Time Changes Everything by ResaD
Summary:

Some things just never stay the same; though if they did, simpler it would be all around; for Brian, for his best friend Theresa, and for this other best friend, Nick. But whoever said love was simple; or that matters of the heart…were simple?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 14745 Read: 14549 Published: 08/02/13 Updated: 12/12/14

1. Chapter 1: Best Friends by ResaD

2. Chapter 2: Meet n Greet by ResaD

3. Chapter 3:Spilling The Beans by ResaD

4. Chapter 4: Time To Celebrate by ResaD

5. Chapter 5: Words Aren’t Always True by ResaD

6. Chapter 6: Surprises by ResaD

7. Chapter 7: Seeing With New Eyes by ResaD

8. Chapter 8: Brian’s Temper Tantrum by ResaD

9. Chapter 9: Time For No More Lies by ResaD

10. Chapter 10: Being Caught by ResaD

Chapter 1: Best Friends by ResaD
Chapter 1: Best Friends

Brian searched all around the school and finally found her on the bleachers in the gym, as was her usually thinking place. He ran up the steps, and though she didn’t glance up, she knew it was him. He walked over to her and gently nudged her arm and then sat down next to her.

“Hey you.”

“Hey,” she mumbled back, playing with the edge of her book, running her long painted nails over it.

“You wanna talk?”

“Not really Bri.” She kept her eyes glued to the math book that was sitting there on her lap. He knew she was good at math but he knew she wasn’t fascinated by it.

“Talk to me.” She blinked a few times, finally lifted her head and then turned to look at him.

“What’s to talk about Bri? You’re leaving and your dreams are coming true. You told me just the other day how you were talking to Kevin and he got into that group and how you envied him. I know what you want; after all, I am your best friend.” Brian watched her and then reached over to wipe a tear away.

“You are my best friend, that’s never gonna change.” She glanced up again, her eyes watery. With all her heart, she wanted to believe that; that their friendship was strong enough to with stand anything and everything.

“You promise? That when you get all big and famous on me, you won’t forget us little people, back here in this small town?”

“Oh hon, how could you ever suggest that? You, of all people, know me better than that. I could not forget some of my biggest supporters.” She sighed again, looking down at his hand on her arm.

“Fine. So, when do you leave?”

“Saturday morning. They want me out right away.”

“I have to finish this year without you? Really Brian? What about graduation? Prom? Our parties?” He looked at her and tried to say something, anything, but in all truth, he had no idea. He really doubted he could get the time off for any of those things but right now, he couldn’t bear to hurt her more than he already had. But she shook her head, seeing the truth in his eyes. Lying was never a strong point for him and he sure wasn’t going to start now. “Forget it, just forget it.”

“Wait, Theresa…”

“I’ll be there to see you off, you know that. And you will always have my support, but right now, at this exact moment, do not expect me to be happy, cause I can’t be.” With that, she got off the bleachers and made her way outside, her heart in her throat. How could he do this? Right now, when she needed him so badly? And how could she be so selfish? Yes, she knew this was dream. In fact, it would probably go beyond all his dreams, and with all her heart, she wanted that. But still, part of her could only imagine what life would now hold in store for them.

She went to her locker and put her stuff away, resting her forehead against the cold metal door, both her mind and her heart spinning. What was funny, was she was in the classroom with him, but even he didn’t know what was going to happen. But, deep within her, she knew. And after that, she really couldn’t stand to see him, so she ditched the last class. Even more sad was how he knew how, or more like where, to find her.
She shook her head, grabbed her rather empty backpack, flung it over her shoulder and started walking home. And, as his best friend, maybe she lied. She was happy, like she was happy for Kevin, but there was no way she was going to tell him that.

-----
She tossed the football to her younger brother, frowning as she heard someone kick the rocks in her backyard. There was only person who came to her house that way. She sighed, knowing it had been two days since she really talked to him and he was leaving tomorrow. She threw one more pass before turning around and looking at Brian. He caught the ball as James tossed it to him.

“You’re getting better at that little man.”

“Thanks Bri! It’s sure going to be boring with you gone. I gotta deal with my sis alone.”

“Give her some credit man. One day, you’re gonna be the one looking out for her.” Brian gave James back the ball after he hugged the little guy.

“James, go wash up. And then help mom.”

“But…”

“James, don’t make me beat you up.” He squealed and ran inside at her threat.

“You know, that scare tactic is only gonna work for so long?”

“I know. But until he gets older, and learns, I’m gonna use it.” Theresa walked over to the bench they had underneath a tree and sat down; Brian quickly following. “I owe you an apology, Bri. I’ve been down right rude about all of this, and I shouldn’t have. It would be like me getting an internship in New York. You would be hurt that I left, but you would always support me.”

“I know. And I can’t blame you for being hurt. We had a ton of plans together. And I don’t know, who says they still can’t happen?”

“We both know that,” she took his hand and smiled at him, “it won’t happen. I want you to become famous. You have a huge amount of talent, and they will see it and you’re gonna rule the world!” They both laughed, though for each, it might have been a little forced.

“Come with me out to the lake? Mom said I should spend my last night with my best friend.”

“Sure. Let me go grab my jacket.”

-----
They both giggled as they brought up past memories, their favorite being when they shared their first kiss there last summer.

“You know, you were my first kiss?” Theresa turned her head and looked at Brian, smiling all the more.

“You were mine too.” He took her hand and linked his fingers through hers.

“Have you ever thought about doing more?”

“You mean with you?” She bit her lip and then smiled as he blushed. God, she loved that blush on him. “Of course Bri. You really are my best friend, you’re really the only person I’m comfortable with.”

“Same here.” They stared in each others eyes, both of them longing for so much more. And at least for tonight, it didn’t matter that he was leaving and could quite possibly forget all about her; no matter what was said or promised.

He used his other hand to cup her cheek and slightly pulled her closer, his own head inching forward even more. Both took their time, both giving the other person room and time to stop. But with a few breaths, their lips were once more touching, and for both teenagers, time stopped and nothing mattered but these precious moments.

Theresa wrapped her arms around his neck and Brian slid his hands down her side and around her back. Theresa let out a soft moan against his lips; a need building slowly in her that was matched by Brian.

He slowly pushed her on her back and then followed her down, neither one of them wanting to stop. Brian’s hands slid under her shirt and pushed it up, his fingers trailing softly over her skin, savoring every feeling and emotion that was new. For both of them, this was all new, and yet, it seemed like it was natural for as close as they were. Brian finally pulled back and looked at her, her eyes burning as brightly as his.

“Are you sure?”

“I want it to be special Bri; and you’re special.” With that, she pulled his head back down to kiss him again.

-----
Theresa stood back as Brian said goodbye to his family, his mom more teary eyed, no matter how much she held back.

“You can tell Kevin I will be holding him accountable! He better watch out for you. And you can bet I will be talking to his mom!”

“Mom, leave Auntie out of this, goodness.” He gave them another hug and then turned to her. “You gonna be okay?”

“It’s gonna be quiet, I know. But, maybe the teachers won’t be so mad at me now.” They shared a laugh and then they hugged tightly, both wishing this wasn’t happening and yet, at the same time, wishing it went far. “Take care Brian. And I want tons of phone calls and letters and updates!”

“You got it. Take care.” He smiled at her, hearing his final boarding call, waved to everyone and then ran to the entrance. Everyone stayed until the plane disappeared and then the quiet bunch made their way back to the car.
Chapter 2: Meet n Greet by ResaD
Author's Notes:
Gotta love when stories take turns you never thought they would have. Glad you're enjoying this journey!
Chapter 2: Meet N Greet

She watched them, her mind going crazy at the mere thought of what has happened over the last six years. Talk about shooting up to fame! Oh, she heard the stories, for Brian did talk to her, but not nearly what they thought. And over the years, I guess you could say their friendship wasn’t much of anything. Hell, she could probably count the number of times her and Brian had talked over the last two years on one hand. And that was pretty sad for being so called best friends. But that was now water under the bridge.

She clapped and sang along with the songs, for she could admit she was a fan. Not just because she knew two of the guys, but because she enjoyed their music. She even let out a few screams when one of the guys got a little too sexy, although, she almost waved when Brian walked to her side of the stage. But amongst all the people, there was no way he saw her, or so she thought. After the set, he rushed backstage and within moments after that, there were two guards coming up to her and slipping her a VIP pass, along with a note to come back after the show. She shook her head, and shoved both into her back pocket.




“Well, I will be damned. If it isn’t Mister Kevin, all star, Richardson.” He quickly turned around, smiled and then went over to give her a hug.

