Why Can't I, Be There Where You Are? by LenniluvsBrian
Summary: Clay Aiken is off auditioning for American Idol while his family is still back home in Raleigh, North Carolina. The audition?s are during November. Clay has five siblings who all still live in Raleigh ? two older, three younger. A terrible accident happens, and a certain someone witnessed it, though no one knows it. Can't say more, or it'll ruin the story. Sorry! Enjoy!
Categories: Fanfiction > Music > Clay Aiken Characters: None
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 22199 Read: 21193 Published: 05/10/06 Updated: 06/10/06

1. Character List by LenniluvsBrian

2. The Loss by LenniluvsBrian

3. Off To Hollywood by LenniluvsBrian

4. Like An Angel by LenniluvsBrian

5. Backstreet Boy In California by LenniluvsBrian

6. The Letter by LenniluvsBrian

7. In The Studio by LenniluvsBrian

8. If I Can't Even Smile Today by LenniluvsBrian

9. Why Can't I, Be There Where You Are? by LenniluvsBrian

10. Chapter 10 by LenniluvsBrian

11. Don't Talk To Strangers by LenniluvsBrian

12. Idol Finale by LenniluvsBrian

13. Epilogue by LenniluvsBrian

Character List by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Hey y'all! Thought I'd give yah a list of the characters, so you'd know a lil' bit about 'em before reading this fic.
Characters:

Clay Aiken: light brownish blond hair, green eyes. 18. 6’1” Birthday is November 30th.

Lenore Parker: Clay’s baby sister. 10. Brown hair, green eyes. 4’11” Birthday is December 7th.

Kaylee Parker: Clay’s 13yr-old sister.

Mrs. Faye (Aiken) Parker: Clay’s mom.

Mr. Ray Parker: Clay’s stepfather.

Brett Parker: Clay’s 11yr-old half-brother.

Jeff Parker: Clay’s 28yr-old step-brother.

Amy Parker: Clay’s 23yr-old step-sister.

Ryan Seacrest: American Idol host.

Ruben Studdard: bald, brown eyes. Big teddy bear type guy. 19. 6’2”

Joshua Gracin: American Idol contestant.

Kimberly Locke: American Idol contestant.

Kimberly Caldwell: American Idol contestant.

Trenyce: American Idol contestant.

Carmen: American Idol contestant.

Charles Grigsby: American Idol contestant.

Rickey Smith: American Idol contestant.

Julia DeMato: American Idol contestant.

Corey Clark: American Idol contestant.

Simon Cowell: American Idol judge.

Paula Abdul: American Idol judge.

Randy Jackson: American Idol judge.

Guest Appearance: Backstreet Boys: Brian, Kevin, A.J., Nick, & Howie.
The Loss by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics, is either what Lenore has written, or a song. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Also, the only song I own, is the one in chapter six. Thank-you!

Eighteen-year-old Clayton Aiken was preparing for a results show when someone came rushing over to him with a cell phone.

“Clay, your sister’s on the phone,” the backstage manager told him.

“Why is Lenore calling?” He wondered silently. “I called her this morning for her birthday.”

“Says it’s an emergency,” the manager continued, handing him the phone.

“Hello?” Clay said confused. He listened as his older sister, Amy, explained what was wrong. He paled when he heard the shocking news.

All the hustle and bustle backstage stopped, as people began to take note of the look on his face.

“Clay, man, is everything all right?” Nineteen-year-old Ruben Studdard asked.

Clay hands the phone back to its owner as he blinks while staring straight ahead. His gaze slowly lands upon Ruben.

“My folks…..they were in a car crash,” Clay answered once he was able to speak. “They, and two of my younger siblings, were…..were killed instantly.”

Everyone backstage remained silent, their now sympathetic gazes upon him.

“Don’t you have three younger siblings?” Carmen queried softly, after a moment of silence.

Clay nodded slowly. “Lenore’s screaming hysterically for me. It’s all she’s done since they told her.” He paused long enough to look at everyone in the room. “I need to get home – tonight. No one else can calm her down.”

Ryan Seacrest, the host, walked over and placed his hand on Clay’s shoulder. “You do what you have to do,” he stated. “We’ll cover for you here.”

Clay nodded his response, then quickly left the studio to go and catch a flight home to Raleigh.

“Ahhhhh!!!” Lenore continued to scream at the top of her lungs. She had been screaming most of the day, and it was a miracle she’d yet to lose her voice. Though she’d been yelled at, spanked, and yelled at some more, she still went on screaming. “Ahhhhh!!!”

“Enough!” Amy, her big sister, yelled yet again.

Lenore opened her mouth to scream again, but saw the front door open and Clay walk in.

“Clay!” She shrieked, doing a 100-yard dash towards him. She leaped into his awaiting arms.

Clay had heard his ten-year-old baby sister screaming as soon as he had stepped out of the cab. So, of course, he had gone inside to see what was wrong, only to have her fly at him.

Their eldest brother, Jeff, came out into the room when he didn’t hear anymore screaming. “Wow. There is a way to shut her up,” he commented. “I was beginning to think we’d never have peace and quiet again.”

“Has she really been screaming all this time?” Clay asked disbelievingly as he came up the stairs, and into the living room, with her in his arms.

“Yes!” Amy exclaimed exasperated. “We tried everything to shut her up, but nothing worked! Until now, that is.”

Clay shook his head. “Mom always said she’d a set of lungs on her.”

An uncomfortable silence came over them then. The only sound that could be heard, was Lenore snuggling her head into Clay’s neck. Clay kissed her head.

“Well, I guess you got your wish, huh?” Jeff piped up suddenly, glaring at his little sister in his brother’s arms. “I hope you’re happy!”

The other three watched, as he stormed out of the house slamming the door behind him, quietly.

“What wish?” Clay said confused. He looks to his oldest sister for an answer, but she only shook her head and left the room. He looked down at Lenore, who was now crying softly. “What wish, Hun?”

Lenore said nothing, as she hugged him tighter in response. Her birthday wish had been to see Clay; their parents had said no. They’d stated it would be a waste of money to go down there for only one night. This statement, of course, had started an argument – an argument she desperately wanted to forget.

Clay sighed as he carried her and his bags down the hall to his room. Once there, he set his bags by the closet and Lenore on the bed. He eyed her carefully as he saw her quickly jump up, so that she wouldn’t be sitting. Something wasn’t right – he could tell.

Lenore knew that Clay knew that something was up. He always did. She stared down, pretending to be highly interested in his rug. She heard him sigh, and glanced up at him tearfully. She spotted paper and a pen on his night table and picked them up. She scribbled him a quick message. Spanked. It said. Bottom sore. Need help to make better.

Clay read the note after she’d passed it to him and shook his head not to sure on how he felt about that. “How bad?” He asked.

Bad. She wrote.Daddy didn’t do it.

Clay closed his eyes momentarily, knowing their brother had probably done it while she screamed. “I’ll be right back,” he told her, then left to go find cream that would help. He found it, then returned to his room. “Lie down on your stomach.”

Lenore silently did as told, and lay across his double bed. She felt herself blushing as her brother slipped her pants down to see how bad her bottom was.

“You gotta stop making him mad,” Clay replicated while applying the cream to her bottom. “If you didn’t make him mad by giving him a headache, you wouldn’t have been spanked.” He finished, and pulled her pants back up for her. He set the cream aside as he sat down on his bed next to her and rubbed her back. “I’ll talk to him, all right?”

She nodded slightly, her head still buried in her arms. She hated being the one who always got yelled at and spanked. That was part of the reason she loved Clay so much – he had never once yelled at or spanked her. Everyone else in their family had at some point in time. She turned around and lied back down on her stomach, placing her head face down in his lap. She felt him play with her hair as she cried, and felt somewhat comforted.

“It’ll be all right, honey,” Clay told her as he played with her hair. “I promise.”

“Don’t go making promises you can’t keep,” a voice said.

Clay looked up, only to find his other sister standing in the doorway with her arms crossed over her chest. “What are you talking about? What promise can I not keep?”

“The one you just made her,” Amy replied. “Nothing will ever be all right again, Clayton.”

“You don’t know that for a fact,” Clay pointed out. “And I believe things will be all right again some day.”

That night, while Lenore slept, the oldest three made the funeral arrangements. Though there were some arguments, eventually everything was to everyone’s liking.


While Clay and his siblings were making funeral arrangements, the rest of the American Idol cast were doing the results show, though their thoughts and prayers were all directed towards Clay and his family.

“Ladies and gentlemen,” Ryan Seacrest began. “Clay Aiken will not be here tonight, due to a family emergency. Members of his family were killed in a car crash earlier today, and we’d appreciate it if you would send your thoughts and prayer’s out to him and his family during their time of need.” He paused, then looked down to finally read what was written on his cue card. He smiled slightly. “On a brighter note, Clay, Buddy, you’re safe this week, and will be able to go on to the next round.”

Everyone cheered loudly for Clay, happy that he was safe for another week, but feeling bad for him and his family at the loss of their loved ones.

The day of the funerals was a gorgeous day, despite everyone’s somber moods. Everything had been well planned for – well, almost everything.

Clay had taken a seat in the front pew between his sisters. His brother had sat down on the other side of Lenore.

Lenore looked up slightly when she felt a hand touch hers, and was relieved to discover that it was only Clay. She silently squeezed his hand back after he had squeezed hers. Despite the horrible circumstances, she was glad to have him there next to her. She knew she could never tell her other brother that, as he’d more than likely spaz at her again. It was already bad enough that she had to sit next to him.

People who had been murmuring softly as they waited for the service to begin, quieted down as the Priest reached the pulpit. They all watched as he made the sign of the cross in front of each casket, slowly making his way down the five casket line. Once done, he turned to face the many friends and family who were all now in mourning. “We shall begin with a prayer,” he said, officially starting the service.

Lenore sat there listening quietly as everyone else recited the prayer. She was too full of mixed emotions to do anything other than sit there, stare, and listen. She was afraid if she should accidentally say the wrong thing that her eldest brother, Jeff, would yell at her again.

Clay noticed that his little sister wasn’t paying any attention and gently nudged her.

Lenore felt Clay nudge her, and gave him a small sheepish grin, before looking back down at her feet.

The Priest carried on with the ceremony, and only stopped when it was time for Clay to give the eulogies.

Clay slowly made his way to the front of the Church after having had to pry his hand away from Lenore’s. He reached the pulpit and turned to face everyone. He took a deep, self-assuring, breath before starting.

“Well, what can I say about Mom?” He began. “Other than that she was the kindest, loveliest woman alive…..”

Lenore sat silently, as still as a statue, while she listened to Clay give the eulogies he had written. All was fine until he mentioned their father – well, her father anyway – he was her three oldest siblings stepfather. As Clay began to talk about him, the events leading up to the accident began to re-play in her mind.

Clay, and the service, were abruptly interrupted by one lone shrill scream.

“Noooo!” Lenore shrieked, suddenly jumping up. She quickly climbed over Jeff’s lap before he had the chance to grab her. “Dad-dy!”

Everyone looked on in stunned silence as she ran over to her father’s casket. It was still open, as it was an open casket service for him. The other caskets were closed, as the others had been mutilated in the crash.

“Dad-dy,” Lenore let out in a choked up whimper. She stood next to his casket sobbing, with her hands placed upon his chest. She knew she’d never forget how he felt right then – ever.

Clay went over to her, and crouched down low enough to whisper in her ear. “Honey, you have to let him go. God needed him for something special. He’s safe now.”

“Promise?” Lenore whimpered softly, still staring at her father.

“I promise,” Clay answered solemnly.

Lenore turned and fell into his arms, tears streaming down her young face. She felt him pick her up, only to pass her to her other brother moment later. She buried her face in Jeff’s shoulder and sat cuddled into him as Clay finished the eulogy.

Off To Hollywood by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything written in italics, is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy1

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Two days later, Clay was getting ready to go to the airport, so he could get back to Hollywood for American Idol. He’d gone outside to talk to the cab driver, when suddenly he could hear screaming coming from inside of the house.

Lenore has woken up and stumbled out into the living room, only to find Clay’s suitcases perched by the front hall stairs. She suddenly realized that he, of all people, was leaving her right when she needed him the most. She did the only thing she could think of then – she screamed.

“Ahhhhh!!!”

Jeff came flying into the room, as he thought something bad had happened. Needless to say, he was not happy when he discovered Lenore was only screaming because Clay was leaving again. He strolled over and towered over his little sister angrily. “Shut-up!”

Lenore furrowed her brow, took a deep breath, then screamed even louder than she had the last time. She screamed so loud that her face started to go red.

Jeff grabbed hold of her arms and began to shake her out of frustration – but not hard enough to seriously hurt her.

Clay walked in just as Jeff spanked Lenore, and the screaming stopped. “What’s with all the screaming?” He wanted to know.

“A certain someone,” Jeff began, nodding his head in Lenore’s direction, “found out you were leaving again and decided to scream bloody murder ‘cause of it.”

Clay sighed and shook his head as he came up the stairs. He went over and knelt down before his little sister. “Hun, you can’t keep screaming like this,” he told her softly. “You do, and not only is Jeff going to keep spanking you, but you will eventually lose your voice too.”

Lenore hugged him as she began to cry. She didn’t want him to leave, but nor did she want to talk.

