Misfit by RockAngel
Summary: Please r/r. Have pictures. A girl grows up thinking that she'll never fit in. But soon she finds out that she's not alone and also finds out more about her late mother.
Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Genres: Action, Drama, Humor, Suspense, Fantasy, Adventure, Supernatural
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 7654 Read: 6384 Published: 01/12/04 Updated: 03/23/04

1. Making Friends and New Life by RockAngel

2. You Are So Fire Wood When I Get My Hands On You! by RockAngel

3. They Think You're Her. by RockAngel

4. I Don't Like those Looks. by RockAngel

Making Friends and New Life by RockAngel
Chapter 01 * Making Friends and a New Life

A girl with jet-black hair, wearing mostly black with some scarlet, was standing on the edge of a cliff out of breath. She was being chased and was trapped. She was looking for a way out. But the only way was down.



"Nowhere to go and no one to turn to. You're about to see your mother." Said a woman. The girl only turned around, running and dove off the cliff.

Earlier the same girl had light brown hair and was wearing glasses. Behind those glasses she had the bluest eyes anyone ever seen. No one had eyes like her. The girl's eyes had a blue silver look, like her irises were made of real silver. She made her way through the train station pushing the trolley with her luggage on it. She looked down at her ticket.

"Platform 6." She said to herself. She found the train. It didn't look like the other trains but every one else did not seem to notice this. She walked past parents saying good bye to their children.

"I don't want to hear you are causing trouble." A woman said to her 11-year-old son who looked like he didn't belong there. He had sun bleached hair, very tan skin and when he said 'I won't mom' he didn't sound English like his mother but American.

When the girl got on the train she found an empty compartment near the back. She sat by the open window and watched families say their good byes. It was almost time to go when a family of 13 (7 kids and 6 parents), which was made up of mostly red heads, (there were a few blondes and brunets) were saying good bye to each other.

"Nic, look there's your lover boy." A 15-year-old boy said to his twin sister. The girl only blushed and punched him then dragged her trunk to the train. But the boy her brother was talking about spotted her and waved to her. She smiled and waved timidly but ended up tripping over her own two feet. A few of her family members started laughing at her. She got up shooting them a dirty look and walked away in a huff. Her twin and two others followed her.

"Classic." Said the younger girl. The other three followed them on the train. In a little while, the girl saw a few of them pass her compartment with their friends.

The train finally moved out of the station. She found herself looking out the window day dreaming about what it was going to be like in school. It was not like a normal school like she had been going to. But a few months ago she found out she was a half witch. She was happy to know that there was a reason for all the strange stuff that happen to her.

She remembers one time when she was little and a bully was pushing her around. He pushed her so hard that she hit her head off the ground and had blacked out. When she woke up her head was healed. Later, she was told that shortly after she was knocked out, she had gotten back up, looked at him and he just fell to the ground like some invisible person was beating him up. After that her classmates called her Witch Girl. Now she won't have to go through that again.

She was soon snapped out of her daydream by a tapping near the doorway. It was two of the girls from the red haired family (well one of them was the other was blond) and a very black haired girl.

"Hey, is it OK if we sit with you?" The red haired girl asked in an Irish accent.

"Sure, go right ahead." They walked in with their trunks.

"My name is Caroline Mackenzie," She had red hair that was past her waist, fair skin and green eyes. "And this is my cousin, Lizzy Mackenzie." She had blond hair that was a little below her shoulder, tan skin and blue eyes. "And my friend Sarah Flanagan." She had jet-black hair that was to her shoulders, violet eyes, was very thin and her skin was so fair that she almost was white

"Nice to meet you. I'm Gwen Thorn." They talked for most of the trip. Gwen found out a lot of things about them. Lizzy was from America while Sarah and Caroline was from Ireland. How Nicole and Sean Fox, Caroline and Lizzy's two older cousins were in their 5th year and they were both house parents. Maria, Lizzy's older sister, was born the same year as Nicole and Sean and she was in her 4th year. Margaret, Nicole and Sean's younger sister, was in her 3rd year. They said she was a nice person at first but some times she's mean if she doesn't like you. She's always beats up on her younger brother Cornealius (who goes by his last name, Fox.) and his best friend he made last year there, Rupert. Fox and Rupert were now in their 2nd years. They also said that Margaret only gets along with a few people, namely, Tom and Val.

