Little Cabin In The Woods by Mare
Summary: The REAL story of how the boys really became close lol
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Action
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 41223 Read: 61257 Published: 07/29/03 Updated: 08/09/03

1. 1 by Mare

2. 2 by Mare

3. 3 by Mare

4. 4 by Mare

5. 5 by Mare

6. 6 by Mare

7. 7 by Mare

8. 8 by Mare

9. 9 by Mare

10. 10 by Mare

11. 11 by Mare

12. 12 by Mare

13. 13 by Mare

14. 14 by Mare

15. 15 by Mare

16. 16 by Mare

17. 17 by Mare

18. 18 by Mare

19. 19 by Mare

20. 20 by Mare

21. 21 by Mare

22. 22 by Mare

23. 23 by Mare

24. 24 by Mare

1 by Mare
Being a kid isn't easy. When I would hear that old saying on televison spewed by people who were three times my age, I would grumble. Almost laugh to myself. How would they know? It has been a long time since they were kids.

Being a kid IS easy. You get to play all day long, occasionally stopping long enough for ice cream, or a movie. Sleeping in late, watching cartoons all morning and then playing video games all night. Carefree and most of all easy.

At least it is for normal kids...

I remember being normal. Doing all the things a kid my age is supposed to do. I remember enjoying acting stupid, coloring in my little sketch pads and making stupid howling noises just for the sake of doing it. I remember laughing all the time and not looking over my shoulder to make sure it was politcally correct to do so. Heck I even remember when I didn't know what politicaly correct meant.

It seems all that is gone now.

Sketch pads have been replaced with questionaire's, howling noises replaced by screams. Nothing even remotely normal about that.

Yet it's supposed to be.

I'm supposed to act like this is the life that I wanted more than anything else in the world. Like a thirteen year old is capable of making that call. Give me a break. Yes, nothing makes me happier than having old business type men drooling over me calling me marketable, as if I were a new toy or something. Poking and prodding at me, actually asking me to show them my teeth and turning me around to look at my butt.

He's a keeper! someone I am supposed to pretend I like actually said about me. As if I was a puppy or something. Like if I wasn't up to his standards, I would be brought back to the kennel were someone else would be given the opportunity instead of me.

It makes me sick. It really does.

But above all else, probably the worst thing is being thrust into a world with four other guys who I barely even know. I mean I kind of know them but not really. In a normal world, we wouldn't be friends. They are so much older than me. We are all so different. I like them. I like them a lot. But they don't really like me much.

"But he's just a kid" Kevin had said when he was first introduced to Howie, AJ and I. He greeted both of them with hesitant hugs but when he got to me, that is all that left his mouth. He almost got up and walked out. "You've got to be kidding me" He said in a whisper to Lou. A loud enough whisper so that I could hear.

I didn't know what to do at the time. Do I pretend to not hear him? Is that the politically correct thing to do? Howie heard him. Loud and clear.

"Don't listen Nicky. He just doesn't know you yet" He winked and smiled at me.

"Yeah, when he gets to know you, then he will REALLY hate you!" AJ had added.

So I pretended that my feelings weren't hurt. I always did that. Lou referred to us as family. Something that made the last member of our group cringe every time it came out of 'Big Poppas' mouth. See to Brian what we were and what he considered family were always two different things.

But as a forced family, we each had our role. Kevin the older brother, Howie the peace maker, Brian and AJ the middle kids. And me, the baby. Looked good to everyone else I suppose. Couldn't have painted a better scenario. But that's all it was. A scenerio.

Five guys forced to become a unit.

Seemed like it was working too. Except when it came to me. They all bonded and I was always left behind. How it all changed is an interesting story. A story that could only happen in show biz!

Yup...being a kid isn't easy. Those old guys got it right.
2 by Mare
I sat with legs crossed Indian style on the bed, playing my gameboy and listening to the guys argue about who was going to be unlucky enough to room with me for the next three days. That was how it pretty much went all the time. Three guys sharing one room and me and whoever lost the argument sharing the other room. Lou had wanted us all to share one room at first but by some miracle, Kevin was able to plead our case. He agreed on two rooms at a time, except when we happened to be booked at really good places. Then one giant room would have to do.

Truthfully, I would have preferred to have us all in one room. Five people are safer than two anyway. Just my opinion though. And apparently, when you are thirteen, your opinion doesn't count. So I kept my mouth shut, played my game and listened.

"Come on...I roomed with him the last time"

"I know, but it seems fair. You are closest in age to him, it should be you" Kevin argued with AJ.

"But he keeps me up all night playing that stupid ass game. It beeps and he grunts. It is so annoying"

"He won't do that" Then looking at me, Kevin continued, "Right Nick?"

"Yeah I will" I said not even bothering to look up from my game. If they thought I was going to make their lives easier while they made me feel like crap they were totally wrong.

"See Kev? What more proof do you need?"

"I want a night to just chill out and drink a beer with the boys"

"Please Kev, give us a break. Right now you are the only boy who can drink anyway"

"So" He leaned in I guess so as to avoid hurting my feelings, "I don't feel like baby-sitting. Not tonight"

"I don't need a baby-sitter" I said matter of factly. They ignored me.

"Kevin, I think since you were technically left in charge of him, it should be you that has to stay with him" Brian said, almost authoritatively enough to have the subject dropped completely"

Almost.

"Why don't you stay in there with him? You guys both love playing video games" My ears perked up at that. I liked the guys. I didn't seem to have as much of a problem with them as they did with me, but I really liked Brian's company best. When he would talk about home and school, his friends, his social life, he made it sound like he was the most popular guy in school. To hang out with him made me feel like maybe I would have been one of the cool kids.

"I kind of just wanted to hang out tonight" My heart sunk.

"Why can't we all just hang out together and then we can just go back to the room to sleep?" I offered. God was I the only one that had any common sense around here?

Howie came over and sat down next to me, "It's not that we don't want to hang out with you Nicky.." Yeah it is but keep the bologna coming "But we want to do some things a thirteen year old shouldn't be doing"

"Like?"

"I don't know, like just hanging out, watching a scary movie and yap like older guys"

"But AJ.."

"I know twerp, but that's different. I am fifteen. I get what they are talking about. I don't wuss out when watching rated R movies"

"Okay AJ... enough" Kevin said sternly.

"Maybe we can all just hang out tonight. Then I will room with Nick" He said as if he was making the biggest sacrifice in the universe. Please Kevin don't do me any favors.

"You know, why don't you guys go ahead and do whatever it is you want to do. I don't mind being by myself. I just kind of want to play some video games anyway" I wasn't going to let Kevin come off as some hero for putting up with me. No, if anyone was going to come off noble it was going to be me.

"But, I know you don't like being by yourself" He said.

"Yeah, but I also don't like feeling like no one wants to be in the same room with me either. I would rather this trust me"

"It's not that Nick. See, I knew you wouldn't understand"

I really didn't want to say that but I had to. Hold your tongue when things bother you. That's the last thing my Mom told me before leaving to go back home to HER normal life. "We have a good thing here Nick. Don't let your temper blow it"

Well, I wanted to take her advice but I needed to show these guys that I would be just fine without them.

"I understand Kevin. I get it okay? I'm not like five or anything. I know you don't want to be around me and feelings mutual, so go do your gay thing or whatever and I'll see you when you come to bed" Ha! Take that.

"You don't need to be saying things like that" He said. I rolled my eyes at him and continued to play my video game. I think I might have made them feel bad but if I did, they didn't show it. I probably just further proved to them that I was some young little brat. Not worthy of their time and attention.

"If you need anything we will be right next door" I nodded and ignored them as they walked out the door.

"Assholes!" I said when the coast was clear and I was finally by myself.

I put my video game down and went to look out the window. I missed playing outside above everything else. Dad and I would have the best time playing touch football in our back yard. I was doing this for them. I had to constantly remind myself. Now that Dad was out of a job, they were really relying on my income to make ends meet. Whatever the hell that meant.

I decided to try and call home, maybe I would be lucky and catch one of them at home. This way AJ or any of the others wouldn't be able to make fun of me for crying when I hung up the phone. Not that any of them had done that yet, but I'm sure it would only be a matter of time. I was just about to dial when there was a knock on the door. I walked over and jumped to try to see the peep hole. Having no luck I just simply asked.

"Who is it?"

"It's Jim" Great Lou's creepy business partner. I opened the door and there he was, decked out in his best Armani suit, sun glasses, even though it was night out and rainy to boot. He thought he was the coolest guy in the universe. I thought he was a dweeb. The man was big. He made Lou look small the only difference between the two being Jim was all muscle.

"Hi..um..the rest of the guys are next door" I said. He pushed past me and sat down on my bed.

"I am aware of that. Thanks"

"Nick, I am going to get straight to the point. Lou thinks you guys are not living up to your true potential"

"Really?"

"Yes, he feels like you are not contributing 100 percent. That all you do is play video games, eat and play. This isn't a game son"

"I know that"

"You sure have a funny way of showing it then" He went over to my Nintendo 64 unplugged it, then grabbed my gameboy from my bed.

"What are you doing?"

"Lou said I should take these from you so you concentrate more on song lyrics and your dance moves. You'll get them back in a week or so"

"You can't do that, that's MINE" I walked over and tried to grab the games away from him. He pushed me with such force I went sailing across the room.

"I can do anything I like kiddo. Make no mistake about that. Lou put me in charge of you. Deal with it!"

"Jerk!" He turned around and like a wuss that AJ said I was, I fled away from him to the corner of the room. Crouching down in a ball on the floor.

"What did you just call me?"

"Nothing" I whispered.

"That's what I thought" He grinned as walked out.

I just stayed on the floor.

I hated that man. From the first minute I met him, he was nothing but trouble. Lou's business partner Jim. I think they were distant relatives of some kind, but when we were first introduced to him, he made sure to let us know he was in charge. He wasn't quite as horrible to the other guys, but to me, he was brutal. He would slap me, push me and most of all look me up and down in a sleazy way. I hated it and him.

The first time I complained about him it was to my Mom. She told me that it was probably just an act. Stop exaggerating. Kevin kind of said the same thing.

"I know he's a hard ass but please...spare me" He had said. So I pretty much just stopped telling people about him and just minded my own business.

Now he comes in here and steals my video games? What the hell is this. OOh I was mad. Very mad. The next thing I knew I punched the wall. Making my fist bleed.

"Fuck a duck!" I screamed, stopping myself and waiting for my Mom to come out of nowhere and beat my ass for saying it. But that's right, I'm alone now. Only one to answer to is myself.

I went into the bathroom and washed my bloody knuckles. I hated being here suddenly. I hated being in this group. I just wanted to go home. I threw all my stuff off of the dresser and screamed, before falling on the floor and pounding my fists on the carpet while crying...
3 by Mare
My little temper tantrum was interrupted by my roommate. He came in before I had the chance to pull myself together.

"What the hell are you screaming about?" He asked as he walked into the room. He stopped halfway between me and the door, stopped and stared.

"Christ..Nick, what happened in here?" I sat up and wiped my tears away.

"Nothing. It's okay just go away!"

"Did you do this?" He asked now walking around the room surveying any damage I might have done.

"Yeah..I did, look can you just leave me alone please?" I choked back tears. There was no way in hell I was crying in front of Kevin. No freaking way.

"Why the hell would you do something like this?" He asked, the level of his voice raising with every question.

"It's none of your business"

"I believe it is"

"Just leave me the hell alone" I said getting up and preparing to lock myself in the bathroom.

He grabbed my arm and turned my hand around, "What did you do to yourself?"

"I punched the wall"

"Jesus Christ just what I didn't want to deal with today" He said as he pulled me along to the bathroom. He turned the light on, made me sit on the toilet and hold out my hand to him so he could get a better look.

"What the hell were you thinking? Oh never mind I take that back..you weren't thinking at all were you?" He said taking a wash cloth and gently washing away the blood that formed around my knuckles. It was a little strange actually how his actions didn't match the furious tone of his voice.

"I'm sorry" I decided why not just apologize. It seemed like the politically correct thing to do.

"Why did you do this?"

"Ouch" I said as he poured some peroxide on my cut.

"I was mad"

"At us?" He asked looking up at me, the way he was crouched down on his knees made him look smaller than me.

"NO, not at you...well..maybe a little" He shook his head.

"Nick, why didn't you just come and talk to us?"

"Why? What good would that have done?"

"It would have saved you this.." He said holding up my hand, "and saved us the trouble of explaining why Lou is being billed for room damage"

"I said I was sorry" I felt a tear fall down my cheek as they flushed with embarrassment. Kevin pretended not to notice I was crying.

"Okay, well we'll talk about this more in the morning. You need to go to bed" I walked out of the bathroom and he followed.

"I'm not even tired yet Kev"

"You probably are a little more tired than you think kiddo. Play some of your video games and you'll fall asleep" I was just about to explain to him that I couldn't play a game that was stolen from me, but why bother? So I just nodded.

"Are you coming back in soon?"

"Most likely. I just wanted to check up on you, I'm glad I did" He went over to my bed and pulled the covers down. They really did think they were baby sitting.

"I can do that myself you know"

"I know" He stood there and watched as I climbed into bed then shut the light off and left the room.

I laid there in the dark listening to them laughing in the next room. Why was I such a misfit that they didn't even want to be in the same room with me? AM I that bad?

"No! No way! That's it!" I said as I got out of bed, put on my sneakers and left my room.

I went right next door and knocked. The laughter temporarily died down just long enough for AJ to ask who it was.

"Me"

"It's the runt" He announced. Then he opened the door.

"Hi" I said as a silence overtook the room. A movie was nervously turned off. AJ shaking his head about it. My guess was it was a porno flick.

"What do you need little man?" Kevin asked. I hated when he called me that.

"Nothing. I wanted to come and hang out. It's too early to go to bed and I'm bored"

"Why? get tired of destroying your room Rocky?" God I hated AJ sometimes.

"Leave him alone" Brian ordered. He pat the bed next to him, so I promptly jumped next to him making him laugh.

I could tell that I had interrupted something, the conversation suddenly became far and in between.

"So, what were guys doing?" I asked still bouncing on the bed. Brian took my lead and began bouncing as well.

"Just hanging out" Howie said.

"Cool, well commence hanging" They all cracked up.

"Uh..nice jammies twerp" AJ said. I looked down to realize I WAS wearing pajama bottoms. Nothing big like Ninja turtles or anything, but pajamas just the same.

"You know, you are a twerp too" Brian said. Suddenly Brian was on my side. I loved it.

"Yeah" I agreed.

"Whatever. Even if they can call me a twerp, which they WON'T" He said giving all the guys a look, "You will always be twerpier than me"

"Twerpier?" Kevin asked sipping his beer.

"Yeah, got a problem with that?"

I yawned. I couldn't believe I was just about falling asleep now that I was in here trying to prove a point to these guys that I was not a kid.

"Tired?" Brian asked me through a smile.

"A little" But I refused to fall asleep. I just sat and listened to the guys talk about girls, success and sex.

"What should we do with him?" AJ asked.

"Just cover him up, he can sleep in here. I'll take his bed Kev" I heard Brian say.

I felt someone cover me with a blanket. Guess I was more tired than I thought.

"Great, I have to sleep with restless boy?"

"Oh stop complaining AJ. You sound like a girl" I felt a plop on the bed, "If you fart in here I will kill you" He threatened me. I pretended not to hear.

The lights were turned off and I fell happily asleep...
4 by Mare
I woke up completely disoriented. I felt a pair of cold feet touch my leg so naturally I jumped. Why was someone sleeping in my bed with me? When I jumped, AJ grumbled and rolled over, stealing the covers away from me. Knowing that meant I would never be warm again, I got up and made my way to the bathroom. I was stiff and achy.

My shoulder really hurt from when Jim pushed me yesterday and sure enough when I went to go check it out, there was a huge bruise laying right at the base of my neck and up my shoulder blade. I don't know why, but once I saw it, it hurt even more. I decided to go get some ice, so I left, bucket in hand and no shoes on my feet, to go get some.

I got to the ice machine and of all the people in the world, who was there?

"Well, look who is up early this morning" Jim said filling up his own ice bucket. He was wearing a velvet robe and fluffy slippers. He kind of looked like he belonged in the Godfather. Of course, the cigar hanging from his mouth only strengthened that mental picture.

"Yeah" is all I said as I hopped from foot to foot trying to warm myself up. He laughed.

"Awe what's the matter, is Nicky cold? Put some damn shoes on your feet then" He grunted then purposely through a bunch of ice on the floor so it would land on my feet. I yelped, then jumped out of the way. He immediately grabbed my mouth in his huge hand.

"Quiet! You want to wake up the whole damn hotel?" The sound of an opening door made him quickly pull away from me, "You should put some shoes on those feet kid" He said as a couple walked past us. As he walked away, he laughed at them and said, "Kids"

They nodded in agreement and gave me a wink. I quickly filled my bucket and went back inside. By the time I was up, so was Howie. Just going to the bathroom of course, but that only meant that now I had to explain why I wasn't inside like I was supposed to be. I put the bucket down on the dresser and clicked on the television. Once I heard the toilet flush I looked over at the door and smiled.

"Oh no way Nicky, it's too early. Turn that thing off and go back to sleep"

"I can't AJ's hogging all the covers and look at him" Howie turned to look at his friend and couldn't help but laugh at what he saw. There was J sound asleep sprawled out completely spread eagle. Snoring with his mouth open.

"Okay maybe so, but I am still tired. So please keep the volume down okay?"

"Kay"

"Thanks"

Once he was down for the count, I took my bucket which was semi melted and proceeded to ice my shoulder using a towel. I couldn't believe how big the bruise was. Jim terrified me, simple as that. He was a mean guy who got a hard on picking on kids I guess. I shuddered to think that maybe there were kids that actually had to call him dad. No way, who would marry that guy? Let alone sleep with him. Ick!

My father would never let something like this happen to me. I let out a heavy sigh just at the mere thought of my dad. I missed him so much. I wonder what they are doing right now? Duh Nick, they are probably sleeping. Just like you should be at 6am. But it wasn't 6 there, it was 9 so maybe they were awake. Thoughts of once again calling home flooded my mind. Calling home and telling my Dad about how badly Jim treats me.

Jim wasn't quite so bad while Mom was with us. I knew she couldn't stay forever though. She had to leave to go do things Mother's should do. You know, like spending time with her normal children. Leaving me to fend for myself. "You will be fine honey. Kevin said he would look out for you and so did Mr. Pearlman, I trust them completely" When my Mom wasn't around usually AJ's was but for some reason she couldn't make this trip to California either, so the kids were parentless. I bet that thought also made Jim horny. What a creep.

"Uh..did you fall in or something twerp?" I rolled my eyes at the door.

"Hang on, I'll be out in a second"

"You've been in there for an hour"

"Have not"

"Have so" He said banging on the door.

"God AJ, you are going to wake up the dead"

"Then you better let me the hell in" I put my shirt back on, dumped the ice into the sink and opened the door.

"It's about freakin time" He said pushing me out of the way.

"What were you doing in there?" Howie asked me as I made my way back over to the bed. Now that J was in the bathroom, I was able to reclaim my spot.

"Nothing...just stuff"

"He was probably jerking off" AJ said climbing back into bed and once again pulling the covers away from me.

"What was with the ice?" He asked me once Howie was sleeping once again.

"My shoulder hurts" I said.

"Oh, why is that? Did I punch you in the middle of the night?"

"Yeah probably"

"Good served you right" He said rolling onto his side. I laughed.

I'm not sure how much longer we slept but we were woken up by Brian bouncing on the bed.

"Rok I swear I'm going to kill your ass" AJ threatened him. I tried to ignore him completely.

"Wakey wakey people!"

"No!"

"Come on, Nick..Kevin wants to see you now!"

"Ooooohhhh" AJ mocked, "Someone's getting a spanking"

"Shut up AJ" I said as I forced myself to get up.

The second I was out of bed, Brian claimed my spot and pushed AJ completely to the floor. "Ha!" I said before running for my life into mine and Kevin's room.

My celebratory mood changed swiftly when I was met with the site of a somber Kevin sitting at the small table. He looked to be in full on lecture mode.

Fantastic.

"Uh..hi Kev, Brian said you wanted to see me or something?"

"Yeah, I wanted you to be in here when Jim got here. It's not fair that I should be the one to get yelled at"

"Jim? Why did you call Jim? Why not Lou?"

"Because Lou made it clear that when he isn't here, Jim is in charge"

"God, no you can't tell Jim about this" I said. Sounding even more urgent then I felt. I think my reaction was making Kevin nervous.

"I have to Nick, he will see the charge on the bill and then it would be even worse"

"NO, you don't understand. He will be so mad" My voice cracked.

"Who could blame him? I would be too"

"NO, you don't understand..please Kevin, just call him and tell him to forget about it. Please?"

"Nick, he's not going to kick you out of the band or anything. Relax.."

"God, no please Kevin.."

There was a knock on the door and I flinched. Kevin gave me an odd look.

"What did you need to see me about?" Jim said walking into the room, he winked at me.

"Good morning Nick"

"Morning" I said looking down at the ground.

"This" Kevin said showing Jim the damage to the wall. It was a small hole but a hole nevertheless.

Jim lost his cool.

"How the hell did that happen?" He shouted with so much animosity in his voice, both of us jumped. I don't think Kevin was expecting that reaction.

"Well? Don't just stand there like an idiot, how the fuck did that happen?" My eyes were big as saucers. I couldn't catch my breath. I don't think Kevin had ever seen me that panicked in his life because..

"I did it" He said. Jim turned away from me and focused his full attention on Kevin.

"You did this?" He asked. Sensing the anger in the older man's voice, Kevin began to back away from him.

