A Mother's Tale by Jamelet
Summary: The truth will set you free but for this one mother looking for the truth behind her son's disappearance or murder be too much for her? Is she ready to find what the real truth is?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie, Group, Other
Genres: Drama, Suspense
Warnings: Violence, Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 74736 Read: 40435 Published: 08/06/05 Updated: 11/17/05

1. The Lost Absense by Jamelet

2. More Than Meets The Eye by Jamelet

3. Going Through The Motions by Jamelet

4. In-depth Data by Jamelet

5. Nothing But The Truth by Jamelet

6. Unsolved Issues by Jamelet

7. Changing Reality by Jamelet

8. Not Alone by Jamelet

9. He Said, She Said by Jamelet

10. One Door Opened by Jamelet

11. His Own Solace by Jamelet

12. Unspoken Words by Jamelet

13. Fallen Lies by Jamelet

14. Investigating No Truths by Jamelet

15. A Dead Man's Words by Jamelet

16. Sweet Tough Words by Jamelet

17. Dead Expressions by Jamelet

18. Just Another Face by Jamelet

19. Guilty Under Sole Circumstances by Jamelet

20. Dirty Little Secret by Jamelet

21. Too Much Into It by Jamelet

22. Pieces Falling Into Place by Jamelet

23. A Domino Effect by Jamelet

24. Trickling Effects by Jamelet

25. Caught Up by Jamelet

The Lost Absense by Jamelet
A Mother's Tale

~Chapter One- The Lost Absence

As far as she can remember, for the past forty-five years of her life she felt she had reached her goal in life. Happily content with her small family, she felt blessed, even lucky with where she was at the moment. She was content with where her life had taken her. She grew up in a middle working class and have never had to endure the serious case of financial struggles. However, she never thought herself higher than those out there. She consistently volunteered for various programs to help those of the needy and offered to give some money to hospital facilities that needed the financial sources for better programs and equipments. Having excelled in getting her master's in her late twenties, loss of time due to her early pregnancy at twenty, she looks back with a conscious thought, glad for the way things turned out. She didn't regret having a child so early at that time, most of her companions and friends already had started their family around the same time so it only seemed natural to her as well.

Sitting in the kitchen, a waft of syrup and chocolate evaded her nostrils for a moment, breaking her into a smile. Her dark coffee eyes watch intently as her eldest son of twenty five, playing with the logos with his four year old sister. Her son was sitting sprawled out with the bucket of logos before him, splattered across the wooden floor as her daughter giggles and watches with full interest.

"Boom! It all falls down!" Eliez squeaks out, intentionally knocking down the logo tower her brother created, as she claps with her chubby hands full of glee, her bright azure eyes glimmering in mischief as she attempts to tackles her brother.

Nick laughs and looks over at his mom who seemed to enjoy the small show. "See Eli! Mom caught you!"

Eliez gasps, stepping away from her brother, her little chubby legs peeked under the sunflower dress she was adorned in. "Na uh...I'm good see! You made me." She giggles again, passing her hand over her rosy cheeks. "Right mommy, I'm good. He did it." She stands firmly, her little hands balled into fist as if to make a point across to both of them.

Nick sits back propped on his elbows snickering as his little sister runs past him, her dark honeysuckle locks tied into a tight long ponytail that swayed with each of her movements. "Mom, I gotta head out shortly. I gotta meet up with Arianna later tonight, her parents are coming into town and she wants me to meet them finally."

"Oh really? Wow already? She must really like you then." Jasmine replies casually, watching her daughter run amuck through the scattered logos strewn around the living room suddenly.

Nick nods, a smile breaking into his young face. "Yeah...I think she could be the one you know."

Jasmine's face breaks into a happy stun, her mouth drops as she runs over to him hugging him. "Oh if your father could hear you now, this is great news!"

Nick's laugh burst into the air as he struggles to stand up against his mother's added weight, embracing her back. "Yeah I know about time huh? I just keep thinking about what dad would say to all this if he was here at the moment."

"Oh he would flip over in joy sweetie, you know he loves that girl and the thought of you two finally getting serious is great news."

"I know." Nick smiles, running a hand through his messy dark honey spikes. "Its that damn job he always have, keeping him away. He's always traveling around from hospitals to clinics when he's needed and I just wish for once he could take a few days off."

"You know as well I do that he wishes the same, but that doesn't work out that way. He's a surgeon sweetie and he wants to do his job right, it’s not his fault he gets called in at different time."

"Yeah I know that." Nick whispers out, a small smile crosses his face as Eliez skips around him giggling holding a doll up to him. He kneels down looking at the doll and smirks: "What is it Eli?"

"You leaving?" Eliez squeaks out, frowning. A small crease forms on her forehead as she gazes at her brother.

"Just about, why?"

"Give Molly a kiss when you go bye bye." Eliez holds out her cabbage patch doll to him.

Nick smirks and nods, kissing the doll's cheek and grabs Eliez covering her in kisses around her pretty round face. Squealing in glee, she shifts and struggles against her brother's kissing attacks. Jasmine watches her children and exhales happy, feeling like the day was just perfect. Even the weather outside gleamed in joy, the sunny skies broke into peace with its bright hazy yellow color, washing over the early afternoon.

Standing up, Nick hugs his mother and smiles. "K, I'll call ya later tonight and tell ya how it went. I'm hoping Ari's parents won't eat me alive."

Jasmine grins evilly at her son, "And why would they want to get you if you did nothing wrong..."

Nick snickers: "Things happen ma...you know how that goes." Laughing softly, he grabs his car keys and heads out of the door, stepping out in the nice suburban neighborhood and towards his black jaguar waiting in the parking lot. "Bye mom!" he calls out getting into the vehicle.

Smiling, Jasmine waves bye to her son, brushing back a strand of dark brown hair behind her ear. "Love you sweetie!"

Nick pulls out the driveway honking the horn in response and drives off, sticking a hand out the window waving to them bye. Jasmine holds her gaze at the vehicle until it disappeared down the street turning a corner. Feeling a tug on her white pants, she looks down to her see daughter smiling at her.

"Mommy...is Nick coming back here?"

"Not tonight baby."

Eliez nods and reaches for her mother's hand, both heading inside the house.
~*~

She bolts up in bed hearing the booming of the thunder roar into the dark velvet night sky. A slight shiver races down her spine as goose bumps cover her bare arms. She could hear Eliez screaming down the hallway and she quickly slides off the bed rushing to her daughter's bedside. Sprinting down the wooden floor, she swings open her daughter's door and rushes over to Eliez. "Ooh sweetie...shhh, its ok it’s just the rain baby. Nothing to be afraid of pumpkin." She cradles her crying daughter who's tears seemed endless as she sat up in bed cradling her cabbage patch. “Shhh...you're safe. That’s outside, you're inside here with me and nothing is going to get you ok." She whispers out to her, softly running a hand through her daughter's flaxen hair cradling her close to her heart. "Mommy is here, nothing will harm you."

Eliez quiets down, sniffing as she roughly wipes away her tears. "Mommy is Nick coming here now?" in her baby voice though many times her extended vocabulary surprised the family. As her husband would say, 'She's the genius in the family.'

Jasmine shakes her head, "No baby remember I told you, not tonight. He's with Arianna."

"Ooooohh." Eliez frowns and sniffs. "Mommy Nick should have stayed here..." She trails off gazing at the rushing raindrops running down the outside of her window panes.

"Aww, and daddy too." Jasmine sighs, kissing Eliez temple. "You get some sleep, its ok. The rain will leave and it'll be pretty in the morning."

Eliez smiles and lies back as Jasmine drapes the teddy bear blanket over her, kissing her cheek and quietly slipping out of the room. Eliez sighs and cuddles her doll Molly close to her chest, closing her eyes for some rest.
~*~

Jasmine quietly walks down the hallway reaching the master bedroom when a sudden pounding coming from her front door makes her jump in surprise. Gulping, she checks the time in the hallway clock and frowns. "Who's knocking at three thirty in the morning?" She whispers out, taking the stairs, going down it two at time as a cold mist of concern settled in her chest. Opening the front door, she looks at her son's friend, the neighbor who lives further down the block.

Narrowing her eyes she watches him as a cold inviting breeze rushes to her. "Damien what are you doing here? Its three in the morning."

"Sorry..." He gulps. "I tried to tell him...I told him to not do it...but it wasn't his fault." He chokes out, shivering and completely drenched with the ongoing downpour before them.

Jasmine frowns, feeling her heart race with each thought or processed idea that conjured within her. "What are you talking about?" She whispers out, looking down the road hoping to God that maybe her son's car will pull up or that she would get a call from him. She watches the young man curiously, his light eyes look down the road.

"He's not coming...he was in an accident..." The dark haired man begins to explain. "He just dropped off Ari and he called me when he was on his way back to his place."

Jasmine's frown deepens with the story as she listens intensely to each word said. "Don't tell me this news..." She shakily whispers out. "Don't tell me something bad."

A thunder boomed as lightening flashes above them. "I was on the phone with him when it happened...I told him to stop...to stop driving and pull over cause the rain was coming down hard, but he didn't listen...he wanted to reach his place and had no thought of stopping. I told him to stop...honestly I did. I heard everything...everything from the crash."

Jasmine blinks not wanting to believe the news told to her and lashes out at the young man. "Go home! Don't bring this to me! It's not true!"

Damien frowns and steps off her cement pathway. "I'm sorry....I'm so sorry." He chokes out, running off down the pathway back over to the sidewalk to get to his house.

Jasmine watches the figure of the man disappear seeing only a shadow through the dark night as she looks down the road hoping for her son to pull up but saw nothing but dark shadows and the lonely dark road before her.
Sniffing, she steps inside not wanting to believe any of the news. Until there was actual proof, that man’s words won’t bring her any burden. Closing the door behind her, she turns to see Eliez standing in her little purple gown holding her doll.

“He’s not coming home for long time?” Eliez whispers out sadly.

“No, no you don’t know that. He’ll be here in the morning and it’ll be nice and everything will be ok.”

Eliez frowns and shakes her head sadly hugging her mother and goes up the stairs to her bedroom. Jasmine exhales deeply, watching her daughter enter and later close her door upstairs before she made her way to the master bedroom.

She enters her room seeing her white curtains flutter in the cold breeze entering from the open window. Going over to close the window, she frowns knowing her windows weren’t open before hand or least from what she can recall. Brushing off the minor incident, she slides back under the cool covers of her bed and lets out a puff of air. Cradling her pillow, she rest her head on it and tries to close her eyes yet the plaguing thoughts of the young man’s words nagged at a small part of her. “He doesn’t know. It can’t be…” She murmurs out sleepily, shutting her eyes to get some sleep.

It was no more than an hour since she had tried to get some sleep when her phone rang loudly. Blinking and startled, she groans out reaching for the nightstand where the cordless phone is ringing. Pulling the black phone to her ear, she mumbles out a “Hello?”

“Hello this is officer Winterland calling from precinct 15 looking for a Mrs. Jasmine Loughlin Carter.”

Gulping down a lump forming in her throat she whispers out: “I’m she you’re speaking with.”

“Mrs. Carter…I think you should come down to the station now…its imperative you get here.”

“Why can’t you tell me here on the phone?” She whispers out dreading the news.

“Ma’am please I think you need to be here in person.”

“No…tell me here, I have a four year old daughter I can’t make it out there at the moment. Just tell me.”

The officer exhales closing his eyes as he whispers out: “Your son Nickolas Carter was involved in an accident. We found his…him… and need you to identify if that is indeed your son. I’m terribly sorry ma’am for this horrific news.”

For a moment, Jasmine seemed muted to the news. She didn’t want to or rather couldn’t believe that one moment her son was alive and well eager to start a new life and the next gone. Gone from her life and existence. She tries to pull herself together as she hears the officer in the other line whisper out a painstaking apology to the tragic news.


“Can you make it to the station ma’am?” He asks again, this time his voice a more gruff tone to emphasize his lack of emotions over the woman’s sudden loss.

“Yes…” Jasmine whispers out, her eyes focus on the still white curtains hoping for some form of answer that was against this. Her vision blurs slowly as she allows the news to seep into her. Yet in the back of her mind she had that hope, that hope that maybe it wasn’t her son’s body there but rather some unfortunate soul with similar structures. “Give me twenty minutes and I’ll be there. I have to have to wake up my daughter.” She whispers out monotone, the news chilled her and threw her into a mild daze as she clutches the phone tightly in her left hand.

“Alright. You take care and if you need someone to come pick you up I can send one of the boys from the station to get you if you feel that would be better. I don’t think it would be wise for you to come driving through this storm and with this news it would be wrong on my part.” Officer Winterland states, scribbling something on a memo pad.

“Yes…that sounds like a better idea.” She whispers out, her eyes transfixed on the storm banging on her glass pane windows, each rain drop falling furiously with each hit splattering hard against what it touches.

“Very well I’ll send over a young officer, he’ll come pick you and your little girl up then. What’s the address?”

“Ooohh ohh thank you…Its…its…” Jasmine gulps, closing her eyes to let the sorrow pass through before she chokes out her house address: “Its twenty five dash two on Oakland. We’ll be out in the front porch waiting for the ride.”

The officer nods: jotting it down and closes his memo pad. “I’ll send Dorough over shortly then. Again ma’am I’m terribly sorry for your loss, if that is your child’s body that is.”

Jasmine gulps and hangs up the phone, brushing off the few tears that leaked down her warm flushed face. “Why…why me? This has to be a mistake.” She whispers out in fright, struggling to stand up. Feeling weak kneed, she exits her room and rushes into her daughter’s room picking Eliez up in her arms.

Eliez cuddles close to her mother’s warmth and slowly opens her sleepy eyes. “Mommy I’m tired.” She whispers out yawning eyeing her mother. “You sad? You crying?” She whispers out innocently, her eyes growing big at the sight of the dry tears staining across her mother’s pale cheeks.

“Something bad?” She asks again, hoping her mother would talk already as she’s lead to her small hello kitty dresser. She watches her mother struggle to pull out a blue ruffle t-shirt from the dresser and her hands shake as she pulls off the small pajama gown off Eliez’s little body.

Eliez frowns, not understanding what could be the bother for her mother and whispers out, “You sad for Nick?”

Jasmine gulps, dropping Eliez’s blue t-shirt at the sound of that. “What did you just say?”

“Mommy, Nick is not sad. Why are you sad?”

“Because…I am ok. You get dressed someone is coming to take us the police station sweetie.” She tries to go around her daughter’s sudden comment.

Eliez gasps and pulls on the shirt, gulping. “Police?! Why? We good. Mommy I didn’t eat the cookie. I’m sorry. No police here!” She croaks out, shaking, her little hands quiver at the thought of being sent away for having a snack before dinner behind her mother’s back.

Jasmine smiles sadly, running a hand over her child’s flaxen’s locks, grabbing a brush to fix Eliez’s hair in a quick ponytail. “No. You’re not in trouble. The police just want to talk to us, that’s all.”

Eliez seemed complied with that answer and busily puts on some yellow shorts, the only sound was their soft breathing and the splattering of the rain drops outside striking the windows and house.

Eliez puts on her little sandals as she watches her mother hurry around her going back to her own room to get dressed.

Jasmine flings off the robe and throws off her pants and camisole, quickly putting on some jeans and an old navy blue jersey that her son outgrew a while back. Frowning at the shirt, she sniffs, rubbing her teary eyes at the thought that this could one of the only things she has left of her only son. “Don’t think that way. They’re all confused…they don’t have him. He’s not dead, he can’t be.” She nags at herself trying her best to hold herself together. Finding a small clip, she pins up her hair and leaving behind any of the makeup to apply. Stepping into flip flops, she heads down the stairs to get her house keys and calls out to her daughter: “Eli pumpkin, come down here honey. Its about time for us to go.”

Eliez quickly appears besides her mother as she clutches the doll close to her little self. “Mommy…I want daddy.”

“I know sweetie, you know he’s working hard for us. You’ll see him later.”

“Nick is sleeping mommy.” Eliez suddenly whispers out, her light sapphire orbs seemed transfixed at the rain drops sliding down the living room window.

Jasmine frowns at the statement and takes her daughter’s hand quickly stepping out to the front porch. Locking the door behind her, she waits patiently for the police car to arrive at their place.

Eliez softly begins singing a song that Nick taught her a while back: “Jesus loves the little children…all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white. They’re all precious in his sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.”

Jasmine exhales, listening to the song, a small smile curved her lips at the song recalling how she sung it to Nick all the time when he was a child himself.

After a few more minutes of waiting, Eliez blinks and waves in the darkness to something hiding in the dark. Jasmine narrows her eyes and shifts her eyes over to see the shadow of a man approaching them.

Eliez smiles, “Look mommy, Nick’s friend.” She states happily, tugging at her mother’s hand and lets go of it before Jasmine could grab her.

Jasmine watches her daughter bound over to the young man who was soaked and stepped out into the front porch light eyeing them. “Didn’t I tell you to go home? Why are you? Its late.”

“I know that. I just wanted to drop something off that’s all. I found this at my place and forgot to bring it to you. It’s…it’s a picture Nick left at my place. I thought you might want it.” Damien whispers out, holding out the photo, his dark hoodie drenched as he lifts up the hood to cover his already soaked head.

Eliez smiles, her soft eyes look over at the photograph as she takes his hand. “Nick’s not in that picture.”

Damien blinks at the girl’s comment and hands the photo to Jasmine who reluctantly takes it and shoves it into a jean pocket of hers without even looking at it.

“Aren’t you at least going to look at it?” Damien whispers out as the harsh car lights bathe them all suddenly from the arriving police car.

Damien gasps and eyes her, “You called the cops on me?!”

“No…don’t flatter yourself young man.”

Damien snorts and steps back hiding in the shadow as Eliez lets his hand go, walking over to her mother, her clothes slightly wet from the rain pouring down on them.

The car slowly parks in the pathway as the headlights flicker and beam brightly on them. Jasmine picks up Eliez and quickly heads over to the police car as a young man steps out of the driver’s seat eyeing them.

“Mrs. Carter I assume?” A darkly tan man asks, gazing at Jasmine.

Jasmine sniffs, nodding her head. “Yes…you the cop sent to take us to the station?”

The man nods, “Sure am. Hop in. You guys are drenched. I’m Dorough from precinct 15. Winterland sent me for you guys.”

Jasmine satisfied with the answer, gets in the passenger seat cuddling Eliez in her arms as she buckles up, looking out of the window to see the neighbor stay in the shadows watching them all.

The cop slides into the driver’s seat, tugging on his blue attire as he glances over at the two besides him. “What a wake up call. I heard what happened.” He whispers out over the soft humming of the car as he begins to back up the car, pulling away from the house.

Damien watches the police car disappear from his view and heads back to his place shaking his head.
~*~

Jasmine exhales softly, her eyes focus on the passing scenery whirling past her on the highway. She could feel Eliez’s nodding head close to sleep as she shifts in the seat.

The cop gazes over at her and clears his throat. “If you want to go to sleep its fine. I won’t bother you. I know it’s a rough night.”

“No…its fine. I’m not tired suddenly.” She whispers out sitting up adjusting her arms to accommodate Eliez’s sleeping body.

“Right of course you aren’t.” The officer states, “I’m Howie by the way. My name that is. You can call me that if you like, it feels less intimating that way I think.”

Jasmine nods and glances over at the young man smiling. He was quite attractive by appearance, his dark piercing coffee eyes accentuates his tan face as the attire he wore gave off a state of power yet alluring to the eye. “Very well Howie…did your other officer tell you exactly why I’m going there?”

“Kinda…not really sure on the details though.” Howie states, his eyes focused on the wet slick road before them. “Just that a call was made to you and I had to come get you.”

“Right...” Jasmine gulps, settling back in the passenger seat, the leather sticking to her hot flustered arms and back.

“I also know the morgue made a call to our office today.” Howie eyes her, biting his lower lip, wondering her reaction.

Jasmine simply gazed straight forward, no emotions crossed her facial features to give in to what she was thinking. She seemed lost in her own world, her thoughts trying to figure out what really is going on, the answers mocking her as question after question filled her thoughts so fast it felt like she was spinning around violently looking for answers that won’t come.

Howie clears his throat and slowly pulls up to the police station, parking in front of it as he unbuckles his belt getting out.

Jasmine quickly does the same as she slides out of the car holding her sleeping daughter in her arms.

“Just follow me inside, I’ll take you to Winterland. I think he has some questions to ask you.”

“Wait.” Jasmine whispers out stepping up to the young officer. “I don’t want to talk about this…to him at least. Is there anyway I can just go and do the ID already…please…” She chokes out stepping out of the rain into the front of the station.

Howie nods sadly, “Sure thing ma’am. I’ll make sure the others know not to patronize you. I understand completely.”

Jasmine gulps and nods, “Thank you.” She lets out a small smile, watching the officer walk to the back of the station to set things up for her.

Sighing softly, she looks around the quiet station, seeing most of the desks empty at this time. In the back of the station, she can see a few cops shuffle around paperwork and taking incoming calls quietly. Her eyes roam around the station as she nervously shakes her leg in anxiety. She didn’t want to be here, every part of her told her no, that the last she needed to see was what could be her child’s body. She didn’t want to see that, she couldn’t fathom the horror of seeing her first born gone from her, out of arm’s way. She struggles to close her eyes as tears begin to cover it. Images of her son invaded each memory. She can see Nick’s first steps, to his first day of school, to even his first date at fourteen with a girl that lived around the area. Each memory suppressed so many emotions. She wanted to hold onto these precious memories for what its worth and never let them go. That could be the only thing she has left that will forever last to her.
She shifts in her seat as footsteps approach her. She could hear a faint whisper, calling out her name.

“Mrs. Carter? Ma’am?”

Jasmine opens her eyes to see Howie standing before her.

“Its all ready. Just go straight to the back, the first door to your left is where Winterland is there waiting for you at the morgue…”

Jasmine gulps and stands up holding Eliez in her hands tightly. “Yes…thank you.”

“Welcome…I can stay here with your daughter. It’ll only take a few minutes anyway.” Howie whispers out concerned.

Jasmine gulps and nods, wiping the tears close to spilling out of her eyes. “Yes. I think that would be better.” She whispers out almost monotone, the truth so close to her, it was beginning to gnaw at her. She carefully hands him her sleeping daughter and breaks into a weak smile, following the given directions to reach the cold brazen morgue before her. Stepping into the steel room, her eyes graze over an open cabinet where a clothed body was lying on as an older gray haired man with thick glasses lean over the cloth body and turns to her.

“Mrs. Carter…”

“Yes…?” She chokes out, making her way over to him, her eyes glued on the clothed figure before her.

Mr. Winterland gazes over at her, nodding. “Morning…sorry for the circumstances. I’m the officer that called you. Winterland. Are you ready?” He whispers out, his hands clutch the white blanket draped over the body.

Jasmine gulps, nodding: her eyes glued to the body curiously and hope egging her on.

“Very well.” And he proceeds to pull the cloth off the corpse hidden beneath it. Jasmine holds her breath, her nerves at the breaking point as she gazes over at the sick white matted flesh and dry parch lips from the corpse. Gasping, she begins to feel faint as she cups her mouth. “Oh God…” She stumbles back and the last thing she recalls seeing before passing out was Winterland gasping at her direction.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
More Than Meets The Eye by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Two- More Than Meets The Eye

The soft murmurs filter the air around her as she shifts and rolls to her side ona small cot. Jasmine slowly opens her eyes and in the corner of her vision saw the shadow figures approach her whispering out something.

“She’s waking up.” The young officer whispers out, his dark eyes looking over her.

Mr. Winterland nods, adjusting the blanket on Jasmine. “Welcome back. You were out for quite a while.”

“Emmm ugh.” Jasmine mutters out, struggling to sit up as Howie gently helps her in the process.

“How…how long was I out?” Jasmine croaks out, the dryness in her throat made it nearly impossible to form the words and let alone speak.

“About a good fifteen minutes. We were getting concerned, but you’re up now so that’s good.” Howie whispers out, taking off his badge and putting it on a metal table behind him.

“Ohh…ok…” She scans around and gulps, looking around for Eliez. “Where…where…is she?” She manages to state, coughing roughly as Winterland hands her a glass of cold water.

“She’s just fine. Don’t worry. We left her with a friend of yours outside in the lobby here. I’ll go bring her here to see you.” Winterland states, heading out.

“A friend? No one knew I came here. Who is she with?” Jasmine asks concerned, letting the water refreshed her throat.

Howie smiles and gazes over at her, “A friend of your son’s I believe. Your daughter seems fond of him in any case she’s safe.”

Jasmine blinks, frowning at the idea. “I don’t like the idea of my little girl with some man. I want to see her now.”

“Ok…ok…calm down she’s coming here now, you just rest up. I’m sorry about that whole thing back there. Do you remember what you saw when you were talking with Winterland?” Howie asks, settling down on a wooden chair holding a cup of what seemed like coffee in his hands.

Jasmine clears her throat, her eyes fixated on the open threshold waiting for her daughter to come through. “Just a body…a man’s body. I didn’t see the face too well…it was pretty bruised up.”

“Right…” Howie nods, leaning forward on his seat to her, “He was found off the road heading to Westchester off IS26. The car crashed through the iron railing off the side. Ummm…there was…some cliff that took the car down…which is how he was wounded at the time.” He slowly explains, gulping as he tries to inform the mourning mother.

Jasmine sits in a daze as she stands up and makes her way to the door. She stops midway when Howie grabs her arm pulling her to him.

“Ma’am I think its best you stay here. Look, Winterland is coming back with your daughter as we speak.”

“Let go of me.” Jasmine vehemently whispers out, seeing the fright in the man’s eyes as he releases her.

“I just don’t want you to jump down anyone’s throat. I don’t know what exactly is the relationship between you and the man outside but your daughter seems fine with him. I just don’t want any trouble that’s all.” Howie whispers out, running a hand through his thick dark hair.

“Yeah well…I just want her here with me now that’s all.” And with that Jasmine steps out of the room heading to where Winterland was talking with her son’s friend and neighbor.

Eliez humming quietly, holding onto Damien’s hand as she giggles and immediately lets go of his hand, running to her mother. “Mommy! You ok! You sleep ok?”

“Oh sweetie I sure did.” Jasmine smiles: picking Eliez in her arms, holding her tightly to her chest. “And what did you do while I was sleeping?”

“I was playing a game with him.” Eliez grins, pointing to Damien who eyes Jasmine and turns back to talking to Winterland.

“A game huh? And what game is that?” Jasmine runs a hand through her little girl’s hair gently. “Want to tell mommy what that game was?”

Eliez smiles and shakes her head, whispering to her mother’s ear: “I can’t say it. It’s a secret.”

Jasmine frowns, eyeing the young man and puts Eliez down: “Tell mommy what the game is now. I won’t tell anyone. I need to know. Its very important to me.” She whispers out, feeling the boring of the officer’s glance at her.

Eliez smiles and kisses her mother’s cheek, “Shhh…I made a promise mommy.”

Winterland smiles and ruffles Eliez’s hair as he makes his way to the back of the station to gather some notes. Jasmine watches him leave and glares at the young man before her. “You don’t seem to understand the crisis of this do you?”

“I just wanted to help out. Look, I’m the only one that knows about what happened with your son. You know in Oakland news spread fast and I didn’t want to be the one doing it.” Damien softly whispers eyeing the police officers in the back of the station taking calls and typing on the available laptops.

Jasmine frowns, “I’m sure of it.” Narrowing her eyes she blurts out: “So you played a game with Eliez?”

“Yeah…” Damien shrugs, feeling the boring of the woman’s eyes. He shifts uncomfortably from one foot to another as the mother kept her gaze on him.

Jasmine exhales, running a hand through her hair as the pressure of the loss of her son was beginning to take a toll on her. She shakily exhales and eyes the man wearily. “Why are you here anyway?”

“I came to talk to an officer about what I saw. He wanted details and I was able to help out in that.” He mutters, sliding down on a cushioned seat placed in the lobby, his hands shoved in the front pocket of his black hoodie.

Jasmine leans over to Eliez: “Pumpkin…why don’t you go see where I put my handbag? I think I left it in the room back there. I have to have big people talk with Damien.”

Eliez smiles and glances at the man, “Ooooh mommy say that when you bad.” And with that she skips off back to the resting room a few doors down.

Jasmine turns to the man and sits besides him, tapping her nails on her lap. “So…you were the last to hear from him right?”

Damien nods and sits up eyeing her: “I know you don’t have a good impression of me with my past and all but…but I’m not like that anymore. You know when you young you do stupid things. I never made Nick do of that crazy stuff back in the past. He’s a good guy, he has…had a great mother. I wish I was lucky as he was.” He quietly states, dropping his head to the tiled floor.

Jasmine frowns at the past tense as she tries to take everything in. “I saw…saw the body.”

Damien eyes her, silently waiting for her to go on with the story.

“He…” She chokes out. “He didn’t look like him. The bruises…everything about it was wrong.” She gulps, whispering out sadly: shaking her head to and fro in disbelief.

“I know…I still can’t believe it.”

Jasmine looks over at the young man, running her knuckles down her knee. “What is the game Eli talked about?”

Damien looked over at her and gulps: “It’s just a game that I use when I had to deal with my cousin’s death. I thought she might like it, it helps out.”

“Ohhh so what is the game?” Jasmine quips up, looking at Eliez running back to her with the bag.

“I wish I could tell you at the moment. But I can’t. At least not yet. But you’ll find out soon enough.” Damien smiles at Eliez who bounds between the two of them with a smile across her face.

Nodding, Jasmine picks up Eliez, setting her down on her lap as she wraps her arms around her cuddling her child close to her.

Eliez looks over at Damien and mouths out to him out of her mother’s view: “I keep secret with me.”

Damien nods, quickly standing up as he excuses himself for a moment to head down a corridor.

Jasmine blows out air, the soft breeze fluttering through Eliez’s hair gently.

“Mommy. You ok now?”

“Yes sweetie, doing well.” Jasmine kisses the top of Eliez’s head shaking her leg, the vision of the corpse invading her silent thoughts. “Honey, you’ll show me the fun game later right?”

Eliez smiles, turning around: “Yes. Soon mommy.”

“That’s my girl.” Jasmine smirks, blowing a raspberry on Eliez’s cheek.

Eliez squeals out in laughter waving her hands in the air while her mother kept going. The only solace of normality that Jasmine will have for the time being.
~*~
“God no…please don’t Jassy. This isn’t happening right now.” Roger blurts out, the sorrow covering his soul in a second, its thick blanket suffocating him in dark sadness.

Jasmine sniffs, holding the phone to her ear as she hears her husband’s voice on the other line. “I didn’t want to believe it…but I don’t know what to believe.”

Roger sniffs, slumping into a seat in the hospital hallway. He tries to blink away the tears raising in his eyes, the tragic news just reaching his ears at the moment. “Why didn’t anyone tell me this before? How are you doing with this? I’m going to take to flight back from Maryland to reach you.”

“Oh honey.” Jasmine chokes out, “It just happened a few hours ago and I’m just a mess with everything. I can’t deal with this alone. I miss my baby boy. He didn’t ask for this, he didn’t need to leave us this way.”

“Shhh I know he didn’t. I…I’m just speechless with all this.” Roger quietly states, taking off his green surgical cap, his eyes staring at the passing doctors and surgeons wheeling a patient ready for an operation. He runs his hands over his green surgeon’s attire and sighs. “Just be strong…I’ll be home as fast as I can ok?”

“Can’t you just go now?! Your son just died?! Why can’t you be here with me right now? Your family needs you more than those doctors there.” Jasmine chokes out, biting back a sob as tears flood down her cheeks.

“I’m doing the best I can to get there as fast as I can. Of course I’m upset, this is my child we’re talking about! But I’m all the way across the country as we speak and it’s not easy to just walk out on a dying victim here. Trust me. I’ll be home tomorrow, be strong for Eli. She doesn’t understand death and I don’t need her worrying about things like that.”

“Ok…but honey get here soon. I can’t deal with this all alone.” Jasmine sniffs, watching a pair of police officers pass her flipping through some records on someone.

“We’ll be ok…I’m sure of it. I have to go, I’m getting called on but I’ll see you tomorrow ok?”

Jasmine smiles sadly, feeling the small hands of her daughter wrapped around her thigh. Her hands go through her soft locks slowly as she whispers out: “Alright. I love you honey.”

“Ditto.” Roger smiles hanging up as one of his co-workers gaze over at him.

“Sorry about all that.” A co-worker whispers out, heading to the surgery room.

Exhaling he closes his eyes, wondering if the nightmare will be over soon for his family. “Thanks. Soon…soon she’ll know and we can work on getting our lives back.” The metal door slams shut behind him as he prepares for the operation at hand.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Going Through The Motions by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”

~Chapter Three- Going Through The Motions

He runs through the soggy grass: his laughter filling the air as he stops before her, extending his hand out to her. “Come on mom, this one last time I swear and you’ll love it.” A small smile forms on the curves of his lips while his light eyes shimmered in the early evening’s soft glow.

“No Nick, you go.” Jasmine whispers out, “Go with Eli, she wants to get in the sprinklers.”

Nick snickers and rolls his eyes, “She’s already soaked. I want you in the water. Come on its burning outside right now, get in.”

Jasmine laughs and nods: “Ok how about this, I’ll get in a little later to make you happy ok.”

Nick grins: “Fine but if you don’t live up to your word then I’m gonna personally carry you into the sprinklers.” Casting her a mischievous smile, he goes back to his little sister who was sitting on the cement ground squealing as the water rained down on her.

“Him and that water. I’ll never understand Nick.” A young woman’s voice speaks out.

Jasmine tilts her head smiling, “Sometimes I wonder why I didn’t give birth underwater cause then it would make more sense. He has a fascination for the ocean.”

“Tell me about it. He can’t get enough of sailing and I keep wondering if he plans on moving on there.” The young woman states, brushing a lock of dark flaxen hair down her back.

Jasmine giggles and shakes her head: “Don’t be surprise to hear that from him, who know maybe you’ll get married on there as well.” She teases the woman who breaks into a gentle smile giggling.

“Marriage huh? Sounds nice.” The woman states, her gray eyes look over to Nick who was holding a squealing two year old Eliez in his lap and sits down on the grate where the water was shooting out of.

Jasmine nods: “You’re the best thing that happened to him besides getting his degree in marine biology that is.”

The young woman smiles and nods, “Thanks and yeah I think I am.”

“Arianna! Baby check this out!” He shouts out from the sprinklers as he drops his pants and sits on the squirting water in his boxers.

Arianna laughs hard shaking her head, “Oh boy…and to think I love this goofball.”

“He has that charm about him.” Jasmine laughs as she hears a distant shouting coming from her daughter.

Opening her eyes, she gasps and looks around the dark room sighing out in relief as a warm tear caresses down her cheek. “It was just a dream.” She whispers out, gulping as she rolls to her side cuddling the pillow. For that one moment, she was recalling the memory so vivid and clear that she believed it was occurring just now. That she was still seeing her son. That he was perfect the way he was, no bruises, no broken bones, no mishaps of any kind. But that Nick she always known and loved was captured in that memory as the son she always remembered.

She tiredly gazes over the red numbers on the clock radio resting on her nightstand besides her. “3:30” She whispers out faintly, feeling her eyes lids close to the touch of sleep. It had only been a few hours ago since she had came back from the police station and was dropped off by officer Dorough. She had told him that she was fine but he saw through her and informed her that he would stay in his car and keep watch over her place in case he sees anything suspicious just for tonight.

“Just until your husband gets home. I don’t want you to stay alone. I’ll be here in the car if you feel afraid at any point. I’ll keep guard.”

Jasmine had agreed and felt as much as she didn’t want to say it: relieved that at least there was someone she can run to in this neighborhood.

Oakland is a vast suburban area with houses spread out which made it difficult for Jasmine to actually make close friends within the community. The middle class area surrounded a bank and the high-class companies that help refunded many of the lost programs that have been reinstated.

Sighing softly, she closes her eyes once again feeling the small bundle of warmth besides her. Smiling gently she runs a hand through Eliez messy locks, holding her child close to her, letting sleep take over for the time being.
~*~

He enters the threshold, letting the front door slam behind him. He stands still soaked from the rain outside, listening to the silence in his house. “Where you at?” He calls out, waiting for someone to respond. Tossing the keys on the mantle, he pulls off the drenched black hoodie walking into the small cozy living room. Quietly stepping to the sofa, he looks down and smiles, seeing a young woman curled fast asleep, her arms wrapped around a small plush pillow.

He smiles and brushes a hand down her arm whispering in her ear: “I came back.”

The woman shifts and opens her eyes to look up at her boyfriend’s face. “Mmmm…” She yawns sitting up, a smile making its way to her lips. “About time. I was beginning to wonder when you brought your behind back here.”

He sits besides her as she crawls on his lap crinkling her nose: “Eghhh…you’re all wet.”

“Got caught up in the storm.” He tugs on his soaked t-shirt matted down with water.

“Should have listened to me when I said take the umbrella.”

Damien shifts in the sofa and smirks: “I like the rain then.”

She smirks, leaning over to kiss him: “How did it go?”

“I saw her…its crazy you know. I got there and I was talking to Eli when I found out Mrs. Carter was passed out.”

“Ooooohhh…she saw the body right?”

Damien sighs, wrapping his arms around her waist: “Yup.”

Raising her light eyebrows, she exhales resting her head on his chest frowning: “I’m just worried about her daughter. The poor girl.”

He rubs her back gently leaning back: “She’ll be fine, she doesn’t really understand what’s going on yet.”

“Well good, she doesn’t need to deal with all that.”

Damien nods and stands up carrying her: “Moving on…I’m wet, tired and hungry, care to help out in that Arianna?”

She smirks, her gray eyes twinkling: “Sure thing sugar. I think I left some food in the fridge. I’ll get that set up while you go change.”

Damien puts her down and smirks: “Heh, see you in a few.” Spanking her butt gently he heads to his bedroom as she laughs waltzing into the kitchen.
~*~

She stretches her arm out above her feeling the bathing of the morning sun rays splash upon her sun kissed skin. Smiling, she steers her eyes to the bright hazy rising sun creeping up in the horizon a distance away. She can feel Eliez’s lithe small body curl around her for comfort as she slowly sits up to take the morning in. Pulling the thin cotton blanket off her waist, she places her bare feet on the shiny wooden planks. Grabbing her robe, she pulls it around her body tying it. The quiet morning was welcoming to her as she exits her room, leaving the door open in case her child needed anything.

Descending down the stairs she begins to head to the kitchen when a gun shot sounds off outside her house. Gasping, she clutches the robe tightly around herself, rushing over to the nearest window to see the officer leaning on the side of the police car scratching his head in confusion. Gulping, she inches her way to the front slowly opening the front door. Exiting slowly, she hears the soft chirping of the Robins who flutter above her on a pine tree besides her front yard. Her eyes fall on the officer who glances over at her with a small smile.

“Morning Mrs. Carter. Sorry about that. Hope I didn’t wake you up worried. I was eating my sandwich and some raccoon put up a fight for it.”

She holds back a chuckle eyeing the man: “So who won?” She crosses her arms, watching him with interest.

“Heh…well take your pick. I’ll help you out. I still don’t have a sandwich and the raccoon isn’t dead.” He sheepishly smiles, dropping his head.

Jasmine smirks, hearing a soft giggle escape her lips. “Ohh poor thing…I can fix you up something to eat don’t you worry. As for the waking up to a gun shot, well perhaps you should consider another method.”

“Right, right of course! Again I apologize for such a startling way to wake up.”

“That’s alright. And…since you lost your breakfast, how about you join Eliez and I for some breakfast? We could always use the company.” Jasmine smiles: opening the front door.

“I would love to! Thank you so much ma’am.” Howie beams and quickly follows her inside for a hardy meal to begin the start of the early day.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
In-depth Data by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”

~Chapter Four- In- depth Data

She sets down the last plate, her eyes scrolling over to the young officer taking a nice heap of scrambled eggs and sausages. Smiling, she slides into a chair across from him, watching him devour the warm breakfast set aside for him.

“Mmm…man. This is incredible Mrs. Carter…

“Jasmine.” She cuts him off.

He moves his jaw munching on the food, taking a swig of orange juice before speaking. “Jasmine.”

She nods, “Yeah why make it so formal, we’re a small community and you’ve done a lot staying outside instead of being at your home with your family.”

“Well…I live alone ma’am. Got a rented apartment down on Millbury. Beautiful place really, well at least for me considering the prices are rising all around.” He gazes down at his plate, stabbing a piece of pancake and shoving it into his mouth.

“Ohhh you live alone?”

“You sound surprise.”

“Well just a bit. I assumed a man of your status would have a nice family by now that’s all.” Jasmine quips up, brushing back a lock of golden hair off her chin.

“Oh well…I just haven’t found the right misses I guess.” Howie shrugs, rolling the sleeves of his blue officer shirt up to his elbows.

“I have some spare clothes from my husband, if you like you can wash up and get into those since it’ll take a good hour or so to get to Millbury from here.”

Howie smirks, “Thanks, that’s quite the offer. I wouldn’t want to impose however and it would feel just a bit awkward if I walked out of here with your husband’s clothes.”

Jasmine lets out a soft chuckle, “No really its fine. He never wore those clothes since I got it a size too small for him. So I’m sure giving it to you would be fine. The clothes are there to be worn and it was never used. You can take that as a gift along with the breakfast for staying here at the night.”

Howie nods, “That’s really nice of you…” He cuts himself from calling her by her last name and smiles, “Jasmine. Thanks.”

“Very welcome. You can use the bathroom to freshen up, its up the stairs first door to your right.”

“You really don’t have to worry about me. I just feel like I’m invading going to your bathroom and stuff.”

Holding a plate in her hands, she gazes at him sternly, like a mother berating her child and points to the stairs. “It’s fine. I don’t mind. Go ahead, I’ll clean up here.”

“Thank you.” He whispers out, stepping out of the kitchen and jogs up the first few steps reaching the next level of the house. He looks down the neatly decorated hallway to see a soft beige carpet covering the entire length of the sturdy hallway. The shiny mahogany walls gleam in the early sunlight breaking into the one lone window at the end of one side of the hallway. He quietly makes his way down the right side of the hallway seeing a small crack of a door open, the sunrays bursting through the open slot of the door. He reaches the first door to his right, opening the bathroom but his eyes remain locked on the cream colored door across from him. He can hear soft shuffling coming from that room and smiles, stepping up and peering in to see Eliez sitting in her child size drawing desk, attempting to draw something with a crayon on a sheet of white paper.