Clay hugged her back, while he tried to think up a solution to their problem. “Go pack,” he said finally. He felt her pull back slightly, and noticed her skeptic look. “Only pack what you really need, and make it fast. If you’re too slow I’m leaving without you.”

A huge smile spread across Lenore’s face. She kissed his cheek quickly, then ran off to go pack her things. She just hoped that no one had noticed that she’d all ready had most of her things packed and ready to go.

“Do you honestly think they’re going to let a ten-year-old bratty girl stay in that mansion with all of you?” Jeff asked, eyeing Clay warily.

“Only way to find out is to call,” Clay answered heading for the phone. “And Jeff, she’s not a brat.”

While Lenore packed, Clay argued with the American Idol producers. Fifteen minutes later, they were both settled in the back of the cab waving good-bye to their older siblings.

“I just hope he realizes what he’s gotten himself into,” Jeff muttered after the cab had turned off their street.

“I’m sure he has, Jeff,” Amy said turning to look at him.

“I’ll give him a week – week and a half tops – before he’s wanting to ship her back,” Jeff retorted, heading back into the house.

Amy just shook her head and followed him inside. She couldn’t figure out what his problem was, and why he seemed to resent their baby sister so much. It wasn’t like the accident had been Lenore’s fault. There was no way she had been involved, as they’d had to pull her out of class to tell her what had happened. Though, no one knew exactly when she’d actually gotten to class, which seemed a little suspicious.


After Clay had convinced her that their plane wasn’t going to crash, Lenore had fallen asleep with her head on his shoulder. She slept until they had finally landed in L.A.

Clay had shaken his sister awake, handed her, her knapsack, then taken a hold of her hand and led her off the plane. Once they’d retrieved their luggage, he led her out front to the awaiting limo. He laughed as he saw her eyes practically bulge right out of her head.

Lenore’s jaw hit the ground. We get to ride in that? She exclaimed on the notepad he’d handed her. She saw him nod, and wrote, Wow!

Clay smiled and opened the door for her while the driver stuck their luggage in the trunk. “It’s actually a super, super, super stretch limo,” he stated as they both buckled up. “Normally we’ve the next size up, as we had to fit eleven in here.”

Lenore nodded, only half-listening, as her eyes wandered about taking everything in. she found great amusement in playing with the button that made the middle window, between them and the driver, go up and down.

Clay soon adverted her attention to the built-in-fridge. She grinned at him, now munching on a Snickers bar. He grinned back at her, and ruffled her hair. He declined the piece of Snickers she offered him though, as he was allergic. Though, he was still shocked by her offer - normally she didn’t share chocolate.

Soon they pulled up in front of the huge American Idol mansion. There were now only ten Ford vehicles in the driveway, as Rickey Smith had been voted off the previous week.

Clay got out of the limo, Lenore slowly following as she was too in awe to move any faster than she was. He smiled, watching her, as he took their bags from the driver. “Big house, huh?”

Lenore nodded silently. She couldn’t believe this was where they’d be staying. She threw her knapsack over her shoulder, picked up her suitcase, then grabbed hold of Clay’s hand.

Clay squeezed her hand reassuringly, then led her inside. He was surprised to see a huge “Welcome” sign hanging in the hallway. He knew Lenore had spotted it when he heard her gasp slightly.

Suddenly, all the other contestants came flooding into the large hallway.

Lenore automatically hid behind her brother. Though she was now ten, she was still extremely shy around people she didn’t know. Sure she could act crazy and make you laugh, but that was only after she got to know you a little better.

Clay shook his head slightly. “Hun, there’s no need to be so shy. They’re all nice. I promise.” He noticed she’d a shocked expression on her face, and followed her gaze with his. He chuckled to himself when he saw she’d spotted Ruben. He understood perfectly why she was shocked. He thought of all the times he’d phoned home, only to have her babble on about Ruben. He was the only one who knew of her latest crush.

Lenore stood there gaping at the Ruben Studdard. She knew he too was on American Idol, but hadn’t expected to meet him so soon after her arrival.

“Hey,” Ruben smiled.

Lenore said nothing as she ran over and hugged him.

Clay looked at Ruben and laughed. “You’re her favourite. After me, of course.”

“Of course,” Carmen teased.

Lenore looked back at Clay, still hugging Ruben, and grinned widely.

“Alright, alright,” Clay grinned back. “I know what you’re thinking. Now, c’mon. I’ll show you to our room.”

Lenore reluctantly let go of Ruben, grabbed her bags, then followed Clay upstairs. Yet again her eyes were sent bulging, after walking into their room. To her, all of this was some sort of dream, only it wasn’t meant for her.

After showing her where to put her things, and where the bathroom was, Clay led her down to the kitchen.

“What’s for dinner today?” He asked. “And whose turn was it to cook?”

“Kim Caldwell, and we ordered out for pizza,” Kimberly Locke answered. “No one wanted burnt offerings again.”

Everyone laughed, as they all set about getting things ready for their pizza.

Lenore sat down at the table so she’d be out of everyone’s way. She was quite pleased when Clay and Ruben both sat on either side of her.

They passed the pizza around until everyone had a slice. Whoever wanted seconds had to hurriedly finish the first slice, then fight to get their second slice.

“Does anyone want anything to drink?” Josh Gracin asked as he got up.

“What do we have Josh?” Clay wanted to know.

“Coke, Pepsi, Root Beer, Cream Soda, iced tea, chocolate milk, milk, and water,” Josh recited. “Oh. And orange juice and apple juice.”

Clay looked at Lenore. “What do you want, Hun?” He asked her.

Lenore thought a moment, then wrote: Apple juice. Please.

“One root beer, and one apple juice,” Clay told Josh. “Please.”

Lenore nudged Clay, shoving her notebook at him. Why’s everyone staring at me?

Clay read her message and cast a quick glance around the room. “Honey, no one’s staring at you. If they are, it’s because I haven’t explained the notebook thing to them yet.”

Oh. Okay. She wrote back. She went back to eating her pizza after grinning at Ruben, who, of course, grinned back. She hoped Clay would explain it to them soon, as she didn’t like them staring at her as though she’d two heads.

Once supper was done and over with, everyone went their own ways to do whatever they wanted.

Clay had led Lenore to where the T.V. was, then had gone off with Ruben after kissing her head.

“You sure she’ll be okay by herself?” Ruben asked him.

“Yeah. She’ll be fine,” Clay answered. “She loves her cartoons practically more than anything.”

While Clay was with Ruben, Lenore sat on the couch staring at the T.V. Only, she wasn’t watching T.V. She was thinking about the second last conversation her, and her now deceased, brother Brett had had.

Flashback…..

“Brett,” Lenore said softly entering the room.

“What’s up Squirt?” Brett grinned glancing at her, then going back to his N-64.

Lenore went and sat on the floor next to him, watching him play for a few minutes. “Do you think since I’ve been really good lately, that Mommy and Daddy will let me go see Clay? I mean, ‘cause it’s my birthday and all.” She piped up finally.

Brett paused his game to look at her. “Maybe,” he said. “I mean, it’s not like you’ve told anybody what you want anyway.”

“I want Clay,” Lenore admitted sheepishly. “I miss him a whole bunch.”

“I know yah do Squirt,” Brett laughed. “You tell me that all the time!”

Lenore giggled slightly. “I do, don’t I?”

“Now, if yah wanna answer to your question, go ask Mom and Dad,” Brett told her. “Then report back here and let me know whether or not I need to pack before school.”

Lenore nodded, then ran off to go find their parents. Her hopes were soaring. She knew they’d say yes! She just knew it!

A few moments later, Brett could hear shouting coming from the kitchen. In the next instant, he saw Lenore come flying back into the room in tears. He paused his game again. “They said no, huh?”

Lenore nodded through her tears. She’d never been so upset before in her life.

“Come here Squirt,” Brett told her. He hugged her after she’d sat down next to him again. “Shh. Don’t cry. You know if Clay could be here, he would be.”

Lenore sniffled. “Still not fair Brett. It’s my birthday.”

“I’ll be right back,” Brett said suddenly. “I gotta get something.” He left the room, returning moments later with a gift in his hand. “Here. Happy Birthday.” He handed her the box as he plopped back down.

“What is it?” Lenore queried.

“Your gift Silly,” Brett laughed. “Now open it!”

Lenore didn’t hesitate, as she quickly did as told. Once she’d torn the blue wrapping paper off and opened the box, she gasped. “Wow!” She breathed. She couldn’t believe it. He’d gotten her the nicest locket ever! She opened it and giggled upon seeing a silly picture of the two of them.

“You like it?” Brett wanted to know. “I saved up my money, so it’s real gold.”

Lenore looked at her brother wide-eyed. “Thank-you!” She exclaimed, throwing her arms around him and giving him the biggest hug ever! “I love it!”

Brett smiled; glad to have made her happy, as he hugged her back. “Anytime Squirt. Anytime.”

Lenore kissed his cheek, smiling at him.

“Wanna play Mario Kart ‘till we have to go?” Brett asked.

Lenore nodded. “You bet!” The two of them sat there playing Nintendo until it was time to leave for school.

End of Flashback…..

Lenore looked down at the gold locket that hung around her neck. She popped it open and stared at her brother. “Why? “She thought. “Why didn’t you get out and walk with me like always? Why didn’t I ask you too like always? Why? Why? Why?” She stood up and screamed at the top of her lungs, as tears cascaded down her face.

Clay and Ruben were just about to step outside, when they suddenly heard a shrill scream. They both froze, both wondering whom it was that was screaming.

Suddenly, it was as though a light had gone on. “Lenore!” Clay exclaimed in a whisper. He turned and ran for where he’d left her, with Ruben right behind him.

Lenore stood screaming in the middle of the room she’d been left in, ten American Idol finalists surrounding her, as Clay and Ruben had finally arrived.

Clay hurried over to her and crouched down before her. “Honey, what’s wrong?” He asked. He got no reply, as she went on screaming. It was then that he spotted the open locket hanging around her neck. “When did she get that?” He wondered silently. Just then, the locket turned so that he could now see the picture that had lovingly been placed inside. It was in this very instant that he realized why Lenore was screaming. “You miss him, don’t you?” He said softly. “I’m not the only one you scream for.”

Lenore didn’t stop screaming until after Clay had picked her up. Her screams now turned into heart-wrenching sobs.

Clay hugged her close as he carried her upstairs to their room. Once there, he set her down upon her bed and went to the suitcases to get her pajamas. He helped her get her pajamas on, then tucked her into the bed.

Lenore, who’d calmed down some, lay there staring up at her brother through tears – tears which still insisted upon falling.

Clay smiled down at her as he moved her hair away from her face. “It’ll be alright, Honey,” he whispered soothingly, while playing with her hair. He was sitting on the edge of the bed. “It will be. You’ll see. Trust me.” He kissed her forehead. “Now, how about you get some sleep,” he suggested. “Things will looks brighter in the morning.”

Lenore blinked back the rest of her tears, hugged him, then lay back down again. She gave him a weak smile as he began to sing to her.

“But we are two worlds apart. Can’t reach to your heart. When you say that I want it that way…..” Clay sang softly. Once done, he kissed her head once more and quietly left the room. He then made his way back downstairs, where he knew the others would be waiting for an explanation.

“Is she okay, Clay?” Carmen asked.

“Yeah. She’ll be fine,” Clay answered with a sigh.

“What was wrong?” Josh wanted to know.

“She misses our brother Brett. They’ve been close lately, more so than usual. I believe he may’ve been the one to give her the locket,” Clay explained.

“Oh…..Why doesn’t she talk?” Trenyce queried.

“Same reason, I believe,” Clay replied. “But I’m not sure, as she hasn’t told me yet. She’ll be writing down her answers a lot, so please bare with her. This seems to have hit her, the hardest, but I don’t think it’s just because she’s the baby of the family. I think something else may have to do with it.

Like An Angel by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything that's in italics, is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Two more days have passed, and now everyone was at the studio preparing for the next American Idol show. Lenore had been led to a seat in the audience, while everyone else had to be taken to make-up and wardrobe. Soon enough, it was time for the show to begin.

Lenore sat in the audience all alone, as obviously, Jeff and Amy hadn’t tagged along, and the ones who would’ve come, were dead. She watched everyone have their turn at performing, and listened to the judges opinions, then stated her own on her notepad. She thought being a judge was cool – though she’d much rather sing. While she waited for Clay and/or Ruben to come out and perform she began to daydream. And it wasn’t a peasant daydream either – it was a day-mare.

Clay had peeked out at the crowd every so often, to check o his sister – who seemed to be enjoying herself. The last time he’d peeked out though, she’d been frowning ever so slightly, which worried him. He heard his name called then, and went out to sing.

“Now, singing The Wings of Tomorrow, here is Clay Aiken,” Ryan announced.

Lenore looked at the stage through her daze and saw Clay make his way out.

Clay stood on the stage as he began to sing.

You must be dreamin’ Or going out of your mind There’s no way of changin’ The world over one night

He spotted Lenore, and realized she was now crying and not paying him any attention. He walked down off the stage and just made it to her as the music break ended. He crouched down before her.

Baby you need to recover From all the things you’ve been through

He kisses her forehead, then stands up, but still looks at her.

Baby you need to discover There ain’t much to do but

He heads back towards the stage as he sings.

