.  “That’s what I wanted to tell you.”

 

“Huh?” AJ replied with a light laugh.

 

“Loki was here before Pixca.” Nick told him.  “Loki stayed after the Drak’nor had left, he was happy with the way the place was.  Then Pixca showed up and started changing everything, so he just sat back and watched what happened.”  AJ slowly nodded as he listened. “When Ti’Hort showed up Loki decided to make his move.  He corrupted the Dwarfs and that meant Genua and well you know the rest.”

 

“Why did he stay?” AJ asked.

 

“It was a reward, someone from this place before Pixca summoned Loki, he went back and got the Drak’nor, they destroyed this place and as a reward, they gave it to him.”

 

“Wait a minute…they were summoned here?”

 

“Yeah, someone from before they all got here and destroyed everything.”

 

“So this person opens the door and…”

 

“It’s not a door it’s a portal…well I guess it is a door but it’s really a portal.” Nick replied.

 

“Is there a point to this?” AJ asked annoyed.

 

“Yep” Nick nodded. “And it doesn’t really close, when the blood from someone here, someone chosen like Rayne, is used, it just goes dormant until someone else’s blood is used.”

 

“So it’s not closed.” AJ said

 

“Right” Nick replied nodding.

 

“So then how do we close it?” AJ hated it when Nick played twenty questions.

 

 “Who ever summoned Loki here must have used his or hers blood to open the portal…what if it is Loki’s blood that closes the portal.”

 

“It makes sense.” AJ said as he nodded again.  “I’ll make sure I bring this up at the meeting.”

 

“Why, I’ll be there” Nick said as AJ stood up.

 

“Dude, you don’t need to go Nali can fill you in, you need to rest.” AJ told him.

 

“I’m feeling much better; I’ve danced my ass off and sang for two hours feeling worse than this.” Nick said smartly. “I’ll be fine.”

 

“I’ll take your word for it.” AJ replied.  “I am going to go wake Rayne, I will see you at the meeting.”

 

“Alright” Nick said with a sigh as he sunk back into the water.

 

“You take it easy.” AJ said as he turned to Nick before walking out the door.

 

When he walked out to the Springs he saw no one was there and kind of wondered why no one waited for him.  He walked out into the streets and greeted the people with smiles and nods, even the ones who whispered as he walked past.  Stopping at a small flower stand he looked for the flowers that Rayne adored and just as he saw a bouquet littered with them, someone yelled his name.  He looked up as a guard came running towards him. When the man stopped in front of him he looked at the guard confused.

 

“You’re Majesty you need to come to Drisel right away.” The man told him and AJ didn’t like the look on the man’s face.

 

“Is it Queen Rayne?” AJ asked with worry.

 

“No Sir, Avit sent me to get you he sent another Guard to get her.” The Soldier told him.

 

“I will teleport and meet you there.” AJ told him and the man nodded.

 

In a flash of light he was at the Drisel Palace in the hallway outside of the Globe Room to Winnol.  He looked around and saw the halls were empty. When he started to walk down towards the large staircase someone came running around the corner from the other end of the hall.  They never acknowledge him and never saw him as they hurriedly ran down the stairs.  AJ made his way to the stairs and looked down to the foyer below.

 

“Alexander” Avit’s voice said from beside him and he spun around.

 

“What’s wrong?” AJ asked when he saw the look on his General’s face.  Avit said nothing as he turned around and AJ followed.  They walked down towards where he saw the woman running to the stairs and as they did what he saw paralyzed his whole body.  There on the floor was Rayne’s Mother.  She wasn’t moving, she wasn’t breathing, her eyes still open and as AJ stood over top of her he collapsed to his knees.

 

“Halian…” AJ whispered hoping he got some sort of reaction from her but there was nothing from the lifeless body in front of him.  Then as he looked closely he noticed her neck, his teeth gritted, his fist clenched and his breathing became heavy. Her neck had been broken.

 

“Who…did…this…” AJ huffed out.

 

“Reports are saying it was Dyn Sir.” Avit said solemnly. AJ closed his eyes, he knew Avit would say him, would say that name.

 

“Avit what is so important that…” Rayne’s voice stopped and he dared not turn around.  He didn’t want to see the pain in her eyes and he didn’t want to see her heart break but with one word, he didn’t need to see it he heard it. 

 

“Mother?”

 

Slowly AJ stood up and turned around. He looked at his wife as her eyes drifted down past him and then horror ripped across her face.  Rayne ran at her mother but AJ wrapped his arm around her waist and stopped her.  She pushed on his chest; she tried to pull his arm away as she screamed at her Mother.

 

“Someone raise her!” Rayne shouted as AJ stood there holding her.

 

“Rayne they can’t.” AJ told her as he tried to fight back his tears.

 

“What do you mean?” She asked as she looked at him her eyes drenched in tears. “Get a damn Priest and raise her!!”

 

“Her neck Rayne…” AJ told her and didn’t want to finish the sentence.  Her eyes darted down to her Mother and then closed as she started to cry harder.  She collapsed into his arms as her cries turned to screams and uncontrollable sobs.

 

Rayne pulled away from AJ and looked at him.  “Who…” She paused and gasped for air, trying to push back her sobs so she could speak.  “Who…did…this?”  He didn’t want to tell her, he didn’t want her to be hurt anymore and he didn’t want to have to deal with the anger she would unleash when she found out. “WHO DID THIS!?” She yelled at AJ.

 

“Dyn.” AJ replied and the grip on his sleeves got tighter.  Her eyes closed and then she buried her face into his chest as she broke down again.

 



 

Chapter 35 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 35

           

            AJ sat on the couch with his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. His wife was now sleeping.  He brought her to their room in Hevi when she started losing it in the hallway and then had Avit retrieve a Priest when she wouldn’t calm down.  The Healer conjured a sleep spell and now she had been sleeping for a couple of hours. 

 

He began to think about Halian seeing her lying there, her eyes open but there was no life in them.  With a sigh he let the sadness and pain out.  His heart ached for Rayne seeing the pain she was in and his heart ached for Halian.  Missing the woman that had been there for him much like a Mother and coming to the realization that she wouldn’t be there anymore.

 

There was a light knock at the door and AJ looked up as he caught his breath.  He wiped his eyes and looked over to the bed hoping it didn’t wake his sleeping wife.  Composing himself not knowing who was at the door he stood up and made his way to answer it.  When he opened it he was surprised to see a tall old Elvaan standing in front of him.

 

“Kimiri right?” AJ said as he looked up at him.

 

“Yes” The Elvaan nodded.  “I heard about her Majesty’s Mother, I came to give her my sympathy’s.” He said.

 

“She is sleeping right now, Priests orders.” He told him.

 

“I see” He replied with a light smile.  The sound of someone walking up behind the Elvaan perked both men’s attention and the looked to see who it was.

 

“Avit” AJ said seeing his General stopping behind them.

 

“I will leave you to your business King Alexander, please tell Queen Rayne I came by and again I am truly sorry for her loss.” Kimiri said with a light bow.

 

“Thank you and I will relay your message.” He told the old Elvaan. When Kimiri left AJ turned to Avit. “What’s up?”

 

“I know this may not be the best time but we need to discuss Loki.” Avit said as AJ opened the door wider.

 

“Come in” AJ said.

 

Avit took a stepped in and then stopped.  “Her Majesty is sleeping?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded.

 

“Perhaps we should go to the meeting room.” Avit suggested.

 

“I am not leaving her alone because of what happened and because who knows where Dyn is right now or what he will do next.” AJ said as he sat down on the couch.  “What is the final word on what happened here?”

 

“From what witnesses say Halian was walking down the hall and Dyn appeared out of now where, they exchanged words and Halian started to walk away.  That is when he came up from behind her and…” Avit stopped.

 

“He did this for a reason; there was no strategy to this but to get to Rayne.” AJ said with anger. “He wanted her to go through this, he wanted it to happen and that pisses me off so fucking much.” AJ breathed heavily.  “When I get my hands on him.” With an angry grunt he stood up and walked over to the window.

 

“I have had eyes every where and no one has seen him.” Avit told him.

 

A soft moan broke from behind the curtains and both men looked at the bed.  After a moment AJ looked back over to Avit, his General was looking at him.  The Elvaan took a deep breath and then spoke.

 

“Nickolas told me about what he had learned about Loki.” Avit said as AJ headed back to the couch.  “I think if we take Sarila’s fleet and Kalica’s fleet we can set up a base on the north-east coast line, find one of the entrances around there and make our way through.”

 

“I want you to get the gang, Nalia and Nick, go over everything with Evia, Bussa and Jaina, and then we will gather and head out.” AJ said as both him and Avit stood up.

 

“Very well Sir.” Avit replied with a nod.

 

AJ walked him over to the door and said goodbye.  He closed the door quietly and locked it and then walked back over to the couch.  Sitting back he shut his eyes and took a deep breath.  How he wished he could just grab Rayne and run away, teleport somewhere with her and hide away from everything.

 

“Mom?” Rayne loudly moaned from behind the curtain and he sat up looking towards the bed.  He saw the curtain fly open and saw her start running towards the door.  Quickly he stood up but knew he would not catch her in time if he ran.  With one thought he was standing in front of her and slammed back against the door as she slammed into him.

 

“Whoa” AJ said as she fought against him.  “Rayne stop it’s me.”

 

“Let me go” She said pushing him into the door.  It didn’t hurt but she still fought to get passed him.  “I am going to find him.”

 

“Rayne” He said as he tried to grab her arms.

 

“I am going to find him and I will kill him, this time I will kill him.” She said and he heard her voice crack.

 

“You do not even know where he is Rayne.” AJ said as he was able to stop her from swinging and she looked up at him. 

 

“It is because of him my Mother is…” She stopped and for a moment she had the look like she was going to be sick.  “Because of him…” Her voice was now a whisper and that sick look came back. As a tear dripped down her cheek she opened her mouth to say something but a loud voice broke through out the room.

 

“Because of me your Mother is dead.”

 

AJ snapped his head towards his brother as he felt Rayne slip from his grasp.  He reached for her but only caught thin air.  She dashed at Dyn but he was ready for her and grabbed her arms as she reached for him.  He threw her down to the floor and pushed out his hand releasing a wind spell.  It blew Rayne across the room; she slid across the floor and slammed into the wall beside AJ’s dresser. 

 

AJ unleashed a firebolt towards Dyn but his brother was quicker and dodged the fireball.  It slammed into the wall beside the bed leaving a round scorch mark.  Quickly he teleported over to Rayne and popped up in front of Dyn.  With a swing of his arm he sent his fist flying into his brother’s face sending the Elvaan stumbling back.  Just as AJ went to go at his brother again Rayne went bolting past him.

 

“Rayne!” AJ shouted as he watched as Dyn teleported away and she went crashing to the ground.  He ran for her but someone grabbed him by the back of his robe and he was spun around.

 

“Halian was just as foolish as the two of you thinking you could stop me, thinking she could just walk away and ignore me.” Dyn growled in anger and then with another growl he sent AJ flying over the couch.  He crashed hard into the table but the adrenaline aloud him to recover quickly.  When he stood up he saw Dyn pulling Rayne up by the hair. AJ was starting to think Dyn killing Halian wasn’t because of Rayne.  He wondered was it because of him? But why Halian?

 

“You will feel the pain you caused me.” Dyn yelled at him and then sent her flying into AJ.  The couple slammed into the stone wall.  The room was spinning and as he opened his eyes he saw his brother walking up to them.  “One by one I will take them all away just like you took everything from me.” Dyn said as he pulled up Rayne.  He reached for his brother’s robe and pulled on it but his mind couldn’t comprehend the command to pull and he just grabbed at air. “Even after you kill Loki and you wonder what is next, I will be there, reminding you every single day…” Dyn spoke as he dragged Rayne across the room.

