A Twisted Fairy Tale by perfumania
Summary: A young girl's dreams come true when she meets the Nick Carter. But life is so not a fairy tale.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Suspense
Warnings: Violence, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 2446 Read: 6607 Published: 06/23/03 Updated: 06/23/03

1. Prologue by perfumania

2. Once upon a time there was a girl.... by perfumania

3. One day she looked for a job... by perfumania

4. New friends... by perfumania

Prologue by perfumania
Hello,
Let me tell you something about myself before we start the story. My name is Surabhi. A difficult name to pronounce, I agree. That is why everyone calls me Surbs. I like the nickname, it works for all my friends. Now you must be wondering why do I have a name like Surabhi? Well, I am an Indian. Not Native American but Indian like from the country India.

I am 19 and in my second year here at Columbia. I am not from NY, actually I came from MA. You must be wondering why I came to NYC when I could have gone to a Boston college. The reason is simple- I am in love. I have always been in love with NYC, and when the chance came to move to college, I came here.

The events that I will narrate to you actually started a year ago and I am still trying to straighten everything with Nick and Justin. Maybe I will get my answer soon but till then....
Once upon a time there was a girl.... by perfumania
So the story basically starts with me coming to NYC 3 days before school started. I was nervous and excited to meet new people and in a new city. The orientation was fun and I made so many friends. I got let’s see....David, he is the cute nerd. I think he likes me but is too shy to say it. Then there is Mad Dawg, he is my unofficial bodyguard because I take him with me to like nightclubs and stuff. We all call him “Boss” because he is so big. There is also Jessie, the idiot. He is the clown of our group and comes up with the most ridiculous ideas ever. He wants to hook up with me but wasn’t that lucky. He’s cool though. There are the girls, Shauna, Sandy and Sara (notice all their names start with S). They are my closest friends and we all do stuff together. Sandy is our beauty queen and Sandy and Sara are her trusted accomplices. Oh and there are the boyfriends. There is the football jock Erik who is Sandy’s boyfriend. He is the hottest guy on campus, the son of a fortune 500 company CEO, all the girls are ready to throw themselves at him, but he only looks at Sandy. Not that Sandy is that bad or even average; she is a blonde goddess and gives the rest of us a inferiority complex. There is Josh, the too-cool-to-touch dude, who is Shauna’s boyfriend. I never understood what Shauna saw in him, until I met him. Extremely good looking with dark hair and green eyes, he also happens to be the son of the chairman of Mercedes Inc. He has a new car every week and loads of cash, but is arrogant about his stuff. Whatever. There is also Chris, the science whiz kid boyfriend of Sara, who also happens to be the only child of the chairman and founder of Dawn Corps. Yup, the research facility that got billions of dollars for their work on the human genome.

And then there is me. There is nothing too cool to tell you about me, in fact I don’t even know why I hang out with the people that I do. I am from a middle class Indian family with parents who work two jobs and live in a two bedroom apartment. I have managed to fair pretty well in college and am right now ranked number two, right behind Chris and before David. I am not loaded with cash and I am not extraordinary in looks. Very average looking with long straight black hair, a scrawny 5’6 figure and big brown eyes. I need constant help on beauty and fashion issues from the girls and I never go out alone. I am not very athletic, but I jog every morning with the entire group. I do not have a boyfriend because all the desis disgust me and the rest are scared of me because of the guys I hang out with.

So it happened in September, 2 days after school started. I was out all alone, in one of those little shops by the roadside, looking for a lucky charm. I was watching that Friday the 13th episode of Charmed and it made me think that I should get a lucky charm too. So the next day I go over the East side to buy a lucky charm. The little shop was old looking but cozy, not too creepy. The shop was run by a young boy instead of the stereotypical old lady one sees in horror movies. So I racked through the huge collection of lucky charms that they had and spent two hours looking. I had the right one you know. There was another girl there with me who was a bit older than me. She was looking for a charm too. We were both combing the pile very slowly and she was getting very frustrated.
“The way the day has been going, if I don’t get a lucky charm soon, I will die or something.” The girl told me with a wry smile.

“Don’t worry. I am sure you will find the right one soon.” I could only assure her.

She suddenly squealed. “I found it.” She told me holding a small copper peacock feather. I had found my lucky charm too. It was a small pendant with a shiny blue stone. We both paid for our charms and she turned to me.

“You know you are my real lucky charm. I feel happier after meeting you,” she beamed at me. “I am Sarah.” handshake time.

“I feel happy too. I am Surabhi.”
“Nice name. You are Asian, right?” Like Duh.
“Yup. Indian.” Can’t you see the beauty?
“Well here is my number,” she handed me a little piece of paper. “We should hang out some time.” Awesome. I gave her my number and we departed. Life is good.
One day she looked for a job... by perfumania
So the year was not as bad as I thought it would. The first semester was of course a little overwhelming with the change and everything, but spring semester was even easier. My friends and I did not have classes on Fridays so weekends started Thursday nights. I knew a the city fairly well now, at least the decent parts. I had too much time on my hands and too little funds. I needed a job.

“I got a job for you.” Jessie said as he dropped on the couch in front of me in our group’s part of the common room. No one takes this part of the room, yo.

“Yeah?” I did the innocent eyes routine. “Which strip club are you sending me to Jess?” Sara burst into giggles next to me.

“Jeez girl, I only want you to strip for me, not an audience.” Jess said with a grin and a glint in his eyes. Ew.

“Stop flirting with her dude, cuz she ain’t givin’ you any,” Josh said slapped Jessie’s back. Good boy Josh.

“Anyways, what is the job, Jess?” Sandy put a stop to any further discussion on my romance life. Thank you Sandy.

