Friends...And More? by tree2583
Summary:

"Life's always been filled with a lot of puzzles...Are best friends only friends? Or can they end up as lovers?"



(Revised with some assistance from Hilda Warren)Copyright 2006. All Rights Reserved.





Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Graphic Sexual Content, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 44 Completed: No Word count: 46876 Read: 67364 Published: 03/17/06 Updated: 01/14/07

1. Chapter One by tree2583

2. Chapter Two by tree2583

3. Chapter Three by tree2583

4. Chapter Four by tree2583

5. Chapter Five by tree2583

6. Chapter Six by tree2583

7. Chapter Seven by tree2583

8. Chapter Eight by tree2583

9. Chapter Nine by tree2583

10. Chapter Ten by tree2583

11. Chapter Eleven by tree2583

12. Chapter Twelve by tree2583

13. Chapter Thirteen by tree2583

14. Chapter Fourteen by tree2583

15. Chapter Fifteen by tree2583

16. Chapter Sixteen by tree2583

17. Chapter Seventeen by tree2583

18. Chapter Eighteen by tree2583

19. Chapter Nineteen by tree2583

20. Chapter Twenty by tree2583

21. Chapter Twenty-One by tree2583

22. Chapter Twenty-Two by tree2583

23. Chapter Twenty-Three by tree2583

24. Chapter Twenty-Four by tree2583

25. Chapter Twenty-Five by tree2583

26. Chapter Twenty-Six by tree2583

27. Chapter Twenty-Seven by tree2583

28. Chapter Twenty-Eight by tree2583

29. Chapter Twenty-Nine by tree2583

30. Chapter Thirty by tree2583

31. Chapter Thirty-One by tree2583

32. Chapter Thirty-Two by tree2583

33. Chapter Thirty-Three by tree2583

34. Chapter Thirty-Four by tree2583

35. Chapter Thirty-Five by tree2583

36. Chapter Thirty-Six by tree2583

37. Chapter Thirty-Seven by tree2583

38. Chapter Thirty-Eight by tree2583

39. Chapter Thirty-Nine by tree2583

40. Chapter Forty by tree2583

41. Chapter Forty-One by tree2583

42. Chapter Forty-Two by tree2583

43. Chapter Forty-Three by tree2583

44. Chapter Forty-Four by tree2583

Chapter One by tree2583
“Attention Wal-Mart shoppers. We are now giving away a free Wal-Mart umbrella if you apply for our Wal-Mart credit card until 9:00p.m. this evening. If you apply tonight, you will get 3 months of no interest for purchases of $250.00 now until January 31st! So come over to the service desk and get yours today and as always thank you for shopping your Tampa Wal-Mart Supercenter.”

Alana Patterson hung up the phone after paging the extremely long message for the store manager, Linda Stevens, every hour. She was the head customer service manager (CSM) of the Tampa Wal-Mart Supercenter. The store was opened 24 hours, so Alana worked as many hours as she could without exceeding the 80 hours maximum in a two-week pay period.

It was Friday, October 3rd. Alana had gotten to work at 6:00a.m that morning and it was just about 6:30 p.m. that evening. Another CSM, Bonnie, came up to the grocery podium to get some change for the cashier on register 11.

“Alana, it’s 6:30p.m. Why don’t you call it a night?” Bonnie asked opening the change bag and retrieving $40 in five dollar bills and putting them into the blue cashier bag. “You have been here for way too long.”

Alana gave her a weak smile. “It shows, doesn’t it?” She asked.

Bonnie was an honest woman. Alana admired her for that. Bonnie worked the 2-11, 3-12 closing shifts. She was a small woman, about in her middle 40’s and had dark hair, with gray pieces starting to show.

“Honey, you have been here for 13 and a half hours. You have been working 12 hour days for the last two weeks. You are going to wear yourself out,” Bonnie answered. “You have circles under your eyes.”

Alana looked at her watch. It was a little after 6:30p.m. Her stomach growled. Her last break she had taken was lunch at 12:30 that afternoon. She looked at Bonnie.

“I’m going home,” she finally said. “But after I do some grocery shopping.”

Bonnie smiled. “Now don’t forget about your weekend.”

Forty-five minutes later, Alana was putting groceries into the trunk of her 99’ green Pontiac Grand Am She spent over $100 in groceries, considering the last time she had gotten any was three weeks ago. She finally got into her car after a long day at work and headed for home.
~**********~
Chapter Two by tree2583
Chapter Two

Alana pulled into the driveway of her ranch style house around 8:00 that evening. She had owned this ranch style house for almost a year. She was 23, freshly out of college, had a good steady job and finally owned her own house. She had gone to college at the University of Tampa and majored in business management and marketing. She received her associates degree in business management and was going to go and get her bachelor’s degree in marketing in the near future. She had decided to work at Wal-Mart for a while to help pay off her college loan, car loan, and mortgage payment.

She parked her car in front of the two car garage and went to unloading her groceries. As she entered the garage, she noticed a familiar vehicle. She smiled at the sight of the 2003 green Dodge Durgano. She hadn’t seen that truck in almost 6 months.

Ohmigod, is he finally home?

Alana dropped her groceries at the door, unlocked it and ran inside. She closed the door quietly, not knowing where her best friend might be. She searched the kitchen, living room, dining room, bathroom, computer room, and the extra room. She even checked outside. The one room that she didn’t check was her bedroom. Alana quietly peered into her bedroom. She saw her best friend sleeping under her blue satin sheets and comforter. She smiled, deciding to let him sleep; she went to unload the rest of her groceries.

About an hour later, Alana had put away her groceries, ate some dinner, did the dishes and now was seated on her beige sofa watching television. On the coffee table she noticed a DVD case labeled “For Lana” written in familiar handwriting. Alana picked it up and put it in the DVD player. She watched the DVD. Her best friend had made a DVD for her with clips of the two of them playing and him performing three songs, “Heaven,” “I Got You,” and “I Need You Tonight.” Tears streamed down her cheeks. The last portion of the DVD was of Nick sitting by the Florida coast.

“Lana, I made this video for you to let you know how important you are in my life.” The camera caught the ocean. “Every time that I’m away, I come to the ocean. This is the only other place that I feel like I can be myself, other than with you.” The camera faced him and then the ocean once more before turning off. Alana curled up on the couch and paused the clip of her and Nick sitting in the water. She couldn’t help the tears from falling.

Nick had woken up and quietly walked into the living room. He watched Alana sitting on the couch looking at the miscellaneous clips of the two of them together. He watched the tears fall onto her tan, soft cheeks.

I wish I could stay with her.

Her long light brown hair flowed around her shoulders. He just wanted to hug her and tell her that he wasn’t going anywhere ever again, but that wasn’t the case.

Nick had just returned from a six month tour with his new CD Nick Carter, Now or Never. He finally had a break for about two weeks before he had to go back on the road again, but he didn’t want to break the news to his best friend. Alana’s house was the one place that he could come where no one would bother him.

He quietly crept behind the couch and stood behind where she was sitting. Alana ran her fingers through her hair, getting it out of her eyes. As she did, Nick caught her hand. She turned around and saw him. Her eyes were all red and tear-stained. She looked at him and he gave her one of his famous smiles. The smile that always made her melt. She sank into the couch even further.

“Well hello to you too,” he said sitting next to her. His blond hair was all messy from waking up. His T-shirt and tan pants were wrinkled as well.

“Was my bed comfortable?” She asked.

He laughed. “Yah, actually it was. I see you got new sheets.” He answered.

"I thought you might like them. Considering you don’t even sleep in the other room,” she said.

Nick made himself comfortable on the inside of the sofa. Alana climbed on top of him and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. He inhaled the scent of her familiar perfume and hugged her back.

“How long are you back?” She asked pulling away from him so that she could look at his eyes. He looked into her green eyes. He didn’t want to tell her. He didn’t want to leave her again. He felt guilty every time he left her, but she knew he would always be back.

“Just tell me Nick,” she said. “I know you don’t like telling me. Do you leave tomorrow?”

He shook his head. “I’m here until the 17th,” he answered. “Then I leave again and don’t come back until November 25th.”

Her eyes lit up. “You’re here for two weeks?” She asked excitedly, but then her expression went into a frown. “I have to go back to work on Monday.”

Nick gave her a disappointed look. “Take two weeks off. Spend them with me,” he said softly.

She looked at him. “I don’t know Nick, I have bills to pay. Not working for two weeks would really hurt me,” she said.

“Don’t you have any vacation time that you could use?” He asked.

Alana sighed. She knew she had twelve weeks of vacation that she had built up since she started two years ago, she just never used them.

“Yes I do,” she answered. “Can’t you use some of that time to spend with me?” He asked smoothing the hair from her face.

She looked at the television screen still with the clip of them together in the water, and then she looked at him. Why does it have to to so hard?

“Lana, Please?” Nick asked stroking her cheek gently.

She sighed heavily. “Fine, you win. You’re lucky that I get paid for my vacation,” she answered.

He grinned and hugged her. “Remember two weeks, just you and me.”
~**********~
Chapter Three by tree2583
Chapter Three

Alana went to bed at 11:30 that night. She was so exhausted, that she had fallen asleep when her head hit the pillow. She had just enough energy to pull of her clothes and put on a white camisole, while leaving on her blue lace thong.

Nick stayed up and was staring at the television screen with the news on. He wanted to hold Alana all night. After turning off the television, he made sure that all the doors and windows were locked, set the security system, and turned the central air on to 65 degrees. He turned off the lights as he walked toward Alana’s bedroom.

He closed the door behind him and saw her sleeping on her side, her hands tucked under her satin pillow. He took off his shirt, exposing his broad chest and somewhat toned abs. His pants came off after, leaving on his black boxers.

He slid under the satin covers, moving close to Alana. Nick moved his body so that it fit into hers.

He wrapped his arm around her waist and rested his hand flat on the white camisole that covered her stomach, her whole body tensed up quickly.

“Relax Lana,” he whispered in her ear.

He moved his hand up and down over the camisole that covered her. It was a soft material that he decided that he liked the feel of. Her body tensed up again, he could feel the muscles in her back tensed up even more. What am I doing? Nick moved away and sat up.

He shook her a little. “Lana,” he said “Turn on your stomach.”

She heard him and turned on her stomach slowly. He got off the bed and retrieved some body lotion from her bathroom.

“Lana.” He whispered in her ear. “Take off your shirt.”

She shook her head. “I’m too tired,” she moaned.

Nick put some lotion on his hand and then started to massage her shoulders. His hands worked into the tensed up muscles. Alana tensed up more, so he stopped.

“Alana, I’m trying to relax your muscles,” he said. “Take a deep breath and exhale.”

She took and deep breath and exhaled, making her feel more relaxed. His hands feel so good,

“Why am I tensing up?” She asked him in a sleepy voice.

“I don’t know,” Nick answered “Do you not want me to touch you or something?”

“No, no, no, it’s not that Nick,” She said turning around to sit up and face him. “I’m just not used being pampered."

He chuckled. “Well get used to it for a while. You have been overworking yourself too long. Let someone else pamper you for once,” he contested. “So take off your shirt.”

She looked at him with widened eyes. “No.” she said firmly. “I don’t want you looking at me.”

Why doesn't she want me to look at her? She doesn't know how beautiful she is.

He laughed again. “Just pull it up so that I can rub your back,” he said.

Before she could say or do anything again, he quickly snatched it and pulled it over her head, then tossing it on the floor. She yelped and pulled the covers up over her chest.

“Why did you do that?!?” she asked. “Are you crazy?”

Does he really want to touch me?

Nick laughed at her comment. “Yes, now lay on your stomach, so I can rub your back.”

She hesitated for a minute and then gave in. She laid on her stomach as she heard the click of the lamp next to her turn on.

“What are you doing?” she demanded.

Nick straddled her back and put lotion on his hands. Before she could say anything else, her tense body gave into the feeling of his strong hands on her shoulders and back. He worked his hands over the back of her neck, upper shoulders, and lower back over and over again. Alana let out a pleasurable sigh making Nick smile.

Her skin feels so soft, I don't want to stop...This isn't right, or is it?

“Do you feel better?” he asked laying next to her.

She nodded and curled up next to him and fell asleep still wanting the feel of his hands on her skin.
~**********~
Chapter Four by tree2583



Nick woke up the next morning to his cell phone ringing. He glanced at the clock that was on Alana’s dresser. 8:30a.m. Who had the nerve to call him at this hour?

He decided to answer it so that it didn’t wake up her up.

“Hello?” He answered groggily as he got up and went into the kitchen.

“Good Morning Sweetie!” said a familiar voice.

“Hi mom,” he said as he started to make some coffee. I really don't want to talk to her right now, not with all the shit I have been putting up from her lately.

“How was your tour?” Jane asked.

Nick enlightened his mother with all the details about his six-month tour.

“Are you in Florida Mom?” He asked. “Because I know you don’t call me in the morning unless you are in Florida.”

“Okay, you caught me,” Jane answered. “I’m in Orlando with Aaron and Angel. Aaron has a taping for the Nickelodeon show All That today. So I wanted to know if you wanted to come and eat some lunch with us today.”

Nick sighed. He wanted to spend time with Alana, let alone his family too.

“Mom I just got back from tour last night. I woke up to a cell phone ringing in my ear. I’m tired and really don’t feel like doing anything,” he said honestly.

“Nickolas, I know you just got back. But Angel, Aaron, and I would like to see you.” his mother said bluntly.

He thought of Alana. “Do you mind if I bring along a friend?” he asked.

After turning his cell phone off completely, he went to wake Alana up. He found her sleeping on her stomach with her hair flowing around her. He didn’t want to wake her up because he knew that she needed to sleep. He sat on the edge of her queen size mattress on top of the blue satin comforter and ran his hand through her silky light brown hair. She stirred a little, but didn’t wake up.

“Lana,” Nick said shaking her a little.

“Hmmmmmm…?” She asked sleepily, opening her eyes, squinting just enough to see him.

“My mom called,” He answered. “She’s in Orlando and wants me to meet her for lunch at 1 this afternoon. I want you to come with me.”

She rubbed her eyes. “Okay,” She said. “I’m gonna go back to sleep.”

Alana had finally gotten out of bed at 10:30 a.m. Nick had decided to let her sleep for a while longer than he intended. She got out of the shower and wrapped herself in a big fluffy yellow towel. She went back into her bedroom (the bathroom connected to her bedroom). Nick had gone into the other bathroom to shower and to get changed.

She hadn’t seen Nick’s mom, Jane, in almost over a year, let alone his other two younger siblings as well. She decided on wearing white Capri pants, a pink lace trim camisole, and basic neutral slip on sandals with a slight heel. She brushed her hair, blew dry it, then pulled it back into a low ponytail. She quickly put on some foundation, mascara and a pink lip gloss. Spraying herself with her normal perfume, Vanilla Fields, she went out to the kitchen to wait for Nick.

Nick took a quick shower and wrapped a towel around his waist so that he could brush his teeth. He finished drying off and got dressed. He dressed in tan khaki pants that were a light material, a light blue short-sleeved button-up shirt, with a white tank top underneath, and brown sandals. He looked in the mirror and ran his fingers over his chin, rubbing his rough goatee. Even though it was blonde, he gave him a more masculine appearance, he thought so anyway.
He wasn’t sure if Alana saw it or not or what she thought of it. He quickly threw some mouse and gel in his hair, styled it messy, then went to meet Alana in the kitchen.

Nick saw her sitting at the table reading a newspaper, he liked what he saw.

“Ready?” He asked, startling her.

Alana let Nick drive her car, so that his truck wouldn’t be recognized by any of the media. Her windows in her grand am were tinted just enough so that they were legal, but so no one could see through the windows. The ride to Orlando was about an hour and a half. They were meeting Jane, Angel, and Aaron at The Hard Rock Café in downtown Orlando. Nick parked Alana’s Pontiac into the parking lot of the restaurant.

Nick’s bodyguard, Frank had parked next to them in a black Jeep Cherokee. He was there for protection from the media and to prevent a mob of fans. Nick waited for Alana to get out of the car so that they could go into the side entrance of the restaurant to meet his mother and siblings. They hurried inside and found their table.

During lunch, Nick noticed that Alana was drinking an unusual amount of water. She was on her third glass.

“Are you okay?” He asked leaning toward her.

She finished her third glass of water and set it down on the table.

“Yah, I’m just really thirsty,” she answered.

Their dinner arrived about 20 minutes after they ordered. Jane ordered the Hard Rock Caesar Salad with decaffeinated coffee. Angel ordered the HRC’s Famous Grilled Fajitas with a diet Pepsi. Aaron ordered the HRC Burger with a regular Pepsi. Nick ordered the HRC Classic Bacon Cheeseburger with a Mountain Dew. Alana ordered the Herb Grilled Marinated Chicken Breast with yet another glass of water. She ate a few bites and then took a long slip of water. Nick looked over at his best friend. Her face was all flushed and she looked really sweaty with dark circles under her eyes.

“Lana, are you alright?” he asked looking really concerned.

She looked at Nick as she set down her glass of water on the table in front of her. He read her eyes like a book. She needed to get to the doctor or the hospital.

“Come on Lana, let’s get you to a doctor,” he said.

After he said that, she passed out in his arms.
~**********~
Chapter Five by tree2583




Nick parked Alana’s car into the parking lot of Orlando University Hospital. He looked at his best friend. Her head laid against the window with her eyes closed. He helped her walk into the emergency room so that she could see a doctor. A nurse took Alana in a wheelchair into an examination room, while Nick was at the reception desk filling out paperwork.

He sat in the waiting room and filled out Alana’s information. He filled in her full name (Alana Grace Patterson), address (4697 Flamingo Lane, Tampa, Florida 33613), date of birth (April 24, 1980), social security number (069-85-4798-not real ss #), emergency contact (as himself), her parent’s information (Henry and Julie Patterson, 5513 Commerce Street, Jacksonville, Florida 3221) and her allergies (cats, dust, and mold).

He filled out all of her information except her insurance. He didn’t know if she had insurance or not. He knew whatever the doctors had to do to help her get better was going to be costly. Nick knew Alana wouldn’t be able to afford it. Knowing what he had to do, he pulled out his insurance card out of his wallet and copied down the information.

A nurse walked into the waiting room with a clipboard.

“Mr. Carter?” she asked.

Nick looked up at the nurse.

“Please come with me.” She said.

He got up from the chair and followed her down the hall. She led him outside of a hospital room where a doctor was waiting.

“Mr. Carter, I’m Dr. Stephen Elision,” he introduced himself, extending his hand.

“Nick,” Nick said accepting the handshake.

“I’m sorry for the long wait, but we had to take perform emergency appendix surgery,” Dr. Elision explained. “She had an enlarged appendix that was swollen, which explained the sweatiness and flushed face coloration. She was also somewhat dehydrated, which explained why she kept drinking a large amount of water. I took some blood samples right after surgery and just got back the results. I would like to discuss them with you."

Nick looked at Dr. Elision. He didn’t like what he was going to hear, he just knew it.

“What else did you find out?” he asked.

Dr. Elision looked at his clipboard and then at Nick.

“Alana is suffering from extreme physical exhaustion,” the doctor said.

He just looked at him. What has she done to herself?

“And what does that mean exactly?” Nick asked.

“In a nutshell, she works too much and too hard, which caught up to her,” Dr. Elision said. “But now she is resting comfortably and you can go see her.”

I told her to stop working herself too hard, why doesn't she listen?

Nick watched the doctor walk down the hall to the waiting room. He walked into the room and saw Alana resting comfortably on the bed with an IV in her hand. She was in a private room so there were no other patients in the room with her. Her bed was tilted up slightly. He pulled a chair close to her bed, sat down and looked at her. She had color back in her face. Nick gently brushed back a few strands of her hair out of her face and started to sing softy to her.

Yeah, Oh I stare at your face Into your eyes
Outside there's so much passing us by
All of the sounds
All of the sights
Over the earth and under the sky
Too much cold and too much rain
Too much heartache to explain

Who needs the world when I got you
Switch off the sun the stars and the moon
I have all I need inside of this room
Who needs the world when I got you
Oh no no

I walk on the street
Talk in the dark I see peoples dreams just falling apart
I open my arms
Tried to be true
Seems like my only truth is you
Am I wrong Or am I right
All I want is you tonight

Who needs the world when I got you
Switch off the sun the stars and the moon
I have all I need inside of this room
Who needs the world when I got you
Who needs the stars so bright and the grass so green and the morning light
Who needs the wind to blow and the tide to rise
Who needs it...I don't know
I don't know Yeah

Who needs the world when I got you
Switch off the sun the stars and the moon
I have all I need inside of this room
Who needs the world when I got you
Who needs the world when I got you
Switch off the sun the stars and the moon
I have all I need inside of this room
Who needs the world when I got you
Who needs the world when I got you

Why can't I just tell you how I feel? Why is it so hard for me?

Alana moved her head and opened her eyes. She saw Nick sitting right next to her.

He gave her a big smile. “Hi sleepyhead. How are ya feeling?”

She smiled weakly at him “Sore and tired.”

He stayed, she thought to herself, he actually stayed.

He leaned over and brushed his lips against her temple. “Go back to sleep Lana, get some rest,” he said gently

“What about you?” she asked closing her eyes.

“I’m not going anywhere,” he replied.
~**********~
Chapter Six by tree2583



Three days later, Alana was released from the hospital. She was still really tired and hurt from surgery. Nick helped her walk to her bedroom and get into her queen size bed.

“Nick, I need to call work,” she said.

“I’ll take care of it. I have to give them a copy of the medical papers anyway,” he answered.

She looked at the papers in his hand. “Can I see them?”

He hesitated for a minute, but then agreed, considering they were hers.

She looked at the papers. “Who’s insurance is this?” she asked looking up at Nick. “Why did you put yours on this without asking me?”

She didn’t give him a chance to answer. She was mad. She didn’t like it when Nick did things for her that she could take care of herself.

“I told you that I don’t like it when you do things like this for me,” she said angrily. “Why did you put your stuff on here without asking me?”

Because you mean the world to me.

Nick gave her a serious look. “Look at the cost of your visit, and then tell me if you want me to take off my information.”

After he said that he slammed her door and left. Alana looked at the bill. She gulped at the balance that was owed to the hospital, $ 8,468.45.

A couple of hours later, Nick went to check on Alana. He opened the door to find her sleeping peacefully. She left the papers on the night stand in a neat stack. She yawned and opened her eyes.

“Nick?” She said sleepily.

“Yah?” he asked, just as he was about to leave her room.

“I’m sorry I yelled at you,” she said softy.

“It’s okay,” he answered. “How are you feeling?”

“Better, my side hurts a little though,” she said.

Nick set the papers down on her dresser and climbed on the bed, sitting next to her.

“You scared the hell outta me and my mom, ya know that, don’tcha?” he asked.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered as he pulled the covers up over her shoulders.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Nick ran his fingers through his hair and he closed his eyes. Alana looked up at him. He was sitting against the headboard of her bed. He looked so relaxed. She closed her eyes again and fell fast asleep.
~*********~
Chapter Seven by tree2583


Chapter Seven

Alana woke up the next morning to a very familiar sound. It was singing. She not only heard Nick’s voice, but she also heard each of the four Backstreet Boys’ voices. She hadn’t seen all five of them together since their last tour. She knew about Kevin performing on the Broadway show "Chicago." She knew that Brian and Leighann had a son, Baylee Thomas. She also knew that A.J. (Alex as he liked more now) had gone into rehabilitation for alcohol treatment and drug abuse. Nick had told her personally about his solo album. Alana had seen each of the guys separately, when they came over to visit. Leighann would always bring Baylee with her when she and Brian were in Florida visiting friends. She was so excited to finally see them together again.

Carefully, not wanting to hurt herself, she made her way to the bathroom and took a shower. She looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was wet from her shower. She finally saw the stitches from her operation. It was about two inches long on lower right side of her abdomen. It was still red and puffy.

She got dressed slowly. She dressed in soft cotton gray shorts and a dark blue Nike shirt that she stole from Nick’s collection of clothes that were stashed in the bottom of her closet. Alana ran a brush threw her tangled wet hair and made her way out to the living room where the sounds of singing were coming from. She stopped at the end of the hallway, with the support of the wall, and just listened.

She loved hearing the five of them together singing their old collection of songs. They finished singing “It’s True” from their album Black and Blue (released in November of 2000). Nick heard scraping coming from the direction of the hallway. He looked over and saw Alana standing there.

“Hey Lana,” he greeted her.

The rest of the guys were happy to see her. AJ helped her settle on the living room couch. AJ sat on one side of her and Howie on the other side. Kevin and Brian settled themselves onto the sofa that was adjacent from the couch. Nick sat in the chair on the opposite side of the living room. He just sat back and listened to them talk with Alana. They talked about how their lives were going.

Nick looked at the clock. It was almost 6:00 p.m. He then looked at Alana. Her head was resting on AJ’s shoulder.

Brian looked at Nick. “She’s passed out, man,” he said.

Nick got up and stretched.

“Do you need help getting her to bed?” AJ asked.

“Nah just let her sleep on the couch. If she moves too much, it might tear the stitches,” he answered.

AJ and Howie carefully helped lay Alana out on the beige sofa.

“Ok, Nick, we’ll talk to you soon,” Kevin said as they all said their good byes.

He watched his brothers as they left her house. She lay out stretched on the sofa. He didn't want to leave her again, but this was his life....wasn't it?
~*********~
Chapter Eight by tree2583
Nick sighed after everyone left. He looked at his best friend. He only had ten more days with her. Every day that came closer to him leaving, he only dreaded it even more. He put a blanket over Alana and kissed her softly on the top of her head.

Heading to the kitchen, he decided to make something good for dinner. He searched her entire kitchen until he found something to make. Nick spent the next hour making dinner. At last, it was ready to put in the oven. After twenty minutes, it would be done, just enough time to wake up Alana. He walked into the living room to find her still sleeping on the couch. He crouched down in front of the couch.

