Blindsided by Erica
Summary: When Nick gets a new Personal Assistant, he feels like he's getting another babysitter. But Lucky turns his life upside down in ways he doesn't expect. Is she for real, or too good to be true?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 17 Completed: No Word count: 49798 Read: 70217 Published: 05/25/06 Updated: 06/29/07

1. Prologue by Erica

2. Chapter 1 by Erica

3. Chapter 2 by Erica

4. Chapter 3 by Erica

5. Chapter 4 by Erica

6. Chapter 5 by Erica

7. Chapter 6 by Erica

8. Chapter 7 by Erica

9. Chapter 8 by Erica

10. Chapter 9 by Erica

11. Chapter 10 by Erica

12. Chapter 11 by Erica

13. Chapter 12 by Erica

14. Chapter 13 by Erica

15. Chapter 14 by Erica

16. Chapter 15 by Erica

17. Chapter 16 by Erica

Prologue by Erica
A 13-year-old Nick Carter stood with one foot bent on his locker and his back pressed against it. In one hand he had his backpack strap in a firm grip and in the other a note for Renée St .James. He stared at the note in hand and then glanced up to see her walking towards him with her entire posse following her.

“Oh great.” He thought to himself as she breezed past him to her locker. He thought that he was going to finally get her alone to give her the note. “Why do girls always HAVE to travel in packs anyways?” He muttered under his breath.

Nick gathered some confidence and began walking towards her locker trying to look cool, calm, and collected. “Renée, hi. I’m Nick. Nick Carter. I, um, sit behind you in History class and I just wanted to give you this.” He handed her the note and walked away, running a hand through his hair.

He heard giggles in the background and didn’t want to turn around. He knew it was Renée’s friends, but he had accomplished his mission: inside that note was Nick’s heart. He had finally asked her to the upcoming school dance. Now all she had to do was say yes. Well, that would happen in a perfect world.

The next day, Nick walked into his history class without making eye contact with anybody. He was trying to keep the humiliation to a bare minimum. He took his seat behind Renée. She hadn’t even acknowledged him. He slumped down defeated in his chair. He knew today wouldn’t be any different.

It was the middle of class and Nick was taking notes. He looked up to take more notes off the board when he saw a folded piece of paper on his desk. He made sure no one was looking and he quickly snatched it up. He unfolded it silently and quickly glanced down.

It was from Renée. She was accepting his proposal to go to the dance with him. He was ecstatic that she had said yes. He wanted to jump up from his seat and dance around the room. He knew the teacher wouldn’t like that, so he stayed where he was.

He had to sit in silent excitement for the rest of the period and as soon as the bell rang, he grabbed his books and followed Renée to her locker. For once, she was by herself. “Hi Renée, I just wanted to tell you that I’m really excited for the dance on Saturday. Thanks for saying yes. Do you want me to pick you up or just meet you at the dance?” He asked excitedly.

“Um, how about we meet outside of the gym at 7:00? Does that sound good to you?” She asked him nonchalantly.

“That sounds great. See you Saturday night at 7:00. I mean, I’ll probably see you in class before then since tomorrow is only Wednesday. But I’m sure you knew what I meant. Bye!” Nick rambled nervously before deciding that he needed to get to his next class before getting in trouble for being late.

Wednesday and Thursday flew by quickly, but Renée didn’t acknowledge Nick at all and he found that odd. He figured that it was just because she was busy and had a lot on her mind. Then Friday came and she wasn’t in school. Nick wondered to himself why, but then figured it was a girl thing, getting ready for the dance and everything.

At 6:00 Saturday night, Nick got dressed in his best slacks, a button down shirt and jacket, and rolled up the sleeves together. He had on his brand new white high-tops and his dad loosely tied a tie around his neck. He slicked his hair back and sprayed on some cologne. He got to the dance at 6:45, knowing that he had some time before Renée was supposed to show up, so he leaned lazily against a metal banister leading to the filling gymnasium.

Nick checked his watch every two minutes and at 7:00, he stood up straight, expecting Renée at any minute. He watched as car after car pulled up and other people piled out of them, but never Renée. When the clock rolled around to 8:30, he went to the nearest pay phone and called his mom to come pick him up.

Once his mom arrived, he climbed into the front seat and hung his head. “I don’t wanna talk about it, ok mom?” They drove in silence all the way home.

Monday finally rolled around and Nick was going to confront Renée about why she stood him up at the dance. However, he didn’t see her all day and she wasn’t in her desk in History class. He slumped down and Renée’s friends walked in giggling and looking at him. He opened his book and pretended to ignore them.

“Hey Nick! You know Renée moved, right? That’s why she stood you up at the dance!” Melinda Johnson exclaimed in front of the entire class.

“Oh, that’s right! I heard that Carter got stood up. She didn’t like you anyways! She just felt bad because you’re such a GEEK!” Mikey Roberts yelled at him too.

“Yeah!” The entire class echoed. Then, the teacher walked in and Nick was on the verge of tears.

“Mr. Carter, is everything alright?” Mrs. Ferguson asked politely. Instead of answering, Nick ran out of the classroom wiping his eyes and sniffling.

He made it to his locker and leaned his head against the metal. He felt a single tear drop down his face and felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to see his teacher with a concerned look on her face. She escorted him to the office and Nick called his mom to pick him up.

When his mom came, he didn’t speak or look at her. Nick got into the car and brooded. He stared out the window and finally said, “I hate girls mom. I don’t ever want to like another one. I’m never going to like another girl ever.”

“Well, Nicky. I hope that’s not true. You’re too handsome to not like girls.” She said and she reached over and ruffled his hair. “I talked to the office and they said Renée moved. She could have told you. It’s her loss.”

“You’re just saying that because you’re my mom!” Nick exclaimed and looked out the window.

“No, I’m not. But anyways, I got some good news today. You know that group you auditioned for a couple of weeks ago?” His mom asked him.

“Yeah…” Nick said slowly.

“Well, they called and they want you in Orlando as soon as possible. What do you say? We put this all behind us and move forward to fame?” Jane suggested and saw her son nodding eagerly. “Well, then we start packing tonight!”
Chapter 1 by Erica
“Ok, Nick. Ready? I’m going to count you in and you start your part on 3, ok?” Johnny Wright said through the glass to the now 25 year old Nick Carter, Backstreet Boy. Nick nodded and listened to the music in his headphones. He watched as Johnny gave him one finger, two, and finally three.

This is for the strangers
Sleeping in my heart
Take what they want
And leave while it's still dark

This is a song for the unloved
This is a music for one last cry
This is a prayer that tomorrow will help me leave the past behind
It's a song for the unloved (the unloved)

This is for the widows
Who think there's only one
The dying fathers that never told their sons
This is a song for the unloved
This is a music for one last cry
This is a prayer that tomorrow will help me leave the past behind
It's a song for the unloved (the unloved)

Ohh
Tomorrow the sun will shine
And dry the tears in your eyes


“How did that sound Johnny?” Nick asked as he took off the headphones and walked through the door to the soundboard.

“It was good. Actually, it was great. I don’t think we need to go over it again.” Johnny complimented.

Just as Nick was about to leave, a tall red head walked into the room. “Oh Nick. I want you to meet Lucky Sullivan. Your new Personal Assistant. She’s been assigned to help you organize your life.”

“What does that mean?” Nick asked, looking at Lucky uncertainly.

“Well, it means that I’ll handle your scheduling and make sure that you are on time to events.” Lucky said and extended her hand towards Nick. Her crystal green eyes flashed hopefully as she said, “I’m really looking forward to working with you Mr. Carter.”

“Call me Nick. Johnny, I don’t need a PA.” Nick said adamantly.

“Yes you do Nick. You know how you are with certain things. She’s just one more person keeping you on track. No big deal.” Johnny said nonchalantly as he replayed Nick’s part for the song.

“That sounds great Mr. Carter, I mean, Nick.” Lucky said and brushed her medium length wavy hair off her shoulders. “Again, I’m really looking forward to working with you.”

“Whatever. Where are you staying? How often do I see you? Do we work together 24/7?” Nick asked as he gathered his jacket and waved goodbye to Johnny with Lucky close on his heal.

“Well, Johnny said that I’m supposed to find somewhere to stay as soon as possible. Right now I’m at the Embassy Suites a few blocks away. Um, we’re supposed to work closely, but not every day and I suppose that I can just call you most of the time. I’ll need your phone number however. But I think we need to have weekly face-to-face meetings. And I’m supposed to go on tour with you and whenever you do publicity. I mean, that is my job after all.” Lucky rambled nervously.

“Well, I have an entire penthouse to myself on the Upper East Side. No one stays in the right wing. That can be yours until you find a place of your own just as long as I don’t see you all the time and make it like we’re living together. Anyways, just let me know what you want and we can figure it out. Here’s my cell number.” Nick said and handed Lucky a piece of paper. “How long is your reservation at the Embassy? I can help you move out now and move you in to my place.”

“I have a couple of days, but I can check out early. It’s not a problem.” Lucky suggested, hoping that Nick would be receptive to it.

“Whatever you think is best. Let’s just head over there.” Nick said and got in his car. “Do you want to just ride with me or do you want me to follow you?”

“Well, you might as well follow me. In case you have somewhere else to go after helping me.” Lucky suggested and unlocked her rental car.

“The only place I have to go is home to relax. But let’s make this quick, ok?” Nick suggested as he closed his door and rolled down the windows. “Listen, I’ll follow you and when we get there, we’ll make it as quick as possible.” He backed out of his space and left room for Lucky to do the same. She took off for her hotel and Nick followed in close pursuit.

Once they reached the Embassy Suites, Lucky and Nick got on the elevator and stood in a thick silence. Lucky chanced a glance at Nick and saw him looking up at the ceiling with his eyes closed. She studied his face and saw the confusion in his crinkled brow. “Nick, is everything ok?”

“No. I don’t need a Personal Assistant. Just another babysitter. I’m 25 years old for crying out loud and my management team still thinks I’m an irresponsible teenager.” Nick said and looked down at Lucky.

“Well, I’ll try to do my best to not treat you like a kid. I’m just here to remind you when you have things to do.” Lucky said in an attempt to ease his mind.

“Whatever.” He said and the elevator doors opened. They walked down the hall to Lucky’s room and she opened the door. She quickly gathered all of her belongings and they were back on the elevator with the same thick silence as before.

“What do you have to do with car?” Nick asked as they stepped into the lobby.

“What do you mean?” Lucky asked, surprised that Nick was initiating conversation.

“Well, it’s a rental right? You can’t keep it forever. When does it go back?” Nick asked again.

“I got it here, at the hotel, so I think I can turn it back in to them.” Lucky said and went to the front desk to check out of her room and return her car. “That was easy enough. Thank you again Nick for taking me in.”

“Not a problem. Like I said, just stay to yourself and there won’t be any problems.” Nick said grouchily as he picked up her suitcases and walked out to his new Durango. He opened up the trunk and threw her bags in and walked to his side of the car. Lucky climbed in and was again met with tension.

“I’ll do my best to stay out of your way.” Lucky said and looked out the window as Nick drove off to his apartment.

Once they got there, Nick and Lucky hurried up to his penthouse and he unlocked the door. When Lucky entered, she saw a spectacular apartment with a layout to die for. She walked straight into an entryway foyer where there was a small fountain and continued down a marble hallway. At the end of the hallway was a large living room. There were three plush couches and floor to ceiling windows, covered by curtains. The whole apartment was only lit by a few lights in the kitchen. “How awful,” Lucky thought to herself as she continued to take in what would be her new home for a little bit.

“Here’s the kitchen.” Nick said as he started walking by briskly. “Every appliance you could ever imagine, but never use is there. And over here is the game room. There’s a pool table that I use when the guys are over.”

“Oh, do the other Backstreet Boys come over a lot?” Lucky asked innocently.

“Well, when we’re all in New York yeah. Other than that, not really.” Nick took a turn down a hallway on his right and walked her to her room. “This is where you’ll be staying. I’d really like it if you wouldn’t do too much decorating to it because sometimes the guys sleep in there. There are a few guest bedrooms farther down the hall. When the guys come, that’s where you’ll go.”

“Ok, that’s … fine.” Lucky said and walked into the biggest bedroom she had ever seen. There was a King-sized bed with down pillows and comforters. There was a plasma TV on the wall in front of the bed and her favorite part of the room was a window seat that looked over the city. Her closet was about the size of her room at home. There was a glass door that connected the bathroom to the bedroom. Again, the bathroom was a spectacle to be seen.

“This is wonderful and extremely appreciated.” Lucky said as she turned around to find that Nick was gone. She looked around at the room and began unpacking her clothes. She made a note to ask Nick the address for the building so that she could have her stuff shipped here.

After she finished unpacking what clothes she had, she walked around her side of the apartment. She did her best not to venture to Nick’s side so that he didn’t feel as though she was trying to be overbearing. The first thing she did was walk into the kitchen and look at all of the appliances. Her home in Houston didn’t have nearly this much space and she never had the chance to use all of these appliances at once. When Lucky opened the refrigerator, she was shocked at what she saw. Well, at what she didn’t see. The entire fridge was empty.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Lucky jumped as Nick came out of nowhere.

“Well, I’m looking in the fridge because as much as you hate the fact that I’ll be staying her for a little bit, you’re the one that offered. And besides, I’m going to have to eat and if there’s nothing in the fridge to eat, then what do you expect me to do? Starve?” Lucky shot back, getting a little annoyed with his act.

“Well, I usually order out. Does that bother you?” Nick asked her as he took a seat at one of the barstools facing the kitchen.

“No, it’s just not very healthy. Don’t worry, I’m not a health nut, I am just not a fan of take-out every day of the week. But whatever you want is fine.” Lucky said as he closed the fridge and began walking back to her room.

“Where are you going?” Nick called after her.

“You told me to make it like we’re not living together, so I’m going to my room so that you don’t have to see me.” She retorted. “If you could be so kind, can you please leave your address written down for me somewhere so that I can have my stuff shipped here? I’ll start apartment hunting tomorrow.” Lucky said and she disappeared around the corner and left Nick dumbfounded in the kitchen.
Chapter 2 by Erica
The next day, Lucky got up, took a quick shower and dressed herself in a black tank-top, a jean miniskirt and gold flip-flops. She grabbed her oversized gold purse and walked out of Nick’s apartment. She soon reached the lobby and stepped into the warm June weather. She took in a deep breath as she pulled her sunglasses over her eyes. Looking up and down Park Avenue, Lucky pulled out her cell phone.

“Hi Peterson. I need my things to be shipped to …” She rattled off Nick’s address to the person she was talking to and quickly hung up the phone. “First things first,” she thought to her self as she walked across the street to a bagel shop. She waited patiently in line and finally ordered a plain bagel, toasted with cream cheese, and a coffee to go.

After receiving her food, she hailed a taxi and gave him directions to an office downtown. Once she arrived, she threw out her breakfast trash she walked inside Johnny Wright’s management company.

“Hello, my name is Lucky Sullivan and I am here to meet with Johnny Wright.” Lucky said politely to the receptionist.

“Do you have an appointment Ms. Sullivan?” The receptionist, whose name tag said “Julie”, asked.

“Yes I do. I’m a little early, but no harm in trying, right?” Lucky replied with a smile.

“Not at all. Have a seat and I’ll call Mr. Wright. I’ll let him know that you’re here.” Julie said and picked up the phone to call Johnny. “Ms. Sullivan, he will see you now. Just take the elevator up to the 9th floor and his office is the 6th door on the left.”

“Thank you Julie. Have a great day!” Lucky said. She followed the directions Julie gave her and soon arrived in Johnny’s office. It was beautifully decorated with album plaques and awards his various clients had received.

“Good morning Lucky. How are you today?” Johnny asked as he stood and shook her hand when she entered his office.

“To be honest, I’m a little annoyed. Nick is a total grouch and he’s treating me like I’m the scum of the Earth. I understand that he’s upset because his management team feels he needs another babysitter, but honestly, that’s not my fault and he shouldn’t be taking it out on me.” Lucky explained as she sat back in the oversized, plush chair.

“Nick has ALWAYS responded that way to his new staff. I’ve noticed however that it’s stronger towards the new females. I don’t know why, however it’s always happened. My suggestion is to keep on doing what you’re doing and give him his own treatment back.” Johnny suggested smugly.

“I think I can do that. I know that this meeting has been quick, but really I just wanted to meet with you so that I can find out what my limitations are for spending when purchasing my new apartment.” Lucky said bluntly.

“Well actually, you won’t need a budget because you’ll be staying with Nick.” Johnny replied. “I don’t see a reason that you two can’t cohabitate in that huge penthouse he has there. Do what you need to do to make it feel like home for you Lucky and just remember, he’s the one that suggested it. And if he asks how the search is going, tell him that you’re doing your best to find something in your price range, but it’s not going well. He’s just going to have to accept that fact.” Johnny said flatly and Lucky stared at him with wide eyes.

“Mr. Wright, you don’t happen to have any alternate plans for myself and Nick, do you?” Lucky asked with a grin accenting her lips.

“None at all.” He replied with the same expression.

“Johnny, please don’t go getting any fancy ideas. I’m not here to find a love connection with Nick. I just got out of a relationship and I’m really here to just work. Nothing more.” Lucky pleaded with Johnny and shifted her weight in the chair she was sitting.

“Ok, I’ll do my best to stay out of things. But I can’t be to blame if you do fall in love with the big, blonde ogre. For some reason the girls love him. Maybe it’s those eyes, huh?” Johnny suggested.

“He has nice eyes, I’ll give you that, except when he’s being mean. Then they turn a light shade of gray.” Lucky commented and caught herself before continuing. “Well Johnny, if you can call me with the names and numbers of Nick’s other staff, I’d really appreciate it. Also, if you have any kind of a schedule for him this week, I’d like to start with him as soon as possible.”

As Lucky got up from the chair, Johnny wrote himself a note regarding Lucky’s request. “Good luck, Lucky!” Lucky turned to Johnny and waved as she left his office, in order to complete her next mission: grocery shopping.

She walked outside and the sun hit her face. She closed her eyes and allowed her skin to soak up the rays. “What are you doing here?” She heard a voice ask her, interrupting her calm moment.

“Nick, get over it. I work for you and Johnny now. You’re going to run into me periodically.” Lucky said and continued down the street.

“That’s not what I meant!” Nick called after her, but she just put her hand up to silence him and continued walking.

Lucky found a cab quickly and gave the driver the address of a small market around the corner from the apartment she shared with Nick. She knew that they would deliver her groceries for her if there were too many. Once there, she paid the cabbie and walked around inside. She found that it had just about everything she needed: breakfast foods, milk, water, meat, cooking supplies, etc.

Lucky stocked up and gave the guy her building address after paying. She told him that she would meet him in the lobby and take care of her groceries from there. He nodded and began boxing up her purchases.

She walked the rest of the way back to the apartment and once upstairs, and saw again that the curtains were drawn over the windows. She marched over to them and pulled them back, allowing the sun to flow in freely. She smiled as she felt the warmth wash over her skin again. She heard the buzzer go off and she knew that her groceries had arrived. She returned downstairs to gather them and climbed the elevator back to unload the new food.

After she was upstairs, Lucky put the boxes on the kitchen counter and went to her room. She changed into a pair of cut-off jean shorts, a t-shirt and no shoes. She found her iPod in her bed-stand drawer and plugged the headphones into her ears. She hooked the headphones into her ears and started playing the new Carrie Underwood music she had. She found that having the music made her put the groceries away quicker and then she found that she had nothing to do.

She looked around the open space and saw a big screen TV, but then looked at the clock and couldn’t think of anything good on at 1:00 in the afternoon. So she went into her room and grabbed a romance novel, her day planner, and her cell phone. She checked her messages and heard Johnny giving her the names and numbers of Nick’s PR person, his accountant, and the rest of the management team. She wrote them down and listened further as Johnny rattled off Nick’s skeleton schedule for the rest of the week.

“What are you doing here?” Nick’s voice made Lucky jump from her concentration in his schedule.

“Not that question again! I’m working.” Lucky said and shrugged him off.

“Well, if it has to do with me, then I have a right to know. But what I meant was, what is everything else? I mean, there are bananas in a bowl on my counter. Are they real?” Nick asked as he moved around the side of his counter and poked at the banana peels. “And why are the curtains open? That’s what light bulbs and expensive fixtures are for.”

“Are you kidding me? I can’t believe you just said that. Are you going to question EVERYTHING I say or do? Because if so, I’ll go back to the Embassy Suites.” Lucky retorted and returned to her calendar.

“I’m not going to question everything, just the things that change how I’ve been living for the past 4 months. Anyways, what are you working on?” Nick asked, sounding intrigued.

“Well, actually … if you’re going to be nice to me for longer than 3 seconds, I’d love to talk to you about some plans. I called your accountant and he said that he hasn’t spoken with you in the past 6 months. Nick, you really need to keep him on the same page as you with your financials. So, I’ve scheduled you an appointment with him for Thursday.” Lucky said and looked at Nick.

“I forgot about my accountant.” Nick said sheepishly. “Well, not really forgot about him, but just didn’t realize how long it’s been since I had talked to him. Thank you.”

“Um, you’re welcome. It’s not really a big deal, it is my job after all.” Lucky said realizing that Nick sounded very surprised.

“What else do you have lined up this week?” Nick asked, leaning over the table where Lucky had put her calendar. “Oh, I have a radio interview on Wednesday, that’s tomorrow. And a photo shoot with the guys in LA? Wow. Will you be going with me on that?”

“Wow, for someone who didn’t want another babysitter, you sure have changed quickly.” Lucky chided. “Of course I’ll be there. Nick, I hate to break it to you, but this is more of a 24-hour job that you’d like it be.”

Nick looked at her with sudden interest and smiled. “I’m sorry about being such a jerk earlier. I really appreciate everything you’ve done so far. None of my PA’s have ever gone grocery shopping for me before.”

“Nick, I didn’t go grocery shopping for just you, I went for me too. I don’t want to starve.” Lucky replied and gathered her planner and cell phone. She returned them to her room and when she came back, she saw Nick looking at her romance novel.

“What is this crap?” Nick asked as he held up a copy of Carly Phillip’s The Bachelor.

“It’s a romance novel. Wait. Am I allowed to read those in your apartment?” Lucky asked sarcastically.

“Yeah, but don’t go getting any kind of funny ideas!” Nick said and stormed off to his room for the rest of the afternoon.
Chapter 3 by Erica
Lucky woke up early the next morning. She looked at the clock before climbing out of bed to head to the bathroom. She knew that Nick wasn’t awake yet due to the fact that he still had 3 hours before his radio interview. Lucky headed into the kitchen. She walked around until she had everything out that she needed to make pancakes. She made the pancakes she was going to eat and then stood over the stove debating whether or not she should make some for Nick. She decided that she would cook him some, if for no other reason than to keep the peace.

Lucky finished eating, but Nick still wasn’t awake. Oh well, she didn’t think that there was a clause in her contract that said “be an alarm clock to Nick Carter.” She cleaned up her plate and put Nick’s pancakes on top of his microwave.

She walked back to her room and grabbed her romance novel. She curled up on the couch with her book. She loved the direction her book was heading and completely lost herself in it. She read a couple chapters before she put her book down and looked at the clock. She realized that Nick’s interview was in less than an hour, and she hadn’t seen him yet. Lucky folded her page over and left her book on the couch.

She made her way to Nick’s bedroom and knocked but got no response. She opened the door quietly and found that Nick was still fast asleep. She didn’t know what to do. Either she wakes him up and he’ll get mad at her for disturbing him, or not wake him up and he’ll get mad at her for being late for his interview.

Lucky quietly closed the door. She decided to let him sleep. She once again returned to her room and rummaged through her things until she found the number for the radio station. She dialed the number and waited for someone to pick up. “Hi, I’m Lucky Sullivan. I’m Nick Carter’s personal assistant. Mr. Carter is supposed to be at your station for an interview today. He’s sick so he won’t be able to come in…Of course we can reschedule the interview…Thank you.” Lucky hung up the phone and returned to her book on the couch.

A couple hours later, Nick woke up and looked at the clock. He realized he had completely missed his radio interview. He quickly got dressed and went in search of Lucky. He spotted her reading her book. “How could you let me miss my interview?”

“I didn’t want to wake you.” She responded, not looking up from her book.

“You should have. You now ruined my credibility.” Nick said as he rubbed a hand through his hair.

“Will you relax Nick? I called the radio station and cancelled.” She looked up at him to see that he was frantically pacing around the kitchen.

“You WHAT?” He practically screeched at her. He threw his hands up in the air and continued to pace.

“I told them you were sick and rescheduled. Besides, it’s not in my job to wake you up. That’s what alarm clocks are for.” Lucky explained and returned to her book.

“Whatever.” He stormed back to his room, slamming the door behind him.

Lucky returned her attention to her romance novel and about 20 minutes later, she heard as Nick stumbled into the kitchen and heated the pancakes sitting on top of the microwave. He kept making exaggerated movements and noises, hoping that Lucky would look up at him. She continued to be glued to her book.

As the timer on the microwave went off, Lucky still read and Nick looked at her confused. He sat down across from her and continued to stare at her as she read and he took bites of his food.

“These pancakes are really good. Even after being reheated in the microwave. I haven’t had home made pancakes in a LONG time.” Nick said, hoping that would prompt Lucky out of her reading hypnotism.

When it didn’t Nick just rolled his eyes and sat back in the couch and ate his pancakes. Then he thought of something. She would HAVE to talk to him if he asked her a question about work.

“So Lucky, what does my day look like tomorrow?” Nick asked and a frustrated Lucky slammed her book shut and threw it on the coffee table in between them.

“Nick, what is your problem? Do you have a bipolar diagnosis? I really hope so because that would REALLY explain how you’ve been acting towards me.” Lucky said and adjusted her feet.

Nick opened his mouth to retaliate, however nothing logical could come out of his mouth. He was stunned that Lucky had actually accused him of having a neurological disorder. “Whatever Lucky.” Nick said and walked out, retreating back to his room.

Lucky rolled her eyes and got up off of the couch. Nick really did need to know what his schedule was going to be like for the day trip to LA tomorrow. She took a chance and walked down the hallway to his room. She knocked on his door and for the second time that day, received no answer. Daringly, she opened the door and saw him lying on his bed with the TV remote in his hand.

He looked up and rolled his eyes. “What do you want?”

“Well, I came to apologize and I also came to tell you your schedule for tomorrow. I figured you’d like to know since it’s a very busy day. If you still want me to give you the details, I’ll go get the itinerary I’ve written out for it.” Lucky suggested, keeping her hand on the doorknob for comfort.

“Just do your job.” Nick said and kept his eyes glued to the TV. Lucky nodded and left briefly to get the printed up schedule she made the day before.

When she re-entered, she took a deep breath and opened the door to find Nick in the exact same position. “Ok, are you ready?”

“Well, you’re going to be with me right? So if I forget or something, you’ll be there to remind me, I’m sure.” Nick said sarcastically.

“You’re right. I’ll be there, but since as you so nicely outlined for me the other day that you DON’T need another babysitter, I figured I’d let you know what was going on so that you can at least pretend to be a responsible adult.” Lucky retorted and started reading from the paper.