 

“Dyn…” AJ gasped out as he tried to stand up.  His legs wobbled and he fell to the floor and let on a frustrated huff.  He looked up and watched in horror as Dyn stepped up onto the window bench and threw open the doors.  “Don’t” 

 

His brother stood at the window the wind blew in blowing Rayne’s hair around, she fought against him but AJ knew he was too strong for her.  “Reminding you dear Brother I am the reason you sleep alone at night.”  With those words Dyn shoved Rayne out the window.  Rayne screamed as she went toppling from the windowsill.

 

“Noo!!” AJ screamed and the room seemed to shake.  He scrambled to his feet in a hysterical panic and stared at the window as his brother stood there, his arms extended in a pushing motion.  Something wasn’t right and it knocked him from his hysteria.  He stood there catching his breath panting a little, stopping his tears as he stood with his eyes locked on his brother. Dyn stood at the window motionless.  Quickly his eyes darted to the open window and to his astonishment Rayne was outside the window, floating in midair.  His eyes frowned as he took a step and he saw that she wasn’t floating she was stopped. 

 

AJ walked up to the window and looked at Dyn, everything about the man was frozen, stuck in a moment.  AJ looked outside the window and saw a bird, stopped in mid flight, he looked down the people, even the people weren’t moving.  He looked at Rayne again her face stuck in a terrifying stare at the ground below. Carefully he grabbed her by the waste and quickly pulled her back.  When he did she snapped back into motion and began kicking and screaming. 

 

It sent AJ stumbling back and they both went crashing to the floor.  He landed with his hands behind him catching himself but his eyes never left her.  When she hit the floor she stopped dead and looked around. 

 

“What…” She said breathless.  Her eyes went to AJ and she stared at him and then looked towards the window.  Quickly with a gasp she stood up and backed away from Dyn.  She bumped into AJ and spun around.  To his surprise she pulled away from him and looked at him a little scared. “What…what is this?”

 

“I swear I do not know.” AJ replied.  “Everything just stopped.”

 

“You did this?” She asked looking at him.

 

“I-I don’t know maybe?” He replied.  “I don’t remember doing it, I saw him push you out the window and I lost it.”

 

Rayne turned and looked at Dyn.  Slowly she walked over and studied him.  She then looked out the window and he heard her gasp.  His wife spun around and looked at him.  “Everything has stopped.”

 

“Yeah” AJ replied with a quick nod. 

 

Then Rayne turned and looked at Dyn, she reached for him and began pushing him towards the window.  AJ ran over to her and pulled her away.  “Hey what are you doing?”

 

“Pushing him out the window like he was going to do to me.” She snapped as she tried to push away from him.  “Would you let me go?!”  He stared at her even though she was still fighting with him.  Only a moment ago she was tumbling out of the window to no doubt her death below.  Now she was standing here in front of him and at the moment he didn’t care about what was or what wasn’t going on around them. This sudden need came over him and he had no time to think about the ‘what ifs’. “Alexander I said let me go!” She shouted as she looked up at him. 

 

“No” He said and she gave him a puzzled look clearly not expecting that answer.  AJ pulled his wife against him and grasped her lips in his.  She resisted at first and tried to pull her arms out of his grip.  The longer he kissed her the more he wanted her.  His hands tried to cure the lust that flowed through him but it wasn’t enough.  He pushed her towards the wall never once breaking the grasp he had on her lips. Hesitating before he let go of her arms, he wondered if she would stop him now that he let go of her but she didn’t. 

 

His hands grasped her hips and he pushed her firmly against the wall.  He let go and unclipped his robe. Reaching down AJ gripped the bottom of her nightgown in his hands and pulled it up over her waist.  His lips drifted from hers and skipped down her neck as he reached into his boxer shorts.  AJ lifted Rayne up and slid her onto him.  He returned his lips to hers as his body bucked against her body. 

 

He wrapped his arm around her waist steadying them.  His other arm wrapped around behind her, grasping her shoulder with his hand and as he continued his steady pace his eyes opened and locked onto her face.  Her eyes were closed but there was pleasure on her face.  Gently he pecked at her lips and she moaned lightly.   

 

The couple stood there engulfed in an erotic embrace everything around them, everything outside stopped in time. It was just the two of them, Dyn oblivious to what was going on a few feet away.  No one coming in with more bad news, no war to think about, no Demons to fear, just him and his wife as they made passionate love against their bedroom wall. Her moans became louder as her lower body tightened around him. When her body began to tremble and she called out his name his desire for her grew stronger.  He pushed her down onto him as he thrusted into her.  A flurry of emotions erupted through his body as a grunt of pleasure broke from his lips. 

 

As he hit his peak he thrusted into her one last time, banging her back into the wall but they were both too immersed with each other to notice.  Rayne pulled her lips away and gasped as their bodies began to slow.  His lips skimmed up her neck and he could feel her pulse, throbbing against them.  Her heart was racing fast and it was like he could feel each beating thump.  When she lowered her head he pulled his lips away.  Their eyes locked on each other as they both caught their breath.  Her finger skimmed down the side of his neck stopping on the dip under his collar bone. This time Rayne leaned in and kissed him, after a moment her lips trickled from his mouth down his neck.  She then pulled away and her eyes drifted over beside them and AJ smirked knowing who she was looking at. She looked back to her husband, her lips smirked, the smirk cracked into a smile, the smile spread into a giggle and the giggle let out a laugh.  She wrapped her arms around him as they both started laughing. 

 

Chapter 36 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 36

           

AJ gently put her down and did up his robe as she flattened out her hair.  He looked over at his brother frozen in place. As he did up the last couple of clips he walked over to Dyn.  “How did you do this?” Rayne asked and he turned around.

 

“I don’t know.” He replied and looked over to where he saw everything happen.  “I was trying to stand up but I was woozy from when we crashed into the wall.”  He told her.  “I saw him push you out the window and I lost it.”

 

Rayne stood there and the look on her face told him she was lost in thought.  “What were you thinking when it happened?”

 

“Holy fucking shit Rayne’s being pushed out the window” AJ replied.  “I don’t know.”

 

“Alex you need to think.” She told him.  “The Magic we use is about thought and emotion.”

 

He took a deep breath and closed his eyes, so he could think. “I saw him throw you and I freaked, I screamed no.” He told her.

 

“What were you feeling?” She asked.

 

At first he frowned at the question, how was he supposed to answer that? “I was feeling like…” He paused as his mind remembered.  “I was thinking…” His eyes opened as the answer came to him.

 

“What?” Rayne asked.

 

He looked at her. “I didn’t want what was going to happen to happen…I wanted everything to stop.”

 

“That is it then, let it go, release everything and time should start again.” She said.

 

He looked at Dyn, maybe he should push him out the window before he tried to return everything back to normal.  He then looked at Rayne.  Taking her by the hand he walked her away from his brother.  Still holding her hand he closed his eyes and with the thought of her being safe and beside him, he let the spell go.

 

A weird zipping sound was heard and a thud as Dyn slammed hard into the bench.  Quickly AJ opened his eyes as his brother turned and looked at him.  Dyn then looked at Rayne his eyes showed shock and disbelief.

 

“Even you could not have teleported that fast.” Dyn said and AJ could tell his brother’s anger was growing.

 

AJ said nothing as he sent a wind spell towards Dyn.  The spell got stronger and things started blowing around the room.  Dyn stumbled back trying to get his footing but the spell just kept getting stronger and stronger.

 

“I will be there every single day…” AJ said as he let go of Rayne’s hand pushing the spell at his brother.  “To remind you dear Brother…” He pulled his hand away and grabbed Dyn by his Robe as the spell stopped. “It is me that has the heart you long so desperately for.”

 

“This is not over!” Dyn shouted just as someone knocked on their door.  AJ did not hesitate and kept his stare on his brother but then with a light whooshing sound Dyn disappeared from AJ’s grasp.

 

He turned to Rayne and saw her looking around.  “He won’t be back for a while.”

 

“How do you know?” She asked.  “I use to know what he was thinking but now…” 

 

AJ walked up to her and took her into his arms.  “Well first he needs a minute to figure out how the fuck you didn’t fall from the window.”

 

He noticed Rayne was about to say something but there was another knock on the door and AJ remembered about the knock from a moment before.  Giving her a quick kiss he walked over to their bedroom door as she quickly put on a night robe.

 

“Oh, hello” AJ said surprised to see Kimiri standing on the other side of the door.

 

“I sensed a disruption…” Kimiri said as he looked right at Rayne and walked over to her.

 

“Well come on in.” AJ whispered sarcastically.

 

“A disruption?” Rayne asked confused.

 

“Something has happened, time was halted.” Kimiri said as Rayne quickly looked at AJ. He noticed the old Elvaan looked at him right away.

 

“Alexander” Rayne started to say.  “Dyn pushed me out of the window and some how Alex stopped time.”

 

“Wonderful!” Kimiri said excitedly with a clap of his hands.

 

“Huh?” AJ replied confused and both him and Rayne looked at the Elvaan confused.

 

“There is so much more to a Mage then some attack spells and teleporting.” The man said to AJ.  “Yes they use the Elements as their main attack spells but you can also use those spells to manipulate.”

 

“Still not following.” AJ replied.

 

Kimiri walked over to a chair and sat down.  “Teleportation it is just you manipulating the wind to carry you faster than you can move.” Kimiri told him. “You can use your water spell, manipulate it so you can breathe under water, ah and you already conjured an Elemental. Some spells like your Wind spell you can manipulate for many things, some you can not.”

 

“So than how did Alex stop time?” Rayne asked as she walked up beside her husband.

 

“Water is like the Worlds blood flow, the Air is its breath, the Ground is its skin, Lightening is the connectivity that keeps it together and Fire, Fire is the heartbeat that keeps all things moving.” Kimiri said and AJ was starting to understand.

 

“So when I wanted everything to stop…”

 

“You stopped it.” Kimiri replied with a smile. 

 

“Why did you not tell us this before?” Rayne asked.

 

“There are so many jobs, so many professions.  Now that Pixca is gone, more and more you will find new advantages to them and I will be there to explain them but I wish it were as easy as telling you everything you are missing.” Kimiri frowned.

 

“Well if that happens every time I am never doing that again” AJ sighed.

 

“The spell can be concentrated into a smaller force, so you can stop one object, one person.” Kimiri told him. 

 

Just then the door flew open and Avit along with Jaina came running in swords drawn.  Rayne, Kimiri and AJ looked at the two of them confused.  The two Generals also began to look around confused.

 

“May I help you?” AJ asked.

 

“There were reports that Dyn was here, someone told me they heard a commotion and yelling.” Avit said as he slowly put his sword away.

 

“He was here but he is gone now.” Rayne said.

 

“What happened are you two alright?” Jaina asked.

 

“Yeah we are both fine.” AJ replied.  “Although I bet Dyn is most likely confused as all hell right now.” AJ said and Rayne snorted a laugh.

 

“I do not follow.” Avit replied as AJ looked at Rayne with a light smile. 

 

“You two sit down and we will fill you in.” AJ told them as his wife walked over to the couch.

 

 

Rayne stood in front of her mirror staring at the woman looking back at her.  She looked at this woman, her face was strong, her body showed pride but she knew on the inside this woman was scared and even though she had the love of the biggest heart she had ever known, she felt alone.  Two major connections have been broken the connection of a Father and the connection of a Mother.  But those two connections no longer apart of her left her feeling empty.  With a sigh she looked down at the necklace she held in her hand, it was the necklace her Father gave her when she was eighteen, the one Kevin found when Ignis had taken him to Drisel.  Closing her eyes she fought back the tears not wanting to deal with the pain right now.  There were much more important things to worry about now. 

 

“Everything alright Beautiful?” She heard AJ’s voice from beside her and she turned her head as she looked at her Husband.