“Hey,” he said softy, brushing her hair away from her face.

She slowly opened her eyes and saw Nick and smiled sleepily.

“Hi,” she responded. “I fell asleep.”

He chuckled. “Yes I know."

“What’s cooking?” she asked.

He pulled out the glass dish out of the oven. Alana was amazed what she saw. He somehow through together a box of rice with grilled chicken breasts on top. It looked so good.

"How did you manage to put that together?" she asked. "You can't cook worth shit."

Nick laughed as he set the dish on the stove.

"I didn't say I can't cook. I just don't like too," he said, handing her a plate.

They sat down at the kitchen table and ate, tossing around the occasional conversation. She really didn't feel like talking because she was in a lot of pain. He picked up her plate and put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. She cocked her eyebrow at him as she watched him clean up the kitchen.

"For someone who's always making messes, you sure do know how to clean up," she teased.

Nick turned around and gave her the finger, causing her to laugh as she clutched her side.
~**********~

Alana sat on the porch looking at the sky and horizon. Nick watched her from the sliding glass door. He sat in a nearby chair and put his head against the wall, sighing.

How the hell can I just up and leave her? He thought. She means too much to me. Do I want to risk our friendship for more? Why can’t I just tell her how much she means to me?

Alana slowly got up and walked back into her house through the sliding glass door. She saw Nick sitting in the chair with his head against the wall and his eyes closed.

“Whatcha thinking about Nick?” She asked.

Startled, he opened his eyes quickly. He got up and stood in front of her. He caressed her cheek softly with the palm of his hand. She closed her eyes and rested her cheek against his hand. He pulled her into a hug. Their bodies molded together in a perfect fit. Alana buried her head into his chest and felt tears well up into her eyes. She could felt herself feeling something more and stronger for Nick. But could she tell him? Did she have the courage to tell him before he left her again?
~**********~
Chapter Nine by tree2583
By Monday the next week, Nick took Alana to last doctor’s appointment. Dr. Elision checked out her recent blood work that the nurse took a half an hour before.

“Well, your stitches healed nicely. You won’t really have a scar at all,” he said “but I really need to discuss this blood work.”

Alana was sitting on the examination table and Nick was sitting in a chair close by.

“I compared your blood work to now and when you were in the hospital,” he continued. “There isn’t much of a change.”

Alana looked at Nick with a worried look.

“What does that mean?” Nick asked.

The doctor looked at both of them. “I want to put Alana out of work for 6 months.” He said bluntly.

“What?!?” she cried. “I can’t be out of work for that long. I have bills to pay!”

“Alana,” Nick said “Just listen, I’m sure he has a good reason why.”

Dr. Elision pulled up his stool to show both Alana and Nick the comparison of blood work.

“See, nothing has changed. All of these,” he said circling on the chart “need be raised up 35 to 40 percent. And to do that, I have to pull you out of work so that you can build up your strength so that you are back to yourself 100 percent,” he explained. “This note will excuse you from work for six months as a medical leave, and then we will go from there.”

Alana walked out of the exam room without Nick. He took the note from the doctor.

“Mr. Carter,” Dr. Elision said. “I am worried about her. She works herself too hard. Please look after her.”

Nick nodded and followed her out of the doctor’s office. He found Alana sitting in her car. He drove back to her house and pulled her car into the garage. She got out, unlocked the door and ran inside. He closed the door behind him and followed her into the house. He found her curled up on her bed crying.

“Lana,” he said. “Come here.”

Nick sat on her bed after tossing off his shoes. He pulled her into his arms and let her cry. She buried her face into his shoulder and cried. He rubbed her back. (She was wearing a basic green tank top and jean shorts. He was wearing a white Nike t-shirt and tan khaki shorts).

“It’s not fair,” she sobbed. “I can’t support myself without working for six months. I have bills to pay.”

Nick lifted her head so that she was looking at him. He wiped her tears with his fingertips.

“Lana,” he said softly. “I’m not going let anything happen to you. Don’t worry about your bills; they will get taken care of. “

“I don’t want you to pay for my bills,” she whispered. “They are my responsibility, not yours.”

“Listen to me babe; you have to understand that you can’t do everything in the world. You have to let other people help you. I am offering my help to you so that you can relax and get back on your feet. You have to get back to yourself. And that is going to take 6 months or more the doctor said,“ Nick said.

She sniffed. “Are you still leaving on Friday?”

“Lana, I have to leave. As much as I don’t want to leave you, I still have to go. You know I hate leaving you, but I always come back here, to be with you no matter where I am,” he replied. “It’s only three and a half weeks. I’ll be back before Thanksgiving.”

Nick did come back for Thanksgiving. He was then gone again three days after, leaving Alana once again, alone. A few days into December, news flooded the entertainment field that Nick was dating Pairs Hilton. Alana definitely knew that she wasn’t going to see her best friend for a long time.
~**********~
Chapter Ten by tree2583
The months seemed to fly by. Alana occasionally got a phone call from Nick, usually on the holidays. She had called him on his 24th birthday. She had caught him while he was in the middle of getting ready to leave for his birthday party that Paris was throwing him. So she only got to talk to him for a few minutes.

The next call she received from Nick was on her 24th birthday, on April 24rd. This time, he actually talked to her for about two hours, mostly how much he and Paris were having fun and yada yada, yada on more Paris.

Then the phone calls suddenly went to email. She was lucky if she got an email one every two weeks. She finally gave up and figured he was too busy to give her the time of day.

It was a hot and humid evening in the beginning of August as the sun went down. Alana was sitting on her back porch overlooking her yard. She had a doctor’s appointment again in three days. She had had one in June, but her doctor, Dr. Elision, had said that she has made a remarkable improvement and that he had do tests again so ensure that her body was healthy again.

She had heard read about and watched on television about Nick and Pairs’ breakup and the rumors that were flying around that he physically abused her. He would never do that, would he? She thought.

As Alana collected her empty glass, she heard the phone ring. Going inside, she set her glass on the counter near the sink and answered the phone.

“Hello?” She asked.

“Lana?” The voice on the other end asked.

She almost dropped the phone.

“Nick?” She choked. She hadn't heard his voice in months.

“Yah, it’s me,” he answered.

There was silence for a few moments.

“I didn’t hurt her Lana,” he said, his voice quivering.

Alana couldn’t say anything. She was still in shock that he called her.

“I want to come home Lana,” he said, still a quiver in his voice.

“W-w-here are you?” She finally asked.

“TPA,” He answered “The conference room near gate 365.”

She sighed. “Okay.”

“Thanks,” he said in a small voice.

It took about a half hour to get through the traffic to Tampa International Airport. She was stopped at the parking gate. She showed them her special pass to park right near the fire exit doors; the doors that they always went out.

Alana had thrown on a black short beach skirt, a white tank top and black adidas sport sandals. Her light brown hair was thrown into a ponytail.

She made her way up to the conference room near gate 365. Two men in suits and sunglasses were standing outside the door. She showed them her pass once again, so that she could gain access to the room.

“Nice to see you again Ms. Patterson,” One of the big men said.

She smiled politely and they closed the door behind her quickly. Nick was sitting slumped in an armchair with head buried in his coat. Alana cautiously moved toward the chair and stood a few feet in front of it.

“Nick?” She whispered.

He slid the coat down and looked up. His blue eyes were a dull gray color and Alana could see the bags under his eyes. His face was all scruffy, like he hadn’t shaved in a week or two. He had no color to his face, at all. She slipped her hand over her face.

“You look awful,” She said quietly.

He nodded.

Nick was wearing a pair of blue faded jeans, a white plain shirt, black dress boots and his black coat in his hands. His hair was all messed up like he hadn’t done a thing to it in a couple of days. He looked up at her as if he was searching for comfort. Alana didn’t know what to do. She was angry at him for not calling her. She was angry at him for not coming to visit. She was just angry at him.

She reached out and took his hand. He followed her to the door. He felt some type of security as he held her hand tighter. He didn’t want to let go. The two big men in suits followed them down the fire exit doors and to her car. Nick got in the passenger side without saying a word. He just wanted to get away; away from everything and everyone. The ride home was quiet and what seemed long. She pulled into her garage and turned off the car. He got out and followed her to the door as she unlocked it.

“Where’s your stuff?” She asked as she set her purse and keys on the kitchen counter.

“It’ll be here in a couple of days,” He answered quietly.

“How much stuff are you talking?” Alana asked.

He looked at her with his grey blue eyes that were lifeless.

“Everything,” He answered.
~**********~
Chapter Eleven by tree2583
It was about 8:30 that evening. Alana didn’t know whether or not Nick was hungry, so she threw in a frozen pizza in the oven. He was sitting in the living room on the couch just staring at the television. He looked as if he was in a distant land, than at home.

She grabbed two Pepsis out of the refrigerator and sat down next to him, handing him one. He opened it and drank what looked like half of it down. Alana grabbed the remote and turned on the television to cartoons trying to break up the silence.

She looked at his face. He was so pale from what looked like lack of sleep. She just wanted to hold him and tell him that everything was going to be alright, but she couldn’t. She didn't have the heart to tell him how she felt about him because she didn't know if he felt the same way.

A little while later, Alana brought out the pizza with a couple of plates and set it on a hot mat in the middle of the coffee table. Nick looked up at her and gave her a weak half smile. Pizza was his favorite. It had pepperoni, mushroom and cheese. They both ate in silence. She had two pieces while he ate about five pieces, leaving just enough for a snack later. Alana got up and started cleaning up the mess. Nick grabbed the two empty soda cans and plates and followed her into the kitchen.

“Why don’t you take a shower Nick,” She suggested. “It might make you feel a little better."

While he took a shower, she changed into a tank top and pajama bottoms. Nick came out with a towel wrapped around his waist. His face was freshly shaven and his hair actually combed. He looked a little better than what he did when she picked him up at the airport. Alana’s eyes darted right for his chest. He wasn’t exactly muscular, but he wasn’t certainly fat either. Wow, he's looking so good. I wish I could touch him... She watched him walked into the extra bedroom where there were always extra clothes for him. Nick threw on a pair of boxers and white Nike shorts. When he came out he saw Alana wiping down the kitchen table.

“You haven’t said hardly anything to me Nick,” She pointed out.

He shrugged his shoulders.

“Well you know, some people like to talk,” She said as she walked down the hall to her bedroom as he followed her. “Some people actually like to have a conversation when they have company.”

She turned around and looked at him. “Talk to me,” she said.

He just looked at her, and then looked away.

“Nick, talk to me,” she demanded again.

He looked at her again and sighed.

“Everyone’s out for me,” he said quietly “and you’re mad at me.”

Alana picked up her brush and started brushing her hair.

“I have every right to be annoyed with you, I’m not mad at you.” She explained. “I haven’t seen or hardly spoke to you in almost a year Nick.”

He sighed again. “I know. And I have no excuse for it.”

She put her brush down and continued to listen.

“I got into a relationship in which I thought would actually last more than 6 months. I thought her and I had something. But I guess it was all a game,” He said quietly. “I didn’t hurt her.”

“I know you didn’t,” Alana said.

“I’m sorry Lana,” Nick whispered, his eyes watering up. “I’m sorry for not calling you. I’m sorry for not coming out to see you. I’m sorry about everything.”

She saw tears run down his cheeks. She had hardly ever seen her best friend cry. She tried so hard not to cry too.

“Oh Nicky,” she whispered as she pulled him into a hug. Nicky, you know that I always will be there for you..no matter what..

He wrapped his arms around her neck and pulled her close. He buried his face into her hair. Alana wrapped her arms around his back and let him cry quietly in her arms. She rubbed his bare back and then looked up at him. His eyes were all red and tear stained. She wiped his tears with her fingers and kissed the tip of his nose.

“Lay down and get some sleep,” she said leading him to her bed. “You have bags under your eyes like you haven’t slept in days.”

“I haven’t in three days,” he answered as he took of his shorts.

She covered him up and he closed his eyes. She climbed in on the other side. She cuddled right up to his back and wrapped her arm around him. He put his hand in hers. She kissed his musical note tattoo.

“Good night Lana,” he said. I feel home again. Why was I so stupid and didn't know what's good for me? She's the one I need and want...but how could I only show her that..what if she doesn't feel the same way for me?

“Good night Nick,” Alana replied.
~********~
Chapter Twelve by tree2583
Alana woke up the next morning with the sun shining through her window. She stretched her body and got up to make some coffee. She shut the bedroom door behind her quietly so that she wouldn’t wake Nick. He looks so worn out.

It was 8:30 in the morning. Alana made some coffee and went outside for some morning fresh air. The sky threatened rain, with dark clouds moving in. The wind began to pick up to a light breeze. Her long hair blew against the wind as she paused at the sliding glass door. She went back inside and made herself a cup of coffee. She turned on the television and sat down on the couch in the living, watching the morning news.

“And in entertainment news, will Nick Carter be charged with assault to Paris Hilton?” the anchor asked.

Alana turned off the television. She knew that is was going to be a long day. Oh, don't I know it. She switched her phone so that the answering machine would pick up on the first ring. Then she turned off Nick’s cell phone that was sitting on the kitchen counter.

Alana looked at the clock in the kitchen just as she was finishing up the dishes. It was 1:30 in the afternoon and Nick was still sleeping. She really didn’t want to wake him up, but she knew that he needed a few clothes and personal items. Alana dried her hands on a dish towel and went to wake him up.

She had taken a shower earlier and dressed in light blue linen Capri pants, a white short-sleeved blouse with blue stripes and brown flat sandals. She left her hair down around her shoulders; keeping her make-up simple.

She went into her bedroom and saw Nick sprawled out in the middle of her bed. Sitting on the edge, she ran her fingers through his blonde hair. He stirred a little and sighed heavily. I shouldn't have done this, she thought but I couldn't resist...he's just a friend..but...

“Nick,” Alana said, rubbing his bare chest and stomach “wake up.”


He moaned against her touch and grunted in pleasure. Alana, remember, he's JUST a friend! But why has he to be so god damn sexy?Has he always been like this?, She smiled and pinched one of his nipples, hard.

“OWWW!” he yelped.

He opened his eyes and squinted, seeing Alana perched near his face.

“Morning Sunshine,” she greeted.

Nick yawned and wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close to him. He closed eyes again and just held her. She wanted to savor the moment; she just wanted to lie in his arms.

“I’m going to run some errands,” she said with her lips to his ear, touching his ear sending tingles down his body. “Do you want to come with me?”

He snuggled up to her, putting his face in the crook of her shoulder. He wrapped his arms around her stomach and pulled her close. He inhaled deeply, smelling her hair, relaxing him completely.

“Nick,” she started to say.

“Shhh…,” he muttered, pressing his lips to her temple, then her ear.

She felt tingles down her body. His lips were still caressing her ear, she gave into the pleasure. He touched his lips with her for a single moment.

“Nick,” she said, pulling away “what are you doing?”

He looked at her “I don’t know,” he answered. But do I like it?

Alana got out of her bed and straightened her clothes. I never thought we could be like this...god, why do you have to toture me? I want him so badly, but he's just my friend, my best friend...can this ever end good? I don't want to lose him...I wanna feel himShe shrugged as she confessed that to herself

“I’ll be back in a couple of hours,” she said. If I can hold out that long...
~**********~
Chapter Thirteen by tree2583
Alana parked in the parking lot of Tampa Wal-Mart super center. She ran inside, just as it started to rain. Grabbing a cart, she headed for the health and beauty aides section (HBA) of the store. There, she picked up a toothbrush, some razors, shaving cream, deodorant, and some hair gel.

She then, wheeled her cart to the men’s section. She grabbed a package of t-shirts, two packages of boxer shorts, a couple of jean cargo shorts, one pair of tan cargo shorts, a couple of button down shirts, and a couple pairs of athletic shorts .

She ran to the grocery side last to pick up some food that she knew Nick liked to eat. Alana also grabbed some Bud light beer, wine coolers, some Corona, and margarita mix. As she went to wait in a line, Bonnie caught up with her.

“How are you doing honey?” the older women asked, smiling warmly.

“I’m doing good,” Alana answered. I would be doing better, if my best friend felt the same about me.

“When are you coming back to work?” Bonnie asked “We all miss you.”

She wanted to go back to work, she really did. She didn't know if her heart would be into it anymore, but she needed to make money.

“I have a doctor’s appointment later this week,” she answered. And I really don't want to go.

“So you’ll probably be back soon” Bonnie said hopeful.

She looked in Alana’s cart. Bonnie was one of the very few people that knew about Nick.

“How is he doing?” she asked.

“He’s lost,” Alana answered quietly.

“Oh honey,” Bonnie said. “No he’s not. He found his way back to you.”

And what if he'll find the way to my heart? That no one before had found?

Alana smiled. They said their goodbyes and she finally checked out of the store. It was pouring when she went out to her car. She pulled into her garage about fifteen minutes later. She put away the few groceries that she had bought and put the three bags that she had bought for Nick into the extra bedroom. Alana looked in her room and saw that he was still sleeping. It's so good that he is finally getting his rest. It's great that he came back....I don't feel so alone anymore..he's with me...
Chapter Fourteen by tree2583
Nick rubbed his eyes and looked at the clock on the nightstand. It read quarter after six. He had slept for almost seventeen hours straight. He needed to get up. He got out of bed and went into the bathroom that connected to Alana’s bedroom (the master bathroom) to use the toilet. He walked down the hall and into the extra bedroom. He found three Wal-Mart bags on the extra bed. He rumbled through them and found a stick of deodorant. Nick smiled as he put some on. Only Alana knew down to the deodorant he wore. Has anyone ever cared for me that much? She doesn't have to care about me, but still she does...I crawl back here into her life as I messed my life but she welcomes me so sincere. I would never want to leave...

He threw on a pair of the jean cargo shorts and a button down shirt, which he decided to leave unbuttoned.

He walked out and found her in the kitchen cooking over the store. Nick watched her dish out hamburger helper onto two plates. Why can she do even the simplest things with such a grace? I feel like she's only here because of me. I know, I'm being selfish, but...I could imagine to be with her everyday...to be so..so sincerely..loved? She sat at the kitchen table and looked up to see him watched her. Alana pointed to the counter, motioning for him to eat. He grabbed the plate from the counter and sat down at the table across from her. She slid over bottled water.

“Thanks,” he said quietly.

He opened it up and took a long sip.

“Nice outfit,” she commented

He looked up at her as he put a forkful of hamburger helper in his mouth, chewing it and swallowing.

“You didn’t have to buy me anything,” he said as he wiped his face with a napkin. “But thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” she answered.

She watched him finish up what was on his plate and go up to the stove and put another heaping pile on his plate.

“You didn’t eat either, did you?” she asked, raising her eyebrows at the pile on his plate. What was he doing all the time? Did no one really care for him? But maybe..deep down..he knew that here is the place for him..no matter what?

“Nope" he answered, shoving a forkful into his mouth.

Nick was on his third beer when Alana came into the living room with a wine cooler for herself. The television was on ESPN, a review of games and stats from the previous day from all the games. She saw on the couch next to him.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

He downed the rest of his beer and set his empty can on the coffee table.

“Shitty,” he answered.

She offered him the rest of her wine cooler, in which he gladly accepted. Alana went back into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of rum, a liter of coke from the fridge, and two glasses and went back into the living room.

I just have to make him talkative..if he says everything now he'll feel better..let's see what I have to loosen his tongue,

“Okay Nick,” she said pouring two drinks “start talking.”
~**********~

Nick was laying in between Alana’s legs with his head on her chest. He was passed out. She shut off the television. They had finally talked about his break-up with Paris, even though it took him three beers, two wine coolers, and seven rum and cokes to get it out of him. She played with his hair while he slept , realizing it was 2:30 in the morning. And how could i be so selfish and only think about me? How could I be mad at him for not calling? He has been through some hard times...maybe he's got a beautiful soul if he believed that this girl really loved him?

She finally closed her eyes and fell asleep.

Nick woke up a short time later because he had to use the bathroom. He carefully got up without waking her. He had to hold on to things because he was still a little tipsy.

Alana woke up and saw that the bathroom light was on. She stood up and stretched. He came out and saw that she was awake.

“I’m gonna go to bed,” he told her as he made his way down the hall toward her room.

A few minutes later, she went down to her room to get some sleep also. She found Nick sprawled out on his back with the blankets around his waist. She saw that his clothes were piled next to her hamper, including his boxers! He was naked in her bed!

“Nick, wake up,” she said, shaking his bare shoulder.

He groaned. “Whhhhaaatttt…..?”

“Put your boxers back on,” she demanded.

“I’m too tiiirrreeedddd…..” he complained.

“Then I’m not sleeping in here,” she said.

He held out his hand and she gave him his boxers. He rolled out of bed, exposing himself when the blankets fell back.

“Nick!” she cried, trying not to look, but couldn’t resist. She took in the sight of him as she took a deep breath. God, he was gorgeous when he was naked! He's really well stocked down there, too...Where's my mind going now? Am I actually allowed even to think that?

“What?” he asked as he pulled up his boxers.

He squinted at her. “I’m so fucking tired,” he complained. “I can’t believe you woke me up just to put on my boxers.”

He slid back into bed under the covers and closed his eyes.

Alana went into the bathroom and changed into a night gown that was purple with spaghetti straps. She climbed into her bed on her side and pulled the covers up around her shoulders and closed her eyes. Well, maybe it wasn't a big deal to let him sleep witout his boxers? He didn't have any bad intentions, right? She sighed ligthly and rewinded the unusual scene in her head. Maybe he'll undress for me one day?

These little naughty thoughts brought her swiftly into the dream world.

A little while later, Nick woke up. Looking at the clock, it read a little after 3:30 in the morning. He looked over at his best friend. She was sleeping peacefully. He stared at the ceiling. He felt so much better after talking to Alana about his break up with Paris. He finally had come to the realization that he never really loved her, but only cared for her. But what was love?

He smiled in the darkness. He never loved Paris. He could finally stop feeling sorry for himself and move on with his life. He looked at the inside of his wrist. He could see the outline of Paris’ name. Whatever possessed him to get it, he didn’t know. Tomorrow he would go and get it fixed. It had to be covered.

Nick ran his fingers through Alana’s hair and down her shoulder. He smiled again and watched her sleep. He finally knew what love was -- to know that someone really cares for you, to know that she'll be always by my side...and the feeling to be with her forever from now on. I have to find out how she feels about me...I will show her how much I care for her...just step by step...It was what he felt for his best friend, wasn’t it? Did she feel the same way?
~**********~
Chapter Fifteen by tree2583
Alana woke up the next morning to the sound of the doorbell ringing. She squinted at the clock and groaned as she saw it was only 8:30 a.m.

Who the hell has the indecency to ring the doorbell this early? she thought to herself as she flung the covers back and got out of bed.

She grabbed her blue house coat and walked to the front door. Looking out the peephole, she saw a man dressed in a brown UPS suit and hat. She unlocked the three locks and opened the door a crack.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

"Are you Ms. Alana Patterson?" The man questioned looking at his clipboard and then at her again.

"Yes," she answered. Last time I checked anyways...

"I have a delivery for you Ms. Patterson," he said, looking at his clipboard a second time.

"I didn't order anything," Alana said, still looking out the crack of the door.

"Miss, I have two trucks that need to be unloaded at this address," The UPS man stated.

"Oh god," she moaned once realizing that it was all of Nick's stuff coming from Los Angeles.

A good two hours later, the three men and Nick (whom she had to drag out of bed) finished unloading the two trucks. Everything was in her basement for now, except fot his clothes.

When he said everything, I didn't think he meant his whole life she thought. What the hell am I supposed to do with all this shit? I have no basement. He really needs his own place.

Alana busied herself by starting a load of his clothes. The washer and dryer were off in the laundry room, which was by the kitchen. Nick had seven big totes and several dry clean only bags spread all over the spare bedroom. He was in the garage rummaging through boxes to find his play station 2 and games. He found everything, including his lap top; all in the same box and brought it inside. Alright! I found em'.

He put the box by the television in the living room and went to find Alana.

I wonder where she is he thought.

Nick went into her bedroom and saw that the light was on in the bathroom through the door that was ajar. He walked quietly acrossed the room and peeked through the crack. He saw her taking a bubble bath in the white garden tub. The bubbles came just above her breasts, exposing some cleavage. Her hair was piled on top of her head in a messy ponytail.

She looks so relaxed...I wish I could join her...whoah there boy, don't go thinking that...

A smile spread across his face as he watched her.

Alana ran her loofa over her arm. She heard the door open a little. Startled, she saw Nick watching her.

"Nick!" she cried, ducking down under the bubbles more "what do you think your doing in here?"

He opened the door all the way and walked in, sitting on the closed lid of the white toliet seat

"Enjoying the view," he replied.

She could feel her cheeks turn pick with embarrassment. I shouldn't be embarassed...He picked up the loofa and ran it across the back of her neck. She could feel tingles all the way down to her toes.

"Lemme wash your back," he said.

She looked at him for a second and then leaned forward a little. He ran the loofa down and across her back. It felt so good. oh yeahhh....She leaned back in the tub as he finished washing her back.

"Okay," She said, her voice hoarse "I have to wash my hair."

He flashed her one of his smiles and shut the door. Alana sank further into the tub. What I am going to do? she asked herself.
~**********~
Chapter Sixteen by tree2583
Nick drove Alana's grand am the hour and a half drive to Orlando. He had packed an overnight bag because he was staying at AJ's house. He got to his house about 4:30 that afternoon. They both had plans to go to the tattoo palor in an hour.

