Fly Away by angielynn
Summary: After the death of her father and break up with her boyfriend, Ashlee introduced herself to drugs and the horrible ways of the streets. After almost a year of being sober, she find herself connecting with a former drug and alcohol abuser and helping one of his best friends deal with the same pains as they both have.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Drama
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 19742 Read: 57275 Published: 05/07/06 Updated: 06/03/06

1. Chapter 1 by angielynn

2. Chapter 2 by angielynn

3. Chapter 3 by angielynn

4. Chapter 4 by angielynn

5. Chapter 5 by angielynn

6. Chapter 6 by angielynn

7. Chapter 7 by angielynn

8. Chapter 8 by angielynn

9. Chapter 9 by angielynn

10. Chapter 10 by angielynn

11. Chapter 11 by angielynn

12. Chapter 12 by angielynn

13. Chapter 13 by angielynn

14. Chapter 14 by angielynn

15. Chapter 15 by angielynn

16. Chapter 16 by angielynn

17. Chapter 17 by angielynn

18. Chapter 18 by angielynn

19. Chapter 19 by angielynn

20. Chapter 20 by angielynn

21. Chapter 21 by angielynn

22. Chapter 22 by angielynn

23. Chapter 23 by angielynn

24. Chapter 24 by angielynn

25. Chapter 25 by angielynn

26. Chapter 26 by angielynn

27. Chapter 27 by angielynn

28. Chapter 28 by angielynn

Chapter 1 by angielynn
“Hey Lindsey!” Ashlee said to Lindsey as she walks through the door, “I got an order for ya! 4127 E. Glass.”

“Oh great. I hate that place, they NEVER tip,” replied Lindsey.

Lindsey begins to bag up her pizzas as Ashlee walked over to the makeline to finish making their breakfast.

“Hey, can I get a bank? Sweet! Cinnamon Rolls! And what the heck are you listening too??” Lindsey asked as she laughs. “Is this the Backstreet Boys??”

“Haahaa, yeah. I’m actually supposed to be on my way to they’re concert in Tacoma, but due to my lack of money...” She runs to the office and back and hands Lindsey a bank. She sighs heavily and says, “There you go..have fun!”

“Oh I will!”



‘ASHLEE!!! What are you doing? Will you PLEASE turn that down?!”

“Sorry Sam! We we’ve been dead all day,” Ashlee relied as she ran up to the front to turn down the radio, “I just sent Lindsey on a break. She really didn’t feel like rocking out to Backstreet Boys, so I said she could go rock out at McDonald’s or something.”

Sam just gave her the same old stern look and said, “Well, find something to do other then jam out. I’m not paying you to be a ‘teeny bopper’.” And he walked outside, got in his truck and left.

Ashlee rolled her eyes and walked to the door and watched him drive out the driveway. She then turned around and walked straight back to the radio and turned it up. It just so happened to be her favorite Backstreet song.

“Hey Mr. DJ, keep playing that song for me..” And she walked into the office just smiling and remembering the silly dance moves she had learned when she first became a fan.

As soon as she had walked into the office, she heard a group of rowdy, probably teenaged boys walk in. She popped in a piece of gum and looked out the crack in the one way office window to make sure she didn’t have hair sticking out her visor and to estimate how many pizzas she’d be having to make. She looked away then stopped dead in her tracks, chewing and all.

“No way,” she whispered to herself. “You have GOT to be kidding me.”
Chapter 2 by angielynn
“Man! It is COOOLD out there! And that is a LOT of snow..” said a husky voice.

Ashlee didn’t know what to do. “Um, be with you in a second,” she said to them loudly from the office.

“It’s okay, take your time! It’s not like were hungry or anything,” said another man.

“Nick!” yelled another.

Then a little voice spoke from the loud group, “Daddy, I’m hungry.”

Good LORD! What the..okay Ashlee..breathe. In..one two three, out..one two three. These guys are normal human beings. Just because they’re the..oh my God..okay...

Ashlee quickly gathered herself together and walked slowly out of office. As she turned she could feel her face growing hot. She walked up to the counter looking every which way pretending like she was checking things out, making sure everything was in order, then finally she looked up and she was at the counter standing face to face with AJ McLean.

“Hi!” he said with a smile.

“Um, hey! Uh, what can I do for you guys today,” she replied with a nervous smile. Hey this is easier then I thought..she thought to herself.

“We want some freaking pizza! I’m STARVING!!” Nick said.

“Haha..well I guess you came to the right place then, now didn’t you? Do you guys know what you want?” Ashlee answered Nick.

“Pizza!!”

Brian picked up his son while laughing and said, “Okay, sweetie.”

AJ turned to the rest of the guys and asked them what they wanted and they all just stared at him. “I dunno,” “You pick,” “What’s good here?” were just a few things thrown at him after a few, what seemed to Ashlee, very long seconds.

“I guess we should have figured that out before we came in, huh?” He said with a grin.

I can’t believe I’m actually here..oh gosh..I have to call Mia..

Just then they all started to talk at once. AJ just rolled his and looked at Ashlee. He then stopped and just stared.

“You look familiar,” he said with an intense look.

“Well, uhm. I don’t think I..”

Just then everything went dark. The computers turned off, the oven shut off and the stereo went silent.

Are your effing kidding me? Ashlee thought angrily.
Chapter 3 by angielynn
"Oh my GOD. I'm out..I'm finding somewhere else to eat. Whose with me?" said an impatient Nick.

This boy is REALLY getting on my nerves. Ashlee thought as she gave Nick a look of irritation. She looked outside and noticed that it was snowing..hard.

"Um..uuuh..I.." she just sighed and put her head in her hands. She couldn't believe this was all happening. The best moment of her life and just been ruined by the weather. Stupid snow! I knew there was a reason why I hated snow.

"Hey, listen. Don't worry about him," AJ said as he walked around the counter. "Guys, why don't you all go get McDonalds or something..there is one close by, right?"

"Uhm, yea. Just go to that light and take a left and keep going straight and there's one just up the road."

"Thank you." Nick replied shortly and walked out as fast as he could.

"Do you two want anything?" Howie, the last one out, asked as he was walking out the door.

"No, thank you," said Ashlee.

"Sure. You know what I like."

"Okay. Hey, everything will be fine and don't worry about Nick. He's just..well..just don't worry about him," he then winked and walked out the door.

Ashlee grinned and let out a little chuckle. "What a dork. Now I can tell my friends that I recieved the famous wink of Howie D."

AJ laughed, "Yea. That's Howard for ya. Now. Where's you outlet box, maybe we could flip some switches and figure something out."

Ashlee took him to the office where the outlet box was. She opened it and the both just stared at it. After a good thirty seconds Ashlee finally looked at AJ.

"Do you know what you're doing?"

AJ looked her with a very serious "Yes I do" face, nodded and said, "I have no clue."

Ashlee laughed out loud. "You're a fool!"

AJ laughed, "Whatever! I can pretend, can't I?"

They both laughed and when the laughed died down to a slight chuckle, AJ sighed and looked at Ashlee.

"You really do look familiar. Have I met you before?"

Ashlee wasn't sure of how to feel about the way he was looking at her at the moment.

"The ONLY time that we could have met was August 2 of this year in Ridgefield. I went to the soundcheck and you made a funny face at me when I took your picture, but I highly doubt that you would remember that."

AJ looked down at his feet and thought, Ridgefield..

Ashlee then turned around and walked outside the office with her head to the floor looking at her feet also. AJ turned and watched her walk out and noticed the tattoo on the back of her neck. He then realized that he DID see her that day.
Chapter 4 by angielynn
Ashlee could not believe this was happening. For the past 8 years she had been too poor to even go see the Backstreet Boys in concert, but now she can and not only is she going to see the concert from the 10th row, but she will also be going to the soundcheck.

“Oh my God. Meemolz, do you realize that we are going to be like..five feet from AJ McLean?!” Ashlee said to her best friend Mia.

“OH MY GOD, I KNOW! Leelolz, this is the BEST weekend EVER.” Mia said to Ashlee.

They both stood in line, along with about 30 other fans, outside the entrance to the amplitheatre, waiting to go inside. After about 15 minutes of great anticipation, the doors opened, and Ashlee’s stomach did about 30 cart wheels. She turned to Mia and they both squeeled and linked arms as they walked in.

They walked in and there they were. The Backstreet Boys. Ashlee and Mia walked a little bit faster to get the closest seat they could get to AJ. As soon as they took their seats they took out their cameras, pictures, and Sharpies. They didn’t want to miss ANY great opportunities.

“Helloooooo Backstreet Fans!” a strange, older voice said. “I’m DJ Nano from Star 98.4. Welcome to the Backstreet Boy’s Soundcheck Party for their Never Gone Tour 2005!”

Ashlee and Mia then tuned out the annoying DJ and focused their attention the boys. They began to take random pictures of the boys. Ashlee turned her camera to AJ, and just as she snapped her picture, AJ stuck his tongue out and closed his eyes. Ashlee put the camera back in her lap in awe of what just happened, eyes still locked with AJ’s and he gave her, what seemed like, a very sincere smile. She smiled back then looked quickly down at her camera as if she was fixing something. She then turned to Mia and said, “AJ just stuck his tongue out at me, and I got a picture.”

“Heck YES!” said Mia. “Keep pictures like that coming!"

After about an hour of questions for the guys and songs from the guys, it was time to take group photos and leave the soundcheck. The boys put their stools away and just as AJ turned around, he couldn’t help but notice the cute girl that he had made the funny face at. She was turned away from him, putting up her long, curly black hair. He instantly fixed his eyes on the beautiful tattoo on the back of her neck. It was a small white heart, about the size of a quarter with wings about three inches long that were beautiful filled with dark rainbow colors. The girl turned around and AJ quickly looked away. Everyone made their way up the front of the stage where the fans took pictures and the boys posed for the fans. The DJ then strated to usher the boys out for a radio interview. AJ tried to procrastinate as long as could so he could at least tell the girl how beautiful her tattoo was, or even perhaps say hello, but he was pushed out as fast the fans were.


AJ walked out of the office and grabbed Ashlee by the arm and turned her around where they were face to face, eyes locked like they were just four months before.
“I do remember you.”
Chapter 5 by angielynn
They stood there for, what seemed like, forever. Ashlee’s heart was racing. I haven’t felt this nervous in a long time..it’s probably just because it’s a Backstreet Boy that I’m staring at.

Eyes still connected with AJ’s, Ashlee said, “Um, I better call my manager and tell him the powers out.”

“Yea. Uhh, good plan,” AJ replied and quickly looked away.

Ashlee walked back into the office and started shifting around papers, trying to find her managers number. AJ put his hands in his pockets and walked back up front to the lobby and sat down. What is it about this girl. We haven’t even formally met. If it wasn’t for her name tag, I wouldn’t even know her name. There’s something about the look in her eyes..Just then his phone rang. It was Brian.

“Hey Bri, what’s up?”

“Just got a call from our friends in higher places. We’re snowed in. The airport’s shut down, all the exits out of here are either shut down or to dangerous to drive on. Looks like we’re spending the night here.”

AJ’s heart did a flip flop.

“Oh, AND, the power is out everywhere. Even at McDonalds. Looks like poor little Nicky poo’s gonna starve to death.”

“Shut up.” AJ heard Nick say in the background.

“Haha, okay, well, go ahead and come back here and we’ll figure out something.”

“Okay, bye!”

“Hey Ashlee! How big is your house?!” he yelled back to Ashlee.

There was no reply, so he got up and went to the office.

“Um, I really don’t want to stay here all day and wait for the power to come back on. If it’s that important to you, you can march your happy butt down here and wait yourself....that’s what I thought. I’ll put all the food away, not that it’ll do much good, but I’ll do it and I’ll call you when I leave...okay bye.”

Ashlee turned the chair toward the office door and saw AJ standing there. She smiled and said, “Can I help you, sir?”

“Actually, yea. The guys and I are stuck here all night. What should we do??”

“Uhm, let me call my driver and tell her to go home and then I’ll call my house and see what my mom’s cooking for dinner..if we have power.”

“How old are you?”

“19"

“And you live with your mother?”

