Out Of Nowhere by Refuse
Summary: Sequel to Seven Days The Backstreet Boys are about to complete the last stop of their Black and Blue Tour: Orlando, Florida. The span of one year has passed by since their seven day adventure, have they overcome the effects? What will happen when their past returns for revenge? Now they may need each other more than ever...
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Action, Angst, Drama, Suspense
Warnings: Graphic Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 59452 Read: 24689 Published: 01/31/06 Updated: 01/31/06

1. Chapter 1 by Refuse

2. Chapter 2 by Refuse

3. Chapter 3 by Refuse

4. Chapter 4 by Refuse

5. Chapter 5 by Refuse

6. Chapter 6 by Refuse

7. Chapter 7 by Refuse

8. Chapter 8 by Refuse

9. Chapter 9 by Refuse

10. Chapter 10 by Refuse

11. Chapter 11 by Refuse

12. Epilogue by Refuse

Chapter 1 by Refuse
He couldn’t move.

Every time he tried, pain shot through his arm. He couldn’t move his arms or legs. Panic began to fill his mind.

It was dark. He still couldn’t move. His wide blue eyes roved around, searching for something... anything in the black void he found himself in. As his breathing turned panicked, some area of his mind told him he was tied to a chair. He could now feel the coarse ropes biting into his soft skin, his body stiff from the uncomfortable position, his hands tied behind the chair.

Fear replaced the panic as realization of where he was dawned. No. Not again... This can’t be happening again... His neck ached from the way he had slept through the night, but he still craned it around as the darkness began to recede and the remembered confines of the log cabin materialized.

Only this time... he was alone.

He was alone in the room. He didn’t want to believe it, they had escaped this place. He couldn’t be back here. The silence and emptiness was getting to him.

“Hello?” he croaked cautiously. “Is- is anyone here?”

“Why, hello,” came a cold and all too familiar voice.

“Y- you’re in jail,” he stammered to the female voice behind him, “This can’t be happening.”

He heard her laugh, “Oh, but it is. When we last met, my Jakey was playing the most entertaining game...”

He froze.

The woman now stood behind him, she continued, “I would so much enjoy a continuation of it since he was so rudely interrupted.”

He gasped and shut his eyes tight at the cold feel of a gun barrel on the sensitive skin of his right temple.

The woman smiled, “Wouldn’t you?”

Before he could even think of a reply, he heard a click and jumped. His breathing quickened as shock rolled through him, the woman’s laughter being heard as she pulled the trigger again.

click

He felt himself fading away, the fear and panic taking a toll on his weakened body. The laughter was now heard dimly, but the...

click

... was heard all too crisp and clear. Where are my friends? Why am I alone?...

click

... Oh, God! Please, make it stop!

click

“Well well,” mused the woman, smiling at the trembling form before her, “only one chamber left. Any last words?”

She didn’t give time for a reply before she pulled the trigger...



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Brian jerked awake, a scream escaping his lips as he fell from his bed and onto the cold, hard floor with a thud. Breathing hard, he looked wildly around, seeing only his familiar bedroom in the early morning’s gray light that seeped through the window.

No cabin. No insane woman. No gun.

Brian tried to relax his breathing, unconsciously bringing his hand up to massage his right temple. He realized what he was doing and jerked his hand away, staring at it. It was a dream. It was only a dream.

Brian raked his now shaking hand through his sweat soaked hair, his blue eyes blankly staring at the wall. I’ve never had a dream about that before. Why’s it all coming back to haunt me now? Almost a year after it happened?

A shrill buzzing jerked Brian from his thoughts so abruptly he cried out in surprise, still feeling the after effects of the dream. He calmed down when he realized it was his alarm clock, telling him it is time to get up and get ready. As he climbed to his feet and shut the alarm off, he tried to remember why he had to get up.

Oh, yeah. he remembered. Concert rehearsal.

The last concert of their US ‘Black & Blue’ tour. The finale was in Orlando, Florida, so the guys each had a home to stay in instead of some hotel. Tomorrow night was the concert, with rehearsals early today and tomorrow with appearances and interviews in between.

Brian forced his way into his bathroom, turning the water on for a shower. He looked at his reflection in the mirror and was taken aback. He could see apprehension and fear written in his own blue eyes staring back at him. He roughly rubbed a hand over his face, trying to wipe the feelings away. He pushed it all to the back of his mind, it was nothing. Just a dream.



~/~/~/~/~( at the stadium, just after finishing rehearsals )~~~~~



“Hey, Frick!” called Nick, rushing up to Brian’s side. “Did you know that Kev got a new car?”

“Nope,” replied Brian, grabbing a water bottle off one of the stage speakers. “What kind?”

Nick shrugged, running a hand through his sweaty hair, “Don’t know, he said it has all kinds of those high tech gadgets though. He showed me the key chain, its like a frickin’ remote for a TV! Must’a been ‘bout twenty buttons on the thing.” Nick swiped the water bottle from Brian, taking a drink, “He said he’d give us all a ride, wanna come?”

Brian smiled, “Sure,” then he grabbed the water bottle back and sprayed Nick in the face.

“Brian!” cried Nick, bringing a hand up, “Whad’ya do that for?!”

Brian shrugged, “Don’t know,” he said, just as Nick did earlier, then grinned, “I jus’ felt like doin’ it!”

“Well, next time resist the urge!” Nick then shoved Brian to the stage stairs, “C’mon, I wanna check out that car!”

Nick basically pushed Brian down the stairs, “Hey!” Brian cried, almost tripping on the last step, “I’m goin’ already, I’m goin’! Stop with the shovin’!”

“Well, get goin’ a little faster, Kev said he was leavin’ in five minutes. With or without us.”

“Jeez, all this excitement just so Kev can show off his new car?” asked Brian.

Nick just smiled, “Yep!”

Brian shook his head. “Man, we live non-stop lives!” the sarcasm was easily heard. Brian stopped and pretended to hold a microphone, “Today on ‘The Life Of A Backstreet Boy’, we see Kevin’s new car. Let’s sit in and watch this intriguing and exciting moment as it unfolds,” prattled Brian in a woman’s announcer voice.

Nick just laughed, “C’mon.” He grabbed Brian’s arm and pulled him to the back exit.



~/~/~/~/~( )~~~~~



Howie and AJ have already managed to get lost in the back hallways of the stadium. Howie turned to AJ, “Are you sure we were supposed to take that last right?”

AJ guffawed, “Absolutely!” AJ tapped a finger on his forehead, “A rock. That’s my memory. Solid as a rock, I know where we’re goin’.”

Howie raised an eyebrow, but chose to say nothing. They continued to walk... and walk. Howie saw a room that looked very familiar, “Uh, AJ? I think we’re goin’ in circles.”

AJ looked at Howie through his yellow tinted sunglasses, “No way! That’s only the fourth time I saw that room. They must have a bunch of those rooms all over this place.”

Howie stopped, “AJ, its the game room. They only have one.”

AJ stopped too, “Oh.”

Howie sighed in frustration, “We are supposed to meet Kevin in,” Howie looks at his watch, “five minutes, and we don’t even know where the hell we are! AJ, I thought you knew where you were goin’?!”

“Hey,” defended AJ, “so did I!”

“Oi!” cried Howie, “Sometimes I just don’t know about you, AJ.”

“Well, why don’t you find the way out then.”

“Fine, I will.”

Howie lead AJ on about as productive a walk as AJ did him. Howie was so intent on looking at the rooms and hallways around them, that he didn’t see the person coming from the other direction until he slammed into the person.

“Oomph!” Howie fell back to the floor with a grunt.

“‘D!” scolded AJ, “You should watch where yer goin’!”

AJ reached down to the person Howie knocked to the floor, “I’m sorry, my friend wasn’t payin’ attention. I-”

AJ broke off as the person abruptly moved away from his offered hand up. The person wore a maintenance suit and a baseball cap pulled low over the face. AJ and Howie heard a muffled voice say, “S’okay, I’m fine. No harm done.”

Then the person scrambled to their feet and quickly fled from the stunned Howie and AJ. AJ looked at Howie as he pulled him up, “What the hell was that?”

Howie shook his head, “No idea.” Howie stared for a moment, then he looked at AJ, “Um, ‘J?... Did you... Um, did that person seem familiar to you?”

AJ looked thoughtful, “Yeah, they did... I don’t like it either, ‘D.”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know, its just... I swear I heard that voice before,” AJ shivered, “I don’t like it.”

Howie nodded, “Me neither.”

“Hey! Are you guys comin’?!”

AJ and Howie turned to see Nick a ways down the hallway, pulling Brian along behind him. “Yo!” he yelled, smiling, “the exit’s over here!”

Then Nick and Brian disappeared around the corner. AJ looked at Howie, “How did he know we were lost?”

Howie shrugged, “Are we that obvious?”

“Well, c’mon. We better get going before Kev gets pissed.”



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



The guys are all walking to the parking lot, three of them looking bored out of their minds. Kevin was smiling as Nick fired question after question about his new car. Kevin didn’t give him any answers, just kept smiling.

“C’mon Kev!” whined Nick, walking backwards in front of Kevin, “Tell me somethin’!”

“All right!” laughed Kevin, relenting, “One of the things it has is an automatic start by remote. You can be 50 feet away and start your car.”

Nick’s face brightened while the others rolled their eyes, “Really? Cool, can I see the remote again?”

Kevin fished his key chain out of his pocket and tossed it to Nick, “Here, and turn around before you run into somethin’.”

Nick faced forward, not taking his eyes off of the remote as he studied it. He slowed his pace to walk beside Kevin and pointed to a button, “Is it this one?”

Kevin nodded, “Yep. Now give it back.”

Nick dodged Kevin’s reaching hand and ran ahead, “No way! Now I can find out which car it is!” Nick called as he scanned all the parked cars rowed in front of them.

“Nick! We aren’t close enough yet!” Kevin’s attention moved from Nick momentarily as his cell phone rang. He watched Nick walking ahead of them, absently acknowledging the caller.

“Hello?”

“Why Kevin! Its so refreshing to hear your voice again!”

Kevin nearly dropped the phone, his steps faltering. Brian, AJ, and Howie looked at him curiously. He glanced at them with wide eyes, but continued walking, his eyes now watching Nick who continued to scan the cars ahead of them.

“How-... Why-...”

“How am I able to call you? Why am I calling you?” Laughter. “Oh, I just wanted to say how much I miss you guys!”

“You’re in jail,” declared Kevin, as if to reassure himself. Brian, Howie, and AJ’s attention now fully resided on Kevin and his phone call.

“Am I?”

Kevin dimly heard Nick calling, asking if they were close enough yet. Kevin absently nodded his head, his eyes gazing off into space as his footsteps came to a stop. AJ, Brian, and Howie stopped too, concerned by Kevin’s weird behavior and the obviously disturbing phone call.

Brian reached a hand out and shook Kevin’s shoulder, bringing Kevin out of his daze, “You okay, Kev? Who’s on the phone?”

Kevin ignored him, anger making its way through his shock, “What do you mean?”

His question was ignored, “Such a nice car you have now, Kevin. A sports car, never thought you were the type. Bet its a blast to drive with that explosive engine under the hood. Nice color too, a flaming red. A real fireball, charged and ready to blow.” Laughter. “Don’t you agree, Kevin? You go and enjoy your joyride, its bound to go up with a bang from the moment you turn the key.”

The dial tone reverberated in Kevin’s ear, then his face drained of color as the meaning of her words sunk in. AJ glanced at Brian and Howie, “Kev?”

Kevin’s eyes came back in focus, Nick’s distant figure forming in his sharpening vision. His mind slowly registered Nick bringing his arm up with the remote. Kevin gasped, the cell phone falling from his fingers, then he broke into a run, “Nick! NO!”

Nick turned his head at the shout just as he pressed the auto-start button. The next thing he knew there was a deafening roar, a blinding light, and then a blast of heat and wind slammed into him with such force that he felt his feet leave the ground. He had the vague awareness of floating in mid air before he landed hard on the cold cement, he swore he actually heard his head crack when he hit.

Nick felt the cool, rough pavement against his face, his hands palm down on either side of his head. He grimaced, his fingers flexing, he half opened his eyes. He tried to push himself up, but his arms were weak and his head pounded, causing the ground to heave and lurch up at him. He groaned and decided to stay still. He closed his eyes, his mind soon clouding over and then turning black.

Kevin slowly moved his head, the awareness that he was lying on the ground soon reaching his muddled thoughts. He opened his eyes, blinking them until they focused. With a groan he pushed himself up, rolling around to his hands and knees. Turning his head up, he squinted and saw Brian, AJ, and Howie picking themselves up off the ground. Kevin ducked his head, closing his eyes as he tried to remember what happened. Air sucked through his teeth as the memory came back with a rush.

Kevin burst to his feet, nearly falling back down before catching his balance, “Nick!” Kevin spun around, his movements desperate, “Nick!” Then he stopped, seeing Nick’s prone form sprawled ten feet away. “Nick,” he choked, soon falling to his knees by Nick’s side.

Kevin hesitantly reached his shaking hands out, resting them on Nick’s shoulder’s. He let his breath out when he saw Nick’s back rising rhythmically as he breathed. The sound of crackling caused Kevin to look up, his eyes seeing the remains of his car. All that lingered was a blackened frame that was still ablaze in flames, other random parts were littered around him, some still burning. He turned back to Nick, leaning over him, “Nick... Nick, c’mon! ... God, this can’t be happening again... Nick, please wake up!”

Nick moaned, moving his head. “Yeah,” urged Kevin, “that’s it, Nicky. C’mon, wake up.”

Nick turned his head, resting his forehead on the cement, “Kev?” he croaked.

“Yeah, you okay? Can you get up?”

“Mm-hmm... jus’ give me a sec,” he mumbled, waiting for everything to stop spinning.

“Nick!” Brian called, he and the others running to Kevin’s and Nick’s forms. “Nick, you okay?”

“Yeah,” Nick strained out, pushing himself off the ground and managing to obtain a sitting position. He turned his head to his friends, “I’m fine.”

AJ kneeled before him, his brown eyes watching as Nick’s blue eyes tried to focus on him. AJ sighed, “Nicky, you are not fine. You’re bleedin’.”

Nick brought a hand up to his head, it coming away with blood on his fingertips. He simply wiped it on his pants and looked at Kevin, “What happened?”

Kevin smiled half-heartedly, “My car blew up.”

Even in his dazed state, Nick managed a ‘well, duh’ expression, “But why?”

Kevin didn’t know what to tell him or the others. Would they be able to handle it?... It doesn’t matter, they’ll find out sooner or later anyways. Kevin looked at each of his band mates, looking at Nick last. He cleared his throat, his eyes switching to stare at the burning remains of his car, “Sh- she blew it up... That woman, she’s back... She ain’t in jail, she blew my car up. Its starting all over again.”

Silence.

Nick looked ready to faint and AJ put a hand on his shoulder to steady him. Brian just stared at the burning car, the bright flames reflecting on his face and in his intense blue eyes. Howie raked his hands through his hair, locking them together behind his head. Disbelief was evident in his voice when he spoke, “She’s back? But... they arrested her, she’s in jail. She can’t be out... we can’t go through that again!”

Kevin ducked his head, “I know Howie, I know. But... it IS her again. That is who was on the phone, she called me. She practically told me she rigged my car to explode, ...” Kevin broke off as sirens sounded in the distance, steadily growing closer. Kevin stared into each set of stunned eyes, “We have to face the facts in front of us,” Kevin gestured to his destroyed car, “She’s back and she sure as HELL ain’t happy.”



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



A slim figure pushed away from the stadium wall, a smile visible under the shade of the baseball cap. The woman slipped the cell phone into her baggy maintenance suit pocket, never taking her pale blue eyes away from the burning car in the distance, or the five figures huddled across from it.

She laughed. You have no IDEA what’s in store for you, Backstreet Boys. That was a drop in the barrel compared to what I’m going to do. She narrowed her eyes, her smile falling into a scowl. Besides the fact that you ruined my game, you took away what I didn’t even know I had. And you each shall pay for it... And no one will stop me this time.

She turned and walked away as several police cars, lights flashing, tore into the parking lot and toward the five young men. Her smile returned, Now the fun begins all over again...
Chapter 2 by Refuse
The guys stayed where they were as several police cars surrounded them, a fire engine and ambulance not far behind. They watched in stunned silence as the once deserted parking lot filled with the chaotic scene of fire hoses and firefighters, police officers and EMTs. Several EMTs approached the guys and assessed them for injuries, soon surrounding an overwhelmed Nick, seeing to his head injury.

Nick began to panic and gazed pleadingly at his friends. Brian kneeled down beside him, talking to keep Nick distracted from the bustling atmosphere that now surrounded them. Nick stared at Brian as if he were his lifeline, seeing no one but his best friend at the moment. He couldn’t believe what was happening.


Kevin stood when a police officer approached them. The officer was tall with short black hair that was graying at the temples. He stopped before Kevin and reached a hand out, Kevin shook it as the officer introduced himself, “Police Chief O’Rielly. Wanna tell me what happened here?”

“Well, sir,” answered Kevin, nodding to his destroyed car, “Someone blew up my car.”

A smile formed on O’Rielly’s distinguished face, “I can see that, son. Any ideas why?”

Kevin looked down at the EMTs that still surrounded Nick, “Unfortunately, I have plenty.”

O’Rielly raised an eyebrow, “Really? Care to share them?”

Kevin launched into the whole story, telling O’Rielly everything. The kidnapping, their time in the wilderness of Alaska, the woman, how they managed to overpower their captors, and that the woman was arrested.

Kevin shook his head when he finished, raising a hand to massage his neck, “That was almost a year ago. Now, after all this time, we seem to be back to square one. That woman called me on my cell phone and hinted about my car exploding. I tried to warn Nick, but I was too late... I can’t believe this is starting all over again...”

O’Rielly nodded, understanding as it clicked in his mind, “You’re the Backstreet Boys. We knew of the woman’s escape-”

AJ cut O’Rielly off, having stood behind Kevin and heard the whole conversation, “You knew?! And you never told us?! How long has she been out?”

O’Rielly looked sternly at AJ for interrupting, “Eight months.”

Howie stepped up beside AJ, shocked, “Eight months? ... Eight months?! Why didn’t you tell us?!”

“We tried,” O’Rielly calmly voiced, ignoring AJ’s withering glare, “We couldn’t get a hold of you, you were on your tour.”

Kevin glared at O’Rielly with sharp green eyes, stepping forward, “Don’t give us any of that crap. You could of gotten through to us, this is something that doesn’t get pushed aside. You tried?” Kevin scoffed, his voice dropping, “You prob’ly tried a couple times and then dropped it! Just some boy band pop group! Right? Not worth the effort!” Kevin was disgusted. He had liked the police chief, thought he’d be able to make this whole situation go away.

Howie put a restraining hand on Kevin’s arm as he took another step toward O’Rielly, “Easy, Kev,” Howie warned, fighting wouldn’t get them anywhere.

Chief O’Rielly cleared his throat, “We’ll put officers on protective duty immediately. I’ll order several units to watch over you five and the stadium will now be heavily guarded. You don’t go anywhere without permission from a law officer and never alone.” O’Rielly paused, watching as EMTs escorted Nick to the ambulance, Brian following. “You will go to the hospital with your friend, a unit will accompany you. Once you are released from the hospital, you may go home, but a unit will be stationed outside each of your homes. We’ll keep an eye on the stadium.”

O’Rielly nodded to them and then turned away and walked back to the scene behind him. Kevin stood rigid, his hands in fists at his sides. He turned to Howie, “They knew. God-damn it, they knew!”

Howie could only nod his head, staring at the smoke ascending from the charred remains of the sports car as the streams of water dowsed the flames.

AJ’s glare remained on the back of Chief O’Rielly. AJ narrowed his eyes as he muttered, “Sure, NOW they get all serious about this crap. A mad woman escaping from prison, who had threatened us before being arrested, is no big deal. Not until she blows a car up and damn near kills us. Yeah, okay, THEN they get all protective!”

AJ felt eyes on him, he turned and was met with Howie and Kevin’s perplexed faces. “What?”

Kevin blinked, then shook his head, “Nothin’.” He turned to the ambulance, seeing Brian step in the back doors. Kevin felt his frustration ebb, wanting to get away from this setting of reminders. Kevin sighed, “C’mon, lets get out of here. Might as well do as O’Rielly said.”

AJ sneered at the mention of the officer, but followed Howie and Kevin to the ambulance. He stopped at the doors, seeing Brian perched on the side bench inside, gazing at Nick. AJ felt his ire at O’Rielly fade into concern at the sight of Nick. Nick was sitting up on the stretcher, his face pale as he stared back at Brian with imploring eyes as EMTs cleaned and bandaged his head wound.

AJ glanced at Kevin and Howie, seeing their worried expressions. Nick wasn’t handling this very well. AJ paused, None of us are.

Kevin grabbed an EMT’s arm, “How is he?”

The young man smiled at Kevin, his hazel eyes sincere as he said, “He’ll be fine. Took a lick, but its not serious. He might have one hell of a headache, but that’s about it. We’re takin’ him to the hospital to give him one last look see, make sure he don’t have a concussion.”

Kevin smiled, relieved, “You goin’ now?”

The EMT nodded, “Yeah.” He then looked over the three young men, “I take it you’ll all be comin’ along for the ride?” He received three ‘damn straight’ expressions. He smiled, waving them in, “C’mon, one of ya’s has to ride shot gun, though. Not enough room back here for all of ya.”

AJ shut the passenger door, then immediately craned around so he could see his friends. Brian switched to sit beside Nick on the stretcher, Kevin and Howie sat on the side bench facing Nick and Brian.

Nick sat, mute. This is not happening, this is NOT happening... With a sigh, Nick closed his eyes. God, not again. I can’t go through that again. Why can’t she leave us alone? Nick felt a secure arm wrap around his shoulders and opened his eyes to see Brian’s supportive face. Brian smiled, squeezing Nick’s shoulder.

Nick felt himself unravel, “God, Bri’,” he whispered, “not again...” Nick laid his aching head on Brian’s shoulder, closing his eyes to shut out the concerned eyes staring at him.

Brian stared helplessly at Kevin and Howie’s saddened faces, not knowing what to tell Nick. He couldn’t very well say that everything was going to be okay, not when he didn’t know if that would be true. No... No, it WILL be okay. We WILL get through this... again.

Brian tightened his arm around Nick’s frame, fixing his eyes on Kevin and Howie in a decided stare, “We’ll get through this, Nick. I promise you, we will get through this, together. We did it before, we’ll do it again.”


~/~/~/~/~(at the hospital)~~~~~


AJ, Howie, and Kevin all sat in the waiting room, waiting for Nick and Brian. When they had arrived at the hospital, the EMTs tried to take Nick away but Nick wouldn’t go anywhere without Brian. They only allowed Brian back because Nick refused to let the doctors treat him unless Brian stayed. So, since Nick’s injury wasn’t that serious, they allowed Brian to stay with him.

Kevin kept staring up the hall where Nick and Brian had disappeared, waiting for their return. He saw the EMT he had talked to before walking towards them and stood to stop him.

He smiled when he saw Kevin, “Hey, still waiting on your friend?”

“Yeah, do you know what’s takin’ so long?” Kevin asked the young, brown haired man.

“Oh, yeah. The doctor decided he had to stitch his cut.” The young man smiled, “Don’t worry, he’s fine, no concussion. He’ll probably have a headache the rest of the day, though.”

Kevin relaxed in relief, the waiting had gotten him worried sick that something more serious was wrong, “Thanks, that’s a big relief. You’ve been a great help. My name’s Kevin.” Kevin reached out and shook the young man’s hand, “And that is AJ and Howie.” Kevin motioned behind him, Howie nodded while AJ saluted.

The young man smiled, “Nice to meet ya. My name is Alexander Gordon, but everyone calls me Alec.”

“Thanks again, Alec,” smiled Kevin.

“Sure, no problem,” Alec tilted his head, “I heard about why it happened, the car. I hope you guys get through it okay.”

Kevin’s smile slipped slightly, “Yeah, me too.”

“Well, I gotta get back to work. See ya!” Kevin nodded to him as he turned and walked away.

“Nick! Will ya stop messin’ with it!”

Kevin turned and AJ and Howie stood at Brian’s frustrated yell. They smiled in both amusement and relief when they saw Nick walking towards them along side Brian, Brian slapping Nick’s hand away every time he raised it to finger the white rectangle bandage above his left eye, which covered the distance from his hairline to slightly below his eyebrow.

“Leave it alone, Frack!” Brian again slapped Nick’s hand away.

Nick glared at Brian, “I can’t help it, it’s annoying. When I look around there’s this white blob at the top of my vision. It’s drivin’ me nuts!”

“Tough!” smiled Brian as they stopped in front of the others, “You’re jus’ gonna have to deal with it for a while.”

Nick’s lip turned up in a sneer, “I still don’t like it.” He mumbled, trying to push the gauze up further on his forehead, only to have his hand slapped away again, this time by Kevin.

“Nick, leave it alone,” The tone Kevin used was the one that Nick always seemed to listen to. Nick left the bandage alone.

Brian stared at Kevin in awe, “How do you DO that?!”

Kevin shrugged, smiling, “It’s a gift.”

AJ shook his head, “Can we get out of here now? I hate hospitals.”

“Yeah, lets go,” nodded Kevin, glancing at Nick. He seemed to have recovered from the news of that woman, atleast for now. Brian must have talked to him. Kevin thought, looking at his cousin who had a relieved smile on his face. Kevin sighed, addressing them all, “We have to ride with the police though, since we don’t have any vehicles here.”

“Hrummph!” AJ crossed his arms, still ticked at this whole situation, “That sounds like fun.”

Howie sighed, “Just deal with it, AJ. We all have to get used to it, cops are gonna be around us all the time now.”

AJ just groaned, then followed the others as they walked to the exit, where four police officers had been watching them and waiting for their departure.

As they walked passed them and out the doors into the early afternoon sun, AJ paused and faced one of the cops, his face serious and stance rigid. AJ looked into the officer’s eyes and brought his right arm up in a stiff salute. Then he turned and marched out the doors, a smirk turning the corners of his mouth as the officer glared after him. I might as well have some fun with this.

Kevin, having seen what AJ did, approached AJ as Nick and Brian got in one of the two police cars, “Must you, AJ?”

AJ smiled up at Kevin, “Yep!” AJ ducked into the police car with Brian and Nick, shutting the door before Kevin could comment.

Kevin sighed and shook his head, then walked over to where Howie leaned against the other police car, smirking. Howie opened his mouth to speak when Kevin stopped before him, but Kevin raised a hand, “I don’t want to even know what you’re gonna say. Let’s get outta here.”

Howie just smiled as Kevin opened the car door and slid in, slamming it shut. He nodded to the two cops approaching and went around to the other side, getting in the car.

Kevin and Howie were halfway home when Howie’s cell phone rang. He sighed and fished it out of his pocket, “Hello?”

“Mr. Dorough?” asked a familiar male voice.

“O’Rielly? Uh.. I mean, Chief O’Rielly?”

Kevin looked at Howie, curious. Howie held up a hand to his silent question.

“Yeah,” O’Rielly gruffly acknowledged, “Listen, after you guys left the media showed up and was firing all these questions about the car bomb. I called your management and they have arranged a press conference to stem all the speculations about your situation. They said that not all of you are needed, said Kevin was enough, but his cell phone isn’t answering.”

“Just a second,” Howie put his hand over the the phone, “Kev, where’s your phone?”

Kevin looked confused for a second, then he remembered and answered slightly sheepish, “Lying on the parking lot pavement, busted to pieces.”

Howie smirked and removed his hand from the phone, “Kev’s phone had a little accident.”

“He there?” asked O’Rielly.

“Yeah.”

“Put him on,” O’Rielly ordered. Howie frowned at being ordered, but handed Kevin the phone.

”Yeah?” greeted Kevin not so nicely.

O’Rielly ignored it, “You have a press conference in twenty minutes.”

“What?!”

“The press was gettin’ anxious, your management thought it would be the best way to satisfy them.”

Kevin sighed, “Where?”

“Outside of the stadium, front entrance.”

Kevin glanced at Howie, “Howie’s gonna have ta come with me, we’re sharing the ride.”

“That’s fine, just get here.” O’Rielly hung up.

Kevin gave Howie back his phone, then leaned forward and tapped the partition between them and the cops in front. One turned, “Yeah?”

“Change of plans. We’re headed back to the stadium, front entrance. We gotta do a press conference.” The officers nodded, acknowledging the information.

When Kevin leaned back, Howie gestured to his phone, “I better tell the others.”

Kevin nodded, leaning his head back with a sigh. He listened to Howie’s conversation, smiling slightly as Howie’s voice raised in insult.

“AJ! Your mouth sure has been flapping lately! You gotta learn when to shut up!”

There was a short pause as Howie listened, Kevin watched from the corner of his eye as Howie rolled his eyes at something AJ said, “Yeah... Uh-huh... Sure, AJ. Whatever you say. Bye.”

Howie threw the phone down on the seat, glaring down at it, “I swear, that AJ... He just doesn’t know when to stop!”

Kevin chuckled slightly, turning his head sideways to look at Howie, “He wouldn’t be AJ if he did.”

Howie paused, looking at Kevin. He smiled, “True, very true.”

“Let me guess,” smiled Kevin, “He was gloatin’ at how they didn’t have to go to the press conference.”

Howie nodded, “Lucky shits.”

One of the cops turned to face them, “We’re just about there.”

“Okay, thanks,” said Kevin. He looked back at Howie, “Might as well make this as quick as possible.”


~/~/~/~/~(with AJ, Nick, and Brian)~~~~~


“Oh, c’mon!” cried AJ, his face doe eyed and staring at the officers seated in the front of the car. “Just once! Puh-leez?!”

The passenger cop sighed loudly and turned to face AJ, seeing the other two huddled behind him snickering. “No.”

“Why not?”

“Because.”

“Because why?”

“Because I said so!”

AJ smiled coyly, “I’m warnin’ ya, I’ll resort to annoying torture...”

The cop raised an eyebrow, “I think I can handle it.”

“All right,” grinned AJ, “You asked for it!”

AJ leaned back in the seat between Nick and Brian, crossing his arms and clearing his throat. He took a deep breath and launched into song, his voice twisted in an annoying tone...


“I, Henry the eighth I am!
Henry the eighth I am, I am!
I got married to the widow next door!
She’s been married seven times before!
And everyone was a Henry!
Henry!
Wouldn’t have a Willie or a Sam!
No sir!
I’m her eighth old man, I’m Henry!
Henry the eighth I am, I am!
Henry the eighth I am!
Second verse, same as the first!
I, Henry the eighth I am!
Henry the eighth I am, I am!
I got married...”


Nick and Brian sat smiling, avoiding the officer’s glare by gazing out of their windows. Nick had to bite his lip to keep in the laugh that desperately wanted release. The officer looked back at AJ, who waggled his eyebrows at him as he continued singing. By the fifteenth repeat, the cops have had enough.

“All right! We’ll do it! Just SHUT UP!”

AJ shut up, his eyes twinkling as they gazed innocently back at the frazzled cop. He smiled, “I’m waiting...”

The officer faced forward, he looked at his partner, “Just do it and get it over with, Joe.”

Joe nodded and reached forward, flipping the switch.

The police car continued on through the streets of Orlando, now with lights flashing and siren wailing.


~/~/~/~/~(at the press conference)~~~~~


Kevin ran a frustrated hand through his hair as he looked down at the throng of reporters below him. He glanced at Howie behind him, who gave a sympathetic smile. Kevin sent a glare to O’Rielly standing beside him, who merely gazed calmly back at Kevin. With a sigh, Kevin leaned heavily on the podium before straightening and addressing the crowd once more.

“Just a few more questions, then we’re going home for the day,” announced Kevin, desperately wanting escape.

A young red headed reporter threw her hand up, as well as a question, “Do you have any idea as to the identity of the woman?”

“No,” answered Kevin simply, “Next question.”

A dark haired man in a sharp business suit spoke, “Will you continue as planned to perform your last concert tomorrow night?”

“Absolutely,” declared Kevin without hesitation, “We will not be intimidated and run from our lives. We’ll perform as scheduled, for the fans as well as ourselves.”

Kevin shifted his feet, “One last question, then we leave.”

“How does this make you feel?”

Kevin froze, as well as Howie who suddenly stood at Kevin’s side. Kevin’s eyes roved over the crowd below almost frantically, “Who said that?”

“I did,” came a calm female voice, “Are you afraid? Do you feel as if you no longer have control?”

Howie and Kevin searched the crowd, which was now looking around in search of the woman also. Then a woman was suddenly directly below Kevin and Howie, she looked up at them and spoke again, “Well, you should be afraid because I’m the one that is now in control of you.”

Kevin and Howie’s heads snapped down at her voice, shock widening their eyes and dropping their mouths. Howie started to softly stutter to Kevin, not taking his eyes off the woman, “K- K- Kev? ... Th- that’s- that’s...”

Kevin only nodded his head as Howie trailed off, “That’s HER.”

O’Rielly became alert at their utterances, his sharp eyes snapping to the woman below him. She was fairly tall and slim in body, a black business suit and skirt adorned her frame, her complexion pale with blood red lips, her hair a platinum blond cut short around her ears and wisping around her face, her eyes... the iciest shade of blue he had ever seen and just as cold was their gaze. O’Rielly found himself shivering in their chilling stare. Shaking it off, he signaled to his men to start to surround her, to box her in.

The woman gave O’Rielly a bright smile before turning back to Kevin and Howie, “I want you to remember one thing if nothing else, I am in control. You are once again mine. What happens from here on is my choice, never yours.” Her eyes became whimsical as visions of things to come materialized before her, “My choices will rule over your lives, as my choices ARE your lives.”

She smiled and blew Howie and Kevin a kiss while backing away and into the crowd, disappearing. Kevin and Howie barely acknowledged O’Rielly’s terse commands into his radio.

“Damn it!” he suddenly cursed, snapping Howie and Kevin out of their daze, “What the hell do you mean you lost her?! She was right there for God’s sake!”

O’Rielly growled, “Search the area, don’t leave a God-damned cigarette butt unturned, got me?!”

A mild ‘yes sir’ was the only response as O’Rielly angrily clamped the radio back on his belt.

Kevin crossed his arms and glared at the Police Chief, “Real good security, O’Rielly.” Kevin put an insulting twist to the name. Then Kevin grabbed Howie’s arm and turned him around, “C’mon, ‘D. Lets get out of here.” As they walked off the temporary stage, Kevin called back to O’Rielly, “We’re takin’ Howie’s car. We ain’t going to have you cops chauffeur us all over town all the time.”

O’Rielly just nodded, his eyes looking over the dispersing crowd. He turned to an officer behind him, “Get after ‘em. Watch their houses too, no tellin’ what this maniac will do.”

The officer nodded and jogged down the stage stairs after Kevin and Howie, only to be grabbed with a hand over his mouth and around his waist as his foot hit the last step. His muffled shouts voiced his protest as a black clad man dragged him under the platform, Kevin’s and Howie’s figures continuing to the parking lot, oblivious.


~/~/~/~/~(with Brian, AJ, and Nick)~~~~~


The police car was almost at AJ’s house, much to the relief of the two extremely annoyed cops. AJ still sat between Nick and Brian, still grinning his head off at the officer that kept sending him glares by way of the rear view mirror. AJ winked at him, the cop took the next corner rather abruptly. AJ flew into Brian.

“AJ!” he cried, pushing AJ back, “Give it a rest already! I want to survive the ride home!”

Nick looked back and forth between the two, barely suppressing his laughter. AJ shrugged at Brian, “I’m just makin’ the best of this.”

“Best of this?” questioned Brian, “By drivin’ the people that are supposed to protect us crazy?”

AJ thought a moment, then nodded his head, “Yep!”

The car came to a stop behind another police car, the passenger cop got out of the car and opened the back door on Brian’s side. “You’re home, now get out!”

AJ just smiled and crawled over Brian and got out, standing before the cop and saluting yet again. The cop shook his head, “Just get in your house and stay there until tomorrow. Those officers will be outside of your home all night. “ He nodded to the other cop car and the two figures inside.

“Yeah, okay,” acknowledged AJ, then he looked in at Brian and Nick when Brian called his name. “Yeah?”

“Just wanted you to know that Nick is stayin’ at my house during this,” voiced Brian.

AJ frowned and looked at Nick, who suddenly found his fingernails very interesting. “Kev know?” he asked, turning his eyes back to Brian.

