Every Breath You Take by Starry Eyes, Anastacia
Summary:

September 11th is a date that no one will forget. Especially those who lost loved ones in the tragedy. Sarah Dorough died in the North Tower when the World Trade Center was attacked. Her youngest brother Howie became full guardian of her daughter Melicia. Still in shock with the news of his sister's death, he takes Melicia in and makes the teenager a part of the Backstreet Family. Will he be able to heal the pain with his niece or have to do it alone? (Co-written with Anastacia) **Multi-Winner at the Room To Breathe Awards**



Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group, Howie
Genres: Angst, Dramedy, Romance
Warnings: Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: No Word count: 126623 Read: 56757 Published: 11/19/03 Updated: 03/29/04

1. Chapter 1 by Starry Eyes

2. Chapter 2 by Starry Eyes

3. Chapter 3 by Starry Eyes

4. Chapter 4 by Starry Eyes

5. Chapter 5 by Starry Eyes

6. Chapter 6 by Starry Eyes

7. Chapter 7 by Starry Eyes

8. Chapter 8 by Starry Eyes

9. Chapter 9 by Starry Eyes

10. Chapter 10 by Starry Eyes

11. Chapter 11 by Starry Eyes

12. Chapter 12 by Starry Eyes

13. Chapter 13 by Starry Eyes

14. Chapter 14 by Starry Eyes

15. Chapter 15 by Starry Eyes

16. Chapter 16 by Starry Eyes

17. Chapter 17 by Starry Eyes

18. Chapter 18 by Starry Eyes

19. Chapter 19 by Starry Eyes

20. Chapter 20 by Starry Eyes

21. Chapter 21 by Starry Eyes

22. Chapter 22 by Starry Eyes

23. Chapter 23 by Starry Eyes

24. Chapter 24 by Starry Eyes

25. Chapter 25 by Starry Eyes

26. Chapter 26 by Starry Eyes

27. Chapter 27 by Starry Eyes

28. Chapter 28 by Starry Eyes

29. Chapter 29 by Starry Eyes

30. Chapter 30 by Starry Eyes

31. Chapter 31 by Starry Eyes

32. Chapter 32 by Starry Eyes

33. Chapter 33 by Starry Eyes

34. Chapter 34 by Starry Eyes

35. Chapter 35 by Starry Eyes

Chapter 1 by Starry Eyes
"Good morning, Sarah."

"Good morning, Derek," Sarah Dorough replied, smiling as she passed her co-worker on the way to her desk. Only a handful of others were starting their day so early, and she greeted them in turn. Settling down with a cup chai tea, she turned on her computer and took a moment to relax while sipping the hot liquid. It was a typical day working in New York City. Her job was high up on the South Tower of the World Trade Center, where she had been working since her husband Tobias passed away. She uprooted herself and their daughter Melicia from Florida and moved to New York. Melicia had been ten years old at the time. Now eighteen, she was a senior in high school and her future was bright. Saying that Sarah was proud would have been an understatement.

"What are you doing here so early? Normally you don't stroll in here with your chai until nine-thirty," Sarah's cubemate, Catherine, replied as she leaned back in her chair with a grin.

"Mella and I are going out for dinner tonight to celebrate an award she received at school for her writing."

"Oh! You mean her essay on the civil rights movement?"

"Yes, she got first place."

"That's fantastic!" Catherine enthused with a happy smile. "Tell her I said congratulations."

"I will," Sarah promised, taking another sip of tea as she checked the time. Seven forty-three in the morning. "I think I got here a little too early... figures that the elevators went quickly today since I was early. That never happens when I'm running late!"

"That's just how it goes," Catherine shrugged, chuckling as she stood up to stretch. Looking over at Sarah's desk, another smile formed on her sunny face. Picture frames cluttered the small area; mostly photos of Melicia were plastered behind the glass. A couple included their family down in Florida. One member in particular always caught eyes if they were into the current music scene. Sarah's youngest brother Howie was a member of the pop sensation, the Backstreet Boys. All the women on their floor teased Sarah and begged for a romantic getaway with the handsome man. She would just smile, roll her eyes and go back to work. Her little brother was too good to have random flings nor was he into that. His friend AJ on the other hand... "How are your brother and his bandmates doing, anyway?"

"They're great," Sarah smiled. "AJ is still sober, their tour has been a huge hit... it's been a blessing for them."

"I'm glad to hear--" Catherine was interrupted by a such a loud, high pitched sound that they cried out and covered their ears. Within moments the entire building shook and the floor rumbled beneath them. "WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"It sounded like something hit us!" Sarah exclaimed as the lights flickered and dimmed before going black. Everyone screamed. Suddenly, the flood lights turned on that hovered over the exits.

"What do we do?!"

"We have to get out of here," Sarah took Catherine's hand and they ran towards the elevators along with the others. Pressing the buttons furiously, nothing happened. Looking around, Sarah could see the same result with all the other elevators. "The stairs! Come on."

"What could have hit us?" Catherine questioned, her voice laced with panic as they rushed towards the staircase.

"I don't know. But... it almost sounded like a plane."

"A PLANE?"

"It sounds crazy, but what else could it have been to hit us all the way up here? That loud noise was probably the engines." Sarah stopped on the stairs when the small crowd in front of her stopped. Black smoke trailed up towards them from the lower floors. She could smell gasoline and almost hear distinct crackling of flames. "Go back, Cat!"

"The building's on fire, we have to get out of here!" Catherine disagreed as Sarah pushed her back upstairs.

"We can't get out that way. We'll have to try the other staircase!" Soon they were weaving through the cubicles, Catherine never releasing Sarah's hand and the same in return. Finally reaching the door, Sarah opened it and immediately shut it again. More smoke and flames. She looked at Catherine helplessly. "We're trapped--"

"Oh my God... listen! The others in the south staircase," Catherine whispered. Screams of despair and pain could be heard from those being engulfed by the vicious fire. "We're going to die..."

"Cat..." words failed Sarah as tears slipped down their cheeks. She brought the woman into her arms, ignoring the smoke that was now starting to stream in through the doorways on both sides. "I'm glad we became such good friends."

"Me too, Sarah. I wish I could see my mother... or at least say goodbye... one more time..." Catherine sniffled hard. After a moment of silence, Sarah spoke up.

"You can."

"How?"

"Call and leave a voicemail. Or at least try."

"Sarah..."

"If it goes through, at least you for to say goodbye," Sarah replied, pulling out her cell phone. She dialed Melicia's number while Catherine called her mother.


Hi, you've reached Mella's cell. I'm not able to answer at the moment. More than likely I am beating Carter's ass on Playstation--

You are CHEATING!

Such allegations means you're a sore loser.

...Did you just call me an alligator?!

Oh, Nicky. Such a special one, you are. Anyways! Whoever may be calling, leave me a message and I'll call back. Promise!

MELICIA!

Beep!



"M-Mella! It's Mama. You're probably finding out right now what h-happened," Sarah coughed loudly. The smoke was getting thicker as she sat down on the floor much like Catherine. "Baby, I love you so much. I tried to get out but there's n-no way. I'm sorry. No matter where I am, I'll always be--be--wa-watching..."

The coughing became worse. Feeling weak and dizzy from lack of air, she could hardly see through the smoke to see Catherine, who was merely a foot away and having just as much difficulty breathing. Knowing that she could lose consciousness any minute, she took a deep breath to try and finish her last sentence to her only daughter. "I'll be watching you. Goodbye, Darling."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shifting her spanish book and random materials, Melicia walked down the hallway towards the classroom. As she stepped inside, she could tell that something was wrong. All of her classmates were sitting around, talking in hushed tones. Faces full of trepidition and fear. She sat down at her desk and turned towards her friend, Karen.

"What the Hell's going on?"

"Didn't you hear?"

"...What?"

"The Twin Towers were hit by airplanes filled with people."

"Oh my GOD!" Melicia's dark blue eyes widened in horror as she reached for her cell phone. "I've got to call Mama!"

"No one can get through--"

"I've got to try--" Melicia was interrupted by their teacher walking back into the classroom while pushing in a television on a cart. Another class walked in behind her. They all crowded into the room, some sitting on desks and others sitting on the floor. Within moments a reporter was recapping the events.

I repeat, the Twin Towers have been struck by what appears to be two planes that were hijacked on the way to other destinations. We do not know any motives at this moment nor who was on those flights. Firefighters, police and paramedics are already on the scene trying to rescue any survivors. May God help us all--

The reporter was interrupted by a low, rumbling sound. Looking up towards the towers, the camera followed. All the students watched in utter shock as the South Tower began to collapse on itself.

OH MY GOD! THE SOUTH TOWER IS COLLAPSING AS I SPEAK! ALL THOSE PEOPLE IN THE TOWERS! DEAR GOD!

"MAMA!" Melicia cried out, along with several other students. Cell phones were pulled out again and there was a frantic dialing for their respective parents who had been in that tower. As she flipped open her phone, she saw a missed call along with a voicemail. Her stomach dropped.

Mama, 7:55am.

With shaking fingers, she pressed the send button, which automatically sent the call to her voicemail inbox. Entering her password, the operators voice spoke, cold and monotonous.

"You have one new message. To play this message, press one."

She pressed one. And waited.

M-Mella! It's Mama. You're probably finding out right now what h-happened. Baby, I love you so much. I tried to get out but there's n-no way. I'm sorry. No matter where I am, I'll always be--be--wa-watching...

Coughing and heavy breathing interrupted the message as Melicia listened with wide eyes. Tears streamed down her cheeks, knowing this was indeed the last time she would ever hear her mother's voice.

I'll be watching you. Goodbye, Darling.

"MAMA! NO! NO, NO, NO, NO!" Melicia shouted, her own breathing becoming erratic as she fell to her knees. She barely comprehended that her teacher was coming over to attempt to calm her down. "YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME! YOU CAN'T!"

"Melicia!"

"MAMA!" Melicia screamed one last time before passing out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Kevin? Kev! Where are you?" Brian called out as he walked into his cousin's hotel room. They were supposed to be getting ready for some random public appearance for their album and tour, Black & Blue. But it seemed as if Kevin, who was always on the other's cases for being late, seemed to be the one running behind instead. It wasn't something Brian saw very often.

"Watching the news," Kevin replied, sounding detached. Following his voice, Brian found him in the living room watching the news.

"Cuz, what are you--" he stopped when the footage of the South Tower's collapse was shown again. "Oh my God... what happened?"

"Terrorist attacks. Hit the World Trade Center and Pentagon with airplanes... they were all full of people," He answered, tears in his emerald orbs.

"Oh my God..." they sat watching the television, feeling completely numb.

"Kev! What the Hell is going on, you're not on my nuts for being late--" Nick stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the footage.

Again, the United States has been attacked by terrorists. The World Trade Center towers have now collapsed to the ground

"Fellas, where are y'all hiding? D's gonna have a fit if we don't--" AJ came into the middle of the broadcast. His face paled at the sight.

and the Pentagon has been hit. The death count is unmeasurable right now. May God help us all.

"Oh God... Sarah works in the South Tower," AJ whispered. "If Howie hears this--"

"If Howie hears what?" he asked, walking into the room. "Come on, we have to go."

"D... man, look at the tv..." Brian whispered.

"What? It's just the news," Howie replied.

"Believe me. You need to know this."

"All right, all right," he turned to the television just as footage of a tower collapsing was shown. "Oh my God... Sarah... no. No, she wasn't there. Please say she wasn't there!" Everything started to spin as he gripped the couch. "MY SISTER ISN'T DEAD!"

"Howie, calm down, you're going to make yourself pass out!" Kevin cried out in alarm before Howie lost his grip of reality and the couch. Almost in slow motion, he fell to the floor as the others rushed to his side.
Chapter 2 by Starry Eyes
Oh can't you see
You belong to me
How my poor heart aches
With every step you take

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you




-Funeral for 9/11 victims-


"Thousands of people have suffered from the cowardly attacks on September 11th. Whether it was here in the towers, Pennsylvania or Pentagon; we share the same pain. All those who lost a loved one will come up and speak of them," the priest called out over the vast audience.

Melicia sat near the back, a black cowboy hat over her puffy face. She remembered her mother's reaction when AJ bought it for her and this just caused more tears to fall down her face. The death of Sarah finally sunk in when Melicia saw the news and waited up all night for her to come home. Food became unnecessary and by the time ofthe service, she had lost 15 pounds. Knowing she ha to go up alone and speak about Sarah, she somewhat pulled herself together until she felt someone sit next to her.

"Mella, it's me," a soft voice whispered in her ear.

"Oh, Uncle Howie!" they hugged tightly. "I didn't think anyone was going to come until the funeral in Florida for Mom."

"I wasn't going to let you go through this alone," Howie sighed, caressing her cheek. "And the guys are right back behind us."

"Thank you," they hugged again before going up to talk about Sarah. Cameras flashed when Howie appeared, even if he was at his sister's funeral. Pulling the hat away from her face, Melicia spoke first.

"My name is Melicia Dorough. My mom was Sarah Rose Dorough. She worked in the North Tower on the 100th floor. There wasn't even any hope for them when it happened... she was such an amazing person. My mom was one of those people anyone could turn to with problems and she would know just what to say to make it better. I don't think I will ever forget how it felt to have not only my father but now my mother taken away from me. It's not fair, but I know that they're together in Heaven," her voice cracked. "Waiting for me so we can be a family again. I love you, Mama."

"As you all may know, I'm Howie Dorough," he took Melicia's hand and squeezed it. "Sarah was my older sister and I looked up to her so much. All I wanted to be when I grew up was to be a wonderful person like her. Everyone loved her and thought of her as a surrogate mother. It was like she was intune with everyone's feelings. Sarah and my other sister Caroline were the exact same. The Earth lost them much too soon, but they have impacted our family and many others forever. Te amo, mi hermana. Te amo." Tears fell down his face as he and Melicia went back to their seats.

By the time the service was done everyone was emotionally drained and tired.

"Mel, I'm so sorry about your mom," Brian said quietly, bringing her in for a hug.

"Thanks, Bri-Bri," she sighed, kissing his cheek. The guys all gave her hugs and apologies, teary eyes as well.

"Are you ready to go to my house, sweets?" Howie asked as they entered Sarah and Melicia's apartment.

"Your house? You mean to visit?"

"No, to live with me. Your mom's will gave me full custody until you graduate college. She wanted to make sure you were taken care of." Melicia looked at Howie in disbelief.

"You're making me leave my HOME? The memories of me and my mom? Are you crazy?! I'm not living in Florida! Never!"

"You have to, Mel! It's what the law says!"

"Fuck the law! You're not my dad and you sure as Hell ain't my mom!" Kevin stood up for Howie, his face stern.

"Mel, give Howie a break--"

"SHUT UP, KEVIN! JUST SHUT UP! I'M NOT LEAVING NEW YORK, YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!" She screamed, crying in hitching gasps as she ran into her room. The door slammed and she locked it.
Chapter 3 by Starry Eyes
Since you've gone I been lost without a trace
I dream at night I can only see your face
I look around but it's you I can't replace
I feel so cold and I long for your embrace
I keep on crying baby please

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you




"Melicia, open the door. We need to talk," Howie called from the other side of her locked door.

"I don't want to talk," she spat back, throwing a book on the floor.

"Tough, we need to."

"You're not my father! You can't tell me what to do."

"I'm the closest and best thng you've had! Sweets, open the door. Please," The only response he got was Melicia blaring Linkin Park's "Numb" as loud as she could. "Fine, be that way!" he stormed back into the living room.

"Not good, I'm guessing," Kevin commented as Howie pulled on his dark curls.

"Gee, what made you think that?" he spat back, sitting down on the couch. "She was never like this before Sarah died..."

"The girl just lost her mother, man. And after the service you decide to tell her you're making her leave the only home she's known. Tell me how you would react," Brian replied critically, raising an eyebrow.

"He does have a point, D," AJ agreed. "I know I would have a fit if my uncle did that to me after my mom died."

"If you know so much about this, you go and talk to her. I give up," Howie answered, resting his head in his hands.

"Okay, I will," Brian stood up and walked back to Melicia's room.

The hallway was filled of pictures. Mainly of Melicia and her mother, but there were a good amount of the whole Dorough clan and the Backstreet Family. He stopped at one picture of just Sarah and Melicia. "They look exactly alike."

Indeed they did, their tan skin with chocolate hair. Even their smile was the same. The only way you could tell the difference was Melicia's black glasses and her piercing blue eyes that she inherited from her deceased father, Tobias. His picture was right next to the one Brian was looking at. He died of cancer when Melicia was just a baby, leaving Sarah alone. But she prevailed and raised her with the help of her family and the boys. Now Melicia was the only one left, and Brian's heart went out to her as he banged on the door over the music. It was turned down almost all the way.

"Uncle Howe, I don't want to talk!"

"Mella, honey, it's Brian. Can you let me in?" there was silence before Melicia unlocked the door and opened it. Her eyes were red and blurry with tears.

"I miss my mama, Brian," he gave a sad smile as they hugged and walked into her room.

"I know you do, Mella," he kissed her forehead as she pulled herself away from Brian. He looked around the room and whistled in awe. "This place is messier than mine!" Melicia laughed a little.

"I know, it's really bad. Mama always freaked when she came in here," clothes, DVD's and CD's scattered the floor. Her walls were covered with Linkin Park, Metallica and Backstreet Boys posters. Her dresser was cluttered with trophies in basketball and track. On the nightstand she had four picures. One of everyone at the first Backstreet Boys concert, another of her with Tobias and Sarah when she was a baby, one with all of her friends at the Homecoming game and the last one was of Sarah and Melicia for her senior pictures.

"This is my favorite one," she commented, grabbing the one at the concert. "It was so amazing to see all those girls screaming for y'all... especially Uncle Howie."

"I know, it was a great time," Brian agreed as she put the picture back. "Howie just wants you to be okay, Mel." she took a deep breath and looked at him.

"He also wants me to leave New York. This is my HOME, Brian. I don't want to leave. All my friends are here."

"But there's nothing you can do, Mel. We have to go back to Florida because our job and lives are there. Howie's your guardian and you have to go where he goes."

"So I have to uproot myself for his benefit and not my own?" Melicia crossed her arms over her chest. "That's bullshit, Brian."

"You can think that all you want, darling. But we're going back to Florida in a few days... and you're coming with us."

"Get out of my room, please," she whispered hatefully.

"You'll understand when you're older--"

"GET OUT, NOW."

"No."

"What? If you don't leave, I'll make you."

"Try it. You can't get what you want all the time. You'll learn that the hard way. To be perfectly blunt, Darling, we're already sick and tired of your little teenage pissy moments."

"Fuck you and get out. You don't know what it's like to lose someone."

"Oh, don't I? I've had both my uncle and grandfather pass away. Kevin had his father die. AJ's grandmother died as well. Howie has now lost two sisters... Don't make him lose a niece as well," Brian paused, placing an arm around Melicia, who became quiet. "He needs you, and you need him."

"I-I know," she whispered, tears in her eyes again. "Does Uncle Howie hate me for acting like a brat?"

"No, no, no," he cooed softly, pulling the young woman into his arms. "He could never hate you. Never. Just talk to him. Be there for each other. Okay?"

"Okay," she looked up into his azure eyes and gave a little smile. "Thank you, Bri-Bri."

"Anytime, Mella," he gave her a friendly peck on the lips. "Are you ready to come out to the living room?"

"Yeah... I am. Let's go," they kept their arms at their waists and walked down the hall.
Chapter 4 by Starry Eyes
Author's note: this chapter was written with the help of my girl, Alex. Thanks so much and sorry about the long wait, y'all!



Right when Howie came back into the living room, Brian and Melicia did as well. He didn't say anything as he sat down on the couch. A pang of guilt hit Melicia as she looked at her uncle. "Um, Uncle Howie?"

Howie allowed his gaze to meet up with his niece's after some hesitation. His anger slowly melted away when he noticed the look of sadness masking Melicia's eyes. Lips parting, he wanted to say something, anything, to comfort his niece, but no words were produced. But before he had a chance to give it such second thoughts, Melicia's arms were wrapped tightly around his neck, clinging to him in despair. Howie felt the tears rush on as Melicia softly cried into his shoulder.

They cried for a few minutes until Melicia let go, occasionally sniffling. "I'm sorry for being such a brat, Uncle Howie. It's just been so hard, losing Daddy and now Mama. I know it's hard for you, too. She was your sister. But I just... I just... I miss her so much," more tears streamed down her face. "And I don't know how I'm going to be able to go on without her."

Reaching up, Howie tried to wipe away the tears that continued to streak Melicia's cheeks, forgetting his own tears. His heart ached in his chest as he sat there helpless. "Mella..." he whispered, wishing with everything that he could change the situation.

Melicia continued, forgetting the guys were there. "Why was she taken away from us? It's not fair, we need her here. She won't see me graduate college, get married, have kids... they will never know how great their grandma or grandpa was, because God took them too early," she sighed heavily, placing a hand over her chest. "I miss her so much my heart hurts. Will the pain ever go away?"

Howie grasped his niece's hand. "If I could bring your mother back to you, you know I would in a heartbeat. But I can't and it's tearing me up inside. I miss your mother so much too." He quickly wrapped his niece in a tight embrace again, talking soothingly into her ear. "Mella, I know it hurts, but it will get better. I promise you that. As long as we stick together, it will get better."

Melicia nodded, tears springing to her eyes again. "Can you make me another promise?"

"Anything, Mella," he replied, kissing her temple.

"Never leave me."

*****

Her room was becoming more bare by the second as she wrapped yet another possession in a protective layer of newspaper, placing it among others in a rapidly filling cardboard box. Melicia fought the urge to sigh and let tears escape as she reached for a crystal snow globe atop her dresser. She had recieved it as a christmas present from her mother the previous year. It was custom made and inside was an attached, tiny photo frame containing a picture that had been taken at her birthday. Melicia shook the object and watched as the tiny flicks of 'snow' glittered swirled in the water, enchanting the picture of her mother and herself inside. A tear succeeding in slipping down her right cheek. "Mama..." she whispered.

Melicia stood there for a moment, looking into the globe until she shook her head and began to wrap newspaper over it. "Stop crying all the time, Mel. You don't want Mama to look down and see her brave girl bawling like a baby, do you?" she muttered to herself as she pulled down her numerous posters.

"Mella?" a voice broke into Melicia's thoughts and she turned around to see AJ standing in the now open doorway. She hadn't heard him knock or even come in. But she looked at him with a questioning stare.

"AJ? I thought you were helping Uncle Howie with my bigger stuff."

"We decided to take a break. But I thought I'd come back here and see how you were doing and to see if you needed any help," AJ answered, stepping over the clutter on the floor and taking a seat on the edge of Melicia's bed. He let his eyes wander around the room before picking up several sheets of stapled notebook paper that were lying aimlessly at his feet. There was a red 'A' stamped at the top. "Great job on your English final, Mella. D always says how great of a writer you are."

"Thanks, Aje," she replied with a smile, sitting down next to him. "I think I started to write before I could talk... at least, that's what my mom always claimed. I don't know. It's like my mind is full of ideas and they come out so easily for me. Just lately I've been trying out poetry... but I think that's a part of writing that I'm not good at."

"Join the club," AJ chuckled, scanning over the words on the front page. "The fellas will be quick to tell you that they think my poetry is crap."

"Hey, I remember that song you wrote before, um, going into rehab..." she paused for a moment and began singing.

I've seen people come and go
Seen people in and out of love
And my mother told me
She said don't let life control me
But I did
So what you think of me
What you think of me now
Of who I am
I'm everything you wanted me to be
But as you can see
I'm not very happy, no...


AJ stared at Melicia for a moment, not understanding.

"That's pure poetry, AJ. None of my stuff is like that. When you sang those words, people knew EXACTLY what you were feeling. That's a powerful gift."

"It..." AJ began, but his voice drifted off as he bit down on his bottom lip. He gave a sly grin. "Well, I still say my poetry sucks."

"Oh, really?" Melicia raised an eyebrow. "Would you still say so if I do... this?" she jumped on AJ and began tickling him.

"WHOA!" AJ screeched, tumbling backward onto the mattress. "MELLA! Stop!"

"Not until you admit your poetry doesn't suck!" she laughed, continuing to tickle his sides mercilessly.

AJ stopped fighting for a second. "No, but I will do THIS!" He tossed her to the side and began to give her the same treatment. He grinned as Melicia giggled madly, slapping at his hands. "Now what were you saying, huh?"

"Th-that your poetry doesn't suck! AH! AJ, STOP!" She screeched, laughing in gasps. Before he could react, she grabbed his hands and pulled hard. His arms gave way and fell on top of her.

Eyebrows raised, AJ stared at Melicia in shock. He quickly jumped up, scratching at his temple. "Whoa, sorry 'bout that."

Melicia's face was blushing as she stammered out an answer."Yeah, I guess that was a little too much fooling-- I mean, playing-- I mean--"

"So, you need any help packing?" AJ quickly changed the subject.

"Yeah, actually. Can you start unloading my books into that big box for me?"

"Ok." AJ reached for the empty box and carried it over to the bookcase.

Melicia scolded herself quietly as she piled all her notebooks filled with writings into another box. Don't even think about hooking up with him, Mel. Uncle Howie would kill and bury the both of you before you could say "Holy monkey fuck".

"Holy monkey fuck?" AJ couldn't help but laugh, having only heard the last three words that Melicia had spoken. Melicia's cheeks turned crimson in color again; she'd said that out loud?

"Uh, yeah. It's something I made up awhile ago... you heard me say that?"

"I won't tell anyone. But I have an even better phrase."

"Oh? What's that?" she asked curiously.

"Anal dwelling butt monkey."

Melicia made a face. "That is a phrase only you would come up with, Alex."

"You have to admit it's funny. And hey, since when do you call me Alex?"

She shrugged, smiling. "Since I've started think it's better than AJ."

"And what makes you think I'm going to let you call me Alex?"

"Because I know you will. If not, I can always tickle you again and make you give in."

"Mella," Howie interrupted, poking his head through the doorway.

"Yeah, Uncle Howie?" Melicia replied, turning away from AJ for a moment.

"The fellas are gonna stay here and continue to pack while I go pick us up some dinner. I was hoping you'd go with me?" Howie asked, eying the mess around his niece's bedroom. It seemed as if she had just tossed everything about.

"Yeah, sure. What are we having?" she replied, reaching over AJ to grab her black leather coat which lay on her messy bed.

"Don't have a clue. I figured we could decide on the way," Howie answered.

"Sounds good, too... Actually, there's this AMAZING Chinese place down on 11th and Bleecker. Can we go there?"

"Yeah. Chinese sounds good."

"Yay!" Howie gave his niece a smile.

"I'll go and bring the car around," He replied, kissing Melicia's temple as he walked out of the room.

Melicia offered a smile to her uncle's retreating form before she turned back to AJ who had returned to grabbing the books for the book case and stacking them in the box. "Thanks for your help, Alex," she spoke, slipping her jacket on. "Got any food requests?"

"No need to thank me except in the form of egg rolls, fried rice and mandarin chicken," AJ replied, rubbing his lean, grumbling stomach. "Packing makes a man hungry for Chinese food!"

"This of course is coming from the guy who is an anal dwelling butt monkey." Melicia grinned and ran out of the room.

*****

"Dude... this has to be the best Chinese food I've ever had!" Nick raved as he ate some chicken lo mein.

"I told you, New York is the place to be if you want the best," Melicia laughed before popping a piece of sweet and sour chicken into her mouth.

"Makes me wish we had this chinese place in Florida," Howie answered, washing down a mouthful with a gulp of soda. "But there are some good places there."

"My mom used to tell me about this one Italian restaurant there where they make the best pizza. Can we go there sometime, Uncle Howie?" Melicia replied.

"Of course, Mella."

"Spoiled," AJ coughed loudly. She turned to him with a raised eyebrow.

"Wanna say that again, Alex?"

"Of course I'll say it again," AJ answered, placing his plate down upon the coffee table and leaning back into the couch, arms crossed over his chest. He knew when Melicia was challenging him, and to humor the girl, AJ wasn't going to back down easily. "I said, now this may be a complex idea for you to comprehend, but I said you are spoiled."

"I am deeply offended by that statement, Alex," she replied, crossing her arms as well. "I am not spoiled."

"You, my dear, are very spoiled and I'm sure your uncle would be happy and willing to back me up on that."

"Just because I get things that I want doesn't mean that I'm spoiled," Melicia looked over at Howie. "Right, Uncle Howie?"

"I'm going to get more soda," Howie replied quickly and hurried in the direction of the kitchen. Melicia scowled after him.

"Ha, he knows exactly the right time to escape," Brian chuckled at the look on Melicia's face.

"This sucks, everyone's against me," she huffed, blowing a piece of chocolate hair out of her eyes. "And I still say I ain't spoiled."

"There's nothing wrong with being spoiled every now and then," Kevin pointed out. He too discarded his plate of food just as AJ had done and reached for the remote control to switch the tv on. The conversation was beginning to turn dull and he didn't Melicia to become upset. But after few unsuccessful presses of the power button and the tv remaining off, he furled his eyebrows. "Guess the batteries are dead."

"Mama has been meaning to get new batteries for...I mean, she was meaning to get...I mean..." Melicia stuttered, eyes glued on the small black controller.

Kevin attempted to smile for Melicia's sake. So much for preventing her from becoming upset. "Hey, it's alright sweetheart. Nick can get off his lazy butt and walk over to the tv to turn it on. And then later, we'll send your Uncle out to pick up some batteries," he suggested softly.

"Yeah, I know," Melicia agreed, quickly rubbing her eyes. She promised herself she would stop crying over her mom. "Thanks, Kev."

"Nick, didn't I ask you to turn the tv on?" Kevin questioned, glancing in Nick's direction. He was still picking at his dinner.

"No," Nick answered, looking up for a quick second.

"Well, I'm asking you now. Can you please go turn it on?"

"You're closer."

"Now, Nick. Please?"

"But I'm still eating," he protested, holding up the plate. "See?"

"Nick, don't make me tell you again."

"Alright, already! I'm going!" Nick answered with a short glare. "Any requests, Mel?"

Melicia shook her head, standing up. "No, I think I am just going to go lay down. My stomach is acting up..."

"Do you want one of us to wake you up later?" Kevin asked.

"No, that's alright..." she walked down to her bedroom and closed the door. Soon the song 'The Perfect Fan' wafted softly down the hall.

AJ excused himself from the living-room and made his way down the hall as Howie reappeared. He slowly approached Melicia's door and knocked, knowing all too well that her stomach wasn't the reason why she had left the room so quickly. "Mella, sweetie? Can I come in?" he called out, willing to give her some space if she said she didn't want to talk.

"Go ahead, Alex," she replied softly, unlocking the door. He walked in to see her laying on the bed, head buried in a pillow.

"Mella, I'm sorry about what I said out there. I don't think you're spoiled. You have a lot of nice things, but that doesn't make you spoiled. It just means you're well taken care of-"

"It's not that, Alex. Don't worry," Melicia interrupted, looking up into his eyes. AJ's suspicions were confirmed; she had been crying. "I just miss her, that's all. It's seems like she's not even gone sometimes. I feel her around this place a lot."

"You always will. I mean, you'll always feel her around. It's ok to cry in front of us, you know? We aren't going to laugh at you or anything shitty like that. I just--"

"I know, it's ok," Melicia sniffled. "Alex?"

"Yeah, sweets?"

"Could you send Uncle Howie back here, please?"

"Of course," he bent down and kissed her forehead. "Hold on, he'll be here in a sec."


Author's note: Finally done! LOL, hope y'all like it!
Chapter 5 by Starry Eyes
Author's note: More help from Alex on this chapter. Thanks, girl!


Howie ventured down the hallway towards Melicia's bedroom. He had returned to the living-room at the same moment as AJ was taking his seat again and the younger man told him his niece really needed to see him. His heart pumped madly in his chest at the sorrow etched across AJ's face and it still pumped just as fast as he raised a fist to lightly knock on the closed doorway. "Mella, baby?" he spoke, opening the door wide enough for him to slip in and close it quietly behind himself. He looked to see his niece lying upon her bed, pillow hugged tightly to her chest, and her back facing her uncle.

"Uncle Howie, do you think Mama felt anything as the tower collapsed?" Melicia's voice broke as she spoke and Howie could the tears already pouring again. "Do you think she was thinking of me?"

Howie sighed as he quickly made his way over to her bed and took a seat on the edge, reaching out a hand and rubbing her back in a soothing manner. "I don't know what she was thinking," he tried to answer to the best of his ability, biting down on his bottom lip to keep hold of his emotions for Melicia's sake. "But I like to think that you were the only thing on her mind, that she was only thinking about you and how much she was going to miss you."

"I miss her too," Melicia whispered. "I just wish she and Daddy weren't taken from me. They won't be able to see what I do as I grow up."

"Yes they will, Mella," Howie answered, pulling Melicia in for a tight hug. "They will be able to see everything you do, just in a different way then the rest of us will."

"I hope so," she replied, tears falling down from her tightly closed eyes. They let go, wiping away their tear streaked faces. "I really do."

"They're watching you right now," Howie whispered. "And everywhere you go, they'll be watching you and looking out for you."

Melicia nodded, calming herself down. "Thank you for being there, Uncle Howie. It means so much to me, even if I was a little brat when you told me I had to move to Florida with you..."

Howie shook his head softly, squeezing Melicia's hand in reassurance. "You don't have to apologize for that because I would have reacted the same way," he explained, "I don't think I really took your feelings into full consideration."

Melicia nodded a second time, looking around her room in sadness. She attempted to smile, even though it came out rather crooked. "Maybe this move will be good for me. Who knows, I might even find a surfer boyfriend."

"Now wait just a minute. No good for nothing surfer boy is going to date my niece unless I meet him first and give him the ok and-"

"Uncle Howie!"

Howie chuckled sheepishly. "Sorry..."

"God, you're already acting like my parent and it hasn't even been a month," Melicia shook her head, trying to keep a straight face. "Instead of a surfer, what about one of the guys from N*SYNC--"

"Melicia..."

"Well, it was worth a shot!"

"Not for my niece, no. I'd much rather you stick with the..." Howie cringed, "surfer boys."

Melicia just laughed, feeling better by the minute. "Can I go out tonight with my friends since we have to leave for Florida in two days? Please?"

"Of course you can. As long as you-"

"Check in at least once and check in if I'm going to stay out later then ten, which I won't. I will also give you a call to let you know if plans change and who I'm with, what I will be doing, and if I get in trouble."

"Which you won't."

"Of course not. At least, nothing too bad that you won't be able to bail me out of."

"Mella," Howie warned.

"Just kidding. I promise I'll be safe and I will call you to check in. Deal?"

Howie smiled at his niece, knowing she deserved to spend as much time as she possibly could before he was forced to snatch her away from the only place she had been able to call home. "Deal," he replied, brushing away a few stray tears from her cheek. "Do you need money?"

"Well, now that you mention it... could I borrow some? Once I get a job down in Florida, I'll pay you back," Melicia offered.

"How much do you need?"

"Forty should be good. Unless you think that's not enough..." Melicia gave a sly smile.

"Ah, I know that smile. I think forty is just fine," Howie chuckled, pulling out his wallet and handing her two twenty dollar bills. "Do you need one of us to drive you to a friend's house?"

"Could you?"

"No problem. When do you want to leave?"

"Can you give me about 15 minutes? I need to change and then give my friend a call."

Howie nodded, kissing Melicia's cheek before leaving the room. The fellas looked up at him as he sat down next to Brian.

"Is Mella okay?" AJ asked.

"She will be...eventually," Howie answered, leaning back into the couch and resting his eyes. All he wanted to do was cry.

*****

"Mel, come on. It's not a party unless you have an itty-bitty drink," her friend Derek pressed, placing a cup in Melicia's hand. She and her girlfriends Stacey, Karen and Brianna were at a party in a small house down the street from her apartment complex. She wasn't planning on drinking, but after being nagged by Derek and others, Melicia finally gave in. Taking a sip, all the breath left her as she coughed hard. Derek patted her back gently. "I'm sorry, forgot to tell you it was strong."

"No shit," Melicia gasped, eyes watering. "But this is good stuff."

"That's my Mel!" Derek hooted, kissing her cheek. She grinned as he left to talk to other people.

"Don't drink that too fast now, Mel!" Stacey warned, watching with wonder as Melicia took another gulp. "What is it anyway?"

"I don't know," Melicia shrugged, "But it's good."

"Here, let me taste it and I'll tell you," Brianna interjected and snatched the plastic cup out of Melicia's hand. She took a small sip. "It's coke and Captain Morgan's. Not bad. A bit strong but not bad. A couple of these and you'll be knocked off your butt for the rest of the night."

"Damn straight," Melicia took it back, taking another large gulp. "I'm really liking this drink. What was I thinking, not drinking tonight? This is my last night with you guys, I shouldn't be worried about getting caught by my Uncle Howie."

"Just take it easy, dude," Karen replied. "You don't want a hangover, trust me. I know from experience."

"I'm not going to get a hang over. I can hold my liquor just fine, thank you very much," Melicia boasted.

"Since when?" Karen laughed, "We have rarely seen you ever drink. I'd just watch how much you have tonight. If you wake up sick tomorrow, your uncle is going to know something is up. And you say he is a smart guy, so he'll probably be able to put one and one together."

"One and one equals..." Melicia scrunched up her face before chugging down her drink. "Eleven!"

"Mel, just slow down, ok?" Stacey asked before she walked off to get herself and the other girls a few drinks.

"Yes, ma'am," Melicia replied, going to another table and grabbed a cup. Sipping it, she found out this one was Bacardi Orange and Sprite. "Ooh, even better." In the middle of a big gulp, someone tapped her on the shoulder. Nearly choking on the liquid, she turned to see it was a guy she knew from school named Scott.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you, Melicia," he replied, running a hand through his blonde locks. He was one of the more popular guys at school, and knew it.

"Oh, it's alright, Scott. Almost inhaled my drink, that's all," Melicia replied before taking a gulp.

"What kind is it?"

"Bacardi Orange and Sprite."

"I got something even better," he took her cup and handed her another. "Try this."

"Alright," Melicia took a sip and exhaled loudly. "WHOA, that's really good! What is it?"

"Hypnotic and Hennessy. Just take that cup, I'll get another. Stay around, okay? I wanna talk to you some more," he gave her a flashing smile and left.

Melicia shrugged and made her way over to the nearest couch that thankfully wasn't occupied by anyone at the moment. She plopped down and cradled her cup carefully in her lap, feeling the depression kick in further as realized fully that at this time two days from then she would be saying goodbye to the only home she ever knew.

"Hey, I thought I said don't move," Scott joked as he appeared beside her.

"I didn't move far, just decided I wanted to sit down," Melicia shot back. "It didn't hurt you to walk a few extra feet, did it?"

"Alright, alright. Just making a joke," he replied, sitting down. "No need to get snappy."

Melicia sighed, taking a sip from her drink. "I'm sorry, Scott. It's just that I'm moving to Florida in two days and it's not something I'm looking forward to. New York has been my home for as long as I can remember. Feeling kinda depressed right now."

"I heard about your mom. Sorry about that," Scott replied, slouching in his seat. "That's gotta be hard and I know how you feel. My mom died when I was-"

"I really don't wanna talk about it at the moment," Melicia interrupted.

"Okay, no problem." Scott shurgged his shoulders. He held up his drink and joking gave her cup a tap in cheers for the party. "How are you feeling? You've been drinking like a pro tonight."

"Just trying to get drunk enough so I feel numb," Melicia replied.

"You know... I've got something that'll make you like that in an second that alcohol will take two hours."

Melicia raised her eyebrows in curiosity. "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, hold on." Scott grinned and reached into the cargo pocket of his khakis. He pulled out a tiny plastic bag and a tiny pipe fixture. "Ever smoked?" he asked, holding the bag and pipe in view.

"I've smoked cigs two or three times-"

Scott laughed. "No, I'm talking about smoking pot. You know, weed?"

"Oh, nope, never had the opportunity." Melicia felt her cheeks turn crimson in color.

"Ok, so you say you want to feel numb and just kind of forget about everything for the night?" Scott rambled as he pinched some of the contents out of the plastic bag and pressed it into the rounded end of the ceramic smoke pipe. "Well, this should do the trick for you nicely," he continued, reaching back into his pocket and pulling out a lighter. "Care to give it a try?"

Melicia hesitated.

"I swear, you'll feel better as soon as you try it."

"Fine, hand it over."

"Whoa, fiesty are we," Scott laughed.

Melicia glared in response as she took the pipe and light. "So, how the Hell am I supposed to do this?" she inquired, knowing that if her uncle ever found out, she'd be in deep. But at that moment, she didn't really care.

"Hold the pipe at a slanted angle up to your lips, then slowly brush the flame over the shavings a couple of times. Suck deeply as you do so and when you can't suck any more, bring the pipe away from your mouth and inhale slowly. Got it?"

Melicia nodded as she lit up the marijuana and inhaled deeply. She removed the pipe from her mouth and carefully let it go into her lungs. The drug rushed through her bloodstream and made her feel no more emotions as the smoke slowly escaped her lips. "Holy shit, this is good!"

"Damn, girl! You're a natural!" Scott laughed as he took the pipe and lit up.

Maybe if you would have given me the time of day in school, you would have realized I'm not so bad. Melicia thought hatefully as Scott offered the pipe and lighter again, but she plastered a smile on her face, accepting both items. Scott could gloat all he wanted about thinking he was taking advantage of her, but it wouldn't matter anymore in two days. She would never see nor talk to Scott again once she moved to Florida and he was the one being fooled anyways. He was just too drugged to see it. Melicia lit up the end again, inhaling.

"Mel! What are you doing?!" Stacey exclaimed, suddenly strolling up to the couch rather fast-paced. Her face was masked in confusion and most of all surprise.

"I'm having fun!" Melicia answered as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, but Stacey was not buying. She didn't appear to be very thrilled either, which left Scott smirking at his own end of the couch.

"Mel, you don't wanna be messing with that stuff," Stacey spoke sharply, shooting a tight glare towards the jock who seemed to be rather amused at the minute. She looked back to Melicia. Stacey knew her friend was going through a rough time, but also knew that she was smarter then to make a stupid decision like this. Melicia's emotions were too vulnerable to be toyed with and that was exactly what was happening here.

"Chill out, Stace. It's not like I'm going to get hooked after only doing this once," Melicia shrugged off her friend's concern. "I think I deserve to have a little fun while I'm still here."

"But weed? Girl, your uncle is going to kill you!"

"My uncle isn't going to find out! He's not my father, or my mother!"

Stacey stepped back for a moment as the booming music in the background seemed to get louder and tears quickly sprang to Melicia's eyes. "Mel, I know he's not. And please, c'mon. Bria and Karen are beginning to think you are abandoning us tonight. And for Scott Reese of all people? C'mon, girl! I thought you had better taste then that!"

"What's better taste than me?" Scott snapped, noticing his name was mentioned. "Star of the basketball team and most popular guy in school. Sounds like the ideal guy."

"No, an ideal guy isn't stupid enough to fucking smoke weed and make vulnerable girls smoke it, too!" Stacey shouted, ready to get into a fight if she needed to.

"Oh back the Hell off bitch," Scott scuffed. "I think Melicia's old enough to make her own decisions."

"Don't call my friend a bitch, asshole!" Melicia spoke up.

"No, Mel, don't! He's not worth it!" Stacey gritted, grabbing Melicia's wrist as her friend attempted to lunge at the idiot in front of them.

"Oh, yes he is! He hasn't noticed me ever in school and by the time he does, I'm leaving anyways! Let me go!" Melicia growled, trying to get out of Stacey's grasp.

"Just ignore him and let's go check up on Karen and Bria!"

Melicia gave Scott a glare before following Stacey to another room. "Psycho bitches," he muttered loudly so Melicia heard him.

"No he didn't..." Melicia whispered, yanking her away from Stacey's grasp and sprinting out of the room, back through the gathering of people dancing to the music and socializing. "Hey SCOTT!"

"Come back for more, huh?" he cackled.

"No, but I came back to do THIS-" Melicia swung her fist towards Scott's face, feeling an instant contact between her fist and his nose. "To your sorry ass!"

"SHIT! The cops!"

Before Melicia had time to react, everyone present was rushing past her towards the back door. "What is going on?" she tried yelling out, not catching a glimpse of Stacey, Karen, or Brianna anywhere.

"Someone called the fucking cops!" Derek yelled as he flew past.

"Shit, shit, shit!" Melicia swore, trying to find her friends. "Karen! Where are you guys?!"

"Anyone still in the house, do not leave!" A deep voice commanded as flashlights coursed through the house. Melicia booked it for the back door and was almost there when she tripped on an end table and crashed to the floor.

"I don't think you are going anywhere, miss."

Melicia looked up to see a large man towering over her, police uniform and all. She was dead meat now.

*****

AJ sighed as he leaned back in the lazy boy recliner, catching a glimpse of the clock on the wall. Judging by the fact that his butt had long since went numb, he knew he'd been in one position for quite a while and it was getting rather late. A few feet in front of him, Brian lay curled up in the fetal position, clinging a single blanket to him for warmth. Off to Brian's left, Nick was on his back, dead asleep with his mouth wide open and an arm fully extended away from his body. AJ cringed as the blonde let loose of a loud snore. Then AJ looked to see Kevin sleeping peacefully on the couch, two pillows stacked behind his head, and a blanket covering his body. He and Nick had fought several hours ago over who would be sleeping on the couch that night, with Kevin ultimately winning in the end. Howie had been the first one to retire for the night, though. He hadn't said much since returning from dropping Melicia off at her friend's house and they all knew why, but respected him enough to give him some space. Finally, Howie had just got up without saying a word and disappeared into Sarah's bedroom where AJ later found he had sobbed himself into a deep slumber. The sight had broken AJ's heart.

Now AJ was the only one awake to the world and he kept stealing glance between the tv and the clock. Melicia still had not returned home. It was nearing midnight and AJ had remembered Howie mentioning something that Melicia said she would be home around ten. But AJ hadn't even realized the time had passed by so quickly and ten o'clock had long since passed and there was still no sign of Melicia or even a phone call. AJ felt his heart skip a beat at the thought, knowing Melicia was pretty good and being home when she said she would be. So it couldn't be like her to stay out this late without checking in.

Out of nowhere, AJ felt a vibration in his jeans pocket. The surprise almost sent him falling out of the chair. He quickly got up and went into the kitchen so he wouldn't wake anyone up. "Hello?"

"Alex?" a timid voice called out. "Alex, it's me."

"Melicia? Where the Hell are you? It's getting late!" he whispered loudly.

There was hesitation on the other end and AJ almost wonder if Melicia had hung up, but then he heard a stiffled sob. "I-I need you to c-come get me," she stuttered.

"Honey, what happened? Where are you?" he asked, worried.

"Please don't tell Uncle Howie!"

"He's sleeping right now, so it's ok. Calm down, where are you?"

"I'matthepolicestation," she said quickly.

"Excuse me? You're where?"

"The police station..." Melicia sniffled.

"Mella... why are you there? I thought you were just hanging with your friends."

"Can you come g-get me, Alex? I want to come home!"

"Calm down hon."

"Please don't wake Uncle Howie up!"

"I won't, I promise. Just hang tight, I'll be right there."

AJ slapped his phone shut and shoved it back into his pocket. He jogged back into the living-room and spotted sight of the keys on the coffee table where he quickly hurried to pick them up. "J?" a disgruntled voice called out to him, making AJ jump as he was placing his jacket over his wife beater.

AJ looked to see Nick's eyes barely open and peering at him. "Go back to sleep, Nick," he instructed quietly.

"Gladly..." Nick mumbled almost incoherently and rolled over onto his stomach. He was out like a light again.

AJ sighed in relief and slipped out the door.

*****

AJ got out of the car and sprinted inside the large police station. For it being after midnight, this seemed to be the busy hour as he finally reached the front desk. "You... have a girl..." he panted. "named Melicia Dorough. Where is she?" A policewoman came out of an office, hearing Melicia's name.

"She's back here, sir."

AJ silently followed the lady, keeping his eyes straight past. She led him to a door with a fogged window, instructing him that she was inside, then allowed AJ into room. He jumped as the door was shut behind him, then looked to find Melicia seated in a chair at a table in the middle of the room. Dried tears streaked her face, but as soon as she saw AJ, they began to flow again.

"Alex, thank you so much for coming to get me and not telling Uncle Howie--"

"I know you're thankful. But tell me what the Hell happened, Melicia," AJ replied as he sat down in the chair across from her.

"Please don't get mad at me!"

"I'll judge whether or not I will once you tell me what happened."

"Well, the girls and I decided at the last moment to go to this huge party down by school. There was drinking, like always, but I told myself I wouldn't drink," she sighed heavily. "But I started thinking about my mom and got depressed. I thought that if I had a few drinks, the depression would go away."

AJ watched as Melicia quickly looked away in shame, "Melicia-"

"I didn't know things were going to get out of hand," Melicia continued to explain, staring down at her hands balling up the wrinkled tissue. "I just wanted to have some fun before Uncle Howie made me leave! I didn't know this would happen!" She looked up for a split second but quickly averted her eyes.

"How much did you-" AJ cut himself off in mid sentence. "Wait a minute...look at me for a second," he ordered softly and reached out to turn Melicia's face towards his. She tried to jerk away but he kept a firm grasp. He could tell she had been crying extensively, but the redness was to too much of extent to pass off as just a result from the tears. AJ felt his stomach curl. "Are you fucking stoned, Melicia?!" he blurted before he gave his words a second thought.

Melicia pulled herself from his grasp, knowing she was in deep trouble. "Not anymore!"

"Not anymore? NOT ANYMORE? Why were you in the first place?!"

"I don't know!"

"That isn't an answer damnit! What were you thinking?!"

"I was just trying to have fun before I have to leave! This guy from school said I would forget all my troubles and not feel anything. And that's all I've wanted since Mama died!"

"Marijuana isn't something to mess with! No drug is! And drinking won't make you forget your depression! It only makes it fucking worse!"

Melicia shrunk back as the tears seemed to fall harder. "I know, I know, I know! I'm sorry, it's not going to happen again, okay?"

AJ quickly brought Melicia into his arms, wrapping her in a tight embrace. "Mella...shhh, I didn't mean to yell. C'mon, it's ok..." he kissed the top of her head as she continued to cry into his shoulder. He hadn't meant to blow his top as badly as he just had, but the story coming from her scared the crap out of him and made him think of too many horrible things. "I'm sorry, Mella. Please, calm down."

"I-I-I-I didn't mean to do anything stupid," she hiccuped, finally calming down a little. "And I should have known better after what you told me when you got out of rehab, but... it was just so tempting, I couldn't help it. I'm sorry, Alex..."

"Shhh..."

"I didn't mean for it to happen!"

"Mella, it's ok. You just had me scared when you didn't arrive home when you said you would, and to find out what you were doing...God, you scared me to death! I don't want to see you make the same mistakes I did," he soothed in response to her tears. "It's not worth it, Mella. Trust me, it's not worth it."

"I know it's not... I'm never doing anything that stupid again," she whispered. "Can we go home now?"

"Promise you won't do it again," AJ pressed.

"I promise. Right now, I just want to sleep forever," she replied, putting a hand to her head. "I'm already getting a hangover."

"Welcome to the dealing with the consequences," AJ replied, helping Melicia stand up from her seat; he hugged her again. "Ok, let's go see what I have to do to get you out of here, and then get you home before your uncle wakes up and realizes you're not there yet."

*****

"I owe ya one for this," Melicia spoke quietly as they approached her apartment door. Her heart beat wildly just at the prospect of returning. She just wanted to make it to her bedroom and sleep the terrible night away.

"Yeah, you do," AJ joked and reached out for the door knob, allowing her in.

"Where the HELL have you been?" Howie growled the moment Melicia walked through the door, AJ following close behind. Both froze upon seeing four pairs of eyes gazing intently in their direction. Brian watched from where he sat in the recliner, Nick still on the floor, Kevin sitting on the couch and Howie next to him. AJ couldn't find the words to describe how Howie looked, but he could tell that Howie's eyes were burning so deeply with anger and worry as he sat there, elbows rested on his thighs, that even AJ was a tad bit afraid of him at the moment.

"Uncle Howie! I didn't know you were still up--"

"It's way past 10! Hell, now it's after 1 in the morning! Where were you all this time?" Howie interrupted, talking fast and fierce. He looked over at AJ, who was about to speak for Melicia's defense. "Don't even try to cover for her, Aje!"

"I was--" Melicia began but Howie interrupted her again.

"And don't you dare try to lie to me, Melicia Reneé! I swear to God, what the Hell were you thinking staying out this late? What am I supposed to think when you don't come home on time? Then I wake up to find you aren't here? Do you know what the Hell went through my head when I walked into your room to check on you and you weren't there?! You had me worried sick, Melicia!"

"I know, and I'm sorry! I was just with my friends, that's all!" she replied, her cheeks turning crimson as her uncle used her full name. "I'm not really going to see them again, and I was just having fun!"

"I told you not to lie to me," Howie answered, his voice lower then before.

"I'm not lying, Uncle Howie!"

"Then why did your friends call nearly an hour ago to make sure you got home alright?"

Melicia's jaw dropped. "Wh-who called?"

"Your Stacey, Karen, and Brianna. The friends you were supposidly with. So I suggest before you dig yourself deeper, start telling me the truth!"

"Well, I was with them earlier, that I'm not lying about! It's just.. well... the four of us went to a party--"

"A party?! You told me the four of you were heading to see a movie!"

"We were going to, but the plans changed and we went to the party. There was alcohol there and at first, I promised myself I wasn't going to drink. But... I started thinking about Mama and moving to Florida and I got really depressed. I thought that a few drinks wouldn't hurt."

"Not only did you lie to me about where you were going, but you went and got drunk! And don't deny it, because I can see it in your eyes and your demeanor!"

"I'm not going to deny that I got drunk, too."

"What do you mean, 'got drunk, too'?"

"I--" Melicia froze.

"You've got ten seconds to answer me!"

"Oh, shit... Uncle Howie, please promise you won't kill me," she pleaded, looking at Howie with fear in her eyes.

"Watch your language and answer me now!"

"No, promise me first!"

"You haven't given me a reason to promise you anything! Now I'm asking you for the last time, answer the question!"

"I smoked some weed, okay?! You know; pot, marijuana, ganja, dope--"

"What the Hell were you thinking?!"

"Obviously I wasn't thinking, okay?! Before I knew it, the cops busted the party. I tried to get out of there, but I tripped over an end table and was kinda... arrested..."

Howie jumped up from his seat. "YOU WERE WHAT?!"

Melicia took a step back. "Arrested?"

"D, c'mon--" AJ tried to intervene, but Howie shot him a death glare.

"Why didn't you wake me up to tell me my niece had been arrested?!"

"Because I knew this would be the way you would react. C'mon, man, the girl has learned her lesson. I know she won't do it again."

"You're damn right she won't do it again!" Howie growled. He pointed at Melicia. "Because as of right now, you've lost all of your privilages until I decide you are trustworthy enough to get them back!"

"Uncle Howie!"

"I don't want to hear another word from you tonight, I am so disappointed in you, Melicia! Just get to bed and I will deal with you further in the morning!" Howie gritted his teeth, inhaling a deep breath, and stormed off to Sarah's bedroom.

"Mella-" AJ tried.

"I hate him!!!" Melicia whispered and ran to her bedroom, the tears running down her cheeks.
Chapter 6 by Starry Eyes
"I can't believe this is the last day here," Melicia sighed as she wrote 'Mella's Books' on top of three large boxes. "Didn't think I would move out until I was done with college."

"Feel lucky though. You'll be getting free room and board living with your uncle," Brian joked as he poked his head in through the doorway. He had just the fellas down at the moving truck with the moving people as they loaded everything up, since Howie was taking everything from Sarah's apartment to Florida and putting it in storage there until he figured out what to do with it. He figured his brother, sisters, and parents could help him with that decision once he got settled back at home.

"Ay, yi, yi. Don't mention him right now," Melicia groaned as she faced Brian. "He won't even look at me, let alone say anything."

"Just give him time," Brian shrugged in return, stepping into the room. "He isn't used to this whole parenting idea. He didn't know how to react, that's why he blew up the other night."

"I don't understand why my mom didn't give full custody of me to my grandparents in her will. Uncle Howie wouldn't have to worry about dealing with me. He doesn't need me as a burden in his life," Melicia spoke, more so to herself then to Brian. "He would probably be relieved if Nana and Papa did take me in..."

"I don't know why your mom gave Howie custody, but don't ever think you're a burden to him," Brian chided. "He loves you more than the world itself and just doesn't want anything to happen to you."

"But he should be able to trust me."

"Would you be able to trust your kid if they drank and got high?" Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Well, no. My trust for them would be tainted, but I wouldn't hate them for it."

"Howie doesn't hate you."

"Then why is he acting like he does?"

"Because like I said, he's new to this whole parenting thing. Just give him time, okay?"

"What if he decides he doesn't want me to live with him when we get to Florida?"

"He won't decide that, Mella. Trust me on that. But to stay on his good side, it's best not to drink until you're 21 and never smoke weed again."

"No way, I'm never smoking that again. Gives you a really crappy hangover the next day if you smoke it after you've been drinking. Trust ME, I've learned my lesson," Melicia replied, taping the last box closed. She sighed, "I just wish Uncle Howie would talk to me...I thought his yelling was bad...but his silent treatment is even worse!"

"I know," Brian patted her arm. "You know, you can take the big step and try talking to him."

"Tried and failed this morning, after you and Kev left to get breakfast. He wouldn't even look at me."

Brian frowned. "Well, don't worry. He'll start talking again."

"I didn't mean to disappoint him so badly. It just...happened," Melicia said as she stacked two boxes in Brian's awaiting arms. She offered him a thankful smile and followed him out of the room. "I just..."

"Wish you could take it all back?" Brian finished for her as she opened the door for him.

"Of course..." Melicia nodded, when inside she had meant to say she wished her mother was still there. But there was no point in turning the moment grayer then it already was.

"Unfortunately, there's no way to change the past," Brian sighed as they got into the elevator and headed down to the main lobby.

"Tell me about it," Melicia mumbled, leaning against the wall.

"It'll get better, Mella," Brian smiled softly as the elevator doors slid open. Melicia went to walk out, but Howie stepped into view, attempting to step onto the elevator to head up and retrieve more of the boxes. He looked at Melicia shortly, then moved his glance onto Brian.

"Hey, D. Long time no see," Brian tried to joke.

"Less than ten minutes," Howie grumbled.

"Even the great ones can't make 'em all laugh," Brian muttered as he got off the elevator, leaving Howie and Melicia alone.

"Uncle Howie..." Melicia began, keeping a few feet's distance between herself and her uncle. She felt her stomach turn as she looked her uncle over. He looked more rugged then he usually did. His eyes were bloodshot and droopy. His hair was a mess, more so then usual, and it looked like he had carelessly thrown himself together that morning.

"You're keeping me from going back upstairs," Howie replied without any emotion.

"Sorry," Melicia whispered and stepped out of the elevator, watching the doors slide shut.

*****

"Last box!" Nick hooted as he lifted it up and headed to the door. Everyone was now downstairs except for AJ and Melicia.

"This place is so empty..." she trailed off, sitting down in the bare living room.

AJ nodded, unsure of what else to say.

"It doesn't feel right," Melicia continued to speak.

"What doesn't feel right?" AJ asked.

"It being so empty and me leaving," Melicia answered, turning to look at him.

"There's nothing you can do, really," he began, sitting down next to her. "Things change and you have to adapt."

"Doesn't mean I have to like it."

"No, you don't have to like it at all. But, you do have to learn to accept it," AJ agreed, wrapping an arm around her waist. "But look at it this way. You're gaining a huge family once you come down to Florida. Your grandparents, aunts, uncle, cousins, the Backstreet Family... it's gonna be crazy."

"But I'm gonna lose everyone here. How is that fair?"

"Somethings in life just aren't fair..."

"Yeah, no kidding. First I lose Daddy. Then Mama. Now Uncle Howie isn't talking to me and I have to leave everything I know and love here."

"That jerk still isn't talking to you?" AJ teased, nudging Melicia in the side in hopes of cheering her up.

"No," Melicia giggled a little as AJ's elbow hit a ticklish spot.

"He'll come around. Just--"

"Give him time. I know, I already got this talk from Brian a little while ago."

"Good, I don't like giving lectures," AJ made a face, taking in all of Melicia's features. Since the day he 'fell' on top of her, AJ looked at her in a different light.

"Good, 'cause I don't like hearing them," Melicia smiled, leaning against AJ for a second.

The door to the apartment was pushed open and Melicia immediately pulled away from AJ thinking it was her uncle Howie, but was relieved when it was Kevin who entered the place. "It's time to hit the road," he spoke, shoving his hands into his pockets as he leaned against the frame. "You ready Mella?"

"No..."

"More boxes?"

"No..."

"Then?"

AJ knew the look on Melicia's face and turned back towards Kevin. "Could you give us a minute, Kev? Then we'll be down."

Kevin caught the point and nodded, shutting the door behind himself as he walked out.

"I know you don't want to leave, Mella. But this is a time where you have to do things you don't want to do--"

"I-I know..." Melicia whispered.

"Need a minute?"

"Please?"

"I'll be write outside the door waiting." AJ stood up and left Melicia alone where she sat in the middle of the bare living-room floor.

"I don't want to leave, Mama... I don't," Melicia whispered, tears falling down her face. "You raised me here and now I'm being forced to go. It's like I'm not only leaving the place we lived, but that I'm leaving you and the memories here, too. I just wish I knew if you could really hear me or not."

Melicia quickly checked her room to make sure all of the boxes had been removed, then hurried along to her mother's room. She couldn't leave without one last goodbye. But the moment she stepped foot inside the room, she felt like she was going to get sick. Melicia never imagined it would be this hard to leave. For a moment she could see her sitting on the edge of the bed in the morning, brushing her long beautiful hair and prepping herself for work. Her mother was always so tidy and Melicia envied her for it. But the memory soon faded and was replaced with the cold empty room. Tears welled in Melicia's eyes.

"Mama... please, don't hate me for leaving," she called into the room softly, hearing her voice echo. "I-I love you."

Warm arms wrapped around Melicia and she almost thought it was her mother returning to let her know she was ok, but it was a foolish thought and Melicia soon realized that it was only AJ. She didn't hold anything back though as she allowed him to hold her, her tears soaking through the front of his shirt.

And so she came to face what she had been trying to ignore all along.

This was it...she had to say goodbye.


How do I say goodbye to what we had?
The good times that made us laugh
Outweigh the bad

I thought we'd get to see forever
But forever's gone away
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday

I don't know where this road
Is going to lead
All I know is where we've been
And what we've been through

If we get to see tomorrow
I hope it's worth all the wait
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday

And I'll take with me the memories
To be my sunshine after the rain
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday

And I'll take with me the memories
To be my sunshine after the rain
It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday
Chapter 7 by Starry Eyes
Author's note: This chap was written with the help of Anastacia. Thanks, chica!



"Wow... are you sure you didn't make this house look gigantic since I was here last, Uncle Howie?" Melicia gasped as they pulled up to a Spanish themed house. She hadn't been in her uncle's house since she was in elementary school.

"I don't think I changed anything except the whole indoor pool made into a halfway outdoor pool with just a glass wall in between..." Howie trailed, hefting two of Melicia's largest cases of luggage. The other guys trailed in with various boxes, not really saying much, because finally, Howie had warmed back to Melicia.

"It looks so different," she replied, grabbing two duffel bags. "I don't even remember the last time I was here..."

"You just said elementary school," Nick snickered.

"Yes, but I now RESIDE in Tampa... you RESIGN here, right, Nicky?"

"Say...huh?" Nick asked blankly.

"Mission accomplished," Melicia and Brian laughed, giving each other a high five.

"Sometimes I think her moving here means that I'll be taking care of four kids," Howie muttered to Kevin as the began to trot up the stairs. Howie had given Melicia her own room with a living room area and her own bathroom.

"Yeah, welcome to my world," Kevin chuckled as they reached Melicia's room.

"Holy crap! This is MY room?" she squealed, walking into her room.

"Yeah, yours and only yours," Howie replied, ruffling Melicia's dark locks.

"Uncle Howie, this is great!" she gave him a tight hug and kissed his cheek. She looked out the window and squealed again. "And I have an ocean view! Oh my God!"

"I think I've lost my hearing," Nick complained, rubbing his eardrums.

"Just think of all the more joyous events that will follow with little Mel in the family," Brian teased, headlocking Nick underneath his arm.

"Yeah, with little Mel-- hey! I'm not middle!" Melicia objected as she turned from the window.

"Not middle?" AJ snickered, holding his mouth in his hands.

"Shut up, I have jet lag," Melicia replied. "Be nice to me."

"Nice to you? After all the kind of pranks you used to pull on us? Oh, no, dear child. This will be payback time. Sheer paybacks," AJ replied, kissing her cheek. He then turned and hurried back down the stairs to grab more boxes before the loaders arrived.

"This is gonna be Hell," Melicia muttered to herself while beginning to unpack and the guys went down to get the rest of her things. The room was already furnished and designed exactly the way she wanted. In the middle of her bedroom was a king size bed. A grin creeped on her face as she ran and plopped onto it. "Whoa!" it was then she realized it was a water bed. "This is so cool, I always wanted a water bed!"

"Yeah, you'll be a spoiled brat all over again," Howie replied, sitting next to her by the bed. He gave the boys a look, causing them to scurry away. Howie gave Melicia a knowing look. "I know I was mad, but we have to talk about the other day."

"Do we have to? I mean, we can just pretened..." she trailed off at the look Howie had on his face. "Alright, let's talk."

"Yes, we have to. You're old enough to know that it was wrong. And you're old enough to know that it's not the way to solve your problems. And don't give me the pitch that all teenagers expirement with that stuff. I know better. I'm not Gram nor am I Pop. I'm your uncle," Howie replied stiffly.

"I know, and it was a stupid thing to do," Melicia looked down at her hands in shame. "I'm really sorry I let you down, Uncle Howie. I just got caught up in the whole party scene and didn't say no when I should have."

"And the whole issue about calling AJ over me. Never, under any circumstance, do I want you to substitute me for Aje. He's a great guy and one of my best friends, but I'm your uncle. You need to know that I'll help you out no matter what the cause, even if I'm mad. I'm your guardian and I love you, I won't let you down, even if I have to punish you," Howie replied carefully, knowing Melicia's touchy attitude might explode.

"I know. And I love you too, but I thought that if he came and got me, you wouldn't have known what I did. Then you wouldn't be disappointed in me like you are right now."

"You can't erase what happened. And the truth is, I'm more disappointed that you couldn't trust in me."

"I'm sorry, Uncle Howie."

"Yeah, I know you are," Howie replied with his famous nuturing smile.

Melicia smiled back. "You know, that smile is a killer. No wonder you're such a ladies man."

"Yeah, now if I could only get a woman, any kids your age?" Howie teased, nudging her on the shoulder.

"Ew, that's so gross," she laughed, poking him in the side.

"No grosser than you hooking up with one of the boys that are hanging in the hallway, listening to every word we say," Howie recalled, chucking a pillow into the hallway, causing one of them to tumble.

"Hey!" a voice shouted, throwing the pillow back and bonking Melicia on the head.

"Ow! Who did that?!"

"You'll never find the culprit," Howie replied as all four shuffled in with more boxes, piling them in a corner. Melicia glared at them, but they all shrugged their shoulders with impish grins. Howie patted her knee. "So, do you want to hear about the new school you'll be attending for senior year?"

"Yeah! Is it the one you, Mama, Uncle John, Aunt Polly, Aunt Angie and Aunt Caroline went to?"

"Yeah, the one and only... you might be a little famous going in...but it'll be fun," Howie replied, glad that she was excited at the very least.

"As long as I don't get mobbed by girls, I'm okay," she thought for a minute. "But GUYS, on other the hand. THAT'S a different story."

"Yeah, that is a different story," AJ muttered.

"What do you mean by that, Alex?" she asked curiously.

"Nothing," AJ replied, shrugging it off.

"Ooookay," Melicia replied, getting back to unpacking books, DVD's and CD's. "When do I start school, Uncle Howie?"

"How soon do you want to start?" Howie teased, "Not that you have much choice."

"Umm... graduation!"

"Yeah, you start Monday," Howie replied, patting her head. Melicia rolled her eyes, trying to swat at him. Yet, Howie was already making for the door. "Now, if you'll excuse me, you have some unpacking to do. And I think it's a total kind of spiritual thing where you need to define your space... Or, another way to look at it is that I need to call for some grub and play pool."

"You're just as weird as Mama," Melicia replied, rolling her eyes. "No wonder you two were related."

"Yeah, but remember, she influenced me more because I'm younger," Howie replied, clapping Kevin on the shoulder.

"That means I'm doomed," Melicia groaned as she continued to unpack.

"Def-definitely," Nick answered, flashing her a grin before he chased the two older men down the stairs, begging to order pizza.

"Yeah, sorry, Mel. It's what the human race calls the Dorough family curse," Brian chuckled before going downstairs.

"So... are you gonna help me or just stand there?" Melicia teased as AJ stood by the doorway

"Do you want help?"

"Sure, I got a lot of stuff to unpack. Maybe you'll be able to find my journal... it's somewhere in this mess."

"Anything I'd find interesting in it?" AJ asked, bending down.

"Maybe, maybe not," they unpacked in silence for a few moments when it was interrupted by a thud and a string of curses. Melicia had accidently dropped an armload of the Harry Potter hardback cover books on her feet.

"Yeah, that'll definitely leave a mark," AJ laughed, stepping up. He bent down to remove the books from her toes, quickly hefting her into his arms. He carried her back to the bed without hesitation, plopping on the bed with her. "I'm not a doctor or anything though..."

"Ow, ow, ow, ow," she whined softly, her head against his shoulder. "Stupid books, I think my toes are broken."

"Can you wiggle them?" he asked, still studying her foot.

She finally did move them a little, gritting her teeth in pain. "Yeah, but it really hurts."

"Probably just a bruise... Buck-up, you didn't get them run over by a car," AJ chuckled, running his finger underneath her chin. When he felt the sparks between them, he instantly pulled away, just studying her.

"Alex? Are you okay?" she asked.

"Of course, just peachy, kid," AJ answered, trying to distance himself without even thinking about it.

"Then why are you moving away from me?" Melicia replied. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No, just got the skeeves touching you under the chin. Felt like I was my mother or something."

"Well, what if I touched you under the chin?"

"I don't know... go ahead and try."

Without hesitation, Melicia reached over and brushed her fingers underneath the stubble of his growing beard. She shivered as he grabbed her fingers, pulling her close. Their lips were almost touching, but Howie's voice caught them by surprise. "Mella, I just called the school. They got your classes arranged based on what you were taking back in New York, except I had to swing you into Anatomy and Physiology--" AJ sprang back, tumbling off the bed. "J? What the Hell? It's a water bed, not a trampoline."

"Alex was just trying to see if the bed was to his standard," Melicia spoke up, getting to her feet. "What were the classes you got me into?"

"The stuff you were in before, but you had two extra slots. So they put you in Anatomy and Physiology plus Choir. Hope you're not too shy about singing," Howie teased, handing her the slip of paper, glancing sideways at AJ's uneasy demeanor.

"Choir is great as long as they don't ask if I can sing higher than you... that's damn near impossible," Melicia laughed, trying to get Howie's attention off of AJ.

"Yeah, well, maybe the competition will make you nervous," Howie teased, focusing back on his niece. "There should be some girls around this neighborhood that go to the school. Maybe you'll find one that you can hang out with so you're not with us old farts a lot."

"Yeah, sounds good to me," she laughed, pushing Howie in the shoulder. "The only one here who could halfway give me a run for my money is Nick and he's too much of a blonde 99% of the time."

"Well, you might meet some valley girls on the way," AJ replied, stacking the books on a nearby shelf. "Maybe one of the rich girls can give you a ride in her beemer, too!"

"Beemers? That's what they drive around here?" Melicia made a face. "Back at home it was Mercedes and Cadillacs."

"You never know, maybe you'll meet a rich chick with a hummer," AJ chuckled, ruffling her curls. When Howie eyed him curiously, he immediately moved away. He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm going to go make sure that the pizza man doesn't get mobbed by Nick."

"Yeah, good idea. Tell him I get half of the cheese," Melicia called as AJ scurried out of the room.

"The girls aren't too bad around here. Pretty cute for being eighteen," Howie replied, glancing down at her bruised toes. "You might need a Hummer for those bruises."

"No kidding," she winced as she walked to the bookshelf. "I dropped all my Harry Potter books on top of my feet. Mama said I'm clumsy like Daddy was. Another curse from the family genes."

"There's no curse in your family genes," Howie scorned gently. "Just a whole lot of love."

"I know, Uncle Howie. I'm just letting you know that clumsiness DOES run in our family."

"A lot of things run in our family."

"Yeah, I know... Uncle Howie?"

"What?"

"What convinced you to do that "Howie doing sweetheart" saying when All I Have To Give came out?" she asked, snickering a little. "I always asked Mama, but she laughed too hard when I did to tell me."

"What made you think of that?"

Melicia shrugged. "I don't know. I was just curious."

"Long story, babe."