Ashlee gave AJ a very irritated look, “Yeaaaa..only until I graduate college. I’ll be done in June, because I’m just going for photography.”

“Oh, well, I guess that’s okay,” he said with a smile.

She smiled back and said, “Let me call my driver and the mother that I live with and then I can let you know what you all can do, okay?”

“Yes Mam’!”

“Hahahaa..you are too funny, “ Ashlee said sarcastically. She turned around and dialed Lindsey’s number.

AJ caught sight of her tattoo once again. There’s something about that tattoo..I wonder why she has it..
Chapter 6 by angielynn
“Hey Linds, it’s Ashlee!”

“Oh HEY! Oh my GOD! Guess who I just saw! This will really make you excited!”

“Um..let me take a wild guess! The Backstreet Boys!”

“YEA!”

“Yea! I sent them to McDonalds because the power is out here which means! You don’t have to come back!”

“Sweet! Wait! What?! You sent them?!?!”

“I’ll call you later and tell you about it, but I’ve got to put the food away and call my mom. I’ll talk to you later!”

“Okay! Bye!”

“Bye!” Ashlee hung up the phone, picked it back up and dialed home. How the hell am I going to explain THIS to my mother...

“Hello?”

“Hi Mom!”

“Hi sweety!”

“Um..so the power is out here. Do we have power at home?”

“Yes, why?”

“Well. Okay. You’re probably not going to believe this but, um, the Backstreet Boys are kind of here and they’re hungry. One of the guys has his son with him, which means his wife is probably here too and I was just wondering if you could make your sweet fried chicken like you do only make it for like...seven more people.” Ashlee took a breath and waited for her mom to answer.

“Well, you were right when you said that I wouldn’t believe but by the sound of your voice, I’m thinking I should. And I guess I could make dinner. I’ll have to run to the store real fast.”

“Cool! Thanks mom! I just have to put the food away and I’ll be home. Be careful going to the store. It’s pretty white out there.”

“I will! You be careful too! I love you!”

“Love you too!”

She hung up the phone and stood up. She paused for a second so she could gather her thoughts and let everything that was happening sink in.

“You doing okay in there?? Do you need any help with anything.”

AJ’s voice startled her. “Um, I’m fine. And actually,” she said while walking out of the office toward the front, “you can help me put the food away so I can get out of here faster.”

“Sure!”

“I called my mom and she said that she will make all of you guys dinner tonight.”

“Really?!?! Your mom rocks!”

“Heh, I know.”

Ashlee then took him to the make line and showed him where to put everything and how to do it and they got started. After a few moments of silence, AJ decided to break it.

“Um, if you don’t mind me asking, does the tattoo on the back of your neck mean anything?”

Ashlee stopped what she was doing and just starred into the tub of pepperoni she was about to close up. She look at him with a meak smile and damaged looking eyes and asked him, “Do you really want to hear it? It’s pretty much my life story.”

He looked at her with deep sincerity and said, “Yes, I do.”

Ashlee sighed and just then, their moment was broken with the angry voice of Nick raving about McDonalds be closed and him being hungry. Ashlee turned and wiped a tiny tear from her eye hoping AJ wouldn’t notice, but he did.

“Dude, Nick. Calm down. Ashlee said that we can chill at her house. Her mom is going to cook dinner for us!”

Ashlee turned around and for the first time that day she saw Nick smile.

“Really?! Cool! What’s she making?? I love home cooked meals! They’re way better then McDonalds!”

“Oooh man. Then you’re gonna love you dinner tonight. She is making her famous fried chicken with REAL mashed potatoes and gravy.”

That made all the boys happy. Even Bailee.

“Daddy! I want some chicken!!”

“Okay sweety!” he said to his son. He turned to Ashlee, “So how do we get to this place?”

“Um, let me put these few things away and then we can head over to my house.”

“Alrighty.”

Ashlee turned back to the make line and began putting away the rest of the stuff. AJ turned and did the same. When they were done she ushered them all outside and locked the doors behind her.

“So, do you guys just want to follow me then?”

“Sure.” Kevin said.

“How about I go with you, just in case they get lost and they can call me and talk to you, and this way you won’t be by yourself.” AJ said with a smile.

“Um..sure. Well, see you guys in a few!”

And they all got into their vehicles and headed out of the parking lot.
Chapter 7 by angielynn
It was a short distance between work and home, so Ashlee decided that then would not be a good time to tell AJ what her tattoo was for. She came up with little things to talk about to distract him from the topic. They talked about everything from him being on the road all the time, her being in school and the similarities between their mothers.

They arrived to her house about 15 minutes later.

“Now, my house is kind of smaller then what you guys are use to, but no worries! You all will fit!” Ashlee said to AJ as they were getting out of her car.

“I don’t mind.” He said smiling back.

They waited for all the other guys, Baylee and Leighanne before they went into the house. Once they went inside they were greeted by the welcoming smells of Ashlee’s mother’s cooking.

“Hey Ash!” Rhonda, her mother said smiling, “Oh! And hello to you boys..and lady.”

“Hello!” came from all seven guests.

“Mom, this is Brian, Nick, Howie, Kevin, AJ, Leighanne, and Baylee. Guys, this is my mommy, Rhonda”

They all gave Rhonda welcoming hugs and said thank you for letting them come over.

“So, do we get a tour or what??” Nick said walking over to Ashlee.

“Um, sure. Who ever wants to come, can!”

Ashlee led them all through her small, three bedroom house. One room was her mother’s, one was used for a computer room and the last one at the back of the house was hers. They all got excited when they came into her room because everything she had going on. It was a big, but odd shaped room. It was exactly like a rectangle and every part of wall, besides for the ceiling was covered in some sort of theme. One of the smaller walls was a collection of Harry Potter items. At the other end, was an assortment of Broadway shows, school events and Wizard of Oz. On one of the big walls was practically her entire high school life. And on one half of the other long wall was all the concerts she had been to and the other half was a collection of Backstreet Boys memorabilia. Everyone chuckled at this part. Ashlee just turned a nice shade of magenta.

“So, you’re a fan huh?” Howie said.

“Um, yea.”

“Well, you handled yourself pretty well back at your work!” Kevin told her.

“Any other girl would have screamed in our face and passed out!” Howie said laughing.

Ashlee wasn’t too amused by this because even though she didn’t scream, she thought she was gonna pass out when she first saw them.

“Haha, yea. Funny,” she said with a fake laugh. “Well, do you all wanna go back to living room and have something to drink while we wait to eat? And if you don’t mind, I would like to take a quick shower. I’m not a huge fan of smelling like pizza.”

They all laughed and said that that was fine. Ashlee escorted them out to the living room, got them all drinks and set them up with a movie.


About twenty minutes later, Ashlee came back out in her sweat pants and a KISS t-shirt, drying her long hair with a towel. AJ couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she looked, even in her pajamas..

“Well, someone certainly dressed up for the occasion,” he said jokingly.

“Yea, yea. If you don’t like it, don’t look!” Ashlee said with a smile.

They chuckled at this and were interrupted with Rhonda telling them that dinner was ready.

“Alright! I getta have foood! I getta have foood!” Nick sang as he walked to the kitchen.

Ashlee laughed and followed after AJ, which was the last boy to get into the kitchen.


Once everyone ate and was full, they all just sat around talking about everything and nothing. Ashlee excused herself to her room. She was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed with the fact that there was a large amount of people in her house. AJ also excused himself a few moments later and lightly knocked on her door.

“Come in,” he heard her say softy.

Ashlee was sitting on her bed cross legged, hands folded in her lap.

“Did I interrupt anything?”

“No,” she said with a slight smile. She looked down at her hands as AJ sat down right next to her.

“You doing okay, there? You seem..quiet.”

She sighed, “Yea. Just..thinking”

“Oh,” he nodded and looked around her room. He then looked down at his hands and began picking at his fingernails. “Um, so..what exactly is your tattoo for?” he asked after a few moments of silence.

Ashlee sighed and scooted her self to the head of the bed and leaned back on the wall. She patted next to her for AJ to do the same.

“You might as well make yourself comfortable.”

AJ moved next to her and looked at her with extreme curiosity.

Ashlee sighed and took a couple seconds to gather her thoughts. She rested her head on the wall and shut her eyes. Eyes still closed she lowered head and sighed once more.

“All my life, I’d never really had any troubles or hard times. Both of my parents had great jobs, I was an only child, could pretty much do anything when it came to school. Senior class president, lead role in the musical, good grades, no sex, drugs or alcohol. Loved Jesus, the whole nine yards.” She paused for a few seconds.

“Then last October, I was at school rehearsing for the upcoming musical when my mom called me and told me that..that my dad had been in a car accident..and didn’t make it.

“I didn’t know what to do. My only outlet was my boyfriend of nine months, Jacob. Crying hysterically, I left school and drove to his house. Not even knocking I walked in and found him and the captain of the cheerleading squad having sex on his couch.”

AJ sat up and turned toward Ashlee as she wiped away her tears.

“My entire world was crashing beneath me. I ran out the door and got into my car and started driving. I couldn’t believe what was happening. I just wanted out. I grabbed my phone and called up this girl that I knew from my English class. She was well into drugs and I knew that she would be able to fix my pain, so I thought. After that day, my life went down hill. I started with just marijuana, but eventually went into crank, meth, ecstasy..anything to rid my pain. I was going out every Friday and Saturday night, getting high and drinking away my problems. I stopped going to school and church and eventually ran away from home and for about a month, I was living on the streets. I was sleeping under bridges, eating out of garbage cans and selling myself so that I could buy drugs to forget everything.”

Tears were streaming down Ashlee’s face and AJ was fighting back the tears from falling down his. He placed his hand on her hands. Ashlee closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“Three months after the day that my world had crashed, I was walking down Main Street and I ran into the pastor from my church. He took one look at me and just pulled me close. ‘Ashlee. I’ve been praying that I would find you.’

“He took me to his house and from there I began to get better. By April, I was back at my own house, living with my mother, rebuilding the bridge that I had burned with her. I went back to school to get my GED and there, I met my friend Mia. She had gone through just as much as I had in the past six months and we instantly clicked. I graduated June 13, the day that I was five months clean. I was back to loving Christ again and my life and taken a complete 180 and I wanted something to symbolized my new beginning, so..I got this tattoo.”

She looked AJ in the eyes, “My tattoo represents my new life. I have spread my wings and flown away from the nasty road I went down.”

She gave AJ a weak smile and looked back down at her hands and his. He squeezed her hands and with his free hand lifted her face to his and wiped the tears from her cheeks.

“I know exactly how you are feeling and I am very proud that you came out of where you were.”

He pulled her in close. Ashlee let her self go. She hadn’t felt so welcome is another man’s arms since the day her father died and her boyfriend betrayed her. Her new life was becoming new once more.
Chapter 8 by angielynn
“Thank you for listening,” Ashlee said in a hushed and tearful voice..

AJ gently lifted Ashlee up and wiped the tears from her face once more and said, “Thank you for letting me.”

“Uncle Alex!! It’s time for ice cream!! Miss Ashlee! Want so ice cream??”

Ashlee and AJ quickly pulled themselves together as Baylee came running in the room and jumped on the bed.

“Oh my! Excited are we?” Ashlee laughed.

Baylee nodded, “Come on! Let’s go have some ice cream!!”

He grabbed Ashlee by the hand and drug her into the kitchen.

“They want ice cream Miss Rhonda!”

Alex walked into the kitchen patting his stomach, “I’ll have just a small scoop please. I’m still full from dinner!”

Ashlee smiled and walked over to her mom, “Same with me!” She leaned close to her and said, “Thank you so much for doing this. I love you!” And she gave her mom a big hug.

“No problem sweetie! Love you too,” Rhonda said as she kissed her daughter on the head.

Rhonda finished serving up the ice cream and Baylee helped AJ and Ashlee hand out the ice cream. They all sat in the living room and talked about the boys’ come back and some of the fun times they had in the past. Ashlee was soaking in every minute of it and having a blast when her phone rang...

“And I just want you to knoooow, that I’ve been fighting to leet you goo..”

Ashlee struggled to find her phone as fast as she could. For one, she was completely embarrassed. And for two, it was Mia.

“Um, excuse me,” she said politely and walked back to the bathroom.