“You have a 4:00 a.m. wake-up. You might want to set your alarm for that. The flight for LA leaves at 7:30 and we have to allow time for travel and any check-in problems that may occur. We will arrive in LA around 7:30 a.m. their time and you’ll be taken directly to the photo shoot site. Around 8:15 you’ll be in hair and make-up and from 9:00 until 4:00 you’ll be having your pictures taken and being interviewed.” Lucky began talking.

“Um, I’m sorry to interrupt, but what is the photo shoot for?” Nick asked, finally acknowledging Lucky’s presence in the room.

“Rolling Stone Magazine. At 4:30, we’ll need to return to the airport for a departing flight at 6:00. We’ll get back into New York at midnight.” Lucky finished up. “Any questions?”

“No ma’am.” Nick said and gave her a salute. “Well, actually, I have one. Is this a serious or silly photo shoot?”

“From the e-mail I got from Shannon, your PR person, she said that it’s going to be a silly cover shoot and serious article shots.” Lucky said and began to turn around to leave.

“Um, Lucky. I’m sorry for the way I acted earlier. I was just wondering if you’d like to have dinner since it’s 5:00 and I know that I’m going to have to go to sleep if I actually have to wake up at 4:00 a.m.” Nick said and looked at her from his spot on his bed.

“That sounds good. What do you want to do?” Lucky asked.

Nick got up from his bed and walked over to her. “How about take-out?” She glared at him and followed him out the door while he picked up the phone and ordered Chinese food.

*****


The 4:00 wake up was WAY too early for any functioning person. Except for Lucky. When Nick’s alarm clock went off, he heard Lucky moving around in the kitchen, probably making something for breakfast again. He got up and took a quick shower. He threw on some jeans and a t-shirt. He slipped his feet into a pair of Rainbow flip-flops and put his wallet in his back pocket. He grabbed a hat for the airport and his sunglasses.

Sure enough, he walked out and saw Lucky dressed in ripped jeans, a blue light-knit sweater and blue flip flops. Her fiery red hair was down in loose curls and her make-up was done to bring out her green eyes. She looked like she had been awake for hours. “Good morning!” She said as he slid the eggs she’d been cooking into two Styrofoam containers and handed him a mug with orange juice in it. She also grabbed two forks out of the drawer in front of her. “I figured we’d eat breakfast on the way to the airport.”

“That’s a good idea. Is the car here?” Nick asked and accepted the box from Lucky.

“I believe so.” She said and they both descended the elevator to the lobby.

There was still a small feeling of uncomfortable silence between them, but Lucky attributed that to the fact that it was only 4:15 in the morning. Once they arrived in the lobby, they saw that their driver was waiting for them and he opened the door for Lucky to slide in and Nick got in beside her.

The drive to the airport was quiet and uneventful, but once there, one of the funniest things that Lucky could have imagined happened. After the tickets had been printed and Lucky and Nick were sitting in chairs by their terminal, a woman of about 40 came over to them.

“Excuse me sir, but, I don’t mean to pry. But, are you Justin Timberlake?” She asked in a hopeful voice.

“Oh, no. I’m sorry. No, I’m not Justin Timberlake.” Nick responded and pulled the baseball cap even lower over his eyes.

Lucky smiled at the old woman and laughed as she walked away. “What’s so funny?” Nick asked in a heated tone.

“She thought you were Justin Timberlake. That’s hilarious!” Lucky said and Nick became his usual grumpy self and slumped down into the chair.

Soon, it was time for their hectic day to begin. The flight was extremely smooth and they arrived quickly at the shoot. Once there, Lucky was introduced to Shannon Henderson, the Boys’ Public Relations Coordinator. She was nice and very bubbly, and the perfect person to handle all of the Boys at once.

Lucky met the Boys one by one as they were each taken to hair and make-up and wardrobe. Luckily they came up to her and she just sat back and watched as they were transformed. She watched Nick most closely though, because he was her client.

She admired how professional he was in his line of work. Posing for pictures exactly how the photographer wanted and he took direction very well. He knew exactly when to smile and when to look at the camera from the side of his eyes. He also knew exactly when to be serious. To watch him work was amazing.

It was even better when the guys were all together for the cover shoot. They were each jumping on individual trampolines and doing whatever funny poses they could imagine. The computer images were hilarious.

At the end of the day, Nick said goodbye to everyone on the set and to all of his brothers. Then, it was time for Nick and Lucky to return to New York.

The flight back to New York was as easy as the flight to LA. Once they got back, their driver met them and drove them back to the apartment.

“Excuse me sir.” Nick said over the speaker that allowed the driver and his passengers communication. “Can you please drop us off a few blocks from the apartment building?”

“Sure thing boss.” The driver responded.

He dropped them off at Fifth Avenue and 72nd Street. Right next to Central Park.

“The lights really are gorgeous in this city.” Lucky commented as she looked up at the buildings in front of her. “And the park is so peaceful.”

“Yeah, it’s great. That’s one thing I really love about Manhattan. And one reason I chose the apartment was because of Central Park. I can look at it whenever I want.” Nick said and put his hand on the small of Lucky’s back, guiding her in the direction of his apartment.

“Then why do you keep the curtains drawn over the windows?” Lucky inquired.

“I don’t know. Sometimes I have to be in the mood to open them. For the past few days I haven’t really been in the best of moods, if you couldn’t tell.” Nick said.

“What changed that?” Lucky asked, feeling as though she was breaking through his tough exterior for the first time since they had met.

“Being at work today. Even though it was crazy having to fly to the other side of the country for just a few hours, it’s what makes this job the best in the world. And I was really glad to have you there, even if I didn’t get to talk to you too much.” Nick said and stopped walking. He looked at Lucky and gave her a brief, but true smile. She returned his smile and started walking again.

“It was no problem. You are really great at what you do. I saw the focus and the drive you had today and it really inspired me. Not to get all mushy, but I have a lot of respect for you as an artist.” Lucky said.

“And how about as a man?” Nick asked.

“Well, I’m still working on that idea.” Lucky laughed and impulsively wrapped her arms around Nick’s waist and hugged onto him as tightly as possible. When she realized what she was doing, she dropped her arms immediately and started walking faster back to the apartment.

Once they had both arrived, they split as if they were opposite magnets and couldn’t get far enough away from each other.
Chapter 4 by Erica
For the next three weeks, Nick and Lucky ignored each other. According to Nick, they only co-existed in his apartment. Lucky left him notes as to her whereabouts and if he had any major events that he needed to tend to. One day, Lucky had decided that enough was enough and that she couldn’t continue to live in the same place with someone who she couldn’t converse with regularly.

“Um Nick. Hi.” Lucky said as she put her book down on the coffee table in the living room. Nick was passing by and he looked up at the sound of his name.

“Hi Lucky. Listen, I’ve got to get going, I’m about to be late for um, something.” Nick said as he headed out the door.

“No you’re not.” Lucky said and that caused Nick to turn around and look at her.

“I know that you’re just leaving so that you don’t have to be here with me. Listen, I’m SO sorry about that hug, but really it meant nothing. It was just an impulsive mistake that I made.” Lucky said as Nick retreated to the living room and sat across from her. She clasped her hands in front of her and looked at him.

“I just don’t want things to be uncomfortable because of that gesture. I don’t have any kind of romantic feelings for you, I just thought it would be a friendly thing to do since we were kind of having a friendly moment.” She continued.

“Listen, I don’t care. Whatever. I really do have somewhere to go, so if you’ll excuse me.” Nick got up and left before Lucky had any kind of chance. Lucky sighed and retreated to her book.

Later that afternoon, Lucky had an appointment to pick something up at the management building, so she walked down there and found that there was a large envelope with both her’s and Nick’s names on it.

She thanked Julie and tucked the envelope in her purse. As she was about to close up her purse, her cell phone rang. “Lucky Sullivan.” She answered. “Oh, hi Peterson. I just got an envelope, probably the invite. Ok, I’ll keep my eye out.” She said and hung up the phone.

Lucky took the subway back to the apartment and when she reached her apartment, she threw her purse on the kitchen counter and dug out the envelope. She looked up and saw Nick walking into the room.

“What is that?” Nick asked her and came around the kitchen counter and opened the fridge, grabbing a soda for himself and then shutting it.

“I don’t know. Johnny called me earlier and told me that I needed to pick something up from the agency, so I went down there and Julie handed me this envelope. It has both of our names on it, so I was going to leave it out for you.” Lucky said and carefully opened the flap of the envelope and pulled out a thick piece of cream colored cardstock.


Jive Records Cordially Invites

Nickolas Carter and Lucky Sullivan

To Attend the 6th Annual Charity Ball

Held in Honor This Year of the Backstreet Boys’ 12th Year

Dress is Formal and Dinner Will Be Served

This event will take place on the 28th of June in the Year 2005

At 8:00 P.M. on the 53rd Floor of the Rihga Royal Hotel

Located at 151 West 54th Street, New York


“That sounds wonderful!” Lucky said and looked up at Nick.

“Yeah, wonderful. Whatever. Just another night for a tux. I hate those things!” Nick said and walked to the living area and turned on the TV.

“Well, I’m going to look it up on the internet. I’m sure it’s beautiful. What am I supposed to wear?” Lucky asked, to no one in particular.

“I don’t care what you wear. Just don’t embarrass me. Apparently we’re supposed to go together, so you’d better look nice.” Nick said arrogantly and took a sip from his soda.

“Trust me, you’d better be the one on your best behavior Mr. High and Mighty.” Lucky said and slammed her bedroom door shut. Lucky turned her attention away from Nick to her computer and looked up the hotel ballroom. On the internet, it looked like a dream. She couldn’t wait to see how it was going to be decorated.

She picked up her cell phone and dialed Johnny’s number. “Hey Johnny, it’s Lucky.”

“Hey Lucky! Julie told me that you came and picked up your invitation. Is this your RSVP?” Johnny asked over the phone.

“Yes, and also a question. I have nothing to wear. What do you suggest I do?” Lucky asked and bit her lip in anticipation of the answer.

“Make Nick go to someone who can design a dress and make him a new tux. He really needs one. But whatever the expense, put it on the account. Lucky, it’s ok to have nice things now that you’re making a lot of money.” Johnny laughed over the phone.

“Ok, thanks Johnny! I’ll see you later!” Lucky said excitedly and hung up the phone. She jumped off of her bed and walked into the living room. Nick was still sitting on the couch.

“Get up. Let’s go!” Lucky said as she walked to the front door and slid on her flip-flops and grabbed her purse.

“Where are we going, and why are we going there?” Nick asked.

“We’re going dress and tuxedo shopping for the event we’re supposed to attend in two weeks.” Lucky said and Nick walked over cautiously.

“Am I going to have to watch you try on dresses for hours?” Nick groaned.

“No. I’ve already got a place in mind. I have a friend who works for Georgio Armani design and she has told me that if I ever need anything, just call her up and she’ll do her best to make it happen. I already know what I want my dress to look like and I just need her to take our measurements. It’s the least you can do for being so rude lately.” Lucky said and Nick was trudging behind her.

“Whatever Lucky. But don’t expect me to be happy about this.” Nick said and closed the door behind him.

“Don’t worry. I never expect you to be happy about anything.” Lucky said and they climbed into the elevator and eventually made it to the Armani store they were looking for.

Inside, they met with Lucky’s friend Jenna and she whisked them away to have their measurements taken separately. After an hour of detailed measurements, Lucky and Nick were reunited in the lobby.

“Thank you so much Jenna! I’m really looking forward to seeing how these outfits turn out. I’ll be keeping in touch!” Lucky said as she and Nick walked back into the sun.

“Well, that was a waste of an hour.” Nick grunted as he hailed a cab for the both of them.

“What are you talking about? You’re getting a new tuxedo for a CHARITY event. How can that be a waste of time?” Lucky asked him as a cab pulled up and they both got in.

“This charity ball is a waste of time too.” Nick said as the driver pulled into traffic.

“What is wrong with you? You really must be some kind of stone-cold son of a bitch to treat people like this. Do you even know what charity the proceeds are going to? Or how they’re raising the money?” Lucky asked.

“No, and honestly, I never do. I show up, donate money and I’m done.” Nick said matter-of-factly and looked over at Lucky.

“Well, in case you were wondering, the money is going to the Make-A-Wish foundation. In order to raise money, there is a $100.00 reservation fee per couple, and then it is going to cost $50.00 per dance. Honestly, I think this is a great idea and a great way to promote the Make-A-Wish foundation.” Lucky explained.

“Whatever you say Lucky, just don’t be expecting me to shell out $50.00 to dance with you.” Nick retorted and turned to glare out the window.

They sat in silence for the rest of the ride and then returned to their apartment in silence.

For the next two weeks, Lucky deliberately gave Nick the silent treatment, until it was time to pick up their formal attire.

“Nick, I’m going to pick up our clothes for tonight, is there anything you might need that you don’t already have for tonight?” Lucky asked.

“Yeah! Another date!” Nick called out and Lucky fumed as she slammed the apartment door shut.

Once she got back, she threw Nick’s box down in front of him and said, “Listen buddy. I don’t care if you’re the biggest asshole in the world when we’re here, but in public, you’d better pretend that you like me because it’s your “goody-two-shoes, nicest-guy-in-the-world” reputation that’s on the line.” Lucky said and Nick snapped up to face her. “Oooh, did I hit a nerve, pretty boy?” Lucky said sarcastically and carried her dress into her room. The doorbell rang and she walked out to answer it.

Standing in front of her were the people she hired as a “beauty team” for the night. She had someone for her hair, her nails, and her make-up. She smiled at them and they walked in down to her room.

“Nick, we have five hours to get ready. I’ll see you back in here at 7:30.” Lucky said and disappeared into her room.

After 5 hours, Lucky looked in the mirror at her transformation and was amazed. Her dress was floor length and emerald green. There was a loop around her neck and a small split in between her cleavage. There was also a diamond clasp at the starting point of the loop. Her fiery red hair was in an abundance of loose curls that were half up and half down in a long ponytail. She had a diamond clasp around her hair and a diamond bracelet accented her wrist. She had on large square cut emerald earrings and an emerald and diamond ring on her right ring finger. Her make-up was dark-green and black eyes and a light pink lip gloss.

When she emerged from her room, Nick was standing with his back to her and he was adjusting his tie and making sure that his hair was spiky enough. He turned around when he heard movement behind him and saw Lucky in her green dress. He gulped back in his throat before dropping his mouth in awe. She smiled a fake smile at him and grabbed her black beaded purse and headed for the door.

“Ready?” She asked Nick. She smiled and waved at the people who had helped her and walked out. Nick let out a breath he had been holding and followed her to the elevator. Once they were on, Lucky could feel Nick staring at her. “Is there something you need?”

“Um, wow.” Nick cleared his throat. “No, nothing.” He said and looked straight ahead. Once they reached the lobby, their limo driver was waiting for them.

“You look wonderful Ms. Sullivan. And you don’t look too shabby yourself Mr. Carter.” Their driver said and pulled out into traffic.

The drive took 5 minutes and once they arrived, Nick got out and opened the door for Lucky. He plastered on the trademark Nick Carter smile for the multiple lights flashing in his face. He took Lucky’s hand and placed it in the crook of his arm. They walked together to the elevator, through the photographers and once inside, Lucky withdrew her hand.

“You look very nice.” Nick said to her in the reflection of the elevator. He smiled a real smile at her and then looked down.

“Thank you, so do you. Can we just pretend to be nice to each other tonight? If not for us, then for the charity.” Lucky suggested and the bell in the elevator rang, signaling that they were at the floor they needed to be on for the ball.
Chapter 5 by Erica
Nick looked at Lucky and nodded. “I guess I can put being an asshole aside for one night. But tomorrow, it’s back to the same old me!” He winked at Lucky and took her arm again.

Lucky laughed lightly and thought to herself, “I wouldn’t expect anything less.”

As they entered the 53rd Floor Ballroom, Lucky plastered on a smile and walked into a very upscale and classy room. It was decorated with tiny white lights and there were many round tables draped with black tablecloths and white candles in the center.

Nick led her to their table and pulled out her chair. She sat down and was introduced to the rest of the Guys’ wives and dates. Lucky was immediately swept into conversation with the women at the table.

“So, Lucky, how is our arrogant-as-ever Nicky treating you?” Kristin asked Lucky and winked at Nick. “And I want to know the honest answer.”

“Nick … is … interesting. We have a complicated relationship. Considering I’m just his Personal Assistant. I don’t want to be too overbearing and I don’t want him to miss anything important.” Lucky answered honestly.

“I don’t think you’re too overbearing.” Nick said and took a sip of his drink.

“Yeah, because I only talk to you on your terms. I write him notes and leave them around the apartment.” Lucky said, turning from Nick to the rest of the table.

“What is it like living with a girl Nick? This is the first time that you’ve actually had one in that apartment, isn’t it?” Leighanne asked Nick.

“What is this? 20 questions?” Nick asked and immediately began brooding again.

“Now, that’s the Nick Carter we know and love.” Howie’s date, Ashley, commented and the table erupted in mild laughter.

“So Lucky, how did your parents come up with that name?” AJ asked her.

“I was born on St. Patrick’s Day and my parents couldn’t think of anything, so they thought of Lucky.” She answered and looked up to see the waiters bringing their food, just in time.

The meal went relatively well with a little bit more small talk, but mostly peaceful eating. By the time all of the meals were cleared, everyone at the table was contently full.

“That was the best meal I’ve ever had.” Lucky said as she sat back in her chair and placed a hand over her stomach. “I can’t believe they expect us to dance now.”


“Don’t worry. You don’t have to dance any time soon. I’m not going to be dancing at all.” Nick said and glared at the empty spot in front of him.

“You’re not going to be dancing at all? It’s for charity Nick.” Lucky pleaded.

“I don’t care. I’ll write them a check for the dances that I would have danced and then I’m good.” Nick said.

Just then, Johnny came to the table and placed his hands on Nick’s and Lucky’s shoulders. “I’m so glad to see you two here, together … and not fighting,” he said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Right, not fighting.” Lucky said and excused herself from the table.

“Do you see what you’ve done, Nick? Geez, can’t you be nice to a woman ONCE in your life?” AJ accused and got up from the table, dragging his date, Heather, to the dance floor.

Lucky stood by the dessert table glancing over the different varieties when someone came up behind her. “I saw what happened over there. I didn’t mean to over hear, but I’m sorry Nick is being such a douche bag.”

Lucky looked up and saw Kevin standing in front of her. “How did you “over hear”? You were sitting at the table with us.” Lucky walked away a little annoyed and embarrassed.

“I’m not Kevin. Everyone says that I look like him, but my name is Jesse Black. I’m the drummer for the Backstreet Boys’ back-up band. And you are …?” Jesse stuck out his hand to Lucky.

“Lucky Sullivan, Nick’s Personal Assistant. Nice to meet you Jesse. But I really must be going.” She said and withdrew her hand. She walked away, remembering her mental picture of Jesse.

She was on her way back to the table when the real Kevin caught up to her and touched her shoulder, causing her to turn around. When she turned around, she saw that Kevin wasn’t alone. She saw light blue eyes and short blonde hair, standing in a 6’1” frame and a white tuxedo. She smiled at them both and stared at the nameless face in front of her.

“Hi Lucky, I figure that you’re going to be around longer than most of Nick’s people, so I thought that you should start getting to know the people of the firm. This is Hunter Kensington. He’s Peter Kensington’s son, the Vice President of Jive Records.” Kevin introduced the two.

Lucky stuck out her hand to shake Hunter’s, but he surprised her buy taking it to his lips and giving it a polite kiss. Lucky smiled at the gesture and said, “It’s very nice to meet you, Hunter Kensington. I’m Lucky Sullivan.”

“Lucky Sullivan, trust me, the pleasure is all mine.” Hunter said in a smooth voice. “Would you care to dance?”

“I would love to!” Lucky said excitedly and Hunter walked her to the dance floor and signed their names to the sign in sheet.

Nick sat at the table watching Lucky head to the dance floor with who he thought was the son of one of the executives. He sighed and turned to talk to one of the other guys to find that he was alone at the table. He looked back to Lucky to find her and her partner dancing really close. He felt the familiar stirring of rejection.

“This is stupid. How can I feel rejected when I don’t even like her?” He went back to his drink which, he realized, was nearly empty. He finished the last of it and ordered another. He couldn’t help but look back at Lucky. “That should be me dancing with her.” He thought to himself. Nick’s eyes bulged out. He couldn’t believe that. No wonder he felt rejected.

His drink arrived and he stared down at it. He had no clue when he started liking Lucky; all he knew was that he did. He picked up his drink and downed it in one gulp. He ordered another. He didn’t like the feeling of knowing he liked her and that she couldn’t possibly return his feelings.

He looked at Lucky again. This time taking in what the guy looked like. Nick wasn’t close enough to get a great look, but he didn’t like what he saw. To Nick, he and this guy looked to be about the same height. He was close enough to realize that the other guy had the same color hair. He looks kinda like me.

“Then why won’t she like me?” He thought to himself as he sipped at his next drink while watching her dance with the other guy. She was laughing.

“She never laughs like that with me. I’m not good enough for her. That’s why she doesn’t like me. I probably wouldn’t even have a chance if I had treated her better.” He could still feel the pain of rejection and ordered another drink.

AJ looked at the table from where he was mingling. He furrowed his brow in confusion when he saw Nick at the table alone. He watched Nick for a few minutes, watching as the waiter kept bringing Nick full glasses of something. He excused himself and headed back to the table. He reached the table just as the waiter placed the drink in front of Nick.

AJ grabbed the glass before Nick could grab it. “Hey. Give that back.” He said with his words slurring slightly.

“Nick, do you want to talk about what’s bothering you?” AJ asked as he placed the glass back on the waiter’s tray.

“Nothing is bothering me.” Nick looked toward Lucky, who was still dancing.

AJ followed Nick’s gaze. “You like Lucky, don’t you?”

“What? That’s ridiculous.” Nick said as he folded his hands and placed them on the table. He shook his head as his eyes returned to Lucky and Hunter dancing.

“Really Nick. You haven’t taken your eyes off of Lucky since I’ve been over here.” AJ observed.

Nick sighed. “Fine. I like her, but it doesn’t matter because she doesn’t like me.”

“Maybe you should have treated her better.” AJ pointed out to a self-defeated Nick.

“I couldn’t help it. You know how I am.” He shrugged and shook his head again.

“Look, Nick, just because you treated her that way doesn’t mean she won’t dance with you. Go up to her and ask her to dance.” AJ suggested.

“I can’t. I blew my chance.”

“Fine Nick. Don’t ask her to dance. You’re throwing away your chance. But it’s your life and you’ll do what you want with it. But I will not allow you to continue with the alcohol.” AJ stood up and walked back to mingling. Nick stayed at the table feeling dejected and alone.

Lucky approached the table. She placed her hand on his shoulder. “Hey Nick.” Nick looked up. He gave her a small fleeting smile. “You want to dance?” She smiled at him.

He had a sudden boost of confidence. She came to ask him to dance. This was his chance. He opened his mouth to respond and he was about to say yes when he looked over her shoulder and saw Hunter staring at them.

He closed his mouth as the feeling of inferiority washed over him once again. He chickened out and said, “No thanks Lucky.” He returned his gaze to the tablecloth. God Carter, you’re such a wimp. That was your chance. Why do you have to screw everything up?

Lucky began to walk away, but then turned back to Nick. “Nick, are you ok?”

“I’m fine.” He lied through his teeth.

She could tell that was a lie. She heard it in his soft voice. She returned to Hunter. She turned back to look at the table. Nick had his head hung low. She was staring at Nick’s back, lost in her thoughts.

“Lucky, did you hear anything I just said?” Hunter asked, pulling her out of her thoughts.

“What? Oh, no, I’m sorry. I’m worried about Nick.” She said, and not breaking her gaze on Nick.

“What? Why?” Hunter asked, brushing off her idea.

“It seems like something is bothering him.” She responded and turned her head towards him.

“I wouldn’t worry too much about him. He was probably just rejected by some cheap slut.” Hunter scoffed and looked over at Nick.

“I don’t know. How can he get rejected when he hasn’t even left the table?” Lucky asked, hesitation in her mind and her voice.

“Oh, come on Lucky. Stop worrying. I’d much rather spend the rest of the night with the girl I was dancing with earlier, and not a worrywart, who’s worried over someone as temperamental as Nick Carter. Let’s dance.” Hunter grabbed her hand and headed to the dance floor.

She let him lead her back to the dance floor, but not without taking another look at Nick. What’s wrong with you Nick?
Chapter 6 by Erica
Nick snuck out of the party shortly after Lucky went back to dancing with Hunter. He made it home safely and stumbled into his apartment. He scowled at Lucky’s empty room when he fumbled past it. When he got to his room, he collapsed on his bed and passed out almost immediately.

Back at the party, Lucky took Hunter back to the table she shared with the Backstreet Boys and their girls and looked around, scanning the room for Nick. “Hey, where’s Nick?”

Brian looked around and didn’t see Nick anywhere. He shrugged and said, “Maybe he went to the bathroom.” When Nick never showed up again, they figured he must have picked someone up and left the party.

The party came to an end and Lucky invited Hunter back to the apartment. He accepted and they headed to the limo that Lucky had previously shared with Nick. They talked during the short ride back and were soon standing outside of the door to Nick’s apartment. Lucky unlocked the door and led Hunter into the apartment and down the hallway to her room. She left for the bathroom to change into her night clothes and when she returned, she saw Hunter sprawled on her bed in his boxers. She frowned when she saw that there was no room left for her. She shrugged and pushed him off the bed and onto the floor. He didn’t wake up and she snuggled into her comforter, falling asleep quickly.

The next morning Lucky woke up bright and early. She looked over her bed and stifled a giggle. Hunter was still in the same spot he landed the night before, so she climbed out of bed and headed to the shower.

After her shower, Lucky headed to the kitchen to make breakfast. As she was cooking, she felt arms come around her. She smacked his hands away and turned around. Hunter was still in his boxers. “You need to go get dressed. This isn’t your house, or mine for that matter and I don’t think Nick will appreciate it if he woke up to you walking around his apartment in your boxers.”

“If I must.” He left the kitchen and walked back to Lucky’s room.

Nick woke up and groaned. His head was killing him. He walked into his bathroom and groaned again when he found that he had no aspirin. He looked down at himself and realized that he was still in the suit he had worn the night before, and he reeked of alcohol. Changing into sweats and knowing that he needed a shower, Nick walked out of the bathroom in search of some aspirin.

Nick stopped in his tracks when he saw Hunter across his living room, coming out of Lucky’s room. Hunter spotted Nick and smirked. “If your fans could see you now,” Hunter mouthed and shook his head and walked back down the hall.

“Dick.” Nick thought to himself as he shook his aching head and walked into the kitchen, grabbing the available bottle of Advil from the countertop. He inhaled the scent of breakfast and his stomach churned.

“Hey Nick, you’re up earlier than normal.” Lucky smiled as she flipped the pancakes she was cooking.

“I couldn’t sleep.” Nick lied as he leaned against the counter, steadying his balance. He jammed the aspirin into his pocket and straightened up to walk out of the room.

He made it back to his bathroom and swallowed two of the small pills. Nick jumped into the shower quickly and as soon as he was dressed in a fresh pair of sweats, he went back to his bed and buried his head in the pillow, hoping that his headache will pass.