"Ah, the reply of a man too embarrassed to tell his niece," she laughed. "Can I go down for a swim, just for a little bit?"

"Yeah, sure, your weekend to splurge."

"Really? Splurge?" Melicia asked with a wide eyed stare.

"Don't even think about it. Nothing illegal. I don't care if you go shopping or whatever, just make sure the police don't call me with a warrent for your arrest. Rules of the house - alright? If it's illegal - don't even go near it."

"Don't go near anything that's legal," Melicia confirmed with a grin. "Got it!"

"Melicia, don't start stepping on cracks, alright?" Howie groaned.

"I'm just teasing, Uncle Howie," she walked over and kissed his cheek. "Now get out of here, I need to change. Shoo!"

"I love you, Mella," Howie cooed, kissing her cheek as he walked out.

"Love you, too!" she called after him before changing into her swimsuit, which was luckily in her favorite duffel bag. It was a sleek, metallic blue one piece. Putting her long hair into braided pigtails, she grabbed a towel from the bathroom and headed downstairs.
Chapter 8 by Starry Eyes
This chap is by Ana and me. Thanks, girl!



"Oh, a dip in the pool is going to feel great," Melicia sighed as she headed towards the backyard. Howie wasn't lying; he did make it part outside and part inside. So she could go swimming rain or shine.

Melicia seemed completely oblivious to the boys standing near the glass doors as she tore the towel away from her matured body. She ran with heightened speed, diving into the crystal liquid as if it were a bed filled with pillows. AJ felt his mouth go absolutely dry when he watched Melicia surface with her bathing suit clinging to every curve. He immediately tore his eyes away from the scene, trying to drown his heavily panted thoughts.

She opened her eyes and gasped softly. "Umm... how long have you guys been standing there?"

"Long enough to see your diving glory," Nick teased as they walked out onto the large patio.

Melicia rolled her eyes, slightly blushing. "Mama taught me how to dive when I was little. Been addicted to swimming since then."

"Another Dorough curse?" Brian asked, watching her lazily kick about the pool.

"Not a curse this time, Bri," she replied, soaking in the sun. AJ found himself staring at Melicia as she swam. "This is a Dorough Gift."

"You think you can behave yourself for a few hours?" Howie asked, sitting down at the edge of the pool. He placed his legs in the water, kicking some water at Melicia.

"I should hope so," she replied, kicking a little water back at him. "Where are you going?"

"The guys and I need to go out and grab some food for this house," Howie answered.

"Oh, okay," she turned to AJ, who seemed to be a little bothered about something. "AJ? Would you stay with me so I have some company in this gigantic house?"

"Y-You want me here?" he stammered, unable to control the shakiness in his voice.

"Well, yeah. Is that alright?"

"If your uncle doesn't mind," AJ replied carefully, shifting his eyes toward Howie.

"No, not at all. Besides, maybe you two can go walking around the neighborhood to find some girls Mel's age anyways."

"You mean for J to date?" Nick cackled with amusement.

"Do you want to get thrown into the pool, Carter?" AJ growled.

"I'm just trying to help you out, damn!" Nick groaned, stepping away.

"No, you need help more than me--"

"Stop it you two," Kevin barked, taking command.

"Are you guys like this all the time?" Melicia asked as she swam over to her uncle.

"Always and forever," Howie promised as Melicia reached up to kiss his cheek. Howie smiled, running his hands in her wet, dark curls. "Behave with AJ, alright? He might try to kiss you, knowing my luck," Howie teased lightly, not realizing the significance.

"Don't worry, Uncle Howie," Melicia gave a sweet smile while in her mind she was thinking the exact opposite. "We'll both behave."

"I hope so," Howie replied, following the men.

Before AJ and Melicia knew it, they were alone. She looked up at him and laughed. "Cat got your tongue, Alex?"

"No, just you..." AJ murmured, sitting at the edge of the pool.

"Oh, really?" she gave a smile, swimming to him. AJ shivered as he felt her hands on his legs. "How did I do that?"

"You're... you're really grown up, Mel."

"I kind of hide that behind my clothes a lot of the time," she agreed. "But when it comes to sun and swimming... well..." she motioned to herself.

"You're beautiful. You shouldn't hide it," AJ admitted honestly, leaning back on the palms of his hands. He closed his eyes, tilting his head toward the sun. He smiled as the sun warmed his body, causing him to tingle.

"I've never had a guy tell me that before," she whispered, resting her chin on his knee.

"Well, they didn't know how lucky they were to be around you then," he replied, looking down into her eyes.

"Are you causing trouble?" Melicia teased, allowing her fingers to trace gently down his shirt. She had never felt so close to danger before, but she was exhilerated. She liked the feel.

"M-Me? Cause trouble?" AJ stuttered, his muscles fluttering at her touch. "Never."

"I like to cause trouble."

"Mel, if your uncle would find out about this-- he would litterally kill me where I stand. I can't even disagree at the thought of your mom coming back to kill me, too."

"But you like me, don't you?"

"Do you want me to be perfectly honest?"

"Yes, of course."

AJ hesitated for a long moment, trying to gather his strangled thoughts. He could only imagine Melicia's beautiful eyes, and then he imagined Howie attacking him. He assumed that Howie could become a vipor when it came to defending his family. AJ sighed, pulling his legs out of the water. "I don't know what I feel at the moment. I like you, Mella. I really do. I think you're great and I get all nervous around you. Yes, they're feelings building, but your uncle would strike me dead. Strike me deader than dead. We have to think about this, because I don't want to end up six feet under."

Melicia moved a little over and pulled herself out of the water, sitting next to AJ. "I feel the same way about you, Alex. Don't you think Uncle Howie would kill me too if he found out? I'd be six feet under right along with you. But... it feels right when we're together, don't you think?"

"Can... Can we think about this?"

"Alex, I've been thinking about this since I was 16."

"Then can you let me think about it?"

She sighed heavily, sliding halfway into the water. "Sure, that's no problem--"

"Don't think I don't want you..." AJ replied, grasping her upper arms to keep her from sliding fully into the water.

She turned towards him, about to speak when their eyes locked and words left her mouth. He could do the only thing that was on his mind - kiss her.

*~*~*

Beep! Beep! Beep! Be--

Melicia groaned and slammed her hand down on her alarm clock. "Not time to wake up yet!"

"Let's go, Mella!" Howie called immediately afterward, stepping into her room. He reached forward and yanked the covers off her curled body. She whined in response, trying to reach for the covers. Instead, Howie tugged her upward. "You'll be late for Anatomy and Physiology. Let's go."

"Uncle Howie, it is WAY too early for those classes!" she protested. "At my old school, I didn't have to be there until 10."

"Well, you have to get used to it. I told you to go to bed earlier, but you seemed obsessed in beating AJ in some game. So, let's go. I won't stand for slacking in your Senior year. Colleges can cancel your admission if you slack. So, get up," Howie replied, pushing her toward her large closet.

"This sucks," she rubbed her eyes, trying to focus on what to wear for the day.

"Yeah, you're a teenager. Everything is supposed to suck," Howie replied, kissing her forehead. "So, have fun. I have a meeting with the boys. I'll send your hellos, unless you have a special request."

"The normal hellos. I'm not able to think right now," Melicia answered. "Do I get to drive one of your cars to school today?"

"Does your foot hurt?"

"Yeah, but not a lot. Doesn't mean I can't drive, though."

"Let me drop you off at school and you call me when you're done. I don't want you crashing a car because of your foot," Howie answered.

"But--" she sighed, knowing it was too early to fight. "Alright... can we take the 'Vette?"

"You want to make an impression?" Howie teased.

"Well, who wouldn't want to drive a kick ass car--"

"Melicia, get dressed," Howie groaned.

"Yes, Uncle Howie," Melicia cooed, kissing his cheek as he left her room and headed down to the kitchen to cook a quick breakfast.

"What to wear, what to wear..." she muttered to herself, looking through her new clothes she had just bought yesterday with AJ. Her mind traveled to the tendered kiss they had shared. It seemed as if everything had fallen into place with them, despite AJ's protests. A cool smile curved on Melicia's lips as she snatched two items off her hangers. AJ would absolutely drop dead when he visited after school.

*~*~*

"So... this is my new school," Melicia commented as Howie pulled his purple Corvette up to the front of the building.

"Yeah, a lot of rich kids to say the least," Howie murmured, watching several girls go running up the sidewalk in expensive brand names. They shrieked in delight as several boys followed closely behind.

"Those are the kind of girls that will annoy me," she replied, looking at the same group Howie was, subconsciously smoothing out her shirt.

Howie offered a kind smile. "Sweetheart, you'll fit in just fine. You've got nothing to worry about. You're perfect. Now get out of my car before I push you out."

"Well, when you put if that way..." she smiled back and kissed his cheek. "Bye, Uncle Howie."

Howie waved as Melicia hopped out of the car. She glanced at her watch, knowing that her first class would commence soon. She hurriedly raced through the hallways, pushing past girls who simply clicked their tongues in annoyance. Melicia rolled her eyes, searching for the room number to Anatomy and Physiology. Thankfully, she found it and darted in the doorway. Unfortunantly, another student was walking out, and they connected. Melicia's backpack went flying with the contents spilling onto the floor. Immediately, she heard the snickering of several beauty queens parked in the back rows. Melicia's cheeks flushed an intense red.

"Ignorance is never bliss, huh?" a voice called, causing Melicia to glance up from her mess. She noticed a girl pull away from a large group of boys, walking toward her. The girl was unlike any of the others she had just briefly encountered in this school. The girl was different. She wore a pair of gray baggy sweatpants with a tight blue tank top. Her flaxen curls were pulled into a tight ponytail. She wore no makeup, alerting others to her natural beauty. Her dark sapphire-emerald eyes were intense as she gazed at Melicia, bending down to gather her things.

"Um, yeah, especially with the girls I had seen so far," Melicia replied as they got her books and whatnot together. She placed them in her backpack and they both stood up. "I'm Melicia."

"Name's Ana, short for Anastacia, but no one bothers to memorize that mess," Ana teased, her sapphire-emerald eyes glittered with an impish nature. She tugged at her oversized gray sweatpants, only to have them fall against her hips, showing off a sapphire belly button ring.

Melicia laughed. "With my friends back in New York, I was called everything from Mel to Marshmellow... so whatever you call me, I should be okay with it."

"Figured you were new to this," Ana replied, turning for a moment when several guys called her name. She waved toward them, making an obvious motion for them to shut up. She turned back to Melicia. "New to Anatomy and Physiology, too?"

"Yeah, I just moved here from New York to live with my uncle. Before I knew it, he signed me up for this class."

"Not too hard. I can help you out if you want," Ana replied casually.

"Really? That would be great--"

"Ana! Hey! Cute outfit!" a girl suddenly called, waving from the pack of vultures that had laughed at Melicia. The girl smiled brightly to Ana, making Melicia assume that Ana was personable to mesh with any crowd. Melicia then studied the new girl. She was a slender brunette with brilliant blue eyes. She wore a light pink miniskirt with a white tank top and light pink sweater. Her ears glittered with expensive diamond studs, alerting Melicia that she was quite high up on the food chain.

"Just rolled out of bed and pulled it on, Connie," Ana called back with what seemed like her natural, impish smile. Connie laughed loudly, giving Ana a thumb's up sign. The boys that had been hanging around Ana snickered, causing Ana to flick them her middle finger. She finally turned back to Melicia, seeming dazed for a moment. "So, what was I saying?"

"Well, you had offered me help with this class. You don't have to if you're too busy--"

"I can help you, that's not a problem," Ana interupted.

"Thanks," Melicia smiled as she gazed back at Connie and her friends. "That girl seemed nice, are you friends with her?"

Ana glanced back to Connie and the vultures and then sized the outfit Melicia was wearing. Melicia had choosen a fire red tube top with a tight, midcalf length black capris. Ana rolled her eyes toward Melicia, scrunching her nose up in distaste. "They're not horrifically bad, if that's what you're asking. I just talk with them to keep peace, but if you're their type, that's cool. Just a piece of advice though, you can hang with the Beemer Babes all you want, but you probably won't get anywhere."

"And those are Beemer Babes," Melicia confirmed, watching the group lookat what she was wearing. "Um, not my type... what kind of clique are you in? Or are you the Floater that can fit in anywhere?"

"I can hang anywhere, just depends on my mood. And yeah, my friends and I call them Beemer Babes, because their Daddy's buy them Beemers. No matter what they do, they'll always be Beemer Babes. Guess you might want to find a clique and stick to it, it seems like that's your thing," Ana replied as the bell shrilly rang. She shrugged her lean shoulders, immediately turning to her group. She settled down amongst the boys as the teacher hurried inside. Melicia shifted uncomfortably, handing her slip of paper to the teacher, knowing inside that she had probably blown her odds of getting to know Ana as a friend.

*~*~*

Melicia groaned heavily as she hoisted her overfilled backpack onto her shoulders. The day was through and she couldn't wait to get home. Her thoughts were drawn to AJ as the annoying pain invaded her foot yet again. Walking all day had caused the pain to heighten into a throb. She wanted to scream aloud, but found a familiar voice calling to her. Melicia turned around to see Ana lean on an oversized black Hummer with metallic purple rims. Ana let the sunglasses fall down the bridge of her nose as she spoke, "Hey, Clicky. You look lost!"

"Just a little bit!" Melicia replied, shifting the weight of her bag as she took in the sight of the huge car in front of her. "I called my uncle to come and get me, but he's not here yet and my foot is killing me."

"Where do you live?"

"Over on Oceanview Boulevard."

"What's the number?"

She had to think for a minute. "Um... 2862."

Ana offered her usual impish smile. "Call your uncle back, I can give you a lift."

"In that thing?" Melicia gasped.

"It's not a thing. It's a Hummer. I call it 'The Beast.' It's a pretty sweet ride. Parting gift from my mother just before she kicked out, guess she figured it'd replace her," Ana replied with a casual shrug of her shoulders as if it were nothing that her mother had died.

"Yeah, it's definitely a beast," Melicia muttered in awe as she climbed into the Hummer, throwing her bag in the backseat after grabbing her cell phone.

Ana kicked up the engine as Melicia spoke briefly to her uncle. The engine roared with awesome power as several guys hooted and waved goodbye to Ana. She leaned out the window for a brief moment, shouting her own goodbyes. Ana then glanced over to Melicia, offering another smile. "Clicky, you want to know what the good news is?"

"What's that?" Melicia asked as she snapped her phone shut, slipping her own sunglasses on as the Florida sun beat down in the car.

"I live right across the street from you. So, you can ride in The Beast every day."

"Really? That's cool!" Melicia smiled, excited that she was finally connecting with someone from school. "Do you live with your dad, then?"

"Yeah, but he's never there. A lawyer, you know, always gone. But that doesn't bother me. I have enough friends to occupy my time," Ana replied nonchantly, allowing her elbow to lean out the window as she settled into a slouch behind the wheel of her massive car. "So, you live with your uncle?"

"Mm-hmm," Melicia answered. "My mom died during 9/11, so he's my guardian. He's the father I never had."

"I feel for you," Ana replied casually, hiding her own secret.

"You said something about this car being your mom's parting present... what happened to her?" Melicia asked quietly.

"She died."

"I thought it was that much. Can I ask how she died?"

"Does it matter?"

"No, I guess not. Sorry," Melicia winced at the tone in Ana's voice and looked out the window.

"Sorry," Ana immediately replied, glancing over for a small moment. "She died during 9/11, too. She was on one of the planes, probably fighting like a tiger."

"Really? My mom was in the North Tower on the 100th floor... knowing her, she was trying to find a way out up until it--" Melicia stopped, painful memories flooding in again.

"Yeah," Ana replied, feeling that was all she had to say.

By now, they had reached their neighborhood. "I still can't believe how big all these houses are."

"You'll get used to it, seeing as how you have a big celeb for an uncle, right?" Ana guessed with a knowing smile, pulling up to Melicia's new home. Ana had the perfect laid back attitude that seemed to call to Melicia. It was obvious that Ana didn't care who Melicia was attached to.

"How did you know that?" Laughter escaped Melicia's lips as she saw Ana's eyes twinkle with humor. "I never even told you who he was."

"I've lived across from the man since I was probably a baby. This street talks. I know all, even if I don't say much," Ana answered, parking in the driveway. Melicia carefully jumped out of the large car.

"Well, you're the first person I've met who hasn't freaked out about it or begged to meet him and the guys," she replied, giving Ana a grin. "Do you wanna come over later?"

"You sure you want to hang around with a Floater, Clicky?"

"I don't pay attention to the other groups. It doesn't matter if you're a Jock, Beember Babe, Floater, Goth... whatever."

"Good, because I have the flavor of all. I guess I'll see you around seven," Ana replied as she leaned over and shut the passenger door. She revved her engine, coasting out as if she had been driving all her life. Melicia gave a dorky wave as Ana traveled across the street. She then gave a large squeal, running in the house to tell her uncle about her day.
Chapter 9 by Starry Eyes
This chap was written by Alex and me. Thanks, Mama!


"Uncle Howie!" Melicia yelled as she threw her bag on the floor in the entranceway and ran towards the living room. "Uncle Howie!"

"Whoa, slow down, Mella!" Howie chuckled, meeting Melicia halfway between the living-room and the kitchen. He was currently in the process of stuffing into his mouth the last bite of whatever he had been previously eating. "Where's the fire?"

"No fire!" she squealed, clapping her friends."Today was-- well, besides crazy, but all turned out great! And now you don't have to worry about giving me a ride to school anymore."

"I'm not letting you drive my vette, if that's what you have in mind-"

"No, not the Vette. A Hummer!"

"Oh, that's good-- a HUMMER? How is that possible?"

"Ana offered to give me a ride!"

"Ana? Ana who?"

Melicia bit her lip, trying to remember what her AP teacher said during attendance. "Ana... Ana Lord."

"You made a friend then?" Howie answered with a smile as Melicia followed him back into the kitchen. He quickly tossed her a can of soda as he retrieved one for himself from the fridge.

"Yeah, and on the first day. That's never happened to me before. She's so cool, Uncle Howie, you would love her. And..." she looked down at her drink for a second. "she lost her mom during 9/11, too."

Howie paused, halfway through raising his drink to his lips. He studied Melicia carefully, noticing the emotions storming inside his niece. "She did?" he finally forced out, his voice more so on the quiet side as Melicia refused to make eye contact for a moment.

"Yeah," she whispered. "Her mom was on one of the planes that hit the Towers."

"That's terrible," Howie answered, afraid of saying one wrong word, because he knew Melicia could snap emotionally at any given moment. It was one thing he had to watch lately. Melicia was just as emotionally unstable as he was, if not more, and the littlest things seemed to set her into a spell of sadness.

"It is... but Ana says her mom was fighting until the end," Melicia looked up at Howie, her piercing blue eyes filled with emotion. "Do you think Mama was doing the same? Trying to get out of the Tower before it fell?"

Howie nodded. "Of course she was."

"I really wish she was able to get out of that damn tower...I do every night," Melicia sighed, drinking the rest of her pop. "Oh, before I forget. Ana is coming over here later around 7, is that okay?"

Howie felt relieved as his niece quickly changed the subject. "Yeah, I think that will be fine. Just hanging out?"

"Yeah, getting to know each other better, maybe go swimming or something. Do you got anything planned today?"

"A few errands. Then I have to head down with Kevin to management to discuss a few things," Howie answered. Melicia had already taken a seat upon one the bar stools at the counter, leaning her head against her hand with exhaustion. "The fellas may be coming over later. Mella, are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, Uncle Howie... just really drained from school, that's all. First day nerves are finally settling down and my foot isn't feeling too great right now."

"There's an ice pack in the freezer," Howie suggested.

Melicia shrugged, getting up from the bar stool. "Ice isn't necessary, either way it'll hurt for awhile. When do you leave for your errands and the meeting with management?"

"In a few. I was waiting for you to get home to make sure you got in alright. You want me to pick anything up for you while I'm out?"

"Nah, I'm alright," she kissed his cheek. "I gotta go start my homework. I'll see you later tonight?"

"Yeah, I won't be too late. Just a few hours at the most."

"Okay. Have fun, Uncle Howie," she went to get her backback and limped up to her room.

*****

Melicia sighed in frustration as she flipped back and forth between several pages in her text book for her Anatomy and Physiology class. Only having completed her first day at school and already she was slammed with a load of homework. Most of which failed to strike her interest and succeeded at drowning her in boredom. Her head pounded right along with her aching foot and she wanted nothing more then to snap the pen in half that she was writing with and call it quits for the day. However, that would probably not be a good idea since the good size assignment she was working was due the next day and she could all too well remember her uncle's words about slacking off. "Damnit! Where the Hell is the defenition?!" she gritted her teeth and finally chucked the pen from her grasp and sent it spiraling in the direction of her doorway, just as the door was being pushed open.

"Ouch! Thanks for the welcome, Babe," AJ came walking into the room, rubbing his forehead where her pen hit him.

"Alex, I'm sorry!" Melicia blushed, trying to not laugh at the pitiful look on his face. "I didn't hear the door opening."

"Next time I'll remember to knock," AJ groaned, rolling his eyes.

"Oh, stop complaining," she got up and kissed the red mark. "See? All better."

AJ shrunk away from Melicia's touch for a moment. Seeing her questioning stare, he shrugged and offered her an impish smile. "Yeah, all better," he answered.

"You're nervous around me, aren't you?"

"Nah, girl! I never get nervous..." AJ answered quickly.

"Alex," she slightly scolded, taking her hand into his and bringing him over to her large bed. "You know you can tell me. I mean, that kiss we had... it was--"

"It...shouldn't have happened. Melicia, I mean...you...I...your uncle..."

"Forget about my uncle. What does your heart tell you?" she placed both their hands over his chest. "Because mine says to go for it."

AJ gently pushed her hands away. "It's not right...us...Mella, you're only 18..."

"That's right, I'm 18. A legal adult and capable of making my own decisions. Are you trying to tell me you don't feel anything for me? Nothing at all?"

"That's not what I'm saying," AJ attempted to explain, shaking his head as he broke their stare. "It's just...Mella, I don't think it's right..."

"Alex," Melicia made him look into her eyes. "I'm not asking you to be my husband or something. Why can't we just see how it all goes? If you still feel it's not right, we can stop."

"I don't want to take advantage of you, Mella," AJ whispered.

"You won't. Whatever happens with this relationhip will be consensual," Melicia leaned in and kissed him softly.

"Mella..." AJ mumbled as Melicia broke the soft kiss and leaned back. He silently cursed the thoughts that were tearing him in two directions. He wanted so much to see what could come between the two of them, but at the same time he couldn't help but feel that it seemed wrong in a way. He had never looked at Melicia in this sort of way, had never even thought about it. She was always a 'kid' to him when she visited her uncle. Howie. His name sent off a red 'stop' in AJ's mind. But the kiss...

Melicia sighed, falling onto her back in frustration. "You know, if it feels right when you kiss someone, you shouldn't think it's wrong."

"I..." AJ began to say, but no other words were produced. Melicia's words struck him.

"How does it feel when we kiss, AJ?" She asked, not calling him Alex.

AJ sighed. "Melicia, if you're uncle ever found out-"

"I know, we would be dead," she turned her head towards him. "But if we're careful, he won't find out."

"How do you know you really want this?"

"I just know. Will you trust me on that?"

"I wish I knew when you grew up so much," AJ mumbled, letting out a loose breath. He glanced down at Melicia where she lay on her back, staring at the ceiling again. He felt himself slowly leaning towards her.

"What did you say, AJ--"

AJ never allowed her to finish as he leaned further down, placing one hand on the bed to her side. The next thing he knew, his lips were pressing warmly against Melicia's and he felt himself drift for a moment. His eyes closed as he deepend the kiss.

Melicia moaned softly into his mouth, returning the kiss. She reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, her nails running along the smooth skin, feeling him shiver.

AJ felt Melicia manuever herself all of the way onto the bed and pull him closer to her. His skin tingled at the touch of her fingers along the back of his neck. "Mella..."

"Shh," she kissed him this time, bringing his body down on top of her's.

"We can't rush things," AJ murmured, almost in protest, but he felt himself giving in to Melicia's persistent kissing.

"It's not rushing," Melicia whispered as they kissed again. When they let go, she felt AJ's lips on her neck right by her earlobe, causing her to whimper in delight.

"Nothing more then just this right now, alright?" AJ spoke between the seconds his lips came in contact with Melicia's soft skin. He was praying to God at that very moment that Howie wouldn't arrive home right then and walk into Melicia's room. Saying it would be a disaster would be an understatement.

"Mm-hmm," was all she could muster before regaining some compure and turning the tables so that she was straddling AJ's hips. Her dark curls were astray and face flustered, but she looked more beautiful to AJ now more than ever.

"Just ki-" AJ's sentence was cut short as Melicia's mouth pressed tightly to his and he felt her attempt to slip her tongue into his mouth. He brought his arms up and wrapped them around her waste, holding her close.

When they let go for a bit of air, Melicia rested her chin on his chest, panting slightly. "What were you going to say, Sweetie?"

AJ caressed Melicia's cheek, feeling his heart flutter. "Nothing..."

She gave a smile before kissing him one last time. "What do you say now about giving us a chance?"

"As long as your unc-"

"Melicia, I'm home!"

"Shit!" They got off each other quicker than lightning. Melicia ran into her bathroom as AJ smoothed out his clothes and made sure he had no lipstick marks on his face.

"Mella! Where ya at?" Howie called as he jogged up the stairs. AJ felt his blood rush as he hurried over to Melicia's desk, grabbed her text book she had been reading, grabbed a pen and attempted to look deep in thought as Howie entered Melicia's bedroom. Howie froze upon seeing AJ in his niece's bedroom, but Melicia was nowhere in sight. "Aje?" he called wearily.

AJ jumped in mock surprise. "Hey, D!"

"What are you doing here?"

AJ had to resist biting down on his bottom lip. "I came over, but you weren't here. So now I'm attempting to help Melicia with her homework. But uh...Anatomy and Physiology was never my strong subject."

"You never took it it high school, maybe that was the problem," Howie shook his head, chuckling as Melicia came out of her bathroom.

"Oh, Uncle Howie! You're home!"

"Yeah, just got here," Howie answered. "Having trouble with your homework?"

"Just a little..." Melicia trailed.

"And I bet Aje isn't much of a help with the subject?"

"No, not at all..." Melicia felt her cheeks begin to turn crimson in color.

"Well, that's something Ana's coming over for, right? Maybe you two can finish it together or something."

"Yeah, I think that was our plan anyways. Are the rest of the guys coming over later?"

"Kev is downstairs and I'm not complete positive about Brian and Nick."

"Well, I think AJ and I deserve a study break. Can you make your famoso quesadillas, tío Howie?" Melicia asked, adding a little bit of Spanish.

"Yeah, sure thing, hon," Howie smiled with a small wink. He still held an unsure gleam in his eyes, glancing between AJ and Melicia before leaving the room to head downstairs.

"Gracias!" she called over him as she peeked out the door to make sure he had left and closed it tightly, hand over her rapidly beating heart. "Close call."

AJ raised an eye brow. "Too close."

"Next time, we'll--"

AJ offered her one last kiss, holding it for a moment.

A silly smile was on her face as they let go. "We'll... damn it, I forgot what I was going to say. Do you have that affect on all women, AJ?"

"So I've been told," AJ grinned in a sly manner before he, too, made his exit from Melicia's bedroom, leaving her behind in her dream world.
Chapter 10 by Starry Eyes
This chap was written by Alex and me. Thanks, Mama!



"Yes, Gram. I promise I won't give Uncle Howie too much of a hard time," Melicia grinned, snuggling deep into the crook of the corner of the couch. Worried Paula Dorough had called to check up to see how her son and granddaughter were settling in since they had arrived in Florida. Melicia felt relieved speaking to grandmother. She had always been an easy woman for Melicia to speak to. "Besides, it should be vice versa. You should be worried about Uncle Howie giving me a hard time. I mean, geez, the guy thinks he's a pro parent already!"

"Melicia..." Paula trailed with a laugh.

"I know, I know. Uncle Howie has been great towards me and I couldn't be more thankful," Melicia replied, sighing.

"He loves you, dear."

"I know, I love him too," Melicia choked.

"But you also know you can call us for anything."

"Of course."

"Unless you decide to go to another party and make some more bad decisions. Then it's still your uncle's job to tan your hide."

"Gram!" Melicia groaned.

"Well, make some better decisions from now on, and I won't have to bring that up again," Paula chuckled.

"It was one time, Gram, and I don't miss doing it."

"Good. So, how was your first day of school today?"

"Are first days of school ever supposed to be fun?" Melicia teased, her voice dripping with sarcasm. She quickly switched her attitude, knowing really that she had no reason to be unhappy with how her day went. "I guess it was a typical first day at a new school. Most of my classes were interesting, except for Anatomy and Physiology. I have a feeling that that class may become a drag. But choir was a blast, and I'm sure you're not surprised that Uncle Howie got me into that class--"

"It runs in the family," Paula smiled, knowing that all of the Dorough children had spent their school years taking a choir class. "And why should you not be singing in school? You have a wonderful voice. You got that from your mother."

"Yeah, I know. While most were having their children speak their words, Mama was having me sing," Melicia laughed as she remembered how happy her mom was when she sang her first song.

"You'll excel well in choir. Maybe you will give us joy in seeing you make it into choir concert your last year of highschool?"

Melicia smiled at the hopeful sound in her grandmother's voice. "I don't know if I can. I mean, it's October and they held auditions for the concert choir last spring before the school finished for the summer. I don't know if I can audition for it--"

"If you really want to, just bring it up to your Uncle and he'll speak to your choir director. He can have some strings pulled."

"I could talk to Uncle Howie about getting into concert choir. It would almost be like breaking a law if I wasn't in it. I mean, all the Dorough kids were in it during high school, right?"

"Yep. Although, your Uncle John nearly got kicked out of it during his senior year."

"No way! What did Uncle John do, flirt with the teacher?" Melicia giggled. Her Uncle John was like Howie, but with a twist of AJ that got him into trouble a lot of the time.

Paula laughed. "Not with his choir teacher. It was his English teacher, sophmore year, that landed him in detention for several days for flirting. As for almost getting kicked out of concert choir senior year, your Uncle John figured since it was his last year, he wouldn't have to give as much of an effort in the class, skipped out on alot of it. Cost him the prized solo he'd gotten the previous three years, though."

"Yikes. He's definitely the wild one in this family... maybe that's where I got it from," Melicia laughed. She heard the door open and guy's voices floated throughout the house. "Oh! Gram, Uncle Howie and the guys are here with dinner."

"What's your uncle making?"

"His famous quesadillas! He and the fellas went to go get whatever he uses to make them."

"A definite treat. Alright, let him know I called."

"I will and I love you Gram. And tell Pop I said hi and I love him too!"

"Love you, too, dear. Adios."

"Adios, Gram!" Melicia hung up the phone and ran into the kitchen where everyone was.

"Hey, guys!"

"It's my Mella!" Brian grinned in a cheezy manner as he pulled Melicia in for a tight hug.

Melicia gave Brian a questioning stare as she pulled away from him. "Wait a minute! What are you doing here?" she asked, noticing that Brian had joined the group that evening. However Nick was still missing. "Where's Nick?"

"The fellas picked me off the side of the road on their way here," Brian joked.

"Don't know where Nick is this evening," Howie answered his niece's second question.

Melicia rolled her eyes at Brian. "You mean Nick is missing? Oooh, I claim his PS2!"

"I don't think we're that lucky to have Nick missing long enough for us to get rid of his video games," Kevin chuckled as he pulled on Melicia's ponytail.

"Hey! Not the hair!" Melicia glared playfully as she swatted at Kevin's hands. That's when she caught AJ's gaze.

She gave a small smile before turning to Howie. "So, do I get to eat soon or do I have to go to Gram and Pops for some food?"

"If you could wait ten minutes, you won't have to go anywhere." Howie rolled his eyes.

"Good!" she smiled and kissed his cheek before leaving the kitchen.

Melicia was preparing to settle back into the couch when she heard a sharp knock on the front door and she quickly hurried over to it, glancing at her watch. It was 7:10, so she was guessing it was Ana on the otherside of the doorway. Unlatching the lock, Melicia tossed the door open and her suspicions were confirmed, with an addition. Ana was standing there with another girl.

"Hey, Clicky," Ana greeted in her laid-back style.

"Hey, Ana," she replied, gazing at Ana's friend before sticking out her hand to the girl. "My name's Melicia."

"The name is Kelly," the girl answered with an amused smile at Melicia's outstretched hand. She flicked a long golden strand of hair over her shoulder, her dark eyes twinkling, still amused. "Girl, it ain't the country south, so you don't need to shake my hand." Her voice gave evident to a rather southern accent.

"Oh! Sorry," Melicia's face blushed a little. "That's how we do it back in New York. I'm still trying to get the hang of the whole Florida thing."

"You're from New York, huh? I moved here about three years ago from Georgia."

"Yeah, just moved here last week to live with my uncle. Of course, everyone knows who he is," Melicia rolled her eyes a little as she let the girls into the house. "But don't bother to tell me they know. Right, Ana?"

"Nah, Clicky. I haven't a clue what you're talking about," Ana answered with a grin as she gazed around for a moment. "Like I said, it doesn't matter to me."

"I know," she smiled as she looked over at Kelly. "I'm guessing you know, too."

"If you're asking if I'm going to freak out and go into a spasm of convulsions..." Kelly joked. "Yeah, I know who your uncle is."

"Mella! Dinner's ready!" Howie's voice called from the kitchen.

Melicia turned to the girls. "Are you two hungry? My uncle made quesadillas."

"We'd hate to impose," Kelly answered.

"It's no imposition, we've got enough to feed an army. Brian, Kevin and AJ are here, too and they eat like pigs. C'mon." Melicia lead the girls towards the kitchen.

By the time the three girls entered the kitchen, AJ and Brian were already chowing down on several quesadillas, while Howie stood in front of the stove flipping several more. Kevin had disappeared from the kitchen, but Melicia soon heard him cursing in the garage, following a loud crash. She winced as Howie paused a moment to look in the direction of the garage. "We probably don't even want to know," she told Ana and Kelly with a smirk. "Uncle Howie, Brian, AJ... this is Ana, my friend from school, and her friend Kelly. Ana and Kelly, this is my Uncle Howie, Brian, and AJ.. .and the one cursing in the garage would be Kevin. But I guess you really didn't need the introductions... argh. Uncle Howie, is it okay if Ana and Kelly eat dinner over here?"

"Of course it's okay," Howie smiled at the girls as Brian and AJ waved, their mouths full of food. "Are quesadillas okay with you girls? There are other things I could make."

"When it comes to mexican food, quesadillas ain't a problem," Ana quickly answered.

"Sounds good to me," Kelly agreed as she, Ana and Melicia sat down at the table. By now AJ and Brian were able to give civil greeting as Kevin came back into the room, his face beet red.

"Having problems out there, Cuz?" Brian questioned, his expressions not the least bit serious.

"Ah, bite me, Bri--" he stopped as he saw the three girls looking at him and trying not to laugh.

Melicia shook her head, stiffling a laugh. "Do we even want to know?" she asked, smirking at Kevin's flushed face.

"No, no you don't," he replied before sitting down at the table. "And who are your two friends, Mella?"

"This is Ana, from my AP class and her friend Kelly."

"Nice to meet you both. I'm Kevin."

"The one having issues in the garage. Melicia told us," Ana grinned in reply.

"Oh, well, thank you for letting them know, Mel," he gave her a glare and Melicia just smiled.

"You're welcome, Kevin." Right then Howie came over with four plates of quesadillas.

"If I go out there," Howie started, first setting plates in front of the three girls. "Am I going to find a disaster area?"

Kevin's face immediately turned grim as he looked at Howie with utter most seriousness. "D, promise me you won't throw a lawsuit my way..."

Howie's eyes grew wide. "Kevin, what did you break?"

"He's in trouble," Brian whispered to AJ in a sing-song voice. The girls giggled as Howie continued to look at Kevin in disbelief.

"Well, you see...there was this," Kevin motioned wildly with his hand. "And then this..." He repeated the same motion. "D, man, I swear to God I didn't see your Vette behind me!"

"MY VETTE?! YOU DAMAGED MY VETTE?!" Howie shouted.

"Oooh," AJ and Brian hissed as Howie blew a gasket.

"Girls, duck if you need to, there might be bloodshed," Melicia mumbled.

"D, it was an accident, I swear!"

"Your uncle is very protective of his Vette?" Kelly stated the obvious.

"You have NO idea..." Melicia mumbled again.

"Kevin, you are SO fucking dead!" Howie ran into the garage to see what happened.

"Dude, what happened out there?" AJ asked as the house was silent for a moment.

Kevin leaned back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest in accomplishment. "Nothing," he stated casually, rather amused at what he'd just pulled off.

"Nothing?" Brian clarified.

"Nothing," Kevin repeated.

"Then why the Hell did--" AJ began.

Kevin just shook his head with a laugh. "Lord knows he'll be occupied out there for a while checking his 'baby' out for the tiniest of scratches when he finds out there is no real damage."

"You mean you planned all that?" Brian asked.

"Yup, every bit."

"I don't know whether to high five you or say good-bye once Howie finds out that you played that trick on him," AJ replied.

"Uncle Howie is going to kill you. You know that, don't you, Kev?" Melicia answered.

"Mexi-fry should be happy that I really didn't hurt his beloved Vette."

"He'll be happy about that once you're six feet under," she quipped, taking a sip of soda.

"Is it like this every day, Clicky?" Ana asked before taking a bite of her quesadilla.

"Just be happy you haven't had to deal with the horror until now."

"I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say I resent that!" AJ protested, shooting Melicia a glance that only she could seem to understand.

"You guys all say that when you can't think of anything else," she replied, shooting him back a glance of her own, taking a sip of her soda.

"KEVIN! TU ERES SUCIO CERDO!" Howie's voice shouted from the garage.

"Dun, dun, DUN!" Brian hummed.

"Mel, I can't help but ask," Kelly spoke. "Has your uncle ever, ya know... gone psycho on y'all?"

"I haven't witnessed it yet, but I think this might be the time," Melicia winced as Howie continued to swear in Spanish. "Once he starts being bilingual, you got something to worry about."

At that very moment, Howie ceased his yelling. Melicia jumped at the sudden silence, cheeks turning red as AJ chuckled at her. She glared in response. Kevin arched a curious eyebrow towards the door that led out to the garage, half a quesadilla raised half-way to his hungry mouth.

"The calm before the storm," Ana muttered, her eyes glinting with humor.

"Hey, Kev, could you come out here please?" Howie called.

"Um, why?" Kevin answered, unsure of whether Howie was okay to be near or not.

"If you don't want that lawsuit thrown at you, you'll be out here in three seconds flat! One--"

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" Kevin got up and went into the garage.

"If Kevin dies, I claim his car," AJ and Melicia called at the same time.

Brian raised his eyebrows at AJ and Melicia, who shrugged in reply.

"HOWIE, IT WAS JUST A JOKE!" Kevin's voice yelled.

"RIGHT! AND THIS IS JUST A JOKE TO!" Howie yelled in return, followed by a shriek of surprise that came from none other then Kevin.

"That wasn't Kevin, was it? That sounded like a girl!" Brian burst out laughing as he got up and went to the garage.

"Well, are you girls coming or not?" AJ asked before following Brian.

"Shoot, Clicky. If I'm to be your friend, I gotta see this," Ana said before jumping out of her seat.

"Your uncle may be nuts, but you're cool. I won't hold it against you," Kelly replied, following Ana.

Melicia shrugged and followed everyone else. AJ and Brian were on the floor, howling with laughter. "What happened?" she asked.

"L-L-L-Look for yourself!" Brian sputtered out, pointing to where the Corvette was parked.

Kevin was on the floor of the garage, tied up and soaking wet as Howie was leaning down to put makeup on his face. "OH MY GOD!"

Melicia shook her head in embarassment as the two girls she hoped would be her first friends gawked at the scene in bewilderment. "As funny as this is," AJ stated after seconds of Kevin's muffled protesting. "I'm worried about the fact that Howie actually had makeup on hand."

"No, you should be more worried that he stole it from his niece," Melicia groaned loudly as Howie placed some eyeshadow on Kevin's eyelids. "That's my good make-up, Uncle Howie!"

"I'll reimburse you!" Howie shrugged, backing away from Kevin and grinning proudly.

"Howie, let me up! Come on, this is 100 times worse than what I did!" Kevin pleaded, trying to get up off the floor.

"And maybe next time you'll think twice about pulling your joke," Howie answered and walked back into the house.

"Brian, help me!"

"Nah, cuz...I think I'm going to go eat your quesadillas."

"Somebody help me!" Kevin called, his face looking like a mix between Anna Nicole Smith and Mimi from "The Drew Carey Show".

"No, I think you're on your own this time, Kev. Sorry," Melicia answered, motioning for the girls to follow her back into the house.

Kevin was left helpless on the cold concrete floor of the garage.
Chapter 11 by Starry Eyes
This chap was written by Ashley, Ana and me. Thanks, girls!



"Oh! So that's what they meant!" Melicia blurted in awe as Ana showed her the definitions her assignment was asking for. The three girls sat aimlessly around Melicia's large bedroom, Ana helping Melicia speed up the progress on their AP assignment while Kelly kicked back on Melicia's bed, flipping through the channels on the television.

"If I were you, Clicky, I would have your uncle get you a computer. Homework goes by alot quicker if you have one," Ana suggested, jotting down a few notes from the text book. She seemed at ease with the subject of Anatomy and Physiology. Melicia was jealous as the subject wasn't coming as easily to her. She was beginning to think that her uncle putting her into the class wasn't such a great idea, even though she had been taking a similar class in New York. This one seemed to be ten levels more difficult.

"I have a computer. Just haven't had the chance to set it up yet," Melicia answered, taking her spiral notebook from Ana. A large box was stacked against the far wall, containing all of the components of her computer, something she knew she would need her uncle's help setting up within the next day or so.

"Good, I was beginning to think you were electronic illiterate," Ana smirked, stretching her arms high above her head and arching her back for a second. She glanced at Kelly, who's attention was completely glued to the flashing television. "Anything good on, Kel?" Kelly produced no answer, instead she continued to tap the channel button on the remote. Ana rolled her eyes. "You like video games, Clicky?"

"Yeah, I have a whole collection of PS2 games," Melicia mumbled in distraction, busily jotting down words in a messy scrawl. She looked up at Ana. "Why?"

"Because Kel is a total video game junkie. Right now, the thing going through her mind is, 'God, I wish I was playing Wakeboarding f. Shawn Murray'... or it could be Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. She's nuts."

"And what's so wrong with playing PS2, Miss Ana?" Kelly drawled as she gave Ana a look.

"Nothing as long as you think there isn't," she replied, clicking her tongue with disapproval. Melicia laughed as Kelly flicked Ana off before staring at the tv again.

"My PS2 is hooked up if you wanna play it, Kel. May as well in case Nick comes over. Then he'll be stealing that thing away from you."

Kelly shrugged. "Nah, that's ok."

"Whoa, what did you just say?" Ana blurted in mock shock. "Did you just say no to PS2?"

"Yes, I did," Kelly stuck her tongue out. "I don't need to play it all the time, you know."

"You got more willpower than I thought, Kel."

"Ah, shut up, Lord."

"Do you two always fight like this?" Melicia asked as she finished her assignment, closing the textbook with an amused smile on her face.
"You ain't seen anything yet," Kelly answered.

"Should I be scared?"

"Very," they said in unison, causing the three of them to break out laughing as someone knocked on Melicia's door.

"Come in," Melicia replied through her giggles as Howie walked into the room. "Hey, Uncle Howie. Did Kevin ever out of the garage?"

"Yes, and we've vowed to make a truce. No damage to my Vette, no more makeup for him," Howie chuckled. "Anyway. Brian, Kevin and I are headed to Brian's to watch movies and AJ is just going to go home. Do you guys want to come with us? You're more than welcome."

Melicia bit down on her bottom lip. "I think I'm going to pass on the offer tonight. Homework's not done."

"Are you sure you'll be alright here by yourself?"

"She won't be by herself, Mr. Dorough," Kelly piped up. "We'll make sure she stays out of trouble."

As Ana smirked at Kelly's southern antics, Melicia could only laugh. "Just keep her from going to any parties and there will be no problems," Howie answered.

"No parties at all, Uncle Howie," Melicia replied, glaring at her uncle.

"Then I guess there will be no problems, huh?" Howie grinned, ignoring the blush that had creeped into his niece's cheeks. Ana and Kelly shook their heads as Melicia continued to glare daggers at her uncle. "Good. It was nice meeting you girls, you're welcome here anytime. Mel, I should be home no later than midnight."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah..." Melicia muttered and quickly turned her attention back upon her text book.

"Bye, Mr. Dorough," Ana and Kelly chirped.

"Girls, call me and the other guys by our names, okay? Well, if you want to make Kevin feel old, call him Mr. Richardson," Howie winked. "See you all later."

"Bye!" he left the room and Melicia waited until she heard the front door slam before she looked up from her book.

"I can't BELIEVE he brought that up!"

"Spill the gossip. You can't say that and not go into details!" Ana declared, collapsing onto Melicia's light blue bean bag chair. Her eyes sparked in interest.

"It happened back in New York. Me and my old friends went to a party the night before I had to leave," Melicia paused for a moment as she pulled her reading glasses off. "Needless to say, there was drinking and yes, I did drink. I just wanted to have fun my last night home, you know? Well... I bumped into this popular Jock from school, his name was Scott. We started talking and I was telling him how I was drinking to forget about moving and 9/11 and... and he had a solution to make me forget about all that."

"A solution?" Kelly asked as Ana slapped her thigh. Melicia knew which one had caught on.

"Scott pulled out a pipe and some weed... needless to say, I got drunk AND high. Before I knew it, the cops busted up the party and I was one of the few who got caught."

"Well, well, well, Clicky is a trouble maker," Ana said with a hint of teasing in her voice.

"Hey, I ain't ever doing that shit again," Melicia immediately added.

"I know what you mean, Mel," Kelly replied. "I tried that stuff before and had the same hangover."

"It's not worth it..." Melicia muttered, tapping at her temple with her pen in a thoughtful manner. "I'm still going to rip my uncle a new one for bringing that up."

"Ah, give him a break," Ana replied with a grin, throwing a pillow at Melicia. "He's just being a parent, and that's what parents do. Bring up mistakes you've done."

"But he's not my parent!" Melicia snapped. The room grew extremely quiet as Ana stared at her with a puzzled expression. Kelly froze with remote in mid-air. Blood rushed to Melicia's cheeks as she sat there, center of unwanted attention. "Whoa, that came out of nowhere..." she trailed, suddenly sick to her stomach.

"Are you okay?" Ana asked.

"Yeah, fine..." Melicia whispered. She immediately turned her back to both girls.

"Mel, if we're going to be friends... you need to be able to tell us things," Kelly replied.

"I don't have anything to tell," Melicia lied, biting down onto her bottom lip. She figured if she bit hard enough then she would be able to forget about her emotional pain for a moment. "I'm just stressed about not getting this AP assignment done for tomorrow."

Kelly raised a light eyebrow. "Well, if Ana would have told me, I would have brought a copy of mine over for you to look at."

"You're in AP?"

"In the afternoon."

"Oh, that's why I didn't see you in class."

"Yeah, that would explain it," Kelly clicked her tongue with a smirk. "Quick one, aren't we?"

"Funny..."

"Well, I thought so," Kelly looked over at the clock and saw it was 10:30. "Crap! I told my mama I was going to be home right now."

At least you still have your mama... Melicia thought with a shielded hateful glare. She willed her tears to keep at bay.

"C'mon, Kel, I'll take you home," Ana got up from her spot and looked over at Melicia. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine...as long as I get this damn assignment done," Melicia answered.

"Okay, well, call me if you need help. Or just come right on over, my dad's out of town again."

"When is he never..." Kelly muttered, hopping down from Melicia's bed.

"Can it, Kel! Like your father is any better!" Ana hissed, snatching the keys to her hummer from the desk. She glared daggers.

"Sorry, sorry," Kelly replied as they all headed down to the front door.

"See you tomorrow morning, Clicky?" Ana said, stopping at the door.

"Bright and early, Ana," she sighed heavily. "Hopefully I'll have this AP figured by then."

"If not, I'll bring you a copy of mine and you can copy it in your own words on the way to school."

"Alright, thanks," Melicia finally gave a smile. "It was great meeting you, Kelly."

Kelly nodded.

"Later," both girls replied in unison and left Melicia to go back to her hell-given assignment.

*****

"J, it's not a big deal. Mella went over to Ana's for a few hours. She said she just wanted to hang out. Besides, it's the weekend. Let the girl be around someone her own age with a higher IQ than what you manage," Howie teased lightly as he tossed AJ a soda from the fridge. He had expected AJ to agree, but he simply stared at the frantically scribbled note Melicia had left stating her plans. Frankly, Howie was impressed that Melicia had so quickly connected with Ana. He hoped that both girls would be able to heal each other's pain manifested by the horrid attacks during 9/11 that had left them motherless.

"AJ? Hello, anyone there?" Howie called, waving his hand in front of AJ's eyes. "I dissed you and you didn't say anything."

"What do you really know about Ana, anyway? What if she's over there having a wild party and you're completely oblivious to the fact. Mel could be over there with GUYS or something!" AJ blurted with a heated look plastering his distressed face.

"Do you really think Mel would do that again after what happened in New York? Damn, J, you sound as bad as Kev. Besides, it wouldn't hurt her to meet some guys, either."

"She doesn't need any guys to distract her!"

"Guys distract her from what? Jeez, you're sounding like a jealous boyfriend or something," Howie raised an eyebrow as they walked into the living room.

"From getting into a good college," AJ mumbled, fishing for his keys. He knew he was overreacting, but he couldn't help it. He had gone too far with Melicia to turn back.

"She knows better, AJ. That girl is like her mom, and nothing can distract her from getting what she wants..."

"Isn't that the damn truth," AJ muttered, remembering Melicia's fiesty nature when it came to their kisses.

"What was that?"

"Huh? D, I think you're hearing things."

"J--"

"Look, I got to get going anyway," AJ interrupted, deciding that he would visit Ana's home just to be safe.

"Oh, okay," Howie replied, still not understanding the younger man's attitude. "We got another quick meeting with management tomorrow afternoon. Don't forget."

"I could never forget our wonderful meetings, D."

"Yeah, I note the sarcasm," Howie rolled his eyes as AJ headed to the door. "See you tomorrow."

AJ said nothing more as he dashed out the front door. He acted like he was walking to his car until Howie closed the door, and then he made a mad dash for Ana's home. AJ found himself utterly surprised at the size and lavishness of this home. He had met Ana briefly, but still assumed that she didn't exactly fit into the picture of white marbal pillars with picture bay windows and large creamy white doors. Nonetheless, AJ pressed forward, noticing the Hummer parked neatly before the garage. He quickly assumed that it was Ana's father's vehicle as he tapped loudly on the large doors, only to hear the faint blasting of 80s music. Instantly, the door opened and AJ was greeted by a maid. "I need to speak to Ana and Melicia."

The maid motioned toward glass doors at the opposite side of the large corridor, but said nothing. AJ cursed under his breath, immediately jogging down the large hallway. He burst through the sleek doors to be greeted with the reminents of a party. His anger boiled overboard when he noticed that Ana and Melicia were the only girls on the property. Ana stood amongst a throng of overly-sexed boys, dancing and singing in a skimy bikini to her collection of 80s music. AJ's eyes quickly darted to see Melicia sitting amongst a group of boys in the hot tub, laughing.

"What the Hell..." AJ stormed over towards the hot tub. "Melicia!"

Melicia's eyes darted upward briefly, catching AJ's blistering glare. She immediately jumped out of the hot-tub, reaching for a large beach towel. It was obvious that she had borrowed one of Ana's bathing suits, because Howie have never allowed Melicia to galavant around in a palm tree printed, string bikini. Melicia seemed obviously embarassed as she pulled AJ to the side, listening to the guys snicker behind her. "What's your problem? Ana just invited a few of her friends to hang out for awhile."

"And all of her friends are GUYS? Don't you think your mothers would be ashamed to see this going on?!"

Melicia allowed the last comment to slide, knowing that AJ was simply jealous. She wrapped the towel tighter around her shoulders, rolling her eyes toward him. "Alex, yes, all her friends are guys. She has one girl that's a close friend, Kel, but she went shopping with her dad today. Ana's a floater, but her best friends are guys. It's not a big deal!"

AJ never replied to Melicia's comment, because Ana came dancing over. She rocked her hips to the beat as she settled one of the guys' cowboy hats on her blonde pigtails. She wore a cherry-printed, string bikini, exposing her own well toned and tanned body. AJ had never felt such rage before as Ana sang beautifully, looping her arms gingerly around Melicia's neck, "Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet, little miss ah innocent sugar me! Pour some sugar on me! Oh, in the name of love..." Ana held her famous impish smile as she glanced over to AJ. "Hey, Mr. McLean, good tunes, huh?"

"What do you think you're doing? You two are 18 years old having a party full of boys with no parents around!"

Ana's impish smile seemed to fade dramatically when AJ pulled off his sunglasses. His eyes seemed to smolder with every emotion embedded in his heart. Ana's usually laid-back frame became instantly stiff as she glanced at the man. "Dude, they're all my friends. It's not a big deal."

"It is a big deal, Ana. Things happen when girls are outnumbered by the boys; I should know. I'm going to assume that your mom and dad don't even know about all these friends, right?"

"Father knows that I keep a handle of friends around at all times while he's out of town, which is usually all the time. He doesn't care what I do, as long as he doesn't get a call from the paramedics or the police saying I'm in either of their custody. And whatever my mother thinks doesn't count," Ana replied somewhat offensively. Melicia felt her cheeks burn crimson when she noticed an unfamiliar flicker of emotion pass through Ana's emerald-sapphire eyes.

"And why wouldn't it--"

"Alex, just don't--" Melicia tried.

"No, Melicia. I want to know why Ana's mother's opinion doesn't count! Because, her mother should be absolutely ashamed at this type of behavior--"

"My mother's dead, that's why her opinion doesn't count," Ana growled. Her eyes immediately turned to a brilliant and frosty blue, as if she had been possessed. She crossed her arms against her blossomed chest, causing the guys at the party to become wary. Usually, Ana never spoke out against anything; she was too laid back to care what others thought. Yet, Ana stood her ground in a highly defensive manner. "So, please, Mr. McLean, continue about how my DEAD mother should be turning over in her grave with shame."

AJ's eyes grew wide in surprise. "I, I didn't know she was... I'm sorry--"

Ana's haunted eyes were colored with hatred as she reached down and grabbed Melicia's shoes. She hurriedly pushed them into Melicia's hands, guiding both her and AJ to the door front door. Hurriedly, the maid pulled open the door, allowing Ana to push them both outside. Her face was taunt with pain, as if struggling to hold her tears back. "Don't you ever critisize my parents or how they raised me, Mr. McLean. I have a straight A average in my high school and I'm well in the top twenty of school. I am perfectly behaved and my mother would be quite proud of me. You, on the other hand, should bite your tongue more often. I don't care who you are, because you have insulted me and my family greatly. Now, please, excuse me, because I have a large orgy with several men to take care of before they get cranky and demand that shots of tequila and weed be passed around."

"Ana, wait--" Melicia tried to speak but Ana slammed the door in their faces. She rounded on AJ, anger and hurt burning through her. "YOU FUCKING BASTARD!"

AJ was absolutely stunned as he heard the music become louder than before. He attempted to reach out to Melicia, but she shoved him back. AJ stumbled a few steps in absolute surprise. "I didn't know her mother died! What the Hell did you want me to do?"

"How about not coming over in the first place! What the Hell's the matter with you, coming over here when I'm trying to make friends! It's not like you don't have lady friends or anything! God, I can't fucking believe you said that."

"Her mother--"

"Died in 9/11! Her mother was on one of those planes that hit the towers! Her mother called her just before the flight took place. She heard the men shouting and her mom screaming that she loved her! You have no idea what the Hell that's like! And her father is gone almost every week! She's lucky if she gets to see him for an hour during the entire month! She does what she has to do to thrive. She likes to have friends over at her house constantly so she doesn't bottom out! She's so easy going and probably one of the best friends I could ever make. She's smart and she has singing talent. She was going to help me get into the talent show by doing a duet with her. You RUINED everything! How can you be so inconsiderate!"

"Melicia, I didn't know. I'm sorry, okay!"

"There's no way that a sorry can cover what the Hell you just did in there! Saying that her mom should be ashamed, Hell, Alex, her mother should be proud! That girl is so level-headed that it's hard to see her as a normal teenager! Then saying that my mom should be ashamed of me! Go to Hell, okay? Just go straight to Hell. You ruined one of my greatest friendships that I could hope to make. I hope your proud, because now I can spend all of my miserable time with you, fufilling your needs," Melicia sneered snottily, walking toward her uncle's home.

"Wait a damn minute!" AJ went after her, grabbing her arm and made her face him. "So, you're saying I should have thought it was normal to see you in the hot tub with all those guys when just earlier you were saying you wanted to be with me? I got jealous. I'm extremely sorry with what I said about your mom and Ana's, I shouldn't have. But don't think I won't get like that when I care for you like I do."

"Go to Hell, okay? Just go to Hell!" Melicia burst, unable to hear his side of things. She ran into her uncle's home with AJ following closely behind. Without hesitation, she faced her uncle. Her sapphire eyes were heated with a fury of passion. "ANA FUCKING HATES ME BECAUSE OF THAT ASSHOLE!" she cried, unable to handle the pressure building on her chest.

"Huh?" Howie asked, completely dazed.

"HE FUCKING STORMED INTO ANA'S HOUSE AND STARTED YELLING AT US ABOUT HOW OUR MOM'S WOULD BE ASHAMED OF US!"

"For what?" Howie asked, giving AJ a hard look.

"Okay, to let you know... Ana has a lot of friends and they're guys. BUT," She continued, noticing Howie was going to object about that. "They are really nice guys and would never hurt a girl. She invited some over to her house, you know, so I can get to know people at school. An innocent pool party, Uncle Howie--"

"SHE WAS IN A HOT TUB WITH GUYS SURROUNDING HER!" AJ interrupted.

"GUYS WHO ARE MY FRIENDS, DICKLESS!" Melicia spat back.

"Melicia--" Howie tried.

"No! Don't even try it!" Melicia fumed, immediately retreating to the steps. She stomped up each step with a new fury, screaming loudly, "ANA WAS THE GO-TO-CHICK IN THE HIGH SCHOOL! EVERYONE LIKES ANA! WHEN THEY FIND OUT THAT I TURNED AGAINST HER - I'M GOING TO BE FUCKING STONED TO DEATH! NO ONE WILL WANT TO TALK TO ME AFTER THAT! AND KELLY PROBABLY WON'T EVEN TALK TO ME ONCE SHE GETS THE NEWS FROM ALL OF ANA'S FRIENDS. NO! I'LL BE THE FIRST TO GET HOG-TIED BY KELLY WITH AN APPLE STUFFED DOWN MY THROAT AND ROASTED ON HER BARBIE-Q, WHATEVER THE HELL THAT IS!"

"I'll go talk to her!" Howie called up, rushing toward the stairs.

"IT WON'T FUCKING WORK! AJ RUINED EVERYTHING! NOW I DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS AT ALL!" She slammed the door, causing it to echo through the large house.

"You just had to go over there?" Howie asked tiredly, collapsing on the nearby couch. He knew that Hell would come sooner than he had anticipated. He also knew that he would have to travel over to Ana's house to sort out some kind of damage control. However, he wanted to deal with AJ first. "Ana seemed like a well-rounded kid when we met her the other day. Why didn't you trust her? And why did you insist on running oer there without even knowing the situation behind Ana?"

"Mel's like my little sister, I don't want her to get into trouble like she did back in New York," AJ tried to defend himself without blurting out all that he really felt. In all honesty, he really didn't know what made him do what he did, either.

"Now I have to go over and manage damage control," Howie grunted.

"I'm sorry, okay?"

"I can't believe you brought their mothers into this... Jezz, did Mella tell you?"

"No, she didn't! I just... I don't know," AJ sat down, tugging at his spikes.

"I'm considering sending you over to speak to Ana, but I'm not sure I'd get anywhere with that."

"The girl would pobably kick my ass."

"She does seem tough, huh?" Howie asked, offering a faint smile.

"Yeah, but... man, I felt really shitty once I said that about their moms... Ana looked like she was going to cry."

"Her mom just recently died, J. How can you expect her not to cry? Espessially when her father's on the road so much like Mella said."

"But I didn't know in the first place," AJ sighed heavily, looking up at the ceiling. He knew that Melicia would take a really long time to forgive him. "I tried to apologize, but neither will hear it."

"Well, I'll go sort some damage control on Ana. You just plan on kissing Mella's ass, because, under the circumstances, I probably wouldn't forgive you either."
Chapter 12 by Starry Eyes
This chap was written by Ana and me. Thanks, girl!



Howie walked over to the Lord Residence, stuffing his hands deep in his khaki pants. He had no idea how to go about speaking to Ana. It was obvious that AJ had truly damaged Ana's brazen heart. Yet, he stepped forward onto the property, determined to help Melicia. He walked to the garage area to find Ana scrubbing her Hummer furiously with car soap. Oddly, Howie felt his heart flip when he noticed Ana's demeanor. She was concentrating heavily on cleaning her overbearing car, not noticing the soapy water splashing back against her. She wore a white wife-beater atop her cherry-printed bikini, which was soaked and clinging tightly to her curved figure. Her flaxen curls pinned into a bun with wet curls falling down against the sides of her face. Her face was pelted with droplets of water, making Howie unsure as to if she had cried or not. The music blasted loudly as she swayed her hips to the beat. Howie cleared his throat loudly, causing Ana to glance sideways. Immediately, her blue-green eyes were rolled upward. "I'm not having party, Mr. Dorough. My guy friends went home before they had the chance to rape me," she declared quite bluntly, gazing back at her beautiful car.

"That's not what I came over here for, Ana. I didn't even know what was going on until Mel stormed home, saying that AJ ruined her chance to have friends when he came over to your house. I thought he had gone home but instead he came over here. I know he caused a lot of damage, and I just came over to apologize. If I had known what was going on, I would have stopped him from making an idiot of himself and insulting you and your family."

"Look, I don't want to talk about it. I just want to get my car clean so I can go out tonight," Ana decided, soaking the large sponge back into the bucket of soap suds. She pulled it out and sopped it heavily onto her purple rims. "And tell Mr. McLean that my mother's grave isn't stirring because she's at peace, because I go out to have fun, not to dope up like other idotic teenagers."

"I understand that it's hard to talk about that. Mel's mom was my sister, so I know how you feel--"

"No, you don't know how I feel," Ana interupted, holding her soapy hand up to stop him.

Howie sighed. "Okay, stupid thing to say. I haven't lost my real mother. But Sarah was the one who really took care of me when I was a kid, and it hit me just as hard as you or Melicia when you lost your mothers."

"Did your mother call you with a knife to her throat, fighting like a tiger just to get home to hear you sing your first solo as a Senior? Did you hear your mother's screams as she crashed into that tower, probably with the knife slicing her throat, screaming she loved you? No, you didn't," Ana replied quite forcefully without any emotion. She sighed heavily, pushing her forearm tightly against eyes to block any tears that might have slipped. Once she regained composure, she hurriedly pushed the sponge against the purple rims. "I understand that Clicky is upset with her mother's death and I understand that you are just as upset about what happened to your sister. I sympathize completely with you, but I don't feel like talking about it. I'm over what happened, alright. Just let it stay back in the cemetary with her body."

"Okay, okay. That's fine," Howie replied softly. "I just wanted to let you know that Mel didn't know AJ was coming over here, and she really wants to be friends with you. But now she thinks that you hate her now because of one of my stupid friends."

Ana glanced up, noticing the dark sadness brewing in Howie's soft eyes. She bit down hard on her bottom lip, knowing that she might have been too foward. Her father had always scolded her for that trait she obviously inherited from both him and his wife. Not knowing what else to do, Ana tossed the sponge onto her car, and wrapped Howie in a quick embrace. As she quickly parted from him, Howie looked absolutely shocked as Ana offered a shy version of her impish grin. "It gets better, you know? I mean, I may be just a kid to you, but I know that you have tons of family surrounding you to help with your loss. I adjusted how I needed to adjust, because I don't have the family support like you do. Just take it easy. It'll come with time; the feeling of peace I mean."

"Th-thank you, Ana," he stammered, feeling his cheeks blush a little. "Are you sure you're Mella's age? You act like you're 24 instead of 18."

"Yeah, I'm positive I'm eighteen, actually younger than Clicky, but I just had to grow up faster than her," Ana replied nonchantly, folding back into her laid back posture, not really noticing the faint blush.

"Why's that?" Howie asked curiously.

"You haven't heard from Clicky?" Ana asked, faintly rolling her eyes. She leaned back down to grab the hose, immediately spraying the suds off her shining Hummer. "I figured you'd be one of those parents to screen every person that walked in the doorway, because you care about Clicky more than life itself. Nothing like my father."

"No, I'm not like that. Mella's like her mom and she's really good judge of chracter. When you and Kelly walked in, I knew my girl would be safe with you two and any other people you knew."

"Even if they're all guys?" Ana asked curiously, raising her fair eyebrows in question.

"As long as y'all weren't having real orgies or something."

"Do you take me for a walking STD? Or just a girl who gets more ass than a toliet seat, Mr. Dorough?" Ana teased lightly, actually considering throwing a sponge toward him, soaking his nice outfit.

"No, no, no!" He was about to defend himself more when he saw the smirk on her face, which seemed to make her face glow under the hot Florida sun. His eyes traveled down her body and back up to her piercing blue eyes.

"I'm a pretty safe friend, Mr. Dorough. You can ask anyone in this neighborhood or even at the school. I'm pretty sure they'd all give you an okay," Ana replied earnestly, "Unless new parents see me driving in The Beast. They tend to label, so I have a laminated report card in The Beast for reference."

"I trust you are a good and safe friend, Ana. A friend I do want my niece to have around."

"Dude, just give me the weekend to sort through my own emotions. I was just fine till Clicky showed up with her Leechy boyfriend, AJ--"

"He's not her boyfriend," Howie blurted.

"Oh, my bad..." Ana replied.

"What made you think AJ was her boyfriend?"

"I don't know, the way he skitzed when she was in the hot tub," Ana replied, shrugging her shoulders.

"Oh. Well... AJ and the guys have known Mella since she was little, so they're all kind of protective of her," Howie explained, thinking about the way AJ was acting before going to Ana's and making trouble. "I think I've bothered you enough. I'll let you get back to cleaning... The Beast, right?"

"Yeah, The Beast," Ana replied, patting the side of her Hummer. "Promised the boys I'd make it nice and shiny before we hit the surf tonight."

"Nice car," he agreed. "Have fun tonight. And again, I'm sorry about what happened--"

"Don't make me think about it more than I have to, Mr. Dorough."

"Okay, fair enough," he gave her a nurturing smile. "Good-bye, Ana."

"Oh, Mr Dorough?" Ana trailed.

Howie stopped halfway down the driveway and turned around. "Yeah?"

"Anytime you want to clean The Beast, be my guest, alright?"

He chuckled. "Alright, Darling."

"Darling?" Ana asked questionably.

"Sorry, I say that with a lot of fans," he blushed a little.

"Well, I missed my generation. I'm more into the 80s. Give me Meatloaf and I'm a happy camper."

"I hear you," he laughed. "See you later."

"Not if I catch you first," Ana replied, focusing intently on her car.

Howie just waved as he walked down the driveway towards his house. "I wouldn't mind that," he muttered to himself.

*~*~*

"Don't hog-tie me, please!" Melicia shrieked in surprise as she felt Kelly catch her upper arm and whirl her around. The girl's blue eyes were wide with surprise as Melicia tried to wrench away. Melicia had decided to walk back to her home from school that afternoon, knowing that come Hell or high water, Ana wouldn't be driving her home. Everyone had given her evil glares at school, because Ana had decided to skip out on school that day. Everyone blamed Melicia and she felt absolutely horrid. "Please! Just tell me what a Barbie-Q is before you get out the lasso!"

"What in the Hell are you talking about?!" Kelly blurted, trying to hold back her laughter as Melicia panicked.

"There's no mob after me, looking to throw my underwear up the flag pole, is there?" Melicia freaked.

"Did you just beam back to middle school?" Kelly asked incredously.

"Have you not noticed the looks I've been getting all day? Everyone hates me because of what happened at Ana's, why wouldn't you, too?"

"Because, I know Ana better than most of the school's population that were passing you awful looks," Kelly answered with a proud smile.

"You mean you're not going to hog-tie me, stuff an apple in my mouth and Barbie-Q me?"

"Were you watching a western last night? Because Georgians aren't like that!" Kelly laughed.

"You're not going to do that to me?"

"No, I'm not. I just wanted to see if Ana called you at all."

"Um, no she hasn't. Why would she? Ana should be hating me and damning me to Hell. Not calling me."

"Ana's not like that and if you think she is, you need to get your brain examined, child," Kelly drawled with a frown creasing across her usually sunny face.

"Well, I didn't know..." Melicia trailed off.

"Ana may want to kick AJ's ass, but she's not gonna take it out on you. Judging by what the guys said happened, she needed time to think. She probably just gone done surfing for the entire day and is driving her Hummer around consulting her memories and feelings. She's not to personable about her mother's death. She keeps it to her self. But, when she wants you, she'll find ya."

"I know how she feels," Melicia sighed, remembering the look in Ana's eyes when she made her and AJ leave the house.

"She might even kidnap you in The Beast," Kelly teased.

"Funny." Melicia smiled a little when a horn honked behind them.

Kelly turned on her heel to see Ana coast up to the sidewalk in her giant vehicle. Ana leaned over, popping the passenger door open on the massive vehicle. Ana's hair was damp as it fell past her shoulders in bunched ringlets. "Get in," she ordered, glacing at Melicia.

Melicia gave Kelly a look before climbing in and shutting the door. "Call me later, Mel," Kelly replied as Ana sped off.

"School a pain in the ass today?" Ana asked, reaching to turn down her CD player. She kept her eyes firmly set on the road as she sped along, pressing a few buttons to select a new CD.

"Yeah, just a little bit. I could have died a thousand times with the looks I got from people in school," Melicia replied honestly, wondering why Ana was even talking to her.

"Obviously, the guys did all the talking. I reemed'em out while surfing, telling them I'd deal with it in my own way. Oh well, I'll straighten it out tomorrow. No more death stares, promise."

"Thanks... look, Ana, I'm really sorry about AJ. He was being an asshole--"

"I think he defines the word asshole, but you don't have to apologize to him. In all honesty, I should have never kicked you both out. I just figured you'd want to be with Mr. Hot stuff, who was obviously reeming about you at an all guy party. Figured you weren't into the jealous type, Clicky, but hey. Just figure it's over with and I don't want to talk about it? I'll tell you the whole story sometime, just not now."

"Alright... um, I was wondering... did my uncle come over at all this past weekend?"

"Yeah, he stopped by while I was cleaning The Beast, why?"

"No reason, I figured he was going to do that... you didn't say anything about AJ acting like my boyfriend, did you?"

"You hiding something from your uncle?" Ana asked point blank, stopping for a red light.

"Well, we were," Melicia sighed, thinking of the pain in AJ's eyes after she screamed at him. "I haven't talked to him since. And if my uncle ever found out, well... let's just say AJ and I would be in the hospital."

"Double dipping in the Backstreet Boy family?" Ana asked with a wry smile, rolling her eyes.

"Something like that," Melicia agreed as the light turned green. "I don't know anymore. If he's going to act like that when I'm with guy friends..."

"You don't want to really hear my comments on Mr. McLean at the moment," Ana replied dryly, taking off down the familiar street. She turned a sharp corner, glancing to see both her and Melicia's home coming in view. Suddenly, Ana noticed AJ coming out from the driveway as she prepared to pull in. Instantly, she slammed on the brakes, causing Melicia to jerk forward in surprise. "I'll just let you out here, I gotta reverse and pick up Dom. He's spending the week at my house while Father's out on business in Europe."

Melicia looked towards her house and saw AJ. She groaned outloud. "Totally understandable, Ana. You're lucky you can choose not to go down there," she grabbed her backpack and jumped out of the Hummer. "Call me later if you want."

"We may be cool, Clicky, but if you took one look at Dom, you could definitely tell that I won't be up to social calling this week," Ana teased.

She laughed, closing the door. "See you later, girl."

"Adi-freaking-os," Ana called, slamming her car into reverse, and then quickly revving into drive as AJ neared.

"What's her hurry?" AJ asked, watching the Hummer hurry into the distance.

Melicia gave him a glare. "GEE, I don't know, McLean. Why don't we talk about her mom again, huh?" she walked past him to the house.

"Hey! Don't give me the cold brush! I want to talk to you!" AJ burst, rushing to catch up with her. He expected her sullen attitude, be hadn't expected her to be so cold. Not after their heated exchanges. He thought she had meant more.

"I can give you the cold brush if I want to!" she spat back. "I can't believe you thought I was cheating on you or something! Those guys were FRIENDS!"