“OH MY GOD! MEEMOLZ! You will never guess who is sitting my living room right now!”

“Hahaha..the Backstreet Boys,” Mia said laughing.

“Um, actually..yes. I think you need to come over here right NOW.”

“Oh my God. Are you serious?”

“Would I lie to about something this serious??”

“No.”

“Then get over here. And please..be cool about it.”

“Kay! BYE!”

“Bye,” Ashlee hung up laughing to herself.

“WOAH! Sorry! I didn’t know you were in here!”

Nick turned around so fast, he might have gotten whip lash. Ashlee laughed.

“I wasn’t using the bathroom, I was just talking to my friend. Um, so..my friend..Mia. She’s as much of a fan as I am and I told her to come over and she’ll be here in about two minutes..” Ashlee paused and then looked at Nick. “You’re her favorite..along with AJ, but she likes you a little more, and I was thinking maybe you could be the one to open the door when she gets here.”

Nick smiled, “Sure, kiddo. That’s cool.”

“Cool! Thanks!” Ashlee smiled and walked out of the bathroom.

“Hey, Ashlee.”

“Yea.”

“Um, I’m sorry I was a jerk earlier. I’ve just had, um, quite the day..”

Ashlee smiled again, “It’s okay! We all have our days.”

“Thanks.”

Ashlee walked back to the living room and told the guys and Leighanne that Mia was coming over and a few moments later, Nick was back from the bathroom and there was a knock on the door.

“That’s your cue big man,” AJ said to Nick.

Nick walked up to the door, and opened it slowly....
Chapter 9 by angielynn
Mia hung up the phone and grabbed her purse and keys. She is SO lying! This girl’s gonna get a good beating when I get to her house..

Mia walked out to her and as soon as she started it, she off to Ashlee’s. In 5 minutes she pulled into the drive way and noticed a couple of Sunday-Bible-Class type vans parked across the street. What the heck? Oh my God.. What if she’s serious? Mia’s heart started to race. She walked up to the door and knocked. She watched the door knob turn and the door open slowly, “Come on Ash, let me see these Backstreet Boys you speak...of....Oh my...”

“Hi! I’m Nick! Welcome to the home of Ashlee..uuh..”

“Miller,” Ashlee whispered loudly.

“Ashlee Miller!” Nick said excitedly while blocking the door way.

“Hehe..um..hello,” Mia squeaked. She then cleared her throat. “Um, can I come in, it’s um..a little cold out here.”

“Oh. Yea..sorry..”

Mia walked in and saw the entire BSB family scattered amongst Ashlee’s living room.

“Hi!” they all said at once.

“Um, hi,” she smiled and realized that it wasn’t as bad as the movies make it out to be like.

Mia sat down next to Ashlee and she quickly became acquainted with everyone.

A good hour went by before Brian got a call.

“Hello?..Oh! Hey Scott!...Yea, we got dinner....You got us room at where?...the Davenport...” Brian turned to Ashlee and asked, “Is the Davenport a good one??”

“Oh my gosh! Yes! Only the best in town!..and county!”

“What Scott?...Oh yea, we’ll be checking in soon......thirty minutes??..aaaalrighty then..bye.”

“You guys have to go in a half hour?” Mia asked with disappointment.

“Yea..they got us an early flight at 8 in the morning.”

“We’re leaving that early?” AJ looked at Brian then at Ashlee. His stomach sank. I was hoping for a little bit more time with her..he looked down at his hands.

“Yea, dude. We have a show tomorrow, remember??” Nick told him.

“Yea, yea..” he mumbled. Maybe she’s going to the concert.. “Hey, you ladies going to the concert tomorrow?”

Ashlee sighed. “Nope, lack of funds.”

“Oh.” He paused for a moment, then turned to Kevin, “Hey Kev, can I talk to you for a sec?”

Kevin nodded then followed AJ to Ashlee’s room.

“Hey, I think to pay Ashlee back for letting us chill at her house, we should take her and her friend with us.”

“That’s a good idea! I don’t think the other guys would object.”

They walked back and everyone was standing around hugging and saying their goodbyes and thank yous.

“Attention please! AJ has an announcement for you all!!”

AJ gave Kevin a rude look then smiled at Ashlee and Mia, “Kevin and I have decided, since we are the only ones that matter,” he winked at the girls. “Just kidding guys! Any way! We didn’t think the other guys would object with us telling you this, but we are inviting you to join us at our next show. Everything will be taken care of! What do you say girls?”

Mia looked dumbfounded and Ashlee smiled and hugged AJ, “Thank you guy so much!” She turned to Kevin and gave him a hug.

“Yea, I guess that sounds okay,” Nick said smiling.

They spent the next twenty minutes discussing the events for the morning. They all said their good byes once again. AJ was the last one out the door. He handed Ashlee a piece of paper.

“Here’s my number. Call me when you get up so I can wake up.” He smiled and gave her hug. “Thank you so much for everything.” he whispered softly in her ear.

“Your welcome, and thank you,” she whispered back. “I’ll call you in the morning,” she said as she let go of him.

“Kay,” he said as he turned to give Mia a quick hug. “Nice meeting you. See you tomorrow morning!”

“Bye!” The girls said and waved to them as they drove off.
Chapter 10 by angielynn
Once everyone left, Ashlee and Mia went to Mia’s house and got everything they needed. By the time they returned to Ashlee’s house it was 11:30.

“Oh my gosh! It’s almost midnight and we have to get up at butt o’clock in the morning,” Ashlee said as she plopped down on her bed. “I think I’m just going to get ready in the morning.”

“Good plan, Stan.” Mia turned off the light and the got and settled into bed.

A good couple minutes went by and Ashlee could not stop thinking about AJ.

“Mia?” she said softly, “Are you still awake?”

There was no answer. Ashlee sighed and turned on her side away from Mia. I wonder what’s going to happen this weekend? Ashlee closed her eyes and in just a few moments she was sound asleep.



“It’s my turn to have my own room!” AJ announced when they walked into the hotel.

“Haha, fine!” Howie said to AJ and patted him on the back. “It’s aaall yours!”

They got there keys and headed straight to their rooms, too tired to say anything other then, “See you in the morning.”

AJ set his bags on floor next to the bed.

“What a day,” he said to himself.

As soon as he was in bed, his thoughts turned toward Ashlee. That girl has gone through as much, if not more in the last year, then I have my whole life. And she pulled herself out of it. AJ shook his head in amazement and turned onto his stomach and buried his face into the pillow. He couldn’t stop thinking about her..the way her hair flowed when she walked, the smell of her shampoo when he hugged her, the way she hugged him.. He hadn’t felt such a sincere hug in quite sometime, other then from his mother. AJ sighed and within 5 minutes he was asleep.



“But with out you all I’m going to be is...Incompleete...”

“That’s good guys, let’s do it again,” AJ mumbled.

“But with out you all I'm going to be is...Incompleete...”

“Noooo. The whole thing, not just that one part,” he mumble again.

“But with out you...”

AJ woke suddenly and realized his phone was ringing.

“Hello?” he said in a groggy voice.

“Good morning my sunshiny flower!!!”

“Hahaha! Good morning buttercup!”

Ashlee laughed, “Wake up! It’s 7! Don’t you need to be somewhere at 8??”

“Oh my GOD! Yes!! Why didn’t you call me sooner????”

“Well. I did. I’ve been calling since 6:30.”

“Oh.” There was a knock at there.

“Alexander James! Get your ass out of bed!”

AJ groaned, “Dude! Nick! Shut up! I am out of bed! Kay Ash, we’ll be to your house in 15 minutes!”

“15??? Are you sure??”

“Yes, I am!”

“Haha! Okay..see you then!”

“Bye!”

“Bye!”

AJ flew out of bed, pulled his pants on, brushed his teeth and threw on a hat and within four minutes, walked out the door. All the guys were waiting in the hallway.
“It’s about time!” Brian said. “Come on, lets go get the girls."



Ashlee was saying her goodbyes to her mother when there was a knock on the door.

“That’s them! I love you, Mom!” She kissed her mom and grabbed her stuff. Mia walked over and gave Rhonda hug.

“Love you, Mom!”

They laughed and hugged one more time before opening the door and walking out the vans.



They all arrived at the airport at 7:55 and boarded there plane.

“Wow. So this is what first class looks like,” Mia said approvingly. “Where are we sitting?”

"Well, I thought that Ashlee could sit by me and you could sit on the other side of her.”

“Only if I get window!”

They all took their seats. Nick, Howie and Kevin sat in front of AJ and the girls, and Brian, Leighanne and Baylee sat behind them. At about 8:30, they were on their way to Tacoma.

“I’m really tired, so I’m just going to sleep, kay?” Mia told Ashlee.

“Yea, that’s fine. I think I may sleep myself.”

They both got pillows and blankets. Mia rested her head against the window. Oh great. Now how am I suppose the sleep. She looked at AJ. Hmm...

“Um..you don’t mind if while I’m sleeping my head finds it’s way to your shoulder do you?” she smiled.

AJ smiled back and said, “No, that’s fine.”

“Cool.”

As soon as Ashlee’s head hit that pillow, she was out like a light.



“Hey Ash. Want some? It’s only the best you can find. It will make you forget about EVERYTHING.” Nick past her his pipe.

She looked down at it.

“I..I don’t think..”

“Take a hit. Now.” Nick grabbed her arm and put the pipe up to her mouth. Some how he was controlling her. He was controlling her every move. She couldn’t breathe..she couldn’t even blink. She unwillingly put the pipe in her mouth. Nick raised the lighter and as soon as he clicked the lighter, there was a loud explosion.
Chapter 11 by angielynn
Ashlee jerked awake.

“Ashlee! Oh my God, are you okay?!” AJ was turned toward her with a fearful look. He grabbed his sweater and wiped the sweat from her forehead. Ashlee gently pushed him away.

“Please don’t,” she said quietly. “Not right now.”

She leaned forward and put her head in her hands.

“Did we just land?”

“Yes,” AJ said softly. He put his hand on her back and leaned down so that he could whisper in her ear, “Are you okay?”

“No,” she choked out. Tears were slipping their way out of her hands. AJ pulled her in close, “What ever it is, I want to help.”

“Leeloz? What’s the matter?” Mia said with a tired voice.

“Um, I had another one of those dreams, only it wasn’t with Jacob.”

"Ash, come here..”

Ashlee looked up at AJ and gave him a half smile for a thank you and turned toward Mia. As soon as she looked at Mia, the tears came back again. Mia gave her a hug, “Who was it?”

“Nick,” she whispered.

“Hey! We’re here!” Nick shouted when he woke up. He turned around to share the good news and saw that Ashlee was upset.

“Oh, hey dude. Are you okay?” he said gently.

“She’s fine, I think she just had a bad dream,” AJ told him.

“Oh, well, I hope you fell better.”

Ashlee pulled herself together in time for them to all exit the plane.



The ride to the hotel was silent. Most of them too tired to speak, the rest of them were thinking about what happened on the plane. Ashlee, Mia, and AJ were all sitting in the back of the bus they had rented out for the weekend. Ashlee and Mia were sitting next to each other, Ashlee’s head was on Mia’s shoulder. The dream kept running through her mind. I hope to God this doesn’t mean what it meant last time...

AJ was in the seats across the aisle. He was staring out the window watching the passing cars and the rain falling out the window, thinking about how scared he was when he saw Ashlee before she woke up. She was shaking and sweating, but she felt cold. AJ closed his eyes and didn’t open them until they were at the hotel.



“Hey Scott!” Kevin said to a short, but buff, balding man.

“Hey guys! And gals! Look, just leave you stuff here. I know you’re tired but you got a sound check in a half hour and it takes about that long to get to the venue.”

All the boys groaned.

Scott looked at Ashlee, Mia and Leighanne. “You ladies are more then welcome to come, Baylee too.”

“I think myself and Mia are going to stay here and get ready for the show.”

“I think I’ll stay too. Brian, did you wanna take Baylee?” Leighanne looked at Brian with hopeful eyes.

“Suuure,” he said with a smile.

“Yay! I getta go with Daddy!” Baylee ran and hugged his leg with they strength he could muster.

They all laughed and went their separate ways.

