Never Gonna Fall In Love Again by Autumn Summers
Summary: One woman + one son + a gay next door neighbour + one ex husband + one ex-boyband member. Readers: Please bear with me - as I have been away from writing for a while and this is a work in progress. Reviews and constructive criticism welcomed. **WILL BE UPDATED EVERY THIRD TUESDAY**
Categories: Fanfiction > Music > New Kids on the Block Characters: Jon
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 4715 Read: 6080 Published: 11/06/03 Updated: 01/06/04

1. Part II - Chapter 1 by Autumn Summers

2. Part II - Chapter 2 by Autumn Summers

3. Part II - Chapter 3 by Autumn Summers

4. Part II - Chapter 4 by Autumn Summers

Part II - Chapter 1 by Autumn Summers
Athena Charlemagne gathered several papers up from her desk and filed them away in her top desk drawer. She picked up her burgundy leather briefcase and stepped through the door of her office. She fished a single key out of her pocket and locked the door behind her.
“Good night, Bianca. ” She smiled at her secretary on the way past the receptionist’s station.
“Have a good evening, Ms. Charlemagne.” The pretty brunette replied as she looked up from the phone.
“I will.” Athena answered. “You too.” She glided through the double glass doors and pressed the ‘down’ button for the elevator. As she waited, she looked, critically, at her own reflection in the window at the end of the elevator lobby. She was a tall woman, nearly five foot ten, with a slender build. He hair was shoulder length, naturally curly, dark blond with a hint of auburn in the proper lighting. Today, just like any other work day, it was twisted up in a tight french roll held securely with a gold clip. Sparkling hazel eyes looked out from behind a pair of thin, gold, wire frame glasses. There was a hint of neutral eye shadow on her lids and her lips were expertly lined and lipsticked - red, of course. She wore a conservative navy business suit that consisted of a knee-length pencil skirt and matching blazer. Underneath, she wore a pristine white, ribbed turtleneck. Nude stockings and navy blue high heels completed the ensemble. A plain, yellow gold, rope chain was around her neck and her ears were adorned with small diamond studs. The only other piece of jewelry she wore was a delicate gold and mother-of-pearl wristwatch, which she checked again with a sigh while she pressed the button again impatiently.
A moment later, the doors parted and Athena stepped on to the empty elevator. Three floors below, the elevator stopped and she got off. She could hear loud shouts and singing as she walked down the corridor to the bright orange door at the end. She turned the handle and entered the room. What she heard next was her most favourite sound in the world.
“Mummy!” A dark haired four-year-old shouted as he ran across the room and into Athena’s waiting embrace.
“Hi Dax. Did you have a good day today?” Athena grinned as she set her little boy down and greeted the day care workers. Daxon quickly gathered his jacket and small backpack from his cubby and brought them to Athena, dropping them at her feet. She knelt in front of him and helped him on with his jacket, kissing his nose as she zipped it up. Daxon giggled and wiped his nose with his hand. “If you wipe my kisses, I’ll just kiss you again.” Athena warned with a grin, then she kissed his nose again. Daxon promptly wiped it off with a mischievous smirk. “Now you’ve done it!” Athena said with a gleam in her eye. She put both arms around Daxon, yanked him off his feet and covered his face with kisses until he laughed so hard that he was gasping for air. After he caught his breath, Athena set him back on his feet and stood up. “Let’s go honey. Our ride is waiting for us downstairs.” Athena picked up Daxon’s backpack and opened the door for him. Hand in hand, they walked to the elevator and rode down to the parking lot. It was a cold March evening in the Boston suburb of ----. The spring wind blew through the city leaving a chill in everything it touched. Athena and Daxon were no exception. As soon as they stepped outside the office tower, they hurried to the silver grey SUV that was parked in front. Athena opened the rear door, helped Daxon climb in to his booster seat and buckled him in. She then shut the door and opened the passenger door. “Hi.” She smiled, as she settled into her own seat and closed the door.