Ride, ride, ride The wings of tomorrow Ride, ride, ride To change the world

He finishes, then stands center stage and patiently waits for the judges comments.

Randy Jackson went first. “Dawg, I don’t know why you chose that song. I would have never chosen that song for you, Dawg. You’re so much better than that song made you sound. For me, it was alright, Dawg.”

Clay nodded. “I’d reasons for picking that song,” he stated.

“Your choice, Dawg. Your choice,” Randy said.

Paula Abdul went next. “Clay, I loved it! When you sang to that little girl, it just did something to me!”

“It made you gag,” Simon Cowell interrupted.

“Shut-up Simon,” Paula replicated. “Clay it was the perfect song choice in my opinion.”

“But everything’s not based on your opinion, Paula,” Simon piped up. “Clay, not to be rude, but that was absolutely dreadful. The choice of song, the poor range you had. And singing to that little girl; it was sickening and pathetic.”

Clay remained silent and polite no more. “Look Simon, if I want to go down and sing to my little sister, and make sure she’s okay, I will. I’m not about to just stand up here like nothing’s wrong if I see her crying. Not after all she’s been through this week. Especially not now.”

Simon had actually looked shocked. They hadn’t known it was his sister he’d gone down to sing to, and not just some fan.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know,” Simon apologized.

Clay nodded, then went over to sit on the stool next to Ryan.

“Wow,” Ryan says. “Cowell got a dressing down for once.”

Clay gave a small laugh, though his eyes were glued to his sister, who was still crying. “Can I?”

Ryan nodded, as he’d seen Lenore crying too.

Clay headed for the stairs. “Come here, Honey,” he said softly.

Lenore got up and ran for him – notebook and all – tears still streaming down her face.

Clay picked her up, then returned to the stool he’d been sitting on.

“You okay, Honey?” Ryan asked her.

Lenore looked at him through her tears and nodded slightly.

“She’ll be fine,” Clay told him.

Ryan nodded, “So, Clay, why’d you pick that song, Buddy?”

“Trying to get a message to someone,” Clay answered. “Though, I don’t know how well it worked.”

“Well, if you liked seeing Simon get told off, and loved Clay’s performance,” Ryan began, “help him Ride The Wings of Tomorrow, by calling 1-886-IDOLS-07. That’s 1-886-943-6507.”

Clay stood up then, and carried his little sister backstage. Once there, he had Ruben turn his microphone off for him, then sat down on the couch – it was there for the idols to sit on while waiting for their turn to shine.

Lenore buried her head into her brother’s chest. S he hadn’t meant to cause any problems, but technically had. Sorry. She scribbled onto the notepad.

Clay read what she wrote. “Honey, you’ve nothing to be sorry for, all right?” He kissed her head.

Lenore nodded slightly, to let him know that she understood.

Clay sat there and held her close for the rest of the show. And when he had to go out again at the end, he brought her with him so that she wouldn’t be all alone backstage.

Lenore was glad he was keeping her close, as she needed him right then.


That night, back at the American Idol mansion, all the contestants were in the living room watching themselves on the show.

“Wow Clay,” Carmen began. “You sure told Simon off.”

Clay shrugged. “I’ll do anything to protect my sister. And if I have to tell Simon off to do it, by means, I’ll do it.”

“How is she anyway?” Josh asked, as Lenore had gone straight to bed upon their arrival at the house.

“She’s confused, tired, and hurt,” Clay replied. “So much has happened to disrupt her, once happy life, in such a short period of time.”

“Poor kid,” Corey Clark stated. “I almost feel sorry for her.”

“Almost?” Clay repeated raising his eyebrows.

Everyone looked to Corey then for an explanation.

“Why can’t she look on the bright side of things?” Corey stated. “I mean, it’s not like she lost her whole family. She still has three of you – and that’s better than none at all.”

Clay grit his teeth together. “She lost her mother and father, Corey. As well as a sister, and a brother, who was one of her best friends. Losing all four of them this soon, has caused her whole world to come crashing down.”

“So what?” Corey said. “You lost them too, but we don’t see you going around acting all weird about it.”

“It’s perfectly normal for her to act this way!” Clay retorted. “everyone reacts differently to these sorts of things. As for me, I’m older and have to look out for her. I’ve no time to feel sorry for myself or to grieve!” I have to be strong for her!”

“But – “ Corey tried.

“Forget it Corey,” Clay snapped. “End of discussion.” He got up and left the room. He went to the kitchen and got a drink, then headed upstairs to his room. As he neared the room he could hear singing. He paused outside of the door to listen.

So many words for the broken heart It’s hard to see in a crimson love So hard to breathe Walk with me and maybe…

Clay couldn’t believe it, his little sister - who hadn’t said a word in a week – was singing! This confused him. For if she refused to talk, how come she’d sing? He stood outside the door listening – and waiting – until the song was done. Once it was over, he knocked once, then walked in.

Lenore had turned the CD player off after she’d heard someone knock at the door. She was relieved to see it was only her brother – though she still hoped no one had heard her sing – him included.

Clay smiled at her, then ushered her into bed and tucked her in. he sat on the edge of her bed and looked at her. “Don’t feel bad if you need me during a show, okay? It’s all right that you need me,” he told her while smiling. “Just don’t go making it a habit.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead. “I love you, Honey.”

Lenore gave him the I-love-you sign and a small smile as he kissed her head again, then left the room.

Clay had gotten an idea while secretly listening to her sing. He went back downstairs to the kitchen, hoping to be able to use the phone in private. He found the number he’d been looking for and dialed the number. “Hello? Simon?”


The following day, while his sister slept, Clay discussed his call to Simon Fuller with the other idols.

“He’s actually okay with your idea?” Trenyce said shocked.

“We both agreed it could be therapeutic,” Clay stated. “Though she won’t talk, she will sing. Maybe by letting her sing, she’ll be able to explain better just how she feels. Also, this may be the only thing to help her see that life does go on.”

“Can she even sing though?” Julia DeMato wanted to know.

“Like an angel,” Clay smiled. “And I’m not just saying that because I’m her brother. She really can sing you guys.”

“So she’ll sing before we do at every results show?” Ruben double-checked. “What happens if you don’t make it to the end?”

“She’ll still get to sing,” Clay replied. “We’ve already worked out all the details; and the judges are okay with it too.”

“What if she doesn’t want to get up and sing for all those people?” Carmen asked.

“She will. Believe me,” Clay answered. “One of her biggest dreams is to sing and perform live.”


That night at the results show, while everyone was getting ready, Clay told Lenore his news.

“Hun,” Clay began, crouching down before her. “How’d you like to sing tonight?”

Lenore’s eyes went huge. Really? She wrote. You mean it? I can sing for everyone?

Clay smiled warmly at her. “Yes.”

Lenore jumped up off the couch and threw her arms about him, almost knocking him over. She loved to sing more than anything!

Clay hugged her back. “Okay, let’s got find you a song to sing and get you into hair and make-up.” He stood up, took hold of her hand, and led her to where she had to go.

Lenore smiled shyly at everyone as she did what she had to. She couldn’t believe she was going to sing in front of everyone – just like Clay did!

Once her hair was done, and her face had been powdered, she was hooked up to the ear pieces she’d need to be able to hear the music. After everything was done, they were ready to go on the air.

Ryan Seacrest walked out onstage and smiled at the crowd. “Welcome to American Idol. We are now live.” He paused. “We’ve a special treat for you tonight. Here, singing live for the first time ever, is Clay Aiken’s baby sister, Lenore parker.”

Lenore gulped, and went out as the music began. She took a deep breath as she saw all the people, then began to sing.

Is it any wonder why I’m scared? If I was a little younger would I care? I’m feeling like the walls are growing stronger I don’t know if this cage can hold me any longer

She felt a little more confident now that she’d begun. Her voice became stronger with the next verse.

You never dreamed you’d have to live your life so guarded ‘Cause they’ll find a way to make you feel discarded

She began to walk along the edge of the stage, as she couldn’t stand still any longer.

I’m not afraid of tomorrow I’m only scared of myself Feels like my insides are on fire And I’m looking through the eyes of someone else

She let her eyes land upon Simon – her favourite judge.

You never thought you’d have to live your life so guarded ‘Cause they’ll find a way to make you feel discarded Things have changed, you’ve become a complication Can’t make it through another day’s humiliation

She took her place center stage once more as she sang the last bit.

And I’m looking through the eyes of someone else

Yeah, oh yeah (Someone, someone, someone else…)

Once she’d finished singing, she smiled shyly, enjoying the standing ovation she received. She then stood there and waited for the judges to comment, as she’d been told they would.

Randy spoke first. “That was – Wow! I can’t believe someone your age has that kind of voice. I’m impressed.”

Lenore blushed slightly as she ducked her head some. It was her way of showing how she felt at the moment.

Paula was next. “You have such a big voice, and are such an adorable little girl. You have so much power in your voice, and great consistency. I loved every minute of your performance.”

Lenore’s smile grew as she gave a slight nod.

Finally it was Simon’s turn. “That was absolutely – amazing! You and your brother are alike. Neither of you look like you can sing as good as you do. But, then you open you mouth, and in your case, it’s as though Angels in Heaven have come down and out through you. Lenore, you sing like an Angel. If you were older, you’d stand a very good chance of winning this competition.”

Lenore was tickled pink by his words – literally. Hearing Simon, of all people, say that meant a whole lot to her.

Clay came out then, causing the fans in the audience to go nuts. He had a proud smile on his face.

“You may want to look behind you,” Simon smiled.

Lenore turned around and spotted her brother heading towards her. She grinned and ran into his awaiting arms.

Clay picked her up and kissed her forehead. “That was amazing, Honey,” he whispered to her.

Lenore beamed, then kissed his nose to thank him for the compliment.


After the show, once it’d been announced that everyone except Charles would be moving on, everybody met up backstage.

Ruben was the first to go over to where Lenore sat waiting for her brother. “Hey,” he smiled. “You were awesome tonight.” He sat next to her. “You know, Simon’s right. If you were 16, you’d probably win this whole thing.”

Lenore gave him a shy smile in return. She still remained silent, as she shyly climbed into his lap. She was happy everyone had liked her performance. But right now, all she wanted to do was go back to the mansion and sleep.

Ruben hugged her close, sensing her tiredness and need to be held. He was slightly surprised, when he looked down moments later, to find her sound asleep.

Clay came over to where they were eventually. “Sorry I took so long,” he apologized. “But there was a line-up for the rest room.”

Ruben shrugged. “It’s all right, man. She wasn’t upset, just happy.”

Clay nodded. “I knew she’d enjoy performing. She’s a true entertainer.”

“So are you, man. So are you,” Ruben told him, as he helped Clay get Lenore into his arms.

Lenore snuggled into Clay, somehow sensing she was in the safety of her brother’s arms.

Clay carried her out to the limo, and buckled her into the seat next to him. He chuckled at the fact that she barely even seemed to notice. Once back at the Idol mansion, Clay carried his sister up to their room and put her to bed. He’d left her in her clothes, only bothering to take her shoes and socks off her feet. he figured her rest was more important than changing into pajamas.

Backstreet Boy In California by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

The following week, after her performance, Lenore still kept silent. She knew of the plan Clay had conjured up, and liked it, but didn’t want to have to speak – they’d all have to wait for her to open up her mouth and sing.

Clay was on the phone with his brother, Jeff, when he spotted Lenore outside heading for the front gate. He wondered where she was going.

“Clay? Clay? Clayton!” a voice yelled through the phone, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“Sorry Jeff,” Clay apologized. “Got lost in thought for a moment.”

“No kidding,” Jeff said. “Now, what’s up?”

“Nothing. Just trying to figure out why Lenore’s – LEAVING THE YARD!” Clay answered, yelling the last bit. “Sorry. I gotta go catch her before she wanders off and gets lost.”

“It’s all right,” Jeff told him. “I understand perfectly.”

Clay said good-bye to his brother, hung up, then ran out the front door to go and catch his sister. “LENORE!” He yelled after her. “LENORE!”

Lenore didn’t hear him, as she’d her discman blasting into her ears. She left the yard, and turned left, starting to walk down the sidewalk.

Clay finally caught up to her, and grabbed hold of her shoulder.

Lenore let out a surprised yelp, when she felt someone grab her shoulder. She relaxed once she saw that it was only Clay.”

“Just where do you think you’re going?” Clay demanded.

To find A.J. McLean. She wrote down on a blank piece of paper in her notebook. He lives in California…

“You know you’re not allowed to go anywhere without telling someone first,” Clay scolded.

Forgot. She wrote. And kinda told Josh.

“Well, you didn’t tell me,” Clay replied, not at all amused.

Will you help look?

“No.”

Please?

“No.”

Can I go look then?

“No,” Clay told her. “You can march yourself inside and up to our room. And you can stay there until I call you for dinner.”

Lenore looked at him shocked. He’d never punished her before. BUT!

“It’s either you go upstairs in the next ten seconds, or you don’t sing tonight and I take away your Backstreet Boys CDs.”

Lenore stood there staring at him. She couldn’t believe it! This man was not her Clayton!

“1…2…3…” Clay began to count.

Lenore gave him an upset and very confused look, before darting across the huge yard and into the mansion. Once in their room she flopped down on her bed in tears.