The two of them walked into Tracy's Tattoos. Tracy Swain was a good friend of AJ's and did a lot of his tattoos. She covered up Nick's wrist with a picture of a skull and cross bones, with the saying "Old Habits Die Hard." He gritted his teeth in pain, but went through with it. Why did I ever think to put her name of my wrist? How stupid could I have been?
~**********~

While Nick was in Orlando, Alana was home sorting out his stuff in her basement. She had finished all of his laundry and hung it all in the closet in the extra bedroom. He had so much stuff, she couldn't believe it. I need to buy a bigger house, she thought. What am I going to do with all this stuff?

Meanwhile, back at AJ's house, AJ was taking his clippers to Nick's hair. This made Nick feel like he was starting fresh. The two friends retired to the kitchen where they both pulled out their packages of cigarettes.
~**********~

Alana curled up on the couch in the living room dressed in one of Nick's blue shirts. It was 11:30 that night. She missed him. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she missed having him around all the time. She missed talking with him. She just missed him. Alana reached for the cordless phone and dialed Nick's cell phone. After three rings, his voicemail picked up.

"Hey sorry I missed your call, Leave me one and I'll try to get back to ya," his voice said.

Alana took a deep breath and started talking. I know I shouldn't do this, but..I miss him and I just can't keep it to myself anymore...

"Hey, it's me. It's about 11:30 and I'm sitting home, wishing I was out having fun like you and AJ . Just wanted to tell you that I miss you. I know that sounds corny, But I do. Talk to you later." She hung up.
~**********~

AJ and Nick got back about an hour later, after playing poker with some friends at a local bar downtown. He took his cell phone out of his pocket and checked his voicemail. He listened to his messages and smiled when he hear Alana's voice. She hardly ever left him voicemails.

"Yo AJ, I gotta run," he said grabbing his bag and heading for the door. She misses me! That's so great! What am I hangin around here?My girl needs me!!!

His friend looked at him with a puzzled look.

"Where are you going?" AJ asked opening a bottle of water and taking a sip.

Nick paused and looked at him.

"I gotta go home," he answered.

"Home?" AJ asked "To LA?"

Nick laughed.

"No, dude. Tampa," he said.

"Ah," AJ said.

Nick got into Alana's car and set for the drive back to Tampa. Home, he thought, Home was where Alana was.
~**********~

Alana climbed into bed around 1:00 that morning. She snuggled under the covers and drifted off to sleep. Nick pilled into the garage a little after 1:30 a.m. He sped the entire way home. Quietly unlocking the door, he set his things near the kitchen table. He slipped onto the back porch for a quick cigarrette. He inhaled the smoke, making him feel at ease. After a few more drags, he put out the but on the porch railing and ficked its remains in the yard below. He made his way down to her bedroom. The door was opened and Nick saw her sleeping on her side, the comforter pulled up halfway around her. He slid off his shirt and pants and quietly went into the bathroom. Looking in the mirror, he rubbed his buzzed hair and smiled.

Nick climbed in bed from the other side. He layed on his side, putting his elbow under his head and watched her sleep. Just like an angel, he thoughtAlana shifted in her sleep. As she moved her arm, she hit something. She moved her hand up along Nick's bare shoulder until she found his hand. She entwined her fingers within his, smiled and moved closer to him. She snuggled right up to his back. He smiled as he played with her fingers.

"I thought you were staying at AJ's," she said sleepily

Nick turned over so that he was facing her. Her eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room and she noticed his hair.

"Your hair!" she cried softly "it's gone!"

She rubbed her hands over his shaved head over and over again. He laughed and caught both of her hands with his.

"I like it," Alana said "it's a good change."
~**********~
Chapter Seventeen by tree2583
The next few months were a blur to Alana and to Nick. With him traveling around with the other four members of the Backstreet Boys and with her returning to work, it was really hard for the two friends to see each other. The guys were in the process of recording their newest album after a four or five year hiatus. They always called or emailed each other almost daily. Nick didn't want to screw up his friendship with Alana. He thought he had almost lost her due to him dating Paris Hilton. Why can't I see that Alana is the perfect match for me? What the hell did I see in Paris?She can't compare to Alana.

It was March 2nd. Nick was in Los Angeles finishing up some recording with the guys. Howie, Brian, and AJ had all flown home that afternoon. Kevin lived in Los Angeles, so he was home not long after. Nick had decided to stay in L.A. for a a day or two more to visit his family and some friends.

He dialed up Alana's number. His heart was pounding and his hands a little shaky all because he knew he soon could be back home with her. Yes, the only thing he really missed while recording the album was Alana. He wished that she could want him to come back. He wanted again to look into her beautiful green eyes and feel so special and needed.
The phone rang four times before she picked up.

"Hello?" she asked.

"Hey," he greeted.

She smiled at the sound of his voice. He had called her a couple of days ago. God, he called me! Did he miss me that much? She almost jumped.

"Hey, yourself," she replied back. "What's up?"

"Nothin'," he said "What about you?"

He was sitting in a rental car, a 2004 black Jaguar to be exact, and lit up a cigarrette.

"I just got home from work," Alana said. "I just talked to you, like, two days ago. Do you miss me that much?"

Nick laughed at her comment as he let out a puff of smoke out the window. I just can't come back right now. It's too dangerous for me...I could do something very wrong..but I want her so badly...

"When are you coming back?" she asked in a small voice.Why am I asking that? What will he think?

"I'm gonna stay in LA for a couple more days. I meeting some friends downtown for some serious partying," he answered, finishing his cigarrette, then throwing it out the window.

He heard Alana sigh on the other end of the phone.

"Lana, I know we haven't seen each other the last few months, but you know that I have been working on the new album with the guys," he said.

"I know this Nick," she stated "It just would have been nice to see you for a day or two before you went back to recording."

He was getting really agitated at her.

"Everyone wants me for something!" he exclaimed as he raised his voice, causing her to pull back the phone from her ear. "My family wants me to go see them, the guys want to finish this album, the fuckin press will not leave me alone, and now I have you wanting me to come back home! I cannot deal with all this shit! All I want to do is to have one night to hang out and be normal!" I want you but I can't have you...you're my best friend!

Alana could feel her blood boil. She was getting angry. He had not right to yell at her. She didn't do anything wrong. She just wanted to see her best friend.

"You are the one who chose this path," she yelled back "you didn't have to anything you don't want to do. You knew about all the shit that comes with being Mr. Pop Star."

"Don't give me your shit Alana!" he growled.

"Fuck you Carter," she said angrily and then hung up on him. And I thought you cared about me..I was so wrong.

"Fuck!!" Nick yelled as he throw his phone on the passenger seat of the Jaguar.

He put on his seat belt and headed to downtown Los Angeles to meet with some friends.
~**********~
Chapter Eighteen by tree2583
Alana finally got into bed around 10:30 that evening. She had to get up at 4:30 the next morning because she had be to work at 6:00 a.m. Pulling the covers over her shoulder, she drifted off to sleep.What's wrong with him? He usually doesn't act that way? I didn't do anything wrong, did I? I hate fighting with him...

At 2:30a.m., the phone rang. She opened her eyes, slowly. She didn't want to answer it. It was way to early to get up, but the phone kept ringing. Alana finally rolled over and picked it up on the nightstand next to her bed.

"Hello?" she asked.

"Ms. Patterson?" the voice asked.

"Yes, this is she," she answered.

"Ms. Patterson, this is Offier Rizzio of the Bakersfield Police Department," he said. "I'm calling regarding Nickolas Carter."

Alana could feel her stomach suddenly become extremely nauseous. Ohmigod! What has he done to himself? I hope it's nothing bad...

"What happened? Is he okay? Is he hurt?" she asked, the nervousess in her voice starting to show.

"Calm down miss," Officer Rizzio said "Mr. Carter is fine. He is in our custody right now. We pulled him over for excessive speeding. We also found out that he was highly intoxicated with alcohol; over the legal limit in the state of Californa. I am sure that you are aware that he does get one phone call."

"Yes," was all she could say. Thank God he's okay...but doing such stupid and crazy things like him...maybe there's something more behind it?

There was a brief pause on the phone until she heard his voice.

"Lana?" Nick asked.

"Yah?" she choked. Why are you calling me?

"Can you come and get me?" he asked. His voice was silent, almost whispering. He was so afraid that she would just hang up and not listen to him. He knew that he shouldn't have been so rude with her on the phone the last time, but he was just so unsecure about his feelings. That was one of the reasons why he landed in custoby. Now, he knew that he just can't expect anything. He was a beggar. Begging for her help. "I don't want to ask Kevin. That is the last thing I need."

She closed her eyes tight to keep the tears from forming in her eyes. Why can't I say no to him? she thought.

"Give me some time to get there," she answered, sighing heavily.
~**********~

After calling into work for the next two days and explaining that she had a family emergency to the store manager, Alana hopped on the next plane to Los Angeles. She left from Tampa as early as she could and she was soon in LAX. Sure, having such an unexpected flight was stressful, but she knew she had to do it. For him. For once in her life, she has to be there for him. He had no one else. She had always avoided his ''popstar'' person and had never been to any of his concerts She just didn't want to get into the spotlight. Her friend was Nick, just an ordinary guy, not the teenie-bopper, heart-breaking popstar, who was always in the spotlight. Sometimes it seemed to her that there were two people-the Nick from BSB and the one she knew.

She grabbed her duffle bags from baggage claim and then when up to the desk for some information. Why the hell am I here?

"Can I help you miss?" the man behind the counter asked.

"Yes, I need to rent a car," she answered. I have to get my so-called friend from jail.

"Can I have your name please?" he asked.

"Alana Patterson," she stated.

Mannie clicked away at the keyboard for a few moments and then looked at her.

"According to our records miss, there is a car waiting for you out in our parking lot," he said. "Your party is waiting for you."

She looked confused and polietly thanked him. My party is waiting for me? Sometimes it's comfortable to be a friend of a popstar, she thought to herself, but she still hadn't forgot why she was there-to help him and not to live the high life.

Going out to the parking lot, she saw a familar face, Frank, Nick's main bodyguard. He was a big stocky guy. He had brown buzzed hair and brown eyes. His muscles where about the size what seemed like of her head.

"Hi Frank," she said giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. Nick is lucky to have Frank in his music career...without him, he would be messed up...

"Hey Alana," he replied putting her bags in the truck of the blue Chevy Tahoe.

"How did you know I was coming?" she asked getting into the passenger seat of the vehicle.

"Nick gave me a call and asked me to meet you at the airport with a rented car," Frank answered starting up the Tahoe and pulling onto the interstate. Good ol' Nicky... "He wasn't sure you would actually show because he mentioned something about a fight you two had earlier."

So he does feel guilty! Maybe he didn't mean to be rude to me? I should be nicer to him. I won't read his morals when I get him from the police..he already knows he messed up..I just won't say anything...

Alana looked out the window and then at him.

"I honestly didn't want to come, but I can't say no to him. I never go anywhere for him," she said. But now I feel that I would've even flown all around the world if he needed me.

And now I am in California...

The ride to Bakersfield was just about two hours. Frank parked in the parking lot of the Red Lion Hotel. It was a nice little hotel. A place where, most likely, no paprazzi would be lingering around. The ideal place for Nick to recover...not just from his drunk driving...from his bad behavior to her...but deep inside she knew that she could forgive him everything. Why? Because it was her Nick...Right?

"Sorry," he aplogized "this is the closest hotel out of the way of everything."

She laughed. "I don't care as long as it has a bed."
~**********~

She met Frank downstairs in the lobby a half an hour later. Alana have had some time to take a shower and get dressed. She didn't dress up, by no means. She just put on the outfit she liked the most-jeans and a t-shirt. The ride to the police station took a while. As they parked the car in the parking lot she saw the gray brick building.Maybe this color matches Nick's current mood?

"I'm here to see Officer Rizzio," Alana said to the female officer that was at the front desk.

"Your name please?" the officer asked nicely. Her name badge said Officer Huey.

"Alana Patterson," she answered.

Officer Huey pressed the page button and answered the phone. After a few moments of conversation, she hung up.

"Go right down the hall and it's the first office on the left," she said.

Alana and Frank were seated in two chairs in front of Officer Rizzio's desk. Officer Marcus Rizzio was of African American decent and aged about in his early forties.

"Okay, Ms. Patterson, all I need you to do is to sign here stating that you agreed to pick up Mr. Carter," he said pointing to the line on the paper.

Alana scribbled her signature and dated it, then handed it back to him.

"Mr. Carter has to pay $500 before leaving," Officer Rizzio said. "here are his belongings, and he will meet you at the front desk."

She looked at the contents of the plastic ziploc freezer bag. It contained his wallet, a pack of half smoked cigarettes, a blue lighter, his cell phone, some pocket change, and a gold chain necklace.

Nick was sitting in a chair by the front desk nervously tapping his foot. He was still wearing the same clothes from the night before; blue jeans, a white shirt and he had a hat in his hands. He didn't want Alana to see him like this. Hell, he didn't know if she even came. I wish I could look better now. I'm just completely miserable. I even don't know if I deserve that she is even talking to me. And if she would come. Would she help me?

And then, he saw her and Frank walk up the hall. She handed him his bag without saying a word, just giving him a look; look that said everything.

Nick paid his bail using his credit card and followed Alana out the front door. Frank was walking next to him.

The ride back to the hotel was silent. Nick was in the backseat while Alana was up in front and Frank driving. She looked out the window the entire time and didn't even look back at him. Frank parked in the back parking lot of the hotel. He followed Alana with him right behind him.

They got in the elevator and went up to the third floor. Frank went into his room and Alana unlocked hers, with Nick behind her. She didn't even notice that this was an executive suite. She didn't want to notice anything around her, though she knew that Nick was there, too. He walked in and took in his surroundings. The room was quaint. It had a Queen Size bed on the back side of the room near the window. There were divider doors that were opened to the living room where there was a couch, a television and a desk with a chair seated next to it.

Alana shut the door behind her. Nick sat down on the couch and put the ziploc bag on the table that sat next to it. She went into the closet and threw a bag at his feet and went into the other room without saying a word.

Nick felt really guilty. It was his worst punishment-she was there, but she acted like she didn't care about him. He knew that he deserved that..for all the times he had not been there for her. Still..there was a light of hope. Maybe he had a chance to make everything all right again? I will do anything for you if you forgive..forgive me for not telling you everything...for ignoring you...and right now, with every breath I take I more and more feel how much I need you.
~**********~
Chapter Nineteen by tree2583
Nick opened the black duffel bag. He rummaged through it and found some of his favorite clothes. He was really touched by it. She had taken care of him even regarding the fact that she didn't have to take so much care about him. God, she even didn't have to help bail me out. She is so perfect, but I mess up all the time. Inside a small green bag was all his personal items-toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, gel, deoderant, razor and shaving cream. He grabbed the small green bag, a pair of boxers, black mesh shorts, and a white t-shirt. He shut the door to the bathroom and proceeded to take a shower.

Alana was laying on the bed watching some aimless televison show. She sighed heavily and closed her eyes. She couldn't believe she had flown all the way to California just for Nick. She had never done anything like this for him. It's not like he would fly back home from the middle of his tour just to see her, would he? I believe he would if only he could. I'm now just too angry with him so I start to bring up the bad things...He has always remembered me...it's just his life..I think he doesn't know where he wants to go with... She looked at the clock by the bed, it was only 4:00 p.m. She was so tired from the flight and the jet lag had finally caught up with her.

Nick came out of the bathroom refreshed. He left the hotel towel over the bathtub edge. He left his dirty clothes by his black duffel bag near the couch so that they were out of the way. Sitting back down on the couch, he grabbed the ashtray from the end table and put it on the coffee table in front of him. He picked up his cell phone and pack of cigarettes from the ziploc bag. Dialing Frank's number, he lit of a cigarette.

"Hey, Frank, It's Nick," He said "Would you do me a favor and go out and get me a carton of cigarettes and stop someplace to pick up dinner for everyone? Thanks dawg."

He took a long drag of the cigarette, savoring the inhale, then blowing out the cloud of smoke out his mouth and nose. As he turned on the televison, he finished his cigarette and put it out in the ash tray that sat in front of him. Nick made himself comfortable on the couch and watched television. At least she didn't leave right away,he thought, watching some pointless sitcom.
~**********~

About a half an hour later, there was a knock on the door. Nick got up and looked out the peephole of the white hotel door. Seeing that it was Frank with food, he unlocked the door and then him in. Frank handed Nick the receipts. He looked at them, and then dug into this wallet and gave Frank what he owed him.

"Thanks man," Nick said offering him a place to sit down.

"No thanks," Frank replied "I need some sleep, it's been a long day."

He left and Nick locked the door behind him. He looked at the take out bag that sat on the table in front of him. It was from a Chinese place. Looking inside, he found a huge assortment of food, including eggrolls, rice, and fortune cookies.

Nick quietly opened the dividing doors to the other half of the room. Alana was curled up in the center of the bed sleeping. He brought the bag in with him and turned down the volume of the televison that set it on the dresser across the room.

"Lana," he whispered shaking her shoulder a little.

She moved a little to his touch, but then continued to sleep.

"Alana," he said a little louder and shaking her shoulder more.

Her eyes fluttered opened and focused on him.

"What?!?" she asked closing her eyes again and putting a pillow over her head.

"Frank got some food, thought you might be hungry," Nick answered.

Her stomach began to growl loudly enough for him to hear.

"Guess you are," he said.

Alana sat up and looked at the bag of food, which smelled good. She got her barings straight, forgetting that she was in California instead of Florida.

He handed her a fork and a dish of Chinese food, then left the room with the bag in hand.

He was sure she didn't want him to stay. He hadn't the strength to stay. If he stayed, he would have been fighting with the need to hug her and ask for forgiveness.
~**********~

A little while later, Alana opened the divider doors and found Nick watching televison. He looked up at her.

"I'm leaving tomorrow morning," she announced. "I have to get back to work."

"That's fine because I'm not staying either," he said.

Alana crossed her arms over her chest.

"I don't think you understand what I am saying Nick. I am leaving tomorrow without you," she stated seriously.

He looked at her with a dumbfounded look. She doesn't want me to come home? What is up with that?

"Why?" he asked

"Nick, I got a phone call at 2:30 in the morning from the police to come and get you. I took two personal days from work just to fly across the country because you asked me too," she answered.

"Yah? And you're point?" he asked, the sarcasm heard in his voice. He didn't want to sound this way. He just wanted so to go home so bad; to the place where he felt secure and loved and more importantly-to be with Alana.

She gave him an annoyed look. Ok, she thought, Two can play at this game.

"Listen ass-wipe, I don't want you home until you get your shit together," she said bluntly. He just has to understand that I'm not going to be on his beck and call all the time! I would do anything for him, but he has count my feelings and my life, too..its not always about him...
~**********~
Chapter Twenty by tree2583
Chapter Twenty

A week and a half later, making it a March fourteenth, Nick had arrived back in Tampa. Frank had come back with him from Los Angeles. Their plane had landed at Tampa International Airport at 6:30 that morning. He had wanted to take an early flight so he could get away from all the chaos.

He wanted to come home. He didn't want to stay in L.A. He did what Alana had asked him and tried to get his shit together. It was least he could do, for everything that she had done for him recently. But he knew he had a lot more to make up for.

Nick had gotten together with the rest of the guys a week before and told them all what had happened. From there, it got out to the press and the Backstreet Boys had to hold a least four different press conferences. He was sick of the media. They all decided to take a break from recording the new album for about two weeks, then they would all meet down in Orlando to finish it up.

Nick got into the front seat of Frank's black jeep.

"Where to boss?" Frank asked as they pulled out onto the freeway.

"Tampa Walmart," he answered as he light a cigarette.

Frank gave him a look.

"Does she know you're back?" Frank asked.

"Nope," he said, flicking the ashes from his cigarette out the opened window. What was she going to say?
~**********~

It was around 7:00 a.m. Alana had gotten to work an hour before. Being head CSM was an exhausting job. She had to be careful so that she didn't end up in the hosptial again. She had five registers open. Looking at the notebook on the podium, she sighed. She didn't have enough cashiers to last the entire day. That meant calling up the salesfloor associates because most of them were register trained.

Forty-five minutes later, Frank parked his black jeep in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. There weren't many cars because it was really early. So the chances of Nick being mobbed were small. Nick was wearing worn faded blue jeans, a green fitted t-shirt and a white hat. Frank walked in with him. He looked around the store. It was really quiet. He saw a few associates in blue. Nick was not one to go to Wal-Mart, especially where Alana worked. Hell, he had never been to this Wal-Mart. He pulled his hat down and Frank walked a distance away from him, keeping his eyes opened. A male associate was putting out soda onto a display in action alley .

"Can you tell me where I can find Alana Patterson?" Nick asked.

The guy looked up. He was dressed in jeans, an orange shirt, and blue Wal-Mart vest.

"You mean CSM Alana?" the guy asked.

"Yah," he answered, feeling kind of funny.

"She's over by the podium near the front registers, wearing a red vest, you can't miss her," the associate said.

"Thanks," Nick said, walking away.

He walked through the menswear section and touched the clothes. He looked around to take in the atmostsphere. Frank was not far behind him, he was casually browsing through a clothing rack.

As Nick spotted her from afar he just couldn't keep his eyes of her. Her long hair was pulled back with a clip, revealing her neck. The tan capris were tightly hugging her hips, showing off her curves...the hem of a pink top was showing under the red employee vest, and this vest was really destroying her breathtaking outfit in his opinion

He looked behind him and saw Frank about fifteen feet away from him, enough just to give him some space. Nick approached the podium slowly. Alana was counting money and writing down numbers onto a clipboard. She looked so engrossed in what she was doing she didn't notice him standing infront of the podium.

Alana closed the top drawer and locked it with her key. She then looked up to check to see if any register lights were flashing, but a familiar face was in her way.

"OMIGOD!" she cried, jumping almost a mile "What the hell are you doing here?"

Nick laughed and grinned.

"I came to talk to you," he answered.

He gave her such a heart-melting smile that she was glad to see him. They should issue a licence for being so cute.
She looked around to see if anyone was looking. Thank goodness there weren't many customers or associates around.

"You're supposed to be in L.A.," Alana said quietly. "Why are you here? You wouldn't be caught dead this store."

But still he came. Did he really understand what I meant?

"I need to talk to you," Nick repeated, his voice was quiet, yet filled with so much hope and that unique sound had conquered her

"Nick, I'm working, this isn't the time, nor the place," she answered.

She saw a light flashing on register 16 and started to walk toward it. He started to follow her. Alana put her key into the keylock on the keyboard and punched her numbers in to give the cashier an override.

"I just want to talk Lana," he said, trying to stay calm.

She gave him an angry look. She didn't want to deal with this right now.

"I don't want to talk to you right now. Can't you see I'm working?" she hissed back.

"Alana," he growled.

"Don't you 'Alana' me Nickolas," she said. "I told you, I am working. I will talk to you later."

She started walking towards the Serivce Desk, but Nick grabbed her wrist. She glared at him with an agitated stare. She shook his grip off.

"Fine, but not here," she said.

He followed her behind the the Service Desk into a small office. Alana shut the door.

"Now tell me what's so important that couldn't wait until I got out of work," she said glaring at him with her hands on her hips. "And you're supposed to be in L.A. with the other guys recording your new album, right?"

Nick towered over at standing over six feet compared to her five foot, five inch frame.

"We're on a break right now," he replied.

"You came all the way from L.A. to tell me you're on break?!?" She cried. "I told you that I didn't want you home until you got your shit together!"

He sighed. It was no use getting to her. She was stubborn, but that's what he loved about her. She had a spunky personality and she didn't like it when people pushed her buttons.

"Forget I came here," he said with just as much anger and started to open the door.

Alana squeezed her eyes shut for a moment. He wasn't supposed to just leave.

"Nick wait," she said, her voice calming down.

He turned around and raised his eyebrows.

"Go home and get some sleep, we'll talk when I get home," she said.

He gave her a half smile and left. She llowed me to go home. That's so good. Maybe it means she could forgive me for all the shit I've done?

Alana sank into the chair by the desk and took a deep breath. What am I getting myself into? she asked herself.
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-One by tree2583
Alana was regretting going home after she clocked out of work for the day. She wasn't sure if she was ready to face Nick or not. The news had leaked out about his arrest. She vaugely knew the details, but the news was telling everyone that he had be doing drugs and that it impaired his judgement and other wild stories. She knew he would tell her what happened. She was doing pretty good for not seeing him or talking to him for the last eleven days, and then he had the nerve to show up at her work.

She grabbed an empty cart from the back so that she could get a few groceries. She spent twenty minutes in the grocery section before she checked out of Wal-Mart. She put her bags in the truck of her car and proceeded on her way home.

Parking her car in the garage, she grabbed the bags and unlocked the side door. Alana put away all of the food that she had bought. She saw that there was a pile of Nick's clean clothes folded on top of the dryer and that there was a basket of his dirty clothes near the washer.

She noticed that the dishes that were in her sink were washed and air drying in the dish strainer. What the hell is he up too? she thought.

As Alana walked further into her house she saw that the living room was picked up, the rug vacuumed, and the furniture was dusted. She even walked into the extra bedroom and bathroom to find them clean also. She was stunned, absolutely stunned.

She peered into her bedroom and saw Nick snuggled up the covers hugging the pillow that she used at night. She decided to let him sleep. He had to be tired from the plane ride and the time difference. Looks like he's taken the phrase about cleaning shit up literally...well, okay...it was a nice gesture of him...I'll let him sleep for a while...

Alana went back into the kitchen and opened the refridgerator to find a snack to eat.
~**********~

Nick opened his eyes slowly. He was so comfortable and didn't want to get up. He looked at the clock, it read 6:30 p.m. He had been sleeping for five hours straight, but only had wanted to sleep for a couple hours so that he would be up when Alana got home from work.

He rubbed the sleepiness out of his eyes and stretched his entire body. This traveling everywhere is exhausting, thank god for a break, he thought to himself.