“No, not yet.”

AJ nodded, “I’ll call him so you don’t have to use your cell. Well, I guess I’ll see you guys later.” AJ suddenly felt awkward, realizing that there was now a chance that they might not. AJ shook his head, Can’t start thinkin’ like that.

“Yeah,” replied Brian, his voice distracted sounding, as if he were thinking the same as AJ. Brian locked eyes with AJ, “You take care of yourself, you hear?”

AJ smiled and tried to lighten the mood, “Yes, mother.”

Brian stayed serious, “I mean it, Bone.”

“Yeah, I know, Bri’,” nodded AJ, “Well, you guys better get going. I’ll see you later.”

Brian sat back in the seat, “Yeah, see ya, AJ.”

Nick finally spoke, just as Brian reached to close the door. “ ‘Bye, AJ,” he said, not looking up from his hands.

AJ frowned again at Nick’s voice, it sounded nervous, “ ‘Bye, kid.”

Brian shut the door after a wave and as soon as the other cop shut his door, the car pulled away. AJ stood on the sidewalk for a few minutes, watching the car disappear, before turning and walking up to his house and in the door.

AJ’s mood brightened as he threw his keys on the table by the door, taking a deep breath as he looked around his home. A smile parted his lips as he suddenly raced upstairs. He slid to a stop before a plain door. Still smiling, AJ swung the door open to reveal a huge room filled with trees, dirt, water, bushes, flowers and a skylight which bathed the room in a sunny glow. It looked like a miniature forest.

AJ took a deep breath and voiced his best Ricky Ricardo impression, “Squeaker! I’m Home!”

AJ waited... and waited. His expectant smile faltered and soon turned into a frown. AJ began to look around the make-shift forest, “Squeaker?”

AJ felt a sinking sensation steadily filling his gut, Squeaker would always jump out to greet him. Something wasn’t right. “Squeaker!” AJ’s search begins to take on a frantic pace as he pushes branches and leaves aside. He goes to the center of the room, where a familiar backpack hangs from a tree. It was where Squeaker slept, a somewhat painful reminder for AJ but a comfort to Squeaker. He pulled it open and gazed hopefully inside.

Nothing.

That is, except for a plain white envelope. AJ’s eyes narrowed as he reached in and pulled out the envelope, plain except for a scrawled AJ on one side. With one smooth motion, AJ tore it open and pulled a letter out. His brown eyes quickly scanning the short message:


AJ.
I thought your wonderful squirrel needed a change of scenery, so I have
taken him to my humble abode. Please, do not worry. I intend to
return him... eventually. In what state, I can’t quite discern.
Well, have a nice day!


AJ’s hand crumpled the paper in his hand as his lips set in a firm line. “Damn it!” AJ kicked his foot hard against the tree trunk, spinning around and stalking out of the room. He muttered to himself angrily, all the way downstairs and to the cordless phone. He snatched it up and dialed Kevin’s number, stuffing the crumpled letter into his pocket. His brow furrowed at the three tone beep that preceded the shrill recording informing him the number is no longer in service.

AJ stared at the phone, “What the-”

AJ cut the call off, dialing Howie’s number instead. It rang. AJ paced his living room as he waited for Howie to pick up.


~/~/~/~/~(back with Howie and Kevin)~~~~~


Howie unlocked his purple corvette, looking across at Kevin, “I can’t believe she was right there!”

Kevin rested his arms on the car roof, “And that damn O’Rielly didn’t do a damn thing.”

Howie shook his head in wonder as he opened the door and slid behind the steering wheel, shutting the door and looking back at Kevin as he got in, “She is insane. Why is she so obsessed with going after us?”

Kevin shrugged as he fastened his seat belt, “Who knows. I think her motive has changed from the last time, though. She’s being even more discreet and at the same time obvious. It’s like it’s become... personal.”

Howie glanced up after clicking his seat belt in place, “Well, we did get her arrested.”

“I know,” retorted Kevin, switching his gaze out the window as Howie started the ‘vette and pulled out of the spot, “But its more than that. I can tell.”

“Well,” voiced Howie, pulling out of the stadium parking lot and onto the street, “All in all, it doesn’t matter what is behind her actions. She’s trying to kill us.”

Kevin leaned his head back, “She isn’t trying, she’s playing.” Kevin turned to face Howie, “She didn’t have to warn us about the car bomb. She didn’t want us dead yet.”

“But what-” Howie was cut off by his phone ringing. He sighed and answered it with an annoyed, “What?”

“Howie!”

Howie sat up straighter as he stopped at the red light, “AJ?”

“Howie, she took him!”

Howie glanced at Kevin, “Took who?”

“Squeaker! She kid- um... squirrel-napped Squeaker!” AJ raked a hand through his hair, still pacing.

“The woman? She took Squeaker?” Howie was shocked, looking at Kevin he saw the same. “Why?”

“I don’t know!” cried AJ, “Besides that, what’s really freaky is that there is NO forced entry. She or one of her flunkies, was in my home and I couldn’t even tell! She’s way too good, ‘D.”

Howie shook his head as the light turned green, “Maybe we should stay together. If she can get that close...”

“Well, Nick and Brian are together. I told them I’d tell Kevin, but his number’s haywire.”

Howie took a right, “Kevin’s right here, his phone was busted. So, Nick and Brian are together? Maybe we should all go to where they are. Brian’s or Nick’s?”

“Brian’s. Listen ‘D, what are we gonna do. I mean, the cops are involved and it changes nothing! She can still get at us.”

“I don’t kno-”

A crash and the ‘vette suddenly wanting to pull left cut Howie off, “What the hell?!”

Kevin gripped the door and craned his head around to look behind them as Howie straightened the car out.

“Shit.”

Howie glanced at Kevin at his short curse, AJ’s voice hollering in his ear.

“ ‘D! Hey! What’s goin’ on?! What happened? I heard a crash.”

Kevin faced forward and gripped the dash, “We got a black Dodge Ram behind us and it’s coming up for another hit.”

“Shit,” swore Howie, handing Kevin the phone and gripping both hands on the wheel. The ‘vette lurched as the Ram slammed into the back end. Howie’s hands sawed back and forth to keep the car straight. Howie slammed on the gas, pulling away from the Ram.

Kevin talked to AJ, “Listen AJ, we’re kinda busy right now. You pack up and go to where ever Nick and Brian are and we’ll meet you later.”

“No way! You tell me what’s goin’ on!”

“Fine! A huge ass pick-up is ramming the hell out of Howie’s car. Happy?” Kevin tightened his grip on the dash as the Ram caught up to them and began to pull up along side of them.

“What?! Hell no I ain’t happy! Are you gonna be all right? Where the hell are the cops?”

“I don’t know, AJ. They ain’t here. Listen, I’ll call you back when we get out of this. Go to Nick and Brian, take your cell with you. We’ll be there, I promise.”

Kevin cut the call before AJ could comment, not answering when it immediately began to ring. Kevin glanced at Howie, who was fiercely gripping the steering wheel and staring straight ahead.

Kevin watched the Ram, “ ‘D?”

Howie never took his eyes off the road, “Yeah?”

“Don’t make me break my promise.”

Howie flexed his fingers on the wheel, “I won’t, Kev... I hope.”

The Ram now speeds along side the purple corvette, Howie glanced at it and saw it move away suddenly. Howie’s eyes widened, “Hold on, Kev!”

The Ram suddenly veered back at them and slammed into the driver’s side, causing Howie to struggle as the back end fish tailed. Kevin’s face turned white, “Christ, Howie! We got to do somethin’!”

Howie got the car under control, “I’m open to suggestions...”

“Hit him back?”

Howie looked at Kevin briefly, then shrugged, “Worth a try.”

Howie took a deep breath and then jerked the steering wheel hard to the left, slamming into the Ram. The Ram bounced away, its left side wheels riding up on the sidewalk before returning to the road. The ‘vette pulled away a few car lengths.

“Ha!” cried Howie, “Take that, you dirty basterd!”

Howie scanned ahead at the deserted street, “We gotta get rid of them.”

Kevin looked at him and raised an eyebrow, “How?”

The back window suddenly shattered, Howie and Kevin instinctively ducking. Kevin looked back at the shattered widow and the Ram twenty feet behind them, “Shit, Howie! They’re shooting at us!”

“God,” cried Howie, “I hope they don’t think to shoot out my tires.”

“Weave, Howie,” stated Kevin.

Howie looked at him, confused, “Huh?”

Kevin reached over and moved the steering wheel back and forth, “Weave, don’t give them a target.”

Howie weaved the car, hearing the gunshots echoing behind them. Kevin looked back and then at Howie, then ahead. The road ends up ahead, making the driver have to turn left or right. They couldn’t see this yet, but Kevin was familiar with this part of town. The dead end is blind because its on a decline, the bottom of a small hill.

“Howie,” Kevin stated calmly, “When I tell you to, slam on the brakes.”

Howie looked puzzled, “Why-”

“Just do it.”

Unsure, but trusting Kevin, Howie nodded. They came to the peak of the hill, just before it lowered and revealed the dead end, the Ram pulled up beside them again. Howie’s eyes widened when he saw the passenger of the Ram aiming a gun straight at him, Kevin also saw this. Kevin glanced ahead, “NOW, Howie!”

Kevin braced himself as Howie slammed on the brakes at the same time as a gunshot echoed from the Ram.
Chapter 3 by Refuse
Howie flinched as his window exploded, showering him with glass. He forced himself to keep his eyes open as the ‘vette’s tires screeched and screamed in protest of their sudden stop of movement, sliding across the paved street as if in slow motion. Howie felt the seat belt strain against his chest, thankfully preventing him from slamming head first through the windshield.

Hands still gripped to the steering wheel as they skidded, Howie watched as the Ram suddenly slammed on its brakes ahead of them and then veered into a skid as it turned in front of the ‘vette. Howie couldn’t believe it and barely managed to take action.

“Shit!” he screamed out as he wrenched the steering wheel to the right, the same direction the Ram suddenly took. The ‘vette responded in kind by swinging its back end around in a wide arc. Howie watched in shock as the Ram’s squealing mass became closer and closer as his ‘vette careened toward it, still in full swing of its arc.

Howie’s hands stayed welded to the wheel as his mind desperately, but futilely, tried to slow their rapid closing in of the struggling Ram. He watched with almost a detached feeling as the Ram’s spinning tires finally retained some grip on the smooth pavement, propelling the black Ram forward and out of the ‘vette’s path. The Ram squealed off, disappearing down the adjacent street. The ‘vette finished its arc of almost a full 180 in a weakening scream, the left rear tire just nudging the curb as the sports car jerked to a wobbly stop. All this happened in a matter of seconds, seconds that seemed an eternity to Howie.

Silence filled the deserted street where now a lone, battered purple corvette resided, facing the direction it just came from. Howie sat staring up the street, panting from both the fear and the adrenaline coursing through him. He remembered Kevin and strained out in a breathy voice, his eyes never straying from their stare, “Kev? You okay?”

He was answered by a groan and then a hoarse, “Yeah, in a matter of speaking.”

Hearing the pain in Kevin’s voice, Howie tore his gaze from the street. Kevin sat with eyes clenched shut, his right hand gripping his left forearm in a white knuckled grip. Howie then noticed the red liquid seeping from the furrows between Kevin’s fingers. In alarm, Howie pried his hands from where they still clamped the steering wheel, flexing his fingers in an attempt to regain some feeling.

“Kev? What’s wrong with your arm?” Howie asked while reaching forward, managing to pry Kevin’s hand loose to reveal the blood soaked sleeve. “Ah, shit,” Howie groaned, realizing what happened.

“They shot me,” informed Kevin, his voice matter-of-fact.

Howie grimaced. The bullet that shattered his window went wide to miss him, but managed to catch Kevin in one of the arms he had braced against the dash. Howie replaced Kevin’s hand with his own over the bleeding wound, his brown eyes looking up to scan their surroundings, “We gotta get you to the hospital. Where’s my cell?”

Kevin finally opened his eyes, “On the floor. It fell when we slammed on the brakes.” Kevin stopped, his green eyes focussing in on Howie’s face, “‘D, your face.”

Howie looked confused and brought his left hand up to his face, wincing when the contact sent a stinging pain across his nerves. He moved his hand in front of his eyes, seeing his fingers covered in red blood. He glanced in the rear view mirror and grimaced. Several gashes marred the left side of his face, bleeding freely, “It’s nothing, you need help.”

Kevin was about to disagree, but instead his words came out in a hoarse cry as a spike of pain suddenly shot up his arm. Howie winced in sympathy and reached down for his cell, picking it up and just beginning to dial when sirens suddenly filled the air.

As several police cars sailed over the small hill and screeched to a halt around the ‘vette, Howie threw Kevin a despairing look, “Better late than never, eh?”

Kevin huffed, pushing Howie’s hand off his arm and replacing it with his own again, “Hell, they’re doin’ a remarkable job at keeping us safe. It’s a wonder they haven’t been considered for an award!”

Howie stared at Kevin, seeing the pain in his eyes overrun by anger. Kevin was severely pissed. Howie almost felt sorry for O’Rielly as he watched the man in question get out of one of the vehicles and walk toward them. Almost.

Howie saw O’Rielly’s eyes widen at seeing them, then the police chief barked over his shoulder to his men, “Someone call an ambulance!”

No sooner than when the words left his mouth, did a whining ambulance fly over the hill and screech to a halt. Several EMTs scrambled out and headed to where Kevin was now stepping out of the battered corvette, Howie reflecting the same on the driver’s side.

Kevin shouldered the EMTs away and stalked up to O’Rielly. Kevin’s fierce green eyes bore into O’Rielly’s soft grays, their faces a mere inch apart, “Where the hell were you?!” Kevin fairly spat the words into O’Rielly’s face.

O’Rielly didn’t flinch as he explained, “When you first left, I sent a unit after you only to find my messenger bound and gagged under the stage. Then I received a phone call from Mr. McLean, who relayed that you were being attacked. I immediately gathered several units and followed the same route I knew you would take and this is where I stopped.” O’Rielly gestured around him, “I don’t know how the ambulance got here so fast.”

A passing EMT heard the last comment, “An AJ McLean called the hospital and told us to go toward the stadium until we heard police sirens, then we were to follow them.”

O’Rielly stared at the EMT as he turned away, then muttered under his breath, “Smart kid.”

Kevin didn’t lessen his glare, “You had better start doin’ a better job, O’Rielly.”

Then Kevin spun away and headed to the ambulance that Howie was already being escorted to. His eyes softened and he smiled at Howie and then he noticed who was escorting him. They all met at the ambulance back doors, “Hey, Alec.” Kevin greeted.

Alec shook his head, “I hope we don’t keep meeting like this.”

Howie grinned as he stepped up and into the ambulance, “You and me both, man.”

Alec helped Kevin in and then joined them, making Kevin and Howie sit on the stretcher, “You guys sure are havin’ some luck. Who’s car?”

Howie sighed, “Mine.”

Alec chuckled as the doors were shut and the ambulance started its trek to the ER, “Sorry to here that, it was a nice car.”

Howie’s eyes snapped to the boyish face smiling up at him, the hazel eyes twinkling in mirth, “Was? I’ll have you know that it still is my baby, even with a few dings in it.”

Kevin chuckled, realizing Alec was purposely diverting their attention from the chaos they just went through by poking fun at it. Kevin smirked at Howie, “A few dings, Howie? It looks as if someone took a sledge hammer to it!”

Howie frowned at Kevin, wincing when the action pulled at his cuts, “It’s still in one piece, that’s what matters.”

Kevin smiled, “All thanks to your drivin’. Jeez, Howie! Maybe you should forget the music business and pursue a career of drivin’ for NASCAR!”

Howie blushed, “Aw, it was nothin’. I just did my best.”

“Yeah, and ended up savin’ our asses!” Kevin forgot about his gunshot wound and slapped Howie on the knee, with his injured arm.

“AH! Son of a-” Kevin grasped his arm and clenched his teeth, cutting off his speech.

“Kev!” cried Howie, his eyes anxiously looking him over.

Alec shook his head, placing his hand on top of Kevin’s wound after removing Kevin’s hand, “Well, that was smart, Kevin.”

Kevin sent him a mock glare, “I know.”

Alec examined the gunshot wound, “Went clean through, its not too serious. I need to stop the bleeding though, and your gonna have to get some stitches, too.”

Alec turned to Howie, “I don’t think you’ll need stitches, those cuts aren’t that deep. Mainly superficial. Some butterfly clips should be enough, after they’re cleaned.”

Howie and Kevin both groaned aloud at the procedures to come. Alec eventually stopped the bleeding of Kevin’s arm and placed a temporary bandage over the two wounds. Kevin and Howie soon felt the ambulance come to a stop. Looking out the back window, they read Emergency Room in bold letters above the hospital doors.

“Well,” said Alec as the ambulance doors were pulled open, “Let’s go.”



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



AJ hefted his bag over his shoulder as he slammed his car door shut, sending a glare at the police car that followed him before starting up the sidewalk to Brian’s door. Keeping one hand on his bag’s strap, AJ knocked on the door. Almost immediately it is swung open to reveal Brian’s worried face.

Brian motioned AJ in, “Any word?”

AJ shook his head, walking into the living room and chucking his bag next to the couch, “No, I haven’t heard from them yet.” AJ paused and looked around, “Where’s Nick?”

“Right here,” came Nick’s strained voice from behind AJ.

AJ turned and saw Nick walk into the room, looking like someone who’s dog just died. AJ sent a glance at Brian, who shrugged in answer to his silent question, running a hand tiredly through his hair before plopping down on his couch with a sigh. AJ remained standing as Nick sank into the cushions beside Brian, not raising his eyes.

Brian looked up at AJ, his blue eyes plagued with worry, “Do you think they’re okay?”

AJ sighed, crossing his arms and looking up at the ceiling, “I don’t know, Bri’. I did all I could think of. I called O’Rielly when Kevin didn’t answer my call, then I called the hospital for an ambulance. I don’t think they were that far from the stadium, so the cops should have gotten there pretty fast, but- ... I just don’t know. It sounded pretty bad over the phone, and that was over two hours ago.” AJ closed his eyes as his helplessness slowly transformed into anger.

Nick spoke, his voice unsure, “I thought the cops were supposed to always be watching us, where were they?”

AJ sneered, “Beats the hell out of me! Damn, O’Rielly. He couldn’t watch TV without screwing up!”

Brian stood and placed a calming hand on AJ’s shoulder, having seen the fury building behind the brown eyes, “Take it easy, AJ. We don’t know what happened.”

AJ shrugged Brian’s hand off, throwing him a glare, “All I know is I should of taken care of that woman when I had the chance!”

Brian took a step back, shocked. Nick’s head snapped up from his gaze of the floor, fixing AJ with horrorstruck eyes, he shook his head in disbelief of what he heard, “AJ, you-... you don’t mean that.”

“To hell I don’t!” yelled AJ with a wave of his arm, his furious eyes pinning Nick back with their intensity, “None of this would be happening if I had killed her!”

Brian was temporarily speechless. This wasn’t like AJ, it was more like AJ was blaming himself for this happening again, “AJ, listen, you know you wouldn’t of killed her. It’s not in you to do that.”

“I could have and would have, Brian,” hissed AJ, then his brown eyes sneered down at Nick, “If it weren’t for you, Nick. You are the reason she’s still alive, why she’s torturing us all over again.”

Nick’s mouth dropped, his eyes stricken. He moved unsteadily from his seat on the couch, standing and backing away as AJ stepped toward him. Nick shook his head, staring at AJ in disbelief, “No... AJ, we couldn’t kill her. It wasn’t right-”

“Bullshit, Nick!” yelled AJ, reaching out and shoving Nick in the shoulder, “It’s your fault!” AJ shut his eyes tight, his voice sounding self-incriminating as he turned away from Nick’s shocked form, “Damn it! It’s all your fault!”

“AJ!! What the hell do you think you’re doing?!?!”

Nick, AJ, and Brian turned to the voice, seeing a furious Kevin along side an angry, but confused, Howie. Kevin had a thick white bandage around his left fore arm, Howie had small white butterfly bandades over four red cuts on the left side of his face. Nick blinked, his eyes registering that Kevin and Howie were here, they were all right. Then AJ’s words echoed in his head and his breath quickened at the remembered malice behind them, tears quickly building in his blue eyes. He sent Brian a brief, anguished gaze, then he spun around and ran from the room and out the door into the late afternoon sun.

“Nick!” cried Brian, sending a glare at AJ before running after his best friend.

Kevin and Howie stared at AJ, furious at what he had just done. Kevin stalked up to AJ, “AJ, what were you thinkin’?!”

AJ stared at Kevin, then Howie, the anger soon melting away as he realized what he had done. AJ’s face suddenly twisted in anguish, then he collapsed onto the couch, hunching over with his head gripped in his hands. “Oh, God,” he groaned, his voice hitching, “What have I done?”

Kevin frowned, glancing at Howie. Kevin crouched down in front of AJ, placing a hand on his back as it jerked with sobs, “AJ?”

AJ turned his tear streaked face up towards Kevin, his eyes squinting in sadness and regret, “I didn’t mean it, Kev. God, I didn’t mean it... not to Nick.”

Howie came and sat down next to AJ, “AJ, its not your fault either.” AJ’s red rimmed eyes snapped to Howie, surprised.

Howie nodded, “You weren’t really yelling at Nick, were you, AJ. You were yelling at yourself, you think this is all your fault.”

AJ turned away, staring at his hands. Kevin exchanged glances with Howie, “AJ, it isn’t your fault. Hell, you have helped more than any of us so far.”

AJ looked up, confusion obvious in his eyes. Kevin nodded, “You called for the cops and an ambulance, AJ. They came right when we needed them, thanks to you.”

AJ still looked doubtful. Howie wrapped an arm around AJ’s shoulders, “C’mon, Bone. You are our friend, we’re all brothers. You could never be at fault for what has or will happen, okay?”

AJ half smiled, then frowned again, “But, Nick... I said-”

Kevin shook his head, “He’ll understand, AJ. We’ll talk to him. Hell, Brian knows you didn’t mean what you said, he’ll set Nick straight. Brian always can.”



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



Brian cursed his short legs, he never hated them as much as he did at this moment. He couldn’t gain any ground, Nick was just too fast. Brian could barely see Nick’s figure, running far ahead of him. Pushing himself harder, Brian took a moment to glance at his surroundings. He nearly stopped. They were atleast three blocks from his house and, go figure, the cops sitting outside of his house didn’t even see them run out. Course, he thought, We did kinda take a route through the trees.

Brian brought his mind back to the present when he saw Nick veer into the park. Brian mentally slapped himself, he should have known. Nick always liked to go and hang out at the park, usually around the large fountain that was surrounded by trees. He had said he liked the way that there was such a cool display of water and still there were trees so close around it, almost creating a secluded location. Nick had said it was a good place to go and think.

Brian assumed that would be Nick’s destination and he cut into the trees, taking a shortcut. As Brian weaves his way through the trees, he took time to analyze what had happened. AJ, plain and simple, had lost it. This ‘situation’ finally got to him. Brian could tell that he had been angry about it, but he had been directing his anger toward the police. Now he took it out on one of them, Nick. That was going over the line... and AJ knows it. God, thought Brian, he has to be beating himself up for what he said. I know he didn’t mean it, he was worried about Howie and Kev. He wasn’t blaming Nick, he was blaming himself. I could hear it in his voice. Christ, am I the only one that believes that none of this is anyone’s fault? We hav-

“Ooommph!” The air rushed out of Brian’s lungs as he slammed into something, falling back to the ground. Damn it, obviously I can’t think and run at the same time.

Brian looked up to apologize, knowing it was a person he had run into at having heard their cry of surprise as he fell back, but... no one was there. Brian picked himself up, looking around the shady darkness of the thick trees. There! Brian squinted, he had seen someone, running further into the trees. Now they were long gone. Brian shrugged and continued to the fountain, he had more important things to do than to wonder who that was and why they took off. He was close to the fountain now, anyway.

Reaching the edge of the trees, Brian stopped. Huh, Nick’s faster than I thought. There, sitting dejectedly on the rim of the stone fountain, was Nick. He was staring down into the water, one hand reaching down to caress the cold, clear liquid. Nick’s other hand rises briefly to push at his bandage, then he lets it fall back onto his lap in defeat. Something glints for a fraction of a second, the sunlight reflecting off of something. Brian furrowed his brow in confusion, then it relaxed in sad understanding as several more glints fell from Nick’s face. Nick was crying.

Taking a breath, Brian strode out of the shadows and toward Nick. Nick didn’t move as Brian came to a stop behind him, Brian didn’t think Nick even heard him. Brian smiled slightly, knowing what will happen as he opens his mouth.

“Hey, Frack.”

It was a simple phrase, spoke in a gentle and low tone, but Nick still jumped a mile in the air. He twisted around, revealing his tear streaked face. Nick relaxed when he saw Brian standing there, grinning.

“Jeez, Brian. Are you trying to kill me?” Nick tried to sound upbeat, but he knew he failed miserably.

Brian shook his head, “Nah, wouldn’t think of it.”

Brian had heard the underlying sadness in Nick’s voice, that and the smile Nick put on didn’t reach his eyes. The red rimmed blue orbs remained dull, empty. Brian sat down on the fountain’s stone rim beside Nick, turning to face him.

“You know he didn’t mean it, Nick.”

Nick wiped the back of his hand across his eyes, looking back down at the water instead of Brian, “Maybe he didn’t mean it, but he’s probably right.” Nick again ran his fingers through the cold water.

“Nick!” cried Brian, shaking his head, “Its not your fault. AJ was blaming himself, not you. It just came out that way.”

That made Nick pause and look up into Brian’s face, “He’s blaming himself? What does he have to be blamed for?”

Brian stared straight into Nick’s face, “The same as you,” Nick looked down. Brian continued, touching Nick’s shoulder, “Nothing.”

Nick’s hand stopped its motion through the water. Silence stretched between the two friends, the only sound being the soft, musical trickling of the fountain’s falling water. Nick stared hard into the clear water, watching the sun refract off the small waves made by the impacting water. Then watching the shadows of the surrounding trees dance in scattered patterns, moving with the breeze.

Brian waited patiently, knowing Nick was gradually accepting the truth. He smiled as Nick spoke in a whisper, not taking his eyes from the water, “Thanks, Bri’.”

“Hey, no problem, Nicky!” grinned Brian, causing Nick’s lips to turn into a smile as well, still looking at the water. Brian decided to lighten the mood, “C’mon, Frack! Let’s get back, I can’t wait to hear Howie and Kev’s story!”

Brian finished his last sentence with a splash of water at Nick’s face, “Brian!” Cried Nick, laughing while reeling back. “You are SO going to pay for that!” Nick cupped both hands in the water and sent a wave of water at Brian.

“Ack!” sputtered Brian, holding his arms away from his soaked body. His face scrunched up in a grimace, one eye squeezed shut while the other glared at the laughing Nick. His mouth is set in a firm line, rivulets of water cascading down his face from his wet bangs. “No fair! I didn’t get you that wet!”

Nick just grinned, “So?”

“Ohh..” ground Brian in mock anger, about to retaliate, but something in the shadows caught his eye. He stared into the trees, a look of suspicion changing his features.

Nick didn’t notice Brian’s sudden change of expression, still laughing. Brian reached a hand out to grab Nick’s shoulder while still staring out into the trees, “Stop a minute, Nick.”

Nick’s laughter fell away at Brian’s serious voice. He looked at Brian, then glanced nervously around, “What?”

“Shh!”

Silence.

Nick was about to ask Brian what was going on when a muffled crack carried through the air. Nick gasped as Brian suddenly let go of his arm, falling backwards with a cry of pain.

“Brian!” cried Nick, his eyes wide and flipping back and forth between Brian’s falling form and the trees. Nick reached out for Brian, but missed. Brian hit the cold water with a huge splash, sinking beneath the deep fountain liquid.

Not caring if the person who was in the trees did anything more, Nick leaned over the water ready to grab Brian and bring him back up. Nick’s hand froze just before diving into the water as his eyes registered the sight forming before them. Nick’s breath caught in his throat at the growing cloud of red in the clear water.

“Oh, God! Brian?!”
Chapter 4 by Refuse
“Brian?! ... NO!”

Nick wouldn’t believe what he was witnessing, refused to. Nick proceeded to thrust his arm into the fountain water, only to be thrown back as a large mass exploded up at him. Nick momentarily forgot how to breathe as the life was practically scared out of him. Gaining some control, Nick focused his eyes to see Brian hoisting himself onto the stone rim beside him, huffing and puffing, water matting his hair to his head and dripping from his body.

As Brian attained a sitting position, slumped over and still gasping for air, Nick could only see one thing. A huge stain of red on Brian’s chest, contrasting greatly with his light blue t-shirt which clung to his soaked frame. Nick couldn’t believe Brian was alive... the blood... he thought...

“B- Bri’?” managed Nick, his voice soft with disbelief, “Brian?”

Brian stretched his back, groaning, “God... What hit me?”

Brian looked over at Nick when he was answered with silence, Nick was just staring at him. He raised his eyebrows, “What?”

Nick blinked, trying to find words. He ended up just pointing a shaking hand at Brian’s chest. Brian seemed confused and looked down at his shirt. His eyes widened, “Holy-!”

Brian quickly brought a hand up to his chest, touching the red liquid almost hesitantly. Contact. No pain. Well, not much pain. Brian drew his hand away, bringing the red covered fingers up to his face. He sniffed, then grimaced. Brian stared at Nick, “Paint... It’s red paint.”

Nick continued to stare, not blinking. Brian then took in how pale Nick was, his face almost ashen and his eyes stricken. Oh, God... He thought I was dead... Brian reached forward and grabbed Nick’s shoulders, getting no reaction, “Nick!” Cried Brian, shaking Nick to try and rouse him, “Nick! C’mon, I’m okay! It was paint, okay? Paint. Not blood, I’m fine...”

Nick slowly blinked, his brows furrowing. Brian watched as his friend’s blue eyes came to focus on him, “Brian?... You’re okay?” Nick’s eyes now roved over Brian, trying to convince himself that his best friend was really all right.

Brian smiled, “Yeah, Frack, I’m okay. See?” Brian took Nick’s hand and made him touch the red paint on his shirt. Nick grimaced, but soon smiled at Brian.

Nick’s eyes fairly twinkled in happiness as the looked back at Brian’s face, “Thank God!” Nick cried, throwing his arms around Brian and hugging him with all he was worth, “You scared the shit out of me!... I thought you were dead, Brian...”

Brian returned the hug, rubbing a hand on Nick’s back, “I know, Nick. I know, but I’m okay.”

Nick finally let Brian go, leaning back to reveal tears again sliding down his face. He was smiling though, and that made all the difference, the immense relief flooding through his veins making everything look better. Nick then frowned when Brian suddenly chuckled, sending Nick an amused glance.

Nick quirked an eyebrow, “What?”

With a snicker, Brian pointed to Nick’s chest. Nick looked down to see his own shirt covered in red paint. Nick smiled, then snickered. He looked up at Brian and started to laugh in a strained manner. Brian joined him and soon they were gasping in hysterical laughter, laughter consumed with obvious relief.

Brian gasped, trying to catch his breath. Suddenly a dull pain throbbed in his chest and he stopped laughing, lightly pressing his hand against his chest with a grimace. Nick noticed immediately, fixing Brian with worried and scared eyes, “Brian, you okay? I thought you said you were all right.”

“I am,” winced Brian, looking back at Nick’s concerned face, “I think I just got a bruise. It don’t hurt much.”

Nick now looked confused as he replayed what had happened, “But... How did you get a bruise? Why did you fall into the fountain and where did the paint come from?”

Brian stared out into the trees, “I think... I think it was a... uh, what do you call it... a... a paint gun? You know, those guns that shoot paint balls instead of bullets. They use them in war games.”

Nick nodded thoughtfully, then looked to the trees nervously, “You think he’s still out there?”

“No,” answered Brian, “I don’t think so. This was just another of her games. Make it look like one of us is killed and watch the reaction.”

Nick was really starting to despise that woman, she made him think Brian was dead! Not cool. Oh, SO not cool. Nick looked at Brian again, a thought confusing him, “Those paint guns are supposed to be safe, aren’t they? That’s why they use them in those games.”

“With the right gear,” informed Brian, “They got padded suits when they play those games.” Brian rubbed his chest, “I didn’t exactly have the right attire. That might not of been a real bullet, but it sure as hell felt like one. The force of it knocked me back, then it took me a minute to realize that I was underwater.” Brian shook his head, “One second I’m sitting here, the next something slams into me and knocks me into the fountain.”

Nick shivered at the memory, “Let’s get back.”

Brian nodded, “Absolutely.”

Standing, Brian looks down at his soaked clothes, “Kevin ain’t goin’ to be happy.”

“Just Kevin?” smirked Nick, “AJ and Howie will probably corner you for the reason you walk in soaked to the bone and covered in red paint.”

“Yeah, well, let’s get out of here,” said Brian, wrapping his arms around his frame as a cool breeze sent a chill through him. “It’s getting late and getting colder.” Suddenly, Brian’s stomach growled. Nick smiled and Brian grinned sheepishly, “And it’s about time for dinner.”

Nick laughed and threw an arm around Brian’s shoulders, still reveling in the fact that Brian was alive. They turned and walked the way Nick had come, the path. Neither of them even spared another glance at the shadowed trees, afraid that something else would come forth from their depths.



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~


Howie sighed as Kevin stopped in his pacing to glance at Brian’s door, only to immediately resume his tireless worrying that would wear a hole in Brian’s carpet if someone didn’t stop him soon. Howie glanced to where AJ still sat on the couch, head in his hands. Of course, thought Howie, It would have to be me that is left with that grand task.

With another sigh, Howie addressed Kevin who still paced back and forth before him, “Kevin, will you stand still? You’re making me tired just watching you.”

Kevin spared Howie a quick glance, never breaking his tireless motion, “They’ve been gone too long. They shoulda been back by now.”

Howie shook his head, “Now you know Nick, he can be pretty set in his ways when he puts his mind to it. Brian probably just took a while to catch up to him, Nick’s pretty fast.”

Kevin just shook his head and muttered, “Too long.”

Howie fell back in his cushioned chair in exasperation as Kevin kept pacing. Why’d I even bother? They never listen anyway.

Around five minutes later, Kevin froze as the front door opened and Brian and Nick walked into the living room, laughing. Kevin clenched his fists as the duo hadn’t noticed any of them yet. Kevin felt a weight lift at seeing them, but then anger flashed in him at the remembrance of all the things he had pictured that might of happened to them as he waited and worried. They looked to be having a grand ole time.

“Where were you?” he ground out, his worry now anger.

They both stopped where they were, turning surprised faces up at Kevin. Nick stuttered, “Uh, we... Um, I... the park.. and... fountain... Brian fell... blood... I thought... and then we...”

Anger vanished as Kevin focused on one of the words spilling out of Nick’s mouth. Blood. Kevin now registered the dripping clothes, then the color of red that covered Brian and a fair bit of Nick, too. Kevin’s eyes widened, scared.

“Oh, jeez! Where are you hurt? Is it bad?” The questions gushed out of Kevin’s mouth as he rushed to them, his eyes scouring them for injury. Howie and AJ had stood at Nick’s and Brian’s entrance, stuck in shock as they took in what they thought was blood covering their friends, both wondering how they could still be standing.

Brian pushed his cousin’s searching hands away, “Kev! It’s all right, I’m fine. It ain’t blood, it’s paint. I’m not hurt.”

Kevin fixed Brian with a surprised gaze, “Paint? Where the hell did you get full of paint?”

Brian glanced at the still flustered Kevin, then to Nick, “Let us change, then we’ll tell you everything.”

Still stunned, Kevin just nodded. He turned and walked to the couch as they left the living room. Kevin blinked several times as he sank heavily into the soft couch beside AJ, who had just reclaimed the seat. He looked at Howie as he sat back in his chair.

Howie met his gaze, his eyes bewildered, “I thought... the paint...”

“We all did,” Kevin nodded.

They sat in silence until Nick and Brian returned several minutes later, garbed in fresh and dry clothes. They joined Kevin, Howie, and AJ in the living room. Brian knew he was going to be the one doing the talking, Nick was still a little shaky with it.

Kevin looked at them expectantly, “Well?”