 

She smiled.  “I am fine, was just thinking…”

 

“About your Mom?” He asked as he walked over to her.  All she could do was nod; if she spoke she would lose it again.  His arms wrapped around her and she slipped hers under them.  She placed her hands flat against his back and fell against his chest.  Like a tap pouring water into a jug, the emptiness started to fill up.  She wrapped her arms tighter not wanting to let go, not wanting to feel empty again, alone again.  “I miss her too.”

 

“I am okay.” She said as she gently pulled away.  “Besides right now there are more important things to deal with.”

 

“Rayne your Mom…” AJ started to say but she put up her hand in quiet protest.

 

“Loki, we focus on Loki and then I will deal with that.” She replied and hoped he would let it go and respect her wishes.

 

He gave her a light smile and cupped his hand on her cheek.  “Alright”

 

Her husband kissed her gently and then walked over towards the door to the bath.  When the door closed her eyes drifted to the spot where they had made love and thought about that moment. How he took her by surprise, how he had pinned her against the wall and how it had been the first time any man had taken her with such passion.  His aura was bright and strong and at one point she thought it would consume her.  Without knowing it she smiled a little and bit her lip.  A knock at the door broke her from her thoughts and she looked up a little startled at the door.

 

“You got that Beautiful?” AJ yelled from the other room.

 

She walked over and opened the door.  “Hello”

 

“Hey, is AJ here?” Nick asked and she could tell he uncomfortable being around her.

 

“Alex it is Nickolas.” Rayne shouted towards the bath.  “Come in” She told him as she motioned for Nick to walk in.

 

“Was talking to Lawrence he said Jaina told him Dyn was here.” Nick said as AJ walked out of the room.

 

“Why were you talking to him?” AJ asked and she couldn’t help but smile at the defensiveness in his voice.

 

“Cause Bussa wasn’t around?” Nick replied confused by the comment.

 

Rayne heard AJ mumble something but she couldn’t make it out.  She watched as he sat down on the couch and turned to Nick. “So what do you want than?”

 

“Nalia and I are going with the Kalica fleet, we’ll bring Howie, Leigh, Rok, and LeighAnne with us, plus we’ll have Bussa.”  Nick told them.  “You guys are going with Kevin, Kris, Avit, Jaina and Lawrence.”

 

Rayne heard AJ mumble something again and this time Nick heard him.

 

“What?” Nick asked.

 

“Nothing” Her husband replied with a sigh.  “We should get going then.” He said standing up and looking at her.  “We need at least a couple of hours on the Kalica fleet.”

 

Rayne nodded in agreement.  “We will send someone to inform you when we set sail.”

 

“Awesome” Nick nodded and then walked over to the door.  “We’re going to beat him, he thinks we can’t stop him, and that will be his downfall.” With that Nick opened the door and left.

 

Rayne looked over at AJ who was looking at her.  “He seems confident.”

 

“Good” Rayne replied.  “Because we need all the confidence we can get.”

 

“You seem uncertain about this.” He said as he walked over to her.

 

“It is not Loki I am worried about.” She replied.

 

“Dyn?”

 

“No” She shook her head.  “The Drak’nor, when they learn Loki, Ti’hort and Pixca are dead, they will come for this place again and if the people from Aurona who had more powers than us could not stand up against them, what chance to we have.”

 

He placed his hand on the side of her neck and they drifted down to her shoulders as he brought his face close to her.  “But we know something they do not.” He said in almost a whisper and she looked at him confused.

 

“What is that?”

 

“We use Loki’s blood to close the portal, the door permanently, than the Drak’nor can not get in.” AJ replied and she looked at him even more confused.

 

“How do you know this?” She asked.

 

“Nick, he learned some things about Loki.  Like how he was summoned here.”

 

“Summoned?” She replied her voice showing curiosity.  “By who?”

 

“Not sure, Nick said one of the people before they came did it.” He told her.

 

“Kimiri…” Rayne said and then she quickly walked towards the door. 

 

AJ stood there for a moment confused and then followed her as she walked out of the room.  She made her way to the farthest hallway and up to a giant set of doors and knocked.  Just as he came up to her the door opened.

 

“Queen Rayne is everything alright?” The tall elder Elvaan asked.

 

“Why did you not tell me someone summoned them here?” She asked and the look AJ saw on Kimiri’s face made him sigh.  Why must people lie?

 

“We thought you would cast judgment like we had brought this on ourselves.”

 

“The only judgment I will cast is on the fact you lied.” Rayne told him.

 

“I did not lie, I just left that out.” The Elvaan said and AJ looked at Rayne as she looked back at him oddly.  He was about to ask her ‘what?’ but then she looked back to Kimiri.

 

“You will meet with Alexander, Nalia, Nickolas and myself downstairs in my meeting room in five minutes and then you will tell us everything.” She told him.  “Is that clear?”

 

“Yes your Highness.” The Elvaan nodded and AJ was surprised to see he behaved like any other subject of her Kingdom.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 37 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 37

           

            AJ sat there staring at his wife.  You couldn’t tell by how she stood that she was a short girl, you couldn’t tell by the way she talked that behind close doors she was timid almost shy and you certainly couldn’t tell that she was in a substantial amount of pain. Not physical pain but the other kind.  The only one who could see the hurt in her eyes, hear the torment in her voice and feel the agony in her heart was him.  After she ripped Kimiri a new one he came forward with everything he knew, at least AJ hoped he had.

 

            Before the Drak’nor came the Priests had started dabbling in the black magic’s.  They started raising corpses and summoning demons and then one day one of them summoned Loki. They had no time to prepare and the ones who made it to the tunnels only did so by the chance of luck.  When AJ heard that it made him feel a little better.  Perhaps if they had known, they would have been able to defeat the Drak’nor which meant they could as well.

 

            Now Rayne stood in front of everyone going over last minute details before they shipped out to Tokia.  When he focused back into the conversation Rayne was dismissing everyone.  He stood up as Avit walked over too him.

 

“I will meet you on the ship.” Avit told him and AJ nodded.

 

Then Rayne walked up to him.  “I need to speak with Jaina.” She then looked over to his friends as they gathered on the other side of the table.  “I will meet you in the hall.” AJ gave her a light smile and watched her walk out of the room; he then made his way over to the gang talking in a circle.

 

“This time I want a statue in Drisel.” Kevin said as he stood up proudly.

 

“I dunno the Dwarves ran out of rock doing those eyebrows last time.” Nick replied in a joking tone.

 

“Bite me Carter.” Kevin sighed and then… “OWE!” Kevin shouted as everyone looked at Nick biting his arm.

 

“You’d think he’d learn from last time.” Leigh-Anne laughed.

 

“Excuse me for thinking someone had grown up.” Kevin snipped as he rubbed his arm and looked at Nick.

 

“So you guys have everything you need?” AJ asked and everyone replied with nods and yes’s. “Cool, well my group should get going.”

 

“Do you think Dyn’s gonna show up again?” Nick asked as everyone started to walk out of the room.

 

“He might, be prepared for it but something tells me he’s gonna sit this one out.” AJ told him.

 

“Why?” Kristin asked.

 

“He wants some one on one time.” AJ replied as they all poured out into the hallway. “Wants to make sure he has my full attention.”

 

“We are ready Alexander.” Rayne said and everyone looked down the hallway.

 

“I will send out Gryphon’s when we reach the small island.”  AJ told Nick and his friend nodded. 

 

“We’ll anchor there and wait if we have too.” Nick said as AJ took his bag from Rayne.

 

“So should we say goodbye now?” Howie asked and everyone looked at him.

 

“We’ll have time after Loki” Nick replied with a smile.

 

 

AJ sat on top of some boxes on the front of the ship.  They had been sailing for a couple of hours now and had a couple more before they met up with the Kalica fleet.  When he heard footsteps behind him and not a crew members footsteps he turned around.

 

“Hey” He said with a nod to Kevin.

 

“What’s up?” Kevin asked as he climbed up beside him.  “Where’s Rayne?”

 

“Nothing just thinking and she’s sleeping.” AJ told him.

 

“You’re not worried about Dyn popping up in the room?” He asked.

 

“He can’t he doesn’t know where the ship is and I have Gryphon’s on watch incase he decided to follow.” AJ replied as he looked back out to the Ocean.

 

“Kind of looks like back home huh?” Kevin asked.

 

“This is my home” AJ replied.

 

“Right” Kevin said shaking his head lightly. “Sorry”

 

There was a long silence and then AJ spoke up.  “Kris still pissed at me?”

 

“Huh?” Kevin said as he looked at AJ.

 

“Before Dyn took Rayne, Kris made a comment…”

 

“Oh right” Kevin spoke with a nod.  “No, she’s not pissed anymore.  She never really was to begin with.”

 

“Then what was with the attitude and comments?” He asked.

 

“She thought you were dead Alex.” Kevin replied.  “She thought I was crazy and this place was just some imaginary place I made up to deal with it.”  His friend looked back out to the Ocean.  “Then she finds out you’re alive, this place is real but you’re a completely different person and I don’t mean because of that.” Kevin said as he waved his hand around AJ.

 

“I am still me.”

 

“See that right there I am still me.  Before you would have said Fuck dude I’m still me.” Kevin replied.  “When shit got bad I didn’t have to chase you down, well I did once but that’s only because you thought it was the year two thousand and you were back on Earth.”

 

“All the good things about you that were hidden because you were so confused and lost have come out, they’re out all the time now and it’s something we’re not use to seeing.” Kevin told him. “But you know sometimes we get the feeling like you don’t want us here.”

 

“It’s not that I don’t want you here I do, it’s just…” AJ stopped and thought about the right words to say.

 

“Bow Incoming!!” Someone shouted and both men jumped.  Something slammed into the water below and splashed a wave of water onto the front of the deck.  It sent AJ flying off the boxes he was sitting on, he felt his body slam into things but what they were he had no idea.  When he felt himself come to a stop he gasped for air and looked around.

 

“Alex!” Someone shouted at him and he looked up. Avit was running towards him.  His General helped him up and he looked down at his soaked robe. 

 

“What the hell was that?” AJ asked.

 

“Not sure” Avit replied. AJ looked over to the front of the boat.

 

“Kevin” AJ gasped as he remembered his friend sitting with him.  “Where’s Kevin?” He asked Avit.

 

“Is Sir Kevin alright?” Avit shouted to some guards.

 

“He’s not here Sir” One man shouted.

 

“What? He was right beside me.” AJ replied as him and his General walked over.

 

“What is going on?” He heard Rayne shout from behind him and he turned around.

 

“Something hit just in front of the ship, sent a wave over the front I got hit with it…”

 

“Are you alright?” She asked as touched his wet robe.

 

“I’m fine but Kevin was with me.” AJ said.

 

“General Avit over here!” A guard shouted and both AJ and Rayne turned to the man.  AJ made his way over as did Avit and they both looked over the edge.  When he saw what his guard was pointing at AJ began to undo his robe.

 

“King Alexander.” Avit said in slight protest as AJ climbed onto the edge of the ship.

 

“Alex” Rayne spoke and he heard the worry in her voice but he didn’t have time to answer.  When he was free of his heavy wet robe he dove into the water right by Kevin’s floating body.  AJ popped up and quickly flipped his friend over.  The crashing of the waves against the boat prevented him from hearing his friend’s wife screaming for her husband.  Someone dropped a rope and AJ hooked it around Kevin.  The men on the ship began pulling him up back onto the boat.  AJ looked up as he waded in the water but he saw everyone look up and then disappear behind the rails of the ship.  As he turned to look he saw a giant fire ball crash right beside him.  The suction pull of the object going under sent him under the water with it, then a wave scooped him up and slammed him against what he could only think of was the bottom of the ship.