“Running late?” The man in the driver’s seat asked.
Athena nodded her head. “Yes, I’m sorry.”
The man shifted the vehicle into drive and shoulder checked. “Don’t worry about it. Do you want to pick up some chinese on the way home?”
Athena broke into a grin. “I think you read my mind, Kade.” She turned to Daxon in the back. “What do you think tiger? Would you like chinese food for dinner?”
Daxon nodded as he yawned. “Yep, and shwimps.”
“Shrimp it is.” Kade replied as he maneuvered the vehicle through the rush hour traffic.
An hour later, they pulled up in front of a modest townhouse complex. Kade carried a sleeping Daxon up the front steps and waited for Athena to unlock the door. Athena led him down the hall to Daxon’s bedroom, picking stray toys off the floor as she went. Kade set Daxon down on the bed after Athena pulled the covers back. Together they took off Daxon’s shoes and jacket and covered him up. Athena kissed her son on the forehead before she and Kade left the room.
“I guess I get to eat his shrimp.” Kade whispered as they entered the kitchen. Athena giggled and pushed him out of her way. “You’ll do no such thing, Kade Williams. Do you remember the last time you did that? He was mad at you for a week! Now go find something on TV and I’ll bring out something to drink in a minute.” Kade muttered something under his breath and retreated to the living room. Athena busied herself making a pitcher of iced tea and hummed a tune.
The telephone made its presence be known and Athena picked it up after the first ring.
“Hello?”
“Hello Athena, how are you?”
“I’m fine Marcus. How are you?”
“I’m doing good, Athena. I have something to tell you.” Athena stopped stirring the iced tea and leaned against the counter. Whenever Marcus said something like that, it meant it was important.
“What is it Marc? Are you alright?”
Athena heard laughter on the other end of the line. “Athena, you always assume the worst, don’t you?”
“Force of habit.” Athena shrugged, even though he couldn’t see her. “So tell me your news.”
“I’m moving. I got a new job as curator of an art museum.”
“Oh Marcus, that’s fantastic! It’s what you’ve always wanted! Congratulations. When do you start? Where is it?”
Again Athena heard laughter. “Slow down, Dear. I start on the fifth of April and the museum is in Italy.” There was silence on Athena’s end of the line. “Athena?” Marcus asked. “Are you still there?”
“Italy?” She repeated quietly. “As in, not of this continent?”
“Yes.” Marcus replied.
“April the fifth! That’s less than three weeks away!” Athena exclaimed.
“I know. It doesn’t leave me much time to get my affairs in order before I leave but I’m sure I’ll get everything done in time.” More silence. “Athena? Are you mad at me?”
“No, Marcus. I’m just going to miss you.” She said, her voice growing quiet.
“I know. I’m going to miss you too.”
“And Dax - he’s going to miss you. Please say you’ll come by the house before you leave. You have to say good bye to Daxon. How about dinner next Tuesday night?”
“That sounds great Athena. I’ll bring the wine.”
“Okay, Marc. We’ll see you then.”
“Yes, goodnight Athena.”
“Bye.” Athena hung up the phone and stared at it. She heard the floor creak as Kade entered the kitchen. “Who was that?” He inquired.
“It was Marcus. He’s moving to Italy in three weeks.”
“Wow.” Was Kade’s only response. Athena moved past him into the living room, sat down on the couch and picked up a cardboard take out box. “I’m starving. Did you eat all the kung pao chicken?”
Kade grinned and flopped onto the couch beside her. “You and Marcus are the most unusual divorced couple I have ever met.” He stated.
“Why’s that?” Athena asked as she tried to pick up a noodle with her chopsticks. “Because we don’t hate each other?”
“Well not exactly.” Kade replied. “It’s because you still love each other.”
Athena gave up with the chopsticks and picked up a plastic fork. “Uh huh…and?”
Kade frowned. “Don’t you think that’s unusual?”
Athena pondered for a moment, then shook her head. “No. Marcus is a great guy, he did a lot for me and he loves Daxon. Just because we couldn’t stay married to each other, doesn’t mean we can’t be friends, does it?”
Kade shook his head. “No, I guess not. It’s just unusual.”
“Unusual, yes. But it works.” She said, popping a piece of pineapple into her mouth. “Do you want to watch a movie?”
“Sure.”