About ten minutes later, Lucky knocked on Nick’s door. When Nick didn’t answer, Lucky opened the door slowly. Nick had already fallen back to sleep. “Nick.” She said loudly, shaking Nick out of his nap.

He opened his eyes and glared at her. “What?” He squinted his eyes and rolled back over.

“I thought you said you couldn’t sleep.” Lucky said as she walked farther into his room and closed the door, but flipped on a light.

“So I lied.” He grumbled into his pillow.

“I just came to ask if you wanted breakfast?” Lucky asked as she stepped back towards the door.

“No.” He replied and continued keeping his head in his pillow.

“You need to eat something.” Lucky suggested, knowing why he was having such sensitivity to the light.

“Hangovers and food don’t mix. Now, if you don’t mind. I was trying to sleep.” Nick growled and looked at the door, suggesting Lucky leave.

“Ok Nick, I’ll leave you alone.” She left the room and closed the door gently behind her. Rolling over and covering his head with the covers, wishing sleep would come soon so that he wouldn’t have to feel the pounding in his head anymore.

The phone rang and jarred Nick from his sleep. He put the pillow up around his ears, hoping that Lucky would answer it. When the phone kept ringing, Nick looked at the clock and saw that 5 hours had passed since he had fallen. He reached for the phone and answered it, just to shut it up. “Hello?”

“Nick, its Johnny. You need to come down to the studio.” Nick heard Johnny’s voice coming cheerfully over the speakers of the phone.

“When?” Nick asked groggily.

“Now.” Johnny’s voice became stern.

“Now?” Nick groaned in frustration. “Is that necessary?”

“Yes Nick. Of course it’s necessary. It is very important.” Johnny said in another stern tone.

“Can’t somebody just fill me in later?” Nick asked, as he began to rub his eyes to wake himself up.

“No Nick. You should know better than that.” Johnny practically yelled.

“Come on Johnny. I don’t feel good.” Nick complained and rolled out of bed, heading towards the bathroom.

“Nice try Nick, but your hangover isn’t enough to get you out of a meeting. Now, get your ass out of bed and come down here.” Johnny said, in a chuckling glad-I’m-not-you voice.

Nick groaned again. “Fine.”

Nick got up and got dressed in some jeans and a better shirt. He left the house as quietly as possible and didn’t see Lucky or Hunter on his way out. As his mind wandered to what they could be doing, he shook his head and pushed the “Down” button on the elevator.

It was hours later before Nick made his way back to the apartment. He opened the door and stopped instantly at the sight before him. Lucky and Hunter were cuddling on his couch. He felt his heart sink through his toes. He knew he stood no chance now. He took a deep breath and headed to his room. He could hear their laughter reverberating off the walls. The louder they laughed, the more depressed he felt.

Once he was back in his room, Nick heard the door to his apartment close. That meant either Hunter left, or they both left. Nick didn’t open his bedroom door in fear that he would find out that the latter was true. He sat in the middle of his bed, lost in his thoughts, and wallowing in self pity.

Nick jumped at the knock at the door. That answered his question; obviously Lucky hadn’t left. He wasn’t so sure he was glad she didn’t leave. “Come in.”

Lucky opened the door. “Hey Nick.”

“Hi.” Nick responded, still a little dazed from the thought of Lucky and Hunter together.

“Feeling any better?” Lucky asked caringly and fully entered Nick’s room, moving closer to his bed.

“Not really.” Nick wasn’t sure if he was talking about his hangover or his feelings for Lucky. “What do you want?”

Lucky shook her head. “I wanted to see how you were feeling. Is that a crime?”

Nick scowled. “What did you really come in here for?”

“About that meeting you went to earlier…” Lucky trailed off, refusing to meet Nick’s eyes.

“What about it?” Nick paused. “How did you know I went to a meeting?”

“I talked to Johnny about it last night before the ball. He told me it was for a month long North American promotional tour.” Lucky supplied.

“Yeah, so. What’s it to ya?” Nick asked sarcastically.

“I wanted to know if it would be ok if I brought someone with me.” Lucky asked slowly, staring at a piece of Nick’s beige carpet.

“Who?” Nick asked, knowing damn well he didn’t really want to know.

“Hunter.” Nick’s heart dropped to the floor.

“Hunter?” Nick was shocked. That was the last person he had expected her to say. “Why would you want to bring Hunter?”

“He’s cute, he’s funny, he’s sweet. And most importantly, I can have an intelligent conversation with him.” Lucky said, while Nick wished he had never asked.

He turned away from her feeling the unintentional dig. He also felt completely defeated. “Fine. Whatever. You can leave now.”

“Nick?” Lucky asked, hoping that he would want her to stay and talk more.

“Leave.” Nick demanded through gritted teeth.

Lucky nodded. “Ok. I’ll come get you for dinner.” Nick shrugged. Lucky shook her head and left the room.

A couple hours later, Lucky stood over the stove wondering why she was cooking dinner for Nick. She rationalized it as she was cooking for herself, but making enough for him to eat too. She shut the stove off and set the table, placing dinner in the middle. She contemplated not getting Nick, but she figured if she didn’t, the rift between them might keep growing, instead of dissolving. With that thought, she headed down the hall to get Nick. She approached his door and knocked.

When she received no answer, she called through the door. “Nick?” She heard his door unlock, so she opened the door. “Dinner’s ready.”

“Ok.” He wouldn’t look at her.

She rolled her eyes and headed to the kitchen. Nick was following her. They sat at the table and served themselves. Nick was barely eating. He was merely pushing the food around on his plate. He wouldn’t make eye contact with Lucky. “Nick, are you ok?”

“I’m fine.” He lied and picked up his glass of water to conceal his lie.

“You’re not eating. Are you still feeling the results of last night?” Lucky asked carefully, not knowing whether or not she should even be caring.

“Not really.” Nick said, this time telling the truth.

“Then why aren’t you eating anything?” Lucky prodded.

“Not hungry.” Nick said and continued pushing the food around on his plate.

“I find that hard to believe.” Lucky said, looking at Nick in question.

“It’s the truth.” Nick shrugged and pushed his plate away.

“You haven’t eaten anything all day.” He shrugged. “Nick.”

“What?” He finally snapped.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Lucky asked, slamming her fork down on the table.

“Nothing. How many times do I have to tell you?” Nick returned, getting annoyed very quickly.

“Fine Nick. Whatever you say.” Lucky went back to eating. They were eating in silence until Nick stood up and abruptly left the table. Lucky looked after him and shook her head.

The situation in Nick’s apartment went downhill from there. Wherever Lucky was, Nick wasn’t. When Lucky asked him a question, he responded with either a shrug or a one syllable grunt. His most used response was a mumble of “I don’t know.” This was frustrating to Lucky. He wouldn’t even look at her when they were discussing his schedule.

After two weeks of Nick completely ignoring Lucky, it was time for them to begin the short 4-week tour of the US promoting the new album, Never Gone. Nick continued to ignore Lucky with the few exceptions of needing her input for a photo-shoot outfit or whatnot.

Lucky finally figured that Nick was so mad at her because she wanted to bring Hunter along on the tour and he didn’t want that. Oh well, she thought to herself. If he was going to be a jerk to her, at least she’d have someone there being nice to her, even if he was there just to make Nick jealous, but she would never tell anyone that.

A few days after the tour started, Lucky purposely started flirting more openly with Hunter. She was always hugging him and smiling at him and laughing with him, and always had one eye on Nick, to make sure he saw.

In the middle of the second week of the tour, the Boys were sitting around in the common area of their hotel in Dallas, Texas when Lucky and Hunter walked through. Lucky waved at the guys and smiled as she led Hunter down to her room.

“Wow. Seems to me that Hunter and Lucky are getting along rather well these days, don’t you think?” Kevin observed, throwing the question out there.

“Yeah, real well.” Nick snorted.

“Well, you live with her dude, how are they at home?” Kevin asked.

“Just friggin’ peachy. Just perfect. Lucky and Hunter sitting in a fucking tree.” Nick said and stormed off to his room, which just happened to be right across the hall from Lucky and Hunter. As he stood at his door, he looked over his shoulder wistfully and then shook his head and walked in.

“What the hell is wrong with him?” Kevin asked, completely bewildered by Nick’s actions.

“Can’t you tell cuz? Nicky’s gotten bit by the green-eyed monster.” Brian said.

“But why? He doesn’t even LIKE Lucky.” Kevin said, completely out of it.

“That’s where you’re wrong. He DOES like her. He feels like crap because he and Hunter look so much alike, but Lucky went for Hunter instead. And he knows it’s because he was a total asshole.” AJ said and shook his head. “We should try to encourage him to talk to Lucky.”

“He does talk to her, doesn’t he?” Kevin asked, again bewildered by this newfound knowledge.

“Man Kev, you’ve been out of the dating circuit for too long man. Nick talks to Lucky as his PA, not as a woman he’s trying to pursue. I don’t even think he talks to her that much anyways.” AJ stated. “I’m positive he has romantic feelings for her though. He always stares at her, and he told me himself at the ball a few weeks ago.”

“So all of this time, Hunter’s been hanging around with Lucky and Nick has had to witness them getting closer?” Howie asked. “That’s gotta suck.”

“Yeah, it really does. Like I said, we need to convince Nick to tell her how he feels. I’ll go talk to him.” AJ offered and got up and walked down the hall to Nick’s room.

AJ knocked on the door as Lucky and Hunter came out of Lucky’s room. Hunter looked pissed and Lucky looked upset. She tried wiping her face so that AJ wouldn’t see her, but he caught a glimpse regardless. He looked at her with questions in his eyes, but she just shook her head and said, “Call me later Hunter?”

“Maybe.” Hunter returned without turning around, and throwing a hand up in the air. “Whatever.”

Lucky looked at AJ and closed her door quietly. AJ turned around to see Nick coming out of his room.

“What did that asshole do to her?” Nick asked AJ in a hushed tone.

“I don’t know man, but I think we need to talk.” AJ said and pushed Nick back into his room and closed the door behind him. “You need to tell Lucky how you feel.”

“Well, you sure don’t beat around the bush now do you? Here’s me not beating around the bush too … No.” Nick said and laid back on his bed, folding his arms behind his head.

“Chicken. She’s hurting, she’s vulnerable. Go over there and show her that you care even just a little.” AJ encouraged.

“No. She’s hurting, she’s vulnerable. You said it yourself. She’ll probably think that I’m trying to take advantage of her.” Nick said, trying to make sense of his words in his mind.

“Not with the way you’ve been treating her.” AJ snorted and Nick shot him a dirty look. “Just go over there, talk to her like she’s a human, not the worst thing on earth.”

“That’s just the thing. She’s not the worst thing on earth, which makes it so hard for me to talk to her normally. You know how I am about women.” Nick said and looked at AJ knowingly.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. But Nick, that was what, 12 years ago. You really need to get over it and move on. I mean, you dated all those other trashy girls, why not go for a nice girl for once in your life?” AJ suggested and grabbed Nick’s arm.

“I know … hey! You thought all my other girlfriends were trashy?” Nick asked, looking mildly hurt.

“Well, I’ll sum it up for you … Paris Hilton dude.” AJ said and Nick smirked.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. I guess I’ll go over there and at least apologize for being such a jerk these past few weeks.” Nick admitted and adjusted his clothing. “Wish me luck man.” He said and exhaled.

With a pat on the back, AJ opened the door for Nick and pushed him across the hall. Nick stood in front of the door and mentally prepared himself for what he was going to say. AJ walked back down to the common room and sat with the guys.

Nick lifted his hand to knock and dropped it quickly. He shook his head and forced himself to do it. He knocked five times and waited patiently. He was about to turn and walk away when he heard the click of the lock and the door opened with a tear-stained faced Lucky. He didn’t know what came over him, but he walked into her room, closed the door and pulled her into a protective hug.
Chapter 7 by Erica
As Nick found himself pushing Lucky back into her room, he realized just how much he had come to like her and appreciate her. He held onto her tightly and just stood in the room until she made an attempt to let go. She looked up at him with sadness in her eyes and Nick just smiled at her.

“Well Carter, what’s gotten into you? The last time I tried to hug you, you would have thought that I was the plague or something.” Lucky said in a sad tone, trying to make a joke. She crossed the room and sat Indian-style at the end of her bed. She turned on the television and began flipping channels absent-mindedly. Nick followed her and collected his thoughts in his head before sitting next to her and speaking.

“Listen Lucky, I need to talk to you. I’ve been the biggest jerk ever. I’m so sorry that I’ve treated you so poorly.” Nick said and sighed as Lucky stopped pushing the channel up button on the remote and looked at him.

“Wow, well that was out of nowhere. Please only say it if you mean it Nick, I don’t need your sympathy.” Lucky said, shutting off the T.V. and throwing the remote somewhere behind her on the bed.

“Lucky, I completely understand why you would say that, but I really mean it. I’m so sorry. I don’t know if anyone ever told you that I have women issues, but I do. I was hurt really deeply when I was younger and ever since then, I haven’t been able to fully trust a good woman.” Nick said, feeling as though his chest was being slowly ripped open and his heart was being exposed for the first time in a long time.

Lucky looked at him with questioning eyes. “I kinda figured that when we met for the first time. You gave me the once over and then kind of dismissed me. I felt a little rejected and I didn’t even know you. And you didn’t know me either.”

“I’m so sorry.” Nick said for the third time that night. He hung his head and then gathered more courage. He repositioned himself so that he was facing Lucky with one leg draped over the end of the bed and he was playing with his fingers. “You know Lucky … you can talk to me … about Hunter … if you want.”

“Oh Nick, I don’t want to burden you with my girl trouble. He’s just a jerk, sometimes you guys can act that way.” Lucky said as she flipped her fiery hair over her shoulder and sniffed in.

“Don’t do that. Don’t lie to me.” Nick said.

“What? I’m not lying.” Lucky said.

“Yes you are. You did the hair flip.” Nick said. “You do that whenever you get really nervous or uncomfortable with something.”

“How do you know that? I do NOT do that when I’m nervous.” She replied and flipped her hair again.

“Lucky, I know so much more than you think. I may be an arrogant jerk, but I’m an arrogant jerk who notices the little things about you, the things that you do with different moods.” Nick observed.

“I don’t do anything different when I’m in different moods.” Lucky said, defensively. She was almost shocked that Nick noticed more than just her organizational skills.

“Want me to tell you more? To prove you wrong? Because I can.” Nick said with a big smile on his face.

“I’ll tell you some things I’ve noticed about you too then, Mr. Big Stuff.” Lucky replied and crossed her arms.

“Ok, like right now. You get this smile, where you pull your lips in and you have one dimple on the right side of your mouth. This is the smile you have when you think you know something no one else does. I’ve seen you use it with Hunter.” Nick said and lowered his head.

“Ok well, you have different looks when you’re working. Like when you’re singing for example. You have this look that shows all of the emotions you never talk about it on your face. When you’re at a press conference, you have a silly face, but you try so hard to be serious, probably because AJ is saying something smart-ass in your ear. And when you’re in front of a camera, you are all business and professional. I’ve never seen someone with such an intense look in their eyes when they’re having their picture taken.” Lucky admired and looked at Nick, who was staring intently at her. “What? I mean it.”

“I never realized that before. I guess sometimes I do act differently.” Nick conceded. “Well, let’s see. You hate wearing your glasses. Well, maybe not hate them, but you get very agitated with them.” Lucky looked at him with her mouth hanging open.

“How did you know that?” She asked, still flustered by his observation.

“Whenever you wear them, you’re always taking them off and putting them next to you. Then you rub your eyes and look at them in disdain.” Nick said and laughed, lightening up the mood.

“I do not look at them in disdain per se. Maybe I glare at them in loathing.” Lucky admitted and then laughed. “Ok Fancy Pants. Let me see here. You hate it when anyone else does your hair.”

“You are absolutely right. They never do it right.” Nick said and nodded.

“They always put in too much gel. You need less gel and more finger styling.” Lucky said.

“Exactly. Wow. We should talk more often.” Nick said and then realized what he said. He put his head down and Lucky got up from the bed. She walked over to the kitchen sink and turned on the water.

“Nick, you’re allowed to say things that might be honest. I hate it when you and I are so close to having a good conversation and you put your head down in shame. As if I’m going to reprimand you for speaking to me.” Lucky said and poured both her and Nick a drink.

“Ok. Fine. I’ll try to be more open and honest. Just as long as you stop cooking in my kitchen.” Nick said.

“What the hell? My cooking is NOT bad!” Lucky said, suddenly getting very offended.

“That’s not why I’m asking you to stop cooking. Whenever you cook, you get into this zone where you start dancing like you have music in your head, and it gets to me. It makes me happy when I’m trying to be a brooding ass. Stop ruining my bad moods!” Nick said and laughed.

“Scout’s honor!” Lucky said and put up two fingers in a mock salute. “Nick, I really mean it. I would really like to talk to you more often. I think you and I would work so much better together if we actually talked to each other about every day stuff.” She handed him his drink and she sat back down on the bed next to him.

“I agree. So let’s talk about … stuff. What happened with Hunter?” Nick asked, cutting straight to the chase.

“Well, you sure take this honesty thing to heart.” Lucky said, and laughed nervously flipping her hair. “Well gosh, I guess you’re right. I might as well tell you, since he’s probably just waiting for me to call him and tell him that everything’s ok. As you know, he and I have been, um seeing each other for about two months now. Well, I’m not the kind of girl who just hops in the sack with every guy she meets, you know? I kind of like being in love with someone before getting to intimate. Geez, this is so embarrassing.” She said and put her hand up to her cheek, as if she could feel herself blushing.

“It’s ok. You can talk to me.” Nick said and took her hand. He felt his heart drop to a content place in his chest and ran his thumb over the top of her hand.

“I know, it’s just weird, you know? We go from avoiding each other at all costs to talking about personal stuff.” Lucky said, but didn’t pull her hand away.

“Just incase you’re wondering, I’m not the kind of guy who expects a girl to give it to me the first time we meet. Hell, I don’t expect it until I know for sure that she’s ready. If she wants to wait, then I’ll wait. I totally respect girls who know who they are and what they want when it comes to sex.” Nick said, hoping that he was encouraging to keep talking to him.

“That is definitely good news. Anyways, we were in here, hanging out and watching T.V. he just started undressing and pulling me to him. Trying to kiss me, and calling me ‘Baby’ and whatever. I just told him that I wasn’t ready to have sex with him, I barely know him, you know? Anyways, after telling him about five times that I didn’t want to have sex with him, he took it as I never wanted to have sex with him and thought I was breaking up with him. So he got dressed and yelled about how he hoped I could fine the loser that would never have sex with me.” She said. She tightened her grip on Nick’s hand and then pulled away. “I’m not a virgin, Nick. I just don’t want to have sex with him right now. It’s too early in our relationship.”

“I understand. Do you ever want to have sex with him?” Nick proceeded cautiously.

“I don’t know now. Not if he’s going to act like that. I mean, I’ve had my fair share of boyfriends, and I know that he’s the controlling type. I guess I just never noticed it before today.” Lucky said and drank the rest of her water.

“I could have told you that.” Nick snorted. “He’s always been controlling. With the way he wants every one to know that he’s the VP’s son and that he’s OUR boss and blah blah blah. Hunter Kensington the Great.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Lucky said. She started laughing at Nick’s comment.

“Lucky, I …” Nick trailed off as he heard a knock at the door.

Without looking out the peephole, Lucky answered the door. A disheveled Hunter stood in front of her and he looked past her into the room. “Hello Nick. Can I talk to my girlfriend alone?”

“I’m not sure if she wants to talk to you Hunter. Why don’t you ask her first?” Nick responded and got up from the bed, hoping that Lucky would turn Hunter away and they could finish their conversation.

“Baby, can you and I please have some alone time to talk?” Hunter said and placed his hands on Lucky’s hips. He smiled at her and then smirked at Nick.

“Yeah, I think that might be a good idea. Thanks for being a friend Nick. I’m really glad we got to talk. I’d really like some time to talk to Hunter now.” Lucky said and looked out the door.

“If that’s what you want. I’ll probably be across the hall, if you need me. If not, just call my cell phone like you always do.” Nick said feeling completely defeated. He walked across the hall and heard the door close behind him as he opened his own. Walking over to the mini-bar he had in his room, he opened up the refrigerator and grabbed the first bottle of liquor he could find and dumped it into the nearest glass.

*****


“So, what was Nick doing here?” Hunter asked as he closed the door behind him.

“He was just over here talking to me.” Lucky said vaguely and flopped back on the bed.

“Really? Talking? You two were having a civil conversation? Wow, it’s almost a miracle. I mean, I’m not too excited by it, but whatever. I guess that makes your life easier. Hell, it makes my life easier too because now I don’t have to worry about hearing you complain about how much of an asshole he is to you.” Hunter said and jumped on the bed next to Lucky, throwing off his shoes.

“You know Hunter you might try and be a little less understanding.” Lucky said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry baby. I’m just glad you two are getting along now. I mean, honestly, wasn’t he pissing you off to no end?” Hunter said, running his hand up Lucky’s back, under her shirt.

“Hunter, stop it!” Lucky said and smacked away his hand. As she twisted, his hand moved to the front of her shirt and he grabbed a handful of her breast. “Oh Hunter!”

““Baby, I’m so sorry for acting the way I did. I was wrong and immature. Can you ever forgive me?” Hunter asked, in a super smooth tone.

“Hunter, I think it’s time we talked about …” Lucky said and looked at the door, to make sure no one was listening.

*****


Nick looked groggily at the clock and noticed that it read 8:45 pm. He could feel himself losing sense and inhibition of his surroundings. He heard a loud knock on his door and yelled, “GO AWAY!” slurring the words and trying to steady himself. He walked over to his bed and laid there until he heard another knock.

“What the hell do you want? I thought I told you to go away!” Nick yelled, growing belligerent.

“Nick! It’s Lucky. Open up the door!” She yelled and slammed her fist on the door.

“No! I don’t want to fucking talk to you any more. Take advantage of me being a nice guy and then invite that asshole fucker back into your room, and probably your bed, as soon as he comes a calling!” Nick said and continued to lie on his bed.

“Nickolas Gene Carter, that was so disrespectful I don’t even know what to say to you right now. But I know this, that if you don’t answer this door in one minute, I’m going to call hotel security and then all of the local news stations and newspapers to tell them how awful you really are. I’ll even lie and make you sound worse than you …” She trailed off as Nick opened the door and gave a grand gesture for her to enter.

He almost fell over himself as he walked back to the bed. Lucky closed the door and observed the room. There were about fifteen miniature bottles of liquor sitting out. “So this is what you do Nick? This is what you’ve been doing for a while now, isn’t it? Drink your problems away?”

“Shut up Lucky.” Nick said. “I don’t want to hear anymore about your … problems. You fucking sit there and tell me how awful Hunter is and then the SECOND he comes knocking at the door, you’re all over him like white on rice.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re just drunk and you’re making your own assumptions.” Lucky said as she started to clean up his mess.

“Let me ask you something Lucky. What’s he got that I don’t, huh? We look almost exactly alike, we both make obscene amounts of money. Is it the size of his penis Lucky? Because I’m sure I’ve got him topped in that department too.” Nick said and began unzipping his pants.

“No Nick! No! Stop that!” Lucky said and rushed over, taking his hands away from his pants. “What’s all that supposed to mean anyways?”

“Don’t you get it Lucky? Don’t you get it at all? He’s just using you to make himself look good. He knows that he can have you and I can’t and it’s great for him but it … it kills me. Every single day it kills me. Seeing you two laugh, and cuddle, and kiss, and joke. I hate him. Every single day I hate him.” Nick said.

Lucky stared at him with wide eyes and an open mouth. “Why do you look so confused Lucky? You had to have known how I feel.” Nick said. He reached out and grabbed her face with one hand. He pulled her to him and kissed her lips. “I love you Lucky. I love you so much! And I can’t even fucking tell you that because you’re with him! You’re with Hunter Kensington!”

“Nick, Hunter and I broke up. And that’s not the point. I’m still confused. You love me?” Lucky said, the kiss burned deep in her mind.

“I love you more than anything in the world. I would do anything for you. I would die … I would die for you Lucky. If I had to, I would die for you.” Nick said and started to fall asleep. “I love you Lucky.”

“No you don’t Nick. You can’t love me. You don’t love me. Do you?” She asked. When she looked over at him, she saw that he had fallen asleep.
Chapter 8 by Erica
“I love you more than anything in the world. I would do anything for you. I would die … I would die for you Lucky. If I had to, I would die for you.” Nick said and started to fall asleep. “I love you Lucky.”

“No you don’t Nick. You can’t love me. You don’t love me. Do you?” She asked. When she looked over at him, she saw that he had fallen asleep. He was curled up on his bed and shaking from the constant flow of cool air coming from the air vent directly above his bed. She pulled a blanket over him and watched him breathe.

She allowed his confession to wash over her mind. “He loves me.” She said out loud. She looked at him sleeping and thought to herself, “Do I love him?” She shook her head, claiming that she couldn’t. “How can I love someone who’s been so mean to me?”

Just as she was falling into a trance of thought, her cell phone vibrated in her pocket. She looked at the familiar number and walked into the bathroom, taking the call. “Hey Peterson.”

“Sullivan, it’s been a while since I’ve heard from you. Anything to report?” Peterson’s deep, intimidating voice asked over the earpiece.

“Nothing since the ball. I told you I met him there and he surprised me. We’ve been on a promotional tour for a few days now and I’ve seen him a lot.” Lucky said into her phone, trying to keep her voice low. “I’ll call you if I get any more information.”

“10-4. Please keep me updated. Have a good day Sullivan.” Peterson’s voice said and the phone conversation was quickly ended with a click from the other end. Lucky closed her phone and walked back into Nick’s room in time to hear him calling her name.

“I’m here Nick.” Lucky said as she walked back over to his bed. She sat down next to his head and wiped a piece of random hair out of his face. His eyes were closed, but she knew that he was awake.

“Will you stay with me tonight? Just be in the room with me?” Nick asked, his voice low and hopeful.

“I’ll be right here. I’m just going to sleep on the couch and watch TV, ok?” Lucky said and saw that Nick had already fallen back into a deep sleep. She took up residence on his couch and turned on the TV. She looked at the clock and saw that it read 9:30 p.m. There was nothing on TV at that time, so she got up and grabbed Nick’s room key before walking down to the common room. Seeing that the Boys were all sitting down there, she decided to join them.

“Hey Lucky. We saw Hunter walk out. He seemed pretty pissed. Is everything ok?” Brian asked and everyone turned to Lucky as she grabbed a seat on the couch next to AJ.

“Yeah, I’m fine. He might not be, but I don’t care. I broke up with him.” She said simply and waited for everyone’s reaction.

“You broke up with him?!” AJ asked. “Dude, do you realize what you just did?”

“Yeah, I broke up with an arrogant, self-centered, controlling son of a bitch.” Lucky said and sat back.

“Well, that too. But you also broke up with the Vice President of our record label’s son. I have a feeling that you might not have a job very soon.” AJ said.

“Why not? I don’t work for the label? I work for the management company. And I’m sure Nick would hire me personally if anything happened.” Lucky defended herself.