He watches her for a few more minutes, her back to him as she continuously keeps at her drawing.

Eliez hums a song under breath and scribbles on the paper lifting her head up and turns it to him gazing at him curiously. “Want to see?” She refers to her drawing, a smile spreading across her snowy cheeks.

“Sure. Can I come in?” He asks as she nods her head and smiles.

He goes over to her and makes his way to the desk, peering down to look at the stick figure and a small scrabble of what she tried to write out below it. His eyes trace over the misshapen letters whispering out: “What does that say?”

“It says Nick.” She bubbles out, nibbling on her lower lip, her big azure eyes taking him in.

“Nick, oh. Is that him?” He points to the stick figure drawn with a sad face.

Eliez nods quickly, putting her small chubby pointer finger onto the drawing. “He’s sad. He miss mommy.”

Howie gulps, scratching the back of his head: “Eliez, do you remember the last time you saw your brother?”

Eliez pouts, placing a finger on her lip as she bubbles out, “Terday.”

“You mean yesterday or today?”

She frowns not understanding the concept of time, “He left and say bye to me and mommy.”

“Ok…that’s ok sweetie. I didn’t mean to ask about that.” Howie gulps, feeling horrible for asking the young child to recall the last she saw her now dead brother.

She eyes him and giggles, clapping her hands: “I know a secret. Shhhhh…”

Howie raises his eyebrows, kneeling down to her level. “Ohhh…is it a nice secret?”

Eliez frowns and shakes head: “Bad…bad bad bad.” She taunts out, scratching out the stick figure on the paper violently with her black crayon.

Howie frowns, his gaze never leaving her small hands. “Why did you mess up the picture?”

“Its bad! Its bad! It looks bad.”

Howie gazes at her wishing he could get her to speak what she wanted to see. Her reaction to her brother’s death was strange. She didn’t seem upset nor even noted if he was around. “Can I ask you a question Eliez?”

The little girl raises her head to gaze at him, her clear bright eyes blink quickly as she sneezes and smiles. “Ok.”

He takes a small hand of hers in his and gazes at her: “Its ok to be sad for Nick. Nick is sleeping. He’s taking a big sleep now.”

Eliez giggles and shakes her head: “Noooooo. Nick doesn’t sleep. He never sleeps.”

Howie sighs, standing up looking around her cozy room full of big dolls as lilac colored butterflies on the bright yellow walls surrounded her room. “Its ok. You’re right. Nick isn’t sleeping.” And he exits the room, going to the bathroom across it.

Eliez smiles and turns back to the ruined drawing seeing nothing but black ragged circles over the barely visible stick figure.
~*~

She looks out the den window pulling him over to it: “Look, she got a cop at her place.”

Damien brushes the pale white curtain aside to get a better view across the street a little further down the block. “Yeah…she probably got him to stay over in case of anything.”

“Isn’t she married?” Arianna whispers out, pinning her dark flaxen hair up in a small clip. Long tendrils fall out of the clip as she gazes out the window.

“Uh yeah why?”

“Nothing.”

“Heh what are you thinking?” Damien stares at the police car.

“Well she doesn’t know. So…that’s a good thing. But do you think that cop has any clue?”

Damien snorts: “I doubt it. I never seen him around this part of the town so he looks clueless if anything.”

“What if they start questioning me?” Arianna frowns, getting off the sofa. “I don’t need the 5-0 down my back about Nick’s sudden death.”

“Whoa hey relax baby. They won’t do that. If you don’t wanna say anything to them then don’t. They can’t go after you.” Damien calmly whispers out, holding her elbows as he pulls her to him for an embrace.

She smiles and takes his hands: “So we’re safe then right?”

He nods and kisses her as she smirks.

“Easy tiger. Wouldn’t want to start up what we did from last night.” Arianna smiles.

Damien snickers, letting go of the curtain from his hand and leds her to the breakfast nook.
~*~

He pulls up to the familiar driveway, a smile dawning on his face as he parks and turns off the ignition. Sighing, he cracks his knuckles and exits his silver Chrysler convertible. Jogging up the porch steps, he pulls out his keys and slowly enters the house, his eyes scanning over the empty living room.

“Jasmine.” He calls out to hear no response. Narrowing his eyes, he makes his way down to the bottom of the staircase slowly ascending up.

“Jasmine honey I’m home.”

Jasmine sits besides her daughter listening to Eliez go on and on about a magic tree she wants to draw tomorrow for school not hearing the sound of her husband’s voice yet.

Roger walks down the hallway and sees a young man stepping out of the bathroom dressed in what looked like Roger’s own clothes carrying a bundle of clothes in his arms. Narrowing his eyes he walks up to the man and grabs him by the collar: “You better have a good excuse wearing my stuff.” He growls out pinning the man against the wall.

Howie blinks and frowns: “You must be mister Carter. I’m officer Dorough from precinct 15. I was told to keep watch for your family until you came home.”

Roger releases the man from his grip and smirks: “So what’s with the attire? I thought you cops wore uniforms.”

Howie drops his head and whispers out: “It was lent to me until I can get home. But I promise I’ll have it washed and cleaned as soon as possible and I’ll deliver it back to you sir.”

Roger smirks, eyeing the man. “Very well. And by the way, I don’t fit into those. Though you can imagine what it must be like to come home and see a man with his wife alone. It makes you wonder.”

Howie quickly nods: “Totally understandable. But to keep you informed I didn’t enter this house until about an hour ago. So no worries sir.”

Roger nods sternly: “Right.” His eyes turn to his daughter’s room and smiles, “How are they?”

“Well your wife is mourning as expected. Your daughter…well I’m not sure what’s going with her. I think when you talk with her you’ll understand.”

“Does she know about his death?”

Howie shakes his head: “No.” He held back the conversation he had with her for fear the father would get upset on the news.

“Well good to know. Thank you for your services…” Roger gazes at him.

Howie nods adjusting the loose green t-shirt and loose fitting jeans, feeling beyond awkward at the moment. “I’ll guess I’ll be heading out then.” Pulling out a business card, he hands it over to Roger. “If your wife knows of anything else she can call the station here and it’ll take her straight to Winterland or myself since I’m working on the case.”

Roger eyes him and looks away knowing Howie didn’t know the whole truth on his son’s murder and how it came to be. “I’ll make sure to keep this number at hand.”

Howie simply nods and whispers out a goodbye as he excuses himself and steps out of the house.

Roger runs a hand through his dark hair, stepping into his daughter’s room.

Eliez was humming a nursery rhyme to her mother who held her close to her chest. Eliez’s eyes turn quickly to the door as Jasmine breaks into a bright smile at the sight of her husband.

“Roger you made it!” Jasmine jumps up, holding her daughter in her arms as she rushes over to him.

“Of course I did. I manage to take an earlier flight than expected to and got here as fast as I could.” Roger smiles kissing the top of Eliez’s forehead and embracing Jasmine. “I wanted to surprise you and by the looks of it I did.”

Jasmine gazes at him warmly touching his gruff face: “Looks like you need to start shaving again.”

Roger smiles, taking Eliez from her arms and bombards the little girl with kisses.

Eliez giggles: “Stop stop!” Shifting her small body around from her father’s tender kisses.

Jasmine watches this happily and gulps recalling the last image of Nick and Eliez before he left the house yesterday. Sniffing, she rubs her eyes and gulps, sliding into the kiddie chair of Eliez. She smiles seeing Eliez tell her father her great adventure about finding a raccoon with a sandwich on the tree last night.

Jasmine rested her hand on the small child desk, feeling a sheet of paper beneath her. Curiously, she picks up the sheet and frowns, seeing massive black circles over the barely visible stick figure. She tries to read the name below the now destroyed picture but her daughter’s writing was not yet developed and the letters seemed more of a bunch of squiggles than anything else.

“Baby bear, what is this picture you made?” She calls out to a giggling Eliez who seemed fascinated at her father’s facial structure.

“Eli honey. Look over here.” Jasmine calls out. Eliez snaps to attention at the sound her name gazing at her mother.

Roger smiles brushing a hand through his daughter’s hair as he sits on the edge of Eliez’s bed.

Eliez looks over to her mother and waits: “Huh?”

“Care bear what is this you drew? I can’t see it. I’m sure it was a nice picture.” Jasmine states, watching her husband smile, holding his little girl on his lap.

Eliez studies the ruined drawing for a minute before responding: “Its Nick.”

Roger frowns, turning to the picture as Jasmine gulps putting the drawing down.

“Do you miss him baby?”

“Mommy he’s not here. Nice man said he’s sleeping but no. No. No, no. Nick no sleep.” She bumbles out, reaching for her cabbage patch doll and smiles. “Molly knows too.”

Roger clears his throat, feeling the tension in the room: “What does Molly know?”

Eliez simply smiles and eyes her father: “You know daddy.”

“What is she talking about?” Jasmine frowns, standing up nervously, tossing the drawing in the wastebasket.

Eliez wiggles her plump legs and slides off her father’s lap, skipping out of the room holding her doll’s hand to let the doll drag on the floor.

“I don’t know.” Roger replies, “Maybe she knows more than we think.”

“I think so too.” She frowns stepping over to her husband as tears begin falling down her cheek quietly.

Sighing, Roger wraps his arms around her, kissing the top of head, rubbing her back in circles to calm her down. He closes his eyes at what his daughter said to him knowing she was doing a good job in maintaining the secret but he didn’t know for how long before others begin to figure it out as well.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Nothing But The Truth by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Five- Nothing But The Truth

She looks out the kitchen window hearing the sound of a basketball pounding the cement driveway. Smiling, she watches Nick a bit younger around eighteen or so, shooting a basketball into the garage’s hoop with Damien clapping his hands. She keeps her eyes train watching the two boys playing, as they seem to break into a laugh over something. Nick turns his head over to the window and waves as Damien dribbles the ball past him shooting into the hoop behind him.

Jasmine raises her hand waving back as she jumps from a touch on her shoulder.

“Honey. Who are you waving to?” Roger asks concerned, his dark eyes taking her in.

Jasmine gulps and looks out the window again seeing her driveway empty with just her husband’s vehicle there. “No…nothing.” She stammers out, sniffing. Feeling arms wrap up around her, she leans into her husband crying silently.

“Shhh…shh…I know it hurts. You’ll…we’ll make it through this.” He whispers softly in her ear.

“Why? Why him?” Jasmine looks up at him, a frown crossing her lips.

“I’m not sure. Eli said God needed him more than we do.” Roger whispers out, a sad smile crosses over his lips.

Jasmine gulps, shaking her head as she pulls away from her husband, heading out of the kitchen. “I have to get Eliez ready for head start. I don’t want her here to dwell on her brother. Its too many things that would remind her of him.”

“Too many things remind you of him too.” Roger sighs, “If you want I can handle the funeral arrangements and you can take the day off.”

“No, its fine. I’ll go to work for today.” She whispers out, “Anything to get my mind cleared. The more I stay here the more it becomes unbearable for me.”

“I know sweetie. You get dress and ready, I’ll get Eli up and ready for head start.” Roger sniffs, watching his wife exit the kitchen. Sighing, he hears a small beep going off on his two-way messenger. Lifting the small machine up in his hands, he reads the message sent from the police station from Officer Winterland asking if they want the body cremated. Roger smiles and quickly types in cremated.

He watches as another message pops on saying ‘why’. Roger types back ‘Because she doesn’t know and seeing another man’s body at the funeral instead of her son’s won’t be a smart idea.’ Closing his two way, he tucks it in his pocket and heads up to Eliez’s room so proud of his little girl able to keep quiet on a big secret for mommy.
~*~

She screams horrified, stumbling over some rocks feeling her body crash down on the hard pebbled ground. She can feel a trail of blood drip off the side of her face trailing down to her chin as the man with a chainsaw reaches her and pulls her by the hair ready to decapitate her. She yells out help as she can hear Damien in the background yell out “Cut.”

Arianna smirks and stands up from the ground, dusting herself off as the guy with the chainsaw blew her a kiss and walks away to the refreshment stand, off the side of the filming.

Arianna wipes away the fake blood down her face as Damien stands behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. She giggles and faces him: “Well?”

“Not bad. You got some lungs on you.” He smirks, wiping away a drop of fake blood falling off her cheek.

She giggles and looks around the set: “Not bad. You know if you win the competition for the horror film just make sure you give me all the credit. Cause I make you look good.”

Damien laughs: “I’ll make sure to put in a good word about you.”

“And look at this, romance on set. And here I thought it was a horror movie.” A voice calls out approaching them.

Damien turns and smirks: “Well look who bothered showing up.”

The handsome tattooed friend tugs on his baseball cap eyeing Arianna, “And gee you gave her the lead role…wonder why? See I knew screwing the director would be good for one’s career. D man honestly if I had given it up the other day I bet I would have her role right now.” He jokes causing the couple to break into a laugh.

“Shut up A.J. What’s up man?” Damien gives his friend a pound handshake snickering.

“Dude I should be asking you what’s up? I read the newspaper this morning.” He holds out the Times newspaper waving the cover before them. “Check it out. Blondie made headlines and…” He stops, looking over at Arianna and stays quiet.

“She knows. Its fine.” Damien whispers out, snatching the newspaper out of his hands.

Arianna looks at the cover and frowns: “Did you read the article?”

A.J. snorts, “Nope. Why, when we knew what really happened. The cops are screwed up more than we are. And this newspaper got no real wind of what happened.” He rubs his goatee, plopping down on a seat.

Damien tosses the newspaper aside and shrugs: “Bunch of ass is what it is. People got no clue. The article is so fabricated its pathetic.”

A.J. grins checking out Arianna: “You one fine piece of ass my boy got there. No wonder he’s happy.” He trails his eyes over to Damien who flips him off and smirks. “So just wanted to bring you a nice fix of happy news by bringing over that paper. And I suggest you stay out of the limelight. The cops are looking for answers and you don’t want to get involved.”

“Dude we’re already involved. Besides one of the main officers in the precinct already knows too. So we’re safe.” Damien fixes himself some coffee leaning against the buffet table.

A.J. nods, smirking: “So when we gonna hang out man? You’ve been so wrapped up in that little competition and banging her, I’m beginning to feel left out. And a left out Alex is never good.”

Arianna laughs: “I would say join us but I don’t think that idea is up for option.”

A.J. grins: “Damn you kinky! D, I got the front is all I’m saying.” He jokes as Damien smirks.

“Get off my seat, I gotta get some more filming done before I head back to the office.” Damien snickers as A.J. rises off his seat. “We can hang out later tonight though I’m off by five today. Stupid ass boss got some meeting to attend too so I’ll be out earlier today.”

“Where is the love for that lady boss of yours?” A.J. grins, shoving his hands into the front of his jean pocket.

“Down my pants. Now you gonna stay quiet so I can get this part of the film in?” Damien smirks.

A.J. beams brightly, a mischievous grin covering his lips “Sure thing man.” When Damien’s back was turned, he playfully blows a kiss at Arianna’s direction.

She giggles and shakes her head as she takes her position on set, ready to begin shooting.
~*~

She sniffs, wiping away a stray tear, flipping through the pages of a manual at her office.

A young brunette sticks her head into the office and smiles: “Morning Mrs. Carter. Would you like something to drink or eat? Lunch time is about to happen, I’m thinking we can go check out this nice café a few blocks down.”

Jasmine looks over and smiles: “I think that would be a good idea, I need some air anyway.” She stands up and grabs her beige handbag, heading out of the office with the woman.

“Mrs. Carter…how are you?” The woman whispers, taking the elevator down to the lobby.

“Dealing.” She whispers out, clearing her throat. “Its hard.” She chokes out, sniffing blinking away the tears. “Eliez is dealing with it strangely. She seems many times dazed off or talking to herself. Its like she’s talking to someone that isn’t there.”

The young petite woman licks her full lips. “Do you think she seems something?”

“Janelly I don’t know what she sees. Do you know she drew a picture of Nick and but it was scribbled out.”

Janelly blinks, as she steps out of the elevator walking into the lobby with her: “She drew him? And then scribbled over it?”

“Yeah. Its like she didn’t want us to see it or something. I’m not sure what’s going on.”

Janelly frowns and eyes her: “Don’t take this the wrong way but maybe she needs some therapy. I know a nice psychologist/therapist who deals with children and adults. If you want, I can call in for you and set up a meeting appointment just so you can check him out.”

“Do you think that will help?” Jasmine whispers out, feeling the boring of eyes from her co-workers around her.

Janelly nods: “Maybe, I mean its better than having little Eliez talk to herself at times right?”

Jasmine nods, “Yeah you’re right. It’s…It’s…” Sniffing, “It can help out and she needs someone else to talk to about it.”

Eyeing her, Janelly bites her lower lip: “I hate to ask this, but the news did a special report on your son’s incident. Did you watch it last night?”

Jasmine shakes her head, “No. I don’t wanna see those things. I don’t want to have to deal with this burden anymore. It hurts too much.”

Janelly stands before her: frowning, her soft light tan eyes watch over her. “If you need someone to talk too, you can always talk to me. I mean I know I don’t have a child or anything but it’s good to have some one on one girl time. And maybe we can catch a movie or something and even Eliez can come with us. We can go to a spa or makeover or something. Anything that will help clear your mind out for a bit.”

Jasmine smiles at the offer: “I would love that. And we’ll do that later on…after…” She chokes up, “After the funeral that is.”

Janelly gulps, nodding her head: “Yeah…ummm ok.” She struggles to smile and leads the mourning mother away to a café down the block.
~*~


“HAHA that’s a bunch of bull man.” A.J. cracks up, holding his side gazing at the food plate before him.

Damien almost chokes on his drink, coughing and laughing as he settles back in the booth. “That wasn’t my story though, he told me that.”

“Yeah aight, whatever man. When Brian gets here. I’ll corner him and he’ll crack.”

“Fine and you’ll see I’m right.”

A.J. smirks watching a waiter come up to them holding a pad in his hands.

“You guys ready to order or you need more time?” The handsome tan Italian man drums his pen against the small pad of paper.

Damien shrugs and looks through the menu: “Uh fine, what the hell is this though?” He points to an Italian dish.

“Oh that’s a pastry. Cream inside. Really one of the most requested desserts around.” The waiter states proudly.

A.J. snorts, leaning close to read the waiter’s name: “Yeah Ok, listen my man…Jesse…check it. I think what my boy is trying to say is, does it taste good? Cause it can have all the cream in the world and it’ll still taste like shit.”

Damien smirks and puts the menu down eying the waiter.

Jesse leans down to the guy’s table and whispers out: “Actually…this shit is really good and if you ask me they put too much cream in it but it’s always worth a shot.” Jesse straightens up and smirks.

Damien chuckles, leaning back in the booth.

Jesse smiles: “So you guys together? Its ok I won’t say anything. I’m pretty gay friendly.”

Damien’s mouth drops as A.J. snorts: “Yeah he’s my bitch. You interested?”

Jesse laughs, “Sorry I’m happily married but congrats you two.” He writes down the desserts and smiles, “Anything else?”

Damien blinks and looks over at A.J. who had a huge smile across his face.

“Nope…oh wait if you got some wine, that be good too.” A.J. closes his menu handing it back to the waiter.

Jesse nods and writes it down as Damien hands the menu back as well. “Sir, want any dessert?”

Damien tilts his head, “You got ice cream?”

“Sure.” Jesse smirks: “Its strawberry for you then right?”

A.J. breaks into a laugh holding his ribs at the comment.

Damien snorts: “No haha. Vanilla.”

“Want any nuts on it?” Jesse beams.

Damien narrows his eyes as A.J. falls off the seat laughing hard. “Heh, I’m not gay. I got a girl.”

“Hey look whatever story you wanna use its ok. And if you’re not ready to come out of the closet that’s ok too.” Jesse whispers.

Damien abruptly stands up and grabs the waiter by his collar: “I swear to God you lucky you my friend man or I would have killed you for that.” He laughs, letting Jesse go.

Jesse laughs patting him on the back: “And to think you get so uptight about that too.”

A.J. smirks, settling back down in his chair: “That was great. Jess give us the usual and don’t screw it up.”

“Yeah yeah, just make sure I don’t come back and see you two screwing.” He teases as Damien laughs flipping him off.

A sandy haired man strolls over to them plopping down besides Damien, “Hey guys, sorry I was running late. Wifey had issues with a hair dryer.”

A.J. calms down after the laughter as Jesse heads off to get their desserts.

“Did I miss something here? You guys look like you had a good time before I was coming in.”

“A.J was messing with the waiter again.” Damien smirks shaking a juice bottle.

“Nothing new there then.” The soft spoken man states looking over at A.J.

“Oh what Brian? It was good times.” A.J. grins digging into his fries, soaking them in ketchup before putting it in his mouth.

Brian smirks and looks over: “I was checking out the newspaper today…interesting stuff on the front cover. Especially since this community is pretty boring.”

Damien eyes him and slumps back crossing his arms: “Yup.”

“I have no idea how that was pulled off but it’s a good…” Brian stops as the waiter brings back their dessert.

Jesse eyes them and using hand signals to Damien jokily saying “Call Me”

A.J. snickers eyeing Brian.

Damien shakes his head smirking as Jesse walks away to attend to other customers.

“Yeah, I’ll say. Did you get a chance to check out the highway where it occurred? Its all taped up and everything. The police are going crazy looking for answers.” A.J. munches on his fries happily finishing it off.

“Nope, I didn’t take that expressway…though I’m so curious to know who really knows what we know.” Brian sips on the water served to him.

“You know who knows. And we’re part of it.” Damien taps his foot, dropping off his amount for the bill on the table. “B you leaving the tip, I’m going broke taking you pansies out to eat.” He jokes, settling back in the booth.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Unsolved Issues by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale


~Chapter Six- Unsolved Issues

The pen rolls off his desk with a soft plop while his hands shuffle through articles and reports spread out on his oak desk. Frowning, he shakes his head unsure of what to think of the murdered man found recently. He needed more evidence to prove that the man was murdered and it was not a suicidal incident. Howie rereads a report given to him just a few hours ago about the severe fractures the victim got from the car crash. Blood tests were taken to insure that the man was indeed the person they believed he was. Yet something in the back of his mind keeps telling him that something was adding up. Call it doubts, but he could sense something more was occurring but he couldn’t put his finger on it.

As much as he tried to analyze the gruesome death of the young man found off the highway cliff, the more he was becoming weary of the results. He wasn’t allowed to go into the medical records to confirm if the man was really the man missing now.

“Nick…Nick.” He whispers out, looking through sheets of confined information describing the man’s basic weight, height and bone structure. He needed to ask a doctor or dentist or at least the mortician about the severities of the corpse but was denied access to it from Winterland. For as he heard from the older officer’s mouth: “It was already taken care of.”

Drumming his fingers on the desk, his eyes scroll over useless articles and fathom reports as he chooses to call them. He needed to speak to any witnesses that might have seen the incident but since it was a stormy night, there was no traffic and the roads here seem to run on and on in where one can find themselves driving alone with no other car in sight. Twirling a pen in his hand, he nibbles on the top of it, lost in his own personal thoughts. “I need a way to check out the body.” Snapping his fingers, he realized the simplest thing he could do at the moment. “I need a photo of the man.” Smiling, he was sure calling Mrs. Carter for a photo of her child should be easy.

Picking up the black cordless phone, he begins pacing his small cozy study room, which before it was converted was an extra bedroom. “Come on…come on. Pick up. Please Mrs. Carter.” He murmurs into the phone frowning slightly at the answering machine picking up.

“Hello you reached the Carter residence. Leave a name and message and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.” The husband’s voice blares out before the long erratic beeping sounded off.

Exhaling Howie shakes his free hand, shoving the phone close to his ear with the other: “Miss…Jasmine, hi its Howie calling to ask a question. Listen if you have an available photo of your son anywhere that you can show to either me or the precinct, it would be greatly appreciated ma’am. Please when you find the time, I need this as soon as possible to help out with the case. Thanks again.” Howie sighs, hanging up, quietly placing the phone back in the cradle. “Great…now I gotta wait. Fun times.” He murmurs, exiting the room to catch the news on the TV coming in.
~*~

She sat patiently waiting for her father to pick her up as she sits quietly at her small desk scribbling a drawing across a paper. The only child left in the classroom, she sits quietly concentrating on her drawing. The soft footsteps of her teacher echo in the classroom as she continues to vigorously scratch a drawing onto the white construction paper.

“Eliez, that looks like a nice picture, what is it? Her teacher looks down, gazing at her warmly.

Eliez looks up at the woman’s soft flush tan cheeks and tussled dark hair framing the face. The teacher adjusts her glasses and smiles: “Well are you going to tell me?”

Eliez drops her red crayon looking over at the teacher: “It’s a surprise.”

The teacher smirks and shakes her head, “It looks like a little person you drew. Is it a boy?”

Eliez simply nods and smiles: “It’s a special person.”

The teacher frowns, nodding: “I see. It’s an important person right?”

“Yup. He’s hurt in this picture.”

Mrs. Anderson gazes at the stick figure of the boy, “How is he hurt?”

Eliez whispers out softly, barely audible for her to ear.

“Sweetie I didn’t hear you. Can you repeat that again?”

“He’s red cause he went bye bye.”

“Where did he go?” Mrs. Anderson watches the little girl lost in thought.

“He went far away. But he’s not sleeping. He’s hurt.”

“Oh ok well then.” Mrs. Anderson drops her eyes over to another little stick figure this one seemed more like a girl yet it was hard to tell with the child’s messy squiggles. “Is that you?”

Eliez smiles and points to the little girl stick figure nodding.

“She’s seems to be holding something. What is that little triangle in her hand?”

Eliez whispers out: “Its pointy. It hurts. That’s me holding pointy.”

Mrs. Anderson clears her throat recognizing that Eliez meant a knife: “Why are you holding that?”

“I hurt him.” Eliez grins as her father Roger steps into the classroom.

Mrs. Anderson watches the child in utter shock, nervously standing up eyeing the father: “She’s all ready to go home.”

Roger smiles, sticking out his hand to a smiling Eliez who runs over to him taking his hand and holding her drawing in the other hand.

“Bye, bye Miss A.” Eliez waves: exiting the classroom with her father.
~*~

She locks her office door, stepping out of her office as she checks her watch: “5:30. He should be outside by now.” Jasmine mutters, quickly passing down the hallway waving to Janelly.

“Hey whoa slow your roll Jasmine.” Janelly calls out, catching up to her: “My you fast today. You heading out now?”

Jasmine nods, grabbing her handbag tightly in her hands, her eyes swollen from tears that seem to have no end for her.

“Ohh Jas.” Janelly frowns, gently placing a hand on her co-worker’s shoulder. “I…I call up for you to check out Dr. Richardson. You know just to see how he is. You don’t have to stay for further meetings if you don’t want to.”

“Thank you.” Jasmine whispers out, sniffing: “I’ll see how that goes.”

“So wait you’re going?”

“Just maybe I need to seek professional help with this. Its getting too difficult and…” She sniffs, holding back a sob from escaping her throat: “It just seems easier to be able to deal with the issue than holding it in.”

Janelly simply nods unsure what to say at the moment that wouldn’t upset the mother in any way. “Well I know you’ll like him. He’s a sweet man and not bad on the eyes at all. In fact if I wasn’t too shallow or feeling weird out about the age difference, I would make it my point to see him just to be around him.”

Jasmine manages to crack a smile at that as she reaches the elevator bank, pushing the down button on the wall: “Sounds like an interesting prognosis you made there.”

“Heh, yeah kinda.” Janelly brushes her hair over her shoulders as the elevator ‘bings’ to their floor, opening up. “There’s your ride and don’t you dare show up here tomorrow. You need to rest up and get some time off. Don’t worry about work. Whenever you’re ready to come back it’ll still be here.”

Throwing her arms around the young woman, Jasmine nods, batting away a tear that rose from her eye. She embraces her thanking her and steps into the elevator ready to take her home. Upon exiting the building of her job, she spots her husband’s silver Chrysler convertible waiting across the street for her. A smile crosses her face for one of the few times since the tragedy, quickly getting into the car to feel her husband’s arms around her.

“I was thinking about you today. Tomorrow no work, you hear me? You’re staying home and don’t you think about sending Eli to school either.” Roger states over the humming of the car’s soft engine.

Sniffing a little, she puts on a fake smile and sees her little daughter buckled up behind her smiling at her. “How was she today at school?”

“Good from what I got from the teacher. I was running late and she ended up being the last child picked up. I felt so bad there.”

“Awww.” She runs her hands through Eliez’s golden hair, eager to cuddle her to her side.

Eliez grins and shoves her little drawing in the back part of the car hiding it from her mother as she lets out a yawn.

“Honey we should stop by a place to eat. Eli is getting sleepy and I don’t want her to get rest before eating.”

Roger nods and drives down the road riding for a few moments in silence. Eliez raises her hands in the air and smiles enjoying the cool breeze on her. Jasmine leans back in passenger seat running her hands over the seatbelt.

“Mommy?”

“Yes sugar?” Jasmine turns to her smiling.

“I think miss A is scared.”

Jasmine shakes her head confused: “What do you mean?”

“Nothing…” She whispers out, feeling her father’s gaze through the car side window.

“Ooohh. Ok then.” Jasmine eyes her child before turning forward on the seat seeing the café a few blocks down.
~*~


He watches Brian ramble on and on about something great he saw in a movie the other time, his ears tuned out to the conversation as he scans the restaurant. Clearing his throat, he speaks over Brian: “We got company.”

Brian stops mid-sentence and looks over to where Damien was eyeing a couple with their child. “Ooohh what a small world this is. Heh, the Carters themselves.”

A.J. grins, turning around to spot the three people sitting in a booth at a corner. “Dude, you think that lady is gonna know what’s up?”

“She doesn’t have a clue. Looks like her hubby didn’t spill the beans.” Damien whispers out.

“You don’t know that.” Brian quips up.

‘Trust me, if she knew I would be in questioning right now cuffed.” Damien sits back, sipping his drink.

Brian snorts: “Its not your fault. You were just following orders.”

“I try to make happy and things always backfire on me. I wouldn’t be surprised if this all blows up back in my face.” Damien taps his fingers on the table.

“And if that doesn’t work out, I’m sure getting screwed up in the ass won’t be too bad.” A.J. smiles.

Damien smirks, shaking his head feeling the boring of Eliez’s eyes on him. “Shit. She sees us. I’m out.” He quickly exits the restaurant from the front leaning against the brick wall.

Brian raises his eyebrows and snorts: “I don’t know why Roger called him to pull it off. It would have been better if he had gotten someone else for the job.”

“Yeah I know. He actually feels bad now. But I’m like who cares, the broad was asking for it if you ask me and personally I think her husband’s idea was beautifully executed.” A.J. sits back in the booth eying the couple in the corner booth.

“Whatever. I think it’s the guilt. I would feel bad too if I was D plus he hasn’t gotten any good sleep since it happened. I get calls all hours in the night from him cause he’s getting paranoid the police are on him.” Brian whispers out, drumming his fingers on the table top.

“Heh…like I said, the job was too much for him.” A.J. shrugs, exiting the same way to track down his friend. Spotting Damien against the wall smoking, he smirks going over to him. “Dude you need to take a breather. Its not that serious.”

“Oh no…of course not. Cause your name isn’t the one involved. I’m taking the heat for all of ya.” Damien blows out smoke, dropping the cigarette on the ground, crunching it out to extinguish it.

A.J. rolls eyes: “Gimme one.”

Damien tosses the pack of Mulberry cigarettes to him and looks around wearily. “We’re in some serious crap. When the lady finds out though.” He smiles, “I’ll be at home celebrating.”

“Yeah I bet you will.” A.J. speaks, his lips pursed together to hold the unlit cigarette between his lips.

“I’m gonna head home. I had enough with the eating for today.”

A.J. smirks: “I won’t. When I get home I’ll invite my girl over and I can have some cherries.”

Damien smirks, “Nice one. Tell Brian I’m out.”

“Out of what?” Brian steps out of the restaurant hearing them.

“I meant heading home dick ward.” Damien smirks taking out his car keys.

“Yeah well at least I have one.” Brian beams innocently as A.J. snickers.

“Don’t be so sure about that. Using your finger for measurements doesn’t count.” Damien heads his car as A.J. chuckles.

“Low blow! Low blow!” Brian smirks.

“What? Yeah I get a blow job.” Damien teases, getting into his car as A.J. lit up his cigarette.

Brian shakes his head, patting A.J. on his shoulders, “I’ll talk to you later, I gotta pick some stuff up before wifey blows a fuse.”

“Man you’re so whipped.” A.J mutters, leaning against the brick wall, smoke escaping his mouth.

Brian “Better whipped than hiding out to get some.” He grins walking away as A.J. snorts not bothering with the man.

“Ass wipe.” He grumbles under his breath, heading down the block.
~*~

Jasmine pulls the blanket over Eliez, smiling as she lays delicate kisses on her little cheeks and hands. “Night smookie.”

“Night mommy.” Eliez smiles: cuddling into her pillow. Jasmine turns on the night light, quietly closing the door behind as she steps out of the room.

Sighing, she walks down the hallway, the wood panels shining dully in the silver cascading moon light. Walking into the master bedroom, she sees Roger looking through a large cardboard box.

“Honey what are you looking for?” Jasmine glances over to him.

Roger turns and kisses her: “Nothing sweetie. You go rest up, I’m gonna do some cleaning around.”

“Its too early to sleep. Its only ten.”

“You need the rest anyways. Don’t worry about it. I’ll join ya in a few.” He whispers, kissing her and going back to look through some boxes.

“Fine…” She sighs, settling down on the bed, pulling the bedcovers over her body entirely. “Night honey.” She can hear him say muffled as she smiles and tries to close her eyes for some form of sleep.
~*~

She pants heavily, struggling to reach the phone ringing loudly.

“No let it ring.” Damien pants as she pushes him off her.

Grabbing it from the night stand besides the bed, she smirks and whispers out of breath: “Hello?”

A.J. burst out laughing on the other line: “Well hey Ari sweetie, you sound a little winded there. Hope I didn’t intrude on anything.”

“Shut up.” She smirks, handing the phone to Damien besides her on the bed as she pulls the covers up around her.

“Oh you got to be kidding me?” Damien grumbles taking the phone: “What?!”

A.J.’s laughter got louder hearing his friend annoyed on the other line. “Man you guys are cranky.”

“Yeah well I was kinda in the middle of something. I’m disconnecting the phone next time cause you have bad timing on things.” Damien smirks, sitting up.

“Heh…actually I called cause I want you to check the news right now. They found something and I think you should see it.”

“What is it?” Damien frowns, wrapping a blanket around his waist.

“Just turn on the T.V. to the WX news. They’re doing a report on the incident and you might find something interesting coming from it.”

Narrowing his eyes, Damien quickly crawls to the end of his bed and turns on the T.V, the news popping up as a reporter stands before the road where the crash was.

Listening to the news for a few minutes, he drops the phone at the sound of his name mentioned from the reporter as ‘Being the last in contact with the missing man. Police are beginning to narrow their search to start questioning the man’s company beginning with his close friend.’

Arianna gulps and eyes him, crawling over to him to wrap her arms from behind him around his neck kissing his neck softly: “They’re lying. They don’t know what they’re talking about baby. Its just a conspiracy.”

Damien shrugs her off him and frowns, his eyes remaining fixated on the news before him.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Changing Reality by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”

~Chapter Seven- Changing Reality

She hears a faint sound out in the hallway, sitting up slowly she perks her ears up to hear the rustle turn into what seemed like light footsteps passing her room. She looks over to see Roger in deep sleep, his arm thrown over his eyes as his light breathing comes out in whispers. Gulping, she clutches her blanket and slides it off her as curiosity seeped into her, drawing her to seek out the object of that sound. Her bare feet touch the soft rug beneath her as she inches her way to the door, stepping out of her room. Brushing back a few stray golden locks behind her ears, she opens the door and steps out of the room. Her eyes scan the dark hallway as she exhaling to see it was nothing but a soft breeze coming from the hall window. Smiling, she was about to enter her room when she senses something odd and turns around to see a shadowed man before her.

Her heart jumps to her throat as she watches the man step closer to her, grabbing her arm. Yelping out, she was about to scream when the figure stepped into the faint morning light for her to see. Gasping, she drops to her knees, her vision becoming hazy at the sight of her son.

“Nick!” She cries out, reaching out to him as he kneels down and embraces her tightly whispering in her ear that he’s safe and nothing to worry about.

“But they found your body. I saw you…I saw you gone from me.” She chokes out, freely crying as Nick’s arms held onto her tighter trying to keep her calm.

“Mom, look I’m ok. Shh it’s ok. Sorry I had you worried but see, look I’m fine. I’m right here.” Nick whispers in her trembling ear, running a hand down her hair. “Your boy is right here. I won’t scare you like that again.”

“Ohh Nick I was worried about you! I thought you left and was never coming back home.”

“No look I’m here. I did come back home.” Nick smiles as Jasmine runs her hands down his cheeks, her heart evoking joy and happiness with the reunion of her son in her arms again.

“Oh I missed you so much. But you’re here and that’s all that matters.” She whispers out as Nick pulls away from her a sudden frown crossing his lips. He stands and seems to change suddenly pulling her by the arm.

She blinks and realizes it wasn’t her son but rather his friend Damien who seemed to pull out a blade from behind his back pocket. Her mouth drops and she backs away stunned at how this can happen when her security system was set on high and the alarms didn’t go off.

“Shhh…stay quiet. Try not to scream too loud.” Damien whispers, placing a pointer finger on his lips as he snickers.

“Oh God!” She screams out, snapping open her eyes as she jolts up in bed gasping for air. She can feel the cold sweat cover her skin, her silk gown stuck to her back. Searching for a glass of water on her night stand, she sits up trying to calm down from the nightmare. She couldn’t understand her dreams, those nightmares. But she realized that tomorrow will be her son’s funeral and she hope to God that maybe her dream was a vision of something else, that maybe Nick really was alive and he was trying to speak to her in some way. Or maybe that so called friend of his had something to do with his disappearance. Whatever the case, she’ll find out soon, she has to, to relieve the burden and stress that plaques and dwells in her all the time.

Taking a big gulp of air, she nervously wipes a hand over her sweaty forehead lying back down near her husband who shifts and wraps an arm around her waist pulling her in for comfort. Sniffing, she gazes at him waiting for the morning to arrive already.
~*~

He seemed dazed as the camera crew set up another shot for the mini movie. Arianna sighs, seeing A.J. strolling on the set.

“Hey.”

A.J. simply gives her a quick nod to acknowledge her as his eyes fall on Damien who was sitting in the director’s chair lost in thought.

“He’s been like that since last night.” Arianna exhales, shaking her head.

“Damn, I need to stop making calls in the middle of your sex. That isn’t doing well for him.” A.J. jokes seeing a slight smirk cross her lips.

“Yeah… we really didn’t get a chance to finish last night and it was getting good too.” She breaks into a smile as A.J. chuckles.

“Alright, moving on…don’t need to know this.” A.J. goes to the buffet table to grab a Pepsi can and pops in open.

Damien slumps back in the director’s chair looking around at the people there when he feels a cold liquid splash on the crotch of his pants. Gasping, he looks up to see a young golden hair woman smiling innocently as she giggles.

“Haha Makenzie, real funny.” Damien grumbles, reaching for a towel to try to wipe himself up as best as he could.

Makenzie laughs harder, her emerald eyes sparkling in mischief: “Actually I found it quite funny if I should say so myself. And mister grumpy face if you notice there is no filming happening here I just thought you needed to wake up first.”

“I am awake.” Damien smirks, watching A.J. stroll up along side the woman snickering.

“Doesn’t that feel great in the morning? A nice drink for the dick. See you’re wide awake now.” He smiles as Makenzie smirks, leaning into the man.

A.J. grins wrapping an arm around her waist: “Is the big man bothering you again? Want me to kick his ass again?”

Makenzie grins, “Na, I can probably take him myself.”

“Yeah that’s my girl!” A.J. pumps his fist in the air at that.

Laughing, Damien watches them: “And can I ask why you decided to stop by here you two?”

“Thought you needed the company. And besides what are friends for if I can’t be here to help support him right?” A.J. wiggles his eyebrows causing Makenzie to giggle.

“I think its time for guy talk, I’ll let you guys be alone. Just make sure to behave and don’t let me see things I shouldn’t.” She smirks, heading over to the production assistant to start the next part of the film.

“Come on man, it’s not that bad.” A.J. turns serious: “It’s just news talking. And besides until they get a warrant on your ass you’ll be fine. You didn’t do anything.”

“It doesn’t matter. Who do you think the judge will listen to, a mourning mother or a young guy off the streets with a bad background? I say they’ll chose the latter.”

“Dude you need to stop being so hard on yourself. I’m as much as involved in this as you are. Hell Makenzie doesn’t even know about this and she’s dating me.” A.J. whispers out.

Damien sighs, shaking his head: “What are we doing huh? I mean seriously, what were we thinking to go along with that plan?”

“Hmmm…let’s see… great financial benefits, access to the hottest equipments around and a hot tub. Heh…yeah…I really like the hot tub.” A.J. smiles thinking about the trouble he caused in there with his girlfriend last night.

Damien shakes his head: “I just want to take it all back. It’s not even worth it. I can’t go on like this waiting to see if I’m gonna get arrested or caught. Its bothering me. I can’t believe you don’t have any guilt from this.”

“Yo man, it’s for her help! Her benefit. We’re doing her a big favor helping her out. Think about it! How long you gonna let her…” A.J. stops mid-sentence as Makenzie goes over to them: holding a bottle of water.

“So boys, playtime over. Are we filming or what?” She ties up her hair in a messy bun: strands of loose honeysuckle strand topple from the hairstyle.

Damien smirks, “Yeah, yeah heard ya the first time. Don’t get your pantyhose in a knot.” He picks up the script heading over to the stage set area calling out positions as the cameras are set up to start the filming.
~*~

Roger checks the answering machine and frowns hearing the officer in the other line requesting a photo for Nick’s identification. Looking around the living room to see if the coast was clear, he quickly pushes the erase button: discharging the message. Smiling, he wipes his hands against one another and walks to the kitchen to set up the final funeral arrangements left.
~*~

“And mommy it was big like boom and I said hi and he was like hiiiiiiiiiiii.” Eliez excitedly tells her mother about her new friend in the classroom. Jasmine smiles: seeing her little girl sitting on the edge of her little bed in a lilac gown with little bears on it.

