Listen To Your Heart by miss_hypergirl
Summary:

A wounded heart and a broken soul is what causes an accident that leads two people together. Two people who live completely different lives and are unaware of what the future has in store for them.

Dec 15th 07 - UPDATE! I know it took forever, but the rest of this story is now added. I should have done it ages ago... I know, but I kinda just forgot to be honest... (no excuse I know...) Anyways, hope you guys still wanna finish it, and let me know what you think.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: None
Genres: Action, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Violence, Sexual Assault/Rape
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 43 Completed: Yes Word count: 62514 Read: 77518 Published: 07/18/06 Updated: 12/15/07

1. Chapter 1 by miss_hypergirl

2. Chapter 2 by miss_hypergirl

3. Chapter 3 by miss_hypergirl

4. Chapter 4 by miss_hypergirl

5. Chapter 5 by miss_hypergirl

6. Chapter 6 by miss_hypergirl

7. Chapter 7 by miss_hypergirl

8. Chapter 8 by miss_hypergirl

9. Chapter 9 by miss_hypergirl

10. Chapter 10 by miss_hypergirl

11. Chapter 11 by miss_hypergirl

12. Chapter 12 by miss_hypergirl

13. Chapter 13 by miss_hypergirl

14. Chapter 14 by miss_hypergirl

15. Chapter 15 by miss_hypergirl

16. Chapter 16 by miss_hypergirl

17. Chapter 17 by miss_hypergirl

18. Chapter 18 by miss_hypergirl

19. Chapter 19 by miss_hypergirl

20. Chapter 20 by miss_hypergirl

21. Chapter 21 by miss_hypergirl

22. Chapter 22 by miss_hypergirl

23. Chapter 23 by miss_hypergirl

24. Chapter 24 by miss_hypergirl

25. Chapter 25 by miss_hypergirl

26. Chapter 26 by miss_hypergirl

27. Chapter 27 by miss_hypergirl

28. Chapter 28 by miss_hypergirl

29. Chapter 29 by miss_hypergirl

30. Chapter 30 by miss_hypergirl

31. Chapter 31 by miss_hypergirl

32. Chapter 32 by miss_hypergirl

33. Chapter 33 by miss_hypergirl

34. Chapter 34 by miss_hypergirl

35. Chapter 35 by miss_hypergirl

36. Chapter 36 by miss_hypergirl

37. Chapter 37 by miss_hypergirl

38. Chapter 38 by miss_hypergirl

39. Chapter 39 by miss_hypergirl

40. Chapter 40 by miss_hypergirl

41. Chapter 41 by miss_hypergirl

42. Chapter 42 by miss_hypergirl

43. Chapter 43 - Final chapter by miss_hypergirl

Chapter 1 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 1

“Noel let me go! You’re hurting me.”
“Well, isn’t that a shame.” He said in an ironic voice. “Then stop resisting will you? We wouldn’t want to mess up that pretty face of yours. Will we?” His voice grew firmer as he spoke.
She looked down and tried to avoid eye contact with him, but he lifted her face and brought it closer to his. She could smell his breath of alcohol as he spoke again.
“You know, you’re making this very hard for me. You know what I want and it has never been a problem before. What makes it different this time? You know, you’re just like your mother,” he gave her an evil grin, “impossible to control, and crazy as hell.”
He suddenly felt a sharp pain between his legs, and realized that she had hit him. He moved his hands to cover up his area, which gave her an opportunity to get away from his firm grip.
“Bitch,” He said under his breath as she ran out of the room and towards the front door.
He quickly fallowed her, but the sharp pain between his legs made him move slower, and as he reached the front door, she was already gone.
“Fuck!” He yelled and ran out of the house. “Cassidy, you get back here right now!”
She could hear him yell after her as she ran down the driveway, out on the sidewalk and into the cold night. But she didn’t look back. Not this time. This time she wouldn’t give him what he wanted. She continued to run, not once looking back. She wasn’t aware of the rain until she had been running for so long that she had to stop and catch her breath. She was soaked by then. Her long dark hair was hanging down her face, her green halter – neck was clinging to her body and her shoes were so soaked with water that it felt like she was running around in a lake.
She took a minute to rest before she started running again. She never looked back to see if he was fallowing her, but she knew him well enough to know that he wouldn’t let her get away that easily. It was raining heavily now, the darkness of the night was closing in on her and she could barely see where she was going. Not that she needed to know, she had no place to go anyway. She suddenly heard a car getting closer and she froze dead in her tracks. It didn’t have to be him, many people lived in this area, but she couldn’t take that risk and started looking for a place to hide. She looked across the road and could barely see a large pile of dumpsters on the sidewalk. Pausing, she turned around. The car was getting closer, but due to the rain and the darkness, she was certain that the driver hadn’t seen her yet. She decided to take a run for it, but before she could reach the other side of the road, she heard the slamming of breaks, and everything went black.

“Man, did you see those fine ladies on the dance floor tonight? I wish we could have stayed longer. I would have loooved to get closer to that brunette.” Aj said and looked out of the car window.
Nick laughed. “Dude, you were pretty damn close alright. You were practically drooling all over her man,”
“Well, right back atcha bro!” Aj turned around to face Nick.
“What, I didn’t even touch her,”
“No, but you sure were drooling.”
“I was not”
“Were too!”
“Hell no!”
“Guys, stop it. Act your age, will ya?” Kevin said in a firm voice. “You’ll probably never see her again anyway. Why fight over her? You know, when you get married and find that special someone, these things seem so irrelevant.”
Aj and Nick laughed.
“Yea, yea, whatever dude!” Aj said rolling his eyes.
The three guys had been out partying for a few hours that night. They were all heading back to AJ’s in a taxi to spend the night there. They had a rehearsal the next morning for a show in Orlando the following night.
“Take a left here.” Aj said to the taxi driver.
“Man, it’s raining outside. Do you think we will have another hurricane coming in?” Nick said anxiously, looking out the window.
Kevin shook his head. “Nah, don’t think so. It would have been all over the news.”
“Man I hope so.” Nick said.
“Awe, little Nicky is scared.” Aj said and patted his friend on the shoulder.
“Shut up dude. I’m not scared, but don’t you remember what happened the last time we had a hurricane? I spent like two days in a studio recording a song for all those poor victims.”
“Duh, I was there too, remember?” Aj said.
“Guys, what is wrong with you tonight?” Kevin said looking at them both. “Why the angry tone? You didn’t drink anything tonight Aj, did you?”
Aj looked at Kevin stunned.
“What? Are you accusing me of drinking? You know I don’t do that shit anymore. I can’t believe you could think that! Hell, Nick didn’t even drink tonight man!”
“Ok, ok!” Kevin raised his hands to show that he didn’t mean anything by saying so, “I’m sorry Aj, I was just asking. I know you’re clean.”
They all just sat there for a while, not talking to each other. Their thoughts were soon interrupted by the taxi driver.
“Shit!!!” He yelled out loud, causing the guys to stir.
The driver quickly slammed the breaks; there was a loud bang, and then, silence. For a moment, they all just sat there, not knowing what had just happened.
Nick was the first to speak.
“Dude, I think we hit something.”
Kevin looked out of the window. “Not something. Someone.”
“Shit, shit, shit!” The driver had finally come to his senses.
He quickly opened the door and ran outside, followed by the other guys.
“Oh man, I don’t think I wanna see this.” Aj said, not knowing where to look.
“I think someone should call 911,” Kevin said as he followed the taxi driver over to the person lying on the ground a few feet away from the car.
“I’ll call.” Aj said. “Nick, you should help them,” he nodded towards Kevin and the driver standing by the person, “I would just be in the way.”
Nick nodded slowly and walked away, leaving Aj to call the ambulance.
Chapter 2 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 2

The girl lying on the ground didn’t move. She was lying on her back, her eyes closed and her clothes soaked from the rain. A stain of blood made its way down her cheek and her swollen lips made her look beaten. Nick watched her as she lay there helplessly. She didn’t look dead, but still, he had never seen a dead person, so what would he know? Her hair was dark, almost black, although he wasn’t sure if that was because of the rain or if it was blood. It was hard to see in the dark. The lights from the car were the only thing that made them see what they had to, but not wanted to see. His thoughts were interrupted by Kevin’s voice.
“Nick? Hey Nick?” He placed a hand on Nick’s shoulder. Nick looked up. “I know this is hard bro, but you’re the only one of us that knows how to do this. You have to check her pulse.” Kevin knew Nick had been through this when he was taking his scuba divers license.
Nick slowly nodded and knelt down beside the girl. He took her cold hand in his and placed two fingers over her wrist. He could instantly feel her pulse, but it was weak, and he knew that she needed medical care instantly.
“She has a pulse, but it’s very weak.” He said to Kevin, not letting go of her hand. “Aj, did you call the ambulance?” He yelled at Aj through the rain.
“They’ll be here in 5.” Aj yelled back.
Nick looked down at the girl again, and tried to figure out what to do to help her in the meantime.
“Oh God, oh God, I hit someone. I swear I didn’t see her. She was just there. I was driving so slowly, and I just didn’t see her. I didn’t mean to hit her. I swear I just didn’t see her.” The taxi driver was pacing back and forth, pulling his hair and talking to himself. His voice was filled with panic. Aj approached him slowly, leading him over to the driver’s seat to make him sit down.
“Hey dude, it wasn’t you fault. We didn’t see her either. It’s impossible to see anything in this weather man. She’ll be alright. As soon as the ambulance gets here, she’ll be alright.”

Minutes passed, and finally they could hear sirens getting closer.
“Finally!” Nick said to himself.
Every minute that had passed had seemed like an hour. He felt completely helpless sitting beside her and not knowing what to do. He had kept talking to her, holding her hand, telling her to hold on and letting her know that everything was going to be alright. The ambulance stopped next to the taxi, and Kevin quickly led the way over to the girl, telling them what had happened.
“She was just there. I mean, none of us saw her, and the taxi driver was driving so slowly because of the weather.” He said as one of the ambulance personnel leaned over her to check her reflexes.
“She has a pulse,” Nick said quietly, “but it’s been getting weaker for the past couple of minutes.”
The guy nodded and said “Ok, I need both of you to step away for a minute now. We need to see what we can do for her.”
Both Kevin and Nick stepped away and walked over to Aj and the driver.
“Hey,” Aj said, “how’s she doing?”
Nick looked down and shrugged, “I don’t know, man. She has a pulse, but it’s hardly there. It doesn’t look too good to me though. Man she looks so fragile lying there, Aj. I wish there was something we could do.”
Aj nodded. “I know. At least you did something. I couldn’t even look at her. I hate things like this man. It really gets to me.”
They could hear sirens again, but this time a police car came closer and stopped behind the taxi where the guys were standing. Two police officers walked over to them, but said nothing as one of the ambulance personnel approached them.
“Guys, we’re taking her with us to St. James hospital. We can’t do anything for her here. She needs medical help.”
“Well, will she make it?” Kevin asked.
“To be honest, I don’t know. She might have internal bleedings that we can’t see at this point. She has a broken arm and a large cut on her stomach as far as we can see, but that’s all we can tell you right now. If you contact the hospital later, they will be able to give you more answers.” He said as he walked over to the ambulance that was ready to leave.
The sirens were turned on, and the car sped away out of their sight. The guys all looked over at the police officers, waiting for them to say something.
“Well,” one of them spoke, “I’m Officer Peterson, and this is Officer Michaels.” They all shook hands before Peterson continued. “I guess you understand that we have to ask you a few questions about what just happened?” All the guys nodded and the officer continued.” We can do it here, out in the rain, or you can come down to the station with us and we’ll get you some blankets and a cup of coffee.” Peterson said looking at the guys.
They were all dripping wet and shaking from the rain and the cold of the night.
Kevin was the first to speak. “Well, how many questions do you have, will it take long? I mean, we don’t mind doing it here. I think we all just wanna go home. We have an early rehearsal and a show tomorrow, so we really need to get home and get some sleep.”
The officers looked confused. “Rehearsal, show? What do you mean?”
“Uhm, we’re kinda in a group, and we have a performance tomorrow.”
“What kinda group?”
“The Backstreet Boys. I don’t know if you’ve heard about us?”
The officers both nodded. “Yea sounds familiar, but it doesn’t make you any less of a witness. But I mean, I guess we don’t have that many questions for you. I don’t assume any of you were driving?”
“I’m the driver, sir.” The taxi driver stood up from the driver seat.
“Ok, you will need to come down to the station with us. I hope you understand that.”
The driver nodded and the officer turned to the guys again.
“I’ll ask you the necessarily questions here, and then you can go home, but I need your phone numbers to contact you in case we do have anything else to ask you.”
“No problem, “Kevin said giving the officer the information he needed.
Then they were all asked questions concerning the accident, and 30 minutes later, they were free to go.
“Man, how exactly are we going to get home?” Nick asked when the officers and the taxi driver had left.
“We walk.” Aj said, “My house is like 5 minutes away from here. I didn’t realize we were this close.”
They all fallowed Aj in the direction of his house, and true enough, 5 minutes later, they were all standing in his hall, dripping wet, and very cold.
“I am so getting a warm shower right now.” Nick said, taking off his wet shoes.
“Me too, “Aj said
“Me three.” Kevin agreed.
“Well, see ya in the morning guys. I’ll use the bathroom at the end of the hall. Goodnight.” Nick said and walked away.
“Yea, goodnight.” Kevin said as he started to walk over to his bedroom.
“Kev, wait. Can I just talk to you for a minute?” Aj said quietly.
“Sure man.”
“Well, I’m just worried about Nick. I think this accident really got to him. I mean, he always gets so involved in things. He seemed fine when we were walking back here, but I don’t think he is. I just think it’s really important that we keep an eye on him for the next few days.”
Kevin nodded. “I know. And I was thinking, maybe we should go to the hospital tomorrow between the rehearsal and the show to see how she’s doing. It might be good for all of us to get some closure.”
“Sounds good!” Aj agreed, “Well, I guess we should get some sleep now, or at least try.”
“Yea. I’ll see you tomorrow morning then. 7:30 sharp. Goodnight.”
“Night bro.”
Chapter 3 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 3

“Man, I can’t believe that actually happened.” Brian said as he sat down on the floor in the rehearsal studio for a short break.
Nick had just told Brian and Howie what had happened the night before, and they were all sitting there, talking about it. It felt unreal to all of them.
“I’m really glad I wasn’t there. I mean, I get to sensitive when it comes to situations like that, and I guess I would have just been in the way. I can’t believe you actually sat with her all of the time, Nick. That really tells a lot about who you are, you know.” Brian continued.
“Yea, well I didn’t feel like I had much of a choice at that time. God, you should have seen her Bri. She looked so helpless lying there, and all I can think of right now is that her hand was so cold. Like ice.” Nick said, looking down at his hands.
“It must have been hard, man.”
Nick nodded, and quickly changed the subject. “So, when are we done here? I really wanna get some rest before the show. I didn’t sleep much last night”
“I don’t think there’s too much left now. I suggest we do ‘Just want you to know’ and ‘Crawling back to you’ a couple of more times, and we’re done. You guys agree?” Kevin said.
They all agreed and got ready to continue. As the guys walked over to the rehearsal area, Kevin approached Nick.
“Hey Nick, do you have a minute before we start? I wanted to talk to you about something.”
“Yea, sure.”
“Well, I talked to Aj, and we thought it might be a good idea to go down to St. James’ Hospital before the show tonight to see how she’s doing. You know, just to get some questions answered. You should come, Nick.”
Nick looked down again. Kevin noticed that he had been like that all day, never looking at the guys when they were talking to him.
“I don’t know Kev. I mean, what should I say to her? I mean, she doesn’t know us and we don’t know her. It will be awkward.”
“I think it will be good for her, letting her know that we care.” Kevin said, trying his best to convince Nick to come. “I think you need to do this for your own sake too. What happened last night affected you a lot, I can see that. Nick, I know you well enough to know that you need this, so please come with us.”
Slowly, Nick looked up. “Ok, I’ll come. But don’t expect me to go all sentimental over her, k?
“I won’t. We’ll leave right after we finish the rehearsal.”
Nick nodded and walked over to the other guys to start the rehearsal again.
15 minutes later, they weren’t even close to getting it right.
“Man Nick, you need to focus dude. At least sing in the right key!” Aj said frustrated.
“I am! It’s you guys that are off key!”
“Yea, we’re all off key, sure. This is your part,” Aj started singing Nick’s part.
“I know my part Aj,” Nick interrupted. “And that’s exactly what I was singing.”
“Umm,” Brian interfered, “Aj is right Nick. You are totally off key today.”
“Fine!” Nick said looking at Brian, “You know what? I can’t do this shit right now. This rehearsal is done!” He said and walked out of the room.
Howie sighted. “Well, that went well.”
“You know, that accident last night really got to him,” Kevin said, “I think we need to give him some space.”
“Dude, we don’t have time for space right now. We have a show tonight guys. I’m bringing him back in.”
“Aj, don’t.” Brian said, holding Aj back by his arm. “Kev’s right. Nick needs some time alone right now. And as for tonight, he knows his part. He’s just not focused right now. He’ll be ok tonight.” The other guys didn’t look too convinced. Brian continued. “Guys, we know him. He always gives a hundred percent. Seriously, we know these songs like the back of our hands, and so does he.”
“I agree with Brian.” Howie said. “Why don’t we all take a shower and get dressed, and I will drive you guys to the hospital. Brian, you should come too. You’re the only one who can make Nick talk about what he’s feeling, and he might need that afterwards.” Brian nodded in agreement.
“Sounds like a plan.” Kevin said.
“Well, at least don’t blame me if he messes things up tonight.” Aj said. “At least I tried.”
“He won’t mess it up Aj.” Brian said, “Come on, lets go get ready. I’ll see if I can find Nick to let him know we’re leaving.”
Chapter 4 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 4

The ride to the hospital was made in silence. Nick hadn’t spoken a word to the guys about what had happened at the rehearsal. He didn’t know what to say to them. He felt guilty for ruining the rehearsal, but he couldn’t help the way he acted. He didn’t realize it, but the accident had had a bigger effect on him then he knew.

“Ok, we’re here.” Howie said as he pulled up in front of the hospital’s main entrance. “Brian and I’ll just wait in the car. You take your time. We don’t have to be at the arena for another 3 hours.”
“Why don’t you come with us?” Nick said, “I mean you’ll understand our situation a lot better if you see her too.”
Kevin nodded. “Yea, Nick is right. We’re all a part of this now, and it will be a lot easier to deal with this if we’re all aware of the situation.”
“Yea, you’re right Kev.” Brian said.
“Ok, we’ll come,” Howie said, “I’ll just park the car, and I’ll meet you guys inside at the front desk.” They all agreed and stepped out of the car.
“See you in a bit,” Howie said as he drove away and the guys walked into the hospital.

“I’ll go over and ask what room she’s in.” Kevin said as they entered the hospital.
“I’ll come,” Aj responded following Kevin.
“Me too,” Nick started walking towards the front desk.
Brian was busy looking around. “Man, this place really gives…” He turned around to see the guys walking away. “Hey guys, wait up!” He said, walking fast to catch up with them.
The nurse behind the desk smiled welcoming as they approached her.
“Hi,” Kevin said, “You had a girl coming in here last night. She was hit by a car. She’s in her early twenties, dark hair…. Do you know where she is?”
“One moment please, I’ll check the computer.”
The guys nodded and waited for her to give them some information.
“Ah, well.” She said after a minute, “Our mysterious Jane Doe.”
The guys looked at her confused as she continued.
“We have no idea who she is. She didn’t have any identification on her, and no one has reported her missing, or called in to check on her. I believe you don’t know who she is either?”
“No, we were in the taxi that hit her. We just want to know if she’s ok.” Aj said.
The nurse continued. “She went through surgery last night. She had some internal bleeding that needed to be taken care of. We put her in an artificial coma until she’s strong enough to manage on her own.”
“So she’s gonna be ok then?” Nick asked, practically holding his breath.
“It seems so.” The nurse responded. “Her condition is critical, but stabile. A lot of it is up to her. Let’s just hope she’s a fighter.”
“So, can we see her?” Aj asked.
The nurse nodded, “Yes, room 113, but no more than 3 at a time, and you have to be very quiet. And also, be aware of all the machines, like don’t touch anything.”
“No m’am.” Aj said just as Howie joined them.
“Ready guys?” He asked. They all nodded, and walked over to the elevator.
“113, huh?” Nick said.
“Yup, that’s what she said.” Brian said.
“Bad luck” Nick whispered to himself as the door to the elevator opened, and they all entered.
“What?”
“113, bad luck.” He said a little louder this time. “13, you know. Bad number…”
“Right…” Brian answered, a little confused.
They all went silent as the elevator moved closer to the right floor. None of them knew exactly what to say. There had been a bit of a tension between them after what happened at the rehearsal, but no one had said anything about it. Neither of them wanted to bring it up, and especially not now, in this setting. They knew that it was going to be hard to face yesterday, especially for Nick who seemed to have taken it very hard.

The elevator reached the right floor, and they all walked into the deserted corridor. Kevin started walking, and they all followed. He seemed to have taken the lead when it came to the accident. He was always making sure that everyone was getting the right information, and he was always the one to speak when they were asked questions or had to approach someone. Aj and Nick especially, didn’t mind at all. They had too much on their minds anyway.
“Here it is,” Kevin said as they reached room nr 113. “So, the nurse said only three at a time, so we’ll have to split.”
“I’ll go first with Brian,” Nick said looking down. “I just wanna get this over with.” He moved closer to the door, ready to enter.
“Ok,” Kevin said, “We’ll just wait here then. Take your time.”
Brian walked over to the door to join Nick.
“Ready?” He said.
Nick only nodded and took a deep breath as Brian opened the door and they entered the room.
Chapter 5 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 5

The two boys slowly walked into the white room. The lights were dimmed and the only sound came from one of the machines that were attached to her body. Nick looked at the girl lying in the bed and was instantly reminded of the tragedy that happened the night before. He had thought about it all day, but seeing her lying there so helplessly made it all so real. It was like he couldn’t deny the fact that it had really happened. He slowly walked over to the bed, closely followed by Brian. For a while they just stood next to her, taking it all in and trying to find something to say that would make sense. She looked so fragile and pale. Part of her face was bruised, her arm was broken, and she had a nasty cut on her upper lip. But despite all this, Nick found himself thinking that she must be a very beautiful girl.

“I don’t know what to say…” Brian said, glancing over at Nick.
Nick shook his head.
“You read my mind. I don’t know either. I mean, God Brian, look at her. I wish I knew what to feel, but every time I think about it I get more confused. I don’t know her, but somehow I just can’t but help feeling sad. She doesn’t deserve this. No one does.”
“I know man. I wish we knew her name so that we could talk to her. I believe they say that people in a coma can hear you, and that it can help them return.”
“Well, we don’t have to know her name to talk to her, but I don’t think I’m ready to do that anyway. I’d feel awkward.”
Brian nodded.
“I know what you mean. Maybe later then…”
“Yea. Later.”

They fell silent again, lost in their own thoughts. Deep inside, Nick knew that he wanted to talk to her, but it would be weird to do it in front of Brian. He felt like that was something he wanted to do when he was alone with her. Not that he ever thought he would be, but maybe he’d try some other time if he ever saw her again.

“So, you wanna stay any longer?” Brian asked after a few minutes.
“Nah, I’m fine. Actually I think I need to be by myself for a while. You know, just clear my head.” Nick took one last look at the girl, before following Brian out of the room.

“So, how was it?” Aj asked as Brian and Nick walked over to the others.
“Hard.” Nick said. “I just need some fresh air. I’ll meet you guys out front when you’re done here. Take your time.” He said as he walked off towards the elevator without waiting for the guys to respond.
“What was that all about?” Aj asked Brian.
“I don’t know, but I think it was really hard for him to see her. It made it all a bit more real, I guess. You should be prepared for that too. She looks really bad, but still there’s something about her. I don’t know what it is, but I think Nick saw it too. She looks almost sad, although you can’t really see an expression on her face.”
Kevin looked confused.
“That doesn’t really make sense, but we’ll understand when we see her. You guys ready?”
“Yup.” Howie said, as Aj nodded.
“I’ll wait for you here.” Brian said, and the three guys walked into the room.

Later that night after the show, they were all hanging backstage. The tension between them was lighter, and Nick even seemed to be in a good mood. Aj was surfing the net on his laptop, Kevin was reading a magazine and the others were just watching Aj and Kevin.
“The show went well, I think.” Howie said.
“Yea, I know. I was so worried that Nick might fu*** it all up after what happened at the rehearsal today, but it was all good. No offence man.” Aj said to Nick looking up from the laptop.
“None taken.” He responded. “I know I was out of it earlier today. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you guys, but I really didn’t know how to react, you know.”
“Who’s Thor?” Aj said, changing the subject.
“Thor who?” Brian asked.
“I don’t know dude. I’m checking out the message board on Weird World, and they’re all talking about Thor.”
“Dawg, you don’t wanna know.” Nick said.
“What, you know?” Aj looked up from the screen again.
“Yea, sort of…”
“Well…”
“Well what?”
“Well, tell us!”
Nick shook his head. “I think you’ll be better off without knowing.”
“Aww, come on dude. You say A, you have to say B.”
“No, you said A, and I’m not saying B!”
“Nick, come on. I’ll find out eventually. I’ll just post a message under a different name asking someone to tell me.”
Brian nodded. “Yea Nick. Tell us!”
Nick sighted. “Fine, but promise you won’t laugh.”
“We won’t laugh” Brian said.
“Ok then. Thor is what the fans call my ****” He said, his face turning red.
There was silence for about two seconds before the guys burst out laughing.
“Guys, you promised not to laugh.” Nick said, his face now in a deep shade of purple.
“Man, I’m sorry,” Brian said under his breath, “but are you serious?”
“Yes Bri, I’m serious.”
“Dude, I want a name like that too!” Aj said, still laughing pretty hard.
“It’s a fan thing, Aj. It’s not like I asked them to name it. If they want you to have a name for it, they’ll find one, believe me! So, anybody hungry?” Nick said, trying to find a way to change the subject. It didn’t work though, and the guys spent the rest of the evening laughing about it.
Chapter 6 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 6

The next day, Nick was sitting in Aj’s living room, doing nothing. The guys were all staying at Aj’s place for the next week to look at suggestions for possible songs for their next album. Aj was the one who lived closest to the studio, and also the venue where they had their show the day before. It was the easiest solution for all of them to stay at his place. Brian and Kevin had also brought their wives, and off course Brian’s son Baylee. They had had the day off, and Nick had spent the entire afternoon on his laptop, surfing the net.

“Hey dawg, whazzup?” Aj said as he entered the living room.
“Hey Zeus!” Nick said
“Zeus? Who’s that?”
Nick grinned, “You.”
“Me?” Aj said confused, looking at Nick.
“Yup!” Nick nodded.
“Zeus?” Aj went quiet for a few seconds before his brain caught up. Then, suddenly his lips formed into a smile. “No way dude! Are you serious?”
Nick nodded again. “Yup. You’ve got yourself a name. Welcome to the club bro.”
“Wohoo!” Aj started doing a little dance on the floor of the living room, when Brian walked in, looking at Aj as if he had lost his mind.
“What’s going on?” He asked.
“Dude, I’ve got a name!”
Brian looked confused. “Umm… ok.” He said slowly.
“Guess what it is.” Aj said excited.
Brian looked even more confused, looking at Nick, trying to get an explanation.
“Umm… Aj?”
“No dawg! A name! You know, like Nick.”
“Your name is Nick?” Brian said, not following at all.
Nick interrupted. “The fans named his **** too.”
Brian rolled his eyes. “They did?”
Aj nodded. “Yup. Say hello to Zeus!”
“Umm, I’d rather… not.” Brian said as Nick started laughing and he continued. “I’ll just leave now, I think… yea leave... right.... good bye Zeus. Thor.” He said as he turned around and walked out of the room.

“So what are you up to?” Aj asked Nick, changing the subject.
Nick shrugged. “Nothing much. I was just kinda wondering if maybe I could umm… borrow your car. I have some things that I have to take care of.” He said, not looking at Aj.
“Sure man. What things?”
“Umm… nothing in particular, really. Just stuff.”
Aj looked at Nick suspiciously.
“Oh, ok. The keys are on the counter in the hall. We’re having a BBQ here at 6, so you might wanna be back by then.”
Nick stood up from the couch, “Yea, thanks. See ya later.”

Nick stood outside the door to room nr 113 wondering if he should enter or not. He had been lying awake the night before, thinking about what Brian said, about talking to her, and how that could help her in her recovery. He wanted to talk to her, but he was also scared that he might embarrass himself. What if she woke up while he was there? What if she could remember everything he said? What if he scared her, and only made things worse?
Nick shook his head. He decided to go inside, stay for a short time, and then leave without letting anyone know where he had been.

As he entered, he got the same feeling as he had the day before, the feeling that he wanted to leave, but still felt like he had to stay. He was drawn to her in a strange way, and even though he wanted to turn away, he couldn’t. There was something about the atmosphere in the room. He slowly walked over to her bed, and looked down at her. He thought she looked better than the day before. She was still pale, and her face was still swollen, but not so much. He pulled out a chair next to her bedside, and sat down, waiting for a moment before he spoke.

“Hi…” He said slowly and almost in a whisper. “I’m Nick.”
He let a few minutes pass not knowing what to say.
“So…” He said, tapping his fingers on the white sheets on her bed. “How are you?” He had to laugh at himself for asking. “Well, I guess that’s a stupid question.”
He fell silent again looking around the room. It looked cold and unwelcome. Next time, he had to remind himself to bring flowers.
“So… I don’t really… know you, but I wanted to see how you were doing.” He took her small, cold hand in his. “Your hands are cold…” He said.
Again, he didn’t know how to continue.
“I…. umm… I was in the car that hit you. I mean, I wasn’t driving. I was in the backseat with my friends. It was a taxi, actually. The driver didn’t see you, and it was raining so bad, and it was dark outside, we actually thought it might be a hurricane, and I don’t know why I’m trying to defend myself, and now I’m babbling, and I really need to… shut my mouth, now….” He said as his voice trailed off. “Way to go Nick,” he whispered to himself.
“So…” he said again. “I really wish I knew your name. You know, it would be easier to know who I was talking to. I mean, I could come up with one, like, temporarily. They call you Jane Doe, you know, but I don’t wanna call you that. Jane is my mom, and I don’t like her very much these days. I could call you, like peaches, or princess, or sleeping beauty, Cinderella, or snow white, and then I could be dopey or something, and I’m so babbling again now and I’m really sorry about that.” He sighted, putting his hand up to his forehead, “you’re pathetic Nick.” He sat there again, feeling stupid, and not knowing what to say.
“Ok, so I’m gonna leave now, before I make a bigger fool out of myself.” He slowly let go of her hand, stood up, and put the chair back in its place.
“So, maybe I’ll see you again then.” He sighted and looked down at her one last time.
“Bye,” he said as he turned his back to her bed and walked out of the room.
Chapter 7 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 7

As the days passed, the guys spent many hours in the studio everyday, listening to different songs and making demos of the ones they liked. Aj and Kevin seemed to have moved on from the accident. They still spoke about it occasionally, but in a lighter tone than they had before. Three days after the accident, they had all gone to visit her again, spending almost two hours with her, talking to each other and to her. The guys also believed that Nick felt a lot better too, even though they were still wondering about his frequently disappearances after they had been to the studio. What they didn’t know, was that Nick had been visiting their friend at the hospital every night since the first time he had been there by himself. He would ask Aj to borrow his car, making up different excuses about meeting friends, going to the movies, or just not say anything at all. He would then spend about an hour, sometimes more, by her side. During the last days, he had gotten really into talking to her. He didn’t feel stupid anymore, so he was mainly telling her about his day, the guys, what kinda songs they were discussing and things like that. He didn’t know why he felt the urge to see her so often, but he had thought about it, and come to the conclusion that he was curious. Curious to see if he was able to make a difference in her condition, by talking to her, holding her hand, or just being in the room. Six days had passed since the accident, and she was looking a lot better. Her bruises had disappeared, she wasn’t as pale anymore, and the nurse he had been talking to, said that it was only a matter of days until she would wake up. Nick didn’t know if he looked forward to it, or if he feared it.

She could feel her head pounding as she slowly moved her arm to cover her eyes. The room was so bright, it hurt. Her entire body was aching, head to toe. She opened her eyes just a little, but it hurt so much she had to close them again. A weak sound escaped from her lips, and little by little, she became aware of where she was. The sound of the machines next to her bed made a familiar sound, and the smell of plastic reminded her of a place where she had been too many times before. Slowly, her eyes adjusted to the bright light, and she could finally look around. Her heart sank as she realized that she indeed was in hospital. At first she thought it was all a dream. The sounds, the smells, the voices rushing down the corridor. It was real. She wanted to go back to sleep, but just as she was about to close her eyes again, a nurse entered the room. She dimmed the lights, to make it more comfortable, before she walked over to the bed, smiling. She was a tiny woman in her late 50’s, with short curly hair, and kind eyes.
“Hey there. About time you woke up.”
The nurse sat down on a chair placed by the bedside.
“How do you feel?”
It took a moment to get an answer. She could see that the girl was struggling to find the words.
“My head hurts.” She whispered, her voice sounding crispy.
The nurse immediately reached over for a glass of water and helped her drinking a few sips.
“Well, sweetie, I must say you have been quite a mystery to us for the past week. We have been searching for any kind of information on you for the entire week, but found none. Why don’t you tell me your name?”
“Cassidy.” She whispered.
The nurse smiled. “Well, Cassidy. It’s very good to see that you’re awake, and we will talk later on, but right now I think you need to rest some more. If I’m not wrong, you’ll have a visitor in a few hours.” She smiled at Cassidy.
“Visitor?” she looked confused. Who would be visiting her?
“To put it like this, I believe there’s someone who’s going to be very happy to see that you’re awake. Now, get some rest, and when you wake up, you might be surprised.” And with those words, the nurse walked out of the room, leaving Cassidy to wonder what she was talking about.

Nick arrived at the hospital at 7PM that night. He parked Aj’s car in his usual spot, and walked over to the main entrance and inside the building. The corridors seemed familiar to him now. He even started to recognize the staff, running around. As he got closer to her room, he saw a nurse walking towards him. He recognized her as the nurse he had spoken to a few days before about the girl’s condition. She walked up to him, reaching him just as he was about to enter the room.
“Hello there Nick.” She said with a smile.
“Hello Mary,” he said, remembering her name.
“Nick, let’s sit down for a moment, shall we?” She said, taking his arm and leading him over to a bench.
Nick got a concerned look on his face. ”Did something happen to her?” He asked as he felt his pulse rise.
They sat down next to each other.
“Well, actually. Something did happen.” She paused for a moment. “Nick, she woke up a few hours ago.”
Nick looked surprised. This wasn’t what he had expected. This was good news.
“She did?” He said, smiling for the first time since he got there.
Mary nodded. “Yes. I just thought you wanted to know. Cassidy will be just fine. She’s a bit sore, but she’ll be fine.”
“Cassidy? That’s her name?”
Mary nodded again.
Nick had to smile. Cassidy. He tasted it. It suited her, he thought. It was nice to finally have a name to refer to. But suddenly, he felt he was panicking. What would he say to her? She didn’t even know him. It felt weird knowing that the next time he saw her she might be looking back at him.
“Don’t worry hun. It will be fine.” Mary said as if she had read his mind. “Just go in there. She’s still asleep. You’ll have some time getting used to the thought.”
Nick only nodded. He stood up, walked over to the door, and slowly entered the room.
Chapter 8 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 8

Nick sat down next Cassidy’s bed. She was still sleeping.
It was different being in her room now. The machines had been switched off and she actually looked like someone sleeping, not someone fighting between life and death.
Nick placed his hand over hers. It wasn’t as cold anymore. He let out a sight of relief, and for the firs time, he actually believed that she was going to be ok. As the minutes passed, he got more and more used to the idea of her waking up and talking to him. He was still concerned about her reaction, but not so much anymore.