“Yeah, but Nick might hire you for more, um, personal assistance, if you know what I mean.” AJ joked and elbowed Lucky.

“You ass!” Lucky said and took the pillow she was leaning against and hit AJ in the face with it. “Besides, Nick doesn’t like me like that, we have a professional relationship.”

“Whatever you say Lucky.” Brian scoffed, and all of them laughed.

They hung around the common room for a few more hours and when Lucky looked at her watch and saw that it read 11:58 p.m., she decided that she needed to head to bed. When she announced that she was leaving, the boys decided that she was right and that they had an early wake-up for the next day’s press conference. Lucky went into her room and changed into her pajamas and grabbed another blanket and then walked across the hall to Nick’s room.

When she walked in, she saw that he was still asleep, but the blanket she had covered him with earlier had fallen off. She leaned over him and pulled it back over his shivering body. She kissed his forehead lightly and returned to her spot on the couch. She turned on Nick at Nite and fell asleep to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

*****


The next morning, Nick woke up at 7:00 a.m. to the sound of the phone in his room ringing loudly by his ear. He picked it up and heard the front desk associate giving him his wake up call. The fact that he had an awful headache didn’t help. He thought he remembered seeing Lucky sleeping on his couch when he had woken up earlier that morning to go to the bathroom. However, this morning she was nowhere to be found.

Nick climbed into the shower and allowed the warm water to rush over his body. Throughout his shower, Nick was having flashbacks of the night before. He remembered talking to Lucky for a while and then Hunter showed up. Then he remembered leaving and drinking and Lucky coming over to talk to him and he couldn’t remember anything else he had said or done. He hoped that he hadn’t said anything stupid to Lucky, like telling her that he loved her. That would have been awful to tell her for the first time while he was intoxicated. Whatever, he would cross that bridge when he came to it.

Nick got dressed in an outfit that was laid out for him on his table and wondered how it had gotten there. He brushed his teeth and did his hair. He grabbed his hat and sunglasses and walked out the door. As soon as he walked out the door, he was met with Lucky’s smiling face. He smiled at her and gave her a once over. She was wearing a yellow and pink striped cotton skirt that came down just a little past her knee, a pink tank-top, and pink heels. She had a yellow ribbon tied around her hair and all pearl jewelry. She always seemed to look put together and professional.

She smiled at him awkwardly and said, “Sorry I wasn’t there when you woke up, I had to get ready for today too. I get to introduce you guys today.” Lucky seemed to be a little nervous and flipped her hair over her shoulder.

“You do? You’re going to be great. What’s on tap for today?” Nick asked, a little confused why she would have been in his room when he woke up, but not letting it consume him.

“Well, first you have a press conference with representatives from all of the major newspapers, magazines, and news channels from the state of Texas, then give a small concert to about 50 kids that won a school contest, and then there is a CD signing at the Virgin Records Store downtown. Then it’s time to get on the plane and fly home because the tour will be over.” Lucky said, sounding much like she was also reminding herself of the day ahead of them.

“I can’t wait for this tour to be over. I feel like I’ve been on fast forward since we started a month ago.” Nick said and Lucky just sighed in agreeance. “Hey Lucky, is everything ok?”

“Yeah, it’s fine. Just, last night …” She trailed off as the elevator doors opened and they were whisked away to the grand ballroom of their hotel.

Three hours later, everyone was checked out of the hotel and on their way to Houston High School. Nick and Lucky sat together and Lucky stared out the window.

“Lucky, what’s wrong? You mentioned something about last night. I was pretty messed up last night. I’m really sorry if I said anything that hurt you. I didn’t mean anything that I said last night.” Nick said, hoping that would make everything better for her.

“You didn’t mean anything you said last night?” That almost broke Lucky’s heart because it kept her wondering if Nick meant it when he said that he loved her. “Not even about being mad at me for talking to Hunter?”

“No, I’m not mad. I’m sure you had your reasons for talking to him. Brian told me that you two broke up. I guess that’s a good thing.” Nick said and Lucky just stared at him.

“Right, yeah, we did. I told you that last night too and you were mad at me for talking to him. Glad to know that you’re ok now.” Lucky said.

“Yeah, it’s all good. Sorry if I hurt you or your feelings. By the way, you’re going to be great introducing us today!” Nick said and patted Lucky’s knee in a friendly yet intimate gesture. She smiled at him and just nodded and returned her gaze out the window. They pulled up to the high school and the boys were taken away to the auditorium to do a sound check.

Lucky continued going through her introduction in her mind and when the time finally came, she delivered her lines perfectly. The boys performed with great enthusiasm and they were well received by the kids who had the chance to attend the concert.

The entire time the Boys were performing, Lucky couldn’t take her eyes off of Nick. His confession in the car showed that he was obviously too drunk to remember anything that had happened between them, but did it mean that he really didn’t love her? The idea was kinda growing on her. The night she slept on his couch was a restless night filled with dreams of their future together, and it left her unsettled.

She continued to watch him work and felt her cell phone vibrate in her pocket. She looked down and saw a familiar number flashing on her phone. She smiled and picked it up. “Oh my gosh! Lily! I can’t believe I’m hearing from you! How in the world are you?” Lucky asked as she walked further into the backstage area so that she couldn’t be heard.

“I am wonderful, and how are you Lucky? I hear you’re shacking up with a Backstreet Boy these days. Is it that hunky, tattooed one?” Lucky’s best friend, Lily Bensen, asked over the phone. “God, Lucky! I feel like it’s been forever since we’ve talked. I swear it’s been since you left for New York!”

“I know, and I’m so sorry about that! I’ve missed you soo much!” Lucky said, thankful for the conversation from home. “So yeah, I’m doing PR work for Nick Carter. Can you believe it?”

“You are one lucky girl Lucky Sullivan! So, how is the man? As gorgeous in person as he is on paper?” Lily prodded.

“Liliana Bensen! I am NOT thinking about breeching a professional relationship with my client! Besides, there’s way too much other stuff going on, if you know what I mean.” Lucky said cryptically.

“Yeah, I know. It sucks though. You need a personal life too. And I think you’re lying to yourself. I think you like this boy …” Lily said, deliberately trialing off, allowing Lucky to answer her.

“I just don’t know. I don’t know if I’m what he’s looking for, you know? Oh gosh Lil, I gotta run! The Boys just got off stage and Nick and I need to head to the airport! I’ll call you at some point.” Lucky said and hung up the phone before giving her friend a chance to respond.

Nick ran backstage and found Lucky just getting off of her phone call. He flashed her his signature smile and motioned that it was time for them to go. She nodded and walked with him out to their awaiting car. The group said quick goodbyes since they were all going in separate directions and Nick and Lucky were left alone in the car.

Lucky looked at Nick and gave him a tired smile. She patted his hand and said, “Job well done,” before drifting off into a light sleep. She woke up to Nick gently shaking her and telling her that they were at the airport. She felt refreshed and ready to face the plane trip back to New York.

Once they were seated in their First Class seats, Lucky and Nick adjusted and quickly became comfortable. Once the pilot announced that the flight was ready for take-off, Lucky noticed Nick grab onto the arm rests and hold on for dear life. “God, I wish I had some alcohol right now.” Nick said.

Just before he made that comment, Lucky was this close to grabbing his hand and comforting him, but something instantly changed her sympathy towards him into anger. “Damnit Nick! I hate it when you get like this! You have an obstacle in front of you and the first thing you do is run for the bottle. Life isn’t solved by taking another drink. Hell, it’s not even solved by LOOKING at another drink. Why in God’s name do you feel it necessary to drink when you get scared?” Lucky demanded to know. She watched as his knuckles turned paler, along with his face and she wasn’t sure if it was because she had thrown the accusation in his face or from his fear of flying.

Lucky turned in her seat to see the sun setting over the city of Houston. She was so infuriated by Nick’s comment that she couldn’t even look at him. She sat on the plane for an hour and half looking out the window, watching the roads and the cars and the people getting smaller as they flew over state after state.

When Nick nervously said her name, Lucky didn’t bother to turn and face him, but just said, “Go ahead.”

“Did something else happen last night? Something you didn’t tell me about?” Nick asked and Lucky’s peripheral vision caught Nick loosening his death grip on the arm rests.

“Nothing happened that you’d want to know about Nick. Nothing important, or else I’m sure you would have remembered it on your own. Just don’t always expect me to be there when you fall apart. I can’t handle watching you kill yourself and drown yourself in alcohol.” Lucky said, the heartfelt speech tearing her apart.

“I understand. Lucky, please look at me.” Nick said and grabbed her chin with his hand and pulled her face so that she was looking at him straight in the eyes. “I really appreciate everything you’ve done for me. You’ve been such a ray of sunshine in my life. I know that sounds corny, but I mean it.”

Lucky smiled at him weakly and said, “Actions speak louder than words Nick.” She turned yet again so that she was looking out the window.

Nick stared at her, feeling defeated and tried to think of something, anything that would convince her that he truly needed her in his life. He did however, gather up the courage to look out the window. What he saw changed his life. Looking out over the Hudson river and seeing the Manhattan skyline at night was absolutely breath-taking. For that moment, Nick felt as if it was only special enough for him and Lucky.

“Lucky, that’s beautiful.” Nick said, not believing in his own voice.

“Are you looking out the window?” Lucky asked, sounding a bit surprised. She turned half-way to see Nick staring out at the sight before them and smiling a true smile. “You are! Oh wow Nick, this is a big step. I’ve always loved pictures of this scene, but the real thing, it’s just amazing.”

“Not as amazing as you are Lucky. And I mean that. Let’s experience this skyline together in person. Friday night, can you and I please do something together? I’d even like to call it a … a … date.” Nick said, nervously meeting Lucky’s eyes.

“Did you really just ask me out on a date?” Lucky asked, wide-eyed. “I thought you’d never ask.” She smiled at him and moved a piece of hair out of his eyes.

The landing was smooth and their bags were delivered to Nick’s penthouse. The drive back to his building was quiet, but full of romantic tension. “Nick, why do we have to wait until Friday?” Lucky asked.

“Because tomorrow is too soon for me to put anything worthwhile together, and Friday night is the perfect first date night.” Nick answered and took Lucky’s hand in his. “I promise you, it will be perfect.” He smiled at her, and allowed his hand to linger over hers for just a few seconds longer than normal. She smiled back and then turned her attention out the window, just in time to see the entrance to their building.

They boarded the elevator together and went their separate ways once inside the apartment. Lucky was just about to crawl into her comfortable bed when she heard a knock at the door. She knew it was Nick and smiled to herself.

When she answered the door she said, “Fancy seeing you in this neck of the woods. What can I do for you?”

“This.” Nick said and planted a light kiss on her lips. The feeling was so right and perfect for the moment and Lucky welcomed the familiar taste of Nick’s lips. “Thank you. Just for being wonderful. I’ll see you in the morning.” With that, he walked away and left Lucky completely speechless.

*****


Lucky woke up with an extra spring in her step the next morning and went straight to the kitchen to make breakfast. When she went to check on Nick, she saw that his bed was empty and so was his room. As she was walking back to the kitchen, she noticed a note on the living room table with her name on it.

Inside, Nick told her that he had gone out to run a few errands in the morning and not to worry about him, but that he would return around 5:00. She smiled, knowing that she had the whole day to figure out what she was going to wear for their date tomorrow night. After making herself breakfast, she decided that she really needed to clean her room. Making her bad, doing laundry, and dusting after a month of being away kept her busy until her phone rang around 3:00.

She was expecting the phone call to be from Nick, but when she saw Peterson’s name flashing, she furrowed her brow in confusion.

“Hey Peterson, what’s up? I have nothing new.” Lucky reported and listened to her boss on the other end.

“Listen Lucky, I hate to do this, but I really have to pull you away from New York for a little while. I need you to return to Chicago as soon as possible and begin working on something else for me.” Peterson’s intimidating voice practically commanded her next steps.

“Are you sure sir? Can’t Lily take care of that?” Lucky asked, hoping that she could really get someone to take over for her.

“No Sullivan, I need you here ASAP. I’ve already booked you a flight back. It’s at 5:30 sharp. This is not negotiable.” Peterson said and hung up before Lucky had the chance to rebut.

Lucky looked around her newly cleaned room and a single tear fell down her cheek. She began packing all of her clothes into duffle bags and figured that if she really needed anything, she could buy it once back in Chicago. She hoped that she would only be there for a short period of time, and that Nick would understand.

Just as she was about to leave, she turned back and thought of Nick. She looked at the windows and the memory of her arrival was at the front of her mind. She smiled at the thought that Nick had finally started opening the curtains on his own, without her prodding. And then frowned, knowing that once she was gone, they’d be closed again.

Finishing the note she was writing, she kissed it and folded it in half, leaving it in the same place she had found her note from Nick just hours earlier. Looking back one more time, she closed the doors and walked to the elevator, unsure of when she would return.

Just 30 minutes later, Nick walked in the door. He called out Lucky’s name a few times and when she didn’t answer, he grew a little worried. He first checked his room, wishfully thinking that maybe she’d be in there waiting for him. When she wasn’t there, he automatically checked her room, to find it still in tact, but eerily changed.

As he stood in the kitchen, thinking of where she could be, he spotted her note. He walked over to it and smiled, hope in his mind and heart. However, that hope faded once he opened it up and saw her handwriting.

Nick,
I really hate to do this, especially with our relationship changing as it is. I got a phone call from my mom today telling me that my father has lost his job. I have decided that it is in the best interest of my family to return home and help them until they get themselves back on their feet.

I am so sorry to have to cancel our date for tomorrow night. I just want you to know that I was really looking forward to it. I hope that you can understand these sudden circumstances I’ve been dealt and forgive me.

I’m not sure when I’ll be back in New York, but I will be, I promise. I really want to keep in touch, so please call me and I’ll do the same. I miss you already.

Sincerely, Lucky


He took an envelope from his pocket and threw it on the table. He stared blankly at the Broadway tickets he had just spent most of the morning trying to acquire and thought to himself, “History has a way of repeating itself.”
Chapter 9 by Erica
CHRISTMAS EVE 2005

“Sullivan thanks for all of your help these past few months. Now that this is wrapped up, you are free to go back to New York.” Peterson said to a tired looking Lucky as he rounded her desk.

“Are you serious?” Lucky asked, hoping that Peterson wasn’t going to surprise her like he had the other few times he told her she could go home.

“Yes, this time I really mean it.” Peterson said and patted her back. “Good work Sullivan.” With that, he left Lucky to herself. The first thing she did was pull up Delta Airlines' website and book a flight back to New York the next day.

She drove home as fast as she could and began packing up her bags. About half way through, she heard her cell phone vibrating on her night stand and started praying that it wasn’t Peterson. Looking at the name, she smiled and saw that it was Lily.

“So I hear you get to leave huh?” Lily said with a sad tone tipping her voice.

“Yeah, I get to go back to New York, back to Nick, back to my life there. Boy am I glad.” Lucky said as she folded a couple pairs of underwear and tucked them away safely.

“Well, you know, it’s been good having you home these past few months. How do you think Nick is going to respond to you going home? Have you told him yet?” Lily asked her friend.

“No, I haven’t told him yet, I think I am just going to surprise him. At least if I just go, he won’t be able to tell me no. We haven’t really been staying in touch as often as we did in the beginning, but I guess that’s to be expected. I mean, I’m sure he’s busy with the album and everything, you know?” Lucky said, feeling unsure of Nick’s response to her return.

“He hasn’t moved on Lucky.” Lily said, reassuring her friend. “Trust me; I would feel it for you if he had.”

“Thanks Lil. Listen, I have to get back to packing, but I’d really like to see you before I leave, especially with tomorrow being Christmas and all.” Lucky looked over at the clock and saw that it was only 6:30. “Come over by 8:00 and I’ll make dinner and you can help me finish packing.”

“Sounds great, and I have something for you!” Lily said in a sing-song voice. She laughed at her comment and hung up the phone.

About 45 minutes later, the doorbell rang Lily was standing at Lucky’s apartment door holding a large wrapped box. She smiled and handed the box to Lucky and hugged her before walking into the apartment. “Hmm! Smells good in here!”

“Thanks, I just whipped up some chicken and veggies. I hope that’s what you’re hungry for.” Lucky said and looked over to where all of her packed bags lay waiting to be taken back to New York. “You know, Lil, I am really going to miss getting to hang out with you again.”

“Aw, Luck, don’t go getting all sentimental on me. Besides, as soon as you see Nick, your thoughts of me are going to be gone.” Lily said and laughed, grabbing herself a plate and filling it with food. “So what’s to drink around here? Please tell me you have some form of alcohol.”

Lucky laughed and grabbed her wine glasses, pouring them each a full glass of red wine. “To Christmas and hoping Nick still loves me.” Lucky accidentally slipped.

“WHAT?! He loves you? How do you know that?” Lily asked and sat down on Lucky’s couch, turning on the TV and cutting her food.

Over the course of dinner, Lucky admitted Nick’s drunken night to Lily and ironically, the two of them got pretty blasted off of the wine. Giggling wildly, Lucky heard her cell phone ring. “It had better not be that damned Peterson. I swear, if I have to stay here, I’m going to quit.” Lucky said, slurring her words. To her surprise the name flashing on the Caller ID was Nick’s.

“Hey Nicky! I was just thinking about you,” Luck said a little loudly.

“Um, hey, Lucky? What’s up? Are you ok?” Nick asked tentatively.

“Yeah, I’m great! Hey, it’s almost Christmas! Merry Christmas!” Lucky said and started laughing uncontrollably.

“Yeah, Merry Christmas to you too. I was actually just calling you to say that. But it sounds like you’re busy, so I’ll let you go. I’ll talk to you later.” Nick said sullenly and hung up.

“He hung … up on me! Oh well, I’ll see his fine ass tomorrow and make him feel ALLLLL better, if you know what I mean.” Lucky grinned and she and Lily returned to the task of emptying their bottle of wine.

Meanwhile, in New York, Nick sat staring at his phone and couldn’t believe the phone call he had just experienced. What the hell was Lucky’s problem? Or for that matter, what the hell was his? She seemed to be getting along just fine without him, why was he still dwelling on the thought of her return? Looking at the clock and seeing that it was well past midnight, he decided to head off to bed. Little did he know that a restless night of Lucky filled dreams was ahead of him.

*****

CHRISTMAS MORNING 2005

Groggily, Lucky looked up at her clock and saw that it read 8:24 am. “OH MY GOSH! I’m going to be SOOO late.” Lucky yelled to no one in particular. She sat up quickly in her bed and felt a pounding headache crawling into her skull. She closed her eyes and brought her hand to her forehead. She looked around her room and saw that it was in complete disarray from where she changed into her pajamas. She remembered Lily coming over and then drinking some wine. Oh shit. She had a hangover. And she was going to see Nick today. She got up quickly and took a quick shower. Already feeling a little better, she was reassured to see that the clock only read 8:47 am by the time she was out.

Her flight wasn’t leaving until 11:00, so she had about 45 minutes to get ready and get down to the O’Hare airport. She threw on her favorite pair of jeans and a white long sleeved shirt and layered it with a yellow polo. She put on her tan Uggs and pulled her hair up into a ponytail. Doing a little bit of makeup, she called the cab company to take her to the airport. The man helped her with her bags and she threw on her winter coat and headed to that airport.

She sat there waiting for her flight to be called and realized that she had to go to the bathroom. She looked at her watch and saw that it read 10:45 and thought to herself, “They’ll be boarding soon. But damn, I really have to pee.” She had already had 3 cups of coffee in an attempt to wake herself up; however, it didn’t help with the monstrous headache she was feeling.

She ran to the bathroom and to her surprise there was a line. She began tapping her foot in agitation and hoped that it would hurry the line along some. As soon as she had the opportunity to get into the stall, she hurried herself up and ran back to her terminal. They were doing their last call for boarding and Lucky got to her seat just in time for the flight attendants to call for seat belts. She breathed a sigh of relief, hoping that this was going to be an easy flight. Taking out her iPod and a magazine, she settled in for the flight.

*****


“Alright man, well have a great Christmas with Leigh and Baylee. I hope he enjoys the mini motorcycle I bought him. Hopefully Leigh will let him ride it.” Nick laughed along with Brian.

“Yeah, thanks for calling Nick. I was glad to hear from you. I’ll pass the well wishes onto Leighanne and Bay. I’m sure they’ll be glad to hear from you too.” Brian said and the two men hung up the phone.

Nick sighed and sat down on his couch. “How pathetic am I?” He asked aloud, to no one in particular. He looked over at the curtain covered windows and thought about how much he and his life had changed since Lucky had left, four months earlier.

He had really cleaned up his act, in hopes that Lucky would return. He had taught himself to cook a few simple meals, and he really decreased his time going out. It just didn’t feel right anymore. He had been going to the gym and getting back in shape, his life finally felt like it was on the right path. But something was missing. And he knew that that something wasn’t just a something, but a someone: Lucky.

He looked at the clock and saw that it was nearing 5:30, his normal dinnertime. He felt a sudden urge to call Lucky again and wish her a real Merry Christmas, but decided against it. She could call him too; this didn’t have to be a one-way thing. He was so frustrated with the way their relationship was left floating in midair when she left him. He thought back to that day and her note frequently. Sure, they had kept in touch enough to not lose contact with each other, but a five minute phone call every three days or so wasn’t enough for Nick. He wished that he had been given the chance to tell her that he had started to fall in love with her before she left.

He went around the kitchen counter and pulled open a few cabinets and his refrigerator. He pulled out a pan and started to heat up the stove top. He found a hamburger patty and threw it on the heating pan. He also grabbed some lettuce, a tomato, and some ranch dressing. Tossing together a salad, he waited until his hamburger was done, then poured himself some milk and sat on his couch.

Turning on the television and finally settling on a football game, he started to eat his dinner in an aggravated peace. Paying close attention, he didn’t hear the door open until he heard a familiar voice, “I didn’t think you liked football much.”

He turned around and blinked his eyes a few times before realizing that his eyes were not deceiving him. Lucky was really standing in the foyer of his penthouse, taking off her coat and putting it on the hanger by the door. She walked closer to him and said, “Well, aren’t you at least going to wish me a Merry Christmas?”

“What are you doing here?” Nick asked and rose off of the couch.

“Not the welcome I was expecting, but at least it’s not the silent treatment.” Lucky said and attempted to smile. She took a few cautious steps closer to him and smiled wider. “I’m here because I’m home. Is that ok with you?”

“Why now? Why today? Why not earlier?” Nick asked, suddenly growing angry at her, in spite of the happiness his heart felt.

“Well, at least I’m here, right? Can’t we talk about this later?” Lucky asked and closed the gap between herself and Nick by wrapping her arms around him.

Nick pried her arms off of him and just looked at her blankly. “No. I can’t believe this. I can’t believe this at all.” Angrily, he stormed off to his room, with Lucky in tow. He got there before she did and he slammed his door, and then Lucky heard the distinct sound of him locking her out of his life.

She took in a deep breath and sighed, ready and willing to negotiate with him to at least unlock the door. “Nick, please open the door. How are we supposed to talk if you’re in there and I’m out here?”

“Maybe I don’t want to talk to you. Thanks for coming, really, but you can go back to Chicago now.” Nick said bitterly from the other side of the door.

“I’m back for you! I’m here! Merry Christmas!” Lucky tried pleading with him.

“No. Lucky, I can’t just let you walk back into my life just because you want to. Why did you leave in the first place?” Nick asked, torn with emotions.

“Didn’t you get my note? My dad lost his job and I needed to get back and help my family.” Lucky explained. “Surely, you can understand the meaning of family.”

“Yeah, but at least give me a few days with you before you just pack up your bags and leave. You know, we were supposed to go on our first DATE!” Nick yelled through the door.

“Listen Nick, I am not going to stand here and fight with you through this door. Either you grow up and open the damned door, or I’m just going to leave you alone.” Lucky said, and when she didn’t hear any movement from the inside of his room, she sighed and went to gather her bags.

She moved them into her room and slammed the door. Frustrated, she began unpacking her clothes to their familiar drawers and the closet. She looked at the picture on her dresser of her and Nick at the Charity Ball. The only picture they had together. That night was filled with mixed emotions. It was then that she realized that she wanted to be with Nick, but he was showing no signs of interest, so when Hunter came, she took what she could get. Little did he know that she thought of Nick every time they were together.

After about three hours of unpacking and trying to nap, Lucky heard Nick’s door open and a commotion in the living room. “Damnit, my burger is cold!” Lucky heard Nick bite out. She laughed to herself and then she heard the beeping of the microwave. He must have seen her bags missing because he suddenly started calling for her, in a desperate and panicked voice.

“Lucky! Lucky!” Nick called out for her. Lucky heard Nick searching all of the rooms and finally stopped at her door. Lucky decided to stay in bed until he knocked and without waiting for an answer, he opened the door. “Oh thank you God!”

“What? Did you really think that you locking me out would make me go home?” Lucky asked and laughed nervously. “Boy, this sure is a role reversal.” Lucky observed as Nick walked over to her bed and sat down on the corner.

“Lucky, there are some things I need to tell you.” Nick said seriously, ignoring her lighthearted quip. “First and foremost, you have to understand that just because you walked back in here, doesn’t mean it’s going to be like right before you left.”

“Oh, so I have to go back to the silent treatment and being ignored? I did it for the first 3 months I was here, I think I can handle it if necessary.” Lucky shot back, ready to meet Nick challenge for challenge.

“No, that’s not what I meant. I just, Lucky, I can’t go back to liking you. Your absence has changed a lot of things about me.” Nick said and hung his head.

“You look amazing Nick. I meant to tell you that, but we were kinda on yelling terms, not speaking terms.” Lucky said in all sincerity and laid back on her pillows.

“Can you please not do that? You look gorgeous and inviting sitting like that and I’m trying with all of my might to be mad at you right now.” Nick said and looked away from her.

“Nick, you don’t want to be mad at me. I’m sorry that I left so suddenly, it killed me having to do it. I didn’t want to leave you, especially knowing that we were supposed to be going on a date. That Friday night, I did nothing but mope. I wanted to call you, but then I knew that my heart would be dying if I did.” Lucky said and looked up at him through wet eyelashes.

Oh no. She had been crying. Just what Nick needed. He tried with all of his might to fight back the happiness in his heart, but when he saw her laying there in such a vulnerable state, he just couldn’t handle it anymore. He leaned down and filled up the spot next to her, lying down as well.

His hand rose involuntarily and began to play with her longer strands of hair. She smiled to herself at the tenderness of the moment and then looked over at Nick. He smiled at her and said, “Let’s go finish what I started. Dinner.” Lucky laughed and took Nick’s hand as he pulled her up from the bed.

They both went into the kitchen and Nick threw out his twice cooked hamburger. He looked around the kitchen just as Lucky pulled out a box of Kraft macaroni and cheese. She smiled and went to work making their Christmas dinner.
Chapter 10 by Erica
March 16, 2006

Lucky stood in the wings of Madison Square Garden and watched as the Boys finally finished their Spring Tour. She breathed a sigh of relief as they bowed for the fourth time and the lights finally turned off long enough for them to run off stage. Nick grabbed her for a quick and sweaty hug and then ran to the showers. When the House lights came on and the arena was empty, Lucky walked onto the stage and savored the silence.

