All I Have to Give by Jenna
Summary: Nick is in a horrible car accident. See how he and his friends deal with the cards fate has dealt him.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Howie, Kevin
Genres: Angst, Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 52 Completed: Yes Word count: 92207 Read: 72194 Published: 06/11/06 Updated: 03/15/08

1. Chapter 1 by Jenna

2. Chapter 2 by Jenna

3. Chapter 3 by Jenna

4. Chapter 4 by Jenna

5. Chapter 5 by Jenna

6. Chapter 6 by Jenna

7. Chapter 7 by Jenna

8. Chapter 8 by Jenna

9. Chapter 9 by Jenna

10. Chapter 10 by Jenna

11. Chapter 11 by Jenna

12. Chapter 12 by Jenna

13. Chapter 13 by Jenna

14. Chapter 14 by Jenna

15. Chapter 15 by Jenna

16. Chapter 16 by Jenna

17. Chapter 17 by Jenna

18. Chapter 18 by Jenna

19. Chapter 19 by Jenna

20. Chapter 20 by Jenna

21. Chapter 21 by Jenna

22. Chapter 22 by Jenna

23. Chapter 23 by Jenna

24. Chapter 24 by Jenna

25. Chapter 25 by Jenna

26. Chapter 26 by Jenna

27. Chapter 27 by Jenna

28. Chapter 28 by Jenna

29. Chapter 29 by Jenna

30. Chapter 30 by Jenna

31. Chapter 31 by Jenna

32. Chapter 32 by Jenna

33. Chapter 33 by Jenna

34. Chapter 34 by Jenna

35. Chapter 35 by Jenna

36. Chapter 36 by Jenna

37. Chapter 37 by Jenna

38. Chapter 38 by Jenna

39. Chapter 39 by Jenna

40. Chapter 40 by Jenna

41. Chapter 41 by Jenna

42. Chapter 42 by Jenna

43. Chapter 43 by Jenna

44. Chapter 44 by Jenna

45. Chapter 45 by Jenna

46. Chapter 46 by Jenna

47. Chapter 47 by Jenna

48. Chapter 48 by Jenna

49. Chapter 49 by Jenna

50. Chapter 50 by Jenna

51. Chapter 51 by Jenna

52. Chapter 52 by Jenna

Chapter 1 by Jenna
Chapter One


Nick stormed out the front door. He was upset with the way things had been going that afternoon. Jess seemed to have been asking way too much of him lately, or so he thought. All he wanted to do was get into his car and drive far and fast to escape all of the madness that had been going on in his life.

The group had gotten popular so fast. It seemed like only yesterday Nick could go where he wanted, do what he wanted without having to worry about getting mobbed. It wasn’t that he didn’t like the fans, but sometimes it was a little overwhelming and scary. He was beginning to unwind and relax after being gone for over three months when Jess approached him wanting a favor. She thought it would be good for him to come to a party and entertain some of her old classmates from school.

"Entertain, it would be so nice of you to do that for me,” Nick sneered as he climbed into the car. How could she even think of asking me to do something like this after I have been away for so long? It was the straw that blew him up. He just wanted to be left alone until his thoughts cleared.

Nick roared out of the driveway. He loved the feel of his corvette as it sped up the hill. He didn’t care how fast he was going. He didn’t realize how fast he was going until he saw a flash of a blue truck pull out in front of him. Nick stomped on the brakes hoping to avoid a certain collision. There was an awful sound of metal and glass and tires screeching. Then it was quiet.

“Someone call 911. Someone, please call 911.”

Time seemed to stand still. A shiny red corvette was barely recognizable in the twisted wreckage. It was tangled up in with the blue pickup truck. A crowd had started to gather.

The ambulance seemed to take forever to arrive to the accident. Once it was on the scene, the paramedics worked quickly to ascertain the number of victims and extent of injuries.

Jess knew that sometimes Nick needed to be alone and cool down. She wasn’t concerned when he left, but began to get worried when she heard sirens in the distance. She decided to go and see what was going on just for a piece of mind.

As she got closer to the accident scene she could feel a knot tightening in her stomach. Something was not feeling right and every inch seemed to take forever to travel. Jess thought she saw a shiny red object in the wreckage.

“What am I thinking? I have got myself convinced that something terrible has happened and I am not even close enough to see,” Jess thought to herself.

She stopped the car and ran towards where the crowd had gathered on the side of the street. She looked towards the wreckage in time to see the paramedics pull a man’s limp body free. She felt her knees buckle. Jess strained to look closer at the person. It didn’t really look like Nick, but she couldn’t tell. Then she noticed an ID bracelet on the left wrist. It was the bracelet she had given Nick just a few weeks ago---

“Oh my god, no,” Jessica screamed. “It can’t be!”

Jess felt like she was running in slow motion, she couldn’t get to Nick fast enough. She was stopped from coming closer by a policeman.

“Hold it there, miss, I can’t let you go over there,” the heavyset officer held her back.

“But I need to go there, I’m his girlfriend, please you have to let me,” Jessica tearfully pleaded to the policeman, but it was in vain.

If you are his friend, you would help him much better by staying out of the way. Besides, I wouldn’t want you to get hurt by being in the way. Just stay back here.”

Jessica resigned herself to be a spectator rather than being where she felt she was needed. She watched as the paramedics worked quickly on Nick. They were giving him an IV and were checking his injuries. It just didn’t look like Nick - all of the blood and his face was so swollen. He was unconscious, which Jessica decided was much better to be at this point rather than to be in incredible pain.

As Nick was put into the ambulance, Jess asked the officer where they were taking him.

“Tampa Bay Hospital,” he replied curtly.

She wasted no time getting back to her car. Her hands were shaking so much she was barely able to put the keys in the ignition. After she took a few deep breaths, Jess started the car. She tried to focus on what she was doing. The drive to the hospital for her would take at least 30 minutes. Nick would arrive there much sooner.

Chapter 2 by Jenna
Chapter Two

“I’m trying to find out where my boyfriend is, could you help me?”

The nurse in the emergency room walked briskly past Jess. “Try asking the girl up at the front desk, she can help you.”

“I am looking to find out where they took my boyfriend and that nurse told me to ask you,” Jess was hoping that someone would help her.

“Calm down, miss. Why was your boyfriend here?”

“He was in a car accident and the police officer told me he was being taken to Tampa Bay Hospital.”

“Okay, what is his name?”

“It’s uh, Nick, Nick Carter.” Jess looked at the receptionist anxiously, hoping that she could direct her quickly so she could be at his side.

“Carter.......oh, okay, he’s in Trauma Room 3, but you can’t go in there, only immediate family, sorry.”

“But I am family, I’m his girlfriend. Please you have to let me go in there,” Jessica pleaded. “I need to be there, I won’t get in the way, I promise, please! He would want me there.”

“I know his parents have been contacted, let me check with the trauma nurse and see what she thinks, please just wait over there.”

The receptionist motioned over to a bright waiting room. Jessica reluctantly walked over to a chair but did not sit in it. She was keeping her eye on the receptionist making sure she would be holding up her end of the deal to see if she could go in.

After about 10 minutes, the receptionist motioned to Jessica.

“The trauma nurse said it would be okay for you to go in, but you could only stay for 10 minutes, and you would have to leave before that time if they needed you to go.”

“Thank you.”

A nurse escorted Jessica down the corridor to the trauma room. She swallowed hard before she entered the room. She scanned the surroundings afraid to look at Nick. It was hard for her to keep her composure when she finally looked at him. There were so many tubes and machines surrounding him. His face was so swollen and scraped. There were tubes going into his mouth and the sound of a machine that kept reminding you of every breath he was taking, rather every breath that the machine was taking for him.

She looked at Nick wishing he would open his eyes. Jess kept thinking that this was going to be another one of his stupid practical jokes that he liked to play. She wanted to touch his hand, the only one that didn’t have anything attached to it, but hesitated.

“It’s okay, you can touch his hand,” the dark haired nurse told Jess.

As Jessica touched his hand, she was surprised at how cold it felt. “Is....is, what, um how is he, will he be alright?” Jess asked the nurse.

“The doctor would be better able to answer that question. He’s as comfortable as he can be right now. I know that doesn’t answer your question very well-----”

“How long until he wakes up?”

“We will have to wait and see, right now he is in a coma--”

“Oh my god, oh my god---” Jessica kept whispering.

“Why don’t I take you back out to the waiting room, I think it would be best for Nick. His parents were contacted and should be coming soon,” the nurse told Jess as she was trying to get her to leave.

“Okay.” Jess slowly bent over to kiss Nick’s face. She was afraid to touch him too hard. His face looked so hurt.

Jessica walked with the trauma nurse back to the lobby. The nurse told her that once Nick’s parents arrived, the doctor would be contacted and they would meet with him regarding Nick’s condition. All she could do was wait. If there were anything more that they would need, they would come and get her.

Jess sat down in a hard chair that was in a ocation where she could see the hallway and the front entrance. She looked around the room that was filled with people, wondering if they too were awaiting news about a loved one. She glanced down at the end table. It was littered with an assortment of magazines. The one that caught her eye had a photo of The Backstreet Boys on the cover.

She picked it up as she started thinking about how long it would take before the accident was on the news. Looking at Nick’s face in the article, she could feel the hot tears streaming down her face. Why did this have to happen? He is so good to people and so talented. She shook the thoughts from her head.

“Jess, oh god,” Jane Carter grabbed Jessica and gave her an overwhelming hug. Her face was drawn and pale. Nick’s father even looked older to her at that moment. “How did this happen?”

Jessica sighed, “I dunno. Me and Nicky were talking this afternoon and having a nice Saturday and I asked him about meeting some of my friends from school. He got upset and stormed out the door. I knew he just needed to be alone for a while, you know how much he wants to be by himself for a little bit after he’s been gone. Anyway, he took off in the car, squealing his tires and the whole bit and the next thing I heard were sirens. I was curious and so I got in my car to see if I could tell what was wrong and then I saw him...”

Jessica couldn’t finish. She was upset thinking about seeing Nick being taken from his car. Jane just held her as they both cried.

“How is he, have you seen him?”

“A nurse took me to see him, oh it is, I don’t know how he is, he was sleeping.” Jess did not have the heart to tell them that their son was in a coma. She coated the description of Nick and didn’t let on how badly he looked to her.

“Have you talked to his doctor yet?”

“No, they said that he would talk to you once you arrived. I guess we should tell the receptionist that you are here and want to see Nick.”

They walked over to the receptionist desk and told them who they were and that they wanted to see their son. The receptionist told them to wait in a conference room off to the right of the lobby and wait. She told them that the physician would be notified they were there.

All the three of them could do was sit in the tiny room with the bright white walls with a few unread magazines sitting on the tables glaring at them. On one of the magazines was a picture of Nick. Jess couldn’t believe the irony of how often his face kept jumping out at her, that beautiful face.

It seemed to take forever before Dr. Gaynor entered the room. He was a young doctor, about to be in his thirties. He sat in a chair that faced them. He shook Bob’s hand and nodded at Jess and Jane.

"I’m Dr. Gaynor, chief of staff of the trauma unit. Nick is still down here in the trauma ward, we should be transferring him shortly to the intensive care unit. I am waiting for the results of a few more tests before we move him. Nick is hurt very badly, but so far his body seems to be fighting. He has several injuries. I guess there really isn’t an easy way to start this. Nick was in a very bad car accident. His seatbelt probably protected him from further injuries, however, the ones he received are life-threatening.”

Jane gasped when Dr. Gaynor spoke those words. Bob put his arm around her tighter as if to shield her from the bad news.

“Nick suffered a tremendous blow to the head, cat scans show that his brain was bruised as a result of the hit. He is in a coma right now, that is basically his body’s way of protecting itself and trying to rewire his connections, so to speak. It’s too early to access whether there will be any permanent damage.”

“Oh, god, you mean brain damage?” Jessica beside herself. She couldn’t think past those words.

“Possibly, there is always that chance, but like I said, it is too early to tell. He also suffered a whiplash type of an injury to his back and the MRI shows that there is significant swelling to the spinal cord. Hopefully with the IV steroids he will be getting this may help to reduce the swelling before there is damage. It is too early to say whether anything permanent has happened there. He is on a respirator to help him breathe. He fractured his ribs on the left side and one of the ribs punctured the lung and it collapsed. We had to do surgery to open the lung back up and had to insert a catheter to help keep it open and drain the fluids to prevent pneumonia. I will be monitoring Nick very closely. The next few days will be very critical. Until he comes out of the coma his condition will be critical. Do you have any questions?”

Jess and Nick’s parents sat there, just numb. They were unable to get past the first part of the doctor’s comments of brain damage and spinal injury. Finally Jess summoned up the courage to thank the doctor and asked if they could see Nick.

"Certianly. I do want to remind you that when a person is in a coma, we feel that although they are not physically responding to you, they can hear your voice and feel your touch. It is very important that you talk to him and touch him. I will have the nurse come in to take you to him.”

The trauma nurse allowed Nick’s parents and Jessica to go in together. Jane wanted Jessica to be with them, it would be hard to face Nick and felt that since she had already seen him, that it would make it easier for them.

This time when Jess walked into the room, she was aware of more of the equipment that was connected to Nick. The respirator was still making a hissing noise everytime it filled his lungs with oxygen, but she also heard the sound of a machine that was keeping track of his heart beats. It was earie listening to the pinging noise. She did notice that when Jane cried out his name it appeared that the beats increased. Maybe she was just reading into it more than what it appeared to be.

"Jess, I didn’t realize that he would look like this. Oh, my baby,” Jane sobbed as she looked at Nick. She reached up and smoothed back his blonde hair that was still stained with blood.

“I’m just so afraid to touch him, he looks like he would be hurting everywhere. I don’t want to make him feel worse.”

“Remember what Dr. Gaynor said about Nick possibly hearing and feeling us. I noticed that the heart monitor went faster when we talk.” Jessica tried to reassure them that Nick was hearing them. She hoped that Nick was hearing them.
Chapter 3 by Jenna
Chapter Three
Jessica was startled by the noise of the ambulance as it pulled into the bay. She had fallen asleep in the lobby sometime during the night. The trauma nurse told them that they should just go home and that they would call if anything happened, but Jess insisted that she would stay at the hospital. Nick’s father convinced his mother that she should go home and get some rest and that they would come in the morning and would maybe know something more by then.

A television set was on in the corner of the lobby. The morning news was on. As Jess had suspected, the media had already found out about the accident. She strained to hear what the reporter had to say:

“Nick Carter of the group The Backstreet Boys was involved in a fatal collision yesterday afternoon near his hometown of Ruskin, Florida. Details are sketchy at this time, we will be keeping you posted as information develops.”

Great, Jess thought to herself, they have him dead. Oh no, I didn’t think about the rest of the guys, if they see this they’ll think he is dead too. I don’t have anyone’s phone numbers, but I know that Nick kept them in his wallet. I wonder if the trauma nurse has his personal affects. She got up and walked down the hall towards Nick’s room. It looked like they were preparing to move him to a new room. She stopped one of the technicians and asked if she knew where the stuff that he had on were.

“Let me get the bag for you, it should be under the gurney.” The tech bent over and grabbed a large plastic bag with the words “Tampa Bay Hospital” on the front. “Here you go, I take it that you are family?”

“Yes, thank you.” Jess took the bag. It did not contain any of his clothes, which led her to believe that nothing was left of his clothes after the accident. His wallet was at the bottom of the bag along with his id bracelet. His name was simply engraved on the front of the bracelet with Jessica’s initials engraved on the back. She picked up the wallet and got the phone number to his agent.

“Is there a phone I could use rather than the one out in the lobby? I need to let someone know that Nick is okay. The news has this stuff all screwed up.”

The technician pointed to a phone on the wall.

“Just press the first button and dial 8 to get an outside line honey.”

Jessica called Nick’s agent to let him know that Nick was not dead, it was probably the person in the other vehicle. She didn’t elaborate on his condition but requested that he pass the word onto the guys so that if they heard the television they wouldn’t be thinking the worst. She also asked them to pray for Nick.

Jess finished the phone call in time to go with Nick to his room in the intensive care unit. She looked at his face while the gurney was going down the hallway hoping to see something that would acknowledge that Nick was still here. Although the swelling in his face was going down, scrapes and cuts on his face still made Nick look like anyone but Nick. Jess ignored the mindless banter of the hospital attendants as they were in the elevator. “How could they be so cold and uncaring, joking around like that?” she thought to herself. Jess found it hard to believe how she herself could go on with the way things were right now.

After they got all the equipment hooked back up and Nick settled into his room, a resident physician came in to check Nick’s vital signs. Jess hesitated but then decided to ask what that doctor knew about how Nick was doing.

“Well, he seemed to have a relatively stable night last night, nothing popped up which is good. We will still have to keep a close watch on him for the next couple of days. Hopefully he will awake from his coma. I would like to see some other signs so that we can remove him from the respirator. The longer he needs one, we would have to change the set up,” the young resident sighed.

“What do you mean by changing the set up?

“We would do it only as a last resort, as long as Nick couldn’t breathe on his own, we would have to hook the tubes up to his throat which would require a tracheomontry. With Nick’s career being a singer, there is too much risk involved with messing with his throat and when you have to cut the throat, there is always that risk that his voice would never be the same, let alone that he could wind up never singing again. But try not to think about that, we have to think positively and believe that he will pull through this and be on his way to better things and bigger concerts. Dr. Gaynor will be in shortly to check Nick out and he will have a more clearer picture than what I would have. You may want to ask him when he comes in.”

And with that, the resident continued his meticulous job of going over every square inch of Nick making sure the equipment was hooked up right and that there were no more signs of injuries that were missed.

Jessica took a hard chair that was in the corner and sat down, staying out of the way. She waited until the doctor left and then she moved the chair closer to the bed. She touched Nick’s hand gently, noticing that his skin was still quite cold to the touch. She reached up and smoothed back his hair. Jess remembered what Dr. Gaynor had told them yesterday about people still being able to hear and feel while they were in a coma. She felt kind of silly but decided to lean closer to Nick and whisper into his ear hoping that it would stimulate some type of reaction from him.

“Hi honey, I just wanted to let you know I’m here,” Jess whispered into his ear. “Your mom and dad said that they would be coming back in this morning to see you.”

Jess noticed that the pinging noise of the heart monitor seemed to have increased in it’s rhythm. She watched the monitor as she talked to Nick again.

“I called your manager to let the guys know about you being in the hospital.”

This time she knew for sure. She saw the rate go from 76 beats per minute up to 83. She couldn’t be mistaken - he did hear her!

“Oh, Nick, I wished you would wake up,” Jess sighed as her eyes filled with tears.

Just as she finished speaking, Dr. Gaynor entered the room with Nick’s chart in his hand. He immediately went over to the bed and listened to Nick’s chest with the stethoscope. He then lifted one of Nick’s swollen eyelids and shined a penlight into the eye. Nick’s eyes were not focused and it looked scary to see him look past the light. During the night they had kept close watch on Nick doing bloodwork and checking his vitals all through the night. As Dr. Gaynor flipped to the chart, he came across something that he evidently did not like. He closed the chart, excused himself and left the room abruptly. Within minutes he reappeared with the resident and a nurse.

“I told you how important it was for you to call me if there were any changes in his condition, any. His first blood draw was 11.3, which remained stable until the last draw which showed it a 8.5, which is a significant change. I want the lab in here to do another draw stat.” Dr. Gaynor barked his orders which made the resident and the nurse scatter from the room. It did not take long before a lab tech was by Nick’s bedside preparing to take a blood sample from his arm.

Jessica watched the technician put the rubber strip to cuff off the blood flow to Nick’s arm. Just as the technician was preparing to insert the needle, Jess looked at Nick’s face. It looked to her as if he frowned with the pain. No noise was made by Nick, only the hissing of the respirator.

Dr. Gaynor reappeared in the room. He apologized for his abruptness with the staff earlier. “I always insist that they give me updates on my critical patients. I’m sorry that you had to see this scene.”

“I couldn’t help but overhear when you were talking about 11. 3 and 8.5, what does that indicate?” Jess was curious.

“It would be Nick’s hemoglobin level. A normal healthy man’s range is roughly thirteen to fourteen. An eleven point three is not unusual for someone that has sustained a traumatic injury. When the level drops to a seven or below, we have to start thinking about a possibility of internal bleeding. Depending on what the test results show, we may have to give him a transfusion to see if that will pick the numbers up.”

“I spoke with the resident earlier and I had asked him about the respirator and he told me he didn’t know how long Nick would have to be on it but then he also said that the longer he was on it that changes would have to be made, is this right?” Jessica was hoping that the resident was wrong.

“Well, yes it does make a difference how long a patient is on a respirator because we would have to go into the throat, which in Nick’s case would be very risky because of the vocal cords being right there. It would be very easy to nick a cord and hurt his voice. I would have went through the throat when he was in the trauma room, but decided against it. I’m planning on weaning him off the respirator today to see how he does. If he is still having trouble, we may have to go into the throat.”

Jessica wiped the tears from her cheeks. This was not fair, this should not have happened to Nick. She heard slow even footsteps and looked into the doorway to see Brian standing there, his face looked pale and his mouth was open as if in shock. Jess stood up and motioned for Brian to come into the room by her. Dr. Gaynor brushed past Brian on his was out the door.

Brian went up to Jess and held her in a tight hug that seemed to last for an eternity. As they pulled away, Jess looked at his face and saw tears brimming in his eyes.

Brian looked over to the bed at his best friend. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. Only a few days ago Nick was over to his house playing basketball, laughing and teasing him.

“How is he? I came as soon as I heard.” Brian talked softly as if he would wake Nick up.

“Oh Brian, Nick is hurt really bad.”

“How?”

“We got into a fight and Nick left my house and drove off kinda fast. A little bit later I heard sirens and found the accident. A truck had pulled out in front of him and Nick was going too fast to stop in time. The driver of the truck was killed.” Jess cried as she told the story again.

“Oh my god, is Nick gonna be okay, what’s wrong with him?” Brian could see the obvious and it hurt to look at his friend this way.

“Nick is in a coma right now, I don’t know when or if he will come out of it. The doctor said it could be hours, days, weeks, months or never. His brain was bruised in the accident. He fractured all of his ribs on his left side which in turn punctured his left lung. His back suffered a whiplash trauma and there is swelling in the spinal cord. They weren’t sure if Nick would be paralyzed from the accident, they would know better once he came out of the coma to access his injuries. Right now they are waiting the results of a blood draw to see how his hemoglobin is. It dropped down low last night. The doctor said that if it goes to a seven or below that would mean that he could have some possible internal injuries. If the tests come back low, the doctor wants to do a transfusion. I don’t know....” Jessica’s voice trailed off as she looked at Nick again.

Brian held Jessica close. He kept looking at Nick’s face and couldn’t believe that this was his friend who was like a baby brother to him laying there helpless. Memories of the times that they have shared together went through his mind.

“Brian, the doctor said it was good to touch and talk to Nick. He said that people that are in a coma can hear and feel. Let Nick know you’re here for him.”

Brian took a deep breath. He was trying to find the right words to say to Nick. He put his hand on Nick’s shoulder and rubbed it.

“Hey buddy, I came as soon as I got the call. You sure do things the hard way you stupid----” Brian couldn’t keep his composure. Jessica pulled Brian towards her and they held each other. After a few minutes Brian wiped his eyes and looked back at Nick. He looked at the tubes going into his mouth to help him breathe.

“Oh god, Jess, I’m sorry, so sorry. This shouldn’t be the way. This isn’t fair.” Brian looked hurt and upset.

A nurse entered the room with a unit of blood. Jess knew that this wasn’t good news, that this meant that his hemoglobin was lower.

“Do you know what the results were on the test?” Jessica asked the nurse.

“Yes, it was eight point three. Doctor ordered the transfusion to see how the level goes.”

Jessica and Brian looked at each other. They both knew what they were thinking and yet would not allow themselves to think the worst. After the nurse got the IV started, Nick’s parents arrived. They hugged Jessica and Brian.

“Any news?” Jane asked anxiously.

“They said that Nick had a pretty stable night except that his hemoglobin dropped sometime during the night and that is why Dr. Gaynor ordered a transfusion.” Jessica thought about telling them what she had heard regarding the respirator but decided against giving them more bad news.

“Why did his hemoglobin level drop so?” Jane asked.

“The doctor was not sure, he said that they are watching the levels closely and that right now it is at eight point three. When Nick came in he was at eleven point five. The doctor would be very concerned if his levels went down to seven or below, then he said that there could be a possibility of internal injuries.”

“Oh dear lord,” Jane put her hand to her mouth.

Jessica and Brian left the room to give Nick’s parents some time with him alone.

“Jess, did you want me to take you back home so that you can get refreshed? It would do you some good.” Brian offered.

“I don’t want to leave Nick.”

“I don’t think Nick will be going anywhere soon--”

“But I want to be here when he wakes up.”

“I can’t argue with you on that one, but really, you should go home and at least shower and change or you will scare him.” Brian teased. He was trying hard to make Jessica smile.

“Oh, thanks. Yes, I guess it would be better to go now, I don’t think he will be waking up within the next couple of hours.

Brian and Jessica went back into Nick’s room to tell Bob and Jane that he was taking Jessica home to shower and change. Jess leaned over the bed and touched Nick’s hair and then gently kissed his bruised cheek. She hugged the Carter’s goodbye and then left with Brian.

Chapter 4 by Jenna
Chapter Four

The Florida sun hit Jessica’s face as they walked out the front entrance. She squinted and was momentarily blinded by it’s brightness. Once her eyes adjusted, she glanced over at Brian and noticed that he had already had his sunglasses and ball cap on. It was a way of life for these guys lately to hide their faces. Nick didn’t have to worry too much about being seen, Jess guessed it was his mannerisms - he didn’t seem paranoid, but neither does Brian.

There was a small group of people on the front lawn that were standing and holding candles and pictures of Nick. Jess could hear Nick’s voice singing. It was strange.

“It’s funny how it never takes long for fans to find out where you guys are.”

“Yeah, sometimes it can be pretty annoying.” Brian was relieved to think that the group on the lawn didn’t recognize him. They seemed to be checking everyone that entered and left the hospital. It may be the way Jess and he were walking together, arms linked. No one would suspect him being there anyway.

“Could you have found a parking place further away?” Jessica teased Brian.

“Hey, it was the only one I could find and I sure as hell wasn’t going to use the valet - now there would be an instant clue as to Nick being here once someone found me out. I hate using valets anyway, you can’t imagine the stuff they could do in your car.” Brian looked at Jess and winked.

The ride home for Jess was long. She did not like being away from Nicky and was afraid that something would happen while she was gone. When Brian pulled up to her house, she literally jumped from the vehicle and yelled back, “Come on in and make yourself at home,” while she went through the front door. Brian shrugged his shoulders and got out of the car and followed her in.

Jess took the fastest shower in her life. She was going to dry her hair but decided that would take too long and opted for it to dry naturally on the way back. She pulled on a comfortable pair of jeans and a loose tee shirt. She knew that it was necessary for her to be comfortable and not fashionable so she didn’t really care how she looked. She brushed her hair out and applied her make up and grabbed some extra things and shoved them into a bag.

“Okay, I’m ready to go.” Jess announced when she entered the living room. Brian was sitting in the lazy boy watching MTV. “Wow, that was fast. Hey, they have an update on MTV news about Nick.” Brian turned up the volume.

“Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys was involved in a serious car accident Saturday afternoon. One person was killed as a result of the accident. Carter was taken a Tampa area hospital were he is currently in critical condition. We will keep you updated as further information is released.”

“Oh, thank you for the privacy. This will be great now. Do you know how many people will be hanging out at the hospital?” Brian was disgusted with the report. It really was a violation of Nick’s privacy.

“We’ll just have to make the best of it. Come-on, let’s go.” Jess pulled on Brian’s arm. Jess asked Brian to drive down the street where the accident happened.

“Are you sure you want to do that?” Brian looked at Jess worried.

“Yes, I need to . Are you okay with doing it?” she almost forgot that it could be difficult for Brian.

“Yeah, I can do it.”

Jessica and Brian were quiet all the way there listening to the radio. Brian had it on the oldies station and Jess closed her eyes while she was listening. Nick almost always had his stereo on the oldies.

As they approached the intersection, Jessica could see long screech marks where Nick had applied the brakes in vain. There were flowers on every corner, it looked like some kind of shrine. There were a few girls standing around and it looked as if they were crying. They had a few minutes to look at the intersection since they had to wait for a red light.

“I can’t figure out how that guy just pulled in front of Nick, it looks like he would have a clear view of the traffic from all sides.” Brian sighed.

“Brian, we will never know what that man saw, we can’t blame him for what happened, his family is grieving also, we just have to accept it and go on.”

Brian nodded slowly in agreement, thinking of what Jess had said while looking at the intersection. There were pictures of Nick and flowers on every corner. Some girls were standing off to one side crying.

“I called Leighanne this morning after I found out. She is out of the state visiting her family. I don’t expect her to be coming back here for another few days. She wanted me to tell you that she will be praying for you guys.” Brian was trying to think of something to lighten up the ride back to the hospital. He needed to talk or he was afraid he would lose his composure.

“I’m glad you called her. I will be anxious to see her when she gets back. She is really a crazy person, isn’t she?” Brian smiled, “Yeah, she can be cute at times, but that’s why I love her so.”

As they pulled into the parking lot at the hospital, they noticed that the front lawn was filled with people. It was something they both knew would happen once the accident was out on the news. Brian seemed to be a little nervous when they parked the car. He put his baseball cap on the opposite way he usually wore it and put his sunglasses on. Jess knew that he was afraid he would be recognized and that all hell would break out.

“Just walk with me and stay close. Act like we’re in no hurry and pray like mad.” Brian told her before they got out. Jess nodded and took his arm.

They had to walk through a crowd that was gathering at the front entrance and Brian knew that all it would take is for one person to recognize them and it would start a panic. He looked down at the ground as he was walking. Jess felt a little nervous walking with Brian towards the crowd and held onto his arm a little tighter.

“Ohmygod, it’s Brian.”

Jessica’s heart skipped a beat. Brian did not waste a minute stepping up the pace and getting into the door. Once they were inside, they were safe because of the hospital security. They went to the elevator and waited so they could get on.

Once they got to the fourth floor they felt a little more secure. When they walked towards Nick’s room, a hospital security guard was standing outside of the doorway. He stopped Brian and Jess before they could enter the room. The door was closed so there was no way anyone would be able to walk by and look in. As usual, Nick’s fame was costing his privacy.

“I need to see some type of identification before I can let you in. You need to be approved.” The guard was very tall and muscular, looking as if he were a bouncer in a bar at night. Brian dug in his back pocket and pulled out his wallet and handed the guard his driver’s license. Jess pulled her license out of her billfold. The guard looked at the licenses and then at Brian and Jess. He had a clipboard which had names. He verified that Jess and Brian were okay to go into the room. Jessica asked the guard if there was some type of pass she could wear since she would be in and out of the room during Nick’s stay at the hospital. The guard told her that he would check into it and get back with her.

As Brian and Jess opened the door, a nurse was trying to leave. Once inside, they saw Nick’s parents at his bedside, his mother was holding his hand. They looked over at the door when it opened.

Jess walked over to Jane and hugged her. She went to Nick and kissed his cheek.

“Any change?” Jess asked.

Jane shook her head. “The nurse told me that Dr. Gaynor would be coming in to see us in a few minutes. Maybe he has the results of the blood draw that they did on Nick while you were gone.”

Jane’s face was pale and drawn. It upset Jess to see her that way. She knew how close Nick was to his mother.

The hissing of the respirator seemed to mock the silence of the room. I hope Dr. Gaynor comes in to tell us that Nick can go off that thing. Jess thought to herself. Each hour that goes by with Nick on it was against him.

Brian went up to the foot of the bed and squeezed Nick’s foot. Everyone in the room silently knew that Brian was trying to get some type of reaction out of Nick.

“Hey buddy, wake up.” Brian shook Nick’s foot. “You’ve been sleeping long enough.”

Everyone looked at Nick while Brian tried in vain to wake him up. The only reaction they got from Nick was the heart monitor jumped it’s pace up a little. The respirator still kept the same sickening rhythm.

Just as Brian touched Nick’s foot again, Dr. Gaynor entered the room. He was holding Nick’s chart and was thumbing through the papers. The chart was already thick from all the tests that Nick was having.

“We did another blood draw and have the results back from the lab. I wanted to wait for an hour before we did the draw to see how the transfusion would take on Nick. When we did the transfusion, the hemoglobin levels were at 8.5. The new levels are at 7.9 which is not good news. I’m afraid that we are going to have to take him to surgery. I suspect that there may be some internal bleeding that has to be stopped. We could keep giving him more units of blood, but if he is bleeding internally, it could cause more harm than good crowding his organs with blood. He will be going down to the O.R. in about an hour. Are there any questions?” Dr. Gaynor scanned the group surrounding Nick’s bed.

“Do you have any idea what or where the bleeding is?” Nick’s father spoke with his voice breaking.

“I wish I did. With Nick being unconscious, he is unable to tell us where it hurts and so that makes the puzzle a little more difficult to solve. Try not to worry, I wouldn’t make him go through this unless he absolutely needed it with him being in critical condition.”

Dr. Gaynor shook Bob Carter’s hand and nodded at Jane. “I’ll see you in an hour.”

Jane started crying. Brian and Bob had tears filling their eyes. Jess stared at Nick’s bed. No one wanted to say anything. They all silently prayed.

Chapter 5 by Jenna
Chapter Five

They waited in the surgical waiting room for three hours hoping for some type of news. Each time the volunteer at the reception desk picked up the phone they held their breath hoping that it would be their turn to be notified. Finally his name was spoken: “NICK CARTER’S FAMILY, NICK CARTER.”

Jessica winced at how loudly the woman said his name. She felt all the eyes in the room on them as they approached the desk.

“You can go to surgical consult room number 3 down the hall and to your left,” the receptionist cheerfully told them.

They crowded into the small waiting room. There were a couple of boxes of kleenex on the table and a few magazines. Again one of the magazines had a picture of Nick on the cover. Jessica was hoping that this would be a good sign, she was tired of having bad things happening to Nick.

Dr. Gaynor entered the room still in his surgical clothes. He looked tired.

“We found the bleeding, Nick had a couple of lacerations on his liver that needed to be repaired. We had to give him two more units of blood during the surgery and I irrigated and suctioned all of the blood that had filled his abdomen.” Dr. Gaynor talked fast.

“So how is he now?” Jane asked quietly.

“He’s in stable condition. He’ll stay in surgical recovery for about another half hour and then they will take him back to his room. We will keep checking his blood levels a few more times today and if everything looks alright, we will taper those tests down.”

Nick’s father stood up and shook the doctors hand as he was leaving. “Thank you, Dr. Gaynor.”

When the doctor left the room Nick’s dad suggested they go to the cafeteria and get something to eat.

“I’m not very hungry,” Jane stated.

Jess nodded in agreement but decided it would be good for them to at least get a cup of coffee and sit together. As they walked down the hall towards the cafeteria, Jessica noticed that some of the people that were walking by were pointing and whispering. She held Brian’s arm tighter and felt safer by doing that.

They sat at a booth in a darker corner away from people. No one got anything to eat but had decided to have coffee.

“I hate being away from Nick right now.” Jess sighed as she looked at her cup.

“I know Jess, but you shouldn’t let yourself worry so much. He will be okay, he’s got to be. This surgery is the thing that will make him better, it’s no wonder why he has been in a coma.” Brian tried to console her.

“I hope you’re right.” Jessica replied.

“As soon as Nick is back in his room, we’ll leave for awhile once we know he’s settled in.” Jane said. “Jess, you should try to go home and get some rest too.”

Jessica shook her head. “No, I couldn’t rest, I need to be here with Nick. I don’t think I would feel better anyplace else, besides, I wouldn’t want him to wake up alone and not know what was going on.”

Brian looked at his watch. “I think Nick should be back up right now. I plan on leaving with Bob and Jane, it’s better in a group, if you know what I mean.”

They went back up to the fourth floor. A security guard was keeping vigil outside of Nick’s door which was a good indicator that he was back in his room. As they approached the door, the guard stood up and again requested identification. They all complied.

“Did you find out about getting passes so we don’t have to go through this every time we go out, not that I don’t appreciate what you are doing,” Jess wondered.

“Yes I did ma’am.” The guard produced green badges with a chain that they could put around their necks. The tag was simple and said visitor clearance level 5. He handed one to Jessica and one each to Nick’s mother and father.

When they slowly walked into the room, they were all afraid of what they would be greeted with next. Jessica noticed right away that the sound of the hissing of the respirator was gone. She looked at Nick’s face and was shocked to see that the tubes that were going into his mouth to help him breathe were gone. The tubes were replaced with oxygen being supplied with tubing placed near his nose.

Jessica went to the bed and held Nick’s hand. The swelling seemed to have gone down quite significantly since the surgery. His face was still so bruised and his mouth looked sore from having the tubes in it.

Brian went up to the bed and gave Jess a hug. He then touched Nick’s shoulder. “Hey buddy, how ya doin’?” Brian wasn’t expecting Nick to answer him, but was hoping that he would respond.

Bob and Jane kissed Nick. “Jess said that she would be staying with you,” Jane spoke softly as she smoothed Nick’s hair from his forehead. “Your dad and I will be coming back again later. Love you.”

Jess hugged Nick’s parents goodbye. When Brian hugged her, he gave her a tight squeeze and whispered in her ear, “Call me if you need anything, even if you need to talk.”

“Okay, I will. Thanks.”

As they left, a nurse came into the room with new IV’s and other apparatus. Jess watched her change the IV bags and put medication into Nick’s IV line. The nurse looked at Nick’s face while she was administering the medication.

“Did you want to have the television on or music?” the nurse asked Jess. “The silence can be a little nerve-wracking and besides it’s good for the patient.”

“Either one is fine, I guess.” Jess didn’t care, she wouldn’t pay too much attention to either one, she was too preoccupied.

“I suppose if we put music on and got ‘N Sync that would irritate Nick enough to get up and turn it off, you think?” the nurse smiled as she was trying to make a light hearted joke.

“It probably would. I guess TV would be fine.” Jess smiled.

The nurse gave Jess a remote control for the television and turned it on. While they were talking, another nurse came in to draw blood since they were still keeping track of his hemoglobin levels. When the nurse put the needle into his arm, Nick made a soft moaning sound. Everyone in the room looked at each other and then at Nick.

“Nick can you hear me?” the nurse asked. There wasn’t any response from him.

“Is this a good sign?” Jess asked.

“It could be, I don’t know his full history, but any sound coming from a patient is an indicator that he could be waking up. I’ll have a resident come in and look at him.” The nurse left the room quickly.

Once again, Jess was in the room with Nick by herself. She pulled her chair up closer to him. Suddenly, Nick’s arms went up to his face in an almost defensive type of a position as if to shield his face from something. His eyes were still closed.

“Ahhhhhhhhhhh,” Nick let out a hoarse yell.

Jess stood up and tried to pull his arms away from his head.

“Nick, it’s okay, it’s okay. Shhhh.” Jess tried to calm him down in a soothing voice. She managed to pull his arms down at his side. She looked at his face. His eyes looked wild with fear. They darted around the room quickly. Nick looked at Jess and it looked like he was looking past her.

“Nick, it’s okay, I’m here with you,” Jess tried again to calm him down. While she was talking to him she noticed that the heart monitor was beeping rapidly meaning that his blood pressure was soaring. She pushed the nurse call button.

Nick looked at her and around the room again, this time a little slower and he seemed to be focusing a little better. Nick turned and looked at Jess again. It looked as if he didn’t know her, it was a strange look on his face.

The nurse came into the room.

“He just woke up, but he seems to be very agitated.” Jess tried to fill the nurse in.

The nurse saw that the monitor was beating rapidly. “I’m calling his doctor.” Just as the nurse turned, the resident physician entered the room.

“The patient just woke, he seems to be lethargic and his pulse is rapid.” the nurse reported to the resident.

Nick stared at the medical staff as if they were creatures from another planet. His face showed fear. Jess tried to calm him down by holding his hand. She noticed that his skin felt cold and clammy and that his face and hair was soaked in sweat.

The resident rattled off some type of drug that needed to be administered stat. The nurse nodded and headed out the door. The resident checked the machines but didn’t touch Nick. After a few moments, the nurse appeared with a syringe. Nick still looked as if he had seen a terrifying scene when he looked at the doctor and the nurse. The nurse was preparing to inject the medication into Nick’s IV when he tried to push her away with his free arm. Jess stood up and tried to hold his arm back. It was pretty easy to do since Nick was weak from the injuries. Within a few seconds as the drug began to go into his bloodstream, Nick relaxed and his arm dropped.

Dr. Gaynor entered the room. He was able to access Nick now that he was unconscious. The heart beats were normal again and Nick looked peaceful.

“What is wrong with Nick, why did he act that way?” Jess was scared and confused. The first thing that popped into her head was the mention of the brain injury and the chance of brain damage. This definitely was not Nick.

“Jess,” Dr. Gaynor spoke as he sat in a chair. “You remember that Nick has been through a lot with this accident?”

Jessica nodded her head in agreement.

“And you remember that he took a pretty good blow to his head when he hit the steering wheel and the door. I believe that Nick’s reactions right now can best be described as “shell shock”. In otherwords, when you have had a serious event happen to you, and your body, sometimes the system is so overwhelmed that mixed messages are sent and the responses are out of order.”

“The nurse said that he was lethargic, what does that mean?” Jess anxiously asked.

“When you are lethargic, that is when you have a head injury and you are not appropriately responding to outside stimuli. It can happen when you have a concussion, which would be one of Nick’s injuries. You appear to be here physically, but your brain is still asleep, it’s almost like sleepwalking. He could have been hallucinating. We have given Nick something to calm him down and rest, so that he can gradually wake up again. I was concerned that he would do more damage to the surgery he had or injure something else further.”

“How long do you think he’ll be asleep?” Jess wondered.

“I’m not sure, he may not wake up until tomorrow. I think it would be a good idea for you to go and take a break young lady, this would be a good time to do that since I can honestly tell you that he will not wake up again for hours.” Dr. Gaynor smiled and patted Jess on the hand.

Jess stood up and kissed Nick’s cheek. She decided to walk outside and get some fresh air to clear her head. Once she got off the elevator and walked out the front door, she saw the large group of Nick’s fans that were standing on the front lawn keeping a vigil. Jess was glad that she was still an “uncelebrity” and that no one knew that she was Nick Carter’s girlfriend.

She heard someone in the crowd talking, “Hey, I think that’s the girl I saw walking in with Brian Littrell. Do you think she’s Nick’s girlfriend?”

Jess kept walking as if she didn’t hear the girl. It would be only a matter of time before they would figure her out.

Chapter 6 by Jenna
Chapter Six
Jessica heard moaning coming from Nick which woke her from her sleep in the oversized chair in the ICU. She stood up and smoothed his hair back from his face. Nick’s eyes fluttered open and his eyes focused on her face. His eyebrows furrowed and she could tell he was confused.

“Hi sleepyhead. I’ve been waiting for you to wake up.” Jess smiled at Nick.

Nick opened his mouth to talk, but nothing came out. He cleared his throat and tried again. “Where am I?” Nick’s voice was barely audible.

“You are at Tampa Bay Hospital, you were in a car accident.”

Jess looked into Nick’s eyes to see if anything was registering. Nick licked his dry lips and tried to speak again. “What happened?” His voice was still weak, it was hard to hear him.

“You went out for a drive, to clear your mind, like you usually do, except that you were going a little fast and a truck pulled out in front of you, he ran a red light and hit you on your side of the car.” Jess explained.

Nick opened his eyes slowly and turned his head gingerly and looked at the equipment that was by his bed. He turned and looked at Jessica. He appeared to look her over. He licked his lips again and then cleared his throat. “Was anyone with me?” he asked hoarsely.

“No, you were in the car alone.”

Nick closed his eyes again. Jess could tell his eyes were moving under the lids. “Are you thirsty?” Jess asked.

Nick managed to nod his head slightly. “I’ll press the nurse button and see what we can do for you. How are you feeling?” Jess was hoping he wasn’t in a lot of pain.

Nick didn’t answer right away. It seemed to be that he was accessing his body. His response was limited. “My head hurts and my side and stomach.”

The nurse came into the room. “Yes? Oh, I see we are awake now. How are you doing?”

Nick smiled weakly. It wasn’t even a smile. “K.” that was all he could manage to say.

“Could he have some ice chips or something? His mouth is dry.” Jess asked the nurse.

“I think we could do that for him. I’ll be right back.”

Nick closed his eyes. He was so tired, he had never felt this tired in his life. He drifted off to sleep. By the time the nurse came back with his ice, Nick was already sleeping. She put the cup on the bedstand and used the opportunity to check his vitals again and the IV’s. She smiled as she walked out of the room.

Jess decided to call Bob and Jane and Brian and let them know that Nick was out of the coma. She walked down the hall towards a lounge. She looked at the clock and saw that it was past 11:30 p.m. She hesitated on calling Nick’s parents because they would be sleeping. “I should call them and wake them up anyway, I would want to know that my child was getting better.” Jess thought to herself as she dialed their phone number.

“Hello,” it was Bob Carter that answered the phone. He did not sound as if he had been woken up.

“Hi, Bob, this is Jess.” Jess waiting for a response from him before she continued.

“Yes, Jess, Hi. How is Nick, any change?” Bob asked anxiously.

“Yes, that’s why I am calling. Nick finally woke up about an hour ago! It was good to see him awake. He is pretty weak, but he seems to be fine.” Jess excitedly told Nick’s father.

“Oh, that is good news. So there doesn’t seem to be any brain injuries?” Bob asked.

“No, he did have a problem the first time he woke up, he didn’t act like himself at all, but the doctor gave him something to put him back to sleep and when he woke up the next time, he was fine.”

“So he can move, I mean, his spine isn’t injured?” Nick’s dad was anxious for the news.

Jess stopped before she answered, that was the one thing that Nick didn’t mention and she didn’t ask. She tried to recall quickly whether she saw his legs move or not. She must have because she would have remembered if she didn’t.”

“I guess, we didn’t really talk about that and Nick didn’t say anything about his legs. He said his head, side and stomach hurt.” Jess hoped that this would satisfy Bob.

“Oh, that’s good news. I’m glad you called. Is there anything you need?” Nick’s dad asked.

“No, I’m fine. So I’ll see you tomorrow?” Jess asked.

“Count on it, we will be there sometime after 9:00. Thanks again for the good news. Bye.”

“Goodnight.” Jess replied and then hung the phone up.

She pulled another thirty-five cents out of her pocket and dialed Brian’s number. His answering machine picked up the call. That was not unusual for the guys to do that, they were constantly getting calls from girls that discover their numbers. She listened to the dull message on his machine: “Hi, you have reached 497-6695, please leave your name and message at the tone, thanks.”

“Wildcat, are you there, this is Jess.” Jessica had to use the code word so that Brian would pick up his phone. All of the guys had code names when they were screening their calls. Nick’s was Gooch. What a stupid nickname, Jess thought to herself.

“Yeah,” Brian answered. He sounded like he was asleep.

“Hey, it’s me, Jess. I wanted to let you know how Nick was doing.” Jess waiting to see if Brian was more alert.

“Oh, hi. How is he?”

“Much better, he’s come out of the coma about an hour ago. I just called his parents to let them know. Oh, Brian, it was so good to talk to Nick again. I was so scared.” Jess poured her heart out to Brian. She repeated the same story to him that she shared with Nick’s parents.

“Can he move at all?” Brian asked.

Jessica was starting to get scared. That seemed to be the only question she could not answer. She couldn’t remember if he did move his legs. She knew that he was moving his arms.

“Yeah, I guess so. I was so happy to hear him talk, I didn’t really notice him moving his legs. He complained that his head, stomach and side hurt so he must be okay.” Jess answered with a worried tone in her voice.

“Oh, don’t worry, I’m sure he is okay, you know Nick...” Brian’s voice trailed off. “I plan on stopping in again tomorrow. Kev will be coming along with me. Is there anything you want me to bring along?” Brian offered.

“No, I’ll be okay.” Jess really needed a change of clothes, but she felt silly asking.

“You don’t sound too sure of yourself, what do you need?” Brian asked, “I told you anything you need, I can get you.”

“It’s silly, or I guess stupid, could you grab on of your tee shirts or something, I just need to change, I don’t know what I was thinking when I went home with you the other day.” Jess talked quickly, she was embarrassed.

“Not a problem, and you were thinking the same thing I was thinking, that Nick would be okay and coming home quickly. We will take care of you, remember, we’re family.” Brian reminded her what all the guys in the band say. They are a close knit group and watch out for one another.

“Thanks Brian.” Jess sighed.

“You’re welcome. Hey, give Nick a big squeeze on his foot and tell him it’s from me. I would tell you to give him a kiss, but well, I would rather do that in person. It’s more meaningful.” Brian laughed.

“Will do, Brian. Bye.” Jess laughed.

“C-ya later.” Brian hung the phone up.

Jessica walked back to Nick’s room after she stopped at the pantry on the floor to grab a cup of coffee. As she approached the door to Nick’s room, there were two girls dressing hospital garb talking to the security guard.

“But we’re from housekeeping and we need to go into that room.” Jess could tell right away that they did not work for the hospital, that they were fans.

“Where are your id badges then?” the guard asked impatiently.

“Uh, we forgot to put them on before we left home.” the girls said in unison.

“Sorry, no id, no entry. Have a nice night ladies and you better leave the hospital before I have you removed for trespassing.”

Jessica was walking towards the door and the girls were looking straight at her. Their mouths dropped open when Jess walked past them and opened the door to go in. Privately, Jess laughed inside. It was great to be able to do that.

Nick was still sleeping when she sat down and turned the television on. He started to stir as she sat down. Jess muted the volume on the TV thinking that was bothering Nick.

Nick softly moaned. She looked over at him to see if there was a problem. He opened his eyes slowly.

“Hey babe.” Jess softly spoke to him.

Nick turned his head slowly towards Jess. He could smell the coffee and that’s what woke him.

“Is the TV bothering you? I’ll turn it off if it is.” Jess offered.

Nick shook his head slowly. He swallowed and tried to form words to talk. “It’s k.” He spoke very quietly and you could tell how weak he was.

“Did you want some of your ice now?” Jess looked at the cup. It was filled with water, the ice had melted.

Nick nodded.

“I’ll go get you some fresh ice, be right back.” Jess got up quickly. She set her coffee cup on the bedstand. She hurried to get back to the room before he drifted off to sleep again.

Nick watched her walk out of the room. He was still having a hard time remembering what happened to him. The last thing he remembered was playing basketball with Brian. He could not remember the car accident. As he laid there, he checked out his body mentally. The first thing he did was run his tongue over his teeth, as if to do an inventory to see if they were still there. He noticed that his tongue hurt to use.

The next thing Nick did was move his arms and looked at the cuts and scrapes on them. He knew his side and stomach hurt, but he didn’t know why. He looked down at the foot of his bed. It was then that he noticed that he didn’t have any feelings in his legs. He tried to move his feet but there wasn’t any response at all. He took his hand and touched his thighs, he could feel them with his hand but his legs didn’t feel anything. “Oh my god, what is going on?” Nick thought to himself. “This is not real, I don’t understand this.”

“I’m back.” Jess announced when she came back. She looked at Nick and could see the worry on his face. “What’s wrong, Nicky?” Jess asked.

“How am I hurt?” Nick was barely able to get the words out. Jess had to strain to hear the words.

“Um, first, I want to take some ice,” Jess tried to use that time to think of how to explain his injuries. Nick opened his mouth to take some ice. All Jess could think of was a baby bird with it’s mouth open.

“When you were hit, your head hit the steering wheel and the car door, and you were in a coma for about a day and a half. The accident happened on Saturday afternoon, it is now Monday morning. The doctors were concerned that because of the swelling on the brain that there could be some brain damage.” Jess looked at Nick to see if he was understanding. Nick kept looking at her taking in all of the information. She continued, “You broke all of the ribs on your left side, which would account for the pain on your side and one of the ribs punctured your left lung. They had to put a tube into the lung to drain the fluids from it and to open it back up. Then they had to take you to surgery yesterday morning because you had some internal bleeding. You had some cuts on your liver that they fixed.” Jess did not want to offer any more information. She was hoping to skip the part about his spine hoping that there wasn’t a problem with that.

“What about my legs?’” Nick asked quietly.

“What do you mean?” Jess knew what was coming and she was afraid of getting emotional, afraid of concerning Nick.

“I can’t feel them.” Nick look scared.

“You can’t? That um, that could be temporary. Dr. Gaynor said that you bruised your spine in the accident. It must still be swollen, I mean you can move your arms so it must be a matter of time before your legs will be working. You’ve been through so much Nick and it hasn’t been that long. I’m sure we’ll know more in the morning.” Jess tried desperately to soothe Nick. She kissed him on the cheek.

Nick closed his eyes. It looked like he accepted that idea for now. Jess was hoping that what she said was true. “It has to be true, Nick would not be the same if he couldn’t dance, perform.” Jess thought to herself.

The late news was on and Jess turned the volume up a little when a picture of Nick was on the TV. She listened intently to the newscaster:

Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys is in critical but stable condition following a two car fatal accident near his home in Florida Saturday afternoon. Witnesses say that a pickup truck driven by Wayne Henderson of Plant City ran a red light and slammed into the vehicle driven by Carter. The driver of the truck died at the scene. A hospital spokesperson stated that Carter had underwent surgery to stem internal bleeding and he remains in a coma.

Jessica knew that the information the television provided was old, Nick was out of the coma now and looked pretty good. Hopefully tomorrow will bring more good news for a change. She dialed up a few channels and stopped on MTV. They were playing the latest BSB music video. Jess’s heart skipped a beat watching Nicky dancing. He was so fun to watch. He practiced so hard on perfecting the moves to that video. He was having so much fun doing it.

When the video ended, the V-jay was updating Nick’s condition:

Nick Carter was injured in a fatal two-car accident near his home in Tampa, Florida. He was injured when a driver of a pickup truck ran a red light and hit Carter’s vehicle on the driver’s side. The driver of the truck was killed instantly. Carter was transported to Tampa Bay Hospital and was reported to be in a coma earlier, but a hospital spokesperson reports that he is coming out of the coma and is responding to questions. We will keep you updated on his condition as details unfold.

They showed a picture of the hospital with the crowd that had gathered and was keeping a vigil. Then there was a clip of Brian and Nick’s parents leaving the hospital.

Brian Littrell and Bob and Jane Carter left the hospital early Sunday afternoon. Littrell is a close friend of Nick Carter’s and was keeping vigil after the accident.

Jess could tell that Brian was nervous walking from the hospital. In the video clip she could hear fans screaming. She felt sickened to think that at a time like that girls were still stalking the guys.
Chapter 7 by Jenna
Jess was startled by the noise of the door opening. A nurse was coming in with new IV’s and a syringe. “Do you know what time it is?” Jess asked the nurse quietly.

“It’s 7:15.” the nurse answered back quietly.

Nick started to wake up. He looked over at the nurse that was pushing medication through his IV. She smiled at Nick. She was looking at her watch while she was injecting the medication.

“How are you feeling, need anything?” she asked Nick.

Before Nick could answer, another nurse appeared in the doorway. She also had a syringe. “Jill, I’m here to take another draw,” the short blonde nurse announced. She was dressed in a smock that had the Barney the dinosaur prints on it.

“Hey Nick, look, it’s Barney.” Jess teased.

“Ha ha.” Nick answered back dryly. It was barely audible.

The nurses laughed along. It was hard to make small talk with their patient. They knew his celebrity status and felt a little intimidated by it.

As the nurse put the needle into Nick’s arm, he winced. “Oh, I’m sorry honey,” the nurse replied.

The IV nurse was finishing up and asked Nick if he needed anything for pain. Nick nodded. He felt worse since he woke up. His stomach was hurting.

Dr. Gaynor entered the room. He was doing his usual morning rounds. “Good morning, I’m glad to hear we have someone back with us this morning.” Dr. Gaynor smiled at Nick.

“I’m Dr. Gaynor, I was on call when they brought you in Saturday.” The doctor rubbed Nick’s shoulder when he spoke. He set the chart on the bedstand. “I’ve been anxious to examine you once you were awake. You can tell me more this way then when you were unconscious.”

Dr. Gaynor started to do the vitals, listening to Nick’s chest, checking his eyes and ears. Then he started doing tests that he had not been able to do before. He took a pen light and held in front of Nick’s face.

“Follow the light with just your eyes.” Dr. Gaynor instructed.

Jess watched Nick’s eyes as they tracked the light perfectly.

“Okay, now can you drop your chin to your chest like this?” Dr. Gaynor demonstrated by lowering his chin to his chest in one motion.

Nick tried to copy the motion but could only get his head partway down.

“That’s fine, don’t worry about not getting it all the way down, that’s to be expected right now.” the doctor tried to reassure Nick and Jessica.

The doctor then pulled the blankets back. He asked Jessica to turn away for a moment while he checked Nick’s incision.

“OK, you can look back again. I just needed to look at the incision to make sure everything was doing well.”

The doctor then pulled the blankets all the way back exposing Nick’s legs. He pushed down on Nick’s right big toe.

“Nick, can you push back on my hand?” Dr. Gaynor asked.

Jess looked at Nick as he tried. His eyebrows were drawn and he struggled to move the hand. Dr. Gaynor tried the same thing with his left foot, without success.

“I would like to order some more tests to see what is going on and how his spine looks. There was quite a bit of swelling when he was admitted and we may have to change the dosage of the steroid we are using to reduce the swelling.” the doctor explained.

“Nick, it is a little too early to be concerned about your not being able to move your legs. Your body went through a traumatic injury and the body needs time to heal. The tests could reveal a few more things that we may have missed and I would like to look at them before I make any more decisions. Are there any questions you have for me?” Dr. Gaynor asked as he stood up.

Both Nick and Jess looked at each other. The doctor answered any question they would have when he talked about paralysis and the possibility that it may be temporary.

“I know you’re anxious to be one hundred percent better, but these things take time. When you are starting to feel better, we will want to start physical and occupational therapy.” the doctor stated.

“How long until then?” Jess asked.

“I would expect no earlier than the end of the week if things go okay.” Dr. Gaynor responded.

“How does Nick’s bloodwork look?” Jess was hoping that it was improving.

Dr. Gaynor took the chart from the bedstand and thumbed through it. “Well, the most recent draw shows his hemoglobin level at ten point eight, which is still low, but he is improving. I expect that the latest draw should come in the same or a few points higher.”

“Anything you need, Nick?” Dr. Gaynor asked before he was leaving.

“He asked the nurse for something for the pain and she hasn’t come back yet.” Jess answered.

“Where do you hurt, Nick?” Dr. Gaynor asked.

Nick tried to speak up. Nothing came out the first time. He swallowed and then managed to say, “My stomach.” Nick was very weak and the words barely came out.

“He is still so weak, is this normal?” Jess was concerned.

“It will take some time for Nick to get his strength back.” Dr. Gaynor responded. “I’ll see if that nurse is coming back with the medication.”

Dr. Gaynor left the room. Jess smoothed Nick’s hair off his forehead. “I’m sure the nurse will be in soon.”

Just as Jess finished, a nurse did return with a syringe. She injected the medication into the IV line.

“Would you like to get a fresh gown on and maybe get cleaned up a little?” the nurse asked Nick.

“Yeah.” Nick mumbled.

“I’ll bring the things in and Jessica can wash you up, unless you would rather someone else did it,” the nurse inquired.

Nick was shocked to think of some stranger giving him a sponge bath. “She can.” Nick smiled at Jess weakly.

“When can he get his hair washed?” Jess asked the nurse. His blonde hair was almost dark brown from the blood that had stained it.

“We could send someone in to do that for you. We have a kit that can be sent up. Would you like to have your hair washed?” the nurse asked Nick in an upbeat way.

Nick managed to nod his head slightly.

“Okay, I’ll put a call in for that and hopefully it will be here quickly. I’ll be back in a sec with the stuff for him to get cleaned up.”

