Busy Man by LenniluvsBrian
Summary: A man who is a work-a-holic. But what about the family he's leaving behind while he works?




Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Other
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 3469 Read: 7667 Published: 07/23/06 Updated: 07/28/06

1. You Say Maybe Later, Can't You See I'm A Busy Man? by LenniluvsBrian

2. You Got To Go, Got To Run by LenniluvsBrian

3. Have You Ever Seen A Headstone With These Words.... by LenniluvsBrian

4. They Need You Down In Birmingham by LenniluvsBrian

5. Got Some New Priorities by LenniluvsBrian

You Say Maybe Later, Can't You See I'm A Busy Man? by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
I wrote this after hearing the song Busy Man on an episode of Doc.

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. BSB, Leighanne, & Baylee own themselves, as does Johnny Wright. Song is Busy Man by Billy Ray Cyrus.

Note: I used the ~BSB~BSB~BSB~ as breakers, so it didn't look so chopped up. Also, please don't ask me why they've a brunette child. They just do, kay? Lol.

There's a little boy out in the driveway
His basketball in hand
Saying Daddy could we play a little one on one
You pat him on the back and said not now son
I'm a busy man

Three-year-old Baylee stood out in the drive-way with his basketball. He’d been trying to get the ball in his mini net for a while now, and was wishing his Daddy would come and play with him. He tried again, getting it in this time.

“Yay!” Baylee cheered, doing his little victory dance.

Brian came out of the house then, heading for his car.

“Daddy! Daddy!” Baylee cried. “Comes pway with me!”

Brian smiled at his son. “Buddy, Daddy has to go to work right now.”

“Buts you pwomised you’d pway!” Baylee insisted, running over to his father and tugging on his pantleg. “You pwomised, Daddy.”

Brian scooped the little blond image of himself up. “I’ll play with you when I get home, okay? Promise.”

Baylee pouted. “You saids that lasts time,” he sighed.

Brian kissed his little head. “I love you, Buddy.”

“Loves Daddy,” Baylee replied, hugging him tightly before being set back down upon the asphalt.

Brian smiled and got into his car, driving off down their long driveway to their gates, which were oddly opened.

Baylee watched sadly as his Daddy drove off down the driveway, his little heart breaking. All his Daddy did lately was break promises, and it hurt. He looked over at his basketball and felt his lower lip tremble. All he wanted was to play with his Daddy again, like they used to. He went back to his ball and sat there on the ground hugging it tightly to him.

~BSB~BSB~BSB~BSB~BSB~

Eight-year-old Lenore was just outside of the gate to the house, setting up her lemonade stand. Her mother had given her permission, provided she use her walkie talkie if any trouble arouse. Of course Lenore agreed, wanting to make some money of her own. She even knew just who she wanted her first customer to be!

Brian reached the end of the driveway and pulled to a stop, frowning some when he saw his daughter outside of the security-fenced yard. He parked his car and rolled down his window.

“Lenore, why are you out here?” He demanded.

Lenore looked up, her eyes shining. “Daddy!” She exclaimed, smiling wide. “Mommy said I could have a lemonade stand!”

Brian nodded briefly. “Very well then.”

“You wanna buy a cup?” Lenore asked eagerly, her hopes soaring high. The one she wanted as her first customer had actually come and stopped! Oh, what joy!

“Sorry, Honey, I have to go,” Brian replied, taking his car out of park again. “I’m running late.”

“But Daddy,” Lenore began, “it’s only a twenty-five cents! You always got quarters in your pockets.”

“I don’t have time to search for quarters,” Brian stated firmly, looking to see if any cars were coming.

Lenore quickly poured a cup of lemonade and started heading towards her father’s car. “Here, Daddy! You c’n have a free one!” She said, trying to hurry over.

“Bye! Love you!” Brian called, as he pulled out of the driveway just as she was almost close enough to hand him the cup.

Lenore’s eyes filled with tears, as she watched him drive off down the street. She let her shoulders sag and her hands drop, spilling the lemonade all over the sidewalk. “Love you,” she mumbled to no one in particular.

Leighanne watched from where she stood now holding Baylee. She’d seen the little boy looking lonely and had come out to check on him, only to see the exchange between father and daughter. She saw Lenore re-fill the cup and set it aside, so that it was there just in case her father came back. She shook her head, and walked out to where her eldest was, carrying her youngest.

“Hey, Honey,” she said softly. “Can Baylee and I buy a cup or two?”

Lenore forced a smile upon her face. “Hi, Mommy,” she replied. “Sure. You c’n buy a cup – or two.”

Leighanne watched as two cups of lemonade was poured. “Who’s the other cup for?”

