Third Time's The Charm by Simple Sue
Summary: thirdbanner

After a failed marriage and a runaway bride, Brian had given up on the idea of true love. Maggie was so far from anything he’d ever known and exactly what he needed. Is the third time really the charm?



Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian
Genres: Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 41 Completed: No Word count: 52149 Read: 71656 Published: 04/23/12 Updated: 10/17/13
Story Notes:



Brian came back to play but not like you think. Join me for this new adventure, won't you?

1. Chapter 1 by Simple Sue

2. Chapter 2 by Simple Sue

3. Chapter 3 by Simple Sue

4. Chapter 4 by Simple Sue

5. Chapter 5 by Simple Sue

6. Chapter 6 by Simple Sue

7. Chapter 7 by Simple Sue

8. Chapter 8 by Simple Sue

9. Chapter 9 by Simple Sue

10. Chapter 10 by Simple Sue

11. Chapter 11 by Simple Sue

12. Chapter 12 by Simple Sue

13. Chapter 13 by Simple Sue

14. Chapter 14 by Simple Sue

15. Chapter 15 by Simple Sue

16. Chapter 16 by Simple Sue

17. Chapter 17 by Simple Sue

18. Chapter 18 by Simple Sue

19. Chapter 19 by Simple Sue

20. Chapter 20 by Simple Sue

21. Chapter 21 by Simple Sue

22. Chapter 22 by Simple Sue

23. Chapter 23 by Simple Sue

24. Chapter 24 by Simple Sue

25. Chapter 25 by Simple Sue

26. Chapter 26 by Simple Sue

27. Chapter 27 by Simple Sue

28. Chapter 28 by Simple Sue

29. Chapter 29 by Simple Sue

30. Chapter 30 by Simple Sue

31. Chapter 31 by Simple Sue

32. Chapter 32 by Simple Sue

33. Chapter 33 by Simple Sue

34. Chapter 34 by Simple Sue

35. Chapter 35 by Simple Sue

36. Chapter 36 by Simple Sue

37. Chapter 37 by Simple Sue

38. Chapter 38 by Simple Sue

39. Chapter 39 by Simple Sue

40. Chapter 40 by Simple Sue

41. Chapter 41 by Simple Sue

Chapter 1 by Simple Sue
Here comes the bride. But she didn't . Left him standing there at the altar. He was living that scene out of The Wedding Singer. Only he never got an explanation as to why she ripped his heart to shreds. At least his first wife had the decency to leave the ring and a note on the kitchen table. This one just took the ring and ran. Talk about your runaway brides!

Nice guys apparently do finish last or he would have the white picket fence, beautiful family and a faithful dog to greet him when came home. Well he managed the dog part, the wife almost twice. Weren't there any nice girls that wanted to settle down and have a family anymore? There had to be at least one out there that wasn't completely career oriented.

Like that girl over in the corner with her Starbuck's coffee mug to one side and her eyes intent on a laptop computer screen. Her hair pulled.......wait a minute. It wasn't tightly wound up on her head like it normally was. It rest gently on her shoulders and was light brown. She still had the thin framed glasses sitting slightly off the bridge of her nose. Her clothes were still somewhat conservative but she seemed more relaxed. She's a pretty girl. Like he wasn't going to notice that day after day?

He wasn't shy but every time he got the nerve to approach her, she was closing up her laptop and heading out the door. He probably could have asked somebody at the counter what her name was but deep down his heart belonged to another woman. Online romances were never supposed to work but three months after Leigh Anne left him standing like a fool in front of God and his family, he dove back in unintentionally.

They'd been chatting in the Christian singles chat room on Yahoo for three months when he asked if they could have a more private conversation. For the first time since their online introduction, she had a name. Maggie. That's all he knew of her other than the every day things they talked about. It was a nice, no strings attached relationship but he'd lost his heart. It was nice to have somebody to share your day with and not be judged but his heart started getting in the way despite his numerous attempts to reel it back in. He wondered if she felt the same. He didn't want to push anything romantic because they had a good thing going.

Another thing nice about it was that it gave him the chance to be anonymous. He didn't have to know what she looked like and she didn't have to know he looked like. He wasn't ashamed of his looks. It just felt nice to not have to dress up to be with somebody you really liked. But it also sucked.

He missed being intimate with a woman. Why his eyes lingered on the girl in the corner that day he couldn't figure out. She probably met someone anyway. Why else would she change her appearance? It seemed to be the only reason women did. His attention turned when his order was called. Only briefly though. He turned back and watched her. She was mouthing the words to some song. She was really getting into it. So unaware of the world around her. She must have felt somebody watching her though because the minute her eyes rose, so did the color in her cheeks. Like she shouldn't be enjoying herself in public or something. He knew he was the only watching her. He sent her a friendly smile and exited the coffee shop. She smiled shyly in return to him though. Maybe tomorrow he would talk to her.



How embarrassing! She didn't realize how much into her music she was. She was chair dancing as her college roomies had called it. Until college, she'd led a pretty sheltered life. Her parents never uttered the word sex in their household, they didn't have cable television. She wondered sometimes if her parents even had relations after she was born or if they were so stiff that the only other time they did was to have her brother. She didn't know what MTV was until her freshman year in school. She was the bookworm of her group. She really didn't have the typical party til you puke college experience that her friends did but they respected her values. She didn't kiss a boy until she was twenty two. Was taught to wait until she was married to be sexually interested in a man. It's not like she wasn't. Sex was something her friends had almost on a nightly basis at school. Maybe the noises they made is what kept her at bay about the whole thing. If that's what it was all about, no thank you.

Another reason she didn't have a lot of boyfriends. She had dates but when they realized they weren't getting any after dinner and a movie, they never called. She obviously was born in the wrong place and time for the set of moral standards she was brought up with. A time when men courted you. Took the time to get to know you. She dreamed of that all the time. There had to be a nice guy out there somewhere right? One that wanted a girl that just wanted to settle down and raise a family. Somebody that loved her for all the things that she was in this modern world.

She thought she'd met that guy online. She'd been chatting with him for three months. Apparently he'd gone through a pretty foul breakup. She could just feel it through his words. The way he told his story when they finally got outside that chatroom. She didn't have any sordid tales to tell. Men were never around long enough for her to have a relationship with. Maybe she was better off without them. There had to be more than sex to build a relationship. Although her eye wandering to the sweet, all American looking guy that shared the same coffee shop was starting to make her realize that's the base of it. There had to be an attraction and from those kind eyes to the nice behind she watched as he walked out of her life every morning, she knew it was true. There were things stirring in her that she'd been taught were wrong to feel until after a man put that ring on her finger. Like it was the key to unlock the chastity belt. Did they even make those anymore?

But the guy online? She finally found out his name. Brian. She was mature enough to know that she should keep her heart out of it but realistically, even at thirty, she was finding it impossible to not let him have that part of her. The part that was starting to feel something for the blue eyed stranger in her everyday world that finally smiled at her.
Chapter 2 by Simple Sue
Tomorrow came and went. The weekend was there and she wouldn't be. Neither would he. Something as simple as going for a morning coffee during the week was something he never thought he'd look forward to. Neither did meeting Maggie online. Never in a million years did he think he would look forward to making a meeting on his computer. However that weekend they both had made plans. She was having dinner with her friends Saturday night and he was attending a friend's wedding out of town. For most people that had been dumped where he was, six months might have been too soon but not for him. He loved seeing two people so in love. Considering this guy was the last person anybody ever thought would take that plunge with his family history. His parents weren't exactly the greatest example of the forever kind of love everybody dreams of finding. Nick had found it in Chelsea. Brian's were the epitome of that kind of love. Forty five years strong. Everybody he knew wanted to set him up nowadays but he politely told them he wasn't ready. Maybe he was and he was just avoiding physically getting back out there. Maggie was enough. At least he thought she was until he found himself making eye contact with the girl in the coffee shop. It may sound stalkerish but he took a picture of her that day when she was lost in her music. He pulled his I phone out and went to his gallery; pulling up her picture.

“Who's the girl?” He heard the voice come from over his shoulder. It was his friend Alex.

Closing the application, he stuffed it back in his slacks pocket.”Nobody.”

“Didn't look like nobody to me Rok. She's pretty in that plain jane sort of way. Doesn't seem like your type.”

“What is my type AJ? Blond and silicone?” He defended.

“Hit a nerve did I?”

“You all act like I should only fall in love with the big breasted California girl types.”

AJ raised his brow.”Well the last two have kind of proven that theory. Who is the girl anyway?”

“Some girl at the Starbuck's I go to every morning.”

“Why haven't you hit her up? You obviously want to.”

“I don't think she's the type that you just hit and quit.”

“I don't know about that Big Bri. The innocent looking ones are usually the most deceptive. Couldn't hurt to try could it?”

He shrugged. Maybe it was time to take that leap back into the real world.”I guess not.”

“I know Leigh crushed you pretty hard but being here today for Nick just proves that you're gonna make it and you are going to find that girl. The one that fits you.”

He was right. He made it through the ceremony and a better part of the reception. He'd have this all again. In time.”I needed that. Thanks.”

“You've been there for me more than you know. It's what friends do.”






“So who's the latest victim?” Camille teased their friend Jaz(Jasmine) that Saturday night at dinner.

All her friends had these great names. Camille. Jasmine. Deidre Then her. Plain old Maggie. No wonder men ever looked at her twice. Why bother to impress them because when they heard your name it was as if you had some sort of disease. She didn't hate her parents but she didn't exactly care for the choice of name they gave her. Why couldn't she have a French name or a flower you'd find on a lush tropical island. Men never dreamed of taking her to exotic places. Diedre had been to the Bahamas, Camille to Jamaica and Jasmine had been somewhere on the other side of the world where the water was as clear as day and you could see rainbow colored fish swimming at your feet.

It didn't bother her so much that they got the trips but she should have been the girl to get married first with a name like Maggie. Plain,simple and a babymaker. That's the image conjured up with her name. But there was that guy in the coffee shop. The one that set her motor running. He looked at her as more than just plain and simple. She'd never been told she was plain and simple. It's just the way she felt. Maybe contacts were worth looking into.

“Hey Mags! Where'd you go?” Jaz inquired.

“Yeah Mags! Got a man story to share with us this week?”Camille smiled.

It must have shown from the goofy grin she didn't realize she had on her face.”Not really.”

“Come on Maggie. You're smiling like a fool and you're wearing your hair down these days. Doesn't take a genius to figure there's a guy lurking somewhere,”Deidre added.

“That's all he's doing.”

“What do you mean?”

“Some guy at the coffee shop.”

“What about this little internet romance you've got going? Won't this guy get jealous?” Jaz teased.

“It's not a romance. He's just a friend but the guy at the coffee shop is real and he's cute. I don't know why he'd even bother to smile at me.”

“He smiled at you?”Camille leaned in.

:”It's silly really. I was listening to Big Time Rush on my computer and chair dancing when I looked up and saw his smile. I was so embarrassed.”


“Mags.”Camille took her hand being the nearest to her. ”You've got to get over this I'm not cute enough thing cuz guys were lining up in our college dorm just to ask you out. Your parents are to blame for these self-esteem issues. If you really like this guy, we're gonna teach you how to get him to come to you.”

“So tell us about him girl,”Jaz urged.

“Does he have a nice butt?” Deidre grinned.

“De!” Maggie protested.

“He does!” Jaz smirked.

“You guys!”

“Nothing wrong with that. You need something to grab onto when he's fucking you senseless.”

“Nice ladies. Let's not start there. Let's get her hooked up before they HOOK UP,” Camille interrupted. “But they are right,” she added. ”So you let the hair down finally. That's a good start. Ever thought of contacts Maggie? You have gorgeous eyes and they're hiding under those glasses.”

“I was thinking about that. He has these amazing blue eyes. So soft and kind.”

“Oh she's lost it. I can't wait to meet this guy,” Jaz stated.

“Be serious for a minute would you guys? Our friend here wants some help in a world she has very little experience in. Let's give her our serious expertise okay?”

“You're no fun,”Deidre pouted.


“She's right De. Mags deserve to have a good man and he sounds like he just might be what the doctored ordered.,”Jaz replied to Deidre.

“I'm sorry Mags. You really like this guy don't you?”

She nodded.

“Then let's start operation makeover Maggie after we get our check”

Hopefully it wouldn't this one wouldn't nose dive before it even took off
Chapter 3 by Simple Sue
So the girls did what any good friends would do. Since it was Saturday night, they grabbed their makeup kits and ended up at her place. They went through Maggie's closet and decided that Sunday afternoon after church and lunch, they had to hit the mall. Her wardrobe just wasn't cutting it. She was too tight collared as they called it. Looking at it herself, she had to agree with them. She had to get something that would at least draw his attention to her. More than it did. She had to use a little of her God given gifts if she wanted to reel him in.

She was about as inexperienced as it was when it came to men. She'd kissed a few frogs but she'd never jumped into their beds and at her age in this day and age, she was an abnormality. But if this were the fifties, she'd have been considered an old maid so she really was screwed. Not in a good way. Her friends always talked about sex like it was nothing. An extracurricular activity. One she thought would be fun more and more every day now since the cute boy smiled at her. Her friends made it sound like it could be. They tried not to talk so much about it considering where Maggie was in life.

“So tell us more about the cute boy in the coffee shop Mags,”Jaz requested of her.

“Can I ask you guys something and promise not to laugh?”

Camille knew the others would if she didn't send them the death glare so when they came to that understanding , she said,” Go ahead.”

“What does an orgasm feel like?” She knew Deidre was doing her best to hold back and oddly enough Jaz restrained herself.

“Seriously?” Deidre burst.

“You promised!” Camille gave her a dirty look.

“Mags, I'm sorry.”Her hand reaching over to cover her friends.”So you really want to know what it feels like?”

“Yeah.”

“You mean you've never pleasured yourself?” Jaz interrupted.

“Have you forgot how I was raised?”

“Point taken. Mags, you got to get yourself a toy or at least use your hand to find out what makes your body tick before a man can.”

“But aren't they supposed to be able to do that?”

“How does it feel when you think of him Maggie?”Camille inquired seriously.

Her thoughts drifted to him briefly and she looked her friend in the eye with a blush.”Like I shouldn't be tingling all over the place.”

“But where do you tingle the most?” Deidre shot in.

The question that made her blush even more. She just wanted to know what it felt like. Instead, they were going to teach her how to give herself one. Didn't seem proper. She fidgeted.”Forget it.”

“Mags, it's just us girls. We're your friends. We're not going to tell anybody. We just want to help. You're missing out on one of the better parts of life. Granted, it's not always good. “

“But it can be with the right guy, “Camille continued.”But until you do find that one, you have to think of your needs.”

Camille should know. She had the perfect guy.”So you wanna know where I get the warmest when I think of him?”

“If you want us to help, yes.”

“Downstairs.” She didn't know how else to say it without it feeling dirty.

“It's your vagina and it's not a dirty word. God help your parents for making you think sex is so dirty.”

“You have a little button down there called your clit Mags. You just need to find some alone time and really discover yourself.”

“You still haven't answered my question,”Maggie rose her brow.

“ An orgasm? It's a massive explosion and every part of you comes unglued and if the guy does it right, you'll be seeing stars for weeks.”Jaz smiled.

Maggie looked at the other two. They nodded.”Sometimes I wonder why you guys are still around a girl like me.”

“You keep us grounded Mags. Don't ever change that. On the other hand, we're gonna need to get you a new wardrobe to get this man.”Deidre smiled.

“That's the easy part. I don't even know how to make a man happy.”

“First off Maggie. He's gonna be over the top that you want to get naked with him but every man is different. They come in ALL shapes and sizes like we do so it's just a matter of learning THEIR bodies the way they do ours. And if they're good to you, they'll tell you what what they want but you have to do the same.”

“I don't even know how to give a blow job you guys!”

“That's not gonna matter the first time if this guy is what I think he is,”Camille answered.”Let's just get you the date first though okay?”

“If we even make it through one.”

“Stop it Mags! There's somebody for everybody out there. Your parents may not be the ideal example of marriage but something has kept them together for thirty five years right?”

“True. Let's do this then.”

They spent the rest of the evening giggling and being girls; eventually finding the perfect makeup combination for Maggie's features. The rest would come later.






Monday morning, Maggie took up her usual residence in the coffee shop with a brand new look and attitude. Of course she was a jumble of nerves wondering if he would even take the time to notice her.

She was hitting the keys pretty hard and heard the bell on the door signal another entrance. He was there. Why did her heart speed up so every time he appeared? She was definitely attracted to him. She'd have to check with Camille on that one. She knew this was hard for her friends too. They had lives to lead but she knew they'd be there if she needed them. Her cell sat next to her computer. The little pixie dust noise she chose for text notifications went off. She picked it up and looked down to see the message.

“Where is he?”

It was Camille's number. She was confused now.”Where are you?”

“Look over to the right,”she replied. Camille waved. Oh God! This was not good. Scratch that. If it was Jaz or Deidre they would have had him sniffed out already. Even approached him.

“What are you doing here?”

“Helping you. Now which one is he?”

“He just got up to the counter.”

It took Camille a minute to reply and it turned Maggie's face beet red.”You're right. He does have a cute ass. VERY squeezable! ;-)”

“So now what?”

“Does he have one of those fancy concoctions like you?”

“Yeah. Why?”

“Damn! Hold up. Man approaching you! Call me later!”


She looked up from her phone to find him standing there. Holy Toledo! His eyes were bluer than she'd imagined.


“Hi.”

A simple little word and nerve wracking all in one sweep. He walked into the shop that morning and couldn't take his eyes off her. He knew she was the same girl but she'd changed. Not so much that he didn't still find her irresistible. Her blouse was a smidge lower cut and as he approached, he noticed the amount of leg she was showing from the knee length skirt was wearing.

He'd been looking forward to Monday morning all weekend long. Is that really such a terrible thing?


“Hi,” she replied softly.


So sweet.”Mind if I sit for a minute while I wait for my order?”

“Um, sure.” She returned to whatever she was doing on her computer before he approached.

“Must be pretty good,” He commented as she continued to type away.

“It's just work that has to be done before I get there.”

“So what is it you do?”

“Venti Mocha,” the barista called his order.

“That's me,”He told her.”It was nice meeting you?” Hoping to get her attention if only briefly.

“Maggie,”she offered up.

Couldn't be.”It was nice meeting you Maggie.” The barista called out yet again.” I'm Brian. I 'll see you tomorrow.”
Chapter 4 by Simple Sue
There she sat. Her usual place. He never thought he'd look so forward to a cup of coffee in the morning like he did. She was the reason. She wasn't like other women. And when he introduced himself yesterday, she didn't react like he would have expected. He was used to most of them knowing who he was. It was refreshing to say the least. Maybe the reason he was so intrigued with her. Then there was her name. Surely she couldn't be the online romance he was carrying on. He pushed that coincidence out of his head and waited for his coffee. He was so distracted with her, he barely heard the call for his order coming up. She smiled shyly when she caught him staring at her. He couldn't help it.

And her beauty wasn't all on the outside. Those eyes hidden by the glasses held more than he could imagine at this point. He approached her and said,”Maggie right?”

She looked up from her computer screen. Wow! He remembered. Maybe it was working. She had to do this on her own and prayed she didn't fall flat on her face.”Yes,” she replied quietly.” Brian, right?”

“Yes. Is it okay if I join you?”

Closing the lid on her laptop, her hearting racing wildly.”I'd like that.” Pushing it to the side and taking a sip of her java chip frappucino.

“So what is you're working on every day when I see you typing away on that thing?” As he sat his drink on the table.

Easy question Maggie. He's just making conversation.”Sometimes it's work and sometimes it's just surfing the web.”

“So what do you do for work?”

Here comes the big turn off. Get ready for him to run.”I work in a library.”

Taking a sip of his coffee, he smiled and said,”So you were typing up what exactly yesterday?”

He's still interested. Okay.”I was working on some ideas for our children's weekly story corner. Ever week there's a different theme.”

“I bet you have some great ideas.” She blushed slightly. He was used to women doing that but for different reasons. Like nobody had ever told her she had talent.

“I don't know about that.”

“The kids enjoy them don't they?”

“Yes.”

“Then that's all that matters.”


She was baffled. He was actually interested in mousy little her? Then again, that's what she wanted right? ”They are pretty happy when they leave and the mothers are always complimenting me on how their children respond to me.”She never opened up that much to any man so soon. What was it about him that made her feel she could share even that much?

“Maybe I'll have to check out one of your story hours.” He knew she wasn't like other girls but that seemed like a place to start. Her comfort zone. She was shy. He knew that but to what extent was she?

“Maybe.” She smiled. She was starting to relax a little

His phone rang and he turned his wrist to look at the time.”Excuse me would you?” And took the call.

At least he was polite about it.

When he turned back, she knew he was going to have to leave.”I'm really sorry Maggie but I'm going to have to cut this short. I have an appointment I completely forgot about. Same time tomorrow?” He suggested with that warm, genuine smile of his.

She returned his smile.”I'll be here.”

“I'll see you then,”he said and left her there.


She let out all the breath she'd been holding in and dialed Camille's number.

“You didn't call me yesterday.”

“I know I'm sorry but we talked today. Actually talked!” Maggie squealed.

“Okay. You just got girlie. I don't know you,”she teased her friend.

“This is a serious breakthrough Cam. He knows what I do for a living and is still interested. This is huge!”

“I know Mags. But what happened yesterday?”

“I don't know. He came over to join me and left when his order was up but said he would see me today. And he did! He's so sweet Camille. I hope I'm not getting too jacked up too soon.”

“Mags, I saw the look in his eye yesterday. He wants to KNOW you.”

“You think?”

“Oh yeah. Just take it slow and before you know it you'll have that date.”

“I know this is weird to you guys. Thank you for being there for me.”

“It's what you pay us for. Now get to work cuz I have to before my boss gets suspicious.”

“Sorry.”

“It's okay. I'm excited for you really. We'll talk tonight okay?”

“Thanks again. Catch you later!” She said as they both hung up. She smiled as she packed her things up. What a way to start the day. Could life get any better?
Chapter 5 by Simple Sue
It had been four of the most wonderful days of her life but the weekend was quickly approaching. Two whole days she wouldn't get to talk to him. Look into those beautiful blue eyes as they shared the previous day's events. She still had no idea what he did but he was very real and she was starting to feel a twinge of guilt every time she talked to her 'boyfriend' online. It's not like they had any ties. They hadn't even met in public so in all truth it wasn't cheating. She was so torn but knew she wouldn't feel right if she didn't tell him soon.

She finished loading her dishwasher then grabbed a diet Dr. Pepper from the refrigerator before settling down in front of her laptop on the kitchen table. If this guy could only see her in her baggy pink sweats and oversized T-shirt, hair pulled up in a ponytail. All this work just to get the attention of a man. She needed her comfort clothes at night and her friends just rolled their eyes. It was the one thing she wouldn’t give in on. She popped the top on the can and flipped the screen up. 7:45 on the dot. Taking a deep breath, she signed in. The guy was punctual because there was a box on the screen already.


BTL220: Where are you Maggie? I’m waiting…..patiently :)
Ladybug55: Hey! I’m here now. How are you?
BTL220: Long day. How was yours?
Ladybug55: The same old, same old.


But it wasn’t. Her life was changing. How could she tell him without hurting his feelings? It was going to happen no matter when she did it.


BTL220: You know what they say about all work and no play. :p
Ladybug55: You think I don’t have any fun?
BTL220: I didn’t say that but you could prove me wrong.
Ladybug55: How?
BTL220: Meet me for coffee in the morning.


He knew he was taking a risk by asking her for coffee but maybe he should have her meet him at another Starbuck’s. It’s not like there isn’t not one on every corner. He waited for her answer.

Time to break the poor boy’s heart. Here we go.


Ladybug55: I think there’s something you should know.
BTL220: You don’t like men.
Ladybug55: LOL It’s not that. I…it’s just that I met someone. And I really like him.
BTL220:Oh.
Ladybug55: I’m so sorry. I feel bad now.
BTL220: Meet me anyway. We can still be friends can’t we?


He wasn’t mad. Wow. Okay.


Ladybug55: Okay. Where?
BTL220: You’re not just humoring me are ya?
Ladybug55: No. I’d like to meet you. You’re a nice guy. So few of you out there.
BTL220:We are a rare breed. :) So what’s your favorite color?
Ladybug55: Um…..Peach. Why?
BTL220: I’ll have to have something with me so you know how to identify me.
Ladybug55: Okay.
BTL220: A peach colored rose it is.


So after he told her where to meet him she realized that she wouldn’t be getting to see her real live potential man tomorrow. The anticipation would kill him as much as it would her. Three days. That seemed like forever but she wasn’t one to go back on her word. One good thing her parents instilled in her. Now she had to find something to wear. Oh God! She was becoming one of them. It was a good thing right? Of course. You’re supposed to want to look your best at all times. She’d just never thought of it until now. She settled on a knee length floral print skirt with a cabbage hem and a peach colored blouse to go with it. Her white pumps would work nicely with that. So that was out of the way.

Should she be nervous? No! He’s just a friend after all. You have a few of those she reminded herself as she grabbed the book off her bedside table. She reached over and set her alarm knowing she had a tendency to fall asleep reading. She settled under the covers and lost herself in yet another historical romance.




He looked at his watch one more time to make sure he wasn’t too early. He was going to wait until she arrived to order. It was the polite thing to do after all. He knew he shouldn’t be nervous but she had got under his skin just like Maggie at the other Starbuck’s. Sure he was dying to see her but he knew he had to put this behind him before he moved on with her. Maybe she overslept. Or maybe she was just pretending to be a nice girl then decided you weren’t worth the time and effort. Stop it! She’ll be here. He turned his wrist to look at the time just as she walked in the door.

She searched the shop and when her eyes landed on the owner of the rose, her heart stopped. It couldn’t be.

His eyes met hers. Could it be?
Chapter 6 by Simple Sue
He’d been doing all the approaching and that’s the way it was supposed to be but it was him. He was her online boyfriend? She should go to him right? Good grief! Where were her friends when she needed them? Oh right, they had jobs they had to get to. Let him come to you. He would wouldn’t he? He was just standing there. He was disappointed. Should have known better than to get her hopes up.

Move you moron! She’s going to leave! He moved as quickly as he could and caught her just as she was getting ready to open the door. “Where you going?”

“To work.”

“I know for a fact it’s still too early for that just from the time you spend at the other shop.”

“Yeah but you’re not here to meet me.”

“I’m here to meet the girl that told me her favorite color was peach.”

“Now that you have?” Maggie’s eyes finally rose to meet his. She didn’t think her heart could beat any faster.

“First of all, we need to get out of the doorway.”

She smiled shyly then followed him out of the path of the door. “Secondly, for you.” Handing her the rose. He watched as she inhaled the delicate fragrance and smiled. His heart skipped a beat. He’d been falling in love with the same girl that he’d been watching at the coffee shop for months. “And last but not least, what would you like to drink?”

“A tall java chip frappucino.”

“Don’t you usually get the grande?”

She blushed. He noticed.” Yeah.”

“Then that’s what you’ll have this morning. I’ll be right back.”

The girls were never going to believe this. She still didn’t believe it. She picked up the rose where it lay on the table and lifted it to her nose. As she drew away the lovely scent, she admired it’s beauty. Roses were always beautiful but this one came from his heart. The man she’d been falling for through a computer was the very real one she’d been watching walk past her for months in the coffee shop. It meant something to him (even if it was only a friendly gesture). Now it meant something to her. It meant that sight unseen, he’d fallen for her. A woman he thought had no further interest in him other than friendship.

“Here we go. One grande java chip frappucino and a mocha for me,” He stated as he sat the drink in front of her then took a seat across from her. They sat quietly. Both unsure of what to say. He knew somebody had to say something. Then her phone went off.

“Excuse me,” she said and got up from the table. It was Camille.

“I need an update lady. What’s going on with Mr. Wonderful?”

“It’s happening right now. Can I call you back tonight?”

“Sure. It better be good.”

“Trust me . It will be. Talk to you later.” She hung up on Camille and returned to the table. “Sorry about that.”

“So was that the uh new friend?” He didn’t want to be an ass but he had to know.

“No.” Confession time. “That guy I was telling you about last night?”

He nodded.

“That guy was you. Only I didn’t know it was you until this morning.”

“I have a confession myself. I was starting to fall for someone else too.”

“Oh.”