“Would you like the TV on or listen to some music? Something to take your mind off being washed by yours truly?” Jess winked at Nick.

“TV is k.” Nick answered back.

Jess turned the TV on as the nurse came back with the supplies for his sponge bath. She told Jess that the basin to wash his hair was on the way and she would be back in to do that.

Jessica went over to the sink with the tub and filled it with warm water. The nurse supplied her with a washcloth and some baby bath and baby powder. She made a mental note to go down to the pharmacy later to get some toiletries for Nick. She came back and set the tub on the bedstand and started by gently washing Nick’s face.

“Let me know if I hurt you, I’m scared to do this.” Jess said as she washed where his face was scraped the worst.

“Feels good.” Nick whispered. He closed his eyes while she washed him and dried him off, a section at a time. She got done with his feet when there was a knock at the door. It opened slightly.

“Is it okay to come in with the basin?” the nurse asked from the other side of the door.

“Yup, I’m just finishing his feet.” Jess replied.

The nurse walked in. “Don’t you feel better, Nick?” she asked as she walked over to the sink.

Nick smiled. He did feel good, it was amazing how good he felt after something so simple.

The nurse set up the basin and did the tedious job of washing his hair. The water was brown from the blood that was being rinsed out of it. After she shampooed his hair and rinsed it twice she gently toweled it dry.

“I’ll bet that feels good. I can’t stand it when my hair isn’t washed everyday, bet you were going crazy.” the nurse was making idle conversation to put Nick at ease. “Now you’ll be up for your family to come and see you.”

Jess looked at Nick’s face. His cheeks had better color in them since the bath and his eyes seemed to look brighter. She could tell by looking at him that he did feel better.
Chapter 8 by Jenna
The door opened slowly and Brian’s face peeked around it. “Is it okay to come in?” he asked sheepishly.

“Sure, come in.” Jessica stood up.

Brian walked in the room followed by Kevin. Nick was asleep. Brian hugged Jessica and then Kevin went to her and gave her a tight hug.

“How are you doing?” Kevin asked.

“Okay.” Jess looked up at him. He was so tall, but Nick was still taller.

Both boys walked over to Nick’s bed. Kevin looked at Nick’s bruised face. It was the first time he had seen Nick in over a week. They were on a mini vacation before they would leave on for their new album release.

“How long has he been sleeping?” Brian asked. He was anxious to talk to Nick. He didn’t want to wake him up.

“About an hour. His mom and dad were here a while ago and he fell asleep while they were here.” Jess spoke softly.

“Anything new in his condition?” Brian asked.

“The doctor wants to do some new tests to find out the extent of any permanent damage to his spine. He is hoping that maybe a new steroid will help with the swelling and that may be the whole problem with his legs.”

Nick coughed. He was starting to wake up. His eyes slowly opened and he looked at Kevin. He looked puzzled to see him standing there.

“Hey Chaos. How ya doin’?” Kevin smiled at Nick.

Nick managed a smile at Kevin. He slowly turned his head towards Brian and Jessica.

“Nicky, my boy.” Brian smiled. “I’ve been waiting to talk to you. You’ve had us pretty worried.”

Nick’s response was a smile back at Brian. He slowly closed his eyes and opened them again. The drugs that he was getting was making him very sleepy. It was a struggle to keep his eyes open and talk.

“Hey.” Nick finally was able to get the word out. Kevin touched his friend on the shoulder. He knew it was hard for Nick to talk right now. As he looked at Nick he had to fight back the tears that he could feel burning his eyes. It was hard for him to take this. Nick was too young to have anything like this happen.

“How are you feeling?” Kevin asked Nick.

“Road kill.” Nick joked. Everyone laughed. Nick was still cracking jokes even though he was feeling crappie. That was Nick, he hates to see anyone down.

“Seriously?” Brian asked.

“He should feel pretty damn good.” Jessica snapped back lightly. “I gave him a sponge bath this morning, he refused the chance of having a nurse give him one.”

The guys looked at Nick.

“Is this true, Nick? I can’t believe you passed the chance on a gorgeous nurse toweling your body down, you must of got hit in the head really hard,” Brian joked.

“Hey, wait a minute, I think I can be just a gorgeous as any damn nurse, and maybe better than any damn nurse. I give courteous professional service.” Jessica interjected.

“True, I guess Nick was afraid they would have sent in some 450 pound woman to attend to his needs.” Kevin replied.

They laughed at Nick’s expense. Nick smiled a half-hearted smile. There was so much he could say back, but he didn’t have the energy. Just as things died down in the room, an orderly came in.

“I need to take you down for some tests, can I see your wrist?” the orderly kept his head down and didn’t make eye contact with anyone in the room. He acted painfully shy.

“What tests?” Jessica asked.

“He needs to have an MRI, CT scan and few other tests with contrast or dye.” the orderly stated.

Nick’s nurse came into the room as the orderly was verifying the information on his chart with Nick’s hospital bracelet.

“Sorry, we have to steal Nick for a while. These things always seem to happen when you have company, never fails,” she apologized. “Jessica, I think it would be a good idea for you to take a breather, Nick will be gone for a few hours from his room and you can’t accompany him into the rooms for the tests, don’t you think so, Nick?” the nurse looked at Nick for approval.

“Go on.” Nick said softly, “I’ll be OK.”

“Yeah, Jess, you can come with Kev and me. We’ll take you somewhere to rest. Nick will be okay.” Brian pulled at Jessica’s arm.

“Are you sure you want me to go?” Jess asked Nick.

Nick nodded his head slowly. He closed his eyes. Jess touched his shoulder. Nick slowly opened his eyes and looked into her eyes. Jessica bent over and gave Nick a soft kiss on the lips.

“I love you, Nick. I’ll be back soon.” she whispered into his ear.

of Nick smiled faintly. “Love you too.” No one could hear what he said, but Jess could read his lips.

Brian, Jess and Kevin waited until they took Nick in his bed out of the room to the elevator.

“Are ye ready to go, miss?” Brian asked Jess in a corny Irish accent.

“Sure,” Jess replied.

“Ok, let’s hit the road.” Kevin opened the door for Brian and Jessica.

They got on the elevator and Kevin and Brian put their hats on and sunglasses. They were preparing to go out in public. Jessica couldn’t help but laugh. When she looked at them all she could see was Kevin and Brian.

“What’s so funny? “ Brian asked her with a puzzled look on his face.

“Nothing, it’s just that I know it’s you guys, you wouldn’t fool me one bit.” Jessica laughed.

“Hehehehe.” Kevin imitated her laugh. “Remember your smart remarks when we get to the car, funny girl.”

The elevator stopped on the lobby floor. All three of them walked out and through the crowd in the lobby. So far so good, Brian thought to himself as they got to the front door. As soon as they opened the door, the roar of the crowd on the front lawn hit them.

“Ohmygod, it’s Brian and Kevin,” some girls screamed in the crowd.

“Hold on tight Jess, we’ve gotta make a run for the car.” Brian shouted as they started to run. He knew from experience that the crowd was going to rush them. Sure enough, when they started to run, there were several girls chasing them screaming and crying.

They made it to Kevin’s car and no one wasted time arguing about who was going to drive, sit in front or whatever. They slid in and Kevin started the car and put it in reverse. He didn’t care about the people that were standing behind the car, he knew that they would move.

They sped out of the parking lot and onto the busy street. Kevin and Brian both glanced at each other and high-fived.

“Is this what you guys go through a lot lately?” Jess asked.

“Just recently,” Brian said. “The fans know that we would be at the hospital visiting Nick, so naturally, they are looking for us and scrutinize every body that walks past them. When you put a good looking guy like me, with an old man like Kevin, well, you do the math.”

“Hey, that’s uncalled for.” Kevin shot back.

Jessica laughed at them. They made her feel good. For a few moments she forgot about Nick being so sick.

“How about grabbing a bite to eat, Jess you up for it?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, I guess I am a little hungry.” Jessica answered.

“Where do you wanna go?” Kevin asked.

“I don’t care, you’re the driver,” Jessica told Kevin.

“Awh, I hate making decisions like this. What are you hungry for? Jess, Brian?” Kevin tried to take the pressure off of himself.

“I don’t care.” Jess and Brian said. “Come-on, I want to know,” Kevin sounded irritated. “I hate deciding. Brian, you make up your mind, you always are the one that does when we’re on the road.”

“No I don’t, Howie does.” Brian answered back.

“Well, Howie isn’t in the car now, is he?” Kevin shot back sarcastically.

“Then I’ll call him.” Brian picked up his cellphone.

“You guys are both morons.” Jessica laughed as she watched Brian dial the phone.

“Damnit, he isn’t answering his phone. Must be in the shower or something.” Brian said when he shut his phone off.

“Well, we could drive around for a few hours to kill time and then we can run out of gas and starve to death, what’s it gonna be?” Kevin was pleading by now.

“I’m not hungry anymore.” Jess snickered.

Kevin shot a look at her in his rearview mirror. “Don’t make me turn this car around and head back,” he teased.

“I’m hungry for a nice juicy steak,” Brian decided outloud.

As luck would have it, they were stopped at an intersection with an Outback Steakhouse located 500 feet away. Kevin wasted no time pulling in.

“Glad that’s decided.” Kevin said as they found a parking spot. The restaurant looked crowded.

They walked into the restaurant and were seated right away. There was a mixture of age groups in the restaurant. The older ones didn’t seem to notice Kevin and Brian, but the younger ones....

“Um, hi, could I get your autographs?” a girl who appeared to be around fourteen stood at the table holding onto a napkin and a pen.

Kevin and Brian looked at each other. Brian took the girl’s napkin and pen and signed his name quickly. Kevin did the same after Brian. As the girl was leaving, they saw a few more kids heading over to the table. “Man, this could go on all through dinner, Kev. Ya know we shouldn’t of signed her stuff.” Brian sighed.

Just as the girls were getting closer to their table, they were cut off by the manager of the restaurant. They could hear him tell the girls that they needed to sit down and leave us alone. The girls turned away and went back to their seats.

“Sorry about that,” the manager came over to their table and apologized for the intrusion.

“Thanks.” Kevin and Brian said together.

Their waitress came and took their orders. Brian told her that it was to be on one check and that Kevin was getting it. Kevin smiled at Brian with a look that said “I’ll get even with you later.” They spent the time waiting talking like Australians making jokes in an accent. Jessica forgot about how junior high school acting these guys can get to be.

“Eh, look over there, that lady, the one with the blue hair, it’s me mum.” Brian said in an Aussie accent.

Jessica rolled her eyes while she laughed at Brian. “You guys are too retarded.”

“Why thank ye mate.” Brian replied. When they got served their food and was part way into the meal, a man appeared and took several quick photos of the group.

“Hey, we’re eating, do you mind?” Kevin was visibly angry.

The photographer left the area quickly when the manager escorted him to the door.

“I hate when that happens, I know that we are going to be photographed, but not while we’re eating, for crying out loud.” Kevin was still peeved about the paparazzi.

When the meal was finished and they were leaving the restaurant, there was a group of photographers across the parking lot. Cameras simultaneously flashed. Kevin, Brian and Jess focused on getting to the car and getting out of there.
Chapter 9 by Jenna
Jess, Kevin and Brian were relieved when they made it to the hospital elevator. The crowd had grown and there was a lot of screaming when they ran to the hospital doors. As long as Jess was with them when they got to Nick’s room, they wouldn’t have to stop by the security guard for entry.

When they got off on the fourth floor, they saw that there were five girls standing with the security guard trying to get into Nick’s room. The girls stared in disbelief as they watched Brian and Kevin walk past them with Jessica. Jess pointed to her badge around her neck in a discreet manner to clue the guard in on her privileges without having to stop.

They found Nick sleeping once inside the room. Brian and Kevin quietly found a chair and sat down on one side of the bed so that Jess could be with Nick on the other side.

Nick had the television on so at least they had something to do besides stare at Nick while he was sleeping. The station was on MTV and by coincidence, they were showing a Backstreet Boys video. Jess watched Nick on the TV dancing to their new song, I Want it That Way which had been released recently. She wondered how long it would be before Nick was able to perform again, or if he would be able to perform again.

“That was a lot of fun with the fans in the background.” Kevin said softly. “Nicky was so shy around them, I think he was kinda afraid that he would get sucked into the crowd even in a controlled environment where we were filming. Some bad memories take a long time to go away.”

Kevin was talking about the time they were on tour in Orlando. Some fans got over excited and Nick bent over on stage to take some stuff the girls had held up for him. When he reached out, someone grabbed his arm and pulled him into the audience. It didn’t take much time for the security to respond and grab Nick and pull him to safety and back onto the stage. Except for getting a good bruise on his butt, Nick was okay and a little shaken.

Nick moaned softly. He opened his eyes and looked at Brian and Kevin sitting beside him. He smiled.

“Hey Nick, how you feeling?” Kevin asked.

“Sore.” was all that Nick managed to say.

Jessica leaned over and gave Nick a kiss on the cheek. His skin felt hot. Jess looked at him closer and noticed his face was flushed.

“Are you warm, Nick?” Jess asked.

“No, cold.” Nick whispered.

Jessica pulled the covers up to get him warmer. This was the answer she was hoping Nick would have told her, he was shivering and she knew that he was chilled.

“I think I’m gonna call your nurse to come in and take a look at you, I think you may be running a temp.” Jessica prayed that her assumptions were wrong.

Jess pressed the call button and the nurse entered the room almost instantly. She was holding a syringe which meant that she was planning on coming in before Jess had hit the call button.

“ESP.” Brian commented.

“I was coming in to give Nick his IV meds, the doctor ordered a change in the steroids we were giving him.” the nurse stated as she was pushing the medication into the IV line. Was there something Nick needs?” she looked up at Nick briefly.

“I thought Nick looked a little flushed and he feels hot to me. Nick says he’s cold and he was shivering too. Am I being over-concerned or what?” Jess ran the words together because she was so nervous.

“Okay, when I’m done with his IV I’ll come back and check his temperature.” the nurse said as she was still pushing the IV. “Nick are you comfortable as far as pain?” she asked.

Nick made an attempt to shrug his shoulders. He didn’t know if he was comfortable or not, his chest hurt and his stomach. Nothing really changed as far as pain since he had been awake from his coma.

“Would you like something for the pain?” the nurse asked.

Nick nodded. He didn’t like getting pain medication because it made him so sleepy, but everything they had given him so far made him tired anyway.

The nurse left and was back with a thermometer and a syringe for pain medication. She took the thermometer and inserted it into Nick’s left ear. A beep went off almost instantly. She looked at the reading and reset it and tried it again. The beep went off quickly again.

“What it is?” Jess wondered.

“It’s one hundred four point two.” she replied.

Jessica could tell that she was concerned. Nick was burning up, the fever was much too high which could mean that he was fighting an infection of some type.

She gave Nick his pain medication through the IV line. No one talked in the room while she was working. When she finished, she left the room.

Nick stared at the television sleepily. The medication was starting to slowly work. Pretty soon he would be asleep again. He was trying to fight that part of the medicine but was losing the battle. His eyelids were getting heavy.

“That’s okay buddy,” Brian talked to Nick. “Go ahead and rest, you need it.”

Nick accepted Brian’s suggestion without question. As he drifted off to sleep he was startled awake by a stabbing pain in his arm. He opened his eyes to find a lab technician beside him drawing more blood.

“Ohgod.” Nick muttered. He was getting sick of all the tests that they were doing. It seemed like an endless cycle of x-rays and lab tests. When were they going to stop this shit. Nick thought to himself. He knew that they were only doing this for the good of his health, but enough was enough. If he could get up out of the bed, he would and walk away just to escape all of it.

“I’m sorry, did I hurt you?” the tech asked Nick.

“No, I’m just tired.” Nick spoke up. Jessica was kind of startled at how much more clearer his voice was this time and it was more than two words.

“Why are they taking more blood, I thought they were happy with doing a blood draw once a day for his iron levels.” Jessica was trying to defend Nick since it seemed he was getting tired of the whole thing.

“The doctor ordered this test a little bit ago. I’ll have his nurse come in if you have any questions.” the tech replied as she took the vial of blood and shook it and then labeled it and put it back into her cart.

Just as the tech walked out of the room the door was opened wide and the portable x-ray machine came into the room. The x-ray technician was an overly friendly man who cheerfully announced that he needed to take a picture of Nick’s chest.

“Oh god not this again.” Nick hated having that x-ray taken because of how they had to position him and move him. His ribs were still healing but moving was painful. It hurt to take a deep breath when he would want to speak up.

“Sorry dude, doctors orders.” The tech smiled as he got the film and placed it behind Nick’s back.

“I need you people to step out into the hall, for your safety.”

Jessica, Brian and Kevin walked out into the hallway while the technician took the films.

For your safety, Nick thought to himself, what about my safety?

As he was enduring the x-rays, Jess, Kevin and Brian stood out in the hallway across from Nick’s room. Nick’s nurse walked over to them to tell them what was going on.

“I called his doctor after I saw that his temperature had gone up and he wanted some blood tests and x-rays to rule out a few things.”

“What does he suspect?” Brian asked.

“A rise in his temperature could indicate many things such as an infection, pneumonia, anything. He wants to look at the tests before he can determine what is going on.” she replied. “I will make sure you know as soon as we know.”

The x-ray tech wheeled the machine out of the room. Jess wished she could ask him what the films looked like but knew that he would not tell her. The group walked back into Nick’s room only to find him laying there with his face distorted in pain.

“Is there something I can get you?” Jess asked Nick.

All Nick could do was shake his head. It hurt to breathe. He was blaming it on the x-rays not knowing that something terrible was going on in his body. He coughed and moaned after he coughed.

Brian and Kevin decided that it would be best for them to leave so that Nick could get some rest. They each said goodbye to Nick either by grabbing his shoulder or messing his hair.

Jess got up and hugged Brian and then Kevin and thanked them for coming up and staying with them for awhile.

“Call us and let us know.” Kevin said as they were leaving.

“See you later.” Brian smiled at Jess and Nick.
Chapter 10 by Jenna
Jessica had drifted off to sleep in the chair beside Nick’s bed. She woke up when she heard Nick coughing and the warning bell on the oxygen monitor. The level numbers had gone down to an 86 satuation level. Jess tried to wake Nick up so that he would quit coughing and take a few deep breaths.

Nick woke up still coughing and trying to catch his breath. It hurt with each gulp of air that he took. The air seemed to sear his lungs.

A nurse burst into the room and saw the oxygen levels and immediately turned up the oxygen that Nick was getting and hit the code blue button behind his bed. Within minutes a team of medical personnel were in Nick’s room and surrounded his bed.

Jessica stood back from the bed and watched from a corner in the room. She watched in disbelief as the medical personnel were working frantically on Nick. From where Jess was standing she could still see Nick’s face. She could tell that he was no longer conscious and that his lips were a bluish-gray. She put her hand to her mouth, “Oh my god, he isn’t gone, he can’t be gone.” Jess thought to herself as she looked at Nick. He looked to her as if he was dead.

The next thing she saw them do made her start to cry. They pulled Nick’s head back and inserted a breathing tube into his throat.

“Oh, please not this again, she thought. He’s supposed to be getting better, not worse.”

Once the device was in place and the machine started pumping oxygen into Nick’s lungs, the color returned to his face and mouth. Most of the medical personnel remained in the room checking the apparatus and Nick. His nurse came over the Jess to talk with her.

“Honey, he’s stable now,” the nurse said as she put her arm around Jessica.

“What’s happening to him?” Jess was shocked.

“We had to put another tube down into his throat to help him breathe. Nick has developed pneumonia and was unable to breathe and that’s what caused his attack. We needed to get oxygen to him quickly and tubing him was the only way to go other than going cutting his throat and putting a tube in there,” the nurse knew how important it was to avoid the throat and said something to the medical personnel when they were working on Nick.

“How long will this have to stay in?” Jess knew that Nick would freak when he awoke to find tubes in his mouth.

“Hopefully not too long, they will wait to see how Nick does when he wakes up and check his lungs. We are going to put a stronger antibiotic in his IV to try to push the pneumonia out. I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Nick’s nurse excused herself as she walked out the door.

Jessica walked over to the bed and stroked Nick’s hair away from his forehead. She hated the hissing sound of the respirator. It almost was as if Nick was back to where he started and wouldn’t get better.
Chapter 11 by Jenna
Chapter Eleven


It had been several hours since Nick had been asleep.
Jessica heard Nick moving in the bed and looked over
to see
him grab at his mouth at the tubes. His eyes were
open and
looked wild with fear. He looked at Jessica wanting
to talk
to her.



“I know, they had to do this because you were
suffocating. Now that you’re awake, maybe they can
take it
out for you. Don’t try to fight the machine, let it
work
for you.” Jessica said as she hit the nurse call
light.



Nick panicked when he woke up with the tubes in
his throat. It was a terrible feeling not to be able
to
talk, swallow or breathe on your own. He was scared
and
wondered what was happening to him.



As the nurse entered the room, Jessica did not
waste a second informing her that Nick was awake. The
nurse
did an about-face and left the room. She was back in
a
minute with a resident physician and they grabbed
gloves and
walked on either side of Nick’s bed. The nurse
assisted the
physician and told Nick to relax so they could take
the
tubes out. She put her hand on his forehead and moved
it
back so that his chin pointed upwards. The resident
wasted
no time in taking the tubing and gently pulling it out
of
Nick’s mouth.


Jessica watched Nick’s face as the tubes came out
of his throat. Once the tubes were out, the nurse put
the
green oxygen tube back into Nick’s nose and then
watched to
see what the oxygen saturation levels peaked to. If
they
didn’t stay where they should be, they would have to
put an
oxygen tent around Nick.



His levels stayed at 94 percent, they weren’t the
greatest, but they would do for now. The nurse was
glad
they wouldn’t have to do anything more to Nick at this
point.



“Is there anything you need, honey?” the nurse
asked Nick as she was preparing to leave the room.



Nick opened his mouth to speak, his throat felt
weird after having the tubes in his throat. He tried
to
clear his throat, but was having difficulty in doing
so.
The nurse walked over to the sink and drew a glass of
water
for Nick and came back and had him take a sip.



“No thanks.” Nick replied hoarsely.



“I know you’re feeling pretty weak, Nick, but with
your pneumonia, you should try to take deep breaths
and you
should try to talk more. I’m gonna check with Dr.
Gaynor
and see what he thinks about trying to get you to sit
up
today. I think you’ve been laying down too long.”
The
nurse left the room.


“Wow, wouldn’t that feel good to sit up?” Jessica
asked Nick.



“Great.” Nick replied half-heartily. All he
could think of was how much it would hurt and that how
would
he stay up if he can’t feel his legs yet.



Not too much time had gone by when the nurse
cheerfully entered the room with another nurse.


“Good news Nick! We’re going to try to have you
sit up a little bit.”



“How?” Nick was puzzled. He couldn’t imagine
those two tiny women trying to move him around.


“We need you to help us, we don’t plan on doing
all of the work now.” the nurse replied as she was
slowly
raising the back of Nick’s bed. “Let me know if you
start
to feel dizzy.”



“Whoa, stop.” Nick was already feeling woozy when
the bed started to push him up.



“It’s okay we’ll go slow, you tell us when you’re
ready.”



They waited and watched Nick’s face. He looked
pale. He didn’t want to move anymore.



“Can we stop here for now?” Nick wanted this to
stop, he was scared and didn’t feel comfortable with
not
being able to feel from the waist down. He didn’t
know what
to expect.


“Sure. Let’s leave your bed up like this for
awhile and give your lungs a chance to open up
somemore. How
are you feeling?” Nick’s nurse asked.



“Okay, I guess,” Nick replied quietly. He wasn’t
sure how he felt.



“Good, then we’ll leave you up for awhile and
we’ll come back in a little bit, okay?” the nurse
asked.



“Fine.” Nick answered. He looked around his room
from his new vantage point. Everything looked
different to
him at the new angle. He looked at Jessica. She
smiled at
him.


“One step closer, eh?” Jess was trying to
encourage Nick.



“Yeah, I guess.” Nick replied. His attention got
distracted when a commercial blared loudly on the
television. It was for MTV:



Backstreet Boys new album, Millennium which
debuted last month has topped the charts. The boys
will be
kicking off their American tour in two weeks. Join us
as we
will be interviewing Nick, AJ, Howie, Brian and Kevin,
Monday, June 26 at 8:00 p.m. eastern and central.



Jess looked at Nick. This was almost like a stab
in the heart. Things had been scheduled months ago.
How
was the band going to deal with this? There was no
way Nick
would be well enough by next Monday or in two weeks.



“I guess this will give me something to shoot
for.” Nick said quietly.


“Nick, you’re crazy, how could you possibly be
ready to tour, let alone interview when you can’t even
sit
up by yourself yet?” Jessica tried to reason with
him.



“Watch me.” Nick answered bluntly.

 

Chapter 12 by Jenna



Nick woke up after an uneventful night and looked
over at Jessica curled up in a chair trying to get
comfortable. He wished he could get out of the bed and
cover her up, she looked cold and so alone in that chair.



Nick stretched and yawned. He noticed something
new going on with his body, there was a tingling feeling in
his toes. It was like a pins and needles feeling, but
nonetheless, it was a feeling.


“YES.” Nick cheered out loud.


Jessica woke up when she heard Nick. She looked
over at his bed and found him grinning ear to ear. She
hadn’t seen him that happy for quite a few days.


“What’s up, something good I suspect?” Jessica
smiled.


“I can feel my toes! This is great, I can feel my
toes!” Nick kept saying it over and over.


“Can you move your legs?” Jess asked.


“I dunno, I haven’t tried.” Nick’s face twisted
in concentration as he tried to move one of his legs. The
only response that he got was a spasmatic twitch of his left
foot.


“I’m not sure if that’s what I intended to do, but
hey, it’s starting to work.” Nick was proud that his
feeling was returning.


Dr. Gaynor entered the room. “Good morning Nick,
how are you feeling today?”


“I can feel my toes.” Nick responded.


“You can?” Dr. Gaynor went over to the foot of
the bed and squeeze Nick’s foot. “Can you feel me squeezing
your foot?”


“YES!” Nick was so happy.


“You must be feeling better, You are talking a lot
more.” Dr. Gaynor observed.


“Well, the nurse said it would be better for me to
try and talk a little more even when I don’t feel like it.”
Nick sounded like he was apologizing for speaking.


“And she was right. Let’s see here.” Dr. Gaynor
was flipping through Nick’s thick chart. “We are trying to
push the pneumonia out of your lungs. The tests we did the
other day indicated that your spinal cord was still swollen
and we were trying different steroids to see if that would
do the job. If you are feeling your toes, I think the
steroids are doing the right job.” Dr. Gaynor smiled.


After doing his assessments on Nick he opened the
chart and wrote something hastily on it.


“I am going to start physical therapy for you
today. We had talked about Friday being the earliest for
you to start, but I think you’re coming along well so the
sooner the better. How’s that sound to you?” Dr. Gaynor
asked Nick.


Nick was anxious to start getting his life back on
track. “Suits me fine, doc.” He smiled as he responded.


“Are you feeling hungry?” Dr. Gaynor asked.


“I’m starving.” Nick replied.


“Good, we’ll start you on a gradual diet, can’t
start you off on Big Macs and fries, you have to work your
way up to it.” Dr. Gaynor wrote more things down on Nick’s
chart. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”


“Wow, I can feel my toes and I can eat! SWEET.”
Nick was happy that things were finally starting to go
towards the positive instead of having all the bad things
happening.


“Don’t get too excited about eating yet, you
haven’t seen what they’re gonna bring in.” Jess replied
from experience. “Do you like jello?”


“Babe, right now jello sounds like heaven.” Nick
didn’t care what he was getting, he just knew that this
meant that he was on the road to recovery and eating would
help him get his strength back.


There was a faint knock on the door. “Come in.”
Nick replied.


A tiny, shy food service worker came into the room
with a tray. Jessica could tell by looking at her that she
was probably a Backstreet Boys fan and was trembling to
think that she would get this close to Nick Carter. She
walked towards him with the tray and set it down on his
bedstand. She smiled nervously.


“Thank you.” Nick smiled at her.


“You’re welcome.” the girl responded. She looked
as if she would faint from being acknowledged.


“Oooh, look, green jello.” Nick was checking his
tray over. The tray looked big and dwarfed the tiny items
that he had been brought to eat. There was jello, clear
chicken broth and hot tea.


“Yum, yum. I never knew you would grow to love
those things, Nickolas Carter.” Jess laughed.


“I don’t care, I’m just pretending that this is
pizza.” Nick said as he started eating.


Jess watched as he ate. It was so good to see him
upbeat and alive. She prayed that he would get strong soon.
Maybe seeing that commercial on MTV sparked something in
Nick.


“Would you like to call Brian today and talk to
him, or do you want him to come and see you?” Jess asked
Nick while he was eating.


“I don’t care. What do you want?” Nick asked.


“I’m fine either way, but if you don’t want them
over to visit, we should at least call him.” Jessica
answered.


“I’ll think about it. We need to see what they
plan on doing with me today.” Nick was excited to think
that maybe he would be getting out of bed. He was tired of
laying on his back.


“Hi Nick,” Nick’s nurse walked into his room.
I’ve got good news for you.”


“Hi.” Nick replied as he was pulling his covers
trying to smooth the blankets out.


“We are going to move you from ICU to a new room
today. I don’t think that you will be needing all of this
attention now that you are feeling better. This is one good
step into recovery, but unfortunately, this means that I
won’t be your nurse anymore. Don’t worry though, I will be
keeping tabs on you.” The nurse winked at Nick and Jess.


“How are they gonna move him?” Jess wondered
outloud.


“Well, by wheelchair, of course.” The nurse
replied.


Jess and Nick looked at each other.


“Wow, I get to go for a ride.” Nick didn’t look
too certain about that. He could feel his toes, but still
couldn’t really move his legs.


“You don’t sound too sure about that. Don’t worry,
I have moved people worse off than you, haven’t lost one
yet.”


“Do you know what room he’ll be in yet?” Jessica
wanted to know so they could let Nick’s parents and the guys
know where he would be.


“It said on his chart room 6265, so he’ll be on
the sixth floor. He will have a private room, of course,
and the security will go up to that room now.”


“Security?” Nick asked.


“Of course, once word leaked out where you were,
there was all sorts of commotion and people trying to come
in here and see you. I thought you knew.” The nurse told
Nick. She was kind of shocked herself to think that Nick
wouldn’t realize the type of hysteria he could cause, but
then she thought that showed how down to earth and an
uncelebrity Nick could be.


“Oh, Nick, you should see the front lawn to the
hospital, there are so many people out there. It’s gotten
pretty hairy for Brian and Kevin. They had a hard time
coming and going the last time they came to see you.”
Jessica explained.


“Wow.” Nick said outloud as he was taking in what
Jessica was saying. He couldn’t believe that this was
happening for him. He tried to keep his thoughts even and
not let it go to his head.


An orderly appeared with a wheelchair. “Are you
ready to move?” He asked Nick.


“He hasn’t been out of bed by himself yet, I think
we’re gonna need help.” Jess suggested to the muscular
orderly.


“His nurse was supposed to be here behind me.
Let’s get the chair set and ready to go. She should be here
in a minute.”


The orderly put the chair next to the bed as close
as he could get it. The nurse entered the room.


“Okay Nick, we’re going to do this slowly. I want
you to raise the back of your bed to a sitting position.”


Nick slowly raised the bed.


“If you feel funny, stop, though.” The nurse
watched Nick’s face as he was moving the bed.


“So far so good.” Nick replied.


“Okay, now Matt and I are going to take care of
you. I’m going to put my hand on your back as you scooch
your butt over to the side of the bed. This will keep you
from falling back. Don’t worry, nothing will happen.”


Nick leaned forward and tried to turn himself by
his butt. He slowly but successfully managed as the orderly
was holding onto Nick’s upper arm.


“Okay, now here’s the tricky part,” the nurse
thought outloud. “Dangle your feet over the side of the
bed.”


Nick complied to the command. They had him sit
there for a few moments while the orderly held onto Nicks
arm. The nurse scurried around to the other side of the bed
and unplugged Nick’s IV and moved it to the side of the bed
that he was facing.


“Do you think you’re ready to go to the chair?”
the nurse asked Nick.


“I guess so.” Nick was scared that he was going
to fall.


“Okay, no surprises, on the count of three we’re
gonna lift you from the bed and move you to the chair,
okay?” the nurse asked before they continued.


Nick nodded yes and took a breath in.


“Okay, one, two, three.” They slid Nick off the
bed and into the wheelchair in one sweeping motion. The
Nurse and the orderly placed Nick’s feet on the footrests on
the chair and she then took the oxygen tubing off of his
face.


“How are you feeling?” She looked her patient
over, she could see his legs were shaky.


“Weak,” was all that Nick could manage. He felt
hot and then cold. His legs were shaking and he couldn’t
stop them.


The nurse grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around
Nick’s legs.


“I’m gonna have you sit here a few minutes before
we move you.” The nurse made sure that they had all of the
equipment in place before they started to move Nick.


As they pushed Nick out into the hallway, he
looked at the surroundings. He had not been out of his room
for a few days and that was on a stretcher, so things looked
different to him. Nick noticed the tall security guard
standing by the door in the hall.


“Isn’t it nice to be able to sit up?” Jessica
smiled at Nick.


Nick responded with a smile back at her. The
elevator ride to his room was slow as they got stopped at
each floor to let other hospital employees on and off. When
they finally got off on the sixth floor, the orderly pushed
the wheel chair to the end of the hall to the last door on
the left. A security guard was already standing outside of
the doorway.


Once they entered the room, Nick couldn’t believe
all of the flowers, balloons and beanie babies that were
surrounding the entire room.


“These have been waiting for you for quite awhile,
you can’t have anything in ICU so they had been holding them
for you up until now. Isn’t it neat?” Jess asked Nick.


Nick sat in the chair staring at all of the stuff
in the room. He didn’t know what to think or say, he just
sat there with his mouth hanging open.


“Well, aren’t you gonna say anything?” Jess
asked.


“Wow.” was all Nick could managed. He was
overwhelmed to think that there were so many people out
there that cared about him.


The orderly pushed the wheelchair close to the bed
and put down the safety levers to prevent the wheels from
moving.


“Are you comfortable right now or would you like
to lay down?” he asked Nick.


“Is it okay to sit up for a little longer?” Nick
asked. He was hurting, but the thought of laying back down
in the bed at this point didn’t appeal to him.


“I suppose it won’t hurt to sit up for a little
bit. I’ll be back in about 10 minutes or so.” with that,
the orderly left Nick and Jessica alone.


Jessica walked around the room looking at the
cards on the flowers. A lot of the flowers had been sent by
fans. There were a few that were from close friends and
relatives of Nick’s.


“Hey, you’re not allergic to pollen or anything,
are you?” Jess asked Nick.


“I don’t think so.” Nick wasn’t sure. “I guess
we’ll find out if I am.”


They heard talking out in the hall. Nick looked at
Jess and motioned his head towards the door for her to see
if she could see who it was. She jumped up off the bed and
walked over to the doorway. It was AJ., Brian, Kevin and
Howie. Jessica stood in the door and told the guard that
they were okay to come into the room. As the guard thanked
her, the boys walked into the room.


“Holy shit, look at all of this stuff!” AJ. said
outloud.


“Hey Nicky, how’s it going?” Howie walked up to
Nick and patted him on the head.


“Hey, you’re looking a lot better than when I left
you the last time, dude.” Brian gave Nick a hug. “It’s
good to see yah sitting up for a change, bet it feels good
too.” Brian winked at Nick.


“Yeah, it feels different.” Nick replied. He was
starting to hurt more and could feel his legs starting to
shake. He was hoping that no one could see it under the
blankets.


AJ and Kevin were touring Nick’s room checking out
all of the stuff that had arrived in his room. It was twice
the stuff that they had ever gotten while they were on
stage. They felt like there were in a gift shop.


“I’ve never seen so many flowers at one time. Boy
Nick, you must be pretty popular with the FTD guy right
now.” Kevin joked.


Nick managed a half-hearted smile. He looked over
at Jess hoping that he could make some type of eye contact
with her to let her know he needed help. She was looking at
beanie babies with Howie.


“Hey buddy, is something wrong?” Brian picked up
on the pain in Nick’s face. He had a knack for reading what
was on people’s minds without having to hear them speak.


“Um, I think I need to lay down.” Nick said
softly.


Everyone in the room turned around and looked at
Nick when he was talking. Jess noticed that his color was
drained from his face and his lips were almost chalky
looking.


“Push the call nurse button. Nick, do you feel
faint?” Jess asked.


“Yeah.” Nick mumbled the words. The room was
starting to get dark and hazy. He had fainted before so he
knew what was coming. He started to feel sick to his
stomach and dizzy.


Brian reached out just as Nick started to fall
forward. He caught him and prevented him from falling out
of the chair and hurting himself. An orderly appeared in
the door just as Nick slumped in the chair.


“Whoa, I guess he wasn’t ready to sit up this
long.” the orderly stated as he brushed past Kevin and AJ.
He walked over to Nick and literally picked him up out of
the chair and placed him into the bed. He put a blood
pressure cuff on Nick’s arm and started the machine to check
his pressure.


The color started coming back into Nick’s face as
he was waking up.


“Nick, are you okay?” Jessica asked him.


Nick opened and closed his eyes slowly. His face
was soaked in sweat. It was taking him a few minutes to
register where he was and what had happened.


“Yeah, I’m fine. I just hurt.” Nick replied.


“I’ll have your nurse come in and see you.” the
orderly said as he was leaving the room.


All of the guys in the room kept glancing over at
Nick to see how he was doing. He looked like he had been
running the quarter-mile race and lost. As the nurse walked
into the room the guys moved off to the side to keep out of
the way.


“Hi, Nick, I’m your nurse, Andrea. How are you
feeling?” the nurse was wearing dark purple scrubs and
white tennis shoes.


“Not great.” Nick replied.


“I want you to rate your pain level on a scale of
zero to ten with zero being no pain at all and ten as get me
to the emergency room right now, I can’t stand it.” the
nurse asked Nick softly.


“Nine.” Nick said.


“Where are you hurting?” the nurse asked.


Nick pointed to his stomach and his left side.
The nurse pulled his gown off his left shoulder while she
was telling him that she wanted to check the bandages.


A bandage on his stomach had a small spot of
bright red blood on it.


“I’ll be back with some pain meds and I’ll need to
change that bandage and take a closer look at the incision.”


The nurse left the room and the guys watched her
leave. AJ was the first one to comment about Nick’s nurse.


“Not bad, dude.” AJ said slyly.


Nick didn’t reply back, he attempted to stick his
tongue out at AJ.


“Oooh, that hurt!” AJ teased.


The guys laughed at Nick’s attempt to make a joke.
As the nurse returned to the room, Brian pulled Jess aside
to talk to her.


“How have you been doing?” He looked directly
into her eyes.


“Oh, I’m okay.” Jess replied.


“I’ll bet you haven’t eaten since yesterday when
Kev and me took you out, have you?”


“No, but I’m okay.” Jessica answered. She had
been so preoccupied with Nick that food was the last thing
on her mind. She was entirely devoted to watching Nick
thrive and getting better.


“No, you’re not okay, you need to eat or you’ll be
in a bed beside Nick. Once the nurse is through here, I’m
taking you someplace. I’m sure one of the guys will stay
here so that Nick’s not alone.” Brian insisted.


“No, really, I’m okay. I’ll get something later.”
Jess promised.


“Liar, I know you better than that. I am going to
make sure you eat even if I have to force feed you, do you
understand?” Brian asked her quietly.


Jess resigned herself to the proposition. She had
no other choice and she knew that Brian wouldn’t let it rest
until she did what he wanted her to do.


After the nurse changed Nick’s bandage and gave
him his medication through the IV tube, she left the room.


“Hey, Nick, would it be okay if I took Jess to go
get something to eat, she hasn’t eaten since early yesterday
and I want to make sure she eats.” Brian asked Nick.


Nick looked at Jess. “Oh, god, I didn’t know, I
guess I wasn’t thinking about you---”


“Don’t apologize, I’m fine Nick and you shouldn’t
be worrying about me.” Jessica cut him off.


“I want you to go with Brian, he’ll make sure you
do what you’re supposed to do.” Nick knew that Brian would
take good care of Jess. It upset him to think that she
wasn’t taking care of herself.


“I’ll stay here with Nick,” Kevin offered. “You
guys go ahead and go with them.”


Just as the group was preparing to leave, Nick’s
family came into the room. After they talked with them for
a few minutes, Kevin decided that he would go with the rest
of the group so that Nick’s family could have some time with
him.

 

Chapter 13 by Jenna


It was a challenge this time as they left the
hospital grounds. There was no way that these guys could
slip out incognito this time, especially with AJ and his
tattoos walking out the front door. They had all decided on
the elevator to stick together and make a run for Howie’s
car, wherever that was.



“I hope you remember where you left it.” Jessica
joked.


They were doing silly things to each other on the
elevator and Jess still couldn’t help but think of her years
in junior high and high school. These guys acted as if they
still were in school - the actions, the way they talked at
times - it was hard to believe that these guys were
superstars and could have the world at their fingertips.



They literally ran out the front door and to
Howie’s car which was parked halfway into the parking lot.
There was a lot of screaming going on from the front lawn.
Once safely inside the vehicle, Jessica said that sometime
when Nick was ready, she was going to take him to a window
so he could see this crowd that had gathered to keep a vigil
at the hospital.



Howie already knew where Brian wanted to go for
lunch, so there wasn’t any arguments about where they were
heading. Jessica sat in the back seat between Brian and AJ.
They were talking amongst themselves about different things
with the business.



Jessica decided to bring up a question for them,
“What’s going to happen with the tour since Nick is too sick
to go on it?”



Brian patted Jessica’s leg. “It has been
postponed darling, I thought you’d known that, it would be
impossible to tour without Nicky.”


“Nick saw on MTV the other night that you guys
were scheduled to do an interview with them premoting your
new album. You’re still planning on doing the interview,
aren’t you? I mean it would be stupid for you guys to
abandon everything while Nick is sick.”



“I guess we hadn’t thought much about that stuff,
we probably shouldn’t cancel it.” Howie said.



“I wonder if Nick would feel up to being in the
interview?” Brian thought outloud.



“I don’t know about that Brian.” Kevin
interjected. “I mean, he’s still a bit banged up and he’s
not walking yet.”



“Well, if he felt up to doing the interview, we
could have the crew come to the hospital. All I have to do
is call our agent and he can make the arrangements.” Brian
responded.



“You remember that the interview is live. What if
Nick starts to feel faint or sick or something?” Kevin was
always the sensible one in the group and always pointed out
all of the possible things that could go wrong.



“You remember that this interview isn’t until
Monday, that is four whole days away, I’m sure Nick will be
a lot better by then, right Jess?” Brian winked at Jess.



“Oh, yeah, right.” Jessica wasn’t sure if it
would be true or not, she was praying that it would be so.



Howie pulled the vehicle into a restaurant parking
lot. It wasn’t a familiar name to Jess, but the guys all
knew the place. They piled out of the car and walked in to
eat.


A hostess greeted the men as they entered the
door.



“Good afternoon, guys, your usual table is ready
just as you requested.” the petite blonde smiled at the
boys.



“You come here often?” Jess looked around at the
scenery puzzled. “I’ve never heard of this place.”



“I don’t think Nick has ever been here. He
doesn’t go out to too many places with us, the minor that he
is.” AJ replied in a dark voice.


Brian laughed sarcastically, but didn’t smile.


Jess said back in the booth with the guys filling in on
either side of her. She spent the entire dinner listening
to them make comments about the waitresses and other females
that walked past their booth. She felt like she was back in
highschool. It was fun, but she rolled her eyes more than
she laughed.



Chapter 14 by Jenna


Nick was scared, he wasn’t sure if he wanted to go to physical therapy. There were so many things that he didn’t know how his body would respond, or if it would respond. He couldn’t ignore the therapist that was standing in his room next to his bed with the orderly.

“Are you having second thoughts, Nick?” the therapist named Linda replied cheerfully.

She’s a little too perky for me, Nick thought to himself as he attempted to move to the edge of the bed. He still didn’t have all of the feeling in his legs back yet, they felt numb and tingly so he was still unable to stand up yet and they didn’t move when he wanted them to move. Dr. Gaynor felt that in time, with the physical therapy, his legs would start to regain normal feeling again.

“Now, Nick, I want you to try to get yourself into the chair, I know that the orderlies and the nurses have been helping you up to this point, but I think you’re able to do this on your own.” Linda ordered.

Nick looked at her and put on a fake smile. He hated being so helpless and he just knew that he would fall to the floor, he didn’t trust himself one bit.

“Awh, comeon Nick, I know you can do it, think positively.” Jess was standing off in the corner of the room.

Nick looked over at her and gave her a fake smile too. Jess had to laugh when she looked at him, he looked like he had been in a rough football game. The bruises on his face were fading, but he still had two dark black rings underneath both eyes.

Nick licked his lips and set his jaw as he used his arms to try to lower himself into the chair. He was going very slowly and his arms were starting to shake as they were supporting his weight. Finally, in what seemed like minutes, Nick was in the chair.

“I knew you could do it, great!” Linda exclaimed like a kindergarten teacher. “Now, we’ll take it from here,” she told the orderly. “We’re going to go to the PT room and start you on some upper body strengthening exercises.”

The therapist pushed Nick down the hall to the elevator. Jess walked behind them and noticed that at the end of the hall near the elevators was a small group of girls staring at Nick coming towards them. They stayed where they were at with their mouths open and a few of them oohed and awed quietly as if to pity the way Nick looked. Thankfully, none of them approached Nick. Nick just kept his head lowered and didn’t look up.

The elevator didn’t come quick enough, in Jessica’s and Nick’s opinion. He felt like he was on display waiting for the elevator. They rode it up to the eighth floor and Linda wasted no time pushing him into the physical therapy room.

“Lets see, Nick, I think we should start you off with some arm weights,” she said as she wheeled him over to a wall with pulleys. After showing Nick how she wanted him to do it, she handed the weights over to him.

Nick looked at her questionably as if to say, “Are you kidding?” He was thinking how easy this was going to be. After about three pulls, he realized how weak he was. His face was already soaked in sweat.

“Nick, I need you to try to do at least five on each arm, if you can. Push yourself, the more you do, the better you’ll get, you need to do this, okay?” The therapist tried to encourage Nick to keep going.

Nick nodded and struggled with each pull. Towards the end he was gritting his teeth and biting his lower lip as if that would give him the strength he needed to finish.

“Great! I knew you had it in you!” she praised Nick.

“I feel like a dog getting praised.” Nick remarked to Jess as he rolled his eyes.

Jess winked at Nick and laughed. “Just part of the game, honey.”

The therapist took Nick to another piece of arm strengthening equipment. Each time she gave Nick a new set of exercises to do, Nick started off thinking he was going to be able to do without any problems. Each time he was disappointed.

After therapy was over, Nick couldn’t wait to get back to his room and into his bed. He never thought that he would want to lay down but he couldn’t believe how tired he was from “working out” for thirty minutes.

“I’ll see you again tomorrow, get some rest.” Linda said as she brought Nick back into his room.

“Thanks.” Nick replied quietly.

“Do you want to clean up before you lie down?” Jess suggested.

Nick pondered the question. “It probably would be a good idea, what time is it anyway?”

“Umm, it’s a little after 4:00, why do you have some place you’re going?” Jess tried to joke with Nick.

“Hah-hah.” Nick replied sarcastically. “I was just wondering what time dinner would be, I’m actually looking forward to jello again.”

“Yummy. Well, did you want me to see if the nurse can bring some stuff in for you to get cleaned up with?”

“Please.” Nick said quietly.

“Okay, I’ll be right back.” Jess left the room.

Nick sat in the room waiting for her to return and started to think about what had been going on with him this past week. Reality started to set in, something he was trying to avoid up until this point.

“Who am I trying to fool?” Nick asked himself bitterly. “I can’t do anything by myself anymore and I’m just a worthless piece of garbage, just in the way. I can’t walk, I can’t hardly move my arms, why the hell am I trying?” The tears burned his eyes as they started to flow down his cheeks. He kept slamming his fists down on the arms of the chair.

As Jessica entered the room, Nick tried to wipe his eyes quickly. He looked off over towards the window.

“Hey, great news, the nurse said that you can try doing a shower, if you want to try.”

Nick looked at her, “How the hell could I do a shower when I can’t stand up?”

“Whoa, don’t bite my head off, what’s wrong?” Jess looked at Nick and could see his eyes were red.

“I’m sorry, nothing.” Nick lied to her. He didn’t want sympathy from anyone right now.

“The shower is equipped with a seat into the wall, kind of molded in and there is a hand held shower head that you can control. Is is something you want to try or not?”

Nick thought the question over, he was sick of having someone wash him off, the thought of a little independence sounded good to him, but he was wondering if he would be able to pull it off by himself.

“I dunno, how can I do this?” Nick wondered outloud.

Just as Jess was about to answer, Brian came in.

“Oh, thank god, I could use you right now!” Jess announced excited.

“Wow, I like your greeting.” Brian exclaimed as he gave Jess a hug. He looked over at Nick while he was hugging Jess and he pointed at her behind her back. “This is great!”

Nick looked at Brian “Yeah, yeah, knock it off.”

“I need you to help Nick in the shower since you guys have the same stuff and all.” Jess stated.

“Hey, no kidding, a shower?” Brian tried to get Nick to smile.

“Yeah, doesn’t that sound exciting?” Nick answered back sarcastically.

“Hey, you’ve never showered with me before, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it.” Brian replied.

“That’s what I’m afraid of.” Nick said.

“I think I’m gonna leave you guys for an hour. This is really starting to depress me.” Jess said as she kissed Nick goodbye. “Is there anything you would want me to get while I’m gone, books, magazines, Nintendo?”

“Whatever you think that would sound good, oh, I know, how about pizza?” Nick was dying for pizza.

“I don’t think you could do that yet, it would kill you, you haven’t graduated from jello yet. Take good care of him Brian.” Jess said as she gave Brian a hug and a kiss on the cheek goodbye.

Chapter 15 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Sixteen</h1>

<br><br>
Jess was standing in the bathroom in Nick’s room when she
heard a noise, ”pop....pop.....pop......pop.” As she turned
to go out into the room to see what was making that noise,
she heard scuffling and a man’s voice yelling, ”I shot him,
I shot him.”<br><br>

Jess hurried out into the room to find a man on
the floor with the security guard pinning him down and
trying to put handcuffs on him. Brian was off to one side
of the room, his face was pale, he looked shocked. When
Jess turned her focus over to Nick’s bed, her heart nearly
stopped.<br><br>

Nick had his hand clutching his chest, blood was
pouring out between his fingers. He looked over at Jess his
eyes were wide with fear and pain. As she ran over towards
him, he collapsed. She reached up above his bed and pulled
the code blue switch. A team of nurses and resident
physicians poured into the room. They didn’t waste anytime
putting Nick’s bed flat and starting CPR.<br><br>

Jess backed away from Nick’s bed and stood with
Brian. They held one another while they watched the medical
team work frantically on Nick. A nurse came over to Jess
and Brian and asked them to come with her out into the hall.
Jess didn’t want to leave.<br><br>
“It would be better for you to wait out in the
hall. You don’t need to see this.” The dark eyed nurse
looked at Jess sadly.<br><br>

She walked with Jess and Brian and went into the
hall. As they stood there, people were rushing in and out
of the room. It seemed to Jess that they were working on
Nick for hours when it actually was only minutes. Finally,
a doctor appeared in the doorway and walked over towards
Jessica and Brian.<br><br>

“I’m sorry, we did everything we could for him,
but we lost him. He took too many gunshots to the chest.”
The doctors words didn’t make sense to Jess.<br><br>
“No, no, no....” Jessica started to scream.
Brian held her tight. She wanted to run back into the room
and find Nick sitting in his bed playing Nintendo. After a
few minutes, Jess asked the nurse if it would be possible
for her to go and see Nick.<br><br>

The nurse led Brian and Jess back into the room.
She quietly told the people that remained in the room to
give them some time with him to themselves.<br><br>
Jessica walked up to the bed and looked down at
Nick’s face. He looked as if he was sleeping. She touched
the side of his cheek and noticed that his skin was starting
to get cold. Brushing the hair from his forehead, she bent
over and kissed his cheek. Blood had soaked the sheets and
had spilled onto the floor.<br><br>

Jess cried when she thought about how Nick was
trying so hard to get better. “This isn’t fair, how could
this have happened?” Jess stammered through her tears.<br><br>

Brian didn’t speak, he just held her tight. Tears
were streaming down his face as he sobbed. <br><br>

“Hey, goofball, wake up.” Jess was puzzled, why
would Nick talk to her like that. He was still laying still
in the bed. “I said are you gonna stay asleep all day?”<br><br>

Jessica jumped. She opened her eyes and realized
that she was sitting in a chair in a lobby near the
elevators. Howie was standing over her.<br><br>

“Ohmygod, Howie, you scared me.” Jess still
wasn’t sure if this was a dream she had had or not.<br><rb>
Howie laughed at Jessica’s reaction to him. He
hadn’t been back to see Nick in a few days mainly because it
was difficult for them to come to the hospital without being
recognized and mobbed.<br><br>

“Shall we go in and see how Nick is doing?” Howie
asked Jess as he held his hand out to pull her up from the
chair.<br><br>

The MTV live interview was going to air tonight
and one by one, the boys had come to the hospital to prepare
for this. While Brian was helping Nick get cleaned up, Jess
had decided to escape and took a quick nap. That was why
Howie had found her asleep in the lobby.<br><br>

When they walked into Nick’s room, they found Nick
sitting in his wheelchair dressed in jeans and a Miami
Dolphins football jersey and white tennis shoes. Jess was
happy to see Nick out of a hospital gown.<br><br>

“Boy, you look good Nick. You clean up well.”
Jess teased as she kissed him on the cheek. <br><br>

“Thanks.” Nick smiled. He was glad to wear
something normal for a change. He was getting stronger with
the physical therapy so getting in and out of the wheelchair
was no longer a challenge for him. The dressing required a
little help and he was glad Brian was there for him.<br><br>

“The crews have come already and are starting to
set up in the conference room on the first floor.” Howie
said. “Hey, Nick, when Kev and AJ come, do you feel up to
practicing a song for the interview?” Howie was hoping that
Nick would feel up to it. He knew that MTV would want them
to possibly sing a song during the interview.<br><br>

“Yeah, I guess so.” Nick was excited about the
interview, but he didn’t know how his voice would be. He
was afraid that it had been affected when he had the tubes
in his throat. He had not tried to sing.<br><br>

Kevin and AJ entered the room. AJ looked like he
had been running.<br><br>
“Man, it’s getting worse out there, I can’t
believe it. That crowd can be scary.” AJ stated as he
slumped into a chair. “Holy shit, Nick, did you get more
stuff again?” AJ said as he looked around the room.<br><br>

“Yup, I am loved.” Nick simply replied.<br><br>

“What song do you think we should do for the
interview?” Howie asked.<br><br>

Everyone seemed to look at Nick when the question
was posed. They didn’t know if Nick would be ready to sing.<br><br>

“Let’s try “I want it that way.” Nick replied.
He figured this was the best time to try as any.<br><br>

The guys pulled chairs around by Nick and they did
a silent count to start. When the song came around to
Nick’s portion, his voice was shaky. Embarrassed, Nick
cleared his throat and asked if they could try again from
the top.<br><br>

“I guess I’m outta practice.” Nick apologized.<br><br>

“Hey buddy, don’t worry, it takes time.” Brian
stuck up for Nick. “We’ve got plenty of time to practice,
nobody says we have to sing anyway, if you’re not ready,
don’t worry about it.”<br><br>

“Thanks Bri.” Nick was trying to feel comfortable
about the lack of response from his body. He wasn’t used to
not being able to sing when he wanted to sing. He was
mentally going over the lists of songs that they sing
thinking if there were one that wouldn’t be too noticeable
if he didn’t participate. All of the songs they did he
either had a major part in it or a major vocal.<br><br>

After they practiced the song for an hour, they
decided that Nick was doing the best that he could. They
tried to encourage him to sing tonight and reassured him
that his voice sounded great. They noticed a little
weakness in it, but were sure that it would be nothing the
fans would notice.<br><br>
They watched TV while they waited for the time to
arrive for them to go down to the conference room. MTV ran
the music video of “I want it that way.” The guys sang
their parts along with the video except for Nick. He was
watching himself intently wondering if he would be able to
walk across a room again, or even dance. He was starting to
feel let down.<br><br>

Jess put her arm around Nick and kissed him.
“You’re gonna be okay.” She knew that he was starting to
feel uncomfortable.<br><br>

There was a knock on the door. Jessica got up and
opened it up and stuck her face out. She was the one that
always answered the door since her face was the one that
would be unfamiliar to fans.<br><br>

“Guys, they want you downstairs now to set up.”
Jess said as she closed the door.<br><br>

Kevin pushed Nick and the rest of the group walked
around him like they were protecting him. Nick had asked
earlier if Jess could put something on his face to conceal
the bruised eyes and face but both Jess and the guys agreed
that it would make things look too noticeable. People were
going to be looking at him closely and if he were to have
something on like that, they would think he was in worse
shape than he truly was.<br><br>
As Nick entered the conference room, he saw the
table set up with five chairs. Off to the left, there were
five microphones in front of five bar stools. Nick looked
up at Jess.<br><br>

“I could see sitting in a chair at the conference
table, but I don’t think I can sit by myself in a bar stool
and not fall over.” Nick whispered.<br><br>

“I’ll talk to Kevin and see if he can change that
arrangement.” Jess whispered back. <br><br>

Just as they were getting towards the table, they
were greeting by a tall red headed woman with a deep voice.<br><br>

“Hi, I’m Anne from MTV, we put cards on the table
so you know where we want you to sit. If you have any
questions or need anything, please don’t hesitate to ask.”
She talked fast as if she didn’t want to be bothered with
any questions.<br><br>

“Um, I think we need to change the bar stool
thing.” Kevin stated. “Could you put chairs in there
instead?” <br><br>

Jessica hadn’t had the chance to talk to Kevin
about Nick’s concerns, he had brought this up himself. She
smiled when she thought about how these guys really did look
out for one another like a family.<br><br>

“Why, what’s wrong with the stools? You guys
always use stools.” Anne seemed puzzled. She didn’t look
as if she would compensate Kevin’s request.<br><br>

“It wouldn’t be too comfortable for Nick to sit
like that without back support.” Kevin partially lied to
her. True, he needed back support, but the main part was he
would have to be lifted up to the chair to even sit there in
the first place.<br><br>

“Oh, well, I guess we could put folding chairs
there or something.” Anne replied.<br><br>
“Thanks, that would be great.” Kevin smiled at
Anne.<br><br>

Brian had taken Nick up to the conference table
and pulled the chairs around his aside. They had Nick
sitting in the center of the table with Brian on his right
and AJ on his left. Nick didn’t hesitate to move his body
from the wheelchair to his seat. He was getting better with
his upper body strength and was able to move himself around
with more ease.<br><br>

Jessica found a chair by the cameras out of the
way. She always enjoyed watching these guys do an
interview. It was fun being behind the scenes and seeing
the things that go on during commercial breaks.<br><br>

Carson Daly from MTV entered the conference room
and Jess knew by the look on Nick’s face that he must have
seen her mouth drop open. She always thought that Carson
was hot and Nick always seemed to be annoyed when she would
say anything about Carson being so damn hot. She smiled
weakly at Nick and winked and mouthed I love you. Nick
smiled back.<br><br>

Jess watched the guys tense up as they counted the
seconds down to the live airing. Each of them had funny
little quirks before they performed and Jess knew every one
of them.<br><br>
“Hi, Carson Daly here for a live special interview
with The Backstreet Boys on their Millennium tour. We are
live at Tampa Bay Hospital in Florida where Nick Carter has
been recovering following a car accident that happened a
week ago last Saturday. Hi guys.”<br><br>

“Hi Carson.” They responded in unison.<br><br>

Jess could tell that Nick was nervous. He was
usually tense during interviews but tonight he was
especially tense because he knew there would be a lot of
attention focused on him.<br><br>

“Alright, I know the first thoughts on the fans
minds is how is Nick Carter? Nick?” Carson directed the
question to Nick.<br><br>

Nick smiled faintly, “Pretty good, I guess.”<br><br>

Brian could tell that Nick felt funny talking
about himself. He made a side comment to Nick and poked him
in the side.<br><br>
“Nick, what were the extent of your injuries?”
Carson asked.<br><br>

Nick kind of rolled his eyes and really didn’t
want to go through the list. Brian took over for Nick.<br><br>

“He was banged up pretty good, but he is doing
better now.” Brian replied. He figured less was more and
it was no one’s business what was going on with Nick.<br><br>

“Which one of you would you guys say has been the
driving force that has kept Nick upbeat and positive?”
Carson asked.<br><br>

“Jess.” The guys responded in unison.<br><br>

“No doubt about it, it’s Jess.” Brian replied.<br><br>

“Who’s Jess?” Carson asked.<br><br>

“Nicky’s girlfriend.” The guys replied in a
teasing voice. They all looked over at her and jeered.<br><br>

Jess felt like she wanted to crawl under a chair
and die from embarrassment.<br><br>
“She’s here?” Carson asked.<br><br>

“Yeah, over there.” Brian said as all of them
pointed in the direction where Jess was sitting.<br><br>

The camera panned over to where she was and the
red light went on meaning that she was on live TV.<br><br>

“Hi Jess.” The guys laughed and waved at her when
they said her name.<br><br>

“Hi guys.” Jess smiled back at them and waved
back. She gave them a funny look as if to tell them that
she would be getting back with them later.<br><br>

“Ooh, she does not like to be in the spotlight, eh
Nick?” Carson smiled at Nick.<br><br>

“No, not really, she’s kinda shy that way.” Nick
answered and winked at Jessica.<br><br>

“Okay, your new album Millennium debuted over six
weeks ago and have three singles that have reached the top
ten from this album. When do you start your European Tour
and where?” Carson asked the group, not directing his
question to any specific person.<br><br>

“Well, um, that’s been postphoned right now
indefinately.” Brian spoke up. “We were to start touring
the first of July in Amsterdam, but Nick would not be able
to tour right now, so we’ll have to wait until he gets
better.”<br><br>
Nick kept his head down looking at the table while
Brian talked. He felt bad that he was keeping his friends
from doing what they wanted to do.<br><br>

“The tour would be too much of strain on Nick?”
Carson asked.<br><br>

Nick really felt funny now, here they were talking
about him as if he weren’t in the room. He sat still in the
chair. He knew that the camera was on him.<br><br>

“Well, the accident was only a little over a week
ago and we’re lucky that Nick is here with us right now.”
Brian spoke out in Nick’s defense. “By the grace of God, he
will be stronger and be able to resume our schedule soon.”<br><br>

Jess felt her heart fall when she looked at Nick.
She knew how embarrassed he was that they were talking about
him as if he weren’t in the room. She wanted to run up to
him and hold him.<br><br>
After a few minutes of talking about the group and
some of the songs on the album, Carson told the viewers that
the Backstreet Boys would sing a song from the Millenium cd
when they returned.<br><br>

They had approximately four minutes to have Nick
go over to the chairs that were set up for their song. The
guys cleared the way and Anne from MTV brought Nick’s
wheelchair over to him. Nick quickly moved himself into the
wheelchair. Jess thought she saw a flash of light while he
was moving into the chair. At first she thought it was a
camera flash, but then she dismissed it thinking that the
crew would be more professional than that.<br><br>

Everyone got into their seat in front of the
microphone. They had less than thirty seconds before they
were back on the air. Nick was getting more nervous
thinking about singing. He hoped that his voice would be
more stronger, he prayed that his voice would be clear.<br><br>

“Welcome back, I’m here in Tampa Bay, Florida,
with the Backstreet Boys. They are going to sing I Want it
That Way from the Millennium cd. Here’s the Backstreet
Boys.”<br><br>

Carson stepped out of the way and the background
cd was cued up for them to start. Brian started his part
flawlessly. When Nick’s part came up, he hesitated, but it
wasn’t enough for anyone to notice besides the group.<br><br>

Nick looked over where Jess was and decided to
sing to Jess instead of the camera, it made him feel more
comfortable. He didn’t try to sing anything fancy
especially the parts he was usually pumped up for while he
sang. It was simple, almost like he was in church. The
guys sang a little louder to cover for Nick’s voice being so
shakey. Nick felt like he was getting winded singing a
three minute song. He was suprised how much it took out of
him.<br><br>

Carson took calls from fans, most of them told
Nick how sorry they were about his accident and that they
were praying for him. One girl asked Nick if he was still
hurt and one had the nerve to ask if there would be any
lasting effects from the accident.<br><br>

The show was getting ready to end and Carson asked
the group while they were having a commercial break if they
would sing another song. <br><br>

“Nick, are you feeling up to it?” Brian asked.
All of the songs the group sang involved Nick in one way or
another.<br><br>

“I dunno, I guess I could try.” Nick wasn’t too
sure of himself. He knew the last song was a real struggle
for him to get through. “I guess we could do Larger Than
Life.”<br><br>
“Are you sure? That is a heavy song.” Kevin
asked.<br><br>

“No, I think I can get through it. You’ll carry
me if I can’t sing my part, won’t you?” Nick asked the guys
quietly.<br><br>
“Sure we would.” All of the guys agreed.<br><br>

The cameras went on and Carson walked over to
Nick. “I want to thank you for allowing us to come here and
do this live interview. I know that the fans appreciate
being able to see that you are okay. Good luck and keep in
touch.”<br><br>

“Thanks.” Nick and the guys thanked Carson.<br><br>
“As we close, we’ll hear another cut from their
new album, Millenium. Here’s the Backstreet Boys singing
“Larger Than Life.”<br><br>

The cd was cued up again and Nick started his part
out flawlessly. Towards the end of the song, it was
becoming more difficult for him to sing his parts and the
guys knew and carried him. With the song being so new fans
wouldn’t really know which parts were Nick anyway.<br><br>
<br><br><center>
Chapter 16 by Jenna
Jess had left the hospital to take a break and get a few
things for herself and for Nick. As she was standing in the
checkout lane at the store, her eyes scanned the magazines.
She stopped abruptly when she saw The National Enquirer.
Pasted on the front cover, actually it was the front cover,
was a picture of Nick as he was lowering himself into the
wheelchair. Under the picture was the captioning: Nick
Carter, Backstreet Boys, will they be able to handle it
without him?