~*~
Part II - Chapter 2 by Autumn Summers
Athena arrived at her office the next morning a few minutes later than usual. Daxon had been cranky that morning and it had taken her a little longer to get him ready for day care. Once she had gotten him to day care, he didn’t want her to leave. Such is the life of a working mother, Athena sighed to herself as she hung her coat up in the hall closet.
“Good morning, Bianca. How are you this morning?”
“I’m fine, Ms. Charlemagne. Did you have a meeting planned for this morning?” Bianca questioned.
Athena shook her head. “Not that I remember. Why do you ask?”
“Mr. Malkin is waiting for you in your private meeting room. He’s been here since eight o’clock this morning.”
Athena frowned. “That can’t be good news. What a day to be late for work.” She muttered to Bianca as she put her hand on the doorknob to her office.
“Shall I bring some coffee in?” Bianca inquired.
“Yes, that would be nice.” Athena took a deep breath and walked into her office.
Athena had been at the Malkin Partners Design Firm for three years. She had worked her way up to associate in half the time it took most people due to sheer will and determination. Her corner office was furnished just as one would expect in a large and successful interior design firm. There was a large mahogany desk on one side of the room with a high-backed leather chair behind it. Behind the desk and chair, the view of Boston’s skyline from her twenty-sixth floor office was breathtaking.
Athena set down her briefcase on the desk and looked through the glass partition to the meeting room that was attached to her office. There was a bank of bookshelves filled with many thick leather bound volumes. Next to it, a wet bar for entertaining high-class executives. In front of the wet bar, were two large, tan leather couches where three men in dark suits were sitting. One, was her boss, Richard Malkin. The other two she couldn’t recognize because they had their backs turned to her. The only thing she could tell was that one had sandy blonde hair and one had dark hair.
Mr. Malkin looked up and saw that she had arrived. He excused himself from the two mystery men and came into Athena’s office.
“Ms. Charlemagne, I’m so sorry to bring you into this meeting on such short notice.”
Athena smiled. Richard Malkin was a tall, middle-aged man with a slight accent. He was an estute business man with a weakness for beautiful women.
“That’s quite alright, Richard. I’m sorry I am running late this morning.” Athena replied as she set her briefcase on her desk and popped it open. “Can you give me a little background information so I’m not going in to the meeting cold?”
“Of course.” Richard replied with a smile. “Late last week I received a call from Martin Greenhorn.”
Athena’s eye grew large. “Martin Greenhorn? Martin Greenhorn of BostonGreen Properties?”
Richard nodded. “Yes, that’s exactly the one. I see you are familiar with the name.”
“Familiar? That man emerged on the real estate scene only five years ago and since has been snatching up properties left and right, only to completely renovate them and turn them over for huge profits.”
“Yes, that’s the one.” The smile was still pasted on Richard’s face.
“What is he doing here?” Athena asked in disbelief. “He’s been in bed with the Fate Design Group for the last two years. What does he want with Malkin Partners?”
Richard clasped his hands together like an excited child. “It seems my old friend Donald Henrickson at Fate Design Group has not been performing to Mr. Greenhorn’s liking. Mr. Greenhorn has asked us to submit a proposal to become his new ‘designer in residence’ per se.”
Athena’s eyes grew bigger. “Oh wow! This is…this is huge!” She whispered.
Richard nodded again. “I know.” He remained silent for a moment to let the news sink in. “Well, let’s not keep our new clients waiting. We are meeting today just to familiarize ourselves with the client and to get to know the projects that will be coming up in the near future.”