Nick had taken a shower before he had taken a nap. He was wearing white gym shorts and a yellow t-shirt. His hair stuck up everywhere, which was normal when he always woke up. He didn't care. He ran his fingers through his messy hair, so it was somewhat fixed as he walked passed the mirror that connected to Alana's dresser.

He walked down the hall and saw her settled on the couch in the living room watching television. She was still in the same outfit he had seen her in this morning. He casually walked into the living room, yawning and popped into the chair that sat next to the matching couch.

Alana watched him as he made himself comfortable in the chair. He was slouched with his legs spread out, as he scratched himself. Typical male, she thought to herself.

She was watching some movie on the Lifetime channel. Movies that he didn't like. He didn't say anything as he stared at the screen. She smiled as she watched his expression on his face. The movie was called Fifteen and Pregnant. It was about a 15 year old girl getting pregnant and how her and her family dealt with it. His face was all scrunched up in what was confusion or concetration, like he couldn't decide what was going on. Why is he making that face? He's sofunny! But I'm more curious what he's going to say...Hmm...I like his sleepish looks

Alana turned off the televison

"Hey!" he protested "I was watching that!"

She laughed a little and set the remote on the coffee table. His protest looked so acted and unnatural, yet something about it was touching to her.
~**********~

Nick was out on the pouch that was off the kitchen, smoking a cigarette. Alana watched him from the kitchen table. They had eaten sandwiches for dinner because it was easy to make. She wanted him to sit down and talk to her, but she knew he wouldn't for a while. She watched him as he leaned on the wooden rail and look out into the horizon. His backside was facing the sliding door and everytime he moved, her eyes followed. Damn! His ass is fine! she thought, Wait! what am I thinking? I'm not supposed to be thinking that way! Am I?

She cleared her head fast and tossed away the garbage that was left on the table from dinner. Nick came back in and washed his hands at the kitchen sink. He watched her staring at him as he dried his hands with a paper towel. God, his hands are nice! as another thought ran through her head.

He stood in front of her and looked down.

"You cleaned my house," she said, breaking the silence as she met his glance. That wasn't the best sentence to start the talk, but whatever...I just can't stay here and drool over him...

He nodded. "And I started to do my laundry," he replied.

"You didn't have to do anything, you know that don't you?" she asked.

"I know, but you do a lot for me, so I thought I would do something for you for a change," he answered quietly. "You do so much for me Lana, I have a lot of make up."

She gave him a small smile. "You do," she agreed.

"You're not supposed to agree with me," he said, causing her to laugh a little......Why is he doing that irresistible puppy look on his face?
~**********~

The two friends were settled in the living room, both on the couch. Nick knew that Alana was waiting for him to talk. She knew how he operated, inside and out.

He took a deep breath and began talking.

"I was really pissed after I called you," he started. "I was really pissed and stressed out about everything. It was getting to be too much and then you had told me that you wanted me home. That made me blow."

Alana shifted her position on the couch so that she was facing him.

"After you hung up on me, I drove downtown and met some friends and partied, hard. It was only 9:00 and I was hammered. Everyone left and were gonna met at another club, but I was pulled over before I even got there. Then I ended up getting arrested," Nick said. "That's what happened."

"That's it?" she asked "No drugs?"

"No drugs," he answered.

She looked into his eyes. He was telling her the truth. He would never lie to her, would he?
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-Two by tree2583
Alana ended up going to bed at 10:30 p.m. that night. Nick stayed in the living room and played his playstation 2. He decided that it was best if he gave her some space. I just can't get into bed with her just yet. I won't be able to stop myself from the need to touch her So a night of video games was what was in store for him.

A few hours later, he looked at the clock that was on the living room wall above the television. It read 1:30 a.m. He had be playing video games for the past three hours. He wasn't really tired, but his whole body ached. His head felt funny and he decided that it was time for bed. He turned the television and PS2 off and settled back on the couch. Wrapping a blanket around him, he got comfortable and finally fell asleep.

Alana's alarm clock when off at 4:30 a.m. She had to be to work at 6:00, as usual. She slowly got out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom to take a shower. About 15 minutes later, she walked down the hall toward the living room. She had put on black dress pants and a red sleevess blouse, She did notice that Nick hadn't come to bed with her last night, like he normally did. What didn't he come to bed last night? Why did he so suddenly change his mind and sleep on the couch? Did I say something wrong?

Alana saw a lump on the couch. The lump was Nick completely covered in two blankets that normally sat over the couch and chair. She couldn't even see him his head. She stiffled a giggled and then heard a groan.

Nick pulled back the covers and groaned again. His stomach really hurt. He felt something raise in his throat. All Alana saw, was him dash to the bathroom. She waited a few minutes, then tapped on the bathroom door.

"You okay Nick?" she asked.

There was no response. Please, don't let him get sick now! He's just back home and now that....

"Nick?" she asked again, knocking a little harder.

Again, there was no response.

She opened the door a crack and saw Nick sitting on the floor next the toliet with his head leaning against the wall. His face was covered in sweat and he looked really pale. She watched him as he leaned over and heaved into the toliet a second time. Alana turned away quickly because she didn't really want to see him throwing up. Ewww, she thought.

She opened the cupboard next to the bathroom sink and pulled out a wash cloth. Running it under luke warm water, she rung it out. Nick flushed the toliet and wiped his mouth with the collar of his yellow shirt that he was wearing.

He leaned back up against the wall and Alana knelt in front of him. She gently ran the wash cloth over his forehead. She cupped his face with her other hand and gently ran the cloth over the rest of his face. She put her hand up to his forehead, it felt hot.

"Get into bed," she said putting the dirty cloth in the bathroom hamper. "I'm going to get you some Motrin."

Nick got up slowly and made his way down to the bedroom. He sat on the bed and waited for her to come. Alana had a full glass of water and a bottle of Mortin. She handed it to him and watched him carefully take the medicine, then washing it down with half of the glass of water. He lifted his shirt over his head and she helped him take it off. His shorts came next and she tossed them on the floor near her bedroom hamper. She put a garbage can near the head of the bed, in case he didn't make it to the bathroom on time.

"I don't feel good," Nick complained as his head hit the pillow.

"No shit," Alana answered, pulling the covers over him.

He caught her hand in his for a moment.

"Don't go," he whispered.

"Nick I have to go to work," she said.

"I don't want to be here alone," he replied.I would feel a million times better if she'd stay. I could pay her a hundred times more what Wal-Mart pays, but I still know she wouldn't stay. She's so stubborn...but so adorable...

She ran her fingers down the side of his face.

"Let me see if I can get someone to stay with you," she said quietly.
~**********~

A.J. was sleeping peacefully on his king size waterbed. He had just gotten home from Los Angeles hours before. His cell phone began to ring. He tried to ingore it, but it kept ringing.

He rummaged around on the end table for his phone and flipped it opened.

"What the fuck do you want?" he asked sounding irriated.

"A.J?" the female voice asked.

He rubbed his eyes and recognized the voice. He looked at his watch, it read 5:20 a.m.

"Alana?" he asked "what's wrong? Is everything okay?"

"Can you do me a favor?" she asked.
~**********~

A.J pulled his black 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse into Alana's garage two hours later. He would do anything for her because she was the only friend that Nick had that kept him sane. Nick was a totally different person when he was off tour. He was more calm.

A.J grabbed his bag and went inside the house from the garage side door. He dropped his bag near the couch and saw that a blanket and pillow was laid out. He also saw snacks stacked on the table that he liked to eat. Thank you Alana, he thought. She had asked him to come and stay with Nick for a couple of days because she had to work. He had agreed to come and stay as long as she cooked him food. He loved her cooking, as did everyone esle.

A.J. found a note on the kitchen table.

AJ-Thanks for staying with Nick. He is sleeping in my room. If you need me, the work number is by the phone. Thanks, Alana.

He walked down to the end of the hall and peered into Alana's bedroom. He saw Nick curled up in a ball with the blankets over his head.

"Yo, Nick," A.J. called from the foot of the bed.

Nick moaned and moved a little. He hoped, for a second, that Alana had decided to stay. But it was AJ. Sure, AJ was his friend, but now he wanted only Alana. In his mind he pictured how she would sit by his bedsided, holding his hand. Does she know that I need her right now?

"You alive bro?" A.J asked.

Nick popped his head out of the blankets and adjusted his eyes to the blurry figure that was standing at the end of the bed.

"What are you doing here?" Nick asked, his voice hoarse.

"Alana called me and asked me to stay here for a couple of days," A.J. replied. "How're ya feeling?"

"Like shit," he moaned "It feels like someone is twisting my stomach."

"Do you need anything?" his friend asked.

"Yah, a new stomach," Nick said, trying to joke.
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-Three by tree2583
"CSM Alana, you have a phone call on line three, CSM Alana, you have a phone call on line three," The fitting room associate, Betty paged.

Alana finished giving change to the cashier that was on register 27. She went into the CSM office behind the service desk, shut the door and picked up the call. She looked at the clock on the wall, 12:30 it read, it was just about lunch time.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Hey Alana, it's A.J.," he answered

"How's Nick?" She automatically asked.

"I see how you are, ask about the blonde one, but never ask about me," he said playfully.

"I'm sorry. How are you A.J.?" She started over.

"I'm not too bad, just really tired," he replied.

"How's Nick?" she asked again.

"He's okay, I guess. He's thrown up a few more times since you left this morning. I have had to clean up your bathroom, like, three times because he couldn't make it," he explained Why did I leave Nick all alone? I could've helped him. Maybe he needs me now? But I just can't...

"I left a waste basket near the bed for him this morning before I left," she said.

"Well, that was full, I had to empty that too," A.J said.

Alana closed her eyes. She hated it when Nick was sick. She was the only one that was supposed to take care of him. She didn't want anyone to do help him, but her- but she had to work. She knew that work wasn't the reason. The reason was..Nick. Taking care fo him meant to be closer to him. She this morning when he held her hand. I just don't know if I can't get used used to it again...

"He's asking for you, Alana," he continued "He wants you here and not me."

"I'm working," she stated as she put her elbows on the desk and leaned her head against them.

"He's a god damn pain in the ass when he's sick. He is acting like a baby," A.J said "It's starting to piss me off."

"I'm sorry A.J, but I couldn't get anyone else to keep him company. I just can't up and leave work," Alana said, rubbing her forehead with her hand.

She heard him sigh.

"I know you can't," he said quietly. But I guess things are changing...I just don't know how, but...

"Look in the cupboard next the the fridge and get a pan of chicken soup going, I will be home for lunch in ten minutes," she said finally.
~**********~

Alana dashed from her car into her house. She saw A.J. in the kitchen stirring a small pan of soup. She smiled at him.

"Hey girl," he greeted her.

She hugged him. She was so happy to see him. She was so glad that he had become sober. It would be just about three years this year.

"Nick's still sleeping," he said as she started to walk toward her bedroom.

She gave him a smile. "I'll be right back." I have to see my..friend..

Alana opened her door and saw Nick sleeping, wrapped like a caterpillar in a cocoon, within the blankets. She sat on the edge of the bed and fingered lightly through his blonde hair. God he needs a shower, she thought. She felt his forehead, it was still hot. He needed to take more Motrin to keep the fever down.

"Nicky," she whisphered, her lips close to his ear.

He jerked and opened his eyes. He saw her sitting next to him and he gave her a weak half smile. Is she here? Did she really come back because of me? Please..just stay...he begged in his thoughts, yet he knew it was useless to tell her.

"I'm home for lunch, then I gotta go back to work, okay?" she said softy.

He nodded and pushed some of the blankets off him.

"How about trying to eat something?" she asked.

He shook his head and took the Motrin and glass of water from her.

"You gotta have something in your stomach. Come on, A.J. made soup," Alana said as she pushed all the blankets off him.

Nick slowly got up and she tossed him a blue t-shirt to put on. She grabbed her brush from the dresser and brushed his hair because it was sticking up. He shooed the brush away from his head because he really didn't get a shit about what he looked like. I'm not a baby. I can stand for my own. I can't..get used that she cares about me so much. He walked slowly down the hall and sat down at the table carefully. A.J. was sitting across from him, playing with his pack of cigarettes and lighter.

Nick looked at the pack. He would do just about anything for a cigarette. He hadn't had one since before he went to bed the night before. He wasn't sure if he could handle the smoke along with being sick. Oh fuck it, he thought to himself and grabbed a cigarette from A.J's pack, then going out on the porch.

Alana walked into the kitchen and looked at A.J.

"Where'd he go?" she asked.

A.J. pointed to the sliding glass door. She saw him outside lighting a cigarette. She rolled her eyes and went outside on the porch.

Nick turned around to the sound of the door closing. He saw her as he took a long drag, letting the smoke out of his mouth and nose.

"You shouldn't be smoking, you're sick," she said grabbing the lit cigarette from his hand and putting it out on the wood railing.

"But Lana," he whined "I haven't had one since last night."

She grabbed his arm and pulled him inside. "You don't need one right now, you are sick."

He sat in the chair next to A.J.as she put a bowl of soup in front of him along with some saltine crackers and a glass of ginger ale.

"Eat," she commanded.

He looked at her with big eyes, thought about protesting, but realized she was right.

He fiddled with the spoon and looked at the soup. It didn't look to appetizing to him.

"You have to eat Nick," Alana said as she made herself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Nick munched on a few crackers and ate about half of the soup, but the entire glass of ginger ale was gone. He pushed the bowl away and sat back in the chair.

"Happy?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Stop being a whine-ass," A.J. said as he took a bite of the sandwich Alana made for him. It was turkey and cheese with lettuce and tomato on white bread. "You're lucky she came home for lunch. She has to go back to work in 20 minutes. Be nice or go back to bed."

Nick got up and went back down the hall to the bedroom. He hated being sick. He was always mean and grumpy. He didn't want A.J. to be here, he wanted Alana. He crawled back into bed and fell back asleep. She won't stay anyways. I want her here, but what..what does she want? When can I tell her what I feel? Probably never...or maybe?

Alana finished her sandwich and started to pick up the kitchen, but A.J. stopped her.

"Leave it," he said "I get it later."

She raised her eyebrows questionably.

"Don't worry about blondie," he said "He will be just fine. You just go back to work and I'll see you when you get home dear."

She laughed and hugged him before she left. Why do I still have a feeling that I need to be there for Nick? That he needs me?
~**********~

Nick covered his mouth as he quickly got out of bed and ran to the bathroom. It had only been an hour since Alana had left. She didn't get home from work until 3:30 p.m. and it was only 1:30 p.m.

He heaved into the toliet for what seemed like the hundredth time. He couldn't keep anything down. He propped his head on the edge of the toliet and closed his eyes to try to block out the feeling of his stomach churning.

A.J. peered into Alana's bedroom about ten minutes later and didn't see Nick in bed. He saw the bathroom light on and went in to see if he was there. He saw him leaning over the toliet, throwing up again.

"Aww man, can't you do that quietly?" A.J. asked covering his eyes with his hand.

"Shut up and throw me a towel," Nick said, with his head still over the toliet.

A.J. threw him a towel that was on the bathroom sink and watched him wipe his face.

"Dude, you probably need to go see a doctor," A.J. pointed out.

Nick shook his head in disagreement. "No fuckin' way."

"You've been throwing up like mad since this morning," A.J. taking out his cell phone. "I'm calling Alana and telling her that I'm taking you to the doctors."

The best that A.J. could do for a doctor's appointment for was 4:00 that afternoon. This meant that Alana could take him and A.J. didn't have to listen to him complain.

Nick was sitting in the living room chair at 3:15 when she came home. He was watching cartoons. He was still in the same clothes that he had on the night before. He looked up her and gave her a small smile.

A.J. was reading a Sports Illustrated magazine. He was wearing dark blue jeans and a black fitted t-shirt with a silver picture on it.

"Did you clean up at all Nick?" Alana asked.

He shook his head no.

"Go jump in the shower, we have to leave in fifteen minutes," she said.

He grumbled something under his breath and went down the hall toward her room.

"I swear I feel like I'm his mother sometimes," she said to A.J. "He's fuckin' 25 years old and doesn't know how to do anthing without having someone to tell him what do to."

A.J. put down his magazine on the coffee table.

"But he listens to you," he said. Where are we going from here? There's something different about how I feel about him. Is that right or wrong? She thought.
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-Four by tree2583
Nick sat next to Alana in the doctor's office waiting room, nervously tapping his foot up and down. She had taken him to her family physican, Dr. Francis Randall. She filled out the information that was needed on the clipboard, then handed it too him. He looked down at the paper. She listed all of his information that she knew about him.

All he had to do was fill out his health insurance information, emergency contact information, and health history. After he did that, he shoved the clipboard at Alana and ran for the bathroom for the upteenth time that day. About five minutes later, he came out, his face all wet from water that he had splashed on his face from a previous encounter with the toliet.

Nick sat back down and leaned his head against the wall. A nurse came out into the waiting room with a clipboard in her hand.

"Nick?" she asked politely.

He jerked his head in her direction and stood up.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Alana asked, looking up from the magazine she was reading.

"Might as well," he muttered, shoving his hands into his pocket.

The nurse led the two of them into an exam room. Alana sat in the chair across from the exam table, as Nick sat on the table. The nurse gave him a gown.

"You can leave on your undergarments, the doctor will be with you shortly," she said as she closed the door.

He pulled his green t-shirt over his head and tossed it on the floor. Alana watched him. She liked his tattoos that on his chest. I'd love to touch these. I hadn't noticed them before..where were my eyes? He's so hot! He put the gown on and pulled off his light blue gym shorts and tossed them in the pile.

Dr. Randell light tapped on the door and came in.

"Well, Mr. Carter, what brings you here?" he asked. Dr. Randall aged in his early forties and had black hair with a few grays starting to show.

"I've been throwing up since 4:30 this morning," he answered quietly. "My head feels funny, I'm hot and achy and my stomach hurts."

He sounds like a baby, Alana thought, smiling to herself. He's so funny when he's sick.

Dr. Randall examed his throat, ears, listened to his breathing and heart. He then took some blood samples.

"Well, Nick, you have a mild case of the flu. But I am ordering some blood samples just to be sure. I will have the results tomorrow. Here is a couple prescriptions to help you stop throwing up and an anti-botic. I want to see you in my office next week for a follow-up," Dr. Randall said, giving him the slips. Thank God, it's just the flu! Alana thought and fought with the temptation to run to Nick and hug him tightly.
*~~~~~~~~~~*

Alana pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot. She was going to run in quickly and get his prescriptions filled because Dr. Randall told him to take them as soon as he could. Nick had the passenger's seat reclined and his eyes were closed. I came home to be with her and not to make her run errands for me

"Are you coming in with me or what?" she asked as she pulled into a parking spot.

He cocked his head towards her and opened his eyes.

"I'll stay in the car," he answered. "There are too many people here and Frank isn't around."

Alana totally forgot about that she was in public with Nick. She treated him like a 'normal person. She actually forgot that he was a pop start most of the time. He was just 'Nick' to her.

She got out and locked the doors, leaving her keys inside. She ran into Wal-Mart and quickly got the prescription filled. She came back out and saw that her car did not have a mob of screaming fans like she pictured it might, but there wasn't.

Nick was still resting when she climbed back in the driver's seat of her car. He was so tired and all he wanted to do was sleep. Alana drove the ten minutes it took to get back to her house and parked her car in front of the garage; because A.J's car was inside.

She lived in a secluded area. Not many houses were around, which was always an advantage to Nick. He loved where her house was located. It had a lot of trees around the front of the yard, so it was very private. The paved driveway was set back from the road quite a bit and the four acres she owned was perfect for what she had done to her yard-flower gardens all over the place.
~**********~

When they went into the house, Nick plopped down at the kitchen table and rested his head on his arms. Alana found A.J. fast asleep in the extra bedroom with his head phones on. She poured water into a glass and set it in front of Nick, along with his medicines that were prescribed to him. He hesitated at first, then took them willingly. He didn't want to be sick, he hated being a pain in the ass.

He glanced at the clock that hung above the kitchen stove. It read 5:45p.m. He wasn't sure if he was hungry, but considered eating something.

"Alana?" he asked.

"What do you need Nick?" she answered as she brought a basket of clean folded laundry out and set it on a kitchen chair.

"Got anything good to eat? I'm kinda hungry," he said quietly.

She smiled and ruffled his hair with her fingers as she passed him to the refridgerator. Does it really feel like..home?
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-Five by tree2583
Alana woke up the next morning, to her alarm going off. It was 4:30 a.m. She turned on the side lamp as she sat up and stretched her body. She looked over at Nick. He was sleeping peacefully on the other side of the bed. She got up and sat on the other side of her bed and rubbed his bare arm. He moved a little, then shifted back into a deep sleep. There's no use for me to wake up. She'll be gone soon. I just can't keep getting my hopes up...with hopes that she...that she really wants to stay here with me? She didn't want to leave him today, but she knew that he was in good hands with A.J.

She took her shower and dressed in tan pants, a green tank top, and some sandels. She piled her damp hair on the top of her head and didn't bother with any makeup. She had the next few days off after she worked today. When she came out of the bathroom, she saw Nick, sitting up on the bed, talking on his cell phone. Who was calling him this early in the morning? she thought.

Nick hung up his phone. He really didn't want to hear about his friends partying it up with his ex-girlfriend, Paris. That meant more rumors would be flying around, more phone calls that he didn't want to deal with. He was so exhausted and still wanted to sleep. Alana sat down next to him. He gave her a small smile and handed her his cell phone. I thought I could handle everything...but it's good to know that she helps me...

"How are you feeling this morning?" she asked as she turned off his phone and put it in the top drawer of the side end table, that was next to the bed.

"Eh, a little better, I guess," he answered, as he shrugged his shoulders. "I'm sorry for being such a pain in the ass."

"It's okay, just don't give A.J. a hard time today," she said "I have to work until 6:30 tonight. I am pulling a 12 1/2 hour day today."

Nick raised his eyebrows at her. "Isn't that how you ended up in the hospital?" he asked. Why does she have to work so hard? Is it because of the money situation? She could at least take some time off when I'm here, but she won't...she's so independent...I just want to take care of her as much as she takes of me.

"Don't you worry about me, I am just fine. You just concentrate on getting better," she answered.

"Okay, I'm gonna go back to bed. I'm still really tired," he said.

Alana wrapped her arms around his bare waist and gave him a hug for the first time since he came back from Los Angeles. He embraced her back and buried his face in her neck. He took a deep breath in and relaxed himself against her. Nick planted a small kiss on the inside of her neck and loosened his grip. Alana kissed his cheek as he snuggled back under the covers. And now you're going? After doing this to me? What I've wanted for for so long? Why do you have to leave?

"I'm sending A.J. home tonight," she whisphered in his ear "I'll see you tonight."

He smiled and closed his eyes, falling fast asleep.
~**********~

Come on Alana, you need to concentrate! You have to finish the this paperwork before you go home! Alana tried to concentrate on her work, but her mind was somewhere else.

Her thoughts were still stuck from this morning; from the moment when she felt his warmth. She felt like every second of that moment was coming back to her right now. The touch of his soft skin, sound of his heartbeat....But the most vibrant memory was his kiss-even thought it was just a it was just a little one. But this time, it felt different. It was not like it was just a friendly kiss.

A light tingle ran right down through her body as she mistyped a few words on the computer screen in front of her. But she didn't care about that. What are a few typos when I can sit here and day dream about my best friend? She knew it wasn't, maybe it really was okay to think about him in this way, but no matter that, she just couldn't stop.

What if he had kissed me again? I would have just given in, I guess. I can't resist him. How can any girl resist him? Actually, she was a little shocked by her self confession, but after times of being so single....
~**********~

Nick had woken up at 3:00 that afternoon. He was showered and had actually dressed in different clothing-a pair of grey pajama pants, and a bright red fitted t-shirt. He had left his face unshaven because he was just plain lazy.

It was 6:00 p.m and he was sitting on the couch in the living room in front of the television. He was covered in a blanket, playing his play station 2. He had taken his medicine when he was supposed it and was starting to feel better. A.J. had left at 5:30p.m. to go back home to Orlando so he could enjoy the rest of his break.

Nick put his controller down on the coffee table and closed his eyes. The next thing he knew, he heard the door close from the kitchen. He jerked his head and opened his eyes. It was 6:45 p.m. Alana was home. She came into the living room and sat on the couch next to him. She looked tired from work.

"Hi," she greeted him.

"Hey, how was work?" he asked.

"Tiring, busy," she answered as she put her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. It's so good to be back home. Back to you...
~**********~

The next two weeks flew by quickly. Nick was getting his stuff together at the last minute, throwing stuff into two suitecases and three duffle bags that were layed out on the living room floor. Alana was trying to fold his clothes as he threw them at her. He had a cigarrette in his mouth as he shoved his laptop in a duffel bag. She hated when he smoked in her house, but she didn't care today, because he had to leave in a half an hour.

"Do you have your pillow?" she asked, folding up a pair of jeans and throwing them into the suitecase as she zipped it shut.

"Oh fuck!" he yelled from the other end of the house.

A few minutes later, he came out with his pillow, with her blue satin pillow case on it. At least he'll have a piece from home where ever he is, Alana thought as she helped him finish up packing.

Frank was waiting in the driveway. He was driving Nick to Orlando, where he and the guys would spend the next couple of months putting finishing touches on their new Album. Granted he was only an hour and a half away, he wouldn't have time to come back home to visit.

Time seemed to pass quickly because before she knew it, Frank was getting all of Nick's luggage into his jeep. Frank climbed into the driver's side and waited for him.

Alana just looked at Nick. It was nice to have him home for a while, but he always left. That's what he did. He would stay for a while, then pack up and leave again. She always hated saying good bye to him. Stay, she thought to herself, please stay, don't leave me again.

Nick didn't know what to do or say. He hated saying good bye to his best friend. She was always there for him when he came home. It didn't matter what the situation was, she was always there for him.