“Hi Cassidy.” He said. It felt strange using her name after all those days of wondering.
“It’s Nick. I’m just sitting here, waiting for you to wake up and talk to me.” He looked down at her. He wanted to keep talking to her, like he used to, but he was afraid that she might wake up and laugh at him. During the week that had passed, he had gotten so used to talk to her about his everyday life, that right now, it felt weird not to.
Suddenly, he felt her hand move, and he quickly pulled his own hand back. He felt his heart skip a beat and he shifted uncomfortably in his chair as she stirred and slowly opened her eyes. She let her eyes wander around the room, confused at first, but then she became aware again of where she was. It took a few moments for her to realize that she had a visitor, and when she did, she got a look of confusion in her eyes.

Nick didn’t know what to say at first. He felt weird sitting there, a stranger to her, and he didn’t even know if he should be there. She looked at him as if she was waiting for him to say something.
“Your eyes are green.” He said almost in a whisper.
“What?” She said. He was barely able to hear her.
‘God, did I just say that out loud?’ he thought to himself feeling stupid.
“I mean, umm… hi.” He said to her, smiling. She didn’t respond, and Nick thought she looked more confused now than before.
“I’m Nick. How are you feeling?”
“I’m sorry,” she whispered, “but who are you?”
“Oh, I’m Nick.” He held out his hand, but quickly pulled it back, realizing he had just said that. “Well, now I feel stupid.”
‘Did I just say that out loud again?’ he smacked his forehead.
“I’m sorry,” he said looking down at her. “I’m making a complete fool out of myself… I’m just really nervous, that’s all.”
“Why?” She asked.
“Well, I’ve been sitting here every night for the past week, wondering who you are, and if you were going to make it. It’s weird talking to you and finally getting a response, and I guess I’m nervous because I wonder what you will think of me.” His eyes were wandering around the room when he spoke, but as he finished, he looked back at her waiting for her to say something back to him.
“Could you please pass me that glass of water over there?” She whispered.
“Off course.” Nick reached over, and as he was about to give her the glass, he realized that she might need help. “Here, I’ll help you.” He supported her head with his hand and held the glass up to her lips. She took a few sips and leaned back to rest her head on the pillow again.
“Thank you.” She said. Her voice was clearer this time.
“No problem”
An awkward silence fell between them, and Nick wasn’t sure if he should ask her questions, or wait for her to speak first. He looked down at her again. She had turned her head towards the small window on the other side of the room, and seemed to be lost in her own thoughts. But suddenly, she spoke again.
“So, who are you again?” She asked without looking at him.
“Oh, right. Umm… I was in the car that hit you.” He continued telling her the whole story about what had happened the night a week before. When he was finished, she finally turned around and looked at him.
“Thank you, Nick, for staying with me all these days.”
He nodded. “No problem.” He paused for a few seconds, hesitating a little before he continued. “So, where is your family? I know they haven’t been here to see you. Do they live in a different city or state or something?” He asked, but as soon as he had said the words, he regretted it. Tears were forming in the corner of her eyes, and she turned away to hide them. She never answered his question.
“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.” He said apologetically.
“It’s ok.” She whispered. “I just don’t wanna talk about it.”
“I understand. Maybe you should get some more rest. I can come back tomorrow if you want me to.”
Cassidy shrugged, and sighed. “If you want to. But I don’t want you coming here only because you feel like you have to. I can manage on my own you know, and I don’t need your pity.”
Nick was taken back by her answer, and wanted to defend himself, but he didn’t want to make her think that he wanted to argue.
“I’ll see you tomorrow, Cassidy.” He said as he gave her a smile and walked out of the room.

‘Well, that was a strange visit…’ Nick though to himself as he was driving home. It hadn’t been quite what he had expected. She had acted distant, and although he knew that the accident had affected her, he had a strange feeling that there was another reason to her behavior. It was more to it than the physical damage the accident had caused her. Her reaction to the question about her family told him that much.
As he got closer to Aj’s house, he decided that he should tell the guys about what he had been up to the past week, and about Cassidy. He felt that it was only fair for them to know, and he actually felt exited about telling them.
Chapter 9 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 9

There was silence in the room. Nick had just told the guys about the past week and the visits he had been making to the hospital. At fist he had been exited about telling them, but then that excitement had turned into nervousness. He had been afraid that they might feel like he had been doing things behind their back, but surprisingly, they had been very understanding. Kevin had immediately suggested that they all should go and see Cassidy the next day, but Nick had been in doubts about that. He had told them that she had been distant and weak when he spoke to her, and he wanted to see her one more time by himself before the guys went. Just to make sure that she was ok.

The guys only had two more days before they were done with the first process of selecting songs. They would then have 2 weeks off before they would start recording.
“We’ll go see her the day after tomorrow, then.” Kevin said, and the others agreed.
“If she’ll let us.” Nick said. “Remember what I told you. She made it perfectly clear to me that she didn’t want anyone’s pity.”
“We’re not doing it because of that.” Aj said.
“No, I know, but she doesn’t.”
“So, it’s settled then,” Kevin continued, “If she wants us to come, we will. If not, we’ll go anyway.” The guys smiled, and even though they knew Kevin was only joking, they definitely wanted to go.

At the same time, Cassidy was lying awake in her bed, thinking about Nick’s visit earlier. She knew she had acted a bit distant and cold towards him, but she couldn’t help it. She felt bad though. He had only tried to be nice to her, but she didn’t know if she could trust him. He was a guy after all, and she had never met one who had had the right intensions towards her. Her mothers’ final words were echoing in her mind.

‘They’re all the same Cassidy. Don’t give in to them, you’ll only end up like me.’

Cassidy wiped away a few silent tears rolling down her cheek. She missed her mother so much, and the only thing she could do right now, was to live up to those words.
Her thoughts wandered back to Nick again. She didn’t want to think about him, but his kind blue eyes seemed to have been haunting her for the past few hours. She couldn’t decide if she liked him, or if she was mad at him for asking her about her family. But still, she had to remind herself that he couldn’t possibly know what had happened. Poor thing, he was so nervous, and he was only trying to make conversations. She decided that if he came back, she was going to try to act a bit friendlier towards him, although she knew it would be difficult. She didn’t want to break the promise she had given her mother. Cassidy sighted. She felt tired after being awake for several hours, and decided that she would try and get some sleep.

Later that night, Nick and Brian were sitting in Aj’s kitchen talking. They had just finished talking about Cassidy, and her reaction towards Nick, when suddenly they heard something move on the other side of the room. They turned around, and they both smiled.
“Hey there, little guy.” Brian said as a blond boy of 3 walked through the kitchen door.
“Wanna come and sit on daddys lap?” Baylee walked over to the kitchen table, but shook his head.
“Nick.” He said, pointing at Nick on the other end of the table.
“Aww, you wanna come and sit on my lap?” Nick said, reaching out for Baylee who walked around the table and over to him. Just as Nick was about to loft the boy up on to his lap, Baylee lifted his little arm and hit Nick hard right between his legs. Nick winched in pain.
“Ouch!” He yelled, as Baylee giggled. “That hurt. Did you see that?” He asked Brian. “Your son just pounced me in the crotch.”
Brian stood up, trying not to laugh as he walked around the table and bent down next to Baylee.
“Baylee! That was not a nice thing to do! Tell Nick you’re sorry.” Brian said looking at Baylee who firmly shook his head. Instead he raised his arm again, preparing for another attack.
“Oh, no you don’t.” Nick said looking at the boy and pointing a finger at him. Baylee took a small step forward, and hit Nick again, right at the same spot as before.
“Holy s***,” Nick yelled out loud.
“Nick, do not swear in front of him.” Brian said.
“What, seriously? He just punched me again, and you’re defending him.”
“Nick, he’s just a kid. He’s in a period right now where he just likes hitting things.”
Nick looked offended. “Things? Thor is not a thing. He’s my pride dude.”
Brian laughed, lifting Baylee up, and carried him to the other side of the table.
“Hey, what’s going on here?” Howie said as he and Aj walked into the kitchen.
“Baylee just punched Nick in the crotch.”
“Twice” Nick added.
Aj and Howie joined Brian in on the laugh and Aj went over to Baylee.
“Way to go dude.” He said, giving the boy a high five.
“Hey,” Nick said, whining a little. “What about me? What about Thor?”
Aj smiled. “You know, as long as Zeus is ok, I’m fine.”
“Aww, you guys suck.” Nick said and walked out of the room.
Chapter 10 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 10

It was in the afternoon the next day, and Cassidy was sitting in bed, reading a magazine and watching MTV as she heard a knock on the door.
“It’s opened” she said looking up. Nick walked through the door.
“Hi there.” He said, “Can I come in?”
Cassidy nodded, but didn’t say anything. She pressed the mute button on the TV remote control and put her magazine down next to her bed. Nick walked across the room and sat down next to her.
“How are you feeling?” He asked her.
“Better.” She forced a smile, remembering what she had told herself the day before about trying to be nice to him. Actually, she had been thinking about it all night too. She had to let him know that everything was ok, and maybe then he wouldn’t be so concerned that he had to come and see her every day. It would be better for her if he moved on and forgot about her. Then maybe she could move on too.
“Cassidy?”
She shook her head slightly and turned her attention back to Nick.
“Yes,” She said, looking at him.
Nick shook his head. “Nothing, you just looked kinda lost there for a moment.” He said.
“Oh…”
“So, how was your day?”
“It was fine. You can call me Cass, by the way.” She pushed back a strain of hair from her eyes.
Nick smiled at her. “Sure. How old are you Cass?”
“22. And you?”
“I’m 25”
Cass nodded. He looked younger, she thought. Or maybe he didn’t look younger, he just acted younger. She wasn’t sure.
“So tell me about yourself.” Nick said.
Cass hesitated. She didn’t know if she wanted Nick to know too much about her. Opening up to people wasn’t exactly her strongest side, and the few times she had, it always backfired.
“Umm… I don’t know. There isn’t much to tell, really. Why don’t you start?” She said, trying to avoid his question.
Nick looked at her, as if he knew she was hiding something. But then again, if she did, he knew exactly how it felt. He was wondering if he should tell her about him being a Backstreet Boy. He didn’t think she knew, at least, she hadn’t said anything to him about it.
“Ok… Well. I’m Nick.” He paused, and then laughed a little. “I feel like I have been telling you that more times then I should have, actually.” Cass smiled and nodded, as he continued. “I grew up in here in Florida, Tampa to be exact. I have three younger sisters and a brother. My parents got divorced a couple of years back, so I moved to LA after that. I’m staying at a friend’s house right now.” Nick looked at her, but found that her attention had been turned to the TV.
“Oh my God,” she whispered.
Nick followed her gaze over to the TV, and his heart sank as he watched himself singing in front of the burning car in the video for ‘Incomplete’.
“Oh…” He paused, “and I do…. that.” He said pointing at the TV.
“Oh my God.” She said again, never taking her eyes off the screen. “That’s you.”
“I know.” Nick said, not knowing where to look. He suddenly felt very uncomfortable. He truly didn’t want her to know just yet, but that was too late now. “I was getting to that part.”
“You’re a Backstreet Boy.” She said, still in a whisper. It was more a statement than a question, but Nick decided to answer it anyway.
“Last time I checked, yea.” He said, trying to loosen up the mood. Cass had turned on the volume on the TV by then, and was watching the video without really paying attention to Nick’s comment. Nick watched her throughout the song, and as it finished she turned off the volume again and turned to him.
“I can’t believe I didn’t know. I feel stupid now.” She said apologetically.
“No, don’t! I’m glad you didn’t know. It gave me the chance to let you see the real me, at least for a short time. I hate it when people judge me before they have spoken to me.”
“Didn’t you use to date Paris Hilton?” Cass asked curiously, forgetting that she really didn’t want to get to know him.
Nick sighted. “Well, yeah. But that’s a part of my past that I really don’t like to talk about,” he said honestly. “We’re not exactly friends anymore, to put it that way.”
“Oh.” She nodded.
“But, now that we are talking about me being who I am, I wanted to ask you something.”
“Ok.” Cass said.
“Well, the guys, you know the other four in the group, wanted to know if they could come and see you too, tomorrow. They really wanna say hi.”
Cass hesitated. She knew deep inside that she didn’t want to meet them. It would only make it harder for her to forget. But she felt like she owed Nick something for being so nice to her, and for being such an idiot back.
“I don’t know Nick…” She said. “I’m really not a social person. I’ll only feel stupid. I mean, I don’t know much about you guys. I mean, I’ve heard some of your songs, but I don’t even know your names. I wouldn’t even recognize you if I walked past you on the street”
Nick laughed. “Hey, that doesn’t matter. They just want to meet you and see how you are.”
“Well, can’t you tell them that I’m fine and leave it with that?” She almost begged.
“Cass, if you don’t want them to come, just say so. I won’t get mad.”
Cass sighted and shook her head. “It’s not that I don’t want to Nick. I guess I’m just nervous about it, that’s all. I mean, now that I know who you are and everything.”
“But it’s ok that I bring them, then?” Nick begged, looking at her.
Cass had to smile. “Why are you giving me that look? You’re not helping Nick.”
He kept looking at her.
Finally, she gave in. “Ok, ok. But they can’t stay for long. Not more than 30 minutes.”
Nick smiled at her. “Great. They are going to be so happy when they hear this. They’re really looking forward to meet you, Cass.”
“Well, I wish I could say the same about them.” She sighted, suddenly regretting that she had agreed to see them.

They continued to talk for almost an hour, until Nick decided that it was time to leave. Afterwards, Cass lay in bed thinking about what had happened. Nick being a Backstreet Boy suddenly changed everything. She knew she definitely couldn’t trust him now. Even though she actually had had a good time that afternoon, she knew that it didn’t matter. At the same time, she felt relieved. He would most likely leave soon to go on tour or something anyways, and that meant that she would probably never see him again. In her mind, that suited her just fine, but her heart told her otherwise.
Chapter 11 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 11

“You know, I just don’t know what to do.” Cass said.

She was talking to Mary, the nurse, who had decided to see how the girl was doing. Mary had been so nice to Cass, bringing her food, magazines, and always making sure that she was alright and had everything she needed. Mary was the only one at the moment that Cass could talk to without being afraid of having to trust her. Her kind eyes always made her feel safe and her warm smile reminded Cass about her grandmother who passed away years before.

“Why? Tell me dear.” Mary said in her British accent.
Cass shook her head. “I don’t know Mary. I’m so confused right now. So many bad things have happened in my life the past years, and being here, only make things more confusing.”
“Would you like to talk about it?” Mary asked concerned. There was silence for a moment. Cass wanted to tell her, but she was afraid to open up to her. By doing that, she was once again letting herself know the truth. Mary sat there, waiting for Cass to continue. Slowly, Cass looked up and nodded.
“I just don’t know where to start…” Her eyes were filled with tears. “I’ve never spoken to anybody about this, and I just don’t know how to…”
“Honey.” Mary took Cassidy’s hand. “I am not going to force you to tell me, but I know that keeping it to yourself won’t help in the long run. You have to be honest to yourself at one point, and I’m more that willing to help you.”
Cass sniffed and nodded. She wiped away her tears and began talking.

“I’m an only child. My parents were never married, but they had been together for over six years when I was born. When I was ten, my dad suddenly just left. It broke my mom’s heart… and mine. He never came back, or made any effort to keep in touch. Four years later, my mom got married to this guy, Noel. He was really nice to us at first, but after about two years, he changed. Everything changed.” She paused. She could feel her eyes swelling up again. Mary squeezed her hand and Cass continued.

“One night when I was sixteen, I came home and found my mom on the kitchen floor. She had been beaten so badly that she was barely conscious. I called an ambulance, and she stayed at the hospital for two weeks. Noel didn’t come to see her once. I tried to convince my mom to leave him, but she was so scared, Mary.” Cass was crying now, and she had a hard time talking. But she knew she couldn’t stop now.

“She went back to him, but things only got worse after that. I remember lying in bed at night and listening to him screaming at her and beating her. I was so scared, you know. I didn’t know what to do, so I stayed in my room most of the time. I have no idea how many times she ended up in hospital after his beatings, and every time, she always went back to him.
I didn’t have any friends, because I was afraid that someone might find out what was going on at our house.” Cass sighted and wiped away a few more of the tears rolling down her cheek.
“One night, three years ago I was sitting in my room, and I could hear them fighting again. I tried not to listen, but I could hear him beating her, and her screaming out in pain. I ran downstairs and saw her running out the front door. I tried to follow her, but Noel was blocking the door. I remember screaming out my mom’s name and hitting him with every bit of the strength that I had. He finally let me pass, and I ran out seeing my mom drive away.”

Cass was crying so bad that her whole body was shaking. The memories from that night washed over her, and the pain she felt were almost as real as it had been that night eight years ago.
“She was in a car accident that night. Noel had beaten her so bad that she lost consciousness while she was driving. She was brought to the hospital, but there was nothing they could do to save her. I was sitting right next to her when she died. She was only conscious for a short period of time. She spoke to me, Mary. Her last words are still haunting me. ‘They’re all the same Cassidy. Don’t give in to them, promise me that. You’ll only end up like me.’ She said. Then she died.”
“Oh, Cass. I’m so sorry.” Mary was crying too now. She didn’t know what to say. She felt so sorry for the girl, and she could only imagine losing someone that way. Cass was rocking back and forth, crying like baby.
“There’s more, Mary.”
Mary looked at Cass, stroking her hair. “You don’t have to tell me Cass. I can see what this is doing to you.”
Cass shook her head. “No, I want to continue. I can’t stop now. I just want to get it over with. You were right. It hurts now, but I think it will be better in the long run.”
Mary only nodded and let Cass continue.

“After my mom died, Noel forced me to move in with him. I mean, I didn’t have anywhere else to go, but I was so scared and so angry. He had killed my mom, and there was nothing I could do to prove it. He threatened to hurt me of I spoke to anybody about it, so I kept it to myself. One night about a month after her death, I was asleep in my bed when I woke up seeing Noel standing over me…” Her voice trailed off and she had to gather her thoughts a little before she continued.
“I didn’t have the time to react, and before I knew it he was holding me down and forcing himself on to me.” She cried even harder now, if possible.
“Oh, Mary, I didn’t know what to do. He was so strong and I couldn’t do anything to keep him away from me.” She put her head in her hands, and Mary stroked her back.
“It’s ok Cassidy. Just let it all out.” A few minutes passed before Cass continued.
“He kept coming into my room at least three or four times a week after that. Eventually, I didn’t even do anything to resist him. I just let him finish what he came for. Then, about a year and a half after my mom had passed away, I found out that I was pregnant. I was almost 21 by then. I decided to tell him one night. He got so mad, calling me a wh*** and beating me so bad that I ended up losing the baby.”
“Oh my…” Mary couldn’t believe what Cass was telling her.
“And the worst part is that I wasn’t even sorry. I didn’t want his baby.” She was sobbing now. Her voice wasn’t as sad anymore. She almost sounded angry, or bitter.
“The night I ended up here, I was running away from him. I can’t go back there Mary. I can’t let him win. And staying here is only making me more confused.”
Mary nodded to show that she understood her situation.

“Nick, right?” She said.
Cass looked down.
“Yea…Did you know that he’s famous?” Mary shook her head.
“He’s in a group called the Backstreet Boys. You know, I had such a good time with him today, but I just can’t trust him. I can’t forget my mom’s final words, but at the same time, I can’t forget his smile either. I don’t want to give in to him. It’s too soon. I just want to get out of here, and forget that I ever met him, but I don’t have anywhere to go.” She was crying again now.
“Well,” Mary said, hesitating, “you can come and stay with me for as long as you need Cassidy.”
Cass shook her head, and smiled a little. “No, I couldn’t. I don’t want to interfere.”
“Oh dear, you won’t interfere at all. It will only be nice to have some company.”
Cass looked at Mary. “Are you sure?” she asked.
Mary smiled. “Yes, I’m sure. I want to help you Cassidy.”
“Oh Mary, thank you so much,” Cass said, and threw her arms around Mary’s neck. For the first time, she had something to look forward to, a ray of light to help her start her new life.
“Do you know when I will be able to leave this place? I just want to get out of here as quickly as possible. I want to forget about everything, about Nick, about my past. Everything.”
“I don’t know Cassidy, but I’ll find out for you ok? I think you need to rest now. It’s been a long day for you. Will you be ok?”
Cass nodded and wiped away the last of her tears.
“Good. I’ll talk to you tomorrow then.” Mary gave her a quick hug, and walked out of the room.
Chapter 12 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 12

“And remember what I told you guys…”
“Yes, we know Nick. Don’t ask questions…” Aj said
“… And especially not about her family” Brian continued.

The guys were on their way to the hospital to see Cass. Nick was so exited about the visit and had been talking about it non stop since he got home from the hospital the night before. He didn’t want to admit it, but he felt proud of himself for getting Cass to open up to him. He still felt like she was holding something back, but at least she was talking to him. As they sat in Howie’s car he was again informing the guys about the situation and what they should and shouldn’t do. In a way he felt responsible for making sure that the visit went as smooth as possible.

“You have to be prepared that she might treat you the way she treated me the first time. You know, she didn’t really want you to come today.” Nick said, as they pulled up in front of the hospital.
“Gee… Now I feel really loved.” Howie said rolling his eyes.
“No dude. I didn’t mean it like that. I mean, she wants to see you, but she’s nervous, you know. Now that she knows who we are.”
“Would it be different if she didn’t know?” Kevin asked.
Nick shrugged, “I don’t know. Actually, I don’t think it would make a difference. I think she’s only using it as an excuse. I think she’d be just as nervous if she didn’t know.”
“We’ll just let you run the show then.” Kevin said.
Aj raised his eyebrows. “Dude, we have to be allowed to talk to her.” He said as the guys stepped out of Howie’s car.
“Your definition of talking isn’t exactly appropriate, Aj. If you start flirting with her, she’s gonna freak out.” Nick said.
“I won’t flirt with her, man. I just wanna let her know who I am, and that I’m a nice guy.”
Nick rolled his eyes. “Sure, but if you scare her, I’m gonna kick you’re a**.” He said trying to sound threatening.
“Aww… isn’t that cute.” Brian walked over to Nick putting an arm on his shoulder. “Our little Nicky is trying to defend her.” He said pinching his cheek.
Aj laughed. “Yea, he so has a crush on her.”
“I do not.” Nick said, pouting.
“You so do” Aj said
“Do not.”
“Do too”
“Do not”
“Do…”
“Guys stop it. So Nick has a little crush on her, so what? Leave him alone Aj” Howie said.
“I do…” Nick started arguing again.
“…not have a crush on Cass!” Brian finished. “We know Nick.” He said as they walked into the hospital.
Nick crossed his arms over his chest and stopped inside the main entrance to get ready to defend himself even more.
“I don’t” he protested.
The guys just rolled their eyes and continued to walk towards the elevators.
‘Man.’ Nick mumbled to himself. “Guys, wait up!”
He walked after them over to the elevator and stepped inside. A few moments later they were at the right floor, and as they walked closer to room nr 113, Nick felt he was getting more and more nervous. He didn’t know why, but he had a strange feeling that something was different this time. The corridor was so quiet and not a single sound was heard. If he hadn’t been there as many times as he actually had the past week, he would have thought he was at the wrong floor. But as they stood outside room 113, he knew they weren’t. He took a deep breath, and spoke.

“Ready guys?”
They all nodded. Nick opened the door to the room, and they all walked inside.
As they entered, Nick’s heart skipped a beat.
The room was empty. They all fell silent for a few seconds. The bed had been made; the flowers that Nick had bought her were gone, and the room looked like it just had been cleaned.
“Where is she?” Aj said confused.
Nick shook his head. “I don’t know. She didn’t tell me she’d be transferred today.”
“Well, she must have mentioned something. I mean, she knew we were coming, right?”
“Maybe she didn’t know she’d be transferred.” Kevin said.
“I think we should ask someone.” Howie looked at the guys. “She’s obviously not here, so there’s no need to stay here and wait.”
Just as the guys were about to leave the room, a nurse entered. Nick didn’t recognize her.
“May I help you?”
“Yes, can you please tell us where to find Cassidy?”
The nurse looked at them, “Oh… I’m sorry, but she’s gone.”
Chapter 13 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 13

“What? What do you mean gone?” Nick asked, panic spreading across his face. The other guys held their breaths as they waited for the nurse to continue.
“Well, she left this morning.”
“Left where?” Nick sounded almost angry.
“I don’t know…” The nurse said, almost excusing herself. “She was released earlier today. I don’t know where she is now. I’m sorry…” She said, as she began to walk away.
“Wait!” Nick grabbed her arm and held her back. “Do you know where I can find any information on her? Her last name, an address, anything?” He was almost begging her to give away information she did not have.
The nurse shook her head. “I’m sorry. I don’t know, and I can’t help you either. The hospital isn’t allowed to give out that kind of information. It’s confidential and is only available to the staff. I’m really sorry.” The guys felt sorry for her. She was young, and seemed to be very unsure about what she was and wasn’t allowed to say. They could tell she was sorry though.
Nick looked down. He put his hands in his pockets and tried to hide the disappointment he felt.
“It’s ok.” He shrugged. “It wasn’t a big deal anyways.” He turned around and walked over to the elevators, leaving the guys standing in the corridor not knowing what to do. Nick walked into the elevator and disappeared as the doors closed. The nurse looked at the four guys.
“Is he ok?” she asked.
“He will be.” Kevin said without looking at her.
The nurse nodded slowly and then walked away in the opposite direction of the elevators.
“I feel really bad now, for teasing him earlier…” Aj said sounding sorry.
Brian nodded. “I know, but the worst part is that I think you were right. I really do think that he has feelings for her.”
The boys went silent for a few moments. Neither of them knew what to say.
“I’ll go talk to him. We’ll meet you at the car.” Brian said and walked away to find Nick.

Brian walked out of the hospital and looked around. He spotted Nick sitting on a bench across the one of the parking lots, and made his way over.
“Hey,” he said, sitting down next to Nick.
Nick didn’t answer. He was leaning forward, resting his arms on his legs, and looking down.
“You ok?”
He nodded slightly, running a hand through his hair. Brian placed a hand on Nick’s shoulder.
“It’s ok to say you’re not, you know.” Brian said.
Nick slowly sat up. “I’m fine, ok?” He snapped. There was anger and hurt in his voice, and Brian instantly knew that he was lying. He sighted.
“Nick, I know you. And I know you’re denying the fact that you’re upset because she left without telling you.”
Nick didn’t answer. The two boys just sat there for a while without saying anything. Brian felt sorry for his friend. He knew that Nick had a hard time opening up to people
“I just don’t understand why she didn’t tell me she was leaving.” Nick finally spoke. “I mean, I sat by her side for over a week, and yet she treats me this way. I really wanted to get to know her Bri, but how am I supposed to find her now? I know nothing about her. We had a great time yesterday, and now she’s gone. I was so looking forward to see her again.”
“Well, we’ll just have to find her then. Won’t we?”
Nick looked up at Brian.
“Seriously?”
“Well, you can’t give up on love, man. Can you?” Brian smiled.
“It’s not love Bri, I hardly know her. It’s more like I’m… I don’t know… infatuated.”
“Infatuated?” Brian laughed a little. “When did you start using words like that?”
Nick shrugged “I don’t know. Like… now?”
“You’re weird Nicky.”
Nick laughed and nodded. “Yea, yea, I know. I hate the fact that Aj was right though. He’ll make fun of me for the rest of my life now.”
“We all knew he was right Nick. I mean, you do talk about her a lot, and it’s easy to see that you like her, and we haven’t even seen how you two are when you are together.”
Nick looked puzzled. “Is it that bad?”
“Yea, pretty much.” Brian nodded and laughed again as he stood up. “Ready to leave? We have a lot to do if we’re going track down a girl that we know nothing about.”
Nick stood up, and they both started walking towards the car.
“Well, we do know a few things about her.”
“Like what? Her name is Cassidy and she’s twenty two?”
“Yea… that.”
Brian sighted. “That’s all you know about her?”
Nick nodded. “Yea, sorry man… She never really told me much about herself.”
“Then what did you talk about?” Brian asked.
Nick shrugged. “I don’t know. Stuff…”
“Stuff?”
“Yea, you know. Music, books, you…”
“Well, you should ha… me?”
“Yea, well not just you. The group you know.”
“What about us?”
Nick and Brian had reached the car and were joined by the other guys.
“Never mind, Aj.” Nick said.
“Tell them Nick,” Brian said, poking him in the side.
“Tell us what?” Howie said.
Brian looked at Nick, who didn’t look like he was about to say anything, so he decided to tell the guys himself.
“We’re going to try and see if we can find Cassidy.”
The guys looked surprised.
”But you know nothing about her” Aj said.
Nick shrugged. “Yea, well, we’ll try anyways. Starting now.”
Chapter 14 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 14

“So, where do we start?” Brian said.
They were all sitting in Aj’s living room, discussing what to do to find Cassidy. The guys had decided to stay at Aj’s place until they started recording again. Leighann and Brian had decided to take the two weeks in Florida as a vacation, as had Kevin and Kristin.
“Why are we even doing this?” Aj asked popping down on the couch next to Howie. “Because Nicky has a crush?”
“No.” Nick said, “I mean, yes… I don’t know man.”
He stood up from the chair he was sitting in and started pacing around the room. “I mean, I like her. But somehow I have this feeling that she needs my help or something. You didn’t see her when she was talking to me yesterday. Every time I asked her to tell me something about her, she changed the subject. I don’t know, I just want to see her again and make sure that everything is ok I guess.”
“So this has got nothing to do with you liking her.” Aj asked with doubt in his voice.
“Well, of course it has. But that’s not the main reason. Now are we going to get started here, or what?” Nick stopped pacing and looked over at the other guys. They all nodded.
“Yea, sorry bro, didn’t mean to sound doubtful or anything. Just checking, you know.” Aj said apologetically.
Nick nodded. “Yea, I know.”
“So, again, I ask. Where do we start?” Brian said.
“Well, I thought about this on our way back here, and I think we should at least look around malls, café’s and stuff. You know places where people her age hang out.” Howie said.
“And I think it would be a good idea if some of us went to a few local colleges and looked through the year books. I mean, we know how old she is, so there aren’t that many books to look through.” Nick said, sitting down again.
“Well, what if Aj and D go and look around the area and the rest of us can visit one of the high schools today.” Kevin said.
“Yea,” Howie agreed. “Aj knows most about the area.
“Ok, then. Let’s go.” Nick said, as they all got up and got ready to leave.

“It is so nice of you to let me stay here, Mary. You have no idea how grateful I am.” Cass and Mary were sitting in Mary’s kitchen having a cup of tea. Cass had been released earlier that day, and had spent the next couple of hours getting to know her new room mate.
“Oh sweetie, it’s no problem at all.” Mary smiled and reached out to touch Cass’ hand.

Mary lived in an apartment just outside the city. It was nothing luxurious, but it was cosy and warm, and very English. Cass liked it from the moment she walked in.

Cassidy was slowly sipping her tea. Her thoughts were drifting off to where she didn’t want them to be. She found herself thinking of a pair of blue eyes belonging to Nick. She hated herself for letting her thoughts drift in his direction, but she couldn’t help it. He had made her doubt what she had always believed. The fact that all men were jerks, and that she couldn’t trust them. She hated to admit it, but deep down she knew he wasn’t like them.

“Are you thinking of Nick again?” Mary asked.
Cassidy smiled a little and nodded. “Yea, I guess so… I just can’t seem to get him out of my mind. And I don’t even want to think of him.” Cassidy said
“Well, you know what? We need to take your mind off this boy for a few hours. You need some clothes. I’m taking you shopping!”
“But I don’t have any money.” Cass said looking down.
Mary smiled. “Don’t worry about that honey. Money isn’t important.”
“But at least let me pay you back as soon as I get a job. I was looking through the paper ads and I think I’m going to apply to some of them.”
“We’ll talk about that later Cassidy. Now, let’s go and get you some new clothes.”
Mary stood up, grabbed Cassidy’s hand and walked towards the door.

Nick, Brian and Kevin had arrived at one of the local high schools and had gotten permission to look through the archive that contained all the year books from 50 years back. They had decided to concentrate on the ones from the period 1999 – 2001 based upon Cassidy’s age. There weren’t that many books, but they wanted to take their time and make sure that they didn’t miss anything.
“Man, some of these kids look so young.” Kevin said as he was looking at the pictures.
“I know,” Brian agreed, “and the girls all look the same.”
“Don’t look at the pictures Rok; it’s the name that we’re interested in. We might not even recognize her on the picture. People change a lot now days you know.” Nick said.
“Aj would have been in heaven looking at these pictures. Some of these girls are pretty man.”
Nick shook his head. “The names Bri, not the pictures. The names.” He said, pointing at the names in his book written below the pictures.
“Yea, yea. I know.” Brian said as he continued to look through the pages.
“Hey, I found…Oh, never mind.” Kevin said interrupting himself.
“What?” Nick said, putting down his book, and walking over to Kevin.
“I just found a Cassidy, but she’s Asian, so…”
“Oh.” Nick sounded disappointed and went back to his book again.

After another hour, they still had nothing.
“Man, there are so many girls here named either Jessica, Jennifer or Sarah.” Brian said, putting down yet another book without any result.
“But no Cassidy…” Nick whispered without looking up from his book.
“Hey, light up bro.” Kevin said. “We’ll find her. You just have to be patient.”
“Yea, well it’s not looking too good right now, is it?”
“We just started Nick. We have two weeks before we start recording again. Plenty of time.”
“Did you hear anything from Aj and Howie?” Brian asked.
Nick shook his head. “Nope, maybe I should call them.”
Kevin nodded. “I think you should. Maybe they found out something.”
“I think they would have called it they did, but I’ll call them anyway.”
Nick pulled out his cell phone and dialed Aj’s number.

“Hey Bone.”
“Hey Nicky”
“Found anything yet?”
“No, sorry. We’ve been asking people in the neighborhood where we hit her if anyone knows her, or knows about her, but we’ve had no luck so far. What about you guys?”
“Nothing.” Nick said, sitting down on a chair.
“We’re headed to one of the malls now, to see if we can find her there.”
“What mall?” Nick asked. “Maybe we can meet you guys there when we’re done. We only have a few books left, so it shouldn’t be that long.”
Aj gave Nick the name of the mall they were going to, and they hung up.

“Hey Mary, what do you think of these?” Cassidy was holding up a pair of low cut jeans.
“I like them. Why don’t you try them on too?”
Cassidy nodded and went to try on the outfits she had selected. Mary had been right, she thought. Going shopping had definitely kept her mind off things. She enjoyed shopping with Mary. Cassidy had always wanted a grandmother figure in her life, and finally, she had one, or at least close to one.
“Do they fit?” Mary said from the other side of the door.
“Perfect!” Cassidy smiled to herself.

