The Story by honey
Summary: When best friends Natalie and Avery are crossed in love they decide to escape. The "No Boy Drama" vacation turns into anything but when they run into the Backstreet Boys!




Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group, Nick
Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 61287 Read: 40050 Published: 09/25/06 Updated: 10/02/06

1. Chapter 1 by honey

2. Chapter 2 by honey

3. Chapter 3 by honey

4. Chapter 4 by honey

5. Chapter 5 by honey

6. Chapter 6 by honey

7. Chapter 7 by honey

8. Chapter 8 by honey

9. Chapter 9 by honey

10. Chapter 10 by honey

11. Chapter 11 by honey

12. Chapter 12 by honey

13. Chapter 13 by honey

14. Chapter 14 by honey

15. Chapter 15 by honey

16. Chapter 16 by honey

17. Chapter 17 by honey

18. Chapter 18 by honey

19. Chapter 19 by honey

20. Chapter 20 by honey

21. Chapter 21 by honey

22. Chapter 22 by honey

23. Chapter 23 by honey

24. Chapter 24 by honey

25. Chapter 25 by honey

Chapter 1 by honey
Author's Notes:
*This was my first fanfic ever. I wrote it in like 1998, but I figured what the hell, may as well post it. It's a little cheesy but its fun! I wrote it with the help of my best friend. We never did come up with a title for it and for years just refered to it as "The Story" so now it just wouldnd feel right calling it anything else. While it's not my best work, it still has a special place in my heart so I hope you enjoy it!
Chapter 1.

My Story begins in the little town of Canton, Michigan, at a place called Kid Kingdom. Winters are very busy times at a children’s indoor play-park. Natalie however, sat behind the front counter chipping away at the nail polish on her fingers. She looked up when she heard banging against the front door. She laughed as she watched an old lady repeatedly bang a shopping cart into the front door. Finally she got the cart inside. “I thought these doors were automatic.” The old lady complained, “You really should get them fixed.”

“Ma’am,” Natalie said trying to keep a straight face, “ The grocery store is next door.”

The old lady squinted in the direction Natalie was pointing. “Oh my goodness. I’m so sorry dear.”

“Happens all the time Ma’am.”

Natalie’s best friend Avery, watched Natalie hold the door open for the old lady as she pushed her shopping cart back outside. “She got inside this time.” Avery said impressed.

“Well I was going to stop her, but…” Natalie said laughing. The laughing stopped when she saw the look on Avery’s face. “Dude? What’s wrong with you? You look like you’re about to rip your hair out.”

“I have got to quit this job! I can’t take one more day with all these obnoxious brats!” Avery whined.

“How about instead of quitting your job, you take 5. I think I saw Brent’s car parked in front of the bagel shop.”

“Really?” Avery asked. Her frown turned into a smile at the mention of her boyfriend’s name. “He said he had to work today. That’s why I told Josh I would take his shift.”

“Maybe he’s on his lunch break. Go, catch him before he leaves.”

Avery headed out the door, “Bring me back a bagel!” Natalie said.

Avery walked down the sidewalk of the strip mall toward the bagel shop. As she passed the music store she stopped. She stared through the window at a huge poster of the Backstreet Boys. She looked around to see if anyone was looking, then she kissed her hand and touched it to the lips of the blonde band member. “Avery Carter.” She whispered to herself.

The clerk in the store looked up at her and she quickly ducked out of the way. She started to laugh to herself until she heard the familiar voice of her boyfriend, Brent. She looked up to see him walking out of the bagel shop holding hands with the girl that she and Natalie liked to refer to as “bagel girl”. Avery was fuming! She hid behind a mailbox and watched Brent open the door to his car for her. She hit the mailbox so hard that it hurt her hand. “Ow!” she yelled in a whisper.

Brent heard the noise and looked in her direction. To her relief, he didn’t see her. Avery sat up against the mailbox until Brent’s car was out of sight. She was so distracted that she didn’t notice the red firebird parked out front when she went back to work. “Avery, Avery, Avery! Paul’s here.” Natalie said jumping up and down with excitement.

Natalie was in love with their co-worker, Paul. She watched him constantly, dreaming of the day she would actually be brave enough to tell him that. She had the whole thing worked out in her brain. They would be at work and he would call her his favorite little princess like he always does and she would just say. “I love you.” He would kiss her and they would live happily ever after. Natalie started picturing the scene in her mind not paying any attention to Avery. “He’s cheating on me.” Avery said still stunned.

“I’m going to tell him today.” Natalie said still not paying attention.

“Are you listening to me? Brent is cheating on me!” Avery yelled,

“What!”

“With bagel girl!”

“Bagel girl? She’s not even cute. No way, you have to be mistaking. Brent would never cheat on you.” Natalie said.

“They drove off together!”

“Maybe he was just giving her a ride home.” Natalie tried to reassure Avery. “He’s super sweet like that.”

“I saw him holding her hand!”

“There could have been a million reasons…”

Avery glared at Natalie. Natalie handed Avery her cell phone. “Call him.”

“I’m not going to call him!”

“Call him.” Natalie repeated. “If he lies about it, then he’s cheating.”

Avery took the phone from Natalie and called Brent. “Hello?”

“Hey Brent.”

“Hey! Hey baby!” he said.

“Having a fun time at work?”

“Oh, you know.” He said.

“Are you on your lunch break?”

“No.” Brent said

“That’s funny, I thought I just saw your car drive by.” Avery said taking a deep breath.

“Wasn’t me.” Brent said nervously. “Must have been another red probe.”

“I guess.” Avery said disappointed. “Well I’m off in 20 minutes. Maybe I’ll stop by on my way home.”

“No!” Brent snapped. “It’s really busy here today. I wouldn’t be able to talk to you at all. Why don’t you call me tomorrow? We’ll hang out.”

Avery sat holding the phone. She looked at Natalie but didn’t say anything. “Hello? Avery?” a voice came from the phone.

Natalie took the phone from Avery. She yelled into the phone, “She saw you together. You lying, cheating bastard!”

Natalie hung up and the girls both sat stunned. They never thought Brent would do something like that. He always seemed so nice. “What is her real name anyway?” Natalie finally said breaking the silence.

“Jessie.” Avery answered.

The girls were still in shock. They didn’t see Paul walk up to them. He startled them when he said, “How’s my favorite Kid Kingdom princess?”

Natalie looked up and was lost in Paul’s beautiful smile. Her heart jumped. “I love you.” She thought.

“What brings you here on your day off?” Natalie asked.

“You.” Paul said and winked at her. Natalie and Avery looked at each other.
“Me?” Natalie asked trying to hide her curiosity.

“I have some great news and I wanted you to be the first to know.” He said very excited. Natalie waited, the suspense killing her.

“Remember a couple of months ago how you gave my number to your friend Emily?”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other confused. Natalie didn’t remember ever doing that. “Well,” Paul continued. “I was sort of hoping you wanted to go out with me, so I was disappointed when she said you told her she should ask me out.”

Natalie’s mouth dropped. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She never said anything of the sort. The only thing she ever said about Paul to anyone was how she was going to marry him some day. “Did you just say you used to like her?” Avery asked pointing at Natalie, trying to keep up with the madness.

“That’s why I was disappointed at first.”

“At first?” Avery asked.

“I don’t know how you knew,” Paul said to Natalie. “But I owe you one.”

Natalie and Avery stared blankly at Paul. “We’re engaged! You were so right. Emily is perfect for me.

“You’re engaged?” Natalie finally said trying not to look as upset as she felt.

“We’re getting married in June.”

“I can’t believe it.” Avery said.

“Anyway, I just wanted you to be the first to know. After all, you are the reason I found her.”

Paul gave Natalie a big hug and kissed her on the cheek. “Thank you so much!” He said somewhat giddy.

Paul left and Natalie and Avery sat at the front counter shocked. Natalie’s eyes filled up with tears. “We need a vacation.” she said.
Chapter 2 by honey
Chapter 2.

Six months later, Avery stared aimlessly out the window while two kids fought over who got the red balloon and who got the yellow one. “Knock it off!” Avery yelled.
The kids looked up at her frightened. They ran away crying. Avery walked into the back room where Natalie was filling up balloons for the day’s birthday parties. When she opened the door, she instantly smiled. Natalie was listening to her favorite Backstreet Boys song and the Backstreet Boys always made her smile. “You may have just stopped me from quitting my job today.” She joked.

“The day’s not over yet.” Natalie teased. “What brings you back here?”
“Brats! What else?”

“This is the 4th time you’ve had to hide today. If you really hate kids so much, maybe you should just quit.”

“Don’t tempt me!”

“No really, you’re even more annoyed than usual. What’s going on with you?”

“I went to the hockey game with Josh last night.”

“I heard it was an interesting game.” Natalie said. “So?”

“So, of all the people in the world we were stuck sitting 2 rows behind Brent and Bagel girl. He saw us and then he kept making out with her.”

“Ewe. She’s so not cute.”

“I know!”

“So why didn’t you make Josh pretend he was your boyfriend. You know he would gladly make out with you.”

“I thought about it.” Avery said. “But then Josh and the other guys mooned half the stadium. They had Avalanche Suck spelled out on their butt cheeks. We spent the next few hours at the police station.”