“Daddy,” Lenore answered simply, not looking up. “For when he gets home. He’ll be thirsty, yanno.”

~BSB~BSB~BSB~BSB~BSB~

That night when Brian came home, he went straight to bed, the cup of lemonade left in the fridge for him gone unnoticed. Same with the drawings that were left on the kitchen counter for him to see. And the note near the drawings from his wife, explaining about the drawings and the cup in the fridge that had been left for him. All he noticed was his bed, and nothing else – not even his lovely wife already fast asleep on her side.

His sister's out on the sidewalk
Setting up a lemonade stand
Hey Daddy don't you want to buy a glass from me
You say maybe later, can't you see I'm a busy man
You Got To Go, Got To Run by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
This thing again? Lol. Glad y'all like it thus far! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore, & story idea. BSB own themselves, as do Leighanne, & Baylee. Song is Busy Man by Billy Ray Cyrus. Thank-you!

Note: This one isn't as long as the last one. Sorry!
You got to go, got to run
Hit it hard and get it done
Everyone can see you're going far
You got responsibilities
A crazy schedule that you keep
And when you say that time's a-wasting
You don't know how right you are
Busy man

“So, interview, photo shoot, recording – right?” Brian checked to be sure of what their schedule was for the day.

A.J., Howie, and Nick all nodded. “Yep.”

“You only forgot the second interview – that’ll be after recording,” Howie stated.

“I thought we were through with these crazy schedules?” Nick said.

“Guess not,” A.J. replied. “Everybody wants a piece of us – especially since Kev quit.”

Nick frowned, still not too fond of that fact. “Yeah, well, maybe it’s none of their business why he left. They don’t need to know everything. I mean, we love our fans and all, but we do like to keep some things personal.”

Howie nodded. “I know what you mean, Nicky.”

“You’re lucky I love you, Howie, or I’d kill you for callin’ me Nicky.”

“Guys, can we focus here please?” Brian piped up. “We got a long, busy day ahead of us. We have to stay focused on what we need to do and how we need to do it.”

A.J. chuckled. “Seems we have a new Kevin. Must run in the family.”

Brian frowned. “C’mon, Alex. You know we have to work.”

“Fine, fine,” A.J. replied smirking. “Last one there’s a rotten egg!”

The other three looked at one another, shrugged, then ran off after A.J. who’d already run out of the room.

~BSB~BSB~BSB~

Brian finally came home, in time to change for the next interview and the meeting that had suddenly been called by management.

Leighanne entered the room and smiled. “You’re sure getting ready in a hurry. The baby-sitter won’t be here for another half hour.”

“Baby-sitter?” Brian repeated, turning to look at his wife. He was in a hurry, so his wife’s statement had him completely baffled. “What do we need a baby-sitter for?”

Leighanne frowned. “I thought we had plans to go out tonight?”

“We did?” Brian asked, raising his eyebrows in surprise. “I’m sorry, Honey. I have to work tonight. We’ve an interview and a meeting with management just came up. I’m afraid we’ll have to go out some other time.”

Leighanne’s eyes filled with tears. This was the sixth time she’d been brushed off because he had to work. “You promised we’d go out this evening. To make up for all those other times you had to work.”

Brian finished dressing, and cupped her face in his hands. “I’ll make it up to you. I promise. Just wait until we break somewhere in between the tour.”

Leighanne looked down, unable to look him in the eye. “That’s months from now.”

“It’s something to look forward to then, isn’t it?”

“What do I tell the kids? You promised them a bedtime story.”

“I’ll read to them another night. I have to work, Leigh. I have to make y’all proud.”

Leighanne sighed, as her husband kissed her quickly and ran out, side-stepping the kids as they cried out for him. “You already have. We just want you home,” she said to herself softly, as she sat down on their bed to cry. She’d call the baby-sitter later, or maybe just have her stay and play with the kids anyway.

There's a woman in the bedroom crying
Saying I thought we had plans
You say honey I'm sorry I'll make it up
When the job slows down and I'm not such
A busy man
Have You Ever Seen A Headstone With These Words.... by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Here's more! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. BSB, Leighanne, Baylee, & Johnny Wright all own themselves. Song is Busy Man by Billy Ray Cyrus. Thank-you!

You got to go, got to run
Hit it hard and get it done
Everyone can see you're going far
You got responsibilities
A crazy schedule that you keep
And when you say that time's a-wasting
You don't know how right you are
Busy man

Brian stood amongst his ‘brothers’ as they posed for a group shot during the interview, before sitting down to answer some more questions.

“How important is family to you guys?” The interviewer asked. “Especially since Kevin quit. Do you guys think you can pull it off without him? Or would you rather quit too and be home with family?”