 

He pictured the ship and his wife leaning over the railing calling for him.  Then with the sound of rushing water and the wind he felt his body laying against something hard.  He gasped for air as he heard footsteps running towards him.  He coughed and almost threw up as his lungs pushed the water from them. 

 

“Alexander” Rayne said as she knelt beside him.  He tried to get up on his knees but then he heard someone shout incoming again as Rayne’s body slammed him to the deck.

 

“What is going on?” He was able to gasp out.

 

“Something is attacking us but we can not see it.” Rayne told him as she helped him sit up.

 

“Where’s Kevin” AJ asked.

 

“I’m here man I’m good” Kevin said and AJ looked over to his friend.  He was being tended to by a Priest.  “Just hit the head”

 

“Are you sure you are alright” Rayne asked as he stood up.

 

“Yes Beautiful I’m fine” AJ said as he placed his hand on the side of her face.

 

“Alexander!” He heard Avit shout. 

 

AJ looked over to his General and saw him pointing out towards the back of the ship.  He ran up the stairs to the Captains deck and ran to the back rails.  His jaw dropped when he saw three giant, what he could only describe as demons heading towards them.

 

“Are they actually touching the ocean floor?” Kristin asked.

 

“They are gaining on us and quick.” Rayne said breathless.

 

“Hang on” AJ said as he stared at the giant beasts.

 

“What?” Rayne replied confused.

 

“Hang on!!” AJ shouted to everyone and they looked at him confused and then grabbed onto what ever they could. 

 

He placed his hands firmly on the rail and closed his eyes.  He felt the breeze on his face get stronger and stronger and then when he could barely hang on he opened his eyes.  The wind blew against the sails hard and the giant ships cut through the water like a hot knife through butter. AJ made sure the entire fleet sailed steady and fast. When he couldn’t see the beasts anymore and he counted to a hundred he stopped the spell.  The wind began to die down, the waters calmed and the boat began to slow.

 

“What were those things?” Kristin asked.

 

“Loki?” AJ asked looking at Rayne.

 

“I could only imagine.” His wife replied with a shrug. 

 

“Avit?” AJ said as he turned around.

 

“Yes Sir?” Avit replied.

 

“I want damage reports from this and the rest of the fleet.”

 

“Yes Sir” Avit replied and then left shouting orders to people.

 

AJ walked over to Kevin who was on the main deck still being tended too.  “Are you ok?”

 

“I’m fine man” Kevin said standing up.  “That was some quick thinking”

 

“Yeah well I just hope we lost them, or we get to Nick before they catch up.” AJ said as both men looked behind them wondering just how far they had gotten from the Demons.

 

 

 

“So how long till we get there?” Brian asked as Nick leaned back on his chair.  Carefully he balanced on the back two legs as his legs stretched outward across the desk.

 

“We should be there soon dude relax.” Nick replied.

 

“Wonder how Kev and Kris are doing?” Leigh asked.

 

“What do you mean by that?” Nick asked as he looked at her.  His friends looked at each other and then back to him.  “What?” He asked again.

 

“Well it’s just that AJ doesn’t really want anything to do with us, he’s to busy…”

 

“Having a life?” Nick replied.

 

“Plus he’s not really AJ anymore.” Leigh-Anne said and Nick looked over at Nalia.  She was laying on the back windowsill.  He knew she was listening.  “With the hair, the height, the ears…”

 

“You mean the fact he’s Elvaan” Nick replied rolling his eyes.

 

“Yeah that but there’s something else too.” Brian spoke up. “I just can’t figure out what it is.”

 

“He is happy...” Nalia’s voice broke out across the small room.  “…really truly happy, and if any of you were his true friends than you would be happy for him as well instead of moping about.” She told them as she got up from the sil and made her way to the door.  “He has finally found who he is, you should be grateful.”

 

The door closed behind her and Nick smiled to himself.  He then looked at his friends and all eyes were on him.  “What?” He replied looking around.

 

“So what are you not happy?” Brian asked.  “You haven’t changed much…well besides the hair and sometimes when your eyes go all blaaaahh.” Brian said as he raised his hands and waved them around.

 

“Because I’m fine with who I am on the inside and I’m fine not being a Dwarf.” Nick told them.  “You guys were gone for a year remember, three your time.  Rayne and him got really close as you can tell.  He got close to Avit  and those two taught him a lot about the Elvaans and what he means to them as their King.  He’s coming into his own as Kevin would say so shut up and be happy.”

 

“Nickolas!” Nalia yelled as she swung open the door.  He jumped and when he did lost his balance on his chair and fell back.

 

“Owe” He sighed as he laid looking up at the ships roof.

 

“What’s wrong?” Brian asked as Nick started to get to his feet.

 

“We just got word from the Gryphon Rider” Nalia told them.  “Sarila’s fleet was attacked.”

 

“What?” Everyone gasped

 

“By what?” Nick asked as he walked over to her.

 

“Some sort of demons” She told him.  “They are on the island fighting this very minute.”

 

“How long till we get there?” Nick asked as he ran past her and out of the room. When he got outside he saw the open water and looked into the distance. He looked over to Bussa.

 

“Where’s the Island can we see it yet?” Nick asked and then a gust of wind blew past and he realized how cold it was outside.  It meant they were close to Tokia.

 

“That is it out there Sir” Bussa told him pointing to a small dark blotch on the horizon.

 

“Can we get our Mages to push us?” Nick asked.

 

“I will see what they can do” Bussa replied.  The General started barking orders as Nick’s friends came out of the room and Nalia walked up beside him.

 

“We’re close, hoping the Mages can give us a boost.” Nick told her.

 

“Tokia!!” The guard in the Crows Nest shouted and everyone looked up at him.  He was pointing to the north east and everyone’s eyes diverted in that direction. 

 

“Wonderful” Brian sighed as they all saw Tokia’s fleet heading towards them.

 

“Rossi” Nick growled as his fist tightened. 

 

“What shall we do?” Nalia asked.

 

“Get to the Island but we gotta make sure Rossi doesn’t flank us.” He told her.

 

Bussa came up beside them from the Captains Deck.  “The Mages will push us to the island the rest will use the wind to make sure Rossi doesn’t get the upper hand.”

 

“Typhoon!!!” The guard in the Crows Nest yelled and everyone looked at him to see where and then they followed to where he was pointing. 

 

A giant wave rolled it’s away in front of them; the ships began to rock against the waves that came off of the Typhoon but there was distance between them and the massive wave.  It almost growled as it rolled past them right towards the Island.

 

“Is it going to hit the Island?” Leigh shouted.

 

“I don’t know” Howie yelled back.  “No no wait it’s going to miss it.”

 

“Who’s casting that?” Nalia asked.

 

“My guess would be AJ” Nick replied.

 

“I’ve never seen that spell before…” Nalia said as he looked down at her.

 

“Babe its Alex”

 

Nalia paused a minute and then lightly nodded.  “This is true” He smiled at her.

 

Chapter 38 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 38

           

            Nick jumped down from the ship’s plank board onto the sand below.  He looked back and saw Nalia doing the same thing.  A smile broke from his lips when she walked up to him.  It was good being back with her, back in the safety of her arms, and back where things were peaceful, where there was no anger and pain. 

 

“What?” She asked with a light laugh. 

 

“Just enjoying the view.” He replied.

 

And to his shock Nalia softly chuckled.  “What ever you say Alexander.” She said as she walked past him.

 

“Hey” He pouted at her joking insult. 

 

“Which way do we go?” Brian asked as his wife, Howie and Leigh walked up to him.  Just then a giant gust of wind blew past them, blew through the trees and then it was gone.

 

“Something tells me that way.” Nalia said looking at Nick.

 

“Howie what do you hear?” He asked looking from Nalia to his Friend.

 

“Definitely that way.” Howie replied with a nod.

 

Nick gave the signal to Bussa and they made their way through the trees, following the path the wind took on moments ago.  A loud crashing sound was heard and then a giant flash of lighting came crashing down from the sky a ways in front of them.

 

“Looks like AJ’s working over time.” Brian whispered.

 

“I’m going to go sneak up and see what I can see.” Leigh-Anne said.

 

“Alone?” Brian whispered to her.

 

“Right now I’m the only one who can stealth and run.” She replied to him.

 

“We’ll keep walking; get back to us as soon as you get a report.” Nick told her

 

Leigh-Anne nodded and headed into the trees and he wasn’t sure whether it was her spell or the trees but she disappeared.  Nick gave the order to move forward and that’s what everyone did.

 

“I can hear shouting.” Howie said a little while later.  “Not close enough to make out voices though.”

 

“How far do you think we are?” Nick asked but they kept walking.

 

“A mile maybe two.” Howie replied.

 

“How long till Rossi reaches the other ships?” Brian asked.

 

“Bussa said an hour…”

 

“How long have we been walking?” Brian asked.

 

“At least a half of it.”

 

“How are we suppose to get there, help them, and then get back in time for Rossi?” Brian asked.

 

“AJ can teleport, he has his Gryphon Riders, and Rayne can turn into a wolf I’m sure we can figure something out.” Nick replied getting a little annoyed with the questions.  He made a mental note to tell AJ that next time he gets Brian.

 

“Hey” Someone said from in front of them and the three turned around.

 

“What did you see?” Nick asked when he saw it was Leigh-Anne.

 

“One Big ugly Demon down, they’re still fighting the other ones.”

 

“Big Ugly Demon? Other Ones? How many are there?” Brian asked.

 

“I think there was three.” Leigh-Anne replied.

 

“Alex and everyone seem to be fighting on the land but there are still people on the ships firing at the demons too.” She told them.  “I think I saw Rayne too, not sure.”

 

“Not sure?” Nalia replied.

 

“It was either her or I got really lucky that I wasn’t turned into wolf food.” She told her.

 

“Did you see how many were left in the fleet?” Nick asked.

 

“Thirteen ships left.” She replied and he was a little shocked she even knew to count the ships.

 

“I”ve seen the same damn movies you have Nick.” Leigh-Anne shot back without him saying a word and Brian giggled beside him.

 

“Thirteen? Nickolas they left with twenty?” Nalia replied and she seemed scared.

 

“We need to pick up the pace.” Nick shouted to Bussa and the man nodded.

 

 

 

AJ slammed down to the sand as a thunderous crash and bang echoed around him. Quickly he looked back and saw a giant boulder that by the looks of it had been picked up from the ocean floor and thrown at them.  As he stood up he looked around.

 

“Everyone still here?!” He shouted looking.

 

“We’re good!” He heard Kevin’s voice as he looked and saw Kevin and his Wife.  They were a little bitten up but they still looked ready to fight.

 

“Alright here Sir.” Avit replied and he looked over and saw him getting up, just a ways past him he saw Jaina and Lawrence getting up.

 

“Rayne” He said as he realized she hadn’t reported in.

 

“Over there.” Avit said as he pointed down the shore line. She was running to them, in wolf form. “At least I think that’s her.”

 

AJ couldn’t help but smile.  “Yeah that’s her.” He replied.

 

Just before she got to him she shifted into her human form and for a moment it made him breathless.  It was going to take a while to get use to seeing that.  “What’s up?” He asked.

 

“I saw Leigh-Anne, I think they sent her out to scout, so they must be some what close.” She told him.

 

“Incoming!!” Someone shouted and out of instinct they both ducked and covered.

 

“These things are really pissing me off.” AJ sighed as him and Rayne helped each other back up.  “Go to them, let them know what’s going on.”

 

“Alex…” She said unsure.

 

“You’re the only one who can run quick enough.” He told her. “Don’t worry about me I’ll be fine.”  He noticed she stared at him for a moment and then started running. He waited until she was in wolf form and then turned back to the giant demons.  Closing his eyes he mumbled something.  He felt the waves of the ocean rushing in and falling away.  He turned them, twisted them and when he opened his eyes back up he smiled lightly.