“I heard about that! That was Josh?” Natalie laughed. “So did you get arrested?”
“Actually none of them did. Apparently, the Detroit Police aren’t big Avalanche fans either. They let them off with a stern warning.”

Natalie laughed. “I can only imagine how that conversation played out.”

“Well I’m done thinking about it.”

“Here, help me with these.” Natalie said handing Avery a handful of balloons. The two of them headed toward the birthday party rooms. They began tying balloons to chairs.

“I’m done with dating all together.” Avery continued. “Ever since Brent, I just hate all boys.”

“I wish I could hate all boys.” Natalie said. “But I am eternally in love with someone I can never have.”

Just then, Paul had been walking past the party room and heard the girls talking. He was intrigued by the conversation. He stood outside the door listening. “It’s been 6 months. You would think I would be over it by now, but every time I see him my heart breaks all over again.”

“Just hate him. It works for me.”

“Yeah but Brent cheated on you. You have a reason to hate him. I don’t have a reason to hate Paul. Emily’s the one I hate. She’s the one who stabbed me in the back and asked out the guy I told her I was going to marry.”

“Good point.” Avery said.

Paul was shocked by the revelation. He stood by the door absolutely stunned. Natalie and Avery walked out of the room to find Paul standing there with his mouth hanging open. When they saw him they stopped dead in their tracks. Natalie turned bright red. Paul couldn’t stop staring. They all stood there in awkward silence until a voice came over the intercom calling Paul’s name. He walked away without saying a word. “It’s not that bad.” Avery said trying to cheer Natalie up.

“Not that bad!” Natalie said in a panic. “I quit.”

“You don’t quit.”

“I do. I quit.”

“Natalie you can’t quit. Who would be here to keep me from quitting?” Avery said trying to lighten the mood.

“I can’t stay here.”

“Come on, Natalie. Just finish out your shift then tomorrow we can call in sick. We’ll go somewhere for the weekend. Like a vacation.”

“Vacation!” Natalie said as if she were remembering something. A smile slowly spread across her face as she forgot all about Paul. “Did I miss something?” Avery asked.

Natalie smiled at Avery, a look of hope in her eyes. “What?” Avery asked impatiently.

“I was going to wait until your graduation next week, but I got you a present.” Natalie said smiling wickedly. She was up to something.

“And?” Avery said, “That made you feel better because…”

“Because I’m taking you on vacation as a graduation present.”

“What?” Avery asked surprised.

“Well, I’ve been working full time, class part time and my parents paid for tuition. I figured it was time to spend some of the money I’ve been saving up.”

“When?”

“Two weeks.”

“What?” Avery said again. “My parents will never-“

“Already cleared it with them.”

“What about work?”

“You’re gonna quit anyway.” Natalie laughed enjoying herself way too much. The look on Avery’s face was classic. “I’m just kidding. Debbie already knows.”

“You’re serious?”

Natalie nodded. “Remember that day? About 6 months ago?”

“What day?” Avery asked confused.

“What day?” Natalie repeated, “Brent… Paul…”

“Oh yeah, that day.”

“I was so upset that night that I almost applied for college at BYU. I thought I needed to get away. I got online and this pop up said ‘Need a Vacation?’ and so I clicked. Booked us a reservation at this little resort near Orlando Florida. It’s like cabins and stuff.”

“Oh my heck!” Avery yelled.

“Right on the beach. We leave the week after you graduate.”

“Oh my heck! Oh my heck! Oh my heck!”

“Happy Graduation.” Natalie said laughing.
Chapter 3 by honey
Chapter 3.

The next two weeks seemed never ending. Natalie managed to change her schedule so that she didn’t have to work with Paul at all before she went on vacation. She thought that would give her enough time to let the humiliation pass. After her vacation, she would be rejuvenated. She would deal with him then. Avery was so excited for vacation she couldn’t stand it. Natalie and Avery had to close with Josh and Marla the night before they were going to leave, but when they clocked in, Marla wasn’t there. “She’s got Mono.” Josh explained.

“Who’s covering for her?”

As Natalie asked the question, the door to the office swung open. Paul stood in the doorway.”

“Great!” Avery said, “As if this night wasn’t going to go by slow enough.”

Natalie forced a smile and then said, “Me and Avery have the Kitchen.”

The girls hurried out the door. Josh just looked at Paul confused. “What did you do to piss them off?” He teased.

The night went so slow. Natalie was in her own personal hell. Every two minutes she was reminded of Paul. His wedding was only a few days away. Natalie just couldn’t handle it. She thought the night would never end. But eventually, it did. When the girls were done with their work, they headed to the office to clock out. Paul and Josh were already in the office. The girls stopped outside the door. “Lets just make this quick. Go in, punch out and then get out of here.”

Natalie nodded. With a deep breath, she swung the door open. She and Paul made eye contact for a brief moment but she quickly looked away. Both she and Avery left without saying a word. They were almost out the front door when they heard a voice say, “Natalie wait.”

Natalie froze at the sound of Paul’s voice. Avery looked back at Paul and then to Natalie, “I’ll wait for you in the car.” She said and hurried out the door.

Natalie didn’t move. She didn’t say a word. She was too terrified to even look at him. “Natalie?” Paul said again.

Natalie still didn’t move. A door slammed loudly and Josh came walking past Natalie, “Have a nice trip.” He said as he left the building. Natalie and Paul were all alone. Everything was silent. Natalie looked at the front doors just steps away. She wanted to run but her feet wouldn’t let her. She felt a hand on her shoulder. “Can we talk?”
Natalie took a deep breath and held it in. She walked over to the bench by the door and sat down. She waited for Paul to speak. Paul sat down next to her and neither said anything. Natalie finally broke the silence. “I got you a wedding gift. I gave it to Josh since I won’t be there, so don’t let him tell you it’s from him.”

Paul smiled. “That was sweet of you. Can we talk about the other day?”

“Let’s just pretend it didn’t happen, OK? We’ve been friends for a long time. It’s OK.”

“But I had no idea you-“

Paul couldn’t finish his sentence. Natalie shook her head, “That was a long time ago. The other day, I was just… I have a lot going on right now.” She said.

“So what you said, you didn’t mean it?”

Natalie looked at Paul. She wanted to deny it, but she couldn’t find the words. She just stared at him trying not to cry. “Why didn’t you ever say anything? If I’d have known.” Paul sighed, “Things could have been a lot different.”

“Look, it’s OK, really. I’m fine. I’m going to spend a week on the beach. Relax, clear my head, and maybe, if I’m lucky, find a hot Florida boy to make out with. And, when I get back, everything will be fine.”

Natalie stood up to leave. Paul stood up and grabbed her hand. He ran his fingers through her hair looking deeply into her eyes. Natalie Held her breath nervously. “Is he about to kiss me?” she thought.

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!

There was a pounding at the door. Paul took a step back. He opened the door to find Josh, “Dude, I’m glad you’re still here. I left my wallet in the back.”

“Josh ran to get his wallet. Paul looked back at Natalie who had not even flinched. She stood there with wide eyes watching Paul. “I’m sorry.” He said. “I love Emily so much. I want to marry her and I would never do anything to hurt her, it’s just, I can’t help it.” He looked into Natalie’s eyes again and said, “I never completely got over you.”

Natalie couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Paul moved in close again. “Just one kiss.” He whispered, “So I don’t have to spend the rest of my life wondering.”

Natalie closed her eyes to keep the tears back. Her body started to tremble and she took a deep breath. Paul reached out, and with one hand, pulled her in for a kiss. Natalie didn’t know how to react, so she didn’t. When Paul pulled away Natalie said, “I have to go.”

She ran out the door and Jumped into the car where Avery had been pressed up against the window trying to see what was going on. Natalie sat in her seat wiping the tears from her eyes while Avery watched the lights inside flicker and turn off. Paul and Josh walked out. Paul looked in their direction. “What just happened?” Avery asked Natalie. “Because from here, it looked like he kissed you. Did he just kiss you?”

“I gotta get out of here!” Natalie replied. “Let’s leave tonight. We’re already packed, why wait till morning? Let’s just go now. ” She said again.
Chapter 4 by honey
Chapter 4.

10:30 pm. Natalie filled her car with gas and washed off the windshield. She pulled the car up to the gas station door and waited for Avery. She put a CD in the stereo. Avery came out with a bag full of gummy bears and Mountain Dew. “The trip has officially started.” She said buckling her seat belt.

“Not quite.” Natalie said.

She pulled out of the gas station and onto the freeway. She hit play on the CD player, and those 3 familiar notes chimed the start of the song “Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)” A chill ran through the girls. “Now the trip has officially started.” Natalie said smiling. Natalie and Avery screamed out the windows, “Quit playing games with my heart!” along with the song.

The singing died down as the girls started to get tired. After a while Natalie saw a sign that said to Columbus left lane and Cincinnati right lane. Natalie thought for a moment and switched into the right lane. Avery looked up confused and reached for the map. “Weren’t we supposed to go left?” She asked trying to find their place on the map.

“Yes.” Natalie said grinning. “But if we take 75 instead of 77 down, we go through Lexington, Kentucky. I thought we could stay there for the night.”

