Blindsided by Erica
Summary: When Nick gets a new Personal Assistant, he feels like he's getting another babysitter. But Lucky turns his life upside down in ways he doesn't expect. Is she for real, or too good to be true?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 49798 Read: 70459 Published: 05/25/06 Updated: 06/29/07
Chapter 8 by Erica
“I love you more than anything in the world. I would do anything for you. I would die … I would die for you Lucky. If I had to, I would die for you.” Nick said and started to fall asleep. “I love you Lucky.”

“No you don’t Nick. You can’t love me. You don’t love me. Do you?” She asked. When she looked over at him, she saw that he had fallen asleep. He was curled up on his bed and shaking from the constant flow of cool air coming from the air vent directly above his bed. She pulled a blanket over him and watched him breathe.

She allowed his confession to wash over her mind. “He loves me.” She said out loud. She looked at him sleeping and thought to herself, “Do I love him?” She shook her head, claiming that she couldn’t. “How can I love someone who’s been so mean to me?”

Just as she was falling into a trance of thought, her cell phone vibrated in her pocket. She looked at the familiar number and walked into the bathroom, taking the call. “Hey Peterson.”

“Sullivan, it’s been a while since I’ve heard from you. Anything to report?” Peterson’s deep, intimidating voice asked over the earpiece.

“Nothing since the ball. I told you I met him there and he surprised me. We’ve been on a promotional tour for a few days now and I’ve seen him a lot.” Lucky said into her phone, trying to keep her voice low. “I’ll call you if I get any more information.”

“10-4. Please keep me updated. Have a good day Sullivan.” Peterson’s voice said and the phone conversation was quickly ended with a click from the other end. Lucky closed her phone and walked back into Nick’s room in time to hear him calling her name.

“I’m here Nick.” Lucky said as she walked back over to his bed. She sat down next to his head and wiped a piece of random hair out of his face. His eyes were closed, but she knew that he was awake.

“Will you stay with me tonight? Just be in the room with me?” Nick asked, his voice low and hopeful.

“I’ll be right here. I’m just going to sleep on the couch and watch TV, ok?” Lucky said and saw that Nick had already fallen back into a deep sleep. She took up residence on his couch and turned on the TV. She looked at the clock and saw that it read 9:30 p.m. There was nothing on TV at that time, so she got up and grabbed Nick’s room key before walking down to the common room. Seeing that the Boys were all sitting down there, she decided to join them.

“Hey Lucky. We saw Hunter walk out. He seemed pretty pissed. Is everything ok?” Brian asked and everyone turned to Lucky as she grabbed a seat on the couch next to AJ.

“Yeah, I’m fine. He might not be, but I don’t care. I broke up with him.” She said simply and waited for everyone’s reaction.

“You broke up with him?!” AJ asked. “Dude, do you realize what you just did?”

“Yeah, I broke up with an arrogant, self-centered, controlling son of a bitch.” Lucky said and sat back.

“Well, that too. But you also broke up with the Vice President of our record label’s son. I have a feeling that you might not have a job very soon.” AJ said.

“Why not? I don’t work for the label? I work for the management company. And I’m sure Nick would hire me personally if anything happened.” Lucky defended herself.

“Yeah, but Nick might hire you for more, um, personal assistance, if you know what I mean.” AJ joked and elbowed Lucky.

“You ass!” Lucky said and took the pillow she was leaning against and hit AJ in the face with it. “Besides, Nick doesn’t like me like that, we have a professional relationship.”

“Whatever you say Lucky.” Brian scoffed, and all of them laughed.

They hung around the common room for a few more hours and when Lucky looked at her watch and saw that it read 11:58 p.m., she decided that she needed to head to bed. When she announced that she was leaving, the boys decided that she was right and that they had an early wake-up for the next day’s press conference. Lucky went into her room and changed into her pajamas and grabbed another blanket and then walked across the hall to Nick’s room.

When she walked in, she saw that he was still asleep, but the blanket she had covered him with earlier had fallen off. She leaned over him and pulled it back over his shivering body. She kissed his forehead lightly and returned to her spot on the couch. She turned on Nick at Nite and fell asleep to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

*****


The next morning, Nick woke up at 7:00 a.m. to the sound of the phone in his room ringing loudly by his ear. He picked it up and heard the front desk associate giving him his wake up call. The fact that he had an awful headache didn’t help. He thought he remembered seeing Lucky sleeping on his couch when he had woken up earlier that morning to go to the bathroom. However, this morning she was nowhere to be found.