Sarah was an only child. Her father was a wizard and a part of the Council of the Other Realm. Her mother was a Banshee, which explained her jet-black hair, violet eyes, thin figure and white complexion.

It was dark outside of the train when they decided to put on their uniforms. The uniforms were all very plain. They were black jumpers with a white patch over the right side of the chest and a white tie belt. Worn under the jumper was a button up blouse with a black tie. They wore gray knee high shocks with black dress shoes.

It was a few minutes later when a girl with bright unnaturally red hair, with blue streaks, stuck her head in to the compartment. Gwen recognized her as one of Caroline and Lizzy's family members, the one who tripped.

"Hey guys." She was from America like Lizzy. "I came to see if you were in your uniforms but I see you already are." She said.

"Hey Nicole." Sarah, Caroline and Lizzy said at the same time. Nicole spotted Gwen.

"I see you three have a new victim." She said. They all sneered at her.

"Nicole this is Gwen Thorn." Caroline said. "Gwen this is our cousin Nicole Fox."

"Thorn, that name sounds familiar." Nicole said studying Gwen carefully. Then anther red head stuck his head in next to Nicole. It was her twin brother. He had caramel red hair (his real color and hers too) with blue streaks also.

"Nic, Margaret is trying to kill Fox and Rupert again." He said.

"We're not even at school yet and she's trying to kill them. What'd they do to her?"

"It's Margaret, does she need a reason to kill them."

"Yeah that's right. I'm not going to help them. We have to finish our rounds." She was about to leave then stopped. "Oh yeah the lights are going to go out for a second. Don't worry about it, it always happens. See ya all later." She gave them a smile and wink before leaving.

"Why do the lights go out?" Gwen asked.

"That's the way you find out which house you're in." Sarah said.

"And to get on the right track to get to the Academy." Caroline added.

"What are the houses?"

"Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite and Apollo." Sarah said.

"What house do you think you'll end up in?"

"In our family, we all have end up in Artemis House." Caroline said. "But every one in our family thought for sure that Margaret would end up in Ares."

"She is evil and vindictive enough." Sarah said. The door to their compartment burst opened with two red head boys (one had dark red and the other had an orange tint to his hair). They closed the door and quickly yanked the shades closed.

"Do you think she saw us come in here?" Asked the lighter haired boy.

"Not sure. Now would you shut up before she finds us?"

"Hello Fox, Hello Rupert." Lizzy said. Both boys turned around and smiled at them weakly. "What did you two do to her now?"

"We didn't do…" The door burst opened again. The boys whirled around to look at the angry dark red headed girl in the doorway with a brown haired boy standing behind her.

"Sorry I tried to stop her." Said the boy.

"YOU TWO ARE GOING TO DIE!" The girl yelled.

"Meg, we can explain." Said the dark haired one. "You see what happened is…"

"It was all him!" Yelled the other one. "It was all Fox's idea. He made me do it. Please don't hurt me!" He then threw himself to the seat between Sarah and Caroline.

"Traitor!" Fox said glaring at Rupert.

"She's your sister. It's okay if you die at her hand." Meg took a step towards him. Caroline darted out of her seat to get between them.



"Meg listen. What ever Fox did he only did to get a rise out of you." Meg looked coldly at her younger brother not even bothering to look down at her cousin. "Basically he wanted you to react this way."

"I didn't want her to try and…" Caroline elbowed Fox before he could finish.

"Shut up I'm trying to save you arse here." She hissed at him. "So what do you say let him live this time." Finally Meg's cold stare moved down to Caroline.

"OK." She grunted. She turned away and walked out of the door. Tom watched her walk away before looking back at them.

"You two." He pointed at Rupert and Fox. "Next time I'm not going to bother saving you. If she kills you it your own bloody fault." He then walked away. Fox kicked Rupert in the leg.

"Bloody hell, what was that for?" Rupert rubbed his leg as Fox sat down between Lizzy and Gwen.

"That's for being a rat." Fox looked at Gwen from head to toe. "You're new."

"I'm Gwen Thorn."

"Oh hi I'm Fox. That thing over there," Pointing at his friend across form him. "Is Rupert."

"Hi." Rupert said still rubbing his leg. Then as Nicole had said the lights went out. They heard a few screams in another compartment. Gwen felt a chill come over her. Before long the lights came back on.

"Why is it that girls scream?" Fox asked as if nothing happened.

"I think those were the same girls from last year." Rupert added.