Avery smiled and the girls headed for Kentucky. They stayed the night and spent the next morning exploring the quaint little town. They kept saying things like, “I wonder if Brian ever sat her”, or “Do you think he ever shopped in there.” They eventually came across the only Long John Sliver’s Restaurant in town. The girls looked at each other and laughed. They had to eat lunch there. They both ordered hushpuppies and were having a blast. It seemed like they left all their troubles in Michigan. “We are going to have so much fun this week.” Natalie said.

“That’s right.” Avery agreed, “But, absolutely no boy drama this trip!”

The rest of the drive seemed to fly by even though they had to stop like every hour because of the obscene amounts of Mountain Dew they had been drinking. When they reached the Florida state line, they blasted Backstreet Boys the rest of the way. They were completely exhausted and were running purely on a mixture of caffeine and adrenaline by the time they had reached the resort.

The resort had a huge lodge for checking in, events, dining, swimming, and other various activities. The rooms were all separate. Designed like little tikki huts spread out down the beach. When the girls went in the lodge they began to notice that the place was empty. Avery looked around and frowned. “This is Florida, where are all the hot guys?”
“Where are all the people?” Natalie asked in reply. “Besides, I thought you said no boy drama this trip.” She added walking up to the front desk.

Avery smiled wickedly, “I said no boy DRAMA. That doesn’t include a meaningless vacation fling with some totally hot Florida boy.”

“Not me.” Natalie said, “I’ve had enough action this week to last a lifetime!”

Avery looked at Natalie surprised. “He did kiss you! I knew it!”

Natalie ignored the comment. “ I mean it,” she continued, “If I have to so much as meet a single guy this trip, I’m pretty sure my brain will explode!”

An older man standing behind the front desk, coughed suggestively to let the girls know he was there. He had a big smile on his face and was trying not to laugh. “You ladies checking in?” he asked.

Natalie blushed, “She’s had a rough week.” Avery said to the man.

“Well,” the man said, “That week is over. Let’s start this week off on a better note, shall we? I have upgraded you ladies to our presidential suite. It’s the biggest and the nicest one we have.”

“Thank you.” Natalie said surprised, “But you didn’t have to do that.”

The man looked at the girls and smiled. “But we’ll take it.” Avery said.

“How come you did that?” Natalie asked, “If you don’t mind my asking.”

“Well we sold out this week. Had to move some people around, and I remembered talking to a really sweet girl from Michigan who was having a problem with her boyfriend if I recall. Thought she could use a really nice vacation.”

“That was you?” Natalie asked a little surprised.

“Yes ma’am.” The man said with a wink, “The name’s Jerry. I own this place, and you must be Natalie.”

Natalie blushed and nodded her head. Avery gave her a weird look. She shrugged. “How are you doing dear? Still single form the sound of it.”

Natalie blushed again. “Both of us actually.” She said.

“I see.” Jerry said. “Well, welcome to my little piece of heaven. You ladies enjoy yourselves and if there is anything I can do for you, just let me know.”

“Thanks.” Natalie said again.

The girls got their room keys and headed for their cabin. “It does look like a tikki hut.” Avery said when they got to their room.”

“It’s the biggest tikki hut I’ve ever seen.” Natalie said opening the door.

“It’s the only tikki hut you’ve ever seen.” Avery said laughing.

The girls stood in the doorway absolutely amazed at the sight. It was the nicest place either of them had ever seen. There were two bedrooms, each with their own master bath. There was a huge living room with a grand fireplace and a wall-to-wall entertainment system with a sound system that played in every room, including the back patio where they had their own private hot tub. The girls felt like they had stepped into some crazy episode of lifestyles of the rich and famous. “This place is crazy!” Avery said.

“Let’s test the surround.” Natalie said throwing BSB into the CD player.

The girls ran around the place dancing while BSB played in every room. Eventually the girls settled down and went to sleep. They were feeling great the next morning. “Let’s go to the beach.” Avery said, “I want to see hot beach boys.”

The girls grabbed their towels, sunscreen, gummy bears and Mountain Dew, and they were off to the beach. When they got there, they were the only ones on the beach. “Where are the hot boys?” Avery said.

“It is only 9 in the morning.” Natalie pointed out.

Natalie looked at the water. “It’s so pretty, so clean.”

“Not exactly lake Erie, is it?” Avery laughed.

Natalie and Avery spread their towels. Avery flipped through a magazine and Natalie attempted to paint her toenails without getting sand on them. Just then two guys walked down to the beach and decided they would say hi. The girls didn’t notice they were there. The two boys walked up behind Natalie and Avery right as Avery said, “I know this is supposed to be a no boy drama week, but I have to know. Did Paul kiss you the other night?”

Intrigued by the question, the boys stood their quietly listening to the conversation. Natalie sighed. “Yup.” She said.

“Oh my heck!” Avery exclaimed waiting for more details.
Brian and Nick looked at each other wondering if they should interrupt. Natalie went on. “He told me how much he was in love with Emily and that he didn’t want to hurt her but he was still in love with me.”

“Oh! What a jerk! And you let him kiss you!”

“I didn’t let him, he just did it. I was shocked. I didn’t even have time to react.”
“Wait, he said he was in love with you!”

“Yeah, who knew?” Natalie said bitterly. “Anyway his exact words were ‘Just one kiss so I don’t have to spend the rest of my life wondering.’”

Nick and Brian exchanged glances. “What did you say?” Avery asked.

“Nothing! What could I say? I just left.”

“What is it with guys?” Avery said. “I mean he kisses you when he’s getting married in like 3 days, not that Emily doesn’t deserve it.”

Natalie shook her head. “All boys cheat.” She said convinced it was the truth.
One of the boys let out a tiny little laugh, startling the girls. “Sorry, did you just say all boys cheat?” he asked when they realized he was there.

Twice now, someone had butted in on her most intimate conversations. Natalie was so angry that she snapped before even looking at who was standing there. “What is it with people listening to private conversations?”

The boys stood there shocked. Avery stared in disbelief. “Um Natalie?” she said.

“Yes, I said boys cheat! And apparently they eavesdrop! Do you mind!” Natalie continued.

“Natalie?” Avery said again.

“What!” She said to Avery feeling a little better.

“I’m sorry.” She said finally turning around. “I didn’t mean it, I’m just-“ She stopped when she saw whom she was yelling at.

“Having a bad week?” One of the boys asked.

Natalie and Avery looked at each other, wasn’t that exactly what they said to Jerry the night before? “No,” the guy continued, “We’re sorry. That was rude of us to listen in like that.”

“Still I shouldn’t have yelled.” Natalie said.

“Hi, I’m Nick.” One of the boys said and held out his hand. Avery’s hand trembled as she shook it. “And this is Brian.”

“Hi.” Avery finally said.

The boys didn’t know it, but they didn’t need an introduction. The girls knew exactly who they were from the instant they saw them. They were Nick Carter and Brian Littrell, lead singers of their favorite group, the Backstreet Boys. Natalie and Avery were in shock.

Brian sat down next to Natalie and held out his hand. “Forgive me?” he said.

Natalie’s anger had been long gone, but the embarrassment only continued to get worse. “No, really, forgive me.” She said. “I don’t usually…”

“Alright then, we forgive each other.” Brian laughed and flashed her a beautiful smile.

“So,” Nick said. “Do you two beautiful girls have names?”

“Avery.”

“Natalie.”

“Nice to meet you.” Brian said.

Just then a voice yelled from off in the distance. “B-Rok! Nicky!”

The boys scrambled to their feet. “Are we late?” Nick asked.

“Must be.” Brian said. “I’m sorry but we have to go. Believe me when I say, it’s been a pleasure.” Brian smiled at Natalie and she forced a smile blushing again.

“BRIAN! NICK!” the voice yelled again.

“We’ve really got to go. I’m sure we’ll see you around again.” Nick said.

The boys took off in the direction of the voice. Nick turned around and said, “For the record, I’ve never cheated.”

"You've never had a girlfriend to cheat on." Brian laughed.

Nick quickly elbowed his friend and tried not to blush. Natalie wanted to die from embarrassment. Natalie and Avery waved goodbye to the guys and they disappeared as quickly as they had appeared. When they were completely out of sight, Natalie and Avery freaked out! Had that really just happened? They couldn’t believe it! It had to be a dream. They kept waiting to wake up, but they never did. It wasn’t a dream after all. They ran back to their cabin. Once they were inside they freaked out again. “Can you believe it? That was NICK CARTER!” Avery said all giddy.

She looked at her hand. “He touched me.” She said and kissed her hand. “I’ll never wash it again.”

Natalie plopped down on to a really big chair. “Whoa, this chair is almost like a couch.” She said, “We must have looked so stupid. I can’t believe I yelled at Brian! He hates me now, I know it.”

“Come on it wasn’t that bad.” Avery said trying to stay positive.

“All boys cheat?” Natalie said repeating the conversation in her head. “They must think we are total idiots.”