"Yeah..uh..I was drinking a few too many beers last night and I accidentally hit the wall. I am really sorry"

"Sorry?" He said walking towards Kevin.

"Sorry doesn't cut it kid" He said and then he gave Kevin a shove.

"Relax man, I'll pay for it"

"Damn right you will pay for it" He said and once again he pushed Kevin back so now he was braced against the wall. Jim moved in so close to him that Kevin was forced to look to his side.

"You need to learn to respect other peoples property kid!" He said and then swiftly slapped Kevin in the face.

"Hey! He didn't do it I did!" I said more in a rage and an act of desperation then anything else.

"I knew it was you" He said now leaving Kevin and focusing his attention on me. Kevin moved away from the wall and wiped the blood away from the corner of his lip.

"It was an accident but leave Kevin alone he didn't do anything"

"He lied, that's something"

"Go away" I said. The big man picked me up by my arms and began to shake me.

"What did you say to me?"

"Let him go" Kevin said now making his way over to me and Jim. When Jim turned his way, Kevin flinched. "You stay out of this!" He said.

He was hurting me, really hurting my arms. They felt like they were on fire and my neck was hurting from being shaken as fiercely as I was.

"I'm sorry" I kept saying over and over again. He finally dropped me to the ground. I fell on my butt, full force wincing in pain as I did.

"You need to learn some manners kid" He said kicking me in the side. Kevin was once again up and ready to punch. Jim grabbed Kevin's fist in his hand, "Please, is that all you got kid?" He pushed Kevin and he landed on the floor pretty much next to me.

"Okay boys! No one needs to know what transpired here. This is our little secret you got it?" I immediately shook my head, my whole body shaking nervously. Kevin didn't say a thing. He looked like he was in shock. He moved closer to Kevin then, "You got it?" He said crouching down next to him.

"Believe me, you don't want to see what I can really do"

"Got it" Kev said in a defeated whisper.

"What did you say? I didn't quite hear that?"

"I said I got it" Jim stood up and smiled, "Good, then it is settled. The damage is coming out of both of your per diems" He said. I nodded and so did Kevin.

"Remember not a word" He smiled and then he left the room, leaving both Kevin and I in a state of total shock...
5 by Mare
5

Kevin and I just sat there, silent and unmoving for the longest time. Facing forward, both trying to come to grips with what had just happened. I think HE was having a harder time excepting it then I was. Afterall I knew Jim was a monster. I have known it for a very long time now. But apparently, Kevin did not. I looked over to him and his expressionless face scared me a little. He was a bit pale but just blank.

"Kevin?" I tapped his shoulder gently. He still continued to look forward

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I think so" That pulled him out of his temporary shock. He turned to me, "Are you okay?"

I nodded but I guess he didn't take my word for it because suddenly his eyes were scanning my body making sure I wasn't bloody or bruised.

"Nick, why the hell did you tell him YOU did that? I had it covered" Now he was yelling at me. Not the reaction I expected.

"He was hurting you. I had to do something" I defended my actions. I wasn't going to let Kevin get his head beat in for something I did.

"Well, that was dumb! That really set him off"

"Oh God Kevin you aren't really that dumb are you?"

"What?"

"He is always set off! He wanted to hurt somebody. He's a mean mean guy"

"Maybe he was just having a bad day" I couldn't believe I heard those words coming out of Kevin's mouth. I mean how can he think this could possibly be a once in a lifetime thing?"

"Kevin, look" I said slowly pulling up my shirt to show him my bruise from yesterday. It was big and nasty. Blue with a tinge of brown. He gasped.

"Where the hell did that come from?"

"He gave it to me yesterday" Kevin's eyes grew big.

"What?"

"He came in here while you guys were in the other room and took my Nintendo away. When I went to get it back he shoved me and I flew across the room"

Kevin stood up just then and grabbed me to get a better look. It hurt like hell.

"Why the hell am I just finding out about this?" He asked once again yelling at me. I pulled away from him and slowly put my shirt back down.

"I tried to tell you.."

"You did NO such thing Nick!"

"He is always mean to me Kevin. I told you that"

"But you never said he..hurts you" Kevin began to pace.

"I was afraid to tell"

"Why?"

"Are you gonna tell?" My question had him stop pacing and look my way once again.

"We need to have a group meeting right now!" He headed towards the door.

"Kevin...are you going to tell?" Oh my God that was the only thought going through my mind. He is going to tell and ruin a good thing.

"You can't tell Kevin" He shot me a look, "Stay hear and DON'T answer the door for anyone but me, I will be right back" And then he was gone.

I decided sitting on the floor by the wall was the safest place to be, so after Kevin left I lowered myself back down and sat with my head resting on my knees. Thinking about home. God how I missed being at home. I HATED going away on stupid trips like this but Lou said it was all a necessary thing. All part of the business. Now I wonder how many times in my life I would be hearing that one?

I moved my hand up to massage my stiff neck. It hurt from where Jim was shaking me. HE made me feel so small. Smaller then I already was. Luckily my mind wasn't allowed to wander too much farther because within about five minutes, Kevin was back with ALL the guys.

They looked confused.

"The meeting with Jim didn't go well did it?" Brian asked.

"I have a question but it absolutely CANNOT leave this room do you understand me?" They all nodded, Brian's eyes just staring at me as I remained on the floor.

"Has Jim.." He paused, trying to find the right words.

"Has Jim what?" Brian asked now once again looking at me with a little more suspicion in his eyes.

"Has he ever hurt you? Any of you?"

"What are you talking about Kevin?" Howie looked perplexed.

"Just answer the question..has he?"

"Hell no" He answered. Kevin looked to the other three and they all shook their heads as well. That made him breath a sigh of relief.

"Good"

"Why would you even ask us that?" Brian asked once again focusing his attention on me. I guess I was being a little too quiet for his taste.

"Because he just totally lost it in here and attacked me and Nick" The three of the guys gasped and for some reason, I laughed.

"How?" Howie asked now moving closer to me

"He.."

"There you guys are" Jim said taking it upon himself to enter the room. It made me very uneasy that he had our room keys. It made me VERY uneasy.

"Hi Jim my man" AJ said getting up and shaking his hand.

"We have a pretty tight schedule guys, so enough dawdling okay?" He looked at the other three to see if they had a strange reaction to him. When he saw that no one was making eye contact he immediately looked at me.

"Nick, can I speak to you alone for a minute?" I looked over to Kevin who looked as terrified as I felt.

"We are kind of in the middle of something" Kevin said actually stepping in between Jim and me.

"Oh you were? Is it something I can help with?"

"No, really it's okay. We will only be a minute" Jim then walked over to Kevin and stared him down.

"Okay then" He said never moving his threatening gaze from Kevin. "But don't forget, I want to see Nick right after this and he will tell me what happened in here"

He then pulled away from Kevin and smiled at me, "Right buddy?" I refused to even answer him or look his way.

When he left the room, the tension was still hanging in the air.

"Guys, I just want you to stay away from Jim okay?"

"But Kev, how is that even going to be possible?" Howie asked immediately growing concerned.

"Just do it!" Kevin said very seriously. As if he were threatening his five year old son for the last time before punishment.

"Kevin, he is our boss, we can't exactly stay away from him" Brian was trying to reason with him.

"Well, you will have to do your best. He is no good and I don't want any of you alone with him...got it?"

"Why?" AJ asked, now looking even more perplexed then before.

"I'll tell you later" He knew Jim was standing right outside the door. So did I. And I also knew he was waiting for me.

"Okay, that sucks ass as an explanation but fine. We will stay away from him"

"Thanks"

"Are you okay squirt?" Brian asked me.

I nodded. I could tell Brian wanted to know everything right here and right now, but I think he also realized that Jim was standing right outside the door.

"Kevin, should I call somebody?" Howie asked. Now I was alarmed.

"Not yet, I need to think this through first" Howie nodded at him and then winked at me.

The three of them piled out of my room leaving Kevin and I behind. Just as predicted, Jim was standing right outside the door as soon as Howie opened it to leave. He smiled at them and then closed the door leaving just the three of us in there.

"Kevin, you tattled on me didn't you?" He asked, in a sing song voice.

"Jim, you will make this a whole lot easier on yourself if you just leave now. Maybe ask Lou to reassign you. Tell him we are being pains in the asses or something"

"That's why I'm here in the first place. HE already think you guys are pains"

"I don't plan on telling anyone, but you have to leave though" I haven't known Kevin for that long but I admired the way he was trying to stand up to Jim. He was scared to death, just like me, but still he was making his points and most importantly not backing down.

"I don't care if you tell the other guys, They are harmless" Then he started heading towards me again. I took a few steps back towards the wall.

"But you won't tell anyone else"

"I can't promise you that" Kevin said once again putting himself between me and Jim.

"I think you will" Even though Kevin was between us, Jim's stare was firmly planted on me. I wanted to cry.

"If I get one phone call or anything it's over boys. I mean it. You'll never work in this town again" He let out a phony gasp before continuing.."And then what would Mommy and Daddy do?"

He laughed and stepped back. "Now come on boys you have a busy day ahead of you. Very busy" With that being said he walked out the door.

"What a jerk" I said.

"Yeah, he is"

"We can't tell Kevin"

"We need to Nick, but I have to figure out who to talk to first. Until I do, not a word to anybody okay?"

"Please Kevin, you heard him. He can ruin our careers. I need this job" I was getting choked up. It's kind of funny that a huge man beating me up didn't make me cry but the thought of disappointing my parents did.

"Nick don't be stupid. He can't do anything to us. We will be fine. Okay? You won't be fired from the group and if Mr. Pearlman would get rid of us because we told on someone who enjoyed beating up on us, then screw him!"

"But what if he takes it out on one of the other guys?" That made Kevin stop pacing once again.

"He won't. At least I won't let him, besides I am going to tell THEM everything"

"But then they have to swear not to tell anybody"

"Nick..stop acting like a kid. This is serious. I am going to put in a call to Mr. Pearlman tonight. After we are done. I just need to figure out what to say exactly"

That just about did it for me and I finally started to cry. He walked over to me and put his arm around my shoulder. "Nick, it will be okay, everything will work out"

"You don't know that for sure"

"Yes I do. Trust me" Then grabbing a napkin off of the table he handed it to me so I could blow my nose.

Once I pulled myself together, we walked out of the room and joined the rest of the guys for what would be our busiest day ever...
6 by Mare
6
Jim made sure we worked our butts off, having NO free time what so ever. Well, until the end of the day. By the time we reached our hotel rooms, it was nearly midnight. We all were walking around like the living dead. All I could think about was throwing off my shoes and going to sleep. I didn't even care about my nice outfit I was currently wearing. I would have gladly fallen asleep in a tux, I was that tired.

"Guys, before we go off to bed we need to have that talk" Brian said.

We were so busy that I hardly even remembered what had transpired in the morning. It felt like years had gone by. But Brian was right, I guess that was the first time all day we had been left alone. Jim was really watching us like a hawk. Especially me. I think he was hoping I'd tell somebody. Sick as that sounds. I think he would rather get caught and hurt me then just sit back and hope his terrorizing glances would scare me to death.

I WAS scared to death.

We decided to meet in Howie's room this time around and once Kevin was convinced that Jim was nowhere in sight, he shut the door and bolted it.

"So? What is the deal man?" AJ asked Kevin who was still standing right next to the door. I think he was scared to death too.

"I think we need to call Lou about Jim"

"What exactly did he do?" Brian asked.

Kevin immediately walked over to me and motioned for me to remove my shirt. I felt violated. But I did it anyway.

"Oh my God!! Are you saying that Jim did that?"

I nodded. They looked at Kevin for reassurance. He also nodded.

"Yeah, we totally need to call Lou. Nick how could you let him do that to you?" I couldn't believe Brian just asked me that question. It really hurt that he said that. Made me feel like I was a loser for not being able to fight him off. I know he didn't mean it like that but that's how I took it.

"He's just a kid Bri, come on...He would have easily been able to do that to you too. To any of you"

I noticed that Kevin didn't mention what Jim had done to him and as tempted as I was to bring it up, I decided to let it go.

"What are we going to say to Lou?" Howie asked sounding more serious then I think I have ever heard him before.

"Not sure"

"Just tell him that Jim is an ass"

"Oh yeah AJ, that will work" I said rolling my eyes.

"I still don't see why we have to tell Lou anything" I said.

"Nick, after what he did to you? Why would you NOT want to tell Lou? Hell I can't believe that you haven't told half the world by now" AJ said.

Kevin took it upon himself to answer for me, "He's afraid that Lou will fire him or something" They didn't understand but then again, I didn't really expect them too. They didn't know me. They had NO idea how bad my family needed this.

"But Nicky, he hurt you"

"I'll live"

"You shouldn't have to live with that"

"He was icing his shoulder this morning" AJ said looking my way.

"Who can blame him, I would be too" Brian said.

"So it is agreed that we talk to Lou then?" Kevin asked, everyone nodded but me. I was to busy playing out how I would explain to my parents why I managed to screw things up for them.

AGAIN.

"Okay, we will call first thing in the morning. Now everyone get some sleep. I have a feeling tomorrow is going to be a long day" We all nodded. I wanted to cry but I held back my tears. At least I would be seeing my family soon again, because Lou was SO going to fire all of our asses!

That night. I couldn't sleep, just stayed awake staring up at the wall. I was thinking about calling Lou ahead of time and telling him that the guys were going to be playing a prank on him. Maybe that would keep things peaceful. Because that's what I needed, Peace.

Someone began jiggling our doorhandle, which scared me to death. I got out of bed as quietly as I could and tip toed over to Kevin "Kevin" I whispered into his ear. He bat my face lightly as if I were a mosquito or something. The door continued to jiggle.

"Kevin" I said a little louder. The jiggling stopped and was replaced by a gentle knock. Whoever it was heard me.

I looked over to Kevin again, trying to decided if he would totally kill me if I woke him just so he could answer a door. Deciding that YES he would, I walked over and gently opened the door.

Once the door opened it happened so fast, I didn't even have time to react. Jim pulled me into the hallway, closed the door and covered my mouth.

"Come with me" He said.

I followed him and grew more and more nervous the closer we got to his door. I thought about running, but for some reason, I didn't. He led me to his room pushed me in and locked the door behind him.

"You need to do something for me kid" He said looking a hair nervous.

"W-w-w-Hat?" I stammered. When I got this scared, I often started to stutter.

"You need to make a phone call for me, to Lou" Is it possible that he had read my mind?

"Why?" He shoved the phone at me, "Just do it!" He said slicking his hair back in a nervous gesture.

"What am I supposed to say?"

"Just say that Jim wants to talk to you" I was confused. Very confused. Once again I didn't have much time to take it all in because Jim started yelling out the numbers I was to dial. I was afraid if I missed one he would kill me, So I let my full concentration go to calling up Lou at...I looked over at the clock.

"It's only 5 in the morning there Jim"

"Yeah, so?"

"Lou will be pissed" That made Jim let out a belly laugh, "Kid you have NO idea!"

As if right on cue, the phone began to ring. I didn't know if I should hang up after the 4th ring or not.

"What if a machine gets it?"

"He will answer" Jim said sounding rather confident now.

Sure enough after about the tenth ring, a very sleepy Lou answered the phone.

"Hello?" He said sounding raspy and disoriented.

"Mr...um...Pearlman?"

"Yes, who the hell is this?" I bit my bottom lip and looked over at Jim, he had a huge grin on his face.

"It's Nick Carter sir" He paused, getting ready to yell..

"Nick, son is something wrong at home?" Why would he say at home?

"NO sir..um..but Jim wants to speak to you" More silence.

"Jim?"

"Yes"

"Why is Jim with you?" What kind of silly question was that? Before I had a chance to ask Lou that, Jim grabbed the phone away from me.

"Hi Lou!" I couldn't hear what Lou was saying but, I heard Jim's words loud and clear.

"Yeah that's right he is with me, they ALL are" I sat across from him trying to make sense of it all.

"See, that's the beauty of it, they all think YOU sent me here with them"

Didn't Lou send him here?

"No! See I've been thinking about this Lou, and you owe me for your time, and my trouble. I worked my ass off for you and these punk ass kids!"

YAY! Lou was firing him!

"I want money..lot's of it"

Lou won't give you money!

"NO way, as a matter of fact, tonight we are going somewhere else so don't even try to track us down. NO police, no families you understand?"

But we can't go anywhere because we have a really busy schedule ahead of us...police?

"I'll let Nick call you again later and I want my demands met! You understand?"

Demands?

"They are fine" He shot me an evil grin, "For now" Then he hung up the phone.

"I'm confused Jim, where are we going?" He grabbed me by my shirt and pulled me next to him.

"Are you really that stupid kid?" He pushed me away and I fell to the floor.

"We are going on a little trip NOW!"

"I still don't.." He raised his arm up into the air as if to hit me. I flinched.

"We need to go back to your room and wake up Kevin and the others. We need to leave now"

"Why?"

"Don't ask me questions Nick. Just do it, and another thing" He walked towards me again and kicked my leg.

"Do you like your new friends Nicky?"

"Yes"

"Wouldn't you just HATE it if something horrible were to happen to them?"

"Yes"

"Then I better not here you tell ANYBODY what just happened in here"

"But I should call my Mom and tell her that we are..."

"No calling Mommy either. I already told her we are going on a trip where there will be no phones"

"I still should"

"Nick, no, now are you going to be a good boy and listen to what I just told you? Or am I going to have to tie you up in here and take care of everything myself?"

Believe it or not, it wasn't until he said those words, that I finally figured out what was going on. Suddenly my throat was so dry, I could barely swallow.

"I will be good" I managed to get out.

"Good, now..let's go wake up those boys and remember what I said, if you tell them about this, I will have to take action" I nodded.

"I'm watching you" He said as he followed me back to my room and turned on the light waking Kevin up.

"What the fuc.."

"Ah..Richardson watch your language"

"What is going on?" He asked looking very sleepy. I said nothing, just started to pack. I am surprised that I didn't just pass out from total fear.

"We need to go, I made a huge mistake..We need to be in San Fransico by morning"

"What?"

"Just shut up and pack. I'll go wake the others" He said getting ready to leave. Kevin jumped up and ran past him, "No, that's okay I will do that." He said. Then glancing my way he smiled at me and went to go wake up the rest.

I wanted to warn him, warn them all but I was to afraid.

SO I just kept packing. "This is going to work really nicely I think" Jim said as he sat on the bed and watched me pack.

Kevin came staggering back in, "they are packing now"

"Good, and don't worry about calling your parents, I already gave them the new phone number of the place we will be staying. I also apologized for my mistake"

"Cool" Kevin said as he packed.

Jim just sat on the bed and watched the two of us pack. I knew Kevin wanted him to leave so he could call Lou. I knew he did. but of course, Jim never left us alone.

Brian, Howie and AJ came in with bags packed and ready to go. "I hope none of you called your parents" Jim said nervously. I hope they had.

"No friggin way, it's too damn early. My Mom would kill my ass" AJ said.

"Good, I called anyway, everything's taken care of"

I knew this was my last chance. My only chance to say something. We were in the process of being kidnapped and I just let it happen.

"Okay guys, let's get moving. We have a LONG ride ahead of us"

With that being said, we all shuffled out of the room one by one. Me pulling up the rear with Jim right on my butt. "Remember what I said Nicky" He whispered sending chills down my spine...
7 by Mare
7
We staggered down to the van all of us barely awake. Except for me, for some reason knowing you are being kidnapped by a strange guy who likes to beat up on you, has that kind of effect on somebody. Once again I toyed with the idea of warning the others in some way, maybe yelling for help. Anything.

"The kid rides in front with me" Jim said pulling me by the collar and throwing me into the van.

The rest of the guys moved in as Jim started the car. I had an idea. I knew it was out there but still I had to try.

"Jim, how come Dan isn't with us on this trip? I mean he always comes with us" Dan was our driver/babysitter/closest thing to a bodyguard we had. That really was one of the first things I thought about when I found out we were taking this trip.

"Yeah, that's a good question" Brian said while stretching and yawning from the way back seat.

"He had a death in the family. Seems like this trip was doomed from the start" He said laughing out loud. I wasn't ready to let it drop just yet.

"Who died?" I asked trying to sound innocent. He knew exactly what I was doing. I could tell by the way he glared at me.

"I think his uncle or something, Hell kid I don't know. We'll send him a card when we get back"

Before I had a chance to ask anymore questions, we were off. "You guys should try and get some sleep, it will be a long ride" He said.

He sounded innocent enough. The guys knew not to trust him and that was good, but if they only knew what was happening.

"That means you too little guy" He said to me, although when he spoke to me he growled the words.

I tightened my seatbelt suddenly uneasy at the thought of this erratic and scary man driving us anywhere this early in the morning and this nervous.

And he WAS nervous. There was no doubt in my mind. He was sweating like a pig.

We were on the road for about an hour by the time everyone fell asleep. I thought is was odd that no one even asked him any questions. That's how trained we had become. We just do whatever they say. Even Kevin, knowing how evil Jim was, didn't think this was anything more then a routine trip to do some press and recording. Maybe I would have thought the same thing.

Probably.

I just kind of stared forward instead of listening to a radio, the snores of my bandmates kept things off of my mind. At least I wasn't alone right? This would be so much scarier if I was alone.

"You still awake kid?" Jim asked looking at my expressionless face.

"Yeah"

"That was a mean thing you did back there" He said batting my head with his right hand.

"What thing?"

"Asking me all those questions. Very cute"

"Why are you doing this?" I asked him pulling my light jacket close to my face. I felt chilly and I couldn't seem to warm up.

"It's just business kid. Nothing personal"

"Why us?"

"Why not you? Right now you guys are the act that Lou thinks has the most potential. And you know why? Because of all the work that I put into you!"