"Fine, they were friends! But I was worried about you! Can't you see that I care for you more than we both anticipated! You can't tell me that you wouldn't be pissed if you found me smiling and chatting with bikini-clad girls in a hot tub!"

Melicia tried to think of what to say in return, but couldn't. AJ was right, she would have acted the same way he had, probably worse because of his reputation with multiple women.

"Well?" AJ pressed.

"Fine, you're right," she muttered. "Still hurt that you couldn't trust me."

"It hurt that you would actually tell me to fuck off."

She sighed heavily, running her hand through her hair. "I know... I shouldn't have said that to you..."

AJ leaned over to kiss her softly. "I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry, too." he pulled her into a hug.

"I'm taking it that Ana talked to you and if she talked to you then you can talk to J?" Howie called, walking into the living room to see the two separate from the hug.

"Yeah, I talked to Ana and we're okay now... I can't stay mad at people long, you know that, Uncle Howie."

"Yeah, I know. Thank God," Howie replied, kissing his niece's forehead. He glanced to see AJ immediately back up from Melicia as if he had been playing with fire. Howie offered his friend an odd look as he collapsed onto the couch, pulling Melicia down with him. "So, you hanging out with Ana tonight?"

"No, not tonight," she replied, resting her head on her uncle's shoulder. "She and her friend Dom are hanging out. Her dad's in Europe for the week."

"Dom as in Dominique?" Howie asked, feeling an unknown emotion bubble in his throat.

She shrugged. "I don't know. Why?"

"I think we're talking Dom as in DOMINIC, D. Remember, no girlfriends in that department, just Kelly and Mella," AJ teased with a smile.

"You're funny, Alex," she chuckled, sticking her tongue out at him. "He's just keeping Ana company. Someone always stays with her in that big house of hers."

"Keeping Ana company in a bed warming type of sense?" AJ asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"As FRIENDS, you pervert, if that. Ana's not like some of the girls I've met at school."

"Maybe you should invite her over here for the week," Howie suggested suddenly, not liking the idea of Ana spending an entire week with a over-sexed boy.

"Why do you suddenly want Ana coming over to the house?" Melicia drawled curiously, eyeing her uncle. Something about his posture alerted Melicia that something deeper might have happened between Ana and Howie. Yet, she didn't know how to approach such a subject.

"I just thought it would be nice to have her stay here. You know, so you two can build a strong friendship."

"You really wouldn't mind having two shrieky girls occupying the home at all times?" Melicia asked, growing quite excited.

"Ana doesn't strike me as the shrieky type, but you definitely do," AJ teased.

"Shut up," Melicia groaned, throwing a a pillow at him. "Uncle Howie, are you serious?"

"Why wouldn't I be serious?"

"I don't know. I just didn't think you'd be the one to want girls hanging around all the time... Unless you were being serious when you said I should hook you up with one of the girls around the block..." Melicia trailed, a newly lit spark flashing against her dark blue eyes.

"Naw, I don't need to hook up with one of your friends," Howie chuckled, his heart fluttered a little at the thought of being with Ana. "I think I would be murdered in my slep by their parents if that happened."

"You might be able to score, D. Ana's dad is never around, right, Mella?" AJ chuckled, loving to egg on his older companion. Yet, he didn't see the nervous glint in Howie's eyes.

"Yeah, but that would be freaky. I mean, she's younger than me!"

"She's really mature though," Howie murmured offhandedly.

"She is," Melicia agreed as she stole a glance at AJ, winking slightly before turning to her uncle. "How about I call Ana tomorrow and ask her?"

"Why not tonight?" Howie asked, completely oblivious to Melicia and AJ's exchange.

"Did we not just mention the Dominic factor?" AJ replied, rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, no kidding," she laughed, nudging Howie in the ribs. "Let her be with Dom tonight."

"You don't think she'll get into trouble with him, do you?" Howie asked, knowing that Melicia was growing suspicious. He just couldn't shake the feeling, whatever it was.

"No way. Ana has really high morals about that stuff. She was telling me last weekend that she promised to stay a virgin until her wedding night... I think that's really cool of her."

"Really? I think it'd be wise if you followed suit," Howie laughed, finding his heart settling back to a normal rhythm.

"Eh, maybe..." she teased with a grin.

"Eh, maybe?" Howie asked worriedly, immediately bringing a hand to cover his heart. He didn't even want to think about engaging in a sexual discussion with his niece. He quickly made a note to call one of his older sisters for recusing if the problem should arise.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding! Jeez, don't have a heart attack," she laughed, kissing his cheek.

"I don't even want to think of you in anything BUT a white wedding dress. Is that comprehendable?"

"Yes, of course it is."

"Alright," Howie chuckled nervously, glancing to AJ. "You staying for dinner?"

"Do you even have to ask?"

"Sometimes I wonder, though, you might have to ask when Ana stays for the week."

AJ winced. "Oh yeah... I still need to talk to her. But I think I'll wait until she's not in that monster car of hers."

"She'd run your ass over," Melicia giggled hysterically, forming a mental picture.

"Don't picture that, Mella!" AJ stuck his tongue out and threw a pillow at her. "I would be an AJ pancake!"

"It would be funny as Hell."

"Not funny--"

"I'm going to go make dinner," Howie finally concluded, knowing that the arguing could take forever.

Once he was in the kitchen, Melicia got up and jumped into AJ's lap. "My own AJ pancake... that could be tasty."

"I'll bring the syrup," AJ answered with a fiesty growl, allowing the temptation to drown out his wariness of danger.

"Sounds good to me," she whispered with a smile as she linked her hands around his neck.

"Just not too far, though, because you need to wear a white wedding dress," AJ teased, kissing the side of her neck.

"Yeah, I know I promised. But, if things happen..."

"You'll just have to marry me, huh?"

Melicia cocked her head in question. "Seriously?"

"Wouldn't you like to know," AJ replied mischeviously, slipping her another quick kiss before scooting out from under her. Melicia toppled face first into the plush couch and AJ scurried out to the kitchen. Melicia heard AJ call to Howie loudly, "So, what can I burn, D?!"

"Hopefully your ass, because I'll pay you back for that, McLean," Melicia mumbled into the pillow.
Chapter 13 by Starry Eyes
This chap was written by Ana and me. Thanks, girl!



Melicia glanced across the street to see Ana occupying a full size basketball court off to the backside of her house. There was a tall man defending the hoop as Ana quickly tried to side-swipe and make a pass, yet he blocked again. Finally, Ana just tackled him. When he hit the pavement, Ana scrambled up to make an easy lay-up. Melicia and AJ heard her laugh aloud as she jumped on his back, declaring her victory. It was an unusal break in Ana's laid back atmosphere. Melicia glanced to AJ with a glimmer of amusement. "I need to go invite her over for tomorrow. You stay here though, Babe, because I don't know what Ana would do to you with Dom by her side."

"But wouldn't it be good to go there now? There would be too many witnesses for her to kill me."

"Can I just invite her over to my house for the week without causing bloodshed?" Melicia groaned in complaint.

"Alright, Mella. I'll stay," he cooed, kissing her cheek.

"I love it when you obey," Melicia teased, hurrying up the large driveway.

AJ narrowed his eyes a little as he watched her. He looked over at the rose bush and he had an idea. Walking over, he took two of them and waited far enough from the court so he could still hear but couldn't be seen.

*~*~*

"KICKED YOUR ASS YET AGAIN, DOM! WHEN ARE YOU JUST GOING TO GET ON YOUR KNEES AND ADMIT I'M THE BEST?" Ana taunted teasingly, leaping onto Dominic's back yet again. The handsome boy laughed, immediately latching onto her bare slim legs. Ana thrust her hands into the air, giving the universal "rock" sign. She whooped in absolute delight, not knowing that Melicia had approached. "And we have another six days of this Dom! Six days of me being superior!"

"I think we have an audience," Dominic chuckled as he noticed Melicia.

Ana glanced to where Dominic craned his neck, smiling impishly as Melicia stepped forward. Ana stayed attached to Dominic's back, pushing him to go forward. She then jumped off his back, smoothing her short jean shorts and knotting her ADIDAS t-shirt above her belly button ring. "What brings you to the ass-kicking court of Anastacia, Clicky?" Ana asked curiously, tossing Dominic a cool bottle of water.

"Nothing much," Melicia replied as Ana gave her a water bottle as well. "I just came over to ask if you wanted to stay at my place for the week."

"Say-huh?" Ana asked in surprise as Dominic reached down to grab the rolling basketball.

"Well, I was talking to my uncle about you being alone this week because your dad was out of town. He suggested to invite you to stay with us."

"He did?" Ana asked curiously, wondering why Melicia hadn't thought of it first.

"Yeah. I had been kind of thinking about it, but didn't say anything because I didn't know if he would be okay with it."

"That's odd. I mean, it's great to offer and all, but Dom's here. I can handle myself for a week with Dom. Hell, my dad's been gone longer than a week before. I'll survive," Ana replied carefully, not wanting to impose.

"Well, I was just going to ask anyways--"

"Ana, don't be an ass," Dominic replied, interupting the two girls. He walked over, pulling Ana to the side. He mumbled a few words in her ear, before pushing her back toward Melicia. Dominic offered his tan hand toward Melicia. "I'm Dom and I definitely think she should spend the week with you and your uncle. She was just talking about how kind and loving you all are. She needs that type of family, even if it's just for the week. I can come up any time."

Melicia smiled and shook his hand. He was definitely a nice guy and very handsome. "Melicia. Was she really talking about us like that?"

"After I gave her a few beers," Dominic joked, pushing on Ana's shoulder.

"Ah, that's the kind of answer to expect from Ana's friends," Melicia laughed before turning to Ana. "What do you say?"

"I think Dom is going to get reemed out on the surf this coming weekend when I drown him," Ana replied, glaring toward Dominic. She really didn't want to impose on Melicia's family. She was better off in her own home. Yet, Dominic didn't seem to mind Ana's scornful glare. He simply offered a sly smile, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

"I mean, about my proposal for staying with us. I thought it would be really fun, we could do a lot of things and you could show me around Florida."

"Ana's fantastic at surfing, have you ever tried it?" Dominic interjected, noticing Ana stall.

"No, people really don't surf in New York," Melicia replied. "But I've always wanted to try."

"Ana, you should teach her," Dominic encouraged.

"Are you trying to kick yourself out of my house?" Ana asked bluntly, poking Dominic squarely in the chest.

"No! I just think it would be good for you and Melicia here to bond."

Ana glanced toward Melicia, offering an apologetic smile. For once, Melicia actually saw a tinge of pink in Ana's tan cheeks. "Clicky, it's not that I don't want to stay with you. I think it'd be freaking awesome. But I don't want to impose. I'm used to my father being out of town. I just invite a friend for as long as he's gone and I'm fine. I just don't want to put you or Mr. Dorough out."

"It wouldn't be imposing at all, Ana! Please, will you consider?"

Before Ana could make her decision, AJ came sauntering into the basketball court. Dominic looked absolutely confused as AJ hit his knees in front of Ana. Her frame stiffened dramatically as he offered a single red rose toward Ana, his head bowed down. The dramatic approach caused Melicia to hold her mouth with laughter. Ana crinkled her nose in confusion as she spoke to AJ, "Are y'all right?"

"I wanted to apologize for the way I acted when I barged in here like an idiot. I shouldn't have and I feel really bad about it. This rose is for you."

"You got that rose from out front, huh?" Ana questioned, actually accepting the rose.

"Well, it was a spur of the moment thing," he replied looking up at her.

"That's my mom's rosebush," Ana answered, letting her fingertips gently glide over the silky petals.

AJ winced, knowing he screwed it up again. "Man, I can't even apologize without doing something stupid--"

"Hey, chill it out, Mr. McLean," Ana called in the middle of AJ's ranting. When he continued to curse, Ana took an extreme measure to cup her hand against his moving mouth. Her blue-green eyes were wide with amusement as their eyes connected. "Thank you for apologizing. And, I love my Mom's roses, I should gather a vase of them more often. Thank you for reminding me."

He stopped rambling and she took her hand off of his mouth. "You forgive me?"

Ana nodded, smiling faintly as she tucked her rose behind her ear. "Yeah, an older guy coming toward me on his knees begging for forgiveness. Yeah, definitely scores in my book. Even if I ain't the romantic type."

AJ smiled back as he got up to his feet. He pulled out another rose and handed it to Melicia, who looked at him in question. "What's this for?"

"Because I should have trusted you in the first place. I'm sorry for acting like an asshole with you, too. I should have never freaked out and came over. That's where the whole entire problem started. So, I'm very, very, very sorry for my attitude. And, this is only the begining, Babe. I'd like to take you somewhere special on Friday," AJ encouraged, kissing her cheek.

A silly smile creeped on Melicia's face as she blushed, realizing Ana and Dominic where watching. "I forgive you. Where would we be going Friday?"

"It's a surprise, hopefully, Ana can cover for us with Howie?" AJ asked, glancing back to Ana for confirmation.

"You want me to hang out at Clicky's house Friday night and entertain her uncle so you two can go cause trouble?" Ana asked bluntly.

"Well, when she puts it like that..." Melicia shifted uncomfortably on her feet.

"We're not causing trouble. I'll just say that I wanted to catch a movie with you and Ana can cover saying she doesn't want to really go. If it's alright with her. It'll be fun, Babe, I promise," AJ encouraged.

Melicia looked at Ana hopefully. "I know it's a lot to ask, Ana. If you're not okay with it--"

"You want me to bond with your uncle? A man I hardly know?"

"Like I was going to say, if you're not okay with it, just say so."

Ana thought about it for a moment, conjuring a mental image of Howie in her mind. She admitted silently to herself that he was handsome and he seemed like a great guy to know. It'd just be like her hanging out with her friends. Ana shrugged her lean shoulders as Dominic pushed on her back, urging to accept. "I can do it, but if you get caught... I'm up and out in The Beast."

"Thank you so much, girl," Melicia smiled. "And if we do get caught, the best plan is to run. But we won't get caught."

"Alright, but what am I supposed to do with the man? Ask him to help wash The Beast?" Ana asked incredously as Melicia jumped into AJ's arms.

"Maybe y'all could come over here and play basketball or something... or go out on his boat."

"Sounds like you're setting me up for a date," Ana muttered with a faint roll of her striking eyes.

"Me? No way... that would be freaky, Ana Banana," Melicia made a face. "You're even younger than me."

"Exactly, Dom's more my type," Ana teased as Dominic seized her up into his arms. Ana laughed in surprise as he hugged her tight, kissing her cheeks. "Why don't I meet you over at your house later, Clicky? Let me finish playing with Dom."

"Sounds good. It was nice meeting you, Dom. Make sure to beat her ass at least once in basketball," Melicia replied with a smile.

"I don't think that's possible, but I'll try," Dominic encouraged, running back toward the in ground pool. Melicia laughed when she heard a large splash, obviously caused by Dominic jumping into the pool with Ana in his arms.

"She's awesome," AJ murmured as he wrapped his hands around Melicia's hands, walking toward her home.

"She is. A great friend to have for sure," she smiled, leaning up to kiss him. "So, where are you taking me Friday?"

"It's a secret."

"But I like knowing the secrets!"

"You'll know the secret - Friday."

"Man. I have to wait that long?"

"Yep, Baby, that long!"

"But it's only Monday!"

"Tough stuff. You have Ana to occupy you till then."

"But--"

"No, no chance."

Melicia sighed. "Fine, be that way."

AJ shrugged his shoulders, knowing that Melicia would become absolutely insane. He kept silent for a few moments, thinking over both Howie and Ana's reactions when consulted about one another. He glanced to Melicia with curiousity. "Did you notice that both Ana and Howie teased you about dating one another? Or was that just me?"

"Now that you mention it... they did, didn't they?" Melicia thought for a moment. "That would definitely be really freaky."

"You mean your friend dating your uncle? Or the age difference?"

"My friend dating my uncle... I mean, if they ever did date and it got serious... my aunt would be younger than me!"

"It's happened before with big families..." AJ drawled, not really concentrating too hard on the issue.

"Yeah, I guess so," she replied, biting her bottom lip as they walked to the door. "Hey, why don't we hang out at your place for a little bit? Just for like 45 minutes or something before Ana comes over."

"Sounds fine to me."

"Hold on, I'll tell Uncle Howie we're gonna head to the store," Melicia ran inside for a minute.

*~*~*

"Wow, so this is what it's like to not have to worry about being barged in on by Uncle Howie," Melicia replied as she pulled AJ down onto the couch, kissing him.

"Yeah, but we're taking it slow," AJ slowly reminded her, succumbing to the kisses. Howie had been so preoccupied with Ana coming over that he hardly questioned them about where they were going. He was more worried about making sure the guest room was properly cleaned and what not. So, AJ and Melicia had skipped out without any disasters occuring. They were free to do what they pleased, but AJ's heart warned him to slow down. Melicia was young.

"I know, I know," she replied. AJ made her feel things she had never felt with the few ex-boyfriends she had left back in New York, and was eager to experiment. It was like he made her forget how young she really was. "Doesn't mean we can't have fun, right?"

"We can have fun. I'm just not pushing the borders, alright?" AJ assured, kissing her gently.

"Mm-hmm," she mumbled, wrapping her arms around his neck. "So... what's my surprise on Friday?"

"That's one thing you're not getting out of me, Missy," AJ laughed, holding her close against his body. The simple exchange of body heat was enough to satisfy AJ.

"Damn it," Melicia cursed. She thought for a moment. "Did I mention that I like to know what's going to happen at all times? Will that make you tell me?"

"Nope, because surprises are highlights of life."

"Well, is it Friday yet, then?" she asked with a smile, running her hands through AJ's locks.

"No, Monday, and you have four more days of school," AJ teased.

"This sucks. I don't want to go to school."

"It's your last year of high school, then you get to make your calls with college."

"I am never going to be done with school," Melicia groaned.

"Or you can sponge off your uncle for life?"

"Well, no, Mama didn't raise me to be that."

"Then don't worry about it, Babe. I kind of wished I headed to college."

"You still can, you know. Lots of people do that."

"I know, but I'm a little busy at the moment."

"Oh, my poor, busy Pancake," she cooed, kissing him again.

"Yeah, just keep pampering me, Babe."

"I plan on it," she smiled before kissing his neck, giving the vein on the side a little attention.

AJ shivered in delight at the small kisses, finally pulling her up to his eye level. He smiled softly, leaning forward to plant a lovely kiss on her lips. "No matter how crazy I am about you. No matter how great of a kisser you may be. You're still not finding out about Friday."
Chapter 14 by Starry Eyes
This chap was written by Ana and me. Thanks, girl!



"Shit... Ana, help!" Melicia called, wringing her hands nervously as she looked through her closet. It was finally Friday and she was getting ready for AJ's surprise. Even though she asked him every day, AJ still wouldn't tell her what would be going on that night.

"Help with what? I'm not exactly the chick to see when it comes to dressing up," Ana teased, sauntering back through Melicia's room. She wore a pair of faded jeans with a simple white wifebeater. Her flaxen curls tossed into a low ponytail. Melicia groaned again when she saw Ana just flop onto the bed without a care in the world. Ana definitely didn't really care about her clothing style, as long as it was comfortable. "You should have called Kelly in on this issue."

"Ahh... there is nothing good to wear in this damn closet and he's going to be here in less than 15 minutes!" Melicia looked around the closet, starting to freak out a little.

"Why do you care what clothes you wear? Dude, it doesn't matter. He's taking you out, not your clothes," Ana replied, pushing upper body upward on the bed with her elbows.

"But I wanted him to see that-- that-- I don't know," she groaned in frustration before grabbing an outfit and putting it on.

"You're way too tense, Clicky. If anything, what's his favorite color?"

"Well, it's yellow," she called from the closet as she slipped on her leather skirt.

"Then wear something with yellow. Guys seem to like that I guess... At least, that's what my boys say when I wear their favorite color, but then I just knock'em to the ground and it ends," Ana laughed softly.

Melicia bit her bottom lip, looking around to see if she had anything yellow. "Aha!"

Ana watched Melicia step out from the large closet. She wore a short leather skirt with a pale yellow halter top. Melicia moved quickly toward her mirror, brushing a brush through her thick black locks. Ana crinkled her nose as Melicia twirled for her. "Did I ever tell you why I don't have many girls as close friends?" Ana asked with a small smile, clapping softly with approval over Melicia's outfit.

"Because you aren't into skirts and stuff?" Melicia teased with a smile as she sprayed on a little perfume.

"That and the girl issues are so trivial. How's my hair? How's my makeup? Do I smell good? How's my butt look? Do you think if I dated Brad that Tony would get jealous and then Steve would ask me for a date?" Ana imitated with a high pitched squeal that most girls in their high school used. Melicia rolled her eyes as Ana collapsed back onto the bed. "Guys are so much easier. You do the dude, you look like shit. And then they go, like you look any better. Then you settle the issue with rough housing."

"Each is to their own," Melicia chuckled, as she brushed her hair one more time. "Whatever they're comfortable with."

"You're definitely more comfortable in the woman department than I am. On the risk of sounding like a Chick, you look really nice."

"Thanks, Ana," she smiled, turning away from the mirror. "And thank you so much for staying here with Uncle Howie. I mean, you don't have to--"

"We're friends right?" Ana interupted.

"Well, yeah, but I've never had a friend who would do this for me."

"Then you must have had some sucky friends. Plus, your uncle isn't too bad looking. I think I can manage one night without a group of friends."

"I still really appreciate it," she smiled as footsteps came up to her room and someone knocked on the door.

Ana and Melicia glanced upward to see Howie enter the room. He surveyed Melicia's outfit, then quickly glanced at Ana's outfit. He raised his eyebrows in wonder at the obvious differences. "What are you girls doing tonight?"

"AJ had invited us both to go to the movies tonight, but Ana said she just wanted to stay here and hang out," Melicia replied. "Yeah, that's why we're dressed so different, Uncle Howie."

"You think I just bum around in a house with these clothes?" Ana asked with amusement, rolling her eyes. "If I was going out with you guys, I'd wear my hair down, but to be dressy, I'd actually let my curls down."

"I'm still learning about you, Miss Ana. Give me a break," Melicia replied, nudging Ana in the ribs.

"You'll have to put in years of effort before you figure out ALL my trap doors and secrets," Ana giggled, Melicia obviously finding her ticklish spot.

"Ooh, I'm going to have to remember to do that if you piss me off or something," she grinned as the door downstairs opened and closed.

"Do you want me to head home, Mr Dorough? Or is it all right if I hang here while they see that idotic romance movie where people fall in love at Wal-Mart?" Ana asked casually, knowing that it was the easiest way to score an invitation from Howie to stay. She really didn't want to butt in if Howie had plans.

"No, no, no, you can stay, Ana. And for the last time, PLEASE call me Howie," he replied, rolling his eyes slightly at her politeness. She had been staying for almost a week and was still calling him Mr. Dorough.

"I just figured that you'd want--"

"Some company? Yeah, I would, thank you!"

"Say-huh?" Ana asked, completely dumbfounded.

"Ah, got ya confused," Howie grinned as there was another knock at Melicia's door. "I said I would like some company tonight."

"But with me? I mean, Dude, I can just run over to my home till Clicky gets back... It's not a big deal. You can call Mr. Richardson or Mr. Carter or Mr. Littrell...." Ana tried to reason as AJ slipped into the room, slipping a silent thumb's up in Melicia's direction.

"I've been with those guys for 8 years now, Ana. I'm not going to have a house guest go back home for a couple of hours until Mel comes home."

"But--"

"Ana, come on. You and Uncle Howie will have fun," Melicia interrupted, giving her a wink. "Besides, y'all can invite the guys and that would be an experience you would never forget."

"I think I'd kick all their asses," Ana replied triumphantly, causing Howie and AJ to laugh. She glanced up with a kind smile, nodding toward Howie. "If you want me here, I guess I can't refuse."

"Great," he smiled back at her before looking down at his watch. "Aje, you guys better get going if you're seeig a movie."

"Well, I was trying to slip in here, but you blocked my way," AJ declared, pushing on Howie's shoulders.

A yelp escaped Howie as he bumped into Ana. "Sorry."

"Uh... Don't worry about it," Ana grunted as Howie caught himself before falling atop her on the bed. Feeling utterly uncomfortable, she scurried out from beneath him, tumbling onto the floor, and then jumping to her feet. She brushed off her white wife-beater, trying to act nonchalant.

"Thanks a lot, J," Howie muttered as he got up from Melicia's bed. "Weren't you two going now before you cause enough damage?"

"What damage?" AJ asked innocently.

"Yeah, try to act innocent," he got up and started to push Melicia and AJ out the door.

"You sure you don't want to come to the movie with us, Ana?" AJ asked, bracing himself against the door for a small moment. He needed to make it believable that he wanted both girls to go. Yet, something about Howie's urgency made AJ a little wary.

"I hate romance, give me blood and guts any day," Ana replied, waving them off.

"Ana may look like a girl, but she don't act like one, J," Melicia teased, poking him on the sides. "Now get going, or we're gonna miss the whole damn movie."

"No wonder she hangs out with guys. I bet she farts and burps with them too," AJ teased as Melicia shoved him hard, causing him to stumble into the hallway.

"And I usually win the fart and burp contests, too!" Ana snapped backward.

"Yeah, she does, but I don't want to be here when that starts," Melicia replied as she continued to pushed AJ down the hallways. "C'mon, you're slow!"

"You look absolutely fantastic," AJ enthused as they hurried down the steps.

"Well, thank you," she smiled as they reached the door. "Bye, Uncle Howie! We'll be back later!"

"Behave!" Howie called.

"Always!" she gave Howie a smile before they walked out the door and into AJ's car.

*~*~*

"So, where are you taking me?" Melicia asked as AJ sped down the street. She smoothed down her skirt for the hundreth time.

"A place that you'll never forget," AJ promised, taking a quick turn.

"Well, I figured that much. It's the night of your surprise and you STILL won't tell me?"

"Did anyone ever tell you that you whine too much?"

"Um... nope!" she smiled, leaning over to kiss him. "I thought it was Nick who whined too much."

"You sound just like him sometimes," AJ replied, rolling his eyes.

"Hey, that's an insult, McLean!" she objected as AJ pulled into a parking lot. Melicia craned her neck to see what it was, but couldn't see as a blindfold was pulled over her eyes. "Hey!"

"A surprise is a surprise," AJ replied, jumping out of the car. Carefully, he walked over to her side, helping her out. He wrapped his arm around her waist, leading her forward.

"I should have known you were going to do that," Melicia smiled as they walked inside the building. Smells of food filled her senses, making her stomach growl with hunger. "When do I get to see where we are?"

"When I take off the blindfold, be patient," AJ replied, kissing her neck before reaching the large table. He helped her sit down and then sat next to her.

Carefully, he leaned over and undid the blindfold. It fluttered down to Melicia's lap as she glanced all around. Her eyes were wide in absolute wonder as she squealed with delight. She sat with AJ at a large unoccupied table and below them was a giant arena. Quickly, horns blasted and the arena began to fill with jousters from Medieval times. "Oh my gosh!" Melicia squealed.

"I'm guessing you like it," AJ chuckled as she enveloped him with kisses of gratitude.

"Hell yes! Medieval Times is so freaking cool. Uncle Howie told me they had a torture chamber. Can we see it? After we're done eating and stuff? I mean, this is absolutely amazing! I love you so much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Melicia gushed, unable to control her enthusiasm.

"Yes to any of your questions, Baby, because tonight is your night," AJ beamed happily, kissing her once more before the jousting began and their table was filled with various foods.

"TEAR HIM UP!" Melicia screamed toward the one jouster covered in red.

"Wow," AJ chuckled before taking a sip of his drink. "Not the squealing type I thought you were gonna be."

"Are you teasing me?" Melicia pouted.

"No, of course not, Mella," AJ cooed softly, kissing her. "I'm just happy you're having fun."

"This is just awesome."

"And there's more to come, the night has just started."

"We staying out late?" Melicia asked hopefully, curling her hands around AJ's hands.

"Definitely," he leaned over and kissed her. "Like I'm going to end this whole night early. You should know me better then that, Melicia Reneé."

"I do, I just wanted confirmation," Melicia murmured when their kiss ended, allowing a graceful smile to compliment her rosy cheeks. She leaned her head against AJ's shoulder, watching two more riders advance toward the jousting area.

"If I could, it would be all night until dawn," AJ kissed the top of her head as the rider in blue got knocked off his horse.

"We could say that we stayed to watch another movie...or got a late dinner..."

"We could..." AJ trailed with his familiar smirk.

"Can we?" she asked, batting her long eyelashes with a smile.

"You really like testing limits, huh?" he asked, leaning over to kiss her again.

"I get it from my dad," she replied with a simple shrug. "Mama always told me he was the risk taker in their relationship."

"It's something that I find really attractive, Mella. No one wanted to take risks with me. Maybe that's why I'm the only one that got my foot run over..." AJ trailed for a moment, causing Melicia to laugh loudly. He shook his head, running his hand along her back. "We're definitely staying out till dawn. We'll face the wrath later... Or maybe Ana can keep Howie too occupied to even notice?"

"The way they were looking at each other... it's a possibility. Her and Uncle Howie have been getting closer since she came into the house."

"Closer? Think he might adopt her since her father is a practical no show?" AJ joked.

"Funny, McLean," she rolled her eyes, nudging his side as a new jousting match began. "Real funny."

"Well, you said they're getting closer. I just assumed..."

"Yeah, yeah, hush up," she smiled before kissing him again. They were just about done eating and that jousting was finished. "So, we've had this fantastic dinner with kick ass entertainment... what's next?"

"You said you wanted to check out the torture chamber, never figured you were the S&M kind of girl."

"Ooh, yeah... well, you didn't start looking at me different until a few weeks ago," she wiggled her eyebrows. "There's a lot of things you don't know."

"You're odd..." AJ drawled, "But I like it."

"Well, I sure hope so," they kissed again. It seemed as if Melicia couldn't get enough physical contact from him. "Can we go into the torture chamber now?"

"Yeah, sure, but why?"

She shrugged. "I think it's interesting stuff."

"All right, anything to intice that heart of yours."

Melicia smiled again as AJ got out of his chair and helped her out of hers. "Thank you so much, AJ."

"For what?" he asked, wrapping his arm around her waist.

"For... for making me feel like I was something special..." she blushed a little. "No other guy I was with before would do this for me."

"You are something special, Melicia."

"Really?"

"True to my heart," AJ promised.

~*~*~

"Okay, I have to ask this now before I go crazy. What's up with the cowboy hat?" Howie finally pondered, watching Ana saunter out to the back yard with her tan leather cowboy, her flaxen curls tied into two braids, and her skimpy, string, cherry-print bikini. Howie tried not to stare at her young figure, fearing that he might compromise his thoughts. He struggled to remind himself that she was Melicia's age, but her personality and beauty was just too tempting.

"My guy friends bought it for me when we found out I was accepted to North Carolina's Duke Pre-Med program. My Momma became a doctor there, so I figured to follow tradition. I was born in North Carolina, then we moved here. So, country born and Florida raised. So, the cowboy hat just fits," Ana replied, sitting down at the edge of the pool, allowing her long lean legs to dangle in the cool water.

"You got accepted into Duke?" Howie whistled in approval. "Congratulations, that school is hard to get into."

"Yeah, thanks, but it wasn't that hard."

"That's being a little modest," he clicked his tongue with a smile. "You should be proud you got in, many kids don't."

"Hopefully I manage to stay in," Ana laughed as Howie sat down beside her.

"I don't think you have anything to worry about," he chuckled. "Sometimes I worry about Mel though, when she heads to college."

"She'll be okay. If anything, I can help her through it."

"I have to say I am glad she got accepted into Duke with you," Howie agreed, pushing on her shoulder a little.

"Yeah, now you'll just have to move with us."

"I just may have to," he agreed with a smile. "Need to make sure you girls are safe."

Ana nodded, knowing that she wouldn't mind having Howie so close to her during her stay at Duke. She quickly refused to allow her mind to retreat to sensual thoughts, so she looked for a diversion. She noticed the basketball hoop set off to the side of the pool. She offered her usualy impish grin toward Howie, allowing her bare shoulder to glance off his tight chest. "So, do you just keep that basketball hoop for show? Or do you actually play?"

"We play on it, especially if it's the five of us," Howie replied, his heart fleeting at their brief skin to skin contect. "But if it's just me, I usually swim."

"You want to take me up on the offer of playing?"

"Sure, sounds good," he agreed, standing up and helping Ana to her feet. "Ready to get beat?"

"Beat from you?" Ana laughed, immediately diving into the deep waters. When she resurfaced, she wiped the water away from her eyes, not really noticing Howie admiring her sleek body. "Hate to break it to you, Mr. Doroug--ah--Howie, but I got skills."

"We'll see about that, Miss Lord," Howie choked out as she slid out of the pool, grabbing her towel and drying off.

"Had to take a quick jump in, the water was utterly fantastic," Ana explained as she tossed her towel to the side. She reached down to tug her ADIDAS on her bare feet, knowing the court could actually bruise bare feet.

"Yeah, I know," he agreed. "Everytime the fellas and I have a break, I almost live in this pool. Ready to play ball?"

Yeah, sure," Ana stated, glancing down at her outfit. She offered a short laugh, reaching over to tug on her wife beater. "I definitely think I might end up setting some clothing trends in high school, walking around in a bikini and sneakers."

"I wouldn't mind it," Howie mumbled to himself as he followed Ana to the basketball court. He immediately picked up the ball and began dribbling up and down the tarmat.

Ana immediately started to jog down the court, following Howie. He started to jump toward the hoop for an easy lay-up, but Ana sprung upward, knocking the ball away. She gracefully landed, snatching the bouncing ball, and throwing it against the hoop for two points. She smiled in triumph as the ball bounced beneath the hoop. "Score two for me," Ana announced with an impish smile.

"The game has just begun, Love," he replied with a wink as she checked him the ball and weaved around her.

"Love?" Ana called in surprise, stalling for just a minute. She groaned when Howie sunk the ball, immediately throwing it back toward her. Ana rolled her eyes, quickly passing the ball between her legs, and backing up. She bounced on her heels, sinking the ball cleanly into the net. "I believe that's three, DARLING."

"If you think you're going to beat me at basketball AND how many terms of endearments we both know, you will lose one of those."

"Okay, I'll just accept beating you in basketball," Ana replied, snatching the ball away from Howie as he jogged toward the net. She turned on her heels, backed up again, and shot. Another clean sweep into the net. "Another three."

"You're like a basketball phenomenon," Howie muttered in awe as she threw the ball at him and he attempted a three pointer as well. The ball sunk in easily. "OH, YEAH!"

"You're still behind," Ana reminded as Howie chucked the ball toward her. "How much we playing to?"

"Umm... 15," He replied as she made another two pointer and then he got a three pointer.

"Fifteen..." Ana murmured, blocking one more of his tosses toward the hoop. She immediately backed up, turned on her heel, and sunk the ball into the net. She smiled in triumph, throwing her arms into the air. "AND THE GAME ENDS! ANA TRIUMPHANT YET AGAIN! KICKING DOM'S ASS, THEN HOWIE'S, IS THERE ANYONE SHE CAN'T BEAT?!"

Howie just stood for a minute, taking in all of Ana as she ran up and down the court; cheering and dancing. "You win, Sweetheart."

"Yes, I did, Weasel!" Ana announced, noticing Howie's odd look. She shrugged her bare shoulders. "It's a term of endearment in my book."

"Oh, okay," he gave her a smile, an idea popping into his head. Taking action before his conscience stopped him, he picked Ana up into his arms and ran towards the pool.

"Hey! Hey! He--" They splashed hard into the deep side of the pool. She resurfaced before Howie, kicking her powerful legs to get away. Yet, he was too fast. Before she could make heads or tails of her location, Howie had pinned her against the deep side of the pool. Her breaths caused her chest to rise dramatically, brushing against his own. Her deep blue-green eyes searching his own with an impish spark. "I'm sorry for gloating, Weas--ah--Babe?"

"I didn't care about the gloating," he panted softly, feeling her chest brush against his. "I just wanted you to see that people can surprise you when they least suspect it."

"And why did you want to do that?" she asked, her back pressed firmly against the cool tiles as waves rippled across her bare skin.

He shrugged, still keeping her close to him. "Just thought it would be good for you to know as you get older."

"That guys will always take a chance at throwing a girl in a white tank top in a pool? Sorry, but I've learned that already," Ana teased, chuckling lightly, trying to make the best of her tense emotions.

Howie gave a smile, wondering in the back of his mind how it would feel to kiss Ana's full, soft lips. Chills went down his spine.

"You're not the first guy to grab me up and toss me in a pool," Ana murmured casually, trying to unlock their eyes.

"Well, I'm not usually this forward with girls. It's more AJ or Brian's thing."

"What are you trying to say exactly?"

Howie was at a loss of words for the moment. He licked his dry lips, clearing his throat. "Well, there must be something about the girl I like ifI can be like this."

"If you can be like..." Ana let her words trail off softly. Her head was growing fuzzy with anticipation. She didn't know what to expect. Never had she been so nervous around a man. Her heart thumped wildly in her chest and she almost assumed that Howie could feel it when their chests connected.

Howie didn't even feel himself lean towards her until their faces were inches apart. His mind screamed at him to stop, but his heart was fighting back and winning for the moment.

"Are you going to kiss..." Ana's words were halted with Howie's lips atop her own. The passion that Howie had bridled against his heart sent strong waves of satisfaction through Ana's body. Her body felt as if Howie had lit it aflame. She instinctively brought her hands up around his neck, crushing her body against his own.

Howie felt an instant connection between them as he softened his lips against hers, resting his hands against the wall behind her. His heart hammered hard as they continued to kiss for what seemed like an eternity.

"I...I figured you were going to do that," Ana whispered faintly when they finally managed to pull apart.

"Did you mind me doing that?" he asked, caressing her cheek.

"No, not at all... I actually enjoyed it," she answered, closing her eyes in hopes to keep the world from spinning around her.

"Good. So did I," he replied, leaning in ti kiss her closed eyelids.

"What about our--"

He silenced her again with a heated kiss.

Ana pushed herself back against him, adding more passion to the kiss he initiated. When they broke off once more, both were panting. "Look, if that's the way you're going to shut me up... I'm going to need a chastity belt."

"I-I'm sorry," Howie whispered, looking into her dark eyes. "I don't know what came over me."

"Attraction?"

"Well, that's a duh," he chuckled.

"I don't know what to say exactly, Howie."

"I don't know, either--"

"I just don't want that feeling to stop," she interupted, leaning up to brush her lips against his own.

Howie wrapped his arms around her and carried her out of the pool, their lips still connected as he sat them down in a lounge chair.

After several minutes of heated passion, Ana finally pulled away. She took several gulps of air, holding a hand to her damp chest. She glanced up into Howie's soft brown eyes, knowing that it was right. "Do...do you even care about me being eighteen? I mean, is this just a once in a lifetime kind of deal? Or is this a chance of lasting kind of deal? Or is this a, you're cute kid, now head home, kind of goodbye?"

"All I see when I look at you is someone I could be with. I don't see your age, and I don't see a kid."

"Do you see Melicia coming out back?" Ana asked in somewhat of a panic.

"Huh?"

"HEY MELICIA!" Ana called loudly, jumping up from the lounge chair. She snatched her cowboy hat, pulling it down over her head to hopefully shield her blushing cheeks. She walked up and threw her arms around Melicia's shoulders, knowing she would at least have to talk with Howie later. "I have the greatest news, Clicky! I managed to swing a duet into the concert, you and me!"

"Really?! No way!" Melicia squealed, hugging Ana tightly.

"Yeah, they want us to do something to dedicate to 9/11. I know two perfect songs that we can choose from," Ana replied, turning Melicia around for a moment. She gave Howie a knowing look, signaling him to at least find her alone later. Howie nodded, giving her a wink as he grabbed a towel and headed inside the house.

"What songs did you have in mind?" Melicia asked.

"Let's talk about it inside, along with other things," Ana decided, grabbing Melicia's wrists. She needed to get away from the scene of what she thought might be a crime. She refused to tell Melicia what happened, knowing that she might be shot on sight. Yet, knowing the dangers of being Melicia's friend and Howie's lover, the worst part was that she wanted the feeling to continue.
Chapter 15 by Starry Eyes
This chap was written by Ana and me. Thanks, girl!




Ana flopped down on Melicia's oversized water bed, kicking her water-logged shoes over to the side of the room. She then stood up for a moment, wrapping her large towel around her slim frame before collapsing back down onto the water bed. Melicia glanced to Ana's obviously soaking shoes, and then back to Ana with question. Ana shrugged her shoulders with her usual impish smile. "Your uncle threw me in the pool after I kicked his ass in basketball, Clicky," Ana answered.

"Ah, I see. Uncle Howie and the guys get competitive like that," Melicia laid down next to Ana.

"Yeah," Ana trailed, hoping her cheeks weren't red.

"So, everything go alright last night here?"

"Yeah, almost too alright."

Melicia raised an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"Well, obviously, about the concert," Ana replied, forcing her calmness to exceed normalcy. She didn't want Melicia to know what happened and she sure as Hell didn't want to believe that it did happen. "They want us to dedicate the song to our moms, so I figured two songs that we can handle. You can choose."

"Oh, alright... what two songs did you have in mind?"

"Mind you, I was born in North Carolina and I'm going to live in North Carolina, so they're both country songs," Ana quickly announced.

"I figured as much," Melicia chuckled a little. "Country music is one of my favorites, anyway."

"We have one of my favorites, which is Toby Keith, Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue. And then Darryl Worley, Have You Forgotten. Both are pretty new and have more emotion than I can probably call forth in the moment."

"Both of them sound like a perfect dedication... do you have the songs so we can listen and choose?"

"Me not bring music when I leave the home?" Ana scoffed.

"Dumb question, I know," Melicia rolled her eyes as Ana hopped off the bed and turned on the stereo.

"Toby first, because he's a definite keeper," Ana announced as the song started to play. Ana sat down on the large oak desk, pulling on her cowboy hat. Without a second thought, she softly began to sing the lyrics, "American Girls and American Guys / We'll always stand up and salute / We'll always recognize / When we see Old Glory Flying / There's a lot of men dead / So we can sleep in peace at night / When we lay down our head..."

Melicia laid there, just listening to Toby's deep voice harmonizing with Ana's. Pictures of the tower falling, knowing her mother was inside, flashed in her mind. Tears brimmed in her dark eyes as the song ended.

Ana glanced over to see Melicia wallowing in obvious pain as the song ended. She immediately tapped the button off, standing up. Her eyes were heavy with unshed tears, but she never let them fall. Instead, she choked them back quickly. "I didn't think that you'd be so... I'm sorry to even suggest you help in the first place... I was just doing it because Mrs. Clark really wanted me to... Maybe you shouldn't help me with the dedication, Clicky?"

"No, I'm alright," Melicia rubbed her eyes. "I want to do this dedication."

"Clicky," Ana took another deep breath to completely sink the sob rising in her throat. "I should just tell Mrs. Clark to check it out the door--"

"NO!" Melicia blurted. Her cheeks turned red as Ana took a step back.

"Maybe I should go," Ana replied softly, obviously hurt.

"Ana, no, wait. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell. I just... I really want to do this."

"You're upset, though, I mean, I should give you time..." Ana replied, taking another step back. She paused for a moment as if reading Melicia's mind. She could see the look that most gave her when they saw her smiling with her friends. "I'm upset, too, Clicky. I cry every night for my mother. I have nightmares that I'm on the plane with her. Don't think I don't care for her and that I didn't love her. Okay? I just don't want to cry, because I won't stop."

"I understand you're hurting, too. I just... I don't like being alone, Ana. You're the only friend I know who is feeling the same pain I do. Please, don't leave just because I was stupid and yelled at you."

"Clicky, I--"

"Please, Ana. Don't go."

"You have your uncle and AJ--"

"Who have no idea what it's like to lose their mom."

"I just don't want to step where I won't be wanted, it'd be like dating your uncle," Ana blurted without any thought.

"Dating my WHAT?" Melicia asked, trying to clarify what Ana just said. She forgot about her mom for a moment.

"Huh?" Ana asked in confusion.

"You said something about dating my... uncle?"

"Just hypothetical, you know?" Ana replied, slowly easing her way into a tale of fiction. Her father was a natural liar or a lawyer most labeled it. It came natural when she felt like it. "Would you honestly want me dating your uncle? Which has worst chances than Hell freezing over."

Melicia shrugged. "I don't know. I would be a little freaked, but I can't say anything about it because I'm with his best friend."

"But, it's dangerous territory, just like when it comes to talking about 9/11 with us. Just somewhere that people don't want to step. Which is why I think I should just let you calm down for the night---"

"Ana, for the last time, I don't want you to leave tonight."

"But--"

"Please, I don't want to be alone," Melicia begged.

Ana bit down hard on her bottom lip, knowing that Melicia desperately needed her. Without though, she jumped into Melicia's bed, throwing the covers over both her and Melicia. Immediately, Melicia leaned her head on Ana's bare shoulder. "I know the perfect way for you to have sweet dreams and relieve all the tension you feel about your mom, Clicky. And, you're going to love me forever for it," Ana soothed, instinctivly running her fingers through Melicia's locks like her mother used to do with her.

"Really?" Melicia whispered, her eyes getting heavy with relaxation as she felt Ana's fingers run through her hair. "What is it?"

"You tell me everything that you can possibly remember about your mother. All the happy times and all the sad times. Just everything. I wrote everything I could think about my mother right after the funeral... Made me somewhat more relaxed, but I think if you could tell someone everything that you might heal a little better than me. Sound good, Clicky?" Ana murmured softly.

"Yeah... alright," Melicia thought for a moment, thinking about her mom.

Ana watched Melicia close her eyes, slowly starting to conjure pictures of her mother's memory. Within a few moments, Melicia started speaking with no direction. Random thoughts bubbled to the surface as she told Ana every intimate detail of her life. Ana just listened intentively, continuing to run her fingers through Melicia's curls, praying that Melicia would be able to reveal her feelings instead of bottling them in her heart like Ana was used to.

*~*~*

Ana found herself outside Howie's bedroom door before she actually realized the consequences for her actions. She had lulled Melicia into a perfect sleep with dreamy images of her late mother. Ana knew that Melicia was greatful for Ana listening to everything she had to say. Not once did Ana interupt. And, when Melicia drifted away, Ana tucked her in and prepared to walk into her the guest room, but hesitated at Howie's door. She took a deep breath, tapping softly on the door. She refused to let her brain make the judgement, just once wanting to follow her passionate heart.

She was just about to leave, thinking Howie had fallen asleep when the door opened. "Ana... hi," he replied, clad in dark blue boxers and white wifebeater.

"Oh shit," Ana wheezed, her brain finally making a connection with her heart.

"Are you alright? Here, come in," he opened the door more to let her inside.

"I just realized that I probably shouldn't have knocked on your door. I just got Melicia to sleep peacefully and I probably should be doing the same. But then I thought about the kiss... And that was stupid because you probably forgot about it. I'm still in my bikini of all things. My shoes are wet... And I'm a complete moron, so I guess I'll see you in the morning," Ana rambled almost incessantly, turning from the open doorway.

"Wait a second, Ana," he reached out and grabbed her arm.

"What'd I do?" she asked, almost like a fearful child.

"Nothing bad. Just come in and talk with me," Howie replied kindly as he brought her into his lavish room.

"What do you want to talk about?" she asked, pausing at the threshold of the room. She was amazed to find it filled with a creamy laid back style, nothing too exotic, but still beautiful.

"About this afternoon," Howie went and sat down on his bed. He patted the spot next to him, smiling at her. "I know it's been on your mind like it has for me. I mean... what do you feel about it?"

"What I feel about it or what I think about it?" Ana asked, hesitating before sitting down beside him. Instinctively, she brought her feet beneath her to sit.

"Both," he replied simply, running a hand through her locks.

"I wanted that kiss more than I thought I would. At first I thought that it was a mistake, because so many things were riding on it. But it felt right. It felt good. It felt like I should be feeling at this stage in my life. And I ended up feeling something that I haven't felt since my mother died - love."

"I know what you mean. Ana, what I felt with you when we kissed... I've never felt that with any girl I've been with in my life. Many people would tell me I'm wrong to think this about you and I - but I don't care what they say, because it feels right to me."

"But Melicia--"

"Will freak out if she caught us. I agree with you. But... if we just take this slow, and see where it will go... we can talk to her about it."

"You invite me into your comfy bedroom to tell me to take it slow?" Ana teased, trying to ease out her tense thoughts. No matter what happened, she always make the best of the situation by making it amusing in her own mind.

"Well, I--" Howie stopped, chuckling at the fact. "I'll be damned, you're right..."

"Trying to be my teddy bear?"

"Only if you want one," he replied with a smile, leaning in to kiss her.

Ana fell back against the bed, bracing herself by the elbows. She continued the kiss, spicing up the intensity. She didn't want to feel so hollow anymore and Howie was giving her the chance to be free. She allowed a smile to grace her lips when they parted for a moment, Howie's forehead resting against her own. "I definitely haven't felt love like this... And, I haven't felt so complete since I buried my mother..."

"I'm glad I can help you feel love... but you know your mom is right here," he rested his fingers on her chest. "in your heart."

"I shouldn't even be talking about love with you anyway. One stupid kiss..." Ana murmured, suddenly stiffening. She couldn't believe that her mother was inside her heart, because she felt so alone. And if her mother were collected in her own heart, the pain and abandonment would cease.

"So you think us kissing is stupid?"

"No..." Ana hesitated, knowing she was making an idiot of herself. "I just don't think that I should use the word love, because it's a serious word...and...you said not to rush things..."

"Love means a lot of things, Ana."

"And what does it mean to you when you look at me?" Ana asked point blank.

"Honestly?"

"Yeah."

"The love I feel when I look at you... it's something I think can grow and lost us a lifetime."

"A couple kisses and you declare a love that lasts a lifetime? Are you like a dream come true from one of the chicky's romance novels?"

Howie shrugged helplessly. "I just have that romantic soul."

"And you want a girl who doesn't even go to romance movies?"

"You know what they say. 'Opposites attract'."

"More so than expected," Ana murmured, feeling Howie press his lips against her own once more. She sighed contently against his warm lips, allowing her hands to link around his neck, pulling him close. "I've decided," Ana stated quite suddenly when they silently parted.

"Decided about what?" Howie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You can be my teddy bear," she said with her impish smile.

"Good," he smiled, kissing her again.

"So, we're definitely doing this?"

"Indefinitely," he agreed, pulling her into his arms before falling back onto the bed.

Ana covered her mouth to keep from shrieking in surprise. Howie smiled as Ana settled overtop his body. It felt so perfect as if they were made to fit. Ana took a deep breath, kissing his forehead. "I should probably get back to the guest ro--"

"No, not yet," he gave a sly smile before pulling her lips against his.

"You holding me hostage to your bedroom for the night?" she asked incredously, accepting yet another kiss.

"I may just have to do that," he agreed. "we could just wake up before Mel does since school's tomorrow anyway."

"Are you serious? You want me in here tonight? I mean, with everything? And?"

"Yeah, I am serious. But, if you don't want to--"

"No, I'd like to, but I just can't help thinking that you'd kill Clicky for the same thing..." Ana hesitated, knowing with all her heart that she wouldn't mind spending the night cuddling against him. It had been so long since she had actually felt like a part of something. So long since she hadn't felt alone.

"I would never have to do that with Mel, because she doesn't feel for any of the guys like that," Howie replied, caressing her cheek with his thumb. "Stay the night? Please?"

"Cuddling next to you would be fantastic. I've been alone for a long time..." Ana pondered, chewing on her lip with question.

"You don't have to be alone anymore, Ana," he whispered, leaning in to kiss her.

"But, what about--"

Howie gently placed his hand over her mouth. "Shh. Stop worrying."

Ana quickly pulled Howie's hand away from her mouth, kissing it before she placed in against his chest. She then sat up, straddling his hips. Howie's eyes glittered in surprise. She pointed to her wardrobe. "I can't sleep in this. The bikini will ride up!"

"I wouldn't mind--"

"Howie!"

"What?" he asked with a smirk.

"No sex till I'm married," Ana scolded.

"I know, I know. I'm teasing. You can borrow some of my clothes for the night."

"I can just go get--"

"Are you always so argumentive?" Howie groaned teasingly.

"Would you like me any better if I wasn't?"

"No, it's what makes you cute."

"Okay, you can get me some of your clothes then," Ana chirped with her usual impish smirk, still sitting on him.

"How am I able to get you clothes if you're still sitting on my hips?"

"I thought you liked me here..."

"That's a duh right there, Honey," he kissed her softly. "But how can I get you clothes?"

"Alright, go ahead," she answered, sliding off.

"Without a fight?" Howie asked, hesitating a minute.

"I need clothes and Hell, I just might keep them," Ana laughed.

Howie chuckled, kissing her forehead as he got up and went into his large closet. He found a white wifebeater and purple boxers before coming out. Ana was about to speak when he threw them at her and the boxers landed on her head.

"Somehow, that could have been a little more perverted than anticipated..." Ana murmured, quickly pulling them away from her face. She jumped off the bed, trying to hide her obviously reddening cheeks. She felt like an absolutely different person around Howie. Never had she let her guards down so dramatically, yet, she trusted him more than he would ever know.

"Could have been," Howie agreed with a smirk.

"Typical guy response," Ana rolled her eyes.

"You're around them long enough, huh?" Howie teased, collapsing down on his bed.

"Am I supposed to change in front of you, Master? Or am I allowed out?" Ana teased right back, her blue-green eyes glittering impishly.

"You can go wherever you want to change."

It only took Ana a few minutes to change in the bathroom. When she opened the door leading to Howie's bedroom, he was floored. She had pulled her blonde curls back in a low ponytail, allowing her beautiful facial features to glow. His purple boxers and wifebeater hung loose around her slim frame, allowing him to dream. Ana hesitated for a moment, noticing Howie's obvious stare. "Something wrong?"

"No, not at all. You look... wow..." he breathed.

"It's just your clothes," Ana murmured, blushing yet again.

"There's something about you that makes my clothes look... you have me speechless."

"So that means I can keep them?" she asked with a confident smile, diving onto the bed, almost landing on top of him yet again.

"Of course you can," he reached over and pulled her on top of him.

"You definitely like me a lot," she laughed, leaning down to kiss him.

"I definitely do," he grinned, kissing her again.

"So, I'm a definite keeper?"

"Yes, you are."

"Even if Clicky kicks me out of her life for doing the unthinkable?"

"Even if all that and more happens, you're still going to be my girl."

"Just don't make me bury my heart alongside my mother," Ana murmured, more to herself than Howie.

"Hey..." Howie made her look into his eyes. "I'm never going to hurt you. Okay?"

"Alright, I guess I'm just tired," Ana stated, shrugging it off. "Some people have to go to school tomorrow before Duke decides they're not wanted any more."

Howie nodded, pulling down the covers and crawling under them. He held his arms out to Ana, who immediately cuddled against him.

Ana let her eyes fall close when Howie clicked off the lights. He pulled her closer, kissing the top of her head. Ana sighed with contentment, knowing that under other circumstances she would be left to fend on her own in the gigantic house that only held memories of her mother. "Thanks for making me spend the week, Howie."

"I wouldn't have had it any other way, Ana," he whispered, his fingers tracing up and down her back.

"So, when did you know?"

"About my feelings for you?"

"Yeah."

"My answer is going to be really cheesy," he warned with a chuckle. "But I knew the minute I saw you washing the Beast."

"Yeah? Me soaking wet in a white wifebeater with bikini underneath, topped with bubbles?" she laughed, kissing his collarbone without a second thought.

"Well, that was the bonus part of it," he objected, shivering a little at the kiss on his bare skin. "You just... I don't know. I was smitten right then."

"A secret worth keeping," Ana decided with a small yawn.

"Definitely," Howie agreed, kissing her forehead. "Get some sleep. We need to be up early tomorrow."

"Yeah, me dashing to the guest room in a fevered pace as Clicky tramples a few minutes behind me, bouncing on my chest... The joy..."

"If everything goes to plan tomorrow morning, I'll make you girls a special breakfast, okay?"

"To plan? What's your plan? Just getting me out of your room unscathed?

"Ana," he groaned quietly. "You know what I mean."

"I know, I just like hearing that sexy growl of a groan," Ana chirped, leaning up to embrace him in a heated kiss. Howie immediately tightened his grip against her back, crushing her against him. Ana moaned against his lips, loving the vibrations of sensuality coursing from their passion. And they stayed like that, throughout the night.
Chapter 16 by Starry Eyes
Well, this story is now just being written by Anastacia and myself. Alex (SweetAngelicAngel) has decided to stop being co-author for awhile. Thanks for the help you gave me, Alex. Anyways, enjoy this chapter, y'all!





A shrill beeping echoed in Howie's ears. He groaned, turning over and slamming his hand down on the alarm. The sharp slam caused Ana to jerk from her peaceful sleep curled next to him. She launched herself out of the bed, her blue-green eyes wide with surprise, but her mind still foggy. She held her hands up to her face, almost as if shielding herself. "Alright! I'm up! Jezz, Dad!"

Howie chuckled, sitting up in the bed. "Honey, you're not at home."

Ana stared blankly at Howie for a few seconds, as if analyzing the situation. She groaned, running both of her hands through her tangled curls. She squinted to see the clock, the numbers focusing into 6:00am. "I'm never sleeping in here again," she muttered tiredly. "Usually, I wake up at seven, throw on some clothes, and jump into The Beast to hit school around 7:20am."

"Oh, my poor Ana," he cooed playfully, getting up and pulling her into a hug. "You can either go back and sleep for an hour or take a shower and help me make breakfast."

"You really think I'd take the later choice over sleep?" she asked, raising her eyebrows in question.

"Well, I thought I'd give you two choices," Howie shrugged, kissing her good morning.

"Yeah, I'm up and out," Ana muttered, pulling away, attempting to retreat into the guest room, but Howie pull on the wifebeater. Ana groaned, still struggling limply as Howie slowly pulled her in. She was in no mood to fight with her usually impish spirit.

"You're not a morning person, are you?" he laughed.

"What made you think that?" she mumbled when Howie finally pulled her into his arms. She missed yet another kiss as she buried her head against his chest, dreamily closing her eyes.

"Just a guess," he replied, running a hand through her messy locks.

"Do you really want me to get a shower and help cook?" Ana murmured, her eyes still closed as she leaned against him.

"I'm not going to make you. I'm just going to say it would be nice to have my Baby-Girl with me."

"Mmmm... How about you get a shower...and I'll sleep for an extra fifteen...and meet you down there?"

"Alright, sounds good," he lifted her head up and kissed her before leaving to go into the bathroom.

"Adios, Mofo!" Ana called with a sleepy smirk, weaving down the hallway to the guest room. She was oriented enough to know that Melicia would stalk into the bedroom to wake Ana up, because Melicia did that every morning. Ana knew Melicia was beginning to think that Ana only slept later to give Melicia chest pains, and Ana didn't want her to think any differently. When she reached the room she had called her own for the past week, she tumbled head first into the bed, her body bouncing against the soft mattress. Within seconds, she was asleep yet again.

Melicia was having a really nice dream about her and AJ when the alarm went off, disturbing her thoughts. "Damn you, mornings," she moaned, slamming her hand down. She buried her head into her pillow for a moment before sitting up, rubbing her tired eyes.

She glanced at the clock, noting it was 6:35am. Her heart lurched as she hurriedly climbed free from the bed, kicking away the comforter and sheets. She was about to scurry into her closet for something perfect to wear, knowing that AJ would pick her up after school, but hesitated. She groaned loudly, knowing that Ana was still peacefully dreaming. An evil smirk appeared on Melicia's usually happy-go-lucky face as she scurried to the guest room. She eased open the door to see, sure enough, Ana dozing amongst the satin sheets, warm comforter, and pillows. Not able to contain herself, Melicia screamed a mighty roar, tackling Ana in the bed. Ana groaned in surprise as Melicia pinned her, shrieking to get up. Ana tried to defend herself, but after a few minutes, went limp against the bed. "Is it time to get up?" Ana pondered lazily, unable to even give a glare.

"Of course it is, Ana Banana! Come on, get your butt up! I can smell breakfast that Uncle Howie is cooking downstairs," Melicia got up and pulled the comforters off Ana's body. "Wakey, wakey!"

"Clicky, did anyone ever tell you that you're a pain in the ass during early daylight hours," Ana growled, struggling to reach for something to cover herself with.

"Too many times to count," Melicia laughed as she pulled all the covers away from Ana. "Now come on, it's time to get up."

"Ehhh...." Ana moaned when the cool air conditioning hit her bare legs.

"Are you going to be like this when we get to Duke? Get up!"

"I'm not rooming with you in Duke if you act like this every morning!" Ana threatened, covering her bare legs with pillows.

"Ay, yi, yi... get out of bed, ¡dama menora!" Melicia grabbed the pillows.

"Did you just call me something that has to do with a Jewish Holiday?" Ana asked, actually allowing one eye to peek open.

Melicia rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "No, I said 'young lady' in Spanish. Now will you PLEASE get up?"

"Wait...Did you say Howie's cooking already?" Ana asked, rolling onto her back. She blanked for a moment, glancing down to see Howie's wifebeater and purple boxers adorning her body. She panicked for a moment, hoping Melicia wasn't as alert as she pretended to be in the mornings.

"Yeah, I can smell the sausages, eggs and..." Melicia sniffed the air. "churros."

Ana sat up in bed, running a hand through her hair. She silently cursed herself as she realized she slept for way more than 15 minutes. "Ana... hello? Are you coming down to breakfast?" Melicia asked as she stood in the doorway.

"Um, yeah, just let me find my sweatpants and a t-shirt--"

"That's all you're wearing to school?" Melicia asked in surprise.

"Yeah, why?" Ana asked, raising her eyebrows in question.

"I don't know, I guess I'm not used to having a friend who wears that to school," Melicia shrugged. "All the kids I knew back home would rather have their teeth pulled if they did have their 'precious brand names'. But, you don't care, and I think that's cool."

"ADIDAS is all I need," Ana answered with a simple shrug. She yawned loudly, stretching her tired body. She became somewhat angry at herself that she had overslept after promising Howie she would be down. Trying to brush the thoughts away, Ana scratched her stomach before speaking, "You planning on bumming down today? Wait... You don't bum down... So, I guess the correct question would be how well are you dressing today? And do you need a ride in The Beast? Or is AJ picking you up?"

"Well... let's just say that when AJ sees me, his mouth is gonna drop," Melicia smirked. "I only need a ride in The Beast to school. AJ is picking me up after the concert practice."

"That's freaking sweet, because Dad's coming home tonight and he always expects me in the house, sitting down, doing homework, or practicing singing... Usually, he likes to see me studying a medical book. Then he kisses my cheek, asks how things were, and goes straight to his room. And I only see him occasionally till he takes off again," Ana murmured, a tinge of disappointment in her voice. Melicia looked as if she might comment, but Ana quickly ended that part of the conversation by starting anew. "Are you going down to breakfast looking like that? Or do you want to get dressed first?"

"I need to get dressed and everything... it's already 6:45. So, hurry up and I'll meet you downstairs," Melicia gave a smile and ran to her room.

Ana rolled her eyes, simply tugging on a pair of black sweatpants, hooking a bra, knotting the wifebeater to the side to expose the bottom portion of her lean stomach, and then tugged on a gray ADIDAS t-shirt. She brushed out her curls, threw them back into a long ponytail, and quickly ran to the bathroom to brush her teeth. Afterwards, she hurried down the stairs, knowing Melicia was still getting ready. She met Howie in the kitchen, giving him a pitiful pout. "I am so sorry, Howie."

Howie looked up from the churros, a sweet smile on his face. "It's alright, Ana. I could see you were tired, don't worry about it. I was the same when I was in school."

Ana supressed a groan as Howie identified the spacious gap between their ages. She simply slumped down into a kitchen chair, rubbing her tired eyes. "Alright," she stated simply.

Howie metally kicked himself as he realized what he had said. Leaving the food for a moment, he walked over and kissed the top of her head. "I'll get you used to mornings soon enough."

"No, that's alright, I'm content with afternoons and evenings," Ana murmured, her hands supporting her head in an upright position.

"Okay," he shrugged, leaning down and kissing her quickly before going back to the breakfast. "Would you like some eggs, sausage and a churro, mi amor?"

Ana lazily smirked at the notion of Melicia calling her some kind of Jewish ordament, knowing that she would have to get used to the Spanish vocabulary. "I'm really not that hungry. I gotta go pack my sh-ah-stuff and stuff it into The Beast. I'd run it all home, but I'm definitely too lethargic for that kind of activity."

"At least have a churro," Howie insisted as he handed her a deep fried stick of dough, which was sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

"At least have a churro," Howie insisted as he handed her a deep fried stick of dough, which was sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.

"You want my arteries to clog before I'm fifty?" Ana asked in surprise, quickly declining.

Howie rolled his eyes, chuckling before taking a bite of the churro. "Sometimes I forget you're going to be a doctor."

"That and my father requires perfection when he gets home from business trips. Not one speck of crumb tainting me. He expects his perfect little girl, in a perfect little skirt, with a perfect little figure, with her perfect G.P.A., with her perfect little medical book lying neatly in her lap, with his perfect gin tonic..." Ana stopped short, choking down her obviously bitter words. She suddenly rose from the table, walking toward the stairs. "CLICKY! LET'S GET GOING! I HAVE A LOT OF SHIT TO DO TODAY! AND IF YOU MESS WITH MY PLANS, I'M NOT TEACHING YOU HOW TO SURF NEXT WEEKEND!"

"ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT! I'M COMING!" Melicia thundered down the stairs.

"Damn, about time," Ana laughed, listening to Melicia curse as she balanced her backpack on a bare shoulder. Ana peeked up the stairs to see Melicia was wearing a pair of dark denium flares with a bright yellow halter top that hung on her left shoulder. Her dark locks pressed into perfect ringlets. Ana then turned back to the kitchen, slipping a shy kiss against Howie's lips. "I'm keeping your boxers and wifebeater," Ana announced softly.

"I told you it was alright," Howie chuckled, kissing her one more time. "You better hurry up before you two are late for school."

"Late in The Beast? Please? Do you know what kind of speeds I top?" Ana asked, hurrying up the stairs to grab her backpack and duffle bag. She ran back down, jumping off the last three steps. Melicia and Howie were waiting downstairs at the door. "Thank you for letting me stay, but I definitely have to be home today."

"It was our pleasure to have you here, Ana," he replied, smiling. "You're welcome here whenever you like. As the Spanish saying goes: Mi casa es su casa."

"And, as an American Surfing Chick, I say, my waves are your waves," Ana teased, rolling her eyes. Melicia chuckled with amusement, holding her mouth when Howie shot her a glare. Ana shrugged with a childlike smile, "I'll check ya later, Dorough."

"See you later, Lord," he opened the door for the girls and they walked outside.

"Not if I catch you first," Ana called, opening the driver's side of the Hummer.

"Adios, Uncle Howie," Melicia kissed his cheek and climbed into the passenger's side.

Howie kissed his niece's cheek and then shut the door for her. He waved as Ana expertly pulled away from the house, immediately stepping against the gas for a rev. Howie waited until they were out of view before retreating into his now quiet home. Somehow, he believed that things would work perfectly between him and Ana, even if he would miss her terribly while she thrived in her father's world.

*~*~*

Melicia strode toward the large auditorium stage to see Ana sitting on the edge with her headphones curled around her neck. It was obvious that lyrics were still flowing, because Ana bopped her head to the beat. Everyone in the choir had left from practice, but Mrs. Clark requested that Ana and Melicia stay for more training on their duet. Melicia's mind was farther away from the duet however, thinking about Ana's mother-like attitude the previous night. It was the first time in weeks that Melicia had slept soundly and it was all thanks to Ana. Yet, Ana seemed far from her usually mellow attitude that day. Melicia found it hard to pinpoint the source, although Dominic had confessed that Ana was always on edge when her father returned from a business adventure since her mother passed. Wanting to talk for a moment, Melicia hopped up to the edge of the stage beside Ana, offering her a Pepsi. Ana accepted, taking a long swallow. Melicia smiled affectionately, "Thanks for what you did last night, Ana."

"Last night? Oh, don't worry about it," Ana answered, shrugging it off quickly.

"No, really. I haven't felt that good or slept so well since... you know. And I would have gone on, holding in all my emotions until I exploded if it hadn't been for you."

"I figured I didn't want you to end up like me," Ana replied nonchantly, leaning back on the stage. She held her upper body weight on her arms.

"Talking about all of it could still help," Melicia answered, leaning back as well.

Ana paused for a long moment, seeming to even stop breathing. The only sound between them was the soft murmur of Ana's headphones. Melicia figured that Ana needed time to sort out emotions. After all, they were just becoming friends. Yet, the guys said that she never really opened up to any of them about her private life. Melicia chewed on her lip, deciding to take the next step. "Ana, are you going to ever tell me about your Mom?"

"What's there to tell?" Ana choked.

"Everything... just like how I talked about mine last night. Ana, I know it's hard, believe me. But I really think you would feel better if you talked--"

"I feel just fine, Clicky," Ana interupted.

"Ana, are you sure--"

"My mother is dead and in the ground. There's not much else I can be too sure about," Ana murmured, somewhat resentfully.

"Yeah, and so is mine, remember? Ana, we both lost our mom's the same day. I've talked to you about it, why can't you talk about it with me?"

"Because I'm not ready. My life with my Dad isn't peaches and cream like your life with your uncle, Clicky. I do what I need to do to keep myself going, but you have all that love surrounding you. I'll talk when I need to talk. I'll tell you all about Momma, but I just need time."

Melicia reached over and placed her hand on top of Ana's. "I'll be here whenever you're ready."

"Yeah, I know. And whenever you can't sleep, call me, and I'll come over and help. Alright?" Ana promised, for once allowing the deeper connection to occur with a friend.

"Alright," Melicia gave a crooked smile. "Thanks, girly."

"Hey, now, no using the profanity word," Ana grimaced, pushing on Melicia's shoulder. Melicia offered a look of pure confusion. Ana rolled her eyes. "Girly is profanity in my book, especially when you use it to refer to me!"

"Ohhh, okay," Melicia laughed as she pushed Ana back. Mrs. Clark came over, holding some sheet music for another piece the whole choir was going to sing.

The girls quickly went to work, revising and rehersing. Each part was perfected several times and the girls had still managed to contain the pain they felt for their mothers. Nonetheless, Mrs. Clark couldn't be more thrilled. She praised the girls left and right, promising that someday they might even record a duet together. The girls simply laughed, shrugging their shoulders at the irony. Finally, as the time started to wind down, Ana noticed AJ appear at the back of the auditorium. His presence sent red flags up in her mind. She quickly turned to Melicia. "Clicky, time check?"

"It's..." Melicia looked at her cell phone. "3:30."

"Oh, shit, he's going to kill me!" Ana blurted, immediately leaping off the stage. She landed with skilled grace and snatched her backpack away from one of the seats. Melicia hurried down the stage in absolute confusion as Ana glanced to her with worry. "My Dad's going to be home in a half hour. You just don't understand! He's going to literally kill me!"

"Why? What happened to make him want to kill you?"

"I have to be home waiting for him. I have to get a shower, put on a skirt, sit down in the living room with a medical book on my lap. I have to look like I was just painted from a picture. I have to have several gin tonics set up near his favorite seat with a cigar... I just... God! He wants everything perfect for the first hours that he gets home, then he'll ignore me till he leaves again. But it has to be perfect, Clicky, do you understand at all?" Ana asked hurriedly, searching for her keys in her pockets.

"Yeah, yeah, I understand. Just go on and get home before he does," Melicia replied as they reached the auditorium door.

"Nice to see you, AJ! Check you later! Um... Clicky, I can't call tonight, so I'll just see you in class tomorrow hopefully," Ana called, running to her car as if she were in a race. Within seconds she had revved her car and peeled out of the school parking lot.

AJ glanced to Melicia with obvious confusion as her eyes grew heavy with unshed tears. He instinctively settled his arm against the small of her back, leaning down to kiss her cheek. "Are you okay, Mella?"

"Yeah," she looked down for a moment, placing a hand over her eyes. "Just fine."

"You don't look fine," AJ observed, turning her to face him.

"Ana and I just sang two songs that are dedicated to our mothers and the people who died on 9/11... it's hard..." her voice cracked with thick emotion.

"I know that must be hard, Baby," AJ cooed, wrapping his arms around her tightly. He brought her to his chest, cuddling her. He kissed the top of her head, allowing her to release some strained sobs. He waited for a few moments, allowing her to regain some kind of composure. He kissed her head again. "Is that all that's bothering you, though?" AJ asked, sensing something deeper about the way Ana had left.

"No... it's Ana's relationship with her dad. It's not a healthy one, Alex," she whispered, looking up at him with weary eyes.

"What do you mean?" AJ asked in confusion, leading her to get her backpack.

"When you came in and she realized what time it was, she freaked. I guess when her dad comes home, everything needs to be perfect," she slung her backpack onto her shoulder. "She has to be showered, in a skirt, he needs gin tonics ready with a cigar and she needs to have that medical book in her lap and reading it. Like a picture perfect kind of thing... and it doesn't seem right."