The guys were wandering around the mall, looking around.
“Do we even know what we’re looking for?” Howie asked.
“Duh…Cassidy.” Nick said looking at Howie.
“Nick, seriously. What are the chances that she’s here, at this exact mall, right now?”
Aj nodded in agreement. “Yea, Nick. Don’t get your hopes up. There are better ways to try and find her.”
“I know guys, but we just have to try, right?”
None of the guys said anything, but just continue walking.
“Hey, you guys wanna grab a bite?” Kevin asked.
“Yea ok.” Nick said. “There’s a McDonald’s right over there.” He turned around and pointed in the direction. Suddenly, he froze dead in his tracks.
“Nick, what’s wrong?” Brian asked, walking over to Nick.
Nick shook his head, as he was trying to get rid of a thought.
“Nothing. I just thought I saw a girl who looked a lot like Cass. I’ll be right back.” He said and took off in the direction of where he thought he had seen her. By the time he reached the shop, she was gone.
Chapter 15 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 15

“Guys, this is useless. We are not going to find her. I know you think you saw her Nick, but that was two hours ago. She’d be gone by now anyways.” Howie said as they walked past the same record store for the fifth time.
Nick sighted. “I know. But I’m just so certain it was her. I just don’t want this chance to slip away. But you’re right D. I think we’re all pretty tired now. The mall closes in half an hour anyways.”
The guys walked back to Aj’s car and headed home, deciding that they would continue the search the next day.

Cass and Mary had finished their little shopping adventure, and Mary was now sitting in her living room. Cass had gone out a few hours earlier to see if she could get a job, and Mary was expecting her back any minute. Right at that moment, Mary could hear the front door open and seconds later, Cass walked into the living room.
“I got a job!” She said exited, popping down on the couch next to Mary.
“Oh, sweetie that’s great.” Mary gave the girl a hug. “What kind of job?”
“It’s nothing fancy really, but at least it’s something. I’ll be working night shifts at a bar downtown called “Spider”. Mainly, it’s cleaning off tables and stuff, like I said, nothing fancy, but the money isn’t that bad.”
“That sounds great Cassidy.” Mary smiled. “When do you start?”
“They said they needed me as soon as possible, so I’ll start tomorrow at midnight. And I have to work until after the guests have left and the place is cleaned up.”
“Well, then we have to celebrate!” Mary stood up from the couch and dragged Cass with her into the kitchen. “Come on. I have ice cream.”

The next day, Nick, Brian and Kevin headed to another local high school to see if the would have better luck there, then what they had the day before. Again, they had been led to an archive full of books from the 50s and up until the present.
“Well, here we go again…” Nick sighted and opened the first book. Brian and Kevin did the same. “And remember guys. Concentrate on the names, and not the pictures, k?”
They nodded, and began looking through the pages.
After one hour, they still had nothing. They were starting to get tired of looking, and Kevin was about to suggest that they should take a break, when Brian suddenly began laughing.
“What?” Nick said, looking at Brian.
Brian just continued to laugh while gesturing for Kevin to come and have look. Kevin walked over and Brian pointed at something in the book. It only took a few seconds for Kevin to join Brian in on the laughter. Nick just sat there with a confused look on his face.
“What?” He asked again, not bothering to stand up and check for himself.
Brian walked over to him a few moments later with the book to show Nick what they were laughing about. He put the book down in front of Nick and pointed at a name below a picture. Nick looked at it.
“Odd Middlefart” He read out loud. “Odd Middlefart? Seriously?” He started laughing.
“He’s an exchange student from Europe. I think it’s a common name over there. (And if you were wondering… yes, that is someone’s name. Although, where I come from, it doesn’t exactly have the same meaning as it does in English) It just sounds so weird. Poor guy, he must have had a hard time staying here because of that name.” Brian said, still laughing pretty hard.
“Man, I can’t believe he even dared coming here.” Kevin said, standing up.
The guys spent a few more minutes laughing about it before they went back to the books.
After two more hours, they still hadn’t found anything. They had finished looking through the last book, and decided to head back to Aj’s to have dinner.

“You know what?” Aj said as they were all sitting around the dinner table a few hours later. “I say we hit the town tonight. We haven’t had a chance to go out ever since the accident and I think we need to have some fun. Who’s with me?”
“I am.” Howie said exited.
“Me too.” Kevin agreed.
“Me three” Brian said.
“I don’t know guys. I really don’t feel like partying right now.” Nick looked up from his plate.
“Aww, Nick. Come on. You need to do something to get your mind off things.” Aj looked at Nick trying to persuade him. “It’s just one night. Tomorrow we’ll start looking for her again.”
“I don’t know…”
“Nick, come on. Aj’s right.” Brian said agreeing.
Nick sighted. “Ok… I’ll come.”
“Great! We’ll leave in couple of hours then.” Aj said.
The guys finished their meals and went to get ready for a night out.

Nick was sitting in the bar drinking a beer. It was close to midnight. Aj and Howie were on the dance floor surrounded by girl and Brian and Kevin were having a conversation across the room. Nick was getting a little drunk after too many beers and a few drinks, and was lost in his own thoughts as he heard a voice whisper in his ear.
“You look lonely. Want some company?”
Nick turned around and saw a blond girl staring at him. She looked young. Almost too young to even be there. But she was very pretty, and Nick only nodded his head as she sat down next to him.
“I’m Sam.” She said looking directly into his eyes.
“Nick” He forced a smile.
“I know who you are.” Sam said placing a hand in his thigh. Nick shifted uncomfortably, but didn’t remove her hand. He looked at her doubtfully. She smiled and licked her lips, and before he knew it, she had pressed her lips on his. He was surprised how straight forward she was, but he didn’t pull away. He was making out with a girl he didn’t know and had just met, but he was too drunk to even care.

Cass was exited about staring her new job, so she arrived early. She entered the back door and sat down on a chair in the staff’s room. After a few minutes, her new boss Mike entered the room.
“Hey, you’re early.” He said, standing in the doorway.
Cass smiled. “Yea, I know. I didn’t want to be late on my first day.”
“Well, then I have a suggestion. Why don’t you and have a look around. See what kinda people who come here. Get to know the place a bit better.”
“Sure, sounds like a good idea.” Cass stood up and followed Mike out of the room.
“You know, we get a lot of celebrities coming here, so you better prepare yourself.” Mike said as they entered the bar area. “Have a look around and come back here in 15 minutes, and I’ll show you what to do.”
Cass nodded and walked away. She looked around. There were quite e few people there. The dance floor was packed. All the tables around were taken, and there were a lot of people hanging at the bar ordering drinks. Cass stopped and stared at a couple making out by the bar. They seemed to be very into each other. She started walking in a different direction, but suddenly froze dead in her tracks. She looked over at the couple again, her heart beating very fast. It couldn’t be…
“Nick…” She whispered to herself.
Chapter 16 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 16

Cass closed her eyes, and turned around. Her head was spinning and her heart was beating faster than the rhythm of the music on the dance floor. She was afraid to look at Nick again, so she walked out of the room and back to the staff room. She was standing in the middle of the room, when she heard someone coming up behind her.
“That was fast.” Mike said.
Cassidy took a deep breath, put a fake smile on her face and turned to face him.
“There were so many people out there that I could hardly move around.” She said, which was true, but of course not the main reason why she was back so fast.
“Oh, well. Let’s get you started then, shall we?”
Cassidy nodded as Mike continued.
“I’ll give you a few minutes to change into your working outfit. There’s a toilet over there. You can change in there. I’ll just wait for you here.”
Cassidy did as he said, and a few minutes later, she was back, and ready to start. She was wearing a black short skirt and a black top that had a picture of a white spider web on the front and the word “Spider” written on the back. She looked good, although she didn’t seem to be aware of that herself.
“Ok,” Mike said, clapping his hands together, “let’s get you started. First I want you to take out some empty bottles form the bar. There is a container across the street from the main entrance. You can throw everything in there. When you have done that, I want you to start cleaning tables.”
Cassidy nodded again, and went to do what she had been told.

Nick felt Sam’s hand moving up his thigh and closer to his private area.
Suddenly he felt as is someone had just knocked some sense into him, and he realized that what he was doing was wrong. He removed her hand and broke away from the kiss.
“I can’t do this.” He said, standing up. “I need some fresh air.”
He was about to walk away, when she grabbed his arm and held him back.
“I’ll come with you.” She said, looking at him seductively.
Nick shook his head. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea.” He pulled himself out of her grip, and walked away leaving her by the bar with a frustrated look on her face.

The fresh air outside was uplifting, and Nick was soon feeling a lot better. The heavy air inside the club had made him feel more drunk than he actually was, but after a few minutes outside, his mind was clearer and he could think straight. He lit a cigarette and leaned against the cold brick wall. Cass entered his mind again, and he spent the next minutes thinking about her, and where she might be. If he only knew her full name, or where she lived, he could have been with her right now, instead of this place where he didn’t even want to be. Nick dropped the cigarette to the ground, stepped on it, and turned around to get back inside. He took one step forward when he suddenly walked straight into someone.

“Ouch…”
“Oh, I’m so sorry, are you alright?” He said, rubbing his right arm. He looked down at the other person, and looked straight into a pair of familiar green eyes.
“Cass?” He froze.
Neither of them said anything for a few seconds. Both were surprised to see the other there, Nick a bit more than Cass.
“Hello… Nick.” She said as the silence between them got more and more uncomfortable.
Nick continued to look at her, as of he still didn’t believe she was standing right in front of him. After spending so many hours searching for her, she was right there.
“What are you doing here?” He asked.
“I work here.” Cass couldn’t help but sound angry and bitter.
Nick frowned. “I’ve never seen you here before.”
“I’m new.”
Cass wanted more than anything to get back inside. She didn’t want to talk to him after what she had witnessed earlier. But still, there was something about him that held her back. She looked down, trying to avoid looking into his eyes.
“I’ve been looking for you, you know.” Nick said, his voice sounded almost sad.
Cass didn’t respond.
“Why didn’t you tell me you were leaving?” Nick continued.
She shrugged, still looking down at her feet. Nick could sense that something was wrong, but he was afraid to ask. He didn’t want to scare her away, now that she was finally there.
“Cass.” He lifted her head with his thumb, forcing her to look at him. “Are you ok?”
“I’m fine.” She said, almost too sudden. Lying to him was so hard. She could see in his eyes that he didn’t believe her, and she looked down again to stop herself from feeling guilty.
“I have to go, Nick. I have to get back to work.” She said firmly. She turned around and started walking towards the entrance.
“Wait, Cass. At least let me give you my phone number.” Nick walked up to her. Cass sighted. ‘This is when you say no, Cass’ she said to herself.
Instead, she nodded.
Nick handed her a piece of paper with his number written on it.
“Call me of you need to talk, ok?” He looked at her, trying to see what she was thinking, but her face was blank. She put the piece of paper in her pocket, and walked away.

Later that night, Cass was lying in bed thinking about her encounter with Nick. She didn’t know why, but she was so mad at him. After she had left him outside, she had gone back to work. She had seen him leave with his friends only a few moments later, glancing at her as he walked away. She had spent the rest of the night thinking about him, his number burning in her pocket.

Seeing him with that girl had really affected her.
‘He’s just like everybody else I have ever met’ she thought. She was so disappointed in him, because she was really starting to convince herself that he was different. Now she knew she had been wrong. The thing that bothered her the most was that fact that she had gotten so affected by the fact that he had made out with that girl. She didn’t want to care, but she did, and that confused her more than anything.

She closed her eyes to try and sleep, but his face kept haunting her. Images from his visits at the hospital appeared, and she couldn’t help but smile as she thought about things he had said that had made her laugh. Cassidy sighted. ‘What am I going to do?” She whispered to herself.
Chapter 17 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 17

The next morning, Mary was sitting in the living room reading a magazine, when she heard Cassidy walk out of her bed room. It was almost noon by then, and Cassidy had only slept for a few hours that night. She had been up thinking about Nick.
“Good morning sunshine!” Mary said cheerfully as Cass entered the living room. She looked awful. Her eyes were puffy and it looked like she had been crying.
“Honey, you look exhausted. What happened?” Mary looked concerned.
Cassidy popped down on the couch next to her, and sighted as she leaned her head on a big fluffy pillow.
“I ran into Nick last night at the club…” She said.
“Oh dear…” Mary put a hand on Cassidy’s shoulder. “What did he say?”
“Nothing much actually…”
She told Mary what had happened, and about what she had seen before she ran into him. When she had finished, she was almost crying.
“Oh, sweetie, come here.” Mary put her arms around her and held her, stroking her hand through Cassidy’s hair, and whispering comforting words.
“It’ll be ok Cassidy.”
“I don’t know what to do… I don’t know what to feel, or how to react. I don’t even know if I like him. I just want to forget about him, but I can’t seem to get him out of my mind.” She wiped away her tears and sat up, stroking her fingers through her hair.
“Things will work out eventually, Cassidy. All I can tell you is to just listen to your heart. It will tell you what to do.”

A few days went by and Cass was trying as hard as she could to forget about Nick. It didn’t work though. Every time she closed her eyes, he entered her thoughts. She kept his phone number in her wallet, but hadn’t called him yet. Deep down, she really wanted to, but she was afraid because she wouldn’t know what to say.

It was Saturday night and she had just changed into her working outfit, ready to start working, when Mike walked over to her.
“Hey Cass.” He smiled at her. “I have a different task for you today.”
Cassidy looked at him curiously.
“The club has hired an artist today. She will be holding a concert in about an hour, and I was wondering if you could take the responsibility and make sure that she gets everything she wants. Just keep her company for the next hour.”
“Sure. No problem.” Cassidy smiled, happy that she would be spending time “backstage”. Every time she was working, she walked around, afraid that she would run into Nick again. At least, now she would have and excuse to stay out of sight at least for a few hours.
“I’ll go get her.” Mike said. “She just arrived. Just wait here.” Ha walked away, and Cass sat down on a chair to wait for them. Moments later, Mike returned with a girl around Cass’ age. She had blond shoulder length hair, bright brown eyes, and was wearing a black dress that didn’t show off too much. She walked straight up to Cass and introduced herself.
“Hi, I’m Holly.” She smiled as they shook hands.
“I’m Cassidy, but you can call me Cass. It’s nice to meet you.”
“Well, I’ll leave you two girls alone.” Mike said. “Holly, be ready in an hour.”
“I will Mike.” She responded as Mike walked out of the room.

The girls started talking and Cass soon found out that Holly was a very nice girl, and that they had a lot in common. They were both twenty two, an only child and from Orlando.
“I have been singing all my life.” Holly said. “Mike is a friend of my boyfriend, and he hires me once in awhile to sing here. The money isn’t bad, and I get good publicity.”
“Well, I can’t wait to hear you sing.” Cass said exited.
“So… do you have a boyfriend?” Holly asked changing the subject.
Cassidy looked down. She was hoping that she wouldn’t ask her that question. She shook her head no.
“Did I say something wrong?” Holly said apologetically.
“No, it’s nothing, really.”
“Are you sure? You don’t sound too convincing.”
Cass hesitated. “Well… there is this guy. I’ve only met him a few times, but I just can’t seem to get him out of my mind. He’s been so nice to me, but I have a hard time trusting guys, because of things that have happened to me in the past. I guess I like him, but something is holding me back, and I just can’t seem to let go and open up to him.”
“That sucks…” Holly said looking concerned.
“I know. I just don’t know what to do. I know he wants to keep in touch, but I just can’t seem to decide what I want to do. Somehow, I have this feeling that he’s different, you know. Like his intentions are good.”
“Is he hot?” Holly asked, smiling.
Cassidy laughed. “Totally.”
“Well, go for it then.”
“I don’t know. I wish it was that easy.”
The girls continued to talk about Nick, but Cass never revealed who is was, and how they met. Thirty minutes later, it was time for Holly to get ready.

The club was packed with guests. Cassidy was watching Holly from the bar area, while cleaning tables. Holly had a really good voice, and everybody seemed to enjoy the show. As it came closer to the end, Holly turned to the band to signal that she wanted to say something.
“Thank you so much for coming here tonight to hear me sing. You have been a great audience.” Everybody was cheering. “I have one song left that I want to do, and I want to dedicate this song to someone that I just met backstage. So Cass, this one’s for you. Maybe it will help you decide.”
Cass looked stunned, and stopped to look at Holly, who just smiled and blinked in return as the band started playing.

I know there’s something in the wake of your smile
I get a notion from the look in your eyes, yeah
you’ve built a love but that love falls apart
your little piece of heaven turns too dark

listen to your heart
when he’s calling for you
listen to your heart
there’s nothing else you can do
I don’t know where you’re going
and I don’t know why
but listen to your heart
before you tell him goodbye

sometimes you wonder if this fight is worthwhile
the precious moments are all lost in the tide, yeah
they’re swept away and nothing is what is seems
the feeling of belonging to your dreams

listen to your heart
when he’s calling for you
listen to your heart
there’s nothing else you can do
I don’t know where you’re going
and I don’t know why
but listen to your heart
before you tell him goodbye

and there are voices
that want to be heard
so much to mention
but you can’t find the words
the scent of magic
the beauty that’s been
when love was wilder than the wind
Listen to your heart....mm..mmm

I don’t know where you’re going
and I don’t know why
but listen to your heart
before you tell him goodbye
Chapter 18 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 18

It was almost three o’clock when Cass had finished her shift. She was exhausted by then, and was still thinking about the song that Holly had performed. It had made her realize that both Mary and Holly had been right. She needed to follow her heart this time, and let go of the past. She wanted to start a new life, but she was still not sure if she wanted Nick to be a part of it. She had spoken to Holly after the concert, and they had agreed to meet for lunch the next day. Cass was very happy that she had finally found someone her own age to confide in and talk to.

It was a warm night, and Cass decided that she wanted to walk home. It wasn’t that far, only about thirty minutes away. She wasn’t a bit tired, and she thought that the fresh air might do her good. She said her good byes to Mike and the bartender that was left, and walked out of the club. She hadn’t been walking for more than five minutes when she heard someone whistle behind her. In the corner of her eye, she could see two guys crossing the street and walking up behind her. They weren’t that close, but still it made her feel uncomfortable.
“Well, well… would you look at that fine piece of ass.” She could hear a voice say.
“Yea, she’s a hot one.”
Cass continued to walk a bit faster without looking over her shoulder.
“Hey baby, wanna go for a ride with us?” One of the guys yelled after her. She could hear them laughing, as she started to walk even faster.
“You’re not scared are you? We just wanna have some fun.” Cassidy still didn’t turn around. She could heart them getting closer, as she started to run.
“Aww… There’s no need to run baby. You ain’t going nowhere.”
Cassidy could feel her heart beating faster and faster, and she was breathing heavily, as she continued to run. She could hear them running too. They were a lot faster than her, and before she knew it, they had grabbed both her arms, and were holding her back. Cass struggled to break free from their firm grip, but they were too strong.
“Let me go.” She cried out. Her voice sounded a lot stronger than she felt.
“You’re not scared, are you?” One of the guys whispered in her ear.
“Please, let me go.” Cass pleaded. She could feel tears forming in her eyes, and her voice was weaker as she spoke again. “Don’t hurt me, please. Somebody, help me.”
“There’s no need to yell honey. No one’s going to hear you.”
Suddenly, she heard a car behind them. She prayed a silent prayer that they would let her go and run before the driver saw them, but they just tightened the grip around her arms. The car pulled over to the side, and the guys dragged her over towards it.
“No, please…” Cassidy cried. “Please don’t do this.”
The driver stepped out of the car, and opened the car door.
“Nice catch guys.” He said as they pushed her inside the car and joined her in the backseat.
The driver sat down in the driver seat, and they drove away.
Cass didn’t think she had been this scared ever, and she continued to cry silently as one of the guys started stroking her hair. She shivered and tried to turn away.
“You don’t like that, do you? Carl, blindfold her!” He said.
“No…” Cass whispered as tears were rolling down her cheek. “Please don’t…”
But they didn’t listen. Within a minute, they had blindfolded her, and tied her arms and leg. They continue to stroke her hair, her thighs, arms and neck. She couldn’t do anything to resist, and while she was sitting there, she was thinking about what they were going to do to her.

Finally, they stopped the car and dragged her out of it. She had a hard time standing up because they had tied her legs together, and after a few seconds she fell to the ground. She cried out when she landed on her right arm, which was still sore from the accident. One of the boys finally took of her blindfold, and revealed the setting. She looked around confused, letting her eyes adjust to the darkness. It looked like they had pulled over at a bus stop. She was surrounded by fields and trees, there were no houses in sight, and the road was deserted. She didn’t think she had been there before, but she assumed that they were somewhere north from the town.
“Now, what do we do now?” One of the guys said looking down at her. She closed her eyes, whishing that they would just leave.
“I know.” One of the others bent down next to her. “How about this?” He said, removing her shoes and letting his hand travel up and down her long legs. Cassidy twisted on the ground.
“And this…” He lifted her t shirt to reveal her bare stomach. Suddenly, he stopped.
“Shit, Carl. I think someone’s coming.” Cass opened her eyes. The guys were all looking in one direction.
“Fuck. We have to leave, now. We’ll dump her in the ditch. Come on, help me lift her.”
Cassidy closed her eyes again, as they half lifted, half dragged her over to the ditch and threw her in. She cried out when a rock hit her shoulder, and before she realized what had happened, the guys had jumped in the car and left.

Cassidy didn’t know if she wanted to scream, cry or smile.
They were gone.
Suddenly she heard the sound of a car getting closer, and she realized that she needed to get up and be seen. She tried to stand up, but her legs were still tied together, as was her arms, and it was impossible for her to it as fast as she had to. She tried again, but just as she managed to get herself up in a sitting position, she saw the car drive past and away from her. Her heart sank and she started crying again. She sat there for a few moments without moving, before she realized that she had to do something. With all the will she had left, she pulled herself up in a standing position, and out of the ditch. She looked around. Her purse was lying on the ground next to her shoes, and she slowly made her way over to it. She sat down on the ground, and with her hands, that were still tied together, she opened it and pulled out her cell phone and wallet. ‘Who do I call?” She thought to herself. The only person she could think of was Mary, but she was at the hospital working night shift and Cass didn’t know how to reach her. She looked down at her wallet. Only one option left…

“Hey guys, I think I’ll go to bed.” It was long past midnight, and the guys had been hanging out in the living room talking about recording the new album, what to name it, and of course, Cass. Nick was happy that he had run in to her, but disappointed that she hadn’t called. At least now he knew where she worked, and it made it a lot easier for him to see her if he wanted to.
“Good nigh.” The guys said in unison and Nick waked out of the room.

He had only been asleep for a few hours, when he was woken up by a terrible noise in his room.
“Arhg…” He mumbled to himself as he realized that it was his phone ringing. “I’ll kill you Aaron…” He said to himself, referring to his younger brother, as he picked up the phone and answered it.
“What?” He said, sounding tired and irritated.
There was silence in the other end.
“Hello, anyone there?”
“Nick?” He heard a female voice on the other end.
“Who is this?” He asked confused, still sounding very tired.
“I didn’t mean to wake you up. I’m sorry… I just…” She said, her voice breaking.
It took a few seconds for Nick to recognize her voice, but when he did, it only took him a quarter of a second to wake up.
“Cass?”
Chapter 19 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 19

“Cass, is that you?” Nick sat up in bed, feeling his heart beating faster.
“Yes…” She whispered.
He could hear it in her voice that something was wrong. She sounded scared, and he could barely hear what she was saying.
“What’s wrong?”
“I… Oh, Nick, I…” She started crying silently.
“Why are you crying? Cass, what happened?” His voice was filled with concern.
Cass took a few moments to collect her thoughts, before she continued.
“Umm… are you busy? I mean, I’m sorry if I woke you. I didn’t have anybody else to call.” She was on the verge of crying again. Nick didn’t know how to respond.
“It’s ok Cass. Tell me what’s wrong.”

Cass silently told Nick what had happened, and Nick got more and more worried as he listened to her.
“I don’t know where they left me, Nick… I have no idea where I am, and I can hardly move around.”
Nick was on his way out of bed by then, and with his free hand, he got dressed as quickly as he could.
“I’m on my way Cass. Describe the surroundings to me, ok? Tell me how long you were driving around and in what direction from where they picked you up.”
Cass started telling Nick, as he quietly walked out of his room, careful not to wake the others. He walked outside and got in Aj’s car while he listened to Cass, trying not to forget anything of importance that she told him.
“Shit, Nick. My battery is getting low…” She said frustrated.
“Ok, Cass. Whatever you do, stay where you are. I’m on my way, ok? I’ll be there as soon as I can.” He waited for an answer.
It never came.
“Cass? Cassidy? Fuck…” He said to himself. The line was dead. He tried calling her back, as he drove away, but there was no response.
“Fuck.” He said again.

Cass was sitting on the cold ground. Over an hour had passed since she had spoken to Nick, and she was starting to get worried that he might have given up looking for her. Her right arm was hurting and she was trying not to fall asleep. As she sat there, she started thinking about her mother. She had been the greatest person Cass had ever known, and losing her had been like losing a part of herself. After her mother’s death, Cass had always felt like a piece of her was missing, and she was always looking for something to fill that empty space in her heart. Sometimes she wondered is she would ever be able to move on. As she thought of her mother, she started crying again.
‘How did this ever happen to me?’ she whispered to herself.

“Damn.” Nick said to himself as he reached another dead end. He had been driving around for over an hour and he had no idea where he was. He was getting more worried about Cass every minute, and he was driving way faster than he was supposed to. He didn’t care though. All he wanted to do was to find her, and bring her back home safely. After another half hour he was driving around in an area which, in his mind, looked quite similar to the place Cass had described to him almost two hours before. He looked out of the windows on both sides as he drove, but… nothing. He kept on driving, but felt his heart sink as the landscape started changing again. Nick was about to stop the car and turn around when he thought he saw something moving a bit further down the road. He increased the tempo, and as he got closer, he saw a girl sitting on the ground gently rocking back and forth. She was looking down, her head in buried in her hands and her knees pulled up to her chest. He didn’t see her face, but there was no doubt in his mind that he had finally found her.
She suddenly became aware of the sound coming from his car, and looked up. He could see the relief in her eyes all the way from the driver seat, as he parked the car and ran over to her. She was crying when he sat down next to her on the ground and he put his arms around her.

“God, Cass…” He said, stroking her hair. “I’m so sorry I took so long. I didn’t know where to look. I was so worried.” He took her head in his hands to look at her. “Are you ok? Are you hurt?”
She shook her head. “I’m fine.” She sobbed. “I’m so glad you found me. I was so scared that you might have given up and gone home.”
Nick pulled her into another hug.
“I would never do that Cass.”
“Thank you.” She whispered wanting to put her arms around him, but knew that she couldn’t. It wasn’t until then that Nick realized that her arms and legs were still tied. He took her hands in his. They felt cold against his warm skin.
“I’m going to get a knife from the car to get these ropes off, ok?”
She nodded.
“I’ll be right back.” He stood up and walked over to the car. He knew that Aj kept a tool box in the trunk. Moments later, he came back with a pocket knife. He sat down next to Cass again, and pulled her legs onto his lap. The knife wasn’t that sharp, so he struggled a little to cut the ropes, but after a couple of minutes, her legs were finally free. He then moved up to her arms.
“Hold out your arms, and try to keep as still as possible. I don’t want to cut you.”
She sniffled and did as she was told. Moments later, the rope came off. Nick helped her stand up, and pulled her into another hug. This time, she put her arms around his neck and buried her face in his chest. She could feel tears forming in her eyes again, and tried to blink them away, but she felt so relieved that she couldn’t hold them back. And as she started shaking again, Nick pulled her even closer.
“It’s ok Cass.” He whispered. “I’m here now. No one’s going to hurt you.”
They stood there until they both lost track of time, and Cass finally pulled away from his embrace.
“Maybe we should head back?” She said.
Nick looked down at her, and wiped away her tears.
“Maybe we should” He said and nodded. “Come on, let’s get in the car.”
He took her hand, and walked her over to the car. He then opened the door to the passenger seat, and helped her inside. Once she was seated, he walked around the car and sat down next to her.
“Are you sure you’re not hurt.” He turned to look at her.
She nodded. “My right arm hurts a little, but not that much anymore. Other than that, I’m fine. Don’t worry.”
“Good.” He smiled at her and started the engine. “So, where do you live? I’m guessing you want to go home and get some sleep.”
“Do you remember Mary, the nurse?” She asked him.
He nodded, but didn’t quite understand why that would answer his question.
“I’ve lived with her ever since I left the hospital.”
“Oh…” Nick said without taking his eyes off the road. He wanted to ask her why, but didn’t know if she would want to talk about it. “Well, what’s the address?” He asked instead.
She gave it to him, and they continued the ride in silence.

Once he pulled over in front of Mary’s apartment, he noticed that Cass had fallen asleep. He looked over at her, and wondered if she would ever open up to him. For a few moments, all he could do was stare at her and hoping that she would be alright. He then gently leaned over to stroke her cheek.
“Cass.” He whispered, pulling a stain of her hair back. “Cassidy… we’re here, wake up.”
She stirred, and slowly opened her eyes. She looked confused at first, but after a few seconds, she realized where she was, and what had happened.
“You want me to walk you inside?” He asked.
She nodded slightly. “Yea, if you wouldn’t mind.”
“Not at all.” He walked out of the car, and helped her out. Together, they made their way inside.
“Have you called Mary to let her know what happened?” He asked her.
She shook her head. “She’s working night shift at the hospital. I don’t know how to reach her.”
“When will she be home?”
“Around noon, I guess.” She looked at her watch. It was almost 5.30 in the morning.
“You want me to stay until she gets home?”
Cass hesitated. Would she?
“No, I’ll be fine.” She answered.
“You sure?”
“Yea.”
“Ok, but call me if you need anything ok?” He walked over to her and gave her a hug. She closed her eyes and let her head rest on his shoulder. She felt so safe in his strong arms, and suddenly, she regretted her answer.
“Maybe, umm… you know, maybe you could stay until I fall asleep?” She whispered without moving away from his embrace.
Nick smiled a little to himself. “Yea, maybe I could.”
Chapter 20 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 20

Nick woke up the next morning by the slamming of a door. He opened his eyes and looked around confused. Then he remembered that he had fallen asleep on the couch in Mary’s living room after sitting next to Cass by her bed waiting for her to fall asleep. He sat up, as he heard a sound coming from the kitchen. Suddenly, he saw Mary appear in the doorway. She looked startled to see him there, and he looked embarrassed down on his bare chest and quickly covered himself with a blanket.
“Nick?” Mary waked over to him. “What are you doing here?”
Nick laughed a nervous laughter. “Mary. Hi!” He raised a hand and waved at her.
“I… umm… I just, you know, I…” He stuttered. Just then, the door to Cass’ room opened, and Nick let out a sigh of relief.
“Hi Mary.” Cass said, walking up to the lady to give her a hug.
“Good afternoon sweetie. Now, why don’t you tell me what this young man is doing here, because he seems to have lost his ability to speak.” Mary said, smiling at Nick.
Cass turned around to face Nick. “Good morning.” She said to him. He gave her a small smile in return.
“You know what?” He said to them both. “I better get going. The guys are probably wondering where I am and I guess Cass has got something to tell you Mary, so I’ll just…” He pointed towards the front door, and quickly pulled on his shirt. Luckily, he had kept his pants on, just in case he ended up in a situation like this.
Mary looked confused at Cass, then back at Nick, but didn’t say anything. Nick walked across the room and towards the front door. Cass followed him.
“Thank you so much for helping me out last night, Nick. You have no idea how much that meant to me.” She looked up at him.
“I’m glad you called. I thought I’d never see you again, you know.” He pulled her into a hug.
Cass sighed and put her arms around him. Memories of the night before washed over her, and she closed her eyes to keep them away. She concentrated on the feeling of Nick’s strong arms around her waist and for a moment, she forgot about everything around her.
“Are you going to be ok?” He asked her.
“Yea.” She said as she broke away from his embrace. “I’ll be fine.”
“Call me of you need anything.”
“I will.”
“Ok, bye Cass.”
“Bye.”
“Bye Nick” Mary yelled from the kitchen.
“Bye Mary.” He said, and walked out of the door.

“Dude! Where have you been? We’ve been trying to call you all day. We thought something happened to you.” Aj said as Nick entered the living room.
All the guys were there, and they all stood up as soon as Nick walked through the door.
“I’m fine guys. There was this incidence, and I guess I forgot to tell you where I was.”
“No kidding!” Aj sounded angry.
“I’m fine, ok?”
“No, dude, it’s no ok. Howie’s been going on all day, talking about how you might’ve been kidnapped by some crazy fans, or ran away or something.”
“Gosh… I’m sorry guys.” Nick walked over to the couch and sat down. The others joined him.
“We were just worried about you, that’s all.” Kevin said, giving Aj a look that said ‘calm down’.
“Yea, you could’ve called Nick.” Brian said.
“Listen guys, just give me a chance to explain, ok? Something happened… to Cass.”
The guys went silent and Nick continued to explain what had happened the night before.

“Man, she’s one unlucky girl.” Howie said when Nick had finished talking.
They continued discussing the incidence for a good half hour when Leighann walked into the living room.
“Hey guys.” She smiled at them and sat down next to Brian. “Did you ask them?” She said to her husband.
Brian gave her a small smile, and looked down. “Umm…” He said.
Leighann sighed. “Honey… you promised you wouldn’t forget.”
He looked up at her. “I’m sorry…” He said, pouting.
“Ask us what?” Nick said curiously.
“Well, we kinda wanted to ask you a favour.” Leighann said. “Brian and I wanted to spend some time together this weekend, and we were wondering if you could watch Baylee. We leave tonight and we’ll be home tomorrow afternoon.”
“I’m going out with Kristen tonight.” Kevin said.
“And I have a date.” Howie responded.
“And I don’t have a life, so I’ll be home.” Aj said sarcastically.
“…and so will I.” Nick finished. “But I do have a life.” He added.
“Would you mind watching him then?” Brian asked.
Aj and Nick shook their heads. “Not at all. We’ll be the cool uncles. Ya know. Teaching him a few pick up lines, how to shake his diaper on the dance floor, get him a tattoo…” Aj said chuckling.
“… drive a car…”
“Nick, he’s three.” Brian said laughing.
“I know. Ok, maybe not drive a car then, but get him a tattoo?”
“Well, as long as you get him a heart that says ‘I love dad’ or something then…Auch.” Brian said as Leighann hit him on the shoulder.
“Don’t give them any ideas, hun.” She said and turned to Nick and Aj. “We leave at 6PM. I’ll get everything ready for you.”
“No problem.” Aj said.

“What’s the smell?” Nick said frowning.
It was 8PM and he and Aj had just sat down in front of the TV while Baylee was playing on the floor.
“I don’t know dude.” Aj said. “It’s not me, is it?” He smelled his arm pits.
“Nah… Don’t think so.”
“You don’t think….?” Aj nodded his head at Baylee, stood up, and walked over to him. He sat down next to the blond boy and sniffed.
“Holy shit…” He said, turning away. “I think big boy here left us a little present.”
“A what?” Nick looked confused.
“Well, you know. He left us a friend.”
“Huh?”
“A poop, Nick.”
“Oooh…”
“Let’s go little fella.” Aj said and picked up Baylee. Nick followed them into the bathroom.
“Give me a clean diaper, Nick.”
Nick went to get a diaper while Aj removed the used one.
“Dude, why does he have to smell so bad? I don’t smell that bad when I’m… you know.” Nick said holding his nose.
“Then again, you don’t eat smashed bananas and beans all day either.”
“Good point.”
“Now, which way does this thing go?” Aj said, trying to put on the clean diaper.
“Let me try.” Nick took the diaper away from Aj, and tried to get it right.
“You’re holding it up side down Nick. Let me do it.”
“No, I can do it. I’ve seen Brian do this tons of times.”
The guys struggled for a good ten minutes before they got it right. By then, Baylee was crying for his mom, and the boys had no idea how to make him stop. They put him to bed, and stayed by his side, trying to make him fall asleep. After two hours, they were exhausted.
“Man, how does Brian survive this?” Nick said. “Please Baylee. Just go to sleep. Mommy and daddy will be home tomorrow.”
“I wonder what Brian does to make him fall asleep.” Aj wondered.
Nick slapped his forehead. “Dude! Why didn’t I think of this before?”
“Think of what?”
“He SINGS!”
“He does?”
“Duh!!!”
“Well, what are we waiting for then?”
“What do we sing?” Nick asked.
“I know.” Aj smiled, and started singing.