I suddenly felt glad that he was in the music business instead of being a mailman or something. That could get ugly!

"But won't you go to prison?"

"I think it's time for you to shut up now kid" He said facing forward once again. He hadn't thought this through. He was biting his bottom lip as he drove and whenever he looked my way I pretended to be asleep.

I felt him stare at me from time to time but I kept my eyes closed. Then I felt his hand on my shoulder. I winced and he laughed. "Relax kid, God you are so tense" He said. I sat up straight and quickly looked behind me to see if any of the guys were awake. Just praying that maybe one of them was.

"They're all still sleeping. Looks like it's just you and me" He said when he saw me turn to see if anyone was awake. I shifted in my seat uncomfortably as his hand once again found it's way to my shoulder and then up my neck.

"Stop" I begged him. He didn't listen, he kept massaging my neck making me very uncomfortable.

"I said Stop!!" I yelled it this time.

"What's wrong?" Kevin asked. Quickly Jim took his hand away from me and placed it back on the steering wheel.

"Nick, what's the matter?" He asked again, this time leaning close enough that I could see his face.

"It's nothing, Nick needs to use the restroom, but we just passed the rest stop so you're gonna have to pee in the woods kid" He said. It was amazing how quickly he was able to come up with lies. I nodded. Happy to be able to get out of the car for a minute. Maybe I would get out and just run. I could help the guys if I did that. Run for help. They wouldn't be mad at me, they would know I was just trying to get help.

He pulled off the side of the road. I ran out of the car, I figured that would make him happy if he saw me acting. But when he got out of the car as well, that changed the whole dynamic of things.

"NO!" I said

"Relax kid I have to pee too" I wasn't having any of that. I ran back to the car and hit Kevin's window. He looked annoyed but he opened up the van door anyway.

"What?"

"I don't want to be alone with him" I said right in ear shot of Jim. It was a risky move but I didn't care. Kevin looked concerned and quickly got out of the car to join us. Jim did not look happy. Why did I have a feeling I would be paying for that later?

"Aw, hell I hate peeing in the woods, but now I have to go too. Thanks a lot Nick" AJ said hopping out of the van. Next thing you know everyone was out.

We all did our business in the woods. Jim making sure to stand right next to me. I refused to actually pee when I saw him staring down at me. No way, sorry creep. As we were walking back to the van, Jim pulled me aside, "You think you are real clever huh?"

"Something wrong?" Kevin asked. Jim let me go and I ran ahead.

"No, nothing I can't fix if given the opportunity" He said staring down Kevin.

"Leave him alone" I heard Kevin say. That made me feel safe. Followed by a, "Nick, I am going to sit in the front with Jim. I know how bad your stomach gets when you sit in front"

Thank God.

We piled back into the car, now that I was in the back I was able to relax a bit and surprising myself, I fell into a semi relaxed sleep...
8 by Mare
8

When the car jerked me awake, at first I thought I was on a bus. Maybe on a little junior high tour like we had done only a few weeks prior. That had been such an adrenaline rush for us, little girls screaming our names. The fact that they even KNEW our names was a weird thing. but they screamed them out in complete and utter yearning. Excellent. I was very excited. Afterall theses ladies were my age. The other guys, especially Kevin probably felt a little awkward but not me. Nope I loved it.

So when we came to such an abrupt stop, I was sure I was going to fall right out of my bunk and onto the floor. That wouldn't have been the first time either. But instead of that happening, the jerk of someone's body ramming into mine followed by a swear word that made me realize it was AJ, woke me up and back to reality.

We weren't on a bus on our way to see another batch of hormonal junior high girls, we were in a van with a psycho who was kidnapping us.

"Drive much?" I heard AJ say under his breath.

"What was that McLean?" Jim said turning around very fast.

"Uh... nothing I said Nick smells"

"You better have"

"What happened?" Brian asked from the way back where he was sitting before we stopped short. Now he was on the floor.

"I must have hit a bump in the road" He said, "Sorry guys but we are going to have to take a little detour. Luckily I have a cabin right around here"

"Well, that's a bit of a coinkeedink, don't you think?" I asked no one in particular.

"Shut up!" Jim yelled with such ferocity that everyone stopped breathing I think.

"Sorry guys, I know you have been seeing my temper lately, I apologize"

"That's okay" Howie said with his calming voice.

"Why don't we just call to have someone come out and help us?" Kevin asked maybe thinking that us going to his place was a little more then coincidence too.

"No, trust me Kevin, we are almost there okay?"

"That's ridiculous man I mean I have my cell phone right here.." Howie said attempting to take out his cellphone. He always kept it in his carry on bag. Always.

Jim started getting nervous, "NO Howie, we are really almost there. As a matter of fact, we can get out and walk there"

"Howie wasn't listening though he was too busy concentrating on finding his cellphone, now throwing things around the van frantically.

"I don't understand, it was in here before we left. I put it in here myself"

"Maybe it fell out" AJ said now looking around the floor of the van.

"NO way, it was in here. I know it was"

"Jesus Christ would the two of you stop. I said we are going to my cabin and that is final!!!" He yelled.

The way Kevin flinched I could tell he knew what I had been thinking all along,

He is about to lose his cool again.

"Jim, man calm down it's okay" Kevin said trying to put an arm on the older man. He swatted Kevin away.

Howie was still looking for his phone. "It was a present from my Mom, if I lost it she will kill me. It was here. I know it was!"

"That's it" Jim said and closing his car door and starting the van once again, he turned it around and headed straight into the woods.

"AHHHHH!" We all pretty much screamed. All of Howie's belongings now falling everywhere in the van.

"What the hell are you doing?" Kevin was screaming at Jim, he wouldn't listen though, just kept on driving through the thick grass and over the twigs and bushes.

"Jim you are going to kill us!" Howie said. I wanted to say something like that but whenever I opened my mouth I could only manage a scream.

Finally he stopped the car and once again we all went sailing out of our seats, not having any time to put on a seat belt. I think he was hoping we would have managed to knock ourselves out or something because he seemed disappointed when he heard us all moan.

I was grateful. I was worried that Kevin was going to fly through the windshield. Luckily he had the common sense to keep his seat belt on. If that was me, I would have flown right out of the car.

Jim unfastened his safety belt and exited the car. "Okay guys, the cabin is right up here a little ways" He said now suddenly calm.

The guys had a light bulb moment. Finally..

"That's okay, why don't you go and we'll stay behind, maybe Howie will find his phone and then we can get someone to help us out" That had been Kevin.

Jim was in the middle of walking towards the dirt path that most likely led to his little cabin in the woods, but stopped at Kevin's suggestion. He turned slowly, methodically and his smile made me cringe.

The jig was up boys.

"Kevin, just follow me and no one will get hurt"

"Why would someone get hurt?" Howie asked now slowly walking to stand behind Kevin.

"Just do what I say" I felt a comforting hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Brian standing right behind me. I think they finally realized something was really wrong.

"Jim? did you take Howie's cellphone?" AJ asked.

"Look, I am only going to say this ONE more time, follow me right now, otherwise we do it the hard way" I looked at him, expecting at any moment to see him pull a gun but nothing like that happened. Instead he used me as a weapon. He walked right by Brian and pushed him down, grabbing me by the collar of my shirt.

"Hey!" Kevin said moving forward.

"Hey nothing, now MOVE!!" He said. As he pulled me along side him. The others looked confused, as confused as I looked when I first figured out what was happening.

"Either you guys stay here or you come. Either way the kid is coming with me. You choose" He said as he began to walk away with me in his grasp.

They were SO just going to leave me behind. Probably have a celebration of some sort. Yeah the runt is now living with a madman in the woods. Excellent. It's funny, the kinds of things you think about when in an emergency situation.

They were following us. Thank God.

I had my doubts, but in the end I guess I knew they would come. So he lured us up into his cabin. NO master plan, no guns or knives..yet anyway, and no entourage of people helping. He lured us because of me...
9 by Mare
9
The trek up to the cabin was a bit treacherous. It was dawn so luckily we were able to see, but it was still shadowy and dark along the outskirts of the little dirt path. I was afraid that at any second he was going to shove me off the path leaving me alone in the dark creepy forest. His hold on my shirt was really choking me and his fast pace was making it hard for my little feet to keep up with him. There were times he was flat out dragging me along.

"Jim, are we almost there?" Howie called from behind.

He didn't answer, just kept walking. I tripped once again making him mad as he pulled me behind him.

"How about you let him walk on his own now? We are following you" Kevin said.

"Fine!" Jim said and before I knew what he was going to do, he dropped me to the floor.

Brian came running over to me, "You okay Nick?" He asked. I was massaging my neck. My body was already sore from yesterday. Now it hurt even worse. Kevin and Brian helped me to my feet. "Stick by me little man" Kevin whispered as we continued to follow Jim up the path towards his house.

"What do you think is going to happen up there Kev?" Brian asked barely saying the words at all.

"I don't know" He said, never taking his eyes off the rocky terrain we were crossing.

"We can turn to run you know" AJ said now moving to walk right behind the three of us. Howie a little behind him.

"Run where?"

"Just turn around and run for it"

"I don't think it would be that easy"

"He's right it wouldn't be" Jim had said now standing right next to us.

"You just showed me you guys can't be trusted" He said. Kevin went to punch him. Jim ducked out of the way and punched Kevin square in the jaw. He landed with a thump on the ground.

"So you wanna play rough boy?" He asked once again moving towards Kevin. AJ tried to take him down next but he was pushed aside like a pile of twigs.

"Do you guys think I'm that stupid?" He asked, now pulling Kevin to his feet. He had a bloody nose. Kevin wouldn't give up and once again tried to take Jim down. Not thinking, I tried to get involved as well. The next thing you knew we were all on top of Jim.

Kevin had his arms pinned, Howie was sitting on his legs, Brian and AJ were sitting on his back and I took the liberty of kicking him in the side.

"Get the hell off of me!" He was screaming.

"What now?" AJ asked as Jim continued to kick and scream.

"Nick...run back to the car and try to get help!" Kevin ordered.

"By myself?" I asked. There was no way I was going back the way we had come all by myself back through the woods.

"Nick! Go, hurry!" I just stood there while they all looked at me. Jim struggling under their weight.

"Dammit GO!!" AJ yelled.

"If you go you're dead kid. You understand? Dead!" Jim threatened.

I froze.

"He's not going anywhere" I heard come from just a little passed where we were going. I could have saved us, but I froze. Now as the person who owned that voice stepped into the light carrying a rifle, I realized I had missed my chance.

He walked over to the rest of the guys and aimed the gun at them, "Get off of him boys" Which they all did.

Jim got up and wiped off the leaves that ended up all over him. "Put the fucking gun away Jeremy" Jim hissed.

"It's a good thing for you that I had this thing with me" He said. Jim wasn't listening at all.

"Now MOVE!!" He said once again grabbing onto me this time opting to carry me sideways making me feel totally little and helpless.

The man Jim called Jeremy was now walking behind us holding the rifle, ready to shoot.

I decided to keep my eyes closed for the rest of the walk. The bouncing and being held almost upside down were making me queasy. I also couldn't tolerate looking at my band mates. They were probably steamed at me. Who could blame them.

We walked for what felt like an hour. I know it was probably less, but to me, time seemed endless. No one said a word. Not even AJ. We were all quiet as mice. We ended up leaving the path and walking in the woods. Luckily by then it was very sunny. Otherwise I would have had an anxiety attack. Not that being held upside down by a crazy guy wasn't cause for an anxiety attack, but at least I wasn't alone.

"We're here boys, your new home until we get everything figured out" Jim said once again plopping me to the ground. I used my elbows to block the fall this time so it wasn't that bad.

The other guy, Jeremy, unlocked the door to the cabin and pushed us all inside. It was small. There were three cots. I mean little tiny cots, one longish wooden table with a bench on either side, a fireplace, a small stove and refrigerator and a teeny tiny bathroom.

"I hope you like it, this will be your new home together for the next few days"

"Jim, you mind telling us what in the hell is going on?" Kevin asked taking in his new surrounding.

"All you need to know is that this is business. That's all. Once I get what I want, you can go. Simple as that"

"You kidnapped us man! There's nothing simple about that" AJ yelled. Jim turned towards him and smiled.

"Borrowed AJ...I borrowed you. That's all"

"It's only going to be a matter of time before Lou calls..."

"The police? Your parents?" He let out a laugh along with the other guy.

"Please, Lou won't do that, besides. Your parents are aware that you will be somewhere for at least a week with no phone or contact to the outside world. I told them you were going to a little cabin in the woods out in the middle of nowhere. They seemed fine with the idea"

I know it's probably bad of me to say this, but when Jim said our parents had no clue, I was relieved. It was almost like besides still being taken captive, I had nothing to worry about. Sick huh?

"So, you have plenty of food in here. Towels, blankets, anything you might need. Think of this as a forced vacation okay?"

"Are you staying?" Brian asked, first looking my way then back towards Jim.

"No, you will be on your own for the time being but Jeremy and I will take turns spending quality time with you. Jeremy went to go get your bags from the car" He said going over to the fridge and taking out a beer.

We kind of all just sat on the floor looking up at the ceiling. Jim was sitting on one of the benches with his feet up on the table. Looking like this was a normal day for him. Maybe it was.

"Do you do this often?" I found myself stupidly blurting out. All eyes looked over at me.

"Pardon?"

"I said, do you do this often?"

"Yes, I often take little boys up to my cabin in the woods" He said it jokingly but you could tell none of us really thought he was kidding.

"Relax, you guys are a bargaining tool"

More silence until Jeremy finally stumbled in cursing under his breath and carrying our bags. He dropped them to the floor.

"God you kids have a lot of shit"

"I told you, they are spoiled rotten" Jim said getting up and putting his jacket on.

"Okay guys, have fun. Don't kill each other. I will be back tonight or early tomorrow" Before any of us could object, he and Jeremy were out the door. Kevin tried to follow but it was being padlocked from the outside.

"Um...so what now?" I asked. None of them said a word.

"Guys? So what do we do now?" They all just stared at me....
10 by Mare
10
They were all staring at me, making me more than just a little uncomfortable. None of them would answer my question. I really needed them to.

"Guys, what do we do now?"

"Shut the hell up dumbass! We wouldn't even be in here if it weren't for you"

"AJ, stop it's not his fault" Brian said giving him a stern look.

"Well, if he had left when Kevin asked him to go..."

"He might have been shot" Kevin said walking over to the door once again trying to push against it with all of his weight.

"Well, that's a chance I was willing to take" I knew he didn't mean it, but it hurt all the same.

I did feel guilty. This was all my fault. Especially since I knew what was happening the entire time. I thought about telling them all. Coming clean but they all seemed already so pissed, I decided not to.

"What the hell do we do now?" AJ said slumping onto one of the cots.

"I guess we wait" Howie answered, oddly calm.

"We need to get out of here" I said, voice raising to near panic level.

"Oh sure, now you panic, if you would have just gone for help when.."

"Enough J! That isn't doing any of us any good so stop" Brian yelled, then he came over and gave me a much needed pat on the shoulder. I knew I liked Brian best.

"It's not your fault Nick..Okay?" I nodded, but inside I wanted to cry.

Kevin had another idea, he went over to one of the two windows in the entire cabin and tried to pry it open.

"Shit!"

"What?" Howie said now walking closer to our eldest member.

"He fucking boarded it up from the outside. Dammit!" He walked over to the cabinets and started throwing things from the shelves.

"Kevin what the heck are you doing?" AJ asked, arms crossed and still huffy. I had to stop looking at him because every time I did he would glare back at me.

Kevin went through the mess he had made on the floor, searching frantically for something, "Come here and help me look for something that could maybe pry the boards off the windows"

At the suggestion we all ran over to help. There were boxes of cereal, cans of beef stew and soup and some small pans to cook the canned foods in. But nothing that came even remotely close for us to use as a tool to help us get out.

"We are trapped" AJ said grabbing a box of Twinkies and tearing it open.

"At least he left us junk food" Brian said to no one in particular.

"Yeah, he is probably going to fatten us up and eat us" I said. They laughed, "Thanks Nicky, I think we needed that" Howie said giving me a wink before replacing the look of doom on his face.

They thought I was kidding but I was serious. To me, Jim was a monster. I sat against the wall across from Kevin as he used a ladle to try to pry apart the wood with. Biting my bottom lip I wondered how long we would be stuck here.

I'm not sure how long we all sat and watched Kevin trying to get us out of the cabin but by the time he stopped I was starving. I looked at Howie's watch as he sat next to me, asleep in a sitting position. It was noon already.

"I'm hungry" I said sounding a little whiny.

"SO eat something then" AJ said from his place on the cot.

"I'm kind of hungry too" Brian said grabbing the box of Twinkies from AJ and tearing open a pair. He tossed the box over to me but I missed them completely. Howie picked up the box and put it on the opposite side of where I was sitting. Guess he was awake afterall.

"Why don't we make a can of stew or something?" He said picking himself up off the floor and going to the stove with a pot and a can of Dinty Moore in his hands.

"This is bizarre. Hey guys we are kidnapped in the woods, let's cook some food"

"I'm telling you right now McLean, you are already getting the hell on my nerves. We are ALL in this situation together. Not just you! So kill the attitude!" Kevin barked from the window. Then moving next to Howie, he carefully surveyed the food.

"I guess we should make two cans?" He said more of a question then a statement. It's funny that we all thought that Kevin should know exactly what to do. He was as clueless as the rest of us. That didn't make me feel any better though.

Nevertheless, for the brief period of time that Kevin and Howie were cooking, I was able to pretend that we were just on a little camping trip. Maybe that would help. We sat at the long table and ate our stew, no one said a word.

"My Mom's tastes so much better than this stuff" I said as I globbed another spoonful into my mouth.

"I should hope so kid" AJ said grimacing at the aftertaste.

"Guys, what if he forgets about us?"

"He won't Nick. He needs us supposedly" Brian ruffled my hair as if to say, so everything will be just fine. Wait and see.

All I thought about was how easy it would be for Jim to set the cabin on fire. We would be trapped inside with no way out. I didn't dare say it though, but that was the thought that ran through my mind as the day turned to night...
11 by Mare
11
You know, it's funny because in horror movies one of the biggest cliches, besides the half naked woman in the hot tub, was the ever present sound of an owl in the background. I remember watching those stupid slasher flicks with my friends back home, well actually my one friend back home, and laughing about how stupid that was. Ooooh there's an owl, that means something dastardly is about to happen.

But as it got darker in the cabin, and as the others began frantically searching for candles or a light source of any kind, an owl hooting in the distance set my heart into over drive.

There was no fireplace in this cabin, and we hadn't thought about looking for a light switch because it had been so sunny out. It wasn't until it had already begun to get dark that Kevin in a panic began tearing things apart in the cabin once again. Looking for anything we could light up.

"Anyone find anything?" Kevin screamed as if the cabin were miles long.

"No" He heard almost in unison.

I didn't help, I was too busy being scared to death. I just sat there still against the wall now wrapped in a blanket and holding a pillow in my arms like it was a prized teddy bear or something.

"I have a pack of matches"

"Lot's of good that will do us AJ"

"Jesus, chill Kevin I was only trying to help"

"I know, look I'm sorry man. It's just that.."

"I know Kevin, it's okay. We'll survive a night without any light. Heck maybe that will even help us get to sleep early. Right guys?" Howie asked trying to shade the tinge of fear in his voice with a tone of optimism. It wasn't working though.

Someone came over and took a seat next to me. I didn't look up, the shadows were playing with my mind. "You gonna be okay?" Brian asked me once again eating something. I could tell eating was something he did when he was stressed out.

"I'm cold"

"Me too buddy" He said and then took the blanket I had wrapped around me and got under with me.

"What are you eating?" I asked him when I heard him continue to chew.

"My nails"

"Ew gross" He laughed.

The cabin grew pitch black within the hour. We didn't even have the luxury of moonlight because of the boarded up windows. It was like being trapped in a coffin. A huge coffin. And it was freezing in there too. There had to be a heater somewhere but we hadn't bothered to look so now, we all found ourselves huddled together under piles of blankets.

The quiet sound of snoring was heard within about ten minutes of our huddle. I was happy for the sound, it drowned out the obnoxious owl.

"How can Howie sleep through this?" I heard AJ ask.

"What else is there to do?" Kevin answered.

I would find something because there was no way I was going to sleep in there. No way. Not gonna happen. I heard something move and let out a little screech.

"Jesus Christ what the hell is wrong?"

Kevin was standing now, I could only tell it was him by the voice and his tall outline. He looked menacing and evil. Everything looked evil in the dark.

"Sorry, I just heard you move and I thought.."

"Nick go to sleep" He said as he felt his way over to one of the cots and laid down. Pulling one of the many blankets we had around us away as he did it. Howie in his half sleep did the same thing.

Suddenly my security blanket was diminishing rapidly and I didn't like it. I found myself gripping onto Brian's shoulder. He tried pulling away but I wouldn't let him. I needed them to stay here on the ground.

"I'm going for that other cot" Brian said as he finally broke free from my grasp and headed into the dark night. Vanishing like a ghost out of my line of sight.

"Hey, why the hell do you get the other cot?"

"Seniority J, sorry"

"This sucks" He said pulling the second to last blanket off of me and moving away, leaving me laying all alone in the middle of the floor.

I tried to convince myself not to panic, that everything would be okay. But how could you do that knowing you were kidnapped and boarded up in a cabin with no light? I began to panic, barely able to breath. Tears started to flow freely down my face as I just sat there quietly crying as one by one, my band mates all managed to fall asleep.

Leaving me all alone.

I couldn't close my eyes, because I was afraid to open them to the sight of something terrifying. The outside noises were now deafening to me. Owls hooting, things scratching at the walls just trying to gnaw their way in. Eerie growling sounds coming from everywhere. Including inside the cabin. Sometimes sounding like it was right next to me.