"You..." AJ slowly gathered his own thoughts together. The same warning flashed in his mind. He quickly tugged Melicia close to his side, kissing her forehead. "You don't think he hurts her...do you, Mella?"

"I really hope he doesn't, Alex... because it all makes too much sense... I've seen it before back in New York with a friend of mine. I tried to help, but--"

"But what?"

"I was too late," she whispered. "Her stepdad beat her until she died..."

"I'm so sorry, Babe," AJ murmured, stopping their movement. He saw fresh tears trickle down Melicia's tan cheeks, alerting him to her pain. He leaned down to kiss her gently, hoping to break the grief. She quickly wrapped her arms around him, burying her head against his t-shirt. "Should we tell your uncle?"

"It won't help anyone. Uncle Howie would go right over and ask-- that just makes things worse. Even if Ana is getting hurt... he would think she told someone and... I don't want to think of what could happen."

"So, you're just going to carry this burden?"

"For now, it's the only way."

"I still think Howie--"

"I'm not going to tell him and neither are you. Promise me, AJ."

"Someone has to know, Mella."

"And you know someone who won't get Ana into more trouble?" Melicia asked as they walked outside towards AJ's car.

"No, but--"

"But nothing. We're not going to tell anyone. I lost one friend that way, I sure Hell ain't going to lose Ana."

"You might if you don't tell anyone," AJ corrected, unlocking the doors.

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," Melicia replied as he opened the door for her and she got in.

AJ said nothing more as he jumped into the driver's side. He was about to rev the engine, but halted. He turned toward Melicia, forcing their eyes to lock. "Just promise me that you'll think about telling your uncle if you see anything on Ana that isn't normal," AJ compromised.

Melicia nodded, her chin trembling a little. "I promise."

"You know it's the right thing to do, Mella. And I love you," AJ whispered with a kind smile.

Her mouth dropped open a little. No guy has ever said to her except for her uncles and grandfather. "You love me?"

"Yes, I love you," AJ repeated, his dark eyes smoldering with desire.

More tears formed in her eyes, but for once, it was because she was happy. "I love you, too."

"Good," he chuckled, leaning in to kiss her.

"So, where are we going? You must have picked me up for a reason," she asked, smiling as they let go.

"Where do you want to go?"

"Well, if I said where I really want to, I couldn't wear white on my wedding day--"

"Try for second best then."

Melicia thought for a moment, and still didn't have an idea as AJ revved the engine and sped out of the school. "I don't know."

"How about the everly classic beach?"

"Oooh... yeah! I've been in Florida all this time and still haven't really gone there yet."

"We could get some surf--"

"Ana's teaching me this weekend," Melicia interupted.

"Oh...then how about a boogie board? And some old-fashion-romance-walking-on-the-beach-hand-in-hand?"

"Sounds great, Sweetie," Melicia gave a sly smile as her hand rested on AJ's thigh, her fingers more on the inside.

"Don't tempt me," AJ warned, shivering a little. Never had he felt so absolutely insane for a woman before. Usually, his first thought was sex when a woman came into the picture, but with Melicia, things were different. He only wanted to love her. Sex wasn't important.

She only laughed as her thumb made a circling movement over his jeans, leaning over to kiss his cheek. "You're too cute... and now I can see what I do to you. I saw you shiver."

"For once, Mella, I want to do right by a woman. Please, don't make it harder than it is. I just want to love you. Sex isn't important."

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." she removed her hand and placed both in her lap, looking out the car window.

"Mella, I didn't mean that I didn't like your affection."

"But if I put my hand back, or do other things like that, won't that be making it--"

"I just want you to understand that sex isn't important right now. I'm just fine where our relationship is right now. I love kissing you, holding you, cuddling you, and God knows that I'd love to make love to you... But I want to wait. I want it to be special. I want it to be your wedding day..."

All of AJ's sincere words hit Melicia like a truck. She never thought she would meet a guy like AJ, one who respected her for who she was and didn't want sex right away. But the two words that floored her was 'wedding day'. "Alex... when you say wedding day... do you mean what I think you mean?"

"I think I've known you for practically my whole life, Mella. And, if that's not a true soul mate that I'm destined to be with for the rest of my life, then I don't know what is."

More tears welled up in Melicia's eyes for the millionth time in just the past few days. Her mother was the same when it came to being emotional, as well as her uncle. "Really? You feel the same way I do?"

"Yeah, of course, don't go buying the wedding invitations yet, just let me see you walk down the graduation isle before we make plans," AJ whispered, threading his fingers with hers.

A little laugh escaped Melicia's lips. "Alright. Wow, I almost forgot I'm graduating in May..."

"Yeah, that's a big step, but we'll have an even bigger one to take together," AJ promised.

She smiled, leaning over and kissing him as they stopped at a red light. "I can't wait for that day."
Chapter 17 by Starry Eyes
Howie paused for a moment when he entered the living room, noticing Melicia sprawled on the couch, listlessly clicking the remote control to the plasma TV. To say the least, Howie was worried. Melicia had said nothing about Ana for the past several days, making Howie slightly sick. Every day he glanced across the road to the Lord Residence, but found no signs of Ana. Usually, she was outside in a bikini doing something. But now her spacious lawn was unoccupied. "Hey, Mella! It's Friday, shouldn't you be hanging out with Ana?" Howie asked, probing for answers to his missing infatuation.

"Huh?" Melicia looked up from the TV. "Oh, well, Ana hasn't been to school the last couple of days. Thought maybe she was sick or something..."

"Sick? Like the flu?"

She shrugged, hoping Ana really was just ill and not something worse. "Might be. Some of the other kids at school are absent from it."

"Have you at least called to see if she was alright?" Howie stressed, sitting beside her. It was unlike Ana not to at least call Melicia to make sure everything was indeed alright.

"I called a few times, but someone answered and told me Ana was unable to talk," Melicia answered, trying to ignore the knot in her stomach.

"Oh. She must not be feeling good, then... right?"

"Either that or her dad beat her to a pulp," Melicia muttered in a tone unable to be deciphered by Howie's ears.

"Did you say something, Mella?"

"I was just reminding myself that I have some homework to do," she lied, getting up from the couch. "I want to get it done now so I don't have to do it on Sunday night."

Unable to control her impulses, Melicia glanced out the window to the Lord Residence. She quickly scanned the area, finding herself drawn to the basketball court. Her eyes quickly focused on a lithe object tossing a ball toward the hoop. Melicia squealed loudly, startling Howie. "Holy shit! Uncle Howie! It's Ana!"

Howie immediately got up and looked out the window as well. His heart fluttered with joy as he saw she was outside. "It is her! I guess she's over that flu now."

Melicia simply nodded, immediately sprinting toward the door. She ran across the street as if chasing the golden pot at the end of a rainbow. She was about to tackle Ana to the ground when she approached the basketball court, but immediately hesitated. Things were obviously not well. Ana stood on the court with a pair of purple boxers on and a lavender tank top with jewels embedded along the bottom hem. A pale blue skirt with small lavender flowers lay at the side of the court, folded neatly atop a pair of heeled sandals. Ana's hair was wild and free, tumbling in beautiful ringlets down her back, but her appearence made Melicia's heart pound with sickness. Her right arm lay embedded in a cast just below the elbow as dark sunglasses shielded her eyes. "Ana?" Melicia called softly.

"Oh... Hey, Clicky," Ana replied without any ethusiasm. She let the ball sail through the net and bounce onto the perfectly manicured lawn.

"Ana, what happened to you?" she whispered, her stomach knotting up tightly. It was as if her old friend was standing right there. Her suspicions were now confirmed about what happned in the Lord household if something wasn't perfect according to Mr. Lord's beliefs.

"You mean my arm?" Ana said with a strained laugh. "Don't get too worried. My Dad wanted me to show him my latest surf styles, so we hit the beach. I had this perfect wave, but it cut out on me. Must have hit a shallow spot, because a tumbled down and landed on my arm as my board came up and smacked me in the face. Doctor said it was a spiral fracture, pretty awesome huh?" Ana lied, only seeing her father's fist come flying into the air, knocking her to the ground. The the glass of gin tonic hurled only inches away from her head. He was overly stressed by then, seizing her by the arm, twisting until it snapped.

"Um, yeah. Awesome... is that why you haven't been at school? Mrs. Clark was getting worried about you. So was Uncle Howie and I."

"Dad decided to keep me home for a few days, because my eye swelled shut. That and my arm hurt like a bitch. All the other teachers knew about it. I'm all caught up. One came to the house to even give me the tests I missed. Straight A's again," Ana replied, glancing up toward her house for a moment.

"Oh, well that's good you're caught up," Melicia agreed, looking to where Ana was, but saw nothing in the windows. "Are you going to be able to do the concert next Tuesday with your arm?"

"Doesn't take an arm to sing, Clicky."

"I was just asking in case it started hurting again or something... I've broken my leg before, and it hurt a lot of the time during the first few weeks."

"I'm used to it," Ana muttered, bending down to snatch the skirt from the ground. She knew her father would be waking from his stupor soon. She would need to be inside, reading until he caught his next flight.

"What?"

"Nothing, just saying how my Dad is catching another flight out tonight..." Ana trailed, fumbling to slide the skirt up her legs with only one arm.

"Oh, he is? When does he come back?" Melicia asked, her heart aching with pain as she watched Ana struggle. She knew better than to offer her help.

"Sunday," Ana replied, finally adjusting the skirt to her hips. She bent down to get her sandals, but the glasses slipped from her face. She curled loudly as they clattered to the ground. It was then that Melicia saw what the 'board' had done to Ana's face. The skin surrounding her right eye all the way down to the middle of her cheek was an array of purples, blues, greens, and yellows. The right eye was barely open, obviously painful.

"Oh my God!" Melicia blurted before she could stop. "The board did THAT to your eye?"

"I told you that it hit me good," Ana stumbled, hurriedly snatching her sunglasses from the ground. She pulled them back onto her face, wincing slightly as the metal brushed against her bruised face. She could feel her eyes water as she simply pulled her sandals on her feet without bending over.

"Yeah, I guess so," Melicia replied, not knowing what to do about this situation. "You know, since you're on the injured list and all, it's alright if you have to cancel my surfing lessons tomorrow--"

"Are you crazy?" Ana interrupted, obviously dying to get away from her house. "My cast is water-proof. I can still teach you. It's not that big of a deal. Just one bump along the road to becoming a pro-surfer. Besides, Dad's leaving tonight and I'll be alone again."

"Oh, alright. Great. Do you want to do something later tonight when your dad leaves? You could stay for the weekend if you want."

"You and Howie already had enough of me for one week. I'll be fine--"

"Ana, don't you remember what my uncle said? Mi casa es su casa. You're welcome in our home anytime, and we would never get tired of you."

"I just don't want to be a burden..." Ana explained, glancing down at her bare legs. She had missed Howie terribly. She remembered waiting in the cold doctor's office, knowing that Howie would have at least cuddled her tight to his side for the wait.

"You're not a burden! You're a part of the Dorough's now, and there's no way to get rid of us," Melicia gave a teasing smile, trying to lighten the situation until she could talk to AJ.

"I can just stay here---"

"Please, just think about it, okay? Don't think you can't come over. Just like I can call you, you can call me and come right on over."

Ana was about to answer, but a shrill and demanding voice echoed throughout her household. Melicia felt her stomach tighten and her bones chill at the mere sound of the man's overbearing voice. Ana tensed immediately, glancing back to Melicia. "I have to go help Dad pack his stuff, but...um... If you don't mind, I'll come over to stay the weekend after I drop him off at the airport?"

"Yeah, okay..." Melicia leaned over and kissed Ana's left cheek. "Just come right on over. If I'm gone, Uncle Howie will be there."

"Where are you going?" Ana asked, slowly backing toward her house.

"Just somewhere with AJ, probably. I won't be long."

"How's that going? You know, with AJ?"

A silly smile creeped on Melicia's face as she remembered AJ's words. "It's really going great... dude, we've even talked about... well, marriage."

Ana offered a shy smile, honestly happy for Melicia. She was about to comment, but her father roared again. Ana's back immediately stiffened, knowing that she would probably be reprimanded yet again. "I'm happy for you, Clicky... But I really have to go. We'll talk about it tonight, okay?"

"Okay, see you then," she gave a small wave before heading towards her house. "Te amo, chica!"

Ana ran into her house at lightening speed. She was greeted by her father at the doorway, who immediately slammed the door behind her. Ana cringed, immediately releasing a string of apologies. His bitter words lashed outward along with a firm hand, leaving Ana wondering if any type of love was actually obtainable in her situation.

*~*~*

Melicia ran back into the house, trying to find car keys to one of the cars. She needed to get over to AJ's and talk to him about what happened to Ana. She didn't even hear Howie calling her name until he grasped her arm. "Mella!"

Melicia jumped back as if she had been touched by fire. She foolishly wiped away the tears that had slipped from beneath her eyelids, knowing that her uncle would become suspicious. She mustered some type of smile as Howie gave her a bewildered look. "I just have to go out for a little bit. Is it alright if I take one of the cars?" she asked.

"Mella, are you okay?"

"Uncle Howie, I'm fine. I need to go and run some errands if Ana is going to spend the weekend here. Can I borrow one of the cars?"

"Ana's spending the weekend?" Howie asked with surprise. Obviously, he was delighted that he would see Ana later, but he couldn't shake that something had happened between the girls. He didn't know what to think.

"Yeah, her dad is leaving again tonight and I thought she should come back over instead of being in that house all alone. Now, can I just take one of the cars? I promise to be careful."

"Yeah, of course you can, but--"

"Gracias, tío Howie!" she grabbed the Corvette keys, kissed his cheek and ran into the garage.

Howie was absolutely puzzled as Melicia practically dove into the Corvette. Nothing seemed to add up in the scheme of things. He watched her open the garage door and immediately tear out of the lot as if the car were on fire. For once, he wasn't worried about his Corvette in the hands of his niece, because something in her eyes told him that it was important.

*~*~*

"Your uncle let you take the Corvette?" AJ wheezed in surprise as he watched Melicia jump out of the car that his best friend had cherished for more than a lifetime. He didn't expect to see Melicia over tonight, because he was supposed to be crashing at the Dorough household.

"Yeah, but that's not important right now. It's about Ana. She's... she's... she's..." more tears fell down her face, and this time she didn't wipe them away.

AJ pulled Melicia into his arms, hugging her tightly. "What happened? Babe, tell me."

"Her arm's broke and she has this horrible bruise around her eye. I mean the bruise is absolutely huge! It covers from the overtop her eyebrow to the middle of her cheek! And she said she had a spiral fracture, which means he was twisting her arm... She told me about how they check for abused children when they see a spiral fracture. But why not with her? Why not? She was out of school for almost the entire week and no one said anything. God, the teachers were over at her home and didn't even notice anything! How can they be so stupid, Alex? How?!" Melicia rambled, burying her face in his loose t-shirt. She just wanted her heart to stop hurting. She just wanted the pain from her mother and Ana to go away.

"I don't know, Mella, I don't know," AJ soothed, kissing her forehead. "But now that all this has happened... Honey, we have to tell someone. Ana could get hurt even more if we don't do anything. It's just a broken arm this time. Next, it may be a whole body cast or even worse."

"She won't admit to it. She told me that she had bad accident surfing," Melicia sniffled.

"You should know that people who are abused lie about what happened. They think it's their fault and there's nothing they can do about it."

"We can't tell though..."

"What do you mean? Mel, you promised me you would at least think about telling someone if Ana ended up getting hurt."

"Telling someone makes it worse!"

"Why can't you tell your uncle? Howie's gotten close to Ana from that week she spent with you. Maybe if you made your uncle aware...then he could try to talk to her. Maybe you guys together can convince her to at least get help. And then Howie would obviously offer his home to her for shelter... I mean, wouldn't that be the best decision?" AJ asked, feeling Melicia's pain.

"Because Uncle Howie won't make anything descreet like that! You know how protective he is about family, and Ana is family now. The minute I tell him, he'll be on the phone with the BI or something! I can't tell him, AJ. And neither can you."

"Why can't you just try?"

"Because I tried before and that ended up killing my friend, that's why."

"Mella, this is completely different."

"How is it different? Abuse is abuse, AJ."

"You can't be afraid of the past, though, Mella. What happens if you don't intervene and things just go down hill. What if you don't help and her body is found at the bottom of the ocean?"

"Then it would be my fault, like it always is..." she pulled herself out of AJ's arms and sat on the hood of the Corvette.

"Nothing is ever your fault," AJ corrected.

"If nothing was never my fault, then I should have been able to save my other friend and make my mom stay home from work when the towers were attacked. But I wasn't able to do either and they're both dead!"

"First off, you tried to help your other friend. I know that you tried with all your might. You're the type of person that won't back down, Mella, and that's beautiful. Second, you had no idea what was planned for 9/11. No one had any type of clue about it. You can't blame yourself for what hateful men obviously did to ruin our country. The best you can do is lift your head up and continue to prosper, letting everyone know that the American Spirit is still strong. Even in a teenager who has dealt with tremendous losses," AJ soothed, leaning beside her on the car.

"I know, but... it's just been too much, AJ... I can't take anyone else leaving me. I mean... I'm so afraid that God is just going to decide that He needs to take not only Ana, but Uncle Howie, my aunts and uncles, my grandparents... and even you. I have nightmares sometimes. I'm sitting there, watching everyone leave my life and I can't do anything about it. Like I'm glued to the spot. I scream and scream, but no one hears me."

"We're not going to leave you."

"Can you promise me that? You can actually promise that no one is going to leave me?"

"I can promise you that I'm not going to leave. And, I know, that if someone had to leave, that they would give up one Hell of a fight before they said goodbye."

Melicia didn't say anything as she reached over and wrapped her arms around AJ, sobbing hard into his chest.

AJ offered a painful smile, simply wrapping his arms back around Melicia. He had never seen the girl cry so hard before since her mother's death. He knew that she was dealing with almost too many emotions to count. He would never understand everything inside her, but he could at least comfort her. "Hey, Babe, it'll get better," AJ soothed softly, kissing the top of her head.

"I-I hope so," she hiccuped, calming down a little as she felt AJ's hand go over her back in a slow circle. "Because I'm going to go insane if it doesn't."

"Then I'll make a padded room in my home just for you," AJ chuckled.

A small smile creeped on her lips. "You're funny, McLean."

"It'd be fun, don't you think? Jumping around the room, hitting the walls, just bouncing off them... Damn, I might have to hire a contractor for that!" AJ whistled, loving the smile he was bringing to his girlfriend's beautiful face.

Melicia began to laugh as she imagined AJ bouncing off padded walls in a room. "You're a goof... you know, that reminds me of that N*SYNC video... um... oh! "Drive Myself Crazy"! They did that, didn't they?"

"Yeah, but I'd look a hell of a lot better in silk PJ's than them."

"Mmm, I won't deny that," she smirked, kissing his chest over the black t-shirt he was wearing.

"Thanks, Babe," AJ answered with a slight shiver.

"I love you, Pancake," she whispered with a smile.

"I love you, too, Syrup."

"Is that my nickname now?"

"Well, I figure if I'm the pancake, then you're the syrup that sugars my soul," AJ answered with a lopsided smile.

"That's so sweet," Melicia leaned up and kissed him.

"Yeah, I know," he chuckled, kissing her back. "So, what's happening tonight? Am I still planning on crashing at the Dorough Residence?"

"Yup, that plan is still a go... we could even go out, if you wanted... Ana's spending the weekend over at our house, and then tomorrow we're all going surfing."

"You sure you don't want to be home with Ana?"

"If she wants my company. Lately, it seems like her and Uncle Howie have really connected somewhere. She knows she can confide in him."

"Yeah, but she's your friend. I would think you'd at least want to be there. See if you can get her to open up about the truth..."

"That's the thing. She can't even talk to me about her mom dying, yet. How would I get her to talk about her dad hurting her?"

"Maybe you got to press till she cracks? Because if she doesn't admit it, then you're going to have to do something, you know, like tell your uncle."

"If I try pressing her like that, she'll grab all her things and go back home. You don't know her like I do and for the last time, I'm not talking to my uncle about it yet."

"Then when?"

"I don't know, okay? I don't know."

"I'm not trying to make you hate me, Mella. I just want you to understand that you're playing with fire by waiting. And I really don't want to make Ana loathe me by stepping in."

"I don't hate you. What I'm afraid of is if I do say something to Uncle Howie, that Ana will hate me for doing it."

"Then why don't you let me take the strength of her hate? I'll tell him."

"Because if she hates you and we're still friends after you tell Uncle Howie, you could never be around when she is, and that would be way too hard. Besides... when we do get married, I want Ana to be my maid of honor, and that won't work if she hates you."

AJ nodded, sighing heavily. "Why don't we go to the store and just grab a whole load of junk food for tonight. Maybe we can get the girl so revved up on sugar that she'll spill her guts...and not by vomitting..."

Melicia made a face. "Must you be so graphic like that?"

"Only so I can see that cute little face you make," AJ cooed, pinching her cheeks before kissing her.

"You're a dork," she laughed, kissing him again. "Ready to go to the store with me behind the wheel of Uncle Howie's baby?"

"Yeah, but if there's even one tiny speck of dust on the baby when we get it back - I was never in the car."

"Deal." she made a rolling move over the hood and opened the driver's door.

"Smartass," AJ murmured, climbing in.
Chapter 18 by Starry Eyes
Ana almost regretted knocking on Howie's front door. Her father had left just ten minutes ago and Ana was already looking for salvation. He had slapped her before he left, leaving yet another mark against her already bruised cheek. Now the lower part of her cheek was slowly turning a new array of dark colors. Trying to conceal the bruise, she let her curls fly free, hanging down past her shoulders. She still wore her expensive sunglasses with the same lavender tank top and pastel blue skirt. She shifted her backpack uncomfortably on her shoulder, vowing to wait only a few more seconds before turning away. She should have just spent the weekend concealed in her home. She didn't know why she had agreed to spending the weekend with the Doroughs.

She had just turned to leave when the door opened. "Baby, where are you going?"

"Mel went off to do some errands, and I was cleaning the study. I-- oh my God, Ana! What happened to your arm?"

"Nothing, I hit the waves a little too hard. They're not too kind when you try to slice through them..." Ana stated, forcing a strained chuckle. She was at least thankful that he hadn't seen her face yet. "But, if you're cleaning the study, then I can just come back--"

"Ouch," Howie winced a little. "I just finished cleaning, come on inside." He was about to reach for her hand, but she flinched without thinking about it.

Ana watched Howie's eyes glaze over with confusion. She bit down on her bottom lip, mentally scorning herself for the obvious flaw. She did her best to think up a proper excuse, "Arm's just a little tender, you know?"

"Oh. I understand," he opened the door more and she walked in. "Are you hungry? I could make you something."

"No, not hungry at all. Just tired is all," Ana replied, shrugging her shoulders. She went to move her fallen curls away from her face, but froze, quickly running her fingers through her curls instead. In fact, tired was a mere understatement. She was absolutely exhausted. She had hardly slept since her father returned.

Howie frowned a little at Ana's attitude. Something didn't fit right with the reason why her arm was broken, and her hair was never down when she came to visit. The thing that stood out was her flinching when he tried to touch her. "You could go on up and take a nap, if you want. I'm sure Mella is going to want to stay up all night pigging out and watching movies. AJ is also staying for the night, and with the two of them together, I never get any sleep."

"Why don't you sleep? Because they're loud?"

"I don't fall asleep if I'm around them... I always end up getting decorated with cookies or writing on my face. I learned that lesson when I first started touring with the fellas."

"Isn't that why you have a lock on your door?" she asked, slowly easing her backpack to the ground.

"That's a lock if anyone but AJ is over. Somehow, the asshole figured out how to pick my lock. I'm vulnerable in my own house."

"You could go over to my house..." Ana's voice trailed, remembering the glass that the maid had yet to clean up. She even remembered that a bit of blood had tainted the white carpet. She closed her eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. "Guess you're S.O.L., Howie."

"Always am being friends with AJ, Brian, Nick and Kevin... then add Mella on top of that," Howie reached over and tapped lightly on her sunglasses. "What's with those?"

Ana winced openly when the sunglasses bumped backward into the tender flesh. She had prayed that Howie hadn't noticed the obvious pain as tears flodded her hidden eyes. "Um... My Dad brought them back from Europe, said they're the latest thing over there..."

"And it's a trend to wear them inside?"

"AJ does it, doesn't he?"

"Yeah, but that's because he doesn't like his long eyelashes--"

"And I don't like the color of my eyes," Ana blurted, trying to end that conversation.

"The color of your eyes?" Howie's eyebrows furled in confusion. "You've never complained about it before."

'Well, wait till you see the skin clashing with them,' Ana thought hatefully.

"Ana? Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I don't know. You seem more... distant."

"Why? Cause I didn't kiss you or anything?"

"What? No, I didn't mean it like that--"

"Then what did you mean?"

"I'm just worried about you. Melicia mentions that you haven't been in school practically all week, your dad came home, and I'm just worried about you," Howie admitted honestly, opening his arms wide.

"Worried about me?" Ana repeated.

"Well, of course. I really feel a lot for you, and when I didn't see you outside or talk to Mella... I got really worried."

"It was just a surfing accident, no big deal," Ana answered somewhat softly.

"We didn't know it was a surfing accident, Sweetheart. Can you blame us for being worried? Can you blame me?"

"No, but I can blame my father," Ana murmured, glancing away.

"Your father? What did he have to do with your accident?"

"He was sitting on the sand and yelled my name. It startled me and I went crashing," Ana lied, holding her casted arm tight against her lean stomach.

"Oh, okay." Howie frowned. The story didn't add up like it should have if all that happened with a surfing accident. They sat there in silence for a minute.

"Um...are you really busy?" Ana asked, hesitating for a moment.

"No, not at all. Why?"

"I just... I want to lay down, but I don't want to be alone... I know it's stupid, but would you mind laying with me? You make me comfortable, Howie, and I really need you..."

A sigh of relief escaped his lips as he leaned over and kissed her forehead. "It's not a stupid question and of course I will lay down with you. I'm always here when you need me."

Howie grabbed her backpack and helped her up the stairs with his hand wrapped around her waist. They traveled to the guest room and Howie sat the bag down at the side of the room. Ana immediately kicked off her chunky heeled sandals. She glanced down at her skirt, immediately cursing. There was no way she could get it off without tearing the skirt and then her father would have an absolute fit. "Howie? Can you unzipper this?"

"Sure, Baby." he gave her a sweet smile as he reached over and gently unzipped the skirt.

Ana nodded briefly as the skirt fell down to the floor and she stepped out. She was wearing his purple boxers, which made Howie smile yet again. She turned away from him, pulling the sunglasses off her face, and tossing them onto the nearby nightstand. She then sat down heavily on the bed, massaging the back of her neck with her good hand. "I had to wear skirts all freaking week. You have no idea how much of pain in the ass that it is," Ana murmured as Howie sat beside her, completly oblivious to the dangerous bruise on the opposite side of her face.

"I don't think I would ever know-- but now that you're in my house, you don't have to, okay?" Howie replied as he sat down behind her, reaching to massage her neck for her.

Ana tensed immediately when she felt Howie's hands slide against the sides of her neck, only remembering when her father reached to choke her. But she heard Howie's soft voice telling her it was okay and immediately let her muscles sag with obvious relief. She hung her head forward as Howie slowly started to rub her neck. "He just wants things perfect. It's not his fault," she murmured softly, closing her eyes.

"Not everything can be perfect, Sweetie," Howie whispered in her ear before kissing it.

"For him it is," Ana answered, turning around on the bed. She seemed to forget the hideous bruise covering the right side of her face.

Howie's mouth dropped open as he saw the large bruise. "What happened?"

Ana closed her eyes for a long moment, mentally screaming toward herself. She held her good hand up to block the bruising, but her small hand couldn't cover it entirely. Howie's compassionate eyes were enough to tear through her soul. Wet tears welled in her aching eyes. "The board hit me in the face..."

She felt him grasp the hand covering the bruise and kiss it. "A surf board did all that?"

"I was really cruising in the water..." Ana lied as he pulled her hand away to examine the bruise. A sharp eye would obviously catch the two distinct colorations between the meshing of two bruises. The older one was filled with duller blacks, purples, and yellows. The newer one held brighter blacks, purples, and blues.

"Cruising enough to get hit twice?" Howie asked, noticing the distinctions in bruising.

"I was getting into the car to take my dad to the airport when I hit my cheek off the door," Ana fumbled to explain, shrugging her shoulders. "Dad always called me the family klutz."

Howie nodded, not wanting to believe what he thought in the back of his mind. "Mella's the klutz in our family, I know what you mean..."

"Yeah--"

"We can get some ice to put on both injuries?" Howie offered.

"Later, I'm really tired," Ana stated, breaking away from him to cuddle against the side of the bed. She instantly curled herself into the fetal position.

"Okay," Howie nodded, laying right next to her before wrapping his arms tightly around her. "I'm always here for you, Ana. Don't forget that."

Ana wiggled in his arms, turning to face him. She carefully held her cast across her stomach and reached out with her other hand to run her fingers down his stubbly cheek. "What if it's a dangerous issue?"

"It doesn't matter what issue it is," he took her hand, threading their fingers. "I'm going to be right here, and I'll protect you in any way I can."

"Even if the waves are really rough?" Ana asked, hinting to more than she knew she would.

"Baby, the waves could reach up to the Heavens and be rough as Hell... and I would still be here."

"Good, because they're getting rougher each time he comes home..." she trailed softly, noticing the confused look in Howie's eyes. She bit down on her bottom lip, knowing she had to change the subject before she revealed everything. Her father would strangle her if he knew. "Um...Howie? Can I tell you something personal?"

"You know you can tell me anything."

"I think I love you," she stated with a shy smile. No matter how much physical pain she felt, Howie holding her made everything melt away. It was as if she were in a bubble of protection, away from the harsh realities of life. Howie made her forget the numbness inside.

Howie's eyes lit up with happiness as he smiled. He felt giddy and almost like a teenager again. "Really? You love me like I love you?"

"How do you love me?" she asked with her normally impish smile.

"Like I would go insane if I didn't see you every day," he leaned forward and kissed her. "Your smile makes me light up inside, every time we touch I feel sparks... I love you with my life, Ana."

"To answer your question... Yes, Howie, I love you like you love me. Because I know that no matter what happens, I can always come to you. I could be drowning and you would plunge in the depths to rescue me. That's the kind of love I feel," Ana admitted, gently kissing him.

"You want to move in with me forever?" Howie murmured, breaking their kiss for a moment.

"I wish I could," Ana replied dreamily, her eyes growing heavier.

"Someday, Baby," he answered softly, pulling Ana into his arms. She rested her head on his chest, the beat of his heart soothing her. "I promise you that."

*~*~*

Melicia and AJ hurriedly ran into the house with several bags of food in each of their hands. Melicia repeatedly cursed as she hurriedly flopped the bags onto the kitchen table, praying that they wouldn't rip or tumble. She started to laugh when a bag ripped from AJ's hands, spilling bags of various chips. He cursed loudly as Howie walked into the room. AJ was about to let loose a variety of cures, but caught Howie's look. He swallowed hard, mustering a feeble smile. Howie rolled his eyes, bending down to pick up the fallen items. "Thanks for getting more junk food, Mella," Howie teased.

"You gotta have the junk food when friends are staying the night, Uncle Howie!" she objected, pulling food out of the other bags and putting them away. "Besides, I'm not going to be the doctor in this group; that's Ana's job, remember? I'm the writer."

"And a wonderful writer you will be," Howie agreed, kissing her forehead. "But...speaking of Ana... Have you met her father at all?"

"No, actually, I haven't. Every time I was over, he was either sleeping or out of town," Melicia replied, frowning a little.

"Oh, figured as much. It's just the girl has a lot of bruises and breaks for a stupid boarding accident--"

"Ana's here?" Melicia blurted loudly.

"Yeah, she's upstairs sleeping," Howie raised an eyebrow at his niece. "Why is that a surprise? You invited her over."

AJ decided to cover for Melicia, playfully throwing his arms around Howie's shoulders. "Upstairs sleeping, huh? How'd you tire her out, D?"

"You are perverted," Howie grunted, pulling out of AJ's grasp. "The poor girl had a bad accident and she was tired."

"More like a bad father," Melicia murmured angrily, shoving the cans of soda deep in the fridge.

"A bad father?" Howie questioned, overhearing Melicia.

"Because he's never home," she added onto her comment.

"Alright..." Howie trailed with confusion.

"Hey, Mel, throw me a Coke while you're in the fridge," AJ broke the silence.

Melicia grabbed a can and chucked it toward AJ as Ana came into the kitchen. The whirling can came inches from Ana as AJ held his hand out to catch it. On instinct, Ana grabbed her head and ducked downward. "Holy shit!" she screamed out.

"Oh my God! Ana, I'm sorry, I didn't see you there!" Melicia immediately apologized as Ana stood up.

"N-No problem... Just nothing flying toward my head, p-p-please," Ana stammered, struggling to maintain her composure. She held a hand against her thumping heart. She could only see the gin tonic glass come flying toward her.

Melicia walked over and gave Ana a hug. "I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sure that was like seeing the board coming at you, right?"

"More like the glass," Ana murmured.

"Huh?"

"Nothing, I just think that action is likely to keep me up for an entire century," Ana replied with a simple shrug, not really noticing AJ stare at her intensely. She moved a lock of hair away from her face as AJ took a gulp of soda. When AJ's eyes locked onto the hideous bruises, he choked on the soda.

Howie pounded AJ on the back as he choked on the liquid. "You okay, bro?"

"God that fucking bruise is gross," AJ coughed, not really thinking about his words.

"ALEX!" Melicia scolded as Ana's face turned red.

"Is it really that bad?" Ana asked in horror.

"Ana, it's just a shock if you don't know about it," Melicia replied, giving AJ a cold glare as she looked back at Ana. "You just need to ice it and the bruises will fade faster."

"Then new ones will appear," Ana replied, allowing her curls to fall back in her face. She saw Howie's confusion, but she shrugged her shoulders. "Don't worry about it, AJ. It is pretty fucking hideous."

"I didn't mean to sound like an ass, I was just--"

"It looks fucking hideous," Ana repeated, allowing her impish smirk to finally surface.

"Okay, you're right..." AJ trailed off, feeling another glare come from Melicia. "So! What's for dinner, D?"

"Anything high in fat that has a chance of clogging arteries sounds fine with me," Ana answered, relieved that the spotlight was finally off her. She leaned against the counter, glancing at Howie with question.

"Well, I had been thinking of either some Chinese food or Mexican. It's up to you guys, but I'm gonna need help."

"Help?" Melicia asked, her eyes growing wide in surprise. She always burned this in the kitchen - a trait inherited from her father. She held her hands up to her forehead as if seeing an image. "I see myself in the pool with someone at my side while Uncle Howie cooks..."

"That's me!" AJ volunteered. He wasn't good in the kitchen either; his mother was always the one who cooked for him and if she wasn't, he was ordering takeout or eating at Howie's.

"Me?" Ana groaned.

"I'll burn the food, Ana. We're talking MASSIVE flames!" Melicia yelped.

"My mom won't even LET me cook in my own house!" AJ objected. "That's how bad I am!"

Ana rolled her eyes as both hit the floor on their knees. In unison, they began to plead for her to help instead of them. The glitter in Melicia's eyes made Ana laugh, knowing that they just wanted alone time. Ana shrugged her lean shoulders, pulling a hair tie off her good wrist, handing it toward Melicia. "Put my hair up and I'll help Howie. I've always cooked by myself, figure it might be nice to try it with someone who cares."

Melicia gave a soft smile before leaping up to her feet and carefully pulling Ana's blonde curls into a ponytail. She kissed Ana's nonbruised cheek. "Thanks, chica!"

"You got to stop kissing me. Makes me look soft or something," Ana teased, bringing her good arm around Melicia for a quick hug.

In reply, Melicia kissed her cheek again before running upstairs to put on her bathing suit. AJ immediately followed suit, leaving the two alone in the kitchen. Howie offered a sly smile, knowing what the end comment about 'caring' meant to himself and her. Ana walked toward Howie, holding her arms out. "Put these mexican making hands to work!"

He chuckled, taking them and headed to the fridge. "First, we need ingredients."

"Well, duh," Ana replied, crinkling up her nose.

"Hush up, dama menora," Howie replied, rolling his eyes with a smile as he placed lettuce, cheeses and hot sauce into Ana's arms.

"Not too much," Ana replied as her casted arm began to sting with pain.

"I know. Hold on," Howie grabbed a few more things into his arms and grabbed the jar of hot sauce out of hers. "Better?"

"Thanks," Ana answered with relief, walking over to the counter. She carefully dumped out her contents onto the counter, making sure than none spilled. Then, she carefully arranged them into a row.

"Wow, you do what I do when I cook," he chuckled, kissing her temple as he pulled out pans and tortilla shells.

"You knew that those two were going to back out of cooking," Ana scolded, leaning against the counter.

"Who, me?" Howie asked innocently as he turned on the stove and placed some hamurger in one and chicken in the other.

"Yes, you. You're completely evil, you know that? Just because I didn't cook with you last week. You're really sly..." Ana laughed, shaking her head in disbelief.

Howie shrugged with a smile. "You know you love me."

"Yeah, but you owe me big time," Ana replied, poking him softly in the chest.

"I'll pay you back later tonight," he gave her a wink, kissing her gently.

"How?"

"I've got my ways, Darling," Howie replied, kissing her again before going back to the meat and chicken. "Which one do you wanna cook?"

"Chicken, but how?!"

"You are too impatient! Watch the chicken, it's gonna burn!"

Ana rolled her eyes, stirring the chicken. "You better tell me how."

"All you need to know is that it's totally corny," Howie replied as he chopped at the meat.

"Why is it corny?"

"Because that's the way I am. The Dorough's are corny people when it comes to the people they love. Mella's like that, haven't you noticed?"

"Yeah, she's always kissing me..." Ana trailed, playfully shuddering.

Howie chuckled, kissing the top of her head. "That's how we show affection, Dear."

"It's contagious, isn't it?"

"Very. Soon, you're going to be like us!"

"I wouldn't mind it."

"Good," he turned from the stove for a minute and gave her a deep kiss.

Ana moaned softly against his lips, allowing her good hand to hook around his neck. He pulled her close as the meat sizzled with the sounds of Melicia and AJ splashing in the pool. Yet, nothing seemed to bother them inside their passionate world. Ana smiled as they briefly broke their lips apart. "So, how are you going to pay me back?"

"You can keep asking me, but I'm not telling you," he smirked, caressing her left cheek.

"I'm going to drive you absolutely nuts if you don't tell me."

"That's the sacrifice I'm willing to make!"

"I'll stop kissing you till you tell me?" Ana tried.

"No you won't."

"Yes, I will."

Howie raised an eyebrow. "Really, now?"

"Yes, please tell me," she begged softly.

"Well..." Howie was about to tell her when he smelt something burning. "CRAP!"

"That was your pan of meat, not mine!" Ana chirped, taking her perfectly tanned chicken strips off of the heat.

Howie poured a little bit of water into the pan, stirring the slightly charred hamnurger. "You distracted me!"

"You should have told me," she said with a shrug of her shoulders.

"Caray, caray, caray..." he muttered, pouring the meat into a bowl after adding his own spices. "Ana, Baby, will you go and tell them it's time to eat?"

"If you tell me what's so corny about how you're paying me back," she answered, wrapping her arm around his neck when he finished the preparation. She slowly delivered small kisses to his bare neck.

"I-I, uh, I'm, uh..." Howie stuttered, shivering as he felt her lips on his skin. "It's like the t-typical candlelight--"

"Candlelight? Just candlelight?" she purred against his skin.

"Only candlelight," he whispered. "With roses, soft music and-- hey, I just told you my surprise!"

Ana smiled softly, kissing his neck a few more times. "Candlelight, roses, soft music? Sounds like you're trying to make me give up my vows."

"I wouldn't make you do anything you don't want to."

Ana chewed on her bottom lip for a moment, weighing her choices. She always told her mother that she would wait for marriage, but she loved Howie. And, now with her father's outburst, Ana just wanted to be loved. She just wanted to stop feeling numb and used. She needed Howie more than he realized. "I want to though," she answered quietly.

Howie's eyes grew wide at her words. "Y-You want to?"

"Yeah, I love you, Howie. I trust you and I want to..."

"You're sure about this? I mean, I love you so much, but I just don't want you to regret--"

"I'm not going to regret it," she confirmed quickly, thinking in the back of her mind that if she had her choice, he would be the one she married anyway.

A smile formed on Howie's lips as he leaned in and kissed her softly. "Alright. If you want to, then so do I."

"Are you sure you're not going to regret it?"

"Never. I love you too much to regret anything I do with you. To be honest... I wondered what it would have been like to make love to you when you first walked into this house..."

"No way," she laughed.

"Yes way," he contradicted, chuckling.

"Well, guess you're going to find out," she answered, leaning up to kiss him. She heard another shriek from outside in the pool. "I don't think tonight's going to work for your corny surprise, though. Since AJ can break into your room and all..."

"I can always suggest that they go back to his house," Howie replied, pulling her close. "They always like fooling around, wrestling and playing games anyways. May as well let them be alone at his house so we can be alone here."

"Aren't they going to get suspicious though? I mean, Clicky invited me over and all... I should stay with her..."

He shrugged a little. "It was just an idea, Babe."

"It's whatever you want."

"I would like some alone time with you... but you're right, how could I suggest them to leave without making it suspicious?"

Ana could only think about AJ and Melicia's schemes when they wanted alone time away from Howie. It just seemed rather ironic that Howie and Ana were now making plans to ditch Melicia and AJ. "Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky, and they'll want to go see another movie?"

"Yeah... maybe. Well, if not tonight... sometime soon," he gave her a sweet smile and another kiss before walking out onto the deck. "MELLA! BONE! DINNER'S READY!"

"WAIT!" AJ cried, running around the pool. With expert tactics, he jumped toward the raft that held Melicia. His feet hit the plastic raft, causing it to tip. Both spilled into the water, giving a final kiss beneath the water, before rising. "Got'er good!" AJ grinned with pride, winking at Melicia.

Howie laughed as Melicia jumped on AJ's back, trying to dunk him one more time before walking back inside. "Good one, man!"

"You little butthead!" Melicia whispered loudly, continuing to be on AJ's back as he walked out of the pool.

"I just wanted to give you another kiss," AJ murmured softly, before rising out of the pool. He smiled thankfully as Ana handed him a towel. Without thinking, he threw it against his back, wrapping both him and Melicia in the oversized towel.

"Next time do it so I don't have to get wet again," she replied, but was smiling as she quickly kissed the nape of his neck.

Howie didn't seem to notice as he walked back into the house, getting the table set. Gently, Melicia eased off of AJ's back, taking the towel with her. She grinned triumphantly as she hurriedly hugged Ana close to her soaking wet body. Ana groaned inwardly as Melicia soaked her tank top and boxers. "Is this how it's going to be all weekend, Clicky?"

"Yup!" Melicia laughed, kissing Ana's cheek again before going inside and up to her room to change back into shorts and a tank top.

"Do you know what we're doing tonight by chance?" Ana asked as AJ grabbed another towel. She felt somewhat unsure around him, since he only seemed to stare at her injuries. He looked at her as if he knew what had truly happened and it scared her.

"No, not really. Mella was talking about going out for a little bit, but I thought that maybe you would want to be with her tonight. You know, like a girls night thing."

"I'm not going to drag down Clicky's night. If she wants to go out with you, she mine as well go out with you. It's not like I'm going anywhere. I would probably crash early tonight anyway. So, if you want to take her out, go ahead, she loves you a lot," Ana answered, averting her eyes away from his.

"Are you sure?" AJ asked, raising an eyebrow. It was odd how Ana was insisting they leave for the night. He had thought maybe she wanted Melicia to stay and hopefully get the truth about her injuries.

"Yeah, Clicky shouldn't have to change her plans because she saw me bruised and wanted to make sure I have company. I can just head home anyway."

"Well..." AJ bit on his lip for a moment. It would be nice to get some alone time with Melicia. "You're positive that's okay?"

"Yeah, I'm positive. I don't want Clicky hating me because I'm cock-blocking her or something," Ana admitted quite bluntly, hearing Melicia yell for them to hurry.

AJ's cheeks turned red at the statement. "Uh, her and I aren't--"

"MCLEAN! LORD! GET YOUR BUTTS IN HERE!" Melicia yelled again.

"That's not what I meant. I just meant that I don't want her hating me because I'm preventing her from spending quality time with you," Ana answered simply, stepping into the kitchen.

Now that Ana had brought it up, images were floating through AJ's mind involving him and Melicia. "Damn you, girl..." he shook his head, chuckling as he walked into the kitchen.

"Well fuck you, too," Ana quipped, overhearing his mutter.

"You're the one who said it first!" he objected.

"When did I ever say damn you?" Ana asked in confusion, sitting beside Melicia at the table.

"Never mind, I apologize for saying damn you," AJ quickly said as he reached for the hamburger and taco shells.

"I find it amazing that these girls have gotten you whipped so fast, J," Howie chuckled, praying that no one noticed the slightly burnt meat, because he wouldn't hear the end of it.

"They don't have me WHIPPED," he objected, taking a bite of his taco. "I'm just being polite."

"We have him whipped," Melicia whispered to Ana.

"Definitely," Ana agreed, both of them looking over at AJ with innocent looks.

"What did you two say?" AJ demanded.

"That we were stupid to even think that we had you whipped," Ana replied sweetly.

"That's right," he agreed. Melicia immediately kicked him in the shin. "OW!"

"Too hot?" Melicia asked with a sugary-sweet smile.

"Yeah... burnt my tongue..." he muttered, going back to his food. She was going to get it later when they were alone.

Ana rolled her eyes as Howie quickly dove into his food. He stopped every few seconds to gaze over at her, but she diverted her attention. She picked out some chicken meat and a shell, eating lightly. Her stomach was still hollow with pain and she didn't want to be sick. Finally, after a few minutes of AJ rambling with food in his mouth, Ana leaned over to Melicia. She spoke quietly so only Melicia could hear, "AJ told me that you wanted to go out with him tonight, Clicky. You shouldn't have invited me over if you wanted to do that, but it's not a big deal. I'm just heading home and you two can go out. I'm exhausted anyway. I don't get much sleep when Dad's home."

"I still invited you over because I thought you and Uncle Howie could hang out," Melicia muttered as she grabbed another taco shell. "You don't have to be alone in your house when you can stay here and have company."

"I don't mind being alone, because I don't want to bother your uncle," Ana murmured, picking at the bits of chicken.

"You actually think you bother him?" Melicia snorted a little. "He loves it when you come over."

"Wonder why," she retorted softly, thinking of Howie's plans for her.

"Probably the same way anyone else does. You got this aura around you... it's contagious."

"You saying I'm a disease?"

"No! That was supposed to be a compliment."

"Gotcha," Ana replied with her impish smirk. She placed her fork down, feeling her stomach rumble in displeasure. "Look, I'm just saying that I want you to have fun with AJ. You two go out tonight and don't worry about me. I'll just meet up with you tomorrow and teach you to surf. Then we can talk about whatever your dying to talk to me about, because I can see it in your eyes."

"Well... alright. You know I can't help but worry, it's my nature."

"I'm just tired and bruised. Just normal fatigue from getting the crap kicked out of me...by the waves."

"Yeah, those waves can be hard, from what I've heard," Melicia agreed, her stomach knotting a little as an image of Ana's dad twisting her arm until it snapped appeared in her mind.

"Just have fun with AJ. He seems like a great guy to marry," Ana teased, gently nudging Melicia's shoulder.

A blush immediately formed on Melicia's tan cheeks as she nudged Ana back. "Callete, hermanita."

"So, what are you girls whispering about?" Howie finally asked, noticing the blush firmly set against his niece's cheeks.

"Nothing really. Clicky's trying to con me into going to some stupid movie with her, but I keep telling her that romance isn't my department. I'm tired and all. So, I figure I'm vollunteering AJ for the assignment so Clicky doesn't whine my ear off... And then I'll head home to bed, I'm just beat." Ana replied, setting up the necessary guidelines for AJ and Melicia to follow for a sweet getaway.

"AJ? Will you pleaaaaaaase take me to see this movie? Please, please, please?" Melicia begged, batting her eyelashes.

"Romance again?" AJ whined.

"Aw, come on. I watched Pulp Fiction with you, and that equals to TEN romance movies. Please?"

"D, is it alright if I take your whiny niece out to see some mind-numbing romance?" AJ groaned, sinking down into his seat as if sulking.

"Yeah, sure," Howie replied, not really paying attention to what AJ had just asked him.

"Really, Uncle Howie?" Melicia asked gratefully, noticing his eyes simply locked on Ana's form.

"No, I'm lying," Howie broke his gaze from Ana to give his niece a teasing look. "Of course you can go."

"Great! AJ, let's go get ready!" Melicia burst, immediately jumping away from her seat. AJ groaned loudly, trying to protest, but Melicia quickly yanked on his arm, sending him flying upward. She reached down to place a kiss on Ana's cheek, not noticing the bruise. Ana winced openly as Melicia pulled AJ up the stairs to get ready.

"You're pretty lucky, Howie," Ana murmured, sitting back in her seat, shielding her bruises.

"Yeah, because you basically got them out of the house," Howie winced as he saw pain in her eyes. "I'm guessing Mella forgot and she kissed your bruised cheek."

"She has a fleeting memory," Ana whispered, struggling to choke back the pain. She didn't even know how Howie could look at her without becoming sick. The bruises were disgusting. She was disgusting.

"She got that from hanging out with Nick as a kid," Howie replied, getting up and sitting next to her. "Do you want me to get some ice for that? And maybe some Tylenol?"

"How about morphine?" Ana murmured, still shielding her hideous face.

"I'm sorry, all out of that this week. The next best thing is Tylenol 3."

"Tylenol 3 with Codine? Hell yes, I'll take that and some ice, but I can get--"

"Nope, I'll get it. You stay here. If I see you've been up... well... that's to discuss later," he kissed the top of her head and ran upstairs for the pain killers.

Ana waited until he was gone and stood up. She walked toward the fridge, pulling out a tray of ice. She retrieved a plastic bag, filling it with the chips of ice. She then put everything away and sat back down. Carefully, she applied the coldness to her cheek and eye, sighing with absolute contentment as Howie arrived in the kitchen. "I got up," she stated simply, refusing to open her eyes.

"Had a feeling you were going to," she felt him kiss her forehead and heard a glass set on the table. "Hold out your hand."

She did what she was told, holding out her good hand as she balanced the ice against her face and allowed the coldness to seep through her cast also.

"That's two Tylenol 3. Put those in your mouth and I'll hand you a glass of water." She popped the pills in and held out her hand again. A cold glass was set in there and she took a large gulp of water.

"Thanks," she whispered, finally opening up her good eye. She smiled faintly as he seated himself beside her again. "I must look pretty hideous, huh?"

"Everyone has accidents, doesn't make them hideous. Just that the bruises aren't nice to look at. I think you still look beautiful."

Just wait till my dad's home for an entire month,' Ana thought with a depressing feeling sinking into her stomach. She held the ice firmly to her cheek and eye, finally turning to glance at Howie. "Are we really going to..."

"Like I told you, only if you want to. I'm not going to rush it."

"I want to, I just don't want you to think you're going to vomit while looking at my bruise."

"Hey, hey, hey. Your bruise doesn't bother me. I don't look at that when I look at you."

"I really want to, Howie," Ana decided with a small smile, pulling the ice away for a moment. "I want to love you, because that's all you've done for me. And, as stupid as it sounds, I want you to be my first, because I want us to last through eternity. I want to share my being with you..."

"And I'm always going to love you," Howie replied, leaning over to kiss her. "What you said was not stupid, because I feel the same way. Well, it's not my first time, but you know what I mean."

"Who knows, maybe my first will end up being my husband," Ana teased faintly, accepting the kiss, deciding not to think about what Howie's first time must have been like.

"It could end up that way," he gave her a smile as AJ and Melicia thundered down the stairs.

"You finally got ice on the surf damage?" AJ teased, reaching to ruffle Ana's locks, but she immediately jerked away from him. Melicia glared frostily at AJ, causing him to back up a little. "Um, sorry, have fun tonight, okay?" AJ decided to say, trying not to notice Ana's fearful manuever.

"Yeah, thanks," Ana muttered, giving Melicia a 'talk later' look before putting the ice back on her face.

"What are you two doing tonight, then?" Melicia decided to ask, pulling AJ back toward her.

Howie shurgged. "Don't know. Probably just kick back and watch tv or something. Well, that'll be me. Ana will be sleeping soon with the Tylenol 3 I gave her."

"Hell yes, I think I'm going to go crash on the couch now," Ana replied happily, standing up. She cross the long way through the kitchen to avoid AJ, disappearing into the living room.

"Um... I think she hates me again..." AJ trailed off, frowning.

"You know why she did that," Melicia answered quickly, not realizing that Howie was sitting there still.

"I was just trying to make light conversation!"

"That's not what I was talking about!"

"But I didn't--"

"Hey, aren't you two going to be late for the movie?" Howie interrupted the agrument.

AJ glanced down at his watch. "Yeah, we are. Sorry. Hey, D, be careful with the little firecracker in there. She's really tired, don't make her work out too hard, alright?"

"Does anything that comes out of your mouth NOT involve sex?" Howie rolled his eyes as he walked with them to the front door.

"Don't tell me you haven't even thought about it with that cute chick in the house to yourself," AJ teased, winking toward Melicia playfully.

"I'm pleading the Fifth on that, McLean," he replied as they reached the door.

"Was that a yes?"

"It wasn't a yes or a no. You best get out now before I have to open a can of whoop ass on you."

"That was a definite yes," AJ murmured toward Melicia with a laugh, stepping out the door before Howie slammed it.

"You are so perverted, you know that?" Melicia replied, smacking his arm as he opened the passenger door of the car for her.

"Yeah, but you love it," AJ replied with a sexy growl, leaning down to kiss her neck before shutting the door.
Chapter 19 by Starry Eyes
"Do you know what Ana said to me when you left to get changed?" AJ asked Melicia as he handed her a soda. He flopped down onto the couch, immediately wrapping his arm around Melicia's shoulder. They had skipped the movie entirely, just traveling back to AJ's house. AJ didn't care. He loved having Melicia all to himself.

"If I had left to go get changed, how would I know what she said?" Melicia teased, resting her head on his shoulder as she sipped on her soda.

"Bite me, smartass," AJ chuckled, ruffling her locks. "She told me that she didn't want to cock-block you."

"She said WHAT?!" Melicia choked on her soda.

"Yeah, that's what I thought! Can you imagine something so...I mean...that coming from her mouth? She just looks so innocent...." AJ exploded with laughter.

"I can't believe Ana said that to my boyfriend," Melicia groaned with a laugh as she set her soda on the coffee table.

"I told her were weren't do that kind of stuff... She apologized and stuff, saying that she knew you just liked to spend time alone with me... But it was so funny. Just Ana saying it out of nowhere."

"Yeah... out of nowhere..." Melicia trailed off. The hinting Ana had made was something that had been on her mind lately.

"You alright, Babe?" AJ asked, leaning over to kiss her cheek.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine," she lied, grabbing her soda and chugging the whole thing.

"Fine and needing a sugar rush, yeah, alright."

"Well, you would need it too if sex was the only thing on your mind and your boyfriend doesn't want it yet," Melicia blurted.

"Excuse me?" AJ wheezed.

Melicia's eyes grew wide as she realized what she said, starting to get off the couch. "N-Nothing. Forget it."

AJ reached outward, grabbing her by the shoulders. She yelped in surprise, falling backward onto the couch. AJ quickly straddled her to prevent her from leaving. "Sex has been on your mind?"

"Yeah... I know you want to wait until we got married, but--"

"But you want to have sex?"

"Yeah. I do," Melicia tore her gaze away from AJ's. The look that was in them made her heart beat fast. She knew he didn't want to have sex right then, what was the point of talking about it?

"Why?"

"Maybe because I love you. And it just seems like a natural thing to do when someone's in love."

"The only reason I didn't want to have sex with you, Mella, was because I didn't want to push our relationship. I love you, Baby. More than you realize. But I just didn't want you thinking that you were like every other girl I dated, because you're not. I just wanted to show you what we had was real..."

Melicia finally looked back at AJ, framing his face with her hands. "Alex... Sweetheart, I knew what we had was real when you told me you loved me. The way you said it and the look in your eyes... I just knew."

"I just wanted to do things right--"

"And you have! Oh my God, you have. No boyfriend from the past has treated me as well as you have. You make me feel like... feel like..." she tried to explain, but couldn't.

"Feel complete?" AJ tried, using his own source of feelings.

"Yeah. Something I haven't felt since my mom died..."

"I'll always be here for you, Baby," AJ promised, leaning down to kiss her softly. Melicia wrapped her arms around his neck, making the kiss deeper.

AJ felt his heart start to hammer against his chest as Melicia pulled him down against her. It was as if they were the perfect link. As if God had crafted them specifically for one another. He moaned softly, entangling his hands into her dark locks. "I love you," he whispered when they parted lips for just a moment.

"I love you, too. More than anything," she replied, one of her hands trailing down his chest and rested on his belt buckle.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" AJ asked, overlapping his hand with hers.

"If I wasn't sure, my hand wouldn't be right where it is," she leaned up and kiss him again.

"I just don't want to do anything crazy that you're going to think back on and loathe--"

"I would never loathe doing anything with you. Never, Alex."

"You're really beautiful, you know that?"

"You're more beautiful than me," she smirked.

"No, Baby, I'm more handsome than you. Not beautiful. God, I'd never hear the end of that," AJ groaned, leaning down to kiss her once more. He'd rather take it slow and reap benefits than hurry and loose the spark.

Melicia just grinned, knowing what she said would worry him the next day if she brought it up. Her hand plunged into AJ's growing spikes. "Your hair is getting longer, Alex."

"Do you like it or not?"

"You could have hair down to the floor or be bald and I would like it."

"Bald... I did bald... I kind of liked it..."

"We can talk about going bald tomorrow," she pulled him in for a kiss, crushing his lips against hers.

He allowed the kiss to continue, but felt both of her hands slide down to the buckle. He quickly pulled away, causing her to give a questioning look. "You don't want your first time to be on a couch do you? I mean, my bed is fucking awesome."

Melicia laughed, a littl nervous. "I haven't even seen your room lately. We just end up here every time I come over."

"It's whatever you want, Baby."

"Let's go up to your room," she decided.

"Alright, Baby. I promise that I'll take it slow and we won't do anything that you don't want to do. We're going to let it last all night, Baby. All night, because I love you and you're worth every second," AJ promised, leaning down to brush a kiss on her forehead. He climbed off Melicia's hips and helped her up. She was about to walk towards the stairs when AJ swept her into his arms, causing a squeal to escape her lips.

"It's all about you tonight, Sweetheart," AJ promised, kissing her deeply as they walked up the steps toward an unknown destination.

*~*~*

Ana moaned softly as she heard someone faintly call her name. She slipped deeper into her dreamless slumber until someone grabbed her shoulders. Instantly, Ana's mind flashed with danger from her father's repeated interuptions in her sleep to where he always injured her. She pulled herself quickly from slumber, jumping upward, and leaping over the side of the couch. "Look, Dad! I didn't mean to doze off. I know I'm supposed to be reading... Arthroplasty is surgical correction of a deformed or injured joint. See, got it!" she yelped, struggling to orient herself.

"Honey, it's me. Howie. You fell asleep on the couch."

Ana ran her good hand across her face, waking herself quickly. She opened her eyes to see Howie sitting on the couch in absolute wonder. Ana sighed heavily, leaning against the back of the couch with relief. She really needed to get a grip on things. "Jezz, I'm sorry, Howie."

"There's no need to be sorry. Everyone gets like that once in awhile," Howie gave a simple shrug.

Ana carefully climbed over the back of the couch, plopping back down beside Howie. Trying to forget her outburst, she leaned over and brushed her lips against Howie's lips. "You're going to end up thinking I'm absolutely insane one of these days..." Ana trailed.

"No, I won't. You've seen my friends. I went completely insane years ago," Howie chuckled, kissing her back.

"I'll accept that diagnosis..."

"Hey!" he exclaimed with a smile.

"You opened the door, I just shut it," she replied innocently, leaning back on the end of the couch for support.

"Yeah, I know." Howie crawled over to her end of the couch and sat next to her.

"So, what'd you do while I was sleeping?" she asked as Howie settled next to her, their bodies touching. Ana tried to forget the intensity of the heat exploding against her brain from his mere touch.

"After cleaning up the kitchen I just sat down and watched you sleep," he replied, leaning over to kiss her neck.

"Why'd you watch me sleep?" Ana asked, shying away from the kiss on her neck because it was her most sensitive area.

"Because you looked like an angel."

"I'm far from an angel."

"Well, you look like one sleeping," Howie objected, trying to kiss her neck again. He had a feeling of why she shied away before.

"That tickles!" Ana squealed, trying to cover her neck.

"But you like it," Howie insisted.

"Yeah, I do, but it tickles!"

"Tickles in a laughing way or tickles in another?"

"Say what?" Ana asked, confused.

"Tickles like you want to laugh. Or tickles like it's sending sparks through your body, making you want something else?" Howie explained softly, letting his fingers trace lightly along her bare shoulder. He felt her shiver beneath his touch.

"Both," Ana answered seriously.

"Then you wouldn't mind me doing that tonight?"

"No..." Ana trailed, knowing exactly what he was getting at.

"Are you sure you want to do this tonight? Because we don't have to. We could wait--"

"You were determined to do it before, why are you trying to get out of it tonight?" Ana interrupted with question. She found her mind cloudy with questions about herself from his stalling. Maybe the bruises and broken arm really did bother him. Maybe she wasn't the one he loved. Maybe he just wanted to break it off easily. Maybe she was too young.

"Because I don't want your first time to be something you'll regret. I want to do this more than anything, Ana. I just want to make sure you want to."

"I'm not going to regret it. I've made my decision. I really care for you and love you. Like I said before, I want to share my entire being with you," Ana corrected, still somewhat unsure of his reasoning.

"I love you, too. Always will," Howie leaned in and kissed her deeply.

Ana allowed him to lean against her for the kiss. He brought his hands against her cheeks, gingerly cupping her face. Ana felt her heart beat a little faster as the numbness started to pool away. She finally felt wanted. When they parted for a moment, Ana made sure his body still leaned against her own. "You'll always love me? Even if we have to part?"

"We could be world's apart and I would still love you."

"But if we break--"

"We won't."

"How do you know?"

Howie only smiled and kissed her again. "Because I just do."

"So you think you're going to be my first and last?" she asked with a small smile.

"I don't think that. I know that."

"Oh, really?" Ana asked, wondering if he had even pictured her in a white wedding dress.

"Yeah, really. I can see us... getting married someday."

"Married?" she asked, fearful that he might actually be able to read her mind through the changes in her eyes.

"Yeah. You know, minister, bridesmaids, best man, white wedding dress for you--"

"Hold up, Big Man On Campus, DRESS?"

"Uhh... well, I kind of forgot that you don't like dresses... how about a really nice pair of white pants?"

"How about a white bikini and I'll even go the distance to wear a long sarong with a beach wedding?"

Howie's eyes grew bright as he imagined Ana in that outfit, with him right beside her. "That sounds even better."

"I might even let my curls down," Ana laughed.

"I won't hold my breath on that, though it would be nice," he chuckled, pulling her in for another kiss. He made a bold move and pulled her on top of him.

"Hello!" Ana whistled as their foreheads connected softly. She hadn't expected him to do that. Instead of fighting it, she slipped her arms around his shoulders, placing a gentle kiss on his forehead. Howie leaned forward, kissing her front portion of her neck. Ana's eyes fluttered for a brief moment. "Okay, I'll wear my curls down."

"Good," he smiled against her skin as he continued his kisses, going farther down the front of her neck.

Ana rested her forehead against his, allowing her eyes to drift close. The soft feathery touches from his kisses, sent a tizzy of excitement throughout her entire core. She sighed softly, indulging in the pleasure of having a man love her.

"Are you enjoying this, Baby?" Howie whispered as he stopped kissing and started to suckle on her soft skin.

"More than you probably realize," she breathed softly, allowing her good hand to trace slowly down his back. Continuing his kisses on her neck, Howie sat up and cradled Ana in his arms.

"I love you," Ana whispered softly, almost melting into his arms. Her heart hammered in anticipation, knowing exactly what she was doing. She knew in some part of her heart that her mother would forgive her, because Ana knew she wanted to marry Howie.

"I love you too," he kissed her softly, getting off the couch and walking up to his bedroom.

"Take it slow though, okay? I'm a little scared." Ana reminded when he laid her against the bed, watching Howie immediately pull his shirt away from his body.

"Of course I will. I know you're scared, but I promise I won't hurt you," he replied, climbing onto the bed. He ran a hand through her curls. "I would rather hurt myself than let anything happen to you."

"You're my one and only," Ana whispered, leaning up to kiss him.

"Forever," Howie added, pulling himelf on top of her as they kissed.
Chapter 20 by Starry Eyes
The sun shone brightly the next morning, directly into AJ's eyes. "Damn sun," he grumbled, covering his eyes.

"About time, Baby! C'mon!" Melicia announced brightly, bouncing on the bed. AJ peeked his eyes open for a moment to see Melicia dressed in a pair of jean shorts with her bright yellow bikini. AJ tilted his head to the side in absolute confusion, causing Melicia to laugh. She had so much energy from last night that it was unbelievable. "We have to meet Ana and Uncle Howie at the beach! Ana's teaching me to surf!"

"You have WAY too much energy this early in the morning," AJ groaned, turning onto his stomach and covering his head with a pillow. "Can't you be like normal people and SLEEP?"

"You made me have energy, Baby," Melicia answered with a high-pitched coo.

"I ain't getting up, Sweetheart. Nope. Ain't gonna happen."

"I'll make it worth your while later," Melicia growled, climbing on top of his back. She removed part of the cover, starting to kiss the back of his neck.

AJ shivered at the kisses, immediately turning around so she straddled his hips. "I have to wait?"

"I called Ana and she told me she's heading to the beach! I can't miss my lessons!" Melicia whined, holding her hands out for emphasis.

"Alright, alright, alright," he chuckled, taking her hands and kissing her before hopping out of bed. Melicia shrieked in surprise and toppled off the edge.

"MCLEAN!" Melicia groaned.

"Sorry, Baby!" AJ bit back on his laughter, walking over to where she fell and held out his hands to help her up.

Without hesitation, Melicia grabbed his hands and yanked hard. AJ cursed as he went flying downward. Melicia jumped up, smiling boldly. She wiped her hands as if clearing the dust. "Now get your naked ass dressed!"

"You like this naked ass," AJ muttered as he got up and went into his closet.

"It was a good piece," Melicia admitted with a sly smirk, sitting on the bed.

"Is that all I am to you? A good piece of ass?" AJ mimicked a drama queen as he came out in red swimming shorts and white wifebeater. "Well, Miss Dorough, I see how it is!"

"I'm the motherfucking P.I.M.P," Melicia sang with a smirk.

"Yeah, you wish. 50 Cent wannabe," AJ chuckled as he walked over to the bed and kissed her deeply.

*~*~*

"You should tell them that if they watch us any harder they might burn holes through our skin," Ana murmured playfully to Melicia as she carefully scrubbed her purple surfboard imprinted with various images of faeries. Melicia was scrubbing up a surf board that AJ had purchased for her before they came to the beach. It was a colored with licking flames incircling a crowned heart, signifying their love. AJ and Howie sat further up on the beach, keeping a steady eye on both girls as several boys past them, looking enviously. Ana didn't seem to notice the other boys as much as she kept glancing back at Howie with a blush in her cheeks. She never felt so loved before, but now she was concentrating on teaching Melicia to surf.

"Yeah, no kidding," Melicia shook her head with a chuckle as a blonde surfer gave her a wink. She saw AJ glare at the guy and he quickly scurried off. "Those two are really protective."

"It's not like we don't look hot, though," Ana laughed with a roll of her eyes. Ana was wearing her favorite cherry-printed bikini top that wrapped around her chest with no string and a pair of red boy-cut bikini bottoms. Melicia had decided to wear AJ's favorite yellow bikini with high cut bottoms and a bra-type of top

"I ain't gonna deny that. We are SMOKING," Melicia grinned as she continued to scrub at her board. "Now tell me... am I gonna kill myself the first time surfing?"

"No, it takes a couple weeks before you feel overly confident to try a huge wave, then you'll kill yourself," Ana answered simply, shrugging her bare shoulders.

"Thanks, Ana. I feel SO MUCH better," Melicia groaned, stopping to look at her board for a minute. "I just can't stop looking at how cool my board design is."

"He bought it for you, didn't he?"

"Yeah," she gave a sheepish smile, running a hand over the crowned heart. "He said the symbol represents our love."

"He's really got you hooked, huh? I mean, you love him a lot right?" Ana asked, continuing to work on her board. She needed it just perfect before she hit the waves. Her mother had taught her how to surf and her board had been a present from her mother. She always wanted to rock when she hit the waves - for her mother.

"Yeah, I really do love him... and it's even deeper after last night," Melicia's face blushed a little as she remembered last night.

"What happened last night?"

"You know how you told AJ that you thought you were cock-blocking me?" Melicia said somewhat shyly, starting to grease her board yet again. Her cheeks were a furious red as Ana's eyes grew wide in surprise. "Well, let's just say that you un-cocked your block."

"You had sex with him?" Ana asked softly in surprise, unable to believe the irony of the situation. Howie had wanted Melicia and AJ out of the house so he could have sex with Ana. Yet, AJ and Melicia had wanted out of the house so they could have sex. She placed her cast against her mouth to keep from laughing.

"Yeah... it was so scary at first, but... damn. Now I know why all those fans want AJ in their bed," Melicia laughed a little.

"Wow, guess I did a better job at un-cock-blocking than I did at cock-blocking. Think I took up the wrong profession."

"Yeah, you did a really good job," Melicia looked back at AJ and gave him a wink. "So, what did you and Uncle Howie do last night?"

Ana was about to reply, but a young surfer approached the girls in a quick pace. He had light blonde locks with gleaming emerald eyes. He was about AJ's height with the start of a well-chiseled form. He was deadly serious as he spouted off some of Eminem's lyrics, "They call me Superman / Leap tall hoes in a single bound, I'm single now / Got no ring on this finger now / I'd never let another chick bring me down / in a relationship, save it bitch / Babysit? You make me sick / Superman ain't savin shit / Girl you can jump on Shady's dick."

Melicia was utterly horrified that the young man had signified that both girls were the obvious "hoes" and that they should be the ones performing sexual favors to him. She saw out of the corner of her eye both Howie and AJ rise from their seats on towels, obviously hearing the young man, but Ana stepped forward, poking him in the chest. Melicia saw the intensity in her eyes as she slammed the rest of the lyrics back at the boy without hesitation, "Straight from the hip, cut to the chase / I tell a muh'fuckin slut to her face / Play no games, say no names / Ever since I broke up with what's-her-face / I'm a different man, kiss my ass / Kiss my lips, bitch why ask? / Kiss my dick - get my cash? / I'd rather have you whip my ass / Don't put out, I'll put you out / Won't get out, I'll push you out / Puss blew out, poppin shit / Wouldn't piss on fire to put you out / Am I too nice to buy you ice? / Bitch if you died, wouldn't buy you life / What you tryin to be my new wife? / What you Mariah? / Fly through twice."

The boy and Ana stared intensely at one another as AJ and Howie started to hurry their pace, assuming something terrible would happen. Melicia was preparing to grab Ana and run, but without warning, Ana lunged toward the boy with laughter. The boy quickly seized Ana up into his arms, careful of her cast as he hugged her tightly as he ran toward the ocean surf. "You're such an asshole, Pierce! Thinking I don't know some Slim Shady and trying to scare poor Clicky like that! You don't even know the girl!" Ana hollered loud enough for Melicia to hear as she was thrown into the surf with the boy named Pierce.

"I'm going to kick that kid's ass so hard that he's going to shit out of his nose!" Howie hissed loudly as he stopped with AJ at Melicia's side. He watched the boy dive beneath the waves with Ana in his arms. Howie could only think the worst of the situation as his words reverberated in his head about always protecting Ana.

"Uncle Howie, that's one of Ana's friends. Chill out!" Melicia replied, laughing a little as she watched Ana and her friend wrestle in the water. "You know that she basically has all guy friends."

Howie didn't reply as he watched Ana drag the young man out of the water toward them. The boy seemed eager as he grabbed Ana by the hips, hoisting her onto his shoulders without a second thought. Both were soaking wet when they approached the group as Ana rode on his shoulders. "Guys, this asshole is Pierce, one of my oldest friends. He thought he was going to be a smartass and try to throw off my surf today, but he's very sorry for scaring you, Clicky. Pierce, this is Melicia, apologize to her."

"Sorry about that, I just like messing with Ana when I have the chance," Pierce answered good-naturedly, pinching one of Ana's bare legs hanging against his chest.

"It's alright, don't worry about it," Melicia replied with a smile. "How long have you guys been friends?"

"Since she moved here with Mr. and Mrs. Lord, so that was around five years old? I was seven... She was cute even then," Pierce answered, wrapping his arms tightly around her legs.