“Family is very important to us,” Nick answered. “We love our families very much and hang out with them as often as possible. We’d do anything for them, and they’re completely supportive.”

“Brian, what does your wife think of you recording with the Boys again so soon after your solo album? And aren’t you still on tour?”

“She thinks it’s wonderful that we still want to continue on. We have so many ideas, that nothing can hold us back anymore. We’re not going to let anyone get in the way. And I’ve only a couple more shows to do, then that’ll probably be it for my solo tour.”

The interviewer went on to ask Howie and A.J. some questions, which left Brian time to think.

“I should have Leigh and the kids tag along one day. They’ll enjoy it. They love hearing me sing.”

Nick eyed his best friend, knowing he was working harder than the rest of them were as of late. He hadn’t seen him much, unless they were working on the next album. Seemed Brian was very busy with his solo work and charity, among other things. He just wondered what Leighanne and the kids really thought of that, knowing his best friend probably really had no idea.

~BSB~BSB~BSB~

“So how are you guys feeling?” Johnny Wright asked. “You too stressed out and need a break, or are you ready for the workload?”

“Ready,” A.J. said eagerly. “I don’t ever wanna take five years off again.”

“Me neither,” Nick agreed. “That was much too long, though really needed.”

Howie sat back, listening to everyone talk, deciding not to speak up until he felt the need too.

“And Brian, how’s the family?”

“They’re…uh…good,” Brian replied, a little hesitant. “To be honest, I really haven’t seen that much of them lately. But they all seem healthy and happy, so all is good.”

“When was the last time you hung out with your kids?” A.J. asked curiously. “I know yah weren’t there the other day, when I came to take them to the amusement park.”

Brian stopped to think a moment. “I’m not sure. I’ve been so busy I really haven’t had time for them.”

Nick frowned. “Brian, they’re just kids. You’re s’pose to make time to play with ‘em. I know that, ‘cause I used to make time for my brother and sisters – still do, even though they’re older now.”

“Some of us have successful solo careers to tend to, Nick,” Brian snapped slightly.

“Not my fault people wanted Justin Timberlake’s album more than mine!” Nick snapped, feeling a bit hurt. “And you said you liked my album! That you were proud! Or did you lie about that?”

“I’ll give you guys a few moments,” Johnny Wright stated, quickly vacating the room.

Brian sighed. “I didn’t mean that, Nick. It’s been a long day, and I’ve just realized how little I’ve seen my wife and kids. I’m supposed to be the family man, and yet, I’ve been brushing them off for work.”

“You don’t stop to have fun, you’ll work yourself to death, man,” A.J. told him, as Howie nodded his agreement. “I mean, even Kev stops to have fun once in a while. Probably all the time now, since he’s got a lot of free time on his hands.”

Brian nodded. “I know. I’m going to try and fix things, soon as I’ve got a moment.”

“Don’t wait for a moment,” Howie piped up. “Make a moment. They’re only young once, and if you miss out on that, you’ll regret it for the rest of your life.”

“You’re right,” Brian nodded. “In fact, I’m going home. I’ve got some stories to read. Can you guy s fill me in later?”

All three nodded, knowing Brian’s family needed him more than they did right then.

Have you ever seen a headstone with these words "If only I had spent more time at work"
They Need You Down In Birmingham by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
Yes, I've got more already. Lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. BSB, Leighanne, Baylee, & Johnny Wright all own themselves. Song is Busy Man by Billy Ray Cyrus. Thank-you!

There's a call one day from the office
They need you down in Birmingham
You say no way, the weekend's mine
I got plans with the kids and a date with my wife
I'm a busy man

The phone rang, as Littrell children were running about excitedly. Their Daddy had promised to take them to the park and then to see Sharon and Bram. They were very excited!

“Daddy! Phone!” Lenore called, having had answered the phone after being instructed to do so.

Brian took the phone from her, kissing her head as thanks. “Hello?”

“Brian, we need you to come in today. We’ve a very important meeting scheduled and you must be there,” management said. “This has to do with your future.”

Brian looked down at the little face staring up at him with a worried look, as though she knew that whatever he decided would plan today’s fate. He listened as management went on and on as to why they needed him to come in today of all days, and why it couldn’t wait. But as he listened, all he took note of was the look on his little girl’s face/. He knew what he had to do.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t come in today. I’ve got plans,” Brian stated, smiling warmly down at the little girl who still stood before him. “I promised my kids we’d go to the park and see Sharon and Bram. The other guys can fill me in later. “Good-bye.”

Lenore watched in awe as her Daddy hung up the phone. She couldn’t believe he’d just told his bosses no!

“Go get your shoes on, Honey,” Brian smiled.

Lenore’s whole face lit up as she yelled for her brother. “Baylee! Get yer shoes on! Daddy’s really takin’ us!”