A worried look replaced Avery’s smile for a brief moment. Then she shook her head and said, “Whatever, we just met Backstreet Boys!” The girls laughed and all the sudden they were giddy again.
Chapter 5 by honey
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone, This story is finished but when I started reading it again I realized there are a TON of mistakes in it so I will have the rest of it posted just as soon as I finish proof reading it!
Chapter 5.

Natalie and Avery spent the next hour trying on every piece of clothing they brought with them. “We have to make ourselves as hot as possible. Jerry said this place is sold out. There are probably a ton of bleach blonde hoes here.” Avery said.

“Yeah,” Natalie reminded her, “But Nick likes girls with brown hair, remember?”

The girls got themselves ready and headed to the lodge for lunch. They did not see a single person on the way there. Once they got inside, they still saw no one but staff members. They sat down in an empty restaurant and ordered lunch. “For sold out, this place sure is dead.” Natalie said.

“Yeah, where are all the hoe’s?” Avery asked.

Just then Jerry came walking through the restaurant. He smiled when he saw them. “Ladies! Lovely to see you again. How’s the room working out for you?”

“It’s amazing!” Natalie said “We can’t thank you enough.”

“Kind of makes us feel like we’re superstars.” Avery added.

Jerry smiled. “I’m glad, and how’s the rest of your stay been so far?”

“Everything’s been great, but we’re a little confused, I thought you said this place is sold out. Where are all the other guests?”

Jerry smiled, “The conference room.”

“The conference room?” Avery asked.

“All of them?”

“May I?” James pointed to a seat. Natalie and Avery nodded anxious to hear the explanation. “Well,” Jerry began, “You ladies booked your reservation so far in advance that you were the first guests listed for the week. Just a couple days after you called, my Nephews called needing to reserve the entire resort. I told them that I already had a couple of nice young ladies booked for that week and they said that was fine, that they still wanted the rest. So, here we are. I’m sold out, but there are only 2 parties here.”

“They needed the whole resort?” Avery asked confused. “Why?”

“You must offer one heck of a family discount.” Natalie added.

James laughed. “Something like that. It’s for business anyway so they’re not exactly signing the check. You ladies should meet them. Their names are Kevin and Brian and they are the sweetest guys you’ll ever meet. They have some of the nicest friends with them too. If you want I’ll introduce you.”

“Sure.” Said Natalie thinking that he must have been talking about the Backstreet Boys. “We’d love to.”

“Lovely! Maybe I can get them to take you guys into town and show you around. I feel bad, this place isn’t exactly the place for young single ladies like yourselves this week.”

“Thank you,” Natalie said, “but believe it or not, we are actually enjoying the peace and quiet. After all, this vacation was about relaxing. Not boys.”

“I almost forgot,” Jerry said teasingly, “I would hate for your brain to explode.” Natalie blushed recalling their previous conversation. “We really aren’t much for parties or clubs anyway.” Avery said.

“Well in that case, we have lots to do here. Golf, horseback riding, snorkeling, surfing, sailing, scuba diving… We have a spa, and a health club, really nice pool and a game room… And, since it’s so dead around her, it’s all on the house this week. It’s the least I can do. “We don’t know what to say, you’re too good to us.” Natalie said.

“Yeah, thank you so much!”

After the girls finished their lunch, they walked outside and looked around. The place really did feel deserted. “So, what should we do first?”

“I don’t know.” Avery said. “My whole plan this week was to hook up with really hot Florida boys, but there aren’t any here. This place is dead.”

Natalie smiled, “Yeah, but there aren’t any really hot girls either.” She said.

Avery frowned, missing the point. “No hot girls… no bleach blonde hoe’s…”

Avery smiled finally understanding what Natalie was trying to say. “We have the Backstreet Boys all to ourselves for a whole week!”

“Exactly!” Natalie said excited, “All we have to do is wait until they come out of the conference room.”

“What do you think they’re doing in there anyway?”

“I don’t know.” Natalie said, “But we can’t just stand around here until then. We would look really stupid. We should wait until Jerry introduces us.”

“Good idea.” Avery agreed, “So what should we do first?”

“Ever play golf?” Natalie asked.

“Golf?” Avery repeated. “I think I may have played mini-golf once.”

“That’s a start. Maybe we should do that.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t. I suck at all sports.”

“Mini-golf is not a sport, and everyone sucks at mini-golf. That’s kind of the point. Besides, who’s going to see you play? There’s no one here.”

“Fine.” Avery said when she couldn’t argue anymore. The two headed up a hill to the mini-golf course.

“How am I going to do this?” Avery whined, “This shot is impossible.”

“You’ve said that about every shot so far.” Natalie said.

“I mean it this time. You go first.”

“Alright fine.” Natalie said placing her ball on the ground, “Watch and learn.”

Natalie tried to bounce her ball off of the side to make it go in the right direction. It would have been a great shot if she hadn’t hit it quite so hard. The ball hit the wall and bounced back at them. The girls quickly ducked out of the way. The ball hit the sidewalk and went flying down the hill behind the girls. Natalie and Avery burst into laughter. “I bet I’m the first person to lose my ball on a put-put course.”

“Nice one.” Avery laughed.

“Hey, it could of worked.” Natalie insisted. “You try it. Hit the ball right here. Just don’t hit it very hard.”

“Obviously.” Avery teased. She hit her ball and it skillfully made it’s way to the whole on the first shot. Avery’s mouth hung open. Natalie reached in and picked up the ball. “Genius!” she said handing the ball back to Avery.

“If you’re such a genius, where’s your ball?”

The girls burst into laughter again. “Guess I better go find it.” Natalie said.

“Looking for this?”

Natalie turned around startled to see Brian standing behind holding a golf ball in his hand. “You better quit sneaking up on me like that. I’m too young to have a heart attack.” She said

He smiled and handed her the ball. “Thanks.” She said.

“No trouble.” He said, “Although I am curious how you managed to get the ball all the way to the bottom of the hill playing a game of mini-golf.”

Natalie shrugged, not really sure herself. “You need some tips?” Brian asked, “I’ve gotten pretty good at this game over the years.”

“Maybe some other time.” Natalie said. “I think I’ve had about as much mini-golf as I can take for one day.”

Brian laughed. “Hey!” he said, “Why don’t you come and meet my friends?”

Natalie and Avery tried their best to hide their excitement. “You’re not busy?” Avery asked.

“Busy? Is this the kind of place where people are busy?”

“Well you ran off so quickly this morning.”

“That was this morning.” Brian said, “Come! Meet my friends.”

Natalie and Avery followed Brian down the hill to a basketball court. There were two guys playing one on one and another sat at a nearby picnic table talking on a cell phone. Nick was actually sleeping in the grass next to the court. Brian walked over to the table. The girls sat down with him. Brian introduced the girls to Howie when he hung up the phone. “Hi.” Said Howie, winking at the girls. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“How did you manage to find pretty girls in an empty resort?” said one of the guys coming off the basketball court.
“Lucky shot.” Brian said smiling at Natalie. “A.J., Kevin, meet Avery and Natalie.”

“Hi.” Kevin said while A.J. kissed both their hands.

“Am I glad to see you.” He said, “The boy to girl ratio was reaching dangerous levels around here.”

“Where you ladies from?” Kevin asked.

“Michigan.” Avery answered.”

“Just getting away for a week.” Natalie said.

“Nothing better than that.” Howie said.

Kevin’s pone rang and he looked at the caller ID. “Sorry, but I have to take this.” He said, “It was nice meeting you.”

“You too.” Natalie said.

Everyone sat at the table talking for a minute except for Nick, who was still asleep. Avery kept glancing over at him. Howie saw her look at him and said, “That boy can sleep through anything.”

Then, Brian stood up, shot the basketball into the hoop and said, “How about a little 3 on 3?”

“Sure, I dare you to try and wake up sleepyhead, over there.” A.J. laughed.

“2 on 3 then.” Brian begged.

“I’m game if the ladies are. A little co-ed ball would be nice for a change.

“Sure.” Said Howie, and they all looked at the girls.

Natalie and Avery exchanged worried glances. They were terrible at basketball. In fact, they never played. The occasional game of pig when no one was looking, but that was it! “You want us to play basketball?” Avery said.

“Um, we don’t really know how to play. We’re even worse at basketball than we are at mini-golf.” Natalie warned.

“That’s OK, we’ll teach you. You can be on my team.” Brian said to Natalie.

He looked at Natalie with those beautiful blue eyes and she just couldn’t resist. “Alright, I’ll play.” She said, “But I’m warning you, I really suck.”

Brian smiled, “Well there’s no way I’m letting you have both the ladies, so I get Avery.” A.J said.

Avery looked to Natalie and then to A.J., “I just don’t think I can do it. If it was anything else I would, but I don’t play basketball. At least not when people can see me.”

She looked back at Nick who was still sleeping in the grass. “I think I am going to sit this one out. You know, be moral support. You will have even teams then” she looked at Natalie, “Kind of.”

“Are you sure?” A.J. asked.

Avery nodded. She sat down next to Nick and the game began. Brian and Natalie against Howie and A.J. Natalie knew Avery was happier sitting next to Nick anyway. In fact Avery was dying! She was inches away from Nick Carter!

After they had been playing for a while, Howie lost his balance and knocked Natalie over. “Foul.” Brian said.