"You were just born cute, eh, Banana?" Melicia teased.

"That's what he thinks anyway," Ana answered from atop his shoulders, trying to avoid the dark glare Howie was giving Pierce. She tapped Pierce on the shoulder. He grabbed her by the waist, gently easing her to the ground. "Pierce, this is Howie and AJ. Clicky's Uncle and her uncle's friend."

"Nice to meet you both," Pierce replied, holding out his hand out to them.

AJ was the only one to shake Pierce's hand, because Howie crossed his arms against his chest. Howie leaned back in a guarded posture, sizing up the boy. "You need to watch what you're doing. You could have ruined Ana's cast. You're lucky that it's waterproof." Howie scolded.

"I've broken bones before, Howie. They've all been waterproof and Peirce knows that," Ana shot back.

Pierce quickly cupped Ana's mouth with his hands to keep her going overboard. He offered an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, Sir. Yes, I should have been careful. I promise I will be careful next time. I just figured I'd soak Ana before she actually hit the waves to show her stuff."

Ana took a deep breath, swallowing the words she had subconsciously made. She completely understood how Melicia felt the day AJ burst into the party. She shrugged her shoulders toward Melicia, starting to speak, "Let's get you out on the waves--"

"Ana, if you're teaching Melicia how to surf, why don't you show her your stuff first? You're the shit when it comes to it," Pierce suggested, gingerly picking up Ana's favorite board.

"Because they don't want to see me surf, Pierce," Ana scolded, obviously embarrassed.

"I just wanted to teach you, not show off, Clicky," Ana answered.

"You're not going to show off. If I watch you, I can see how it's supposed to go as I learn more."

"Just go, Ana. You know you love to hit the big waves and you'll have to take little waves with Melicia till she's ready," Pierce urged. Ana chewed on her bottom lip, nodding slightly. She bent down, attaching the band to her ankle that latched her surf board to her body. She then took the board out of Pierce's hands and when jogging into the surf. She laid herself flat on the board, slowly paddling toward the deeper waters. "Mrs. Lord taught Ana to surf. That board was a gift from her mom. The girl is awesome. Never once had a seriously spill in the water. She shows up half the guys on this beach," Pierce boasted, sitting down on the sand between Melicia and Howie as AJ sat on Melicia's other side.

"She's never had a bad accident out there?" Melicia asked, remembering quite clearly that Ana said she had a spill surfing which broke her arm and gave her the bruise. "Ever?"

Pierce whistled loudly as Ana's board caught one of the largest waves. She immediately jumped up, steadying herself in the middle of the board. Once she was balanced, she swiftly twisted and turned against the wave. She even managed the courage to jump the top of the wave, soaring in the air, and landing gracefully as the wave continued to tumble. "Never. I mean, she's hit the water pretty hard, but nothing serious. Just a sore arm here and there. The girl has talent," Pierce confirmed.

"Wow. That's really cool," she replied, giving AJ a worried look.

"Wait, you're wrong there. Ana broke her arm and got that bruise on her last week from surfing," Howie corrected, obviously stepping into the conversation with confusion.

"No, she didn't. I rode the waves when she rode the waves last week. She was absolutely fantastic. She messed up her arm when her Dad came home. She was so excited that she tripped on the steps, falling forward and twisting her arm," Pierce corrected.

"She told you she fell down the stairs?" AJ clarified.

"Yeah, that's what everyone at school has heard," Pierce replied as he went back to watch Ana surf.

"But she told us that she broke her arm and got the bruise from surfing," Howie stressed

"That wouldn't be possible, Sir. That girl is too good to hurt herself like that surfing."

"Why would she lie to us?" AJ asked, deciding maybe this was the best time to suggest that Ana's father was hurting her. That way, if someone else brought it up, Ana couldn't blame Melicia or himself.

"Maybe she just didn't want to admit to you guys that she's a ditzy klutz at times," Pierce answered, shrugging as if it were nothing. He whooped loudly as Ana coasted the wave till it died. With graceful agility, Ana dove cleanly into the water, surfacing, and then starting swimming toward the shore. "You guys are new to her life, maybe she was embarrassed, Sir."

"Yeah, maybe." AJ frowned as Ana stood up and walked towards them, grinning.

"Pierce, did you see me hit the air with that bad boy?!" Ana enthused, psyched from her clean run. She unlatched herself from the board and set it down before running toward Pierce. "That was the shit of a wave!"

"Yeah, I saw it, girl! You kicked some ass!" Pierce hooted, giving her a high five.

"That was about the sweetest run I've ever had. The wave was about one of the biggest! Then those dudes down in the waves, they were skitzing. Didn't think some girl in a bikini could hit the heights!" Ana laughed as Pierce hugged her tightly. She turned to see the rest of the group looking grave and quickly gave Pierce a questioning look.

He shrugged, leaning in to whisper. "They thought you hurt yourself surfing, but when I told them you fell down the stairs, they got all quiet."

"Shit, you told them?" Ana whispered back with a groan.

"Well, I didn't know I couldn't!"

"You should have just let them believe that I hit the waves hard," Ana contradicted.

"But you never hit the waves like that. You're the best, and that was like an insult--"

"Pierce, did anyone ever tell you that you talk to much?" Ana interupted, deciding that she'd face the bridge when Melicia pushed her over it. She would think up another excuse, because that's all she knew how to do.

"Everyday," he shrugged helplessly. "I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"You're lucky that Dad likes you so much and that I think you're cute," she answered, lightly punching his arm with her cast. She winced a little at the shooting pain, but brushed it off. She finally decided to approach the deathly quiet group. "What'd you think, Clicky?"

"That was really cool, Ana. I don't think I could ever be that good, though," Melicia replied.

"It takes practice," Ana replied, noticing the bizarre looks she was recieving from the group. Ana tried to ignore it as best as possible. "I'll just start you with trying to balance yourself on the water. That takes enough energy."

"My balance ain't that good to being with," Melicia glanced over at AJ, who was giving Ana an odd look. She nudged him the ribs. "Just be happy you don't have to teach Mr. I-Got-My-Foot-Run-Over."

"You guys don't board? Florida boys that don't board?" Ana asked, glancing at AJ and Howie incrediously.

"Usually we go jet or waterskiing," Howie replied.

"I could teach you both if you like? Or at least Pierce and I can get you started while I get Clicky started?" Ana suggested. Her heart started to ache from the look of betrayal in Howie's eyes.

"AJ will try it with me. Won't you, Alex?" Melicia volunteered AJ. "Then I won't look like a total idiot by myself."

"AJ!" Howie and Melicia groaned in unison.

"Ask me what?" Ana interjected.

"How you didn't get scared going on top of the wave--"

"Melicia, don't bullshit!" AJ interjected.

"Don't swear at me and it's not your business to ask!"

"Oh..." Ana trailed, knowing it was better just to get it out in the open. She glanced toward Pierce, almost trying to read his eyes. She glanced back to the others, taking a deep breath. "I just... I didn't want you guys to know that I was a huge klutz. Tripping and breaking an arm and bruising my face... Not too slick..."

"You should have known it would have been better to tell us the truth," Howie scorned lightly. "We all can be klutzy like that sometimes."

"I didn't really think about it," Ana answered with a small shrug of her shoulders. She felt horrible for lying, but she had to protect herself. She glanced to AJ and Melicia, both looked as if they didn't believe a word she had spoken.

"Next time, tell the truth instead of making things up... okay?"

"Fine," she replied, choking down a sob forming in her throat. She really needed to stick to the same stories. The conversation could have been worse.

"Are you guys ready to head out on the surf? Or is this not a good time to ask?" Pierce asked, breaking the silence.

"Probably a bad time, Pier. Why don't we just call it quits and I catch a ride home with you?" Ana suggested, bringing her good hand up to her throat.

"You're going back to your house? Why?" Melicia blurted.

"Because it doesn't make sense to surf with everything up in the air, Clicky. I mean, I'm sorry that I shifted my words and all... But I had my reasons... I mean, damn, I just don't know," Ana answered in confusion, feeling her emotions knotting inside her stomach.

"I understand why you did, but someone over here had to open their big mouth and make you uncomfortable," Melicia shot AJ glare. "And now--"

"You understand why I did?" Ana interupted warily.

"Well, you obviously had your reasons, why woudn't I understand that?"

"Because not many would understand..." Ana replied, obviously hinting to things deeper than she was willing to admit.

"I would if you would tell me."

"It's not something to tell."

"I thought we could tell each other anything."

"Not this, Clicky."

"Why not this?"

Ana hesitated, causing Pierce to jump to her rescue. He wrapped his arms around her, bringing her close. Howie's eyes blazed with jealousy as Pierce kissed Ana's cheek. "Let's just hit the waves. It's obviously not a big deal, otherwise Ana would have told me. Trust me, the girl is fine. She just has this thing about privacy. So, why don't we teach you guys how to master waves?"

"We don't have boards," Howie stressed.

"You can borrow mine," Pierce suggested, just wanting to attention shifted off of Ana.

"Are you sure you want amateurs like us on your board?" AJ asked.

"Mine doesn't have any special meaning like Ana's does--"

"Pierce!" Ana growled.

"What?! It doesn't!"

"Why don't you just tell them my whole life history!"

"Sorry, jeez," Pierce wince as he grabbed his board. "Do either of you want to try?"

"Might as well," AJ stated, standing up. He helped Melicia off the sand and she grabbed her own board. AJ saw something in Howie's eyes, alerting AJ that Howie wanted to speak privately to Ana. "Why don't you start teaching us, Pierce? Let Ana grab a drink of water or something and meet us down there?"

"Yeah, sure," Pierce gave Ana a meaningful look before leading AJ and Melicia down to the water.

Ana sighed heavily, reaching for the cooler and pulling out a soda. She assumed Howie would follow suite and she'd be left alone to gather her wits. She never thought she would have to strain so much in a friendship or relationship. She popped off the cap, taking a long swallow, trying to forget. For once, Ana actually wanted some strong alcohol to numb away the pain.

A hand reached out and touched her good arm. A yelp esacaped her lips as she jumped, turning around to see it was Howie. "I thought you were going out to surf--"

"Not only about that, Ana. Ever since you had this accident, it seems like I can't even surprise you without seeing you jump 20 feet into the air. You seem... distant..."

"Was I distant last night?"

"When you first came over--"

"I mean last night when we were together?"

"No, not when we were making love--"

"I'm fine, see? I just get startled easily. It's not a big deal."

Howie was about to object, but just nodded. "Alright. You weren't kidding when you said you have a lot of guy friends, were you?"

"No, I wasn't. Pierce is a great guy," Ana answered, sighing with absolute relief. She glanced down to the surf to see AJ tumble off of Pierce's board. Melicia just stood in the water, obviously waiting for Ana.

"I think Mel's waiting for you," Howie replied.

"Yeah, you sure you don't want to come down and learn? I'll let you use my board?" Ana offered.

Howie shook his head, finally smiling. "No, go ahead, Baby. I'm just going to watch."

"Why won't you come out and try it?"

He was about to explain when AJ yelled and fell face first into the water. "THAT'S why."

"It's not that hard. AJ's just a ditz. I promise you won't fall. I mean, the boy is only sitting on the board. Please? For me?" Ana begged softly, leaning up against him, asured that no one could see them on the surf.

Howie sighed heavily, kissing her gently. "You know I always give in when you beg."

"My Momma gave me my board on my sweet sixteen. I always used to use her board, but she did the artwork on mine," Ana admitted for the first time, finally allowing some pieces of her wall to crumble. "It's good luck."

"You were really good out on the waves."

"Learned from the best," Ana answered, remembering how her father had pitched a fit when she and her mother traveled back from their first lesson.

"She must have been an amazing person."

"She protected me."

"I'm sure she still does, wherever she is."

"Yeah," Ana trailed, suddenly closing back beneath her walls. She leaned up and brushed a quick kiss on Howie's cheek, pulling him toward the surf. She grabbed her board and entered the water with Howie behind her. She dove, resurfacing next to Pierce. She wrapped her arms tightly around Pierce's neck, whispering to him, "Don't let Howie fall and you can come home for dinner with Dad and me tomorrow."

"You got yourself a deal," Pierce agreed as AJ got off the board and handed it to Howie.

"No more! No more! No more!" AJ choked, rubbing his red cheeks.

"You can keep trying, Ana gave me her board," Howie replied with laughter.

"Someone take the board, I'm tired of falling!"

"Get your ass back up there!" Melicia ordered.

"But Mella--"

"GO!" she ordered loudly, raising her eyebrows for emphasis. Obviously telling him if he didn't try harder that she wouldn't try hard to get away from the house tonight.

"Alright, alright," AJ muttered to himself as he climbed back onto Pierce's board.

Pierce slowly instructed both of the men how to properly stand on the board. AJ and Howie both stood at the same time, wobbling greatly. Then both began to fall at the same time, but Pierce reached out to steady Howie, letting AJ plunge yet again into the cold water. Ana rolled her eyes, facing Melicia. "You ready to get up on your board?" Ana asked, hoping whatever tensions had developed earlier had dissipated.

"Yeah, I think so. But are you going to let me fall in like Pierce is letting AJ?" Melicia asked, trying not to laugh as AJ resurfaced, cursing loudly.

"Pierce and I have a bargin," Ana answered somewhat slyly, knowing it was for her benefit more than Pierce's benefit. Her father absolutely adored Pierce, so the abuse would at least be stalled as long as Pierce hung around.

"Ah-huh," Melicia just clicked her tongue, grinning. "Let's get started."

Ana nodded, helping Melicia mount her board. She quickly instructed Melicia on hanging her legs on each side of the board while sitting to steady. "Clicky, before I teach you to stand...the air is clear with us, right?"

"Definitely. We're cool, girly."

"You'll still kiss me?"

In repsonse, Melicia leaned over and kissed Ana's nonbruised cheek. "Yup!"

"Damn, I was hoping you'd be pissed off enough to let those slide," Ana cursed with her impish smile, listening to AJ crash yet again. When he resurfaced, Howie started to tease. In a sheer ounce of childness, AJ grabbed Howie's board and jerked it, causing the older man to topple.

"Alex!" Melicia scolded as the men resurfaced. "Leave Uncle Howie alone!"

"If I fall, he's going with me," AJ threatened, scrambling onto the board yet again.

Melicia rolled her eyes. "Sometimes I wonder why I put up with him."

"Because you love him," Ana stated simply, patting the board. She quickly instructed Melicia how to stand on the board without falling. She raised her eyes in question as Melicia nodded. "You sure you remember all that?"

"I'm a klutz, but not like Dumb and Dumber over there," Melicia replied as she heard two more splashes again.

"Okay," Ana stated simply, watching the two guys yet again climb onto the boards. She stepped back, watching Melicia rise on her board. Her legs were shaky in balancing the board, but she managed to stay up as AJ and Howie rose beside her. Ana was about to hoot, but Melicia swayed a little. She reached to catch Melicia, but Melicia hit AJ, and then AJ hit Howie, sending them all crashing into the icy waves. Ana winced as the large waves splashed against her and Pierce. She turned toward her old friend, smiling uneasily, "I'm definitely including alcohol in the dinner invitation, Pier."

"Freaking sweet," Pierce laughed as the three resurfaced.

"Mella, what the Hell was that for?" AJ sputtered as he climbed back onto the board.

"If I was going down, you both were coming down with me," Melicia mimicked, causing the others to laugh as AJ scowled.
Chapter 21 by Starry Eyes
"You didn't do too bad on the waves today, Clicky. There might be hope for you to soar with the best of us," Ana enthused as Melicia handed her a rootbear float and plopped onto the couch with her. Melicia instantly leaned her head against Ana's shoulder, sipping delightfully on her own float. Ana rolled her eyes, noticing Howie and AJ engaging in some kind of ironic conversation in the kitchen. She took a deep breath, taking a long swallow of her own float. No one had said anything more about her broken arm, which she was at least thankful for. "But, I have to say, Clicky. AJ has no hope of being a champ on a board. He better stick to jetskis."

"Yeah, I know," Melicia made a face as she remembered AJ falling down over and over. "He's a better dancer than a surfer. He's going to suffer my teasing for a long time."

"I think he might end up having a bruise on his ass," Ana chuckled.

"You mean his invisible ass," Melicia laughed as she sipped on her float. "And ooh, what a nice one it is."

"I think sex has changed you for the worst, Clicky."

"Nah, it's been nothing but good aftter that," Melicia grinned. "He just brought out a side in me no one has known before."

"Well maybe I should get laid, huh?"

"Are you serious?"

"Do you think I'm serious?"

Melicia bit her lip for a moment. "No, not really."

"You're learning then," Ana answered, bracing her cast against her lean stomach. She slouched into the couch, closing her eyes.

"You getting tired, Banana?"

"Nah, just resting," Ana replied carefully, still keeping her eyes closed. Having her father coming home tomorrow made her restless on top of having almost no sleep from the previous week with him being home. She was destined to crash sooner or later, but refused to let it be sooner.

"Sounds good to me," Melicia yawned a little, resting her head against Ana's shoulder again and closing her eyes.

"You got your ass kicked by the waves," Ana murmured teasingly.

"You're funny," she replied, poking Ana in the side.

"Hey!" Ana shrieked.

"You got your retorts, I got my own little ways. I know where you're ticklish!"

"Only one spot."

"And that's all I need," Melicia poked her side again.

"Okay, get off me!" Ana groaned, weasling herself out from beneath Melicia's body.

"Ah, you're no fun to tickle!" Melicia objected as she fell back onto the couch.

"No touchie," she retorted, sitting down on the opposite couch.

"No touchie right now," Melicia's dark eyes glittered.

"What do you mean right now?"

Melicia shrugged. "Something may come up when you least expect it."

"As long as it comes from my prince charming, fine."

"You have a prince charming already? Who is it? Is it that Pierce dude? C'mon, tell me, tell me, tell me!"

"I didn't say I had a prince charming, I just said that if prince charming might come up--"

"Did I hear you girls talking about me?" AJ spoke up as he came out into the living room.

"Thank God!" Ana breathed with relief.

Melicia didn't hear what Ana said as she got off the couch and tackled AJ. "If you think you're a prince charming..." she leaned down and whispered, "You're right!"

"You can be my princess," AJ answered, leaning up to quickly kiss her.

"Good!" she smiled before getting off the floor. AJ stood up and stretched, yawing loudly.

"Hey, D? I'm taking myself out of the living pool!" AJ called loudly, scratching his stomach. He looked to Melicia, winking. "I'll see you in the morning, alright?"

"Alright. Goodnight, Bone!" Howie called from the kitchen, where he was cleaning up.

"Catch you in a few minutes, Babe?" AJ whispered toward Melicia, kissing her cheek.

"More like 30 seconds," she whispered back, smiling. AJ turned and ran upstairs to her room.

"Don't get caught tonight," Ana warned as Melicia immediately snatched her sweatshirt from the couch. She noticed the eager look in Melicia's eyes and knew exactly how she felt. Ana wanted just as much to be alone with Howie.

"I'll be careful, don't worry." Melicia walked over and kissed Ana's cheek. "Goodnight, chica."

"Night, Clicky," Ana called as Melicia tromped up the stairs as if her life depended on it. Ana rolled her eyes, settling back down on the couch. She leaned her head back, closing her eyes. Somehow, Ana wished she could be as impulsive as Melicia.

"Finally alone again," Howie's voice interrupted her thoughts.

"Me or you?" she asked, still not opening her eyes.

"Both of us alone."

"Alone together is what you're implying?"

"That's an oxymoron, isn't it? But yes, that's what I mean."

"They both went to bed," Ana answered, peeking her eyes open finally. She gasped with a smile to find Howie standing right over her. She didn't even realize he had been that close.

"Scare you a bit?" Howie chuckled as he sat down next to her.

"No, for once you didn't."

"Good," he kissed her softly.

Ana couldn't help but smile when they parted. She snuggled against his side, feeling the warmth surrounding her. "How'd you like surfing?"

"It was a lot of fun. Probably helped that your friend Pierce helped me keep balance while AJ fell in all the time."

"Um...I made a deal with Pierce to keep you from falling..." she chuckled.

"Oh, did you, now?" Howie shook his head, laughing. "I should have known. He was acting really nice to me but ignored AJ the whole time."

"Well, I didn't want you to give up on surfing. I want you to come surfing with me sometimes... And it was a hell'uva deal, too," Ana replied with her usual smir.

Howie smiled, kissing her again. "Well, I thank you for doing that-- wait a minute, what kind of deal?"

"Well...it involves strawberries, alcohol, whip cream, chocolate sauce..."

"Hey, that's supposed to be for me!"

"It was the only way for Pierce to watch out for you on the waves!" Ana retorted innocently. "It'll only be for one entire night. No big deal."

"It is too a big deal! I don't want you galavanting with that boy--"

"Galavanting? It's just sex."

"It's just sex? That's all you think it is? Just that?"

Knowing that Howie might actually burst a blood vessel in his brain, Ana quickly straddled his legs. She leaned her arms against the back of the couch, slowly kissing his neck. He continued to rave for only a few seconds more before he succumbed to her soft kisses. "Pierce is just having dinner at my place tomorrow. Nothing extravagant. My Dad just enjoys when Pierce stops over and it saves me a lot of hassles."

"Th-that's all?" Howie stuttered, shivering at Ana's kisses on his neck.

"Alcohol is okay..." Howie whispered as his body started to heat up with passion.

"I don't know why you got so jealous today... As you can see, you're the only one I do this to," Ana murmured against his ear, nibbling gently on the earlobe before returning to his jaw and throat.

"I don't know, I just get protective of the person I love..." Howie wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her tightly against him.

"You're...just...going...to have...to trust...me," she whispered in between kisses delivered to his throat.

"Trust...okay," he whispered.

"I had a lot of fun last night," she told him, stopping her kisses.

"So did I. I'm hoping we'll have more nights of those to come."

"Me, too. I love you."

"I love you too," Howie smiled, pulling her in for a deep kiss.

"On that note," she mumbled when their lips softly parted, "I think it's time to say goodnight."

He sighed, running a hand through her curls. "You're right."

"I'll see you in the morning--"

"I thought you were going to stay in my room again."

"You want me--"

"In my room tonight. Yes, that's what I want."

"But what about AJ being able to--"

"I have something added to my door. He can't get in now."

"When did you do that?" she asked curiously.

"Um..." he bit his lip for a moment, thinking. "A couple of days after you went back home. Thought it would be a good idea since AJ seems to be spending a lot more time over here."

'If only you knew why,' Ana thought ironically. She curled down against him, resting her head against his chest. "Well, at least you'll get sleep now while him and Clicky on the prowl."

"Yeah, I know," he kissed the top of her head, hugging her tightly. "Well, shall we go up on to bed?"

"To sleep?" she asked, helping him up.

"Sleep, talk... whatever you want," he replied, giving her a wink before wrapping an arm around her waist and walking up the stairs.

"What about passionate sex then drifting off into a peaceful slumber?" she teased back.

"I wouldn't say no to that," he grinned, kissing her as they reached the top stairs. "I'll be right back. I'm going to tell Mella goodnight."

"Wait," Ana whined softly, her heart jumping to her throat. She knew Melicia would be dead within seconds if she didn't do something. Impusively, Ana reached out and grabbed Howie by the shirt, pulling him against her. She tightly connected their lips, pushing him carefully into the room, and topping against him on the bed. She smiled seductively as she straddled his hips, already tugging at his shirt. "I want to play. Let her sleep."

Howie's eyes grew wide at her spontanity. "Yes, ma'm."

Ana started to reach for her tank top, sliding off his hips. She sat down on the bed, gently revealing the upper portion of her leaned stomach. "Go lock the door, please."

Howie scrambled out of bed and locked the main lock then the deadbolt he had added higher above the doorknob. He turned around, a sweet smile on his face. "Have I told you lately how beautiful you are?"

"No," Ana answered, somewhat shyly, still having issues with the bruise that was turning different shades against her face.

Howie walked over and sat down next to her on the bed. He cupped her cheek, gently caressing with his thumb. "You are the most beautiful girl I've ever met, Ana."

"I highly doubt that. Seeing as how you probably met tons and tons of beautiful singers and models..."

"And NONE of them compare to you. There's a natural beauty about you that I have never seen."

Ana finally managed to look up into his eyes. "You're nothing like any of my guy friends. All I do is mess around with them and slam'em to the ground. But when I look at you... I see something that'll last and all I want to do is tell you everything about me..."

"And someday I hope you can tell me everything."

"You couldn't handle it, though," Ana murmured incoherently.

"What?"

"Nothing, I was asking where I was," Ana replied, fingering the hem of her tank top.

"We don't have to do anything tonight if you don't want to."

"I was the one that pushed you on the bed and started to take off my shirt, I'm pretty sure I want to," Ana assured.

Howie gave her a smile, kissing her again. "I love you."

"I love you, too," she answered, falling down against the bed with him.

*~*~*

"Damn, I'm buying Ana a humongous rock or something," AJ murmured leaning on the Melicia's door, hearing Howie's door shut and lock. He grinned toward Melicia, immediately diving onto the bed. He tackled her and started to kiss her softly.

"I'm thinking we need to buy her that and tons of things for The Beast," Melicia commented between kisses. A small moan escaped her lips as AJ kissed her neck.

"I'll second that, she's just way too good at getting Howie's attention away from us," AJ murmured, loving the way Melicia moaned at his manipulation.

"And I'm going to thank her in the morning," Melicia whispered as her hands trailed under AJ's shirt, running her nails over his warm skin.

"That feels way too good," AJ commented with a shiver.

"Good," she smiled at his response, pulling her hands out and tugging on the hem of his shirt.

"You can't be rough tonight though, I think I permanently hurt my body from surfing," AJ murmured as Melicia removed his shirt. "Did you see Pierce completely ignore me? He was focused on Howie and then Ana!"

"I saw him. I'm sorry, Baby," Melicia cooed as she turned AJ over so she was straddling him. "Do you want me to kiss it and make it better?"

"Yes, please," he whispered faintly, acting as if he were dying. "I don't think I can hold on much longer!"

"Let Nurse Mella take care of you," she whispered, leaning down to deliver soft kisses on his chest. Her long hair brushed against his skin.

AJ quivered from the two different stimulations arising from his skin. Goosebumps appeared on his skin where the hair had fallen, causing him to shiver in delight. Melicia continued her kisses, slowly trailing them upward. AJ thought he might actually lose control if she continued any further. Quickly, he brought her to his lips, kissing her intensely. He smiled against her lips, "I love you, Babe."

"I love you too," she smiled back, leaning down to nibble on his ear.

"I'm thinking we might have to tell your uncle about us sooner or later though, because it might look a little funny when I hit my knee at your graduation party..."

"You're proposing at my grad party?" Melicia squealed.

"I was considering it. I have a few dates in my mind..."

"Like when?" she laid herself on top of him, her chin resting on his chest.

"I can't tell, I actually want you to be surprised!"

"You already told me one day you had in mind!"

"That was just a suggestion."

"You'll love it, Babe, I promise."

"I know I will..." she bit her lip nervoulsy. "AJ?"

"What?"

"When we do tell Uncle Howie about us... he won't freak out, will he?"

"I don't know the answer to that question."

"You won't stop seeing me if he does, will you?"

"Nah, I'll just have to kick his ass till he gives."

Melicia laughed, hugging him tightly. "I love you, Pancake."

"Love you, too, Syrup."

She let go, sitting back on his hips again. Her nails traced lightly over his bare chest. "Now, I did start undressing you... should I continue?"

"Would you like to continue?"

Melicia's hands trailed down to the elastic band of his shorts, going along the fabric with a smile on her face. Without warning, she plunged them inside. "Does that answer your question?"

*~*~*

Howie, Melicia, and AJ rolled in a fit of laughter as they watched Ana dance around with her cowboy hat low on her head. They were hanging out on the patio in bathing suits after lazily swimming about the water and Ana jumped into one of her moods. She swung her hips provocatively, then without any hesitation started into some pelvic thrusts. Melicia had to hold her breath to keep from hiccuping, because Ana was acting just like AJ did on the stage. As she started her male type of dancing, she began to sing Kid Rock's 'Cowboy.' "Cowboy...cowboy... Well I'm packing up my game and I'm a head out west. Where real women come equipped with scripts and fake breasts. Find a nest in the hills chill like Flynt. Buy an old droptop find a spot to pimp. And I'm a Kid Rock it up and down your block. With a bottle of scotch and watch lots of crotch. Buy yacht with a flag sayin' chillin' the most. Then rock that bitch up and down the coast."

"Oh my God, I think I'm going to puke from laughing!" AJ exclaimed as he held his firm stomach.

"Okay, I'll stop!" Ana declared with a chirp, causing Melicia to tilt her head in confusion. Ana shrugged her lean shoulders, sitting back down with the group. "For my graduation party, I'm renting out this huge kareoke joint downtown. Practically everyone will be there...then Pierce, Dom, Andy, Ty got cocky saying that I've missed a lot of school and they don't think I'm close to get Valedictorian, but they have no idea how I've been acing all the tests at home. So, we came to a bet. If I make Valedictorian, then they're going to dress up in drag at my graduation party and sing 'In His Kiss' to me. And I came out saying that if I don't make Valedictorian, that I'll jump up and rap complete with grabbing my crotch and pelvic thrusting..."

"I'm praying that you make Valeictorian, chica. Because I don't know if I could take seeing you act like AJ!" Melicia blurted, wiping away the tears from laughing so much.

"I might end up jumping on the stage and doing it anyway. I think it's fun, plus Pierce will end up making me by the end of the night anyway. He's got too much dirt on me," Ana replied, smirking at their obvious approval.

"Both of our graduation parties are definitely going to be interesting," Melicia agreed.

"What are you doing for yours?" Ana asked curiously as AJ choked a little on his soda.

"Well, I had been kind of thinking of having it out on the beach in the backyard... you know, so everyone can swim and play volleyball and stuff. For the people who don't wanna swim the ocean, we have the pool. I just think that by adding you and the rest of the Backstreet Boys... it would be interesting."

"That'll be pretty sweet. The guys at school will dig it."

"I thought so, too," Melicia looked over and saw the look she was getting from AJ.

"When I say guys, I mean girls and guys," Ana quickly saved, noticing the look. "Clicky hangs out with the girls a lot. Gives'em tips about hairs and clothes... You know, the whole female bonding perspective."

"The kind Ana has a hard time with. Right, GIRLY?" Melicia teased, carefully reaching under the table and massaging AJ's knee.

"Yes, DUDE," Ana replied, settling back into her own chair. She stretched her arms, accidently hitting Howie's bare shoulder. She smiled impishly at him. "Plus, the girls will probably skitzing about the whole Backstreet appearance at the party... They'll love you forever... And I'll be surfing the waves to get away from the drool."

"Ugh, you had to remind me about that..." Melicia frowned playfully. "It's going to be like the Ninth Ring of Hell."

"Yeah, no kidding... Nick's going to get killed by the mob of girls. Something Howie had personal experience of. Right, D?"

"Hmm?" Howie asked, more concentrating on Ana's touch than the words spoken.

"You feeling alright, man?"

"Yeah, why?"

AJ shrugged, smirking. "I don't know. You're acting weird... more than usual."

"Maybe I'm just tired," Howie rolled his eyes, looking at his watch. "After all, it's almost 3."

Ana glanced at Howie in absolute confusion, hearing her cell phone chirp on the table. She reached over and picked it up, immediately Pierce started speaking, "Jezz, Surf, I'm already over at your house waiting for you. And you're no where in sight. Your Dad just called the phone, asking for you, he'll be home in fifteen tops. I told him you were in the shower and that I was spending the evening. He seemed pretty enthused that I was here, asking if we had anything to tell him. I said nothing out of the ordinary, he said he'd talk to you about something after I left. But I know how you like to look perfect for your Dad, so you better get here fast, chicky."

"Shit, Pier, you're dressed nice, right?" Ana blurted, standing up from the table.

"Of course, I always do when I come over," Pierce replied. "Just hurry and get your ass over here before he gets home."

"Thank God for Pier," Ana mumbled to herself, clicking off her phone and pushing it into the back pocket of her jean shorts. She turned around to see the three staring at her oddly. "I... I gotta go. Dad's coming home early and he's taking us out somewhere nice. He hates to wait..."

"Oh, alright..." Melicia frowned a little, standing up. "Do you have everything all packed? Or do you want me to do that while you run home? I could just drop it off before your dad gets home."

"I had it packed last night... I'll just grab it, you don't have to come over. Sorry about rushing out and everything," Ana answered, leaning over to give Melicia a quick hug.

"It's okay, don't worry about it," Melicia kissed her cheek. "See you at school tomorrow?"

"If I'm lucky," she murmured, turning around, but her eyes connected with her surf board. She groaned openly, immediately turning to Howie. "Do you mind if I keep the board here till tomorrow? Because I have to clean it before I put it back in storage and my dad will shoot me if he sees it."

"No problem, Ana. Just come over whenever you can, I should be here." something about the phone call and how Ana was acting made Howie a little suspicous.

"You guys are freaking gems. Check you later!" Ana called running into the house with a burst of energy. She climbed the steps with great leaps between steps, snatching her backpack off the guest room bed. She then hurried down the steps, clearing the last five with a jump, landing gracefully. After only about a minute, the group heard the front door close.

"That was the fastest I've ever seen a human being leave a house in my life," AJ muttered in awe.

"Why would her dad care about the surf board? I mean, honestly? Shoot her for having a surf board that her mother gave her?" Howie countered in confusion, not liking the signals being presented.

Melicia shrugged helplessly. "Maybe she just meant it as figurtively speaking."

"She sounded pretty serious to me," AJ blurted.

"You actually think her dad would do something to hurt her?" Howie asked.

"AJ's just overreacting," Melicia replied, glaring at AJ.

"Am I? It all makes sense if you--"

"AJ, shut up. You have no idea what you're talking about," Melicia stressed.

"Don't tell me to shut up, Melicia."

"You have no idea what kind of guy her father is like! Pierce had nothing but good things to say about him yesterday!"

"You know what? You're right. I never have any idea about anything around here," AJ stood up from his chair. He looked over at Howie. "Listen, I'm getting tired... I'm just gonna head home. I'll call you later, D."

"AJ, don't do that," Melicia groaned.

"I'm not doing anything that I don't know about, Mel," he gave Howie a wave before walking back inside the house. "See you later."

"Excuse me, Uncle Howie," Melicia blurted, immediately jumping up. She followed AJ to the front of the house, grabbing him before he could step toward the driveway. "You promised me that you weren't going to tell Uncle Howie, Alex!"

"I can't keep this secret anymore, Mel! Can't you see that someday soon Ana's dad is going to totally snap and REALLY hurt her?! I don't want to be responsible for that!"

"She's just fine. She has Pierce over there tonight," Melicia answered shakily.

"And what's going to happen after he leaves? Pierce can't live at Ana's and you know that. Do you really think Ana will be at school tomorrow? Because pretty soon, if you don't tell someone, she won't be around to graduate."

"Ana said she'll be at school."

"Ana says a lot of things that aren't true."

"It's not her fault."

"I didn't say it was. But it will both of our faults and Ana's if something really bad happens to her. Do you want that on your conscience, too?"

"Uncle Howie's going to blow it out of proportion. Ana hasn't even told me that it was her dad that did it."

AJ growled in frustration, throwing his hands up in defeat. "You deal with it the way you want to, Mel. And I'll deal with it the way I want to." he turned around and headed for his car.

"And how are you going to deal with it!" Melicia shouted.

"The right way!" he shouted back.

Melicia ran down to him, grabbing his hand yet again. AJ groaned as she pulled him to face her once more. She was about to speak, but a sleek black limo pulled up in front of the Lord Residence. A tall, beefy man was let out of the back with a black leather briefcase. He was dressed in a perfectly tailored suit, perfectly combed hair, perfect every thing. Melicia felt terror grip her insides as she listened to him curse loudly while lumbering toward his home.

AJ's eyes grew wide as they watched him open the door and slam it shut. "THAT'S her dad?"

"So, did you think you were going to go over there and handle things?" Melicia asked fearfully, biting down on her bottom lip. One half-hearted punch from a man that size would render anyone unconscious.

"The only people who could handle that would be the police... no wonder Ana was so beat up. That bastard..." AJ trailed off, pulling Melicia close to him. He could feel her trembling.

"Alex, just come back inside, please?"

He looked down and saw tears in her eyes. Sighing heavily, he softly kissed her forehead. "Alright."

"I just didn't want Uncle Howie to know...but maybe we should? I just don't know what to do anymore..."

"I think we may have to talk to him, Mella. Because this can't go on anymore."

"Do you think he'll be mad at me for keeping it a secret?"

"Maybe at first, but he'll be happy that you told him in the end."

"Ana's going to hate me."

"She's not going to hate you for saving her, Baby."

"Do we have to tell him now?"

"How about if Ana doesn't come to school tomorrow, we tell him?"

"And if she goes?"

"We'll talk about that tomorrow."

"Come and eat dinner with me and Uncle Howie?"

"You know I can't say no to you," he leaned down and kissed her. "I'm sorry I yelled at you."

"Let's just forget about our argument, okay?" he took her hand and walked towards the house.
Chapter 22 by Starry Eyes
Come on, Ana. Get your sufing butt into school today. Prove AJ wrong. Melicia thought to herself as she sat near the back of the AP classroom. It was 7:20 and Ana still wasn't in the room yet. Tapping her foot impatiently, Melicia looked towards the clock every two seconds, time seeming to stand still. A knot formed in her stomach as the minute hand finally reached 7:25 and the first bell rang. Ana was usually with her group of guys right before the bell, but they all came in without her.

"Where's Ana?!" Melicia asked bluntly as the boys filed past to the back of the classroom, each taking their respective seat. It pained Melicia to see the middle desk completely empty.

Pierce shrugged his leans shoulders. "Must have slept in again."

"But she--"

Melicia was interrupted as Ana rushed into the room, clad in a skirt and tank top.

"Why do you always insist on sleeping late?" Kieran, another friend, called from beside Pierce.

"Just to make you wonder," Ana quipped with a pained smile, hearing the final bell chime. Melicia was thankful that no new bruises were apparent. In fact, the bruises on Ana's face seemed to fade to the light shade of blue plaster that encircled her hand. Ana carefully walked toward her seat with a tender gait. She upper body was rigid as she allowed the backpack to fall from her shoulders. Instead of the slumping motion she usually used to fall into her chair, she was steady, pulling at the short bottom hem of her black skirt as she eased into the large chair. She bit down on her lip to keep from yelping as her back eased against the hard plastic. Gently, she pulled on her creamy yellow tank top, allowing it to droop in the back as she allowed herself more room in the uncomfortable attire. She flashed a few smiles toward the Beemer Babes as they raved about Ana's new look.

Melicia sighed in relief, knowing she didn't have to argue with AJ about telling her uncle. But there was something about Ana's walk and stature that made her curious. "You alright, chica?" she asked Ana.

"You mean the skirt?" Ana asked with a forced wry smile, waving the Beemer Babes off. The guys chuckled behind her, gently pushing on her shoulders to tease her about the obvious new trend that Ana would set, causing tears to sting against the corners of her eyes. "My Dad's taking a trip to the school today to check up on my grades, so there was no way that I could slip in and out of sweatpants in the Beast without him catching up. So, I figured... Might as well let the Estrogen rise in my body for once."

"He's going to be here?" Melicia confirmed. "Well, maybe I could finally meet him--" she was interrupted as the teacher came into the room.

The teacher immediately launched into a series of page numbers that they should locate. Ana sighed hatefully, knowing she would have to bend. Carefully, she turned in her seat, lowering her upper body to grab her book, not noticing her tank top fall lower than before. Melicia glanced over to whisper something, but her eyes immediately locked with the reason for Ana's lateness and odd stature. Angry welts of cracked flesh oozing with a coloring of red tinted plasma surfaced beneath the tank top, mixing with several large and painful bruises.

Melicia gagged for a moment, placing a hand over her mouth. She was about to speak when the teacher's voice cut into her thoughts. "Is there a problem, Miss Dorough?"

"Ana's ba---" Melicia's voice halted as Ana shot up in surprise. The pain exploded against Ana's back, causing her to muffle a yelp. Melicia's cheeks turned a fiery red as the teacher cocked his head to the side in question.

"Ana what?" he coached, preparing to slip Melicia a detention slip, but there was a sharp tap on the door. The teacher glanced over to see Mr. Lord's lumbering figure standing with a brief case wielded in his hand. Mr. Lord was taller than most men with bulging muscles, hinting that he might have been more than a lawyer in his day. His blonde locks were mixed with a salt-and-pepper coloring from age as his piercing blue eyes darted to see Ana sitting contently in her seat with her hands folded in her lap. He nodded as the teacher quickly opened his door and stammered toward the class, "I have to speak with Mr. Lord. Please read your books until I return!"

The students bent their head down to read the books as the teacher left with Mr. Lord. When the door closed everyone talked quietly. Melicia turned back to Ana, her eyes filled with concern. "What happened to your back?"

"What do you mean?" Ana asked offhandedly.

"You know what I mean."

"I don't remember to tell you the truth," Ana answered, feeling Pierce slowly pull the back of her tank top to examine. Immediately, all of her guys recoiled in disgust and pain. Ana winced, bringing her hands through her perfectly curled locks.

Melicia looked at Ana with confusuion. "How can you not remember--" the teacher came back into the room and all the students immeditately went back to reading. Something wasn't right with Ana's injuries and explanation and it made Melicia worry.

"Anastacia, your father would like you to visit all your teachers with him, then you can come back to class," the teacher declared, motioning toward Mr. Lord standing in the doorway. Ana's eyes immediately dropped to the floor as she pushed herself carefully out of the chair. Her back immediately stiffened as she stepped forward, disappearing into the hall with her father's hand clamped tightly on her back.

Melicia sighed heavily as she looked down at her book, not caring that a few tears stained the pages. Things were getting complicated and she didn't know what to do. Not for the first time, she wished her om was there to help her.

She tried to concentrate on the lesson, but found it harder and harder as the minutes ticked by and Ana remained absent. Melicia hated the idea of Ana's father hurting Ana, but it was all too real. Too many pieces fell directly into place when that assumption was made. Ana's confusing stories about how she was hurt, the bruises that were somewhat out of sight, her comments directed toward her father... Melicia tapped her pencil anxiously on the desk as the teacher continued to drone on about various muscles in the human body. Melicia felt more tears start to slide as a piece of paper was flicked her way. She jumped as it fell over her shoulder and landed into her lap. She uncrumpled the note, reading the lazy scrawl: What's up w/ Ana's back? - Riley.

She took out a pen and started to write. I don't know. She probably took a spill surfing or something. It hurt to lie like that for Ana, but it was the only thing Melicia could think of. She crumpled it back up and threw it back to a boy with tan skin and dark hair, who was Riley.

The paper was almost immediately chucked back in Melicia's direction with annoyance. Melicia unfolded the paper carefully, glancing up to see the teacher content on pointing at various pictures of muscles. She rolled her eyes, knowing that she would have to beg Ana to go over the muscular system with her. Not really caring, she glanced at the note: You haven't been @ this school long enough to realize that Ana is the Surfing Goddess. No way in Hell did she take a spill on the water!

Well then I don't know what happened to her back. Why don't you ask her when she comes back to class? She replied, throwing it back.

The same piece of paper flew into the air. You're cute when you're mad, haha. I'm sure she was just being klutzy again. The only graceful period that girl has is in the water. One time she missed an entire month of school because she shattered her femur trying to master the skateboard.

Melicia's eye grew wide as she read the last sentence over and over. A shattered femur... she didn't even want to imagine how Ana's father did that one. Yeah, she is pretty klutzy. I'm sure that's what happened. she threw it back.

Can't tell if that was meant as sarcastic or realistic. he scribbled.

Realistic. I gotta start paying attention before I freaking fail this class. she threw it back and started jotting some notes down in her notebook. The things Riley had written to her echoed in her mind, making it nearly impossible to concentrate.

Riley shrugged, tossing the ball of paper to Pierce and Kieran. Those two then offered it toward Amos and Scott, who finally tossed it back to Carl and Sam. Finally, the paper ball returned to Riley, who slipped it into his backpack. They all went back to scribbling notes till they heard the door open almost toward the end of the period. Ana offered her famous impish smile as she carefully walked back and eased into her seat. "The Gastrocnemius plantar flexes the foot and flexes the knee, Mr. Kelly," she answered quickly.

"That's correct, Anastacia," Mr. Kelly replied with a smile as he turned from the muscular system diagram.

"I know," she answered with a small laugh, causing the entire class to errupt in laughter as the bell sounded.

Everyone grabbed their backpacks and swarmed out the door. Melicia stayed behind, hoping to ask Ana what really happened to her back.

Ana seemed almost afraid to rise from her desk. The guys huddled around as Pierce leaned down, allowing Ana to grab his strong arms. With a careful tug, Pierce helped her to her feet with only a small yelp. She glanced gratefully to Pierce as he kissed her cheek, picking up her backpack. Pierce and Ana had the same exact classes, so it was easier for him to care for her that day. "Meet me outside for our free period?" Pierce questioned.

"Definitely, grab us Pepsi," Ana enthused, almost afraid to support her back.

Pierce nodded, walking out of the room with the rest of the guys. Melicia stood there for a moment, not knowing what to say. "Ana, what happened?"

"What happened? You mean why I left?" Ana asked, dislodging the conversation away from her back. Her blue-green eyes were murky with pain as she attempted to deliver her impish smile. "My Dad just wanted me with him while he checked up with my teachers. He's a little pissed though, because I'm getting a ninety-eight in one class and he wants double zeros after a one."

"He's mad over a NINETY-EIGHT? Man I would be thanking God if I got that in a class," Melicia replied, knowing Ana wouldn't talk about her new injuries. At least not at school.

"You're not that bad," Ana objected as Melicia started to pick up the pace of her steps. Ana yelped, knowing that she couldn't compete. It had taken all her energy just to crawl from beneath the covers. She would have considered going home early, if she knew that her father wouldn't be home. He was working at the house tonight before another business trip the following weekend. "Clicky... Can you slow down?"

"Oh! Yeah, sorry," Melicia slowed down her pace as Ana caught up with her. "So, are you going to tell me how you hurt your back right now? Or should we wait until after school?"

"I told you I don't remember."

"How can you not remember that? You're bleeding and there are huge bruises. And it obviously hurts a lot."

"I'm still bleeding?!" she groaned, already feeling the oozing. Her father would kill her if she ruined the expensive tank top. She had a small stash of guaze and whatnot in her locker. She already made a plan to return to the Beast and have Pierce patch it up. Pierce never asked questions.

"Yeah, a little bit," Melicia replied.

"He's going to kill me," Ana murmured dejectedly.

"Nothing is on your tank top, if that's what you're worried about. You just need to clean it up real quick."

"I'll have Pierce take care of it."

"Oh, alright," Melicia bit her lip. "Are you still going to be able to drive me home? If you can't because of your back, it's okay. I can have AJ get me--"

"I drove the Beast here, I can take you home. I need to get my board anyway."

"Okay, that's cool. Uncle Howie has it in the garage, so no biggie. I'll see you after school, then?" Melicia asked as they reached her Creative Writing class.

"We have choir together, so I'll see you then," Ana agreed, slowly heading for the door.

"See you," Melicia called softly, wincing as she looked at Ana's back. More tears filled her eyes before she blinked them away and walked into the room.

*~*~*

"I really don't want to see Howie or AJ at the moment, Clicky. Can't I just loop around in the back and just grab the board? I don't want to bother them and my Dad's only going to be out of the house for a few anyway. I really gotta get that board back into my room under my bed, safe and sound," Ana complained as Melicia opened the driver's side door, preparing on helping Ana get out of The Beast. It had pained Melicia to see Ana gently ease into the massive car, trying to hide the tears from her wounds.

"Can't you just come in to say Hi? Please? For me."

"So I can get the third degree about my back again? No."

"They're not going to harrass you," Melicia protested with a whine, obviously calling the bluff. AJ and Howie would question and in the back of her mind, Melicia felt that was the best choice. Maybe if Ana was confronted enough, she would confess.

"Stop whining," Ana groaned, slowly pulling her legs to dangle to the side.

"Everytime I whine, I get what I want," Melicia gave a smile as she helped Ana out of the car.

"You're definitely the youngest of your family. Basic Birth Order Personality," Ana agreed, feeling the burn sensation erupt as soon as her feet touched the ground. She knew as soon as she got home, she would get into a hot shower, and then sleep for the night.

"Well, you're an only child, you can do the same thing."

"No, I can't," Ana countered as they slowly walked to the front door.

"Alright," Melicia shrugged as they headed inside. "Uncle Howie! I'm home!"

"UNCLE HOWIE! MELICIA'S HERE!" AJ chimed excitedly as he walked into the living room to find both girls. He immediately leaned over and pressed a kiss to Melicia's lips with an excited smile. He decided to give her another kiss, hearing Howie's footsteps still upstairs. Melicia giggled at AJ's aggressive nature that afternoon, but Ana seemed less than entertained. Ana rolled her eyes, her back still arched to prevent the pain from radiating.

"Don't forget about Ana Banana, you dork," Melicia teased.

"I didn't forget, she doesn't mind, do you?" AJ countered, glancing toward Ana with question. His eyes immediately darted back to Melicia for a moment when he noticed Ana's odd gait.

"No, don't mind at all," Ana replied causally, feeling the blood continue to ooze against the guaze pads that Pierce had applied. She needed to get home as soon as possible. Her father expected her home at a specific time before he returned to his study for cocktails. Then Ana could free herself.

AJ slipped Melicia another kiss as Howie thundered down the stairs. "Hey, girls!" he replied with a smile. His eyes filled with concern as he noticed Ana's posture.

"I'm not going to be here long to interupt the whole family thing, I just wondered if I could grab my board?" Ana blurted quickly, not wanting to cause any trouble. She just wanted to slip in and out without any words.

"Oh! Yeah, sure. Come with me out to the garage. I put it in a good spot where it wouldn't get damaged in case Nick came over or something," Howie said.

"Nick would ruin my board?" Ana asked, her heart fleeting for a brief moment.

"No, but in case he came out here to grab something, I didn't want it to be out in the open. Your board is perfectly safe."

"Great," Ana sighed with relief, knowing that AJ and Melicia would at least want some kind of alone time if they could spare it. She shot Melicia a look to hurry up as Howie motioned for Ana to follow. She obliged, carefully falling into step with him. They reached the door and Howie placed his hand on the small of her back to guide her through, but she stopped instantly as his fingers pressed lightly against the thickness of her wounds. "Damnit!" she yelped in agony.

Howie yanked his hand away as if he touched a hot burner. "I'm sorry! What did I do?"

Ana wiped away the furious tears that were building against her eyes. The pain had almost knocked her out. She had trouble enough walking before without being jostled, pushed, and poked in the halls. Howie's tender touch had sent electricity zooming down her spine with fierce passion. "N-Nothing, I just hurt myself," she murmured, leaning against the side of the door as she moved her trembling hands down to shield her back.

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart. I didn't know--"

"It's not a big deal," she whispered, biting down on her bottom lip as hard as she possibly could without making it bleed.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked, his heart aching at the sight of Ana being in such pain.

"Yeah, I just...hit coral or something," Ana answered, feeling Howie gently peel away her tank top from the small of her back. Everything happened so fast in her mind, not preparing her for that type of reaction. "Howie, it's not as bad as it looks," she countered, knowing there was no way to prevent him from stopping. She closed her eyes, not having enough strength to fight back.

"You must have hit that coral hard, Baby," he whispered. He winced at the wounds and bruises on her back before gently letting the fabric cover them again.

"I was wrestling in the water with Riley," Ana replied quickly.

"Another guy friend?" Howie asked as they walked towards the back of the garage.

"Yeah, he's a riot. He's starting this band and wants me to join," Ana confessed, slowly easing down the steps behind Howie. She was absolutely amazed that Howie didn't press her for answers like Melicia. If anything, he didn't even seem to notice the bizzare stories that she manipulated. Ana couldn't decide whether she felt relieved or petrified that no one seemed to notice her disasterous life.

"You should think about it. You have an amazing voice," Howie complimented as he took her hand once she reached the bottom of the steps.

"He was thinking more about the bikini clad surfer babe in the back shaking her ass with a tamborine," Ana joked.

"I'll have to say no for you doing that," Howie chuckled.

"Why's that?" she asked curiously.

"Because I don't want to see my girl degraded to just shaking her ass with a tamborine when she has a voice that should be heard."

"Are you going to the concert this week?" she countered, trying to hide her furiously blushing cheeks. She knew that her father would find an excuse to work late at the firm to keep from attending. Her mother had been the one to attend all the functions that Ana participated in, because her father raved that her singing was useless and would never serve her in medical school.

"Of course. The whole family is coming that night," Howie replied.

"The whole family?"

"My parents, brother and sisters. And the guys."

"Wow. Already having me meet the 'rents, Howie?" Ana teased.

"They hear all about you from Melicia anyway," Howie replied with an earnest shrug.

"That's your way of diverting the questions," Ana laughed, knowing she wouldn't press things. She liked what she had with Howie for the moment. If anything were to come out in the open, she truly believed her father would send her six feet under without any other considerations. She saw Howie blush faintly. "Can I just get my board and be out? My father expects me home at exactly three."

"Yeah, let me grab it for you," Howie replied. He grabbed the ladder and set it above a trapdoor in the ceiling. "I put it in the attic."

"You sure it was okay up there?" she asked worriedly.

"Positive. I put all of Sarah's things up here..." Howie trailed off as he climbed up the ladder. "Sarah is Mella's mom."

"Oh, you don't want them around the house?" she asked, remembering how her father had trashed anything tangible her mother had owned. Ana had waited until he went to sleep the night after her mother's funeral and collected whatever she could find. What was left of her mother's personal belongs lay in two shoe boxes beneath a pile of blankets in her cedar chest.

"Not right now. It's just too hard right now to look at them, you know?" he replied as he stuck his head up into the attic and grabbed Ana's surfboard.

"Yeah, I know," Ana whispered.

"Alright, here you go," Howie called softly as he brought the board down.

Ana watched him gently ease it to the floor, allowing her the chance to properly hold it, because she could barely raise her arms above her head without screaming. She carefully ran her fingers against the ink where her mother had signed her artwork. The name Tina Marie seemed fresher than before. "Thanks for keeping it here," Ana countered, biting down hard on her bottom lip.

"It's no problem, Baby. I know how much it means to you."

"Too bad my father wants to burn it," she murmured painfully, allowing her fingers to trace lightly against her favorite fairy on the board. It was posed dreamily on a cloud, staring up at a cresent moon. Her mother had always said that it was Ana's nature to dream big and reach to the moon for light. So, her mother had named the fairy after Ana. There had been several pictures created from the simple fairy. Ana luckily had found the original drawing amongst the scattered remanents of her mother's life, now it remained locked in her cedar chest.

"Why would he want to burn this? It's something your mom did for you."

"I don't need to surf to be a doctor, Howie. I don't need to sing to be a doctor, either. That's why," she sighed, carefully picking up the board despite her obvious discomfort.

"So if it doesn't have anything to do with medicine he doesn't like it?" Howie asked, wondering what kind of father and husband would do such a thing as destroy memories.

"No, if it has nothing to do with my future as a medical student or his precious law firm, then he doesn't like it."

"Oh... I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault."

"I wish there was something I could do, though," he replied as they walked towards th door.

"Putting me out of my misery would be nice," Ana commented softly when they reached the kitchen. She gently eased the surfboard against the wall for a moment, her arms and back aching. She just need a break from everything.

"I still say you should just live here permanently."

"You never said that before."

"I said it once."

"I obviously wasn't paying attention."

"Well, now you know."

"I wish I could, but I can't," she stated simply, knowing that it would be like placing a death warrent over herself and Howie. She wanted to shield him from the horrors she faced at home. She glanced down, sighing heavily. "I should get going..."

"Alright, I'll walk you to the door."

"Don't worry about it," she answered, picking up the board once again.

"Let me at least walk you to the door, okay?"

"Howie, I---"

"Please. Just to the door."

"I love you," she finally managed to whisper, still hesitating on walking to the door.

"I love you too," knowing they wouldn't be seen, he gently kissed her. "C'mon, you gotta get back home."

"Howie, I can walk out by myself. You should put that ladder away before someone trips and falls..." Ana hesitated again, trying to decide how she could alert the two in the living room.

"The only one who would is Nick and he's not here. Why are you so against me walking you to the door?"

"Because you've got better stuff to do?"

"Nice try. Stop stalling, Ana. You yourself said you needed to get home."

Ana sighed in defeat, knowing she was damned if she did and damned if she didn't. She relented on allowing Howie to walk her toward the door. She made as much noise as possible to alert the two in the living room, but it seemed as if they were ignoring everything. Ana felt her throat close when Howie followed behind her, stopping to glance at the erotic scene before him. Melicia straddled AJ's lap as he lay on the couch with them passionately intertwined in a kiss. Ana winced, bringing her hand to her face to shield her eyes.

"MELICIA RENEE DOROUGH! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!" Howie shouted, his body shaking with anger.

The sound of Howie's voice seemed to radiate through every part of the house. Melicia rolled off AJ in absolute surprise, stumbling to her feet. AJ's eyes were wide in horror as he sat up on the couch, obviously debating about rushing toward the door. Melicia's cheeks were a furious red as she shot a glare to the helpless Ana. She noticed Howie's eyes blazing with absolute fury as his hands clenched to his sides. "D, just wait a second," AJ attempted to rationalize.

"Just a second? JUST A SECOND? WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU DOING, KISSING MY NIECE LIKE THAT?! SHE'S ONLY EIGHTEEN!"

"Howie, don't make this worse than it is. Nothing's wrong. She's an adult, Howie! I love her a lot," AJ answered honestly, stepping off the couch. He wanted to bring Melicia's trembling figure in his arms, but knew Howie would probably go load a gun.

"She may be a a legal adult, but she doesn't know right from wrong all the time! I promised Sarah I would take care of Melicia if something happened to her. You're just going to break her heart like all those other women! You don't even know what love truly is, and neither does Melicia!"

"Uncle Howie, he's not going to break my heart. And I do know what real love is! I learned from Mommy and Daddy!" Melicia protested, finally allowing her voice to radiate. Her sapphire eyes sparked with disappointment as tears streaked down her cheeks. "You don't know what I feel!"

"Don't even think about talking back to me, Melicia. Don't even. You're in enough trouble as it is," Howie seethed, turning back to AJ. "I don't want you to see my niece ever again, or I will call the cops on you."

"What the Hell are you saying?" AJ blurted.

"You know what I'm saying. You're forbidden to see Melicia."

"You can't do that!" Melicia objected, running over to AJ and wrapping her arms around him. "You can't take him away from me!"

"Melicia, don't," AJ instinctively deciding, pulling her away. The bitter tears fell against his cheeks as his eyes locked with her own. He could hear Howie ranting loudly, screaming for him to leave. AJ quickly brushed his lips against her forehead, pulling away. "Don't fight him right now, okay? Remember what we promised? Together forever, no matter what. Just let him calm down," AJ whispered, backing away.

"AJ, no. Please!" Melicia begged, tears streamed down her cheeks.

"Just a little while, okay? I'll try to talk to him later. We have to let him calm down," AJ continued carefully, wiping away his own tears. He never would have guessed that Howie would react so violently. If anything, Howie had always preached to let love blossom where ever it had been planted.

Melicia shook her head. "Please don't leave. He won't back down."

AJ was about to calm her yet again, but he was lurched backward with great force. AJ stumbled several feet to find Howie had latched on tightly to the collar of his shirt. Melicia screamed in surprise, startling Ana to the violence radiating around her. Melicia continued to scream out for him to stop as Howie practically flung AJ toward the door. Howie's eyes were dark with betrayal as he flung open the door. "I trusted you! Damnit, J, I trusted you! She's my baby niece! I just can't believe you would... Don't come back to my house. Do you hear me? Get the Hell away and don't come back."

"Uncle Howie, STOP IT!" Melicia screamed as she ran at Howie and grabbed his arm, trying to get him to let go of AJ. "You can't keep him from me!"

Howie quickly released AJ's collar, wrapping his arms around Melicia to pull her away. His eyes were deadly fixed on AJ, telling him to leave immediately. Melicia continued to sob openly, struggling to get away from her uncle's strong grip. She looked like a frightened child as she reached out to AJ, who simply opened the door. AJ's eyes were watery with regret and disappointed. "I'm leaving, Howie, but I still love her. There's nothing you can do to change that," AJ countered.

"AJ, no! Don't leave me here alone!" Melicia begged, still trying to get out of Howie's arms. All she wanted to do was run away with AJ and never come back. "I love you! Please!"

"GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HOUSE, NOW, MCLEAN!" Howie roared, causing Melicia to cringe. AJ shrugged his shoulders helplessly, hanging his head in defeat. He mouthed the words 'Love you, Babe' and retreated out the door, slamming it hard behind him. As soon as the door closed, Melicia sobbed openly, wrenching away from her uncle's arms. "I can't believe you would misuse my trust like that! I thought we were over this immature behavior, Melicia! How could you even think of trying to get somewhere with one of my good friends who is years older than you! It was selfish on your part. I don't want you near him. I don't want you talking to him. I don't even want you THINKING about him! Do you understand me?"

"FUCK YOU!" she screamed in pure anger, her eyes dark with emotion. "FUCK YOU, UNCLE HOWIE! YOU'VE JUST TAKEN AWAY THE MAN I LOVE AND I FUCKING HATE YOU FOR IT!"

"YOU DON'T LOVE HIM! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT LOVE IS! YOU'RE TOO YOUNG AND IMMATURE TO REALIZE WHAT KIND OF DEDICATION THAT TAKES! YOU CAN BARELY HANDLE YOUR OWN EMOTIONS LET ALONE SOMEONE ELSES!" Howie countered in disbelief and adrenaline. Melicia recoiled in shock, Howie had never raised his voice in such a manner. Fresh tears poured down Melicia's cheeks as she raced toward her bedroom.

"I can't believe he was doing that behind my back!" Howie ranted to himself. "He was using my niece to get some action. I should call the cops on his ass right now!"

When Melicia's door slammed sharply, it seemed to jolt Ana back into her surroundings. Her own eyes were stinging with tears at the obvious transformation that Howie had taken. She actually feared him for a moment when his hand clamped down on AJ's shirt. "I... I can't believe you did that," Ana murmured, causing Howie to jump.

"Can't believe I did that? Ana, my best friend was secretly seeing my niece! How did you expect me to react?"

"She's eighteen, Howie. She's not a baby. You can't call the police. She's legal and able to make her own decisions. You told me that you'd never jump down Melicia's throat if she wanted to love a man. You say that eighteen year olds are foolish and immature who aren't capable of loving? Then what the Hell do we have? Nothing, right? Because I'm younger than Melicia, so that means that I must be far more immature than her," Ana whispered in hurt, grieving for Melicia's aching soul.

Howie's eyes grew wide as he realized what he said. "Ana, I didn't mean you--"

"There are worse things in the world than having two people of different ages coming together to share their love. There is death, pain, beating, raw anger floating in places that you would never realize. You should be thankful that Melicia actually found love instead of pain. I'd like to go further, but I'm afraid that I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm only eighteen after all," Ana replied hatefully, hoisting her surfboard up, not caring about the pain radiating down her back.

"Ana, wait a minute. You don't know what it's like to be in my position! You and I, we're different than they were!"

"Why are we different? If anything, we should be put to death by the way your reaction to AJ and Melicia's relationship. After all, you're older than AJ and I'm younger than Melicia. We have no right being together when you can't even accept the minor gap between your niece and your best friend," Ana countered, opening the door.

"Ana," Howie burst, reaching to grab her wrist.

"Don't touch me!" she yelped, yanking her hand away.

"Why won't you let me explain?!"

"Because I'm too immature to understand!" she snapped back.

"This is so stupid!" Howie growled in frustration.

"Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking," Ana countered, walking carefully down the path to the driveway. She heard Howie slam the door sharply, causing her to wince. More tears flowed down her pale cheeks as she prepared to push her surfboard into the back seat of her Hummer, but stopped when she noticed AJ leaning on the side of her car, sobbing openly. "AJ?" she called softly.

AJ jumped in surprise, facing Ana. His face was stained with tears and his eyes were red. "A-Ana. I'm sorry. If I got anything on your car, I'll clean it off--"

"No, don't worry about it. I'm really sorry about what happened in there... I tried to make as much noise as possible..." Ana replied, setting her surfboard gently against the side of her car. She took pity on AJ, figuring that he had been picked up by Howie and had no way of getting home for the moment. He looked absolutely terrible.

"It's not your fault," he whispered, knuckling away the tears in his eyes. "We shouldn't have been doing what we had been. I'm just sorry we dragged you into this. That wasn't fair..."

"You didn't drag me into anything. I wanted to help. I figured there was worse things in the world than being in love," she answered softly, leaning on her car beside AJ.

"I just can't believe Howie reacted the way he did," AJ replied, his voice cracking. The look in Howie's eyes told him he would never be able to see Melicia again. "He's the one who always told me not to stop love once it blossoms, no matter where it is."

"I haven't known him that long to really back up any of your information, but I'll believe you," Ana offered, knowing Howie had stated the exact same phrase to her.

"I don't know what to do, Ana. I seriously think he would either kill me, call the cops or both if I try to see Mel. Ana, I love her s-so... so much, I--" more tears streamed down his face.

"He can't call the police, because Melicia's eighteen. And I know you love her. She loves you, too. She's always talking my ear off about you. You guys will find a way to work it out. He'll calm down sooner or later. And if not, you'll just have to go beyond it and decide if this love is worth whatever you have to do."

"Y-Yeah, you're right," AJ took a deep breath, rubbing his weary face. "I better let you go. Your dad should be home any minute."

"Fuck'em," Ana decided finally, opening up her rear door to slide in the surfboard. She didn't care at the moment, because her father couldn't hurt her any more than Howie had. Her father would inflict physical pain that she could tolerate better than Howie's infliction of emotional pain. She had been through the worst with her father's tempers and another cast to add to her arm cast would be somewhat amusing for the moment. "Looks like you're stranded anyway. So, how about I take you out somewhere to cool off and drop you back at your house? You've never ridden in the Beast and it's awesome."

"Are you sure?" AJ asked.

"Of course, what's the worst he could possibly do?"

"Well, I don't know..." AJ trailed off biting his lip. "Okay, let's go."

"I'll even be your pigeon. Write a note to Clicky and I'll give it to her during class tomorrow," Ana offered, unlocking the doors to her massive car.

AJ cracked a small smile as he climbed into the passenger seat. "I would really appreciate that."

"Pretty good for an immature eighteen year old, huh?" she joked, revving the engine.

"Yeah, no kidding," AJ chuckled softly as she sped out of the driveway and down the street.
Chapter 23 by Starry Eyes
Ana groaned with annoyance as someone tapped heavily on her door. She had just returned from the Emergency Room and the boys had decided to go grab some things and come back. The trip to the Emergency Room had been more painful than expected. The doctor had stitched some of the deeper wounds, irrigated, and cut away debris. The IV they had inserted into her left hand had caused a dark bruise to form. Ana had just hoped to relax for the afternoon before the concert, because she had lacked several hours of sleep until her father left that morning. Yet, someone insisted on bothering her. She opened the door to find Howie standing at her doorstep with weary eyes, gazing upon her natural beauty. Ana glanced down when she noticed the glimmer in his eyes, not seeing why he would think such things at a time like this. She was wear a pair of Pierce's loose Adidas shorts and a baggy Adidas t-shirt. "What do you want, Mr. Dorough?" Ana asked bluntly.

"I thought we should talk about what was said yesterday, Ana." Howie winced when she called him 'Mr. Dorough'. He knew he really screwed everything up between them.

"I think you made it quite clear before. I don't think we have anything left to discuss. So, why don't you let me get back to my immature life? In fact, I'm planning on having a few good romps today with my immature boys. You know, since I'm incapable of knowing what real love is."

"Will you just hear me out? I know I said some things I shouldn't have when I caught Mella and AJ. But you have to understand how much of a shock that was. I reacted the wrong way and I not only hurt my niece and best friend, but I hurt you. I care about you so much. I don't even know if you believe me, but--"

"You're right, I don't believe you," Ana stated flatly, leaning her side against the frame of her front door. The pain was starting to increase in her back from standing so long, but Howie refused to move.

"Well, if you did feel anything for me at all, you would believe me."

"I felt a lot for you. Hell, I gave the one thing that made the most sense in my life - my virginity. If that isn't called feeling then I don't know what is, Mr. Dorough."

"Will you PLEASE stop calling me Mr. Dorough! My name is HOWIE. God, Ana, I love you more than my own life! I made a mistake and I'm trying to apologize for it. I shouldn't have freaked out like I did nor should I have said the thing I said."

Ana bit down on her bottom lip, watching his eyes water with frustration. She knew from earlier that Howie had no success conversing with Melicia. Ana wanted to slam the door in his face for being so ridiculous, but hesitated. Her heart continued to pull her along by a silver leash of trust. She sighed heavily. "What are you going to do about 'the thing' you said, Howie?"

"Make it up to both of you in any way that I can. I've been trying to talk to Mella, but she won't listen to me. I really am sorry about how I acted and the words I said. Neither of you are immature and do know what love is."

"What about AJ?"

Howie sighed. "And I need to talk to AJ calmly and rationally about the whole situation."

"He told me that you always told him that you have to follow love no matter where it blossoms."

"I know I said that, but I didn't expect it to be with my baby niece, Ana. It was a huge shock for me."

"You need to tell them that, not me."

"But I don't want you hating me."

"Who said I hated you?"

"Well, you sure aren't acting the nicest way with me."

"I've had a shitty day," she stated honestly, running her fingers through her curls.

School that rough?" Howie asked, not really knowing what to say.

"I ditched school for the Emergency Room."

Howie's eye grew wide with concern. "Emergency Room? Are you okay? What happened?"

Ana groaned inwardly, realizing that she definitely had to watch her blunt reactions to questions. Yet, something about Howie's eyes made her want to confide in him. Tell him that she was in trouble. Or that she at least needed some kind of help. She took a deep breath, showing Howie her bruised left hand. "The coral attack was rougher than I expected... I ended up getting a severe infection. The doctor ended up giving me an IV antibiotic, debrided the wounds, and stitched a few. Just so I can sing at the stupid show tonight."

Howie winced openly as he took her hand. "I'm sorry, Baby."

"If it wasn't for Pierce, Amos, Kieran, and Riley, I would have been admitted for a few days..." Ana trailed, knowing that the doctors wanted to keep an eye on the infection and look into why she had been taking so many trips to the Emergency Room.

"Why didn't you do what the doctor wanted? If the infection was so bad--"

"It wasn't just the infection. They have a hard time believing that an eighteen year old girl who's going to medical school is as wreckless as I am. They just wanted to pump me full of antibiotics for the night, continue to clean the wounds, and ask me questions that aren't worth answering. So, I just told them that I'd have someone keep me company tonight and I'd come back in for a checkup in the morning. That's why Pierce, Amos, Kieran, and Riley are taking me to the concert and then spending the night."

"Oh, I see," Howie replied, biting his lip. "So you are still going to perform tonight?"

"I have to, there's no way I can back out on Clicky. Why?"

"No reason, I was just wondering--"

"Wondering what?"

Howie blanked for a moment on what to say. Before he knew it, he said, "I was wondering if we were still together."

"Still together?" she repeated, finding herself somewhat confused. The conversation had shifted dramatically. She almost blanked in a error of blondeness, trying to figure out why going to the performance had anything to do with still being together. "I don't know, are we?"

"I would like us to be."

"You do?"

"Of course I do."

"But, Clicky--"

"I'm going to have to talk to her anyway. She needs to know about us."

"She's going to kill me," Ana whispered, stepping away.

"No, she won't. I'll be understanding about her and AJ. She'll have to be understanding about us. I love you, Ana. I don't want to be kept away from you."

"You're going to be understanding about her and AJ?"

"Well, I'll have to be. Sarah would want that, epsecially since they love each other."

"Clicky always said her mother was pretty terrific and that you seemed to take after her. I think you're doing the right thing, even if it scares you," Ana encouraged softly, bringing her hands behind her back to support her aches.

He sighed heavily. "I know. I'm nothing like her mom, though. I feel like a failure for the way I reacted."

"You're trying your best. Everyone makes mistakes and Clicky should understand that much. She loves you a lot, regardless of what you think, Howie. She's going to cool down, just like you cooled down. Parenting isn't easy and trust me, you're one of the best at this moment."

"I still need to work on it..."

"No one's perfect," she answered, hesitating for a moment before gently easing her painful arms against his shoulders.

"Perfection is something my family needs sometimes," Howie sighed, carefully placing his hands on her hips. He leaned in and kissed her. "I'm sorry for what I said, Ana."

"D--Don't squeeze too hard," she whined miserably, feeling the pressure of Howie's hands embed into one of the largest welts that she had refused to show the doctors.

"Sorry," he whispered.

"Don't worry about it... I got them for staying out too-- Don't worry about it, okay? And you're forgiven for what you said. It's going to be okay," she promised, leaning in to press a small kiss on his forehead.