Occasionally I would wince as something would scurry across my hand. Each time I would hear a sound I would find myself loosing it a little more. My entire body was shaking. My knees were actually knocking together since I was huddled almost in a ball. I was crying almost near hysterics. To the point of hyperventilating.

I was thirteen, I shouldn't have been that scared, but I was. I always was. Even at home, on nights that there were fierce thunderstorms, I would still find my way into my sister's room, using the excuse that I was going in there to protect them but secretly not wanting to be alone.

I wanted my family so bad. They would've made everything better. They usually did. I choked back another sob, really trying hard to be quiet. Guess it didn't work though,

"Nick" I wanted to answer but since I was hyperventilating I just sat there. The black figure made it's way over to me and sat down.

"Shhh...calm down everything will be okay" Brian whispered. I nodded but I still had trouble breathing. Now that he was close he could tell I was terrified. He placed a calming arm around me and pulled me into a hug.

"Nick take a deep breath for me okay?" He said rubbing my arms. I tried but only hiccups came out when I exhaled. I sounded like a woman in labor.

"Shh. Really Nick it's going to be okay. We are all here together" Now there was another looming figure standing over us. He looked like a monster ready to pounce. Not that I believed in monsters but still..

"Is he okay?" I knew it was Kevin.

"He will be fine. He's terrified" Kevin sat on the other side of me. Patting my back. I was feeling like a total loser now. Let's calm down the overly emotional thirteen year old because you know we have nothing else to worry about.

"I'm okay" I finally managed to squeeze out.

I was still breathing like an old man after climbing a mountain but just having the two of them next to me, helped to calm me down a little. Brian still had his arm wrapped firmly around my shivering shoulders while Kevin gently tapped my back.

"Sorry I screwed everything up" I said sounding a little more like myself now.

"Don't lil man. Get some sleep, Brian and I are here okay? Just try to relax" I placed the pillow down on the ground and fell onto it. Almost having my head in Kevin's lap. He just kept gently rubbing my back, trying to calm me down as I closed my eyes. They suddenly felt like ten ton weights.

Before sleep overtook me, the last thing I heard besides the damn owl hooting in the background, was Brian telling Kevin that I was just a scared kid. Maybe I was.
_
12 by Mare
12
for Daniela. Thanks for the constant feedback :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*
I woke up cold, stiff and disoriented. I sat up expecting to see that maybe I had just fallen out of my bed at home. I did that from time to time. Brian laying off to my side made me realize that I was very far away from home. He was huddled in a ball next to me, arms wrapped around himself. I took my blanket and covered him up. It was my fault he was even sleeping on the floor in the first place.

I guess that once I had fallen asleep, Kevin made his way back to his cot because he was now sleeping soundly on the thing. His long legs dangling off the ends. The other two cots were occupied by Howie and AJ, who I guess didn't hesitate to take the cot that Brian had vacated.

I stood up and walked over to the door, still hugging my pillow as I did it. There had to be a way out of this place. Maybe they would be able to knock the door down. I felt like I needed to cry again but I refused to act like a baby any longer. I would have to suck it up like everybody else.

"What are you doing?" I turned to see AJ now standing right behind me, "Did someone try to get in or something?"

I shook my head at him.

"So, you freaked last night huh?" My eyes grew big and I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"I guess a little"

"That's not what Brian said" I looked over to the sleeping form of Brian still lying on the floor.

"What do you mean?"

"He woke me up last night and told me to take the cot because you had a major meltdown"

"It wasn't that bad" I said now getting a little defensive.

"Well Brian made it sound like you were friggin in hysterics or something"

"I need to go to the bathroom" I announced and ran in there leaving AJ probably wondering what my problem was. I didn't care, I needed to get the hell out of there before I died of embarrassment.

How could Brian say that? Why would he say that? I must have sat in the bathroom for about 30 minutes not wanting to come out and face these guys. I considered Brian my friend but all I was to him was some stupid nuisance of a kid. God I'm so dumb. I said wiping away tears. Stop crying!! I threatened myself.

I needed to pull myself together, if for no other reason then for my family. I had to be strong, I was the oldest. I needed to get through this. I splashed some very cold water on my face, because the hot water was non existent and made my way back out into the cabin.

By the time I came out, Kevin was up and rummaging through the cabinets, my guess is he was searching for a way to get us out of there. AJ was sitting on the bench at the table eating some bread slathered in peanut butter. I didn't even want to say anything to Kevin because he probably thought I was a sissy or something. So, I quietly sat next to AJ and grabbed a slice of bread, rolled it into a ball and ate it.

Kevin crawled out from the cabinet under the sink and smiled at me. I smiled back and went on tapping my fingers against the table.

"You guys hungry?" He asked now grabbing some eggs out of the refrigerator.

"Starving" J answered. I only kept my head down. I felt like such a fool.

"What about you lil man?" I shrugged.

"Okay then, I'll make us some eggs. Why not they will only go bad if we keep them too long right?" I shrugged again.

"You're a man of very few words aren't you?" I shrugged again.

"Oh please, Nick talks through his ass most of the time, you just barely know him Kevin. Be happy"

Brian stood up and I suddenly found myself once again wanting to make a beeline for the bathroom. Lock myself in there until this whole ordeal was over. He yawned and made his way over, sitting right next to me and putting his arm around my shoulder.

"Morning guys"

"Morning"

"You feeling better today?" Great just what I needed. Sympathy. He probably asked more for AJ's benefit then mine. Let me show AJ how pathetic you really were.

"Yeah, I'm good" I said moving away from him and back over to my position on the floor.

"He's a moody little thing" AJ said sticking his tongue out at me.

Suddenly a huge banging at the door made me jump and Howie fall off his cot. Kevin quickly walked towards the door holding a frying pan in his hand and motioned for us all to get behind him. Another bang followed by what sounded like scratching was heard.

"Kevin what the hell is that?" Howie asked. You know not only was Kevin supposed to know exactly what to do in this situation but he was also supposed to be psychic.

The sound was intense, no mistaking, it was a growl. And whatever owned that growl was huge. We heard it clanking the lock that was on the door. It actually sounded like three locks. No one said a thing. I think we were all afraid to even breath.

Eventually it stopped. But we all still stood stock still. Kevin still holding that damn frying pan in his hand.

"Okay, I think it's gone" He whispered finally putting the pan down at his side. We all walked over to the table and sat back down, suddenly none of us in the mood to eat anything.

"We have to get out of here" Brian said as if we were just there on our own free will. I wanted to say DUH! But I figured I'd just stay quiet.

The sound of more banging on the door had us all jump in our seats again. But this time there was more. The sounds of locks being opened. It was loud. We were all standing once again. Not sure what the heck to expect next.

Suddenly all the ruckus stopped dead. We all slowly made our way over to the door as it burst open.

"Hi Boys!! Did you miss me?"
13 by Mare
13
I found myself quickly jumping behind Kevin when Jim walked in. Actually it was more like he exploded in. He had three huge bags with him. I didn't take that as a very good sign, to me it signaled that we were going to be there for a long time. At least I wasn't the only one that almost jumped out of my skin when he came in. I looked over to see Brian holding his heart and both AJ and Howie looked perfectly pale. Kevin was the only one that didn't seem to flinch. I think he felt he needed to prove himself. I just hoped that he wouldn't try to hard. I needed a healthy Kevin.

When Jim saw the surprised and scared looks on our faces he seemed more than a little pleased. He threw the bags on the floor and proceeded to the table were he sat down.

He had left the door opened. I know I wasn't the only one that noticed that, we were all looking towards the door.

"Don't bother boys, Jeremy is right behind me" About two seconds after he said that in walked his little side kick.

"Here's the rest of it" Jeremy said just about pushing me out of the way and dropping the bags to the ground.

"What is all this stuff?" Kevin asked in as stern a voice as he could muster. I knew it was hard for him. I knew he was as scared as I was.

"These are things I couldn't give you yesterday. Well I guess I could have if you had all cooperated with me, but since I had to carry that idiot" He said pointing to me, "We couldn't give you things you probably needed, like candles and flashlights"

I couldn't help but smile when he mentioned the two light sources. Maybe tonight wouldn't be so scary afterall.

"When the hell do you plan on letting us go Jim? This is ridiculous" Kevin again. He got right up into the man's face when he said that one. Jim didn't miss a beat, he stood face to face with Kevin and smiled.

"Aw, tough guy wants another go round?"

"Kev, easy man" AJ warned in a calming voice.

"That's okay AJ, Kevin's not going to do anything are you son?"

"Let us go! This is insane"

"Kevin, you must be patient. You are on a nice little vacation besides what better way to get to know each other right?" He shoved Kevin back after he said that and Kevin not expecting the jolt, fell to the floor.

I don't know why, but I found myself enraged once again and felt the need to say something, "You are a big assed bully!"

Jim turned around amused. "That was just too cute" He said grabbing my cheeks and squeezing them so hard I thought my eyes were going to pop out. Then he shoved me aside and I fell face first onto the cold hard floor.

"Anyone else?" He asked holding his arms out to his sides. No one moved. He went over and grabbed Kevin yanking him back to his feet.

"Okay good, glad we got that out of the way" Kevin didn't look at any of us, only kept his head down. He was embarrassed. I was embarrassed for him.

"You might as well get comfy here because Lou is being a little unreasonable" He threw Kev onto one of the cots.

"What?" Brian said echoing the voice of shock that we all were feeling.

"Yeah, he refuses to make a deal with me"

"I hope he calls the police on your ass" AJ said under his breath.

"He won't because we're family"

I was watching Jeremy unpack the bags that they had loaded into the cabin. There was tons of food, mostly canned stuff like soups and more horrible beef stew. As well as blankets, sleeping bags and candles. He was taking them out and placing them on the floor around him like he was making a fort. He looked up and smiled at me. I turned away, back to Jim were he continued to ramble on about Lou.

I didn't care about Lou. I didn't care about anything but letting down my family. I was hoping they would stay in the dark about this as long as possible. If they knew I was taken away and locked up in the woods somewhere they would lose their minds.

"Do our parents know about this?" I found myself asking.

Jim laughed, "Please kid, like Lou is going to tell your parents that you were taken. That would make him look stupid. He won't tell. Sorry, and even if he did, I doubt YOUR parents would much care anyway, hell they have so many damn kids that they probably could stand to lose one or two"

"Take that back!" I said standing up and making my way over to him.

"Nick!" I looked over to Kevin who up until that moment had been quiet and staring at his feet. "Sit down"

There was something in his eyes that made me listen to him. I plopped back down on my chair. Once I sat down, Jim's menacing, fierce look calmed down a bit. "Now boys, let's make the best of this situation. None of us like being crammed into this small place. We have to make do"

"You could have at least gotten a bigger place"

"You would think so Howie, but with the little bit of money I get paid, this is all I can afford"

Jeremy now had unpacked every bag and got up and stretched, making his way over to the table. "I'm going to make myself some food"

"Go for it!" Jim said kicking off his boots and pouring dirt out of them onto the floor. I stood up and walked over to the door, "Where do you think you're going small fry?" Jeremy asked while chewing on a piece of beef jerky. Of course he would eat that stuff, he seemed like the kind of guy that would. Well, that and play with his lil' uns in his trailer somewhere. I know it wasn't nice of me to think that way, because in reality we weren't that far off from trailer trash ourselves, but hey at least we never kidnapped anybody.

I immediately grabbed for the door knob and surprised myself when it opened. I could see by the sudden look of panic on Jim's face that it surprised him too. I ran out the door and stopped once I got about five feet away. Kind of like a cat that runs out of the house for the first time. They think it's a good idea at the time but once they get out there they have second thoughts.

"Get back inside kid" Jeremy said, still eating the jerky. I started to back away from him, ready to turn on my heel and run like the devil if need be. I had no intention of spending another minute in that cabin.

"You can make this hard or easy, your choice" He placed the last bit of jerky in his mouth and threw the wrapper on the floor wiping his hands on his pants before clapping them together and making a fist.

"My friend has a gun on those other punk kids in there, if you run he'll shoot them and it will be all your fault. You want that to happen?" I shook my head. "Okay then, get back inside"

I didn't know what to do. Screaming girls throwing teddy bears, I was getting good at. Just duck or catch. Signing autographs okay good at that too, but no one said in the how to be a pop star handbook, what we should do if ever kidnapped as a contract negotiation. Do you run or surrender? I didn't have much time to think because the next time I dared to look at Jeremy he was charging towards me.
14 by Mare
14
I turned to run but it was too late, he had me in a full on tackle. He brought me to the floor and landed on top of me with a thud. The next thing I knew I was being pulled back into the cabin by my collar.

"Here ya go chief" He said as he personally handed me over to Jim, "It was easier then catching a legless turtle"

I made sure to struggle the entire time. I stopped when I saw the gun on Brian. When Jeremy handed me over, Jim dropped the gun to the floor where Jeremy was quick to retrieve it, "See, Jim man, it's a good thing we brought this thing. You didn't even think we would need it"

"Shut the hell up!" Jim was mad as hell. Again.

"You kid, are really bugging the hell out of me you know that?" Jim said as he now grabbed me by my collar and shoved me towards Kevin, "You better keep an eye on this kid or you will all end up paying for it" I was about to land face first on the floor but Kevin grabbed for me just before that happened.

He pulled me up and gave me such an intense look I almost feared him as much as creepy Jim and slak jawed Jeremy. I sat on the cot and didn't say a word. Not one. As a matter of fact none of us did. It was almost as if they were alone, that's how quiet we all were. I caught a glimpse of Howie looking at his watch and biting his bottom lip. I wondered if he was as afraid of having these guys stay as I was. I found myself wondering now if they were going to stay or leave again. I didn't think I could take a night in the same cabin with Jim knowing the way he looks at me.

As if reading my mind, he looked over to me and smiled. I quickly put my head down. He stood up and started over my way. I felt my body tense with every step he took towards me. "Okay, who here wants to talk to Lou next?" He asked us all. His eyes traveled from one to the other and always managed to stay fixed on me the longest. I might as well volunteer since I knew he was going to pick me anyway.

"How about the big man" He finally said staring at Kevin.

Kevin stood up, "Fine let's do this!" He went to grab the cell phone out of Jim's hand but he quickly pulled it away. "Oh no you don't" He said happily dialing Lou's number.

"Hello Louis" He paused and brimmed with delight at whatever Lou was saying on the other end of the line.

"I have someone here who wishes to speak to you. Just so you know I am not pulling your leg" He then handed the phone off to Kevin who was nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

"Hi Lou" I tried to hear the other end of the conversation and found myself wishing there was speaker phone in here. Or how about any phone that wasn't attached to Jim. Boy that would've been nice. If there was a phone in the cabin the whole time.

"Yes, we are all here and we're fine" No we are not Kevin, stop acting all macho and tell him there's nothing fine with being held at gun point. Tell him I want my Mommy.

"No, he hasn't really hurt us" Kevin said that looking directly at me.

"Okay" He said and then handed the phone back to Jim who took the conversation outside the cabin.

When he was safely out of earshot, Brian asked Kevin, "So, what did he say?"

"Nothing, he didn't say much. I swear to God that he doesn't care at all" That was exactly what I didn't want to hear. I wanted Kevin to say that Lou had come up with a secret message that he had to decode that meant a swat team was on the way to rescue us or something. Maybe the police were tracing the call now.

Jim came in cursing and ranting. He threw the cell phone against the wall and I flinched as it shattered in a billion tiny pieces. "That son of a bitch still won't budge! Dammit what is it going to take for me to get my money? Do I have to kill one of these kids?" I felt my throat get all dry when he said that. He noticed me get all anxious and he smiled, "Yeah maybe we'll kill the little tiny one first. You know to send a message" My eyes bulged, Jeremy and Jim both had big smiles on their faces.

"Yeah, maybe we can leave him out in the wilderness and let the wolves get him!" Jeremy said now joining on the fun.

"That sounds like a great idea. I bet these boys would be happy to see you go to. Huh guys?"

"Truthfully it wouldn't be a half bad idea" AJ said quickly getting a nudge from Kevin. That had Jim totally crack up.

"Leave him alone guys!" Kevin said, "Nick they aren't gonna kill you. They are just playing with you. And they are going to stop NOW!"

"I'm getting a little tired of you too Kevin. I don't think you are in the position to tell me what I can or can't do, so better stop before I do decide it's better to have one of you missing from here"

"You would never kill one of us"

"You're right I wouldn't but who's to say I was talking about killing you? Maybe I just want to have a little fun" That made Kevin shut up, finally. He took a seat right next to me and once again shot me a look from hell.

"Well, I was going to stay here with you boys tonight but it seems like I now need to go figure out a new plan of action. So, I guess you are on your own for another night, unless you want to stay?" He asked looking over at Jeremy. I closed my eyes. I didn't want to know the answer.

"No way, I have to get home to my family"

"Alright then, I guess I'll be seeing you boys in a day or two at the latest"

I found myself breathing a sigh of relief at that. "See you boys and you better hope we aren't caught because then no one will know where to find you" He winked. Why did he like to play mental mind games like that?

When they left I was about to fall to the floor awash with relief when, "Dammit Nick!" Kevin screaming at me.

"What the hell were you thinking when you tore ass out of here?" I have to say I wasn't expecting that at all. He took me by surprise.

"I thought I could.."

"What? You thought you could run and get help?" I nodded.

"Is this just a game to you kid? These people are dangerous! Yes, I highly doubt that either one would shoot us but even still, Nick you can't play with YOUR life like that and you are definitely not playing with MY life like that either! Use your common sense!"

I looked at them all, they were staring at the floor. I made eye contact with Kevin and he looked mean. Even hateful. I lost it.

"I'm sorry" I said as the tears began to spill out. Damn I didn't want to cry, they already thought I was just a big baby. Now I was proving them right. I knew they hated me but I didn't want them to think I was pathetic. I tried to hide the fact that I was crying but I couldn't.

"Shit" Kevin said as he placed an arm around me. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry okay? It's just that I don't think you realize how serious this is" I found myself pushing him away from me.

"You don't think I know how serious this is? I know exactly how serious this is. My family depends on me to help them out and I am letting them down. Do you think Lou will still pay us even though we aren't doing anything?" They all looked a little shocked by my question.

"My family is going to end up living in a car again if I fail them" I started to ball then, no one said anything. Maybe they didn't realize what I was carrying around with me, or maybe they didn't care and blocked me out. Kevin enveloped me in a hug though for which I was grateful and I cried on his shoulder. While everyone stared at us in silence...
15 by Mare
15
I couldn't believe that I lost it like that in front of a bunch of guys. A bunch of older guys who, most likely would make fun of me because of it for the rest of my life. But then again why was I even worrying about that when our situation seemed so much worse then me losing it. After all I was just a stupid kid as AJ so eloquently put it.

I sniffled on Kevin's shoulder. Poor guy. I really made his shirt sleeve wet. I don't think he had a clue what to do about it. None of them did. They all just kind of sat there watching me. I guess it was better than staring at the walls. As for Kevin, he just kept rubbing my back and making the shhhh sound.

When I finally stopped, which seemed like an eternity later, it was Brian that broke the silence. "Nicky, it's really okay. We just don't want you to get hurt that's all. Kevin just yells when he is worried" He gave his cousin a stern look.

"I'm sorry for losing it like that guys. I'm also sorry for being stupid and running out. Kevin was totally right"

"It's not a matter of who is right and who is wrong Nick, we just don't want you to be hurt that's all" Kevin was quick to say. It felt good hearing him say it but I didn't really believe him. I wanted to though. I really did.

"So, what should we do now Kevin?" Howie asked now that my little drama was subsiding.

"There's not much we can do Howie, let's just try to make the best of this situation. It'll all be over soon enough. It has to be"

"I just hope you're right. This has been really strange don't you think?"

"Uh...yeah I do" Kevin laughed. It was weird, because he was always so serious but the fact that he found humor in this situation eased my mind a little bit. It didn't all feel so grave that way.

"How about we get some more sleep? I for one can use a few extra hours myself" AJ said now sneaking onto the bed that Kevin had vacated.

"Hey!" It was too late for Kev as AJ landed on the cot and pulled the covers over his head. He sighed deeply and sat back down next to me.

"Kev, you can have my cot. I'll stay here with Nick"

"You sure Bri?"

"Yeah, I'm not really that sleepy anyway" Kevin looked over at me and gave me a smile. He looked really tired and worn out. Big dark circles were under his slightly swollen eyes. And the bruise from where Jim had punched him was really beginning to look nasty. He looked awful. I was suddenly glad he opted for some extra sleep. I think out of us all he needed it the most.

"Thanks cousin" Brian nodded.

We sat quiet for about an hour. Just listening to the others sleep. I was still a little uncomfortable around Brian. I looked up to him and thought he was cooler than all the Eskimos in Alaska, but I still felt unsure of how he viewed me. That whole little incident where he told AJ I lost it didn't do much to add to my confidence either.

"Why don't you take out your Gameboy and we'll compete or something"

"Jim took it from me. He stole my Nintendo and my Gameboy"

"Aww we could have really used it about now" Brian said looking at the boarded up window and sighing.

"Brian..tell me about home" He looked over at me kind of surprised.

"Alright. What do you want to know?"

"I don't know, anything you feel like telling me" His voice calmed me down and since there was no radio or television to help, he had to do.

"Well...I live in this neat house with my parents, who are the best"

"They are pretty cool" I said. He laughed.

"Thanks, I'm glad you approve"

"Was it a big house?"

"Not that big. I mean it was about normal for four people to grow up in" I nodded picturing how cool it would have been to grow up with the Littrells. Have two older brothers to watch over me. Sometimes I hated being the oldest. And if anyone would have been a perfect older brother for me it would be Brian.