Don’t pretend you’re sorry
I know you’re not
You know you’ve got the power
To make me weak inside
And Baylee you leave me breathless
But it’s ok
Cause you are my survivor
Now hear me say…


And Nick continued.

I can’t imagine
Life without your love
And even forever
Don’t seem like long enough.


By the time they had finished the song, Baylee was fast asleep. The boys gave each other a silent ‘high five’, and walked out of the room.
Chapter 21 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 21

After Nick had left, Cass sat down to tell Mary what had happened the night before. She told him about how the guys had pushed her into the car and tied her arms and legs. How they had almost gotten their way with her, and that she had called Nick, and that’s how he had ended up in Mary’s apartment. Mary couldn’t believe what Cass told her, and she felt so sorry for her having to go through so much.
“Oh, I have to go, Mary. I’m meeting Holly for lunch.”
“Holly?”
“Oh, I forgot to tell you. I met her last night at the club. She performs there once in a while. We stared talking, and she invited me to lunch.”
“That’s nice.” Mary said. “You need someone your own age to hang out with.”
Cass smiled. “Yea, I wouldn’t want to hang around you too much.” She joked.
Mary laughed. “Funny sweetie. Now, get out of here.” She laughed and pushed Cass towards the front door.
“Yes ma’m.”

“Are you serious?” Holly said shocked. Cass had just told her about the incidence last night, and Holly couldn’t believe what she had just been told.
“Yea.” Cass looked down.
“Man… I don’t know what to say. Thank god for Nick.”
“I know. I can’t believe he actually drove around for almost two hours trying to find me.”
“He must really like you.”
“I don’t know…”
“Duh!” Holly laughed. “I’m glad you’re ok though.”
“Yea, me too.”
“So tell me, how’d you meet?”
“Who, Nick?”
“No Santa… Yes, Nick.”
Cass hesitated. She didn’t know if she wanted to talk about it. But then again, maybe it was time for her to start opening up to people. She liked Holly, and this could be her chance to start over.
“Cass? You’re quiet. Did I say something wrong?” Holly asked.
Cass shook her head. “No, not at all… it’s just a long story, that’s all.”
“I have plenty of time. Tell me.”
Cass took a deep breath. “Well… a couple of weeks ago I was in a car accident. I was hit by a taxi, and Nick was in the car together with two of his friends.”
“Man… you are one unlucky girl… what happened next?” Holly asked concerned.
“They put me in a coma for about a week until my body was ready to heal on its own.”
“And Nick?”
“He came to see me everyday, I mean, that’s what they tell me.”
“And he didn’t even know you?”
Cass shrugged. “I was so confused when I woke up and saw him sitting there. I thought I had lost my memory or something.” She took a sip of her diet coke.
“Man, this guy is amazing.”
Cass blushed a little. “Yea, I guess he is. There’s a catch though…”
Holly frowned.
“Promise you won’t scream or anything, k?” Cass said.
“Why would I do that?”
“Well…” She paused, “he’s kinda famous.” Cass watched as Holly’s eyes grew wider.
“What do you mean famous?”
“You know, people know who he is and stuff.” She said sarcastically.
“I know what famous means. Who is he?”
“He’s a Backstreet Boy.”
“A Backstreet Boy? Nick…?” Holly paused, trying to figure out who he was. As soon as she realized, her eyes grew even wider, if possible. “No WAY!! Nick CARTER?” she said, a bit too loud. A few heads turned, but Cass ignored it. Holly lowered her voice.
“Are you serious? You’re dating Nick CARTER?”
“Yes… I mean, no. We’re not dating. I don’t even know him that well.”
“But you like him?”
“I didn’t say that.”
Holly took a deep breath, and Cass knew what was coming.
“Cass… I haven’t even known you for one day, and I can tell that you really like him. I mean, you wouldn’t have called him last night if you didn’t.”
“I guess…!”
“Hey, you know what? You need something to get your mind of things. Tonight, we’re goin’ clubbing.”
Cass sighed. “I can’t. I’m working tonight.”
“Oh… ok. Tomorrow then.” Holly smiled.
“Great.” Cass agreed. “But you do know what we need to do, now. Right?”
The girls looked at each other. “SHOPPING!” They laughed.

“Oh my gosh. That looks sooo good on you.” Holly said exited.
Cass was trying on a dark green halter neck dress that showed off just the right features on her body. It didn’t show off too much, but it was sexy in an elegant way, and it was the exact same colour as her eyes.
Cass smiled. “I love it. You think I should get it?”
“Absolutely.”
Cass bought the dress, and the girls went searching for matching shoes, and something for Holly to wear. Two hours later, they were all set.
“I have to go home and get ready for work.” Cass said.
“Ok, I’ll meet you at your place tomorrow at 6PM like we said before.”
“Sure.”
The girls hugged.
“I had a great time today.” Holly said
“Me too.”
“See you tomorrow then.”
“Bye.”

It was the next day, and Holly had just arrived at Cass’ and Mary’s apartment. The girls were putting on make up when Cass’ phone rang. She looked at the display on the phone.
“Oh my gosh…”
“What?” Holly asked, about to apply some eye liner.
“It’s Nick.”
“Well, answer it then.” Holly turned around.
“I don’t know what to say.” Cass was freaking out.
“Cass, just answer it, will you?”
Cass took a deep breath and pressed the answer button.
“Hello?” She said.
“Hey Cass, it’s Nick.”
“Nick, hi.” Cass tried to sound surprised.
“How are you?”
“I’m fine.
There was an awkward silence between them.
“So…” Nick continued. “I was just wondering if you were doing anything tonight?”
“Oh… I’m going clubbing with a friend.” She said, sounding almost sorry.
“Oh, ok…”
Silence again.
“Umm…Maybe I can come?” Nick asked.
Cass sighed. “I don’t know Nick. My friend would feel left out.” Cass looked over at Holly, who shook her head, no.
“I’ll bring Aj. He’s always ready for a night out.”
“Could you hold on for a sec, Nick?” Cass covered up her phone and turned to Holly.
“He wants to know if he can come…” she whispered frantically. “And he wants to bring a friend…”
“Of course they can come. Is his friend hot? Is he a Backstreet Boy?” Holly asked.
“I don’t know. Wait… didn’t you have a boyfriend?”
Holly shook her head. “We broke up.”
Cass frowned.
“I’ll tell you later.” Holly continued.
“Well, what do I say then?” Cass was still whispering, afraid that Nick might hear them talking.
“Tell them to pick us up at 9ish. He knows where you live, right?”
Cass nodded, but didn’t move her phone up to her ear.
“Cass, come on.” Holly nudged Cass’ shoulder.
She took a deep breath again.
“Nick, you there?”
“Yea, what took you so long?”
“Oh, nothing. Can you pick us up at my place at 9 o’ clock?”
Nick sounded relieved. “Sure thing. See ya then.”
“Ok, bye.”
“Bye Cass.”
Cass hung up, lowered her phone and turned to Holly again.
“I can’t do this Holly.” She said shaking her head.
“Of course you can. Now, lets get you ready for your date!” Holly said, dragging Cass over to the mirror. “It’s gonna be one hell of a night.”
Chapter 22 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 22

The girls had just finished getting ready when the door bell rang.
“Oh gosh, it’s them…” Cass started pacing back and forth in the living room, nervously looking down at her hands.
Holly giggled. “Cass, relax. It’s just Nick.”
“Exactly!”
She looked towards the front door, and slowly made her way across the room. Holly followed right behind her.
“Now, breathe Cass. You wouldn’t want him to know how nervous you are.”
Cass nodded. “You’re right. Breathe Cass.” She said to herself. “Ok, nothing to worry about. I don’t even know why I’m acting this way. I mean, he’s Nick…. Carter. Just a guy. Nick Carter…”
“Cass… The door.”
“Right.” She took a deep breath and slowly opened the door. Seconds later she found herself starting into a pair of bright blue eyes.
“Hi.” She said, trying as hard as she could not to look nervous.
“Cass, hi.” He looked at her, his gaze travelling up and down her body. “Wow, you look great.” He pulled her into a hug.
Cass blushed a little. “Thanks.” She looked over Nick’s shoulder and saw Aj standing there.
“I’ll just introduce myself, then.” Aj said, not waiting for Nick to respond. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Cass. I mean, we’ve met, but you probably don’t remember. I’m Alex.” He said, holding out his hand. She gently shook it.
“It’s nice to meet you. Oh, and this is my friend Holly.”
Holly appeared in the doorway. “Hi.” She held out her hand.
“Hi, I’m Ni...”
“Helloooo!” Aj grinned and took her hand before Nick had even finished his sentence. “I’m Alex, and dang you look…niiice!” He kissed her hand, and spun her around.
Holly giggled, and smiled at Aj. “Why thank you.”
Nick rolled his eyes and mouthed the words ‘player’ to Cass.
“So you girls ready?” He asked.
“Yup, just give us two minutes.” Holly dragged Cass into the kitchen, where the boys couldn’t see or hear them.
“Oh my gosh.” She whispered excitedly, jumping up and down. “Alex is totally hot.”
“Yea he’s cute, although, I’m going for the blonde.”
“He’s cute too.” Holly agreed.
“So, you ready to hit the town.”
“So ready.” Holly could barely stand still. “Oh, wait. Breath check.”
Cass laughed as the girls breathed on each other. They gave each other the thumbs up, and walked over to the guys again.

“Wow, it’s crowded in here.” Nick said as they entered the club. They pushed their way across the room and over to the last available table.
“I’m gonna go and get something to drink. You guys want anything.” Holly yelled over the loud music.
“Just a beer for me.” Nick said into her ear.
“Make that two.” Cass responded.
Holly turned to Aj. “Want anything?”
“Oh, I’m a virgin.” He yelled.
Holly looked confused. “What?”
Aj took a moment to reflect over what he had just said, and how that might have sounded. “Ok, that came out totally wrong.” He said, laughing to himself. “I mean, I don’t drink alcohol. Just buy me a virgin drink.”
Holly laughed embarrassed. “Oh, right. Join me?”
She didn’t have to ask him twice, and they walked over to the bar, leaving Nick and Cass alone. Cass shifted uncomfortably in her seat. She liked Nick, but she still didn’t trust him completely and she didn’t know what his intensions were.
“So… How are you?” He said into her ear.
“What?” She yelled.
“How are you?” He yelled even louder.
“Oh, fine.” She nodded.
Nick smiled and moved a bit closer.
“You seem tense? Are you sure you’re ok?”
Cass smiled to herself. ‘This is stupid.’ She thought. ‘I need to loosed up and start acting like the real me. If I want to get to know him better, that’s what I’ll have to do…’
“Cass?” Nick placed a hand on her thigh. She could feel the warmth of his hand through the light fabric of her dress. She liked it.
“Yea, I’m sure. I guess I’m just nervous, that’s all.”
“Nervous? Why?” Nick looked into her eyes. She almost melted.
“I don’t know…” She said. She knew she would have to tell him eventually, but tonight she just wanted to have fun.
Just then, Holly and Aj returned with their drinks. Nick quickly removed his hand from Cass’ thigh, and took a sip of his beer. Cass did the same.
They all sat there chatting for a while, ordering a few more drinks and moving in their seat to the rhythm of the music. After one hour and five drinks later, Cass started to really feel the music. She was obviously flirting with Nick, and he didn’t seem to mind at all.
“Hey, let’s dance.” She said, standing up and dragging Nick on to the dance floor before he could even respond. Aj and Holly followed them. They were all having a lot of fun, and Cass was not the only one who was starting to get a little drunk. Nick was happy that Cass had finally let herself loose, and was definitely enjoying the little show she put on, on the dance floor. She was a great dancer, and he could tell that she was having a lot of fun.
“Hey, you wanna go and freshen up a little?” Cass yelled to Holly after over an hour on the dance floor. Holly nodded, and they told the guys where they were going. Nick decided to sit down again, and Aj went to get them some more drinks.
The girls walked into the bathroom and walked directly over to the mirrors.
“I’m having so much fun,” Holly said trying to apply some lip gloss.
“I know. And I am so starting to get drunk.” Cass giggled.
“Me too. Those drinks are really good though. I can’t believe Alex told me he was a virgin. I almost choked.”
Cass laughed. “I know, that was hilarious.”
The girls continued to chat while they were applying some fresh make up.

At the same time, Nick was waiting for the girls and Aj to get back. He was looking around, humming to the music, when he felt a hand on his shoulder.
“Remember me?” He heard a voice say into his ear.
He turned around and was surprised when he saw the girl that had made a move on him the last time he had been out clubbing.
“It’s me, Sam.” She sat down next to him, and he leaned away from her.
“We had a really nice time the last time I saw you.” She moved closer to him, and put a hand on his thigh. Nick gulped, and tried not to look at her cleavage. She was wearing a white, strapless dress that didn’t leave too much to the imagination.
“I’ve been looking for you, you know.” She licked her lips and began stroking his chest with her other hand.
“Listen… Sam. I’m not interested, I’m kin…” Before he could even say another word, she had once again pressed her lips on his. This time he pulled away almost before her lips touched his. He quickly looked around, and his heart sank when he saw Cass standing there, looking at him. She looked shocked, and hurt, and before Nick could react, she was walking away, heading towards the exit.
“Fuck.” Nick quickly got up, pushing Sam out of his way and moving as fast as he could to catch up with Cass. He exited the club and frantically looked around when he spotted her walking across the street. He ran after her.
“Cass, wait!” He yelled. He reached her and grabbed her arm to make her turn around and face him. “Cass, that was not what it looked like.”
She looked at him, and he could see anger and hurt in her eyes. “Don’t pull that crap on me Nick. I saw you with that same girl the same night I ran into you at work.”
Nick looked down, swearing to himself. “Cass, I promise you I don’t even know her. She just threw herself at me.”
“You know what? I don’t wanna hear it.”
Nick was starting to get annoyed. “Why can’t you trust me Cass? I’ve been nothing but nice to you, even though I know you’re hiding something from me.” Nick started to raise his voice. “I though that if I’d let you make the first move, you’d confide in me, but you can’t even trust me.” He was still holding her arm in a firm grip.
“You wanna know about trust? You wanna know why I can’t trust you?” Cass yelled at him. “How about this; Three years ago, my mom was killed in a car accident caused by my step dad. He was never blamed for the accident, and when she was gone, he made me stay with him so that he could take advantage of me. He raped me, several times, every fucking week, and when I got pregnant because of that, he beat me so bad that I lost the baby. The night I was hit by that taxi, I was running from him. I have never met a guy in my entire life that has treated me good, so don’t come here telling me about trust.” Cass was crying by then, and she was yelling so loud that several people had turned their attention to her and Nick. Cass just turned around and started running down the street, tears streaming down her face.
Nick stood there, in shock, feeling really bad. “Cass, wait! I’m sorry.”
Chapter 23 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 23

Three days had passed since the incidence at the club. Nick hadn’t spoken to Cass since, and Cass was avoiding the subject of Nick every time Holly brought it up. Holly didn’t know exactly what had happened that night, all she knew was that Cass was miserable, and according to Aj, so was Nick. Holly had kept in touch with Aj, and they had spoken on the phone every night. Mostly about Nick and Cass, but they were also getting to know each other pretty well.

The two girls were sitting in Holly’s kitchen having a cup of coffee, when Holly decided it was time to bring up the subject again. She sat down across Cass, and leaned her elbows on the table.
“Are you ever going to tell me what happened with Nick?” She asked.
Cass sighed. “Do we have to have this conversation again, Holly? You know I don’t want to talk about it.” She wasn’t angry, but Holly thought she looked rather sad.
“It won’t help keeping it to yourself, you know. I could help you get past this, but I can’t do that unless you tell me what happened.”
“I can’t…” Cass looked down. Deep down, she knew Holly was right, but she felt like she had told her story more times than she wanted to lately, and every time she opened up to someone, she felt she was losing a piece of herself. “I’ll tell you eventually, but right now, I can’t even think about it.”
“Actually, I think you’re thinking about it too much.” Holly said. She was not going to give up that easily.
Cass shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe you’re right, but I’m still not in the mood to talk about it. It’s too soon.”
“But if you could ju…”
“Holly. Don’t! I don’t want to argue with you, k? I’ll tell you some day, just not today.”
Holly sighed, and nodded her head.
“Listen, I have to go. I have to get ready for work. I’ll call you tomorrow.” Cass stood up, and walked over to the front door. Holly followed her.
“If you change your mind, you know where to find me, ok?”
Cass smiled a little. “Yea, I know. Thanks.”

A couple of hour later, Holly was sitting in her living room, watching a movie, when her phone rang. She smiled, and knew who it was even before she answered it.
“Hello stranger.” She said.
“Hi there.”
“How are you Alex?”
“I’m good. You?”
Holly sighed. Aj sensed that something was wrong, and before she could answer, he continued. “What’s wrong?”
Holly shook her head. “I’m just worried about Cass, that’s all. She looks so sad. I just want to know what happened between her and Nick. I tried to ask her again today, but she just won’t tell me.”
“I know how you feel. It’s the same way with Nick. He’s spent the last few days in his room. He only comes out to eat. I’ve tried talking to him too, but he just yells at me. My room is next to his, and I swear I heard him cry the other night. The other guys want to know why he’s acting like this, but I just don’t know what to say to them.”
“It’s weird though. I mean, they haven’t known each other for more than a few weeks, and they were never together, but still they’re acting this way. It makes me wonder if it’s more to it than we know about. And I’m not just talking about what happened the other night.” Holly stood up from the couch and walked into the kitchen to get something to drink.
“You know what? I’ve been thinking today.” Aj said.
Holly chuckled. “Oh no, this can’t be good.”
“Oh, shut up.” Aj laughed. “I mean, I kinda think they need someone to push them in the right direction. Say, someone like… us.”
Holly sighed. “Alex, I’m not playing match maker. I’ve done that before, and it never turns out the way you want it to.”
“We’re not going to play match maker,” Aj argued, “we’re just going to help them start talking to each other again.”
“Alex…”
“No, I’m serious. They’re not going to do this on their own, and I’m not planning on watching Nick being this miserable. He’s my brother man. We start recording again in a few days, and he needs to focus on other things than this.”
Holly realized that Aj was right. “Ok then. What do you have in mind?”

Nick was standing in the kitchen, eating a sandwich. He didn’t bother sitting down, he just wanted to eat as fast as he could and get back to his room where no one could talk to him or confront him. He was pacing around while eating, but stopped dead in his track when he heard someone walk up behind him.
“So, finally got out of your room, huh?” Aj asked and sat down by the table.
Nick shrugged, and started to eat even faster.
“We’re having dinner with Johnny tomorrow to discuss the new record. You have to be there Nick.” Aj continued as he watched Nick pour himself a glass of juice. He shrugged again, and drank a few sips.
“Now, me and the rest of the fellas are all busy tomorrow. I don’t assume you have any plans, so you have to get to the restaurant by yourself. We’ll meet you there at 7 sharp. Johnny expects you to be there Nick, and you know very well that you don’t wanna disappoint him.” Aj gave Nick the name of the restaurant, and walked out of the kitchen without bothering to wait for Nick to say anything. He knew that Nick would be there, and he wasn’t a bit concerned that Nick suspected anything. After all, it made perfectly sense. Johnny wanted to talk to them before they started recording. Aj knew that Nick had no reason to doubt that.

The next day, Nick was sitting in a taxi on his way to the dinner. He felt uncomfortable taking a taxi after what had happened the last time. His mind wandered off to Cass again. He felt like she was the only thing on his mind lately, and he knew perfectly well that she was the reason he was acting the way he was. He felt so bad for yelling at her. If he had known what she had been through, he would never have said what he said. All he had wanted to do for the past few days was to call her and make sure that she was ok, but he was afraid that she wouldn’t talk to him. He wanted so bad to take her in his arms and tell her how sorry he was, but he felt that she should be the one to make the move this time.
“We’re here, sir.”
Nick jerked out of his thoughts. He paid the driver and got out of the taxi.
He looked at his watch. He was a couple of minutes early, but he figured that they had a table reserved, so he decided to wait inside. He walked over to a waitress who was standing just inside the door.
“Hi, I’m meeting someone here at 7. I think we have a reservation on Wright.” He said.
The waitress nodded. “Yes sir. You’re the first one to arrive, but I’ll show you to your table.”
Nick followed her inside and over to a table in a corner. A table for two.
“I think there’s a mistake here. There’s five more people coming.” He looked at her confused.
The waitress shook her head. “I don’t think so. We only have a reservation for two. But give me a minute and I’ll check, just to make sure.”
Nick nodded and sat down to wait. He started thinking about Cass again, and didn’t notice someone walking up to him.
“Nick?”
He looked up.
“Cass?”
Chapter 24 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 24

Nick looked up at Cass. She looked great, he thought. She was wearing a strapless black top and a black skirt that went just below her knees. Her almost black hair was pulled back and her make up was discrete.
“What are you doing here?” Cass was surprised to see Nick there, and the moment she saw him, she instinctively wanted to leave.
“I’m meeting the boys here for dinner with our manager. What are you doing here?”
“I’m having dinner with Holly.” Cass looked around. “She’s not here yet. And I think you’re sitting at our table.”
“Oh… I was shown to this table by a waitress. She’s checking the reservation again right now. There she is.” Nick nodded towards the waitress approaching the table.
“Umm… Nick and Cassidy?” She said, looking at them both.
Nick raised his eye brows suspiciously. “Yes?”
The waitress handed him a white envelope. “For you.” She said, and walked away.
“What’s that?” Cass walked to stand behind Nick so that she could see what it was.
“This smells like trouble.” Nick handed her the envelope and gestured for her to open it.
Cass hesitated.
“Come on, open it.” Nick said. He could guess what was coming, and he didn’t like the smell of it.
Cass slowly opened the envelope, and pulled out a folded piece of paper. She unfolded it, and read it out loud.

Nick and Cass.

We guess that you are close to figuring out what’s going on, and we’re really sorry. We just couldn’t watch you guys being miserable because of what happened. (although we don’t know what it’s all about.) So we hope that you’ll have dinner with each other tonight, and make up for what ever happened.
Nick; The meeting with Johnny isn’t until next week… sorry.
Cass; Don’t be mad at me. I’ll call you tomorrow and we’ll have dinner another time – Holly.

The table is reserved for the entire night.
Have fun.

Holly and Aj.


By the time Cass had finished reading the letter, she couldn’t help but feel really stupid.
“I should’ve known…” She whispered embarrassed. “I’m sorry, Nick. I’ll just go.” She gave him the letter, and began walking away.
Nick sat there for a few seconds, not knowing what to say. He realized then, that this was his chance to make up for what he had said, and explain the situation.
“No wait!” He stood up, and walked over to her. “Listen…I feel so bad for what happened the other night, and I’ve wanted to talk to you about it, but I just didn’t know what to say.” He looked down, and took her hand. “Have dinner with me tonight, Cass. We can talk about this. I know I have a lot to explain, but I think you do too.”
Cass sighed. She knew he was right, and that this was her chance to get past this and move on. But still, she felt really insecure about her feelings and she was afraid that her story would push him away, although he knew parts of it already.
“I don’t know Nick.” She hesitated.
“Please…” He pouted and looked down at her with his big blue eyes. She had to look away just to prevent herself from drowning in his gaze.
“Nick, I…” She trailed off.
Nick took her other hand in his. “Look… We don’t have to talk about what happened right now. Let’s just get to know each other a little better, and you can tell me whenever you’re ready. I don’t wanna push you.” He looked at her again, and when his eyes met hers, he knew he had won.
“Come on.” He led her over to their table again. They both sat down and the waitress came over again.
“Would you like something to drink?” She asked.
They both ordered water, and the waitress walked away, leaving them alone.
“So…” Nick said. “Let’s start over again. Hi, I’m Nickolas Gene Carter, but you can call me Nick. Don’t ever call me Nicky, and definitely NOT Gene. I’m a Backstreet Boy at heart; I’m blond, silly, charming, and I Rock, with a capital R! What about you?” He shook her hand firmly, causing her to laugh.
“Umm… I’m Cass…?” She said, still laughing.
Nick pretended to be disappointed. “Umm…I’m Cass? That’s it? Come on, you gotta do better than that!”
She took a few moments to collect herself, and then sat up straight.
“Ok…” She shook his hand, “I’m Cassidy Ann Jacobs, but you can call me Cass. I’ll hit you of you ever call me Cassy or Ann. I’m a dancer at heart, I’m poetic, crazy, strong, sensitive, and I Rock too! How’s that?” She said smiling.
“A lot better.”

They continued to talk and eat for the next two hours. They discovered that they had a lot in common, especially when it came to music. Cass had almost forgotten about the incidence at the club a few nights before, and so had Nick. They were both caught up in a fit of laughter because of something Cass had said, when Nick’s phone rang.
He pulled it out from his pocket and pushed the answer button.
“Hello.” He managed to say in between laughing.
“Hey man.”
“Aj, hi.”
Cass started laughing even more when she realized who it was, and so did Nick. Neither of them knew why though.
“Dawg, are you drunk?” Aj sounded surprised to hear Nick laughing.
“Drunk? No, I’m just having fun."
“I hope that’s Cass laughing in the background.”
Nick started to calm down a little, at least enough so that he could speak properly.
“Yea, it is.”
“Good.” Aj said. “You’re not mad are you?”
“Nah, it’s all good man.”
“Good. Oh, Holly wants to speak to Cass.”
“Ok, just a sec, I’ll put her on.” Nick handed Cass the phone. “Holly.” He said.
“Hello?” She said, still laughing a little.
“Cass, I’m so sorry! Are you mad at me?” Holly said apologetically.
“Holly, do I sound like I’m mad?”
“Umm… No?”
“Good. I’m not mad. I’m having a great time.” She said and smiled at Nick who smiled right back.
“You have no idea how relieved I am right now. I’ll let you to get back to what ever it was that you were doing. Call me tomorrow, k?”
“Ok, I will. Bye girl.”
“Bye.”
Cass hung up and handed Nick the phone.
“So are you really?” He asked.
“Am I what?”
“Having a good time?”
Cass looked shyly down at her hands and nodded. “Yea, I am.”
Nick reached over and took her hand in his. “Good.” He smiled. “You wanna get out of here and go for a walk or something?”
Cass smiled. “Sure.”

They paid and walked out of the restaurant. The evening was cool, and Cass looked down at her outfit, certain that she was going to get cold within minutes. Nick noticed this.
“Here.” He took off his jacket and put it around her shoulders.
Cass smiled shyly. “Thanks.”
They walked over to a park, and Nick started talking about the new record that they were going to start recording. Cass listened and noticed the passion in his voice when he spoke about music. She smiled and looked up at him, while Nick continued to talk. After a few minutes, he noticed that she was still looking at him.
“What?” He said. “Do I have something between my teeth?”
Cass laughed a little, “Music really is everything to you, isn’t it?” She asked.
Nick nodded. “Yea.” He took her hand and led her over to a bench that overlooked a small lake. “It is. Without the group and the guys, I don’t know where I’d be.” They sat down next to each other. “This is what I grew up with. It’s everything I’ve ever known.”
Cass nodded. “I wish I had something like that.” All of a sudden she sounded very sad, and Nick wanted more than anything to know what she was on her mind. As if she knew what he was thinking, she started telling him about her past. She hadn’t planned to, but at that moment, it felt right.
“I used to be like that with dancing. But after my mom died, I didn’t have the strength to continue. She always encouraged me to do my best, and she did everything she could to help me get somewhere. I think it was because she felt guilty because of dad leaving us. He left when I was ten, and I haven’t heard from him since. Mom remarried a few years later, but she always found time to spend some quality time with me.” Cass went silent, and prepared herself to tell Nick her story.
Nick sensed where this was going, and put an arm around her shoulders.
“Cass… It’s ok. You don’t have to do this now.”
She shook her head and looked at him. “No, I want to.” She continued talking, and as Nick listened to her he got more and more concerned. What she told him was worse than he could ever have imagined, and his heard was aching for her when she started to cry while telling him about the baby she had lost. He pulled her closer to him, and stroke her hair gently.
When she was finally finished telling him everything, she was crying uncontrollably. But she knew that this time, she wasn’t crying because she was sad, she was crying because she felt relieved. She was crying because she felt so safe in his arms, and because she could tell that he really cared. But at the same time, she was also crying because she was afraid. Afraid because she was having feelings for him that she never had allowed herself to feel before. She rested her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes. He continued to stroke her hair, and whispering comforting words to her.
“It’ll be ok, Cass. I won’t let anything happen to you, I promise.”
And for the first time, she truly believed him.
Chapter 25 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 25

Nick walked Cass home that night after spending yet another hour talking and trying to make her feel safe. She had cried in his arms, but he didn’t mind holding her and stroking her hair. Lying in bed later that night, Cass felt so relieved. It was hard telling Nick everything she had been keeping from him, but once she had done it, she didn’t regret it at all. His reaction had been better than she could have ever hoped for, and she truly felt like she could trust him when he said that he wouldn’t let anything happen to her.

The next day, they had gone for a short trip to Tampa, because Nick wanted to show her where he grew up. He also told her that he wanted to buy a house in the area, preferably on the beach as close to the shore as he could possibly get. They had lunch at a local pizza place that Nick referred to as “one of Florida’s hidden secrets.” Cass couldn’t remember the last time she had had so much fun, and certainly not with a guy. She was almost sad that the day would have to end so soon because she had to work.

The next afternoon, Cass and Holly were sitting in Holly’s living room, talking. Holly lived in an apartment just outside the city. It was brand new, with designer furniture and bright colours. Cass had loved it from the moment she stepped inside.
The girls were in the middle of a deep conversation involving Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom, when Holly’s phone rang. She looked at the display and giggled.
“AJ! Hi!”
Cass rolled her eyes, making kissing sounds. Holly laughed.
“Oh, nothing. Just Cass being a child.” Holly giggled to Aj’s response, and shot Cass a funny look.
There were a few moments of silence, as Holly listen to Aj, with a few “Oh’s” and “mmm’s” here and there.
“Sure, I’d love to.” She said smiling. “Yea, one sec.”
Holly handed Cass her phone. “Nick wants to talk to you.”
Cass blushed a little. “Ok,” she said.
“Hello?”
“Hey you!”
“Hi Nick.”
Now, it was Holly’s turn to roll her eyes. Cass giggled as Nick continued.
“Listen, you know that we start recording the day after tomorrow, right?” He didn’t wait for her to answer. “So we’re having a BBQ tomorrow afternoon. Aj just invited Holly. You have to come too Cass. You know, you never got to meet the rest of the guys, and they really wanna meet you. Pretty please!”
“Sure.”
“Cass, come on. Do it for me. I really want you to come.” Nick continued to persuade her.
Cass laughed. “Nick, I said yes.”
“Huh?”
“Yes, I’ll come.”
“Oh,” Cass could hear him smacking his forehead at the other end of the line, “great!”
“What time?”
“Umm, 3 o’ clock I think.”
“Ok, see you tomorrow then.”
“Great.”
“Bye Nick.”
“Bye Cass.”

The next day, the girls were on their way to Aj’s place in Holly’s car, following directions that Nick had given them earlier that day.
“So, what’s going on between you and Aj?” Cass asked curiously.
“Nothing!”
“Holly, come on. I know you like him. You talk about him all the time.”
Holly giggled.
“Are you blushing?” Cass joked.
Holly just shrugged, trying to hide her smile.
“Holly!”
“Ok, ok! I like him. Is that so bad?”
“Gosh, no. I never said it was bad. Did something happen between you?”
“NO!”
Cass shot Holly a look.
“Ok… we kissed. That’s all.” Holly said, blushing even more.
“Aww… he kissed you? That is so sweet. Is he good?”
“Cass!”
“Hol?”
Holly smiled. “He’s really good. I mean, the way his lips felt against mine, his warm tongue, his gentle touch, his spit blending with mine…”
“Ok, ok… enough.” Cass laughed, well aware of Holly’s sarcastic voice.
“I think we’re here.” Holly said.
Cass looked out the window. “Holy shit, this place is huge!”
The house looked like a mansion to her with the large gates and the tall fences surrounding it.
“How do we get in?” Cass asked concerned.
“Hang on. I’ll call Aj to let him know we’re here.”
She called him, and seconds later, they walked through the gates and up to the front door where they were met by Nick and Aj.
Nick waked up to Cass and gave her a big hug. “Hey, you look great.”
“Thanks.” Cass blushed and looked down at her outfit. She was wearing a bright green mini skirt and a pink tank top with matching pink sandals.
Cass couldn’t help to notice how good Nick looked too, but she was too shy to comment on it.
He took her hand and they followed Aj and Holly inside. They walked down the hallway and through the living room and outside, where the others were already seated. Cass started to feel pretty nervous as they walked up to them. Nick sensed this. He looked down at her, and squeezed her hand.
“You’ll be fine.” He whispered, giving her a smile.
They approached the table where everybody was sitting, and Nick introduced Cass.
“Everybody, I want you to meet Cassidy, Cass this is Howie, Kevin and his wife Kristen, Brian, his wife Leighann, and their son Baylee. Oh, and you should be really careful around him, cause he likes to punch a lot.” He said.
“Hi.” Cass said, “It’s nice to meet you.”
“It’s nice to meet you too Cass, can we call you Cass?” Brian said, smiling.
“Yea, sure.”
“Oh, and don’t worry about Baylee. He only punches Thor.”
Cass looked confused, as the other laughed. “Who’s Thor?” She asked.
“Oh, Thor is just Ni…” Nick walked around the table, covering Brian’s mouth with his hand before he could finish his sentence.
“Let’s not talk about this right now, Rok.” He said, smirking. “I’ll tell you later, Cass. Now, let’s eat.”
Cass, Nick, Aj and Holly found their seats around the table, and they all spent the next couple of hours, talking and having fun.

Later that day, they were all hanging out by the pool. Aj and Brian had decided to go for a swim together with Baylee, and the rest of the gang were having a lot of fun watching them. Baylee had come up with a game that no one quite understood, other than the fact that it involved a lot of splashing. After almost an hour in the pool, Aj was standing talking to Kevin, and Brian decided it was time for Baylee’s nap. He helped Baylee out of the pool, and just as he was about to get up himself, Baylee ran over to Aj and pulled down his shorts.
“Holy shit!” Aj yelled out in surprise.
They all burst out laughing while Aj just stood there in shock. It took a few seconds for him to react and pull up his shorts, and by then, everyone had seen Zeus in all his pride.
Baylee just giggled and ran inside, followed by Leighann.
“Did you see that Rok?”
Brian was laughing so hard that he couldn’t even answer. He just nodded.
“Well, aren’t you gonna do something?”
Brian shook his head. Everybody was practically lying on the ground in fits of laughter by then, and Aj had a really hard time staying serious.
“Guys, come on. It’s not funny.”
Nick nodded. “So funny…” He said as he wiped away a few tears rolling down his cheek.
It took almost half an hour for everybody to calm down, and by the time they did, they were all exhausted. Aj had joined in on the laughter eventually, and seemed to have forgotten the embarrassing situation.