"I know it's going to be okay. Especially with you by my side," he replied, lifting her chin up so their eyes locked. He kissed her again, but it lasted for a long time.

Ana smiled warmly as she allowed her good hand to gently massage Howie's shoulder as their kiss intensified. Her body burned with radiating pleasure until she heard the sharp slam of a car door. Ana away from Howie in time to see the four boys running from her Hummer with various bags of food and clothing. "Surf! We got some mad food supplies, plus Pierce picked up some special ice packs that we can apply to your back before we hear your vocals. So, c'mon, get your ass inside, and let us take care of you!" Riley ordered as they walked up to the couple.

"Alright, Riley, I'll be right in," she laughed.

The boys greeted Howie and kissed Ana's cheek as they clambored inside the house. Howie looked back at her with a smile. "Those are good friends."

"Yeah and they're pretty funny when they get drunk," Ana answered, listening to Pierce and Kieran argue inside about preparing the ice packs. She rolled her eyes, listening to Amos immediately jump into the argument about who would tend to Ana's wounds first.

"So I'll see you tonight at the concert?" Howie asked, tucking a stray piece of Ana's blonde curls behind her ear.

"You're there for Clicky, not me," Ana chided. "You should definitely get her flowers for afterwards."
"I'm there for both my girls and you're both getting flowers," Howie corrected.
"I don't want flowers," Ana objected, fear immediately catching her heart. There would be no way to explain the flowers to her father.

"Can't I get you something?"

"I don't want anything from you."

Howie cocked his head in confusion. "You don't want anything from me ever?"

"It's not that, Howie. I just don't want you spending money on me, you know? You've got better things to do with it. As long as I know you love me, I'll be happy," Ana contradicted, knowing that she would be safer, too. If her father would find any token, she would have to make some ridiculous story of Pierce being her boyfriend, and it would be more complicated than she wanted. Especially if her father found out.

"Oh, alright. I'm just used to spoiling the people I love," he replied, leaning down to kiss her again. All of a sudden they heard a gasp from behind.

The couple turned to face Melicia's shocked form. Her mind seemed to slowly envelop the situation as her dark sapphire eyes burned with hate. Howie had been so ruthless with AJ, yet there he stood making out with her best friend. Melicia couldn't control her reaction to the situation as she stepped forward, shoving Ana as hard she could muster. Ana tumbled backward and slammed her back on the floor, slamming her already damaged back onto the hard marble floor. Howie was about to protest, but Melicia stepped over Ana, glaring down at her. "You're such a bitch, you know that? I can't believe all this time... You were with my uncle! Now I'm starting to see things clearly. You just wanted to be my friend to get to my uncle. Then you decided to get me caught with AJ to make your love life better? Well fuck you! I can't believe you... YOU HAVE ALL THOSE GUYS IN THERE THAT WOULD GLADLY FUCK YOUR BONES! WHY MY UNCLE?! AJ was right the first time, your mother probably is turning in her grave! She has to be ashamed of you! You deserve what your dad does to you! I'm glad he beats you and tortures you! FRANKLY, I HOPE HE KILLS YOU!!!"

"C-C-Clicky," Ana stammered in shock, hearing the guys in her home come running to her defense. She slowly pulled herself off the floor, her back stinging. She saw large black spots float around her vision as nausea swept in.

"DON'T EVEN TRY LYING OUT OF THIS ONE! You may have been covering for me and AJ, but all this time you've been with my fucking UNCLE! I FUCKING HATE YOU AND I SURE AS HELL AREN'T SINGING WITH YOU TONIGHT!"

"Melicia, that's ENOUGH!" Howie yelled, yanking Melicia away from Ana.

"DON'T YOU FUCKING TALK TO ME EITHER! THIS ENTIRE TIME YOU'VE BEEN WITH HER?! YOU TELL ME NOT TO HAVE SEX AND YOU GO AND BANG THE NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR'S DAUGHTER!? I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR YOU! MOMMY WOULD BE SO UPSET WITH YOU! AND IT'S NOT ENOUGH! NOTHING WILL BE ENOUGH TILL HER FATHER FUCKING BURIES HER SIX FEET UNDER WHERE SHE BELONGS!" Melicia raved as her voice started to crack from the emotion. She attempted to jump back into the home, but Pierce immediately stood in front.

"Melicia Renee, that is ENOUGH!" Howie's voice thundered in her ear. "Don't you dare try anything or I will pin you to the ground. Don't think I won't do it."

"I think it's time you two left, now," Pierce growled, hearing thick sobs catch in Ana's throat as Kieran carefully cradled her in his arms.

"I agree," Howie replied as he started to drag Melicia back to their house.

"I HOPE HE KILLS YOU, ANA! I HOPE HE FUCKING TEARS YOU TO PIECES! WORSE THAN HE'S DONE TO YOU BEFORE! BREAKS ALL YOUR BONES AND MAKES YOU BLEED OUT! DAMNIT! I'M NOT DONE WITH YOU, YOU FUCKING WHORE!" Melicia ranted, still struggling in Howie's arms as he tried to move her away.

"I'm going to puke," Ana blurted, immediately rushing back the hallway.

"MELICIA!" Howie shouted, making her face him. He shook her hard, making her teeth click together hard.

"KNOCK IT OFF! DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON HER, TAKE IT OUT ON ME!"

"GET THE HELL OFF ME!" Melicia shrieked as the door to Ana's home slammed sharply. She pushed Howie away, causing him to stumble back in surprise. "YOU WERE FUCKING MY BEST FRIEND! SHE'S YOUNGER THAN I AM! HOW COULD YOU EVEN THINK TO DO THAT?! YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING HIPOCRIT!"

"YOU'RE RIGHT, I AM A HYPOCRITE! BUT DON'T YOU EVER WISH DEATH ON SOMEONE! YOUR MOTHER TAUGHT YOU BETTER THAN THAT!"

"AND YOU OBVIOUSLY DIDN'T LEARN ANYTHING FROM HER!"

Howie's eyes narrowed and before he knew it, his hand slapped her across the face.

Melicia immediately stepped back, bringing her hands to shield her stinging cheek. Tears streaked down her face with pain and resentment. "I hate you so much it's unbelievable," she hissed, turning away from him.

"Hate me if you want, but don't hate Ana. Would you want someone wishing death on you like that? Huh?! Tell me."

"I don't care, because I hope she fucking rots," Melicia stated, walking away from him.

"Don't you walk from me!" Howie ran after her and grabbed her arm. She whipped around and punched him in the jaw.

"YOU CAN FUCKING ROT WITH ANA, BECAUSE I'M NOT COMING BACK!"

Howie fell back, holding his jaw in agony. He rolled onto his stomach, fighting the urge to scream. Melicia looked surprised at her sudden force, but didn't stop to question it. She quickly dashed down the road, running as fast as her legs could carry her. Melicia's chest heaved with agony as she listened to her uncle call her name, but she wouldn't come back. She refused.
Chapter 24 by Starry Eyes
Howie moaned in utter agony as he splashed cold water against his face, bracing himself against the counter in his private bathroom. He glanced upward into the mirror to see a fresh bruise forming against the side of his jaw. He hadn't expected Melicia to react so violently. He felt more tears form in his eyes as he thought about the previous events. Melicia's anger. Ana's terror. AJ's betrayal. Things never seemed to work smoothly in his life. "Damnit, I need ice," Howie hissed, running his fingers against the darknening bruise.

I HOPE YOU FUCKING ROT WITH ANA! His niece's voice echoed through his mind as he walked downstairs to get some ice out of the fridge.

"I should have known better than to start something with Ana," Howie muttered with defeat, slumping down on a kitchen chair. He pressed the ice against his jaw, sighing as the burning sensation was numbed. He didn't know where to start as all the emotions tumbled inside his throbbing head.

I hate you so much it's unbelievable. That was the one thing that Melicia said which made Howie's eyes tear up again. He knew that if his sister was still alive, she would be disappointed in him as well. And he didn't even want to think about what the guys would think. Sarah, I'm so sorry I screwed all this up. I just don't know what to do anymore... please help me. Please.

The silence made Howie's heart ache worse. He leaned against the table, burying his face in his hands, letting the ice drop. Fresh sobs choked at his throat as tears continued to fall. He never imagined Melicia being so upset with him. She had always teased him, saying that he was her favorite uncle, but now she was crying somewhere. Howie's throat constricted for a brief moment, thinking about her flee. He had no choice but to believe that she would show up for the concert.

Looking up at the clock, he realized that him and the fellas were going to meet at Kevin's and then head to the school within 15 minutes.

"How am I going to even be able to watch Ana sing?" Howie moaned, swallowing a sob.
He sat there for a moment, just wallowing in depression before standing up. "I just got to go there and watch both of them sing..."

Howie trudged up the steps, begruding himself further, "That's if it doesn't turn into a Jerry Springer Brawl when Melicia tries to kill Ana."

*~*~*

"Shit, Ana, she ripped out some of your stitches! You're bleeding like there's no tomorrow!" Pierce complained as he lifted up the back of Ana's lavender tank top to apply yet another dressing. The choir had already hussled out to sing their two pieces, so Ana had time to prepare. She sat back stage with Pierce, while Amos, Riley, and Kieran found a row of seats for them at the rest of the group. Ana winced openly as she felt Pierce peel off yet another piece of guaze and grab another.

"Do you think she's going to still come and sing?" Ana asked, feeling Pierce layer some antibiotic ointment over the opened stitches.

"If the girl comes, I'm going to wring her neck for saying what she did to you," Pierce growled.

"Pierce, I was with her uncle, I don't blame her for what she said," Ana admitted, yelping when she felt Pierce apply a strip of tape to the first opened wound.

"No matter what happens, a friend shouldn't say things like that."

"Her uncle though, Pierce. God damnit, what was I thinking?" Ana groaned, bracing her elbows on the table as Pierce peeled away yet another bloody guaze. Melicia slamming her onto the ground had ripped away most of the stitches, causing tremendous pain. "The man is like ancient compared to me. I was so freaking stupid to think... I just should have asked one of the guys to take a chance with me instead!"

"Let me ask you something, Ana," Pierce replied quietly as he applied some ointment and covered up the wound.

"Go ahead, Pier," she sighed, feeling a sob rise in her throat as the tape adhered to a bruised area.

"Did you really feel love for Mr. Dorough?"

"I'm too young to know what love means."

"Who told you that?"

"Myself when I realized I was drowning by thinking I was in love."

"But when you told him you loved him, did you mean it?"

"Yes..."

"Then you loved him. Just because you're young doesn't mean you don't understand it."

"Little late though, isn't it, Pierce?"

"You always told me you can never be too late when it comes to love, Ana."

"Well, I was pulling bullshit."

"I think you're pulling bullshit right now just by saying that," Pierce replied as he finished with the last wound.

"I'm not going to put myself between Melicia and her uncle. It's not fair nor is it right. I'm just going to let it drop, because there's no use in making him choose between a girl and his niece," Ana murmured, pulling the clip from her hair and allowing her blonde ringlets to cascade down her tender back. She slowly turned to face Pierce, glancing down at her lavender peasant top and sleek black pants. "Do I look good enough to go on stage and sing for my Momma?"

"I'm sure she's smiling right now upon you, because you look gorgeous," Pierce smiled, kissing her cheek.

"Good luck, Babe."

"Can I ask you a question, Pierce?" Ana hesitated as he helped her stand.

"Of course."

"You didn't believe her when she was talking about Dad hurting me... Did you?"

Pierce shook his head. "That didn't make any sense, because you're dad has always been really nice with you. He may not be home a lot, but he would never hurt you."

"Just wanted to make sure you guys didn't think he would do that, you know?" Ana stated with somewhat of a nervous laugh.

"We would never think that," Pierce replied as he heard the choir start singing. "You better get going."

"Guess she really isn't coming..." Ana sighed, running her good fingers through her curls. She glanced to Pierce, who gave her an encouraging smile. She couldn't ask for a better friend than the ones that would sit in the first row, cheering loudly for her. "Make sure you have my flowers ready, okay?"

"Got it, boss."

"You're a real sweetheart, you know?"

"So are you, Ana. Now get going, young lady."

"Got it! Jezz!" Ana laughed softly as Mrs. Clark ushered her toward the stage as the choir hurried off. Carefully, Ana stepped toward the center of the stage where the single mic now stood. She felt her heart hammer against her chest as she took her spot. She glanced out into the crowd, almost immediately locking eyes with Howie in the middle. She bit down hard on her bottom lip, immediately glancing toward the first row where all her guys began to scream, hoot, and cheer wildly. "I'd like to welcome you all here tonight. The choir has done a wonderful job and I hope you enjoyed them. Now, Mrs. Clark has asked me to do a dedication to those lost in September Eleventh... I was going to have someone assist, but something has come up to prevent her from making it. Her mother was also lost during the attack and she had shared with me numerous times how wonderful her mother had been. So, I would like to dedicate this song to that young woman, her angelic mother, and her family. And, you all know that my mother was on one of the planes...and I know she's in Heaven watching her little girl...so I really want to dedicate this to my mother." Everyone applauded as the music for the song started to play in the background.

Carefully, Ana listened as the music softly carried, waiting for her intro. She immediately focsed her eyes toward the front row as the boys hooted wildly. She offered a small wave to them as her melodious voice carried throughout the auditorium. The crowd seemed to be awed as Ana's voice rose to great strength and emotion with beautiful harmonies as she made a point to focus on each part of the crowd:

American Girls and American Guys
We’ll always stand up and salute
We’ll always recognize
When we see Old Glory Flying
There’s a lot of men dead
So we can sleep in peace at night
When we lay down our head

My daddy served in the army
Where he lost his right eye
But he flew a flag out in our yard
Until the day that he died
He wanted my mother, my brother, my sister and me
To grow up and live happy
In the land of the free.

Now this nation that I love
Has fallen under attack
A mighty sucker punch came flyin’ in
From somewhere in the back
Soon as we could see clearly
Through our big black eye
Man, we lit up your world
Like the 4th of July

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue

Justice will be served
And the battle will rage
This big dog will fight
When you rattle his cage
And you’ll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A.
`Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass
It`s the American way

Hey Uncle Sam
Put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty
Started shakin’ her fist
And the eagle will fly
Man, it’s gonna be hell
When you hear Mother Freedom
Start ringin’ her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Brought to you Courtesy of the Red White and Blue


She finished the last note with a cresendo, looking up towards the Heavens, singing to her mother. Everyone started to applaud, giving her a standing ovation. The boys in the front row and the boys in the middle of the room cheered and hooted the loudest.

Ana's cheeks blushed a furious red when she realized that the song had ended and that the cheers were for her. She smiled innocently, giving a little curtsey that caused the boys in the front row to laugh. She shrugged her shoulders, walking off the stage. The adrenaline flowing through her veins was almost too much as she heard Mrs. Clark call the show offically closed. Ana hurried out to the audience, immediately greeted by her closest circle of boys: Kieran, Dominic, Pierce, Amos, and Riley. "Did I do okay?" she asked timidly.

"You kicked ass, Sweetheart!" Riley enthused, kissing her cheek.

"Thanks for cheering the loudest for me. That meant a lot!" she laughed, watching all the groups of parents and teenagers slowly filing out while throwing congratulations toward her. She didn't seem to notice as she made a point to kiss each boys' cheek.

"You were definitely better solo than with what's her name," Pierce commented as he handed her the flowers.

"Melicia..." Ana murmured, her heart immediately sinking with guilt. She gazed down at the beautiful boquet of red roses. She delivered another kiss to Pierce's cheek, glancing backward to see Howie, his friends, and his family gathered in a small circle. She glanced further back to see AJ hanging out at the enterance. "Pier... I have to go do something... Why don't you guys go back to my house and hang out? I don't know what time I'm getting back, but make sure all the guys are out by eight in the morning, because Dad will be back at eight. You stay there though if I'm not back and stall for me, okay? Tell Dad that you're planning on asking me to marry you or something to keep his mind occupied, okay?"

"I'll think I'll use the marrying bit," Pierce grinned as the rest of the boys nodded. "We got you covered, Ana."

"Did I ever tell you how much I love you guys?!" she enthused, kissing them all once more.

"Only a billion times," Kieran teased. "Go and do what you need to do."

Ana beamed another smile, handing Pierce back the roses. She carefully weaved through the crowd, hesitating a moment when she came upon Howie. Their eyes locked for a brief moment, causing Ana's heart to sink faster than before. She immediately broke their gaze, walking further down to where AJ was leaning against the wall. "AJ?" she called.

"Hey," he replied softly.

"Um... Have you seen Clicky lately?" Ana asked, wondering how much of the story she would need to explain.

"I haven't seen her since I dropped her off back at home. I heard what happened... I'm sorry she said those things, it was cruel of her--"

"She called you then?"

AJ shook his head, biting his lip. "I was hoping she would come to the concert anyways, but now that she didn't show up... I'm getting worried."

"How did you find out about what happened?"

"We all met at Kevin's and Howie explained the whole thing."

"They all have to hate me by now," Ana groaned, running her fingers through her curls.

"Actually, they're not liking Melicia at the moment."

"She didn't mean what she said... She was just trying to hurt me as bad as she was hurting... The Dad comments were completely fictious, but if anything, it's my fault to begin with... I should have never thought about blurring the lines... But that's not really the point at the moment... The point is that she's not here, she hasn't called you, and I definitely need to go find her..."

"But you wouldn't even know where to begin. Hell, I'm her boyfriend and I wouldn't know."

"It doesn't really matter, AJ, because I'm finding her no matter what. I've done my own share of running, I think I know where to at least start."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No, that's alright. I'm fine on my own, but if you gave me your cell number, I could call you if I find her?"

"Yeah, sure," he rambled off his number as she programmed it on her phone. "You be careful, okay?"

"It's too late to be careful."

"Well... good luck, then. And call me when you find her."

Kevin walked over to where AJ stood when he noticed Ana walking away from him. Kevin raised his eyebrows in confusion, merely going over because Howie seemed to be going crazy at the fact that Ana had said nothing to him. "Where's Ana going?" Kevin asked curiously.

AJ sighed heavily as he looked at the older man. "She's going to find Mella. Kev, if anything has happened to her, I--"

"I know, J. Just take it easy. Everyone's heading back to Howie's house for a bit... Do you want to come?"

AJ bit his lip. "You mean I would be allowed in his house?"

"Howie feels stupid for overreacting. He just told his mom about you and Melicia and they're happy about it... He just doesn't know how to go about talking to you since Melicia acted so violently toward him... You know? You're still his best friend, J."

"I know... and he's still my best friend," AJ sighed again. "Alright, I'll meet y'all over at his house."

*~*~*

"I should have taken a car," Melicia mumbled angrily, wrapping her arms around her chest as she walked deeper into the downtown portion of Orlando. Tonight the sky was starless and moonless, the only light beaming down on Melicia was the faint flicker of city street lights. She had walked for hours, thinking about everything that had occured within the several days. She didn't know why God was punishing her so. Mommy... why are you letting God do this to me? First I get AJ taken away from me by your brother, and now I catch him with my supposed best friend. This isn't fair! Her mind ranted on and on, not noticing someone was following her.

She was about to curse aloud, but something slid around her mouth, clamping it tight. Melicia started to struggle as she was pulled into the beginning of an alleyway. She prepared to scream, but a gleaming pistol caught her attention. The bulky man's face was shielded by the shadows as he pushed the gun into her shoulder. "This is going to be really easy, Missy. Just give me your money and I'll walk away," he ordered gruffly.

"I don't have any money, leave me alone!" she shouted, knowing it would get people's attention. That was something her mom taught her when they lived in New York.

"It's midnight, Sweetie. Yelling isn't going to get you anywhere," the man laughed, digging the pistol deeper into her collar bone. "Fork over the money."

"Fuck you, asshole," she hissed, driving her knee into his stomach.

The man stumbled back a few steps in surprise as Melicia took the chance to dash off, but he grabbed a thick portion of her dark curls, yanking her backward. Melicia yelped in surprise as she was thrown into the brick wall yet again. The man forcefully brought his hand across her cheek, causing a pool of blood to form in her mouth from the blow. "STOP DICKING ME OVER!"

"It's hard to do that if you don't have one!" she replied, spitting out the blood.

"Give me your fucking money now or you're going to regret those words, SWEETHEART."

"I don't have any money, I told you that. And DON'T call me sweetheart, you BASTARD."

Without hesitation the man swung a heavy fist into her chest, causing her to crumple to the ground. He delivered several sharp kicks to the sides of her chest. Melicia yelped as she felt at least a few ribs crush under the weight of his heavy boot. Melicia screamed in pure agony as the hot flashes of pain zoomed down her spine as her body screamed for help. He didn't seem to care about her screaming as he allowed the butt of his gun to sink into various parts of her flesh while he reached into her back pocket, pulling out her wallet. He smiled gleefully, pushing her wallet into his pocket, and pulling her back up against the wall. "No money, huh?" he snarled.

"Nothing that's for you. If you take my money, I'll fucking kill you," she said between gasps, spitting in his face.

"Kill me? That's really cute," he laughed, patting his pocket that contained her wallet.

"Give me my wallet back!"

"Hmm....no...."

Melicia growled, raising her fist and punching him in the jaw. "GIVE IT BACK!"

"You...little bitch!" he roared, wiping the blood off with the cuff of his jacket. The man recoiled in shock, glaring toward Melicia with obvious spite. Unable to control his temper, he slammed her back hard against the wall and pressed the gun deep into the fleshy connection between her chest and shoulder, pressing the trigger.
Chapter 25 by Starry Eyes
Ana allowed the music to blare in her Hummer as she cruised the streets in search of Melicia. She had been out hours in her Hummer, just cruising to the places that Ana had run to at different times in her life. Yet, Melicia had yet to appear. Ana sighed heavily, tapping her fingers to the beat of her music, trying to keep her body under a state of calm. In a last attempt, Ana turned toward downtown, knowing that it was a slim chance.

"C'mon, Clicky... where are you?" Ana muttered to herself as she scanned the streets.
Ana was about to turn back toward her house, when she caught a glimpse of silver flashing beneath a street lamp. She slammed heavily on her brake, pulling over to the side of the street. She leaned over her passenger's side, her eyes growing wide when she realized it was a body. Ana immediately threw her Hummer into park, stumbling out of the massive car. She forgot all about her own pains as she ran down the alley, bending down over Melicia's tattered body. Ana felt her heart jump to her throat as she noticed the dark pool of blood seeping through Melicia's shirt near her shoulder. "Melicia?! Melicia Renee Dorough?! Can you hear me?" Ana called loudly, reverting back to her EMT training, trying to rouse Melicia.

Melicia groaned in response as her eyes fluttered open. She gasped as she saw Ana in front of her. "A-Ana? Wh-why are you here?"

"Thank God," Ana breathed, immediately reaching toward the hem of her tank top. Without hesitation, she ripped a large strip from the bottom of her tank top. She carefully leaned over Melicia, nudging her casted arm underneath Melicia's unaffected arm. "Listen, I need you to sit up for me. I need to tie off this wound so you don't bleed to death and I need to see if the bullet came out of your shoulder. Okay?"

Melicia nodded, carefully sitting up. She yelped as pain flared in her ribs, causing her breath to shorten. "H-he broke my ribs... the bastard."

"Just stay as still as you can," Ana ordered, carefully peering at the back of Melicia's shoulder. Thankfully, blood had also tainted the back of Melicia's shirt, alerting Ana that the bullet had passed in and out of her body. With skilled grace, Ana tied the strip of fabric tight against the wound as Melicia hissed in pain. Ana gently allowed her to lean back on the wall. "Looks like you lost a bit of blood. I'm going to need to get you to a hospital...but the downtown hospital sucks ass. I'm going to need to get you into the Hummer and I'll drive you myself to our hospital. Okay?"

Melicia nodded, biting her lip against the pain. "I'm so cold, Ana... everything hurts."

"You're probably going into shock. I need you to stay awake and concentrate on me, okay? We're going to get you help as soon as possible, but I need you to stand. You have to brace yourself against me..." Ana enthused, gently easing her arms around Melicia.

Melicia grabbed onto Ana's shoulders with one hand and braced herself against the wall as they stood up. Everything seemed to spin as she clutched onto the younger girl. "Whoa... make it stop spinning."

"I can't do that till we get to the hospital," Ana stated, assuming Melicia had a concussion. She carefully guided Melicia toward the Hummer, taking great ease to help her into the passenger seat. Once Melicia was secured, Ana quickly ran around, and hopped into the driver's side. She quickly peeled out, reversing her car toward the nearest hospital.

Melicia's eyes began to droop as the cool air whipped through the car. All she wanted to do was rest.

"Ana... please let me go to sleep. I'm so tired."

"No way. You're not sleeping on me. You've got to stay awake," Ana contradicted loudly, watching Melicia's eyes pop open for a few moments. "Melicia, c'mon, stay awake!" Ana pleaded with fear, knowing it was dangerous for Melicia to fall asleep, because she might never wake up. Unable to battle the fears of losing Melicia, Ana blurted the first thing she could think of, "Do you want to know about me? You know how you were always prodding about my life, but I didn't want to talk? If we talked about that... Would that keep you awake?"

"Y-Yeah. Tell me..." Melicia replied, trying to keep awake. "I want to understand more about you."

"What do you want to know first?" Ana challenged, keeping her voice loud to jar Melicia away from sleep.

"What about your mom?"

"Momma?" Ana trailed, biting on her lip. "She was born in North Carolina and she went to Duke for a medical degree. She met my Dad when he was fighting a case for one of Momma's friends. Needless to say, they hit it off. She came back to Florida for my Dad to keep his practice and she went to work at a nearby hospital. She always wanted a little girl, but she ended up getting this wild tomboy. She didn't care though. She had this essense around her. I couldn't do a thing wrong in her eyes. I loved her so much. She did everything for me. She made that surfboard for me when I was sixteen and she even drew all the fairies on it. The one in the center with the moon was based on me... She did everything she possibly could to keep me happy and I honestly think that's what killed her..." Ana trailed, feeling tears trickling down her tan cheeks.

"Dad always refused to come to the concerts, because singing wouldn't help my career as a doctor... But Momma loved to hear me sing. She had a medical conference to attend during September Eleventh, which was when I was doing my first solo for Senior Year Choir. I begged her to come home, so she hopped the nearest flight in hopes to get home... I was waiting at home, getting changed when she called... She screamed she loved me and that she just wanted to be there. I could hear the men in the background screaming for her to shut off the phone. It was all so surreal. I didn't even realize what it meant till Pierce came in and turned on the TV. I saw my mother's plane crash as she screamed in my ear..."

Tears streamed down Melicia's cheeks as she fought against the drowsiness in her body. "Oh my God. I'm so sorry, Ana. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman. I wish I could have met her..." she bit her lip, remembering the words she had screamed at Ana. Now she was saving her life, and Melicia felt guilty.

"Ana, about what I said earlier. I didn't mean it--"

"Don't worry about it," Ana stated quickly.

"But I never want that to happen to you. You're my best friend and I need you around. If it wasn't for you, I would have been dead within an hour in that alley. Who knows what could have happened to me--"

"You're going to be fine. It was my fault you freaked in the first place. I blurred the lines. I'm sorry. And I'm not going to see your uncle anymore. Just concentrate on staying awake, okay? All's forgotten in that department."

"I'm trying to stay awake, I really am. But I'm so tired..." her eyes drooped shut.

"Hey! Ask me another question!" Ana fired loudly.

Melicia jumped awake, yelping as pain swept through her body. "What made you love my uncle?"

"I didn't say I loved him," Ana countered in surprise.

"Ana, you're looking at the niece of the Latin Lover in the Backstreet Boys. I know people are in love when I see it, and I saw that in you two."

"He made me feel special, Melicia. He made me feel like I actually had some kind of importance in this world since Momma died. My father isn't much of anything, but Howie knew how to make me feel better. He made me feel safe and wanted... Something that I really needed. I mean, my guys were great, but Howie had so much more... I'm sorry that it ever happened though and it's not going to continue."

"Why are you sorry? Ana, when you two were together, my uncle was the happiest that he has been in YEARS. All of his other girlfriends just used him for his money and continuously cheated on him. I don't want you to stop seeing him, just like how you don't want me to stop seeing Alex," Melicia yawned, blinking her eyes to keep them open. She could feel the blood seep through her shoulder and onto her shirt.

"I'm not worried about that at this moment, Melicia. After the way we all reacted, I'm not ready for that kind of relationship. I'm more worried about making sure you're safe. Why don't you ask me one more question, because the hospital is about ten minutes away."

Melicia relented in persuing that subject, trying to think of another question, but her mind was getting fuzzy. "I... I can't think of anything. Ana, I don't know how long I can stay awake."

"Just a couple more minutes, Melicia. You can't think of anything else?"

"Do-does your dad really hurt you?" Melicia whispered, still fighting the sleepiness.

"Hurt me?" she countered.

"All of your injuries... he did them to you, didn't he?"

"Yeah, he did..." Ana trailed, finally coming to terms with her father's abuse. She took a deep breath, feeling more tears slide down her cheeks. "He's a good guy...well... He wasn't as bad when Momma was around. She took most of the force... Then when she died... He snapped... He came down harder on me and he expects perfection... When I step out of line, I get punished, but it's just because he wants the best for me."

"Ana, one of these days he really IS going to kill you if you don't get out of that house!" Melicia blurted, ignoring the pain in her chest. "Parents don't break their kid's arms because they made a mistake!"

"I can't leave the house till I graduate. I've done just fine so far and I'm not worried about it. Okay? You need to concentrate on yourself anyway. I've lived with it since I was little."

"But what if he goes too far? I won't be able to live with myself if that happened, Ana."

"He never goes too far. It's just like grounding a kid, Melicia. It's not that bad."

"But if something does... everyone will blame me because of what I said and they would be right to--" she yawned again, eyes drooping.

"HEY!" Ana called loudly, pulling into the hospital. Melicia didn't jump awake, slumping in the seat as she passed out.

"Son of a freaking bitch!" Ana yelped, jumping out of her side of the Hummer. She hurried over toward the other side, yanking the door open. She jumped upward, slapping Melicia's cheeks. "C'mon, Melicia! We're here! You have to help me walk in!"

"Mama, don't make me go to school today... I'm too tired," Melicia mumbled as her eyes fluttered open, the once bright blue now dull and filled with disorientation.

"That's fine, let's go," Ana sighed with relief, easing Melicia out of the car.

*~*~*

Ana thankfully slumped into one of the empty plastic chairs as she watched Melicia being wheeled toward the OR. Ana had practically carried the older girl into the Emergency Room and rattled off all the information that she could possibly emit. The doctors recognized her immediately from her mother working there and praised her for her smart actions. Ana didn't really care about their praise, just thankful that Melicia would be okay. Ana winced when she pulled her cell phone out from pressing on her hip. The pain from her previous injuries started to come back with a vengance as she glanced at the clock. It was five in the morning. Knowing it was important, she dialed AJ's cell.

"Thank God you're alright!" AJ answered. "Did you find Mella? Is she okay? What happened?"

"Okay, take a deep breath, AJ," Ana commented, somewhat disoriented from his barage of questions.
AJ did as she told him, calming down a little. "Did you find her?"

"Yeah, I found her. She's going to be okay, too. I had to take her to Orlando Memorial Hospital, though. She was attacked, but I found her. She was awake and alert. The doctors assured me that she'll recover completely."

"She was ATTACKED? Oh God... where did you say y'all were?"

"You need to calm down first. I don't want you driving while your skitzing. I told you, AJ. She's going to be okay," Ana stressed once more, deciding not to explain how the doctors had praised Ana for her quick actions, because without her knowledge, Melicia might have been dead.

"I'm plenty calm, and we're all carpooling anyways," AJ paused for a moment, trying to hold back his tears.

"Thank you for finding her, Ana. I mean it."

"She's at Orlando Memorial Hospital," Ana answered, directly avoiding AJ's last comment.

"We'll be there as soon as we can."

Ana managed some type of reply as she clicked off her phone. She sighed heavily, knowing that the morning hours were creeping up quickly. She reached for her phone yet again, dialing Pierce's cell. She wanted Pierce to calm her frazzled nerves, but he just heightened the effect when he realized it was Ana.

"Shit, Surf! You're dad just called. He's going to be home at six. The guys all piled out of here and I have the house spotless. I told him you were grabbing a shower so I could take you out to breakfast for a special surprise. He said he'll see us at six..."

"Damnit," Ana cursed her luck. "I'm not going to be able to make it back by six... What are the chances that you can pull the whole marriage thing? Saying that you had me run out so that you could ask him for my hand and the whole nine yards?"

"Your dad likes me, Ana, but not that much let you marry me at our age," Pierce replied. "Where are you?"

"I can't really say..." she hesitated, knowing that she would just have to face her father's wrath.

"What do you mean? I thought you could tell me anything, Sweetheart."

"I had to take Melicia to the hospital because she got hurt, but I have to wait till her family gets here to leave... Although i really don't want to face them. I just want to slip out, but I don't like the idea of Melicia being in surgery without anyone waiting... So, there's no way that I'm going to make it home."

"Do you think your dad would understand if I told him that?" Pierce asked hopefully.

"No, he wants me home. And if he found out that I was singing at the concert... I already stepped out of the boundries too much this month... Just... I'm just going to have to face him," Ana stated with defeat.

"What do you mean face him, Babe?"

"Nothing, Pierce. Don't worry about it. Thanks for cleaning up the house and stuff. You can head home. I'll give you a call later tonight, okay?"

"Alright. Be careful on the way home, okay?"

"Pierce, I'm just driving home. There's nothing to be careful about," Ana chided, knowing that Pierce could be too overprotective at times.

"I know, but still..." Pierce sighed. "Talk to you later, Surf."

"I love you, Pierce," she cooed.

"Love you too, Ana," he chuckled before hanging up.
Chapter 26 by Starry Eyes
Ana was sitting in the waiting room, fiddling with the torn hem of her tank top when a voice echoed through the hallway. "Ana!" looking up, she saw it was the guys plus Melicia's family.

Ana groaned openly, slumping further down on her seat. She hadn't really planned on confronting them. Her mind had strategically planned waiting for them to arrive and then quickly slip away without them noticing, but it wasn't going the way she planned. She shook her head in disbelief, glancing at her watch. It was seven in the morning and her father would be reeling at the moment. She took a deep breath, trying to pretend that she hadn't heard while becoming invisable.

AJ came running up to the younger woman, wondering why she didn't reply. "Ana?"

"Hey, AJ," she murmured quietly, keeping her gaze focused on the tiles of the floor.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. She was just wheeled into surgery an hour ago to repair her shoulder. She was shot in the shoulder and when I hoisted her up I saw she had blood on the back of her shirt, too, so the bullet came out. So, they'll just repair any tears in the muscles, ligaments, and cauterize bleeding. She lost a bit of blood, so they'll probably get her a transfusion, too. Her ribs were obviously broken, but they can't do anything about those, because they'll heal on their own. She has bumps and bruises, but they'll fade. So, she'll be okay," Ana rambled off like a true professional, still glancing at the floor. Her heart slammed in her ribcage, praying that Howie didn't talk to her.

"How do you know all that?" AJ asked in amazement, not realizing that Ana was so intelligent. When she was around her friends, she acted like a normal teenager with ideas of partying and having fun. Yet, there she sat, almost on the same level as a doctor.

"I'm an EMT and I'm going to medical school at Duke. Dad wanted me to be ahead of the game before Fall Semester," Ana whispered, hearing the rest of the footsteps of people surrounding her.

"I'm glad you found her before someone else did that could hurt her any worse," AJ sat down next to her. "Are you alright?"

"You shouldn't worry about me, AJ. Melicia's the one in surgery. I'm perfectly fine, I just got to get going," Ana rambled, standing up only to be confronted by an older woman and older man. She quickly bit down the urge to swear as she gazed into their worried eyes. "Your Melicia's grandparents?" Ana guessed softly.

"Yes. I'm Hoke, and this is Paula. AJ told us what you did for our granddaughter, and we want to thank you," Hoke replied.

"It's not a big deal, but I'm glad to meet you. Melicia always had great things to say about both of you... I'm...uh...Anastacia by the way," Ana answered shyly, offering her bruised hand toward Paula and Hoke.

Hoke shook her hand with a soft smile. When Pauls took her hand, she gently pulled Ana in for a hug. Ana resisted the urge to yelp loudly as pain ripped down her back. The hours had finally taken a toll on her body and she knew she was in trouble as soon as she returned home. Trying to forget her fears about returning home, Ana hugged the smaller woman back. When she pulled away, Paula still held a sweet smile on her face. Ana had never been close to her grandparents, because her mother's parents were deceased and her father's parents were cold. She silently told herself that Melicia was quite lucky to have all the family support. "Melicia's going to be okay, Mrs. Dorough," Ana comforted.

"Please, call me Paula, dear. From the way Melicia has talked about you, it seems like you are both close friends."

"I'd be more comfortable calling you Mrs. Dorough for the time being and Melicia is definitely one of my closest friends," Ana assured, silently adding to herself that Melicia had been close to her till Howie weasled in.

Paula nodded with understanding. "That's alright, Anastacia... do you go by that?"

"Usually Ana, but my father and mother always taught me to introduce myself with my whole name or something," Ana stated with a small laugh, running her fingers through her tangled curls.

"I'll call you Ana, then. You seem more comfortable with that," Paula smiled, intrigued with the young woman.

"Definitely," Ana stated with a geniuine smile. "I'd really love to stay with you, but I think this is more of a family matter. I'm just satisfied that Melicia is safe and sound in the hospital. I'll do my best to visit later... It was great to meet you both, Mr. and Mrs. Dorough."

"Likewise, Ana," they replied with kind smiles, shaking her hand again.

Ana smiled again, turning away, but immediately bumped into Kevin, Brian, Nick, and Howie. Her cheeks turned a furious crimson as Paula sat down beside AJ rubbing his back gently and Hoke stood to speak with the rest of his children. "I...I guess I'm playing ping pong tonight and bumping into everyone?" she guessed offhandedly.

Ana smiled again, turning away, but immediately bumped into Kevin, Brian, Nick, and Howie. Her cheeks turned a furious crimson as Paula sat down beside AJ rubbing his back gently and Hoke stood to speak with the rest of his children. "I...I guess I'm playing ping pong tonight and bumping into everyone?" she guessed offhandedly.

"Listen, Ana... we heard about what Melicia said to you, and we're really sorry," Kevin replied softly. "We all taught her better than to act like that, especially with friends--"

"It's not a big deal. She was just angry. I shouldn't have overstepped boundries like that and I know better now," Ana answered, trying to end the entire conversation, glancing toward her watch - 7:30am.

"Are you sure--"

"I'm positive. It was my mistake," Ana stated, glancing to Howie for a moment. His eyes clouded with pain as he realized that she meant their whole relationship was a mistake. He swallowed hard and looked back at her.

Ana reverted her eyes back to the other three when Howie attempted to speak. She had done her part. Melicia was safe. She needed to break away now. "Melicia's going to be okay, just like I told AJ. She'll have some steps to climb, but she'll bounce back. I really think this is a family issue now and I need to go. Just... Tell Melicia I love her and I'll try to stop by later?"

"Of course we'll tell her," Kevin replied as he kissed her cheek, Brian and Nick doing the same. Howie stood there for a moment and then leaned in and kissed her forehead.

"I'm sorry," she whispered to him, feeling her heart crumple.

"So am I. We'll talk later, okay?" he replied quietly, taking her hand and kissing it.

"I really have to go," Ana repeated, pulling her hand away from his lips. She didn't want to talk later, because there was nothing to talk about. She wouldn't blur the lines again. She refused to have Melicia hurt again.

"Can't you stay with us?" Howie pleaded softly.

"No, I really--"

"Dorough Family?" a male voice called from the OR hallway, walking toward the waiting room. Immediately, everyone lurched toward the man, taking their gaze off Ana. She sighed with relief, slipping in between Nick and Kevin, running toward the enterance with a newly lit fire, she had to get home before her father killed her.

"How is she?" Howie asked as his mother placed her hand on his shoulder.

"She's going to be just fine thanks to Anastacia Lord's quick actions," the doctor answered with a sharp smile, glancing around the bunch to locate Ana. He frowned slightly when he couldn't find her, glancing back at his notes. "Anastacia doesn't seem to be around though... You know, her mother worked in the OR of this hospital. Brilliant woman... Anastacia is likely to follow in her footsteps and we'd be proud to have her work beside us. You should really thank her for retrieving and caring for Melicia."

"We were thanking her when we got here, but she wouldn't go into detail about what happened. Could you fill us in, please?"

"Melicia was attacked as I'm sure you all know. She was shot in her left shoulder, but thankfully the bullet entered and exited her body. We used arthroscopy to go in and repair some of the torn muscle and ligaments, along with stopping all the bleeding. She'll have three puncture wounds with stitches along the joint, along with the initial bullet wound. She'll have to go through some physical therapy, but I believe she will regain full use of her shoulder. Secondly, she broke two ribs, but we can't do anything about them, so they'll heal on their own. She has a mild concussion, but that will subside. And the all knowing bumps and bruises. She's a very lucky girl."

Howie's eyes grew wide as he realized that Ana had truly saved Melicia's life, even after all the cruel words had been thrown at her. "I-um-uh-wow... when are we able to see her?"

"She's being wheeled from the PACU now and being set up in her own room. She'll be a little groggy, but you can see her," the doctor assured with a smile.

"We'd like to talk to our granddaughter alone," Hoke finally announced as the doctor walked away to tend to other issues. He helped his wife up from the chair, instantly wrapping his arms around her. "We're going to tell her we love her and that we're glad she's safe. Then she's going to get the longest lecture of her young adult life."

"And it's going to take awhile, I've had plenty of those when I was younger," John commented with a weary smile. His niece was just like him in a lot of ways when it came to getting in trouble.

"What do you mean when you were younger? I still recall you getting quite a few in this day and age," Pollyanna teased lightly.

"I do not--"

"Children, stop arguing," Paula chided with a smile. "Just wait here until we get back."

Everyone nodded in agreement, sitting themselves in the waiting room. AJ was surprised to find Howie by his side. He shrunk a little, leaning toward Brian, who sat on his other side. Howie was about to speak when Pollyanna glanced to her youngest sibling with question. "The girl that Mom and Pop were talking to... Anastacia? Was that the one that started this mess?" Pollyanna asked.

"No, I'M the one who started the mess," Howie replied, defending Ana. "If I hadn't started the whole relationship, Mella wouldn't be here..."

"No, Howie, you misunderstood me," Pollyanna answered in surprise, crouching down beside him. "I'm not blaming Anastacia and you shouldn't blame yourself for what happened. Melicia shouldn't have reacted like that in any way, shape, or form. Even if she didn't like what was happening, it was your choice to follow your heart. Anastacia's eighteen and she seems pretty level-headed, frankly, none of us can disagree on why you went for her."

"But I shouldn't have done what I did right outside where Mella could have seen us--"

"You kissed the girl, Howie. You've kissed plenty of girls. It's not your fault," Angie confirmed, leaning to brush a kiss on Howie's forehead. "Melicia is just an over-emotional teenager, much like our John. She'll grow up and she'll forgive you."

"I'm not a teenager," John groaned.

"You're missing the point, brother," Pollyanna laughed. "Howie, you can't let Melicia run your life. She's the niece and you're the legal guardian. If anything, you might have been rash about AJ and her. So, we're going to leave you to your thoughts and leave you to AJ. We're going to the caf for some breakfast. Okay?"

"Okay, okay. Bring me back an apple?" Howie replied as his siblings and the guys stood up.

"We'll bring you both back something better than an apple," John volunteered.

*~*~*

"Howie, I'm really sorry about what happened. I should have been honest with you right from the get-go, but Mella was so scared about what you'd think. She was so lonely after Sarah... She just wanted to be loved and I wanted to be the one that loved her. I'm still your best friend, D. I never wanted to do anything that would jeprodize our friendship, but I love Melicia. I love her a lot. There's nothing you can do to change that," AJ blurted quickly when Howie turned to him.

Howie held his hand up to silence his friend. "I know there's nothing I can do to change that. And I understand why you two are together anyways, because you're perfect for one another. I'm sorry for over-reacting the way I did, it was just a shock to see my little niece in that position with my best friend--"

"I understand completely, Howie. I'm just really sorry that it turned out this way. I hope you can forgive me?"

"Of course. Do you forgive me for almost ripping your shirt off and killing you?"

"Am I allowed to still date Melicia?"

"You don't even have to ask... just take care of her, okay?"

"I really love her, Howie."

"I know you do, and I could see she loves you a lot."

"I won't ever hurt her."

"You better not, or I'll come after your invisible ass," Howie replied with a smile as he held out his arms for a brotherly hug.

"Still my best friend?" AJ asked, giving him a tight hug.

"Always and forever, man."

"How... How are you doing though, man?"

"Honestly? I feel like a train wreck."

"Melicia's going to be okay."

"I know she is... and I know Sarah did protect her, because she could have died. But then the whole Ana relationship. I just... I just don't want it to end, you know? I really care about her."

"How do you know it's going to end?"

"Because of the look Ana gave me before she slipped out of here."

"I still can't believe that you and Ana..."

"I know, I shouldn't have snuck around. But honestly, J, I was going to tell her last night about Ana and I. She just beat us to it."

"You love Ana?"

"With all my heart, man."

"Damn," AJ whistled in surprise.

"I know, talk about being a hypocrite after I freaked on you and Mella, huh?"

"Yeah, not to mention that Ana's younger than Mella and you're older than me--"

"Don't even finish that sentence, McLean," Howie groaned.

"So, you're sure it's over between you and Ana?"

"I know she doesn't want to hurt Mella anymore. And catching us with what they were doing really hurt her. So, I guess we are..."

"I'm...uh...sorry, D?"

Howie shook his head. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

"You're starting to sound like Ana."

"She does have that sort of influence on people," Howie agreed.

"I bet she was different than your other girlfriends," AJ murmured, clasping his hands in front of him. He felt awful that it took such tragic circumstances for him to have Howie's approval over Melicia.

"She's different than anyone I've ever met. I just wish I hadn't blown it like I did."

"Maybe when she comes to visit Mella, you can talk to her?"

"I'm hoping I can. Right now I need to talk to Mella--"

"Your parents are already starting the lecture, D."

"No, not a lecture from me," Howie rolled his eyes. "That girl will never do anything wrong again after Mom and Pop are done with her. I need to apologize."

"That's a good start."

"Do you think she'll forgive me?"

"Yeah, as long as you forgive her for that bruise on your jaw," AJ smirked.

Howie scowled as he gently touched his jaw. "That girl can freaking punch, I'm telling you. She almost broke it."

"She learned that from Ana," AJ laughed, unable to see the serious side.

"You're really humorous early in the morning, amigo. Really, you are," Howie rolled his eyes as he nudged AJ in the shoulder.

"That's because I haven't had any sleep."

"You'll sleep better tonight."

Howie was about to reply when the group came walking back.

"Everything all set?" Kevin called, handing a tray filled with various breakfast items to the two men.

"Yeah, everything's cool--" Howie was pushed aside by AJ, who was nearly drooling over the tray of food.

"FOOD!"

"Figured as much," Brian laughed, watching AJ dig into the food as if everything were perfect in the world.
Chapter 27 by Starry Eyes
Howie sighed softly as he walked into Melicia's room, knowing that the biggest bump in their relationship was about to be climbed. He had told his parents and siblings to go home and rest, because he would be there for Melicia. Now, the guys were waiting outside till he was done. Howie smiled softly as he seated himself by Melicia's bed. She was staring listlessly at the TV screen, her left arm in a snuggly fit sling, a sharp bruise on her cheek, and remaining tears in her eyes from the firm lecture from her grandparents. "Hey, Melicia, you missed the concert," Howie called softly.

"Yeah, I know... not feeling too great about that right now."

"It's not a big deal. Ana said some sweet things about Sarah and she sang beautifully," Howie replied, carefully holding his niece's IV'ed hand in his own. He followed the tubing to see a small pack of transfusing blood.

"I still wished I hadn't fucked it all up by not showing up. I really wanted to sing for Mama, Uncle Howie," she whispered, tears falling down her cheeks. "I'm sure she's feeling pretty disappointed in me right now."

"You sing for your mom every day, Mella. She didn't need to hear you on stage. And she's not disappointed in you. If anything, she should be disappointed in me."

"Why would she be? I'm the one who said all those words to my best friend, punched you and ran away only to get beat up, shot and have my wallet stolen. Mama's picture was in there, Uncle Howie."

"We have plenty of pictures of Sarah, Mella. We'll get you another one."

"Not the one I have! Only her and I had it. The one she had was with her on the Eleventh... it was of her, me and Daddy when I was born."

"I'm sorry, Mella..."

"So am I. All this happened because I was acting stupid."

"I'm sorry about other things, too, Mella," Howie whispered, kissing her hand gently. "I'm sorry for yelling about you and AJ. I realize that you love him very much and it was stupid for me to say that you were incapable of loving. You're very capable of making your own decisions about your love life. I also want to apologize for slinking around with Ana behind your back. I should have been straight with that. I'm sorry that you walked in on us like that, but you don't have to worry. It won't happen again, okay? I just want you to forgive me for being a terrible uncle."

"You're not a terrible uncle. You've been there for me since the attacks and I don't know what would have happened if I had to live with someone else. Mama made a good choice when she chose you, Uncle Howie. You should have told me about you and Ana, but I should have told you about me and AJ."

"I am a terrible uncle," he sighed.

"No, you're not. If anything, I'm a terrible niece and best friend."

"Mella, you were just upset, Honey."

"I shouldn't have freaked out, Uncle Howie. Now I've broken up you and Ana. She should have just left me in that alley..." Melicia trailed off, breaking her gaze from Howie's.

"Ana would have never left you in the alley. And there's no way that any of us would have wanted you left in the alley. She still cares for you, Mella. She's a true friend, because she loves you. She's not going to let one little thing come between you two. If anything, that's the reason she'll let me go, because she wants you to be her friend."

"B-But you love Ana... don't you?"

"It doesn't matter, Mella."

"Yes, it does. Don't you remember what you've always said? Persue the love you find, no matter where it blossoms? You should be listening to your own advice. I saw you two loved each other when I walked up to her house."

"Mella, I'm just going to concentrate on you."

"But Uncle Howie--"

"No, Mella, not now. Why don't we just start anew. We'll work on you getting better and just take it from there, okay?" Howie soothed, not wanting to bring up his tortured heart at the moment. Ana's gloomy eyes seemed to tear at his soul every time he closed his eyes.

Melicia sighed heavily, knowing it would be awhile before she could get Howie to talk about Ana. "Okay. Have you talked to--" a sharp pain invaded her side as she shifted a little in the bed. "Ow!"

"Those would be broken ribs, the doctor said it take a few to heal."

Melicia rested her right hand against her side, taking shallow breaths. "Ow, ow, ow, ow."

"Here," Howie sighed, reaching for a pillow. He carefully placed it against her side to support her. Melicia smiled with relief, settling back against the bed. The doctor had infused a steady stream of morphine to drown the pain, which Melicia was thankful for. "And, to answer your question, I did talk to AJ."

"And what happened?"

"He decided I could keep you," AJ called softly, walking into the room. He beamed a smile toward her, offering a fluffy white teddy bear.

"Alex!" she squealed happily. Howie smiled at his niece's excitement.

"I didn't think it would be right to keep you away from the guy you are obviously crazy about."

"He loves me too much to kick me out of the house anyway," AJ chuckled, leaning over to kiss her gently. Melicia's cheeks blushed a furious red at his affection. AJ simply ran his fingers through her dark locks. "You scared the shit out of me, you know?"

"I know and I'm sorry... I didn't mean to scare anyone, I was just so... I don't know. Running away seemed good at the time."

"Don't you ever run anywhere ever again. Okay? You can always come to me or your uncle or Nick or Brian or Kevin. Any of us. Okay?" AJ sighed, kissing her again.

"I won't, believe me. I'm really sorry."

"I know you are, but at least we can be together in the open now," AJ answered, winking to Howie.

"No making out in front of me, Bone. I don't need to see that," Howie teased as he kissed Melicia's forehead. "But you two don't have to sneak around anymore."

"Okay, okay, we'll go to my house to make out."

Howie was about to comment, but the other three boys walked in. They carefully leaned over the bed, kissing her cheeks, and telling her how much they loved her. Howie was grateful to have such great friends that cared so much about his family. Howie smiled, leaning back in his chair.

"How's the arm?" Brian asked, settling into a seat beside Howie.

"Hurts like Hell," Melicia frowned. "But I get morphine, so it's all good."

"You're damn lucky Ana found you," Nick stated bluntly, leaning against the nearby wall. He knew everyone was trying to step around the obvious, but Nick had always had a hard time dealing with the so called purple elephant in the middle of the room.

"Don't you think I know that, Nick? The girl saved my life."

"Yet you treated her like dirt?" Nick countered.

"I told her I was sorry, okay! God, I feel bad enough as it is, so back off!"

"Don't get upset with Nick, Melicia. He's just trying to make a valid point," Kevin countered, knowing Nick's heart was in the right place. "You were down-right-dispicable toward Ana. Under the circumstances, no one would have blamed her for looking the other direction. I thought we taught you better than that. To wish death on her then to accuse her father of something so horrendous... What were you thinking?"

"Obvioulsy I wasn't, because I regret what I said. Listen, I got this lecture from Gram and Pops, I don't need it again! Don't you think I wish she had just left me in that alley? I didn't deserve her help!"

"Melicia calm down," AJ urged softly.

"I'm not going to calm down when eveyone is rubbing in my face that Ana didn't have to stop and save my fucking life!"

"We're not rubbing it in your face. We're just saying that we all raised you better than that. Ana was so worried about you when she sat out there. She sat there for hours, knowing that her father was coming home this morning, just to make sure you were okay. Her father is hardly around and you know that she loves spending time with him, but yet she stayed, waiting for you," Brian stressed softly.

"She shouldn't have done that," Melicia whispered, looking down at her hands. "I'm not worth the wrath she's going to face at home."

"What are you talking about?" Howie asked in surprise.

"N-Nothing. I just meant that she's--"

"Wrath? What wrath?" Howie interupted. Melicia sighed, looking up at AJ for help.

"She's just talking about Ana getting grounded for staying out all night," AJ answered, biting back his bitter words. It would have been the prime choice to tell Howie about the situation, but it would only cause more distress on Melicia's part.

"Yeah. Then that means she won't be able to go out and surf for while," Melicia added, knowing it was going to be longer than she let on and it was all her fault.

"Her father will understand," Kevin sighed.

"If not, we'll go over and explain," Brian countered.

"No!" Melicia objected.

"No? Why?" Kevin asked in confusion.

"Ana's dad won't listen to what happened. He's stubborn like that... besides, he'll just ground her longer if we butt into their business," she lied.

"How is he going to ground her longer for helping a close friend?" Howie questioned with confusion, rubbing his temples. Any time Ana's family situation was brought into the picture, it was drawn as hazy and foggy. None of the pieces seemed to settle into the right places.

"It's the way he is."

"He won't let her keep a surfboard that her mother made for her, he'll ground her longer for helping a friend, and he won't let her in the house without a nice dress or skirt on?" Howie repeated.

"Um, well, I--"

"Just ask her about it tomorrow when she visits Melicia?" AJ ventured.

"Yeah. She'll be here tomorrow, you can ask her about it then," Melicia agreed, shooting AJ a look of thanks.

"I don't think she's willing to talk to me at the moment. She'll be here to see you, Mella," Howie sighed, leaning back on his seat. All the guys passed looks of sympathy toward Howie, knowing that it was hard for him.

"Uncle Howie, let me talk to her about you two. I'm sure she just needs time to think and hear from me that it's okay--"

"Mella, what did I tell you before?" Howie objected.

"But, Uncle Howie!"

"Melicia, don't."

Melicia sighed, giving up for the moment. She knew Howie and Ana were meant to be together, she just needed to work on it. "Alright, fine. So... did the doctor say when I can go home?"

"Two days," AJ stated.

"I have to stay in a hospital for two days?" Melicia groaned. She hated hospitals, especially since her Aunt Caroline passed away when she was younger. "I'm going to fall so far behind in school, I won't be able to graduate in a few months!"

"We're going to get your school work and we'll be here," AJ objected.

"Still doesn't mean I have to like being here..."

"No, but it means your staying here," Howie chuckled.

"This sucks," she pouted. "The food here is like, rotted. I can smell it already. Can't they serve Mickey D's or something?"

"No, but I'll pick you up some," AJ volunteered, kissing her.

Melicia finally smiled as she grabbed a hold of his t-shirt with her good hand and kissed him again.

"HEY! HEY! HEY! WE DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT!" the other four objected.

AJ and Melicia just laughed as they broke the kiss. "Are they going to say that all the time?" she asked him.

"Yeah, probably," he answered, not caring as he slipped her another kiss.

*~*~*

Ana sighed heavily as she sat in her driveway with the massive Hummer in idle. She gazed at her father's expensive Mercedes Benz parked in the tidy garage, knowing that he would be pacing in the study with his famous gin tonic. She glanced at the clock on her CD player - nine in the morning. She honestly thought about never going in, but he would find her. He always found her and her back had already caused her enough pain. It would be easier on her if she faced the music earlier instead of later. Maybe she could slip away with minor injuries. Knowing her final decision, Ana eased her car into the driveway and parked. "God give me strength," she whispered to herself, slowly easing herself down from the huge Hummer. Her heart hammered in her chest as she walked up to the door. Sighing heavily, she grasped the doorknob and opened it, walking inside.

The door shutting sounded like gunfire inside her house. She cringed as she heard the lumbering footsteps. Her father appeared in the doorway of the study, sure enough with the gin tonic secured tightly in his massive hand. He quickly glanced to the clock, shaking his head in disappointment. His sapphire eyes were dark with anger and disgust as he sized up his daughter. "Anastacia Grace Lord! Who the Hell do you think you are?! Galavanting around with boys in all hours of the night instead of studying?! Do you want Duke to terminate your scholarship? Do you want to be a disappointment to this family? God damnit, Ana! I thought we were over this rebellious streak! Do I have to beat it out of you!? First the ninety-eight, then staying out at all hours, talking back, AND LOOK AT YOUR CLOTHES! WHAT WERE YOU DOING?!"

"Dad... I'm sorry... I..." Ana couldn't even find the proper words to form in her mouth as she glanced at her clothing. Her expensive sweater-tank top torn to expose her navel. Her expensive black pants torn and caked with dirt. Her curls frazzled and dishelved around her shoulders. Not to mention the fact that she wasn't wearing a skirt in the first place.

"What, now you've forgotten how to talk right? You better explain yourself right now!"

"Dad, I was just helping a friend--"

"One of your boyfriends? Were you explaining the female anatomy? Was that it?!" he fired, throwing the thick glass in her direction. Ana jerked in surprise as the glass shattered behind her on the door, collecting in her hair.

"No, Dad! It's not like that!"

"Do you think I'm stupid or something, Ana?! I know why you have so many boys for friends, I just can't believe my own daughter would do such a thing!"

"I don't think you're stupid," Ana murmured dejectedly. Her father obviously took offense to her demeanor and stalked over to her. Without any thought, he grabbed a fistful of her long blonde curls, yanking her toward the living room. Ana could feel the blood trickle from the stressed curls as he flung her onto the floor with heated energy.

"I don't know what to do with you anymore! You're just like your mother, so careless and happy go lucky! Not everything is all good in the world, Ana. Why do you think she got her fool self killed in that plane? Because she was on it to come and see you SING. SINGING will not get you ANYWHERE!"

"It wasn't my fault. She told me it wasn't my fault. Momma loved to hear me sing," Ana replied with tears already streaming down her cheeks. She watched her father reach for a heavy iron poker that was used with their marble fireplace. Ana could only remember many happy nights cuddled in her mother's arms while they toasted S'mores in the burning embers.

"How many times have I told you not to talk back to me, Anastacia?!"

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"You should be, because you caused your mother's death. You caused my misery! I should have shipped you off to my blood-sucking parents, but I thought that I might be able to help you get into Duke. And I did! Your stupid blonde nature couldn't get you into Duke. Do you know why you got into Duke? Because I paid them a huge sum to dedicate a library in your mother's honor! That's why you got in! Now what do you do instead of being thankful? Skip school, have wild sex, probably do drugs, EVERYTHING IN THE GOD-DAMNED BOOK! Do you need to be taught a lesson AGAIN?! I thought the belt last week was plently, but it obviously did nothing!" her father roared, pushing her sharply in the chest with the iron poker several times.

"I was behaving. Pierce can tell you, Dad!" Ana winced as she was pushed onto her back.

"You've probably been giving Pierce some sex so he'll lie for you! If your mother could see you now, she would be so disappointed in you! Everything has been going wrong since you met that little slut across the street! Who was it, the niece of a Fagstreet Boy?"

"Melicia isn't the problem!" Ana countered.

"OH! Her name is MELICIA, is it? I guess I'll have to go over and talk to her after you get punished!" he replied, poking her hard in the chest again with the poker as he accented each word.

"Howie won't let you get near---"

"Don't talk back to me!"

"Dad, would you just--" Ana's voice was silenced with a swift kick to her side. She grunted in surprise, immediately trying to coil into a ball, but her father countered. He pressed his finely polished shoe deep into her chest, immobilizing her on the floor. He raised the poker high in the air, throwing it down with force. On instinct, Ana reached her casted hand up to block the blow. The deadly block cracked her cast and sent an intense fire coursing through her healing bones. He wrenched back in surprise, obviously furious at her attempt to neglect her punishment. He pressed his shoe deeper in her chest and stablized her right leg with his other foot. He delivered several sharp blows of the iron poker to the upper portion of her leg till they heard a sickening crack. Ana screamed wretchedly as a blinding pain shot up her spine.

"HUSH YOUR MOUTH RIGHT NOW OR IT'LL BE FAR WORSE!" he roared.

"YOU BROKE IT!" she shrieked, managed to wiggle free from the heel of his foot. She coughed violently as she attempted to rise to her feet, stumbling back to the ground whenever weight was applied to her broken femur. She screamed again as the muscles started to contract around the bone, violently contorting the injury. She heard the iron clammer to the floor as he roared in obsenties, hoisting her up by her hair. She stumbled again as he made her apply weight to her broken leg.

"IF YOU KEEP THIS UP, I'LL BREAK YOU GOD DAMN NECK, ANA! AND DON'T THINK I WON'T!" He shouted, throwing her into the wall.

"I CAN'T STAND ON MY LEG!" she screamed as he crushed his legs into her affected leg, forcing it onto the ground. Large black blobs clouded her eyes as the pain envolked her entire soul. She felt his heavy hand pound against her face and chest.

"MAYBE IF I DESTROY YOUR PRETTY FACE YOU'LL BE EASIER TO CONTROL!"

"It hurts! Just leave me alone!" she sobbed as his fist slammed into her jaw again.

"DON'T TELL ME TO LEAVE YOU ALONE! I'M YOUR FATHER AND YOU WILL NOT TALK TO ME LIKE THAT!"

"I'm s-s-sorry, Dad!" she yelped. He slammed her aching back hard into the wall again before letting her slump to the floor. Ana coughed violently, clawing at the floor in a vain attempt to get away. She stared at the white carpet, noticing her crimson blood tainting a large spot. She thought he would leave her alone, but his lesson wasn't through. He immediately reached for the leather belt around his waist. He pulled it quickly through the loops, coiling it tightly around his hand, leaving a large lead to snap against her flesh.

"Come back here, I'm not done with you!" he roared, striding over to her, belt in his hand.

"Where the Hell am I going to go!" she choked in agony, knowing that she should have held her words. She felt her father straddle her back, ripping the tattered clothing away from her body. She sobbed openly as she felt the pressure of his massive body relieved. She started to crawl away again, but felt a sharp bite of leather cross into her already bloody back. She screamed as several more whip-like actions were repeated across her tender flesh.

"When-are-you-going-to-LEARN?!" He shouted, each word followed with a whip of the belt.

Ana could feel her flesh tearing open as the force behind each blow became stronger than the last. She felt dizzy as she struggled to grip the soft carpet for support. Her mind struggled to put her in a silent world of darkness, but she fought with every ounce of strength, knowing that if she slipped off she might never wake up. "I HATE YOU SO MUCH!" she screamed.

"THE FEELING IS MUTUAL! I WISH YOU HAD NEVER BEEN BORN!"

"THEN DO ME A FAVOR AND TAKE ME OUT OF THE WORLD!" Ana shrieked back, unable to hold her emotions at bay. She heard the belt be thrown across the room. She allowed her bleeding face to collapse onto the carpet, hoping that it was the end. Instead, her father flipped her roughly to her back, kneeling against her pained body. He slid his hands tightly around her throat, starting to compress her windpipe. Ana started to gasp for air, clawing at his large hands as they continued to press the air out of her lungs.

"You want taken out of the world? It would be a Hell of a lot easier on me. You'll leave the world fighting just like your stupid mother. Do you know that I was happy when she died, Ana? Do you know why? Because I blamed her for giving me a disgusting daughter. She spoiled you rotten and now I'm throwing the rotten core into the trash," her father hissed as Ana slowly slipped into an unconscious world.
Chapter 28 by Starry Eyes
"Alex, do you think Ana's still mad at me? And that's why she hasn't visited me? Or do you think she's just avoiding Uncle Howie?" Melicia asked seriously as she and AJ walked slowly down the hospital hallway. It was her second day and she was to be discharged in a few hours. The doctors had suggested she take a walk to increase her flexibility. Melicia had consented as soon as AJ volunteered to tag along. Her bruises and bumps were slowly diminishing, but her ribs and shoulder remained painful.

"Ana's not mad at you, Sweetie. I'm sure she just doesn't want to confront Howie right now. Unless it's something else that's keeping her instead," he gave her a knowing look. "Is this enough of a reason to tell your uncle what you're scared something is going on with Ana and her dad?"

"I'd rather settle on the whole Ana's avoiding Uncle Howie bet," Melicia answered wearily, pressing herself deeper into AJ's side.

"I know you do, but we can't ignore this, Baby. What if he finally snapped?" AJ whispered, kissing the sire of her head.

"You could have told them two nights ago, you know?" she countered.

"You could have, too."

"I thought you would."

AJ bit his lip as they walked down the hall. "Right now I'm wishing one of us had instead of saying nothing."

"I just think she doesn't want to face Uncle Howie."

"Well, let's pray that's the reason and not--"

"Don't even say that."

"Sorry, Mella."

"She's fine," Melicia repeated. "She just has to be."

"I'm sure she is," he stopped them for a moment and leaned down to kiss her softly.

"I'm so glad Uncle Howie is cool with us," Melicia cooed when they parted. She wrapped her good arm around his neck, pulling him down for another kiss. She loved the taste of his lips.

"You and me both. I knew he would realize it sooner or later," AJ smiled, licking his lips and tasting her on them. "You're sweet like your nickname, Syrup."

"Well you taste nothing like a pancake," Melicia pouted.

"I don't think anyone can taste like a pancake, Baby," he chuckled, running a hand through her hair.

AJ moaned into her mouth as her nails ran up and down his back. "You gotta stop doing that to me. Makes me want to do things we can't until your ribs are all healed."

"We can find other things," she assured quietly.

"We can't do that here, Mella--"

"I'm talking about when I'm discharged," she laughed.

AJ's face turned beet red as Melicia continued to laugh. "You little brat."

"You know you love me."

"More than you'll ever know, Mella."

"I think I already know."

"What helped you know that?" he whispered, caressing her cheek with his thumb.

"When you were willing to give up your friendship with Uncle Howie to be with me."

"I would do anything to make sure I would be with you, Melicia. That's something I promise you. Okay?"

"I know," she answered with a smile, leaning up to kiss him again. AJ laughed, running his thumbs carefully down her cheeks as they heard a loud commotion breaking from further down the hallway. Melicia turned to see Pierce, Dominic, Riley, Amos, and Kieran thundering down the hallway. They were talking amongst themselves in a hushed panic. Melicia's eyes grew wide as they approached. "Awe! You guys didn't have to visit me!"

"Actually, we're not," Riley stated flatly.

"Excuse me? What happened, then?" Melicia asked, wondering why they were so cold to her. Ana thought she had explained to them about what happened and knew she had apologized.

"Just tell us one thing. Did you have a fucking vodoo doll on Ana or something?" Pierce asked with pain.

"A vodoo doll? Why would I do that to Ana? We talked about everything after she found me and I apologized. I would never do anything to hurt her--"

"Bullshit! That's pure bullshit! You fucking cursed her!" Dominic blurted, unable to hold his emotion. He glared at Melicia as if she were the Devil. His muscles tensed with pain and intolerance. "Do you know where Pierce found her? Do you have any fucking idea what you did to her?!"

"I didn't do anything! How could I if I'm the fucking hospital?! I don't know what the Hell is going on!" Melicia defended herself.

"Ana was beaten to a pulp," Pierce whispered, his voice void of all emotion. "She didn't call me the first night, so I figured that she was just spending time with her dad... But she didn't call me again today... I went over and she was... God, there was blood everywhere, her pulse was weak, she was barely breathing... I hope you're happy, because she's just been wheeled to ICU. We don't even know if she's going to live till sunset. Her father had a meeting in Europe and couldn't even come to see her."

"What? No... no, this isn't happening. Pierce, I didn't mean what I said and I told her that!"

"You're a heartless bitch," Dominic stated bluntly, pulling Pierce away. "Don't you even fucking come down to the room. We don't want you anywhere near her. Mr. Lord left Pierce in charge."

Tears that were welling up in Melicia's eyes spilled down her cheeks at Dominic's words. They were right, it was all her fault that this had happened. She only whispered 'I'm sorry' and ran down the hallway in the opposite direction, leaving AJ alone with the boys.

"Couldn't you guys give her a break?! She's recovering from an attack!" AJ growled.

"No, we can't. You didn't hear what she said to Ana, who's currently on her fucking death bed. We apologize for being so blunt, but it's the truth. We hope Melicia's really happy. Maybe she'll even do a happy dance on Ana's grave when we're through saying goodbye," Riley hissed angrily.

AJ lunged at Riley and grabbed the collar of his shirt. "I know what Melicia told Ana and I know how truly sorry she is. Obviously YOU don't know what she told Ana the night of the attack, so don't you DARE call her a heartless bitch. The girl lost her mother and now she may lose her best friend and you all have the guts to stand here and curse her out?! I won't have that and I know Ana wouldn't either!"

"Mr. McLean, get off him," Pierce ordered abruptly, not wanting to deal with the chaos. His face had drained of the tan he usually held. His eyes were sullen with fear. "We don't have time to be pissing around."

AJ let go of Riley and just looked at all of the boys. "If anyone should be cursed out, it should be all of you by Ana. If you don't want to forgive Melicia, fine. But don't think you know everything that's been going on when you don't." he turned around and went the way Melicia had run.

"Fucking asshole," Riley grumbled, following the boys down the hall to ICU.

*~*~*

"Uncle Howie! Go kill him! Go kill him! Please, Uncle Howie! Go kill him!" Melicia sobbed openly as she ran back toward her room. She didn't care about bumping or jostling her ribs or shoulder. She just wanted her uncle to tell her that it was a lie. That Ana was waiting in the room. She wanted her uncle to make it better. She felt another sob catch as she burst in on Howie trying to doze. Her pained expression startled him greatly as she flung her aching body into his arms. "You have to kill him, Uncle Howie!"

"What? Kill who? Melicia, what's going on?" Howie asked, his mind jumbled with her ranting.

"He hurt her really bad this time! Really really really bad! You have to hurt him! Go to Europe and kick the shit out of him," she sobbed.

"Whoa! Mella, honey, calm down. Who really hurt who?" Howie tried to calm down his niece. She wasn't making any sense.

"He hurt Ana!"

Howie's face drained as he heard her words. "Who hurt Ana, Baby?"

"You've got to go kill him!"

"I can't do anything unless you tell me who did it!" he grabbed Melicia's shoulders and made her look into his eyes.

Melicia sobbed harder when her eyes connected with her uncle's worried eyes. She should have told in the beginning. She should have never kept it bottled so tightly inside her heart. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she struggled to take a deep breath. "Ana's hurt really bad, Uncle Howie. You've got to make it okay."

Howie reached out with shaking hands and wiped away her tears. He could feel his own slipping down his cheeks. "There's nothing I can do if she's hurt. But if you tell me who did it, I could call the police and--"

"She's in ICU, Uncle Howie! Pierce says she's dying! Go to her room and make her wake up and smile, okay?" Melicia pleaded like a small child, her dreams of Ana dying now becoming a bitter reality. "He went to Europe so they couldn't get him... He didn't even care. He left Pierce in charge of Ana's treatment... He just didn't... She's going to die...."

Howie's heart started to hammer in his chest as he realized who 'he' was. "Mella... Mella, Baby, do you mean Ana's FATHER hurt her like that?"

"He hurt her so bad," Melicia bawled openly.

"Oh God..." something clicked in his mind as he looked at his niece. "He's done this before, hasn't he? That's how her arm got broken and explains the bruises. Mella... please... please tell me you didn't know this all along."

"I didn't... I mean, I f-f-figured... I tried so hard to get her to open up, but she wouldn't... So it's not like I c-could just tell anyone.... But she didn't tell me till she found me in the alley..." Melicia stammered in grief.