“Well that sounds like a fun day then. And what’s his name sweetie?”

Eliez sits and thinks through the question before babbling out softly, “Frankie”

“Aww well that’s nice. Is Frankie nice to you?”

“Yup and he has big toys too, like cars that vroom and ooooh oooh special toys too.”

Jasmine laughs, pulling her daughter onto her lap kissing her face mercilessly causing Eliez to squeal in laughter.

“Well that’s good you guys are friends and he can come over whenever he wants to.” Jasmine beams at how happy her daughter seemed despite what is happening with the loss in the family.

Eliez frowns and shakes her head rapidly: “No…he can’t be here. No good. Nick get mad.”

Jasmine frowns, not liking the comment and eyes her: “Honey what are you talking about?” She gulps watching Eliez giggles.

“Nick will be mad if Frankie comes here.”

“Why sweetie?” Jasmine sniffs, not liking where the conversation was heading.

Eliez whispers out it slowly and almost hauntingly, “Cause its not his home. He needs to go home. Frankie doesn’t belong here. Only Nick does.”

Jasmine chokes out: “Ok…ok sugarplum if you feel that way. Then Frankie won’t come over here.”

“Mommy you sad?” Eliez frowns, pouting.

“Just a little.” Jasmine clears her throat, putting Eliez back on the bed. “Why don’t we get some breakfast honey, your daddy is making some for you.”

“Yay! Daddy make pancake?”

“Whatever you want angel.” Jasmine smiles, swallowing: feeling the lump in her throat.

“Hehe ok.” And Eliez jumps off the bed eagerly running out of the room and down the hallway.

Whispering she looks around her daughter’s room sadly: “She needs help…”
~*~


She runs over to answer the phone snapping her gum as she giggles watching Makenzie jump on a sofa swinging her flaxen hair wildly to Aerosmith’s song “Pink” giggling, waving her hands in the air.

Arianna holds back a laugh: “Hello?”

“Hello, am I speaking with a Arianna Brown?” A gruff disguised male voice asks.

“Ummm…yeah this is she?”

“Well see I’ve been getting reports that an awful screeching is coming from your house so I’ll need to go investigate it if you don’t mind.”

Arianna laughs recognizing the voice on the other line: “Not my fault, she loves music.”

“Aw well that’s too bad. Heh, what are you girls doing anyways?” Damien asks, leaning back in his chair in the small cubicle, looking at the x rated film on his lap top laughing.

“Goofing off and what’s so funny?”

“A.J. he sent me a video and I downloaded it and now its porn flashing across the screen.” Damien clicks out of the video snickering.

Laughing, Arianna watches Makenzie hop around on the sofa, singing to a couch pillow with all her heart to My Chemical Romance’s “Helena”

“Seriously I can see why A.J. is with her, they’re both out there.” Arianna cracks up seeing Makenzie breeze past her leaping onto a stool and shaking her hips to the song.

“Haha no kidding. Listen…what do you want me to bring home tonight? You up for anything for dinner?”

“Hmmm…ooohhh you know what would be good: glazed turkey with mash potatoes, tater tots and oohh radish with oh god that stuffing and…”

“Whoo whoo. Chill out girl.” Damien smirks getting out of a computer program and begins to type up a report. “That’s a lot you want. Let me rephrase that, one thing you want to eat cause you gonna make me buy out the supermarket with all that.”

“Heh, sorry I’m hungry that’s why and I had a craving for turkey since seeing Makenzie bounce around like one.” Arianna giggles, dodging a pillow thrown from her.

“I’ll see what I can do and what am I getting out of all this?”

“Ohhh…” Arianna grins, “That little number you bought me a while back that I never wore…remember the black satin pirate get up?”

Damien smirks, “Yeah…”

“Well if I’m bad you can send me to walk on your plank.”

Makenzie dies at the comment: “I’ve been a bad bad girl Captain Smith, send me to the plank at once!”

Arianna burst out laughing as Damien shakes his head holding back a laughter as he sees a police officer walking down the aisle approaching him. “Baby…baby…shhh…quiet, I have to let you go. The cops are here.”

Arianna gasps: “What?! Oh my God!”

“No don’t worry it’ll be fine. Don’t stress. I’ll call you later today when I get out of work.” Damien whispers out, gulping as a police officer eyes him sternly. “I have to go…bye baby.”

“Ummm ok…love you.” Arianna calls out worriedly.

“Love you too. Bye.” He hangs up eying the officer who pulls out a pad with a pen.

“I’m officer Dorough from precinct 15, you Damien correct?” The man gruffly states.

Damien could sense the other co-workers eyes on them as he stands nodding: “Yeah, what’s wrong?”

“Sir you’ll need to come to the precinct now.”

“Why?”

The officer eyes him and pulls out handcuffs: “Look you have two choices. You can go free willing right now with me or I can force you and you’ll be brought in with cuffs. It’s really those options. Choose wisely.” The officer states, patiently watching the young man.

Damien gulps, seeing the man’s ID: “Yeah ok…I’ll go…officer…” He leans over to read the name on the man’s badge: “Dorough.”

“Good, let’s go then.” Howie leads the way out as Damien can feel the penetrating eyes on him from everyone at the job.

Howie stands at the elevator eyeing him: “Don’t worry its not a big deal. We just need to ask you for a few things and we’ll let you go. You’re not in trouble with us, so don’t worry.”

“Right ok…” Damien whispers out shakily, being lead out of the building and to the police car. Sliding in the backseat, he watches Howie board the driver’s seat and drives off back to the precinct.

“Do you know why you’re getting called in?” Howie asks, his eyes focus on the road before him.

“Well you said it was for questioning.”

“Right but on what is what I mean.” Howie glances at the rearview mirror checking the lane behind him and drives.

“Ohhh, I don’t know.”

Howie snorts: “The hell you don’t.”

“What the hell is going on?!” Damien narrows his eyes placing his hands on the grate that separates the driver and backseat.

“Jumpy much?”

“Its not that, I just think I have the right to know what’s going on.” Damien frowns, slumping back in the seat.

“Well don’t you worry. I mean it’s not like your guilty of anything right?” Howie looks to the mirror to see the man’s face expressionless behind him and shakes his head slowly, taking the highway to beat the traffic.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Not Alone by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”


**~Chapter Eight-Not Alone

He follows the officer inside of the police station bumping into a cuffed criminal hissing out at him laughing. Frowning, Damien walks into the station being directed to a seat inside a small office. Sighing, he plops down on a leather seat, the room so closed in as if almost caving him in with the sloped off white walls. Officer Dorough taps his fingers on the desk walking past him taking a seat across from him. Pulling out a sheet of paper and a manila folder, he eyes him and smiles.

“I’m not here to force you into saying anything. It’ll be a few questions and real fast so you can get back to work.”

Damien nods and sits back eyeing the folder as he begins to nervously shake his leg, sitting up.

Howie opens the folder, his eyes focused on some pictures and looks over to the young man. “Alright…this is what’s going on. Your name was mentioned if you’ve been keeping up with the news about knowing the man that was murdered off the roadside the other day. Now I need you to tell me how did you meet him?”

Damien snorts and shakes his head: “We grew up alongside each other. Basically best friends. Our families were near each other and we were hanging out.”

“Ok so you’re around the man’s age correct?” Howie drums the pen against the folder.

Damien nods and clears his throat, keeping his eyes on the manila folder across him.

“Ok and did you notice if Nick was acting oddly the night of his death? It was said you were the last to talk to him, what was that about?”

Damien licks his lower lip and sighs: “He just called talking about his girlfriend.” He smirks looking around.

“His girlfriend? What’s her name?”

“I don’t think I should say, I don’t want her involved in this.” Damien mutters scratching at his fingernail.

“We’re not going to question her, unless the court needs it for later witnesses. Just looking for some answers sir.”

“Right. Her ummm…her name is Arianna.”

“Ok.” Howie smiles, watching him: “What was her reaction when she found out about his death?”

Damien raises his eyebrows and shrugs: “She was upset I guess…” He tries to hold back a smirk, keeping his vision on the floor before looking up so as not to laugh right there and then.

“Alright, and that was the whole discussion?”

“I told him to not drive in the weather. It was a thunderstorm that night and he was driving all fast to get to his place.”

“He lived alone?”

Damien nods and smirks: “Yeah down by the side village off Amsterdam.”

Howie raises his eyebrows and shrugs: “I never heard of that place.”

“Its not easy to find, usually the natives around here can locate it.”

“Ok…well maybe we can set up a day for you show me exactly where he lived at. Is that alright with you?” Howie gazes at him.

Damien shrugs: “I’ll have to see…my job is hard on letting me get free days off.”

“I’m sure we can talk them into letting you have a day off. This is important in case we need to bring this issue up and take it up to court. So you understand how valuable it is for us to see this right?”

Damien snorts out: “Yeah…”

“Ok well good. You’re done. See that was it. Nothing to it. You can go back to work now.”

Damien nods and exits the office, heading out of the station laughing softly to himself as he heads to the street corner to hail a cab.

A.J. yawns, hearing his cell go off. Struggling to find it in the dark, he picks it up: “Yo this Alex’s whorehouse, what type of whore you interested in today?”

Damien smirks, leaning back in the taxi seat: “Just got out of the police station.”

A.J. blinks: “Oh shit for real? Damn, dude what happened?”

“Nothing…I guess you were right. The guy that was questioning me doesn’t know the area, I told him about Amsterdam.”

A.J. sips on his drink at that and snickers almost choking on his drink. “Haha and what he said man?”

“Dude looked at me like what the hell? Had no clue where that was and oooh get this, he wants me to take him to Nick’s house there.” Damien mumbles, watching the taxi driver turn onto a highway.

“Ahh hell that ain’t good! What the hell are we gonna do man? Nothing is set up there yet.” A.J. pulls out a loosey, putting the cigarette in his mouth and lights it up.

“No kidding. Brian is still getting some stuff ready, I think I should tell the cop to give me till like next week, by then Brian should have everything all organized. I don’t need to be walking in there to an empty apartment.” Damien mumbles out, his light eyes watching the other cars zoom past the taxi he’s in.

“Yeah don’t worry, I’ll get Brian right on that. 5-0 is already starting to piss me off and we can’t let that cop questioning you get wind on the plan.” A.J. blows out smoke, walking to his living room, plopping down on the sofa and props his legs up on the coffee table before him.

“Thanks, I need to hear that and dude don’t let him screw this shit over. I can’t be looking anymore guilty than I already look. I see the way Mrs. Carter looks at me at times like I had something to do with it.”

A.J. chuckles: “Well you did have something to do with it along with me and B-rok. But don’t worry, I got it all set up. You just chill and screw that beautiful blonde you have back there at home.”

“Heh…” Damien smirks: “I should tell you to do the same thing.”

“But of course…I don’t need anyone to tell me, you already know I got my girl to do fantastic things.” A.J. grins manically, jokily laughing.

Damien laughs: “Man you’re such a stupid ass sometimes.”

“Hey watch that tone with me!” A.J. laughs as Damien sees the taxi turn back down towards the office building.

“I gotta go. Back to work. See ya tomorrow at the funeral man.” Damien smirks, paying the driver and exits.

“Aight man, talk to ya later and tell Arianna I can hear her big mouth when she’s coming from down the two blocks.” A.J. jokes.

Damien cracks up: “Haha k, I’ll tell her to bite a pillow then. See ya, bye.” Hanging up, he smirks and heads back to work.
~*~

She feels his hands slide down her inner thigh working its way up to her side of her panties. Opening her legs a little, she can feel her husband’s hand caress her inner parts, stroking and rubbing, teasing and pulling causing her to exhale deeply, biting her lower lip. She missed these moments when Roger was away from work, the times when they can get to express their love and become intimate in ways that brought her to ecstasy once again. Her eyelids flutter as she can feel his lips trace down her neckline causing her to shiver and sigh breathlessly as her hips buck with his touch. He kept his hand down below, sliding a finger in seeing her reaction as she takes a sharp intake of air softly moaning out. He slides another finger in as she gasps, feeling herself becoming wet upon his hand.

“Roger…how I missed this.” Jasmine moans out bucking her hips to his hand with every touch.

“Shhh…my love just enjoy it. I’ll take care of it all.” He whispers out crawling on top of her, kissing her jaw line. She runs her hands through his hair smiling up at him, her hand brushing up against the base of his neck. Slowly sliding down his briefs, she feels him against her completely aroused and smiles. She runs her hands down his spine as her panties slid off her, her short gown lifts up over her head as her husband caresses her body with kisses, lifting her hips up as he becomes one with her. She gasps out, loving every touch and kiss with more intensity, her golden tresses begin getting moist against her flushed and heated skin as they made love that early morning.

Roger grinds his hips against her, as they flow rhythmically with each other: pleasure soaring and taking them to another level, a higher ground as if almost they were floating, lost within each other seeking to remain in each other’s lust and desire.

Jasmine smiles holding her husband close to her, wanting his body pressed against her for a while even after they made loved. She wanted that sense of security and become lost in his world, she needed and craved for the passion as she feels herself moan with each thrust, her back arching against each of Roger’s erotic touches within her and around her. She felt like she was thrown in a world of sensations, every part of her body eager to anticipate a form of delight. She gently scratches her husband’s back as she becomes close to climaxing hearing her husband’s heavy breathing against the base of her neck. She softly moans, gasping as she feels herself soar out, every part of her body overwhelmed with desires and pleasures that can only be met to such a degree. She was brought back down again and the moment she believed she was doing well, there the explosion of pleasure rises up taking her away again before bringing her back down to earth.

Catching her breath after their love making, she rolls to her side, running a hand down her husband’s cheek joyous for their unity. She was surprised to have some amazing love making since it’s been a while for her because of her husband’s active surgery job. But she was grateful and breaths out a sigh of relief as Roger kisses her hand. She loved the idea that for this morning everything was just right but as she thought about it, she knew why her husband did it.

Today was her son’s funeral and for perhaps that one time at the moment, Roger wanted to help her forget the loss and mourning and bring her to a place of fantasy, of excitement and desire. And for that, she was thankful yet she had to face the worst thing she dreaded today: the burial of her son.
~*~

She hums, looking through the closet for something to wear and frowns: “Baby what are you wearing?”

Damien looks up from ironing and shrugs: “Something black?”

“Funny. Haha. Come on Damien for real.”

He smirks and turns off the iron, picking up a black dress shirt, tossing it on the unmade bed. “I don’t care. It doesn’t matter, everyone is wearing the same color the way I see it.”

“Its not about that, you’re paying homage to your friend and you need to dress right.” Arianna grumbles, going to the closet shoving hangers of clothes aside and pressed against each other.

Damien mutters: “Why are we going? Does it matter?”

Arianna faces him and snorts: “You’re kidding me right? You know why you need to be there.”

“No, why don’t you tell me.” Damien stretches and coming up behind her picking her up as she squeals.

Giggling, she kisses him: “Put me down. We need to get ready for the funeral.”

“You didn’t answer the question.” Damien kisses her neck as she shivers, putting her back down.

“You know why, now stop before I get distracted.” Arianna smirks, pulling out a black frayed dress.

“That’s a nice homely dress.” Damien snickers, getting a playful push away from her.

“Gee thanks. I’ll remember that.” Arianna walks past him in: a low cut black satin short lingerie, her panties matching the rest of the lingerie.

Damien drops his eyes down below to see her legs: as she walks pass him smirking.

“Like what you see?” Arianna wiggles her eyebrows, teasing him as she crawls on the bed slowly in an alluring way.

“Damn…makes me wanna tie you down right now for that.” Damien smirks, going to the closet to find a pair black pants and matching dress tuxedo jacket. “Honestly I don’t wanna go. But for the sake of the plan I’m going.”

Arianna sits up, her legs before her on the bed, pulling a leg up to her chest as she adjust her lace top part of the lingerie, the top of her breasts almost popping out of the top.

Taking the clothes out of the closet, he turns around and blinks, dropping it on the floor and smirks. Crawling on the bed over her, he leans over kissing her.

“We have fifteen minutes to get this done, I don’t want to be late to the church.” She smirks.

Damien smirks and lays her down kissing her hoping that they have enough time. The last they needed to be was late because of sex.
~*~

Eliez frowns at the black stockings she’s wearing, constantly tugging at it to ease the discomfort and itch that seemed to be a slight problem with wearing such things as these.

“Stop doing that, you’ll ruin it.” Jasmine whispers, sniffing as Roger pulls up to the church and parks.

“Sorry…mommy I don’t wanna be here.” Eliez calls out, frowning at the sight of the small mass of mourning people standing before the church.

Clearing her throat, Jasmine manages to break a smile and turns to the backseat eyeing her daughter: “Baby, you know why it’s important we’re all here. This is where we say bye to your brother for a while.”

“But mommy, Nick isn’t sleeping. He’s not here. Mommy I know, he told me today. He back home.” Eliez whispers out.

Roger honks the horn and turns back eyeing his daughter: “Stop saying those things, Eli. You can’t see him. He’s sleeping. He’s not coming back so stop it.”

Eliez frowns and sniffs: “But…

“No more. It stops now Eli.” Roger darkly states, his eyes narrow at the site of the people standing before the church. “Let’s go. Its time to start the funeral.”

Jasmine gulps and steps out, taking her daughter out of the car as they proceed to the church.
~*~

“Ok…well at least this is a nice farewell party.” A.J. scans the perimeter of the large red bricked church, the tall arch windows covered with a small cross design on the corners of it. He could feel his hand being squeezed by Makenzie as he looks over to her and smiles: “What honey?”

“Are they late? I don’t see them. This is the right place right?”

A.J. nods, “Yeah the traffic sucks in the morning, you know how that is. I’m sure they’re on their way now.”

As he finished saying that, Makenzie turns around at the sound of a black Saturn pulling up to the parking lot.

“Oh they made it!” Makenzie smiles: seeing Arianna stepping out of the car heading their direction.

“About time. I was wondering about you two.” A.J. grunts out as Damien reaches him and smirks.

“Yeah sorry about that, we ran into a slight delay, not a big deal.” Damien smiles, fixing the black tie.

A.J. snickers: “Nice, you two fu-…” He stops mid-sentence as Damien points to the church.

“Have some consideration…we’re standing in front of a church man.” Damien grins.

“Hmmm…cked.” A.J. grins causing Makenzie to snicker, shaking her head.

Damien rolls his eyes: “Yeah it was great, had her screaming my name out for a while.”

Arianna rolls her eyes, walking to the church as Makenzie follows behind.

Whispering out, A.J. leans over to his friend to inform him that Brian was on his way along with his wife and should be here shortly.

“Good…” Damien looks around nervously, shoving his hands inside his pant pockets.

“It’ll be fine. You got what you gonna say about him right?” A.J. eyes him.

“Yeah…just I think this is getting a little out of line, don’t you think? I mean how long do we have to play this game with her?”

“As long as she doesn’t know the truth.” A.J. eyes him, pulling on his black dress shirt rolled up to his elbows, the black tie swinging side to side in the warm breeze.

“Yeah I guess.” Damien mutters, heading inside the church with A.J.
~*~

The first few rows of pews were filled with close family and friends as the minister appears on the stage. A large white and blue printed vase stood below him with adorning of flowers and wreaths around it. No pictures were placed around it for Jasmine didn’t have the heart to see a picture of her son around that. She didn’t want to believe her child was gone forever and not waking up. She can feel the warm tears flood down her cheeks as her vision clouds up before her. She feels her daughter’s hand clasps tightly around hers as her husband rubs her lower back gently taking her other hand in his, squeezing it softly.

She looks around and sees Nick’s friends made it to the funeral as they sat in the last row, their heads drop to the floor as if they were caught in a middle of prayer of some kind. Gulping: Jasmine turns back to see Arianna with her family whispering something to each other shaking their heads sadly at the funeral. Sniffing, she barely listened to the minister’s speech, her thoughts flooded with memories and sadness, she was surprised she was still sitting up right.

She blinks as she looks over to see Damien head to the front of the stage standing behind the podium, adjusting the microphone. He breathes out slowly looking at the small crowd feeling the eyes of Jasmine on him.

“Its hard to start a speech knowing the fact that a good friend of mines passed away. The thought never crossed my mind at how fast life can be and what a gift it is. I guess I forget those things when you’re young. You know that whole ‘live for the moment’ type aura. Nick…there was something about him, he had his life set out for him, everything he wanted he got. Determined more than anyone I ever saw, he was a person that took life and lived it. Growing up besides him, seeing the type of man he turned out for his family…it’s mind blowing.” Damien looks over at Roger who smiles and nods as Damien continues his speech: “I don’t want to take advantage of what life has to offer to me. Nick man, you’ll be missed. Hoping Heaven has a Jacuzzi, knowing you: you’ll be there with some angels around you.” He could hear some sad chuckling at the comment as he steps down and heads back to the pew seeing A.J. smirk.

“Nice one…had me fooled there for a second and everything.” A.J. smirks, eyeing him.

Damien gulps, holding back a smirk as the minister takes the stage again.

Jasmine watches as each person placed a prayer and flower besides the vase where the cremated ashes of Nick are in. She tries to hold herself together as the last of the people exit the church leaving just her and a few others behind.

Brian sighs, walking over to her to pull her into an embrace as she smiles sadly, accepting the welcoming hug.

“He’s in a better place now. He’s always with you in your heart.” Brian whispers out.

Jasmine sobs, the tears now freely escaping down her cheeks sniffing: “I just miss him so much. I can’t believe this.”

Damien sees Roger walk pass him: “Wait…its over now right?”

Roger smiles with a quick nod: “Yeah…just be careful with what you say. I won’t get you out of trouble if you say the wrong things kid.”

Damien nods: “Right…”

Makenzie sitting in a pew besides Arianna, watches her in the black soft frayed dress and grabs her hand: “I don’t know how long you and Nick knew each other, but I’m sorry for the lost. I’m sure Nick was a great man.”

Arianna grins, eyeing the large vase with interest: “Ohhh I’m sure he was too…”

Damien goes over to the women, taking Arianna’s hand: “Come on, let’s go.” He whispers out as Arianna smirks getting up exiting the church with him.

Makenzie raises her eyebrows, looking over at A.J. who smiles and stretches out his hand to her. Taking it, she eyes him strangely wondering if she missed something in this funeral that seemed to make them act oddly.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
He Said, She Said by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”

~Chapter Nine-He Said, She Said

He turns off the television, frustrated with the lack of information he had gathered earlier. Annoyed, he decided to take matters into his own hands and seek out the answers himself. Grabbing his car keys, he flies out of his apartment and decides to take a drive around to at least clear his head for a few hours until word gets back to him.

Howie blows out a puff of air, sliding into the driver’s seat of his red sedan turning on the air conditioner. Feeling the rush of cold air blast his skin, he slides down the soft cushioned seat to enjoy the breeze as his thoughts go back to the case he was assigned to. He couldn’t figure out why Winterland assigned him to a task if he couldn’t even see the actual body. Not that it mattered, the body was immediately disposed and burned, cremated for the man’s funeral so all the evidence Howie needed was gone along with the body. Tapping his fingers against the steering wheel, he decided to head back down IS26 passing the large green sign saying Westchester on the roadside. The early morning fog in the air seemed to have the sky darken, the dreary humid day blocking out the sunlight that morning as he pushes down on the pedal to accelerate, quickly passing down familiar streets.

He rubs the back of his hand against his forehead thinking through the case, trying to envision why a man fully capable of driving could have road off the side of the road yet there seemed to be no form of alcohol or any cause of mild illnesses in the body. He enters the highway driving quickly to the scene to scan over and perhaps study out the crime scene more to understand the cause of the crime. The only solution he could conclude from the man’s death was the weather, but he himself had driven safely to and fro from the police station, so he wasn’t sure if the accident was really what it was. Reaching a small gap off the side of the road a few feet ahead, he slows down and stops, pulling over to the side to look to the left of him to see the broken metal railing, dents and punctured as if a car was rammed and succeeded in going through. He drums his fingers against the steering wheel, he flings open the car door stepping out, making his way over to the large gaping hole off the side of the road. His dark eyes survey the drop and frowns, seeing yellow police tape twenty feet down around the ruined red sports car, Howie decides to check out the area below him and gets back in his car, turning around and takes a small lane turning down to the plot of land where the ruined vehicle was found. Curiosity getting to him, he stops the car suddenly, jumping out to run over to the taped off car.

Pulling out a small pen light, he shines it down on the flipped over car on the front seat to see a few stray what seemed to him blood drops splattered across the dashboard and front window. Dropping down on his knees, he crawls under the tape line and scans the pen light over a small bundle in the corner of the car, laying on the inside of the car, lying on the ceiling.

“Heh well, look at that.” He whispers out, taking off his jacket and wraps his hands around it so as not to add more stains across the new evidence he found. He sticks his hand through the shattered open window on the driver’s side, seeing the large crack on the side of the door where the body must have been taken out. He grabs the black polo wallet in his hand, pulling it out and opens it quickly frowning. Besides seeing a few fifty dollar bills and a scribbled out number of a woman, he found nothing else. No form of ID, driver’s license, bills or receipts. Unzipping a small pocket off the side of the wallet, he sees a tiny photo fall out of Eliez and Jasmine yet no sign of the man’s physical appearance or anything.

‘What the hell?’ He sits there pondering. How was it possible to have a wallet with no proof. ‘It’s like someone already searched through his wallet and took all forms of his identity out. Yet the money was still here.’ He snorts and stuffs the wallet in the jacket pocket, walking back to his car to drop off the new evidence at the station.
~*~

She gulps, tears staining her face as the tombstone was erected before her, watching the vase lowered into the dark hole feet below them all. Her husband felt it better that Nick should be buried properly and allowed the large vase to be buried.

Jasmine sees the gravediggers begin spraying dirt over the lowered closed vase quickly as she backs away sitting down seeing the assortment of flowers and wreaths ready to decorate the tombstone once the digging was done. She looks around to see her family consoling Eliez and her husband as her mother sits besides her frowning.

“Oh honey.” Her mother cries out, hugging her close to her, kissing the top of her head as she shakes her head, “I can’t believe this happened. That you have to deal with this horrible thing. He was too young. Why couldn’t God let him live? What did that man do to anybody?”

Jasmine gulps and all tired out of crying croaks out: “Nothing. He didn’t cause trouble. He never asked for it. But some people aren’t so lucky.” Whispers out: feeling her mother’s hand brush over her frazzled golden locks.

“You listen, I want you to come stay with me till you’re ready.” Her mother whispers out: “I know Roger is here and all, but I’m not much fond of that man as I should be to be honest. And I know before you say anything on that, you know I always felt that way, but I wanted to see you happy cause you love him and have a beautiful child. But I don’t want Eliez around him too much. I just think he hasn’t been around her enough and I want Eli to be around people she really knows and care for.”

Jasmine sits up straight eyeing her mother: “I’m not walking out on Roger at the moment. We’re a family, he’s my husband and I love him. We need each other to deal with Nick’s death together. He’s the father, he has feelings as well.”

“Jasmine when you going to realize that man seems more in love with his job than you.”

“How can you say that?!” Jasmine bolts up from her seat, backing away from her mother as she runs back to her car upset. Frowning, Jasmine’s mother tilts her black large fancy hat to the side, glowering at Roger’s site holding Eliez’s in his arms.

Roger feeling as if being watched, walks to the side over to the young people standing near the gravesite. Putting Eliez down, she smiles sadly and clutches his hand tightly watching the others.

Makenzie looks over seeing at Roger looking over at them and pokes A.J. on the side: “Is he ok? Maybe you should talk to him.”

A.J. yawns and shakes his head: “I don’t think he needs to talk to me. I don’t have anything to say that will help him out considering the cause of it.”

“Doesn’t matter Alex, be nice and go talk to him. He needs support.” Makenzie growls out, her emerald eyes darken, startling A.J. as he nods and goes over to talk to the man.

Sighing, she leans against the tree seeing Arianna console Jasmine as Damien turns over to her and glares at her.

Rolling her eyes, she keeps her eyes on the man trying to find out what was his deal. He didn’t seem too upset about Nick’s lost. In fact, A.J. and Arianna seemed to have brushed off the fact that their own friend died like it wasn’t a matter to worry about. She didn’t know if this was a new way to deal with the loss of someone but she never seen anything like it. Something in the back of her mind keeps nagging at her to find out more, but she didn’t even know where to start.

She sees a dark haired beauty, console Jasmine, embracing the grieving mother. Makenzie watches them closely, sighing as she rest her head against the tree.

“Are you ok?” She hears her friend ask her.

Makenzie looks over at Arianna and nods slowly: “I think so.”

“Ohh ok. I was worried about you that’s all.”

“Yeah…I’m good… not really a fan of funerals.” Makenzie clears her throat seeing A.J. approach her.

“I hear you, same here. Yeah…listen…I… its time you should know something.” Arianna whispers out. “It’s about Nick.”

Makenzie raises her eyebrows and leans against the tree: “What…do you know something about his death?”

“I…” Arianna begins, but stops the moment A.J. reaches them. “I have to get something from the car. Be right back.” She whispers out, rushing off to her car.

Makenzie raises her eyebrows and sighs, resting her head on his chest to feel his arms around her waist cuddling her.

Arianna slides into the driver’s seat of her black Saturn gulping. She sees the passenger’s side door open as Damien slides in closing the door behind him.

“What’s going on?” he whispers out.

“About what?”

He narrows his eyes at her, “Did you tell her?” He whispers out.

“No! Noo… no.” She gulps, sliding down the seat.

“Good. We don’t need more people in on this. I don’t trust a lot of people to know about what we did. And I trust you can stay quiet Ari.” Damien brushes a hand down her neck, pulling her close to him. “Because if she knew…it would just more messy and we can’t afford that right?”

“Yeah…I know.” She whispers out, slightly trembling in his arms.

He smirks and holds her, “I’m not upset with you. You didn’t do anything to piss me off…yet.”

Arianna sniffs and smiles: “I know baby. She was asking a lot of questions. She’s really curious about things. I just keep thinking that if A.J. had told her maybe it would be easier for us to not hide the truth.”

Damien snorts, holding her roughly, whispering in her ear: “I swear to God if she finds out and it was you that told her I might have to take matters in my own hands.”

Arianna snorts, pushing away from him: “Is that a threat?”

“Call it how you see it.” He pushes away from her and sits back annoyed.

“Dammit Damien, what the hell do you want me to do?! I’m getting tired of hiding and holding this in. Its not easy you know. You think I sleep well at nights too? I see when you haven’t slept a night at all. When you were all paranoid about the police finding out. But don’t you think I feel the same way? I helped out! I saw everything that happened and made it happen as much as you did. So don’t tell me what I need to do. I love you but so help me God I’ll leave your ass if the cops are coming.”

“You bitch. You just leave me with all the mess I see.” Damien scoffs, glaring at her.

“Look I’m not talking about this anymore. I just want to move on now ok?”

“No, what the hell was all that you were just saying?!” Damien sits up grabbing her arms roughly. “If you go to the police and tell them just remember I’ll sell you out just as fast. Cause I’m tired of all this shit I have to deal from everyone. I’m the nice guy here yet I get called out on everything but you Miss I’m so fucking hot I’ll get over looked, gets off nice and clean isn’t happening.”

She growls out, slapping him across his face: “If you ever talk to me that way again, I’ll leave you. You respect me and then we’ll talk.”

“When I see respect, you’ll get it.” He seethes out as she gasps and pushes him away, hitting him on the arm as she flings open the driver’s side door, storming out.

Damien leans over the open door and smirks: “I’m not apologizing, you’re still a bitch for what you just did.”

“Well this bitch has better things to do then deal with you.” Arianna flips him off and heads over to A.J. and Makenzie still standing by a tree in the cemetery.

Damien slams the driver’s side door, touching his cheek and checks the car mirror above on the top near the dashboard, rolling his eyes and steps out of the car heading back to the group.
~*~

She hums softly, kneeling down on the newly fresh plotted land eyeing the tombstone before her. Eliez’s little hands brush the fresh dirt with her hands as she hears her father talking to some of the relatives. She traces her fingers over the letters on the tombstone as she feels her mother behind her.

“Sweetie you ok?” Jasmine kneels down, sniffing and brushing a hand through her daughter’s golden locks.

Eliez smiles and nods, crawling on her lap kissing her cheek: “Mommy why are you sad for Nick? He’s ok. I know he is. He’s not sleeping. I know, I talk to him. I know he’s ok.”

Jasmine gulps and shakes her head: “Oh honey is that how you deal with it? It’s ok. I’m sure he’s ok if he’s with you.”

Eliez didn’t seem sure on her mother’s answer and whispers out: “Mommy…I know. Molly knows. Daddy told me.” She smiles, patting her mother’s cheek softly.

Jasmine frowns: “What did daddy tell you?” She cradles her child in her arms, waiting to see if Eliez would answer her.

Eliez simply smiles and gets distracted watching a small butterfly flutter around her mother’s hair.

“Sugar plum what did daddy tell you?” Jasmine whispers out watching Eliez look at her frowning.

“Mommy soon…soon I say.” Eliez scrambles out of her mother’s arms running after the little butterfly fluttering around near her.

Jasmine gulps and frowns, not liking the idea of what her husband is doing to influence Eliez’s way of thinking. She doesn’t understand that Nick is gone, that he is indeed sleeping as she understands it, but Eliez keeps denying it. She knew part of the mourning process was denial that maybe Eliez was doing that or that maybe she still was too young to fully take in the whole process of death in at her age. Whatever the case, Jasmine didn’t like the idea of Eliez holding this little secret in as if it was valuable to her. She assumed when Eliez was ready to share that she’ll be ready to listen, until then she can only see her daughter deal with this strangely.
~*~

He taps his fingers on the table top, looking out of the kitchen window to the night sky, hearing the front door. He steps out of the kitchen to see Arianna storm to the bedroom slamming the door behind her.

Damien goes to the bedroom door, sighing knocking on the door. A second later, he sees the door open and blinks as a pillow and bed sheet was thrown at his direction before getting the door slammed in his face. He frowns and gathers the blanket and pillow cursing softly under his breath as he sits on a sofa looking around.

Arianna gulps, sinking to the edge of the bed quietly crying, tear after tear. What was she doing in this mess? Why did she agree to it along with the others? Did she honestly think it was to help out: cause never was helping out suppose to make one feel horrible. She gulps and doesn’t see the door open, her eyes staring straight ahead, her vision too blurry to focus on anything around her. Feeling a hand softly touch her shoulder, she leans into Damien crying freely as he holds her feeling horrible.

“How long? Can’t we just tell her already?” She whispers out.

Damien gulps and pulls away, rubbing his eyes choking out: “I don’t know. He said we’re on our own now. That whatever happens its our neck on the line now.”

“No one knows anything.”

“I was questioned yesterday…”

“What, why would a cop go to you unless…”

Damien blinks as realization struck him: “Shit…Roger set us up…we’re going to jail for him.”

“No! No we can’t! He wanted that to happen. I’m not going! I can’t!” Arianna cries out, pushing away from him, wiping the tears away. “He’s the sick bastard that set this all up. He should be the one to suffer, not us. Did you see him? He was all cocky about the whole thing yet I have to wonder if he’s just waiting to rat us out.” She brushes a strand of golden hair behind her. “Why were we so stupid to listen to him?”

Damien lies back on the bed, his eyes focused on the ceiling above him as he gulps: “I don’t know…it sounded good when we heard it. I wanted to help her so she can move on but…when that offer was made I thought it was ok. I thought that if I do it, I’ll get something out of it. But I didn’t…I can’t live with myself for what I did…” He trails off, breathing softly.

Arianna glares at him, sitting in front of her vanity drawer, her back to him.

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry I called you that. I was upset. I can’t handle all this anymore. I wanted out the moment we were going to go through with it. But he said to stick it out. That I’ll get over it…but I can’t.” He whispers out, sitting up propped on one elbow leaning on his side to face her back.

Arianna picks up a brush combing her beautiful flaxen locks, her make up a mess as the mascara had already washed down her cheeks. Sniffing, she looks through the vanity mirror to see him as he sits up slowly getting off the bed. He runs a hand down his cheek as he breaks down dropping to his knees, tears crashing out his light eyes.

“I can’t do this anymore. I don’t want to get caught. And I can’t run away. But no one will believe me.” Damien whispers, watching his own tears crash silently on his hands.

Arianna puts the brush down and goes over to him kneeling down eyeing him: “I say we rat his ass out before he turns it around and does it to us. The four of us can do it. They’ll listen to us.”

“No…it doesn’t work that way. We went along with it willingly so it doesn’t matter. None of this matters anymore.” He whispers out, looking down to the floor.
~*~

Jasmine dries her eyes as she sinks down on the sofa in the living room, watching the flashing images before her on the television. Muting the television, she sits back not bothering to hear of anything going on the screen. Her baby boy was gone, taken from her and she can never let this pain go. How does she move on with her life knowing her child was dead and act like nothing ever happened? It’s impossible, she can never forget him or think it’ll be fine to enjoy life again. She didn’t feel she felt like living, her son was gone, yet Eliez kept her hope alive. Seeing her bright eyes and her hunger for life, she was the one that spurred her to continue living no matter what. It’s already been two days since Nick left her. She hated herself for it, that if she had held him back all together so he would stay a while longer, that he wouldn’t be caught up in the storm and that he would be calling her right now talking about the dinner he attempted making or a new recipe of his own style. She begins sobbing, the memories striking her more each time like knife tips prodding her soul.

She can see herself a year ago driving as Nick sits besides her waving what seemed like Eliez’s Barbie panty in the air, spinning it around as Eliez claps and waves her hands like her brother’s to imitate him. She can see herself laughing as Nick stands up from the passenger seat, the wind blowing through their hair as they taken Roger’s Chrysler convertible down the highway.

Jasmine closes her eyes, letting the memory play out to a time when she was happy again, where the minor worries were just there and nothing more. She watches the memory seeing herself laugh at her son’s antics as he waves to the people riding besides them. Putting on the panties over his head, he sits down singing along to “Welcome To My life” from the Simple Plan CD he put in. Jasmine smiles: stopping at a red light as she gets off the highway. She watches Nick lean over to a blue mustang pulling up besides them as he leans over and grins at a beautiful woman at the stop sign. The woman with her window down, sees Nick with the child panties on him and breaks into a laugh as Nick frowns not getting what’s so funny.

She points to the panties as he smirks and pulls it off his head with a cheesy smile winking at her. “I like to explore and try new things.” He calls out to the woman causing her to laugh.

Leaning over the car, he eyes her: “I’m Nick, I’m single and I’m looking for a woman, know any of them around here?” He smiles, eyeing her.

Giggling the flaxen hair beauty leans over the window and smiles: “Sounds like I might fit that bill then and my name is Arianna.”

“Oh really now?” Nick replies, licking his lower lip: “Well Arianna you might just have to call me then.” He grins as the light changes to green.

“I think I might just have to, too.” The woman smiles, her bright gray eyes glitter in mischief.

“Sounds like a date.” He laughs as Jasmine drives down the street taking them to a park.

Nick yells back to the car with the woman behind him: “Hey Arianna, if you want a man that can sing and play the drums all at the same time, let me know! I’m multi-talented!”

Jasmine smiles as she opens her eyes to see Eliez crawl on her lap and nod off to sleep clutching her little arms around her mother’s neck. “Night pumpkin.”

Eliez simply nods off to sleep, her little body curled close to her mother for security.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
One Door Opened by Jamelet
A Mother Tale


~Chapter Ten- One Door Opened

Her eyes stayed focused on the slow twirling ceiling fan above her as she hears a faint voice call out to her. She blinks and sees Eliez smiling down at her, her little hands clutching the cabbage patch doll tightly in her hands.

“Mommy. You ok?” Eliez whispers outs, her sapphire orbs taking in her mother’s bewildered expression that had suddenly crossed her face.

Shaking her head, Jasmine sits up and smiles: “Yeah care bear, I’m just fine. Where is your father?” She feels as if her voice echoed down the hallway, slowly standing up.

“Daddy in the back. He’s outside.” Eliez beams, happily figuring it out.

“Oh he is? Ok, I’m going to talk to him. Wanna come with me?” Jasmine whispers out as Eliez clutches her mother’s outstretched hand with her little one. Both walking calmly to the backyard, Eliez lets go of her mother’s hand to run freely among the flower yard, running past their small pool done for her only.

Jasmine spots her husband stretched out on the swinging canopy lost in thought. “Honey…you ok?” She goes over to him, touching his shoulder snapping him out of his trance.

“Oh yeah, sorry my mind wondered off a bit. But yeah, one of your friends left a message that she’s having a small lunch over and for you to bring Eliez over.” Roger yawns out, folding the newspaper in half, placing it between his underarm.

“Really? I…I don’t think that’s a good idea…”

“Honey you should go. It’ll help get your mind off things and I think you need that. Don’t worry about me. I’ll be here when you get back.” Roger softly smiles, caressing her cheek. “I want you to go out and enjoy yourself.”

“But…I can’t. I don’t feel up to it.” Jasmine whispers out, gulping down a small lump already forming in her throat.

“I don’t think its good for you stay here all day when life is all around you. Don’t you worry. I won’t go anywhere, I’m staying here until you feel better.” He gazes at her lovingly, gently patting her butt.

“I just don’t feel up to it.” She sighs out, frowning, sitting besides him watching the grass sway around her bare ankles.

“Jasmine, please I know it hurts and I think what your friend is doing is being concerned. She wants to help you out instead of being cooped up here with us thinking and feeling more and more worse. It’s just for a few hours baby, that’s it.” Roger eyes her as she drops her head nodding.

“I’m only doing this to help clear my mind for a few short hours that’s all. Its not going to make me feel better.” Jasmine scratches her arm, batting a fly away from her warm flesh.

Roger nods, smiling: “Atta girl. You go and do that girl thing you need to do.”

Jasmine nods: “It’s Janelly that called correct?”

“Yeah, I couldn’t figure out the name till you just said it. But it’s her. She seems really nice.”

Jasmine gulps, nervously raking a hand through her tangled flaxen locks: “Yeah, she works along side me at the paralegal administration.”

“Ahh even better, she knows you good then. You go get ready and you can use the convertible if you want. I’m not going anywhere at the moment.” He whispers, running a hand through her hair slowly as she smiles.