"Didn't you guys feel that?" Gwen asked.

"That chill?" Fox said. "That happens all the time."

"That was normal?" Caroline asked.

"Yeah. Didn't Nicole come in here to tell you?"

"She did but only to tell us the lights were going out." Lizzy said.

"She can be such a dizes sometimes. I love her but she forgets things once in a while." Gwen realized that Sarah's uniform had changed. The patch wasn't blank any more, her tie and belt were purple and there was a strip of purple on the top of her socks. Gwen quickly looked down at her uniform. Her belt and tie were scarlet. Then she looked at Lizzy and Caroline's too and they were the same as hers.

"Hey, congratulation! You're in Artemis." Gwen looked up at Fox. "We should head back to our compartment we'll be there real soon. See ya all later." Rupert and Fox left the compartment.

"And now you have almost met our whole family." Lizzy said. "You only have to meet my sister and that will be everyone."

They got to the train station. The girls got their trunks off the train. They were told to put their trunks under the sign of the house they were in. After they did that they had to go find the 5th year house parents, who just happened to be Sean and Nicole. They were both sanding at the gate entrance.

"Artemis's Midgets over here!" Sean yelled. Nicole turned around with an annoyed look on her face. "What?"

"Don't call them that!" Nicole said to him.

"They are midgets. I'm telling you we were never that short our first year."

"Yes we were."

"Yeah, you were. You still are!" Nicole only rolled her eyes and turned back round to the first years.

"Artemis First Years over here!" Nicole called. They stood there until they were sure all the first years were there. "Hello first years welcome to Athena Academy. I'm Nicole Fox."

"I'm Sean Fox." In a very dull voice like he really wanted to get to the school so he could go straight to sleep.

"We're your house parents. So you can come to us for help or advice."

"My first piece of advice to you all is go to her or the 4 other house parents."

"Sean!" Nicole snapped.

"What? Do you honestly want them taking advice from me?" Nicole only stared at him. "OKAY!" Nicole turned her attention back to the first years.

"Yes, we are open to you any time."

"Unless I'm asleep. If you wake me up, I'LL KILL YOU!" Nicole shot him another dirty look.

"Any way! Since it's your first year you all get to walk to the school in the dark. Don't worry after this year you won't have to do it again."

"Unless you get our sucky jobs your 5th year." Nicole elbowed him.

"Now lets go. Sean bring up the rear." She walked out the gate Sean let the first years go past him.

"I'm always bringing up the rear." He mumbled to himself as the first years passed him.

They walked through the village that was only lit by the street lamps. They came to the end of the village. It was pitch black they couldn't see a thing except for a castle in the distance. That had to be the school. Nicole held out her hand. A little light appeared in the palm of her hand before flouting into the air. Sean had done the same thing in the back of the group. The group of first years walked through the spooky darkness. All of a sudden there was a scream and a dark haired girl ran into Gwen. There was laughing of boys behind them (even Sean). The girl turned to them and yelled at the boys, one of them being the American boy, in Spanish.

"Jerks!" Lizzy Yelled at them. The others rolled their eyes and continued to walk.

"Sorry for running into you." The girl said to Gwen in a thick accent.

"It's OK. You had a reason."

"Yeah. My brother and his friends thought it would be funny to scare me. He knows I'm afraid of the dark. I mean you can't see what's out there." She said. "I'm Jimena Estes-Lupe."

"I'm Gwen Thorn, and she's Caroline Mackenzie and her cousin Lizzy Mackenzie."

"Yeah well my brother's the dark haired one back there." She motioned her head back. "His name is Carlos. Do any of you have bothers?"

"I have a younger bother." Caroline said.

"Then you know what it's like."

"Yeah but I at lest get away from him for a few years before he starts coming here."

"Your lucky." They got to the school. They took a quick tour around the castle before headings to the north entrance, which leads out to the housing they were going to be living in. The house was four stories and made of brick. They looked like they were built a few 100 years after the school. Nicole and Sean led them into common room. There were two sets of stairs on either side of the room. The stairs on the left led up to the girl's dorm and the stairs on the right side led to the boy's dorms. Nicole and Sean split the group up to led them up to their dorms.

Gwen, Lizzy, Caroline and Jimena all got a room together along with a girl Jimena met on the train. Her name was Kara Hanna. Gwen went to bed her thoughts coming back to her thought she had earlier. 'I'm in a new place with a new life.'
You Are So Fire Wood When I Get My Hands On You! by RockAngel
Chapter 02 * You Are So Fire Wood When I Get My Hands On You!