Howie picked himself up off Natalie and then helped her up. “I’m sorry.” He said.

“It’s alright.” Natalie replied, and she meant it! She really didn’t mind getting fouled by a Backstreet Boy!
“OK, you get 2 shots,” A.J. said handing her the ball.

“We could really use these points.” Brian teased.

“No pressure huh?” Natalie laughed.

“You can do it.” Brian said, “Just like this.”

Brian held the ball up and, swish! He made it look so easy. He handed the ball back to Natalie. She held the ball up and… nothing. She wasn’t even close. “Here.” Brian said.

He walked around behind Natalie and grabbed her arms. “You hold this one right here. You use it to aim. This hand is for support. It goes right about here. Then, you just look at the hoop and follow through.”

Natalie tried to listen to what he was saying, but he was saying it just inches from her ear. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. The guys just thought she was trying to concentrate, but she was really trying to control her excitement. She could barely stand it. As she breathed in, she recognized the scent of her favorite cologne. “Armani.” She said to her self and took her shot.

She still missed but at least he hit the rim this time. “What?” Brian asked her.

“You’re wearing Armani.” She said again.

“Aqua Di Gio” he said impressed. “How did you know?”

Natalie smiled, “I would know that scent anywhere.”

“Old boyfriend?” A.J. asked.

The smile faded on Natalie’s face. “Just a really good friend.” She said looking at her watch, “Who should be getting married right about now.”

She sighed and stood there, lost in thought.

“You missed the wedding?” A.J. asked.

Natalie took another deep breath, “I’m on vacation, I’m on vacation, I’m on vacation.” She repeated to herself. She pushed back her emotions and forced a smile. “Long story.” She said.

Remembering how upset she had been that morning on the beach, Brian changed the subject. He was pretty sure she was talking about the same guy. “We’re still behind.” He said playfully, “We can’t stop now. B-Rok doesn’t lose games.”

Natalie smiled, “You’ve never been on my team before.”

“We can take ‘em.”

“I haven’t even made a basket yet.”

“Then we better start playing again so you can.”

Brian threw the ball to Howie. “Your ball.” He said and the game was going again.
Avery tried to watch the game but her attention kept wandering to the boy sleeping next to her. Nick was, after all, her favorite Backstreet Boy and she was waiting for him to wake up. “Look out!” Brian yelled.

Avery looked up just in time to duck out of the way before A.J. came tumbling into the grass after the ball. Avery ducked and fell right on top of Nick who then woke up with a cough. “Hi.” Avery said, “Sorry.”

Nick rubbed his eyes and smiled. “For what?” he asked.

“Didn’t mean to fall on you.”

A.J. got up and helped Avery to her feet. “My fault.” He said to Nick. “Are you alright darlin’?”

Avery nodded and Nick stood up. A.J. went back to the game. “You’re not playing?” Nick asked Avery.

Avery shook her head and the two of them sat down at the table. “Sorry again.” Avery said blushing, “I didn’t hurt you did I?”

“If you did, it was in a good way,” Nick said smiling, “It’s not every day I wake up to find a beautiful woman laying on top of me.” He said trying to act like the little pimp that he thinks he is.

Avery tried not to laugh. Nick and Avery sat talking while the others finished their game. When they were done, they headed back to the lodge to get some drinks. When they got there they found Kevin. “Just the guys I was looking for.” He said. “Lou’s finally here. Meeting in the conference room in ten minutes. Apparently there is some kind of problem.”

“What kind of problem.” Howie asked.

“Don’t know but he looks pretty stressed, so don’t be late.”

“Howie!” Brian teased.

They all finished their drinks and the girls left them at the lodge and went back to their cabin.
Chapter 6 by honey
Chapter 6.

As the girls walked back to their cabin the sun was about to set. They tried to figure out what exactly the boys were doing here and what kind of problems they could be having. “I hope it doesn’t mean their vacation will be cut short.” Avery said, “I will be so depressed if they have to leave early. This vacation is perfect.”

“I’m sure they won’t have to leave early.” Natalie said not entirely convinced herself. “What should we do tonight? Want to drive into the city or stay here? I brought Jerry Maguire.”

“Let’s stay in tonight. Movies and Junk food sounds perfect.” Avery said.

“Hey let’s order pizza,” said Natalie.

The girls turned around and walked back to the lodge. They ordered a pizza, half pepperoni and half plain cheese. Then they went back to their room. They went into sleepover mode when they got there, blankets, pillows, and all the Mountain Dew they could drink. “The only thing missing is the gummy bears.” Natalie said.

“We can’t do this without gummy bears.” Avery said. “I’ll go down to the gift shop and see if they have any.”

“Perfect, I have to jump in the shower before the pizza gets here anyway.” Natalie said. “Then we will be all set for a Tom Cruise all-nighter!”

Meanwhile, back at the lodge the guys were gathered around a table in the conference room. “They had just received the bad news. “So,” Lou was explaining, “This is going to set us back at least 2 days, maybe 3.”

“So what do we do now?” Kevin asked.

“You don’t worry about a thing. James will be here tomorrow afternoon, and we will go from there into town to see if we can find a casting agency or something. For now you guys take the day off.”

All five of them stared at Lou in disbelief. They thought they were imagining things. Did Lou just give them a day off? That couldn’t be right. “Come again?” A.J. said.

“There’s not really anything you guys can do except wait now. We already have all of your solo shots. Can’t do any more without models, so… This is a beautiful resort. Go, play, relax and take a day off. You guys deserve it.”

They boys sat in silence afraid if they said anything, that he would take it back. Lou smiled, “No wake up call tomorrow boys.” He said getting up from the table, “but I have to be going now. I’m not as lucky as you.”

Lou left the room and the boys sat around the table looking at each other. “Did that really just happen?” Nick asked.

“I think so.” Kevin said.

“Sweet!” Nick said, “Who’s up for some x-box?”

“Dude! You owe me a rematch.” Brian said.

Kevin, Howie, and A.J. shook their heads. “You boys and your video games.” Kevin said.

“Let’s go play some pool.” A.J. said and Howie nodded.

Kevin shook his head and said, “I think I’m going to go back to my room and take a nap, I’ll catch up with you guys in a while.”

A.J. and Howie walked off in the direction of the pool hall and Kevin, Nick and Brian walked back through the main lobby. “Uncle Jerry!” Kevin said when they saw him going out the front door. “You still here?”

“Oh man, that smells good!” Brian said referring to the pizza he was holding.

“One last thing before I take off for the evening.” He said holding up the pizza.

“You’re gonna eat it all by yourself?”

“No, I’m going to drop it off.” He said.

“Who’s it for? If it’s for Lou, I want a slice.”

“It’s for a couple of the sweetest girls in the world. The only other guests here right now.”

“You mean Natalie and Avery?” Nick asked.

“So you have met them?”

“It’s not tofu is it?” Kevin asked.

“Pepperoni and cheese.” Jerry replied.

“Girls who eat pizza?” Brian asked confused.

“They’re cute too. You should meet them.” Jerry said smiling. “I feel bad for them. They came all this way and ended up in an empty resort.”

“Maybe they need company.” Nick said.

“Maybe they need help eating that pizza.” Brian said. The others stared at him. “What?” he shrugged, “I love pizza.”

Jerry handed Brian the pizza. “Why don’t you take it over there for me. Maybe they’ll share it with you.”

The boys looked at each other and headed to the presidential suite.

Back in the cabin, Natalie had just slipped out of the shower and into her nightgown. She had put on a facemask when she heard a knock at the door. Since Avery wasn’t back from the gift shop, Natalie assumed it was her. She was really caught off guard when she opened the door and saw Brian holding a pizza with Nick standing right next to him. She stood there surprised. Brian stood there surprised to see Natalie in a nighty. He swallowed a lump in his throat. Nick stared at the mask. “What’s that?” he asked Natalie, pointing at her face.

“Huh?” Natalie said startled.

“On your face?” Nick said.

Natalie reached up and realized she was still wearing a mask. “Did we come at a bad time?” Brian asked.

“Uh, no.” Natalie said asking her head, “I just wasn’t expecting…”

“We brought you your pizza.” Brian said holding up the box.

“Thanks.” Natalie said still a little flustered.

“We came to see what you’re up to tonight, but if you’re busy we’ll go.”

“Oh no.” Natalie interrupted, “I mean, we would love some company.”

Natalie stood there trying no to freak out. Brian Littrell was standing on her doorstep wanting to hang out! She wanted to pinch herself just incase, but she couldn’t seem to move. Brian and Nick stood outside. “So, can we come in?” Nick asked.

Natalie snapped out of her trance. “Of course!” she said jumping out of the way.
Brian and Nick walked in and looked around. “I think Jerry’s been holding out on us.” Nick said checking out the entertainment in the front room. “I’m sleeping in a hotel room. This is a palace.”

“Nice place.” Brian agreed.

“It was so nice of Jerry to put us in here. I think he feels bad about the place being so empty. But it’s not that empty, really. I mean, we’ve run into you 3 times today. That’s all the company we need. We’re not much for big crowds.” Natalie explained.

“Where’s Avery?” Nick asked looking around.