The girls went in and checked into their rooms. When Mia and Ashlee got to their room Ashlee told Mia every thing that happened in the dream.

“So there was an explosion this time?”

“Yes, but I think that was from the landing. But what really scared me was the fact that it was Nick. "What if he uses, Mia? That poses as a threat to both of us. We are both pretty weak right now. Christmas is coming. This will be the first Christmas without my Dad that I’m sober, so I know what’s going on around me. I’m very vulnerable and I’ve had cravings quite often in the last month. I don’t know how I’m going to be able to handle it..”

Mia cut her off, “Ash, maybe the reason why you had the dream is for that reason. Did Nick do anything to get to you yesterday?”

Ashlee nodded.

“Well, there you go. Nick was being a shit head and you’re vulnerable. Everything will be okay.”

“I hope so,” Ashlee said as she was walking into the bathroom to take a shower. She couldn’t get her mind off that dream and Nick. She thought about how he was acting yesterday. He was in a pissy mood all day, then he just snapped out of it. I was that way when I was coming of a high.. I really do hope everything with be okay..
Chapter 12 by angielynn
“Wow. You look..um..very..pretty..” AJ said when he saw Ashlee once the boys got back to the hotel.

“Um..thank you,” she said slightly blushing.

Nick nudge AJ in the ribs.

“Um. OW.”

“Pretty?! Are you 12? You she looks hot, dude. Dining ware is pretty. Chicks are hot.” He laughed and walked away shaking his head.

“And why are you all flustered?” Mia asked as she stepped out of the elevator.

Ashlee laughed, “Because guys are retarded.”

“Haha! Pretty much!”

“I’m ready for some food! Who’s with me?” Kevin asked everyone.

Everyone agreed with Kevin and they all headed out to Domini’s, a gourmet pizza restaurant.

“Oh goody! Pizza!” Ashlee said sarcastically.
AJ laughed and Mia laughed, Nick on the other hand didn’t find it too funny.

“Hold it everyone. Maybe we should let AJ’s princess pick our dinner, because after all, it doesn’t really matter what we all think,” Nick snapped.

“Dude, what the hell is your problem? You were fine, like five minutes ago!” AJ asked Nick.

“Nothing. Can we eat here or not?”

Ashlee shot Nick a look of disgust, “Yea. I really don’t care. It’s not like I was joking or anything.”

Ashlee and AJ were the last ones off the bus. Ashlee grabbed AJ by the arm and pulled him back away from everyone else.

“Um, can I ask you a question?”

“Yea. No problem.”

“Um. Is it possible that uh..Nick uses?”

AJ looked her in the eyes and open his mouth to answer but was interrupted by Mia.

“Do you two maybe want to pick up the pace?”

They both looked at her and walked in the door.

Dinner was very quiet and very uncomfortable for everyone. Hardly anyone talked except Baylee, who did enough talking for all them. Once dinner was done, they went to the coliseum where the concert was being put on, and for the next two hours, everyone completely forgot about the little episode before dinner. Ashlee and Mia hung out with Leighanne and Baylee in the wings while the guys put a fantastic show.



“You guys did an amaz..” Ashlee began, but AJ stopped her.

“C’mon! We have to run! Fast!”

Ashlee and Mia followed AJ and his guard to this bus. They were greeted by about 50 screaming fans.

“Get out of the way!” AJ’s guard yelled to the girls.

“Who are those girls?”

“How come they get to go?”

“Just ignore them,” AJ whispered to Ashlee as they made their way to the bus.

Once inside the bus, they all let out a sigh of relief. They were soon joined by the rest of the group.

“Looks like we getting to the hotel late tonight,” Brian said. And sure enough, they didn’t get back until three hours later.



“Hey, do you mind if I come hang out with you guys for a while? Or at least until Nick leaves. He suppose to be going out and I don’t want to hang out with him until he does,” AJ asked Ashlee.

“Sure, that’s fine,” Ashlee answered.

“Yea, it’s cool. I’m gonna take a shower then go to bed, so as long as you guys aren’t too loud it’s cool.” Mia told AJ and Ashlee.

The three went up to the girls room. They chatted for a bit, then Mia decided to take a shower.

Ashlee began picking up her side of the room when AJ said, “I think he might, Ashlee.”

Ashlee stopped what she was doing.

“Nick has been acting really strange lately,” he continued. “At first I thought that he was just fighting with Paris again, but his mood swings kept getting worse.”

Ashlee came and sat down next to AJ.

“I was talking to Mia last night and I told her that the way Nick was acting was how I would act..AJ..”

“Hey, you can call me Alex. Kay?”

Ashlee smiled. “Okay..Alex,” she said rather humorously.

AJ laughed and looked at Ashlee. They’re eyes met and for the next few moments, they were lost in each other. AJ leaned closer to her and paused. Ashlee’s heart started to race, because she knew what was about to happen but her heart told her to let it happen. AJ moved closer until Ashlee could feel the warmth of his face..

“Well! I see I came out of the shower at the wrong moment!”

Ashlee quickly got off the bed and went back to putting her stuff away.

“We were uhm, just talking. Nothing to worry about,” Ashlee said quickly.

“Uuuh huh,” Mia said with a high pitched voice. “I’m sure,” she smiled at AJ as she walked over to her bag.

“Uhm, I think I’ll get back to my room, I’m sure Nick’s gone by now,” AJ said blushing.

“Okay, goodnight,” Ashlee said blushing, without looking at him.

“Goodnight,” he said without looking at either one the girls. He walked out into the hallway, shut the door and walked slowly to his room thinking about what just happened. With a few seconds he was at room. He opened the door and could not believe what he had just walked into.
Chapter 13 by angielynn
AJ shut the door quickly behind him. Oh my God.. He stood there for a good couple seconds, in shock of what he just saw. I..no..noo..this isn’t happening.. He practically ran to Brian’s room.

“Brian! Open up! I need to talk to you man!” He knocked frantically.

Brian opened the door, “Hey dude, what’s up.”

Tears started to well up in AJ’s eyes. “I..I..”

Brian looked at him with great concern, “AJ....come in..”



“WHAT was that??”

Ashlee smiled and blushed, “Um. Nothing.”

“Hahhaa! Yea right! You march your happy little butt over to his room and talk to him right now.”

Ashlee paused for a moment and looked up at Mia.

“Ya think?”

“Yes,” she said as she pulled Ashlee to her feet. “Go talk to that boy right now!”

Mia practically threw Ashlee out the door. Ashlee smiled and walked slowly to AJ’s room, thinking about what she would say to him. Before she knew it she was at his door. Ashlee became very nervous all of a sudden. Her head began to pound and her stomach twisted in to knots. She raised her hand to the door and knocked slightly.

“Just a minute!”

Ashlee her some shuffling of items and in a few moments Nick opened the door.

“Oh. Hey Ashlee. Come in.”

“Um..okay.”

Ashlee walked in slowly, peeking around the door, looking for AJ.

“Is Al..er..AJ in here?”

“Um..nooo.” Nick sat down on the bed, avoiding eye contact with Ashlee.

He’s awfully fidgety.

“Hey, are you okay?” she asked and sat down on the bed.

Nick stood up and walked to the window.

“Ya. I’m fine. I’m pretty sure he went top Brian’s room. You can go find him there,” he said with a bitter tone.

“Oh, okay. Thank you,” she said quietly and got up to leave, but tripped over Nick’s bag that was at the end of the bed, spilling the contents that were in it. Ashlee looked up at Nick.

“I..I’m sorry,” she said and quickly walked out of the bedroom and straight to Brian’s room. She pounded on the door.

“Alex! Are you in here? Brian? Let me in please,” she said as tears started to fall down her face.

Alex opened the door. It was obvious that he was crying too.

“Oh Alex, I was right..” she said as she put her head in her hands.

AJ started to cry again and pulled her close to him.

Brian walked over and pulled them both into the room.

Leighanne got up and took Ashlee from AJ, “Sit down honey, we have to tell you something.”
Chapter 14 by angielynn
Ashlee sat down on the bed, wiping away her tears. She took a deep breath and looked up from her hands. She could tell the Leighanne and Brian had been crying too.

“Where’s Baylee?”

“He’s with Kevin,” Brian said. “Look, AJ told us about your what has happened in the last year. Don’t be mad, he just thought it would be good for us to know, considering the circumstances.”

Ashlee looked at AJ and gave him and the other two a weak smile and took another deep breath, “I understand.”

“We have all had our concerns, like you, for Nick, only for a few weeks now,” he continued. “It wasn’t until yesterday morning that my concerns were turned fears. Howie came to me early yesterday morning and told me that he walked in on Nick, just as AJ did. He didn’t want to confront him until he had spoken with me first because he feels that I should be the one to talk to him, and we didn’t want to tell the guys until after the show because we didn’t want them all to freak out.”

This would explain why they were telling me all day not to worry about him.. Ashlee stared down at her hands. He’s a rock star. He has everything he could ever want in life. Why would he even need to use drugs?

“Ashlee, are you okay?” Leighanne came and sat down next to her.

Ashlee paused for a moment before asking, “What is so bad in his life that would cause him to use?”

Just then there was a knock at the door.

“Brian. I need to talk to you man. I don’t care who’s in there, they probably should hear this too.”

AJ got off the chair and sat down next to Ashlee and put his arm around her.

“Are you gonna be okay?”

Ashlee nodded, “I’ll be fine.”

Brian opened the door and Nick walked in slowly.

Ashlee fought back the tears as she felt AJ talk a deep breath and wipe away a few of his own.

“Hi guys,” he said meekly. He took a seat at the chair AJ had just left.

They all sat in silence for a couple minutes before Nick said, “Guys, I need help.”

He got up and went straight to Brian. They both began to cry and Brian put Nicks head in his hands, “We are here for you. And we WILL get you help.”

He then pulled him in for hug and Ashlee turned away and closed her eyes. She let her tears fall. She felt get up and join the guys. Leighanne put her arm around her, “Let’s take you back to your room. You need to sleep.”

The girls left in silence. The walk that took place just a few minutes ago from her room to AJ’s seemed a lot shorter this time around. Ashlee gave Leighanne a hug and said good night. When Ashlee got in her room, Mia was asleep so she decided to wait until morning to talk to her. She gathered her pajamas and took a shower. She tried hard not to think about all that just happened, but that was all she could think about. As soon as she was out of the bathroom, she heard faint tapping on her door.
Ashlee opened the door quietly.

“Alex?” she whispered. “Are you doing okay.”

He gave her a slight smile, “Well, I’ve been better.”
Ashlee smiled slightly at this also.

“Hey, do you wanna take a walk with me?”

“Outside?” she said as she looked at him in shock. “It’s like, negative 20 degrees outside!”

“Haha. No, just around the hotel.”

“Well, I guess that will be okay,” she smiled, grabbed her key and shut the door quietly.
Chapter 15 by angielynn
For the first few moments they were silent.

AJ broke the silence and said, “Because tonight was our last show until January, Nick decided he wanted to enter into a rehab center as soon as he gets home.”

Ashlee said nothing. The harsh reality of AJ going home just hit her. She had become so comfortable being around him, that she forgot he lived two states away.

“Are you okay?” he asked as he put his arm around her shoulders.

Ashlee sighed and looked at him, “I..I don’t know. All of this has happened so fast. Meeting you, hanging out with you, almost kissing you, finding Nick with drugs..it’s almost surreal. It’s a little hard to handle. Yesterday morning I was a fan, and now..I don’t know what I’m suppose to be.”

Ashlee pushed the down button for the elevator. It open automatically and they both stepped in. She pushed the lobby button and the doors closed. She sat down, cross legged and continued, “Tomorrow morning, I’m going to go back home to my little city of Spokane and you’re going to go to your big city of Malibu or Orlando..or where ever.”

She paused at the thought of this and looked up at AJ. He grabbed her hands and pulled her to her feet so that they were face to face.

“If you think I’m going to leave and never speak to you again, you’re wrong.” He placed a hand on her face and look into her eyes and said with the most sincerity, “There is something that I like about you Ashlee, and I am not going to let you go.”

Ashlee stared into his deep brown eyes and at that moment she knew that there was something about him also.