 

An old friend began to form, his arms shot out from the tornado of water that was his body.  A loud ear piercing roar was heard as the creature’s mouth took form.  AJ sent it rolling to demon that was closest.  It slammed its arm across the one demon sending it falling backwards into the water.  He heard Avit shout, he heard his men, and Rayne’s men shout.  He could feel the spell dispersing the farther the elemental took the demon down under the water but he fought it, fought to keep the spell going as long as possible.

 

Just like when you would pull on something until it snapped, the momentum of the spell breaking sent AJ forward and he went crashing into the sand and water in front of him.  His head spun and as he tried to stand he fell back to his knees. 

 

“Alex man you alright?” He heard Kevin say as he felt his friend take his arm.

 

“Yeah, yeah I’m good.” He replied shaking his head a little. AJ looked around out across the ocean, he only saw one Demon left.

 

“I hope he stays down there.” Kevin said as Avit walked up to him.

 

“Where’s Rayne?” Avit asked.

 

“She went to get Nick and everyone; she said she saw Leigh-Anne sneaking around.” AJ said as he looked back to the trees. 

 

“Does that mean they’re close?” Kristin asked.

 

“Yeah” AJ nodded. “They most likely sent her out to scout ahead.”

 

“Incoming!!” Someone shouted again and with a frustrated growl AJ and everyone around him dropped to the ground.  Another Sea boulder came flying over their heads and crashed on top of some men a few feet away.

 

“Rrreally starting to piss me off.” AJ huffed as he stood up.

 

A loud roar was heard and everyone looked to where it was coming from.  AJ looked and saw the Demon he had beatin’ down with his elemental was back and he was staring right at AJ. The rock that was its body smoldered and surprising most of it still burned like hot coals.  As it snorted steam rushed from his nostrils. 

 

“He looks pissed.” Kevin said as AJ looked at him.  “I’m guessing anyways.”

 

“I think I have a plan.” AJ said as the demon started walking towards him.

 

“And what is this plan?” Kevin asked.

 

“Jaina!” AJ shouted and she quickly looked over he waved for her to come to him and so she did.  “Everyone grab onto me.”

 

“What?” Kevin replied confused.

 

“Are you teleporting?” Avit asked.  “We shouldn’t…

 

“Just trust me Avit.” AJ said and his General nodded and grabbed onto his robe.

 

He closed his eyes and remembered when he was facing off with Dyn. Remembering how he watched in horror as Dyn sent Rayne flying over the edge off the window.  Remembering how he wanted everything to just stop and as he thought those words he heard a slow rumble.  When he heard his friends gasp in shock he opened his eyes.

 

“Alexander…” Avit said breathless as he looked around.  Everything was stopped. The waves, the men on the beach, the men on the ship, and even the demons…they all stopped.

 

 

 

“Stop” Howie whispered quietly and everyone did as they looked at him. “I hear something.” He told them.  “Coming this way.”

 

“What is it can you tell?” Nick asked.

 

“Animal, I hear at least four footsteps.” He said.

 

“There” Nalia said pointing but then it cut behind a tree. Her eyes feel in confusion when she saw Rayne walk out from behind the same tree and then she remembered.  “Rayne!” She shouted quickly.

 

“That’s just trippy.” Nick mumbled as she walked towards them.

 

“Alex sent me to lead you back, we must hurry.” She told them as she stopped at them.

 

“How did you know we were here?” Nick asked.

 

“I saw Leigh-Anne.” She told them.

 

“How?” Leigh-Anne replied.

 

“Wolf sight.” She said and Nick raised his eyebrows in shock and then hid it.  “Now we must hurry.”

 

“Okay” Nick said nodding and everyone began running as they followed Rayne through the forest.  He was having a hard time keeping up with her they all were even Nadia and she wasn’t in human form.  Then she stopped dead and he noticed someone else did too as he past them.  When he stopped he looked back to Howie.

 

“What’s up D?” Nick asked as he walked up to him.

 

“Everything just stopped.” Howie told him.

 

“Stopped?” Nick replied confused.

 

“I can’t hear anything, the men fighting, the running, shouting, even the waves of the Ocean I can’t hear it.” Howie said with worry.

 

“Rayne” Nick shouted as he quickly turned around and she was already walking towards them.

 

“Howie can’t hear anything, he says nothing at all.” Nick told her.

 

“Not even the waves.” Howie said to her and Nick watched her.

 

“Alex” She whispered and then turned around. “We must hurry quickly.” She said as she started running again.

 

“Wait, what?” Nick replied even though he ran with her.  “What’s going on, why can’t he hear anything?”

 

“Just hurry” She said as she picked up her pace.

 

“What the hell” He gasped out trying to keep up but when they all broke from the trees.  Everyone but Rayne stopped dead. 

 

“What the fuck…” Brian gasped and even Nick was too stunned to react to that statement.  Everything stood motionless. 

 

“Nadia?” Nick said turning to look at her.

 

“This…I do not know” She gasped in awe.

 

 

 

 

With a grunt AJ dropped down to one knee, he was getting tired, and his body felt heavy like the world was pushing in on him.  He closed his eyes and concentrated because he needed to hold this spell, he needed to buy them time.

 

“Alex” His friend said from beside him but he pushed the concern away.

 

“Alex!” He heard her shout and he slowly turned his head and saw her running down the beach towards him.  When she reached him she dropped to her knees beside him.  “What are you doing?” She asked breathless.

 

“Called a time out.” He replied with a light tired smile.

 

“What the hell is this Rayne?” Kevin asked.  “What did he do?”

 

“Let it go.” She told him.

 

“Not till we are ready, where is Nick and everyone?” He asked.  She looked past him.

 

“They are coming, slowly.” She replied and he knew what she meant by slowly.

 

“What is going on, what is this?” Nadia asked as she walked up to them.

 

“Just get ready, the big guy in front is heading right for us, the ships are holding up ok with the other.” AJ said to him as he fought to keep his strength up.  “Nick when I let go of this spell, we’re going to teleport out to him and you do that thing you do.”

 

“Alex…” Rayne said in protest.  “This spell…”

 

“Rayne, I will be fine. Help take down the other one.” He told her.  His eyes saw the protest in hers but she nodded and stood up. 

 

AJ closed his eyes and released the spell, there was a loud zipping sound and then gasps from his friends, waves crashing, men shouting, and demons screaming.  He dropped to his hands as his head spun.

 

“Holy shit he can stop time.” He heard someone say.

 

“Alex?” Another voice said and he tried to stand up but he crashed down to the sand.

 

He settled his mind and slowed the spinning.  With a deep breath he pulled himself together and pulled himself up.  His eyes opened in an awaking motion and he centered himself.  Eyeing the big guy that was still coming their way he turned to Nick.

 

“Ready?” He asked.

 

“Are you sure dude? You looked out of it there for a second.” Nick said.

 

“I’m good just had to get my bearings.” He told him.  “Ready?” AJ asked again putting his hand on Nick’s shoulder.

 

“I should say something smart ass here but I can’t cause dude you just stopped time.” Nick replied like a giddy five year old boy. 

 

With a laugh AJ sent them out into the demon and they both landed on his broad shoulder.  Both of them lost their balance at first but regained it quickly.  AJ looked at the giant head and sighed.  He hadn’t notice they were there yet.  Hoping Nick would stay quiet he slowly made his way over.

 

“Umm…what do we do when this things drops into the ocean?” Nick whispered.

 

“Grab onto me and I’ll pop back up on the beach.” AJ told him.  “Hopefully.” He mumbled quickly and Nick heard him as he shot him a look. He took a couple of steps back and nodded to his friend to start.

 

Carefully bending down Nick put his hand on the rocky creature and started the purple pink stream flowing into the demon.  AJ almost lost his balance again when the creature stopped dead and moaned. 

 

“Hold on!” Nick shouted as the beast roared.  “This is where they get pissed.” He said with a smile and AJ knelt down gripping the ridged shoulder. 

 

The beast jerked a few times and they were both able to hang on but then a shadow crept across them and both looked up.  “Oh shit” AJ gasped as he saw the giant hand coming towards them.

 

“Jump!” Nick shouted as AJ quickly looked at him and then they both went diving into the water.  When he came up he quickly looked around for his friend and saw him swimming towards the creature’s leg.  Then he climbed up a little ways and started the spell again but no sooner had he had it flowing, the beast swatted at him again.

 

“Damn it” AJ huffed as he started swimming over.

 

“I need a distraction long enough to sink that spell in.” Nick told him as the water splashed around him. 

 

“Get back on him, I will give you one.” AJ told him and Nick nodded.

 

He watched as his friend swam over and climbed up onto the leg. Then suddenly the demon started walking again.  He saw Nick’s look of worry but he wasn’t.  Closing his eyes he listened to the water.  Feeling it crashing and flow around him.  He moved it, turned it, spun it around and soon, had the elemental at full height and ready for another fight.  The demon turned and charged at the giant water elemental.  It was hard for him to keep his concentration and fight off the water that splashed around him.  He tried to look for Nick as the demon swung at his watery companion.  Then the rock beast howled and splashed his fist into the water.  His elemental swung at the demon and sent it stumbling.  It crashed into the ocean and that’s when he realized.

 

“Nick” He gasped and then took a deep breath. He went under the water and began swimming towards the sinking demon.  Through the swirling current he could see the bright purple glow from the leg but he was running out of breath.  Remembering the words of Kimiri he manipulate the water around him turning it into air, as he started to get dizzy he took a breath.  He sighed in relief at the spell working around him and then began to swim back towards the glow. 

 

A moment later the glow disappeared and AJ panicked a little.  Then he saw something, something moving away from the demon, quickly he sent himself over there with a quick teleportation.  He popped up just above Nick and began casting his new found spell around his friend.  When Nick started breathing he looked at AJ and gave him a thumbs up as the water bubbled around him.  AJ rolled his eyes and pointed upwards and then both started swimming to the surface.  He let the spell go when they both popped up from the water.

 

“Damn you can hold you’re breath for a long time.” AJ said a little breathless.

 

“Deep sea diving, ya have too.”  Nick replied with a smile.

 

“Is it dead?” AJ asked as his eyes darted to the water.

 

“Yep” Nick nodded with certainty and AJ smiled.  “So these new spells you’ve learned…”

 

“The old Elvaan Kimiri said that before the Drak’nor came they could do a lot more than we could.”

 

“Including stopping time?” Nick asked.  “Which by the way is still fucking awesome, I’m jealous.”

 

“I stumbled on that one by accident, which I will tell you about after we get back to the beach.” 

 

Nick’s face changed almost like he had forgotten for a moment.  AJ grabbed his friend and sent them back to the beach where they stood before.  He looked around to see where everyone was, they were down a ways fending off the last demon which was being pummeled by Kristin’s and the Gryphon Rider’s arrows.

 

“Come on” AJ said and they hurried to their friends and family.

 

Chapter 39 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 39

           

            AJ chugged back the mug of water he was given.  He felt like his stomach was in a thousands knots and trying to climb out of him.  A thump pounded his head and he closed his eyes, this was one of the worse hangovers he had ever had, only it wasn’t an alcoholic hang over it was magic.  His body was telling him he was drawing in too much energy and he sighed knowing he couldn’t stop yet.  A shadow casted over him and he looked up and saw Rayne sitting down on the box next too him.  He tried to perk up.

 

“Do you need more water?” She asked as she took his mug from him.

 

“Not right now” He replied with a light smile.

 

“How are you feeling?” She asked with concern.

 

“I am fine beautiful.” He replied.

 

Rayne sighed.  “Alex, those spells they are a lot to take in.  You had your Elemental out twice, you teleported all over the place, and how long did you do that Time spell for?” She asked.”You may be a Guardian but we have limits.”