Later that night, Nick and Cass were sitting by the pool, talking. The others had gone inside to watch a movie, and Nick had taken the opportunity to be alone with Cass.
“I’m glad you came today.” He said without looking at her.
Cass smiled. “I’m glad I came too. I had so much fun.”
“Yea, me too.”
They fell silent, both lost in their own thoughts.
“What are you thinking about?” Nick asked after a while.
Cass shrugged. “Nothing in particular. You?”
“You. I’m thinking about you.” He said, turning his head to look at her.
Cass looked down and blushed. She didn’t know what to say.
“See, you always do that when I look at you.”
“Do what?”
“Blush, and look down.”
“I’m sorry, I just…” She whispered, not wanting to say the wrong thing.
Nick shook his head. “No, it’s ok.”
“I’m just not used to compliments and stuff.”
“Well, you should start to get used to it. I really like you Cass.”
Cass forced herself to look at him. “I like you too Nick.”
He smiled at her, and Cass sighed. This was the reason that she avoided his gaze. She was afraid that if she looked into his eyes too long, she would never be able to break away.
“Can I kiss you?” He whispered, lowering his face a little.
All Cass could do was nod. Nick brought his hand up to her chin and pulled her face closer to his. She closed her eyes and felt his warm lips on hers. The kiss was tender and passionate. Everything she had ever wanted a kiss to be. ‘I never want this to end’ she thought to herself.
Chapter 26 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 26

6 months later.

It was in August that the guys could finally release their new album that they had been working on for over 8 months. They were now facing an upcoming tour that would take them to Europe, Asia, Canada and the US. They would be on the road for ten months with a couple of weeks off now and then.

Nick and Cass had gotten very close during the past months, and everybody around them looked at them as if they were a couple.
Everybody besides Nick and Cass.
Both really wanted to, but Cass was too afraid to ask, and Nick was afraid to push her, knowing what she had been through. Even though they weren’t officially an item, they still did everything a couple would have done.
Everything but sex.
Neither of them had ever brought up the subject, and every time they came close to a situation that could lead to sex, Cass would hold back and break away from the moment.

It was now one week until the guys left for Europe. Cass was sitting in Mary’s living room, reading a magazine, when her phone rang. She looked at the display, and smiled.
“Hi Nick.”
“Hey. What’s up?”
Cass smiled at the sound of his voice. She always forgot how good he could make her feel just by talking to her.
“Nothing, just reading a magazine.”’
“You wanna do something today?”
“Like, now?”
“Yea.”
Just then, the doorbell rang.
“Hang in Nick, there’s someone at the door.” She stood up from the couch and walked over to the door. She opened it and had to laugh when she saw who it was. She hung up and put the phone down.
“Nick! What are you doing here?”
He was standing there with a huge smile on his back, both hands on his back.
“Hi honey.” He leaned forward and gave her a kiss and a hug.
Cass out her arms around his neck, and put her head on his shoulder. He smelled so good, and she didn’t want to pull away.
“What are you doing here?” She asked again.
Nick pulled away and handed her a bouquet of red roses. Cass looked surprised.
“But…why?”
“Happy birthday Cassidy!” He smiled and gave her another kiss.
Cass looked even more surprised.
“But… how?” She said.
“Holly told me.”
”But I never told Holly.”
“Mary did. Cass, why didn’t you tell me?”
Cass sighed and walked into the living room again, lying the flowers down on the table as she passed it. She walked over to the window, and looked outside. Nick walked up behind her and put his arms around her waist.
“Hey… things are different now Cass. You have me now. And Holly and the guys.”
She sighed. “I know.” She turned around to look him in the eyes. “Thank you Nick.”
He pulled her into another hug and held her for a few moments.
“You ok?” He whispered into her ear.
“Yea…” She nodded.
“Great,” Nick said, taking her hand, “because I have the whole day planned for us.”
Cass laughed, “…what?”
“Yea, come on. We’re late.”
“Late for what?”
“You’ll see.”

“Just wait here.” Nick said as they pulled up in front of a building. “I’ll be right back. I just have to meet someone.”
“But…” Cass was about to protest, but before she could say anything he had walked out of the car and closed the door.
Cass just sat there, trying to keep herself from following him. It was hard for her to understand how much her life had changed in the past few months. For the first time in long time, she was happy, and she knew it was all because of Nick. She had allowed herself to trust him a long time ago, and she was so happy that he was a part of her life. Even though she wasn’t sure where their relationship was heading, she knew that at least he would always be a part of her life. Cass didn’t want to admit to herself that she was in love with him, even though she knew deep down that she was. She wanted to tell him, but every time she tried, the words wouldn’t come out, and she always changed the subject. She was afraid that he didn’t feel the same way about her, and she didn’t want to lose what they had. They always had such a good time together. Going to the beach, playing video games, movie nights where they would stay up late and fall asleep on the couch in each others arms, dinners, and just hanging out, or Nick’s definition; making out. There was never a dull moment.

Cass was lost in her own thoughts when there was a knock on the window. She jerked out of her thoughts and gave out a little squeal. Nick was standing on the other side, his face pressed against the window, making a funny face. Cass laughed and gave him a funny face back.
“Did I scare you?” He asked her once he was inside the car.
“Just a little.” Cass smiled.
“You looked like you were in your own little world, so I just figured I’d give you a scare.”
“Yea, thanks.” She said, rolling her eyes.
Nick started the engine, “You ready to go to our next stop?”
“Yea, if only I knew what our next stop is.”
“You’ll see when we get there.”
“So you say.”

Half an hour later, Nick parked the car in front of a house that Cass had never seen before. They got out of the car and Nick grabbed her hand and walked her over to the modest gates. He pulled out a set of keys, and opened them.
“Ladies first.” He said and waited for Cass to enter the property.
She looked around. The house was painted in white and had big windows, giving it a modern look. It wasn’t too big, but just the right size.
“Where are we? I’ve never been here before.” Cass asked curiously.
“I know you haven’t.” Nick grinned.
“And…?”
“I bought it.” He said proudly.
Cass raised her brows. “You what?”
“I bought it.”
“You did?” Cass looked at him to see if he was joking. “You’re not joking?”
He shook his head.
“Oh my god. Nick…. Wow. I don’t know what to say.”
“Come on.” He grabbed her hand again. “I wanna show you.”
Cass smiled, but didn’t move.
“What?” Nick asked. “You don’t like it?”
“I love it Nick. It’s amazing. I know you said you wanted to buy a house here, but that was like months ago. I kinda thought you had forgotten about it.”
“Nope. I just had to wait for the right one. This one is perfect. It’s not too big, but still, it’s big enough… if you know what I mean. Come on.”
He walked her over to the front door and unlocked it. They stepped inside and he began showing her around. The first room they entered was the living area. It was a big open space, with large windows that overlooked the beach and the ocean. It was the most amazing view Cass had ever seen.
The kitchen was next to the living area to the left. It had blue tiles on the floor and the walls were painted white. There was a small breakfast bar, and an opening that led to the dining area. On the other side of the living room, there was a good sized bathroom with a hot tub.
Outside, there was a balcony that went from one side to the other.
They walked upstairs, and Nick showed her the master bedroom, and two guestrooms, a king size bathroom and a walk in closet. There was also a small balcony in his room.
Cass was in awe as he showed her all the rooms. The house was unique, and she was so happy for him that he finally found one he liked.
When Nick was done showing her the inside, he took her outside again, and showed her the swimming pool and the basketball court.

“Why did you buy this when you’re going away in a week Nick?” Cass asked him. “You’ll never get to hang out here. And who’s gonna keep an eye on it?”
Nick smiled. “There’s one more thing I wanna show you. It will answer your question.”
He took her hand and led her to the back of the house. As they did, Cass realized that the house also had a basement with an own entrance.
“Close your eyes?” He said as he unlocked the door.
Cass looked at him suspiciously.
“Come on. Close your eyes. “
She did as she was told. She could hear Nick opening the door and walking in, talking her hand to lead her inside.
“Ok, now open them.”
Cass slowly opened her eyes, and took a few moments to look around.
They were standing in an apartment.
“It’s an apartment….” Cass said, “Nick, I don’t understand.”
Nick took both her hands in his and looked down at her.
“Who’s gonna look after my house while I’m gone? You are Cass.”
“What?”
“I want you to live here. In this apartment.” He smiled down at her.
“What?” Cass asked again, her voice slightly irritated. “I can’t believe you. You just assume that I wanna live here? How can you do that? How can you tell me to live in a place like this without even asking me first?” She said, raising her voice.
Nick looked shocked. “But… I just thought that…”
Before he had finished his sentence, Cass had stormed out of the apartment, leaving Nick behind with a hurt look on his face.
Chapter 27 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 27

A few moments later, Nick walked out of the apartment to look for Cass. He was confused and hurt, and was trying to figure out why she had reacted the way she had. He had expected her to be happy about his offer, not angry.
He looked around, and didn’t see her at first. Then, he spotted her. She had walked down to the beach and was standing on the shore, her back to him, and her bare feet in the sand. Even from where he was standing, about a hundred feet away from her, she looked almost sad. Nick stood there for a few moments looking at her. She was still the most beautiful girl he had ever met, and the fact that she was as vulnerable as she appeared to be, made her almost mysterious in his eyes. He had never quite understood her, and he wasn’t sure he was ever going to.

Nick made his way down to the beach and walked up to stand next to her. They stood there for a few minutes, without saying anything. Nick could see in the corner of his eye that she had been crying. Suddenly, she cleared her throat and turned to face him.
“I’m sorry Nick…” She whispered.
Nick looked down at her, and the moment he looked into her eyes, he knew she meant it.
“I just don’t understand, Cass.” He was aware of the fact that his voice sounded a bit cold, but he couldn’t help it. As much as he cared about her, he was still upset.
Cass sighed and took his hand.
“I just didn’t know how to react. No one has ever done something like this to me before, Nick. All my life I’ve been let under the impression that everything is going to be ok, but it never turned out that way.”
“But I thought you trusted me…” He said, his voice a lot softer this time.
“I do trust you Nick. I trust you with my life, and that’s the part that scares me. You’ve changed my life so much, and I’ve never felt like this about anybody before. And the fact that you never tell me how you feel scares me, because I’m afraid that you don’t care the way that I do, and that I might lose you.” She looked down, tears rolling down her cheek.
“I don’t know what I’d do without you, Nick.” She whispered.
“God, Cass…” He pulled her into a hug and let her cry on his shoulder.
“I’m sorry…” She whispered again.

“Why didn’t you tell me before?” He said when Cass had calmed down a little.
“Well… you never asked, and I was afraid to tell you, because I thought that the reason you didn’t ask, was because you didn’t care.”
Nick looked stunned, but at the same time, he knew she was right. He never did tell her how he felt, but only because he was afraid that he might scare her away.
“You know, I was gonna do this later today, but I think now is the perfect time.” He stepped a little closer to her and brought his hands up to touch her face. “You wanna know how I feel?” He asked.
Cass gulped, and slowly nodded her head.
Nick pushed away a strain of her dark hair, and looked deep into her eyes.
“I love you Cassidy.” He said softly.
A small smile erupted on Cass’ face. “You do?”
“More than anything.”
“Oh, Nick. I love you too!”
It was his turn to smile now. He leaned forward and gently brushed his lips against hers. Cass put her arms around his neck and returned the kiss. It was soft at first, but then it grew more passionate and after only a few seconds, they were completely lost in each other. As the kiss ended, Nick pulled out a small box from his pocket and gave it to her. “Here, I was gonna give it to you tonight, but I want you to have it now.”
Cass smiled. “What is it?”
“Open it.”
She slowly unwrapped the paper and opened the box. Once she saw what was inside, she gasped.
“Nick…it’s beautiful.”
He had bought her a small diamond necklace, shaped as a small anchor.
“You know what the anchor means?” He asked her.
Cass nodded. “Hope…”
“Hope never dies, Cass. When I leave in a week, I hope that you’ll still be here when I get back, and I hope that you’ll never give up on us. And it also means that I’ll always be here for you. I’ll never drift away.”
Cass could feel tears running down her cheek as she looked at Nick.
“It’s the most beautiful thing no one has ever gotten me. Thank you Nick.”
“You welcome. I love you.” He kissed her again.
“I love hearing you say that.” Cass smiled.
“I love you.”
“Say it again.”
“I love you, I love you, I love you.”
Cass giggled and kissed him.
“Come on, let’s get back to the car.” Nick grabbed her hand and started walking, but Cass stopped him.
“Wait. One question.” She walked closer to him. “When can I move in?”
Nick’s eyes lit up. “I thought you didn’t want to.”
“Of course I want to.” She smiled.
“We’ll move your stuff in the next couple of days. All of my things are being moved from LA tomorrow. We have one week to get everything ready.”
“Ok.” She gave him a small kiss.
Nick smiled down at her. “You know… sometimes, I really don’t get you Cass.”
“Sometimes I don’t get me either…”

Once they were back in the car, Nick pulled out something from a bag that he had brought.
“Close you eyes.” He told Cass.
“Nick…please.”
“No, close your eyes.”
Cass did as he told her, and seconds later, she could feel Nick covering her eyes with something.
“What? You’re blindfolding me?”
Nick laughed. “Yup!”
“Oh, god… this can’t be good.” Cass giggled.
Nick started the car, and drove away, spending the next half hour trying to convince Cass that they were not going that far.

Once they reached their destination, Nick parked the car, and helped Cass outside.
“Can I take it off now?” She asked, curious to know where they were.
“Nope. Not yet.”
He took her hand and led her up a few stairs and inside a building. Cass was certain that she heard voices as they entered, but seconds later, it was all quiet again, and she couldn’t hear a sound.
“Ok, I’ll count to three, and you can take off the blindfold, ok?”
Cass nodded, and got ready to remove it.
“One… two… three!”
“SURPRISE!!!!”
Cass removed her blindfold and found herself in Aj’s living room in the middle of a crowd consisting of Holly, Aj, Brian, Leighann, Baylee, Kevin, Kristin, Howie and of course Nick.
“Happy birthday!” They all shouted at once. Cass laughed.
“Aww… you guys.” She looked over at Nick, who flashed her a smile.
They all went over to Cass, giving her hugs and handing her presents.
“This is too much guys.” She said, almost embarrassed.
Just then, Nick started to laugh. He nodded towards the table where Cass had placed her presents. They all turned around, and saw Baylee unwrapping one of them.
“Baylee!” Leighann rushed over to him and lifted him up and away from the presents. “That’s Cass’ presents. You’ll get your own in a few months.” Baylee started crying at this statement.
“I want present.” He cried.
Cass smiled and stood up, and walked over to him. “Hey, you know what? Why you help me open them. You can sit on my lap.” She patted his hair, and Baylee smiled and nodded.
“You should be careful with that.” Nick said. “He might hit you.”
Brian rolled his eyes. “Nick, that was months ago. He doesn’t do that anymore.”
“Yea, yea…” Nick said.

Cass went to open up her presents together with Baylee. She was so happy with all the things they had gotten her. Holly had bought her a beautiful silver bracelet, from Howie and Aj she got an mp3 player, Kevin and Kristin had gotten her a cell phone (to keep in touch while they were on the road), and Brian and Leighann gave her a brand new watch from Gucci.
Cass was shocked on how much money they had spent on her, but they all insisted that she deserved it.

As the party came close to an end, Nick walked over to Cass after being away for a while.
“Hey, where were you?” She asked.
He smiled at her and put his arms around her. “Just talking care of something. You ready to leave?”
“Leave?”
“You didn’t think this was it, did you?”
“What do you mean?”
“I have one more thing planned for you.”
“Nick…”
“Come on.” He grabbed her hand, and led her outside.
“But… I have to say good bye to everybody.”
“Oh, they’ll be fine.” He walked her over to his car again and helped her inside.
“Where are we going?”
“You’ll see!” He smirked.
Cass just sighed. She was too tired to even argue with him. As he drove away, she closed her eyes, and moments later, she was fast asleep.

She woke up a little while later, feeling Nick’s lips on hers.
“We’re here.” He whispered stroking her hair.
Cass stirred, and opened her eyes. She looked outside, and found that they had returned to the house that Nick had just bought.
“Why are we here?”
“Well, aren’t we asking a lot of questions today.” He said. “Come on, I’ll show you.”
They walked inside, upstairs and stopped in front of the door leading to Nick’s room. Cass could feel herself starting to get a little nervous. Nick opened the door, and waited for Cass to enter. She walked inside the room, and gasped when she saw what was inside.
“Oh, Nick…” The room was covered with candles. In the middle of the room, there was a mattress that had been made, and covered in rose pedals. Nick came up behind her and put his arms around her waist. He could feel her shaking, and bend down to kiss her neck.
“You don’t have to be nervous Cass. I know what you’re thinking. I just wanna hold you tonight. Nothing more, ok?”
Cass nodded and turned around. “Ok.” She whispered.
“Happy birthday Cass.”
Chapter 28 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 28

The next morning, Cass woke up to the sound of rain hitting the window. The room was dark, and at first, she didn’t remember where she was. Then, she thought of the previous day, and had to smile to herself. She turned around on the mattress, and found Nick lying next to her, fast asleep, his mouth slightly open. Cass lay there for a few minutes, listening to his steady breathing, thinking about the day before and what was going to happen when he left. The thought of not seeing him almost every day was terrifying to her. She had gotten so used to having him around, and she was afraid that she wouldn’t feel safe when he was away.
Cass looked at his peaceful face and reached out to stroke his cheek. He stirred and slowly opened his eyes to look at her.
“Hey.” He whispered, his voice a bit groggy.
“Hey you.” Cass replied. Her hand was still touching his face, and Nick placed his hand over hers.
“Come here.” He said, and pulled her closer to him. He put his arms around her and kissed her forehead. Cass rested her head on his chest and closed her eyes.
“I love you.” She whispered.
“I love you too.”
Seconds later, they were both asleep again.

A couple of hours later, they were still in bed, none of them wanting to get up. They both had the day off and knew that they wanted to spend it together, just the two of them. It was still raining, another reason for them not to go anywhere.
“I don’t think I’ve ever been this relaxed.” Cass said, looking at Nick.
“I know. I just wanna stay like this forever.” He was stroking her hair and giving her small kisses.
“We should start moving my stuff today though, before yours get here. You have a lot more things than I do.”
“Aww… come on. I don’t wanna think about that right now. I just wanna stay here and cuddle.” He pulled her even closer if possible and started placing small kisses on her neck.
A moan escaped Cass’ lips.
“You like that, huh?” Nick whispered.
“Yea,” she smiled, “but I like this even better.” She lifted her head a little and placed a kiss on his warm lips. Nick returned the kiss with all the passion that he felt. And once again, Cass found herself lost in his embrace. His body felt so warm against hers and she couldn’t help but feel like she wanted to be even closer to him. If he had made his move now, she probably would have given in. Instead, he continued to kiss her, stroking her back and her hair. She could tell that he was turned on, but she knew he wouldn’t try anything with her because of how she had reacted the last time he had tried to go any further.
“What’s wrong?” Nick suddenly said.
“Huh?”
“You stopped… What’s wrong?”
Cass hadn’t realized that she had stopped kissing him while she was thinking.
“Oh, nothing.” She didn’t know how to tell him what she was thinking.
Nick sensed that something was wrong though. “Cass… I need to know what my girlfriend is thinking. Tell me.”
“Your girlfriend, huh?” Cass smiled. He had never called her that before.
“Yea, well isn’t that what you are?”
“I don’t know. You never asked…” She said.
Nick smiled and looked down at her. “Well, then I guess I’ll have to ask then.”
She chuckled a little. “Yea, I guess you do.” She waited for him to continue. He took her face in his strong masculine hands and looked deep into her eyes.
“Cass, will you be my girlfriend?” His thumb was carefully stroking her chin, and all she could do was nod.
“Good.” He said. “Now that that’s settled, tell me what you were thinking about?”
Cass laughed, hitting his arm. “Nick… come on.”
“What?”
“You just made it sound like you asked me to be your girlfriend, just so that you could make me tell you what I was thinking about.”
“So you were thinking about something?”
Cass sighed, and suddenly got very serious. “I guess.”
“Then tell me. I’ll make you feel better.”
“I don’t know Nick… I’m not very good at this.”
“Cass…” He said, pouting.
She sighed again. “I was just thinking, you know, we got pretty intimate just now… and it kinda just made me think about…. You know… umm.”
“Sex?”
Cass looked away from his gaze. “Yea.” She whispered.
“Hey… you know I would never push you into anything. It’s up to you Cass. I know what you’ve been through, and I don’t wanna scare you. I’ll wait forever if I have to. It doesn’t matter to me. And when it does happen, I want us both to want it. If not, it wouldn’t be the same.”
“Yea, but it’s just that I know I kinda rejected you the last time… but it felt a lot different this time, you know. Like, I almost wanted something to happen. I mean, I know the moment is kinda ruined now, but I just wanted you to know that I can’t find anything that’s holding me back any longer. I trust you, Nick, and I know you would never do anything to hurt me.”
He smiled at her, and kissed her softly. “I love you”
“I love you too.”

Six days later, Cass and Nick were carrying the last of the boxes into Nick’s house. They had been busy moving all week, and the guys were leaving for Europe the next day. It was still raining outside, and as the final box hit the floor on the tiles in the hall, they were both soaked and cold.
“You know, this could have been so much easier if it wasn’t raining outside.” Nick said, taking off his wet shoes.
“I know. I’m so freakin’ cold.” Cass’ hair was dripping wet, as was her clothes.
“You wanna go and take a shower?”
“Yea, I guess I should. I’ll come back up when I’m done.” She said, and turned to walk out and down to her apartment.
“No, wait.” Nick grabbed her hand and stopped her. “Use mine. You’ll get all wet again once you go outside. I don’t want you to get sick. You can use the guest bathroom.” Nick bent down to open one of the boxes that they had carried inside, and pulled out one of his t-skirts and a pair of baggy jeans that he handed to her.
Cass laughed. “Well, this will make me look attractive.” She joked.
“It will.” He grinned and raised an eyebrow. “I’ve always wanted to see you wearing my clothes. It’s sexy.”
“Sexy because it’s your clothes, or sexy because it’s me wearing your clothes?” Cass asked, laughing.
“Both.”
“You’re weird Carter.”
“So are you.” He pulled her close and gave her a kiss. Cass could feel goosebumps crawling up her back. She wasn’t sure if it was because of Nick, or just the fact that she was freezing, though she was pretty sure it was because of Nick.
“I’ll see you in a bit.” She pulled away, walked over to the bathroom and locked the door behind her.

Nick felt the warm water run down his body. It felt so good. He had wanted to suggest that Cass should join him in the shower, but she had been so quick to lock the door behind her, that he hadn’t gotten the chance to bring it up. He had waited for an opportunity like that the whole week, but it always felt wrong to ask. Ever since she had confessed to him that she felt (almost) ready to go to the next level, he had gotten these images in his mind that only made him want her even more. It made it so hard for him to be alone in a room with her without wanting to jump all over her. He constantly had to remind himself that sex wasn’t that important. What was important was that he loved her, and right now, he hated the thought of him having to leave her the next day. He forced himself not to think about it, and started humming a song instead. He had been thinking about writing Cass a song, but he hadn’t gotten the time to sit down and do so, maybe he would once they got on the road. He knew that they would have many hours on their bus, and not much to do while they were on tour.

Nick didn’t know how long he had been in the shower, but his skin was starting to get wrinkles, so he figured it was time to get out. He quickly dried and got dressed before he went downstairs to find Cass. He could hear sounds coming from the kitchen, and walked in that direction.
As he entered, he saw Cass standing in front of the microwave, her back to him, wearing the clothes he had offered her. He walked up to her and put his arms around her waist from behind. She jerked, and quickly turned around.
“Gosh, you scared me.”
Nick laughed. “Sorry.” He bent down and kissed her forehead.
Cass looked shyly down at her outfit, feeling a bit stupid.
Nick sensed what she was thinking, and looked down at her. “You look hot.” He smiled.
“Do I hear some irony in your voice?” Cass asked.
Nick shook his head. “No.” He said honestly and gave her a hug. “You look beautiful.”
Cass put her arms around his neck. He smelled so good.
“You smell nice.” She said to him, burying her face in his sweatshirt.
“You do too, like you’ve just gotten out of the shower.”
Cass chuckled. “I just have, you fool.” She hit him in the chest.
“Ouch!” He pretended to look hurt. Cass ignored him.
“I’m making us some hot cocoa. It’s nearly done.”
“Great. I’ll just be in the living room. Tell me of you need help, ok?”
Cass nodded, and Nick turned around and walked out of the kitchen.

A couple of hours later, they were both sitting on the couch, watching a movie, a rather boring one actually. Cass was resting her head on Nick’s shoulder, and Nick had an arm around her.
“This movie is really boring, Nick.” Cass sighed.
“I know.” He looked at his watch. It was almost midnight. “It’s getting pretty late though. We should go to bed soon. I have to get up at 9 to catch my flight.”
Cass nodded, and stood up from the couch.
“I’ll just turn off all the lights, and meet you upstairs.” Nick said. He sensed that something was bothering her. She had been acting a bit distant for the past few hours. He figured it was because of the fact that he was leaving the next day, and didn’t want to bring it up. He followed her upstairs to his bedroom, and walked in. His bedroom was the only room in the house that was completely finished, with the walls painted and all the furniture in place.
Cass was standing in the middle of the room, waiting for Nick to enter. He walked straight up to her, seeing that she looked really nervous.
“Baby, what’s wrong?” He said concerned.
She looked down, as if she was trying to gather her thoughts and try to find the right words to say. She took a deep breath and spoke.
“I’m ready, Nick.” She whispered.
“Ready?”
Cass reached out and took his hands in hers. “I want to be with you. Tonight. I don’t want to wait any longer.”
It took a few seconds for Nick to realize what she was talking about, but once he did, his lips formed into a smile.
“Are you sure?”
Cass nodded. “I’m sure. I’m just nervous. This would almost be like my first time, you know. But I trust you Nick, and I know that I’m safe in your arms.”
Nick pulled her into a hug.
“Make love to me, Nick.” Cass whispered into his ear.
He nodded, and took her face in his hands to look at her. “Promise me one thing. Don’t ever take your eyes off mine, and of you want me to stop, tell me. Ok?”
Cass nodded, and lifted her head to kiss his soft lips. Nick deepened the kiss, and brought his hands down to her waist. He could feel her heart beating almost as if it was his own, as he gently removed her clothes.
“You are so beautiful.” He whispered, looking at her naked body in front of him.
Cass smiled a shy smile, and looked down, but Nick quickly lifted her head. “Look at me.” He reminded her. She nodded slowly, as Nick started to take off his own clothes.
He lay her down on the bed, and started kissing her with all the passion that he had in him.
And as they became one, Cass couldn’t help but think that she had never felt this good in her entire life.
Chapter 29 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 29

Nick and Cass arrived at the airport the next day together with Holly and the rest of the guys. Cass had been dreading this day ever since she found out that Nick was going on tour, and all she could do now, was try not to burst into tears in front of everybody. She didn’t even want to think about how lonely she would feel once he’d left.
“You ok?” Nick asked her as they entered the airport building.
Cass shrugged and looked down. Nick knew what she was thinking, and he put an arm around her shoulder and pulled her closer to him as they walked over to the check in counter.
“You’ll be fine, Cass. I’ll be back before you know it.”
She nodded slightly, and walked over to Holly while the guys checked in their luggage.
Cass sighed. “I’m gonna miss him so much…” She said, watching Nick from a distance.
“Yea, I know.” Holly said. “I’m gonna miss Alex too.” The two girls exchanged looks.
“It’s kinda funny though.” Holly continued, “I mean, if someone had told me a year ago that we would be here, dating two of the Backstreet Boys, I probably would’ve laughed at them.”
“Yea, I know.”
“I can’t believe we’ve been this lucky.”
“I can’t believe they’re gonna be away for ten months.”
Holly chuckled and took a deep breath. “I’ll miss him so much.”
The two girls hugged.
“God, we’re so pathetic…” Cass didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, and neither did Holly, so they just did something in between.
Just then, the guys walked up to them. Both Aj and Nick had a confused look on their faces, seeing that the girls were in a fit of laughter, but at the same time, tears rolling down their cheeks.
“Women…” They both said at the same time.
Nick walked up to Cass and put an arm around her waist. “So… are you laughing because you’re happy that I’m leaving, or crying because you won’t have to see my cute face for the next months?”
Cass turned around to face him. “Well… a little bit of both I think.” She joked.
Nick pretended to look hurt.
“Guys, five minutes, and we’ll have to go, ok?” Johnny, their manager shouted.
Cass looked down, realizing that the moment she had been dreading was getting closer.
“Come on, let’s go and sit over there.” Nick took her hand and led her over to a bench where they sat down next to each other. He took a deep breath and looked at her.
“So this is it…” His voice was shaking, and Cass could tell that he, like her, was close to tears.
“I guess it is…” Cass didn’t know what to say, she just wanted to hold him. Nick must have thought the same thing, because seconds later, he wrapped his arms around her.
“I’ll miss you so much.” He whispered into her ear. He could feel her shaking, and knew that she was crying. “Don’t cry, baby. We’ll see each other soon. I’ll try to come home for thanksgiving.”
Cass pulled away and took his face in her hands to look at him. “Thanksgiving is over two months away, Nick…”
He sighed. “I know… Listen,” he said firmly, “we’ll find a way, ok? Don’t think about that right now.”
He leaned closer and gently kissed her lips. Cass returned the kiss as if it was the last time she would ever kiss him. A few minutes later they were interrupted by Johnny, again.
“Ok, guys. It’s time. We have a flight to catch.”
Cass and Nick broke away from the kiss and stood up.
“I’ll call you everyday.” Nick promised.
“You better,” Cass smiled through her tears as Nick pulled her in for one last hug.
“I love you so much, baby.”
“I love you too Nick.” She kissed him again not wanting to let him go, but he pulled away, and squeezed her hand.
“Bye Cass.”
“Good bye Nick.” She whispered as he turned around and walked away.

“Cass! Open up. Hurry!!!”
Cass was jerked out of her dream by Holly, who was banging on her front door.
“I’m coming Hol. One sec.” She said, walking over to unlock the front door.

It was two months later, and Thanksgiving was getting closer. Cass had just received a call from Nick the day before, telling her that he wouldn’t be able to make it home due to their hectic schedule. Cass had been very upset, but she understood that he was committed to his job, and that she just had to wait a bit longer to see him. They spoke on the phone every day, sometimes even twice, and she had gotten used to the fact that he was away. For the first couple of weeks after he left, she had felt so alone in the big apartment. She was scared that her past would catch up on her, and that she would forget how to trust, but after some time, she had gotten used to being alone. At least she had Holly, who spent a lot of time at Cass’ place, and Cass also visited Mary as often as she could. She still had the job at the club, but she realized that she soon wanted to apply for other, more serious jobs.

“Come on, Cass. Open up.”
Cass ran the last few feet over to the door and opened it, causing Holly to stumble through the opening.
“I am sooo good!” She said, popping down on the white comfy couch in Cass’ living room.
“Well… hello to you too.” Cass said laughing, as she sat down next to her friend. “What did you do, Hol?”
“I am the most genius person alive.” She said throwing out her arms, almost hitting Cass in the face.
“So, are you gonna tell me about it?”
“Hell yea!” She bent down to get something out from her purse. “Brace yourself, Cass. You’re gonna love me for the rest of your life.”
Cass laughed excitedly. “You’ve got my attention.”
“Ok. A friend of mom works for American Airlines. A couple of years ago, mom did him a pretty good favour, which I won’t go into detail about, and he always said that if she ever needed something in return, she could just ask him. So… here.” Holly handed Cass an envelope. “Open it.”
Cass opened the envelope and pulled out a piece of paper.
“A flight ticket? Holly, I don’t understand.”
“Read it!”
“From Orlando international, FL to Charles De Gaulle, PARIS! Are you kidding me???”
Holly shook her head. “We’re gonna go see our boys! We leave tomorrow.”
She stood up from the couch, pulling Cass with her as they both jumped up and down in the middle of the floor.
“I can’t believe this!” Cass said, not knowing what leg to stand on.
“I know.” Holly laughed. “And guess what. We’re flying first class too, both ways. And we don’t have to pay one singe dollar.”
“You have no idea how much I love you right now.”
“Told you so.” Holly said, giving Cass a hug.
“You haven’t told Aj yet, have you?”
“Nope. And I’m not planning on it either. We’re gonna surprise them, big time. I spoke to Brian though. He’s gonna make sure they’re at the hotel when we arrive, and he promised not to tell.”
“Oh, I’m so excited!” Cass said, but then suddenly realized something. “Man… I have to work tomorrow.”
Holly smiled. “You’re gonna love me even more now. I spoke to Mike and explained the situation. You have the whole week off.”
Cass gave Holly another hug. “Thank you so much Hol.”
“You welcome. I’ve seen how much you miss Nick, and I miss Alex just as much. It’ll be good for us to spend some time with them again.”
“I can’t wait!”
“I’m gonna pick you up tomorrow morning at 8. Our flight is at 11. I really have to get home and pack now, and so should you. Oh… and Brian told me that Paris is kinda chilly at this time of the year, so you should pack some warm clothes.”
“Ok. I’ll be sure to remember that. I’ll call you tonight to make sure I’ve got everything, k?”
“Sure thing.”
Cass followed Holly over to the front door. “I can’t wait until tomorrow.”
“I know.” Holly smiled and gave Cass another hug.
“See you.”
“Bye Cass.”

The girls arrived at the airport the next day almost two hours before their flight was due to depart. While they were waiting to board the plane, Cass’ phone rang. She saw Nick’s number show on the display, and suddenly got really nervous. This was the first time she would have to lie to him.
“It’s Nick…” She said to Holly before she pressed the answer button.
“Hey baby.” She spoke, trying not to sound nervous.
“Hey. How are you?”
“Oh, fine.”
“Whatcha doing?” He asked her.
Cass gulped. “Umm… nothing, really.” She said, trying to sound convincing. “Just watching TV.”
“It’s noisy in the background. What are you watching?”
“Oh… it’s umm… it’s a documentary about… umm… American Airlines. Yea, a documentary”
“Cass, are you ok? You sound weird.”
“Yea, I’m fine. Just tired I guess. I miss you.”
“I miss you too, baby. I feel so bad for not coming home for thanksgiving.” He said.
“I know Nick… but it’s ok. I understand that you have to work. We’ll see each other soon.”
‘Sooner than you think’ Cass thought to herself.
“Listen, I have to go. We’ve got an interview with some radio station. I just wanted to say hi. I’ll call you later tonight, k?”
“I’m working tonight, Nick.” Knowing that she would be in the air on her way to Paris by then.
“Oh… ok. I’ll talk to you tomorrow then.”
“Ok.”
“I love you.”
“Love you too. Bye Nick.”
“Bye honey.”
Cass hung up, and sighed, knowing that in no more then 10 hours, she would be with him.

“Brian is meeting us in the lobby.” Holly told Cass as they walked through the main entrance of the five star hotel that was situated in the heart of Paris.
“I don’t see him anywhere.” Cass said, looking around.
“I do, there he is.” Holly pointed towards the elevator across the lobby. She waved to get his attention. He spotted them, and walked over to the two girls.
“Hey you.” He said, giving them both a hug. “How are you doing?”
“Great now that we’re here.” Cass responded.
“Come on, I’ll show you to your guys. They’re both in their rooms.”
The girls looked at each other excitedly and followed Brian over to the elevators.
They rode the elevators in silence, and once they stepped out on the top floor, Cass was so nervous, she thought she was gonna pee her pants.
“Ok, we’re here. Aj’s down the hall, to the right, 1007, and Nick’s on the left, 1014. I’ll see you tomorrow at breakfast.”
The girls hugged Brian one last time, and walked down the hall together.
“Good luck Cass.” Holly said, hugging her friend.
“You too.” Cass smiled.