He reached for her and embraced her in a long hug. Her arms wound around his neck as she pressed her body against his. He could feel tears from her eyes on his neck as he held her tighter.

"I have to go Lana," he whisphered as he loosened his grip. But I don't want to go...but I have to...God, this hurts...this really hurts...

She let go of him completely and wiped her eyes. She watched him as he started to climb into the passenger side of Frank's jeep. She just couldn't let him go, not just yet.

"Nick! Wait!," she cried. I know maybe it won't be right, but I want to do this right now...I have to do this right now...

He turned around quickly as she ran down to the opened passenger door of the jeep. She took the collar of his blue polo shirt in her hands and pressed her lips to his. He jerked back surprised, but fell right into the kiss. Is this really happening now? It feels more than real... He kissed her back, something she thought that he would never do. Nick cupped her face with his hands and swept his tongue across her lower lip. He kissed her, gently and slowly, as she let him into her mouth. They both savored every moment.

She slowly broke the kiss and looked at him. He smiled, then she smiled back. He cupped her face again and pressed a small kiss to her lips again.

"I'll call you," he whisphered, smiling. Could this finally mean that she feels something for me? I wish this had happened earlier...
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-Six by tree2583
A week and a half went by and Nick hadn't called Alana. She knew he would call evenutally, but she didn't want to play the waiting game. I know he's working hard, but I just have to see him...

She had just finished another 12 hour day at Wal-Mart. It was Friday and she had taken the next few weeks off for vacation. She had plans to drive out to Orlando and see Nick. She didn't know why she was doing it, considering that she hardly ever went anywhere for him. Maybe I should go and see him more often? Or is this just an effect of the kiss?Yeah, he's an amazing kisser....

Alana had packed a suitecase and duffle bag the night before and put it in her car before she left for work. Nick always left her information before he left for extended periods of time. He always left her information of what hotel he was staying at, the phone number and certain places that he would be at during his stay. When Nick left her information this time, he left her the hotel, the room number, and the address of the studio. I think it's a good idea to go and see him. I want to see him. What would be a better vacation than spending a few days...with a hot guy...who's also my best friend? Alana felt a little confused about what she was thinking, but still...

Alana pulled out of the Wa-Mart parking lot at 6:15 p.m. It took an hour and a half to get to Orlando. She was estimating that she would get there around 7:30 to 8:00 p.m. She pulled onto the interstate and anticipated the drive to Orlando
~**********~

The five Backstreet Boys were still in the studio recording. They had gotten there at 10:00 that morning and it was now almost 7:30. Nick was getting antsy. He didn't have a big attention span. He was hungry and tired. He just wanted to go back to his hotel room, order some room service and then go to bed. They were pulling twelve to fifteen hour days for the last week and a half. He still hadn't gotten a chance to call Alana because everytime he got back to his hotel, he would crash on the bed and fall asleep. He had wanted to call her. Yes, the tight schedule was his excuse, but there was something else. He just couldn't stop to think about her. That kiss was stil lingering in his memories. And when I'll hear her voice on the phone...I know that I won't have the strength to talk her, it will only make me miss her more. I want her...Why did I realize that only now?

Alana had called Frank and told him that she was coming to see Nick and the guys. He told her that he would meet her in the parking lot in the back of the studio. She parked her car right next to a lamp post and got out, after locking her doors.

Frank smiled at her and gave her a friendly hug. He's such a nice guy. I am so glad that he looks out for Nick... He made sure that she had her special pass so that she wouldn't get asked questions.

"They are still recording. They have been here since 10 this morning and haven't had a dinner break, so maybe this will give them one," Frank said as he led her up the stairs toward the studio.

Alana was amazed at everything she saw. She had never been to the studio and seen Nick record, yet any of the other guys either. She was in awe when she went into the booth where she could watch them sing. No wonder why I don't come and see Nick, let alone the other guys...this is way too much...

"Alana, this is Johnny Wright, the boys manager," Frank said, introducing them. "Johnny, this is Alana Patterson, Nick's friend." They shook hands.

"Well this is the infamous Alana that keeps Nick sane," Johnny said smiling. Yepp, that's me, I keep him sane....and drive myself nuts...

Alana gave him a small smile and looked out in the studio. She saw Nick and Kevin talking. It looked like Kevin was giving him a lecture. She watched as Nick threw his hands up in the air, take his headphones off and walk out the side door.

"Okay boys, Let's call it a night. Be here at 1 tomorrow afternoon. That will give you all sometime to get some rest," Johnny said through the microphone.

She watched as all the other guys packed up their stuff and wander out the same door that Nick had stormed out ten minutes before. She followed Frank down a flight of stairs and to a door.

"This is where he goes when he and Kevin have disagreements, " Frank said. "I'll be out by the car when you are both ready to leave."

Alana tapped on the door lightly.

"Get the fuck away!" she heard him yell "I don't want to talk to anyone!"

She looked a bit shocked when she heard that come from him and then looked at Frank.

"He's really stressed out," he said "He hasn't been getting a lot of sleep."

Alana opened the door and saw him laying on a couch by the window with a pillow over his head. The room was small, but cozy. She saw an ash tray on the table next to the couch filled with cigarrette butts.

Nick was wearing blue jeans that had huge holes in the knees, a black long-sleeved fitted plain shirt and black boots. He pulled back the pillow from his head to see who walked in the room. Alana stood a few feet from the closed door.

"Lana," he breathed as he saw her.

He quickly got up from the couch and stood there hesitate for a minute. He didn't know if he should hug her or what.

"What are you doing here?" he asked quietly.

"I came to see you," she answered in a small voice.

"But you never..." he started to say.

Alana walked and stood right in front of him. She put finger to his lips to silence him.

"I know," she said "So don't get used to it."

He smiled, then pulled her into a big hug. It felt so good to have her in his arms again. He let go of her and sat back down on the couch. I'm so amazed that she came. She didn't have to...did she come because she missed me or what? And what if she only came to say that this kiss was a mistake?

"Are you ready to eat? Frank said you haven't eaten today," Alana said.

"I gotta go back up to the studio," he said, running his hands over his face and through his messed blonde hair.

"Johnny called you off until 1 tomorrow afternoon," she answered. Nick was cheering silently. I'll have a nice evening with my best friend...
~**********~

Alana let Frank drive her car to the hotel. He parked it in the underground parking garage so the chances of fans being down there were slim. Nick got out and instantly lit up a cigarette. Frank emptied her trunk and carried her luggage up to his room. Nick leaned against the garage wall and let out a long puff of smoke.

Alana leaned up against the wall next to him and watched him take another long drag, the smoke coming out of his nose and mouth. She reached over and took the cigarrette from his hand and tossed it out in the parking lot.

He raised his eyebrows at her. She acts like she's my mother...what am I thinking? She just wants to take care of me. She stood in front of him and smoothed out his shirt. Nick wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close to him. She rested her head against his chest as he put his chin on her head.

"Thank you," he whisphered.

"For what?" she asked looking up at him, and almost drowning into his ocean blue eyes. I could stay like this..forever?

"For coming out to see me," he answered. "it feels nice."

"Like I said before, don't get used to it," Alana commented, jokingly. But I could get used to you.
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-Seven by tree2583
Nick unlocked his hotel room and shut the door behind Alana. He had a penthouse suite. It had one bedroom with a king size bed. There was a separate kitchenette, dining room and living room; all the accomodations of a home-away-from-home. There was a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi in one corner and a garden tub in the other. She was looking at every corner, examining everything.

He laughed at her as he kicked off his shoes and sat on the plush living room couch. He picked up the hotel phone and called for room service.

"I cannot believe this room!" she cried excitiedly "Holy Shit! Look at this view!" She walked onto the terrace for a minute and then came back in. She's so cute when she gets excited...

She sat on the couch next to him and threw her sandels at the door.

"Okay," she said calmly "I got that out of my system." I would like to get something esle outta my system too... Her eyes gazed at Nick as she looked and down his body.

There was a knock at the door and a voice that said "Room Serivce." Nick got up, peered through the peephole then unlocked the door. A cart was wheeled in with a big silver dish of food with a cover and a bucket chilling some wine. He pulled out his wallet and fished out a ten dollar bill, tipping the server.

Nick grabbed two wine glasses from the cabinet in the mini kitchenette and popped open the wine bottle. He poured two glasses and set them at the dining room table. Alana sat down across from him. She dished out some food onto both of their plates. Nick had ordered marinated steak dinners. They looked really expensive, but tasted delicious.
~**********~

After they had finished eating, Nick went out on the terrace to smoke a cigarette. Alana went into the bedroom and changed into her swim suite, which was a solid blue bikini. She wanted to try out the jacuzzi. He finished his cigarette and came back inside, shutting the door behind him. He heard the roar of the jacuzzi being started.

Nick peeled off his shirt as he walked into the bedroom. He saw Alana sitting comfortably in the jacuzzi.

"You coming in?" she asked, watching him as he started to undo his jeans. Her eyes watched his fingers as they unclasped the button and exposed his boxers, just a bit. Maybe if you let me help you...

"Yah," he answered "I'm gonna use the bathroom first."

He rummaged through his bag until he found a pair of shorts and then went into the bathroom. He came out a few minutes later. Alana knew that Nick was self conscienous about his appearance sometimes. She noticed that he never was with her. That's because she never made fun of him. She didn't have too. He was gorgeous no matter how he looked. I just can't take my eyes off him. I'm just gonna act like I'm not drooling. I guess a fan would kill for the chance to see him like that. But I can look at him as long as I want. He's my Nick...isn't he?

Nick got in and sat a few feet away from Alana. He closed his eyes and rested his head on the edge of the jacuzzi. Mmmm..just like a dream...the girl I want...is right here...half naked...I just have to keep myself from staring. He looked so relaxed for once. She moved her feet underwater so that they touched his. He opened his eyes and gave her a smile.

"So what did you think?" he asked, as he played footise back with her.

"'Bout what?" she asked. She was hoping that he wasn't going to ask her about what happened between them before he left.

"The studio," Nick answered as he smoothed his hair back with his wet hands. I know I can't ask what she thinks about me...it'd ruin the magic...

"It's big," she commented, laughing.

A little while later they both got out. Alana wrapped herself in the hotel provided big, white, fluffy hotel robe. Nick had wrapped a towel around his waist and went out on the terrace again to smoke. She settled herself comfortably on the king size bed. She was laying on her stomach at the end of the bed, facing the television, with her wine glass in her hand and had the wine bottle on the bedside table.

Nick sat on the couch after coming back inside. He was exhausted. His cell phone began to ring. It was on the coffee table in front of him. He didn't want to answer it. He didn't want to talk to anyone. It continued to ring. Out of curiousity, he flipped it opened to see who it was. It was his good friend Tony . The last time he had seen him was right before he got pulled over and arrested for drunk driving.

Tony had been Nick's friend for the past two years. He mostly called Nick when he was on the road. Tony had always been into partying and drinking hard. He always had a good time. Sometimes Nick felt as if Tony only used him for his fame and money.

"Hello?" Nick asked as he slouched back into the couch.

"Yo dude! What's up?" Tony asked.

"Not a damn thing. Just got back in from a long day," he answered. "What's up with you dawg?"

"Well, I'm in Orlando as we speak, with two beautiful ladies. I know you want to go out and party with us," Tony said.

Nick sighed. He didn't want to do anything and plus he had Alana here. He wanted to spend time with her.

"I dunno Ton," Nick said "I have an early day tomorrow." I really just want to curl up in bed with Lana...

"Ah come on Nick!" Tony whined "It's only 9:30p.m!"

"Not tonight dawg," he said "I'm tired."

"Then I am coming to you," Tony said.

Before Nick could say anything, there was dial tone on the other end of the line. He shut his cell phone shut and threw it across the room.

"God damnit!"he yelled.

Alana heard something hit the wall as she heard him yell. She got up and walked into the living room. She saw Nick picking up his clothes and shoving them into the closet.

"What's the matter?" she asked.

He threw another pile of clothes in the closet, then shut the door.

"Tony is coming over," he answered. Now my evening is ruined! It was going so good too...and now this...

"Who's Tony?" she asked as she watched him straighten up papers on the desk in the corner.
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-Eight by tree2583
Alana didn't like Tony the first time she saw him. She kept her distance after she saw him. He had black spikey hair, about 5'10", and stocky build. He had two women with him, one on each arm. One for him, and one for Nick, she assumed.

"Nicky boy," Tony said "This is Kristy."

The tall, skinny blonde was dressed in a bright red mini-dress that showed everything that she didn't have. She let go of Tony's arm and started to come on to Nick. Alana watched from a distance as Kristy playfully flirted with her best friend. Great, another Paris wanna-be...When is he gonna learn?

She didn't like it one bit. She watched Nick as he flirted back a little. She could tell that he was a little uncomfortable with the situation. His body language said it all. His wasn't relax and he looked stiff the way he was sitting next to Kristy on the couch. Alana was sitting at the dining room table away from them as the three of them talked, smoked, and drank a little.

"So who's the chick at the table?" Tony asked as he lit up another cigarrette.

"That's Alana," Nick answered as he moved Kristy's hand off his upper leg. I don't want to do this anymore. Girls like her don't phase me anymore. I've had enough of it for a while. And why should I take this chick if the girl I want is right in the other room?

He had changed into black faded jeans and a light grey button down shirt with a white t-shirt underneath.

"Oh that chick from your albums that you always bring with you. So I guess the chances of you getting lucky with Kristy tonight are slim," Tony said.

Kristy gave Nick a puppy dog face and he rolled his eyes.

"That's the last thing I need right now," he said as he took a sip of his drink.

Kristy began to wrap her arms around his neck and pulled him close, with her lips touching his ear.

"Let me give you a little preview," she whisphered in his ear.

Nick shivered at her words, then shrugged her away.

"No thanks," he said in a hoarse voice. Maybe you should go back to your street corner where you belong.

He got up and went into the dining room. Alana was sitting at the table reading a book. He pulled a chair up close to her and took her book away from her. Give that back...I was at the good part too...

"Aren't you supposed to be entertaining Ken and his Barbies out there?" She said in an annoyed voice as she looked at him. "He brought one for you to play with too. Why aren't you playing with yours?"

Nick gave her a sour look then looked back into the living room. Tony had both girls coming onto him. What a player, he thought.

Alana got up and headed toward the bedroom. She had thrown on a pair of black lounge pants and a white tank top, with her bathing suit top still underneath.

She turned on the television and went into the bathroom to wash her face. Nick got up from the table and followed her. Why did she just leave? Now I'm curious why she's so pissed off. He shut the bedroom door and saw that the bathroom door was opened. He stood in the doorway and watched her as she washed her face.

Alana rinsed off her face soap with the wet hotel washcloth and looked at him.

"What?" she asked as she dried her hands and face.

He stood in her way, she tried to move to the other side, but he blocked her still.

"Get out of the way," she said "Go play with your Barbie."

"Why play with Barbie, when I have the real thing right in front of me?" he said seductively.
~**********~
Chapter Twenty-Nine by tree2583
Alana just looked at him, speechless. She had waited for this moment for a long time, didn't she? She wanted him to touch her, to taste her; she wanted him for him. She couldn't believe he wanted her, that's what he meant right? But can I do this now? I..just want him, too...but he's a friend..a friend...I can't...

"Lana," Nick said, gently cupping her face with his hands. "Look at me hun."

She was hesitating for a moment, then looked up at him. He searched her eyes, trying to figure out what she was thinking. Just show me that you want me...just give me a sign and...you'll make me the happiest man in the world...

Alana didn't know what to say. She didn't know what to do. She was scared. Scared of her feelings for Nick. The ones which weren't purely friendly. She could feel all her feelings that she kept bottled up for him pour out all at once.

He caressed her cheek gently with the tips of his fingers then leaned down and kissed her lips softly. After pulling away, he looked at her again.

"Say something," he said, trying to break the silence. Just say that you want me...that you need me..

Tears welled up in her eyes as he looked at her still

"Let go of me," she whisphered. She knew she'd regret that she didn't do what she wanted, but the morals came up in her mind. I just can't fuck my..best friend...

Nick slowly let go of her and stepped out of her way. He watched her grab her jacket and walk out the hotel room. Why did she leave? I was so close to believing that she wants me... he thought. He took a few steps back. I hope I haven't ruined our friendship by this. If I can't have her as my girlfriend, then I still need her as my friend...my best friend...
~**********~

Alana ended up walking down the street a few blocks from the hotel. She needed to get away from Nick for a while to get her thoughts straight. She wanted him. What girl didn't? She just didn't want her privacy invaded. She didn't want people knowing her every move and seeing her picture in every magazine and on the Internet. But she wanted Nick. If I want him, I have to take him with all additions. But can I handle everything that comes with him? And does he want me too? Would all of this stop her?

Nick was laying on the couch in his hotel room with his pillow over his head. He had kicked out Tony and his two girls a little while before. He had also called Frank to keep on eye on Alana to see if she was okay.

Frank found her sitting on the curb a few blocks down. She had her chin resting on ber elbows like she was in deep thought about something. He pulled out his cell phone out of his coat pocket and dialed up Nick.

"Hello?" Nick mumbled.

"Hey boss," Frank said

"Did you find her?" Nick asked, his voice clearer.

"Yah," Frank answered. "She's a few blocks from the hotel. Don't worry, she's fine."

Frank heard Nick let out a sigh of relief.

"Is she coming back?" Nick asked in a quiet voice.

"I dunno," Frank answered again. "I haven't talked to her. Maybe this is something you should do boss. She's your friend."
~**********~

Nick threw on his black leather coat and walked into the elevator that Frank was waiting for him. It was really late, about 12:45 a.m. before he left. He walked side by side by his bodyguard, in which he also considered his friend.

They walked for about fifteen minutes, until Frank stopped and pointed. Nick looked and saw his best friend sitting on the curb of the sidewalk. He slowly walked up to where she was sitting and sat down beside her.

Alana knew he was there. She didn't say or do anything to acknowledge his presence. She just wanted to be left alone, didn't she?

Nick just sat there with her. Frank was sitting on a bench just enough in view to watch them, but also to give them some privacy. Nick didn't know what to do. This was his best friend, which whom he kind of just threw some of his hidden feelings at her. He didn't want to loose her.

Alana finally looked over at Nick. He was staring across the street at something. She waved her hand in the front of his face to get his attention. He came back to reality and looked at her.

"You have to get some sleep," she said quietly "You have to be in the studio in a few hours."

She got up and dusted off the back of her pants. Nick got up and caught up with her.

"That's all you have to say?" he asked.

"About what?" she commented.

"You just left. You just kinda kept me hanging and you didn't tell me where you were going," he said as he stood in front of her.

She took a deep breath and relxed herself. She really didn't want to have this discussion out on the street.

"I don't want to talk about it," she quietly.

Nick felt anger surge through his body.

"Goddamnit Alana!" he yelled "You never want to talk about anything that concerns us! I practically threw myself at you and then you left! I don't understand anymore!"

She didn't want to fight with him. She hated fighting with him. But that's what he was going to get, a fight

"You don't understand because you are never around to listen!" she hissed back. "Do you know how I feel when you leave? Do you know how I feel when I don't know when you're coming back? Can you honestly tell me that you know how it feels?"

Nick closed his eyes and rubbed his temples with his fingers. He saw tears stream down her face when he opened his eyes and looked at her.

"No, I don't understand if you don't tell me," he said quietly.

"It hurts Nick, it really hurts," Alana replied, sniffing.

He just stood there, not knowing what to do. He hated to see her hurting. He slowly pulled her into a hug. She let herself go when he pulled her body close to his. She started to cry. Nick buried his face in her neck as he felt tears form in his own eyes. Why is always so hard to get what you really want? Is there something I can do..to make Alana love me? He knew it hurt because he felt it all the time when he left her.
~**********~

Nick woke up hours later to his cell phone alarm going off in his ear. He grabbed it and looked at the time. It was Noon. He had to be down to the studio by 1:00 that afternoon. He looked over at Alana. She was snuggled up on the other side of the bed sleeping peacefully.

He rolled out of bed and went into the bathroom to get ready. Ten minutes later, he was out. Nick was dressed in blue jeans, a turquoise polo shirt and was putting on his white Nike sneakers as he sat back down on the bed.

Alana felt the bed move a little. She turned over and saw Nick all dressed and leaning down to tie his shoes.

"What time is it?" she asked yawning.

"Almost 12:30 p.m.," he answered. "Did you want to come down to the studio with me or what?"

She sat of and got out of bed.

"Let me jump in the shower then," she replied.

Nick waited for almost twenty minutes. He had ten minutes to get down to the studio before Kevin would kill him. Alana came out wearing low raise blue jeans, a fitted black t-shirt, and white sandals. Her hair was still wet and she didn't even bother with make-up. But for Nick she seemed just perfect. If there wasn't the rush, he could stare at her all day. He had thought that the desire to have her would fade away, but it didn't. With every minute he was getting evem more sure that he won't be able to stop thinking about her. I have never ever wanted someone as much as I want her.

Frank was waiting outside the door for them. As they walked outside the side of the hotel, a black limo was waiting, as were a big blob of people also.

"Get in," Nick said pushing her a little. "Hurry."

Alana climbed in quickly and saw that he was modded by a swarm of media and some fans with the door still opened.

"Nick, can you tell us when your next record is coming out?" a reporter asked, shoving a microphone in his face.

"Nick I love you!! I want to have your babies!" a fan screamed as she tried to touch him.

Frank pushed the mob of people away from the limo door so Nick could get on his way.Frank closed the door and got into the front seat with the limo driver. Nick was sprawled out on the seat, his head leaning on Alana's shoulder.

"See what I go through?" he asked, giving her a sheepish grin.

"Oh you love it," she answered.

It was true. Nick loved the attention from people, especially his fans; but not all the time. He hated having his personnel life invaded by the media and press.
~**********~
Chapter Thirty by tree2583
Nick ran up the stairs, skipping every other, inside the studio building, with Alana right behind him. He was late and Kevin was going to chew him out, he just knew it. He ran down the hall and into the studio at 1:15p.m. The other guys were all seated on their stools, ready to go.

"You're late Nick," Kevin said as he sat on his stool. "What was it this time?"

He gave Kevin an evil look and took his seat next to Brian and A.J.

Johhny was behind the glass and pushed the intercom so that he could talk to them.

"Okay boys, let's get rolling," Johhny said as he flicked a few buttons.

Alana quietly shut the door behind her and took a seat next to Johhny. He smiled at her and pointed at the glass.

"Have you ever heard them sing before?" he asked quietly

"Yah," she answered "Just not like this."

"Ah, you have seen them perform then?" Johnny assumed.

She shook her head no.

"Really?" Johhny asked. "How long have you known Nick and the guys?"

"Ten years," she answered.

"And you have never seen them perform?" he asked.

"Nope," she answered, yet again. "I try to stay out of Nick's pop star life. He's just Nick to me when he comes home." Maybe I'm just too afraid of his popstar life?

Johnny sat there and listened to Alana as they talked about how Nick was when he wasn't touring or recording. He then, turned his attention back to the Backstreet Boys. Alana and Johnny saw Kevin talking to Nick in the corner. Johnny switched on the intercom.

"God damnit Nick, what the hell is the matter with you today?" Kevin asked, his voice filled with anger. "We have a deadline to meet and we can't be screwing up all the time!" Yeah, to hell those deadlines! I'm havin bigger problems! Alana doesn't want me..but you're rambling about deadlines...

Nick rolled his eyes and started to walk back to his stool, but Kevin grabbed his arm. This made him mad.

"Get your head out of your ass!," Kevin growled.

Nick shook off his grip and glared at him. A.J. gently pulled Nick away from him.

"Smoke break," A.J. said steering Nick out of the studio, as they both went out the side door.

Alana was puzzled at her best friend's behavior. He never acted like that when the guys were together with her.What's going on with him?

"Nick's been edgy the last few days," Johnny said "And Kevin is not making it any better."

She sighed and got up and when down to find Nick and A.J. She walked down the stairs to the room that Frank had showed her. She saw that the door was opened and heard both of her friend's voices. She stayed back and listened to their converstation for a few minutes. I know its bad to eavesdrop, but I have to know...

"What is up with you lately man?" A.J asked as he sat down on the chair and lit up a cigarette, took a quick drag and handed it to his friend.

Nick inhaled deeply, then blowing the smoke out of this nose and mouth.

"I got a lot of shit on my mind that I need to sort out," he said as he took another long drag.

"We need to get this album finished today dude," A.J. said "I'm here if you want to talk about it after, but try to focus so we can chill later."

A.J. walked out of the room and saw Alana standing there.

"Hey girl," he said as he gave her a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

She walked in the room and saw Nick sitting on the couch smoking. He looked up at her and gave her a small smile.

"You guys sound great," she said quietly.

He gave her another smile, this time a bigger one. Alana sat down on the couch next to him and watched as he put out his cigarette butt in the ash tray that sat on the coffee table in front of him.

"So I'm guessing you heard that with Kevin," Nick said as he lit yet another cigarette.

"Yah, what is up with that? You hardly ever fight with the guys," she commented.

He let out a puff of smoke in front of him.

"We have to have all the recording done by tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m.," He said "Everything has to be perfect or we have to do it all over again. It's like this all the time."

"Do you want me to go back to the hotel?" She asked.

Nick raised an eyebrow at her. You're my favorite distraction. The only beautiful thing in this studio...

"Why?" he asked as he let out another puff.

"So you can concentrate," she answered. "I've noticed in the past day that I have been here, you're not into the music."

"Ha!" he remarked "I wonder why."

"I'm a distraction?" Alana asked giving him a sly smile.

Nick put out his cigarette then faced her.

"You have no idea," he answered, as he reached for his pack of cigarettes and lighter. You can't imagine how hard it is for me to fight the need to pull you closer.