“I thought B-Rok had lost his mind when he said he saw you in the crowd.”

“Well, you know me, had to come see what all the fuss was about.”

“And?”

“Nothing really exciting.” Kevin rolled his eyes at her.

“Whatever. Here, let me introduce you around. This here,” he took the hand of a taller woman, “is Kristen, my girlfriend. Kay, Brian’s long time friend. God, she used to bug me.”

“Shut up Kevin! It’s a pleasure Kirsten.” Theresa held out her hand, which Kristen took with a smile.

“Like wise. So, Brian huh?"

“Gosh yes. Is he still a pain in the ass?”

“Very much so. Him and Nick are the worst. Maybe that’s why they get along so well.”

“And Nick is the blonde one, right?”

“Right. Babe, introduce her to everyone.” She poked Kevin, who grinned at his girlfriend and then took Theresa’s hand.

“Well, the one with the tattoos is AJ. AJ, Brian’s best friend. And this is Howie.” She shook both of their hands, smiling.

“It’s a pleasure. You guys put on a great show tonight!”

“We enjoy performing,” AJ said, shrugging and leaning against the table. He felt it shake and then quickly straightened, seeing Nick trying to shake it. “Carter!”

“The second trouble maker. Yo Nick, come here.” Nick glanced at Kevin, pushed his blonde locks away and walked over.

“Man, why you cheating on Kay?”

“God you’re young. I’m not! Theresa, the pain in the butt, Nick. Nick, this is Brian’s best friend.” His lips pouted into a frown after Kevin’s speech but shook her hand.

“I’ve known Brian for quite a while. But, you’re still his best friend. Don’t doubt that.”

“Good. It’s nice to meet you.”

“Like wise Nick.”

“Does B-Rok know you’re here?”

“I have a feeling he’s the one who hooked me up with the VIP pass here.”

“You’re right about that.” She turned around and smiled brightly.

“Brian!” He scooped her up and into a big hug and held her tightly.

“I’m glad you came. I talked to mom and she said the last time she spoke to you, you didn’t know if you were coming.”

“Yeah, well, I got a break, so I thought I might as well see you once.” Theresa smiled then stepped away as a woman walked up to Brian and slipped her arm around his waist.

“Sorry honey. LeighAnne, meet one of my best and longest friends, Theresa; Theresa, my girlfriend, LeighAnne.” Theresa shook her hand, but her eyes kept straying back to Brian; anyone with eyes could see how much in love Brian was; which meant that marriage was probably on his mind. So, much for her dream of marrying her best friend.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Theresa. Bri talks about you and it’s nice to finally put a face with a name.”

“It’s nice to meet you too. Brian has spoken about a love a few times, but for some unknown reason, Brian never gave me a name.”

“Brian!” LeighAnne gently hit him and you could easily see the love between them.

“So, are you guys staying in town a few days?”

“You mean to tell me, you aren’t like a die hard fan because you know Brian?”

“No, Nick, I’m not. I like your music, but I have no reason to ogle all of you.”

“Oh.” His face fell as he sat down. “But you don’t find any of us sexy?”

“Nick, shut up,” AJ told him as he walked up behind him and slapped the back of his head. “She knows the guys. I’m sure that’s a big turn off.”

“How about we don’t talk as if I’m not here,” she tried to get out between her fits of laughter.

“In answer to your question, Theresa, yes, were have a few days off and I was gonna show some of the guys around. Or well, Kevin and I were. You’re more than welcome to stay and help me. After all, I’m sure you know more then me.”
“Of course. One of us had to stay awake in history to make sure we both passed it.”

“I think,” LeighAnne said, walking up to Theresa and slipping her arm through Theresa’s, “that you can shed some unholy light on the innocent guy of the group here.”

“You know what LeighAnne, you’re right. I’ve heard the nickname so to speak and had to wonder why they seemed to call him that.” Brian only blushed as everyone laughed at her comment.

-----
She went back to her hotel, throwing her purse on the table, her head spinning. Maybe she had some feelings for Brian; they were best friends after all. And she sorta hoped by coming out here and seeing everything, that his love was just a fluke. But then she should have known better. This was her Brian she was talking about.

She sighed, rubbing her temples from the headache that Nick seemed to give her. Don’t get her wrong, he was nice enough, but damn was he way immature. And for that alone, she had to wonder how Nick and Brian ended up becoming best friends, for in some ways, they were so much on the opposite ends.

She kicked her shoes off and sat down in the chair, really thinking about Brian and the group. It was great to see him and Kevin, though she missed them, but she was more than happy that their dreams came true. Well more like all of this craziness exceeded their dreams. And that’s exactly what it was; straight up craziness. How they could stand all that screaming, all that stalking, she wouldn’t understand.

She got up as she heard a knock, not really expecting anyone, even though she told Brian where she was staying. So, she was quit surprised to see him there, along with a bodyguard.

“I’m not gonna maul you, you know?”

“I know, but the coming here could have had me mauled.” She laughed and bid them both to enter but his bodyguard declined and said he would be at the bar and would be ready when Brian came back down.

“I promise to take care of him.” She closed the door behind Brian and turned to him. “I didn’t think you would stop by.”

“And miss the chance to hang out with my best friend, are you kidding?”

“Well, you know, this is a best friend you don’t talk to very much anymore.” She walked back over to her chair and sat down, waving her hand for Brian to do the same.

“Hey, you would not believe how busy I...we have been. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t still see you as my best friend. Trust me; there are things you know that no one else knows.” She just stared at him, a brow raised, a smirk on her lips.

“And that’s supposed to make a friendship? Communication is also a huge deal!” She knew it was mean, but she liked teasing him, she liked seeing him squirm, since it was something he normally didn’t do. And after a few moments of staring at her in shock, he finally saw the teasing glint in her eye.

“Oh you’re horrible!”

“Learned from the best.” They laughed for a bit before he leaned back in the chair. “I’m glad to see how happy you are though.”

“I am. All of this is just amazing. It was a rough start and a slow one, but goodness, when it went boom, none of us were quite expecting it.”

“Yeah, I gathered that much. I’ve pretty much followed your whole career here. And you know how proud I am of you.”

“I know. So, since you met them, what do you think of the guys? And of LeighAnne?”

“Well, they all seem cool, certainly nice enough. Nick is too immature though. And AJ is kinda freaky. Howie was very sweet, but kinda quiet. And as for LeighAnne, I liked her. And it’s obvious to anyone that you two are madly in love.”

“Yeah, we are. I’m glad you like her.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m going to ask her to marry me.”
Chapter 3:Spilling The Beans by ResaD
Chapter 3: Spilling The Beans

Those words kept playing over in her mind the next day, not sure what to make of everything he said. It wasn’t like he wanted her approval that much was obvious. So, why did he care so much that she liked LeighAnne?

“You’re quiet, what’s wrong?” She looked up from her soda and glanced at Nick, who had already pranked her twice, which caused Brian to be mad at him, which, of course in turn, had Nick be mad at her; so she was more than surprised he was even noticing that. But, looking around the table, she could see everyone else in some type of conversation and that pretty much left him alone, not a good thing.

“Uh, nothing Nick. Just thinking over things.”

“Like?”

“All of this, the fans, my job.”

“It’s all a bit much.” He wrinkled his nose and though she thought him young, and did not share the opinion of every die hard BSB fan that said Nick was the sexy one, she could admit that little motion was cute.

“I’m not sure I could handle that constant hounding, or the screaming.”

“It’s very fattening though.” She bit he lip and tried so hard not to laugh but a few chuckles escaped anyway.

“It’s flattering Nick, not fattening.”

“Oh!” He ducked his head, a blush creeping up on his little cheeks.

“It’s okay though, I promise not to say a word about it.”

“Thank you.” He cleared his throat, looked around and then looked back at her. “So, what can you tell me about Brian?”

“What do you wanna know? I’m sure at this point Nick, you know more about that man then I do.”

“Not really, we don’t know much about his past.”

“Ah, I see. You want me to spill the beans on the ‘Saint Brian’ over there.” She took a sip of her soda and then leaned back, starting the tale of when they were in Junior High and how he had put stink bombs in all five of the girls bathrooms and how quite a few of the girls ran out scared and stinky. “I was one of them. But I know what pain in the ass had done it. You see, Brian tried stopping me from going to that particular bathroom but it didn’t work.” By the time she wrapped up her story, she had everyone watching her.

“My Brian was a pain in the butt?”

“Sorry LeighAnne, but WAS is not the right word. I think that IS, is the right term.” That caused another round of laughter from everyone.

“Why have we never heard anything like this Brian?”