Nick climbed into the shower and allowed the warm water to rush over his body. Throughout his shower, Nick was having flashbacks of the night before. He remembered talking to Lucky for a while and then Hunter showed up. Then he remembered leaving and drinking and Lucky coming over to talk to him and he couldn’t remember anything else he had said or done. He hoped that he hadn’t said anything stupid to Lucky, like telling her that he loved her. That would have been awful to tell her for the first time while he was intoxicated. Whatever, he would cross that bridge when he came to it.

Nick got dressed in an outfit that was laid out for him on his table and wondered how it had gotten there. He brushed his teeth and did his hair. He grabbed his hat and sunglasses and walked out the door. As soon as he walked out the door, he was met with Lucky’s smiling face. He smiled at her and gave her a once over. She was wearing a yellow and pink striped cotton skirt that came down just a little past her knee, a pink tank-top, and pink heels. She had a yellow ribbon tied around her hair and all pearl jewelry. She always seemed to look put together and professional.

She smiled at him awkwardly and said, “Sorry I wasn’t there when you woke up, I had to get ready for today too. I get to introduce you guys today.” Lucky seemed to be a little nervous and flipped her hair over her shoulder.

“You do? You’re going to be great. What’s on tap for today?” Nick asked, a little confused why she would have been in his room when he woke up, but not letting it consume him.

“Well, first you have a press conference with representatives from all of the major newspapers, magazines, and news channels from the state of Texas, then give a small concert to about 50 kids that won a school contest, and then there is a CD signing at the Virgin Records Store downtown. Then it’s time to get on the plane and fly home because the tour will be over.” Lucky said, sounding much like she was also reminding herself of the day ahead of them.

“I can’t wait for this tour to be over. I feel like I’ve been on fast forward since we started a month ago.” Nick said and Lucky just sighed in agreeance. “Hey Lucky, is everything ok?”

“Yeah, it’s fine. Just, last night …” She trailed off as the elevator doors opened and they were whisked away to the grand ballroom of their hotel.

Three hours later, everyone was checked out of the hotel and on their way to Houston High School. Nick and Lucky sat together and Lucky stared out the window.

“Lucky, what’s wrong? You mentioned something about last night. I was pretty messed up last night. I’m really sorry if I said anything that hurt you. I didn’t mean anything that I said last night.” Nick said, hoping that would make everything better for her.

“You didn’t mean anything you said last night?” That almost broke Lucky’s heart because it kept her wondering if Nick meant it when he said that he loved her. “Not even about being mad at me for talking to Hunter?”

“No, I’m not mad. I’m sure you had your reasons for talking to him. Brian told me that you two broke up. I guess that’s a good thing.” Nick said and Lucky just stared at him.

“Right, yeah, we did. I told you that last night too and you were mad at me for talking to him. Glad to know that you’re ok now.” Lucky said.

“Yeah, it’s all good. Sorry if I hurt you or your feelings. By the way, you’re going to be great introducing us today!” Nick said and patted Lucky’s knee in a friendly yet intimate gesture. She smiled at him and just nodded and returned her gaze out the window. They pulled up to the high school and the boys were taken away to the auditorium to do a sound check.

Lucky continued going through her introduction in her mind and when the time finally came, she delivered her lines perfectly. The boys performed with great enthusiasm and they were well received by the kids who had the chance to attend the concert.

The entire time the Boys were performing, Lucky couldn’t take her eyes off of Nick. His confession in the car showed that he was obviously too drunk to remember anything that had happened between them, but did it mean that he really didn’t love her? The idea was kinda growing on her. The night she slept on his couch was a restless night filled with dreams of their future together, and it left her unsettled.

She continued to watch him work and felt her cell phone vibrate in her pocket. She looked down and saw a familiar number flashing on her phone. She smiled and picked it up. “Oh my gosh! Lily! I can’t believe I’m hearing from you! How in the world are you?” Lucky asked as she walked further into the backstage area so that she couldn’t be heard.

“I am wonderful, and how are you Lucky? I hear you’re shacking up with a Backstreet Boy these days. Is it that hunky, tattooed one?” Lucky’s best friend, Lily Bensen, asked over the phone. “God, Lucky! I feel like it’s been forever since we’ve talked. I swear it’s been since you left for New York!”