Brian cleared his throat, “I didn’t catch up with Nick until he got to the park fountain. We talked, then I noticed somethin’ in the trees. The next thing I know somethin’ slams into my chest and throws me into the fountain. When I get out Nick is staring at me like I’m a ghost and pointing to my chest. That’s when I noticed the paint.” Brian looked at Kevin, “Someone shot me with a paint gun from the trees.”

Kevin, Howie, and AJ stared in shock.

“I thought he was dead,” toned Nick in a quiet voice.

“But I’m not,” added Brian quickly, “Listen, that woman did this. She’s playin’ with us.”

Kevin was furious, “That’s it. From now on, WE are protecting each other. To hell with the cops and O’Rielly, they haven’t done jack. We have to start piecing this together, we have to stop her before she tires of playin’ because when she does... Well, let’s just say it won’t be paint she’s shooting at us.”

They each sat and absorbed what Kevin said, silence stretching between them. Howie looked around, clearing his throat, “Well, I could go for some dinner. How about you guys?”

Brian perked up, “You read my mind! I say pizza!”

Kevin scowled, “Pizza? Couldn’t we have somethin’ more... wholesome?”

Brian sent Howie a brief, mischievous glance, “Sure we could, but all I got here is frozen pizza. There is a month old casserole in the ‘fridge if you want it, Kev.”

Kevin grimaced, “No thanks.”

Brian grinned, “Well, pizza it is!”

“Cheese?”

Brian gazed at Nick’s hopeful face, “You’re in luck, Frack. That’s the only kind I got!”

Nick smiled, getting up and starting to follow Brian, Kevin who was muttering under his breath, and Howie to the kitchen, but a hand on his arm stopped him. He looked down into AJ’s rueful eyes, he couldn’t help feeling bad for AJ.

“Nick... Listen, I want you to know...” AJ stopped, trying to find the right words, “I- I really hate myself for what I said, Nick. I didn’t mean it, I swear. None of this is your fault, I was just worried and angry. I don’t know why I singled you out, I- I’m sorry.”

Nick smiled down at AJ. For all the big macho images AJ put up, Nick knew that he really took things to heart. Nick reached down and pulled him up from the couch. He looked AJ square in the face as he spoke, “You’re forgiven.”

Then Nick turned AJ to the kitchen and gave him a little shove, “Now let’s go get some grub!”

Feeling a weight lift from his shoulders, AJ walked to the kitchen. He paused and glanced at Nick when the sound of pans clanging and the three missing group members’ arguing reached him. His face was doubtful, “Maybe one of us ought to go get some Mickey Dee’s.”

Nick laughed, “Now who are we to refuse Brian’s fine hospitality?”

AJ looked at the closed kitchen door at a loud crash soon followed by a curse, he looked back at Nick, “Smart?”

Nick chuckled and shook his head, “Sorry, Bone. If I suffer, you suffer.”

With slight hesitation, AJ followed Nick into the kitchen.

Kevin looked disgusted as he shut the refrigerator door, “Brian! The only thing you have in there is a six pack of Mountain Dew and a jar of pickles!”

Brian looked up from his crouch on the floor beside a pile of pots and pans, “So?” Brian then turned back to his cupboard and the search for the pizza pans.

Kevin looked shocked, slowly blinking and shaking his head, “So? Don’t you think food is a necessary item to have around your home?”

“Of course,” answered Brian, not removing his head from the depths of his floor cupboard as he continued his search for the elusive pizza pans.

Nick and AJ stood beside the door they had just walked through, both smirking at the look overcoming Kevin’s face. They didn’t think there was even a word to describe it.

“Bri-an!” Kevin cried, exasperated. Brian could really by trying sometimes, it also didn’t help that the person he was talking to was currently only showing his backside to the outside world.

“What?!” came the muffled reply from within the cupboard.

Kevin threw his arms out, rolling his eyes to the ceiling, “Oh, never mind!”

Nick and AJ couldn’t help it, they started laughing. Kevin sent them each a glare, turning away to search Brian’s upper cupboards for some edible food. AJ and Nick’s laughter was just starting to die away when Howie walked into the kitchen from the other entrance, his arms full of frozen pizzas.

“Okay, Bri’. Where do you want these?” he asked, trying to see around the pizzas covering his face.

His only answer was a “Found ‘em!” from within the cupboard. Howie continued into the room, “Huh?”

The following events will forever be etched in Nick’s and AJ’s minds. They watched as Howie suddenly lurched, his feet tangling in Brian’s pile of pots and pans. They watched as Howie fell with a surprised cry, his feet kicking at the pots and pans, making a huge racket.

“Son of a-” cried Howie as he fell, his arms throwing the frozen pizzas up in the air in abandon. Howie’d rather have his arms free to break his fall. Screw the pizzas.

Brian spooked at the sudden and loud clattering of the metal pots and pans, forgetting he was inside a cupboard and jerking his head up in surprise. Nick and AJ heard a loud thump and then a loud “Ow! Son of a-... God-damn it! That smarts!”

Then their eyes followed the pizzas’ airborne flight... straight at the startled Kevin. Kevin’s eyes widened at the projectiles sailing toward him, throwing his hands up with a “What the hell?!” and reeling back against the counter as several pizzas collided with his helpless form.

As the last pizza hit the floor the kitchen was filled with: a grumbling Howie slowly picking himself off the floor, a cursing Brian trying to extricate himself from his cupboard, a seething Kevin rubbing his soon-to-be bruises, and, of course, a hysterical Nick and AJ.

Nick clutched his middle, straining for air, “Oh... my... GOD!” Nick had to double over as his laughter started to overtake his form.

AJ was leaning against the wall for support, tears streaming down his face as he squinted at Nick’s gasping form. One of his arms held his stomach as his shoulders jerked with laughter. He managed to say some words to Nick’s struggling form, “Breathe... Nick!” hiccup “You... gotta breathe...” hiccup “man... breathe!” hiccup

AJ’s hiccups did Nick in and he collapsed to the floor in helpless giggles, rolling back and forth in absolute hysterics.

Brian heard the laughter and scowled, he couldn’t get out of the cupboard. Something was blocking his feet and he knew what that ‘something’ was.

“Howie! Get the hell out of my way!” Brian emphasized his words with a swift backwards kick.

“Ow! Damn it, Brian! I’m movin’, jeez!”

Brian finally backed out of the cupboard, but he wasn’t as far out as he thought and the thump was easily heard as his head contacted with the hard wood. “God-DAMN it!”

Howie smirked, “Ha! Serves ya right!”

AJ’s knees buckled and he joined Nick on the floor, hiccuping all the way.

Kevin scowled as he surveyed the chaotic scene before him, soon shaking his head as he proceeded to pick up the pizzas. This was gonna be a long night...



~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~



About six pizzas(not including the one that AJ dropped in the oven... or the two that were the nice shade of black because they got carried away in listening to Kevin and Howie tell about their car chase) later, and a lot of water and MD, the guys are all sprawled out in the living room. None of them could bare to move.

Brian groaned, “I haven’t pigged out like that since... since... Ah, hell! I don’t think I’ve ever pigged out like that before!”

“Well,” toned Kevin from his position in a recliner, “We haven’t really eaten anything all day and all you had here was pizza. What’d ya expect?”

Brian shrugged, “I don’t know. And hey, I haven’t had time to stock up the place since we got back from tour. I wasn’t exactly expecting all this company.”

Kevin nodded, understanding, “Why didn’t you jus’ say that?”

Brian’s gaze snapped to Kevin and he opened his mouth to speak, but Nick was faster.

“Are you kidding?!” cried Nick in a pretty good imitation of Brian, “And miss the chance to get on your nerves? Nevah!”

Brian and AJ smirked, while Kevin and Howie shook their heads. Nick never looked up from where he lay on the couch, his lithe body stretching its length, forcing AJ to sit on the floor as the other places of rest were occupied.

Brian chucked a balled up napkin at Nick, “You know me too well, Nicky.”

“Nick.”

Brian was confused, “Huh?”

“It’s Nick, not Nicky. You know I hate that.”

Brian rolled his eyes, “Okay. Whatever, Nick...”

“Thank you.”

Brian smirked, “...-ee.”

“Ha. Ha,” retorted Nick, waving his hand in the air and chucking the napkin back at Brian, “Funny.”

Brian smiled, “I thought so.”

Kevin smiled and ducked his head. He sobered when AJ’s serious voice filled the room.

“Well, Kev, you said we should start figuring this shit out.” AJ reached into his pocket and chucked a crumpled wad of paper at Kevin who neatly caught it, “That’s the note I found when I looked for Squeaker.”

Kevin straightened the note and quickly scanned it, passing it to Howie when he finished. As the note circulated between the others, Kevin addressed AJ, “You didn’t find anything else?”

“Nope,” answered AJ simply, shifting his position against the couch. He leaned his head back in frustration, only to have it shoved back up as it was Nick’s foot he had leaned it against. AJ sent Nick a mock glare, Nick returning it with wide, innocent eyes.

Howie shook his head, “I don’t know if there’s anything we can do about this, Aje. There’s nothin’ to go on.”

AJ frowned, “Well, there’s is somethin’.” AJ met the four sets of eyes that stared at him in askance, “She said she was gonna return him. She’s gonna do somethin’, I just know it.”

Kevin pursed his lips, “Well then, we’ll just have to keep our eyes open for when she does.”

“We should anyways,” added Brian, “I mean, look at what’s happened. It’s only been one day. We’ve been bombed, attacked by car, had a squirrel kidnapped, and been shot at. I’m seriously not liking the looks of tomorrow, or have you all forgotten that we have a concert tomorrow night?”

Brian heard the collective groans, they had forgotten. Kevin suddenly slapped a hand to his forehead. Brian smirked. Hey, it looked funny.

Kevin stared apologetically at his friends, “I forgot to tell you something. When Howie and I had that press conference... Well, she was there. Came right up to us and talked like she wasn’t aware of the cops surrounding her. Her hair was different, but otherwise she looked the same. She kept goin’ on about havin’ control of our lives and shit. Then she disappeared.”

AJ scowled, “So, basically, she’s as cocky as last time.”

Howie nodded, “Pretty much. One thing we can’t argue is she’s damn good at this crap. Plus, I find it troubling that she can always find people to do her dirty work.”

Kevin sighed, “All we can do is keep our eyes open. Maybe we’ll catch a break.”

Nick scoffed, “Good luck.”

“Who knows,” said Brian, “Maybe the cops will come up with something.”

Brian received four ‘you’ve got to be kidding’ looks, he put his hands out, “You never know.”

“Look,” announced Kevin, “Why don’t we go to bed. It’s pretty late and we have had a long day. We need the rest.”

AJ pushed himself off the floor, “That and we have rehearsals at 7 am.”

Nick groaned, “I ain’t movin’. You go, I’m stayin’ right here.”

Nick turned more into the couch cushions. Brian walked over and tapped him on the shoulder, “C’mon, Frack. You can sleep in a bed, jus’ get up.”

“No,” was the moaned reply, “Not movin’.”

Brian sighed, “Nick, let’s go.” Brian grabbed Nick’s arm and began to drag him off the couch.

“No!” Nick pulled his arm back and then pushed roughly out, throwing Brian back. Brian grunted as his butt hit the carpeted floor.

“Nick!-”

“Jus’ leave ‘im be, Bri’,” soothed Kevin, lifting his cousin off the floor. “If he wants to sleep on the couch, let ‘im.”

“Fine,” relented Brian, then he looked at Nick’s form, “But don’t come cryin’ to me when you’re all stiff tomorrow!”

All he received was a grunt in reply as Nick pulled a pillow over his head.


~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~


O’Rielly stretched his arms as he leaned back with a groan, his chair imitating the sound. He dropped his arms to this lap with a sigh, glancing tiredly up at the clock above his office door. 10:21 pm. He’d been on duty since 5 o’clock that morning, the Backstreet case falling in his lap by mid morning. Why’d I have to be stuck with it?

O’Rielly leaned forward and over the papers and files on his cluttered desk, once again looking through all the information they, the police, could find. Mostly it consisted of information on the Backstreet Boys and what could be had of when they were kidnapped the year before. In other words, they had jack shit to go on. The woman was a complete mystery, with no past to find.

O’Rielly took a moment to think, he went over the day’s events. First, the car bomb, my first meeting with the Backstreet Boys. In truth, what Kevin had said was partly true. I had thought of them as just some boy band, some famous spoiled brats. O’Rielly picked up a pen, absently tapping it against his desk. Well, I don’t think that anymore. In fact, those five young men impress me. Here they had went through a dangerous and traumatic experience just one year ago, now they were going through it again. Yet, they are on top of things. They are handling the situation quite well, better than anyone else ever had before in similar situations.

O’Rielly dropped the pen, leaning back in his chair and lifting his legs to rest on his desk. He clasped his hands over his flat stomach, still lost in thought.

He mentally went through the list.

Kevin.

Kevin was being practical, looking at the situation with an almost outsider point of view. That is, until something sparks his fuse. Then he becomes angry and strikes out. I have already received the brunt of two of those attacks. Kevin is a good man, though. He just really cares about the others.

AJ.

Whoo. Now there is a spitfire. Right from the get go, that wild young man was glaring me down to the most bottomless scum bag imaginable. He can’t fool me, though. His anger and smart comments can’t cover it up from me. AJ is scared shitless. He can’t bare the thought of anything happening to his friends. The man has a soft heart beneath that flashy, bad boy exterior.

Howie

Complete opposite reaction as AJ. He’s quiet, off to the side. He almost appears detached from the situation, but I know better. That boy has a head on his shoulders. He’s thinkin’ this stuff over, mulling through the events and trying to find a way to stop it. All the while he’s doin’ that, he’s also keeping the guys from losin’ it. He calms the storm before it gets out of control.

Brian

Nice boy, real gentle mannered. Seems he keeps tryin’ to lift the group’s spirits, lighten’ the load. He’s a smart one, too. He’s thinkin’ real hard on this stuff, but I think he’s tryin’ to see it from that woman’s point of view. He figures if he can figure her out, he’ll be able to put an end to this. Brian also seems to be the rock holdin’ the Carter kid up. Never left his side.

Nick

Now I’m worried about that one. He’s strong, I know that, but he ain’t really accepting this. He ain’t believin’ that it’s happenin’. He keeps tellin’ himself that and its workin’ to a degree, a degree of indifference. Not good. If he keeps that up it can only lead to bad things, either with that woman or with his friends. He has to accept it and then face it, otherwise it’ll haunt his thoughts until he can’t stand it anymore.

O’Rielly started in his chair, jerking out of his musings at a knock at his door. He lets his feet drop from the desk and straightens.

“Come in.”

A young officer opens the door and glances at O’Rielly apologetically, “Sorry to bother you, sir, but we just received this letter addressed to you.”

“Well, hand it over, son.”

The young man handed O’Rielly the envelope, “Would you like me to do anything else for you, sir?”

“Nah, I’m fine.”

“All right, I’ll leave then.”

O’Rielly absently nodded, already examining the strange letter and beginning to open it. The door to his office closed once more as O’Rielly pulled a small paper note from the plain envelope. Scanning the message his eyes narrowed. He pressed the button on his intercom, “Trevors! Get in here, pronto!”

Less than a minute later, and young man, perhaps in his early thirties, walked through the door, “You bellowed, sir?”

“Don’t give me any of that smart shit, Trevors,” scowled O’Rielly, Trevors was as bad as that AJ, “Look at this,” he said, handing Trevors the note. “What do you think?”

Trevors read the short message...

You won’t be able to save them, O’Rielly. They are mine and no one can change that. I will have my revenge for what they did, for what they took away from me. My justice will be served, until then...

Lalita

Trevors was surprised, “She gave her name!”

O’Rielly nodded, “Yeah, and she implied that the Backstreet Boys took something from her and that is why she is doin’ this. Any ideas what?”

Trevors shook his head, “I can research this name, though.”

O’Rielly sighed. It wasn’t much, but it was something, “Get to it.”

Trevors left. He returned two hours later. O’Rielly looked up expectantly, “Well, what have you got?”

Trevors frowned, “Not much, I’m afraid. I did find something out that is interesting... wait, more like disturbing.”

“What?” asked O’Rielly, almost afraid of the answer.

Trevors handed O’Rielly a sheet of paper, “See for yourself.”

O’Rielly took the paper, reading the sparse contents. He cursed and leaned back in his chair, laying the paper on his desk...

Lalita- Arabic name meaning: She who plays
Chapter 5 by Refuse
I want to go home... I want to go home. Damn it! I want to go home right this damned minute!

A figure stops his pacing, small hands gripping the metal bars. The room is dark, stark and lonely. The figure suddenly voices his frustration and jumps at the barred wall of his prison, kicking in anger.

Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! Damn it!... OW!

The figure stops his tirade and sits, holding onto his foot.

Damn cage. Damn the people who put me here. I hate them. I want the freedom I used to have, nature all around me. My friends always visiting. I miss them.

The small figure sniffed, dark eyes watering. He let go of his foot and resumed his pacing once again. The dark eyes flicking all around, searching the dark room for escape. He stops when the lock of his room clicks, the door soon opening. The dark eyes narrowed.

Well, if it ain’t blondie.

The figure’s dark eyes twinkled, seeing the damage he wrought to her face.

She deserved it. I wasn’t goin’ without a fight.... What does she want now?

The woman smiles hatefully at the figure, approaching his prison, “How are you enjoying your stay? I hope I haven’t troubled you any.”

The figure stands silent, staring.

The woman chuckles, “I bet you miss them, huh? Poor thing, all alone. Oh, don’t you worry though, I have kept your friends busy. You should of seen their faces, the car bomb is my personal favorite. It knocked them senseless.”

She laughed. The figure didn’t understand all her words, but did recognize the important ones: worry, friends, bomb. He voiced his anger, lunging at the bars.

She only laughed harder, “My, my. Such anger... and from the sounds of it, I think you’ve been around AJ too much.”

AJ? What’s she sayin’ about AJ? If she lays one finger on my AJ, she’ll have hell to pay!

She smiled widely, her ice blue eyes twinkling, “You don’t need to worry any, petite. You shall see your AJ soon, I promise.”

The figure stares, trying to figure out what she is implying with her light sounding words. For some reason, they caused a chill to race up his spine.

She walked to the door, turning to him before closing the door, “ ‘Til tomorrow, petite.”

She closed and locked the door, leaving the figure alone once again. He slumped against his prison, feeling it sway from its chain that kept it suspended five feet off the floor. He sniffed again, leaning to the side until he lay on the floor of his cage.

I want to go home... I want AJ.

Squeaker gave one last sigh, then fell into a restless sleep, dreaming of his best friend.

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

A dark room, soon turning light.

The cabin.

He found himself tied to a familiar chair, immobile. A presence behind him, a feeling of pure fear consuming him and causing his breath to quicken. A cool sensation touches his temple.

Oh, God... Not again.

“Yes, again,” toned the evil, feminine voice.

“Why can’t you leave us alone?” He heard himself ask.

She laughed, cocking the gun. “You took him away... You took him AWAY!”

click

He jumped reflexively, then heard the gun cock again. He tried to keep some rationale of calm, “Took who?”

She growled, “Who? You know who, you basterd. You and your friends will soon receive my wrath, only then will you know what you took away.”

click

“What?” he asked, momentarily closing his eyes and trying to ignore the game she played with him. “What do you mean?”

He felt the gun leave his temple, then her face appeared before his immobile form. She smiled a smile that caused his gut to clench.

“Let’s just say... Payback’s a bitch, Brian.”

Brian awoke with a gasp, his eyes snapping open. He slowly brought his hands up to his sweaty face, trying to wipe away the nightmare and calm his breathing. Gawd, what did it mean?

Brian slowly sat up, untangling his legs from his sheets that clung to his shaking body. He managed to stand and took a moment to get his bearings. The cool feeling of the gun was still present against his temple, he brought a hand up to it in annoyance.

“It’s not bad enough that she tortures us awake, she’s gotta haunt us in our dreams, too?” Brian asked aloud, finding his voice hoarse and shaky.

Brian ran a hand through his mussed hair, “God, I need a drink of water.”

Clad in his navy boxers and white muscle shirt, Brian padded barefoot out of his room and down the stairs, walking through the living room toward the kitchen. He glanced at Nick’s sleeping form on the couch and smirked. How can he sleep like that?

Nick laid with his lower body turned into the cushioned couch, a blanket only half covering his still fully clothed form as one leg is slung over the back while his upper body twists away. His left arm is stretched away from his body and supported by the coffee table, his right arm frames his face that rests on an overstuffed pillow. The young face seems peaceful, the sound of his deep breathing escaping his slightly parted lips.

Brian shook his head. That’s Nick for ya, he’s got to do everything... well, differently.

Brian turned and continued to the kitchen, pushing through the door and heading to the cupboards. He pulled out a glass and stuck it under the faucet, turning on the water with a yawn. The glass full, Brian shuts the water off and takes a long drink, the cool liquid soothing his dry throat.

Brian leaned against the counter, sipping the water and trying to get the dream out of his head. He was in the middle of a drink when a panicked shout caused him to spit the water out across the room. Nick? Brian slammed the glass on the counter and rushed out of the kitchen as more shouts came from his friend.

Brian ran to the couch to find Nick’s once peaceful face pinched in fear and panic, his eyes squeezed shut and his body thrashing back and forth as he called out.

“God, NO!... Brian! I’m sorry, I’m so sorry...”

Brian was momentarily frozen when a sob emitted from Nick as his body stilled in its thrashing, turning on his side and curling into himself. Brian walked around the couch so he could see Nick’s face and felt his heart lurch. Tears streamed from Nick’s clenched eyes.

“Nick?” Brian reached out to shake his shoulder gently, “Nick? C’mon, buddy... Wake up.”

Nick stayed caught in his dream, sobs shaking his form, “I’m sorry... God, I’m so sorry... My fault... sorry...”

Brian frowned at the hoarse, whispered words. He had to wake him. “Nick, wake up... It’s just a dream, Frack.”

Brian shook Nick harder, “Nick!”

Nick eyes snapped open and he reeled back from the face in front of him. He blinked as he gasped for breath, moving his head around to look at his surroundings. Nick finally seemed to recognize where he was and relaxed, falling back into the pillow with a loud sigh and closing his eyes, bringing a hand up to his face.

Brian’s brow furrowed, “Nick? You okay?”

“Yeah,” breathed Nick, not moving or opening his eyes.

“Nightmare?” asked Brian, trying to get Nick to talk.

“You think?” snapped Nick, wiping his hand across his face to dry the wetness his tears had left.

Brian ignored the retort, “Wanna talk about it?”

Nick glanced at Brian, “No.”

Brian moved to sit on the coffee table, “You sure? It’ll help.”

Nick scoffed, “Sure it will. It don’t matter, I’m used to it anyway.”

“Used to it?”

Nick shut his eyes at his slip, “Look, its nothin’. Just go back to bed, Bri’.”

“Can’t,” smiled Brian, “I’m up now and you have to deal with me. Tell me about it.”

“No,” refused Nick, turning his head away.

“What are you sorry for?”

Nick snapped his head back around to Brian, eyes wide with surprise, “How- how did you...”

“You were talkin’ in yer sleep, Nick,” informed Brian, “What are you sorry for?”

“Nothin’, leave it alone, Bri’.”

“No,” stated Brian, “I want to know what’s goin’ on. You have been a wreck since this whole thing started up again. Don’t you remember our talk at the hospital? I told you that you could talk to me, so... talk to me. What’s the worst that could happen, huh? Feelin’ better? You need to talk about this, Frack. You can’t keep lockin’ it all in.”

“Watch me,” retorted Nick, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Damn it, Nick!” yelled Brian, causing Nick to jump. Brian lowered his voice, hoping he hadn’t woke the others, “What’s with you? I know somethin’ is seriously botherin’ you, even before she came back. I noticed it when you would just space out sometimes, go off by yourself. Was it nightmares? You said you were used to it, tell me Nick. I thought I was your friend.”

Nick stared at Brian, “You are, Frick. I... I just didn’t want to say anything. You were all just getting over what happened and you guys didn’t need me bringing it all up again just because of some stupid nightmares.”

Brian frowned, “Its been a year, Nick. Are you sayin’ you’ve had nightmares like this the whole time?”

Nick pushed himself up into a sitting position with is hands, “Yeah, pretty much. They were gettin’ better though, the past few months I haven’t had hardly any.”

“But you used to have them a lot?” asked Brian.

“Yeah,” sighed Nick, “I’m sick of it, Bri’. It’s always the same one, too.”

“What’s it about?” prodded Brian.

Nick slumped back in his pillow, “It starts out normal, ya know? We’re just on the bus going to the next venue, then it changes. All of a sudden we’re in that cabin, my hands are tied and you are sittin’ in front of me in that chair, all tied up. Then Jake... he comes up with the gun and does that- that game... I start to get my hand loose ‘cause I just can’t stand seein’ you so scared, Bri’. I get my hand free as he pulls the trigger with a click. I watch as he cocks the gun again, laughing. I get to my feet and jump at him, but- but...”

Nick breaks off, slumping forward with his head in his hands. He threads his fingers through his short hair, clasping them on the back of his neck as he turns his head up at Brian, “I didn’t make it, Bri’. I didn’t make it and-... and i-it went off. He killed you, Bri’. I didn’t make it.”

“Oh, jeez Nick,” groaned Brian, reaching a hand out to grasp Nick’s shoulder, “You gotta remember that you did make it, Nick. You saved me. You did make it.”

A tear fell from one of Nick’s blue eyes as he shook his head, “Don’t you get it, Bri’? When I was for real fightin’ with Jake... the trigger got pulled and... It. Went. Off. That next time he pulled the trigger would of been your last.”

“But it wasn’t,” assured Brian, although he was a little shaken. He’d never thought of that. It took Brian aback at the realization of just how close he had been to death.

“I just want them to stop, Bri’. I’m just so sick of this whole mess!”

Brian pushed Nick to sit up, then leaned away from him, “I’ve been havin’ dreams, too.”

Nick was surprised, “You have?”

“Yeah,” nodded Brian, “But just last night and tonight. I never had any before.”

“What were they about?” asked Nick, feeling a little bad because he was relieved he wasn’t the only one.

Brian ran a hand through his hair, “It starts with me in that damn chair in the cabin, but I’m alone this time. Then the woman is there and she starts to play that Russian Roulette game, not Jake. In the one I just had, she was talkin’ to me, sayin’ that we took him away from her and that she would get us for that. Said payback is a bitch.”

“Took him?” asked Nick, confused.

Brian shook his head, “I don’t know what it means either, Nick. We just got to beat this and then everything will be okay.”

“Yeah,” Nick didn’t sound convinced.

“It will, Nick. I promise. Do you feel better havin’ talked about it?”

Nick smiled a little, “Yeah, a bit.”

They sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, Nick soon began to yawn. Brian found he was getting tired, too.

“I guess we better get back to sleep,” yawned Brian. He looked at the clock, eyes widening, “Jeez, Nick! It’s four a.m., rehearsals are at seven, we have to get some sleep.”

Nick laid back down against the overstuffed pillow, feeling some apprehension as Brian stood and began to walk away, “Brian?”

Brian stopped, “Yeah?”

“Could you maybe... um...” stumbled Nick. God, I feel so stupid. “Could you maybe stay down here?”

Brian smiled, “Sure, just let me get some blankets and stuff, ‘kay?”

“ ‘Kay,” smiled Nick, relaxing, “Thanks.”

“Not a problem, Frack.”

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

~beep~beep~beep~beep~beep~bee-SLAM! “Son of a BITCH!”

Kevin groaned, cursing himself as he cradled his bandaged arm against his chest.

“God,” he groaned, “that HURT!”

He looked at the alarm clock and read 6:02 a.m. Then Kevin remembered. Rehearsals. He SO did not want to do that today, his arm was killing him. Of course, it wasn’t that bad until he slammed it on the damn alarm clock.

Kevin sighed and forced himself out of bed and got dressed, no time for a shower. He’d have to take one after rehearsals. Kevin walked out of his temporary room and toward where AJ and Howie rooms were, knocking on their doors and waking them up. Howie was easy enough, but not AJ.

“Come on, AJ,” sighed Kevin, looking down at AJ as he hid under his covers, “We got rehearsals, remember?”

“Just give me five... more... hours,” droned AJ from beneath his covers.

“Nope,” said Kevin, getting a hold of AJ’s mattress with his good arm, “You are gettin’ up... now.”

AJ gave a yelp as Kevin yanked up on his mattress and flung him on the floor, “Kevin! What the hell?!”

“Get up, AJ.”

Kevin left the room with a smirk on his face as AJ grumbled, picking himself off the floor and rubbing his rear with a grimace.

The smirk was still on Kevin’s face as he reached the bottom of the stairs and headed to the kitchen. He walked through the living room and was about to push the kitchen door open when he stopped and did a double take. With his brows furrowed, Kevin walked back to the couch and stared at the forms still very much asleep. He smiled.

Nick was sprawled in what looked like a very uncomfortable position, but obviously not to the blond as he slept soundly. What surprised Kevin, was Brian, who was lying on the floor beside the couch. Brian’s body was weaved in and out from under the coffee table, one arm folded across his chest while the other stretched straight out.

Kevin wondered why Brian was sleeping in the living room with Nick instead of in his own bedroom. Kevin frowned, but looked up when he heard Howie and AJ coming down the steps. Howie looked annoyed, an expression which was soon justified by AJ’s still grumbling person.

“I swear, ‘D. There’s gonna be a bruise the size of Manhattan on my ass, all because macho man Kevvy-Kev insisted I get up at his beck and call. I could sue for child abuse or assault or-”

“Oh, just shut up, AJ!” cried Howie, throwing his hands up in exasperation. “I don’t care about your ass, okay?”

AJ dropped his jaw in mock shock, “Howie! How could you! My ass is what got us where we are today! What would we be without it?”

Kevin laughed at the look that overcame Howie’s face. It was somewhere between ‘you’ve got to be kidding me’ and ‘Lord, save me!’. He looked down at a mumbled retort from a rudely awoken blond.

“We’d be less one asshole.”

AJ gasped, having heard the jab. He looked at Howie, cracking his knuckles, “Excuse me while I dispose our group of that pesky blond that always seems to let his mouth run at the worst times.” AJ turned back to the half asleep Nick, “Oh, Nick-ay!”

Nick looked up to see a pissed off AJ charging toward him and abruptly came awake, “Oh, shit!”

Nick threw the blanket off of his legs and at the approaching AJ, desperately scrambling off the couch. In his haste, Nick forgot Brian was asleep on the floor and promptly stepped on the defenseless Kentuckian.

“Ooof!”

Nick stopped, looking down to see his foot placed dead center on Brian’s chest. Brian gazed up at him with a pinched expression. Nick looked sheepish as he sat back on the couch and removed his foot from Brian’s chest, “Oops, sorry Bri’.”

Brian groggily sat up, one hand massaging his chest. He looked warily at Nick, his voice came out strained when he spoke, “That’s the thanks I get?” Brian referred to sleeping on the hard floor.

“Sorry,” smiled Nick, then he pointed to AJ, who is trying to untangle himself from Nick’s blanket, “It’s AJ’s fault.”

“My fault?!?” came a muffled shout from beneath the blanket, the attempts at removing the offending material ceasing. One tattooed arm came up, index finger pointed to the ceiling in indignation, “My character was maligned and demanded retaliation!”

Nick snorted, smirking at Brian. Brian stared at AJ’s covered form in bewilderment, then he shook his head, “I don’t even want to know.”

Kevin looked at Brian, perplexed, “Brian, why are you dow-”

“I’m hungry!” interrupted Brian, jumping to his feet and deliberately avoiding Kevin’s question, “Who’s up for some breakfast?!”

“Me!” cried Nick and Howie simultaneously, Nick vaulting over the back of the couch and dashing to the kitchen with Brian following. Howie grinned at Kevin and started after the duo, dodging AJ’s blindly flailing arms.

“Damn it! ‘D! Help me out here!” he cried, tugging on the blanket still tangled around his frame, “Howie! Don’t leave me hangin’ like this?!?”

Howie just smirked, backing away from AJ’s blindly groping figure, “Sorry, Aje. I think I hear Nick and Bri’ callin’ for me. I’d better go see what they want.”

“Howie!” whined AJ, lunging at his friend’s voice and catching air, then floor. “Ouch! ‘D, when I get out of this you will be in some serious pain!”

AJ’s threat fell on deaf ears as the kitchen door swung shut. AJ pouted beneath the blanket, crossing his arms. Then AJ remembered the fifth Backstreeter in the room, “Kev?”

Kevin still stood by the couch, gradually processing what just happened in the span of just a few minutes. He snapped out of his daze at his name, “Huh? Oh, what’cha want, AJ?”

The lump that Kevin presumed to be AJ’s head tilted to the side, then the tattooed arms grasped the blanket and shook it, “What do ya think, Train? I’m sittin’ on the floor in a blanket for my health? Maybe I’m startin’ a new fad!”

Kevin thought a moment, “Well...”

“Kevin!”

“Okay! Okay, sheesh! Try and have a little fun...” smiled Kevin as he began to untangle AJ from the blanket.

“This... is NOT fun,” declared AJ, breathing in the fresh air as the blanket was finally lifted from his body. “I’m gonna kill those three.”

“Uh-huh,” nodded Kevin, locking hands with AJ and pulling him up. “Sure you are, Aje.” Kevin had lost count of how many times he’d heard AJ say those words, nothing ever really came of the threat. Either AJ forgot or lost interest.

“I haven’t forgotten about you either, Kev,” glared AJ, “My butt took some damage when you pulled that stunt earlier.”

Kevin just smiled, “I thought it was quite effective.”

Kevin and AJ started walking to the kitchen, “Oh, yeah?” asked AJ, “I thought it rude.”

Kevin shrugged and pushed open the kitchen door, stopping so abruptly at the sight before him that AJ slammed into him.

“Hey!” cried AJ, attempting to see first over and then around Kevin’s figure, “What gives, Kev?”

Kevin groaned loudly, rolling his head to the ceiling, “Nooo... You have GOT to be kidding me...”

AJ couldn’t see a damn thing, “What?!?”

Kevin sighed and stepped aside. AJ saw Nick, Brian, and Howie sitting at the table, happily eating their breakfast. Even AJ groaned.

Nick smiled brightly, “Pizza!”

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

“Hey!” hissed a deep voice to the man in the room he kept a lookout on, “You about done? We gotta split before things start pickin’ up!”

The other guy scowled, not taking his eyes away from the task at hand. He took the flashlight from his mouth and replied, “Yeah!” He hissed back, “Relax, will ya?! There ain’t no one here! We’s got the place to ourselves!” He put the flashlight back between his teeth.

The first man glanced around nervously in the darkened room and the long, hollow looking hallways he watched, beginning to fidget. “Place to ourselves,” he muttered under his breath, “Yeah, right. There’s just about twenty cops swarmin’ this place!” He glanced down at the large bag at his feet when a rustling came forth from it, frowning, “C’mon, Frank! Hurry it up!”

“Dus a secod! I’n goin’ asth hasth asth I can!” he ground out from around the flashlight, makin’ one last adjustment. “There!” he exulted, taking the flashlight from his mouth.

“Finally!” sighed the first man, “Let’s ditch the cargo and get the hell out of here!”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” muttered Frank, stooping before the bag, “The boss sure did think this one through, huh?”

“Yeah,” answered the first man distractedly. Then after a few minutes of waiting, “You ready?”

“Almost, just a few last touches,” answered Frank.

The first man’s eyes bugged out as a flashlight beam bounced against the wall down the hall, “Frank! We gotta split, NOW! Someone’s comin’!”

“Done!” whispered Frank, snatching up the now empty bag. “Let’s book it!”

They both silently closed and locked the door, their eyes never leaving the light that was becoming closer to where the halls merged. Frank nodded and they quietly ran down the hall, the opposite direction of the light.

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

Nick and Brian jogged down the steps after getting changed, a spring in their steps. Kevin looked up from his position on the recliner as they approached. AJ and Howie paused in their arguing of proper breakfast food to glance at them.

Kevin set his magazine back on the coffee table, “’Bout time. We got ten minutes to get to the stadium.”

“Hey, it’s Frack’s fault!” cried Brian, “It took me forever to find somethin’ that’ll fit him!”

Nick just grinned and shrugged, “I’ll get my stuff later, this’ll do for now. I got a bag of clothes at the stadium anyway.”

Nick wore torn blue jeans that stopped a little high on his ankles, a black t-shirt that was a little snug on his longer torso, and an old worn out jean jacket that fit fairly well... as long as he didn’t stretch or move his arms drastically, if he did he thought the shoulders would tear out.