Jess grabbed the magazine and decided to buy the
copy. She was angry when she looked at that picture and was
trying to figure out when it was taken. As she looked
closer at the picture, she saw that Nick was wearing his
Miami Dolphins jersey and realized that this was when they
did the MTV interview. Someone had taken that picture
during a commercial break. The media was allowed in that
room but someone took the privledge one step further and
intruded on his privacy.



As the cashier was scanning the magazine, she made
an idle comment to Jessica, “Isn’t that a shame about that
boy?”


Jess simply smiled at the cashier. She didn’t
feel the need to respond. She paid her and left the store.
When Jess got into her car, she pulled the magazine out of
the bag and thumbed through it until she got to the article
about Nick. While she read it, she was shocked to find all
of the lies that were laced through it:



Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys was critically
injured in a car accident early in June. The other driver
was killed when he ran a stop light and struck Carter. Nick
was rushed to the hospital and was in a coma for more than a
week. Once he awoke from his coma, doctors determined that
he had irreversible brain damage. His career with the
Backstreet Boys has been shattered since the accident has
left Nick paralyzed from the chest down.




Jess felt sickened reading the article. It had so
many lies in it. There were pictures of Nick in the article
of him laying in the hospital bed with the tubes in his
mouth, “How did they get that?” Jess wondered. It bothered
her to think that people at the hospital would do anything
for the glory of money. They had pictures of Nick with the
group and more pictures of Nick at the interview and it
looked like they enhanced the bruises on his eyes. “I hope
Nick doesn’t see this.” Jess thought to herself.



She decided to drive over to Brian’s and see what
he was up to. It felt good to be away from the hospital for
a while. Nick insisted that she go out and take a break
while he went to physical therapy. It looked like such a
nice day outside, it didn’t take much to convince her to do
so.



Back at the hospital, Nick was finished with his
physical therapy for the day. It was an especially
difficult session for Nick. The occupational therapist was
teaching him how to do normal day to day tasks in a hospital
room that was set up like a house. The one task he had to
try to do that hit him hard was practice getting himself in
and out of a car. They had a “car” on the therapy floor and
Nick had to practice moving himself from the chair to a car
seat and then back again. It upset him to think that he
would have to learn how to do something like that. He was
planning on walking out of the hospital.



“Oh, by the way, Nick, you will be getting your
chair delivered to your room today, maybe it will be here by
the time we get back.” The therapist sounded a little too
happy about the chair.



Nick tried to figure out what she was talking
about. He didn’t order anything special, he decided to just
blow off what she was talking about, he figured that she was
just rambling on about nothing.



“Ah, here we are, room 6265.” The female orderly
said as they walked past the security guard. “My, you sure
do have a lot of nice flowers. I don’t think I’ve ever seen
this many in a room at one time.”



“Yup.” Nick didn’t feel like being sociable.



“Are you okay here or did you want help back
into----”


“I’m fine.” Nick cut her off. He was getting
irritated about being helped to do this and that.



“Okay, have a nice day.” As she turned her back
to Nick, he wagged his hand back and forth as if to help her
out the door. He sat in the chair for a moment and looked
around the room. His eyes fell on the unfamiliar sight of
the new chair the therapist had talked about. It was a
modified wheelchair, it didn’t have armrests so it was more
accessible to use your arms to move the wheels.



“Well, isn’t that just special.” Nick sputtered.
He decided to lay down. He started to let his mind wander.



Well, um that’s been postphoned right now
indefinately. We were to start touring the first of July in
Amsterdam, but Nick would not be able to tour right now, so
we’ll have to wait until he gets better.......The tour would
be too much of a strain on Nick?..........Oh, by the way
Nick, you’ll be getting your new chair today.......This is
the way you need to scooch yourself to get from the chair
into the car....



The tears were flowing down his cheeks and
stinging his eyes. “I am holding my friends back, what am I
thinking? I’m never going to get better. I’m never going
to dance or sing again. I’m nothing.”


Nick turned the television on hoping that it would
clear his thoughts. The newsprogram American Journal was on
and ironically, it was showing The Backstreet Boys on stage.
Nick turned the volume up:



The Backstreet Boys have been riding high on the
charts and have recently released their new album,
Millenium. Tragically, on June 19, Nick Carter was involved
in a car accident that claimed the life of another driver.
Nick has been hospitalized since the accident, but yesterday
was with the group when they were interviewed by MTV.


As the woman was talking, they were showing
pictures of the group, the accident scene and the MTV
interview with Nick and the guys. The next picture they
showed stunned Nick while he listened to the announcer:



No one is sure when or if Carter will ever be able
to tour with the group again. The accident has left him
paralyzed and unable to use his legs.


The picture that was on the screen was Nick during
a break on the MTV interview moving from the wheelchair and
into the chairs they had set up for the song.



His voice shaking while he sang with the group,
Carter was visibly nervous. We will keep you updated when
we find out more about this Backstreet Boy.



Nick shut the television off. He pressed his
nurse call button and waited for her to come into the room.



“Can I help you?” It was Tiffany, his afternoon
nurse.



“Can I get something for pain?” Nick asked.



“How bad is it?” The nurse asked as she
approached his bedside.


“I want a shot, no pills, I waited too long to ask
for something and now it hurts bad.” Nick lied to her. He
wasn’t hurting that badly, he just wanted the shot.



“Okay, I’ll check your chart and be back in a
second.” She left the room.



Nick reached over to his bedstand and grabbed his
glass of icewater. Slowly he opened the drawer to the table
and pulled out a tissue that was wadded up into a ball. He
unwrapped the tissue and exposed a handful of twelve pain
pills he had stashed aside. Without hesitation, he put them
in his mouth and swallowed them with a mouthful of water.
Just as he set the cup down, Tiffany came back into the room
with a syringe.



“You haven’t had an injection in a few days, this
may make you a little sleepy.” Tiffany said as she inserted
the needle into Nick’s thigh.



“That’s what I’m hoping for.” Nick smiled at her.
Tiffany, unknowing what he had done smiled back at him.


Home
Chapter 17 by Jenna
Chapter Eighteen



Dr. Gaynor was making rounds late today. He usually had
been finished in the morning, but there had been a bus
accident last night that had kept him busy in the trauma
room. As he approached Nick’s room, he was stopped by a
fellow doctor that needed his advice regarding another case
he was working on. Dr. Gaynor glanced at Nick’s chart and
felt that he didn’t really need to go in and see him so he
handed the chart back to the nurse when they walked by the
station.



“Good, the orderlies are here for shift change and
doing vitals, I’m taking a break.” Tiffany sighed. It had
been a busy afternoon and she had been on her feet for most
of her shift. “Janis, could you do the vitals in room 625?”
Tiffany asked the older orderly because she knew she
wouldn’t know Nick Carter’s celebrity.



“Sure,” the orderly replied when she grabbed
Nick’s chart.



As Tiffany settled back into her chair in the
nurse’s lounge another nurse burst through the door.


“Tiff, you need to come and help NOW.”



Tiffany jumped up quickly, she could tell by the
urgency in the nurses voice that it was serious.



“It’s your patient in 625, he’s overdosed.”



“Overdosed, that’s impossible.” Tiffany’s mind
went over what she did with Nick that afternoon. There
wasn’t anything she did that would do that. Then she
remembered the injection she gave him earlier. Her mind was
running through what she had done, could she had given him
too much? Did she forget to chart it and someone else gave
him more?



They rushed into Nick’s room. He was pale and his
lips were blue. A resident was ontop of him doing CPR. He
was barking out orders while he was keeping count. A crash
cart came in and the resident jumped off the bed and put the
paddles to Nick’s chest. His body arched in response to the
jolt that was sent through him.



Everyone in the room looked at the monitor, it
jumped, hesitated and drew a flat line. The resident hit
Nick with the paddles again. Once again, Nick’s body arched
with the surge that went through him. This time, the
monitor responded with the familiar beating rhythm.



Dr. Gaynor rushed into the room. “How the hell
did this happen?” He was angry and everyone backed off. He
took Nick’s chart and looked at the nurses notes.



“Has the blood draw come back yet?” He yelled.



A nurse came through the door with a yellow slip
in her hand. “Here it is doctor, just came in.”



Dr. Gaynor reviewed the results. The drug level
in Nick’s bloodstream jumped out of the paper. The levels
were almost skyrocketed.



“How the hell did he get this combination of
drugs?” Dr. Gaynor demanded.



“I gave him 25ml injection of darvodan when he
asked for some pain meds this afternoon.” Tiffany answered.


“Where the hell did he get the percocet?” Dr.
Gaynor shouted.



No one answered. No one was sure, did Nick try to
kill himself or was this accidental.



“You better hope to hell he comes through this,
I’m sure with a high profile case on our hands, the media
will be having a hellofa time with this one. Dr. Gaynor
knew the next step that had to be taken. Anytime there is a
suicide attempt, the authorities have to be notified.



“Goddamn you people.” Dr. Gaynor stormed out of
the room.



The technicians prepared to move Nick back to ICU.
They would keep this room open for him when he got well
enough to go back up here.



“Brian, I really want to thank you for helping me
out these past few days like you have. I can’t begin to
tell you how much it has meant to me.” Jessica said as they
pulled into the hospital parking lot.



“Jess, you know I wouldn’t be anywhere but here
for you and Nick.” Brian gave Jess a squeeze. They sat in
the parking space for a few minutes.


Looking out at the front lawn, Brian saw the huge
mass of fans.



“Let’s be wild and walk through the middle of
them, do you think that would kill ‘em?” Brian asked Jess
wickedly.



“I’m game if you are, dude.” Jess smiled.



“Let’s do it.” Brian was ready for a challenge.


As they got out of the car, Brian had put on his
Kentucky Wildcats baseball cap and sunglasses. Jess put on
her own Wildcats hat and sunglasses also. Brian suggested
that they go around to the back of the crowd instead of the
front. She giggled as they went to the back of the fans.
So far, no one noticed them standing there.


“Have you seen anyone yet?” Jess asked a girl
standing next to her.


“Nope, it’s been pretty dull. I was hoping that
Nick would at least look out a window or something.”



“How do you know what side of the hospital he’s
on?” Jess wondered.



“He’s in room 62625 which means he’s on this side
of the building and the second last window to the north.”
The girl had the hospital mapped out.



Jess glanced at Brian when the girl knew which
room Nick was in.



“Have you tried to get in?” Jess asked.


“Oh, god no, they have guards everywhere, the only
one they let in is that girl that we have seen with the rest
of the Backstreet Boys. She sure is one lucky girl.”



“Oh, who do you think she is?” Jess was curious
to see what the girl would say.



“I’ve heard that she is either a sister of one of
the guys or possibly a girlfriend of Nick’s. I really don’t
think she’s a girlfriend though, I heard that he is freed up
at the moment.”



Brian laughed, he couldn’t resist. It seemed that
as soon as he laughed, someone in the crowd recognized him.



“Ohmygod, are you Brian Littrell?” a girl
standing next to Brian asked.



Brian gave Jess the look to leave. She grabbed
his arm and held on tight. They made their way through the
crowd grabbing at him. Jess had someone pull her hair at
one point. Brian didn’t slow his pace down, he was afraid
to stop. The crowd was moving them along the way.



They made it into the hospital and onto an
elevator. As Brian pressed the number six button, Jess
laughed at him. “That had to be one of your dumbest ideas
yet. I can’t wait to tell Nick just to see the look on his
face.”



Brian smiled as if he was pleased with himself.
He enjoyed doing some of the regular things that his fame
has limited him in doing so.



They got off the elevator and walked down the hall
towards Nick’s room. Brian and Jess both slowed their steps
when they saw that there wasn’t a guard standing outside of
his room. They glanced at each other both thinking that
maybe Nick was in therapy again or having a test or
something and that was why the guard was not at his post.



As they walked into his room, they did not see
anything unusual to indicate that Nick was not there. Jess
asked Brian if she should check at the nurses station to see
where Nick was. Brian told her to wait a few minutes and
see if he comes back. After about ten minutes had passed,
Brian said he would go and check what was keeping Nick.


Brian came back into the room, his face ashen.


“Jess, come with me.”



“What’s wrong?” Jess was scared by the way Brian
was acting.



Brian didn’t say anything to her until they got on
the elevator and he pressed number four. He turned to
Jessica to tell her.



“Nick tried to kill himself this afternoon.”
Brian’s voice was thick with emotion.



“What! No, not Nick. Why would he do such a
thing, how could he do such a thing?” Jess asked.



“I dunno, we’ll have to wait to talk with the
doctor or nurse where he’s at.” Brian replied.



They got off the elevator and stopped at the
nurses station in ICU.



“Nick Carter’s room.” Brian asked the nurse.



The nurse looked at them suspiciously. Jessica
still had her green badge around her neck for visitation
clearance. She lifted it up for the nurse to see.


“He’s in room 4014, down this hall.”



“Thank you.” Brian smiled at the nurse as they
turned to go to the room.



When they entered the room, they found Nick again
surrounded by IV lines, machines and devices. He was
unconscious.



“What happened?” Jess asked the nurse in the
room. “How did he do this, how is he?”



“He tried to commit suicide by taking an overdose
of percocet.” The nurse did not elaborate any more than she
had to.


“How did he get the percocet?” Jess demanded.



“As best as we can tell, he didn’t take it when
they would give it to him, he would stash it. We estimate
that he had taken approximately fourteen tablets. He also
requested an injection of pain medication and had that given
to him around the same time he had taken the pills. If the
orderly had not come into his room to take his vitals, he
would not have been around too much longer.”



“Will he be okay?” Jess was afraid to ask.



“Time will tell.” The nurse did not give them
anything to go on with his condition. “You’ll have to wait
to talk to his doctor.”



Jess went over to the bed and put her hand on
Nick’s. His skin was cold and clammy, his face was pale and
his lips were blue. “Thank god he isn’t on a respirator
again Brian.”


Brian nodded. He was silently praying for his
friend.



Dr. Gaynor entered the room and greeted Brian with
a handshake. “Nick is a pretty lucky man to be alive right
now. It was fortunate that the orderly went into his room
when she did, if it were even ten minutes more, he would be
gone.”



“He’s going to be okay, isn’t he?” Jess asked
with a shakey voice.



“I have to wait until he wakes up, I don’t know
how long his heart had stopped.” Dr. Gaynor replied.



“His heart stopped?” Jessica asked in shock. She
looked down at Nick. “Is that why his lips are so blue and
he’s so cold?”


“His lips are probably discolored because of the
heart stopping but also because of the toxins in his body.
As you can see all of the IV’s that are being pushed into
his system, we are trying to flush the remainder out of his
system. Like I said, we will know more about Nick when Nick
wakes up.” Dr. Gaynor told Jess as he patted her shoulder.



After several hours with Brian sitting with her as
they kept vigil waiting for Nick to wake up, Jess started
feeling angry towards Nick.



“You know what bugs me the most?” Jessica started
out. “I have put my life on hold because of this stupid
accident, been here and practically lived here and what does
Nick do? He tries to take a cowards way out because he
doesn’t want to face reality. It would take a lot of time
and effort on his part and he didn’t want to cope with it.
Everything Nick has done in his life came easy for him up to
now. He can’t handle any challenges. I’m sick of this
whole damn thing.” Jess stood up as if to leave.



Brian sat listening to Jessica spout off. He knew
she was getting stressed by the situation and was hurt that
Nick didn’t talk to anyone about how he was feeling.



“You know Brian, he was feeling sorry for himself
a couple of days ago before the interview. He never said
anything to me but I could see it in his eyes, his face.
It’s my fault that I didn’t do something back then.”



“Okay, hold it, now you’re getting stupid. Listen
to yourself, no one knows what’s going on in Nick’s head but
Nick. After he wakes up, I’m sure there will be a few
people that will be helping Nick deal with whatever problems
he is having. Don’t beat yourself up on this.” Brian
replied.



Nick moaned quietly. Brian and Jess looked over
at the bed. His eyes fluttered open and then he looked
around the room and at the IV’s hanging from the pole. Nick
didn’t say anything he closed his eyes again.



“Nick?” Jess wanted to see if he was alert and
awake.



“What?” Nick answered quietly.


“What the hell is going on? What were you
thinking about? Don’t you realize how much you’ve hurt me
and the other people that love you?” Jessica was firing the
questions off to Nick. Brian grabbed her arm to quiet her.



“Just leave me alone.” Nick responded.



“No, I won’t leave you alone. I want you to think
about what you did. Damnit Nick, you hurt me.” Jess could
feel the tears burning her eyes.



“Get the fuck out of here.” Nick yelled at her.
He looked at Brian, “You too, I don’t need anyone in here.”



“Fine, be by yourself, that’s what you want.” Jess
angrily took off her hospital ID badge and threw it at Nick.
“I won’t be needing this anymore either.” She stormed out
the door.


Brian got up and looked at his friend laying in
the bed.



“What the hell are you looking at? I told you to
leave.” Nick muttered.



Brian knew all of Nick’s moods, but this was a new
one to him. Nick was rarely a yeller and treated people
with respect, he had never seen his friend act so mean and
irrational.



“You got a lot of thinking to do, boy, you just
ruined something good.” Brian said as he turned and left.
As he was walking out the door Nick started yelling.



“I don’t need anything from anyone. I will be
fine, do you hear me?”



Brian found Jessica sitting on the floor against
the wall outside of the room. She was crying so hard her
body was shaking.


“What is happening to him, to us?” Jess looked up
at Brian.



Brian sat down on the floor beside her. “I don’t
know what to say Jess. I think he realized what he had done
and failed and was now embarrassed to think that he couldn’t
even do that right. I think he knows he hurt people, but he
is afraid to reach out. We will have to pray for him to get
the strength and grace from God that he needs.”



As they sat in the hallway, a nurse walked past
them and into Nick’s room. They were both wondering how
Nick would treat her. When the nurse walked out of the room
after a few minutes they stopped her and asked her.



“I’m sorry, I don’t discuss patients with people
other than family,” the nurse replied as she walked away.


“She must of thought we were fans or something.”
Brian stated. “I’m suprized she don’t call security to have
us removed.



“Don’t look now then.” Jess told Brian as she saw
a tall man in a police uniform approach them.



“You are going to have to move.” the officer said
to Brian and Jess.



“It’s okay, we can be here.” Jess told the man.



“How do you figure that?” The officer questioned.


“We’re on the list to enter his room.” Brian
stated.



“Well then, you are either going to have to enter
the room or go to the lobby, let me see your
identification.” The officer demanded.



Jess was going to show the officer the green badge
around her neck but as she was reaching for it remembered
that she threw it at Nick. She also did not have her
driver’s license on her as it was in her purse which was
still in Nick’s room.



“Um, I’m on the list, but my ID is in Nick’s room
in my purse.” Jess said to the officer.



“Yeah, sure.” The officer didn’t believe her.


Brian gave the officer his driver’s license. The
man looked over his identification and then checked the
list.



“Is this true what this girl is saying?” The
officer asked Brian as he handed the license back to him.



Brian had a mischevious smile play across his
face.



“Brian, tell him.” Jess pleaded, she knew what he
was thinking.


“Yes she is cleared to be in there.” Brian
replied.


“Okay, but you either need to go back into the
room or go to the lobby, we can’t have people sitting in the
hall.” The officer turned away.



“Brian, do you think it would be okay for you to
go and get my purse out of the room?” Jess asked.



“Are you scared of Nick? I don’t think he can
hurt you.” Brian asked.



“Physically, no, but mentally yes. I don’t want
to get him riled up again.” Jess said.



“Oh, just go back in and get your purse, you don’t
need to say anything to him, I’m sure he’s sleeping again
anyway.” Brian replied.



“Will you go in with me?” Jess asked.



“Will you quit being such a wuss and go and get
your purse? I’ll be out here if you need me.” Brian winked
at Jess. “It will be okay, trust me.”



Jessica swallowed hard as she pushed the door
open. She slid through the opening quietly and walked
softly over to the chair where she left her purse sitting.
She glanced over at Nick out of the corner of her eye and
noticed that the top of his hand was bloody. There was
blood on the sheets as well. Nick had ripped his IV lines
out of his hand!



“Nickolas Gene Carter, what the hell are you
doing?” Jessica was so mad at him for avoiding all of the
help people were trying to give him.


Nick jerked when she yelled. He turned and looked
at her. The look on his face scared her. She had never
seen him look at her and then through her at the same time.



“I thought I told you to get the hell out of here.
Leave me alone! I don’t need anyone, anywhere. Just leave
me alone and let me die.” Nick yelled at the top of his
lungs. It was enough to bring Brian into the room and the
security guard as well.



Brian saw the blood and left the room to get the
nurse.



“Go, see Brian is smart enough to take the hint,
LEAVE!!” Nick yelled at Jessica again.



“I was just getting my purse, I’m going.” Jess
snapped back, hurt.


The nurse appeared in the room with a syringe.
Nick looked at her and started yelling, “You’re not touching
me with that thing, get away from me.” He tried to push the
nurse away.



The nurse left the room for a moment but then
reappeared with three men in hospital scrubs. Jess wasn’t
sure if they were doctors, orderlies or what. The men held
Nick down as she administered the shot in the first
available arm or leg she could get at. Within thirty
seconds, Nick’s body started to relax and then went limp.



“Thanks guys.” The nurse told the men as they
left the room.



“What did you give him?” Jessica asked.



“Just a little valium to relax him and get him to
rest,” the nurse responded.



“He’s so agitated, he’s not himself.” Jessica was
growing concerned about Nick’s change in personality.



“There is an order for the psych doctor to come
and see him later today. I know he would want to talk with
family before he talks to Nick. Are you going to be around
for awhile?” The nurse asked Jess.



“I will not leave if I am needed. I want to do
whatever I can to help Nick.” Jess replied.




Chapter 18 by Jenna
Chapter Nineteen



Brian walked into Nick’s room and found Nick sitting up in
bed with a tray of food sitting on the stand in front of
him. As of yet, he hadn’t touched his plate.



“Hey buddy, how’s it going?” Brian asked Nick
cheerfully.



Nick barely glanced up at Brian, he didn’t smile
and seemed to be off in thought someplace else. “Okay, I
guess.” Nick mumbled.



Brian looked up at the television to see what Nick
was watching. As usual, MTV was on. “Don’t let me stop you
from eating.” Brian suggested.


“It’s okay, I’m not hungry anyway.” Nick said as
his shoved the tray back.



“Nick, if you don’t eat, you’ll never leave this
place.” Brian commented.



“Does it look like I would be going anyplace
anyway?” Nick answered back sarcastically.



“Comeon, Nick. Why are you doing this to
yourself? You’ve already pushed Jess out of the way, are
you going for each of us one by one? We want to help you
but we can’t if you don’t let us.” Brian tried to reach to
Nick.


Tears started to well up in Nick’s eyes. “Why
should I try, Brian? I can’t do a damn thing on my own, I
can’t get up and walk across the room to the door, I can’t
put my clothes on by stepping into them, I have to squirm
like some damn animal. I am sick of this shit.”



“Nick, it takes time.” Brian said.



“Yeah, we’ll I’m running out of time.” Nick
snapped back.



Brian had an thought that would possible reinforce
the fact that Nick’s fans didn’t care if he was walking or
not, they cared about him.



“Come on, I want to show you something.” Brian
motioned for Nick to get into the wheelchair.



Nick got out of bed and into the chair in almost a
quick sweeping motion. Brian was going to comment on how
well his friend was doing in that aspect, but decided
against it.



Nick rolled the chair himself, he already hated it
when someone would push the chair for him. He felt more
like an invalid when they did that. He went out open door
that Brian held for him.



As they approached a small lobby that was encased
in windows on one side, Brian walked over to the windows and
looked down on the hospital grounds. He saw the large mass
of about 150 people standing on the ground holding up signs
every so often conveying greetings to Nick.



“Nick, I want you to come over here and look out.
There is something you need to see.” Brian pointed to the
window.



When Nick looked out the window, he was shocked to
see the number of people standing on the lawn.



“Nick, they’ve been here since the accident.
There has always been a crowd of people. They care about
you Nick. I’m sure that they don’t care that you can’t walk
right now or if you had lost an eye or an arm. They care
about you and that you are alive. They want you to come
back. Nick, we don’t need you to run onstage. You don’t
have to dance, just sing. They love you for your voice.
They love you for you. You helped others forget about their
problems when they listen to you sing. If you never sing
again, you would take that away from them.”


Nick listened to Brian as he looked out the
window. Hot tears slipped down his cheeks. Nick quickly
wiped them away.



“Yeah, but Bri, don’t you think it would look
stupid for me to be onstage? What would I do for an encore,
pop wheelies?” Nick asked bitterly.



“Nick, you’re not listening to me. I said it
doesn’t matter to the fans, they want to see you.” Brian
said.



He looked down at the lawn and noticed that some
of the people on the lawn were pointing up towards the
window. The group started going wild and the signs were
popping up. The only words that could be made out on some
of the signs was Nick’s name and we miss you.



“Hey, they’ve spotted you, why don’t you waive to
the crowd?” Brian asked.


“Because I would feel like a dork.” Nick replied.



“Comeon Nick, let them know you know they’re
there.” Brian encouraged.



Nick lifted his arm and gave a half-hearted waive.
The crowd below started to waive back and go wild.



“See pal, you still have it even from the sixth
floor.” Brian commented.



Brian had an idea. “How would you feel about
seeing a few fans?”



“Where? Here?” Nick asked.



“Yeah, just a few. I think it would be a good
idea.” Brian suggested.



“Oh, I don’t know...” Nick’s voice trailed off.



“Let me ask your doctor and see what he says.”
Brian said.


“The psych doc?” Nick asked in a sarcastic tone.



“Hey, don’t snap at me, you’re the one who was
selfish and tried to kill yourself, not me. You brought this
doctor on yourself.” Brian snapped back.



“I’m going back to my room, if it’s alright with
you.” Nick turned his chair around.



“Hey, Nick, if you don’t get your attitude in
better form, they’ll keep you here even longer. Try to work
with us, will you?” Brian called out to his friend. Nick’s
response was a waive. He never turned back.



Brian walked down to the nurses station and asked
about Nick’s psychologist. The nurse gave Brian the phone
number to his office. Brian took the number she had written
on the pink slip of paper and thanked her. Brian was
wondering if he even needed to consult with Nick’s doctor
about having some fans come in and see him. He decided
against having the doctor involved in it since he probably
would say yes and then charge Nick a $90 fee for
consultation.



“I think I’ll have to have Jessica’s help for
this.” Brian thought to himself. There would be no way
that he could go to the crowd and select a few fans to
accompany him to Nick’s room.



Brian decided to drive over to Jess’ house and see
if she would help. He managed to escape the crowd by
walking out the door with a group of people and he kept
farther away from the drive where the crowd would see him.
He knew that it would be impossible for him to approach the
group to ask them anything.


Brian found Jessica at home reading. She greeted
him with a hug. “How’s Nicky doing?” Jess asked anxiously.
She had not been back at the hospital since the day Nick was
taken to ICU for the suicide attempt. She stayed away
because she didn’t want to aggrivate him any further. He
was having so many violent outbursts that it scared her.



“A little better, he’s still so depressed.” Brian
replied.



“Oh. They’re still working with him though,
aren’t they?” Jess wondered.



“Yeah. They’ve got him on a few things now. I
hope that doesn’t go on for long though.” Brian hated the
thought of anyone having to be on mind enhancing drugs.
They put Nick on prozac and vallium. It seemed to even out
his temper a little, but he was still quite moody but not so
violent.



“I had an idea this morning when I was at the
hospital and I was wondering if you could help me on this
one?” Brian asked.


“Sure, anything.” Jess sounded excited. She
wanted so desperately to help Nick.



“Okay, Nick has been down about the use of his
legs. He feels worthless and that no one would want him the
way he is.”



“Yes, still?” Jess was hoping Nick would get out
of that feeling.



“Yes, but I have a thought. I tried to convince
Nick that the fans don’t care if he is dancing or not. They
love him for him and his singing. It wouldn’t matter if he
was in a wheelchair or not.” Brian continued.



“Go, on.” Jess waited for him to finish.



“Well, you know all of the fans on the front lawn
at the hospital, I was wondering if we got maybe ten or
twelve of them and had them come up to Nick’s room for
pictures and autographs...”



“Wait, what did Nick say about this?” Jess asked.



“He didn’t say much of anything. He got mad when
I said I would talk to his doctor first. I think it would
be a good thing for Nick.” Brian was psyched. He was
hoping that Jess would agree.



“Ten or twelve fans? How would we go about
finding some calm girls?” Jess was still considering the
idea. “I would hate to have some psycho come into his room
and hurt him. Don’t you think this could be dangerous?”



“Aww, I think it would be safe. We would have to
devise a plan to pick out some girls that would be okay.”
Brian said.


“Oh yeah, that’s gonna be easy, Hey anyone want to
see Nick Carter, follow me, but I can only take about ten of
you. I can see the mayhem unfold already. Jess said
uneasily.



“Quit being so negative. Comeon, we’ll think of a
plan on our way back.” Brian said as he turned towards the
door.



“Wait a minute, I need to get cleaned up before I
go. I don’t have any make up on and my hair looks like
crap.” Jess pleaded with Brian.



“You look fine to me.” Brian answered.

“Ha, ha, you can sit down and wait a few minutes.
Nick is depressed right now, I don’t want to depress him any
further.” Jess pushed Brian by the shoulders back into his
seat on the couch. “Watch some tv or something, entertain
yourself, I won’t be that long.” Jess hollered back at
Brian as she ran back to her room.



Brian reluctantly sat back and turned the
television on.



While Jess showered, she tried to devise a plan on
how to get a group of fans to come with them to Nick’s room.
She had an idea, and knew if they or rather she approached
the crowd in the right way, they would get only a few
people.



Brian scanned the stations and stopped on MTV.
They were counting down the top ten videos of the week. The
one that was on was not his particular favorite. It was
Britney Spears, “Sometimes I Run.” He rolled his eyes while
he watched her attempt to dance.


“Awh, man this is so lame.” Brian said outloud.
Most groups didn’t get on his nerves, but this girl was so
competetive that once when the groups were at Disney, she
whined because she was going onstage last.



“Jess, I hope you’re almost done, I can’t take
much more of this.” Brian yelled towards the bathroom. He
starting singing along with the video in a high pitched
voice, mocking Britney.



MTV news in brief came on after the video. Brian
turned the volume up:



Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys is still in
Tampa Bay Hospital recovering after an alledged sucide
attempt on Wednesday. He has remained hospitalized since a
car accident in Florida on June 20th.



“I am so glad that they share everything with
everybody. Poor Nick, now he has this thing hanging over
his head.” Brian thought outloud.



Jess came out into the living room and sat on the
couch as she towel dried her hair. The music video that was
starting was the newest Backstreet Boys. Jess watched Nick
intently through the video.


“Brian, I hope this nightmare ends soon and things
get back to normal.” Jess sighed.


“Me too, Jess, me too.” Brian agreed.

Chapter 19 by Jenna


Brian and Jess separated in the parking lot. She
told Brian her plan was to approach the crowd and tell her
she was a reporter and wanted to interview some of Nick
Carter’s fans and what they are feeling at the moment.
Brian thought that would be a great idea and while she was
gathering fans, he would wait in the lounge on the sixth
floor. Jess could bring them there before she took them in
Nick’s room.



Jess walked up to the front of the crowd. She
cleared her throat hoping that she had the voice to be able
to be heard when she talked above the music and the talking.



“Excuse me.” Jess paused for effect to see if she
got their attention. “Excuse me, but I am a reporter and I
would like to interview about ten or twelve fans of Nick
Carter’s. Would anyone be interested in coming with me for
about an hour or so?”



Jess looked into the crowd. Quite a few girls
ranging in age from twelve to eighteen came forward.



“I can only take twelve of you at the most. I
guess I’ll have to pick you guys out.” Jess touched certian
ones on the should and told them to stand aside. Once she
got her group, she asked them to follow her to the hospital.


“I have the equipment set up inside a room.” She lied to
the girls.



They followed her to the elevator. None of them
seemed to act like obsessed fans, which Jess was hoping that
would carry through when they realized where they were
heading.



Before they got to the sixth floor, Jess decided
to mention what they were going to do.



“I think it would be a good idea for you to know
that I have one of the Backstreet Boys that will be joining
us in the interview.” Jessica’s eyes scanned the elevator
for the reaction from the girls.



“Who is it?” A few voices piped up.


“I could only get Brian Littrell.” Jess responded
and tried to sound appologetic.



“Oh, god, is he really here?” One of the girls
from the back asked. “I’ll die if he is.”



“Please, you guys have to promise to be quiet,
remember, we are on a hospital floor and they will kick us
out and end this interview in a hurry.” Jess asked the
group.



They remained quiet when they got off the
elevator. Jess walked down the hallway to the lounge where
Brian would be waiting. He was feeling as nervous as
Jessica was about this. As they entered the room, the girls
spotted Brian sitting in the corner wearing a Kentucky
Wildcats baseball cap. As he stood up to greet the group,
the girls rushed him and knocked him over.



“Ladies, please, what did I say about control?”
Jess pleaded with the girls. “If you don’t control
yourselves, we will have to go back out. Brian is doing us
a favor and he doesn’t need you people to mob him.”



Jess looked at Brian while the girls backed off.
She pulled him off to the side. “I’m starting to wonder if
this would be a good idea after all.”



“Let’s see, we’ll gradually tell them about seeing
Nick and see how they are.” Brian whispered back to Jess.


“Okay ladies, just take a seat and we’ll get
started.” Jess directed the group. Brian sat back down in
the corner where he was.



After Jess asked them about how they feel about
Nick and being hurt, the girls had calmed down. Taking a
deep breath, she decided to let them in on why they were on
the sixth floor.



“As you probably know from standing outside, Nick
is on this floor.” Jess scanned the group for reactions. A
couple of the girls put their hands to their mouths. Brian
wasn’t helping in the corner, he put his hand to his mouth
mocking the girls. Jess shot a dirty look back at Brian
which made the whole group turn and look at him.



“Anyway, as I was saying, Nick is on this floor.
You have probably heard that he is feeling down right now.
He is recovering, but it isn’t as fast as he would want it.”



“Poor Nick, we love him so much we hate to see him
hurting. We heard about what he tried to do to himself,
that is so sad. We love him no matter what he can do.” One
of the girls in the group took it upon herself to be a
spokesperson.



“Exactly. I was wondering how you guys would be
if you were able to go into Nick’s room to cheer him up?”
Jess asked.



The girls started getting excited again, bouncing
in their seats.



“I could see if we can do that, but you would have
to promise to be calm and act like adults, could you do
that?” Jess asked the group.


“Oh yeah, we would behave.” The girls responded
in unison.



“Brian, could you go and see if Nick would be up
to some visitors?” Jess asked.



Brian nodded and got up and walked out of the
room. The girls watched him walk away, their mouths were
dropped open in shock. They couldn’t believe that they were
so close to Brian.



Brian walked into Nick’s room and found him in bed
watching tv and playing with his gameboy.



“Hey buddy, how ya doing?” Brian asked.



“Fine.” Nick replied and didn’t take his eyes off
the game he was playing.


“Do you feel up to company?” Brian asked.



“Huh?” Nick replied still not looking up from his
game.



“Jess is out in the lobby and----”



“She’s here, oh I want to see her and tell her I
am so sorry.” Nick finally looked up at Brian.



“Well, she’s not alone right now, so you would
have to wait a bit to talk directly to her.” Brian
continued.



“Waddya mean?” Nick was suspicious.



“Well, we took it upon ourselves to gather a small
group of your devoted fans and we thought it would be a good
idea for them to come in and see you. Nick, I think it
would be good for you to see some of them. I never talked
to your doctor about this, I’m going out on a limb here,
pal. Please say yes.” Brian looked pleadingly at his
friend.



“I hate the thought of anyone coming in to see me
like this.” Nick said quietly.



“That’s the beauty of it Nick. They don’t care
how you look, they just care.” Brian replied.


“Hospital gown and all?” Nick looked at his
chest.



“Did you want to put on the clothes you wore in
the interview on MTV?” Brian offered.



“No, it would take too long to do that. This will
be fine, I am sick afterall. Go ahead and bring them in, I
guess.” Nick sighed and turned off the gameboy and laid it
on his bedstand.



Brian went back into the lobby area where the
twelve girls were standing with Jess.



“Is everything ok with Nick?” Jess asked Brian.


The girls could hardly contain themselves when
Jess said Nick’s name.



“Now, girls,” Brian said to the crowd, “If you
can’t control yourselves, we’ll call this whole thing off.
Nick agreed to have you guys come in, but when I say we
leave, we leave. Don’t rush up to his bed or do anything
that could hurt him. Are there any questions?”



“He’s, like, not still in a coma or something is
he?” A girl from the back of the room asked timidly.



Brian and Jess exchanged glances. Jess rolled her
eyes.



“No, he’s awake.” Brian looked puzzled as he
answered the stupid question. “Anyway, follow me quietly.”
Brian turned and gestured with his hand for the group to
come along. They got to Nick’s door and Brian softly
knocked on it.


“It’s open.” Nick said from the other side.



The girls gasped when they heard Nick’s voice. A
couple of girls kept whispering oh my god over and over.



Jess was at the back of the crowd. Nick saw the
girls enter the room and he tried his best to smile. He
felt silly laying in bed greeting a bunch of girls. Nick
looked past the group of girls when he saw Jess come into
the room. His heart skipped a beat. He wanted desperately
to talk to her, to tell her how sorry he was for what he had
said to her. If he could only take that day back.



Jess looked at Nick. He was starting to look much
better, stronger. The black circles under his eyes were
almost faded and the color of his face looked healthy again.
She smiled at Nick and winked to let him know that
everything was okay.



When Nick saw Jessica smile and wink at him, he
knew they would talk after this was done. He turned his
attention to the group that had surrounded his bed.



The girls stayed for twenty minutes asking Nick
questions and wanted pictures or autographs. One of the
girls did happen to have a camera with her and asked Nick if
she could take a picture of him. Nick didn’t look too
thrilled about the prospect of a picture.



Jess thought Nick looked really sweet, his hair
was messy and he just had a boyish quality to him at that
moment. “Go ahead, Brian will take the picture for you.”



Brian took the camera and the girl stood next to
Nick’s bed to pose. Nick decided it would be okay for her
to sit on the bed and lean back so that they would be closer
together for the picture.



“Comeon, it’s okay, jump up here and sit back.”
Nick coaxed her.


Brian snapped two pictures for the girl. When she
got off the bed, Brian told them it was time for them to
leave. All of the girls gave a sigh saying they wanted to
stay longer.


“Nick needs to rest, this has been the most
excitement he’s had lately and I’m sure it killed him, eh
buddy?” Brian winked at Nick.



Nick gave Brian a weak smile which meant that he
was embarrassed and would get back at him later.



“OKAY. Well, follow me ladies.” Brian opened the
door and gestured for the girls to go out.



“Brian, I’ll take them back out, you can stay here
with Nick, okay? I’ll come back in a few minutes.” Jessica
said to Brian.


“Thanks.” Brian held the door for the girls and
watched them leave. Most of the girls said thank you to
Brian as they walked by him.



Jessica couldn’t get them back out to the front
lawn quick enough. She wanted to hurry and go back and talk
to Nick. She happened to meet Dr. Gaynor on her way back to
the sixth floor.


“Hi Jessica, how are you today?” The Doctor
smiled.



“Fine, and you?” Jess asked.



“Good. Have you been in to see Nick yet?” Dr.
Gaynor questioned.


“Yup, just took twelve girls to his room. Brian
and I thought it would boost Nick’s morale to have some fans
come in and see him. I’m sure he’s getting tired of being
cooped up.” Jess replied.



“That was a good idea. I was thinking about
letting Nick go out for awhile, not be discharged, but be
allowed to go out for a ride, go to a park, something along
that way. I think it would be an excellent idea for him to
get some Florida sun.” Dr. Gaynor was getting ready to get
off on the fourth floor and held the door as he was talking
to Jessica.



“Oh, that would be wonderful. Are you coming up
to see him soon?” Jess asked.



“I’ll be there in awhile.”



With that, Dr. Gaynor stepped away from the
elevator and let the doors close. Jess was excited for Nick
to think that he could go out for awhile. Her mind raced to
think of places he would want to go to. She couldn’t wait
to tell him.


Jess walked into Nick’s room to find Brian and
Nick watching tv. Brian stood up when Jess entered the
room. “I think I’ll go down to the cafeteria for a little
bit and give you two some time alone.”



Jess didn’t wait for Brian to leave. She went up
to Nick’s bed and kissed Nick. Nick gave her a tight
squeeze and kept whispering in her ear that he was sorry.



“It’s overwith, let’s never bring this up again.”
Jess looked into Nick’s eyes to reassure him that she was
putting that incident in the past.



“Come up and sit with me.” Nick smiled as he
patted the empty space in his bed. He wanted Jess to be as
close to him as possible.



“How are you doing?” Jess asked Nick as she
settled down next to him.


“Same. Physical theraphy sucks. I feel like I am
not going anywhere with it. My legs still feel the same,
and they don’t seem to be working on it at all, they just
want me to do arm and upper body exercises and practice
going from the chair to another chair and to a car and to a
shower. I’m trying to keep a positive outlook on this but
it is getting hard. I know that everything takes time.”
Nick sighed.


Jess touched Nick’s hair and smoothed it away from
his face. She kissed him on the cheek. “I wish there was
something I could do for you, babe.”





“I know you do. It really tears me up when I see
you and especially when I see my mom. You know how
emotional she can be. I just feel like I don’t have much to
offer being in the shape I am right now.” Nick appologized.


“Shhh. Let’s not talk about this now. Let’s just
take everything minute by minute.” Jess said as she
squeezed his arm.

Chapter 20 by Jenna
Nick was excited as he was getting dressed to go
and spend a few hours away from the hospital. He was happy
when Dr. Gaynor told him he could go. There were so many
things that Nick wanted to do, wanted to see. He completely
forgot about his limitations at the moment.



Jess was trying to think of places that Nick would
want to go to. Everything she thought of would be
impossible since he was in a wheelchair and she didn’t have
the physical strength to help him. She was beginning to
wonder if this was such a good idea after all. She was
afraid that after this trip he would become even more
depressed. Taking a deep breath, she pushed the door open
to Nick’s room.



“I’m ready to go.” Nick was sitting in his chair,
dressed. The smile on his face was something that Jess
hadn’t seen in weeks.



“Do you know where you want to go?” Jess asked.


“I don’t care where I go, I just want to get the
hell away from this place. I am so sick of it.” Nick
replied.



“Okay, I guess I’ll have to lead the way since you
won’t know where you’re going.” Jess turned and opened the
door for Nick.


As they were in the elevator, Jess kept thinking
about all of the obsticals that Nick would encounter and
wondered if he was up to it. The first hurdle would be him
getting into her car that was parked out front. Jess hoped
that there wouldn’t be a crowd outside watching the comings
and goings at the hospital. She didn’t know how Nick will
be getting himself into a car.



“I parked the Cherokee out front.” Jess told Nick
as they got off the elevator and walked through the lobby.



So far so good. Jess was thinking to herself. She
was silently praying that things would go okay.



The warm Florida air felt good on his face. Nick
took a deep breath in. The fresh air felt like nothing he
had ever experienced before in his life. He never thought
he would appreciate it, but after weeks of breathing the
stale hospital air, this was like a new awakening. He
wheeled the chair over to Jess’s vehicle and quickly
surveyed the situation. It was higher than what he was used
to moving himself in and out of. The hospital model was a
bit lower. Nick knew that he would have to really use his
upper body to successfully get in.


Jess scanned the area and was upset to see a flock
of photographers standing on the lawn. One of them had seen
Nick and was using a telephoto lense and was taking pictures
already. She hoped that Nick didn’t see the guy.



“Okay, I’m gonna try this.” Nick said quietly.
His desperation to leave was overcoming his fear of falling
flat on his back.



“Is there anything I can do to help?” Jess
offered.



“NO.” Nick snapped back at her.



Jess took a step back but was still behind Nick as
if she would be able to protect him from hurting himself.
She watched as Nick successfully pulled himself out of the
chair and slid into the passenger seat. As he was adjusting
himself and buckeling in, she folded his chair and put it
into the backseat.


Nick could feel the sweat on his forehead. He was
happy that he accomplished his mission on getting into the
car without looking foolish. As he turned to watch Jess get
into the car, he noticed the paparazzi on the front lawn.



“Damn them bastards. Why can’t they leave me
alone?” Nick said outloud. “Jess, will you be able to
outrun these jerks?”



“I dunno, I will give it my best shot, Nick.”
Jess sighed.



As she sped away, she looked in the rearview
mirror to see if any cars had followed them out of the
parking lot. She was relieved to see that it appeared that
they were alone as far as fans go.



Nick settled back into his seat and looked out the
window as Jess steered the car onto the highway. For the
first time in weeks, Nick felt free. He was anxious to be
released from the hospital permanently. He was tired of
tests, theraphy, drugs, the whole thing. He stopped taking
his prozac this morning because he was feeling better. Nick
didn’t like taking stuff and this pill seemed to him to be
something that clouded his thoughts. He didn’t want to take
a pill that would make him happy.



“I bet cha you’re hungry for McDonald’s, am I
right?” Jess was trying to think of stuff that Nick would
like to do.


“God, that does sound good.” Nick replied.


Jess took the next exit that showed a billboard of
McDonald’s. She knew that was something she could get
without having to leave the car. As they pulled into the
parking lot, she asked Nick what he wanted.



“My usual. I would eat the paper right now, this
is gonna be better than that crap I get at the hospital.”
Nick said.



A cheerful voice greeted Jess as she stopped at
the speaker to order. Nick liked going to McDonald’s when
Jess was driving. He liked going to McDonald’s when he was
driving. No one ever suspects Nick Carter ordering food at
a drive thru.



“Do you wanna eat in the parking lot?” Jess
asked.


“Hey, anything is fine with me.” Nick replied.



“What do you want to do after we eat?” Jess
asked.



“Do you have your cell phone on ya?” Nick asked.



“Yes, why, do you want to use it?” Jess asked
Nick as she handed the girl in the drive thru the money for
their order.



Nick nodded. Jess handed the drinks one at a time
to Nick and then the bag with the food. After she pulled
into a parking spot in the shade, she pulled the cell phone
out of her purse.



Nick took the phone and placed it on the
dashboard. “I’ll make a call after we’re done eating.”



As they were eating, Jess noticed that Nick kept
rubbing his left thigh.



“Is something bothering you?” she asked.



“No, I’m okay, why?” Nick replied.


Jess decided to drop it. “Nothing, I guess I’m
not use to seeing you verticle.” Jess tried to make a small
joke with Nick. He looked out the corner of his eye at her.



Nick laughed and then stopped laughing abruptly.
That was their way of saying to each other “funny, not.”



For a second, Jess thought that they had been
discovered by some fans. She saw a car full of teens park a
car and get out. One of the girls looked over at the car
and pointed discreetly. Jess heard the other girl say no
way and they walked into the restaurant.



“Wow, that was a close one. I guess no one would
expect you to be out and about right now. Must be MTV
hasn’t gotten wind of this.” Jess sighed. She glanced over
at Nick and saw that he was rubbing his leg again. “Nick,
what is wrong?”



“Huh?”



“Nickolas Carter, I know you better than that,
something is wrong.” Jess demanded an answer from him.



“I’m feeling something like pin pricks in this
thigh. It’s real dull, but it’s there and it doesn’t really
hurt or anything, it just bugs me.” Nick replied quietly.



“How long has this been going on?” Jess asked.



“A day or so. It’s been on and off, nothing
constant. It just gets annoying that’s all.” Nick looked
out the window as he spoke. He reached for the cell phone
and started dialing.

“Hey, how ya doin? I was wondering if me and Jess
could come up and see you. No, I’m out for a few hours.
McDonald’s. Yeah. Okay, just a sec.” Nick handed the
phone over to Jess. “Talk.”



“Hello?” Jess wasn’t sure who Nick had called.



“Hey.” the voice had a slight southern drawl.



“Brian?” Jess asked.



“How are things going?” Brian asked Jess.


“Okay. So what am I doing?” Jess asked Brian
while she looked at Nick.



“I guess you’re coming over to my place.” Brian
replied.



“Nick, you know you will have to go back to the
hospital soon.” Jess said.



“Screw that, I’m out, I don’t ever want to go
back.” Nick replied.



“Maybe it would be a good idea to come over. We’ll
see you in a few.” Jess closed the cover on the cell phone
and put it back on the dashboard. She was thinking to
herself that if Nick gave her any problems about going back
Brian would be there to back her up. Maybe Kev or Howie
would be there too.



The drive over to the apartment took over twenty
minutes. They hit every possible light on the street. As
Jess pulled into a parking space, she looked at the steps
leading to the front door of the condo that Brian lived in.
Nick was looking at the steps at the same time.



“I guess we forgot about those.” Jess said
quietly.



“There’s gotta be any easy way to do this.” Nick
tried to figure a plan out.



“Nick, I’m gonna have to call Brian and ask for
help. We will have to take you in backwards up the steps
and I can’t do that very well, I’m sure of that.” Jess
apologized.



Brian and Kevin came out the door after Jess
called. Kevin walked up to Nick’s side of the car.



“Hey, glad to see you out and about, buddy.”
Kevin smiled as he patted Nick on the shoulder.


Jess got out of the car and walked around to get
Nick’s chair out of the backseat. Kevin reached in and
pulled the chair out of the backseat before Jess could. He
opened it and then Jess took it and positioned it for Nick
by the side of the car. No one said anything as they
watched Nick scooch himself from the car to the wheelchair.
Everyone looked uncomfortable about it.



Kevin took ahold of the handles on the wheelchair
once Nick got to the first step. He turned it so Nick was
facing backwards and started pulling him up the six steps.
Once they got inside the condo, there was another five
carpeted steps Kevin had to pull him up.



Nick felt a little embarrassed about having to be
helped. No one said a word while this was going on. They
all felt the pain that Nick had to be feeling deep inside.



“Nick, we just made some pizza, do you guys want a
slice?” Brian asked.



“Oh, no thanks, we just ate.” Jess replied.



“I’ll take one.” Nick said.



Jess looked at him. “You just ate a quarter
pounder, supersize fries and a supersize coke and you’re
still hungry?”



“Yes.” Nick smiled. Eating was one of his
favorite hobbies. Nick always had a ravenous appetite.
Jess was hoping that he would learn to curb it since he
wouldn’t be as active as he was, but for right now it was
good to see him eat since he had lost about twenty pounds
since the accident.



“Jess, you want some coke or ice tea or
something?” Kevin asked as he gave Nick his slice of pizza.



“Anything is fine.” Jess answered.



Kevin looked at her and raised his eyebrows. He
looked at her and waited for another answer.


“Whatever you are getting yourself will be okay
with me.” Jess answered again.



“Okay.” Kevin said with a smile and returned with
a beer.



“I guess I should rephrase that. I’ll have a
soda.” Jess said.



Kevin again looked at her and raised his eyebrows.
He waited for another answer.



“Just get me any damn pop, dammit.” Jess laughed.



The guys laughed. Jess was always an easy target
to tease. As they visited for about an hour, Jess noticed
that Nick was rubbing his leg even more than before. He was
doing it slowly and appeared to be trying to hide doing it.



As Nick and Jess were getting ready to leave, Jess
looked over at Nick and into his eyes. They looked teary to
her. His face looked like he was in pain.



“Nicky, are you okay?” Brian noticed Nick was
having problems at the same time Jess was.



“No.” Nick’s answer was barely audible.


“What’s wrong?” Jess asked. “Is it your leg
again?”



Nick nodded. He hurt so much he didn’t want to
speak.



“We’ll try to get you back to the hospital as soon
as I can.” Jess was worried.



“How about I take you guys back, you can leave
your car here and one of us will take it to your house or
something later.” Kevin offered.



“Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.” Brian
agreed. “I’ll go along too.”



“Let’s go down to the garage then.” Kevin said as
he pushed Nick through the kitchen over to the stairs that
would take them to the garage.


The ride down the stairs to the garage made Nick a
little nervous. Instead of being pulled backwards up the
stairs, they were pushing him one step at a time forward and
Nick almost felt like he could fall out of the chair. He
was in a lot of pain so that didn’t help his disposition
either.



Kevin’s car was a large luxury car. It reminded
Jess of something that someone would drive in a funeral
procession. Kev also had a truck. He was the oldest in the
group and probably looked more at practicality rather than
good looks and attention grabbers like Nick’s Prowler.



The drive back to the hospital seemed to go slow
to Nick. He was breathing shallow and hard. Jess could
tell he was in a lot of pain. His face was flushed and
sweaty. Finally, Nick couldn’t stand the pain anymore, he
let out a scream that was almost blood curdling.



Jess could see the worry in Kevin’s face as he
stomped on the gas to get the car going faster. Brian and
Jess were sitting in the backseat.



Brian took Jessica’s hand to try to calm her down.
As they approached the hospital, Kevin said,”Where do we go?
Which way?”


He was upset and he talked loud and fast.



“Calm down, just pull up to the front.” Brian was
calmer. Nick was quiet and kept gulping air and moaning.



Kevin stopped the car in front of the hospital.
Jess and Brian flew out of the backseat as Kevin popped the
trunk open. Brian grabbed the wheelchair and pulled it
hastily over to the passenger door. Kevin flung the door
open and Brian grabbed Nick under the arms and slid him to
the chair. He hastily put Nick’s feet on the stands and
then he pushed the chair into the hospital. Kevin didn’t
follow Jess and Brian. He was going to go park the car, but
changed his mind and slipped off his ignition key and gave
it to the valet parking boy and quickly got his receipt.