“Cause, Howie, he’s not going to tell and I’m pretty sure that Mr. Kevin won’t dare breath a word. He is, after all, afraid of some certain cousins I do believe.” Everyone busted out laughing yet again.

“Now, Theresa, do you really think it’s best to keep going through such horrible stories?”

“Oh yes, I do Saint Bri, because if they haven’t figured it out by now, then they need to know. You should just be so lucky that I don’t take such stories to the press. Should I inform them of the time when you were interviewed for the play by the school newspaper and how all you did was goof around, so much in fact, that the reporter said the only reason that you got the lead of such a down right serious role was because you could sing, and the play would flop because of you?”

“Did you have to go there?”

“Yes, because the reporter was me! And you knew better!” She shook her head as everyone cracked up.

“And you get on my case because I happen to be non serious, B-Rok?”

“I have an evil twin Nick, you have nothing.”

“Hey, that’s a lie!” Nick pouted a bit and Theresa patted his arm.

“Don’t let him get to you. Bri had always hated being in such a horrible light. And if you all will excuse me,” Theresa said, standing up, “I gotta run to the ladies room.”

“I’ll join you,” LeighAnne offered, getting up as well and walking with Theresa.

“Thanks Leigh.”

“No problem. Actually, I wanted to talk to you.” Theresa pushed the door open, and then turned to look at LeighAnne, fearing the worst of this meeting.

“What about?”

“Brian.” LeighAnne leaned against the counter and crossed her arms.

“Oh.” Theresa licked her lips and smiled. “Do go on.”

“You know him better than anyone. Do you think he might be thinking of marriage with me?” Theresa just stared at LeighAnne for a few moments, quite shocked to hear that instead of the whole ‘stay away from my man’ speech. “Theresa?”

“I’m sorry. That’s just not what I was expecting.”

“It’s not? What did you think I was gonna say?”

“That he was your man and I had best stay away.” She put her hand to her chest and shook her head.

“Goodness, no. Brian has talked about you and I know how close you two are. I could never ask him to choose. Besides, I’m secure in his love for me.”

“Good. Because he is in love with you, very much so. You really landed a good man there Leigh.”

“Thank you. I like to think I did too.”

-----
After lunch, they all walked around, taking a few of the sights, laughing some at the antics of Brian and Nick. And as she sat back and watched those two, she could see why they got along. Brian would always be a big ol’ kid at heart and Nick was just a kid.

Way too young for her tastes, which was fine. Unlike half of the girls around the world, she just couldn’t fantasize about any of them. Of course, knowing that they had serious girlfriends just drew them out of her realm even more.

“Do you smoke?” Theresa quickly turned around and looked at AJ.

“Uh, no. Do you think you should be?”

“Probably not. But it’s the only way I can seem to help fight off the edge.” Theresa tilted her head and looked at him. Now, she said she didn’t find them all that sexy, but she could admit that the voice she loved most was AJ’s. She really hated to think of him losing it at any point because he was so young and so stupid to get caught up in something like that.

“The edge?”

“Yeah. The stress, the pressures, it all becomes hard to deal with at times and it’s not like I can drink.” She watched him light up and take a few drags, seeing a path for him that could possibly hurt way more than ever be helpful.

“I know you don’t know me, and I know your probably gonna look at me like I’m crazy, and you certainly can, but please be careful. There’s a lot of things that are open to you all of you and I would really hate to see anything happen to you or any of the guys.” With that she walked away, her stomach twisting and went in search of Brian, not sure what she was going to tell him.

------
“So, you think the guys are okay?” Brian sat down on the chair next to Theresa and nudged her.

“I do. I like them, all of them are rather cool. Except for Nick. He’s way too young and rather acts immature.”

“So you don’t share the love that he’s like this sexy one?”

“God no! Reminds me way too much of James, maybe that’s why he irks me.”

“How is your brother?”

“Good. Off at basic training.”

“I thought that’s what he was saying in his last letter. So I gather your scare tactics don’t work anymore?”

“Nope, haven’t for a while. Well, except the one where I say I’m gonna tell mom. Gets him to stop being a prick long enough.”

“I’m glad you’re doing well, Theresa.”

“I am. I guess my life is headed down a good path and I can’t object to it.’

“Someday, I want you happy, like I am.” He took her hand and squeezed it, meaning that with his whole heart, no matter who it was.
Chapter 4: Time To Celebrate by ResaD
Chapter 4: Time to Celebrate

She fixed his tie and then smoothed out his labels, smiling up at him. His blue eyes looked down at her, and for all their past, he was happy that she had stayed his ever loyal best friend.

“I think, Mr Littrell, you are ready to say I do.”

“Are you sure?”

“Uh, yeah, you have a crap load of people out there that you can’t send home. You have a few reporters who would be devastated that they can’t take their pictures of a Backstreet Boy. And you got me into a pinkish dress. So, hell for that alone you’re ass is getting married!”

“Thank you.” She frowned as she watched him. She hadn’t done anything that she was aware of, and certainly nothing that would be making him thank her. “For all of this. For helping us and then for being here. Leigh loves you to pieces and you know that.”

“I do, and I love her too.”

“And I’m just really glad you two get along so well.

“Brian, stop thinking like that.” He took her hands and shook his head.

“You don’t understand. You, right next to my future wife, mean the world to me. I’m glad that you have been here through out all of it, keeping me strong when all I wanted to do was fail. I know life hasn’t been easy for you with the miscarriage and then run away groom and I’m sorry, but having your strength has been amazing. No words could ever thank you.” Theresa cleared her throat a few times and then gave him a hug, burying her head in his neck, her tears slowly coming out. They, even as friends, had been through so much and this road that he was going really didn’t have her in it. Well, to some degree anyways. “You’re my best friend Theresa,” he whispered, rubbing her back.

“Hey now, I do not want to go tell that lovely blonde that you are in here hugging another chick.” Theresa pulled away, wiping her eyes and glared at Nick.

“Do you have a lighter on you? Or matches?” she asked Nick.

“No. Oh my God, have you not forgotten about that?”

“Nick, you set my hair on fire! How can I forget about it? And I have hairspray in it now, so I really don’t want you touching me!”

“Please! B-Rok, can you please inform her that I’m not some type of jokester anymore?”

“Can’t Nick, you pranked her just the other day, giving her that cupcake.” Theresa whirled around to see Nick waving his hands at Brian.

“That was you? You said Kevin had bought that for me. Oh, damn it Carter, even in this dress and heels I’m kicking your ass. Get back here you damn giant!” Theresa ran by Brian who quickly caught her arm.

“Stop, you can get him later. Right now, you gotta finish helping me.”

“Only cause it’s your wedding and I don’t want to take wedding pictures with someone who will ruin them.”

“Thank you.” Theresa grabbed Brian’s jacket and held it up for him. “Did I mention your walking down the aisle with Carter?” Theresa narrowed her eyes at Brian and growled at him.

-----
“You look lovely, by the way.” Theresa linked her arm through Nick’s and held onto her flowers.

“Thank you, but that does not make me forgive that stunt you pulled. I was washing my mouth out for two hours and still didn’t get all the black off.”

“That was horrible of me. But it was pretty damn funny too.” Theresa rolled her eyes, slowly walking down the aisle.

“Why did we get paired up?”

“Ask LeighAnne. She said something about us looking good together.” But before she could ask anything, they had come up to the alter and had to go separate ways. As LeighAnne started down the aisle, Theresa turned slightly to watch Brian, smiling at all the love that was shinning in his eyes. Silently, she was so thankful that he had found his true love. And though she and Brian had a few brief moments, she knew that her relationship with Brian would never be like that.

As LeighAnne walked up to Brian and took his hand, you could see the love coming from her as well. In face of everything that had happened to Theresa, she longed for what these lovely people shared. She smiled at Brian as he glanced at her and turned her attention to Nick, surprised to find him staring at her so intently. Mentally, she shrugged, seeing that as another question to ask him. With that, she turned her attention back to the couple, wanting to hear the vows that they had written for each other.

-----
Three hours later, Theresa leaned against Nick, laughing at how crazy he was, her sixth drink in her hand. If there was anything she could say about LeighAnne, she knew how to throw a party. Not only was the wedding beautiful, but so was the reception, which so did not look like it was going to end.

“Do you need another drink?” Nick asked, slipping his arm around her waist.

“I would love another, thank you.”

“Don’t you think you’ve had enough?” She whirled around and narrowed her eyes at Brian.

“Are you kidding? I think I’m just getting started.” She giggled and then hiccupped, LeighAnne coming up to Brian and kissing him.