Holly stopped in front of the door to Aj’s room, while Cass continued down the hall to Nick’s room. When she reached the door, she stopped to take a deep breath and gather herself a little. Then she lifted her hand, and knocked three times on the wooden door.
She heard sounds coming from the inside, and felt her heart beating faster.
Then, slowly, the door opened and she found herself face to face with Nick. At first it didn’t seem like he quite understood who she was, but then, his face lit up, and his eyes got wider.
“Cass?” He pulled her into a hug. “Oh my god. What are you doing here honey?”
She smiled and put her arms around him. She looked over his shoulder and into the hotel room, and felt her heart skip a beat, when she saw a pretty blond girl sitting on his bed. She froze in his arms, but quickly pulled away. She looked at him, and shook her head.
“I wanted to surprise you, but I see you’re busy.” She said hurt and started walking away.
“Wha…?” Nick turned around to see what Cass was talking about. “Shit…No, Cass. Wait! It’s not what it looks like.”
Chapter 30 by miss_hypergirl
Author's Notes:
4 new chapters for you to enjoy. Let me know what you think :-)
“Cass. Wait, let me explain.” Nick said, running after her down the hall. He reached her and grabbed her arm to stop her. She stopped, but didn’t turn around. Nick walked around to face her.
“This is not what you think it is.”
Cass looked at him, tears rolling down her cheek. “Nick… I’ve heard that before. I guess I’ve just been very naïve to think that you actually loved me.”
“Cass, I do love you, and I thought you trusted me.”
“I did trust you Nick, up until now. How could you do this? Bring another girl to your hotel room when I’m supposed to be your girlfriend.”
Nick smiled a little. “Cass, baby… that girl is my sister.”
“You know what I d… What?” Cass interrupted herself.
Nick placed his hands on her shoulders. “She’s my sister, Cass.”
“Your sister?”
“Yes.”
Cass looked down, her face turning a deep shade of red.
“Oh god… I feel so stupid now.” She said, covering her face with her hands. “I’m so sorry Nick…”
Nick stepped closer to her and pulled her into a hug.
“It’s ok.” He closed his eyes and held her close, smelling her hair, and feeling her body against his. “I can’t believe you’re here, baby. I’ve missed you so much.”
Cass let out a sigh of relief, and pulled Nick closer. “I’ve missed you too.” She said, leaning her back against the wall, and kissing his soft lips. Nick slipped his tongue in her mouth and they kissed passionately.
“Eheeem.” Their kiss was interrupted by someone clearing their throat. Cass turned her head, and saw the blond girl form Nick’s hotel room standing in the hall. Nick smiled and grabbed Cass’ hand.
“Hey sis.” He led Cass over to his sister, who gave them a sincere smile. “I want you to meet my girlfriend Cassidy. Cass, this is my sister Bj.”
“Hi, it’s nice to meet you.” Cass held out her hand.
Bj smiled at her. “Oh come on, Carter’s don’t shake hands, we give hugs.” She gave a surprised Cass a big hug. “Nick has told me so much about you.”
Cass laughed nervously and looked at Nick. “Should I be worried now…?” She asked him.
Nick grinned, but shook his head. “I don’t have anything bad to say about you baby. You know that.” He put an arm around her shoulder.
“Well, I’ll let you guys spend some time alone. I’ll see you tomorrow for breakfast. It was nice meeting you Cass.”
“You too.”
“Night Beej.” Nick said, giving his sister a hug.

Cass and Nick walked into Nick’s hotel room, and closed the door behind them. Cass stopped in the middle of the room, looking at Nick, who stood by the door staring at her.
“What?” She asked.
“Nothing…” He said, smiling. “I just can’t believe you’re here. I didn’t think I’d get to see you until Christmas.”
Cass walked over to him and gave him a small kiss on the lips.
“You’ll have to thank Holly. She’s the one who arranged it.”
“Holly’s here too?”
Cass nodded. “Yea, she’s with Aj.”
“Wonder what they are doing…?” Nick grinned and led Cass over to the king size bed.
“Probably the same as we’ll be doing.” She said, and lay down.
“And what is that?” Nick said, laying down next to her and pulled her close to him.
Cass smiled. “This…” She kissed his lips seductive and let her hand slowly travel down his chest.
Nick stopped for a moment to look at her.
“I love you Cass.”
“I love you too Nick.”

The next morning, Cass woke up feeling a pair of soft lips against hers. She smiled, but didn’t open her eyes. She just moved closer to Nick and rested her head on his bare chest.
“You awake?” He whispered.
“Mmmm.” She felt so relaxed and so very tired.
“Breakfast’s in thirty minutes. You wanna take a shower?” Nick said while stroking her hair.
“I don’t wanna get up.” She mumbled, half asleep.
“You can sleep if you want to, it’s the jet lag that makes you so tired. I have an interview and a TV show today, so I have to get up.”
Cass sighed. “No… I want you here with me. Can’t you call in sick or something?” Cass pouted, her eyes still closed.
“Honey,” Nick chuckled. “You know I can’t. I have tonight off though. We can do something then, just the two of us. And you can spend the day with Holly and Bj. If you can manage to open your eyes.”
Cass slowly opened her eyes, and let them adjust to the bright light.
“Hey you.” Nick said, looking down at her, giving her a small kiss on her forehead.
“What time is it?” She asked.
“8.30.”
“You wanna take a shower?”
“If you come with me…” Nick smiled and dragged his naked body out of bed pulling Cass with him. She groaned as the cold air hit her body.
“A nice, warm shower sounds really good right now.” She said and followed Nick into the bathroom.

It was later that day. The guys had just finished their interview and TV show, and they were all hanging out in Nick’s room waiting for the girls to come back from their day of shopping.
Nick, Brian and Howie were sitting on Nick’s bed, and Aj and Kevin were sitting on the floor. Nick had just gotten off the phone with Cass, telling the girls to come up to his room.
“They’re on their way.” He said to the rest of the guys.
“So Nick,” Aj asked. “What did you and Cass do yesterday?”
Nick shrugged. “Probably the same thing as you and Holly.”
“And what would that be?”
“Yea, Nick. What would that be?” Howie asked.
“Well, you know….”
“Know what?”
“Aj… come on. You know what I mean.”
“You had sex!” Aj said, pretending to be surprised.
“So did you.” Nick tried not to look embarrassed.
“I never said that.”
“Neither did I!”
“You just did.” Aj argued.
“We didn’t have sex… we made looove.”
“Aww… Nicky’s gotten all soft.” Kevin teased, giving Nick a small pat on the leg.
“Well… at least he’s gettin’ some…” Howie said.
“Holy shit…” Aj shouted all of a sudden. “That’s a huge spider.” He said, pointing towards the corner of the room. All the guys looked in the direction, just in time to see the spider crawl under the bed.
“Did you see that?” Aj asked.
Howie lifted his legs nervously up from the floor, and Kevin and Aj moved over to the bed to get a closer look. “It was like this big.” Aj showed, making a circle with his fingers. They all formed a circle around the bed, Nick in the middle, trying to see if they could catch it.
“Can you reach it, Nick?” Kevin asked, bending down to look under the bed.
“Do you see it?” Howie said.

The girls stepped out of the elevator and walked up to Nick’s room. Cass pulled out her key, and carefully opened the door. The three of them entered, but stopped dead in their tracks when they saw the scenario that took place in the room. They exchanged looks and tried not to laugh.
They saw Howie sitting on the bed, with the guys forming a circle around him on the floor. Nick was in the middle, his head barely visible between Howie’s legs. Brian, Kevin and Aj, were all watching closely. None of them noticed that the girls walked in.
“I can’t see it Kev, you have to move your hand.” They could hear Nick say.
“Nick, you have to reach out you hand and grab it.” Aj said.
“I can’t do that… that’s gross.”
“Nick, come on… just grab it. It’s not that big.” Howie said, placing a hand on Nick’s head pushing him further down.
“Ok, ok… holy shit. Bri, look! Aj’s right… it’s really big.” Nick said, sounding surprised.
“Nick, just take it, ok…” Howie said, sounding nervous. “Just get it over with.”
“Geez, D. Sounds like you’ve never seen one before. Nervous?” Kevin teased.
“No… I just don’t want that sticky thing on me.”
“Ok…” Nick said. “I’m almost there. Give me a hand Brian.”
At this point, the girls couldn’t hold themselves any longer. All three of them collapsed on the floor in a fit of laughter. The guys quickly stood up, Nick with the spider in his hand. He quickly threw it out of the window, and looked at the girls, trying to figure out what was so funny.
“What’re you laughing about?” He asked.
Cass tried to speak, but found that she couldn’t. She was holding her stomach, trying to catch her breath.
“”Just… *laughing*… your head… between Howie’s… *breathe*…. legs…” She had to stop and try to gather herself.
Bj continued to speak. “It just looked…. and sounded like you were doing…. something else…”
The guys exchanged looks, not quite understanding what the girls were talking about.
Aj shook his head. “Girls…” He said, sitting down on the bed.
Chapter 31 by miss_hypergirl
“Hey Bone, can I talk to you for a second?” Nick said, walking up to Aj.

It was noon on thanksgiving, and the guys had just finished a radio interview. They were now on their way out to the van that would take them back to the hotel.

“Sure man.”
“Listen… I was thinking.” He paused.
“Well, that’s a first….” Aj said, rolling his eyes.
“Funny.” Nick smirked. “But seriously. Brian, Kevin and Howie all have plans for tonight, and since it’s thanksgiving, I was thinking that maybe you and I could surprise Cass and Holly. You know… show them Paris by night, or something like that. What do you say?”
“One night in Paris… huh? Guess you’ve been there.” Aj joked, referring to Nick’s relationship with Paris Hilton.
“Yea, and let’s just say…it ain’t all that. Anyways… are you with me? I really wanna surprise her. I have this great idea.”
“I’m in. Tell me about it.”
The guys walked over to the van, while Nick told Aj about his ideas for the night.

Cass was sitting on the bed in Nick’s hotel room, reading a book, when she heard the door open. She looked up and saw Nick walk into the room.
“Hey baby.” She smiled, putting the book down.
“Hey.” Nick sat down next to her and gave her a kiss on the lips.
“How was the interview?”
“It was good. I’m kinda getting tired of having to answer the same questions again and again though.”
“So… are you busy tonight? Maybe we could do something. I mean, it is thanksgiving, after all.”
“I have plans… Me and Aj are visiting a children’s hospital to surprise some fans.”
“Oh… ok.” Cass couldn’t help but sound a little disappointed.
“I’m sorry… I have a few hours off now though.” He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her closer. “And I wouldn’t mind spending them like this.” He lay down, letting Cass rest her head on his chest.
Cass sighed. She wanted so bad to spend the evening with him, but she knew that he had a job to do, and she just had to accept that.
They lay there, chatting for a while, until they both fell asleep.

It was a couple of hours later that Nick woke up, realizing that they both had fallen asleep. He sat up, careful not to wake Cass, praying that he hadn’t overslept. He looked at his watch and gave out a sigh of relief. It showed ten to 5 PM. Perfect timing. He was meeting Aj downstairs in ten minutes.
“Cass… baby. Wake up.” He shook her gently and bent down to give her a small kiss.
Cass opened her eyes, and smiled. “Hey.” She sat up. “What time is it?”
“Time for me to leave…” Nick replied.
“Oh…”
“I’m meeting Aj down at the lobby in ten minutes. Wanna walk me down?”
Cass nodded. “Sure.”
“Good. I just need five minutes to get ready.” Nick walked over to the bathroom and closed the door behind him.
Five minutes later, he came out, wearing a pair of jeans and a blue shirt with the word “Rock star” written across the chest. Cass walked up to him, giving him a hug.
”You look nice.” She smiled.
“Gotta dress up for those kids, you know. And the cute nurses.”
Cass smacked his chest. “Watch it Carter!”
Nick just laughed. “Come, on. Let’s go.” He took her hand and they made their way down to the lobby where Aj and Holly were waiting for them.
“Hi.” Aj greeted. “Our car is here, Nick. We have to leave right now.”
Nick nodded, and turned to Cass. “I need you to do one thing.”
Cass looked at him confused as Nick continued. “You and Holly need to go up to my room and just wait there. No questions, k? Just trust me.”
“But…”
“No questions Cass.”
Cass looked at Holly, who had the same confused look on her face. They both nodded.
They said goodbye to the guys, and walked up to Nick’s room.

“Wonder what that was all about.” Holly asked as they entered the room. She sat down on the couch and turned on the TV.
“I guess we’ll just have to wait and see…”
“Maybe they booked an hour of massage for us.” Holly smiled. “That would have been so great right now.”
“I know.” Cass walked over to the window and looked over at the Eiffel Tower, wondering when she would be able to go there.
Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Cass looked over at Holly who smiled excitedly.
“Open it.” She said to Cass.
Cass walked over to the door, and opened it.
“Delivery for Cassidy Jacobs and Holly Green.”
Cass looked at the man standing in front of her. She recognized him as one of the receptionists. He handed her two gift wrapped boxes, and walked away without further explanation. Cass stood by the door with the two boxes in her hands, and watched him disappear around the corner. She then closed the door, and walked back into the room where Holly was waiting for her.
“Who was it?” She asked as Cass put the two boxes down on the bed.
“One of the receptionists… He gave me this.” She pointed down at the boxes, and noticed a letter attached to one of them. “There’s a letter here.” She said.
“Well… open it.” Holly walked over to her get a closer look.
Cass opened it and read it out loud.

Girls

You didn’t think we’d leave you alone on thanksgiving, did you?
A car will be picking you up at 7PM.
Hope you like the gifts. Wear them!

Nick and Aj


Holly and Cass exchanged looks, and quickly picked up the boxes with each of their name written on it and opened them.
They both gasped when they found what was inside. Nick and Aj had each bough them a dress with matching shoes. Cass held up her dress. It was a satin gown in the colour of deep red with a beautiful pleated neckline, complimented by glittering rhinestone halter tie straps. Holly’s dress was a baby blue halter style gown with a deep V neckline accented by a necklace that was sewn into the dress, and an open back. Both gowns had matching shoes with small details on them. The girls were in awe, and for a moment they both just stood there, holding up their gowns, and looking at them.
They were both interrupted by another knock on the door. Cass laid the gown down on the bed and walked over to open the door.
Two women around the age of 35 walked into the room, smiling.
“Hi,” one of them said. “Jamie Holmes and Sarah Jenkins, hair and makeup.”
Cass looked at Holly and laughed. “Wow… our boys really outdid themselves on this one.”
Holly nodded and smiled. “Yup. No wonder we love them so much.”
“Well.” Sarah said, walking up to Holly. “We have to get you ready by 7, so we better get started.”

The girls spent the next hour and a half getting ready for the night with the boys. Once they were done, they only had a few minutes before they were supposed to leave. They both grabbed their coats and headed down to the lobby where they were met by a limo driver who took them outside to a white limousine. Cass and Holly didn’t know what to say, all they could do was smile, as the limo drove away.

Half an hour later the limo stopped. Cass looked out the window, and gasped. They had arrived at the Eiffel Tower.
“It’s the Eiffel Tower,” Holly said, sounding just as surprised as Cass felt. The car door was opened by the driver, and the girls stepped out.
“Follow me.” The driver said. Holly and Cass giggled and linked arms, as they followed the driver over to one of the entrances to the tower. They walked into an elevator and waited for the driver to enter.
“I will wait for you by the car. There’s someone waiting for you up there.” He smiled and pointed to the top. He pushed a button, the doors closed, and the girls could feel the elevator move upwards. The ride up was made in silence. They were both enjoying the view over the city through the glass walls. As the elevator came to a halt, they looked at each other and smiled. They stepped out, and were met by a guy, holding out a hand to take their coats. They willingly gave them to him, and without a word, he led them over to the doors that led outside. He opened them and the girls walked through them.

Nick and Aj were standing with their back to them, leaning on the rail, caught up in a conversation. The second they heard the doors close, they turned to face the girls. The guys were both dressed in back with ties matching their girl’s dress. Nick smiled and walked up to Cass.
“You look… wow.” He said, giving her a warm hug and a kiss on the cheek.
Cass blushed. “You look kinda… wow too.” He kissed her lips softly, and put an arm around her.

The four of them spent half an hour at the top of the tower, before the guys told them that it was time to leave.
“Where are we going?” Holly asked, as they sat in the limo on their way to their next destination.
“You’ll have to wait and see.” Aj said, kissing her cheek, and resting a hand on her thigh.
“Aww… come on,” Cass nudged Nick. “Tell us.”
Nick and Aj just laughed and shook their heads while the girls sighed.

Half an hour later, they arrived at their next destination. They all waked out, and the girls found themselves in front of a restaurant that overlooked the river Seine. It was small, but fancy. They walked into a room that was separated from the main restaurant that seemed to be full. There was a table for four in the middle of the room. The lights were dimmed, and there were candles everywhere.
“Oh, guys, this is beautiful.” Cass said throwing her arms around Nick, giving him a kiss on the lips.
“When did you have time to arrange all this?” Holly asked.
“Umm… That children’s hospital was kinda a lie. We had to have an excuse to get away for a few hours.” Aj said.
“Aww… that is so sweet.”
Nick led Cass over to the table. “Girls, why don’t you sit down? We’ll be right back.”
Without another word, Aj and Nick left the room.
“They are so amazing.” Holly sighed. “I can’t believe they did all this.”
“I know… I wonder what they’re up to now.”
The girls continued to chat for a few minutes, when the guys came back in to the room. Nick was carrying his guitar, and they both walked over to two chairs that were placed next to the table. The girls just stared at them and waited for either of them to say something.
Once they were seated, Nick spoke. “We wanted to sing you a song that reflects how we feel. You’ve heard this one before, but we’re doing an acoustic version of it.”
Nick picked up his guitar, and started playing Safest Place to Hide.
They sang the song with so much passion, that it brought tears to both Cass and Holly’s eyes. Every time it was Nick’s turn to sing, he looked straight into Cass’ eyes, showing her how he felt, and with every word that escaped his lips, she felt how much she meant to him.

Half an hour into their dinner, they were interrupted by screams, coming from the kitchen area. At first they just thought it was someone getting yelled at, so they just ignored it. Then, seconds later, a waitress came running into the room.
“FIRE.” She yelled with a French accent as thick smoke surrounded her.
The four of them looked at each other confused.
“Shit!!!!” Aj yelled, standing up. He pulled Holly with him towards the exit. Nick did the same with Cass. As they ran out of the room, thick smoke surrounded them, and Cass had to cover her mouth to prevent herself from fainting. She could feel Nick’s grip around her arm tighten as they ran towards the exit. Finally, fresh air filled her lounges, and she removed her hand. People around them were screaming, coughing and crying.
“Cass, are you ok?” Nick asked concerned, putting his arms around her. All she could do was nod as she felt tears forming in the corner of her eyes.
“Nick,” Aj walked up to them. “I think we should help. There are still people in there. Children.”
Nick nodded, and let go of Cass.
“NO!” Cass cried out. “You can’t. You’ll hurt yourself.”
He placed a firm grip on her shoulders. “I’ll be fine Cass. We can’t just stand here and watch. I’ll be right back. Don’t go anywhere.”
“Nick… Please.” Cass pleaded, tears rolling down her cheek.
“I’ll be right back. I love you.” He whispered, giving her a kiss and then ran into the building.
Cass walked over to Holly. The girls hugged, as they watched Nick and Aj disappear. The building didn’t show any signs of flames yet, but the smoke coming out through the doors, was getting thicker and thicker with every second. To Cass, time stood still, and all she could hear was the sound of sirens getting closer.
Suddenly, she saw Aj running out of the building, carrying a teenage boy. He ran over to the ambulance that had just arrived together with the fire trucks, and put the boy down. As he was about to run into the restaurant again, flames took control over the building, and he was held back by a fire fighter. He ran over to Holly and Cass.
“Where’s Nick?” Cass yelled, freaking out.
“He’s still in there. They wouldn’t let me go back in. There are still a few people left in there.”
Cass ran towards the burning building, ready to enter, but Aj grabbed her arms.
“It’s too dangerous Cass.”
“No!” She cried. “Nick’s in there.” She put her arms around Aj, and cried.
“There’s nothing you can do Cass.”
Suddenly, there was a big explosion, and the whole building was covered in flames.
“NOOOOO!!!!”
Chapter 32 by miss_hypergirl
Cass fell to the ground, sobbing uncontrollably, clinging to Aj and repeating Nick’s name over and over again. Around them, there were others crying out names of their beloved that were still inside the building.

“Nick…no…” She sobbed, burying her face in Aj’s chest. She closed her eyes, not wanting to see what was happening before her eyes.
“It’ll be alright Cass.” Aj could hardly speak himself. Panic was starting to overcome him, as he started looking around for any sign of Nick. The thought of losing one of his best friends scared him to death, and not only that, but knowing that he was the one that made Nick go back in the building, would haunt him for the rest of his life. He wanted so bad to go in there and look for him, but he knew couldn’t.

More paramedics had arrived, and the fire had drawn a rather large crowd. No one had seemed to recognize Aj, but he knew it wouldn’t be too long before rumours about the two Backstreet Boys would start spreading.
“He can’t be gone…” Cass didn’t know what to do anymore. She wanted to scream, but she didn’t have any strength left in her lounges because of all the smoke that was coming out of the building and surrounding them. The heat from the flames that hit her was overwhelming, but she didn’t care.
Suddenly, Holly bent down and put an arm around Cass.
“Cass! Look.” She pointed towards what was left of the main entrance. Cass lifted her head, and a small sound escaped her lips. Nick was struggling to get past the flames, carrying a little girl in his arms. Cass could hardly see him through the smoke, but he looked tired, and in pain as he handed the little girl over to the paramedics.
“Nick!” She released herself from Aj’s grip, and stood up.
Nick looked up at the sound of his name, and met Cass’ gaze. The look he gave her scared Cass beyond everything she had felt before. His eyes were filled with so much pain and horror, and before Cass even had the chance to react, he fell to the ground. Every thing seemed to be going in slow motion as she ran over to him, and kneeled down beside him.
“Nick.” She yelled, shaking his lifeless body. “Open your eyes.”
Paramedics rushed over to them, carrying an oxygen mask that they quickly put on. Cass looked down at her boyfriend as tears once again escaped her swollen eyes.

He looked so fragile lying there, his eyes closed, ash on his face, and a deep cut below his left eye. Cass grabbed his hand and squeezed it.
“Baby….” She cried. “Come on, don’t do this to me. I need you. Wake up Nick.”
She suddenly felt a pair of strong arms on her shoulder, pushing her away from Nick.
“No!” She struggled to remain by his side.
“Miss, we ‘ave to take ‘im to ze ‘ospital.” A paramedic said to her, his English very poor.
Cass nodded, but didn’t move or take her eyes off Nick. “Please, let me come with you.” She begged. Just then, Aj sat down next to her. Cass looked at him.
“I don’t know what happened Aj…” She looked down at Nick again. “Why isn’t he moving? Why can’t he just open his eyes?”
Aj shook his head, “I don’t know sweetie. Come on,” He grabbed her arm, “Let the paramedics do their job. We’ll meet them at the hospital.”
“Aj… I can’t leave him.”
“There’s nothing you can do for him right now, Cass. We’ll drive to the hospital right away and meet them there.” He said as the paramedics started to move Nick over to one of the ambulances. Cass stood up and Aj had to keep her from running after them.
“No… Nick.” She watched as they closed the doors, turned on the sirens and drove away.

Cass cried all the way to the hospital. Her face was buried in her hands as she leaned forward to shut the world away. Aj felt as if he was in a state of shock. He wanted to cry so badly, but he felt like he had to be strong for Cass’ sake. Holly hadn’t said a word since they drove away in the taxi that had been set up for them. Silent tears fell down her cheeks as she rested her head on Aj’s shoulder and stroke his arm gently. She could feel him shaking, and she knew he was crying on the inside, trying to hide what he felt.
“It’s ok to cry baby.” She whispered to him, not even sure if he heard her.
When they reached the hospital, they ran over to the front desk to get the information that they needed. The nurse could hardly make herself understood, and Cass yelled at her for not giving them the information that they so desperately needed. After a few minutes they were taken to a secluded area on the second floor, and were told to wait there for further information.

“I’m gonna go and call the guys….” Aj said.
They hadn’t been waiting for more than five minutes, but to them, it felt like five hours. Cass and Holly nodded, but didn’t say anything. They were sitting next to each other on a small sofa by a large window, holding hands, and crying.
Aj left, and came back ten minutes later. It was obvious that he had been crying, but neither of the girls commented on it. He walked over and bent down in front of Cass.
“Are you ok?”
She slowly looked up at him. “Of course I’m not ok…” She snapped, and then leaned forward to hide her face in her hands while tears were still falling from her eyes.
“I’m sorry Aj….” She sobbed. “I just don’t know what to do. What if he doesn’t make it?”
“He’ll make it Cass.” Aj sat down beside her on the sofa, and put an arm around her shoulders.
“But what if he doesn’t?”
“Then I don’t know what will happen….”

Thirty minutes went by, and Cass was still crying, leaning her head on Aj’s shoulder, when the rest of the guys arrived. Brian walked straight over to Cass, pulling her up from the sofa, and putting his arms around her. He was crying by then, and so were the other guys. Neither of them knew what to say, but they all knew how the others felt, and knowing that, made it even harder.

Aj was sitting in the corner of the room, by himself, thinking about what had happened while Nick and he were inside the burning building.

*Flashback*

“Shit, I can’t see a thing…” Nick said, as they entered the building. The smoke was burning in their eyes, and it was hard to breath because of the thick smoke.
They searched their way into the main room, where they could hear several people crying for help.
“You ok?” Aj asked.
“Man it’s hot in here...” Nick coughed.
Aj looked around, trying to find anyone who needed help. He spotted a boy hiding under a table, and ran in his direction.
“Nick, I’ve got one. Nick?” He said, not getting any response. “Nick?” He yelled, and then felt a hand on his shoulder.
“Right here Aj.”
“I’m gonna help him.” Aj pointed at the young boy. “I’ll wait for you right over there.” He nodded towards a clear spot in the middle of the room just as flames started to make their way towards them.
“Shit. No, AJ, just take him outside. I’ll be right there.”
“Nick, I’m not leaving you.” Aj yelled.
“I’ll be fine, just go.”
“Nick, no.”
“GO!” Nick grabbed the boys arm and handed him over to Aj before he walked further into the room. Aj took the boy and ran as fast as he could out of the building, feeling the heat getting more and more intense by each step.

*End flashback*


Aj’s thoughts were interrupted by a doctor entering the room. They all stood up from their seats and walked over to him. Howie was supporting Cass, who could hardly stand on her own.
“You here for Nick Carter?” The doctor asked.
Brian nodded and took a step forward. “How is he?”
Chapter 33 by miss_hypergirl
Chapter 33

“He’s going to be ok.” The doctor said, looking at Cass. She looked back at him like she didn’t believe what he had just said.
“He’s ok?” She asked.
The doctor nodded. Cass started crying again, but this time out of relief. Brian walked up to her and wrapped his arms around her as she cried into his chest.
“He’s going to be ok!” She whispered.
She wanted to jump up and down, yelling, and forget about everything that had happened that night. As she began to calm down, and after hugging everybody in the room, including the doctor, they all sat down to hear what the doctor had to say about Nick’s condition. He spoke English very well, and Cass immediately trusted him when he started to speak.
“Mr. Carter has been very lucky. We had to drain his lounges because they were filled with a lot of ash. He has to wear an oxygen mask every night for a week to help him breathe more easily. His left upper arm has second degree burn that will heal within a couple of months. Other than that, he needs to rest for about a week, that being, no performing. It’s a small price to pay, considering how it could have ended.” He finished, looking around at the six people watching him. Cass couldn’t stop crying. For a few hours, she thought she had lost him, and now, all she could think about was how bad she wanted to hold him in her arms.
“Now…” The doctor continued. “Which one of you is Cassidy?”
Cass looked up. “I am….” She sniffed.
“Mr. Carter asked for you. Come with me, and I’ll take you to him.”
She smiled slightly and stood up. “I’ll be right back.” She said to the others.

She followed the doctor down the hall, not saying a word. She wanted to run to Nick, close the door behind her, and stay locked in the room with him forever. The doctor finally stopped outside a door, and turned to Cass.
“Mr. Carter is still in a lot of pain. He’s breathing without the oxygen mask, but if he’s in the need of it, it is placed right next to his bed. Try not to make him speak too much. His lounges need to rest.”
Cass nodded, eager to get inside.
“I’ll leave you two alone, but I’ll be right down the hall if you have any questions.”
He walked away, leaving Cass alone outside the door. She took a deep breath and slowly opened it.

Nick was laying in bed, looking up at the ceiling when Cass walked in, but as soon as he heard her enter, he turned to look at her, a weak smile on his lips. Cass tried to act like she was ok, but the second she saw him, tears formed in her eyes, and she knew that there was no use in hiding them. She quickly walked over to the bed and sat down next to him. Without a word, she buried her face in his chest. Nick put an arm around her, and gently stroke her hair.
“Don’t cry baby, I’m ok.” He whispered, his voice sounding hoarse and very weak.
Hearing his voice made Cass cry even more. She was finally realizing that he was going to be ok, and she had never felt this relieved in her entire life. She just couldn’t imagine her life without him in it.
“I thought I had lost you…” She cried, finally looking up at him.
He smiled a little, and rested a hand on her cheek. “I could never leave you Cass, I love you.”
“I love you too Nick.” She bent down and carefully kissed his lips, afraid that she might hurt him. Nick only deepened the kiss, and soon, Cass had forgotten all about the past few hours.
Several minutes later, they were still making out, when suddenly Nick started to feel dizzy. His breathing was getting heavier, and he pulled away. Cass looked at him, confused at first, but then she realized that he was having a hard time breathing.
“Nick… are you ok? You need oxygen?”
All he could do was nod. Cass reached over and quickly grabbed the oxygen mask that was placed next to his bed. She helped him put it on, and watched as he closed his eyes and let the oxygen fill his lounges. Cass held his hand, stroking his hair as the minutes passed. Finally, Nick slowly opened his eyes, and removed the mask from his face.
“I’m so sorry Nick. I shouldn’t have kissed you like that… I wasn’t thinking.”
Nick shook his head, smiling a little. “No, it’s not your fault baby. I just can’t control myself when I’m with you. You’re too damn cute.” He joked, trying to lighten the mood a bit.
“Are you in a lot of pain?” Cass asked, wanting to know how he felt.
“Not that much.” He lied. He didn’t want her to feel sorry for him. Cass looked down at him suspiciously and tried to read his eyes.
Nick forced a smile, and looked away. “You don’t believe me, do you…?”
Cass shook her head. “Not a chance.”
He sighed and looked back up at her. “I’m sorry Cass. I know I can’t lie to you. It hurts like hell… They gave me some kind of drugs to ease the pain, but to be honest, it doesn’t work that well. My arm’s killing me, and it’s really painful to breathe.”
Cass hugged Nick again. “I wish there was something I could do…”
“Just having you here, helps a lot.”
“I think the guys really want to see you.”
Nick nodded. “You should go and get them. They’re all here?”
“Yea. They came as soon as they heard. They were so worried, Nick. I’ve never seen them like that. They care about you so much.”
He smiled a little. It felt so good to know that he had his friends there to support him.
“Just bring them in here, k?”
Cass nodded and bent down to give him a small kiss. “I’ll be right back.”

Cass walked out of the room and over to where the guys were waiting. They all looked up in anticipation as she entered the room.
“He wants to see you.” She said, smiling at them.
“How is he?” Brian asked impatiently, walking over to Cass.
“He’s in a lot of pain, obviously, but other than that, he’s fine. His breathing’s very uneven, and if you kiss him long enough, he’ll need an oxygen mask…”
Brian looked at her confused. “Umm…?”
Cass shook her head, and smiled. “Don’t ask.”

They all followed her over to Nick’s room, and walked in.
“Hey.” Nick smiled as they entered and surrounded his bed. One by one, they hugged him, telling him how glad they were that he was ok.
“We thought we’d lost you there for a moment Nicky…” Howie said.
Nick smiled. “You don’t get rid of me that easily, you know.”
The guys continued talking for almost half an hour, when Cass had to remind them about what the doctor had told them about Nick having to rest. The guys decided that they should all get back to the hotel to get some rest. It was almost two in the morning by then, and they were all exhausted. Cass was also getting ready to leave, when Nick stopped her.
“Baby, please stay with me tonight.”
Cass turned around to look at him. “Nick… I don’t know if I’m allowed.”
“I don’t care.”
“I should at least ask the doctor.”
“No just…. Just stay here with me. I don’t want you to leave.” He looked so scared and alone lying there, that Cass just couldn’t say no. She just nodded and sat down next to his bed.
“No, come here.” Nick made room for her on the bed next to him and pulled her up from the chair.
“Nick, I don’t know if I should…” Cass hesitated. “I don’t wanna hurt you.”
“You won’t. I just wanna hold you.”
Cass smiled, and climbed on to the bed. She lay down, and rested her head on Nick’s chest.
“Are you sure I’m not hurting you?”
Nick laughed a little. “Yes Cass. I’m sure.” He wrapped an arm around her and pulled her even closer.
They both fell silent for a while. Cass thought about the past couple of hours, and how happy she was that Nick was still with her. She smiled to herself, hearing his heartbeat as a confirmation that he was right there, next to her. His hand was gently stroking her cheek, feeling warm against her skin. She didn’t know how long they’d been lying like that, when Nick spoke.
“Cass…?” He whispered.
“Umm.”
“Will you marry me?”
Chapter 34 by miss_hypergirl

Cass held her breath. Did he just ask her what she thought he had asked her? She lifted her head from his chest and looked into his eyes.

“What?” She whispered.

Nick looked back at her and squeezed her hand.

“I know this is sudden, and I know we haven’t been together for more than a few months, but what happened tonight, made me realize something. I realized that life’s too short to wait for something you already know is going to happen sooner or later. I could’ve died tonight, Cass… I could have died without letting you know how I feel. I love you…. More than anything I ever thought was possible, and I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So why wait? I want to be able to look back at this moment and know that I did what my heart told me to do. And my heart tells me that I want to be with you forever.” He paused for a moment and bent down to kiss her forehead, before he continued. “I know this isn’t the most romantic setting to do this, I mean, I don’t even have a ring… You don’t have to answer me right now. I want to be able to do this properly as soon as I get out of here. But I’m dead serious Cass. I love you, and I want to marry you.”

Cass didn’t know what to say. A thousand thoughts were razing through her mind at that moment. “Nick, I….” She paused.

Nick shook his head and covered her lips with his fingers. “No, Cass. It’s ok. You don’t have to answer me right now. Just think about it, ok?” He leaned down and replaced his fingers with his lips, and kissed her softly. Cass felt almost numb, but in a happy way.

“Yes.” She whispered, as his lips left hers.

Nick smiled at her. “Ok, we should probably get some sleep now.” He said, leaning back.

Cass shook her head. “No, Nick….I mean, yes! I’ll marry you.” She smiled, and looked at his reaction.

Nick’s eyes lit up, and a big smile appeared on his face. “You what? You…?”

Cass nodded, and reached out to stroke his cheek. “I love you too Nick. There’s nothing else in the world I want more than to be your wife. I could never say no to that.” She said softly.

“Oh, Cass… I love you so much. I don’t know what I would’ve done if you had said no.”

“Well, you don’t have to worry about that now, do you?”

They shared a long and passionate kiss, both desperately wishing that they were somewhere else.

 

“You know, I never thought a night like this, could turn out this good.” Cass whispered once they had turned off the lights and were lying next to each other, ready to get some sleep.

Nick smiled to himself. “I know…” he sighed, pulling her closer. He had completely forgotten about the pain in his chest, and arm, and all he could think was that he was holding the girl that soon would become his wife.

‘”I can’t believe I’m engaged.” Cass said, laughing a little.

“Well, you better get used to the thought.”

“Nick?”

“Umm…”

“What do we tell the others? I mean… like, when? How?” Cass asked.

Nick thought for a moment before he answered.