Kevin ran in and caught the elevator before the
doors closed.



“Brian, you take Nick to his room and I’ll stop at
the nurses station and let them know that something is
wrong.” Jess tried to take a handle on the situation.


Nick was grabbing his legs and moaning. No one
knew what was wrong and what Nick was feeling. Nick wasn’t
talking to anyone. His eyes were closed and he was rocking
his body back in forth.



As they got into Nick’s room, a nurse rushed in
right behind them. She didn’t waste anytime putting a blood
pressure cuff on Nick’s right arm and starting the machine.



“Nick, where does it hurt?” The nurse asked.



“My legs,OH GOD.” Nick yelled when the pain
sharply rose again.


“Can you describe it?” the nurse questioned
again.



Nick had his eyes closed and his head was tilted
back. First he shook his head no. “It just goddamn hurts.
Knife stabbing, hot. It just hurts. Awwwwwww.”



Kev, Brian and Jess looked at each other. Was
this something good or was this a bad thing. How long would
this last?



The nurse left the room.



“Nick, do you want to lay down? Maybe if you
stretch out it may help your legs.” Kevin offered.



Nick nodded. It sounded like a good idea, he was
willing to try to do anything to take the pain away.



Kevin pushed the chair over to the bed. “Let me
move you.”



Nick normally didn’t want anyone to touch him, he
wanted to be independent, but was glad that Kevin offered to
put him into the bed. It hurt so much that he didn’t think
he would be able to move himself.



Kevin picked his friend up under the arms and
placed him into the bed. Nick moaned while he was being
moved.


The nurse came back into the room with an IV pole
and a syringe.



“Oh god, not another IV.” Nick cried out.



“I’m not hooking you up to it yet, Dr. Gaynor told
me to wait until he checks you out. I do have some morph
for the pain,” the nurse said as she lowered Nick’s
waistband on his blue jeans. She exposed his hip and
swabbed it with rubbing alcohol. Nick flinched as she
injected the morphine into his body.



Suddenly, Nick felt warm. The pain was slowly
going away. He also felt very, very sleepy. He tried to
fight the sleepiness but finally drifted off.



“There, that should help him rest,” the nurse
stated as she saw Nick go to sleep. Without skipping a
beat, she picked up his left hand and strapped a band on his
upper arm and looked for a vein on the top of his hand. She
prepped it and started up an IV.



“I thought you told Nick you were waiting for Dr.
Gaynor before you did another IV?” Jess asked her.



“Yes, I did, but that was only because I knew that
the patient would be out once he got the morphine and I
could tell he was agitated about the IV and distressed and I
decided to wait until he was out before I set this up. It
would be so much easier and I knew he would be resistant.”



“What is he getting?” Jess asked.



“Dr. Gaynor wanted him to get more steroid for his
spine. The pain was an indicator that the nerves are
starting to respond again and IV steroids work more quickly
than when they’re injected.


“So you’re saying that there is still a chance
that Nick could walk again?” Brian was excited.



“Can’t say, but things are looking better today
than what they did yesterday.” The nurse responded as she
was leaving the room.



Brian and Jess hugged. They both felt as if their
prayers had been answered. Jess hugged Kevin. “I hope that
this pain is temporary and that Nick will be able to use his
legs again. I can’t bear to see him in agony. It hurts me
to see him this way.” Jess said outloud.



Chapter 21 by Jenna
When Nick finally woke up, the searing pain that
had been in his legs were replaced with pins and needles
type of pain. It was the same type a pain you felt when
your foot falls asleep.

He was glad to see that he was in
his room alone. He looked down at his feet and
concentraited on moving a foot. He was shocked when he
thought he saw his foot moving under the covers.



“Naw, I must be seeing things that aren’t here.”
Nick brushed it off.

Still he was thinking that maybe he
did see something move. He concentraited again and tried to
move his left foot. Nothing, just as I thought. Then he
decided to try and move his right foot. Very slowly, the
blankets wrinkled where his foot was. Nick was moving his
foot! He was so excited that he let out a a quiet yell.



“YEAH!” Nick’s mind was racing thinking of all of
the stuff he would be able to do. He glanced over at the
wheelchair that was next to the bed almost mocking his
achievements. I will be so glad to get rid of that thing.
Nick thought to himself.



Jessica, Brian and Kevin came back into the
room.


“Hey, you’re awake. How are you feeling, Nicky?”
Jess went up to Nick and kissed him.



“Great. I mean, it still kinda hurts but wait
until you see this!” Nick couldn’t wait to show them how he
could move his right foot. He pulled the covers back to
expose his feet. He wanted to make sure that they saw his
foot move.



Brian, Jess and Kevin stood around the bed and
looked at Nick’s feet. Nick concentraited and was able to
move his right foot very slightly.



“Oh, god, Nick that is so good to see.” Jess was
happy for Nick. The movement was slightly noticible, but it
was movement.



Brian slapped Nick on the back. “I’m so glad to
see this. Maybe you’ll get out of here sooner.


“Oh, I didn’t even think about that! Hey, maybe
you’re right. That would be so cool.” Nick started
thinking about being able to go home and sleep in his own
bed, being in his own house.



“Hey, one thing at a time.” Kevin said. Leave it
to Kev, he was always the one in the group that usually
brought things down to the proper perspective.



“I know, but it’s so hard not to get psyched about
this.” Nick couldn’t control his happiness. Last week he
was looking at a lifetime of paralysis and now it looked
like he would be able to walk again.



Nick’s physical therapist, Tanya came into the
room. She looked shocked to see Brian and Kevin in the room
with Nick. She had been excited when she was told that she
would have the Nick Carter case. She liked the Backstreet
Boys but tried to play it down so that she would be assigned
to Nick. She tried to cover her nervousness.



“Hi Nick, how are you doing today?” Tanya looked
down at his chart as she walked towards Nick.



“Pretty damn good.” Nick was still high on being
able to move his right foot. It was such a big deal to him.



“You look pretty happy, why is that?” Tanya
asked.



“I just found out I can do something I haven’t
been able to do for a few weeks.” Nick said proudly.



“And what would that be?” The therapist asked as
she looked over at Jess.


“I can move my right foot. Look.” Nick looked at
his foot as he moved it.



“Hey, that’s great! I see they have you hooked
back up to an IV again.” Tanya was excited for Nick being
able to move his foot.



“Yeah, the nurse sneaked it in when I was sleeping
after they gave me some stuff. Why did they do that?” Nick
looked at Jess.



“Um, the nurse told me that with the pain in your
legs that Dr. Gaynor wanted you to get IV steroids, they
would work on you a lot faster than being injected every
four hours or so.” Jess answered.



“Well, Nick, I think we can go up to PT and do a
few things this afternoon, what do you think?” Tanya tried
to sound encouraging.



“I guess I’d be willing today.” Nick replied.
“Do you guys want to come along?”



“If it’s okay with her, we will.” Kevin looked at
the therapist. She looked up at Kevin and felt her knees
buckle. She was embarrassed when she went off balance and
fell against Nick’s bed.



“Whoops, sorry about that Nick.” Tanya tried to
regain her composure and cover up the fact that she nearly
fainted when she looked into Kevin’s eyes. “I guess that
would be okay with me if it’s ok with Nick. Nick, go ahead
and get into the chair.” Tanya moved the wheelchair closer
to the bed.



Nick started to move out of the bed but was
stopped quickly when he felt a tug on his hand reminding him
that his IV pole was on the opposite side of where he was
getting out of. He glanced over at the pole and then looked
at Brian who was standing next to it. No words were
exchanged and Brian dutifully moved the pole over by the
wheelchair. Once that was in place, Nick moved quickly into
the chair.



With the IV in his hand, Nick did not object to
having someone push the chair to the elevator. As they were
leaving the room, there was five young girls standing
outside of the door with the security guard. Nick lowered
his head and didn’t look at the girls.


“Awwwh. Oh gosh, look.”



The group heard the girls whispering back and
forth to one another about Nick and Brian and Kevin. The
guard kept them from following the group. Jess glanced back
before they got on the elevator. The girls had brought some
flowers and presents to give to Nick. She always felt sorry
for the girls that were turned away at the door. She heard
the guard tell the girls they had to go or be escorted from
the building. He also told them that they could leave their
gifts at the nurses station.
Chapter 22 by Jenna
After three weeks in the hospital, the day finally
came when the doctor discharged Nick. He would be going
back to the hospital every day for physical therapy and was
to continue to see the doctor that had been helping him
since his suicide attempt. Nick didn’t care that he had to
keep coming back for therapy, he was getting out and finally
becoming more independent.



Nick was able to take a few steps, they were
almost baby steps but at least they were steps. His left
leg dragged a little behind him, but the doctor assured Nick
that with time, it would get better. Nick couldn’t walk
alone though, he needed a walker just to take the three
steps. His wheelchair was still his constant companion.



“Are you sure you’re ready to leave this place?”
Jess teased Nick.



“In more ways than you could ever imagine.” Nick
answered.



Jess looked at the empty room. Brian’s friend
Pete had brought his van up to the hospital last night when
they found out that Nick would be going home and loaded all
of the presents up to take over to the house.



“I guess we’re ready then, I have the car waiting
for you.” Jess smiled.



Nick sat on the side of the bed. He was so pale,
the bruises from the accident had faded all that remained
were a few scrape marks and some bright scars where he had
been scratched so deeply on the side of his neck and arm.
The clothes he was wearing looked like they hung on him.



“Okay, anytime you’re ready.” Jessica waited
until Nick wanted to leave.


“Did you want to walk to the chair or what?” Jess
asked Nick.



Nick waved off the walker. It would be quicker to
just get into the chair. As he slid off the bed to stand,
Jess grabbed his elbow to support him.



“I’ll carry the walker then.” Jess folded it up
and walked to open the door. Nick followed her moving the
wheelchair like a pro.



Just what they both were dreading was waiting for
them outside by the car. It was mass hysteria, the press,
fans, photographers, the whole works.



“I knew this would be happening.” Jess sighed.
“Are you ready for this?”


“Got no choice. Let’s just do it.” Nick winked at
Jess. He was wearing his favorite white Nike hat backwards
as usual and he looked like a highschool kid to Jess.



Both Jess and Nick tried to ignore the cameras and
the people yelling and screaming at him. It was difficult
to concentrait let alone manage Nick getting into the car.


Nick waited until Jess had the rear door open and put the
walker into the backseat.



As Nick slowly stood up, cheers and applause
errupted from the crowd. Nick smiled in spite of himself.
He was thrilled with that accomplishment and was proud to be
able to do that. Jess had the car door positioned in a way
that Nick could hold onto the door and ease his way into the
car without her assistance, which made him look better than
what he actually was. Nick glanced at Jess, winked and
softly said “Thanks, I love you.”



Jess repeated the phrase to Nick and quickly
folded the wheelchair up and put it into the backseat after
she closed Nick’s door. She hurried around to the driver’s
side trying to push her way through the photographers that
had gathered in front of the car. They were taking pictures
of Nick through the windshield of the car. Nick kept his
head down looking at his lap.



“Okay, I really hate doing this stuff.” Jess said
as she started the car. She got nervous driving when there
was a crowd gathered. She was always afraid that some
obesessed fan would jump in front of the vehicle and she
would hit them. Nick had more of a flair for driving
through crowds.



“Just put it in drive and hammer it.” Nick
suggested.



“Oh, yeah, that always works.” Jess always tried
to be a little more cautious than Nick would be.



“Just a suggestion.” Nick laughed.



The whole time Jess and Nick were talking, Nick
never once raised his head or looked over at Jessica. He
kept looking down at his lap. He did not want to look up
because he knew the photographers were waiting for that one
good picture that they could sell and make money off of. He
hated knowing that people could make profit off of him.


Jess got out of the parking lot without any
incident. Nick was ready to go home and she couldn’t drive
fast enough for him. They had talked about her staying with
him at his house for awhile. He was still not able to be
alone yet, and he did not want to hire a nurse to be there
for him. Jess was the best answer. She was more than happy
to be there for Nick.



“God, the house looks so good to me.” Nick sighed
as they pulled into the driveway.



“I thought it would. How are you feeling?” Jess
asked as she stopped the car.



“Tired, I can’t believe that a little thing like a
car ride can wear me out.” Nick replied.



Jess walked around the car and got the wheelchair
out of the backseat. As she was setting the chair up, she
couldn’t help but notice that the street was busier than
usual. God, now they are coming over here and stalking
Nick. Good thing his dad put a fence around the house or we
would be having weird people coming up to the door, Jess
thought to herself.


“Okay, here you go.” Jess said as she opened the
car door and moved the chair towards the seat.



Nick lowered himself out of the carseat and stood
up slowly. He turned slowly and almost fell because of his
balance being offset. He quickly regained his stance and
sat slowly down into the wheelchair. Jess and he decided
that the best way for him to enter the house would be
through the garage, there would be less steps to go up and
Jess could manage the two that were there.



“I don’t plan on being in this thing too much
longer, but I never realized how many places have steps. I
guess you never think about it until you are in this
situation.” Nick said as he wheeled himself into the
garage.



Once they got into the house, Jess walked into the
livingroom and saw the flowers, baskets of fruit, stuffed
animals and balloons that surrounded the area. It looked
like a gift shop.



“Wow, Nick, you gotta take a look at all of this
stuff!” Jess couldn’t believe the outpouring of get well
wishes from fans.



When Nick came into the livingroom, he was
astounded. It touched him to think that people cared that
much about him.



“This is great. What am I gonna do with all of
this stuff, though. I can’t keep all of this. I wonder if
there is anyway I can get a message out to the fans and ask
that the best gift they could give me would be a donation to
some type of charity. That would make me feel one hundred
percent better.”



“You could call your publicist. They can get the
word out to places like MTV and stuff. You would have to
have a charity already in mind before you call though.”
Jess responded.



“What would a good charity be?” Nick wondered
outloud.


“How about something to do with children? That’s
always a good charity.” Jess offered.



“What children’s charity though.” Nick asked.



“St. Jude Children’s Research Center, they deal
with all types of things with children.” Jess suggested.



After that was settled, Nick decided to go through
the stuff that had been delivered and keep certain things
and have the rest be delivered to nursing homes and
hospitals. It was way too much for him to keep and he felt
kind of selfish having the stuff around. Before the truck
came to take the stuff away, Jess suggested that she take a
picture of Nick with all the things and send copies of the
picture to fan magazines and people magazine. Nick usually
hated having his picture go out like that, but he thought
that this would be a good idea and a nice way to thank the
fans and tell them to send stuff to the charity instead.



“I’m glad you thought of that, that makes it so
much more easier.” Nick said to Jess.



“Thanks, it was the least I could do.” Jess
replied.



It didn’t take long once Nick got home for his
phone to start ringing off the hook. Jess didn’t mind
answering the first few calls, but it started getting crazy
so they let the answering machine pick them up.



“Nick, did you want to lay down and get some rest,
you look tired.” Jess asked.



“Yeah, I guess I am a little sleepy.” Nick
replied as he yawned.


“Did you want to try and use the walker to go to
your room, or did you want to lay down on the couch?” Jess
asked.



“Bed sounds good to me, but I don’t know if I can
walk that far yet.” Nick answered. He thought about how
far away the bedroom was from where the livingroom was. It
seemed like miles.



“Why don’t you try to walk as far as you can, I’ll
be right beside you. If you start to feel like you can’t go
on, I’ll bring the chair right to you, in fact, let me put
the chair partway down the hall. Try to walk to that point
at least. I know you don’t like to do this, but the more
you do this, the better you’ll be.” Jess said as she moved
the wheelchair down the hallway after Nick got up and sat on
the couch.



“I forgot to bring the walker in, I’ll be back in
a sec.” Jess said as she hurried past the livingroom and
then out the front door. Once outside, she could hear
noises coming from a crowd across the street. She could
barely see them through the front gate. Ignoring them, she
pulled the walker out of the backseat and dashed back into
the house.



Nick stood up slowly and grabbed the walker that
Jess sat in front of him. His footsteps were slow and
caluclated. It was painful to watch Nick have to struggle
so much just to talk a few steps. His left leg dragged
slightly behind him with each step. Jess noticed that the
farther he walked, the more pronounced his leg dragged. It
took Nick almost 5 minutes to accomplish a walk that would
take less than 30 seconds. He was drenched in sweat by the
time he got to the wheelchair.



“I’ve got your bed opened up for you to crawl
into. Is there anything else I can get for you?” Jess
asked Nick as he pushed himself down the hall.



“Nope, I’m fine now.” Nick waived her off.



Jess walked out into the kitchen. She glanced
over at the accumulated messages on the answering machine.
The phone had been constantly ringing since they came home.
She pressed the review button to see if there were any calls
from people Nick would want to hear from. Most of the calls
were from friends and some fans. One call caught Jessica’s
attention, it was a call from Nick’s agent. Jess wrote the
number down and planned on giving it to Nick later.
Chapter 23 by Jenna
“Alright, I know that you’re beat, Nick, but if
you want to get this right, we have to keep doing this over
and over.” Kevin sighed as Nick slumped back into his seat.


Nick had decided that he was ready to rehearse for the tour.
He could at least keep his voice in practice. Nick knew
that the dancing would be out of the question for a long
time. The guys reassured Nick that they would try to
accomodate his inability to walk, let alone stand for long
periods of time into the act. They all said that the fans
would understand and that there wouldn’t be any question
about them not doing the usual routines.



“Kev, I really have had enough.” Nick pleaded
with Kevin. His voice was starting to sound hoarse. Kevin
was such a perfectionist that he didn’t understand the
meaning of quit.



“Let’s take 10, dude.” Brian smacked Kevin on the
back. He tried to come to Nick’s rescue.


As Kevin walked away, Brian sat down next to Nick.

“He’ll get over it.” Brian said to Nick.



“No I won’t.” Kevin yelled back from the other
side of the room.



Brian winced when Kevin responded.

“I didn’t mean for him to have heard that.” Brian
smiled at Nick.



Nick couldn’t believe how tired he was and how
winded he got from rehearsing. He sat back and tried to
catch his breath.



“Do you want me to get you something?” Brian was
concerned. He could tell his friend was feeling down.



“Nope. I think I’ll stand for a few minutes, I
feel kinda funny, must be my foot fell asleep sitting here
this long.” Nick said as he attempted to stand.



Brian grabbed the walker that had been placed
behind Nick’s chair.



“Do you wanna go for a walk?” Brian asked as he
placed the walker in front of Nick.



“Yeah, lets.” Nick slowly took a few faltering
steps. Brian put his hand on Nick’s back as he started to
fall backwards.


“Whoa, easy there, buddy.” Brian said as he
prevented Nick from falling back into the chair.



They got halfway across the room and Brian noticed
that Nick’s steps were slowing and becoming more difficult.
He looked at Nick’s face to see what he was thinking or if
he was aware of anything going wrong. Nick looked like he
was concentraiting intently. As each step went on, his left
leg was dragging more and more. Suddenly, without warning,
the leg gave out and Nick fell.



“Nick, are you okay?” Brian tried to help Nick
up.



Nick laid there shocked. He tried to do quick
inventory to see if everything was okay. It was then when
he noticed the sickening pins and needles pain in both of
his legs. They felt numb.



“My legs feel funny.” Nick said outloud. Brian
saw the confused look on Nick’s face. “I can’t move them.
What the hell is going on now?” Nick yelled.



“Easy there, you just fell, give it a few
minutes.” Brian was worried but he tried to get Nick to
calm down.



Kevin heard the yelling and came rushing in with
AJ and Howie. He was shocked to see Nick laying on the
floor in the middle of the reshearsal studio.




“Nick fell.” Brian stated simply.



“Okay, okay, I’m gonna try and get up.” Nick felt
embarrassed about falling. When he tried to sit up, he knew
instantly that something was not right. He was still laying
on the floor. He had told his body that he was going to sit
up, but nothing happened. He put his right hand down on the
floor to use as a lever, but when he was going to put his
left hand down, that was when he realized he was in deep
trouble. His left arm failed to obey the command that his
brain was telling it to do. Nick was shocked, he was slowly
losing the feeling in his right arm.
Br>

“Nick, is there something you want me to do to
help you?” Brian asked his friend. He could see that Nick
was scared about something.


“Yeah, call an ambulance, I can’t feel anything
from my chest down.” Nick answered calmly, but he was
scared to death.



Nick was silently praying that the paralysis was
not spreading upwards, he was trying to keep himself calm
but was feeling like the walls were closing in on him. It
was getting harder for him to breathe.



Kevin jumped up and ran to the phone to call 911.
AJ paced the floor while Howie and Brian stayed beside Nick
and talked to him. They wanted to ask Nick how he was doing
but opted for the hang in there buddy speech.



Nick felt unusually calm as he laid there. When
he heard the ambulance pulling up outside of the studio, he
closed his eyes. Kevin had gone off to call Jess and tell
her to meet them at the hospital.



Brian met the paramedics at the door. He led them
to where Nick was laying. The paramedics wasted no time in
setting their equipment down beside Nick and knelt beside
him.


“Hi, I’m Katie from Tampa Bay EMT’s, Nick, what
seems to be the problem?” The EMT knew of Nick Carter so
she didn’t have to ask anyone what his name was.



Nick opened his eyes and looked at Katie. “I
can’t feel anything from my chest down.” Nick replied
quietly.



“Did you do this when you fell?” Katie asked
Nick.



“No, I was walking and my left leg went numb.
After I fell, my right leg started going numb and then it
moved up.” Nick could feel tears welling up in his eyes.
He was scared.



“Okay, we’re going to have to put a collar on your
neck, just as a precaution, you might have hurt something
when you fell.” The technician said as she pulled a neck
stabelizer out of the kit. The other EMT was busy taking
Nick’s vital signs. Once the EMT snapped the collar in
place, she pulled out a mask and put it over Nick’s face.



“I just want you to have a little extra O2. Now,
Nick, we are going to roll you, just let us do the work,
okay?”



Nick didn’t reply. It would be easy for them to
move him without his help, as he wasn’t able to provide any.


The EMT’s placed Nick on a three count onto the stretcher
and after they covered him up with blankets, they pulled the
stretcher up to push him out to the ambulance.



Brian watched the entire scene unfold in
disbelief. “How could this be happening to Nick. I can’t
believe that this is going on.” Brian thought to himself as
he watched Nick being loaded into the ambulance.


“Can I go with you?” Brian wanted to be with Nick
so he wouldn’t be alone and scared.



“Normally we don’t let people accompany patients,
but I guess it would be okay this time.” Katie replied.



Brian called back to Howie, “See you at the
hospital, okay?”



“Yeah.” Howie yelled back.



Brian sat on the bench in the back of the
ambulance next to Nick. The female EMT was on the phone
making contact with the hospital. Brian’s eyes met Nick’s.
He could tell by looking into Nick’s eyes how frightened he
was.



Nick tried to blink back the tears that were in
his eyes. He kept thinking over and over how the shouldn’t
be happening. It’s taken him so long to get where he is at
right now.



The ride to the hospital was fast. Brian helped
Nick out with giving the EMT the medical information she
would need to relay to the physician once they arrived at
the hospital. As they brought Nick into the room,
technicians and nurses were busily rushing around Nick doing
blood draws, setting up an IV, hooking him up to equipment.
All Nick could do was lay there and watch. He didn’t feel
anything that was going on when they touched him. It was
scaring him and it felt like the numbness had reached the
base of his neck. Each breath that he took in seemed to be
very little, if any.



Brian stood out in the lobby to wait for Jess and
the guys. Where he was standing, he could see the people
going in and out of Nick’s room.



“Hi Nick.” Dr. Gaynor came into the room and
walked over to Nick. Nick looked at the doctor when he
heard his voice. Finally, he let the fear overtake him and
started to cry.



“Nick, we’ll take care of you, don’t worry.” Dr.
Gaynor tried to reassure him.

He picked up the chart and
read the information that Brian had provided. Dr. Gaynor
bent over close to Nick. “When did this come on?”


Nick tried to answer, but couldn’t. He was
growing weaker by the minute. Dr. Gaynor glanced over at
the oxygen saturation levels, they were at 92%.



“Are you finding it hard to breathe?” Dr. Gaynor
asked Nick.



Again, Nick tried to answer, but couldn’t.



Dr. Gaynor watched Nick’s oxygen levels dip below
90%. Suddenly the warning bell went off on the machine, his
level had fallen to 85%. Dr. Gaynor barked out a medication
to be injected into the IV line stat.



Nick felt himself struggle to breathe. He was
aware of what was going on around him but couldn’t
communicate. The numbness had started to climb again into
his throat.



The nurse injected the medication into the IV
line. As soon as Nick was sedated, Dr. Gaynor took a
scalpel and made an incision into Nick’s throat. He prayed
while he was working on Nick, fearing that he would nick a
vocal cord and ruin his voice. Dr. Gaynor didn’t want to go
through the throat but in Nick’s condition at the moment, he
had no other alternative. The paralysis had overtaken the
central nervous system and was paralyzing the muscles that
helped Nick to breathe. Putting tubing down his throat
would not help him this time.



Dr. Gaynor watched the oxygen monitor levels raise
to 97 percent. Satisfied with the results, he took the
gloves off and grabbing Nick’s chart he asked if anyone had
accompanied Nick to the hospital. He wanted to find out
details of how Nick had gotten to this point.



A nurse approached Brian out in the lobby. “Dr.
Gaynor wants to speak with you. Follow me please.” The
nurse took Brian by the arm and led him towards the room
where Nick lay.



As Brian entered the room, his eyes swept the
surroundings. Dr. Gaynor stepped in front of Brian’s view
of Nick.



“Hi, I need to talk to you about Nick. I need to
know what happened up to this point. Nick wasn’t able to
talk to me and I need to fill in the gaps before I order
tests.” Dr. Gaynor said.


Brian was getting confused when the doctor said
that Nick wasn’t able to talk to the doctor. He glanced
over at the gurney that Nick was on. He couldn’t see
anything but people surrounding the bed.



“Well, we had been rehearsing this morning, and
Nick started to complain that he was tired and so we decided
to take a ten minute break. Nick said that he wanted to
stand up saying something about his foot feeling like it had
fallen asleep or something. I asked if he wanted to take a
walk and he said that sounded good to him. We only walked
about twenty feet or so and I noticed that he was having a
harder time walking, his left leg was dragging more than
usual. Before I said anything to Nick, his leg gave out
from under him and he fell. He didn’t say he was hurt, he
just laid on the floor. After a few minutes, he said that
he was going to try to get up, but then he realized he
couldn’t and asked one of us to call an ambulance because he
couldn’t feel anything. That is all I really know about
what went on.” Brian talked fast, he was scared for Nick
and nervous also.



Dr. Gaynor listened intently to Brian trying to
think of what would have caused something like this to come
on so suddenly.

“Had Nick complained about anything prior to
today?” Dr. Gaynor asked.



“No, other than it was hard for him to walk very
far and we noticed that his left leg was dragging more when
he got tired.” Brian tried to read into the doctor’s
expression on his face. He couldn’t tell what the doctor
was thinking of.



“Thanks.” Dr. Gaynor scribbled notes down in
Nick’s chart and left the room.



For the first time, Brian was able to see his
friend laying on the bed. As Brian walked closer to Nick’s
side, his heart fell when he saw the trache tube in Nick’s
throat. This was not a good sign, he remembered what Jess
had told him the first time Nick was in the hospital and how
dangerous it was to cut into his throat.



Silently, Brian prayed for his best friend. This
did not seem fair that Nick had to go through something like
this. As Brian looked at Nick, memories of the things that
they did together flooded his mind. Nick loved to do
practical jokes, he hated to see anyone sad, was a typical
comedian, always trying to make people laugh. Brian was
having a hard time understanding why this was going on now
during the best time of Nick’s life. This was surely going
to set Nick back physically not to mention emotionally.



A nurse touched Brian on the shoulder. “We need
you to go back out into the lobby and wait. The patient is
going to be taken for some tests that Dr. Gaynor ordered.
We will keep you informed.”



Reluctantly, Brian left Nick’s room. The last
image of Nick in his mind was the trache tube. Brian found
a chair in the corner of the lobby where he could quietly
reflect and pray and wait.


Jess and the guys rushed into the hospital. They
had gotten ahold of her on her cell phone and went and
picked her up. The only thing Kevin had told her was that
Nick had fallen. He did not want to go into details that
would upset Jess. He was hoping that the paralysis was a
flukey temporary thing and that once Nick got to the
hospital, he would be okay.



Howie saw Brian sitting in the corner and
instantly started walking towards him. Brian stood up when
he saw the group coming into the crowded lobby. A few
people that were sitting there stared in disbelief when they
saw the guys standing before them.



Brian hugged Jessica. “Brian, how is Nick?”



Brian just held Jessica tighter. He did not want
to have to tell her about the trache tube or that Nick was
under sedation.



“I’m not sure.” Brian avoided looking into her
eyes. He wasn’t a very good liar and he knew Jess would
figure out he was hiding something if she saw his eyes.


Someone was either pacing the floor or sitting
flipping through magazines not reading while they waited for
some type of word on Nick. Finally, after a few hours had
passed, a nurse approached Brian and told him that Dr.
Gaynor wanted to speak with him. Jess stood up and followed
Brian towards a conference room.



Dr. Gaynor walked into the room from another door
at the same time they entered.

“We did an MRI and CT scans of Nick’s spine. He
didn’t break anything when he fell down, however, the tests
brought up something that I don’t see too often. I will
have to order more tests to be certain and have a
neurologist consult with me, but it appears that Nick has
either blood clots on the spine or bleeding on the spine.
I’m not sure why and that’s why I would have to have a neuro
surgeon take a look at these results.”



Jess grabbed Brian’s arm as Dr. Gaynor spoke.
Brian and Jess sat there listening to Dr. Gaynor, both in
shock.



“Is this what is causing the paralysis?” Brian
finally asked the question that both he and Jess didn’t want
to ask.



“Yes, it is. There is alot of clotting and blood
and it is causing havoc with the central nervous system and
could start to cause things to shut down on him. The sooner
the neuro doc sees Nick, the better.”



“How could you fix or can you fix something like
this?” Brian asked.



“Let’s just wait until I have a chance to talk
with the neurosurgeon, okay? I’ll make sure you know when I
know.” Dr. Gaynor stood up and shook Brian’s hand and then
left the room.



“Why, Brian?” Jess looked at Brian. The tears
slipped down her face as she was trying to understand what
was wrong with Nick. All Brian could do was look back at
Jess and wipe the tears from his eyes.



“Did you want to go see him?” Brian asked.


“Oh, yes, do you think it will be okay?” Jess
started to stand up.



“Let’s just go.” Brian replied.



Brian led Jess down the hallway to Nick’s room in
the emergency department. He happened to be in the same
trauma room that he was in the first time he was at the
hospital. Jess grabbed Brian’s arm as they walked into the
room. She quickly focused on Nick and saw that he had a
trache tube in his neck. Jessica’s knees buckled.



“Oh my god, no!” Jess cried out.



Brian put him arm around Jess and tried to calm
her down.


“No, Brian, this isn’t supposed to be this way,
you remember what the doctor said, they wouldn’t do that to
Nick.” Jess cried.



“Jess, he didn’t have a choice, they were losing
him and they needed to do something fast. He was
suffocating.” Brian whispered into her ear.



“Oh, but Brian, if Nick can never sing again, if
it changes his voice, oh, god, I can’t even think about it.”
Jess put her hand to her mouth and choked back sobs.



“Then we won’t think about it. This won’t happen,
Nick will be one of the lucky ones, he’s been okay so far,
hasn’t he?” Brian tried to reassure Jessica.




Jess walked up to Nick. She hated the sound of
the respirator, she hated everything that was hooked up to
him. He looked peaceful. She smoothed the blond hair away
from his forehead. “Oh, Nicky, I’m so sorry.” Jessica
whispered as she touched his cheek.
Chapter 24 by Jenna
Chapter Twenty-five








Jess and the guys were literally camped out in the
lobby at the hospital. They anxiously awaited any news
about Nick. It was hours ago when Dr. Gaynor talked to
Brian and Jess. Kevin had left a message for Nick’s mom and
dad to call on his cell phone, but so far they hadn’t
returned the call.


Finally, a nurse approached Brian and said that
Dr. Takagheshi would like to speak with him. Jess stood up
and walked with Brian to a conference room off the lobby.
They sat in the small room waiting for this doctor to come
in and talk to them about Nick.



A tall thin man wearing a white lab coat entered
the room. The name Dr. Takagheshi was embroidered over the
left front pocket.


Holding his hand out, he introduced himself to
Brian and Jess.



“I am Dr. Takagheshi, cheif of neurosurgery. Dr.
Gaynor requested I look in on Nick.” As the doctor sat
down, he sighed. “I looked over the results of the MRI, CT
scans that Dr. Gaynor had ordered on Nick. He has had what
appears to be clots for quite sometime, quite possibly
before the trauma of the car accident. I’m not sure what
would have caused it, more than likely he had a blow to his
back at one time or another within the last few months.”



Jess tried to think of when that would have
happend. Brian was doing the same and he suddenly recalled
when that could have happened.



“He fell offstage about three months ago and
landed on his back. He said he was fine.” Brian said.



“That could have done it. Anyway, what I will
have to do now is operate on Nick to remove the blood clots
and try to stem the bleeding that is still going on. The
clots are causing the paralysis because it is blocking the
signals from his central nervous system. We will do the
surgery and will have to keep Nick suspended in a drug like
coma for two to three days afterward to keep his body still
so that he can recover. We will know if we have prevented
premanent damage once he is out of the coma. I won’t lie to
you, time is against Nick right now, the longer we wait, the
worse he could be, these clots are pressing on nerves and
could permanentally damage them. Nick will be prepped for
surgery within the hour. Are there any questions?”



“How long will the surgery take?” Jess asked
quietly.




“Anywhere from five to ten hours, I’m not sure.
This is something that can’t be rushed into. Anytime you
are dealing with the spinal cord, you have to be extremely
cautious and delicate. I would guess if Nick is done within
eight hours, we would be doing great. I’ll see you in
awhile.” Dr. Takaghesi stood up, shook Brian’s hand and
patted Jess on the shoulder.



After the doctor walked out of the room, Jess
burst into tears. Brian hugged her to comfort her. They
walked slowly out of the room and into the lobby to tell the
guys what was going on. AJ’s reaction to the news was more
of a violent one, as he slammed his fist down on the table.
Howie and Kevin appeared to be as shocked as Brian and Jess.



“This isn’t goddamn fair.” AJ spoke bitterly. AJ
usually didn’t swear like that in front of Brian but he was
so upset that he wasn’t thinking about anything but the
unfairness of the whole situation.



Jess put her arm around AJ. AJ slowly started to
relax. Kevin and Howie just looked shocked. They felt like
everything was starting to fall apart around them and they
didn’t have any control over the situation.



The group decided to go to the cafeteria for
coffee while they waited. They knew that this was going to
be a long day for them, not to mention Nick. Each of them
were secretly praying for Nick but on the same hand also
praying that the news of this would not spread out to the
media again.



As they walked down the hallway towards the
cafeteria past people, there were quite of few strangers
that recognized them. The guys just kept walking and
talking like there was nothing amiss. Jess was in the
center of the group and just walked along with them, not
speaking.



They found a booth in the back of the cafeteria
and sat down. Some people were intentionally walking
towards the back of the room to look at them sitting there.
It didn’t take too long before they were approached by two
teenaged girls holding pieces of paper and a pen.


“Um, could we get your autographs, please?” The
girl that appeared to be older than the other one spoke
nervously.



The guys looked at each other. Brian had a sly
smile play across his face.



“Sure, Jess, you sign first.” Brian said as he
took the piece of paper and the pen.



“Me? Why me? They don’t want my autograph.” Jess
looked at Brian like he had brain damage.



“Oh, we don’t mind, I mean, after all, she is with
you guys so she must be someone important, right?” The
older girl spoke up, again nervous.


“Yeah, she is important.” Brian smiled.



“Who are you, are you a girlfriend or something?”
The younger girl asked.



“Yes she is.” Brian, AJ, Kevin and Howie said
together.



“Comeon guys, stop it.” Jess was started to get
embarrassed.



As Jess signed her name on the piece of paper a
girl put it together who she was.



“Ohmygod, you’re Nick Carter’s girlfriend, aren’t
you?” The older teen spoke out, almost too loudly.



The guys instantly hushed her to be quiet, they
didn’t want a crowd to come over.



“If you’re here, where’s Nick?” The younger girl
demanded.



“He’s busy right now.” Kevin answered.


The guys passed the paper around quickly to get
the girls away from the table. They didn’t want to answer
anymore questions.



“He’s not back here is he? Oh, god, I hope not.”
The older girl asked.



“Thanks ladies.” Brian handed the paper and pen
back to the girls.



“Is Nick here?” The girl persisted.



“I said thanks.” Brian did not want to answer the
question.




“He is, isn’t he?” They kept waiting for an
answer from the group.



“Hey, we signed the paper, isn’t that enough?” AJ
was getting annoyed.



The girls turned and left. AJ can be intimidating
when he wanted to be.



It wasn’t ten minutes when a another cluster of
girls appeared at the booth. This group was accompanied by
an adult.



“We don’t mean to bother you, but could you give
these girls an autograph, please?” The man asked polietly.



AJ held his hand out. He didn’t say a word to
them, he was starting to get stressed and was afraid if he
spoke he would say something he would regret later. The
guys didn’t say anything to the group of girls, they just
wrote their names very quickly and passed the paper onto the
next person.



“Where’s Nick?” A girl asked in the group. “I
thought he was out of the hospital.”



The adult came to the rescue before anyone in the
group had a chance to respond. “If he isn’t here with them,
then he must be here someplace else. I’m sure he’s okay and
it’s none of our business where he is so just leave it at
that girls.”


The guys smiled at the adult and said thank you to
him. The girls were obviously disappointed that they didn’t
find out where Nick was, but were thrilled to have
autographs.



Kevin leaned close to the table. “Man, do you
think we could find a place where we won’t be bugged so
much?”



“I don’t know, we’ve been here for about ten
minutes and have been interrupted twice. I don’t like
that.” AJ replied. “You know that the media will be
finding out about this soon.”



“Let’s hope not.” Jess said quietly back. “That
will mean security guarding the door and the whole bit.”



“Let’s see, Nick has been in surgery only an hour
and a half, he could be there for another three and a half
or more, there aren’t too many places to be at right now.”
Brian said.



A nurse approached the table. “Hi, my name is
Lynnette and I’m work on the pediatrics floor. I couldn’t
help but notice you guys, aren’t you the Backstreet Boys?”



“Yeah.” AJ replied quickly.



“Would you ever been interested in coming up to
the pediatrics floor and visiting with some patients some
time? It would really brighten their day, especially the
kids that are sick with cancer.” The nurse asked quietly.



“Yeah, sure sometime maybe.” AJ answered.


“Thanks, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to bother you.”
The nurse turned away and left.



“AJ, I think you came across kinda short to her.”
Jess put her arm around AJ. “Soften up.”



“I’m sorry, but I hate getting bugged at a time
like this. Everybody wants something all the time, we get
no privacy anytime.” AJ appologized.



“Yeah, but AJ, if people stopped bugging you guys,
you would be out of a job because they wouldn’t be listening
to you anymore, would they?” Jess pointed out. “We’ve got
over three hours to kill before Nick is even possibly out of
surgery, don’t you think it would be nice to do something
like this for the kids?”



The guys looked at one another. They seemed to be
hesitant about doing it.



“Comeon, guys, it’s for the kids.” Jess insisted.



“Alright, I guess it would be fun to do it.” AJ
answered, much to the shock of the rest of them.



“Great, then I will go over to that nurse and tell
her for you guys, okay?” Jess asked.



The guys nodded and watched Jess walk across the
room to the nurse that had spoken to them.


“Hi, Lynnette? I’m Jess and I’m sorry that AJ
seemed to be short with you, but he has alot on his mind
right now and he can be a little intense.”



“Oh, that’s okay, I understand, I guess.” Lynette
smiled at Jess. The other nurses kept eating while Jess
stood there.



“Anyway, I talked to them and they agreed to come
up to the pediatrics floor and visit the kids if you would
still want them to. We are going to be here for a little
while and I told them it would be a great thing to do.”



“Oh, that would be great. When can they come up?”
Lynette asked.


“When you’re done with your lunch, I guess.” Jess
answered.


“Okay, then I’ll come over to your table when I’m
ready and then I can take you there.” The nurse smiled.



“Okay.” Jess said and turned to go back to sit
down with the guys.



“The nurse will come over here when she’s done
with lunch.” Jess informed the guys as she sat down.



As Jess was talking, Kevin pulled up his pager and
looked at the message. “Nick’s parents must have finally
got my message, excuse me, I gotta find a phone to call
them.” Kevin started to slide over and Brian stood up to
let him out.



“I wonder if his mom and dad will come back from
California with the kids when they find out what’s happened.
Aaron is starting his touring and they decided it would be a
fun summer vacation to go as family.” Jess wondered
outloud.



“I don’t know what they’ll do.” Howie spoke
quietly.



Kevin was gone for a few minutes and came back
into the cafeteria. He was hard not to notice and there
were a few heads that turned to see where he was going.



“I talked to Bob and told him what had happened.
They are in San Diego right now. I told him to wait until
Nick comes out of surgery before they decide what to do.”
Kevin said as he sat down next to Brian.


The nurse again approached the booth, but this
time she had some of her friends with her.


“Are you ready to come with me?” She asked.



Brian and AJ lifted their cups and finished off
their coffee. They all moved out of the booth and followed
the nurse out of the cafeteria.



The guys knew that this was an important thing to
do for the kids, but they were nervous about doing something
like this. They got on a staff elevator with the nurses
and, of course, the elevator stopped at every floor to let
hospital staff and some patients on and off.



The time on the pediatrics floor went by quickly.
The kids were suprized and happy to see the Backstreet Boys.
A few of the kids asked where Nick was. Jess thought it
would be a good idea to tell them that he was sick and the
doctors were taking care of him.



Brian finally suggested to the group that they
should be going. It was getting close for the time that
Nick should be out of surgery.



The nurses asked them if they could take a picture
of the guys with some of the patients with them to put on
the wall in the hallway. Kids and nurses gathered with the
guys and Jess agreed to take the picture.



“Thank you, you guys have made their day.” All of
the nurses spoke to them in unison.



The guys replied by saying thanks and waiving.
Jess walked out with them to the elevator.



“See, now that wasn’t so bad, was it?” Jess
asked.



“It was okay, I guess, a little sad though.”
Brian said.


“Yeah, but you made someone’s day and that is
something that no one could ever take away from them.” Jess
reminded them.




Chapter 25 by Jenna
Chapter Twenty-Six








Nick ended up being in surgery for over eight
hours. Dr. Takaghishi told them that he thought the surgery
was successful and felt that Nick will be on his way towards
a full recovery and should be back to his old self within
six months. He seemed to have been very confident that the
paralysis would be only temporary and that the blood clots
did not cause any permanent damage.



Jess and Brian went into the neuro ICU room that
Nick was in. He laid there with all the equipment
surrounding him and looked so small. Jess reached over and
smoothed Nick’s hair away from his forehead. The respirator
kept it’s steady hissing sound as it was pumping oxygen into
Nick’s lungs. The doctor told them that he would have to be
on it until after he was out of the suspended coma that they
were keeping Nick in for two more days. Once he awoke and
they knew that he had regained feeling, they would be able
to take him off the respirator.



“Nick has never done anything in his life very
easily, has he?” Jess asked Brian.



“I don’t know about that, but lately he’s proven
that he takes the hard road on everything.” Brian quietly
spoke back.



“I want him to wake up so bad and to know that
he’s okay.” Jess spoke with her voice breaking.



Brian put his arm around her. “He’ll be fine, you
heard the doc.”



“Yeah, I heard him, but I’m still worried about
his voice with this tubing stuff. I pray to God that
everything will be okay.”


“Jess, he’ll be okay, don’t think about anything
else like that. You know the doctor was very cautious when
he did that. Besides, if he didn’t do that, we would be at
a funeral home instead of a hospital right now.” Brian
replied.



“I guess I didn’t really think about that that
way.” Jess touched Nick on the cheek.



“I’m gonna go back out so one of the guys can come
in and see Nick.” Brian touched Nick on the shoulder before
he turned to leave.



AJ walked into the room and stood next to Jess.
He didn’t say anything but looked at the respirator and
listened to it’s sickly rhythmn. Jess glanced over at AJ
and could see tears in his eyes.



AJ finally touched Nick’s arm and rubbed it.
“Kid, you’re putting us through hell right now. I’ve got a
few things to say to you when you wake up.”



AJ hugged Jess and left the room. She could tell
how broken up and upset he was about the whole thing. Jess
was sure that he was just as concerned as she was about the
tubing in Nick’s throat and how it could effect his voice
forever.



Kevin came into the room and hugged Jessica. He
too didn’t speak at first, he spent the time absorbing the
surroundings with the machines and all the tubes going in
and out of Nick. Kevin hated the noise of the respirator.
He hated everything it stood for.



“Hey Nicky, you keep fighting this and get
better.” Kevin took ahold of Nick’s hand and squeezed it.



Kevin hugged Jess and left the room so Howie could
come in. When Howie came in, Jess could sense how nervous
he was. He looked at Nick and turned away.


“I’m sorry, I’m not good at this.” Howie walked
quickly out of the room. He was upset when he saw Nick on
the respirator and he didn’t want Jess to see him lose
composure.



Brian came back into the room again.



“Jess, let us give you a ride home. Nick will be
out of it and he doesn’t know you’re here. You should come
with me and we’ll come back later today or early tomorrow.
Nick’s dad is flying in sometime this afternoon so we will
probably be back here in awhile anyway.”



“Brian, you know how I hate to leave Nicky alone.”
Jess stroked Nick’s hair.



“Yeah, but Nick is out of it at the moment and he
won’t be awake for a few days. He would be mad if he knew
you were hanging around here.” Brian tried to reason with
Jess.



“Well, what if his dad comes here and no one is
around, wouldn’t that look like we don’t care?” Jess asked.


“No, I’m sure that Nick’s dad knows that you have
been constantly taking the best care that you can for Nick.
He would understand why you aren’t there and would call you,
now comeon.” Brian urged Jess to say goodbye to Nick and
leave.



“Um, I guess. Nick, I’ll be back later.” Jess
kissed Nick on the forehead.
Chapter 26 by Jenna
Chapter Twenty-Seven







Jess hurried to the hospital. The doctors had
told her last night that they were weaning Nick off of the
medication that was keeping him sedated. She was anxious to
find out how the surgery took and wanted to be there when
Nick woke up since he would be scared having the tube in his
throat and not being able to talk.



Jess was relieved when she walked into Nick’s room
to find that he was still sleeping and hadn’t woke up yet.
The respirator was still keeping it’s noisy vigil making the
hissing noise as it filled Nick’s lungs with oxygen. A
heart monitor made pinging noises with every heartbeat.
Jessica took a chair beside the bed and took Nick’s hand and
held it.



After sitting next to him for about an hour, she
felt him move his fingers. She looked at his face and saw
his eyelids flutter open. His eyes had fear in them as he
looked wildly about the room.


“Nick, it’s okay, I’m here.” Jess stood up so
that Nick would see her face.



Nick grabbed at the tubing in his throat. Jess
took his hands away from it.



“Let me call the doctor, don’t do anything with
that tube, you could hurt yourself.” Jess tried to calm him
down. She pushed the call button and within seconds a nurse
appeared in the room. She saw that Nick was awake and did
an about face and came back in with a resident physician.



“Okay, take it easy there, Nick. Don’t fight the
tube please.” The resident physician talked in a soothing
voice to try to calm Nick down.



Nick looked scared. He couldn’t remember how he
got here or what had happened to him. He tried to think of
what had happened but was drawing a blank.



“Nick, I need to know if you can move your arms.
Can you do that for me?” The doctor asked Nick.



Nick thought the question was sort of odd, but he
did what the doctor had asked and raised both arms up in
front of him.



The doctor, satisfied with Nick moving his arms
asked the nurse for a medication to be injected into the IV.
The nurse left and returned quickly with a syringe.



“Okay Nick, just relax.” The doctor said as the
nurse injected the medication into the IV. As soon as she
started, Nick’s body went limp as he slipped back into
unconsciousness.


“We needed to sedate him before we took the trache
out. We will have to suture the wound closed.” The doctor
told Jess as he slipped on gloves.



Jess stayed away from the bed as the doctor and
nurse worked on Nick to remove the trache and sew the hole
shut. Once they were done, the nurse told Jess that he
should be coming out of the sedation anytime soon. He’d be
a little groggy but otherwise would be fine.



Jess sat down next to the bed and looked over at
Nick. He appeared to be resting comfortablly. His throat
had a large white bandage covering where the tube had been
inserted. It was good not to hear the hissing of the
respirator. When they took the tube out of Nick’s throat,
she heard him make a gasping sound, which she thought was
normal because the doctor and nurse didn’t react to it.



It took about a half an hour before Nick started
to wake up. His eyes fluttered open and he looked around
the room.



“Hey, how are you feeling?” Jess asked Nick
quietly.



Nick looked over at Jess. His eyes darted back
and forth as if they were searching for something.



“You’re back at Tampa Hospital. You had to have
emergency surgery, you don’t remember what happened?” Jess
asked Nick.



Nick’s only response was a puzzled look on his
face and he frowned.



“You had fallen and then couldn’t move and they
did some tests and found that you had some blood clots on
your spine. They figured it may have come from a fall that
you had before the car accident. Brian said that a couple
of months ago you had fallen off stage and landed on your
back. They think that’s what caused the clots. They had to
do surgery to remove the clots. You have been out of it for
about three days.” Jess quietly and slowly recapped what
had happened to Nick. He listened intently.


Nick opened his mouth to speak but nothing came
out. He tried again, still nothing.



“Nick, it may take a little while before you
should try to talk, they had to do a trache on you and it
was just taken out less than an hour ago.” Jess tried not
to look worried.



Nick, on the other hand, was scared to death. He
knew what it meant when they do traches and how it could
damage a person’s voice by altering it completely. All he
could think about was that he would be finished as a singer,
he would never be able to sing again.



“Nick, Dr. Gaynor didn’t have a choice, he had to
do it. If he hadn’t of, you would not be here right now.
You were suffocating and he had to help you immediately.
You were paralyzed from the base of your neck down. The
muscles you use to breathe were not functioning.” Jess
tried to explain why this had happened, but Nick did not
seem to care, if he couldn’t sing what would be the point of
living.



Brian walked into the room with a smile on his
face. “Hey Nicky, buddy, good to see you awake. How ya
doing?” Brian patted Nick on the head. Nick always hated
when Brian did that.



Nick smiled weakly at Brian and rolled his eyes.



“They just took the tubing out of his throat about
an hour ago.” Jess explained.



“Oh, I see, that’s good.” Brian wanted to ask if
there was any indication as to whether or not the surgery
was a success, but didn’t know if it was a good thing to
bring up.



Dr. Takaghishi walked in with Nick’s chart in his
hands.


“Good morning, I heard that you were awake. I
have been waiting.” The doctor spoke as he was looking over
Nick’s chart. He set the chart on the bedstand and walked
over to Nick. He checked Nick’s eyes, listened to his chest
and then started to ask Nick questions that Jess and Brian
were waiting for.



“Nick, I want you to squeeze my hands.” The
doctor ordered Nick. Nick responded to the doctor’s
satisfaction. “Now I want you to wiggle your right foot.”
The doctor made that request after he pulled the blankets
off of Nick’s legs. Nick frowned as he tried to move his
foot. After what seemed like minutes but was only a few
moments, his right foot moved back and forth.



“Great, now do the same thing with your left
foot.”



Jess and Brian held their breath when the doctor
asked Nick to move his left foot. That was the leg that had
been giving him so many problems after the accident.



Nick concentraited very hard on moving this foot.
It wasn’t responding as quickly as his right foot and it
moved ever so slightly. If you hadn’t been looking for it,
you wouldn’t have noticed it.



“Very good.” The doctor did not like seeing that
Nick had limited movement in his left foot. He asked Nick
to hold out his left arm palmside up. When Nick complied,
the doctor put his hand on Nick’s arm and asked him to push
up against it.



Nick struggled to move the doctor’s arm without
success. His arm didn’t have the strength to move the
doctor’s arm at all. Nick was suprised when nothing
happened.



Jess and Brian both felt their hearts sink. This
did not look good at all. They both hoped that this was
only temporary and waited for the doctor to say something
after he finished writing in Nick’s chart.



“You’re doing good, Nick. There seems to be a
little weakness in your left side right now, but that was
the side that was affected before the surgery. I wouldn’t
worry over it just yet.” The doctor said.



“What about the trache, when we he be able to
speak?” Jess decided to go ahead and ask, she was sure that
Nick was thinking the same question.


“That too will take some time, again, I wouldn’t
worry over that just yet either.” The doctor smiled.



It wasn’t what they wanted to hear, they wanted
time, a date, sometype of guideline to go by to know when he
wasn’t meeting the medical goals.



“I’m sorry, it’s the best I can tell you right
now. Just get some rest Nick, this is what it will take,
time and rest.”



The doctor left the room. Nick wanted so
desperately to talk, he was frustrated that he couldn’t
communicate with anyone yet.



“I know, buddy, I know.” Brian tried to reassure
Nick.



Nick couldn’t help but let the tears that were
building in his eyes slip down his cheeks.



“Aw, Nick.” Jess wiped the tears away. “It’s got
to get better, it has to get better, don’t think of anything
else but that.”



“Yeah, Jess is right Nick. It’s easy to say from
our standpoint, but it really will get better.” Brian said.



Nick closed his eyes out of frustration. He
couldn’t talk, he couldn’t walk, he wanted to be left alone.


“Nick, would you like the radio on or television?”
Jess was hoping that this would take his mind off his
problems.



Nick opened his eyes. Jess had to repeat the
options so Nick could nod his head yes or no. He settled
for the radio. As Brian turned it on for him, he chuckled
when Britney Spears came on.


“Ya still want it on, Nick?” Brian smiled.



Nick gave a half smile back at Brian. He was
getting tired and could of really cared less at the moment
if it was Britney Spears, Cher or Madonna.



“Okay, we’ll go away for a little bit and let you
rest.” Jess kissed Nick goodbye.


After Brian and Jess left the room, Nick closed
his eyes and let his thoughts wander. He thought about what
had happened in the past few months. He remembered when he
was onstage at Orlando Arena and misstepped and fell
backwards and landed on his back. The pain when he fell
shot down to both feet. He told the guys he was okay after
he laid there in shock for a few moments, but things never
really did feel quite right. He remembered for the first
time since the accident, the fight he and Jess had and him
getting into his corvette to just go out and be away from
everyone. He remembered seeing a blue pickup truck go
through a red light and the squeal of his breaks when he
literally stood up on them.



All of the things that had happened in the last
six weeks were not good things. It would seem as if the bad
stuff should be ending anytime soon. Nick’s thoughts
switched when he heard the song Backstreet’s Back being
played on the radio. The lyrics being sung almost laughed
back at him. Nick never really listened to himself sing
before, now the voice was haunting him.



Nick opened his eyes. Maybe if I concentrate hard
enough, I can say something. Nick wanted this all to be a
dream. He opened his mouth and tried to speak. The only
sound that came out was a gasping garbling sound. It was
very faint. It hurt his throat when he made that noise.
Nick decided maybe it wasn’t such a good idea to try to
speak, he was afraid if he did get his voice back he could
run the risk of damaging the vocal cords by straining them.



Nick closed his eyes again and drifted off to
sleep. It was safer in his dreams, there was no accident
and their wasn’t any injuries.

Chapter 27 by Jenna
Chapter Twenty-Eight

Nick woke up when he heard Dr. Takaghishi enter
the room. It had been almost two days since he had been out
of the coma and had the trache removed from his neck.
Still, Nick was afraid to try to talk, so he still didn’t
know if he could.



“Good morning, Nick. How are your feeling today?”
The doctor smiled at Nick waiting for a reply.



Nick smiled back at the doctor. He didn’t make a
sound or even make an attempt to reply.



“Nick, have you tried to talk yet?” The doctor
asked.



Nick shook his head no. He had a pencil and paper
on his nightstand and quickly wrote down the words “scared
to.”



“I can understand why you’d be afraid, but you can
try so we know if everything is okay. You won’t hurt
anything if you talk now. It was good that you didn’t try
to a few days ago, but everything should be healed up by
now. Try saying the word hi.” The doctor instisted that
Nick speak.



Nick opened his mouth to speak. At first air just
came out. Nick cleared his throat and tried again. “Hi.”
The word came out sounding like he had a severe sore throat.
The clarity wasn’t there either. If you didn’t know the
word he was saying, you would never know.



“Good. I think we can have a speech therapist
come in today and work with you. Just keep trying to talk,
it’s only going to get better, the muscles are still tight
from you not talking for a few days.” Dr. Takaghishi wrote
something down in Nick’s chart. “And I’m going to have you
taken off of the IV today too. I’ll see you again
tomorrow.”



Nick smiled. The doctor stopped at the door and
turned back towards Nick.


“I said I’ll see you tomorrow.” He was waiting
for Nick to say something back.



“Bye.” Nick replied, it was again faint and
hoarse.



“Remember to talk.” The doctor left the room.



Nick hated the sound of his voice right now. It
was hoarse, like after you have a bad cold or a sore throat.
The thoughts that ran through his mind was what if this was
the way he would sound for the rest of his life. It scared
him to think of not being able to sing. It scared him even
more to think that he could be left with a voice that would
make people cringe when he spoke. Nick could start to feel
the gloomy depression he was fighting slowly taking over
again.



Nick looked around his hospital room in ICU. He
was sick of the stale air, the machines, the tests. He was
beginning to wonder if he would ever be the same again. He
was tired of being dependent upon people to do things.



“Hi Nick, I’m Stacie and this is Nick from P.T.
We are here to get you out of that bed and sitting in a
chair today. I know you haven’t been out of the bed yet,
have you?” The therapist was a petite girl with waist
length blonde hair that was pulled back in a pony tail.



Nick shook his head no. He knew he was supposed
to try to talk but he wasn’t happy with his voice at the
moment.



“Okay, Nick, lets put your bed up so that you are
sitting up more. We’ll go slow, let me know if you start to
feel woozy, okay?” The male therapist talked to Nick as he
started to raise the head of the bed up.



Nick raised his hand up to get them to stop. He
was feeling dizzy.


“Are you okay?” Stacie asked.



Nick wanted to say wait a few minutes but opted to
just shrug his shoulders.



“What’s wrong?” Stacie asked.


Nick wished she’d ask yes or no type questions.
He shrugged his shoulders again.



“Are you ready to try again?” Stacie asked
cheerfully.



Finally, Nick thought, a yes or no question. Nick
nodded his head in agreement.


As they were moving the bed up again, Nick’s nurse
came into the room.



“I’m going to borrow his left hand for a sec, we
get to take the IV out,” she stated as she was shutting off
the IV pump.



“Good, eh Nick, one less thing to deal with.”
Stacie said happily.



Nick just smiled.



After the nurse finished pulling the IV out and
putting a band-aid on his hand, she asked Nick what his pain
level was.



Nick shook his head no. He was a little sore and
could have used something, but he didn’t want to speak.



“What’s with this?” The nurse imitated Nick’s
shaking his head. “I asked you a question and you’re
supposed to answer. Has he spoke to you guys yet? The
nurse asked the therapists as if Nick wasn’t in the room.



“No, not a word.” Stacie replied.



“He is to be talking, doctors orders. Now, how
about the pain level, Nick.” The nurse waited for an
answer.


Nick tried to say the word six but just hoarseness
came out. He tried to clear his throat and say it again.
This time it came out very faintly.



“Would you like something then?” The nurse asked,
“and answer, don’t nod.”



God, how I hate this woman right now, Nick was
thinking. “Ea” was all of the word yeah that Nick was able
to say. What came out didn’t sound as clearly as it should
have.



“Okay, I’ll be back. Remember to talk.”



Nick watched his nurse leave. He really hated her
insistance on him talking.