“She went looking for gummy bears. You can’t watch a movie without gummy bears.”

“So what are you guys doing tonight?” Brian asked.

“Pizza, movies, and pajamas? Sleepover.” Nick said. “My sisters have them all the time.”

“I’ve heard of those.” Brian teased. “Am I too late for the pillow fight?”

Natalie just smiled still a little too flustered to think straight. “You guys make yourselves comfy. I’m just going to…”

She pointed to the bedroom. She went into her bathroom to wash off her face. Brian and Nick checked out the room. Brian picked up the remote and turned on the TV. “High def and surround, nice!”

Nick opened a CD case that was lying on the floor next to the stereo. “I wonder if they have anything good?” he said. “Whoa, didn’t see that coming.”

“What?” Brian asked.

“Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr., Bing Crosby…”

“Classic taste.”

“Here we go.” Nick continued, “Ben Folds 5, Our Lady Peace, Stroke 9. They like rock.”

Brian laughed. “It’s no wonder they don’t know who we are. They’re not exactly our demographic.”

“You have to admit,” Nick said, “It was kind of nice having normal conversations for once.”

“Yeah,” Brian agreed, “It’s nice to Brian and not ‘That Backstreet Boy’ for a change.”

Nick flipped the page again, “Now that’s what I’m talking about! Steve Miller Band and Journey. These girls are awesome.”

“There is something different about them, but I can’t figure it out.” Brian said.

“Hey, check it out.” Nick said holding up the CD case. The last few pages were filled with every Backstreet Boys CD ever released. “Are those our Canadian albums?” Brian said surprised.

Nick nodded his head. “I wonder why they didn’t recognizes us.”

Brian laughed. “They have every CD we’ve ever released in there. They know who we are. I just wonder why they didn’t say anything. You should turn one on, see what she does when she comes back.”

Nick put in one of the Canadian albums. “I haven’t heard this one in a long time.”

The music began to play. Nick hit the wrong button and the music played throughout the whole cabin. Natalie came out of her room and out of habit yelled, “Hey Avery, skip it to number 9!”

Nick and Brian exchanged confused looks as Natalie walked back into the front room. It wasn’t until she saw them that she realized what was going on. Nick said, “Which one is number 9?”

He skipped through the tracks and played the ninth song. “It’s my favorite.” Natalie said blushing.

The song “That’s What She Said” started playing. Brian looked at Natalie surprised. He seemed to get lost in his thoughts. Nick looked at Brian, almost like he was expecting something to happen. Natalie wondered what was going on. She broke the silence, “I’ve always wondered if singers listen to their own stuff.” She said.

“You do know who we are.” Nick said.

Natalie nodded her head. “Why didn’t you say anything?” Nick asked.

“Why didn’t you?” Natalie replied. “I guess we just figured that you get tired of talking about it. We wanted to meet you. Not the Backstreet Boys.”

“We didn’t mean to be so surprised,” Nick said, “It’s just that, well, that doesn’t happen very often.”

“I can imagine, but we must have not been too far off since none of you mentioned it.” Natalie said and smiled at Nick. “Anyway, now that’s out of the way, where’s Avery? She should be back by now.”

Nick put the CD back in its case. He wrinkled his nose as he looked at his picture on the CD. “Do you have a favorite?” he asked Natalie.

“A favorite what?” Natalie asked.

“Backstreet Boy.” Nick replied.

Natalie smiled devilishly, “Every Backstreet fan has a favorite boy.”

“Who’s yours?”

Natalie shook her head. “I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you.”

Just then there was a knock at the door. Natalie opened it and Avery walked into the kitchen. She didn’t see Nick and Brian. “Forgot my key.” She said, “Sorry it took so long, I kind of got lost on the way back. Avery dumped out a bag full of gummy bears onto the kitchen table. “Nice.” Natalie said.

“You have to see this.” Avery said holding up what looked like a rolled up poster. “There was a whole bunch of Backstreet stuff in the gift shop. They had this poster of my Nicky, I just couldn’t resist.”

Natalie cleared her throat to get Avery’s attention. She glared at Avery and nodded her head toward the boys sitting in the other room. Avery’s mouth dropped. She must have turned 8 different shades of red. “Oh my heck!” she whispered. “What do I do?”

Natalie shook her head. She had no idea. She was almost as nervous as Avery. The girls turned around to face Nick and Brian. Nick just smiled awkwardly while Brian failed at his attempts not to laugh. “I guess we know who Avery’s favorite is.” He said.

Avery blushed even more. She wanted to die! She looked at Natalie with a confused look asking her if she had told them. “P.S. They know we know. They found my CD’s.”

“Hi.” Avery finally said.

“We came by to see if you wanted to hang out tonight.” Brian said.

Avery nodded still not able to look at Nick. “You going to watch the movie with us?” she asked.

“We have lots of pizza.” Natalie said.

“And gummy bears?” Brian said looking at the pile of candy on the table.

“Pizza and a movie sounds perfect.” Nick said.

Now that the awkward moment had passed, everyone was able to relax a little bit. Natalie dished up the pizza while Avery put the gummy bears in a big bowl. “We got pepperoni and plain cheese.” Natalie said.

“I love pepperoni.” Brian replied.

“And you?” Natalie asked Nick.

“Nope, for me it has to be cheese. Definitely cheese.”

“How about you Chris? Oh, wait. I forgot. You don’t eat meat.”

“You’re a vegetarian?” asked Nick.

“No!” Avery protested, “I like pork chops.”

Nick was sitting in the really big chair and Brian was sitting on the couch when the girls walked into the room. Natalie sat at the other end of the couch and Avery turned on the movie. “What movie are we watching?” Nick asked.

“Jerry Maguire.” Natalie answered, “Ever seen it?”

Both Nick and Brian shook their heads. “It’s Tom Cruise.” Avery said all giddy.
“You better watch out, Nicky. It sounds like you might have some competition.” Brian teased.

“Avery has a huge thing for Tom Cruise.” Natalie explained.

“I love him.” Avery accidentally said out loud.

“But it’s really a great movie too.” Natalie assured them.

Avery turned on the movie. She looked over at Brian and Natalie on the couch and then started to sit on the floor. “There’s plenty of room here.” Brian said patting the couch next to him.

“You could come sit with me.” Nick chimed in, “It might be a little squishy, but this is the biggest chair on the planet. And after all, when’s the last time you called him “My Tommy?” he said pointing at the TV.

Avery was so embarrassed, but the man had a point. She couldn’t resist and she cuddled up right next to him. “What about you?” Nick asked, “You have a thing for Tome Cruise too?”

“I love the movie,” Natalie replied, “But Tom Cruise really isn’t my type.”
“What is your type then?” Brian asked.

Natalie thought it was quite ironic that the man she based her type on was asking her what her type was. “Other than you?” she thought. “I don’t know.” She answered. “I don’t really have a specific type.”

“Sure you do.” Avery teased, “Lying, cheating, married, punks.”

“That is so not true!” Natalie protested.

“How else would you explain Paul?”

“Like you’re one to talk! Brent? Liar! Cheater! Punk! You have me on the marriage. That would take some form of commitment so, you know…”

“Whatever!” Avery said, “Truce! Let’s just watch the movie.”

They turned off the lights and the movie started. For a while they watched in silence. Natalie was sitting on the end of the couch closest to the TV, so she didn’t notice that Brian kept looking over at her. After a while, Natalie’s neck started to get sore. Brian saw her reach up and rub the back of her neck. “Is your neck bothering you?” he asked.

“It’s not bad, just sitting a little too close to a really big TV.”

“Come sit back here by me. It’s not as bad at this end of the couch.”

Natalie scooted back by Brian and sat sideways, putting her feet up on the couch. “Can you see alright?” Natalie asked making sure she wasn’t in his way.

“I have a perfect view.” He said looking straight at Natalie.

Natalie smiled nervously and looked back at the TV. As she settled into her seat, she reached up and rubbed her neck again. All of the sudden she felt a chill run through her entire body. She closed her eyes and took a long deep breath as Brian placed his hand on her neck. “Is this where it hurts?” He said.

Natalie was barely able to answer him. “Um, uh-huh.” She said, her voice shaking.

It literally took every ounce of her strength not to freak out. Brian rubbed Natalie’s neck for a few minutes but was soon caught up in the movie again. His hand came to rest on Natalie’s shoulder and his thumb rubbed the base of her neck. Brian hadn’t even realized he was doing it until Avery broke the silence. “Pause it a minute.” She said.

Brian was startled by her voice and realized what he was doing. He quickly pulled his hand back and smiled nervously. “Bathroom break.” Avery said.

“Me too.” Natalie said as she stood up and stretched.

“Hurry back.” Nick said to Avery, “You’re keeping me warm.”

Natalie walked back into her bathroom. She looked in the mirror and she saw that she was all flushed. She struggled to calm herself down. Avery stood in her doorway and mouthed, “OH MY HECK!”

“I KNOW!” Natalie whispered back.

Avery walked back out into the front room. Nick held his arms out and Avery sat down next to him with her legs across his lap. He held his arm around her almost cradling her. Natalie came out of the bedroom and grabbed a handful of gummy bears from the kitchen. When she came back into the front room she saw Brian lying stretched out on the couch. As she walked in the room Brian started to sit back up. “Oh, you’re fine. Don’t get up.” Natalie said.