Clay hadn’t mean to be so mean, but he was terrified of losing her too. If it weren’t for the fact he was scared and she hadn’t asked first, he would’ve gladly helped her track down the tattooed Backstreet Boy.


Clay waited a little while, getting his thoughts together, before going up to talk to her. He sighed slightly when he saw that she’d all her BSB CDs stacked in front of her, as though she were trying to protect them. “I’m not going to take them,” he stated as he entered the room.

Lenore scowled at him when she looked up at the sound of his voice. She was not happy with him. He, of all people, had punished her, and she didn’t really understand why.

Clay went over to her bed, and sat on the end of it. “I didn’t mean to yell, Honey. You just really should have asked first,” he explained. “If I don’t know where you are, I’ll thing something bad happened. And I don’t want to lose you too.”

Lenore stared at him. She couldn’t believe that he still cared. She made her way to the end of the bed, then crawled into his lap, so that she was straddling him. She then leaned in and hugged him tight.

Clay rubbed her back softly as he held her. “I’ll tell you what,” he began. “If you can behave the rest of the day, then tomorrow I’ll help you look for A.J. house. Okay?”

Lenore pulled back to look into his eyes, while still straddling him. “Really?” She mouthed.

“Really,” Clay smiled.

Lenore cast him a grin before kissing his nose and hugging him again.


That night at the results show, Lenore got to go with Clay and all the other idols to wardrobe and make-up. Everyone backstage was pleasant and friendly.

“You ready?” Ryan Seacrest asked her on his way out.

Lenore nodded, and flashed him her sweet little girl grin.

Ryan smiled back, ruffled her hair, and then went out onstage. “This is American Idol; I’m Ryan Seacrest. And we are live.” He paused a small moment. “Just so everyone knows, at the start of each results show, Lenore Parker will perform for us. After each performance, the judges will state their opinion, and hopefully won’t make the sweet little girl cry.”

“Oh, get on with it all ready!” Simon interrupted.

“Cowell’s actually impatient to see someone sing. Wow. There’s a first,” Ryan joked. “Now, here for you again tonight, singing Take Away My Pain, is Lenore Parker.”

Lenore came out singing as soon as the music started playing.

He said, “What else can you do, Babe? I guess I won’t be coming home again.” They just took away all my promises Make them take away my pain

Lenore headed for the right side of the stage, and flashed the crowd a quick smile.

His final scene The actor bows And all those years Are gone somehow The crowd applauds The curtain falls

Lenore turns and goes over to the left side, working the stage and charm in her own little way.

I was standing by the edge of the water I noticed my reflection in the waves Then I saw you looking back at me And I knew that for a moment You were calling out my name You took away my hero Will you take away my pain?

Lenore walks to the edge of the stage in front of the judges, and sits down to sing the last bit of the song she’d chosen.

Take away my pain Let the cold inside It’s time to let it rain There’s nothing left to hide Take away my pain I’m not frightened anymore I’m learning to survive Without you in my life 'Till you come knocking at my door…

Lenore sits there staring down at the floor for a moment, before getting up and standing center stage.

The crowd gave her another standing ovation, as did Paula.

Lenore smiled shyly and bowed slightly, as Ryan came over and put his arm around her.

“Girl, that was amazing,” Randy said, once it’d quieted down some. “You work the stage like an old pro.”

Lenore’s smile grew.

“Lenore, you are the cutest lil’ thing I’ve ever seen!” Paula gushed. “The innocence you bring is just – adorable!”

Lenore blushes slightly, and gives a small nod.

Simon smiles at her. “You are truly and amazing little girl with true natural talent. Should you make an album some day, I’ll be the first in line to buy it.”

Lenore giggled and hugged Ryan out of happiness.


True to his word, the next day Clay woke Lenore up bright and early, so that they could go hunting for A.J.’s house.

Some of the other contestants were already up when the two made their way into the kitchen.

“Morning,” Josh smiled. “Have a good sleep?”

Lenore nodded, then hopped up onto a stool at the counter. She poured herself a bowl of Kellog’s Frosted Flakes, and began to eat them dry.

“So, what are you guys doing today?” Josh asked.

Clay put two slices of bread into the toaster. “We’re going to look for Backstreet Boys,” he told Josh. “Apparently, A.J. lives here in California.”

“Ah, you like the Backstreet Boys, eh?” Josh said, looking at Lenore and seeing her nod. “Which one’s your favourite?”

Lenore grabbed her notebook and scribbled him a quick message. Brian and A.J.! Rest are tied!

Josh nodded. “I see. And why are they your favourites?”

Lenore writes him another message. Brian’s eyes and A.J.’s smirk! And they sing good too!

Josh chuckles. “Good reasons, Sweetie.”

Lenore cast him a shy smile, as she’d kind of developed a crush on him too.

After talking to Josh during breakfast, and Ruben and Kim Locke afterwards, the two siblings finally set off on their hunt. They strolled hand in hand down the street – one talking, the other scribbling notes and nodding or shaking her head.

Eventually they stopped off at McDonald’s for lunch, Lenore getting to play for a bit in the Play Land. Part of the reason for that being the fact that she was hoping A.J. would walk in, as he loves McDonald’s. Once she’d grown tired of playing, and realized that A.J. was not going to walk in, she allowed Clay to drag her outside and down the street.

Clay dragged his little sister down the street to the huge toy store he’d spotted on their way into McDonald’s. He smiled at her as he saw her face light up with excitement. “Two toys,” he told her. “Three tops. This place looks a little expensive.”

Three toys and two hundred dollars later, the two left the toy store laughing. Lenore had gotten the Ninja Turtles Battle Shell, Twister Moves, and a spy kit with all the trimmings. Also, unknown to her, Clay had also bought the Ninja Turtles and Backstreet Boys games he’d found. The two games Clay had found came to $48.25 in total. Meanwhile, the Battle Shell cost $40.25; Twister Moves $51.75. And finally, the spy kit cost $59. 75.

They carried the bags as they walked along, making them swing back and forth. They walked until later that afternoon, then turned and headed back towards the America Idol mansion. Though they hadn’t found the Backstreet Boy and house they’d been looking for, they’d still had a whole lot of fun.

That night when Clay tucked her into bed, Lenore thanked her brother for the great day she’d had. She smiled big and sang quietly.

It takes a lot to know what it love It’s not the big things, but the little things That can mean enough…

Clay smiled softly at her in return, then kissed her forehead. “You’re welcome, Honey. And maybe we’ll find A.J. next time.”

Lenore nodded, then rolled over to go to sleep. She smiled to herself when she felt Clay tuck the covers up around her.


Two days later the remaining eight finalists were at the mall shopping. There were still eight contestants, as they didn’t vote anyone off. The reason behind that being, they had to disqualify Corey Clark because of charges that had previously been pressed against him.

Lenore held tight to Clay’s hand, as the group made their way around the crowded mall. If there was one thing she knew right then, was that she did not want to get lost.

“Okay, how about we split up in groups, then meet at the food court for lunch,” Ruben suggested.

“Sounds like a play,” Clay agreed. “Mine’ll have to be a group of three though.” He nods his head towards his little sister.

“I’ll go with Clay and Lenore,” Kimberly Caldwell smiled falsely, before Carmen had a chance to stake claim on them.

“I’ll go with Kim,” Ruben said, smiling at Kimberly Locke.

“I’ll go with Josh,” Carmen piped up. “He can pretend to be my body guard or big brother or whatever.”

Josh laughed, then winked at Lenore, causing her to blush.

Trenyce and Julia also went their own way.

“Let’s go to that dress shop first!” Kimberly C. suggested. “They’ve a dress in there I really like!”

Clay nodded and followed her, dragging Lenore along with him.

Two hours later, they were still in the exact same dress store. Lenore, who’d long since grown bored, was watching people out in the mall walk by. It was while she was doing that, that she thought she saw A.J. McLean. She tugged on her brother’s arm urgently.

Clay looked down when he felt his sister tugging at his arm. He watched as she pointed out into the mall area. He sighed. “Honey, we’ll look around, as soon as Kimberly finds the dress she wants. I promised I’d help her out.”

But! A.J.! Lenore wrote quickly.

“We’re staying,” Clay told her firmly. “And we looked for A.J. yesterday.”

Lenore scowled at Kimberly and him both, then looked back out into the mall hoping to see A.J. again. She let go of her brother’s hand, and headed for the front of the store to look at the stuff they had there. While browsing, she was sure she’d spotted A.J. again. She glanced back at Clay – and knowing he wouldn’t leave until Kimberly was done – she decided to go after A.J. by herself. She was not about to miss out on meeting him all because the stuck-up blond with them couldn’t decide on a dress. She made sure no one was watching her, then very quickly slipped out of the store before anyone could catch her. She hurriedly ran after who she thought was A.J.

A half an hour later, Clay glanced around the store, looking to see where his little sister had gotten to. He could feel panic start to rush through his body when he realized she wasn’t in the store anymore.

Kimberly C. noticed the look on Clay’s face. “What’s wrong Clay?” She asked. “I found the dress I want.”

“Lenore’s gone!” Clay stated simply.

“What? Where’d the bra – I mean, where’d she go?” Kimberly queried, trying to sound concerned. Trying being the key word.

“I don’t know,” Clay answered. “If I did, I’d go and get her.” He pulled his AT&T cell phone out and text messaged the other contestants to let them know of their current situation.

Meanwhile, Lenore sat on a bench somewhere in the mall. It turned out the guy wasn’t A.J. Either that, or she’d lost track of the guy she’d been following originally. “Hope someone finds me soon,” she thinks to herself. “I’m hungry.”

Eventually, Clay spotted Lenore sitting on a bench on the third floor of the mall. He was relieved to have found her, yet still stormed over to where she was sitting angrily. “Just what do you think you’re doing, taking off on me like that?” He demanded.

Lenore looked up at him. Hi! She wrote. I got bored and thought I saw A.J. And I don’t like Kimberly!

“You do not take off on me ever because you don’t like someone and think you see a Backstreet Boy!” Clay snapped. “You know better!”

But! – I! – Just! - Lenore tried to explain on her notebook.

“You’re grounded and losing your BSB CDs until the next results show,” Clay informed her, not at all happy.

Lenore’s eyes go huge, and she opens her mouth to scream.

“You scream and I’ll spank your bottom, Lenore,” Clay said. “I’m not in a good mood right now.”

Lenore narrowed her eyes at him, opened her mouth, and screamed.

Clay whipped her around and smacked her behind. “You were warned,” he reminded her as she started to cry.

Lenore could not believe that the one person she loved more than anything had just spanked her. She just couldn’t! It was so not like her Clayton!

The Letter by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is wither a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Four days of being grounded, and not being able to listen to her BSB CDs, had been pure torture for Lenore. She still couldn’t believe that her Clayton had spanked and punished her. She never thought she’d see the day where he’d do that. She was amazed he was still letting her sing tonight, despite the fact she’d been able to keep her one BSB CD hidden from him for a whole day – he’d caught her listening to it and had taken it too away from her. She’d also been told that she’d have to go an extra day without them because of it.

Clay entered the room then. “You ready to go?” He asked her.

Lenore looked up from her colouring book and shrugged. She’d been so bored the past four days, having nothing to do really.

“Well, get your shoes and jacket on anyway, ‘cause we’re leaving now,” Clay told her.

Lenore rolled her eyes, then rolled off the bed. She’d been hoping to finish colouring her picture for her other brother, Jeff, before they’d have to go.

“Hey, be glad I’m even letting you sing tonight,” Clay said. “I originally wasn’t going to let you.”

Lenore was tempted to stick her tongue out at him, but thought better of it, and didn’t. She quietly trudged past him, and went downstairs to get her shoes and jacket on like she’d been told to.

A little bit later they were at the studio, and picking out their costumes. Lenore found a little marine’s outfit and stuck it on, then hid from everyone else. She made sure that no one saw her outfit until she was out on stage. She walked out briskly, then stood at attention until the music started. Once it started she began to move around as she sang. She was glad they never made her rehearse, as she liked to surprise everyone – Simon especially.

Mommy help, protect me from reality Tell me it’s a dream about bestiality Mommy please, just one more bedtime story In which the good guys have the glory

Lenore blinked back her tears, not wanting to cry in front of all the people watching her.

Mommy is it really true? All these cruel things we do Will I do such things when I am full-grown? Will you protect me or am I in this alone?

Lenore stared intently at Simon for the next bit, chilling him to the bone without knowing it.

Daddy, you’re the strongest man on earth Held away the demons since my birth But outside in the streets, those demons are the law And I can’t find your stories heroes anymore

Lenore wipes her eyes, as her unwanted tears had begun to fall. She closes her eyes and sings.

Daddy, today someone told me, may men are stronger than you Mommy, today someone told me, not all your stories are true

Once done, Lenore stood at attention again, her tears being hold back against their will.

The crowd cheered and applauded, some whistling as well.

“At ease, little soldier,” Simon told her.

Lenore stood at ease, like she’d seen Josh do so many times before.

Randy smiled at her, “Dawg, you continue to amaze me. That’s one thing I like about you, I never know what to expect.”

“You’re just full of surprises, aren’t you Sweetie?” Paula asked.

Lenore nodded quickly with a smile.

“I think being able to surprise your audience every time is a wonderful thing,” Paula continued. “It’s a gift that should always be treasured.”

“Before I comment on the song, I just want to know one thing,” Simon began. “Why the marines outfit?”