Gwen woke suddenly. She picked up her glasses from the night stand and put them on so she could see what time it was. Today was their first day of school and Gwen was more excited about school then every one else.

"Time to get up!" She said but only got 4 groans in response. Then there was a knock on at their door. Gwen got up to go open the door behind which Nicole was dressed ready for today's lessons.

"Hey! Is everyone up?" And again the response was 4 groans. "C'mon you guys get up and get dressed or you'll be late for breakfast. So see you 5 down stairs." She left as Caroline, Lizzy, Kara and Jimena had finally got out of bed. Once they were all dressed they went down stairs to the common room where Nicole and Sean were having one of their discussions.

"He's a royal big head!" Yelled Sean.

"He's only doing his job!" Nicole replied.

"You only say that cause you're in love with him!"

"I am not in love with him! Don't you have a few idiots to get?" Sean turned to the boys' staircase.

"They better not make me late for breakfast!" He yelled. Nicole shook her head.

"What were you and Sean arguing about this time?" Lizzy asked.

"Stanton O' Brien." Maria, Lizzy's older sister, said from the sofa. "He asked Nicole and Sean to stay behind to make sure that everyone gets to breakfast. Nicole agreed."

"You know Sean, he hates missing a meal." Nicole said as three sets of stomping feet that came down the boys' staircase.

"You little maggots get yourselves down to the dinning hall now!" Rupert and Fox came running out of the staircase followed by Sean.

"I'm your brother you can trust me being alone here!" Fox yelled back at Sean.

"That's exactly why I can't trust you alone!" Sean picked up one of his books. Fox and Rupert both made a break for the door before Sean could throw it at them, Fox and Rupert were gone. Sean stormed out the door after them, grumbling to himself.

After breakfast the Artemis first years had their first class which was broomstick flying. The class was also with Aphrodite so Sarah was going to be there. Gwen took her broomstick out of the Artemis broomstick cupboard. She was nervous she had never flown before. Her feet have never left the ground.

Someone bumped into her causing her glasses to fall off.

"Oh I'm sorry. Let me get those for you." She couldn't see who was talking to her. "Here you go." Gwen took them and put them on. The person was the American boy from the train station.

"Thank you."

"Your welcome. My name is Hunter Neilis." He told her as he got his broom from the cupboard.

"Gwen Thorn."

"Don't you share a room with Carlos's sister?"

"Yeah that's right." They started walking to the flying field.

"So, have you flown before?"

"No, this will be my first time." She said nervously. "What about you?"

"Since I was 4. My mother wishes I haven't." He told her. "She wished I'd study then go skate boarding."

"The magical world knows of skate boarding?" Gwen asked.

"No, they have no idea what roller blades are. I'm half wizard. My mom is a witch and my dad is a normal. So I take it you're full normal."

"No, my mum was a witch."

"You never flown! I mean one of your parents were from a magical family you should have at least flown once."

"She died when I was almost a year old." Hunter became speechless. "I didn't know I was a witch until a few months ago."

"I'm sorry about bringing up your mother."

"It's OK." She gave him a smile to reassure him she was all right about it. "I never knew my mother. My father never wanted to tell me anything about her."

"Why?"

"He's not very fond of my mother. I guess she told him she was a witch he doesn't like it."

"Wow! You have the life my mother would dream of writing about. You don't mind if I don't tell my mother about you. Cause if I do she will latch on to like a leech and never let go. I mean it's bad enough she writes about me."

"Is she a published author?"

"Yeah she is in both the magical world and the normal world. You've probably heard of them. 'Lunar Eclipse'."

"Oh my god I love those books. And they're about you?"

"Based on me. I mean it's embarrassing when your friends know it's you! She is so going to pay for my therapy when I'm older." Gwen giggled at him. "But she also writes books based on other people like you know our house parents Nicole and Sean Fox. Well they come form a great magical family. She's written about their family's history."

"I've read that too. But it's in the fiction section of the book store."

"In the normal world its fiction but in our world their non fiction."

"So all those books about witches and wizards are true."

"Not really. But those Harry Potter books are pretty close to our world." They finally made it out to the field. Gwen spouted her friends. They waved for her to come over.

"Oh I have to go, it was nice talking with you." Gwen said.