The elevator came to a stop. They both watched it opened and they both reached for they highest level button. They looked back at each other and smiled. AJ quickly turned back to the button and pushed it.

“I win,” he said with a smile.

Ashlee smiled back, “You shit head.”

AJ laughed then looked back at her. And as the elevator started to go up, they closed their eyes and shared a kiss that neither one of them had experienced before, full of honesty, trust and passion. When the elevator stopped, they stopped and looked at each other. The door opened and they walked out hand in hand in silence. There was nothing more to be said.
Chapter 16 by angielynn
Mia woke up and found Ashlee sleeping in the chair. What time did she get back last night? She got out of bed and went over to Ashlee, “ Ashlee?” she said quietly as she nudged on her arm. “Leeloz? What are you doing in the chair?”

Ashlee woke up suddenly as the events of last night came quickly rushing to her mind.

“Oh my God. Meemolz,” she got up and pulled Mia to the bed and sat down next to her. “Um, look. A lot happened last night..” And Ashlee told Mia everything that happened the night before.

“Wow.”

“Yea. So, I really don’t know what I’m going to do. I was perfectly content at home and now my entire life has been shaken upside down.”

“Honey, everything happens for a reason, remember that.”

“Yea, I know.” Ashlee got up and looked out the window. “I just don’t want to get hurt again. I know about Alex’s past, and..I don’t know. I’m just scared.”

Mia walked over to her and put her arm around Ashlee’s shoulders, “It will be okay.”

Just then there was a knock at the door. Ashlee looked at Mia and walked to the door. She opened it up to see Nick standing there, tears rolling down his cheeks.

“I..um..” he looked down at his feet, choking on his words. “I’m sorry.” he whispered.

Ashlee’s eyes welled up with tears, “I know exactly how you feel. And it will get better. And..I know we really don’t know each other at all, but I am here for you. I know first hand, how you’re feeling. I’ve been there. Anything you need Nick, I’m here for you.”

Nick looked up and smiled weakly, “Thank you.”

Ashlee reached up an hugged him, “Everything happens for a reason.”

Nick nodded and let go. He looked at her with his broken, blue eyes and smiled slightly, then walked away. She leaned up against the door frame and slid down and sat on the floor. She put her head in her hands and cried silently.

“Ash, are you okay?” Mia asked as she walked over to her.

“Yea. I’ll be fine,” and she looked down the hall to see AJ walking toward her.

“Hey beautiful,” he said with a smile. He sat down next to her.

“I’ll uuh, go get some breakfast,” and Mia walked down the hall.

Ashlee looked at AJ and smiled, “Hi.”

He kissed her softly on the lips, “How are you this morning?”

She sighed and cuddled up into his arms, “Well. I’m not quite sure. I’m rattled by the whole Nick thing..but. Other then that I’m okay.”

AJ sighed and put his head on hers, “I know how you feel.”

They sat there for a good couple minutes in complete silence.

“Look, the other guys are going to fly with Nick to Florida to take him home and get him what he needs, and I know that you and Mia are suppose to go home today, but why don’t you two stay here and hang out with me?”

“Oh, I can’t. I have to go home today. But Ashlee can stay here.”

Mia walked over to the chair a sat down with a plate loaded with food.

Ashlee removed herself from AJ’s embrace and looked at her with disbelief.

“No you don’t. You have nothing going..”

“Yes. I do.” She looked at Ashlee with eyes wider then the donuts on her plate. “And I should probably start packing now. You two..go have fun. Just be back here at three so you can take me to the air port.”

Ashlee looked at AJ and noticed the slight grin on his face as he looked away. She turned to Mia and Mia smiled and winked.

“Ash, you should probably, like, get ready or something. Pretty sure it’s the negatives out there.”

Ashlee laughed, “Oh yea.”

“Haha! Me too. Just meet me at my room in 20 minutes, kay?”

“Okay,” Ashlee smiled and watched him walk out the door.
She gathered up her clothes and walked to the bathroom and shut the door. She paused for a moment then opened the door again.

“Thanks, Meemolz.”

“You’re welcome, Leelolz.”
Chapter 17 by angielynn
AJ and Ashlee walked down the street, hand in hand.

“So, now what do you want to do? We’ve been to every shoe, hat and sun glasses store,” Ashlee smiled and looked her watch. “Oh, just joking! It doesn’t matter what you want to do, we have to go meet everyone at the hotel and take them to the air port!”

AJ made a pouting face, “Aaaw, do we hafta?”

“Yes, dear. We hafta,” she said mimicking him and taking his cheeks, making a fish face.

AJ laughed, “Gerroff meeh!”

Ashlee laughed then jumped when she heard a loud, high pitched scream.

“OH MY GOD! IT’S AJ MCLEAN!”

About ten girls around the age of 16 came running toward them, a couple of them had tears running down their cheeks. Ashlee struggled to contain her laughter.

“Uh..hi ladies,” AJ said awkwardly.

They all started talking at once, shoving paper and pens in his face. For the next 15 minutes Ashlee stood off to the side watching AJ sign every ones paper, take every ones picture and hug each and every girl.

“Alrighty girls, it was nice meeting you all, but I have to go now. Have a nice day.” He smile and walked her to Ashlee. He grab her hand and whispered in her ear, “Sorry about that.”

“Who the hell does that girl think she is??” they heard one of the girls yell toward them. Ashlee laughed and shook her head.

“Girls.”

AJ laughed, “Yea. Girls.” He smiled and gave Ashlee a quick kiss.

Ashlee smiled and looked back at the group of girls. She smiled wider when she say the look on the faces.



“Okay now, don’t be here too long, you have to work next this Thursday.”

“I know Meemolz. It’s only Sunday. I think I’ll be fine. Love you!”

Mia laughed. “I love you too, Leelolz! Have fun with Captain Hottie!”

Ashlee laughed and gave Mia a hug. Mia walked to her line and blew an over exaggerated kiss. Ashlee did the same and started to walk to where the guys were, but stopped when she saw Nick sitting by himself. The other guys were on the other side of the sitting area, obviously in deep conversation about something.

“Hey you. How’s it going?”

Nick looked up and smiled weakly, “Oh, I’ve been better. Listen. I really am sorry for what all happened this weekend.”

Ashlee put her hand on his back and rubbed in lightly. “It’s okay.”

Nick looked up at Ashlee. There was something about her touch that made him feel weak inside, like she was the release that he had been longing for. He didn’t need sex, drugs or alcohol. He needed her. Nick smiled slightly and looked down and before Ashlee had time took look away, Nick turned and kissed her softly on the lips.
Chapter 18 by angielynn
Ashlee quickly pushed Nick away.

“Um. Uh, what..I..excuse me..”

Nick’s heart sunk. What did I just do? I know AJ’s into her, and she’s into him. Oh my God.. Nick put his head in his hands. Tears began to well in his eyes. “I just want to go home,” he whispered to himself.



“Excuse me fella’s.”

Brian couldn’t believe what he just saw. Nick is lucky that AJ’s back was turned to him.. Brian looked around the lobby. Where did Ashlee go? He spotted her sitting by the window, watching Mia’s plane leave.

“Hey, are you okay? I saw what just happened.”

Ashlee continued looking out the window, avoiding eye contact with Brian is hopes he wouldn’t see her crying.

“I don’t know,” she said quietly. “I’m wondering why I didn’t get on that plane with Mia. I don’t belong here. Since I’ve been here, I’ve caused nothing but trouble. Nick’s leaving and probably won’t be allowed back when Alex find’s out what he just did.” Ashlee wiped her tears and turned to face Brian. “And who’s to say that he’ll do anything at all. I’ve heard about the things both of these guys do. They “hook up” with some girl and then leave town. I can’t handle that right now. I just don’t think..”

“I think you think too much,” Brian said smiling. He smile quickly faded when he saw the look on Ashley’s face. “Look, you are here for a reason. God wants you here for a reason, Ashlee. I don’t know if you even realize how much you did for all of us this weekend. You saved my best friend. If you wouldn’t have come with us, Alex wouldn’t have shared a room with Nick. And all that stuff you hear about those two, don’t believe a word. Well, Nick, yes. But that has to do with the drugs. He was doing anything, and any one for that matter, to find the best he could get. But Alex, he left that in the past. And there is something about you. I haven’t seen him this happy in a long time. So quit second guessing yourself. You’re here for a reason.” He smiled and gave her a hug.

Ashlee returned the hug and said, “Thank you,” quietly in his ear.

“Yo! B-Rok! Get your ass over here!”

“Yea. That Alex his quite the catch.”

Ashlee laughed. “You better going before he comes over and carries you to the plane himself.”

They walked over to where the rest of the guys were standing. Nick was standing off to the side, looking out the window. Ashlee watched him for a moment, then looked away when AJ pulled her in next to him.

“Did you say good bye to Nick?”

“Um, yea.” She said akwardly.

“Okay. I’m going to go say good bye. I’ll be right back.”

Ashlee watched him walk over and hug Nick good bye. She watched all the guys fight back their tears as they said good bye. Leighanne walked over to Ashlee.

“It was really nice meeting you and I hope to see you again.” She gave Ashlee a hug and her and Baylee both said good bye and walked to the other guys to say good bye to AJ. After about five minutes of hugging , crying and joking around, AJ and Ashlee waved and walked to the window to watch the plane take off. They sat in silence , both lost in their own thoughts for almost thirty minutes, until the plane was out of sight. Alex turned around and sat down in his chair. Ashlee turned to where she was facing him. There were tears coming from the corner’s of his eyes. As she struggled to keep her tears in, she reached up and wiped his cheeks. He turned to face her.

“I know this whole situation may be awkward, but I am truly thankful for you being here. I don’t know how I would have handled it if you weren’t here.” He smiled and placed his hand on the back of her neck. “Thank you.”

Ashlee smiled. “You’re welcome.”

AJ starred into her eyes and for a moment, was lost in her dark green eyes. He closed his eyes and kissed her passionately. Ashlee embraced him, arms around his neck. She ran her fingers through his short, slightly curly hair. Breathless, they stopped and looked at each other.

“I could stay like this forever,” Ashlee said quietly.

“I could stay with you forever.”

Taken aback, Ashlee just starred. She didn’t know how to respond. Thoughts of Jacob and their relationship began to flood her mind. She didn’t want to get hurt again, and she certainly didn’t want to hurt someone else.
Chapter 19 by angielynn
Ashlee sighed as she held in her tears.

“What’s wrong, Ash?”

“I..” she paused for a second and looked down. She sighed once more and looked back up at AJ. “I’m scared, Alex.”

“Scared of what?” He asked with a slight quiver in his voice.

“I’m scared, because I don’t want to go through what I went through with Jacob. I don’t want to have to deal with that kind of pain again.”

AJ wiped the tears away from Ashlee’s eyes.

“I’m not going to hurt you. If you’re worried about what I’ve done in the past, don’t. That’s the past. The only thing you have to worry about is me actually letting you go home on Wednesday.”

Ashlee smiled.

“I really like you Ashlee, and I’m not going to let anything like that happen to you,” he said with sincerity and lightly kissed her forehead.

Ashlee smiled and nodded.

“Come on, let’s go have some fun. I’m sure there’s a few things we can do between now and Wednesday.”



A month had passed since that weekend in Tacoma. AJ had flown to Spokane every weekend to spend time with Ashlee, even New Years Eve, but this weekend would be the end of Nick’s stay in rehab so Ashlee knew that he would be unable to make it. It was Thursday night and Ashlee was sitting in her room listen to the mixed cd AJ had made her for Christmas (She insisted that he didn’t spend any money on her, because she knew she’d be unable to buy him anything), going through pictures for her final project for school. As she was thumbing through pictures, she came across a picture she had forgotten she took. It was a picture of AJ sitting on her back porch, smoking a cigarette. He was leaning over, elbows resting on his knees, looking off in the distance. Ashlee remembered taking this picture.


Ashlee turned around the corner to see AJ sitting on the bench, placed outside on her back porch. It was obvious that he was in deep thought. She couldn’t help but notice how good looking he was at the moment. Remembering the camera in her hand, she took a picture. The flash brought AJ out of his own little world.

“Hey beautiful.”

“Hey! What are you doing out here? It’s cold.”