“Baby, let Theresa be, she hasn’t crashed our party and she’s in good hands.” She smiled at Nick and AJ, who were currently watching Theresa.

“I don’t need a baby sitter. Really Bri.” Theresa waved off Brian and took the drink that Nick held out for her. But Nick caught Brian’s eye over her head and nodded his head in that silent understanding.

“Theresa, let’s dance,” AJ said, taking the drink and setting it on the table, grabbed her hand and pulled her out on the dance floor. She squealed and both Brian and Nick shook their heads.

“Just make sure she’s safe man,” Brian said, clapping his friend on the shoulder, leaving Nick alone to watch the crazy duo.

-----
“My feet are killing me Nick,” she grumbled, lifting her feet and curling them under her, causing her to lean against him. He sighed and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. She was past wasted and he blamed AJ for that dumbass move. He kept telling AJ to stop getting the drinks, but dumbass that he was, he wouldn’t stop. In fact, he was just as bad. Although, he was currently past out on the opposite side of the limo. God, Brian was gonna kill him if anything happened to Theresa. And with AJ in the mood he was in, any ass was good to screw.

Nick wrinkled his nose at that, his mind already picturing the screaming that would happen if AJ managed to do that! Nick firmly believed that they would be minus two members, for Bri would be locked away for murder.

Nick rubbed his face with his free hand and then gently shook Theresa. They had stopped outside the hotel, but his only really concern was getting Theresa up and to her room safely. She moaned and leaned more against him. Great, just flippin’ great.

“AJ, you dumbass, wake up!” Nick rolled his eyes as AJ only turned over and ended up falling to the floor.

“What the hell?”

“Get up, we are at the hotel.”

“Help me in man.”

“I can’t. Theresa is past out and I told Bri that I would make sure she was safe.”

“Mmm, Theresa, one very fine woman. Here, let me help you with her. You know, she might be too heavy for you to carry.” But before AJ could come any closer, Nick pulled back and decked AJ, wincing at the pain that shot through his arm, but figured it was worth it, if it kept a dumb shit away.

“You asshole! That hurt! Damn you, you little prick!”

“Good, now get your own ass up to your own damn room.” With that, Nick lifted her up and carried her up to her room, quickly getting her key out of her purse. He laid her on the bed and went to turn on some lights, making his way to her mini bar and then sighed as she went to the bathroom, quickly uploading all those drinks.

He sighed yet again, knowing he was gonna be in for a long night.

-----
The following morning he stumbled off the chair, his shirt long since destroyed by vomit, eye liner and eye shadow. He pushed his hand through his blonde locks and opened her door, blinking a few times as he saw Brian there, a pure murderous gaze on his face.

“Wait, Bri, it’s not what you think!”

“It’s not?! Did you not take advantage of my best friend?”

“No I didn’t!”

“Then why are you half naked?”

“Excuse me, do you not mind screaming?” Both men turned to look at Theresa who was currently looking tempting in nothing more than Nick’s shirt. But before Nick could say anything, Brian already had his fist in motion and connected it with Nick’s jaw.
Chapter 5: Words Aren’t Always True by ResaD
Chapter 5: Words Aren’t Always True

“Brian!” Theresa ran and kneeled next to Nick, carefully helping him up. “What in the world was that for?”

“I told Nick to watch out for her, to keep you safe, not screw you!”

“Brian Littrell, you are a bigger asshole then I ever thought! Nick was been nothing more then helpful. I was throwing up pretty much all night and Nick has been helping. Good grief!” Theresa rolled her eyes and went to grab a towel for Nick. “I’m sorry Nick.”

“That’s it? Then why are you wearing his shirt?”

“Probably because I destroyed my dress and Nick did not want to rummage around my clothes?” She looked up at him and cocked an eyebrow. “And really, what concern of yours is if I did sleep with him? Or any of the guys?”

“I know these guys, how they are, the last thing I want is to hear how they broke your heart or got you knocked up!” She slowly stood up, Nick’s eyes going between her and him. He might not be close to her like Brian was, but even he could feel the heat of anger coming from Theresa.

“I’m not sure who the hell you think you are, but the last time I checked, you weren’t there the day that my whole honor was tossed out the window because my groom ran away.” She waved her hand at his protest. “And you sure as hell weren’t there the day I was in the hospital, in tears, because I had lost a child. You weren’t there to protect me then, so why do you think you can protect me now? And how do you know that I don’t crave that body or something?”

“Theresa…”

“Save it. I hope you have a great honeymoon, hope LeighAnne enjoys the surprise.” With that, she slammed the door in his face.

“You just slammed the door in Brian’s face.”

“I know Nick.”

“He’s not gonna like that.”

“I know that too Nick.”

“Hey Theresa?” She turned away from the door and walked back over to him.

“Yeah Nick?”

“I’m sorry, about your baby and your ex. I didn’t know about it.” She smiled, as he did, when they thought back over how much he had picked on her about being single.

“Yeah Nick, I know.”

-----
Two weeks later, Nick leaned back against Brian’s couch, currently listening to Brian go on about how happy he was in his marriage, even though they had only been married just a few short weeks.

“That’s all great for you man, but some of us just don’t believe in the holy order of marriage.” All three heads turned and looked at him.

“You don’t wanna get married Nick?” LeighAnne asked, leaning against the arm of the chair to watch him.

“No, I just don’t believe that people hold to their vows. After being jilted Theresa, I’m sure you understand.”

“Well, yeah, I understand. But that doesn’t mean I don’t want to get married. Somewhere out here is my prince charming, someone who will love me like I love him.”

“Well I get that, but you still wanna try the whole wedding again?”

“Yeah, because I do believe in true love and wanting to be married. My past, I see, merely as a tool, as a way to be slapped into paying attention. I wasn’t in love with Seth and I could have rushed into that whole situation. So, now I learned to take my time, to be wiser. If something doesn’t feel right, then it’s probably not right.”

Nick just stared at her, her logic making sense, but with his past and his many family members having failed marriages, he just couldn’t understand how he could make a marriage last, for it almost seemed like a curse. Although, he would applaud anyone who did make it. In fact, with Kevin’s marriage, he still wasn’t sure that man was totally happy.

“Well, after that kind of slap, I wish you only the best of luck.”

“Are you thinking I’m gonna need it?”

“I didn’t say that Theresa. I merely wish anyone and everyone the best of luck. I wished these two crazy people luck.” Everyone chuckled and both LeighAnne and Brian got up to go finish dinner.

“You know Nick, you can’t go around thinking the whole world is wrong or that is has something against you. Yes, you have had relationship issues, as would anyone who has been in the lime light like you have. But, really, you will find someone who is gonna want you, all of you, and you wont be able to deny her.”

“Maybe you’re right.”

“I am. I’m a female. Besides, what about that chick you’ve been talking to? I hear you on the phone every night, what’s her name?”

Nick ducked his head at her questions, not wanting to admit that Sonya, the chick he was currently talking to, was more like a screw buddy then a real relationship. But, he sorta shrugged, but by his blush, she knew exactly what kind of relationship they had.

-----
“Thank you for house sitting for us,” Brian said, giving Theresa another squeeze.

“My pleasure. It was fun, joking around with Nick.”

“Yeah, I’m scared to see what could be laying behind a closed door or something.”

“Hey, don’t look at me. I’m not the prankster. That was always you, and you know Nick only takes after you.”

“Yeah, I taught him well.”

“Too well, he did something else to me, damn dip shit!” Theresa rolled her eyes and shook her head.

“Well, what can I say?” Brian chuckled, throwing his arm around her shoulders. “So, will you answer something truthfully?”

“Brian, when have I ever lied to you?” Brian shrugged at that and cleared his throat a few times. “It can’t be that bad.”

“Do you like Nick?”

“Yeah, I guess. He’s a great kid.” She looked at him, wrinkled her brows and then nodded. “No, not like that. Nick is great, funny, but he’ll always be that young boy to me who still pulls pranks. Nick is not my type in any way. And no offense to LeighAnne, but I’m just not the type to date younger guys.”

“So, if he asked you out, you would say no?”

“Probably. Bri, what is all of this? What does it really matter?”

“I like Nick, he’s a decent guy, a great friend. But, right now, he has a lot going on in his life. He doesn’t know how to have a regular relationship. And if you two somehow got involved, I would just hate to see him hurt you.”

“I see. But really Brian, you can rest assured. I could never see Nick in that romantic light. To me, he will always be that little boy I first met who annoyed the crap out of me.”
Chapter 6: Surprises by ResaD
Chapter 6: Surprises

~Present Day~

“When is the last time you saw her man?” Nick asked Brian over the phone as he pulled up to the airport

“Actually, almost a year. She was super busy and we were touring. Thank you for picking her up Nick.”