Brian watched as she ran off, finding himself smiling more than ever before. He never knew it could feel so good to tell management no. He realized then he should do it more often – it was worth the excited looks on his children’s faces.

Baylee ran into the kitchen then, crashing into his father who was coming out. “Daddy!” He squealed. “Uppy! Pwease!”

Brian laughed and scooped his son up into his strong loving arms. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d seen the kids so excited. “Ready to go, Buddy?”

“Yeah!” Baylee exclaimed, clapping his hands in excitement.

“Bye Mommy!” Lenore yelled out, as she finished tying up her shoes. She was thrilled beyond belief to be spending the day with her Daddy.

Leighanne entered the hallway then, smiling, glad to see her children so happy - her husband too. “Have fun, stay safe, and be good.”

Lenore giggled. “We’re always safe! Daddy c’n scare away the monsters!”

Brian chuckled. He hadn’t heard her talk about monsters in a while – he wondered if she was even still afraid of them.

Leighanne smiled and kissed her children’s heads, before kissing her husband. “I love you.”

“Love you more,” Brian beamed. It felt great to be taking the kids out!

“C’mon Daddy!” Lenore insisted, grabbing his hand and trying to drag him out the front door.

Brian laughed and scooped her up, swinging her up so that she was sitting on his shoulder, Baylee still in his other arm.

Lenore laughed delightedly, as Baylee giggled into his chubby little hands.

Leighanne smiled, as she waved good-bye to her husband and kids, knowing today would definitely be cause for great memories.

~BSB~BSB~BSB~

Later that night, after bedtime stories had been read and little children tucked in, mother and father would preparing for an evening out. They had managed to get A.J. to baby-sit, though all he really had to do was watch T.V. and be there should either child have nightmares. But still, they knew he could be trusted and they’d be able to relax while out.

While they were getting ready, a little voice was heard. “Daddy?”

Brian looked up and smiled when he saw his eight-year-old standing in the doorway. “Yes, Honey?”

“C’n I stays up an’ watch T.V. with Uncle Alex? Please?” Lenore pleaded. “I’ll be really good.”

Brian eyed Leighanne, then smiled at his little girl. “Sure, Honey. You can stay up for a little bit.”

Really?” Lenore asked in shock. He’d never let her stay up before, unless it was her birthday.

“Yes,” Brian replied. “Because if I know Uncle Alex, he’d wake you up to play and watch T.V. anyway.”

Lenore giggled. “Uh-huh. C’n Baylee play too?”

“I think we’d best let Baylee sleep for a while, and if he wakes up later, he can play for a bit,” Leighanne piped up, before her husband gave their eldest permission to go pounce on their youngest.

The doorbell rang then, and Lenore was off like a dart, knowing just who was at the door.

Brian laughed, then smiled at his wife. “Tonight shall be fun. I’m glad we convinced Alex to spend the night.”

“Not as glad as I am,” Leighanne smiled, holding up her overnight bag.

Brian chuckled. He’d planned this evening quite well. He wanted to make it up to his wife, for always working so much and for pushing her aside when he shouldn’t have. “I love you.”

“Love you more,” Leighanne smiled, kissing him, as they heard Lenore announcing her uncle’s arrival from downstairs. “She’s definitely your child, exuberant and noisy.”

Brian laughed, as he grabbed their bags and took hold of his wife’s hand, leading her downstairs to begin their night. He couldn’t wait to romance her once more! And romance her he would – forever. Never again would he neglect his family - never.

You got to go, got to run
Take a break and have some fun
Those that love you most
Say you've come far
Got Some New Priorities by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
This chapter is the shortest one ever. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lenore & story idea. BSB, Leighanne, Baylee, & Johnny Wright all own themselves. Song is Busy Man by Billy Ray Cyrus. Thank-you!

Got some new priorities
In that schedule that you keep
And when you say that time's a-wasting
Now you know how right you are
Busy man

Months have gone by, and still Brian plays and laughs with his family. Him and the other three Boys are back on tour, but he’s brought his family along – hiring a tutor for Lenore. He wanted them as close as possible, so he wouldn’t miss out on a thing! He’d even started carrying his camcorder everywhere again.

Leighanne is thrilled to have the husband she once knew and loved back. She enjoys every minute of every day, even if they are on tour. She enjoys it because she has her family with her, and her children and beyond happy to have their father around once more.

Lenore and Baylee are usually always smiling and laughing, very happy to be on tour with their Daddy and Uncles. They especially enjoy sound check, when they get to go out on stage with the Boys and sing and dance as well. Lenore has even begun to play the keyboards, wanting to replace her Uncle Kevin if she can.

Busy man...
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=7968