AJ smirked, “You look like a tall version of Brian. Wait! You’re missin’ somethin’!”

AJ scrambled out of the room and upstairs, leaving the guys glancing at each other curiously. Soon, the sound of AJ’s feet pounding down the stairs is heard, not to mention the ‘duh, duh, duh, THUD’. Tricky things stairs are.

AJ marched up with some dignity left to the back of Nick, reaching up and mashing a hat on his head, “There! Now we got two Brian’s! Good thing too, I was getting tired of that Nick guy.”

Nick scowled from beneath the cap mashed over his eyes, taking it off to look at it. It was Brian’s blue Kentucky cap. Nick looked at Brian, “You mind?”

Brian smiled, “Nah! I’ll be the dumb blond for the day!”

Nick smacked Brian upside the head with the cap, then placed it back on his head. Kevin and Howie shook their heads. Kevin got up from the chair, “Let’s go.”

They walked out of the door somewhat cheerful, until they saw the two squad cars parked in the street. Then the situation became real again. AJ’s angry scowl returned, Kevin’s outsider image surfaced, Howie became quiet, Brian looked at his friends trying to think of something to lighten the sudden mood change, and Nick drew within himself again, pulling the cap low over his face.

Kevin turned to them, “Howie, AJ, and I will take AJ’s car. Nick and Brian take Brian’s SUV.”

They nodded solemnly and headed to their designated assignments. Brian slammed his door shut and glanced over at Nick as he reached to start his navy blue SUV, seeing the returning ‘I’m fine’ attitude. With a sigh, Brian backed out of his garage and into the street, following AJ. One police car followed.

The drive to the stadium was uneventful, thankfully. Brian and AJ parked in the back of the stadium, where most everyone on the crew parked. The lot was full, everyone at work. The guys are five minutes late.

The police car makes a u-turn and heads back to its designated post outside of Brian’s house. Kevin, AJ, and Howie got out of AJ’s car and began walking to the stadium doors. They were so caught up in the remembrance of the situation that Kevin didn’t even yell about being late.

Brian had to park a little ways down the line from the others, him and Nick getting out as Kevin, AJ, and Howie were already halfway to the doors. As Brian locked the doors, Nick leaned against the SUV, letting his head fall back with a thud, the sun shielded from his face by the cap.

Brian frowned, “You all right, Nick?”

Nick lifted his head and looked over his shoulder at Brian, “Yeah, just give me a minute, okay?”

Brian looked at him for a moment, then nodded, “Okay, but just a minute. We’re already late as it is.”

As Brian turned and walked to the doors, Nick rested his head back again with a deep sigh. Nick stayed there in thought for several minutes before pushing himself away from the SUV and starting after Brian, who was almost at the doors where several cops stood. Kevin, AJ, and Howie where waiting for them.

Nick walked with his head down and shoulders slumped, hands buried in his pants pockets. He was in no hurry and kicked at the occasional rock with his feet.

Brian reached the others and then turned to see if Nick was coming yet. AJ and Howie were arguing about breakfast again, something like pizza is no better that McDonald’s in the morning. Kevin spoke to one of the officers, the other cops looked like they were half asleep. Brian surmised that they must have been there all night and haven’t been relieved yet.

A shrill squeal of tires caused Kevin to glance away from the officer he spoke with, haphazardly inquiring to the cause. His face went white and his voice trailed off, the breath suddenly leaving his lungs. Kevin watched as a battered black Dodge Ram squealed into the parking lot to their right. As it neared Kevin saw movement in the truck bed and gasped, grabbing the officer and pulling him to the ground, “Everybody, GET DOWN!”

AJ, Howie, and Brian, plus the other cops, snapped to attention. They saw the Ram and quickly hit the pavement. The Ram approached and passed them, a peppering of gunfire filling the air and shattering the glass doors behind them, showering them with glass. The gunfire ended and Brian looked up, seeing the Ram continue past them... straight at Nick.

Brian jumped to his feet, cupping his hands to his mouth, “Nick!... NICK! RUN!!”

Nick had been minding his own business when gunfire erupted just ahead of him and when he looked up he saw a black Dodge Ram barreling toward him. Nick reeled back and stumbled, quickly scrambling to his feet while Brian’s yell echoed around him. The Ram was almost on him as Nick spun around and ran, he heard popping sounds and the cement at his feet shot up in small explosions and the cars parked ahead of him cracked and groaned as bullets slammed into them, shattering some of the windows.

Nick ran as fast as he could, his back burning with the apprehension that a bullet would slam into it at any second. His wide blue eyes were fixated on the cars ahead of him, he had to reach them, he could find cover there. The gunshots ceased and then Nick could hear the roar of the Ram’s engine as it boar down on him. Almost there, almost at the cars. Nick reached a hand behind him and almost screamed as his fingertips brushed smooth metal.

Nick was two steps from the cars and he dove between two of them, just as the Ram gunned its engine and swerved toward him. Nick hit the pavement with a grunt and cringed at the screech and crunch of metal grating against metal as the Ram sideswiped the parked cars he just dove between.

The Ram peeled away, but Nick didn’t hear it. All he could hear is his heavy, strained breathing and a constant roar in his ears. Nick laid on his stomach between the cars, panting in exertion and fear. He crossed his arms before him and then closed his eyes, resting his forehead on his trembling arms. His whole body was shaking.

“Nick!” came a yell that Nick knew, just couldn’t place. Nothing existed, but the cool cement and the air rushing in and out of his lungs.

Brian lead the others to where he last saw Nick, praying he was all right, “Nick!” he called again. Brian felt his air leave him in relief as he found Nick on the ground between two cars, plastic and glass littering the ground. Brian approached Nick slowly, glancing at the others. Nick hadn’t moved yet.

“Frack? It’s Brian, you okay?” Brian slowly kneeled down beside Nick, resting a hand on his back. Nick was shaking and his back heaved as he gasped for breath.

Kevin appeared next to Brian, “Nick? Nicky, it’s okay. It’s over.”

AJ and Howie stood looking on in shock of what had just happened. Several police officers stood behind them, looking awkward and uncomfortable.

Brian leaned down to try and get a look at Nick’s face, then he remembered the hat in his hand. He set the blue cap down next to Nick’s head, “Hey, Frack, you dropped somethin’.”

Nick seemed to get control of his breathing somewhat and turned his head to the hat, then he glanced up at Brian who smiled. Expelling a trembling breath, Nick pushed himself up on shaky arms and turned to a sitting position. He leaned back heavily against one of the cars, picking up the hat. He twisted it around in his hands, staring at it blankly. Then his hands stopped, his eyes going wide in shock and his face even paler, if that was possible.

Brian immediately saw the stricken look overcome Nick’s face, “What? What is it, Nick?”

Nick just stared at the hat, then turned plagued eyes up at Brian, wordlessly handing him the hat. Confusion evident on his face, Brian took it and sent an uneasy glance at the others before examining it. Brian turned it over in his hands, then stopped and gasped, shooting a quick look at Nick who stared blankly.

Brian wordlessly handed Kevin the hat, then Brian moved and sat beside Nick, wrapping an arm around him and pulling him into a hug. Nick remained stiff and silent, obviously in shock.

Kevin watched this and then looked down at the hat in his hands. He studied it and turned it around, a gasp escaping him when he found the cause of Nick and Brian’s shock. Kevin managed to stand and turned to Howie and AJ, who looked at him with confused and scared expressions.

Kevin tossed the hat to them, AJ caught it. Almost hesitantly, after seeing their friends’ reactions, Howie and AJ looked at the hat. It looked fine, so AJ rotated it. His fingers brushed against something and he stopped. He and Howie looked and went white. AJ forgot how to breath for a moment and Howie had to slap him on the back to get him going again.

There, on the right side of the blue cap was a long rip, the edges frayed and singed. A bullet hat grazed the hat when on Nick’s head...
Chapter 6 by Refuse
AJ looked up from the scarred baseball cap, his brown gaze settling on his younger friend, who had yet to speak. AJ swallowed hard, trying to work past the lump in his throat, “Yo... Nick, Kaos... ...” AJ cleared his throat, his voice catching, “Just don’t think about it, man. You’re fine, that’s all that matters... Nick, you listenin’?”

Nick turned his face up to AJ, blinking slowly. He brought a shaking hand up and through his hair, stopping as his sensitive fingers ran across a slightly rougher section of the smooth blond locks, he dropped his hand away, “Jeez, it singed my hair...”

Howie knelt in front of Nick and Brian, placing a hand on Nick’s shoulder and catching the shocked singer’s attention. He smiled and gave the shoulder a squeeze, “You are fine, okay? Just think of that, you’re sittin’ here and breathin’, you’re alive. And we couldn’t be more grateful, remember that.”

Nick mutely nodded, dropping his eyes. Brian smiled and gave Nick’s frame a reassuring squeeze, “Don’t sweat it, Frack. C’mon, let’s get to them rehearsals. Fatima is gonna have our heads on a platter if we don’t get there soon.”

The familiarity seemed to spur Nick into motion, snapping him back to reality, “Yeah, Frick. We’re late.”

Nick pushed himself up, leaning against the car for a moment before pushing away and walking back to the stadium doors, leaving his four friends behind without a glance.

Brian stood and looked at his cousin in worry, “He wasn’t takin’ any of this very good in the first place, and now this happens,” Brian gestured to the cars around them. “It’s just like last time.”

Kevin shook his head, “I know, Brian. All I can say is I wish there never was a last time. We don’t need this crap.”

AJ made a fist around the blue cap still in his hands, “Damn it! She’s gettin’ closer every time! How long before she takes names, huh?” AJ threw the cap at Brian, who caught it instinctively. AJ stared at them hard, “When will our luck run out?”

Howie raised a hand to massage the back of his neck, grimacing, “All we can do is be careful. I mean, we have lives to live.”

“We do?” asked Brian, his face doubtful, “Our lives aren’t what I’d want to live right now if I had a choice. We are fighting for our lives every day and we won’t be able to stop until that woman is captured. How much longer can we last?” Brian’s blue gaze traveled to the stadium, “Can Nick last?”

Kevin looked startled, “Huh? What do you mean, Bri’? I thought Nick was doin’ okay, considering.”

Brian shook his head, “He’s keepin’ it all in just like last time, I wonder when he’ll break.” Brian looked at Kevin, “’Member this mornin’? When you were gonna ask why I was sleepin’ on the floor in the livin’ room?” Kevin nodded, perplexed. Brian continued, “I spent the night down there ‘cause Nick didn’t want to be alone. I didn’t say anything at the time ‘cause you know how Nick is about his privacy.” Brian paused, looking at his three friends, “He had a nightmare, about when we were in Alaska. Evidently, he’s been havin’ them for a long time, just never told us.”

The others looked shocked, Kevin spoke, “What? Why didn’t he...”

“Tell us?” finished Brian, twisting his cap in his hands, “He didn’t want us to worry, he didn’t want to bring back those memories, he wanted us to leave it behind us. I’d say that about covers it. Nick thinks about how things effect us more than you think.” Brian smiled slightly, “Nick likes attention, but not the kind that we would of given him. Nick likes to make you happy, not sad. It’s just the way he is, how he sees things.”

“Well, damn it!” hissed AJ, thoroughly ticked, “I wish he wouldn’t! He never tells us anything about himself; when he’s sick, when he’s depressed. He never let’s it out, then we have to pick up the pieces when it gets to be too much. I don’t know if I can stand it anymore.”

Howie nodded, “He has to learn to open up or he’ll never get back to the way it was before.”

“How?” asked Kevin, looking at each of them, “He won’t listen.”

“Yeah, he will,” toned Brian softly, “He talks if you ask... Or make it obvious that you ain’t gonna back off until he 'fesses up.”

Kevin nodded thoughtfully, “We’ll do that then, before he breaks.”

“Okay,” breathed AJ, calming somewhat, “Let’s get outta this psychiatrist funk we’re in and back to work. We got a concert to practice for.”

Howie smiled, “You won’t be so eager when you meet up with Fatima. She’s gonna hone in on you the most, just because you always spite her with that smart mouth of yours.”

AJ paused, “On second thought, I think I left my dancin’ shoes at home. I’ll just go and pick them up. Be right back guys...”

Kevin gripped the back of AJ’s neck with his good hand as he turned to leave, effectively capturing the potential escapee, “Oh, no ya don’t. You’re facin’ the firin’ squad the same as the rest of us.”

Brian cringed slightly at his cousin’s choice of words, “Did ya have to put it in those particular words, Kev?”

Kevin sent Brian an apologetic look, biting his bottom lip, “Sorry, ‘Rok, but we really ought'ta get goin’. Nick’ll pro’bly be done with rehearsal by the time we get our butts in gear.”

“Or sittin’ on his rear, doin’ nothin’,” grinned AJ, “He ain’t gonna do anything without us there.”

Howie sighed, “Let’s go, already.”

Brian and Howie started walking back to the stadium, Kevin in tow and dragging AJ by the back of the neck, the sunglasses clad rebel voicing his protests the whole way. The police officers that were in the background the whole time looked at each other and shrugged. They accepted the fact that they were just blatantly ignored and followed their charges back to the stadium, regretting the tongue lashing they would receive from Chief O’Rielly when he found out about this latest incident.

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

Nick looked up from where he stood as his tardy band mates entered the arena, but didn’t move from his position against the stage stairs. He leaned further into the smooth, metal guard rail and sighed, his hands tugging on the end of his Buccaneers jersey. While waiting for the guys, Nick had went ahead and changed into the spare clothes he had at the arena. Now he just wanted to get to work so his mind would be on something besides what had just happened. He shifted his stance and flinched, his leg muscles having cramped after standing still for so long after he had just stretched them to the limits. A quarter ton pick-up sure was a good motivator for a fast running time.

Nick paused in thought, maybe it wasn’t such a good thing to start all that dancing. Nick leaned his head back. Oh, just great. Now I’m regretting gettin’ to work.

“Hey, Frack!” called Brian, suddenly appearing at Nick’s side. “You doin’ okay?”

Nick nodded, “Yeah, I’m fine. Guess it’s time to get to work, huh?”

“Nah,” voiced AJ as he settled in a cushy arena chair, propping his feet on an adjacent chair and crossing his arms behind his head, “I don’t see Fatima, so it’s not time to get busy yet.” AJ feigned a yawn, “Wake me when she gets here.”

Just then, Fatima breezed into the arena. She caught sight of AJ and grinned, walking up behind him and then reaching and throwing his legs off the chair. AJ was effectively flipped off of his chair and onto the cement floor with a thump, “Rise and shine, Bone!” Fatima smiled wolfishly, staring from the other Backstreet Boys to the one at her feet, “Now, mind tellin’ me why the hell you guys are thirty minutes late?”

The guys all glanced at each other, realizing that Fatima didn’t know about the drive by shooting. Kevin cleared his throat, “Well, ya see, Fatima... We uh... Um, we were kinda detained by... uh, circumstances beyond our control.”

Fatima looked utterly confused, “Huh?”

AJ felt anger simmer within him and glared up at the choreographer, blurting out, “We were just shot at by some maniacs in a big ass pick-up truck, who then thought it sportin’ to try and make little Nicky a pancake in the parking lot!”

Fatima’s jaw dropped, her eyes wide in shock as she stared at AJ. AJ got up from the floor, biting out, “So, are we excused?”

Fatima shook her head slightly, the information sinking in. She gazed at the five men in concern, “My God... I didn’t know... Are you okay? You didn’t get hurt, did you? I didn’t know... I’m sorry.”

Kevin glared at AJ while addressing Fatima, “It ain’t your fault, Fatima. Yes, we are fine. Nick had a bit of a close call... But we’re okay. We just wanna get on with rehearsals, we need to get our minds off of this business for a little while.”

Fatima quickly nodded, “Sure, we can get started right away... and, I really do hate what’s goin’ on, you guys. I just found out last night, it being on the news, and they didn’t say all that much.” She paused, tilting her head at them, “You sure you want to go on with the concert? I’m sure the fans would understand. They wouldn’t want you in danger just for them, I’m sure of it.”

Nick shook his head, his mouth set in a firm line, “We’re doin’ it. We said we would and we will. No matter what.”

Kevin and AJ nodded in agreement, AJ’s face still set in an angry countenance. Brian and Howie, though, looked a little hesitant. Howie shifted his feet slightly, speaking softly, “Maybe we ought to postpone it.” Three heads snapped in his direction.

AJ narrowed his eyes, “What?”

Howie swallowed, his eyes nervous as they flicked from face to face, “I mean, we’d still do it and all, just after that woman gets arrested. It’d be safer.”

“I agree with Howie,” toned Brian, stepping up beside the Latino. He was met with three surprised faces, Nick staring at him in disbelief.

“What the hell do you mean, you agree?” asked Nick, staring at Brian as if he didn’t know him. “You don’t want to do the concert?”

“Now, hold on,” defended Brian, raising his hands slightly, “I never said that. Just that I think it’s a good idea that we put it off until this fiasco is over.”

Howie nodded, more confident with the support of Brian, “Like Fatima said, the fans would understand. We’ll do the concert, just later. No big deal.”

“No big deal??” repeated AJ, his wide eyes pinning his best friend back, “This isn’t just about the fans, Howie. It’s about us. What are we sayin’ if we don’t go through with the concert, huh? Not to the fans or media, but to us. What does that say about us? What does it tell us?”

He was met with silence. AJ threw his hands up, beginning to pace, “The Backstreet Boys can’t handle it, the Backstreet Boys are pushovers, the Backstreet Boys are scared, or maybe, the Backstreet Boys can’t take the heat so they pull out.” AJ stopped, looking at his four friends’ shocked faces. He pointed a finger to his chest, “I ain’t gonna back down just because it’s the easier thing to do. I’ve gone through plenty of shit in my life, but I’ve never ran and hid with my tail tucked between my legs. I sure as hell ain’t gonna start now!” AJ took a breath, looking from face to face, “We went through this crap before, not because we had a choice, but because he had to. Now we do have a choice, but there shouldn’t be a decision to make. We stick this through to the end and come out fighting. We’ve been through the ringer more than once, but we never gave up. The Backstreet Boys do NOT give up. As long as we’ve got each other to pull one another through, we’ll be the one’s who come out on top. I don’t give a shit what that mad bitch thinks, we are the ones in control. We’ll win her game.”

AJ clenched his fists at his sides, taking deep breaths in an effort to calm himself down after his outburst. Howie blinked and slowly sank down to sit on the stage stairs, taken aback. Brian looked at AJ with raised eyebrows, obviously impressed. Nick was shocked at first, then seemed to take on a pensive expression, gazing at something only he could see. Kevin had the smallest of smiles on his face, a sense of pride shining in his eyes as he watched AJ get his control back. Fatima was looking at AJ as if she’d never seen him before.

AJ crossed his arms, “We’re doing the concert.”

Howie looked up at his friend, slowly nodding, “Yeah, okay AJ. We’ll do the concert.”

Brian smiled, “Damn, Bone. Where the hell did that come from?”

AJ ducked his head, cracking a smile, “It’s always been there, Bri’, just never had a reason to come out.”

“Well, hell,” continued Brian, a twinkle in his eyes, “We can’t say AJ don’t have a way with words now, can we?”

A soft round of laughter rolled from the group, easing the sudden heavy air surrounding them. Fatima snapped to attention first, clapping her hands together and causing the five singer’s to jump, “Well! What are you standin’ around for?! You get them cute butts up them stairs and groovin’ liked they’ve never grooved before! We got a finale concert to put on tonight!” Fatima pointed to the stage, “March!”

AJ’s familiar smirk made its sorely missed appearance, his face then falling serious and true. He made a stiff salute to the choreographer, “Yes, ma’am! Proceeding as ordered, ma’am!”

AJ then made a pronounced turn and literally marched up the stage stairs, chanting in a loud and clear voice while nudging Howie up along the way, “Left, left... Left, right, left... Left, left... Left, right, left...”

Howie grinned at his friend’s familiar behavior, jumping to his feet and following the marching rebel. He goaded Nick and Brian and they soon joined him, all four marching in a single file line onto the stage. Kevin smiled at Fatima’s amused face, then shook his head and jumped up the stairs, rounding out the line by marching behind his four band mates as AJ continued the chant.

“...Left, left... Left, right, left... Left, left... Company, HALT!” AJ stopped them abruptly, Brian not paying too much attention and slamming face first into the back of Nick, who then stumbled into Howie, who in turn fell into AJ. AJ staggered slightly and glared behind him. Brian shrugged. The line faced the right side of the stage, AJ cleared his throat, “About... FACE!”

Five Backstreet Boys snapped around, AJ glanced down the line as he faced the chair filled arena. He sighed, then cleared his throat loudly. Brian straightened from his foot tapping stance, turning his head to look at AJ, “Huh?” AJ gave him a look, tilting his head toward the arena. Brian looked behind him, recognition dawning on the smooth Southern features, “Oh!” Brian quickly spun around, now facing the right way. He looked at AJ sheepishly, “Oops.”

AJ looked to the stadium ceiling, mouthing, “Why me?”

They all turned their attention to the sound of laughter, their eyes falling on Fatima, who leaned on the stage for support as she shook in merriment. They smiled at each other and waited until the black woman regained some control. She smiled up at them, “Glad to see you guys still got yer sense of humor, but enough fun and games! Time to get to work! Marcus!” she yelled out, “Hit it!”

AJ’s computerized voice soon filled the stadium, followed by the up-tempo drums and keyboard, then Brian’s voice emanated from the loud speakers above and around them, “We’ve been through days of thunder...”

~/~/~/~/~(four hours later)~~~~~

“I... can’t... move...” gasped Howie, sprawled on his back on the stage, staring up at the ceiling far above him. His long hair sweat soaked and clinging to his scalp, forehead, and neck uncomfortably.

AJ collapsed into a chair, throwing his head and arms back, “Who the hell said we wanted to do rehearsals?!?”

“Me,” came the grunted one word reply. AJ managed to turn his head to the designated leader of their fair group. Kevin stood practically being held up by a large speaker, eyes closed. He looked like he was asleep.

AJ snorted, “And how do you feel about that idea of yours now?”

Kevin grunted, his feet slipping on the stage floor and causing him to slide down the speaker until he was sprawled half against the speaker, half on the floor. AJ scoffed, muttering, “I thought so.”

“I’m thris-ty!”

AJ cringed at the high pitched, slightly muffled, tired sounding whine. “Nick,” he sighed, leaning further into his chair in exhaustion, “There are water bottles all over this damned stage!”

“I know!” retaliated the blond, sprawled not too far from Howie. Only Nick was face down on the stage, his sweat soaked head buried in his arms like a pillow. He turned his head up to reveal baleful blue eyes, “There’s one right in front of me, but I can’t reach it! Do you have any idea how frustrating that is?!?”

AJ grinned. The kid was serious, “Nick,” he said slowly, “Move your lazy ass and then you’ll reach the damned water bottle!”

The words slowly processed in the exhaustion fogged mind, then the whine returned, “I don’t know if I can!”

AJ was reaching his wits end, “Try!”

“Fine!” sulked the youngest Backstreet Boy. He let out a pitiful moan, slowly pushing himself up on his elbows, the water bottle a tantalizing three feet away. A pathetic groan emanated from his lips as he lurched to his hands and knees.

AJ groaned, “Oh, for Christ’s sake! Ya think you can be anymore melodramatic, Nicky?!?”

Nick evidently had enough strength to give AJ the finger, as he began to crawl to the sorely wanted water. Nick threw himself out at it, one hand grasping it as he collapsed in exhaustion. He weakly pulled the bottle to him, his mouth watering in anticipation, but as he lifted it off the floor, his brow furrowed. He stared at he clear bottle, his face darkening as he suddenly threw it away in disgust, “Oh, for the love of GOD! The damn thing is EMPTY!!”

AJ burst out laughing, weakly drawing his arms to his stomach as the small bodily function was taxing him even more. Nick glared at him and wished he still had the stupid bottle, then he could chuck it at AJ’s grinning face. Instead, all Nick could do was sigh in frustration, muttering out a half hearted, “Oh, shut up, AJ!”

AJ only laughed louder, his gleeful cries drowning out the snores of Kevin and Howie. Nick stared up at the ceiling, his face twisted in an angry pout as he asked, “Where the hell is Brian?!”

Nick looked at AJ and received a shrug as his laughter paused for the moment. Just then, Brian jogged up the stage stairs, looking quite refreshed. He obviously had just taken a shower. He smiled, “Hey, guys! Wha’cha doin’?!”

Nick’s eyes glazed over and his mouth watered, he licked his lips. There, in Brian’s hand, was a full bottle of water, “Brian? Can I have that water?”

Brian stopped, looking at his bottle of water and then to the look on Nick’s face. He grinned, “No way, Frack! I got up off my butt for it, so it’s mine!” Brian hugged the precious liquid to his chest for emphasis.

AJ wasn’t sure, but he swore he heard Nick growl. He watched in tired amusement as Nick fairly screamed, “Bri-an!”

Brian smirked, “Nopers, Nicky-poo! Mine, mine, mine!”

AJ was positive this time, Nick growled. Then the tall blond threw himself to his feet, all weakness gone as he charged the startled Brian. Brian blinked and then snapped out of his stupor, “Oh, crap!”

Then Brian spun around and ran off the stage, a very ticked and motivated Nick Carter on his heels. AJ grinned as he closed his eyes, the sound of running footsteps and the pleas of Brian’s fading voice reaching his ears.

“Nick! Hey, c’mon!... I didn’t mean it! I was teasin’!... ...Damn, when’d you get so fast?!... ...Where the hell is the damn door in this place?!?... Ah-HA!...” -THUMP- “Son of a-! Who the hell locked the door?!?... ...Hey, Nick, buddy... All right! Take the stupid water bottle!...” SPLASH. Sputtering. “Now... THAT was uncalled for.”

AJ chuckled, then sighed. He forced himself to his feet. He wanted and needed a shower, desperately. Forcing himself to his feet, AJ walked across the stage, stepping over Howie’s softly snoring form and glancing across at Kevin, who was now laying on the stage. AJ smirked, Kevin was layin ON TOP of his bandaged arm. He didn’t want to be around when Kevin woke up, he’d be in pain and pissed off.

AJ smiled to himself, stepping down the stairs. He’d just found out that when Kevin had an injury, he forgot about it constantly. AJ couldn’t count how many times the eldest Backstreet Boy had slammed his arm into something during rehearsals. It was damn funny though when the usually reserved man spouted strings of curses, even AJ had blushed at some of the phrases uttered.

Turning to the arena exit, AJ caught sight of a bickering Frick and Frack, arm motions and all as they argued back and forth, water dripping off Brian’s face. AJ didn’t even want to know what they were arguing about, with them two, he probably wouldn’t understand anyway. Reaching the door, he nodded curtly to the officer guarding it, noticing the amused look on the cop’s face. Huh, if he thinks that is amusing, he should see us when we really get going.

Entering the hallway, AJ found two more officers on that side of the door and nodded to them too. Jeez, how many cops do they got here? If they’re at all the exits... Jeez. Who’s watching Orlando? The whole damn police precinct was at the stadium!

AJ walked down the hall, taking a right a few yards down. He furrowed his brow as he passed by several more cops, wondering what the hell they were doing in the halls. Shrugging it off, AJ walked several more yards before turning left, down a longer, more vacant hallway. AJ took a few more lefts and rights and finally arrived at the locker rooms with the showers. He quickly went to his locker and yanked out his bag, pulling from it a couple white towels and some new clothes. He then stripped his grimy clothes off and took his shower, reveling in the soothing water as it hit his strained muscles. AJ extended his shower a little longer than normal, simply relaxing. When he finally got out and dressed into the fresh clothes, he felt revived. He never knew a shower could feel so good.

With a sigh, AJ stuck his bag back into his locker and, resting a rolled up white towel over his shoulders, left the locker room. He used the end of the towel with one hand to dry the ends of his hair, rubbing it over his head as he walked back to the arena. After he was satisfied his hair was dry enough, AJ let it fall back over his shoulders. He continued to walk through the spacious halls, casually taking his time.

AJ soon began to mull over the situation, trying to figure out an angle that the woman seeking revenge on them claimed to be working. She seemed to be making it so personal, but she hadn’t taken it over the line... yet. AJ paused in his thoughts, realizing he was the only member left to have an ‘accident’ befall him. A chill suddenly went through him at the epiphony. The others had all experienced a close call, but he hadn’t. So lost in his musings, AJ didn’t realize until too late that he’d gotten lost... again!

AJ stopped, frowning. He looked around, trying to figure out where he was in the vast stadium’s halls. He sighed in frustration, muttering under his breath, “All these damn halls look the same! How the hell are ya supposed to make heads or tails of it?!”

AJ slowly pirouetted, once again taking in his position. He was getting ticked. He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, silently fuming. He really didn’t want to wander all over the halls, only to get even more lost. He sighed, knowing he had no other choice. AJ pushed away from the wall, his hands moving up to grasp the ends of the white towel, pulling the damp material taunt over his neck as he again walked down the hallway. I really hate these damn catacomb wannabe stadiums. It’s like they want people to get lost!

As AJ took a right down a darker hallway, he went unawares of a dark figure within the shadows of a nearby closet. A gloved hand emerged from a dark pocket, holding a strange looking remote with several buttons, one of which was a deep red, another green. Along with these button was a metal switch. The gloved fingers gripped the device as AJ continued past, the thumb moving to cover the green button, pressing it. An almost imperceptible beep sounded, causing the dark figure to look up sharply.

AJ paused, he swore he just heard something. He slowly turned around, an uneasy feeling turning his stomach. Nothing was behind him, just the empty hall. Frowning, AJ released one end of the towel and ran the hand through his damp hair, nervous. Narrowing his eyes momentarily, AJ turned back around and continued down the hall.

The dark figure sagged in relief, quickly moving the gloved thumb to he switch, flipping it. The red button suddenly flashed brighter, the device activated. The figure checked AJ’s progress as it slid the thumb over the bright red button, seeing him to be in position. With a smile, the thumb depressed the red button, then the figure leaned back to enjoy the show.

AJ’s steps suddenly faltered, a gut feeling tripping him up. He stopped walking, darting his eyes around the hall in apprehension. He abruptly furrowed his eyebrows, tilting his head and sniffing audibly. AJ frowned.

“What the hell?” he muttered aloud, sniffing again, “Why do I smell smoke?”

Wary, AJ slowly continued down the hall, a familiar and missed sound suddenly reaching his ears. His eyes widened, his steps coming faster.

“Squeaker?!?” he cried, hearing his lost pet’s terrified squeaks. He rounded the corner and stopped dead, his sneakers screeching on the polished linoleum. Before him was another hall, but what caught his attention was one of the doorways. Smoke leaked out from under the door, slowly making the air around him hazy. AJ could hear his squirrel’s panicked squeaks coming from inside.

AJ rushed to the door, calling out to his pet. He hesitantly felt the door, then the doorknob, finding both cool. Satisfied, AJ tried the door, relieved when it opened. Smoke billowed out at him, causing him to cough as he inhaled some of the murky fumes.

“Damn,” he wheezed, trying to see into the hazy room. He knew he should try and find the others and the police, but he could hear Squeaker within and he didn’t know where he was anyways.

Then, through the haze, AJ spotted Squeaker. He was confined within a cage that was suspended above the floor a good five feet. It swayed slightly with the motions of his pet squirrel within as he desperately tried to escape.

Without hesitation, AJ entered the smokey room, approaching his pet’s cage. As he reached up for the latch on the cage’s wire door, he heard a noise from behind him. Jerking the wire door open and releasing his squirrel, AJ also looked behind him. All he saw was a dark arm and hand and then the door slammed shut.

Pure fear filled AJ as he gazed at the now closed door, his only exit. AJ dove at the shut door, grasping the knob and trying to turn it, not surprised to find it locked. Panicking, AJ could feel the small claws of Squeaker digging into his shoulder, the poor animal scared to death and breathing rather loudly, almost labored. AJ’s eyes began to water, the smoke increasing. Then AJ found the source of the thick smoke in the maintenance closet he was trapped in, the circuit breaker box, one of the many in the stadium, was spewing bright orange flames, barely discernible through the grayish white smoke. They now held AJ’s entire attention, since the now closed door had cast the room into darkness, the fire, though small, was still much too big for AJ to even attempt to put out. The flames now the only source of light and they cast the room in a wavering orange hue.

AJ pounded his fists on the door, yelling out for help until his voice cracked painfully and he suddenly broke out into a coughing fit, tears streaming down his face as he bent over with the force of the convulsions. He abruptly dropped to the ground, laying as flat as he could in the crowded room as the heat escalated and the smoke thickened above him. Finding some respite from the smoke, AJ hugged the floor while breathing in shallow gasps, becoming desperate for air. Beside him, Squeaker huddled in much the same fashion, the little body pressing as close as it could to AJ’s frame.

Finding a moment of clarity in his dimming thoughts, AJ pulled the damp towel off of his shoulders. He covered Squeaker with one end and pressed the other over his nose and mouth. The make shift filter blocked some of the thickening smoke, the oxygen in the captured water, though very little, helped his breathing, if only for a few extra minutes.

Soon, AJ felt his senses leaving him, becoming weaker and weaker as the smoke soon overpowered him, the heat of the fire behind him growing in intensity. AJ’s half hooded glazed eyes stared blankly as darkness slowly encroached the edges of his dimmed vision, his lungs seeming on fire themselves. As consciousness began to leave him, AJ choked out one word...

“Help...”
Chapter 7 by Refuse
Nick and Brian noisily clambered onto the stage, still arguing about only God knows what. Kevin and Howie still lay unmoving, dead asleep. As Nick and Brian approached their sleeping band mates’ forms they suddenly stop, their words abruptly falling away. At the same instant, Howie and Kevin snap awake, looking around with alert eyes.

Kevin grimaced at the pain spiking from his left forearm, but pushed it aside. He closed his eyes momentarily, furrowing his brow. He suddenly had the most sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach, his heart thumping madly in his chest. Something was wrong. He opened his eyes and could see the same uneasy looks on his three friends’ faces. Kevin paused, Three?

Kevin pushed to his feet, fixing Nick, Brian, and Howie with frightful green eyes, “Where’s AJ?”

Howie tensed, his heart skipping a beat for reasons he had yet to understand, “AJ? I thought...” Howie trailed off, his nervous brown eyes darting around the stage.

Brian swallowed, “I thought he was up here.”

Nick seemed to pale as he brought a hand to his chest, feeling his heart pounding from within. He pinned Kevin with terrified blue orbs, “Oh, God... He’s in trouble, I know it. We have to find him!”

Kevin nodded, his eyes becoming determined, “If he ain’t here, he went to shower. It’s the only reason he’d leave.” As Howie got to his feet, Kevin continued, “We go there, now.”

Without a word, the three followed Kevin’s purposeful strides down the stage stairs and toward the arena exit. The closer they got to the door, the stronger the panic they collectively felt grew. All four were soon in a dead run as Kevin blew past the guard and through the heavy door, his momentum carrying him further than he anticipated and into the opposite hall wall with a thud. Quickly recovering from the impact, Kevin whirled to face the four cops gazing at him in surprise, “You! Follow us! AJ’s gone!... You!” Kevin pointed to one of the cops, “Call an ambulance, NOW! Use your radios to tell ‘em where we’re at!” Then Kevin and the others took off toward the locker room in an all out run, four cops on their heels, one lagging as he frantically dialed 911 on a cell phone.

Howie glanced in front of him at Kevin, calling out, “Why the ambulance, Kevin?”

Howie watched as Kevin’s head bowed slightly as they ran, his chest tightening at the reply he received, “Just being realistic, Howie.”

As silence fell over their running forms, the four Backstreet Boys each had their own expression of anguish and fear on their faces, their motions tense as they flew down halls and around corners, heads flipping side to side for a sign of their missing friend. When they were halfway to the locker room, Kevin skidded to a stop, Nick and Howie slamming into him at the suddenness.

Kevin’s pained green eyes stared in fear down an adjacent hallway, a back hall that was hardly used since the one he stood in was easier access to the lockers. His eyes slowly registered the smoke that billowed from under a doorway in the center of the hall, the acrid smell assaulting his senses and snapping him back to reality as Howie’s voice rang out.

“AJ!” Howie knew AJ was in there, he knew it. He pushed past Kevin and ran to the door, shouting, “No! AJ?! Oh, God... This ain’t happening!”