She catch his hand in hers, before he could grab them and held his hand.

"Enlighten me Nick," she said softly.

He watched as she entwined her fingers with his. She looked at him, but he looked away for a second.

"We have to talk about it Nick," she said quietly.

He gulped and nodded in agreement.

"I'm going to go back to the hotel so you can get some work done. We'll talk after okay?" she said.

He nodded again. Alana leaned over and gave him a quick, soft kiss on the lips. Before she could pull away, he kissed her back. He cupped the side of her cheek with his hand and continued to kiss her. His tongue played with hers for a moment then he pulled back. If only wouldn't have work waiting for me...

"I'll see you later," she whisphered as she walked out the door. And you made sure I won't have the chance to stop thinking about you. Why did you wake those feelings again? If only you knew what I want...I want you to kiss me..and not stop...that's what I want.
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-One by tree2583
Nick unlocked his hotel door at 5:30 the next morning. They had completely finished recording their lastest album. They had just pulled a sixteen and a half hour day. He was really tired. Johnny had told them to take the next two days off to get rested up so they could have a meeting to discuss various things, one being a promotional tour in June and to start off their Tour in July. Then, they would start tour rehearsals.

He looked around the room, the sun was just starting to rise through the curtains. The living room was clean. His shoes were lined up neatly against the wall next to the closet. Looks like someone tried to sort out my stuff...how sweet of her to pay attention even the little things. He walked into the kitchen grabbed a bottle of water, drinking it down. He walked out on the terrace and smoked a cigarette before he decided to go to sleep.

He took of his sneakers and put them with the others near the closet and walked into the bedroom. Alana had left the door open and a light on in the bathroom. Nick went into the bathroom and stripped out of his clothing. He stepped into the shower and turned on the hot water. It felt good against his skin. He washed his hair and body, then let the water just soak up in his skin for a few minutes.

Alana woke up to the sound of the shower running. Was he finally back? she thought. She had waited up for him until 2:30 a.m., but went to bed because she was tired. She looked at the clock. It was still way too early and she was still tired. She layed back down against the pillows and proceeded to fall back asleep. My Nicky is finally back...

Nick got out of the shower and dried himself off. He threw on a pair of green boxers that were laying in the corner of the bathroom with a bunch of his other clothes. He quickly brushed his teeth and combed his hair. He walked out of the bathroom and saw Alana sleeping in the middle of the bed. She was wearing one of his t-shirts that a fan had given him days before. She must've waited for me, but was too tired...It feels so good to know that someone's there for you...has someone ever been there so much for me like her?

He pulled back the covers and got into bed. He slid his body so that he was snuggled up with hers. He wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him. He softly nuzzled her neck and closed his eyes, falling fast asleep. After everything I've done she's still here...if only she knew how much I need her...
~**********~

Alana woke up a few hours later. She felt Nick's arm around her waist and his body nestled close to hers. She looked at the clock that was on the nightstand next to the hotel bed. It read 11:45 a.m. She felt him breath into her neck as he slept.

"Nick," she whisphered as rubbed his forearm.

"Hmmmm....?" he mumbled sleepily.

"Can you move your arm so I can get up, please?" she asked.

Nick planted a soft kiss on her neck and moved his arm.

"Where are you going?" he asked as he snuggled under the covers, his eyes still closed.

"To make some coffee," she answered.

"Okay," he muttered as he fell back asleep.

Alana threw on the hotel robe, leaving it untied, and went into the kitchenette to make some coffee. She knew that Nick was going to sleep the day away so she decided that she would just probably laze around for the day.

She grabbed a cup of coffee and settled on the couch to watch some television. A few minutes later, there was a knock at the door. She set her cup down on the table and peered through the peephole of the hotel door. A.J. was standing outside the door with a box of Dunkin' Donuts.

She smiled at what he was wearing. He had on blue jeans and a bright yellow fitted t-shirt with an obsence picture on it. He had on a black knit cap on his head and his big black sunglasses. She opened the door and let him in, locking it back up behind him.

"Mornin' beautiful," A.J greeted setting the box on the dining room table.

Alana gave him a big hug. She was grateful to have him in her life as a friend. They had a unquie friendship.

"Where's Nicky boy?" he asked as he took the cup of coffee she offered him.

"Sleeping," she answered as she grabbed a peanut donut and proceeded to nibble at it.

"Well, he needs to get up, we're gonna go have some fun," A.J. said eating a boston creme. "And you need to get dressed."

Alana went into the bedroom and closed the door behind her. Nick was sprawled out on the bed with the covers wrapped inbetween his legs, his feet poking out. She pulled the covers from the end of the bed, but he held onto to them.

"I don't wanna get up!" he whined as he pulled tighter.

"A.J.'s here," she said as she pulled the covers out of his grasp "Get up and get dressed, we are going out."
~**********~

After a half hour of fighting to stay in bed, Nick had finally got dressed. He had thrown on a pair of green cargo shorts, a white t-shirt and a zip-up black hoodie. He threw on a black baseball hat and white sneakers.

Alana was dressed in jean capris, a very fitted orange tank top that was open in the back, except for a tie that held it together, and brown wedge sandals. She pulled back her hair in a barrette and put on a little make-up.

The two guys waited patiently as she got ready. She looked in the mirror. She actually had taken the time to look good; for Nick? Maybe. She smiled at herself and walked out to the living room where they were waiting.

Nick's jaw almost dropped when he saw the shirt she was wearing. He didn't know she owned stuff like that. Why didn't she wear stuff like that more often? he thought Damn, she looks good!

"Close your mouth Nick," she said as A.J. held the door for her.

A.J. laughed as they went downstairs to the lobby to meet Brian.
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-Two by tree2583
Nick stared at Alana's bare back as the group of friends walked down the street. If only I could touch her, but not now...what would the guys think?

Frank and a couple of the other guys' bodyguards had accompanied them. She was walking next to Brian, while A.J. was walking next to Nick.

He saw that she had a tattoo on her lower back. It was a tribal design with an angel fish in the middle and on the ends. It was the span of her entire lower back and had a lot of detail and color. He had never noticed it, not even the night before when they were in the jacuzzi when she had on her two-piece bathing suit. Why didn't I notice that before? I think it looks sexy...

A.J. slapped his shoulder and got his attention.

"Stop staring," he whisphered "It's not nice."

Nick looked over at his friend and noticed that he was staring at her backside too. Keep your eyes to yourself buddy...she's spoken for.


He wacked the back of A.J.'s head.

"Lana!" he tattled "A.J's lookin' at your ass!"

She turned around and laughed at them, as did Brian.

"You started it!" A.J. protested pointing at Nick.

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"Did not!"

"Now boys!" Alana said, breaking up the playful fight between the two of them. "No need to fight over my ass, there is plenty to go around."

They all laughed as they walked into the entrance of the strip mall.
~**********~

The four friends split up. A.J. went with Brian and Nick went with Alana. They had all agreed to meet up in two hours for something to eat.

Alana stood in front of Victoria's Secert, then looked at Nick and Frank. Nick raised his eyebrows in excitement and followed her, with Frank not far behind. Mmm...I'd love to see her in some sexy underwear...though she's makes me hot no matter what she wears. She starting to browse the table where there were thongs on sale: Buy 3 for $25. He watched her pick up one, look at it and then another. Nick wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close to him.

"Nick," she breathed in his ear as she put the pair of pink lace thongs back on the table. "What are you doing?"

He ran his hands over her bare back softly. She closed her eyes and pressed her face into his neck. His hands felt good on her back. Does he know what his touch does to me? I can't let him see that I want him...He ran his fingers lightly over her lower back and then rested them on her hips, just above her jeans.

"Get whatever you want," he whisphered in her ear, sending tingles down her body. "I got it." And maybe someday I'll see you in it...

She pulled back from him a bit and looked at him.

"Why?" she asked. "I have my own money."

"Because I said so," Nick answered as he held her close to him again.

Alana pulled away from him, but he caught her hand in his. She wasn't used to this much attention from him. She let him take her hand. He entwined his fingers through hers and walked around the store hand in hand. This is too good to be true...Is this real?
~**********~

Alana looked at the bag she was carrying from Victoria Secrets. She felt kind of guilty letting Nick pay for everything, but he insisted. She had picked up six new pair of underwear, three new bras, and a silk short nightgown, all with his help of course.

He had his arm wrapped around her waist and was talking on his cell phone to Brian. Frank was walking behind them. Not many people noticed Nick today for some reason. Was it because he was wearing a hat or that it was a Monday afternoon and everyone was either working or in school?

He led her into a pricey clothing store and to the men's section. He was still talking to Brian. She walked to the wall of jeans and picked up a pair of dark blue ones and looked at them. Nick smiled at her as he nodded in agreement.

"No, we're over at LaRonzo's. I'm gonna buy some new clothes," Nick said in his cell phone as he picked up a lavendar shirt and gave it to Alana.

He wandered over to the dresser section of the men's department and she followed behind him with the two clothing items in her arms. He picked up a pair of black dress slacks in his size, and then walked over to a rack of dressy shirts.

"You own too much black," Alana said, taking the pants out of his hands and replacing them with a dark gray pair.

He smiled and pulled her close to him and gave her a small kiss on her lips. She was stunned for a minute, then followed him as he picked up a soft blue button down dress shirt and a matching sport coat to match the gray pants. He went over to the tie rack.

"Which one?" he asked.

"Do you have a special occasion that you need to go to or something?" she asked, picking up a striped blue tie that matched his shirt.

"Yes, We are taking you out to dinner tonight. So we have to find you a dress," Nick answered putting the tie over his shoulder.

"But you've already spent too much on me already!" she protested.

And I want to keep spending more on you. It's not about the bucks, its about you baby...

He put his fingertips on her lips to silence her.

"Who's we?" she asked beneath his fingers.

He laughed at her and ran his hand down the side of her face.

The guys and I are all going out to dinner. They are bringing their other halves. Well, A.J. and Howie and bringing dates. I want to bring you," he answered

"But..." she started to say.

Nick silenced her this time by pressing his lips to hers again. She openedly invited his awaiting tounge into her mouth. He rested his hands on her hips as she wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him closer to her and kissed him back. He's such an amazing kisser.......I know I'm crossing over the line of ''just friends''...but who the hell cares?

"Ahem!" a voice said loudly, causing them to break apart quickly.

He looked and saw A.J. and Brian. Alana could feel her face turn red with embarassment. Nick picked up his pile of clothes and grabbed her hand, heading up to cash out.

A.J. raised his eyebrows at Brian.

"You know about that?" A.J. asked as they followed.

"Nope, not a clue," Brian answered.
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-Three by tree2583
Nick stood in front of a women's clothing store called Enchantment. A.J. and Brian had gone into a sport's shop a few stores down. Alana didn't want to go in because she knew that he would buy her a dress for that night.

"I don't want you to buy me anything esle. You've bought me enough," she said as she pulled him in the other direction. I'm not used to being spoiled....

"You don't have a dress," Nick pointed out, pulling her into the store.

"But Nick...." she whined "You have spent me too much money on me already." But that comes with you, doesn't it?

He pulled her close to him with his lips close to hers, but didn't kiss her.

"I want to buy you things," he whisphered.

"You've bought me enough," she whisphered back.

He pressed a soft kiss to her lips then pulled back again.

"Please Lana?" he asked.

She gave him to him. She always did. He wanted to buy her things. Did he buy things for his past girlfriends? Is that what she was to him? She had no idea.

"Fine," she agreed.

They both browsed around until Nick picked out a beautiful dress with an open back in blue silk It looked to come down to about her knees. It was opened in the back and had a veck neck opening in the front.

"Try this on," he said as he ushered her to the dressing room.

Alana undressed quickly and tried on the dress. It was a perfect fit. It hugged her every curve. Boy, is he gonna love this, she thought as she admired herself.

She got dressed in her clothes and hung the dress back on the hanger. She looked at the tag, just to see if she could afford it. It was $356.98. She gulped. I can't afford this, not with the pay I get at Wal-Mart. When she came out, she saw that he had matching shoes and accessories to go with it.

"It fits, right?" Nick asked as she gave him the dress.

Alana nodded and looked at all the stuff that he was going to get with it.

"What's the matter?" he asked as they went up to the register.

"It's too much Nick," she said. "You're buying me too much."

He put the things on the counter and handed the cashier his credit card, but pulled her a side for a moment.

"I told you, we're going out. You deserve to look good tonight," he said.

He signed the slip and grabbed the bag as they headed out to meet Brian and A.J.
~**********~

They got back to the hotel and Frank had taken up their purchases to their room.

"The limo is picking us up at 7:30p.m.," Nick said as he lit up a cigarette.

Alana looked at the clock. It was 3:30p.m.

"Yah?" she asked "That's four hours away."

"Leighann and Kristen are coming up to get you in 15 minutes," he answered, giving her a sly smile.

"Why??" she asked, knowing that she was not going to like his answer.

"They have appointments down the street to get their hair and nails or whatever shit done for tonight. Kristen called me asked if they could bring you," Nick answered.

She sighed.

"I don't like having my hair and nails done Nick," she whined as she sat on the couch next to him.

He wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her face close to hers.

"You deserve to get pampered," he said. "Go have fun with the girls."

Nick was right. She hadn't been pampered since her brother got married two years ago. She also hadn't had an outing with any of her female friends in a very long time.

There was a knock on the door a few minutes later. He leaned over and gave her a quick hug and a small peck on the lips before leaving.

"I'll see you at 7:30," he said.
~**********~

Alana looked at herself in the mirror. She had put on the dress, shoes, and accessories that Nick had bought her. Her hair was had gotten trimmed up. The hair stylest also added red brown low lights to her hair. It was down with soft curls around her shoulders. Her make-up was dramatic. She had smokey eyes and a soft lipstick on. She didn't look like herself. I didn't know I could look this good. Should I do this more often? Will Nick like it?

Nick was waiting downstairs in the lounge with Frank. Alana stepped out of the elevator and walked into the lounge. She saw the two men standing at the bar talking. Frank pooked Nick in the side to get his attention when she walked in. His mouth literally dropped when he saw her.

Alana stood in front of him.

"You clean up good," she said casually as she ran her hand down his gray jacket.

He pulled her close to him and wrapped one arm around her waist, possessively.

"Wow," he whisphered in her ear. "You look great. I can't wait to show you off."

She smiled. It felt nice to hear him give her a compliment. She had a feeling that she would be receiving a lot of them tonight.

He planted a small kiss on her cheek and held out his arm. She took it and Frank led them out to the limo that was waiting in the front of the hotel.

The limo ride to the restaurant was about a half hour. Alana sat next to Nick and Frank was sitting in the front with the driver.

"I'm gonna warn your now," Nick said as the limo came to a slow stop.

"About what?" Alana asked.

"There is probably a lot of people out there with cameras," he said.

She looked at him and then got really nervous. This is what she didn't want. She didn't want the whole world to know who she was.

She shook her head back and forth so that her curls shook.

"No. No. No," she said firmly. "I'm not going out there."

Nick sighed. He knew that she wanted to stay out of the spotlight, but he wanted to show her off to everyone.

"Alana, I want to show you off," he said.

"Yah to the world?" she asked sarcastically.

"Yes," he said seriously.

She looked at him and then looked outside through the tinted black window. There were cameras flashing furiously. It made her more nervous.

"This is your world Nick," she said quietly. "It's not mine. Look at me. This isn't me."

He looked at her. He wanted her. He wanted her to be with him and by his side.

"I want you in my world Lana," he whisphered.
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-Four by tree2583
Alana looked at him. She had to make sure she heard him right. Am I hearing things?

"What did you say?" she asked her voice hoarse.

Nick rubbed his hands over his face and looked at her.

"I want you," he repeated. Do you want me as much as I want you? I need to know, that’s why I am telling you!

Her eyes searched his. He was finally telling her how he felt about her. She pulled him close to her by his tie, so that his lips were only inches from his. It was her turn. He had done it, so she had too.

"Only me?" she asked.

Nick gave her a big smile. He knew that Alana didn't get to the point when she was trying to express how she felt. She always played around the subject before she got to the point.

"Well, there is Brian, Kevin, Howie and A.J.....," he said, still smiling.

She shut him up as she pressed her lips to his. He cupped the side of her face as he kissed her back. He opened his mouth and caught her tongue with his. She wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him closer to her.

As Nick continued to kiss her, his cell phone rang. Who the fuck that is that?!? I’m too busy kissing the woman of my dreams…finally! He tried to ignore it, but after the third ring, Alana broke away from him to let him answer it.

"Hello?" he asked, as he caught his breath.

"Yo! What's the hold up dude?" A.J. asked. "We're already in the restaurant. Where are you guys?"

Nick smiled and looked over at Alana. She’s so beautiful…She was using the limo mirror to check her appearance to make sure she still looked alright.

"We'll be in, in, like five minutes," he answered.
He shut his phone and put it back in his pants pocket.

"Ready?" he asked as he proceeded to get out.

"As ready as I'll ever be," she answered, taking his extended hand.
~**********~

Alana had never gotten so much attention or compliments from so many different people in her entire life. Nick didn't let her leave his side once. When they had walked into the restaurant, Emeril's, he was stopped for a few autographs and a ton of pictures, most of which is posed with her. He kept her hand in his as they found their table in the back room with the others.

"It's about time," Howie said, looking at Nick, then at Alana.

"Wow girl," A.J. said "You look amazing."

She blushed and gave him a small smile. Brian, Kevin and Howie also gave her a few compliments. Nick pulled out her chair for her and helped her sit. She was sitting next to LeighAnn and Nick.

Dinner was brought out a few minutes later. The first course was salad. The waiters brought out the main course about a half hour later. Through their meal, they all exchanged conversations with each other. A live band was playing in the background for some entertainment. Dessert came about an hour later. Nick looked at his watch, it was 9:30p.m. Alana was sitting on the other side of the table in a deep conversation with Howie. Brian looked at his friend and saw him watching Alana talking with Howie.

"She looks good," Brian commented.

Nick smiled and finished the last of his third beer.

"Are you two, you know, together or something?" Brian asked.

Nick almost choked on his drink, causing everyone at the table to look at him. Holy shit! I don’t need to spill my drink on my suit.

"Are you okay?" Alana asked.

He nodded and wiped his face with a napkin. Everyone continued their conversations.

"Are you or not?" Brian whispered, leaning over.

He looked at Alana again and then back at his friend.

"We're still trying to figure it out," Nick answered. "Please don't say anything."

A few moments later, the bill was brought out and placed in front of Howie. Each of the guys reached in their wallets and pulled out enough cash to cover themselves and their dates. Nick started to get up and so did everyone else.

Alana walked over to her chair and grabbed her purse. She hugged each of the guys and then Kristen and LeighAnn. The guys exchanged their good byes and told each other they would see each other in a couple of days.

Frank waited for Nick and Alana near the back entrance. Frank held the limo door opened so that they could climb in. Nick seated him self comfortably on the limo seat and loosened his tie. Alana watched him as he fetched out two bottles of alcohol out of the mini-fridge, giving her one.
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-Five by tree2583
Nick locked his hotel door behind him as Alana was sitting on the couch taking off her shoes. He shook of his jacket and set it on the chair that sat in the corner next to the desk. He flopped on the couch next to her and took of his tie and threw it on the coffee table. Reaching into his pants pockets, he emptied out his cell phone, his wallet, a pack of cigarettes and a green lighter.

Nick put a cigarette in his mouth and lit it up. He inhaled deeply, feeling at ease for just a moment, and then exhaled a puff of smoke out his mouth in front of him. He really needs to stop that nasty habit…maybe I can work on that in the future…Hopefully there is one… Alana rested her head on his shoulder. He moved his arm and wrapped it around her, pulling her close to him, as he finished his cigarette.

She reached over and gave him the ash tray so that he could put out the butt. He crushed it out and then placed the tray back on the coffee table. It was just about 10:30 that evening. Alana got up, but Nick caught her by her hand. He doesn’t want me to leave him...

"Where are ya going?" he asked his Florida accent thick.

She smiled. She loved his accent. He voice is so sexy.

"To get out of this dress," she answered.

"But I like how you look in this dress," he said as he pulled her on his lap. And I would love to see how you would look with it off too…

She played with the collar of his blue dress shirt, and then unbuttoned the top three buttons, exposing his neck. Her hand traveled down the base of his neck, massaging his skin as his fingers tangled in her curls that fell around her shoulders. He loved her hair. It was soft as his fingers combed through the wild curls that the stylist had put it in earlier that day.

"I'm tired," she said as she rubbed his chin with her fingers. His facial hair was rough on her fingers, but made him look sexy, so she thought anyway.

Nick pressed his lips to her for a soft kiss. She gave him a hug as she wrapped her arms around his neck. He hugged her back, his fingers touching her bare back, where her dress opened. So soft…so very soft.

"I'll be in later," he said, as he watched her get up and walk into the bedroom.
~**********~

Alan awoke up the next morning with Nick's body molded against hers. I could get used to this she thought. She had one more day with him until he had to go back to his Backstreet World.

She wasn't sure if she wanted to be apart of his world, but he wanted her to be. He told her last night, hadn't he? She sighed. We need to talk and soon, she thought as she got out of bed.

A little while later, Nick shifted his position and opened his eyes. He looked at the clock by the nightstand; it read 10:30 a.m. He rubbed his eyes and turned back on his side and fell back asleep.

Alana was sitting at the dining room table drinking coffee and reading the morning newspaper. She was wearing her short silk nightgown that Nick had bought her with the hotel robe wrapped around her.

After reading the paper, she laid on the couch to watched television. A few minutes later, the hotel phone rang and she reached over picking it up it up.

"Hello?" she asked.

"It's all over the Internet,” the familiar voice on the other end said.

Alana recognized the voice, it was LeighAnn.

"What do you mean, it's all over the Internet?" she asked.

"There are pictures of Nick and you from last night, posted everywhere," LeighAnn said. "Get on the Internet and see for yourself."

Alana got up and went to the desk where Nick's laptop was sitting. She typed in the web address that LeighAnn had given her. There, she saw several pictures of her and Nick together. One particular stood out. It was a picture of the two of them. He had his arm around her and held her close, both of them smiling at each other. The headline under the picture read: Heartthrob Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys showed off his new girlfriend proudly to several photographers. What will his fans say? She started to panic. The pictures stared back at her. Her entire life was going to be exposed to the world, she just knew it. She didn’t want people to know…to know that she was Nick’s best friend or something more.

"Ohmigod," she whispered. It’s not supposed to be like this…I don’t want people to know who I am! Doesn’t he listen to me? What am I gonna do?

"Alana?" LeighAnn asked. "Are you okay?"

"No," she answered.” What am I supposed to do? It's not supposed to be like this. Why did I let him do that?" This is not good…I think I’m gonna be sick…deep breaths…deep breaths…

"Whoa, slow down," LeighAnn said. "What's not supposed to be like that?"

"I don't even know what is going on between us Leigh,” Alana said, trying not to freak out. I need to find out…soon.
~**********~

Nick woke up about two hours later. He stretched his entire body and rubbed his eyes. He noticed that Alana wasn’t in bed next to him. He got up and went to use the bathroom. He grabbed his pack of cigarettes as he put a white shirt on as he walked into the dining room.

He saw Alana lying on the couch sleeping. He went out to the terrace and smoked a quick cigarette. He came back in and saw that his laptop was open. He sat down at the desk and looked at the webpage. Nick frowned at what he saw. How did this leak out so fast He thought.

The hotel phone rang. He picked it up on the second ring, trying not to wake up Alana.

"Yah?" he asked as he lit up another cigarette.

"Alana is your new girlfriend?!?!?" the voice on the other end
yelled.

Nick sighed. He should have known that his publicist was going to call. Peter Garksin had been his publicist for the last five years. He never let anything slip between his fingers. He had the ins and outs of knowing everything.

One thing was different about Peter than all the publicists that he had before; Peter was gay. Maybe that's why Nick had let him stay, or maybe it was because Peter was about 35 years old, tall, skinny and was taken-so he had no intentions of hitting on Nick or any of the other guys.

"This is all over the Internet Nick!!" Peter yelled.

He inhaled deeply, trying to block out the yelling, then exhaling into the air. Stupid asshole…can’t he ever leave me alone?

“Don't you have anything to say?!?" Peter cried. "I feel like I’m talking to a wall here!!"

"What the fuck do you want me to say?" Nick said almost yelling back. That I had fun with the beautiful woman I care about? That I might possibly be in a relationship?

Alana woke up immediately out of a deep sleep from the living room couch. She rubbed her eyes and saw Nick on the phone. He was pacing back and forth, as long as the phone cord could stretch.

"What were you thinking??? Don't you use your head anymore??" Peter asked, still in an angry tone.

"We went out and had a good time Peter!" Nick yelled.” I don't need your permission to go out with my friends!"

Alana sat there quietly watching him. She could tell he was going to loose his temper any minute.

"You looked more than friends with Alana in the pictures!" Peter accused. "What do you want me to tell Johnny? That you just took her out on the town and the press just `found' you? I need to know what is going on Nick!"

Nick slammed his fist against the wall, causing Alana to jump a little. She got up and stood a few feet behind him.

"Goddamnit Peter!” He growled "I don't know what is going on!" I know what I want…I want to be with Lana…

She stood in front of him and gently touched his arm. He jerked at the touch of her fingers.

"Calm down," she whispered. "Take a deep breath."

Nick tried to take a deep breath, but Peter was yelling again.

"I need to know what’s going on so I can tell the press, and soon!" Peter said anger rising.

He took a deep breath and started to say something, but Alana grabbed the phone out of his hand.

"I'm sorry Peter, but right now, that information is unavailable, he will get back to you when he has a free chance,” she said sweetly, and then hung up the phone.
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-Six by tree2583
Nick put his face in his hands as he sat on the couch. He rubbed his hands over his face and through his hair. How could I let this happen? Everything was going so perfect and now the media has a hold of it. What the fuck am I gonna do?