 

“But are we not more than just Guardians now?” He asked her and she looked at him.  “We all have evolved; you can’t even tell Nalia is missing her eyes.” AJ said.  “Nick just took down a giant demon with one spell, you can shape shift Rayne.”  She looked at him and he took her hands.  “I am fine, do not worry about me.”

 

“We need to get back to the other fleet.” Nick said as he walked up to the two of them.  “My mages are ready, Avit and Jaina are getting yours, should be enough to get us over there quick enough and you some more rest.” 

 

“Alright then let’s go.” AJ said as he stood up.

 

The three of them walked over to the dingy for the man ship in AJ’s fleet and loaded into it.  AJ sat in protest because neither Rayne nor Nick would let him teleport there.  When they were all aboard the boat, Nick gave the signal for the mages to start their wind spells.

 

“You should go lie down in your Quarters.” Rayne said and he looked at her ready to snap at her over protectiveness but then he saw the look in her eyes.

 

“Only if you join me.” He replied with a sigh.

 

She lightly smiled and took his hand.  He followed her into the room and it wasn’t until he saw the bed he realized how much he wanted to lie down.  His legs pushed him there and with a gentle thump he hit the bed.  He sighed as he looked up at the wood above him.

 

“We lost seven ships fighting those demons.” Rayne said as she sat down.  “I do hope Kalica is holding up better against Rossi.

 

“AJ!!” They heard someone shout from outside on the ships deck. Quickly they hurried to the door and went running outside.  They were surrounded in fog.

 

“It over took us, just like woosh.” Nick said breathless.  “The mages can’t even blow it away.”

 

“Look out!!” A deck hand shouted but it was too late they crashed into another boat and AJ went slamming onto the ships floor.  He heard wood snapping and people yelling, he heard an eerie howl and scream coming from both ships, and then it all stopped.  Slowly he looked up and saw the ship that had collided with them.  It flew the Tokia colours. 

 

“Alex you alright?” Nalia said as he looked beside him.

 

“Yeah” He nodded.  Then he looked around, he saw Kevin getting up with the help of Nick and Kristin, he looked behind him and saw crew members climbing to their feet. “Where’s Rayne?”

 

“She was beside me…” Her voice froze and he looked over.  She was standing near the end of the ship, fighting with something around her neck.  A purple beam much like the magic he saw Nick use only this spell had fingers that wrapped around her throat.  He followed it up to the Tokia ship and saw Rossi standing above the wreckage. 

 

Quickly he jumped to his feet keeping his eyes on her and on Rossi but then just as he was about to reach her, Rossi snapped his arm back and she went flying up towards him.  She went crashing down onto the ship beside the dwarf and he bellowed a laugh before turning around and leaving AJ’s sight. 

 

With a quick thought AJ popped himself up on the deck, only to be met with swords.  He looked right at Rossi and the little man smirked at him.  “Stupid Elvaan.” He scoffed and turned around.  It was then AJ saw the other men carrying Rayne through a doorway, where Rossi followed.

 

Closing his eyes he grabbed onto the wind and sent a burst of air out around him and sent all of Rossi’s men flying away from him.  “Little Dwarfs.” AJ growled as he began walking towards the room.  Sending out Ice bolt after Ice bolt he kept the other deckhands at bay.  Kicking open the door he walked into the room.

 

“Don’t you bloody well move Elvaan.” Rossi snarled and AJ stopped as he saw two Dwarves, one holding Rayne who was still out cold and then other had the knife to her throat.  “I don’t need her blood fresh to open the portal.”

 

AJ let a wind spell go but nothing happened.  He looked around a little confused and tried again.  “Trying to cast are ya?” Rossi smiled.  “Spell lock.”  The Dwarf nodded to his men and they kicked out his knees and brought AJ to the ground.  They may have been small and stubby but they were quick, and they had him tied up in a second.

 

“Take her to the Mage” Rossi barked to his men.  They dragged her past AJ and he tried to fight a little.  But his arms were tied behind his back, which was also tied to his legs.  “Bound like the Elvaan pig you are.” The Dwarf said as he walked past.  “And don’t yee be tryin’ to follow, she’s goin’ to Loki, somethin’ tells me yee don’t know where he be.” Rossi smiled and then walked out of the room. 

 

He shouted and yelled and wrestled with the ropes.  To busy trying to get out of his restraints to hear the fighting on deck but then someone ran into the room.  “Here!!” He heard Brian shout and his friend came running in.

 

“Where is Rayne did you get her?” He asked with a panic.

 

“No, she’s not here with you?” Brian asked.

 

“No, Rossi…” He stopped talking when Nick and Nalia ran into the room. “Did you see Rayne?”

 

“No, just Rossi before he teleported with a Mage.” Nick said as AJ jumped up as Brian undid the last knot.

 

“Fuck!” AJ shouted as he stormed out of the room.

 

“What’s going on, where’s Rayne?” Nick asked.

 

“Rossi…” AJ stopped as fright and worry flew through his body.  “Rossi took her to Loki.”

 

 

 

Nick looked over at Tokia’s men as they were rounded up by their crew.  Some of the faces he recognized some he didn’t.  Some he had drinks with, some he didn’t.  These were supposed to be his people.  He was supposed to lead them one day, not fight against them.

 

“Teleport.” Kevin spoke up.

 

“He can’t.” Nick replied before AJ could.  “He doesn’t know where Loki is.”  And then Nick snapped his fingers. “Bussa get me some of those Tokia men, I’ll make them tell us where he is.” He said as he walked over to Nalia’s General.

 

“It still won’t matter he’s never been there.” Nalia replied as she stood there in worry.

 

Nick ignored her and grabbed the man that Bussa was holding. The purple pink glow flowed from his hands and seeped into the man’s shoulder.  “Where is Loki?”  The Dwarf spit at him.  The glow got brighter and the man screamed in pain as he dropped to the ground.  “Where is Loki?” Nick growled.  But then something different happened.  Nick jerked and gasped as he was caught in some kind of hold.  He couldn’t see the ship anymore just a dark cave and then a door way.  Two men stood in the room and he looked at the woman they held.

 

“Rayne.” He whispered and then a broad tall demon, the one from his dream, the one that tried to make him a demon, stood in front of him.  He looked right into Nick’s eyes. 

 

“We only need her blood.” He hissed and then looked back as a Dwarf ran Rayne through with a dagger.  A loud grown broke from her lips as the little man pulled the knife out, Rossi walked over to her putting a jar against her and letting the blood flow into it.

 

Quickly not letting go of the captured dwarf, Nick swung around and grabbed AJ’s arm. The Vision flowed through him to AJ and his eyes fell in horror.  “Get us there, now!” Nick growled.  With the rush of the wind Nick looked around, everything for a second was blurry and then they were standing in the cave.  Loki spun around with the jar in his hand.

 

“You are too late.” The Demon spoke in a deep booming voice.

 

Nick heard AJ moan and he quickly looked over to his friend; he was looking to the floor beside Loki.  His eyes followed and there he saw Rayne, pail, she looked…

 

“Go.” Loki said handing the jar to Rossi. “Take this to the tree, open the portal, my people will be ready.” He told the Dwarf.  The man that was his Father put his hand on the Mages shoulder and they were gone.

 

Nick quickly looked over to AJ and his friend was looking right at him.  Without speaking they knew what each other was thinking.  In a flash AJ was gone and Nick spun around jumping at Loki.  They crashed to the floor Nick landing on top but the demon was much stronger and he pushed Nick off of him, sending him crashing into a shelf on the stone wall.

 

“Nettlesome Dwarf!” Loki yelled as he stood up. Nick shook his head trying to get his bearings.  The tall Demon walked over and picked Nick up, he looked down at the tentacle riddled face and frowned, it looked slimy. 

 

“Pixca may have lied to us but I’ll give her one thing…” Nick coughed out as Loki squeezed his neck tighter.  “She looked waay better than you.” He let out a shout as he was sent flying to the other corner of the room landing almost on top of Rayne.

 

“Your trivial jests mean nothing to me.” Loki growled as he looked down on Nick.  He slowly climbed to his feet and looked back at the demon.  “It is a shame she pulled the Drak’nor from you.” Loki said nodding down to Rayne.  “You could have been Origar.”  Loki stepped over Rayne and grabbed Nick by the throat. 

 

His hands scrambled as he tried to get a grip on the Demon.  After giving it a quick thought he heard a loud ear piercing but familiar cackle and then small orb of fire ignited against Loki’s back.  The Demon shouted in pain and dropped Nick again he almost fell right on top of Rayne.  With Loki distracted Nick grabbed the Demon’s wrist and then grabbed Rayne.  The Demon looked at him confused but it was enough time to sink the spell in. 

 

Loki tried to pull away but once Nick had you, there was no getting away.  He stared at Loki, this Demon, this thing responsible for the destruction of a culture, almost destroying another one.  He turned an entire Race, his race against their world, made them do horrible things and now he was trapped.

 

The Demons essence flowed into him, he took it in absorbed it as he always did but this time, instead of him taking the energy, he sent it to Rayne.  Loki wailed as he dropped to his knee, he tried with no avail to pull away again.  Nick breathed heavily as the weight of the spell grew on him.  The Demon screamed again and he was to busy concentrating on what he was doing to notice AJ was back with the Jar in hand. 

 

 

 

AJ eye’s darted around in panic as he watched the scene in front of him.  Nick was doing something to Loki and Rayne.  He watched the magic flow from the Demon to Nick and then from Nick to Rayne.  When she gasped his eyes went right to her as Nick and Loki dropped to the ground.  He ran to her and put the jar down.

 

“Rayne?” He said when he saw she was getting up.

 

Slowly she reached up and grabbed her head. “What happened?” She asked looking around confused.  His eyes darted to her stomach, the blood still on her dress, the rip that was created from the Dagger was still open but there was no wound, and no blood flowing.

 

“Is Nick alright?” She asked and his eyes darted back at her.  She was looking behind him. He turned around and saw Nick lying on the ground. 

 

He turned to his friend.  “Nick?” He shook him.  “Nick, Dude?”

 

“That sucked.” Nick moaned his eyes still closed. His eyes slowly opened and he looked at AJ.  “Is Rayne ok?”

 

“She’s fine dude, thanks to you.” AJ replied with a smile.

 

“Owe.” He moaned as he tried to sit up.  “Oh that hurt, that definitely hurt.” He sighed as he laid back down again.

 

“Is Loki dead?” AJ asked looking to Rayne and Nick.

 

“I hope so” Nick sighed again and then with a deep breath he sat up. “What about Rossi?”

 

“He’s out cold back at the tree.” AJ replied.

 

“I am still confused on what happened.” Rayne said as she held her head.

 

AJ and Nick began to fill her in.  From when she went flying onto Rossi’s ship from his spell, to her being run through with a Dagger.  She sat there stunned for a moment and looked at them.

 

“We need to get back to the others they must be wondering what happened.” Rayne said as AJ nodded.

 

“What about him?” He asked.

 

“We need to take him to the portal.” Rayne told them.

 

“You two stay here and watch him. I will teleport to the ship and tell them where we are headed, the Mages there can send them to the portal, I’ll come back with some other Mages and then we will head there.”

 

“Okay” Rayne and Nick said with a nod.

 

AJ closed his eyes and when he opened the again he was staring back at his friends.  They were looking at him with surprise and concern.  He felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned and saw Nalia looking at him.

 

“He’s ok” AJ replied.  “Loki’s dead.”

 

“What, how?” Nalia gasped.

 

“Nick some how saw what they were doing to her, they stabbed her and took her blood in a jar.” AJ told them.

 

“Alex.” Kevin said with concern and he waved them off.

 

“We teleported out there, Loki gave the Jar to Rossi and he took off with a Mage to the tree where the portal is.  I went after Rossi, I got the jar back but then when I got back to the cave, Nick was draining Loki but he was sending the energy to Rayne.  He gave her enough energy to come back and even heal herself.