“And she knows I’m here, right?”

“Yeah. I told her that I was busy so you were picking her up. Just be nice to her man.”

“Hey, I’m always nice to her. Don’t give me that.” Nick rolled his eyes and switched the cell phone to his other ear. “But I’m going in, gate 12, right?”

“Right. Thanks again man. I’ll talk to you in a bit.”

“Alright, later.” Nick ended the phone call and then took a spot, crossing his legs as he waited for the plane to land and then to taxi to the gate.



15 minutes later he stood up and smiled as he saw her walking over to him. He let his eyes roam over her, taking in the shorter hair and the slimmer body. She had lost quite a bit of weight and where she was beautiful before, she was gorgeous now; no, actually, quite stunning.

“Something shocking Nick?”

“You! You look…amazing.” She grinned and blushed and then stood on tiptoe and threw her arms around his neck.

“Thank you. And so do you! You’ve lost quite a bit too. I guess going to the doctor really kicked your butt?”

“Like you wouldn’t believe, actually. And what about you?” He walked her over to the baggage area and grabbed the ones she pointed to.

“It was a personal choice actually. I guess over the many years, I lost my self confidence and let myself go. I was getting older and wanted to be healthier, happier.” He turned to look at her as he walked to the car.

“You look happier. It shows all over, but mostly in your face.”

“Thank you Nick.” He smiled and helped her in the before walking around to the driver side. “And how are things going in your life? Last rumor I heard, you were in quite a serious relationship?”

“Was; we broke up about six months ago.”

“Aw Nicky, what happened?”

“She kept pushing marriage.”

“She knew how you felt about it going into the relationship, right?”

“Of course. I never lead her on or played with her that way. We were living together, hell had a kid together, yet that wasn’t enough for her.” Theresa stared at Nick, not hearing anything about a kid. Slowly, she shook her head to clear it.

“Kid, Nick?”

“Oh yeah, things can be kept mum when we want them to be. Not that I’m ashamed of my son, he’s a gorgeous nine month old who reeks havoc on my life.”

“What’s his name?”

“Damian Gene Carter. He’s mom, Julie, wanted him to have my middle name. Why, I’m not sure.” He shrugged, merged into the on coming traffic and headed down the highway to Brian’s house.

“So, tell me more about what happened here. It must have been serious for all this to happen.”

“Oh it was. Julie was amazing. Smart, funny, witty, charming and yet laid back. And when we got together, she was fine, she accepted everything. And when we moved in and I told her that would be it, she was fine with that too. I’m not sure where things changed to be honest. I have my feelings it was her sisters thoughts; they probably told her to push for more. And there, at the end of the relationship, she did. Almost daily we had a blow up about it. I felt so bad for my son, so I took him and walked out.”

“Wow, so you have full custody?”

“Yup. And I have a court order stating I had to hire a nanny when I’m on tour or recording. It’s actually quite interesting.” She smiled and couldn’t resist turning around in the seat and glanced back to see the back seat, seeing the car seat behind her.

“That’s why the car.”

“Yeah. I still have my SUV, that will always be around, but I need something a bit better to protect my son.” Theresa leaned back against the door and just watched this young boy she knew becoming an amazing man. One didn’t need many clues to see how happy Nick was, nor how proud he was. She also could understand why he would keep that precious news as secret as he could. If the fans knew, really especially without his mom around, yeah, they would go crazy.

“Did Brian watch him?”

“Yeah, I think LeighAnne misses having a baby in the house. Quite surprised she’s not pregnant and working on her seventh kid.”

“I know. And though she isn’t old, age does play a part in it.” Theresa shrugged, understanding more about how LeighAnne felt.

“And what about you? No major boyfriends?”

“God no. I’ve dated, had some good men in my life, but they all were missing something.”

“Sure you weren’t being picky?”

“God, you sound like my mom. She’s not happy that James got married and gave her grand babies, no she has to pick on me.” Theresa glanced out the window and sighed. “When I marry, I want to feel, like no matter what, I can’t live without him; that he is the very air I breathe. With all of those guys, I haven’t felt that. Though great and amazing, the spark wasn’t there to go to the next stage of the relationship. Does that even make sense?” Nick pulled up to Bri’s drive way and took her hand, liking the warmth and the softness.

“To me, it makes perfect sense. Now, let’s get you in so Brian and Baylee can shut up.” They both laughed and he grabbed her bags, helping her out and then headed inside, seeing LeighAnne with Damian. “There’s my boy!” Theresa watched as Nick went go to get him, smiling as Damian gurgled and kicked his legs.

Theresa paused and watched him, really watched him, seeing him transform once he touched Damian. He became a man who was truly happy and with that thought, she ignored the little flutter she felt in her stomach, turning instead to greet the blond boy who currently wouldn’t let her go.

“Hey there Baylee,” she said, squeezing him back.

“I missed you Auntie! Are you staying for a while?”

“Well, how long is your birthday?”

“All month!” They both laughed and she hugged him again.

“We will see how long I can stay sweetie.”

“Okay Bay, my turn to hug my friend, geez.” Brian walked up to Theresa and pulled her into a tight hug. “I’m not all too sure that I like that you got skinny on me.”

“Not your choice hon. But, I wanted to. I needed to feel better about myself.”

“You weren’t that big!”

“I know, and that doesn’t mean anything. When I talked to my doctor, he suggested I work out a bit that it might help my feelings, and he was right. I feel great and look great, and I’m happier now then I have been for a really long time.” He kept his arm around her shoulders as he led her into the kitchen, actually really happy for her, knowing she needed it.

“Good hon. Now, any new love interests?”

“Nope, enjoying the single life again.”

“What’s up with these men? Don’t they know what an amazing woman you are? Do I need to go beat someone up though?”

“No, Brian, you don’t. I know my soul mate is out there; some of us weren’t so lucky to find them on a video shoot.” Brian blushed but hugged her again.

“I know, I just hate seeing you unhappy.” She pulled away from him and went to the fridge, pulling out a soda and shook her head.

“But that’s just it Bri, I’m not unhappy. Right now, I like just focusing on me, fixing what I dislike about me. I’m still young, I know this. And I’m willing to wait for my prince charming instead of forcing happiness.” She popped the lid of her soda and leaned against the counter.

“Okay, I’ll drop the subject for now. But, be ready cause when the other guys come in, they are gonna be asking about it.”

“Brain, I think you’re really the only one who is worried about it, but thank you.” She walked over to him and kissed his cheek. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, there’s an adorable little baby that I wanna play with.”

“Yeah, good luck with that. Damian does not like any females except his grandma and LeighAnne,” Brian informed her as he followed her out of the kitchen and into the living room.

“Now why would that be? I thought all babies liked women?”

“Not Damian.” Brian sat down on the couch, Theresa sitting next to him. She smiled as Damian gurgled and quickly switched his course to come after them. Although, instead of going to Brian like he always did, he went straight to Theresa, using her knees to pull himself up.

“Well hello mister.”

“Brian, have you seen….” Nick trailed off as he watched what his son was doing. “I’ll be damned.”
Chapter 7: Seeing With New Eyes by ResaD
Author's Notes:
So sorry for the delays, things have been beyond crazy...but hopefully...i can get back into a swing here. Hopefully, you all are still into the story. :)
Chapter 7: Seeing With New Eyes

Howie walked into the house, holding onto James, Leigh quickly following him, both of their faces lighting up when they saw her. “I thought Bri said you weren’t coming,” Howie said, giving her a hug.

“I wasn’t sure, but work eased up for me, so I was able to crash the party.”

“That’s great.” Howie stepped back and tilted his head slightly as he saw Damian in her arms. “Am I missing something?”

“Nope. Damian has taken a liking to her. Not sure what’s going on, I just know he’s one lucky guy,” Nick said, stepping up behind Theresa, lightly touching her back. Howie glanced behind him, looking at Leigh, both of them sharing a look.

“Esa?” James said, lifting his head and grinned. “Daddy, down, want Esa!”

“She has Damian buddy.”

“No Esa!” She laughed and held her free arm out to him.

“Come on James. Dang, between you, Damian and Baylee, I have no limbs left for Mason or Ava!”

“Oh no, you are not holding that little girl before me!”

“Please Howie; you aren’t anything but an uncle, aunts top uncles!” Leigh wrapped an arm around Howie’s waist and shrugged.

“She has a point.”

“Oh, fine, whatever.” But they all shared a laugh and walked out to the back yard.