“If you give me five minutes to get my thoughts in order, I’ll join you in the meeting room.”
Richard nodded and went back into the meeting room. Athena heard him apologize to the two men and announce that she would be in soon. She quickly gathered her leather folder and pen, brushed an uncertain hand down the length of her suit, and pasted on her best client-pleasing smile. With a deep breath she stepped into the meeting room and joined the meeting.
“Ah, here she is now!” Richard stood as Athena entered the room. “Gentlemen, may I introduce our youngest associate at Malkin Partners, Ms. Athena Charlemagne.” The two men stood to shake hands with Athena. “Athena, this is Martin Greenhorn.” Richard gestured towards the man with sandy blonde hair. “Very nice to meet you, Ms. Charlemagne.” Mr. Greenhorn smiled and gave her a firm handshake. He was an attractive man, in his late forties with green eyes and a friendly manner. Athena noticed a dimple on his left cheek as he flashed her with his perfect Hollywood-white smile. Athena knew instantly that he was a ladies man. “Nice to meet you as well, Mr. Greenhorn. I’ve heard – and read – much about you.”
“Only good things I hope.” He replied with a wink.
“Of course
“And this,” continued Richard, “Is his Chief Leasing agent for the greater Boston area.” Athena turned her attention for the first time to the dark haired man, who smiled at her warmly. His hazel eyes sparkled as he held his hand out for a handshake. Athena’s hand stopped mid-air, the smile frozen on her face. Those eyes needed no introduction. She knew them almost as well as she knew her own reflection, or at least she had – 5 years earlier, a mere lifetime ago.
“Jonathan Knight.” She whispered before she realized it.
Martin Greenhorn raised an eyebrow. “Have you two met?” He asked as Athena shook Jonathan’s hand and quickly pulled away.
Athena shook her head trying to find her voice. “I –I, he was in one of the magazine articles I read about - about you.” She lied.
“Of course.” Jonathan interjected.
The four of them took their seats, Athena and Richard directly across from their new clients. Quickly, Athena regained her composure. “So, Mr. Greenhorn, Tell me exactly what it is you want Malkin Partners to do for you.”
Martin launched into a long speech of his plans for his company and how Malkin Partners would help him achieve the vision. He was very interested in his work and very confident that Malkin Partners were the right company to bring on board. Athena kept his eye contact for the entire time, being very interested herself. She prided herself with her work and knew that such an important client would expect nothing but her very best work. Richard interrupted a few times to ask questions or elaborate on an idea Mr. Greenhorn has put forward. Jonathan Knight remained silent, only nodding now and then to show that he was agreeing with what Martin was saying. Athena kept her eyes fixed on Martin, except for the few times she would glance at Richard. She kept her eyes away from Jonathan, whom she knew was looking at her. Athena wished he would stop. She was finding it very difficult to concentrate with those hazel eyes following her every move, studying her every expression.
“I certainly think that is enough for us to get started, Mr. Greenhorn.” Athena heard Richard say. “I am leaving this project in the very capable hands of Ms. Charlemagne. She will be your main point of contact, should you need anything.”
“Excellent!” Martin Greenhorn exclaimed.
“When would you like to meet again, Mr. Greenhorn?” Athena asked. “We will need to get started right away. Are you booked up for this afternoon?”
Martin laughed. “Jonathan and I have a full afternoon ahead of us and then I am departing for Paris on holiday. However, Jonathan has the next few weeks to concentrate solely on this project. I will leave the two of you to organize your next meeting.”