She smiled to herself as she thought about the past three months. Hers and Nick’s relationship had slowly begun to develop and she was getting closer to the reason she was in New York in the first place. She sat down at the edge of the stage and her thoughts were broken by a male voice.

“Hey Lucky, you coming to the wrap party tomorrow?” Lucky looked up and saw Jesse, the drummer of the Backstreet Band.

She smiled at him and said, “Of course I’ll be there. Will you?”

“Yeah, I’ll be there. Well, this was a good tour. Good seeing you around!” Jesse said as he exited the stage, after picking up a set of drumsticks.

Lucky got up from the stage and wiped off the back of her jeans and put her hands into the front pocket of her Backstreet Boys hoodie. She smiled at the empty arena and went backstage, just as Nick emerged from his dressing room. He grabbed her hand and they walked out to an awaiting car and cuddled the entire ride back to Nick’s apartment.

The drive was a lot shorter than either of them wanted and they slowly walked through the doors of Nick’s building and Lucky placed her head on Nick’s shoulder once they get inside the elevator. As she yawned, Nick looked at her and said, “You are tired tonight!” He kissed the top of her head, and she smiled with closed eyes.

Once they arrived in Nick’s foyer, Nick walked Lucky over to the plush couch and she sank into it, falling asleep almost immediately. He walked into his room and pushed play on the answering machine. Hearing Aaron’s voice over the speaker, Nick stopped to run his hand through his hair and yell “Shit!”

As Lucky was just about to fall asleep, Nick’s yell filled her head and woke her up. She got up from the couch and walked into his room to see him pacing frantically. “Nick, what’s wrong?”

“I completely forgot that Aaron, Angel, and Leslie are coming into town tonight!” Nick said, still pacing. “They’re coming in for the wrap party tomorrow night. Damn it! I completely forgot.”

“Well, what’s the problem?” Lucky asked, groggily, putting her hand on Nick’s shoulder, trying to calm him down.

“Well, I can’t just leave them to themselves in New York City tonight! Ugh, I’ll put them up in a hotel and stay with them there.” Nick said, and went into his closet to find a duffle bag.

“Why don’t they just stay here with us?” Lucky offered.

“There’s not enough room. They each need their own room, and I only have two spares.” Nick said. He emerged from his closet and sat down on his bed. He put his head in his hands and let out a frustrated sigh.

“Well, I can stay at a hotel tonight then. One of the girls can take my room.” Lucky said, hoping that Nick would ask her to stay with him, in his bed.

“You would do that? Oh Lucky, you’re wonderful! You always solve my problems.” Nick said and hugged her tightly. He placed a light kiss on her forehead and handed her the duffle bag. “I hope you don’t mind. I’ll call the hotel and book you a room and have James drive you over and drop you off.”

“Um, ok. I’ll go pack right now. Should I bring my dress for tomorrow night, too?” Lucky asked and Nick said, “Yeah, you might as well.” He walked out of the room and Lucky retreated to her own side of the penthouse. She began packing and looked around her room. Suddenly, it felt empty and she felt alone. A single tear dropped down her cheek onto the t-shirt she was packing.

She looked up and saw Nick standing in the doorway. “You ready?” He asked and took her bag. She nodded silently and looked at her watch. It read 11:18 p.m. She couldn’t believe that she was leaving her own comfortable room this late, and Nick hadn’t even asked her to stay.

He hugged her goodbye at the elevator and she closed her eyes and leaned against the cool metal wall. Once she arrived downstairs, she mindlessly walked outside and handed James her bag and climbed into the car. She looked out the windows on the trip to the Rihga Royal. It’s a good thing Nick put her up in a good hotel, she thought to herself. If she was in some kind of the Holiday Inn, she was going to be beyond pissed.

When she pulled up, she let herself out of the car and took her bags with her. She walked up to the front desk and checked herself in. After making her way up to the room, she saw that, while it was beautiful, it felt empty and she felt extremely lonely. She put her bags down on the couch and dug out her pajamas. After changing, she crawled into bed and looked over at the clock on the stand next to her. It read 12:02 a.m.

“Happy Birthday to me.” Lucky said to no one in particular. She rolled over, and cried herself to sleep.

The next morning, Lucky woke up and the events of the night before played through her mind. She looked around the room to find that it was in the same state as she had left it when she had fallen asleep.

Rolling over, she grabbed the phone on the bed stand next to her and dialed the front desk to be transferred to room service. She ordered a huge breakfast and smiled as she placed the phone back in its cradle. “I guess today won’t be so bad.”

After her breakfast arrived, Lucky wrapped herself in a hotel-provided terry cloth robe and sat in front of the flat screen television the living area of her suite. She turned on Live! With Regis and Kelly and watched their morning banter.

After the morning talk show, Lucky decided to spend some extra time tanning by the pool so that she would look especially tan in her dress later that evening. She changed into her bathing suit and cover-up, grabbed a towel and put on her flip-flops. She went down to the mini store near the lobby and picked up the newest issue of Cosmo and made her way to the pool deck.

After searching for a secluded area, she sat down, opened the magazine and set the alarm clock on her phone for 30 minutes. She looked at her phone and saw that there were zero service bars in the left hand corner of her phone. “Well, at least I’ll have this time to myself if there’s no service out here.” Lucky said to herself aloud and put the phone on the ground next to her chair.

After her time was up, she rolled over onto her stomach and set her phone again. She repeated this cycle 2 more times and by the time she was reaching three hours at the pool, she was lying on her stomach and heard a low whistle. She smiled, hoping it was Nick.

Then she heard an unfamiliar male voice say, “Ooh baby! I'm a love pirate and I'm here for your booty! ARGH!” Knowing that there was no chance in hell that Nick would talk to her like that, she turned over and looked up to see a tall, gangly boy who looked to be about 18 years old, standing at the edge of her lounge chair.

“Excuse me?!” Lucky asked, half laughing and half serious.

“You heard me baby! You’re hott!” The boy said.

“How old ARE you?! You can’t be older than 18.” Lucky pointed out.

“Yeah baby. Right bold age too. You know, I’m at the height of my sexual peak. I’m pretty sure I could please you!” The boy said and Lucky just looked at him and laughed.

“I’m pretty sure you’re wrong, but nice try.” Lucky said, trying to go back to her tanning position. With her back to him, she heard the poor kid say, “So that’s it? You’re not even going to give me a chance?”

“Are you kidding me? With a pick up line like that, you’d be lucky if a blow-up doll gave you a chance. But, you’ve got guts kid, I’ll give you that.” Lucky said and turned over, giving up her hopes of finishing this tanning session. The boy sat down in the chair next to her and stuck out his hand.

“Thanks. The name’s Fisher, Kenny Fisher.” He said, introducing himself. Lucky shook his hand and introduced herself also.

“So Lucky, you’re sure I can’t get lucky tonight?” Kenny asked her.

“Yeah, I’m sure. You know how I know? Because my boyfriend’s the one that’ll be getting lucky tonight, if you know what I mean.” She said and gathered up her stuff. She walked away, shaking her head in both amusement and confusion.

She laughed at Kenny’s balls, but was confused because she wasn’t really sure at all where she stood with Nick. All night she dreamt about asking him what they were and what they meant to each other. He could have just asked her to stay with him last night. That’s all he had to do. She’d met his brother and sisters before, it’s not like she was some tramp off of the street.

Lucky got up to her room and heard her stomach growling to be fed. She went to the phone to order room service and saw that the message light was flashing. She dialed the message service and heard Nick’s voice come over the ear piece.

“Hey Lucky, it’s Nick. Um, I’m just calling to see how you’re doing today. Sorry about last night, making you pack up and leave in the middle of the night like that. I should just trust my family. Anyway, speaking of them, they’re driving me nuts and I miss you. I’m so sorry, please call me back.” His voice sounded pathetic and sad, and Lucky felt bad for him, but only for a second.

The next message was also from Nick. “Lucky, it’s Nick again. I’m just wondering where you are and why you haven’t called me back. I’ve tried your cell a few times and haven’t been able to get through. I hope everything’s ok. Call me.”

And of course, there was yet another message. And yes, it too was from Nick. “Lucky, listen. I’m really, really sorry about last night. I don’t know how else to say it, or to tell you, but I feel really bad about how I acted. I hope you’re not mad at me, and if you’re ignoring me, I guess I deserve it. But please call me back when you get this.”

Lucky erased the messages and looked at the phone. She picked it up and decided to continue ignoring Nick and dialed down to room service. She smiled at herself because she couldn’t wait to see the look on his face when she walked into the ballroom later that night, looking better than she ever had before.

*****


A few hours later, Nick was moping on his couch back at home. He picked up his cell phone and dialed Lucky’s hotel and asked for her room number for the fourth time that day. He heard the familiar ring and the automated voice mail pick up. He decided not to sound too desperate and leave yet another message.

He hung up the phone and with an exasperated sigh he threw it at the lazy chair directly across from him. Just as he put his hands in his face, Leslie walked into the living room and sat down in the chair. She picked up his phone and tossed it back to him.

“Still not answering?” his sister asked, knowingly.

“I know she’s so mad at me, but I can’t figure out what for.” Nick said and rubbed his temples lightly with his fingertips.

“Well, let me ask you something. Where do you guys stand? I mean, are you official or just dating or friends with benefits, or what?” Leslie asked and Aaron came into the room and sat down next to him on the couch. He picked up the remote and turned on the TV, flipping the channel to Sports Center.

“I honestly don’t know. That’s why I’m so confused!” He said, growing more and more frustrated.

“Well, if you don’t know, then she probably doesn’t either.” Leslie offered. “Aaron, can you turn that damn thing off? Nick and I are having a conversation!”

“Geez Les, do you have PMS or something? God!” Aaron turned off the TV and threw the remote on the table, almost mimicking his brother’s earlier actions. He got up from his seat and ventured into the kitchen. He opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of water and sat down at the counter bordering the kitchen and the living room. “What’s your problem Nick? Maybe I can help.”

“Yeah right Aaron, we’re dealing with adult problems here.” Leslie said, completely blowing off her younger sibling.

“Um, in case you have forgotten, I’ve been in some pretty adult situations. I was dating Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff at the same time, my car blew up on the side of I-95, and I went through our parent’s divorce. Don’t tell me I’m not an adult Leslie.” Aaron said in his own defense.

“I guess you’ve grown up a lot since we all spent time together last.” Nick conceded and looked back at Leslie, giving her the eye to agree with him.

“Yeah, I guess.” She shrugged. “Whatever, you can listen to our conversation and see if you can offer us some help.”

“Well, what’s the problem? Nick wants to know what’s going on with Lucky?” Aaron asked.

“Yeah. I’ve tried calling her all afternoon and she hasn’t called me back and I’m starting to get worried.” Nick said and looked at his phone, praying that it would ring.

“What are you worried about? The fact that she’s mad at you, or the idea that maybe she’s met some other guy who is going to take your spot.” Aaron asked, taking a sip of his water, deliberately planting the seed in his brother’s mind.

Nick shot him the meanest glare he could conjure up and tried to wrap the idea around his brain.

“Well, do you know what you did? I mean, other than kicking her out of her own apartment at midnight last night. And have you mentioned in any of your messages that it’s her birthday?” Leslie asked.

“Umm, no. But I don’t want to make her feel even worse knowing that I basically asked her to leave right before her birthday.” Nick said and put his head in his hands.

“Nick, you are such a douche-bag. Why did you kick her out?” Aaron asked.

“I didn’t kick her out; she offered to stay at a hotel.” Nick said, feeling worse and worse.

“But why did she even feel like I she needed to leave? Was it because of us?” Aaron asked.

“Yeah, I told her I was gonna get a hotel for you guys and stay with you there. But then she offered to go, so I gave her my duffle bag and she packed up to go.” Nick said, feeling like a complete and total jackass for his earlier decisions.

“You are such a dumbass.” Leslie offered and threw her hands up in the air. “Please tell me that’s not really how it happened. Nick, I can’t believe you didn’t ask her to stay.”

“What was I supposed to do? There wouldn’t have been enough room for all of you if she stayed in her room.” Nick said, trying to make sense of everything.

“No, but there would have been enough room for her if she had stayed with YOU! Geez Nick, you really ARE an idiot!” Aaron said and finished off his water bottle. He aimed at the garbage can on the other side of the kitchen and expertly sank the bottle like a basketball.

“I couldn’t have asked her to stay with me. She probably would have thought I wanted something.” Nick said and continued to feel dumber and dumber. He couldn’t believe his baby brother was actually making more sense than he was in this situation.

“Oh, you mean like a relationship? I thought that’s what you wanted Nick! You are so confused because you don’t know what you are, yet you don’t do anything about it. You really represent the male species in the best of lights.” Leslie said and looked at her watch. “Look, it’s time to get ready for the party, so Nick, I hope you think long and hard about what you’re going to do when you see Lucky tonight. And it had better be good.”

She got up to start getting ready for the event and left the two brothers to sit in the thick silence and leaving them to think about the night ahead of them.

*****


Meanwhile, Lucky was in her rented hotel room and heard her phone ringing. She instinctively knew that it was Nick and decided not to answer. Just as the phone stopped ringing, she heard a knock at her door. She got up to answer it, looked through the peephole and saw that it was her friend and BSB tour hairstylist Ashley Carson standing on the other side with a cart of hair products.

She opened the door and embraced the other girl while she moved into her room. Ashley smiled at Lucky and said, “Let’s get to work girl!! You’ve got a party to look fabulous for!”

*****


Nick walked into the ballroom at the Righa Royal hotel and saw that it had been beautifully decorated, yet he couldn’t help to see that it felt dim and lonely. He missed having Lucky on his arm. Hell, he missed having her in the same room with her. It took him everything he had not to go down to her room and see her. His siblings followed him in and they all took their seats. Nick looked to his left and saw that Lucky’s name was printed in gold on her place setting. He sighed at the empty feeling in his chest.

About 30 minutes later, the rest of the Boys and the Band members had all arrived and taken their places. Nick smiled as he saw the “Happy Birthday Lucky” banner hanging over the table where everyone had placed their gifts. He hoped she would be surprised when she found out that he had helped to turn the wrap party into a surprise birthday party for her too.

The entrance music began to play and when someone let out a low wolf call whistle, Nick turned his attention to the direction of the attraction. He drank in the sight before him and blinked a couple of times to keep his eyes from watering up. Lucky had just arrived.

She walked into the room and her face lit up as she saw the banner and the table of gifts and all of the people there for her. She looked absolutely amazing in a navy blue silk strapless, empire-waist dress. The bodice was decorated with carefully placed rhinestones and she was wearing hanging diamond earrings, and simple diamond choker and a thin diamond bracelet on her left wrist.

Her fiery red hair was carefully pulled up out of her face with only a few strands hanging down. Nick immediately knew that Ashley was responsible for her hair and he made a mental note to thank her later. She entered the room gracefully and smiled at everyone who was staring at her, even stopping to hug a few of them.

Making her way to the table, she said hello to Aaron, Leslie, and Angel and put down her handbag. She grabbed her camera out of it and disappeared without a word to Nick.

Greeting many of the people in the room, and stopping to take pictures of them or with them, Nick watched in envy as she worked the room like a pro. He found himself watching the familiar scene play out before him when Lucky graciously said hello to Hunter and continued to have conversations with other people.

He ordered a glass of water from the waiter and ran his fingers over the cool condensation when the sound of Lucky’s infectious laughter interrupted his thoughts. He turned around to see Lucky sitting at Jesse Black’s table. She had her hand on his forearm in an intimate gesture and his was on her knee. It took Nick every ounce of self restraint to sit there and watch her act in such a way with a man that wasn’t him.

He watched as they laughed and took pictures together, making faces at the camera and smiling like they were together. She called Kevin over and had him and Jesse take a couple of pictures together and she hugged Kevin and Jesse before leaving and returning to the table.

Nick looked up and attempted to smile at her. He looked into her piercing green eyes and wondered what he ever did to deserve her giving him the time of day in the first place. “You look beautiful tonight Lucky,” he managed to say.

“Thank you.” She said and blushed. She took her seat next to him and turned to face him. “I’m glad to see you’re not drinking.”

“You know I quit that a while ago. Listen, I tried calling you all day today.” Nick said, hoping that would open the lines of communication.

“Yeah, I know.” Lucky said and looked up as a waiter brought her a water as well. “I just don’t get it Nick.”

“Lucky, I am so sorry baby.” Nick said, and tried to reach for her hand.

“Baby?! Baby?! You have the nerve to call me baby after last night?” Lucky asked in a low tone so only the two of them could hear her. In one smooth motion she was out of her chair and making her way to the lobby.

Nick stood up to go after her and Aaron placed his hand on his brother’s shoulder. “Nick, listen to me. Go out that and apologize profusely. Tell her what you want from the relationship and admit to making the mistake. Tell her you were scared to make that step because you didn’t know if that’s what SHE wanted. But also let her talk. Go and be the good, caring guy I know you can be sometimes.”

Nick looked at his brother and smiled at him for the vote of confidence. Making his way towards the doors to the lobby, Nick heard Lucky’s indignant voice with another male voice.

“Jesse, please just leave me alone.” Lucky said as she tried to shrug off Jesse’s unwanted affection.

“Lucky, you were acting differently in there. You know you want me.” Jesse said and stepped forward again, this time pulling Lucky to his body. Lucky placed her arms on his torso and tried to push.

“Jesse, let me go. Please, I’m asking you again, leave me ALONE.” At the second act of desperation, Nick decided to make his presence known.

“Let her go Black. She’s asked you twice now. Leave her alone.” Nick said, pulling Lucky into the safety of his arms. He felt so complete with her there and thought that he never wanted her anywhere else.

“She doesn’t want to be with you either asshole. Now that the tour’s over, I don’t have to deal with you and your drama shit. I’m out of here.” Jesse said and left the hotel completely.

Lucky moved out of Nick’s reach and looked down at the ground. “Thank you.” She said quietly and blushed both in embarrassment and relief.

“Lucky, I’d do anything to protect you.” Nick said and reached for her hand. He laced their fingers together and pulled her chin up so that her eyes were looking into his. “I am so, so very sorry for how I acted last night. I didn’t ask you to stay with me because I didn’t know if that would make you think I expected something. I didn’t know what you wanted from me. I’m so sorry and I never want to let you go again. Please, please accept this as my apology and my invitation for you to stay with me, and I mean, WITH me tonight.”

Lucky snuggled against his body, leaning her head on his chest and heard the solid beating of his heart. She smiled as she finally heard exactly the words she wanted to hear. She hugged him tightly and then pulled away, but keeping their fingers interlocked.

“I accept. I accept one hundred times over.” Lucky said and reached up and kissed his lips softly, yet passionately.

“So this means we’re a couple? We’re official?” Nick said and smiled the largest and truest smile Lucky had seen in a while.

“Yes, but Nick, there’s something I need to tell you …” Lucky trailed off.
Chapter 11 by Erica
Author's Notes:
Hello everyone! Hope you enjoy this new chapter! Sexual Content within. Please leave feedback! :-)
Nick’s heart began to beat faster as he awaited Lucky’s next words. A million thoughts crossed his mind as he waited her for to finish her sentence.

“Nick, I have to tell you. I never liked Jesse. I was only flirting with him to make you jealous. I was so hurt by what happened last night; I figured I’d just get back at you by making you sweat a little. It was childish and immature of me. I’m sorry.” She said, using her best puppy-dog face to entice him into accepting her apology.

Nick let go of the breath he was unaware he was holding and pulled her into his arms, using his hand to pull her head to his chest. He began breathing regularly again and kissed the top of her head. “Of course I accept your apology. I guess I deserved it. I’m sorry too.”

She pulled away from him only to look up into his eyes and kiss him so softly it felt as if a butterfly was fluttering across his lips. The kiss was soft, yet spoke volumes of the passion flowing between the two. She slid her fingers into his and applied a little pressure, silently acknowledging how happy she was to be with him.

The two re-entered the room just in time for them to see a tiered cake being wheeled to Lucky and Nick’s table. It was alight with twenty-seven candles. Twenty-six of them were for her years and one was for good luck. She laughed as she heard an extremely exaggerated poor rendition of “Happy Birthday” and blew out her candles. She wished the same wish she’d had since her twelfth birthday. She wished for happiness.

She smiled at Nick after blowing out the candles and saw him wink at her. The cake was whisked away and cut up for all of the guests to enjoy and everyone returned to their seats. The cake was served and all of the guests talked quietly among themselves.

About an hour after the cake had been served, the DJ really began to crank up the music. Lucky laughed as she watched everyone get down on the dance floor. When the DJ played “Hey Mr. DJ”, she watched as Kevin looked at all of the Boys and they broke out into the routine that came so naturally.

Lucky laughed along with the Backstreet women and smiled at the thoughts of her new found family. Once the song was over, the familiar chords of Lonestar’s “Amazed” came over the speakers, and Lucky saw Nick walking up to her.

He looked stunning in his white dress shirt, with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He had loosened his black tie and unbuttoned the top two buttons of the shirt. His hair was tossed over to the side and the truest smile Lucky had ever seen crossed his lips.

He slowly approached her and offered his hand to her. She placed hers in his and he pulled her into his arms. He placed her arms around his neck and pulled her body close to his and she rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. Without realizing it, they ended up in the middle of the dance floor.

Nick began to sing the words softly in her ear, and Lucky opened her eyes to look up at him to realize that everyone had left the floor. Everyone was watching Nick and Lucky with endearing gazes and Lucky could feel the deep pink blush warming her cheeks.

“Nick…” Lucky said, growing slightly embarrassed.

“Shh, I know. Just dance with me.” Nick said and easily pulled her head back to his shoulder. He continued to sing softly in her ear and she finally just closed her eyes and did as he asked.

Once the song ended, Nick and Lucky stood on the floor still and silently. Lucky smiled to herself as Nick placed a sweet kiss on her forehead and then she heard some cheering. She looked up to see Aaron and the rest of the Carter siblings cheering and clapping, getting the rest of the crowd to join in.

Lucky didn’t know what to do other than curtsy and laugh. She looked at Nick and smiled straight into his heart.

About an hour later, the party was winding down and Lucky was standing at the exit and thinking everyone for coming. She stared at the mountain called a table filled with gifts from her friends, loved ones, and co-workers. She stared at it wide-eyed as she and the Carter clan were the only ones left.

“How am I going to open all of these and thank every single person? Hell, how am I going to get them all out of here?” Lucky asked as Nick strode up beside her, placing his arms arm her waist.

“Don’t worry, the hotel will take care of it. Are you ready to get out of here?” Nick asked and placed a seductive kiss on the side of Lucky’s neck.

“Nick! Not in front of your brother and sisters!” Lucky said and playfully smacked his hand. “Where are they staying tonight?”

“In the apartment. And you and I are going to spend the night in your hotel room.” Nick said, standing in front of her wiggling his eyebrows up and down.

“Oh really? You’re going to trust them in this city?” She asked, mocking his words from the night before.

“I trust them, but I don’t trust us all alone in a beautiful room with the cityscape in the background. Do you?” Nick asked and leaned in to kiss her passionately, without waiting for her answer.

“No, not at all. And I like it.” She said and pulled him by his tie towards the door where his family was waiting.

Nick tossed the apartment keys to Aaron and gave them instructions not to mess up the rooms. He also gave them a quick speech about being responsible and to take a guard with them if they felt the urge to leave and go out.

After parting ways, Nick looked at Lucky and pulled her as fast as he could to the elevator. Once inside, he pushed her up against the cool metal wall and began kissing her lips first and then began trailing down the side of her neck.

She let out a grateful groan and leaned her head back and closed her eyes. Just then, they heard the sound of the elevator bell and the sound of a clearing throat. Nick looked at Lucky and then at the awaiting couple and just gave them a knowing smile.

Nick pulled Lucky down the hall to her room. He fumbled with the key, but eventually they made their way into the large suite. Lucky breathed in a surprised gasp as she looked around to see the room alit with candles. The drapes covering the ceiling to floor length windows had been thrown back and the New York City skyline was the background to their passionate venture.

She turned to look at Nick and he was smiling at her. “Do you like it?”

“I absolutely love it. I’m just … speechless.” Lucky said and Nick walked towards her.

“That’s ok, because our next activity won’t require speech, it’s completely optional.” Nick said. He walked over to where Lucky stood and cradled her face in his hands. He looked deep into her eyes before closing his own and planting a telling kiss on her lips. It told of passion, enthusiasm, sex, and many more unspoken emotions.

In a bold and daring move, Nick moved his hands from her face so that he was now cradling her body and surprised Lucky by literally sweeping her off of her feet and walking over to the bed. He threw down the comforter and laid her down. She laid back and Nick crawled up beside her. He lightly touched her face with his fingers and she closed her eyes in anticipation. Kissing her deeply, he moved so his body was hovering slightly over hers. His hands never left her face and she brought hers up to captured his wrists. She kissed him back and moved her hands up his arms to his tie. She expertly maneuvered it from around his neck and moved down to the buttons in his dress shirt.

“Lucky, wait.” Nick’s voice broke the silence and their craze.

“What? Is everything ok? Did I do something wrong?” She asked, her cheeks flushed a healthy pink.

“Yes, I mean, no. Everything’s great. I just want to make sure that you’re one hundred percent positive about this.” Nick said and Lucky was touched by this intimate and caring concern. If she hadn’t already, she would have fallen in love with him at that instant. She smiled at him and opened her eyes wide.

“I’ve never been more positive about anything in my entire life. Now get back here.” She said and pulled his body back over hers. She welcomed the weight and pressure he applied as he moved his hands to the side of her dress where he quickly found a zipper.

He pulled it down slowly and then pulled the dress down to her waist. They broke their kiss long enough for Nick to savor the sight before his eyes. Lucky’s breasts were shaped perfectly for him and he brought his hands up to express just that. Lucky arched her back into his touch and bit out a throaty moan. Nick smiled at her beauty and returned to kissing her.

Squirming with excitement, she unbuttoned his shirt and threw it off of him, his undershirt quickly following. She pulled his now naked top to hers and felt for the first time their bare skin. Overcome with awareness and sexual intensity, Lucky all but came just from the simple contact of their skin. She groaned loudly and he plunged his tongue into her mouth, widely sweeping it and gathering her taste on his tongue.

As Nick broke contact, Lucky tried to protest only to moan in pleasure as Nick took one of her hardened peaks in his mouth, and expertly moved his hand over the other. The slight twisting of her already hard nipples made the spot between her legs grow excruciatingly hot and increasingly wet. Once again arching her body into his, silently screaming for more, Lucky realized that Nick pulled emotions and sensual feelings from her that she wasn’t aware she was capable of.

He left her breasts and made a trail of kisses down her stomach, the cool air hitting her skin and making her more and more turned on. Once Nick reached her hips, he pulled off the rest of her dress and marveled at the sight before him. Lucky was wearing only a pair of dark blue lacy boy-cut underwear. Nick looked up at her and put a finger on its lacy edge.

“Not … fair.” She managed to breathe out. And without waiting any longer, she flipped from under him and worked her way down to his belt buckle. She expertly removed both the belt and his pants in one swift motion. “There. Even playing field.” Lucky said as she cautiously slipped her hand under Nick’s plain boxer-briefs.

It was Nick’s turn to express his sexual frustration as Lucky carefully touched his entire length with butterfly like touches. If possible, he grew harder beneath her touch and begged to be let free. He placed his hand along Lucky’s and drew it out, only to have her push down his underwear, along with her own.