"Yeah you too." She walked up to Caroline, Lizzy, Kara, Jimena and Sarah.

"Where did you get to, young lady?" Lizzy asked in a serious voice with one hand on her hip and the other holding her broom. "One minute your walking with us to get our brooms and the next minute you're gone. And now we see you walking to class with some strange boy."

"I left a book in the dining hall. I went back to get it. And he's not just some strange boy. His name is Hunter Neilis."

"He looks strange to me." Kara said. "In a cute kind of way."

"Unless you find that type cute." Caroline added.

"Welcome to flying first years." Said their broomstick-flying teacher, Mr. Merl. He instructed them on the rules and on the safety precautions of flying. "Now that we're past all that, on to the lesson itself. Now I want you all to hold your brooms out like this." He said as he held out his broom. "Make sure it's not up too high. You have to be able to get on." Everyone did what he or she was told. "Now tell your broom to hover." He looked at his broom. "Hover." And he let go of his broom. Gwen told her broom to hover, she felt it get light in her grip. When she let go it stayed where she had held it. Gwen looked happily at the others to see how they were doing. Most every one got it after a couple of tries except for a few. Finally, everyone got their brooms to hover except Sarah. Her broom fell to the ground. She looked around to see if anyone saw before she picked it up. She did it again but it still fell to the ground.

"Stop it, you useless piece of wood." She said as she picked up her broom.

"This is a prime example of why you should treat your broom with respect." Caroline whispered to Gwen. Sarah heard her and shot her a glare.

"Stop embarrassing me you bundle of twigs." Then the broom stated to jerk in her hand then it shot out of her hand. "Hey get back here you twig brain!" The class watched her broom zoom around the school grounds. At one point they all lost sight of it. "Where did that bloody…" Sarah was unable to finish, her broom came out from behind her and knocking her off her feet before going back into the air. Sarah sat up. She never looked more like a banshee until that very moment. Her eyes had gone all black and her teeth became razor sharp. "You are so fire wood when I get my hands on you!" She yelled as she shook her fist at her broom. Everyone laughed at this scene.



"She is always so abusive to her broom." Caroline said shaking her head.

After flying was potion, which turned into Gwen's lest favorite class. Jasmine Doyle played favorites in the class because it was Artemis and her own old house was Ares. She would grill anyone from Artemis about potions. After class Kara said that one of the first years name Marigold was Ms. Doyle's niece. When the bell finally rang for lunch Gwen quickly packed up her things and rushed out with Caroline, Lizzy, Jimena and Kara. The last class of the day was History with Apollo house. It was not an interesting class. She tried to pay attention but it was hard with Lizzy, Caroline, Jimena and Kara were passing her notes.

Once the class let out they headed back to the house. A few fifth years had already started on their work from classes that day. The 5 first year girls sat down around the coffee table, which had the sofa and 4 armchairs around it.

"Can you believe Ms. Doyle gave us so much work our first day?" Kara said as she put her books on the coffee table.

"I know, a 4 page essay on the difference between newt eyes and toad eyes." Caroline said as she pulled out her parchment, quills and ink.

"Did anyone get the notes during History?" Asked Lizzy.

"I took notes if you want to copy them." Gwen said as she pulled out two sheets of parchment with writing all over them.

"You actually took notes?" Kara said stunned.

"Not really, I took the notes from the book. He was taking it straight from there." Then a tall boy, Nicole and Sean's age with long dirty blond hair and dark brown eyes, entered the room with an annoyed look.

"Hey Zac," Lizzy said "so where's Sean?"

"He got to close to the edge of the balcony and I just gave him a little push." He turned to Nicole who was sitting at a table by the window working on an essay for one of her classes. "How the hell did your twin get to be a house parent?"

"Hello Zachary." Nicole said without looking up from her paper.

"Hi, how in Merlin's name did your brother, Sean, become a house parent?"

"I don't know. What is he doing now?"

"He came in to our room last night going 'I'm your all-knowing and all-powerful ruler. You will all bow down to me!' I wanted to smother him with a pillow."

"You know Sean, he gets a little power hungry when he's given some kind of control." Nicole finally looked up from her paper at him. "Did you train at all this summer?" Meg with a few of her friend entered the common room.

"I trained." One of Meg's friends burst out laughing. She had long curly dark brown hair, gray eyes and olive color skin.

"If you call laying around the house training. Yeah, he trained this summer." Zac glared at her.