“James….hey, that’s my aunt!”

“Baylee, don’t you dare get jealous! Goodness!”

“I didn’t realize that you captured all these men’s attention,” Nick whispered in her ear.

“Neither did I, it’s rather flattering.” She sat down, letting James down so he could go play with Baylee.

“I’m glad Damian has taken a liking to you though. It took months for him to stay with LeighAnne and not cry. As for any other female, forget it.”

“And that’s odd. Most babies will go to the females; it’s normally the males they avoid. But then again, this is your son, which means he’s already gonna be an odd ball.”

“Hey now, I’m not that kid that you remember, you know.” She lifted her eyes and looked into his.

“I know,” she whispered softly. And with those two softly spoken words, both could feel that deep inside of them, something had changed. If it was for the good or for the worse, well, time was gonna have to find out.

-----
“We have arrived!” AJ announced as he walked into the backyard, holding the most precious little girl.

“Hi AJ, hi Rochelle, let me hold her!” Theresa said, shoving Howie out of the way. Both of them cracked up, giving her hugs before handing her Ava. “Oh my gosh, she is so tiny!” Both AJ and Rochelle leaned around her to look behind her.

“Uh, Theresa?”

“Hmm?”

“You’re being followed.” She glanced behind her, busting out laughing as every kid had followed her, Damian bringing up the rear as he crawled as fast as he could.

“Yeah, I guess all the kids love me and have to be where I am.” She turned around and looked at them, lifting Damian up. “Okay, since I seem to be the official babysitter, let’s go.” She grinned as they followed her to the table.

“When did all the kids adore her?” AJ asked as he hugged Brian.

“I’m not quite sure. I think she’s always had a way with kids though.”

“Interesting, even more so with Damian.”

“Yeah, that’s throwing all of us for a loop. Nick more so than anyone else.” AJ took the spot next to Howie, his eyes still glued to the very odd scene.

“Man, snap your eyes back in your head.”

“I’m not staring like that. I’m just, shocked. Besides, you know how protective Nick is of Damian.” Howie lightly touched AJ’s arm.

“I think that Nick’s crush on her has grown.” AJ quickly snapped his head around and looked at Howie.

“You mean that old school boy crush?”

“Oh come on, you know that was way more than some school boy crush.” AJ’s jaw dropped slightly and then he let his eyes run over the crowd, letting them land on the tall blonde.

-----
“There you go James, that’s a great sand castle!” Theresa turned her attention to Baylee and Mason, both who were covering her feet with the sand; and then she glanced at Damian who kept trying to eat the sand. “Icky Damian, you don’t wanna eat that.”

“That’s my boy. Put everything in his mouth now, ask questions later.”

“So I’m seeing. Somehow, I don’t think he should be doing that.”

“How else is he gonna learn?”

“True, I suppose.”

“Hey, Uncle Nick, wanna help us bury Aunt Theresa?” Nick looked at her feet and shook his head.

“I got a better idea little man. Go to you’re mom’s nail polish and bring me that pretty sparkly purple one that she loves.” Baylee jumped up, quickly laughing and ran off to do his uncle’s bidding. Theresa just stared at Nick, waiting for an explanation but Nick only shrugged. Moments later, Baylee ran back and gave Nick the nail polish. “Now, you and Mason sit on her legs.” The kids quickly complied and Nick grabbed her foot, starting to apply the nail polish.

“Nick, what in the world are you doing?”

“You just had the best pedicure, why not get a pretty nail polish?” Nick was not about to share how much he enjoyed doing that, nor how sexy he found feet that were well taking care of.

“Nick!” She squealed a bit and tried to take her foot back, but between him and the kids, there was no where she was going to. “Fine, you win.”

“I usually do,” he said, looking up at her through his lashes, making her stomach twist in ways she never thought possible.



15 minutes later, she wiggled her toes, thinking the purple was a nice color. She glanced beside her and lightly pushed the man there.

“If you can’t make it as a singer, you can paint nails; you did a really good job.”

“Thank you.” He breathed on his nails and polished them against his shirt. “I’m just that good.”

“Oh good grief blondie, I didn’t say all of that.”

“You don’t have to, I already know.” She rolled her eyes and pushed him again.

“You are horrible Nick. I used to like that nerdy kid who had no ego. Now, I got to deal with this giant who has an ego the size of Alaska!”

“There is nothing wrong with having a little confidence, you know?”

“I do know. You just don’t have a little confidence, you have a crap load!” They both laughed, their attention turning to the kids.

“You know, it’s a shame with as good as you are with the kids that God never granted you one.”

“I think after I miscarried, I was pretty scared and really took a lot of precautions. And I still do. But now it’s because the men I was with, I couldn’t picture being a daddy to my baby. Was that stupid?”

“No, you’re waiting for someone special and at some point, he’s gonna arrive.” She turned her gaze to him, thinking how over the last few years and how much he’s grown and just how much she enjoyed talking with him. “What?”

“Just thinking about how you’ve grown. You really have become a dear friend Nick.” She twisted around and gave him a hug.

-----
Brian watched the couple in the sand box, not sure what exactly he was feeling. It wasn’t jealously, or anger; but there was an emotion that he really wasn’t liking. He narrowed his eyes a bit and then turned back to the grill, flipping the burgers.

Mentally, he sighed, trying to figure everything out. It wasn’t that he didn’t want Resa dating, but he really didn’t want her dating Nick. Maybe it had to do with the hurt that Nick would cause when he got tired of Resa.

He glanced back in their direction, seeing that embrace and in a voice much more harsh then he meant to use, he yelled out that dinner was done. All heads turned to look at him but he just didn’t care, not now, not when he had seen that.
Chapter 8: Brian’s Temper Tantrum by ResaD
Author's Notes:
I'M SO SORRY....TALK ABOUT A LACK OF NON WRITING MOJO! But...really...do forgive me please.
Chapter 8: Brian’s Temper Tantrum

“Did I miss something?” Theresa asked as she slipped her feet into the pool by Brian. He had been out there for the last 45 minutes and everyone was asking the same question, what the hell was going on?

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, what is your deal? All of a sudden, you’re like this world class prick. You got no phone call and no one knows of anything. So, since I know you the best, I thought I’d come bug you to see what’s up.”

“Nothing.”

“Hmm, really? Interesting.” She kicked her legs, knowing that would only make him angrier. “You know that you may be able to fool the fans, or those guys, or maybe even your wife, but I’m a very different story, and you should know that.” She placed her hands in her lap and looked at him again. “So, how about we try this again? What the hell is wrong?”

“Let it go, Theresa.”

“Bull shit! Brian, you’re annoying the crap out of everybody! So, please enlighten me here.”

“Fine, you want to know what’s ticking me off here?”

“I think I have a right to know.”

“You!”

“Me what?” She stared at him then slowly her jaw fell down. “You’re upset at me? What the hell have I done?”

“It’s not what you done, but what you are doing. Well, you and someone else.”

“Excuse me?” He stood up and she quickly followed, her hands quickly stopping him from leaving.

“Nick is gonna hurt you!”

“Okay, and?” She kept looking at him, not putting together what he wasn’t saying. Nick and she were just friends, so why was he so damn worried.

“I don’t want you dating Nick!”

“Woah! Let me get this straight...you’re being a top notch prick because you don’t want me to date Nick? There’s nothing going on between me and him!”

“Theresa…”

“No, now is not the time for you to speak, now is the time for you to shut your damn hole and listen! I don’t know who the hell you think you are, but you can not tell me who to date and not date. Yes, you’re my best friend, and by some right, you might have a voice, but you can’t tell me not to see Nick.

“Now, I’m not sure where you got the notion that Nick and I were thinking of dating, but get it out of your head. There is nothing like that between him and me. We are friends, and nothing more!” With that, she flicked her hair over her shoulder and marched off to the house, not believing the gall of her friend.

“Theresa?”

“What?” Theresa sighed and turned around, smiling a bit. “I’m sorry Kev, I didn’t mean to snap at you.”

“Hey, I know how my cousin is. He can tend to really bring out the worst.” Kevin held open his arms and she stepped into them. In many ways, she always felt like Kevin was a big brother to her. He rubbed her back, knowing her too well and knowing that would calm her down. “The kids are down for the night, but they would love a story from their Auntie.”

“Oh, that’s right. I told Baylee that I would read them a story. And they are having a camp out in Bay’s room?”

“Yeah. There’s two cribs set up for Damian and Ava.”

“Thanks Kev.” She smiled at him and than marched up the stairs, entering the room to find all kids wide eyed awake.