She moved so that he was now lying on his back. He looked at her through dilated pupils and surprise crossed his face. She instructed him to lay back and fold his arms behind his head. He wasn’t allowed to touch or help her. He audibly swallowed and closed his eyes, awaiting her next move.

As she watched Nick close his eyes, Lucky thought to herself, “Thank God. Now he won’t see if I mess up.” She began at his mouth and kissed her way down his body. But instead of going quickly, she moved slower than a snail’s pace. She wanted to make sure that she drew every last teasing bit of sex from him, until he was close enough to orgasm, but not until he was in her mouth.

She kissed along the center line of his stomach and when she reached his bellybutton, she dipped her tongue in and Nick gave his hips a little jerk, begging her to find her way to him. She felt his hard erection pushing against her stomach and it took everything she had not to abandon her mission and pull him inside of her.

Finally, she kissed around his pelvic area and watched him grow harder. She finally decided that it was time to end his torture, or maybe it was just going to begin. She placed one painted fingertip at the base of his penis and carefully moved it upward to its wet tip. She replaced her finger with her tongue and recreated her earlier movements.

She was about to take him in her mouth when she heard Nick mumbling. She looked up, hoping to hear him better, and saw that he was saying, “Oh fuck, oh fuck.” Smiling to herself, she pulled his entire length into her mouth. Nick moaned in happiness and his hands went from behind his head to grabbing the sheets on the bed. He pulsated in her mouth, just seconds away from explosion, when she pulled away.

“What the … wait, Lucky, what?” Nick asked, eyes still closed. She kissed the tip of his nose and then returned to her venture. Once again she pulled him into her mouth, creating a rhythm with her tongue, teeth and mouth. It took only seconds before Nick came in her mouth. This emotional and intimate time was something that Lucky was experiencing for the first, true time with someone she knew loved her.

Moving away from Nick, she rested her hand on his heart, hoping it would slow his heart beat soon. “Baby, are you ok?” She asked and curled her body next to his. “I hope that was good for you.”

Nick looked at her to see that she had lowered her gaze to somewhere beyond the bed and he tipped her chin up to him. He kissed her full on the mouth with more emotion than he’d ever felt. “That was better than ever, thank you.” He suddenly got jealous of the thought that anyone else had ever received that kind of treatment or pleasure from her. It was unusual for him to think of his partner’s past sex life, considering they were probably better off not knowing his.

Relaxing a little, Lucky said, “That was my first time. I’m glad you kept your eyes closed. I didn’t want you to see me mess up.”

Her innocence shocked Nick. “Well let me tell you honey, that was done like a seasoned pro.” He kissed her forehead and pulled her close. Not wanting their intimate time to be at an end just yet, Nick flipped Lucky on her back and sat back on his heels, hard once again.

Nick eyed Lucky’s gorgeous body and smiled. She seductively sat back on the pillows, sitting up on her elbows. She licked her lips and gave Nick her best come-hither look, which caused them both to laugh and erased any nerves that were between them.

In his mind, it was his turn to torture her and bring her to the edge. Moving to the end of the bed, the picked up one of her long legs and began kissing the bottom of her foot. Moving to the top, he kissed the tip of her big toe and then made a path up her leg. Once he reached her thigh, he made little nipping actions with his teeth, and tickled her with a quick swipe of his tongue on her quivering flesh.

Lucky sighed when she thought he would soon be dipping his tongue into her centered heat. When he moved away and repeated his travel on her other leg, she whimpered in disagreement. However, once Nick reached the top of her leg again, instead of kissing her throbbing heat, the moved her knees slowly apart, exposing her most private and sensuous part of her body and smiled, knowing that it was all for him.

He took one finger and slowly inserted it into her and began to slowly apply pressure. Her eyes flung open and she called out his name. “Oh … my … GOD. Nick, don’t stop … right there … oh … my … GOD.” Nick continued to push into her with his fingers and she was violently bucking her hips, matching his touches. Suddenly, she grabbed his hand and pulled his gaze to hers. She pulled his fingers out and bore into his soul.

“I can’t … take it … anymore. I want you … inside me … when I come … now!” She demanded and let go of his hand.

Not one to disagree, Nick lunged forward and pulled himself on top of her again. They began moving their hands in free motions, touching everything and anything possible. Before Nick went any further, he found the foil package he had dropped on the nightstand before bringing Lucky to the bed.

“Nick, can I do that for you?” Lucky asked quietly, and innocently met his gaze. His mouth dropped open a little as he handed her the condom without saying a word. She unwrapped it and pulled out the latex layer of protection. Sliding to the top of his hard shaft, Lucky concentrated hard on not breaking it and completely sheathing him.

Nick sat back and couldn’t believe the sheer pleasure he was getting from having Lucky put the condom on him. He watched her face and smiled as he watched her tongue poke out slightly from the left side of her well-kissed lips. When Lucky was done, she climbed under him and right before he leaned down to kiss her, she spoke.

“That was my first time doing that. I hope I did it right.” Blushing, she averted her gaze from Nick’s. He smiled at her and said, “Thank you for allowing me to be your first for that. It was my first time having a woman put a condom on me, and let me tell you, I never want to do it myself again.”

He couldn’t keep himself together any longer and he leaned down and kissed her. With his own knees, he spread her thighs again and closed his eyes as he gently pushed his penis into her for the first time. Groaning simultaneously, Lucky began throwing her hips at him, silently begging him to pick up the pace.

“Come on Nicky, don’t play this game. Make … me … yours.” Lucky demanded in a low, throaty voice. Nick had to hold on for dear life to keep from exploding right then. He knew in his mind that he didn’t want this time to be fast and furious, but he needed to help them both out. He picked up his pace, but was careful not to rock her too hard. He wanted her to be able to do this again in the near future.

As they both climbed higher and higher towards paradise, Lucky screamed out Nick’s name and Nick knew that she had just had her first orgasm. Since he wasn’t ready just yet, he was going to bring her over the edge again so they could come together. He backed off just a little bit and when he heard her whimper in protest, he pulled himself all the way out of her warm heat and slammed back into her. This time, he was going to get things going.

After a few more strong and meaningful thrusts, he felt Lucky’s muscles begin to spasm and that caught him off guard, causing him to explode as she too fell over the edge. She pulsed around his thick member for longer than she could ever remember and enjoyed an amazing orgasm.

Nick collapsed on top of her and kissed her forehead. He rolled off of her and disposed of the used condom, smiling at all of the firsts they had just shared. Lucky suddenly moved to the other side of the bed and Nick began to wonder if she was ok with what they had just done.

He reached across the large bed, put his arm around her slim waist and pulled her close to him, the curve of her body fitting like a glove in his. He kissed the back of her neck and then rolled her over so he could see her face.

“Is everything ok baby?” Nick asked and wiped a piece of her bangs off of her damp forehead.

“I can’t even explain how I’m feeling right now Nick. That is the best sex I’ve ever had in my life and it was …” she trailed off.

“It was better than sex, what just happened between us Lucky; that was making love.” Nick said and kissed her lips softly, reassuringly.

She smiled up at him and wrapped her arms tightly around him and murmured a thank you against his bare chest. She wiggled so they were both on their backs with their arms securely around one another.

Before falling asleep, she heard Nick whisper in her ear, “Happy Birthday Lucky.” She smiled and before she knew it, she was drifting off into a peaceful sleep filled with dreams of her and Nick making love, over and over and over again.

*****


Lucky woke up a little later and looked at the clock and saw that it read 4:39 a.m. She smiled and stretched her sore muscles. Nick had rolled away from her at some point in the night and she missed the warmth of his body next to hers.

His naked back was turned to hers, so she took her fingers and slowly traced the middle line, enjoying being in the moment with him, even if he was asleep. She leaned over and kissed his shoulder and then reached her hand around to his front and found that he was hard in his sleep. She smiled and kissed his shoulder again. She cupped his long member and began to stroke it.

“Fuck …” He moaned aloud. “Don’t start something you can’t finish Lucky,” he mumbled quietly.

She leaned up next to his ear, her hand never leaving his penis, “I never do.”

She watched him smile in a sexy “I’m gonna get some” smile and continued to move her hand up and down his shaft. She pulled them away only long enough to lick her fingers and return them to his throbbing member. He sucked in a deep breath as he felt the mixture of wet and cool air hit his already sensitive skin.

Still stroking, she quickened the pace. After only a few more strokes with some extra squeezing, Nick came on her hand. His face was lit with pure pleasure. He was about to hand her a tissue from the nightstand when he saw her licking her fingers.

The sight made him instantly hard again. “Damn baby, do you see what you do to me?” Nick asked as he reached up and touched her face.

She smiled playfully and said, “So, does this mean we’re serious?”

He nodded and pulled her face down to his and then proceeded to show her just how serious they were.

*****


When they both woke up much later that day, Lucky wrapped herself in the sheets of the bed and sat up. Her hair was a mess, her make-up was probably all over her face, but damn did she feel sexy. Nick was the only person she’d ever slept with to make her feel beautiful.

She saw Nick was also awake and staring at her. She smiled and leaned down to kiss him softly. She cuddled up against him and closed her eyes in peace. Something inside of her decided to make a drastic decision at that very moment in time.

Sitting up quickly, she pulled away from Nick and said, “Before this goes any farther, there’s something I have to tell you. I have to be honest with you.”

Nick too sat up and took her hands in his, but she pulled away. His eyes filled with tears that were threatening to fall at any moment. He looked at her, wordlessly asking her to break the news to him.

“I’m not really a Personal Assistant.” She said and boldly held eye contact. His expression was quizzical, but he didn’t say anything, so Lucky continued. “I’m an agent with the FBI.”

Nick’s eyes opened wide and his mouth fell in shock. “You’re a what?!” He jumped off of the bed and pulled on his discarded boxers from the night before. Lucky too stood up and ran to the door, hoping to keep him in the room with her.

“I’m with the FBI. I was sent here to work on a special case.” She said.

“Oh, so you’re just getting close to me to do some work?” Nick asked. His eyes filled with hurt and one of the tears fell down his cheek. He walked over to the window and defensively crossed his arms over his chest.

“Never. The job’s not about you. It has NOTHING to do with you. My supervisor talked to Johnny and he said that you needed a PA, and that was the only in he could find for me without too many people speculating.” Lucky tried to explain. In an instant, she was by Nick’s side at the window.

She pulled his face to hers and stared at him. “I’m investigating Jesse Black for extortion and embezzlement of funds. From Kevin.”

Nick’s gaze again went wide-eyed and surprise replaced the hurt in his eyes. “Jesse? Our drummer? And Kevin? Daddy of the group Kevin? The one that NOTHING bad ever happens to?”

“Yes, Jesse the drummer and yes Daddy Kevin. Have you ever noticed the similarities in their looks?” Lucky asked as she guided Nick by the elbow back to the bed. She pushed him down so they were laying together, hoping the loving feeling would replace his mistrust of her.

“I have, but I never really thought anything of it. Do you guys have any evidence or proof?” Nick asked as he relaxed back in her arms and absently played with a piece of her hair.

“I can’t really give out any details, I could get into major trouble for divulging as much as I have, but I just couldn’t continue to fall in love with you and lie to you about this. Nick, you have to promise me that you won’t mention any of this to Kevin just yet. We’re waiting for the right moment.” Lucky pleaded. Nick kissed the top of her hair.

“Well, to be honest, I knew you couldn’t possibly be a personal assistant. You were awful!” Nick laughed and Lucky too relaxed.

“Hey! I was a secretary for three weeks! That’s the only training I had! And you weren’t that easy to handle mister!” Lucky said, smiling at him, knowing that he wasn’t happy that she had lied, but glad that he took it better than she expected.

“So, you’re falling in love with me, huh?” Nick asked as a beautiful smile crossed his lips.

“Well, about that. No, I’m not falling in love with you. It’s already happened.” She said and blushed, but kept his gaze.

“I can’t believe this. Lucky, I’ve loved you for such a long time. Since before you and Hunter were together. I just didn’t know how to tell you.” Nick said and he too, blushed.

Uncomfortably, Lucky shifted on the bed next to him and said, “About that … I already knew …”
Chapter 12 by Erica
Author's Notes:
Hey Everyone! I just wanted to say that I am SOOOO sorry for taking so long to post this chapter! I've had it written for quite a while now, but I wasn't sure if I was going to continue with it. Anyway, here it is ... please leave feedback. Hopefully I'll get the next chapter out faster than this one!

“Well, of course you already knew I loved you, everyone said it was easy to see.” Nick said and put his arm around Lucky, pulling her close to him. He kissed her cheek and smiled.

“Well, yeah, but … you’ve told me before. But I didn’t know if I should believe you or not.” Lucky said. Her cheeks turned a light shade of pink and she looked away and then looked back at him.

Nick looked at Lucky, dumbfounded, with his mouth open, ready to speak. However, words could not come to him. Lucky looked at him, innocently biting her lip and waited for some kind of reaction. Before she knew it, Nick was standing up, pacing by the window with his hands folded behind his head.

“Nick, can you please say something? You’re making me nervous.” Lucky said, pulling the sheet tighter to her body.

Nick looked from Lucky to the window and back again before stopping in his tracks. “Are you sure I’ve told you before?”

Lucky nodded and was about to say something, when she decided it was better if she kept her information to herself, until he asked. She could tell that Nick was asking questions in his eyes, but she wanted him to remember on his own.

“Oh my God.” He said, as if the memory was surfacing. “Please. Lucky. Please tell me I wasn’t … I wasn’t drunk when I said it, was I?”

“I’m afraid so. That’s why I questioned it. I didn’t know if you were serious or not.” Lucky said and got up from the bed. She made her way to Nick and then sat down on the window seat framing the bedroom. He sat next to her and put his elbows on his knees and then rubbed his face with his hands, finally resting with his fingertips on his mouth.

“I am so sorry.” Nick said through his fingers and glanced over at Lucky. His eyes held the truth of his apology and a slight question of forgiveness. “I am so sorry that you had to be with Hunter because I was a stubborn asshole. And I’m sorry that you had to hear it from me when I wasn’t in the right frame of mind. You don’t deserve that.”

“It’s ok Nick.” Lucky tried to start talking, but Nick cut her off again.

“I knew I said something to you that night. You were acting weird that day and I should have known that something was going on. I’m sorry. Lucky, I’m so sorry.”

Lucky took his hands into hers and smiled at him. “Nick, will you stop apologizing? I’m glad you said something when you did. It made me start thinking about how I really felt about you.”

“Yeah, but if I wasn’t drunk, you’d have heard it in a better way. I wouldn’t have just blurted it out.” Nick said and put his arm around Lucky, as she rested her head on his shoulder.

“Actually, it was pretty romantic. Well, until you fell asleep.” Lucky said and giggled against Nick’s bare chest.

“Oh my God. I fell asleep? I must have been pretty gone. What else did I say?” Nick asked, wincing in fear of her answer.

“You told me that you would do anything for me and that you would die for me.” Lucky said, growing quiet. She looked up and her green eyes bore into Nick soul.

His blue eyes returned her gaze and he said, “I want you to know that that’s true. I would die for you Lucky.” He kissed her softly on the lips and then released her and got up from the seat. “I’m going to take a shower. Want to join me?” Lucky met Nick’s playful gaze and stood up.

She dropped the sheet she was loosely holding around her body and said, “Not if I get there first.”

*****


One they had both showered and changed into regular clothes, Nick checked them out of the hotel and they went back home to find Nick’s siblings long gone. There was a note on the kitchen counter from the younger Carters thanking their big brother for letting them stay at his place. Nick dropped his and Lucky’s bags in the living room and sat on the couch.

Lucky traced the familiar path to her bedroom when she heard Nick’s voice calling out. “Where are you going?”

Lucky poked her head around the corner of the hallway and said, “My room. Why?”

“Well, because that’s not your room anymore. I want you to stay with me now. Ok, done deal, no questions asked.” Nick said and lazily closed his eyes.

Lucky stood at attention in the hallway and said “Yes sir!” and then saluted. She heard Nick laugh and continued to her old room. She found her laptop and brought it into the living room. She sat down in the comfy chair across from the couch Nick was now laying down on.

She noticed that his breathing was deep and even and realized that he was sleeping. “Good, now I can get some work done.” She thought to herself. She walked over to her duffle bag and pulled out the digital camera she had been snapping photos with the night before.

Plugging it into her computer, she looked over at Nick and realized that they had only taken one picture the entire night. Hopefully someone else had gotten some pictures of them dancing.

She smiled at his peaceful state and returned her attention to the computer. Uploading the pictures, she was happy to see that she had gotten plenty of pictorial evidence of Kevin’s look-a-like, Jesse.

There were pictures upon pictures of her with Jesse, of Jesse with Kevin, Jesse with the other Boys. As she looked closer at the pictures, she noticed the small differences in appearance between Jesse and Kevin. Jesse was a little bit shorter, had slightly longer hair, and had a small freckle on the right corner of his mouth.

However, those minor differences still caused them to look like twins. She e-mailed the pictures to Peterson and exited her e-mail server. She sat back in the chair and turned on the TV. Flicking channels until she settled on “Parental Control” on MTV, Lucky found herself falling asleep too. She put down the remote and cuddled into the cushions. She fell asleep with visions of being wrapped in Nick’s arms in her head.

When Lucky woke up a few hours later, she saw Nick staring at her. He did not look happy. She figured it was something important, so she sat up and asked him what the problem was.

“What’s the problem? This is the problem Lucky.” Nick said and turned her computer to her with a picture of her and Jesse enlarged on the screen. In the picture, Lucky had her hand on Jesse’s forearm and his fingers were on her knee in an intimate gesture. They were laughing and having a good time. Jesse was looking at her with desire in his eyes and Lucky’s head was tipped back as she laughed.

Lucky just rolled her eyes at Nick and said, “Are you serious? After last night you have the nerve to question if something is going on with me and Jesse?” Lucky got up from her chair and glanced at her watch. She saw that it was close to 6:30 and then looked at the kitchen. “When you grow up, I’ll be cooking dinner.”

Nick looked at her and got up from his spot on the couch and followed her into the kitchen. He sat down on one of the barstools and watched as she moved around. “Well, what are all of those pictures for then? I mean, why did you take some many of him, with him? They must mean something Lucky.”

“Yeah, they mean that I was collecting pictures for the FBI, Nick. Geez. I love you. Why does this have to be hard? Can’t it just be as simple as “I LOVE YOU”?” Lucky slammed the cutting board on the counter and pulled open the refrigerator.

When she felt arms around her, she spun around to see Nick staring at her. “I’m sorry. Really. I kind of, well, forgot that you’re in the FBI. I mean, you’ve been Lucky the Personal Assistant for so long, this whole FBI thing is going to take a while getting used to. I love you. It’s as simple as that. I promise.” He kissed the top of her head and released her, allowing her to finish making their dinner.

Later that night, Lucky moved her bathroom necessities over to Nick’s side of the apartment. Nick watched her as she did this and felt a sense of completeness crawl through his veins. Watching Lucky move into his bathroom was just the next step to moving into his life forever.

When it was time for them to go to bed, Nick took off his clothes until he was only wearing boxers, and threw them next to the hamper and slipped into his side of the bed. Lucky came into the room wearing a wife-beater and purple and white plaid cotton pajama shorts, and she too crawled into the bed.

“You know, you can move your clothes in here too.” Nick offered before he rolled over and turned off his light. He grabbed the remote and turned the channel to Sports Center.

Lucky smiled and looked at him over the rim of her glasses. “I know, but I kind of like having that room still. It was my first place here with you, and I just like it. Do you mind if I keep my light on to read for a few minutes?”

“No, not at all. Take your time. By the way, I love your glasses, no matter how annoyed you get with them.” Nick said and winked at her. He fell into his pillows and watched the recap of the baseball games that had been played earlier in the day.

The soft sound of Lucky turning the pages of her book, the soft light of the lamp playing on her silhouette, and her slow breathing had Nick captured. He turned on his side, suddenly very aware of her presence in his bed. She seemed not to notice him admiring her until she folded the corner of her page, took off her glasses and rubbed her tired eyes.

“You’re beautiful.” Nick said while we watched her.

Lucky jumped slightly and then put her hand over her heart. “You scared me! And you think I’m beautiful? This is my worst time of day Nick.” She laughed and then yawned. She set her book and glasses down on the bedside table and turned her light off.

“I think you’re beautiful every time of day. But right now, you look absolutely perfect. You look so real and so raw. I am so happy to be with you.” Nick gushed and smiled through tired eyes at Lucky.

“Stop it. You’re making me blush.” Lucky said and bent down and kissed Nick softly on the lips. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ear and tilted his chin with her fingers. She broke their kiss and smiled against his mouth before he pulled her down to him again, and she suddenly forgot how tired she was.

Before taking the kiss any further, Nick pulled away and tucked Lucky under his arm. He put his forehead on hers and said, “I can get used to this.” He smiled and kissed her cheek before pulling her closer to him.

“Good night, Nick. I love you.” Lucky said in a soft voice. Before falling asleep she heard Nick’s soft reply, “I love you too.”

*****


Lucky woke up the next morning and reached for Nick, but when she found his side was empty, she sat up straight and pushed her hair out of her face. She pulled at her wife-beater and put on her glasses. Walking out of the room, she was met with the glorious smell of bacon. Smiling, she saw Nick standing behind the kitchen counter with a spatula in his hand and a grin on his face.

“Good morning baby! I figured we’d switch it up for a change. I’ll cook for you! Sound good?” Nick asked cheerily and smiled as if he was up to something.

“This is wonderful, and it smells even better!” Lucky said as she closed her eyes to enhance the smell of the kitchen. Smiling, she opened her eyes again and said, “So, what’s for breakfast? I’m starving!”

“Egg white omelets, because I know how you are about healthy options, bacon, and orange juice. It’s the best I can do with what’s in the fridge.” Nick said and flipped over an omelet and slid it onto a plate. He put two slices of bacon next to the omelet and put the plate in front of Lucky. “That will be one kiss ma’am.”

Lucky leaned over the counter and paid her bill. As she bit into her omelet, Nick said, “Oh, I almost forgot something.” He handed her an envelope and put his plate next to hers and started to eat his breakfast. “Hey, I didn’t do half bad!”

Lucky just smiled at him before opening the envelope. There was a tri-folded piece of paper and Lucky looked at it questioningly. She opened it up and saw Nick’s handwriting. As she read the letter, her eyes welled up with tears. “Nick, this is beautiful. I love you and thank you so much.”

She leaned over to kiss him and he captured her mouth on his. He pulled back and said, “So what do you think? Let’s go on the first date we never had.”
Chapter 13 by Erica
Author's Notes:
I am so sorry this took so long to post. School has been hectic and the homework just never seems to stop. I really hope you enjoy this chapter! Please leave feedback!!
BLINDSIDED: CHAPTER 13



Later that afternoon, Nick found Lucky sitting in her room reading a new romance novel. He smiled when she adjusted her glasses on her nose and re-crossed her ankles.

“What are you doing in here?” Nick asked and moved closer to her bed.

“Just reading. Why? What are you doing in here?” Lucky asked playfully as she folded the corner of her book and placed it on the night stand next to her bed.

“Well, I came in here to tell you that I’m leaving. I’m going out and I need you to be ready by 6:00 tonight.” Nick said as he finally sat down next to her. He smiled down at her and kissed her on the forehead. As he got up to leave, Lucky grabbed his arm and said, “You actually think you’re going to get off that easy?”

“Well…” Nick said with a hint of sexual sarcasm in his voice, “Get off that easy? No, it usually takes me longer, remember?”

Lucky smiled and laughed at his lame attempt to flirt with her and instead, pulled him towards her until their lips were just inches apart. They stared each other down for a few seconds before Nick said, “Lucky, if you don’t kiss me right now, I won’t leave and we won’t go on our date because we’ll be too busy doing another activity here, if you know what I mean.”

Taking him by surprise, Lucky stared at him for another short second and used her hand to guide his head down to hers. The kiss was softer than Nick had anticipated, almost as if she was kissing him for the first time.

After she let go of the brief, intimate second, Nick looked at her and kissed her forehead before rolling off of her. He backed away slowly while she grabbed her book and acted as if nothing happened. He stood in the doorway for a short second and smiled as his mind reminded him of how much he loved her.

*****


At six o’clock, Lucky stood in front of her mirror and admired her outfit of choice. She was wearing a black pencil skirt and an emerald green ¾ sleeve length button down shirt. On her feet were a pair of 4-inch heeled emerald green pumps that match her shirt. She laughed as she pushed her red hair off of her face so she could finish touching up her eye shadow.

Just as she put the brush down, she heard a knock at the door. She couldn’t help but giggle to herself as she looked through the peephole and saw Nick looking a little nervous. She took him in before opening the door. He was wearing black dress pants, a baby blue collared shirt under a black cashmere sweater and black dress shoes. His hair was messy and his eyes were pure behind his frameless glasses. She gasped when she realized how damn sexy he was. She grabbed her leather jacked before opening the door. Nick put his hand on the frame above her head so he could look at her.

“Hi. How are you? I was wondering, would you care to join me on an evening out?” Nick asked, breathing a little heavily.

“Why, I thought you would never ask.” Lucky said and flashed him a happy smile. Nick relaxed a little and held his hand out to hers. She took it and curled her body into the curve of his.

Lucky looked up at Nick as they climbed onto the elevator and laughed to herself as she recalled her memory of the first time they rode the elevator together. Nick let her go and her laughter faded. “What did you do that for silly?” she asked as she tried to get closer.

Nick moved away again and said, “This is supposed to be our first date. We can’t be this comfortable with each other on a first date. Simple as that.”

“You’re kidding me. That’s kinda cute. But how can we be awkward when we’ve spent more than one night together in a very intimate way?” Lucky said in a low and husky voice while trailing her pointer finger down his chest. Nick quickly grabbed her hand and moved into the corner of the elevator.

“Lucky come on. You’re not playing fair. If you keep acting like this, we’ll never go out on this date and we’ll just end up staying in bed every time we want to go out. And I’m not saying that’s necessarily bad, but I want to take you out. I want people to know that I am with you and you are with me.” He finally let go a deep breath it seemed he had been holding.

Lucky took a long look at him and decided that he had been thinking about this for a long time so she dropped it. She moved over to the other side of the elevator and decided to go along with Nick’s fantasy. This was great foreplay for the amazing sex she was sure they were going to have later that night. She tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear and bit her lip while looking up at him through her eyelashes. She gave him a tiny smile as the elevator door dinged open and they walked into the lobby.

Nick stood about a foot behind Lucky and watched as she walked out of the apartment high-rise. He smiled because she was going to play along with his game. She stopped outside of the automatic sliding doors and put her hands on her slim hips. Nick wanted nothing more but to take her back upstairs, but he had reservations that had taken him all day to make and he really wanted to make this special.

She glanced at him over her shoulder and smiled. “How are we getting where we’re going?”

“Let’s walk and enjoy this beautiful night.” Nick said and steered Lucky in the direction of the restaurant. She smiled as he playfully touched her sides and let out a flirty giggle.

As they were walking along the crowded Manhattan streets, Lucky started thinking about her relationship with Nick and realized she didn’t know very much about the man she claimed to love. She began to frown and Nick touched her cheek. “What’s wrong Luck?”