Ashlee walked over to him and sat down beside him. He held up his cigarette and smiled.

“Yea, yea. That’s gross you know...and you're killing yourself slowly,” Ashlee smiled.

AJ chucked, “Yea, whatever. You know you think it’s hot.”

“Yea, I guess so.” She smiled again and kissed him.

“Mmm, nothing like second hand cigarette.”

They both laughed.

“So, what were you thinking about?”

AJ sighed and looked at Ashlee.

“You,” he said with a smile.

“Aaw, really?” Ashlee smiled back.

“Yea,” he blushed and looked away.

“Wait a minute. What’s up with you?”

He turned back to Ashlee and looked her in the eyes. He paused for a moment a took a deep breath.

“I love you.”

Ashlee paused for a moment.

“W-what?”

“I..I know we’ve only know each other for a month but..I love you.”

Ashlee smiled.

“I love you, too.”



Ashlee had been so caught up in that moment, she had forgotten about the picture she took just a week ago. Her thoughts of AJ were now interrupted by her phone ringing.

“Hey baby.”

“Hey beautiful, whatchya doing?”

“Nothing exciting, just homework.”

“Fun stuff. Hey, you have all weekend off right?”

“Yes, I always do. Why?”

“Well, Nicky gets out of rehab this weekend and I thought that maybe you could go down to Florida with me and the other guys to welcome him home.”

Ashlee hesitated for a moment. Maybe him kissing me was just the drugs. Yea. I’m sure he’s over that..

“Baby?”

“Wha..yea..sure! I would love to.”

“Whew. Glad you said yes. Hurry up and get your stuff ready, because I don’t have all day.”

“What do you mea..”

“Just like I said.”

“Alex!”

Ashlee jumped off her bed and ran to her door.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were here?” She said as she wrapped her arms around AJ.

“Because I wanted to see the look on your face,” he said returning her embrace.

Ashlee smiled.

“I love you.”

AJ smiled back.

“I love you too,” he said as he kissed her softly. “Come on, lets get your stuff together. The plane leaves in and hour and a half.”
Chapter 20 by angielynn
Ashlee and AJ arrived at the hotel in Tampa at one o’ clock in the morning, Florida time. Ashlee threw her stuff on the floor and then herself on the bed.

“I. Am. WIPED.”

AJ lied down on the bed next to her.

“Egh..me too.”

Ashlee turned over to face AJ and smiled. At that moment she became overwhelmed with a memory from the night before her father died.


Ashlee was lying in the bed next to Jacob. She looked over at him and smiled. Jacob smiled back and reached over and kissed her. She returned the kiss and moved closer so the that her body was close to his. Ashlee ran her fingers through his hair as his hand made his way down her slender stomach. Ashlee stopped and looked at him. Jacob looked her in the eyes. Ashlee looked away and thought to herself for a moment.

“Baby?” Jacob took her chin with one hand and brought it so that he could look at her. “What’s the matter?” He asked wiping away the tear coming out of the corner of her eye.

Ashlee smiled. “I love you.”

Jacob smiled back. “I love you, too.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead.

“I’m rea..*sigh*..I’m ready to..”

Jacob brought his finger to her lips. “Shhh.”

He kissed her gently on the lips, and then began to kiss her neck. He unbuttoned her shirt and worked his way down to her waist. He looked back up at her. She smiled softly. He smiled back and began unbuttoning her jeans.

“WAIT! I can’t.”

“What?”

“I just..I don’t think this is a good idea. Not right now. I’m sorry.”

She sat up and buttoned her shirt back up.

“I’m sorry, Jacob.”

Ashlee got up and grabbed her bag. As she was walking out the door, Jacob grabbed her by the hand.

“It’s okay. I will wait for you. I love you.”

“I love you too.” She smiled and walked out the door.



The next day Ashlee would walk in to find Jacob having sex with some one else.

No, wonder why he said he would wait, she thought bitterly.

“Ash, are you okay?”

Ashlee looked at AJ.

“Alex, I really hope that you’re not..expecting anything from me.”

“The only thing I expect, is that you be who you want to be. I don’t want you to live your life aiming to please me. I did that way too much myself, it’s not fun. I only want you to be happy.”

Ashlee smiled and cuddled up in his arms. Within ten minutes both of them would sound asleep.



It was a hectic morning trying to get ready. Having to be at the rehabilitation center at ten o’ clock, waking up at 9 o’ clock posed a slight problem. 45 minutes later, they walked into the center to see the rest of the guys there and a tall, very slim and very blonde woman standing in a corner talking on her cell phone.

“What the hell is SHE doing here?” AJ said loudly.

“Calm down, AJ. Apparently her and Nick talked over this last month, and they’re going to try and work things out.” Brian said walking over to Ashlee and AJ.

The tall blonde put her phone in her purse and turned around, Ashlee almost choked on her own saliva.

“Paris Hilton?” She whispered to AJ, not taking her eyes off Paris.

“Alex! It’s so good to see you? Who’s your cute friend?” Paris walked over to the two of them.

“Hello, Paris.” AJ said with a bitter tone. “This is my girlfriend Ashlee. Ashlee, this is Paris.”

Ashlee stuck out her hand. “Nice to mee..”

“Oh goodness! Forget hand shaking! Give me a hug!” She pulled Ashlee in for a very unwelcomed hug. “You saved my baby’s life! He’s told me so much about you!”

Ashlee looked back at the other guys with complete confusion.

“Um, yea.” Ashlee said as Paris finally let go.

“Excuse me, are you all here for Mr. Carter?” A short, grey haired lady asked from behind the desk.

“Yes,” replied Howie.

“Okay. Just go straight through that door and take a left at the first entry way. He will be waiting there for you.”

Howie and Kevin were the first two to walk in, followed by Brian and AJ, leaving Ashlee to walk with Paris.
Ashlee smiled at Paris. Paris simply looked at her and stopped her before they were about to walk through the door.

“Nick told me what happened in the airport. If you even look at him in my presence, I will ruin your life faster then you got it back together.” And she walked through the door, pulling a handkerchief out of her purse.

Ashlee followed behind her, knowing this was going to be the longest weekend of her life.
Chapter 21 by angielynn
“My Nicky!” Paris ran to Nick, almost knocking AJ and Howie off their feet and shoving Brian out of the way, and threw herself on him. “Oh Nicky, I missed you,” she sobbed.

“Oh isn’t that sweet,” Ashlee said with disgust and complete hatred to AJ.

AJ looked at Ashlee in shock. He opened his mouth to speak, but couldn’t find the words to do so.

“Ashlee?” she heard Nick choke out quietly.

Ashlee looked over and Nick and remembered why she came. She smiled softly and walked over to him. Nick pulled her in close and wrapped his arms around her.

“Thank you so much for coming,” he whispered in her ear.

“You’re welcome.”

She pulled away gently and walked back over to AJ.

“Well buddy, you ready to go?” Brian said as he patted Nick on the back.

“Am I ever!”

“I say we celebrate! My treat!” Paris said excitedly.
AJ and Ashlee looked at each other.

“Are you joking me?” Ashlee mouthed to AJ.

“Just remember, it’s for Nick,” he whispered in her ear.

He turned to the other guys and smiled. “Where to?” He asked Paris.

“Where do you wanna go, Nicky? Clink’s?”

“Sounds good to me!”

“Good! I guess well all just meet you there!” Paris turned to Nick and smiled.

“She’s really not that cute,” Ashlee told AJ as they were walked out of the rehab center.

“And she’s kind of a bitch.”

“Kind of?” she said bitterly.

“Speaking of which, why did you come looking like you had just thrown up?” AJ opened the car down for her to get in. Ashlee waited until he got in to tell him about her talk with Paris.

“Because I almost did.” She stopped for a moment before telling him the rest. She still hadn’t told him about what Nick did at the air port, but figured she might as well right now. “Okay. First off, that day we sent Nick down here, in the air port..he, um..kissed me.”

AJ’s eyes got wide and he turned to her, “He what?!”

“Don’t get mad! It was probably just the drugs! I’m not worried about it and neither should you be.”

AJ breathed deeply, “Continue.”

Ashlee sighed, “Anyway. Just as we were about to walk in to see Nick, me and Paris, she stopped me and said, ‘Nick told me what happened in the airport. If you even look at him in my presence, I will ruin your life faster then you got it back together.’”

“Are you fucking serious?! I hate that woman. I absolutely hate that stupid bi...”

“Baby! Woah!” Ashlee interrupted. “Honey, it’s okay. I’ve dealt with girls before. I’m thinking I’ll be able to handle it.”

“But you don’t know this girl. She is nasty. Why do you think Nick started to doing drugs in the first place?”

Ashlee shook her head and shrugged her shoulders.

“You know how they dated, then broke up?”

“Yea.”

“Well, they got back together right after our CD came out. Nick was so happy. He treated her like a queen for the next month, then one night, they were at a bar here in town, drinking, singing kareokee and what not. Nick decided that that would be the perfect time to proclaim his love to her. So, he got up on stage and sang some stupid love song, and asked her to marry him.”

Ashlee looked at AJ speechless.

“Yea,” he agreed to her facial expression. “It gets worse. Nick finished the song and walked over to her. He said the whole ‘I love you’ thing. All Paris did was look at him in disgust. She told him that that was the most humiliating thing she had ever gone through and that she really never liked him in the first place. She was just using him to help gain more fame. She was spending his money and wasting his time to get everything she wanted. It was obviously a waste of her time, too because no one even knows about them getting back together.”

“Are you joking me? I hate people.”

“I know, which is why I’m not happy about her being here.” They pulled into the parking lot for the restaurant. “We’re here.”

“Um, Alex. They’re closed.”

“What?”

“There is no one here and the sign says closed.”

AJ looked at her.

“That’s impossible, they use to come her all the time. Paris is regular which is why she...which is why she wanted to come here.” AJ slammed his hand on the steering wheel. “Dammit!”

AJ grabbed his phone from his pocket and dialed a number.

“Brian? Where are you?”

“Pulling in. Where’s everyone else?”

“Fuck! Just park. Looks like the other two are right behind you. I’m thinking we’ve been screwed.”

Ashlee and AJ got out of the car, as did Kevin, Brian and Howie.

“Paris knew they were closed today,” AJ said as they walked over to the other three.

Brian pulled out his phone and dialed who she assumed was Nick.

“Nick, this is Brian. Call me back, bye.” He shut his phone and looked at AJ. “Voice mail.”

“Where the hell is he?!” AJ put his head in his hands and shook his head. Ashlee look at Brian with concern. She walked over to him and put her arm around his waste.

“Please, Ashlee. Not right now,” he said with his head still in his hands. Ashlee looked at him in disbelief then at Brian. Brian could tell that she was hurt. She looked at Kevin and Howie and smiled weakly.

“I’ll be waiting in the car,” she said quietly and walked away.

AJ looked back at her as she walked away. “Great, not even ten minutes of those two being together, and shit’s hitting the fan.” He turned to the other guys, “We’ll just meet you at the hotel, we can all talk and each there.”

The other guys nodded and left right away.

AJ slowly walked back to car and got in.

“I’m sorry.”

With out looking at AJ she said softly, “I would like to go home now. I welcomed back Nick and now I would like to go home.”
Chapter 22 by angielynn
“Ashlee,” AJ reached over and grabbed her hand. “Baby, I’m sorry. I just...I’m not very happy about Paris being here. I know what her intentions are and it kills me that Nick is falling for it again. I didn’t mean take it out on you. I’m sorry.”

Ashlee looked at AJ and smiled softly.

“It’s okay. I don’t actually want to go home. I just don’t want to deal with her either.”

AJ smiled and leaned over and kiss Ashlee softly on the lips.

“Kay, so. Let’s just head back to the hotel, we can grab something to eat there.”

“Sounds good.”



“What the hell is all this?” AJ said as him and Ashlee pulled into the parking lot.

“Uuum, I don’t think it a good thing. Remember how we wanted to keep our relationship as private as possible…”

“Un-fucking-believable.”

AJ looked at Ashlee.

“What ever you do, don’t look at anybody; don’t say anything to anybody, just get to the room as fast as you can.”

Ashlee nodded and opened the door, but shut it quickly and quietly.