“Alright Nick, let’s have you try and sit on the
edge of the bed. Use the rails if you need to help yourself
move.” Stacie said.



Nick struggled to move his legs over to the side
of the bed. They felt so heavy. Finally after what seemed
like an eternity, he was sitting up with his legs hanging
over the side of the bed. He started to feel faint.



“Here, take a sip of your water.” Stacie ordered
him.



Nick took a sip from the straw. The nurse came
back into the room with Nick’s pain pills.



“Doesn’t it feel good to sit up Nick?” the nurse
asked.



Nick cleared his throat. He hoped she would
accept that as an attempt to answer her. It wasn’t.



“Well, isn’t it?” She waited for an answer.



Nick wanted to shout, God I hate you Mary to his
nurse but managed to say a quiet “yes.”



“How are you feeling?” Stacie asked Nick after
Mary left the room.


Nick tried to answer saying “okay” but what came
out wasn’t anything the therapist understood.



“I’m sorry, did you say alright?” She was
guessing.



Nick nodded, it was close enough for him.



“Okay, do you think you’re ready to stand? I’ll
have Nick put the walker in front of you. Now remember to
use your legs and the bed for balance and not the walker,
okay?” Stacie wanted to make sure Nick understood.



Nick nodded. He waited until a therapist was on
either side of him. Nick remembered the routine from the
last time he was in the hospital.



As he slowly stood up, he noticed how his legs
were shakey. Both therapists had grabbed one of his arms to
keep him from falling.



“Easy there. Are you still doing okay?” Stacie
turned to face Nick when she asked the question.



Again, as Nick answered, the word didn’t sound
right.



Evidentally, Stacie thought Nick said no.



“Okay, we’ll have you sit back down then. We’ll
try to have you take a few steps later today.” Stacie
stayed by Nick as he was sitting back in bed. Before he
could turn and get himself into position to lay down, an
orderly appeared in the room with a wheelchair.



“I’m here to take you to speech therapy.”


Nick wasn’t sure he wanted to go there. He was
scared that his voice would never get better.



The orderly brought the wheelchair over to the
bed.



Stacie asked Nick if he would want help
transferring from the bed to the chair.



This is one thing I know I can do, Nick thought to
himself.



Nick used his upper body to get off the bed and
into the chair.



“That was pretty good Nick, but remember next time
to try and use your legs.” Stacie observed. “I’ll be back
in the afternoon to have you take a few steps. See you
then.”


Nick was thankful that Stacie didn’t wait for a
reply from him.



“Okay, are you ready to go?” The orderly asked
Nick.



Nick nodded. He did not want to go but he knew
that he had no other choice. He was scared. His whole life
was his voice, without that he would be nobody, he let his
thoughts drift towards all of the negative things that would
be if his singing was taken away from him.



“When you are done with speech, you will be going
to a regular room instead of ICU. I don’t know if they told
you that.” The orderly made small talk while they were in
the elevator.



Nick kept his eyes focused on the floor. He did
not want to make small talk with anyone. The elevator
seemed to take forever to get to the sixth floor. Worse
yet, when they got to the therapy room, the orderly parked
the wheelchair and told him it would be a few minutes before
the therapist would be over to see him.


“Great, here I sit with everyone walking by me and
staring at me,” Nick thought to himself. He prayed that no
one would come up and talk to him. His worse fears were
realized when a young girl in her teens boldly approached
him.



“Excuse me, are you Nick Carter?” She looked down
at Nick when she asked him.



Nick wouldn’t and couldn’t talk to this girl. He
shook his head no and put his hand up to his throat.



“What, you can’t talk? Oh my god, no, please tell
me it isn’t true.” The girl looked upset. This was not
what Nick had in mind, he was hoping she would think he
meant no. Desperately, he tried to think of a way out of
the situation. He motioned that he needed something to
write on and a pencil.



The girl had a piece of paper and a pen. Nick
hastily scribbled on the paper: No, sorry, you must have me
confused with someone else.



As Nick handed the paper back to the girl to read,
the speech therapist picked the worst time possible to come
to Nick.



“Hi Nick, are you ready to get started?”



The girl’s mouth dropped open. “You are Nick
Carter. Oh my god, what happened?”



Nick couldn’t speak on his behalf, he shrugged his
shoulders. Thankfully, the therapist turned the wheelchair
to take Nick to the room.


“What happened?” The girl still was waiting for
an answer.



“I’m sorry, but it is a policy not to discuss
patient’s records with strangers.” The therapist finally
stepped in and responded to the girl.



Nick prayed that this was the farthest this would
carry. All he needed was for this to get out to the media.
They would have a field day with that.



“Okay, Nick, I want to see what range your voice
is left with right now. Can you say the letter a?”



Nick looked at the woman’s hospital identification
tag. Her name was Jane. It instantly made him think of his
mother.


Nick tried to say “aye” but all that would come
out was something that sounded like it came from an animal.
It was low and gutteral.



“Can you clear your throat?” Jane asked him.



Nick nodded and cleared his throat, even that
didn’t sound normal or natural.



“Try saying the letter a again but this time, try
saying it softly, almost a whisper.” Jane encouraged.



“Aye.” Nick almost couldn’t hear himself, but he
thought what he heard was what he wanted to say.



“Very good, Nick. Now say the letter b.” Jane
wrote something down in the chart. “Do it softly again as
before.”



Nick licked his lips as if he was attempting to
climb a mountain. “Bee.” Again, it was very soft, but it
was clear.



After spending thirty minutes with Jane working on
his speech, Nick found that he could say short sentences as
long as he spoke just barely whispering.



“Okay, Nick, I want you to keep talking like we
are practicing, your range will improve once your muscles
get stronger. It’s just best to talk the way you are right
now, your voice has had a trauma and it will take time to
heal.” Jane tried to encourage Nick.


“Okay, thanks.” Nick replied. It was very soft,
almost too soft, but at least he could say something back
for a change.



“We’ll try something new tomorrow. Okay?”



“Okay.” Nick smiled. He was praying that
tomorrow he would be able to speak up louder and clearer.
Chapter 28 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Twenty-Nine</h1>
<br><br>




Nick was surprised when he was taken to his new
room to find Jess and Brian sitting in the room waiting for
him. Jess didn’t waste a second going up to Nick and giving
him a bear hug and a kiss.<br><br>

“I missed you.” Jess said in his ear. <br><br>

Nick whispered back to Jess in her ear, “I missed
you too.” <br><br>

Jess pulled back quickly from their embrace.

“Oh, Nick, you can talk!” She was so happy she
couldn’t hide her excitement.<br><br>

Nick smiled at her. He was afraid to say anything
else, she would know then that all he could do was whisper.<br><br>

“Hey pal, that’s great.” Brian smacked Nick on
the shoulder.<Br><br>

Both Brian and Jess stood there and looked at
Nick. They waited for him to initiate the conversation.<br><br>

Nick sat in the wheelchair and stared at Brian and
Jess. He wasn’t going to utter a word unless he had to.<br><br>
“You know, this staredown can last for quite
awhile. Don’t you have anything you would like to share?”
Brian commented.<Br><br>

Nick shook his head no. Jess and Brian glanced at
each other. <br><br>

“What’s wrong Nick?” Jess knew immediately that
Nick was hiding something from them.<br><br>

Nick finally decided to speak again. He cleared
his throat and spoke softly, “I can’t talk any higher than
this.” It was barely audible. <Br><br>

“For how long? This is only temporary isn’t it?”
Jess asked. She was hoping he would say yes, it was
temporary.<Br><br>

“I don’t know, they won’t say.” Nick whispered
back. His eyes started to sting with the tears that were
filling up in them.<Br><br>


“Awh, Nick, don’t get yourself all worried yet,
you just started talking today, didn’t you?” Jess said as
she put her arms around him.<Br><br>

“Yes.” Nick whispered quietly.<Br><br>

“And you just started speech therapy today also,
didn’t you?” Brian asked.<br><br>

“Yes.” Nick again whispered quietly.<br><br>

Brian looked his friend in the eyes. “It’s gonna
take some time, don’t get yourself all upset about this.”<br><br>

“That’s easy for you to say,” Nick whispered, “I
don’t know what I will be left with a month from now.” <br><br>

Nick let the tears slip down his cheeks. He was
so sick of not having his body respond the way he wanted it
to. He was beginning to feel as if he would never be the
same again. He was trying to fight the feelings of being
helpless and useless. He did not want to let Brian and Jess
know how he was feeling.<br><br>
“Nick, are you okay?” Brian always picked up on
Nick’s moods.<br><br>

“Yeah, I’m fine.” Nick lied.<br><br>

“Hey, I know there’s something bothering you,
don’t lie to me, I want to help you.” Brian rubbed Nick’s
shoulder. “Comeon, what’s wrong?”<br><br>

“It’s nothing, don’t worry.” Nick was starting to
get annoyed. <br><br>

Brian wasn’t convinced, but he decided to let it
go for the moment. He knew Nick all too well and knew that
he was hiding something. He was afraid that Nick was going
into a depression again, but hopefully it wouldn’t be as bad
as the last time.<br><br>
Nick decided he wanted to lay down in bed. He
moved the wheelchair over to the side of the bed and
grabbing the armrests on the chair, he pushed himself up to
a standing position. Once he was standing, he soon realized
that it was a stupid decision on his behalf to try to do
that without anyone standing near him.<br><br>

Brian rushed up and caught Nick as he was starting
to fall forward. “Whoa, I got you.” <br><br>

“Guess that wasn’t a good idea.” Nick said
softly.<br><br>

Brian stayed by Nick while he turned himself and
sat down on the edge of the bed. <br><br>

“Have you stood up yet, Nick?” Brian questioned
his friend.<br><br>
“Yeah, earlier with the therapists. Only once.”
Nick said quietly. “I shouldn’t of tried to do this on my
own but I thought I could.” Nick hated this. He was so
upset, he wanted to be left alone. <br><br>

“Don’t be so hard on yourself, you have been sick
for so long that you are anxious to do stuff for yourself.”
Jess tried to reason with Nick.<br><br>

Nick didn’t respond, he just pushed himself back
into the bed and laid down. He picked up his game boy and
turned it on and proceeded to play a game. He was hoping
that they would go away, he didn’t feel like talking to
anyone.<Br><br>

“Nick, I am starting to get worried about you
again.” Jess was getting annoyed that he was trying to
ignore her and Brian.<br><br>

Nick stopped what he was doing and looked up at
Jessica. He raised his voice above the whisper level and
was trying to say “Can’t you guys just accept that fact that
I can’t do a goddamn thing right now?”, but the only thing
that came out was not understandable. Frustrated, Nick
threw his gameboy on the nightstand. It hit the table and
then it slid off onto the floor and popped open.<br><br>

“Nickolas Carter, take a breath and count to ten.
You need to calm down.” Jessica was mad. She hated when
Nick’s temper flared up. He had a tendency to throw stuff
around and do a lot of yelling. It was easier about the
yelling stuff this time since he couldn’t yell.<br><br>
“Now that you broke your gameboy, you have to talk
to us.” Brian stated.<br><br>

Nick glanced at Brian and had a dark look on his
face. He picked up the remote for his television and turned
it on. He surfed through the channels and stopped at MTV.<br><br>

“Well, we can sit with you and watch tv.” Jessica
said as she sat down. Brian pulled a chair up next to her
and sat with her.<br><br>
Nick glared at them. “Alright, I can see that you
won’t go away.” Nick whispered with an angry tone in his
voice.<br><br>

“Nope, we’re not going away.” Brian answered.
“Not when we know your in this type of mood.” <br><br>

Nick resigned himself that he was going to have
company whether he liked it or not. He knew that they were
picking up on his frustrations, but it was so hard not to be
that way.<br><br>

They picked up on the MTV 30 second news update.
Everyone felt a sickened feeling in their stomachs when they
listened:<br><br>

<i>Backstreet Boy Nick Carter is back in the
hospital. Apparently he had to have emergency surgery to
remove blood clots in his spine. The doctors determined
that the clots were caused when Carter fell and not from the
automobile accident in June.<br><br>

It appears that the surgery was a success and he
is not permanently paralyzed, however, the doctors had to
preform an emergency tracheomotry because of the temporary
paralysis. Carter’s voice, unfortunately has been affected
by this surgery. Hospital officals are declining comment at
this time.</i><br><br>

Jess and Brian were both afraid to look at Nick.
They sat there with their mouths open in shock.<br><br>
Finally, Jess spoke up, “I can’t believe that
nothing is ever private. How the hell did they find this
stuff out?” <br><br>

“Not only that, do you know that they will have to
have a guard outside your door again?” Brian shook his
head. This was the hardest part about being famous.<br><br>

MTV showed a video that caught everyone’s
attention after the 30 second news update. It was the long
version of Backstreet’s Back video.<br><br>

Nick remembered how much fun he had doing that
video. It took them over sixteen hours to film it but they
had so much fun doing it that it didn’t seem that long.<br><br>

Jessica was captivated listening to Nick’s voice
in the beginning of the video talking. Once the music
started and the dancing and singing, Jess couldn’t help but
watch Nick out of the corner of her eye to see what he was
doing while it was on.<br><br>

Nick watched the video intently. He never
realized how well he could dance, something he had always
taken for granted. Now that he was not able to stand up on
his own, let alone take any steps, he was looking at the
video with envy. It was making him angry as each momement
went on. It was almost as if MTV was ridiculing him and
mocking him. Nick started to feel as if the world was
against him and laughing at him.<br><br>

Brian could see Nick’s body tense as the video
continued. He was beginning to realize that this was a
terrible mistake watching television. It was Nick that
turned the set on so they did not have any control over what
had been selected.<br><br>
There was a faint knock on the door. The door
wasn’t closed and when they looked in the direction of the
doorway, a girl was standing there with a food tray.<br><br>

“Come in.” Brian said to the girl.<br><br>

She walked into the room quickly and set the tray
down on the stand in front of Nick without making eye
contact with anyone. She left the room as quickly as she
had entered it.<br><br>

“Oh, doesn’t that look good?” Brian remarked as
he looked over the tray.<br><br>

Nick’s response was shoving the tray away. He
didn’t want to eat, he was too upset to eat.<br><br>
“Nick, you gotta eat, man.” Brian tried to reason
with him.<br><br>

Nick sank back into the bed, his eyes were in a
fixed glaze. He looked sullen, dark.<br><br>

“Dude, you can’t be doing this to yourself, you
need to eat to get better.” Brian looked Nick in the eyes
and tried to get him to at least look back at him.<br><br>

Nick seemed to look through him. He didn’t want
to eat, he didn’t care to eat, and he felt he didn’t need to
eat. He would just assume starve himself than to let this
stuff continue. He knew he would never be the same again.
He felt that he would always be a burden to someone. He
plain just didn’t care anymore.<br><br>

“Would you eat if we went away and left you alone
for awhile?” Jessica suggested.<br><br>

Nick pondered the idea. He was thinking to
himself that if they left him alone he would be able to send
the tray back untouched. No questions asked, no witnesses.<br><br>

“Yeah, why don’t you go for awhile.” Nick
whispered quietly.<br><br>

Reluctantly Jessica gave Nick a kiss and turned to
leave.<br><br>

“We’ll be back later on this afternoon then. Try
to eat, please and get some rest, okay?”<br><br>
Nick didn’t answer Jess he just forced a smile and
waved at her and Brian as they were leaving.<br><br>

After Brian and Jess left, Nick’s nurse, Mary came
into the room. She took a look underneath the lids covering
the food on the tray.<br><br>

“Something wrong with the food, you haven’t
touched it.”<br><br>

“Nope, not hungry,” Nick whispered.<br><br>

“I will be back in an hour and I expect to see
your plate clean.” Mary said as she walked out.<br><br>

Nick watched her leave and envisioned her coming
to a quick and painful death. He seized the opportunity and
moved himself out of bed and into his wheelchair. Grabbing
the tray of food, Nick wheeled himself into the bathroom and
took each plate, bowl and cup and dumped it’s contents into
the toilet. He flushed the evidence away and returned the
tray with empty dishes back onto his bedstand and then got
himself back into bed before anyone saw him.<br><br>
Chapter 29 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty</h1>
<br><br>

Dr. Takaghishi came in to check Nick. He was
baffeled by his weakened state. Three days ago Nick was
starting physical therapy, speech therapy and everything was
looking good. Everything on Nick’s chart indicated that he
should be getting better but instead Nick was taking a
complete turn for the worse.<br><br>

Dr. Takaghishi found Nick laying in bed sleeping,
he didn’t appear to notice anyone had entered the room.<br><br>

The doctor thumbed through Nick’s chart. All of
the recent labwork that had been done came back clean. The
only think that had popped up abnormal was an electrolyte
imbalance which could be fixed with an IV.<br><br>

From the nurses notes, Nick had been eating and
drinking all of his meals. The doctor decided to keep track
of imput/output readings.<br><br>

“Nick, it’s Doctor T, how are you feeling?”<br><br>

Nick’s eyes barely opened. Dr. T decided to have
a central IV line done and have some IV feedings done to
ensure that Nick would build up his strength. He also
wanted Nick to be moved back to the intensive care unit.<br><br>

Nick didn’t answer Dr. Takaghishi, he felt too
tired to respond. He closed his eyes hoping that the doctor
would just go away and leave him alone.<br><br>

“Nick, we’re going to move you back into ICU and
get a central line put in.” Dr. T. looked at Nick to see if
he was understanding what was being spoken. Nick was in a
deep sleep and didn’t answer or even aknowledge that he had
heard him.<br><br>
Dr. T. was completely baffeled at how Nick was
slowly slipping away. He had consulted Dr. Gaynor to come
back and take a look at Nick. He figured that Dr. Gaynor
may be able to provide some type of answer to this situation
since he had been with Nick from the beginning of his
injuries from the car accident.<br><br>

Jess, Brian and Kevin entered Nick’s room as they
were preparing to move him up into the intensive care unit.
None of them realized that Nick was progressively getting
weaker, he managed to cover it pretty well. They were
shocked when they learned that he was being moved to ICU.<br><br>

Dr. Gaynor was in the room when they came in. He
spoke to them in a quiet tone.<br><br>

“Nick has been getting weaker instead of stronger.
The bloodwork came back clean, and to be quite honest with
you, I think Nick had stopped eating and drinking fluids
about four days ago. To put it quite simply, he is trying
to starve himself.”<br><br>

Jess couldn’t believe what she was hearing, she
thought he had gotten over the bout of depression he had
been suffering from earlier. He never really indicated that
he was slipping into that again. She knew he was unhappy
about his voice, but she thought he understood that his
voice would improve with time and with the therapy.<br><br>

“What happens now?” Kevin asked Dr. Gaynor.<br><br>

“We have put a central line into Nick which we
will more or less be force feeding him. We will start him
up on several IV’s and we will be monitoring his mental
status as well as his physical improvements. I will have
the psych doctor come in once Nick is better and start to
work with him again. I thought he was keeping up on his
prozac.”<br><br>

“He took himself off that several weeks ago, when
they gave it to him here, he would spit it out once the
nurse left. He said he didn’t need it.” Jessica told the
doctor.<br><br>

“He really is one that needs to be monitored
continuously when it comes to medications. I will make
sure that he is watched while he is here.” Dr. Gaynor wrote
notes down in the chart.<br><br>
Jessica was starting to feel more like a stool
pidgeon instead of a friend. She felt like she had betrayed
Nick in some way.<br><br>

Brian, as usual, had sensed that Jess was feeling
upset about the whole situation and he put his arm around
her to comfort her.<br><br>

“Jess, you are doing what’s right for him, you
know, don’t you?” Kevin spoke softly.<br><br>

“I guess so, I just feel so awful. This isn’t
fair, why can’t he just let himself get better, he keeps
doing things that are creating more harm than good and it
just keeps working against him. He’s been lucky up to this
point, what if one of these times he were successful? I
couldn’t think of life without Nick.” Jess sobbed.<br><br>

Brian took Jessica’s chin in his hand. “Jess, it’s
not gonna happen. We are all going to make sure of that.”
He wiped the tears from her cheeks.<br><br>

They all followed Nick’s bed as they moved him
into the intensive care unit. Nick never opened his eyes
during the whole trip. Once they had everything in place
around Nick in his new room, Jess moved up to the side of
the bed and looked down at Nick sleeping. He was laying on
his side almost curled up into a ball. It almost looked as
if he were in a fetal position. Jess smoothed his hair
back. <br><br>

“Nick, I don’t understand why you’re doing this to
yourself, there are so many people that love you. We don’t
care if you’re a singer or a truck driver, we want you here
with us. Please, you have to fight to survive. I love you
and I want you to come back to me, please.” Jess softly
pleaded with Nick hoping that he would hear her.<br><br>

“That’s right, buddy. We all love you. You
should know that, you do know that. You have to fight this,
you are making a lot of people upset when you do this kind
of stuff. How am I going to explain this to your fans?”
Brian was choking on the words, he was almost too upset to
speak. He knew how bad suicide was, and he felt so sorry
that he couldn’t help his friend.<br><br>

“Nick, you have to pull through this. I am
getting tired of coming to this god forsaken place as much
as you are getting tired of being here. You have a lot of
people that love and need you. Don’t be checking out on us
yet, you have a lot more to accomplish in this lifetime.”
Kevin was trying to reason with Nick and was hoping that he
could hear him.<br><br>
Reluctantly, the three of them left the room
without ever having Nick aknowledging that they were ever
there.<br><br>
Chapter 30 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty-One</h1>

<br><br>
The crowd was roaring so loudly, that Jessica’s
ears popped. She instinctively put her hands to her ears to
try and protect her hearing. She couldn’t believe the
volume that was coming all the way to the back stage.<br><br> The
house lights went down and the strobe lights were cued up.
The crowd again went wild. Jess even felt a little excited
herself. It was hard not to get caught up in the moment.<br><br>

The Star Wars was
starting. Jess watched the back of the autditorium. The
guys appeared from nowhere on boards and were literally
soaring above the crowd. Girls were screaming and jumping
up and down with excitement. Some of the girls were crying.
Jess smiled to herself. She knew these guys so well that it
was funny seeing girls crying when they saw them.<br><br>

They landed on the stage with perfection. Nick
glanced over in the direction where Jess was standing
offstage and he smiled and winked at her. Jess gave him a
“thumbs up” sign and smiled back.<br><br>
It had taken Nick several months to get to where
he was finally at now. This was the comeback concert and
was Nick’s first concert since the car accident. This was a
special concert for him. He had been working faithfully
with his speech therapist for several months. He still was
having some weakness and difficulty with his speech when he
got tired, but Nick insisted that they go ahead with the
concert. They cut the time down from one and a half hours
to one hour. The guys told Nick if he was getting too tired
to devise some type of signal that would let them know.
They also were going to carry Nick if his voice was failing
him. Nick would just mouth the words while they sang.<br><br>

The first song went on smoothly. When it was
finished, the guys introduced themselves to the crowd. Some
fans listened quietly while others were still screaming.
Nick was the last one to introduce himself.<br><br>

“Hi, I’m Nick Carter,” Nick started quietly,
screams went up. At this point, Nick would usually raise
his voice to be heard, but he knew that was something that
he couldn’t do. <br><br>

Howie, Kevin, Brian and AJ made motions to get the
crowd to quiet down. It worked, the crowd was almost too
quiet and it made Nick nervous.<br><br>

“Um, I want to say I have been looking forward to
coming back to Orlando,” Nick spoke softly and nervously. <br><br>
A group of girls screamed out, “We love you Nick.” <br><br> Nick
laughed into the headset, “I love you too. I want to thank
someone very special to me for helping me through this,”
Nick looked off to the stage where Jess was standing. He
motioned for her to come out onto the stage. Jess looked at
him in horror and shook her head no. “Comeon, I want you to
come out here,” Nick was persistant. <br><br> Brian walked over
towards Jess, there was no way to escape. Brian grabbed her
arm and put his arm around her waist. The crowd started
screaming again. “This is Jessica. She has been by my side
through this whole thing.” Nick turned towards her. “I
love you, Jess.” He gave her a very long and passionate
kiss which made the crowd go crazy. Jess stood there
blushing with her mouth dropped open. Her knees felt like
rubber. Nick smiled and then laughed. “Hey, Brian, I’ll be
right back.” Nick put his arm around Jess and walked her
back offstage. He grabbed her around the waist and gave her
another kiss. “I’ll be back soon, okay?”<br><br>

Jess nodded, she couldn’t say a word to him. She
stood back and watched the show. It had taken Nick a long
time to get where he was with his voice. There were many
months of practice of trying to perfect his voice again so
that the words would come out perfect. Once he got his
pronounciation down pat, Nick had to work with bringing his
voice out so that he could be heard without whispering. His
voice still had a tendancy to become light when he was
tired, but that was coming along with time. <br><br>

Jess was still concerned that Nick was taking up
more than he was ready for. His left leg still had some
slight weakness and the doctors said that there had been
some permanent nerve damage to the leg, they weren’t sure if
the damage was from the car accident or from the clots
caused from the fall he had taken. Sometimes Nick became
off balanced and would almost fall. She watched nervously
as the guys performed the dance routine to “Everybody
Backstreet’s Back.” That was a very physical session. As
the song was ending, Nick was drenched in sweat. His hair
was soaked. Jess could see how tired he was becoming.
Although his voice was starting to grow shakey, Nick was
still able to give it his best shot. The fans were still
screaming through the entire show, they didn’t seem to
notice that anything was amiss with Nick’s voice getting
weaker. <br><br>

Jess quickly backed out of the way as the guys ran
past her to change hasitly for the next session. As Nick
ran by her, he intentionally smacked her shoulder with his
hand. Nick was still being the playful soul, as he always
was. <br><br>
Jessica looked at her watch to see how much longer
the concert would be. She could tell that Nick was starting
to get more fatigued and she wasn’t sure if he would be able
to hold on much longer. She was starting to worry when she
found that they had over another thirty minutes before it
would end, provided that they didn’t do an encore song. <br><br>

After they were ready for the next session, they
stood by her waiting for everyone to regroup. Nick was the
last one out and walked towards them this time instead of
running. He was still sweaty and his face looked flushed.<br><br>

Brian looked at Nick, “You gonna be okay, dude?”<br><br>

Nick nodded at Brian. He didn’t want to
disappoint the fans if he didn’t come back out. Nick knew
he only had to make it for 30 more minutes. As the band was
starting the intro to the next song, the guys put their
headsets back on and prepared to run out onto the stage.
Unfortunately for Nick, the song was one that he had all the
primary parts. Jess could see the worried look on his face
as he ran past her. The band started playing “Quit Playing
Games.” Nick took a deep breath as he ran out to the
cheering audience. He was hoping that they would scream
loud enough that they wouldn’t hear the inconsistencies in
his voice.<br><br>

Jess held her breath when Nick started singing.
She knew that he was worried about how he was starting to
sound. By the audience reaction to the song, she could tell
that they didn’t notice any difference to Nick’s voice. He
could have talked his way through the song and they wouldn’t
of cared at all. <br><br>
The guys were watching Nick a little more closely
when they did the final song, I Want it That Way. They
could see that Nick was exhausted and was getting weak
singing his part, it was barely audible. They skipped doing
anytype of dance moves and had told Nick before hand that
they wouldn’t because they knew he would be beat by the end
of the hour.<br><br>

Thankfully, the song ended without anything
happening. Nick and the guys bowed, and where they would
usually run off the stage, Brian and AJ walked on either
side of Nick to support him. Jess made sure she stayed out
of the way and followed them to their dressing room. The
fans that had backstage passes had to be honored with their
tickets so the show wasn’t actually over yet. Jess forgot
about the backstage passes.<br><br>

Brian and AJ led Nick to a couch so he could sit
back and relax. Jess looked at Nick’s face and could see
how exhausted he was. His face was red from the heat. Nick
motioned for her to sit next to him. Jess complied without
any hesitation. She handed a water bottle to him as she sat
down. Nick looked as if he had a hard time uncapping the
bottle. After he finally got it opened, he drank nearly 3/4
of the bottle without stopping. Jess got up and grabbed
another bottle before Nick would have to ask for one.<br><br>

“How ya doing, buddy?” AJ asked Nick as he walked
past the couch.<br><br>

Nick didn’t respond, he just smiled. The fans
that had the passes were starting to file into the room.
Jess leaned close to Nick.<br><br>
“Are you up to this?” She whispered in his ear.<br><br>

“Got no choice, have to be.” Nick whispered back.<br><br>

Some of the girls flocked around the couch where
Brian had sat down next to Jess. Brian sat back and guzzled
his bottle of water, he was hot and sweaty like Nick.<br><br>

The girls stood in awe of Nick and Brian, they did
not say a word but appeared to be taking in every move the
guys made, every word they spoke. Jess always thought the
backstage stuff was weird, the guys pretty much carried on
as if no one different was in the room. If the fans asked
them questions or wanted pictures taken or autographs
signed, they complied without any questions.<br><br>

Finally a girl directed a question to Jess. “Are
you Brian’s girlfriend, Leighanne?” <br><br>
Brian chuckled. Jess elbowed him in the side.<br><br>

“And what would be so funny about that?” She
asked Brian.<br><br>

Brian wasn’t expecting her to elbow him while he
was drinking his water and some of the ice cold water
spilled out onto his chest.<br><br>

“Um, nothing, sorry?” Brian looked at Jess and
then decided to wink to seal the appology.<br><br>

“No, sorry, wrong girl.” Jess answered.<br><br>
“She belongs to Nick.” Brian offered the answer
to the girls. Jess hated the way that sounded, it made her
feel like a clothing item.<br><br>

Nick didn’t say a word, he was still busy drinking
his water. Jess glanced over at him. He seemed to be okay
but she could tell how tired he was. Jess silently prayed
that this would be finished soon so she could take him home
to rest.<Br><br>

As the fans milled about the room, all of the guys
carried on conversations amoungst themselves. AJ and Howie
were talking about going golfing tomorrow and Kevin said
that sounded good to him and that they should call him
before they decide to leave.<br><br>

Nick was trying very hard to keep awake. It was
getting more and more difficult with each passing minute.
Jess leaned over and whispered into his ear, “Is there
anyway we can just leave?” <br><br>

Nick shook his head no. As much as he wanted to
say yes, he knew he couldn’t do it.<br><br>

Jess decided to ask Brian if he could do something
about the lingering fans. She leaned over to Brian and
whispered into his ear, “Brian, Nick is getting so tired and
I am getting worried, is there anything you can do to hurry
the fans along?”<br><br>

Brian listened to Jess as he was drinking his
water. “Yeah, I can talk to Steve.” Brian got up off the
couch and walked over to one of their body guards. After
Brian sat down, the body guard clapped his hands several
times and announced that it was time for the fans to leave.<br><br>

All of the girls seemed to sound down and didn’t
want to leave. They had been backstage with the guys for
over an hour and felt that they were entitled to more time
with them.<br><br>

After the last girl left the room, Nick threw his
head back and stared at the ceiling. He didn’t know how or
if he would be able to get up off the couch.<br><br>

“Nick, are you alright?” Jess asked with a
concerned tone in her voice.<br><br>
Nick didn’t answer, he just kept looking up at the
ceiling. <br><br>

“Hey dude, I’m talking to you!” Jess spoke up. <br><br>

Nick finally looked over to Jess. He still didn’t
answer. Jess looked at his droopy eyelids.<br><br>

“Nick old boy, are you ready to go home?” Brian
asked.<br><br>

Nick smiled faintly. He really would have
preferred to sleep where he was.<br><br>

“Comeon, we’ll help you out to the car.” Brian
suggested to Nick.<br><br>

Nick reluctantly pulled himself up off the couch.
When he stood up he took a couple of off balanced steps to
the side. If no one knew better he looked like he had been
drinking the way he stood. Brian quickly came to the rescue
and stood on one side of Nick and AJ came over to the other
side.<br><br>

“Nick, put your arms around our shoulders,” AJ
directed.<br><br>

Nick complied without hesitation. Jess followed
them walking towards the garage where their vehicles were
parked. She noticed that Nick’s left leg was dragging
behind him almost as bad as before he had his surgery. The
concerts had always physically drained Nick in the past, but
with him just recovering from all that had gone on with him
that summer, she knew it was too much for him to handle. <br><br>
Jess recalled that Nick hadn’t spoke in quite
awhile. That was starting to concern her as well. “I’ll
just wait until we get in the car,” Jess thought to herself.<br><br>

The walk to the car seemed to take forever.
Thankfully, it was a secured garage so there weren’t any
paparrazzi waiting to ambush the group.<br><br>

Brian and AJ walked Nick over to the passenger
side of the green durango. Jess clicked the car alarm on
her key ring to unlock the doors. Nick sat in the seat and
had to pick his left leg up and put it into the vehicle
before he could turn and face the front.<br><br>

“Thanks guys.” Jess said as she prepared to close
Nick’s door.<br><br>

“Jess, are you driving straight home or what?”
Howie asked.<br><br>
“What do you want to do Nick?” Jess didn’t know
if he felt up to the almost two hour ride home or not.<br><br>

Nick hadn’t even thought about it. They had
reservations to spend the night in Orlando at the Disney
Resort, the trip home would be long and he could still be in
pretty rough shape and need help getting into the house.<br><br>

“Hey, it’s your call, what do you want to do?”
Brian asked.<br><br>

Nick looked at Brian and then at Jess. He licked
his lips to speak outloud. His voice was very hoarse,
“Stay.” He didn’t have to try and say it again because Jess
automatically told Brian she would follow him to the hotel.<br><br>

As Jess followed the car out of the garage, she
asked Nick how he was feeling. Nick had the seat tilted
back and his baseball cap was pulled down over his eyes. He
didn’t answer her but put his hand on her leg and patted it
as if to reassure her.<br><br>

“I hope you feel better in the morning, this
doesn’t look good.” <br><br>

Nick managed to whisper back to Jessica faintly,
“Me too.”<br><br>
<center>
Chapter 31 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty-Two</h1>
<br><br>
Jessica woke up early, she couldn’t sleep and laid in bed
listening to Nick’s breathing rhythm. Her mind raced over
the events from the previous night. Nick was able to pull
off the concert, but the bad thing was that he had another
concert again tonight.<br><br>
Nick started to stir in bed. He slowly opened his
eyes. He turned his head and looked at Jess. <br><br>

“Morning, how ya feeling?” Jess smiled at Nick.<br><br>

Nick felt groggy and cleared his throat to speak,
“Morning, pretty good.” His voice was weak sounding but a
lot better than what it was last night after the concert.<br><br>

Nick slowly sat up in bed. He reached for the
television remote control on the bedstand and turned the tv
on to the Today Show.<br><br>

Jess watched Nick get up and walk across the motel
room towards the bathroom. He had a very noticable limp on
his left side when he walked.

Nick didn’t appear to look as if he noticed he was
limping. <br><br>

“Hey Nick, I’m gonna call Brian and see if he’s up
yet.” Jessica called out.<br><br>
“Okay.” Nick replied hoarsely.<br><br>

Jess picked up the phone and dialed the front
desk. “Ah, yes, could I please have Mike Hart’s room?”
Jess asked for the alias that Brian always registered under.<br><br>

“Yeah?” Brian sounded like he had been woke up.<br><br>

“Hi Brian, this is Jess, did I wake you up?” <br><br>

Brian shifted up onto his left side, clearing his throat. “No I was
thinking about getting up.”<br><br>
“Hey, do you want to meet for breakfast?”<br><br>

“That sounds good to me, AJ, Kev, and Howie are
already out golfing, I assume. I’ll be ready in about an
hour, Jess. What room are you guys in?” Brian asked as he
looked at his watch.<br><br>

“Um, 4763,” Jess answered as she looked at the
room number on the telephone. <br><br>

“Okay, I’ll come over when I am ready, bye.”
Brian hung the phone up.<br><br>

“Brian said he’ll be down here in about an hour.”
Jess said loud enough for Nick to hear.<br><br>

“What time is it?” Nick quietly asked. The
bathroom door was open and Jess walked to the doorway and
leaned against it as she watched Nick shave his face.<br><br>

“It’s 7:34.” <br><br>

As Nick finished up he looked at Jess in the
mirror, “I’m gonna shower first, okay?” he said quietly
barely above a whisper.<br><br>

“Okay with me,” Jess turned and walked over to
her bed and sat down to watch tv.<br><br>
When Jess got finished getting ready, she walked
out of the bathroom and found Nick sitting in a chair in the
corner of the room watching television. Nick was wearing
blue jean shorts, a white polo shirt and his traditional
trademark white baseball cap on backwards. Jess couldn’t
help but think of how cute he looked and walked over to him
and kissed him. As they kissed, a loud knock from the door
shook them back into reality. Nick and Jess opened their
eyes and looked at each other when they heard the knock.<br><br>

“I’ll go see who it is.” Jess said reluctantly as
she walked over to the door. She looked out the peephole.
“It’s Brian.” Jess said as she unlocked the door and opened
it.<br><br>

Brian stepped into the room. He saw Nick sitting
in the corner. <br><br>

“Hey Nick, how ya feeling?” Brian walked over to
where Nick was sitting and sat on the edge of the bed facing
the table.<br><br>

“Fine.” Nick answered back quietly. <br><br>

“Um, are we ready to go to eat breakfast?” Jess
desperately tried to change the subject. <br><br>

“Where should we go?” Brian asked as he stood up.<br><br>

Jess and Brian looked at Nick.<br><br>

“How about the hotel restaurant?” Nick quietly
suggested.<br><br>

“Sounds alright.” Brian and Jess said together.<br><br>
They walked out of the room and followed Nick down
the hall to the elevator. Brian noticed Nick’s slow pace as
well as the pronounced limp on his left leg. He glanced
over towards Jess. Jess just shrugged her shoulders.<br><br>

No one said anything until they got seated at the
restaurant. When the boys stayed at Disney they always got
first class treatment and were rarely bothered by fans.<br><br>

They made small talk as they looked over the
menus. After the waitress took the order, Brian leaned
across the table and looked at Nick.<br><br>

“Do you think we should cancel tonight Nick?”<br><br>

Nick had a puzzled look on his face. “No, why?”
He asked quietly.<br><br>

“Because I can see that you’re exhausted.” Brian
answered.<br><br>

Nick chuckled, “I’m fine don’t worry.” Again his
answer was barely audible.<br><br>

“Nick, you can barely speak, let alone walk.”
Jess tried to reason with him.<br><br>

Nick threw an angry look at Jessica. Jess knew
from the past that this look indicated that she should drop
the subject immediately.<br><br>
Brian and Jess sat in the booth quietly, they
weren’t sure what to say. Nick seemed content not to speak
and drank his coffee and kept his eyes down at the table.<br><br>

Finally Brian thought about something to say.
“Hey, Nick, did you see that group of girls by the stage
last night and how they kept jumping everytime you looked at
them? That was funny wasn’t it?”<br><br>

“Yeah, that was funny.” Nick answered softly. He
smiled while he thought about it.<br><br>

“Hey, after breakfast, what do you want to do?”
Brian asked Jess and Nick.<br><br>

“Wanna hang out at the park?” Nick asked softly.<br><br>

Brian and Jessica’s eyes met. They were both
floored to think Nick would even suggest something like
that. <br><br>

“Oh, I dunno, do you really want to fight the
crowds?” Jess was trying to put suggestions in his mind.
“And besides, you guys have rehearsal this afternoon at
2:00.”<br><br>

“It’s 9:45 am right now, that’ll give us a few
hours to play.” Nick quietly offered.<br><br>

Before Jess & Brian could add to it, the waitress
came with their order. They ate in silence. Once they
finished and the waitress put the bill on the table Jess
spoke up.<br><br>
“You were really kidding, weren’t you Nick?” Jess
looked at Nick as he reached for the check.<br><br>

“No, I was serious, why?” Nick didn’t look at
her, he was looking at the check.<br><br>

“I just thought with the concert tonight and how
whipped you were after last night’s show, you’d want to
conserve your energy.” Jess stated quietly.<br><br>

Brian tossed money on the table for the tip. Nick
spoke as he watched Brian. “I don’t want to sit all day in
the hotel room, let’s go get our passes and go. If we get
tired, we can always go back.”<br><br>

Jess didn’t say anymore. Both her and Brian were
bother thinking what a huge mistake this was, but they both
knew there was nothing either one could say that would
change Nick’s mind.<br><br>

They met each other at the elevator with their
passes. Nick put Jessica’s on around her neck and he put
his on too. <br><br>

“Which park?” Nick asked.<br><br>

Brian and Jess tried to think of the park that
would be the quietest and less tiring for Nick. All they
could think of was the first park. They got on the monorail
in the hotel lobby and sat down. There were a few people
already in the car they got in at. Thankfully, they were
older people who had no idea who Brian and Nick were.<br><br>

Brian enjoyed the peacefullness of being in public
and not being bugged for a change. He knew it would end at
the next stop when the monorail would be letting more people
on.<br><br>
Sure enough, the next stop yielded six teenage
girls that got on into their car. They were busy organizing
their packages and it wasn’t until the ride started up again
when one of the girls noticed Brian and Nick. She nudged
her friends and pointed at Jess, Nick and Brian sitting
across from her.<br><br>

“Ohmygod, we’re going to your concert tonight, I’m
gonna die.” A small dark haired girl said almost too
loudly.<br><br>

“Gosh, don’t die, that wouldn’t be good.” Brian
answered back and laughed.<br><br>

The girl looked like she was going to faint from
the excitement of having Brian aknowlege her.<br><br>

Nick didn’t say anything, he just smiled and
looked out the window. The monorail finally stopped where
they wanted to get off. Nick slowly exited the monorail car
with Jess and Brian following. His limping was still quite
noticable to the point that one of the girls asked Nick if
he hurt his leg. Nick acted as if he didn’t hear the girl
and just kept walking.<br><br>

Brian, Jess and Nick spent about three hours at
the park. Nick was visibally exhausted. His leg really
dragged as they walked into the hotel room. Nick dropped
onto the bed and just laid there, his eyes open and staring
at the ceiling. <br><br>

“Was that too much?” Jess was almost afraid to
ask. <br><br>

“Yeah, I’m beat, what time is it?”<br><br>

“It’s almost 1:30, you have rehearsal in 30
minutes. Do you wanna cancel?” Jess asked timidly.<br><br>
Nick closed his eyes, “Nope, I’ll be fine, just
let me lay here for about ten minutes, okay?”<br><br>

“Sure.” Jess wanted to go talk to Brian about
Nick. “Hey, I’ll be right back, I want to check out the
pool and stuff.” Jess lied to Nick. She grabbed the room
key and walked down to Brian’s room. She softly knocked on
the door. It took a minute before the door opened and AJ
was on the other side.<br><br>

“Hey Jess.” AJ said as he let her in.<br><br>

“Hey Alex.” Jess replied and snickered. She
entered the room and found Brian, Kevin and Howie sitting on
the beds. <br><br>

“Where’s Nick?” Kevin asked with a concerned tone
in his voice.<br><br>

“Back in our room, he wanted ten minutes to rest.” <br><br>

“He’s not doing too good is he?” Kevin asked.<br><br>

“I don’t think so, but you know how stupid and
stubborn Nick is, he said he’s fine.” Jess said with a
sigh.<br><br>

“That stupid ass.” AJ said as he paced the floor.<br><br>
“Well, maybe the rehearsal will make him realize
he can’t go on tonight.” Brian hated anything to go wrong
with Nick but he knew this was going to be very strenuous on
him. <br><br>

“Oh, shit, I better go down to the room, Nick
wanted me to wake him up after ten minutes.” Jess said as
she looked at her watch.<br><br>

“Do you think he’d be pissed if we let him sleep?”
AJ asked Jess and the guys.<br><br>

“Probably, but he should sleep.” Jess said.
“What should I do?”<br><br>

“WE should walk down to your room and try to
reason with the stubborn sonofabitch.” AJ said.<br><br>

“Sounds like a good plan.” Kevin said quietly
praying that they could get through to Nick. When they
entered the room they found Nick sound asleep on the bed
where Jess had left him.<br><br>

Jess motioned at Nick as if to say “who wants the
honors of waking him up?” All of the guys pointed back at
her. Jess gave them a dirty look back and bent over Nick
and gently pushed on his shoulder.<br><br>

“Nick, time to get up.”<br><br>

Nick softly moaned and rolled over onto his side.<br><br>
“Nick, do you want to skip rehearsal?” Jess
quietly suggested and hoped he would say yes.<br><br>

Nick rolled back over onto his back and opened his
eyes. He look suprized to see the guys standing in the
room. <br><br>

“I’m up, lets go, gimme a sec.” Nick said
sleepily as he got off the bed and and walked into the
bathroom to brush his teeth and comb his hair.<br><br>

AJ noticed for the first time Nick’s slow walk and
limp. He pointed at the closed bathroom door and whispered,
“There is no way in hell he’ll be able to dance, what is he
thinking?”<br><br>

Everyone shrugged their shoulders.<br><br>

“I guess Nick will have to find that out himself.”
Brian sighed.<br><br>

“Ready to go?” Nick asked as he entered the room.<br><br>

Everyone followed Nick out the door and to the
elevator. Brian tried to joke around with Nick, jabbing him
in the ribs, Nick, getting annoyed with Brian hitting him
turned and nailed him in the shoulder with his balled up
fist.<br><br>

“Ouch, what the heck was that for?” Brian asked
as he rubbed his shoulder.<br><br>
“You know I hate that.” Nick said hoarsely with
his voice cracking. <br><br>

Everyone was quiet for the rest of the elevator
ride and didn’t utter a word as they walked through the
hotel lobby. A white limosene for the guys was parked out
front with the driver leaning on the side of it. As the
guys walked out he stood up and opened the back door.<br><br>

The ride to the auditorium was quick, which
everyone was thankful for. Once inside the auditorium, they
were met by their manager and director.<br><br>

“Hi, how you guys doing this afternoon? Great show
last night by the way.”<br><br>

The guys stepped onto the stage and put the head
mikes on and stood in their usual places.<br><br>
“Okay, lets have you guys practice All I have to
Give.”<br><br>

Jess cringed when she heard the director request
that song. Nick had a lot of vocals in it and it was a very
strenuous choreographed dance. She looked at Nick as the
band started the song.<br><br>

Nick slowly licked his lips as if he were deeply
concentraiting to the beat of the song. Jessica closed her
eyes as Nick started to sing his part. His voice seemed
very weak to her and it sounded almost a husly hoarseness. <br><br>
The dance steps weren’t any better, Nick seemed to falter
several times during the song. Jess could tell by the look
on the other guy’s faces that they picked up on Nick’s
problems. Everyone in the room seemed to notice except for
Nick.<br><br>

“Ah, Nick, what the hell are you doing? I hope
you’re just screwing around.” The manager asked over the
innercom.<br><br>
By the time the rehearsal had finished, Nick had
basically stumbled through 3/4 of the dances and his voice
broke during most of the songs they had practiced. Nick was
also soaked in sweat.<br><br>

“Okay guys, see you back here at 7:00.” The
manager said over the intercom. “And Nick, make sure you
get some sleep too.”<br><br>

Nick waived his hand in response. Jess walked
over to him. The sweat was pouring down his face. Nick sat
back on a stool. Brian came over with a bottle of water and
gave it to Nick.<br><br>

“Here buddy, drink this.” <br><br>

Nick took the bottle. It seemed to take all of
his energy to twist the cap off.<br><br>
“I dunno what is going on with me, I’m just so
tired.” Nick said in a hoarse whisper.<br><br>

“It’s not too late to cancel your appearance,
Nick. The fans would just have to accept the fact you are
unable to go on.” Jess pleaded.<br><br>

“No, I can’t do that and you know that Jess.”
Nick softly responded.<br><br>

Everyone was quiet on the ride back to the hotel.
Nick leaned his head against the car door and closed his
eyes. Jess was hoping he would be sleeping.<br><br>

Once they arrived at the hotel, Nick seemed to
have difficulty getting out of the car. AJ & Brian put
Nick’s arm around their shoulder and walked him into the
hotel. As Jess followed them she could see Nick’s left leg
start to drag behind him with each step.<br><br>

Nick was glad to be in his room. AJ and Brian
took Nick over to his bed.<br><br>

“Here you go, lay down, buddy.” Brian said as
they laid Nick back slowly.<br><br>

Jess looked at her watch, it was 2:45 p.m. Nick
had four hours that he could rest. <br><br>

“Nick, I’m gonna close the drapes and turn on the
radio, you go ahead and rest, okay?” Jess said as she
started to walk towards the windows, but Kevin closed the
drapes before she got there.<br><br>

Nick closed his eyes. Jess shooed the guys out
into the hall. As the door closed behind her, she realized
she was locked out of the room.<br><br>

“Oh, dammit, I’m locked out!” Jess said.<br><br>

“That’s alright Jess, just come down to my room
and wait for a few hours.” Brian suggested.<br><br>

“Yeah, let’s all hang out in Brian’s room.” AJ
said mischeviously.<br><br>
Howie and AJ laughed a put-on sinister laugh as
they walked down the hall.<br><br>

“Do you wanna order room service or go down to
eat?” Brian asked the group.<br><br>

“Let’s go down, I don’t wanna stay cooped up in a
room.” AJ spoke up for the group.<br><br>

“How about Hard Rock Cafe?” Howie suggested.<br><br>

“Sounds good to me, let me call and see if we can
get in.” Kevin replied.<br><br>

Jess could only think about Nick. She was hoping
the nap he was taking was doing him some good.<br><br>

“Jess, what are you thinking about?” Brian asked.<br><br>

Jess shrugged her shoulders.<br><br>

“Comeon, what are you thinking?” Brian insisted.<br><br>
“oh, I was just thinking about Nick is all.” Jess
replied sheepishly. <br><br>

“Hey, don’t worry, he’ll be fine. “ Brian tried
to reassure Jess.<br><br>

“Guys, let’s go they have a table for us.” Kevin
said as he hung the phone up. “I’ll drive, okay?”<br><br>

They walked out into the hallway and got onto the
elevator. Jess was thinking about what to bring Nick back
from the restaurant.<br><br>
Chapter 32 by Jenna
Chapter Thirty-Three



Jessica felt that she was more nervous than the guys waiting
for the show to start. Nick was sitting in a chair in a
corner with his head bowed down. Jess was certain he was
trying to conserve his energy.



AJ and Brian were clowning around and Howie and
Kevin were doing last minute preparations as usual.



Jess wanted so baldy to ask Nick if he was feeling
okay but she knew that would only get him angry.



Their manager stepped into the room and clapped
his hands, “Are you guys ready? We need you onstage in
five.”



The guys put their headsets on and did final
adjustments on their mic packs. The opening numbers were
always spectacular and everything always had to be adjusted
correctly so no one would get hurt.



Jess hugged Nick and gave him a kiss before he
left. She whispered good luck in his ear. Nick said thanks
softly back. Jess could feel the tension in his body when
she hugged him. Nick was always nervous before going
onstage. Tonight he acted a little more nervous. She knew
that Nick knew about his weakness in his leg and how his
voice had been affected when he was tired. The four hour
nap gave Nick a complete turnaround but Jess worried it
would only last for a short time.



The first song was spectacular. The crowd went
wild and Nick was energized. His voice sounded strong and
his dancing was perfect. Nick was catching the excitement
from the crowd.



As the show was only fifteen minutes into it, Jess
could see that Nick was starting to struggle with the dance
moves, half of the moves he did half-heartidly or missed
entirely. His face was red and his hair was soaked wet with
sweat. Suddenly during the middle of a dance sequence, Nick
collapsed onto the floor. It took the band a few beats
before they realized something was wrong and that Nick
wasn’t playing around. Jess ran out onto the stage and
knelt beside Nick. The crowd grew quiet except for a few
worried screams.



“Jesus Christ I knew he was too sick to be out
here,” AJ mumbled.


The medical staff at the concert hall ran onto the
stage to assist Nick. They broke open a smelling salt
capsule and put it near Nick’s nose. Nick started to wake
up and was coughing. His eyelids fluttered open and he
looked around.



“Nick, do you know where you are?” the emt asked.



Nick’s eyes shifted back and forth looking around
to see where he was. He realized he was laying on a stage
in front of an audience.



“At a concert?” Nick said quietly.


“Okay, where is the concert at?” The EMT shouted,
the crowd was starting to get noisy.


“Um, England?” Nick guessed quietly.



The guys looked at each other.



“No, buddy, we’re in Orlando.” Brian said.



“Oh, that’s right, now I remember.” Nick lied.



After a few minutes, the EMT’s had Nick sit up.
The crowd was still quiet, several girls screamed, WE LOVE
YOU, NICK. Nick didn’t seem to be paying attention to what
was going on around him.



“Okay, Nick, we’re gonna have you walk offstage
with us. Put your arms around each of our shoulders, okay?”



Nick nodded.



“Okay, ready, one, two, three.”



As Nick stood up, the crowd cheered wildly and
continued until he got offstage. His walk was very slow and
calculated. Jess noticed his limp and leg dragging again.


The EMT’s walked Nick towards a stretcher. Nick
seemed to hesitate.



“Now, Nick, you need to go to get checked out.”
Jess tried to coax him onto the stretcher.



Reluctantly, Nick accepted laying down and being
taken by ambulance to Orlando Hospital.



“Nick, we are going to have you checked out there,
okay?” The EMT told Nick as she covered him up with a
blanket.



Back on stage, Brian had walked off to see what
was going on with Nick. When Jess told him they were taking
him to the hospital as a precaution to check him out, Brian
asked where and then told her he would be there after the
show.



Brian walked back on stage. Fans were curious as
to what was going on.



“um, Nick wanted me to let y’all know that he is
fine. He is being checked out by the docs to make sure
everything is okay. He wanted me to say he’s sorry that he
won’t be back but he wants everyone to enjoy the show and
not to worry.” Brian said to the crowd. The audience
immediately cheered when Brian said he was fine but awhed
when he said that Nick wouldn’t be back.



The guys got into a huddle and decided that they
would try to sing Nick’s solos together. No one really
knew all of the right words so they figured if they were all
singing, each would cover the other.



Nick arrived at the emergency room and was quickly
ordered blood tests and other assessments were done.


The emergency room doctor pulled Jess aside and
discussed his findings on Nick’s tests and what they would
be doing.



“Hi, I’m Dr. Davidson. Going over Nick’s recent
health history and the events leading up to his collapse on
stage and the test results, it appears that Nick is
suffering from dehydration and exhaustion. We will get him
started with an IV and we would like to have him admitted
for a few days at the least to have him rest. I will
prescribe something to relax him and help him rest.”



“Okay.” Was all that Jess could say. She
accompanied him to Nick’s bedside so he could tell Nick what
was going on.



“Hi, Mr. Carter, I’m Dr. Davidson. We are going
to admit you to the hospital for a few days.” As the doctor
spoke, Nick appeared distressed to think he was staying in
the hospital again. “You are suffering from severe
exhaustion and dehydration and you need to rest. We will
be giving you IV’s to help with the dehydration and I will
prescribe something to help you relax and rest.”


Nick just sighed and closed his eyes.


“Nick, it’ll be okay, you need to rest and get
better.” Jess tried to make him understand that he was
sick.



Back at the Orlando concert, Brian was hoping that
the concert would end quickly. The guys attempted to carry
the parts that Nick would normally solo on, but really were
messing it up because they knew half or none of the words.
Brian suddenly realized during part of a song that they
still had to contend with the fans that had backstage
passes. It was going to be at least another hour before
they would be leaving the auditorium.



When the guys finished the last song, they ran off
the stage and started grabbing gear as if they were
preparing to leave. Brian had to remind the guys that there
were still a few obligations that needed to be fulfilled.



“Whoa, hey, guys, don’t forget that we still have
the fans with the backstage passes.”



“Shit.” AJ said as he threw his bag back down on
the floor. AJ always had the flair for putting things into
words what others were thinking.



The backstage fans started filing in. Brian,
Howie and AJ sat back on the couch and drank their bottles
of water. Kevin was on his cellphone with a friend. Each
of them were secretly praying that the fans would just go
away. They really didn’t have the time for something like
this tonight.



The fans that were backstage seemed to be
especially annoying to the guys tonight. A group of girls
gathered around the couch and started asking the guys how
Nick was and what was wrong with him. AJ was starting to
answer the girls when Brian cut him off, Brian knew that
anything that was about to come out of AJ’s mouth would not
be pleasant or needed to be heard by young girls.



“We know just about as much as you guys do right
now. Once we are finished here, we can go to the hospital
and check on him.” Brian wished that everyone would leave.
It was hard to be polite when you are so worried about
someone.


Brian didn’t hardly talk to the girls that had
gathered around the couch. He was too deep in thought about
Nick worrying about what was wrong with him this time.
Brian was hoping that it was only that Nick had been pushing
himself too much and not something more serious. Nick was
wanting so desperately wanting to be normal again that Brian
was convinced that Nick had finally pushed himself too far.


Thankfully, after over an hour, the stage manager
clapped his hands together and told the people that it was
time for them to leave the guys.



The words were barely out of the manager’s mouth
when AJ jumped off the couch and grabbed his gear and was
beating tracks to the back door to leave. All of the guys
had driven themselves to the auditorium so they would be
leaving separately. Brian asked Howie if he would be going
to the hospital.



“Of course I am, do you want to ride with me or
something?” Howie asked Brian.



“No, I think I will drive myself that way if I
want to stay longer I can and also give Jess a ride back to
get Nick’s car.” Brian replied.



“Yeah, that does make sense to me. See ya there.”
Howie said as he was walking towards the door. He flung his
jacket over his shoulder.



“Okay, you know where he is, don’t you?” Brian
called out to Howie.



Howie just waived back at Brian without turning.