“You know what? We don’t know anything about each other. Did that ever occur to you? I don’t know what your favorite place to relax is, or when your best birthday was, or anything important like that. Am I a whore?” Lucky asked and Nick looked at her in disbelief before stopping in the middle of the sidewalk and laughing a hearty laugh Lucky hadn’t head before. “What? What Nick? What’s so funny?”

“First of all, you are NOT a whore. And second of all, we know plenty of things about each other. You don’t live with someone for more than six months and not know stuff about them. Just because we haven’t asked each other specific questions about favorite places and people and things to do doesn’t mean we don’t know each other.” Nick said and placed an arm around her waist. He pulled her close and kissed her cheek.

“Hey now, no getting fresh. This is our first date and we’re supposed to save kissing for the end of the night. If you’re lucky.” Lucky said and smiled up at Nick.

Nick laughed an easy laugh and said, “In your arms and fourteen.”

Lucky looked at him confused and he said, “In your arms is my favorite place to relax and my fourteenth birthday was my best birthday.”

“Oh. Ok. Why your fourteenth?” Lucky asked and smiled at Nick.

“Well, because it was the first birthday I spent with the Boys. They were finally a stable and solid family for me, something I hadn’t had in a long time. What about you?” Nick asked.

“Well geez. I don’t know if I can top those answers. Hmm. Let me think. Since you already took the answer about my favorite place to relax, I’ll have to go with my second choice. Sitting in the corner couch at Starbucks with a Venti coffee and a really good book. And my favorite birthday. Wow. Other than this most recent one, I would also have to say my fourteenth as well. I had just moved to Chicago and made some really good friends. And you know, when I was fourteen, I started high school so it was kind of rough at first. But my friends decorated my locker with balloons and four leaf clovers. It was great.” Lucky finished and laughed to herself.

“What made you move to Chicago?” Nick asked and felt Lucky tense up at his side. “Or you don’t have to tell me.”

“No, no. It’s just …” Lucky trailed off and moved away from Nick. “It’s just that I have some really bad memories that I’d rather not dig through. I hope that’s ok.”

“Of course it is. If the time comes, I’m here to listen.” Nick said and pulled her back towards him. “Ahh, here we are.” Lucky looked up and saw a sign that advertised “Geisha New York”.

“Oh my GOD. Nick. How did you get reservations at this place? I’ve read about it in so many magazines. Oh my gosh. Thank you so much.” Lucky said and pulled Nick into a tight and appreciative hug.

“Hey, I’m not Nick Carter for nothing. I saw you reading the magazine on the airplane when I asked you out the first time. I never forgot the name, or your intense gaze while reading the article. I knew I would take you here one day. So… here we are.” Nick said and guided her up the steps of the front of the restaurant.

They made their way to the hostess podium and Nick gave her their name. They were quickly sat at a table for two overlooking East 61st street. The candle in the middle of the table highlighted their facial features in an intimate glow. As Nick sat studying his menu, Lucky looked at him over the top of hers and smiled and realized just how happy she was to be sitting there with him. She returned her gaze to the menu as their waiter stopped by to take their order.

They ordered their drinks and their food. They sat and talked for a few minutes before their food arrived.

“Thank you for tonight Nick.” Lucky said as she stepped out of her right stiletto and crossed her legs. Running her bare foot up his leg, she watched in delight as his body stiffened. “And trust me, I can’t wait to thank you later.”

Nick grinned at her devilishly as he grabbed her foot under the table and slowly began to caress it with his fingers. “Thank me how? This is our first date. I don’t put out that easily. What do you take me for?” Lucky had to bite her lips to groaning in ecstasy while Nick continued to massage her foot erotically.

“I take you for a strong, sensitive, very um, talented man. That’s what I take you for. And I love it.” Lucky said and smiled. “Ok, I really love what you’re doing, but can we at least talk about something else so I don’t do anything stupid. Please?”

“Sure. Let’s talk about you. And your life.” Nick suggested. Lucky smiled lazily and nodded. “Where did you grow up? Like, where did your family come from before you moved to Chicago?”

“Bangor, Maine.” The lie easily escaped Lucky’s lips since she had spoken it so many times before in her life. “We went from COLD to WIND.” She laughed and took her foot back from Nick’s grasp and put it back in her shoe. “Thank you for that. I look forward to more of that later.” She winked at him and then said, “I like Chicago better though. It’s where my family and real friends are.”

“Yeah. I don’t really know where all of my family is all of the time. I like calling New York home though. As much as it’s busy, it’s not nearly as hectic as LA.” Nick conceded.

“I like New York too. I like the energy and the lights. And the people.” Lucky said.

“So. I know that you probably don’t want to talk about it but, what happens next? Once you finish the case you’re working on?” Nick asked and watched Lucky wince at the question.

“You’re right, I don’t want to talk about it. But honestly, I don’t know. I don’t work in one base department. So I’m pretty much on assignment whenever available.” Lucky said and closed her eyes in thought. “But I guess I’m going to have to face it sooner or later. Sometimes I wonder if this is really what I want to do. Or if there is something else out there for me, you know? Did you ever question being a singer?”

Nick was a little taken aback by the question because no one had ever really made him think about it. He furrowed his brow in thought and finally began to speak. “Yes. But not on a constant basis. When I was trying out the solo thing, sometimes I wondered if it were for me. I always wondered what it would have been like to grow up normally. To have a job in a pizza place, or go to college and work in the real corporate America. To get my license at sixteen and show all of the kids at my locker in school. But in the end, I go to bed at night satisfied with my decision to leave school and become a singer.”

“I’m glad you’re happy. I think I’m happy doing this, but there are times like now when I don’t really like the inconsistency. I mean, being undercover and digging into peoples’ pasts is really interesting to me, but being stationed in one city and actually working in any given place at a moment’s notice isn’t the ideal life. I would really just like to be able to settle down.” Lucky said and glanced up at Nick’s intense stare.

“Well, have you told your boss that? I mean, I’m sure he would understand.” Nick offered.

“I have tried. Like when I had to go back to Chicago right before Thanksgiving. I tried to tell him that I wanted to stay in New York, but he told me that when I signed up to work for the Bureau I knew what I would be getting myself into. And I did, so that’s what keeps me faithful to my job.” Lucky finished just as their food arrived.

For the rest of the meal, they talked about the food and the view and a few little meaningless things. Once they were finished and could barely stand, it was time for them to head over to Broadway.

*****


“More walking Nick? I don’t know if my feet or my stomach can take it anymore!” Lucky whined in a joking voice.

“Oh come on you lazy bum. It’s only another block or so.” Nick said, as he folded her arm into the crook of his elbow. “And once we’ve arrived, you’ll be able to sit down and enjoy the show.”

“If you say so.” Lucky said and curled her head onto Nick’s shoulder.

As they turned the corner onto West 41st Street and Lucky saw the sign for RENT, indicating they were at the Nederlander Theater, she squealed in excitement. “RENT!?! Seriously?! Nick, how did you know?”

“You think I couldn’t hear you playing the RENT soundtrack from the other side of the apartment the whole time we’ve been living together? I swore if I heard “Seasons of Love” one more time without you actually seeing the show, I was going to take the CD and throw it onto the streets below.” Nick laughed and Lucky did too. She turned to face him and hugged him for a solid 30 seconds.

“I appreciate you and everything you’ve done for me so much. Thank you. I know this is our “first date” but I really want you to know that I love you. I really truly love you.” Lucky said and pulled him to her again.

Nick dropped a kiss on Lucky’s forehead and said, “I really, truly love you too. Now let’s go see this show.”

*****


As Nick and Lucky walked out of the Theater, he remembered the look on her face while she sang along to RENT, Take Me or Leave Me, Seasons of Love, and of course, La Vie Bohéme. Nick laughed as she bopped back and forth in her seat to the great sound of all the songs.

Just as they started on their walk home, Lucky’s phone began to ring. Nick grabbed it before she had a chance to open it and say hello. “Hello Lily!” He greeted Lucky’s best friend.

“Hi Nick, can I please speak to Renée?” Lily said and then stopped herself. “I mean, Lucky. Can I please speak to Lucky?”

“Um, I’m sorry. Who’s Ren…” Nick trailed off as his mouth opened in realization. “You mean, Renée St. James?” Nick looked accusingly at Lucky, whose mouth flung open in shock. She tried to grab at the phone, but Nick said “I’m sorry Lily. But Renée is going to have to call you back.” He hung up the phone and practically threw it at Lucky. “Did I hear her correctly?”

“Nick, I can explain.” Lucky said.

“No. I don’t think you can!” Nick exclaimed at her.

“Please calm down, people are starting to stare and I don’t want to make a scene right here. We can talk about this when we get home.” Lucky said, trying to make the situation even a fraction better.

“No! We’re going to have this out right now. And there is no way I’m taking you home you liar!” Nick yelled at her. “Tell me the truth now Lucky. Or should I say, Renée! How could you have lied to me all this time? All along you’ve pretended to be someone you’re not. I dealt with the secret job thing, but I just don’t know how I can deal with a secret identity Lucky!”

“Nick! Stop yelling! And stop talking to me like I’m the scum of the Earth, you don’t even know my side of the story! Jesus! Can’t you PLEASE at least listen to me?!” Lucky tried again to talk to him civilly.

The two of them stood in the middle of 41st street having a heated conversation and a crowd started to accumulate. Lucky saw flashes going off and knew these next few moments of her life were going to be captured in the frenzy of the tabloid media. She never regretted so much of her past until this very moment. But as she stood there, staring at the man she loved staring back at her in the most hateful glare she had ever seen, she saw something silver out of the corner of her eye.

She heard the light click of a trigger and jumped at Nick before he could say anything. She heard the completion of the gunshot and she fell to the ground on top of Nick and then everything went black.
Chapter 14 by Erica
Author's Notes:
Thanks to everyone who is sticking with this story! Please add some feedback or rate it please!!
BLINDSIDED: CHAPTER 14


Nick lay on the ground, stunned by everything that had just happened. As he lay there, he heard screams around him and felt a weight on his chest that wasn’t moving. Through closed eyes, he saw flashing light and tried to comprehend what was happening.

He slowly opened his eyes and saw a lifeless Lucky lying on top of him. He tried to shake her away, but she remained still on him. He said her name a few times and when he tried to lightly push her off, he felt something wet. He pulled his hand away and saw that it was covered in blood.

Nick started screaming, not quite sure what for. He didn’t know if he was bleeding, or if it was Lucky. He could feel himself go into shock and again, everything went black.

*****


Around 1:00 the next afternoon, Nick woke up and his entire body was sore. He looked around him and found he was lying in a hospital bed. He tried to sit up, but his head screamed in agony and his back felt as if it were on fire.

A nurse was in the room checking his monitor when he woke up and she smiled at him. “Well hello there sleepy-head. You’ve been out for quite some time.”

“What … what happened to me? Why am I here?” Nick asked as he settled back into the hard mattress and limp pillows.

“Well Mr. Carter, you were shot at last night on 41st street. You are a very lucky man to be alive. If it weren’t for that brave woman, you might not be here.” The nurse supplied vaguely.

“I’m sorry, what? What happened?” Nick asked again.

“Well, from what I’ve gathered from bystanders and the entertainment news, you were with a lady friend having an argument and a shot rang out from the gathering crowd. She jumped in front of you and now you are here.” The nurse stated as if it was something that happened every day.

“Lucky?! Where is she? Is she ok? What happened to her?” Nick asked frantically as he tried to sit up again.

“She is in surgery. It’s taken a little longer than expected because of where the bullet it her. It entered at a 45 degree angle into her back and they’re not sure if it hit her uterus or not.” The nurse began checking Nick’s morphine drip and looked at his monitor again.

“The bullet hit her? She was shot? When can I see her?” Nick asked. The tears sprang to his eyes and began to fall before he had a chance to stop them. He frantically wiped at them, but they began to fall faster. “We fought. She probably thinks I hate her. How can this be happening?”

As his tears fell faster and his shoulders shrugged harder, he fell into his pillow and cried himself back to sleep.

*****


“Nick?” He heard Lucky’s voice and opened his eyes.
She was standing in front of him in a flowing white dress.

“Lucky? Oh thank God you’re still alive.” Nick said and reached for her.

Standing over him, she placed her hands on his bed, next to his pillows. “It’s me Nick, but I came here to tell you something.”

“Lucky, please don’t. I love you and I’m so sorry and I don’t care if your name is Renée, Shannon, Katharine, or Lucky. I love YOU. I forgive you for lying.” Nick said.

Lucky smiled appreciatively and said, “Thank you for that. I want you to know that I love you too. And I will always love you. I will always, always be with you. Right here.” Lucky touched his heart and smiled again.

Nick reached for her again and she moved away. She glided gracefully away from Nick and practically melted through the doorway. Before she was completely gone from sight, Nick heard her voice. “Goodbye Nick. I will always love you.”


*****


“LUCKY!!!” Nick woke up in a cold sweat, screaming. “NO!!!” He began to cry violently again and jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Yo, man, you gotta chill.” He opened his eyes and saw AJ through his tears.

“Oh, AJ. Lucky’s dead.” Nick said and pulled his friend close so he could cry on his shoulder.

“What are you talking about?” AJ asked.

“I know it. We had a fight, she got shot and now she’s dead. She died thinking I hated her.” Nick said. He pulled away from AJ and ran his hand under his nose.

“Oh gross dude. That’s what tissues are for.” AJ said and handed him one from the table next to Nick’s bed.
“And Lucky’s not dead.”

As the information absorbed into his brain, Nick began to cry again. This time, tears of relief and joy. He again reached for AJ and hugged him close.

“Man, I wish the other guys would get here.” AJ mumbled to himself while Nick still gripped at him and cried onto his shoulder. “Dude, what is wrong with you? Why are you crying so much?”

Nick laid back onto his bed and his tear-stained face looked blankly up at the ceiling. In a non-expressive voice, he said, “She and I had a really big fight. And then she was shot. And I just woke up from a dream about her dying. The dream was so real, J. It was so real.”

“I understand. At least I can try to understand. But really, Lucky’s ok. She’s in recovery from her surgery. She’s not dead.” AJ said. He decided to keep the surgeon’s difficulties during her surgery to himself. Just as he finished his sentence, Brian and Leighanne walked into the door, Baylee on Leighanne’s hip.

“Nick we came as soon as we could.” Leighanne said as she put Baylee on the floor and walked over to where AJ was sitting. AJ stood up to greet all three of them and offered his chair to Leighanne.

“I went by Lucky’s room first to see how she was doing, but she was passed out. She had a couple of IVs stuck in her arms and an oxygen tube in her mouth. The nurses said that she would be ok, but she would probably have to stay in the hospital for a few days.” Leighanne supplied.

“I can’t see her like that. I’ll die.” Nick said and tears started to form in his eyes again.

“The dude has been seriously emotional since he woke up.” AJ stated to Brian. “I don’t really know what to do with a crying Nick. I mean, I can handle a whiny Nick or a sad Nick or even an annoying Nick, but I’ve never seen him cry so much.”

“AJ, he just got shot at and the love of his life is in critical condition. What would you be doing right now? Leighanne asked as she looked over Nick.

“How are you doing? I mean, how much physical pain are you in?” Brian asked.

“I’m really sore, but other than that, I’m doing ok.” Nick admitted and sat up in his bed. “I’m really worried about Lucky. I’m worried about our relationship.”

“Why would you be worried about your relationship? She risked her life to save you. I’m pretty sure you guys will be ok.” Brian said and laughed uneasily.

“But we had a huge fight. She lied to me and I didn’t even want to listen to her. I just shut her out as soon as I found out she lied.” Nick said and tears sprang to his eyes again.

“Well Nicky, we’ve always tried to tell you to give people the benefit of the doubt. You really do have to start doing that. Do you know why Lucky lied to you? What did she lie about?” AJ asked as he handed Nick another tissue.

“Her name. Her identity. Her real name is Renée St. James.” Nick said.

“The girl who practically scarred you for life against women?” Brian asked. “Wow.”

“Yeah, that’s really ironic. The same girl broke your heart and then slowly pieced it back together. She deserves some serious credit. No matter what her name is.” Leighanne commented.

“She’s really been the only woman in my life for so long. It’s because of her that I could never really love a woman, and then I met a different version of her and fell in love all over again. I don’t even know where to begin.” Nick said. He smiled at the idea that Lucky was still alive, and knew that he was going to have a second … no third chance with the woman of his dreams.

Later that night, Nick was lying in his bed flipping through the channels on the television planted on the opposite wall from his bed, he came across Entertainment Tonight and saw a clip of his face and then the show went to commercial. Nick sat back on his pillows and turned the volume up just in time to see Mary Hart come back on with a split screen of his and Lucky’s pictures on a board behind her. She went on to show a sloppy video and multiple clearer still shots of Nick and Lucky fighting.

“The following video may be disturbing to some videos, so please watch with caution.” Mary said. “It is cell phone footage of the following events.”

As much as Nick wanted to change the channel, he couldn’t tear his gaze away. He watched as he yelled at Lucky and then saw a slight change in her face that he hadn’t noticed when we was standing in front of her. Then, out of the corner of the screen he saw someone who looked familiar, but couldn’t quite place it, and then he saw the slight silver and then Lucky jumped on top of him. The screen went back to black and then returned to Mary Hart’s face.

“Here is a picture of the alleged gun man drawn up by a sketch artist from a compilation of witnesses at the scene.” Mary introduced a picture and Nick almost threw up as he saw Kevin’s face flash across the screen. “If you know anything about this man, please call 911 with details.” The show again turned to a commercial and Nick let out a deep breath.

He jumped slightly as his hospital room phone rang. “Hello?” Nick asked cautiously.

“Nick, do you care to explain why Kevin’s face was just up on the screen being related to your shooting?” AJ’s voice asked, a little too nervously. “It wasn’t him was it?”

“AJ. Do you really think that Kevin would do something like that? Besides, I don’t think it’s Kevin. I think it’s Jesse.” Nick said, relaying a conversation he and Lucky had had about Jesse earlier in the year. “Look at the guy’s hair. It’s shaggier than Kevin’s and he has that freckle on the corner of his mouth. That’s not Kevin.”

“Well, a hell of a lot of people are going to think it’s him when they see it. We’d better let him know what’s going on.” AJ said and before he could hang up, Nick’s cell phone began ringing on the stand next to the phone he was holding. He looked at the number and saw Kevin calling.

“J, let me call you back. Kevin’s calling my cell.” Nick said into one phone and then, “Hey Kev. I know it wasn’t you,” into the other.

Nick put the phone back onto it’s cradle and turned all of his attention to Kevin. “Of course it wasn’t me. I wasn’t even in New York yesterday, last night, whatever. I was in Kentucky with Kristin.”

“I think it is Jesse Black. Listen Kev, there’s some serious stuff going on that I can’t really talk about right now until I talk to Lucky. Thanks for calling man.” Before Kevin could ask anymore questions, Nick hid the End key on his phone and then pushed the “Call Nurse” button beside his bed.

As soon as a nurse walked into his room, he turned on his Carter charm. He flashed his smile and watched as she became putty in his hand. “Hi Kendra, can you please tell me if Ms. Lucky Sullivan has woken up yet?”

“Let me check for you Mr. Carter.” Kendra said and Nick winked at her before she left the room, causing her to run into the door frame. She came back about three minutes later and tried to find her words. “Yes. She is, um, awake. I mean, she’s not awake right now, but she’s been awake.”

“Oh. I wonder why she didn’t try to get in touch with me.” Nick said to himself.

“She did ask about you. I remember because I was told to come in and check on you. But you had the other boys in here at the time. Do you want me to keep a watch on her for when she wakes up?” Kendra offered sweetly for Nick.

“No. It’s ok. Do you know when I’ll be able to get up from the bed?” Nick asked.

“I think if you feel like you can walk, then you’ll be ok. As long as you take the IV with you; because we just need to keep your vitals monitored. You took a pretty hard hit to your head and back you know.”

“Yeah. But if it weren’t for Lucky, I could be dead. Can you help me get up so I can go sit in her room?” Nick asked as he started moving himself off of his bed. Kendra walked quickly to his assistance and helped him get situated when he was ready to start moving. She gave him Lucky’s room number and helped him get started in the right direction. Once he was half way down the hall, he told her to go back to her station and thanked her for her help.

He slowly made it to Lucky’s room and carefully turned the corner into her room, hoping not to wake her up. He smiled as he saw her chest rising and falling as a sign that she was in a deep sleep. He made his way to the chair next to her bed and easily fell into it. He grabbed her right hand and held it in his own and immediately felt comfortable enough and fell asleep.

*****


The next morning, Nick woke up stiff from sitting in a chair for most of the night and saw that Lucky was awake in her bed and she was curiously staring at him.

“Oh Lucky.” Nick said and got up so quickly, he felt all of the blood rushing to his head. He closed his eyes but continued to stand up anyway. He held her hand again and then fell to his knees next to her bed. He put his head on her mattress and just began to sob again. Lucky removed her hand from his and started smoothing his hair.

“Shh, Nick. It’s ok. Nick, I’m ok.” She said.

“Lucky, you have no idea. I had this awful dream. This REALLY real dream that you were dying. I woke up and AJ was in my room and he told me you were ok, but I was just so unsettled by this dream.” Nick said and finally looked up at her through wet eyelashes.

“Shhh, it’s ok. I promise. But you should probably know that I did almost die…”
Chapter 15 by Erica
Author's Notes:
Sorry this took so long to update! But hopefully I'll be writing more often soon and can get another chapter out! Thanks for reading and please leave feedback!!
BLINDSIDED: CHAPTER 15


“You should probably know that I did almost die…” Lucky’s voice continued to haunt Nick as he drove in the car back to the hospital. It had been two weeks since the event and for some reason, Lucky had done everything she could to keep Nick away. After their first contact right after the accident, Lucky started to put up walls and even refused to see him if he asked to visit.

He pulled up to the hospital entrance and saw Lucky sitting in a wheelchair with Kendra the nurse at her side. Kendra smiled, Lucky didn’t.

Nick parked the car and ran around to the other side to open the door for Lucky and help her up into his Durango. Once he had her in and buckled, he closed the door and grabbed her bag from Kendra. She smiled at him encouragingly and he thanked her for all of her help.

Nick got back in the car and pulled away toward the apartment building. He glanced over at Lucky’s face and tried to reach for her hand. She moved it farther away from him and turned her eyes up to the passing skyscrapers. The 20 block drive drug on and on, and the continuous red lights did nothing to ease the tension.

Every time he tried to say something, he looked at Lucky’s frozen eyes and closed his mouth instead. After what seemed like hours, Nick pulled into the entrance of the apartment building and gave his keys to the valet. He and Lucky stood in a stubborn and awkward silence that he hadn’t felt since she moved in.

Once they got to his penthouse, he opened the door and watched her go into his room. “Thank God.” He thought to himself. At least she was going to stay with him.

He spoke too soon. As soon as he returned his gaze from the ceiling, he turned to see Lucky carrying her clothes out of his room. His mouth dropped and she sent him an icy glare. He quickly shut his mouth and followed her into her room.

“What are you doing?” He bravely asked.

“I’m moving back into my room.” She said simply and glared at him again. She walked back to his room and this time went into the bathroom and gathered all of her toiletries. She continued her trip two more times before finally heading back into her room.

Nick stood in the living room not sure what to do. Once she walked past him for the final time, he followed her and right as he was about to walk into her room, she slammed the door in his face. He heard the slight click of the lock being turned and just stared at the door.

“You have to come out some time.” He said and put his forehead to her door. He heard her crawling into her bed and then the familiar turning of pages told him that she was hiding out reading another romance novel.

After sitting outside of her room for about 45 minutes, Nick looked at his watch and realized that he missed lunch and it was quickly approaching dinnertime. He went into the kitchen and put together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich before moving to the couch and turning on ESPN. A few bites into his sandwich, his doorbell rang.

Before he had the chance to get up and answer the door, Lucky came out of her room holding a few dollar bills in her hand. She answered the door and smiled brightly at the pizza delivery guy standing in the hallway.

“Medium pepperoni and mushroom?” He asked her, and looked around her to see Nick coming up behind her.

“Yup. That’s me. Thank you so much. Keep the change.” Lucky said and winked at him. She closed the door and turned only to run into Nick.

“You ordered pizza for us? Why didn’t you tell me?” He asked, hurt tinting his blue eyes.

Instead of answering him, Lucky headed into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator to retrieve a can of soda. She kicked the door closed with her foot and went back to her room. Nick heard another loud slam and hung his head.

He returned to the couch and watched some of the NBA clips with a scowl on his face.

*****


Meanwhile, Lucky sat in her room and stood with her eyes closed and her back against the door. A single tear rolled down her face. She wasn’t used to giving the silent treatment to anyone, especially not Nick. As much as she was used to getting it from him, it hurt not to feel like he trusted her. She didn’t know how much longer she would be able to last being so close to him, but keeping her heart so far away.

She put the pizza down on her bed and opened the lid. Picking up a slice, she turned on the TV and flipped to HBO, hoping to find something that would take her mind off of Nick. Instead, she found the movie version of RENT playing. She changed it to MTV’s Real World.

She took a few more bites of her pizza and tears streamed down her face. She looked at the slices laying in the box and thought about the times she and Nick would sit and share this same pizza and laugh and watch TV. He’s probably watching ESPN right now, she thought with a teary smile.

After finishing her slice, she picked up her phone. Dialing Lily’s number, she waited and her best friend picked up the phone on the third ring.

“Lily, I’m dying.” Lucky said.

“Wait, what?! Dying? I thought everything was ok, no complications with the surgery. Didn’t you get released today?” Lily asked, concern filling her voice.

“No, no. Not actually dying. I’m just … my heart … it just hurts. I’m so sad.” Lucky tried to explain.

Lily let out a sigh of relief. “Well, a broken heart I can deal with. You can’t start a conversation with ‘I’m dying’ after what you just went through. I wish I could be with you right now. I’m sorry I had to leave.”

When Lily first heard about the accident, she took the first flight into New York and stayed with Lucky and the hospital for a week. Knowing that she couldn’t stay forever, Lily regretfully left Lucky and returned to Chicago. Lily felt nothing but regret for Lucky being shot because she felt as if it were her fault.

“Lucky, I can’t tell you how sorry I am. I swear I didn’t mean for that ‘Renee’ to slip out. I don’t even know how it happened. I haven’t called you that for years. Well, since you had to change it at least. And then, when you could change it back and didn’t … I just don’t even know what came over me.” Lily apologized again.

“Lily, it’s not your fault. I’ve already told you that. Even if Nick and I hadn’t been fighting, something would have happened. Jesse was just waiting for the right time and I should have been more aware. But really, it’s no one’s fault. Please stop apologizing.” Lucky said with a teary laugh.

“Ok, I’m sorry.” Lily laughed at her slip and then said, “So what happened? I thought you were going home today.”

“I am home. But I just can’t stand to be around him and the tension right now. I moved my stuff out of his room and now I’m sitting in my room crying over a pizza that I should be sharing with him.” Lucky said and began to tear up again.

“Well, maybe you need to initiate conversation, if he won’t do it.” Lily suggested.