She grabbed a blanket and started to sit on the floor against the couch. “Would you mind sharing that blanket with me? It’s getting a little chilly in here.” Brian asked scooting as far back against the back of the couch as possible. “There’s plenty of room.”

Natalie lied down on the couch with Brian and the movie resumed. Avery began to doze off. Her head dropped onto Nick’s shoulder. He glanced at her from the corner of his eye and smiled. He brushed the hair in her face behind her ear. “Eat your heart out Tom Cruise.” He whispered.

After a little more time had passed, both Natalie and Nick had fallen asleep too. Nick rested his head against Avery’s. Natalie had leaned forward and her arm was hanging off the edge of the couch. All the sudden, Brian burst into laughter. “Did you hear that? Did you hear that? That was funny!” He said not realizing the others were asleep.

The noise startled Natalie and she almost fell of the couch but Brian caught her. He pulled her close to him and left his arm wrapped around her. There was no way Natalie was going to fall back to sleep now. Finally the movie came to it’s, sweet, dramatic, oh so romantic, ending. No matter how many times Natalie watched this movie it always made her cry. She tried not to let Brian notice the tears in her eyes but when her nose sniffled, he looked down at her. “Are you OK?” he asked.

Natalie laughed. “It’s a stupid habit really. I don’t think I’ve ever made it through this movie without crying.”

Brian reached over and wiped a tear from Natalie’s cheek. ‘It’s not stupid.” He said, “I think it’s kind of cute.”

“Thanks.” Natalie said.

Brian squeezed her tightly. Again Natalie took a calming breath inhaling the sweet familiar scent of Brian’s cologne. She was reminded of Paul and sighed heavily. “What is it?” Brian asked.

“It’s nothing,” Natalie replied.
Chapter 7 by honey
Chapter 7.

Natalie turned off the movie and looked at Avery and Nick asleep in the chair. They looked so peaceful. She smiled. She threw a blanket over them. Brian looked at the clock. “I can’t believe they’re asleep. It’s only 10:30. The night is still young. There must be something we can do around here, unless you’re tired.” Brian said.

“I doubt I’ll be getting much sleep tonight.” Natalie said holding up an empty bottle of Mountain Dew.

“So, what do you want to do?” Brian asked.

Nick stirred in his chair almost waking up. Natalie shrugged and said, “I don’t know, but lets go out on the patio so we don’t wake them up.”

“You have your own hot tub?” Brian said when they stepped outside.

“Pretty cool huh? I’ve never stayed in a room this nice before.”

“Let’s get in.” Brian suggested.

“You don’t have a suit.” Natalie said.

“These are just basketball shorts. They’ll work. Go put on a suit and come in with me.”

Natalie stood there thinking until Brian took off his shirt. Natalie tried not to stare. (Or hyperventilate.) “Well I’m getting in,” he said.

Natalie smiled and disappeared inside. She came back a few moments later with a hand full of gummy bears. Now it was Brian who was trying not to stare as Natalie slipped into the water. “Gummy bears?” she asked.

“What’s with you and gummy bears? I don’t think I’ve seen you without them.”

“It’s stupid really,” Natalie explained. “I’m a little superstitious. They’re good luck.”

Brian looked at her curiously, “Are you in need of some good luck?” he asked.

“Oh no, it’s the opposite. I seem to be having good luck right now. These are so I don’t lose it.” She said tossing a couple on her mouth.

“And that really works for you?” Brian said skeptically.

“So far so good.”

“In that case, better throw some of those my way.”

They both started to laugh. Brian’s laugh turned into a stare. “I can’t figure it out.” He said shaking his head. “You listen to everything from rock to Frank Sinatra, you cry at movies and you think gummy bears are a lucky charm.”

“They are. So what is it you can’t figure out?”

“What is it that makes you so different from every other girl I meet?”

“For starters,” Natalie teased, “I didn’t instantly throw myself at you, take off my clothes and offer to have your babies.”

Brian laughed, “I don’t think that’s it.”

“No? Then you have me at a loss too.”

Brian ate a couple of gummy bears. “You’re wrong you know.” He said.

“About what?”

“Girls don’t take their clothes off for me… A.J. maybe, but not me.”

“They would if you asked them too.” Natalie said.

Brian looked at her curiously and asked, “Would you?”

“No.” Natalie said smiling, “But that’s what makes me different.”

Brian smiled. Natalie looked at him seriously. “Are you asking me to?”

“No.” Brian said embarrassed, “I didn’t mean… I would never… uh- not that I don’t – I mean… I wasn’t brought up that way.”

Seeing how flustered Brian was getting, Natalie couldn’t hold her straight face anymore and burst into laughter. When Brian realized she was only giving him a hard time he splashed water at her. “Brat!” he said.

Natalie splashed him back so he dunked her. “And I’m the brat?” Natalie said laughing.

“You started it.”

“That’s real mature.”

Brian and Natalie had a good laugh and then settled down. There was silence again. “Ok,” Natalie said, “Now it’s your turn.”

“For what?”

“To spill.”

Brian was confused. “You know 3 things about me that only my close friends would know, so now it’s your turn to tell me 3 things about yourself.”

“Three things huh? Let me think.”

“And none of that my favorite color is… stuff. I want to know something real.”

Brian thought for a minute and then smiled. “I got one. I am completely terrified of heights.”

Natalie smiled. “Oh, and, I love romance novels.” Brian added.

“Romance novels?” Natalie asked surprised. “Didn’t see that one coming. You mean like Danielle Steel?”

“All kinds, as long as it’s a good love story.”

Natalie smiled suppressing a giggle. Brian got nervous. “Look, you can’t go around talking about to anyone. The other guys don’t even know about that.”

“Really?” Natalie teased.

“I’m serious! They would never let me live that down!”

Natalie grinned and then said with a sigh, “Not a word. I promise. So, one more.”

“I think that one should count as two.”

“No way.”

Brian thought for a minute. “Ok fine. I’m single.”

“That doesn’t count. The whole world knows you’re single.”

“Let me finish.”

Natalie looked at him intrigued. “I’m single, and I have been since I was 17. Five years now.”

Natalie stared at him surprised. “Five years, and I thought 5 months was a long time. Wow.”

“Is that how long you’ve been single?” Brian asked.

“Me? No. That’s how long Avery’s been single.”

Brian was really confused. “You mean you’re not single? You have a boyfriend?”

Brian almost seemed disappointed. “No,” Natalie explained, “I’ve never actually had a boyfriend.”

Now Brian was staring shocked. “Never? But why?” Brian asked

Natalie shrugged. “I’m single by choice.”

Brian looked at her unconvinced. “Nobody’s single entirely by choice.”

“I date all the time. It’s just...”

Natalie hesitated and then sighed. Her smile faded. “That doesn’t look like the face of someone who is single by choice.” Brian said.

“Well, it’s not that I couldn’t get a boyfriend, it’s just that the only one I’ve ever wanted was the one I can never have.”

Are you talking about that guy?” Brian asked. A little startled by the question, Natalie just looked at Brian confused. “You know,” Brian said, “The one you were talking about at the beach this morning… The one that kissed you?”

Natalie was horrified. “You heard that?”

Brian just shrugged and nodded his head. Natalie turned bright red. She didn’t know what to say. “I thought we were supposed to be talking about you.” She finally said. “What’s your story?”

Brian smiled, “Single by choice.”

“And the reason you choose to stay single would be?”

“Well,” Brain hesitated. Natalie looked at him expectantly, “The only one I’ve ever loved broke my heart, and since then I haven’t found anybody that is worth risking another heartbreak.”

Natalie was surprised to hear a guy talking about some girl breaking his heart. She felt so bad for him; she just wanted to give him a big hug. Instead, they both just sat there in silence. Natalie pulled her hands out of the water and examined them. They were very puckered. Brian noticed the wrinkles and said, “Maybe we should get out before we make ourselves sick.”

When Natalie and Brian got out of the water, Natalie realized that she left her key in her room. “Locked out?” Brian asked.

Natalie nodded. “I could knock, but I would hate to wake up Avery and Nick. They looked so cute all curled up in that chair. Maybe we could get another key from the lodge.”

Brian and Natalie started walking down the path toward the lodge. A breeze kicked up and Natalie started to shiver. “My room is on the way, we could just go there.”

Natalie rubbed the goose bumps on her arms. “Sounds like a plan to me.”

Natalie followed Brian into his room and looked around. It was still nice but it was all one big room. It resembled a studio apartment. Brian handed her a towel and then disappeared into the bathroom. Natalie wrapped herself in the towel and then plopped down onto the sofa. Brian reappeared moments later wearing a dry pair of shorts. “You can put this on if you want.” He said handing Natalie one of his shirts. Natalie slipped the jersey over her head. It smelled like him! “It’s getting late.” Natalie said looking at the clock on the nightstand. “I think I’m going to have to wind down a bit if I’m ever going to sleep tonight.”