"What about you squirt? Tell me about your home?" I shrugged. My life didn't seem as exciting as his.

"Not too much to tell. You know my Mom and my whole family"

"Yeah I do, but not really. What do you want to be when you grow up?" I rolled my eyes at him. "I want to be rich, and have girls hanging on both of my arms"

"Really? wow!" He seemed surprised by my answer.

"Yeah so this way they can hold my Gameboy for me so I don't get all tired doing it myself" He let out a huge laugh at that one.

"Guys shut up we are trying to sleep!" Howie growled. I stuck out my tongue at him even though he wasn't looking. Brian was just laughing at me. I think I amused him.

"When I get rich and famous, I am going to buy my Dad a boat and my Mom a house" I said proudly. "She has always wanted a huge house for all of us. The one we are staying in now is pretty small"

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah. It's a two bedroom. Aaron and I actually sleep in the dining room. The girls have the real bedroom" He smiled. I think I saw just a slight glimmer of pity in his eyes. That made me stop. "So, anyways...you going to your high school graduation this year?"

"Actually I don't graduate until next year"

"Oh...Sorry" I felt stupid.

"No, it's okay. I stayed back because of my health. I'm alive that's all that matters"

"I'm glad you're alive" God could I sound any stupider?

He tousled my hair, "Yeah me too buddy" He pulled me towards him and started to wrestle me to the ground. He was tickling my neck and I was kicking at him when suddenly... he stopped.

"Oh my gosh" He said getting off of me and making his way to where the boarded window was. I stood up and followed him. "What?" I asked trying to find exactly what it was he was looking at. He walked over and woke his cousin up, "Kevin get up! I think I found us a way out of here"

I still had no idea what he was talking about. I thought he had lost his mind. Kevin jumped out of bed and ran, for whatever reason. I laughed. "Where? What are you talking about Bri?" Brian walked over to where the window was and pointed. I still couldn't see it but Kevin seemed really happy. "How in the hell did we miss that before?" He asked Brian as he grabbed a chair and started to climb.

"What? What is it? will someone please tell me what you see up there?" I asked jumping up and down hoping to get a better look.

"It's another window" Brian said suddenly growing impatient with me.

"Really?" I asked totally ignored.

"So Kevin, do you think you can reach it?" Kevin grabbed a chair and made his way over to where the window was. It was directly above the boarded up one but almost to the ceiling. The loud noise woke both Howie and AJ who Brian promptly filled in. It took him forever to tell me but they within seconds, knew what was going on.

I kept trying to get into the middle of things but I was literally pushed away every time.

"Dammit! It's too high up, hold onto the chair would ya, I'm getting on my tippee toes" Howie and Brian reached for the chair as Kevin stretched as far as he could. I still couldn't see it from where I was. The wood over the lower window was blocking my view. That and the overall height of the thing. The ceiling in that place was so high, I knew there was no way Kevin was going to be able to reach it. Not without my help.

"Kev, why don't you hoist me up there?" I asked bravely walking towards him.

"Hey that's a great idea" Kevin countered, "AJ come over here front and center. I'm gonna try to get you high enough to reach this"

"Why me? The pip squeak volunteered, I didn't"

"That's just it, he IS a pip squeak. Too small. I need you!" I walked over and sat on the cot sulking. How dare he think I was too small to help. So he calls on AJ? AJ who happens to be only a few inches taller than me. I watched as AJ made his way over to Kevin and tried to stand on the chair next to him. The chair looked like it was going to wobble and fall under both of their weight. Luckily it didn't. Howie and Brian were now holding the chair with all their might while Kevin extended his two hands down making a step for AJ to climb onto. The scene was a little comical.

AJ stepped on Kevin holding tight to Kev's shoulders, causing him to wince in pain. Kevin hoisted him up as far as he could without losing his own balance and having them both crash to the floor. Turns out that wasn't too high. Even with AJ reaching they didn't come close. I was able to see because I finally figured out that if I stood on the bed I would be able to see the action. The window in question was very high but also very small. There was no way that AJ would have been able to fit through it even if he was able to reach. There was no doubt in my mind that I was the only one who could fit through that tiny space.

Me the pip squeak!

Finally when it looked like Kevin was just about to drop his arms sending AJ to the floor, they decided to give up. He helped AJ down and then he also stepped down off of the chair. "Damn it all to hell!" He said frustrated.

"There was no way AJ could have fit through that thing anyways" I said still kind of ticked off at being dismissed so easily.

"I would have made myself fit" He said taking a seat on the chair he was just standing on.

"I would fit with no problem!"

"Yeah but Nick AJ couldn't reach it, there would be no way that you would" Howie now took a seat next to me on the cot as he continued, "Besides, what exactly would you do anyway once you got through...jump down?"

"Hells yeah!"

"Nick stop putting S's on everything! And no you wouldn't be able to jump down from there it's almost..well..high enough" Kevin said while pacing in front of the window.

"What was AJ gonna do then?"

"Nick stop acting like a child, why don't you take a nap or something" My jaw must have dropped to the floor because the look on my face caused both Brian and AJ to laugh.

"Nicky, your just too small to help that's all. It's nice of you to offer though" Gee thanks Howie, you know you aren't the Jolly Green Giant either! I couldn't believe them. I was their ticket out of there and they just kept dismissing me.

"Well, I think you guys are being dumb!" I shouted before turning away from them.

"God you really wanna help? Then go find something to play with and stop your whining!" I turned around and looked at AJ who really could be an ass when he wanted to be. I stuck my middle finger up at him. He laughed, "Do you even know what that means jerkass?"

"Yeah it means you should sit on it and spin you son of a .."

"ENOUGH!" Kevin shouted so loud he echoed throughout the tiny cabin. "I am not in the mood to deal with the two of you right now so shut the hell up and let me think!"

I turned back towards the door away from all of them. All I was to them was a kid. Nothing more or less. I would show them. I made it my mission to get us out of there. Then they would know who really ran the show!

Don't worry boys, Nick's coming to the rescue...
16 by Mare
16
(Author's note: Just wanted tyo say thanks to Sam, Alana, Celtic Rose, Chaos, and Pammy for adding their feedback the last few days. Meighan and Krystalrain you too :) Thanks guys. I really do appreciate it!)

That night I developed a plan. The plan that would guarantee us a one way ticket out of there. But even more important then that, it would gain me the respect that I deserved from them. I was tired of feeling left out. Tired of being ignored. I tried to tell them my plan after Kevin finally figured out that little window was a bust. They kept shooing me away, like I was some kind of annoying fly. I hated that. It was bad enough that we were stuck in this situation but I didn't need to feel unwanted on top of it. And let's face facts here. I was totally unwanted.

After Kevin yelled at AJ and I to shut up, I think the whole cabin stayed quiet for the rest of the day. Kevin was not one to be reckoned with when he was in a bad mood. I think it was safe to say that he had by far moved on from being in a bad mood to being downright scary. Just another thing for me to look forward to being his band mate and all.

Brian made us dinner. A can of baked beans and peanut butter jelly sandwiches. It was odd, and maybe a tad bit disgusting but to be honest, it still tasted better then that stupid beef stew. We sat around the table in silence, just chewing and slurping on Hi-C. I took it upon myself to finally break the silence. Trying again to tell them about the plan.

"So...I was thinking.."

"SHHH!" Kevin hissed from across the table. Really hissed. He sounded like a snake. I wish I had a tape recorder.

"Kevin I just wanted to tell you about my plan"

"Shut up Nick, can't you see no one is interested in your dopey plan?" AJ said. And they thought I was immature.

"Guys, can't we just stop all this stupid fighting and make peace?" Brian pleaded. Poor Bri, I bet he never had imagined this situation before. Not even in his wildest dreams. Not that I had, but I can say that this wouldn't be the first time I was ever stuck in the middle of the woods. The only difference, well I guess it would be a major difference, was that we were trying to get into the cabin instead of getting out. That's where I got my plan from.

My dad, Aaron and I went fishing once while renting a cabin up in the Catskills. We left not even thinking the door would lock behind us. But it did. With the keys on the table inside the cabin. After laughing about it for a few minutes, dad had the brilliant idea to hoist me in through the window. Afraid I would fall once I got in there, he tied some twine we found in the car around my waist and lured me down through the window. Once I was in, I just untied the rope, and walked over and let them in.

Simple.

I could do the same here, maybe take the table and put a chair on top of the table. Of course when I had suggested that to Kevin, he said the table plus the chair together would just break under his weight. Then I could stand on my tippee toes, reach for the window while all the while having something tied to my waist. I would go through the window and lower myself down to the ground and then simply open the door.

After we ate, I decided I would tell the guys about my great idea separately since it seemed they couldn't wait to get away from each other. Howie and AJ ran to one side of the cabin with a deck of cards that AJ had packed in his suitcase, Kevin sat at the table with both hands holding up his weary head. And Brian sat on one of the cots reading a History text book. I had to laugh because even in this situation, I would never choose homework. Even if it was the ONLY thing left on Earth to do.

I decided to walk over to him first, "Hey Bri, whatcha doin?"

"Reading"

"Hey, you think Jim thought about the tutors? I mean don't you think they will be asking about us?" When I said that all heads turned my way. They thought it was a good question. Until they heard Brian's answer.

"Well, not for at least two weeks Nick, remember they were on break. This is just from the long list of homework he left for me" Dejected, everyone went back to what they were doing.

"I didn't even bring my stuff with me"

Brian laughed, "I know and somehow that doesn't surprise me"

"Brian, you wanna hear my plan?"

"Uh huh" He said never even looking up from his book.

"I think I should take the table and move it towards the window" I said looking up hoping to be met with his eyes. Nope. No sign at all of him paying attention to me, "Then I will put the chair on the table"

"Uh huh" Still not even looking or listening.

"Then I will find a big honey bear and sing to it in Japanese while you dance around me in a tu tu"

"Uh huh" I rolled my eyes, "Never mind I'm going to play some cards"

"Kay"

I walked away from him wanting to rip that stupid book out of his hands and nail Kevin in the head with it. I had cabin fever. Literally.

"Hey guys" I said to AJ and Howie who were playing War from the look of things.

"What now squirt"

"I wanted to play. Can I?"

"Sorry Nicky, but War is only for two people. Maybe you can play the winner" Howie said scooping up the cards lying on the table while AJ groaned about it.

"Do you have anything in your suitcase I can use as a rope?" They both looked at me in a strange way.

"I need it for my escape plan"

"Nicky, enough with the escape plan. Leave it to Kevin to figure out"

"WAR!" AJ screamed once again bringing everybody's eyes to one person in the cabin.

"Not a real one...relax" He joked taking the cards and mocking Howie by waving them in his face.

I decided to try Kevin. I walked over and sat across from him instantly imitating his look by using both of my hands to hold my head up. "Is there something you need little man?" He asked.

"Kev, can I please tell you my plan?"

"Nick..let me figure something out okay? Besides I heard what you were telling Brian. It sounds like a good idea but it won't work in here. Trust me"

"Kev, I hope you don't mean the part about him dancing around in a tutu because that was just a joke" He laughed, "No, I meant the stacking the furniture on top of each other. But seeing Brian dance around would be fun to watch"

"Kevin do you think we will actually get out of here? Or are we going to have to wait for Jim to come back?"

Kevin looked so sad. I tilted my head slightly to get a better look at him. He smiled and pat my head. "Yeah buddy, we'll get out of here" He put his hand back under his chin, "And hopefully before Jim comes back"

I hoped so too.

"Hey Kevin, I really think if you hoisted me through the window it would work"

"I know you do kiddo. But it's too dangerous so enough talk of hoisting or climbing okay?"

I nodded.

I watched as he laid his head down on the table. Poor Kevin. He felt like he was so responsible for us. It was really my fault it all happened not his. I wondered if they would hate me if I told them that. Mentioned that I knew we were being kidnapped the whole time. I shook my head. Nope. I wasn't that brave. I would pledge my allegiance to them another way, by getting them out of here.

I decided to wait until early the next morning to put my plan into action. We all went to sleep early and even though I was terrified again, having the flashlights and candles lit helped calm me, besides I was more worried about something going wrong with my near perfect plan. It was early twilight. It was still very dark in the cabin but now putting my hand in front of my face, I was able to make out my fingers. That's when I knew it was time for me to get up.

I stood up and stepped over Brian who slept only a few feet away from me on the floor. I would wake him just before I went through the window. So he could help get me down the other side. They would be mad but once I was able to walk around and open the door for them, they would forgive and forget.

I walked over to the table and as quietly as I could, began to half carry and half drag it over to the window. Luckily, it wasn't that far away from where I needed it to be because a little more noise would have woken everyone up. I went and got the chair. I carried it over to the table and put it on top. Starting to get a little nervous as I did it.

Walking back over to my makeshift bed, I grabbed my rope. Sure I got the idea from an old Brady Bunch rerun but it seemed to work. I had stolen all of our socks and tied them together. I would buy them more after this. They would have to get over it.

I tied the sock rope around my waist and then climbed up on top of the table, "This is it" I whispered to myself taking a deep breath and stepping onto the chair. It was wobbly under my weight and I really thought it was going to fall, but luckily I managed to find a good middle place to stand. I realized I had made a bit more noise then I wanted to when all four guys started stirring in their sleep. I stood there stock still, afraid to even breath. When they all settled back into a nice peaceful sleep, I reached for the window. I was still to damn short though. I tried to get on my tippee tippee toes and doing that I was barely able to reach the sill. I decided to hold onto one of the boards from the window as a brace and when I still had no luck I decided to maybe wake Brian a bit early.

See originally, I planned on Waiting until I was half sitting in the window, then I would call down to Brian, by then it would be too late for any of them to stop me. This way though, I would be screwed. I decided to whisper Brian's name. If he didn't wake I would take that as sign to do it alone.

"Brian?" I whispered,

"Huh?"

"Can you help me out?"

"Later, go back to sleep" He said turning away from me.

Okay that obviously meant that I should do this alone. So I turned back to face the window. God why of all the cabins in the world to be stuck in, did Jim have to go choose one with freaky high ceilings?

I once again stretched for the window but this time I couldn't quite get my balance. I made the situation even worse when I put one of my feet on a board, the chair fell sideways on the table leaving me dangling from the boarded up window. I tried to grab onto anything I could find to break my fall but it was too late. I winced when the back of my head hit the corner of the table. I fell to the ground on my side feeling dizzy and thinking maybe this wasn't such a good idea to begin with. That was pretty much the last real thought I had before the chair I had used to stand on fell and hit me in the head.
17 by Mare
17

(See I didn't keep you hanging this time lol)

The extremely loud bang woke everyone up. I could tell by the shuffling of feet. I hurt everywhere. My legs, my back, my head. Especially my head. Actually my eyes remained closed. I was kind of awake but mostly asleep. I heard Brian screech my name. I think he instantly realized what I had done when he heard the crash. About a half second later he was right by my said.

I didn't know Brian could fly! Cool

"What in the hell happened?" That was Kevin. Boy he sounded less then happy. I tried to open my eyes but couldn't. So I just listened.

"He fell...I don't..know..God Nick can you hear me?"

"How in the hell did he do that! Jesus Stupid stupid stupid" Kevin mad again.

"He's bleeding! AJ go grab a towel or something. What on Earth did he do?" Howie sounded like he was screaming. That couldn't be right. Howie never screams.

"He tried climbing out the window" Brian sounded so sad.

"Watch out" Suddenly I felt my body lifting up. Kevin grabbed me and carried me onto a cot, gently lying me down. I could feel his body sitting next to mine as a cool, damp towel started wiping at my face. In the background, Brian and AJ were yelling at each other about something. I wish I could make out what it was but Kevin's calm slow drawl kind of dampened their yells.

"You are going to be okay lil man. Open your eyes for me please. Open up for Kevin. Come on little guy" I felt his strong hand stroking my hair. Kevin would make a great dad someday.

I suddenly found myself getting confused. Maybe that was my dad. Maybe I wasn't with the guys at all. Maybe I was with my family. It all became clear then. Sleeping in my sleeping bag on the floor of our little cabin in the woods deep in the heart of the Catskill Mountains. Mom and the girls always got the beds. The boys, including dad always got the floor. I was sick one time. Really ill with a high fever. Sweaty and miserable, my dad had let me sleep on a cot while he rubbed my face with a cold towel. It felt so good. So relaxing.

Kind of like now.

So, I must really be with my family. That was it. I once again tried my best to open my eyes. It was so hard though. My eyelids were so heavy. "What are we supposed to do now Kevin? We are stuck in here and he needs help!"

"I know Brian stop yelling at me!"

"Dammit!"

"What's wrong AJ?"

"I am trying to get this stupid door opened, come and help me Howie"

"I'm coming"

When I was sad and not feeling well, my Mom would sing lullabies to me. It was pretty funny because she never really knew the words so she would make them up as she went along. Those were good times. Times when I was just a son and she was just a Mom.

"AJ stop body slamming against the door! The last thing we need are two injured kids in here"

"I'm not a kid Kevin"

"J! Now is not the time"

"I know, I'm sorry"

So, Mom would sing to me while dad pat my head and wiped my sweaty face with that nice cold cloth. Like he was doing now. "Nicky...wake up. It's not good to stay asleep"

Didn't he realize I knew that? Of course he didn't realize that. To them I am just a baby.
It was so odd being a baby when I was so used to being anything but. Always had to be the mature responsible one. Always the one who stayed home to watch the kids when both Mom and dad had to work during the day. They would call school and tell them I was sick.

"That's it!"

"Kevin what are you doing?"

"I am breaking down the door" I felt Kevin..or my dad. I was still too confused to tell which was which, move away from me. I heard them all in a blur of sounds yelling at each other then a few huge bangs.

"Stop it! Kevin you are not going to get the damn thing open"

"We need to get out and get help!"

"Kevin we know that but throwing chairs at the door will not help! Just calm the hell down"

"Don't tell me to calm the hell down Brian, this wouldn't have even happened if you were watching him"

"Don't you dare blame me"

The fighting reminded me of home too. See, after we all decided that I should be in show business, Mom and dad would fight all the time. I mean all the time. They would wait until we were asleep. Like we wouldn't be able to hear the yelling from the next room. Dad saying they were taking the easy way out. Mom saying this was their best chance. I never really had much of a say one way or the other.

"You know, if you guys had listened to him this wouldn't have happened at all"

"Oh and of course you listened to him Howie? You ignored him too"

"No, I didn't. I listened"

Audition after audition, rejection after rejection would only add more fuel to the Carter arguments. It got to the point that I would feel physically ill just thinking about going home and telling dad I was turned down for yet another thing. It's not like he was disappointed in me, he just thought we were wasting our time.

"Why the heck is he not waking up? Oh God..you don't think he broke his neck do you?"

"Brian that's about the dumbest thing I..."

"Did you check for a pulse Kev?"

"No..but.."

"But what?" I once again heard all the footfalls approaching. They thought I was dead. I hoped I wasn't. That would be a total bummer. I haven't even hit puberty yet.

I felt two fingers on my neck. He was tickling me "I don't know where to feel" I heard Kevin said.

"He's alive, he's crinkling his nose"

"What D?"

"His nose, I think you were tickling him"

After they would fight for what seemed like hours, Dad would come into our makeshift room, lay down on the bed beside Aaron or I and try his best to calm us down. Most of the time it was a tickle war that would do the trick. He would always aim for my neck every time. My most ticklish spot.

"Nick? Can you hear me?" I felt a hand rubbing my arm.

"Kevin he'll wake up. Maybe he's just asleep"

"You know AJ, I would believe that if it weren't for the blood on his head!" At the mention of blood I stirred once again. I hated blood. Never had the desire to be a vampire. Never even liked watching movies about them. Blood was gross.

"Where the hell is Jim?"

"Like he would do anything about it Brian. Don't be stupid"

"Shut up AJ and don't call me stupid"

Everyone always called me stupid. Going to school I was always made fun of. Known as the stupid scrawny Carter kid. I hated that. I know that sometimes I tended to say silly things but that didn't make me dumb. I wished I could be as smart as AJ. He seemed like a genius. When he wasn't being a dumbass.

"I have heard just about enough of you guys screaming at each other. It doesn't help"

"What will help then Howie? Mr. Oh I have all the answers man?"

"I never said I had all the answers J"

"God we need out of this place"

"No duh Brian...really?"

"Stop being a smartass AJ!"

My neck hurt. At the moment that's where my thoughts were. Not on all the arguing around me, not on home, but on my neck. I must have banged it really good when I fell.
I tried to move a little and actually heard myself groan when I did it. I was in pain. My head was really throbbing now as well. I suddenly wanted nothing more then to wake and stop feeling as bad as I was. Kevin had moved away from me now. In fact, they all had. They sounded like they were across the room yelling at each other.

"Dad?" I said in barely a whisper. It hurt to talk.

"You know, if you had woken up when he called your name.."

"I TOLD you that I thought he was going to ask me for water or something"

"He's 13 not 5 Brian"

"And what about you Kev? You're so busy blaming everyone else, why didn't you get up?"

"Because he called you not me"

"So that is your problem?"

"Dad?" I said again trying to be a little louder. My throat was parched. I wanted some water.

"What do you mean by that exactly?"

"Guys stop arguing"

"Shut up Howie. What else is there to do in this stupid ass cabin?"

"You know, I am getting tired of the attitude Kevin"

"Yeah? Well, me too Howie"

"Help me please" I said opening up my eyes for the first time. Everything seemed so bright. Like I had a light shining in my eyes. I turned my head to see the four of them arguing by the front door. I didn't see my dad. I hoped he was in the middle of everything.

"You know it's because we were all ignoring the kid. He loves attention"

"Oh like you don't AJ?"