Howie barely acknowledged it as his three friends joined him, too busy trying to open the door. Grasping the handle, Howie gasped and jerked his hand back, “Ow! Damn, it’s hot!”

Nick banged his fists hopelessly against the warm door, “AJ! ... C’mon, answer me! AJ!”

Brian raised his hands and gripped Nick’s shoulders, pulling him away from his fruitless endeavor. He tried to think of something, but his panicked mind came up blank.

“Back away!”

Brian, Howie, and Nick snapped their eyes to Kevin, who they hadn’t noticed leave. He now stood rigidly with a fire extinguisher in one hand, a policeman’s gun in the other. He shoved the extinguisher into Howie’s shocked hands, turning to the door and pushing Nick and Brian out out of the way, “Move.”

Brian stared at his cousin, eyeing the gun, “Kev, wha-”

He didn’t get to finish as Kevin lifted and aimed the gun, pulling the trigger. All three jumped noticeably at the loud crack, their eyes widening at the scene. The bullet exploded through the door’s lock, snapping it in two. Handing the gun back to the shocked cop, who didn’t even know Kevin had taken it from him, Kevin whipped the damaged door open.

Kevin almost fell back at the wave of heat and smoke that seemed to explode out at him, coughing and shying away. Nick and Brian ducked down, missing some of the escaping smoke. They fell to their knees, Brian reaching into the dark room. He gave a cry as his hand connected something covered in cloth, he closed his hand around it and pulled with a grunt, his other hand joining the effort. He soon had AJ’s form part way out, with a deep breath, Brian looped his arms under AJ’s and hauled back.

As soon as AJ was clear, Howie leapt into the room and extinguished the flames, which were consuming the entire back wall. Eyes watering and his breath coming in wheezes, Howie stumbled out of the room, dropping the now empty red canister on the floor with a hollow clang. He leaned against the wall, trying to get his breath back in the smoke clouded hall. He was somewhat recovered when a terrified shout snapped him alert, feeling as if his heart stopped.

“He’s not breathing!” Brian frantically looked over AJ, taking in the slack face, the normally pink lips pale and outlined with a tinge of blue, the tanned complexion an unnatural shade of white. Brian pressed his fingers to AJ’s neck, sighing in some small measure of relief, “He has a weak pulse, but he’s not breathing.” Brian looked up at his cousin, barely acknowledging the cop in the background shouting directions into a radio, “Kevin.”

Kevin nodded, needing no further urging. He knelt opposite of Brian beside AJ’s still form, sending his cousin a glance before trailing his fingers down the center of AJ’s chest from his neck, finding the spot and locking his hands together. He gave Brian a nod and Brian tilted AJ’s head back, pinching his nose closed.

With a deep breath, Kevin began the count and depressions, “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Breathe...” Brian leaned over and forced a breath into AJ’s mouth, Kevin counted again, gritting his teeth against the pain that shot up his arm, “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Breathe...” Brian repeated his earlier action, Kevin counted, “1, 2, 3, ...”

Nick could only sit back and watch, his stunned form propped against the wall he sat against. His glistening blue eyes stared unblinking, the scene playing out before him being lost somewhere between his eyes and brain. He couldn’t move.

Howie stared in horror as Kevin and Brian continued their efforts to revive AJ, the wall he leaned against being the only thing holding him up. Blinking, a movement at his feet caught his eye. He looked down and saw a white towel bunched up at his feet moving, like something was caught within. Falling to his knees, Howie reached a shaking hand out, pulling the towel away from whatever was struggling within. Howie’s eyes crinkled and several tears escaped as Squeaker appeared before him. The squirrel seemed a little disoriented, but other than that, fine. Howie reached forward and picked the exhausted squirrel up, cradling the small animal to his chest as he stood, his eyes settling on his best friend, “Aw... AJ, damn it... Why’d ya do it?”

A sudden flurry of activity descended upon the desperate group, EMTs quickly yet gently moving Brian and Kevin out of the way. Kevin didn’t want to move.

“Hey, c’mon Kevin,” urged a familiar voice, “You gotta let us help him.”

Kevin looked up at Alec’s kind face, the hazel eyes concerned. Kevin nodded and began to move, “Okay.”

Brian stumbled out of the way, trying to give the EMTs room. He watched as they examined AJ and called out to each other.

“Swelling of the airway tissues is closing off the airway!”

“We’re losin’ him!”

“We gotta insert an endotracheal tube! Force his airway open!”

Brian watched in stunned silence as the EMTs forced a clear plastic tube down AJ’s throat, not realizing that he grimaced at the sight. An air bag was attached to the end of the tube and one of the EMTs rhythmically compressed it.

“Okay! We got ‘im!”

“All right, let’s get him loaded up. Have the O2 ready!”

As they loaded AJ’s form onto a gurney, Alec turned to the four singers. He bit his lip, “We’re takin’ him to the ER. Only one of you can ride along.”

Kevin looked at Howie, seeing the intense worry and fear in the brown eyes. Kevin rested a hand on Howie’s shoulder, “Go on, D’. We’ll meet you there.”

Howie hesitated slightly, looking from Kevin to AJ’s still face and back to Kevin. Kevin squeezed the shoulder in his grasp, “Go.”

With a slight nod, Howie handed Kevin Squeaker and followed the EMTs as they wheeled AJ out of the hall exit and into the late morning sun. Kevin stared at the small animal in his arms and cursed, now knowing what had coerced AJ to enter the burning maintenance closet.

Brian watched until the door slammed shut and closed off his view of his two friends, closing his eyes with a sigh while running a hand through his tousled hair. He turned around as the wail of the ambulance grew faint, glancing at Kevin who had Squeaker cradled in his hands. Brian frowned, not liking what the animal’s presence portrayed. The sound of a shallow gasp of air caught his attention, causing him to turn and look behind him. He felt his gut clench as the huddled form of Nick filled his vision.

“Nick?” Brian kneeled beside his friend. Nick was sitting with his back to the wall, his knees drawn up towards his chest with his elbows leaning on their support. His short blond hair fell over his forehead as it leaned on his clasped hands, his whole form rocking back and forth. Brian bit his lip, glancing up at Kevin’s worried face, “Nick, you okay?”

A short, hoarse sob escaped Nick’s lips as he snapped his face around to look at Brian, “No!... I’m not okay.”

Brian had to lean back, the raw anguish displayed on Nick’s tear streaked face startling him to speechlessness. Nick clenched his eyes shut, shaking his head as he unclasped his hands, raising them to rub his face and eyes. He raked them trough his hair, his bangs flipping back over his forehead. Nick stared at nothing as he spoke in a tearful voice, “God no, Brian. How the hell can I be okay? AJ-” Nick closed his eyes, several tears sliding down his wet face, he drew in a trembling breath, “AJ... He’s... he’s....”

“He’s gonna be fine,” stated Brian firmly, gripping Nick’s arm, “It’s AJ, he’s tougher than anyone. He’ll be fine.”

Nick shook his head, his eyes boring into Brian’s, “He didn’t look fine, Brian. He wasn’t breathing...”

“Hey, c’mon, Nick,” spoke Kevin, his voice having a suspicious catch in it, “They got him breathing, Frack. He’ll be okay. ... C’mon, we have to go.”

Nick never looked up as Brian and Kevin gripped his arms and hauled him to his feet, all three turning and walking out the exit, several police officers sadly shadowing them. They walked around the corner of the stadium in silence, eventually arriving at Brian’s SUV and climbing in, Brian and Kevin, with Squeaker asleep in his lap, in front and Nick in back. As soon as the police car that had waited for their arrival waved them on, they drove to the hospital. The entire trip, no one spoke. Perhaps, they couldn’t.

As Brian pulled to a stop in the hospital parking lot, a weight seemed to push them down. Brian’s hands flexed around the steering wheel before he relinquished his hold, twisting in his seat to release his seat belt. The silence between them was deafening, but none of them could manage the effort of speaking. Fear and worry had stolen their strength away. As they exited the SUV, they were immediately accompanied by several police officers, who followed them as they almost reluctantly entered the hospital’s front doors.

Brian barely acknowledged the nurse as he asked the whereabouts of AJ McLean, explaining that he was brought in just a few minutes ago. She directed him and the others to the waiting room, since AJ was still being treated. Brian was glad she hadn’t noticed Squeaker in Kevin’s hand, which he kept to the side of his body to shield the animal from sight. Brian finally glanced at Kevin and Nick’s faces before turning to go to the waiting room where Howie most likely awaited them. Nick’s face was blank, the previous tears gone as if they weren’t ever there. Kevin’s face was caught in-between controlled and torn, his jaw set while his eyes shined with tears he held back. Brian found himself to be calm, almost detached. He didn’t think it had hit him yet, hadn’t sunk in.

Brian cleared his throat, finally finding his voice, “C’mon, let’s go see how Howie’s doin’.”

Nick said nothing while Kevin pursed his lips and nodded, then paused and roughly swiped his free hand through his dark hair, “I can’t believe we’re doin’ this, it shouldn’t of happened.”

Brian sighed, “Well, it did, Kev. We gotta face it and believe AJ’ll be fine. He’s got to be.”

Nick’s face seemed to flinch slightly, but Brian wasn’t sure. They walked to the waiting room and upon entering, found Howie in a chair, head in his hands. No one else occupied the room. The police watched Nick, Brian, and Kevin enter, then stood outside the door.

Brian fell into a chair beside Howie, leaning over to try and see his face while placing a hand on Howie’s shoulder, “Hey, ‘D. You doin’ okay?”

Howie didn’t raise his head, “My best friend is in the hospital, Brian. What do you think?”

Brian worried his bottom lip, sending glances at Nick and Kevin, who now occupied the chairs opposite him. Kevin had placed Squeaker on the next chair’s cushion, where the squirrel still slept in an exhausted sleep, curled in a tight ball. Brian looked back at Howie, “I’m sorry, ‘D. I just wanted to know from you, I know this is hard.”

He heard Howie sigh, then he sat back as Howie straightened in his chair and looked at him. The brown eyes were red from crying, a scared look on the Spanish features, “They haven’t said anything, Bri’. Why haven’t they come said somethin’? They’re takin’ too long... “

Brian again bit his lip, his chest tightening as the reality of why he was sitting there finally sank in. He stared at the floor as he gripped Howie’s arm briefly, “He’ll be okay, ‘D. AJ will be fine...”

Nick broke, “He wasn’t breathing, Brian! How the hell can he be okay if he wasn’t breathing?!?”

Brian watched as Howie paled before him, the brown eyes filling with clear liquid once again. Brian turned to Nick, sending him a brief glare, “They got him breathing, Nick. We told you that. AJ’ll be fine.”

Nick scoffed, his bright blue eyes narrowing as he leaned back in his chair while Kevin stared at him with wide eyes. Nick lowered his voice, “He’ll be fine, you say. You don’t know that, Brian. He could be dead for all we know.”

“Nick!” snapped Kevin, finally brought out of his shock. He blinked his green eyes, releasing several long held tears. “Don’t say that! Don’t you ever say that!”

Nick’s eyes flashed as he faced Kevin, “Don’t you even start tellin’ me what to do, Kevin! I’m freakin’ 21 years old! Why don’t you do me a favor and shut u-”

Nick’s voice broke off abruptly, his face suddenly paling. Brian blinked, Nick looked terrified. What the hell was that? Brian glanced at Howie and Kevin, who both stared at Nick’s suddenly silent form. Brian shifted his seat, “Nick?”

Nick blinked, then his face scrunched up in pain. He leaned over and held his head in his hands, his fingers threading through his blond hair, “Oh, God...”

Kevin placed a hesitant hand on Nick’s back, “Nick? What’s wrong? Why’d you say all that?”

Nick’s hands drew away from his hair and covered his face, he shook his head. Kevin felt Nick begin to shake, then the sound of muffled sobs filled the room. Howie got up and went to sit on the other side of Nick, his own tears still present. He reached his hands out and pulled Nick’s hands away from his face, the blond not able to resist Howie’s firm grip. Howie frowned at Nick’s clenched eyes as his form still shook from the sobbing that he now tried to get back under control, “What is it, Nick? Tell us.”

Nick tried to take long breaths, finally opening his eyes and staring at the floor. He set his mouth in a firm line, jaw set as tears still slid down his face from his glistening eyes.

Brian saw this and scooted his chair so it sat right in front of Nick, “C’mon, Nick. Your not tellin’ us somethin’. Spill.”

Nick lifted his head, his eyes squinting as he looked at Brian, then Howie, then Kevin, and back to Brian. He sniffed, then spoke in a small voice, “I yelled at him.”

Brian glanced at Kevin and Howie, “At who? AJ?”

Nick bit his lip and nodded. He twisted his hands out of Howie’s grasp and leaned back, bringing one hand up to grip his hair, “God... The last thing I do is yell at him... I told him to shut up! And now he’s...”

“Hey, c’mon Nick,” soothed Brian, putting a smile on his face, “He knows you didn’t mean anything by it. This is AJ we’re talkin’ about!”

Nick glared, “Brian, he could die. AJ could die... and the last thing I told him was shut up. I could never take it back!”

“Nick,” spoke Kevin, waiting until Nick’s eyes landed on him, “AJ will get through this, I believe that. I believe it in my heart, he’ll make it.”

Nick stared at Kevin, the green eyes staring back resolved in his words, determined. Nick could only nod his head. If Kevin and the others can believe that... how come I can’t?

“Um... Excuse me?”

Four worried faces snapped up at the new voice, each settling on the tall man in white that stood in the doorway of the waiting room, a clipboard in his hands. Howie stood, the others following suit.

The doctor smiled at them, “Are you here for an AJ McLean?”

Howie nodded, “How is he? Is he okay?”

The doctor continued to smile and glanced down at his clipboard before reaching a hand out to them, shaking their hands as he introduced himself, “I’m Dr. Anderson. I was the doctor who was assigned to your AJ.”

“Well, I’m Howie and that’s Brian, Kevin, and Nick,” replied Howie, gesturing to each one. “So, how is AJ?”

Dr. Anderson let out a sigh, his eyes glancing through his clipboard again, “Mr. McLean is a lucky man. For the amount of time that we surmise he was subjected to the smoke, he should of had some serious injury to his lungs, but surprisingly, there is none.” He paused, looking over the four, “They tell me that you performed CPR?”

Brian nodded, “Kev and I did... was that wrong?”

“Oh, no!” Dr. Anderson quickly answered, “On the contrary, you saved his life.”

Kevin smiled at Brian, mouthing ‘Thank God for 4-H.’ Brian nodded, grinning. He never thought what he had learned then would ever come in so handy, that’s the second time.

Mr. Anderson continued his explanation, “You kept his airway from swelling shut, which prevented serious injury to his lungs. Mr. McLean woke up briefly and was able to answer a few questions, he spoke of a damp towel that he’d covered his nose and mouth with. That, undoubtedly, prolonged his chances and stopped a majority of the fumes from entering his lungs.” Dr. Anderson looked confused for a moment, “Although, I have still to figure out why he kept mentioning the word ‘Squeaker’.” He shook his head and looked at his clipboard, missing the knowing smiles on the four’s faces.

The doctor continued, “Mr. McLean avoided smoke inhalation lung damage by his use of the damp towel and by your administration of CPR, plus the immediate medical attention and the subjection of pure oxygen. At the scene he needed the assistance of an endotracheal tube, which kept his airway open until he could be administered the O2. He is now breathing normally, so we have removed it. We do still have him on oxygen, just until his lungs adjust.” Dr. Anderson looked up and smiled, “He’ll be fine. I’m not even admitting him, he is free to go after a few hours.”

Smiles and relief broke out on each of their faces, Howie spoke, “Really? He’s fine? ... Can we see him?”

Dr. Anderson nodded, “Sure, if you’ll follow me...”

They began to follow him out when Kevin stopped. He nonchalantly turned and discreetly scooped up the sleeping Squeaker, then he glanced around. He grabbed a couple magazines and put one on either side of the squirrel, then carefully tucked them under his arm and hurried out of the room to catch up with the others, a smile on his face.

Dr. Anderson led them down several hallways and stopped at room 218, “Now, this room is only temporary. It was vacant so we placed him in it for safety and... security.” He sent them a knowing glance.

They nodded, understanding. No matter what happened, they were still a famous music group. With a smile, the doctor opened the door and gestured them in, “I’ll leave you to your privacy. All I ask is that you take it easy with him, his lungs aren’t damaged, but they will be somewhat strained for a little while.”

They nodded and entered the room, listening as the doctor closed the door and left. Slowly, they approached the far bed that a large window illuminated with the bright sunlight. They stopped at the bed and stared. AJ laid sleeping, his face as pale as before but his lips are their normal pink color underneath an oxygen mask instead of the remembered blue tinge. He looked so frail. It didn’t suit him.

Howie went and pulled a chair up to his friend’s side, sitting and then glancing at the others before tentatively speaking, “AJ? Hey, Bone... you wanna wake up for us?”

AJ’s head moved slightly, his eyelids fluttering. Kevin smiled and laid down the magazines on the end of the bed, reaching a hand out and pinching AJ’s toes hidden beneath the covers, “AJ, wake up!”

The foot jerked out of Kevin’s grasp and AJ snapped awake. He blinked and then looked for the culprit, his gaze landing on Kevin. He glared at the smiling face, then sighed and smiled, “Hey, guys.”

AJ’s voice was a low rasp, muffled even more by the oxygen mask. Kevin stayed at the end of the bed while Brian moved to stand beside Howie, grinning at AJ. Nick moved to the other side of AJ, but seemed more interested in looking out the large window then at AJ.

Howie grinned, “Hey, bud. How ya feelin’?”

AJ pushed himself up, grimacing, “Embarrassed. They made me wear one of those damned gowns!” AJ gestured to his attire, “AJ McLean don’t wear no gown!”

Howie, Brian, and Kevin burst out laughing and AJ smiled back, but he frowned when he looked over to Nick, who still stared out the window, “Hey, Kaos! What ya doin’ over there?”

Nick jumped slightly, then slowly turned around and looked at AJ, “Nothin’.”

AJ raised an eyebrow, raising a hand to adjust the mask over his nose and mouth, he was getting annoyed with it, “You gonna join the party here or keep to yerself?”

Nick shrugged, AJ sighed and looked at the others, wondering what was going on. Finding no answers, he turned back to Nick, “What’s wrong, kid?”

Nick stared for a minute, then whispered, “I’m sorry.”

Now both of AJ’s eyebrows rose, “Sorry? For what?”

“I yelled at you, told you to shut up.” Nick looked away.

AJ looked confused, then slowly remembered, “Aw hell, Nick! Yer upset over that? It didn’t mean anything, Frack. We were cranky after rehearsals, we always are. It was nothin’, Nick. Forget about it, I have.”

Nick’s blue eyes searched AJ’s face, “You mean it? Your okay with it?”

“Yep!” smiled AJ, “Now get over here!”

Nick looked down and grinned, then sat in the other chair beside AJ’s bed. He still kept his gaze down though, “Thanks, ‘J. I’m glad you’re gonna be okay.”

AJ watched Nick, then his face turned serious and he removed the mask from his face. Howie spoke, “AJ...”

AJ waved him off, he lifted an arm and slapped Nick on the shoulder. Nick looked at him with shining eyes and AJ reached his arms out, “C’mere, Nicky.”

Nick hesitated a second and then practically launched himself at AJ, hugging his friend tightly, his blond head buried in AJ’s chest, “Don’t you ever do that again, AJ. It hurts too much.”

AJ returned the hug, “Not if I can help it, Nicky. I didn’t like it anymore than you.”

A muffled squeak reached their ears and AJ stiffened. Nick leaned back and looked at the end of the bed, then laughed. AJ stared as another muffled squeak came from the magazines at his feet, a whiskered nose soon poking out from the papers, cautiously sniffing the air.

AJ’s jaw dropped, “Squeaker?!”

The nose paused, hearing the voice and then scrambling from the magazines with a loud squeak, running up to AJ’s shocked form. AJ caught the squirrel in mid leap and stared, then looked at Kevin and the others, “How the hell did you get him in here?”

“Very carefully,” smiled Brian, a little teary eyed after the previous display. That’s why we’re family. He thought, smiling at Nick, We’re here for each other. No matter what.

AJ smiled and looked back at his squirrel, “Man, am I ever glad to see you, buddy. That bitch didn’t hurt you, did she?”

Squeaker squeaked and then stuck out his tongue, shaking his head. AJ and the others burst out laughing, Howie stared at AJ, “How’d you teach him that?”

AJ smirked, “I didn’t. He’s smarter than you think.”

Kevin tapped AJ’s foot for his attention, “So, you ready to get out of here?”

“Hell yeah!” AJ glared around the room, “I hate hospitals.”

They grinned, then the door to their room opened and Chief O’Rielly walked in. All five silently groaned. Kevin was the first to address the police chief, “Chief O’Rielly, to what do we owe this visit?”

O’Rielly stopped before them, “I wanted to express my apologies for this happening, I take full responsibility. This never should of happened.”

AJ placed the oxygen mask back over his nose and mouth, muttering, “Damn straight it never shoulda happened. Stupid cops.”

Howie covertly slapped AJ on the arm, “Ow! What?”

Howie just gave him a look. O’Rielly continued, “I also feel I should relay to you the information we’ve been able to gather.”

AJ straightened, Now we’re talkin’.

O’Rielly cleared his throat, “We’ve recieved a note from the woman and she left her name, or atleast what she is calling herself. She signed the note, Lalita. We researched the name and the only thing we came up with is what it means.”

O'Rielly paused. Kevin sighed, “Well, what does it mean?”

O’Rielly looked at each of them, “She who plays.”

AJ scowled, “Figures.”

“I’ve also recieved the results of the fire’s cause,” informed O’Rielly, “We found the remains of a trigger that short-circuited the circuit breaker box by remote. Also, we found that all the sprinklers were disabled in that immediate area. This accident Lalita set up was meant to kill. She wasn’t playing this time.”

All five were silent, O’Rielly continued after a deep breath, “I suggest you postpone the concert, she’s getting serious.”

He recieved five loud ‘No!’s in response, he sighed, “I wanted to make what I recommend known, but I won’t force the issue. It’s your choice. I’ll leave you to your business now, we have a lead at the prison that may help us out. I’ll keep you up to date.”

With that, O’Rielly left the five and walked out the door and past the two officers who stood guard.

They were silent for a long time before AJ spoke, “We’re doin’ the concert.”

The other four nodded, Brian spoke, “You sure you’re up to it, though?”

AJ guffawed, then smiled, “I’m fine. As the doc said to me, I’m a lucky man!” He puffed out his chest, placing Squeaker on his lap, “Yep, no one can beat the old AJ McLean.”

Kevin smiled mischievously and looked pointedly at Brian, “Yeah, if it weren’t for that damp towel and the CPR... who knows.”

AJ froze, “Um, excuse me? CPR?”

Brian smiled back at Kevin, having caught on. He turned to AJ, his smile gone, “Yeah, CPR was done on ya before the ‘medics arrived.”

AJ looked aghast, his words stammering out as they smiled at him, “B- before? ...the ‘medics arrived?” They nodded and he glanced around at each of them, “Oh, God... Please, please tell me there was a pretty girl around...”

Their smiles widened and AJ paled, “No... ...who?”

Brian grinned and leaned towards AJ, batting his eyes and puckering his lips. AJ promptly looked horrified and shoved Brian away, “Oh, dear GOD!” AJ immediately began spitting and wiping his mouth, looking absolutely disgusted. His friends just laughed their heads off, Brian repeating his earlier gesture and approaching AJ’s form.

Outside room 218, two cops looked at each other curiously as a yell reached their ears from within the room they guarded.

“BRIAN!! DAMN IT!! GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!!”

~/~/~/~/~(5 p.m.(5 1/2 hours later), Florida State Penitentiary)~~~~~

O’Rielly paced the cell, sending glares at the man before him. He stopped, “Will you or will you not cooperate?”

The man grinned, “I’ll go along with ya, I guess. She can’t do nothin’.”

“Good,” sighed O’Rielly, “Now, tell me why she’s after the Backstreet Boys.”

He smiled, “Revenge.”

O’Rielly was getting pissed, “Damn it, Mr. Ruthers! I need answers!”

“Please,” placated the man, “Call me Cal.”

O’Rielly scowled, “Fine, Cal, why does Lalita want revenge on the Backstreet Boys?”

“That’s easy, they killed Jake.”

“And why would that bother her?” asked O’Rielly, glad to finally be getting somewhere, “She don’t care about you or the other one killed, Zack.”

Cal smiled, “She loved him, but she didn’t know until she was in jail and had time to think. I think it made her even more insane. She’s gonna get him even if it kills her.”

O’Rielly froze, “She’s gonna get him?” O’Rielly thought a moment, and he could only think of one that was actually close to be killed, “AJ McLean?”

Cal guffawed, “Nah, she just don’t like him. Been meanin’ to get him ever since he almost took care of her at the cabin. She wants the one who actually killed Jake to suffer, then she’ll kill ‘im.”

O’Rielly racked his brain, trying to remember in the report who had been the one to take Jake out. Then it flashed into his mind, “Nick Carter.”

Cal smirked and nodded.

It all started to come together in O’Rielly’s mind. She wants him to suffer like she did, then she’d kill him. The bomb, Nick was right there. The car chase, a distraction perhaps? Or to be able to get at Nick’s friends and he couldn’t do anything about it. Brian’s fake shooting, to have Nick watch the one he cares for most supposedly being killed... ...Nick being targeted and almost rundown by the Ram... Wait, Nick was wearing Brian’s clothes, wasn’t he?

O’Rielly’s eyes widened as he stared at Cal, who again nodded.

That’s it!

O’Rielly slammed his fist on the barred door, barking out, “Let me out!”

The door opened and he hustled through, soon hurrying out the prison doors and to his police cruiser. He quickly got in and grabbed his cell phone, “Trevors! I know what she’s after-... ... ...-you understand?! ... Good! I’m leavin’ now, I only hope we’ll make it in time!”

O’Rielly disconnected the call and threw it onto the passengers seat. He started his car and slammed on the gas, the tires squealing as he peeled out of the parking lot and back to Orlando, back to the stadium...
Chapter 8 by Refuse
As the SUV entered the stadium parking lot, AJ looked away from his gaze out the window to smile and nod his head to his friends as they asked of his health for the hundredth time since being released from the hospital. He tolerated the overprotectiveness, knowing his friends needed the reassurance, but... it was getting irritating. You could answer the same question only so many times before the repetitiveness got to you, his previous experience of dealing with overdone questions such as: favorite food, color, music, type of girl... went right out the window as he reached the end of his patience, the SUV coming to a stop.

Kevin grasped AJ’s arm at the elbow as he helped him out of the SUV, his eyes dark with concern, “You doin’ okay, ‘J?”

AJ momentarily frowned and gritted his teeth, then forced his smile back into place, “Flyin’ high, macho man. I told you, I’m fine.”

Kevin pressed his lips together and nodded slightly, releasing AJ’s arm, “Okay, good. Just makin’ sure, that’s all.”

AJ thumped Kevin on the back, “Relax, Kevvy. I’m just fine.”

As Nick and Brian exited the front, Howie stepped out of the SUV and immediately fixed his eyes on the rebel, “Hey, you all right?”

His patience waning to a mere thread, AJ let out a short breath, “I’m fine.”

Brian and Nick joined the small group, Brian spoke, “Feelin’ okay, Bone?”

Patience has left the building, AJ threw his hands up, “I’m FINE!”

All four of his friends drew back, Brian let out a low whistle, “All right, jeez! Just askin’.”

AJ guffawed, “You’ve all been just askin’ for the entire time since I left the hospital!” Pausing, AJ forced himself to breath deeply to pull a tighter rein on his temper and to ease the sudden burning in his lungs at his outburst. Finally, he carefully sighed and looked apologetically at his four friends, “Look, I’m sorry, but... You gotta let up a little, I’m fine. The doctors wouldn’ta let me go if I wasn’t. So, you guys just gotta chill a bit. Okay?”

Howie glanced at the others, all of them showing slight embarrassment for their rather motherly actions. He faced AJ, “We’re sorry, ‘J. We just, well... that was- was pretty real, ya know? We thought you might not of... um...” Howie cleared his throat, sharing a brief glance with Nick, “We thought we lost you, AJ. We didn’t like that, and... We just need to be sure you really are still here.”

AJ’s eyes softened and he smiled, “Hey, no worries, bro’. I’m still here and plan on stayin’ here for a loooooong time!”

Howie grinned and shook his head, “Lord help us all.”

“Hey!” cried AJ in mock hurt as he took a halfhearted swiped at Howie’s head, to which the Latino easily avoided.

Kevin let out a relieved laugh, “C’mon, you guys. We got a concert to do!”

Brian smiled and looped an arm around Nick’s shoulders, pulling the quiet blond along as they all began to walk to the stadium doors. He smirked and tried to lighten the mood, singing out, “We’ve been through days of thunder! Some people said we don’t belong! They tried to pull us under! But here we stand together and we’re millions strong...”

With lighter hearts, the five chorused together as they entered the stadium, “Let’s get on with the show!”

Nick truly grinned for the first time since the nightmare began again, “Let’s get started!”

“Turn the lights down low!”

Nick shimmied ahead as they entered the arena, his voice echoing in the spacious room, “Turn the lights down low!”

The others grinned and continued, “You were there from the start!”

“You were there!”

Brian stepped forward and crouched down towards the floor, singing out mysteriously, “And this one goes out to...”

“Everyone!”

They all broke out laughing, feeling at ease for the first time in the last two days. AJ suddenly plopped down into one of the many chairs, fighting hard to cease his laughter. His breath wheezed as he gasped for breath, his chest burning. He let out a few quiet coughs and finally got himself under control, his head lolling back onto the chair’s support, “Whew! As much as I hate to admit it, I don’t think I’m gonna be able to do much tonight, guys.”

Their laughing immediately stopped as they stared in concern at AJ, Kevin approached him, “Are you all right?”

AJ smiled, “Yeah, just can’t overdo it, I guess. Seems when I get excited, my breathing gets kinda hard and my chest burns a bit.” At the four faces of fear that met his words, AJ hurriedly continued, “Don’t worry! If I just take it easy, I’m fine. The Doc said I shouldn’t get too excited. I’m gonna be in the concert, though.” AJ grinned, his eyes twinkling, “I think I can handle the slower, more relaxed songs. Besides, I’ll have more time to entice the ladies this way!”

They all smiled in relief, Kevin sat down beside AJ, “Just don’t go breakin’ any hearts, ya here?”

AJ pouted, “I resent that insinuation, Kev.”

“C’mon,” voiced Howie, “We gotta start gettin’ ready. We’ve got sound checks and stuff to get over with, then it’s the concert.”

Nick smiled and shook his head, “You takin’ over Kevin’s job, Howie?”

“Whatever works,” he smiled, “C’mon, the concert’s in just a few hours.”

~/~/~/~/~( )~~~~~

Gloved hands gripped the gun, manipulating the weapon into readiness with a metallic snapping as the sliding mechanism over the barrel performed its duty and induced its dexterity of immediate discharge.

Her primary weapon now cocked and ready, Lalita smiled at her men. Three men in dark clothing and face masks stood before her, awaiting her orders. She chuckled, her ice blue eyes gleaming in anticipation. The game was now coming to its end, her demented satisfaction of revenge to soon be fulfilled.

Lalita suddenly laughed, causing her men to once again question their choice of being under her command. She obviously either didn’t care or notice their discomfort and simply reveled in her own sick world of darkness and hate, of violence and death, of power and control.

Her plan was she had no plan. She would let it fall as fate demanded. She was ready and willing to die, so long as she achieved her goal of ultimate revenge, to deliver the suffering she had endured this last year to the one that had caused it. He would pay, pay the price she had paid. He would feel the guilt, the loss, and the utter raw pain as it sliced through his rotten heart. Feel it burn away at his soul forever until it finally gave mercy and took his life, be it today or a hundred years, it wouldn’t matter. Time was of no circumstance, the suffering was unbearable no matter how long the person felt it.

Lalita smiled and breathed a serene sigh, God it felt good.

She looked at her men again, “Is it ready?”

One nodded, “Yes, boss. It should go the way you want.”

“Should?” she sneered, raising her free hand to her short blond hair. She gripped her fingers around the edge of her hairline and pulled back, shaking her head in the process. Shoulder length, ebony hair fell and shimmered about her pale face as the wig was lifted away. She stared down at the wig in her hands before briskly tossing it away, “It damn well better go my way.”

~/~/~/~/~( 1 hour’s drive outside of Orlando, on the highway )~~~~~

O’Rielly held the steering wheel firmly, his hands like fists around it. The wail of his cruiser’s siren echoed around him as he weaved through traffic, his actions past being reckless, more aptly described as desperate.

His steel gray eyes flitted to his dash clock, his jaw clenching as he returned his gaze to the road before him and pressed his foot down further on the accelerator. The cruiser surged forward, the speedometer pushing one hundred.

O’Rielly’s eyes crinkled in worry as he whispered a soft mantra, the words he uttered forth a useless effort to gain back time, “C’mon, c’mon, c’mon... gotta make it, just gotta... c’mon, faster... let’s go... move it, ya damn car!... C’mon, get out of the way!... Can’t ya hear the damn siren?... ...C’mon, c’mon, c’mon...”

As the minutes rolled slowly by, O’Rielly swore he could feel the gray hair at his temples spread further into his short black hair. Every minute that dragged by seemed to age the police chief ten years, his state of mind being only to get to the stadium before it was too late.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, he squealed onto the Orlando turnpike. He quickly turned off and toward the stadium a few miles away. A flash of small relief sliced through him as he was joined by multiple police cars, sirens wailing and lights flashing brightly in the dusk of approaching night.

Again, for the hundredth time, O’Rielly glanced at the clock. He swore and grabbed his cell phone from the seat beside him, his other hand distractedly steering the car as he fumbled to dial the correct numbers. He placed the phone to his ear and as soon as he heard the line picked up, barked out his orders, “Get me ambulances over to the stadium immediately! I’m not takin’ any chances! Radio all available personnel to haul ass to that stadium, we’re goin’ ta have ourselves a riot with all those people! We NEED backup! ASAP!!”

O’Rielly cut the call off and stared straight ahead, his peripheral vision capturing the whereabouts of the police cruisers around him. He began taking deep breaths as fear and adrenaline surged through him, willing himself to stay in control. He had to gain control of the situation, no matter what it may turn out to be. He had to, the very lives of the Backstreet Boys depended on it.

~/~/~/~/~( at the stadium, below stage )~~~~~

“Y’all ready?” asked Brian, adjusting his long black coat about his shoulders, an action he had performed six times already.

Nick nodded, running a hand through his hair for the tenth time that night, “As ever... ...you scared?”

Brian looked at Nick, a half smile on his face, “As ever.”

The other three nodded their heads, their eyes nervous not only of the coming show, but of the danger they could very well be running straight into. Howie kept shifting his weight from one foot to another, his dark eyes glancing about, “You think we can do this?”

Kevin stepped up beside Howie and gripped a reassuring hand at the back of Howie’s neck, “Absolutely. Once we get out there, everything else but the concert will go away.”

AJ forced himself to keep his breathing normal, “She wouldn’t do anything before all those people anyway...” AJ paused, his face suddenly uncertain as he gazed at his friends, “Would she?”

Silence answered him as they all simply stared, millions of possible scenarios tumbling through their minds. All five visible jumped as the lights when out and the crowd screamed, the arrival of the Backstreet Boys on stage imminent.

Brian’s voice rose above the roaring noise, “Show time! C’mon, we can do this!!”

Carefully, all five of them went to their platforms and held on. Soon, they felt the platforms begin to rise and before long, they rose above stage and were faced with thousands of screaming fans and flashing lights. Dry ice floated around them and made their ascent that much more dramatic as they eventually reached their positions in a staggering pyramid with Brian at center and the highest. To his right was Howie and then Nick, to his left it was AJ, then Kevin.

Brian felt his chest tighten with adrenaline and a new emotion, an emotion he had never before experienced while he performed.

Fear.

Fear still held him hostage. In every face before him he swore he saw Lalita, swore he saw her demonic smile, swore he felt her ice blue eyes upon him, watching his every move. Somehow, he forced himself through the paces of the first few steps of the show, his hands beginning to sweat.

When it came time for him to sing, his voice faltered slightly, but grew stronger as he continued and focussed all his attention on his singing, “We- We’ve been through days of thunder! Some people said we don’t belong! They tried to pull us under, but here we stand together and we’re millions strong!”