“Well there is this dude with a big ass mansion ten minutes away from here by a subway ride. His wife is looking for a girl to give her company and help her a little with the household chores. I would have taken it if they hadn’t mentioned ‘females only’ in the ad.

“The moolah?” The essential question.

They are willing to pay $60 an hour. Flexible schedule” Holy....!!!!!

“I’ll take it.” I snatched the piece of paper he was twirling between his fingers. Damn, if I get this job then the girls and their boyfriends wouldn’t have to pay for all my stuff. The guys have this twisted idea in their minds that they have to all help me. I don’t need their help but I couldn’t say no to my friends. But if I get this job....the possibilities are too good.

“If I get this job, you will get a big thank you.” I winked at Jess.

“Will I get laid with you?” Group groan. Grow up perv.

None of us had a clue that this job would change my life forever.
New friends... by perfumania
“My name is Surabhi Chatterjee and I am here for the job interview.” I informed the huge security guard.

It was a nice Wednesday evening and I had my interview with the owner of the house. I never talked to either of the spouses, rather with a nice secretary who gave me the directions and the time. I knew the couple was rich, so I had dressed nicely with a beige pant suit over a red tank top that Sara got for me and black strapped pointy shoes that Josh and Erik bought for me cuz that was just “so me.”

I silently thanked the group cuz the mansion was huge. There was no other word for it. I was nervous, as I had no clue about big city socialites. What if it is a quirky, grumpy old lady who wants me to do odd jobs for her all day? Or what if it is a dirty old man that wants young girls around him? Even if they are, I would do it for the money, but I would prefer it not to be so.

The secretary came out shortly and took me inside. The house was magnificent and I was awe as I was led to the living room. Damn! I would love to work here. The secretary was a nice woman in her late thirties who told me that the “madam” would be down shortly. I looked around me at the costly stuff, even the furniture was too costly to sit on, so I stood up and started looking around, my nervousness dissolving in my awe at the house.

“This must be ridiculously expensive,” I said out loud but softly.

“It most definitely is,” a familiar voice behind me made me turn around.

I froze when I saw who it was. She froze too.

“I cannot believe this...” she started grinning like a Cheshire cat. Damn that woman!

“Sarah!!!! How come you never told me that you were so filthy rich. I would have hung out with you more.” I laughed as she came over and gave me a hug.

“ Well now that you are here, I am more than happy. You won’t believe the kind of people I interviewed.” She shook her head. Yay! I have a very good chance now.

“Well you know me so well, and you know my qualifications and my work habits. I don’t think we need a formal interview, do we?” Please say yes.

“Well you have passed my stage of interview. Now you have to talk to my husband. He has to approve too. Mind you though, he is a bit unique.” Sarah said matter-of-factly.

“Eh. Nothing scares me now.” Seriously.

“I’ll go call him and I’ll put in a few good words for you.” She winked at me. Awesome. I can handle any dude; it’s the wife I needed to please.

Sarah left me alone to my thoughts again. Damn, I almost have this job, unless the husband turns out to be some kind of weird creeper. But didn’t the ad say the wife needed company? So that meant the guy was out most of the time, right? Cool; bring it on, hubby.

“A lovely interviewee we have here.” Dude! Haven’t I heard this voice before? It....it can’t be!!!

I turned around and froze in my spot. I am pretty sure I stopped breathing and my jaw was dropped to the ground, cuz both Sarah and *him* started laughing. God, he was standing before me. So many years and all of a sudden he was there.

Alexander James McLean.

“I don’t think we need an introduction. What are you thinking?” Did he just speak to me??

“I am trying to decide should I bang my head on the wall for not realizing that this is your house, or should I kill your wife for not telling me she is married to you.” Violence...surging...through...me.... must....stop.

“You two know each other?” AJ asked me. Know each other???

“This woman,” I pointed an accusing finger at Sarah, “has been my friend for months now.” Dirty looks always work.

AJ laughed again and Sarah blushed. “I didn’t know you are a fan hon. I’ll make it up to you Surabhi. I‘ll make you dinner or something.” Sarah said with a smile.

That brought me back to reality. HUH??? “What about the job?” I am confused.

“I won‘t employ you, silly. You are Sarah‘s friend, you are supposed to hang out here, not work. But don‘t worry, we‘ll find someone. ” AJ told me with a smile. DANG!!!! Wait....did he just say ’hang out here’? Ok, Surabhi breathe.....breathe.....

“So, since this is your first time to our house, ” AJ came over next to me, “ Let me give you the grand tour.”

The rest of the time was a blur. I TALKED TO AJ!! I did not hear anything that he said or anything that he showed me, cuz I was too busy staring at him. I think he noticed me gaping at him too.
“Ok that is the end of the tour. I am glad Sarah found a friend here, cuz she used to get so lonely.” AJ told me.

“I am gladder than you about this friendship. Trust me.” Damn!! Did I just say that?

“Stop flirting with my husband, yo” Sarah said laughing. Damn her!

“Nah, your husband isn’t the one I am after, Sarah.” I blurted out. Shit! Shit! Shit!

“Ok, so who are you after?” AJ asked me with narrow eyes.

“Umm....its a secret. I can tell you but then I‘d have to kill you.” I tried to keep a straight face.

“I‘d like to live. I can wrench it out of you later, since you will be here quite a lot now.” AJ explained with an evil grin. Oh god!

“OK cool, see you later then.” Do I have to leave now??

“See ya.” AJ flashed a brilliant smile and my knees almost buckled. DAMN!! That guy is so fine. Breathe Surabhi, breathe.

I said my good byes and left the house.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=113