Athena’s mouth suddenly became very dry. She glanced at Jonathan, whose expression was unreadable. She flipped open her book and handed a business card to Jonathan with a flourish. “Well, don’t let us keep you from your other engagements. Mr. Knight, please call my assistant to schedule a meeting.” With that Athena stood and gathered her things. “Nice to meet you Mr. Greenhorn.” She then left the meeting room through the private entrance to her office.
Richard Malkin stood and shook hands with his new clients. “I’ll see you to the door.”
Part II - Chapter 3 by Autumn Summers
Athena sat and her desk and took some deep breaths. The absolute last thing she expected to see today was Jonathan Knight sitting in her office in all his glory. If she had been given a little warning from Richard, perhaps she would have been more emotionally prepared for it, or she would have had time to come up with some fictional sickness to ensure her absence from the meeting. She had not laid eyes on Jonathan since the night he walked out on her 5 years earlier, nor had she spoken to him. Since then she had finished college, got married (and divorced), had a child and scored a job at Malkin and Partners – not necessarily in that order. Her life had changed drastically since she was that foolish 19 year old girl in love with a member of a boyband. She was now a successful career woman and single mother. Why, then did Jonathan’s appearance bring back emotions she thought long dead?
The intercom beeped.
“What?” Athena replied sharply. There was a slight pause.
“Is everything okay?” Athena heard Bianca ask meekly.
“Oh, sorry Bianca, you interrupted my train of thought. What’s up?”
“Kade and Dax are here. Did you forget it was picnic day today?”
Athena slapped her forehead. “Picnic day! Of course! Send them in.”
“Okay.” Bianca replied and then switched off the intercom.
Seconds later, Bianca opened the double doors to Athena’s office and ushered in her lunch guests. Daxon hurried his little legs over to her and gave her a hug. Kade came in close behind him with a large paper sac filled with their lunch.
After helping Daxon spread out the blanket – kept in her bottom desk drawer especially for this one purpose – on the floor, and helping Kade spread out the food, they began their picnic. Thursday picnics had become a weekly tradition for the three of them ever since Daxon had been enrolled in the play-school in the same building. The three of them were a family, although Kade was not related by blood or marriage. He was Athena’s best friend and a father figure to Daxon – albeit a rather unorthodox father figure but soon to be his only father figure as Dave was moving out of country. Besides, Kade adored Daxon, and Dax adored Kade. Athena didn’t worry about what other people said or thought about an openly gay man spending time with her child. She had other things to worry about than what people thought.
“I heard that you are on that new big project with Greenhorn Developments.” Kade said with a twinkle in his eye.
Athena hid a scowl. “Wow, news travels fast. How did you know?”
Kade shrugged. “People talk.”
Athena wrinkled her brow. “No, Bianca talks.” She took a bite of her chicken sandwich
Kade grinned. “I never reveal my sources.” Athena laughed. “But,” Kade continued, “My sources also tell me that Martin Greenhorn was accompanied by a tall, dark, handsome man.”
The chicken sandwich suddenly tasted like cold ash in her mouth. “Mr. Greenhorn was accompanied by another man.” She struggled to swallow and put down the rest of her lunch. “If the handsome part is true, I hadn’t noticed.”
Kade looked at her disapprovingly. “Yeah right.”
Athena became exasperated. “Do you think of anything besides men, Kade Williams?” She glanced at Daxon, who had quit playing with his food to look up at her. Athena sighed.
“Sure.” Kade replied with a smile to himself. Something had the unflappable Athena Charlemagne up tight and he was not going to quit until he found out what it was.