“Wait. What if I go first, and you just stay here until I’m in the hotel. They won’t know who I was until I am...well, not there.” She said smiling.

“Good plan! See you in a few.”

Ashlee slowly got out the car. She looked around and gathered herself together.

“Ooookay,” she sighed. “I hope this works.”

She walked through the enormous crowd of what seemed to be a mixture of fans and paparazzi. When she opened the door to the hotel she couldn’t believe what she was seeing.

“I should have taken the back way.”

“Ashlee! Come here sweetie!”

Paris ran over to Ashlee and gave her an extremely fake hug. She then pulled her over to stand with her and Nick. Ashlee glared at Nick and he just shrugged.

“America, you will all be saddened to know that two of your favorite single Backstreet Boys are taken. Not only have me and Nick patched things up...”

Ashlee’s eyes got wider and every muscle in her body became tenser with each word she spoke.

“..But your bad boy AJ McLean is now off the market also.”

Nick started cough and Ashlee just smiled awkwardly.

“Um…yea. Thanks,” she said to Paris. “Nice meeting you all, I have to go now.”

As Ashlee started toward the elevator she heard at least a dozen reporters scramble toward the entrance.

“AJ!”

“Mr. Mclean!”

“Is it true that you are dating at this moment?”

“What is her name?”

“How long have you two been dating?”

Ashlee turned and looked at AJ in horror.

“Excuse me, but when I feel that I want to discuss my personal life with you, I will call you.”

AJ pushed his way to Ashlee.

“Excuse me,” he said as he bumped into a tall blonde woman. “Sor...you! You did this!”

Paris smiled at AJ, and then turned back to Nick and the reporters and their camera men.

AJ ran to Ashlee.

“We’re taking the stairs.” He grabbed her hand and pulled into the hallway.

Once they were clear of all people, AJ slammed his hand on the way.

“I can’t believe her!”

“Oh my God! Alex! Stop it! It will be okay!”

“I wanted to let the public know that we were dating on my own time, not hers. Publicity. That’s all she wants. And Nick is so stupid that he’s going to fall for it again. I’m not going to let her do this again.”

AJ looked down at his hand. It was bleeding.
“Shit!”

“Let’s just get back to the room. You call Brian and I’ll call the front desk and have them bring up a first aid kit.”

AJ nodded.



The walk up to their room a silent one. Once in, Ashlee called the front desk.

AJ took out his phone and dialed Brian’s number.

“Hey Brian, um. Are you here yet?...No? Well…take the back way up. You’ll see why when you get here. Bye.”

Ashlee looked at AJ and smiled softly.

“They’re bringing it up. It make take a few, apparently there’s something going on down there.”

AJ laughed at this then put his head in his good hand.
Ashlee scooted over to him and put her arm around him.

“It’ll be okay, baby. I promise.”

AJ nodded and put his head on her shoulder and the sat in silence for a few moments.

“Is it always this nuts?” Ashlee said finally.

“What?”

“Being a pop star?”

AJ smiled. “Yea, and it’s even more nut when you’re dating someone who isn’t a pop star.”

AJ looked at Ashlee.

“We’ve never actually talked about the crazy parts of us dating. Now that people know we’re dating, things are going to change.”

Ashlee sighed.

“I know. But, I don’t care. I love you and that’s really all I care about.”

“Kay, good.” He smiled. After a few moments he looked at her with a big grin on his face. “Oh, and I love you, too.”

She laughed, “You’re a dork.”

“AJ! Ashlee!” There was a knock at the door. “It’s Brian. Let me in! Some one is following me!”

AJ ran to the door and let Brian in and shut the door.

“Where are Kevin and Howie?

“They’re coming. What is going on?!”

AJ looked at Ashlee then at Brian.

“Brian, we have a…uh…situation on our hands. And with your wittiness, you can help us.”

Brian raised his eye brows.

“Great.” He said flatly.
Chapter 23 by angielynn
“Don’t give me that look, Bri.”

“Well, I don’t know if I want to get involved...”

“Um, hello?” There was a knock at the door. “Brian! Why were you running away from me?”

“Egh,” Ashlee rolled her eyes and opened the door with out looking at Nick.

“Well hello to you too.”

“I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t be too happy with me if I called all the news stations and news paper reporters and pretty much everyone in the town and their DOG to announce that you just came out of rehab.” Ashlee walked up to Nick and looked at him with extreme anger, “I don’t know what you see in that woman, but she is NOT good for. You would think you would have realized it the first TWO times she dumped you on you’re ass.”

“Ash, calm down.” AJ walked over to Ashlee and grabbed her arm gently.

“No, Alex. This is bull shit. I want to leave. I don’t care where I go at this point and time, but until the idiot realizes what’s good for him and what isn’t, I’m done.”

“What’s going? Why are you yelling? Are you upset, sweetie?” Paris walked in the room and put her around Nick’s waist.

“Not now,” he whispered in her ear.

Ashlee smirked, “You have GOT to be kidding me. Excuse me.” Ashlee pushed her way around Nick and Paris.

As soon as Ashley got into the hallway, her phone rang.

“Hey, Lindsey! What’s up?”

“Um…I…I think you need to come home,” Lindsey said quietly.

“Why? Are you okay?”

There was silence for a few moments.

“Um…Mia..” Lindsey began to cry.

Ashlee’s heart dropped to her stomach.

“Mia…sh-she was in a c-car accident.”

“W-what?” Ashlee said quietly. “Is she okay?”

“Uh…n-no.”

“Oh my God.” Ashlee could feel the tears streaming down her face. “I will be there as soon as I can.”

Ashlee hung up the phone and sat down on the floor slowly.

“Ashlee? What’s wrong?” Howie walked around the corner followed by Kevin. As soon as Howie saw Ashlee he rushed to see what was wrong.

“I have to go home.”

Howie knew she didn’t feel like talking about why. “Okay. Let’s get your stuff, and Alex, and we’ll take you to the airport.

Ashlee nodded and allowed Howie and Kevin to help her to her feet.

Ashlee felt weak and dizzy. She held on to Kevin to get from falling.

“Oh my God, Ashlee! Baby, what’s wrong?”

AJ ran over to Ashlee and she fell into his arms.

“It’s Mia,” she began to sob uncontrollably. “S-she was i-in a car a-accident. I need to go h-home.”

“Okay, baby.”

“Well as exciting as this is. Nick, can we go. I need to feed Tink.”

Nick stood there, thinking about what Ashlee had said just moments before. He looked at Ashlee then back at Paris.

“No.”

“Excuse me?” she said bewildered.

“I said no. I really don’t know why I called you in the first place. I’m not dealing with you anymore. I’m sorry Paris. I’m done.”

Paris stared at Nick blankly.

“Bye,” he said flatly and waved good-bye in her face.

“Well, at least you caught on sooner this time. I’ll give you that much.” And she walked out.

Ashlee looked at Nick and smiled lightly. He smiled back and walked over to her.

“Thank you. That’s twice you’ve saved my life.” He pulled her into a huge hug. “I wish I knew someway to repay you.”

“I just want my friend to be okay,” she said quietly and closed her eyes.

Nick rested his head in hers.

“What ever happens, I’m here for you. And remember, everything happens for a reason.”

“I know, thank you.” She looked up and smiled at Nick, then walked over to help AJ finish packing their stuff.
Chapter 24 by angielynn
Ashlee stepped into the room and saw Mia lying on the bed. It was early in the morning, so no was there except for her and AJ. Ashlee cupped her mouth to keep herself from sobbing out loud. She had only seen such things in movies. Mia was hooked up to all different kinds of machines and her head was wrapped in bandages.

AJ looked at Ashlee from outside the room. He fixed his eyes on the back of her neck where her tattoo was. He closed his eyes and wished to himself that this would all go away, because he hated seeing her in so much pain.
I hope to God she sees her way through this, he thought to himself. He knew what such traumas could to do someone in recovery, no matter how long they had been sober.

Ashlee walked over to Mia and sat down in the chair beside her bed. AJ stepped in the room and leaned himself on the wall.

“Oh God,” he heard her choke out. He looked up and saw her lay her head on Mia’s arm. A single tear rolled down his cheek and he walked over to Ashlee and put his arm around her shoulders.

“She’ll be okay, baby.”

“And may I ask who you are?” The nurse walked over to the bed and began to right down all of Mia’s information from the machines she was hooked up to.

AJ stared at the woman with disbelief.

“Um, this is Ashlee. She is one of Mia’s good friends, and I’m Alex, Ashlee’s boyfriend.”

“Oh,” the nurse said flatly. “Well, So far, you and one other girl are the only ones that have been in here. Does she not have any close relatives?”

Ashlee shook her head no.

“Well then, I guess I’ll have the doctor come in and speak to you. He will be with you both shortly.” And she walked out without saying goodbye.

Ashlee nodded and looked up at AJ.

“Well,” she said quietly. “She was pleasant.”

AJ smiled. “Yea. Let’s hope the doctor is a little bit more friendly.”

There were a few moments of silence before Ashlee spoke again.

“I’m scared,” she said quietly.

AJ sighed and bent down so that he was at eye level. He grabbed her hand and put his forehead against hers. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by the doctor.

“Hello! I’m Dr. Gene Hansen. It’s Ashlee and AJ, right? I just talked to the nurse.” He held out his hand and both Ashlee and AJ shook it. “I’m sorry about Tina. She’s always like that.”

AJ and Ashlee smiled. AJ turned around and sat on the edge of the bed so that he was facing Dr. Hansen.

“I know that you both would like to know what happened and what exactly is going on with Mia, so I’m not going to waste time making pointless small talk. Yesterday, Mia was t-boned by a vehicle while on her way home from work. The driver of that vehicle ran a red light at the speed of 55 miles per hour. The impact caused Mia to hit her head on the window. If she had not been wearing her seatbelt, she would have most likely been projected from the car.

“Having hit her head on the window, caused the window to shatter, cutting her head open and leaving pieces of glass inside the wounds. After further tests, we found that a piece of glass has enter itself through a fracture in the skull, and if we don’t operate today, it may very well burry itself inside the brain, causing permanent damage brain.”

“But Mia doesn’t have that kind of money,” Ashlee sobbed out loud. “And she doesn’t have any family to give her money.”

AJ grabbed Ashlee and pulled her close.

“It’s okay. I will pay for it.” He turned to the doctor, “What ever you need to do, do it. I will pay for everything.”
Chapter 25 by angielynn
Author's Notes:
Just to warn you..Ashlee gets a little angry with God in this. I'm not a Jesus hater..in fact..I'm a HUGE Jesus lover. I, myself am not mad at God, I'm just writing..
Ashlee sat in the back of the waiting room by herself. She told AJ that she just wanted to be by herself at the moment. AJ, Nick and Lindsey were there at the moment, the rest of the guys and Leighanne we to arrive shortly.

“I can’t stand to see her like this, Nick. What do I do?”

“Just let her be by herself. I want to comfort her just as much as you do, well..maybe not as much, but anyway. She let you know when she needs you.” Lindsey said before Nick had the chance to say anything.

“Hey guys,” Brian said as he walked in with everyone else. “How’s Mia?”

“We don’t know yet. She’s still in surgery.” Nick replied.

Leighanne walked over to Ashlee. “Hey sweetie. We got these for you. We got some for Mia too, but we thought you needed them as much as she does.”

Ashlee attempted to smile as Leighanne handed her a bouquet of flowers. “Thank you.”

“How are you holding up?”

“Eh, okay. I guess...” she trailed off and continued looking out the window.

AJ motioned for Leighanne to come over there.

“Well, I here if you need me.”

“Thanks,” Ashlee replied quietly.

Ashlee watched Leighanne walk over to the other guys. She could feel them talking about her. How do they expect me to feel? Oh, I feel fucking fantastic. Ashlee looked back out the window and up at the sky. Why? Why, God, must you do this? Just when my life is starting to come back together, it gets all messed up. She’s the only one that understands me and what I went through. She helped me get better. We graduated together. She is my life and you’re taking her away just like that. Well, fuck you. I’m done. She took off the ring that mother had given her when she graduated, Holy Spirit Come, she read to herself. No. I am done. She balled her hand into a fist.