"Shut up Val." He said through his teeth. He looked back at Nicole. "OK maybe not as much as you wanted me to. Let's not get off topic here. A LITTLE!" He yelled. "That one day last year when you were sick and Sean took over for you. He ran our training session as if it was a boot camp. He's flippin power hungry."

"Who's power hungry?" Sean asked when he entered the common room. Zac looked at him with a crazed look.

"You're power hungry, sir."

"Zac man, what did I tell you? Call me your master." Zac stood there staring at Sean.

"You make my head hurt." He said as he walked over to one of the armchairs, by the 5 first year girls, and collapse in to it. Sean sat in the armchair next to him.

"Look at this." Everyone looked at Val. She was looking at newspaper.

"Another article about your play boy brother." Meg said as she looked at Zac.

"Unbelievably no." She looked at her brother. "There is actually something more interesting then his love life."

"What is it then?" Lizzy said.

"Artemis Thorn has a daughter."

"What?!" Everyone said at the same time.

"Wh…who is she?" Gwen stammered.

"She was the last descendant of one of the founders of the Academy." Nicole said looking up from her essay. "She died about 10 years ago after she stopped Cal." Gwen felt someone was looking at her. She looked at Val who was holding the newspaper and was looking at her the same way Nicole did that day on the train. Gwen soon realizes that the others were looking at her the same way too. She became uneasy by them looking at her.

"Are you all right, Gwen?" Jimena asked.

"Yeah I'm fine." She started putting her stuff in her bag. "I think I'm going to take a nap before dinner. Come and get me when it's time." She got up from the table and went up stairs with all eyes on her.

They Think You're Her. by RockAngel
Chapter 03 * They Think You're Her.

The rest of the week went by with the whole school talking about Artemis's daughter. The whole school watched waiting for her to do something. She did not understand why.

Gwen wanted to know more about who Cal is. She decided to go down to the library before class to see if she could find anything on him.

When she came down to the common room that Friday morning, Fox was singing off key with an acoustic guitar. Meg watched him from one of the chairs by the fireplace with murder in her eyes. Sean sat next to her with a very similar look. Gwen went over to the table by the window to pack up her things for the day and to watch what would happen next.

"Hurt him," Meg said to Sean. "Now!"

"I would but Nic won't let me."

"Do something. Do any thing. Just make him stop." Sean got up and went up to his little annoying brother.

"Fox, can I see that?" He asked. Fox handed him the guitar. Sean took it in both hands and started smashing it in to the floor. Fox only stood there watching him without reaction to this. He acted as if Sean did this all the time.



"Ha," Fox said when Sean was finished smashing the guitar. "Jokes on you, that was Zac's." Sean looked at the rubble on the floor.

"Yeah, well, he deserves it." Zac entered the common room from the boys' staircase. Sean picked up the mangled guitar and handed it to Zac. "Marry Christmas."

"SEAN!" Zac yelled. He held it out in front of him and it reassembled itself back to its original shape. "Do you have any idea how hard it is to tune this after you've smashed it up?"

"Yeah well stop letting Fox borrow it then I won't have to smash it."

"I've heard of the Irish having firey tempers but you really need to get yours checked." Zac headed back up stairs.

"For your information I have had it checked and it's perfectly normal!" Sean yelled up stairs. "Oh no you didn't just do that?! I will snap that finger off!" He ran up the stairs taking them two at a time. "I will kick your flabby butt if you keep that up!"

"I'm not fat! OW!" Gwen shook her head as she pulled her bag on to her shoulder.

"Fox," Gwen said to him "If the others are wondering where I am tell them I'm at the library."

"Don't spend to much time in the library. I don't want you turning into Nicole."

"What's so bad about that?"

"Nothing, just the school can only handle one Nicole."

"I'll promise not to start acting like her till she's gone." Gwen went out the door and headed to the library. She walked down the rows of books. She ran her hand along the spines of the books reading each title out load as she passed them.

"Good morning." Gwen heard behind her. She turned around. It was Hunter.

"Good morning." She said to him before going back to her search.

"I heard Fox telling your friends you were here."

"Is that why you're here?"

"To see if you wanted any company and I also have breakfast for you too." He said. "I'd give it to you now, but food's not allowed in the library. Yeah, so what are you looking for?"

"A book on Cal."

"Why do you want to know about him?"