She leans down and kisses him, feeling his arms around her as he pulls her above him. Lost in the passionate kiss, she sighs happily feeling Roger’s hand brush down her back and move under her shirt, scooping a breast in his hand. Shivering slightly, she kisses his chin and goes back to his lips as she feels his hands seek shelter under her lace bra, feeling his fingers brush against her nipples as she sighs out, watching him. She feels his hands busy at work pushing up the bra to grab her breasts gently in his hands stroking it as she breaths outs smiling.

She works her hands down to his belt buckle slowly undoing it as Roger lets his hands drop to her waist, sliding it under her loose long white skirt. She breaths out as his hands trace over the side of her panties as she slowly unzips his jean. His kisses linger through out her neck as she closes her eyes and smiles eager to make love to him right then and there. But as she slides her hand through his jean opening, she can hear Eliez’s voice echo nearby.

She pauses and smirks, pulling away from him, leaving him in the canopy alone. Roger blinks and shakes his head laughing as Eliez runs over to them squealing and pointing to a caterpillar she just saw all excited.

“Maybe next time.” Roger smiles, eying his wife who simply shrugs and picks Eliez up her arms.

“Sweetie, I’m going to my friend’s house, would you like to come with me?”

Eliez beams and nods: eager to get a chance to ride in a car and go outside away from the house.

Jasmine turns around and waves to her husband as she heads inside with Eliez in her arms.
~*~

Her head tilts to the side as she licks her lips watching the handsome plumber kneel down and poke his head under the kitchen faucet. Her teal eyes take him in as she feels a smile spread on her plump lips. Her cousin had called a plumber shortly before hand to fix the sink after a few fail attempts of trying to fix it herself. Bethany had told her to call the plumber instead of making things worse. And sure enough Janelly managed to fix nothing sending her into a minor rage, which set her off with her storming off and snapping a yellow pages off the living room shelf.

Bethany was glad Janelly finally listened to her and she had no regrets the minute the man walked into the house looking amazing to her eyes. He was tall with a wonderful tan and his voice was rich, deep and carried the soft English accent that had her swirl from the moment he spoke. She loved each time he would run his hands through his dark curls and wished she were those hands if only just once to touch what they touched on him. Each word he said, whether it was a quick question or directions to the kitchen, she felt she could fall in love with the man with just his voice. Perhaps love at first sight was more real than she can imagine, though she wasn’t one to fall for a man for just his appearance, she wasn’t shallow nor was she just psychotic to believe that falling for a complete stranger was wise by any means. But as she sat there, watching his back from her as he concentrates on the damage the sink went there, she could care less what she really thought, all that matters was her eyes liked what they saw.

Brushing her dark long hair behind her shoulders, she fidgets and watches the man look over at her sending chills down her spine for a split second. ‘What’s wrong with me? Get a hold of myself.’ She tells herself silently, smiling back at the man who holds a screwdriver in his hand and tightens a loose screw on the pipes below the sink.

“Bethany! Can you help me with the bags? Hurry, Jasmine is coming over.” Janelly calls out from the living room. Grumbling quietly, she slides off the counter, glancing back at the plumber before stepping out of the room.

“What?!” Bethany scowls, “You’re making me miss that fine ass back there. Did I say how happy I am you called a plumber over, cause I am.” Bethany beams, picking up a few bags in her arms carrying them back into the kitchen. She can hear her cousin snicker at the comment, dropping a bag on the wooden table.

“Well glad to see that helped out, though you’re not helping.” Janelly huffed out, exhausted from having to run off to the store and back to gather ingredients for their late lunch.

Bethany snickers, turning her head back to the plumber who stands up, his white t-shirt soaked in sweat as he wipes a hand across his forehead breathing out: “It’s all fixed. Is that all you needed?”

Janelly nods, “Yeah thanks, I’ll go get the money.”

Bethany watches the man and giggles as he winks at her and sits down.

“You look absolutely stunning in that little number you have on.” The man says, “Red works wonders on you.”

Bethany grins, sitting across from him, dazzled with his thick English accent: “Thanks. You’re not so bad yourself.”

The man laughs softly, grinning: “Thanks. The name’s Orlando, and you…oh let me guess are an Angel sent to get me. Cause someone as beautiful as you surely couldn’t be on Earth.”

Bethany smiles at the cute attempt of his flirting and nods: “That’s really sweet Orlando. I’m Bethany. Nice to meet you.”

Orlando nods as he gets a call on his cell: “Pleasure is all mines. Oh hold on.” He smiles, stepping out of the kitchen and walks down a small deserted hallway. “Hello?”

“Good thing you picked up Orlando. I was beginning to wonder about you.” He hears his friend on the other line.

Smirking, he glances around and slides into a small game room, sliding the wooden door behind him in case he was heard: “Lucky I bothered answering. What’s going on?”

“Heh, gotta ask, how was the little vacation yesterday?” A.J. blurts out. “Cause you missed the funeral yesterday.”

Orlando sighs, settling down on a chair: “It was good. A chance to get away from everything. How did the mother deal with all of that?”

“As we knew she would. Gotta admit we’re great actors.” A.J. cackles jokily on the other end, before clearing his throat: “But seriously, the plan is working out to a tee. I haven’t seen anything more perfect than what I thought.”

“Perfect…listen I ordered the last for the apartment that’s being set up so we can start setting it up soon.” Orlando yawns, leaning back in the cushioned chair.

“Good, good. I got Brian to watch the place and he managed to clean it up good. Already got some pictures of the family and what not to make it more believable.” A.J. pops open a soda can, sliding into a stool in his kitchen.

“Alright cool. Well I’ll stop by later there and bring the stuff needed.” Orlando shifts, looking over at the closed sliding door.

“Yeah by the way our boy had a little break down.” A.J. smirks, sipping a gulp of Pepsi down before letting out a satisfied “Ahhh.”

“Really now, you don’t say? Perhaps we should stop all this and just give up. Because thinking rationally, we can get caught if we’re not careful. But we are all done right? I mean we knew the police would be curious about where that man lived and such. So after this part, we’re all through correct?”

“I’ll let you know. I gotta keep an eye out for Arianna. She’s slowly starting to crack and its effecting our boy. And you know if he goes down, we’re all screwed cause his ass will be so freaked out, he’ll pull us all in.” A.J. taps his fingers against the metal lid. “And that shit ain’t happening. I’m not getting locked up.”

“I know, I hear you. Look I have to go. Just got done fixing some woman’s sink, she has a nice relative, highly attractive if I should say so.” Orlando smiles, drumming his fingers on the edge of the sofa.

“Yeah I bet she does. You can always ask her out and bring her over to my shindig I’m doing here tonight.” A.J. beams.

Orlando snickers: “I don’t even know the woman. I’d doubt she want to spend her time with a plumber.”

“Ha! Look I’m not fruity but dude have you taken a good look at yourself lately? Cause hell if I was a chick I be down your pants already.” A.J. smirks, tossing the now empty sofa can into his trash bin.

Orlando snickers, sitting up: “Fine. I’ll ask. Though it’s so odd, she doesn’t even know me. All she knows is my name and what I look like.”

“And you don’t think that’s good enough for her to say yes? Wow, dude open your eyes, the field of women is waiting for you. Dive in.” A.J. stretches his arms overhead, clutching his cell between his ear and shoulder.

Orlando smiles, eying the small game room: “Ok ok…you have a point. I’ll ask and see. And by the way I found some great cheap furniture on rent that we can use for the apartment there.”

“Well you’re full of surprises today now aren’t you? Get to it and meet me at my place tonight at ten and bring that chick with you.”

Orlando laughs, hanging up on him as he exits the room and meets Janelly to get his payment. Once tucking the money away, he looks over at the petite woman sitting on the sofa eyeing his every move. He wasn’t much for being up front, but he loved getting what he wanted and if he could convince this estranged woman to come with him later tonight perhaps he had another calling besides plumbing. Running a hand through his thick dark hair, he smiles and eyes the woman.

“Bethany right?” He points her out as Janelly raises her eyebrows and watch the interaction.

Bethany smiles softly, nodding her head as a few tendrils of dark strands cross her cheeks: “Yeah…is everything ok?”

Deciding to use his charm, he bows before her and takes her hand: “I know this is quiet informal, but I have to attend a festivity tonight and I don’t seem to have a date. I don’t know any of my friends here who would be willing to help me out in this situation but perhaps you may have an idea.”

Bethany beams, her eyes sparkle in excitement as she quickly states: “Are you asking me out?”

Orlando shrugs, a smile forming his lips: “Well yes…that is if you don’t have anything to do tonight and I know you just met me and all but I can assure you if you feel threatened, I’m allergic to mase and are always welcomed to use that on me.” He smiles, hearing Bethany giggles out.

“Well that’s good to know cause I carry a case load of those.” Bethany smirks as he steps to the front door.

“So it is a date? I’ll come by here at nine to pick you up. And whenever you’re ready to leave my friend’s place you can.”

“Even if its like five minutes?”

Orlando smirks: “Yes…even if its only five minutes or less. After all what date would I be if I don’t listen to what the woman wants. I always believe a woman’s independence is striking and outstanding.”

Bethany smirks, rolling her eyes: “Well mister…Orlando. You got yourself date. And don’t ever use that whole independence crap on women. You already have the looks, you don’t have to worry about being so smooth, though I don’t mind it at all.”

Orlando chuckles, waving at her as he exits the door and leaves. Bethany can feel the eyes of her cousin on her as she smirks: “What? Come on, he looks so hot, how can I say no to that man?”

Janelly snickers quietly, entering the kitchen to start the lunch for Jasmine.
~*~

Howie holds a yawn in listening to a leading officer discuss the law enforcement unit being sent out for a minor robbery. He can feel his head shift side to side, his eyes craving sleep as he sits up to check his watch. It has only been ten minutes and he felt he just wasted them being at this meeting. He didn’t want to be here, in fact he wanted a chance to go over to Jasmine’s place and ask her personally if she has a photo of her son since she never got back to him on that. He taps a pen against the table as the conference was adjoined and sighing out in relief, he bolts out of the room, being the first one to exit. Smirking, he passes by some of his fellow officers as he reaches his small office, facing the west side of the building. Plopping down on his swivel chair, he sighs out annoyed that this case was getting more complex to understand. He gazes at the clear plastic zip-lock where Nick’s wallet was placed and shakes his head trying to understand what is going on.

He hears the small intercom on his desk go off as the secretary states someone is here to talk to him. Curious, he pushes the speak button and asks: “Who is it?”

“A Miss Makenzie Robbins is here to see you.”

Howie raises his eyebrows, unfamiliar with the name and asks: “Ask her for what.”

A few minutes later the intercom buzzes out as the secretary finally responds: “For the recent case of a Mister Nick Carter sir.”

Howie blinks and sits up quickly, “Let her in.”
~*~

Arianna folds the laundry quietly outside in the backyard, the early afternoon sun basking on her sun kissed skin. Humming a soft melody she heard a while back, she pulls out a colorful clip and hangs her shirt up to dry. Since last night’s emotional talk, she was feeling better about herself, at least to the point that she was able to move on from there. But the haunting images of what she took part invaded her mind at times when she least expected it. Sighing, she pins a shirt up inhaling the soft scent of nature around her.

She looks over to see Damien sitting in the back porch, tilting his chair back conversing with someone on the phone and makes her way over plopping in a beach chair besides him. She could vaguely make out the incomplete conversation as Damien hangs up and tucks his cell away.

“Guess who made his way back to town?” Damien smirks, placing his arms on the back of his head.

Arianna raises her eyebrows and sits back, figuring he would tell her shortly anyway.

“I thought the vacation would have helped him cleared his head you know, since he missed the funeral and all.” He begins, running a hand down the side of his dark jeans.

Smirking, she rolls her eyes: “He came back?”

“Orlando.”

“Oh…well lucky him. We should have bailed and left too when we had the chance.” Arianna murmurs, draping a cool white small blanket over her exposed legs.

“I would have loved to have gone to. But you know that wasn’t the case.”

“Whatever. Are we done with that all? Cause I want my normal life back? I swear if I hear the name Nick again I’ll just scream.”

“Baby…” Damien whispers out, turning to her.

“Hmmm?”

“If you had the choice, would you have still done it even if you knew I was going to go through with it?” Damien ponders, swatting a fly away as he leans back against the chair, tilting it back on its two back legs.

“Yeah…no…maybe…I don’t know. It’s hard. But if I had walked away, I wouldn’t understand what you’re dealing with so maybe it would have beneficial. Cause if I didn’t, it would just be added stress.”

“We’re already dealing with that. Ari…if I get caught…do me a favor.” He looks over to her.

Sitting up, she frowns whispering out: “What?”

“Act like you don’t know me. It’s my fault…I don’t think you should take the heat for it.”

Arianna snorts, “No way…I love you as much of a pain you are to me. I won’t leave you.”

“Maybe you should if that happens.”

Arianna blinks, bolting up from her seat: “Where are you going with this? You’re not caught, so relax. Most of the cops don’t have a clue and the one who does is keeping us safe right?”

“To be honest with you…” Damien sits up, letting the front of the chair legs bang lightly on the porch. “I know he can’t wait to get us behind bars, especially me. He keeps saying I was the reason his wife is the way she is. That…that she lost her mind because I had something to do with it. But I say it’s not my fault she went down that road. I didn’t make her crazy. Hell, if anything I tried to stay away from her. But she kept that memory of her boy in her mind…”

“Baby, you had nothing to do with it! She created a lot in her mind. She wanted to keep her son alive and used you for it. You can’t think its your fault for that.” Arianna leans over, taking his hand in hers.

“Maybe… Whatever. I can’t wait to till that bitch she’s all psycho, I’m tired of Nick and his life.” Damien smirks getting a giggle out of Arianna.

“And to think, her memories are what keeps her living in this dream world of hers. You know she thinks I dated him…” She snickers as Damien laughs, resting his head back against the chair.

“And she thinks Nick was my best friend.” Damien snickers as she crawls on his lap.

“God, she is psycho. I do feel bad she has to go through all this. I mean…to lose your child when they’re not even born has to hurt so much.” Arianna whispers out, resting her head on his shoulder.

“Eghh…We should get ready for A.J’s party. He’s throwing a crazy one and we need to get there on time. I don’t wanna miss anything.” He smiles, kissing her temple and holding her in his arms, stands up carrying her inside.
~**~


**~To Be Continued…~**
His Own Solace by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”

~Chapter Eleven-His Own Solace

He watches his office door creak open as a beautiful fair-headed woman enters, silently taking a seat in front of his desk.

Howie smiles softly, extending his hand out: “I’m officer Dorough, how can I help you?”

Makenzie shakes his hand and gulps, eyeing him. “I already know who you are.”

“Alright. Is there a reason you need to talk to me?” Howie asks curiously, excited to finally hear some word besides through the papers and news about the case.

“I…I think so…I never met this man…Nick. But, but I don’t think he’s dead.”

Howie raises his eyebrows, trying to find the logic in the woman’s statement. “Why do you feel this way?”

“It’s…its well, stuff I keep hearing around, it just sounds off. Like the whole cremation issue… I know for one that Mrs. Carter didn’t like that idea. That she would have preferred seeing her child’s body than see it turn into ashes.”

“And you got all this just from talking to her?”

Makenzie nods, fiddling her fingers across her small white handbag: “Yeah…she really is a sweet woman. And I’m sure her son must have been something else. But if he is dead then maybe…maybe his death wasn’t an accident.”

Howie sits up frowning, clasping his hands before him tightly: “Are you implying it was a murder? There were no shown signs of him struggling or bruises of someone else on him from what I got. Where did you get this information?”

Makenzie gulps, glancing all around the small office before him: “It’s just a gut feeling. You know this, I mean you have to have been questioning this entire case. Don’t you think something more is up?” She bolts up from her seat, placing her hands on the front of his desk: her deep emerald eyes gaze at him wide open.

Blowing out a puff of air, he leans back shaking his head: “Miss Robbins…”

“Makenzie” She cuts him off.

“Right…Makenzie…I’m sure you’re worried with all this but I can assure you the police department is looking over this case thoroughly. And if it was a murder case, it would have already been known through the morgue. And from analyzing the body, there was no form of murder committed on the man, nor any drugs infiltrated through him.”

Makenzie sighs, slumping back in the chair: “Ooooh…ok then. It was just an idea then.” She whispers to herself, sounding almost disappointed in him, as if he didn’t seem to agree with her same logic to the case.

“Makenzie…do you know any of Nick’s friends?” He asks cautiously.

She simply nods and stands up heading to the door.

“Is that all?”

Makenzie turns around and sighs: “For now…I just think you should look over some stuff…for me I don’t know…things aren’t adding up right.”

“Listen if one of his friends said something to you about this case, please inform me. It would greatly help out.” Howie quickly stands up, his eyes pleading to the woman to help give him any clues that can lead him in the right direction.

“No…I don’t know anything besides what I just told you. But if I do…I’ll come back.” She whispers, stepping out of the office sighing, heading out of the precinct.

Howie frowns, plopping back in his office seat as he tries to go through the conversation in his head to find if he missed anything.
~*~

“Oooohh I remember that.” Jasmine smiles, flipping through a photo album that Janelly placed on her lap.

“Man that was like years ago, when we first started working there.” Janelly muses, lifting her teacup up to her lips.

Jasmine smiles softly, looking over at Bethany entertaining little Eliez her lap.

Eliez giggles, cuddling into Bethany’s arms as Bethany excuses herself to the kitchen, carrying the child with her. Placing Eliez on the kitchen counter, she opens the fridge door hearing Eliez hum something softly.

“Honey what you singing?” Bethany turns to the little bubbly child, a smile curving her lips.

Eliez sings loud for her to hear: “My body lies over da ocean…my body lies over da sea…my body lies over da ocean…so bring back my body to me.” Eliez giggles, sucking on a lollipop given to her earlier.

Bethany frowns at the song, going over to her: “That’s not a happy song. Why don’t you sing something nice?”

Eliez places her little finger over Bethany’s lips as to quiet her, before smiling again. “Daddy told me song is nice.”

“No. Look we can sing the bear picnic song. You like that one.”

Eliez shakes her head rapidly, “Nooo. I like other song. My body lies over da ocean. My body lies over da sea.”

Bethany frown, pouring a glass of juice for Jasmine and her sister, keeping an eye on Eliez.

Eliez simply hums the song under her breath as Bethany glances at her ticking watch, eager for the night to come already. Eliez was beginning to act a little strange and she didn’t need to be around that at the moment. Plus the excitement of hanging out with the nice plumber for a little party in the night didn’t sound like a bad idea at all. Smiling, she lifts the girl in her arms and steps out with two cups in her hands back to the women in the living room.
~*~


He steps out of his car, slamming the door behind as his keys jiggle in his hands, he raises his eyebrows at the music blasting out of the house’s stereo and smirks, feeling Arianna pass by him and pulls him over to the doorway.

Damien pushes her against the wall kissing her as she giggles and pushes him away.

“Relax…God are you that horny?”

Damien rolls his eyes: pushing away from her to knock on the door.

Arianna smirks, taking his hand: “That’s ok. I don’t mind.”

“So close Ari…so close.” He rolls his eyes as Orlando opens the door with a grin on his face.

“You!” Damien smirks.

“Yes me!” Orlando grins, pulling Arianna in: “Is it just me or has she gotten more beautiful since I left?”

Arianna giggles, blushing slightly: “You and that charm of yours.”

Damien snorts and steps in closing the door behind him as Orlando laughs.

“Well that is something that is a natural part of me. Not my fault your boyfriend doesn’t carry that same aura.” Orlando grins, raising his eyebrows.

Damien smirks, flipping the English man off and walks through the thick mob of young people dancing to the loud beats of house music blaring from the stereos. Spotting A.J. at the food table talking seductively to Makenzie, Damien pulls the man away and smirks: “Am I interrupting your game?”

“Dude what the hell?! I was about to get some shortly.” A.J. smirks, greeting his friend.

“Like you don’t already.”

“Heh…I’m not saying nothing on that. Yo, Brian and his wifey showed up…pretty interesting stuff. Did you see the new girl here?” A.J. sips on a cup of water, pointing to a young dark hair beauty.

“No. Who is she?”

“Not sure…Bethany or something or another. She came with Orlando as his date. The dude got game, he was fixing her sink and he plans on fixing her later tonight if you know what I mean.” A.J. teases, wiggling his eyebrows.

Damien smirks, watching the young dark haired woman tossing her head to the beat, her loose dark tendrils fly all around her as she seems lost to the music, a small smile cross over her red lips.

“Well at least this time Lando picked an attractive girl. That last girl he was with was…eghh.” Damien shakes his head in disgust.

“Ohhh yeah that Kate chick. That was that skinny bitch that can break in half if you touch her too much right?” A.J. grins getting a laugh out of Damien.

“Yeah think so.” Damien snickers, watching Bethany make her way back to Orlando.

Pulling on Orlando’s arm, Arianna frowns shaking her head: “You lucky you left when you did. I almost spilled it out to Makenzie.”

“What?! No, what are you doing?! That would have us all in trouble.” Orlando gasps out, running a hand through his dark curls smiling as Bethany makes her way to him.

“It’s crazy…all the pressure and its getting harder to hide it. Well at least for me. I wanted to tell her right there. Cause I’m so tired of hiding it. Even Eliez is acting strange about it. I can’t believe I agreed to it.” Arianna frowns, pressing her exposed back against the cool polished mahogany wall behind her.

“Well what’s done is done right…there’s nothing we can do to change it. Just forget it and enjoy the party. The police here don’t seem to have any idea what is going on nor do they really care.” Orlando shrugs, draping his arm around Bethany’s shoulders as she arrives.

Damien walks back with a drink and hands it to Arianna smirking and looks over to Bethany. “Hey.”

Bethany nods her head in acknowledgment and eyes Orlando. Smiling, Orlando points to Damien and Arianna. “These two are my other friends, Arianna and Damien. Guys meet Bethany my date.”

“Nice one man…she looks really hott.” Damien smirks getting a smack on the arm from Arianna.

Orlando smiles, looking over at Bethany and nods: “I know and guess what…she’s my date.”

Damien laughs: “I get your point.”

“Good. Just making sure.” Orlando smirks, winking at Arianna playfully and walks away with Bethany in tow.

Damien watches the pair walk away, his eyes trained on the woman’s short dress as he smirks. Feeling a hit on his arm again, he smirks and turns. “Don’t tell me your jealous now?”

“I’m not. You don’t have to goggle all over her body you know.” Arianna pouts as Damien takes her hand and gives her a drink.

“Stupid ass…this taste like crap.” She smirks, pulling the cup away from her lips.

Damien laughs: “You don’t feel different from it?”

“Haha…A.J put something in it didn’t he?” Arianna rolls her eyes.

“Nothing a little Spanish fly won’t fix.” Damien snickers as Arianna pulls him to a dark corner laughing.
~*~

Eliez puts the last red lego on the top of her little building while Jasmine lounges on the sofa, jumping at the sound of the phone going off.

Grabbing the phone, she yawns and mutters out a soft hello.

“Hello…is this Mrs. Jasmine Loughlin Carter speaking?” A southern deep male voice sounds out on the other end of the line.

“Umm…yes this is she…” She raises her eyebrows, hoping it wasn’t a company again trying to sell her things. She wasn’t in the mood, she needed to get away from all this and try to recollect herself. With the funeral just passing yesterday, it seemed to kill that little part of sanity that she held on to for so long. The ill-fated memories of her son, always there, haunting almost taunting her was too much.

“Hello I’m doctor Richardson calling from Janelly Rittolo. She had told me about what you are dealing with and I wanted to see if we can make an informal appointment just to meet you and your daughter for a few.”

Sighing, she slides into a chair besides the desk gazing at her large house plants which were slowly withering away since the last she watered them. “We can do that.”

“Good. How about tomorrow at ten? The office is located on Millbury south 28th street just pass the bay. You can’t miss it. Just ask for my name and you’ll be directed in.”

“Oh ok then. I’ll…I’ll see you then.” She murmurs out, hearing him saying bye, hanging up. Gulping she feels a soft breeze filter into the house as she looks over seeing Nick standing behind her, brushing his arms down her arms smiling.

“Mom, what’s wrong? You look upset.” He whispers out, his bright sapphire eyes cut into her as if he can diagnose her and read through her perfectly.

Sniffing, she looks up at him, standing up from the chair. “Oh Nick…”

He frowns, pulling her into a hug and rubs her back: “I’m not dead. I’m ok…I just need to go away for a while.”

“No! No you were taken from me. Stay here with me.” She cries out, shaking in his arms.

Sighing, Nick holds her, brushing a hand through her hair to try to ease her nerves. “People are going to think different things. But you know as well as I do what happened to me.”

“I know…” She whispers out, backing away from him as Nick eyes her and smiles.

“I made some tea…the one you like with the apple stuff in it. Ok well I didn’t make it, I followed the instructions though and it was done.” Nick grins causing his mother to softly chuckle, wiping away a tear that trickled down her face.

“Well that sounds nice then.” Jasmine whispers as he stretches his hand out for her to take. Taking it, they enter the kitchen as Eliez watches them and smiles softly singing: “My body lies over da ocean…my body lies over da sea…”
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Unspoken Words by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”


~Chapter Twelve- Unspoken Words

“Look sir if you can just sit down, we’ll get through this quick. No reason to get hostile.” The officer states, eyeing the dirty blonde haired man grumbling in the wooden chair.

“I just have a few questions regarding the disappearance of Carter’s case and I need to make sure I tie up loose ends.” Howie explains firmly, his coffee eyes intensify taking in the man before him.

Brian shifts in the chair, feeling the boring of the officer’s glance. “I don’t know why I’m here. I told you all I know.”

“Ok…fine I just had to make sure. Now you do realize these words will be taken into the case as the truth and if you lie at any point you’re committing treason and that’s the last anyone wants to do is get screwed over in the process now.” Howie smirks, watching Brian mumble something under his breath, his small eyes glance quickly side to side before back up at him.

Howie walks past the man reaching the end of the table across from Brian: “Now I’m going to ask you one more time. And then you can go, cause I have to take this down on paper. Repeat what you just told me word for word so I don’t mess it up.”

Brian clicks the roof of his mouth with his tongue as he exhales slowly going through the answers again. Last night after the party at A.J.’s place he called it an early night and left with his wife to reach home. The last he expected was to get a message on his answering machine about contacting the police station as soon as possible. He tried to avoid the message and deleted it, assuming it would just end there. But this morning he got a rude awakening when his wife dragged him out of bed and pushed him out to the front door to greet the police officer standing before him.

Brian could have easily answered some questions right there but the fact that his wife was eavesdropping made it hard for him to not get later questioned on what is going on. So settling on going to the police station, he went over in details through his head what they will all tell the police when its time to get questioned. Sure enough, he fooled the officer who at the moment was taking down word after lying word down on paper. Of course he knew lying to the court was a big offense and he wasn’t looking to get locked behind bars but for the moment until things settle down, the story has to stick and he hoped to God that Roger will just confess or explain before they all have to feel the repercussions of this ever growing lie.

He kept thinking through, how it must be to be in Jasmine’s shoes: the mere concept of not living in reality scared him already and he honestly felt bad for the woman.

“I last talked with Nick two days before the accident. He was heading off to see his mother and make a quick stop by at his girlfriend’s place. He mentioned something about seeing his soon to be in laws. Was planning on proposing to his girlfriend later in the week.” Brian slowly sounded out each word as if it was new or some foreign language that was evolving.

Howie nods and writes down on a blank paper, “Is that all?”

“Yeah. That was the last I talked to him and I later got word about what happened to him.” Brian nervously runs a hand through his hair, his foot tapping rapidly. He needed to get out before he would explode with the pressure. He didn’t need this at the moment and he didn’t want to be caught red handed with this crime. If the police found out the truth it would not only put him in danger but the others will fall in as well. And the last he need was to lose all his friends and risk jail time.

He trains his eyes on the sheet of paper the officer used to scribbled down his statement and watches as Howie stands up, shoving the paper into an empty manila folder.

Smiling, Howie nods: “Ok you’re all done. Thanks for coming down here. You’ve helped out greatly.”

“Yeah welcome…I hope you solve this case. Cause I would go after the construction people that build the railing, cause I’m sure Nick could have been saved if he was protected more.” Brian slides off the chair shaking hands with the officer and exiting.

Rubbing his forehead, Howie gathers the notes and exits the small room back to his office.

Stepping outside, Brian pulls out his cellular phone dialing A.J.’s number. After two rings, his friend’s gruff voice answers.

“Yo this is Alex’s whorehouse, I’m the pimp what’s your flavor today Littrell?”

Brian chuckles, pressing the phone to his ear tightly: “I already have one thanks.”

“Ahh damn you, you married your whore.” A.J. teases, settling down on a sofa besides a sleeping Makenzie. Placing her head on his lap, he runs a hand through her golden hair as she soundly sleeps.

“Yeah too bad.” Brian smiles softly, walking down the block. “So I just got out.”

“How’d it go?”

“Stuck with the story as we rehearsed. The cop has no clue. But I’m thinking this is getting to be too much. How long can we pull this off without someone screwing it up?” Brian asks worriedly.

“Just a few more days, that’s all. The way I see it, once we finish the apartment up and show the cop that Nick did live there, then we should be home free. I mean we’re not real witnesses…heh…he did it all himself.” A.J. lounges back on the sofa yawning, scratching his toned bare chest.

“Yeah I know that. But whatever, I have the apartment all painted up and Orlando got the pictures so he’s gonna add the last part in. I already called furniture and we’re all set with that as well.” Brian clears his throat as he heads up the stairs to an outdoor subway station, paying its toll. “I have to let ya go for now. Tell Makenzie I said hi.”

“Yeah yeah…you punk.” A.J. smirks, hanging up, tossing the phone aside and lies back on the sofa, running a hand through the back of a sleeping Makenzie’s head on his lap.

Makenzie slowly opens her eyes, frowning as she plays the conversation over in her head again, so many pieces of odd story she just heard and she couldn’t believe her boyfriend was doing something behind her back instead of being upfront about it. Whatever the case: he was hiding it from her and she would have wait to gather more data. Maybe he will slip it out somehow or tell her the whole story so she can stop wondering what really is going on. Exhaling, she closes her emerald eyes and pretends to go back to sleeping before A.J. noticed.
~*~

She gulps nervously in the small cozy waiting room: she couldn’t believe she was here let alone bringing her daughter. What was she thinking doing this, going to this therapist? How can she spill her feelings to a complete stranger who will simply just listen and write things down. She saw all those shows when people would go and tell the doctor everything while the psychologist would just sit there nodding and writing things down. It was getting her antsy sitting around as she watches Eliez bounce around the room holding her cabbage patch as she pretends to feed the doll something to eat.

“Eli honey no, I bought that cheeseburger for you not the doll. Don’t do that, Molly is dirty.” Jasmine reprimanded her child as Eliez frowns, putting the cheeseburger back in its yellow wrapping having only taken a few small bites from it.

Jasmine slumps back watching the fancy oak desk before her on the waiting room with a frantic receptionist behind it, chattering away on the phone and complying paper work on outgoing patients. She couldn’t believe Janelly convinced her to give this a try: maybe this was a mistake coming here, what would she get out of this besides a few strange looks and ever coming questions? Sulking silently, she keeps her gaze at the ground, hearing a familiar laugh coming from besides her. Snapping her head over to her left, she spots Nick sitting besides her smiling.

“Heh, why are we here again?” Nick raises his eyebrows, watching Eliez run around the waiting room.

“Was told to give this a try. That maybe the therapist would help me out.” Jasmine whispers out, clutching her hand bag tightly in her hands.

“Nothing is wrong with you. You’re mourning cause you think I’m dead. But I’m right here. So how can any one tell you, you need help.” Nick eyes her concerned, placing a hand under her chin, cupping it and turns it to his direction. His dark blue orbs pierce into her owns as he whispers out: “I can go in there with you if you want.”

Jasmine shakes her head rapidly: “No…its better I do this alone. You can wait for me when I get out.”

Nick softly smiles, nodding: “K if that’s what you want. I’ll stay here. But don’t stay in there too long. I have a date tonight I don’t wanna miss it.” He smiles, watching Jasmine nod and grins.

“Yeah I know, I wouldn’t want you to keep Arianna waiting.”

“Heh, she goes all frantic if I don’t show up exactly on time. Ha I mean she’ll go postal if I reach her place a minute late.” Nick smirks, sitting back as Jasmine smiles eying him.

“Well can you blame her, she’s dating quite the eligible bachelor.” Jasmine grins as she feels Eliez tugging on her hand.

Blinking she frowns, her day dreams escaping her as the image of her son fades away. “What is it sweetie?” She whispers out, taking her daughter’s hand.

Eliez points to the open doorway straight down: “Mommy they say your name.” She smiles clutching her doll close to her chest. Nodding, Jasmine stands and takes her child’s hand heading into the small cozy inviting room. A large bay window stood behind a sturdy oak desk where a speaker phone, a few manila folders and a pad of paper rested on top of it. A rolling wine leather chair was fixated behind the desk occupied by a tall handsome man, with dark hair and exotic emerald eyes peering over at her. The lanky man smiles the moment she enters with Eliez. Looking over to the man’s desk, she can read the “Kevin Richardson M.D.” name plate in the center of the desk.

“Hello, you must be Mrs. Jasmine Carter correct?” The man slowly drawls out, a hint of a southern accent resounds off each word.

She nods and slowly sits down on a chaise sprawled out on the side of the room. Eliez crawls up a chair before the desk eyeing the man curiously as he looks over to her and smiles, scribbling something on paper.

“And you’re…let me a guess… a new princess from out of a town.” Kevin eyes the little girl as she giggles and shakes her head.

“Eliez.” She bubbles out, her little fingers grip the doll’s ponytail tightly.

“Oh the famous Eliez. I heard about you.” Kevin smiles, looking over at the mother. “Janelly gave me a call and thought that you might consider taking therapy in the future in case you need to discuss things. I’m doctor Richardson and to ease your worries I’m not like one of the weird docs that the tv shows tend to shadow. In fact I’m quite the opposite. I want to get to you know and find if there really is a problem you want help in. I can’t force you to talk nor can I tell if you are telling the truth, but I hope you can gain enough trust in me that you’ll be honest with me enough so I can help you. I have been successful in many people’s lives and like your friend mentioned I’m one of the most noted therapist’s this town has to offer. But enough about me, tell me about you. Why are you here?” He leans back on the edge of his desk, arms crossed on his chest as he gazes over at Jasmine.

Clearing her throat, she looks over at him and shifts facing him: “Well…I’m Jasmine, mother of two children…married to my surgeon husband Roger…umm…I work in the office administration at a law firm along with Janelly which is where I heard about you.”

“Ok…Janelly is a sweet girl, she’s the one that helps bring me patients.” He laughs softly, “Maybe I should pay her.”

“I’m sure you can think of something.” Jasmine clears her throat and smirks.

“Ah yes well I’m happily married so that’s quite the inconvenience for her then.” Kevin stands up, pulling an empty plush chair close to the chaise.

Keeping a close eye on the doctor, she shifts to the other side of the chaise away from him, looking around the room.


“You don’t have to tell me anything, this is just for you to meet and judge me, and help you decide if you chose to use this service for your well being.” Kevin explains, lounging back against the back of the chair.

“Right…well I wanted to see for myself. I was curious and the way Janelly mentioned you so much I decided to check it out myself.”

“And you ok with that? I’m not so strange now right?” He smiles, leaning close to her as she breaths out, sitting back on the chair.

“Not from what I can see yet.” Jasmine smiles watching Eliez giggle and swings her little legs back and forth on the chair behind them.

“Well I try to keep this an open discussion. Basically three times out of the week we’ll meet and you fill me in on how you feeling and what you did through the day that you think is important to you or need me to know. Some times I’ll tell you to keep track of your day through a journal in which you can bring in and discuss whatever it is you want. I’m here to help you find the problem and if there is one then to find a way to resolve it. However I can’t say we’ll find all the answers but we can get real close to that and see what can be done about it.” Kevin carefully goes through the routine with her as Eliez looks around at all the degrees and diplomas hung around the room.

Kevin smiles and sticks out his hand: “Well that’s it. Do you think I’ll see you or did I scare you off?”

Jasmine cheekily responds: “I’m interested and I need answers…so maybe this is a way to find them.”

“Yeah and who knows maybe we can find out if a problem really does exist.” Kevin states watching Jasmine pick up Eliez in her arms and head out. Smiling, he watches her exit as Eliez cast him a dark look, her hands clasp around her mother’s neck.

Kevin blinks, shaking his head and sits back in his office seat to call in the next patient.
~*~

The sounds of crickets and soft chirping of birds fill the backyard with life as he stares into a small pond off the side of the house. Kneeling down, he watches the dark pond frozen in motion with a few fishes swimming rapidly beneath it. He smiles hearing Arianna and Makenzie singing to Life-house “You and Me” both laughing and sipping on some mocha chip frappachino from glass cups a few yards away.

He hears his cell go off and not bothering to answer it, lets it ring for voicemail to pick up. He was too lost in thought and couldn’t wait to get over this whole mess once and for all. Sighing, he lies back as his cell goes off again. Grumbling, he checks to see its Brian and answers: “Hello.”

“Oh good, you picked up. I came out of questioning not that long ago and had to pass the word it went well.” Brian states happily, sitting back in the train waiting for it to reach his stop.

“Good…and the apartment is going well too right?” Damien wiggles his back on the grass trying to get comfortable on it.

“Yup. Orlando actually got to the place already but you need to get more Arianna pics…you know the ones I’m talking about.”

Damien smirks, “Yeah I know, that shouldn’t be a problem she loves the camera.” He rubs his head feeling the headache from his hangover last night make a return.

“And posing with no clothes on, we need to have a whole stash of that so when the cops show up they’ll see that.” Brian stands up, heading to the opening train doors at his stop.

Snickering, Damien adjust the cell on the crook of his neck looking back at the two woman a few yards back dancing silly to some song being blasted from the radio. “Are we purposely trying to make him a pervert or was that A.J.’s idea?”

“Take a guess Big D, heh I’ll talk to you later I gotta get home now.”

“Fine, I’ll give you a ring at around 10 or so.” Damien yawns sitting up.

“Why not 11 I’ll be set to head close to bed from work.” Brian exits the train, clutching his cell to his ear.

“Oh no can do…that’s Arianna’s time…” Damien smirks.

Brian laughs, “So call me after.”

“I would…but Arianna is a dirty, dirty girl and one hour just doesn’t seem long enough for her.” Damien grabs a small pebble tossing it into the filthy pond.

Laughing, Brian shakes his head: “That’s more than I need to know, how about we stick to ten then.”

“Haha sounds like a plan then man.” Damien smirks, hearing the girls in the back crack up.

“K see ya then. Bye.”

“Bye.” Damien hangs up, checking on his voicemail. He hears A.J. leaving a rather uneasy message.

“D holy shit…the cops called me today…thought you might have an interest…seems Roger is trying to screw us all over. Your name is on the top of the list and if Mrs. Carter wants to rat your ass out for whatever reason, dude you’re screwed! But I have this taken care of it, don’t you worry about it. Just give me a ring and I’ll tell you in detail what I got set up. I gotta go, my boss is having a cock attack cause I’m on the phone. Talk to you later man. Peace.”

Damien blinks at the message and frowns, slipping the phone back into his front jean pocket as he rushes back to the back yard and to the back door of the house.

“Hey Baby! Hold up!” Arianna’s voice rings out as she watches him enter the house. Shrugging her shoulders, she turns back around as Makenzie frowns, clearing her throat and places a fake smile on.

“Don’t worry about him. I’m sure he’s fine.” Makenzie whispers out, narrowing her eyes as her vague clues still remained too sketchy for her to figure it out yet.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Fallen Lies by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale


~Chapter Thirteen- Fallen Lies

The wheels pull up slowly, spraying gravel on the sidewalk as he climbs out of the car. Dragging his hand across the car door, he slams it close and glances at the apartment complex on Millbury. He waits around to see the tall English man step out of the entryway of the building quickly calling him over.

“How did it all work out with the apartment?” Roger asks, eyeing the man.

Orlando shifts his weight on his foot and looks down: “Almost done. So…why did you call us here?”

“I’m still waiting for the others, then I’ll tell you all.” Roger smoothly says, cracking his knuckles.

“Oohh…right… Is it true? About what I heard.” Orlando quietly states, his mocha eyes glaze over Roger’s silver Chrysler convertible.

Roger raises his eyebrows: “What are you talking about?”

“About you being done with this. That you’re leaving us alone with this and you plan to walk out.”

Roger snorts and leans back on his car, glaring at the young man: “Where did you hear this shit from? Personally you all did your part and it worked out. But if I chose to leave that’s my business, you’re of age and can defend yourself well without my help.”

Orlando clicks the roof of his mouth with his tongue and clears his throat: “Right…don’t you feel just a little guilty with what we’re all doing? I mean your poor wife…”

Roger cuts the man off and snarls: “Listen to me, I know what’s in the best interest of my family and I’m only doing what’s best to get her through this trail. She’s still leaving in her fantasy world and I need to get her out of it. I’m so fucking tired of hearing about Nick and his so called life. I have a little girl to care for, the last I need is to make her insane like her mother is.”

Orlando blinks eyeing the man in bewilderment: “How can you say that?! That woman loves you and you turn around and do this to her. And your little girl, what has she done? You put her up to it as well, she sees what you told her to see.”

“And what a good girl she is. Why don’t you stay quiet and just do what’s being asked for?” Roger coolly responds, brushing past the man as A.J and Damien walk up the pathway.

Frowning, Orlando looks over at them and shakes his head, “I’m this close to being through with this because of him.”

“Don’t listen to his ass.” A.J. grunts out, tugging on the brim of his dark baseball hat.

Damien shoves his hands in his pockets, seeing Brian finally appear crossing the street going over to them.

“Alex what was the plan you have set up for us…or more me than anything else.” Damien quips up, seeing Roger coming towards them.

“Tell ya later…gotta see what’s up with mister pain in the ass at the moment.” A.J. whispers, watching Roger greet the others at their arrival.

“Well boys, I gotta say this is the last I’ll see you. I’m heading out in a few days for my job but I just had to let you all know the police are smarter than we thought. Jasmine is going to questioned today and when she does…” He glances over the four men, his eyes resting on Damien.

“You’ll be the first to be mentioned.” He smiles, eyeing the man.

Damien gulps, looking at the stained oiled ground: “We did what you asked us to. If I’m found guilty at any point I’ll make sure your name is dragged in this.” He mumbles out.