“Maggie.” He gently took her hand.” I was in the same boat. Had no idea it was you until you walked through that door. I was stunned that the same person I’d been sharing all my secrets with online was the same girl I’d been passing by every day in the Starbuck’s. The one I finally found the courage to say two words to.”

“You don’t seem at too much of a loss now,” she remarked lightly.

“Neither are you. “

“I’m not very brave either.”

“You showed up this morning.” He smiled.” Why don’t we make it two for two and I take you out to lunch?”

“I only get a half an hour.”

“Then I’ll bring lunch to you. Is that okay?”

“Sure.” And just like that, she had her first date with the cute boy from the coffee shop.
Chapter 7 by Simple Sue
Lunch was incredible. He brought another rose. Actually two. Peach again. At the rate things were going , he was going to be carrying a dozen of them to her by the end of the week. It was sweet but it was time for a consult with the girls. After lunch with Brian, she sent a text message out to Camille, Jaz and Deidre asking them to meet her for happy hour. Not as uptight as you think she is. Alcohol was the first thing she tried once she got out into the ‘big, bad world’. Everything can be done in moderation. She learned that lesson all too well after the first frat party the girls took her to. Camille seemed to be the one always coming to her rescue. Thank goodness for that or her very virtue would no longer be where it is today. That was a good thing right? Had to see how things turned out after the ‘official’ first date. Technically, they’d been on two if she was counting. So far, so good.

She arrived a few minutes earlier than the others and she’d had a few eyes on her before the others got there. Wasn’t bothering her so much this time. Brian was the only man she was interested in at this point.

“Hey Mags! This must be serious. You started without us,”Jaz teased as the waitress came to take their order.

“Actually I didn’t. The guy over at the end of the bar sent it.”

“And he has friends! Way to go girl!” Deidre congratulated her.

“He’s gonna be disappointed when he finds out he ain’t getting any.”

“So what’s going on with the cutie from the coffee shop?” Camille interrupted as the other two flirted shamelessly across the bar from their table. “Girls! Later! Maggie asked us here to help her.”

“Sorry but damn he’s cute Mags!” Jasmine commented.

“So coffee shop cutie you were having coffee with this morning?”

Maggie took a sip of her drink then answered Camille.” You’re not going to believe this.”

“Try us.”

“The guy I’ve been talking to online?”

“Yeah?” The other two leaned in.

“He’s the cutie at the coffee shop.”

“Hold on. How do you know this?” Jasmine said.

“We were talking last night online when I told him there was somebody else. He was disappointed but he asked to meet still at another coffee shop saying we could be friends and I was like okay. Then he asks me what my favorite color is and I tell him.” She pauses and takes another sip of her tropical colored drink.

“And?” Jasmine said.

“So I go to meet him and come to find out online boyfriend is

“The coffee shop cutie. That is so cool Maggie,” Camille interrupted then finished.

“He brought a peach colored rose so I could find him. Then he brought me lunch at work and before I went back , he asked me to dinner tomorrow night.”

“So what’s the problem?” Deidre said.

“Seriously? When was the last time I was on a date?” Maggie glared at her friend. “You go out three nights a week at least and get laid at least one out of them.”

Camille and Jaz’s jaws dropped. Deidre was right along with them.

“I’m sorry but I meet a guy I really like and you don’t give two blinks about it. I’m supposed to just drop my life every time you meet Mr. Wonderful. If you don’t want to help, don’t bother. I’ve got plenty with Jaz and Camille.”

“God Mags! I was just kidding. You really like this guy don’t you?” Deidre apologized.

“I do. I wish this stuff came to me as easy as it does to you guys but it doesn’t. My Mother made me fear men. Why? I don’t know . I guess she figured my brother could give her grandchildren .”


“Chill Maggie. You’re our girl. We want you to be just as happy as we are. So we’re going to be supportive.” Camille directed her statement toward Deidre.

“Why do you always look at me when you say things like that?” Deidre huffed.

“Because you’re the one that always drags her feet when it comes to helping Maggie. I’ve seen this guy. He’s really cute and he really likes her.”

“So we’re not talking Brad Pitt hot here or nothing?” Jasmine said.

“You know, just forget it! I’ll figure it out and lose another one and grow old with five cats to keep me company!” Maggie said and grabbed her purse; frustrated. Why should they help? God forbid she ever have a man! She made it outside the front door before Camille caught up to her.

“Maggie come on! You know those two. They don’t mean it,” Camille attempted to reassure her but she was already in tears.

“They do too! I want to do it right this time Cam. I know everything takes time but I’m thirty years old and I’m afraid to let a man touch me below the waist. I finally meet one that I want to let do that and all those two can think about is getting laid themselves. I want something real. To know that a man wants something more than what’s on the surface. Is that so wrong?”

“Not at all. I’m gonna call Dave and I’m gonna help you. I’ll go get my purse and Jaz and De can do whatever they want. They forget what it’s like to fall in love. WE’RE going to show them what romance is all about. Just you wait! I’ll be right back.” Camille smiled at her.

At least she had one friend that understood. She swiped the tears from her face and started pulling herself together when she heard her phone go off. Probably just Camille letting her know she’d be a little longer. She pulled it out of her purse to find it was him. Well, he had to have her number so he could get directions to her place.

“Hey Maggie. “

“Hi.”

“Would it be too forward of me to tell you I called just because I wanted to hear your voice?”

She giggled. “ Then maybe I’d be out of line to tell you that I missed yours.”

He chuckled. “So I’ll see you tomorrow night at eight then?”

“Unless you’ve changed your mind.”

“Now why would I leave a beautiful girl like you all alone on a Saturday night ?”

She could feel the heat rising in her cheeks. She was glad that he couldn’t see her at that point. But Camille could. Damn!” Call me tomorrow and I’ll give you directions.”

“Do you have to go so soon?” Tomorrow wouldn’t be soon enough. He wanted to keep her on the line for as long as he could tonight.


“My girlfriend is waiting for me. I probably should.”

“Tomorrow it is then. You have a good time with your friend.”

Lord he was so sweet! “Thank you. I’ll see you tomorrow night Brian.”

“I’ll be counting the hours Maggie, “He replied as they hung up.

Camille just stared at Maggie.

“What?” Maggie said.

“I don’t know why you think you have such trouble with men. From my side it sounded like he was eating out of the palm of your hand.”

Maggie smiled shyly.

“Why’d he call?”

“To tell me that he missed my voice.”

“Oh girlie. He’s got it bad.”

“Really?”

“You don’t need any advice. You just need to be yourself.”
Chapter 8 by Simple Sue
Maggie was putting the final touches on her make up when her cell phone went off. She put the blush brush down and looked at the caller ID. Deidre. She swiped it to unlock and hit accept then speaker.

“Hey Mags. Got a minute?” Deidre inquired.

“I’m getting ready for my date but we can talk.”

“Actually I’ve got Jaz here with me too.”

“Hey Maggie!” She said.

They must have had speaker on as well. “ Hey Jaz. What’s going on guys? My date is going to be here in fifteen minutes.”

“About last night. We’re sorry. We were just trying to lighten the mood. It was in bad taste.
If this guy is really everything you want, we’ll be there for you.”

“Thank you. So why aren’t you guys out tonight?”

“We’re giving the male species a break,” Jasmine said as she laughed.

Maggie returned her laughter. “You don’t have dates?”

“More like they don’t have us. It’s girl’s night in. You have a good time Mags and we want to hear all about it before services in the morning okay?”

“De?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m gonna do okay right?” She knew she shouldn’t be nervous just from what Camille said last night but she was. She didn’t want to screw it up.

“You’re going to be fine girl. Have fun!” She wasn’t sure because she only had what she’d been told to go on but the way Maggie talked about him, she was sure the guy was crazy about her friend.
“Thanks De.”

“Anytime girlie. Talk to you later.” And hung up.

Maggie took one last look in the mirror as she draped the gold chain around her neck. It was a horseshoe charm that Camille gave her for her twenty first birthday and it always seemed to bring her good luck. She prayed that it would do the same for her tonight. She grabbed her phone and turned the bathroom light off. She found her shoes then pulled up the time on her phone. Five minutes to spare. That’s if he was on time. Please God let him be on time! She didn’t think her nerves could handle it if he was late. Her dating history proved that. She turned some music on in hopes it would calm her. It did. For about two seconds when the knock on the door came. Thank goodness he was on time. She slid her pumps on and took a deep breath before opening the door. There they were. Three peach colored roses. “Hi.”


Breathtaking. The only word he could find to describe the way she looked. “I’m not too early am I?”

She giggled. “Right on time. Come on in and I’ll get these in some water before we leave.” She told him this after accepting the flowers. The music was still playing in the background as she arranged the three individual flowers in a small vase.

He heard the music that was playing in the background. One of his songs. Well the group’s that is. She really had no idea who he was. He would have to tell her eventually. Maybe at the end of the night. “Maggie?”

Her eyes lifted up when she replied, “Yes?”

“We never did talk about what I do for a living did we?”

“I don’t think so. I figured you ‘d tell me when you thought the time was right, “She said as she slipped her shoes on then turned the music off.

“You’re okay with that?

“You tell me whenever you’re ready,” She said; grabbing her purse from the table by the door.

“So there will be a second date then,” he teased but he realized it was his nerves taking over. Maggie was so different tonight.

“If you play nice there will be,” she returned. Okay that was just not her. It’s like she was channeling Jaz or Deidre. “Shall we?” She swung the door open with her key in hand. Maybe it was because she was in her home where she was comfortable but technically they’d got past the first and second dates. It was nice to know his nerves were teetering on the edge too.


Dinner was a success but this was the part where things got tricky for her. If there were any possibility of another date, this was do or die time. It’d had been three hours of food, pleasant conversation and hand holding. Yes. Hand holding. He was the perfect gentlemen. He opened doors and held her chair out for her even. She’d never had a date like this before. Too good to be true? She hoped not. They walked hand in hand to her door. She pulled her key out and turned it in the lock . She still hadn’t let go of his other hand. It fit so perfectly it had to be right. She didn’t want to let go. Not this one. “I had a wonderful time tonight Brian. Thank you,”she said and gently pressed a kiss against his cheek.

“Maggie?” He said as her eyes came back to make contact with his.

“Yes?”

He knew he should just do it but he also knew that Maggie was the kind of girl that was worth the wait.” I had a nice time too. Would it be too forward of me to ask you for a goodnight kiss?”

She was anticipating him telling her this just wasn’t going to work and wow! He was asking to kiss her? Could her heart beat any faster? She nodded. She couldn’t find the words.

He pushed the hair away from her face; his hands resting against her cheeks. His lips gently brushed against hers. He couldn’t believe she’d actually let him. He thought this would be more like the second or third time they ‘officially’ went out. He counted too. Her lips were so soft and delicate yet he didn’t feel like he was consuming her. Her hands pressed against his chest as he turned up the volume slightly.


God his lips felt so good and his body so close. Good grief! She felt so warm and tingly in the places she’d thought were wrong to feel that way. She let him lead only so far because she could feel herself losing control with such a PG-13 kiss. No tongue but just the way the leading man holds the heroine. The kind of kiss you wait for all your life. Not wanting to but she did so and met his gaze. “ I should let you go.”

“I don’t want to let you go.” His lips met hers again as he held her tighter. He knew he wasn’t wrong in feeling what he felt because he knew she was feeling it too.

“Brian.” She gently eased out of his arms and said,” I don’t want you to go but I think you should.”

He brushed the hair from her face one more time and gently kissed her one last time.” I’ll call you after church tomorrow?”

“Works for me. Goodnight.” She smiled then kissed him on the cheek before letting go of his hand and turning to the door. She tossed her keys on the table as she slid out of her shoes. That kiss was incredible. Should say kisses. He said he would call! NONE of them ever said that before. He was going to call. She was sure of it!
Chapter 9 by Simple Sue
Cloud nine couldn’t be high enough to describe where Maggie was at the next morning. She hardly slept two winks as it was. She turned over in the sheets and looked at the digital red numbers on her alarm clock. Services were at ten and it was 7:20. She rest her head back against the pillow and thought of him. There was that warm, tingly sensation again. Her friends had said she had to learn what made her feel good right? She was a good girl and she shouldn’t do things like that yet she felt her hand moving between her legs when she heard her cell phone go off. Saved by the bell! She lifted it out of her charger and swiped over it after she saw who it was. “Morning Cam.”

“I didn’t wake you did I?”

“No. I couldn’t sleep.”

“ It must have been a good date.”

“Thanks to your advice it was.”

“He’s not there is he?”

“Camille!” Maggie protested.

“Mags! Settle down. It was a joke. I know you wouldn’t do that but did ANYTHING happen at all?”

“I kissed him on the cheek and thanked him then he took my hand and asked if he could kiss me.”

“Really?”

“Cam, it was amazing. You know I’ve kissed a few guys but nothing like this. Have you ever felt it long after the guy was gone?”

“The first time I kissed Dave.”

“He’s going to call this afternoon.”

“How do you know?”

“Because I’ve never had a man tell me he was going to call. Ever.”

“Sounds like you’ve got this one lady.”

Maggie’s phone beeped and she put Camille on hold for a second. “You do realize what time of day it is don’t you?”

She was met with silence.

“Hello?”

“I’m sorry. I’ll call back later.”

Brian. Crap!” Brian please don’t hang up.”

“It’s okay Maggie. I can call back later. I know it’s early.”

“Brian please. I just thought you were one of my girlfriends. I’m sorry.”

“I know it’s early but …..well, I didn’t get much sleep last night.”

“Brian can you hold on for a minute? ONE of my friends is on the other line.”

“Oh I see how it is. It’s okay for some of us to call this early,” he teased.

“I didn’t get much sleep last night,” She admitted then put him on hold. ”Camille?”

“What’s up Mags?” She answered.

“He’s on the other line.”

“He’s on the other line?! Oh my God . Go girl! I’ll talk to you later!” Camille said and hung up.

Maggie switched back over. “So where were we?”

“The reason you didn’t sleep last night,” he replied; hoping to hear her say it first.

“Nice try. I wanna hear why you couldn’t.”

“Honestly?”

“Yes.”

“ I couldn’t stop thinking about that goodnight kiss.” Oh great! Just send her running now. She’ll think that’s all that’s on your mind.

“Me neither,” Maggie returned; blushing profusely. Thank goodness he couldn’t see her right now. “So what are we going to do about it?”

“Go out on another date. Try it again?” He suggested.

“I don’t know. Could be risky but I guess I could give it a shot.”

She said yes! Let her pick the movie then.” So what kind of movies do you like?”

Something to snuggle with she mused. He seemed like a sensitive kind of guy so she was going to suggest a romance.” How do you feel about love stories?”

He was a guy. He was supposed to hate them but he was falling harder and harder for her every day. It was like he was living one of them now. A week ago he wouldn’t have believed it either.
“I won’t lie and say sign me up but I’m willing to give it a shot if I’m with you.”

Oh he’s definitely a keeper! Let’s hope he doesn’t run off the first time you tell him no.” Okay. Then let’s see that Zac Efron movie, The Lucky One.”

“Are you sure we’re seeing that for the romance?”

“There is a pretty girl in it too y’know.”

“Not as pretty as you.”

“And he’s got nothing on you. We can see something else if you want.” If he’s trying to win brownie points, he’s getting them in bundles.

“As long as I’m with you, that’s all that matters.”

Oh yeah. Definite brownie points. “So what time will you be picking me up then?”

“Well I know you have to work in the morning so let me check the times and I’ll send you a text. Sound good?”

“That works. I should get going. Get some breakfast and such before church.”

“I’ll see you tonight then Maggie. Goodbye.”

“Goodbye,” she said and hung up. It was going to be a good day.





When he arrived that evening, he was holding four peach roses when she invited him in. “If you keep this up I’m gonna have to buy more vases,” she teased him as she took them into the kitchen.

“I’ll just start bringing them in vases then.”

Man his smile was amazing! After setting them up, she said, “ I’m not quite ready. Give me five okay?”

“Okay but you look perfectly beautiful to me.”

Maggie blushed. “I’ll be back before you know it. If you want to listen to something else, feel free,” she offered as she walked away to her bedroom.

If she only knew she was listening to him he thought as he sat on the barstool at her breakfast bar. He started singing along to Welcome Home(you), unaware that she had returned to the room.

“You have an incredible voice,” Maggie commented.

He turned. It was time. He needed to tell her before it went any further. He got up and walked over to where she stood.” Maggie. You said I’d tell you what I do for a living when I was ready right?”

She nodded.

“Well, that song right there, that’s what I do.”

“That’s you?” Maggie said; confused.

“You had no idea?”

“No. One of the ladies I go to church with sent me that for my Ipod.”

“That’s not all. I have a group I sing with too. The Backstreet Boys?”

“I’m sorry Brian. I didn’t know what MTV was until I went to college. The only TV in my house was the one in the living room and we didn’t have cable. So that’s really you singing?”

He nodded. He wasn’t sure what she would do at that point. She was a nice girl and he didn’t want to put her in the limelight(well not so much these days but it still shone ) with him until he was absolutely sure of where they were going.

No wonder she’d been falling for him all along. That voice was heavenly. It was almost as if God had finally answered her prayers.” So your group?”

“Just like brothers. We’ve been a group for seventeen years now.”

“So they’re just like your family?”

“So you’re not mad I didn’t tell you before?”

“No. Now I understand why,” she replied and softly kissed him. “We should get going so we’re not late for the movie.”

“Yeah I wouldn’t want to miss those previews,” he joked. Thank you Jesus. Please don’t let me screw it up this time he prayed.
Chapter 10 by Simple Sue
There’s a lot to be said for a good romantic movie but the best part is when she snuggles up against you. He knew Maggie wasn’t going to be the kind of girl that wanted to jump into bed after three dates. She had a certain innocence about her . It was one of the many things that drew him to her. And when he kissed her for the first time, he felt something he’d never felt in his life. It was more than physical. She was getting a piece of his heart.

So yeah, he’d been married once, almost twice but they never gave him the feeling Maggie had. He was beginning to realize he was in love with idea of falling in love ,settling down and raising a family with the right girl like his Father had. Their marriage wasn’t perfect by any means but he learned that it’s something you have to work at if it was going to last. Maybe that was it. He just hadn’t found that thing he’d wanted to last. Until now.

Beauty is in the eye they say and until they started talking, he could tell Maggie was one of those girls that didn’t think she was beautiful. It was all he could to keep his hand from sliding down over her shoulder once she lifted the armrest and put her head on his shoulder. That soft pink sweater of hers was doing things to his body that only his hand had been doing for him. She didn’t even have a clue.

So there they were at her door again. The part that conflicted him the most. He didn’t want to leave and after now knowing what it felt like to have her lips on his, he definitely didn’t want the evening to end.

“You didn’t have to see that movie you know,” Maggie said and turned back to him after unlocking her door.

“I believe we discussed that. I liked it.”

“You’re just saying that.”

“I mean it. I thought it was going to be one of those sappy boy meets girl and falls madly in love.”
She didn’t want him to go but she knew she had to let him go if there was going to be another date. She hoped there would be. His eyes connected with hers and if she were anything like her friends, she’d be dragging him and his cute little butt through that door but she wasn’t. “Brian,” she said as she put her arms around his neck.

“Yes Maggie?”

“I think there’s something you should know about me.”

She felt his arms slide around her middle and it was all she could do to summon up the courage to tell him about her dating history. More like the lack thereof. “This is the first second date I’ve ever been on.”

He was quiet for a minute. “But you have been on dates.”

“Yeah and I’m pretty sure you’ve figured out by now why I haven’t had any second dates.”

“It was their loss to not stick around and see your true beauty.”

She wasn’t used to men telling her she was pretty and any other time she would have pulled away but she took the lead and kissed him. Not those hungry and powerfully passionate things you see in movies but it certainly felt knee buckling as he pulled her tighter against his body. It’s like he knew what level to keep it at and the same time keep the fire burning. She read romance novels. Nowhere near this good. As their lips drew apart, she knew they weren’t finished.

If she were like any other woman he’d known in his life, he’d have pushed that unlocked door open and found the way to her bedroom. All the sensations of wanting to be in a bed were there. You’d better believe it! His lips touching hers; needing to feel more of her mouth. He was so nervous about doing anything but the way her fingers felt as they threaded through his hair, he decided to push a little further. His tongue slid between her lips and she readily accepted his invitation. For a girl that felt like she hadn’t had much experience, his body was sure reacting to every twist and turn their tongues took. It would be so easy to stay this connected to her all night but being the gentleman he was, he pulled away and said, “ I think it’s time I go Maggie.”

She was confused. She was sure he was enjoying what they were doing. She felt his body doing something she’d never felt a man’s body do and wondered if she’d done something wrong. “Is everything okay Brian?”

Oh lord! She really has no idea what she’s done. She really was that innocent. Taking her face in his hands, he replied, “Everything is fine. I’ll call you tomorrow. I promise.”
“Okay. Goodnight,” she said and softly kissed him before he left. She turned and opened the door. Prayer was becoming a big part of this relationship because she looked to the heavens and prayed that she hadn’t screwed up.



She avoided the coffee shop the next morning just because she was still unsure of what she’d done to practically send Brian running the night before . Question being, why did he leave so quickly? She figured he would at least text when she didn’t show up for her morning cup. No text. Nothing. Great! You ran this one off too Maggie. Congratulations! She sat in the break room and picked apart the sandwich she’d brought. This was a first. She couldn’t even eat her stomach was so in knots.

“Knock, knock. They told me you were in here Mags,” Deidre announced as she entered the room.

“Hey De,” she said; barely acknowledging her friend’s presence. She returned to picking at the bread.

Deidre took a seat beside Maggie and grabbed her hands. “You’re not eating Maggie. What’s going on? I thought life was good.”

“It was until I screwed up again last night,” she replied; looking up at her friend with a solemn expression on her face.

“It can’t be that bad. According to Camille, this guy is nuts about you.”

“I thought so too.”

“What happened?”

“Well……”she started blushing.

“Mags. I’m your friend. I’ve told you a lot of stuff I probably shouldn’t have. You didn’t sleep with him?”

“God no De! But when we were kissing goodnight, he was holding me pretty tight and I felt something pressing against my lower regions that I’ve never felt before.”

Deidre was quite for a minute.

“What?”

“Mags, he didn’t leave because you were doing anything wrong. That boy was sporting wood and was being a gentleman by leaving.”

“You mean he was aroused?”

“If that’s what works for you but seriously Maggie, that boy wants to take you bed.”

“So that’s what it feels like?”

“Did you like it?”

“It made me warm and tingly all over.”

“But especially downstairs right?”

She blushed.”Yeah.”

“Femininity is a great power. Use it wisely. Can I ask what you were wearing last night?”

“My pink angora.”

“God girl! No wonder he wanted you like nobody’s business. Don’t worry Mags. You did nothing wrong. When a guy knows he’s got a good thing, he’ll wait however long it takes to get there. He’ll call you tonight. I’m sure of it.”

“Thanks De. I’m sorry I didn’t call you yesterday.”

“It’s okay. I understand but I should get back to work myself so I’ll catch you later okay?”

Maggie got up and hugged her friend. “Thanks for not laughing this time.”

“I’m sorry I did. I forget what it’s like to have all those unfamiliar feelings it’s been so long ago. Don’t do anything until you’re absolutely sure about this guy okay?”

“I got it. Thanks again.”

“Anytime.”

Maggie watched her friend leave then sat back down and looked at her phone. There was a text message.

Missed you for coffee this morning. Are you free for dinner tonight?


She took a deep breath and replied, “What time?”
Chapter 11 by Simple Sue
Holding the vase in one hand, he rings her doorbell; nervously anticipating what he should say or if he should say anything at all about last night when the door swings open .

Taking a deep breath, Maggie smoothed her blouse. The butterflies swarmed in her stomach as she took one last look in the mirror. De said she should go casual so jeans and a soft, pale yellow blouse was her choice. When she opened the door, the look in his eyes left her breathless.” Hi Brian. Come on in.”

“It’s amazing how much more beautiful you look each time I see you,” he complimented her as he stepped inside. “These are for you . I even brought a vase this time.” He was still slightly anxious.

She allowed a small smile to creep across her lips. “Thank you Brian. They’re beautiful.”
On the surface, she appeared to be calm and collected but on the inside she was a nervous wreck. Why did she want to just drop the flowers and kiss him again? Was it normal? Had she deprived herself for so long that all she wanted to do was play catch up and feel all those things he could make her feel?

So far, so good. Oh God he couldn’t take it anymore! He’d behaved himself long enough. When she turned back to him, their lips connected when he pulled her into his arms. He knew he should have played it safe but too late now. He didn’t make it too long. Just long enough to let her know that he missed her.

His kiss surprised her but not in a bad way. She loved how his back felt under her hands. How his lips felt pressed against hers. That funny tingling returning between her thighs. She squirmed against him in an attempt to ease the ache that was forming. Their lips parted slightly. “Wow.”

“I second that emotion.” The tension had finally lifted. He didn’t want to let her go so he gently eased his embrace; his arms still wrapped around her waist. “About last night. I need you to know that I left because of me.”

She blushed profusely.” I thought I did something wrong.”

He removed one arm from her waist and tilted her chin back up to face him. “It would have been wrong if I asked to stay. I know we’re not there but we will be one day. When YOU’RE ready.”

She smiled at the thought of there being a someday. “I’m glad you called. I hope you like Italian. I’ve got Chicken Parmesan in the oven. Should be done any time now.”

“I saved my appetite especially for you.” He realized what he said the minute the words passed through his lips but it didn’t seem to phase her. “ He kissed her one more time before letting her go. “I couldn’t help myself. I love how soft your lips are Maggie.”

She blushed yet again. She knew exactly what he had said but chose not to dwell on it because they might not make it through dinner if she had. “I like yours too.” Shaking off the fog she was in. “Would you like a glass of wine?”

He pretended not to notice the shade of pink her cheeks had become. “ That would be nice.”


Dinner turned out great. Thank goodness! She didn’t have a lot of time to prepare but it worth every rushed minute she spent when he told her that dinner was exquisite.” Cooking is what I’m good at. I do it well.”

“Maggie darlin’. Please don’t say things like that.”

“Like what?” She replied innocently. Oh fudge! She screwed up again! She just knew it.

“What you just said.” She really had no idea that what she said had an amorous effect on his body. Lord did it ever. He was trying to use all those old tricks to deflate the situation going on his pants but her innocence was more of a turn on than he could have possibly imagined. There really is no innuendo in there unless you’re looking for it and maybe he just let his mind wander there because he wanted to be with her so bad it hurt.

“What did I say?”

Instead of trying to explain it to her, his eyes connected with hers like they did when he first walked in. His lips brushed hers softly as they sat there on her couch. They sat there learning one another as their soft little kiss had intensified and their tongues became part of a very intimate dance.

She really had no idea what she’d said but maybe she needed to say it again because the whole scene had spiraled out of control. She laid beneath him on the couch in a sensation overload she was sure her friends had been through more time than they could count but was all so very new to her. Very much enjoying the feeling of his body over hers; connected with hers. She really needed to get a handle on that warm and tingly thing. Maybe he needed to? She didn’t know. She knew there were things going on inside her that she had no clue as if they should be going on. She just knew some of them felt better. Like this. His lips moving down along her neck. Sighs coming from her lips as he did.

He was going to have to stop if he wanted to make it through another night with her but Mercy did she feel good as she wriggled beneath him. How delicately her hands skimmed over his back. How they just fit! Their tongues twisting and God help him she knew how to kiss! One thing she was very GOOD at but it was her hand moving to a place he didn’t think would go for a long time that stopped him. Her grip was firm enough to send the man downstairs into overdrive. He drew out of their kiss breathless and the look of confusion showed on her face yet again. “We’ve got to stop Maggie.”

“Brian please don’t do this again.” She blew it. Her hand moved too far and he didn’t like it.

“Maggie I can’t stay. I know you think you’re ready for this but I only want to be with you when your heart’s ready.”

How did he know it wasn’t? Oh right, because she wasn’t sure where her heart was with him. There were feelings involved that undeniably she wanted to feel again but she wasn’t going to go against what she felt morally. Still it hurt and he was going to see that all too soon if he didn’t just leave. Maybe her heart was already involved. She nodded in response as he moved off of her and to the other end of the couch. The sniffles were starting and she needed to get it under control. Too late. She felt the first tear slide down her cheek and she knew he saw it.

“Maggie, please don’t cry,” he requested of her as he moved down next to her then lifted her chin.

“I know you think I don’t know what I’m feeling but I do know and I want to feel it with you.”