Chapter 33 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty-Four</h1>
<br><br>
Jessica managed to meet the guys in the main lobby of the
hospital before they tried to go to Nick’s room. Each one
of them hugged Jess hello when they came in.<br><br>

Once all of the guys were present, Jess gathered
them in a corner of the waiting room.<br><br>

“Nick is doing okay. I’m sure you’ve already
guessed that he finally pushed himself to the edge and he
suffering from exhaustion. The doctor admitted him for
strict bedrest so that means absolutely no visitors and no
distractions whatsoever.”<br><br>

“How long are they keeping him?” Brian asked
Jess.<br><br>

“He told me at least three maybe four days. They
were gonna keep him on some IV’s for dehydration and I guess
he was gonna have to be on some stuff to relax him and help
him to sleep so it sounds to me like he will be out of it
for awhile.” Jess told them.<br><br>

No one spoke as they let the news soak in. Each
were thinking about Nick and if this will be the thing that
will cure him once and for all. <br><br>

“Jess, do you want me to take you back to get
Nick’s car?” AJ asked quietly.<br><br>


“Yeah, if you can I would appreciate it, thanks
AJ.” Jess replied. She wanted to desperately to go and see
Nick, but visitors of any type were strictly forbidden. She
would be treated like a fan that tried to get into his room.<br><br>

In his room, Nick laid back into the pillows and
looked wearily at his surroundings of the private room. He
sighed deeply. A nurse was in the room preparing to
administer a medication the doctor prescribed to help Nick
relax and sleep. Nick didn’t want anything and tried to
refuse it.<br><br>

“You know that if you don’t take the help you are
supposed to be getting, this will only extend your hospital
stay, do you want that?” the nurse said as she looked
directly into Nick’s eyes.<br><br>

“Oh, go ahead and get it overwith then.” Nick
said reluctantly. His voice cracked as he spoke.<br><br>

The nurse injected the medication directly into
the IV line. Nick started to feel a warm burning sensation
go down into his arm where the IV started. Suddenly, his
eyes felt droopy and he could not keep them open. Nick
drifted off to sleep.<br><br>

Jess and AJ got to the parking lot in the Orlando
arena in record time. Jess knew that AJ had a reputation
for being a speed deamon, but now she found out for herself
first hand.<br><br>
“Um, thanks for the lift, AJ.” Jess said as she
opened the car door.<br><br>

“You’re welcome. Are you gonna be alright Jess?
I mean, do you need anything, anything at all?” AJ looked
at Jess over the top of his sunglasses.<br><br>

“No, I think it’ll be okay. I’ll take Nick’s car
back to his place and park it in the garage and go home.”
Jess really hated the sound of just going home and not
seeing Nick at all. It was tearing her up inside. She felt
as if he was gone forever. <br><br>

“Ya know, Jess, you really don’t sound convincing
to me. Just for the hell of it, I am gonna follow you to
Nick’s, okay?” AJ took a deep long look at Jess waiting for
her answer.<br><br>

“Suit yourself.” Jess said as she closed the car
door. Walking over to the forest green Durango, Jess hit
the car alarm button and jumped even though she knew the
beep of the alarm being disconnected was going to happen. <br><br>

She opened the car door and threw her jacket into
the passenger seat. It was weird, she thought to herself,
the car smelled so much like Nick, she never noticed that
before. It was a warm pleasant feeling that enveloped her
as she started the car up. It made her miss Nick even more. <br><br>

Jess absently turned the radio up and listened to
the songs that played. Most of the songs on the radio
stirred memories of times that Nick and she shared when a
particular song was on.<br><br>

The two hour drive back to Tampa was going to seem
to take forever in the night. Jess could see AJ’s
headlights in the distance, for a brief moment, it appeared
that the lights were swerving towards the middle lane and
then to the shoulder of the road. Jess could feel the hair
on the back of her neck stand out. There was a rest area up
ahead and she did not hesitate to put her directional lights
on and exited. Thankfully, AJ followed her move and pulled
into the rest area right behind her. As Jess parked the
vehicle, she sat and waited for AJ to pull in the spot
beside her.<br><br>

Jess rolled her window down, “Hey, sleepyhead, are
you gonna be able to stay awake?”<br><br>
“Believe me, I am really awake now.” AJ replied. <br><br>

“You fell asleep didn’t you?” Jess asked.<br><br>

“Yup.” was AJ’s brief reply.<br><br>

“Are you gonna be alright, or shall we rest for a
bit so I don’t lose you too?” Jess was concerned.<br><br>

“Naw, I’ll be okay.” AJ insisted.<br><br>

“Let’s go for a walk and get a soda, my treat,
okay?” Jess got out of the durango and tried to encourage
AJ to get out and stretch his legs.<br><br>

AJ got out of the car reluctantly. He wanted to
go home and go to bed, bad part of it was that he lived in
Orlando, not Tampa. Jess had already told AJ that he could
either stay at Nick’s or come to her place. AJ still hadn’t
told her of his plans yet.<br><br>

“It’s a nice night out, isn’t it?” Jess asked as
they walked on the sidewalk towards the building.<br><br>

“Yeah, pretty nice for um, 4 am.” AJ said as he
looked at his watch.<br><br>
“Man, you sure are a grumpy bastard late at night,
has anyone ever told you that?” Jess said.<br><br>

“Ah, yeah, I’ve been told that I am an asshole if
I don’t have a beer in my hand and I am up at this hour of
the night, but what the hell.” AJ smiled as he replied.<br><br>


Jess and AJ took in the beautiful Florida night
sky. It was even nicer because they were out in public and
there wasn’t a soul around that was bothering AJ.<br><br>

“I guess it don’t get better than this.” AJ said
as he settled back onto a bench.<br><br>

“I’m gonna grab a couple of sodas, I will be back
in a sec.” Jess called back over her shoulder.<br><br>
“Make sure mine is leaded.” AJ called out to her.<br><br>

Jess waived back as she walked towards the vending
machine. She usually preferred pepsi, but she knew that
coke would have the stronger of the two with the caffeine so
she bought two cokes.<br><br>

AJ laid back and looked up at the stars while Jess
walked to the vending machine. He was deep in thought when
she handed the pop over to him.<br><br>

“Here, you really need this.” Jess said as she
held the bottle out to him.<br><br>

Taking the bottle of coke, AJ thanked Jess. He
drank almost half of it before he stopped for air.<br><br>

“Man, you were thirsty!” Jess remarked to him.<br><br>

AJ smiled as he looked at the half full bottle.<br><br>

“Naw, I just get so dehydrated after we do a
concert, and caffeine is the worst thing to drink when you
are dehydrated, but I am really beat.” AJ replied.<br><br>

“I understand fully,” Jess said.<br><br>
As AJ finished off his bottle, he stood up. “I’ll
be right back, I’m gonna splash some cold water in my eyes.”<br><br>

“Please do, I don’t want to scrape your ass off
the side of the road.” Jess laughed as she watched AJ walk
into the bathrooms.<br><br>

Sitting by herself on the bench, Jess let her mind
wander to how Nick was. She was hoping that this would be
the thing that would cure Nick from his exhaustion. He was
always trying to please others and put himself in last
before his own needs. It finally cost him when he collapsed
on stage during the concert. Jess couldn’t begin to imagine
the rumors that would soon begin to circulate from this. She
was almost afraid of what was going to leaked into the
press. As a car pulled into the parking lot, Jess felt a
little uneasy and looked warily towards the building hoping
that AJ would be walking out.<br><br>

An older couple got out of the car, and Jessica
relaxed back onto the bench. It was so late at night she
felt uncomfortable about sitting outside a rest area by
herself. She laughed to herself as she saw AJ nearly run
into the old man that was walking into the bathrooms. AJ
kind of did a slight nod as to appologize and did a half run
towards the bench where Jess was sitting.<br><br>

“Are you feeling better now?” Jess asked as AJ
sat down next to her.<br><br>
“Yeah, I’m ready to run the quarter mile, ha.” AJ
replied dryly.<br><br>

“Yeah, right.” Jess rolled her eyes when she
looked at him. “Did you want a coke for the road, something
cold and wet to drink in case you start getting sleepy
again?” Jess asked.<br><br>

AJ thought about the idea for a moment. “Yeah,
that does sound good, did you want me to grab one for you
too?” <br><br>

“Nope, I still have almost a full bottle, I can’t
drink coke as fast as you.” Jess said as she looked at her
bottle.<br><br>

“Okay, I’ll be right back.” AJ got up off the
bench and was reaching for his wallet as he walked towards
the vending machines.<br><br>

Jess couldn’t help but think about how lucky Nick
was to have such good friends that will help out with all of
the problems he has had lately. AJ was a hard person to get
to know right at first, but now Jess felt comfortable with
him as she did with the rest of the guys in the group.<br><br>
Chapter 34 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty-Five</h1>
<br><br>
Nick looked around the hospital room. He was still pretty
drowsy from the meds he had been taking for the last few
days, but it was a feeling he had been used to for most of
the summer anyway. He was hoping that the doctor would come
in this morning and tell him that he was okay to go home.
He was getting so sick of hospitals and being cooped up in a
room it was starting to make him feel crazy. It also didn’t
help that they had kept him so sedated that the only time he
got out of bed was to use the bathroom. <br><br>

Nick decided that he wanted to sit in the chair
next to the bed. He was so tired of laying down that his
back was feeling sore. As he stood up, his legs started to
shake a little. Nick ignored it and sat down in the chair
and turned the television on. He got about two minutes into
the program when he felt his eyelids growing heavy again.
Nick couldn’t fight off the sleepiness and nodded off.<br><br>

Jess woke up when her phone rang. It was the
hospital telling her that Nick had been approved to receive
some close family and friends for visits. It was the best
news she had heard in five days. She thanked the nurse and
wasted no time in dialing up Brian’s number. As usual, his
answering machine was on again.<br><br>

Jess drummed her fingers on the bedstand as she
listened to Brian’s dull answering machine message: “Hi, you
have reached 497-6695, please leave your name and message at
the tone, thanks.”<br><br>

Once again, Brian must be screening his phone
calls, Jess thought. It was not unusual for them to do so,
“Hey, wildcat, are you listening? This is Jess.” Jess
waited to see if Brian was there. There wasn’t an answer so
she quickly finished her message, “Nick can start having
visitors. Call me at 497-8681 if you get this. Bye.”
Jess then hung the phone up.<br><br>

Jess jumped out of bed and went to grab a quick
shower. She left the bathroom door open in case Brian
called back. Just as she had applied shampoo, the phone
rang.<br><br>

“Damn it.” Jess said as she let the answering
machine pick up the phone. She strained to listen to the
caller’s message. As she had suspected, Brian was calling
her back. She decided to call him after she got her hair
rinsed off.<br><br>

Jess got out of the shower and wrapped a towel
around her body. She dailed Brian’s number and once again
listened to his boring answering machine message. Once she
asked Brian to answer the phone, he was on instantly.<br><br>
“Hi Bri, I got great news!” Jess told him
excitedly.<br><br>

“And what would that be?” Brian asked.<br><br>

“Nick is allowed visitors today!” Jess spoke
quickly, she was so excited it was hard not to shout it.<br><Br>

“That’s excellent!” Brian sounded truly happy.<br><br>

“Yeah, I’m getting ready to go, do you want to
meet there or do you want me to stop by and get you?” Jess
asked.<br><br>

“Naw, that’s okay, I’ll see you when you get to
the hospital, it’s closer to me so I imagine I’ll see you
there in about three hours?” Brian asked.<br><br>

“Well, I gotta finish my hair and getting dressed
and---” <br><br>

“Okay, I’ll see you in five hours then!” Brian
interrupted.<br><br>

“Hey! It won’t take me that long.” Jess laughed.
“I’ll see you there in a couple of hours, okay?” <br><br>

“See you then. Bye.” Brian hung the phone up.<br><br><center>
Chapter 35 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty-Six</h1>
<br><br>




Jess walked nervously down the hospital corridors
towards Nick’s room. She hadn’t seen him in six days and
was anxious to see him and see how he was feeling. As Jess
neared his room, she saw a security guard sitting outside of
the door. When he saw Jess walking towards him, he stood
up.<br><br>

“I need to see some identification before I can
let you go in, ma'am.” The large man stated.<br><br>

Jess fumbled in her purse and found her billfold
and pulled out her driver’s license. The guard took it and
looked at the picture and then looked at Jess and then he
looked at the list of names on his clipboard. As he handed
the drivers license back to her, he thanked her.<br><br>
Jess sighed as she knocked on the door.<br><br>

“It’s open.” Nick said from the other side of the
door.<br><br>

Taking a breath, Jess pushed the door open. She
felt her heart skip a beat when she was Nick sitting up in
his bed reading a magazine.<br><br>

Nick looked up and was happy to see Jess enter the
room. He set his magazine down and started to get out of
the bed.<br><br>

“No, don’t stay where you are.” Jess asked Nick
to stay in bed.<br><br>

“Hey, I can get up, it’s okay.” Nick offered.<br><br>

“No, it’s easier for me to kiss you when you are
sitting, Nick.” Jess laughed as she spoke.<br><br>

When she got to the bed they first hugged and then
kissed. Jess took everything about Nick in when she looked
at him. She felt like it had been years instead of days
that she had seen him. She felt like crying because she was
so happy to see him again.<br><br>

“I missed you so much, Nick.” Jess said with
tears in her eyes.<br><br>
“Hey, I missed you too, darling, and please don’t
start crying on me, please.” Nick said back to Jess softly.<br><br>

“I won’t, it’s just that I was beside myself this
past week worrying about you.” Jess sighed.<br><br>

“Yeah, I guess I pretty much had the easy part of
this whole thing, this is the first day I have been actually
awake. They kept me pretty much sleeping the whole time I
have been here. I was awake only long enough to eat and
then within an hours time, they had me out again.” Nick
told her.<br><br>

“So how are you feeling?” Jess asked.<br><br>

“Um, tired, but it’s a good tired it’s not that
exhaustion crap.” Nick replied.<br><br>

“That is good. Has Brian been up to see you yet?
I called him as soon as I found out this morning.” Jess
asked.<br><br>

“Nope, he hasn’t been here yet.” Nick said.<br><br>

“He was so happy when I told him you could see
people. He has really had a hard time with not being able
to come and see you.” Jess said. “Have they mentioned when
they are gonna spring you outta here yet?” Jess asked while
she sat down in the chair next to the bed.<br><br>

“Nope, not a word. I am getting so sick of being
in here too. Don’t get me wrong, they have been great here,
it’s just I want my life to be normal again, you know?”
Nick looked out the window from his bed as he spoke.<br><br>
“Yeah, I understand, babe.” Jess said as she took
Nick’s hand. <br><br>

As Jess looked at Nick, she could tell he was
fighting the urge to fall asleep. <br><br>

“Go ahead, put your head back Nick. Just sitting
here with you is plenty for me. I want you to get better.” <br><br>

“Awh, I am so tired of sleeping though. They
stopped giving me stuff every four hours. I think they cut
it back to twice a day now.” Nick answered sleepily.<br><br>

“Shh, just close your eyes.” Jess reached up and
smoothed his hair back.<br><br>
Nick closed his eyes and fell asleep quickly.
Jess moved the magazine and the remote control that was
laying on his stomach. She sat back in the chair and looked
at Nick while he slept. Jess couldn’t help but think about
what things were like before the accident. She remembered
all of the energy and life that Nick was full of. Now that
was replaced with depression and tiredness. Nick looked so
peaceful resting that for a second it seemed to Jess that he
was okay, he was only resting. <br><br>

A lot that had happened to Nick since June. He
had gone through the accident, losing the usse of his legs,
regaining the use of his legs, total paralysis and losing
his voice and then after getting it back and reaching his
goal to be onstage again, he was only held back by
collapsing onstage. It didn’t seem fair to Jess to have
Nick suffer so much. It wasn’t like he was some horrible
person that needed to suffer, he was such a good person,
always willing to help others. <br><br>

Just as Jess was feeling tears fill her eyes, she
heard a soft knock on the door. She stood up and walked
over to the door and opened it a crack. She saw Brian’s
smiling face on the other side.<br><br>

“Hey, glad to see you.” Jess whispered to Brian.<br><br>

“Same here.” Brian whispered back as he quietly
entered the room. He looked over at the bed and saw Nick
sleeping.<br><br>
“He just fell asleep, he was fighting it but he
finally gave in.” Jess spoke quietly to Brian so that she
would not wake Nick up.<br><br>

Brian nodded his reply. He was just as happy as
Jess was just to see him again.<br><br>

“He looks like he’s feeling better.” Brian
remarked quietly.<br><br>

Jess nodded. She didn’t want to talk for fear of
waking Nick up. She gestured towards a chair that was in
the corner of the room. Brian walked softly over towards
the chair and picked it up and carried it over to the same
side that Jess was sitting on. When he sat the chair down,
Brian accidentally bumped the bed. Both Jess and Brian held
their breath as they looked at Nick.<br><br>

Nick’s eyes fluttered open and it seemed to take a
second for them to focus on Brian’s face.<br><br>
“Hey buddy, how are you?” Brian smiled and
touched Nick’s shoulder.<br><br>

Nick smiled at Brian. “Hey, glad to see ya.” <br><br>

“How are you feeling?” Brian asked.<br><br>

“Pretty good, better.” Nick answered. He was
getting sick of people asking him that question, but he
realized they were asking out of concern.<br><br>

“That’s great, you look good.” Brian rubbed
Nick’s head and messed his hair up. That was always a sure
fire way to annoy him. Brian didn’t get too many chances to
do that to Nick when he was standing because of the
difference in height.<br><br>

“Hey, comeon, quit that.” Nick protested
hoarsely.<br><br>

Brian just laughed. He liked getting a reaction
out of him. <br><br>

“Hey, you would do that too if you could move fast
enough!”<br><br>

“Ha, ha, very funny, you are so full of it.” Nick
answered back as he was trying to sit up in bed.<br><br>
“So when are they letting you out of here?” Brian
asked.<br><br>

“Don’t know, no one wants to tell me, I guess.”
Nick replied softly.<br><br>

“You’ll get out as soon as they think you are
ready and not before, we don’t need to have you back in here
again.” Jess answered.<br><br>

Nick rolled his eyes and sighed. He was getting
so sick and tired of being sick and tired. He was beginning
to feel as if he would never be normal again. He wasn’t sure
what normal felt like anymore.<br><br>

“Hey, don’t you be rolling your eyes at me,
mister.” Jess laughed.<br><br>
Nick rolled his eyes back at her again, this time
more slowly for emphasis.<br><br>

“Ohh, big man,” Jess laughed.<br><br>

“Thanks, I’ll take that as a compliment.”<br><br>

“You’re welcome, it was my pleasure.” Jess
replied. <br><br>

“Okay you two, quit it, this is getting on my
nerves.” Brian interjected.<br><br>
Nick settled back into the bed and sighed. “This
is really driving me crazy, you know that, don’t you?”<br><br>

“Yeah, we know.” Both Brian and Jess spoke at the
same time. <br><br>

A nurse appeared into the room. “I’m sorry, but
you will have to leave now, the patient needs his rest.”<br><br>

“But, we’ve only been here for not even thirty
minutes,” Jessica protested.<br><br>

“Come on, why can’t they stay?” Nick looked upset
to think that Brian and Jess would have to go.<br><br>
“Sorry, doctor’s orders.” The nurse tried to look
appologetic and failed miserably.<br><br>

Before Nick could say anything more, Jess stood up
and whispered in his ear, “Just relax, we will be back in
awhile, okay, you need to rest to get better.”<br><br>

Nick just looked at Jess and then Brian. “I can’t
believe this shit.”<br><br>

“Hey, relax, we will be back to see you again, I
promise.” Brian touched his friend on the shoulder.<br><br>

The nurse held out a cup with medication in it and
a cup of icewater. Nick just looked at the items and then
looked at the nurse. Everyone that was in the room knew it
was obvious that he had no intention of taking the meds.<br><br>

“Nick, you have to take that. If you don’t take
it, Brian and I will not come back to see you.” Jess tried
to plea bargin with him.<br><br>

“Jess, if I take that, I won’t know whether or not
you came back to see me.” Nick said angrily.<br><br>

“What is it?” Jess asked.<br><br>

“Tranquilzers.” Nick replied flatly. He was
getting so sick of taking mood enhancers and things to relax
him, he was beginning to wonder if he would know how to fall
asleep on his own.<br><br>
“Well, I guess you have to take them Nick. The
doctor wouldn’t prescribe them if you didn’t need them you
know.” Brian tried to encourage Nick to take the drugs.<br><br>

“I honestly don’t see where I need to take this
stuff anymore.” Nick was trying to get the nurse to leave
with the medications.<br><br>

“Nick, you still need to take it, they wouldn’t
give it to you if you didn’t need it. Now, please!” Jess
begged him to take his medication.<br><br>

Nick reluctantly held his hand out for the cup of
pills. Taking the cup he tossed the pills into his mouth
and then took the glass of icewater from the nurse. After
he swallowed the water he put on a fake closed mouth smile
for the nurse.<br><br>

The nurse asked him to open his mouth. Nick
shrugged his shoulders and opened his mouth and stuck his
tongue out and lifted it up to show her that the pills were
gone.<br><br>

Once the nurse was convinced he had swallowed his
pills, she reminded Jess and Brian that they needed to
leave.<br><br>

“Can we stay until he falls asleep?” Jess asked.<br><br>

The nurse knew that Nick would be asleep in less
than five minutes after taking the pills.<br><br>

“I guess that would be fine, but I will be
checking back here in ten minutes.” The nurse turned and
left the room.<br><br>
“Witch.” Nick said quietly after she left the
room.<br><br>

“Hey, now she was doing this for your own good,
don’t take it out on her.” Brian softly reprimanded Nick.<br><br>

The pills were already starting to effect Nick.
His eyelids appeared to grow heavier each time he blinked.<br><br>

“Where are you guys gonna go while I sleep?” Nick
asked. His speech was slurred to the point where it sounded
like he was drunk.<br><br>

“Probably out to eat or something.” Brian
replied. <br><br>

Nick’s head started to drop and then he jerked it
back up again fighting the sleepiness that was starting to
overtake him.<br><br>

“That’s okay, Nick, let it go, go to sleep.” Jess
talked softly trying to soothe Nick into sleep.<br><br>

Nick couldn’t fight it any longer. His head
dropped and stayed down. Jess pulled the covers up to his
chest and kissed him gently on the forehead. She turned to
Brian and pointed at the door. They walked quietly out of
the room.<br><br>

Jess let the door close softly. Nick’s nurse was
walking towards the room as they turned toward the
elevators. Once she saw Brian and Jessica, the nurse turned
around and walked back to the nurse’s station.<br><br>
“Man, did you see that? She was actually coming
back to see if we had left.” Jess said to Brian in a
shocked tone.<br><br>

“Well, she is doing it for Nick’s own good.”
Brian reminded her.<br><br>

“I’m just wondering how much longer he needs to
stay and how much longer they are going to be giving him
meds, I hate to see him strung out on stuff like a junkie or
something, you know that tranquilzers can be addictive.”
Jess said worriedly as she pressed the down button on the
elevator.<br><br>

“Oh, don’t worry so much, Nick is in good hands
and I am sure they wouldn’t keep giving him something until
he is dependant upon it.” Brian insisted.<br><br>

“Let’s hope you’re right on that, I mean, look at
some of those rock stars that are always doped up.” Jess
pointed out.<br><br>

Brian just laughed at her. “I cannot believe how
paranoid you can be. Relax, Nick hates taking pills, that
would be the furthest thing from his mind to constantly take
stuff all the time. So, where did you want to go and eat
at?”<br><br>


“I don’t care, you decide.” Jess said quietly.<br><br>

“Okay, let’s just get out of here first, if you
don’t mind?” Brian asked Jess as they got on the elevator.<br><br>

“Any place but here is fine by me.” Jess said as
she watched Brian push the button to the lobby.<br><br>
Neither one of them spoke while the elevator
stopped on every floor to either let people on or off. They
eventually ended standing towards the back when the elevator
finally reached the lobby. Jess and Brian had to move
through the people that were standing towards the front.<br><br>

Jess looked out towards the lobby when they got
off the elevator. She was surprised to see a television
camera with a reporter standing in the lobby doing a
broadcast. Brian tugged his hat down lower and stood next
to Jessica’s left side to be obscured by the camera just in
case they were there reporting about Nick. Jess and Brian
both strained to hear what the reporter was talking about as
they walked past her.<br><br>

Their suspicions were confirmed when they heard
the reporter mention Nick’s name. Jess and Brian
automatically stepped up their pace towards the front doors
and tried to be inconspicious as they walked past the
televsion camera. One of the television crew members caught
Brian and approached them and literally stepped in front of
Jess and Brian.<br><br>

“Excuse us, please.” Brian asked the man
politely. The man still stood in front of them, as Jess and
Brian tried to step to the left, the man also stepped to the
left. The same happened when they moved to the right.
Brian was starting to get agitated. “I said, excuse us,
please.” Jess could detect anger rising in Brian’s voice.<br><br>

The reporter came rushing over with her television
camera rolling.<br><br>

“Hi, Brian, I am Angie from WSTB channel 4 in
Tampa. We are taping live and we would like to ask you a
few questions regarding Nick Carter.” The tall blonde girl
asked Brian as the cameras were rolling and she stuck her
microphone in his face. Jess could see how annoyed Brian
was becoming. She had her hand on his back and rubbed it up
and down in an attempt to soothe Brian, she could feel the
tension growing.<br><br>

“Ah, this really isn’t a good time for this right
now.” Brian tried to be polite.<br><br>

“We just have a few questions that concerned fans
are wondering about. Could you tell me why Nick is here?”
The reporter smiled as she stuck the microphone back in
Brian’s face.<br><br>

Brian just stared at her in disbelief. He
couldn’t believe the audacity of the reporter to ambush him
like that in the lobby. He was also wondering how a
hospital would allow a reporter in the lobby to begin with.<br><br>
“I really feel that is between Nick and his
physician.” Brian answered quietly.<br><br>

“Good answer, Brian.” Jess thought to herself
quietly.<br><br>

“Well, the fans are truely concerned about Nick.
He has been very ill since the last part of June. We were
wondering if this had anything to do with his collapse
onstage last week?” The reporter was persistant.<br><br>

“Could be, it’s really between Nick and his
physician.” Brian answered again.<br><br>

“Well, what is wrong with Nick?” The reporter
asked and this time put the microphone in front of Jess’
face.<br><br>

That evidentally was enough for Brian. He put his
hand over the microphone. He pushed the mike down away from
Jess’s face.<br><br>

“I would appreciate it if you would leave us
alone, I have already told you anything that I would want to
share with you and I do not appreciate being ambushed on
live tv by you. If and when we do an interview, I would
appreciate you contacting my agent and then I may consider
doing one, but I do not do interviews about my friend while
I have just left him. That is not fair to me and it is
certainly not fair to Nick, understand me?” Brian was
visibly upset and tried to keep his composure.<br><br>

The reporter appeared as if she was not going to
give up even after Brian had begged her to leave them alone.
Brian turned to walk away and the cameraman stepped in front
of him filming him as he was attempting to walk away. Brian
just put his head down and kept walking and grabbed Jess by
the arm as he walked away. Jess had no choice but to follow
Brian. The cameraman kept up his pace along with Brian and
followed them through the parking lot. Jess couldn’t
believe that they insisted on following them out to the car.
Brian opened the drivers side door and motioned for Jess to
get in and slide over. She quickly did as Brian instructed
and Brian was right behind her. <br><br>

Brian didn’t say a word as he put the keys in the
ignition and started the car up. Jess had never seen Brian
this upset and angry before in his life. She didn’t think
he really had the capacity to be that way. He was always
such a easy going person.<br><br>
“This really sets the mood for an enjoyable lunch
now, don’t it?” Brian said as he pulled out of the hospital
parking lot.<br><br>

“Um, yeah.” Jess didn’t know what to say or do to
make Brian relax and forget about the reporters.<br><br>

“I really cannot believe how people could be so
intrusive, I mean, here poor Nick is trying to get on with
his life and then you have these idiots trying to magnify
anything and everything that has been going on with him
since June. How could anyone ever start to recover with
that kind of shit going on?” Brian just started rambling on
as he drove. He needed to get it off of his chest, it had
been building for such a long time. He usually didn’t mind
reporters and television cameras, he knew that they were
trying to make a living too, but this time, there was
something there that struck a raw nerve with him.<br><br>

Jess sat in the passenger seat and quietly
listened to Brian. She knew that she was a better friend
just listening to him and not saying or offering anything to
him unless he asked her.<br><br>

Suddenly, Brian realized that he was talking and
not paying much attention to Jess. “Oh, God, I am so sorry
Jess, let’s change the subject, this has really got me shook
up for some damn reason.”<br><br>

“Don’t worry about it Brian, I’m here to listen,
you need to let it out.” Jess said quietly.<br><br>

“Nope, where shall we go?” Brian asked as he
scanned the buildings along the busy road. “What are you in
the mood for?”<br><br>

“Nothing.” Jess replied.<br><br>

“Comeon, why am I always the one to make these
decisions? Where would Nick go right now?” Brian decided
to try and turn the tables on Jess.<br><br>
Jess thought about it for a second, an image of
Nick popped into her head. “Um, I guess he would go for a
big juicy cheeseburger and fries.” <br><br>

“Sounds fine to me. Now, lets see where a good
place that has the best burgers would be at.” Brian looked
down the street. The only restaurants that were along the
strip that they were on were all fast food joints.<br><br>

Jess spied a bar coming up. “Hey, let’s go to
that place, it looks kind of interesting to me.”<br><br>

“A bar? Are you sure about this?” Brian asked
her.<br><br>

“Hey, it’s not like I’m gonna sit back and drink
beer for an hour. Bars are always notorious for good greasy
cheeseburgers. Let’s try it, hey it may end up being the
best place for food and I discovered it.” Jess tried to
coax Brian into her decision.<br><br>

“Alright, but if this place bites, you’re paying,
right?” Brian teased.<br><br>

“Sure, we’ll use Nick’s credit card, okay?” Jess
laughed.<br><br>

“Sounds like a deal to me.” Brian said as he
pulled the car into the parking lot.<br><br>
Chapter 36 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty-Seven</h1>
<br><br>
Nick took a deep breath in and sighed loudly. Jess looked
up at him, worried.<br><br>

“What’s wrong now?” She asked.<br><br>

“Nothing, I guess I am just a little antzy, that’s
all. It’s been a long two weeks and I hate having to wait
for the damn doc so I can be discharged.” Nick replied.<br><br>

“I know, but, you know how doctor’s schedules are.
He’ll be in here soon, trust me, it’s not like you are gonna
be stuck in here forever, is it?” Jess rubbed his back as
she spoke.<br><br>

“I’m just afraid that he’ll come in here and
change his mind. I think I have done a good job at acting
well rested and shit.” Nick stated.<br><br>

“Acting? Nick, you are supposed to be honest
about this stuff, how in the world would you ever get better
if you play games all the time?” Jess questioned him.<br><br>

Nick laughed, “I was just teasing you, sorry.” <br><br>

“Hey, that is one thing I never want to hear come
from you is teasing about your health, do you understand
me?” Jess was looking visibly annoyed.<br><br>

“Easy there, hey, I am really sorry, I didn’t mean
to upset you.” Nick tried to smooth things over with Jess.<br><br>
“Just please, don’t ever make fun of stuff like
that, I mean, geeze, Nick sometimes you can be so stupid
about shit.” Jess said quietly.<br><br>

Nick walked over to the window and looked at the
street. Jess is right, Nick thought, I really shouldn’t
make fun of my health, afterall, she has been with me
through the worst of it. There was an awkward silence in the
room. Neither wished to speak at the moment, both thinking
about the events that had happened in their lives up to this
moment.<br><br>

Thankfully, the silence was interrupted by a knock
on the door.<br><br>

“Door’s open, come in.” Nick said. <br><br>

Dr. Davidson appeared through the doorway. He had
Nick’s chart in his hands. “Hi, Nick, how are you feeling
today?” The doctor asked as he walked towards Nick.<br><br>

“Pretty good, thanks.” Nick was getting so sick
of that question.<br><br>

“Well, it looks like you are fit to go home, what
do you think?” Dr. Davidson asked as he thumbed through
Nick’s chart.<br><br>

“I’ve been ready for the past week.” Nick
responded.<br><br>

“Well, we wanted to make sure that you were ready
to go home before we released you, I would hate to see you
coming in again, I have seen that you have a tendancy to
push yourself a wee bit too far.” The doctor stated.<br><br>
“Yeah, I guess, I’m just a little anxious to get
better and get on with my life.” Nick sounded like a child
that had been scolded as he appologised to the doctor.<br><br>

“Well, don’t appologize to me, I think this has
been a pretty valuable lesson to you, don’t you think? You
must remember to take it a little more easier. For every
time you put yourself back in here, you take almost 5 steps
back in your recovery. You were involved in a very serious
car accident in June and the body takes almost a year to
completely heal from the type of injuries you sustained. To
put it quite simply, you are very lucky to be alive.” Dr.
Davidson said.<br><br>

The final statement stung like someone had stabbed
Nick in the heart. He never at one time ever felt as if he
could have or would have died throughout his recovery. He
thought that the doctor was just being arrogant.<br><br>

“It’s true, Nick, everything that the doctor is
telling you is the truth, that is why we want you to slow
down and take everything one day at a time. We could have
lost you.” Jess could see the look in Nick’s eyes when the
doctor told him that he was very lucky to be alive. She
felt that it was necessary to let him know that this was
true. Nick was being such a risk taker lately and seemed to
not car about his actions lately by pushing himself to do
more than what he was able to deal with.<br><br>

“If you promise me that you will rest, and
absolutely no concerts for the next four months, and
absolutely no rigorous scheduling, I will allow you to be
discharged right now, but if you fail to keep these orders,
Nick, you will be finding yourself right back here again and
again and again. Your body has been stressed from the
accident and you are not giving yourself a chance to
recover. I am serious when I tell you that if you try and
pick up doing another concert before at least waiting for
three months, you will be back here again.” Dr. Davidson
looked Nick directly into the eyes when he talked.<br><br>
Nick’s mind was racing, how could he make the guys
wait for four months before they resumed the tour. They
were just starting out to tour for the Millenium album and
that had been postphoned since June. If they were to
postphone this thing again after trying to restart the tour,
the sales would never be there and they might as well not
even bother singing ever again. Nick was trying to think of
a way out of this one.<br><br>

“Ah, yeah, I understand you completely.” Nick
lied to the doctor, he wanted to be discharged and have the
matter never brought up again.<br><br>

“Good. I will leave some instructions as well as
some prescriptions that you should have filled too.” Dr.
Davidson turned and left the room.<br><br>

Jess put her hands on Nick’s shoulders. “There,
now you can go home and relax in your own bed.”<br><br>

“Thanks, but that wasn’t what I was hoping to
hear.” Nick replied.<br><br>
“Hey, you heard what the doctor told you, you are
to be taking it easy for another three to four months.
Didn’t you listen to a word he said?”<br><br>

“Yeah, I heard him.” Nick replied. He was sure
that he would do what he wanted to do and no one could tell
him what he could do. It was unreasonable to think
otherwise.<br><br>

Jess could tell by looking at Nick that he was
planning on doing something he shouldn’t be. She couldn’t
monitor every single thing that he wanted to do. Her
thoughts were distracted when the door suddenly opened and
Nick’s nurse entered.<br><br>

“Okay, I have three scrips that doctor would like
you to have filled and make sure that you take these as
directed.” She held them out for Nick to take.<br><br>

Nick took the papers and looked at each one. A
puzzled look came over his face.<br><br>
“What the heck are these things for? He’s got
Prozac, Vallium and Restoril. I would think I wouldn’t need
these anymore once I was discharged.” Nick asked the nurse.<br><br>

“Well, you have been on these since you were
admitted, and we don’t want to stop this suddenly. This
would be a shock to your system.” The nurse explained to
Nick.<br><br>

“We will get them filled, and it will be okay.”
Jess answered for Nick.<br><br>

Nick didn’t look particularly pleased with Jess at
the present moment. He was not planning on taking anything
once he was discharged.<br><br>

“Well, that’s all we need. I will call the front
desk and get a wheelchair sent up so you can go.” The nurse
stated.<br><br>

“Hey, can we cut the wheelchair bit, I mean it is
kinda embarrassing, and I am sure that there will be some
type of media hanging around out there.” Nick pleaded with
the nurse.<br><br>

“Nope, hospital rules, that is how all patients
are discharged. I will have someone here in a second,
okay?” The nurse turned and left without waiting for a
response.<br><br>

Nick looked at Jess. “This is insane, what the
hell are we waiting for anyway? Let’s just get out of
here.”<br><br>

Jess nodded and followed Nick out of the room.
They had to figure out how they could walk past the nurses
station without anyone noticing Nick walking by. They
turned around and went into his room again. Nick grabbed a
basket of flowers that had been sent to him. He figured if
he held it up by his face they would not notice him walking
by. He decided to give it a shot.<br><br>
“Are you ready?” Nick smiled a sheepish grin.<br><br>

“You lead, I will follow.” Jess replied.<br><br>

With that, Nick picked up the plant and walked out
the door. He picked up the pace when they walked past the
nurses station. They were busy answering calls from other
patients and talking to a group of girls on the other side
of the station. Nick knew that the girls were trying to see
him. He got a little nervous for a second when he and Jess
filed past them. Thankfully, they got to the elevators.
Jess pushed the down button and didn’t speak a word to Nick
while they waited for the elevator. They both seemed to be
holding their breath waiting for the elevator to come up.<br><br>

Once they got on the elevator, they both started
to laugh, like they had gotten away with the best plot ever
invented.<br><br>

“That was fun!” Nick laughed as he held the
flowers up to still hide his face.<br><br>

“Yeah it was, wasn’t it?” Jess laughed. <br><br>

There were a man and a woman on the elevator and
they looked at Jess and Nick, neither one of the people knew
who he was.<br><br>

As the elevator stopped on the lobby floor, Jess
looked at Nick.<br><br>

“Are you ready for the next step in this?” Jess
asked Nick.<br><br>
“I will never be ready for this, but we have to
anyway.” Nick still hung on to the flower basket as if it
were protecting him from harm.<br><br>

As they walked out into the lobby, Jess noticed
instantly that the reporter that had been there when she and
Brian had left that one day was there. She grabbed Nick’s
arm and pulled him close.<br><br>

“Hey, watch out for this, she is scoping the whole
damn area.” Jess whispered quietly.<br><br>

“Okay.” Nick replied as he kept his head down
hoping to elude this woman. He was wearing a ball cap and a
tee shirt and blue jeans, he was hoping that would be enough
to have them look the other way. <br><br>

Jess happened to notice the gold chains hanging
outside of Nick’s tee shirt. Those were always a dead
giveaway.<br><br>

“Nick, slip those inside your shirt, quick.” Jess
whispered.<br><br>

“Huh? What are you talking about?” Nick asked
back.<br><br>

Jess reached up and took the necklaces and slid
them inside his shirt. She was hoping that no one noticed
the action. Nick’s necklaces were so big and one of a kind
that it would be easily spotted by someone that was looking
for him.<br><br>

The reporter was watching the crowds come and go,
she was scrutinizing everybody that entered and left the
building. Nick felt for sure that they would be discovered
in a matter of seconds.<br><br>
They made it to the front entrance, and Jess
couldn’t walk fast enough to elude the reporter in the
lobby. As they walked out the front door, however, they
were met with a group of paparazzi and reporters who
immediately saw Nick and started up with the cameras and
shouting questions at him. The reporter in the lobby saw
the commotion and hurried out the door after them.<br><br>

The reporters were shouting out questions at Nick
from all sides. Nick couldn’t distinguish one voice from
another and the questions seemed to mingle together and not
make sense. He really didn’t want to take the time out and
answer any questions anyway, so that worked out well.<br><br>

Nick and Jess tried to force their way through the
crowd of reporters. The more Nick and Jess pushed, the more
the reporters seemed to push back and try to keep them from
leaving. Jess could feel the panic rise in her body.<br><br>

“Hey, Nick, what were you in here for and most
importantly, how do you feel now?” A reporter yelled out
from the crowd.<br><br>

Nick tried to avoid the question entirely. As
they tried to push past the crowd, they found that they
could not move away from them. Nick decided that they had
no choice but to stay and answer questions until they were
rescued by hospital security.<br><br>
“I am feeling fine now, thanks for asking.” Nick
replied to no particular reporter.<br><br>

“Is it true that you were admitted for a drug
overdose?” A reporter yelled from the back of the crowd.<br><br>

Nick looked at Jess and chuckled. “Ah, no, no
drug overdose, sorry, that is a new one to me.”<br><br>

“So what exactly were you admitted for then?”
Another reporter shouted.<br><br>

“Um, I was hospitalized for exhaustion. I was
pushing myself too hard to go on tour.” Nick quietly
stated. The words outloud hit him hard, he was feeling like
he had let his friends down. He was making a mental note
not to allow his health to jepordize their careers any
longer.<br><br>
“So you are okay now?” A female reporter asked.<br><br>

“Yeah, I am 100 percent better.” Nick lied to the
crowd. At least he thought he was telling the truth, but
not the whole truth. He didn’t think there was anything
more wrong with him and that he could lead his regular
normal lifestyle.<br><br>

Thankfully, the security guards came to the rescue
before any more questions were asked. Nick and Jess were
escorted over to the durango that sat in the circular drive
near the entrance. Nick didn’t hesitate to climb into the
driver’s side. Jess went ahead and sat in the passenger
seat. Pictures of them were being taken from all sides. It
was a sea of blinding flashes.<br><br>
Chapter 37 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty-Eight</h1>
<br><br>
You will have to take it easy, and I mean no concerts,
nothing for the next three to four months, and I am serious
about this, if you don’t take my advice, you will be in the
hospital again and again. Your body needs time to rest and
heal and you are pushing it too hard.<br><br>

Nick had the doctor’s words go through his mind
over and over for the last two weeks. He felt fine, he
didn’t feel as if he was tired more than usual. He felt as
if Jessica was watching him a little too closely, but other
than that, he felt alright.<br><br>

Nick picked up the remote control on the coffee
table and clicked on the television. After scanning through
the stations, he stopped on MTV. He set the remote down and
got out of the chair to go into the kitchen for a glass of
icewater. Nick stopped short of getting into the kitchen
when he heard a reporter on MTV:<br><br>

<i>Sources have reported that Backstreet Boy, Nick
Carter was being seen in an outpatient facility for his
prescription drug addition. Carter was seriously injured in
an automobile accident in June of this year and had been
under a doctors care since that time for numerous surgeries
and a suicide attempt. Carter is allegedly abusing vallium
and restoril. The group was to have finished their
Millenium tour by this date, but due to Carter’s collapse
onstage at their November 2nd concert in Orlando, the tour
has never been able to get off the ground. It appears that
because of Carter’s illnesses, that the group is breaking up
and the other members are doing their own projects. We will
keep you updated as the details are released.</i><br><br>
Nick couldn’t believe what he had heard. They are
all lies, how could anyone start these types of rumors? Nick
thought angrily. His mind was racing. He desperately
needed to do something or the group would be through and it
would be his fault. Nick’s mind started racing thinking of
what he should do. He picked up the phone and called the
first person he could think of.<br><br>

Nick hastily dialed Brian’s phone number. It
seemed to take forever before Brian actually answered the
phone.<br><br>

“Hello?” Brian was quiet when he answered. He
had forgot to turn his answering machine back on and was
always leary about answering the telephone because he got
too many calls from fans that would figure out his phone
number.<br><br>

“Hey, Brian, it’s Nick.” Nick waited for Brian’s
answer.<br><br>

“Hey Nick, how are ya doing?” Brian replied
happily.<br><br>

“Did you see MTV a few minutes ago?” Nick just
jumped into the question, he didn’t want to make small talk.<br><br>

“No, I didn’t have the tv on, why, something
wrong?” Brian could sense the tension in Nick’s voice.<br><br>

“Yeah, they said we were breaking up.” Nick said,
his voice was thick with emotion.<br><br>

“Who’s breaking up? You and Jess?” Brian was
confused.<br><br>
“No, not me and Jess, they were talking about us.
They said you guys decided to disband the group because of
me. Oh, Bri, they were saying that I was a junkie, strung
out on prescription drugs and that I was hurting the group
and that you guys were going to do your own projects.” Nick
was getting upset. The tears were stinging his eyes.<br><br>

Brian was starting to feel his temper flare. It
irritated him to think that they would do such careless
reporting. “Easy there, Nick, you know that isn’t true.”<br><br>

“Well, I know it, you and the guys know it, but
what about the fans, other people, they are gonna think that
I just held you guys back and that I am a suicidal junkie.”
Nick replied bitterly.<br><br>

“Now, Nick, you can’t let this stuff get to you.
Let me call Nikki and see if she can get this stuff
straightened out.” Brian was hoping that by calling their
publicist it would make Nick feel a little more comfortable.<br><br>

“Oh, yeah, like Nikki could convince them that
this insn’t true.” Nick was certain that this was the one
rumor that would damage any chances for the group.

“Nick, don’t be so negative, let’s try this and
see what happens. I will call you back in a few minutes,
okay?” Brian waited for Nick’s reply.<br><br>

“Yeah, okay.” Nick hung the phone up. He started
thinking over the rumors and how could he ever get rid of
them, they were plaguing him and he seemed to get the
feeling he was looking over his shoulder constantly when he
was going anywhere, including a doctor’s office.<br><br>

As Nick sat the phone down, he noticed how much
his hands were shaking. He was so upset that he was
shaking. Without thinking, he grabbed the bottle of vallium
and took two of them. It was an automatic reaction. He was
taking it when he needed to calm down, it was no big deal to
Nick, just a natural reflex.<br><br>

Nick decided to surf the internet while he waited
for Brian’s call back. He went into a Backstreet Boys
chatroom to see what the fans were talking about. Nick
never went online with his own name, he always came up with
odd names. <br><br>

After a few minutes in the room, Nick was
beginning to see what a terrible mistake he had made going
in there. The fans were talking about how much Nick Carter
was destroying the group with his problems, and then they
started making remarks about his looks saying he was fat and
he was going to drag the group down if he got any heavier.<br><br>
Upset, Nick got offline quickly. Ge walked into
the kitchen and got a beer out of the refridgerator. He
opened the beer and sat down on the couch. This definately
was not his day.<br><br>

The cold beer tasted good to Nick. Without a
second thought, Nick grabbed another beer and drank that
down quickly. Nick rarely drank, but he was upset with the
television report and the comments in the chatroom didn’t
help matters much more.<br><br>

When the phone rang, Nick reached out to grab it
and knocked it off the coffee table. The combination of the
vallium and beer had hit him hard. By the fifth ring, Nick
finally answered the phone.<br><br>

“Yeah.” Was all that he could manage.<br><br>

“Nick?” Brian wasn’t sure if he had dialed the
right number.<br><br>
“Yeah.” Nick’s voice was loud.<br><br>

“Ah, I got a hold of Nikki and told her what was
going on. She thinks she can persuade the press to release
an official statement. Does that sound okay to you?” Brian
waited for Nick’s answer.<br><br>

“Yeah.” Nick didn’t want to say anymore, he knew
he couldn’t.<br><br>

“Hey, buddy, are you okay?” Brian was starting to
worry.<br><br>

“Yeah.” Nick replied.<br><br>

“Alright, something’s up with you. Tell me what’s
going on.” Brian was beyond worry, he was now panicking.<br><br>

“I’m fine,” Nick’s speech was slurred, almost to
the point of being incoherrent. He sounded very tired to
Brian.<br><br>

“Hey buddy, what are you on?” Brian tried not to
let the worry show in his voice.<br><br>

“Huh?” Nick was growing tired. The mixture of
the vallium and beer was taking a hold on his system. His
head started to drop and the phone fell to the floor.<br><br>
Brian wasn’t sure what to do. He was two hours
away from Nick’s house. He waited to see if Nick would pick
the phone up. Brian wasn’t sure what was wrong with Nick.
He would hate to call the paramedics if he were simply
drunk, but would also hate to not call if it was something
seriously wrong with Nick.<br><br>

Brian started to yell into the phone, “NICK ARE
YOU THERE. PICK UP THE PHONE.”<br><br>

There wasn’t any response from Nick. Brian picked
up his cell phone and dialed Jess’s phone number. It seemed
to take forever before Jess answered the phone.<br><br>

“Hello?” Jess was out of breath after running up
the basement stairs. <br><br>

“Hey, Jess, it’s me, Brian, I need you to do
something for me right now, okay? Brian’s voice was loud
and he spoke very quickly.<br><br>

“Whoa, wait, what’s wrong?” Jess tried to get
Brian to calm down.<br><br>

“Jess, I need you to go to Nick’s, I think there
is a problem, I’m not sure what it is.” Brian ran the words
together again.<br><br>

“Oh, no, I’ll go right now.” Jess grabbed her
keys and ran out the door. The drive to Nick’s house would
take about twenty minutes. She desperately wanted to drive
faster, but the traffic wouldn’t allow it.<br><br>

After Jess hung up the phone, Brian listened back
onto the phone to see if he could hear Nick. The only
sounds were background noises of the television set.<br><br>

“NICK, WAKE UP BUDDY, ANSWER ME, PLEASE.” Brian
pleaded into the phone, he was hoping to get some type of
reply from Nick.<br><br>
Brian kept his end of the conversation up while he
waited to hear Jessica walk into the house. Nick was not
reponding to Brian at all and he was worried. <br><br>


Brian finally heard sounds of a door opening and
Jess calling out Nick’s name.<br><br>

Jess walked into the living room and found Nick
laying face down on the couch. His arm was draped over the
side and the telephone was laying on the floor beside his
hand. She struggled to turn Nick over as he was dead weight
and was having a hard time turning him.<br><br>

After she got him onto his side, Nick gasped for
air. The noise startled Jess and she started to shake. She
picked up the phone.<br><br>
“Brian, I am here. Nick looks like he was passed
out on the couch. I don’t know what to do.” Jess was
scared, she never dealt with anything like this before.<br><br>

“Shit, I’m not sure either, shake him and see if
you can wake him up.” Brian suggested.<br><br>

Jess grabbed a hold of both of Nick’s shoulders
and started to push them vigorously. “NICK, WAKE UP.” Jess
yelled at him.<br><br>

Nick’s only response was a soft moan.

“Nothing Brian, he just moaned really quiet and
that was it. What now?” Jess was panicky.<br><br>

“Try slapping his face, go ahead, slap him hard.”
Brian wasn’t sure if Jess would do it.<br><br>

“I don’t know if I can.” Jess was scared to.<br><br>

“You have to, just do it.” Brian almost yelled at
Jess out of frustration.<br><br>

Jess slapped his face hard on both cheeks. While
she slapped him, she yelled Nick’s name over and over again.<br><br>

Finally, Nick started to respond to the hitting.
He put his arms up to the sides of his head. His eyes were
still closed.<br><br>

“NICK YOU SON OF A BITCH, WAKE UP, ANSWER ME NOW.”
Jess was getting angrier by the minute. How could Nick
possibly have done something to himself again, he knew how
everyone felt the last time he was stupid and did something
desperate.<br><br>
Nick’s eyes opened. He looked at Jess and it
appeared that he was looking through her. He looked around
the room. His eyes looked wild. <br><br>

“What are you on? What did you take?” Jess asked
him, hoping he would say.<br><br>

Nick just stared at her blankly. He could not
remember what he did before Jess started hitting him.<br><br>

Jess picked up the phone again to talk to Brian.
“He is not talking to me yet, he looks like he doesn’t know
where he is right now. What should I do now?” Jess was
still worried.<br><br>

“Have him drink some coffee for you, or do you
think you can get him to get up and walk with you?” Brian
asked.<br><br>

Jess looked at Nick laying on the couch. There
was no way she would be able to move him herself, she would
have to have Nick help her.<br><br>

“Um, Nick, I need you to get up and take a walk
with me, can you?” Jess asked him.<br><br>

Nick just stared at Jess.<br><br>

“Hey, I need you to do this for me, you have to do
this. Come on, help me.” Jess pleaded with Nick.<br><br>
Jess pulled at Nick. Nick was not very
cooperative he made it harder for her to pull him up off of
the couch. She dropped his arm and talked to Brian on the
phone again.<br><br>

“He is not helping me at all, it’s as if he can’t
move.” Jess was growing more worried by the minute.<br><br>

“Won’t or can’t?” Brian asked her.<br><br>

“I don’t know, he doesn’t seem to want to
cooperate with me at all. What else can I do, I am not that
strong. I wish there were someone that could come in here
and help me move him.” Jess was getting more and more
frustrated by the minute. Nick was not helping her at all.<br><br>

“Make him some coffee and see if he will take that
from you.” Brian suggested.<br><br>

“You realize, by the time I do all of this, you
could have been down here by now?” Jess remarked as she
walked with the phone into the kitchen. “I do see some
empty beer cans, but there are only two of them, and that is
hardly enough to do anything to someone like the way Nick is
acting, I wonder if he took something without thinking about
the beer, but what did he take?” Jess was wondering outloud
as she got the coffee started.<br><br>

“What kind of stuff does Nick have around the
house that he would take? Look on the counters and in the
livingroom.” Brian suggested to Jess.<br><br>

Jess walked around the kitchen, the countertops
did not have any particular item that was out of place. She
walked into the livingroom and looked at every endtable and
didn’t see anything sitting out ontop of it.<br><br>

“There’s nothing laying out here, Brian, I don’t
know what he took.” Jess sighed.<br><br>
“Hey, check his pockets, maybe he put it in his
pockets.” Brian was trying to think of where Nick would
have put something.<br><br>

Jess felt Nick’s shirt pockets and they were
empty. When she reached into his left front pants pocket,
she felt a bottle in it. Pulling the bottle out, it was a
prescription bottle. She was almost too afraid to look and
see what was in the vial.<br><br>

“Um, I found it, it looks like he took vallium. I
can’t imagine why though, he hates taking pills and he was
totally disgusted in the hospital when they made him take
the stuff.” Jess said as she was reading the bottle.<br><br>

She walked into the kitchen and taking out a
coffee mug from the cupboard, she filled the mug up with
strong coffee and took it into the livingroom for Nick to
drink.<br><br>

“Here, drink this.” She held the mug out for Nick
to take it. He looked at Jess, but his eyes did not focus
on her, it looked as if he was looking through her.<br><br>

Just as she was about ready to give up, there was
a knock on the front door. Setting the cup down on the
table, Jess went to answer the door, she still had the phone
with her.<br><br>

She was relieved to see AJ standing on the front
porch.<br><br>

“Oh, thank god, someone I could use right now.”
Jess was so happy to see AJ, that she hugged him.<br><br>

“Hey, I should come over here more often.” AJ
laughed.<br><br>
“I’ve got a problem with Nick and I need you to
help me with him. I think he took some vallium and he was
drinking too, AJ he is really out of it. I can’t do
anything with him.” Jess barely got the words I’ve got a
problem with Nick out and AJ rushed past her into the
livingroom towards Nick.<br><br>

AJ wasted no time in grabbing Nick by the arms and
pulling him up. Nick’s head dropped backwards and then in
bobbed to the front. AJ pulled Nick up off the couch,
“Jess, go on the other side of him and put his arm around
your shoulder, I need to try and get him to walk.”<br><br>

Jess ran over to the other side of Nick. She put
his arm around her and it just hung over her shoulder. <br><br>

As AJ attempted to get him to walk, Nick’s legs
dragged behind him. There was no walking with Nick, he was
lifeless and did not respond to any commands. <br><br>

“Let’s get him into the shower.” AJ told Jess as
they dragged Nick towards the bathroom. AJ pulled Nick into
the shower and turned the cold water on. They stood there
fully clothed with the water beating down on Nick. AJ then
started to slap Nick’s face and yell. “COME ON NICK, SNAP
OUT OF IT, DAMMIT, DON’T PULL THIS ON ME. COME ON, WAKE UP
NICK.” As AJ repeated the phrase over and over he kept
slapping Nick’s face. <br><br>

Finally, what seemed to take forever, Nick started
to come around. Nick stood in the shower and started crying
loud, almost painful sobs. <br><br>

“Hey, it’s okay, Nick, we’re here.” AJ tried to
comfort Nick. He knew he was scared about what was going on
as well as being confused.<br><br>

“Nick, it’s gonna be alright, okay” Jess talked
to him in a soothing voice.<br><br>

Nick’s only response was looking at them while he
continued to cry. His legs gave out on him twice, and AJ
was there to hold him back up so he wouldn’t fall down to
the shower floor. <br><br>

“Nick, what did you take?” AJ asked with his face
in Nick’s face.<br><br>
Crying, Nick stammered, “I, um, I..I..dddon’t
rremembber.”<br><br>

“Come on, you have to remember, what was it?” AJ
tried to persue the issue.<br><br>

Nick’s teeth were chattering from the cold water.
Jessica noticed that his lips were turning blue.<br><br>

“Vvvallium.” Nick replied. It was barely
audible.<br><br>

“Yeah, how much?” AJ demanded.<br><br>

“I, um, I, I, think two.” Nick said.<br><br>

“Two? Are you sure about that? I can’t imagine
two would do this to you!” AJ was in Nick’s face again.<br><br>

“It was two! I swear!” Nick yelled back at AJ, he
was starting to get agitated.<br><br>

“Come on, I know that two of them wouldn’t get you
messed up like you are, what did you have with it?” AJ
yelled back at Nick.<br><br>
“I drank some beer, not much, I know, I was dumb.”
Nick finally admitted what he had with the tranquilizers.<br><br>

“You’re damn right that was dumb, it was stupid.”
AJ said as he turned the water off.<br><br>

Both Nick and AJ were dripping wet. Jessica
grabbed a couple of towels and handed them to AJ and Nick.<br><br>

“AJ, I’m gonna give you a pair of Nick’s sweats to
put on, I’ll throw your clothes in the dryer.” Jess called
back over her shoulder as she went into Nick’s room.<br><br>

“Thanks.” AJ replied as he was toweling off and
looked at Nick. “Just what the hell were you doing there,
Nick?” AJ appeared upset with Nick.<br><br>

“I forgot I had taken the vallium, I was getting
mad at the report on the tv and I decided to have a beer.
The first one I drank tasted good, so I went ahead and got
another one. I had called Brian before I drank the beer and
I guess my mind slipped.” Nick ran his sentenances together
without a pause. <br><br>

“Yeah, your mind slipped alright. Why did you
take the vallium in the first place?” AJ asked.<br><br>

“I was upset with the tv report and when I got off
the phone with Brian, my hands were shaking. I usually will
take them to calm down. I have in the past, no big deal.”
Nick tried to shrug it off.

“No big deal? Boy, you sure take stupid things
lightly. Do you realize what could have happened to you?
Tranquilzers are not things to play around with, do you
understand?” AJ was in Nick’s face again.