"Shut up Brian I'm just saying.."

"Yeah we know what you're saying. We ignored him and now he's hurt"

"It's not like YOU didn't blow him off either"

"A little help guys?" I thought it was funny that they were so busy arguing about who ignored me that they were all ignoring me now. My head could have fallen off and they wouldn't have even noticed.

"Guys please!" I finally said a bit louder.

"Shut up Nick! Can't you see we are..." Kevin started to say before realizing what he was saying. They all looked at each other and then ran toward me. Kevin took a seat right next to me and placed his hand on my head, "Are you okay Nicky?" I shook my head.

"What hurts kiddo?" Howie asked now moving next to Kevin.

"Everything. My head but my neck is really hurting me"

"Okay, I'll get you some ice" Howie stood up and ran over to the fridge.

"Nick, what the hell were you doing exactly?" Kevin asked me. His tone harsh. I couldn't believe he was yelling at me.

"Is my dad here?" That seemed to shut him up. I was hoping that my father went for a doctor or something. I hated doctors but I knew I probably needed one. My Mom was probably pissed as hell at me too. No doubt it would result in a huge fight when they got back.

"Nicky, he's not here kiddo...we are locked in here. Don't you remember?" I looked up into Kevin's eyes. He looked concerned, afraid and young. Most of all young.

"I want my dad" I said trying to close my eyes to go back to sleep. He slapped my cheek.

"Ouch!"

"Sorry lil man but I can't let you go back to sleep. You may have a concussion"

"I want to go back to sleep Kevin please?"

"No way Jose" He laughed a really fake forced laugh.

"I really thought I could get us out of here. I wanted to be the hero" I said. I couldn't believe my plan failed.

"You are a hero" Howie suddenly said off in the distance. Great now Howie is going to give me some sappy at least you tried and that makes you a brave noble hero speech.

"Well, I'll be damned" Kevin said walking away form me and letting the towel he was holding to my head fall to the floor.

"What?" I asked trying to turn my really stiff neck to see what everyone was staring at. Brian walked over to me, "When you fell, you must have knocked a board from the window loose" I still didn't get it.

"We can get out now Nick. You did it" Then he turned to my band mates. "He actually did it"

"See I told you I'm a hero" I said before feeling a bit sick and turning on my side and puking my guts up. Hey, even heroes throw up from time to time...
18 by Mare
18
I just laid there on my side watching as the guys tried their hardest to pry off the remaining boards from the window. It turns out my little tumble knocked the top board almost off. Once that one came off it was easier for the guys to get in between the wood and the glass to knock the other boards off. I wanted to help but I was so nauseous and dizzy all I could do was lay still and watch. I had thrown up about three times since my knock on the head. Every time I even thought about closing my eyes one of them would come over and slap me. I think they enjoyed it actually. Especially AJ.

I was bummed when I came to the realization that my dad and Mom were nowhere near me and we really had been stuck in this cabin for going on three days now. I could see Kevin coming over to me a few times, probably to lecture me or scream at me before stopping himself turning around and walking away. Poor guy. He was anal enough, I guess my little acrobatic stunt was putting him over the edge.

I closed my eyes because another wave of dizziness threatened to overtake me and I had made a promise to myself that I would no longer vomit in this hell hole. Within minutes I heard those familiar footsteps approaching, which meant I would get a friendly smack in the face.

"Nicky wake up" Yup, there it was. This time it was Howie's turn. I opened my eyes to see him sitting right next to me watching the action.

"I'm awake, just nauseous"

"You need to throw up again? Cause if you do we should start making our way to the bathroom"

"NO, I'm okay"

Kevin was holding both of his hands on the one plank of wood that separated us form freedom anchoring himself with his leg which was pushing against the wall. When that thing came off he was going to go sailing across the floor. He looked over to me, "Why don't you sit up for a while squirt?" Before I had time to even decide if it was something I wanted to do, Howie was grabbing me and hoisting me up to a sitting position. It actually helped my stomach.

"Kevin, what if Jim comes back while we are doing this?" Kevin looked over to Brian as if he had just called him a stupid dumbass.

"He won't"

"Brian has a point. What do we do if he comes before we actually get ourselves out?" AJ had decided to take a break and sit and eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"If you are so concerned about that maybe you should get off your ass and help a little more" AJ didn't move but Howie did. He walked next to Kevin and began pulling. You would think the force of two grown men, well almost grown men, would have gotten that vital board free but no luck. See, the boards were thick. Extremely thick and heavy.

"Guys, maybe Nick's idea wasn't so bad afterall" Brian said giving me a smile. That guy rocked he really did.

"Oh yeah, can't you tell by looking at him what a great fool proof plan that was"

"No, Kev, I mean maybe one of us can climb up there now. Since the top board is gone, it will be easier to balance and then hoist up and over" Kevin stopped pulling and motioned for Howie to do the same. Brian as if making a sale walked over to the window to demonstrate. He grabbed a chair, placed it on the table and stood on it.

"Careful cousin okay?" Brian nodded and held Kevin's shoulder for support. He looked for something to anchor himself with. I wanted to say, "see that's the hard part" but I decided to just remain a silent witness, besides that wave of dizziness had found it's way back. Kevin being the overprotective guy he was, also went to stand on the table with Howie soon following. "Hold onto me Kevin and don't let me fall" Kevin and Howie both supported him when he took a step onto the bottom board. Howie being smart enough to go grab another chair and stand on it to get a better grip on Brian.

With Howie's hand firmly on Brian's back for support, Brian was able to hoist himself up onto the board and open the latch to the small top window. When I heard that thing click I wanted to explode with applause. It was like watching an action movie. Kevin took Howie's lead and took the remaining chair and stood on it.

Okay folks here was the tricky part. Now that he was standing on the board with Kevin and Howie holding him in place, he had to try to get himself up and through the window. Brian was able to successfully open the window as far as it would go, which turned out to be not far at all but trying to get his legs through the window proved to be a bit hard. Once again it was a comical scene. Brian was almost upside down, holding onto Kevin's head for dear life, while his legs were in a sitting position on the sill, his body was just kind of hanging upside down. He looked like a bat. How in the heck did I think I could do that by myself?

After a few minutes of hanging upside down he gave Kevin the sign to help him get down. By sign I meant "Kevin get me the hell down now!"

Just like me, Brian lost his balance and started crashing towards the floor but luckily Kevin caught him in time although they both did go and fall off the table. "You guys okay?" I asked holding a paper towel filled with ice to my head.

"We're all good" Brian said standing and shaking off the dust that had gotten all over him from the top of the window. Howie jumped down from the table and once again sat next to me. "We aren't going to be able to get out of that window" Kevin sat on the table. He looked so frustrated. I wanted to console him and tell him everything would be alright but I couldn't do it.

"How are you feeling Nick?" I guess he could tell I was feeling woozy again.

"I'm okay"

"You look kind of pale"

"We all look kind of pale. We have been stuck inside for three days now"

Kevin rolled his eyes at me and came over. Squatting down, his eyes met mine. He stared at me for what felt like a small eternity and then he finally moved away, "Maybe we should try again" I must have looked that bad to him. I was feeling kind of sleepy and decided maybe it was time to lay back down. I slide down and wrapped my arms around the pillow. "Stay awake Nicky" I heard Howie say off in the distance. He was sounding farther and farther away now. In his place was my dad. We were at the beach this time. Sitting by the waterline and watching the waves. Leslie was burying my feet and legs in the sand. When she would approach me with another bucket to drop on top of me, I would roar at her. She laughed. She had the cutest laugh in the world. It melted my heart. I loved those outings on the beach. No matter what would happen in our lives. The fights, the drama, no food or money, a simple trip to the beach made everything worthwhile. That's why we moved to Florida in the first place. To be closer to the water.

And water was what I felt just then. My eyes burst open, "Holy shit!!" I screamed as my face was met with freezing water. "I told you to stay awake kiddo, you were drifting off again" Howie said holding a water glass. Now empty. I sat up and wiped the water from my face with my hands. "I miss my family" I heard myself say. Great Nick's about to have another episode people. Prepare yourselves.

"We all do Nick. Don't worry we'll get you home to see your family soon. Just promise us you won't fall asleep okay?" I nodded at Brian.

AJ stood up and made his way over to the table. "Let's see if I can get us the hell out of here" He said smugly jumping onto one of the chairs. "Even if you do, remember that I was the one who loosened those boards" I felt the need to remind them all it was my act of heroism that was inching us closer to freedom. Well, heroism or stupidity, depending on how you wanted to look at it.

"J, don't bother. You are too short. There has to be another way" Kevin said jumping on the table and forcing AJ down to the ground. AJ walked dejectedly back to his seat. It was Kevin now that wanted to be the hero. I could tell by his eyes. He wore the same look that I found myself wearing when it came to family matters. The solver of all problems. The one with the cross to bear.

He stood on the table for a few minutes. None of us said anything, then suddenly he laughed. We all watched him as if he was going nuts. "Duh, how stupid can I be?" He asked himself. Jumping off the table, he pushed it away. Then he moved to the cabinets and got out the frying pan. "Kev, what are you doing?" Brian asked him in a let's not get the crazy man mad at us voice.

"Watch" He said and then he moved to the bottom window, to the part that was exposed and hit it with all his might, using the frying pan as if it were a bat. The glass shattered on impact. "God, how come we didn't think of doing that sooner?" Howie asked smiling.

"No idea, I guess we were just so panicked we didn't think about it" He hit the pan against the window once more knocking some more glass out of the frame. "D, hand me a towel would you?" Howie walked over and gave him a towel which he wrapped around his arm. Kevin reached in between the board and the window to try and push some of the glass out of the way. "It will be a tight squeeze, but I bet we can all get out of this window.

"AJ, you first" He said looking over his way. J moved towards Kevin and looked over the situation. "I'm gonna have to lift you up to get you through. Do you have a problem with that?" AJ smiled, "Only if you pinch my ass"

Kevin lifted J, "Watch the glass" He warned AJ as he carefully made his way out of the window. Once through, Kevin immediately looked over to Brian, "I think Nick should go first" He said. "No Brian, you go. We are going to have to have at least three of you on the other side to help Nick through" Brian looked my way, walked over and tousled my hair, "Looks like you'll be seeing your family sooner then you thought" I nodded and watched him make his way over to Kevin and get lifted through the window.

Howie was next. He was so small that it was very easy to get him through. Once he was gone, Kevin waved me over. I stood up but got very dizzy and fell back onto the bed. He came running over, "You okay?" I nodded. He was about to lift me up when I refused him, "No, I can walk over there" I said stubbornly. He lent me a hand and helped me to a standing position.

Brian's face suddenly appeared by the window, "We have a problem, Jeremy is coming" He said in a panicked whisper. Kevin ran over to the window, "How close?"

"Close"

"Then get the hell out of here now!" He yelled to Brian, who just stood there unmoving.

"Go! We will meet up with you"

"We can't leave you guys here"

"Either you go or we are all caught again"

"We'll go get help"

"Good, now go! Hurry!!"

Brian disappeared and Kevin glanced back over to me, "It's going to be okay" He said. I didn't believe him. He grabbed the frying pan and stood behind the door, "Nick..no matter what happens, when I hit him, you run out of here. Understand?"

I didn't have time to answer because within a minute of him saying that Jeremy busted through the door.
19 by Mare
19
Thanks for the latest review Aj's Sweetie :)

The door swung open and Jeremy walked in, "What the hell is going on here?" He was able to get out right before Kevin hit him in the back of the head with the frying pan. Jeremy fell down to the ground holding his head and groaning. "Come on let's go" Kevin said pushing me towards the door. I was about two steps outside when I heard a thud. I turned to see Kevin on the floor with Jeremy holding his leg.

Kevin struggled to break free of the bigger mans grasp. Kicking at him with his free leg. "Stop struggling you little shit!" Kevin was able to bat him on the head once again with the pan but Jeremy was on top of him in no time flat. Now sitting on Kevin and pinning him down to the ground. "Get off of him!" I yelled. Jeremy smiled. I never noticed before how many teeth he was missing. It was weird to picture Jim hanging out with this guy.

"Nick, get the hell out of here now!" Kevin screamed still wiggling from side to side to try to break free. Once again I stood frozen watching the scene unfold. It was an eerie kind of déjà vu`. "Get out of here now! Dammit!" Kevin yelled again. Jeremy actually had his hands around Kevin's neck now. I knew I had to do something. I ran past them back into the cabin to look for something to hit the big jerk with. The frying pan would have been my natural choice but it had since been knocked out of all hands and laid right in the middle of the action. Then I saw a piece of wood lying there on the ground. I ran over to grab it.

When I bent down a whole new wave of dizziness overtook me. So fierce this time I almost blacked out. I put my hands to my head and willed it to go away so I could help Kevin who stopped yelling and was now making gasping noises. In the background, Jeremy was saying things like "How does that feel bitch? You hit me on the head I'm gonna kill you" That kind of made me just suck it up and grab the wood. It was heavy. I dropped it once as I made my way over to them. Jeremy was still choking Kevin who had his hands wrapped around Jeremy's arms. I walked behind Jeremy and hit him with all my might.

The force of the blow knocked him off of Kevin, who quickly rolled over on his side and began to cough. I inched my way closer to the still form of Jeremy just to make sure he was really out cold. Happily he was. Then I focused on Kevin who was still coughing. "Are you okay?" I asked him laying a hand on his arm. "I thought...I..told you...to get out...of here" He could barely breath but still he found a way to yell at me. Amazing!

"You're lucky I didn't, otherwise he would have killed you for sure" I said helping him to a sitting position.

"I could have handled it" He was able to get out in one breath. I was thankful for that. He was worrying me. "I'm sure you could have" I rolled my eyes at him, "now we better get out of here" I said getting to my feet. Once again the dizziness overtook me and I went falling back to the floor. That's when my vow to not vomit anymore until I was out of the hell hole went out the window. I turned and while on all fours, puked my guts out. All over Jeremy.

I felt a calming hand rubbing my back as I was doing it. That was nice. Even my Mom didn't do that. When one of us would get sick, she bailed. Chalking it up to a weak stomach. I can't blame her because I would do the same. If tables were turned and it was Kevin throwing up I would have made sure he was okay by yelling "Are you okay?" from across the room.

"Better now?" He asked in his slow drawl. I nodded but I was lying. I really thought I was going to die right then and there. My head was sure to explode right off of my shoulders. I knew we had to move soon though. Jeremy was not going to wake up a happy man. I for one didn't want to be around to witness it.

Kevin helped me to my feet and we walked out of the cabin. "We need to find the others" He said looking around at the woods. It was amazing to me that there was no path leading to this cabin. It really was hidden from the world. Who would buy a cabin so isolated from everyone? A man like Jeremy I guess. A man who has no social skills and three teeth left in his head.

"Brian!" Kevin yelled startling the crap out of me.

"AJ...Howie!"

He walked a little forward holding his hands up to his mouth to scream. He turned towards me and shrugged, "looks like they got out of here" He said, then nodded for me to follow him. I however, was having a difficult time even standing, let alone walking. I know I must have been swaying because he came over to me and tried to pick me up.

"Hells no" I said stepping away from him.

"It's hell no, God why do you put an S on the end of everything? It's annoying"

"You are not carrying me anywhere" Kevin stopped moving towards me and folded his arms in front of him.

"Fine, I hope you can keep up then because I am not slowing down because of you"

I knew what he was doing, he was trying that same bull crap my parents used on me when they thought I was being stubborn. Kevin kept walking while I just stood there, being dumb. He stopped and gave me a look, "Are you coming?"

"Yeah, I'm coming" I said mocking his drawl. I walked about two steps then had to stop. I thought I was going to fall. He smirked at me. "Well?" He said almost gloating. When I failed to move towards him he shrugged once again and started to walk. Then he stopped. "Shit!" He said walking backwards towards me.

"What?" He didn't have to bother to answer because I saw what he was talking about. Jim was standing there squinting at us, like we were at him. He was about a football fields length away.

Kevin ran over to me, "Hop on" He said turning his back towards me.

"You are giving me a piggy back?"

"Nick! I swear to God, just hop the hell on now" I did as I was told and Kevin adjusting to my added weight, got himself anchored and then turned and ran in the opposite direction. Away from Jim but also away from where we needed to be. We ran behind the cabin and into the woods.

Jim must have realized it was us, I mean there were two of us looking at him, so I knew for sure he was probably running to catch us. Kevin didn't even slow his pace once, he kept running deeper and deeper into the woods. Not even looking back. There were a few times I was afraid he was going to drop me. Especially when he got all Olympic athlete on me and started jumping over downed tree trunks. I was certain I was going to be sick so I just closed my eyes.

Transporting myself back to my house.

Shortly after we moved to Florida, my parents almost separated. Dad never wanted to move away from New York and it got so bad that they refused to even sleep in the same room together. Dad would actually sleep out in the car. Those were hard times for us, I always had to hide my worry for the sake of my brother and sisters. Holding Aaron on one leg and Angel on the other whispering that everything would work out. I never believed myself. Not once.

Then out of the blue dad came back inside while we were eating breakfast and exclaimed, "Enough drama, let's go to Disney World" Well, we were all positively excited about it.

"And where do we get the money for that?" Mom had asked taking the empty breakfast dishes and placing them in the sink.

"Today is not a day to worry about money sweet lips" That was my dad's nickname for Mom.

"Let's just go and have ourselves a great time"

Which is exactly what we did. We has so much fun and laughed like a family. All our troubles forgotten. I remember walking up to the Ninja Turtles after watching their live show and feeling positively star struck. I went and gave each one of them a hug. One of them grabbed me, and picked me up and tickled me. Aaron screamed bloody murder. He was sure I was about to be eaten by an overgrown turtle. I however, loved it. I remember thinking I can do that as we walked away from the park.

That's when the heavy duty auditions started for me. All because of the Ninja turtles.

I felt a hand on my head. I opened my eyes to see Kevin staring up at me with his fingers to his mouth and his eyes wide with fear. I tried to get up but he pushed me down and placed a hand on my mouth.

"I know you are here somewhere dammit!" I heard Jim exclaim.

One thing I knew then, was I wasn't in Disney World anymore.
20 by Mare
20
*Hey Maegan this one is for you! Sorry about the cliffie hehehe no pun intended*

I struggled to break free from Kevin as he held his hand over my mouth. Even though I knew he would never hurt me. It was just a reaction. Who likes to be restrained? All my wiggling was making it hard for him to keep a hold on me "Nick, stop moving or Jim will find us" He whispered. That's when I stopped, but started to breath fast and deep. I think I may have been hyperventilating. The thought of Jim finding us and bringing us back to that Jeremy guy was totally terrifying me. He had almost strangled Kevin, Lord knows what he would have done to me.

"Alright kids, listen, I know you don't like being stuck out here against your will but hiding in the forrest is dangerous. There are bears and wolves" He was walking really close to where we were hiding. I heard the dry leaves crunching under his weight.

"Did you hear that Nick? Big hungry bears and wolves" That made me struggle a little bit more.

"He's just trying to scare us. Hush and stop moving" If he was trying to scare us, it was working. At least on me. Suddenly the thought of going back to the cabin and enduring the wrath of Jeremy wasn't as bad as picturing me being eaten by a pack of hungry wolves. They'd eat Kevin first, but eventually they'd get to me.

"Dammit! Come on guys, I know you are out here. I saw you running. Come out. I promise not to hurt you. You have my word, besides this is just business remember?"

Kevin looked down at me with a stern look. It's as if he knew I wanted to say something, and I really did want to say something. I wanted to say to that stupid ass, that if all we were was business he could take his business and shove it right up his butt! "He's leaving" I Stopped moving and nodded at Kevin as he let go of my mouth and relaxed his posture a bit. The fading footsteps made me relax.

"He'll be back won't he?" Kevin nodded and helped me to sit up.

"Are you alright?" He asked holding my face with both of his hands.

"Yeah, I'm fine"

"Because I could swear you passed out on me while I was carrying you" I stood up and brushed away a few stray leaves that had found a new home in my hair. "Nah, I must have just fallen asleep" I decided to sit on the fallen tree that we were hiding under. "So, what are we gonna do now?"

Kevin walked over and sat next to me, "I guess we need to find our way back to the road" He was looking all around, like he would find a giant arrow in the air pointing us towards the right direction.

"Maybe the other guys have found help by now" I hardly believed my own words.

"We better go, he will be back" Kevin said standing and reaching out his hand to help me up. I refused it and got up all by myself. I wanted to show him he didn't have to take care of me. "Fine, suit yourself" He shrugged at me and then set off away from the cabin farther into the woods.

"Uh...Kev, don't you think we are just going farther away from where we need to go?"

He stopped. His face told me he would rather be eaten by bears then to have to be lost in the woods with me. "I know Nick, but I think Jim will be hanging around close to the cabin. We are going to have to go up and around, hope you're up for it since you refuse my help" Kevin made me so mad sometimes. It's almost like he wanted me to say 'Yes Kevin, I can't do anything without you' I found a burst of energy and decided to run past him and take the lead, "Well come on old man what are you waiting for. I just hope you can keep up with me" He shook his head and rolled his eyes. I ignored him and started towards the big line of trees, trying my best to ignore my pounding headache.

~*~*~*~*~

I'm not sure how long we walked but I can tell you it felt like forever. It was awful, there was absolutely no way to even get our bearings out here. All I saw were trees trees and more trees. I was getting incredibly tired too. My feet were killing me and I had a really hard time keeping pace with Kevin's gigantic steps. Of course he managed to reclaim the lead after only a few minutes and kept walking about ten steps ahead of me. There were so many times I wanted to yell at him to slow down or to stop so we could rest, but I was stubborn. I decided I was going to win this little power struggle.