The others were ready and joined in, “Let’s get on with the show!”

Nick’s voice came out somewhat strained and shaky, “Let’s get started!”

The words didn’t come as easily as they had when they had arrived at the stadium two hours prior, their hearts now throbbing mercilessly within their chests, “Turn the lights down low!”

Nick turned his complete attention to the song and this time his voice came forth steadier, “Turn the lights down low!”

“You were there from the start!” Halfway through that last line, AJ broke off, abruptly cover his face mic as he coughed. He felt a hand on his shoulder and, taking steadying breaths, turned to see Kevin. AJ shook his head, his breath still wheezing slightly. Kevin nodded and gave him one last pat before looking away.

Nick’s next line echoed around the arena, “You were there!”

AJ wandered over to one of the side arms of the stage, giving attention to the fans before him as he gave himself a breather. Brian let out a quick, short breath before his line, “And this one goes out to...”

“Everyo-...!”

They broke off as the entire rear of the stage exploded in pyro and flames, smoke rising to the ceiling in an enormous rolling, gray-white plume. Nick, Howie, Brian and Kevin, still standing on center stage, were thrown forward by the shock wave of the blast. They landed hard on the metal stage, face down as the audience screamed in terror, the explosion casting off debris of every shape and size. The former rear part of the stage now rained down upon the helpless four men.

AJ, still on the right side arm of the stage, was thrown to the side, a flying metal pipe catching him hard in the left shoulder. AJ was aware enough to see himself falling to the cement floor below and hastily threw an arm out for one of the cables in an attempt to stay on stage. His right hand caught the cable and halted his descent, the throbbing in his shoulder slowly becoming all too apparent to AJ as the white hot spikes of pain reached through the fog of his mind.

Weakly, AJ pulled himself fully onto the solid side stage floor and laid still. He closed his eyes and tried to will the pain away, even as he felt a hot, sticky wetness trickle down his back. A shroud of blackness soon overcame his mind.

~/~/~/~/~( )~~~~~

Howie groaned and tried to push himself up, but something prevented him. A heavy weight pressed down on his back and panic soon shot through him at the inability to move. With his frantic movements to try and extricate himself from the imprisoning weight, a stab of pain shot up his right leg. Howie gasped and abruptly ceased his struggles, eyes and hands clenching in an effort to ride out the wave of pain.

As the pain became bearable, Howie relaxed and laid back down on the stage. He could hear the panicked screams all around him, but tuned them out. Opening his eyes, he looked around. He gasped. Parts of the rear stage and rigging were strewn around him in an almost erratic disarray, but the images before him that cut through his heart the worst was the sight of three of his friends caught beneath the debris.

His soft, pain filled brown eyes fixated on the closest one to him, a mere arms’ length away. He reached out with his right hand, his fingers just brushing the short, blond locks.

“Nick?” he croaked out, his voice strained by pain and fear. He didn’t seem to notice as the panicked screams seemed to die off suddenly. Howie desperately wanted a response from Nick, whose face was turned away and not visible to Howie’s worried eyes, “Nick?” He tried again, his shaking fingers trembling as they stroked through the blond hair.

Suddenly, Howie’s hand froze and his face paled. Slowly, his mind impossibly calm, he drew his hand away from Nick and toward his face. His wide brown eyes stared at his blood covered fingers, his hand shaking more noticeably as the reality of what he saw inevitably sank in.

Denial flashed upon Howie’s face, “No! Nick?! ... NICK! C’mon, answer me!!”

At the continued silence from his blond friend, Howie slammed his bloodied hand down upon the stage with surprising force, “Damn it! NICK!!”

“How- Howie?” came a whisper, the voice rough and strained.

Howie’s face snapped to his left, his eyes widening as he watched Kevin dragging himself out from under a large fallen metal beam. The metal clanged noisily down upon the stage as Kevin heaved himself away from its weight, collapsing and rolling away from the debris.

Howie blinked, “Kev?... KEV! You okay?”

Kevin groaned loudly, forcing himself into a sitting position, head bowed with his left hand cradled to his chest.

Howie frowned in worry, “Kev?”

Kevin turned his head up and squinted across at Howie who gasped. A distinctly red cut marred Kevin’s left cheek bone, lines of blood running down his jaw and neck from the wound. Kevin blinked slowly and forced his eyes to open wider, “Howie?”

“Yeah, Kev,” replied Howie, his tone concerned and shaking with suppressed pain, “You okay?”

Kevin took a moment to think about this, then nodded, “Y-yeah, I think I’m not too bad.” Kevin stared at Howie, still pinned beneath a mound of debris, “You okay?”

Howie managed a half smile, “I’m stuck... that and I think my right leg is broken. Can you walk?”

Kevin nodded, “Yeah, I think so.” As Kevin struggled to his feet, he strained out, “Where’s Brian? Why were you yellin’ for Nick?”

Howie waited until Kevin stopped before him before answering him, “I think that’s Brian over there, under that pile of stuff. It’s where I last saw him. Nick’s... Nick’s right behind you. He- he won’t answer me a-and... he’s bleeding.”

Kevin began feeling less detached and more aware of what was going on, Howie’s words registering slowly. Pursing his lips, Kevin looked down at Howie and nodded, “Okay, let’s get you out first, then we’ll check the others.”

Looking over the beam that laid on top of Howie, Kevin asked, “You think you can scoot out of there if I hold this stuff off of you?”

Howie nodded, “Yeah, I’ll do anything I have to, as long as I can move again.”

“Okay,” said Kevin, leaning down and gripping the beam with his good arm, “On three you get out. One... Two... Three!”

Kevin heaved the beam up and Howie pulled himself forward, a cry escaping his lips and he dragged his injured leg. When Howie was clear, Kevin let the beam fall. Howie sat panting, eyes closed. Kevin could tell by just looking at Howie’s leg that it was broken. He placed his right hand on Howie’s shoulder, “You doin’ okay?”

Howie nodded, eyes still closed, “Check the others.”

Kevin looked to where Nick laid and where they thought Brian to be, his chest tightening in what he might find. Slowly, deliberately, Kevin strode over to Nick. Carefully, he knelt down on one knee and reached his good hand toward Nick’s slack face. He brushed his fingers across Nick’s forehead and then moved his hand to Nick’s neck, hesitantly waiting.

Expelling a loud breath, Kevin turned to Howie, who now stared at him, and nodded. As relief flooded Howie’s face, Kevin looked back down at Nick. He found a cut on the side of Nick’s head as the cause for the bleeding Howie had found, surmising Nick had, at the very least, a concussion. Kevin prayed that was all he had.

Kevin looked up and took in the chaos of the crowd, watching as security and the cops at the exits chauffeured them out of the arena, almost half of the crowd having already been shown out. WIth a frustrated sigh, Kevin looked from Nick, to where his cousin was, then back. The indecision was clear on his face. Then, deciding Nick was all right for the moment, Kevin got to his feet and approached where Brian should be. Quickly, Kevin began removing debris with his one hand, looking for his cousin.

Suddenly, the very junk Kevin was trying to remove, began to move, to push upward. Kevin felt a surge of hope, “Brian?!”

Debris was being flung to the side and Kevin caught sight of a hand. Quickly, Kevin grabbed the hand and held fast. Kevin pulled and soon he saw Brian’s wavy haired head emerging from the debris. Mustering all his strength, Kevin pulled back and heaved Brian from the debris, his cousin collapsing to the stage floor beside him with a muffled cry of pain.

With a groan, Brian forced himself to stand. His arms encircled his chest, a grimace of pain flashing across the Southern features. Kevin gripped Brian’s shoulder and tried to look into his face, “Brian? You okay?”

Wincing, Brian straightened and looked up at Kevin. He smiled shakily, “I’m all right, Kev. I- I think I cracked some ribs, but I think that’s it. Maybe a bump on the head, I was knocked out for a bit.”

Kevin studied Brian’s pale face and then nodded, “Okay, help me with Nick.”

“Nick?!” cried Brian, his blue eyes searching Kevin’s face, “What’s wrong with Nick? And what about Howie? And AJ?”

Kevin sighed, his voice soft, “Nick’s unconscious. I don’t know if there’s anything else wrong, he’s covered with debris. We have to clear it off him. Howie’s got a broken leg, but is otherwise all right.” Kevin paused, “I... I don’t know where AJ is.”

~/~/~/~/~( )~~~~~

Noise and pain worked their way through the fog of AJ’s mind, his eyes slowly blinking open. At first, he looked around, confused. Then it all came back and he winced at the memory. With a groan, he pushed himself up into a sitting position and then examined the area around him. Slowly, AJ exhaled, a slight burning sensation within his lungs accompanying the action.

“Oh, Christ,” AJ said aloud, his voice a low rasp, “Guess she would do something in front of thousands of people.”

“Well, what can I say?” came a frighteningly familiar voice from behind him, “A woman loves an audience.”

AJ froze and slowly turned his head, but he didn’t finish the maneuver as a black gloved hand settled on his injured shoulder. AJ bit his lip to stop himself from reacting to the pain as she squeezed.

Lalita laughed under her breath, “My my, AJ. You seem to have gotten an owie! You just let Lalita help you with that.” Lalita spit out the last words and suddenly yanked AJ up off the stage floor with surprising strength, causing AJ to gasp sharply and then cough. He pressed a hand to his chest until the coughing stopped, his lungs on fire as pure terror surged through his veins.

Lalita wrapped one arm around AJ’s chest and used the other to retrieve something from the waist of her pants, the hand coming back with a gun in its grasp. She pressed the weapon to AJ’s neck, right below his right ear.

AJ stiffened, his breath beginning to wheeze slightly as a controlled panic coursed through him. He cringed as Lalita whispered in a low voice, her breath brushing against his ear, “You, me, and my boys here are gonna go visit your friends. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’d love to take care of you right now. You shouldn’t even be here, but maybe that’s a good thing...”

A smile turned her blood red lips as she leaned her mouth closer, “Wouldn’t you love to be the bargaining chip for one of your friends’ lives? Your friend will have a choice: his best friend... or you.”

AJ’s brow furrowed in confusion, his mind trying to process what she was implying. One thing was clear, though, and it made AJ’s insides twist. One of them was going to die by her hand, and AJ couldn’t think of a more terrifying way to go.

~/~/~/~/~( )~~~~~

Brian fell to his knees beside Nick, his friend’s pale slack face tearing a hole through his chest in fear. He looked up at Kevin, naturally looking for the elder’s guidance. Kevin stared back and then at the debris covering Nick from his shoulders, down his back and towards his feet.

“Let’s get this stuff off him, then we’ll see what we’ve got,” stated Kevin, his voice hard with control.

Brian stood and they began to lift the debris away, Howie slid himself over and sat at Nick’s head, one hand continually brushing the blond hair from his forehead. In a matter of seconds, Kevin and Brian had uncovered Nick’s body and did their best to see if he had any injuries. Blood and a ragged tear in the right sleeve of Nick’s black coated arm denoted atleast one. The tear ran along the back of Nick’s fore arm, from the wrist to just about his elbow. Blood still seeped from the wound, adding to a dark puddle already below the arm.

Brian took off his jacket and then tore a part of his black shirt, using the strip in an effort to stop the bleeding of Nick’s arm. As soon as Brian put pressure on the wound, Nick moaned and tried to pull his arm away, a wince pulling at his face.

Howie looked hard at Nick’s face, “Nick? You with me?”

Nick’s eyes clenched and then squinted open, his brow furrowed in confusion as he tried to understand what was going on. All he knew was his arm hurt and his head felt like it was going to explode any minute, a muted roar sounding in his ears. He soon realized he was laying on his stomach, so he placed the arm that didn’t hurt under him and rolled onto his back. He opened his eyes wider and the shapes above him slowly took focus, the faces of Howie, Kevin, and Brian forming.

Brian smiled in relief, “Welcome back, Frack.”

Nick quirked a perplexed eyebrow, his voice croaking out, “Back? Where’d I go?”

Kevin grinned at Howie and Brian, “I think he’s gonna be okay, only Nick would say something like that.”

Nick gamely tried to sit up, Howie looping an arm around him to help steady him. Nick now sat beside Howie, Brian and Kevin kneeling before him. He raised a hand to his head and winced, pulling his hand away to see blood. He wiped it on his pants and looked around at what was left of the stage. He jaw dropped at the destruction, “What happened?”

Brian frowned, “I think Lalita stole the show. She blew up the back of the stage.”

Nick’s eyes widened, then the dull roar in his ears died away and the panic of the crowd reached him. Nick looked around, he didn’t see AJ, “What about the fans? Are they okay? And where’s AJ? Why ain’t he here?”

Kevin looked away from Nick, “I think the fans are okay, all of security and the cops that were at the exits have been getting them out. Some of the fans were tryin’ to get up here to help us, but the security held them back. They’d just get hurt. That’s why no one’s come to help us, they’re too busy trying to keep the crowd back and under control, trying to get them out.” Kevin shook his head, “I think the majority of them are out, but there are still some people still in here.”

Nick stared hard at Kevin, even with his mind in a confusing fog, Nick noticed the omission in Kevin’s answer, “Where’s AJ?”

Kevin glanced at Brian and Howie, then faced Nick, “We... we don’t know where AJ is. He couldn’t sing so he wandered off to flirt with the fans and... I don’t know. He was by himself when the explosion happened.”

Nick frowned and moved Brian’s hand from the cloth on his arm, replacing it with his own. He then struggled to his feet, concentrating hard on staying on his feet as the world seemed to tilt and rock precariously around him. He didn’t even know it when he started to fall forward, but Kevin saw and shot to his feet, catching Nick with his good arm.

Kevin steadied Nick, “Whoa, what are you doing?”

Nick closed his eyes and breathed deep to settle the flipping of his stomach, then he slowly opened them to look at Kevin, “Gotta find AJ.”

Brian struggled to his feet with a wince and placed his hand over the one Nick still grasped his injured arm with, “We’ll find him, Nick, but we gotta take it slow. None of us are in very good condition, and Howie can’t walk.”

Nick looked down at Howie and saw his leg, he grimaced at the sight. He looked back at Brian, “We gotta find him, Bri’. We gotta. She’s gonna come after us.”

Brian bit his lip and glanced at Kevin, who shrugged in helplessness. Brian sighed, a fear deep in his gut causing his hair to prickle, “We’ll find him, Nick. We’ll find him.”

“Don’t worry boys! I found him for you.”

All four of them froze. Nick closed his eyes and released a trembling breath, afraid to look, afraid to see if AJ was dead or alive. Brian slowly turned and gasped at what he saw. The others started at Brian’s gasp and forced themselves to look. Each of them paled in that instant.

AJ was in the clutches of Lalita, a gun at his neck, but it would be Lalita’s face that would forever be embedded in their minds: her eyes were chips of cold blue ice, narrowed dangerously, her ebony hair framed her pale face, accenting the shadows and deepening her evil presence, and her red lips were turned into a half smile, half sneer, a flash of white presenting her teeth. She was pure evil, pure insanity... and the Backstreet Boys feared that this sight would be the last thing they would ever see again.

Howie swallowed hard and managed to find his voice, “AJ? Ar- are you okay?”

AJ fixed his sad and fear filled brown eyes on his friend, a grimace pulling at his smooth features. When he spoke, his voice came out forced and strained, breathy and raspy, “I’ve been better, ‘D.”

The effort to speak burned through AJ’s chest and he couldn’t stop the cough that escaped, his eyes squeezing shut as his breath wheezed past his now clenched teeth.

Nick’s eyes were pinched in concern, his heart pained to see AJ in such danger and pain, “AJ?!”

AJ tried to take a breath, but his lungs seemed to burn even more and a fit of coughing, which would have doubled him over if not for Lalita’s hold, hit him hard.

Brian’s eyes narrowed as he glared at Lalita, “Let him go!”

Lalita smiled, shaking her head and tisking, “Now, Brian. I can’t do that. I need him right now.” She nodded to them, “Spread out so I can see all of you clearly.” When they hesitated, she pulled up on AJ, his injured shoulder pulling and eliciting a yelp from him. The four Backstreet Boys moved as fast as they could so she could see them. Nick was still being held up by Kevin, who stood at his left. Brian stood to Nick’s right and Howie was on the ground beside Kevin’s feet.

With her three men still at her back, Lalita felt a feeling of power and the thirst of her revenge flow throughout her body. She smiled and closed her eyes briefly at the feeling, then opened them and let her face fall into a deadly seriousness. Her ice cold stare pinned Nick back with it’s intense hate and vengeance. Her voice came out low and frighteningly calm, “Now, Mr. Carter, for your punishment. You took Jake away from me, so you shall suffer what I felt. You will see your best friend die, and if you resist, this one will die instead.”

Nick’s eyes grew wide and his breathing stopped momentarily in disbelief. He stared at Lalita and AJ, then to Brian beside him. Brian locked eyes with Nick and shared his shock, all five of them reeled from Lalita’s cold words. Nick looked back at Lalita, no words would come out of his mouth.

Lalita stood with impatience, she cocked an inconsiderate eyebrow, “Well, what will it be, Nick? Who do you choose to die: Brian or AJ?”
Chapter 9 by Refuse
Nick couldn’t describe the way he felt. There was no way to express the emotions tumbling through him. Hell, if it weren’t for Kevin holding him up, he would have collapsed. She wanted him to pick one of his friends, brothers, to DIE. He wouldn’t... couldn’t ever do something like that. He blinked. It was almost like a double edged sword. Either way he took it, he’d get cut. He had to take it by the handle, had to get control of the weapon to accomplish anything.

He watched Lalita. Madness danced in her cold eyes, he cringed. How on earth was he going to get out of this?

Brian’s eyes flitted between Nick and Lalita, AJ sagging in her grasp. Oh, God... he thought, How did it come to this? He had yet to grasp that his own life was now being pointedly threatened, he was too caught up in shocked disbelief.

Nick closed his eyes, then snapped them open when it felt like the room was spinning. His head wound was still effecting him. He felt slightly disoriented for a moment, briefly forgetting where he was until Kevin shook him slightly.

Nick looked up into a face of warring emotions. Kevin’s brow was furrowed in concern, his lips were parted in shock, and his green eyes sparked with muted anger. Nick straightened and took on more of his own weight, switching his blue gaze to Lalita.

When Nick spoke, his voice was surprisingly calm and steady, “Who do I choose to die? You, Lalita. I choose you.”

Lalita chortled, “Me? That was not one of your choices, Nick. You must learn to pay attention.”

Nick took a steadying breath, then stared at Lalita, tilting his head, “What does it feel like to be insane, Lalita?”

Lalita looked taken aback, her eyes widening in surprise and indignation, “I’m not insane!”

Nick never blinked, “How does it feel to be totally out of control of your own mind? How does it feel to lead a life of your mind’s own muddled illusions?”

Rage darkened the ice blue eyes, “Watch it, Carter. I am NOT insane! I’m not mad, I’m not!!”

Nick pulled from Kevin’s confused grip, swaying slightly before he gained his balance and stood tall. Nick’s slightly unfocussed aqua eyes seared into Lalita’s eyes, “How the hell else can you explain what you’re doin’?! Look around you, Lalita. There’s nothing sane about any of this!”

Emotions whirling unchecked across her face, Lalita did just that. She looked down at the semiconscious AJ in her arms, at the gun she pressed to his neck, she looked around at the destruction she had caused and fought to justify her actions. Her voice turned desperate when she looked back at Nick, “I’m getting my revenge! You killed Jake! ...I-... I loved him. You took him away. You must suffer as I have! You must!”

Nick looked nervous for a moment as he watched her reactions to his words, but forced himself to push on, “You caused Jake to die, Lalita. You kidnapped us, were going to kill us. If you hadn’t of done that, Jake would be alive right now. Your madness killed Jake, not me.”

“NO!” she screamed, the hand that held the gun to AJ’s neck trembling in rage and fear. She didn’t understand what was happening. Confusion raced through her warped mind. No one had questioned her sanity before. What she did was right, it always was and always will. It was everyone else that was wrong. She was normal. She wasn’t mad, she wasn’t. Lalita again looked around her, seeing fear and hate in the majority of faces, even in her three men behind her, she saw fear. Fear of her, of what she was doing. The lone thread of sanity that laid hidden in her mind pulled, her expression wavering. Oh, God... Am I insane?

Nick searched Lalita’s face, seeing the smallest trace of doubt and regret. He spoke steadily and prayed that the sword handle he was reaching for didn’t suddenly slip and give him its more deadly side, “Lalita, everything will be fine. All you have to do is let us go. You can get help, Lalita. Please, let us go.”

Lalita stared at Nick, a slight appearance of what Lalita would be if she were able to be in control of herself showing on her face. She looked scared and confused, like she was waking up from a nightmare she couldn’t remember. She unconsciously shifted her hold on AJ, causing the rebel’s shoulder to flare in pain. AJ gasped, eyes widening in awareness. His chest tightened, burning as coughs now erupted from his lips. He couldn’t breathe. He continued to cough, pulling in short gasps of air in an effort to satisfy his body’s cry for oxygen.

Lalita looked startled and tightened her grip further, her gun hand steadying and pressing harder against AJ, “Stop,” she ordered, not understanding, “Stop it!”

Two loud BOOMs resounded through the arena and caused all on the stage to stiffen, all eyes going to the doors as O’Rielly and several police officers ran into the room. The three men at Lalita’s back panicked, bringing their weapons to bare and firing at the cops.

O’Rielly and the cops returned fired, dropping the three men dead in a volley of bullets. The three men’s bullets were panicked and went wide of the officers and police chief, whom now set their sights on Lalita’s frozen form which still held the struggling AJ. O’Rielly’s eyes narrowed as he carefully aimed his gun at the vicinity of Lalita’s heart, if only AJ was not in the way...

Several things happened in the next few whirling seconds of time, things to surely effect everyone in that arena’s lives.

AJ’s mind clouded in unconsciousness as lack of sufficient oxygen took its toll, his now limp form falling from Lalita’s desperate grasp. His body crumpled at her feet and she blinked down at him in the realization that her protection was gone. She felt the cool steel of the gun in her hand at her right side and could see O’Rielly in her peripheral vision to her left, his gun leveled at her steadily. She knew that if she moved wrong, she was dead. Slowly, her deadened ice blue eyes lifted, a feral smile playing at the corners of her mouth as that last thread of sanity vanished.

Her now maniacal, almost translucent eyes, locked steadily with Nick’s now fear filled blue orbs. Nick knew in that instant what would happen and his breath stopped somewhere between his heart and throat, sheer terror seizing his form rigid.

At the same instant that Lalita’s eyes erupted into a strange appearance of sheer delight, Nick screamed out and lunged out of pure reflex, his mind having stopped its ability to comprehend at the knowledge of Lalita’s intentions.

“NO!”

His scream seemed to spur time to a faster pace as a flurry of intense action ensued his unsettling cry. Lalita’s arm snapped up as she pivoted slightly to her left. The gun jerked in her hand as the roaring shot left the chamber, her eyes narrowed in precision.

Nick’s right shoulder collided solidly with Brian’s chest, the air rushing out of Brian as he was slammed to the side, his body striking the hard metal stage with crushing force. As the impact sluiced through his body, Brian dimly heard the resounding report of a second shot coupled with an incensed scream of pure maddened rage. A rough, commanding voice then loudly voiced “Clear, we’re all clear. We need paramedics, NOW!” Brian winced, his eyes clenching from a variety of causes.

As quickly as it had begun, everything stopped. As the remnants of the gunshots and screams reverberated through the stadium’s rafters, total and utter silence encompassed the group of people on stage. As if time seemed to drag in exhaustion after the previous situation, realization and awareness worked their way onto every pale face.

Before Kevin and Howie, the crumpled form of Lalita laid still with no life left within her, a lone bullet having pierced her heart. Her ice blue eyes stared up at the ceiling in the same deadened gaze as before, only now the expression held true to her state.

The Backstreet Boys were finally free of her control, free of her madness... but at what cost?

Howie struggled to bring himself from the shock that held his mind, his eyes riveted on AJ’s sprawled form. His brow furrowed, his voice coming out strained, “AJ?”

No answer.

Howie’s breath now quickened in fear, his arms shaking as he began to pull himself across the stage to his best friend. He called again as he neared AJ, his voice now rough with pain, “AJ? ...C’mon, man. You gotta be okay.”

Howie reached out and gripped AJ’s uninjured shoulder, pulling the rebel over onto his back. Howie’s breath left him in relief at the sight of the steadily rising and falling chest. AJ was alive. Howie let his eyes close in pure weariness, his senses overtaxed already as his leg screamed in constant pain.

O’Rielly holstered his gun and pushed his comm. radio away from his mouth, satisfied that Lalita was dead. He let his gray eyes scan the scene before him and worry immediately overtook his features. He had failed. He was supposed to protect the Backstreet Boys and before him were five injured men. His eyes settled on two still forms. At least, he hoped they were only injured. A flash of panic sparking in his eyes, he spun around and quickly went to the exit, yelling briskly to the stunned officers at his side to follow him. He swore to himself. Where the hell are those damn paramedics?!

Kevin blinked, having watched Howie’s actions in a detached manner before his mind sluggishly brought itself to semi awareness. Kevin cradled his injured arm to his chest tightly as he fought to get his barings, the sound of a low groan of pain working its way to his mind.

Brian felt pain. It held his chest captive, stealing away his breath in its fierce grip. He shifted and became aware of two things. His left shoulder hurt like hell and something was on top of him. With supreme effort, Brian lifted his head slightly and cracked his eyes open. For a moment, all he could do was stare blankly. Then, the apparition before him became frighteningly clear and he gasped, his breath now lodged in his throat.

Brian let his head fall back and slid his eyes closed, praying that when he opened them again he wouldn’t see his best friend’s slack face before him. Releasing his caught breath, Brian opened his eyes.

“No.”

The word came from Brian’s lips in a choked whisper, his face now showing the anguish he felt. He began to shake his head as he stared at Nick’s limp form sprawled on top of him, panic now brightening his blue eyes as he stated louder and with more force, “No!”

Kevin started out of his subdued state and turned to the voice. He paled at the sight he saw before him. Kevin’s eyes were wide as he shook his head. Oh, God... God... ...there’s so much blood...

In shock, Kevin fell to his knees at Brian and Nick’s side. Brian stared straight through Kevin with his pain filled eyes, “Kevin... Kevin, help him...” Brian’s gaze veered to Nick, his voice a whisper, “God, please help him...”

Hesitantly, Kevin reached out with his good hand to Nick’s neck, his green eyes never leaving the large patch of blood that covered both Nick’s chest and Brian’s. Then he felt it, a faint fluttering beneath his fingers and he closed his eyes briefly with the knowledge.

Kevin looked at Brian, “He’s alive, Brian. Now, I’m gonna move him off of you, okay? Just don’t move.”

Kevin’s calm and controlled voice seemed to subdue Brian somewhat and he nodded, his eyes watching every move Kevin made. Carefully, Kevin rolled Nick toward himself and off of Brian, hearing the cry of pain the motion elicited from his cousin.

Now holding Nick to his chest, Kevin paused. He brought his injured arm around and hugged Nick to him, closing his eyes and resting his chin on the blond’s head. After a second, Kevin shook himself and opened his eyes, gently moving to lay Nick down, the youth having yet to stir as the sticky red liquid continued to spread across his chest.

Kevin leaned over Nick and searched for the cause, his heart skipping a beat when he found the bullet hole on Nick’s upper right chest, below the color bone. His green eyes flitting over Nick’s form, he suddenly noticed blood in a widening patch beneath Nick. Kevin’s eyes widened as he muttered, “It went through...”

Kevin’s eyes shot to Brian, “Brian? You okay?”

Frowning, Brian nodded and attempted to sit up, but white hot pain sliced through his shoulder and he fell back, gasping for breath as blackness played around the edges of his vision. In a hoarse whisper, Brian stated, “Then again, maybe not.”

Helplessness reflected in Kevin’s eyes as he gazed from Brian, to Nick, to Howie and AJ, and back. His voice changed from its calmness to angered and desperate, “Damn it! I need some help over here!! Where the hell IS ev’rybody?!”

Not expecting an answer, Kevin was surprised when he received one, “Medics are on their way in, they’re bein’ delayed a bit because of the crowd outside.” O’Rielly stood above Kevin, his distinguished face creased with concern, “How’re they doin’?”

Kevin looked up at him, then down at his blood stained hands, “Not good... I- I don’t know what to do.”

Looking away, O’Rielly pursed his lips, “Howie is doin’ all he can with AJ, I think they’ll both be all right. They weren’t that seriously injured...” O’Rielly looked back down and locked eyes with Kevin, “Get pressure on his wound, I’ll take care of Brian.”

Numbly, Kevin nodded and leaned over Nick, hesitantly laying his hands over the hole in Nick’s chest. He pressed down with both of his hands, a shock of pain flashing from his wrist. He ignored it and pressed harder. Kevin jumped when a shuddering gasp parted Nick’s lips and the blue eyes shot open, their color vibrant as they bored into Kevin’s face.

Nick clenched his teeth and desperately held Kevin’s gaze, his mind reeling from the intense pain radiating from his chest. Nick’s left hand lashed out to grip one of Kevin’s arms, his expression urgent, “K-Kev?”

Kevin’s eyes glistened down at him, “Yeah, Nick. Don’t talk, yer gonna be okay.”

Nick’s face twisted as a twinge of pain elicited an involuntary groan from his throat, his eyes squinted up at Kevin through a red haze as he gasped, his breathing becoming labored. The blue eyes roved around in search of something before once again landing on Kevin, “Bri- Brian? ...W-where’s Brian... He okay?”

Kevin shut his eyes briefly, then stared steadily down at Nick, “He’s fine. Brian’s fine. Okay? Now, you gotta settle down Nick. Please...”

Nick’s expression seemed to ease somewhat at Kevin’s words, then his eyes widened as his breathing became harder, gasping. His eyes held a panicking terror as they pulled at Kevin’s green ones of helplessness, “C-can’t... ...Kev, c-can’t... can’t breathe... Kev-”

Nick suddenly tried to roll onto his side as a cough tore through him, a garbled cry of pain soon following as the fire in his chest burned hotter at the abuse. Kevin’s eyes widened and he forced Nick to stay still, not allowing the blond to move from his back.

“Nick! Don’t move! ...Please... ... ... ...Nicky?”

Kevin felt his chest constrict as Nick’s now slack face stared up at him, eyes closed. What drew Kevin’s attention and caused the panic to intensify within him, was the thin line of red that now seeped from the corner of Nick’s pale lips. Nick’s chest barely moved with shallow gasps. Kevin had never felt so scared in his life. Oh, God... No... Nick, no...

“Nick!” cried Kevin, his emerald eyes now frantically roving over Nick’s slack face. Kevin’s hands and arms trembled as he forced his weight upon the bullet hole in Nick’s chest, the spiking pain shooting from his wrist at the abuse only spurring him to press harder, Nick’s deep red blood now seeping slowly through his clasped fingers. Kevin’s eyes squinted, his mind willing Nick to open his eyes again. His voice came out low and rough as he pleaded for Nick to respond, “Oh, God... C’mon, Nick. Don’t give up on us now... ...Jeez, oh God... ...Nick... Nicky, wake up... Please...”

O’Rielly had his hands full with Brian, the young man having been able to hear all that had just transpired with his best friend. O’Rielly forcibly held Brian down, his hands pressed hard against the bullet wound in Brian’s shoulder. Brian struggled against him and tried to reach Nick even as pain held him helpless. O’Rielly leaned over and practically shouted directly into his ear, “Brian! ...Brian, listen to me!”

Brian’s face remained turned away, the frantic blue eyes locked on Nick and Kevin a few feet away. O’Rielly released one of his hands and gripped Brian’s jaw, forcing the young man to look at him. O’Rielly stared into eyes full of fear and pain, “Brian, listen to me. Nick will be fine. The paramedics are on their way and will help him, okay? Now, if you want to help Nick, you gotta work with me here. You have to stay still and relax. Can you do that, Brian?”

Brian stared at O’Rielly, his eyes having a slight glaze to them. He tried to understand what O’Rielly had just told him, feeling as if his mind was in a cloud. He hurt. Oh God, how he hurt. Besides the fiery pain in his shoulder, his entire chest pulsed in agony. Though through all the pain, the thought of Nick filled his mind. His heart ached with a totally different kind of pain, a pain infinitely worse than what he physically felt. Oh, God... Why? Why did this have to happen? I can’t lose Nick... I can’t lose any of them...

O’Rielly shook Brian’s face roughly, having watched as the panicked blue eyes grew distant and slowly slid closed, the twisted features going slack, “Brian! ...Brian! Damn it!... ...Stay with me... C’mon, stay with me!”

Brian’s eyes wavered, opening slightly before completely closing. O’Rielly felt the body beneath him go limp. Brian’s head slipped from his grip, O’Rielly’s bloody fingerprints smeared across his jaw.

“Shit,” O’Rielly muttered, quickly checking for a pulse. He released a quick breath when he felt the beat, weak but steady. He looked up at the sound of running footsteps, his hands pressing harder upon Brian’s wound. It’s about God damned time!

Alec had finally broken through the arena doors, several groups of EMTs following him. He knew who his patients were going to be, and he moved that much quicker. For all the scenarios he had been mentally preparing himself for, nothing could have prepared him for the scene he saw before his hazel eyes.

“Dear God...” he breathed, hesitating only a second before running onto the stage.

His eyes assessing the situation, he headed straight to Kevin and Nick. The other EMTs quickly surrounded Brian, AJ, and Howie. Alec’s attention became solely Nick as he absorbed the extent of injury. His hazel eyes locked with Kevin’s tortured green as he kneeled down. Alec stared into the anguished features he saw on too many people’s faces when he arrived on a scene.

Alec gripped Kevin’s arm, “We got ‘im now, Kevin. We’ll take care of him. I promise.”

Kevin slowly nodded and allowed himself to be pushed to the side as Alec and several other EMTs closed Nick off from his view. As an EMT attended him, Kevin only vaguely acknowledged the man. His green eyes simply stared at his red hands, wincing as the EMT looked at his broken wrist and old bullet wound that had torn open. Time just seemed to disappear from Kevin’s mind. Everything... everything just stopped. Nothing would go again until he knew his family was all right.

Howie watched through dulled eyes as the EMTs tended to himself and AJ. He felt immense relief as he overheard one of the medics saying AJ would be fine after being administered oxygen and had his shoulder tended to. Howie had thought AJ had died when he had fallen from Lalita’s arms.

Pain flashed on his face as the medics helping him braced his leg to prevent undue movement. He was only half ways paying attention when he heard the medics discussing how they were transporting them to the hospital, but certain words suddenly caught his full attention. He stared at them with wide eyes, his awareness fully restored.

“Carter and Littrell are to be transported first, no questions asked. They both need immediate ER attention,” one EMT had said.

Howie felt panic rise within him again. Nick? Brian? What had happened to them? ...Oh, God... They’re worse than AJ? Howie searched his mind for some inkling as to what had happened to his friends, but the situation he tried to figure out was a complete blur of panic and motion. His brow furrowed, he had to sort it out. Nick had been talking to Lalita, and she had actually responded to him. Then O’Rielly and the cops burst in. Lalita’s men fired their guns. AJ fell. Howie remembered that clearly. He had been so sure that he had just watched his best friend die. Everything after that was a blur. Howie frowned, thinking so hard he felt a headache coming on. There was a sound. Howie’s eyes brightened as he latched onto the memory. A sound... a sound of... ...a gun! Howie’s eyes widened in terror. Oh, God! They were shot?! ... Oh, no.... Oh, jeez no...

Howie’s hand gripped one of the EMTs, “What’s wrong with Nick and Brian?”

The EMT glanced at the other medics before returning his eyes to Howie’s now panicked features, “They’re gonna be fine, let’s just worry about you and you’ll see them soon.”

Howie’s eyes narrowed, “What happened to Nick and Brian!!”

“Please,” placated the medic, “Calm down. We’ll inform you of your friends as soon as possible. Just calm down and let us help you.”

Howie roughly released his grip, falling back to the stage floor with a frustrated and frightened sigh. He bit his lip. Howie then closed his eyes as he agonized over his friends, wondering what was wrong with them that was so bad that the EMTs wouldn’t tell him. He brought his hands up to cover his face. To Howie, his whole world had just fallen out from under him.