Ryan came over to where Lenore stood, as she scribbled something on the notepad she’d taken out of her shirt pocket.

Lenore handed Ryan the note, once she’d finished scribbling it down.

“She says,” Ryan started, then read her note aloud. “First two lines of the song…And I like Josh…”

Simon smiled at her, as she blushed. “I thought so,” he said. “And as for your performance, all I can say if this…” He stood up and applauded, unable to show how he felt otherwise.

Lenore beamed, saluted him, then briskly walked off stage.

Backstage, Josh was waiting for her. “Hey,” he grinned. “I liked your performance.”

Lenore blushed again. She went even redder when Josh hugged her and kissed her cheek.

Josh then stood at attention, as did she, and he saluted her.

Lenore saluted him back with a smile, then watched him and the other Idol contestants go out to perform the group song.

In the end, Julia DeMato was voted off.


That Friday, the remaining contestants had an interview to do. Not having anyone to look after Lenore, Clay let her tag along with them.

“Stay here,” Clay told her, after getting her a chair. “Do not go anywhere.”

Lenore nodded with a sigh. She was starting to get a little bored with all the ‘Idol’ stuff. No one had time for her anymore, and when they did it was limited.

Clay handed her a book to read, then headed over to where all the other Idols were.

Lenore, now all alone again, watched everyone as they got ready to be on T.V. She wished she could be interviewed too, but knew because she refused to talk, there was no way her brother would allow it. She’d slow everyone down, by writing all her answers down. She opened her book, read the first page, and lost interest in it. She set her book down on the floor next to her chair, then pulled out her notebook. She began to write a letter…

Dear Brian and A.J. Hi. My name’s Lenore, and I’m only 10 years-old. I am also Clay Aiken’s little sister. Would you believe he took your CDs away from me? An’ all ‘cause I thought I was following A.J.?
My Mommy an’ Daddy died few weeks ago an’ I really miss them ‘em. I been listening to you guys lots - 'cept for the days when Clay had my CDs. He don’t gets it though. I need your CDs to feel better – don’t feel too good without ‘em. Wish I could see you guys – but Clay’s too busy to help me find you. An’ my other big brother an’ sister don’t like me too much right now. Jeff’s mad ‘cause I gots my wish to see Clay, an’ Amy’s mad ‘cause I keep screaming. She don’ts know why I scream – she don’t care – Clay does. I love my Clayton lots an’ lots! Even if he spanked me for trying to find A.J. in the mall an’ not telling him first – tried, but he don’ts listen anymore.
He don’ts know how Mommy, Daddy, Brett, an’ Kayla die either. I do – but he dunno I do. He think Jeff an’ Amy only told me ‘bout it. Here’s my secret – I saw it happen, Brian, A.J. I did. Nobody knows that ‘cause I gots scared an’ ran rest of way to school. Mommy an’ Daddy were mad, that why I wasn’t in car too. An’ I was hurt an’ forgot to get Brett to walk with me like always. An’ Kayla…she never walks with me an’ was being mean anyway.
My birthday, an’ everybody ‘cept Brett was being mean. Only wanted to go an’ see Clay. Mommy an’ Daddy said no an’ I gots mad an’ yelled an’ Daddy spanked me an’ said I keep being bad an’ I ain’t getting nothing for my birthday. Guess I was bad….I still only have gots Brett’s gift. Jeff won’t let me have others.
Daddy an’ I fight in car too an’ he pulled over an’ told me to get out an’ I did. Daddy went through green light an’ big truck hit ‘em an’ I heard ‘em scream an’ saw car go BOOM! That when I gots scared an’ ran. Nobody knows how come I was only one at school.
Please don’t tell nobody! Not even other guys – I gots nightmares ‘cause of it an’ I hates it! Had to tell somebody, an’ nobody else gonna listen – that why I tell you guys.
I love you always!

Love, Lenore

Lenore finished her letter, then closed up her notebook and stuck it in her coat pocket again. She did not want for anyone – especially Clay – to find her letter to her two fave Boys.

Meanwhile, the American Idol contestants were all getting the chance to sing a song of their choice for the audience.

Knowing that Lenore could hear them perfectly from where she sat backstage, Clay began to sing.

Tell me how it feels What’s you’re going through Its life a little too real A little too real Take another breath Take another say Feel a little sad Let it fade away

Lenore gets up and heads for an area backstage where she’ll be able to see her brother and not just hear him.

Help me heal The way you feel Everything you conceal Let me see Wild and free Like a waterfall You know you can have it all Take my hand

Clay spots Lenore and looks at her as he signs the next part/

Help me help you Help me help you Help me help you Help me when you’re blue

Lenore stares back at her brother silently, debating if not telling him all she knew was the right decision.

You will be free some day The pain will go away Just leave it in the past You’re already on your way You know you can have it all Take my hand

Clay walks over to where Lenore stands, and picks her up. He then walks back out to finish his song.

Help me (When you wanna be turned around) Help you (When you wanna be turned around) Help me (When your world is upside down) Help you

By the time Clay had finished singing, Lenore was crying softly into his shoulder. There also wasn’t a dry eye in the studio, or in the hones of the viewers.

Clay rubs her back and kisses her head affectionately. “Let it all out, Honey,” he whispers to her softly. “It’s all right.”

And Lenore did just that. She cried into her big brother’s shoulder for the rest of the interview, and during the limo ride to McDonalds. She stopped once they reached McDonalds, as she was pretty much all cried out.

Clay bought her lunch, then let her play for a bit, hoping she’d feel a little happier afterwards.

In The Studio by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore, story idea, & the song in this chapter. Thank-you!

The following Wednesday, Lenore had decided to sing something she’d written, a’capella. She hadn’t let anyone see it either. She figured if Clay wanted to know exactly how she was feeling, the little song she’d written would definitely tell him.

She walked out on the stage, a determined stride in her step, that almost went unnoticed – Simon and Clay both acknowledged it silently.

Lenore eyed everyone, as though daring them to challenge her, then sang without stopping until the very end.

I hate you (I hate you) You left me here Scared and all alone I hate you (I hate you) No one left who understands The one who does is so far away I hate you (I hate you) Nobody knows what I’m going through Especially not you I hate you (I hate you) Can’t explain how it feels To have happiness ripped out from under you I hate you (I hate you) Oh, I hate you!

Lenore finished, then stood there nervously waiting for everyone’s reaction.

Ryan was the first to applaud, thus starting the audience applause and cheers. While the audience went nuts, everyone else was stunned by the words in her song. They couldn’t believe a sweet little girl, like Lenore, was hurt enough to hate.

Simon was the first to speak for a change. “I, for one, am absolutely stunned by the lyrics in your song; which I’m assuming you wrote yourself,” he began. “Why you wrote such harsh lyrics is beyond me.”

Lenore could feel her eyes brimming with tears, as she scribbled him a quick note, and handed it to Ryan.

Ryan read what she’d written, then hugged her, before reading her message aloud. “She says, Clay asked how I felt,” he told everyone. “This is how I feel. Sorry….”

Paula smiled at her. “There’s not need to apologize for how you feel, Sweetie. Everyone’s allowed to feel the way you do. I know I would if I were in your shoes.”

“Dawg, I like the tone of it all,” Randy stated. “You made it express the anger you feel, but without sounding to peed off.”

“Yes, your voice was different, and still quite nice,” Simon agreed. “The lyrics were just a bit shocking, that’s all. But keep up the good work.”

Lenore nodded, then disappeared backstage to hide so that she could cry in private. She wasn’t seen again until it was time to leave, and Trenyce had been voted off by the American public.

It was a quiet ride back to the mansion, as no one spoke a word. None of them knew what to say to Lenore about the song she’d written and sung.


On the Saturday, following Wednesday’s results show, the top eleven American Idol finalists were all in the recording studio. They were recording songs for the American Idol CD that they were getting to make. And, as usual, Lenore got to tag along with them.

Lenore sat on a chair in the one back corner, out of everyone’s way. While sitting there, she thought of something and tried to get her brother’s attention. She had no such luck, so she got up and went over and tugged on Clay’s sleeve.

Clay turned to see who had yanked on his shirtsleeve. “Lenore, go sit down,” he told her, not even bothering to find out what it was she wanted. When she didn’t go, he took her hand and lead her back to the chair he’d sat her in earlier. “Do not get in the way. We’re very busy.” He then left her again, and went back to where everyone else stood.

Lenore went over to Ruben this time, who looked down and smiled at her.

“Hey,” Ruben smiled. “What’s up?”

Lenore handed him her notebook, which said, How come I don’t gets to sing? I sing too!

Ruben handed her back her notebook and shrugged. “I dunno. Maybe because you aren’t actually a contestant.”

Lenore scowled, then stomped back to her chair disappointedly. She sat there quietly for a while, listening to her discman and colouring a picture. It was while Clay was getting ready for his turn, that she had to go to the bathroom. She scribbled a message on a blank page, then went over to bug her brother again.

Clay looked down at her, and before he could say a word, had a message thrust in his face.

I HAFTA PEE! Lenore had written.

Clay handed the note back to her. “Follow the hall to the end, turn right, and it’s the fourth door on your left. Make sure you go left as soon as you step out of this room.”

Aren’t you going to take me? Lenore wrote. I might get lost.

“No you won’t. And I have to sing right now,” Clay replied. “And don’t take forever. Come straight back when you’re done!”

Lenore sighed heavily, then, following her brother’s instructions, headed for the bathroom.

After going to the bathroom, she stood in the hallway she was in and looked around curiously. She’d never been in a studio before. It was while standing there, that she thought she heard A.J. and Brian singing. So, instead of going right to head back to her brother, she went left instead. She kept following the sound of their voices, until she’d no clue as to where she was.

While Lenore was yet again on a Backstreet Boys hunt, Clay was wandering the halls for her. He’d gotten worried when twenty minutes had gone by and she still hadn’t returned.

Lenore had just about reached the source of the voices, when she heard her brother call her name.

“Lenore!”

Lenore turned about to look at him.

“Just where do you think you’re going?” Clay demanded, not at all happy.

Heard Brian and A.J. Lenore explained on her notebook. Thought I could find them.

Unknown to them, a blond head had poked out a door.

“A.J. AGAIN!” Clay fumed. “And now Brian too! Lenore Parker!”

Sorry. Lenore scribbled sheepishly.

“Sorry won’t cut it this time! I’m sick of you taking off to find A.J.!”

And Brian. Lenore reminded him.

Clay glared at her. “I don’t care who else you were looking for! This has to stop! And it’s stopping right now!”

But I wanna find ‘em! Lenore protested. An’ you won’t listen to me!

Clay grit his teeth together. “No Backstreet Boys CDs for a month! And don’t you dare scream!”

Lenore’s jaw dropped in shocked, and she screamed without knowing it. What she did know, was that her brother’s hand hit her bottom pretty hard and fast. She started to sob, and as her brother dragged her down the hall, she could’ve sworn she saw Nick watching them…


Nick Carter had peeked out into the hallway when he heard shouting. He was surprised to find someone arguing with a little girl, who didn’t appear to talk. He’d wanted to get the other guys, so that they could go meet her, but was too transfixed by the argument to move. After he’d seen the girl get spanked, he turned to go and get the other guys.

“Nick! Get in here!” Kevin yelled.

Nick went over to where the other Boys were. “Hey, guys,” he began. “There was a little girl in the hall trying to find us….”

“Yeah, sure Frack,” Brian laughed.

“No! Seriously!” Nick argued. “She was looking for Brian and A.J. Seems she heard them singing.”

“Is she still out there?” Kevin asked.

“I dunno. Whoever found her was pretty mad that she’d taken off to find A.J. again,” Nick stated. “I guess she was arguing with the guy, ‘cause he spanked her when she screamed.”

“Why’d she scream?” Howie wanted to know.

“He told her she couldn’t listen to our CDs for a month,” Nick said.

“Ouch,” A.J. piped up. “I’m assuming she’s a big fan, if this isn’t the first time she’s gone looking for me.”

“Did you catch their names, Nick?” Kevin queried.

“I didn’t catch his, but hers is Lenore Parker,” Nick told them.


Before leaving the studio that day, Lenore gave her letter for A.J. and Brian, to the woman at the front desk. She’d managed to do it without her brother knowing too. She had also managed to find an envelope to put it in. Seems luck was suddenly on her side for a few short minutes.

The Boys received her letter just as they were leaving. The woman at the front desk had called hem over, and handed the letter to A.J., as his name was the biggest on the envelope. They read it in the car, and refused to believe the girl who’d written the letter was really Clay’s little sister. There was just no way the Lenore Parker who’d left the letter for them, and the Lenore Parker Nick had seen in the hall, were the same little girl. There was just no way.

If I Can't Even Smile Today by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is either what Lenore has written of a song. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea! Thank-you!

Lenore sat on the edge of the stage at the start of the next results show. Not even Ryan had come out yet. And since she was still incredibly hurt, and didn’t have her BSB CDs to comfort her anymore, this is what she sang.

Here I sit and watch my world come crumbling down I cry for help but no one’s around Silently screaming I bang my head against the wall It seems like no one cares at all

Lenore looks down momentarily, then looks up again.

Always an emotion, but how can I explain? – how can I explain? Kind of like the scent of a rose, with words I can’t explain The same with my pain Caught up in emotion – goes over me head – goes over my head Sometimes I got to think to myself is this life or death? Am I living or am I dead?