~*~

Jonathan Knight picked at his meal across from Martin Greenhorn, in the cafeteria downstairs. Smiling and nodding at pauses in the conversation just enough to make Martin believe he was listening to him drone on about wife number 3 and Paris. Absolutely nothing could have prepared him for what – or who – had been in that meeting.
Athena Charlemagne, or, as he had known her Athena Allen. Her name had changed – most likely from marriage, but she had been introduced as Ms., Jonathan mused, and he had not seen a wedding ring on her hand though he had been sure to look.
Athena had pretended not to know him, but he had seen the spark of recognition in her eyes. He most certainly had not forgotten her. It would take far longer than five years to erase such a woman from his mind.
How his life had changed since he had known her. At that time he had been one-fifth of the most successful singing group in North America. Travelling the world, having girls throw themselves at him had been exciting at first, and then tiring later. That’s what they had been: Girls. Athena had been a lady. Not quite old enough to be a woman, but they had learned together and taught one another about love.
As Martin spoke on of the chateau in Paris he was planning to buy as an anniversary gift for his wife, Jonathan’s thoughts trailed off to the first time he had met Athena Allen.
Part II - Chapter 4 by Autumn Summers
Part 2
Chapter 4

Paula Abdul‘s “Cold Hearted Snake” piped through the ceiling speakers of the restaurant on the main floor of the hotel they were staying in. The “five hardest working kids in show biz” had found time to sit down for a meal before rushing off to their next engagement.
“What’s wrong Joe? You look like something is troubling you.” Jonathan, the eldest of the five observed.
Joseph McIntyre, the youngest of the group, picked at his food and sighed. “I’m just tired, I guess.” He pushed his plate away and slouched down in his seat. “I need sleep.”
“Oh good,” Donnie Wahlberg, the crazy one, said as he dropped down in the booth beside Joe. “Then you won’t feel left out if we go to the club without you tonight.”
Joe rolled his eyes. “No, actually tonight I will be thankful that I am not old enough to go to the club with you. I am going to go to bed and sleep for three days.”
Donnie shook his head. “Nope, can’t do that! We got a photo shoot tomorrow at six.”
“Six a.m. in the morning?” Joe exclaimed. “Who’s idea was that?”
“I’ll give you one guess.” Jonathan said flatly.
“Dick!” Joe, Jordan and Danny groaned in unison. Just then, the waitress appeared to take their orders.
“Hi, have you all decided on your orders?” She asked with a friendly smile. Jon watched her as she took orders from the rest of the group. Her long blond hair was pulled back into a tight french braid. She had a pert mouth that broke into a quick smile as she spoke with Joe and Donnie. She wore dark black stockings, a black mini-skirt and a white button-up shirt – same as every other waitress in the place. Jon squinted to read the name on her badge. She turned her hazel eyes towards him. “And what can I get for you?”
“Athena.” Jonathan replied, immediately liking the name and the woman it belonged to.

“What?”
Jonathan blinked and focussed in on Martin staring back at him. “Oh, sorry. I was just thinking.”
Martin grinned. “Yes, Ms. Charlemagne is worth the thought.” He replied.
“Yeah, I’ll have to call her secretary and set up a meeting tomorrow.”
“Oh,” replied Martin, “I thought you were having other kinds of thoughts.”
Jonathan laughed. It sounded forced, even to his own ears. Luckily, Martin didn’t pick up on it. “I’m not that much like you, Martin. I don’t chase every skirt that crosses my path.” At that Martin laughed heartily. “Oh yes, I forgot. Are you still with that redhead? What was her name?”
“Kelly-Ann.” Jonathan replied. “No. Things didn’t work between us.”
Martin nodded. “Well, you are going to spend the next three months between here and home, working long nights and maybe even some weekends. It is probably just as well that they didn’t work out between you two. You don’t really have time for a personal life right now.”
Jonathan sighed. “Gee thanks Martin. That makes me feel so much better.”
Martin laughed again. “On the other hand, Ms. Charlemagne is very nice looking, although a little stand-offish. I bet she will be nice company for those all night work sessions.”
Jonathan mused. “Yeah, whatever, Martin.”

~*~

Someone yelled impatiently down the hall. Jon broke his mouth away from Athena and turned his head. “Yeah! I’m coming!” he shouted. Athena grinned. “You’d better go. They’ve already begun the countdown.” She heard the booming of the band through the concrete walls.
Jonathan bent to give her one more kiss. “I’ll be back before you know it.”
“I can’t wait.” Athena replied as Jon tore off down the corridor to the group waiting behind stage. The dull roar of the fans’ screams grew louder. Athena watched on a monitor as Jon took the stage with his four friends. She loved to watch him move, loved to watch him dance. Seeing his hips sway to the music in those tight black jeans made her hope that ‘before you know it’ was much sooner than she expected.

“Athena?” Kade’s voice shook her from her reverie. She turned to him and wondered why he was looking at her so strangely. “Daxon has called you four times.”
Athena shook her head. “Oh, sorry.” She stood from the couch and padded down the hallway. Inside the small bedroom at the end of the hall Daxon was sitting on his bed in his pyjamas. When Athena came around the corner, he held his arms out for her. “I needed you to tuck me in.”
Athena took him into her arms and pulled back the quilt.
“Sorry, Dax. I wasn’t listening.” Athena replied and turned her full attention to her little boy, leaving her earlier reverie forgotten.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1168