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

Kevin sat slumped, his elbows resting on his lap as he held his hands in front of his bowed head. His left wrist was white with the cast that covered his arm from the knuckles to just before his elbow. Kevin didn’t see the cast as he stared at his hands, all he saw was red. His hands, covered with glossy red.

Nurses and doctors, candy stripers and interns; they all scurried past his still form. All Kevin had was his thoughts. He was so alone. Yes, there were other people in the waiting room, but Kevin didn’t pay them much attention. Just as they paid him little mind. A Backstreet Boy was in their midst and they didn’t even notice or care, their thoughts were on more important things.

Kevin’s one relief was that Howie would join him soon, perhaps AJ also. Their injuries were less severe, so they would be released as soon as possible, just as Kevin was. The doctors had re-stitched his bullet wound and then set and put a cast on his arm, they would have to eventually remove the cast early though to check the stitching, then put it back on again. A small square white bandage contrasted with his face as it covered the stitched cut on his left cheek bone, the blood from the cut still staining his shirt.

Howie was getting his leg set and put a cast on, the break had been clean with no complications. The break was half way between his ankle and knee, so he would get by with crutches. Kevin couldn’t wait until Howie joined him in the waiting room, he couldn’t stand sitting there alone.

AJ had woken up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital, he had immediately panicked and struggled against the EMTs. If it hadn’t of been for Howie riding with him, AJ would had to have been sedated to calm him down. AJ was being treated with plenty of oxygen and his split open shoulder was being stitched. The gash had stretched six inches at a diagonal on the back of AJ’s left shoulder.

Now as Kevin sat waiting, his thoughts still rested on Nick and Brian. He didn’t know how they were. What he managed to gather from the shouting medics was that Brian had many cracked and broken ribs, along with a bullet lodged in his left shoulder. Nick... the only thing he figured out about Nick was that they had wanted him at the hospital fast.

Kevin blinked, his eyes breaking from their stare as he slowly lowered his hands. God, how he wished none of this had happened. He used his good hand to rub his forehead, his bloodshot green eyes puffy from strain and tears. Kevin let his hand fall to his lap, his head leaning back against the wall as he stared blankly up at the sterile ceiling. God, please... PLEASE let them be okay. Please...

A sound broke through to Kevin, his eyes widening in disbelief as his head snapped around the waiting room, searching. It came again, sending a shiver down Kevin’s spine and causing his heart to lurch. Then he saw him. Kevin’s eyes squinted, Oh my God...

There, sitting in the lap of a man, was a little blond haired boy. His small arms were wrapped about the mans neck, the young boy’s face turned into the broad chest. The man stared, frozen, as a woman in a white coat slowly walked away. The man didn’t move, didn’t even acknowledge the boy sobbing in his lap. He just stared at where the doctor had been, his expression blank.

Kevin watched as the little boy pulled away from who he assumed was his father, the small arms releasing their hold as his face looked up at his father. The man himself was a familiar sight, having stark black hair and strong features, but blue eyes, not green. It didn’t matter as Kevin sucked his breath in, his green eyes locking with young blue eyes seemingly identical to another pair he had once stared into some eight years ago.

The little boy stared at Kevin with a tear streaked face, blue eyes bright as blond hair fell over his forehead. To Kevin, he might as well have been looking at an eight year old Nick. True, Kevin only knew Nick since he was twelve(going on thirteen as Nick had put it then), but it didn’t make a difference to Kevin as his eyes welled up with tears.

Abruptly, Kevin stood and walked from the room, the little boy watching him leave as tears continued to slide down his face. Kevin turned the next corner and stopped. Turning to face the wall, Kevin braced his good arm stiffly before him on the wall, his head hanging low as his shoulders shook with silent sobs. His eyes clenched tight as tears found their way out to slide unhindered down his face, many soaking into the bandage on his cheek. A hoarse sob escaped him and he gasped in a breath, sniffing as he opened his eyes to gaze blankly at the floor as he continued to cry for his family.

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

Howie gamely made his way down the hall toward the waiting room where he knew Kevin to be. He struggled with the unfamiliar crutches, but managed to not bang his cast on too many obstacles. Damn, but it hurt when he did that. Howie knew he had to get to Kevin, though. Kevin was all alone, waiting.

Howie tore his eyes from the floor ahead of him to see where he was and froze, his brow furrowing in concern at what he saw. As fast as he could manage, Howie hobbled over the distraught figure. He tentatively placed a hand on the shaking shoulder when he had his balance, “Kev?”

A sharp inhale of breath sounded from Kevin as he abruptly straightened, removing his arm from the wall to wipe at his eyes. Howie shook his head, “Kev, I know you were crying. You don’t have to hide it, you need to cry.”

His back facing Howie, Kevin looked up at the ceiling and sighed shakily. He then turned to lean his back against the wall and stared at Howie in concern, “You okay?”

Howie shrugged, “Yeah, I’m fine physically...” Howie looked into Kevin’s eyes, “Have you heard about Nick and Brian? I mean...” Howie suddenly looked scared, “That’s not why you were cryin’, was it? They’re not...”

“No!” stated Kevin quickly, shaking his head, “I haven’t heard about them yet, I don’t know how they are.”

Howie’s face relaxed in relief, “Thank God... You all right, Kev?”

Kevin ran his hand through his hair, looking away, “I- I’m okay, I guess. I just think the waiting got to me.” Kevin shook his head slightly, “You won’t believe what’s in that waiting room, though. It ‘bout tore my heart out.”

Howie looked worried, “What?”

“You’ll see,” replied Kevin, his expression closed, “We haveta get back there so AJ’ll be able to find us if he gets released, too.”

Howie simply nodded and they made their way back to the waiting room, Howie following Kevin. Kevin hesitated only slightly as he entered the room, then quickly found a seat. Once Kevin was out of his line of sight, Howie was able to see the room. Howie’s eyes widened and he almost forgot to hold on to his crutches. He stared at the little blond boy in shock, slowly bringing himself out of it and falling into the seat beside Kevin.

Howie tore his eyes away from the boy and stared at Kevin, “My God, Kev. He looks just like...”

“Like Nick,” nodded Kevin, his voice soft. Kevin sighed, “I was thinkin’ about Nick when I heard him.” Kevin gestured to the boy and shook his head, his voice rough, “Coulda sworn it was Nick for a minute there, it really took me for a loop.”

The boys father was now crying with the boy, his strong arms hugging the boy to him. Kevin looked at Howie and whispered, “I think he just lost his mom.”

Sympathy immediately showed on Howie’s face, his eyes sad as he gazed at the boy and father, “Poor kid.”

Kevin was silent for a minute, then said in a low voice, “Yeah, let’s just pray we don’t get the same kind of news they got.”

“I need to sit down, got a chair fer me?” asked a muffled raspy voice.

Kevin and Howie looked up quickly to see a pale AJ standing before them, toting an oxygen tank and his left arm in a sling. Kevin hastily moved to the next chair over so AJ could sit between them, AJ watching with a small smile on his lips behind the oxygen mask. AJ sat down carefully, not leaning back.

Howie looked at him with worried eyes, “You doin’ okay, bro’?”

AJ nodded, situating the tank in front of him. He turned pained eyes to the two of them, “Any word?”

Kevin shook his head, “No, haven’t heard anything. You sure you’re okay?”

“Yeah,” AJ breathed, “I ain’t officially released yet, but I will be after a few hours on this thing.” AJ gestured to the tank of oxygen, “I ain’t gonna be sleepin’ on my back anytime soon either, or usin’ my left arm.”

Howie and Kevin mutely nodded, not knowing what to say. They were all trying to get away from what their minds refused to let go of: Nick and Brian. The fear of losing them ate at their hearts, anxiety turning their stomachs. They couldn’t lose them.

AJ looked around the waiting room and gasped when he saw the boy, seeing the same shocking resemblance as Kevin and Howie. AJ stared, shaking his head slightly as he rasped from behind the clear plastic mask, “Son of a- ...He looks just like little Nicky...”

Howie gripped AJ’s wrist, “We know, AJ. We saw it, too. Maybe it’s a good sign... that- that Nick and Brian will be okay.”

AJ just blinked repeatedly, soon hunching over and covering his eyes with his free hand. Both Howie and Kevin heard the sniffles and gasps, glancing at each other with mirroring fear and sadness reflecting in their eyes.

Kevin reached across awkwardly to AJ who sat at his left with his right arm, his hand gripping the uninjured shoulder in a supportive grip, “They’ll be fine, AJ. They just gotta be.”

~/~/~/~/~()~~~~~

It was hours before anyone approached them, and when they looked up into the doctor’s face, fear and apprehension choked them. It was a man with graying hair, tall and lean with soft brown eyes. He had looked about the waiting room before inquiring, “Anyone here for a Mr. Brian Littrell?”

Kevin had immediately answered, “Yes, we are.”

Nodding, the doctor approached them. Seeing their injuries, he sat on the coffee table to save them the effort of standing. They were quite a sight to the doctor, as they still had their all black concert clothes on, silver accents in designs on their chests. The doctor shook himself and faced them, “I’m Dr. Roberts. I just finished getting Mr. Littrell situated in ICU. I had to perform surgery to remove the bullet and he had some slight internal bleeding from the broken ribs.”

Dr. Roberts paused, looking at the faces that held onto every word he said. He sighed, then smiled, “He should be fine. I put him in ICU as a precaution after the surgery in case of any complications. The surgery was a complete success, but it’s better to be cautious. The extent of Mr. Littrell’s injuries were four broken ribs on his left side and two cracked on his right. The bullet in his shoulder wasn’t deep but was lodged in the muscle tissue. His other injury aside from the slight internal bleeding was a mild concussion.”

Each of the three men had paled at the list of injuries to their brother, Howie managing to find his voice first, “But... he’s okay? We can see him?”

“Yes, he should be fine.” Dr. Roberts smiled pleasantly, “You’ll be able to visit him, one at a time, in a few hours.”

Some of the heaviness lifted from their hearts at the good news, then Kevin hesitantly spoke, “What about Nick... his whole name is Nick Carter. He was brought in with Brian.”

Dr. Roberts looked puzzled, “I know nothing of a Nick Carter, but I’ve been busy with Mr. Littrell. A different doctor would have been assigned to Mr. Carter. You’ll have to wait for him, but I can check into it to see if I can find anything out for you.”

Kevin nodded, “Please do, we have to know.”

Dr. Roberts nodded and left the three men. Howie smiled at Kevin and AJ, “Brian’s okay... He’s okay!”

Kevin added his own smile, “Thank God... I was goin’ nuts waiting.”

AJ was silent, then breathed softly, “We don’t know about Nick... ...and you know that if-” AJ’s voice died off and he cleared his throat, his voice raspy but louder, “...if Nick doesn’t make it... ...” AJ looked into their eyes with resolute knowledge, “It would kill Brian.”

Kevin and Howie were shocked back to the reality they had to face. It was true, they didn’t know if they would be able to keep Brian if they lost Nick. Howie and Kevin looked at each other with their own knowledge that AJ had yet to know of. It would especially kill Brian if he remembered what Nick had done in that arena.

“Excuse me,” said a gentle and weary voice.

They looked up at a woman in green scrubs who was pulling elastic gloves from her hands, the gloves were colored red. The dark red color was also splattered on the front of her green shirt. Howie, Kevin, and AJ glanced at each other.

She continued, “Are you here for a Nickolas Carter?”

Wordlessly they nodded their heads, then Kevin managed to croak out, “How is he?”
Chapter 10 by Refuse
The doctor sighed, lifting a hand to brush away a few errant brown strands of hair from her forehead, “He’s stable, for now. Nickolas has suffered some very severe injuries-” She paused, looking into Kevin’s worried eyes, “We almost lost him in surgery.”

Kevin paled and leaned back in his chair, his gaze looking away. The doctor sat on the coffee table before them and continued, “Before I explain further, let me introduce myself. My name is Dr. Ruth Foster. I’ve been treating Nickolas since he came in.” Dr. Foster looked at each of them in turn, her eyes quizzical as they lingered on AJ, “Nickolas sustained a nasty gash on the arm that needed stitches, as did a cut on the side of his head. The critical injury he suffered was the gunshot wound. The bullet traveled through his upper chest on the right, entering just below his collar bone. It broke a rib in two places and knicked a lung, causing a slow collapse and internal bleeding.”

Feeling her inquiring gaze, the three stunned Backstreet Boys looked up. Dr. Foster spoke, “I saw Nickolas had received a previous blow to the head, only yesterday from his records.”

Howie cleared his throat, his voice rough, “Yeah, they said he was fine though. Said he didn’t even have a concussion.”

Dr. Foster nodded and looked down briefly, “Yes, but this additional blow over such a short time was not beneficial. The head injury, blood loss, and internal damage caused Nickolas to go into shock. We immediately operated to repair his damaged lung and stop the bleeding, known to the fact that he was extremely weak, but we had no choice, we had to stop the bleeding and close up that lung... The entire situation caused his heart to stop in the operating room.”

Their eyes widened. An upset AJ pressed the oxygen mask tighter over his mouth and nose as he took in gulping breaths, his gasps more like wheezes. Howie reached over numbly, rubbing a hand in soothing circles against AJ’s back, careful of his shoulder. Slowly, AJ’s breathing slowed to more controlled heaves. Kevin rubbed his hand down his face, his mind attempting to take in the shocking information.

With a practiced eye observing AJ, Dr. Foster continued, “We were able to bring him back, but... it is unknown how he’ll recover from the trauma. Nickolas is unconscious, and will be that way for some time.” She hesitated, “There is a chance he may never wake. We’ll do what we can, but it’s entirely up to Nickolas. Now, all any of us can do is wait and pray for the best.” She paused and her eyes softened, “I’ll tell you straight off, the sooner Nickolas wakes, the better. He’s currently labeled as in critical condition.”

Kevin rubbed his eyes, his mind reeling, “God... ...Can- can we see him?”

Dr. Foster nodded, “I’ll let you see him for a few minutes, he’s in recovery at the moment. You can visit him until we have to move him to ICU.”

Howie looked up, his brown eyes luminescent, “Can he be roomed with Brian?” At the doctor’s confused expression, Howie elaborated, “Brian Littrell. He’s in ICU too, and they’re both of our friends.”

She pursed her lips, “We normally have single occupants only in ICU, but... I’ll see what I can do.” Dr. Foster stood, as did Kevin, Howie, and AJ. The latter rose from the chair with some difficulty, a wince pulling at his features beneath the clear mask. Dr. Foster pinned AJ with a knowing stare, “You, young man, should be in bed. Tell me, were you permitted to leave your room?” Her eyes looked him up and down, knowing he wouldn’t need to be admitted, but the young man needed rest. She could read it in his eyes and face.

AJ swallowed nervously and ducked his head as Howie and Kevin fixed their eyes on his form, his voice was strained as he spoke, “Uh, well... The EMT said I could go for a walk... He never said I had to come back.”

Howie rolled his eyes as Kevin frowned, his green eyes searching AJ’s face, “AJ, are you sayin’ you should be in a bed and not walking around? That you just left your room?”

AJ looked up through his eyelashes, his voice small, “Um... yeah, pretty much.”

“Then,” stated the doctor, “I suggest you return to your room. You are in no condition to be up and about so soon.”

“I wanna see my friends,” AJ glared, his dark eyes flashing, “I’m not going anywhere near my room until I see them. I have to see them, I have to.”

“AJ-” Kevin started, but was cut off.

“No, Kevin,” AJ shook his head. He turned his eyes to Kevin, their dark depths now glazed in pleading, “Please, Kev. I have to see them. Please...”

Kevin held the imploring gaze, the look so foreign on the face looking back at him, “All right, AJ. You can see them, but I want you in bed as soon as possible. I already have two friends in here, I don’t want more.”

AJ and Howie heard the slight quake in the eldest’s voice, the request--prayer--that no one else he loved would be hurt. AJ nodded his head, “Deal, Kev. C’mon, let’s go see Nick.”

Dr. Foster was touched by the obvious connection between the three men before her and the young man that was her patient. She smiled at them warmly and helped AJ with his oxygen tank, the young man was tiring. They walked out of the waiting room and down the hall, past several rooms before they turned into a corridor and pushed through wide swinging doors and into recovery.

Making sure AJ could manage on his own, Dr. Foster turned to them, a curtain behind her, “Now, Nickolas is hooked up to quite a lot of support and monitoring machines, so don’t be too startled. We also have him on a ventilator until his lung heals enough to work on its own.” She turned around and grasped the curtain, pausing, “I’ll ask you to keep it low key, I don’t want him to experience too much too soon, unconscious or not.” With that, Dr. Foster swung open the curtain and stepped quietly from the room.

“Oh, Jesus...” Kevin didn’t even realize the words escaped his lips, his green eyes fixed on the unmoving form before him.

The alarmingly pale figure stretching the length of the gurney was silent and still, save for the continuous beeping of the heart monitor and the reassuring whisper of the ventilator that sounded with every rise and fall of Nick’s chest. A beige blanket covered Nick’s form to just below his shoulders, his arms resting on top of the material along his sides and tucking the blanket snugly about his frame. The thin, papery hospital gown was sleeveless and revealed to Kevin, AJ, and Howie’s eyes the white bandages tightly encompassing Nick’s chest and shoulder, one forearm similarly wrapped with an IV trailing from his hand. Nick’s lax face was a waxy pale, a clear glaze of sweat emphasizing the colorless skin save for rouge colored fever spots on his cheeks and dark shadows below his closed eyes. A clear tube came from the corner of a mouth whose normally rosy lips were now the palest pink, the plastic tube trailing away from Nick’s body and to the steadily working ventilator. Another white bandage encircled Nick’s head, a single width wrap that covered his forehead and circled above his ears. His now dull blond hair fell limply over his covered forehead, adding to the contrast of Nick’s pallor.

Howie approached the still form of his friend, his crutches clicking on the tiled floor. He stopped at Nick’s right side and leaned on his crutches’ support, sparing a glance at Kevin and AJ as they moved to Nick’s other side. He returned his wide brown eyes to his young friend before him and carefully reached out to take hold of the limp hand, “God, Nick... ...You-” he cleared his throat, “You’re gonna be okay. Y’hear that, Nick? You have to wake up and get better.” Howie gave the hand a squeeze, “We need you, buddy.”

AJ rested a hand on Nick’s blanket covered leg, partly to physically touch his friend and partly to keep from falling on his face. He was just so tired. He raised his other arm from the sling with a wince, pulling the mask from his face to hang loosely around his neck, his voice a husky raw whisper when he spoke, “That’s right, Kaos. You need to come back to us, man. What would we do for fun without you, huh? Ya keep life interestin’ with all those pranks you pull. An’ don’t you forget Brian. He’s okay and you’ll be with him soon,” AJ wheezed as he took in a deep breath, his eyes watching Nick’s face for the slightest indication that he was about to wake, “but ya gotta wake up and show him that yer gonna be okay, too. You know how he worries ‘bout ya... C’mon, Nick. Wake up for us.”

Nick remained silent. AJ ducked his head in despair, then suddenly turning away to cover a cough. Kevin reached a hesitant hand out to Nick’s face. He gently combed the dull blond hair from Nick’s pale forehead in a soft, continuous motion with his fingers. Holding his injured arm to his stomach, Kevin let his shining green eyes fix on Nick’s closed eyes, the dark lashes a soft crescent shape that kissed the pale cheeks. Kevin’s eyebrows rose as he held back tears, his lips parting to take in a heavy breath. He continued his gentle touch as he spoke in a low tone, “Nick... This is all over, everything is over with. So, you gotta be okay now... Lalita’s gone. We’re gonna be all right now, but you gotta wake up... C’mon, Nicky. Please-” Kevin trailed off, his mind forgetting the other two occupants in the room with him. He only focussed on Nick’s pale face, “I’ve watched you grow up, I-I’m your friend... but... ...you’re almost like a son to me...” Kevin had to work past the suffocating lump in his throat, “So, you just gotta wake up. C’mon, Nick. Wake up... You have to be okay, Nicky... Please...”

Howie watched in solemn silence as the tears finally fell down Kevin’s face when Nick failed to respond, remaining still. He had always wondered about how Kevin seemed to treat the youngest in their group. Kevin had been--still is--more of a disciplinary person with Nick than with the rest of them, even AJ, who was only a couple years older than Nick and more outwardly rebellious. With Nick having been so young when they had started the Backstreet Boys, the young blond had had a vulnerability about him that you just kinda latched onto. When Nick grew into a young man, he had seemed to lose that trait and had become more confidant, but you would still sometimes see that familiar insecure kid in the darting blue eyes. He was still there.

AJ stepped back from the bed and stared at his young friend. He hated seeing Nick like this, so sick, so frail, so... lifeless. Placing the mask back over his nose and mouth, AJ shook his head and took in a deep breath. Who would have ever thought one of them--two of them, would be in the hospital because they were shot.

Shot.

That wasn’t supposed to happen to them, none of what they went through the past two days was supposed to happen to them. Hell, what happened to them a year ago wasn’t supposed to happen to them. It just wasn’t. They were supposed to be happy and healthy and not be stalked by a mad woman. It was nuts. Now, all AJ wanted was his friends back. Wanted them well, healthy and not stuck in a hospital. Nick... Nick might... No, he would be fine. They all would be fine because they would get through it. AJ knew they could, because... they just had to. He didn’t know what he’d do without them. Besides his mother, he didn’t really have anybody else... he just didn’t have any other friends like these guys. He had grown up with them.

“Excuse me.”

AJ jumped slightly and Howie and Kevin looked up sharply, all abruptly taken from their thoughts at the voice. Dr. Foster smiled warmly, trying to extricate the young men from their friend in a kind way, “I’m sorry, but you must leave. We have to prep Nickolas to be moved to ICU. And yes,” she answered the question in Howie’s eyes, “I managed to arrange it so Nickolas will be roomed with Mr. Littrell. Now, if you’ll excuse us?”

Silently, Kevin and the others started to leave the room, finding it hard to tear their eyes away from Nick’s face. They wanted to see something, anything, to show that he would wake up. Kevin paused at Dr. Foster’s side, “Can you tell us what room Brian’s in? So we can go see him?”

She nodded, “He’s in room 139, this floor.”

Kevin smiled slightly, “Thanks.” He and the others stepped out of the room, leaving with Nick their prayers asking that he’d be okay.

Standing in the hall, the three looked lost as people passed them by. Kevin wiped his face, extinguishing the wetness his tears had left. He looked at AJ and Howie, “I-I guess we should see Brian before they take Nick in with him... We gotta tell him... about Nick...”

“But,” interrupted Howie, “The doctor said we could only see him one at a time.”

AJ leaned on his oxygen tank for support, quirking an eyebrow at Howie, “What’re they gonna do? Throw us out? ...I don’t care what they say, we’re all gonna see him.”

Kevin bit his lip, but nodded. He didn’t want to go against the hospital’s criteria, but would when it came to his friends. Kevin also saw AJ slowly tiring, he wondered how long it would be until the rebel simply collapsed from exhaustion. He shook his head, he wouldn’t let him get that far. Kevin stepped up to AJ’s side and, without a word, took his arm and oxygen tank to help him keep his feet as they walked to Brian’s room. Howie limped behind them on his crutches, his leg beginning to throb.

Kevin stopped before a door and stared at the bold number 139, not able to push himself to cross the threshold. He couldn’t just walk in there, see his cousin lying in a hospital bed, having barely survived being shot, and tell him his best friend could... Kevin shut his eyes... die. How could he possibly do that?

AJ saw the reluctance on Kevin’s features and gripped the tall man’s arm, “C’mon, Kev. Ya know we gotta do this. He has to know before they wheel the kid in there, so we gotta tell him now... C’mon,” AJ held the unsteady green eyes that locked with his deep browns, “open the door, Kev.”

Kevin let out a short breath and nodded, pausing slightly before pushing against the door. It swung open and they all entered, stopping at the sight of Brian’s immobile form sprawled on a sterile white hospital bed. He was propped up, his head turned slightly away from them. His right arm laid limply at his side while the other hugged around his chest, strapped there by pale bandages, an IV leading from his right hand. His sandy blond hair appeared dark brown on the white pillows, the dark strands accentuating the dark circles under his closed eyes. Brian’s skin still retained some color, but the white sheets and pillows numbed his essence to appear pale.

AJ moved around Kevin’s solemn stance and went to Brian’s right side, his eyes never leaving the steadily moving chest. He glanced up as Howie appeared at Brian’s other side, but quickly brought his eyes back to Brian. He reached out with his only free hand and gently gripped Brian’s hand, careful of the IV, “Hey, Brian.” He gave the hand a squeeze, “Bri’, you in there, bud? C’mon, wake up.”

A breathy moan parted Brian’s lips and his head rolled toward AJ. AJ smiled, “Yeah, that’s it. Wake up, Brian. Ya got company.”

Brian frowned and his brow furrowed as his eyelids fluttered, trying to wake. Finally, Brian cracked his eyes open and he squinted groggily up at AJ’s oxygen masked face, the tired dark eyes smiling down at him. “AJ?” he croaked, his throat dry.

Howie looked behind him and found a pitcher of water and a glass. He reached for it and after filling the glass half full, turned back to Brian, “Here, Brian. Drink this.”

Brian blinked and looked at Howie, his eyebrows rose, “Howie?”

“Yeah,” smiled Howie, swaying slightly as he leaned on his crutches, “it’s me. Now, here. Drink.”

His blue eyes clearing somewhat, Brian did as was told, the water soothing his dry throat. Howie put the glass down when he finished. Brian looked at the figure at the doorway of his room, “Kevin?”

Slightly hesitant, Kevin walked to the end of Brian’s bed, “Yeah, Brian. I’m here, too.”

Brian frowned and looked around at the strangely silent group, his voice matter of fact, “You guys look like hell.”

Howie and AJ laughed slightly, even Kevin cracked a grin. AJ rubbed his thumb over the back of the hand he still grasped, “Yeah, well, we look a good sight better than you, bro’. How you feelin’?”

Brian shifted and winced, looking up at AJ, “Ouch.”

Howie smiled up at AJ, “Guess that answers yer question, Bone.”

Brian grinned, the pain that circled his chest and emanated from his shoulder distant, detached. He knew it had to be drugs. He looked about the room and then looked at AJ, blue eyes suddenly fearful as what had happened to put him the hospital flooded his mind, “Nick?”

The smile left AJ’s face and his eyes looked to Kevin, who appeared uncomfortable as Brian’s unknowing yet apprehensive blue eyes turned to him at AJ’s silence. Brian’s brow furrowed at the continued heavy silence and he soon became agitated, attempting to push himself up and gasping at the pain that flared. He fell back to the pillows and let his scared eyes boar into Kevin’s, “Kev? Wha-what’s wrong with Nick?”

Kevin shifted his feet and fingered the cast on his arm, his eyes darting to Howie. Brian looked around at each of them in turn, his stomach turning at the horrible possibilities flashing through his mind about his best friend. His heart sped up and the monitor’s beeping quickened at his agitation, “What- ...Oh, God. He’s not...”

“No!” cried AJ quickly, returning Brian’s now fierce grip on his hand, “He’s alive.”

Brian sagged back in relief, but his features remained fearful, “Then... What is it? I know h-he...” Brian glanced away, his features blanching in memory, “He wasn’t good at the stadium, but...” Brian’s shining blue eyes landed on Kevin, “Please, just tell me. Please...”

Kevin sighed and lowered his eyes, slowly bringing them back to Brian’s face, “Nick... Nick is...” Kevin shut his eyes briefly. C’mon, just say it. Kevin now held his cousin’s eyes, “Brian, Nick’s not doin’ so good.” Kevin rubbed his forehead, his eyes darting away, “They aren’t sure he’s gonna make it.”

Brian stared at Kevin, not entirely sure he understood the words. He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it, not sure what to say. Tears pricked his eyes and he again tried to speak, this time succeeding, “Kevin... Are you sayin’ that Nick... that Nick might... die?”

Green eyes shining, Kevin simply nodded. Brian felt his eyes fill with stinging tears as he looked to first AJ’s downcast face, then Howie’s. His vision blurred and he blinked, tear drops falling from his anguished eyes. His shook his head, his voice tearful and begging, “No... No! H-he can’t die! ...No...” Brian’s eyes begged up at Kevin, “Please, Kev... He can’t... He just can’t...” Brian watched a single tear slide down Kevin’s face before the elder turned away, Brian looked frantically at AJ and Howie. He squeezed AJ’s hand hard, “He won’t die. He won’t.”

AJ turned his head away, not able to watch Brian, to look into the blue eyes that pleaded for some divine intervention. AJ glanced behind him and saw a chair. He hooked a leg of it with his foot and dragged it toward himself, gratefully sinking into its support as he continued to hold Brian’s now shaking hand.

Brian looked again at the solemn faces of his friends. They all thought that Nick could die. Brian couldn’t think of that possibility, not when... when... “Oh, God...” He gasped suddenly, tearing his hand from AJ’s grasp and using it to cover his eyes as the horrible images flashed through his mind. The gunshot’s long echo surrounded him and he flinched as he felt Nick slam into him. Brian pressed his hand harder against his eyes as he saw Nick’s lifeless face, his chest red with blood... Brian slammed his hand against the bed, eyes snapping open, “It’s my fault!”

Howie looked up quickly at the words, his brown eyes wide, “What? Nothing’s your fault, Brian.”

Brian lifted his hand to rake it through his limp hair, wincing as he touched the tender bruise behind his ear. He lifted his red rimmed eyes to Howie, “Yes, it is. Nick took that bullet for me, Howie. Lalita was going to kill me and... and he just jumped in front of it... He saved my life, ‘D. Now- Now he might die because of that... It’s my fault. I shoulda saw it coming and gotten myself out of the way. Then Nick would be fine and not... not...” He couldn’t finish, his hand dropping to his side. He lowered his blue eyes in guilt.

Howie and Kevin traded glances. They were afraid Brian would do this. AJ, meanwhile, looked shocked. He hadn’t known. AJ looked with wide eyes at Howie and Kevin, “Nick did that?” He whispered in disbelief.

Howie simply nodded, his attention on Brian. He reached forward and lifted Brian’s face to look at him, the blue eyes refusing to lift, “Brian, look at me. Please?” Brian reluctantly looked up into Howie’s eyes, “It’s not your fault. Nick... Nick did what he wanted to do, it was his choice. I think it was more instinct than anything else. He saw what was gonna happen and did the only thing he thought he could to stop it...” Howie tilted his head at Brian, “Would you have done any different if the roles were reversed?” Brian tried to turn away, but Howie held him back, “No, you’d of done the same thing, and you know it, Brian. The same as the rest of us. It... it was just Nick that saw it first.”

“He’s right, Bri’,” added AJ softly, reclaiming Brian’s hand. He hesitated only slightly before going on, ”Think about Alaska, man. That’s all ya need. We went through hell, but we made it ‘cause we looked out for each other. We saved each other’s butts a bunch of times, Brian.”

Brian looked at AJ, “Yeah, but none of us almost died, AJ. He- he could still...” Brian refused to say it.

“Listen, Brian,” voiced Kevin, his voice steady, “The doctor said that if-” Kevin closed his eyes at his slip, “when Nick wakes up, he should be out of the woods. He just has to wake up.”

“Just has to wake up,” mumbled Brian, his voice small. He felt his conviction that Nick would be okay melting away. What if Nick did die? He closed his eyes, then looked up at his friends, “Could- could you guys give me a minute alone?”

Howie glanced at Kevin, but nodded, “Sure. We’ll be just outside. We’ll come back in when they bring Nick in here.”

Brian looked up sharply, “They’re bringin’ him... here? This room?”

“Yeah,” toned Kevin, “We asked for you guys to be in the same room.”

Brian stared for a moment, then nodded. With a shared glance, Kevin, Howie, and AJ left the room. As the door closed behind his friends, Brian sighed and fell limp in his bed. He stared listlessly up at the ceiling.

“God, I’m sorry,” he whispered, his voice strained. He frowned as his eyes crinkled, twinkling with a sheen of unshed tears, “Nick, I’m so sorry. It’s my fault. It’s just... It’s all my fault!” A hoarse sob escaped Brian as he squeezed his eyes shut, guilt and self hatred filling his heart as he cried. The sobs shook his frame, and he gasped at the pain that sliced across his chest and shoulder, but he didn’t care. He didn’t care about anything. He had done this to his best friend. Brian blinked his pained eyes open, staring at something only he could see, “If Nick doesn’t make it, it’s my fault. I would’ve killed him... me.”

With a heavy heart, Brian closed his eyes, his remaining tears sliding silently down his face. He didn’t care. Nothing mattered anymore. He was a horrible person. What kind of person gets his best friend killed? He didn’t want anything to do with anything anymore. Not Kevin. Not Howie. Not AJ. No one and no thing. All things he cared about got hurt around him and he refused to let it happen ever again. Never again. He didn’t think he would be able to take it, not if Nick...

Brian shut it out. He shut everything out. That way, he wouldn’t get hurt anymore, and he couldn’t hurt them... Brian took a deep, trembling breath. He forced himself to relax and soon fell into a deep, numbing sleep.

~/~/~/~/~( )~~~~~

AJ slumped heavily into the cushioned chair, a wince pulling at the deep brown eyes as his shoulder flared in pain. It was going to be a trial until his slashed shoulder would be healed, but he just had to suck it up and bare it until that time came. At the moment though, he could care less what he felt like. He looked up at Kevin and Howie, his eyes dark in worry, “Brian’s not takin’ it, is he.”

Kevin spared AJ a quick glance at the words, the question more like a statement of fact. He assisted Howie in taking a seat beside the waiting AJ, then seated himself on the other side of the rebel. He sat in silence for several moments before speaking, his voice soft, “No...” He shut his eyes and rubbed his forehead, “God, I don’t know what we’re gonna do if-... if Nick doesn’t make it. The way Brian’s thinkin’, he’ll blame himself for it all. I... I just don’t know what to do.”

Howie had stooped over to try and scratch under his cast, when his neck craned around at Kevin’s last words. He straightened, “We just have to be there for him... for each other. We have to keep tellin’ Brian it wasn’t his fault, too. He’s gotta understand that this was nobody’s fault, and there was no way any of us coulda stopped it from happening.” Howie’s lips turned into a twisted, sardonic smirk, “Call it a sick twist of fate.”

Kevin winced at the harsh description, then scowled, “Fate my ass. We are the only ones in control of how we live, we make our own choices.” Kevin’s hardened features then crumbled, his eyes looking away, “And Nick made his.”

AJ sighed, “Well, then we can’t make his choice in vain. We have to get through to Brian, have to make him understand. Nick would hate it if Brian blamed himself for all this.”

“Wait a minute,” spoke Howie, his voice clear, “Why’re you guys talkin’ like Nick’s already gone?” Howie’s jaw slowly dropped at the silent and downcast expressions that answered him, “You- you don’t think Nick’s gonna make it?”

Kevin’s voice was small, “We just don’t wanna rule out the chance that Nick might die, Howie. I can’t just go around with all this happenin’ like everything’s goin’ to be fine. We don’t know if it will... the worst can happen, ‘D. We’ve been hit by it before. My dad, your sister... It can happen, Howie.”

Howie was stunned, “But you can’t just give up on ‘im! Nick would never, NEVER, give up on us! He would believe in us, believe that we’d make it. It would be the least that we could do to respond in kind to him, he deserves our hope!”

AJ turned white with the accusations thrown at him and Kevin, “Howie!” He gasped, “We haven’t given up on Nick, that’s impossible. I’d never give up hope... I- I don’t want to lose him...”

Howie’s anger fell away at those last, whispered words. He sent Kevin a sorrowful glance, ashamed of his callous behavior. He moved a hand to grip AJ’s forearm, his eyes seeking forgiveness, “God, I’m sorry AJ. I- I didn’t mean that, I just... just jumped to my own conclusions. I just can’t stand all that’s happenin’... I’m so sorry.”

AJ just nodded, he was too tired to do anything else. Tired of the fear, of the waiting... just plain tired of it all. He leaned back in the chair, but immediately straightened at the pain the action caused.

Kevin locked eyes with Howie, conveying both forgiveness and a concern over AJ’s drooping form. Kevin returned his eyes to AJ, “I think it’s time for you to get back to your room, AJ. You’re zonked, man.”

AJ resolutely shook his head, “I’m stayin’.”

“AJ,” placated Howie, leaning forward to get a look at AJ’s downcast face, “Please, you have to rest. We don’t want you to get worse.”

AJ blinked his heavy eyelids, pursing his lips, “After they bring Nick, okay? Then I’ll rest.”