“Hey beautiful, how are you.” AJ said as he sat down next to her.

“Not well,” she said bitterly.

Her words stung his ears. He had never heard her speak with such hate in the time that they had been together.

“My best friend is dying, how do you think I feel?”

“She isn’t...”

“Yes, she is. Alex, I can feel it.” She interrupted. “I never really told you this. I haven’t ever actually told anyone except Mia this. I…” she hesitated and quieted herself down. “This will probably sound weird, but I have these feelings. And 99% of the time, my feelings are right. She’s gone, Alex. The doctor is going to walk in here any minute and tell us that there was nothing they could do. They tried everything, it worse then they thought, whatever.”

“Baby, you vulnerable. You haven’t had any sleep. I don’t doubt for a second that you have these feelings, but she’s going to be okay. I had the best doctor flown up from Texas...”

“No, Alex!” She said loudly. The room became silent and they all looked at Ashlee and AJ. “You don’t understand! It’s done, she gone. It’s not about the best doctor. Our little friend JESUS decided that my life was going to perfect so he thought he’d shake it up a bit.”

“Um, Miss Miller?”

They all turned toward the door and looked at the doctor.

Tears began to fill her eyes as she walked up to the door. Everyone stayed where they were, all in shock of what just happened, and afraid of what was about to happen.

“Yes,” she said quietly.

“You might want to sit down.”

“I’m fine,” she said shortly, chewing on her bottom lip.

AJ stood up and walked over to Ashlee, hands in his pockets and stood next to her. He took out one hand and put his whole arm around her shoulders.

The doctor sighed and continued, “Mr. McLean, Miss Miller, I’m sorry to tell this, but we tried everything in our power to help Mia. By the time we got to the piece of glass, the blood flow to her heart had decreased causing her heart to fail. We tried everything we could to save her, but I’m sorry.”

Ashlee nodded and looked at the ground.

“I will leave you all for a few, and will be back for you to sign some things.”

“Thank you,” AJ said to the doctor quietly.

The room was so quiet, they could hear the doctor walk out of the room and down the hall.

Ashlee sighed and looked up at AJ.

“Um, listen,” she said quietly. “I..I think that we should, um, not see each other for a bit.”

She looked down in here hand at her ring. “I want you to have this. I don’t need it anymore.”

She placed the ring in his hand and looked at everyone in the room.

“Thank you all for being here for me.”

She looked at AJ once more and walked out of the room.
Chapter 26 by angielynn
AJ just stood there. He didn’t know whether or not he should follow her. Everyone else sat in their chairs starring at him. After a few long moments, the silence was broken by the doctor.

“Is Miss Miller in here?”

“Um, no.” AJ said quietly. “I’ll be signing everything.”

The doctor took AJ over to where Ashlee had been sitting just minutes before. As AJ signed the papers, he clutched the ring in his other hand.



“DAMMIT!” AJ kicked the garbage can outside of the hospital. “How could I just let her walk out of there like that?!”

“We all did Jay, it’s not just you,” Nick said as he put his hand on AJ’s shoulder. “She can’t be far. Call her again.”

“I’ve called 15 times in the last ten minutes. She’s not going to answer!” AJ brushed Nick off and sat on curb. “The one thing she wanted was her friend to be okay. The only thing she’s ever asked of me is to save her best friend and I couldn’t. How can I provide for her for the rest of her life if I couldn’t do that one small thing?”

“You’re not God, dude. She was right, on a certain level. Now, you know I’m not all Jesus-y, but I do know that when it’s time for someone to go, it’s time. You couldn’t help Mia. No one could.”

Nick paused for a moment and sat down next to AJ, “And what do you mean ‘provide for her for the rest of her life’?”

AJ sighed. “I know it’s really soon, but I can see myself with Ashlee for the rest of my life,” he said quietly.

“Hey guys, are you going back to the hotel?” Brian said walking out of the hospital.

“Yea,” AJ grumbled and got up off the curb.

“Uuhh, I’m going to get something to eat. I haven’t eaten since lunch, yesterday.” Nick said as he stood up.

“Alright,” Brian said as he let everyone in the van. Before he got in, he turned to Nick and asked, “You’re going to go look for Ashlee, aren’t you.”

“She helped save my life, now it’s time for me to help her.”

Brian smiled. “You have Lindsey’s number, right?”

“Yea, she gave it to me in the waiting room just in case something like this happened.”

“Okay, good. Call me as soon as you hear anything.”

“Kay.”

Brian got in the van and Nick waved good-bye as the drove off. He pulled out his phone and scrolled down to Lindsey’s number.

“Hey. You wanna go find Ashlee?”

Nick turned around to see Lindsey standing behind him.

“I thought you left?”

“I did, but knew you’d want to go find her so I came back.”

Nick smiled.

“C’ mon. I know exactly where she went.”
Chapter 27 by angielynn
Nick looked over at Lindsey and opened his mouth to speak, but changed his mind. They had been driving for about fifteen minutes, and neither one of them had said anything.

Nick sighed and looked out the window.

Lindsey glanced at Nick.

“You like her don’t you?”

Nick looked at her in shock.

“I...uhm. I don’t...no. Well, I thought I did...I mean.” Nick sighed. “It’s not like, ‘Ohmygod I want to do marry you.’ I care for her. She’s one of my best friends’ girl friend and she helped save me. I don’t want her to make the same mistake twice, especially after what she helped me through.”

“You’re a nice guy, Rock Star. I was expecting you to be like, ‘Hell yea, if she wasn’t dating AJ…’”

Nick shot her an annoying look.

“Just because I’m a rock start, doesn’t necessarily mean I’m a complete ass hole.”

“We’re here.” Lindsey put the car into park and turned off the engine. “Well, I’m glad you’re not, but you’re going to need to be here in two seconds.”

“Where are we?”

“Jacob’s, her ex-boyfriend’s.”

“I thought they were done?”

“They were, but he is also one of the best dealers in town.”

“Shit,” Nick said quietly.

They got out of the car and walked up to the door. Lindsey knocked on the door.

“Hey Jake, it’s Linds.”

“Don’t answer it,” they heard someone say.

Nick turned to Lindsey, “Friends?”

“My business is none of yours.”

“Hey you,” the young man said as he opened the door. He leaned out and gave Lindsey a kiss.

Nick raised his eyebrows at Lindsey.

“Nick, this is Jacob.”

“Um, hi.” Nick said awkwardly as he shook Jacob’s hand.

“Hi,” Jacob said as he stepped out and closed the door. “I was hoping you got my text. She came here, and she just wanted something light. I told that if was just a one time thing…”

“You WHAT?!” Nick said loudly. “Excuse me.”

Nick pushed his way passed Jacob and opened the door.

“Ashlee! What the hell are you doing?”

Ashlee looked up from the table. Nick could tell that she hadn’t done anything yet. He let out a slight sigh in relief.

Ashlee looked back down at the pipe she was just about to inhale from. What am I doing? Her eyes began to fill with tears.

“Oh, Nick.” She said quietly and she put her head in her hands.

Nick rushed over to her and pulled her in close.

“It’s okay. You’re going to be okay. I’m sorry Mia’s gone, but you not alone, okay? You have me. And Alex. And the rest of us. You’re not alone.”

“I’m so sorry! I didn’t do anything yet. I just…” She sobbed.

“I know. I know you didn’t. It’s fine. Come on. Let’s go to the hotel.”

He stood up and helped Ashlee to her feet.

“I seriously cannot believe that you were going to let that happen, Jacob. I’m done. I can’t do this anymore. You don’t care about anyone except yourself. Good bye.”
Nick and Ashlee stepped outside just as Lindsey stormed off the porch. Nick looked at Jacob in disgust and led Ashlee to the car.


“Thank you again,” Nick said just before he shut the door.

“You’re welcome, Rock Star. Thank you for helping her.”

“No problem.” Nick shut the door and waved as she drove off.

He turned to Ashlee and smiled lightly.

“C ‘mon. There’s some people who, I’m sure would like to see you.”
Chapter 28 by angielynn
Author's Notes:
Hello to my wonderful readers! This will be the ending of "Fly Away." I enjoyed sharing my first FF with you all, and can't wait to share more!! Enjoy!
Ashlee stepped out of the car and took a deep breath. The ride to the hotel was a silent one. Ashlee kept rehearsing in her mind how she was going to apologize to AJ, but every time she tried to find the words to say she didn’t know what should be said. She finally decided the “I’m sorry, if you don’t want to be with me, I understand” deal would suit her well enough.
She turned to Lindsey who was now standing next to her, holding in tears caused be the day’s events.

“Thank you so much,” she whispered and hugged Lindsey tightly.

She took another deep breath and walked with Nick to the doors of the hotel. They began to step inside and Ashlee turned to Nick and grabbed his arm.

“I need to have a few moments before I go in there,” she said to him. “By myself.”

Nick pressed his lips tightly together and gave her a questioning look.

She sighed, “I’m not going to run away, I promise.” She held up her pinky.

Nick smiled and locked his picky with hers, then walked inside.

Ashley turned and looked up at the sky. She could feel rain drops on her face. She closed her eyes for a few moments, then walked over to the curb and sat down.

I’m so sorry, Lord. I doubted you and gave up my faith in less then fifteen minutes, after almost a year of wonderful blessings. Alex…what am I going to do about Alex, Lord? I think I may have screwed up one of the best blessings I’ve received so far… Her prayer was suddenly interrupted by a familiar voice.

“And have you seen my faith?
It can run, it can hide.”

She looked to her left and saw Brian walking way from the building; it was obvious he hadn’t noticed her sitting there. It was now raining hard and Brian just stood there.

“Jesus mend this breaking heart of mine,
that keeps on loving life.
Though I can feel the pain,
look into my eyes,
but I don't know gone without good-bye.
If I could reach the sky,
I'd try to turn the world around,
so that we could see the face of forever,
stay alive.”

Ashlee stood up and walked over to Brian. Sensing someone standing next to him, he turned to be face to face with Ashlee. He smiled and pulled her for a hug.

“Thank God,” he whispered and let go. “Nick told us what happened in there, and no, AJ’s not in there.”

“Where did he...”

“Ash?” she heard a tired, broken voice behind her.

She looked at Brian with fear and pain.

“It’ll be okay,” he whispered. He looked at AJ and nodded hello and walked back inside.

Ashlee stood with her back facing him, rain pouring down hard.

“I’m sorry,” she said softly, but loud enough so that he could hear.

“Me too.”

Ashlee cupped he mouth to keep from sobbing out loud. She closed her eyes, she felt weak and dizzy. She turned around to face him, avoiding eye contact.

“Look, Alex. If you don’t…”

“Ashlee?”

“What?” She choked out.

“Look at me, please,” he said softly.

She slowly turned her head up; she was now about two feet from him, looking into his eyes. She could see hurt and just as much pain as she was feeling right now lingering within them.

He grabbed her face gently and wiped away the tears and rain that was pouring down her face and then removed his hands so he could move the hair out of her face.

“I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

She looked at him in shock. “W-what?” She managed to say.

“I cannot describe to you how I felt after I let you walk out of that room. I was so upset with myself that I didn’t go after you. I thought I lost you forever, Ashlee. As me and Nick were walking out of the hospital, it hit me. I love you.”

“Um, I love you, too.” She said quietly.

“No, Ash. I am IN love with you, and I want to spend the rest of eternity with you.”

She cupped her mouth once more when she saw him get down on one knee and grabbed the other hand. He reached in his pocket and took out a small box.

Ashlee looked at him in shock.

He opened it and held it up it front of him.

“Ashlee Miller, will you spend the rest of eternity with me?”

Ashlee looked at him and slowly nodded her head.

“Yes, Alex. I will.” She whispered.

AJ’s eyes lit up and a smile spread across his face. He got up from his knee and pulled her face in a kissed her passionately. He looked into her eyes.

“My God, I love you.”

Ashlee smiled, “I love you too.”

AJ looked down at the box and took the ring out. He slid it onto her left ring finger and interlaced his fingers with hers. He looked at her again and kissed her.

“Let’s get inside.” He smiled, “We’re going to catch pneumonia.”

And the walked into the hotel, hand in hand.

The End
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7802