“That’s just it though, he’s trying. He’s acting like we didn’t even have that fight. And if I know Nick the way I do, he probably does want to pretend it never happened. But I can’t allow that. We need to talk about it because obviously there’s a trust issue between us.” Lucky said.

“He’s trying and YOU’RE the one giving HIM hell? Talk about a turn of events.” Lily said jokingly.

“I know. I’ve never given someone I love the silent treatment before and it kills me to do it now, but I just … I just hate how he talked to me and how he looked at me. I can’t get that picture out of my mind.” Lucky said and closed the pizza lid. She put the box on the floor next to her door and sprawled out on her bed. “It’s just weird for me to be so guarded with him. Remember how hard it was for him to talk to me about anything other than work in the beginning? I just can’t believe we can’t talk about something like this.”

“But maybe you can. He obviously wants to talk. Why can’t you open up to him Luck?” Lily asked.

“Because that would mean telling him everything. Everything about my past. Revisiting an awful period of my life. I just don’t know if I have the strength to go there again, especially with what’s going on with us right now.” Lucky said and began to see images of her past that continued to haunt her.

“Lucky. You don’t think you have the strength? Do you remember what you went through two weeks ago? Do you remember falling in love with an amazing man? Do you remember the happy memories you’ve built since that time?” Lily reminded her. “That is what you need to focus on. Not the negative. If Nick loves you the way he says he does, he’ll love YOU. Not your name or who you used to be, but who you are now. He’ll accept your past and probably even help you deal with it. Considering it’s what brought you to him in the first place.”

“I guess you’re right Lily. Thank you so much for being my best friend and listening to me complain.” Lucky said.

“I’m just glad you’re alive for me to listen to you. Complain all you want. But hey, I gotta go and I think you need to go talk to Nick. If not now, then in the morning.” Lily said.

“Ok, ok. I will. I’ll let you know how that goes. Again, I love you and I’ll talk to you later.” Lucky hung up the phone and stared at her door. Deciding she was too tired to have that LONG conversation with him now, she turned off her light and drifted off to restless, Nick-less sleep.

*****


Nick woke the next morning, more confused than ever. Lucky wasn’t talking to him and he couldn’t figure out why. He spent a long, lonely night thinking about how much he wanted to crawl into her bed and hold her, but couldn’t.

His eyes were red from no sleep and from fighting back constant tears, but there was nothing he could do to make himself feel better. He couldn’t imagine how much longer they would be like this.

I just don’t even know what’s wrong with her. Nick thought. If I knew what was wrong, I could apologize or try to talk to her, or something. Nick got out of bed and washed his face. He looked into his sad eyes and threatening tears came again.

Deciding to start the morning and trying to keep himself busy, instead of thinking about Lucky all day, he went into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. He pulled out a small skillet and turned on the front burner of the stove. Pulling out three eggs and some bacon, he turned back to the stove. Nick thought he heard the click of Lucky’s door opening and looked towards the hall, hoping she would appear.

Distracted by thoughts of Lucky, Nick put down his flat palm, instead of the skillet, on the burner. After a second, Nick yelped in pain. “God DAMNIT,” he cursed and looked at his pink hand.

“This just figures.” He thought and went over to the sink. He turned on the cold water and ran his hand under it. With his head down, the tears that had been stinging his eyes began to fall.

Before he knew it, Nick was sitting on the kitchen floor holding his hand and his head was rested against the cabinets, tears freely streaming down his face. A choked sob escaped his throat and he cried even more. “Why God? Why? Why doesn’t she just talk to me? Why?”

*****


Lucky knew that she would be taking a chance getting out of her room so early. But because she just couldn’t lay in bed thinking about Nick for another minute, she decided to get up.

She opened her door and cautiously walked down the hall. Before she got to the doorway, she heard Nick swear. She grimaced, but for some reason couldn’t go to him to find out why he was in pain. She stood in the hallway frozen, trying to choose between going to Nick and retreating back to her room.

Before long, she heard the water running and then heard Nick fall to the ground and start sobbing. Hearing him cry tore her up inside. She stepped into the living room and the plush carpet silenced her footsteps. Just as she reached the kitchen, she heard Nick talking. Thinking she was caught, she immediately stopped. Then she heard “Why God? Why? Why doesn’t she just talk to me? Why?”

Hearing his words made her cry as well. She didn’t know what had really caused her to push him away. She didn’t really know why she refused to speak to him or see him. It was hurting her just as much as it was him. After a few more moments of listening to Nick cry, Lucky moved into the kitchen and sat next to him on the floor.

He looked at her with sadness and hurt in his eyes and she watched as more tears continued to fall. She put her hand on his face and used her thumb to soothe away some of the tears. He leaned his face into her hand and closed his eyes, trying to stop the tears. She moved closer to him and put her head on his shoulder and put her hand over his burned palm, lightly caressing it.

“Shh, Nick. It’s alright. Shh, calm down.” Lucky said, trying to calm him down.

“It’s not alright Lucky.” Nick said as he tears started to ease up. He realized how perfect they felt sitting together like that. “It’s not alright because we haven’t talked to each other in two weeks. I haven’t held you in my arms in two weeks. I haven’t made love to you in two weeks. I haven’t even been able to SEE you for two weeks and then when we get to be together again, you shut me out. You slammed your door in my face and then ate a pizza that you KNOW we should have been having together. It’s not alright Lucky. I’m seriously hurting here.”

Before Lucky could respond, Nick pushed himself to his feet and abandoned his attempt at making breakfast. He went into the living room and fell into one the largest couch. He put his feet up on the coffee table in front of him and put his head in his hand propped up on the edge.

Lucky slowly got up from the floor as well and instead of going to Nick, she defiantly stood in the kitchen. “You’re hurting huh? YOU’RE hurting? You! All you ever think about is YOU. This is why I haven’t talked to you or seen you since right after surgery Nick. And even then, you were the one that came to me because YOU couldn’t stand it.”

Nick took her verbal beating and closed his eyes. He knew that she was right, but she had to see that he was hurting just as much as she was. Before he could defend himself, Lucky was talking again.

“Do you realize that I got SHOT Nick? I got SHOT for YOU. I almost DIED in the operating room, but somehow I didn’t because I knew that I needed to be with YOU.”

“Hey! I didn’t ask you to get shot! I didn’t!” Nick said, knowing it was lame before it even came out of his mouth.

“No. No you’re right. You didn’t. I did it because I’m with the FBI and that’s what I’m trained to do right?” Lucky quipped.

Nick was rendered speechless. He opened his mouth to respond and all he could come up with was, “No.”

“You’re damn right ‘No.’ I did it because I love you. Regardless of everything that was going on with us right then, my first instinct was to protect you; to protect our relationship. I love you. I really, honestly, completely, undyingly, unconditionally, LOVE you. I’ve never even FELT about someone the way I do about you.” Lucky said feeling very vulnerable. She moved into the living room and knelt before Nick.

“Then why did you push me away? Why didn’t you let me try? To tell you that I love you completely as well?” Nick asked and this time put his hand on her face. “I don’t care who you are, what you say your name is, who you were. All that matters is us right now in this moment and that we love each other and that we are going to move on.”

“No, it’s not that simple. Now that you know the truth, you have to know the entire truth. You can’t know what you think so you can subconsciously judge me and mistrust me for the rest of our relationship.” Lucky said and got up and sat on the couch next to him. Nick put his arm around the back of the couch and Lucky leaned in a little closer, but not making full contact.

“The entire truth? Come on Lucky, I know the truth. You had to change your name for this assignment so I wouldn’t know who you really are. It’s ok, I get it.” Nick said and tried to reach for her.

Lucky pulled even farther away from him and shrank back to the other side of couch. “No, that’s not the truth at all. I know you think it is, but really, it’s not.”

“There’s more to it? I mean, Lucky, I love you and I know that whatever it is, we’re going to get through it. But I just don’t know how much more I can take today. It’s been a really hard two weeks and I just want to hold you and kiss you and make love to you.” Nick said and put his head down. He looked over at her and she had her eyes closed with a single tear falling down her cheek.

“You want to make love to someone you think you know. Someone you think is the woman you love, but really, you don’t know anything about me. The real me. You don’t know my life story at all. And it makes me so sad that you seem like you don’t even want to try to know.” Lucky said and her tears fell harder.

“Baby. Baby, please stop crying. I know YOU. The woman you are now, the amazing person you’ve become. Just because I don’t know your history doesn’t mean I can’t love you as a person. I love the woman I know, and let me tell you, you’re one hell of a woman. But if it’s that important to you, I want to know everything about you. About your family, your friends, your past. But I only want you to tell me when you’re really ready to tell me.” Nick said and scooted closer to her.

Nick cradled her in his arms and put her head to his shoulder and felt her tears through his thin t-shirt. He put his hand on her hair and began to run his fingers in a massaging motion over her scalp.

“Can we please just go back to bed and wake up in a little bit when you’re ready to talk?” Nick felt Lucky nod her head against his shoulder and he delicately lifted her in his arms and brought her into his bedroom. Laying her carefully on his bed, he pulled away the covers and tucked her underneath. He climbed in next to her and she immediately cuddled up to his side and fell asleep.
Chapter 16 by Erica
Author's Notes:
I seriously can't believe that I updated so quickly, but I was just WAITING to write this chapter. Anyway, please leave feedback! :)
BLINDSIDED: CHAPTER 16


“Reassigned?! You’ve got to be kidding me!” Lucky exclaimed into her phone.

“No. You know what the ramifications are for working in this office. I think you need to be put on some deskwork for the next few months or so.” Lucky’s boss, Peterson told her matter-of-factly.

“But, sir, this just isn’t fair. I’ve worked my ass off on this case and you’re just going to give it to a new team? And just what exactly am I supposed to tell all of the people here that I’m doing?” Lucky asked, attitude dripping from her voice.

“I don’t know. My sources tell me that they already all know that you’ve been working undercover for the FBI.” Peterson shot back.

Lucky stared at her phone in absolute disbelief. “But … how … what … who … sir.”

“Lucky, did you really think that I wasn’t going to find out? I mean, I know you think you can trust those people, but I’m not so sure.” Peterson said and waited expectantly for Lucky to respond.

“You’re wrong sir. You are REALLY wrong. About not trusting them and especially about taking this assignment away from me. I’m not coming back to Chicago so you can forget that right now.” Lucky stood up from the couch and paced nervously in front of the television.

“Oh, is that so? So then let me think. Maybe instead of reassigning you, I should fire you for ignoring orders.” Peterson returned, knowingly using his superiority over her.

“You asshole. You wouldn’t do that. You need me too much. You know, to get your coffee for you. I’ll make you a deal.” Lucky said, trying to regain some control over this situation.

“I should fire you for talking to me like that. But you and your deals are always interesting Sullivan. What the hell do you want this time?” He asked, pretending to be only a little interested.

“I want to stay in New York. I’ll go on desk work, but only as long as I can work in the office here. And not only that, but with me being here and still alive, that’s going to be cause to draw Jesse out. Trust me on this sir, I have interacted in great length with him. I know my mark.” Lucky tried to convince her boss.

“Listen, I’m not making you any promises, but I’ll put a call into my contacts in New York. If they don’t have anything for you, you’re coming back here, period, end of story.” He said.

“No. I’m not coming back if you can’t find anything for me here. I’ll make something for myself here if I have to. I’m NOT leaving New York.” Lucky said, catching herself before she continued shouting into the phone.

Just as she let out a loud sigh, Nick walked in the door. She signaled for him to be quiet and he put the brown paper bag full of groceries he was carrying down on the counter and joined her in the living room.

Just as he reached her, Nick put his arm on her shoulder and mouthed, “Are you ok?”

Lucky nodded back and then returned to the phone. “Peterson, you just don’t understand the good that I could do here. So please make it work. Please, can’t you hear me begging you?”

“Yes, and it’s kind of pathetic Sullivan. But like I said, I’ll do what I can. I’ll call you back as soon as I have information.” Peterson said and without notice, he hung up the phone.

“Well good bye to you too.” Lucky said at the phone and snapped it shut.

“Baby, what was that all about?” Nick asked as Lucky fell onto the couch and laid her head in his lap.

Nick mindlessly played with her ponytail as she answered, “I’m getting in trouble with the boss. He thinks that the whole incident has drawn too much attention to me and you guys and he’s worried about it, but he won’t say it that nicely. Anyway, he said that he’s reassigning someone else to Jesse’s case and that he wants me back in Chicago as soon as possible. And I told him in no uncertain terms that I would be staying here whether he liked it or not. So now he’s calling the New York FBI to see where they can use me, if at all.”

“And if they can’t?” Nick stopped playing with her hair while he nervously waited for her answer.

“Then I quit and lead a normal life with you here. I’m not going back to Chicago permanently ever again.” Lucky said, matter-of-factly and sat up on the couch. “Is that ok?”

“It’s beyond ok. I want you here. I want you in my life. Hell, I just want you.” Nick said and pulled her close to him.

He kissed her lips and she relaxed against him. Running her fingers through his hair, she drew him even closer and then sat on his lap. He flipped her over so she was laying under him and his hands were moving over her sides.

As they continued to kiss on the couch, the afternoon sun was setting through the windows in the living room.

Nick looked at Lucky’s face and smiled. “You are so beautiful.”

Lucky blushed, but returned his smile. “Well thank you. You’re not so bad yourself.” She pulled him down again and kissed him, this time slipping her tongue into his mouth and licking his own.

Nick gave a small moan of appreciation and pulled away. “God Lucky, I’ve missed this. I love you so much.”

As if his words scared her, Lucky went rigid and did everything she could to move out from under him. He held her sides tightly and just looked at her confused. “What? What did I say? Baby, what is it?”

“Nick, I just can’t do this. I know it’s been a really long time since we’ve made love. Oh God, trust me, I know. I ache for you. But I … we … have to talk. I need to get it all out. You just have to listen. Please?” Lucky said and her eyes began to tear up.

“If you want to talk, I’m all ears. I just want what’s best for you, that way we can move on to what’s best for us.” Nick said reassuringly and got off of her to make her more comfortable.

Lucky got up from the couch and smoothed down her hair and shirt. She looked at him and said, “I’m going to go change into something more comfortable since we’ll probably be staying in for the rest of the night. Is that ok?”

“Yes, of course. I’ll go change too. I’ll meet you back in here when you’re ready. You know Lucky, we don’t have to go into this tonight if you don’t want to. I’m completely happy and content with just having you in bed next to me at night.” Nick said and stood up next to her. He reached out and framed her face in his hands and smoothed her cheeks with his thumbs.

“Thank you. I really appreciate your support and understanding and love. You’ve been really great to me throughout this whole ordeal and I’m sorry that I haven’t been the same. It’s just hard, you know? But anyway, I’m gonna go change and I’ll see you in a few.” Lucky said and abruptly turned away from him.

Once Lucky got into her room, she looked around at everything that marked her presence. She noticed her clothes spread out on the floor, the pictures on the dresser and her unmade bed. Before changing, she picked up all of her clothes and made her bed. Cleaning always helped Lucky clear her mind.

She picked out a lime green pair of cropped Victoria’s Secret PINK Brand sweatpants and traded them with the jeans she was already wearing. She took off the t-shirt she was wearing and stood in front of her mirror in just the pants and her bra. She turned around she her back was facing the mirror and turned her head to look at herself.

She carefully touched the scar on her back that was left from the bullet and the surgery to remove it. She remembered exactly what she was thinking when she jumped on top of Nick that night. Closing her eyes, she saw the flash of metal and heard the sound of the click. Then she felt the searing pain in her back and remembered her thoughts going blank.

Lucky opened her eyes and looked at the scar. “You don’t own me anymore,” she said and turned to face the mirror. “It’s time to move on.”

She picked up a white ribbed cotton tank top and pulled it on over her head. She went into the living to find that Nick wasn’t waiting for her, so she grabbed a box of matches from a drawer in the kitchen and lit the few candles scattered around the open space in Nick’s apartment. Soon, it was filled with a vanilla scent and Lucky inhaled deeply.

Nick entered the room and watched Lucky smell the candles. She looked so relaxed in her sweats and in his living room. He hadn’t seen her so calm since the accident. He smiled to himself before approaching her.

Lucky turned around and smiled at him, the first real smile she’d given him since returning to his apartment. She took in the sight of him wearing a pair of gray sweats and a wife-beater and said, “Nick, I am so sorry. About everything. I love you.”

Nick stared at her wide-eyed, almost as if he was looking at a completely different person. He didn’t know what else to say but, “I love you too.”

She practically ran to him and threw her arms around him, pulled herself up for a kiss. He willingly gave in and pulled her up so that her legs wrapped around his waist.

“Ok, hold it. We’re not going any further until you get everything off of your chest, ok? And by the way, I ordered some Chinese take-out while we were changing and it should be here any minute.” Nick said and walked Lucky over to the couch and dropped her into the plush cushions.

“You know baby, your tattoos look great.” Lucky said and lightly traced the band and sun on his right arm and the shark and Chinese symbols on his left arm. She smiled coyly at him and he just smirked at her.

“Lucky, don’t take this the wrong way, but what the hell happened to you while you were in there changing? I mean, it’s great that you’re back to being bubbly and sexual, but … this is so different from twenty minutes ago.” Nick said and ran his hand over the top of her head and through her ponytail.

“You know, it’s weird. It’s like I feel like a brand new person. I’m ready to share my entire life with you and I’m ready to move on with you. I guess I had a private moment and realized that my life isn’t defined by one moment, one accident, but by everything that has happened and is going to happen. It’s like, I can’t even explain it.” Lucky said and beamed again.

Nick was about to answer her when the doorbell rang. “Hold that thought,” Lucky said and jumped up to get the Chinese. She paid the delivery guy and returned to the couch. She sat cross-legged on the floor facing Nick and handed him his carton of beef and broccoli and dug into her chicken and shrimp.

“So, anyway, what were you about to say?” Lucky asked.

“I just want you to know that I know I’ve said it before, and I know that you’ve accepted my apology, but I really am sorry for making you feel like I didn’t trust you. I was just upset because I don’t know if you really know how much you leaving in the 8th grade really affected me with women for the rest of my life to this point.” Nick said from his position across from her on the floor.

“I’m glad you brought that up because that’s pretty much where it all begins. And your apology is accepted as long as you accept mine for being so snotty to you back them. I really did have a big crush on you, you know? But all of my friends thought you were a geek because you sang and stuff. But anyway, that’s beside the point.” Lucky said and Nick looked bewildered.

“You mean you really did like me? Here I am, all these years thinking that you, I mean you as Renée St. James, hated me. And I’ll forgive you for that geek comment.” Nick laughed and then looked thoughtful and said, “So why did you leave back then? And why didn’t you say anything to anyone?”

“It was so hard to explain back then because we were just kids. And besides, if I had said anything I would have gotten into a lot of trouble with the FBI.” Lucky said.

“What? Why?” Nick asked.

“Well, when we lived in Ruskin, do you remember my dad at all?” Nick nodded and Lucky continued. “Well, he was the District Attorney and they were working on this really big case about drug pushing throughout central Florida. Well anyway, I got home from school one day and there were all of these letters on my front doorstep. I picked them up and brought them inside to show to my parents. Luckily my dad was home when I walked inside and handed him all of these envelopes. There were SO many.” Lucky said and took another bite of her food.

“I think I remember my parents talking about the case because it was in the newspaper a lot. I used to tell them about you when they talked about it. I told them about the huge crush I had on you and how you wouldn’t give me the time of day.” Nick laughed and Lucky just shook her head in amusement.

“Anyway, in each of the envelopes there were threats from the families of the drug guys my dad was prosecuting. God, I’ll never forget watching the blood drain from my Dad’s face when he read each of them. He told us to just go on with our lives like we hadn’t gotten the letters and that he would talk to the police as soon as he could. Well, anyway he did and they told him that it would be best if we went into protective custody, you know, the witness protection program?” Lucky said.

“Are you serious? Are you still in it?” Nick asked.

Lucky, put her hand up and said, “You’re getting ahead of yourself buddy. I’m getting there.”

Nick nodded for her to continue and she said, “The day I came to school and accepted your invitation to the dance, I had no idea that we were going to be moving so soon. I was so happy my entire walk home and as soon as I walked down my street I knew something wasn’t right. There was a For Sale sign on my front yard and my mom was waiting for me in our family mini-van with most of our stuff all packed up.”

“So you really had no idea that you were leaving? And you really did want to go to the dance with me?” Nick asked. He just seemed so preoccupied with the idea that she could have liked him way back then.

“I mean, I knew that I was going to be leaving sometime soon, but they never told us the exact date or anything like that. And yes, I really wanted to go to the dance with you. I kept telling people that I wasn’t sure I could go because I was holding out for you. And all I really wanted was to go to the dance to feel normal again and not worry about the threats on our family. But like I said, we had to leave as soon as I got home from school that day. My dad had already left with my little sister earlier that day and we had to meet up with him in the middle of the night so we could start traveling together.” Lucky said and stared off into space for a second before collecting her thoughts again.

“Lucky, I can’t even imagine what you were going through. I just, I mean, I know what it’s like to leave all of your friends so suddenly, but not because I was forced to. I wanted to, I wanted to become a singer, but you… you had to, to save your life.” Nick said almost incredulously.

“Yeah. It was really hard. I mean, I know this may be hard to believe but I thought about you every day. Every single day between the day I left and the day I saw you again in the studio. You looked so handsome, so different from when you were a kid. But anyway …” Lucky trailed off.

“I thought about you too Lucky. And you really changed my perspective on women. I never really trusted them because I wasn’t sure if they wanted me for me, or because I was a Backstreet Boy.” Nick said and Lucky put her carton of food on the table next to them and inched closer to him.

She put her hand on his knee and said, “You changed my perspective on men forever too. Every single one of them had to compete with my memories of you. And you don’t think it was so hard to watch you grow up and become a man everywhere I turned? I looked at a magazine and there you were, I turned on the radio and heard the newest Backstreet Boy single, I turned on the TV and there you were either at a press conference, an awards show, or kissing on Paris Hilton. Let me tell you right now, I know we’ve never really discussed exes … but you have some serious talking to do to explain to me why you ever dated her. But that’s besides the point right now. Let me finish telling you what I need to tell you.”

Nick looked almost helpless because he couldn’t defend himself right then, but relaxed as Lucky started talking again. “Anyway, whenever someone started talking about the Backstreet Boys, I wanted to tell them that I knew you or that I almost went on a date with you, but I couldn’t because that would blow my cover. I had to practically erase my true past. My family is really lucky because we’re some of the few that didn’t have to change our Witness Protection identities multiple times. My sister and I never forgot our ‘back story’ and we just went along with everything. It was hard making friends and not being 100% honest with them. But I got really lucky and met Lily. She and I have been friends since I moved to Chicago.”

“Well, are you out of the Program now, or are you going to get into major trouble telling me this story?” Nick asked.

“I wouldn’t be telling you if I was going to get into trouble. About four years after we got into the Program, all of the families that my dad was working on were caught and sentenced to jail for life. So they released us from the Program and I had the option of changing my name back, but decided against it. The first person I told was Lily because I knew that she would be my best friend no matter what. She used to joke and call me Renée and when our friends caught her, she’d just say that it was my middle name or something like that. And she used to call me Renée when she had something really important to tell me or when I shocked her. That’s why she called me that the day you answered the phone.”

“You know, it’s so interesting that you’re telling me all of this because it seems so surreal. I mean, it’s like, I’m so glad that I got to know you as Renée AND as Lucky. You make so much more sense to me now and our relationship means so much more. I’m glad you decided to be honest with me.” Nick said and caressed her hair.

“Thank you. It took a lot.” Lucky said and smiled.

“So, is this how you got involved with the FBI? Through the Witness Protection Program?” Nick asked.

“Well, ironically enough, Peterson was the case manager for my family. We got to go into the offices if we wanted to and of course had to do a semi-annual evaluation on our progress with the Program. I used to be so interested in all of the workings of the Bureau and all of the cases they managed, you know? So I talked to Peterson and he said that they could use a file clerk for his department and I applied and got the position. When I was released from the Program and graduated from high school, I went to college and got a degree in Criminal Justice and a minor in journalism. Then, I went back and Peterson was working in under-cover operations, so I talked to him and trained for a little bit and he put me on his team.” Lucky explained.

“So how did you get assigned to this case?” Nick asked. At this point, they had both moved from the floor and were sitting on the couch facing each other, Lucky with her back against an armrest and Nick with his arms folded above his head and reclining on the opposite armrest.

Lucky moved from sitting across from him to extending her body on top of his and resting her head on his chest. He put his arms down so they relaxed against her back. She smiled to herself before starting to talk again.

“Well, actually, I had to fight for it. We were in a meeting and the case file came across the table and everyone wanted to go to New York for an extended period of time. But, I convinced them that I was the best candidate because of the position Johnny created for me as your assistant. The rest of the people who were really interested in the job were men, and that wouldn’t have made sense, especially since you never would have let any of them move in. And you definitely wouldn’t have put the moves on any of them; they’re not your type.” Lucky said and laughed against Nicks’ chest. He too laughed and she heard his heartbeat speed up.

“Yeah, you’re pretty much my only type.” Nick said and kissed her forehead. “I’m really glad that you can trust me enough to tell me all of this. I love you Lucky Sullivan.”

“I love you to Nickolas Carter” Lucky said and reached up and kissed him.

She pulled herself up along his body so that she was sitting on his stomach and kissing him. She held his head in her hands and kissed him slowly, passionately, lovingly. She ran her hands through his hair and he began to groan in approval.

“Come on Baby. Let’s be together.” Lucky said and Nick began to stand up. She hooked her heels around his back and he began walking back into his bedroom.

Just as he reached the door to kick it open, Lucky’s cell phone rang. Interrupting their kiss, Nick looked helpless. “I’m never gonna get lucky again, am I?” Nick joked.

“No pun intended, I’m sure. But I need to answer that, it might be Peterson.” Lucky said and playfully swatted at Nick. He kissed her passionately again before tapping her butt and sending her on her way to answer the phone.

“Sullivan.” Lucky answered, nervously awaiting Peterson’s news.

“Listen you little brat, you’re lucky that we’ve been through a lot together. I called up the guys I know in New York and they found something for you. You’re going to be working in processing in the Missing Persons Division. You start on Monday morning so enjoy the next couple of days off. Listen kid, I’m not messing around with you. You’d better get this right or your ass is gonna be yanked right back to the Windy City.” Peterson half scolded, half advised.

“Sir, you won’t be disappointed with me. Thank you again so much for this opportunity.” Lucky said and was about the hang up the phone when she heard Peterson begin talking again.

“Lucky, I’ll fax the Black files to you at Mr. Carter’s residence so you can keep an eye on them and I’ve already told your superiors in MP about your involvement with this case. Even though you won’t be lead detective anymore, I think you’re right that you need to still be involved. But listen, if this case begins to interfere with your work, I’ll take you off permanently, do you hear me?” Peterson asked.

“Yes sir. Thank you so much. It really means a lot to me that you trust me …” Lucky suddenly heard a dial tone and realized that he hung up on her again. “Oh whatever.”

Nick looked at her curiously and she practically floated past him. “I have a job, starting Monday.” She pulled at Nick’s shirt and seductively walked into his bedroom. She jumped onto his bed and said, “Now, where were we?”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7832