“I know, and I’m so sorry about that! I’ve missed you soo much!” Lucky said, thankful for the conversation from home. “So yeah, I’m doing PR work for Nick Carter. Can you believe it?”

“You are one lucky girl Lucky Sullivan! So, how is the man? As gorgeous in person as he is on paper?” Lily prodded.

“Liliana Bensen! I am NOT thinking about breeching a professional relationship with my client! Besides, there’s way too much other stuff going on, if you know what I mean.” Lucky said cryptically.

“Yeah, I know. It sucks though. You need a personal life too. And I think you’re lying to yourself. I think you like this boy …” Lily said, deliberately trialing off, allowing Lucky to answer her.

“I just don’t know. I don’t know if I’m what he’s looking for, you know? Oh gosh Lil, I gotta run! The Boys just got off stage and Nick and I need to head to the airport! I’ll call you at some point.” Lucky said and hung up the phone before giving her friend a chance to respond.

Nick ran backstage and found Lucky just getting off of her phone call. He flashed her his signature smile and motioned that it was time for them to go. She nodded and walked with him out to their awaiting car. The group said quick goodbyes since they were all going in separate directions and Nick and Lucky were left alone in the car.

Lucky looked at Nick and gave him a tired smile. She patted his hand and said, “Job well done,” before drifting off into a light sleep. She woke up to Nick gently shaking her and telling her that they were at the airport. She felt refreshed and ready to face the plane trip back to New York.

Once they were seated in their First Class seats, Lucky and Nick adjusted and quickly became comfortable. Once the pilot announced that the flight was ready for take-off, Lucky noticed Nick grab onto the arm rests and hold on for dear life. “God, I wish I had some alcohol right now.” Nick said.

Just before he made that comment, Lucky was this close to grabbing his hand and comforting him, but something instantly changed her sympathy towards him into anger. “Damnit Nick! I hate it when you get like this! You have an obstacle in front of you and the first thing you do is run for the bottle. Life isn’t solved by taking another drink. Hell, it’s not even solved by LOOKING at another drink. Why in God’s name do you feel it necessary to drink when you get scared?” Lucky demanded to know. She watched as his knuckles turned paler, along with his face and she wasn’t sure if it was because she had thrown the accusation in his face or from his fear of flying.

Lucky turned in her seat to see the sun setting over the city of Houston. She was so infuriated by Nick’s comment that she couldn’t even look at him. She sat on the plane for an hour and half looking out the window, watching the roads and the cars and the people getting smaller as they flew over state after state.

When Nick nervously said her name, Lucky didn’t bother to turn and face him, but just said, “Go ahead.”

“Did something else happen last night? Something you didn’t tell me about?” Nick asked and Lucky’s peripheral vision caught Nick loosening his death grip on the arm rests.

“Nothing happened that you’d want to know about Nick. Nothing important, or else I’m sure you would have remembered it on your own. Just don’t always expect me to be there when you fall apart. I can’t handle watching you kill yourself and drown yourself in alcohol.” Lucky said, the heartfelt speech tearing her apart.

“I understand. Lucky, please look at me.” Nick said and grabbed her chin with his hand and pulled her face so that she was looking at him straight in the eyes. “I really appreciate everything you’ve done for me. You’ve been such a ray of sunshine in my life. I know that sounds corny, but I mean it.”

Lucky smiled at him weakly and said, “Actions speak louder than words Nick.” She turned yet again so that she was looking out the window.

Nick stared at her, feeling defeated and tried to think of something, anything that would convince her that he truly needed her in his life. He did however, gather up the courage to look out the window. What he saw changed his life. Looking out over the Hudson river and seeing the Manhattan skyline at night was absolutely breath-taking. For that moment, Nick felt as if it was only special enough for him and Lucky.

“Lucky, that’s beautiful.” Nick said, not believing in his own voice.

“Are you looking out the window?” Lucky asked, sounding a bit surprised. She turned half-way to see Nick staring out at the sight before them and smiling a true smile. “You are! Oh wow Nick, this is a big step. I’ve always loved pictures of this scene, but the real thing, it’s just amazing.”

“Not as amazing as you are Lucky. And I mean that. Let’s experience this skyline together in person. Friday night, can you and I please do something together? I’d even like to call it a … a … date.” Nick said, nervously meeting Lucky’s eyes.

“Did you really just ask me out on a date?” Lucky asked, wide-eyed. “I thought you’d never ask.” She smiled at him and moved a piece of hair out of his eyes.