“You know, I did mean what I said earlier. I want to do this properly, the traditional way, with a ring and everything. I think we should keep it to our self until then.”

“And when are you planning to do this?”

“Now, that I can’t tell you.” Nick teased.

“I figured you’d say that…” Cass sighed.

Nick laughed a little, and kissed the top of her head. “Well, you already know I’m going to propose, the rest of it has to be a surprise. But it will have to be in the nearest future. I don’t think any of us can hide it for too long. Everybody’s gonna wonder why we are acting this happy, when I almost died a few hours ago. But as I said, I’m not telling you when.”

Cass knew there was no point in arguing. He had made up his mind, she knew him that well. Instead, she leaned over in the dark and planted a kiss on his cheek.

“I love you Nicky.”

Nick chuckled. “Nicky huh? You’ve never called me that before.”

“That’s because you hate it… but I like it. I think it’s cute.”

“I don’t wanna be cute….” Nick pouted.

“Well, that pouting isn’t exactly helping you there.” Cass laughed.

“Aww… you suck!”

“Good night, Nicky.”

“Hey, I’m not done arguing here…”

“I am.” Cass laughed and gave him another kiss before she leaned her head on his chest and closed her eyes.

Nick sighed. “I love you Cass.” He whispered, reaching over to put his oxygen mask on.

A few minutes later, they were asleep, both with a smile on their lips.

 

The next morning, Cass woke up, finding Nick fast asleep next to her. She smiled as memories from the night before washed over her. She never thought that waking up in a hospital would feel this good. Giving Nick a quick kiss on his forehead, she got out of bed, and walked out of the room to find something to eat. It was almost noon by then, and as she passed the room she had been waiting in the night before, she saw that the guys were already there. Cass walked in and greeted them all with a smile.

“Hey guys.”

“Hey girl.” Holly walked up to her, giving her a hug.

The rest of the guys all gave Cass a hug and said their ‘good morning’s’ and ‘hello’s’.

“How’s Nick?” Kevin asked.

“Better.” She smiled. “He was still asleep when I left his room. But he was feeling a lot better last night.”

“That’s good.” Brian smiled.

They all looked like they had gotten the rest that they needed, and they were all in a much better spirit than the night before.

“We just talked to the doctor,” Brian continued. “Nick will be released this afternoon if all the tests come out ok.”

Cass grinned. “That’s great. I don’t think he likes it here too much.”

“How can anyone like a place like this?” Aj commented.

“Tell me about it…” Cass said. “So…” She continued. “Have you guys eaten yet? I was on my way down to the cafeteria. Wanna join me?”

“I’ll come with you.” Holly smiled, grabbing Cass’ arm and dragging her towards the door. “We have to talk.”

Cass looked at her curiously, “About what?”

“You’ll see.”

 

“So… what happened?” Holly asked once they were seated. The cafeteria was almost empty, but Holly had made sure to get a table in the far corner of the large room.

“What do you mean?”

“Cass…” Holly placed a hand on Cass’ shoulder. “We’re at the hospital. Your boyfriend almost died last night, and you’re grinning like you’ve just won the lottery. Something must have happened.”

Cass looked down and blushed. “It’s nothing. I’m just happy he’s ok.”

“No, no.” Holly shook her head. “I know you Cass. You can’t lie to me. Come on, tell me! I’m dying to know.”

“I can’t Holly.”

“So something did happen?”

Cass tried to hide her smile, but failed.

“I knew it!” Holly said excited. “Come on girl! I can tell that you’re dying to tell me.”

“If I do… You have to swear not to tell anyone. Not even Alex.”

“I swear!”

“Pinkie – swear?”

Holly laughed. “What are you, five?”

“Hol, I’m serious. You have to promise.”

“I’ll swear on what the heck you want. Just tell me!”

Cass grinned. “Ok…” She paused.

“Cass!”

“Nick asked me to marry him.”

There was silence for about two seconds, before Holly suddenly realized what Cass had just told her. She then let out a squeal, and jumped up form the chair, pulling Cass up and into a hug.

“Holly,” Cass laughed. “Calm down. People are staring.”

“I don’t care.” Holly said, jumping up and down, her arms still around Cass’ waist. “I can’t believe he proposed. You’re getting married! Oh my god. There’s so much to do. We have to find you a perfect wedding gown, send out invitations---“

“Holly!”

“What?”

“It’s not even official yet.”

“What do you mean?”

“Come here. Sit down, and I’ll tell you all about it.”

     

Chapter 35 by miss_hypergirl

The next few days went by quickly. Nick had been released from the hospital, and was now resting at the hotel. He had been doing much better, but he still wasn’t allowed to perform. The two shows they were supposed to be doing in Paris had been postponed, with a promise from the guys that they would be back as soon as they had finished their touring in the US. No one quite knew what had happened to Nick, and that was why the guys now were on their way to a press conference where they would be explaining the situation. They had wanted to do this sooner, but because of Nick’s condition, they had decided to wait until he felt strong enough to join them.

 

They were now waiting backstage, ready to enter the small stage in one of the hotel’s conference rooms.

“Are you nervous?” Cass asked Nick, rubbing his back.

“A little. I don’t know what to say. I mean… you do know that I will have to mention you sometime during my explanation, right. And no one really knows about the engagement, heck, they don’t even know we’re dating… How do you feel about me telling them about us?”

Cass shrugged. “I guess they’ll find out sooner or later, right? Might as well be now.”

Nick nodded, and gave her a hug. “You’ll be waiting here, right?” He asked.

Cass felt so sorry for him. He was really nervous, about having to talk about what happened. She knew it was hard for him, and she wished more than ever that she could take his place.

“They’re ready for you now.” Johnny, the manager said. The guys all wished each other good luck, and walked over to enter the conference room.

“You’ll be fine, buddy!” Brian said, resting a hand on Nick’s shoulder.

As they entered, they were met with applause, and cheering. This made them all feel a bit more confident. Especially Nick.

Cameras were flashing, and people were shouting, trying to get Nick’s attention. The guys just sat down, and waited for Johnny to open the conference.

He cleared his throat to get attention, and started to speak.

“Welcome to this press conference here in Paris. We have asked you to come here today to inform about an incidence that happened two days ago. I know you have all been wondering why two of the concerts here in Paris has been cancelled, and we are here to explain the situation.” He paused for a few seconds before he continued. “Two days ago, Nick Carter and Aj McLean were caught in a fire when they were out having thanksgiving dinner. Nick got trapped inside the building, and had to spend the night in the hospital. He will have to rest for a week to get back to where he was before the accident, and that is why we had to cancel. The boys are now going to answer your questions.”

“Nick, what happened inside the building? Why did Aj get out, and you didn’t?” A reporter asked.

Nick raised his head to look at the people sitting in the room, waiting for his answer.

“Well… Umm, when the fire first started, all four of us ran outside and across the road, but then Aj and myself decided to go back inside to help the people that were still trapped in the building. I mean, there were lots of children in there that needed our help. Se we went back in, Aj found a boy, and helped him outside, and I went to search for someone who needed help. I found this little girl. She was so scared, and at first she didn’t want to come with me. And then, when she would finally let me carry her outside, we were almost trapped. I had to run through thick smoke, inhaling a lot of ash. Once I got outside, it was so hard to breath that I passed out.” He stopped to catch his breath. It was still hard for him to speak without feeing pain in his chest. He took a sip of the water, and signalled for the next question to be asked.

“How are you feeling now, Nick?”

Nick shrugged, “I’m ok… I have to sleep with an oxygen mask for a couple of more nights, and I have a second degree burn on my left arm. Sometimes it’s hard to breathe, but I’ve been very lucky, you know. I’m not complaining.”

“And Aj, what about you?” The reporter continued.

“I’m fine.” Aj nodded. “I was lucky to get out of the building in time. The worst part of it was to sit and wait for Nick.” He looked over at his friend and gave him a smile. “I’m just really glad he’s ok.”

Another reporter stood up, and asked a question. “How did you guys feel when you got the message that Nick had been taken to the hospital?”

Howie leaned forward, closer to the microphone to answer the question. “I think we all felt really helpless. We arrived the hospital, and no one knew anything. I mean, we were all crying, and praying that he would be ok.” 

“Nick, you said that there were four of you together when it happened. Who was with you? Are they ok?”

Nick knew this question would come eventually, and he felt himself blush a little as he answered. “Umm… Aj and I were there with our girlfriends who’s visiting us for a couple of days. And they’re fine, both of them.”

The reporter smiled. ”Girlfriends? Last time you were asked about that, you said you were single. When did this happen?” Nick looked at the reporter, unsure if he should answer the question. Then he realized that there was no point in hiding anything. It was better that the facts came from him, then from someone who just wanted to start another rumour.

“We met almost a year ago, when we were recording our album. Her name’s Cassidy, and we’ve been dating for about six months or so. I haven’t told many people, just because I’ve wanted to protect her for as long as possible.”

“And Aj, what about you?”

The press conference continued for another half an hour. The guys answered all the questions that were asked, and then went back to the hotel to get some rest.

 

“Are you ok?” Cass asked as she lay down next to Nick, resting her head on his chest.

Nick nodded. “Just tired….”

“I’m leaving tomorrow, you know.”

“I know.”

“I don’t want to.” Cass sighed and tightened the grip around his waist.

“I don’t want you to leave either….” He kissed her forehead gently.
”You’ll be home in less than tree weeks, right?”

He nodded.

“When are you leaving to see you family?” She asked.

“What do you mean?”

“You’re spending Christmas with you family, right?”

“Cass, I’m not leaving you. I’m staying in Florida.”

Cass looked up. “You are?” She looked surprised.

“Aaron and Angel are coming down to visit for a few days. I’m not leaving you alone on Christmas Cass. I want to spend it with you.”

Cass looked down, tears welling up in her eyes.

“Honey, what’s wrong?” Nick asked, sounding worried.

Cass sniffed. “Nothing…” She looked up and into his eyes. “What did I ever do to deserve you, Nick. I love you so much.”

He smiled and kissed her lips softly. “I love you to Cass.”

 

It was two days before Christmas. Cass was sitting in Nick’s living room waiting for him to get come home. The plane had landed two hours before, and she expected him back home any minute. She had missed him so much since she had left Paris, and the fact that he wasn’t fully recovered when she left, made it a lot harder for her to leave. The boys had two weeks off from the tour, and Cass would be spending everyday with Nick. Jive had decided to throw them a Christmas party the next day. All the guys were going to be there, as well as their family and friends.

Suddenly Cass heard the front door open, and she quickly stood up from the couch and ran over to Nick, who was standing in the hall.

“Nick!” She ran over to him and threw her arms around his neck before he even had the chance to drop his bags.

“Hey baby.” He laughed as she kissed him hard on the lips. “Missed me?”

“You have no idea.”

He dropped his bags and put his arms around her. “Oh, I think I know what you mean.” He picked her up, carried her into the living room and lay her down on the couch, placing himself on top og her. He kissed her passionately and let his hands run down her spine. Cass shivered, and moaned slightly.

“You like this, don’t you?” Nick whispered.

“You know I do.” She kissed him again, pulling him closer.

They spent the rest of the night on the couch, not leaving each others embrace.

 

“Cass, are you ready yet? We have to leave in five minutes.” Nick was standing at the bottom of the stairs, waiting for Cass. It was time for their Christmas Party, and they were both really excited, and anxious to meet their family and friends.

“Ill be there in a sec, Nick.” Cass shouted from the bathroom upstairs.

She took one last look in the mirror and walked downstairs. Nick looked up to see a long pair of legs walk down the stairs. He moved his gaze up to look at Cass, and smiled when he saw her. She was wearing a green halter style gown with a deep V neckline with a layered skirt and asymmetrical hem. Her hair was pulled up into a pony tail and soft curls were framing her tanned face.

“Baby, you look amazing.” He said, wrapping his arms around her waist.

“You don’t look so bad yourself Carter.”

“You ready?”

She nodded. They linked arms and walked out to the limo that was waiting for them outside.

 

The party had been going on for a few hours, and everyone was enjoying themselves. All the guys were there together with their wives and girlfriends, as well as Brian, Kevin and Howie’s parents and siblings, Aj’s mom, Nick’s dad and wife, and Aaron and Angel.

They were in the middle of the dinner, when Nick excused himself.

“Where’re you going baby?” Cass asked.

“Nowhere…. I’ll be right back.” He whispered and kissed her cheek before he walked away.

“Wonder what he’s doing…” Cass said to Holly who was sitting next to her.

“Well…duh!” Holly rolled her eyes.

“What?”

“He’s proposing of course.” Holly whispered.  

Cass looked stunned. “No, he’s not. Not here. There are so many people here.” She said, looking around.

“He said he wanted to do it properly, right?”

“Well….” Cass hesitated.

“Well… now’s the time.”

“You think?”

Holly nodded. “Just wait and see.”

Cass looked down at her plate, suddenly not feeling very hungry anymore. Could he be doing this now? Maybe Holly was right. Cass felt goosebumps crawling up her back and smiled to herself. She had been wondering when he was going to do it. She thought that maybe he would do something while she was still in France, but considering his condition, nothing had happened.

“Cass!” Holly whispered, pointing towards the small stage that had been set up. Cass looked over her shoulder, and felt her hear skip a beat as she watched Nick walk up the stairs and over to the microphone that had been set up.

 

“Can I have everybody’s attention, please?” He said, as people looked up from their plates.

Nick took a deep breath. “Cass, baby, would you join me up here?”

Cass looked down, feeling herself blush.

“Don’t be shy, honey. Come on.” He grabbed the mic, walked down from the stage, and over to Cass, reaching out his hand for her to take. She took his hand, and Nick led her over to the stage, as music started playing. Cass felt her heart beat faster and faster, and when Nick started to sing, she thought she was gonna faint.

 

I stare at your face
Into your eyes
Outside there's so much passing us by
All of the sounds
All of the sights
Over the earth and under the sky
Too much cold and too much rain
Too much heartache to explain

Who needs the world when I got you
Switch off the sun the stars and the moon
I have all I need inside of this room
Who needs the world when I got you

Oh no no
I walk on the street
Talk in the dark
I see peoples dreams just falling apart
I open my arms
Tried to be true
Seems like my only truth is you
Am I wrong
Or am I right
All I want is you tonight

Who needs the world when I got you
Switch off the sun the stars and the moon
I have all I need inside of this room
Who needs the world when I got you

Who needs the stars so bright and the grass so green and the morning light
Who needs the wind to blow and the tide to rise
Who needs it...I don't know
I don't know
Yeah

Who needs the world when I got you
Switch off the sun the stars and the moon
I have all I need inside of this room
Who needs the world when I got you
Who needs the world when I got you
Switch off the sun the stars and the moon
I have all I need inside of this room
Who needs the world when I got you
Who needs the world when I got you

 

As he finished, Cass was almost in tears. Nick was standing an inch from her, looking directly into her eyes. ‘I love you’ he mouthed. Cass smiled, and looked down, blushing, as Nick turned to the party and started to speak.

“Three weeks ago, something happened in Paris, as you all know. When I walked out of that burning building, Cass was the first person I saw, and seconds before I fainted, I thought that it was the last time I would ever see her.”

He turned to Cass again and lifter her chin with his thumb to look at her.

“Cass… what I said to you at the hospital that nigh, came straight from my heart. What scared me the most when I was inside that building was the thought of not seeing you again. I know we haven’t been together for that long, but I don’t care. I know that I want to be with you, and my heart tells me that this is the right thing to do. I love you, and that’s all that matters. And like I said, life’s too short to wait for something you already know is going to happen. I said I wanted to do this properly, and I couldn’t find a better moment to do this.” Nick took a step away from Cass and pulled out a small box before he went down on one knee and opened the box. Cass could heart people gasping, but she didn’t care. All she saw was Nick, the man she loved, sitting in front of her, holding the most beautiful ring she had ever seen.

“Cass, will you marry me?”

She knew this was coming, but yet she found herself speechless. Nick smiled at her and took her hand.

Cass nodded. “Yes.” She whispered, bending down to kiss him as he slipped the ring on to her finger.

Chapter 36 by miss_hypergirl

Six months later.

 

“I can’t believe this is our final show.” Nick said as the guys entered the NY Radio City Music Hall in New York. They had been touring for the past ten months, and were now very anxious to go home to their friends and family.

“I know.” Aj nodded. “It seems like we’ve been on the road forever.”

“Yea, but yet it’s like we just started.”

“It’s like this with every tour,” Kevin said as a cell phone started ringing. The guys all pulled out their phones.

“Mine.” Nick said, seeing Cass’ number on the display. “Hey baby.” He answered.

“Hi Nick.”

“How’s it going?”

Cass sighed. “Good. I just can’t wait until you get home.”

“I know, baby. Just a few more hours now, and I’ll be right there with you.”

He was catching a flight to Orlando that same night after the show, which meant that he would be home early the next morning.

“I’ll be up waiting for you.” Cass said.

Nick smiled. “You don’t have to do that. Just go to sleep, and I’ll be there sooner than you think.”

“I don’t think I can sleep Nick…”

“Just try, ok? For me.”
She laughed a little. “Ok… I’ll try.”
”Listen, I gotta go now. We’re doing soundcheck. The show’s in three hours.”

“Ok. See you soon.”

“I love you.”

“Love you too, Nick.”

They hung up, and Nick went to get ready for their show, happy that it was their last, and that he would finally be with Cass again.

 

It was just after 10 PM that same night, and Cass was sitting in Nick’s living room watching a movie. For the past few weeks, she had spent more time at his place than she had at her own apartment. Somehow, she felt safer there, having his stuff around her all the time.

She hadn’t gotten to see him as much as she wanted to for the past six months. She flew to London to surprise him on his birthday, and he had come home for a week to celebrate Easter with her in late March. It had been over three months since the last time she saw him, and knowing that he was only hours away, made her restless and very exited.

 

The rumour about her and Nick was… well, not a rumour anymore. Everybody knew that Cassidy Jacobs was Nick Carter’s fiancée, and surprisingly enough, his fans were fine with it. They had accepted Cass months ago, and though there would always be a few ‘haters’ out there, they left Cass alone.

 

Cass stood up from the couch and walked into the kitchen to get something to drink. She stopped in front of one of the large windows and looked outside. From there she had a view over the neighbourhood and the driveway. Nick had been talking about getting a security gate once he got home, because for now, it was very easy to get access to the property. At first, it had bothered Cass that people could just walk straight up to the front door, but she had gotten used to it eventually. She looked down the driveway and spotted a car parked at the end of it. The front lights were on, and she wasn’t able to see the person inside. Cass frowned and felt her heart skip a beat. The car looked familiar to her, but she didn’t know where she had seen it before. She shrugged, and tried not to think about it, as she went over to the counter and got herself a glass of water. On her way back to the living room, she cast a glance out the window again. The car was still there, but the lights were now off, and in the corned of her eye, she could see a person standing next to it. She stopped dead in her tracks, recognizing the figure instantly. The glass she was holding in her hand dropped to the floor, breaking into small pieces.

“Noel.” She whispered.

 

Her step dad was standing right outside the house, looking up at her. She couldn’t see his face, but she knew he was staring at her. Cass quickly turned away from the window, feeling her heart raze, as she ran over to the front door, made sure it was locked and set the alarm.

“Oh god…” She whispered to herself, leaning against the door.

Why was he there? It had been a year and a half since she had ran away.

“I have to call Nick.” She mumbled, running over to the living room to grab her cell. He would be on his way to the airport by then. Her hands were shaking as she dialled his number and brought the phone up to her ear. After three rings, Nick answered, sounding tired, but happy to hear her voice.

“Hey baby.”

Cass didn’t answer him at first. She didn’t know what to say without sounding upset. The last thing she wanted was to worry Nick.

“Cass…? You there?” He asked.

“Nick.” She whispered, feeling her voice shaking as she spoke.

“Baby, is everything ok?”

No answer.

“Cass? Answer me. What’s wrong?” He asked again, slightly panicking.

“Noel is here….” She finally whispered.

“What?” He paused.  “Shi t!”

“He’s standing in the driveway. I don’t know what to do Nick. Why is he here?” She said freaking out.  

“Ok, don’t panic.” He said, trying not to sound like he was worried. To Cass, it sounded more like he was talking to himself. “Just make sure all the doors are locked, call the police and stay away from the windows. Don’t let him know you’re there.”

“He already knows, Nick. He saw me…” Cass started crying, not knowing what else to do.

“Baby, don’t cry. I’ll be home in a few hours, ok?”

Cass nodded to herself. “Ok…”

“Promise me that you’ll call the police.”

“Ok…”

“We’re boarding the plane now Cass. I have to turn off my phone… Are you gonna be ok?”

“I don’t know.” She said honestly.

“Call Holly and get her to come over.”

“She’s in Chicago visiting her grandmother.” She was crying so much that she was shaking now. She tried not to think about Noel standing right outside the house, but she couldn’t.

“Just stay where you are Cass. I’ll be home in a few hours. I’ll call you as soon as the plane lands.” He felt so helpless knowing that she was all alone in his house, scared to death. All he wanted was to be with her and make sure that she was alright.

“Ok…”

“I love you Cass. Don’t worry, everything’s gonna be ok.”

“I love you too Nick…” She whispered as she heard him hang up.  

 

She quickly dialled 911 and frantically explained the situation. They told her that they were going to send someone over as soon as possible, reassuring her that everything was going to be ok. Cass hung up, and slid down on the floor next to the couch, just as she heard a loud knock on the door.  

Chapter 37 by miss_hypergirl

Cass felt her heart skip a beat as she crawled on to the other side of the couch where there was no way he could see her. Afraid to even breathe, she pulled her knees up to her chest and hid her face in her hands. There was another knock on the door, and a small sound escaped her lips.

“CASSIDY, I KNOW YOU’RE IN THERE!” Noel yelled from outside. His voice was strong and loud.

Cass froze as a familiar feeling rushed over her. She had almost forgotten what he sounded like, and the image of him was getting more and more blurry every time he visited her thoughts, which was rarely now days. Cass closed her eyes. A part of her wanted to confront him and show him how strong and independent she had gotten over the past year, yet, she was afraid that if she saw him again, she would lose control and go back to her old self that couldn’t fight back.

“COME ON CASSIDY, OPEN UP! YOU KNOW WHAT I’M CAPABLE OF DOING IF YOU DON’T DO AS I SAY. I JUST CAME HERE TO TALK. LET ME IN AND I WON’T HURT YOU!”

Cass shivered. She knew he was right, in a way. She knew what he was capable of doing, and the thought of it made her sick.

“No.” She whispered to herself. She was not going to let him win this time. All she had to do was sit there and wait for the police to arrive. And maybe, if she waited long enough, he would give up and leave and Nick would come home and put his arms around her and make everything alright. Cass lifted her head and looked out of the large window in the living room. She could see the ocean from there. It was very calm, and the dark night sky was covered with stars, but this was not what caught Cass’ attention. The large windows showed a reflection of the front door down the hall, behind her. She could see the door handle moving up and down, as the banging became even louder.

“CASSIDY, YOU DON’T WANT ME TO DO THIS. OPEN UP YOU B*ITCH.”

She closed her eyes again, leaning her head back against the wall. “Please God, don’t let him in.” She prayed silently as tears rolled down her cheek. The banging continued for a few minutes, before it suddenly became very quiet.

Too quiet…

 

Cass sat still, afraid to move. Was he gone? She slowly opened her eyes, and looked around. She was sure he wasn’t inside the house, but she was also pretty sure that she never heard the car drive away, which meant that he was still around somewhere. She took a few minutes to calm herself down. Suddenly, there was a loud sound coming from somewhere outside. She froze again, looking frantically out the window and out on the balcony.

And there he was.

A scream escaped Cass’ lips, and she thought that she was going to faint. Noel was standing outside, looking at her through the window, waving to her with an evil grin on his face, and a look that said ‘hey babe, missed me?’

Cass wanted to move out of his sight, but it was as if she was glued to the floor. She couldn’t move, and she couldn’t even look away from him. Then, she remembered, she had forgotten to lock the door that led out to the balcony. She never thought that someone would be able to climb up there considering it was on the second floor. A wave of fright rushed over her, and she forced herself to look away from him and stand up. Her legs were shaking so badly, she could barely stand. As if Noel had read her mind, he looked over towards the glass door and started moving towards it. Cass ran across the room, feeling as if she was fighting for her life. They reached the door at the same time, Cass leaning against it, trying to prevent him from pushing it open and at the same time, struggling to lock it. But he was stronger than her, and with one thrust, he pushed it open causing Cass to fall backwards. She screamed as she fell to the floor. For a moment he just stood in the doorway, looking down at her, letting his eyes travel up and down her body.

“Hello Cassidy.” He said, “Missed me?” He walked over to her and bent down next to her.

Cass didn’t dare to say anything. She had learned over the years she had known him that whatever she said, he would use against her at some point.

“No?” He looked at her as if he was disappointed in her. “Well, I missed you.” He whispered into her ear. “Why don’t I show you just how much?”

“No, please….” Cass cried.

“You’re not scared, are you? We’ve done this so many times before. You know what I like, Cassidy.” He stroke her chin with his cold hand, and Cass shivered.

“How did you find me?” She asked, surprised that she even dared to ask him.

Noel laughed. “How did I find you…? Well that wasn’t too hard. You’re everywhere these days, Cassidy. That stupid Backstreet Boy isn’t exactly hiding the fact that you’re his little s*lut. All I had to do was find out were he lived, and it led me straight to you.” He laughed again. “But let’s not talk about that right now. I want what I came here for.”

Cass shook her head. “No…” She whispered, backing away from him a little. Noel reached out and grabbed her wrist, holding her down. Cass struggled to get away, but he was stronger than her and with one single move, he had positioned himself on top of her.

“No, please don’t…” She cried out. She knew there was no way she would be able to free herself from him now. All she could do was close her eyes, and let him have what he wanted.

 

Just as he was about to force himself into her, sirens could be heard in the distance. He stopped and looked down at her.

“You f*cking b*itch!!!! You called the police?” He yelled, slamming his fist in her face. Cass cried out in pain, but inside, she felt nothing but relief that her prayers had been heard. Noel quickly stood up and pulled up his pants.

“You’re not getting away with this, you little s*lut.” He grabber her wrist and pulled her up from the floor, dragging her with him towards the front door. It all happened so quickly that Cass didn’t have the time to react. She couldn’t understand why he was taking her with him, when the police was right outside the house.

Noel paused in front of the door, tightening the grip around Cass’ arm. With his other arm, he reached down and pulled out something from one of his pockets. Cass gasped when she saw that he was holding a gun.

“Now, let’s see if Mr. Officer wants to play!” He laughed, pushing the door open and dragging Cass with him outside.

From there, everything seemed to be going in slow motion. Cass could see the two police officers pulling out their guns, one of them rushing back to the car to call for backup. She could hear Noel yell something to them, and the two officers responding. Suddenly, one of the officers fell to the ground. There was silence for only a few seconds, and then everything went black.

    

A few hours away, Nick was sitting in his seat, looking out of the small plane window. All he could think of was Cass, and that she might be in danger. He had a bad feeling that something had happened to her. But not even in his wildest dreams would he be prepared to face what was waiting for him at home.

Chapter 38 by miss_hypergirl

The plane finally arrived, and Nick hurried off together with Aj, who was on the same flight as him. They quickly collected their luggage, and headed outside to Aj’s car that was parked in a secured area of the airport. Nick kept on calling Cass in her cell phone, but there was no answer.

“Why isn’t she answering?” He said, sounding both frustrated and scared at the same time. “What if something happened to her, Aj…?”

“It’s probably nothing. Maybe he left, and she fell asleep or something.” Aj said as he unlocked the car, and they both got in. Nick wanted it so desperately to be true, but yet, he wasn’t convinced. He’d had a bad feeling ever since they got on the plane a few hours ago, and as they got closer to his home, he got more and more nervous. Aj started the car, and they drove off. Nick had begged Aj to drive him home and wait there until he was sure that everything was ok. He didn’t want to face whatever it was that had happened, alone.

Nick tried calling Cass again, but there was still no answer.

“DAMN IT!!!!” He yelled, banging his fist against the window, feeling the pain from the hit rush over him. “F uck!” He mumbled under his breath, shaking his hand to get rid of the pain.

“Relax man.” Aj said and placed a hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Look, you can yell as much as you want, but it won’t get us there any faster, or undo what might have happened. We can only hope for the best.”

Nick sighed. He knew Aj was right, but at the same time, he just wanted to scream out loud.

The rest of the 45 minute ride was made in silence. Aj was driving as fast as he could, and Nick kept looking out the window and watching the landscape change until he could see the ocean ahead of him. They were only five minutes away from his home now, and his heart was razing so fast that it hurt. What if something had happened to her...? He couldn’t stand the thought of Cass having to go through more pain than she already had. She was doing so well on her road to complete recovery, and he was so proud of her for managing on her own while he had been away.

“You ok?” Aj finally spoke as they pulled into Nick’s street.

“I don’t know. I’m scared man…” His voice was shaking.

“It’ll be alright Nick. I’m sure she’s fine.”

“Don’t say that Aj… not until you know for sure.”

“I’m sorry man…”

Nick shook his head. “I just…” He looked up and felt his heart skip a beat as he spotted the scenario that took place in front of his house. “Shit!”

“Oh my…” Aj said shocked, and looked over at Nick who had suddenly gotten very pale. 

Aj drove the last 300 feet over to the house and parked the car. There were two police cars as well as several other cars parked outside. A large crowd had gathered around, and people were pointing and whispering to each other. Nick and Aj quickly got out of the car and ran over to the driveway. They were stopped mid-way by a police officer.

“I’m sorry you two. You can’t go there. This is a crime scene!” He stated, nodding towards several officers walking around.

Nick could no longer think straight. The worst possible thing that could have happened was there, right in front of him.

“I…I live here…” He said, feeling Aj’s hand on his shoulder.

The police officer looked down. “Oh… I’m sorry. You might want to sit down for this.” He proceeded to walk over to a bench a few feet away, but Nick didn’t move. He didn’t know what to say. He didn’t want to know what had happened. Seeing that Nick wasn’t able to speak, Aj decided to do it for him.

“Listen, just tell us what happened.” He said, trying to sound firm, although his voice was shaking.

The officer paused for a moment as if he was trying to come up with the right words to use.

“There was a shooting episode here a few hours ago.”

Nick held his breath as the officer continued.

“Two people got killed, and one was badly injured.”     

“No…” Nick shook his heard. Panic was starting to overcome him, and he felt like he was having a bad dream. “NO!” He yelled and took a step closer to the officer as if he was going to hit him. Aj grabbed his arm and held him back. Nick started looking frantically around.

“WHERE IS SHE?” He yelled again, tears erupting from his eyes.

“The girl,” Aj asked, still holding on to Nick “what happened to her?”

“She’s alive. Barely.” The officer replied, looking at Nick, who was sobbing uncontrollably.

“She was shot in the chest at a close range. I don’t know if she’s going to make it. She your girlfriend?” He asked, looking at Nick, who couldn’t utter a word.

“Fiancée.” Aj said, answering the question.  

“I’m really sorry. I’ll get someone to drive you to the hospital right away.” He said, and walked away.

Aj stood next to Nick, feeling helpless as he watched his friend cry. He took a step closer to him and pulled him into a hug.

“I’m really sorry Nick.” Aj said, letting Nick cry on his shoulder.

 

After a few minutes, they were shown to a car that would take them to the hospital. Aj could have driven there himself, but seeing that Nick really needed him, and the fact that he didn’t know if he himself would be able to drive, they accepted the ride from one of the officers.

They arrived at the hospital only fifteen minutes later, and rushed inside to get the information on Cass that they desperately wanted.

Nick had calmed down a little on their way there, but his eyes were still red and filled with tears. Aj too had cried. Cass was a good friend of his and his girlfriend’s best friend. He also felt extremely sorry for Nick.

Once they had spoken to a nurse at the front desk, they were taken to a waiting area and were told to wait there for the doctor. No one would tell them anything about Cass’ condition. Half an hour later, a doctor approached them.

Nick quickly stood up from the chair he was sitting on, and walked over to the doctor.

“How is she?” He asked, holding his breath.

“Her condition is critical. We removed the bullet, but she’s lost a lot of blood and she’s very weak right now.”

Nick looked down, tears welling up in his eyes again. “Oh god…” He whispered.

“Will she make it?” Aj asked, knowing that they both needed to know.

“I don’t know…” The doctor answered honestly. “It’s up to her. Let’s just hope she’s a fighter.”

“She is…” Nick whispered to himself, wiping away a few tears. “Can I see her?”

“Are you family?”

“I’m her fiancée. I’m the only family she’s got.”

The doctor nodded. “You can see her. But I’ll have to warn you; she doesn’t look very good. You have to be prepared for that.”

“She’ll always look beautiful to me.” Nick stated, and turned to Aj. “You’ll be waiting here, right?”

“Of course.” He answered, pulling Nick into a hug. “Good luck buddy.”

Nick gave him a weak smile and followed the doctor out of the room.

 

Chapter 39 by miss_hypergirl

Nick entered the room where Cass was lying. His whole body was shaking as he walked over to her bed. She was hooked up to different machines, and the beeping that was monitoring her heart beats was the only sound in the room. To Nick, it sounded hollow, and too loud. Beep… beep… beep… At least it was the sound of life.

As he sat down next to her bed, he felt tears forming in the corner of his eyes again. She looked so fragile lying there, but still, so peaceful. He gently took her hand in his. It felt cold against his warm skin. Déjà vu he thought to himself as he smiled sarcastically.

“Hey baby…” He said, stroking her hair with his other hand. He tried coming up with something more to say, but found that he couldn’t, so he just lay his head down next to her on the pillow, and cried silently. 

 

A few hours later, Nick was still sitting by her side. He’d only been out of the room once to go and tell Aj to go home and get some rest. As he was about to lay his head back down on her pillow, his phone vibrated in his pocket. He quickly pulled it out and looked at the display. Brian….

Nick cleared his voice, and took a deep breath before he answered.

“Hey Rok.” He said, trying to sound cheerful.

“Hey buddy.”

Nick could instantly hear that Brian had put on the ‘are you ok?’ voice that he used whenever something had happened.

“Are you ok?” Brian continued.

Nick smiled a little to himself. ‘I know him too well…’ He thought.

“Well, you know… I’m trying to hang in here.”

“Aj called me and told me what happened. How’s she doing Nick?”

Nick sighed. “Nothing new… she’s still unconscious.”

“She’s a fighter. She’ll wake up soon.”

“I hope you’re right.”

“You sound doubtful.” Nick could picture Brian frown on the other end. He paused for a few moments, trying to figure out what to say.

“I don’t know Bri. It seems like the only thing we do is spending time at the hospital crying over each other. Maybe we’re just not meant to be…”

“Nick, you love her, right?”

“More than anything…”

“Then you can’t give up on what you have. You’ve been through so much together. You have to give her the support that she needs right now.”

“I know Brian… I just don’t know what to say to her when she wakes up. I wasn’t there to protect her, and she counted on me, she trusted me.”

“Nick, you can’t blame yourself for this. There is no way you could’ve known. She knew you were on your way, there’s nothing else you could’ve done. And the fact that you’re there right now, may give her the strength that she needs to recover.”    

Nick nodded to himself and fought back a few tears.

“You’re right. It’s just that I desperately want to forget all the bad things that have happened over the past year, and now, I feel like I’m back where we started. It makes it so hard, you know.”

“I know Nick. Just promise me that you’ll stay with her, ok? She needs you now more than ever. Are you at the hospital right now?”

“Yea, I’m sitting right next to her. She looks so pale, Bri.”

“I’ll pray for her, Nick.”

“I know you will…”

“I’ll pray for you both.”

“Thanks Rok.”

“I love you man.”

Nick smiled a little. “Yea, yea… don’t get all girlie with me now. Love you too though.”