“Hey.” Theresa turned her head and smiled at Nick who was changing Damian.

“Hey. Kids ready for bed?”

“I think so.”

“Well,” she turned to three oldest boys, “if they want a story, they all better be in their beds.” She grinned as they all listened. “Are you staying?”

“If you don’t mind. Damian sometimes has a rough time falling asleep.”

“Not at all. That means I can hold Ava and read.” She picked up the little girl and than sat down in the rocking chair, picking up the book. “Everyone all nice and comfy?” She opened the book, cleared her throat and within moments, she had everyone focused on her and the story she was reading.

Nick couldn’t help but smile at her and the way she was. Even Damian, who was fussy because of his teeth, was so entranced by her and soon, his eyes were closed and he was fast asleep. Nick looked around the room, seeing all the kids asleep and stood up to put Damian down, covering him up with the blanket. He kissed his son’s head than stood back, watching her kiss every child and then he lead her out, closing the door behind them.

“You’re really good at that, you know?”

“There’s a joy in being a kid, a child. That’s why I enjoy them so much. I love my brother’s kids too.”

“Someday, you’re gonna make a great mom.” They shared a smile before they both walked downstairs, ignoring the two men who saw them.

“Now, what do you make of that?” AJ glanced at D.

“I’m not sure Howie. But it seems like that Mr. Carter and Miss Lambe sure seem to be getting closer.”

“Yes it does and if I know Brian that could very well be what set him off tonight.” Both men shook their heads, leaving the area as well.

-----
“You know, if Nick is into Theresa, and Theresa is into Nick, you really shouldn’t stop it,” LeighAnne said, not even lifting her gaze from the covers she was currently turning down.

“Are you serious?” She finally paused and looked up at him, an extra pillow in her hands.

“Yes, I am. You know Nick has always been crushing on her. And he’s a man now, and I really don’t think he would hurt her.”

“Now that’s crap if I ever heard it. Nick does not know how to keep a serious girlfriend. And seeing as this is my best friend, I would be damned if I let him hurt her.”

“I don’t think I’ve seen you be such a jerk. They are two adults and if they choose to enjoy each other’s company, you have no damn say in the matter! Now, I guessed you get your head out of your ass and grow up or you run the risk of losing both of your friends. Unless that’s what you want?” She crossed her arms after throwing the pillow on the floor.

“No, I just know that Theresa can do better than Nick.’

“There is nothing wrong with Nick!”

“There is a lot wrong with him!”

“Like what Brian? Give me one damn thing!”

“His age!” LeighAnne just stared at him, not even believing he had a problem with THAT; when their own ages were a bigger difference than Nick’s and Theresa’s.

“If you….never mind. Sweet dreams Brian.” With that, LeighAnne grabbed her house coat and left the room, going to the only guest room she could. If Brian wanted to be that way, than he could sleep alone.

She went to the last door on the second floor, letting out a sigh when she saw the light on and knocked softly. She really hated to bother her, but she was the only one who was alone.

Theresa opened the door, her eyes opening wide as she LeighAnne there. “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah. Would you mind if I crashed with you tonight? Brian and I got in a little spat and I really don’t wanna be around him.”

“Of course. You don’t even have to ask.” Theresa opened the door wider and allowed LeighAnne to enter. “Fight about what?”

“Well, you and Nick.”

“Are you for real? What could you two have possibly fought over?” LeighAnne sat on the bed, pushing her hair behind her ear and sighed.

“I guess he has a huge problem with you two dating. He really feels that Nick is too young for you and is gonna end up hurting you.” Theresa sighed and sat down next to her LeighAnne.

“I’m sorry. I can’t believe he thinks that. LeighAnne, right now, there is nothing going on between Nick and I. To me, he still is that young boy I first met who annoyed the crap out of me.” Theresa closed her eyes and wondered how long she was gonna tell that lie?
Chapter 9: Time For No More Lies by ResaD
Author's Notes:
Okay...another update. SORRY FOR THE DELAY! Hope you enjoy it!
Chapter 9: Time for no more lies

“What are you doing?”

“I came up with some skirt designs that my boss might like,” she said as she roughly sketched a though, adding some shadow and depth to it.

“Are you supposed to be working?” She smirked as she looked back at him.

“Do you not write some type of lyrics when you’re on vacation?” She had him there and he knew it.

“Well, if you weren’t working too hard, I was wondering if Damian and I could entice you to go to the park with us?” Theresa looked at him then at the little boy who was sucking on a teething ring, slobber coming down his chin.

“Well, with a sight like that, I think I would be a fool to say no. You two really make a cute pair.” She put her sketches away and than grabbed her sun glasses. “Do you think the other kids would be mad if I left them behind?”

“Let me see…Rochelle won’t let Ava go; James isn’t feeling that great and Baylee is having fun playing with Mason, so I say for the time being, you’re okay.”

“Well than, Carter boys, you’re on and I would love to go to the park with you.” She stood up on, almost cracking up at the smiled that seemed to light each of the Carter men.


-----
Nick pushed Damian while Theresa sat on the swing next to them, smiling as Damian kept kicking his legs and gurgled. She also couldn’t help but notice the joy that seemed to take over Nick.

“You know, you can’t keep him a secret forever.”

“I know. But can’t I enjoy the peace just a bit longer.” Theresa shrugged and than took a picture of the pair. “So, Brian talks to you, wanna explain what’s up his ass?”

“I do know, am I gonna tell you, no.”

“I’m not a damn child Theresa; you don’t have to protect me.”

“I’m not protecting you. I just think it’s a very foolish notion and has no need to be repeated.” Theresa looked at Nick very seriously and wondered why again, she was lying. Nick was certainly no little blonde boy, but a grown man, a very sexy and handsome grown man.

“It’s about us, huh?”

“What?”

“Brian has a problem with us hanging out huh? Thinks it might become something more?”

“Uh, yeah.”

“I’m not opposed to the idea.” Theresa shook her head at Nick’s comment, not able to wrap her mind around what he was saying exactly. Opposed to hanging out? To becoming more? To Brian being mad?

“Nick…”

“To hanging out, to becoming more.” He knelled down before her and took her hands in his. Now, this was the point of no return. She could reject him or take the leap, but any road that they took; they really could not go back to being just friends.

“You want more?” she softly asked, her eyes glued to his. There was no more time for lies; she was smart enough to know that.

“I do, do you?” They both swallowed and then both smiled.

“I do.” He leaned in, his lips mere inches from hers and than the spell was broken by her ring tone from Baylee, which in turn caused Damian to jerk away with a piercing scream.

“You get Bay, I got Damian,” Nick said, going to pick up his son. Theresa quickly let out a breath and grabbed her phone. “Hey buddy, what’s up?”

“Where are you?”

“I’m at the park with Nick and Damian, do no pull that jealous tone mister.”

“Well, will you both come back? Daddy says we can all get ice cream.”

“I guess we can. Seeing as your uncle Nick is a big kid; he won’t mind the ice cream.” She looked at him and giggled as he stuck his tongue out at her. “We’ll be there in a bit bud.” She hung up and stood up as Nick stepped up to her and took her hand, linking their fingers together.

-----
“Baylee, go help Mason pick up the toys,” Brian said, pushing his son to the room he just run out of, shaking his head. He turned as he heard the car pull up into the driveway and narrowed his eyes as he saw Theresa get out of the car with Nick, a smile on both of their faces. He frowned all the more as Nick got Damian out and then we over to Theresa and took her hand. Silently, he growled. He knew his best friend was smarter than to fall for that stupid ass Carter charm.

He talked to the door and yanked it open, watching the two who stood shocked that he was there. “How nice of you two to come.”

“Brian, we were only gone for an hour,” Theresa said, entering the house, Nick quickly following her.

“Whatever the case, Baylee was asking for you.”

“Brian, Baylee was playing with Mason. He didn’t even know I was gone. In fact, I’m sure you’re the one who told him to call me.” She stepped up to him and narrowed her eyes. I don’t know what bull shit game you’re playing, but it better stop Littrell and I mean now! I’m not dealing with shit heads!”

Brian just stared at her than watched her stomp into the kitchen and turned to look at Nick, who merely had one brow raised. Nick bounced Damian a bit and than looked at Brian again.

“Be careful of how you handle things Brian; you’re likely to lose more than you think.”

“Oh, what do you know?”

“A lot more than you give me credit for! I’m not some kid and you know that. And neither is she; and we would both like it if you treated us with a bit more respect.” With that, Nick turned, grabbed the diaper bag and went into the guest room to change Damian.