"Oh, Mella. Why didn't you tell me anyways? I could have gotten her to tell me sooner--"

"I didn't want her to hate me," Melicia sniffled.

"But now look at what has happened. This is like before, isn't it, Sweetie?"

"Y-Y-Yes."

"But there is one good thing out of all of this, if you can think of it like that. There was no hope for Kerri when she was found. But with Ana, there still is."

"There's no hope! She's lying in that room dying!"

"She's still alive, Mella!"

"Go make her wake up, Uncle Howie. Tell her you love her and that everything's going to be okay. Go wake her up and make her better," Melicia pleaded pitifully as AJ stepped quietly into the room.

"I can't make her wake up, Mella. This isn't a fairy tale... a kiss and saying I love her won't work. I'm sorry..." Howie whispered as more tears streamed down his cheeks.

"She's going to die and it's all my fault! Dom and the guys were right, I am a heartless bitch!" Melicia sobbed into his chest.

"Not all of us thought that..." another voice called softly into the room. AJ and Howie looked back to see Kieran standing timidly at the doorway, his hands shoved deep into his pockets. His eyes were red from crying, obviously just coming from seeing Ana.

Melicia looked up, shocked to see him. "K-Kieran? You don't think that about me?"

"They don't really think that, Melicia. They're just upset about Ana... We all figured she'd bounce back from that back injury and be good as new like before... Pierce never expected to go into her house to find... Well... Find what he found. He was in shock and then he called Dom to help him get Ana to the hospital... We're all just really close to her. When she's hurt, we hurt. They were...damn... They were just forcing their anger about Mr. Lor--ah--the attacker on you."

"Wait a minute. You were going to say Mr. Lord. You know that he did this to her, didn't you?" Melicia whispered, standing up from Howie's lap and walking over to Kieran.

"It was hard not to notice, but you can't blame a man that size for...for all her bumps and bruises and breaks. She just covered at first, saying she fell or tripped... We believed her and all, because it was our happy-go-lucky Ana... But they started getting worse... I fit the pieces together when she broke her left femur... But they were the perfect family. Perfect daughter, perfect mother, perfect dad."

"Nothing can be perfect. That's when you know something is wrong... and we didn't say anything..."

"The other guys know it, too, but they don't want to face it... You just don't understand that you can't go up against Mr. Lord. So, we did the second best thing, we let her run to us whenever she needed. She came to me with her first set of back injuries, she went to Pierce about her broken arm, Amos for her second back injuries... Dominic was there for the first broken femur... She never told us what happened, but we took care of her regardless. That's why we were always over there so much, to protect her."

"Mr. Lord shouldn't have that kind of power. Someone needs to stop him."

"You obviously knew, too, why didn't you say anything?" Kieran countered.

"Because I was afraid that Ana would hate me if I said anything and ended up being wrong."

"Yeah," Kieran trailed, groaning softly. "I really got to get back to the group... To say the least, Ana is completely fucked up... She coded a couple times or at least that's what the doctor said. Ana understood the doctor jargon better than us... Pierce is about to lose it... I'm sorry for bothering you. I just figured I had to come in and explain for the rest of the group."

"What's wrong with her?" Howie countered quietly.

"Um... the doctor was spouting a ton of stuff at us. All I can really tell you is that her right femur broke, her cast was cracked in half and the bone shattered, um...there were handprints on her throat so he ch--choked her. Then more lashes on her back..." Kieran stated, tears forming yet again in his blurry eyes.

"Damnit," AJ murmured with regret.

"I've got to get back... We're planning on doing shifts and stuff to make sure one of us is with her at all times. Pierce might be there all the time and might not. But if you guys stop by when I'm around, I'll let you see her at least. I'll try to talk to the other guys..." Kieran offered.

"Thank you, Kieran," Melicia replied softly, reaching out to give him a hug. "I'm really sorry this happened..."

"Yeah, me, too." AJ and Howie gave their condolences as Kieran left the room, head hanging down.

"Uncle Howie, you can't make it better, can you?" Melicia murmured in defeat, sitting down on her hospital bed. She wiped away her tears, thinking about Ana lying in a hospital bed, tubes attached every which way.

"No, Mella, I can't. It's in God's hands now..." Howie trailed off, resting his head in his hands as tears streamed down his cheeks.

"Are you mad at me?" Melicia whispered.

"No... blame could be set on one person, but it wouldn't be right. All of us could have done something, but we didn't."

"But you love--"

"I love her, yes. But I can't be mad at you for not saying anything, because I had my own suspicions."

"You did?"

"Yeah. I did."

"Are...are you going to visit her?"

"When Kieran is down there, of course."

"I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner, Uncle Howie."

"I'm sorry too, Mella."

"Can't you kill her Dad?"

"If I knew where he was, I would go there right now and kill him. I promise you that."

"What are we going to do?" Melicia whispered painfully as AJ sat down behind her. He carefully wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing the back of her neck. She watched her uncle's eyes spark with lonliness as he watched the pair.

"All we can do right now is pray for Ana to survive."

"What if she doesn't?"

"We can't think like that, Syrup," AJ whispered, resting his chin on her right shoulder.

"She's gonna be pissed when she wakes up and finds out that she won't be able to surf till her leg heals..."

"That girl will find some way to get into the water, cast or no cast."

Melicia had to laugh at the idea of Ana struggling to mount her board with a huge leg cast incircling her leg from her toes to her hip. She glanced to her uncle, seeing tears still falling from his eyes. "When she wakes up, will you make her live with us, Uncle Howie?"

"I'm going to try my best, Mella. Once her dad comes back from Europe, I'm calling child services on him."

"Will they do anything even if Ana doesn't admit to it?"

"They'll have to once they see how many times she's been in the hospital and after talking to all of us."

"She told me she loved you, Uncle Howie..."

Howie looked up at Melicia in surprise. "Did she?"

"Yes, why are you so surprised?"

"Because the way she looked at me yesterday when you were in surgery... I thought maybe she didn't..."

"She loves you more than you realize."

"Ana's going to pull through this... she has to."

"She has to?" AJ repeated in surprise.

"You heard me."

"Why does she have to?" AJ countered.

"Because she does. That's all I'm saying and don't push me right now, J."

"I'm just asking, jezz!"

"Boys, stop arguing!" Melicia interrupted.

"Why can't I be curious at his demand?" AJ complained.

"Because you know he won't tell you until he's ready, Pancake. Now just leave him be, okay?" Melicia replied, tilting her head back to kiss him under the chin.

"But it has to be a juicy secret!"

Melicia groaned. "If you don't stop whining, you don't get the cookie!"

"D, please?!" AJ whined loudly.

"That's it! Nothing for you!" Melicia huffed, pulling herself out of AJ's arms.

"Babe!" AJ protested.

"Leave my uncle alone, Alex. Please?"

"Fine," he sulked.

"Oh, come here. You big baby," Melicia laughed at the look on AJ's face.

Howie watched them embrace yet again and another pain hit his heart. He stood up, unable to battle the sob growing in his throat any longer. He didn't know which was worst emotion - the fear, the regret, or the anger. He took a deep breath, noticing the puzzled looks on his niece and best friend's faces. "I...uh... Why don't you get Melicia's things gathered? I'd like to go down and at least talk to the boys."

"Are you sure you don't need me to come with you?"

"Melicia, you're the niece and I'm the uncle," Howie chided playfully, trying to hide his tears.

"I know, but--"

"Just get your stuff gathered. You don't want to be stuck in this hospital any longer than you need to."

Melicia sighed, biting her lip. "Alright. Good luck with the guys."

"They're younger than me. I can take them."

"Don't beat them up, Uncle Howie," she groaned. "Ana will kick your ass if you do."

"I could take her, too," he joked as he wiped away the tears that had fallen. Melicia stood up and walked over to her uncle, giving him a tight hug with her good arm.

"She's going to be okay, Melicia. She has to be okay. She's going to look at me, tell me to save her, and I'll sweep her into my arms, and she'll be okay," Howie murmured, hugging his niece gently, knowing he had said those words to comfort himself more than Melicia.
Chapter 29 by Starry Eyes
Howie took a deep breath as he located Ana's private ICU room. He had expected at least two of the boys to be guarding the outside, but they were all inside huddled around Ana's bed. He stepped in quietly, shocked to see Ana's lithe form in such a state of distress. Her face was an array of colored bruises as her right cheek was swollen. Her right leg was pulled into tight traction that connected through a series of weights hanging around her bed to keep her thigh bone from damaging her muscles and nerves till it could be properly alligned. The tube inserted in her bruised throat to keep a steady supply of oxygen to her lungs almost scared Howie. Series of tubes connected all throughout her body, draining and adding fluids. She looked absolutely miserable. Howie didn't realize he had made any noise till Pierce jumped up in shock. The boy paled when he saw Howie, immediately cursing, "Damn, Mr. Dorough, Ana would kill me if you saw her like this!"

"I had to see her, Pierce. If she finds out, I'll take the blame, okay?" Howie replied as he walked over to the bed.

"Oh, I'm going to get my ass kicked by a chick on crutches," Pierce moaned as Howie took his seat.

"If anything, we both will get your asses kicked. Because she would tell me herself not to come in here."

"Melicia...told you about the attacker?"

"You mean her dad?" Howie blurted. "Yeah, she did."

"Her dad didn't---" Pierce recieved a sharp glare from Kieran. "He's a fucking bastard..."

"Don't worry, he'll get what's coming to him," Howie replied as he placed his hand on top of Ana's. "No one should do this to their child..."

"We should have stepped in a lot sooner," Dominic whispered with regret.

"There's nothing we can do about that now, Dominic. Right now we need to pray for Ana to pull through this."

"Do... Do you want a few minutes?" Amos offered.

"I would really appreciate it if I could," Howie agreed, giving the boys a small smile.

"No problem," Pierce stated, ushering the boys out of the room. He prepared to leave, but hesitated when he grabbed the doorknob. On instinct, he turned to Howie. "The night of the concert...she was asking me what to do about the relationship she had with you, Mr. Dorough."

Howie looked up at Pierce with question. "And what did you tell her to do?"

"I asked her what she felt when she was with you. She said she felt love. So, I told her that she deserved it with all her heart and needed to keep going. I've done everything I could for that girl and more, but you have that gift that makes her feel like what we see when we look at her - a goddess. She needs you more than she needs any of us, that's for sure, because you can keep her safe, because she loves you."

Howie's heart lifted as he heard those words that came from Ana. "Th-thank you, Pierce."

"No problem, we're going to wait outside... Just grab us when you're done," Pierce consented, slipping out of the room.

Howie turned back to Ana, tears in his eyes. "Hey, Babe... it's me. I know you didn't want me to see you like this, but... well, you know me," he just wanted her to sit up and kiss his face repeatedly, telling him everything was going to be okay. All he got in response were the monitors beeping and hissing. "I'm so sorry I didn't do anything to protect you... I had my suspicions about your dad and I didn't say anything. If I could go back in time I wouldn't have let you leave the hospital. I would have protected you, Baby. God, I love you so much. Just pull through this. Please. I was going to ask you to marry me someday..."

Howie could only recall all the warning flags that had flashed when Ana had been around. The bitter words when talking about her father, the inconsistencies with her stories, the need to be home precisely before her father arrived, the day Pierce said that Ana never wiped out on a surfboard, the demand to wear skirts when her father was around, the bruises, the flinching when Howie tried to touch her, and their conversations they had before drifting to sleep. He should have known better. He should have questioned, yet he did nothing. "Sweetie, if you wake up, I promise that I'll make you move in with me. I'll worship the ground you walk on. I'll even move into the Dorms of Duke if I have to... Just don't leave me or Melicia, okay? Both of us have gotten so far with you by our sides. You helped us with losing Sarah... I'm going to kill your father, I promise you that much... I love you - how many times can I say I love you?"

He was about to speak again when there was a knocking at the door. "Uncle Howie?" it was Melicia.

"Mella?" he questioned, glancing up in surprise.

She came into the room, her cheeks blushing a little. "Yeah. I just got done talking with the guys-- they're not mad at me anymore and said I should come in and see Ana before heading home."

"They're good guys," Howie confirmed, absentmindedly running his fingers against Ana's IV'ed hand.

Melicia nodded as she walked over to her uncle and placed her hand on his shoulder. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she looked at her friend lying on the bed. It scared her at how pale Ana was. "Are you sure a kiss won't wake her up, Uncle Howie?"

"This isn't Sleeping Beauty, Sweetheart."

"A girl can wish," she whispered.

"She might not even want a kiss and I'd rather not have her wake up and slam a fist in my jaw. One bruise suites me fine," Howie joked softly, feeling his throat constrict.

"You know she wouldn't punch you. That's my job," Melicia laughed a little. "That girl loves you a lot, Uncle Howie."

"I hope she does."

"Trust me, she does," Melicia carefully bent down and kissed Howie's cheek. She walked closer to Ana and kissed the younger girl's forehead. "You're going to be okay, Ana Banana. I know you will."

Howie watched the pain flood across Melicia's face when she realized that Ana wasn't going to comment about another affectionate kiss. It would be hard on Melicia until Ana woke up. Howie reminded himself to ask Pierce about Ana's overall condition before he left. No one had said anything about a coma, just that she was sleeping because of the medication. He listened to Melicia speak softly, "I should have told Uncle Howie what you said as soon as I woke up from my surgery. I shouldn't have let it last this long, Ana Banana. Uncle Howie would rushed right over to your house like Prince Charming. I know he would have. And I know you said that you wanted to just be friends with me, but you deserve Uncle Howie."

Melicia kissed her forehead again before standing up and going back to her uncle. He stood up and brought her into his arms. "Are you going to be here with Ana for awhile?" she asked.

"I was planning on taking you home and getting you settled," Howie hesitated.

"Alex can bring me home, Uncle Howie. I think it would be good for Ana to know you're here for her."

"She has the boys though, I mean, you're my niece---"

"And I'm fine. For once, you're going to take the role of the niece. Please stay here with her. You and the boys will be good to be here for her, since I have to go home and rest."

"You don't mind?"

"Of couse not. I know how much you love her, and she loves you. Just be here for her."

"But Melicia---"

"I don't want to argue with you about this, Uncle Howie. I'll have Kieran and Amos tie you to the chair if I need to."

"Do you think Ana will wake up if I'm here?"

"I really think she will."

"I told her she's going to live with us when she wakes up."

"And she will. She won't have to live in fear anymore," Melicia whispered.

"Do you want to fix the guest room up for her?"

"Could I? I was thinking Brian, Kevin and Nick could help me and AJ decorate it and everything."

"Yeah, I want you to take at least the week off of school. That can be your project if you like. I think Ana would love if you did that for her."

"Whatever I want to do for it?" she asked excitedly.

"Go wild," Howie chuckled.

Melicia squealed, giving him another hug. "Ana, you're going to love your new room! I promise!"

"Just...uh...no pink, right?"

Melicia crinkled her nose. "Ew, no pink. Even I can't stand that color."

"Good, because I don't want to get hit with crutches."

"You and me both. I had a beating that will last me a lifetime," Melicia lightly joked about her mugging.

"Melicia," Howie groaned. "That's not funny."

"Sorry, sorry." she shrugged with an impish grin on her face.

"Why don't you get going? AJ's probably going nuts because you're not with him," Howie suggested softly, kissing Melicia's forehead.

"You're right... man, if that boy doesn't get the cookie, he goes crazy--"

"I don't want to hear that!"

Melicia just smiled and kissed his cheek. "I'm just teasing!"

"Get going before I tease you upside the head."

"I'm going, I'm going! Bye, Banana! Love you! Love you too, Uncle Howie."

"Bye, Mella," Howie called softly, watching his niece disappear. He sat down again at Ana's side, taking her hand into both of his again.

"I hope you heard everything, Ana. Because we both meant it with all of our hearts," he whispered.

*~*~*

Melicia was utterly surprised when the maid let her and AJ right into the house after they returned from the hospital. The woman said nothing as she opened the door and went back to her work quickly. Melicia peered into the living room with curiousity, finding her heart drop at the sight. Blood was splattered everywhere and the most incriminating piece of evidence, an iron poker, drenched in a pool of blood. She felt sick as she watched the maid bend over the puddle, scrubbing furiously to rid the evidence. "He used a fire poker that son of a bitch," AJ murmured in shock.

"She should be calling the police, not trying to get rid of what he did!" Melicia whispered, her stomach getting quesy at the site of Ana's blood all over the floor. She could just imagine Ana's father hitting her leg over and over with the poker until it finally shattered.

They watched another maid come down the stairs, picking up the bloody belt, and returning back up the stairs. AJ shook his head in disappointment as he pulled Melicia close to his side. "He pays their salary, Melicia."

"They don't even care what he does to her... God, did ANYONE in this house care about her?" Melicia asked as they walked around the place where the maid was cleaning and headed up to Ana's room.

"Her mother cared about her," AJ stated softly as they opened the creamy white door leading to Ana's room. Surprisingly, the room was spotless. The deep colors of purples and blues splashed around the room, suiting Ana's personality perfectly. She had her rows of medical books on a large bookcase beside her desk. Pictures of her mother, the boys, and her with her mother and the boys were plastered around the room in a sense of comfort. No posters hung on the wall and even her large stereo system was placed away behind a mohagany cabinet. Besides the colors, it seemed as if Ana was a prisoner in her own lucious bedroom.

"This almost looks like a hotel room instead of a teenager's room..." Melicia trailed off, walking over to a picture of Ana and her mother. It amazed her how much they looked alike. Ana seemed so happy then. "The only thing that could keep me sane in this room are the colors."

"Yeah, I'll give you that... She has to be hiding stuff around her room though. Do you remember if she told you anything about where she keeps her favorite things?" AJ asked, watching Melicia pick up another frame.

She bit her lip, trying to remember if Ana had said anything. "Um... she told me she always hid her surfboard under the bed. That might be where everything else is."

"Okay," AJ replied, looking under the large bed. He smiled faintly as he carefully pull Ana's surfboard out from beneath the bed. It looked as if she had treated it once more before storing it back in its hiding place. He walked over and leaned it against the wall. "There's nothing else under there though."

"Damn. Where does that girl put all her things?" Melicia muttered aloud as she walked to the closet. She opened it up and saw nothing but skirts and dressy shirts. "It's going to be a mystery, because these aren't the clothes I've seen her wear in school."

"I'll give her one thing - she was damn good at hiding," AJ side, sitting down on the large cedar chest that sat at the end of Ana's bed.

Melicia turned from the closet and saw what AJ was sitting on. "And we suck at figuring it out! Get off the chest, you dork. That's where her stuff is!"

"What?"

She went over to AJ and started tickling his sides. "Get off the chest, Alex!"

"HEY! I BET THE STUFF IS INSIDE THE CHEST!" AJ burst, jumping off the large chest.

Melicia smacked her forehead with her right hand, rolling her eyes at her boyfriend. "GEE! Why didn't I think of that?!"

"I don't know, she's your best friend."

"Don't take all the credit for figuring it out, McLean," she replied as she opened up the chest. Inside were Ana's clothes, CD's, horror novels, keepsakes and a shoebox.

"What's in the shoebox?" he asked curiously, leaning over her to peer inside.

"I think... I think it's her mom's things," Melicia whispered as she lifted off the lid. Everything that Ana had salvaged from what her father threw away was in the box. Jewelry, pictures, little china figurines... it was like her mother was safely held inside.

"Check this out, Babe," AJ whispered, pulling out a piece of paper. Melicia smiled softly as they gazed at the first drawing of the center fairy on Ana's surfboard. Over the side of the beautiful drawing, her mother's handwriting: Little Ana's Moonlight - Tina Marie

"That picture is so beautiful. No wonder Ana is so protective of her surfboard..." Melicia replied, thinking about things her own mom had made that she kept hidden in her room for safekeeping that Howie didn't know about.

"We should frame it for her," AJ offered.

"Let's do that tomorrow. We'll get a pretty silver frame for it and everything," Melicia smiled as he placed the picture back inside the box. She put the top back on. "But we should get going. Who knows if the bastard decides to come back early again like before. Besides, I wanna get started to decorating Ana's new room. I've got an idea now that we've seen this one."

"Do you want to leave this stuff here and just have Kevin come back and grab it?" AJ asked, knowing there was no way in Hell that he could lift the heavy cedar chest without developing a hernia.

"Yeah, except for the shoebox. That's coming with us."

"The surfboard, too?"

"Surfboard, too," she agreed, kissing him before he grabbed the surfboard and they both headed downstairs.

"Wait, what are you doing?" one of the maids raved, finally glancing up from the deep blood stain.

"We're bringing these over to my house for safekeeping. Miss Ana asked me to before she got hurt," Melicia replied.

"Oh...it's a shame that an attacker broke in... Poor child," the maid murmured.

"Can I ask you something, ma'am?" Melicia asked.

"Go ahead," the maid sighed, going back to scrubbing.

"You never saw Mr. Lord hurt his daughter, did you?"

"You're stepping on very dangerous territory, Miss Dorough," the maid whispered when the other maid shot her a dirty glare.

"Yeah, well so is Ana's father when he decides to abuse his child to the point where she is almost DEAD. How can you just let all this happen right in front of you--"

"I didn't say that I saw---"

"Look at what you're cleaning up! That's Ana's BLOOD! I've seen you clean up after everything he has done to her and that's even worse than actually seeing it!"

"It wasn't him," the other maid stressed.

"Stop defending him! Is money really more important than the life of a child? Are you both that superficial?"

"We didn't see anything, Miss Dorough. And you're wise not to bring these types of accusations against Mr. Lord. He's a very fair man."

"Yeah, a fair man as long as you get your paychecks," Melicia snapped. The maids said nothing as they went back to cleaning. She looked up at AJ. "They aren't ever going to admit he hurts her, will they?"

"I don't think so, Baby. Let's just get you back to your house. You need to rest."

She sighed heavily as they left the house and headed across the street to her own. "I just can't believe they denied it all while cleaning up her blood!"

"I think the worst part is that even if the police would become involved - they won't see the initial crime scene. Pierce and Dominic took Ana straight to the hospital, they didn't call an ambulance or the police. It's well hidden."

"It's just not right, Alex. Parents who do this shouldn't get away with it," Melicia stressed as they walked inside the Dorough house. She carefully set down the shoebox on the coffee table and automatically laid down on the couch. Her shoulder and ribs were starting to ache.

"Do you want me to get your medicine?" AJ volunteered as he gently hoisted pillows beneath her for support.

"Please? The morphine is wearing off now and it's beginning to hurt."

"Hold on, Sweetheart," he stated, walking into the kitchen. Melicia closed her eyes for a moment, trying to think of what she could do to help Ana when AJ came back with her medication and a glass of water.

"Here you go, Baby," AJ murmured.

"Thank you, Alex," she sat up and swallowed the pills. She laid back down and closed her eyes. "I'll be ready to start on Ana's room in a little bit. It doesn't take long for the medicine to kick in."

"I think you should rest for the day. We can start tomorrow," AJ decided, allowing Melicia to rest her legs on his lap. He rubbed her legs gently.

"I can rest any time this week when I need to. I'll be fine once the pain goes away. I really want to get started on Ana's room, Alex."

"And I'd like you to rest."

Melicia sighed, feeling her tense body relax as the pills started to work. "Can we at least go to the hardware store later and pick up some things?"

"As long as you rest."

"You keep massaging my legs... and whatever else you want and I will definitely rest."

"Don't tempt me," he laughed, kneading her tired muscles.

"Well, we are alone, you know," Melicia giggled.

"Yeah, I know," he chided.

"I love you, Alex."

"I love you, too, Baby."

"Will you lay with me while I take a nap?"

"Like you have to ask."

Melicia smiled as she felt AJ's hands leave her legs. She opened her eyes and scooted over to make room for AJ as he laid down next to her. "Now I really feel relaxed."

"Good, because you need the sleep, Baby," AJ cooed, kissing her neck as her eyes fluttered closed. He smiled as her breathing steadied, showing that she was asleep. He leaned his head in the crook of her right shoulder, falling asleep himself.
Chapter 30 by Starry Eyes
"Hey, Lovebirds, wake up," Kevin called softly as he leaned over the slumbering couple. It was around six in the evening and Howie had yet to come back from the hospital. He had called Kevin, Brian, and Nick asking them to go at least check to make sure Melicia was okay and didn't need him home yet. Nothing much had happened with Ana, because the doctors were keeping her in a drug-induced-coma, waiting for her vitals to stabilize.

"No wakey, Daddy. Mella wants to sleep," Melicia moaned softly as she buried her head in AJ's shoulder.

"Damn, who's going to finish this pizza?" Nick moaned loudly, knowing it would rouse AJ.

"Someone say pizza?" AJ asked, opening his eyes.

"Yeah, but you need to order it," Kevin laughed as Melicia stirred beside AJ, slowly peeking her eyes open. Kevin smiled, bending down to kiss her forehead. "Your uncle called us, Sweetheart."

"He's still not home yet?" she asked, rubbing her eyes.

"No, he wanted to stay with Ana a little while longer. He said that her vital signs were finally starting to stabilize and the doctors were thinking about lessening the drugs to see if she wakes up... But, he said that he'll come home right away if you need him. He wanted us to come over and see how you two were doing and all," Kevin explained softly.

"No, I want him to stay with her," Melicia replied as AJ sat up and helped her. The pain in her ribs and shoulder were gone for the moment. "And I want him to be surprised when he sees how I'm decorating Ana's new room."

"Ana's new room?" Nick asked in surprise.

"Didn't Uncle Howie tell you? Once Ana gets out of the hospital, we're having her live with us."

"What about her dad? I mean, he'll want her with him, right?" Brian countered, not really understanding the entire story. Howie had just mentioned that Ana was hurt and in the hospital. He hadn't went into specific details.

"They don't know... do they, Alex?" Melicia whispered.

"Howie didn't tell you why Ana's in the hospital?" AJ asked, kissing Melicia's temple.

"Just that she was hurt... why, do you two know what really happened?" Kevin asked as they all sat down in chairs and couches.

"Yeah, we know..." Melicia faltered.

"Tell us, Mella. Please."

"Ana's father...hurts her... Not just like grounding her or anything. He beats her and that's what he did the other day. We went into her house and there was blood everywhere..." Melicia whispered sadly.

"You mean all the stories we heard... falling down the stairs, taking a bad spill surfing... it was all lies to cover up for her father?" Brian asked quietly. The thought of a parent hurting a child to the brink of death shocked him.

"She wasn't the only one that covered it up... Her guys knew... The maids knew... Everyone seemed to know, but didn't do a damn thing... She told me when she rescused me that night, but I didn't say anything... I knew from before, but I was afraid..."

"Most people don't say anything in these situations because they think if they just think it's not happening, that it'll go away," Kevin replied quietly.

"Well, it didn't go away. He used a fucking fire poker on her," AJ blurted with disgust.

Melicia winced at the tone of AJ's voice, tears in her eyes. "That's why she's going to live with us."

"Do you think her dad's going to let her..." Nick's voice trailed.

"Uncle Howie won't give him a choice," Melicia declared protectively.

"Are you sure he won't try to do to Howie what he did to Ana?"

"Uncle Howie can defend himself better than Ana could."

Kevin finally spoke again. "I know you think Howie is indestructable, Mella. But from what AJ told me, Ana's father could even give ME a smackdown--"

"Then we'll call the police. He's not getting Ana back. No way."

"I don't think you can change her mind, Kev. The girl is stubborn like her mom," Brian teased lightly as he ruffled Melicia's locks.

"I'm just saying that he might not be the kind of guy to dick around with," Kevin decided.

"Don't use that saying," Melicia suddenly snapped, shaking a little. That was the same thing her mugger said before shooting her.

"What saying?"

"Dick around with... that's what he told me before... before he shot me," she replied, looking down at the sling.

"I'm sorry," Kevin recalled.

"No, it's alright. I shouldn't have snapped at you," she looked up, mustering a smile.

"You didn't snap..."

"Well, do you want to head to the store, Baby? I promised you we could after you took a nap," AJ changed the subject.

"We can go?" she asked excitedly, changing her mood as if she were changing a radio station

"Well, of course we can," AJ chuckled, kissing her softly. It kind of worried him how quickly her moods changed, but he just dismissed it as being under too much stress.

"Alright, c'mon guys! We're going interior decorating shopping!"

"WE? What do you mean WE?" Nick asked, raising his eyebrows. "I didn't agree with that!"

"Well, you can either go to Home Depot, or lug Ana's cedar chest over from her house," AJ offered.

"Shopping with Mella and AJ, or doing manual labor? I'd rather go shopping!"

"Could you go get the chest then, Kev?" AJ asked.

"Yeah, sure. I'll even get the food and everything for when y'all come back, " Kevin replied as everyone stood up to leave.

"Thanks," AJ called happily, leaning over to kiss Kevin playfully.

"Ew!" Kevin stumbled backwards and fell onto the chair.

"That's our cue to leave," Brian whimpered, running out the door, knowing Kevin's wrath all too well.

"MCLEAN!" Kevin yelled, scrambling out of the chair.

"Yikes!" Nick yelped as he followed Brian to AJ's car.

"Baby, get going!" Melicia ordered, pushing him out the door and closing it behind her.

*~*~*

Ana muffled some kind of noise as her eyes slowly fluttered open. Her throat ached with rawness and pain as she struggled to lift her tubed left arm to rub the grainy feeling of her eyes away. The sleepiness seemed to slowly drain away from her body as she tried to move her jaw to speak, only to find an uncomfortable tube inserted into her throat. She quickly glanced to see various tubes flowing into her body. There was an intense pull on her throbbing right leg. Her back lit with fire. Everything seemed to hurt at once. She struggled to orient herself, finally realizing that her father had tried to choke the life from her.

"Ana? Baby, you're awake!" a voice exclaimed in surprise from the right of her.

Ana narrowed her eyes, glancing over to see Howie sitting by her side. She groaned openly, knowing she looked terrible, but it only came out as a gurgle. Suddenly her closet guy friends came running back. Immediately, each boy leaned over to give her kisses on her tender cheeks, welcoming her back into the conscious world. Ana's eyes fluttered as she struggled to move - the pain almost unbearable.

"Just stay still, okay? Wait until the doctor gets here," Howie soothed, kissing her forehead as Kieran ran to get her doctor.

Ana didn't want to stay still, because images of her father's terror flashed against her mind. She muffled some kind of sob from beneath the tube, remembering the iron poker slam repeatedly into her tender leg. She wanted to get away and get the tube out. She glanced around the room quickly, searching for her father. Usually, when the damage inflicted had been quite severe, he would be sitting by her side playing good father till the doctor left.

"Shh, it's okay, Ana. He's not here in the hospital. He's not even in this COUNTRY," Howie replied quietly, knowing what she was thinking. "And I'm so sorry I let him hurt you like this."

Ana tried to shake her head 'no,' instantly defending her father. Her life would be ruined if anyone voiced their concern about her father. There would be no living with him. She would be six feet under within a week.

"Don't defend him, Ana. It's time you stop doing that, because he can't hurt you anymore."

She raised her aching hand up to place across his mouth, silencing him. She didn't want to hear it. Her muscles began to contract as her eyes pleaded with him to stay quiet. Tears of agony slipping down her pale face as her body tensed beneath each bite of torture. Howie stayed quiet, reaching over to wipe away her tears. It hurt him to see her in such pain and he would have gladly traded places so she wouldn't have to suffer.

She tried to block his hand, hating the way he was looking at her. She didn't want him to see her like this. It was bad enough that Pierce, Dominic, Amos, Riley, and Kieran had to see her like this, but she loved Howie with a deep passion. She didn't want him seeing her in such a state of distress. She just wanted to die. She suddenly began to wish that her father had succceded.

"Don't push me away, Ana. Please don't," Howie whispered. She closed her eyes, just wanting to disappear.

Howie was about to speak again when Ana's doctor came into the room. "Welcome back, Anastacia."

Ana instantly motioned toward her throat and then to the IV bag that held a large supply of morphine. The monitor recorder her blood pressure, pulse, and respirations showed a high increase - depicticing Ana's copious amounts of pain coursing through her body.

The doctor smiled softly, immediately motioning for the nurse that had followed to retrieve an injection of morphine. She then took to careful means to remove the tube. The boys turned away from the sight when they heard Ana gasping and gagging through the removal. Once out, the doctor quickly applied an nose canula for Ana to recieve oxygen. "Your trachea was damaged from the attack and we'll have to watch your breathing for awhile to make sure you don't go into respiratory distress. We'll get your pain under control... Not to mention we have to schedule your surgery to repair your shattered femur and your shattered radius. I was afraid to admit you into surgery with the way you came in."

"Can I just l-l-leave?" Ana choked, her throat constricting with pain.

"No, you cannot, Anastacia. With the way your bones are broken, surgery is the only way to heal them."

"But my dad's going to--"

"Be in Europe for several weeks. Your friend Pierce gave me a note your father had written."

"He wrote a note?" she wheezed. "What did he say happened?"

"He said he was out of town and an attacker broke into the house. Pierce had called him when he was in the air and he faxed a note over. Is that correct?" the doctor countered, glancing at her notes.

"I guess so," Ana murmured.

"Is there something else you need to add?"

"Well, since you're awake and stabilized, I'm thinking 6 am tomorrow."

"Good thing I don't have to be awake for it..." she trailed, her voice cracking as the nurse injected a dose of morphine into her IV port.

The doctor chuckled softly, patting Ana's hand. "You're going to be just fine, Anastacia."

Howie and the boys thanked the woman as she left the room.

"We're going to leave you with Howie for a few minutes, because we figure you need something to entertain you, before we get on the spot. And can I tell you one thing Ana? The next time I have my lips against your lips, I don't want it to be for CPR and I'd actually like you to remember it, okay?" Pierce chided lightly, leaning over to kiss her cheek again.

"CPR?" Ana questioned, figuring her windpipe had almost been completely crushed.

"Yeah... you weren't breathing when I found you."

Maybe you should have left it like that. Ana thought bitterly as she forced a small smile. "Thank you, Pier."

"We're going to grab something to eat and we'll be back," Dominic promised as each boy delivered another kiss before leaving.

"How's Melicia?" Ana decided to ask as she eased her back against the air mattress, wincing openly as she felt blood ooze against the thick guaze pads that adhered to her belt wounds. Her tears still trailing down her cheeks as her whole body throbbed. She was afraid to speak to Howie about what really happened and about where their relationship was supposed to be.

"She's alright, thanks to you," Howie replied, hating to see her in pain. "The doctor told us what you did for her--"

"I didn't do anything but get her to the hospital," Ana countered quickly, her voice cracking from the pain of the bruises around her throat.

"You did more than that, Ana. One, you found her. Two, you stopped her wound from bleeding too badly. Three, you kept her awake so she didn't go into total shock."

"Anybody would have done that," Ana replied, not wanting the title of a hero for something she caused.

"Most people would just turn away, you know that... and if someone did stop, they probably wouldn't know what to do like you did."

"Did she get discharged?" Ana asked, wanting to change the subject.

"Yeah, this morning."

"No permanent injuries?"

"No, they say her shoulder will be able to have full use after physical therapy."

"Good, at least one of us has a chance..."

"What do you mean by that?"

"My other femur was broken skateboarding, it takes awhile to get full use back, and it sucks ass that my right one's shattered, too. Not to mention the fact when I go home, he'll be waiting---it'll just be rough..."

"Well, that's why Mella and I had an idea... I'm really hoping you'll go for it, because if not, she's going to be redecorating for nothing right now."

"What are you talking about?" Ana asked with confusion, fumbling to slowly raise the head of her bed. She yelped quietly at the initial jolt, but found her breathing easier once she was sitting somewhat upright

"Both of us were wondering if you would come and stay at our house so he can't hur-- I mean, until your bones heal up. Because your father won't be home for awhile, and we thought you would like to stay with us."

"You want me at your house?" she questioned, gently rubbing the bruises on her throat. She had assumed that since Melicia had found them, that any chance of a relationship with him had been shattered. Yet, there he sat, inviting her into his home, but she quickly reminded herself that Melicia might have been the one to decide.

"Yeah, of course. I would rather have you safe at my house with the injuries you have instead of alone at home."

"He'll be home soon," she whispered.

"That's the main reason why I want you at my house. I can protect you, Ana."

"Protect me?" she stated with somewhat of a bitter laugh.

"What, you don't think I can?"

The questions seemed to line together in her mind. More tears started to trickle down her pale cheeks as she reached to take a long sip of water, trying to kill the pain in her throat. She could only remember her father's mean words as he slowly choked the life from her body, and then Melicia's words in the Hummer. "You know, don't you?" she asked softly, finally biting down her nerves to glance into his soft brown eyes.

Howie nodded, taking her hand into his. "Yeah, I do... I've had suspicions for a long time, but I thought that maybe I was wrong, that maybe I was just imagining it all..."

"Melicia told you?"

"Yeah, after you came into the hospital."

"It's not a big deal..."

"Not a big deal? Ana, your father almost KILLED you."

"I was acting stupid, you know? I came in with my tank top ripped... I talked back and he told me to be quiet... I did a lot of things to make him mad. I should have known better. I did know better," she answered, her voice cracking under the pressure. She hated her father with a deep passion, recalling as the iron slammed several times into her tender leg, then the belt lashing, then the fists, and then his hands.

"Don't you dare blame yourself. Just because of all that, it gives your father the right to beat you within an inch of your life? You know that he's in the wrong, don't you?"

"He's always done it. I should have known."

"But it's not your fault!"

"Howie, please, don't."

"Then don't blame yourself!"

Ana took a deep breath, wheezing as the air entered her tired lungs. She didn't want to fight, because it wouldn't solve anything. Her father would come back and everything would be back to normal. He would force her home, take away her pride, strip her of dignity, and maybe finally kill her. She could only hope that she would move to Duke before he really snapped. She didn't want to talk about it and, on some level, she feared moving in with Howie. She didn't know what their relationship consisted of any more. She just wanted to heal and get back to her life. "Shouldn't...you be with Melicia?" Ana finally asked after several minutes of silence.

"She and the fellas are out shopping right now. The girl was really excited about the concept of you living with us while you healed. Mel's the one who told me to stay here and make sure you were alright-- even though I was thinking about doing so anyways."

"I'm fine, you can go with her now."

"Ana, why are you pushing me away?"

"Because I don't know where we are."

"That's why you talk about it, not ignore it or push me away. That doesn't solve anything."

"Why talk about it? It's a open and shut case, Howie. Melicia freaked and I'd like to stay friends with her. I can't very well be her friend and your lover at the same time. She'll flip. She's right anyway, I'm younger than her...you're older than AJ..."

"Have you even talked to Melicia and find out how she would feel about us? Because when I talked to her, she wanted to make sure we WOULD be together in the end. Ana, I... I really thought you cared about me and about our relationship. If so, age shouldn't matter and you would want to try to work all this out."

"I do care about you and the relationship..."

"Then why don't you want to try and work on it?" Howie asked, a painful look on his face. It hurt to see Ana not be eager to rekindle what they had.

"Because everything gets broken in the end. My Dad will just rip it apart... He's the one that got me into Duke anyway... He'll take that away..."

"He told you HE got you into Duke? Ana, you and your grades got you into that school, no matter what your father said!"

"Howie, it just hurts so bad right now. I don't want to talk about it. I just want to get through my surgery, get back home, and stay out of his way," Ana whispered, heavier tears falling. She didn't want to talk about it. She wanted to repress it.

Howie sighed heavily, reaching over to wipe away her tears. "I'm sorry, Ana..." he closed his eyes and began to sing softly.

When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
When you screamed I'd fight away all of your fears
And I held your hand through all of these years
But you still have all of me

"Howie, you... I'm so sorry," she whispered painfully when he finished, feeling his hand rest gently against her bruised cheek. He had a way of making her feel safe and comfortable. She loved him, but everything shattered in her hands.

"Just let this work out, Baby... please. I don't care what I have to do, I'm going to fight for you."

"He's going to come back, Howie..."

"We'll call the police, Sweetie."

"We can't do that... They won't believe me."

"Once they see what happened, the recurring hospital visits and everyone's testimony... they'll make sure your father will never hurt you again."

"Nobody's seen what happened..."

"No, but they all know what's been going on."

"Who knows?" Ana groaned.

"Do you really need me to name them all?" Howie asked, with a nervous smile. "I'm sure you know who."

"I know my boys know...but yours? Do they know? Because I don't want the pity. I don't need the pity."

"I think they do by now. The only one who will act stupid and slip up is Nick. I know you don't need pity, I can see that."

"I'm just so tired."

"Do you want me to leave so you can rest?"

"I'm physically tired, but I'm also tired of everything. I'm tired of fighting for everything. I just want to fall asleep forever, you know? Just slip away where there's no pain, no coldness, no abandonment, and no fear," Ana explained softly, staring at her hand that was also cast in tight traction.

"I've felt that way before, Ana. Everyone has. And I don't mean to sound like a parent or anything... but it's life. We take it as it goes and deal with it the best way we can. Wishing to sleep forever won't help."

"I've taken more than the average person, Howie."

"And that's what makes you stronger in the end."

"I guess," she stated dejectedly.

Howie sighed again, stroking her cheek softly. "Just know that I love you, I will always be there for you and will never let you get hurt."

"I love you, too..."

He leaned in and kissed her softly. "Will you please just stay until we figure out what to do when your father comes home?"

"It's going to be a lot of work, Howie."

"And you're worth it."

"She's redoing a room for me?"

"Yeah, it's gonna be like Trading Spaces or something at the house, knowing her."

"She doesn't have to do that. The guest room was just fine... If anything, I'd take over your room," she joked lightly, coughing as she tried to laugh.

Howie chuckled softly as he handed her another cup of water. "I know, but Mella needs something to do while she's out of school or else she'll drive me crazy."

"How about you stay in that room and I'll take yours?"

"I don't wanna be alone in the room," he pouted.

"Like you're going to want a girl with two casts on her right side in a room with you either."

"I'm going to take care of you," Howie promised.

"You want to sleep by a girl in casts and bruises with lesions on her back?"

"I want to sleep with the girl I love."

"Are you going to come back tomorrow after my surgeries? Pierce will stay with me no doubt... All of them probably will... but..."

"I would like to come by if it's okay."

"I'd like that, but you need to help Melicia. I'll survive."

"How about I stop by for awhile after I help Mella and the guys with your room?"

"If you want."

"I really do want to."

"... I really want you to come by, too."

"Then I'll stop by, Sweetheart."

"Okay," she answered somewhat shyly.

Howie gave a soft smile, leaning over to kiss her again. "I love you."

"I love you more," she countered as he ran his fingers through her curls. She smiled as their lips briefly parted before connecting again. "I'm sorry for lying to you."

"I know, but it's okay now. We love each other, you're going to be fine and we're still together."

"We're still together?"

"Well, I was hoping we were--"

"And I thought we never parted," she teased softly.

"Ooh, you're funny," Howie chuckled, kissing her again.

"I'm still scared, Howie."

"I know, Sweetie. I know. But I'm going to be there for you everyday and soon you won't be scared anymore."

"You said that the waters could be rough as Hell and reach the Heavens and you would still stay beside me," she reminded herself aloud with a small smile.

"And I will keep that promise. Forever," Howie vowed.
Chapter 31 by Starry Eyes
"Have you checked out some of these pictures?" Nick laughed, picking up a frame that was sitting in the final box that Melicia had requested from the Lord Residence. He seemed quite intrigued as Melicia walked by him, deligating authority to who should do what in the room. Nick smirked as he showed Brian, who burst into laughter. It was a picture of Ana, Kieran, Pierce, Dominic, Amos, their butts bared to the camera, with their heads turned to flash cheesy smiles. The funniest portion of the picture was that on each butt was written a word to convey the sentence: Osama Can Kiss Our Ass.

"The girl is a crazy one," Kevin agreed, chuckling as he moved Ana's chest to the front of the bed.

"Of course she's the middle with the word kiss..." Nick smirked, hearing another person enter the room. He glanced up to see Howie walking into the room with obvious surprise. Nick let out some kind of squeal, rushing toward Howie. "Dude, check out your girlfriend!"

Howie stumbled back as Nick almost knocked him to the floor. He took the picture and his eyes grew wide as he saw Ana and her friends with the message, laughing. "Definitely suits her."

"There are tons of crazy pictures around here. Dude, this is fun!" Nick answered with a sly grin, showing another picture of Ana pretending to flash Kieran in the water, only to reveal a skimpy bikini top. Kieran's face was priceless - wide-eyed and his jaw dropped open. "You know...it might make better sense for me to date her than you... We're only a few years apart..."

"Callete, Nick!" Melicia ordered, throwing a pillow at his head.

"What?!" Nick whined, stumbling to catch both the picture frame and pillow.

"Don't think about taking Ana, because she loves my uncle, not you!"

"I didn't say I was taking her, I was merely asking Howie to give her to me!" Nick objected, glancing at the other picture frames that had been collected over at the house. The majority consisted of her mother and her guy friends, but another one caught Nick's interest at the bottom. He pulled out a small silver frame with blue stained glass moons. Inside the frame was a picture of Ana attacking Howie on the beach, pinning him to the sand with her impish grin

"When was this taken?" Nick asked with curiosity.

"Mella, when did you take that?" Howie countered.

"Uh... the first weekend she stayed here?" Melicia replied uncertainly, biting her lip.

"She tackled him like a pro... He was teasing her about surfing and how not many chicks could cut it. You would have thought he told her that she was brunette," AJ laughed, jumping in. He gently looped his hands around Melicia's hips, pulling her close.

"That's why she's known as the Firecracker at school," Melicia added, smiling as she leaned her head on his shoulder.

"I thought she was Firecracker because she was loud and obnoxious...." AJ teased.

"That too, you dork," Melicia rolled her eyes, poking him in his side.

"So, how is she?" Kevin countered, watching AJ simply grab Melicia for kisses.

"Doing okay. She's going into surgery for her arm and leg tomorrow morning."

"What about you two? Like did you handle everything, Uncle Howie? Are things settled? Did she admit she loved you like crazy? Are you...." Melicia wiggled her eyebrows playfully. She hoped that Ana would come to her senses. Her uncle was a fantastic man and Ana deserved to loved right.

"You're turning into AJ and that scares me," Howie groaned, ruffling his niece's locks. "Everything ended up good, and I'll leave it at that."

"Ended up good?"

"Everything ended well by the time I left," he corrected himself.

"She kicked you out?" Nick teased.

"Nickolas," Melicia growled lightly, throwing yet another pillow at him.

"Don't worry about it, Baby," Howie laughed, kissing her forehead. He pulled her carefully toward the center of the room, noticing a shoebox sitting on the bed. He then glanced about the room. "So, what do you have planned for this?"

"I was thinking that we could paint these with the deep purples and blues, like she has in her old room... I found some pictures that her mom had drawn. Fairies on clouds, on flowers, even surfing. They're so beautiful, and I thought that maybe I could either try and freelance the drawings on the walls or let Ana do them herself. Then I had an idea about a collage to put on one of the walls. Duplicates of pictures that she has plus ones I have taken... I don't know, they're all ideas right now except for the paint," Melicia replied, eyes lighting up with excitement.

"Are you going to have this done before Ana gets discharged?" Howie asked with amusement. He absolutely believed that this was the first time a true spark had returned to Melicia's eyes when she wasn't thinking about AJ. He hoped that Ana living with them would make their heart aches few and far between.

"As long as I have help from my five favorite guys," she gave a sweet smile.

"You could get an overhead projector and trace the art works onto the walls," Nick suggested quietly while the boys groaned playfully.

"That's a good idea, Nicky. Would you help me trace those since you're the only guy here who has actual artistic talent?"

"Sure," he stated sheepishly.

Melicia cocked her head in confusion. "Why are you so shy all of a sudden?"

"Because maybe I can get a date with Ana then!" he stated with his infamous lopsided grin.

Nick was suddenly attacked with all the pillows as everyone groaned in annoyance. "AH!"

"For that comment, you're buying the pizza tonight," AJ demanded.

Nick clamored out of the pile of pillows, his hair askew. "Fine! But they're all going to be extra cheese!" with that he ran from the room.

"He'll be a butthead and get one pizza that'll be covered with anchovies at the bottom or something and make me eat it. I'm going with him to make sure," Brian decided, climbing over the pillows to follow his best friend.

"I don't trust them two together when it comes to food we're going to be eating," Kevin replied as he followed Brian.

"And I'm guessing you two would like some time alone?" Howie pondered, looking at the couple sitting on the large bed. Melicia was lovingly leaning her head against AJ's shoulder as he gently rubbed her back. Howie thought it was a sweet sentiment. He couldn't understand why he had acted so violently before. They were a good couple, something to make both of them stay on the right track.

"Well, yeah. But could you go with the guys to make sure there's a pizza with pepperoni? Because I don't want to get stuck eating some nasty topped pizza," Melicia replied.

"I'll go if you tell me what's in that shoebox," Howie answered.

"It's full of things that Ana has to remember her mom. The night of the attack, her dad threw them all out and she saved what she could," Melicia said softly.

"Oh..." Howie trailed with a whisper, staring at the box. He couldn't imagine throwing Sarah's things out. She was a part of his family and Melicia's mom. They needed those things. "Your Mom's things are up in the attic..."

"I saw you put them up there when we came back here from New York. I was hoping to go up there this week and look at it all, but it depends on how I'm healing," Melicia closed her eyes for a moment, trying not to cry. It had been awhile since they talked about her mother and it was still hard.

"I can get them if you want, Baby," AJ volunteered.

"I appreciate that, Alex. But it's something I need to do myself... you know? It was my mom."

"I'm just saying I could bring the box down and sit it in the garage. That way, when you're ready, you just have to walk out there."

Melicia shook her head. "It's okay. I want to do it. I know it's weird, but it's just something I--"

"That's fine," he interupted, leaning over to kiss her. Whatever she was thinking, it was important to her. He would support whatever she decided.

"Well, I'm going to head out with the guys to make sure everything doesn't go crazy," Howie decided, kissing Melicia's forehead. "Call my cell if you want me to get anything else, okay?"

"Ice cream would be good," she decided.

"Ice cream it is," he chuckled. "Any specific kind?"

"Um...a couple kinds to mix would be great."

"Alright. Be back later and please finish whatever you two end up doing so I don't walk in the middle of it," Howie teased before leaving the room.

"He thinks we're like rabbits," AJ said in disgust as they laid down on the large bed, feeling a connection with simple body contact.

"That's Uncle Howie for you," Melicia giggled as she kissed his chest.

"Yeah, too bad he can't talk. I bet he's the same when Ana's in all her glory."

"That's wrong. Now you got images about them floating in my head," she groaned loudly.

"Well, you have images floating in Howie's head about us..."

"But that's--"

"Just rest," AJ murmured, resting his hand against her face.

A yawn escaped Melicia's lips as she snuggled closer to AJ. "Sing to me? Please?"

"I'd like you to sing to me," he countered.

A blush creeped onto her cheeks. "You don't want to have your ears bleed from me singing."

"You have a pretty voice."

She sighed softly, thinking for a moment. "Alright, I have a song. Close your eyes, okay?"

"Hmmm, okay," he chuckled, cuddling against her.

She ran her good hand through his hair, softly singing.

There's a song that's inside of my soul
It's the one that I've tried to write over and over again
I'm awake in the infinite cold
But you sing to me over and over and over again

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands
And pray to be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope

Sing to me the song of the stars
Of your galaxy dancing and laughing
And laughing again
When it feels like my dreams are so far
Sing to me of the plans that you have for me over again

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope

I give you my destiny
I'm giving you all of me
I want your symphony
Singing in all that I am
At the top of my lungs I'm giving it back

So I lay my head back down
And I lift my hands and pray
To be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I pray to be only yours
I know now you're my only hope


"See, told you that you sung beautifully," AJ whispered dreamily.

"You were right, Baby," Melicia kissed his forehead. "Get some sleep. We won't be able to rest once the guys come back."

"Why?" he whined softly, snuggling deeper.

Melicia chuckled as she continued to run her hand through his hair. "Because when you add pizza, ice cream, soda to the antics of Brian and Nick, it means we're going to be having a long night."

"Ick, we're locking them out of your room."

"Like you had to tell me twice."

"Nope, just told you once," he grinned against her skin, finally falling asleep.

"And you call me the smartass?" Melicia murmured, closing her eyes as well.

*~*~*

Ana smiled faintly as Kieran hoisted up her lavender backpack filled to the brink with homework that would keep her at the top of the class while she recovered. Amos, Kieran, Dominic, and Riley had gone to school that day to retrieve homework for her and control the damage of rumors that would obviously be flying around the school. It had been several hours after her surgeries and she had come out with no complications. A dark purple cast was formed against her now bolted and plated right arm and a thick metal immobilizer was strapped against several ace bandages from Ana's right thigh to her foot to keep her leg from moving. There was a constant flow of morphine embedded into her arm, allowing the pain to lower dramatically within the course of hours. Pierce had stayed by her side the entire time, missing school yet again. She felt horrid, but Pierce insisted he would always stay by her side no matter what. "You guys are really sweet," Ana cooed softly as they each pecked a quick kiss on her cheeks. "I've decided that I'm going to be in the band with you guys, as long as we make a point to do one Meatloaf song every practice."

"It's a deal, as long as you wear a bikini," Amos teased.

"Which one?" she countered.

"Skimpiest one you got!"

"That'd be the black string bikini with cherry print," Pierce and Dominic murmured at the same time.

"As long as you don't make me hold the tamborine. I'll shake my ass, but can I at least sing?" Ana asked with an impish smile.

"Wouldn't be a band if you didn't sing," Kieran replied as he ruffled Ana's blonde curls.

"There will be no ass shaking till I at least get the cast off my arm, because then I can be on crutches," Ana reminded, trying to bat away Kieran's hand with her IV'ed hand.

"Deal, but as soon as you get those bad boy crutches, we want to see that cute ass," Dominic laughed.

"Deal! So, skimpy black bikini, Meatloaf song, ass shaking, no tamborine, with a bit of singing..." Ana trailed as the door opened to her room. She really didn't pay attention, because she was focusing on her boys. "I might have to go get a skimpier bikini than the black if you even let me stand up front with Pierce!"

"That's something I don't know if I should be jealous of or not," a voice said from behind Kieran.

"With this girl, Mr. Dorough, be jealous of everything," Dominic teased as the boys moved.

Howie chuckled as he walked over to the bed. In one hand he had a bouquet of yellow roses and in the other was a stuffed dolphin. "How are you feeling, Sweetheart?"

"I felt better before you brought gifts. You didn't have to," Ana replied shyly.

"I wanted to," he smiled as he set down the roses on Ana's end table and haded her the dolphin.

"Thank you," she answered, hearing her boys chuckle at the sudden change of her demeanor.

"So how are you feeling?" he asked, kissing her forehead before sitting down.

"Sore and sleepy. The surgeries went well. They said I'll need a wheelchair for awhile, till the cast gets off my arm, then I can move to crutches. I'll be on crutches for a few months while my femur heals. Other than that, the bruises will fade, the lashes will heal, and I'll be singing Meatloaf in a band in a skimpy bikini while shaking my ass on crutches and burning the tamborine," Ana answered honestly cuddling the dolphin to her side.

"A wheelchair?" Howie asked.

"I have one at home from before, don't worry," Ana answered.

"Oh, okay. I'll have to carry you up to your room, then, because it's upstairs."

"I can sleep on the couch till I get my crutches. I don't want you breaking your back trying to carry me."

"But I want to carry you. There's a law saying that a boyfriend has to carry his girlfriend whenever it's needed or wanted. I can't break that law, Baby."

"The couch isn't a big deal. If anything, I can spend the first few weeks at Pierce's home... His bedroom is downstairs."

"You know how excited Mella is for you to stay with us. You can sleep on our couch, as long as I can stay there with you."

"You're not getting out of that one, Sweetheart," Pierce chuckled, leaning down to kiss her cheek. "I'm going to get these roses into that vase over there, then us boys are heading home to do some homework and sleep. I'll be back later tonight, okay?"

"Okay, Pierce," Ana sighed softly, kissing him back.

"Hey, Mr. Dorough, what are the chances we can go pick out Ana's bikini for our band?" Pierce joked, watching Ana's blue-green eyes light with amusement.

"As good as you outrunning me when I see what you've picked for my Ana," Howie joked back with a wink.

"Guys, you got that? Extra skimpy," Pierce called as the boys all delivered kisses to Ana's cheeks, promising to visit later with Pierce.

"Ah, funny. Wait and see, all of you," Howie called back as the boys left.

"I haven't been through that much."

"More than a lot of kids."

"More surgeries anyway," Ana murmured, suddenly wondering when her father would call. He always seemed to leave after the surgeries had taken place, going to another state. Then after a few days, he would call.

"Just makes you stronger in the end."

"That and completely made of metal," she joked, rolling her eyes. She reached over with her left hand, careful to make sure the tubes wouldn't kink, and ran her fingers through Howie's short curls. "Thanks for coming this afternoon. It was sweet of you. Pierce needed to get some stuff done and I know you probably didn't want to leave Melicia."

"Now that her and AJ are out in the open... I needed to leave the house, they get too kissy kissy when I'm around," Howie made a face as he took her hand and gently kissed it. "I promised you I would come here to visit."

"I know you did, but you probably have better things to do than hang around in a hospital."

"It's not hanging around in a hospital. It's being with the girl I love," He corrected.

"Love, huh?" she asked softly. She could never hear that word enough.

"Love." he leaned in and kissed her gently.

"I think I'm definitely going to like living with you," she laughed softly when they parted, her cheeks blushing a rosy red.

"Good, because that will make me the happiest man alive," he smiled.

"Oh really?"

"Mm-hmm," he leaned in and kissed her again.

"I definitely missed those," Ana stated, leaning carefully back in her bed when they parted yet again. She almost attempted to move her right leg, but hesitated when the aching pain surfaced. She took a deep breath, closing her eyes for a moment, pressing the button to release another push of Morphine in her IV. She knew she was definitely in for the long run. The pain would get worse before it disspeared. "How's Melicia doing?"

"Just fine. She wants to do everything at once and gets tired out too fast. So I'm hoping Aje can make her just take it one day at a time."

"She'll learn what her body wants to do and what it doesn't want to do. It's good that she has the energy, because that'll help with rehabilitation. She'll be back to new soon enough. The doctors will start making her use her shoulder soon."

"She goes this week for physical therapy," Howie commented.

"They'll make her start using it at that point then."

"Mella's really excited that you've decided to live with us," he changed the subject a little.

"I'm glad that she is," Ana trailed, somewhat confused. She knew that Melicia needed to heal, yet she hadn't seen Melicia since she had rushed her to the Emergency Room. She began to wonder if Howie was making up Melicia's excitement. "It's only going to be for awhile though. I mean, Dad's going to want me to come home when he gets back."

"And you honestly want to go with him? Knowing that he's just going to hurt you again?" Howie asked with pain, leaning up in his seat. He braced his hands on the side of the bed, staring at her quizzically. Whenever he tried to bring up the subject, Ana always did her best to shy away. She would have to face the music soon enough.

"I don't want him coming after you. I have a hard enough time getting out of the house with the boys, but if he knew I was staying with you... He's just awful, Howie," Ana answered honestly

"Your father may have some power, but so do I. He doesn't have the right to hurt you and he should never get another chance."

"I don't want you to get hurt, too."

"I'd rather have myself get hurt than you, Baby."

"I can take it. I've been taking it. You don't need to get involved. Just let me graduate and get to Duke. He'll leave me alone then. He won't want to come to North Carolina to bother me."

"You shouldn't be taking it, Ana. That's the problem."

"Do we have to talk about this?" Ana sighed, tracing her fingers against the soft fabric of the stuffed dolphin. She knew Howie was trying to do his best, but there was no hope to solve the situation. Her father was the ultimate nightmare and she refused to stand against him. She would just scurry around till graduation and then she would flee to North Carolina forever.

"Why don't you want to talk about it?"

"Because in all honesty, it's my problem, not yours," Ana whispered softly.

"I consider it my problem when my girlfriend is beaten by her father and won't let me help."

"There's nothing you can do, Howie."

"I can if you would let me."

"How?"

"Can I think about it?" Howie asked, running his hands through his soft curls. He really didn't know how he would solve the problem.

"Never thought I'd be so much trouble, huh?"

"You're not any trouble."

"Don't lie to me. I've been trouble since I was born."

"Well, it's the good kind of trouble."

"Not really..." Ana sighed.

"Hey, it doesn't matter to me what kind of trouble may come our way. I love you and would do anything to make sure you're safe." Howie took her hand and kissed it.

"Sometimes you're too good to be true and that scares me."

"I don't want to scare you."

"Not that kind of scare, Howie... Just, oh, forget it," Ana sighed allowing Howie's curls to wind around her fingers. She seemed content just having some kind of physical contact with him.

"Didn't know I was that rare of a find," she murmured when they pulled away for a moment.

"You're my diamond in the rough."

"I'm probably going to stay rough."

"I like it that way."

"You do?"

"Yeah, it's what makes you different than all the other girls."

"I love you, no matter how awful I get."

"I'll always love you."

"You coming back tomorrow?" she asked, knowing he couldn't stay the night.

"As long as you want me to," he replied, running his hands through her curls.

"One of the guys will be here with my new bikini, but you're always welcome. The doctor said I'll probably be out of here by the end of the week."

"New bikini? I will definitely be here," Howie teased with a grin.

"I thought you said you were going to kill them?"

"Changed my mind."

"You're not going to be there during band practice," she warned, rolling her eyes.

"Why not?" he whined, pouting a little. "I wanna see my Baby-Girl sing."

"Because you'll make me nervous and the guys will rag me about it... And I won't be able to burn the tamborine and shake my ass," she whined back.

"But Ana--"

"I think about it," she decided, leaning carefully in to kiss him.

"Alright." he smiled.

"So, are you heading back now?"

"Yeah, but I'll be back tomorrow, okay?"

"Don't worry about it, Babe."

Howie smiled, kissing her again. "If you get bored tonight, give me a call, okay?"

"It's Kieran's turn to stay the night. I won't be bored at all."

"Ah, I see how it is," he teased.

"I don't want to bother you at home."

"You would be saving me from the tortures of the cheesy AJ and Mella."

"Howie---"

"Just call me if you want to, okay? It wouldn't be a bother at all. I would actually love it if you did, because I love hearing your voice."

"I'll call, but if you're busy, don't answer it, okay?"

"I promise," he held up his right hand and gave her the Boy Scout signal.

"I love you," she chuckled.

"I know, Sweetheart, I know."
Chapter 32 by Starry Eyes
"AJ, Mella, the paint goes on the walls, not on you!" Howie groaned, scolding the two like foolish children. He watched Melicia grin impishly, coloring AJ's hair with a dark shade of purple while AJ did his best to outline the sketch of the enlarged faery that Nick had made hours earlier. AJ didn't seem to notice the flicker of paint till something wet tickled the back of his neck. He smacked at the tickle, splashing the paint onto the plastic covered floor. He glared toward Melicia, who pretended to be outlining another faery created by Ana's mother. Howie knew that the trouble was brewing as AJ started to paint a series of pictures on Melicia's tank top, listening to her screech with disapproval. Howie could only be thankful that all the funiture had been moved out of the room and the carpet covered with plastic for protection.

"She started it!" AJ objected as he ducked away from Melicia's paintbrush.

"You're going to ruin the pictures!" Howie growled, watching Melicia draw up her paintbrush in her right hand as if she were a skilled swordsman.

"No we won't, Uncle Howie!" Melicia replied as she looked back at AJ. "I challenge you to a duel, Alexander James!"

"Don't insult me," AJ snorted, ducking her brush again to kiss her lips. "You'd lose!"

In repsonse Melicia grabbed the hem of his tank top and lifted it up. Before AJ knew it his stomach was painted a dark purple. "I win!"

"You are such a freaking tease!" AJ grunted, carefully throwing her to the floor, making sure that her shoulder was cradled carefully against her chest. He then bent down, pinning her legs as he began to paint long slashes of black paint along her face. "Look, you're a Picasso!"

"Ah! Gross it's on my face!" she whined, feeling the cold paint on her skin.

"Wait...gotta add the finishing touches," AJ cackled, reaching for a paintbrush dipped in lavender. He painstakingly drew lopsided flowers on her skin, smiling at his work of art.

"Alex!" she groaned, trying to get out from under AJ. "This is not fair!

"No, I was trying to be nice and kiss you, but you got dirty, so I finished the job!"

"I didn't paint your face, this isn't the same!"

"You got my stomach!"

"If you get off me I'll help you wash it off."

"Oh, God, I didn't want to hear that," Howie choked loudly, trying to concentrate on outlining the faery that was the centerpiece of Ana's surfboard on the wall where her bed would be placed.

"Sorry Uncle Howie," Melicia gave an impish smile as she looked back at AJ. "Well?"

"Deal, but I want to paint you more."

"You can paint my clothes, Baby. Just not my face, okay? I've got to look horrid right now."

"Nah, it's cute."

"Alex, please? I wanna finish outlining the remaining faeries."

"Fine," he sulked.

Melicia grabbed his t-shirt and pulled him down for a kiss. "Don't sulk, Baby."

"Just finish with your stupid faeries," AJ laughed, accepting the kiss and then helping her up. Melicia brushed off her clothing, starting to work on the wall again. However, AJ couldn't help himself, he waited for the perfect moment and brushed a bright lavender streak across the butt of Melicia's shorts.

"ALEXANDER JAMES MCLEAN!" She turned around, paint brush ready in her hand.

"D, need a drink, Mel, keep painting!" AJ blurted, tearing out of the room.

"YOU GET PAINT ANYWHERE IN MY HOUSE AND I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" Howie screeched as Melicia took off after him.

"MCLEAN, GET BACK HERE!" Melicia shouted, her voice echoing through the house.

"SHIT! HELP ME!" AJ yelped. Suddenly there was a crash and cursing immediately followed.

Howie winced openly as his cell phone rang abruptly. Howie sighed, shaking his head with regret, knowing that the two would probably be cleaning up yet another mess. He decided quickly that he wouldn't go downstairs, knowing that the mess might be more than he could handle. Instead, he clicked open his phone only to be greeted by Ana's rare laughter, "Kier! I can so do that Cell Block Tango Dance, better than any of those chicks, and I look a Hell of a lot better in leather, too!"

"When can I see you in leather?" Howie teased with a chuckle.

"Shit, I didn't think the phone picked up..." Ana laughed softly. Kieran could be heard in the background making noises about Ana's obvious blush. "We're just watching Chicago. Kieran decided that I couldn't have any violence tonight, so we have some musicals and...comedies."

"Sounds like fun. Better than me babysitting Mella and AJ by myself."

"No, now they're downstairs after attacking each other with the paint. I'm too scared a blood vessel will burst in my brain if I go down there."

"An aneurysm? Oh, they're pretty ugly..."

"Yeah, those things. That's why I'm staying up here."

"Would it make you feel any better if I told you that Kieran is a sucky ass babysitter---ow---Kier! Damn, don't mess with the curls!" Ana whimpered softly with Kieran chuckling in the background. "Kieran is the best babysitter I've ever had. He's even better than Pierce. I bow down to his superior techniques of keeping my entertained in the oddest of ways..."

"Um...no...the entertaining must remain strictly confidential to those only in the hospital room... But, I can tell you that he gave me the ever popular bikini that I'll be wearing during practice."

"What kind of design and color?"

"A little skimpy piece."

"Can't wait to see it, Baby."

"I don't think you get the point, Howie. They took a piece of string that some Grandmother would crochet with and threw it in a bag."

Howie stopped dead in his tracks. "Say what? You're not wearing a piece of string!"

"They said that it's regulation if I want to sing some Meatloaf at every practice!"

"But a STRING?!"

"They said I could be creative with it."

"Ana are you serious or are you--"

"I'm serious that they gave me a piece of string, but then Kier gave me another bag later that had this black tube top type of swim top with a pair of string bikini briefs that are blue with drums and keyboards all over them."

Howie sighed with relief. "Thank God. I thought I was going to have an anyeurism thingy."

"They said if you wanted I could always try out the string first," she teased.

"That's something we would do privately."

"That's what they figured. So now Pierce is just trying to figure out the right angle he could have his guitar neck slip underneath the strings on my bikini bottoms and accidently untie them."

"I'm going to have a serious talk with those boys," Howie growled.

"They love you, too," Ana laughed at the other end.

"No trying to untie bikini bottoms!"

"Alright, but what if I--"

"ALEX, KNOCK IT OFF!" Melicia screeched.

"YOU KNOW YOU LOVE ME! C'MERE! PAINTY KISSES ARE COMING!" AJ cackled loudly, racing by Howie as Melicia struggled to get away. Somehow, they landed on the couch with Melicia perched on top of his chest. Immediately, Melicia cooed happily toward him, starting to kiss his neck to calm him.

"Sounds like she's doing really well..." Ana hesitated softly.

"She's getting better... the nightmares still occur every night, though." Howie bit his lip, knowing that Melicia hadn't even visited Ana since she woke up.

"They'll disappear with time... I'm glad AJ's there to help her through it," Ana answered, her voice quickly drawling away from the perkiness that had started the conversation.

"Ana, are you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry, Kieran put Chicago back on," Ana lied flatly.

"Something's wrong. Why don't you tell me?"

"Nothing's wrong, honestly. Just getting tired and all. I'm still on morphine and whatnot for the pain... Having stuff drilled and plated into your leg and arm tend to hurt a little, right?"

"Yeah, that's true. Do you want me to grab anything for you tomorrow before coming by to visit?"

"You don't have to visit."

"I told you I was going to."

"But, I don't--"

"I'm coming to see the woman I love whether she thinks I should or not. Okay?"

"I don't need anything," she sighed dejectedly, knowing she had been defeated. She didn't have the energy to compete. Her heart hurt from Melicia's obvious disregard.

"As long as you're sure. Do you want me to let you go so you can watch the rest of Chicago?"

Ana was about to speak, but Melicia's giggling voice interupted her train of thought. "ALEX! OF COURSE YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND!"

"Ick, I'm getting tired. Just tell Melicia---ah---forget it. I have to go," Ana blurted, feeling sick to her stomach. She had almost died to save Melicia, yet she couldn't even pick up a phone. Ana felt her emotions tear in half. She scolded herself for thinking ill of Melicia, knowing that the older woman was healing from her traumatic incident. It shouldn't have mattered that she didn't visit, but in the pit of Ana's heart, it did.

"Oh, alright. Goodnight, Sweetheart. I'll see you tomorrow," Howie's ears could pick up a little bit of sadness in Ana's voice and knew he had to talk to Melicia.

"Something like that," she murmured, immediately hanging up her phone without any loving partings.

Howie looked at the phone in question as he got up and headed into the living room where AJ and Melicia were. "Why haven't you visited Ana?" he blurted.

"Because I didn't think she'd want me visiting?" AJ guessed, not realizing who exactly Howie was directing the question to.

"Not you," Howie groaned, rolling his eyes. "Melicia. Baby, Ana saved your life and you saw her once while she was in that drug-induced coma."

"Oooh, this isn't an Alexander James McLean lecture... I'm going to go back to outlining," AJ murmured, quietly slipping away from the conversation.

"Uncle Howie, I've been working on her room the entire time. I haven't had time to stop by. I thought that the room would make up for it."

"I know you've been working on her room and she's going to love it. But Mella, she stayed at the hospital until almost 9 in the morning, knowing her father would be waiting at home. But she still stayed. I'm just saying you need to visit her. When you were yelling in the background, she heard you. And I think she was hurt."

"Ana understands, Uncle Howie, it's not like that. She knows that I'm at home resting up till she gets here, because we'll be partying nonstop. It's not a big deal. I think you were misreading something. She was probably tired or in pain from the surgeries," Melicia countered, trying to make herself believe her own ficticious stories.

"So, she thinks you're healing when in the background she can hear you screaming "ALEX! OF COURSE YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND!"? I don't know about that, Mella."

"Ana's independant, Uncle Howie---"

"And still needs to know she has her friends."

"I'm always going to be her friend. I just wanted to spend time with Alex and get the room done. She totally understands that. Like you said, we bonded, she knows better."

"You're sure she totally understands that?" Howie whispered. "Because you know how she hides her feelings, but is really hurting. I'm going to visit Ana tomorrow, and I think she would really like it if you either came with me or stopped by later."

"But Uncle Howie--"

"Put yourself in Ana's shoes, Mella. How would you be right now?"

"Be absolutely miserable in the hospital bed, knowing that every single movement I make caused more pain than the last..." Melicia murmured with regret. "And I'd be afraid that my father would be coming home eventually and the boys wouldn't be able to protect me... And, I should really be visiting her, Uncle Howie."

"That's my Mella," Howie sighed softly, kissing her forehead. "So you'll come see her tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I will. It'll give me a chance to get out of the house. But, you'll probably want some alone time with her, so I'll go afterwards?"

"Sounds like a plan," he yawned a little, stretching. "I'm gonna go head to bed. I'll see you in the morning?"

"More like afternoon, but yeah."

"Okay. Goodnight, Mella."

"I love you, Uncle Howie!"

"Love you more, Sweetie." he walked back and hugged her.

"Did I ever tell you that you're a pretty awesome parent?" she asked, squeezing him tightly with her good arm.

"To be honest, no... but it would ne nice to hear it more often," Howie replied, kissing her cheek before they let go.