“I’m sorry, okay? Just leave it at that.” Nick
was starting to get annoyed at AJ, he was becoming too
demanding.<br><br>

“Just remember what I said Nick, alright?” AJ was
hoping he was getting through to him.<br><br>
“Yeah, I’ll never forget.” Nick barely said the
words to AJ. He was getting sick and tired of people trying
to run his life for him.<br><br>

“You better not, do you understand?” AJ was
persistant.<br><br>

“I said yes!” Nick was cold and wanted to get out
of the shower. <br><br>
Chapter 38 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Thirty-Nine</h1>


<br><br>“Jess, I don’t care what the doctors said, I gotta do
something and I have to do it fast, we are slowly slipping
away and we are losing popularity by the thousands, besides
look at me? I look like complete shit.” Nick was
desperately trying to make Jessica understand that he needed
to go out and perform again.<Br><br>

“Nick, would you quit being so hard on yourself,
you look fine, besides think of all of the stuff you have
been through since June, that would take a toll on anyone,
you are not superhuman.” <br><br>

“Well, my mind is made up and I am going to do it.
I can’t keep laying around doing nothing.” Nick stated to
Jess in a flat, even tone.<br><br>

“Then just remember when you are back in the
hospital, this is one person that won’t drop everything and
run up there to see you. If you are going to destroy
yourself like that, I won’t have any part in it.” Jess
snapped back at Nick.<br><br>
“Fine.” Nick snapped at her.<br><br>

“Fine.” Jess replied as she walked away from Nick
and into the kitchen. She started picking up dishes and
slamming them around into the dishwasher.<br><br>

Nick glared at Jess when he picked up the phone.
He reached for his address cards and looked up the number to
his agent. When he dialed the phone number, he pressed the
keys hard.<br><br>

Jess slammed dishes down even harder and glared at
Nick more. She could only pick up his half of the
conversation and she did not like one bit of what she was
hearing.<br><br>

“Hi, Jack, this is Nick. I am ready to go back on
tour with the guys........Yeah......okay......9:00,
sure.....okay, goodbye.” Nick pressed the hang up button on
the phone and slammed the phone down on the coffee table.
He stood up glared at Jess and walked into the bedroom.<br><br>

“Nick you are so damn stupid for doing this, I
swear, you are gonna be sorry for doing this, mark my
words.” Jess called out towards the bedroom, but Nick
didn’t answer her. She wiped her hands on a towel and
walked down the hall towards the bedroom.<br><br>


“Nick, I’m sorry, but you really need to listen to
me, I think you’re making a big mistake. This is not going
with doctors orders on this one and I know down the road it
is gonna hurt you, do you understand where I am going with
this?” Jess walked into the bedroom and found Nick putting
on a clean shirt.<br><br>

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.” Nick was annoyed with her
interferring with his life. He needed to get back to work,
he was hating the fact that his life had been put on hold
since the end of June and it was starting to get to him.<br><br>

“Please, Nick, listen to me.” Jess tried to plead
with Nick.<br><br>

“My mind is made up, plain and simple, there is no
changing it, do you understand?” Nick replied looking at
Jess quickly.<br><br>

“There’s absolutely no way I can change your
mind?” Jess asked Nick.<br><br>

Nick grabbed his car keys and wallet. “Nope, I
got an appointment to talk to Jack in a half an hour. See
you later.” Nick kissed Jess quickly on the cheek as be
brushed past her.<br><br>

Jess watched Nick go out the front door, get into
his vehicle and back out of the driveway. He was so
stubborn and would not listen to her advice. She was hoping
that his agent would set him straight when he met with Nick
and not just look at the dollar signs.<br><br>
Nick settled down into the car as he drove onto
the highway. He turned the radio on and partially listened
to the advertisements that were going on the radio. He was
thinking about what he would say to Jack to convince him
that he was ready to go back on tour.<br><br>

He glanced into the rearview mirror and quickly
looked away from the reflection. He did not like what he
saw in the mirror. All Nick could see was the negative
things in his face, how the ten pounds he had added since he
was off seemed to him more like one hundred and ten. He
felt horrible about himself and he felt like he was losing
control of his body. He was thinking if he spent one more
month off, he would never be able to go onstage again, his
self confidence would be destroyed.<br><br>

Nick pulled into the parking lot where his agent’s
office was. It was a tall white brick building that was an
office complex that housed many businesses. As Nick
approached the building, two girls were walking out of the
building down the sidewalk. They immediately recognized
Nick.<br><br>

“Hey, you’re Nick Carter!” One of the girls
squealed excitedly. <br><br>

Nick smiled at them as he kept walking towards the
building.<br><br>

“Hey, hold up, can we get your autograph?” The
girl called out to Nick.<br><br>

Nick stopped and turned around and walked towards
the girls. “Sure.”<br><br>

They fumbled in their purses looking for a piece
of paper and a pen. One of them produced an old grocery
store receipt and a pen. “This is all I have, sorry.” She
seemed embarrassed to have Nick sign a piece of scrap paper.<br><br>

“Don’t worry about it, paper is paper afterall.”
Nick smiled back at the girls.<br><br>
“When are you guys going back on tour, I mean, you
are alright now, aren’t you, I mean, I heard the news about
your problems that you were having------”<br><br>

Nick cut the girl off. “Those reports were lies,
all of them.” He was very angry about that topic being
brought up.<br><br>

“Oh, the suicide thing and the drugs were lies?”
The girl asked while she watched Nick sign his name. She
didn’t sound as if she were totally convinced.<br><br>

Nick literally shoved the paper and pen back at
her. He didn’t acknowledge her question. After she took
the paper from him, he turned and continued to walk towards
the office building. The girl started calling out after
him.<br><br>


“Nick, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it. Don’t go away
mad, please.” The girl called out to him only to watch Nick
disappear into the darkness behind the shaded doors.<br><br>

Nick was glad to escape the comments from the two
autograph seekers. His manager’s office was on the fourth
floor and Nick impatiently waited for the elevator. As he
got on, the elevator stopped on each floor, only to find
that there was no one waiting for the elevator. Finally,
the elevator arrived to the fourth floor.<br><br>

The manager’s office was the last office at the
end of the hall. Nick walked in to find the secretary
typing at the front desk. She briefly looked up at Nick,
smiled and told him that Jack would be out in a moment.<br><br>

Nick sat down on the couch and looked at the
entertainment magazines that littered the coffee table. He
smiled to himself when he saw pictures of the current bands
on a magazine. His eyes caught the headlines on one
magazine in particular. Nick picked the magazine up. He
quickly thumbed through the magazine to find the article.<br><br>


ARE THE BACKSTREET BOYS LOSING THEIR FANS?<br><br>

The recent reports on the rumors of an alleged
prescription drug abuse involving Nick Carter has caused
problems within the band as well as outside of the band. <br><br>

Carter had been hospitalized on June 19, 1999
following a two car accident in which he was critically
injured. Nick’s recovery this summer was filled with ups
and downs in his condition which included paralysis, loss of
his voice, a coma, suicide attempt and now the prescription
drug abuse of vallium and restoril.<br><br>

Fans initially had stood behind the band since
June, but all interest is starting to wane and has all but
disappeared completely. The group had started a new
Millenium tour in Orlando in November, only to have Carter
collapse onstage the second night of their tour. He was
hospitalized for two weeks suffering from exhaustion.
Doctors have now stated that he has recovered but his
condition is still guarded.<br><br>

Management for the group has declined comment, and
calls to Nick Carter have not been returned.<br><br>

The secretary told Nick that the manager was ready
to see him. Nick took the magazine and walked into the
office. <br><br>
Jack stood up and put his hand out to Nick as Nick
entered the room. “Hey, Nick, good to see you. How are you
doing?”<br><br>

“Fine.” Nick replied as he sat in the leather
chair that was facing the desk.<br><br>

“So, you’re ready to go back on tour with the
guys, huh? Did your doctor say you’re fine and ready to
go?” Jack asked Nick as he sat in his chair.<Br><br>

“Um, yeah, I am ready to go back on tour.” Nick
was hoping to avoid answering the question about the doctor.<Br><br>

“And your doctor has given you a clean bill of
health? Jack asked Nick.<br><br>

Nick winced when he hear Jack ask him about the
doctor again. “Well, I guess I could get a permission slip
if that’s what you need.” Nick responded sarcastically.<br><br>

“Well, actually, Nick, I do need something in
writing, for legality reasons that shows you are in good
health. I just have to cover my ass, if you know what I
mean.” As Jack talked, he flipped through a folder on his
desk.<br><br>

“I suppose I could get something, but we need to
get a tour started up asap, here look at this article.”
Nick shoved the magazine in the manager’s face.<br><br>

Jack glanced that the magazine. “Yeah, I have
heard about that.”<br><br>
“And?” Nick was waiting to hear something
positive from Jack. <br><br>

“Well, we could get something started while I was
waiting on your papers.” Jack said as he picked up his
roledex of telephone numbers.<br><br>

Nick watched as Jack stopped on a card and wrote
something on a piece of paper and went onto another card.<br><br>

“But, Nick, remember, this all hinges on you. If
you don’t produce the paperwork that I need, it will be done
in a blink of an eye. It can be called off just like that.”
Jack snapped his fingers for emphasis.<br><br>

“Okay, I will get the papers as soon as possible.
You will call when stuff gets set up, right?” Nick asked as
his stood up.<br><br>

“You bet, I will be calling you probably this
afternoon, okay?” Jack stood up and reached his hand out
again for Nick to shake it.<br><br>

“Sounds good, thanks Jack.” Nick turned and
walked out of the office.<br><br>

Nick’s mind was running through what he could say
to his doctor that would allow him to return on tour. He
picked up his cellphone and dialed information for his
doctor. As he dialed the phone number, Nick kept thinking
over and over what he was going to say to him.<br><br>

Nick listed to the phone ring while he drove down
the road. A young woman’s voice answered the phone,
“Doctor’s office, this is Marci, how may I help you?” <br><br>

“Um, yeah, I need to get a slip from the doctor to
return back to work, do I need to set up an appointment for
that?” Nick asked.<br><br>
“I need to have your file pulled, what’s the
name?” The receptionist asked.<br><br>

“Nickolas Carter.” Nick hated saying his name to
anyone, he always braced himself for a comment.<br><br>

“Okay, hold for a moment please, I’ll pull the
file.” The receptionist didn’t wait for Nick to answer, she
placed him on hold and Nick ended up being a captive
audience to opera music.<br><br>

Within a few moments, the recepionist was back on
the phone. “I need you to speak with the nurse, just a
moment please.” <br><br>

Nick heard the sound of the call being transferred
to another area. A woman answered the phone. “This is
Julie, may I help you?”<br><br>

“Yeah, I need a doctor’s permission slip to return
back to work. I was wondering if I had to see the doctor or
if he would just fill out a slip so I can pick it up. It is
very important that I get it as soon as possible.” Nick ran
his sentances together, he was nervous that he would be
denied his request.<br><br>

“Your name was again, I’m sorry.” The nurse
wanted to verify Nick’s name.<br><br>

“Um, Nickolas Carter.” Again, Nick hated to tell
her his name.<br><br>

“Oh, okay, I have the file right in front of me.
Mmmm, let’s see here, ah, yes, you would have to see doctor
before he would give you a work release slip.”<br><br>

“I need this asap, is there anyway I can get
in to see him this morning?” Nick was hopeful.<br><br>
“If you can get over here right away, I can slide
you in before doctor’s regular scheduled appointments.” The
nurse replied.<br><br>

“I am on my way right now, in fact I am pulling
into the parking lot.” Nick responded.<br><br>

“Okay, I will have your chart ready, thank you.”
The nurse hung the phone up.<br><br>

Nick pulled into the parking lot and stepped out
of the durango. The doctor’s office was a busy place and
the parking lot was full of people. Nick lowered his
ballcap over his eyes as he headed towards the building,
looking down at his feet as he walked. Nick was leary of
making eye contact with anyone this morning, especially
after those two girls at the agent’s office.<br><br>

Walking up to the front desk, Nick wrote his name
on the sign in sheet at the counter. The waiting room in
the doctor’s office was packed. Nick found a chair in the
far corner of the room. As he sat down, he grabbed a
magazine that was on the table next to the chair. It wasn’t
one of his particular favorite magazines to read, but he
just wanted to keep himself occupied. <br><br>

Nick could hear the whispers from the girls that
were sitting near him. He slouched deeper into his chair
and held the magazine up higher. He winced when a medical
assistant opened the door and cheerfully announced to the
room: “Nickolas Carter?”<br><br>

Nick immediately stood up and walked towards the
woman. He could feel the eyes staring at him from the back. <br><br>

“Hi, Nickolas, how are you today?” The assistant
was making small talk with Nick as she led him down a
hallway towards the doctor’s private office.<br><br>

“Fine, thanks.” Nick was not in the mood for
small talk.<br><br>
The assistant set his chart on the desk and
gestured towards a chair for Nick to sit in. “The doctor
will be in to see you in a few minutes.” The assistant
softly closed the door behind her.<br><br>

Nick hated going to the doctor’s office, this was
his family physician, not the doctor he had seen when he was
in Orlando. Nick had been going to this doctor ever since
he lived in Tampa. He was hoping that this doctor would
write a return to work slip without any questions. <br><br>

Nick could feel the tension as he heard the doctor
outside of the door. He was talking about tests on a
patient and obviously had his hand on the doorknob. Nick
stiffened up in his seat as the door swung open.<br><br>

“Good morning, Nick.” Dr. Parnello smiled as he
entered his office.<br><br>

“Good morning.” Nick tried to sound upbeat and
cheerful.<br><br>
The doctor took a seat behind his desk. “What can
I do for you today, Nick?”<br><br>

“Um, I need a return to work slip.” Nick stated
quietly.<br><br>

“A return to work slip? Why didn’t you go to the
doctor that took you off work?” Dr. Parnello leaned closer
towards Nick.<br><br>

“Um, well, he was just the attending physcian at
Orlando Hospital, and I don’t want to drive up there to get
a slip from him. He just saw me when I was at the hospital
there.” Nick fumbled and searched for the right words to
sound good to the doctor.<br><br>

“Oh, I see, what were you hospitalized for? Could
you fill me in on this?” Dr. Parnello asked.<br><br>

“Geeze, I know you’re busy doc, all I need is a
slip from you so I can give it to my agent, you don’t need
to hear this story.” Nick was trying to plead his way out
of the situation.<br><br>

“Sorry, Nick, but I won’t give you a slip until
you explain what had happened.” Dr. Parnello tried to sound
sympathetic.<br><br>

“Alright, it’s a long story though.” Nick was
hoping he would tell him to forget it.<br><br>

“That’s okay, I’m a good listener.” The doctor
smiled as he sat back in his chair.<br><br>
“Well, we tried to start our Millenium Tour on
November 2 in Orlando. I did one concert that night. The
next night we started the concert and everything was fine
and then about a half hour into the performance, I collapsed
onstage. They took me to the hospital and I was admitted
for two weeks for exhaustion and dehydration. I’m fine now,
but my agent told me he needed a return to work permit for
legal reasons so that’s why I am here.” Nick rushed through
the statement, he was hoping the doctor would agree that he
was fine to go back to work.<br><br>

“Oh, I see. What was the name of the doctor at
the hospital?” Dr. Parnello asked.<br><br>

Nick tensed up, he had a sick feeling in the pit
of his stomach. “Gee, I don’t really recall.” He lied to
Dr. Parnello hoping that he would just let it go.<br><br>

“That’s okay.” Dr. Parnello started leafing
through Nick’s thick file. “Ah, here it is, Dr. Davidson.”
Dr. Parnello picked up the phone and started dialing a
number from a paper in Nick’s chart.<br><br>

Nick started wondering if he should just get up
and leave now, he knew the doctor would talk to this
Davidson person and then his plans would be blown out of the
water.<br><br>

“Yes, could I speak with Dr. Dan Davidson, this is
Dr. John Parnello.” Dr. Parnello was playing with the pen
on his desk while he waited for Dr. Davidson to answer the
call. <br><br>

Nick just sat in the chair listening to the
doctor’s end of the conversation.<br><br>

“Yeah, Dan...this is Jack, how are you?....yes, it
was a good game....the reason I was calling you was a
patient of mine that you admitted back in November for
exhaustion and dehydration.......yes, that’s the
one.....well, he is in my office seeing about getting a
return to work permit.......I see........no he
didn’t......no, that was fine......so what was the reason
now?.......okay, well thanks for filling me in on it....tell
Darla I said hi......thanks....goodbye.” Dr. Parnello hung
the phone up and sat back in his seat. “Well, Nick, Dr.
Davidson tells me that you are supposed to be off work for
another three months, are you aware of this?” Dr. Parnello
waited for Nick’s response.<br><br>

“Um, yeah, I guess.” Nick was hoping that Dr.
Parnello would ignore what Dr. Davidson told him.<br><br>

“Nick, it’s only been two weeks since you were
discharged, you are pushing things way too fast.” The
doctor sat back in his chair.<br><br>
“I realize that, but I need to go back, we are
slowly losing our fans and this is hurting the group. It
all falls on me, my shoulders, if I don’t do something now,
we will lose it all and it will be my fault.” Nick’s hands
were shaking as he spoke. He held them down, hoping the
doctor would see it.<br><br>

“Nick, if you don’t rest and take this
recooperation seriously, you won’t be able to ever resume
you career, ever! I’m sorry, but I can’t, with a clear
conscious, give you the return to work slip you wanted. If
you come back in March, then I would reconsider giving you
the slip.” Dr. Parnello waited for Nick’s response.<br><br>

Nick swallowed hard. He was upset to think that
the doctor denied what he wanted. Tears were burning his
eyes, he couldn’t look up at Dr. Parnello, he kept his eyes
lowered. “Um, okay, thanks.” Nick got up quickly and left
the office. <br><br>

Stopping in the hallway, Nick pulled out a vial of
his vallium. His hands were shaking so much that he had
trouble opening the top. He managed to finally get it
opened and put two pills on his tongue and drank water from
the drinking fountain.<br><br>

As Nick walked across the parking lot towards his
car, his mind was running through the options of what to do
now to obtain a return to work permit. He knew that there
were 24 hour clinics almost in every city. He decided to
give one of those a try. He figured if he tried hard
enough, he could find a doctor that could be persuaded to
write a slip if the price were right.<br><br>

Nick drove around town looking for a phone booth
that would actually have a phone book still in it. After a
few minutes of driving he located one and stopped at it. He
pulled the book out and immediately went to the yellow pages
and tried to find a physician that would help him get the
slip he so desperately needed.<br><br>

He located a name in the book of an office that
was on the west end of town. Nick decided it was worth a
try and drove to the location.<br><br>

As he pulled into the small parking lot, he was
wondering if this was such a good idea after all. He sat in
his car for a few minutes debating if this was the way he
wanted to go with this.<br><br>

Walking into the small, cramped office, Nick could
smell the rubbing alcohol that was in the air. The small
lobby was full of people. Nick could feel the eyes on his
back. He leaned close to the receptionist’s window.<br><br>

“Um,” Nick tried to get the receptionist’s
attention.<br><br>
She took a clipboard that had a sheet of paper on
it and pushed it toward Nick. “Just fill this out and
here’s a number, we will call you when it’s your turn.” The
receptionist never looked up.<br><br>

Nick took the clipboard and saw an empty chair in
the corner of the room. He walked through the people and
sat down and started to fill out the sheet. He skipped over
the phone number portion and put in the fan club address for
his home address. While he waited, he slid down in the
chair and read and re-read what he had written.<br><br>

Finally, the number was called and Nick wasted no
time in following the medical assistant towards the exam
room.<br><br>

As Nick handed the clipboard to her, she realized
her suspicions were confirmed. The medical assistant tried
to keep her composure.<br><br>

“Ah, um, what is the nature of your visit?” Her
voice was shaking as she spoke.<br><br>
“I’d like to talk to the doctor about a medical
issue.” Nick was trying to avoid telling her what he
needed.<br>br>

“I’m sorry, but I really have to know so that the
doctor can be prepared.” The assistant’s voice was still
shakey.<br><br>

Nick sighed. “Ah, I need to see about a return to
work slip.<br><br>

“Oh, yeah.” The assistant accidentally spoke her
thoughts outloud. Trying to cover her mistake she said, “I
see, yes, the doctor should be in to help you in a moment.
The assistant closed the door behind her.<br><br>

Nick sat in the chair and looked around the room.
The walls had posters about the different parts of the human
body. Just as Nick was getting into reading about the
“Amazing Shoulder,” the doctore entered the room with the
clipboard in his hand.<br><br>
“Hello, Mr. Carter, I am Dr. Sanchez. I see you
want a return to work permit. What do you do for a living?”
Dr. Sanchez barely looked up from the clipboard.<br><br>

Nick was starting to think to himself this was
gonna be a piece of cake, the doctor doesn’t know who I am.<br><br>

“I’m a singer.” Nick didn’t elaborate, he fiugred
less was more. <br><br>

“I see, and why would you want a return to work
permit to sing?” Dr. Sanchez questioned.<br><br>

“Well, my talent agent does, I was off because I
was sick this summer and he just wants all of the legal
bases covered, I guess.” Nick was trying to skirt the
issue.<br><br>

“And how are you feeling now?” Dr. Sanchez asked.<br><br>

“I feel great.” Nick replied. He watched as Dr.
Sanchez pulled out a prescription pad and started to write a
note on it.<br><br>

Nick could barely contain his excitement as the
doctor handed him the white slip of paper.<br><br>

“Thank you,” Nick made sure he didn’t say
anymore.<br><br>
“Stop and see the receptionist on your way out.”
Dr. Sanchez said as he walked out the door.<br><br>

Nick stopped at the receptionist desk and was more
than happy to pay the $75 fee. Grasping the slip of paper,
he walked out the door and jumped into his car and sped out
of the parking lot. He couldn’t wait to see his manager and
hand him the work release permit. <br><br>

Nick picked up his cell phone and dialed the
number to his manager.<br><br>

“Jack here.” The agent picked the phone up after
two rings.<br><br>

“Hey, Jack, it’s me, Nick, I got the slip you
wanted me to have.” Nick announced happily.<br><br>

“You do?” Jack sounded shocked. He was running
the improbability of Nick getting a permission slip through
his mind, there was no way Nick’s doctor would have gave him
a slip, he was not capable of working just yet. <br><br>

“Yeah, I got the slip in my hand, right here,
signed and sealed, just have to deliver this puppy.” Nick
right fron and rear tire drove off the shoulder of the road
when he looked at the paper. “Whoa, that was bad.” Nick
thought outloud as he eased the vehicle back onto the road.<br><br>

“Got a problem, Nick?” The agent heard the
commotion that was going on.<br><br>

“Ah, no, I got this under control now, don’t worry
about it.” Nick said quickly. He didn’t admit to Jack that
it had scared him when he went off the road.<br><br>

Nick was already pulling into the parking lot and he was
still on the cellphone with Jack.<br><br>

“Hey, Jack, I’m coming in. Be right there.” Nick
hung the phone up.” He got out of the car and ran up the
stairs to the office buildings.<br><br>

Nick got on the elevator and took it to the office
on the fourth floor. He walked into the office and the
secretary smiled at Nick. <br><br>

“I need to see Jack and he knows I am coming here,
I just hung up with him two minutes ago.” Nick explained.<br><br>

The receptionist picked her phone up and buzzed
Jacks office. “Hi, Nick Carter is here to see you. Oh,
okay, I’ll tell him.” The receptionist hung the phone up.<br><br>
“Jack will be out in a few minutes to get you.
Have a seat while you are waiting, okay?” The receptionist
smiled at Nick.<br><br>

Nick reluctantly sat down on the couch and looked
down at the magazines on the coffee table. It was littered
with Variety and Entertainment and People magazines. He
decided not to even pick up a magazine to read, he was
afraid of what he would find inside them.<br><br>

Jack opened the outer door to his office. “Hi,
Nick, come on in.” <br><br>

Nick pulled himself up off the low couch and
follwed Jack into the room.<br><br>

“So you got a medical release slip?” Jack didn’t
waste anytime asking any questions.<br><br>

“Yup, have it right here.” Nick said as he pulled
the folded form out of his pocket.<br><br>

Jack opened it up and looked at it. “Is this from
your family physician?”<br><br>

Nick started to worry, here now Jack was starting
to scrutinize the slip. “Um, yeah.”<br><br>

“Nick, your family physician?” Jack had already
detected a descrepancy with the name on the note.<br><br>
“Well, I am switching doctors.” Nick lied to
Jack, but he was so desperate he didn’t care.<br><br>

“Oh, so now your family physician is Urgent
Medical Care Complex?” Jack knew right away that this was
just a 24 walk in clinc.<br><br>

“Yes it is.” Nick defended the paper.<br><br>

“Um, what does Dr. Parnello think about all of
this?” Jack asked Nick as he leaned back into his chair.<br><br>

“I don’t care what....hey, you asked for a return
to work slip, I gave you one, now, are we gonna start up
again or what?” Nick was getting angry.<br><br>

Jack leaned forward. “I called Dr. Parnello this
morning and he told me he saw you and told you no way in
hell were you going back on tour until sometime this spring.
He said you would be foolish to do otherwise. This doctor
Sanchez had no clue about you and your medical history, he
just wrote this out and accepted the fees. No, Nick, I
can’t with a clear conscious allow you to go ontour.”<br><br>

Nick couldn’t believe what he was hearing from
Jack. He started to grow angrier by the minute. He grabbed
the slip out of Jack’s hands. When Nick stood up, the chair
he was sitting in toppled onto the floor backwards.<br><br>

“Okay, fine, but you want to know something else
Jack? You are so fired, I am quitting you. I am through
with you.” Nick stared him down in the eyes when he spoke.<br><br>

“Nick, you signed a contract with me, you can’t
fire me.” Jack countered.<br><br>
“Well, sue me then, I am done with your ass.”
Nick strode out the room and out of the office.<br><br>
<br><br>
Chapter 39 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Forty</h1>


<br><br>
Nick worked very hard to practice the dance moves and keep
up with the rest of the guys. It was hard, but he had to
keep up with them, Nick had convinced himself that he was in
perfect health despite what Dr. Parnello had told him and he
was just not going to let any negative comments get him
down.<br><br>

Jess was not very pleased that Nick had thrown out
all of his doctor’s advice to him and went ahead and signed
to do the new tour. The rest of the guys did not know that
Nick’s health was in jeopardy, and Jess, as much as she
wanted to, could not tell any of them what was going on with
Nick. She remained ever watchful of him though and she knew
she was almost being too overprotective of him, but she
could not help it.<br><br>

She watched how Nick struggled to do dance steps
that were much easier for him to do this past spring. With
his being sick all summer long and the stuff that went on
this fall, he had put on a little weight and it was
difficult for him to do some of the moves that were
physical. He forced himself to do them and Jess could see
that his face was beet red and his hair was soaked with
sweat. When it came time for Nick to sing his part, his
voice was winded. She knew that Nick was not pleased with
his performance, but she also knew that Nick was going to
keep going no matter what it involved.<br><br>

“Wait, wait, hold on a sec.” AJ waived his hands
in the air. He was getting annoyed listening to Nick
attempt singing.<br><br>

“Nicky, did you need to stop here? You, well, you
sound awful.” AJ looked Nick directly in the eyes.<br><br>

“No, I am fine.” Nick was still huffing and
puffing after they stopped.<br><br>

AJ picked up a towel and threw it at Nick, which
he caught as it hit him squarely in the chest. Nick wiped
his face off immediately.<br><br>

“Let’s go again, I don’t need to stop.” Nick
protested.<br><br>
AJ shrugged his shoulders and motioned to the band
to start up again by gesturing with his hand doing a slight
circular motion.<br><br>

Nick was trying his best not to get so winded, it
was something he mentally told himself he would have to work
on, do something with it. He was so shocked at how quickly
he was out of breath though. Maybe if I took some vallium
at break, I would be more relaxed and then I could do these
steps with more ease. Nick touched his front pocket where
he had put his prescription bottle. He was glad that he had
brought them along with him. He was desperate to try
anything at this point.<br><br>

Nick stopped in mid dance step which threw the
entire group off. “I am ready to stop for a five minute
break.” He annouced.<br><br>

AJ brushed past Nick without saying a word. Jess
could tell he was annoyed with Nick. Brian, Howie and Kevin
also walked past Nick each making conversation, with only
Brian smacking Nick in the shoulder as he walked past him.<br><br>

Nick excused himself to Jess and walked towards
the restrooms. He figured he could take the pills now and
they would kick in by the time the break was over. When
Nick got into the restroom, he pulled the vallium out of his
pocket and opened the bottle and poured out a handful of the
white pills but only taking two and shoving the rest of them
back into the bottle. With that done, he cupped the pills
in his hand and walked out towards the table that had
bottles of water on them. Nick’s eyes darted right and left
as he quickly slipped the pills into his mouth. He uncapped
the bottle of water and took a generous drink before he
capped it up again.<br><br>

“Nicky, my boy, I am so glad to see you trying to
make a go of this again. It’s great to have you back on the
stage.” Brian said as he tried to hug Nick.<br><br>

Nick’s response was spilling water on the front of
his grey tee shirt. “Oh, shit. I hate when I do this.”<br><br>

Brian laughed at Nick’s expense. “Take it easy
there, boy, it’s typical anyway, and besides you’re so full
of sweat anyway, it kind of blends in.”<br><br>

“Oh, yeah.” Nick smiled sheepishly.<br><br>

“Hey, Nick, don’t worry, the dancing will get
easier and you know it, it’s just been awhile since you have
done this. Don’t let yourself get down on this, okay?”
Brian tried to encourage Nick.<br><br>
“I know that Brian, the extra weight didn’t help
me much either. But I will be fine.” Nick tried to think
with a positive outlook.<br><br>

“Thats the spirit.” Brian winked at Nick as he
uncapped his water and took a huge gulp from it.<br><br>


Nick was definately starting to feel relaxed. He
knew this was the effect he was looking for, he figured if
he was limber enough the dancing would just come more easier
for him. Nick walked towards Jess. He came up from behind
and encircled her waist with his hands. He bent down and
kissed her gently on the side of her neck.<br><br>

Jess reached back with her hand and touched the
side of Nick’s face. “Hey, you must be feeling better, I
see.” <br><br>

“Yes I am, I could dance all night.” Nick
whispered quietly to Jess.<br><br>

“Good thing cause it looks like they are going to
start up again.” Jess observed.<br><br>

“Dammit.” Nick chuckled as he gave Jess another
quick kiss and then turned and walked back to where he
should be standing for the next song they were going to
sing. <br><br>

Jess walked to the side of the stage and down
stairs to a door that led to the audiorium seats. She went
a few rows back in the center aisle and sat down to watch
the guys practice. She only got to see them from offstage
so this was fun to watch.<br><br>

Jess was suprised when she saw the change in
Nick’s performance compared to what it was like before
break. “This must have been what he needed, a little rest.”
Jess thought to herself. Nick was performing at the same
intensity that he had before the accident.<br><br>
Even the guys noticed the improvement in Nick and
they complimented him on the good job he was doing. Nick was
happy that the pills helped him to achieved the energy he
needed to continue to perform.<br><br>

After a few hours of practice, they decided that
they had had enough. Nick stopped by the water table and
grabbed another bottle of water. He was extremely thirsty
after dancing nonstop for two hours. <br><br>

“Are you tired?” Jess asked Nick, she was
concerned because he was so sweatty and red faced.<br><br>

Nick gulped his water. He was tired, but he did
not want to admit it to Jess. “Naw, this is great! This is
what I have been waiting to do since June, I am pumped up
for this.” <br><br>

“Oh, you just look like you’re exhausted.” Jess
observed.<br><br>

Nick slammed his water bottle down on the table
which caused a chain reaction causing six bottles to topple
over. “I said I was fine, can you just leave it at that?”
Nick was becoming very angry with Jess and he stormed off
towards the bathrooms.<br><br>

Jess watched Nick walk off. She could tell by the
way he walked that he was upset with her. She decided to
sit down on the couch and wait for him to come back. Jess
glanced over at Brian to see if he caught Nick’s outburst.
Brian was putting clothes and a towel into his duffle bag.<br><br>

“Bri, I guess I will never learn my lesson not to
push Nick too far, huh?” Jess sighed.<br><br>

Brian smiled at Jess and shrugged his shoulders.
He didn’t really know what to say to Jessica, she would have
to learn Nick’s moods all on her own, like the rest of them
had.<br><br>
Once in the bathroom, Nick still felt tense and
uptight about Jessica’s remark. He needed to calm down, he
could feel his blood pressure rising. As he threw his hands
to his sides, he felt the prescription bottle in his right
hand pocket. Nick reached into the pocket and pulled the
tiny brown bottle out that had his vallium in it. His mind
searched to remember how many hours ago it was that he had
taken the last dose. The instructions on the bottle said
one to two every 6 hours as needed. It had only been 3
hours since he had taken the other two. Nick reasoned that
two more at this time would not hurt him one bit. He
spilled the contents of the bottle into his hand and picked
two pills out of the pile and scooped the rest back into the
bottle.<br><br>

Jess watched Nick come out of the bathroom. He
still looked quite upset to her, but she certainly wasn’t
going to bring that up with him for fear it would cause
another outburst. He walked over to the water table and
picked up the bottle of water he had been drinking out of.
He put the vallium into his mouth and took a gulp of water
to wash it down.<br><br>

“What cha taking?” Jess was curious when she saw
Nick put his hand to his mouth before he took a drink of
water.<br><br>

“Asprin, I have got a wicked headache.” Nick lied
to her.<br><br>

“Oh, I hope you’ll feel better soon, then.” Jess
smiled at Nick.<br><br>

Nick felt awful about lying to Jess now, but he
managed a weak smile to her.<br><br>

“I’ll be fine, and Jess, I’m really sorry for
blowing up at you a little while ago.” Nick fiddled with
the bottle cap as he appologized to Jessica.<br><br>

“Hey, forget it, I have.” Jess said as she
watched Nick play with the cap.<br><br>

“See you tomorrow, Nick?” Brian said as he picked
his bag up and pulled his car keys out of his pocket.<br><br>
“Yeah, sure thing, at 10 again, right?” Nick was
confirming the time of the rehearsal.<br><br>

“Yup, 10 a.m. See you guys later.” Brian smiled
and walked out the door.<br><br>

Nick started to feel sleepy. “Jess, could you
drive back to the house, I am feeling really tired right
now.” <br><br>

“Sure, honey.” Jess helped Nick pack up his
clothes and towel. Nick grabbed another bottle of water
before they walked out of the studio.<br><br>

Once they got out into the parking lot, Jess hit
the button to unlock all of the doors on the durango. Nick
got into the passenger side and adjusted his seat so it
leaned as far back as possible. He took his hat and put it
over his face.<br><br>

“Boy, you are beat, huh?” Jess said as she got
into the car and looked over at Nick.<br><br>

Nick just groaned, he didn’t have the energy to
talk. He drifted off to sleep before Jess had even pulled
out of the driveway.<br><br>
Chapter 40 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Forty-One</h1>

<br><br>
Jessica pulled into the driveway at Nick’s house.
She told him last night that she would be over there by 9:30
to go with him to the rehearsal studio. The house looked
quiet to her and she used her housekeys to enter into the
door off the garage. Once inside, Jess could hear Nick’s
radio and alarm blaring from the bedroom. Putting her purse
on the counter, she knew that she would have to wake Nick up
so that he could get ready quickly.<br><br>

Walking into the bedroom, she found Nick sprawled
out ontop of the waterbed, face down, arms spread out to the
side. She walked over to the alarm and turned it off.
“Nick, time to get up, you’re running late again.” Jess
said as she went to open the drapes. She looked over at
Nick after she opened the drapes up and saw that he had not
moved or attempted to move. She leaned over and pushed his
back. “Come on, get up! Brian is gonna kill you!” Jess
spoke a little louder to try and stimulate Nick into waking
up.<br><br>


There was still no response from Nick. Jess was
starting to panic. She pushed on Nick’s body harder and
rolled him over in the bed. He laid there with his mouth
open. Jess had no other choice but to slap Nick’s face.
“Nick! Wake up!” Nick still did not wake up for her, his
only response was a loud snore. <br><br>

“Think, Jess, think, what can I do here?” Jess was
searching her mind to think of ways to stimulate Nick into
waking up for her. He was so tall and big and she was so
slight, it was hard to do anything for him. She went into
the bathroom and got a glass of ice cold water and walked
into the bedroom towards the bed. She poured the water onto
Nick’s face. <br><br>
Nick coughed and sputtered when the cold water hit
his face. Blinking, he started to grasp his surroundings
and then realizing that someone had poured icewater onto his
face, he instantly became angry.<br><br>

“What the hell did you do that for?” Nick angrily
asked Jessica.<br><br>

“I did that because I couldn’t wake you up for
some damn reason, you tell me what the hell else I was
supposed to do for you. It’s 9:45 and you are supposed to
be walking into rehearsal in 15 minutes.” Jess defended her
actions to Nick.<br><br>

Upon hearing that it was already 9:45, Nick swore
and got out of bed and grabbed a pair of jeans and a tee
shirt and hurriedly got dressed. He quickly brushed his
teeth and raked a comb through his blond hair. He didn’t
have time to shave or grab a bite to eat.<br><br>

“Come on, lets go, I’ll call Brian on the way in
and let him know that we are on our way.” Nick said as he
ran past Jess grabbing his wallet and ballcap and car keys.<br><br>

Jess followed Nick out the garage door and got
into the durango and was barely buckled in when he roared
out of the driveway.<br><br>

“Hey, slow it down, you are already late, it’s
not gonna make any difference, and besides you are more
valuable to them alive than dead.” Jess snapped at Nick.
“By the way, why did I have such a hard time getting you
awake this morning?” Jess asked hoping Nick would answer
her question.<br><br>

“I dunno, I was really beat last night, I guess
I was out of it this morning for some reason.” Nick lied to
Jess. He was not about to admit to her that he had taken
some sleeping pills last night to help himself relax. He
made a mental note to be a little more cautious the next
time he took them. “Do me a favor, call Brian and let him
know we will be there in about 10 minutes.” Nick
concentraited on his driving, he was trying to avoid anymore
questions from Jess.<br><br>

“Okay.” Jess answered as she picked up the cell
phone and started to dail Brian’s number.<br><br>

After she talked to Brian, Jess settled back into
the seat and looked out the window. She did not want to
make eye contact with Nick, as he seemed to be a little edgy
this morning. She did not want a repeat of what had
happened yesterday at the rehearsal.<br><br>

As Nick pulled into the parking lot, Jess noticed
that he was definately late. He parked the vehicle and
jumped out grabbing his duffle bag. Jess was barely out of
the vehicle when Nick hit the door lock and the auto alarm
buttons. <br><br>
“Hey, could you at least wait for me to get out
before you lock it up?” Jess sounded a little annoyed when
she snapped at Nick.<br><br>

“Geeze, sorry!” Nick replied as he did a half
walk/run towards the door. He knew he was late and didn’t
want to listen to Brian’s comments when he walked in.<br><br>

Jess walked slowly behind Nick, she didn’t think
it was necessary for her to hurry into the building.<br><br>

Nick threw his gear down and walked onto the stage
where the rest of the guys had already gathered and were
getting ready to start rehearsing.<br><br>

“Way to go, Nick.” AJ called out sarcastically.<br><br>
Nick threw an angry glance over towards AJ. He hated the
way he was always riding on him for one thing or another.<br><br>

“Hey, I’m sorry, I overslept, I called Brian,
geeze.” Nick was starting to feel his face get hot from his
blood pressure rising. He was getting angry and he knew he
had to try and keep his emotions in check.<br><br>

“Come on, lets quit the bickering and get
started.” Kevin suggested quietly. He was always anxious
to get down to business.<br><br>

“Okay, could you just wait for one more minute, I
need to get a drink of water before we start.” Nick said as
he sprinted towards the barrel that was filled with water
bottles on ice. As Nick grabbed a waterbottle, he slipped
his hand into his front pocket and pulled the vial that
contained the vallium and pulled two out of the pile that
fell into his hand. Nick decided to take a third one,
figuring that it would further enhance his performance. He
quickly put the pills in his mouth and swallowed them before
Jessica could see him do anything.<br><br>

“There,” Nick thought to himself, “once these kick
in, I will be fine.” Nick walked back to the stage and took
his place in the line. AJ was glaring at his every move.
He seemed very annoyed with Nick for some reason this
morning. <br><br>
Nick returned a nasty look towards AJ. “What the
heck is your problem today?”<br><br>

“Nothing.” AJ looked away. He was not prepared
to confront Nick, at least just yet anyway. AJ was starting
to suspect something wasn’t quite right with Nick, but he
was actually sure of what it was.<br><br>

“Come on, can we please just start the
rehearsals?” Kevin begged.<br><br>

Without saying a word, Nick bowed forward and got
into the position for the beginning of the song there were
to practice. Soon, the rest of them followed Nick’s lead.<br><br>

Jess ran down to the seats so she could get the
point of view that the fans would during a performance. The
music was cued up and the guys started dancing. <br><br>

Nick felt as if he was floating on air, his moves
seemed effortless. “Man, this is the best I’ve felt in a
long time.” Nick thought to himself.<BR><BR>

Jess noticed that Nick was dancing better than
ever. His moves were so smooth, he made dancing look as
easy as walking. <BR><BR>

When it came time for a spin, Nick, became dizzy
and fell off balance.<br><br>

“Nick, quit shitting around, I am getting tired of
stopping for you.” AJ sputtered.<br><br>
Nick shot back angrily, “Geesh, I’m sorry, god AJ,
quit riding me, okay? Just back off.”<br><br>

AJ threw his hands up in the air and walked
offstage. The rest of them decided it was a good time to
break.<br><br>

As they sat down to rest, their promotional
manager approached them with a clip board.<br><br>

“Okay, guys, few items we need to clear up here.
You need to be here tomorrow night no later than 6:00 p.m.
for the concert. We need to take care of people with the
backstage passes before the show, we are trying something
new here. Nick, you need to give me confirmation on your
new management situation here. Any questions about
tomorrow?”<br><br>

All the guys shook their heads no.

“Do you think you are ready for this Nick?” The
manager asked.<br><br>
“Of course I am.” Nick stated defensively.<br><br>

“Okay, I was just checking. Okay, if any of you
guys need wardrobe alterations, please check with Missy and
she will take care of it. See you all tomorrow night at 6
then.”<br><br>
<center>
Chapter 41 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Forty-Two</h1>

<br><br>

“Well, Nick, you are getting what you were wishing for, I
just hope that everything will be okay.” Jess stated as she
watched Nick brush his hair and adjust his clothes for the
concert.<br><br>

Nick glanced over at Jess in the mirror. “You
worry too much, don’t be so silly.” <br><br>

“I can’t help it, I was there when the doctor told
you absolutely no concerts until next March, and here is it,
only December and you are going to go out there again. I
just can’t believe it.” Jess didn’t try to conceal her
worry in her voice.<br><br>

Nick turned and put his hands on her shoulders,
“Don’t worry, okay, I will be fine, trust me.”<br><br>

“I do Nick, but this is something you really don’t
have any control over at all. I am scared.” Jess sighed.<br><br>

Nick threw the hair brush down onto the table.
“Oh, come on Jess, don’t do this to me. I gotta go, we are
supposed to be in place in about three minutes and I am not
out there.” Nick kissed Jessica quickly on the cheek and
walked out the door.<br><br>

Once out in the hallway, Nick felt a wave a
dizziness overcome him. He put his hand to his head and took
a faltering step backwards. He shook his head and bent over
to bring the blood back up to his brain. As Nick slowly
stood up, he looked right and left to make sure no one saw
him do that. <br><br>

“There you are, where the hell have you been?” AJ
greeted Nick with a slap on the back.<br><br>
Nick smiled. “Jess held me up, sorry.” <br><br>

“So are you ready, now?” Brian asked.<br><br>

“Yeah, just a sec, I need to get a drink of
water.” Nick turned and darted towards the barrel with the
water bottles. He had managed to take his valium about 30
minutes ago, but he still felt tense. Nick took an extra
two pills out of his pocket and slipped them into his mouth
and washed them down quickly with a gulp of water. <br><br>

Nick ran back quickly to his place behind the
stage and waited with the rest of the guys for the opening
song to cue up.<br><br>

“Man, Nick, you sure make me nervous sometimes,”
Howie remarked quietly.<br><br>

“Sorry, it’s just a weird habit, I need to drink
when my throat is dry.” Nick shot back sarcastically.<br><br>

“Guys!” Kevin growled.<br><br>

Nick immediately stiffened up into postition and
the machines started billowing out the smoke and the special
effects were cued up. <br><br>

One by one, each of the guys took their turns
jumping out of the smoke onto the stage. Nick was fine when
he jumped out, only to notice that his headset wasn’t
working properly and the music he was to be hearing was not
playing in his ear at all. In fact, he noticed right away
that he missed his first cue for his part in a song.<br><br>
Brian gave Nick a funny look when he noticed that
Nick hadn’t started to sing when he was supposed to. Nick
pointed at his ear and yelled the words “not working, can’t
hear anything.” The words he was yelling were only
appearing to be mouthed because of the screaming from the
crowd.<br><br>

Nick threw his hands up in the air to stop the
band. AJ and Howie were dancing and weren’t paying
attention to Nick not singing. The band stopped playing,
but not at the same time, which finally stopped into an
eerie beat.<br><br>

Brian spoke into his headset. “Nick is having
technical difficulties with his mic.” Nick had already
started walking towards the side of the stage where the
sound technician was at.<br><br>

“Hey, there is no sound in my ear here.” Nick
said to him as he pulled the defective headset off.<br><br>

“Are you feeling okay, Nick? You look a little
redfaced.” The tech replied as he took the headset from
Nick.<br><br>

“Yeah, I’m fine, it’s probably just hot under the
lights.” Nick brushed the remark off.<br><br>

The tech handed Nick a new headset. “Try to go
easy on this one, okay?” <br><br>

“Yeah, sure thing.” Nick put it on and walked
towards the center stage again. “Hey! Can you guys hear me
okay?” Nick asked as he was walking towards Brian. The
response was a thunder of cheering. “That’s cool.” Nick
turned towards the band. “Hit a few notes, please.” The
band complied with a few bars of a song. “Alright! lets
take it from the top!”<br><br>

The band started playing Larger Than Life again
and the crowd erupted into cheers and applause. The guys
picked back up and started the choreography to the song.
Nick felt a little dizzy during some of the steps but
managed to conceal it.<br><br>

Once the song was finished, the band immediately
broke into playing Quit Playing Games. Nick was starting to
feel a little tired and was shocked to think he felt that
way and it was only the second set in the concert. He felt
like he could lay down and go to sleep.<br><br>
After the song ended, it was time for each of the
guys to introduce themselves to the audience. Nick, as
usual, was last and by the time they got to him, he was
breathing quite heavily.<br><br>

“Hi, I’m Nick,” he paused to catch his breath. He
usually went on talking about where they were or made some
small joke, but he felt he couldn’t do it.<br><br>

Brian gave Nick an odd look. He leaned over to
him and covering his mike, whispered, “Are you feeling
okay?” <br><br>

“Yeah I’m fine, okay?” Nick growled back, he
didn’t bother covering his microphone.<br><br>

“You look like you’re gonna get sick, that’s all.”
Brian still had his hand cupped over his microphone.<br><br>

Nick said the line that was usually meant for AJ
after they were done with their complimentary introductions.<br><br>
“Are you guys ready to rock Tampa?” Nick shouted
into his mike.<br><br>

The crowd responded with a thunderous ovation.
The band started up the next set with Everybody. It was
going to be a very strenuous number and Nick took a deep
breath because he knew what he would be up against with the
physical moves. <br><br>

Brian kept watching Nick out the corner of his
eye. He could tell that something was off with him as his
face was beet red and he was sweating like he had been
running a race for his life and normally Nick didn’t look
that bad.<br><br>

A couple of times, Nick turned and appeared to
Brian to be way off balance. He thought he would fall at
any time. Nick seemed to keep up the dancing pace along
with the rest of the group. But there was just something
about Nick that wasn’t right and Brian was going to try his
best to figure out what it was.<br><br>

Finally after a series of fast songs, Howie’s solo
was coming on and the rest of the guys got to go backstage
and take a quick rest before going on. Nick practically
collapsed onto the couch in the backstage area.<br><br>

“I don’t feel right,” Nick said breathlessly as
he held his chest.<br><br>

Unfortunately, with all of the screaming going on
and the music blasting away, none of the guys heard Nick’s
complaint. <br><br>

“Hey, Nicky, you gotta go and change for the next
set, what the hell are you doing?” AJ hissed at him.<br><br>

Nick rolled off the couch onto the floor and
dragged himself up using the couch. It seemed like his room
was hours away instead of a few quick footsteps away.<br><br>

“Nick?” Brian called out to him. Nick kept going
into his dressing room and closed the door behind him. “Is
it just me, or does Nick look sick?” Brian asked AJ.<br><br>

“Well, he don’t look like he feels very well, his
face is as red as I have ever seen it. I think he knew he
bit off more than he could chew doing this concert and he is
not gonna say anything to anyone of us. I’ll keep an eye on
him too while we’re out there.” AJ replied.<br><br>
“Well, he better hurry up, he should be doing his
solo in about 10 more minutes.” Brian said as he left to go
out to do his solo and brushed past Howie coming in
offstage.<br><br>

In his dressing room, Nick caught a glimpse of his
reflection in the mirror. His face was bright red and his
hair was drenched in sweat. Nick grabbed a towel and soaked
it in cold water. He put the towel to his face and sat back
in his seat. Nick felt his heart racing, it almost felt
like it would explode out of his chest. He was gasping
every breath he took in and it was feeling like he wasn’t
getting enough oxygen with the air he was breathing. Nick
threw the towel over the back of his head and neck. He bent
over in the chair hoping this would help him breathe better
and get rid of the dizziness he was feeling.<br><br>

A knock on the dressing room door told Nick he was
to be ready to go out for his solo in two minutes. He
hadn’t even changed his wardrobe yet. Nick slowly got out
of his chair and decided he was going to go out there
dressed the way he was, he didn’t feel like he could change
his clothes if he wanted to. <br><br>

Nick slowly opened the door and walked out of the
room. AJ was watching Nick from across the room and was
puzzled when it looked to him as if Nick was staggering like
he was drunk. Before AJ could get to Nick, he was already
out onstage.<br><br>

“Shit! Something’s definately not right with the
boy!” AJ yelled exasperated.<br><br>

Nick laughed into his headset. The band was
playing I Need You Tonight and Nick had missed his cue
twice. “S-s-sorry a-b-bout that.” Nick stammered. His
speech was sounding slurred. Nick bent over as if to catch
his breath. He was getting scared at how weird he was
starting to feel. He was dangerously close to the edge of
the stage. Fans were reaching out to Nick for him to touch
their hands. <br><br>

Nick looked off to the side of the stage and saw
AJ and Brian rushing up towards him with a look of worry on
their faces. Nick blacked out and fell off the stage onto
the floor.<br><br>

Suddenly there was complete silence in the
auditorium. Panicked fans were crowding Nick. AJ and
Brian’s presence didn’t make the matters any better. Brian
started yelling at the fans to stand back so Nick could get
some air. There was a press of the excited fans, that it
shoved Brian and AJ into the side of the stage. Brian
couldn’t catch his breath because of the crowd surge. The
security was trying to contain the crowd. People were
stepping on Nick and pushing AJ and Brian harder and harder.
Brian suddenly slumped to the floor as he became
unconscious.<br><br>

As the panic was starting to intensify, Howie,
Kevin and Jessica could only stand offstage watching in
horror. They were helpless in the situation and were
praying that this would end. Jess couldn’t stand there
anymore, she ran to the side of the stage where Nick had
fallen and was hoping to help by dragging one of the guys
onto the stage out of harms way. Kevin and Howie realized
what Jess was trying to do and they ran to her side. <br><br>

A muscular security guard pulled Brian’s lifeless
body up out of the sea of fans and Kev and Howie grabbed him
and pulled him onto the stage. Next, the guard got ahold of
AJ and he was hurt, but conscious. The guard hoisted AJ up
towards Kevin, and Kevin dragged AJ to safety. <br><br>

The guard was frantically looking for Nick. He
was starting to push girls back hard and some of them fell
down onto the floor. People were stepping on Nick, he was
getting trampled.<br><br>
Jess was so worried about Nick, she didn’t notice
that the paramedics were attending to Brian by performing
CPR on him. Finally, what seemed to take forever, a guard
grabbed Nick by his arms and pulled on him and took his limp
body and placed him onto the stage. Another group of
paramedics started immediate attention to Nick.<br><br>

It was then that Jess realized that Brian was in
critical condition also. She cupped her hand over her mouth
to supress the scream she could feel rising in her throat.<br><br>

Brian’s lips were blue and his eyes were open and
staring straight at the ceiling. Nick didn’t appear any
better. He was cut and bleeding from the fall and bruised
from all of the people stepping on him. The paramedics had
ripped his shirt open and were placing heart devices to his
chest. When they turned the machine on, Jessica could feel
her heart sink when the bumpy rythmn that should be on the
monitor was nothing but a flat green line.<br><br>

“They have to have this thing not hooked up
right.” Jess thought to herself. She watched in horror as
they pulled shock paddles out of a box and hooked them up to
a power charger. As they placed them onto Nick’s chest, and
zapped him with the voltage, his body arched in reflex from
the shock. The crowd screamed as they witnessed the drama
unfold. Jess looked at the monitor anticipating Nick’s
heart to respond to the shock. She was disappointed when it
was still a flat line.<br><br>

“Dammit, Nick, don’t do this to me.” Jess yelled
at him. <br><br>

The paramedics tried to start his heart a second
time, with the same results as the first. Finally, on the
third try, Nick’s heart jumped to life. They had tubes
already placed down his throat and were manually giving him
oxygen.<br><br>

Jess looked over towards where Brian laid. They
had an oxygen mask on him, but they were no longer
performing cpr. They had an IV going and Brian was still
unconscious but appeared to be alive. <br><br>

Jess looked at AJ. He was being attended to by
two paramedics and it looked as if his arm was in a splint.<br><br>

The crowd was silent. You could hear people
crying and some where screaming, “No, no.” <br><br>

The paramedics came back with a stretcher and Nick
was the first one to leave the auditorium. Jessica was told
that she could ride along with Nick in the ambulance. <br><br>
Chapter 42 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Forty-three</h1>

<br><br>
The ambulance ride seem to take forever to get there. Nick
was the first one to leave the auditorium followed by
Brian’s ambulance. Jess felt sick to her stomach as she
looked over at Nick. He had all of the medical aparatus
hooked up to him, the monitors, they were manually giving
him oxygen, forcing air into his lungs. <BR><BR>

A paramedic lifted one of Nick’s eyelids and shone
a penlight into the eye. The stare of his eye was as if no
one was inside, it was like Nick was already gone. Jess
folded her arms tightly across her chest as if to protect
her from anything that would be bad that would happen to
Nick.<BR><BR>

In the other ambulance, a female paramedic was
keeping close watch over Brian’s vital signs. Jess could
hear the radio communication from the ambulance that Brian
was in.<BR><br>
“Tampa, I have a 25 year old male, involved in a
crowd panic situation, he was crushed against a wall. BP is
90/50, pulse is thready and 56, respirations are shallow and
16. It appears that the patient had prior heart surgery. We
have him on 100ml ox, Ringers Lactate 25ml and will stand by
for further instructions, our ETA is 3 minutes, over.”<br><br>

“10/4 Bravomary out.”<br><br>

Jess could feel chills go up her spine listening
to Brian’s vital signs. The voice that was communicating
sounded panicked to her for some reason. She dismissed the
thoughts thinking that she was just looking for something
that wasn’t really happening. <br><br>

Nick’s paramedic picked up a dispatch phone.<br><br>

“Tampa Bay General this is Bravofour.”<br><br>

“Go ahead Bravofour.”<br><Br>

“Tampa, I have a male approximately 19, appears to
have lost consciousness and fell 8 feet and was stepped on
during a crowd panic situation. BP is 148/92, pulse is is
85, respirations are labored and 45. We have him intubated
and ox 100ml, Ringers 25ml and will stand by for futher
instructions, our ETA is 1 minute, over.<br><br>

“10/4 Bravomary out.”<br><br>

Jess was looking for some sign from the paramedic
as to Nick’s condition, but got nothing. He just kept
working on Nick as the ambulance pulled into the bay and the
sirens made an eerie echo.<br><br>
The doors to the ambulance burst open and a
hospital crew was there to help pull the stretcher out. Jess
still couldn’t grasp the idea that this was happening now.<br><br>

As Jess was behind the stretcher trying to follow
Nick into the emergency room a nurse cut her off and took
her by the arm.<br><br>

“I need you to help me with the patient’s
registration and history information. Do you know the other
patient as well?” The nurse asked Jessica quietly.<br><br>

“Yes.” Jess didn’t take her eyes off of Nick’s
stretcher. Brian’s was pushed past her next. She looked at
him and saw that he was still unconscious as well.<br><br>
“Follow me, I need you to help me with this, then,
please.” The nurse led Jessica to a room and softly closed
the door.<br><br>
Kevin and Howie arrived at the hospital only to be
directed to a small private lounge off from the emergency
department. AJ was brought in last and was taken to a room
in the emergency department.<br><br>

Howie paced back and forth in the small waiting
room. “God, how I hate this waiting. I wish we could find
out something, anything.”<br><br>

“Calm down, Howie, this is not going to help
matters any with you getting upset over this.” Kevin said
quietly.<br><br>

Both Nick and Brian were each in a Trauma Room
being worked on by a team of doctors and nurses. <br><br>

When Jess was finished with the registration for
both Brian and Nick, she was taken to the room where Kevin
and Howie were waiting. Jess hugged both of them and then
started crying.<br><br>
“Jess, they will be okay, think positively.” Kevin
said as he held her tighter.<br><br>

“What next, now Brian is laying there hurt too.”
Jess sobbed.<br><br>

“They will be getting the best possible care. We
will be finding out about their conditions soon, I hope.”
Kevin said in a calm voice.<br><br>

A young doctor appeared in the doorway. “Are you
family of Mr. Littrell’s?” <br><br>

Kevin and Howie both stood up. Kevin answered the
doctor stating they were family.<br><br>

The doctor entered the room and closed the door
behind him. As he was sitting down, he started to speak.<br><br>

“Brian has some injuries that happened when he was
crushed against the stage. He has a concussion, three
fractured ribs and tests indicate that he has some internal
bleeding which is from a ruptured spleen. He is being
prepped for surgery right now.”<br><br>

Jess gasped when she heard the word internal
bleeding. She knew how serious the situation was.<br><br>

“Can we see him, and how is Nick?” Jess asked.<br><br>
“I am not on Nick’s case, so I’m sorry I can’t
answer any questions regarding his condition. You can go in
and see Brian, but only for a few minutes,” the doctor said
as he stood up.<br><br>

Kevin, Howie and Jess followed the doctor into
Trauma room 4. As they walked past the other trauma room
where Nick was, Jess strained to see if she could see
anything at all. All she could see was hospital staff
working around Nick and she could hear all of the equipment
beeping and buzzing.<br><br>

When they reached Brian’s room, Jess felt her
knees lock. She was afraid to take another step. She
didn’t want to see Brian laying on a hospital stretcher.
Kevin took her by the arm and guided her into the room. Jess
scanned the trauma room before her eyes fell upon Brian’s
face. He was hooked up to a heart monitor, which kept a
steady rythmn and he had oxygen tubing and an assortment of
IV’s hung on a pole next to his bed. Brian looked like he
was sleeping and other than the color of his face being so
pale, Jess would have never guessed anything that serious
was wrong with him.<br><br>

Jess reached out to touch Brian’s free hand. She
put her hand ontop of his and leaned near his face. “Brian,
we are praying for you, please get better, we need you.”
Jess’s voice broke as she spoke. Tears slipped off her
cheeks and fell onto Brian’s. As Jess wiped the tear off of
his cheek, she appologized to him. “I’m sorry, I didn’t have
to shower you.”<br><br>

Kevin and Howie didn’t speak to Brian at all.
They just approached his bed and touched his shoulder. Jess
looked up at Kevin. Kevin nodded slowly, he knew that Jess
couldn’t take seeing Brian this way and wanted to leave the
room. They walked back into the private room to wait and
find out about Nick’s condition.<br><br>

The minutes seemed to take forever.<br><br>

“God, what is taking them so long with Nick, I am
getting scared.” Jess sighed. She paced the floor in the
tiny waiting room.<br><br>

Just as Kevin was about to answer Jess, a young
woman appeared in the doorway.<br><br>

“I am Doctor Maddenly, are you family of Mr.
Carter’s?” The woman waited for a reply before she
continued.<br><br>

“Yes, we are his family.” Jess said softly.<br><br>
The doctor entered the room and closed the door
behind her. “I am one of the trauma doctors assigned to his
case. I know that he has been in and out of the hospital
since June, is this correct?” Dr. Maddenly asked as she sat
down.<br><br>

“Yes, Nick was in a car accident in June.” Jess
wasn’t sure where the doctor was going with this.<br><br>

“And he has been under a doctor’s care since that
time?” The doctor continued.<br><br>

“Yes.” Jessica answered. She was starting to
wonder where all of these questions were leading up to.<br><br>

“What was Nick taking valium for?” The doctor
asked.<br><br>

“Valium? It was prescribed for him after he
collapsed onstage in November, I guess it was for him to
relax, why?” Jess was starting to feel nervous about that
question.<br><br>

“Well, Nick’s bloodwork showed elevated levels of
valium. He evidentally took more than what his system could
handle which would explain him blacking out before he fell.
Now, we are working on pushing the drug out of his system.
The amount of valium Nick took caused his heart to stop. He
is in a coma from the overdose right now.”<br><br>

Jess put her hand over her mouth when she heard
the word coma come out of the doctor’s mouth. Her mind was
racing thinking back to June when Nick was in a coma after
the car accident.<br><br>

“He will be okay, he will come out of this,
right?” Jess panicked.<br><br>
“It’s too early to tell, we have to wait.” The
doctor replied.<br><br>

Jess looked towards Kevin. She burst into sobs.
“Kev, this can’t be really happening, no!”<br><br>

Kevin put his arm around Jess to comfort her.
“Can we see Nick?” <br><br>

“Yes, talk to Nick, maybe this will help him come
out of this. I am sorry there isn’t more I can tell you
about him.” The doctor spoke as she stood up to leave the
room. Howie, Kevin and Jess followed her out of the room.<br><br>

Jess couldn’t believe that she was going through
the same steps like she did last June. Nick was laying so
still on the hospital bed, machines and IV’s surrounding his
bed. Jess bent down and kissed Nick’s forehead. There
wasn’t a response from him. The monitor kept it’s steady
pace.<br><br>

“Nick, why do you do this to me? I can’t keep
going on like this.” Jess tearfully spoke.<br><br>

She looked at his face for some type of
acknowledgement. His forehead had a bandage covering the
cut that he got when he fell. His left cheek looked bruised
also. Nick just laid there, appearing to be asleep. Jess
stroked his blond hair back. “Nick, just get better,
please?”<br><br>

Jess had to walk out of the room, she was so upset
at looking at Nick she didn’t want to start to cry, she was
afraid that she wouldn’t be able to stop.<br><br>

Once out in the hallway, Jess looked across and
noticed that she was standing outside of AJ’s room. AJ was
laying back on the stretcher. Jess walked up to the door
and softly knocked. <br><br>
“AJ? It’s me, Jess, can I come in?” Jess asked
quietly.<br><br>