He tilted her chin up to look at him. “And I want that more than anything in the world myself darlin but we’ve only been doing this out in the real world for a couple of weeks. I’m not going anywhere. Don’t worry about it. I’m not all those other guys that ran away the minute you said no. I’m the one saying no here. I’ll be here when it’s time and we’ll know together when it is okay?”

“Okay.”

“You’re going to be okay right?”

“Yeah.”

“Good. Yours is the only heart I won’t ever break.”

“Promise?” She smiled; the tears slowly drying up.

“I promise. I’ll call you tomorrow.” Placing a chaste kiss on her forehead because he knew if his lips met hers again, he couldn’t be held responsible. As he drove home that evening ,so many thoughts swarmed through his head. Then he landed on the one that hit the hardest. The reason Maggie was so cautious and fragile was because she’d never been with a man. Period.
Chapter 12 by Simple Sue
Two days had passed but they were still meeting at the coffee shop every morning. He’d even ordered her favorite that morning. They held hands and shared a few kisses but nothing as grand as what happened on her couch. Nothing that stellar had ever happened on her couch. Heck, nothing that incredible had ever happened in her apartment. It was so hard to leave him every morning but she was really falling for him.
That’s all it could be. All the emotions she felt, she had only read about in books or heard about from her friends. In fact, she was almost late for work yesterday because she couldn’t say goodbye. She saw him look at his wrist then into her eyes.

“It’s getting to be that time again darlin. Couldn’t you play hooky just one day?”

When he looked at her with the puppy dog eyes, it took all the strength she had to resist.” I wish I could.” Leaning closer, she said,” I’ll miss you.”

“What about tonight?”

“The weekly book club. I’m trying to keep my friends cultured.”

He chuckled.” Then maybe we could do dinner at my place tomorrow night?”

“Sounds good to me. “ She softly kissed him.” I can get your address in the morning.”

His lips met hers again.” Sure you can’t play hooky?”

She giggled just as his phone rang. “Goodbye.” She pecked him on the cheek and left him sitting there to take his call.

“Hey AJ. What’s up?” He felt so bad. He’d ignored his friends since Nick’s wedding. Granted, it hadn’t been quite two weeks but he’d been spending all his free time with Maggie and loving every minute of it.

“That’s what I’d like to know. Anything going on with the girl in the picture?”

“We’re dating.”

“So you’re telling me it’s strictly platonic at this point?”

“No. I’m just saying me and my hand are becoming good buddies because she’s not that kind of girl and I’m not going to pressure her.”

“You don’t have to get defensive. I get it. You like her.”

“AJ. She’s never been with a man period.”

“Ever?”

“Never.”

“Fuck. That’s rough.”

“Don’t I know it but she’s worth it.”

“I can’t wait to meet her if she means that much to you Rok. I’ll catch ya later.”

“Later J,” he replied and hung up. He couldn’t stop thinking about her and morning couldn’t come soon enough. Maybe he should drop by and meet her friends. They were going to meet someday. May as well get it over with right?





“So I wanna know about your man Mags!” Deidre demanded the information before they even got to the book that evening.

“Yeah I’d like to know about the guy that’s taking up all your free time now,” Jasmine teased Maggie.

“You guys! We’re here for book club.” Maggie blushed. Couldn’t be the wine this soon could it? De’s latest fling had just come back from Maui and brought her the tropical pineapple wine (along with other things she really didn’t want to know about).
She couldn’t remember why he didn’t take Deidre with him but that’s beside the point.
Maybe it was the combination of the wine and the fact that despite being with her friends, Brian was consuming her every thought. That was a good thing right?

“ I don’t want to give you a hard time Maggie but this must be good if you’re blushing like a beet,” Camille added.

“Okay but after I tell you about my oh so lengthy love affair, we talk about the book.”

They all nodded and sipped their wine.

Maggie started.” So I made it through the first date. When we were at my door, instead of just kissing me, he asked if he could.”

“That is too sweet!” Jaz declared.

“Anyway, Sunday morning while I was talking to Camille he called. Our second date we saw The Lucky One. I think that made him a little more amorous than usual.”

“Guy was horny,” De interjected.” I went to see her Monday on my lunch hour and she told me what happened. They were getting hot and heavy and he got a boner!”

“Thank you for that colorful synopsis of the night’s end De.”

“Don’t tell us you’ve never got that far with a man Mags. You’ve kissed enough guys,” Jasmine replied in astonishment.

“But never that heated. I felt things I’ve only ever heard you guys talk about.”

“Pretty nice feeling huh?” Camille smiled.

“I didn’t hate it. So anyways, after De left, I got a text from him and we had dinner. After dinner, apparently I said something that could be construed as sexual. You guys, do I really have to give you the play by play?”

“Yes!” They replied in unison. Even Camille, whom was usually on her side. Crap!

Maggie sighed and continued,” He got aroused again when my hand slipped onto his butt.”

“You go girl!” Jasmine congratulated her.

Just then, the doorbell rang; interrupting their girlie banter. De jumped up and headed for the door before Maggie could protest.

“Expecting anyone?” De grinned as she swung the door open. She smiled and announced. “Maggie it’s for you!”

Maggie got up off the couch and crossed the room to the door. There stood Brian with another vase and six roses . Three of each color this time. “Hi.” She smiled shyly.

“You don’t mind that I stopped by do you?”

“Well if you’re going to bring me flowers, you can drop by anytime you want. Come on in. We were just finishing up weren’t we ladies?” Dropping the hint so hopefully they would leave.

“Actually I think we were just getting started,” Deidre spoke up.

After setting the vase on the counter, she took his hand and whispered,” You really want to meet my friends?”

“Of course I do. I’m sure it’s not as bad as you think,” He returned in whisper and smiled.

“How bout you introduce us to your friend Mags?”Jasmine was the next to speak up.

“Okay. Brian, the one that just spoke up is Jasmine. You already met De and the one over there being quiet is Camille.”

“It’s nice to meet you all but I won’t keep you ladies. I just stopped by to say hi to Maggie,” He said and gave them all a smile.

“I’ll see you out,” Maggie said softly and closed the door behind them once they were in the hall. Once alone, she grabbed his face and kissed him with all that she had.

“What was that for darlin?”

“For being you…….. and the flowers.”

He pulled her back into his arms and kissed her just as passionately as she did him.

“What was that for?” she said; coming up breathless.

“For being you. I’m gonna go before we get in trouble again.” Kissing her one last time before leaving her with, “I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

When she stepped back inside the apartment, De was the first to make a comment. “He’s cute. And he does have a nice butt!”

Leave it to De but she was too much in love to care about it. At least De didn’t embarrass her.
Chapter 13 by Simple Sue
“Maggie?” Brian said as he took her hand that morning while they enjoyed their coffee in what was quickly becoming their corner in the coffee shop.

“Yes Brian.” She smiled in return.

“What would you like for dinner tonight?”

“Well I know you don’t cook so whatever’s easiest for you to order,” she teased.

“Watch yourself young lady. But you’re right. I’ll surprise you.”

“A note though, I don’t do spicy very well.” Blushing once she realized how that sounded. “I’m doing it again aren’t I?”

He chuckled as to brush it off and lightly pressed his lips to the back of her hand. “Let’s just say it’s a good thing there’s a table covering my lap right now pretty lady.”

She sipped her coffee as the blush continued to consume her cheeks. When she looked back up, his eyes were still on her. She was starting to enjoy the way he looked at her. For the first time she felt desired for more than what was on the outside( although he was appreciating what was there from what she could tell). “What?”

“Nothing. I just liking watching you.”

“Um, isn’t that contributing to the situation going on under the shadow of the table?”

“You just being with me contributes to that.”

“Brian.”

“It’s true,” he replied; leaning in closer to her face and brushed away the hair falling onto her face. “You’re so beautiful I can’t help myself.” His lips brushing hers; coaxing her slowly into a nice soft little kiss. He knew she was a little apprehensive about making their affection too public. She’d kiss him but she’d always look around to make sure nobody was watching. He didn’t give her the opportunity today.” I’m crazy about you Maggie. And we won’t do ………spicy.” He grinned.

Why did that turn her insides to mush and why for the first time did she not care if anybody saw them? She realized that before he came along, she saw at least one couple standing in line or off in a corner doing the same thing. Nothing heavy. He’d take her hand, whisper in her ear, she’d giggle then he’d give her a soft, sweet kiss like Brian just did. Not so bad is it Mags? She smiled and blushed. “Okay.”

“But we will swim.”

“We will? It’s the middle of winter.”

“I have an indoor pool.”

“I see. So is that a hint to bring my bathing suit with me tonight?”

“If you want it to be.”

She giggled.” Okay. I’ll bring it but it’s time for me to go to work handsome.”

He pouted. It was so cute. She placed a kiss on his pushed out lips. Throwing her purse over her shoulder. “Try to behave yourself today mister.” As soon as she was in her car, she dialed Camille’s number.

“Hey Mags! What’s up?” She answered.

“Please tell me you have a decent one piece bathing suit I can borrow?”

“Why are you going swimming in the middle of winter? OH! Boyfriend has an indoor pool does he?”

“You knew who he was the minute you saw him in the coffee shop.”

“Yeah but I had the advantage of MTV and I thought it was his place to tell you that stuff.”

“And he did but I guess he thought it might scare me away. Imagine that.”

“Don’t need to. You’re a beautiful woman. It’s easy to see why he’s fallen for you.”

“About the suit?” Maggie turned the subject back around.
“When was the last time you went swimming Maggie?”

“It’s been a while but I’m not going to drown. Besides, he’ll be there to rescue me if I do.”

Camille laughed.” Okay. Stop by around six and I’ll give you my least revealing suit,” She teased.

“Cam!”

“This is a good thing Maggie. He wants to get you one step closer to naked. You’re heading in the right direction.”



She and Brian enjoyed a nice, quiet candlelit dinner by his indoor pool from the Olive Garden. He had text her after seeing her that morning wanting to know if it was okay to go light. Soup and salad it was. She still was in awe of the fact that a man was making such a big deal about her but it was easy to see that her friends were becoming a little jealous of the time she was spending with him. Well minus Camille that was. Camille thought the guy walked on water. He was the closest thing to perfect Maggie ever had in her life. Camille even loaned her the Victoria’s Secret carry all she had so Maggie could carry a few extras just in case. As much as her body was feeling a need for Brian, she was keeping herself in check. Now it was finally time for that swim and she put the suit on. She’d never really seen herself as sexy. Camille made her model before she left and told her that it was all her. That she could even have the thing if Brian liked it half as much as she thought he would. It fit in all the right places. Conformed a little too well if you asked her but she realized that if she wanted to make love to him one day, she’d be a lot less clothed than this. Still insecure about it, she grabbed the towel hanging off the rack in his bathroom and wrapped it around herself before joining him in the pool. She stood and watched him for a few minutes before he even noticed she was there but his smile seem to melt all her fears. She couldn’t understand how he did that. One of those new, undiscovered feeling s she was having?

“That towel’s going to be an obstacle if you’re gonna join me in the pool angel.” His remark light but from what he could see so far, Maggie had no reason to feel as self-conscious as she did.

Dropping the towel at the pool’s edge where she stood, she felt his eyes take a good long trip over her body. She was getting a good look at his for the first time as well and she was beginning to understand that warm, tingly sensation was a good thing. Didn’t know what it meant yet but it sure felt good. She slowly took the steps into the pool. It was nice and warm. He’d dimmed the lights slightly so the only other light they had was the illumination beneath the surface of the water and the moonlight spilling in through the skylight. Talk about romance.

Now he knew there was no reason for her lack of self-confidence where her body was concerned. It took all the self-restraint he had as it was to take her in his arms and show her how beautiful she was.” You’re taking my breath away Maggie.”

She blushed as he took her hand as he pulled her closing; his arm circling her waist. She should never doubt her friends when it comes to men. They do know what they’re talking about yet she felt her hand flat against his bare chest, she almost pulled it away. That was until he told her he liked the way it felt there.

He let go of her hand and slid his remaining arm around her waist. Even the most tender kiss with her was explosive. Tonight was no exception. The feel of her skin pressed against his, the way her tongue played with his. He was really trying to behave but she hadn’t made it very easy. His hands moving to parts of her body she hadn’t let him go near before but when his hand slipped beneath the material of her suit and onto her breast, she gasped. But her next action wasn’t quite the response he was expecting.

“Brian please don’t stop.”

“Are you sure about that Maggie?” They were both breathless and there was no doubt she could feel what was going on in his swim trunks.

“Please,” she urged softly.

He molded her delicate flesh; his thumb circling the protruding nipple.

Her eyes remained with his as he continued to work the plush curve of her breast. That felt so good. She really wanted him to touch her all over she was so on fire. She whimpered as he pinched her nipple. That was it! She had to have every part of him then. No if’s and’s or but’s about it! “Brian, I want you to make love to me. Now.”

He knew she was serious but he also knew it was too soon. He stopped what he was doing and replied,” Maggie we need to talk about this. “
End Notes:


this is the suit Maggie wore. Victoria's Secret is where I found the picture.
Chapter 14 by Simple Sue
“No we don’t because we’re not gonna do this anymore,” Maggie replied; her arms folded firmly over her chest. She’d let him and he kept pulling back. What the heck was going on?! She wanted to be with him and she THOUGHT he wanted to be with her too. Apparently not. Fun game for him huh? She started moving toward the steps. He wasn’t going to see the tears again. How much rejection can somebody take before enough is enough?

Shit! How do you explain to a woman the reason you’re the one constantly pulling away? All they feel is undesirable. She may not have the experience yet but she certainly wants to think the man she’s dating only has eyes for her? Can’t tear them off of her? He certainly couldn’t but he knew from their online talks and from how she’d reacted in the last couple of weeks that she didn’t have the experience other woman did at this point in their life. Technically, they’d been dating almost seven months but physically, it’d had only been two weeks. He followed as quickly as he could and joined her where she stood; wrapped in one of his towels. “Maggie please try to understand.”

“Understand what? I finally meet a sweet, gentle man that I believed was crazy about me pulls away from me every time we get too close to being intimate. Why won’t you touch me?” She sniffled as the tears streamed down her face. No wonder he hates you. You’re an emotional wreck Maggie. Men don’t deal well there.

He knew he was screwed either way he decided to explain it to her so he took a deep breath. His hands skimmed over her crossed arms.” Maggie, I have fallen so hard for you. I just don’t want you to hate me.”

“I don’t hate you Brian. I just hate this part of myself.”

“I don’t. We talked about how we grew up and I know you led a very sheltered life. I don’t want you to compromise your beliefs. I’m not going anywhere. We’ll know when the time is right. I think you know that too.”

She nodded. She knew he was right. They both would know when the time was right but her head was spinning and she wanted him so bad her body ached at night. So apparently, she was ready physically but her heart needed a little more work.” Maybe we should call it a night.”

“Are you sure? We could get dressed and watch a movie. Something with a G rating maybe?” he teased.

She smiled but realized it was getting late.” I would love to stay but I have to work in the morning.”

“I’m only asking for a couple more hours but I understand if you have to.”

Oh man! He was doing that puppy dog eye thing again. When she didn’t answer, he took her hand and gently pressed his lips against the back of it.

“Please?”

It’s only a movie Maggie and you could snuggle with him. Sleep is overrated.” Okay. I’ll go get changed then meet you in the living room.” She headed for the bathroom and realized that she had fallen just as hard. They did need to slow down but in the meantime, she knew there were options to explore. Options only the girls could help her with. She’d worry about that tomorrow.



She looked so peaceful he didn’t want to wake her. They’d gotten comfortable watching the movie and she fell asleep resting against his chest. It was late and he didn’t want to wake her either. Her innocence was the very thing that turned him on. If she only knew her hand had landed on his thigh at one point. He cautiously eased up and lifted her from the couch. He gently laid her on the bed. After removing his shirt, he eased onto the other side and pulled the comforter up from the end of the bed over them and she snuggled up against him once again. He wanted her just as much as she wanted him but he had to go out of town in a couple of weeks and he didn’t want to do the hit and run for her first time. She deserved more than that.

She felt the fingers running through her hair and looked up to find his smiling face. She sleepily returned his smile.

“Good morning.”

“What time is it?” She leaned up; realizing he was naked from the waist up. And they were in a bed. She was still dressed. Well so much for that dream.

“Seven thirty.” He could see the panic in her eyes the minute he told her. He knew she was going to be worried about making it to work on time.

“I have to get home. I have to get ready for work. Brian please!” He wasn’t letting her go. Why wouldn’t he let her go?

“Maggie. Haven’t you ever called in sick?”

“No. I can’t afford to.”

“ I don’t condone it but sometimes it’s okay to take a day for yourself Maggie. Everybody does.”

“You’re not gonna back down are you?”

“I just want to spend some more time with you,” he said; pushing the hair away from her face. “I’m sorry. I understand if you don’t feel comfortable with it.”

“I’ve just never done anything like it before.”

“So is that a yes?”

She couldn’t believe she was actually considering it. He was right about everybody doing it. Her friends do but not so often they lose their jobs. “What would we do?”

“Anything you want. We could start with coffee then just go with it.”

Her days were always so planned and ever since she started going out on dates with him, she only had one coordinated night in her life with the book club. It could be fun. “Okay. I’m in.”

“I don’t want you to feel pressured. I’d just like to spend some time with you.”

“And I’d like to do that.”

“Okay. So I’ll go get our coffee, you can make your call, freshen up if you like while I’m gone.”

“You’re trusting me to be alone in your house?”

“I trust you any other time. You’re not one of those girls that plays innocent are you?” He teased.

She only wished that were true. “No but I don’t want it to be a deterrent when we get all hot and heavy as my friends put it.” She blushed.

“I promise that is not the reason. We’ve got plenty of time darlin’. Let’s enjoy it okay?”

“Okay. “ Maybe he really did respect her and not want to complicate things. Seemed to be the problem when her friends got involved that way. Just reel your hormones in Maggie.

“I’d better let you make that call before it gets too late and I’ll go get our coffee.”

“Brian.”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you,” she said and soflty kissed him.

“For what?”

“For last night. For today. Just because.”

“I should be thanking you. For the longest time, I closed my heart off to the idea of love. You came and opened that door. So thank you.”

Wow! That was the sweetest (and most romantic) thing a man ever said to her. “I’ve got a call to make.” She smiled then kissed him before moving out of his embrace. Her life was becoming a romance novel. A really good one at that!
Chapter 15 by Simple Sue
After he returned with the coffee that morning, she and Brian spent the better part of the day snuggling, watching movies, snuggling, ordering pizza, playing cards. Did she mention snuggling? Oh yeah, there was some kissing and hand holding too. She even made him dinner but when he took her home that night, he told her he was going to be out of town for a couple of weeks. Her heart sank briefly. She knew he was serious but she was also forgetting that he had a different type of profession from most men she dated. His would take him away from her for long periods of time. Longer than just the two weeks but they do say absence makes the heart grow fonder. She would find out right?

It killed her to be away from him just as much as it killed him. Their budding romance was taking a very hard hit and they both knew it. They were falling in love (even if the words hadn’t been said). He called every day just to hear her voice and how her day went. The thing she was missing most though was the way he touched her. Well he hadn’t touched her there yet but maybe it was about time she used his image to touch herself there. His hands did some pretty nice work above the waist. She closed her laptop and went into the bedroom.
She went in and put some soft music on, turned off the overhead light and left the bedside lamp on. She sat her phone down and stripped down to her bra and panties before pulling the comforter back.

She piled her pillows to prop herself up slightly. She started with the area she was most familiar with his hands being on; massaging her breasts through the lace of her bra. That started the warm and tinglies she always felt when he was pressed up against her. That firmness that pressed between her legs. She slid the other hand down beneath the satin material and fumbled until she found…..OH! Bingo! She closed her eyes and continued to manipulate that little trigger that was setting her whole body on fire. Good gravy! Why did she wait so long to figure this out?! She realized the faster she moved her thumb there, the more erratic her breathing became. Her hips started moving in a rhythm she’d never known. Okay, maybe she wriggled a little bit when he had her on the couch but Lord have mercy on her! She felt like she was going to explode at any second and that’s when it happened. Her phone went off. She could just ignore it but she looked at the time on her alarm. It was around the time he’d been calling her every night. Ceasing her pleasure, she reached over and grabbed her phone. She was almost out of breath.

“Hey there beautiful! I thought you weren’t going to answer for a minute.”

“Sorry about that,” she replied as she attempted to grasp onto some air.

“Are you okay darlin’?”

“I’m fine.” She was still answering breathlessly. “I was just working out.”

He’d caught her after workouts and it sounded nothing like that. He hated that he was being such a guy and letting his mind wander to a place he was sure she’d never go without him. Or would she? After all, it was all he could at night to keep himself from taking care of business. He knew she was anxious to be with him but did she even know where to begin? You’ve met her friends Brian. Even good girls need to let go.” You know we can talk about anything right Maggie?”

“Yeah. Why?” She really had to get it under control but with him on the other end, her body was starting to light up again. Her free hand sliding down into her panties again.

“Then tell me something Maggie.”

“Anything,” she breathed into the phone.

“Are you missing me?”

“What…do….you….mean?”

“I mean are you touching yourself the way you wished I could be touching you?”

“Uh huh.”

Her softly uttered response was his undoing. His jeans had become extremely tight knowing she was touching herself.

“Brian?”

“Yeah baby?” He said as he released himself from the restraint of his pants; succumbing to the same pleasure she was already enjoying. He knew they couldn’t be together physically yet( for other obvious reasons) and this could work to their advantage.

“Are you missing me?” She inquired and moaned softly as she felt her body slowly spiraling out of control. It was a feeling she wasn’t used to. She wanted to have everything on a schedule. She needed to let go of that or she was going to miss out on one of the best parts of life.

“More than you know angel.” His hand wrapped around his cock; keeping a steady pace.

“Brian?”

It sounded like she was getting closer than he was at that point but his breath was coming out almost as erratically as hers.” What is it sweetness?”

“I feel like I’m going to burst. I don’t know if I should feel this way.”

“How does your body feel?” She was going to be the death of him.

“It feels like I could take hold of something and keep a grip on it.”

She really had no idea what her innocent words did to him. “ It’s what I want your body to be doing to mine right now.” She had just pushed a button in him and had no concept of she could do with those words.

“Oh…..Oh……Ohmigod!” She wasn’t sure what just happened but she was positive she wanted to have that sensation again.

He was too lost in his own pleasure that he didn’t even realize her end was silent. “Oh Maggie!” He cried out as he found his release.

She waited a few seconds before she said his name. What happened? Had they got intimate on the phone? “Brian?”

“Maggie. Are you okay darling?” He breathed. He was slowly finding his voice again.

“I’m fine. Are you?”

“I’ve never felt anything like that before. Did you like it?”

“Yeah. Did you?

“That was the most incredible thing I’ve ever felt Maggie. I can’t wait to see you angel.”

“Two days is going to be too long Brian. I wish you were coming home sooner.”

“I’d be there today if I thought I could get away with it,” he chuckled.

“I know but what we just did?”

“Yeah?”

“That’s the first time I ever took care of myself.”

“You’ve never explored baby?”

“No. I never had a reason to until now.”

“If you don’t stop talking that way sweetness I’m gonna have to hang up.”

“Are you getting....ummm? “ She was still a little embarrassed but she knew she had to get over it if she was going to be intimate with him in person.

“I’m getting a little worked up again Maggie.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. You give me something to look forward to at the end of the day.”

She was trying so hard to hold back the tears but she knew they were because she was happy.

“Are you okay Maggie?”

“I’m fine. I just never had anybody tell me the things that you do.”

“I mean every word of it. I’ll be home before home before you know it.”

“I miss you.”

“Well you better warm up those lips of yours because we’re gonna be making up for lost time.”

“Brian?”

“Yeah?”

“Are you really okay with the way things are?”

“They’re exactly where they should be. I’ll see you soon. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

He knew she was still worried about them not being intimate but that right there was just about the closest he’d been to a woman without being in the same room. Their time would be right soon enough. He just had to make sure his heart was ready too.
Chapter 16 by Simple Sue
Maggie flipped through the channels for the umpteenth time to find nothing on. The house was clean , she was bored and Brian wouldn’t be home for another six hours. She groaned in frustration as she hit the off button on the remote then picked up her phone. She dialed Jaz’s number and she picked up on the third ring. “Please tell me you’re not doing anything for lunch or this afternoon for that matter.”

“Just cleaning house. I could be ready in half an hour.”

“Great. I’ll be there.”

“Missing loverboy are ya?”Jaz teased her but it was true.

“Yeah. I’m gonna go stir crazy if I don’t get out of the house though. Maybe retail therapy is what I’m needing right now.”

“Okay. I’ll get things wrapped up and be ready when you get here. You can tell me about the day you played hooky from work.”

“How’d you know about that?”

“Not important. I’ll tell you when you get here.”

“Fine. I’ll see you in a half an hour then,” Maggie replied and hit the end button.

An hour later they were at Applebee’s having a drink and Jaz was telling her how she knew about the hooky day so she had to explain that one.

“So I know you miss him but Mags I’ve never seen you this out of whack. What gives?”

She bit her lower lip for a second then looked to her friend.” I took your guys’ advice to y’ know, do some exploring right?”

She nodded as she took a sip of her Pina Coloda.

“He called just as I was getting to that good point.”

“Mags did you have phone sex?”

She blushed.” I guess.”

“Well were you touching yourself?”

“Yeah.”

“And was he giving himself pleasure?”

“Sounded like it.”

“Girlie you’re gonna go bonkers if you don’t get some soon.”

“I’m trying. I think he’s the one that’s not ready.”

“Are you kidding me? Men are always ready. You just have to keep at it. Eventually he’ll break. After we stop at Bath And Body, we’ll stop at Vicky’s Secret and see if we can find you something sexy but not too racy. From what I get, he’s had his hands on the merchandise, he’s just waiting for you to make the sale final.”

“Do you guys always have to talk about sex like it’s some sort of cat and mouse game? I mean I may not know much but he does care about me. He doesn’t just want to feel the goodies and go.”

“You’re right Maggie. It’s nice to know there are some good guys left out there in the world. I’m glad you got one of them but we’re still going to Vicky’s.” She grinned.

“I’m sorry I got testy. The waiting is just killing me.”

“I know girl. We’ll get you through the afternoon. He’ll be home before you know it.” Taking her friend’s hand across the table and squeezing it reassuringly. She liked her life where it was but she was a little jealous that Maggie got herself a real live Prince Charming on her first real attempt at a relationship. All the things she’d done over the years were starting to work for her friend.




Four hours later, Jaz was helping her pick out something at Victoria’s Secret. They’d pulled a few from the racks but nothing seemed to be working so Jaz went back out in search of more ; bringing back only one. She knocked to make sure Maggie was decent then presented her with the most beautiful chemise ; dusty rose in color with a caramel lace trim along the edges. Spaghetti straps held it up. Jaz’s eyes met Maggie’s and she said,” It’s perfect Maggie. Let’s get it and get you home.”

“You’re sure?”

“When he finally does see this Maggie, you’ll have no trouble getting him into bed. I didn’t think you were ready but from what you’ve been telling me and the way you’ve been talking about him all afternoon, it’s time girlie.”

“Jaz?” Maggie said as her friend rest her head on her shoulder.

“I know this isn’t easy for any of you and I just want to say thank you for helping me out.”

“Mags, you’re always there for us. Now it’s your turn. Thank us when you get the big prize.” She smiled and squeezed Maggie’s shoulders. “Now let’s get you home so you can seduce that sweet young man of yours.”

Maggie removed the tiny lacy gown and Jaz took it from her.” This one is on me lady.”

“Jaz. I can’t let you do that.”

“You’ll owe me one okay?”

“Okay.”

Jasmine and Maggie were walking up the stairs to her apartment when Maggie’s cell phone rang. Brian! “Hey! Are you home yet? I miss you so much!” Great! She sounded so anxious. Jasmine just laughed.

“Well I’m at your door but you’re not answering. I couldn’t wait to see you and I just barely got home.”

They were making it up the final set of steps when he came into view. She closed her phone and shoved it her purse before making a mad dash toward him . He was carrying a single red rose. He swept her up into his arms and she kissed him until they couldn’t breathe. “I’m so glad you’re home. I was going nuts!”

“I missed you too baby. Lord did I miss you!” Kissing her again; nearly forgetting her friend was patiently waiting for her. “Maybe you should say goodbye to your friend so we can say hello some more? “He whispered and she blushed at his suggestion. She was so adorable when she did that.