 

“What?” Nalia said stunned. “Well where are they now?”

 

“With Loki’s body, we have to go to the Portal, everyone group up with a Mage, I need two to come with and we’ll meet you there.” AJ told them.  “Oh” He said snapping his fingers. “Rossi might be waking up now and he will most likely be confused as all hell, so be on the look out.”

 

“Okay” Everyone nodded and agreed.

 

With Mages in tow AJ went back to the cave and rejoined Rayne and Nick.  One Mage went with Nick, one Mage went with Loki’s body and AJ took Rayne from around the waist. 

 

“Ready?” He asked.

 

“Yes” She replied with a nod.

 

In a flash they were both standing at the tree and they quickly looked around surveying the area.  Nalia, Howie, Brian, Avit, Leigh-Anne, Leigh, and Jaina standing around in a circle and then AJ saw Nick and his Mage pop up on the other side of the circle.

 

“Nick!” Kevin shouted when he saw him. He felt a tug on his arm and he looked at Rayne standing beside him.  She didn’t look at him she just nodded.  He followed and saw Rossi and the other Mage on their knees.  The old Dwarf looked lost and confused.

 

“Loki is dead; they are no longer under his control.” She said as she finally looked at him.

 

“So…what do we do now?” AJ asked.

 

“From what I understand the tree marks where the portal is, we need to put his blood there, and that should close the portal, correct?” She asked looking at Nick and he nodded.

 

The body of the Demon was dragged over to the tree and everyone looked at Nalia’s sword. AJ looked around and saw his friends, Avit, Jaina, Lawrence and Bussa all staring at them.  He realized then what this moment meant for them.  It was the end, the end of a war, the end of being puppets for another race, another culture.

 

AJ looked up as Nalia lifted her sword.  “For Pix…” she stopped and he head tilted to Rayne.

 

“For Aurona.” Rayne said with a light smile, Nadia smiled back.

 

“For Aurona” Nalia said and then drove her sword through the Demon. 

 

A loud crackle and everyone quickly moved away from the tree.  The portal opened as a purple and black magic flowed around it and everyone gasped.  They saw a Demon on the other side, he roared and growl at them, and then it looked down and saw Loki.  Its howl got worse as the portal began to spark and rip as the magic that had held it open all these years began to weaken.  It got smaller and smaller as the purple and black magic slowly turned to white. The Demon roared again and AJ thought for a moment the beast was going to come through the portal but then a loud sonic boom was heard, it caused AJ and everyone around him to duck out of habit and they dropped to the ground.  When he looked up again, the tree was dead, the portal was gone, and the people slowly started to cheer.

 

AJ stood up and brushed himself off and then looked over to Rayne, she was staring at the tree and tear fell down her cheek.  “Are you alright Rayne?” He asked as he turned to her with concern. 

 

Her head turned and she looked at him.  Her eyes were filling with more tears but she smiled lightly.  “It is over. The War we fought for years, all the people we lost, it is finally all over.”

 

He smiled at his Wife and wrapped her in his arms.  Holding her tight he let her cry happy and relieved tears as the people celebrated around them.  When she pulled away from him a little he looked at her, her fingers drifted past his face and gently drifted down his hair. She trapped one of his long beads in her fingers and looked at him.

 

“So” Nick’s voice broke apart their moment and they both rolled their eyes and looked at him. “What are we doing about Rossi?” The anger of Nick budging in faded away as they looked to the Dwarf on the ground. 

 

“They were under Loki’s control.” Rayne said as the four of them stood in a circle.

 

“Can we blame them for what they have done?” Nalia asked.

 

“Nick what do you think?” AJ asked looking at his friend.

 

“I know what Loki can do, the control he can have over you.  We should put them all some where until we can know for sure the effects of him are gone and if they are then…” He paused and AJ waited for him to finish.  “Then I guess he can return as King…”  AJ noticed it looked like Nick wanted to say more but he didn’t.

 

“I will inform the Generals.” Rayne said with a nod before leaving the circle.

 

“So…” Nick said as the three walked towards Rayne and everyone else.  “What do we do now?”

 

“First we burn Loki’s body and then my friends we party.” AJ said with a smile and it made Nick laugh.

 

Chapter 40 by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

 Chapter 40

           

            AJ sat at the long table in the town center of Hevi.  The people around him human and Elvaan celebrated.  He found himself thinking about all the Dwarves sitting in the camps that had been built to house and guard them. His eyes darted upwards when he saw a shadow cut across him and he smiled when he saw his Wife sitting down beside him.

 

“Done dancing already?” She asked a little breathless.

 

“And to think this afternoon you were so adamant about getting me to rest.” He replied.

 

“Hmmm” She hummed as she smiled jokingly. He laughed and wondered if he had ever seen her as happy as she was now. Well maybe on their wedding night.

 

“You’re Majesty.” Kimiri said from behind AJ and he turned around.

 

“Yes Kimiri?” She replied.

 

“I and the rest of us wish to speak to you, Princess Nalia, King Alexander, Prince Nickolas, and their friends in private.” The tall Elvaan said and AJ looked at Rayne.

 

“Alright” She replied with a nod.  “We can meet in the Auditorium.”

 

“Very well.” He replied with a nod and then walked away.

 

“What was that about?” AJ asked.

 

“I have no idea but we should gather everyone and find out.” She told him as she stood up. After a few moments AJ looked around and saw everyone but Nick staring back at him.

 

“Does anyone know where he went?” Kevin asked.

 

“He told me he was going to get another drink, that was only a few moments ago.” Nalia replied confused.

 

 

Nick walked the small path between the giant city wall and the castle wall as he made is way towards the temporary camps.  The guards nodded to him as they let him walk past the only entrance everything else was wood, spikes, and spiked animal fence.  He walked to the back of the camp and found the last tent.  With a deep breath he pulled back the flap and walked in.  He saw Rossi sitting on the mats and blankets that were provided to him.  The man looked up at him.

 

“Aye shouldn’t yee be out celebrating?” Rossi mumbled.

 

“Nalia told me the camps were finished so I wanted to check them out.” He replied.

 

“So what yee be doin’ here?” He asked.

 

“What happened to the Dwarves Rossi?” Nick asked.

 

The man sighed and sat there and then he spoke.  “T’was a Dwarf Priest that summoned Loki here and when he realized what Pixca was up ta, he took over her Dwarf race and well the rest yee know.” He said.

 

“When I first got here you acted like everything was fine…”

 

“It twas until yee broke from Loki’s spell when you and Nalia were going to Ashmourn, he couldn’t control ya anymore.”  Rossi told him.  “Tats when he started barkin’ orders to kill ya.”  The man sighed again.  “He took Mela first sent her after you, tat’s all I rrememba.”

 

“Took?” Nick asked confused.

 

“Mela didn’t want to do it, she still loved ya, I did too you were our son.” He said as he looked at Nick.  “I’m glad it was you in that she didn’t die by someone else’s sword.”

 

Nick stood there for a second everything since that moment had been happening so fast he didn’t realize what he had actually done that night, the night when Rayne found him in that cave, and they went to Hevi.  He remembered holding Mela by her neck, sucking the energy and life from her.

 

“Aye, yee should get back to the party.” Rossi said as Nick’s thoughts were broken

 

He didn’t want to, he wanted to talk to Rossi some more.  He knew it wasn’t their fault; Loki was controlling them, making them do these things.  He didn’t want to go but he knew that Rossi and the others wouldn’t want to be bothered right now as they tried to grasp their heads around what transpired.  Turning around Nick opened the flap and walked out of the small tent.  He was about to look back when he saw AJ walking up to him.

 

“How did I know you’d be here?” AJ asked as his friend walked up to him.

 

“What’s up?” Nick asked knowing AJ wouldn’t leave a party for just any reason.

 

“Kimiri wants to see us; we’re meeting in the Auditorium.” His friend told him.

 

“Really why?” Nick asked as the two started walking.

 

“I have no idea” AJ replied with a light sigh.

 

 

AJ stood beside Rayne as he looked around and saw his friends, their wives, Nick and Nalia.  In front of them on the floor where the seats were organized were Kimiri and the other Elvaans.  He wondered what this was about, why were they all brought here.

 

“Alright Kimiri we are all here why did you want with us?” Rayne asked as AJ looked to the old Elvaan.

 

“We have gifts for you Milady.”

 

“Gifts?” Rayne responded confused and AJ looked over at Nick just as confused.

 

“Yes” The man replied.  “First we have a gift for the proud knights of this land.” Kimiri said and AJ looked over to Howie and Kevin.

 

“Our world’s blood flow is magic, it always has been and it always will be.” Then Kimiri held up a bunch of shinny black stones as they hung from three necklaces. “These stones come from the deepest darkest caverns on this land and with these stones; you will always be connected to this place.”  Kimiri nodded to a man and he began to put the necklaces over the heads of Kevin, Brian, and Howie.  “With these stones you will be able to visit this place any time you see fit.”

 

“Seriously?” AJ and Nick replied a little shocked.

 

“What about our wives?” Kevin asked.

 

“You can take one person with you.” Kimiri replied with a light smile.

 

“So they can just come here any time they want too?” AJ asked and Kimiri nodded. 

 

“Hold the stone in your hand and remember this place, it will take you there.” The old Elvaan told them.

 

“That’s awesome.” Kevin smiled as he looked over the necklace he wore and even AJ smiled.

 

“Thank you Kimiri.” Rayne said with a smile.  “It is good to know our friends won’t be so far away.”

 

“So is that it? Can we go back to the party?” Nick asked and then AJ heard a huff from him as Nalia’s hand smacked against his stomach.  AJ giggled.

 

“No Prince Nickolas there is still more.” Kimiri replied to him with a light smile.  He then turned to the four of them as they stood beside each other on the stage. “Before we say our final goodbye this gift we give to you, the hero’s of Aurona, you saved our land, our world, and no matter how you got here or who created you, you saved our people, your people.”

 

“Final goodbye?” AJ whispered to Rayne and she lightly shrugged with a nod as she quickly looked at him.

 

“So in turn, we will save yours.” Kimiri said and both AJ and Rayne turned their heads to look at the old Elvaan who was already blanketed in a white, bright, glow.  It consumed the other Elvaans that were with him as they chanted.

 

“What is going on?” He heard Nalia whisper but he couldn’t say anything he just watched.

 

The bright light got larger and larger and AJ had to cover his eyes with his hand and then just as fast as the light had consumed them they were gone.  All of them, gone.  AJ’s eyes scanned the empty chairs in front of him.

 

“Well what the hell.” Nick said from beside him.

 

“Nickolas?” Nalia said and everyone turned to look at her.  She was standing in front of Nick as he turned to face her.  AJ’s eyes frowned in confusion as her hand reached up to Nick’s face and gently touched it, her eyes...  “I can see you.” She whispered as tears dripped from her eyes.  “I can see you!” She said with some excitement as she jumped into his arms.  AJ could tell Nick was still in shock from what was going on as everyone gathered around the two.

 

“Alexander…” A voice said from behind them and AJ froze.  He knew that voice, it had been a while since he heard it but he knew it.   Rayne had turned around before him and he heard her gasp and then she choked out a cry.  He looked at her and saw her face, saw the look in her eyes and that is when he finally turned around and saw…

 

“Marsa?” AJ whispered as his throat went dry.  Then he noticed the two women standing beside him.

 

“So in turn, we will save yours.” He heard Rayne whisper and then everything clicked.

 

Marsa walked up to him and the man had a bright smile on his face.  This time AJ noticed he stood almost face to face with him.  He stood there not sure if what he was seeing was real or not, maybe it was one final trick from Loki, from the Dwarves. Marsa put his arms around AJ and pulled him into a hug. 