He would occasionally stop and look back at me, "You okay? Need me to slow down?"

"No, I'm good, keep going" I could be so stubborn sometimes that it boarded on being stupid. I think my dad would call it no common sense. He said the smartest people in the world had little common sense. I'm not sure if he said those things because he thought I was stupid and was trying to make me feel better about it, or that I was smart but had NO common sense. I have to ask him the next time I see him. If I ever get to see him again.

Obviously since I was so busy having an internal dialogue, I didn't notice that Kevin had stopped to wait for me, until I slammed right into him. "Jesus Nick, watch where you're going!"

"Sorry" I don't know why exactly, but I suddenly found myself angry at Kevin. Blaming him for all of this. I wanted to slap him, or punch him or something.

"You need to pay attention Nick, this isn't a game. What if you were just about to walk off the edge of a cliff?"

"Well I didn't did I?" I screamed it at him. I couldn't help it. Maybe it was exhaustion, maybe it was hunger or anxiety, but I lost it and shoved him out of my way. He barely moved, so my shoving didn't do much but him mad.

"What the hell are you yelling at me for?" He yelled that at me.

"Just leave me alone"

"Oh...sure...right. Leave you alone. Don't get all moody with me kid! I'll leave your ass here so fast that you will be begging me to come back"

"Doubtful!"

"Don't tempt me" He was fuming mad. We both were but I highly doubt, looking back on it now, that we were really mad at each other.

"I plopped down on the hard ground, deciding that I needed to stop and rest. If he wanted to go on without me, good for him. "Nick let's go"

"No" I folded my arms across my chest in a move of defiance.

"God, I should have knocked YOU the hell out after I knocked Jeremy out and carried your ass. It would have been soo much quieter then"

"Excuse me? I am the one who knocked Jeremy out. You were the one being strangled by him" Kevin ran his hands through his hair and then smiled, "You know what? Fine..You are right. Thank you. Now can we get going before you have to knock Jeremy out again?"

"I'm hungry" Yup I whined.

"I am too lil man, but we don't have time to do much about that right now" Kevin's tone lightened up a bit, which calmed me down.

"You think the other's are okay?" I asked him now going from wanting to kill him to wanting to cry on his shoulder.

"I think they're fine but the sooner we get to the road, the sooner we will know that for sure" He placed a comforting hand on my shoulder and I nodded. As tired and hungry and sleepy as I was, Kevin was right. I reluctantly stood up and stretched.

"My plan is we, keep heading north, back towards the cabin but far enough away from it, so Jim and Jeremy can't see us, then we can continue on to the road"

"Are we gonna make it before night falls?" I actually gulped when I asked that question.

"I hope so kiddo, if not we have each other...okay?" I felt sick but I managed to give him a small smile in return.

"Okay so let's continue down this way" He said stepping over some bushes and making his way farther into the woods. I started following him.

"My guess is..." And that's all he got out before he fell from my eyesight. It's like he disappeared, "Kevin?" I called to him.

"Uh...a little help please" He sounded like he was off in the distance. I ran towards his voice and stopped short of falling of the edge of a cliff. the same cliff Kevin was dangling off of now. He was holding onto a tree branch for dear life, looking up at me with a sense of panic and urgency on his face.

I quickly ran around, my eyes searching for anything I could find to help him get out of there. "Nick! Hurry, I'm slipping"

"I'm coming...hang on Kev" Not finding anything to help I headed back towards Kevin. "Kevin you still there?"

"Yeah, but hurry" I sat down on my butt and scooted as close to the edge as I could without falling of the side. "Where on earth did this incline come from?"

"Nick, let's not worry about that right now" I didn't realize I had said that out loud and despite the situation, I felt embarrassed. I took a deep breath and held onto the trunk of the tree that was attached to the branch which Kevin was holding onto for dear life. The tree was bent, half fallen. I figured out if I could situate myself on the log and brace myself I could grab a hold of his hand and pull with all my might.

I got onto the trunk and slid all the way to the end, so I was directly above the dangling form of Kevin. I held onto a branch with my right hand and wrapped my legs around the trunk as best I could and turned my face towards the right as if that would give me more strength, before extending my hand down to Kevin.

"Grab my hand" I yelled down to him.

Kevin tried grabbing for my hand, but he was barely able to reach the tips of my fingers, "I can't reach you" I looked back towards him. I nodded and leaned a bit more to try to reach down to him. I extended my hand again only to have to bring it right back up because I felt myself loosing my balance.

"Don't fall" He said, wow thanks for the advice.

I regained my balance and my grip on the tree and once again placed my hand down as far as it could go. This time I felt Kevin's palm in my own. I braced myself for the added weight I would feel at any minute. He began to pull himself up with the help of my hand. His weight had my face pinned right next to the trunk. I smelled the sickly sweet scent of the pine on the bark. And felt ants crawling under my cheek. He groaned as he pulled himself up out of danger and onto the trunk. Getting a firm hold onto my shirt now and using that to pull himself up and onto the dirt.

Once the excess weight was lifted off of my body I fell off the trunk onto the other side in a pile of dirt. I laid on one side of the tree, on my back panting and Kevin laid on the other side of the tree.

I laid there starring up at the beautiful clouds. One of them was shaped like a hot air balloon. The shadow of Kevin standing over me made me blink.

"You're bleeding" He said as he sat next to me and pulled me up to a sitting position.

"I am?"

"Yeah" Then I tasted the blood making it's way into my mouth from my cheek. "I must have cut it when I was pinned against the wood" I said using my sleeve to wipe it away.

Kevin grabbed a tissue out of his pocket and wiped at my cheek. "We need to keep it clean. We don't want you to get an infection" It stung as he wiped but I didn't say anything. I figured we did enough arguing today. Besides, I was just glad he was still alive to boss me around.

"Hey, thanks" He said winking at me.

"No problem" Then out of nowhere I started laughing. Hysterically.

"There was nothing even close to funny about what just happened Nick Carter"

"I know, sorry Kev, but...." I took a few deep breathes to continue to speak, trying my best to not snort, "You had just said, What if you were to fall off a cliff.." I mocked his Kentucky drawl bringing a smile to his face, "And YOU were the one that fell off a cliff" I couldn't control my laughing anymore, I let it go. Kevin also began to laugh uncontrollably. I think we both needed that.

The clash of thunder and a streak of lightening in the sky made our laughter die down.

"Oh, great!" I said just as the rain began to pummel on us in one huge downpour.
21 by Mare
21
(Author's Note~ All I can say is WOW!! Sarah thanks so much for your review, this one is for you and everyone else who has taken a minute to give me feedback. Happy fourth of July)
~*~*~
Kevin and I stood there just staring at each other like two lost puppies. It was almost funny. Here we were in the pouring rain, no jackets, no back packs, not even a hat to shield us from the sudden down pour, but yet neither of us moved.

Not like we could go anywhere anyway. So we stood and stared at each other as the thunder cracked over our heads. "Well isn't this just great! Just GREAT!!" Kevin screamed at what my guess would be the God of bad luck, while I just looked on. I already was a little cold, now I was freezing. I should have brought my jacket.

"What are we gonna do?" I asked him as he paced back and forth making a noticeable indentation in the now muddy ground. "I have NO idea Nick so shut the hell up and let me think for a minute" Great now he was in one of THOSE moods. Who could blame the guy though. I understood that Kevin needed time to think, but the thought of Jim catching up to us suddenly flooded my mind and brought a new and sudden urge to want to run away.

"Kev, we really should move don't you think?"

He stopped his pacing and looked like he was about to yell at me, when suddenly his features relaxed and he nodded. "You're right, let's go...can you walk?"

I nodded. So, despite the heavy pounding rain we moved forward, now looking for shelter. What made things even worse, was the fact that the sudden thunderstorm brought with it a dark cover making it very hard to see.

"It was so nice out just a minute ago, what the heck happened?"

"No clue!" Kevin said spitting out the water that was making it's way into his mouth from his drenched hair. My hair was quickly finding it's way draped over my eyes. I now not only had to figure out how to stay balanced enough not to fall, but I had to push my hair out of my eyes every minute or so. The rain was that bad.

"Let's go up this way" He said pointing towards a small hill. Great nothing was better then trying to climb a muddy hill in the rain. Yay, I can't wait. "There might be somewhere to get out of the rain up here" He screamed to me as once again he found himself way up ahead. I tried to keep up, but my adrenaline from earlier had worn off and a headache had quickly taken it's place.

I looked up at this hill Kevin was insistent that we climb and it was much steeper then I would have liked. On a nice day, maybe it would be no big deal, but the quick way the water was pooling all around us, I just knew it wouldn't be easy. And apparently from the way Kevin was struggling with the first few steps, it wasn't.

Kevin grabbed at a tree branch to help pull himself up but slipped a few times along the way. When he got to the top he looked down, "Come on lil man! Let's go!" He yelled. I think he expected me to be right behind him. "I'm going as fast as I can" I picked up my pace and made my way to the base of the little incline. Grabbing the same branch that Kevin did, I attempted to pull myself up. He made it look easier then it was because I lost my balance and fell flat on my butt. Landing in a puddle.

"You okay?" Kevin started to make his way back down the hill towards me. Normally I would have protested. Demanded that I can make it on my own dammit! I am not a child, but I was too tired and wet to care, so I let him make it all the way down before I even bothered to answer him.

"I'm fine"

"Oh, great. Now he tells me" He extended his hand which I gladly took. He pulled me up with one swish and pushed my hair out of my eyes, "You sure you're alright?"

I nodded. Words escaped me because I felt myself wanting to lose it again. Just sit in the puddle and cry until someone found me. This little game was getting old and I found myself no longer wanting to play it. Let Jim come and get me, at least I would be in a warm cabin with food and a bed. The mere thought of food brought my stomach to life as it let out a huge growl.

"Kevin, why are we running?" I turned back to him and asked. He was walking a little behind me now, probably to push me along when I slowed down.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, why are we running? I mean I don't think they would have hurt us"

"You wanna go back now?"

"It's just that I think it's safer there then.."

"Nicky, trust me on this okay? It's not safer there. Jeremy was strangling me, And Jim...I don't trust him"

"I don't either, I guess it's too late to turn back now huh?" He once again pushed the hair out of my eyes and moved ahead of me. "Yup kiddo, it is. Sorry" He then pushed ahead of me by a few steps and guided me up the hill.

By the time we got up the hill the rain had let up a little bit. Not much but at least it wasn't a down pour anymore. We found ourselves in an open field. "So much for shelter" Kevin grumbled under his breath as we continued to walk forward. My guess is now we were probably parallel to the cabin but far enough away to be safe. It was hard to tell though because of the back tracking we had done at the beginning.

We stopped for a minute, just long enough for Kevin to try to get his bearings, poor guy was in denial. He refused to admit that he had no clue where we were. I wanted to put my hand on his shoulder and tell him it was okay to be scared, but I couldn't do it. Besides I couldn't reach his shoulder yet. That was still a year or so off in the distance. So, I just walked behind him as he tried to lead us to safety.

He stopped just short of another line of trees and dense foliage and sat. Just sat there on the wet sticky ground. "You okay Kev?" I walked next to him and squatted by his side. He nodded. "I'm just tried, I figured we could rest for a minute" He looked sad. His lips were beginning to turn a grayish blue. I placed me hand on his shoulder then, "It's gonna be okay Kev. We'll be okay" He looked up at me and smiled.

I was really happy to be able to rest. I sat right next to him and placed my head on his shoulder. "You're a good kid, you know that"

"Kevin are you delirious?"

"Yeah, probably" I hit him on the arm, but once again found a pillow in the form of his shoulder. He placed his arm around me and rubbed my arms, "You are a popsicle"

"I feel like a popsicle, but your lips are blue"

"I know, we really need to find a place to hide for the night"

"The night?" Now I moved away from the body heat he was exuding and tensed, "We can't spend the night in the woods Kevin"

"We have no choice kiddo, we can't travel in the dark, it's too dangerous"

He took my nervousness as a cue to start moving again, the rain had also started coming down heavier. He pulled himself up and lifted me to my feet before I could protest. "Let's go through those trees over there, maybe we'll see a cave or something"

We got a little farther before it began to downpour once again, this time accompanied by violent lightning. It was so close that it lit up the entire sky. The thunder made the ground underneath us vibrate. We really needed to get out of there. Big time.

We climbed over a ton of fallen trees as a bolt of lightning stuck that field we were just sitting in. The crack was so loud that we both fell to the ground. Getting up slowly we both looked at each other in disbelief, "Holy crap" He whispered. There was a black streak in the middle of the grass that was still smoking from the hit. After staring at the field for a few minutes, both of us thinking, that could have been me, we finally kept moving deeper into the woods. And thankfully farther away from the lightning.

"Look!" I kept my head down, trying to concentrate on each step, I felt miserable, wet, hungry and just blechy. So, when he stopped and said look I felt a small glimmer of hope. When I looked up I saw Kevin once again about ten steps in front of me, pointing at what looked like a cave. I didn't think we would ever find a cave. That seemed like something that would only happen in a movie or bad story.

He inched close to the cave and examined the opening. I just kind of watched on, "Kevin we can't go in there"

"Why? It seems big and most importantly dry"

"Something is going to definitely eat us if we go in that thing"

"Nick, you watch too much television, if you want to stay out in the rain, be my guest. I am going in" He grabbed a big twig and proceeded inside. Ooh like the twig was going to scare away a wolf or a bear or maybe even both. He disappeared in there, leaving me outside alone. When he didn't resurface after five minutes, I cursed my way to the mouth of the cave and walked in. Hesitantly.

"Kevin?" I whispered as I walked further into the darkness. I got as far as a foot before I chickened out and stopped. Maybe Kevin was already eaten and there was a family of bears waiting with forks and napkins tied to their necks, for me to jump in.

"Nick, come on in" I screamed. I mean a blood curling scream because it turned out that Kevin was standing right next to me and I didn't even know it. TI was so dark in there. He grabbed my mouth, "Shut the hell up, you want to just shout Jim's name and get it over with?" Once he felt me calm down, he removed his hand from my mouth.

"It is way to dark in here Kev"

"I know, but once we get a fire started"

"How? It's raining!"

"We'll get it done don't wor.." He stopped when he heard the sound. The same one I did. A distinct sound of something making it's way towards us from the depths of the cave.

"What was that?" I whispered taking a step closer to the opening of the cave.

"Shhh!"

"Kevin what was that"

"I said shh" The sound was getting closer, and with it came a glow.

"What the hell?" Was the last thing I heard Kevin say before I hauled ass out of the cave.

I stopped when I heard the shrill cry of Kevin's voice. I turned back towards the base of the cave, frozen.
22 by Mare
22
I didn't know what to do. I just stood frozen in the rain looking at the mouth of the cave hoping I would see Kevin resurface, uneaten. But ready to run just incase. I wanted to yell his name but I was afraid if whatever was in there had heard a voice it would have charged at me. I was in no shape to run away from a man eating anything. Not even a flower eating anything. I started to cry, poor Kevin, I can't just leave him in there. I have to help. I started to walk slowly and methodically towards the cave.

"Nick!" I stopped again. Kevin yelled my name. He was alive..or..it was a trick. God Carter stop with the over active imagination. That was definitely Kevin's voice you heard. now go help him.

"Hang on, I'm coming Kevin!" I screamed picking up a twig of my own and charging back into the cave.

I never hesitated, just charged right in growling, hoping to scare away whatever it was that had Kevin in it's clutches. I ran into the darkness, towards the beam of light I saw up ahead. Light? That made me stop and say Kevin's name.

"Kev?"

I heard the muffled voices of people. And laughing? Kevin would definitely not be laughing if he was being eaten by a talking bear. Gotta love where the mind goes in times of crisis. I took a few steps closer and said his name again, "Kevin?"

"Nick! Get the hell in here!" Confident there was no apparent danger, I walked towards the light, tripping and falling on my face on the way. I guess the sound of my fall FINALLY brought him out of his hiding spot to help me. He picked me up to my feet, grabbed my arm and eased me down a small drop to where there was a fire waiting. Kevin was sitting warming his hands by the flame.

Wait a minute...if Kevin was warming his hands..."AHHH!" I screamed backing away from whatever it was that had a hold on my arm. He put his hand on my mouth "God will you shut the hell up Nick" The voice made me instantly calm down. The voice of Brian. Once he noticed I recognized him, he moved his hand away and went to sit next to Kevin. "I can't believe this!" I said angrily. Yes, I was angry. I was mad at Kevin for letting me think he was being eaten by a wild boar or something.

"I know, isn't it great?"

"Why didn't you tell me it was Brian? I thought you were in danger"

"You tore ass out of here so fast, I didn't have time to. Oh yeah and thanks for sticking around to help me by the way, I appreciate it" Brian laughed. He motioned for me to sit next to him which I gladly did, "Oh well how many times do you expect me to save YOUR butt anyway?" I cockily asked Kevin. Brian looked with amusement at his cousin, it was nice to be relaxed even if it only lasted for a little bit. And it was even better then that to be out of the cold wet rain and next to a fire.

"How the heck did you start this fire B?"

"I got skills"

"Where's AJ and Howie?" That's when the mood changed. "After we left you guys, we headed towards what we thought was the road only to run into Jim. He saw us so we decided to split up. I ran this way and they ran the other, unfortunately for them, he chased the two of them. I think he told Jeremy to come and get me, but I haven't seen him yet. I ran a little bit of a ways and that's when I found this cave"

"Jeremy was incapacitated" Kevin said before he could speak anymore on it, I interrupted him, "Yup. I had to take care of him too" I placed my hands over the fire. I didn't realize how badly I was shivering. Brian noticed my shaky hands and took off his light gray jacket and placed it around my arms. "Thanks but you can keep it on"

"Nah that's okay, I'm pretty warm now"

"So, what do you mean Jeremy is incapacitated Kev?"

"Long story...anyway, we saw Jim too so we ran behind the cabin. That means that he didn't get to Howie and AJ"

"Well, that's good at least. I hope they stayed dry" I said pulling Brian's jacket closer to me. My hopes kind of sank a little. I had really been hoping in the back of my mind that the three of them had managed to make it back to the main road and get help. Since they didn't that only meant that this wasn't over yet and that we would indeed be stuck spending the night in this cave.

"Did you check this place for bears?"

Kevin laughed, "This kid is obsessed with bears" Brian laughed again, I bet he was happy as hell to see us. I can only imagine how scary this was alone. I was grateful I had Kevin with me although he did tend to drive me crazy.

"Nick, I promise you this cave is bear free, maybe some bats hanging around but bears nope"

"What if they get cold and wet?"

"Nick! How about we'll worry about that when it happens?"

"But..."

"Nick" Kevin raised one of his eyebrows at me, that meant stop talking now. So I did. I sat and leaned my back against the smooth cave wall and closed my eyes. If this had been any other circumstance, I would have really loved being in this thing. When I was little I used to aspire to live in a cave. I wanted my mansion to be a huge cave complete with dinosaurs and cavemen. I blame that stupid Land of the Lost show. For a year solid I pretended I was Will and made BJ be Holly. I suddenly started to sing the theme song, out of the blue..

The Land of the Lost Lost Lost Lost Lost....I opened my eyes and saw both cousins look at me like I was insane but then they both cracked up.

"What was that monkey man's name?" Brian asked me, I shrugged, I didn't remember.

"Chewbacca?"

"No Kev, that was Star Wars, was it Blip?"

"Nope I think that was the Wonder Twins"

"It doesn't matter they didn't live in a cave anyway" Kevin said disgusted, "Yes they did too" I argued.

"No they didn't Nick, they lived up in a tree or something, how can they live in a cave where the dinosaurs could eat them anyway?" UGH!! I hated when Kevin was right. I felt like he always felt the need to prove me wrong. It was so annoying.

"Chaka!!" Brian screamed, I placed a hand over his mouth. He giggled, why we were all so slap happy I had no idea, maybe it was just the thought of being free or dry that did it.

"It was Chaka, see that's close to Chewbacca" I rolled my eyes at Kevin again. Something that I perfected as the years rolled along.

"Hey Brian, did you happen to find any food in here?" I had forgotten how ravenously hungry I was. "I'm afraid not buddy, but there is some bat poop"

"That's disgusting Brian"

"Yeah it is Kev, but if that's the only thing that's available, I say go for it. It tastes pretty good"

"Oh ick! Brian please tell me you didn't eat bat poop?" I was disgusted ready to vomit up the contents of my empty stomach. He laughed, "No, but I would have loved to see one of you do it"

"Sorry B, I am smarter then that, you're cousin however...."

"Hey!" Kevin said lightly smacking the back of my head. I winced. It shouldn't have hurt but the headache I had plus the overall soreness I was feeling really did make everything throb suddenly.

"I'm sorry little buddy" He gently tousled my hair, "What am I Gilligan now?" I asked but I couldn't hide the tired, and dizzy feelings I was experiencing, plus the hunger. Brian saw me swaying where I sat, "Hey buddy, maybe you should try to get some sleep"

"No way, I'm not sleeping in here"

"It's all going to be okay Nick, we are here"

"Like you are going to be able to fend off a bear"

"Nah, but while he's gnawing on Kevin, we'll make our getaway"

"Oh very nice. I feel so loved" Kevin's personality was so different when he was with his cousin. It's like I got to see what the normal Kevin must have been like. I wish he would act like that all the time.

Kevin pat his leg, "Come on lil man, you can use my leg as a pillow" I laughed at him, "That is so gay Kev"

He laughed, "Must you make everything difficult?"