The landing was smooth and their bags were delivered to Nick’s penthouse. The drive back to his building was quiet, but full of romantic tension. “Nick, why do we have to wait until Friday?” Lucky asked.

“Because tomorrow is too soon for me to put anything worthwhile together, and Friday night is the perfect first date night.” Nick answered and took Lucky’s hand in his. “I promise you, it will be perfect.” He smiled at her, and allowed his hand to linger over hers for just a few seconds longer than normal. She smiled back and then turned her attention out the window, just in time to see the entrance to their building.

They boarded the elevator together and went their separate ways once inside the apartment. Lucky was just about to crawl into her comfortable bed when she heard a knock at the door. She knew it was Nick and smiled to herself.

When she answered the door she said, “Fancy seeing you in this neck of the woods. What can I do for you?”

“This.” Nick said and planted a light kiss on her lips. The feeling was so right and perfect for the moment and Lucky welcomed the familiar taste of Nick’s lips. “Thank you. Just for being wonderful. I’ll see you in the morning.” With that, he walked away and left Lucky completely speechless.

*****


Lucky woke up with an extra spring in her step the next morning and went straight to the kitchen to make breakfast. When she went to check on Nick, she saw that his bed was empty and so was his room. As she was walking back to the kitchen, she noticed a note on the living room table with her name on it.

Inside, Nick told her that he had gone out to run a few errands in the morning and not to worry about him, but that he would return around 5:00. She smiled, knowing that she had the whole day to figure out what she was going to wear for their date tomorrow night. After making herself breakfast, she decided that she really needed to clean her room. Making her bad, doing laundry, and dusting after a month of being away kept her busy until her phone rang around 3:00.

She was expecting the phone call to be from Nick, but when she saw Peterson’s name flashing, she furrowed her brow in confusion.

“Hey Peterson, what’s up? I have nothing new.” Lucky reported and listened to her boss on the other end.

“Listen Lucky, I hate to do this, but I really have to pull you away from New York for a little while. I need you to return to Chicago as soon as possible and begin working on something else for me.” Peterson’s intimidating voice practically commanded her next steps.

“Are you sure sir? Can’t Lily take care of that?” Lucky asked, hoping that she could really get someone to take over for her.

“No Sullivan, I need you here ASAP. I’ve already booked you a flight back. It’s at 5:30 sharp. This is not negotiable.” Peterson said and hung up before Lucky had the chance to rebut.

Lucky looked around her newly cleaned room and a single tear fell down her cheek. She began packing all of her clothes into duffle bags and figured that if she really needed anything, she could buy it once back in Chicago. She hoped that she would only be there for a short period of time, and that Nick would understand.

Just as she was about to leave, she turned back and thought of Nick. She looked at the windows and the memory of her arrival was at the front of her mind. She smiled at the thought that Nick had finally started opening the curtains on his own, without her prodding. And then frowned, knowing that once she was gone, they’d be closed again.

Finishing the note she was writing, she kissed it and folded it in half, leaving it in the same place she had found her note from Nick just hours earlier. Looking back one more time, she closed the doors and walked to the elevator, unsure of when she would return.

Just 30 minutes later, Nick walked in the door. He called out Lucky’s name a few times and when she didn’t answer, he grew a little worried. He first checked his room, wishfully thinking that maybe she’d be in there waiting for him. When she wasn’t there, he automatically checked her room, to find it still in tact, but eerily changed.

As he stood in the kitchen, thinking of where she could be, he spotted her note. He walked over to it and smiled, hope in his mind and heart. However, that hope faded once he opened it up and saw her handwriting.

Nick,
I really hate to do this, especially with our relationship changing as it is. I got a phone call from my mom today telling me that my father has lost his job. I have decided that it is in the best interest of my family to return home and help them until they get themselves back on their feet.

I am so sorry to have to cancel our date for tomorrow night. I just want you to know that I was really looking forward to it. I hope that you can understand these sudden circumstances I’ve been dealt and forgive me.

I’m not sure when I’ll be back in New York, but I will be, I promise. I really want to keep in touch, so please call me and I’ll do the same. I miss you already.

Sincerely, Lucky


He took an envelope from his pocket and threw it on the table. He stared blankly at the Broadway tickets he had just spent most of the morning trying to acquire and thought to himself, “History has a way of repeating itself.”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7832