“Oh I don’t think that’ll happen kid.” Roger pulls out a semi automatic, aiming it at him. The other men gasp and eye Damien as he steps back.

“It would be pretty screwed up to get rid of us after all the hell we did for you.” A.J. grunts, hiding the slight fear that arose at the sight of the pistol.

Roger laughs and packs his gun away in his holster on the side belt, “I would never hurt any of you. Relax boys. I came here to send my congratulations on a job well done with the incident. Especially you kid.” He taps Damien’s back roughly. “I gotta admit you can act good, you fooled the police and my wife. And that’s a hard thing considering what you’re doing is illegal.”

Brian gulps, keeping his light eyes trained on the father ranting on about their security system.

Roger turns his eyes on A.J. and smiles: “Ah Alex, what a nice man you are to hold this in for so long. I wanted to give you all your rewards here actually before I head off to get some food.” He could feel all four pairs of eyes on him as he heads to the trunk of his car, popping it open. Smiling, he pulls out a leather suitcase unlocking it to reveal a large portion of money neatly stacked and tied with a leather clip. The fifty dollar bills were placed on the top as Roger calls the men over.

Brian reaches the trunk first, his mouth dropping at the sight of the money: “Oh God…this is real…holy crap we get to take home the cash and walk away with it!”

“Oh not so fast boy.” Roger smirks, running his hands through the piles of money in the suitcase. “First you finish the apartment and then I’ll leave you with the rewards you all rightly deserve.”

A.J. rolls his eyes and mumbles something incoherent under his breath as he heads inside to the small apartment building as the others slowly drift in. Smiling, Roger closes the suitcase, grabbing the black leather handle to pull it out of the car. Slamming close the trunk, he sits on it: watching the four men disappear into the beige apartment complex building. A small tug of excitement tugged on his heart strings as he felt convinced that this was almost freedom: that this was what freedom could feel like all the time if Nick was never in his life. He busies himself with the thought of what he will do once he hands the men their due rewards and how well he’ll enjoy his break away from the drama that had dispelled him and his family for the past twenty-fives years.
~*~

His hands brush across the shiny mahogany book shelves just recently installed. “This is some nice furniture, how did you pull this off?” Damien asks to the English man who sits on a lazy boy chewing on a half eaten sandwich.

Orlando shrugs, wiping his mouth: “One of my friends owned me a favor and got me the hook up for this.”

“Well damn boy, who else you know that you got this tv?” A.J. opens a cardboard box pulling out picture frames to decorate the shelf.

Brian busies himself with connecting the small television set as A.J. whistles and eyes the others.

Going over to Damien, he sticks out his hands: “Gimme. And don’t tell me you forgot either.”

Rolling his light eyes, Damien pulls out a small pack of photos shoving it in A.J.’s hands with a grin.

“Wow…” A.J. opens the small pack to check out the pictures and smiles. “Heh…didn’t know Ari had a birthmark right on her…”

“What the hell? They’re not naked pictures of her.” Damien blinks, snatching the photos out of the laughing man’s hands.

“Dude relax. God you so uptight and to think you hit that and you still wake up like this. Maybe you to explore ways of being satisfied.” A.J. cheekily grins. “See me and my girl, I’m always happy. No need to get rifled up cause I have some good loving waiting for me.”

Brian chuckles, shaking his head as he rips opens a plastic cover to drape over a small dinner table.

Damien smirks and looks through the photos, “Heh…oops…guess that one slipped in the pack.” He shoves the obscene photo in his front jean pocket.

“You lucky your parents ditched that house for you to stay in alone with Ari or you would never get laid.” A.J. hoots enjoying the annoyed look coming across his friend’s face.

Damien rolls his eyes and starts placing photos of Arianna in the fancy picture frames. Orlando wipes his hands, dragging a box to the almost bare bedroom and begins throwing down Maxim magazines spreading out on the carpet along with empty soda can in a trash bin.

Brian and A.J. carry the bed sheets and pillows into the bedroom slowly beginning to set the room up.

“A.J. hold this wire while I untangle it. I gotta connect it to the back of the bed so the lamp on the night stand can work.” Brian coughs softly, handing the wire to the man.

A.J. shrugs and holds the end of the wire as Brian places the lamp on the night stand while A.J.’s eyes roam over the cover of one of the magazine’s scantily clad woman getting distracted. Brian tugs on the wire so he can take out the small knot but frowns as A.J. moves further away making the knot tighter than before.

“Alex stop moving.” Brian grunts out as Alex bends down to gaze at the photo cover. “Ahh noo don’t do that!” Brian races to the lamp as it begins to topple off the edge of the night stand.

Brian was a few feet away when he trips over an open cardboard box causing him to slide the rest of the way as the thin glass lamp was inches away from crashing on the carpet. He gasps and closes his eyes assuming the lamp was broken. When he opens them, he sees Damien shaking his head holding the lamp safely in his hands.

“Dumb ass. Try not to break anything in the process. We can’t afford that much.” Damien smirks, putting the lamp back on the nightstand, walk pass them both.

Brian turns to glare at A.J. who simply snickers flipping through the magazine excitedly. Orlando chuckles exiting the room and comes back with a dust towel wiping his hands.

“Guys, I can finally say we’re done here.” Orlando smiles: leaning on the threshold as the others hoot and cheer.

“About damn time. A little more male bonding and I was gonna throw myself out of the window.” A.J. remarks, stretching his arms overhead. “Well if we’re done, I’m gonna get my dough from Carter. Dude is loaded! Heh I knew making friends with the wealthy was gonna pay off.”

“Yeah…right.” Damien raises an eyebrow seeing his friend exit the apartment. Orlando grabs the keys to the apartment and heads out, waving to the others as Brian follows out.

Looking around Damien was about to open the front door to follow the others out of the apartment when something caught his eye. The item gleamed in sunlight pouring in from the window as he reaches the counter touching the platinum watch. “What the hell?” Frowning, he exits the apartment with the watch, reaching the others.

“Guys…hold up…why did you take my watch without asking my permission?” He grumbles, “I thought I lost it years ago when my parents gave it to me for my high school graduation.”

A.J. shrugs: “Dude what are you talking about? Roger got that watch from his wife. She was hiding it out, planning on giving it her little boy.” He smirks, twirling his car keys around his hand.

“No, dammit this is mines, trust me I know my stuff. How the hell did psycho mom get my shit?” Damien eyes his friends, wondering if they might know some kind of answer.

“Listen Roger gave it to us. Ask him. If she stole it from you then you got evidence on Mrs. Carter lack of sanity.” Orlando calmly states, leaning back against the cream walls outside.

Damien nods and heads out with the rest of the men as more questions begin to fill his head.
~*~

She yawns, watching the blue plastic ball roll past her feet. Smiling she sees Eliez run past her to get the ball and tosses it to Bethany who easily grabs the ball.

“I always told her when its time to be a mom, she’ll be ready.” Janelly smirks, rummaging through her handbag to pull out her lipstick and mirror.

“Well I’m glad you offered to stay out of work today to spend it with me. I just needed someone to talk today and I thought of you.”

“Aw Jas no problem hon. I’m here for you whenever you need a shoulder to lean on. Speaking of which, how is your husband?” Janelly puckers her own lips smearing the nice gloss over her pouty lips.

“Oh he’s well for the most part. He still misses Nick terribly, always mentioning him in his sleep and I know he doesn’t like talking about it to people but I know he’s highly upset over the whole thing as well.” Jasmine gulps, feeling a lump in her throat rising.

Janelly frowns, clearing her throat: “Sweetie you don’t have to talk about it anymore if you don’t want to. I know it hurts and it’ll hurt for a long while.”

“I know…” Jasmine chokes out, roughly wiping the tears forming in her eyes, her vision already getting hazy from it.

“Oh honey…shhh…” Janelly embraces the woman in her arm, trying to calm her down. “You don’t have to deal with this alone. You can always talk to me or anyone you know. It makes the pain more bearable.” She whispers out, pulling away from her.

Jasmine gulps, looking away as she wipes the tears off her eyes. Bethany glancing over at the two women: frowns bending down to pick up the blue plastic ball in her hands. She herself heard very little of what happened and knew that Mrs. Carter had an eldest son. However Janelly never filled her in exactly what happened to the young man or what he looked like since Jasmine was secretive with the man’s appearance. The only think she knew was the man was the image of his father and carried the same shining eyes and hair from his mother.

Recently Bethany was talking with Makenzie when she noted something was bothering her new buddy. Makenzie had refused to talk about it since she herself needed more evidence before she can confirm anything.

Bethany wasn’t much for gossip and could care less about other people’s lives if it wasn’t effecting her, but the fact that Makenzie was stressed out about something had her curious. She recalled recently meeting Makenzie back at the party A.J. threw. Orlando had introduced to her and she instantly connected with the sweet blonde haired woman. In fact Orlando seemed to know a lot of people for not living around Oakland. It didn’t bother her: she couldn’t blame the man for being so infamous among his crowd of peers. He seemed too smooth for words and she was pleased that he wanted to spend his time getting to know her. She feels a small tug on her hand, bringing her out of her thoughts. Gazing down, she smiles at Eliez who beams and bounces the blue ball around her.

“Hey sweetie, you go over there and I’ll roll it to you ok?”

Eliez nods and scampers a few feet away from her, ready to catch the ball. Smiling, Bethany rolls the ball on the floor roughly as Eliez giggles running to the ball. Bethany smiles softly watching Eliez race off to the grass near the river and comes back frowning, her head dropped down to look at the ground.

Bethany kneels down, taking the little child’s hand in hers: “Hey Eli wanna tell me what’s wrong?”

“He was being mean today. I didn’t do anything to him.” Eliez frowns, plopping on the grassy side, her little bare legs wiggle around as she tugs on her strings from her red shorts.

Frowning, Bethany looks around eager to spot the man that could have insulted a sweet child for no reason. “What did that man say to you? I’ll go after him and make sure he’s nice from now on.”

Eliez tilts her head and smiles sadly whispering out: “You can’t see him. Only mommy, me and daddy see him.”

Bethany blinks and eyes her: “You mean…there wasn’t someone that said something bad to you just now?”

“Yeah there was, but you can’t find him. He’s away. I know him.” Eliez chews on a strand of honeysuckle hair.

“Oh don’t worry little one…I’ll find him for hurting you.” Bethany stands up, picking Eliez up in her arms: storming off near the river to try to find the guy that did this to the child.
~**~


**~To Be Continued…~**
Investigating No Truths by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale


~Chapter Fourteen- Investigating No Truths

Papers lie scattered around his desk filled with various astringent reports of the car accident, some so detailed it disturbed him causing nausea to rise. He feels a pair of eyes on him and frowns looking up to see Winterland enter.

“Why are you curious to working on it Dorough? I already told you I’m taking care of this case.”

“Yeah well, I have questions that need to be answered so I’m not walking away. By the way do you know where an Amsterdam is at around here?” Howie quips up, eyeing the older officer curiously.

Winterland yawns, nodding: “Yeah it’s a small town right on Millbury. I’m surprised you don’t know where it is since you live around there.”

“Eh, I’m still getting used to the area, I didn’t know it was in the same place.” Howie shrugs, busies himself separating files in folders.

“Oh well its fine. Why you asking?” Winterland adjust his glasses, pulling a napkin out to clean the lens.

“Because there’s going to an investigation at the deceased man’s place.”

“Oh, very well then.” Winterland sits down before him, stretching his arms over head. Smiling, he reminds himself that he was the only officer on site during the whole chaotic ‘tragedy’ with the death of the young man. Media was constantly calling to get any new data and people were eagerly speculating any new info about the road. Smiling, he knew all the answers and was amazed the planned was pulled of so well. He was unsure of the whole idea when Roger first came up to him to tell him. But with the impending rewards facilitated with it, he couldn’t deny it and immediately went along with the plan. He received his reward of cash over the mail earlier today and was already planning an excursion before the news becomes to get big. Handing the case fully over to the clueless officer before him, he was more than happy to get away from Oakland and all its little life dramas.

Howie looks over at the older grey haired man raising his eyebrows: “Why are you still here? I thought you had to head home early today for your grandson’s kindergarten graduation.”

“Yeah, I’ll leave in a few, just going through some ideas of what to wear. Do you think its too early to wear white, we haven’t reached summer yet so I don’t want to appear brash at the young children’s ceremony.” Winterland sits up, wrapping his lithe arms around his small round pouch stomach.

Howie smiles, closing the filed folders and places them lined up together: one on top of the other. “The weather is getting better, I’m sure whatever you have on will be fine.”

“Yes, I don’t want Betty to get angry with my clothes, she tends to get that way recently. Said that I lost all sense of dressing and putting clothes together. But I say I wear what I like and feel comfortable in right?” Winterland’s thin lips curve into a sinister smile.

“Uh yeah…though you should listen to her for this. Its only one time, get dressed up nice for your grandson, he’ll be up there getting ready to move on in school. And you want the pictures to come out right.” Howie tilts his head. He was eager to dabble in the case further but somehow Winterland was delaying him lounging around the office.

Winterland smirks and grabs the evidence bag eyeing the wallet found: “Gotta say this is a big clue. The fact that most of the valuables are missing like ID’s is pretty interesting. Whoever is responsible for this must have wanted to make this man almost unknown…even nonexistence if that makes sense at all.”

“Are you implying it was a murder? Because I thought it was an accident.”

“Look I’m just coming up with theories Howie, no need to assume more. The fact a man driving in the night without no one around just sounds a bit off and you made it safely driving around that same night. It just seems off to me that’s all.” Winterland states, brushing a pale hand through his gray thick locks.

“Kirk…I don’t want to sound rude…but I’m really busy at the moment and I just want to get some answers for this case before it drags on too long.” Howie taps his fingers on his oak deck, hoping the older man got the point across already.

The older officer simply smiles and waves bye, exiting the office shortly afterwards leaving Howie alone in the office finally. Sighing in relief, he grabs the cradle of the black phone on his desk, quickly jabbing the Carter’s household number.

“Please pick up this time.” He had left a message about two days ago and haven’t heard from Jasmine yet. Assuming that she was still dealing with the rough times, he didn’t mind and even let it slip away. But now he needed some answers and time was running out before the case is thrown away.

Sighing out in annoyance, he was close to hanging up by the fifth ring when he hears a gruff voice answer.

“Hello, I’m officer Dorough calling from precinct 15. Is a Mrs. Carter there at the moment?”

“Ohh…no she’s out at the moment…I’ll make sure she gets the message though. I’m her husband, maybe you can tell me the message.”

“Well I just need to speak to her face to face, its in regards to your son and the case.”

“Yes…ok well…perhaps you can call back later this evening when she gets back. I’ll make sure to inform her you called. You’re the officer that had my shirt right?” Roger smirks.

“Oh heh…yeah. Don’t worry sir, its all cleaned and ironed, ready to get dropped off next time I come around there.”

Laughing, Roger shakes his head: “No you can keep like I said before, it doesn’t even fit me. I’m sure you’ll do better giving it some use.”

“Good then…and you take care then sir.” Howie nods, “I’m hoping it’ll be fine if I make a visit at around six or so this evening. It’ll be fast and I’m assuming your wife will be home by then.”

Roger frowns, furrowing his thick eyebrows: “You don’t have to go through all that. I’m sure a simple phone call will do just fine.”

“Well sir if it is a bother I won’t do that then, but later on I have to check the house and see Nick’s room when he was a child and such. Its important I get enough data on the man himself.”

Roger bites his lower lip grumbling under his breath: “We’ll set up a time for that later this week or so, we’re dealing with certain things at the moment and its important we’re ok before you show up to ask more about Nick. I mean Jasmine is very sensitive about talking about Nick you know.”

“Oh yes of course sir, I completely understand. I don’t want to be a bother, but it’s important I can get that done soon before the case is overlooked.”

“Right…I’ll make sure to call you back this week then.” Roger states, cracking his knuckles as he looks around the desolate bedroom frowning.

“Thanks, that’ll be greatly appreciated Mr. Carter.” Howie smiles: hanging up and gets his car keys, exiting the office.
~*~

He eyes the little girl, watching her scribble something on paper. Kneeling down before Eliez, he watches her draw shapes and little scribbles of people. Pulling out a pad of paper, he takes a pen and begins writing down his observations.

Eliez looks up from the large sheet of white construction paper smiling at the doctor. Holding up her picture proudly, she shows it to him.

Kevin tilts his head examining the picture and smiles: “Is that what you’re feeling at the moment?”

Eliez nods and smiles: “Yes. I’m happy.”

Kevin smiles and takes the drawing looking over it: “That’s you…that little girl right?”

Eliez nods: “And mommy and daddy.”

“Ok…” Kevin eyes her and smiles. “Do you have pets?”

Eliez shakes her head and nibbles on her lower lip.

“Ok…is that it? Do you know anyone else?” Kevin points to a shadow figure behind the little crooked house Eliez drew.

Eliez smiles and nods: “He’s special…”

“Who is he?”

“That’s Nick.”

“Who’s Nick?”

“Shhh…you know Nick.”

“Your brother right?” Kevin whispers out as she nods. “Are you sad he left? He’s sleeping for a while now.” He tries to explain the death to her as she frowns and rapidly shakes her head.

“Nooooooooooo! He’s not sleeping! He left…but he comes back to see mommy.” Eliez smiles.

Kevin bites his lower lip eyeing the little girl: “Your mother sees Nick?”

Eliez smiles, “Yeah because she miss him, so Nick is there.”

“And how do you see Nick? What does he look like?” Kevin gazes at the young child as he searches in his lab coat to pull out a tape recorder.

She tilts her head to the side, a few locks of golden tresses spray on her shoulder with the action and begins to whispers out Nick’s appearance.

Quickly jotting down the details, Kevin made note of the man and smiles. “He seems like a great guy. I’m sure he was the best brother you had.”

“Only one.” She whispers pushing the construction paper to him as she reaches for her doll. Cuddling the cabbage patch doll to her chest, she smiles, remaining quiet.

“Is there something else you want to tell me?” He whispers out, eyeing the child as she shakes her head. “Well ok, let’s wait for your mom to come back and we can talk with her ok?”

Eliez nibbles her lower full lip, her azure eyes bright and blue scanning the office around her. “I know a secret.” She quietly states, her voice dropping.

Adjusting the small stool he’s on, he waits for the child to continue.

“This secret…mommy no know secret.”

“Eliez do you want to tell me the secret?” Kevin whispers out, watching the child lean back in the cushioned chair, her eyes darting around as it lands on him. Whispering out, “My brother no sleep. He never sleeps. He’s ok. Daddy told mommy he’s sleeping but Nick no sleeping.”

He gulps, holding the tape recorder in his hands gazing at the little girl: “How do you know he’s sleeping?”

“Daddy say Nick sleeping to me. But Nick not sleeping. Nick wants help. He comes to me.”

Kevin frowns and hears the stop on the tape recorder as the tape stops, already full. Sighing, he opens the case and turns the tape over, ready to listen to her again. “Why did your father tell you that?”

“It’s a secret…mommy no know.”

“Will you tell me?”

Eliez frowns and grips her hands tightly on the arms of the cushioned leather chair: “No! No! NO! NOOOOOOO!” She yells out, screaming loudly as Jasmine rushes into the room alarmed.

Kevin jumped at the pitch high screaming released from the little girl causing him to stagger out of his seat in shock.

“What’s going on?!” Jasmine cuts a look to the doctor as she cuddles her daughter to her chest.

“I don’t know.” He states bewildered. “I asked her one question and she began screaming it out.”

Jasmine nods and takes her daughter’s hand pulling her off the seat.

“I think that’s enough for now doctor. She isn’t ready for this type of treatment yet, she’s far too young to understand the concept of death.”

“Mrs. Carter…I think it would be a bad idea for you to walk out of here without some form of answers. I think your daughter was close to something there, like something is holding her back from speaking. Does your husband ever think of coming in for appointments?”

Jasmine holds Eliez tightly in her arms clutching her to her chest: “No…he’s ok with it. It hurts him, but unlike him I don’t know what else to do or who to turn to about my son’s death.”

“Its understandable. Perhaps we should see each other shortly then. I’m free at one tomorrow, I think I need to understand your side of the whole story.” Kevin glances at her as she nods.

“I’ll think about it.”

“I’m only here to help get some answers for you Mrs. Carter. I don’t want you to feel it’s a mandatory thing to come see me. It’s your choice. But I want to help you and I’m hoping you’ll take this into consideration.” Kevin stands up, pushing the stool to the corner of the room.

Jasmine nods and opens the door, holding a shivering Eliez in her arms. Worriedly glancing at her daughter clinging to her shoulders in fear, she walks out of the office closing the door behind her.

Gulping, Kevin shakes his head and sighs, plopping down behind his desk on his office chair, the memories of the little girl suddenly acting up threw him off. He didn’t know what to speculate: is it possible the little girl sees a ghost or that some paranormal activity is taking place around them and they don’t even know it? Or could it be something else…something more. Tapping the tips of his fingers on the mahogany desk, he puts the recorder down rewinding it and replaying it again to see if he can figure out something. Listening closely, he can almost hear a very faint if not far away sound of an infant crying. Frowning, he shuts off the recorder hearing nothing out of the ordinary besides the child’s outburst. Leaning back in his seat, he closes his eyes and waits for the next patient to come in.
~*~

He frowns, his eyes locked on the platinum watch before him on the coffee desk.

“You staring at it: isn’t going to give you answers.” Arianna’s voice seeps in, stepping into the small cozy living room.

“I know that. I just want to know how it ended up at the Carter’s place.” Damien mumbles, drumming his fingers on the coffee table.

“She’s right, I say go over there and demand some answers.” A.J. replies, kicking his feet up on the coffee table.

Damien raises his eyebrows and eyes A.J. and his feet on the table.

“What?” A.J. asks, crossing his ankles as he lounges back.

“You don’t listen do you?” Damien eyes the man.

A.J. snorts: “Nope.” As he keeps his feet on the coffee table eagerly wanting to anger his friend.

Arianna smiles, sitting besides Damien watching her boyfriend licks his upper lip.

“Dude please, I’ll whip your white ass to black if you keep looking at me like that.” A.J. taunts out, sitting up with a smug look on his face.

Damien shakes his head smirking: “The only ass you’re touching is your girl’s. Now get your feet off my table before I kick them off.” He smiles, eager to see if the man will test his low patience.

Arianna clears her throat, touching Damien by the shoulder: “Oh I made a cupcake for you, why don’t you come check it out in the kitchen right now?”

A.J. smiles keeping his gaze on his friend: “Take a deep breath buddy. Seriously, you’ll give yourself a hernia or ulcer stressing out so much. That and I heard your dick shrinks from stress.”

Arianna holds back her laughter keeping her gaze on Damien who smirks and flips the man off.

Laughing, A.J. sits up as Makenzie exits the kitchen with a small metal tray of cup cakes in her hands.

Damien leans back as his eyes remained locked on the watch before him. He wants answers and he needed them now.
~**~


**~To Be Continued…~**
A Dead Man's Words by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”


~Chapter Fifteen- A Dead Man’s Words

He pulls the dark shades over his eyes as he can hear the soft giggles of his sister running past him. Snickering, he sits up from the beach chair seeing Eliez sticking her tongue out at him and playfully tossing sand in the air before him.

“Wanna play?” Eliez beams out giggling, her small hands dig in the warm sand as she scoops up mounds of sand in a pile besides her.

He smiles, shaking his head. “Mom…hey mom.” Nick calls out to Jasmine who seemed to be relaxing in her own lounge chair clothed in just a simply one piece navy blue bathing suit.

“Hmm…what is it honey?”

“Just wondering if you got the drinks I asked for.” Nick grins, rubbing his hands together.

Laughing gently, she nods and points to the ice box: “I got two dozen of it since you and your friends swallow those things so fast.” Smiling, he walks past her as the doorbell rings loudly from the backyard.

“Ohh looks like your friends are here.” She smiles as Eliez scoops another pile of sand from her sand box besides their grand pool in the backyard.

Whistling, Nick opens the front door as A.J. stands before him holding a large keg.

“Dude are you crazy?! It’s a small barbeque not a rave party.” Nick blurts out, his light eyes taking in the keg.

Damien laughs as Brian pushes past them to the front door.

“I told him, but he didn’t listen. I however bought soda and chips since its just us.” Brian grins proudly, stepping into the house to head to the backyard.

“Jerk off.” A.J. snorts, stepping into the house with the keg. “Hehe so Nicky where do I put this?”

“Up your ass cause you’re not bringing that out there with my mom and baby sis out there.” Nick eyes him as Damien steps in holding a white cake box.

“What’s with the cake?” Nick goes over to his friend taking the cake box.

“Just a little something we got along the way.” Damien whistles, opening it to reveal a picture of a model woman wearing nothing if anything visible to the imagination on the cake along with that the words in red icing that wrote out “Would you like to eat me?”

Nick’s mouth drops open and smiles: “You want to embarrass me today don’t you?”

“Heh, it was all Alex’s idea. I just bought it that’s all.” Damien snickers: stepping aside waving to Jasmine who had stepped in at the moment.

“Ohhh you got a cake. What’s the celebration for?” Jasmine beams eyeing the young men.

A.J. looks over at Brian and Damien before busting out in laughter.

Jasmine raises her eyes brows, going over to the cake. “Ohh let me see, this is nice of you boys bringing some dessert over.”

“No problem Mrs. Carter.” Brian grins mischievously, wiggling his eyebrows at Nick.

Holding back a laugh, Nick quickly places the top of the white cardboard cover quickly over the cake as Jasmine pokes her son on the side.

“What’s wrong with the cake?” Jasmine curiously asks, edging around Nick to see what he could be hiding.

A.J. burst out laughing as Damien covers his mouth watching Nick grin and back away.

“Mom the guys were just joshing around. You don’t wanna see this.” Nick smirks.

“What’s wrong with the cake?” She asks frowning: backing Nick into a corner. “Sweetie, let me see the cake.”

By now all three of Nick’s friends were on the floor dying of laughter as Jasmine’s frowns deepen. Snatching the cake box out of her son’s hands, she flips open the cover to reveal the almost nude picture.

Dying of laughter, A.J. points out that even the pubes were crafted in to create that special vibe sending the young men there into laughter.

Smirking, Jasmine shakes her head: “Oh my…well…that’s quite the picture. You can put the cake on the table outside sweetie.” She clears her throat, looking at the other guys oddly before heading off.

“Dude…your mom totally wanted to wig out there when she saw the cake. I could tell, her expression said it all.” Damien snickers carrying the rest of the drinks to the backyard.

A.J. looks over at Nick, a smile spread over his face: “You know you wanna laugh man, its real funny. Come on, the fact that the cake came so well designed including pubes pics gotta be great right?”

Nick biting his lower lip: breaks into laugh heading to the backyard with a snickering A.J. behind him.

Damien sets up the stereo hearing Eliez sneak up behind him covering his eyes: “Hey…sweetie. I can’t see.”

Eliez giggles and lets her hands go, the then three year old watching him curiously as he connects the plug and wire. “What that?” She bubbles out.

“This plays music. You know what music is right?” He asks watching Nick tip toe behind Eliez.

Eliez nods and claps her hands as Nick picks up the little toddler kissing her pretty little face all over sending Eliez to squeal out in laughter.

Damien smiles softly and blinks seeing another one of his friends walk in with a few women behind him.

“Heh…Orlando and his English charm again. I tell ya I’m about to start faking an accent myself to lure the women in.” A.J. smirks, settling down on a beach chair.

A loud splashing was heard as Brian throws a dark hair beauty in the pool.

“Hey, hey that’s my woman…or well she’s gonna be my woman so hands off.” A.J. shouts out scrolling over to some woman to introduce himself.

Jasmine smiles watching this and sits on her beach chair as Arianna runs to Nick and both cuddle in the corner. She turns her head to Damien holding a then three year old Eliez in his arms as she giggles out something to him.

Feeling content, Jasmine lies back to let the sunlight hit her sun kissed skin, rolling to her side she closes her eyes for a moment before hearing a loud giggle and soft padding of feet coming towards her direction. Opening her eyes, she looks around the now empty backyard and frowns, sighing. Realizing it was only a distant memory, Jasmine sits up from the beach chair looking around the lonely pool. A soft breeze ripples the clear blue water in the pool as a soft humming of a distant bee swarm over the blooming flowers of the arriving summer.

“Honey…are you ok?” She hears Roger’s voice behind her. Turning over on the beach chair, she smiles, nodding her head.

“Another one of those huh?” He whispers out, kneeling down to her height gently cupping her face.

“Yeah…” She sadly murmurs out. “The more I think about it, the more memories fill my mind. I miss him so much. That was my baby boy Roger, my little boy and now he’s gone from me…from us.” She chokes out feeling her husband’s arm wrap around her tightly.

Holding tightly to her, he kisses the top of her head and sighs, “We’re going to make it. He wouldn’t want you to be so sad. You know he was a happy kid and always wanted the best for us.”

“I know Roger…I know my baby boy.” She barely whispers out, clutching the front of his white wife beater to her.

“We can take Eli out for some ice cream and that can help clear your head.”

Looking at him she smiles softly, pressing her lips against his: “Thank you.”

Roger smiles and stands up, holding Jasmine in his arms, carrying the woman inside their house.
~*~

“Lean your head back, I need to divide the hair up right.”

Makenzie tilts her head feeling Arianna’s hands gently comb her hair.

Sitting behind her, Arianna uses the comb to create a zigzag design to part Makenzie’s hair. Using a black part pizzazz to easily create an intricate parting she smiles and clips it in Makenzie’s hair, leaving many of the golden tresses to fall out beautifully.

“Oh you’ll like this.” Arianna smiles: shoving a hand mirror in Makenzie’s hand. “Hehe, I’m so gifted in this, normally I charge people for this but you’re a cool girl, so its on the house.”

Laughing, Makenzie’s holds the small mirror, checking out her hair in satisfaction: “Thanks. Wow…this is some stuff you did here. Heh, Alex is gonna flip when he sees me.”

“Well that or he’ll strip you right there and take you.” Arianna snickers, handing Makenzie back the comb and brush.

Clearing her throat, Makenzie turns to face the young woman and smiles: “I…I have a question…hope you don’t mind.”

“Oh no go ahead.” Arianna yawns, stretching out on the sofa behind her.

“Ok…how long have you and well Nick been together…” Makenzie states slowly hoping to catch Arianna in something or trip up her story.

Simply smiling, Arianna locks eyes with the emerald eyed woman before her: “For six months…I thought I had found the man of my dreams…but stuff happens and you move on you know.”

“Stuff? Ohh…well I was reading something in the papers the other day and it said you were still with Nick since the day of the incident…but you’re dating another man…so I’m kinda confused.”

Arianna blinks and grumbles under her breath wishing for once the guys were in the room with her. She looked to the front door hoping A.J or Damien would stroll in to break the conversation cause she was running out of answers in this lie.

“Umm…well…that’s the media always screwing with people. We were friends by then, you know it was time to move and all and we called it quits. But reporters like to add their own little twist and mess the stories up making it seem like I was cheating or something on Nick, which God no! I would never do that. I loved Nick, he was a sweetheart…” Arianna looks away almost fooling herself at how well she played it off.

“Ohhh…so you were friends with him for a bit before dating again? Cause it seems kinda cruel that you would date his friend while being around him don’t you think?” Makenzie narrows her eyes, scrolling over to Arianna who seemed spaced off.

“Yup.” Arianna smirks, clipping her own locks to settle back on the sofa.

Makenzie trains her eyes on the woman as she gets up gathering her hair products to put back in her handbag quietly.

Arianna smirks rolling to her side: “Its too bad that happened to him…Nick was such a sweetheart. God bless his heart…he was even packed in all the right places…” She whispers out in an almost haunting voice, lost in her thoughts.

Blinking at Arianna, Makenzie runs a hand through her flaxen hair plopping down on a seat besides her: “Err…uhh…ok.”

Lying on the sofa, she hears the soft chuckling of the two men who enter the living room. Quickly plopping besides Arianna, Damien pulls the fair-headed woman on his lap kissing her.

Rolling her eyes, Makenzie watches A.J. slid into the room and sit on her lap smirking. Giggling she wraps her arms around A.J.’s waist as he snickers kissing her softly.

“Ugh…you smell of smoke baby.” Makenzie frowns, pushing away from the man as he smirks.

“Sorry babe, I needed a nice smoke, the craving was hitting again. But ladies what did we miss?” A.J. slides off her lap, snuggling the woman to him.

Arianna cuts a glare at A.J. and snorts: “Nothing…nothing at all. Damien sweetie I’m gonna go in the kitchen, wanna come with me?”

“Uh not really.” He yawns, leaning back on the sofa.

Pinching his arm, she smiles: “No you do wanna go with me. I left something on the top counter and I can’t reach it.”

Damien nods, “Sure thing baby…you two behave.” He smirks, heading to the kitchen following behind Arianna in the kitchen.

“Heh…what happened?” He asks once out of earshot from the others.

“She asked me about Nick and you.” Arianna frowns, drumming her fingers on the kitchen counter.

“And I’m guessing you said what we rehearsed right?” He steps up behind her whispering in her ear.

Sniffing, she quickly nods and leans back against him: “How long do we have till she knows?”

“Not sure…I need to find out the watch situation first and then we can spill the beans to Mrs. Crazy bitch Carter.” He smirks, running a hand down her side.

Arianna nods, scratching her elbow: “She’s getting too curious…Makenzie.”

Damien wraps his arms tightly around her: “So let her be…but if you crack and tell her, your ass is mine.” He threatens her, pushing away from her to put the drinks away in the fridge.

Sniffing, she wipes her eyes, leaning against the counter: “How can you be so cold hearted? This is getting to me and you just stand there!”

Damien blinks and snorts, throwing his arms in the air: “What the hell you want me to do? I can’t change what we did. What’s done is done. We gotta deal with it.”

Silently crying, she leans against the counter, wiping the stray tears that cross her pale cheeks.

Sighing, he goes over to her and whispers: “We’re gonna be ok. Shh don’t cry baby. I’ll be right here. I won’t let anything happen to you. I would risk my life to save yours and you know that.”

She smiles softly, placing her head on his chest: “Thank you…I love you.”

“Back at you.” He whispers out, rubbing her back in circles. “Me and the boys are gonna do a crack down at Carter’s place. I think the bitch is taking stuff from me and I need to make sure.”

“Did you ask Roger?” She furrows her brows eager to get back to the others so the others don’t suspect things.

“He doesn’t know though I’m sure his wife would tell me…that is if she’s willing to talk to me since the accident.”

She sighs and exits the kitchen heading back to the others in disarray.
~*~

She watches the cartoon closely, her big eyes glued to the screen of Casper the ghost floating into his little animated room. Grinning, she pulls her cabbage patch doll to her: “Molly look. Shhhh…mommy no know.”

Eliez sits in her room quietly, tugging on her pink cotton bear blanket. Giggling she watches the cartoon in interest as she sways side to side, humming to the song on the show. Shutting off her tv, she blinks seeing her room door swing open suddenly with no one in front of the door. Curiosity getting to her: she runs out the door and looks out the long hallway seeing no one.

“Mommy?” She calls out, walking slowly down the dim hallway. “Mommy?” She tries again, hearing nothing but her own voice and soft breathing. Raising her eyebrows, she goes across the hallway into the bathroom and smiles picking up her red crayon that seemed to have rolled into the room. Giggling, she exits the bathroom and stands before the mahogany plank walls scribbling a repetitive statement over and over again. She smiles as she hears her mother coming up the steps besides her with a basket of laundry.

Jasmine gasps, dropping the basket, standing besides her little girl. “What have you done Eli?”

Eliez looks up at her mother, skipping back to her room as if nothing was wrong. Jasmine quivers, her eyes scanning over the poorly written words: but it was clear enough to be understood. The bright red scribbled words clearly spelled out over and over again on the wall: ‘Nick hear.’ Jasmine trembles slightly, feeling her mouth drop open as she falls to her knees in shock.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Sweet Tough Words by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”


~Chapter Sixteen- Sweet Tough Words

He drops the sheet of paper on the table in surprise at the story Jasmine went on to explain. “Ok…ok…let me get this straight. Your daughter Eliez wrote that all over the wall in front of you and did you ask her about it?” Kevin raises his eyes brows, his gaze focused on the little girl playing with the open toy chest on the floor near the chaise.

“I know its beyond odd! To think she managed to write that just scared the living daylights out of me. I don’t know what to do with her. I know she needs to talk about things and when I try she becomes closed off or just becomes silent.” Jasmine lets out her burdens, glad to have made the appointment with the doctor as she goes on to tell him about the issue.

“Let me talk with Eliez and see if she wants to share anything with me.” Kevin languidly strolls over to the child kneeling besides her. “Eliez sweetie, can we talk?”

Eliez snaps her head up gulping as she frowns. “I’m good. I no trouble.” She pouts fearing she was involved in some trouble.

“Oh no no, you’re not in trouble. I want to know how you are. You ok?” Kevin looks at her, softening his expression in hopes she was willing to share today.

Eliez smiles, tilting her head as she gives him a quick nod: her little hands crawl over to a lego piece snapping a red piece with a green one.

Clearing his throat, he maintains his gaze on her as she quietly puts together the small colorful lego pieces to create a strange what seemed like a face.

Kevin softly smiles, looking down at the legos. “Your daughter is quite creative. In fact, she seems like a little genius to make this.”

“What did she make?” Jasmine examines the red and green pieces as she gasps. Her lips contort into horror as she keeps her gaze on the lego shaped face.

Gulping, Kevin looks over at the woman trying to understand, “Mrs. Carter what is it?”

“Oh God…that’s my son! She made my baby!” Jasmine cries out, shaking her head rapidly at the sight.

Kevin looks over at the child in confusion and raises his eyebrows as she sits on her backside, her little legs sprawled out on the lush midnight carpet before her. He nervously reaches over for a pad of paper to take down notes as Eliez hums softly building a little tower quietly lost in her own world.

Jasmine holds back a sob, her light eyes frozen on Nick’s profile. “My baby…my baby…” She chokes out quietly, blinking back tears as she sits back in the chair astonished.

Kevin eyes both of them and frowns realizing the mother and child had a long way of healing before they can move on in their lives.
~*~

His eyes scroll over the tidy apartment, picking up a small mantle frame in his hands. He wanted to understand who the victim was and hopefully hide some clues that can lead to the reason for the young man’s death on the roadside. He spots a crate fill of folders and drawings. “Can you hand me that?”

Damien blinks and rolls his eyes, kicking the crate over to the officer. Howie frowns and quickly stops the crate from crashing into him with his foot. He eyes the young man walking around idly in the apartment as if almost annoyed or bothered he was offered to come.

“There seems to be a lot of pictures of his friends and family but none of them of just him. In fact there are no pictures of him at all.” Howie raises his eyebrows.

Damien smirks and pulls out his wallet pulling out a photo of a blonde haired man with piercing blue eyes. The man in the photo seemed to fit the description perfectly.

“Wow…that’s Nick huh?” Howie looks over the photo. “Can I keep this picture? I’ll need it for later.”

“Yeah sure…do whatever you want with it.” Damien shrugs, leaning on the window sill.

“Thanks. So he had a close relationship with his girlfriend correct?”

Damien smiles, “He sure did…that is…until he cheated on her.”

Howie shakes his head: “Oh…look kid if you know something fill me in ok?”

Damien towers over the man smiling: “If something pops up, I’ll make you’ll be the first to know.”

Howie nods and eyes the photo quickly tucking it into his pocket: “Thanks…why do you have the only picture just out of curiosity?”

“There’s tons of them man. Right over here.” Damien pulls out a thick green photo album to hand it over to the officer. “You can look through it all. It’s some basic photos. He was going into modeling but changed that fast when he got a scholarship for music.” Damien calmly states, strolling over to a wooden chair to push it against the small kitchen table.

Howie quickly walks through the apartment, pulling out his camera to snap a few photos of the rooms and what once existed within the confinements of the apartment. “Alright then. I got all I needed. Thanks for taking me here, I was beginning to wonder if the man had an actual place he lived at. Like you would be lying to me or something heh.”

Damien smiles: “Well sir that would be wrong on my part to lie to an officer on duty now wouldn’t it?”

Howie nods, tucking the photo of Nick away stepping over to the entrance of the front door: “Well I’m going to head back to the station since there is new evidence now. Thank you for your time.”

Damien nods: “Yeah no problem…” He trails off looking out the window to the floors below.

Howie eyes the young man and exits, closing the door behind him. Damien sighs and smiles, wiping his hands against the sides of his jeans as his cell goes off. Quickly answering, he hears his friend’s voice on the other line.

“How was the bloody look over?” His English friend blurts out.

“Damn no hi or how you doing huh?” Damien grumbles out, plopping into a chair.

“Sorry…hi how you doing…now answer the question.” Orlando smirks leaning back against the driver’s seat.

“Jerk off…” Damien rolls eyes, “He bought it. In fact I even showed him the picture which really surprised the hell out of him.”

“Well I thought that photo might come in handy…by the way he’s back in town…”

“Oh yeah…where he at?” Damien sits up, running a hand through his dark hair.

“Behind you.” The fair headed man asks, snatching the cell out of Damien’s hand.

“Ass wipe.” Damien smirks as the young man hangs up the call.

“Is everything working out like it’s supposed to?” The man asks, pushing a crate against the wall.

“Yeah yeah…to a tee if you’re happy. I swear if I go jail for your ass I’ll make sure someone comes after you.” Damien grins, heading over to the window.

“Well good. The last I need is for anyone else to know. Just glad you’re doing everything the way its planned. I mean you got the girl and isn’t that a nice treat?” The blonde haired man asks, eyeing his friend.

“Am I complaining?” Damien smiles, grabbing his car keys heading to the door.

“Just making sure.” The man states, grabbing Damien from behind the collar of his shirt and shoving him against the wall pulling out a pistol. “Because if Mrs. Carter doesn’t stop making up these fantasy stories about me or that she knows me, I’ll come back in town and take care of business myself. I don’t like nobody to take me for a fool. She don’t know me and I don’t know her.

Damien gulps, hearing the sound of the cold clip of the gun behind him. “Relax…I got you man. You’ll be fine.”

“Yeah cause if she starts bullshitting again, I’ll kill you off first.” The man rasps out shoving Damien out of the apartment as he follows him.

