Count Down to the End by AJsSweety
Summary: She's left him days before their wedding. He thought they'd be together forever. But can he find a way to move on or will he just end it all.
Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 2651 Read: 3164 Published: 07/02/05 Updated: 07/03/05
Chapter 3 by AJsSweety
He could clearly hear the radio playing in the background. Tears filled his eyes as the tune started and he could hear Steve Warner singing Two tear drops. Something about that song seemed to bring new tears to his cheeks. He knew that Danielle was happy but something wasn’t right and wondered what was wrong. He’d been sitting in the apartment alone for nearly three hours. And there he sat wondering what he’d done, why hadn’t he done it. He could hear the part of the song that said of a tear of sorrow and born of rejection. He wondered if that was what he was feeling right then. He wondered if he could find his way from the dark tunnel that it felt like he had gone into. He held the gun closer to his head and closed his eyes. He heard the sound of a key in the lock and looked to see Danielle standing there looking at him, her eyes wide with fear as she saw the gun pressed to his temple.
“ Jason?” She asked in disbelief that he was even sitting there with his gun.
“ What?” He asked thinking she was returning to take more of her things. But he could see she’d yet to move from her spot in the doorway. Her face full of fear and terror.
“ Jason what are you doing?” She asked walking into the room. She slowly moved towards him.
“ Ending the pain.” He said as tears rolled down his cheeks. She could see he was hurting because of the breaking off of the wedding.
“ Please don’t.” She said touching his arm. Jason jerked away from her and held the gun to his head. His hand shook as he turned up his dark eyes to look into hers. He could see that she was afraid of what he was about to do.
“ Why not? You don’t love me anymore.” He spat at her. His words hurt her as much as hers had hurt him. Danielle needed time, the time it had been for her to rush from the apartment. She’d left him standing there calling her name, asking why. Yet all she had done was gotten into her car and left him. She had turned the corner and looked in her rear view mirror and could tell that he wasn’t following her. Stopping several blocks away she let the tears run down her cheeks. She did love him, but she felt that their love had grown cold, he was always working and never home and the mention of the wedding only started a fight. Fighting seemed to be the only thing they had done lately. She wasn’t even sure he loved her any more. She felt that calling it off before he could was better for them both. She had just never expected him to feel this way.

“ Please Jason talk to me.” Danielle said sitting down across from him. His hands still on the gun as his dark eyes followed her own. She could see that he wasn’t sure of what to do, but she wanted him to talk her.
“ About what?”
“ About all of this about us. Please.”
“ You’ve made it perfectly clear that there isn’t an us.” Jason said looking at her.
“ I made it clear the wedding was off. I never said there was no us. Jason what happened to us?”
“ You let our wedding take over your life. You barely noticed I was around so when I picked up the second job you didn’t even seem to notice.” Jason said letting the gun rest on the table, with his hand still on it.
“ I guess I did get caught up in the wedding. I am sorry about that. But a wedding is a big deal.”
“ All I wanted was something that would make you my wife, to be in my life. Something that let me declare my love for you to the entire world. But you let it become more than that.” Jason said. Danielle looked at him with disbelief, could he be feeling this bad? Could she have let everything get so out of hand that she stopped noticing him.
“ God Jason I never noticed. I am so sorry.” She said pleading with him.
“ You didn’t see anything. All you wanted was the perfect dress, the perfect place the perfect everything. The only thing I wanted was you.” Jason said.
“ I know that now. Please forgive me. Please understand that I wanted you as well but I wasn’t seeing it that way. We can get married. We can just do it without the big party and just be together.” She said touching his hand. She could feel his hand tense on the gun that was under it.
‘ Your just saying this because you don’t want my death on your conscious.”
“ No, please. I love you.” Danielle said looking into his eyes. Her eyes pleading with his to understand. She wanted to see how she’d felt these last few hours. How she felt that leaving him was breaking her heart as much as it was breaking his. She wanted him to see that her love for him was true and firm. She hated leaving him but she needed to, she needed to find herself before the plans, the people and the hurt took over. Leaving him was a mistake that now she knew would have haunted her for the rest of her life. What would have happened had she been just a few minuets later. She looked around the mess that once was their happy home, would she have found him dead there at the table or on the floor. Would she have found him before he’d died, or would it have been after he’d been dead a while, these thoughts ran through her mind like a race wondering what would have happened. Her own mind and heart blaming her for what had gone on there, the pain he’d felt and the hurt he’d felt and the anger that had been caused by the things that had been said by the two of them when she was leaving. She walked through the mess on the floor and turned up the radio and turned and faced him, her arm out stretched to him. Her face red from the tears that had threatened to fall if she didn’t hold him close. Jason stood leaving the gun on the table and moved into her waiting arms. She held him close as they danced slowly to the song that was playing on the radio, a song that was to be played at their very wedding. She held him as he started crying, their life there on the floor in shambles, had their life come to this? She wasn’t sure, but she knew that at this moment their lives had taken a different turn, that they were closer than they’d ever been, were truly in love.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=4415