Alana sat in the chair in front of his laptop and looked at the pictures on the website again. She saw that they looked happy together in all of the pictures. That is what she wanted. She wanted to be happy; happy with Nick. Did he want the same? She needed to find out.

"Nick?" she asked breaking the silence.

He looked over in her direction then leaned his head back on the couch. I am such an idiot.

"It was bound to happen," Alana said quietly.

Nick looked at her and nodded. She got up and sat on the couch next to him. His eyes darted to her exposed thigh that the hotel house coat wasn’t covering.

"What's going on with us?" she asked her voice still quiet.

He looked at her again and then pulled her close to him, her familiar scent surround him as he took a deep breath.

"I don't know," he whispered against her temple. "But I like it." I like it a lot.

"Me too," she whispered back.

"You're not mad?" he asked.

"About what?" she answered. It’s not that I’m mad at you; I’m just don’t know how to handle the situation.

"The pictures," he brought up.

Alana shifted her position on the couch and faced Nick.

"I want to be in a relationship with you Nick. As much as it scares me, I do," she said quietly.

He smiled at her. You do want me…

"You're scared of me?" he asked, giving her a goofy grin.

She gave him a sarcastic, annoyed look.

"I'm trying to have a serious moment with you," she said.

Nick gave her a slow, sexy smile, which just about made her melt. He reached for her and pulled her onto his lap, his fingers caressing her bare thigh. Oh, that feels good. Alana tried to ignore it, but it was hard not too.

"It's gonna be a challenge," he said, as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

She nodded as he continued to play with her hair. I don’t know what to expect, but that’s what comes with being with you…right?

"The press is gonna be up your ass as well as mine," he continued.

"That's what Frank's for," she said.

He laughed at her comment and then shook his head. You have no idea what it’s like to be a celebrity’s girlfriend. I really want there to be an ‘us;’ I have to help you overcome your fears.

"In order for you to go out from now on, you're gonna have to have your own bodyguard," Nick said with a straight face.

Alana cocked her eyebrows at him in curiosity. She didn't need a bodyguard, did she? He really wasn't serious, or was he?

"Oh my god," she said "You're serious, aren't you?"

He continued to look at her with the same straight face. When he was serious, it always showed. She always questioned his seriousness in every issue.

"I don't want anything to happen to you Lana," he said. You are too important in my life for anything to happen to you.

"Nothing is going to happen to me," she replied.

"I have millions of fans around the world," Nick continued "There are reporters everywhere. I don't want you to be swished, beaten, thrown, or killed."

Alana laughed and gave him a small smile.

"I'm serious. Things are different as we speak right now. When you stepped foot on out of the limo last night, the whole world saw you through cameras. I mean, look how quickly those pictures got onto the Internet. Your safety is important around here," he rambled on. "Your entire life is going to change."

She looked at him. He was right. Her life was going to change. She didn’t want it to change. She liked things the way they were, but she wanted to be with Nick. I like my life the way it is right now. Am I really going to have to change everything? Was she willing to change her life and make adjustments, just to be with him?
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-Seven by tree2583
Her relationship with Nick was about to be thrown on the large table in the middle of the conference room. The conference room felt as if it had a stale atmosphere. It smelled like the walls were just freshly painted the pale white that they were. The room was rarely used in the studio, but Peter had insisted they use it.
Alana watched Nick as he instantly light up a cigarette. She could tell he was nervous, just as much or more that she was. Why is he nervous? I’m the reason why we are all here. She took a deep breath, taking in the familiar scent of his cigarette.

Peter sat next to him, as he took out a blue binder out of his brown, leather brief case. A.J. sat down next to Nick, so that the glass ash tray would be shared that sat in front of him. She watched as Kevin, Brian, and Howie strolled in together. They all sat around the table as Johnny Wright walked in.

She watched A.J. light up a cigarette from the pack he pulled from his jacket pocket. He threw the pack on the table in front of him and Nick. She felt Nick's hand on her upper thigh and rub it gently, reassuring her. It’ll be okay Lana…I won’t let anything happen to you. Alana gave him a half smile and put her attention up to Peter as he began to speak.

"Last night, you all went out and had a good time," he started "I'm sure that you were all aware that there were also photographers out too."

Nick nervously tapped his foot under the table.

"Pictures were taken and posted all over the Internet last night for the world to see," Peter continued, "I have gotten numerous phone calls this morning verifying some information that I don't even know." Peter looked directly at Nick and Alana.

"Would you two care to explain what is going on?" he asked as he passed around copies of the pictures that were posted on the Internet to all to see.

Nick ran his fingers through his hair and then covered his face with his hands. Her gazed shifted back from him to his assistant, then back to him. What the hell am I supposed to say? Are we together or not?

"I'm waiting Nick," Peter said in an annoyed tone "We don't want to be here all day."
~**********~

Alana couldn't believe that Peter put him on the spot, right in front of everyone. No one deserved that. She watched as everyone looked at Nick, waiting for him to say something. He couldn't take it anymore. He felt himself get angry. He stood up and pushed back his chair.

"You know what Peter?" He said, his voice rising "I am so sick and tired of people prying into my personal life, including you! I don’t give a flying fuck what anyone thinks! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"

Nick stormed out of the room, leaving everyone in shock. No one had seen him that angry in a long time. They hadn't seen him that angry since his break-up with Paris a year before. He then had a temper, which was all too familiar. It took him a long time to get back to his old self.

The silence in the room was unbearable. A.J. looked at Alana and raised his eyebrows in question. What just happened? She debated whether or not she should follow after him. She didn't know what to do. What do I do? Do I follow him or let him be? This was a first for her. She knew that she had adjustments to make to her life, be she didn't realize that everyone was going to be included.

Johnny cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "I think the first thing that needs to be done is to hire another bodyguard for Alana. Since there are pictures out on the web, we need to up security for both Nick and Alana."

Peter just looked at Johnny. That wasn't what he wanted to hear. He didn’t want Nick seen with Alana. It wasn’t good for his image, or his status in the business. She wasn’t the Hollywood type.

"What am I going to tell the press?" Peter asked.

"That's the last thing I'm worried about," Johnny said “That’s what Nick pays you to do. He hasn't made an outburst like that in over a year."

Alana started to get up, but A.J. lightly toughed her arm.

"Maybe you'd better leave him be this time," he suggested softly.

She raised her eyebrows as if she should question him. Nobody knew Nick like she did. What was it for them to tell her, especially A.J., what to do?

"You don't know him like I do," she said quietly. I have to see if he’s okay; just let me go…please?

"And you don't know him like we do," Brian said "He's better off by himself for the time being. It's his own way of blowing off steam."

Alana looked around the room. Everyone seemed to know how Nick handled his feelings. Was she the only one that didn't know? She was supposed to know him better than anyone else, wasn't she?
~**********~

Nick threw his body onto the couch in the downstairs lounge. He buried his head into the cushion as deep as he let out a loud, angry moan. This is MY life! Not his! Why was Peter questioning his relationship with Alana? He never questioned what he had with Paris. Was it was because both of them had familiar names to the public? Peter had actually encouraged his relationship with Paris. He said that it made his appearance as a person in the music business look better.

He sat up and drew out a cigarette out of his jacket pocket. As he lit it, he leaned done and took his shoes off. He chucked them acrossed the room so that that they hit the wall, hard. Fuckin’ prick.

He could feel the familiar, angry feelings coming back to him. The angry feelings that caused him to be moody, feelings that caused him to drink more, making it all go away. Nick ran his fingers through his hair, messing it up. He took a long puff of his cigarette before putting it out, let then it out after. He didn’t want to be like this again. Please not this again…I don’t want to be angry again.
~**********~

"Peter, I want you to start looking into hiring four new bodyguards,” Johnny said as he closed his notebook. “I want them hired by the end of next week. This can't be put off."

Peter nodded his head and gave Alana a really dirty look.

"If it wasn't for you, we wouldn't have to be dealing with this situation," he snarled at her.

A.J. overheard what was said and practically jumped at Peter’s throat

"Listen buddy," he said and he slammed his body against the wall "Alana has nothing to do with this, so leave her outta of it!"

He let Peter go and he immediately straightened the collar on his pink dress shirt.

Kevin stood right in front of his face.

"Don't let me catch you badmouthing her, or you'll have a lot of shit coming to you," he threatened in a low voice.

Peter gulped and gathered his things quickly, then proceeding to leave.

Johnny put a reassuring hand on Alana's shoulder.

"Don't worry, I'm going to take care of everything," he said "You’re probably going to get a lot of phone calls at the hotel. I would suggest letting the answering machine in Nick's room pick them up."

She nodded and grabbed her purse from the back of the chair. I have to get outta here…

"I'll see you tomorrow," Johnny said, shaking her hand. "Welcome to the family."
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-Eight by tree2583
Alana never questioned anyone as Frank took her back to the hotel in the limo. The limo parked in the back of the hotel and let the two of them out. There were groups of fans in the lobby waiting for the Backstreet Boys to come in. They looked disappointed when she walked through with Frank. Well I’m sorry I'm not who you’re expecting.

As the elevator opened on the seventh floor, Alana took out her hotel card key out of her jeans pocket and inserted into the slot, while Frank watched her.

"He'll be back in a few hours," he said as she walked into the room.

She managed to give him a half smile. I don’t know about that. I think he’s really angry. He wants to be left alone.

"Everything will work out," Frank continued "Just give it sometime."

Alana closed the door behind her and collapsed the couch. She didn’t know when Nick was coming back to the hotel room. Part of her wanted to pack up and go home, but the other part of her wanted to stay and be with him. I have to get outta here. I don’t belong here. This is Nick’s world not mine. It’s for the best. He needs to understand that.

She got up and went into the bedroom. She needed to get out of here. She didn't want to be in the way of Nick, the other guys, or the press, and let alone in Peter's way. The last thing she wanted was to start another fight among the Backstreet Clan and she didn't want to be responsible. Finally deciding what to do, Alana pulled her suitcase out of the hotel closet and started packing her things. When she had everything, she looked around the hotel room for the last time and closed the door behind her. Did I do the right thing? She asked herself.

She dragged her luggage with her to the elevator. Pushing the down button, she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and saw Howie. How did she know that someone would stop her?

"Doing your laundry already?" he asked, eyeing her suitcase and the duffle bag that was tossed over her shoulder.

"Something like that," she answered as she continued to wait patiently for the elevator doors to open. I just want to get out of here. I don’t want to talk to anyone, can’t he see that?

Howie leaned up against the wall and looked at her luggage. He knew that she wasn't going to do her laundry. He wasn't that stupid. He had a hunch that she something wasn't right with her.

"Where ya going?" he asked bluntly.

Alana looked at him.

"What do u mean, 'where am I going'?" she said.

"You have your bags packed." Howie replied "Where ya going?"

She let out a heavy sigh. She knew if she left, someone would stop her.

"You're probably gonna tell Nick anyways," Alana said. "So you can tell him I left."

"Care to be a little more exact to where you are going?" he asked.

She sighed again. Should she tell him where she was going? He doesn’t need to know where I’m going. Let him find out for himself.

"If he wants me that bad, he can find me," she answered, getting into the opened elevator door.
~**********~

Nick made his way back to his hotel room hours later with Frank by his side. He had taken out his frustrations down in the recording room in the studio. He had spent three hours playing his guitar and fiddling with music.

He unlocked the hotel door as Frank watched him walk in and shut it.

"Lana!" he yelled "Where are you?"

Nick waited a few seconds for an answer and when he didn't get one, he began to look for her. He checked the terrace, the kitchen and the bedroom. No sign of her. He looked around the room for a note or something indicating that she would be back. His eyes then darted to the opened closet door. Her suitcase was gone. This can’t be happening…not now.

He sat on the edge of the bed and put his face in his hands.

"FUCK!" he yelled.

Nick took out his cell phone and called each of the guys separately. They hadn’t seen or heard from her or where she could have gone. When he got a hold of Howie, he knew that he was hiding something.

"Howie, where is she?" he asked in an impatient tone.

"Well, it's nice to hear from you too," Howie said. "Hope the venting went well."

"Cut the shit D, where is she?" Nick asked again, his voice rising. I don’t have time to play games.

"What makes you think I know where she is?" Howie asked.

"ARG!" He yelled into the phone.

Howie sighed. He hated giving into people, especially Nick.

"She didn't want me to tell you. She said if you want her bad enough, you’ll find her," he said.

"Where the hell did she go?" Nick asked. "Home?"

"Nope," Howie said.

"Well she doesn't go anywhere," He said, as he hung up his cell phone without saying goodbye.

Nick thought for a moment. Where could she be? He asked himself. Why did she leave?
~**********~
Chapter Thirty-Nine by tree2583
Alana pulled her car into the familiar driveway at 4:00 that afternoon. The drive took her about two and a half hours to get to Jacksonville from Orlando. She grabbed her suitcase and duffel bag and hauled it up to the front door of her parents' house.

Unlocking the door with a spare key that she had since she was thirteen; she walked into the familiar surroundings of her childhood home. The pictures on the wall near the brown, wooden staircase brought back instant memories of her past. The pictures hung in a row. She smiled as she passed all three of her siblings' professional graduation pictures. Stopping at her own picture; her hair was around her shoulders, long and pin straight. The expression on her face was a happy one; the same smile that she smiled last night with Nick in front of the world. I’m happy with him. I deserve to be happy. Then why do I keep running away?

Alana wondered if she would share more of those smiles with him. She wanted everything to work out, but was she willing to change everything for him?
~**********~

Henry and Julie Patterson both rushed home from their jobs to see their daughter, in whom that haven't seen in months. Henry worked as a graphic designer for a large company in the city of Jacksonville and his wife worked as a paralegal for a small firm outside of the city.

Alana was bombarded with hugs and kisses from both of her parents. She knew that she should come and visit more often.

"Oh honey," Julie cried, as she pulled away from her daughter “Look at you! You've gotten so beautiful!"

Alana smiled at her mom. Growing up with three brothers and being the youngest out of the four, she and her mother had a great relationship.

"This is such a surprise," Henry said as he took of his sport coat and set it on top of his briefcase on the couch. "Are you on vacation?"

His little girl smiled. Oh, how he missed her. He missed having her around since she moved to Tampa when she got accepted into college seven years ago. Alana hugged her dad again and felt tears form in her eyes. I really should do this more often, she thought to herself again. You don’t realize how much you miss your family until you come home to visit.

A little while later, Julie had prepared a nice home cooked meal in honor of Alana. She had made roast beef, mashed potatoes and homegrown beans that she had frozen from the summer before. Alana smiled at her parents as they started to eat. She really missed Nick, even though she didn't want to, she really did. Would he really come after her? Is that was she wanted?
~**********~

Nick packed a few clothes and threw them into a black duffle bag. He grabbed his cell phone, a pack of cigarettes and his hotel key and shoved them in his pants pockets. After putting on a black knit beanie on his head, he headed out the door to hotel parking garage. He didn't tell anyone where he was going because he knew they would just try and stop him. She’s more important this time.

A cab was waiting for him as he walked off the elevator on the ground level. Nick decided he would call Frank and let him know where he was when he got to his destination. He told the driver to head toward Route 95, which ran up the east coast of Florida.

No more than two hours later, Nick was woken up as the cab driver stopped at a stop light in the middle of Jacksonville.

"Where to Mister?" The cabby asked, his accent slurred.

"5513 Commerce Street," he answered without giving it a second thought.

He looked out the window and just noticed that it was starting to rain. The weather seemed to dampen his mood even more. He didn't know how Alana was going to react when he showed up on her parents' doorstep. Would she be happy to see him?

The cab stopped in front of a yellow, adobe-style, two story house. Her car was in the driveway, which meant she was here. Nick paid the cab driver and got out. The rain hit him hard as he walked up the sidewalk to the front door. He felt every inch of his body getting soaked, but he didn't care.
~**********~

The doorbell rang. Alana glanced at the clock; it was after 7 p.m. that evening. Henry retired to the study to work on some projects that he had brought home, while Julie was in the laundry room. She got up from the kitchen table and proceeded to the living room to answer the door.

She opened it and saw Nick. He was soaked from head to toe from the pouring rain. His clothes were plastered to his body, emphasizing it. He had a duffle bag in one hand and his hat in the other.

"Who's at the door?" Her mother asked as she carried a basket of clean clothes out into the living room.
Alana just looked at Nick. She didn't know what to say to him because she didn't think he would come after her. I can’t believe he’s here! What about his album? Does this mean that I’m just as important? Julie looked and saw Nick.

"Nickolas!!" she said excitedly.” Well, let him in Alana, it's pouring."

Alana let him and he set his bag on the rug that was in front of the door.

"Let me go get you some towels Nickolas," Julie said.

She still didn't know what to say to him. Nick had been here a few times, so he knew how to get here. Julie came back out with two clean white towels and a laundry basket.

"Alana, take Nick upstairs to get out of those wet clothes," her mother said giving her the laundry basket.

She sighed and took the basket from her and started up the stairs.

Nick took of his shoes as Julie took his wet jacket and hung it on the coat rack. He followed Alana up the stairs with his bag over his shoulder. After stopping at the bathroom door; she shoved the basket on the floor.

"You're not supposed to be here," she said angrily.
~**********~
Chapter Forty by tree2583
"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" he asked "I sat in a fuckin' cab for over two hours to get here."

"What do you want me to do; congratulate you that you know how to use public transportation?" she asked sarcastically. I shouldn’t be angry at him, but I am! I really didn’t think he would come. I don’t want to be in the way.

"Ya know what? Forget I came here," Nick said, as he turned around starting walking down the stairs toward the front door.

Alana felt herself get angry even more. What the hell is going on? You're not supposed up and leave! She thought

"Why are you leaving?" she yelled as she ran down the stairs after him
.
Nick turned around in the pouring rain.

"Isn't that what you want?" he asked. "You said you didn't want me here and now you're yelling at me for leaving. What do you want Alana?"

"How am I supposed to know what I want if you keep leaving all the time?” she yelled back.

He didn't say anything because he knew what she was talking about. She’s right…why do I always leave? He never liked confrontations with other people. Maybe that's why he had such a bad temper at times.

"Why can't you just talk to me?" she asked.

Raindrops fell down on Nick's face. He was wet, yet again from the rain. He walked back up the front steps of the Patterson home and stood in front of her.

"I've always been there for you Nick, why can't you be here for me?" she asked, her voice softening.

He cupped her face with his wet hands and pressed his lips to hers, kissing her hungrily. She felt the raindrops from his face fall onto hers as she kissed him back. Her arms slid around his neck as her fingers tangling into his wet hair. The black duffle back fell on the front steps with a thud when he wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her closer to him.

As Alana tried to break their kiss, Nick planted small, soft, kisses on her neck and back up to her lips. She hugged him tight, his wet clothes pressing against her body. Please don’t leave me again.

"I'm here now Lana," he whisphered, as he hugged her back.
~**********

Alana led Nick back inside the house, their fingers laced together. Henry and Julie were seated in the living room comfortably, watching an evening televison show. They didn't seem to notice as the young couple went back up the staircase.

Nick stopped at the bathroom and pulled Alana to him. He gave her a soft, quick kiss before heading in to change his clothes. She smiled as he closed the door behind him. They were finally making progress, weren’t they?

She walked down the hall to her old bedroom. Her mom had transformed each of her children's old rooms into a guest room, but one of her older brother’s room was used as a playroom for the grandchildren. Her bedroom was one of the guestrooms. The queen size bed was positioned in the center of the room, against the wall. The sage color of the bedspread gave the room a calming feel.

Alana pulled out her pajamas from her suitcase, which were a pair of plain, blue, cotton capris and a white tank top. She changed into her pajamas and as she was putting on her white tank top, the door opened. Quickly pulling down her shirt, she looked around and saw Nick. Phew, that was quick.

Casually dressed in grey sweat pants and a blue muscle shirt, he threw his duffle back near the oak five drawer dresser; but then leaned down and grabbed his cigarettes, lighter and cell phone. He gave her a small peck on the lips, once again, before leaving the room again.

Nick quietly walked down the stairs and to the back door that was just off the kitchen. There was a soft glow coming from a night light that was on the kitchen wall. He closed the door behind him and stood under the porch roof as he lit his cigarette. The rain still fell hard against the wood of the deck. Exhaling the smoke from his now finished cigarette, he threw it over the railing and watched it fall onto the wet grass.
Nick walked up the stairs and rubbed his upper arms as a cold chill hit him. As he opened the bedroom door, he saw Alana snuggled under the sage comforter, fast asleep. She looks so peaceful, so beautiful too. He smiled and climbed into bed, snuggling up to her. The warmth off her body touched his cool skin. She turned her head so that it was near his.

"You're cold," she said quietly.

He let out a muffled cough into the pillow.

"And you're warm," he replied, planting a kiss on her cheek.

Nick cuddled up to her more as he felt another cold chill slither down his body. Alana rubbed his cool forearm as he closed his eyes. He enjoyed the content feeling of being with her like this. He didn't want to go back to the studio. He just wanted to stay with her like this. Could he convince her to change her lifestyle to be with him?
~*********~
Chapter Forty-One by tree2583
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long wait everyone!! Here you go, happy reading!
A tight feeling in Nick's chest awoke him from an uncomfortable sleep. He closed his eyes again and tried to fall back asleep. Alana was curled up behind him with her arm wrapped around his waist and her hand resting on his stomach. It wasn't any use; the tight feeling from his chest arose up his throat, causing pain when he swallowed.

From the tight feeling from his chest, he managed to let out a deep, hard cough. The pain in his throat seemed to get worse as he let out another one. Alana shifted in her position on the bed and opened her eyes. She heard him try to let out another cough, but it came out as a raspy wheeze instead.

"Are you okay?" she whisphered, her lips touching his ear.

He shuddered at her touch as another cold chill went down his body. His throat was really hurting. She felt his body shudder against hers. Throwing back the covers, Nick sat up on the side of the bed. He held his head in his hands. The pain in his throat would not go away. How can she put up with my shit all the time? Why does she care so much? And about me?

Alana watched her best friend in the darkness of the room. The rain could still be heard against the window as it was still pouring outside. She crept on the other side of the bed to where he was sitting and pulled herself up next to him.

"What's wrong?" she asked as she started to rub his back as he still had a shirt on.

Nick let out another hard, raspy cough and then groaned as he put his head back in his hands. She turned on the small lamp that was next to the bed on the oak bed stand.

"If you don't tell me what's wrong, I can't help you," she said as she raised his head to her level. Why can't he tell me what's wrong? He seems so helpless right now.

"I need a drink," he barely whisphered, but just enough for her to hear him.

He adjusted his eyes to the now lit up room and stood up. He felt Alana slip her hand into his. The warmth of her hand felt good against his cool skin as she led him down the stairs to the kitchen.
~**********~

Though his throat was badly hurting, he didn't want to seem weak to her, so he poured himself a glass of icy cold water. Alana watched Nick as he drank down the tall glass. The cold liquid felt good as it went down his throat. He finished the glass and filled it up again to take back upstairs. He set the glass on the night stand and got back into bed. When he laid back down, he let out a loud, hard cough. She could hear the congestion in his chest start to build.

She went into the bathroom and opened up the cupboard underneath the sink. Her mom had so many types of medicine, so she was bound to find something that would make him comfortable and get some much needed rest.

Alana sat on the side of the bed where Nick was trying to sleep. She lightly feathered his blonde locks away from his forehead. His eyes slowly opened and he looked at her.

"Here, take these," she said as she handed him two gel caps of Nyquil.

He squinted at the medicine that she put in his hand.

"I'm fine," he said handing them back to her.

Nick let out another congested cough and Alana saw the pain in his face as he covered his mouth. She put them back in his hand. He gave in and took them, feeling the coldness of the water down his flaming throat. Pulling the covers back over him, he fell into a deep, comforting sleep.

Hours later, Alana awoke to bright rays from the sun that streaked through the window. She looked over at Nick and saw that he was curled up under the blankets, sleeping peacefully. That Nyquil really must have done the trick, she thought to herself.

The clock on the wall read 8:40 a.m. That meant both of her parents had already left for work, considering it was a weekday. She got up quietly, not waking him up, and went downstairs to make some coffee.
~**********~

By the time Alana made coffee and settled at the kitchen table with a cup and a bagel, it was almost 9:30 a.m. engrossed in her breakfast, she jumped when she heard the familiar, yet annoying ring of a particular a cell phone.

She tried to ignore the ringing. It stopped after 5 rings. Taking a knife and putting some more peanut butter on her wheat bagel, the phone rang again. She dropped the knife hard on the table and was getting really perturbed. He really needs to change that, it’s annoyin.

She opened up his silver and black flip cell phone and pushed the answer button. Before she could get a word out, yelling came out on the other end of the line.

"Where the fuck are you??" the voice screamed "The meeting started over a half hour ago!!"

Alana took a breath and was about to say something, but the voice continued.

"No one knows where you are Nick!! You need to learn how to answer your phone and check your voicemail! Get your ass here now!" the anger heard in the male voice.

She knew it was Kevin. He was the father figure of the group. He was just doing his job, but he had no right to yell at Nick, especially since he was sick, and she didn't deserve to be yelled at either. There was a break of silence so Alana finally had her chance to say something

"I really don't appreciate yelling in my ear when I am eating my breakfast," she said in a calm voice.

"Alana?" he asked, his voice lowered "Where's Nick?"

"He's sleeping," she answered flatly.

"Our Promotional Meeting with Johnny started a half hour ago," Kevin stated. "He should've been here over an hour ago."

"Like I said, he's still sleeping," she said as she took another sip of her coffee.

"Out a little late?" he asked.

“No, he doesn’t feel good. He’s sleeping,” Alana answered as she finished off her bagel.