“Okay. “ She turned back to Jasmine, gave her a quick hug and said, “Thanks for restoring my sanity this afternoon.”

“No problem. It’s what you pay me for, “She teased. “See you two later. It was nice to see you again Brian!” She said; handing Maggie her bags before she started down the stairs.

Brian noticed the bag in Maggie’s hand. “Something you want to show me?”

“Someday.”

“So I don’t get a show today?” He pouted as she turned the key in the lock.

“Only if you play nice. “

“I’ve got an idea then. Why don’t you let me use your shower to freshen up and then we can talk about that fashion show?” he whispered in her ear as he slid his arms around her waist from behind.

Finally! He’s not treating you like a delicate little girl anymore. If that was all it would have took, she would have run out and bought some sooner. “Sounds good to me but maybe we could do dinner before I let you get a peek at the goods.”

“You would make me wait that long?”

“I didn’t say what I was cooking now did I?”

“Don’t toy with me like that angel.”

She opened the door. Picking up his bag, he followed her in. “The bathroom is the –“ she turned as she was telling him and he pulled her into his arms yet again. His kisses literally made her toes curl. “First door on the right.” She finished once he released her from his embrace.

“Thank you. I’ll be done before you know it beautiful.” He pecked her on the cheek and made his way to the bathroom.

What would her friends do in this situation? De would just go for it. Be wearing the lingerie before he arrived. Jaz would be wearing it when he returned. Camille would most likely put it on but throw a cute, frilly dress over it just to destroy him. Option number three it was! She was a little nervous but maybe it was the enticement he needed to slide into bed with her.

The single rose sat in the center of her counter in a crystal bud vase she got for college graduation from all three of her friends. They really did balance each other out in ways the rest of the world wouldn’t understand. She turned to the refrigerator and opened it. She was going to make him dinner anyway so she pulled out the chicken that had been thawing in bowel all day. She turned back around and sat it on the counter when she heard his voice.

“Maggie. I drained your bottle of shampoo. I’ll get ya a new one tomorrow. Is that okay baby?”

He was making conversation like this was something he did every day. Secondly, he wasn’t wearing a shirt and the top button on his jeans was open. She couldn’t take much more of this!

“Maggie? Angel? Is everything okay?” The towel he was using to dry his hair now draped around his neck as his eyes came to meet hers.

He had to know what was going on just from the look in her eyes alone. Good grief! A girl can only take so much. Enough already!
Chapter 17 by Simple Sue
He knew that look. They’d been there already but was she really ready to go there? Was he just using her lack of experience as an excuse to not go there right away? He knew he was going to be the first man to cross that threshold and it scared the hell out of him. He loved her so much that he didn’t want to be the cause of her pain. He was a grown man and she was a grown woman with the innocence of a sixteen year old girl in this department. But she certainly wasn’t looking innocent as her dress fluttered to the ground; unveiling a very revealing piece of lingerie. Thank goodness her feet were working because he was frozen. She really had no clue as to how stunning she truly was. The tiny little gown barely covered her all her God given assets.

She approached him and tentatively lay her hands against his bare skin. She could feel his heart racing just like hers. She cautiously ran her fingers down over his body; her eyes landing on something she didn’t notice the first time she’d seen him without a shirt. He had a scar. Her eyes rose back to his and he knew what she was questioning.

“I was born with a heart defect and ten years ago I had to have surgery.”

Her eyes moved back to the scar then leaned down; softly pressing her lips against it. His breath caught and she dragged the towel from around his neck; dropping it to the floor.

“Maggie, where’s your room?”

“Follow me,” she replied and took his hand. She led him down the short hall and through the doorway. She wasn’t sure about the lighting. She wasn’t sure about anything except the reaction she got out of him. It was enough to get him in the room.

“Lights on or off?”

“Off.” She wanted to do this. She was ready to but despite how much he’d already seen of her body, she didn’t want him to see it. Not the first time anyway.

Before reaching for the switch, he took her in his arms and said,” If you’re not ready, we don’t have to do this Maggie.”

Pulling out of his embrace, she flipped the comforter back and pulled down the sheets. Turning back to him, she pressed against his chest and turned the lights off. He held onto her and backed toward the bed. He turned and eased onto it; holding her all the while. Pushing the hair back from her face, his lips met hers. He caressed her body as delicately as their lips were playing. His hand slid under the small skirt and she gasped. His body was on overdrive but his conscience was begging him to stop. He knew how fragile she was and he didn’t want her to feel rushed.” Maggie,” he breathed.

“Brian, I’m okay. Please touch me all those places you’ve been wanting to.” She knew he wasn’t going to go any further unless she gave him the go ahead. She figured the only way he would was to feel her skin against his . She rose and slowly pulled the tiny piece of lingerie over her head and tossed it aside. “I need you to.” He answered by rising up and capturing her lips before easing back against the bed with her.

He could feel her trembling but he couldn’t keep pushing her away. She loved him and she was giving him a gift. It was a part of herself that no other man would ever get to have. It was that very thing that was scaring him just as much as her. God Brian! Be a man! That’s all she wants. Just love her likes she wants to be. He turned her back against the bed as they kissed. Lord she felt so good! Her silky skin pressed against his. The way she touched him as his lips moved over her. Her slight giggle as his lips brushed over her stomach. He was losing his heart to her with every single moment they shared. He slipped out of his jeans and moved back over her body; adoring every inch of her as he did. The feel of her was doing him in. “Maggie baby, I do love you.”

“I love you Brian.” She’d never felt anything so intense and so hard. That was his body reacting to her? Wow! That kind of felt good. She wanted to feel what it could do to her when he was a part of her. “ Brian please. I don’t think I can take much more of this.”

“Are you sure you’re ready Maggie?”

“More than you know.”

Parting her legs, he positioned himself and slowly pushed inside her. It felt so good so why did he feel so guilty about it?

She whimpered as he broke through that barrier. She knew it was going to hurt but Lord have mercy. She felt his movement grow steadier and steadier as she held onto him and just like that, he stopped. Was that it? That’s what she’d been waiting for? Or did she do something wrong?

Oh God that did not just happen! Tell me that did not just happen! He couldn’t have climaxed that fast. He wasn’t a teenager but his body reacted that way. Why with her! Why?! He leaned in and whispered,” Don’t go anywhere I’ll be right back angel.” Kissing her softly before removing himself and headed toward the bathroom. Dammit! She’s gonna hate you forever now. She just gave you the one thing she most cherished and now it’s gone thanks to your’brain’ gearing up like a teenage boy.

He hates me. He really hates me. She knew it was supposed to be painful but there wasn’t any time for him to cause any overabundance of pain. Yes she was sore but she should have hurt more right? She just wanted to curl up into a ball but she didn’t want to lie there in the evidence of what had just occurred. A sad reminder of what could have been beautiful. She eased out of bed and found her robe. She turned the light on. She flipped the comforter onto the floor and threw the pillows across the room before she started ripping the sheets off the bed. God must really hate her or something for this to happen she thought as she fell to her knees at the side of the bed; the tears consuming her. She felt his hands on her shoulders and she flinched. “Please don’t touch me.”

He knew what this was about. It had to be. How could she understand that it was him and not her?” Maggie baby please give me a minute.”

“Why? You don’t want to be with me. I know that now. I shouldn’t have pushed it.”

“Maggie I could have said no too. I want to be with you. More than anything. I just got a little overwhelmed by it all. “

“I don’t understand.” Still not wanting to face him. She knew she’d have to eventually.

“Maggie. Angel. Please look at me.” Her eyes rose to where he was now seated on the bed. “Sit with me.”

She tentatively moved from her position and sat next to him. “It wasn’t your fault. I lost control and I’m sorry. I wanted this to be special and I guess I just lost myself in you.”

She wanted to believe that but it felt like she was just another notch at that point. Instead of pushing it, she simply replied as he brushed her tears away. “I understand now.” But she didn’t. She couldn’t fathom the fact that his impulses took over just like that.

“So are we good now?”

“We’re good.” She smiled but her heart wasn’t in it. How could it be when his wasn’t?
Chapter 18 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


I apologize for the sporadic updates but my work schedule has changed from nights back to days so bear with me please and thank you for reading:)


She said she was okay. He knew she wasn’t but what else could he do? He could only say it was his fault so many ways. He didn’t know what else to do He knew their first time wasn’t going to be some big Hollywood movie scene but he wanted it to mean something to her and all he ended up doing was hurting her. He went on about his business but she was never far from his thoughts. He even tried calling a few times but she wouldn’t answer. He felt horrible. She was everything he ever wanted in a woman and the last one he saw coming. Isn’t that what they say about THE ONE? The last thing he wanted to do was hurt her but he managed to do a bang up job on all levels. It was killing him to not know how she was every day. He missed her. A lot and when she didn’t show up at the coffee shop Monday morning, he just figured she needed a little more time but when she didn’t show up on Tuesday, he started to panic. He tried her phone and still no answer. The bell on the door went off again and he looked up praying to see those beautiful blue eyes staring back at him but just another customer. Ring after ring, he would look up from his coffee until he finally gave up and headed for the door. He was halfway there when he saw Maggie’s friend enter the store.
He approached her and said, “Camille right?

“Yes. Where’s Maggie?”

“I was hoping you could answer that question.”

“I haven’t seen her since Friday. She told me you were coming home so I didn’t bother to call because I figured she’d be spending time with you.”

“I haven’t seen her since Sunday morning. She won’t talk to me, answer the door. Nothing. I even went by the library and they said she was out sick.”

“Maggie never calls in sick.” They nodded knowingly toward one another. Camille said, “If it’s not too personal, what did happen this weekend?”

Brian stuffed his hands in his pockets and diverted his gaze to the ground. It shouldn’t be a big deal but what happened was between himself and Maggie. He wasn’t the kind of guy to go advertising his sexual escapades to God and everybody. Former girlfriends and wife had but for the first time in his life, he met someone that didn’t want the world to know what they were doing behind closed doors. He was sure they would know but that’s about as far as it was going to get in his book.

Camille was attempting to contemplate why he was being so coy about it when it struck her. He and Maggie……..”Oh.”

His eyes rose back to Camille’s. “ I love her Camille. I don’t think there’s anything I can do right now to make it better. I just need to know she’s okay until she’s ready to talk to me.”

“Hold on.” Camille pulled her cell out of her purse and hit the speed dial for Maggie. Maggie still had a land line so that’s what she was trying. The answering machine picked it up and Camille said,”Mags, it’s Camille. What’s going on lady? Give me a call as soon as you get this.”

“Thank you.”

And not two seconds after he spoke the words, Camille’s phone went off. Maggie. Unlocking the phone, she answered, “Mags, what’s going on? I went by the library yesterday to take you out to lunch and they said you were out sick. Is everything okay?” She heard the sniffle on the other end. Not a good sign.

“No.”

“Wanna talk about it?”

“Not really.”

“Too bad. I’m picking up your favorite ice cream and we’re gonna get rid of the doom and gloom with it like we did in college.”

“It’s not gonna help this time.”

“I don’t care. I’ll be there in twenty minutes and you’d better open your door because you know I’ll find a way in with or without you.”

“Fine. I’ll see you.” Swiping away the tears from her face. The freshest batch to consume her.

“Yes you will. Goodbye.” Camille hung up and turned back to Brian. “She’s still alive and breathing. “

“Thank you. “

“ No problem. I’ll get to the bottom of this. Perhaps I should get your number so I can let you know.”

“Sure.” After they exchanged numbers, he thanked Camille again before she left and prayed to God that Maggie would talk to him. Soon.


True to her word, Camille arrived with the raspberry sherbet. She surveyed the front room. The floor was littered with Kleenex, the sink was filled with tea cups and bowls. Maggie’s comfort foods. Chamomile tea and chicken noodle soup. Maybe she was really sick but this wasn’t cold or flu ill, it was heartbreak plain and simple. Maggie had wandered back to her room and was blowing her nose when Camille joined her. A tornado whipped through this place. Sheets everywhere on the floor and the comforter laid in a random pile of it’s own. “Start talking.”

She buried her face in her friend’s shoulder. “Why does it hurt so much Cam?” She’d been on an emotional rollercoaster the last two days and she felt so out of control. The physical pain had gone away but there was a hole growing bigger and bigger in her heart and she just wished it would go away. She missed Brian but didn’t know how to face him. She really wasn’t sure how she was facing Camille. Nothing made sense. She was happy as a lark one minute then crying at one of those inspirational commercials five minutes later. Felt like a light speed version of PMS and it sucked.

“What?”

“Love.”

“I take it this has to do with Brian.”

She burst into tears yet again.

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

“He hates me Cam. He touches me and it’s like I repulse him.”

“Um Mags. That’s where you’re wrong.”

“How do you know?” She pulled away from her friend and sniffed.

“Because he told me he was worried about you. He’s been trying to call for the last two days girl. That doesn’t sound like a guy that hates you.”

“You saw him?” She blew her nose in the wadded up tissue in her hand.

“First off, you need a shower. You look like death warmed over. I’ll straighten up things then you can tell me what happened.”

“Okay,” she agreed and followed Camille’s instruction. Once she got under the running water, she did feel better but it still wasn’t helping the heartache consuming her. She put on a clean pair of sweats and a loose fitting T-shirt before heading out to the living room to find the kitchen clean and the Kleenex picked up. Camille had just closed the laundry closet door and turned to Maggie.

“Feel better?”

“Cleaner. “

“So tell me what happened this weekend Mags. We’ve been GIRLS for far too long. “

“Jaz and I hung out Saturday afternoon and went shopping. When we got back to my place, Brian was standing at my door. I was so ready to just have my way with him there in the hall but he came straight from the airport and needed to freshen up. We were going to have dinner anyway but I couldn’t take it anymore so I slid on the lingerie and one of those loose fitting dresses I have and went to start dinner. We……we… I don’t know what we did but it repulses him to touch me.”

“What happened Mags? He’s worried about you.”

She started crying again and Camille immediately wrapped her arms around Maggie and let her work through it. “Shouldn’t you be at work Cam?” Maggie pulled back enough to look at her friend.

“I called in sick. Now what happened that was so terrible?”

“I don’t know. I mean I knew it was gonna hurt but it was like he was done before we even got started.”

Camille didn’t even have to think twice to know what happened. Brian got excited too quick.”Mags, that had nothing to do with him hating you. He got way too excited too fast.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean he loves you so much, everything about you overpowered him. You didn’t do anything wrong lady.”

“No? Then why does it feel like it?”

“Because it was your first time and you’re supposed to feel like a total mess but not like the world is going to end. You need to talk to him.”

“I don’t know if I can.”

“Mags. He loves you. He’s not going anywhere for a long, long time. Not even then.”

“So I should call him?”

“It would be a good idea. I’ll even be here for moral support but you have to do the rest on your own lady.”

“Deal.”
Chapter 19 by Simple Sue
Maggie dialed the number with Camille there by her side. She felt so foolish. She was a grown woman. If she was going to share her life with this man, she needed to learn to start dealing with him on her own too. Now she understood how sex complicated your life. She’d only been there once and already things were different with her and Brian. She still couldn’t fathom how she’d managed to set him off so fast. Weren’t men supposed to be able to control that once they got past their teen years? At least that’s what she read somewhere. She didn’t know if it was true.

So he agreed to meet her at the coffee shop that afternoon. After she’d got off the phone with him, she called the library and told them she would be using her sick leave for the remainder of the week and would bring a doctor’s note in if they needed it. They told her it was fine and not to worry. They’d see her Monday. No questions asked. Guess it pays to be a good girl sometimes.

Camille stayed with her until she was a little more presentable to the outside world. “You know he’s crazy about you Maggie.”

She pulled her hair back into a clip and looked at herself. Why wouldn’t he be mad about you Maggie Ann? “I’m just scared Cam. “

“He’s just as scared as you. Men aren’t supposed to show fear but he was afraid he was never going to see you again. I could see it in his eyes without him saying a word. Hell, when he told me you weren’t answering your phone, I was scared.”

“Does it ever go away?”

“Eventually but the fear is a good thing when you’re afraid of what your life would be like if they weren’t in it.” Camille changed the subject.” Doesn’t he like your hair down?”

Maggie giggled.” I was actually hoping we’d get through this and he’d pull it down. I like the way it feels when he does.”

“That is so cute Maggie.”

“Stop it!” She blushed.” So I look okay?”

“You look gorgeous. Now go get this thing worked out. It’s gonna be fine.”

“You know, I actually believe that. Thanks for being there.”

“Mags we all have been through that rollercoaster. Just jump back in. That’s all you need to do. Let me know how it goes,” Camille said and gave Maggie a quick squeeze before she left.

Maggie grabbed her purse, keys and headed out. She pulled the door of the small café open and their eyes met but it wasn’t the same. The electricity was there but it was awkward. She slowly made her way to the table and he handed her the red rose she noticed him holding. They silently went through the motions of him holding the chair out for her. He sat down in the chair closest to her but neither of them said a word for the longest time. She took a few sips of the coffee he’d ordered for her and when she sat it down that time, he took her hand and started talking.

“Maggie, you mean the world to me and when you stopped answering your calls and wouldn’t open your door, it scared me. I can understand why you hate me but the entire time I was with you, you were the least nervous of us but what happened to me when I was with you….well.”Why was this so hard? He’d never been so in love with anybody in his life and he knew he had to help her understand what happened wasn’t her fault.

“Brian what happened? I really want to understand. I thought you hated me. “

“Oh Maggie. I love you so much. I got so overwhelmed by the emotion, my body didn’t get the message to slow down.”

“So it wasn’t me?”

“Well, part of it was. You’re so beautiful and I just lost control of the wheel.”

Now she got it. He didn’t find her repulsive at all. He was hot for her and lost it. She blushed.

“I’m so embarrassed Maggie. I really did want it to be special and I screwed up big time.”

“It’s okay. I get it now.”

“Are you sure? I’d still like to make it up to you.”

“You don’t have to do that.”

“I know I don’t but I’d like to take you out to dinner, maybe a little dancing say tomorrow night?”

“I’d like that.”

“One thing though.” He leaned closer to her face.

“Yes?”

“I really like it when you wear your hair down.” Pulling the clip from her hair and slipping his fingers into her long tresses as his lips met hers.





Maggie took one last look in the mirror. Looking good lady! Bringing the pendant of her necklace upward, she pressed her lips against it. The charm had always been good luck for her and as much as she wasn’t superstitious, there was a reason that night didn’t go better. It wouldn’t have been perfect but she pondered the possibility it wouldn’t have turned out the mess it was. The knock on the door drew her out of her thoughts. Grabbing her heels, she headed for the door. Sliding them on, she opened the door. She couldn’t tear her eyes away from him. He was wearing a gray suit with a pink dress shirt that nearly matched the color of her dress and a gray tie.

She looked like an angel. The color of her dress nearly matched his shirt. The skirt of it hit her knee; hinting slightly at a peek of her beautiful legs. She had a sheer jacket that landed just so at the cleavage and it was all he could do to keep the man downstairs under control. Couldn’t have a repeat performance of the last time. “You are truly a vision Maggie.”

She blushed at his compliment. She needed to learn to play the game. Return the compliment.” And you are looking quite handsome yourself Mr. Littrell.”

He smiled. She was slowly coming out of her shell and he knew that if he kept the pace where it was at, everything would work out.” Are you ready?”

“I’m a little nervous. This is the first time we’ll really be stepping out.” She didn’t want to be so insecure but he did have a public and if she was going to be a part of his life, it was something she was going to have to contend with.

“I don’t want you to do anything that doesn’t make you comfortable. We could go back to my place and order in?” He suggested; knowing full well that’s where he was going to take her anyway.

“No. I think it’s about time I faced some of my fears.”

He took her hand and leaned in to kiss her. “And I’ll be right there with angel. You’re beautiful tonight. I’ll be lucky to get any attention myself.”

Maggie blushed. Why she ever thought he hated the way she looked was beyond comprehension.

“Ready to go?”

“As I’ll ever be.” When they arrived at his place she said,” I thought we were going out.”

“And have to share you with the rest of the world tonight? Not on your life.” He got out and walked around the car to open the door for her. Tonight was all about her and he was going to make sure she knew it.

“So who’s cooking dinner tonight?”

“Your friend.”

She giggled.” You’re teasing me right?”

“No,” he replied straight faced and escorted her into the candlelit dining room.

It was incredible. Nobody had ever gone to so much trouble for her. Maybe she’d never meant so much to anybody as she did to him.

“Looking good Mags,” Camille said as she entered the room with their plates. After sitting them down, she smiled at the two of them.” My part is done here. You two enjoy. I’m out of here.”

“Thanks for all the help Camille,” Brian said and gave her a quick hug before she got to Maggie.

She gave Maggie a hug and whispered,” You look beautiful tonight and he loves you so much. Let him sweep you off your feet. You deserve it.”

“Thank you,” Maggie returned.

“I’m out of here. You have a nice evening you two.”

Once Camille was gone, Brian offered, “Shall we?”

“Just in case I haven’t told you , you’re amazing.”

“And you’re pretty wonderful yourself beautiful,” he returned and pulled out a chair for her.

“Thank you,” she said and took the proffered chair. After he assisted her, he told her he’d be right back. He returned with a bottle of wine and two glasses. If he was trying to make up for the other night, he was heading in the right direction.

After dinner and a couple of glasses of wine, he said, “I have one more thing for you before we leave the table. Stay right there.”

What was he doing now? She heard the music filtering softly into the room and he was holding a small thin box in his hand when he returned. “First I have a question.”

“Okay.”

“That necklace you always wear? Does it have a special meaning?”

She looked down at it then back to him.” Camille gave it to me for my twenty first birthday and it’s always been my good luck charm. It brought me you. So what’s in the box ?”

“This?” He picked it up and handed it to her.” This is for you.”

She loosened the ribbon and peeled away the paper. Her jaw dropped when she saw the thin, gold chain adorned with two charms; a four leaf clover and a heart.” So these have some meaning I’m assuming or you wouldn’t have asked about my necklace right?”

“Yes. The four leaf clover is because you are my lucky charm and I don’t ever want you to forget that . The heart is so you’ll always have mine with you no matter how many miles separate us.”

She pulled his lips to hers and kissed him. Lord she just wanted to take him upstairs to his bed and show him how much she loved him.

“So you like it?” He smiled when they separated.

“A lot.” She nodded and removed it from the box. She wrapped it around her wrist and secured the tiny clasp. “Could we dance?”

“Anything for you angel.” He took her hand and led her to the pool. The music played softly throughout the sound system in the house as the moonlight filtered softly through the roof. He held her close to himself. She rest her head delicately on his shoulder as the music guided them.

Part of her thought she was lost somewhere in a dream and the other part told her it was all very real and he was the man she’d been waiting for all her life. Here And Now started playing and she moved her head to meet his gaze. “Brian?”

“Yes baby?” He brought the back of her hand to his lips.

“Let’s go upstairs.”
Chapter 20 by Simple Sue
“Are you sure you want to try again so soon?” He was just being cautious. He couldn’t help but be after the colossal disaster. That night killed his ego in a major way plus he didn’t want to hurt her feelings again. He couldn’t.

She knew he was worried about hurting her but it was killing her knowing all the good parts and not being able to feel them with him. Camille kept reassuring her that this stuff gets better, you just have to keep working at it. Emotionally, it had crushed her but physically, she liked the way he made her feel and she wanted more of that. She unlaced the string that was holding her sheer jacket on and dropped it to the ground. He needed to see more skin. Heck, she needed to see more of his.

Take it slow Brian he warned himself. He did loosen his tie but he gently took her hand. “It’s a beautiful night Maggie. Let’s take our time and explore. I want this to be what your first time should have been. For both of us.”

She’d never been good at playing the game. She just knew that when she wouldn’t, they took off like the roadrunner. She felt so foolish in even trying to make the first move. Just once she wished she could be more like one of her girls. Be able to make him change his mind. Then she wouldn’t be the woman Brian fell in love with. He was so patient with her it was unbelievable. She practically said ‘Here I am. Do with me what you will’ and he still put on the brakes. Why couldn’t he be a regular guy just this once?! Her friends always told her guys were lining up to go out with her so why was it she had one that slowed down every time she wanted to speed up? It wasn’t fair!

“Maggie, look at me,” he said as he tilted her chin up. Her eyes turned from his. He wanted to be with her like yesterday but he didn’t want a repeat performance either. She deserved to be shown that she was more than just a quick piece yet every time he put things on simmer, she blocked him out completely. “Maggie please, you know I love you. I would do anything in the world for you.”

She turned her gaze to his.” I love you Brian but every time I start heading that direction now…….well, I just don’t understand it. Any other guy would have took my hand and said let’s go but you stopped me once again.”

“Because I’m not every other guy. I don’t want to be with you just for tonight. I want to be with you every night of my life. I want to make it good for you too.”

Wow! Wow! Wow! What more was there to say? He really was in love with her. “Then I’ll slow down. I won’t like it but I will.”

Brian chuckled. “So does that mean I get the next dance angel?”

“Of course.” She smiled and allowed him to set the pace. If being in his arms and looking into his eyes all night was punishment, she’d gladly take it. You pray for a guy that will come along and treat you like a lady then when you do get him, you want the bad boy. How does that even make sense? It doesn’t but she wasn’t going to let him slip away either. She was going to enjoy this crazy ride for all it was worth.

“Is something on your mind angel?”

She didn’t realize she’d got so far away. She got lost in the romance of it all just like she was sure he was wanting for her. “ Just you and how amazing you are to me.”

“You amaze me more and more everyday with your beauty and charm. The way you’ve captured my heart without any effort.”

“Brian.” Good Lord! Couldn’t he just take her now? The anticipation was maddening and all the resolve she’d built to play nice was slowly dissolving. He knew what he was doing. She was sure of it. She just wished she could be more like her friends in a way where she’d have a story to tell about how she weakened a man. Maybe she was doing it without realizing it.

“I mean every word. I think your friend Camille left us some desert in the kitchen. Would you like some?” He couldn’t take much more of being so close to her and not touching her. Desert would prolong the evening and put some distance between their bodies. He wouldn’t be able to hide it if they remained as close as they were.

“I think. “ She moved her finger and traced it around his slightly parted lips. “ We should save it for later.”

She had no idea what she did to his body so this time he wasn’t going to put it off any longer. “Maggie.” He breathed as her lips got closer.

“Yes?” Her inquiry was almost as breathless as his.

He was trying so hard to be a gentleman but she kept making it harder(literally) to refuse the growing need he had for her. If she truly had any idea what she was doing to him, he was sure she was doing a damned good job of faking her innocence. He grabbed both sides ofher face and kissed her with all the life in his body as she continued to hold on to his tie. It was time.

When his gaze moved to meet hers , she knew. It had to be but she played anyway.” Brian are you sure?”

He pulled her as tight as he could against himself and lost himself as their lips connected. Her hands sliding up around his neck; her fingers tangled in the small curls on the back of his neck. She knew what made him tick and half the time she was oblivious to the fact that she had this control over him. Would the one thing that made her absolutely irresistible change when they’d been intimate more than once? Would what they have be different when she became more comfortable with what they were doing? She was the one constant in his life that didn’t judge him.


Their kiss had slowed to soft, delicate brushes. She moved her hands down to the buttons of his shirt. She could tell her tentativeness was driving him crazy as he confined her hands to his body; the intensity of their kiss growing in it’s urgency. As hungry as she was to feel all of him all over her, she drew away from his mouth and met his gaze.” Maybe we should go up now,” she suggested.

“I think it’s time.” He took her hand and before they reached the bottom of the staircase, he’d pulled her into his arms three times. His tie was gone and somewhere in there, his shirt had disappeared. Sure he could have found a way for dress to join that trail but he’d wait for the bedroom. She really was the most beautiful woman he’d ever been with and he didn’t need to know that by knowing what she looked like beneath all the layers. “So would you like the lights on or off?”

“On.” Her voice was slightly above a whisper. It didn’t matter so much. She needed to feel him, touch him, make him feel good. She knew he was trying to make this very special and intimate for her and just the fact that he was that concerned and had put that much effort in was a turn on in itself. Yes, that wasn’t her. Something the girls had taught her but it was the truth. She was aching in places for him that she’d never really ached for a man before now. It felt incredible.

“Okay. Trust me?”

“You know I do.”

“Hold on then.” He found the long handled lighter and started lighting the candles spread throughout the room. It leant a soft glow. Just enough for them to be visible to one another without having to go by touch alone. As he approached, she took his hand and led him toward the bed.