Brian sighed and moved to the couch, sitting down and ran his fingers through his hair. He knew he was handling all of this so very wrong, but God, seeing them together was a very hard pill to swallow. And of course, no one was on his side or supporting him. Even AJ was saying that Bri was wrong.

“Daddy, we are ready, are you?” Brian looked up at his song and nodded. He knew he was gonna have to stop and sit down and talk with his friend in a reasonable manner, not blow up at her. With that thought, Brian got up and walked over to Bay.

“I am buddy. Come on guys, let’s get some ice cream.” Everyone shouted as they came from all part of the house, all hooting and screaming.

“I’ll take my car man. Theresa, D, Leigh and James can go with me. Oh, and AJ. Unless you wanna sit next to wifey pooh man.” Nick turned to AJ and puckered his lips, which in turn got him a shove from AJ.

“That’s cool man, I can go with you.” Brian grabbed his car keys and nodded, all of them heading out to the two cars.

-----
“Esa!” James held up his arms as they pulled up the ice cream shop and gout out, Theresa quickly picking James up.

“What do you want little man? Chocolate? So that it will be all over you and daddy can give you a bath.”

“Yeah, thanks for that Theresa,” Howie said, holding the door open for them.

“Oh, chocolate!” James squealed and smiled, which made Howie and Leigh both groan.

“You said it, you can clean him!” Leigh said.

“That’s okay, auntie Theresa likes baths.”

“Oh no hon, he doesn’t take a bath, he has a splash fest!”

“Leigh!” They all laughed as they took a spot in the corner, waiting for Brian. “I would say go get your ice cream guys, you could be here for a while.” Theresa sat James down in a high chair and turned to Nick. “May I have Butter Pecan in a cone please?”

“Coming right up.”

“Thank you.”

“So, Theresa….”

“Yes Mr Howie?” Theresa put the bib on Damian and turned to look at Howie.

“You and Nick?”

“Are….I’m not quite sure. He really isn’t the little boy I once saw. He’s…really quite an amazing guy.”

“He is. Sure, he has his bad points. But I think you two go good together.”

“Why, thank you. Would you please tell Brian that?”

“No one can tell that man anything.”

“I know. Which I don’t get. Brian can be such a jerk.”

“That is true.” Howie sat back, not wanting to get into the reasoning behind that and than grinned as Nick brought the ice cream to Theresa.

“There you go.”

“Thanks Nick, how much do I owe you?”

“A kiss on the cheek?” Theresa grinned and than leaned over to give him one on the cheek, just as Brian was walking in.
Chapter 10: Being Caught by ResaD
Author's Notes:
Trying to get updates going...sorry guys!
Chapter 10: Being Caught

Brian froze in mid step as he watched that, once more his anger boiling over. How dare they? And right in front of him, no less.

“Hey, old man, move it,” Rochelle said from the back of the group. Everyone looked at Brian, including the group in the store and mentally, Brian had to shake himself. He knew what he had to do, which was okay; after all, this road he was on was for the greater good. He knew the type of man that Nick was, know just how Nick was gonna use her than hurt her.

“Sorry guys.” He stepped aside and let everyone in before him, a grin slowly appearing on his face the more he thought about what he had to do. Sure it would hurt but at least this would be a quick pain. Nick breaking her heart in the long run wouldn’t be that quick.

He glanced over at them again, not even paying attention to anyone watching him. His mind set was really on what to do with this new development. Oh, sure, Nick had made a comment or two, but he always thought Resa was smarter than to fall for that kind of charm.

-----
“What did you do to Brian, man?” AJ asked as he walked up behind Nick. Nick glanced back at him, than looked back at his son and shrugged.

“Hell if I know. It’s not like I even asked the woman out.”

“You don’t think, like maybe, he’s in love with her, or something, do you?”

“Really AJ? Brian has eyes only for his wife. Although, I do know that they both happened to lose their virginity to each other.”

“Oh really? Now that’s an interesting piece of info. And that doesn’t bother you man?”

“No, AJ, should it?”

“It gives them a unique bond. Come on, have you ever forgotten the very first woman you slept with?”

“This is different. That woman was not my best friend.”

“It’s not that different. Not when you stop to think about it anyway.”

“Fine. But, no, I don’t think that gives her any special attention or anything, or a special relationship.”

“Whatever you say man.” AJ sat Ava down next to Damian and watched as they gurgled at each other. “You think LeighAnne knows?”

“Do you really think something that big would be kept from LeighAnne?” Both men looked at each other than both of them nodded. That was huge. And if LeighAnne knew that, would she really be so buddy, buddy with Resa; which actually gave a bit more proof to what AJ said.

“I still say there is nothing special. And I think LeighAnne does know.” AJ just shrugged of Nick’s statement then both of them turned their attention to the two women who were walking over to them, arm in arm.

“Hey Nick, hi AJ,” Resa said, sitting down on the grass and cooing at the kids.

“LeighAnne, pop a squat, I wanna talk to you.” Nick flashed his eyes at AJ, but AJ, being AJ, completely ignored him.

“What’s on your mind?” LeighAnne asked, sitting next to AJ.

“You, Brian, and Theresa.” Theresa’s head snapped up and looked at everyone.

“Okay, not that strange of a trio. But what about us?”

“Have you ever had issues with Brian and Theresa’s friendship?”

“AJ!” Nick said, but AJ wasn’t really the type to sugar coat things, nor was he the type to let things slide.

“Issues? Like what? Age? Jealously? Resentment?”

“You said it, not me,” AJ sad, holding up his hands and LeighAnne rolled her eyes.

“Oh, you are horrible. But to answer, yes I did. Look at Theresa, she’s gorgeous. And to know that Brian and her had been so close, that there was such a special bond, you can bet your scrawny ass I was jealous!.” Nick watched as Theresa went on playing with the kids, this bit of news not seeming to bother her.

“So, did you tell Brian?”

“Oh, I didn’t have to. Brian knew there was something off, and Theresa did too. She stopped coming around. Actually, I saw the friendship that they had, and how that her not being around really hurt Brian. I loved my man, but I didn’t want her around.”

“After knowing that, you can only imagine my surprise when I got a phone call asking me to go out to lunch to talk,” Theresa spoke up without looking up.

“But I had to talk to her; I had to figure out if she was really a threat. And maybe when Brian and I started dating, she might have been; but now, or at that point, no way. So, as I got to really know her, I saw what Brian saw in her; why he loved her dearly. And I came to love her just as dearly.”

“So, Brian being such a dick has nothing to do with like wanting Theresa?”

“God no AJ. Brian being that way is simply Brian having an issue that he needs to work out in his own mind,” LeighAnne said as she stood up.

“Uh, AJ, Ava needs a diaper change.”

“Damn babygirl, what did mama give you?” AJ picked up Ava and followed LeighAnne into the house. Theresa looked at Nick and smiled.

“Theresa, has Brian always been like this?”

“No. Personally, it’s you.” Theresa took the spot next to Nick and wrapped her arms around his arm. “I feel that Brian thinks you’re a bad match for me. But, as of right now, there’s nothing going on. We are just two friends hanging out, right Nick?” Theresa lifted her head and looked up at him. Ever since he was younger, she had been able to read him loud and clear. Now, if that was something Nick allowed to happen, he wasn’t quite sure, for no one really could read him quite as well as she could.

So, with that thought really floating through his mind, he wasn’t quite sure if he could lie to save his hide. Nor was he sure that he wanted to lie.

Theresa saw the struggle within those ocean blue depths and then reached up to cup his cheek. Part of her was saying she was a fool to even think about walking down this path. After all, this was Nick Carter and how many broken hearts had he left behind?

But both bodies, both minds seemed to be thinking of their own accord because in the very next instant, the two bodies had closed the distance and lips were currently engaged.

Howie stepped out and saw the couple, quite happy for he knew the depth of attraction that Nick held for Theresa, but he also knew just how very angry one certain Mr. Littrell would be if it was him who walked out to his.

So, with that thought, and a heavy heart, Howie walked over to the couple and cleared his throat, causing both to jump and look at him guiltily.

“It’s just me. And not that I have a problem with you two, there is someone else here who does.”

Nick stood up and rubbed his hand over his jeans than picked up his son, smiled at Theresa, than looked D in the eye, the meaning there was unknown to her and than left. She sighed and stood up as well before facing D.

“Is he a good man?” She was rather glad that she didn’t have to play games with D and that he understood just where she was coming from.

“You know his past Theresa, probably better than some of us. All I can tell you, is that I think with you, and minus what anyone says, I really think he would be more careful with your heart.” She nodded and hugged Howie, smiling to herself; unable to fight that bit of happiness.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11134