“I know. Call me if anything happens ok?” Brian said, glad that he had gotten his friend to speak to him.

“I will.”

“Ok. Bye Nick.”
”Bye Rok.”

 

A week passed, and nothing happened. Nick spent every hour of the day by Cass’ bed side, only going home for a few hours now and then to change and eat, usually at the crack of dawn after spending a sleepless night in the chair next to her bed.

 

It was now Monday, eight days after the accident and Nick had just gotten back to the hospital after going home to take a shower and get something to eat. He walked down the familiar corridor, and was met by Cass’ doctor just as he was about to enter her room.

“Nick,” He said almost cheerful, “I’m glad I found you. Let’s sit down for a moment, shall we?” He led Nick over to a bench down the corridor and they both sat down. They had had a few conversations over the past week, and Nick trusted that he would do everything in his power to help Cass.

Nick looked at him with a worried expression on his face. “Is something wrong?”

“Well… no. Rather the opposite actually. She woke up Nick.”

Nick looked at him in shock, as of he didn’t believe what he had just said.

“What?” He asked.

“Cass woke up about an hour ago.”

A smile spread across Nick’s face. “Really? And everything is ok?”

“Well…” The doctor hesitated. “Why don’t you go talk to her?”

Nick frowned. “Ok…” He stood up and walked over to her door. He looked back at the doctor, who nodded to confirm that it was ok for him to enter.

Nick opened the door and walked straight over to Cass’ bed. She was lying in the same position as she had all week, her eyes open, looking up at the ceiling. Nick let out a sight of relief as she turned her head to look at him, tears rolling down her cheek. He bent down and put his arms around her, as they both cried for several minutes.

“God Cass… I’m so sorry.” Nick sobbed, holding her head in his hands.

“Nick… I can’t feel my legs…” She said, looking into his eyes. “I can’t feel them…”

Nick looked at her in horror, as she began to cry even more.

“What?” He said confused.

“I can’t feel my legs… I’m paralyzed from the waist and down.” She said, her sad eyes filled with tears as she looked at him.

“Oh god…”

“What do I do Nick? I can’t feel them, I can’t move…”

Nick didn’t know what to do or say. He just pulled her closer to him, as she cried on his shoulder.

 

A few hours passed, and Nick could still not believe that Cass had lost the feeling in both of her legs. He had crawled up in bed next to her, just to be as close to her as possible. She hadn’t said a word for the past two hours, just lying there, staring up at the ceiling

“What happened to Noel?” She suddenly asked out of the blue, turning her head to look at Nick.

Nick looked at her and put a hand on her chin. “He’s dead Cass…”

Cass just nodded and turned her head to look up at the ceiling again.

“He was shot by a police officer right after he shot you and another officer.”

Cass didn’t respond.

“I’m so sorry Cass… I should have been there to protect you, but I wasn’t. This is all my fault.”

“No… Nick, don’t say that. You didn’t know this was going to happen… The fact that you’re here right now is all that matters to me.” She whispered, looking at him again.

Nick smiled a little. “You sound like Brian.”

“Well… that’s no surprise I guess.” She said. “I wish things were different though…”

“Hey…” Nick said, kissing her lips softly. “We’ll get through this together.”

 

A couple of days passed, and Cass was still feeling numb from everything that had happened. She had forced Nick to go home every night to get some sleep. Both because he was exhausted, and because she felt like she needed some time on her own to gather her thoughts. Dealing with the fact that she was paralyzed was hard for her, and she spent every minute of the day – and night, thinking about it. The doctors had ran a lot of tests and found out that if she worked hard enough, she might be able to walk again. There were still a few nerves in her legs that were working, but it would require a lot of effort to get them to function again. Cass wanted to believe that she could do it, but at the time, she felt completely helpless, and even if she tried, she couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.

There were also other things taking up space in her mind. The thoughts scared her to death, but she knew she couldn’t reject them. She had thought about it for a few days, and had decided that it was the best thing to do.

As she was thinking about this one morning, Nick entered her room, looking more cheerful that he had in a long time. Cass felt really guilty for having to spoil his mood.

“Hey baby.” Nick said, sitting down next to her.

“Hi.” Cass couldn’t look at him, knowing what she was going to say.  

Nick sensed that something was wrong right away, and looked down at her forcing her to look at him.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

Cass took a deep breath, and paused for a moment to gather her thoughts.

“Nick… I think we need to talk.”

Nick shifted in his seat, and frowned.

“Talk? About what?”

“I… umm…” She had to force herself not to look away, “I don’t think we should see each other any more.” She said, tears forming in her eyes.

“What?” Nick looked shocked.

“I’m breaking off the engagement Nick. I can’t be with you.”

 

Chapter 40 by miss_hypergirl

Nick sat there stunned for a few seconds. He looked away without saying anything, feeling his heart raze. She couldn’t be serious, could she?

“I’m sorry Nick…” Cass cried, covering her face with her hands.

“Why are you doing this?” He whispered, without looking at her. He knew if he did, he would start to cry.

Cass didn’t answer.

“You don’t mean this Cass. I know you don’t. Please say you don’t…” He was trying to fight back his own tears, but he knew there was no point.

“Cass?” He placed his hand on her arm, but she quickly removed it.

“Please just leave…” She said, trying to sound convincing.

“No,” Nick raised his voice a little to get her attention. This made Cass cry even more. “I’m not leaving until you look me in the eyes and tell me you don’t want me to be here!” He was crying now, but he didn’t know if his tears were out of anger or hurt.

“I want you to leave Nick…” She whispered, looking directly at him.

“I don’t believe you.”

“JUST GO!” She yelled with all the strength she had left.

Their eyes locked for a few seconds, before Nick stood up and walked out of the room. 

 

Nick entered his house after driving straight home from the hospital. He kicked off his shoes in the hall and walked slowly over to the kitchen. He seemed to be doing everything as if he was in a trance, and he knew that he had been lucky not to hurt himself or someone else when he was driving back from the hospital. It was a sunny day, but he could see only darkness and rain when he looked around.

“FU**!!!!” He yelled as he grabbed a glass on the counter and threw it against the kitchen wall. It shattered into small pieces. Tears were forming in his eyes again, and he leaned his back against the wall to let himself slide down on the floor where he pulled his knees up to his chin and covered his face with his hands.

 

The next day, Aj was sitting in his living room, once again trying to call Nick. He had tried calling the hospital too, to see if something had happened to Cass, but they could only tell him that Cass was fine and that Nick wasn’t with her.

Aj sighed as he hung up again, still no answer from Nick. He stood up and decided to drive over to his house to see what was going on.

 

One hour later, he was standing outside Nick’s house, knocking on his door. There was no answer. In a way, he wasn’t even surprised.

The door was unlocked so Aj decided to take the risk and enter the house. Once he was inside, he stopped and looked around. He’d only been there once after Nick had bought it, but the house wasn’t too big, so he knew his way around.

“Nick?” He said, quiet at first. There was no answer.

“NICK!” He yelled a little louder, as he started walking down the hall and into the living area.

No Nick…

“Where is he?” Aj said to himself out loud. He continued to check every room on the first floor before he decided to walk upstairs to check Nick’s bedroom.

Once he was there, he stopped outside the door, no sound coming from the inside. He knocked carefully. “Nick… you in there?”

No answer.

Aj sighed and slowly opened the door to enter the room.

 

Nick was laying on his bed, fully dressed, his back to Aj. There were empty beer cans lying on the floor, and on his bed next to him.

“Holy Christ…” Aj muttered under his breath as he walked over to Nick’s side of the bed.

He was staring straight into the wall with a blank expression on his face and his eyes were puffy from crying.

“What happened man?” Aj asked concerned. 

“She broke up with me…” Nick whispered without looking up at Aj.

“What?”

“Cass broke up with me…”

Aj looked shocked. “I heard you saying that. Why?”

Nick shrugged. “I don’t know.” He was still looking blankly at the wall.

“Nick, look at me! What did she say?”

No answer.

“Nick, you look like crap.”

“Thanks man…” Nick looked up for the first time.

“Wanna talk about it?”

Nick shook his head. “Not really…”

“Want me to talk to her?”

“I don’t know.”

“Nick, seriously! You can’t just stay like this forever. I’ll drive to the hospital right now and talk to her if you want me to.”

Slowly, Nick nodded his head. “Ok…” He whispered.

Aj took a few steps towards the door. “I’ll come right back here after I’ve talked to her. Then we’ll talk.”

Nick didn’t answer, so Aj just walked out of the room.

 

Two hours later, he was back. Nick was still lying on the bed, almost in the same position as he had when Aj had left. When Nick heard Aj enter the room again, he sat up, nervous about what his friend had to say.

Aj approached the bed and sat down next to Nick, staring at his friend for a few moments.

“You know, you look worse then she does…” He said.

“Well… she dumped me, not the other way around.”
”No… she has nurses to take care of her, you don’t. She’s as miserable as you are Nick. All I can say is that you have to go and talk to her.”

“She doesn’t want to see me.”

“Yes, she does. She asked me to tell you to come.”

Nick looked up. “She did?” He said, almost out of bed before Aj had time to answer.

“Yes.”

“Will you drive me there?”

“Well, I’d be stupid to let you drive by yourself anywhere right now, so yes.” He answered, refereeing to the empty beer cans in Nick’s room. “And for god’s sake man, brush your teeth…”

 

“Hi…” She said as he approached her bed.

“Hi.” Nick didn’t know where to look. He wanted to hold her so bad, but he didn’t know what she wanted, or was about to say, so he forced himself not to touch her.

There was silence for a few moments. Nick knew that Cass was trying to figure out what to say. He knew her well, but right at that moment, he had no idea what she was thinking.

“I’m sorry Nick…” She whispered, her voice breaking.

Nick could tell that she was about to cry again. There had been a lot of tears being shed from both of them during the past two days, and Nick didn’t even know if he had any left.

He was about to say something, when Cass stopped him.

“I don’t know why I said what I said the other day… I thought that it would make it easier for both of us if we weren’t together. And I thought that it was just a matter of days until you would break up with me… so I figured I’d do it to save you the time.” She paused and looked at him, tears rolling down her pale cheek.

“Cass… Why would you think that?”

“For god’s sake Nick. LOOK AT ME!” She cried, lifting her arms up only to let them fall helplessly back onto the white sheets. “I’m a freak…. I can’t walk; I can’t do anything on my own anymore.” She was sobbing uncontrollably now as she looked up at him for the first time. Nick could see his own pain in her eyes, and reached out to stroke her chin as she whispered, “I don’t want to be your burden.”  

Nick looked at her, tears filling his eyes. “Oh god… Cass.”

He stood up from the chair and sat down on the side of her bed, pulling her close to him. He stroke her hair gently while she cried into his chest, releasing all the pain that she felt.

“You would never be a burden to me… I don’t care if you can’t walk. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that I love you. I can’t believe you would ever think that I was going to leave you because of this.”

“I’m sorry…” She cried again, shaking as Nick held her, rocking her back and forth.

“Promise me you won’t ever scare me like that again.”

She lifted her head, and nodded. “I promise. I love you Nick.”

Nick smiled and wiped away a few of her tears with his thumb. “You still want to marry me?”

Cass laughed a little a nodded.

“Good, cause I’d have a hard time planning a wedding on my own you know…”   

 

Chapter 41 by miss_hypergirl

It was one week later, and Cass was on her way home from the hospital. She had been spending the past week meeting with different therapists that was going to help her on her way to recovery, both physical and psychological. Nick had spent every moment by her side, determined to convince her that he was not going to let her disability put a stopper to their relationship. They had talked a lot about what was going to happen when Cass was ready to go home, and they had decided that she was going to move in with Nick. She would need his help with practically everything, and living with him would be a lot easier than having to call him from her own apartment every time she needed to get out of bed. They had also set a date for the wedding. Nick wanted to do it before the group started working on their new album at the beginning of next year, and Cass agreed. It was now June, and they would be getting married in December, on Christmas Day. That would give Cass time to work on her program to get her strength back in her legs, or at least try. The doctor had given her no guarantee, but said that her chances were good.

 

“I can’t wait to get home…” Cass said anxiously as they were driving to Nick’s place.

“I can’t wait to have you home.” Nick smiled, glancing over at her from the driver seat.

Cass smiled back and placed a hand gently on his thigh.

“It’s gonna be weird though. I mean, I haven’t been there since… you know.” The memories form the night she was shot still haunted her thoughts every hour of the day. She was dreading to see the house for the first time, yet, she also wanted to get it over with so that she could move on.

“It’s gonna be ok Cass. He’s gone now. He can’t hurt you ever again.”

Cass sighed. “I know…”

 

Half an hour later Nick parked the car in the drive way, and turned the engine off. He looked over at Cass and took her hand.

“Are you gonna be ok?”

She nodded and gave him a small smile. “Yea… I think so.”

“Ok.” He opened the car door. “I’ll help you get out.”

Nick stepped out of the car and walked around it to help Cass.

That was when it struck her. This might be the life she had to live. Nick would have to help her out of the car every time she’d gone somewhere. He would have to carry her up the steps to the front door and inside, up the stair to their bedroom, out of the shower, down to the beach… everywhere. She looked down at her hands as Nick opened the door to the passenger seat to help her. She didn’t want to cry in front of him, she wanted to be strong, but moments like this made it hard to hold back the tears.

“Baby… what’s wrong?” Nick bent down and lifted her face with his hand. “Why are you crying?”
Cass shook her head and sighed. “I just… it’s nothing. Just glad to be home I guess.” She lied. Nick knew immediately that she wasn’t telling the truth, but he didn’t want to make things worse, so he let it go.

“Come on, let’s get you out of this car.” He said as he put one arm around her back and one to support her legs. Cass put her arms around his neck, and slowly, Nick lifted her out of the car.  

Cass looked up at the house, trying not to remember the incident that had happened there two weeks before. She was preparing herself to feel bad, but instead, she had to smile. Nick had installed a ramp that went from the driveway and up to the front door to make it easier for her to get her wheelchair inside.

“Aww, Nick you didn’t have to do that.” She kissed his cheek lightly.

“Of course I did. Only the best for you.” He kissed her back and started walking up the steps to the front door. “I’ll get your wheelchair later.”

Cass nodded and reached over to open the door. As soon as they stepped inside, they were met by cheers and applause. Cass gasped. She looked around the room, seeing a large banner that said “WELCOME HOME CASS!” All the guys and their girlfriends and wives were there and they all rushed over to her as soon as Nick and Cass entered the room.

“Oh… you guys…!” Cass felt like crying again. She was truly touched by how wonderful everyone had been to her ever since the accident and this proved to her that she had some amazing friends. “Did you know about this?” She looked at Nick, smiling.

“I had no idea…” Nick tried to look innocent.

“You’re a terrible liar.” Cass laughed and smacked his chest, as Nick carried her into the living room and sat her down on the couch.    

 

The party went on for a few hours after that. Everyone was having a good time, and Cass actually felt like she was one of them again, even though she would have loved to walk around, chatting with everybody, instead of sitting in a wheelchair trying not to hit the furniture or one of the guests. Baylee was enjoying sitting on her lap, pushing the wheels as fast as he could while everyone was laughing at Cass’ expression every time he went a little too fast.

 

Later that night, when everyone had left, Cass and Nick were sitting on the couch watching TV. Cass didn’t pay any attention to the show that was on; instead she let her mind wander again. She had a lot of fun that day, even though she could sense that the others were kinda uncomfortable with the new situation. They tried to treat her like they always had, but she noticed that they were a lot more careful when it came to what they said. Aj had excitedly told everybody how much fun he had had the night before when he and Holly had been out dancing. Cass noticed that Holly had kicked his leg and given him a look that said ‘Shut up! Cass can’t dance anymore, remember…?’, followed by a few seconds of awkward silence, before Baylee had started jumping up and down singing the chorus to Just Want You To Know, making everybody laugh. Cass had to smile. That little guy had saved her night.

 

“Cass? Cass, baby?”

Cass jerked out of her thoughts and looked over at Nick.

Nick smiled at her. “A penny for your thoughts…”

She laughed.

“What?” Nick asked.

“Nothing… I just remembered something you said one time.”

“What?”

Cass shook her head.

“Aww… come on! Tell me.”

“Ok… you said something like, don’t give me a penny for your thoughts, give me a quarter for your dirty ones ---“

“---so I can buy a condom…” Nick laughed. “I can’t believe I said that…”

Cass smiled and shrugged.

Nick looked at her more serious this time. “But seriously. What were you thinking?”

She sighed. “I don’t know. Just that I had a great time today, and that Baylee saved the night. It would’ve been a lot more awkward if he hadn’t been here…”

Nick nodded. He had noticed too. “He’s a kid, you know. No worries.”

“I wish I could be like that sometimes.”

“I know… But you gotta face reality, you know.”

They fell silent for a few minutes, both lost in their own thoughts.

 

“You wanna go to bed?” Nick asked.

Cass hesitated. “I kinda wanted to take a shower… but umm… you know, I’ll need some help, I think.” She almost felt like she was asking him to be her slave or something, and she hated it.

Nick sensed that she felt weird asking him, but he just smiled at her. “I’ll help you over to the bathroom. I wanted to show you something there anyway.” He lifted her up from the couch and walked across the room. They entered the guest bathroom and Cass was surprised by what he had done to it. He had installed a seat in the shower, so that she could sit down and shower on her own. He had moved all her toiletries downstairs and updated the bathroom to adjust her needs.

“Oh Nick… Thank you so much.” Cass suddenly felt like a big weight had been lifted off her shoulders. This meant that she didn’t need as much help as she thought she would need in the first place.

“You welcome!” Nick smiled and kissed her gently. He felt proud of himself for the way he was handling the situation, and he was glad that Cass was taking this so well. He was proud of her too, for not giving up, and for making the best out of the situation, even thought he knew it was very hard for her.

 

He left Cass alone, and told her that he would be waiting in the living room to help her upstairs once she was done.

As he sat down on the couch again, he had to smile to himself. Despite everything that had happened, it looked like they were going to make it through. Soon, she would be his wife, and there was nothing else he wanted more.  

Chapter 42 by miss_hypergirl

Four months later.

 

It was now October, and Nick and Cass’ wedding was getting closer. The months since the accident had been hard for Cass. She was seeing a therapist three times a week to work on her legs, and twice a week, Nick would take spend two hours with her in the pool and do different exercises with her to strengthen her muscles. But still, despite all the hard work, Cass could not feel any changes in her condition. Nick was extremely patient with her, always telling her not to give up and keeping her hopes up and Cass was certain that if Nick hadn’t been there, she would have given up a long time ago.

 

Cass was now on her way to therapy together with Holly. The guys had gone off to New York for a week to do a charity concert and an appearance on TRL. Nick had almost refused to go, not wanting to leave Cass alone, but she had convinced him that she would be just fine and that Holly would be staying with her to make sure that she got to her appointments. Eventually, he had given in.

 

The girls walked into the building where Cass was meeting for her appointment. Holly followed Cass over to a door at the end of the hall and they walked in.

“Hey Lauren.” Cass said to her therapist, a woman in her mid thirties as she and Holly entered the room. The room was a like a gym, filled with different equipments that trained different parts of the body. A few other people were in the room, working on a treadmill and lifting weights.

“Hello Cassidy.” She approached the girls.

“This is my friend Holly.” Cass said.

“Hi, how are you?” Holly smiled and shook her hand.

“I’m good, thanks.” Lauren turned to Cass again. “So, Nick got tired of coming here, huh?”

Cass laughed a little. “Nah… he’s in New York this week, doing a charity concert with the group. He’ll be back again next week. You won’t get rid of him that easy.”

“Well, shall we then?” Lauren said, changing the subject and walking over to the machine that Cass was using. It looked like a stretched treadmill, with a lot of different functions so that it could be adjusted to fit Cass’ situation. There was a bar on each side, so that she could support her weight and have something to hold on to.

Before Cass went on the machine, Lauren spent thirty minutes, stretching Cass’ legs and doing different exercises with them.

 

“Ok, Cassidy. I think you’re ready to get on the machine now.”

Cass nodded and waited for Lauren to get the machine ready for her. She would be wearing a suite that had straps attached to the ceiling so that she could stand up straight. The suite would also support her weight if she wasn’t able to stand on her own.  

Once the suite was on, Lauren stepped back so that Cass could grab the bars and stand up from the wheelchair. This was the easy part. Her arms had gotten very strong after lifting her own weight so many times, so getting up from the chair was done in a few seconds.

“Good.” Lauren said, once Cass was on her feet, struggling not to fall back down.

“Now, remember what we’ve been taking about. Slowly adjust your body weight so that you’re resting it on your legs. Find the balance.”

Cass released the pressure on her arms and tried to shift it on to her legs.

“Come on Cass. You can do it!” Holly said next to her, watching Cass intensely.

Cass felt her legs disappear beneath her, as she fell back and let the suit carry her weight.

“Damn it!” She swore as she realized that she had failed, again.

“That’s ok Cass. Try again.” Lauren said, helping her back to the wheelchair. “Now, focus.”

Cass took a deep breath, as she once again, lifted her body up from the chair. She took a few seconds to find her balance but before she could continue, a sound across the room made her lose focus and she fell back down again.

“Argh…!!!! I almost had it.” She said frustrated, turning her head to see who had made the sound.

“He just dropped on of the manuals on the floor.” Holly said, pointing towards the guy that was lifting weights across at the other end of the room.

“I was so close this time. My balance was perfect. Damn!”

“Try one more time Cass. And this time, if you feel confident that you can do it, try moving your legs. Take a small step. I know you haven’t done it before, just try.”

Cass nodded and took a few moments to focus and catch her breath. She put her hands on the bars again, and lifted herself up. She found her balance almost right away and little by little, she could feel her legs taking over and supporting her body.

“Good Cassidy.” Lauren said, as she saw that Cass was standing straight up without much support from her arms. 

“Come on Cass!” Holly didn’t exactly know what Cass was supposed to be doing, or what it was supposed to look like, but as long as Cass didn’t fall, she guessed it was a good thing.

Cass suddenly felt very confident in what she was doing, and as if someone was telling her exactly how to do it, she shifted her weight on to her left leg, and pushed her right one forwards.

“YES!” Lauren shouted excitedly as Cass pushed her other leg forward, shifting her weight over to her right leg.

“ONE MORE TIME CASS!”

With all the strength she had left, she took one small step before she fell back and let the suite support the weight of her body.

“YES!” Lauren rushed over to her and gave Cass a hug.

“Oh my god, Cass! You walked!” Holly was nearly on the verge of tears as she too gave her a hug.

“I did it!” Cass said, not knowing if she wanted to laugh or cry.

“Let me help you back to you chair.” Lauren grabbed Cass’ arm and helped her sit down.

“I can’t believe you walked.” Holly was even more excited than Cass.

Cass wasn’t even sure if she realized what had just happened. 

“I think that’s enough for today Cassidy.” Lauren smiled. “You should go home and get some rest now.”
Cass shook her head. “Rest? We’re going out shopping for a wedding gown. I can’t rest now anyways. I’m way too excited. I gotta call Nick! Thanks Lauren.”

Holly laughed and followed Cass out of the room. Cass immediately pulled out her phone and dialled Nick’s number.

 

“Hey baby.” He answered cheerfully.

“Nick, I did it!!!”

“Did what?”

“I WALKED!”

There was a few seconds of silence.

“Are you serious?”

She could picture him smiling at the other end of the line “YES!”

“Oh my god, Cass. That is great!”

Cass laughed. “I know! I mean, it was only like a few feet, but I did it all by myself. No help from Holly or Lauren or anyone. I just lifted myself up from the chair, held on to the bars and moved my feet. It was as if someone just told me how to do it.”

“I’m so proud of you Cass! I wish I could’ve been there with you to see it…” He sounded almost sad that he wasn’t able to be there.

“It’s ok Nick. I’ll show you once you get home in a few days.”

“I can’t wait!”

“Me neither. Listen, I gotta go. We’re going shopping for a wedding gown.”

“Ok. Have fun. Find something nice for me.”

“I will.”

“Love you.”

“Love you too.”

 

The girls made their way out to the car and drove away to go and do some serious shopping.

 

Three hours and four bridal shops later, they still hadn’t found anything that they liked.

“How about that one?” Holly pointed towards a shop on a street corner as they were driving past. Cass turned her head to look at it.

“Vera Wang? No way!”

“Why not?”

“Do you know how much those dresses cost?”

Holly rolled her eyes. “Didn’t Nick tell you not to worry about the cost of the wedding? I thought he gave you his credit card.”

Cass sighed. “Well… he did. But I’m not gonna spend that much money on a wedding gown.”

“Cass…” Holly pulled over and parked the car, turning her head to face Cass. “Honestly. Do you think Nick would care how much you spend on the dress? Because I think that all he wants is for you to be happy, and look your best. It’s the most important day of your life Cass. You’re supposed to sweep him off his feet. Make him speechless. Drool… or whatever.”

Cass looked at Holly for a few sec before she answered.

“Ok.” She simply said.

“Ok? You’re not gonna argue with me? Come on… you’re no fun.”

Cass laughed. “No, you’re right. It is the most important day of my life. And I really wanna make him speechless, or as you so nicely said it… drool.”

Holly laughed. “Alright! Let’s go!”

She helped Cass out of the car and together, they crossed the street and entered the bridal shop.

 

One hour later they had found the perfect dress. The sales lady in the shop had been extremely helpful and patient. It was hard for Cass to try on the dresses, and she needed support and a lot of time to get it right. The dress she found was only a basis gown, but that way, Cass was able to get it customized and personalized to make it just the way she wanted it. They took her measures, and draw a sketch of what it was going to look like once it was done. It was an elegant strapless A-Line satin gown. It had a floor length skirt with semi cathedral train with built in crinoline and hand beaded bodice and skirt inset with sequin, clear and pearl beads.

 

Holly was almost even more excited than Cass when she what the gown would look like.

“Oh my god, Cass. Not only is Nick going to drool once he sees you in that gown, he’ll need a bucket to collect the water dripping out of his mouth so that he won’t be standing in a pond once you reach him.”

Cass laughed. “It is kinda nice…”

“Kinda nice? It’s gorgeous.”

“I just hope I’ll be able to walk down the aisle. That would make him even more speechless.”

“You will Cass.” Holly said, placing a hand on Cass’ shoulder.

Cass sighed. “God, I hope so…”

 

Chapter 43 - Final chapter by miss_hypergirl

 

“I’m home!” Nick shouted as he stepped through the front door and into his house.

“In the kitchen.” Cass replied.

Nick smiled. He had only been gone for a week, but he had missed her terribly every minute of the day. When she had called to tell him that she had walked by herself, he felt so guilty for not being there beside her, and he swore that he would never leave her like that again.

He walked into the kitchen and walked straight over to Cass who was sitting by the table, reading a magazine.

“Hey baby!” She greeted him.

“Hey!”

Nick bent down and kissed her gently before he sat down next to her.

“Missed me?” She smiled.

“You have no idea.” He leaned over and kissed her again.

“Well, you’re just on time. I have an appointment with Lauren in one hour. You’ll come, right?”

Nick nodded, and grabbed her hand. “Of course I’ll come. I believe you have something to show me?” He grinned. “I’ll just take a quick shower, and we’ll leave.”

“Ok.”

Nick stood up and started making his way out of the room.

“Nick?”

He turned around.

“I missed you too.” Cass smiled.

 

“Ok, Cass. Are you ready to do this again?” Lauren asked, as Cass was ready to start her session.

Cass nodded and looked over at Nick who smiled reassuringly back at her.

“Now, don’t get your hopes up Cass.” Lauren continued. “I know you showed a lot of progress last time you were here, but that doesn’t mean that it will happen straight away again. Things like this take time. So be patient, ok?”

Cass nodded again. “I know I can do it Lauren. Last time… it was as if someone was talking to me, telling me how to do this, and I haven’t forgotten those words.”

Lauren smiled. “Good. Whenever you are ready, Cass.”

Cass took a few seconds to focus before she grabbed the bar in front of her and pulled herself out of the wheelchair.

“Good, now find your balance.” Lauren said.

Nick was holding his breath, watching every move that Cass made. He knew that she was really eager to show him that she could do it, but at the same time, he didn’t want to get his hopes up.

He watched her struggle to find her balance, but only seconds after she had stood up from the chair, she fell back, letting the suit she was wearing catch her fall. He could instantly see the disappointed look on her face, as he stood up from where he was sitting and walked over to stand next to her.

“D*amn it.” Cass said to herself.

Nick grabbed her hand and kissed it gently.

“You’re doing great Cass.”

“Try one more time.” Lauren said, helping Cass back in her chair, ready for another try.

Cass took a deep breath, and prepared herself to stand up again. Once she was on her feet, she took a few seconds to find her balance, and once she felt she had it, she carefully tried to let her legs carry her weight.

“Yes!” She could hear Nick whisper under his breath, as she struggled to focus on moving her legs. She knew perfectly well how to do it, but nothing happened once she tried.

“Come on Cass.” Nick said to her.

“I can’t…” She whispered.

“Yes you can!”

“No, they won’t move. I don’t know how.” She was on the verge of tears as she realized that she couldn’t do it. She felt her legs shaking from supporting her weight, and before she could react, she felt her body once again fall back.

After one hour, she still hadn’t shown any sign of progress. Every time she tried, and failed, hope drained out of her, and she got more and more frustrated.

Nick watched her, and wished there was anything he could say or do, but he knew it was all up to her. He could only be there to support her, and right now, that didn’t help.

 

Cass was quiet all the way home from her session, but once they got back to their house and she lay down on the couch, she broke down into sobs. Nick lied down next to her, and put his arms around her.

“I just wanted to show you that I could do it…” She cried.

Nick stroked her hair. “I know you can do it Cass. Just give it time. You’ll get another chance in a few days.”

“I don’t know if I can do this anymore Nick. I’ve tried so hard, for so long, and no matter how hard I try, I just can’t do it.”

“Don’t say that baby. You’re not a quitter. I’m not marrying a quitter, am I?”

Cass sighed. “No…” She whispered.

Nick smiled and kissed her lips gently. “Good, cause I know you aren’t.”

 

The next two months passed quickly. It was now only one week until the wedding, and Cass was so into the wedding preparations that she didn’t have the time for anything else besides that, and going to therapy. During the past two months, she had shown some progress in the recovery. She had walked a few times, but only small steps, and only for a few seconds. Nick had been ecstatic when he had seen her take the first few steps. He was so proud of the progress that she was making, and he always found ways of telling her how impressed he was on how she was handling her situation. Cass on the other hand, was very disappointed in herself, although she didn’t tell Nick. She wanted more than anything to be able to walk down the aisle on her wedding day, but as they got closer to the wedding, she realized that there was no way she would be able to do that.

She wanted to talk to Nick about it, but she didn’t want to sound like that was all she cared about. She knew that the most important thing was that she was marrying the man she loved, and nothing could take away that feeling of happiness.

 

On their wedding day, Holly would be Cass’ maid of honour; Brian would be Nick’s best man, Kevin and Howie would be the groomsmen, Leighann and Kristin the bridesmaids, and Baylee was going to be the carrying the rings. Cass had asked Aj a few weeks before if he would like to walk her, or as she said, push her, down the aisle. He had gladly told her that he would be honoured to.

 

Cass spent the night before the wedding at Holly and Aj’s place after convincing Nick that it was bad luck to spend the night before the wedding together.

“I can’t believe I’m getting married tomorrow…” Cass said, as she and Holly was getting ready to go to bed.

“Are you nervous?”

“Hell yea!”

“Is that a bad thing?”

Cass shook her head. “I don’t think so. I mean, I’m nervous in a good way. I’m marrying Nick Carter. That alone would make any girls heart burst.”

Holly laughed. “I overheard a conversation he had with Aj a few days ago, you know.”
Cass frowned and looked at her suspiciously. “Were you eavesdropping?” 

“Me? No way…? Ok, maybe a little. But I mean, they were talking really loud, and I just happened to be in the room next door, accidentally pushing my ear against the door…”

Cass laughed. “You’re such lurker.”

“Lurker? Is that even a word?”

“I don’t know…”

Holly laughed. “But anyways, Nick was telling Aj that he was really nervous about marrying you, because he didn’t want to disappoint you. He said that he wants to make you as happy as you’re making him, and that he’s never felt this way about anyone before.”

Cass smiled. “He said that? That’s like hearing my own thoughts. It’s exactly how I feel.”

“Well, it’s good to know you think alike.” Holly helped Cass get into bed, and sat down next to her. “You’re too perfect for each other.” She smiled.

“And tomorrow at around this time, I’ll be Mrs. Carter.”

“Cassidy Carter.” Holly said. “It does have a ring to it.”

Cass laughed. “Yea, I like it. Good night Hol.”

“Night Cass.”  

 

“Nick, calm down!” Brian said, looking at Nick who was pacing back and forth in one of the rooms inside the church.

“What if she doesn’t show up? What if she doesn’t want to get married?”

Brian sighed. “Nickolas, honestly. Do you really think she doesn’t want to get married?”

Nick stopped for a few seconds and looked at his friend.

“No?” He asked.

“No? You’re not supposed to answer a question with another one Nick. You want me to call Leighann and see how they’re doing?”

Nick shook his head. “No, it’s ok. You’re right. She loves me. She wants to marry me, if not, she would’ve told me. Wouldn’t she?”

“Nick, you love her, right?”

“More than anything.”

“Then trust that, and trust that she feels the same way. I know she does.”

Their conversation was interrupted by the priest walking into the room.

“Are you ready?” He smiled, looking over at Nick.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.”

 

“Oh, Cass. I can’t believe you’re getting married.” Leighann said with tears in her eyes.

“I can’t believe Nick’s getting married.” Aj laughed as they all lined up and got ready to walk into the church.

“Baylee, get over here.” Leighann called after her son. He ran over to her and she bent down to straighten his tie and give him the pillow where the rings were carefully placed.

“You remember what to do, right?”

Baylee nodded.

“Just walk down the aisle and over to daddy.” Leighann reminded him as the music started playing. “Go!” She whispered, giving him a push. Baylee walked away, and Leighann stood up, standing next to Howie.

“Good luck.” She turned around and whispered to Cass as the rest of them walked into the church, leaving Aj and Cass alone for a few minutes.

 

“So, you ready?” Aj asked, positioning himself behind her wheelchair.

Cass sighed “You know, the moment that I met Nick, I knew that we would end up together. I mean, who would spend a week in a hospital next to a person you don’t know? How did I get so lucky Aj? ”

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Aj smiled.

“So, how do I look?”

“You look beautiful Cass.”

Cass smiled back at him, tears forming in her eyes as the church went quiet and the organ started playing Air by Bach.

“Here we go.” Aj said, pushing her towards the door.

“Wait!”

 

Nick was standing by the altar, listening to the organ playing and waiting for the doors to open.

“What’s taking her so long?” He whispered to Brian who was standing next to him.

“She’s probably just nervous.”

Nick rested his eyes on the doors. Anytime now… he thought to himself. Anytime now.

He was just about to turn to Brian again, when the doors opened. He straightened himself up, and took a deep breath.

Cass was walking towards him, Aj supporting her weight as she slowly made her way up the aisle.

“Oh my god.” Nick whispered under his breath. He could hear people around him gasping as they all watched Cass walk down the aisle, a proud Aj by her side.

Nick looked at her, tears in his eyes as he realized that she was moving her legs on her own. She looked back at him, and their eyes locked.

“I love you.” He mouthed.

“I love you too.” She smiled back at him.

 

Cass felt as if she was floating down the aisle. The moment she saw Nick and their eyes met, she knew that there was nothing she couldn’t do when he was there to support her. Step by step, she moved closer towards him. The moment she reached him, she knew that they could conquer anything together.

Step by step.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7954