“What’s going on Maggie?”

“I know you want to make this special for me but I want to make this good for you too. Please let me know if you like what I’m doing Brian.” She was a little nervous but she steadied her hands long enough to reach down and undo his slacks.

“Maggie. Baby you don’t have to do this.”

“I want to. Please.”

It wasn’t the look in her eyes but the tone in her voice that told him she was right. He shifted out of his slacks and eased back against the pillows. He watched as she let her dress drop to the floor. She moved onto the bed over his body in nothing more than a lacy pink bra with tiny matching panties to go with it.

“I take it you approve,” she teased. She could feel his arousal and knowing that she was the cause of it, set the fires churning in her depths.

“You don’t know the half of it angel.” Her smile alone generally unglued him but the feel of her breath on his skin as her lips skimmed down his neck and lower onto his chest. He jerked slightly as she rolled her tongue around one of his nipples. She looked up into his eyes for some sort of approval.

“Are you okay?”

“Never better. Please don’t stop.” Her hands were resting against his body just above where her tongue traced another circle around the other. Everywhere her lips touched was more heated than the last. She ran her tongue down the center of his body and he groaned as it slid along the band of his boxers. Her apprehensiveness was very apparent and he wasn’t going to let her take a step she wasn’t comfortable with. “Maggie…..baby.”

Her eyes moved up to his. She wasn’t ready to pleasure him there yet.

“Come up here.”

She moved back up level with him; her body resting against his.”What?”

“I know you’re not ready to go there. It’s okay. You just being with me gets me all worked up down there.”

“I love you. “

“I love you too angel.” Pushing the hair back from her face and softly kissing her.

He already felt so good but she knew he needed to feel more of her. She gently eased up and reached behind her back. Languidly, she drew the straps off her shoulder before dropping it onto his chest; rendering him virtually speechless.
Chapter 21 by Simple Sue
It was times like these that he was glad to be a man. SO happy! She was everything a woman should be right down to the perfume she wore. Well she had a couple of scents but the vanilla was his favorite. But the perfume wasn’t what his body was focused on. It was the beautiful pair of breasts staring him in the eye. Lord did she know his weakness. She wasn’t overly abundant but there was plenty to play with there. He had to prolong his desire as long as he could. “Have I told you how beautiful you are tonight?”

“I don’t recall. Why don’t you tell me again?” She teased.

He tossed the bra aside and pulled her body back down against his.” Better yet, let me show you.” His lips brushed hers before committing full on. She had no trouble in that department. The sweet torment of her mouth on his as he turned to move her body beneath his. His lips moved from hers ; trailing toward her ear. “Maggie? He whispered.

“Yes?” She breathed. She wanted to feel him between her legs again. It had felt pretty nice up until….well , you know what happened.

“Promise you’ll tell me what makes YOU feel good Maggie.”

“I will.” His lips made a path down her neck; stopping to trace his tongue along her collarbone. He moved further down her body to the part he was longing to play with. He took his time in her pleasure there. She moaned softly as he gently tugged at her nipple. Her body yielded to every touch and taste he made or took. His tongue circled the stiff peak before suckling it.

He really hated leaving that area but she seemed pretty satisfied this far. His lips moved down her body and brushed lightly over her stomach. She quivered and he looked up. His eyes met hers. “You doing okay there angel?”

“Just tickles a little there is all. Please don’t stop.”

“Does it now?” He teased and flicked his tongue over her skin; lightly blowing on it. She squirmed. Man oh man was that hot!

“Brian please.” She begged as his tongue glided along the thin material that separated them. Her hips shifted when she felt his fingers slide into the sides of her panties. He took them the length of her legs then removed his boxers. She’d only felt him the last time but it was quite different getting a full view of him fully aroused. She knew she was ready but what was he doing? He came up between her thighs; his lips feathering against the skin there. She knew what he was about to do. Her friends had told her about it but was it really fair for him to give her something downstairs when she couldn’t do the same for him. “Brian?”

His eyes moved up to meet hers. “Do you not want this?”

“I do but I don’t think it’s right for you to give me something I can’t give you.”

“Angel, I want to do this for you but if you’re not comfortable.”

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

She nodded to give him the go ahead. She wasn’t sure she was going to….holy cow! She grabbed onto the sheets as she felt his tongue slide into her most intimate spot. That felt really good. Really, really good! She felt his mouth close over that one spot that made her tingle and oh did it make her more than just tingle this time because she felt his finger slide inside her body. Her body was reaching a new height of pleasure. One she wasn’t too familiar with. Is this what an …oh…oh……

“It’s okay Maggie. You can let it go.”

She heard his voice amidst the fog she was in. “Oh jeez Brian! OH…oh….oh….that was amazing.“Her body climbing down from the high she was on as he moved back up over her.

“You are so incredibly beautiful Maggie.” He reached over to the night table and grabbed the condom. After protecting himself, he slowly eased into her.

“You feel so good,” She whispered as he held himself there.

He needed to acclimate himself yet again to the tightness of her body or he was going to lose control all over. “Be careful what you’re saying there angel.”

“Does it get you all worked up?”

“Very much so baby.” He slowly started to move inside of her; allowing her to adjust to the feel of his rhythm.

“I’ll remember that,” she teased; her legs wrapping around him.

He leaned in and said,” I love you Maggie.” His body picking up to a steady speed. Not too fast he leaned in and brushed his lips against hers.

Her hands slid down his back; her nails digging into his skin as that part of her body tightened up yet again. He must have been there too because of the noise he was making and how her body had clamped down on his. It felt better this time. It felt right. He collapsed against her and was resting his head in the crook of her shoulder when she heard his breathless inquiry about her satisfaction.

“Are you doing okay baby?”

“That was amazing Brian. I’ve never felt so alive in my life.”

He chuckled but he had to agree with her on the part of feeling alive. He’d been with a few women in his life but until Maggie came along, it was all just physical. “That’s all I wanted for you Maggie. Love you angel.”

“Love you too bear.” She wasn’t sure where that came from and didn’t really care. He kissed her softly then went to dispose of the condom. When he slid back into bed with her, she snuggled up against him. She knew she made the right decision in waiting so long. She knew because she’d finally listened to her heart.
Chapter 22 by Simple Sue
The next two weeks were spent in their own little private heaven. Sure Maggie answered her friend’s text when they did but she was spending less and less time with them. She loved her friends but frankly they couldn’t do for her what he could. And that was the whole idea right? It’s not like any of them never bailed on her before. And she wasn’t really bailing on them. She just wasn’t making as many plans with them. She did talk to Camille after that evening she spent with Brian because let’s face it, she helped in getting it started. Dessert that night? Truffles. She’d never had so much fun with food in her life.

However, their intimacy level had pretty much stayed where it was that night being as Maggie still wasn’t feeling comfortable enough to make contact with her mouth below the belt. Being the bookworm she was, she decided to hit the internet that Friday night. She figured it would be the perfect time to learn how to pleasure him and get comfortable with the idea because honestly she wanted to be able to do for him what he was doing for her. She’d just pulled the one article up from Cosmopolitan magazine’s site on how to drive your man wild in the sack. Figured it was as good a place as any to start. She had just started reading when her land line went off. She didn’t have caller ID so she left her laptop at the table and grabbed the phone off it’s cradle. “Hello?”

“Hey there Angel. I miss you.”

Oh shit! If he could only see the three shades of red she just turned.” Miss you too. I thought you were visiting your folks?”

“I am. I just landed but I thought I might not get a chance to talk to you until Sunday. Wanted to hear your voice before then.”

“I already miss yours.”

“So what are you doing?”

“Research.”

“New project for the corner?”

“Just a new project.”

“Maggie Ann,” he scolded. She was going to be the death of him but he loved that she was starting to get a little more bold with him. Not over the top but just enough to get him going in places that weren’t so private.

“What? You need to have something to look forward to when you get home.”

“I don’t need any specific reason. Just you.”

No wonder she’d fallen in love with him. “It’s gonna be a long weekend bear.”

“For me too baby.”

She was just about to say something when the insistent knocking on her door started.” Hang on just a second okay?”

“Sure thing.”

She opened her door and there were her three best girls all decked out and she…..oh crap! Girl’s night! “Mags! Why aren’t you ready?” Jasmine gave her a stern look.

“Brian. I gotta go. I totally forgot I was going out with the girls tonight.” She returned her attention to him before they all burst into her apartment.

“Okay angel. I love you.”

“Love you too bear. See you Sunday.”

“I’ll be counting the hours. Goodbye,” He said and hung up.

“Bear?” Deidre teased.

“Well he is kinda cute and cuddly, “Camille backed her up.

“Well, well, well…. What do we have here?” Jasmine discovered the open laptop.” How to please your man in the bedroom?”

“Something we need to know Mags?” De inquired; raising her brow.

“Um……” She twisted her lip nervously between her teeth. Camille was the only one that knew.”We….um….We got freaky okay?” Maggie blurted out.

“So he’s out of town this weekend I take it?” Camille said.

“Yeah.”

“So if you’re doing the deed with him now why the article?” De said as she skimmed down the page with Jasmine. “Oh.”

“You mean you haven’t given him a blow job yet?” Jasmine said as she turned from the computer.

“No. And he hasn’t pushed it but I want to make him feel good cuz he’s making me feel really good.” She blushed. She still wasn’t used to being this open with her friends even.

“It’s okay Mags. We’ve got your back. What do you need to know?” Jasmine joined her where she was leaning against the back of the couch and put her arm around Maggie’s shoulder.

“Yeah. He must be really good if you’re looking up tips on the internet,” Deidre added as she joined them.

“That’s what I’ve heard,” Camille said and stood in the front of the three.

“You knew she did the deed and didn’t say anything?”

“Really De? Did you go advertising your first serious….oh wait, I forget who I’m talking to,” Camille teased and De grabbed the pillow from behind them on the couch and whacked her.

“Guys!” Maggie protested. “This is why I didn’t ask this time.”

“Seriously though Maggie. He’s gonna be so happy to have your lips wrapped around that part of his body, he’s not gonna care how good or bad it is the first time you do it,” Jasmine informed her. “He loves you right?”

“Yeah.”

“Then you’re gonna know just by the noise he makes.”

“But how do I do it?”

“Wanna take this one De?” Jasmine grinned.

“Oh sure I’m the expert,” she grumbled but knew it was for Maggie’s sake.

“Well according to you, you’ve never had any complaints in that department.”

“Fine. Mags, if you don’t feel comfortable with your mouth at first, start with your hand. Just gently stroke him. Keep a steady rhythm. And so you don’t freak out, it will grow.”

“And grow. And grow,” Jasmine added with a deviant grin.

“Then when you feel comfortable using your mouth, you just relax your throat and make sure your teeth don’t touch him. At least not firmly. Dave likes it when I graze mine a little,” Camille sated.

“That is too much information Cam,” Jasmine teased her.

“So he’s really good to you huh?” De said.

“Well I don’t have anyone to compare him to but he’s patient with me,” Maggie blushed for the umpteenth time.

“Oh girls. This definitely calls for a celebration. We got the cute boy from the coffee shop. Well she did the hard part.”

“I have to get dressed first.”

“Sure thing.”

Camille followed her into the bedroom.”Mags?”

“Yeah?” She turned from the closet.

“You know you don’t have to go with us. I know what it’s like to miss your guy.”

“No. I’ll be fine.”

“We didn’t make you feel uncomfortable did we?”

“Oddly enough no. You’re the first people in my life that aren’t afraid to be who you are.”

“So things are going really well then I take it?”

“Very well but there was something else Cam.”

“Yeah?”

“Birth control. I’ve never been to a ‘female’ doctor before and we can’t keep depending on condoms for that.”

“You want me to go with you ?”

“Well you don’t have to be in the room with me but go to the office.”

“I can do that.”

“Thank you lady I owe you guys more than I’ll ever be able to repay.”

“Buy us a round every once in awhile and we can call it good,” Camille teased.

She knew Camille was giving her a hard time and with any luck, thanks to her girls, she’d be giving Brian one soon.
Chapter 23 by Simple Sue
Brian arrived home late Sunday evening so he decided to surprise Maggie at work on Monday. He was pretty sure they knew she had a man in her life by now and if they didn’t, they would by the end of that day. He loved watching her read to the little ones. She was going to make a great mother someday. He hadn’t really thought about that much until he’d spent time with his own mother that weekend. Women have this amazing instinct to know when something is going on in your life and his mom had pushed him for information until he spilled the beans about Maggie. Even his Father was excited to meet her.

He’d called Maggie Saturday night but he didn’t tell her about his folks wanting to meet her just yet. Figured it might be a good idea to wait until he could do that in person. Plus, he kind of had to ease her into his world where all of it was concerned. He was curious to meet her family considering everything they’d been through and how sheltered her parents had kept her throughout her early years. Just from talking to her he could tell her formative years weren’t what every teenage girl dreams of. She had no first kisses, no sweet sixteen Birthday party, no prom. She even told him her mother made her bake her own Birthday cake on her sixteenth Birthday. He tried being objective but he really wasn’t liking her Mom thus far. He continued to watch her weave the magical tales the little minds were captivated by. Heck, she had him under her spell the minute he laid eyes on her in the coffee shop.

He waited until the crowd dissipated before he approached the corner where she was straightening up her props and books. It had taken all his strength just to hold back. He waited for her to turn because he didn’t want to scare her. She was wearing her favorite color that was quickly becoming his favorite too. The peach color just suited her. It was her signature. When she turned, her eyes lit up like a child’s on Christmas morning. Sure they’d been apart before but it was different now. “Hey there angel.”

He was home. Finally! She missed him so much it wasn’t even funny. She wanted to grab him and kiss him like she’d never do it again but she was in the workplace so she couldn’t do that. Tonight. She could ravage him then. Or not. She was still concerned with the whole contraception thing and she knew even once she started taking the pills, it would be a month before they even took effect. It was part of her research. It was amongst the many things she did this weekend to keep herself busy. “I missed you so much.”

“So can you take a break or did I come at a bad time?”

“Not at all. Give me just a minute to let Kari know I’m taking a break and I’ll be right with you.”

“Sure thing beautiful.”

She pecked him lightly on the cheek before she went off in search of her superior. She couldn’t believe he showed up at work. They’d seen him once before but now she was dating him and doing things with him she never did before. That was the fun part she mused. After letting Kari know she was taking a short break, she returned to Brian. She took his hand and led him outside. There was still a chill in the air but not like it had been. Once they were out of the public view, he pulled her into his arms and kissed her with all the life in him. With his arms around her, she forgot how cold it was outside. She wanted to stay wrapped up in his arms forever now. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you so much I couldn’t wait until dinner tonight,” he returned with a grin.

“So did you have a good time with your family this weekend?”

“The best in a long time but there was one thing missing.”

“What’s that?”

“You. I wish you would have reconsidered.”

“I still think it’s too soon but I do want to meet them someday.”

“They like you already.”

“How is that possible?”

“Because you make me happy and that’s all that matters to them.”

Maggie blushed.” You make me happy.”

“So Miss Maggie, this research you were doing?”

“It involved you and youtube. “

Now it was his turn to blush.

“What? I know what youtube is. I loved it. I thought it was neat to see you from the fan’s perspective. I know why your fans are so loyal now. Why they love you so much.”

“And?” He grinned.

“Now you’re just fishing.” She smacked his chest playfully.

“So what did YOU think of it?”

“I think I missed out on some great stuff in my teenage years because of my Mother.”

“I know you and your mom don’t get along very well but she is still your mom.”

“I know and I do love her. She just doesn’t love me very much or she would have let me have all those things a teenage girl is supposed to have. I talked to my grandma about it once but never got into the real reason why she was so overprotective.” She didn’t want things to turn so serious but maybe it was good that they did. She never really went into the why’s and how’s of the relationship with the woman that gave birth to her. She knew she didn’t get her heart from her mother because she learned all too quickly that her mother didn’t have one when it came to her. Grandma always said it was because she was prettier than her mom but she didn’t buy that for a minute. Never understood why her father was so in love. Guess you really can’t explain the whole concept. Here she was with the most giving man in the world and for the life of her she couldn’t understand why a man that had been around the world wanted to be with a woman that hadn’t gone outside her backyard. Her family’s summer vacations consisted of the annual family reunion in the next town over. Real worldly eh?

“Did you ever talk to your mom about it?”

“No. I don’t warrant enough importance for her to take three minutes. Could we talk about something else?”

“Sure.” He knew it was a rough subject so he let it go.

She sniffled as she managed to control the tears welling in her eyes.” You are the most wonderful man in the world.”

“Don’t you ever doubt for a second that you’re not incredible because I think you’re the best .”

She smiled. “I love you.”

“I love you too but I need to let you get back to work. I’ll see you tonight.”

He gave her a quick kiss and left. If she had any lingering doubts about their relationship, she didn’t anymore. She now knew he’d be there for her no matter what the obstacle.
Chapter 24 by Simple Sue
Maggie was cooking dinner when his arms slid around her waist. He nuzzled her neck as she stirred the pasta sauce. He was very distracting when he wanted to be and she enjoyed the attention most of the time but she still hadn’t approached the subject of birth control on her part. They were being careful and so far no scares but she wanted to be as close to one hundred proof as they possibly could.

Nibbling on her ear, he whispered,” I like it when you wear your hair down but I’m really glad it’s up right now.”

“Why’s that?” She replied; her resolve fading as his hands slid under her blouse.

“Because I like nibbling on you.” As he trailed down her neck.

“Brian. Dinner’s gonna burn.”

“Let it.” His hand had slid down under her leggings.

She knew she had to stop him. It was time. She was going for her first appointment in two days and it was something they really needed to discuss. “Brian. Please stop.” Oh crap! That came out the wrong way. She didn’t want to sound agitated but once his fingers found his way inside her body, it was all over and she wasn’t about to let it get that far.

He pulled back immediately. He hated being a guy in thinking it was that time but she had to at some point. Maybe she had when he was gone. Stop it you fool. She trusts you enough now to tell you those things.

She turned around and saw the look on his face. Maybe there was a reason not to get involved with men after all. She couldn’t stand seeing him look like he’d just lost his best friend. Wasn’t she supposed to be his best friend now? Well at least the one that could make him feel good between the sheets. Now she wasn’t so sure she was even that. “I’m sorry but we need to talk about something we’ve never really talked about before.”

He exhausted a deep breath then took her hand. “I’m sorry too. I just thought you didn’t want me to touch you anymore.”

“Trust me Brian. I like the way you touch me.” She bit her lip nervously. It was going to be harder than she thought.

“What is it angel?”

“I know we’ve been playing it safe on your part but I just think maybe we should hold off a little until I’m a little more protected y’know?” She looked shyly to the ground.

He tilted her chin back up. So that’s what this was about. She was afraid of getting pregnant. Well now she was. But she was right. They needed to slow down. “ You’re right. We do need to talk about it. I want to have children with you someday but I’d like to have a little more time with you before we do.”

“Me too. A month isn’t a lot to ask of you then?”

He chuckled. “I’ve waited a lifetime for you Maggie, one month isn’t going to be a burden.”

“This was easier than I thought.” She grinned.

“Was it now?” He pulled her into his arms.

“Unless you want a sticky plate of fettucini, I suggest you let me go Mr.Littrell.”

“Oh all right but after dinner, I get a snuggle on the couch right?”

“Of course.” She pecked him on the lips and returned to dinner.



But the office visit wasn’t all sunshine and roses. She had her initial visit and she thought that would be it but the gynecologist wanted to run a few more tests before she put her on the pill. How do you tell your boyfriend that it may be longer than a month? You don’t.

Her stomach was twisted in knots for a week before she got the results back. She knew she could be honest with Brian but she just didn’t want him to worry unless there was anything to worry about. Camille and Maggie were sitting in the doctor’s office waiting for the doctor to get to her.

Camille rubbed her friend’s hand comfortingly.” I’m sure everything’s gonna be okay Mags.”

She took a deep breath. “Thanks for coming with me today Cam. I really needed the support.”

“Mags, I don’t take enough personal days. It was no trouble.”

“Thank you again.”

“I apologize for the delay Miss Nelson.” Dr. Andrews sat down at the large desk across from herself and Camille. “ You seem to be in perfect health Miss Nelson.”

“But there is something wrong isn’t there?” Maggie gripped Camille’s hand tighter.

“Yes there is. There’s no easy way to tell any woman this but you may not need birth control.”

“What do you mean?”

“There is a very real possibility you may not be able to have children.”

Maggie’s lower lip started trembling. This was not happening. Her mother already hated her for being a ‘old maid’ now she wouldn’t be able to give her grandchildren? It just kept getting better and better.

“Miss Nelson. I can’t to begin understand what you’re feeling but if you’d like a second opinion, I’d be more than willing to recommend some.”

Maggie nodded as the tears started falling. She heard the doctor speaking but she was talking more to Camille at that point. She met the man of her dreams and not two weeks after he tells her he wants to have children with her one day, she’s been told that she might not be able to give him that gift.

“Maggie. Hun. Talk to me,” Camille begged.

Maggie was so overwhelmed. Why? Just when she thought her life was coming together, it started falling apart. It wasn’t fair! “How am I gonna tell him?”

“What do you mean?”

“We talked about this. He wants children one day and now I can’t have them?!”

“I don’t know Mags. “

“I meet this great guy and now I have to tell him this. I don’t think I can stand losing him.”

“Mags you’re not gonna lose him.” Camille reassured her.

“How do you know?”

“He’s a good guy. That’s how.”

Maggie’s phone started going off . Camille grabbed it from Maggie’s hand and answered it.” Hey Brian. Can she call you back? She’s a little busy right now.”

“Sure. Is everything okay?”

“Fine. I’ll have her call you.” After hanging up, she looked at Maggie. “Mags, we gotta go. I’ll keep you company as long as you like but the doctor won’t let us stay here forever.”

Maggie nodded. She hoped she was able to break this to him. This was a time when a girl really needed her mother and she wasn’t about to turn to hers. Thank God for her friends!
Chapter 25 by Simple Sue
Maggie spent the better part of the morning crying on Camille’s shoulder. She was right about Brian being a stand-up guy but even this could bring the strongest and bravest of men to their knees. She knew they could talk about anything and if they made it through this, it truly would be a God sent miracle. Why her? Why did she have to be one of those women that couldn’t bear children? Why?! It made absolutely no sense at all. She prayed her mother were a different kind of woman but this would surely be the death of what little relationship they did have.

“Maggie? How ‘bout I fix us a little tea? I know it’s not gonna solve your problem but it might help you relax a little.”

She nodded and followed Camille into her own kitchen. “Cam?”

“Yeah?” She turned back to Maggie with the box of tea bags in her hand. The water was already heating up.

“I need to call him don’t I?”

“I think you should. I’m sure he’s worried about you.”

“I’m scared Camille.”

“Maggie. I’m not going to lie to you. It’s gonna be tough but the boy isn’t going to leave you. He’s one of the good ones. You got lucky, lady.”

“So did you.”

“So don’t worry about it.”

“Have I told you what a good friend you are?”

“I know you’d do the same for me Mags. It’s no trouble.”

“Thank you.”

“Anytime lady,” Camille replied just as the knock on the door came. She exchanged looks with Maggie. “I’ll bet it’s Brian.”

“I’ll get it.” Gathering herself because she knew she looked a mess and he’d seen her worse off than this, she opened the door. “Hi.”

“You don’t look so good angel. Something we need to talk about?” He said as he stepped inside the apartment.

Maggie nodded.

Camille grabbed her purse and said, “You two need to be alone. I’ll talk to you later.”

“What’s going on baby?” He said as he took her hand in his.

“I saw my doctor this morning.”

“You’re not dying on me are ya?” He remarked as they sat on the couch.

She gave him a slight smile. “No but it’s not good either. Remember how we were talking about having children one day?”

“Yeah.”

“I know we haven’t even talked about marriage yet but I may not be able to give you children if we ever do get to that point.”

He hesitated for a moment. What was he supposed to say? She was right. They hadn’t even talked about marriage but if they were talking about wanting children, it was there.

He gently took her hand and pulled her closer to him. When she’s pressed against him he tilts her face up to his. “I love you Maggie. Only you. You believe that, don’t you?” She nodded. “Then believe this. We’ll try whatever we can. Second opinions, specialists, the works…IF you want to try. We can always adopt. Did you think I’d run because of this?” She nodded and his heart broke. “Maggie…I can’t believe you thought this would chase me away.”

Tears spilled down her cheeks. “Brian…I’m sorry. I just…”

He stood and moved away. “Maggie, I’m sad you may not be able to have children. My heart is aching, not just for me, but you. But…if you thought this would chase me away...we have to talk about this.”

She sniffled. “Brian, please. I’m sorry. You’re the first man I’ve ever been in love with. I’m afraid every move I make will chase you away. Please, please don’t leave me!”

Her hysterics sent him rushing to her side. He hauled her against his body. “I’m sorry Baby. I’m not going anywhere. You just…you have to have more faith in me. God brought us to this, he’s gonna bring us through it. Together. You just have to have faith.”

She knew he loved her but this was going to be a big obstacle. She should really listen to her friend. He was one of the good guys. The whistle of the tea kettle interrupted her thoughts briefly. “I should get that. I was gonna have some tea. Would you like to have some with me?”

“Sure.” He let her go and followed her to the kitchen. He watched as she pulled the mugs from the cabinet after removing the kettle from the burner.

She turned back and sat the mugs on the counter next to the tea box. She removed two bags from the box and placed them in the cups. She poured the boiling water into each one then sat it back on the back corner of the stove. She turned and looked him in the eye. “I’ve made a complete fool of myself. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s okay Maggie. We’ll figure this out. Together.”

“I think we need to discuss something else while we’re at it today.”

“What’s that?”

“The reason you have such an insecure girlfriend.”

He chuckled at her comment. “Unsure maybe but not insecure. Heck, I’m afraid if I introduce you to my friends one of them might snatch you away.”

She blushed.” I wouldn’t let them but I do need to tell you something about my relationship with my mother.”

“Are you sure you want to talk about it in light of everything that’s happened today?”

“I think it’s kind of necessary.”

“Then fire away angel. You have my undivided attention.”

“Well you know I never dated in high school and the one time I tried my Mom found out what my friends were doing and it never happened so when I got to college, I had no clue what I was doing and the first party I went to with Camille, I almost ended up doing something I would have regretted.”

“So that’s why you two are so close.”

“Yeah but my Mom put this fear of God in me against men. Like you’re all evil and only out for one thing and to her that one thing should only be for procreation.”

“And she expected you to find a man how?”

“Well I was supposed to stay home and let the hometown boys court me until I found one that was worthy of her approval instead of running off to college.”

“Didn’t she go to school?”

“No. She and my Dad were high school sweethearts. They got married almost right out of high school. I think they broke up at one point for what reason I don’t know. That’s more than my Mom ever told me. I got that from my grandma.”

“So it was okay for her to date and get married out of high school but you had to wait?”

“I never understood it either so now you have a little insight to me.”

“Not to you. It’s your mother that’s screwed up. She raised a very beautiful and intelligent woman. If she can’t open her eyes to how wonderful the rest of the world finds you then it’s her loss.”

Maggie slid her arms around Brian’s neck and softly kissed him. “You are a truly wonderful man and I will never doubt the way you feel about me again.”

“I know you won’t but I have a question for you. How would you feel about meeting my folks?”
Chapter 26 by Simple Sue
It’d been a month since he’d asked her that question and she agreed. She had a three day weekend so they decided it would be best considering the amount of work she had missed because of her ‘breakdown’. Her nerves were starting to get the better of her as they rode in silence in the rental car to his parents’ home. She felt his hand smooth over hers and she turned from the window.

“You have nothing to worry about angel. My parents already love you.”

“They don’t even know me Brian.”

“They know you make me happier than I’ve ever been in my entire life and that’s all that matters to them. “

“Your entire life?” Maggie’s brows rose curiously as they pulled to a halt in his parents’ drive. No pressure there.

“Maggie baby, I love you. I know you’re scared but my parents are harmless.”

“Even after the others you brought home?”

“Especially after the ones I brought home. They don’t want to scare you off.”

“I’m just afraid mine will do that to you.”

“Maggie, I love you with all my heart and if your folks are as old world as I think they are, your father is going to appreciate the fact that I ask for your hand in marriage.”

Her eyes widened. This was news. They’d talked a little about it but going so far as to get down on bended knee? She didn’t think he was ready so soon after the most recent one. She thought he’d be gunshy of the whole institution after that Hollywood starlet left him standing at the altar.