 

“It is good to see you again my Son.” Marsa said and as AJ heard the words he brought his arms up and hugged him back.  When the two pulled away again they both had wet eyes from the tears they cried.

 

“Rayne!” Someone shouted from the back of the Auditorium and everyone spun around.

 

AJ felt his heart flutter when he saw Halian running down the isle towards Rayne. He looked to his Wife she was frozen, looking at the woman running towards her, and then Rayne jumped down from the stage and ran into her Mothers arms.  Then AJ looked up when something caught his eye.  He took a deep breath and watched as Rayne saw what he saw.

 

“Father…” Rayne said as she ran to him and hugged him.  He could hear her crying as she hugged the man that she lost over a year ago.  He smiled, happily as he watched his wife greet her parents again.

 

The door on their right side opened up and everyone looked but it was Nalia who gasped and let go of Nick as she went running towards the tall broad man who walked into the room. She jumped into his arms and AJ knew when he looked at Nick.

 

“Think that’s her Dad?” AJ asked Nick with a smile.  His friend turned his head and looked at him, he had tears and a smile, and he answered with a nod.

 

“What about Nick?” Kevin asked and AJ looked at him.  “Where’s Mela?”

 

“Probably not here, she was one of the reasons they lost their land.” Nick said as he wiped his eyes.  “It’s o…”

 

“Aye don’t ya be thinkin’ you could get rid of your Mother that easily!” They heard the familiar voice of a Dwarf and everyone turned around.  Mela stopped and looked at Nick, everyone looked at Nick.  His friend took a step and then another and then AJ watched as Nick knelt down and hugged her.

 

“I’m sorry” AJ heard Nick say to her and Mela lightly smiled.

 

“Don’t be me son.” She replied with a smile as she hugged him back.

 

When AJ felt something touch his shoulder he turned around and saw Rayne.  He smiled at her and he pulled her into a hug.  When they pulled away he saw her parents watching them with a smile on their face.

 

“Alexander?” Marsa said and AJ got a chill down his spine.  He knew this was going to take some getting use too.  “Your Mother and Sister would like to meet you.”  AJ smiled not really sure how to react as Marsa took a step back and he saw the tall Elvaan woman that had visited him when he first got here.

 

“You still have those eyes I remember looking back at me when you were first born.” Tsa said and then she hugged him.  When they pulled away she turned a little.  “And this is your Sister Nati.”

 

“Nati” AJ said with a smile and then a thought popped into his head. “Wait here ok.” AJ said not sure why they would leave in the first place.  His Family looked back at him confused.  Then in a flash AJ was gone.

 

“Alex, there you are Bussa’s been looking for Nalia, have you seen her?” Avit asked.

 

“Yeah, you need to come with me.” AJ said looking at Avit as Jaina, Bussa and Lawrence walked up to him. 

 

“Is everything alright?” Jaina asked.

 

“Yeah, everything is fine, meet us in the Auditorium.” AJ replied as he looked back to Avit.  “Ready?” He asked his General and the man nodded with a confused look on his face.  In a flash they were back in the Theatre.  But they weren’t on the stage; they were standing in the middle of the isle. Avit’s back was to everyone as they stood on the stage.  AJ looked behind Avit and saw his Sister Nati stepping forward. 

 

“Sir, what is going on?” Avit asked as AJ held him by the arms.

 

“What’s the one thing you want more in this world Avit?” AJ asked him.

 

“Well that has already happened thanks to you Sir.” Avit said and AJ knew he meant peace.

 

“Besides that?” AJ asked with a smile.  Just then Jaina, Lawrence and Bussa entered the Auditorium.  He heard gasps and mutters.  AJ watched as Avit’s eyes darted behind him most likely to Jaina.  For a moment AJ wanted to turn around and see the look on Jaina’s face seeing Nati standing there.  “More than anything…” He whispered when Avit looked back to him.

 

“Sir” Avit said and his face showed confusion but hope.  AJ smiled at Avit and let go of his arms.

 

“Someone wants to say Hi” AJ said with a nod and Avit slowly turned around.  AJ looked at his Sister as she stood there quiet, her hands folded in front of her.  Avit started to go down and AJ grabbed him Bussa did too.

 

“I can not believe my eyes…” Avit whispered.

 

“Believe it.” AJ said back as Avit looked at him.  His General looked back to the woman who was now walking down the stage.  AJ noticed Avit took a deep breath and then stood up straighter. He then made his way too her, AJ followed closely behind.

 

“Nati?” Avit said still confused by the person standing in front of him. Her hand drifted up the side of his face, her fingers trickled down his cheek.

 

“Avit” She replied with a light smile and then she was taken into his arms as they kissed.

 

AJ looked around as everyone smiled, cheered a little and began talking to the people they had just gotten back.  He looked back to his Sister and Avit as they stared at each other.

 

“I do not understand what is going on.” Avit said still looking at Nati.

 

“Kimiri” AJ said and Avit looked at him.  “He asked us to come here; he told us that they were giving us a gift because we helped save Aurona.” AJ told him.  “This…” He said as he waved his arm around and for the first time Avit saw everyone else.  Marsa, Tsa, Rayne’s parents.  “This was his gift to us; he gave us back what we had lost, because we did the same for them.”

 

“Everyone?” Avit asked.

 

“Everyone” AJ replied with a smile. He eyes drifted over to Rayne and she was back on the stage staring at him.  Looking back to Avit and Nati and smiling as they hugged and kissed again he made his way to the stage.  She jumped down and ran up to him and then wrapped her arms around him.

 

“This is so wonderful.” She said as she started crying again.  AJ smiled as he held her tighter. 

 

After a moment he slowly pulled her away and looked at her. “Now our lives can really begin together.” He told her and she nodded with a smile before falling back into his arms.

 

 

Epilogue by VeeLynn

The Guardian Crusade

Volume III

                                                             Epilogue

           

            His eyes watched with furry.  There under him as he stood in the rafters of the Winnol Auditorium he saw them.  His Sister, His Mother, and His Father, they were all there brought back by those Elvaan friends of Rayne.  His eyes darted to her; she was hanging off of Alexander’s neck like a drunken wrench from the tavern.  He growled deeply.

 

            Dyn fought the urge to jump down and attack them all when they least expected it. This wasn’t the time.  Now was not the place.  He would let them forget about him, he would let them be a family again and then, then he will take them away.  His eyes drifted to his Father.

 

“Resented for years because of who I was not…” He whispered angrily as he stood up still staring at the Elvaan man.  “Punished for the feelings of my heart…” He looked at Rayne and then closed his eyes. He disappeared without anyone knowing he was there.  When he opened them again he was standing on the beach where the men had found him.  He stared out to the ocean and then up to the sky.  The clouds went from white to a dark looming grey in a second; lightning raced across the sky and then shot down into the now ruff waters of the Ocean.  “You will feel the pain you caused me!” Dyn growled as he clenched his hand in a fist. The storm began to get stronger.  “One by one I will take them all away just like you took everything from me.” Thunder rumbled shaking the ground below him but he didn’t falter.  “Even after you kill Loki and you wonder what is next, I will be there, reminding you every single day…”  A giant wave roared into the sky, it raced its way towards Dyn and then the Elvaan put out his hand and stopped the wave dead in its tracks.  “That I will be the reason you sleep alone.” He hissed staring at the monstrous wave.

 

AJ sat on the windowsill and looked out to the giant tree fall as it fell into the pond below.  His eyes darted to the clouds as he noticed a storm rolling in.  He took a deep breath and thought about what had happened today.  He lightly laughed to himself and then that’s when he realized he wasn’t alone in the room. 

 

“What is so funny?” Rayne asked as she sat down in front of him.

 

“All those years I spent running after my Father, wishing and hoping I would get the family I wanted and now…” He paused and a light smile broke from his lips.  “When I thought I didn’t need that dream anymore, it comes true.”

 

Rayne smiled as she placed her hand on the side of his neck.  She leaned in and kissed him and he got lost in it for a moment.  His eyes opened when she pulled away and he looked at her.  “You’re friends are getting ready to go now.” She told him.

 

“You know it is nice that they now have these stones and all but…” He stopped as he grabbed the door and opened it for her but she waited for him to finsh.

 

“But what?” She asked.

 

“If Kevin starts showing up everyday, just to ‘See how things are’ I might break it.” AJ sighed and Rayne lightly laughed.

 

“Come” She said as she looped her arm through his and lead them out of the room.

 

“So where are your Mom and Dad?” AJ asked.

 

“They went back to Drisel with Jaina to get settled.” She told him with the brightest smile he had ever seen.  “And no one has seen Avit or Nati since we left the Auditorium.” And the way she talked made him laugh. They both laughed and giggled like school kids all the way to Alex’s meeting room. When AJ walked in he saw his friends there, he saw Nick and Nalia and he saw Marsa and Tsa.  Kevin was the first too see them walk in and his friend walked over to him. 

 

“Still not use to not having to at least bend a bit to hug you.” Kevin said and then he pulled AJ in for a hug.  He laughed as he hugged his friend back.  “And you…” His friend said looking to Rayne.  “Make sure he stays out of trouble.”  His wife smiled and hugged Kevin as she nodded.

 

“Prick” AJ said looking to Brian.

 

“Asshole” Brian said back with a smile.

 

“So are you actually going to use that thing?” AJ asked nodding to the stone necklace he wore.

 

“If I don’t bring Leigh-Anne back here once in a while, she’ll divorce me.” Brian sighed and AJ laughed.

 

“Well she will always have a place at my Castle….you can just poof back home.” AJ replied tauntingly.  Brian rolled his eyes with a laugh as he walked back over to his wife.  AJ and Rayne followed and said goodbye to Leigh-Anne.  They then said goodbye to Howie and Leigh.

 

AJ watched as his friends placed their hands around the stone and then each one started to glow.  The bright rainbow colours soon engulfed them and then when it dispersed his friends were gone.

 

“So, what are you guys doing now?” AJ asked as he turned to Nick and Nalia.  He looked at Nalia, her eyes brown and beaming. He smiled.

 

“I’m going to check on Mela.” Nick said. 

 

“We should talk soon on what to do about the Dwarves.” Rayne said as AJ looked at her.

 

“Do you think we can trust them?” AJ asked.

 

“I don’t think Kimiri would have let her come back if we couldn’t.” Nick replied.

 

“I agree” Nalia replied with a nod.

 

“Alex” Marsa said and AJ looked at him.  “May I have a moment?” He asked.

 

“Sure” AJ replied with a nod.

 

“I am going to Drisel for a moment and see how my Mother and Father are doing.” Rayne said with a soft smile.

 

“Okay” He replied and gave her a quick kiss before she left.

 

When AJ turned around he noticed Tsa was leaving with Rayne and he looked at Marsa. “Is everything alright?” He asked.

 

“My mind is still a little foggy when it comes to my memories but…” The old man paused.  “Your Brother is still alive and I fear once he finds out your Mother, Sister and I have returned…”

 

“Yeah I know” AJ said with a sigh. 

 

“Once Avit…” He paused and quickly corrected himself.  “I will find Avit and make sure we prepare properly.” AJ told him and Marsa smiled.

 

“You have come a long way my Son.” Marsa told him and AJ felt his face go red.  “I am so proud of you.”  His eyes looked to Marsa and this weird feeling of peace came over him.

 

“Thanks” AJ replied with a shy smile.  That was not something he was use too.  Marsa put his arm around his shoulders and they walked out of the meeting room.

 

“Of course you know this means that now I am back, I get my crown back too.” Marsa said and AJ stopped.  He looked at the man for a moment and then smiled.

 

“Good luck with that.” He replied and started walking again.  When Marsa caught up to him the Elvaan was laughing…

 

“No not the Elvaan.” AJ thought. “My Dad.”

 

 

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10898