Howie and Kevin shared another glance, Kevin slowly nodded, “All right, ‘J. After Nick gets here, but that’s it. You’re gonna take it easy after that.”

It was ten minutes later that the foreboding sight of Nick’s still form being wheeled toward them appeared. They forced their stiff, exhausted forms to their feet, their worried eyes seeking the woman’s eyes as she stopped before them.

Dr. Foster dropped her eyes slightly, her voice a monotone, “No change.”

The three young men seemed to sag a bit more at the blunt words, their hopeful expressions falling into sadness. The door to the ICU room was pushed open and as Dr. Foster followed the stretcher inside, she placed a consoling hand on Kevin’s shoulder. The words she spoke were barely a whisper, “Don’t give up on him, he’s strong. He has to be with friends like you guys.”

Kevin gave her a half smile, his green eyes remaining sad. He then waited for Howie to enter the room after the doctor, his gaze fixed on AJ’s listing form. When the exhausted rebel stumbled, Kevin moved in without a word. He looped his good arm behind AJ’s back, mindful of his shoulder, and helped him into the room. He lead AJ to a chair between the two beds in the room, a frown turning his lips as AJ’s half hooded brown eyes fixated on Nick’s pale form. He didn’t know how they were going to get AJ to relax. AJ was worried sick and Kevin believed that was wearing on AJ more than the physical.

Dr. Foster looked to the other bedridden young man in the room and frowned. They had said his name was Brian. Brian. That was the name Nick had cried out the last brief time he was conscious. It was when he had entered the ER, the cry part of a fevered delirium. It was the last thing Nick had said before he had fallen unconscious for the last time. Dr. Foster’s gaze flitted over the other three men. She didn’t think they needed to know that, they already had too much weighing them down as it was. As the nurses finished getting Nick settled into his bed, Dr. Foster walked up to Kevin.

“You can all stay for a while longer,” she spoke softly, “Tell me immediately if there is any change.”

Kevin nodded numbly and she left the room, the nurses soon following. Kevin’s green eyes were glued to Nick’s still face. The only way the hospital was going to get him to leave the room was by brute force. Visiting hours be damned, he wasn’t leaving his friends.

As Howie awkwardly fell into a chair on the other side of Nick, propping his throbbing leg on the edge of the bed, Kevin let his eyes stray to Brian. His cousin was asleep, oblivious to the arrival of his best friend. Kevin hadn’t the heart to wake him, especially at the sight of the tear tracks on the flushed cheeks. Kevin turned his head to the ceiling, his eyes sliding shut. God, he hoped they’d get through this. He didn’t think any of them could make it alone.
Chapter 11 by Refuse
“AJ, you promised,” Kevin’s tone was low, his eyes narrowed in frustration, “You said when Nick was brought in, you’d go back to your room. That was two hours ago. AJ, please...”

AJ shook his head, his hands holding onto Nick’s lax one tighter. He sat in the same chair, his form slumped forward with his elbows leaning on the edge of Nick’s bed for support. His dark eyes never left Nick’s face, his hearing never strayed from the rhythmic whoosh of the ventilator. How could he leave? He just couldn’t.

Kevin looked to Howie for help, who was gradually succumbing to exhaustion as well. Howie returned Kevin’s look, then addressed AJ with a weary voice, “You can’t keep this up, AJ. It won’t help Nick if you get sick. Please, you have to rest...”

“Where is he?!” called a worried, exasperated, and angered male voice. Three heads snapped to the door and one figure awoke with a start, sleep laden, bloodshot eyes looking for the cause of the noise.

The young man strode into the room, the figure stopping beside AJ’s suddenly sullen form. Kevin blinked, glancing at Howie and then back to their new arrival, “Alec?”

Hazel eyes looked up from their stare of AJ, “Yeah. I’ve been lookin’ for this fool for the past hour. I told him he could go for a walk, not that he could leave!”

Kevin pinned AJ with surprised eyes, “Alec? Alec was the EMT you ditched? AJ, how could you do that?”

AJ’s tired eyes narrowed, frowning behind the oxygen mask, “I had to see Nick and Brian. I wasn’t gonna sit in no hospital room by myself, and I ain’t leavin’.”

Alec ran a hand through his chestnut hair, his eyes darting to Kevin, “I had to go on another call, that’s why I left him. I didn’t think he’d do this. He even changed out of the hospital gown and back into his clothes. AJ,” Alec let AJ see his concern, “You really shouldn’t be up like this. You’re gonna get sick. You need to lie down and rest.”

AJ released Nick’s hand and shot to his feet, ignoring his pain, “Damn it! I’m not leavin’ him!” AJ ripped off the oxygen mask, his brown eyes glaring at the startled faces, “I refuse to let him go, even if it means I stay here for a month, I don’t care! He can’t leave us, I won’t let him!”

“AJ-” started Kevin, his expression startled at AJ’s emotional words.

AJ was about to cut Kevin off when the room suddenly seemed to tilt and grow dark. He lifted a hand to his eyes as the room then began to spin, his legs losing their strength to the point that they could no longer support him.

Kevin’s stunned face abruptly changed to fear as AJ fell forward, pure instinct causing him to lunge forward to catch him, “AJ!”

Alec was there right beside Kevin, helping to support the unconscious rebel. Alec saw Kevin wince in pain and remembered the broken arm, “Hey, I got ‘im Kevin. You better let go with that arm, I got ‘im.”

Reluctantly, Kevin released AJ’s weight to Alec, who carefully settled AJ back into the chair. Howie finally found his voice, his eyes wide, “What happened to him? Is- is he gonna be okay?”

Alec looked over at the Latino, who still sat in the chair at Nick’s other side, leg propped on the bed, “He passed out. It was all just too much. The exhaustion, pain, and stress finally got to him. He should be okay if we get him to bed, the chair doesn’t help his shoulder.”

AJ groaned softly, his head moving slightly. Kevin was on his knees beside him immediately, “AJ?”

AJ was mumbling something and Kevin had to lean close to make anything out, “Not leavin’... Please, don’t make me go... ...please...”

Kevin got to his feet slowly as AJ went quiet, succumbing to the blackness once again. Kevin looked at Alec, “He’s stayin’ here.”

“But Kevin-” Alec protested, but was stopped.

“He’d just sneak back here as soon as he could anyway, Alec,” reasoned Kevin. “He’s got it in his head that if he left, Nick wouldn’t be here when he came back. Please, Alec?”

Alec took in Kevin’s expression, then Howie’s. He sighed, “All right, Kevin. I’ll see if I can get a cot in here or somethin’. The hospital’s gonna get on yer case, though. I hope yer gonna be ready for it.”

Kevin’s face hardened, “Oh, I’m ready. Don’t worry about that.”

Alec rubbed the back of his neck, trying to work away a day of tension, “I’ll go and see about that cot, then. I’ll be back.”

Kevin nodded and sat down on the edge of Nick’s bed as Alec left the room, weariness beginning to overtake him. He stared down at Nick’s still form, not noticing the sad blue eyes watching from the other bed.

Brian didn’t move, not wanting to draw attention. He’d seen AJ collapse and had felt a twist in his gut. How many more of them would fall? The look on Kevin’s face at that moment broke Brian’s heart. He looked so sad and lost, not the confidant and proud Kevin he normally saw. His blue eyes switched to Howie and he winced. Howie looked wiped out. Everything about him was worn, from his tousled dark hair to his weary face. Brian frowned as he looked at AJ’s slumped form. Even unconscious, AJ looked stressed and worried. Brian carefully let out a soft sigh, trying to find the strength to look at his best friend.

Finally, he forced his eyes to his blond friend’s visage and couldn’t stop the small sob from escaping, “Nick...”

Kevin’s head snapped up at the soft cry, his green eyes landing on his cousin’s pained face. He grimaced and pushed to his feet, sparing Howie a glance. Howie returned his worried expression. Kevin looked back at his cousin, “Brian-” Kevin stopped, not sure what to say. He walked over to and sat on Brian’s bed, his green eyes sincere as Brian looked up at him, “Brian, he’ll be fine. Okay? He’ll be fine.”

Brian’s eyes filled with liquid and his bottom lip trembled as he held the tears back. He looked at Kevin for a minute longer, then returned his gaze to Nick. Brian didn’t say anything, he just shut Kevin out.

Kevin’s brow furrowed, “Brian?”

No answer. Brian closed his eyes and shut them all out, the tears he’d held back escaping and silently sliding down his face.

~/~/~/~/~( )~~~~~

Howie blinked his eyes open, the gray light of early morning streaming through the window at his back and illuminating the crowded hospital room. He yawned and rubbed his face, attempting to wake up fully. He hadn’t meant to fall asleep, he had wanted to sit up with Kevin to watch over their three friends. Now, as he focussed on his dismal surroundings, he wondered how the sun had the nerve to shine at such a horrible time.

Sitting up from his slumped position in the chair, Howie winced and rubbed the back of this neck. The chair was not meant to be slept in, that was for sure. Howie half grinned, remembering the confrontation of Kevin and the hospital staff that had tried to kick them out of the room. Kevin had basically told them they’d have to fight him to get him to leave. Obviously, the staff backed down. It wasn’t going to hurt the patients that they stayed, more that it would wear the visitors down. Howie and Kevin didn’t care. They stayed.

Howie looked at the cot stationed at the end of Nick’s bed, his small smile falling away at AJ’s sleeping form. The rebel laid on his side, his unhindered arm buried beneath the pillow at his head while the oxygen mask was once again over his mouth and nose. AJ hadn’t woken up from his deep sleep since he had collapsed. Howie hoped he’d be okay, Alec said he would. Howie prayed he was right. He didn’t want anyone else to hurt like Brian and Nick.

Brian. Howie sighed and let his eyes fall on the sleeping southerner. What were they going to do about Brian? He wouldn’t talk to them, he hardly even looked at them. It was like he’d shut himself off from the world. Howie bit his lip. Nick was the only one that could get to Brian now. God, how they needed Nick to be okay. He had to be, they didn’t know what’d they do if he wasn’t. Howie had a horrible feeling that everything would just fall apart if Nick didn’t make it.

Howie’s sad brown eyes landed on Kevin and he felt a compassionate expression take over his face at the sight. Kevin sat at Nick’s side, his good hand gripping Nick’s. Kevin was asleep, his head resting on Nick’s left side. The sight warmed Howie’s heart. He knew that Kevin was scared, scared to death at losing Nick. What was worse, he also knew Kevin felt he was losing his cousin along with Nick. Kevin couldn’t bare it when the one’s he loved were in pain. The whole situation just sapped what Kevin had left of himself, drained the man’s spirit away.

Taking in and releasing a long breath, Howie eased his plastered leg from Nick’s bed. He winced as the injured limb throbbed, the blood rushing through it as he lowered it to the floor. He gripped the arms of his chair and scooted it closer to Nick’s bed. The chair’s wooden arm hit the bed’s metal bar and emitted a hard clang. Howie shot a look around, he didn’t want to wake anyone--well, except Nick. That was one person he desperately wanted to wake.

Kevin’s head moved and Howie winced. He watched as Kevin slowly lifted his head, blinking at the gray light until he focussed on Howie’s face. Howie smiled apologetically, “Mornin’, Kev.”

Kevin yawned, “Mornin’.”

Howie watched as Kevin looked about the room, their situation slowly working through the sluggish mind as sleep left him fully. Kevin’s eyes fell on Nick and then the hand he held. He gave it a squeeze.

Without looking up, Kevin asked, “No change?”

Howie cringed inwardly at the hope in the simple question, then shook his head, “No, but I just woke up, too.”

Howie reached forward and grasped Nick’s other hand, his ears listening to the soothing sound of the ventilator. Suddenly, the rhythmic pace of it changed and Nick’s chest rose abruptly in a gasp. The ventilator became uneven in breaths and Kevin’s and Howie’s eyes locked, fear clearly showing in their depths. Howie gripped Nick’s hand tighter, his voice pleading as he tried to reach Nick’s now gasping form, “Nick, no! Don’t do this! ...Please, Nick... Don’t do this to us!”

“Oh, God!” cried Kevin, his face white with panic and fear, “Nick! Stay with us! ...Please, Nicky!”

In a moment of clear thought, Howie reached with his other hand and punched the call button. Almost immediately, a nurse rushed in, “What happened?” She asked as she checked Nick’s vitals.

Kevin looked up to her, “We- we don’t know. His breathing just changed.”

She nodded curtly and rushed out of the room, soon returning with Dr. Foster and other nurses. Dr. Foster quickly checked Nick over and then faced the nurses, “We need to get him off of the ventilator, now.”

As a couple of the nurses nodded their heads in understanding, Dr. Foster addressed Howie and Kevin, her voice assuring, “He’s fighting the ventilator, trying to breathe on his own.” She suddenly smiled at them, her eyes lighting up, “He’s waking up.”

Their eyes widened, not daring to hope. Howie found his voice, “He- he is? He’s going to be all right?” By now, Howie was smiling, his brown eyes alight with happiness.

Dr. Foster nodded, resting a hand on the shocked Kevin’s shoulder, “That is what he’s doing right now, he’s semi-conscious and responding to the ventilator. He’s trying to wake up.”

Howie and Kevin almost fell out of their chairs as the hand they each held suddenly clasped tightly about theirs, the grip crushing.

“Holy Christ!” gasped Kevin, shocked from not only the grip, but the almost desperate feeling it communicated.

Howie shared a looked with him, his voice soft, “He’s scared.”

Then, suddenly, Nick’s eyes snapped open. The long since missed blue orbs roved around in terror, seeking help. Kevin leaned forward and tried to get Nick’s attention, tears of relief pricking his green eyes, “Nick... Nicky, it’s all right. Everything’s all right... I’m here, Kevin’s here. Okay? Howie’s here too, but you have to calm down...” The panicked blues finally focussed on Kevin’s face, locking with the green. Kevin smiled, “It’s okay, Nick. You’re in the hospital and you are on a ventilator that was helping you breathe. The doctor is going to remove it, okay? Then you can breathe on your own...”

Kevin watched as understanding slowly filled the blue eyes, but the fear remained unchecked, a shadow of pain surrounding them. Kevin squinted in sorrow, though his voice was strong, “I promise you, Nick. Everything will be fine. I promise...”

Finally, some of the fear left the wide eyes, which now looked to Howie. Howie gave Nick’s trembling hand a squeeze, “It’ll be okay, Nick. We promise...”

Nick’s gasping slowed to a more controlled level and his eyes moved to the dark haired woman in the white coat. She smiled, “Hello, Nickolas. I’m Dr. Foster. We’re just going to remove that tube from your throat, okay? Then you’ll be able breathe a lot better, all right?”

Nick glanced at Kevin, who gave him a nod of assurance. Nick managed to nod his head at the doctor. She smiled and motioned the nurses forward, Kevin and Howie making to move away, but the grip on their hands tightened even more and they had no choice but to simply try and stay out of the doctor’s way as much as possible.

Dr. Foster leaned over Nick and removed the tape that held the tube to the side of Nick’s mouth, then she gently grasped the tube. She looked him directly in the eyes as she spoke, asking him to trust her, “Now, I’m going to pull this out, Nickolas. I need you to cough, it’ll hurt to do so, but you must to remove the tube. Do you understand me?”

Again, Nick managed a nod, “Okay, on the count of three I want you to cough. One, two, three.”

Nick coughed, more gagging then anything else, as the doctor pulled the tube out. As soon as it was gone, Nick gasped in a deep breath, simultaneously crying out in pain. Nick’s eyes widened at the fierce pain that sliced through his chest and echoed throughout his head, then he pressed his head back in the pillow, shutting his eyes and releasing a low moan of pain.

“Take it easy, Nick,” soothed Kevin, “Just take it slow, buddy.”

Nick squinted one eye open to look up at Kevin, his whole face a picture of pain, “Hurts.” Was the one, croaked word of reply.

Howie could have fainted dead away at the sound of that voice. God, he couldn’t express how much he had missed it--feared he’d never hear it again. He looked up at Dr. Foster when she spoke.

“We’ll get you some pain medication immediately, Nickolas. We didn’t have you on much because we hoped the pain would help you to wake up.” She motioned to a nurse behind her, who then handed her a syringe. Without a word, Dr. Foster injected the pain reliever into the IV.

Nick just shut his eye and continued to hold on to Kevin and Howie’s hands, he wasn’t all that sure what was going on. What had happened? Why was he in the hospital? Why did it hurt to breathe?

Kevin shared a blinding smile with Howie, then turned back to Nick, “God, we’re so glad you’re gonna be okay, Nicky. You had us all real worried.”

Nick was beginning to feel detached, the medication taking effect. He opened his suddenly heavy eyelids to gaze bewilderedly at Kevin, his voice hoarse and slurred, “What happened?”

Kevin drew back, his surprised green eyes darting to Howie. Howie shook his head, not knowing what to say. Kevin blinked, how could they tell him? Looking back at Nick, Kevin realized he wouldn’t have to. The blond’s eyes were slowly sliding shut and within a short moment, Nick was asleep.

“He’ll be out for a while,” informed Dr. Foster, the two young men looking up at her words, “If we had kept him on the ventilator, it would have done more harm than good to that healing lung. He would have just continued to fight it.” Pausing, she smiled at Kevin and Howie, “He’ll be off his feet for a good while, but I’d say he’s going to be just fine.”

Kevin closed his eyes with relief, “Thank God.” He then spared a glance at Brian, then at AJ. Neither had been awoken with the commotion, “What about AJ? He’s been asleep for a long time.”

Dr. Foster frowned as she looked upon the object of discussion, “He’ll be fine, granted he gets the rest he needs to heal. That boy should have been in bed this whole time, not traipsing all over the halls of the hospital.”

Howie smirked, “Well, that wouldn’t be AJ. He lives to break the rules, and he hates hospitals.”

Dr. Foster rolled her eyes, “Wonderful. I have a maverick.” She grinned at the two confused faces that appeared at her words, elaborating, “He’s the kind of patient that will give me hell until he gets out of here.”

“Oh,” nodded Kevin, then smiled, “Well, then I guess you should know that Nick’s just as bad, if not worse.”

Dr. Foster sighed, then smiled pleasantly, “Well, I suppose they keep this job interesting. I’ll have to go now, though. I have rounds to complete. I also don’t suppose that you gentlemen will now vacate the premisses now that Nickolas is going to be well?” She shook her head at the answer she read in their eyes, “I should know better.”

“Yes, you should,” grinned Kevin. He found he couldn’t stop smiling. He just felt so good, everything was looking up. If they could only get through to Brian now. Kevin looked at Nick’s peacefully sleeping form. Maybe Nick could get through to him, maybe just the fact that Nick would be okay would be enough.

“Well,” toned Dr. Foster, “I’ll be going now. Oh, just to let you know, the police have been trying to get a hold of you. I’ve been holding them off, for your privacy. If you want, I can report that you’ll see them now.”

Howie nodded, “Thanks for the help, and yeah, I s’pose you can tell them that. We shoulda known they’d be wanting to talk to us.”

Kevin grimaced, but said nothing. Dr. Foster nodded and left the room. Howie smiled at Kevin, “It feels damn good, doesn’t it?”

“God, yes,” sighed Kevin, leaning back in his chair, “Just about everything is looking good now.” Kevin looked across at Howie, “What are we going to do about Brian?”

Howie shook his head, “I don’t know, Kev. Honestly, I think Nick’s the only one that’ll get through to him.”

Kevin tilted his head at Howie, “But Nick doesn’t remember what happened.”

Howie closed his eyes briefly, remembering, “Then I just don’t know, Kev.”

“Don’t know what?” asked a muffled, groggy voice.

Their eyes snapped to the form struggling to sit up on the cot. “AJ! You’re up!” grinned Howie.

AJ looked at Howie, wondering how the man could be smiling at a time when his friends were in the hospital, unless... AJ’s eyes widened, sleep leaving him, “Nick?”

“Woke up,” smiled Howie, watching AJ’s face light up, “Just a few minutes ago. He’s gonna be fine, AJ. Nick is going to be just fine.”

AJ fell back on the cot, eyes on the ceiling, “Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.”

“Ah, AJ?” ventured Kevin, unsure of how to tell the rebel, “We ought to tell ya that the cops are gonna be comin’ to see us pretty soon.”

AJ groaned, “Ya know, I was feelin’ pretty damn good until to said that.”

Kevin grinned, “Sorry.”

“Yeah,” scoffed AJ, “Sure you are.”

~/~/~/~/~( )~~~~~

He had never felt so much fear in his life. His best friend’s life was at risk and he couldn’t do anything about it. He stood stock still as her eyes changed, becoming totally insane. He knew what was about to happen and reacted, not really comprehending what he was doing, just knowing he had to.

First he felt himself slam into his friend, then something burned through his chest. The pain flared and then blackness closed in on his mind.

When he woke up, he found he could barely breathe and the pain in his chest was almost unbearable. Then it all came back to him. He gasped and stared up into a worried face, those green eyes turning scared as he cried out one word.

“BRIAN!”

Brian jerked awake at his name, blue eyes flitting around the room as Kevin, Howie and AJ jumped at the shout. He watched as Kevin leaned over Nick’s bed, blocking his best friend from view.

“Nick...” Kevin soothed, his soft words barely reaching Brian, “Nick, wake up. It’s okay, Nicky... Brian’s okay. Wake up!”

Brian heard a gasp and then something he could barely believe.

“Kevin?” gasped Nick, his voice unsure and shaky, “Oh, God... Bri- Brian?”

“Nick?” breathed Brian, disbelief coloring his face. The soft utterance went unheard.

“He’s okay, Nick,” assured Kevin, closing his eyes in relief that Nick remembered what happened. He didn’t think he could have told him, “Brian’s okay, he’s right over there.”

When Kevin turned around so Nick could see, he was surprised to look into his cousin’s awake visage. Lord, Brian was almost white in shock. Kevin took a step toward Brian, then looked back at Nick. He sighed. How was he supposed to handle this?

“Brian!” Nick’s face was almost split with a wide smile, blue eyes dancing despite the pain that came with every breath. Howie looked up at Kevin. It was the first time for a long while since they had seen the blond smile like that. Kevin returned the look with a smile. Nick would turn Brian around, they just had to give him the chance.

Nick looked around at his friends, elated that they were all there. That they all were alive. That could have been vastly different if Lalita had had her way. Nick’s eyes darkened at the name, his face scared as he looked to Kevin, “L-Lalita?”

“Gone, Nick,” answered Kevin, laying a hand on Nick’s leg, “She can’t hurt us anymore. It’s finally over, Nicky.”

Nick sagged in relief, feeling a burden lift from his shoulders. Finally, he could relax, they all could. He turned his blue eyes back to Brian and frowned at what he saw. He glanced at Kevin, AJ, and Howie. Something was wrong.

He was attempting to sit up, when the pain that held his chest stopped him with a gasp. He shut his eyes. God, he hoped he wouldn’t hurt like this for very long. His head pounded and his chest seemed on fire, even with the pain meds. He still didn’t know why it hurt to breathe, and it was somewhat difficult to take in a breath. Nick’s attention turned to the door as it opened, admitting Dr. Foster. She walked up to them, her smile apologetic, but also hiding something, “I’m sorry to interrupt, but Police Chief O’Rielly is waiting outside. I believe he just wants a statement.”

Kevin took this as a way to leave Brian and Nick alone, for Nick to figure out what was wrong. Kevin knew that Nick had perceived something was wrong, now he just had to figure out what. He had no doubt that Brian would confess to Nick. It was only a matter of time.

Kevin grabbed the handles of the wheel chair that AJ sat in, preparing to push him from the room as he answered the doctor, “We’ll talk to him.”

AJ protested as Howie followed them out of the room, “Kevin! I don’t want to talk to that spaz O’Rielly! Kevin! ...Hey! Are you listenin’ to me? Kevin!!”

Kevin sighed as Dr. Foster held the door open for them, a smile upon her face. AJ had stayed in bed for a total of twenty-five minutes after waking, thus the incorporation of the wheel chair was made. If Dr. Foster couldn’t keep him in bed, she would atleast keep him off his feet. And now AJ didn’t need the oxygen anymore, something Kevin was reconsidering putting back in effect. AJ was a whole lot quieter with it on.

Nick half smirked as the door closed behind AJ’s complaining form, not able to stop his amusement. He then felt the silence that descended upon the room. It felt oppressing, as it seemed to hold something behind it. He tried to take in a deep breath, but winced and ended up releasing it with a shaky whimper of pain. He didn’t understand what it was that was wrong, then he went white with a thought. Were the guys not telling him something? Was something wrong with him? Was that what had Brian all quiet?

Brian’s eyes had flicked to Nick at the whimper of pain, not able to stop his concern, “Nick? You okay?”

Nick turned his scared blue eyes on his best friend, “Brian? Wh- why does it hurt when I breathe?”

Brian looked away, biting his lip. Nick’s eyes widened, “What? What’s wrong with me?”

Brian’s eyes shot back to Nick at the fear in the shaking voice. Brian shook his head, “Nothin’s wrong with you Nick...” Brian paused, trying to find the right words, “You- um, When the... When you were,” Brian had to force the word out, “shot... the bullet knicked your lung and- and they had to sew it up. It’s still healing, that’s why it hurts.”

Nick’s mouth made an ‘o’ shape and he closed his eyes, relieved. He then pinned Brian with bright eyes, “So what’s up with you then?”

Brian studied the edge of his blanket, refusing to answer. He had to shut them away, he reminded himself. Even Nick. He didn’t want anyone else hurt because of him. He laid back and stared up at the ceiling, closing Nick’s gazing eyes off.

Nick was first stunned, then hurt at the snub. He didn’t understand, everything was supposed to be fine now. Lalita was finally gone, they could go back to their old lives without having to look over their shoulder anymore. Nick took measured breaths, finding it didn’t hurt as much when he didn’t take a full breath. He let his eyes move to Brian again, his mind just now registering the bandages and the pain that caused Brian’s eyes to crinkle at the edges. Nick almost gasped as a thought slammed into him. He hadn’t helped Brian, he was still shot... Oh, God... Did Brian blame him for getting shot? That Nick couldn’t stop it? Was that why Brian was being so cold toward him?

Nick felt tears sting his eyes, his eyelids drooping as he whispered the broken words, “I’m sorry...”

Brian blinked, not sure he heard what he thought he heard. He looked at Nick, his heart skipping at the desolate expression that he was greeted with. Sorry? What did Nick have to be sorry for? He almost died saving him and he was apologizing? The broken look in the blond’s blue eyes pushed at Brian, forcing him to reach out to the emotional youth, “Nick? What- what are you sorry for?”

Nick raised his eyes and Brian winced at the pain shining in their depths, Nick’s soft voice twisting his heart, “I’m sorry I- ...sorry I couldn’t stop you from getting hurt. I’m so sorry, Brian. I tried-”

“No!” shouted Brian, his eyes wide in shock. “No,” Brian’s voice turned tearful and strained, his eyes filling with tears, “Don’t you do that, Nick. Just don’t! This is NOT your fault. You saved my life! How can you apologize for that?” Brian took in a trembling breath, blinking as a tear fell, “You- you don’t know... You just don’t know...”

“Don’t know what?!” cried Nick, his voice hoarse as he broke down, “That I almost got you and the others killed?! She was after me, Brian. The whole time, she hurt you because of me!” Nick turned away and cried, the pain rising from his chest and pounding through his head a distant second to the pain in his soul.

“And you almost died saving me!” wailed Brian as a sob tore through him. He watched through blurred vision as Nick turned back to him, his voice shaking, “You almost died, Nick. DIED. And it’s all my fault! If I hadn’t been just standing there, you wouldn’t of had to push me out of the way! If I had just moved my own butt out of the way, you wouldn’t have been shot! It’s my fault! Everything!! All of you are hurt, and it’s my fault. You’d all be better off without me, all I do is get you all hurt...” Brian trailed off, gasping in a breath, “It’s my fault, Nick. Never you, me.”

Nick sniffed and shut his eyes, raising a shaking hand to wipe his face. He didn’t open his eyes as he spoke in a low tone, “Is it your fault that you’re my best friend? Is it your fault that some lunatic kidnapped us? Is it your fault that she then targeted us again because I killed Jake? Is it your fault that she wanted to kill you, because you are my best friend?” Nick looked at Brian, his gaze level, “If it’s not my fault you are lying in that bed, how can it be yours that I lie in mine?”

Brian opened his mouth to speak, but Nick shook his head, “You’re shutting us off, Brian. Do you have any idea what that is doin’ to me? To Kevin? Howie? AJ?”

Brian stared at Nick, the words slowly sinking in, “Brian, it’s over. Lalita’s gone. We have our lives back. Don’t do this, not when we’re finally, truly, back--back to our lives. We can live again, Brian. Please,” Nick took a small breath, “we have to put it behind us. It’s over, Brian and it’s no one’s fault.”

Nick lowered his eyes, his voice soft, “We’re a family, Brian. You can’t leave us.”

Brian stared. He tried to understand all the emotions whirling inside, tried to voice his sorrow and regret at what he had almost lost by his self hatred and guilt, for the pain he had caused his closest friends.

“I’m sorry, Nick,” whispered Brian, his eyes distant, “I’m sorry for what I almost threw away. I’m sorry for what I was doing to you and the guys.” Brian locked eyes with Nick, “Can- can you forgive me? For what I’ve done? For what I almost did?”

Nick smiled slightly, “Nothin’ to forgive, Frick. Just say you won’t leave us, not emotionally, and not physically.”

“I won’t,” vowed Brian, a once lost light sparking in his jeweled blue eyes, “I promise, Frack. I’ll never leave.”
Epilogue by Refuse
Nick grinned, his bright eyes watching as AJ threw Howie into the pool. A laugh escaped him as Howie grabbed onto AJ, taking the tattooed rebel in with him with a huge splash. Nick shook his head. AJ should have known better. He had seen when Nick had tried that same thing before and Howie had taken him into the water, too.

Nick relaxed back into the long lawn chair, feeling the numbing warmth of Florida’s bright sun upon his arms and legs. A navy tank covered his chest and worn with it were navy and white swimming trunks. Nick was reluctant to ever be without a shirt. He was afraid of how the guys would react to the red scar that marred his chest, of what that reminder would cause.

It had been just over two months since their stay at the hospital and their fight with Lalita had finally ended. Howie, AJ, and Kevin were completely healed from the ordeal. Brian was nearly one hundred percent and he, himself, felt pretty good. Nick would sometimes feel a twinge from his almost completely mended rib that had broken in two places, and he’d feel what the doctor had called a ghost pain in his chest. Meaning, he was just imagining it. Nick shook his head. How long would it be until he was able to finally leave it all in the past?

Nick glanced up as Brian sat down in the chair beside him, laughing at something Alec said. Nick smiled and nodded to the EMT, then watched as Alec dove into the pool. One plus of the whole, horrible situation was the friend they had gained in Alec. He was almost like another member of the group.

“Hey, Nick,” asked Brian, eyes shining, “Ya seen Kevin lately?”

Nick took off his silver sunglasses, sitting up and placing his feet on either side of the chair. He notice Brian always had a shirt on too, he wondered if the reason was the same as his, “He said he was coming out here. He ought to be here any time.”

Brian gave Nick a sincere smile, “It was a good idea, Nick.” Brian elaborated at Nick’s confused look, “All of us gettin’ together like this for a week atleast once a month. Just us and nothin’ else. No work. No fans. No media. Just us havin’ fun with no worries.”

“Yeah,” sighed Nick, then grinned, “I thought if it were a required thing, none of ya’s could weasel out of it. And it’s at your place next time, Frick. Then you get to clean up the mess.”

“Aw,” guffawed Brian with a smirk, “We’re not makin’ that bad a mess.” Brian looked around, a twinkle in his eye, “Course, we haven’t had lunch yet.”

“No food fights!” exclaimed Nick immediately, causing Brian to burst out laughing. Nick ducked his head, a smile turning his lips.

“Yer the one that usually starts ‘em anyways, Nicky,” laughed Brian, ruffling Nick’s spiked hair.

Nick scowled, shoving Brian’s hands away, “Don’t start with the ‘Nicky’ thing and don’t mess with the hair!”

Brian just continued to laugh, his eyes turning to the pool in time to see Alec pulling AJ under the water. Howie burst out laughing from where he sat on the edge, feet dangling in the water. Brian shook his head, “Those guys are nuts.”

Nick gave him a smirk, “Funny as all hell to watch, huh?”

“Yep!” laughed Brian. Then he furrowed his brow, watching as AJ got out of the pool and ran off. Brian looked at Nick, “What’s up with AJ?”

Nick shrugged. He hoped AJ wasn’t in another funk. AJ would go into an angry fit every so often after the deal at the hospital when something sparked his fuse. They all thought it had something to do with O’Rielly. AJ never did seem to forgive the Police Cheif. He still believed the man could have stopped Lalita. But AJ had seemed to work out of it for the past few weeks. Nick sighed, watching as Alec hoisted himself up to sit beside Howie. They talked, then stood and walked over to Nick and Brian. Nick looked up at them, raising a hand to shield the sun from his eyes, “What happened with AJ?”

“Don’t really know,” shrugged Alec, “He just said he had something to show us.”

“Hey, guys!” came AJ’s voice, running up to them with a hauntingly familiar backpack. They knew what was inside and had learned to live with the memory filled item. AJ stopped before them and unzipped the backpack, the hyper little squirrel scrambling out with a squeak to perch on AJ’s shoulder. AJ smiled and reached back into the bag, then looked to the guys, “Ya gotta check out what I taught Squeaker. It’s a riot!”

The guys shared glances, not sure if they really wanted to find out. You never knew about surprises with AJ. Brian then caught a flash of dark green in the corner of his eye and raised a hand in greeting, “Hey, Kev! ‘Bout time you showed up!”

Kevin came to a stop before them, black sunglasses shielding his eyes as he smiled, “Sorry, but I had to pick something up.”

“Well, you’re here,” nodded Nick, “That’s what matters.”

“Okay, AJ,” spoke Howie, eyeing the backpack AJ still had his hand buried in, “What’s the trick?”

“Just watch,” grinned AJ, walking to and then kneeling at the pool’s edge. Squeaker jumped to the ground and watched with anticipation, fuzzy tail flicking about. The five got comfortable and watched as AJ took something from the pack and placed it in the water, then Squeaker disappeared from view on the other side of AJ. Then, AJ stood with a black object in his hands. A buzzing suddenly filled the air and they all burst out laughing.

Squeaker zoomed about the pool, being towed behind a remote control speed boat that AJ directed. AJ smiled, “He loves this! We’d do this for hours at home. He hates getting dumped in the water though, must be a rodent thing. I got the idea from one of those funny home video shows.”

Brian shook his head, able to stop laughing long enough to speak, “That’s hilarious, ‘J. My God, you have way too much free time on yer hands!”

“Hey!” cried AJ, indignant but unable to come up with any better argument.

Kevin spoke up, “You guys, I got somethin’ I want to show ya. I ain’t real sure of it and I want your opinion. Okay?”

They saw the smile Kevin had on his face, but they also heard the serious tone. Howie nodded as AJ drove Squeaker to shore, “Sure, Kev. No problem.”

AJ scooped up Squeaker, then they all followed Kevin to the driveway of Nick’s house. Once they were within sight, they stopped dead at what they saw. Kevin chewed on his lower lip, “So, what do you guys think? I know it’s kinda odd that I do it again, but I’ve just always wanted one and-”

“Whoa,” AJ held up a hand, “Chill, Kev. It’s okay, just surprising. It’s the same make, ain’t it?”

Kevin nodded, his eyes turning to the red Ferrari Spider parked in the driveway, “Yeah, but with a few differences. Personal modifications, I guess you could say.”

“Like what?” asked Nick, intrigued despite of himself.

A nervous smile pulled at Kevin’s mouth, “Like you can be 200 feet away and turn it on.”

“Ah,” understood Nick, a laugh bursting forth, “Good idea.”

“Well,” Alec spoke up, his eyes admiring the sleek sports car. He had a thing for muscle cars, he was saving up for one of his own, “What’re we waiting for?! I got dibs on the first ride!”

Kevin’s face lit up as Alec raced to the car, followed by AJ’s protesting form, “Hey! No fair! We get to go first! After all, the first one got blown sky high before we had the chance!”

Nick had to laugh, his blue eyes glowing as he watched. Maybe, just maybe, he could really start to leave the past in the past and start to live in the present. After all, the future was scarce and he didn’t want to miss a moment of it with his family.


The End... or IS it?
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6765