“Yeah.” AJ answered quietly, he had his good arm
laying across his face.<br><br>

“How are you doing?” Jess asked as she got closer
to his bed.<br><br>

“Crappy, this sucks, man.” AJ’s voice was quiet.
Jess could tell he was in pain.<br><br>

“How’s the arm?” Jess was afraid to ask.<br><br>

“Broke in two places. They are consulting with a
bone doc to see if they need to fix it. God, I hope to hell
not. I hate knives.” AJ sighed.<br><br>

“AJ, they will do what is best for you, just calm
down.” Jess said as she touched his shoulder.<br><br>

“How’s Brian and Nick?” AJ asked.<br><br>

Jess wanted to avoid that question entirely. “Um,
I don’t know yet.”<br><br>
AJ turned his head and looked at Jess directly
into her eyes. “You do too know, tell me, please!”<br><br>

“Oh, AJ....” Jess’s voice trailed off. “Brian is
in having surgery right now and Nick, Nick is in a coma.”<br><br>

“Shit, how the hell did this happen? All this
just from Nicky falling offstage? Why is Brian having
surgery?” AJ was visibly growing upset.<br><br>

“His doctor said he has a ruptured spleen and some
internal bleeding.” Jess replied.<br><br>

“Dammit. He is gonna be okay right?” AJ asked.<br><br>

Jess noticed AJ’s heart rate rising on the montior
they had him hooked up to. “Calm down AJ! They seemed to
be optimistic.”<br><br>

“Yeah, well what about Nick, how come he is in a
coma?” AJ pressed for more answers.<br><br>

“Well, they said his blood tests show that he had
a significant amount of valium in his blood. Almost too
much and that is what caused him to black out in the first
place and fall off the stage.”<br><br>

“That son of a bitch, I knew he was doing
something he wasn’t supposed to, I just knew it. I caught
him sneeking something the other day at rehearsal and then
he was really relaxed after break. I should have confronted
him then.” AJ was growing more adjitated.<br><br>
“AJ, there was nothing that would have clued you
into this type of thing happening. Don’t go beating
yourself up over this now.” Jessica rubbed his shoulder as
she spoke.<br><br>

A doctor appeared in the doorway. <br><br>

“Hi, Mr. McLean, I am Dr. Swans, the orthopaedic
surgeon on call. I have looked over the films of your
fracture on your humerous and the radius and I’m afraid we
will have to do surgery to repair the break.” The doctor
was looking over AJ’s chart as he spoke.<br><br>

“Shit.” AJ didn’t say another word after that.<br><br>

“Plates in his arm?” Jess asked the doctor.<br><br>
“Yes, plates and screws, it is the only way to
repair the arm and minimize the damage.” <br><br>

“Shit.”<br><br>

“AJ, it will be okay, quit saying that.” Jess
tried to calm him down.<br><br>

“I will admit you to the hospital tonight, and
have you scheduled for surgery first thing in the morning.
You will have to stay inpatient for twenty-four to
forty-eight hour following surgery.” Dr. Swans told AJ.<br><br>

AJ closed his eyes and sighed deeply letting the
information the doctor just told him, sink in. He hated
hospitals and was scared to death of knives. AJ hated to
admit it, but even with all of the tattoos he had, he was a
baby when it came to needles and pain.<br><br>

“AJ, it will be okay, you are in good hands.”
Jessica tried to help him relax.<br><br>

“I know, it’s just that I’m really scared of
having something like this done, I mean, surgery and shit
like that scares the hell out of me.” AJ tried to put his
panic on hold.<br><br>

Jess simply touched his shoulder, trying to calm
him down. Her eyes wandered off towards the room where Nick laid, unconscious.
<br><br>
Chapter 43 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Forty-four</h1>
<br><br>
Jess sat and stared at the television, not really paying
attention to anything that was on. She looked up briefly
to see Kevin pacing the floor and over at Howie sitting in
the corner thumbing through a magazine. Each of them were
preoccupied with their own thoughts about their friends.<br><br>

A surgeon entered the small waiting room. “Are
you family of Mr. McLean’s?”<br><br>

Kevin turned and answered the doctor. “Yes, is he
okay? How did the surgery go?”<br><br>
“He is out of surgery, and it appears that
everything went well. We had a difficult time aligning the
bones in place, but the plates and screws are doing their
job.” The surgeon stated with confidence.<br><br>

“How long will AJ be staying?” Howie asked.<br><br>

“I would assume that he will be hospitalized for
48 hours, provided that everything is okay postoperative.”
The surgeon looked at his watch as he spoke.<br><br>

“When can we see him?” Jessica asked anxiously.<br><br>

“He is still in the recovery room and will be
moved to the floor in another hour or so. I will have them
notify you when he is moved.” The surgeon turned and walked
out of the room.<br><br>

“God, that’s good news to hear. At least AJ is out
of the woods. I am worrying about Brian though, with him in
ICU, and Nick too, I am scared.” Jess spoke quietly.<br><br>

“They will be fine, Jess, quit making yourself get
upset over this,” Kevin said as he put his arm around her.<br><br>

“I want to go see Nicky. I wonder if that nurse
is gone now.” Jess was upset about the nurse that was on
duty earlier. She refused to let her in to see Nick because
she was not immediate family. Jess had to resign herself to
standing in the hallway and barely getting a glimpse of Nick
from there.<br><br>

“Would you like me to check and see if that nurse
is still there? I will go and see if I can get you in to see
Nick.” Howie said as he left the room.<br><br>
Jess glanced down at the table and looked briefly
at the magazines that laid on it. Her eyes briefly stopped
at a picture of the group. It struck her as funny that she
would always come across a picture of Nick or the group when
she was at the hospital.<br><br>

After a few minutes, Howie came back into the
room, he was smiling. “Good news, the nurse is gone. I
spoke with the head nurse in ICU and explained the situation
to her and she agreed that you should be able to come and go
to Nick as you pleased. You don’t have to worry about that
nurse telling you no ever again.”<br><br>

“Oh, god, that is good! I want to go see Nick
now.” Jess said as she stood up and hugged Howie.<br><br>

“Would you like me to take you up there?” Howie
asked.<br><br>

“Oh, thanks, I would like that.” Jess replied.<br><br>
Kevin and Howie walked with Jessica towards the
elevators and quietly waited for the elevator to arrive.
The lobby was busy and people started to gather by the
elevator with them. There were a few young girls in the
group of people and they immediately recognized Howie and
Kevin. Both men were relieved when the girls only whispered
quietly to one another and didn’t ask them for an autograph.<br><br>

When the elevator finally arrived, they waited as
it stopped on each floor until it finally stopped on the
fourth floor for them to get off.<br><br>

Jessica took a deep breath outside of Nick’s room
before she entered. She felt her stomach tighten in knots as
she walked into the room. There were numerous IV’s hanging
from a pole next to Nick’s bed. A heart monitor kept it’s
steady rhythm and an oxgen monitor kept a pulse. Nick laid
quietly in the bed, his face was pale. Jess softly touched
his cheek, hoping that he would open his eyes in response.
His skin felt cool to the touch and Jess could feel the
tears well up in her eyes as she looked at Nick.<br><br>

“Hi babe, how are you this morning?” Jess asked
Nick as if he would be responding to her question. “AJ’s
surgery went fine and they said he will be in the hospital
for another couple of days. I have been praying for you to
get better. I wish you would wake up and tell me that you
are fine. Please, Nick, can you wake up?” Jess’s voice
trailed off as it was filling with emotion. She felt
Howie’s hand on her shoulder.<br><br>

Jessica turned to Howie and started to cry. Howie
held her tightly and kept whispering “Shh.” It made Jess cry
even more.<br><br>

“This just isn’t fair. Why does this stuff have
to happen to Nick?” Jess cried out. “I can’t accept this
any longer.”<br><br>

“Jess, Nick will be fine, he is just resting now.
We have to believe that everything will be alright.” Kevin
reasoned.<br><br>

“No, no he’s not alright, he’s in a coma for
christsake. I want him to talk to me, I want him to wake up
and get angry. <br><br>

“Jess, these things take time. They are working
on getting the meds washed out of his system. The doctor
said it would be a few days before Nick would wake up and
it’s only been one day, you have to just wait it out.” Kevin
said as he put a hand on her shoulder.<br><br>
Jessica sighed as she looked at Nick laying so
still. “God, how I want this whole nightmarish year to be
overwith.” Jess thought to herself.<br><br>

Jess pulled a chair up to the side of the bed. She
told Kevin and Howie that she was going to sit with Nick for
awhile and then would go to Brian’s room later.<br><br>

Howie took the hint that Jess wanted to be alone
with Nick and grabbed Kevin’s arm and told him they should
go across the hall and check in on Brian.<br><br>

As the guys walked into Brian’s room, they found
Brian awake watching his nurse push medications through his
IV lines. He turned when they walked into the room and
managed a faint smile. <br><br>

“Hey, Brian, how are you feeling this morning?”
Kevin asked. <br><br>
“Good.” Brian answered softly. They could tell
his strength was gone from his body. He looked very pale
and tired. Brian licked his lips and had a puzzled look
cross his face, he managed to speak one word, “How?”<br><br>

Kevin realized that Brian could not remember what
happened that landed him in the hospital.<br><br>

“Oh, god, Brian, you don’t remember, do you?”
Howie asked.<br><br>

Brian shook his head no. He looked at both Kevin
and Howie to see if their faces could reveal if it was bad
news, all Brian could think of was a car accident and he
realized Nick was not in the room or Jessica. <br><br>

“Do you remember being onstage in Tampa last
night?” Kevin asked Brian.<br><br>

Brian thought for a few minutes and then again
shook his head no.<br><br>

“Well, we were starting our tour again and I guess
Nick wasn’t as ready as he thought he should have been. He
blacked out and fell offstage. You ran out and jumped into
the crowd to help him because he was being stepped on and
you got mixed up in the surge of the crowd and you were
slammed up against the stage. It knocked you out cold and
stopped your heart. They ended up having to do surgery to
fix your spleen, and they are hoping it can be saved,
otherwise they will have to go back in and take it.”<br><br>

Brian listened to Kevin and tried to comprehend
what he was telling him. He slowly spoke up, “Nick?”<br><br>

Kevin was hoping he wouldn’t ask him that question
since Nick was still in a coma from the narcotics he had
accidentally taken too much of.<br><br>

“Um, well, Nick is um---” Kevin was trying to
find the right words.<br><br>
Brian reached out and touched Kevin’s arm that
cause him to stop in mid sentance. <br><br>

“Just tell me.” Brian said quietly.<br><br>

Kevin swallowed. “Nick is in a coma.” He looked
at Brian’s face to see if it registered.<br><br>

Brian slowly closed his eyes. Tears slipped down
his cheeks. <br><br>

“But the doctors are optimistic that he will come
out of it in the next couple of days.” Howie added quickly.<br><br>
“Jess?” Brian slowly spoke.
<br><br>
“Jess is fine. She waited by the stage when this
happened. She’s pretty upset, but she’s okay. She is with
Nick across the hall.” Kevin said softly.<br><br>

Howie stood up. “I’m going to go get her, she
would want to see you, Brian.”<br><br>

Brian watched Howie leave the room. Brian closed
his eyes, the pain was starting to make him feel sick to his
stomach.<br><br>

“Brian, are you okay?” Kevin asked. He noticed
that Brian was still pretty pale, his color didn’t look good
at all.<br><br>
“My stomach hurts.” Brian replied, it was barely
audible.<br><br>

Jessica rushed into the room. She immediately went
up to the bed and kissed Brian. “God, Brian, I am so glad to
see you awake. How are you feeling?” Jess said as she looked
at his pale face. His eyes looked almost drained of color,
empty.<br><br>

“Ok.” Brian said quietly.<br><br>

Jessica knew that Brian was lying, but she didn’t
bother to correct him. She could see the pain in his eyes.<br><br>

“Aww, I wish I could help you feel better, Bri.”
Jess tried to be sympathetic. She watched a lab technician
enter the room with her cart.<br><br>

“Hi, my name is Melissa and I need to draw some
more lab work from you, can I see your ID bracelet?” The
girl was young, and very nervous. Jess and Kevin looked at
one another for a moment. They both knew that the girl knew
of Brian’s celebrity and was intimidated by it.<br><br>

Brian held his left arm out for her to read the
name tag and verify the numbers on the chart and vials. Once
she was finished, she placed a rubber strap around Brian’s
upper arm. <br><br>

Kevin and Jessica decided to make small talk with
Brian so that the tech wouldn’t feel uncomfortable with them
in the room. <br><br>

“So, um, Brian, I found one of those books you
were looking for the other day.” Kevin stumbled with the
words. <br><br>
“Did you get it?” Brian asked without any
enthusiasm in his voice.<br><br>

They all were watching the girl wash the site
where the blood was going to be drawn from.<br><br>

“Yeah, I picked up a copy for me too, it looked
pretty interesting, so I thought, what the hell.” Kevin
replied. Just as he finished, the girl stuck Brian with the
needle. Brian took a quick breath in and winced.<br><br>

“Oh, my god, I am so sorry, did I hurt you?”
Melissa asked, almost too loudly from being nervous.
<br><br>
“It’s okay.” Brian said nervously.<br><br>
The girl was starting to grow more nervous as she
saw that no blood was flowing into the tube like it should
have. She undid the rubber strap and there was still no
blood flowing out.<br><br>

“Brian, they drained you dry, dude.” Kevin
observed. <br><br>

Brian rolled his eyes at Kevin. He was too tired
to make a response.<br><br>

“I’m sorry, I think your vein rolled. I have to
try again, I’m really sorry.” The girl apologized as she
wrapped the band around Brian’s arm again.<br><br>

Just as she was starting to insert the needle into
Brian’s arm, an alarm sounded off from across the hall from
Nick’s room.<br><br>
“Code Blue, ICU nine, code blue ICU nine.”<br><br>

Jessica and Kevin jumped up and ran across the
hall leaving Brian lay and worry about what was happening.<br><br>

Jessica and Kevin stopped short in the doorway. Howie
was standing off to the corner in Nick’s room, his eyes
brimming with tears. A resident doctor was straddled across
Nick’s body doing CPR. Kevin and Jess were pushed out into
the hall by the doctors and nurses that were running in and
out of Nick’s room. A crash cart was pulled to the side of
Nick’s bed and the paddles were charged up. The resident
jumped off the bed and a doctor yelled clear and then
applied the paddles to Nick’s chest. Nick’s body arched up
in response to the shock and all eyes in the room focused on
the the monitor that had been showing a flat line. Nick’s
heart responded with unnatural wavy lines. The doctor took
the paddles to Nick’s chest again. This time the rhythm went
back into the proper position.<br><br>

Once Nick’s heart was back into fibrillation, the team
of doctors and nurses walked out of the room leaving only
Nick’s nurse checking his IV lines and monitors.<br><br>

Howie approached Kevin and Jess. “I was just sitting
next to Nick, kind of talking to him and all of a sudden,
alarms on his machines went off. The next thing I knew, a
whole bunch of doctors and nurses came running into the
room. They said he was gone. I got scared. They said he was
flat lined. Why is this happening?” Howie was still shaken
by the experience.<br><br>

Jess put her arms around Howie and held him in a tight
hug. Taking a deep breath, Jessica walked towards Nick and
put her hand on his hand. She pulled it back when she felt
the coolness of his skin. She then reached up and smoothed
back his blond hair. Jess stroked his hair, “Nick, you have
to try and wake up, we need you baby. Please, I don’t know
how much more of this I can take.” Jess tried to choke back
sobs as she spoke. She felt Kevin’s hand touch her shoulder.<BR><BR>

“God, Kev, he’s getting worse, not better! This isn’t
supposed to be happening to him, not Nick, not Brian. Oh my
god, Brian!” Jess looked out the door towards Brian’s room.
“He doesn’t know what’s gone on.” As Jess turned to leave
the room to tell Brian, Kevin put his hand on her shoulder.<br><br>

“Whoa, calm down Jess.” Kevin told her softly.<br><br>

Jess looked up at Kevin and then continued to walk out
of Nick’s room to Brian’s room. Howie and Kevin walked into
Brian’s room with her. When they entered his room, they
found Brian looking at them with a worried expression on his
face. <br><br>

“Nick was flat lining.” Howie stated simply.<br><br>
Brian’s mouth dropped open. He fully understood the
terms concerning Nick’s heart.<br><br>

“They got him back, he’s okay.” Kevin quickly offered.<br><br>

“My god, there’s more wrong with Nick than what you’re
telling me.” Brian said with an angry tone in his voice.
“Tell me, NOW!”<br><br>

“Um, Nick accidentally overdosed on his valium, Brian.
It caused his heart to stop. They are trying to push it out
of his system, I guess it’s still in there and that’s why it
stopped again, I guess.” Kevin said.<br><br>

“Accidentally overdosed? How did that happen?” Brian
was insisting he be answered.<br><br>
“Only Nick can answer that question, Brian.” Kevin
replied quietly. “The doctors feel that Nick should be out
of it for a few more days. Until then, we will just have to
wait.”<br><br>
Chapter 44 by Jenna
<h1 align="center">Chapter Forty-five</h1>
<br><br>


“There you go, Brian, you are doing great.” Brian’s
nurse cheered him on with each step he was taking.<br><br>

Brian managed to smile. He was weak and his legs felt
shaky. It was the first time he was out of his bed since the
accident. He wanted desperately to walk across the floor
into Nick’s room to see him.
<br><br>
“Do you think there’s a chance I could walk across the
room to see Nick?” Brian asked the nurse.<br><br>
“Walk? No, I really don’t want you to push yourself
that far, Brian. How about I take you in the wheelchair, how
does that sound to you?” <br><br>

“That sounds fine by me.” Brian was relieved that the
nurse agreed for him to go to Nick’s room. He hadn’t seen
Nick at all, and it had been over a week since the accident.<br><br>
The last report Howie and Kevin had given him was that Nick
was drifting in and out of consciousness.<br><br>

Brian was nervous as his nurse pushed him across the
floor into Nick’s room. He wasn’t sure what he would be
seeing and he was afraid of what he would be seeing.<br><br>

The room was dark except for the lights that surrounded
Nick’s bed. It cast an eerie light onto his body. As they
got closer, Brian noticed all of the equipment surrounding
the bed and all of the IV’s hanging from the pole. Except
for the green oxygen tubing in Nick’s nose, Nick appeared to
be peacefully asleep.<br><br>

“Do you think you would be okay for about 10 minutes? I
can leave you here if you want to be with him.” The nurse
asked Brian as she locked the wheels into place on the
chair. <br><br>
“Could you? That would be great.” Brian replied softly.<br><br>

“Sure thing. Here’s Nick’s call button. Just hit it
when you’re ready to go back to your room.” The nurse turned
and left Brian alone with Nick.<br><br>

Brian looked at Nick laying on the bed, motionless.
Brian recalled how they had figured Nick would be out of the
coma within a few days, and now, here it was a week and all
Nick has managed to do was come in and out of the coma,
nothing permanent.<br><br>

Brian reached up and touched Nick’s hand that was
laying ontop of the blankets. Resting his head ontop of
Nick’s hand, Brian started to cry. He was afraid for Nick.
With each day that passed, the prognosis would be worse and
that Nick may never fully emerge from the coma.<br><br>

Brian suddenly felt a hand touch his head. For a brief
moment, he was thinking it was Nick, but was jerked back
into reality when he heard Jessica’s voice.<br><br>
“Brian, it’s gonna be okay.” Jess said quietly.<br><br>

As Brian sat back and wiped his eyes quickly, Jess
rested her hands on his shoulders.<br><br>

Nick softly moaned. Brian looked at Nick and then at
Jess.<br><br>

“That’s all he has done, Brian.” Jess hated to take the
hope away from Brian.<br><br>

Brian looked at his friend laying on the bed. Nick’s
eyes opened and stared at the ceiling.<br><br>

“Hey, Nicky!” Brian called out.<br><br>
Nick’s response was blinking slowly. <br><br>

“Come on, Nick, I know you’re in there.” Brian tried to
stimulate a reaction out of him. He leaned towards Nick and
clapped his hands loudly. Nick jumped.<br><br>

“Oh, my god, he jumped! Did you see that? Nick jumped!”
Jessica said excitedly.<br><br>

“Nick snap out of it, come on, you have to try.” Brian
insisted. <br><br>

Nick continued to stare at the ceiling. Kevin and Howie
entered the room. When Kevin spoke, Nick took his eyes off
the ceiling and looked straight at Kevin. <br><br>

“Kev, Nick is looking at you.” Howie noticed.<br><br>

“Kev, move around and see if Nick follows you.” Brian
suggested.<br><br>

Kevin walked to the left of the room. Nick’s eyes
followed Kevin in the room. Jessica walked over to Kevin and
stood next to him. She walked in the opposite direction to
see if Nick would track her. Just as she had hoped, Nick’s
eyes followed her around the room.<br><br>

“Hey.” Nick said quietly.<br><br>
All attention turned to Nick.<br><br>

“Nick? Did you say something?” Jess asked in disbelief.
She thought her mind was playing games on her.<br><br>

Nick continued to stare at Jessica. They all were quiet
hoping that Nick would say something again. After a few
minutes passed, they were disappointed when Nick drifted
back to sleep. <br><br>

“God, at least he did more this time, I think he’s
starting to come out of it.” Kevin said.<br><br>

“It’s the most he’s done so far. I’ll go get his
nurse.” Jessica said as she walked out of the room.<br><br>
When Jess left the room, Kevin spoke up. “I hate to
say it, but this absolutely does not look good at all for
Nick. The longer he is out of it, the worse off he will be.”<br><br>

Brian looked at Kevin in disbelief.<br><br>

“But Nick looks fine to me, and he just woke up a few
minutes ago, he’s got to be ok.” Brian argued with Kevin.<br><br>

“He needs something to stimulate him more, I think.”
Howie suggested. <br><br>

Brian rubbed Nick’s shoulder. He desperately wanted him
to wake up.<br><br>
“God, Nick, you have to come out of this. You can’t
just do this to us, to me, to Jess. Please!” Brian starting
crying again. <br><br>

Kevin and Howie looked at each other. They both drew
the same conclusion that this was more than what Brian could
handle. Kevin put his hand on Brian’s shoulder.<br><br>

“Brian, let me take you back to your room, okay.” Kevin
said quietly.<br><br>

Brian pushed Kevin’s hand off his shoulder. <br><br>

“NO! I’m staying here until Nick wakes up again. I am
not leaving him.” Brian stated through his sobs.<br><br><center>
Chapter 45 by Jenna
Jessica got off the elevator and headed down the familiar
hallway to Nick’s ICU room. She stopped in the doorway when
she found the bed stripped, all the machines gone and Nick
no where in site.<br><br>

She turned around quickly and half way ran to the nurses
station. Jess tried to calm the panic she was feeling rise
in her body. “Please! I need to know where Nick Carter was
taken to.”<br><br>

A nurse looked up and mumbled “Yeah, you and 10,000 other
hormonal girls.” Speaking clearer she added, “Miss, you are
not allowed on this floor, only family of ICU patients.”<br><br>

‘Oh god, she thinks I’m a fan,’ Jess thought to herself.
“No, you don’t understand, I’m family---” Jess’s voice
trailed off when she could see that the nurse wasn’t
listening to her. “Oh god, please! You have to believe me.”<br><br>
“Miss, if you don’t leave right now, I will have to call
hospital security,” the nurse abruptly stated.<br><br>

Blinking away the tears that were filling her eyes, Jess
decided it would be best if she left the nurses station and
went down to the next floor to Brian’s room.<br><br>

Jess felt relieved when the elevator stopped on the fifth
floor. She walked quickly past the nurses station desk,
trying to avoid contact with any of them in case they were
called from the ICU desk to be on the look out for her.<br><br>

When Jess walked into Brian’s room, she was greeted with one
of the biggest smiles she had ever seen on his face. Her
eyes followed the direction of his gesture to see Nick
laying in a bed next to his, asleep.<br><br>

“Oh my god, Nick!” Jess blurted out, rushing towards his
bedside. As she grabbed his hand, she spoke softly to Brian.<br><br>

“I was so scared, I went to his room in ICU and he was gone.
The nurse wouldn’t tell me where he was and, oh god, Brian
thought the worst, I thought I lost him forever,” Jess
cried.<br><br>
“They just moved him into my room only an hour ago. I
thought you’d know,” Brian replied. “I guess they figured if
Nick were around someone he knew and hearing my voice, it
would possible trigger something and jolt him out of this
coma.”<br><br>

Jess ran her fingers through Nick’s hair. “We can only hope
and pray, Brian.”<br><br>

She took a good look at Nick. He still had tubes going in
and out of him and he still appeared to be in a deep,
restful sleep. There were no changes in him at all. Glancing
over towards Brian, she noticed that the smile on his face
was gone, replaced with a look of worry and his color had
paled.<br><br>

“Brian, are you alright?”<br><br>

“Uh-huh.”<br><br>

“You’re lying, something’s wrong, tell me what’s wrong,”
Jessica demanded.<br><br>
“It’s my stomach, I’ll be fine.” Brian tried to lessen
Jess’s worry about him. He was worried about himself as well
as about Nick, but he dismissed the pains in his stomach as
nerves, never bothering to say anything to his nurse.<br><br>

Nick softly moaned which diverted the attention away from
Brian for the moment. Jess held her breath, hoping this
would be the one time that Nick wakes up, but was
disappointed when nothing else happened.<br><br>

“Brian, when is Nick going to wake up? I’m getting so
scared. This has gone on longer than when he was in the car
accident,” Jess broke down and started to cry.<br><br>

“I wish I knew honey,” Brian looked at her, suddenly feeling
helpless.
Chapter 46 by Jenna
Jess sat reading a book while Brian was away in
physical
therapy. They both decided to play CD’s out of Nick’s
personal collection to stimulate him into waking up. A smile
played across Jessica’s lips when she thought of how much
Nick hated hearing any song by n’sync or Britney Spears. <br><br>

Quietly setting the book down, Jess went over to the CD
player and put in n’sync’s latest CD, No Strings Attached.
She purposly laid the headphones near Nick’s right ear. <br><br>

Turning the volume up, Jess giggled in spite of herself and
sat back down into the hard plastic seat and picked up her
book. <br><br>

“If this don’t do it, nothing ever will,” Jess sighed as she
stole a glance over at Nick.<br><br>
Brian was wheeled back into the room sooner than Jessica
expected from physical therapy. He looked exhausted, but not
tired enough to notice the music coming from the CD player.<br><br>

“You trying to kill him or something?” Brian asked with a
smirk on his face. He knew how much Nick loathed any music
from n’sync.<br><br>

“Nope, just trying to piss him off,” Jess replied as she wet
her index finger and flipped a page on the paperback novel
she was evidentally engrossed in.

Brian nodded his head in Nick’s direction. “I think it’s
working, look.”<br><br>

Jess stood up and looked at Nick’s face. Instead of seeing a
peaceful look, his eyebrows were knotted together and he
literally looked mad about something. Jess smiled and looked
at Brian.<br><br>

“I knew it! I knew we would get a rise out of him!” She
rushed over and caught Brian up in a big bear hug. “Now if
he would only complain!”<br><br>

Before Brian could reply, Nick started off into a loud
moaning, turning his head from side to side.<br><br>

“N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o.”<br><br>

It was barely understandable, but Jess and Brian understood
it, it was music to their ears. <br><br>

“What did you say, Nicky?” Brian asked.<br><br>

Nick’s eyes popped open. He still was moving his head from
side to side. “N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o.”<br><br>

Approaching the side of the bed, Jess looked directly at
Nick’s face. “You want this off?”<br><br>

Nick’s head became still. He laid there, just blinking his
eyes. He looked like he was concetraiting on something to
say. <br><br>
After waiting for a few moments for a response, Jess turned
the music back on. This started Nick moving his head side to
side and moaning, “N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o.”<br><br>

Brian gestured to Jessica to turn the CD player off, it was
clearly agitating Nick. Once the music stopped, Nick was
quiet again. Jess walked over to his bed and lovingly
straightened his blankets up and fluffed the pillows.<br><br>

Nick laid in bed quietly, watching Jess, not showing any
emotion except exhaustion.<br><br>

“Nick, I wish you’d snap out of this,” Jess sighed.<br><br>

“Do you think we should call Nick’s nurse, I think this is
something like progress for him, maybe they can do something
more for Nick since he reacted to the music,” Brian said as
he stared at Nick.<br><br>

“Couldn’t hurt,” Jessica replied. “I’ll go down to the
nurse’s station and tell Melanie, be back in a second.”<br><br>
Brian wheeled himself up to the side of Nick’s bed. He took
Nick’s hand and squeezed it. To his amazement, Nick lightly
squeezed it back.<br><br>

“Nick, if you can hear me, squeeze my hand again,” Brian
commanded.<br><br>

It took a second, then suddenly there was a slight squeeze
placed on Brian’s hand. Tears welled up in Brian’s eyes.<br><br>

“Nick! You’re coming out of this, aren’t you? You’re gonna
come back to us!” Brian could hardly contain his excitement.<br><br>
“Do you want to hear n’sync again, Nick?”<br><br>

Nick responded by shaking his head “no.”<br><br>

Brian patted him on the arm, “Yeah, I guess you’re right,
God knows you’ve suffered enough trauma for one day.”<br><br>
Chapter 47 by Jenna
A restless Nick tossed the foam basketball up and down
catching it while he laid in his hospital bed. Brian was in
the shower, getting ready for the doctors rounds.<br><br>

When Brian came out of the shower, it distracted Nick and he
dropped the ball and watched it roll under Brian’s bed. <br><br>

“Oh, way to go, ace!” Brian groaned as he bent over and
fished the ball out from under his bed. He tossed the ball
back to Nick, hitting him in the chest.<br><br>

“Thanks,” Nick replied.<br><br>

“What’s wrong? Why are you acting so down?” Brian asked as
he settled back into his bed, pulling the covers up to his
chest.<br><br>
“I know damn well they’re gonna let you go home today and
I’m gonna be stuck in here all by myself. I feel fine, but I
know they won’t let me leave,” Nick sputtered.<br><br>

“Nick, now, come on. You’ve only been technically here with
us for only four days, they want to make sure everything is
okay with you, I hate to see you go home only to have
something pop up that neither you or Jess can’t handle,”
Brian replied.<br><br>

Nick just shook his head. He didn’t want to listen to
reason, he knew deep down what Brian was saying was making
sense, but he only wanted to hear him agree that keeping him
in the hospital another day would be extremely stupid.
<br><br>
“Hey, there is a question I’ve been dying to ask you, Nick,”
Brian said, turning the volume down on the TV.
<br><Br>
“Shoot,” Nick replied.
<br><br>
“Why were you taking that valium in the first place, I mean
it was an accidental overdose, wasn’t it? You know, the
night of the concert?” As Brian asked, he looked Nick’s face
over to see if he could detect what was going on with him.
<br><br>
“Um...well...how do I explain this?” Nick fished for the
right words. “Well, when we started up practicing again, I
realized how out of shape I was and how hard it was to keep
up with you guys and not get so tired. I found out that the
pills loosened me up and things flowed so easy. I started
taking two pills at a time and I found that it worked out
pretty good. I guess my mistake was the night of the show. I
honestly can’t remember if I took a couple of extra to
ensure that I would do okay onstage or if I just forgot, but
evidentially what I took was too much.”
<br><br>
“Nick, it almost took your life,” Brian replied solemnly.
<br><br>
“I’m so sorry for all of this,” Nick replied, feeling the
tears stinging his eyes. “I wasn’t thinking, I swear I’ll
never do anything that stupid ever again.”
<br><br>
“It’s okay, Nick, don’t beat yourself up over this,” Brian
responded.
<br><br>
Seeing the tears in Nick’s eyes, Brian got out of his bed
and went over to Nick and gave him a brotherly hug. It was
the one of many that had been exchanged over the past few
days. Brian was so happy to have Nick back.
<br><br>
“Oh, boy, leave you two alone for a night and look what
happens!” AJ snickered as he entered the room.
<br><br>
Brian stood up quickly.
<br><br>
“Ha, ha, funny AJ,” Nick said and whipped the basketball at
AJ, hitting him squarely in the side of the head, knocking
off his baseball hat.
<br><br>
“Hey now! It’s just a joke!” AJ replied as he grabbed the
ball and fired it back at Nick, hitting his IV bag on the
pole, nearly knocking it over.
<br><br>
“Oh, good one!” Nick snorted.
<br><br>
“Guys! Come on now,” Brian intervened.
<br><br>
“Yeah Nick, take heart here, I only have one good arm,” AJ
sputtered, pointing to the deep teal colored cast that ran
from his hand to just below his under arm.
<br><br>
“Wuss,” Nick remarked.
<br><br>
Brian narrowed his eyes at Nick. “I said enough!”
<br><br>
Nick folded his arms across his chest. “God, you’d think we
were on the tour bus or something.”
<br><br>
Before anyone could add to Nick’s remark, Brian’s doctor
knocked on the outside of the open door.
<br><br>
“Hi Brian, how are you feeling this morning?” Dr. Singer
asked, clipboard in his hand.
<br><br>
“He feels lousy, he needs to stay here for at least another
week, maybe two,” Nick spoke up for Brian.
<br><br>
Brian narrowed his eyes at Nick. “I feel great, Dr. Singer.”
<br><br>
Dr. Singer approached Brian’s bed and set the clipboard down
on the bedstand. He started pulling the covers back. “I’d
like to check and see how that area where the spleen was is healing up.”
<br><br>
As he started to press down on the area, Brian took a painful breath in.
<br><br>
“Hurts when I do that?” Dr. Singer asked.
<br><br>
All Brian could manage to do at that point was nod yes. It
hurt so much it literally took his breath away.
<br><br>
The doctor started writing some notes in Brian’s chart. “I’m
going to order some labs and an ultrasound, you haven’t had
anything to eat or drink this morning yet, have you?”
<br><br>
“No,” Brian answered quietly.
<br><br>
“What do you think’s going on now, Dr. Singer?” Nick asked.
<br><br>

“I’m not sure, but I would like to run a few tests before I make any decisions,” the doctor
answered. He patted Brian on the shoulder and told him not
to worry.
<br><br>
“Shoot, Bri, looks like you’re gonna be here for another day
anyway,” Nick tried to sound consoling.
<br><br>
Brian sighed. “Yeah, I guess you got your wish, Nick.”
<br><br>
“Hey now, I never wished for that, man,” Nick defended.
<br><br>
“I know Nick, I know,” Brian sadly responded.
<br><br>
Within ten minutes of the doctor leaving, a girl from the
lab came into the room.
<br><br>
“Hi, I’m here to draw some blood from you,” an obviously
nervous young girl stated.
<br><br>
Brian just nodded. He was getting so tired of having needle
pokes done, he just wanted it done and overwith. He watched
AJ pace around the room looking at the flowers on the table
while the girl set about doing her work. Once she was done a
male orderly entered the room with a wheel chair.
<br><br>
“Which one of you guys is Mr. Littrell?”
<br><br>
Nick snickered and gestured at Brian. “He is.”
<br><br>
“I’m here to take you down to radiology for your ultrasound,
you ready to go?”
<br><br>
“As ready as I can be, I guess,” Brian said as he stood up
and slipped his robe on before setting down into the wheel
chair.
<br><br>
“See you in a few, Bri,” AJ and Nick said in unison.
<br><br><center>
Chapter 48 by Jenna
Brian immediately settled back into his bed when the orderly
brought him back from the ultrasound. No sooner had the
orderly walked out the door, a lab tech entered the room
with her cart full of vials.
<br><br>
Both Nick and Brian immediately thought the girl was there
for the opposite person. Nick was slightly relieved when she
announced to Brian that she needed to get some blood from
him.
<br><br>
“Hey, you guys just did that a few hours ago, what gives
now?” Brian ask as he laid his arm out for the girl.
<br><br>
“Doctor wants it,” she replied as she plunged the needle
into his arm.
<br><br>
Just as she finished up, Dr. Singer entered the room. He was
holding Brian’s chart.
<br><br>
“Brian, I just review the results of the abdominal
ultrasound. Everything looks good but it appears there is a
small hematoma near your stomach. There’s nothing we can
really do from a surgical standpoint, but I’m afraid you
can’t be discharged for another two to three days,” Dr.
Singer stated.
<br><br>
Brian nodded slowly in reply. He wanted out of the hospital
and to just be home in his own bed, not being poked and
prodded.
<br><br>
“As for you, Nick, I heard your doctor is filling out the
discharge papers at this very minute,” the older doctor
remarked.
<br><br>
Nick smiled back at the doctor. The thought of going home
appealed to him. Suddenly, his smile faded and he looked
over at Brian, laying in his bed, his skin coloring blending
in with the sheets.
<br><br>
“Bri, I feel awful about leaving before you. It was all my
fault this happened. It’s not right,” Nick apologized.
<br><br>
“Nick!” Brian quietly scolded. “It’s okay and it’s not your
fault. Things always happen for a reason. I will be fine.”
<br><br>
Although Brian felt awful physically and emotionally, he
managed to paste a smile on his face.
<br><br>
“Hey guys! How the hell are you?” AJ announced as he entered
the room. Nick rolled his eyes at AJ but then he perked up
when he saw Jess walking in the door behind AJ.
<br><br>
“Jess! Hi!”
<br><br>
Jess walked up to Nick’s bed and kissed him quickly on the
lips. “How are you feeling this morning, babe?”
<br><br>
Nick smiled slightly. “I’m feeling good, the doc is gonna
let me go home today!”
<br><br>
Jess hugged Nick. “That’s great.”
<br><br>
Nick nodded slowly. Jess immediately sensed something was
bothering him.
<br><br>
“What’s wrong? You’re not as excited as you should be,” Jess
asked as she sat on the edge of the bed next to Nick.
<br><br>
“Brian has to stay a few more days, he has something by his
stomach and the doctor wants him to stay,” Nick replied quietly.
<br><br>
Jess looked over at Brian, laying in his bed. “Oh god,
Brian, I’m so sorry.”
<br><br>
Brian picked up the remote control and turned the television
set on. “Thanks Jess, but really, it’s gonna be alright, I
just need a little more time to heal up I guess.”
<br><br>
Brian didn’t let on to them how heartbroken he was that he
couldn’t go home. His throat was getting sore from holding
back the tears he wanted to desperately release from
frustration.
Chapter 49 by Jenna
<br><br>
"Seriously, Jess, we've got a little over three weeks before I have to start doing rehearsals again. You better make your mind up now where you want to go!" Nick asked as he laid the travel brochures down on the glass coffee table.
<br><br>
Jess glanced at all the brochures Nick had selected. "Busch Gardens? Honestly Nick!"
<br><br>
Nick smiled. "Hey now! I was getting desperate here."
<br><br>
He sat down on the white leather couch next to Jess. "Any place you want to go, I'll go there, just ask."
<br><br>
"Nick, you've been all over the world, certainly there's a place you like the best," Jess argued.
<br><br>
"But I want it to be your choice, not mine," Nick insisted.
<br><br>
"Tell me your most favorite place in the world that you've been to," Jess asked.
<br><br>
Nick leaned back into the couch and thought for a moment. There were so many different places he had seen, each were special in some sort of way. "I guess London, England was pretty sweet."
<br><br>
"Then we'll go there, you know the sites so it will be easier to plan this out," Jess replied as she tossed a brochure of England at Nick.
<br><br>
Just as Jessica placed her hand on the phone to call the travel agent, it began to ring. Nick was starting to tell her to let the machine pick it up, but Jess already picked the receiver up.
<br><br>
"Hello?.....oh, hi Howie!.....what?.......oh my god....no, this can't be true......we're on our way....bye."
<Br><br>
Nick could instantly tell it was bad news that Jess had just received from Howie. Her face had gone pale and her voice was trembling after she started talking to Howie. She quietly turned and faced Nick.
<br><br>
"That was Howie," Jess started out. She paused and swallowed hard. Nick searched her face for some type of clue as to the news she was about to deliver. "It's Brian, we need to go to Orlando immediately.
<br><br>
"What's wrong?" Nick asked as he followed Jess out the door into the garage.
<br><br>
Jess stopped and turned to face Nick. "They think he had a stroke."
<br><br>
A stoke.
<br><br>
The words cut through Nick like a knife. "How?"
<br><br>
"Nick, I don't know, we'll find out more when we get there, okay? You want me to drive or are you okay to drive?"
<br><br>
Taking the keys out of her hand, Nick simply stated, "I'm fine."
<br><br><center>*~*~*~*~*~*~*</center><br><br>

The anguished face of Kevin’s pretty much assured Nick that
the situation was not looking very good for Brian. Howie and
AJ were sitting in the private waiting room as well, AJ
pacing back and forth and Howie looking completely lost.
<br><br>
“How is he?” Jess managed to ask Kevin as she hugged him.
<br><br>
The tears slipped down Kevin’s cheeks and all he could
manage was shake his head no.
<br><Br>
“Don’t you know anything yet?” Nick yelled out of
frustration.
<br><br>
“Nick, calm down, this won’t change matters,” Howie softly
spoke, trying to soothe Nick.
<br><br>
“But why? How?” Nick questioned.
<br><br>
“All we know is that Leighanne found Brian on the floor in
the kitchen this morning, unconscious. They’re not coming
back and telling us anything yet. Leighanne is in with Brian
and his parents have been called in,” Howie stated quietly.
<br><br>
“When are they going to come and tell us something?” Nick
persisted.
<br><br>
“Nick we’re not family, so I doubt they will talk to us,”
Howie replied.
<br><br>
“Yes we are, Brian’s my brother,” Nick argued.
<br><br>
“Not a relative,” AJ snapped.
<br><br>
As Nick was preparing to respond to AJ, a short, blonde
haired nurse entered the waiting room.
<br><br>
“Normal hospital policies state only two visitors at a time
to a patient’s room, but because of the circumstances, you
are all permitted to go to Mr. Littrell’s room. Please
follow me,” the nurse stated.
<br><br>
The group followed the nurse down the long, white-tiled
hallway. She stood in the doorway to NICU room number 12 and
gestured for them to enter.
<br><br>
Nick scanned the room as he walked in. His heart sank when
he saw Brian. He laid in the bed, hooked up to machines and
had tubes going into his mouth. Leighanne was holding the
only hand that didn’t have an IV in it, tears running down
her cheeks. When she looked up and their eyes met, Nick
immediately started asking questions.
<br><br>
“How did this happen? What’s wrong with him?”
<br><br>
Leighanne took in a deep breath before she answered Nick’s
questions.
<br><br>
“Brian had a stroke,” Leighanne replied.
<br><br>
“I know that, but how?” Nick persisted.
<br><br>
“They think it’s from that large clot Brian had from when he
had that surgery after the accident. They think part of it
broke off and went to his brain,” as Lee answered, her voice
was shaking.
<br><br>
“But he’s gonna be okay, right?” Nick hopefully asked.
<br><br>
Leighanne broke down into sobs.
<br><br>
“Lee, he’s gonna be okay, right?” Nick repeated.
<br><br>
Leighanne looked at each of their faces and then at Brian.
“Brian’s gone.”
<br><Br>
Nick looked at her in disbelief. He could hear the heart
monitor keeping a steady beat of Brian’s heart.
<br><br>
“No, he’s not, what are you talking about?” Nick demanded.
<br><br>
“Brian’s brain dead,” Lee replied, no emotion in her voice.
<br><br>
“He can’t be, you’re wrong!” Nick shouted at her.
<br><br>
“They’re waiting for his parents to come so Brian can be
taken off of life support,” Leighanne stated, her voice
shaky and uneven toned.
<br><br>
“NO!”
<br><br>
Nick suddenly felt sick to his stomach. He wanted to run out
of that room. He wanted to find someone that could help
Brian, someone that wouldn’t give up on him. He opted to
stay where he was, staring at Brian’s lifeless body in that
bed.
<br><br>
Nick looked at everyone in the room. “So that’s it? You’re
giving up just like that? His heart is still beating, he is
alive dammit!”
<br><br>
Jess softly touched Nick’s arm. “That was the strongest part
of Brian, Nick. His heart was what made Brian Brian. It
would never give up, it just hasn’t been told to quit.
<br><br><center>*~*~*~*~*~*</center><br><br>

Brian’s parents arrived at the hospital a few hours later.
They had signed the necessary paperwork to have Brian
removed from life support. They had decided to allow each of
the guys a few minutes to be alone with Brian before the
life support was terminated.
<br><br>
Nick was the last of them to go into the room. He walked in
slowly, looking at the machines, especially the one that
kept track of Brian’s heartbeat.
<br><br>
At first, all Nick did was stare at Brian’s face. It
appeared to be peaceful. If it weren’t for the tubes in his
mouth, Nick could have sworn that Brian had just laid down
to take a nap.
<br><br>
Then the memories started to flood Nick’s mind. The first
time they met.......all the concert tours they played
at.....the practical jokes Brian played on him and the jokes
he played on Brian......the basketball games and how often
he accused Brian of cheating....Brian’s laugh.....his
smile......how he was always there for Nick.
<br><br>
Nick took Brian’s hand into his. Taking a deep breath, Nick
finally spoke to him, pouring his heart out.
<br><br>
“Brian,” Nick started, his voice choked with emotion. “I
know you’re still here somewhere in this room and you can
hear me. You’ve been like a brother to me. You always took
my side and defended me from day one. Hell, if you hadn’t
done that stupid stunt in trying to save my damn life that
night, you would be okay and not laying in this bed waiting
to check out. You’ve given your life for me and you will
still be giving your life through everything that you will
be donating.” Nick chocked back a sob.
<br><br>
“God, Brian, you were so damn perfect. You always said that
God only takes the best, but I’m selfish and I want him to
leave you here with us, we still need you.”
<br><br>
Nick broke down into heart breaking sobs. He put his head on
Brian’s chest and cried. After several minutes had passed,
Nick reached out and tried to hug Brian the best he could
and kissed his cheek.
<br><br>
“I love you, buddy, I always have. I’m going to miss you.”
<br><br><center>
Chapter 50 by Jenna
<br><br>
Nick stood there for the longest time, ignoring the cold
breeze stinging his face. He thrust his hands into his front
pockets, staring down at the flowers that covered the
freshly dug dirt.
<br><br>

“Nick?”
<br><br>
Jessica gently touched the sleeve on Nick’s coat. She looked
up at his face. Although he was wearing sunglassed, it still
didn’t conceal the tears and and the hurt look that Nick’s
eyes contained.
<br><br>
“Nick, we’re gonna be late for our flight, we have to get to
the airport,” Jess softly spoke.
<br><br>
Nick still refused to move. Finally after what seemed like
an eternity to Jessica, Nick sighed.
<br><br>
“He told me he was always going to be here for me. Brian
promised me!” Nick’s voice broke as he spoke.
<br><br>
Jess rubbed his arm, attempting to comfort him. “I know
babe, I know. But in a way he’s still here he----”
<br><br>
“Don’t start off with that bullshit that he’s around us,”
Nick threw his hands up in the air for emphasis. “He’s not,
he’s dead.....gone. Ain’t nothing gonna change that either.
It’s all my fault. I was the stupid idiot that thought he
could handle the tour. You told me not to, but I never
listened. I am such an ass for thinking I had this under
control!”
<br><br>
The words cut through Jess as she listened. She didn’t know
what she could say that would ease the hurt Nick was
feeling. She could tell he was in a lot of emotional pain
and she was afraid anything she said at this point could put
him into a deeper rage.
<br><br>
This was something that Brian would be able to fix, but now
it was up to Jess to try and figure out how to fix it.
<br><br>
“Nick, it’s not your fault, it was Brian’s time to go,” Jess
quietly stated.
<br><br>
Nick let out a sarcastic laugh at Jessica’s statement.
<br><br>
“Time to go? How do you figure that?”
<br><br>
“It was in God’s plans. It was time for Brian to go home to
Heaven,” Jess replied.
<br><br>
Nick rolled his eyes and laughed. “God’s plans? There is no
god!”
<br><br>
Jess’s mouth dropped open in shock.
<br><br>
“That’s right, you heard me. Let’s examine this, okay? Brian
was always and forever praying and reading his little Bible
at night. Where did that get him? Six feet under. What type
of god would take a guy in the prime of his life, the world
at his feet and kill him? I can’t imagine a god doing
something that sick,” Nick spat out angrily.
<br><br>
Jessica burst into tears. “Please Nick, listen to what
you’re saying! You are taking everything that Brian lived
for and believed in and you are turning it against him and
against yourself.”
<br><br>
Nick finally broke down into heart wrenching sobs. “I don’t
know what to believe in anymore. A part of me is here,” Nick
pointed at the grave. “How can I leave?”
<br><br>
Jess reached and pulled a sweetheart yellow rose from one of
the arrangements that laid on the grave.
<br><br>
“This was one of Brian’s favorite flowers,” she said as she
held it out for Nick to take. “it’s not much, but it’s
something to hold onto until you can come back to Kentucky
to the grave.”
<br><br>
Nick took the rose from Jess and wrapped his arms around her
and broke down and let everything he was feeling go. His
cries sounded as if they came from the center of his soul.
<br><br>
Chapter 51 by Jenna
“How much longer?” Nick asked anxiously. “This waiting
around is driving me insane!” He paced back and forth in the
waiting room of the hospital.
<br><br>
Just as Nick was losing his patience, a young nurse entered
the room.
<br><br>
“It’s okay now, she’s settled in, you may go back.”
<br><br>
Nick rushed past the nurse nearly knocking her over. He
bolted into the room to find Jess laying peacefully in the
bed. He quickly walked up the side of the bed, taking her
hands in his and kissed her forehead.
<br><br>
“It’s okay now, I’m here,” Nick softly spoke.
<br><br>
Jess giggled a little. “Nick, you worry too much. Honestly,
I’m okay.”
<br><br>
After she uttered her last sentance, her face knotted in
pain, she tightened the grip on Nick’s hands until the pain
passed.
<br><br>
“They’re getting closer, aren’t they?” Nick asked.
<br><br>
Jess shook her head yes. “Closer and stronger now,” she
stated quietly.
<br><br>
Nick placed his hand on her swollen stomach. He looked at
Jess and smiled. “I still can’t believe this is actually
happening! I mean, all the shit that’s happened to us over
the past two years with the accident and all I’m still in
shock to think we’re gonna have a baby!” Nick stated
excitedly.
<br><br>
“Well, that’s what happens when you fool around, Nick,” Jess
joked. She spotted the worried look that crossed over Nick’s
face. “What’s wrong?”
<br><br>
“I dunno, I just hope I’m a good father, you know?” Nick
mumbled.
<br><br>
Jess took his chin in her hand. “Nick, you will be the best
father ever put on this earth!”
<br><br>
As Nick kissed Jess on the forehead, a doctor and a nurse
entered the room. The nurse quickly set about tearing down
part of the bed Jess was on and attached poles on either
side of the bed.
<br><br>
The doctor looked at Jess and Nick and smiled. “Let’s have a
baby.”
<br><br>
Nick panicked. “It’s time already?”
<br><br>
The nurse put her hand on Nick’s shoulder. “Are you going to
be okay, Mr. Carter? If you don’t think you can take this,
you will have to go and wait out in the lobby with the
family because I don’t need you fainting on us during this
and I’m sure Jessica doesn’t need that either,” the nurse
asked.
<br><br>
Nick swallowed hard and nodded. “I’ll be fine.”
<br><br>
Fine? Oh god I feel awful, I’ve never been this scared in my
life. Hell, standing out onstage with total equipment
failure sounds like a hell of a better idea to me right now
than this! Nick rushed the thoughts in his brain. He looked
at Jess who was showing concern in her eyes.
<br><br>
“Mr. Carter, just stand up here by her shoulders, okay, you
can coach her through this and you’ll be fine,” the nurse
ordered as she patted Jess on the shoulder while she spoke.
<br><br>
“Okay, Jess, I want you to wait to push until I tell you
it’s time,” Dr. Johnson instructed.
<br><br>
Jess licked her lips and nodded quickly. She fought the
intense urge to push while the doctor was doing something to
her that she didn’t really appreciate.
<br><br>
“Alright, Jess, PUSH NOW!” Dr. Johnson ordered.
<br><br>
Nick fought off the wave of nausea he felt at that moment
and time. His knees felt like rubber. “Push Jess, comeon!”
Nick was shocked at how shakey his voice sounded, obviously
his nervousness was beginning to surface.
<br><br>
After nearly two hours of Nick coaching Jess, she was
starting to tire and wanted to give up. She burst into tears
and it was up to Nick to set her back on the path again. He
rested his forehead on hers.
<br><br>
“Honey, just a little bit more and you’ll be done,” Nick
softly spoke.
<br><br>
“I can’t anymore, I’m too tired!” Jess weakly exclaimed.
<br><br>
“I know, but I promise, if you give us six more pushes, it
will be overwith and you can rest then.”
<br><br>
Jessica’s eyes shifted back and forth, trying to grasp what
Nick had just told her.
<br><br>
“SIX MORE!”
<br><br>
“Okay, okay, how about three really big ones?” Nick tried to
compromise.
<br><br>
“Three big ones?” Jess whispered.
<br><br>
“Three and that’s it, okay?” Nick smiled.
<br><br>
Jess nodded and pulled herself up to a half laying, half
sitting position. She took in a deep breath and grabbed the
poles and pushed with all she had in her.
<br><br>
“Okay Jess, hold on a second, let me suction the baby’s
mouth and nose,” Dr. Johnson requested as he held the head
that was halfway out.
<br><br>
Nick was afraid to look down over the sheets at the baby
just yet, but the nurse pointed to the mirror that had been
set up at the foot of the bed behind the doctor so that
Jessica could watch the delivery.
<br><br>
“See the baby, guys?”
<br><br>
“Okay, Jessica, one more big push and you’ll be done,” the
doctor excitedly exclaimed.
<br><br>
Jess did as he ordered and the baby slipped out into his
hands and immediately began to cry. The emotions in the room
ran high and both Nick and Jessica were crying.
<br><br>
“You have a beautiful daughter! Congratulations!”
<br><br>
Nick kissed Jessica tenderly on the lips. “You did good,
she’s beautiful.”
<br><br>
The nurse wrapped the baby up in a pink blanket once she was
cleaned up. She handed the baby carefully to Nick and it
appeared that the infant was lost in his arms. Nick held the
baby gently, but seemed pretty comfortable with her.
<br><br>
Jess looked at the two of them together, Nick beaming with
joy.
<br><br>
“So?” She questioned.
<br><br>
“Huh?” Nick looked up at Jess, dazed.
<br><br>
“Names? What are we going to name her?”
<br><br>
“I dunno, what do you like?”
<br><br>
Jess sighed and laughed. “Nick, we talked about this for
months, you don’t know now?”
<br><br>
“Abigail Jane Carter, Abbey for short,” Nick questioned.
<br><br>
Jess smiled. “Abbey it is.”
<br><br>
Chapter 52 by Jenna
<br><br>
“Nick, hey buddy come on are you gonna sleep all day?”
<br><br>

Nick rolled away from the voice and pulled the covers up
over his head. He ignored the laugh he heard coming from
behind him.
<br><br>
“Typical teenager!” The voice with a distinctive southern
drawl laughed.
<br><br>
Nick opened his eyes and stared at the wall for a moment. It
took a full minute for him to get his bearings and realize
that he was on the bus.
<br><br>
“Where are we?” Nick asked without turning away from the
wall.
<br><br>
“Toronto Canada, you’ve been sleeping since Indianapolis,”
the voice replied.
<br><br>
“Is Jess up yet?”
<br><br>
“Jess?” The voice starting laughing. “Nick! Wake up, would
ya?”
<br><br>
Nick rolled over quickly and came face to face with deep
blue eyes.
<br><br>
Nick blinked a few times and then rubbed his eyes. “Brian?”
Nick immediately jumped out of the bunk and wrapped his arms
around Brian and squeezed him tightly, causing Brian to
cough.
<br><br>
“Hey, how come you’re so glad to see me?”
<br><br>
“You were dead!”
<br><br>
“Huh?”
<br><br>
“Oh, man, I had the wildest dream, we were at this concert
and I fell off the stage and you went to rescue me and then
you fell off the stage and AJ and then you died,” Nick
recalled the events quickly.
<br><br>
“Wow, some dream. You were sick when we left Indiana, gosh,
you must have really been sick,” Brian replied and put his
hand on Nick’s forehead. “I think you’re running a temp.”
<br><br>
“Probably,” Nick replied, then his face grew serious. “There
was this girl in my dreams though. God, Brian she was the
most amazing girl.”
<br><br>
Nick told Brian about the dream he had up to the point where
he was woken up. Brian just smiled as he listened to Nick.
<br><br>
“Sounds like you have found the ideal girl, too bad she’s
only in your dreams Nick,” Brian chuckled.
<br><br>
“Ha, oh really funny!” Nick sputtered.
<br><br>
“Get dressed we have sound check in an hour,” Brian called
out over his shoulder as he walked away.
<br><br>
Nick got dressed as his thoughts were still on the dream he
had just had. He was relieved that it was a dream, that
Brian didn’t die, but in the same instance, Nick was
disappointed it was a dream because Jessica seemed so real
to him and was so perfect for him.
<br><br>
Grabbing his duffel bag, Nick followed AJ and Kevin towards
the auditorium for sound check. After waiting a few minutes
for the band to warm up, Nick decided to go check out the
auditorium and stood up.
<br><br>
“Where you going?” AJ questioned.
<br><br>
“For a walk,” Nick replied.
<br><br>
Brian looked at Nick, concerned. “Don’t go off too far, you
still look a little pale to me.”
<br><br>
“Okay Dad,” Nick smiled.
<br><br>
Nick walked towards the back of the stage, checking out all
of the props that were being stored against walls, making
the hallway a narrow path. Coming upon a swinging door, Nick
pushed it lightly and found there was some resistance on the
other side. He gave it a hard shove and heard a female’s
voice cry out and then a thud.
<br><br>
This time Nick slowly pushed the door open and found a girl
sitting on the floor, papers strewn about her.
<br><br>
“Oh, god, I’m so sorry, are you alright?” Nick asked as he
bent down to help gather the papers.
<br><br>
The girl kept picking the papers up, not stopping to look at
Nick. “Yeah, I’m okay, I’m just gonna be late for my
appointment.”
<br><br>
“I’m really sorry, I guess I wasn’t paying attention to what
I was doing,” Nick replied.
<br><br>
The girl stood up and then finally looked at Nick as she
took the last of the papers from his hands.
<br><br>
Nick’s heart immediately started pounding and his mouth
dropped open.
<br><br>
“Is something wrong?” she asked when she looked at Nick.
<br><br>
“Um, have we met before?” Nick asked hesitantly.
<br><br>
The girl laughed. “No.”
<br><br>
“Are you sure? You look familiar,” Nick asked again.
<br><br>
“Postive. I think I would remember if I met Nick Carter
before.”
<br><br>
Nick took a deep breath in, and plunged into his next
question. “I’m sorry, what is your name?”
<br><br>
“It’s Jessica, but I prefer Jess,” Jess replied, smiling and
held her hand out for Nick to shake.
<br><br>
<i>“Oh my god,”</i> Nick thought to himself,<i> “it’s her, she’s the
one I was dreaming about.”</i> He decided he had to get to know
her at any all all costs.
<br><br>
“Could I make it up to you for knocking you down?”
<br><br>
Jess laughed. “I said I was fine, don’t worry about it. I
really have to go, I’m gonna be late!”
<br><br>
As she turned to leave, Nick followed her.
<br><br>
“Can we have coffee?” Nick asked.
<br><br>
“I’m really late!” Jess replied without stopping her steady
pace down the hall.
<br><br>
“Please?” Nick pleaded.
<br><br>
Jess stopped and turned to look at Nick. “This must really
mean a lot to you for some reason,” Jess replied. She
glanced at her watch. “Okay, there’s a cafe across the
street, I suppose I could take my lunch now.”
<br><br>
Nick smiled. “Thanks, you won’t regret this, in fact, this
may change the course of your life!”
<br><br>
Jess looked at Nick as if he had completely lost his mind.
<br><br>
“Ah, okay, if you say so.”
<br><br>
“Trust me,” Nick replied, grinning.
<br><br><center>
The End
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7863