“He needs to be here, tell him he has ten minutes to get down here,” Kevin said.

She sighed. She had to tell him where Nick was and he wasn’t going to like it one bit, not one bit at all. But then again, it really wasn’t for her to tell.

“I’ll tell him, it doesn’t mean anything though. Like I said he’s not feeling good,” she replied. Why do I feel so bad for not telling him where Nick is?

“Okay, I guess that’s all I can get out of you?” he asked.

She smiled a little. Well at least you aren’t trying to pry it out of me like some people do.

“I’ll tell Nick that you called,” Alana said.

“Thanks Hun,” Kevin said “You tell him he’s in deep shit.”

She laughed as she hung up the cell phone.
~**********~

A couple hours later, after Alana was showered and dressed, she went back upstairs to check on Nick. She hadn’t checked on him since last night. Figuring he needed to sleep, he had left him alone for most of the morning. She had basically lazed around the house the entire morning, catching up on reading one of her books that she had started months before.

She quietly opened the door and saw him snuggled under the blankets, sleeping peacefully on his side. Alana stood in the doorway and watched him as he slept. The movements of his breath were a little uneven and the congestion could be heard. She couldn’t believe that he had dropped all his obligations and came for her. Never in a million years, would she have ever thought that he would do such a thing. He was so devoted to his career and music; he usually never let anything come before them, until now. If I mean that much to him, what does that mean? Are we officially together or what? These questions were going to ponder her mind until she talked with him. For now, he was sick and she was finally going to get to take care of him.

Alana left the door opened and went into the bathroom to get a thermometer. She sat on the edge of the bed and peeled back the comforter and he barely moved as she did. She rested her hand on his forehead and felt that he was still warm. Her fingers ran down his tanned cheek to his neck; he was warm all over.

“Nick,” she whispered softly as she touched his cheek again.

“Hmmm…” and a groan followed as his response.

“Can you wake up for a few minutes so I can take your temp?” she asked.

Not hesitating one bit, he opened his mouth a little so that she could slid the thermometer in. His eyes still closed, he felt Alana push his damp hair away from his face. He felt so useless when he was sick, but he liked having her finally take care of him. She was better than A.J.

The thermometer beeped a minute later, though it felt like forever to Nick. Alana looked at it.

“101.5,” she said. “It’s not too bad. I think you should take a shower, think you can do that?”

He tried to clear his throat, but it was painful in the process.

“Yah,” he mumbled. Maybe you should help me, but I’m too exhausted.

She pulled back the rest of the blankets so that they were sitting on the edge of the queen size bed.

“Still tired…” his voice trailed off.

Alana pulled the blankets back over him. She didn’t want to fight with him. She just wanted him to get some rest. A phone call had to be made to Kevin, and soon. Planting a kiss on his forehead, she closed the door as she left the room.
~**********~
Chapter Forty-Two by tree2583
Author's Notes:
UPDATE
Hey guys! Thanks for waiting so patiently! Hope you enjoy! Thank you for reading
Nick woke himself up with a hard coughing fit. He rubbed his chest to help sooth the pain after the last heavy cough left his throat. This sucks. Maybe a nice, hot shower will help. He grabbed some clothes and made his way to the bathroom down the hall. As the water in the shower warmed up to the right temperature, he stripped out of his clothes and stepped in.

His thoughts drifted back to the last night. A smile spread across his face as he remembered the passionate kiss that he had shared with Alana. She’s my world. I adore her so much. How can I show her that I’m always going to be there for herHe finished washing his body and enjoyed the hot water for a few minutes longer than he anticipated. He towel dried his hair and then put the towel in the white hamper that was next to the bathroom sink. He reached for the clothes that he had put on the toilet and slipped on the black gym shorts and long sleeved white shirt.

The sun was bright as Nick went back into the guest room to retrieve his cigarettes and lighter. His hands were shaking from the lack of nicotine in his system as he quietly went downstairs to the back door. As he passed the living room, he noticed that Alana was curled up on the couch wrapped up in a thick book. I just need a quick one; I hope she doesn’t see me. He knew that he shouldn’t be smoking, not with the way his throat felt. His hands continued to shake as he turned the knob of the door and went outside.

Alana jerked her head to the sound of the door closing in the kitchen. Was Nick finally up? Did he feel any better than the previous night? Wanting to know the answers, she put her book on the coffee table down and got up from her comfortable position on the couch. The weather outside was warm and sunny. Nick was sitting in a patio chair with a half-smoked cigarette in his hand and his head leaning against the padding of the chair. He looked as if he was enjoying the warmth as she watched him through the screened in door.

She let him be and raided the cupboards to make something for lunch. She opened a can of tuna fish, mixed it up and started to make two sandwiches as she heard the door open. He smiled as he saw her make lunch for both of them. He stood behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her up against him. She instantly relaxed against his touch. This feels so nice. This feels like a dream, maybe if I just wake up… She quickly tossed away the thoughts and came back to the reality of the situation. He was still standing there, with his arms wrapped around her, holding her. It wasn’t a dream, it was all real.

Alana turned herself around so that she was looking up at Nick. His ocean blue eyes looked back at her and he smiled as he pulled her closer to him. She reached her hand up and caressed the back of his neck. I want him so bad, but it’s too soon, isn’t it? He leaned her back up against the kitchen counter and planted a soft kiss on her temple. She embraced him in a hug and he hugged her back. She felt so safe in his arms, like no one was going to hurt her, again.

Nick let go of her as he let out a cough as he covered his mouth. That was a signal for Alana to continue to make lunch as he got himself a glass of water. They sat at the small wooden table in the kitchen and ate lunch.

“Kevin called this morning,” She said as she took a sip of her water.

He raised his eyebrows in question.

“And?” he asked his voice a little hoarse.

“It’s not for me to tell him where you are,” she answered.

Nick smiled again.

“Good, he doesn’t need to know,” he said, finishing off his sandwich.

“You have to call him back Nick,” Alana replied “You missed an important meeting today.”

He sighed. She was right, but he wanted to stay here, and spend time with her, just the two of them and no one disturbing them. That’s all he wanted, was her and only her.

“They survived just fine without me,” was all he said.

“Just tell me that you’ll call him back,” she said.

Nick didn’t want to call him back, but he knew that he had to. He had a career that was important to him. But he also had a new girl in his life. She’s my priority at the moment.

~**********~
Nick went back upstairs to lay back down as Alana finished cleaning up the kitchen from lunch. She grabbed her book from the coffee table and went upstairs also. The door was left opened halfway opened and she slipped through, closing it quietly behind her. He was curled under the covers and the television was on in the background. The remote was next to him as she saw that a sports channel was on. He must’ve just fallen asleep. She took the remote and put it on the nightstand.

The sun was still shining bright through the window. Alana closed the matching curtains and the room became darker, enough for him to sleep and feel relaxed. She turned on the small lamp next to the bed and made herself comfortable to continue to read her book. A few minutes later, Nick woke himself up again to a coughing fit. He sat up and grabbed a tissue from the nightstand. After he blew his nose, he felt better.

“Hey,” he said softy as he leaned his head near hers.

“Hi,” she said as she looked up from her book, “How are you feeling?”

“Better than last night,” he answered, “Take a nap with me?”

Alana put her put down her book on the floor and crawled under the inviting covers. She laid down so that she was facing Nick. His fingertips ran up and down her cheek. I want you…I want you right now. She leaned in and softly kissed his lips. Her lips were so gentle as he kissed her back. His hand cupped her cheek delicately as he continued to kiss her, his tongue dancing with hers. She smiled against his lips. She was happy. She was happy with Nick.

He softly kissed her lips again and rested his forehead against hers.

“Whatcha thinking about?” he whispered.

She looked down at her hands. Nick’s fingers were laced through hers. Without a doubt, the one thing that was on her mind, one person to be exact; him. You’re always on my mind, no matter what I’m doing. You have no idea what being with you does to me. Alana didn’t know if she should tell him what exactly she was thinking, she didn’t want him to think she was trivial.

He smiled as he watched the thoughtfulness in her face. His lips planted a soft kiss on her temple.

“Tell me what’s on your mind Lana,” he said gently. “It looks like you’ve put some serious thought into whatever it is.”

Did she want to tell him? She wasn’t sure how he would handle her telling him. She wanted him. She wanted him so bad; it ached her heart to tell him. We haven’t really established a title for our relationship, that’s the first issue. But that’s the last thing on my mind because I WANT HIM SO BAD! I have to tell him…now.

The way that she chose to show him was through her actions and not by words. She ran her palm along his jaw line, enjoying the feeling of the stubble and kissed his lips for a moment. Nick caught her lips with his and enjoyed the sensation of her tongue with his. Her fingers trailed down his neck to his shoulder. He felt himself start to grow hard.

It had been a while since he had been with a woman, a real woman. After breaking up with Paris, he had taken a particular liking to the bar scene for a short period of time. Taking up drinking and meeting random females to get his sexual satisfaction was how he took out his frustrations for the first few months after. Now he was with someone he had secretly hungered to be with...her.

Alana tried to remember the last time she felt a desire like this. It’s been way too and long, she thought back to her last sexual encounter, which was more than a year ago. She quickly shut out the past and focused her thoughts on what was happening in the present.

Nick’s hands smoothed over her pink fitted shirt, resting on her waist. His fingers outlined her delicate curves as he moved toward the underside of her breast. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the feeling of his hands touching her. Her lips continued to kiss his as she wrapped her hands around his neck, pulling him closer to him.

Her shirt was lifted up over her head as Nick kissed down the side of her face and stopped as he nibbled at her ear. Oh keep doing that. Her head tilted to the side, her eyes closed, as a soft moan escaped her lips.

Nick smiled as he continued his torture to her ear. So that’s one of her sweet spots. I’ll have to remember that for next time. Alana slid her hands under his white shirt and made contact with his skin. He jerked a bit when she rubbed her hands over his stomach and up to his chest. His shirt had to come off. He stopped for a brief moment and took his shirt off, letting it slide off the side of the bed.

She captured his lips once again and he focused his attention on her purple lace bra. He cupped her covered breast in his hand, enjoying the feeling of the texture in his hand. Alana smile and arched up a little toward his touch. She couldn’t believe this was happening. Finally, after so many times of dreaming of being with him, it was finally happening. Nick’s fingers reached behind her and unclasped the garment that was holding her breasts from his touch. As it fell off she shoulders, he took one of the nipples immediately into his mouth, while his hands fondled the other.

Alana felt like she was she was floating on cloud nine. She felt her body heat rise a few degrees and he continued to give her breasts his full attention. Her fingers in his hair, as she held his head against her, she body responded to his touch as his hand traveled down to the clasp of her jeans. Nick kissed his way back up to her lips and she tugged at the waistband of his black gym shorts.

He pulled away from her for a moment and looked at her. Her face was flush, her lips swollen from the kisses that they had shared, and her body half naked. Her hair was tousled and she offered him a small, shy smile. He returned the smile, knowing that what they were about to share with each other would drastically change everything that they knew.

Nick then lay down on the bed next to her, his hands running down her chest to the tops of her shorts, once again. He felt as if he needed to ask her permission to move forward. I want this to be so perfect for you.

“Lana?” he whispered, making sure this is definitely what she wanted.

She answered him with another passionate kiss. She most certainly wanted this, more than anything right now. This moment was going to bring them closer, closer than they ever were.

“I want this just as much as you do Nick,” she said as she pressed her lips to his ear.

He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a tight embrace. This woman filled the empty space that was no longer in his heart; he felt like his life was finally complete.

Nick pressed a soft kiss to her lips again and started to work of her shorts, revealing matching purple lace panties. His hardness throbbed through his shorts. He wanted her, wanted her so bad. He wasn’t sure if he could hold off, but he was determined to make it special, for both of them.

As her panties came off, his smoothed his hands up her thighs and greeted her heated wetness. Alana gasped at his touch. He definitely knew where to touch her to make her hot. Nick teased her with his fingers as the light rhythm almost made her release. Not yet...she pleaded as she slowed his hand with hers.

He shoved his shorts and boxers off in one motion, exploiting his erected manhood. Alana could feel his hard on against her thigh. His lips crashed on hers again and she climbed on top of him. Nick let her guide his hard length into her tight, wet opening. A sigh of satisfaction escaped her lips as he slowly entered her.

She started to move, slowing adjusting to him. He groaned as she moved her hips a little faster. Nick reached up and caressed her breast with each hand, teasing the hardened buds. He matched her rhythm, pulling her as close to him as she could. His hands outlined her smooth bottom and she picked up the pace even more. He thrusted deeper into her and she slowed the pace back down.

“Lana,” he breathed, sweat beading at his forehead.

Alana smiled and continued her slow pace.

“You have no idea what you do to me,” he whispered, grabbing her bottom again and gave it a small squeeze.

“And you have no idea what you do to me,” she answered as she ran her hands down his hard chest.

He reached up for her and kissed her furiously, so much so, that her body flooded with heat as he picked up speed, taking her with him. Nick reached down and rubbed her clit, making it harder for Alana to hold out any more. As he continued to rub, she felt almost felt her release. She felt her like her entire body was on fire, all the way down to her feet. He thrusted deeper within her until she let out a small cry, holding her close to him, until he dove one more time and felt his own release.

They just lay there, holding each other, savoring the moment. No words were needed, for they both knew nothing was going to be the same, ever.
~***********~
Chapter Forty-Three by tree2583
Author's Notes:
Okay, so this one's a little short. I have had a massive case of writer's block and have been trying to get out of it. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Alana watched as Nick fell back asleep. He was comfortably curled under the blankets breathing evenly. She quietly sat on the edge of the bed after she got dressed. I think I just gave him my heart. She thought as she straightened her pink t-shirt. I am head-over-heels, hopelessly in love with my best friend.

Her world as she knew it was going to be invaded by cameras and reporters. Would Nick’s fans accept her into their world, let alone his? These were just some of the things that worried her, but she knew that there were many more issues to come. Alana let him sleep and went downstairs to start dinner before her parents got home.

A loud melody rang from the nightstand near Nick’s head. He groaned and tried to ignore it, but it kept ringing. He reached over and grabbed it, without looking to see who it was.

“Hello?” he asked his voice hoarse and groggy.

“Hey bro, how are ya feeling?” the familiar southern voice on the other end greeted.

Nick smiled. It was nice to hear from his other best friend. Word must have spread to the others that he wasn’t feeling the best.

He let out another cough and cleared his throat. He had to go back, obligations to the group; it was his job. He wasn’t going to make Alana go with him, unless she wanted too. It would make him happy if she decided to go back to Orlando with him, but he wasn’t sure what she would do.

“I’m okay, still not feeling the greatest,” Nick answered.

“So where exactly are you?” Brian asked. “We know you’re not at the hotel. Howie saw Alana leave. And Frank is pissed that you didn’t tell him where you went. We rescheduled the promotional meeting for tomorrow morning at 11.”

He sighed. Why couldn’t he be left alone? I just want to be left alone. I know they care, but I need time to myself, with Alana.

“Just promise me that you’ll at least try and be there,” Brian said “We can’t do this without you Nick.”

He was right. They couldn’t do it without him. He had to make a decision and quick.

“Alright Bri, I’ll see you tomorrow at 11,” Nick replied.

He hung up his cell phone, hoping that everything would be a smooth ride and that Alana would go with him.

Sleep wasn’t coming back to him, even though he was still tired. Fuck it, Might as well get up and tell Lana that I have to go back. I’m just hoping that she’ll come too. He knew that she would come with back to Orlando, wouldn’t she?
~***********~

After dinner, he excused himself outside for a cigarette and some fresh air. The air was hot against his tanned skin. It had been in the high nineties that day, but it was slowly cooling off. He leaned over the wooden railing and looked over the horizon. How was he going to tell Alana that he had to go back to work?

The nicotine could be felt as it was released through his body when he took another drag of his cigarette. Nick knew he should quit smoking soon, but it was his only stress relief when he was working that hard. He had to find another one.

He sat down on one of the white patio chairs that were set around a matching table. Thoughts were going through his head about everything-his career and Alana being the two most. His career was what he did, what he loved with a passion. Music was his life; his way of expressing himself to the world. Alana was his best friend, the woman he longed to be with. He just hoped that they were on the path to becoming one.

Nick put out his cigarette and made his way back into the house to start getting things ready for the trip that had to be made the next day.

Awhile later, Alana made her way up to the guest room. She found his duffel bag almost packed and clothes folded next to it on the bed. He was folding a pair of shorts and added them to the pile

“Nick, what’s this?” she asked, pointing at the bag.

“My bag,” he replied, pointing out the oblivious, with a stupid grin.

She sighed. I can never be serious with him when I want to know something.

“Are you leaving?” Alana asked. She knew he was leaving. He was leaving, again.

“I have to be back in Orlando tomorrow morning for a meeting,” Nick answered.

“So when were you going to tell me? After you left?” she asked her hands on her hips.

He sighed and placed the remaining of clothes in his bag.

“I really don’t want to get into this Alana,” he said as he zipped up his bag. She didn’t understand. He didn’t want to leave. He hated leaving her.

“You just got here less than 24 hours ago and now you’re leaving again. Not to mention you have a cold,” Alana said “You need to rest.”

Yet again, she was right, like she always was. He knew that she knew what was best for him most of the time. But this time he had to put his foot down.

“Alana, we have been though this millions of time. You know what my career entails. I’m a member of one of the most famous music groups in the world. I have obligations that I have to keep and can’t push away. You already know about this,” Nick said as shoved his cell phone into his back pocket.

“What about us?” she asked “Where does that leave us?”

He was stunned by her question. Walking toward her, he cupped her chin with his hands.

“I want you to come back with me,” his voice was soft. “But I don’t know if you’re ready to give up your lifestyle. I want you with me Lana, I can’t make you choose.”

Nick wrapped his arms around her in a hug and pressed his lips to hers. I really want her to be with me, always. I can’t make her choose between me and her life.

Alana hugged him back. So the ball’s in my court now. I want to be with him, but am I ready for what comes with it? What do I do?
~**********~
Chapter Forty-Four by tree2583
Author's Notes:
Yay! I updated!! Feedback is always appreciated!
Chapter Forty-Four

Throughout the meeting, many topics were discussed; the finalization of the tour dates and cities especially. Rehearsals started the beginning of the next week. They were to leave the next month for New York City where they would start their Up Close and Personal Tour before the actual release of their new album. After spending a few days there, they would be well on their way for the next month promoting the pre-release of their album, Never Gone. They would then get about two and a half months of preparation time for their United States Summer Tour starting in July.

Nick dragged himself wearily into his hotel room. The meeting had lasted well past the allotted time. He dropped his cigarettes and cell phone on the end table then flopped on the couch. The watch on his left wrist read just after 9:30 p.m. He flipped on the television just for background noise and made himself comfortable.

His mind drifted off and he started to think about other things. Would the fans accept Alana as his girlfriend? Did he really care if they did or not? I deserve to be happy; happy with Alana. I need to start putting myself before others, but then again, I love my fans. I just hope it all balances out in the end. He let out a big sigh. Closing his eyes, he let himself slide into a deep sleep. He just hoped for the best and that everything would go the way that he wanted it to.

Nick woke up to the sound of his alarm going off on his cell phone. He didn't’t remember setting it for a specific time, but when he looked at it, he remembered quickly why he did. The light from sun shone brightly on his face through the window as he got up and stretched. Frank was getting him in an hour for another meeting. He made his way tiredly to the bathroom to take a shower and to get ready.

While in the shower, Nick wondered if Peter had done everything that he requested. Peter had said that he would get right on it. Did that mean by today or would he actually wait until Wednesday?

He wanted Alana with him and he was going to make sure that he would do everything that he could to make it happen.
~**********~

A faint ringing could be heard from Alana's purse as she put her bags in the backseat of her car from the mall. She jumped as she felt it vibrate against her side through her purse. Okay, I don't have a cell phone, so who's is in my purse? She pulled out a small silver cell phone and looked at the number. A big smile spread across her face as she recognized the number; it was Nick. Leave it to him to slip a phone in my purse so he can find me.

"You know I hate cell phones, but you HAD to give me one anyways," she teased.

She heard him chuckle "It's the only way I can keep track of you."

She knew he was joking, of course. He had reasons for putting the cell phone in her purse before he left, or so she assumed. He's just making sure I'm okay...and keeping track of me. Maybe that's a good thing? She chose to ignore her thoughts and decided she would talk about it with him later.

"How are things?" Alana asked as she got into the front seat of her car.

"Busy, hardly have time to myself, let alone to sleep," he answered with a weary sigh "But everything getting ready to go for the Promotional Tour."

"That's great. I know you guys can't wait to start touring again," she said. What is going to happen when you do go on tour? I'm going to miss you...a lot.

"Yeah, I can't wait to get on the road again and sing for our fans," he agreed. "But it won't be the same."

"Why's that?" She questioned.

"Because I don't know if you want to go with me or not," Nick said as his voice trailed off.

Alana felt herself smile again. He wants me to go with him! He wants me to be apart of everything...including the Backstreet Family.

"Well when it comes closer, we can talk about it then, I don't want to talk about it know," she replied, wanting to change the subject. If I go with him, that means I have to change everything in my life, especially my job. I will be relying on him for money...am I ready for that?

"Well, that's kinda why I actually called, everything is set if you want to come back to Orlando," he said. "When you're ready, of course."

Well, of course I'm ready to come back! I miss you like crazy and it hasn't even been two days. I can't wait to be in your arms again!

"Well, I think that can be arranged, very soon," Alana said.
~**********~

She found herself driving back to Orlando only a few hours after she had gotten off the phone with Nick. She had told him that she was going to be coming back tomorrow morning, but she decided to leave later that night to avoid all the commotion. I don't need anyone to look after me. I am quite capable of looking after myself.

Upon entering the parking lot of the hotel, she found a space to park that wasn't very far from walking distance to the entrance. The lamp posts provided just enough light for Alana to retrieve her bags and walk towards the front door of the hotel.

The lobby looked larger than what she remembered it, when she had left a few days before. Her suite case dragged behind her on wheels as a bag was over her shoulder. The elevator was on the left, right next to a sitting area. There, a small group of teenage girls were seated listening to music and talking. She noticed that there was a lot more security personnel staffed also. This should be simple.

Alana passed the front desk and headed toward the elevator, but she felt a hand on her shoulder stop her.

"Excuse me ma'am," a deep voice said.

She looked behind her saw a tall African-American man dressed in blue jeans and a black t-shirt.

"No one is permitted to go in the elevators until they are checked in," he said.

Alana put her shoulder bag down by her suitcase.

"Listen, I don't have a reservation, I'm staying with a friend," she answered. "and he's expecting me."

"I'm sorry ma'am, I can't let you get on the elevator until you have checked in or have a room key. This is for security reasons," the tall man said.

"I don't have a room key, but I have the room number. My friend never gave me a key. He's expecting me. I need to get up to the seventh floor," she repeated. This is getting annoying. It shouldn't be this hard to get back to Nick's hotel room. I'm tired and want to sleep. I just want to see Nick.

"I'm sorry ma'am, that floor is off limits to the public," he said.

"Without proper authorization, I can't let you past this point," his stern voice said

"Okay, fine, you want proper authorization, I'll get you some," Alana said, annoyed.

"I am just following procedures, ma'am," the man replied.

She fumbled through her purse until she found her cell phone and dialed Nick's number. He is not going to be happy, at all.
~**********~

Nick was snuggled underneath the covers of his hotel bed sleeping peacefully. He was interrupted by the ringing of his cell phone. Ugh, all I want to do is sleep! He knew if he didn't answer his phone, it would just keep ringing. He reached out next to him on the small night stand and grabbed, then flipped it open.

"What?" he groaned.

"Can you please tell these security people down here to let me come up?" the female voice asked on the other end.

"Lana?" Nick asked. "You're not supposed to be here til tomorrow." But I'm glad you're here...I missed you.

"Can you just come down and get me or something?" she asked "They won't let me go through."

He let out another groan. I have to tell her from now on that wherever she goes, she has to have a bodyguard. He knew if he came down to get her, there would be a mob of fans and he didn't want to deal with it this late at night.

"I'll have Frank come down and get you," Nick answered.

"Thank you," Alana replied.

He hung up the phone and decided he might as well to get up and have a cigarette as he awaited for her arrival.

She waited for Frank in a chair near the group of teenaged girls and overheard their conversation.

"Oh my God, is that Nick's girlfriend?!" the first girl asked, pointing at Alana.

"Where did ya hear THAT?!" the second girl said.

"There are pictures of the two of them on Not-Like-You.com and everywhere else!" answered the third girl.

"Nah, it can't be, it's just a rumor...Nick would've told us if he had a girlfriend," The second girl said.

"Well, not necessarily. I mean, sometimes the guys like to keep there personal lives to themselves," replied the third girl.

Alana chuckled to herself as she listened to the girls. It's funny to see how obsessive some fans can be.

The elevator doors opened and Alana immediately looked to see who stepped out; it was Frank. Alana watched as Frank talked with the tall, African-American man. He finally came over after ten minutes of conversation with the other man.

He gave her a tired smile as he grabbed her suitcase.

"Oh, I am so sorry for waking you up Frank!" She apologized. It's just that I want to see Nick and I couldn't wait til tomorrow.

"It's okay, just part of the job. Let's get you out of here, I think people are starting to recognize you," Frank said, his head nodding at the small group of girls.

They headed to the elevator and the tall man let them through without a problem.

"I'm sorry about the misunderstanding ma'am, I didn't realize who you were," he said politely.

"It's okay, but you didn't have to give me such a hard time about it," Alana said "I told you I had a friend staying here."

The man gave her an apologetic look. Yeah, you should be sorry, next time listen. She returned his looked with a sweet smile, one that showed she was right. Okay, maybe I shouldn't rub it in, but on the other hand, what would it hurt once in awhile?
~**********~
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7284