"You're a pretty awesome parent, Uncle Howie."

"And you're a pretty awesome kid, Niece Mella."

Melicia grinned as Howie kissed her forehead once more and then hurried up the stairs. She knew he was anxious to let the days pass, because Ana would most likely be discharged from the hospital at the end of the week. Howie had a strong attachment to Ana and Melicia couldn't have wished for anything better. She made a mental note to pick up a few things for Ana before visiting tomorrow, then she listened to the faint sound of a shower. An evil smirk embellished the sapphire color of Melicia's eyes as she hurried up the stairs. "Time to torture Alex," she sang softly.

*~*~*

Ana shifted uncomfortably in her bed as she watched Howie slip in her door. She had managed to make all the boys go to school that day to catch up. They were hesitant at first, but then promised to be back as soon as possible. Ana didn't mind being alone for the day, because she had time to contemplate her situation. But, for the current hours, Ana had been busy typing with her left hand all the homework she needed to accomplish to graduate on time. She didn't even know if she'd be going back to school within the month, knowing the extent of her injuries. She glanced up admist her thoughts, noticing Howie just standing there. "You should have said hello, it's not nice to stare," Ana murmured, transfixed on her Anatomy and Physiology Book that sat off to the side. She would have the teachers stop by and give her the tests she missed whenever she got out of the hospital.

"Sorry, Baby. Couldn't help but stare at you," Howie replied as he sat down in the chair next to her bed.

"I get enough from the doctors. I think they honestly want to take me to a psych-ward or something. They have a hard enough time beliving that I suffered such severe injuries yet I didn't seem to memorize my attacker's face."

"How are you feeling?" Howie countered, not really wanting to talk about her father. Every time they did, a fight ensued with vengence. Howie had no clue how he would solve the issue and prayed to God every night for an answer.

"Sore and tired," she answered honestly.

"I could give you a back massage if you want," Howie offered, knowing Ana wouldn't take a rest if he told her to.

"You would have to be careful, my back's still tender."

"I would always be careful with you... but if you want, I could just massage your shoulders."

"That sounds nice, thank you," Ana answered softly, leaning forward gently so Howie could ease behind her. It was hard for her to move with the immobilizer strapped on her leg to prevent movement and the cast adhered to her dominant hand. Howie placed his hands on her shoulders and slowly started to knead the knots of tension in her muscles.

"Thank you so much," Ana breathed deeply, closing her eyes as her shoulders slumped forward with relief. Everything had weighed heavily on her shoulders. She had cried herself to sleep that night when Kieran had drifted off, fearing that Melicia still hated her. Everything was adding up with a fevered pace. Between the attack, her father, Howie, and Melicia - things were just unraveling.

"You're welcome, Ana. I'll do this for you whenever you need it," Howie whispered, kissing the nape of her neck as he continued to massage her shoulders. He knew she was under a lot of stress and just hoped Melicia's visit would help.

"I love you a lot," she told him quietly, feeling his knee press slightly into the small of her back. She took a deep breath, knowing that the back of her hospital gown was open so he could view her back if he chose to.

"I love you more," he contradicted with a smile, concentrating on massaging her shoulders rather than looking at the welts on her back. He didn't want to think about what her father had done. He just wanted to think about them being together.

"Okay, you can love me more," she laughed softly, drifting into a peaceful state as Howie's hands softly worked her delicate skin.

"Good," he chuckled, his hands going up and down her neck, being careful not to hit the bruises near the front. "Are you getting caught up in your schoolwork?"

"Yeah, takes awhile to type with my left hand, but it's getting done. I'll call the teachers when I get back home to set up times to take all my tests. They'll help out, because they're used me being out with injuries. I'm just afraid that I won't make it back to school before graduation, depending on how fast the doctors can get me back on my leg..."

Howie's heart broke a little at the regret and sadness in Ana's voice. "I'm sure you'll make it to graduation, Sweetheart."

"I just really want that Valedictorian title... I want to be able to stand up in front of the class and recieve it, you know? Make Momma proud, because I followed in her footsteps."

"I know you'll make Valedictorian, Ana. You've worked so hard for it and you deserve it."

"There's a difference between working hard for it and actually graduating."

"There would be no reason why you can't get Valedictorian and graduate."

"I might not even be able to walk down to even present my speech--oh--just forget it."

Howie sighed heavily, not pressing the subject. He didn't want to fight, so just continued working her muscles. "Who's coming to stay with you tonight?"

"Riley, he's bringing some massive horror movies. Said I need to endulge in the best of Anatomy and Physiology by watching organs and muscles being torn by various lumbering objects," Ana answered. "What are you and Melicia doing tonight?"

"I don't know, really. I know Mella was talking about getting some movies as well, making me and AJ suffer by watching romance. I'm thinking she got 'The Princess Diaries' so she can tease us about singing on it."

"Her and I are definitely not alike," Ana murmured somewhat dejectedly. Her friendships with girls never usually lasted, because it was hard for Ana to relate with them. Maybe it was for the best to let Melicia drift away.

"Maybe not in everything, but you're still my best friend!" A voice called from the doorway.

"Say-huh?" Ana countered with surprise, glancing upward. She was surprised to find Melicia in her doorway. Her good hand held a big bag filled with various gifts. Ana raised her light blonde eyebrows in surprise. "Aren't you supposed to be at home resting?"

"You know me. I always do the exact opposite I'm told," Melicia gave an impish smile as she walked over to Ana's bed.

"I guess so, but why aren't you with AJ?" Ana asked, feeling Howie slide away from her.

"Couples can't be together all the time, Banana. I would have killed Alex by now if we did that. Besides, I felt really bad about not visiting you... and I should have been here the day after you woke up. I'm sorry, Ana. It was really shitty of me not to come here sooner."

"I didn't care," Ana bluffed, not wanting to express any emotional downfall. She didn't want to feel foolish about something so idiotic.

"Anastacia, don't lie."

"It wasn't a big deal. The guys were here to keep me company. Yeah, I noticed that you weren't here, but it was for good reason. I mean, you had just as bad a time in the hospital as I am right now. I understand."

"Yeah, but you're in the hospital because of me. You saved my life and I didn't even come here to see you and thank you."

"I didn't save your life. I did what anyone else would have done. I don't need a thank you."

A chuckle escaped Melicia's lips as she smiled, taking various gifts out of the bag. "Don't even start by saying you deserve any of these, because you do."

Ana groaned openly as Melicia seated herself next to the bed. Melicia quickly cleared away Ana's homework from the moveable tray table and set several gifts in the homework's place. Ana glanced up to Howie to see him smirking with approval. Ana's cheeks blushed a furious red. "Tell her to take them back, Howie," Ana requested, not wanting to be spoiled. It was her fault she was in the hospital, so she shouldn't be rewarded.

"I can't tell the girl what to do, Baby. She's like her mom and won't listen to me. Just say thank you, because you know she won't stop bugging you until you accept the gifts."

"Howie, please, tell her I don't want them," Ana whimpered.

"Mella, she doesn't want the presents," Howie replied, humoring Ana. He knew that Melicia wouldn't cave in and take the gifts back.

"Uncle Howie, you may love her, but I'm making her take the gifts, even if I have to tell the guys to force her. So, why don't you go downstairs and get a cup of coffee or whatever old men get to eat and let me having some private time with my best friend," Melicia commented with a sly smile.

Howie raised an eyebrow. "I am not an old man, thank you very much. But I will go to the caf and get something to eat."

"You're going to leave me here alone with this girly piranha that wants to chew my flesh to pieces with lipstick if I don't take her gifts?" Ana exclaimed, her blue-green eyes sparking with disbelief.

"No, I'm going to leave you here with my niece who will attack you with blush and lipstick if you don't accept her gifts," Howie teased, kissing Melicia's forehead then leaning down to brush a kiss over Ana's messy blonde curls.

"Nice, real nice," Ana murmured as Howie disappeared out the door. She felt her heart flutter for a brief moment as she focused back on Melicia. "Look, I'll accept your gifts on one condition..."

"What's that?" Melicia asked with curiosity, sitting on the edge of the bed. Her ribs were healed now, all she needed was to regain the use of her shoulder.

"Sign the stupid cast?" Ana pondered sweetly, offering a black marker and gently lifting her purple cast to the table.

"Of course I will," she replied with a smile, grabbing the marker. "Good thing I'm able to use my right hand to sign your cast."

"How is your shoulder? Did physical therapy start making you use it a little bit?" Ana asked, feeling Melicia press lightly on the cast to script a long message.

"Yeah, a little. Hurts afterwards, but that's expected. Right, Nurse Ana?" Melicia teased as she continued to write.

"Doctor Lord, dork," Ana countered.

Melicia blushed. "Sorry, sorry. Bad memory of mine, you know that, geek."

"But yeah, it'll hurt afterwards. I bet after next week, they'll make you take off the sling," Ana answered, knowing Melicia was just dying to get back to her previous status.

"Thank God," Melicia sighed happily. "It's so hard to give AJ the cookie with this sling on--"

"Clicky, I love you to death, but don't tell me about your sex life," Ana interupted, holding her mouth as if she were getting ill.

"Sorry, sorry," she laughed as she placed the cap back on the marker.

Ana offered a kind smile, thankful that Melicia had taken the time to visit. She was also thankful that Melicia had countered with questions about Ana's sex life, because she would never hear the end. She sighed softly, bringing her cast to rest against her chest. "So, what'd you get me?"

"I knew you would be asking about it," Melicia chuckled. She pointed to a square package. "Open that one first."

"I'm only asking because there's no way on God's Green Earth that you'll ever consent to me saying no to presents," Ana declared, carefully settling the heavy square onto her lap. She tore gently into the paper, opening the box to reveal several sets of Backstreet Boys CDs, not one CD missing from the entire set, imported to recent. Ana glanced up with confusion. "Do you want my ears to bleed?"

"Trust me, you'll love these. I've been hearing all this since I was born. You'll understand why Uncle Howie and the guys do what they do and why. Have you ever heard any of their songs?"

"No, every time they came on the radio, the guys switched me to Eminem or Country. Sorry," Ana answered, carefully sifting through the large pile of CDs, watching the changing looks as the dates passed between CDs.

"It's alright. A lot of guys don't like this kind of music," Melicia shrugged with a smile. "But I thought that since you're dating Uncle Howie now, it would be good to brush up and hear how they sound."

"Why? I'm dating your Uncle, not his music career," Ana countered, feeling a little embarrassed at the bluntness of their conversation. She could only remember Melicia's bitter words on Ana's relationship with Howie.

"He's going to think I'm an idiot when he comes in here and sees all these CDs!"

"Oh, he will not! I'm the one who bought them, okay? He'll think it's sweet, anyways."

"Sweet?" Ana countered, wrinkling her nose in distaste.

"Yes, I used profanity," Melicia laughed, rolling her eyes. "What are you going to do about it?"

"Why would it be sweet?"

"Because it is. Like when Uncle Howie learned how to surf because it was your passion. His is singing and now you have all the CD's so you can hear what he loves to do."

"I'll listen to them tonight when Riley drifts off," Ana promised softly, deciding that if Howie would risk his neck surfing, she could risk her ears at listening to the music. She looked on the bright side, knowing that she might actually like what she listened to.

"Good. Now open the other ones."

"This is quite enough, Melicia," Ana sighed.

Melicia's eyes grew wide. "Whoa. You've never called me Melicia before."

"Sorry, I just don't think you should spend your money on me. The CDs are enough."

"Please, don't worry about it. Open the other ones up."

Ana reached for the next box, opening it carefully with her good hand. She wrinkled her nose in surprise as she noticed the second box was filled with Backstreet Boys DVDs. "Clicky! What are these for?"

"There are moments in there that will give you enough ammunition on Uncle Howie and the guys until the end of time," Melicia laughed, her eyes twinkling.

"I don't want any ammunition. I don't think they're going to be as close to me as they are to you."

"Ana, all the guys think of you as part of the family! Hell, Nick has been bugging Uncle Howie let him date you instead."

"Nick wants to date me?" Ana laughed.

"Yeah, Uncle Howie wasn't too pleased when he said that," Melicia replied, laughing.

"Nick is more my age..." Ana trailed with laughter. "Although, that'll be good ammunition when Howie questions me on how I'm initiated into the band..."

Melicia raised an eyebrow as she handed Ana another gift. "What do you mean?"

"Riley, Amos, Pierce, Dominic, and Kieran want to get this band started, but they want me to join. First they joked about me being the surfer chick with the tamborine, shaking my ass to the beat. Howie heard that and absolutely flipped. Then when he was here the other day the guys said I have to wear a skimpy bikini to practice if I want to sing Meatloaf. Well, the first week that I join into practice, they have rituals. It's all stupid stuff that we do, but it's funny as Hell."

"Stupid stuff like what?" Melicia asked, watching Ana hesitate on the gift.

"Skinny dipping in the ocean, five guys and one girl date, strip poker, just you know, stupid stuff," Ana explained. "I remember it was the first time that they practiced and it was right after September Eleventh. I was feeling a little gloomy, so they decided that it was ritual time. We all lined up with lipstick on our butts saying: Osama Can Kiss Our Ass. That was the first band ritual, but they're will be plenty more when I offically join."

"Oh yeah, I saw that picture."

"You saw it?"

"I hope you won't get upset, but... the guys and I went over to your house to get your clothes, pictures and cedar chest so we could make your room at my house more cozy."

"I guess not..." Ana trailed, knowing her father would be furious if he went into her room and discovered her things missing.

"I'm sorry--"

"I'm not," Ana replied quickly, offering a smile. "The stuff in my cedar chest never gets a chance to see daylight, because of Dad and all... But at your house, I know that I'll be able to view them without any problems. Thanks for going over there. It must have been a lot of trouble."

"The maids just let us in without asking questions... they were too busy cleaning..."

"Cleaning the blood?" Ana guessed. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"It's alright... I just couldn't believe that they would just clean it all up and not call the police on your dad--"

"My Dad pays the checks, Clicky. They can't refuse that money and Dad would probably turn around and slap a slander lawsuit on them or something. It's complicated."

"He has that much power?"

"He has a lot of things."

Melicia sighed as she ran a hand through her curls. "Yeah, I'm learning that he does."

"Don't give me a lecture like Howie does. Everything's going to be fine. I'm going to get the stupid cast off, get the immobilizer off, walk down the graduation isle, go to Duke, and be safe."

"I'm not going to lecture you. This is girl time, and that's what it's going to be. Now hurry up and open your other presents before I do for you," she replied, handing Ana two more packages.

"What else could you possibly give me," Ana complained, opening the first package. It held many pairs of different boxers, with creative designs from rubber duckies to hot fudge sundaes.

"Uncle Howie told me you were complaining about changing clothes because of that iron cage around your leg. So I thought you would like some boxers to lounge around in until it comes off."

"These look comfy. Thank you."

"You're welcome," Melicia smiled as she watched Ana picked up one that chili peppers all over them. "I got those because of Uncle Howie being the Latin Lover and all."

"What does his nickname have to do with me getting chili peppers on boxers?" Ana asked in confusion.

Melicia shrugged. "It's part of our heritage, the whole spicy food stuff. And I know that he thinks you're MUCHO CALIENTE!"

"Are you trying to get me laid or something?" Ana teased.

"Wouldn't you like to know," she laughed. "Open the last one."

You'd be a little late. Ana thought to herself with her characteristic impish grin. She carefully started to peel away the layers of paper.

Ana opened the large box to see there was a small square box inside. Taking it out, she looked at Melicia with curiosity. "What is this?"

"Just open the box."

"Clicky," she groaned, opening the box. Her eyes grew wide as she looked at the necklace nestled in the velvet. It was silver and a music note pendant sparkled with small diamonds.

"It's from me and Uncle Howie. We both think you sing like an angel, no matter what your Dad says. You should sing because it makes you happy. And it makes me and Uncle Howie happy to hear you sing," Melicia blurted before Ana could refuse.

"I can't accept this..." Ana whispered, handing back the small box.

"Please take it, Ana. We want you to have it," Melicia replied, taking Ana's hand and placing the box in it.

"That's just too much..."

"Nothing's too much when it comes to friends."

"Melicia, really, I can't," Ana protested again as she heard the door open. She glanced to see Howie standing there with two sodas for the girls. She looked to him with a helpless sense of distress. "I can't accept this. Tell her I can't accept this."

He walked over and saw it was the necklace. Setting the sodas down, he took the box and pulled out the necklace. "I can't tell her that because I want you to wear this, Sweetheart."

"I don't want that, it's too expensive."

"It's not too expensive for someone as important as you," Howie countered softly, winking toward his niece. He leaned over Ana, gently clasping the silver necklace around her slim neck. He smiled as the musical note glittered with the beautiful gems. "It was made for you, Ana."

"Howie, I---"

"You're welcome."

"That's not what I was going to say," she protested.

"Were you going to say 'I love the necklace, thank you'?"

"I was going to say that you're both a pain in my ass."

"But you love us!" Melicia chirped.

"No doubt about it," Ana replied shyly, bringing her good hand up to the dainty necklace. She took a deep breath, trying to accept their thoughtfullness. She was used to it with the boys, but she had known them forever. She wasn't used to the special treatment when she was to blame. "Thank you, though."

"You're welcome," Howie replied, kissing her softly.

"Not in front of Melicia!" Ana blurted, shyly turning away from Howie with blushing cheeks when the kiss ended.

"I think it's cute!" Melicia objected.

"Clicky, on my side!" Ana laughed.

"Not when it comes to this!" She grinned.

Ana rolled her eyes, knowing it was useless. She felt Howie gently sit down beside her on the bed. She carefully pushed the DVDs and CDs into Melicia's lap, obviously telling her to hide them. Ana kept Howie's attention by holding up the pair of hot chili pepper boxers. "Do you know why she gave me these?"

Howie raised his eyebrows. "No, I don't... what was her reason for that style?"

"Because she said that your the Latin Lover of the group..." Ana trailed mischeviously, smiling impishly. "Mind telling me what the Hell these boxers have to do with your past love life?"

Howie's face turned a little red as he gave his niece a look. Melicia merely shrugged with a grin on her face. "Well, I always say that I like my salsas hot and spicy just like my women. I'm thinking that Mella got you those because of that. And... well... I have those exact boxers at home."

"Oh really?" Ana replied with a curious look.

"Yeah. That's what the chili peppers mean."

"So, am I like your salsa?"

"My hot and spicy salsa," he replied with a smile, kissing her again.

"Damn, and I thought she was just trying to get me laid!" Ana sighed with defeat, merely teasing.

"Didn't we..." Howie's voice trailed as Melicia's eyes grew wide with obvious interest. Howie's cheeks turned bright red as he busied himself with fixing the necklace around Ana's neck. "You don't want to have sex till your married, so of course the boxers aren't going to mean that, because I respect your space."

"Got you," Ana laughed, feeling his fingers trace gently on her neck.

"Uncle Howie's blushing," Melicia replied in a sing song tone.

"He always blushes," Ana told Melicia.

"Runs in the family," he mumbled, kissing Ana's neck.

Ana laughed softly, reaching her good hand up to run her fingers through Howie's curls. She glanced toward Melicia with curiousity. "Howie told me that your making him and AJ watch romance movies tonight."

Melicia grinned. "Yup! I don't think you've seen 'The Princess Diaries', but the guys sing a song in there. So we're going to watch that along with 'The Princess Bride' and 'Robin Hood: Prince Of Theives'."

"Wow, nothing I've ever seen before, have fun, Sweetheart," Ana cooed toward Howie.

He made a face. "Oh yeah... load of fun with the lovebirds."

"I get a fun night with Riley and probably a magazine filled with bikinis that he wants me to buy."

"Didn't we already go through the whole bikini episode?" Howie groaned, knowing it was trouble.

"We've only just begun," Ana laughed.

"With Ana and the boys it never ends," Melicia teased.

"Just wait till I have band practice with them," Ana encouraged, smirking toward Melicia. The girls had one thing in common - they knew how to drive Howie insane.

"They'll be going crazy in that little bikini you have -- shaking your booty as you sing Meatloaf."

"Drool cups will need to be applied before every practice, not to mention the after practice strip poker... Then the guys made this new rule about each week the bikini has to get skimpier and skimpier," Ana trailed, glancing to Howie.

"Wait... Skimpier?" Howie choked with worry.

"You remember when I told you about that piece of string? Well, the guitar bikini is to start out with, by the end of the summer, the string will be what I'm wearing," Ana teased, watching Melicia muffle a giggle.

"What? No way in Hell am I going to have my girlfriend wear a string with all those boys--"

"We could talk them into two strings, Uncle Howie," Melicia suggested.

"No. She's not going to wear strings."

"You're not going to be at the practice, Howie. You could just imagine me in this huge t-shirt," Ana decided.

"And you can just imagine me running in the middle of it all to cover you up."

"Practice switches between all the guys' houses, you won't know which one we're at."

Howie was about to say something when Melicia interrupted him. "Uncle Howie, do you really think she'll be wearing strings by that time?"

"By what time?" Howie asked in confusion, still trying to swallow his anger.

"The end of the summer, before we head off to Duke!"

"I don't know anymore about her..." Howie trailed, glancing wearily toward his girlfriend.

"I love you," Ana stated sweetly.

"I love you, too." Howie leaned down and kissed her again. He knew she had power over him with the simplest things.

"I'm just wearing my bikinis that I like. I'm picking out a couple more because that's what I do during summer. I like having different bikinis to surf with. That's all I meant, but Clicky and I love teasing you, Sweetheart," Ana explained softly, allowing Howie's curls to wind around her index finger.

"Yeah, I know you two love that," Howie chuckled, resting his chin on her shoulder and kissed her cheek.

"I'll let you pick out a bikini or two if you like, as long as you promise not to wear it," Ana teased.

"Ew, that was gross," Melicia made a face.

"The thought of Howie wearing a bikini?" Ana laughed, crinkling her own nose. "Dude, he'd definitely need a wax..."

"Ouch! No way! Uh-uh!" Howie objected, wincing.

"Definitely not a plesant image," Melicia agreed, holding her mouth.

"Then why doesn't he just pick out my bikinis?" Ana asked.

"Can I?"

"Do you want to?" Ana replied with a smile.

Howie grinned, nodding with excitement. "Yes, please."

"Melicia, can you grab the magazine on the bedside table?" Ana asked, watching Melicia lean over to grab the magazine. Ana smiled as she handed the thick magazine toward Howie. "Now you can enjoy your romance movie night with Clicky and AJ. But if Clicky tells me that you made a face at any time during the night because of their kissing, I'm cutting out a bikini," Ana teased.

"But--" he stopped, knowing that Melicia would tell Ana if he did that. "Alright, I won't make faces."

"Just enjoy yourself tonight, okay?"

"I will. You and Riley have fun, too."

"Fun fun, right Clicky?" Ana laughed.

"Oh, totally. Especially watching people get eaten and blown up in those movies. You'll be able to ace the AP test after watching those."

"Make sure you at least try to come back and visit with me till I'm discharged on Saturday, okay?" Ana decided, immedaitely shifting the conversation.

"Of course I will. I'm going to make sure you've been doing what I asked with the presents," Melicia replied, smiling as she leaned down and kissed Ana's cheek.

"What is she supposed to be doing with what presents?" Howie asked curiously.

"She got me lotion and stuff. Wants to make sure I'm at least trying to be somewhat of a girl before she bombards me in the life of girl-dom at your house," Ana explained quickly.

"Yeah, she's going to have plenty of ammunition to throw at me when she gets out of here," Melicia replied.

"What ammunition?" Howie asked again.

"Uncle Howie, it's a girl thing, you wouldn't get it," Melicia rolled her eyes playfully. "Now kiss your girlfriend so we can let her relax before Riley gets here."

"Yeah, I'm going to need some energy before Riley gets here with his stack of strip poker cards..." Ana trailed as she watched Howie frown. She rolled her eyes. "Baby, I'm kidding. When are you coming to visit again?"

"I was thinking tomorrow afternoon."

"You don't have to come that early."

"Would it be so hard to say 'Okay, Howie. I'll see you tomorrow'?" He teased.

"The first time I didn't argue, you looked at me like I was diseased. I asked you if you'd like me any better without the fight, and you said that's what makes me cute. So, why should I disappoint you?" she impishly replied.

Howie just smiled, kissing her deeply. "I love you."

"Okay, Howie, I'll see you tomorrow," she answered.

He rolled his eyes, chuckling. "NOW you say that after I get all gushy with 'I love you'."

"Gushy, huh? That's gushy?"

"Gushy, mushy, lovey dovey? I don't know, you're confusing me," Howie whined.

"You better get him home before he pops a blood vessel, Clicky. This medicine smell might be getting to him," Ana whispered loudly.

"I think I might need to," Melicia laughed as she got up and tugged on Howie's arm. "C'mon, Uncle Howie. Romance movies await!"

"Bye, Sweetheart," Ana called softly, reaching again for her homework.

"Bye, Angel," Howie replied as he kept looking at Ana while Melicia dragged him to the door. They door closed and Ana was into the homework again when it opened and his head popped inside. "I love you!"

Ana laughed, blowing him a kiss. "I love you, too."

He caught it and blew one back. "I'll see you tomorr--"

"Ay, yi, yi! Vamos, Uncle Howie!" Melicia's voice called from behind the door. She grabbed his collar and pulled him away from the door.

"I just wanted to tell her that I love---"

"She knows, trust me, she knows! Now stop driving her crazy!"

"Meli--"

"C'MON I WANT MY LOVING TOO!"

"Howie's grounded," Ana sang softly, hearing the bickering continue softly down the hallway.
Chapter 33 by Starry Eyes
"Ooooh, Ana would look so freaking sexy in that!" Howie called excitedly as he hurriedly circled something in the thick magazine. He had spent almost the entire movie glancing through the magazine. He had said nothing about the romance movies or Melicia and AJ kissing throughout the entire film. Occasional squeals from Howie would set AJ into some kind of a panic, making Melicia laugh at AJ's puzzled expressions. "Her best colors are definitely blue and red..."

"What the Hell is he talking about?" AJ groaned toward Melicia, running his fingers on her stomach beneath the tank top. They lay sprawled on the opposite couch, leaning in each others arms.

"Ana told him he could pick out some bikini's for her. You would have thought he was a 10 year old and Ana had said he was allowed to have ice cream before dinner," Melicia chuckled, shivering at AJ's touch on her stomach.

"But I love her in purple. Damn, purple has to be a choice!" Howie blurted.

"Bikinis, huh? Well, Babe, I understand now. He's picking out little bikinis for his woman so she can runway model for him. Definitely kinky in the bedroom," AJ teased, feeling her tremble. He loved the feeling of her soft skin beneath his fingertips as he began to trace hearts across her stomach.

"That was so wrong on so many levels," Melicia laughed a little as she felt AJ make shapes on her skin. "You know what I want to do?"

"Crush the DVDs to oblivion?"

"You wish. No, those need to go back to the video store, Alexander."

"Then what do you want to do?" he asked, watching the credits roll.

"I want to get my nose pierced and get a tattoo."

"Are you serious?" he laughed.

"Yeah! I've been thinking about it for awhile. Don't you think I would look cute with a nose piercing?"

"I never thought about it... I think if it was a cute diamond, emerald, or sapphire stud... Nothing huge and no loops... I think that would look good," AJ answered seriously.

Melicia grinned, kissing him. "Let's go now."

"For a tattoo and piercing?"

"Mm-hmm! And I was thinking with the tattoo... we could get... matching ones."

"Sounds good to me, but I'm not getting my nose pierced."

"What about there?" she placed her finger below his lip. "Your labret."

"Mmmm, okay," AJ murmured, kissing her fingers.

Melicia's heart fluttered a little as she traced AJ's lips with her finger. "You will?"

"For you, anything," he promised, smiling.

She smiled back, pulling him in for a kiss. "You're so amazing."

"Not half as amazing as you," he recalled against her lips.

"You always make me blush," she sighed, feeling her cheeks grow hot.

"You're beautiful when you blush," he answered, running his fingers down her cheek. "Does your uncle approve of the tattoo and piercing?"

"I've already got all these earrings and I've told him before how I want a tattoo. He might have an anyeurism, but that happens a lot when you live with me."

"Just tell him that Ana's getting a belly button ring when she gets out and he'll be so preoccupied with that... you'll be off the hook."

"Good idea," she laughed as they sat up on the couch. "Do you think he'll notice if we leave?"

"Why don't we just be honest?" AJ suggested, watching Howie's eyes light up again as he found another bikini. "You can go upstairs and get ready and I'll even take you out to dinner."

"Ooh, alright." Melicia smiled, kissing him before running up to her room.

"Hey, D, the movies over!" AJ called loudly.

Howie jumped from the sound of AJ's voice and looked at him. "Are they?"

"Yeah, Melicia and I are going out to grab dinner. Then she wants to get a tattoo and her nose pierced. She and Ana were talking earlier and she decided that she wanted to get something pierced because Ana's getting her belly button done. That alright?"

"Ana's getting her belly button pierced?" he asked, acting the way AJ had predicted.

"Yeah, she said something about thinking you might find it sexy."

"That would definitely be sexy..." Howie murmured.

"You like the idea, huh?" AJ chuckled.

"You think?" he replied, rolling his eyes with a smile.

"I will. What is Melicia getting pierced--"

"C'mon, Sweets, let's go!" Melicia called as she ran down the stairs.

"Her nose," AJ stated simply.

"Oh, okay," Howie replied as they stood up from the couch.

"Your uncle's cool with it," AJ laughed, watching Melicia bounce down the stairs, carefully adjusting her sling.

"Really? Sweet!" Melicia grinned, walking over to Howie and kissed his cheek. "We'll be back later, Uncle Howie!"

"Be careful, okay," Howie chuckled, kissing her forehead.

"Always am." Melicia smiled, giving him a one-armed hug before taking AJ's hand and dragging him to the front door.

"Wait! Babe, go start the car! I need to ask Howie a question!" AJ blurted, bracing himself against the door. He knew that Melicia was raring to go, but he needed to satsify his curiousity. Melicia had been raving all day about how cute Howie and Ana were together.

"Alright, but hurry up!" she kissed him, pulling the keys out of his front pocket and running outside to the car.

"Hey, D, can I ask a question?"

Howie looked up from the magazine. "Yeah, sure. What is it?"

"I'm sorry, but I have to ask. Mella was talking about how cute you and Ana are and how much love you guys have... I'm really happy for you guys, but it jogged my memory... Well I can't help but remember when you first found out Ana was in the hospital. You kept saying she had to wake up for you and stuff... Can you tell me why?"

Howie put down the magazine, running a hand through his curls. "I just... I didn't want to live without her, you know? I love her a lot and... I was saying she needed to wake up because... I want to marry her someday."

"You want to marry her?" AJ asked with wide eyes.

"Yeah, I do. You can't tell anyone I said that. Ana would be scared, I think..." Howie bit his lip.

"Why would she be scared? If anything I think she would freak in a good way. Mella says she loves you like crazy... Then she wouldn't have to deal with her father. You could protect her."

"I know, but..." Howie sighed. "I don't know. I just want to take it slow with her--"

"Why slow?"

"Because I've never felt this way about anyone and I don't want to rush it."

"That's understandable... But if you wanted to drop to your knee the day her father got back into town, we'd all cheer you on," AJ encouraged.

"I know you would be--" he was interrupted by the horn honking. "You better get going before Mella steals the car."

"She can't drive with one arm," AJ chuckled, buttoning up his jean jacket. "I'm happy for you, D. You seemed really lost after Sarah died and everything... We're all happy that a smile's back on your face."

Howie smiled then, nodding. "Thanks. Yeah... I still feel a little lost, but it's getting better."

"Ana's definitely a good thing. Don't hesitate on marrying her."

"I would never hesitate on that. I just want to wait for the right time."

"Same here."

"Wow, you two are really serious, huh?"

"I told you I loved her like crazy."

"Yeah, but this is you we're talking about. I never thought I would see the day where you would want to get married."

"Melicia changed a lot of things."

"I know. She's been good for you to stay on track and you do the same for her." the horn honked again.

"I got to go..." AJ laughed.

"Did I mention she was impatient like her mother?" Howie teased as AJ opened the door.

"No, but I'll live with it! We'll propose together, D, alright!? Adios!" AJ cackled, running out the door. Howie fell back on the couch, letting the magazine fall to his side. He ran his hands through his curls, pondering the statement. He laughed, shaking his head, deciding to call Ana.

*~*~*

"You got your what pierced? Dude, don't sneeze too hard, it might get embedded in your brain!" Ana teased loudly on the speaker phone. It was a little after midnight and neither girl could sleep. Melicia had taken the phone into Ana's soon-to-be-bedroom, allowing it to sit on the floor while she painted the faeries. Both boys were in bed, so Melicia was free to have a conversation with Ana on the phone.

"I didn't know that could happen!" Melicia laughed as she dipped the brush in paint. "AJ got his labret pierced and after that we got matching tattoos."

"What was the matching tattoo?"

"It's this really cool design of a steel rose with our initials winding up the stem. It means that we're unbreakable and forever," Melicia sighed dreamily.

"You let him brand you?" Ana snorted quietly.

"He did not brand me!" she objected with a laugh. "If that's the case, I did the same to him."

"I'm living with cattle branders..." Ana trailed playfully. She heard Melicia clear her throat as if to scold her, but Ana quickly changed the subject. "I got an interesting call from your uncle tonight."

"Really? What did he say?" Melicia asked, carefully tracing a faery.

"He was asking me about when I wanted to get my belly button pierced."

Melicia had to turn away from the wall so she wouldn't screw up the drawing from laughing. "Did he?"

"Yeah, where the Hell did he get that idea? I mean, yeah, I was talking about getting my belly button done... But that was with the guys..."

Melicia couldn't say anything as she continued to laugh. "Clicky? Did you have something to do with this?"

"AJ thought it would be a good idea... To distract Uncle Howie with the belly button ring... AJ said that Uncle Howie would think it was sexy and it'd get me off the hook," Melicia snickered.

"Well, yeah, he definitely voiced his opinion about the sex appeal," Ana groaned.

"You would look sexy with one!"

"Why? Because I let my gut hang out all the time."

"Let your gut hang out? Ana, you HAVE no gut!"

"I'll give you that..." Ana trailed playfully. "But you're lucky that I wanted a belly button ring in the first place."

"Good thing I said that and not your nipples or something," Melicia laughed.

"Owwww," Ana whined loudly.

"I knew you would say that," she chuckled and went back to tracing the drawings. "After getting my nose done... makes me want to get more. What do you think about a tongue ring?"

"I think if you go through a metal detector you're going to be in some major trouble."

"You know, that's almost the exact same thing Uncle Howie told me when I got home tonight," Melicia laughed.

"Well, he's a smart man."

"You know what they say... 'great minds think alike'," Melicia stifled a yawn as she continued to trace the drawings. Sleep was starting to get the best of her along with the paint fumes.

"I can let you go, I just wanted to call to ask you a question and tell you something..." Ana trailed, hearing the yawn.

"What did you want to tell me?" she answered.

"I wanted to tell you that I actually got the chance to listen to one of the CDs you gave me."

"Which one? Did you like the songs?"

"The latest one... Black and Blue?" Ana replied fuzzily, obviously searching for the CD. Melicia could almost see her smiling through the phone. "I like the upbeat songs the best... That's just how I am. Get Another Boyfriend was amusing, but I really loved Shining Star and Not For Me... And the whole What Makes You Different speech was pretty hot."

"Yeah, that song is Uncle Howie's pride and joy. I was feeling down when Black & Blue was being written... so he wrote that for me. I'm surprised he hasn't sang it for you, because I know that's what he's feeling right now."

"What song?"

"What Makes You Different Makes You Beautiul."

"He wrote that?"

"Yeah, if you look at the little CD booklet you'll see that he did. Him and the guys wrote a bunch of songs for Black & Blue."

"I can hardly manage to get anything little to work for my hands at the moment," Ana retorted dryly. "But that's freaking sweet that he wrote that song for you... Shows he's a great uncle and all."

"Uncle Howie's really talented, Ana. Give him a chance to see what he can do. He'll surprise you, because he always suprises me and I've known him since I was born."

"I never said I wasn't going to give him a chance," Ana defended.

"I know," Melicia laughed.

"What... What did you mean about him singing that to me?"

"What do you think it means?"

"I don't know, that's why I asked you in the first place," Ana replied with a tinge of frustration. Girls always had a way of twisting words around.

"Here, I'll sing some of the words."

You don't run with the crowd
You go your own way
You don't play after dark
You light up my day

You got your own kind of style
That sets you apart
Baby that's why you
Captured my heart


"Clicky, I already know you have a great singing voice."

"Noooo, LISTEN to the words."

"He's saying that your a special person, Clicky. I'm not deaf."

Melicia rolled her eyes. "That's a total description of you, Ana. He's going to sing that song to you because that's how he feels about you."

"That's not a description of me," Ana defended quickly. "He's only sang one bit of a song to me and I don't expect any more."

"Then you don't know my uncle very well. That man loves to sing and he will sing that song to you."

"When pigs fly and I get a tattoo on my ass."

"Okay, we'll see."

"So, are you okay with it then?"

"Of course I am."

"With me and Howie? Because if you're not cool with it then I'll stop the whole thing. I know you were freaked about because I'm younger than you...and Howie is...well...your uncle. I mean, if you told me to step back up off, I would step back up off. I'm not about to break down bridges and burn flesh over a boyfriend, you know?" Ana rambled.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. I know I freaked out at first, but that was because I didn't expect that. I see you and Uncle Howie together, and it makes me smile. You both look so happy together, like I am with Alex."

"I'm sorry that I--dude--it makes you smile?"

"Yeah! I seriously haven't seen my uncle as hapy as he is now with you. Not even after they got nominated for all those Grammy's or any of the awards they've won."

"Thank you," Ana whispered softly.

"I should be thanking you, but you're welcome anyways."

"No, I'm serious, Clicky. It hasn't been the easiest for me... When Momma...well... I haven't felt true love in awhile, you know? And you're letting me have that with Howie and I appreciate it. It makes me feel truly wanted in a world that has been out to get me probably since the day I was born," Ana explained, actually allowing some emotions to flow free for several minutes.

"Uncle Howie is lucky to have you, Ana. You deserved to be loved and Uncle Howie deservesto be loved. And that's the honest to God truth."

"I love you, Clicky," Ana chuckled.

"Love you more!" Melicia replied with a smile as she yawned again.

"I'm going to let you get to sleep while I grabbed some morphine from the good-ol-patient-controled-narcotics," Ana replied with her southern twang that only the boys were used to.

"I miss the morphine," Melicia laughed as she closed the paint cans and set away the brushes. "I'll talk to you later, then?"

"Tomorrow probably."

"Alright, sounds good. Sleep tight, Ana Banana."

"Do you have to use that nickname?"

"Hmm... yup!"

"I'm definitely going to get you back when I'm on crutches."

"I'll keep that in mind. G'night... Ana Banana!" Melicia clicked the speaker phone off.
Chapter 34 by Starry Eyes
"Mella, this room is the shit. The faeries on the walls are freaking sweet. I'm glad I helped draw them onto the walls... Ana's going to love you forever," Nick enthused as he gently ruffled Melicia's locks. It was Friday afternoon and the room was finally done. Melicia's vision had fit perfectly in the large guest room. The faieries painted on creamy white walls in colors of lavenders, plums, deniums, sky blues, and various other colors. The covers over the lustrious bed were made of a sheer violet colored fabric, because Melicia could imagine Ana snuggling into the covers during her late nights. Ana's cedar chest lay perfectly at the end of the bed with picture frames layering all of the walls. Melicia had even selected a special wall near the walk-in closet to fill with various pictures of Ana, the boys, her mother, Melicia, and Howie. Then, the center of the room was the first draft of Ana's special faery in a delicate silver frame above Ana's bed.

Melicia smiled happily as she looked around the room. "I'm jealous of it myself! I should be on Trading Spaces or something, I could knock people's socks off."

"Maybe that's what you should major in - Interior Design," AJ suggested with a sly smile. She did have a certain knack for knowing people's lifestyles and personal desires.

"That and my Journalism," she added, kissing his cheek. "Can't forget that."

"You could major and minor," AJ suggested.

"Yeah... but I also like marketing... man, I don't like choosing these things!"

"You're young, you have time to choose, mix, and match," Kevin chuckled, kissing her forehead. "If anything, you decorate your home for your family, do journalism for a serious career, and market on the weekends."

"Hey, that could work!" Melicia replied excitedly. "Rolling in the cheddar, oh yeah."

"Cheddar?" Brian repeated with amusement.

"You know, money?" she laughed. "All five of you guys are definitely making a lot of it."

"But we never called it cheddar," Brian explained, "Dough, money, moola, chips, pennies, cash...the list goes on...but doesn't include cheddar."

"Don't forget dinero," Howie added.

"Alright, Latin Loser," Nick snickered.

"Hey!" he and Melicia objected.

"Sorry, had to use the double 'L' on him!"

"You're just jealous because you're not as suave and exotic like the Latin are!" Melicia stuck her tongue out at him.

"Suave and exotic? Nah, I'd rather take the sexy and blonde route..." Nick trailed playfully.

"Carter," Howie growled possesively.

"What?" Nick asked innocently.

"Does Nick have a death wish?" Melicia whispered into AJ's ear as Howie gave Nick a tongue lashing.

"Dude, I wasn't even talking about her! I was talking about myself! Chill the Hell down! I mean, jezz, if I was going to talk about Ana, I would use the double 'B'. You know, Beautiful Blonde... Or maybe the Sexy Siren, cause her voice kicks ass... Fine-Ass Fox would work, too... But Bomb-shell Blonde is a definite possibility..." Nick whined loudly.

"No, he's definitely not smart enough to think of one because his mouth decided for him," AJ replied.

"I think we should staple his lips shut..." Melicia trailed, cocking her head to the side in wonder as Nick began to dig a deeper hole for his body.

"That would be an improvement," AJ decided, cocking his head to the other side as they listened intently to Howie's rage.

"You don't talk like that about someone's girlfriend! And to make it worse, I'm like your brother! Dude, that's wrong! If I see you make ONE move on Ana, I'll kick your ass so far you'll end up in last Tuesday!"

"Is this a bad time to ask when she's getting discharged?" Nick squeaked.

"Yes, it's a VERY bad time, Nick!"

"Well, to defend myself, I was only complimenting you on your choice of girlfriends. She's a sweet piece... Dude, I was just complementing you and her!"

Howie raised an eyebrow. "You better be sure about that and watch your words next time!"

"I didn't say anything wrong!"

"You know how protective Uncle Howie is of Ana. When you say stuff like that, he's going to attack," Melicia replied knowingly.

"Stuff like what?!" Nick fired, turning on his heel. "I just said she was sweet, cute, and beautiful..."

"No, you said things like 'Fine-Ass Fox, Beautiful Blonde and Sexy Siren'. And you have told him before that he should let you date Ana. You're not the innocent one, Nickloas."

"Do you have me on tape saying these things?"

"If you mean Alex, Brian, Kevin and Uncle Howie, then yes."

"I'm sorry," he immediately whimpered.

"Good Nicky," she cooed, patting the top of his head.

"Can I still see Ana?"

"As long as you do what Uncle Howie told you."

"What did he tell me to do again?" Nick asked with confusion, scratching his head.

"Not hit on Ana or call her those nicknames."

"What if she likes one of those nicknames?"

"She won't know unless you tell her, and you're not supposed to."

"What if they're causally brought up... Like she needs a new surfing nickname?"

Melicia raised an eyebrow. "Do you have selective hearing, Nicky?"

"Mom used to tell me that, but I do get what you're saying..." Nick answered, leaning down and picking up his hat from the floor. "I promise that I'll hit on Ana and give her some awesome nicknames. Checked, noted, and filed!"

"NICK!" Melicia groaned loudly as Howie's eyes seemed to light with a new fire.

"I'll see you guys down at the hospital, okay?!" Nick blurted quickly, fishing in his pocket for his keys. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Howie advancing. Nick yelped in surprise, freeing the keys and running hurriedly down the steps.

"D! Just let him go!" Brian laughed.

"But he said--"

"Do you really think Ana's going to let him get that far?" Brian asked honestly.

Howie stopped by the door, hearing Nick's car peel out of the driveway. "No, she won't."

"If anything, you can attack the boy in his sleep with whip cream and honey or something," AJ vollunteered.

"Ew, that sounded kinky," Melicia wrinkled her nose in distaste.

"Or you just play the Gremlins movie while he's sleeping," Brian chuckled.

"He's STILL scared of those things?" she asked.

"Definitely, kill the lights, put on the movie, he'll never even think of Ana again," Brian confirmed.

"Ooh, you should do that, Uncle Howie!"

"I'll think about it," Howie answered, glancing around the room once more. He couldn't wait for Melicia to show Ana the beautiful room. He believed that Ana would want to stay with them forever once she saw the love and beauty they created for her.

"Well, while you're thinking, did Ana tell you when she's getting discharged?" Kevin asked, watching Howie gather a small present and set it on the satin comforter.

"Tomorrow morning, bright and early."

"Bright and early?" Melicia laughed, knowing Ana wouldn't be amused with the discharge. She'd probably sleep through the entire process.

"Yeah, I know. Are you coming with me, Mella?"

"Do you want me to come with you? Or do you want to do the whole pick up process alone?" Melicia asked.

Howie's face blanked for a moment. "Say what?"

Melicia laughed, "Are you having anything for her when she gets home? Do you have anything planned?"

"Oh! Yeah, I do have something planned. But I'll wait for that until after you show her the room."

"What do you have planned?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out if Ana tells you. It's a surprise."

"I'll have the guys block you, because they want to know, too."

Howie looked at the guys wearliy. "You won't block me... will you?"

"Melicia's really cute when she's so determined..." Kevin trailed.

Melicia grinned triumphantly as she looked at Howie. "You've gotta tell me, Uncle Howie! Please?"

"It's nothing big..." Howie trailed.

"But it has to be REALLY romantic knowing you!" Melicia squealed.

"Yeah, you're not called Sweet D. for nothing, man!" AJ added.

"You see the small box on her bed? That's the surprise. There you go, I told you! Now let's get going to the hospital--" Howie headed towards the door.

"Bullshit!" Melicia cried, grabbing her uncle's arm.

"Whoa!" He stumbled backwards. "What, Mella?"

"You've got to have something better planned that just a box. Please, Uncle Howie? You don't have to tell me what's in the box, I'll find out from Ana if I have to, but at least tell me what you're planning for the night. You always include gifts and a night of something on dates... And since Ana is special to you, we know you got the hook up of the house."

"I've been planning a night like this for awhile, but now since she's in a wheelchair, I've had to tweak it a little bit," Howie sighed, knowing when to give in. "I was going to do all this on the beach tonight, but now it's mainly in her room... roses, candles, music... all that kind of stuff. Once it gets dark out, I wanted to carry her out onto the beach and give her the presents in the box."

"Are you serious?" Melicia cooed with favor.

"Of course I am."

"Uncle Howie, Ana's going to love that so much."

Howie smiled, giving Melicia a hug. "Thanks for the approval."

"You are definitely perfect for her, you know? She told me last night that she was happy she had you, because you made her feel wanted and loved. She needed that so much. There was only so much that me as a best friend could do... But you're going to do so much more," Melicia enthused, kissing her uncle's cheek.

"She told you that?" Howie asked.

"Yeah, she can be quite a girl when she lets those emotions leak."

"I wish she would let them leak a little more often," he sighed, digging in his jeans for car keys. "Are y'all ready to go?"

"You're actually letting us visit the girl?" Brian asked wide-eyed. All the boys had been so active in decorating the room, that none had time to visit with Ana. AJ had popped his head in once when he came to pick up Melicia from the room, but that was it.

"Why wouldn't I? She's going to be a part of the Backstreet Family now."

"Well, just, we haven't visited her in all this time. What makes you think that she's going to open her door to us? We're still pretty much strangers around her," Brian explained.

"Because I've opened my door to her friends, and I know she will for you guys."

"Technically...you've opened her hospital door to her friends, Uncle Howie," Melicia teased.

"You're a funny girl, Mella." Howie rolled his eyes.

"She thinks you guys are funny, so c'mon!" Melicia declared, pushing Kevin and Brian out of the room. Howie gave his niece a grateful look, brushing a kiss on her forehead, and followed the boys downstairs. Melicia grinned wryly, wrapping her arms around AJ's neck.

"You sure know how to clear a room, Babe," AJ smiled back.

"I'm good at that," she answered, gently resting her sore arm against his shoulders. The doctor had recommended that she lose the sling and slowly start to adapt. So far, Melicia was recovering with great speed. She even had a flare for showing off her gunshot and surgical wounds as if she were some kind of hero.

"You are," he leaned down and kissed her. "Are we going to the hospital right away or do you want to stay behind for a little bit?"

"What do you want to do?"

"Well..." he started to kiss her neck. "It's been awhile since we've had any alone time..."

"Yes..." Melicia whispered.

"So...we can take advantage of the time right now...or when Howie claims private time with Ana... We could go to my house...and play house," AJ murmured against her skin.

"C-Can we do both?" Melicia's voice trembled as she felt AJ's lips travel to the front of her throat.

"Yeah, if you call Ana and explain you want alone time with your wonderful boyfriend."

"If you keep kissing my neck like this I'll melt into a puddle before I can call her."

"Okay, fine," AJ sulked playfully, releasing her. The dark glimmer in his eyes made Melicia's heart flutter with anticipation. AJ knew the right words, the right moves, and the right reasons to make her feel whole. "I'll tell your uncle that we're going to finish up at the house..."

Melicia leaned in and kissed him deeply. "I'll call Ana right now, just hurry back."

*~*~*

"You are pretty fantastic at getting rid of everyone so you can have private time with me in the hospital room," Ana teased softly as she watched Howie push the mixture of boys out the door quickly. Ana shifted carefully in her bed, allowing some weight on her casted arm as she carefully pulled her hips upward to sit in the bed. She was antsy to get out of the bed and away from the dreary hospital. She knew that she would be stuck in a wheelchair for several weeks, but it was better than being stuck in the hospital till she could get crutches.

"It's a talent," Howie chuckled as he walked back to her bed. "Anxious to be getting out of here tomorrow?"

"More than you realize. I keep dreaming about the ocean, it's so ridiculous, because I know there's no way that I'm getting my butt out on the ocean for months..." Ana groaned, pushing away the last of her homework.

"You'll be able to go out there before you know it," he promised, leaning in to kiss her.

"I guess so," she answered, accepting the kiss as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Good things come to those who wait."

"I'd rather be kissed than listen to proverbs that make no sense in the real world," Ana teased, allowing her fingers to trace down Howie's cheek. She smiled as his warm chocolate eyes twinkled with amusement. She loved having him near, even if he drove her crazy at points.

"At least I didn't say the Spanish Proverb 'You cannot make pancakes without breaking eggs'."

"Baby, you just said it."

"I did, didn't I?" He chuckled, watching Ana's eyes sparkle with humor and annoyance. "Sorry, had to do it."

"Can you bring my boys back in here?" Ana replied teasingly.

"Nope! This is my alone time with Ana," he grinned, kissing her again. "No boys in here except for me."

"Boy? And here I thought I was looking at a man!" Ana countered dramatically.

"You're funny," Howie rolled his eyes. "You know what I meant!"

"I know and I still think you're cute regardless."

"Thank you," he replied as she kissed him.

"You get so energetic when you come to see me, huh? I know you do, because your eyes flicker in the lighting. Then there's this special smile that you have, like you only do it for me," Ana murmured softly, changing the subject as she allowed her hands to drift through his soft curls.

"That's because it is for you and will always be for you, Sweetheart. You give me so much life when we're together, it's amazing. You just make the world stop turning..." Howie replied, cupping Ana's cheek. "Like we're the only ones on Earth."

"An Adam and Eve kind of thing, only I have the fashionable hospital gown on with my butt hanging to the wind?" Ana teased softly, allowing her lips to gently graze over his forehead.

Howie smiled as their lips met for a kiss. "You look sexy in that gown."

"If you think I look sexy in this gown, then you need your head checked."

"Well, once you become a doctor you can check it out, okay?"

"I'm not going to be a Psychatrist, I want to be a Pediatrician," Ana contradicted with a laugh, allowing her fingers to trace objects on Howie's shoulder as he gently cuddled against her in the small hospital bed. "And, if you think these gowns are so sexy, maybe I should cancel the bikini order that you decided on and just stock up on these babies."

"Nooo! I want those bikini's, too," he whined, pouting.

"But I thought you liked my butt hanging in the wind instead of covered up by fabric."

"Bikini's are better."

"Then I'm burning the hospital gown."

Howie bit his lip for a moment. "Okay, the gown goes."

"Thank you for the wise decision," Ana stated, rolling her eyes. She hated hospital gowns with a deadly passion. She couldn't wait to get boxers and a t-shirt on her body. She just wanted to maintain her sanity and sleep till her father decided to grace her with his presence.

"You'll be in your boxers and t-shirt soon enough," Howie promised, almost reading her thoughts through her cloudy blue-green orbs.

"Yeah? You think that cute male nurse will help me into them before I get discharged?"

Howie furled his eyebrows. "What male nurse?"

"The one that gave me my bed bath the other day..."

"You mean a MALE nurse gave my girlfriend a bed bath? What's his name, I'm going to kick his ass so hard--"

"Howie!" Ana sighed, grasping his chin within her delicate hand. She made his eyes lock with her own, the contrast apparant in the reflections of their eyes. "He helped me and it was his job. None of the other nurses could do it. He gave me the warm wash cloth, draped a bath blanket over me, and let me do everything I could. The only thing he saw pretty much was my back and my legs."

"I'm sorry, Ana. I just... I'm scared you'll find someone younger than me and decide to--"

"Kick you to the curb faster than Anna Nicole Smith's husband croaked?" Ana kidded, trying to get him to laugh.

A smile cracked on his face, finally chuckling. "Yeah, something like that."

"Well, don't worry, I don't have life insurance on your ass yet," Ana answered, pulling him down for a kiss. She searched his eyes when their lips parted for a brief moment. "I don't want anyone else but you. I don't care what your age is, because you don't care what my age is. Younger guys, namely Nick, are jerks that chase anything with boobs. I'd rather have something that's going to last a lifetime."

"You and I are going to last a lifetime and beyond that," Howie whispered. "I knew it right when I saw you."

"You just liked my wet, white tank top."

"That was just a bonus," he smiled. "You're more than a wet, white tank top."

"Yeah, I have big boobs and killer legs when a string bikini is applied," Ana laughed softly, resting her forehead gently against his.

"You could wear a huge t-shirt and you would look amazing."

"Yeah, we already tried that," she agreed. She smiled faintly, allowing herself to merely curl into Howie's protective arms. "I tell you what. How about you help me into my boxers and t-shirt tomorrow, I sign the forms to get me discharged at seven in the morning, then I go home and crash on the couch for the entire day to sleep?"

"You can sleep all day, but you have to be awake for dinner and everything, okay?" He ran a hand through her hair, kissing the top of her head.

"Dinner and everything?"

"Yeah, dinner."

"What the Hell is everything, though? If I'm awake for everything, I'll never get any sleep."

"I just meant being awake for dinner, that's all."

"I'm not hungry most of the time, I'll just sleep."

"If you try to sleep through dinner, Mella will drive you bugshit until you come and eat with us."

"I can withstand her torture."

"Yeah, but if you don't get up, she'll start whining to me and I'll go crazy."

"That would be funny," Ana murmured with a sly smile.

"Haha, not really." Howie rolled his eyes, kissing her.

"How about you just crash with me tomorrow and save us the trouble?"

He nodded. "Sounds good to me."

"You know the best part about going home?"

"What?"

"I don't have to sleep with the damn immobilizer strapped to my leg. I'm allowed to take it off at night as long as I prop it up, but it has to go right back on in the morning."

Howie smiled as he rested his hands on her hips. "Why didn't you tell me that sooner?"

"Because I just had an MRI today to make sure that the pins, plates, and rods were all adhering to the bone and that nothing was displaced... Then the doctor told me after that. Why?"

"Just curious," he kissed her again.

"Curious as to what?"

"I thought it was something you had known for awhile."

"Why do you care so much about the immobilizer?"

"I don't, you keep asking me questions about me asking questions about it."

Ana rolled her eyes, slightly confused. "You were just probably hoping for sex or something."

"I didn't think what we did was considered sex."

"Then what was it considered?"

"Two people who love each other sharing a connection no one else could feel. I thought it was making love."

"It is making love," Ana agreed softly, considering his definition.

"And that's all I will ever think of it as."

"We can make love if we're gentle about it... As long as there isn't tremendous pressure on my thigh or back..." Ana trailed softly, obviously missing that unique part of their relationship. She loved to be cuddled warmly against his side, snuggled beneath the blankets.

"I will always be careful, you know that. I don't want to do anything to hurt you," Howie whispered, resting his forehead against hers. He longed to have Ana in his arms again, their bare skins touching.

"I missed cuddling next to you afterwards," she admitted, closing her eyes.

"So did I, Baby. It's been lonely without you at night," he whispered, holding her close to him.

"Promise me we will sometime after I'm discharged?"

"I promise."

"I love making love with you," she replied with a soft laugh.

"And I love that you love making love with me," he answered, confusing himself again.

"You're hopeless sometimes," Ana declared with a giggle, watching the fuzziness cloud Howie's dark eyes.

"I know," he frowned a little. "Thing is... this kind of stuff is genetic."

"The kids are doomed!"

Howie laughed as he kissed her. "They definitely are."

"I meant AJ and Clicky's kids," Ana teased.

He raised an eyebrow. "Who ever said I'm letting those two go that far?"

"Because I know you better than that."

"Yeah, you're right. Either way, the kids are doomed."

"Either way? Are you implying that we're having children?"

"Well, are you implying that we won't?"

"I implied nothing."

"Well, I wasn't trying to imply anything, either. I was just saying that--"

"I want to have a big family," Ana confided, interupting his rambling.

"Really? You do?" Howie asked with a smile. He had been wanting the same thing once he found the right woman.

"Yeah, I don't want my kids to be alone for the rest of their lives. I want to be a great Momma and I want them to have a great Dad... And I want them to love each other. Five kids would suite me fine in all honesty."

"And you will be the best Momma for all of our kids," he promised.

"All our kids?" she repeated with a geniune smile.

"Yup," he leaned in and kissed him. "All five of them."

"You'll be a terrific Dad, too."

"From what I've been told lately, I hope I will be."

"What have you been told lately?"

"That I'm a great parent with Mella and that I will be with my own kids."

"Whoever's telling you that is telling the truth. Clicky's a lot different from when she first came into school. You did good things with her and I bet your sister is really thankful for that. You're a great parent and you're going to grow a little bit each day to perfect your skills."

Howie smiled again, taking her hand into his. "Thank you, Ana."

"Don't thank me. You did it all yourself."

"You helped though, whether you realize it or not. You were there for Melicia and me. Without you, we both would have crumbled a long time ago," Howie explained.

Ana was about to reply, but there was a gentle knock on her door. She glanced over to see Nick pop is head into the room with an impish grin. She rolled her eyes as Howie's hands instinctively curled tightly around her body. "Guess your Ana-alone time ran out," Ana whispered toward Howie as the boys piled back in with sodas.

"Yeah, but that's just for now. Wait until I get you home with me," he smiled, kissing her.

"You dead-bolting your doors?" Ana asked curiously.

"I'll triple dead-bolt it if I need to."

"I'll bring the duct tape, too," she decided, causing Howie to laugh.

*~*~*

"Do you know what I really want to do, Alex?" Melicia asked excitedly as they crashed on the couch. AJ was happily popping pieces of popcorn into his mouth as Melicia propped her feet into his lap. They had just returned from visiting Ana for a few hours, and then returned home. Howie had gone straight to bed and called Ana. She had several tests later that night to make sure that everything was in order for her to be discharged. Melicia knew that Howie was eager to finalize his plans for tomorrow evening when Ana was discharged. Melicia couldn't be happier for her uncle and was even more thrilled that her and AJ had the living room to themselves.

"You want to..." AJ squinted his eyes in thought. "swim naked in the ocean!"

"Um...no, but good guess, Sweetie."

"Skydiving?"

"No, that's even farther away then the swimming naked guess."

"Well, I can't read your mind."

"Well, I'll give you one more guess."

"Go to a haunted house?"

"You're not good at guessing things, are you?"

"I don't even have a hint, you're just making it difficult."

"You just want me to tell you?"

"Please!"

"The girls from school called me the other day. They were talking about Prom coming up. I want to go to that. I think once Ana gets onto crutches or something...then we could do a double... I just think Prom would be a lot of fun going with someone I love, you know?" Melicia explained shyly.

AJ smiled softly as he pulled Melicia into his lap. "Baby, are you asking me to go to Prom with you?"

"Well, yeah. I mean, I know you weren't able to go to yours, so I thought you would like to with me."

"I think it'll be fun."

A squeal escaped Melicia's lips as she gave him a kiss. "It will be fun, I promise."

"We'll do the whole nine yards. Fancy dinner, beautiful dress for you, sweet-ass tux for me, limo, you'll be a princess for the night," AJ promised, running his fingers through her dark curls. He was actually excited to go to a prom.

"You make me feel like a princess everyday," she smiled.

"Then we'll just buy you a tiara so everyone else knows what kind of princess you are," he teased softly.

"Can I really wear one Prom Night?" she asked, her eyes sparkling with excitement. "With a long, flowy dress and everything?"

"Baby, that's your department. You wear whatever you want."

"Okay. Fair enough," she agreed, her fingers gently tracing under AJ's chin and over his lips.

"Are you going to plan to go out with all the girls? Like one of those grand dinner date things? Because we could get a couple couples and ride in the limo with them... That's popular, right?"

Melicia laughed a little, nodding. "Yes, that's how high school kids do Prom these days, you old man."

"I didn't know!" AJ defended with a whine, sulking. "I just wanted you to be happy with those frilly girls."

"Frilly girls?" Melicia laughed, "Ana calls them the Beemer Babes."

"Frilly Girls, Beemer Babes, whatever. The girls you hang out with," AJ chuckled. "Prom is your night, and I just want you to be happy and remember it."

"You're a big sweetheart... And if you loved me lots... you would talk Ana into going," Melicia replied sweetly, batting her long, dark eyelashes.

"You want me to convince Surfer Girl to go to Prom? Where girls wear dresses and put on makeup?"

"Yeah, make a bet with her or something. Make her lose the bet and go to Prom in a dress and stuff! She'll never take me serious if I ask her to go and I really want her there! Uncle Howie would love it, too. Please?!" Melicia whined.

"But--" he looked into her pleading eyes and all the fight left him. "Oh, alright. But I'm only doing this because I love you lots, as you said it."

"She'd be tons better to go with! Better than the Beemer Babes! You know you love hanging out with Ana!"

"I know I do. I don't know what kind of bet I could do... I would say pool, but that would be hard for her being on crutches and stuff."

"You'll think of something!" Melicia chirped. "I'll talk to her about it, but you might have to deliver the blow."

"I deliver the blow and she may kill me."

"She won't kill you. Bruise you, yes, but not kill."

"That's so much encouragement, Sweetheart," AJ groaned, resting his head on the back of the couch and looked up at the ceiling.

"I love you a lot," Melicia replied, kissing his outstretched neck.

He shuddered at the feathery kisses, looking back down at her. "I love you more."

"That may be true, but I'm the better kisser."

"Oh, really?" he raised an eyebrow. "You think so?"

"Nope. I know so."

"Well, we might have to make some bets on this, Baby," AJ growled with excitement, pushing Melicia's back into the couch. He straddled her hips, leaning down to deliver deep kisses to her shoulder.

"What does the winner recieve?" she whispered, her body already trembling a little from AJ's kisses on her shoulder, which were trailing up to her neck.

"Hmmm..." AJ breathed on her skin.

Melicia couldn't stop the shiver that went through her, and knew AJ felt it. She had a feeling she was going to lose the bet already.

"I'm thinking that...the winner gets a full body massage by the other...and the loser has to wear a garmet picked by the winner, no matter what," AJ decided with a sly grin.

"It's a bet... but the massager gets to use whatever they want during that time," Melicia added, grinning as well.

"No dildos, please," AJ whined.

"Ew, gross!" she groaned, rolling her eyes. "Why use those when I can always get something SO much better?"

"What's better?"

In response, Melicia's hand trailed down to the waist of his jeans and yanked hard. "It's right in there."

"H-ey!" AJ yelped in surprise.

"You asked me and I showed you," she replied softly, grinning.

"Easy with the boys though," he whined.

"You act like they're made of glass or something," she rolled her eyes playfully.

"They're gentle creatures, Baby."

"Hey, you've been rough with the twins," Melicia indicated towards her chest. "I don't object to it."

"Cheech and Chong can take the beating," AJ snickered.

"You did not just name them," she groaned. "Please tell me you didn't."

"I like the names Cheech and Chong..."

"How about you keep those names for any new dogs you're going to buy, okay Babe?" Melicia switcthed places with him so she was straddling his hips. She leaned down and started to kiss his neck, letting her hair trail against his skin again, knowing it drove him crazy.

"But I'd like the twins to have names," he answered, allowing his hands to trail up her sides, knowing that he'd be damned if she won the bet.

"You can give them names, but it won't be Cheech and Chong," she mumbled against his skin, kissing and licking various points. She felt his hands on her sides under her shirt, but wouldn't let him beat her.

"What about Cia and Mia?"

"Where did you get those names?"

"Melicia... Well... Cia's at the end of your name and then take the 'M' from the beginning and add the 'ia' at the end. Bam! Twins have names!"

Melicia chuckled, stopping her kisses for a moment and looked into his eyes. "You certainly are creative, Alex. No wonder you're a singer and songwriter."

"Yeah, don't flatter me. How about we go up to the bedroom to finish the final preps for the bet?" AJ suggestive seductively, leaning up to trail his lips against the side of her face.

"S-sounds good to me," she stuttered lightly, getting off his hips.

"I'm going to win," he laughed.

"Are not!"

AJ grinned as he wrapped his arms around her waist, tugging her toward the stairs. AJ could't be more content as they argued who was better at kissing. It was little moments in their relationship that made him want her more and more. He just laughed at himself as they continued to bicker. They entered her room, preparing for the battle of the ages.
Chapter 35 by Starry Eyes
A/N: Hey, guys! We're so sorry! It's been forever since we updated! Well, fear not, for the newest chapter is here! Read, enjoy and review! ~*Stephanie and Anastacia*~




"Pierce...woah...alright..." Ana yelped painfully as Pierce helped her out of the hospital bed into her old wheelchair. Pierce held her right side steady as she shifted all her weight onto her left side, hopping gently toward the chair. She had signed all the paperwork and was finally allowed to leave after a barrage of questions and information given by the doctors and nurses. The cast on her arm would be removed in four weeks, then she would transfer onto crutches for at least a month till her femur completely healed. Till then, Ana would have to depend on her friends for help in ambulation. Ana didn't really think about the possibilities as she eased her already exhausted body into the wheelchair with Pierce by her side. Howie was late and Ana figured that he just wouldn't show. Pierce had been there early and offered to take her to his house since no one else had shown. Ana thought it was the best choice, because her father would be calling soon and would rather hear Pierce in the background than anyone. "Thanks for coming, Pier. I know you've missed a lot of school for me... And can I tell you that I owe you the world for helping me get dressed?"

"You don't owe me anything except wear those nice little bikini's during the summer, okay?" Pierce chuckled, kissing her cheek. "Are you ready to go?"

"I'm ready to go and never come back," Ana answered, adjusting the large immobilizer strapped to her right leg.

"Alright, let's get rolling," he started to push Ana out the door when a figure blocked them.

"I signed all the damn papers, I swear!" Ana blurted in surprise.

"I know you did, Baby. It's just me," Howie laughed, coming into view. He had flowers in one hand and a stuffed Orca in the other.

"I thought you weren't coming," Ana answered honestly, glancing back to Pierce with question.

"I'm sorry about being late, had some things to do before coming here. I thought I would be on time."

"It's not a big deal. I was just going to go home with Pier."

"Everyone is waiting for you at my house and I think Mel would kill m if I came back without you."

"Everyone?"

"The guys, Mella and my family."

"Your family?" Ana squeaked out in surprise, hearing Pierce chuckle behind her. He took a moment to converse with Howie as Ana stayed silent, agreeing for Pierce to place all of Ana's gifts in the back of Howie's car. Pierce excused himself, immediately taking care of the business. Ana just stared at Howie with shock, actually fearing going to his house. "You didn't need to invite everyone. I'm tired and your family... I mean, it's your family, Howie..."

"And they wanted to come and visit you. It's that so bad? They really care about you, and they know how much I love you. My mom already considers you like a daughter. They know you're going to be tired, so it's only going to be for a little bit."

"It's not bad, but it scares me. It's really sweet that they care about me and know that you love me... I get so shy, though... And, even if they care about me, it doesn't mean that they accept the relationship and I can't stand them hating me or anything," Ana sighed, staring at the cast on her arm.

"But they do accept our relationship, that's the thing. None of them hate you and never will," Howie kneeled down and made her look into his eyes.

"I get really shy," Ana whispered again, her cheeks flushing red.

"I know you do, and it's okay," he leaned in and kissed her.

The corner of Ana's lips curved into her impish smile. Howie was too good to be true at times and she knew she was lucky. She ran her fingers through his thick curls, pulling him in for another kiss. "So, what did you have to do before you came here?"

"Well, your presents for one thing, and I was making sure we had everything for dinner tonight," Howie smiled.

"Presents?" Ana groaned.

"I know you don't like getting presents, but... too bad," he teased, kissing her again.

"You give me heart attacks."

"Good heart attacks or bad ones?"

"Good," she answered with a sly laugh. "Are you going to spend the whole day with me?"

"The WHOLE day. You might get sick of me," he chuckled.

"I would never get sick of seeing you for the entire day. I'm in love and need you more than you realize."

"I think I can realize that, because I feel the same way."

"Feel the same way, huh?" she asked with a gentle smile as Howie started to wheel her toward the elevators.

"Definitely the same way," he agreed, kissing the top of her head.

"I get the cast off in three weeks... So, I'll only be in this stupid wheelchair for that long, and then I can start doing stuff for myself on crutches, okay?" Ana decided as Howie hit the button to carry them to the first floor. Once they reached it, Pierce kissed Ana and said his goodbyes, promising to come visit her later in the evening with the rest of the pack.

"Okay, but you better let me help you at times."

"Help me how?"

"Just with little things. Like if you need to get upstairs, grabbing something in the cupboard, getting into the car. Things like that."

"And what if I don't?"

"Then I'll bring you up to the bedroom and torture you by kissing your neck."

"Torture that's also pleasure? Oh yeah, I'll be sure to listen now," Ana quipped sarcastically as Howie wheeled her to his favorite car. She was surprised to see all her items nestled neatly in the backseat by Pierce. She smiled softly.

"I warned ya, I'll leave it at that," he chuckled as they stopped at the passenger door.

"You planning on doing something else, too?"

"Put my good side toward the car, then I can pull myself carefully into the car, but I need you...forget it, just turn me to my good side," Ana suggested.

"Are you sure that's all I need to do?" He asked as he turned her to her good side.

"If I fall down and break my leg again, no big deal, I have a hospital right over there," Ana murmured.

Howie frowned a little at the dry joke. "Tell me what I can do to make sure you don't fall."

"Pick me up yourself?" she guessed, knowing it was impossible with the heavy immobilzer. She wouldn't submit anyone to that kind of torture.

"Okay, on the count of three," Howie bent down and wrapped his arms around her waist. "One--"

"Howie, you're going to hurt yourself!"

"Two--"

"Howie, don't!" Ana cried in shock as Howie easily lifted her into his arms. She winced a little at the abrupt action pulling on her fresh scars and beaten back. Immediately, the heavy immobilizer strapped to her injured femur started to droop. Ana yelped in pain, "Howie! Don't let that drop down!"

Howie placed one arm under her legs and gently placed her in the car. He ran a hand through his hair. "Did I hurt you too much?"

"No, you just surprised me with the initial rush..." Ana wheezed, gently massaging her leg over the immobilizer. She grasped control of her voice, smiling gently at Howie as she reached for his hand, "I would have hurt either way, Babe. Thank you though. It was a lot easier than me hoisting myself up. The immobilizer part was just a folly. Don't worry okay? I just didn't want you to hurt yourself."

"Well, don't worry about me hurting myself, Sweetheart. I just wanted to make sure you didn't hurt yourself worse by doing it all without my help," Howie was panting slightly as he leaned down and kissed her. "Are you ready to get out of here?"

"I did hurt you, didn't I? I may be light, but not that immobilizer..." Ana frowned.

"No, no, I'm okay. Don't worry about it."

"But, Howie---"

She was silenced with another kiss. "Don't worry. I'm fine. Let's get going back to the house, Mella and everyone else are excited to see you."

"Are you going to keep hefting me up?"

"You mean helping you get in and out of your wheelchair? Yes."

"What about upstairs?"

"We'll get you up there."

"I can take the immobilizer off if you can hoist me without it?"

"Yeah, that can work. See? We can always figure out what to do when a problem arises," Howie replied, closing the door after she got her legs inside. He placed her wheelchair in the trunk and went to the dirver's side. He revved up the engine and sped to the house.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1230