"But what if I fall asleep? Won't I die or something?" I remembered that if I had a concussion, I probably shouldn't sleep"

"Don't worry Nick. We'll wake you up from time to time, now go ahead and rest. You are tired and need the sleep" I decided not to argue anymore. My eyes felt so heavy. I leaned down and rested my head on Kevin's leg. He answered by placing his arm around me, "We should huddle guys because it's going to be a cold night"

Brian made his way next to me and laid against my side. We must have looked like a litter of kittens the way we were all scrunched together.

I instantly felt warm but more importantly I felt safe. I felt Brian move off of me once he thought I was asleep. I kept my eyes closed, at the moment I doubt I could have opened them anyway.

"I think I should go look for Howie and AJ" Kevin said his voice changing from light and happy to dead serious.

"No Kev, it's not a good idea. It's still raining and dark outside. Besides I don't like the thought of you going out there alone" Brian whispered.

"I don't know Bri, I don't like this, he still needs to get to a doctor"

"He will be fine, the kid is exhausted"

"And the cave, is it safe?" I almost popped my eyes wide open at that one. Why would Kevin think this cave wasn't safe when not less then five minutes before he was saying I was being stupid for thinking such silly things.

"I'm glad he's asleep, he needed it. Poor guy has been through hell" I felt one of them place the jacket over me covering me up to my shoulders. "We all have"

Then it dawned on me that the only reason they were joking around was for ME. They wanted to keep ME calm. In all honesty they were as scared as I was. "Well, maybe you should get some sleep Brian, I'll stay up and keep watch"

"No way Kevin, let's take shifts"

"Okay fine. Give me the first shift, you sleep"

"Okay and Kevin for the love of God, please don't leave to find Howie and AJ. I now you're worried about them, but getting yourself lost in the woods won't help"

"I know, I'm just tired of feeling useless. I can't seem to help at all"

"That's not true Kev, don't beat yourself up" I felt Kevin cling onto my arm as he talked, "I should have been able to prevent this whole mess B"

"How?"

"Well, by not letting Jim beat the crap out of this one for starters" I knew he was talking about me, but how in the heck could he feel guilty about that.

"Oh come on Kev, none of us knew"

"I know...but if I was more approachable, he would have told me"

"Not true man, he didn't tell me either and he likes me"

Kevin laughed, I was glad, I felt bad for causing him so much pain. Poor guy and here I was ready to let a bear eat him.

I felt the need to show him I cared without actually confessing to being awake so I hugged his leg, "I love you Kev" I said under my breath.

I felt him hug my arm tighter, "You too lil man"

"Aw that was precious"

"Okay Brian, get some sleep" I felt Brian's warmth on my side once again and this time I really did fall asleep...
23 by Mare
23
Here's the second to last Cabin chapter. Enjoy :)

I awoke to the sound of snoring in my ear. At first I thought maybe I was just under some very warm blankets, but it turned out that instead of warm blankets, I was under two very warm Backstreet Boys. Kevin's arm was still blanketing my shoulder and his head was slung down so that his side was squishing my head. Brian, who was responsible for the snoring, was pretty much laying on top of me. He was using me as his pillow at least my legs up to my hip. If I were to let one rip, he wouldn't have been too happy with me.

I moved my way out from underneath them, Kevin literally falling down to where I was sleeping, without even stirring. I wonder if he did indeed stay awake all night? I stood up and stretched. My muscles were so sore, but one thing that was no longer sore, was my head. Thankfully. I decided to go try to find us something to eat for breakfast since I was so hungry my tummy was far beyond the growling stage and more like yelling at me to feed it. I also felt like it was the least I could do to find these guys, who tried their hardest to keep me calm, some breakfast. So I ventured out of our little hiding spot.

The rain had stopped at some point that night because now, it was very sunny. I had a hard time adjusting to the morning sun, squinting my way out of the entrance of the cave. I walked a little off into the small thicket to find some berries to eat. I really had no idea how to distinguish the poison ones from the good ones, I figured one of the nature boys would do that. My job would simply be to pick as many of them as I could find. I found a patch of blackberries and started picking them and tossing them into my shirt which I had formed into a basket. I stopped when I saw a family of deer standing up a little ways from where I was, eating and minding their own business. I sat down and watched them.

It was so bizarre how even in all this madness, something as tranquil as a family of deer could be right here in the middle of all of this. The leader, looked over at me and I could swear he smiled before signaling the others to run away. I continued to pick my berries until I heard rattling. Not a rattle snake kind of rattling but a person type of rattling. More like a shuffling of feet cracking twigs in it's wake. I stepped closer to the sound, hoping it was a rescue crew. Ready to throw up my hands and shout if need be. But instead I found myself dropping to the hard dewey ground instead, sounds of blackberries squishing under my weight.

"Stop stalling and keep it moving we haven't got all day. If the two of you had just cooperated with me in the first place we wouldn't have had to sleep out here last night"

I luckily had fallen next to a bush so I was able to shield myself from Jim. That was the guy who was speaking. And the two people he was talking to..

"Jim, why the hell don't you just let us go? I mean don't you think this is getting a bit old?"

"Shut up AJ! You know, if all of you had just stayed the hell put, this would probably be over now. But NO"

Jim was shoving AJ along with one hand while holding a gun to Howie's back with the other. What was wrong with this guy?

"Why won't you tell us about the other's?" Howie asked sounding very nervous but mostly tired.

"Because it's none of your damn business"

"I think it is our damn business"

"You can ask them yourselves when you get back to the cabin"

What a big fat hairy liar that guy was! No wonder he was a manager. I tried my best to get a good look at the guys, mostly to make sure Jeremy was not with them. Of course he wasn't with them, if he was, then the guys would know Jim was lying. I swatted at my face where a big beetle had landed and slapped it hard, not meaning to make as big of a sound as I did. Immediately Jim stopped and looked around. I ducked my head back down.

"What was that?" He asked rhetorically. "Is there anyone out there?" I didn't even allow myself to breath. That was the worst feeling, knowing someone was hunting you down but being unable to sneak a peek to see if he was standing right over me, which I was terrified that he would be. I heard him take a few more steps closer to me. "Hello?"

"We're in the damn woods Jim, what do you think a gopher is going to answer you?"

"Shut the hell up AJ, I have had just about enough of your mouth" He pushed AJ and he landed on the ground. I almost stood up and charged at him with my ever popular Nick growl I had perfected since being held up in the woods, but my brain over rode my desire to do that. Howie walked over to his fallen friend and gave him a hand getting back up, that's when he spotted me.

Not Jim but Howie.

"Are you okay?" He asked AJ, then as J nodded he whispered and suddenly AJ's eyes came my way as well. Okay stop staring before Jim takes a look, I wanted to shout, but I figured I'd get my chance after this whole fiasco was over with.

"Let's go we don't have all day" Jim said grabbing a hold of Howie's collar and shoving him along, "What the hell are you looking at anyway?" I quickly ducked my head down once again, "Oh it's nothing, just a rabbit" I heard a few more steps coming towards me, "Where are you going Jimbo, let's go! I am freezing and about ready to starve to death" AJ tried to push Jim back towards where he had shoved Howie earlier, "Well if you saw a rabbit, I say I shoot it and we eat it now"

My eyes widened in terror at the thought of being shot and eaten by Jim and my own friends, once again the rational face of fear talking.

"NO!" AJ screamed, very smooth J very smooth. "Let's just go"

"Why are you suddenly so all gung ho about going back to the cabin? It seem's like you couldn't get far enough away from it yesterday"

"I give up okay? White flag. Besides we just want to see our friends and make sure they are okay" Howie said for good measure.

"Okay fine, let's go" He said and then I heard his footsteps moving away from us, I looked up one last time to see AJ staring at me, worried expression on his face. I smiled to assure him everything would be okay. He nodded and then turned and continued to walk.

Once they were gone from my sight, I tore ass back to the cave, I forgot about the little incline that led to our sleeping spots and fell right off the edge and tumbled into both Kevin and Brian, "Nick what the heck?" Kevin asked sleepily opening his eyes and yawning. His movement caused Brian to stir and open his eyes. "We have to hurry!" I screamed standing up. Kevin was still half asleep until he got a look at me, "Oh my God, Nick what happened? Why are you bleeding?" He popped up onto his feet and grabbed me. I forgot about the blackberries that were smeared all over my shirt, "I'm fine, it's just berries"

"Oh" He said taking some on his fingers and smelling it for reassurance I guess.

"We have to go. Jim has AJ and Howie! He is taking them back to the cabin"

"What?" Brian sat up still half asleep.

"I just saw them, he has them and they are going back to the cabin, we have to help them! Hurry!!" I knew if we waited much longer, we would never be able to find them again and it would be my fault.

"You said you saw them? Are they okay?"

"I think so Kevin but I didn't get to talk to them or anything, we just need to go and NOW!" Kevin and Brian stood up and together we all ran out of the cave. They had a hard time adjusting to the light just like I did. I pointed in the direction they went, "Come on, they have a good head start" I started running.

"Nick! Wait up" I heard them yell behind me, but I couldn't lose my concentration. I nodded to AJ, assuring him we would help. I couldn't let them down now. Even if he was mean to me all the time. I don't really know where I found all this extra energy since I was achy and starving half to death. I guess the guys really meant that much to me. It didn't take long for both Brian and Kevin to catch up and all three of us kind of half sprinted along the woods careful not to trip and fall along the way.

"They couldn't have gotten that far ahead of us" Brian said taking a little breather. He was slightly bent holding his hands on his knees. Kevin stood looking all around him with his hand over his eyes to shield the glare of the ever brightening sun. Me? Well, I was growing impatient with them both. All I wanted to do was keep moving. We were losing them and stopping wasn't going to help any.

"Come on! We have to go!" I said urgently.

"Nicky, we will do them no good if we are too exhausted to fight" That's right, duh! We didn't even think about what we were going to do when we found the guys. "Maybe our best bet would be to just go back to the cabin and catch them there" It sounded like a good idea but there was no way in hell I was ever going near that place again. Sure in a moment of total weakness yesterday, I thought about giving up and going back but not now. We go to the cabin, we are back where we started from.

"I think our best bet is to get them BEFORE they get to the cabin. Besides, would we even be able to find it?"

"Yes"

"You know where the cabin is Bri?" Kevin turned his attention to his young cousin who nodded.

"We actually aren't that far away from it now"

"But that's impossible, I mean Kevin and I were walking forever. I thought we had gotten so far away"

"Nope, I would say we are about five miles away from the cabin" five miles seemed far enough for me. But then again, I wasn't a hiking boy.

"Still I think.." And then I was interrupted, ah just like always. Glad to see some things didn't change.

"I think we go back to the cabin and ambush Jim" Kevin said smiling.

"But.." I tried again, this time it was Brian's turn

"Yes! Great idea, we could maybe wait right outside the cabin and when Jim comes we can hit him or something" They high fived. I rolled my eyes. Did I have to do everything around here?

"Um..what about Jeremy?" I asked rasing my eyebrows and crossing my arms. They both looked over at me with questioning eyes. Yes finally I had the floor. "You think Jeremy won't hear the noise and come out with a gun?"

"Well, let's keep walking up that way anyway, maybe we'll find them before they hit the cabin" Brian started walking and when he got to me he pat my head, "Good thinking Tonto"

"Tonto? What's a Tonto?" They both laughed.

Luckily, we didn't have to wait that much longer because about a half mile later, we heard the unmistakable sound of AJ yelling. By instinct, Kevin made Brian and I stand behind him as we all tip toed closer to where they were resting.

"Wait here!" He whispered to us both as he belly crawled ahead. Brian and I sat quietly Indian style with our heads bowed down.

"I thought you were in a rush to get back to the cabin" Jim said standing there gnawing on some berries. Howie was sitting and rubbing at his feet while AJ yawned scratching his really dirty neck.

"I was, but poor Howie's feet were killing him."

"Jeremy is going to think we died out here"

"So? Let him"

"But if he thinks that he might get all mad and hurt your friends, now we wouldn't want that to happen would we?"

"Oh please! It's not like they're even there anyway" Howie shot AJ a look of death, but the words were out before he could stop. Jim sprang up, "What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing"

"No, why did you say that?"

"Damn AJ and his big mouth!" I whispered to Brian.

"I just doubt you guys even caught them"

It was a good attempt at recovery, but unfortunately, the damage was done. Jim was now looking around furiously. "Come on, we have to get moving again" He pulled Howie to his feet. "Alright, I'm going I'm going" He walked a little farther then stopped when he heard leaves crunch very close to him. He turned to see Kevin there. Before he could react, Kevin sucker punched him and he went sailing to the ground.

"MOVE!" He yelled at both Howie and AJ.

"Shit!" Kevin yelled under his breath. He had wanted to get the gun away from Jim by knocking him out. The punch only made him fall but didn't do what he had intended. Now Jim was bleeding and mad but still holding the gun.

Kevin, Howie and AJ were running at us at full speed, closely followed by Jim. Brian pulled me up and together we started to run while Kevin screamed, "GO! GO! GO!"

All four of them quickly passed me since my legs were so much smaller then theirs and I actually felt Jim's arms swishing for me as I ran slightly ahead of him.

"If you don't stop I'll shoot" He warned.

That made me pick up some speed. Kevin stopped to see where I was, and by the look on his face, I knew my position didn't please him much. "Nick duck!!!" He screamed as I heard the sound of a gun go off...
24 by Mare
24
(Here comes the last chapter. Hope you enjoyed the story)

I closed my eyes as my chin hit the rocky ground. The thing that was unexpected for me, was seeing Jim on the ground next to me with his hands over his head once my eyes opened. Another gunshot rang out. "Who the hell is shooting at us?" Ironically enough, Jim screamed. Kevin ran over to me and grabbed me halfway up not caring if I was fully to my feet or not, and began dragging me back to where the others were hiding, leaving Jim to fend for himself.

"What is going on?" I yelled back up to him as I tried to get to my feet.

"It's Jeremy"

"Oh" Of course it was, who else would it be and he was probably pissed as all hell at us. Once we were a safe enough distance away, Kevin stopped and made sure I wasn't dying "you okay?" I nodded. "Thank God" He said grabbing me in a hug.

"Uh, hate to break up the warm moment you guys are having but we need to run now!" AJ said pointing to the oncoming Jeremy as he aided Jim to his feet.

Jeremy aimed the gun at us once again, "What the hell are you doing? Stop shooting at them" Jim yelled. At least we now knew that Jim really had no intention of killing us. Yeah real sweet Carter.

"Where the heck do we go?" Brian asked from what seemed like a mile ahead of all of us. That boy could run like his pants were on fire. "Get back here now!!" Was heard coming from the distance as we were definitely out running both Jeremy and Jim now. Brian disappeared as he approached another huge incline, "Oh great don't fall this time Kev" I yelled up to him since I had once again managed to fall way behind the others.

One by one they managed to disappear from my view as they ran over the hill and down to the clearing below. I stopped for a second to catch my breath. "Tired?" I looked over at Jim, "How did you...where did you?"

"I'm sneaky" He said as he moved closer to me. I back stepped making sure I didn't fall over the edge and roll down the hill. Hoping that at some point someone would notice I wasn't right behind them again. "Come on Nick, what's say you and I have a little fun huh?"

"By fun I hope you mean play a game of Basketball or something" I took another step backwards feeling the pebbles give way under my feet as I went. He laughed, "Come on, remember back at the hotel?" Okay any minute now guys...

Jeremy caught up and was now standing directly behind Jim pointing the stupid gun at me. Isn't it wrong that I wasn't even scared of the gun anymore? It became more like a nuisance then anything else. I knew he wasn't going to shoot me. "I suppose one is better then none right?" Jeremy asked. He had a huge black and blue over half his face. And one of his eyes was partly swollen.

"Not really, but once they see he's gone, they'll come back...until then, how about you leave the two of us alone Jeremy" My eyes grew wide with fear when he said that and I finally decided it was time to panic. "KEVIN!!" I screamed at the absolute top of my lungs as I bolted for the hill, only to be stopped by Jeremy grabbing me and swinging me back over towards Jim. Damn I hated being so small.

"HELP!!" I screamed once again, starting to think that they had forgotten about me, the short, cute blonde one. Jim put his hand over my mouth, just like he did when he found me getting ice what felt like a small eternity ago. "Shut up kid and no one will get hurt" That being said he started walking with me towards the bushes. I struggled the whole way not knowing what to think, but also knowing that I didn't want to find out.

A thump, had Jim turn around, while still muffling my screams, to find Brian and Howie on top of Jeremy wrestling him to the ground. Jim turned and kept moving with me trying my hardest to pull away from him. "Not so fast" Kevin said cutting us off right before the bushes.

"Oh please, kid, move out of my way"

"Let him go" Kevin stood his ground, giving me a reassuring look.

"Fine" He said pushing me down to the ground yet again. I found the ground was my best friend since I joined the Backstreet Boys. Kevin flinched a little as Jim started towards him. "You know, I should have beat you senseless when I had the chance" Jim sneered as he took a few more steps towards Kevin.

"I don't think so. I made that mistake once before and it's not going to happen again. You come at me and I'll fight back"

Jim took that as a challenge and literally lunged at Kevin throwing him down to the ground. But this time it was Kevin who seemed to be winning the battle, quickly rolling on top of Jim and punching him repeatedly in the face, "How dare you hit him and then try to take us here in the middle of nowhere" He was saying in between punches. By now, AJ had run up next to me and the two of us watched the scene with horror and amusement.

It was nice to know Kevin was on our side.

"And then you have the friggin nerve to try to molest the kid? What the holy hell is your problem?" He said punching him again.

"Uh Kev man.. I think you need to get off of him"

"Stupid son of a bitch!" He continued to pummel him. AJ walked over and grabbed Kevin's arm before it could make contact with Jim's face again, Kevin almost turned his anger on AJ then, ready to punch. "Woah!" AJ screamed in a high pitched comical squeal. I immediately made a mental note to remember that one for future ribbings.

"Sorry J" He said grabbing AJ in a hug then looking over my way. "Are you okay lil man?" I nodded. He then turned his attention back to Jim who lay a bloody unconscious mess on the ground at his feet. "Wow, I did that?"

"Yeah you did" AJ said hesitantly.

"Where's Brian and Howie?" He pointed over to Jeremy and smiled when he saw his cousin and Howie sitting on the guy who didn't look very happy. Kevin walked over to Jeremy and grabbed his hair, "Oh no here comes round two" I whispered to AJ. "You are going to tell us how to get the hell back to the main road or you are going to end up looking like him!" Kevin said, forcing Jeremy to look over at Jim.

"Okay okay....fine" Kevin let go of his hair and listened intently as Jeremy explained to him exactly how to get us out of this hellish place. Then he had AJ and I search for anything we could find to tie him to a tree were we left him until we would be able to get the police here to get them. We also tied Jim up just to be safe.

"And this is for throwing ice on my feet" I said as I kicked Jim once in the side. AJ looked at me with raised eyebrows, "Badass" I cracked a smile. Right before we left, Kevin turned back towards Jeremy, "You better hope you have told us the right way or else you'll be stuck here for a pretty long time"

"I hope you kids get eaten by a bear" Was the last thing I heard him say as we traveled towards the road and closer to our freedom.

"Kevin you really kicked some major ass back there" Brian said putting his arm around his cousin.

"I had to, my brothers were in danger" He winked at us.

"Well, you know...I would have totally been able to take him down myself if you hadn't have come" They all looked at me grinning. "What? I could have"

"Yeah I'm sure you could have Nick"

"And I was the one that got us out of the cabin in the first place.."

"We know Nick"

"And I was also the one who helped YOU when you were dangling in mid air.."

"And your point is?"

"I saved the day. Me the short young kid saved all of you"

"Uh, I know this is going to be an Awful pun, I almost hate to say it but...Nick, we're not out of the woods yet buddy" That just made everyone crack up. Really crack up. Howie had that gift, to say something so simple and have everyone die laughing about it. When the laughter died down we all continued onward until we happily heard the sounds of cars speeding by.

"I can't believe all of this happened can you guys?"

"Not really Nicky. Seems surreal to me"

"What does that mean?" I asked Kevin as he pat my head and looked at the last huge hill separating us from the road.

"You'll learn soon enough" Brian said putting his arm around my shoulder. "I thought you guys were never gonna realize I was gone"

"Nick we knew, we just had to get up that hill without them knowing we knew. You were never in any danger. We would have never let him hurt you"

"I really thought you guys hated me" I said out of the blue having them all, even Kevin stop and look my way. "I mean, before this happened and all, I really felt like you hated to even be in the same room with me"

"We never hated you Nicky. Never"

"Speak for yourself D" AJ said coming over and putting me in a headlock. "You are just fun to pick on"

"I just want you guys to know that I really like all of you. I really do and you don't have to feel like you have to baby-sit me. I can take care of myself"

Kevin moved by AJ and pulled him off of me by tackling him to the ground then he squatted down so he was shorter then I was, "You shouldn't have to take care of yourself. That's what we all will do. Take care of each other, like how you took care of me back there" He placed his hand on my neck and pulled me into a hug.

As we climbed up that hill and finally got back to civilization, I felt so close to them. They were my brothers and I never really knew that until that whole weird fiasco happened. Of course, because Lou was such a great PR person, by the time we were back, our parents and the police had conveniently found out that we were gone. I don't know why we never ratted him out.

I don't know or don't really care about what happened to the crazy J's as AJ and I like to call them when the topic of our kidnapping comes up. Which hasn't been much over the years. We decided not to let the public know about it and big surprise that Lou thought that was a great idea. It was our little secret, our bonding point.

SO many times in our relationship, when it got so bad that we barely wanted to say two words to each other, I have actually thought about kidnapping us all back to that cabin. Just so we can once again realize how incredibly much we mean to each other. And for the record, I never did see a bear.


The End
*I hope you all enjoyed this story. It was a light and fun one to write. Thank you for letting me share it with you :)

Mare
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=593