“Why are you so surprised?”

“I don’t know.”

“This isn’t the official proposal angel but we are going to look at rings very soon.”

Maggie reached over and pulled his mouth to hers. She didn’t care that his parents could walk out and find them this way at all. Her mother would have a field day but she didn’t care about that anymore either. After all the toads she’d kissed, prince charming had arrived.” Let’s do this.”

“So that’s all I had to do to get you to make the first move?” He teased.

“You’re lucky I love you,” Maggie grinned. “Now, are we going in or are we going to wait and let your parents find us?”

“I was just waiting for you,” he replied as he got out and went around to open her door. He took her hand; assisting her. Her skirt fell back down over her knees. It wasn’t terribly long but it was the same one she wore the day she met him .

“Have I told you how beautiful you look today?”

“About a million times but one more time might help before we get to the door.”

He closed the car door and held her hand as they made their way up the path to the house. They say you know when you’ve found the one you want to share the rest of your life with but it wasn’t until Maggie came along that he believed the truth in it. He’d marry her today if she’d agree to it but he was going to do it the right way and meet her parents as well before he made the formal request for her to become his wife. “You’re gonna be fine Maggie. Just be yourself.”

“They might not find out much about me that way then, “Maggie joked.

He squeezed her hand reassuringly and pushed the door open slightly; calling out for them.

No sooner had he called then they were at the front door to greet them. Maggie waited as he greeted his parents. She wished her family were more like his. They actually cared about one another.

“Mom. Dad. I’d like you to meet my girlfriend Maggie. Maggie, this is my Dad, Harold.”

“It’s nice to finally meet you. He goes on and on about you every time he talks to us,” Harold said.

Maggie smiled. “It’s nice to meet you Mister Littrell. I think he’s pretty special too.”

“Please call me Harold. “

“Okay.” Maggie nodded.

“Maggie, this is my mother Jackie.”

“He wasn’t lying when he told me you were a vision young lady. Let’s let the boys get your luggage and you can tell me what he hasn’t told me about yourself,” Jackie said.

She looked at Brian and it was the first time she’d seen him blush. At least they were matching now. She wasn’t used to such openness. She was enjoying it if the truth be told. “Okay.”

“Come into the kitchen with me.”

“Are you going to be okay with my mom?” Brian whispered in her ear.

Maggie giggled.” Go get the luggage.”

“Yes ma’am.” Brian left his mother and Maggie alone. He had been worried she was going to get put off by how comfortable and laid back things were here but she was easing into very nicely. Like she belonged there.


“So tell me Maggie, how did you meet my boy?” Jackie inquired point blank.

“Well, I met him online first but I didn’t know it was him. We frequent the same coffee house but had no idea we were talking to each other on our computers. He finally got the nerve up to sit down and introduce himself one day then a few nights later online, he asked to meet me at the coffee house. I felt like I was betraying him but I told him I’d met someone but he still wanted to meet me. So the next morning, we met at a different location and he held a peach colored rose so I could find him. We had our first date that weekend.”

“Breathe child,” Jackie said as she reached across the table and took Maggie’s fidgety hands.

“I’m sorry.”

“There’s no need to apologize. Brian’s told me a little about your family. Don’t feel as if you have to be guarded here. We love our son very much and from what I can tell, so do you.”

“I do.” Maggie knew she had a goofy grin going on and didn’t care one bit. She liked his mother. So unlike hers.

“Can I ask you something Maggie?”

“Sure.”

“Is Brian treating you good?”

“Better than I deserve sometimes I think.”

“Oh sweetheart, what did your parents do to you?”

Oh great! A pity party for Maggie. Shut up! She told her conscience. Unlike hers, his mother actually did listen when she talked.” It wasn’t my parents. It was my mother. I didn’t date until my senior year of college because she made me fear men.”

Jackie looked at her; puzzled.

“My mother thought I would have been better off staying home and waiting for prince charming to ride up on his horse instead of getting out in the world and discovering it. I think sometimes she resents me for doing what she never took the time to do.”

“So she’s not happy with the life you’ve led?”

“No. She’s thinks I’m an old maid.”

“Oh dear, I’m so sorry to hear that.”

“I know somewhere deep down she loves me and I’ve just come to terms with the fact that she’s not a very affectionate woman.”

“Well you better prepare yourself then young lady because we got plenty of it to go around here.” Jackie smiled. Poor child. She never got to be a normal teenage girl.

Maggie returned the gesture and replied,” I think I could get used to that.”
Chapter 27 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


I apologize for the lack of updates. My muse disappeared for a bit but it's slowly coming back. Hopefully the updates won't be so sporadic. With that, please enjoy the latest! :)


Brian popped the trunk of the car and closed the door; joining his father in pulling out the luggage. He was still a little worried about Maggie with his mother. Mom was never afraid to say what was on her mind whereas Dad only spoke his when he felt strongly about something.

“You got yourself a nice girl there son. Have you talked about settling down and starting a family yet?”

And there it was. He prayed to God Mom hadn’t said anything. They were still adjusting to the possibility of Maggie never getting pregnant and the week after they got back from the trip, they were going in for that second opinion that her doctor offered. He was a grown man but how do you tell your father something like this? He obviously knew he’d had sex at least through one relationship but he didn’t want his folks to assume that he and Maggie were already having relations. He was going to have to bite the bullet and explain this one to his Dad so his Mom wouldn’t say anything to upset Maggie. He stopped lifting the luggage out of the vehicle and waited for his Dad to follow suite.

“Something on your mind son?”

“Dad, I don’t know how to tell you this so I’m just going to come out and say it. Maggie and I may not be able to have children of our own.” He waited for his father’s reaction. He thought his dad would freak out when given this kind of information but his father surprised him.

“Are they for certain on this Brian?”

“Her doctor recommended another physician if she wanted a second opinion so I’m pretty sure the second one’s going to confirm what hers already told her.”

“You haven’t told her that have you?”

“No. She needs my strength right now but I honestly don’t know how much longer I can do this for her. It’s killing me as much as it is her. I told her God brought us to this and that he would get us through it as well.”

“Then keep believing that son. God won’t give you any more than you can handle. Be there when she needs your shoulder.”

“Thanks Dad but I could use a shoulder myself these days.”

Without hesitation, Harold offered his shoulder to his son. He couldn’t understand what Brian was going through but he would certainly be there for his boy.

“I love her Dad. I just don’t know long I can be her strength.”

“The Lord will help you find a way. I know I’m not much of a talker but if you ever need me to listen, you know I’m here for you.”


“I wish Maggie’s parents were more like you guys,” He said as he pulled away from his father.

“I don’t follow.”

“I don’t think hers are going to be quite as understanding about our relationship as you guys.”

“What? They don’t want her to fall in love and settle down?”

“No. Just from what I get about her mother, she isn’t the most loving woman on this earth. She didn’t let Maggie date in high school. Maggie didn’t date until her senior year of college Dad.”

“I see. Just let me give you this piece of advice, no matter what, you love her and I think you’re perfect for each other.”

“Thanks Dad.”

“And there are plenty of children in the world that need love if it should ever become an option for you two.”

He didn’t want to think the worst but he couldn’t think of much else these days. After they met her parents, he and the guys were going back into the studio to record the next album. He knew Maggie had Camille to lean on and from the looks of it, she’d have his folks as well now.

“We need to get indoors before your mother sends out a search party,” Harold stated; shaking Brian from his thoughts.

Brian nodded in agreement as he removed the remaining luggage from the car.

“Whatever happens Brian, you two will get through this.”



Later that evening after dinner, they settled into their room. His folks weren’t going to deny the fact that they were intimate but also respected the fact that they were adults. Maggie had finished her nightly routine and was waiting in bed for him.” Are you sure your folks are okay with us being in the same room?” She said as he slid into bed next to her.

“Maggie, my folks love you. They know we’re consenting adults.”

She blushed. She knew her friends knew she was part of the “club” now but it was a little embarrassing to know his folks had first-hand knowledge.

“Baby, I had to tell my Dad about our situation. He thinks we’re a great match and he asked when we were going to settle down and have little ones.” He didn’t want to have to approach the subject with her this weekend but it was unavoidable.

She should have been upset but she wasn’t. She knew they’d eventually find out. It was still a fresh subject that they were dealing with so she didn’t make a big deal about.” It’s okay. I’m surprised your mom didn’t ask first.”

“Me too. So how are you with my folks?”

“I don’t know why I was so nervous. I love your family. I can’t wait to become a part of it.” Oops! That sounded a little too eager.

“I can’t wait for you to become a part of it either angel. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’ll be fine. You told me God brought us to this, he’ll get us through it. He’s going to get us through. We’ll dwell on it when we have to. I’m here with you spending a lovely weekend with you. Let’s enjoy it.”

“Have I told you how much I love you today?”

“I love you,” Maggie smiled and softly kissed him; snuggling up on his chest. She finally had got past that insecurity of him leaving her. It was all so new to her but it was new to him as well. Whatever happened, they would make it through. Together.
Chapter 28 by Simple Sue
Maggie snuggled up against his chest the next morning as they both were fighting that edge of sleep. The one where your dream is so good you don’t want to wake up because you want to find out what happens or you just don’t feel like moving. He loved watching her sleep and he missed when she wasn’t cuddled up against him. Her eyes fluttered open and she smiled dreamily.

“Good morning handsome.”

“Morning angel. Sleep well?”

“I always sleep well when I’m wrapped up in your arms.”

“I do like waking up to that beautiful smile of yours when you’re here.”

Her lips pressed lightly against his bare chest before she looked up into his eyes.” You remember that conversation we had about your parents knowing that we’re consenting adults?”

“I do recall that.”

Pressing her lips to his bare skin once again, she looked back up into his eyes and suggested,” I was thinking maybe we could test that theory this morning before breakfast.”

“My, my Miss Maggie. What would my parents think if they knew this side of you?”

“I’m hoping you’re the only that ever knows this side of me.” She smiled and leaned up; softly brushing her lips against his.

“How do you look so gorgeous every morning when you wake up?”

“I get up in the middle of the night and make myself beautiful especially for you.” She grinned mischievously.

“Is that so?” He replied with a smirk as he pushed the hair back from her face.

“I love the way your eyes light up.”

“You wouldn’t be trying to distract me now would you?”

“Lil ole me? Never!” She batted her lashes innocently; producing a reaction.

“ I think it’s about time I taught you a lesson young lady,” he stated flatly and turned her onto her back; illiciting a squeal of protest from Maggie.

“I know a lot Mr.Littrell,” Maggie replied; wriggling beneath him as he had her pinned to the bed.

“That’s gonna cost you young lady.” His fingers tangled with hers as he leaned in and teased her with the promise of a kiss.

“Renegging already?” She toyed as his breath met hers.

“Just thinking about that sweet little spot.” He moved from her lips and just below her earlobe. Oh yeah! There it was. All it took was the flick of his tongue and she was butter. He moved his eyes back to hers.

“So when’s this lesson supposed to start?” She bit her lip playfully. Sure he hit a weak spot but he wasn’t about to win right off the bat.

“You’re lucky I didn’t bring my ruler.”

“I think you have something that can measure my pleasure just as well.”

“Let’s explore that.” His hands slid slowly down the length of her pinned arms. He moved downward and tugged her nipple through the thin material of her gown. He was moving beneath the sheets when the knock on the door interrupted them.

“Rise and shine sleepyheads. Breakfast in ten,” Jackie announced.

Brian stopped immediately and Maggie giggled. “We’ll be down shortly, “ Maggie replied.

“What’s my son doing that he shouldn’t be able to answer his mother?”

“Nothing. Good morning Mom,” he replied as he came up over Maggie from underneath the sheet.

“I’ll see you two downstairs shortly,” she returned.

Her footsteps receeded down the hall and Maggie started giggling when she saw the color of Brian’s face. She’d never seen him blush once.

“What?” The crimson shade on his face deepened.

“You. I’ve never seen you blush. Ever. It’s cute.”

“We get caught in the midst of a morning quickie and you think it’s cute?”

“Oh come on, don’t tell me your mother never caught you with a girl up in your room when you were in high school?”

“ That was high school.”

“I get it. I don’t even have that kind of story to tell….until now,” Maggie teased.

He chuckled. “I love you Maggie.”

“I love you too. Now one of us needs to get freshened up and head downstairs so your mom doesn’t get any more suspicious of your activities sir.”

“Well since it doesn’t take me that long to get all gussied up, I’ll hit the shower first.”

“Watch yourself or I may withhold on you.”

“You can’t resist me,” he smirked and leaned in for a kiss only to be denied as she turned so his lips hit her cheek.

“Fine. I’ll go get ready.” He pouted.

“I was just kidding,” Maggie said and softly kissed him when she was face to face again.

“Okay. Now I’ll go get ready.” He grinned. He knew his mother could care less about what he was doing at his age but it was still embarrassing.



Maggie arrived downstairs shortly after Brian did and Jackie greeted her warmly.” Good morning Maggie. Did you sleep well?”

“I did thank you. I couldn’t wait to get down here. It smells delicious.”

“Well aren’t you just the sweetest. Thank you. Brian says it’s one of your favorites.”

“It is. Is there anything else I can help with?”

“You just sit your pretty little self down and let my son take care of you.”

“He always does,” Maggie replied as he held a chair out for her.

He took the chair besides hers and smiled in response to the innuendo Maggie had produced.

After his father said a prayer, they started dishing up the biscuits and sausage gravy.

“So did Brian tell you about the time I came home and caught him ‘rehearsing lines’ for the school play?” Jackie said.

“Mom! “Brian protested and turned bright red. He wanted to crawl under the table instead of having Maggie looking at him like she was. She was getting a kick out of it. She was trying to stifle her smile but she couldn’t help it.

Maggie placed her hand on his thigh under the table then whispered in his ear. “You’re really cute when you blush.”

“She was a pretty little brunette like you too Maggie,” Jackie continued.

“Just put me out of my misery now,” Brian pleaded.

“I think it’s sweet," Maggie said.

He turned his gaze to hers and the redness started to fade. She was the sweet one.
Chapter 29 by Simple Sue
“My God Mags. Look at you!” Jasmine exclaimed as she and Deidre entered the house. Brian was letting her use it for their ‘book’ club.

“Oh yeah, you’ve definitely got that glow. In fact, it looks pretty fresh,” Deidre teased.

Maggie blushed but it was true. They’d had a little fun before he left to hang with some of his friends for a couple of hours.

“Oh yeah! So where is Mr. wonderful?” Jasmine said.

“He’s out with some friends.”

“Has he introduced you to any of them yet?”

“Not yet but he did just introduce me to his parents so don’t be getting suspect just yet. Besides, after he meets my parents, he’s going to introduce me to the guys before they get to work on the next album.”

“Well you’ve got this all figured out girlfriend. I’m proud of you,” Deidre said.

“So what are his ‘rents like lady?” Jasmine said.

“I love his parents. His mom is so cool. His dad’s kind of quiet but really nice,” Maggie gushed. She couldn’t help herself. They were the nicest people in the world. The kind of parents she wished she had.

“Kind of like your boy huh?”

“It’s those quiet ones you have to watch out for I’ve been told,” Deidre teased.

“You guys!”Maggie protested.

“Come on Mags. You know he’s a stud behind closed doors.”

The doorbell rang. “Don’t even think about it,”she ordered and went to answer the door.

“Pizza a la Camille,” she announced as she made her way through the door carrying a piping hot pizza and bottle of wine.

“You’re lucky the food’s here. I’m starving, “ Deidre grinned and followed Camille.

Jasmine linked her arm through Maggie’s and said,” If we didn’t love you so much we wouldn’t tease you Mags. Plus, I’m kind of jealous you got a guy with such a cute butt.”

Her friends were jealous of her? That was a first but it felt kind of good. “He does doesn’t he?” Maggie smiled.

“Just the right amount to hold onto.”

“I can’t argue that.”

“Mags! Shame on you!” Jasmine feigned shocked as they laughed.

“Well it’s true.”

“So what are you two talking about?” Camille had made herself more familiar than she already was in the kitchen.

“Brian’s cute little butt,” Jasmine shot out.

“He does have a nice ass,” Deidre agreed.

“Come on you guys! This is my boyfriend we’re talking about,” Maggie protested.

“Oh come on Mags. You’re gonna have to get used to it. I’m sure there are plenty of his fans out there that think the same thing,” Camille supplied as though it were an actual fact.

Maggie knew it was true. If he was going to be the man in her life, it was something she was going to have to deal with. “Okay. Enough about me guys, how are things going with you?”

“Well I did start seeing this guy a couple of weeks ago,” Jasmine spoke up.

“And you’re here with us?”

“I know. What was I thinking in turning down a romantic evening with my boyfriend?”

“Ha, ha. Anyone special for you right now De?”

“No but there are a few prospects,” She replied and took a bite of her pizza.

“So Mags, you never did tell me what happened with that second opinion,” Camille casually dropped the subject into their conversation.

Maggie pulled a slice of pizza from the box and laid it on her plate.

“Did we miss something?” Jasmine said.

“You want to tell them ?” Camille cocked her brow inquisitively.

After finishing her first bite, Maggie looked to the uninformed parties in the room. “ When I went in for my female exam, the doctor said I may never be able to have children so when we got back from his parents, Brian went with me for the second opinion that Camille was asking about and that doctor told us basically the same thing.”

“Oh Mags, I’m so sorry,” Camille said and pulled her into a hug.

“Camille, I’m okay. We’ve talked about the options we have,” Maggie replied as she pulled away.

“Wow. You got yourself a good man there Mags. Does he have a single brother?” Deidre joked.

“He has a brother but he’s not single.”

“Damn!” Deidre laughed.

“Okay enough seriousness. I’ll give you the grand tour and then you can give me more grief about my
boyfriend, “ Maggie said as they continued carrying on.



Brian arrived home about the time Maggie and the girls were saying their goodbyes. He was so nice to her friends and they even thanked him for letting them use the house (which was unusual for most of them). She closed the door and turned to find him patiently waiting for her.

“Did you have a good time? “ He smiled as he approached her.

“It was very nice. Did you have a nice evening out?”

“I did but I missed you,” he said with a smile and pulled her away from the door.

“I missed you,” Maggie replied and slid her arms around his neck.

“I think we should go upstairs and miss each other.” His lips softly brushed hers.

“I think we should start down here,” Maggie suggested and kissed him full on the lips.

“I’m gonna have to be careful with you young lady.”

“You love it and you know it.”

“I love you Maggie.” It was so nice to have someone in his life that shared it with him instead of wanting to be involved in every part. He just prayed that Maggie’s dad would give his permission when he asked for her hand next weekend.
Chapter 30 by Simple Sue
They pulled up in front of her parents’ home early the next Friday evening. He was nervous moreso because of the question he was going to ask her father but they were both on edge because of her mother in general. He knew Maggie loved her mother but only because she was family. She never had a real mother/daughter relationship until his mom came along. Maggie finally had that one thing that she’d missed out on all her life. It was amazing that Maggie didn’t turn to women for what he understood her mother told her of men.

Maggie turned to him and said,” Ready to do this?” Her dad wasn’t the big obstacle. It was her mother. Always her mother. She never approved of anything Maggie did. Why would she believe that Connie would approve of Brian? Just because he had strong religious values, that would make no difference to her. She would focus on his lifestyle. He was a musician. Musicians were deviants period in her book.
She was going to face her mother this weekend and she would have the strength to do it because Brian was by her side. It took some time but he made her believe she could do anything.

He squeezed her hand reassuringly despite his anxiousness and replied,” We’re going to be fine angel. We’ve got a higher power than her on our side remember?” He joked.

“ I love you so much,” she smiled and leaned over; softly kissing him.

“I love you too baby. “ He exited the rental car and traveled around the back to open her door for her. When she was out of the car, he took her hand and started walking toward the front door. She stopped him and kissed him more passionately than he’d ever known her to. “What was that?”

“The last bit of passion you’re gonna know for the next three days handsome,” she replied; her lips softly brushing his for what she knew would be the last time as she heard the familiar clearing of her mother’s throat.

Not a good first impression but it’s not like they had their tongues down each other’s throats either. He always let Maggie take the lead on their public displays. Although they did make out in the back row of the movies a couple of nights ago. She was getting braver. He could see Maggie paint on her smile and greet her mother. Maggie was a younger version of her mother and that was a good thing considering her mother didn’t look like she should have a daughter Maggie’s age. However, the discerning brow he was getting from her did not make her very attractive. He was thankful that Maggie had never picked up on that.

“Mom, I’d like you to meet Brian. Brian, this is my mother, Connie,” Maggie introduced them. Her heart was in her throat with the anticipation of her mother’s next move. Shoot! Even what she could say to him in the first five minutes frightened Maggie.

Brian stepped forward and smiled. “It’s nice to finally meet you Mrs. Nelson. I’ve heard so much about you.”

“I’m sure nothing good,” She replied.

Here we go! Just as she thought things might get worse before better, her father appeared on the porch. He picked her up and swung her around before setting her down. “Look at you Maggie Sue! I hardly recognize my sweet girl.”

She blushed but her father had always been warmer than her mother. Maybe she had a heart in there somewhere when they were alone but in public , she was always so icy. “ Daddy, I’d like you to meet my boyfriend Brian Littrell. Brian, this is my father Steve.”

With his right arm around Maggie’s shoulder, he extended his left hand to Brian and smiled warmly.” It’s nice to meet you young man. I’ve heard a lot of good things about you.”

“As have I Mr. Nelson. It’s nice to meet you.”

“No need to be so formal. Please call me Steve.”

“Thank you.”

“So can I help you with the luggage son?”

“I’d appreciate that.”

“Don’t be too long. Dinner won’t keep forever,” Connie added as they headed off to retrieve the suitcases. She turned back to Maggie.” So you finally found one.”

“Let’s not start off on this note shall we Mom?” Maggie requested of her mother.

“What note?”

“The one where you think there will never be anybody good enough for me unless you choose them.”

“Well there are some nice boys still available here in town that haven’t settled down.”

“Brian’s a nice young man too and I love him.”

“You’ve only known him six months child. How can you know that?”

“Maybe the same way you did when you married Dad at eighteen.” Maggie glared before pushing the front door open and stepping inside.

“Are you sleeping with the boy Maggie Sue?”

She was about to head up the stairs to her old room when she heard the question she knew her mother would eventually ask. She didn’t think it would be in the first frigging five minutes. She turned and looked disbelievingly at her mother before answering. “What if I am?”

Her eyes widened.

“I’m thirty years old mother and we are protecting ourselves.”

“Maggie! He’s a musician. You know how those guys are.”

“He’s not the hedonist you think he is Mom! He’s a good man with a good heart that loves to sing for his living. I hardly think you have the right to be judging him when you won’t even tell me now why you never let me get near a boy in high school!”

“I don’t know what’s come over you young lady but I don’t like what he’s turned you into.”

“He didn’t turn me into anything Mother! This is who I am. If you had it your way, I would have married Stuart Carroll the minute we graduated from high school!”

“I suggest you turn your voice down before your father hears you!”

“I pray to God he hears me! I’ve held my voice far too long. I still don’t know why you put the fear of God in me where men are concerned but I wish I would have been smart enough to figure out they aren’t all cavemen like you portrayed them to be!” Maggie turned and headed up the stairs; not allowing her mother to have the last word. Thank goodness she had Brian to lean on or she wasn’t going to last the weekend. She heard the voices coming in but paid no mind to them as she got to her room. She heard the footsteps coming the stairs and turned to find Brian with one of their cases.

“Are you okay angel? You were getting pretty loud down there with your mom.”

“I hate her! She does this to me all the time. I don’t know why I thought this time would be different.”

“It’s different because her little girl finally found someone and she’s threatened because she’s not the one to protect you anymore. Let’s get unpacked and let the dust settle a little before we approach it again okay?”

“ I don’t know if it’ll ever change Brian. She’s just not happy unless she’s making me miserable.” Maggie’s eyes flooded and the stream of tears followed. He pulled her into his arms and held her for some time before the flood gates closed. He was a good man. She just wished her mother weren’t so narrow minded. She looked at the damp spot on Brian’s shoulder then looked up into his eyes.” I think maybe I need to let you dry up.”

“I will as long as I know you’re okay.”

“I’ll be fine for a few minutes. It’s not like she doesn’t know now anyway.”

Brian chuckled. “I never thought I’d see the day but I’m glad you stood up to her. We’re gonna get through this angel. Just like everything else.” Her father was going to be a piece of cake to get through compared to Hurricane Connie.
Chapter 31 by Simple Sue
“Did you hear your daughter Steve?” Connie accosted him in the front hall after Brian had left them.

“Yes. And it’s about time Connie. She’s a grown woman. She shouldn’t have to answer to you any longer.”

Her mouth gaped in astonishment at her husband’s remark. “ How could you do this to me? That boy is gonna take what he wants and leave her with a broken heart.”

“You can’t protect her forever if you want her to have a full life. Or do you not want her to? Is that what this is really all about? Your daughter finally brings home a good and decent man and all you can think about is the guy that stood you up for Prom all those years ago. I love you Constance but let go dammit!”

“The boy has been married twice Steven! This is our child.” She reduced her tone when she noticed Brian coming toward them. She didn’t even notice the remaining luggage sitting in the foyer.

“Excuse me ma’am,” Brian lifted the suitcase but turned back to her mother.” And I’ve only been married once Mrs. Nelson. The second one left me standing at the altar for a celebrity with more notoriety than me. I love your daughter with all my heart and I intend to do so every day for the rest of my life.”

“ You don’t know my daughter like I do.”

“With all due respect, I don’t think you know your daughter at all. You stripped her of having all those things teenage girls dream of doing because…..well, you’re the only one that knows that answer.”

“I think you need to show some respect young man.”

“I’m a grown man Mrs. Nelson and if I wasn’t showing you any respect , I’d tell you what a lousy mother I think you are for not sharing with your daughter all the wonderful things that happen in her life. Even attempting to be happy for her would be a stretch I’m thinking.”

“So share with me all these wonderful things in Maggie’s life Mr. Littrell,” she replied; crossing her arms over her chest judgmentally.

“Did you know she won an award for her story time corner with the children at the library?”

“From the children?” She scoffed.

“Would that really be so horrible if she had? Those children are learning something from her. Despite all your efforts to harden her heart, she’s got the biggest one in the world. You just let her believe she shouldn’t share it with anybody.”

“You know nothing of Maggie’s childhood.”

“I know you were reluctant to let her go out into the world like you did her brother. I know you stifled her attempt to sneak out on Prom night. You wouldn’t even let her go on group dates.”

“Children lie to get out of the house at that age.”

“And you didn’t? Is that why you held her back? Never let her go?”

“You have no right to pass judgment on me.”

“You’re right . I don’t but I do know your daughter grew into a kind and generous woman and one I’d like to spend the rest of my life with.” No wonder Maggie despised her mother. No amount of convincing made his opinion or even her husband’s right for that matter. And her husband just stood back and let him speak his peace. Her dad was human. He wasn’t sure what he saw in Maggie’s mom but she must have a heart in there somewhere.

“May I have a word with you young man? “Steve finally spoke up and gave him a stern look.

Shit! Her mother just smirked.

“Let’s step out onto the porch shall we?”

Brian nodded nervously and followed him outside. He turned once Brian was outside.” I don’t agree with a lot of what my wife does or says where it concerns Maggie but I just need to know one thing from you.”

“Yes sir?”

“Did you mean what you said in there about spending the rest of your life with my daughter?”

“Yes I did sir. I was going to ask you properly for her hand but since the cat’s out of the bag…I would really like to have your blessing. Yours and her mother’s.”

“You have mine. Let me worry about my wife. You stay right here.” He opened the door and called for Maggie.

“Yes Daddy?” Maggie smiled sweetly as she appeared on the front porch.

“This young man just asked me for your hand. Are you going to do him the honor?”

She looked to Brian then to her father. She was so excited she didn’t know which one to throw affection at first. “Do you really mean it Daddy?”

“You have my blessing.”

“Oh Daddy! Yes!” She flung her arms around her father’s neck and he chuckled.

“Don’t think I don’t love all this affection but I think the young man you should be focused on is patiently waiting for your answer.”

She turned to Brian and answered him.” The answer is yes. Yes! Yes I will.”

“Will what?” Her mother chose to join them at that exact moment. Was it possible to even have one moment of happiness to herself?
Chapter 32 by Simple Sue
“Well?” Connie looked between the three of them and Steve took her hand.