Frowning, Damien turns around harshly whispering out: “Fuck you. I did everything to fake your so called death so the lady can move on. Mr. Carter told us the whole plan and made it happen. You should be happy its over now.”

Nick laughs, clapping his hands: “Ok ok…I’ll give you that. The plan is working out good. Hell, I saw the body, nice job on it. It looks like me and everything. We’re pretty lucky Carter works in the medical field and able to have access to the corpses.”

Damien annoyed, nods: “Yeah yeah. And don’t ever touch me again dude.”

“Thought you liked being touched.” Nick grins, teasing his friend.

“Not by you.” Damien tugs on his shirt heading down the stairs.

“Not a word to the cops D. Shhhh…quiet. Got that?” Nick calls out from the top of the stairwell.

“Yup…nothing to worry about man.” Damien waves his friend off, exiting the building and heads over to his car.

Nick smirks, tucking his pistol away and heads out the back exit of the building, throwing a hoodie over his head.
~*~


He holds his stomach feeling the cramps as he continues to laugh: “You didn’t like the little present we sent you boy? I thought you would have enjoyed it, seeing Nick back in town.” A.J. smirks, twirling a rubber band around his pointer finger.

Damien frowns, shifting in his seat feeling Arianna’s hand on his shoulder.

“Aw baby its not that bad. He had to come back to check out the plans were working out. I was trying to tell you last night but you had other things in mind…” She smiles sitting on his lap.

A.J. smirks, sitting across from them. “We all knew…we didn’t want to ruin the surprise for you when Nicky boy came back. You know, I can’t blame the guy for bolting out of this crazy town. I would hate to be him at the moment.”

Damien nibbles his lower lip, “Heh…yeah…”

“So where’s Makenzie today?” Arianna cuddles with Damien, eyeing the rugged man.

A.J. smiles: “Waiting for me at my place. You know she was asking me strange questions Ari…you didn’t happen to mention anything to her that could have her acting so curious now do you?”

“No. I told Damien she’s getting too curious. She’s asking to many questions. The other time you guys left me with her, she was asking me questions about Nick and me and how was it possible that if Nick was dead that I’m dating another man or something like that.”

“And you told her what we went through on that right? Cause…if she knows Ari…that would be trouble for us. And we don’t want trouble.” A.J. calmly states, leaning back against the sofa.

“I know…” She whispers out, excusing herself for a moment.

A.J. frowns narrowing his eyes at Damien: “She’s cracking…you better keep an eye on her.”

“She won’t. Don’t worry.” Damien sighs, “Its just crazy we all managed to sabotage a car to make it look like it was the accident. And the body…wow…that was pretty deep, well at least for her.”

A.J. shrugs, getting up: “I’m going to my girl, keep a look out and if you need Nick, he’s staying at the hotal Rwanda near the bay for the next two days.”

“K, cool. I got the number.”

“Good boy.” A.J. smirks seeing Arianna trudge back into the living room. “Well goldilocks, I’m heading out. You take care of my boy.”

“Not a problem. I keep him happy.” Arianna settles on the sofa, adjusting her halter top.

“I know you do…damn…” A.J. strolls his eyes over her to check her out as Damien throws a pillow at the man.

“Relax…just checking out the inventory. I got the real deal back at home. Peace. I’m out of here.” A.J. grins, strolling out of the apartment.

Arianna giggles as Damien laughs and pulls the woman out of the room.
~*~

Bethany yawns, crawling over the cool night blue sheets of her bed flopping down on her stomach. Her eyes lazily watch the late night program of Conan O’ Brian as she drums her red French painted mails on the edge of her bed.

“Thany you sleeping yet?” She hears her cousin’s voice calls out from the hallway.

“No why?” Bethany responds back, sitting up as Janelly steps into the room.

“Wanted to talk to you that’s all. You’ve been a little distracted recently. Is everything ok?” Janelly asks, sitting on the edge of the bed, her fingers entwined with the blue covers.

“Yeah I’m fine.”

“You sure? I know you’re worried about Eli.”

“I feel bad for the little girl. She’s dealing with the loss of her brother and I don’t know what to do to help her out. I mean her mom isn’t exactly all there herself you know and what’s up with that hubby of hers? He’s a little off himself.” Bethany wraps her arms around a soft black satin pillow, resting her head on it.

“He’s dealing too, I’m sure its hard for the entire family.”

“Oh I know that. Its…its maybe nothing. I’m probably just making it seem more than it is, but I think there’s more to this than we both know. Like you know, I feel like there’s a secret with friends and I’m the only one that doesn’t know.” Bethany frowns, plucking off a small lint off the pillow.

“Why do you feel that way? You seem to get along with the younger people around this community just fine.” Janelly smiles: softly running her hand through her cousin’s long dark hair.

“Oh I do. I mean especially this one girl, who’s dating one of the guys. She’s a sweetheart. And I think she feels the same way. Like her boyfriend isn’t telling her something either. But it’s probably us just over thinking about things and probably nothing.” Bethany shrugs, lying on her stomach as she mutes the television.

“Maybe. You get some rest then. I gotta get up early for work.” Janelly whispers, kissing the top of her cousin’s head, getting off the bed.

“Night.” Bethany waves as her cousin steps out of the room closing the door behind her.

Turning off the television, Bethany yawns and ties up her hair as she looks over the night stand seeing the red light on her cell. “I got voicemail?” She curiously pops open the cell listening to the voicemail left by Makenzie.

“Ummm…hey girl. I know it’s a bit late to be calling, but don’t worry just wanted to leave you a quick message. I think something is definitely going on and we don’t know it. Arianna is acting shady about things and I was questioning her yesterday and she seemed strange answering it. I mean its like she doesn’t care her boyfriend…err ex is dead. Like its not a big deal for her. I don’t know, I just thought you might like to know cause I know Eliez is acting weird too. Did you hear what she did yesterday? Roger told A.J. and he told me. The poor thing was scribbling on the walls that her brother is around or something like that. I feel so bad for her. She’s so little and she has to deal with this loss. But yeah I have to go, night.”

Bethany blinks and saves the message making sure she called the woman in the morning as she turns off the light settling down for the night sleep.
~*~

Eliez yawns cuddling against her doll as she smiles falling asleep. Jasmine watches her daughter sleeping, smiling softly as the sight of her baby girl. Going back to her master bedroom, she crawls on the bed, the room already dark as her husband lied on his back in deep sleep already. She closes her eyes and sinks herself into sleep enjoying the peace and calm that filled her. She shifts and sits up, looking over at the clock to see its three thirty already. Getting up to use the bathroom, she goes to the sink to wash her hands with warm water as the bathroom mirror fogs up before her. She looks at the mirror and scrolls with a finger her son’s name slowly: ‘Nick’ on it before frowning. Suddenly she leans her head back and crashes the mirror with her forehead sending shards of glass to spill on the white tiles, quickly breaking it.

Jasmine gasps touching her forehead as she jumps out of bed snapping her eyes open, only to see it was nightmare. Frowning, she hated these dreams that invaded her at times. She tried to understand what it all meant, she knew her son was gone and that nothing can bring him back to her, but she had that hope inside her, that maybe…just maybe he’s still out there safe from harms way. Call it a mother’s instinct, but down in her heart she knew her little boy had to be ok somehow.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Dead Expressions by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”

~Chapter Seventeen- Dead Expressions

The small black pebble skims over the quiet still pond, skipping silently across the surface of the dark water. He watches the pebble sink shortly after its ride, disappearing under the surface. The only other sounds around him as he kneels down on the ground: is the chirping of the crickets. Inhaling a cool wisp of late spring air, he leans back against the tree watching a few stray robins fluttering towards the pond. The night sky above him was a reminder of things to come and he loved being outside for the moment, to feel that strange sensation of freedom.

“Is this where you usually go to when you come back to Oakland?” Roger asks, kneeling down besides the man gazing out into the dark pond.

Nick looks over at the man and snorts: “At times yeah. Seems to be the only nice place this town has without all the people in your face.”

Roger looks over at the young man and smiles: “I know this is a big mess with you being involved in my wife’s mind. She always had some form of fascination with you.”

“Yeah I tend to do that with women, guess it doesn’t matter what age.” Nick smirks, resting his head back against the bark of the tree.

“She’s seeing a therapist since one of her friends had advised her to go and she seems to be doing ok.” Roger softly states, plopping down on the dirt and grass below him.

“I don’t need ok. I need her to get done with this completely. Look, not for nothing, I’m sure she’s a good woman and all but I can’t keep coming here thinking she’s going to go after me cause she has this idea that I’m her lost son or something. She needs to know, I’m not her kid. Never was, never will be. I’m not her blood relative in anyway and she’s a stranger to me. Yet she knows my some of my friends and uses one of them as a backup for the way her son is.” Nick scowls out, crossing his arms across his chest.

“I know its frustrating and all. That’s why I went through with the killing the memory off with the death. But I know she keeps having these so called memories and its driving me insane. I tried to get Eliez to play along but she can’t keep doing it. My doctor said its not doing well for her. It’s too much pressure for a four year old to deal with at all. She doesn’t know what’s going on and I can’t blame her.” Roger slowly explains letting out a frustrated sigh.

Nick sniffs the musty clear air, standing up, shoving his hands in his pockets. A soft cool breeze fans his beige snug t-shirt as he looks around. “You know if you wanted to, you could have told her a long time ago before it got messy like it is now. I don’t get why you couldn’t be upfront and let her deal with it instead of letting her live in this dream state where she thinks her kid lived.”

Roger frowns, standing up besides him: “I didn’t want to be the one to kill her life with the painful truth. Nick you have no idea the trauma she endured when she lost her child during her pregnancy. You don’t know what I had to see and deal with when her unborn son miscarriage and left her to deal with the pain. I couldn’t just go up to her months later and say its ok. She’s highly sensitive…she held the pain in for far too long. She told me she felt a connection with the baby and couldn’t let the idea drop that her little son wasn’t coming back.” Sighing, Roger licks his lower lip: “I wanted to get her help, I talked with her many times, that what she was dealing with was normal and painful. But she didn’t want to hear it. She couldn’t bear the thought that she lost her first child. Mind you was only in her early twenties when she was carrying her child.”

“I get that it hurt her and I know she went through a lot. But I don’t understand how you can let this go on for years in advance. Hell the moment she saw me back when I was five she couldn’t take her eyes off me. My mom got the creeps and moved the hell out of there while my dad came back and made trips with me to his job back here. But Carter man…you messed up in the head too to let her go on like this.” Nick tosses a stick in the still pond, sending ripples shattering across the surface.

“You don’t get it do you? The moment she saw you was when she lived again. It was all the life she was missing was brought back the moment she laid eyes on you. You made her go in life. She didn’t want to live: she had given up after the loss of her child. But something about you caught her eye and she was able to go on. I have to thank you for keeping her hope up. Even if you never intended to do that.” Roger smirks, resting his hands on his own hips, his eyes glaze over the dark pond.

“Yeah well thanks for nothing…” Nick murmurs as Roger rakes a hand through his own hair. “Here I am, wanting to get my life back together and everything is all set up here when your wife starts taking things…you know she stole a few stuff from my friend right?”

Roger raises his eyes brows: “What?”

“I wasn’t gonna mention it, but my buddy is missing a few of his clothes the last time he went to do some laundry at the laundry mat. Hell I think your wife got his watch too.” Nick clicks the roof of his tongue.

Roger frowns, shaking his head: “I didn’t know that. Why didn’t anyone tell me that?”

Nick shrugs: “You have a tendency to listen through your ass doctor Carter. No harm done though right? Though I’m sure you can get the personal belongings back to the owner quickly.”

Roger snorts, digging the heel of his foot on the dirt: “Yeah…I’ll do that shortly.”

“Good thing man. Wouldn’t want to have to think your wife is becoming a clepto.” Nick smirks, twirling the silver thumb ring on his hand walking off.

Roger frowns with the new info and heads back to his car lost in thought.
~*~

Holding the hose, he nods giving her the cue to let the water out. Arianna smiles, turning the small metal faucet the hose was connected to. Grinning evilly, she turns it on full blast to her unexpected boyfriend.

Damien whistles and looks at the opening of the hose waiting for the water to come out. “Any day now.”

“Oh it’s coming.” She yells out as a blast of cold water sprays out hitting the man full force soaking him completely.

Damien blinks and drops the hose, wiping his eyes as the hose begins to take a life of its own, spraying hard the water all around the set.

Laughing hard, Arianna holds her side as A.J. and Brian run onset to catch the crazed hose.

Damien sputters out water, blinking away the water falling down his eyes as some of the camera people take cover hiding the equipment in case of possible damage. “What the fuck are you doing?!” He glares at Arianna who smiles and slowly stops laughing seeing the anger in her boyfriend eyes.

“God relax boy…everything is safe, the only thing that got soaked was you.” She watches the hose waving around the set as Brian rushes to turn off the water.

Makenzie smirks, sitting on a fold out chair watching the others as she gets a call on her cell phone. Quickly snapping it open, she slides off the chair walking away from all the screaming and running around on set. “Hello?”

“Hey, its Bethany. Got your message, what’s up?”

“Oh hey girl…did you notice it too?” Makenzie blurts out.

“To be honest…I don’t really know how Arianna is like. I haven’t really talked with her.”

“Ooohh come down the set, Damien is doing a film project for a while and everyone is here helping out. I heard mister can I have a cup of tea will be here as well.” Makenzie beams, brushing back a lock of golden hair over her shoulder.

Bethany smiles at the thought, looking around her tidy room: “Well I guess…since I have nothing to do and maybe it’s a good idea I talk some with that Arianna girl. Cause the way she’s acting sounds a little shady…maybe there’s more to the story then she let’s on.”

“Hehe perfect. And you need to see this, the set is soaked cause she let the hose go out of control.” Makenzie snickers watching the group of maintenance workers clean up the pool of water gathering around.

“HAHA, she gives blondes a bad name.” Bethany smirks, tying up her hair, putting a butterfly clip on it, exiting her house.

“I know, its getting crazy. I wonder how the guy puts up with her. She seems like a ditz at times.” Makenzie settles back on a chair watching the crew clean up the set.

“Heh…maybe she gives him something else then…” Bethany snickers, getting into her car red sports car. “So you’re gonna give me the directions right or should I just guess and pull up anywhere?”

“Oh heh…right that…” Makenzie giggles out, giving her the address. “So see ya soon then.” Hanging up, she settles back watching Damien pulling the fair headed woman out of the studio.

“Baby I was just messing around. I didn’t think you would have let the hose go.” Arianna eyes him.

“AHH oh my freaking God, please tell me you didn’t just say that shit to me? Water was blasting in my eyes and you didn’t think I would just stay stand there letting it hit me now did you?” Damien grumbles, dripping wet as he tries to drain some of the water off his light blue t-shirt.

“Sorry…I wasn’t thinking about that. If anything is damaged, I’ll pay for it.”

“Its fine, I got insurance before hand, figured someone would attempt to mess things up.” Damien scowls out, his light eyes burning into her.

“Geez relax boy. I’ll make it up to you. Ok? Please just calm it down.” Arianna whispers out, gently folding a dry napkin and patting it across his wet forehead.

Damien frowns tugging on his shirt: “I’m beginning to think you like to see me wet.”

“Normally I always thought it was the other way around. But I guess you’re more of a bitch than I thought.” Nick voice comes out from behind them.

Arianna snickers as Damien smiles turning around to greet his friend.

“Hey, glad to see you finally made it.” Damien tosses a wet towel aside flipping his friend off.

“Yeah well…had to see what was going on here. And I had an interest.” Nick smirks, tugging on the rim of his trucker’s baseball hat.

“Yeah yeah…get inside, the next set is about to get shot.” Damien smirks, entering the studio now dry from the water fiasco mess.

Nick follows him inside, looking around the set and sits down on an empty seat, feeling the boring of eyes on him from a petite fair headed woman. Raising his eyebrows, he turns to the woman and eyes her: “What?”

“Nothing…I never seen you before that’s all.” The emerald eyed woman takes in the man before her.

“Ohhh…D needed my help with the set so I came down here today. Hi, I’m Xander, you?” Nick smiles, extending his hand out to her.

“Ohh…hi. I’m Makenzie, here to help out my boyfriend on set.”

“Oh you dating who?” Nick sits up, pulling the rim of his baseball hat down to cover more of his face. He didn’t like the way the woman was glued looking at him.

“Alex.” She smiles watching A.J. slide across the set a little wet from the spraying hose.

“Good luck, he’s like a wild horse.” Nick grins, leaning back against the director’s chair.

“He’s not that bad. He’s a good boy.” She smiles at A.J. proudly as he winks and blows a kiss at her.

“Yeah, he’s a good guy, just unexpected.” Nick smiles as A.J. runs over to Makenzie.

“Babe you need saving from this guy?” A.J. smiles: wiggling his eyebrows.

She smiles, shaking her head as Nick looks over at his friend.

“So A.J. how’s that movie thing coming along?” Nick asks watching Brian run after a missing mop on the set.

“Going good man…” A.J. smirks.

Orlando strolls into the set with a tray of drinks, carrying an ice box with cold drinks, making his way over to the others.

Orlando blinks, looking at Nick surprised to see the man here today. “Uh hey hi.”

“Hi man, you remember me right? Xander.” Nick smiles, eyeing the man to play along.

“Yeah…damn there we go. Your name escaped me for a moment.” Orlando smiles big, patting the man on his back.

Makenzie smiles, watching, slowly taking this all in, fascinated with the new man that wondered on the set.

Damien strolls over to the group and smiles: “The movie can’t be done if everyone is just hanging around doing nothing.”

“Damn, really? I thought what we were doing was productive enough.” A.J. smiles cheekily, sitting on a fold out chair besides Makenzie.

“Heh…yeah really.” Damien eyes Nick as the camera men begin to set up.

Raising his eyebrows, Nick gets off the chair pulling Damien aside: “What?”

“Nothing. Just looking.” Damien smirks, pushing the man away.

“I know I look good.” Nick blows a kiss at his friend getting a few laughs.

Damien smiles, shaking his head: “Aight, A.J. get into costume, I need to see how the bad guy is gonna look like.”

Sliding off his seat, A.J. smiles strolling over to the costume set up to pull out a few items needed for the character.

Makenzie watches the others, taking in Nick curiously as the back doors swing open.

All eyes turn back to see Bethany strolling in languidly, her hair tied up in a knotted bun with dark shades over her eyes.

Arianna raises her eyebrows and smirks: “Does she think she’s a diva that she gets all this attention?”

Damien gets on a bullhorn, standing up on the arms of a chair: “Alright bitches. Get your asses in a seat and stop moving around. I got two hours to wrap up the final scenes before this goes into editing.”
The others boo and laugh as everyone settles down to begin the filming again.
~*~

Running the bathwater, he slides in the tub to let the tension out. He tried to call Mr. Carter but got nothing but either the voicemail or the answering machine, which was beginning to get on his nerves. Letting the warm water soak his bare back, he rest his head on the back of the tub closing his eyes for a moment to try to relax. The receptionist suggested the bath and he was glad to have listened. He lets the thoughts of the days pass him as he was left with more puzzles and less answers than he thought he had. There were no witnesses to the case, which made it harder to find out what really was the cause of the accident.

Lying back quietly in the tub he smiles slowly beginning to feel relaxed when he hears a loud banging at the front of his house door. Jumping up, he gets out of the tub, quietly wrapping a towel around his waist, running to the door. Opening the front door of his apt, he steps out in the hallway looking around to see it empty.

“What was that about?” He murmurs out annoyed, stepping back when he feels a soft sheet of paper against the sole of his right foot. Looking down, he spots a blank envelope with what seemed like a letter inside. He brings the envelope inside, sliding the letter out. Lying the letter open on the table, he scans over the scribbled words reading it over again to make sure it was real.

-Those that ask questions, get no real answers. You want the truth and I have it. Does it drive you crazy to know that the solution is real simple? That maybe you’re looking all around you and the answer is there. The mother doesn’t know what her son does but her son can talk for himself. Only problem is…he’s already dead. Doesn’t that suck?” –

Howie blinks, carefully tucking the letter in and frowns seeing the signature of the person at the bottom of the paper. “That little son of a…”

Calling the station, he issues a warrant out for the arrest and hangs up, ready to end this case and get the real answers he needed.
~*~

“And that’s a wrap for now. We’re done for today.” Damien yawns, as the set crew begins to put away the equipment away.

Sitting back in her chair, Makenzie sat quietly waiting for A.J. to finish changing so they can head back. Bethany and Orlando had already left the set an hour ago but Arianna was busy bustling around to get a chance to talk with Bethany. Brian and Nick had wondered off just ten minutes ago, leaving just her around waiting.

Sighing, she sees the crew leave as Damien and Arianna run off set waving bye to them. Feeling a soft kiss on her cheek, she smiles, taking A.J.’s hand as they leave off set to get home.

Arianna slumps back tiredly on the sofa after arriving home an hour ago, flipping through a magazine lounging around the living room bored. Damien had went to shower up as she sat around restless looking through some music magazines. Resting her chin on her hand, she shuffles in her seat and hears the front door bell ring. Grumbling, she gets up, tugging on her pink satin robe as she opens the door blinking to see two police officers there.

“Umm…can I help you?” She eyes the two wearily.

One of the cops poke his head around the threshold and shows her a picture of her boyfriend. “Does he live here?”

“Umm…why are you asking?”

“Because he’s under arrest.” The police officer states, pulling out his handcuffs.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Just Another Face by Jamelet
“A Mother’s Tale”

~Chapter Eighteen- Just Another Face

She gulps, “Let…let me get him.” Arianna whispers out, stumbling down the hallway. Running to the closed bathroom, she knocks rapidly, her breathing quicken at the sight of the officers.

“Baby 5-0 is here!” She squeals out, tugging on her robe tighter around her lithe body.

Damien opens the bathroom door with a shock expression across face: “What? Why are they here?”

She shivers, whispering out: “They want to take you.”

“You mean arrest me?” He blinks stepping out of the bathroom tossing a towel over his shoulder as he shuffles out in his boxers. “Where are they?” He whispers out as she points down the hallway.

“Living room…we’ll be ok right? They don’t have anything on us.” She gulps down the lump rising in her throat.

Damien sighs, running a hand down his face: “Just relax…fuck…ok just stay here, I’ll take care of it.” He whispers out, pushing her aside. “Just go in the room and I’ll handle this.”

Arianna opens the bedroom door, nibbling her lower lip. “This is all Roger’s fault. Just tell the cops about him already because this gets worse.”

“Baby I wish I could right now, but its not that easy. Now shhh…be calm and I’ll handle this.” Damien whispers in her ear, caressing her face as she smiles kissing him.

“Good…I can’t pay for this house on my own you know.” She teases, stepping in the bedroom quietly closing the door behind her.

Damien exhales, walking barefooted into the living room. He looks over at the two officers smiling: “Umm…can I help you?”

The first officer snickers, taking off his cop hat: “You Damien?”

Damien nods, eyeing them carefully.

The second officer glances around the house whistling: “Nice place you got here. So…sit down sir. We have a few things to discuss.”

Damien frowns, pulling up a stool sitting down: “What’s going on?”

The first officer pulls out a radio turning it on as he smiles, tossing his hat to the side.

“What the hell are you two doing?” Damien frowns deepens as the first cop smiles.

“We heard you needed some cheering up.” The now stripper begins to take off his clothes.

Damien smirks and looks away: “I’m gonna kill his ass…did A.J. put up two up to this?”

The second officer with dark hair shakes his head: “Nope a rather light haired man did. Said you liked men strippers.”

Damien’s mouth drops as Arianna burst out in a laughter stepping into the room.

“HAHA Oh My God…Nick is such a kidder.”

Damien turns his head to the woman: “Oh he’s a kidder alright…heh...just watch till I get his ass tomorrow.”

“Well sir its understandable why you’re so drawn to that man, he’s quiet attractive.” One of the dark haired male strippers replies: turning off the radio and packing up.

“Well I’m sorry to burst your bubble, I’m straight though I have a friend who wouldn’t mind your company or dance. Here’s his address, just ask for Brian.” Damien smiles cheekily as Arianna holds her side laughing hard at the joke.

The cop strippers bow and smile, waving goodbye to them as they exit the house.

Damien turns to her with a smug look on his face: “You knew about this?”

“No. I had no clue. I was freaking out thinking they were real and stuff.” She whispers out, plopping down the sofa pulling him besides her.

“Maybe its time the police know the truth.” Arianna whispers out. “Because the next time it could be the real cops and I can’t keep hiding out thinking we’re gonna get caught.”

Sighing, Damien slumps, lost in thought: “Alright…I’ll do that…Contact A.J. and fill him in, I’m going to the police station.”

Arianna smiles softly: “About time you came to your senses. Another scare like this and I was have told them myself.”

“Don’t need to worry about that now since the police will know.” He kisses the top of her head, heading back to his room.

She sits back closing her eyes grinning that finally she can rest once the cops understood where they were coming from.
~*~

Eliez hums a song sitting on her bed, combing out her barbie’s hair. Silently opening her bedroom door, Roger creeps in and sits besides her smiling.

“Hey honey. How you doing?” He whispers out.

Eliez looks up at him and smiles: “Ok. Daddy look at my Barbie.” She beams holding the Hawaiian dark hair doll to him.

“Aw pumpkin she looks very pretty like you. I wanted to see how you doing. The nice doctor said you’re really quiet when you and mommy go see him. Why?”

Eliez shrugs and smiles, looking up at him. “He don’t know. Shh...”

Frowning, Roger takes her in his arms cuddling her: “Care bear listen to me. When you talk to the doctor you’re being a good girl. But maybe its time you stop playing pretend now with the story.”

“But daddy I see Nick.”

“Honey you don’t see him. Remember I made him up for you.”

“No daddy…I see Nick when mommy was with doctor. He nice.” She wiggles her little legs under her blue shorts humming softly to herself.

“You saw Nick?” He raises his eyebrows, “And what did he look like?”

Eliez giggles and holds her ken doll up pointing to the light hair and bright light eyes.

Roger sighs, nodding: “Ok honey listen to me. Nick came back in town the other day. Whatever you do, don’t tell mommy about it.”

Eliez nods and sits up facing him, placing her little hands on his cheeks squishing them: “Can I play with Nick soon?”

“Soon honey you’ll see him. But remember shhh…mommy can’t know Nick is gonna visit. Its not good for her ok.”

“K…mommy sicky.” Eliez whispers out watching her father stand up holding her to him smiling.

“That’s right. And you’ve been such a good girl. How about we get some ice cream in the kitchen.” He watches his daughter nod and beam at the idea of something cold and sweet before bedtime.

Heading down the hallway, Roger peeks into the lounge room seeing his wife spread out on the sofa filing her nails as her eyes remained fixated on the soap opera before her. Smiling, he heads to the kitchen as Eliez watches her mother sullenly, almost as if she wanted to comfort her torn mother in distress.
~*~

He opens the door seeing Damien there and smirks, “What?”

“I’ll telling.”

A.J. blinks, “Huh what?”

“I’m going to the cops…I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately and I think we should confess our side of the story.” Damien blurts out, shoving his hands into his front jean pockets, looking around nervously.

“Why the hell are you paranoid now suddenly? We got some time. No need to rush the whole ordeal. Besides Nick would need to know before you pull a stunt like that.” A.J. leans an arm on the threshold eyeing his jittery friend cautiously. “Come in, you getting me nervous you standing around like that.”

Damien nods, stepping in: “Some cops stopped by my place today. Two of them.”

A.J. blinks feeling his mouth slowly drop open. “Oh damn! They know?”

“Shhh…” He looks around for Makenzie and seeing the living room empty drags his friend there: “No…seems Nick thought it was funny to set up fake cops to stop by my place…”

“Fake cops?! What the hell is that?!” A.J. cuts him off, frowning.

“He was goofing off…it wasn’t real cops…just look, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and I think we be safer if the 5-0 knew something.” Damien loudly whispers out, not trusting that Makenzie could walk in and hear their conversation if not careful.

“Hell no! You kidding me?! What the fuck is 5-0 gonna do for us? The moment they know they’ll go to Roger and guess who will have to deal with him…us. And he’ll probably go after your ass first.” A.J. leans back against the cream wall, eying his friend.

Grumbling, Damien slides into a seat: “Ok so what then? Don’t you think its time they know. What if one of the cops think I really had something to do with all that?”

A.J. smirks, shaking his head: “And all this time I thought Nick was the blonde one.”

Damien smiles, flipping his friend off: “I’m just a little stressed that’s all.”

Snorting, A.J. grabs his remote turning on the news: “Look at it this way my boy at least there are no more clues or talk about Nick from the news. So rest assure, nothing to worry about.”

“Yeah yeah…so what’s up with you then?”

“Me and the lady doing great.” He eyes his friend as he sits up, “Just wondering why she keeps asking me about Nick. She seems fascinated with Xander as he’s called.”

Damien snickers, shaking his head: “Ehh…” After a quiet second, a loud pounding at the front door happens. Jumping up to his feet, he watches A.J. scramble over to the door answering it.

“Yo…” A.J. watches as Nick pushes his way into the house. “Oh no please come in dude.” He snorts, closing the door behind him as he eyes the tall blonde. “So what’s with the sudden visit?”

“I missed you and wanted to share a bowl of ice cream with you.” Nick rasps out sarcastically, smirking as his eyes land on Damien. “Don’t I get a thank you for thinking about you sending those strippers over?”

“Ass wipe. That was lame.” Damien smiles, leaning back in his seat.

“Oh the harsh words man. Really…could hurt a guy’s soul like that.” Nick grins, sliding on the sofa eyeing them. “What’s going on?”

“Nothing…just thinking through things.” A.J. shuffles over to a loveseat, sitting down, throwing his legs on the arm of it.

“Who was doing the thinking?” Nick tugs on his snug t-shirt eyeing them as they remained quiet. “Don’t all talk at once. Seems you guys shut up when I came here. Hope I didn’t ruin a moment with you two.”

A.J. snorts, rubbing his nose gently: “Trust me, the orgy happens every Friday’s, we got a few more days till that so we’re fine.” Sitting back with a grin at his joke.

“All male huh? I’m surprised you guys can sit right.” Nick grins, placing a leg over his lap.

Damien wraps an arm on the back of the sofa snickering: “We heal fast.”

“Good to know.” Nick smiles, eyeing them. “Why don’t you just tell me what you were both talking about? I’m sure I can be enlightened.”

Damien blinks holding back a laugh: “And who showed you that word?”

Nick smiles, flipping him off: “Your girl last night after I had her screaming my name.” As Damien laughs, sitting back in the sofa.

“Ooooooohhh haha.” A.J. sits back watching them, “Guys I got some drinks on ice, want any?”

“Yeah sure.” Nick yawns, eyeing Damien. “So yeah when A.J. gets back we got some stuff to go over to make sure we’re all on the same mind track. I wouldn’t want anyone just running off to the cops throwing all of us in trouble you know.”

“Yeah we know. Nothing like half a truth to ease the tension with the police.” Damien smirks, clearing his throat at the sight of Makenzie stepping into the room.

Eyeing the two men, she waves shyly: “I didn’t know we had company.”

“Sorry…hope we didn’t intrude on anything.” Nick responds, smiling back at her.

“Oh heh, no no. Just surprised that’s all.” Makenzie grins, heading into the kitchen.

“Nice little bitch…keep her innocent from this mess.” Nick whispers out to Damien. “Make sure A.J. doesn’t have her guessing. We’re already in a deep mess as it is already.”

“Its ok. She doesn’t know, just curious. That’s all she’ll be.”

“Right…I got an idea…better then what A.J. thought of.” Nick beams, his sapphire orbs glimmer in mischief.

“Wow…you have an idea…the world really has come to an end.” A.J. strolls back in, with drinks in hand.

Nick snickers, looking around.

“She went out to the store man. What’s the idea?” A.J. smirks, putting his drink down on the coffee table.

“Heh…right…so this is the idea…” Nick begins to explain, wondering how far can they really go and pull through without getting them in jail for what they were about to do.
~*~

Howie looks over at her, nodding: “I’m glad you finally came to see me Mrs. Carter. This really is sweet of you bringing these brownies over to the station.”

“Oh well I thought it was only fit and for what you did before watching over and stuff, I’m really grateful for that and thankful. And plus I had some left over brownies, wouldn’t want to throw them away and such.” She eyes the young officer sitting behind his desk, munching happily on his piece of brownies.

“Mmm…these are incredible Jasmine. I wished I knew how to do this.”

“Well I can give you the recipe though I’m sure your girlfriend knows how to as well.” She pulls on the hem of her shirt eyeing the office.

Howie smirks, wiping his mouth with a napkin, quickly forming a ball out of it to shoot it into a basket across the room. Tossing the ball of napkin, he watches it hit the end of the basket and plop in grinning to himself.

“Nice shot.”

“Why thank you…and I’m sure she would know…if I had a girlfriend.” Howie stands up, clearing his throat.

“Ohh oops. Thought you did.” Jasmine smiles at the man momentarily, before backing up to the office door. “Well I should get home, my husband is waiting for me at home and I don’t want to be traveling too late and stuff.”

“Right. Well listen…now that you reminded me…I left a message on the answering machine a while back, but I don’t think you got it. It was about if you had a photo of your son.” Howie whispers out. “But don’t worry about it.”

“I have pictures of him…I…I can bring some in if you need it for the case.” She exhales, gulping. Memories rushing over her as she fights back the oncoming tears.

“Ohh God, I’m sorry Jasmine. I shouldn’t have said that. Here, you rest for a little bit and when you’re ready to head out, I’ll drop you off if you need.”

Jasmine gulps, sitting down on a seat glad she took a taxi and not her husband’s car, otherwise he would be worried about her more and she didn’t need to be the cause of that as well.
~**~


**~To Be Continued…~**
Guilty Under Sole Circumstances by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Nineteen- Guilty Under Sole Circumstances

He hands her a warm cup of coffee, his eyes trained on her as she curls up on the soft cushioned chair. Her pointer finger trace idly around the surface of the mug as she seemed lost in thought, her mind drifting elsewhere.

“Mrs…Jasmine…” Howie whispers out softly, leaning against the front ledge of his office desk. “I have to head out shortly to go home…if you want I can drop you off at your place so as not to be a bother to your husband.”

Jasmine looks over at him smiling softly: “That would be sweet of you. Thank you Howie. I…I should get home too. My Eli is probably wondering where her mother could have went if she wakes up in the middle of the night. Which she tends to do at times.”

“Yeah, ok. I’ll get my keys and you can wait outside of the station.” He smiles, taking the pan of brownies in his arms along with a few manila folders. She nods and steps outside the office, exiting the police station. Inhaling the cool crisp night, she leans against the side of the brick building watching the quiet traffic of cars pass along the side of the rising highway. Standing in the quiet night, she hears the glass doors near by her coming from the station as Howie steps out, heading over to her.

“My car is parked around the back. I’ll pull up over here in a few unless you wanna walk around this station with me. Its up to you.” He smiles, heading towards the left where the parking lot is located.

Deciding to follow along, she walks besides him: “That’s alright, I’ll walk with you. I don’t mind it. I needed to clear my head that’s all. I’m glad you offered to drive me home. It’s really no big deal. I can just call my husband up so you don’t have to go through all the trouble of driving all the way across town.”

“I got no one waiting for me at home, its ok.” Howie smiles as he reaches his black sports car.

Jasmine grins sadly, eyeing the car door at the passenger side: “My son was considering getting a car like this…” She trails off, looking around.

Howie clears his throat nodding as he unlocks the driver’s side, slipping in and leans over to open the passenger side for her. Hurriedly getting in, she locks the car door and settles back in the cool leather interior. She feels the warm leather begin to stick to her skin almost as if in an embrace and she shifts around to try to accommodate herself better. Her eyes fall back on the young officer who buckles up smiling over at her direction as he starts the ignition of the car, pulling out of the lot.

“I still remember where you live surprisingly.” Howie teases, turning onto a highway, boarding it.

Jasmine smiles, leaning back in the seat: “Oh that’s a good thing right?”

“I would hope so. Cause I hate to get lost in the night with a beautiful woman and not be able to bring her back to her husband.”

She giggles, glancing over at the man eyeing him curiously. She couldn’t figure out why a nice man like that was single. She was sure some woman would be in his life. “I don’t understand why a nice man like you remains single.”

“Same here.” Howie smiles, “Guess girls like bad boys and me working on the side of good must turn off some women.”

“Well not all women. Some of us like men in uniform.” She whispers out, resting her head on the cushioned headrest.

“Yeah…guess I gotta find one that likes that. Know of any one?” Howie smirks.

Jasmine smiles, “I’ll look around and let you know. Maybe you can luck out.” She whispers out, tugging on a strand of golden hair that fell out of place.

Howie nods: “Thanks, I’ll need it.” He speeds down the highway passing cars on the lanes besides him.

Jasmine tilts her head taking the man in before her, she had to admit if she was half his age she would have attempted being slightly attracted to him not to say she didn’t already find this man nice on the eyes. She looks over his light blue police shirt and dark tie that was coming undone. She was tempted to lean over and fix it since it annoyed her when her husband left the ties like that. But restraining herself: she settles back further in her seat tugging on the seat belt.

Howie rides in silence and every once in a while would look over to her. “You can put some music if you like so we don’t have to ride in silence.”

She sits up shaking her head: “No its ok. I like the silence at times.” She drums her pink painted nails on her thigh feeling suddenly self conscious of herself as eyes pierce at her. She turns to Howie’s direction who is focused on driving as he turned his head back in time in hopes he wasn’t caught looking at her.

Almost feeling like a teenage girl at the thought of another man looking at her in an appealing matter made her feel young again. She couldn’t really recall the last time she felt that way. Since she had married young, she didn’t get a chance to date many men at all, not that she was having regrets about it. She had made a choice back then and was glad with it. However if it was happening now, she might have waited to jump into the chapel so quickly to get hitched.

She glances over at him to see him look over in concerned: “Is everything ok?”

“Oh yes, just thinking that’s all.” She responds back, trailing a hand through her flaxen locks as he pulls down their exit ramp, taking them down the familiar road of Oakland.

After a few minutes of silence, Howie props his hands on the steering wheel to take her in his glance before finally pulling up to her house. Parking in front of the house, he leaves the ignition on as he glances over to her: “Well home sweet home. You get some rest and hug little Eliez for me will ya?”

“Sure will.” She smiles, unbuckling her seat belt, her hand brisk across Howie’s upper arm as she slides off the belt. Her right hand slowly goes open the side door to get out but before she had the chance to do that, Howie leans over kissing her cheek softly.

“Hope that wasn’t too forward. I don’t want you to think I was trying to make a pass at you. I know you’re married…” Howie trails off, feeling a slight blush creep upon his cheeks.

Jasmine shakes her head softly laughing: “No its ok, its very sweet. Thank you Howie for dropping me off. Hope you enjoy the rest of the batch of brownies I gave you.”

“Oh I will, that won’t be a problem.” Howie smiles: waving at her goodbye, watching her make her way to the front of her house. Sighing, he drops his hand on the lever, shifting it to drive and pulls away from the house. Driving in deep thought, he goes through what just occurred. He felt truly sorry for the woman’s loss and he wished he could help track down the killer. He already saved the taunting letter and had sent cops over to Brian’s house. Since Brian himself seemed shady about the entire questioning process. In fact he was so close to arresting him but changed his mind since he couldn’t fully prove that the letter belonged to Brian. The only thing Brian told him was someone was trying to frame him. Howie already had a list given from Winterland on the possible suspects and he needed to start back at square one.

He goes down the block, looking back at Jasmine’s house before pulling up to a house a few houses down. Staying in the shadows, he looks at the dark house to the right of him frowning, wondering if Nick’s friends knew more than they were telling him. He taps his fingers on the steering wheel looking to see a porch light go on seeing a golden haired young woman stepping out into the porch. He narrows his eyes recognizing the woman as the one in the photo back at Nick’s apartment. Shifting in his seat, he shakes his leg impatiently as the woman wearing yellow pajama pants and a light pink camisole sit on the front swing porch talking on the phone. He exhales, leaning back watching the woman swing on the porch swing seemingly all happy about something.

He couldn’t help wonder if that woman could help him out. He tried to put the name with the face and came up with nothing. Finally coming up with a possible name, he steps out of the car and leans on the hood hidden in the shadows. He watches the woman after a few minutes hang up and call out to someone. The words were barely audible for him to understand from the distance he was at. He sits quietly on the hood, his legs drape over the front bender languidly as he remains focus on the couple across the street from him.

He sees Nick’s friend, the one first questioned crossing over to her as they embrace and laugh about something. Narrowing his eyes, he keeps a watch on them as they lovingly embrace and cuddle. Sighing and finding nothing out of the ordinary, Howie slides off the hood of his car ready to head back into his car when a car racing past him squeals to a stop before the house.

“Seems like a party…” Howie whispers to himself as a man with a goatee and dark hair slide out of a convertible with a pretty petite blonde in tow. Howie quietly goes inside his own car fumbling around looking for a pair of binoculars. Pulling it out, he adjusts the lens, placing it over his eyes as he sees the two couples more clearly now. The long legged blonde that came out of the house first was pretty on the eyes, she seemed bubbly and rather excited about something as the petite blonde goes over to her to talk. Howie watches the man with the goatee and smirks as the two men check out the women on the porch swing.

He tries to come up with names and remember the tall dark haired man name suddenly: “Damien…now what about the girl?” He pulls the binoculars away, pulling out his folder scanning over the names. “She’s Nick’s ex…or girlfriend…wow she got over him fast.” He frowns seeing a shadow lurking near the bushes of the group’s house. Howie focuses the binoculars on the shadow figure barely making out an image of a hooded man. Whoever the guy was his face was barely visible with the hoodie over him.

Howie watches the shadow figure of a man interact with the four young people as if they all seemed to be close friends. Finally the tall man opens the front door, inviting the others into the house. Keeping a close eye on the hooded man, Howie pulls the binoculars over his eyes again to look at the hooded man. He sees the two women and the tattooed man stroll into the house as the hooded man starts to follow in.

Stopping a few before entering, Howie sees the hooded man point towards his direction before disappearing inside. Blinking, Howie gulps wondering if they knew he was here. He slowly steps to his car door ready to head out before they got to curious.

Damien smiles and nodding his head, he moves aside to let Nick into the house. “Thanks for the warning…” He whispers out, jumping off the porch and going around his house.

Nick whispers calmly, once inside the house and smiles, gazing at Arianna. “Look at you. Aren’t you a pretty little thing?”