Lenore shifts slightly, as her bottom was starting to fall asleep from sitting on the edge of the stage.

I search for personality and look for things I can not see Love and peace flash through my mind – pain and hate are all I find Find no hope in nothing new – never had a dream come true Lies and hate and agony – through my eyes that’s all I see

Lenore looks out at the audience sadly.

If I’m gonna cry – will you wipe away my tears? If I’m gonna die – Lord please take away my fear Before I drown in sorrow – last thing that I’ll say How will I laugh tomorrow – if I can’t even smile today? Today, today – when I can’t even smile today Today, today – when I can’t even smile today

Lenore sighs heavily closing her eyes, then opens them again. She sings with tears in her eyes.

How will I laugh tomorrow – if I can’t even smile today? How will I laugh tomorrow – if I can’t even smile today?

Lenore finishes to loud applause and cheers like always. Normally she loved the attention, but right then she wished they’d all disappear, sp that she could drown in her sorrow.

Randy smiled at her as he shook his head. “The emotion in that was heart-breaking,” he told her. “I just - I wanna hug you, Dawg.”

Lenore gave him a tiny smile and a slight nod. She waited for Paula to critique her.

“Sweetie, you are such a little doll,” Paula said. “You know how to pull the audience in, so that they can feel your emotions.”

“I felt that song a sympathy cry,” Simon stated. “Your voice is amazing, but that song was all wrong. There is no need to think Clay doesn’t care, when he’s been busy, and you refuse to listen.”

Lenore glared at Simon for the first time ever, and stuck out her tongue. She knew if she gave him the finger she’d immediately be spanked, and didn’t want that. Once putting her tongue back in her mouth, she jumped up and ran backstage as fast as she could.


Lenore awoke two nights later in a cold sweat. She’d had yet another nightmare of the crash that had claimed half of her family. She was sitting up in her bed sobbing, with a teddy bear clutched to her chest. She glanced over at the other bed in the room, and noticed that her brother still slept soundly.

Clay was in a deep sleep, when he thought he felt someone crawl into his bed. He groggily opened his eyes and found his baby sister staring at him – tears streaming down her small face. “What’s wrong, Honey?” he mumbled. He sighed into his pillow as she just kept on crying. He sat up and pulled her into his lap and held her as she cried.

Lenore buried her face into her brother’s chest and cried – wetting his pajama top with her tears.

“Honey, I can’t help you, if you don’t tell me what’s wrong,” Clay told her softly. He handed her, her notebook off the night table, and watched as she attempted to scribble him a quick note.

Want Mommy an’ Daddy. She wrote to him. An’ I had a nightmare.

Clay, who didn’t know about all her other nightmares, just rubbed her back and kissed her head. “What was it about?”

You left me all alone. Lenore answered. An’ Jeff was mean an’ yelling an’ kept spanking me an’ stuff. An’ Amy hated me an’ so did Brett an’ Kayla.

“Nobody hates you, Honey,” Clay assured, hugging her closer. “We all love you, no matter how mad you may make us.”

Promise?

“Of course I promise,” Clay said, giving her a warm smile. “I’m always going to love you, Hun.”

Lenore hugs him even tighter upon hearing those words.

The two of them snuggled down into the covers, Lenore cuddling into Clay as much as she can.


Across the state, in Malibu, A.J. McLean stood pacing his living room. “You’re sure the girl’s name was Lenore Parker?” He asked as he paced back and forth.

“Yes!” Nick exclaimed exasperated. “I’m not deaf, Alex!”

A.J. stops pacing long enough to glare at him, then resumes his pacing. “I’m just asking.”

“Well, you’ve all been asking since we got that letter,” Nick retorted.

“It’s because Clay does have a little sister,” Brian piped up. “She sings at the beginning of every American Idol results show.”

“How am I supposed to know that, when I don’t even watch the damn show?” Nick snaps.

“I’ve actually only caught a few shows myself,” Kevin said.

“Me too,” Howie admitted.

“I watch it every week,” A.J. stated. “And the lil’ girl’s cute, though I forget her name.”

“Clay’s parents and two siblings did pass away not too long ago,” Howie put in. “I remember seeing it on Entertainment News.”

“That doesn’t help us any, D.,” A.J. groaned. “It just means that the whole world knows how they died and not just Clay’s family.”

“I do know what the girl looks like,” Nick reminded them. “I can always point her out if I see her again.”

“And the chances of you seeing her again are very slime, Frack,” Brian replicated.

“Yah never know, Frick,” Nick smiled. “It could happen – if it’s fate and god’s will.”

“Okay, did Frick ‘n’ Frack switch bodies again and not tell us?” A.J. queried.

“Looks that way, Bone,” Kevin laughed. “You never know with them.”

Frick ‘n’ Frack shared a look, then beaned Kevin with couch pillows in unison.

Everyone laughed at the look on Kevin’s face, then took cover as an all-out pillow fight began. As usual, they teamed up, and as usual, Kevin was left alone to fend for himself.

An hour later, they all collapsed to the floor on their backs, completely hysterical. They hadn’t had a pillow fight like that in a long time.

“Hey, guys,” A.J. began once he’d sobered up some. “I’m gonna find that lil’ girl.”

A chorus of “Me too!” was heard from the other four Boys.


The end of that week was Christmas; so all the remaining Idols got to go home for the holidays.

Lenore and Clay headed home to Raleigh, North Carolina, down-heartedly. They both knew that half the gifts they’d gotten would have to be returned.

Amy met them at the airport alone, as Jeff had stayed back at the house. She drove them home, only her and Clay talking, as Lenore had dozed off in the backseat.

Once they reached the house, Jeff came out to help Amy with the luggage, while Clay carried Lenore inside and to her room.

“How’s she been?” Jeff wanted to know, once Lenore had been put to bed. “She been behaving?”

Clay rolled his eyes. “I’ve had to spank and take away her BSB CDs twice,” he told them. “She keeps taking off to find A.J.”

Jeff shook his head. “I said she’d get in the way. But does anyone listen to me?”

“Give it up, Jeff,” Amy stated. “She’s a kid; give her a break.”

The three of them went to bed, after having had made sure that Santa would indeed come that night. They all slept soundly until morning; they all awoke to Lenore banging away on the keyboard Santa had brought for her.

Lenore grinned at her older siblings as they trudged downstairs into the den where she sat. She stopped playing long enough to run over and give them each a hug. She then ran over and plopped down in front of the fully decorated Christmas tree. She couldn’t wait to open all those pretty looking gifts.

Jeff sat down in the chair, which his stepfather had always sat in, and began to pass out the gifts.

Lenore hugged them all upon unwrapping a gift they’d gotten her, then would resume her spot on the floor to open more.

Every so often one of them would stop, as a memory would hit them. But other than that, the missing members or their family weren’t mentioned. The oldest three figured it would be too painful for Lenore, and none of them wanted to ruin their little sister’s happiness right then.

Eventually Lenore disappeared, then re-entered the room with a gift behind her back. They watched as she slowly and shyly made her way over to Jeff. She blushed slightly as she handed him the homemade present.

Jeff took it from her and opened it carefully. He could tell she looked nervous and wondered why. She never looked this nervous – not even when performing live for all the American Idol fans. He realized why she was nervous once he’d finished unwrapping his present.

The gift Jeff now held in his hands was an amazing drawing of Lenore and him. Everything from the shading to the colouring was absolutely perfect and amazing. It was also in a homemade frame.

“Did you draw this?” jess asked, once he was able to find his voice.

Lenore nodded slightly, as she blushed.

“It’s amazing,” Jeff whispered as he pulled her into a much needed, and long overdue hug. He’d never received anything this special before in his life!

Lenore beamed even more, and crawled into his lap – she remained there most of the day.

Why Can't I, Be There Where You Are? by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is either what Lenore has written or a song. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Note: This is the most important chapter!

It was the New Year, and the Backstreet Boys were crowded around A.J.’s television, waiting for American Idol to come on.

“You think she’ll be there?” Nick asked. “What if she moved back home?”

“Frack, if you saw the way she glows when she sings, you’d know, there is no way she’d give this up for anything,” Brian stated. “Now, relax, would yah?”

Nick sat down and shut up just as the program came on.

The five Boys watched silently as the music to one of their songs began to play, as the young girl came out on stage.

The girl was wearing faded blue jeans, and a BSB shirt, that looked homemade and was slightly faded. She stood center stage, then began to sing as pictures of her deceased family members flashed across the screen behind her.

So many words for the broken heart It’s hard to see in a crimson love So hard to breathe Walk with me and maybe….

The girl walked to the front of the stage.

Lights of night so soon become Wild and free, I can feel the sun Your every wish will be done, they tell me

The Boys watch as the girl stares directly into the camera.

Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling that I need to walk with? Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

“That’s her!” Nick exclaims suddenly.

“You sure Frack?” Brian asked.

“Yes! Absolutely, positively, a gazillion, billion, google percent sure!” Nick says excitedly.

They watched as the screen behind the girl suddenly stayed on a picture of her father.

Kevin felt a lump in his throat as he watched her sing his part in silence.

Life goes on as it never ends Eyes of stone observe the trends They never say forever gaze if only Guilty roads to an endless love (Endless love) There’s no control Are you with me now? Your every wish will be done

Kevin wiped his tears away, as he saw the little girl on the screen wipe hers.

They tell me…. Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling I need to walk with? (Tell me why) Tell my why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

The Boys all sat wiping the tears from their eyes as they watched her sing.

There’s no where to run I have no place to go Surrender my heart, body, and soul How can it be you’re asking me to feel the things you never show

“Hey, Bone? Why’s she singing the whole song?” Brian asked. “I thought they’re only supposed to sing part of it.”

“I dunno Rok,” A.J. answered. “Maybe there’s a reason they’re letting her sing the whole song.”

You are missing in my heart Tell why can’t I be there where you are

The Boys were shocked at the anger and hurt they heard in her voice as she sang those two lines louder than she had the rest of the song.

Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling I need to walk with? (Tell me why) Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

The girl closed her eyes momentarily, then sang the chorus one last time.

Show me the meaning of being lonely (Being lonely) Is this the feeling I need to walk with? Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

“Are you guys thinking what I’m thinking?” Howie asks the other four.

The other Boys nod silently.

“I’ll make the calls,” Kevin offers.

The other Boys nods once more, and wait to hear what the judges have to say about her performance.


As soon as the song had ended, Clay immediately went out and scooped his sister up into his arms. He held her close, and buried his face into her hair, as his own tears began to fall.

Everyone, including the three judges and Ryan, stood to give her a standing ovation. And what was even more shocking than Simon giving her a standing ovation, was the fact that he too looked to have tears in his eyes.

Once they were both calm, Clay set his sister back down and dried her eyes. He then turned her about to face the judges, who were still applauding her.

“Dawg, you had me from the very first note, to the very last note,” Randy smiled. “This was by far the best performance you’ve given.”

Paula wiped her eyes. “Lenore….I’m amazed at how amazing you sounded. I bet if the Backstreet Boys were watching right now, they’d be very proud of you….”

Lenore smiled at the very thought of that. She always did wonder if they were watching the show.

“I’m not normally a fan of boy bands….but for once, I liked a boy band song very much,” Simon smiled at her. “I agree with Paula and Randy. If the Backstreet Boys are watching the show right now, I’m sure they’ll agree with me when I say; they’ve forever lost their song to you. And not only was tonight your best performance, it was definitely the best performance I’ve seen from anyone throughout this entire season.”

Lenore’s whole face lit up at Simon’s words. She quickly got off the stage and hugged him tightly.

Simon smiled as he hugged her back. “Normally, I don’t like the thought of children in this business; but you are my only exception to that thought. You actually belong on that stage.” He kissed her cheek after she’d kissed his. “Now, go back to your brother before I ruin my image anymore, and so we can get on with the show.”

Lenore giggled, then ran back to her brother, who was now smiling ever so proudly at her.

Clay scooped his little sister back up into his arms, then carried her backstage.

Once they were backstage, the remaining idols applauded Lenore and her amazing performance.

“Kiddo, I think you’re the only one who is ever going to have Simon’s full respect,” Josh told her smiling, as he ruffled her hair.

Lenore blushes slightly, then squirms down from her brother’s arms, and runs over to Ruben.

Ruben smiled and pulled her into his lap and hugged her like he always did after she’d performed.

Lenore sat quietly with Ruben the rest of the night, except for when he had to go out and perform.

Chapter 10 by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!

Lenore sat by the pool at the Idol mansion, her feet dangling in the water. She was lost in thought, and completely oblivious to the rest of the world.

Flashback….

Ray Parker came downstairs, only to find his youngest child, Lenore, running around in her bathing suit.

“Daddy!” The excited five-year-old shrieked. “We go swimming?”

“We’ll see,” Ray answered, picking her up once she’d reached him. “You’ll have to ask Mommy first.”

Lenore smiled and laid her head on her father’s shoulder. She was a suck and Daddy’s little girl.

Ray carried her into the kitchen, where his wife, Faye Aiken-Parker, stood by the stove making pancakes. He went over to where she was, still holding Lenore, and kissed her cheek. “Morning, Honey.”

“Morning,” Faye answers.

“Mommy?” Lenore says softly. “We go swimming?”