“Brian just asked for Maggie’s hand in marriage and I gave them my blessing, “ He replied with a smile.

“You did this without discussing it with me?”

“Our daughter is not seventeen anymore. They really didn’t need my permission to begin with. Brian was just being a gentleman.”

“That’s what he wants you to think.”

Maggie glared at her mother then started in.” I have put up with a lot of things from you mother but I’m not going to let you ruin this for me. I don’t know how Daddy has loved you all these years but you must have a heart under there somewhere that he knows. Tim always got to see that. Why do you hate me so much? Why?!”

“Don’t you dare raise your voice to me Margaret Susan Nelson! I’m your mother. I don’t need a reason!”

“That worked when I was seventeen Mom! I’m thirty one. I deserve some answers as to why you never let me date. Why you didn’t let me go to Prom! I did everything you ever asked me to until I went away to college. Even then you didn’t trust I was going to make the right choices. Brian is a good and decent man and I’m going to walk down the aisle with him whether you like it or not!”

“I think maybe it’s best Maggie and I spend the night in a hotel then come back and discuss this in the morning,” Brian suggested as Maggie had buried her face in his chest. He was curious as to why Maggie’s mother treated her like she was less than herself all those years. He needed the answers just as much as Maggie did.

“I think that might be a good idea,” Steve agreed.

Connie stared at Steve in disbelief. She couldn’t believe her own husband was turning on her. That’s what it felt like. “You agree?”

“Yes I do. We’ll talk in a minute.”

Brian walked Maggie to the car and opened the door. Maggie lifted her eyes to his and apologized.

He brushed the hair from her face.” There’s no need for that angel. Your father is a saint for putting up with that woman all these years. I’ll go get our cases and you can guide me to the nearest hotel okay?”

“Sure.”

“You’re gonna be okay by yourself for a few minutes right?”
“I’ll be okay. I knew she was going to be horrible to me but I never expected her to be so rude to you.”

“It’s not your fault baby. I don’t know what held her back to hold you back all that time but you’ll find out. I think your Dad’s finally got a grip on it. Just let him convince her to talk because no amount of shouting is going to solve anything . I’ll be right back,” he said and placed a kiss on her forehead before heading to retrieve their luggage.

“Take me to my grandma’s please,” Maggie requested of Brian once he’d joined her in the car. So far, Maggie’s grandmother, Helen had been the most forthcoming in the information to her mother’s past. Maybe Brian could charm it out of her. She hoped.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea?” His hand came to rest over hers.

“Brian, she’s the only one that’s given me anywhere near an answer as to why my mom is so callous with me.”

He would do just about anything for Maggie and he thought that her mother should give her the answers to the questions she so longed to have but maybe she was right. It seemed as though her mother would never divulge the reasons she kept her daughter a hostage through her teenage years.” You got it angel. Just tell me where to go okay?” He lifted the back of her hand to his lips and gently kissed it when he responded.

“My mother couldn’t even let me have this one moment. I need to know why.”

“I understand baby. We’ll get your answers. One way or the other.”


Five minutes later they arrived at her grandmother’s quaint little house. Midwestern charm at it’s best. Brian assisted Maggie out of the car and held her hand as they walked up the red brick path leading to the porch.

“Is that you Maggie Sue?” Her grandmother rose from the wooden chair with padding to greet her.

Maggie let go of Brian’s hand and greeted her grandmother with a long, genuine hug. When they released one another, her grandma took her hands and said,” Let me look at you young lady. You do have that glow. This must be your young man.”

She let go of her grandmother’s hands and introduced Brian; as her fiancé. Wow. For a girl that thought she was going to grow old alone, her life sure had changed.

“Well it’s not quite official yet ma’am. I just asked for her hand,” Brian replied politely.

“First of all, call me Helen and secondly, Maggie Sue why are you two here when you should be at your folks?”

“You know how Mom and I are. She pushed me too far this time grandma. I was hoping you could shed some light on why she never let me be a teenager.”

“It’s complicated darlin. I know you want answers but I think she needs to give them to you precious.”

“Grandma, you know I wouldn’t ask otherwise but she doesn’t even want me to marry Brian.”

Helen sighed and took Maggie’s hand. “Okay. Let’s have a seat inside and I’ll tell you.”

“Thank you Grams!” Maggie beamed. Finally! And she didn’t need Brian’s charm after all.

Brian sat in the individual chair across from them as they got comfortable on the couch. “Maggie, your momma got pregnant when she was sixteen. I didn’t keep her from being a teenager because I figured everything she could do after a curfew, she could do before one. She went away to ‘take care of her sick, elderly aunt’ until she had the baby. She gave him up for adoption then came home. She still didn’t limit her dating but she was a lot more cautious about it.”

Maggie couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She was denied her teenage years because her mother couldn’t keep her legs closed?! It wasn’t fair! Brian’s gaze met hers and he knew immediately to move to her side. He sat beside her and held her hand for support. “ She denied me my all my homecoming dances and proms because she thought I was going to end up like her?!” Maggie lashed out.

“She only did what she thought was right Maggie Sue. Your daddy was a godsend. Her past indiscretions didn’t matter to him. He made her believe in love.”

“Then why does she hate me grandma? Why?!” The tears started to spill from her eyes.

“Because you became everything she wished she could be. She got married so young because she thought it was the right thing to do. You don’t see her like your father does. They have their disagreements but all married couples do. She just wanted to be able to go out and do all the things you’ve done but you came along and those dreams just kind of faded.”

“That’s the real reason she never let me do anything. I was a burden to her. “

“Maggie! That’s not true! She loves you child. “

“She has a funny way of showing it Grams. I never once questioned my Mom’s decisions except for Prom. She could have done all the things she wanted to but it’s easier for her to blame somebody else for her decisions.”

“Maggie please try to understand why we didn’t tell you.”

“I’m not a little girl anymore. I’m a grown woman. I think I could have handled it when I was a teenager if she just would have told me. I’m not mad at you grandma. I just wish she had the guts to tell me herself.”

“Me too precious. Me too.”
Chapter 33 by Simple Sue
He was worried about Maggie. She hadn’t said a word since they left her grandmother’s house. She offered for them to stay with her for the night but Maggie politely refused her offer. She had a lot to digest and it kind of stumped him as to her mother’s reasoning for the denial of her teenage years. They had stopped for dinner but Maggie pushed the food around on her plate. He should have said something but what do you say? He finished his dinner and they headed for a hotel. Once they were settled , he readied himself for bed then let her go about her routine. His poor angel. Not exactly fun to know your mother found you to be a burden your entire life but to be jealous because you did all those things she wanted to do and never did at the same time? He wanted to mend her broken heart but this wound cut much deeper than anything he’d ever been through. At least he had a loving family at his side. Maggie barely had her father. Her grandmother was only doing what she thought was best . It really wasn’t her place to be explaining the reason why Maggie lost her teenage years. He watched as the light from the bathroom disappeared. His eyes returned to the book he was reading as he felt her slide into the bed next to him.

“Brian?”

Her tone so delicate. He didn’t like seeing her so fragile. First the pregnancy thing and now this. It had to sting knowing that the woman whom gave you life didn’t even care about your existence unless she could make you more miserable than she was. “Yes angel?”

“Thank you,” she replied softly; leaning toward his lips and kissing him gently.

He didn’t want to assume he knew what it was but he looked into her eyes and said,” You know I’m always here for you darlin’.”

“I know that but you’ve been more than understanding about a situation I don’t really understand myself.”

“It’s been a long day baby. Why don’t we just get some sleep and start all over tomorrow?” He suggested.

“Maybe that’s a good idea. I need to be fresh to face my mom.”

“You’re gonna be just fine my Maggie Sue.”

“I love you,” she smiled and gently rest agains his chest.

“I love you too angel.” He stretched over and turned the bedside lamp off; gently kissing the top of her head. She was a lot stronger than she gave herself credit for and he prayed that she would use that to guide her when took on her mom.



When they were getting ready that morning, he could tell she was still worried about how she was going to face her mother. He knew her mother meant well but she made Maggie’s life a living hell in the process. And what was that woman gonna do once she found out Maggie may not be able to get pregnant? Maybe it would knock some sense into her. Not likely but one can dream. She stepped out of the bathroom and he diverted his gaze from the morning news playing on the television. She was the breath of fresh air in his life every day. She didn’t need makeup to look beautiful but she looked even more gorgeous when she did. She had opted to go au natural that morning. She had pulled on a pair of white capris and a lavender blouse. Her hair was pulled away from her face with a clip.

“What?” She smiled at him. It still embarrassed her when he gave her those long admiring gazes but moreso if they were in public. The one thing she did enjoy about it was that he wasn’t shy about it. He let the world know in no uncertain terms that every time she was on his arm that she was the only one in the world and they’d better step back.

“I haven’t told you how beautiful you are today.”

“Brian,” she blushed at his compliment.

“Are you ready to go?”

Maggie took a deep breath and replied,” As ready as I’ll ever be.”

He slid off the bed and joined her where she stood. Taking her hand in his,” You’re a strong woman Maggie. Don’t ever let her make you doubt that. You shook her when you didn’t back down. Don’t let her do it now.”

“I won’t.” She squeezed his hand. “ Let’s go.”

“You got it baby.”

She was more relaxed as they headed toward her parent’s house and that’s the way he wanted it. He knew this was her way of dealing with avoiding ugly subjects so he supported her. Her father was on the front porch when they arrived and came down to greet them.

“Daddy,” she replied and hugged him after he’d opened the door for her.

“Are you sure you’re ready to talk to her again? Your grandma called and told her you two spoke.”

Maggie pulled out of his embrace and looked at the ground. She had never defied her parents. Well we all know about Prom but she felt like she was sixteen all over again when he informed her. Her father’s voice made her raise her eyes to his. “ Everybody around here treats me like a child and I was tired of it. I needed answers and she’s never given me a straight answer in my life. The only thing I’ve ever got from her is because I’m your mother and that’s all you need to know. I didn’t want to go behind her back but I had to know why she stole my adolescence from me.”

“Don’t you think that’s a little harsh Maggie Sue?”

“It’s the truth Daddy. While other girls were out holding hands and stealing one last kiss before curfews, I was holed up in my bedroom reading or studying. I don’t like feeling the way I do right now but I can’t help it.”

“I know baby and you have every right. Just make sure you don’t break something you can’t mend.”

“ I’ll try daddy.” She pecked him on the cheek and linked her arm through his and smiled at Brian. He returned the gesture and followed them inside.

The room was eerily silent as she and her mother looked at one another. She hated her more than life itself right now but she had to make sure she approached it rationally as well.

“Buy you a drink Brian?” Steve spoke up.

“Umm……sure,” He answered cautiously.

“We’ll be in the kitchen if you ladies need anything okay?”

“Thank you,” Maggie replied as she pecked her father on the cheek then Brian before they both left the room.

“You had no right to ask your grandmother such questions,” Connie scolded Maggie.

Maggie turned and glared at her mother. ”I had every right to ask her because you sure as heck weren’t going to give me any!”

“It was something you didn’t need to know.”

“You held me prisoner from being a teenager all those years because you thought I’d make the same mistake?! God Mom! I may not even be able to have children!”

Connie’s mouth gaped open at her daughter’s revelation.

“So all those years I could have had a normal teenage life you kept me locked up because you thought I was going to make the same mistake as you.”

“I only thought I was protecting you Maggie.”

“If men are such ogres, why are you still married after all these years?! Huh?”

“Not all men are horrible. Just teenage boys and musicians.”

“Now we get to it. I bet the boy that knocked you up was in a band wasn’t he?”

“Maggie!”

“No Mom! Brian is a good and decent man and I will not let you throw him in with every other type out there that are Cretans and have no respect for women! You were young! I get that but I won’t let you deny me my happiness because of something that happened over thirty years ago! I have Daddy’s blessing, I was hoping by some force of God that you would give it too but that would be asking too much of you.”

“Maggie I know I was selfish but maybe it was for the best.”

Maggie shook her head disbelievingly . “You may have given birth to me and I love you for giving me life but until you let go of this grudge you have against me, don’t expect me to forgive you. I really wish I could because I’m not that spiteful.”

“I did what I did because I do love you Maggie.”

“I’ve always been a burden to you and I always will be.”

“You’ll understand one day when you have children……oh wait, you may not be able to have them.”

“ Brian!” Maggie yelled. She was a mean spiteful woman and there was no way on God’s Green Earth she was going to stay another minute with this woman that claimed to love her.

He and her father came rushing to the living room. “Take me back to the hotel please. We’re at the Holiday Inn out on the edge of town if you want to see me before we leave Daddy.” She gave him a quick hug and left. She might be able to forgive her mother one day but she’ll never forget the hell she went through now knowing the reasons why she did.
Chapter 34 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


Hey all! I do apologize for the length between updates. I kind of took an unplanned hiatus but I am back now so they should be more regular. Thank you for your patience and enjoy!



Maggie rest her head against his shoulder as they waited for the luggage carousel to start spinning that night. It had been too long of a weekend. And a ton to process. Her mother was still so callous after everything that had happened. Her mother could suck it for all she cared. The woman didn’t deserve her love after all these years. Her father was the only parent she had that she could trust and she prayed to God her mother didn’t hold him back from walking her down the aisle on her big day. It would be just like her to do it too.

“You okay angel?”

“I’m fine. There’s just a lot processing upstairs right now.” She looked up at him.

Rubbing her shoulder, he kissed her forehead as she returned it to its previous and very comfy spot. Until she heard a voice calling out her name. She turned her head and was taken back in time.

“Maggie?”

“Chris?” She let go of Brian and hugged her friend.

“Let me look at you.” He stepped back and admired her. “Wow! You look amazing Mags. I’m assuming your boyfriend has something to do with it?”

She grabbed Brian’s hand and could tell he was not pleased with their little reunion but she introduced him anyway. “Brian, this is Chris and Chris, this is my fiance’…..well it’s not quite official yet.

“But it will be,” he interrupted. Who was this jerk anyway?

Brian secured his arm around her waist. Oh no! He was jealous. Great! “Yes it will be. It’s been a couple of years since we’ve talked.”

“Yes it has. We need to rectify that now don’t we?”

“It would be great to get together sometime. “

“Well it’ll have to wait just a little bit longer cuz he’s all mine.” A pretty blond wrapped her arms around his waist from behind; resting her head on his shoulder.
Now it was Maggie’s turn to feel insecure. Why she didn’t know. It wasn’t like Brian was eyeing her like a piece of meat or something but she was absolutely gorgeous.

“Maggie this is MY fiancé, Trish. Trish this is the girl that tutored me in basic college English,” Chris introduced them.

“So this is the infamous girl that got away?”

Brian’s eyes widened as much as mine. “Something I should know?”

“Chris told me he had the biggest crush on you because you were the only girl on campus that never fell all over themselves to hook up with him,” Trish explained.

Maggie attempted to hide her smile at Chris’ blush.

“You were the only one that was supposed to know that Trish,” Chris returned.

“So what are you two doing at the airport so late at night like us?”

“We just spent the week in Hawaii where I proposed to her.”

“How romantic! So do you have a date in mind?”

“We want to do a winter wedding,” Trish responded to Maggie’s inquiry.

“That will be beautiful.”

“So what about you guys? Any ideas?”

“We’re thinking sometime in spring.” Maggie and Brian answered in unison.

“You’ll make a beautiful spring bride Mags,” Chris commented.

Brian’s grip tightened on her. She wasn’t going to push it but she wasn’t going to let Brian rule her friendships either. Chris was always a decent guy around her. Never once made a pass in all the time she got him through his class. The luggage carousel chose that moment to start spinning. “Well that’s us so why don’t’ we exchange numbers and maybe we can go on a double date for dinner sometime or I could cook dinner for us at my place even.”

“ Sounds like a plan. You got yourself one of the good ones Brian. Take good care of her.”

“Thank you. I will.” He answered curtly. He knew Maggie loved him but Chris was six foot, built and could have any woman he wanted. Funny how Maggie never noticed how hot the guy was for her. Okay, yeah, he was a tad jealous of the guy but what guy wouldn’t be overprotective of his girlfriend with a guy like that?

Maggie couldn’t understand why Brian was so jealous all of a sudden. It’s not like other men had never not looked at her before. She enjoyed the fact that he was but it was a wee bit over the top at that point. After exchanging numbers, she gave Chris one last hug and told Trish it was nice to meet her; going their separate ways. The drive home was unbearably silent and he helped her up with her luggage. This was ridiculous. He slid his arm around her waist and quickly pecked her on the cheek.

“Get some rest and I’ll pick you up for coffee in the morning.” He started heading for the door.

“Brian, what’s going on?”

“What do you mean angel?” He turned back to face her.

“Ever since the airport you’ve been abnormally quiet.”

“I’m just tired baby. I’m sorry.”

“Brian, you know I’m not one to push but I think there’s more going on than you’re admitting to.”

“You’re right Maggie. There is. I’m jealous.”

“Of?”

He raised his brow.

Wow! He was admitting to it.

“I’m sure Chris is a very nice guy but he did have the hots for you at one point in time.”

She approached Brian and gently took his hand as she looked into his eyes.” I love you Brian. I’d worry if you didn’t get a little jealous but until tonight, I had no idea he had a thing for me.”

“What guy wouldn’t have a thing for you Maggie Sue?” His gaze averted to the floor. She used her free hand and lifted his chin.

“Brian. I only have eyes for you. You’re the only man in the world I want to grow old with. I’m in love with YOU.”

“ I guess I am being pretty childish about this guy aren’t I?”

“A little,” Maggie smiled and giggled. “Maybe if you stay with me tonight I can show you how much I love you.”

“Maggie!” He mocked shock. “ What kind of boy do you think I am?”

“The kind that doesn’t say no.”

“I can never resist you. I like this side of you.” He kissed her softly then swept her up off the floor. They’d both dealt with a lot this weekend but for the rest of the night, they would just forget.
Chapter 35 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



I do apologize for taking so long to update. You know that funny lil thing called life temporarily kidnapped my muse but here you go. Enjoy!


Maggie and Brian were having lunch the following Wednesday when he said,” Would you let me buy you dinner tonight?”

“I let you buy me dinner all the time,” she teased as she popped a grape in her mouth.

He chuckled. “So what about tonight?”

She scooted closer and grabbed a grape. “Tonight, “ she held the grape between her teeth so he could grab the other end and kiss her. “Is book club.” Pulling away but not before removing the juice from his chin.

“Angel, you’re killing me here.”

“Isn’t that the idea?” She grinned as leaned her chin on her hand.

He leaned in and brushed his lips against hers. “You think you’re pretty smart don’t you?”

“I know I am.” She kissed him softly. She found the more they kissed in public, the less inhibited she felt about it. They were in love. They should be showing some affection other than just hand holding and smiling goofily at one another.

“Are you sure I can’t persuade you to have dinner with me tonight? We could take a swim.” He raised his brow suggestively.

“As tempting as that is, I do have to have some girl time you know.”

“Okay. I give. You know I’m still worried about you.”

“I know and I’m going to be fine. I can’t change her so I’m just learning to live with that fact and move on. “ She was still dealing with the fact that she had a brother, well a half –brother she guessed and wasn’t sure she should go looking for him. Yet at the same time, her curiosity was getting the better of her. She already had a brother but for all the time they spent together, she could hardly call their relationship close.

“Okay princess but I still get Friday nights right?”

“Friday nights and coffee every morning.” She kissed him.” I do have to get back to work. Don’t want to ruin my perfect record of being on time at least.”

“I’ll miss you.” He took her hands and gently pressed his lips to the back of one.

“And I’ll miss you. Love you,” She replied and kissed him one last time before returning to work.



That same evening, Deidre was the first to arrive. She was admiring the vase of peach roses that had arrived shortly after Maggie got home. The knock on the door ended her love affair with the beautiful arrangement and she answered the door while Maggie finished the veggie tray she was working on.

“Wow,” Camille remarked as she sat her purse on the counter and admired the large bouquet of peach roses adorned with baby’s breath. “What’d loverboy do to get in the doghouse now?”

“Nothing! You guys are way too suspicious.”

“With good reason.”

“Hold that thought,” Maggie replied as she went to answer the door. “Hey Jaz! How’s it going?”

“Apparently not as well as it is for you lady. What’d you do to get those flowers?”

“Why is everybody so suspicious of my boyfriend?”

“Because a little bird told me you ran into Chris and his fiancé at the airport Sunday night,” Camille answered.

“You mean Can’t Miss Chris?” Jaz and Deidre replied in unison.

“How’d you know?” Maggie said.

“He called me yesterday and said your little man was none too pleased with the reunion,"Camille responded.

“Well he was a little jealous. He even admitted to it when we got home."

“Did you get freaky that night too?” De grinned

“Not that it’s any of your business but yeah we did.” Maggie blushed.

“Boyfriend is marking his territory in no uncertain terms Mags, “ Camille informed her.

“Nunh uh, “ Maggie shook her head negatively.

“Mags, Chris had the hots for you. Why else do you think he gave up all those ‘sure things’ he could have had to study with you five nights a week?”

Maggie looked between the three of them and they all nodded in agreement.


“Brian was a little possessive at the airport.”

“Well is Chris still tall, blond and gorgeous?” Jasmine said.

“Yeah but he’s not my type.”

“He’s every girl’s type Maggie. We just don’t know until it’s too late,” Deidre responded and took a sip of wine.

Maggie almost dropped the bottle of wine she had in her hand. She may be a little naïve but there was no mistaking that response. Deidre had been with Chris. Had the other two? “So what about you two? Did he miss with either of you?”

Jasmine bit her lip and Camille held her hands up in defense. “I guess Chris did miss with a couple of us after all.”

“So how was he?”

Jasmine’s jawed dropped right along with Deidre’s and Camille laughed then said,” You act like Maggie never thought of sex before Brian came along. She just wasn’t as vocal as the rest of us.”

“Thank you Cam. So?” Maggie raised her brows inquisitively.

“He wasn’t the worst I’ve ever had,” Deidre responded.

“You lie! That boy has a God given talent for….well…” Jasmine trailed off.

“Screwing? Fucking?” Maggie finished.

“Okay, where is Maggie?”

“Seriously?! I’m not allowed to say one curse word in my life?”

“It just sounds weird coming from you Mags. That’s all.”

“So does Brian ever talk dirty when you guys, y’know?” Deidre grinned.

“Can we talk about something else?” Maggie attempted to change the subject.

“Ohmigod! He does!” Camille stated with confidence.

“Stop it!” Maggie blushed again.

“Maggie we grew up listening to the Backstreet Boys and Brian was better known as the saint of the group.”

“Well now we know he kneels to worship at the altar of Maggie,” Jasmine teased.

Maggie groaned.

“You started it with the Chris thing,” Deidre noted.

“Fine.”

“So how’d things go this weekend with your parents? More like Mommie dearest,” Camille changed the subject.

“I don’t have a mother.”

“That good huh?”

“My mother is the daughter of Satan.”

“It can’t be that bad Maggie.”

“You know why my mother held me captive all those years? It was because she got knocked up at the age of seventeen by a boy in a local band and gave up her child for adoption.”

“Does your Dad know?”

“Yeah he does. My mom never bothered to look for her son when he was old enough.”

“Why?” Deidre inquired.

“Because she never cared about me, why would she care about the real firstborn? No wonder she hated me. I was the middle child.”

“Mags, we understand if you’d rather not talk about it,” Camille said.

“It’s okay. She may not love me but I know the people that do and that’s all that matters.” Maggie wiped the tears starting to fall away.

“Damn straight we love you Maggie! You’re the best,” Deidre reached across the counter and squeezed Maggie’s hand.

“Through thick and thin Mags, we got your back,” Jasmine agreed.

“Thanks you guys. I don’t know how I would have made it all these years without you,” Maggie said.

“Right back atcha girl,” Camille smiled.

“So are you gonna see if you can find your brother?” Deidre said.

“I’m thinking about it,” Maggie replied. Her mother may be a spiteful woman but her father still loved her and she had great friends. Most of all, she had Brian. She was going to make it.
Chapter 36 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



Thank you for all the wonderful reviews and most of all for hanging in there until I got back. Enjoy!



Two weeks later, Brian was sitting in the living room of his house with his friends and hers. After all the proper introductions were made and Deidre hushed them with her unladylike scolding, Brian started. “I know you all have somewhat of an idea why you’re here but I needed to have you in the same room to make the commitment to it. As you all know my Maggie never got to go to her Senior Prom.”

“Neither did I,” Nick interjected.

“You were touring the world you dolt,” AJ smacked him upside the back of his head.

“Ow!”

“You guys! Maggie was prevented for a different reason than some of us were,” Brian continued.

“Basically because her Mom is a class one bitch,” Jasmine stated.

“Not exactly how I would have put it but the truth nonetheless. Anyways, I plan on proposing to Maggie soon and I thought since she never got the Prom she wanted to go to, I would give her the prom of her dreams. This is where the girls come in. I need you to find out the theme that she would have had had she got the opportunity to go.”

“Done,” Camille committed the three of them.

“So why are we here?” Nick chimed in again.

“Because once we have the theme, you’re going to decorate the hall while the girls take Maggie shopping for a dress,” Brian informed his friends.

“Couldn’t you have had this whole thing done by a party planner?” Kevin said; asking the question everybody had on their mind.

“I could have if I didn’t want it to mean anything to her. I want to make it a night she’ll remember until the day she dies.”

“You’re making us all look bad now Bri, you know that right?” AJ piped in.

“God! You all sing about true love but you can’t come through when your friend needs a little help. What a bunch of frauds,” Deidre kicked in.

“You think calling us phonies is gonna help his cause?” AJ jumped in.

“Your friend is asking for maybe two weeks of your life to give him something that’s going to last his entire life.”

“How do you know Maggie’s not gonna run off on him?”

“Because I’ve known Maggie just about as long as you’ve known Brian,” Camille interjected.

“It doesn’t mean a damn thing when he’s already had two of them leave him in the dust.”

“Listen here you scrawny assed little twerp, Maggie is not a gold digger! She’s the most decent and honest human being I’ve ever met in my life! She’s got more decency in her pinkie finger than you have in your entire body!” Deidre got in his face.

“You never know until you try,” AJ wiggled his brow suggestively.

Deidre groaned and stormed out of the room. Jasmine followed her. Camille said,” Give me a call when stupid over there gets his hormones in check. Then maybe we can get this worked out.”

“Tell Dave hi for me,” Brian replied as he gave Camille a quick hug.

“Bye,” Camille said then glared at AJ. Dick!

“Really Alex?” Kevin gave him the look.

“What?! Not like none of you weren’t thinking it.”

“Come on guys, I know how he feels. When I proposed to Leigh, I wanted it to be the one thing in her life she’d never forget,” Howie stated.

“I guess I felt the same way with Kelly,” Nick conceded.

“It took Kristin and I forever to get there so I get what Bri’s doing,” Kevin agreed.

“Thank you. I’m not asking for the world Alex, just a favor you might need returned one day.”

“So Maggie really is the one?” AJ looked at Brian.

“Why don’t I let you meet her and you can judge for yourself? I can only say that she accepts me for who I am and not what I do,” Brian explained.

“So when do we get to meet her?”

“Does tomorrow night work for you guys?” Brian looked around the room.

When they all agreed, he said,” Then maybe we can get this thing planned before we go back into the studio.”





The next evening, Maggie and Brian were snuggling in her bed when he started. “I love being this way with you.”

“What do you mean?” She lifted her gaze to his as she continued to trace circles on his chest

“Just you, me, the candles and the soft music. It’s like the whole world disappears when we’re together.”

“Y’know, I could make something else disappear,” Maggie replied as she moved over onto him.

“After I ask you something.”

Maggie nibbled down his neck as he attempted to talk.

“Maggie. Please.”

“Okay,” she stopped and allowed him to speak.

“I was thinking it was about time you met my friends.”

“I’m nibbling on you and you’re thinking I should meet your friends?”

“I was thinking it before but I wanted to know how you would feel about it.”

“Well,” she leaned in and softly brushed her lips against his.” Why don’t I let you know after I’ve had my way with you?”

He couldn’t argue that. He agreed as as she slipped down beneath the sheet and used her mouth to render him senseless. Speechless was another thing. The things she had learned to do sent a flurry of expletives pouring from his mouth.

She slowly sunk onto his length and watched his eyes roll back in his head. She never thought she’d be able to do that to a man. It was the times she leaned over to kiss him that he took control and completely consumed her that drove her crazy. After the first few times, sex started to feel good.