Arianna rolls her eyes, tugging on her pink camisole as she lies on her back on the sofa. “Xavier…” She snickers, saying the name.

Makenzie clears her throat watching them talk. A.J. pokes her, blowing her a kiss.

“Babe you want something to drink? D got a whole keg of liquor.” He smiles, wiggling his eyebrows at her.

“Oh no you are not drinking. I’m not dragging your drunk sorry ass home with you wasted.” Makenzie snorts, crossing her arms across her chest.

A.J. smiles resting his head on her lap: “Kenzie sweetie I’m just messing with you. I wouldn’t do that to you. Come here, give daddy some loving.”

Makenzie snickers, letting him wrap his arms around her as she watches Nick and Arianna whisper quietly huddled in the corner about something. Already Makenzie could feel something was up and she hated feeling out of the loop on things like this.

Damien whistles quietly walking around the house and through a wooded path going around the street. Smiling: he approaches the other end of the street: spotting the cop from before hand. “Well…well…well…guess Nicky boy had it right…wonder why the cop is doing around here?” He murmurs out.

Creeping up behind the police officer, he leans over whispering in the man’s ear: “Nice view from here?”

Howie blinks, startled turning around to see the young man. “Uh oh hi there.”

“Hey…so…did you get anything there?” Damien shrugs, leaning on the hood of the car.

“Look…sorry I didn’t mean to be spying on you. I just wanted to come talk to you but you seem to have company over. So I’ll stop by later.”

“Talk? I thought we already did that.” Damien whispers out, narrowing his light eyes at the man.

“Nothing wrong with some conversation. Perhaps you know of something going on with your friend. I’m sure he must have told you.” Howie leans over the threshold of the driver’s seat.

Damien shrugs, leaning back on the hood of the car: “I have a lot of friends, where are you going with this?”

“Look kid…if you know something…you would tell the police right? I mean if you were in danger you would tell me right?” Howie eyes the man who seemed to have quieted down. “You would tell one of us right? You’re not in danger of anything, I mean its not like you’re gonna get in trouble.” Howie stops, watching Damien shift uncomfortably from foot to foot.

Damien clears his throat, rolling his eyes: “You kinda ruined the moment when I was with my girl. Just to let you know, we knew you were looking…”

Howie blinks: “Oh sorry, didn’t mean anything by it. I… I’m gonna go.”

“Yeah…you do that. And hey if I know something from one of my friends I’ll make sure to pass it along to you.” Damien smiles waving off the cop as Howie slides into the car, pulling away from the scene, racing off down the road.

Smirking, Damien shakes his head and heads back inside to inform the others.
~*~

She closes her eyes, bringing her arms up to cover herself from the splashing bubbles. She looks over at Eliez laughing from the bubbles in the bathtub and smiles.

“Honey I don’t know why you made that mess when I left. And now it’s all late in the night I have to take you a bath again.” She pinches her little girl’s cheeks.

Eliez smiles: flicking the bubbles off her little chubby hands smiling proudly at her mom. “Me nice now. No more mess.” She speaks out clearly, her bright light eyes shining. “Finish. I wanna go to sleep now.”

Jasmine nods, wrapping a big fluffy white towel around her child’s body picking her up heading to the little girl’s room. Eliez cuddles her arms around her mother’s neck as she stands on her bed, her mother quickly dressing her up in her little purple gown and undies.

“Ok sweetie, I’m getting tired, I’m gonna go wash up and you get some sleep ok.” Jasmine smiles watching Eliez lie back crawling under the covers.

“K mommy night night.” She whispers out waving to her mother as Jasmine steps out, heading back to the bathroom to wash up. Eliez lies on the bed blinking, whispering out softly to herself: “Nick where are you? I see you.” She whispers out, yawning as she rolls to the side, closing her eyes for sleep.
~**~


**~To Be Continued…~**
Dirty Little Secret by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Twenty- Dirty Little Secret

He lazily gazes up at the spinning ceiling fan, the morning light striking the mahogany blades exquisitely, sending out a faint glow off the edges of the fan. Sighing, he shifts and rolls over on his side on the bed feeling his wife besides him buried under the covers. Roger lightly traces his hands over his wife’s waist gazing at her buried form.

“Honey you awake?” He whispers out, lightly shaking her. When he got no response, he smiles and slips out of bed heading down the hallway to check on his daughter. Reaching the white painted door, he slides himself into his daughter’s room and quietly heads to her bed, kneeling down besides the bed to gaze at her.

Eliez opens her eyes and smiles, sitting up yawning.

“Aw sorry, did I wake you up?” Roger whispers out, gently running a hand through her hair.

Eliez shakes her head, watching him curiously. “Daddy I see Nick .”

“You saw him?”

She nods, grabbing her cabbage patch doll, pulling it up against her chest.

“Where? Outside the other day?” He smirks watching her.

She smiles, simply nodding. “But I shhhh…no tell mommy. Mommy no know.”

“That’s a good girl and it’s going to stay that way for now.” He sits on the edge of her bed, running a hand through her baby soft golden locks.

“Daddy how long?” She bubbles out tugging on the dark hair of the doll.

Exhaling, he gulps looking around: “Soon baby girl. We’ll tell mommy soon and everything will be ok.”

Eliez frowns, shifting in her bed as she slides out, dragging her doll behind her on the floor, clutching an arm of the doll.

“What is it sweetie?” Roger whispers out, watching his daughter reach the window pointing to it.

“Is someone out there?” He asks again, heading to her direction.

She nods her head, “Nick, outside.”

Roger blinks, creeping over to the small oval window, slowly sliding open the window. He sticks his head out, seeing sure enough the hooded man waving back at him from his backyard. Smirking, he waves to the man and looks back at Eliez.

“Well sweetie you’re right. You stay here and be quiet. Make sure mommy don’t know ok? I’m gonna talk with our friend.” Roger smiles, kissing the center Eliez’s forehead before rushing off outside to the back yard.

Eliez crawls up on the window porch, clutching her doll against her chest, her eyes trained on Nick who smile and waves at her as Roger arrives pulling him aside away from her view. She tilts her head and crawls off the window ledge. “Nick, Nick, Nick, Nick, Nick…” She taunts out, repeating the name as if it was a new game, a rather odd fascination with the formation of how the word forms on her lips.

Skipping over to the tv, she turns it on murmuring out the name against her lips as her room door is slowly opened. Turning around she smiles to see the tall blonde man slip in along with her father as they approach her. She watches curiously, happy that finally she gets to talk to the man after so long.

Nick kneels down on both knees smiling as he eyes her: “Hey Eliez good morning. How you doing today?” He quietly whispers out, sticking his hand out to her.

Giggling, she takes his hand shaking it as she looks over to her father with a quizzical expression.

Roger kneels down besides him smiling: “See honey you were right. He wanted to come meet you finally since I’m always talking about you.”

Eliez giggles, eyeing the stranger before her. “Hell…O.” She bubbles out, fascinated with the man seeing him so close up. Many times she saw him from a distant but this morning was the first time she saw him so up close. His bright sapphire orbs gleam brightly under the morning light.

Nick nods, smiling looking around the room: “You have a nice room here.”

“Tank you.” She smiles, turning back to her tv as Sesame Street begins.

Nick smirks, standing up. “Roger I need to speak to you for a moment. The reason why I came here at this time. She’s not awake is she?” He whispers out, nervously eyeing the child bedroom.

“No, she’s knocked out. I gave her some sleeping meds before she went to bed cause she was having problems sleeping again.”

“Oh ok…good then. She’ll be out for a while then.” Nick quietly states, ruffling Eliez’s hair playfully waving bye to her.

Eliez so focused on her program simply lifts a hand waving bye, her eyes remained glued on the tv smiling as Grover a little blue monster appears with a bucket on screen. Nick laughs softly, shaking his head as he steps out of the room along with Roger. Both quietly exit to the back door, standing in the backyard.

“So what’s with the early visit?” Roger asks, running a hand through his messy salt and pepper hair.

Nick smirks, “A cop came by last night…he was scoping out D’s place. Just thought if you were trying to set things up or something to send him over.”

Roger eyes him strangely: “Why would I send a cop over there?”

“Not sure…reason why I’m asking.” Nick eyes him serious.

“Look I have nothing to do with why a cop was there. I was here last night with my daughter and I was dead tired. I don’t see why a cop would be there unless…”

“Unless what?” Nick tenses up, frowning as he grabs Roger by the plain t-shirt collar shoving him against the wall. “What the fuck do you know?”

“I don’t!” Roger shoves the young man away. “Don’t you use that language here, my daughter can hear that.”

“Not my fault you dragged that little kid in this.” Nick huffs, frowning.

“I didn’t send a cop over ok, so don’t go down my throat on this.”

“Did you check out the stuff she stole?” Nick rolls his eyes, shoving his hands into his faded loose jean pockets.

“Not yet. You said it was clothes that was missing right?”

Nick nods, stepping down the porch: “Yeah look for some baseball caps, jerseys and some jewelry that you think looks suspicious.”

Roger raises his eyebrows, “Fine, I don’t see what the big deal is.”

“Just saying she could be taking stuff, that ain’t nice.” Nick eyes him as he steps off the back porch steps.

“I’ll see what I can do, she tends to be around all the time so its hard to check in the closet with her around.”

“You could always ask her. I’m sure she’ll tell you.” Nick smirks quickly disappearing from his sight rushing off behind the trees and back down the other side of the road.

Roger sighs, running a hand down his face as he goes back inside the house, slamming the door closed.
~*~

Howie sits up in the chair, his left leg on his right thigh as the news flash before him on the tv. He watches the recorded tape of the first news on the death of Nick to see if perhaps he could stop something that was different. Sighing, he leans back cupping a hand under his chin as he watches the scenery behind the reporter. Blinking, he rubs his eyes and sits up pausing the tape as he leans closer to the television spotting something odd.

“What is that?” He murmurs, seeing a strange shadow figure in the back as if it was trying to leave the scene of the crime.

Pulling out a magnifying glass, he places it on the screen to get a better glimpse of the shadow. Smirking, he quickly identified the familiar person and goes to his cell phone, dialing the number. Turning off the tv, he sits back lounging wondering what the man would tell him this time.

Damien blinks sleepily over at the phone in the hallway ringing, leaning against the wall.

“You just gonna look at it? Its not gonna answer itself you know.” Arianna smiles: wearing a short lingerie lilac gown as she stands besides the phone.

“You answer it.” Damien grunts, passing by her entering his bedroom, leaving the door slightly ajar.

Rolling her eyes she yanks the phone off the cradle: “Hello?”

“Morning…this is officer Dorough from precinct fifteen working on your friend’s case…I have a few questions…is Damien around?”

“No he’s not.” She blurts out, nervously passing a hand through her long golden locks. “Why? Is it something important?”

“Sort of, I spotted him in the background the day of the crime during the news being recorded…I know he was there that night so if you can pass the word for him to speak to me as soon as possible that would be great.”

Arianna gasps silently, covering her mouth: “I’ll make sure he gets the info…Thanks you.” She gulps hanging up padding down the hallway silently.

The door creaks open as she steps in gasping: “Oh shit…Oh shit!”

Damien blinks, eyeing her from his desk and smirks: “What?”

“That was the cop. Baby he said he spotted you out from the news the day we did the whole ‘death’ thing. Oh my God, what are we gonna?! He wants to talk to you.” Arianna gulps, nervously sitting down as her hands rake through her hair.

Damien exhales, going over to her cupping her face: “Its fine. He doesn’t have anything on me. Don’t freak out. I’ll just go and say that I was around the area and saw something strange and I came to the conclusion it had to do with Nick’s death.”

“But you already said you got a call from him and that you found from his call not from being there.” Arianna gulps. “This is what happens when we make up all these lies. Its coming back and kicking our ass. You should just tell him about Roger’s plan already. I thought you were going to.”

“I…I don’t know now. Once I say it I’m sure Roger will list all of us as well. And baby I can’t do time right now, that’s not gonna look good for my job you know.” He smiles softly, trying to joke off the matter at hand.

“Its not funny.” She frowns, sniffing, sliding back in the chair. “And did you see that girl Alex is with? I mean she’s nice and all but its like she wants to know and I saw the way she was looking at all of us last night especially Nick and I.”

Damien kneeling before, places his hands on her knees: “Look at me. She won’t know. We have bigger things to worry about than her curiosity. Trust me on this ok.”

“Its just…” She begins saying as Damien places a finger over her lips.

“Nothing bad is gonna happen. Roger will be the one getting in trouble and we’ll walk away from this clean. Once I got the insurance on the place we’re gonna get, we’ll get the hell out of here and screw everyone. You’re the only thing that matters to me.” Damien smirks.

Smiling sadly, she sits up cupping his face: “Really?”

“No.” Damien jokes, standing up passing her: “Let’s get something to eat, we gonna meet up with Orlando and Brian, you call A.J. and we’ll find out what to do now.”

“What about Nick?” She shifts over, to look at him.

“What about him? He’ll get the word and meet us. Stop stressing damn.” He smirks, stepping out of the room alone frowning. He reaches the kitchen and looks around standing there alone, tugging on the edge of his shirt softly cursing. “What the fuck am I gonna do? That wasn’t suppose to be on the tape…damn…” He frowns, lost in thought.
~*~

“And turn around and turn around until you make a stop. Turn to the east, turn to the west. Turn to the one that you like the best.” Jasmine smiles, watching Eliez giggle blindfolded in between her and her husband.

“Haha, come Eli point to daddy.” Roger calls out to her as he kneels down on the left of her.

“No go to mommy sweetie.” Jasmine giggles, standing to her daughter’s right, sitting on the sofa.

Smiling, Eliez tugs on the blindfold and points straight ahead: “I like Nick.” She bubbles out, pulling the blindfold off.

Jasmine’s smile fades instantly looking around the living room confused and in shock.

Frowning, Roger eyes Eliez shaking his head: “Care bear…you know Nick isn’t here. Why did you say that?”

Eliez simply smiles, skipping out of the room humming a song she learned off a cartoon earlier today.

Jasmine eyes Roger before breaking into tears, softly sobbing: “It hurts her too, to deal with this pain. I know some days will be harder than others and I just don’t know what else to do. She was doing good at the therapist. I mean Dr. Richardson has a level of understanding and can reach her but at times it just seems like she has so much to say but just closes up.”

Roger sits besides her cuddling her, whispering in her ear: “We’re going to make it through this. It hurts a lot but honey I don’t think Nick would want you to be sad all the time. You know he was a happy person and the last he wants to see if his mother so upset.”

“How you be so heartless at times?!” She chokes out, the thick tears run down her quivering cheeks. “Am I suppose to work around this place with a smile on my face when inside I’m already broken. It doesn’t work that way Roger.” She frowns, pushing away from him. “I’m going to see my baby.” She whispers out, exiting the room as he glares at her direction

“Nick the things I do for your ass.” He hisses out under his breath as he heads to his bedroom, opening the thick mahogany closet door. Pushing aside clothes hung on the multiple racks, he blindly reaches around the cluttered bottom of the closet, finding a box of clothes in it. Flipping the switch on, he blinks at the sudden harsh brightness, his eyes scanning over the clothes thrown in every direction. Kneeling down, he crawls to the box, tossing aside shirts and jeans as he pulls the taped up box to him. Grumbling to see the thick black masking tape on it, he fumbles in his pockets to find a small switchblade. Quickly jamming the blade into the top of the box, he pierces the tape, slicing it open to open the top of the cardboard box. Blinking, he looks into the box feeling his mouth go dry at the items in it. “I can’t believe this…” He whispers out, shaking his head as he continues to stare into the box in shock.
~*~

Jasmine watches Eliez skip around in the back yard with her doll clutched close to her. “Sweetie can you come here please.”

Eliez stops in the middle of her skip smiling at her mother as she quickly rushes over to her crawling onto her lap. Jasmine cuddles her kissing the top of her head: “Are you sad when you think of your brother?” She whispers out to her feeling Eliez shift and look up at her.

“Mommy no sad. Nick O-K.” She smiles gently tracing a finger over her mother’s lips.

“Alright honey just asking. I love you.” Jasmine smiles: kissing the tips of her daughter’s little finger on her lip.

Giggling, Eliez rest her head on her mother’s chest knowing she can’t wait till her mother knows what she knows.
~**~


**~To Be Continued…~**
Too Much Into It by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Twenty-One- Too Much Into It

He looks through the clothes and frowns, pulling it out of the box confused. “What is she doing with this?” Roger holds up a navy jersey taking out books and other belongings from the cardboard box. Frowning, he dumps the items back in the box picking it up heading to the back porch. Looking around for his wife he hears a soft giggle as Eliez spins around while her mother blows tiny bubbles at her.

Smiling, Roger leans against the threshold of the porch keeping his eyes trained on them. For that one moment, he watched them wondering how life would have been with his family if his wife didn’t suffer from the haunting memories that she created to help herself through the mourning. Stepping into the wooden back porch, the wood creaks under him as he drops the box on the floor, his eyes looking over at them.

“Daddy! Come heyour!” Eliez squeals out, bubbling out smiling as Jasmine looks over at him.

“What is it honey?” She calls out, eyeing Roger on the porch.

“Nothing…just watching you two play. You guys look like you were having fun, hope I didn’t interrupt that.” He smiles, getting a giggle out of Eliez.

“Na, you’re welcome to join us sweetie.” Jasmine smiles, sitting cross leg on the grass as little Eliez run around her mother excitedly.

Roger nods clearing his throat: “I will shortly. Just wanted to ask you something. I found this box in the closet, any idea where these items came from?”

Jasmine blinks, frowning getting up as she makes her over to him, her eyes dropping into the box. “What have you done?” She whispers out. “Do you know how much it hurts to look at those clothes and trophies?” She could already feel the gulp rising in her throat.

“Honey…where did you get these stuff?” Roger whispers out.

She frowns, glaring at him: “Are you crazy? How can you ask that? These are Nick’s.”

Roger sighs, leaning back against the porch, his eyes watching Eliez running towards their direction.

Jasmine sniffs, rubbing her eyes from the oncoming tears: “You should have left that alone.”

“Yeah I’m sorry that was wrong of me…” Roger frowns, absently twirling a silver watch with his fingers.

“Just put this all away. It hurts to look at all this, its too soon.” She chokes out, yanking the watch out of her husband’s hand, dumping it into the box closing the cardboard flaps on top.

“Relax…you stay here with Eli, I’ll put it away.” Roger gently takes her shaking hands in his, pulling her into a hug. “Shhh its ok…we’ll make it through this honey.”

Eliez watches them a few feet down from the yard, her eyes resting on a rolling basketball that came from the box. Her eyes watch the ball tumble down the stairs as the strong breeze pushes it away towards a bush. Giggling, she runs after the ball, seeing it disappear into the bush. Kneeling down, she sticks her little arms into the bushy overgrown bush in search of the orange basketball. Her hands brush against the ball as she frowns feeling something else strange pass her hands. She blindly searches for the ribbon that she felt brush against the hand and pulls it out frowning as she watches a crimson dripping shoelace. Tilting her head, she holds the bloody shoelace frowning as she stands up, walking over to her parents.

“Daddy. Look wah I found.” She holds up the shoelace, seeing the color drain from her father’s face.

Jasmine gulps, frowning at the shoelace and back at her husband. “Is that blood on it? Eli pumpkin put that down! Its dirty!”

Eliez drops the dirty shoelace watching her father as she skips off grabbing her cabbage patch doll walking back towards the bush.

Jasmine eyes her husband as she watches the bloody shoelace oddly, shaking her head as she enters the house looking back at the box.

Roger exhales, eyeing the box and brings it back inside following his wife.
~*~

Howie drums his fingers on his desk top flipping through shots of the crime scene as the door creaks open. Looking up, he sees Officer Winterland walk in as he holds a black and white photo in his hand. “Morning.”

“Morning Dorough. How was the breakfast?” Winterland yawns, scratching his thin strands, plopping on a chair before the desk.

“Pretty good considering I’m looking at these photos.”

“Graphic right?” Winterland booms out, placing his large hands on the desk.

“Yeah…” Howie frowns, “The night it happened. The whole incident with the man…do you think it’s a set up?”

Winterland raises his gray bushy eyebrows at the young officer snorting: “Didn’t we already clear this up. Its not a murder is was an accident. The road was dark and he couldn’t see good driving so he must have turned and went off the road. That’s the only conclusion. You know this already, why do you keep thinking it’s a murder?”

“Its just something isn’t adding right. You know I was watching the news I left recording the other day and I saw something in the background. Don’t know if you saw it, but…” He points to the computer screen, turning the monitor towards the man: “It looks like there were people involved with the crime. Especially this man.” Howie points to the shadow of a man with a pen.

Winterland raises his eyebrows, leaning closer to the monitor: “Well I’ll be damned…I never noticed that before. And did you talk with guy already?” Frowning the relentless young officer wouldn’t lay off the case already. Already Howie’s curiosity was getting to him and he was standing in the way of closing the case. Personally he didn’t want to do anything with this case since he himself took part of it. But Howie starts to put the pieces together of this case he could be trouble with the law himself. A crooked cop is never taken lightly but the law enforcement.

“Yeah I did…Look I sent a warrant out the other day to a guy because I assumed he was the one involved. However…because of the lack of evidence I couldn’t pinpoint him out. I have a note written by him threatening me. I just assumed he was trying to lead me to something more. So I took the liberty of sending some of guys here from the station to check it out.” Howie clears his throat, eyeing the older man.

“A warrant out to who exactly?”

“One of Nick’s friend, he name is Brian. The letter was signed with his signature on it and I called to get it checked out.”

“What happened with that?” Winterland asks curiously studying the monitor quietly.

“Nothing, Brian was stunned and confused about a letter being sent out. He’s innocent on that. Whoever sent it to me was trying to frame him because as the cops further questioned him he almost freaked out saying he couldn’t imagine who would do something like this to him. We took his word on it and the boys left him alone but I can’t wonder what exactly did Brian did that would get him suddenly framed or at least picked out of the group of friends to get exposed like that.” Howie whispers out, lost in thought as he leans back in the leather chair tapping his foot quietly.

“Who knows what’s going on with those kids. I say you’re on to something. Should we call them up and set up some kind of questioning. I know we already did it but some time passed now maybe the stories will differ.” Winterland smirks, placing his large hands over his round bulging stomach.

“Looks like your wife is feeding you well.” Howie smiles: gathering the black and white photos shoving it into a manila folder.

Winterland grins nodding: “Sure is. Betty makes this amazing dish its hard to not eat it all.”

“Heh, well I can’t blame you then. So…I’m thinking of calling the man in again. The one in the shadows on the screen. Cause now things are more detailed and his story will sound different since after all wasn’t he on the phone that night when his friend called so how could he be at the crime scene?” Howie raises his eyebrows, biting his lower lip softly.

“Tricky one there. I’ll start to set it up, you wanna see him now?”

“No no, I have a conference and another leading investigation on some domestic violence.” Howie frowns, staring at the screen, hearing Winterland exit the room quietly. He frowns watching the distinct visible man on the screen frowning: “What are you hiding? What do you really know?” He whispers out, tapping his fingers on the mahogany desk as he leans back in his seat gazing at the frozen screen on his computer.
~*~

Brian whistles shaking his head: “Whooaa…didn’t we tell you to stay out of that part? We figured the cops were on their way.”

“You’re missing the point. I’m on the tape. Meaning…” Damien starts out but gets cut off by A.J. who seems to be causally lounging back on a sofa.

“He’s screwed. Screwed…Let’s all say it together- Screwed.” He states slowly smiling.

The others snicker as Damien rolls his eyes.

“HAHA dude relax you’re all stressing out. They’re not gonna get you we’re your alibi.” A.J. grins as the others nodded.

“Besides if you were seen then I wouldn’t be surprised if any of us are caught up in the shot as well. I should have recorded the stupid news when I had the chance to.” Orlando frowns, tapping his foot watching the other five people in the room.

“Doubt it, the officer said he found D in the shot if it was any of us I’m sure he would have said so as well.” Arianna starts out.

“So what now? I mean I had the police stop by my house the other night in case ya didn’t know.” Brian grumbles, shaking his head.

Orlando blinks hearing the others gasps looking around the room.

“What do you mean the cops stopped by your place?” Nick grunts out, leaning against the wall and finally settling down on a sofa, sitting in a weathered blue t-shirt and dark loose jeans.

“Exactly what I said. Seems someone tried to get me a warrant because of some crazed psycho letter he got which get this had my name on it. So someone is setting me up.” Brian frowns glaring around the room.

“Its not us so stop it Rok. We’re in the same deep shit as you, you know its not us.” A.J. leans back on the sofa eyeing the others.

“You don’t all think its Roger now do you. Cause it would be the reason if anyone wants to see us caught.” Orlando crosses his arms before his chest eyeing the others.

“Has to be. Who else would sink that low besides his stupid ass?” A.J. snorts as Arianna shakes her head.

“So I take it the cops left after that right?” Nick continues on with the questions for Brian.

“Yeah they didn’t have valid info so they couldn’t arrest me on the spot but that doesn’t matter now its ok. Now it’s the tape we gotta worry about.” Brian’s eyes shift over to Damien who seemed quiet through the meeting lost in thought.

“D you got anything you wanna fill us in on?” A.J. yawns out, “GAHH its fucking ten in the morning who thought it would be fun to meet up at this time on a Sunday morning?”

Arianna smiles caressing Damien’s cheek: “Hey sweetie you here with us? Alex just asked you something.”

Damien blinks, shifting his eyes over to the man and smirks: “I thought it was important for all of us to get together to have an orgy. Nothing like a group thing to wake us all up.”

Nick snickers, sitting back on the sofa as Arianna giggles. Brian and A.J. smile as Orlando shakes his head smiling.

“At least we’re all here since the incident happened.” Damien murmurs.

Nick nods: “I’m sorry I thought it was the best idea for crazy Carter to lay off my case already.”

“Nick it’s not easy, that woman went through some serious trails when she was young.” Arianna finds herself defending the woman’s insanity.

“What? You think its ok to dwell on the miscarriage for twenty five years and then because you couldn’t move on or think to believe that your kid is gone you create a fictional story using real people? Well we’re not puppets and we don’t know her.” Nick clasps his hands behind his head, feeling the breeze of the air conditioner on him.

“No I’m not approving what she did…its just she’s a mother. For something that tragic it affects people differently and maybe she didn’t get a chance to mourn out with Roger probably pressing her to move on already. So we can’t start going down her throat on that.” Arianna sighs, looking at the men around her.

“Approving? Heh…can you spell that Arianna?” A.J. teases her seeing her growl and flip him off.

Damien glares over at A.J. slumping back on the sofa: “So what now? We already showed the cop the apartment. Now he wants to talk to me cause of what he saw on the tape.”

“We’ll come up with something for you to say, but I think you should see the cop. We don’t need them to get hostile and Officer Winterland is there so he can help you out.” Nick burps softly, smiling at the others.

“Nasty.” Arianna smiles: crawling on Damien’s lap.

“So its settled then? We’ll come up with a story and D will be fine. We got your back…” Nick smiles and thinks ‘Way back…’

“Perfect. So lets get to work on the story then and remember we all need to stick on this same one.” Orlando eyes the others, pulling out a sheet of paper and pen off the coffee table starting to write down some ideas.

Brian looks over at Nick who simply smiles looking over at Damien innocently.

“Relax you won’t get in trouble. I can talk people out of things and I’ll show you how too.” Nick calmly states as they begin to think of ideas of the alibi for their friend.
~**~


**~To Be Continued…~**
Pieces Falling Into Place by Jamelet
A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Twenty-Two- Pieces Falling Into Place

He nervously taps his foot on the dark lush blue carpet, his eyes constantly scanning the waiting room in trepidation. He didn’t really know why he came here to a doctor’s office, he needed someone to talk to about things and his wife offered up a nice man she knew and heard about. ‘Richardson’ Brian thinks to himself as he watches a familiar face step into the waiting room with a chart in her hand.

“Littrell?” The dark haired beauty states, looking over at him smiling.

“I’ve seen you before…wait at the party right?” Brian gets up strolling over to her.

Bethany nods, eyeing the man before her: “Yeah, you’re one of Orlando’s friends right?”

“Uh yeah… I didn’t know you worked here.” Brian quickly changes the topic as he clears his throat.

“Oh yeah, yeah I do. It pays good so I ain’t complaining.” Bethany shrugs, tossing her long dark hair behind her shoulders tying it up with a clip.

“Right…well I should go see the doctor then…” He trails off, his eyes drifting to the floor.

Bethany raises her eyebrows, watching him curiously. “If you’re nervous about seeing the doc he’s a cool guy. He doesn’t say much but when he does its always worth hearing.”

“Oh good, its just I never been here.”

“Eh its ok, we all need a little therapy…some more than others but it’s a good way to work through problems.” She clutches the clipboard to her chest. “Just go down this hallway, first door to the left and that’s his office.”

Nodding he waves and heads down the hallway finding the first door to his left already open as the young doctor sat behind a desk. Quietly walking into the room, he closes the door behind him, his eyes settling on Kevin.

Kevin looks up smiling: “Hey I’m doctor Richardson but you can call me Kevin I don’t mind, less formal that way. Why don’t you have a seat?” He indicates to a lavish mahogany carved cushioned chair in front of the desk.

Brian quietly makes his way to the chair sliding into it as he feels the pressure of the doctor’s gaze on him.

“Brian right?” The doctor looks down at the small manila folder, flipping it open. “What seems to be the problem?” He quickly scans over the few notes within the folder to get a better understanding of the patient before him.

Gulping, Brian slouches back into the chair, his eyes dropping to the open folder on the desk: “I never came to one of these doctors before…not sure how to start this off.”

“Oh.” Kevin sits up giving him his full attention now: “I’m a therapist, I don’t judge. If anything I’m one that is a good ear to listen to problems. Now I can’t guarantee to solve all the problems but I can get close to it and steer you in the right direction needed. Everything here is confidential, not a word is exposed or a file seen by others unless its under your own personal request.”

“Good.” Brian breaths out seeing a form handed to him.

“This is to ensure you that my lips are seal. I already signed it and you can keep that copy as a receipt in case you feel I didn’t keep to my word on your privacy. And you can start whenever you’re ready.” Kevin claps his hands on the desk top: his warm gaze wash over Brian who nods, quickly tucking the copied form in his pocket.

“Ok…so…see I know a friend of mines…he did something wrong. Possibly against the law but he’s afraid of being caught…”

Kevin interrupts him, smiling: “If its you its ok. Remember I’m not here to judge, I’m gonna try to help you the best I can.”

“Right…yeah…I did something…bad…I think. Not sure how to explain this. See it’s a secret, rather a set up of something and, and as much as I think about it, it always come back to haunt me.” Brian rambles out, shaking his left leg the entire time. He didn’t know why he went here. If the other guys found out what he’s doing they would kill him. But he couldn’t deal with all this pressure and the fact that he got a scare when the police came to get him sent him running for some refuge. He didn’t know how the others are dealing with it but this is his way and if it meant running to a doctor for help so be it.

“Why do you think it haunts you?” Kevin whispers out, sitting straight up eyeing the man.

“Because what I did was wrong…I knew it was a bad idea but I went through with it because I thought I could help someone around me.”

“And did it help?” Kevin quietly asks, his emerald eyes watching the slightly quivering man before him.

“No. At least from what I can tell. It just looks worse and I feel bad for doing that to this lady. She didn’t ask for it, I mean its not like we killed anyone but when I look at her all I think of is how guilty I feel.” Brian breaths out, his eyes glued to the doctor behind the desk, wondering if the doctor would call the police after this.

“Maybe it was bad for you and not the others. Have you talked to the woman before hand?”

“Yeah…she’s a nice lady. Has a kid and everything. I just wonder if someone came out and told her what really happened, how would she feel?” Brian murmurs out, clasping his hands tightly together on his knees as he leans over sighing.

Kevin tilts his head trying to understand what the patient was saying to him: “If you think its bad maybe you should tell the lady what you did. Lying is never a solution to problems. It’s just digging a hole into a ground. And once you start a small lie, it spreads like a virus taking over the person. I don’t know if that’s how you feel but holding important things back especially if it hurt her is a tough problem. On one hand you see the benefit of her knowing what is going on. But then the other one isn’t so well, that once she sees all the answer laid out before her, she might not take it so well. You don’t want to hurt her I can see that but you have a choice that needs take action. Whether it’s telling her or walking away from it.”

Brian licks his lips, surprised with the positive answer as he sits up: “Err…yeah…so that’s my problem…”

“Ok…that’s all then? There isn’t anything else?” Kevin slowly stands up, leaning back against the front of the desk to look at Brian.

“No…no I think that covered it all for now…so that’s my problem. I don’t know her reaction.”

“Sometimes we do things and takes risks. But you’ll never know until you try right?” Kevin raises his eyebrows at the man hoping that was the issue as he was already pressed for time with another appointment ready to arrive.

Brian gulps standing up: “No…no you don’t understand…this is more than just her…what I did…what I did I can never forgive myself for.”

Kevin frowns at Brian, his gaze on the slightly shaking man: “Did…you hurt someone?” Kevin barely whispers out, suddenly feeling cold at the mere thought of it.

“No…it was a plan…but it wasn’t mine. I didn’t think of it, only went along with it with my friends. And I know I’m not the only one feeling this way…but…” Brian stops mid-sentence, jumping out of his seat rushing to the door. “Forget it…forget I said anything…” Gulping around nervously, he yanks open the office door exiting the room in a hurry as if something was coming for him.

Frowning, Kevin stands around the room unsure what to think of the incident and shakes his head: “What was that about?” He murmurs to himself, putting the folder inside his desk, locking the small cabinet with a key as he takes a seat ready for his next patient.
~*~

He looks through the notes sitting in the passenger seat nervously hearing A.J. mumble out something about ‘Stupid pricks added pickles on my burger when I said none’

Damien shifts his eyes from the paper as A.J. grins at his direction: “What?”

“You need to unwind. Honestly it’s not that big of a deal and you already rehearsed the story with us D. So can you stop already before I send you to get me a right burger.”

“I’m not your slave, you can do it yourself.” Damien yawns, sitting back in the seat smirking.

“Cracker what have I ever done to you huh? I ask for a little favor and I feel you don’t appreciate me enough.” A.J. teases, saying it like the Godfather movie using gestures and all.

“Makenzie appreciates you enough.” Damien tosses the crinkled paper in the backseat.

“She sure does. That’s a woman. See if you had let me pick a woman out instead of Nick you have gotten one with brains too.” A.J. starts up his vehicle as Damien smiles.

“She’s smart. I think you need to cut her some slack. She’s highly articulate and can lecture on about the world politics and did you know she graduated at top honors from her university?”

A.J. crinkles his nose, eyeing his friend: “Damn she pussy whipped you good. You normally agree with me on this. What happened today huh?” He smiles pulling out of the parking lot.

Damien smiles: “Not sure…but she’s my girlfriend so as much as you pick on her being a ditz I love her crazy ass for it.”

“Yeah I bet you do. She has a nice one too doesn’t she?” A.J. cackles as Damien snickers.

“Makes you wanna spank that.” Damien yawns as A.J. takes the highway to reach the police station.

A.J. grins: “Dude I’m messing with ya. I love her insanity it makes her…special.”

“Haha! Shut up.” Damien pushes the button to lower the passenger window down.

“D look behind me and see if white boy threw up on my seats.” A.J. drives down the highway picking up speed.

Damien smirks, rolling his eyes seeing Nick hunched in the corner alone staring out the window. “Nope the seats are all clean.”

“If you wanted me to vomit, the pleasure will be all mine.” Nick grins, breaking his silence as he pokes his head in the space between the front two seats.

“Yeah just make sure you do it D’s way. I don’t want none of your leftovers splattered across my leather seats.” A.J. grins cutting a car off, snickering.

Damien shoves Nick playfully away from him as Nick pretends to gag.

“Ohh ohhh dare I say it? I feel so ill. I guess I’ll throw up. I had the good stuff for breakfast too. Some hash browns, sausages, pancakes, the works man all gonna be on your shirt and lap in a few.” Nick snickers out from the backseat tossing a paper ball at Damien’s head.

“Whoa watch it.” A.J. focuses on driving: frowning as the other two laugh and hoot throwing items around.

“What the hell is wrong with you two? Act your age dammit.” A.J. frowns gripping the steering wheel as a semi-truck roars past him.

“Dude you got anger problems. Should have listened to me when I told you take those road rage classes didn’t I?” Nick flips A.J. off lounging back in the seat behind him.

“No, if I was angry you would know it.” A.J. turns as Damien starts yelling to back the car away from the street.

“What the fu…” A.J. blinks as a car speeding down the across from them passes the red light, comes close to crashing into them.

Nick gasps as A.J. tries to back up but wasn’t fast enough as the other vehicle slams on the right passenger side of the car. “OH SHIT!!” Nick scrambles out of the car as smoke engulfs them all.

A.J. coughs, stepping out of the driver’s side ready to attack the person that rammed into them.

“Oh Fuck. Damien you ok man?” Nick peers inside the car as Damien crawls out from the passenger seat nodding his head.

“Yeah shit…I think… I think I broke something though.” The dark hair man whispers out, clutching his ribs.

A.J. growls out: looking over at the driver of the Mazda. “Don’t worry I’m gonna get that fucker now.” He storms over to the other car, wiping away smoke as he yanks open the driver’s door pulling out a woman.

Blinking, he looks at her stunned and shakes his head: “Baby? What are you doing?”

Makenzie cries out worried, shaking her head: “I don’t know what happened?! My brakes were tampered with! I couldn’t stop! Oh God is everyone ok?”

A.J. exhales holding the woman close to him: “Yeah we’re ok. Shh its ok. D got a good banging on the side but he’ll live. As for my car…well its time to get a new one then.”

“Oh Alex I didn’t mean this! You know me. I’m always careful behind the wheel. I don’t know how this happened.” She sniffs, blinking back tears, her snowy cheeks donned a bit rosy from the shock they all just endured.

Nick looks over frowning, seeing Makenzie. “Brake problems?”

Makenzie coughs a bit, waving off the smoke as she nods: “The car was just fine yesterday, but this morning I don’t know what happened.”

Damien bends down, leaning against the side of A.J.’s car wincing: “Oh I’m peachy fine in case anyone was interested.”

“Sorry…Oh God I’m so sorry.” Makenzie whispers out sorrowfully. “I don’t know what else to say.”

“He’ll be fine. No one is critically hurt.” Nick eyes her gazing over at A.J.

“She said her brakes her tampered with…you think you know who it could be?” A.J. looks over at him.

“I think I have a pretty good idea who it could be. I’ll take care of it man.” Nick grabs Damien, walking him away from the smoke and crash.

A.J. nods, sighing as he cups Makenzie’s face smiling sadly at her: “I can fix the brakes up and have them brand new. We’ll send out a report and find out who did this. Cause no one messes with my baby and our lives and get away with it.”

Makenzie wraps her arms around her self for comfort as she nods: “Just don’t kill anyone. I don’t want that.”

“I know. I’m not that crazy. Have some faith in me.” A.J. wraps an arm around her, leading her back to her car to make a quick call to the police station.
~*~

Howie clicks out of the program, shutting off the computer as an officer passes by him handing him a memo. Taking the small note off the passing officer’s hand, he reads over it frowning as he races out of his office shoving the wrinkled note into his pocket. Beginning to get annoyed with these sudden notes and suspicious run bouts, he decides to take the call for a car accident down in Oakland and Seville boulevard hoping that he can get distracted for a moment from the case he was working on.

Exiting the station, he breathes in the cool late morning air reaching his vehicle, quickly sliding in and drives to the crowded freeway entrance where people and ambulances were milling around. Rushing out of his car, he dashes over to see two crashed cars as thick suffocating smoke engulfs the area.

He spots a familiar face and heads over to her looking over at the man holding her.

Makenzie gulps, looking at the officer and back at A.J. who raises his eyebrows and smiles. “Quite a morning huh?”

“Yeah…is everyone ok?” Howie asks, looking around. “No one seems hurt which is good.”

“We’re good…” A.J. asks, narrowing his eyes at the officer. He wasn’t planning on answering questions at the moment and he already had an idea who could be the one responsible for this incident. Deciding to stay quiet, Howie goes off to check out the vehicles asking the other officers around about the incident.

A.J. looks over to see Nick and Damien hiding out away from the smoke and people, wave him over so they can leave the place already before they get raided with tons of questions. Leading Makenzie away from the mess, he heads back to over to his friends trying to stay hidden away and clear from the nosy police.
~*~

She watches in fascination as the colorful swirling top spins sporadically on the kitchen floor. Giggling, Eliez catches it in her hands stopping the toy, hearing the soft humming of a Bon Jovi ballad play out of the radio on a shelf.

She turns to look over at her mother mixing a batter of cake mix smiling at her.

“You’re gonna like this cake pumpkin, its strawberry your favorite.” Jasmine states, taking the wooden spoon out of the bowl, tapping the spoon on the inside of the bowl to take out some of the cake mix.

“Mmmm…mommy.” Eliez smiles, sitting sprawled out as she spins the top again watching it brush against her legs.

Jasmine smiles: pouring the batter into a metal foil pan quickly placing it in the oven. She hurriedly glances up at the time and rushes over to the washing machine under the kitchen counter to place another pile of dirty clothes in it. Whistling, she pulls a dirty stained white blanket from a bin opening it up to see something written in what seemed like dirt. Frowning, she scrolls over the words gulping.

“Eli sweetie did you do this? Did you write this?!” Jasmine tries to keep herself under control as Eliez innocently looks up at her.

“Yes mommy. I have special game and play game there too.” Eliez beams proudly unaware of her mother’s negative reaction.

“You don’t write these things! Who told you to write that on this?! Was it your father? Is he trying to make you mean that you would listen to him?” Jasmine raises her voice, feeling a faint dizzy spell about to take over.

“Mommy it’s my game. I no mean to be mean. It’s a game mommy. Just a game. You play too. You always play.” Eliez whispers out, watching her mother clutch the blue Formica kitchen counter. She watches Jasmine stumble back to see her eyes roll to the back of her head as she passes out from all the pressure. Eliez blinks and walks over to her mother lying passed out on the floor.