“Mommy has to work, Baby,” Faye tells her. “But, maybe Daddy will take you.”

Lenore looks at her father with pleading eyes.

Ray chuckles and kisses her head. “Daddy’ll take you, Sweetie.”

Lenore smiled big and throws her arms about her father’s neck. “Love Daddy….”

Her other siblings entered the kitchen then, and they all sat down around the table to eat the wonderful smelling pancakes.

Once breakfast was done, and everyone was ready to go, Ray took all six children to the Public Pool.

Jeff, the oldest at twenty-three, picked up his eight-year-old sister, Kayla, and carried her over to some lawn chairs near the pool. Amy, who was eighteen, followed Jeff, carrying their six-year-old brother, Brett. Finally, Clay, who was thirteen, followed suit, carrying their baby sister, Lenore. Ray followed all of them, carrying their pool stuff.

The older siblings, who were actually his stepchildren, set their younger siblings down, and helped them with their suntan lotion. Once everyone, but Lenore, was ready, he permitted them to go in the pool, provided the older ones watched the younger ones.

“Daddy,” Lenore whines. “Wanna swim!”

“After you get your floaties on,” Ray informs her. “You need them if you’re to go in.” he noticed then, that her one floatie had a hole in it. He sighed and looked at her. “Sit here on the chair, and don’t move,” he orders. “Daddy will be right back. Do not go near the water!”

Lenore nodded, and sat on the end of the one pool chair. She watched her Daddy leave, and minutes later, grew bored of waiting. She looked in the pool and saw all her other siblings splashing around. She looked around, but couldn’t see her Daddy anywhere. She sighs, and slides off the chair, automatically heading for the semi-crowded pool. She’d just reached the edge, when she heard someone yell her name.

“Lenore!” Ray yelled, spotting his youngest about to go in the pool alone and without her floaties. “Don’t move!”

Lenore turned and looked at her father innocently. She’d only wanted to join her siblings in the pool.

Ray stormed over to her. “I told you not to move,” he says angrily, then smacks her bottom good. “You never go in the water alone or without your floaties!”

Lenore began to cry, as her father picked her up, and carried her back to the pool chairs, they’d staked claim on.

Ray sat Lenore down on the chair. “You are not to move an inch until I say so,” he states firmly.

“Wanna swim!” Lenore wails.

“You should’ve thought of that, before you decided not to listen,” Ray retorts. “You can sit here and think about why you’re not to go near the pool alone.”

Lenore sat there in the chair and cried. She wanted to swim, and she wanted to swim now!

Clay eventually got out of the pool, and came over to where they sat.

“Aren’t you coming in?” Clay asks Lenore.

“She’s being punished,” Ray answers before she could.

“Why?” Clay wants to know.

“She tried to go in the pool alone,” Ray answers. “She knows the rules.”

Clay lifted Lenore up, sat down, and set her in his lap. He held her close and kissed her head. “I’ll sit with you, okay?” Clay tells her, but asks Ray.

Ray nods his approval, as Lenore nods to shows she understands and wants him there.

Lenore snuggles into her brother, and sticks her thumb in her mouth, sucking on it quietly.

Eventually, Ray decides she’d learned her lesson, and helps her get her floaties on.

Lenore clung tightly to her Daddy, as he carried her towards the pool. “Swim, Daddy?”

“Yes, Baby,” Ray smiles. “We’re going to swim now.”

Lenore squealed as the water touched her feet. She loved water and loved swimming.

Ray smiles as he helps his youngest daughter swim and splash around. He loved the way she got so excited about everything – big or small.

They all swam and splashed around for a few more hours, before heading off for ice cream. After having their ice cream, they went home, and Ray put Lenore and Brett down for a nap. Though, mind you, he ended up napping with them.

End of Flashback….

Lenore wiped her eyes, brushing her tears away, as she continued to stare at the water. She hadn’t gone swimming even once since the accident. This was actually the closest she’d gotten to it. She hoped her brother wouldn’t get mad the she was by the pool alone. Unknown to her though, Clay stood watching her from the one back window. He was also thinking about the same day she was thinking about.


“Now, here singing, Heal The Pain, by George Michael, is Clay Aiken,” Ryan told the audience.

You tell me you’re cold on the inside How come the outside world Be a place that your heart can embrace Be good to yourself Because nobody else Has the power to make you happy

Clay sang the chorus to his sister, who sat down below in the audience again.

How can I help you Please let me try to I can heal the pain That you’re feeling inside Whenever you want me You know that I will be Waiting for the day That you say you’ll be mine

Clay moves to a different spot on the stage, and goes on singing.

He must have really hurt you To make you say the things that you do He must have really hurt you To make those pretty eyes look so blue

Clays walks back to where he’d originally been, in front of the judges, and sings the last bit perfectly.

How can I help you Please let me try to I can heal the pain That you’re feeling inside Whenever you want me You know that I will be Waiting for the day That you say you’ll be mine

All the ‘Clay Mates’ screamed and applauded loudly. Once they’d all calmed down, the judges spoke.

“Dawg, I know you keep trying to get messages across to someone,” Randy started. “But I think they’re getting a little old and going unheard. To me, the song choice could’ve been a whole lot better, Dawg.”

Paula was next. “Clay, you know that I love everything you do,” she smiles. “And I think trying to convey a message to someone is a wonderful thing.”

Lenore, who was getting to be an honorable judge that night, passed her notebook, like always, to Ryan.

Ryan, who was now standing in front of the judges’ table, took it from her. “Hiya Clay! I’m a judge! Hehe! Anyway, I disagree with Randy. I hear the messages only and know yah singing to me. I gets it,” Ryan reads. He pauses then continues. “Corny song. Should’ve sang I Want It That Way. You’re real good at that one! Love you!”

Clay smiles as everyone laughs. “Love you too, Honey,” he tells her. “And thanks a lot.”

Simon, who had heard Clay sing BSB songs to his sister before, spoke next. “For once….I agree with your sister,” he smiles. “A Backstreet Boys song would’ve been wonderful, compared to that, as she put it, ‘corny song’, you just sang.”

“Thought you didn’t like boy bands, Simon?” Clay teased.

“I don’t,” Simon replied. “But if I had to choose between the Backstreet Boys song you sing to her, or that ghastly song you just sang….” He pauses. “Well, I’d choose I Want It That Way….”

Clay just shrugs, then stands there smiling as Ryan gives off the numbers to vote for him.

After Clay, was Ruben, who smiled throughout his entire performance.

Smile Though your heart is aching Smile Even though your heart is breaking Ruben gave Lenore a warm smile and continued.

…. You’ll get by If you just smile Oh, smile

The three regular judges, and the one honorary one critiqued Ruben, then sent him on his way.

After the show, Clay playfully cornered his sister. “Hey, how come Ruben got a better review than me, from you?” He wanted to know.

Lenore smiled innocently at him and wrote, Like his song more ‘en yours. Yours sucked.

Clay looked at her in mock anger. “I’ll get you for that!” He declares.

Lenore shrieks with delight, as she takes off running, with her brother chasing her, and threatening to cal upon the tickle monster.

Don't Talk To Strangers by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!
Lenore walked out on stage with her brother, and had him sit on the stairs leading down to the audience. She then walked back to center stage and began to sing.

Will you be there beside me? If the world falls apart And will all of our moments Remain in your heart Will you be there to guide me? All the way through, I wonder will you

Lenore walks around the stage, loving the attention more than anything.

Walk by my side, and follow my dreams And bear with my pride, as strong as it seems Will you be there tomorrow?

Lenore walks over to her brother and sits on his lap. She looks into hjs eyes and sings the next bit to him.

Will you be there beside me? As time goes on by And be there to hold me Whenever I cry Will you be there to guide me? All the way though, I wonder will you

Lenore stays in her brother’s lap, but looks out at the audience as she sings the last line of the song.

Walk by my side, and follow my dreams

Lenore looks at Clay, and smiles as he hugs her tight and kisses her head.

“I will, Honey,” Clay whispers in her ear. “Love you….”

“That was sweet, man; that was sweet!” Randy says. “The way you sang that to your brother….Man! It was sweet!”

Paula smiled at her. “I think it was nice that you’d want to do that for your brother, and share it with everyone. It shows just how open with everyone you really are.”

Lenore smiles back at her, then looks to Simon, while not moving from her brother’s lap.

“I thought it was sickeningly sweet. So sickeningly sweet, it makes you want to gag,” Simon stated. “You are capable of so much more, as we saw last week. I don’t think you’ll ever be able to out-do last week’s performance. Ever.” He winks at her when no one else is looking.

Lenore smiles sweetly at him, then sticks her tongue out.

Simon does the same back, making Lenore giggle.

Clay just smiles and shakes his head at them. He then stands up, throws his sister over his shoulder, and walks off stage.

The rest of the show was amazing, though everyone was sad to see Kimberly Locke voted off. With her gone, it meant that Ruben and Clay were the final two Idol contestants; on of them was to be the next American Idol.

Lenore giggled to herself, as she thought about having Clay and Ruben all to herself for a week. And maybe – just maybe – the three of them would find time to check out Disney Land – and hunt down A.J.


The next day, Clay and Ruben, the last two Idol contestants, were invited to a movie premiere. And, as always, Lenore got to tag along with her brother.

“Now, you have to stay close, Lenore,” Clay told her as their limo pulled up in front of the theater. “There’s a whole lot of people here tonight.”

Lenore nodded, and stepped out of the limo behind him. The next thing she knew, people were screaming and taking pictures. Instinctively she grabbed hold of her brother’s hand.

Clay gave her hand a squeeze, then led her down the red carpet. He smiled and waved at everyone as they walked.

They, Ruben and Clay, stopped a couple times to talk to reporters, but made sure no one asked Lenore anything.

While they walked, Lenore looked around absolutely star-struck. She could not believe just how many celebrities were there. Everywhere she looked, she’d spot someone famous.

Finally, the three of them made their way inside the theater. Inside, celebrities were jammed packed all over the place. They wound up being stopped by some of them, as they were fans of the show.

Lenore’s eyes went huge, when David Hasselhoff approached them. She scribbled a message to her brother hurriedly, afraid David would leave before she’d finished. She tugged on her brother’s sleeve urgently.

Clay glanced down at his sister, and laughed when he read her message.

“What’s so funny?” David Hasselhoff asked.

Clay handed him the notebook, causing Lenore to look mortified.

David read the message…. IT’S MITCH! IT’S MITCH! CLAY! IT’S MITCH! …. TELL HIM I SAY HI! TELL HIM I LOVE HIM! CLAY! I WANNA HUG MITCH! THE LT. MITCH BUCHANNON! ….

He chuckles, and crouches down to the little girl’s height. “So, I’m Mitch, huh?” He smiles.

Lenore nods her head frantically.

David Hasselhoff kisses her cheek, then gives her a hug. “Would you like me to sign your book?”

Lenore nodded again, though this time she was blushing as well. She watched as he signed her notebook, beaming when he gave her another hug after giving it back. her grin was even bigger when he ruffled her hair after standing back up.

They went their separate ways after that; David going one way, and them another. The three of them found seats together and sat down.

Lenore, who was still excited from meeting “Mitch”, was practically bouncing in her seat. She just could not sit still. She sat there bouncing, and pointing out any celebrities she knew of and could see from her seat.

“Honey, calm down,” Clay laughed. “I know you’re excited, but you’re gonna have to sit still once the movie comes on.”

Eventually, Jersey Girl, the movie they were there to see, started. About half way through the movie though, Lenore got hungry.

Lenore passed her brother a note. “I’m hungry. Can we gets snacks? Please?

Clay nodded, got up, and led her out to the snack line-up. Once at the counter, he got their stuff, and turned to hand Lenore hers. He cursed himself silently, when he saw that she’d disappeared on him yet again.

Lenore had been standing in line next to her brother, patiently waiting for her snacks, when she thought she saw A.J. again. And, as usual, she took off after him, without telling her brother.

Clay pocketed his change, and the snacks, then went off in search of Lenore. “Watch her say she saw A.J.,” he grumbled to himself. Lately, it seemed the only time his sister broke the rules, was if she thought she saw A.J. McLean. And he was getting quite sick of that excuse – A.J. or no A.J. – she knew better!

Lenore hurried after the person she’d deemed as A.J., only to end up following him outside, and then lose sight of him.

“Hey, Kid,” a gruff voice spoke from the shadows. “What are you doing out here? Shouldn’t you be with your brother?”

Something about the man’s voice made her trust him, yet not want to get too close. So, for the first time since the accident, she spoke. “Thought I saw A.J.,” she told the mystery man. “But I guess I’m just seeing things again.”

“A.J. who?” The man wanted to know.

“He’s a Backstreet Boy,” Lenore answered. “I keep seeing an’ hearing him, but every time I get close, he either disappears, or Clay catches me.”

“I bet Clay gets mad when you disappear on him.”

“Yeah,” Lenore admits softly. “I get spanked. Might get spanked now, when he finds me.”

“Well, you shouldn’t ever take off on him – even if you think you see A.J.,” the man told her.

“But why not?” Lenore queried. “I love A.J. – and Brian.”

“That’s a good thing, Kiddo,” the man starts. “But your brother loves you more than you could ever love A.J. he doesn’t want something bad to happen to you. If you don’t stay close to him, or let him know where you’re going, bad people could get you and you’d never see him again.”