"I don't know. I have this feeling that's telling me to find out about him."

"Let me help." Hunter looked at the shelves across from them. "Here something." He pulled out a big book. "Famous Evil Wizards of the Past Thousand Years."

"Thanks." She said as she took the book from him. She flipped through it she found a long chapter on Cal. She looked at her watch. "We should get to class." When they got out to the hall Hunter dug into his school bag.

"Here." He handed her an orange.

"Thanks again." They walked quietly down the hall, 5 fourth years were whispering to one another and looking at Gwen as they pasted.

"They think you're her." Hunter said.

"Who?"

"Artemis's kid."

"Why would they think that?"

"One, your last name unless it's your father's last…"

"Richmen."

"What?"

"My father's last name is Richmen. He never bothered to change my last name."

"Oh, two, you look almost exactly like her. Everyone knows what she looked like and your eyes are like hers."

"Anyone can have these kind of eyes."

"Not really. It's a Thorn family trait." They were now outside the door to their class.

"Still isn't enough proof. But there's no way to prove I really am her daughter, now is there." She went in the class and sat down with Kara and Jimena.

Defense was the last class of the day. She had this class earlier in the week. She had enjoyed it even if it was an Ares house class. The class taught them how to protect themselves with magic and without. The teacher was a young woman in her late 20's. Her name was Ana Hazel. When she went to school she had been in Artemis but unlike Doyle, she did not play favorites but there were times where she wanted to.

In defense on Fridays, the fifth years' defense teams would be working with the first years. They also did not have to wear their school uniform but clothes they could move in. When the first years entered the large training room, they saw 16 fifth years dressed in what looked like uniforms for a team. The uniforms were mostly black the only color on them was a bit on the armor they had on and on the girls' skirts. Half of them had scarlet armor while the other half had dark blue armor. In the fifth years in the scarlet were Nicole, Sean, Zac and other fifth years that Gwen had seen around the common room.

"20 bucks says he pokes himself with his sword." Zac said to Ashley Star, who was the a shortest of the team with dark brown hair (with pink streaks), about Sean who was trying to do a trick with his sword.

"Zac, you can never bet on something everyone knows is going to happen." Just as she finished Sean's hand slipped from the handle of the sword and it hit him in the shoulder.

"OW!"

"See." She told him. "He's a big child. He can't have any thing sharp or he'll end up hurting himself."

"Can you two stop talking about me like I'm not here?" Sean said in a very child like way. Ashley patted him on the shoulder, which caused him to flinch in pain.



When Ms. Hazel got there, she summarized what they talked about in class, and also introduced the captains of the houses defense team, who were Nicole and Blaze Doyle for Ares. They were not going to get into any thing that day. Nicole and Blaze did get up and talk about the team stuff, which Gwen found interesting.

"There is a few minutes left of class. I want to tell you that next Friday we are going to start with try outs for the defense teams, so you better be here and dress comfortably too." The bell rang and everyone filed out.

"I can't wait for next week." Kara said. "That will be the highlight of my week."

"Everyone in our family has gotten on the team." Caroline said.

"I hope I get on. It seems exciting." Gwen said.

"I bet you get on and become captain." Lizzy said.

"That would be nice."

"That's a laugh." They heard laughing behind them. They turned around to see it was Marigold and her friends. "Whose heard of a captain with glasses?" She walked away before any of them could say a thing to her.

"Don't listen to her." Caroline said. "She doesn't know what she's talking about."

"But she's right thought. Whose heard of a captain with glasses?"

*****
There is a comic that goes with the guitar scene.
Page 01: http://www.climbing-the-walls.com/Misfitcomic1.jpg
Page 02: http://www.climbing-the-walls.com/Misfitcomic2.jpg
I Don't Like those Looks. by RockAngel
Chapter 04 * I Don't Like those Looks.

Gwen walked down the hallway by herself. The others had ran off somewhere right after class, they said they had to get a "special" book from the library. So this left Gwen to her own thoughts. She walked around the school thinking about what Marigold said. 'Whose heard of a captain with glasses?' This bugged her so much. She can do any thing that Marigold can do. Gwen's been in gymnastics and fencing. She can do those things that Nicole talked about in class. But then she remembered that if her glasses fell off or get broken she is going to be as blind as a bat. 'Yeah that's some captain.' She thought to herself. Then someone calling her name interrupting her thoughts. She turned around and saw her roommates running at her with big smiles on their faces.