Frowning, Eliez touches her mother’s cheek and screams out for her father, tears filling her eyes as she sits down on her knees touching her mother’s cheek.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
A Domino Effect by Jamelet
~Chapter Twenty-three- A Domino Effect

She watches her mother lying on the bed pouting as her little hands tug on Jasmine’s finger. “Mommy, you k? Mommy you wake up?” Eliez whispers out, her eyes shift over to her father entering their bedroom.

“Its ok Eli sweetie. Mommy just felt a little dizzy, she’ll be back on her feet before you know it.” Roger smiles at Eliez, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

“Daddy, mommy saw words on blanket.”

“Yeah I know…why did you write that?” Roger pulls the bundle of blanket that was spread on the kitchen floor when Jasmine fainted.

“Cause you say so.” Eliez smiles sadly, patting Jasmine’s cheeks as if to wake her mother up from the strange slumber.

“Honey writing Nick’s no sleep, he’s here now, isn’t something your mother wants to read ok. She’s not well, you know mommy is very sick and needs help. But you writing that for her to see it isn’t going to help her you know.” Roger exhales deeply, pulling the child onto his lap.

“You said put that daddy. Why mommy so sicky?” Eliez frowns, her hands grip her father’s hand tightly.

“I know I did, I helped you in that. And I don’t know…mommy was sick for a very long time. She wanted you to have a big brother and she made him up for you.” Roger slowly tries to explain to his little girl who tilts her head eyeing her mother curiously.

“Let’s go, I need to wash the blanket before she wakes back up.” Roger stands up, placing Eliez back on her feet, exiting the room quietly. Eliez stays behind, looking at her mother wearily. Slowly struggling to climb up the bed, she crawls over to her mother, taking her hand in little one.

“Mommy you know secret soon. Shhh…almost ready mommy. Almost.” Eliez gently whispers out to her slumbering mother.
~*~

Nick drags his friend behind rows of thick growing trees, pushing him against a bark, his eyes scanning the police scenery before them. “I’m gonna get Roger for this.”

Damien pushes Nick away from him, clutching his side: “Its not Roger’s work. You know he doesn’t do anything himself. Reason why we in this mess in the first place.”

“Yeah no kidding. Whatever it is, it was going after us. And its getting the others involved too.” Nick frowns, cracking his knuckles. “Alright, this is what we’re gonna do…you go talk to him and see what you can get. I’ll go after Roger at a later time and see if our stories match. If he’s screwing us over I’ll get him.”

“I’m not gonna talk to him.” Damien frowns, leaning back against the bark of a tree, watching the bright yellow police tape being stuck around the two crashed vehicles.

“Why not? You the one that got hurt, don’t you think you wanna tell him to fuck off for what he did?”

“What if its not him, then what?” Damien leans against the tree as A.J. and Makenzie were getting questioned by the police.

“Well who the hell is it? He’s the only one that has a thing against us since I came back to town. And you know as well as I do that Oakland ain’t got nobody with balls to rat us out besides him.” Nick grumbles picking up a stick waving it around in front of him.

“This doesn’t look like his work. He hired someone then. Cause he couldn’t pull this off himself.” Damien whispers out as the red siren swirls in the dreary atmosphere.

“How do you know what his work is? You were the one almost killed in this and you think its all fine and dandy. What the hell is wrong with you? You think its ok what he’s doing?” Nick snarls, narrows his light eyes at him.

“No! Of course not! I’m just saying this doesn’t look like his stuff. He’s a gun person, prefers to kill them right on the spot then cause all these stuff…unless…”

Nick raises his eyebrows, slamming his friend against the tree: “You little bitch, you in this too aren’t you? It’s a set up to get us? Did you already go to the cops and told them about us?” He pins Damien against the tree glowering at him.

Damien snorts: “Get the fuck off me. Why would I do that to any of you guys? We’re in this together: if I said anything I wouldn’t be here now would I? I’d be locked up ass wipe. Bitch, touch me like that again and see what happens to you.” He flips him off, dusting himself off, glaring at the fair headed man.

Nick snorts: “Shut up, you all talk. I’m gonna visit Roger, I think he has a little story he needs to clarify.”

“I’ll go too then.”

“NO! Thought you said you weren’t going. You stay here and be the little bitch you are to the cops while I get it set right. You messed things up already.” Nick growls out: pushing Damien away as he steps out of the trees eyeing the field of cops swarming the streets.

“Fuck up.” Damien whispers out, peeved watching the new detective Howie getting answers to a rather insane tale of the car accident.
~*~

Roger hoses down his car in the front of the house, spraying Eliez who was laughing besides him scrubbing her shoes clean when she stepped in mud earlier today. Humming quietly to himself, he watches Eliez run inside with her wet shoes to dry it off leaving him alone in the driveway. Roger turns off the hose as he hears wet footsteps approaching him. Looking over, he sees the tall blonde man frowning down on him.

“Hey Nick what’s with the visit?”

“What was that, that you pulled off? I didn’t think you would bring other people in.” Nick growls out.

“What are you talking about?”

“You know exactly what I’m talking about. I’m sure you saw the news today. There was a nice car accident I’m taking you like.” Nick rasps out, closing his lips tightly, holding back from attacking the older man.

“I didn’t see the news yet I was attending to my wife, she found a little message I wrote a while back on a blanket.”

“I don’t care about your wife right now. I’m discussing the car accident which I know you set up.” Nick clutches his fist to the side of him, tapping his foot.

“Ok I really have no idea what you’re talking about. What car accident? You were involved in one? What, do you need money or something that you came here?”

Nick seethes out: “Why did you do it? Why did you rig someone’s brakes?”

Roger blinks, lost at what he’s saying. “I didn’t rig anyone’s brakes. Who’s brakes had a problem?”

“You know…A.J’s girl. How about we talk inside? I have a few questions that need to be answered.” Nick roughly grabs Roger’s shoulder, guiding him to the front door as he keeps his hand there.

“Alright boy, that’s enough. You better tell me what’s going on here.” Roger frowns, stepping into the living room with the young man.

Nick slams the front door, pushing Roger on the couch as he stands crossing his arms across his chest: “What’s your story? I’m sure it’s a good one.”

Roger looking lost and confuse, shakes his head as he defends himself: “What car accident? Why would I go mess with someone’s brakes? I don’t have time to leave my house with my family here.”

“Someone screwed us over…funny…you seem to be the only one here against us so why wouldn’t I expect it to be you.”

“Because I have a alibi. I was here all night. If someone went to mess with anyone’s brakes, it would have to be someone that has the time and directions! Since I never met Alex’s girlfriend.” Roger frowns.

Nick blinks: “You were here the whole night?” Snorting, he shakes his head: “Yeah right. I bet you were. We know you did it so stop denying it.”

“I didn’t do it, I have proof. Look, I have surveillance cameras installed throughout the house for security, I can show you the tape from the last night to let you know I was here the whole time.” Roger goes to a shelf near the hallway taking out a few tapes as he comes back, handing it to Nick.

“Look I can show you.” He takes a video tape: putting it into the VCR. Nick watches the camera taking in hour by hour as Roger seemed busily working on something, talking on a phone, later watching tv and finally taking a nap. Nick keeps his eyes glued on the little time at the bottom clearly showing that indeed Roger was there the whole night.

Taking the tape out, Roger eyes Nick: “Didn’t I tell you I was here the whole time?”

Nick snorts still not believing it. Roger was the only out there able to pull it off with outside help surely Roger is the one responsible. So are they all being watched then that someone got a hold of Makenzie’s car at her place? Couldn’t be, unless Roger knew of a locksmith and the only locksmith he knew, in fact they all knew was Brian.
~*~

Bethany tosses the empty cookie bag aside on the couch as she opens the front door surprised to find Orlando standing before her. “Umm…hey.”

“Oh sorry, I hope I’m not bothering you.” Orlando smiles, watching her stand aside so he can enter.

“Oh no no, don’t worry its only eleven I don’t fall asleep till after I see Buffy.” She smirks.

Orlando confused at what she just said, simply just nods as he takes a seat on the sofa.

“It’s a action show America plays. Its really good if you into the whole supernatural and demons and stuff.” Bethany smirks, taking a seat besides him. “It’s a little late for you to be making doctor visits.”

“I won’t stay long then I know its really late and you look like you were going to watch a show or something. Plus I don’t think your sister would approve of me coming over at this time. I mean its not like we’re dating for me to come see you like this.” Orlando innocently states, watching her face soften.

“Aw heh…well we can pretend we’re dating and my sis will lay off my back. Besides I’m old enough, twenty-three to be exact. I don’t need her breathing down my neck cause a guy comes over.” Bethany tucks her legs beneath her, sitting besides the attractive English man. “So you gonna tell me why you here?”

“Right that…err…umm…just wanted to see if you were safe and stuff that’s all.”

“Yeah well I’m in my house I’m pretty safe unless my sister goes all psycho and comes after me with the butcher knife.” She smirks, watching Orlando blink at the reference. “Hey relax I’m joking. You ok? Want something to eat or drink? Want me?” Bethany grins not at all shy to this man.

Orlando snickers, clearing his throat. His dark eyes look around the living room feeling a slight blush cross his cheeks. “I don’t mind a little of both.”

“Heh I bet you don’t.” Bethany gracefully gets up, exiting the room to the kitchen to get something to drink for them both. As she was setting the glass cups on the kitchen counter, a rather odd scent of gas was lingering around. Frowning, she realizes the stove was leaking gas. She rushes out of the kitchen, running up the stairs to the hallway to reach her sister’s room. The smell of gas was getting too strong and she couldn’t figure out what to do to stop it.

“Janelly! Nelly open up! Gas is leaking!” She pounds on the door waking her sister up who seemed groggy and frowns.

“There’s a leak in the stove.” Bethany rushes out as Orlando hearing her yell, jumps up and quickly heads over to them.

Janelly blinks at seeing the man there and looks over to Bethany. “Was it a lot of gas?”

Orlando frowns, smelling the gas reach them from upstairs: “I have a quick question…why are we still in here if the gas is leaking this much? This place is about to blow, we need to get out of here!”
Janelly gasps, stumbling down the stairs to the front door as her sister and the young man make a break for the exit. The moment they all stepped off the porch, the house lit up like a match as it began to explode, bottom first, before the rest of the place comes crashing down with it.

Janelly lands on her stomach, shivering, covering her head as Bethany falls on her back, watching the raging fire eat away at everything she ever own. Clutching her fists tightly to her side, she hears the fire siren in the distance as the engines race towards their place. But it was too late: the house was burned along with all their possessions.

Orlando gasps, watching the scenery as he looks over to Bethany now standing. Her eyes drip in rage and anguish as she stares at the burning house unable to think clearly, the thick gray smoke washing over them like a suffocating blanket.

Orlando gently pulls the two women away from the raging smoke and fire as firefighters arrive on scene to take out the fire.

“Bethany…I can help you guys find a place and everything if you really want the help.” Orlando whispers out, keeping his eyes trained on Janelly who breaks into a sob tugging close her silk pink bathrobe.

“Who did this? Did something do that? The stove is brand new. It doesn’t have a problem so why was it leaking?” She murmurs out, shivering in her short red pajama shorts and matching thin red tank top.

“We’ll find out Bethany. We’ll see who did this to you.” Orlando frowns, staring at the burning house in dismay.

Bethany glares at the fire, the sparks bouncing around as the fire roars up at the touch of water hitting it. “Oh we’ll find the person I’m not worried. I’ll make sure of it.” She hisses out, her dark eyes taking in the burning house.
~*~

Howie stares at the television, the news of the burning house was being shown as he looks up from his notes. Shaking his head at the ruined house, he goes back to taking down notes. The car accident was caused by a malfunction of the brakes. But his question was if the driver didn’t know what was wrong with her own car and said it was working just fine last night. Then was she set up? Her boyfriend said he was driving alone when the accident went down. But some eyewitnesses claim there were two men with him. But when he reached the crime scene, only A.J. and his girlfriend were the only ones there. Could it be that the two men that were with him are his friends? Could they help out in the case?

Sighing, he turns off the tv, getting up from the sofa to the kitchen. Grabbing a full garbage bag and tying it up, he walks out of his apartment going down the first flight of stairs. The incinerators were taken out of the building recently due to the complaints and rodents it would bring to people’s apartment. So now everyone was to bring their garbage out in the front of the building in bags to get picked up. Whistling to himself, he uses both hands to hold the large garbage bag as he goes down the stairs. He reaches the first flight down when the hallway lights begins to flick on and off.

“Oh great…this is nice.” Howie frowns as the hallway lights flicker before going out completely. Grumbling, Howie slowly makes his way blindly down the next stairwell as he fells a brush past him. He slowly places his foot on the next step below him as he feels a push from behind throwing him off balance. He feels himself falling down the stairs as he hits the side of the cement stairs with his head, each bringing upon more pain than the next. The last thing he heard was a faint gasp before he blacked out completely.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Trickling Effects by Jamelet
-A Mother’s Tale

-Chapter Twenty-four- Trickling Effects

The sun rays beams down on her bare arms as she folds the laundry, putting it on the makeshift table in her backyard. She just got the call that her boyfriend was potentially in danger during some car collision that occurred on the highway, taking him and his friend to the police station. Scratching the small itch above her upper lip, her bright sapphire eyes scan the backyard at the sound of a fallen branch cracking under the steps of someone. Frowning, she looks around to see she was the only one in the backyard and shaking her head goes back to finishing her laundry.

Again the sound of a branch breaking: sounds off again as she gulps scanning her eyes around. Makenzie had called her about the accident and after seeing what happened with Bethany and the house: Arianna was beginning to get worried. Is someone out there trying to scare them straight? She didn’t do anything wrong, she wasn’t the one that brought the dead corpse of the man for the ‘accident’ Roger had it all set up with Nick’s help and she offered to simply help out like the others did. But why is it that others are now getting involved. Could it be that they know something?

Arianna sighs, tying up her light blonde locks up in a small messy bun as she puts the folded clothes into a laundry bag tying it up. From the corner of her eyes, she sees a figure approaching her with a hoodie over his head. Snapping her head up in alarm, she sees the mysterious masked man running towards her as she gasps bolting from the yard into the house, locking the door behind her.

“Shit…ok…don’t freak out.” She whispers to herself, hurriedly making her up the stairs to the phone. She bolts down the wooden hallway making her go up the stairs two at time. Picking up the cradle off the wall she frowns to hear dead air at the other end. “The line is cut…” Arianna whispers out, trembling she runs into the bedroom searching for her mobile phone closing the door locked behind her. Snapping the small metal cell open, she dials 911 as she can hear a window crash open from the living room. Gasping, she whimpers as the operator comes on line saying the number she’s reaching is out of limit boundary and that it cannot be reached.

Grumbling, she flings the phone on the bed as she presses her ear to the closed bedroom door to hear whomever it was breaking into her house. Sitting down on the floor she crawls over to the cell, dialing her boyfriend’s number hoping he would pick up. “Come on baby…pick up.” She whispers out, quivering. She had no idea what was going on, but she assumed that who ever invaded her back yard was up to no good and hearing the strange reports of things suddenly happening to them in their circle of friends, she wasn’t taking any chance.

She gulps, shaking as she hears heavy footsteps in the hallway approaching her room. ‘Please…please…no.’ She closes her eyes a little as the door creaks open being unlocked. She fishes for an object to defend herself and clutches a sharp ball point pen in her right hand behind her.

She looks up at the man and exhales a sigh of relief: “Oh God its you…I was worried sick! Is he still here?”

Damien blinks, looking around: “What? You ok?” He goes over to her frowning, taking her in his arms: “Baby come here.”

“You didn’t see the guy?!”

Damien shakes his head: “He jetted the moment I stepped into the house.” He frowns, “I think we’re getting sent after…I don’t know what’s going on. But someone was trying to kill me and the guys on the road. Makenzie’s brakes were faltered with and Bethany and Orlando almost blow up at her place.”

“Why is Roger doing this?!” She cries out.

“Look I don’t know if is him, you said you saw a guy…did you get a good look at him?” He asks, his light eyes looking her over, holding her close.

“No…he had some hoodie over him covering his face and a mask but he didn’t look that tall. He was kinda average height and had a black sweatshirt. That’s all I got and he was light skin if it makes anything more clear.” She huddles into his arms, trying to calm down.

Damien sighs, sitting besides her: “I’ll call the cops, maybe they can start some investigation on this. We can just say recent events have been happening to each of us that could be endangering our lives. Did the guy have any weapons?”

“No. But he was packed with something I bet.” She shudders, looking up at him.

Damien leans back against the foot of the bed frowning, shaking his head: “I don’t know what’s going on either.”

“We need protection…”

He looks over her: “What kind?”

She gulps, slowly getting up as she opens the bottom dresser, pulling out a silver 9mm.

Damien blinks: “Are you crazy?! Do you even know how to use that?!”

“Relax. I have a license for it. I think its important we have some kind of protection don’t you think? Our phone line is cut off. Who ever broke in here, knew what he was doing. I’m not taking my chances out there.” Arianna cocks the pistol, putting it away in the dresser.

He gazes over at her: “I think you need to calm down, I’ll figure this out.”

“No! I’m tired of waiting around while you try to fix things. You can’t fix this! Whatever is going on is coming after all of us. So don’t tell me to calm down!” She hisses out, grumbling as she walks around her room, pacing nervously.

Damien clicks the roof of his mouth as he hears a loud crash coming from downstairs, he looks over at Arianna as she reaches for the gun heading to the door.

“You’re not shooting anyone, so put that away.” Damien hisses out, opening the door stepping out.

“You’re crazy. That guy came back and maybe isn’t alone and is armed.” Arianna hisses out, pushing aside her slick blonde strands across her face as she pushes past him.

Damien grabs her arm throwing her back in the room: “Stay here, you could get yourself killed doing this.”

Arianna growls: clutching the pistol in her hands. “Fine, go ahead and be stupid. Go down and see if I care.” She sniffs, nervously tugging at her tied up hair.

Damien nods and closes the door behind him as he heads downstairs quietly, grabbing a metal bat with him. He peers around the tarnished living room frowning as he sees the large front window broken into. Walking towards it, he sees a tattered note clinging to the broken shards of the window and pulls it out reading it. ‘The little son of a…” He holds the note in his hand, shaking his head as he reads over the small scrawled writing:

‘You got in the way…next time she’s all mine.’

Damien snorts, walking back to Arianna, tucking the note in his wallet as anxieties begin rising around him.
~*~

“I...I did it…” The quivering voice on the other line whispers out to him.

Roger nods, settling back in the parlor chair his eyes fixated on the small painting of France nailed to the wall besides him. “Good boy. You’re doing a good job on this. I didn’t think you have the balls to pull this off but I have to say, this is quite the accomplishment.”

“Yeah well…a lot of people underestimate me.” The soft husky voice on the other end of the line states.

“And that’s all changing now. I’ll take the guy out myself don’t you worry. I think we scared the hell out of the others though.”

“Yeah…so I’m done then right?” The soft tenor voice asks.

“For now…I’m sending you the payment now as we speak.” Roger seals a cardboard folder like envelope, jotting down the address. “I still have some stuff to do so I might need you for one more minor project. After all you’re close to them so it shouldn’t be a problem getting them all together.”

“I can do that.”

“Good boy, don’t worry about it for now. I’ll call you when I finalize the plan. Talk with you later.” Roger hangs up before the man on the other line had a chance to say farewell as he smiles, grabbing the yellow sealed envelope tucking it under his arm, exiting the room.
~*~

Howie groans, his eyelids flutter open surprised by the harsh lights gleaming down on him. He grunts, touching his bandaged head as he attempts to sit up, looking around the small hospital room he was placed in. He blinks over at the dark haired older man staring at him concerned, sitting besides him.

“Oh you’re awake. How you feeling?” The man asks gently, a soft touch of country accent mixed in with his sentence.

“Horrible. Its like having a hang over with no meds.” Howie grunts out, lying back on the bed. “Who are you?”

“Oh right I’m Kevin, I live in the building complex with you and I found you lying on the floor passed out. You were out for a while when you were brought in.”

Howie blinks, slowly nodding: “Oh ok…how long?”

“A good part of the night, its already late afternoon the next day.” Kevin sits up, eyeing the man.

“Ooohh…” Howie eyes the man curiously. “Normally for visiting hours its limited to family and close friends, did you say you know me for you to be here?”

“Ohh no no. I’m a witness, I was worried about you so I got a chance to stick around and I asked if it was alright to see if you were ok. I hope you don’t mind. I’m doctor Richardson. I work in the clinical psychology office off main street.” Kevin eyes him innocently, sitting back in the uncomfortable wooden chair.


“Right…so any suspects? I mean…did you see anyone when you came for me? Cause I was pushed down the stairs when the lights went out.”

Kevin shakes his head: “Sorry, the lights were still out when I found you and there was no one from what I heard around when I reached you.”

“Oohh…” Howie frowns, sighing as he sits back wondering what could have went down and he couldn’t wait to find the bastard that pushed him down almost to his death down the stairwell.
~*~

Brian taps his foot on the linoleum floor as Nick reaches him: “So everyone is ok right?”

“Yeah…the accident is fine. No one is critically hurt.” Nick yawns out tiredly, “I tell ya this is looking more and more like some kind of shit from the movies.”

Brian rubs the back his neck, slumping into a seat: “Everyone was already attacked…I know I’m next…this is Roger’s doing. I know it is.”

“No kidding, it has his name written all over it. You know the bitch Damien was taking his side after he himself was almost killed in the car accident.” Nick smirks, leaning against the white walls of the police station.

“So…everything is ok…right?”

Nick exhales, shaking his head: “Until Roger is behind bars, we’re not ok.”

“I just don’t get it, why would he do this to us when we all offered to help him out before hand?”

“Cause he’s an ass. He thinks we’ll crack and turn him into the 5-0. Which if I had a fuckin’ conscious I would have told. But at this point, I don’t even care anymore.” Nick pulls out an unlit cigarette, placing it between his purse lips.

Brian frowns: “I didn’t have anything to do with what’s going on just to let you know.”

Nick looks over at him smirking: “Yeah I know B. You’re too much a nice guy. It’s all good here. How’s wifey?”

“Pretty shook up from these recent news but doing good.”

“Ahh good good. Sorry about all this mess. I thought it was be a quick operation and we’d go back to our normal lives. Instead Roger is screwing with us now.” Nick grumbles out, taking a seat besides his friend.

“Well life in Oakland was boring before he came in. Though I didn’t think he would bring all this with him. If I knew then what I know now, I would have said no to the whole thing and walked away.” Brian exhales, leaning back on the chair: his arms sprawled out on the arm rests.

“Yeah…I think we would have all said that man.” Nick leans back lighting up his cigarette, taking a puff of it.
~*~

Jasmine cuddles Eliez in her arms singing to her softly in the living room as Eliez watches the misshapen cartoons running across the screen.

Eliez slides off her mother’s lap taking a black crayon in her hands scribbling across a blank page in her coloring book bored.

Jasmine exhales, getting up from the couch as she exits the house to check the mailbox stationed in front of her house. Walking slowly down the cement pathway to the mailbox she smiles as the late afternoon sunrays beam down on her. Humming quietly, Jasmine opens the mailbox, taking out some letters and a small package for Roger. Carrying the items in her hands, she makes her way back to the house as the small box falls out of her hands sliding across the floor. Placing the letters down on at an end table in the living room, she goes to pick up the small box that now seemed ripped on the side. Looking around to see if her husband was around, she jiggles the box around to see what looked like packaged needles at the ripped side of the box.

“What is that?” She murmurs out, wondering why her husband called for hospital equipment at their house when its normally delivered to the clinics he would work in. Shrugging, she puts the box on the coffee table, picking up Eliez who was giggling happily kissing her mother on the cheek as she looks to the cartoons on the TV.

Settling down on a couch with her daughter, she smiles softly holding her child to her chest as she yawns wondering if she can find the blanket with the wretched words her little girl scrawled on. She wasn’t crazy that she knew. She knew something was going on, but until she can place a finger on it, she would have to deal with it for the time being.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
Caught Up by Jamelet
-A Mother’s Tale

~Chapter Twenty- Five- Caught Up

He shifts in the bed, the thin cool sheets getting tangled around his ankles as he sits up looking around the now vacant hospital room. Sighing out, he lies back reluctantly while his eyes fixated on the harsh white light beaming from above him. He already signed the released forms and was waiting for his partner to come pick him up. Already Winterland was an hour late and it was annoying Howie.

Grumbling and already fully dressed, he looks around the corners of the room seeing his crutches. He hated the fact that the fall down the stairs damaged his ankle. The cast around his neck was beginning to irate him and he couldn’t believe he almost broke it falling down those steep stairs. He knew someone was getting sued for this damage but until he can find the proper finger to point to, he’ll stay quiet.

The young doctor that appeared in his room shortly beforehand offered to help him out in any way, whether it was to help him back home or simply walk him out of the hospital. Howie declined since he already had someone coming for him but was thankful someone wanted to do a courtesy for his favor. Grunting, Howie noticed he was alone for the time being and the crutches seemed so far away for him to walk over to. Frowning, he slides off the bed wincing as his bare feet touched the cold white sterile polished floor. There was no way he could make it the other side of the room without some form of help so he sat and waited. Checking his wrist watch, it seemed that time itself was almost making a mockery of him, slowly ticking away and almost stalling to move to the next minute. Exhaling, he grips the chill cold iron metal railing off the side of the bed placing his balance on the good ankle.

He hobbles across the room quickly reaching the crutches and makes his way back slowly to the bed to get a clean pair of socks on.

“Hey whoo! What are you doing walking around like that?” An older heavy voice calls out.

Howie snorts, his eyes directed over to the older officer leaning on the doorframe. “Getting out of here. You came just in time cause I’m tired of being here.”

“Well good thing then let’s go. You have everything you need right now? Want me to get a wheelchair?” Winterland goes over the man, reaching out a hand to him.

Howie shrugs him off and frowns: “I’m fine…I got it. Let’s go.”

“Yeah…I’m sorry that happened to you. It had to be some stupid ass kid messing around with the lights.”

“You don’t think it has anything to with the case I’m working on?” Howie raises his eyebrows at the older officer.

Winterland smirks, shaking his head: “I doubt it. Stuff happens, life is a bitch.”

Howie wasn’t looking for that answer and grumbles sliding into one of his sneakers tying it up. He unrolled the leg where the cast was, letting it cover the top of the cast.

“You heading straight home so let’s go then.” Winterland gently grabs the young officer’s arm guiding him out of the room.

Howie cast a glare at the man as he hobbles on crutches down the hallway. The neck brace was a huge bother to him and he hated the fact that he couldn’t even look anywhere but straight forward. “So I was going through the case since I had time to think while in bed. Did you get a chance to talk to any of the kids during that car accident?”

Winterland wiggles his nose, rolling his eyes: “Not really…they weren’t too corporative on the case…I solved the other case though.” Winterland grins.

“The other case?” Howie blinks “You found out who killed Nick?”

Winterland nods, grinning from ear to ear. “Seems it was more than one person in on it. Those kids, the guys…they were involved with his death. They tried to frame it as a suicide…but they were the ones responsible for his death.” Winterland grins, feeling triumphant. Now there was no way he could be get in trouble, the others are taking the blame now and he was out of the clear.

“The guys I questioned earlier…they were all in on it?” Howie asks surprised trying to put the pieces together. “But how do you know? I mean they’re his friends, why would they turn against him?”

“I have all the proof at the office. Seems the day of the incident they were all caught on a surveillance camera. You’ll never believe what I got.”

Howie’s mouth drop, “So there was surveillance there! Why wasn’t I informed of this? I saw one of them in the background during the news of that story but I was trying to figure it out. But if you have them committing the crime that is all the proof we’ll need.”

Winterland nods: “Yeah…I already issued a warrant out for the arrest of the men. It was pretty interesting to say the least.”

“That’s sick. What kind of friends did that poor guy have that they would do this to him?”

Winterland shrugs, guiding the helpless man out of the clinic into the parking lot. He couldn’t believe how easy it was to manipulate the system. And with his clean record, Winterland was looking safe in the only grand crime this community was dealing with.
~*~

Yawning, he reaches for the puffed up warm popcorn carrying it to the living room where Arianna was stretched out on the sofa. Stepping over Makenzie who was resting her head on A.J. Damien settles on the rug, plopping down near Orlando’s leg.

Orlando looks over at Bethany who was engrossed in a timely conversation with Arianna about who has the best abs in music. Everything seemed calm after the trail of questions about the cases they were dealing with at the police station and now they craved the rest and relaxation at Arianna’s place.

Ready to see a movie that was rented out, A.J. slides the dvd in quickly settling back on the sofa feeling Makenzie’s soft hair brush up against his arm. Wrapping an arm around her: he kisses her temple and rest his head onto hers, watching the movie screen show up.

Orlando snickers at Bethany’s reaction to the movie, her small lithe body curls up besides him. Recently he was getting close to her and he wasn’t sure what they were at the moment. They weren’t dating…well he wouldn’t mind the idea at all but he never openly confessed his feelings to her. It was more a flirt fest between the two that didn’t seem to have an end. Though he was sure Bethany had interest in him since here she was curling up besides him as if he known her forever. He didn’t mind her so close to him and the way she smelled was enough to drive him up the wall in desire. He feels her soft hands trail down his side wrapping around his waist as she rest her head on his chest sighing contently. He couldn’t help to wonder how happy the little things in life are making him feel. He needed a sense of security and Bethany seemed to be providing that for him.

Arianna snickers and sits on the sofa curling her legs up as she leans close to Damien sitting on the floor in front of her. Whispering in his ear, he smirks and shakes his head.

“I can’t do that right now.” He remarks, faintly blushing looking at the plasma screen tv.

“Please. For me.” She coos out, brushing a hand down the back of his neck.

Damien laughs and nods: “Later not now.”

“Fine…your loss baby.” Arianna grins stretching out on the sofa.

“Shhhh…shut your pee hole up guys, I’m gonna start the movie. And if any of you talk…heh we’re going to have a nice conversation in the kitchen.” A.J. flips off the light switch scrolling over to the others.

“Heh…sounds kinky, I want in.” Damien smirks, getting a kernel thrown at his head.

“Shhh...come on guys. We’re adults, let’s act like it.” Makenzie smiles: feeling A.J’s warmth as he wraps her up placing her on his lap. “And you behave.”

“I’m behaving and yeah D I bet you would like that. How do you like it?” A.J. grins, picking on his friend.

“On all fours.” Damien response, tossing a popcorn in his mouth.

Bethany snickers, watching as the tv screen is lit up ready to start the movie.

“Any last words kids?” Orlando whispers out.

“Yes. I have to take a leak, hold your balls I’ll be back.” Damien smirks, scrambling to get up and run to the bathroom.

Orlando smiles, cuddling Bethany absent-mildly not minding the stares he was receiving from the others. “Yes, can I help you all? What’s with the looks?”

A.J. smirks: “Nothin’…you look mightly cozy with her in your arms that’s all.”

Arianna smiles brushing back a lock of golden strand behind her ear: “Stop picking on them. You have your own girl.”

“Yeah I have two, Damien is my bitch.” A.J. grins, hearing the others snicker. Makenzie giggles, shaking her head as Damien strolls back in the room.

“And there he is now. How did you like that?” A.J. inferred the question to the man.

“What? Like what?” Damien slides on the sofa besides Arianna, draping her legs over his lap.

“When I do it to you.” A.J. snickers.

“No you rough. You don’t know how to take it easy. Orlando knows how to make a man feel good though right?” Damien snickers as the others shake their heads laughing softly.

“Ah…I make love not fuck unless it is needed. A.J. is the dominating one though I can’t help that.” Orlando yawns, smiling: feeling Bethany’s hand brush across his lips. Blinking, he looks over to her grinning. It was simple things like that, that made him believe it was time to dive into this relationship before its too late.

“My ass hurts.” Damien smirks, propping his legs on the coffee table.

“Yeah cause my shit is too big for you. Now you know what a real man has.” A.J. grins starting the movie: “Now everyone shut the hell up now.”

The others quiet down as the movie starts in the dark living room. Makenzie yawns, setting back against the cushions of the seat as a loud knocking banged on the door.

Arianna squeaks in surprise quickly gathering a blanket around her as she goes to answer the door. She peers through the side of the window sighing out in relief that it was Nick. Unlocking the two locks and chain, she smirks, stepping aside for him to enter.

Nick strolls into the house blowing a kiss at her as he makes his way over to the group. “Well evening people! The party is ready to start!”

“Dude shut up! Shhhhh.” A.J. cuts a glance at the fair headed man.

Nick grins, sliding into a chair: “Oooooh question, does anyone know why there are a few squad cars parked down this block?”

Damien raises his eyebrows: “5-0 is around here?”

“Wow…there goes the quiet neighborhood. Maybe Mrs. Carter went on a rampage.” Arianna tugs on her lace pink camisole.

“Or…they could be looking for this place.” Nick sits back in a cushioned seat.

A.J. snorts: “The cops better not pull up to the door. I ain’t do nothing wrong.”

Makenzie blinks and eyes him: “Why would they come here? You didn’t do anything…did you?”

Bethany tilts her head watching the tattooed man curiously as he snorts and shakes his head.

“No. I’m just saying in case they start thinking things.” A.J. starts to fidget, looking over at the other guys.

Nick smiles: “What he meant to say is the police likes to ruin a good time and we all seem to have a nice time. That’s all.” Giving her an encouraging smile, she breaks into a slight grin satisfied with the answer for now. Nick’s sapphire eyes drape over A.J as he grabs his arm: “Got a quick question…let’s talk in the kitchen.”

“Dude after the movie. Shhh.” A.J. frowns, sitting away from the man.

Nick fakes a wide smile, grabbing the man by the shoulder: “No we need to talk in the kitchen…its important…about the food…” He gives his friend a serious look, his fingers curl around A.J’s shoulder tightly.

“Fine…be right back.” A.J. excuses himself from the others, heading into the kitchen as Nick follows.

The others watch them disappear, Makenzie glances over at Bethany with a curious look wondering the same thing as her friend: Something is up.

Once inside the room, Nick checks the door and glances over at his friend: “What the hell are you trying to do? There’s two people in there that don’t have a clue and they can’t find out. You’re just fueling their curiosity more and I can’t have those two girls in this.”

“Relax, they don’t have a clue or even care.” A.J. leans on the counter eyeing the blonde man: “What’s up your ass lately? You’ve been down my throat since you came here.”

“Its not that.” Nick exhales refraining from expelling his anger out on the wrong person and intention. “We need to go back to the police. Something isn’t right. The cops are there looking for someone or someones…which hint hint, means it might be us.”

“Oh fuck me. Its Roger…”

“No…no…Roger wouldn’t be that stupid…at least not yet…Its one of us…one of us here had to said something to the cops.”

“Nick it can’t be, we’re all here and Brian is on his way here too.”

“Besides us and Roger…wasn’t there that other police officer involved in this mess?” Nick narrows his eyes.

“Uh yeah so? He wouldn’t tell…he’s just as heavily involved in this shit as we are.” A.J. drums his fingers on the blue Formica counter starting to consider other options.

“No…he’s one of them…if anything he has his position to hold up. If its his word against us, we would all be screwed.” Nick backs into a chair, tapping his finger on a table.

“He wouldn’t do that…he can’t.” A.J. frowns.

“From the looks of it I think he could have.” Nick exhales cracking his neck: “Dammit, where’s the nachos? How you gonna have movie night with no nachos?”

A.J. blinks, holding back a smile, surprised at how fast the man can change moods to something so trivial. “Heh…there’s a bag of nachos, you can heat up the cheese dip in the microwave.”

Nick nods and rushes to the food, gathering it in his hands as he fusses over the microwave.

A.J. watches the man snickering, exiting the room to join the others.
~*~

Jasmine watches her husband push the small swing with Eliez on it sending loud giggles from the small child. She settles on a lounge chair watching from the backyard balcony the two run around laughing. She felt so content at the moment despite the loss of her child. It hurts her so much still that at times she feels it was that night. That night when she got a call from the officer in the precinct telling her about the horrid incident that took her child away from her. Its been three weeks now and each day becomes more harder to deal with knowing Nick isn’t with her. That he won’t run into her arms and laugh or even pull a joke on his father for a good laugh. She didn’t know how she was able to make it through each day but Janelly often stopped by to check on her.

She felt strange that she was causing others to worry about herself. She didn’t want to bring other people into the mess and at times just wanted to curl up and die. But she has a family. Her husband needs her and her precious little girl needs a mother to be like and grow up for. Sniffing, she clears her throat looking at Roger playfully tossing Eliez in the air and catches her as she laughs hard yelling out “Again!”

Jasmine wanted to question him about the pack of needles he got but like she assumed he ordered them to be delivered here rather than at the hospital to save money on the hospital’s cost.

She settles in the chair as she hears the phone ring inside. Whisking inside to the hallway, she grabs the phone off the cradle hearing nothing but silence as she blurts out a hello. Frowning, she shrugs and hangs up hearing the open side door beat roughly against the threshold. She didn’t leave this door open, so why was it left unattended like this? It had to Eliez messing with the locks again. She didn’t like the door being unattended like that for some creep could sneak in and steal something.

Recently Jasmine has been getting antsy. She would jump at any sound and anything out of ordinary would make her jump or her heart race. Its not that she couldn’t stop being so jumpy, she was nervous. She didn’t really know why, but Kevin her psychologist informed her its only natural to be startled since the news. But she didn’t want to jump at any little sound. She needed to be strong. She didn’t want to take her son’s death in vain either so it was a constant battle of maintaining headstrong for Eliez when she was needed.

She closes the side door locking it and heads back to the yard only stopping to pick up a bag of toys that Eliez left thrown on the floor. Smiling, she gathers the little items, dropping them into the dark purple bag carrying it up to her daughter’s room. Opening the door to Eliez’s room, she drops the bag in the care bear toy box, stepping out when she sees a shadow figure running down the opposite side of the hallway turning a corner.

Jasmine gulps, her heart pounding against her chest as she looks for an item to throw in case the figure turns against her. Running down the shining planks, her soft footsteps pounded down the hallway turning to see the figure slip out of the other door located at the east side of the house. Panting, she yanks open the door, yelling out for Roger who immediately hears her cries.

Carrying Eliez in his arms, he runs over to his wife as a look of bewilderment crosses his features.

“You didn’t see a guy run out of here! Oh God…” She shivers taking in the warm air from the late spring season.

“Honey I’m gonna search around the house, you stay here with Eliez.” Roger pads off to the front of the house searching around, hiding a smile as he searches the porch, front pathway and garden for any sign of a person.

Jasmine clings Eliez to her leg, waiting anxiously as her husband retreats back to her with no news.

“Nothing? You didn’t see anyone?” She frowns.

“No. Whoever it was left. I’m gonna see if he managed to steal anything before he took off. But if anything, you might have scared him off.” Roger kisses his wife softly, going inside to check the hallways.

Exhaling deeply, Jasmine leans on the open threshold of the side door, scanning the area before going back inside slamming the door behind her as she locks it.
~*~

She giggles, pushing him off her, “Stop…baby I’m not in the mood.”

“Oh fuck me…you never in the mood anymore.” Damien rolls his eyes, getting off the bed.

“Sorry I’m just tired. It’s been a long week.” She yawns, settling down on the bed. After the movie, everyone was either too drunk or tired to go anywhere so the small gathering of friends became a co-ed slumber party. However since it was her place, Arianna was able to go to her bedroom away from the others.

Damien grumbles and goes to the bathroom closing the door behind him.

“Aww you upset? Its not a big deal.” Arianna smirks, yawning, lying on her back in a skimpy black lingerie. “Babe…don’t be mad with me.” She turns on her side, staring at the door giggling. “Say something.”

The door open as he leans on the threshold: “You know what you are…a big fucking tease.” He smirks.

“So? You have a problem with that?”

“Uh yeah yeah I do…why don’t you try telling that to my dick and see if its more sympathetic.”

Arianna laughs hard, holding her sides as her boyfriend frowns, stepping in the bathroom again closing the door behind him. Smiling, she lies on her back hearing the shower go off in the bathroom. Yawning she checks the time, it was already three in the morning and she still wasn’t asleep. She clasps her hands twice as the lights in the bedroom go off and smiles closing her eyes. A few minutes deep into her sleep, she feels a strange pulling from her hair and shifts a little as the pulling got stronger.

She sleepily murmurs out: “Stop baby…” The pulling of her hair became stronger and painful as she snaps open her eyes staring around the dark room. She thrashes around, her hands going immediately to her hair. She could feel two gloved hands yanking at her hair but she couldn’t find the culprit for the pull was so strong she wasn’t able to turn to her left or right to see who was doing this to her.

She cries out, wincing hearing the shower still on. Whoever it was, wasn’t her boyfriend then and she feels a cold metal blade touch her soft neck. The metal tip traces over the collarbone before being put away. She yanks at the gloved hands screaming in pain now as pieces of hair began ripping off her scalp. She could feel a small trickle of blood run down the base of her neck as she screams out trying desperately to fight off whoever was doing this to her. She hears the shower go off as her hair was released, the shadowed figure in dark clothes races out of the room as the bathroom door opens. She bolts up crying, holding her head as the warm trickle of blood touches her fingertips.

Damien gasps: running over to her nervously touching her hair. “What the hell happened?”

“You didn’t hear me scream?! Someone was trying to hurt me that’s what.” She winces out, curling up on the bed in pain.

Frowning, Damien looks around the room: “Where’s your gun?”

“What?!”

“You heard me, where is it?” He walks over to the dresser opening the top drawer.

“You don’t know how to use it. Just forget it.”

“Fuck, just tell me where it is, I’m not gonna shoot anyone with it. I just want answers. If the guys are pulling a stupid ass prank I need to know if it was one of them.”

“No…its not them…the person…I mean it doesn’t look like any of them.”

“Its dark in here, you can’t think you saw the person that did this to you. I’m gonna get some answers.” Damien yanks open the top dresser dumping the clothes out.

“Stop it! Just forget it. The guy probably left this place! It’s the same guy that came after me before. He left right when you turned off the shower.” Arianna struggles to stand up, her hair now a torn mess, disheveled as small bloody spots of where her golden tresses were now lied ripped. What was pulled out lied scattered on the carpet before her.

Damien glares at her and sighs, dropping his head: “Fine…I won’t go after him. But he’s gonna keep coming back if I don’t do something. I already reported the person to the cops and they said they’ll keep a look out. But that’s shit to me. We’re on our own baby.” He goes over to her pulling her in an embrace as she softly cries into his chest.
~**~

**~To Be Continued…~**
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=4650