He penetrated her deeper and deeper as his hand slid down over her hip and held her. She grasped his forearm as the force of his body overwhelmed her.

They were a tangled mess and she was breathing just as heavily as he was but she managed to get out, “So when do I meet your friends?”
Chapter 37 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



I apologize for the delay. The creative juices and muses didn't seem to be working together. I hope this makes up for it. Enjoy!


“I can’t believe you just sprung this on me Brian. I have to work in the morning you know. What if they don’t like me?” Maggie rambled as they entered the club

Brian took her hand and pulled her alongside the wall. “Listen to me.” His hand curved against her cheek.” They are going to love you . I know I do.”

Maggie blushed.

“That is why are they going to love you angel.” He kissed her softly. He was well aware he just threw this at her but he didn’t want her to overthink it either or she’d never agree to it.

“Thank you for being my rock Brian.”

“You’re gonna be just fine baby.”

“Let’s do this then,” Maggie replied; squeezing Brian’s hand and allowing him to lead them further in.

He stopped before they reached their destination and told her how wonderful she was for doing this on such short notice.

She smiled then kissed him; telling him he was the reason.

A voice interrupted their moment. “Are you gonna introduce us or keep her all to yourself Bri?”

Brian actually blushed and Maggie smirked as she held his hand firmly.

“Maggie, this is my cousin Kevin. Kevin, Maggie.”

“It’s nice to finally have a face to the girl he’s been going on about for months.”

“It’s nice to meet you Kevin. I have to say I haven’t heard a lot about any of you,” Maggie replied.

“We’ll take care of that tonight then.”

“I can’t stay too long. I do have to work in the morning.”

“We’ll keep it short then. Let me introduce you to the others.”

Brian nodded as Kevin walked her to the VIP section and into their private section of booths. She knew all eyes were on her and that was okay. That’s what this was all about but the ones she felt scrutinizing her the most were the other pair of blue eyes across the way from them. Now the whole Chris and jealousy thing made sense. “ So let me start with AJ right here and next to him is Howie and the guy over on the far side there is Nick,” Kevin made the group introduction.

Brian sat down next to Maggie and gently took her hand. He knew what it felt like to be under the microscope himself. He’d had a little more experience with it and he didn’t want her to be uncomfortable.

“So can we get you anything to drink?” AJ offered.

“Just a coke thank you,” Maggie replied.

She could feel Nick’s eyes on her; watching her every move. “Something I can help you with?” She met him eye to eye as any one of her friends would have. Now was not the time to back down from a butthead of a friend.

“I don’t get it.”

“Get what?”

“I guess you didn’t get the memo that you have be blonde and have big tits to marry Brian?”

“Last time I checked, I can change my hair color and they say you can pay for the other. Any other suggestions?” Maggie raised her brow curiously.

“Yeah. What do you do for fun?”

“Brian.” Okay, that was SO not her but it felt good. That shut him right up. That was after the short one nearby smacked him upside the head.

“Look, I get that you’re all worried that he’s got another gold digger on his hands but I can assure you that I had no idea who he was or what he did for a living and I still don’t care as long as it’s what makes him happy.”

“Good answer. Now what do you do for a living?”

“ I work in a library. I read stories to children and help people find information they need. I love what I do and I’m not about to give it up. “

“She’s a feisty one Brian. How long did it take to break her?” Nick smirked.

Oh shit! Nick was drunk . Granted, Maggie was holding her own but he could see she was starting to weaken. “Nick. “ He glared as his friend.

“What? We’re just having a good time, getting to know Mags right?”

“I feel sorry for you. Your friend finally finds somebody he’s truly happy with and you can’t be happy for him. You’re a real piece of work Nick. “ Maggie turned to face Brian. “ Can we go?”

“Sure. Could you give me a minute?”

“Of course.” She pecked him on the cheek and stepped out of the VIP room

Once she was gone, Brian laid into Nick. “What is your problem?! I bring my fiancé to meet you all and you act like some high school boy that’s jealous that his friend’s girl is getting more attention than he is. Is the honeymoon over Nick? Is that why you had to be a shit to Maggie?! That girl has been through hell and back the last couple of weeks and you just amplified it!”

“I bet she finds that sexy as hell when you get all caveman on her.”

“I WAS going to ask you to be my best man but you just bought yourself a one way ticket to I screwed myselfville. I know you’re drunk and won’t remember this in the morning but you can kiss that honor goodbye.”

“Brian,” AJ spoke up. “He’s your best friend. He’s just looking out for you.”

“No, what he was doing was spiteful tonight and you, you’re the last one I expected to be sticking up for him after your opinion yesterday. “

“She seems like a really nice girl Brian but she’s very reserved and doesn’t make much money. Nick was only looking out for your welfare like I was.”

“Yeah,” Nick chimed in on the subject and fell back against the seat.

“You know, I don’t care if either of you is at the wedding to be honest. I love her and I’m going to marry her so if anybody else has a problem, too bad. I’m going to take her home if that’s okay with all of you.”

“Bri,” Kevin started after him.

“What?! He spat as he turned back.

“I think Maggie’s perfect for you and Nick’s just pissed because he couldn’t rattle her.”

“I know. Listen, I’m gonna get her home. I’ll give you a call when everything’s settled because believe me, she’s rattled.”


“Okay. I’ll talk to you later.”

Brian found Maggie leaning against a wall near the exit. “Ready?”

She nodded and gave him a half-hearted smile. Her friends didn’t give him the third degree when he showed up; uninvited even. The radio played quietly on the way home. Neither of them said a word until they reached her door. “Was everything Nick said true?”

“About my exes?”

“Even me.”

“ They were both exactly what he said and I thought at one time that was what I wanted. I walked into that coffee shop and saw you and knew that I’d been fooling myself. “

“So you’re saying only the surface matters?”

Oh shit! He walked right into that one. “No Maggie. That’s not all that matters. That’s what I’m trying to tell you here. When I saw you, I saw more than what was on the surface because I wanted to. I never let myself get beyond the physical with them.”

“ I love you so much,” Maggie said and pulled his mouth to hers. She kissed him with all the life in her. She knew his friend was drunk and it hurt to think that her boyfriend still liked that type but she had her answer now.

“So you’re gonna be okay alone tonight?”

“Well you could come in and snuggle with me but I think your friends might get a little ticked off if I keep you too long.”

“Well they are big boys but after tonight, might be a good idea to go home. I’ll miss you. Love you.” He kissed her one last time and waited for her to get inside before he left. He was going to kill Nick. It would be a slow, painful death. He could live with that.
Chapter 38 by Simple Sue
“What the hell are we doing at a library?” Nick complained as he and AJ pulled into a parking space late the next morning.

“You’re going to apologize to Maggie for being such a shit last night,” AJ replied as he pulled the keys out of the ignition.

“Why? “

“Because Maggie was too much of a lady to call you what you really were to her.”

“That proves nothing.”

“ Why are you being such a dick?!”


“That’s the pot calling the kettle black.”

“That’s why we’re here. I realized I was wrong and if you have any kind of conscience in you, you’ll come to your senses before we get inside.”

“Give me one good reason why I should.”

“Do you hear yourself Nick? You sound like a three year old. I’d give you a good whack upside the head if we weren’t here as your reason but since we are, your reason is because he was the first to congratulate you when you announced you were marrying Kelly. “

“So you’re telling me he doesn’t like Kelly?”

“I’m telling you that you do things for your friend that you sometimes don’t like but this girl means the world to him so we’re going to be good friends and apologize before we leave tonight.”

“Fine.”

“Well I wouldn’t want you to do it out of the goodness of your heart or nothing. Give her a chance. You might find out you like her.”

“I doubt it but I’ll give it a chance.”
“Come on. Let’s go in and find her,” AJ said and allowed Nick to enter through the sliding doors first. He wasn’t about to let the boy get out of this one. They located her in the children’s section in the story corner. AJ found himself getting involved as she wove the tale.

“She’s really good at this, “ Nick whispered. Maybe he hadn’t given her a fair shake.

“Told you.”

Maggie looked up and noticed the two of them just as she finished the story. Great! Like she needed this right now. Why were they there in the first place?

As the children dispersed with their parents, AJ and Nick approached her.

“Can I help you?” Maggie smiled and remained professional.

AJ nudged Nick.

“I’d like to apologize for how I acted last night. Alcohol makes me really stupid. Brian just hasn’t had a lot of luck in his love life and I just don’t want to see him hurt. You can understand that can’t you ?” Nick said.

“I can but you pretty much assumed that I was like every other woman that’s come into his life. You judged me before you even got a chance to know me,” Maggie returned.

“I know. AJ told me what I said last night. I really am sorry. “

“Why don’t we just start with a clean slate? “

“Fair enough. You tell a mean story Maggie.”

“He’s right. Those kids were at your mercy.”

Maggie blushed.

“Brian’s right. That is cute,” AJ commented.

“What?”

“The way you blush.”

Maggie bit her lip. She was at a loss for words. Why were they being so nice? Was Brian behind it? She’d figure it out.

“Well we should get going. We need to get packed but I’m glad we got this second chance. You’re a cool chick Maggie. I’m glad Brian found you,” AJ filled the void of silence that had surfaced.
“Yeah, he did good this time. We’ll see you around ,”Nick agree with AJ.

“One question before you go?” Maggie said and AJ turned.

“Does Brian know you’re here?”

“Nope. We’ll see you around Maggie,” AJ smiled and turned; leaving her alone

She turned and was busy in her corner when she heard the familiar voice.” I can see they’re still lining up for your attention Mags,” Chris remarked.

She turned and gave him a hug.” How’s it going stranger?”

“Good. “

“So what brings you here?”

“Well we missed the story hour so me and the munchkin are gonna pick a few books out and take them home.”

“Munchkin?”

“The tater tot now clinging to my leg is my daughter Isabel. We call her Izzie for short.”

“Daughter? Wow.”

“Can you say hi to Maggie miss Izzie?” He swept her up off the floor and the little girl just buried her head in Chris’ chest.

“She’s adorable. So how long were you and Trish together before Isabel came along?”

“One year. We’ve been together almost five now.”

“That is really amazing Chris.”

“So you and Brian?” He raised his brow.

“Really? Brian was the first.”

“Seriously?”

“Seriously. And I wouldn’t change it for the world.”

“Daddy,” Isabel whined.

“Okay it’s time to go get some books. We’ll try to make it on time for story hour next week. I hear the storyteller is pretty amazing.”

“Listen, I’ll talk to Brian when I get off and see if maybe the four of us can do dinner sometime soon.”

“That’d be nice. Can you say goodbye to Maggie?”

Isabel timidly looked up and smiled before returning to her previous position.

“See you later,” Maggie smiled as they left her. She prayed that God would give her and Brian one that had the best of both of them. She knew that was most likely impossible but she wouldn’t give up as long as she was alive and breathing. God does work in mysterious ways after all.
Chapter 39 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


I know it's been forever and I hope you haven't forgot Maggie and Brian. I know I've missed them. I hope you have too. Enjoy!




“I’m so glad we had dinner with Chris and Trish tonight,” Brian commented as Maggie searched for her set of keys.

“You are?” Maggie looked up from her searched; surprised.

“Why are you so surprised? Oh. Yeah.”

“But what changed your mind?”

“I learned from this very beautiful woman that everybody deserves a chance before you judge them.”

“You like seeing me blush don’t you?” She could feel the heat rising in her cheeks.

“It just makes you all the more gorgeous angel.”

“Brian?”

“Yes darlin’?”

“ How ‘bout we go into my apartment, make some popcorn, snuggle up and watch a movie?” Her lips were a breath away from his.

“Sounds like the perfect end to our Saturday night.”

“I think so too.” Maggie smiled and turned; withdrawing that promise of a kiss. She attempted to locate her keys and Brian’s arms slid around her waist.

He nuzzled her neck then whispered in her ear,” You cheated Maggie Sue.”

“I think we’d better get inside because my neighbors won’t appreciate your public display like I do.”

“Then what’s holding you back?”

“You. You’re distracting me.”

“I just got my arms around you angel. I do it all the time.”

“And it’s distracting all the time.” Maggie answered while locating her keys at the same time.

“That’s the idea,” he whispered.

She could feel the smirk as his lips met the skin on her neck. She managed to unlock the door and they walked inside with his arms still around her. His lips were far too distracting. “Brian Thomas.” She attempted to scold him but it was a weak one at that.

“Yes angel of mine?” He replied sweetly. He was working up the nerve to make the proper invitation for the prom so any way he could forget that he was going to have to do that tonight, he was all for it.

“Could you cool it down for a couple seconds?”

“I thought you liked me all warm and cuddly,” he pulled away from her and she turned the light on behind him.

After setting her purse and such on the end table by the door, she could see him pouting. She was starting to learn his little tricks as to how he was going to get a kiss out of her or when he was in the mood. This wasn’t the in the mood. He just wanted a kiss. She pressed her hands against his chest then her lips against his. “Did I make it all better?”

“You’re getting way too good at reading me angel,” He teased as his arms closed around her.

“So why are you holding me hostage now?”

“I have a question I want to ask you and you’re going to think I’m out of my mind when I do.”

“Brian, I would never think that unless you asked me to barrel over Niagra Falls with you.”

“Well dang it. There goes that plan.”

“Brian!” She smacked his chest lightly and he met her protest with a gentle kiss.” Now who’s not playing fair?”

“Are you gonna let me ask my question?”

“What will you give me if I do?”

“So you have to have something in return for this?”

“No. I was just seeing if you would give something up.”

“I’d give you the world for anything Mags. You know that.”

“I know and I love you for that. So fire away.”

He took a deep breath. “Maggie Sue, will you be my date for the prom?”

Okay, that did throw her for a loop. “Prom?”

“I know it’s crazy but I know you never went to yours and I just wanted to give you a night to remember as they say.”

She didn’t know whether to laugh or cry so she smiled and weakly attempted to hold back the tears.” You are the sweetest man in the world Brian Littrell and yes, I will go to the prom with you.”

“So these are happy tears then?”

“Yes. So, do my friends know about this?”

“Yes.”

“Is that why your friends were here last week?”

“Yes. They helped in the planning but it was my idea.”

She rewarded him with another kiss. “You are absolutely amazing.”

“Well don’t give me too much credit until the night we get there.”

“Which is?”

“Two weeks from tonight.”




The next afternoon after services, Maggie and the girls were having what was known as their weekly meeting man free. If they got together any other time now, it was up in the air as to whom would or wouldn’t show up. Now that most of them had men in their lives, they just knew it was going to be that way. Maggie had arrived at the restaurant first and got them a table.

She ordered an iced tea and waited for the rest of them to show up.

“Mags!” Deidre greeted as she and Jasmine arrived together.

Maggie stood and gave them each a hug before they all sat.

“How is it you always look like you’re glowing? Oh yeah, you have a hot little man now,” Jasmine teased.

“ You’re not gonna believe what he asked me last night either.”

“Hey Maggie! So what did Mr. Wonderful ask you last night?” Camille inquired as she joined them.

“Can I get you ladies anything to drink?” the waitress interrupted as she sat Maggie’s iced tea in front of her.

Maggie thanked her and she proceeded to get their orders before leaving them to their conversation.

“So?” Deidre raised her brows.

“He asked me to go to Prom and I know you guys are in on it so you don’t have to be surprised.”

“Well I’m glad he finally did. It took him long enough,” Camille replied.

“You got the good one of the group Mags. That friend of his, AJ is a total prick,” Deidre added.

“I’m sure it’s not that bad,” Maggie responded.

“Have you met him?! They all thought you were a gold digger.”

“Only half of them,” Jasmine said.

“He and Nick were pretty awful the night I met them but they came to the library to apologize to me without Brian knowing about it. Does that really sound like they’re such bad guys?” Maggie stood up for them.

“First impressions Mags,” Deidre shook her head.

“I think you like him. In fact if I recall the look on your face when you guys started telling me all about the group, you couldn’t wait to get your hands on him.”

“That was before I met him. Nobody talks about my friend that way and gets away with it. I don’t care who they are.”

“I gave them a second chance. Maybe you could do it for me? I mean if you don’t like him after that then I won’t push it.”

“Promise?”

“Have I ever not kept a promise to you?”

“Good point. So when are we going dress shopping?”
Chapter 40 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



Thank you for hanging in with me. I got a little blocked but I believe this chapter will make up for it. Enjoy!





“Oh Mags! You look absolutely gorgeous!” Deidre complimented as Maggie emerged from the hall in Camille’s house.

The light blue material shimmered and the skirt floated around her like a cloud. Her hair was piled up on top of her head with tiny ringlets framing her face. She wore diamond studs so as not to take away from the beauty of the dress. She’d never worn anything off her shoulder much less strapless but when they’d been in the shop the weekend before, they convinced her that it wasn’t inappropriate to show some skin in public. She fidgeted with the cleavage and Jasmine approached.

“Maggie, you look amazing. It’s not going to fall down and if it does, just press up against
Bri, hide in a dark corner and make out. This is your night. He’s doing all this for you girlfriend. I hope I get so lucky one day,” Jasmine said as gave Maggie a hug. “I do believe you’re missing one thing though.” She retrieved her purse and pulled out a tiny jar of body glitter. She spread it sparingly over each shoulder then stepped back with Deidre and Camille. “You are definitely going to be the bell of the ball.” At that, the doorbell rang.

The butterflies swirled in her stomach but the minute Brian stepped inside, they disappeared. He looked so handsome in his tuxedo. The cummerbund and tie matched the color of her dress. He couldn’t tear his eyes off of her and for the first time since they’d started dating, she didn’t blush. He approached and pressed his lips to her cheek before whispering in her ear, “You’re breathtaking tonight angel. Cinderella ain’t got nothing on you.”

She giggled as he stepped back slightly. He opened the plastic container with her white rose wrist corsage. As he placed it on her, the girls snapped pictures .

Camille handed her the container with Brian’s boutonniere. Initially she fumbled with it before finally getting it pinned to the lapel of his jacket.

The girls snapped a couple of pictures with Brian’s arm wrapped around her waist before they stepped outside. Maggie’s jaw dropped at the sight of the white stretch limousine waiting for what she assumed was the group of them. After all, the girls were ready. She just figured their dates were going to meet them at the final destination. “Aren’t you guys joining us?”

“This is your night Mags. We’ll see you there, “Camille smiled at her friend. The chauffer opened the door. Maggie lifted her skirts and stepped into the vehicle as Brian followed. Mags had never been very lucky in love but boy when Cupid shot his arrow this time, he hit the mark right on.

Brian was always the perfect gentleman but instead of allowing the chauffer to assist her out of the limousine, he took her hand and helped her. She looked like a Disney princess and she sparkled from head to toe. He was nervous enough about the evening as it was. He prayed she hadn’t noticed. He held his arm out and she slid her arm through; followed with a chaste kiss on the lips.

Arm in arm, they entered the hall he had rented and had transformed into Paris at night with the help of their friends. They were the last to arrive and Maggie stopped in her tracks once they were through the doors.

She took in the scenery and the banner over the stage that read in large script ‘A Night To Remember’. Strings of tiny twinkling white lights were strung throughout the room. Posters of Paris were also hung sporadically on the walls. In the center of all the tables that were set to look like something from a sidewalk café sat a replica of the Eiffel Tower. He did all THIS for her. His voice distracted her from the decorations.

“Is everything okay angel?”

“You…..This…….I….This is amazing.” She was choked up and was really trying to hold the happy tears back. This was the prom she missed as a teenager. She’d hit the jackpot with Brian. Not that she needed any more proof but now she knew that Brian would do anything for her.

“Well I had a little help,” he remarked.

“I know but it was your idea. They just helped bring it to life. Thank you.” She smiled then softly kissed him.

“Thank you for walking into that coffee shop. Shall we?” He requested and she allowed him to lead her to the tables.

As he held the chair, she noted the tiny place cards on the table with their names on each one. Of course they were closest to the dance floor but dinner was first on the list. As he took his seat, she saw that all of her friends were enjoying their evening as much as she and Brian already had.

He took her hand and pressed his lips against the back of it. “We have pretty incredible friends don’t we?”

“Yes we do,” she agreed as the bow-tied waiter set what she assumed was two glasses of champagne before them. So it would be a little different than a teenage prom in the fact that they could consume alcohol but beyond that, it was everything she dreamt it would be.



Over the course of the night Maggie had met his friends’ significant others and she smiled inside when she saw Deidre and AJ getting along. They were enjoying themselves out on the dance floor and she smiled inwardly hoping she’d played Cupid this time. Brian had done a grand job of making sure the evening included everything it should. From the cheesy decorations to a photographer with background of the Eiffel tower at night, he’d covered it all. The DJ continued to play the music but she was so consumed with Brian that she didn’t even care what was playing. He stood behind her with his arms gently wrapped around her waist. Her hands rested over his.


“Have I told you how beautiful you are tonight?”

“Not in the last hour.” She smiled.

“Okay you two, stop flirting and make me believe you couldn’t be more in love than you already are,” the photographer requested their attention.

She crooked her head and was caught off guard by the kiss that followed.

“Perfect!”

And that’s how prom night would be immortalized for Maggie. Not bad for the girl that had to wait sixteen years after high school to get her prom night.

“Would you like to dance again?”

“I’d love to,” she replied and allowed him to lead her onto the floor yet again. It was the middle of a song she knew but couldn’t recognize the artist. The DJ progressed into Drowning, which was one of the guys’ more romantic endeavors she thought as he held her closer.

“Did you have him play this song?”

“Maybe,” Brian toyed. He was a nervous wreck now that the moment had come. So far she hadn’t read into the nerves.

“Tease, but I do love you,” she said and laid her head on his shoulder as the song continued to cast a magical spell on the evening.

When the song ended, he left her where she was and told her he’d be right back.

Five minutes had passed. Where was he? That’s when she saw him walking up onto the stage and interrupting the DJ. What was going on? He held the microphone and crossed to the center before requesting everyone’s attention.

“Could I have your attention for a moment please?” Came his voice through the sound system. “First of all, I’d like to thank everybody for joining me and Maggie tonight. You are an amazing group of friends and without you, I could not have given Maggie something that was sixteen years in the making.” After the laughter had died down, he continued,” Now most Proms have a king and queen but we’re gonna do something a little different here tonight. Maggie, would you please join me?”

She made her way to the stage as quickly as she could in the ball gown she was wearing. Once she made her way up the stairs, she approached Brian. “What is this all about?”
End Notes:


If you'd like to take a look at how I envisioned Maggie's dress, this is the address. You'll have to copy and past cuz I'm technologically illiterate with that stuff LOL


http://www.ifishinthesky.com/fits037562-2011-style-aline-strapless-beading-sleeveless-floorlength-tulle-prom-dress-evening-dress-p-200008710.html


Chapter 41 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:



I apologize for the delay but I hope this makes up for it. Enjoy!




The DJ came across the stage and took the microphone from Brian and the room went deathly silent. Maggie enjoyed being the center of his attention but this time it seemed she was the center of everybody else’s as well. Seriously, what was happening? Brian took her hand and started speaking.


“Eight months ago I had pretty much given up on the idea of ever falling in love again then my friends suggested I try online dating. I didn’t try the dating services but my faith in love was restored when I met a girl in a chat room that up until three months after the fact I had no clue that I was passing by every morning in my favorite coffee shop.

The night I asked you if we could meet, you told me that you had met somebody else. Crushed, I asked if we could still meet. You agreed. From the conversations we’d had, I gathered that you’d put your heart on the line as many times as I had and were being cautious but when you walked into the shop that morning, I knew my life would never be the same if you weren’t part of it. Until you walked into my life Maggie Sue, I never really knew what true love was. What it was like to give your heart to someone so completely. You’ve captured my heart Margaret Susan Nelson,” He said as got down on his knee; never losing eye contact with her. “ Tell me I’ve captured yours and spend the rest of your life with me.”

He produced the box with her ring and opened it. He anxiously awaited her answer as she stared at the ring.

Her heart was going a million miles an hour. It felt like a dream all night but it was very real. She didn’t know much about jewelry other than its beauty and man it was beautiful! A shiny diamond square with smaller ones alternated with her favorite stone of sapphire that would surround her finger. She nodded and answered yes barely audible enough for him to hear. He slipped the ring on her finger and rose to kiss her. This time she really didn’t care they were putting on a show.

He didn’t pull away immediately but when their friends’ applause became thunderous, he did as he held onto her. The others had said yes without hesitation but the emotion in her eyes and the hesitation in her answer told him that her heart answered, not just her voice.

She leaned in and whispered in his ear. “Isn’t this the part where I’m supposed to run down and make my friends jealous of this beautiful ring you picked out for me?”

“I think so but I’ll walk down with you because I think you’re still staring at it too,” he teased.

He was right though. She was admiring it as they spoke. She giggled and pulled out of his embrace; taking his hand as he led her down the stairs. There was no need to go very far. The women were on the edge there; dying to get a glimpse and his friends were waiting to congratulate him.

Deidre was the first to grab her hand. “Omigod! You bitch! That’s gorgeous! He’s probably gonna take you somewhere exotic for your honeymoon too.”


“But if anybody deserves it Mags, you do. We finally get to start picking out wedding gowns,” Jasmine added.

“That is beautiful Maggie. I can’t wait to see you walk down the aisle in a gorgeous fairytale gown,” Camille joined in the celebration.

“It all still feels like a dream,” Maggie managed.

“It’s not a dream anymore Mags. You got your Prince Charming,” Chris interrupted all the girly gushing going on.

“I did.”

“I just wanted to jump in and congratulate you before you girls started planning the wedding.”

“Thank you Chris,” she replied and hugged him.

“He’s a lucky man.”

“So are you. Thank you guys for coming tonight,” Maggie said as she gave him one last squeeze.

“Would you get out of the way? I haven’t had a chance to gush over Maggie’s ring,” Trish teased him. He stepped back and allowed her to get all girly with them.

“Hey Chris,” Brian approached him.

“Hey Brian. Congratulations man!”

“I just wanted to say thank you for helping me out with her ring.”

“She does love it doesn’t she?”

“ I just love the smile this whole night has put on her face. “

“Your buddies gave you hell for this whole scenario didn’t they?”

Brian chuckled. “Yeah but it was worth it. Can I ask you something Chris?”

“Fire away.”

“Why didn’t you ever make a pass at Maggie in college all those years ago?”

“Why?”

“I’m just curious.”

“I don’t know,” He shrugged. “ I had plenty of opportunities but we were always getting interrupted just as I was about to make my move.”

“I can relate to that.”

“Don’t tell me you haven’t had girls falling all over themselves for you?”

“Sure but the ones that were worth the time and effort passed me by until Maggie came along and there’s my angel now,” he grinned as she and Trish approached the two of them.

Brian slipped his arm around her waist and she pecked him on the cheek before whispering in his ear, “This has been the most wonderful night of my life and I love our friends and all but I’d really love to be alone with you right now.”

He turned his head once she’d finished whispering. “Is that so?”

She twisted her lip between her teeth and nodded.

He kissed her softly then made a move up to the stage one more time. The DJ handed him the microphone. “I just want to thank all of you for making this a night to remember not only for us but hopefully for yourselves as well. Maggie and I are going to head out now but you are welcome to hang around and enjoy yourselves for a couple more hours. Goodnight and thank you again!” He handed over the microphone and rushed to Maggie’s side. He couldn’t get her out of there fast enough. The limousine was waiting and as soon as they were settled, he kissed her just as he did the first time they kissed. “I love you so Maggie.”

“I love you so Brian.”

“One more thing,” he replied as he retrieved the two champagne flutes and the bottle that had been chilling since they’d been inside. He popped the cork and poured the bubbly liquid into their glasses. He returned to her side and handed her one.

“This wasn’t in here before was it?”

“No, but I did ask him to start chilling it once we were inside.”

“ You are just full of surprises tonight Mr. Littrell.”

“Only for you I would do this angel.” She’d made him the happiest man alive tonight and just by the glow on her face, he knew he’d made her the happiest woman in the world. “ To us.” He raised his glass and she joined
him; glasses clinking.

“To us.” After taking a sip of her champagne, she
said,” Should we take a picture of my ring and send it to our folks?”

“You really want to do that?”

“I know my mother will never be happy for me but my dad will and I know yours will be over the moon for us.”

“Okay,” he agreed and took out his phone. After saving it , he captioned it with ‘she said yes! We’ll call tomorrow’ and hit send to all their numbers.

“Now that we’re done with that………”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10907