"What are you all smiling about?" She asked.

"Caroline found a potion that will help you to see without your glasses." Jimena said.

"Really!"

"Yeah." Caroline said while holding up an old ratty book. "I had to sneak it out of the section we're not aloud in."

"Also, we owe Sarah." Lizzy said.

"She got detention because of us." Kara added. Gwen looked at each one of their smiling faces. Then it occurred to Gwen that they were the ones who were going to make the potion, which was a bad thing.

"I don't like those looks." She said as she backed away from them. They grabbed her and dragged her to their dorm. Caroline hid the book in her bag as they went through the common room.

Soon Gwen found herself in her dorm room watching the four girls prepare to make the potion. Lizzy started a fire in the fireplace as Caroline wrote down the ingredients for the potion.

"You know I really don't want to be on the team that bad." Gwen said as she inched her way to the door. Kara blocked her.

"What are you so worried about?" She asked.

"Not living to see my 12th birthday."

"Why do you have such little faith in us?" Lizzy asked as she threw more kindling into the flames.

"You're just as bad at potions as I am."

"That's only because Doyle makes us nervous." Said Caroline from the floor. "Don't worry." She finished copying the ingredients. "This potion is going to be a piece of cake." She got up. "Jimena can you go get these?"

"Sí, Señorita." Jimena said as she took the list and left. In a matter of minutes Jimena came back with the ingredients and Lizzy had the fire going. Caroline sat on the floor next to the fireplace with the book in her lap. In a few hours it got dark out. Gwen was siting at the window, listening to Caroline stirring the potion, mumbling to herself once in a while and to Kara, Lizzy and Jimena's friendly game of poker. (Jimena would start cursing at them in Spanish every so often.) Gwen was brought back from her thoughts when she heard an 'OOPS' from Caroline. The poker game stopped and they looked at her as well as Gwen.



"What is it?" Lizzy asked.

"It's nothing." She laughed nervously. "Nothing to worry about."

"Nothing to worry about, nothing to worry about!" Gwen yelled. "Easy for you to say. You're not the one who has to drink that." Gwen got up from her seat to look in to the small cauldron. "Is it suppose to look like that?"

"Yes." Caroline picked up the book to look at it much closely. "Maybe." She looked into the cauldron. "Does that look pinkish gray?"

"It looks like a greenish gray."

"Shush. Now, go sit down, your potion is almost ready." Gwen walked back to the window and sat down. In five minutes later, Caroline was holding a glass one third of the way full of the greenish gray solution in front of her. The smell of it was burning her nostrils. "You have to drink this all until it is gone." Gwen took the glass and looked at it. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She brought the glass to her lips. The solution tasted sour and it burned her throat as it went down. Her eyes started to burn and water.

"That was horrible!" She took off her glasses to rub her eyes.

"Do you think it's working?" Kara asked.

"I'm not sure, I'm getting over the taste." Then she started to feel lightheaded. "Am I su…" She fell to the floor in to a dead faint. The four girls rushed to her.

"You killed her!" Kara said in shock.

Gwen came to two minutes later. The sour taste was still in her mouth and her head was spinning.

"Gwen, are you all right?" Asked one of her friends. She opened her eyes. Four blurry figures stood over her.

"Can you see?" Asked another.

"No."

"Look what you did! You made her blind!"

"I'm not blind."

"Oh, here." One of them put her glasses back on.

"What happened?" Gwen asked when she was able to see Caroline.

"I might have added a bit too much swamp water." Caroline said.

"Is that why you said 'OOPS'." Gwen asked as she got up.

"Yeah." There was a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" Lizzy asked.

"It's Nicole." The girls looked around the room, their potion stuff was all over the floor.

"Hold on!" Caroline yelled all five girls ran around the room hiding the things in their beds and trunks and also putting out the fire.

"What about that?" Kara asked pointing at the cauldron by the fire.

"Put it behind the door." Gwen said. "We'll get rid of it tonight." Kara put it behind the door before she opened it.

"Yes. How may I help you?" She said uneasy to Nicole. She looked around at the nervous girls.



"Are you going to dinner?" She asked like she knew they were up to something.

"Yeah!" They said at the same time.

"OK, so you should come down then." Looking at them suspiciously as she left. The girls filed out of the room making sure no one was outside the room.

"Gwen," Kara said from behind her. "I never notice this but your roots look really dark."
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=1761