“Oh,” Lenore said softly. “I always forget that. A.J. makes my mind blank.”

“And Kiddo, you shouldn’t talk to stranger,” the man stated. “Because you never know who they can be.”

“You won’t tell Clay, will you?” Lenore fretted.

“No. Your secret’s safe with me,” the man replied honestly. “But when he finds you, you’d best act like I’m not here.”

Lenore nodded, just as Clay found her.

“Lenore Parker!” Clay yelled. “Get your bottom over here! Now!”

Lenore glanced at the mystery man, then quietly went over to her brother.

Clay glanced around, and seeing no one there, spanked her good and hard. “No more Backstreet Boys! Period!” He practically yelled right in her face.

Lenore sobbed as she was dragged back inside, and to their seats.

Meanwhile, the mystery man finished his smoke, and stepped out of the shadows. He shook his head, feeling a little bad for the sweet girl he’d talked to. “Poor Kid,” he said to himself in a whisper. “She didn’t have a clue.” He butted his cigarette, then headed back inside to join two of his four friends.

“Where’d yah go?” One asked him.

“For a smoke,” he answered, deciding to tell them the rest later.

The two nodded their heads, and returned their attention back to the movie.

But for the mystery man, his thoughts were clouded with his and the little girl’s conversation.

Idol Finale by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!
Saturday was a long day for the three still in the Idol mansion. It was the day Clay decided to send all of his sister’s BSB merchandise home.

Lenore stood at the top of the stairs screaming hysterically, as Clay tossed her stuff carelessly into a box. He didn’t get it. She knew he didn’t understand. And she was too upset to even try to explain.

“Lenore! Shut-up!” Clay yelled from inside their room. “Screaming is not helping you any!”

“Man, are you sure you’re doing the right thing?” Ruben asked him. He’d noticed how Lenore rarely went anywhere without having something BSB related on her. “She seems pretty upset.”

“I don’t care!” Clay snapped.

“Well, maybe you should,” Ruben said, getting up after pocketing something. “She’s your baby sister, man. And you’re taking what she loves most away, when you don’t even know why she clings to them.”

“She’s obsessed. Plain and simple,” Clay answered. “Besides, what other reason could she possibly have for clinging to people she doesn’t even literally know?”

Ruben just shakes his head and leaves the room. He sits on the bed, with her in his lap.

Lenore stopped screaming once Ruben had picked her up.

Ruben pulls a small button out of his pocket. “I’ll have this hidden here in my room,” he told her. “If you need them, you can come in here and look at them. Just don’t get caught.”

Lenore nodded slightly and hugged him, then kissed her button. She hands the button back to him and pulls out her notebook. How come Clay never listens anymore? She asked. I gots stuff to tell him, bit I don’t think he’ll listen.

“I dunno, Kiddo,” Ruben answered. “I think because of the competition, he’s so much on his mind, that he doesn’t even have time to listen to himself.”

You’re busy an’ you listen. Lenore pointed out. How come you time to listen, when Clay don’t?

“Because I don’t have to be sad about losing anyone,” Ruben told her. “Like you, Clay misses your Mommy and Daddy. But he hasn’t really let anyone know that, because he’s so worried about you. And when you take off by yourself to find A.J., you scare him.”

Why Clay scared? Lenore wanted to know.

“He’s scared something bad will happen, and that he’ll lose you too. He doesn’t want to lose anyone else he loves,” Ruben stated.

Oh…. Lenore wrote. Didn’t know that….

Ruben just nods his head and continues to hold her. He rocked her for a bit, then pulled the book they’d been reading all week, out from under his pillow.

Lenore smiled when she saw he book, and cuddled into him even more as he began to read.

“The two girls smiled at each other secretly, knowing that their secret would be kept,” Ruben read. “They then tied their horses to the tree and went off to further explore their secret place….”


Finally it was the American Idol Finale, and everyone was backstage getting ready.

“Lenore!” Ryan Seacrest called, jogging over to her. He reached her, then spoke again. “You don’t sing until later, okay Sweetie? It’s going to be Clay, Ruben, and Kelly first.”

Lenore nodded, sighing slightly. She was used to getting to go first. She smiled though, as Ryan took her hand and led her out on stage with him.

“Good evening everyone. This is the American Idol Two finale, and we are here in the theater live,” Ryan said. “Tonight, I shall host the show, with my good buddy, Lenore. Now, so everyone knows, I’ll be doing most the talking; but Lenore is welcome to interrupt at anytime.”

Lenore giggled and shook her head slightly. She handed him a note.

Ryan laughs. “She says I’m silly.”

“That you are Ryan; that you are,” Simon piped up.

“And with us tonight, are the judges. Mr. Dawg himself, Mr. Randy Jackson,” Ryan said.

“Yeah! Yeah!” Randy shouts.

“And the ever enjoyable, and incredibly sweet as a flower, Paula Abdul,” Ryan continued.

“Hey Ryan,” Paula smiled. “Hey Sweetie.” She waved to Lenore.

“And…” Ryan began, only to be interrupted, as Lenore holds a sign up.

The drop-dead gorgeous, incredibly cute and sexy, Simon Cowell! Lenore’s sign read.

Ryan laughed. “That’s not quite what I would’ve said. But, I guess it’ll work. Even if it is only boosting his ego.”

Lenore beamed at Ryan, the judges, and everyone in the audience.

After all the introductions had been done, her and Ryan went to sit on the stools, that weren’t in anyone’s way.

Clay, Ruben, and Kelly came out to sing, then Clay and Ruben sang “Ain’t No Stopping Us Now”.

The night was exciting, and going quite well, but was shortly about to get even more exciting. Ryan, the judges, and Simon Fuller had a surprise in the works for someone on the show.

About halfway through, Ryan came out to introduce Lenore. “And now, singing for the last time this season, is Lenore Parker, with Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely.”

Lenore walked out to stand center state, as images of her family flashed across the screen behind her like last time.

Show me the meaning of being lonely

Lenore takes a breath, then really starts the song.

So many words for the broken heart It’s hard to see in a crimson love So hard to breathe Walk with my and maybe

Clay, whose standing backstage watching his sister, feels someone press a letter in his hand. He looks down and recognizes his sister’s writing. He doesn’t see the person, who’d passed him the note, walk out on stage to join Lenore.

Nights of light so soon become Wild and free I can feel the sun Your every wish will be done

Lenore stands there with her jaw hanging, as she hears the crowd scream. She stares at the person who had just sung with her in shock. She could not believe that the A.J. McLean was there smiling at her. She turned when she heard the other guys, not believing her eyes.

They tell me…

Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling I need to walk with? Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

The Backstreet Boys smile at Lenore, and all hug her, Kevin being the last.

“Sing with me,” Kevin whispered in her ear.

Lenore smiled big and nodded.

Life goes on as it never ends Eyes of stone observe the trends They never say forever gaze if only… Guilty roads to an endless love (Endless love) There’s no control Are you with me now? Your every wish will be done

Lenore grabs hold of A.J.’s hand and grins up at him, never have having felt so damn happy before in her life! She continues to sing with them.

They tell me… Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling I need to walk with? (Tell me why) Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

Clay finishes reading the letter he’d been handed, and smiled upon seeing Lenore on stage with the Backstreet Boys. He knew one of her biggest dreams had just come true. And thanks to the letter, he assumed A.J. or Brian had handed him, he now understood why the five guys on stage meant so much to her.

There’s no where to run I have no place to go Surrender my heart, body, and soul How can it be you’re asking me to feel The things you never show

The Backstreet Boys go quiet then, wanting Lenore to sing the next two lines on her own.

Lenore lets go of A.J.’s hand, and moves to stand a few steps in front of them. She needed to be alone and stand out for the next two lines of the song.

You are missing in my heart…

Tell me why I can’t be there where you are

The Backstreet Boys move forward to stand next to Lenore again.

Show me the meaning of being lonely Is this the feeling I need to walk with? (Tell me why) Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

The six of them move to stand on the very edge of the stage, as they sing the chorus one last time.

Show me the meaning of being lonely (Being lonely) Is this the feeling I need to walk with? Tell me why, I can’t be there where you are There’s something missing in my heart

The whole audience erupts in screams and gives them a standing ovation.

The six on stage thank the audience, then the five Boys turn to talk to Lenore.

“Quiet please,” Kevin says. “We’ve another surprise.”

The audience quiets, as Brian crouches down to Lenore’s height.

“Sweetie, if it’s okay with your brother, we’d like to give you a record deal,” Brian tells her.

Lenore’s jaw hits the floor and her eyes bulge out of her head.

A.J. crouches down next to Brian. “We’d also like for you to be our opening act.”

Lenore squeals delighted, and throws her arms about Brian’s neck.

Brian hugs her back, as the audience screams their approval once more.

A.J. hugged her next, whispering in her ear. “And Sweetheart, don’t talk to strangers.”

Lenore pulled back and stared at him wide-eyed. She hadn’t known it was him she’d talked to that night.

Once they’d gone backstage, Clay made his way over to then, and handed Brian back the letter. He picked his sister up and hugged her. “Honey, why didn’t you tell us you’d seen the accident?” He asked.

Lenore’s confused, until she spots the letter in Brian’s hands.

My fault. She wrote. Daddy mad at me. If he didn’t stop to let me out, they wouldn’t have been there when truck came.

“No. No,” Clay murmured kissing her tears away. “Honey, if daddy hadn’t let you out, we would’ve lost you too. It’s nott your fault. No one blames you.”

Lenore buried her face into her brother’s shoulder.

“Clayton’s right,” Jeff stated, as him and Amy approached them. “I didn’t mean to act like I blamed you. I was mad they’d died and the truck driver lived.”

“And I’m sorry, if I made you think it was your fault, too,” Amy piped up. “We’re upset they’re gone, but so glad God spared us you.”

Lenore smiled at her siblings, then the Backstreet Boys. She felt as though a huge weight had just been lifted off her chest, and she could breathe normally again.

“And Honey,” Clay began, as Ruben started to sign the last of his song. “If we can work something out, so that you can still be a kid, you can go on tour and have the record deal.”

Lenore hugged Clay tight, as Jeff and Amy nodded their agreement.

Clay kissed her head, then went out on stage to sing Bridge Over Troubled Water, after setting her back down.

Lenore ran back over to A.J., and giggled as he picked her up. She kissed his cheek, blushing when he kissed hers in return. “Thanks,” she whispered in his ear. “And it’s not nice to pretend you’re a stranger.”

A.J. chuckles. “Well, I didn’t want to ruin our surprise, Sweetheart. Ever since Nick spotted you in the hallway at the studio, we’ve been trying to find you.”

That was Nick? Lenore asked on her notebook.

Howie nodded, as he’d read her question. “Yep. It was Nicky.”

Kevin looked at Nick. “You were right about it being fate and God’s will for us to meet her.

“Never under estimate the mind and knowledge of the young blond,” Nick smiled, making them all laugh.

They then headed for their reserved seats in the audience to watch the rest of the show.


Lenore was sitting in A.J.’s lap, when Ryan finally decided it was time to read the results.

“Tonight, the next American Idol shall be given a record deal,” Ryan began. “And the new American Idol is…”

Clay turned so that he was now facing Ruben.

“Ruben Studdard!” Ryan stated. “Congratulations Buddy!”

Clay and Ruben hug, then Ruben is handed a microphone to sing, Flying Without Wings.

Once Ruben had finished his song, his family made their way up on stage to congratulate him. They all hug, and smile, despite their tears of happiness.

Lenore slides down out of A.J.’s lap, then runs up the stairs and onto the stage. She wanted to hug Ruben too! She dodges through the crowd of people, shoving the odd person aside.

Ruben smiled when he spotted Lenore trying to make her way through the crowd. He excused himself, and made his way towards her.

Everyone watched as Ruben and Lenore reached each other, and Ruben picked her up.

Lenore threw her arms about his neck and kissed his cheek. It was her way of congratulating him on becoming the new American Idol.

“Congrats to you too,” Ruben smiled at her.

Lenore giggled and rested her head upon his shoulder.

Epilogue by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Anything in italics is either a song or what Lenore has written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. Thank-you!
Two months later, Lenore was sitting in A.J. McLean’s living room. She and her three older siblings were there, with the Backstreet Boys, to celebrate the release of her very first single.

“Today is a very special day folks,” Ryan told everyone over the air. “Today is the day that my good buddy, Lenore Parker, releases her very first single.

Lenore leaned closer to the radio, incredibly excited.

“Now, here it is,” Ryan began. “Lenore Parker, with Off To See The World.”

Lenore squealed delighted, as she heard herself sing over the radio. She jumped up, and ran to each and every person in the room, hugging then tight one at a time. She squashed in between A.J. and Brian, and made them both lean down. Once they were only mere inches from her face, and she was sure only they’d hear her speak, she spoke softly.

“Thanks for making my dreams really real,” Lenore whispered. “If it weren’t for you, I don’ts think I’d be okay.”

A.J. and Brian smiled at her and kissed her head.

“Sweetheart, we thank you for remaking our song, and turning it into yours,” A.J. told her.

Lenore blushes, then goes back to listening to her song on the radio. She didn’t know when she’d actually talk again, but was quite happy with writing things down in her notebook – though she would talk to A.J., and occasionally Brian.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7806