“Winding down sounds nice.” Brian said. He turned on the fireplace and sat down next to Natalie on the couch. She fought to control her excitement. She couldn’t believe this was happening. “There is nothing more soothing than the sound of a crackling fire. It’s romantic, don’t you think?” Brian said.

“Too bad that’s a gas fireplace.” Natalie chuckled.

They both stared into the glowing fire, “Good point.” Brian said shaking his head. “I have got to stop reading romance novels.”

Natalie laughed. “I think it’s hot.”

“Don’t you mean cute? Or sweet? …Or gay?”

“No, really, most girls love a guy who’s not afraid of his softer side. There’s nothing wrong with being a romantic. I myself am hopeless.”

Natalie jumped up. “I’m like Cinderella waiting for my prince charming to come and sweep me off my feet.” She said.

Brian smiled watching her twirl around as if she were actually being swept off her feet. “I thought we were winding down,” he said.

“You’re right.” Natalie said falling back to the sofa.

The two stared into the fire and there was silence again. “Man I really wish that fire was crackling.” Brian said. “It’s just not as romantic this way.”

“A fire is always romantic, with or without the crackling.” Natalie argued.

They gazed into the flames. After a minute or two of silence Brian asked, “Is it working?”

“Is what working?”

“The fire.” Brian replied.

“Is the fire working?” She asked still confused, “We’re sitting alone quietly by the light of the fire. It’s very romantic. Why?” Natalie released her stare from the flames and looked at Brian. Her tone turned playful, “Are you trying to seduce me or something?”

Brian looked at Natalie and smiled. “I meant, is it soothing? Are you starting to wind down at all?”

“Oh.” Natalie said quickly turning her attention back to the fire.

Natalie could feel Brian still looking at her. “Why?” he asked curiously, “Are you being seduced?”

Natalie looked back at Brian who was staring into her eyes. Everything was silent, but her mind was so loud. “Am I being seduced? You’re Brian Littrell! You had me at hello!” she thought. Her heart started pounding. Brian never broke his stare. Natalie finally caught up with the moment. “It would take more than a gas fire to seduce me. It would take some serious skills.”

“Skills? Let me tell you something, I got skills.” Brian teased. “More skills than you could handle. Single by choice, remember? You may not know it yet, but I am irresistible.”

“Oh, really?” Natalie laughed.

Brian nodded confidently. “All right then, if you’re so good, do it. Seduce me.”

Brian looked at her curiously. “Come on,” Natalie continued, “Let’s see these skills.”

Natalie pulled her feet up on the couch sitting Indian style across from Brian. “Ok, I’m a stranger. Pick me up.”

Brian smiled wickedly at Natalie. “Fine. But just remember, you asked me to.”

Natalie was intrigued at how confident he seemed. She folded her arms and waited for him to make a move. He sat there thinking for a moment and then looked at her, his smile fading. “I can’t do it,” he said.

Natalie sat confused as Brian got up and stood in front of the fire. “I can’t?” Natalie repeated. “That’s it?” she stood up and joined him by the fire. “All that talk and you’re not even going to try? What about all your skills?” she said laughing.

Brian looked at Natalie completely serious and said, “I can’t pretend with you.”

Natalie looked at him confused, “If I wanted to have a meaningless fling with some random girl I would just walk up to her and take her in my arms like this…”

Brian swept Natalie into his arms and pulled her in close. “I would look into her eyes and tell her how she’s the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen and how my heart aches to be close to her.”

He stared into Natalie’s eyes and ran his fingers along her face pushing her hair behind her ear. Natalie held her breath for a moment and although she was dying inside, she tried to resist. She smiled. “And the girls fall for that?” she teased.

“That’s why I can’t pretend with you.” Brian said, the look on his face still serious. He did not let go of his grip. “You’re not some random girl anymore.”

Brian pulled Natalie even closer. He held her face just inches from his own. Natalie could feel a lump in her throat. Brian showed a hint of a smile; his gaze impenetrable. She gulped. “For the first time in five years,” Brian whispered, “I’m starting to think it’s worth the risk of another heartache.”

He never broke eye contact. Natalie stood there in his arms, speechless. Her whole body was trembling. She was so nervous. She took a deep breath. Brian reached up with one hand to pull her in for a kiss the exact same way that Paul had done just days before. Natalie closed her eyes as she remembered the kiss. The vision of Paul made her start to shake. She could feel Brian’s breath and just as his lips were about to touch hers, she mumbled to herself, “Not again.”

Brian pulled back startled. He wasn’t sure what was more surprising, the tear running down Natalie’s cheek, or the fact that he almost kissed her. “What?” he whispered still kind of dazed by the moment.

Natalie just stood there frozen. She was trying to figure out what had just happened and not sure how she was going to explain it. Another tear rolled down her cheek. Somewhat terrified, she looked at Brian. He seemed so confused. “Are you alright?” He finally whispered breaking the silence.

“I’m sorry.” Natalie said, her voice cracking.

Brian smiled. “No, no, I feel like I should be apologizing to you.”

This comment took Natalie by surprise. “For what?” she asked.

“I don’t know.” Brian replied. He was surprised at himself. He only meant to play but the way he was about to kiss her was real. He wasn’t sure how things became so serious so fast. He somehow felt like she ad seduced him, not the other way around. He sat down on the couch, a little overwhelmed and still very confused. Kelly was crying and he didn’t know what he done to make her so upset.

Natalie felt really bad. “Hey,” she said laughing away her tears, “In all fairness, you did warn me, right?”

Brian didn’t know how to react. He just sat there like a deer in headlights. He was surprised when Natalie sat down on the couch cuddling right up next to him. She rested her head on his shoulder. Brian was so confused. He didn’t say a word but he wrapped his arms around her and held her tight. She was soon asleep in his arms. Brian just sat there running his fingers through her hair. For some reason he just didn’t want to let her go.

The next morning the sun was shining through the window, another beautiful day in Florida. Brian woke up a little disoriented. When he realized he was on the couch, he sat up and looked over at his bed. Natalie was still sleeping peacefully. Brian smiled to himself and then quietly got up to make a pot of coffee. He looked out the window and saw Kevin coming up the path. Kevin waved. Brian opened the door and put his finger to his lips. He pointed to Natalie. Kevin’s eyes grew wide and his mouth fell open. “Did you?” He whispered pointing at Natalie.

“No.” Brian assured him.

Kevin still looked confused. “Coffee?” Brian asked holding out a cup.

Kevin nodded and took the cup. Again he looked at Natalie sleeping peacefully in his little cousin’s bed. He couldn’t believe it. The two stepped out onto the front porch leaving the door open just a crack. “That is the girl we met yesterday, right?”

“Natalie, yes. But it’s not what it looks like! Nothing happened.”

Then what is she doing sleeping in your bed wearing your favorite jersey?” Kevin asked, “Not that it’s a bad thing. It’s really about time if you ask me. But, it’s very surprising.”

“You think you’re surprised!” Brian said, “It all still feels like some kind of crazy dream to me.”

“What happened?” Kevin asked impatiently.

“I’m not really sure.” Brian sighed, “I’ve never met anyone like her. It’s like she has some kind of strange power over me or something. I’m so confused.”

Kevin smiled at his cousin. “Tell me what happened and I’ll see if I can help.”

“It started form the moment we took that pizza to her last night. She answered the door in this little night gown…”

Kevin laughed. “What?” Brian asked defensively.

“I’m sorry cuz, I just usually hear this kind of thing from A.J. It sounds kind of strange coming from you.”

“No, no, no! It wasn’t like that. She had this stuff on her face. Some kind of cream, and it was like, I don’t know. She was just real.”

“Could it be? Is it really possible? My lonely little lovesick cousin has got himself a new crush?”

Brian stared into his cup of coffee. He was realizing that his cousin might actually be right. It was like the thought had never occurred to him before. “I can’t believe it. My hats off to this girl. I was sure you were a lost cause.” Kevin chuckled.

“How is this supposed to be making me feel better?”

“I’m sorry, you’re right. So, how did you get from that, to this?” Kevin asked pointing inside.

“That’s kind of a long story.” Brian said.

Kevin put his arm around Brian. “Then it’s a good thing we have the whole day off.”
Brian sighed. “Come on cuz,” Kevin begged. “I’m dying to know how this girl did in one night, what no one has been able to do in 5 years.”

Brian began to tell Kevin the whole story. Inside, Natalie opened her eyes slowly and looked around the room. At first she couldn’t remember where she was. She soon realized that she was in Brian’s bed, but she couldn’t remember how she got there. She sat up and pulled her hair out of her face. She didn’t see Brian anywhere. She rubbed her head and sighed as she remembered what had happened last night. “Nice going stupid!” she said to herself.

She got out of bed and stretched. She heard mumbled voices coming from outside. As she got closer to the door she recognized Kevin’s voice. He was saying, “She was crying? Why?”

“I don’t know.” Brian said frustrated, “I think she said ‘not again.’ But…”

Natalie cringed. She felt so stupid! She took a deep breath and opened the door. “Morning.” She said nervously.

Brian and Kevin jumped to their feet. Brian was so nervous he nearly spilled his coffee. “Good morning.” Kevin said holding out his hand. “Kevin.”

“I remember.” Natalie said and shook his hand.

“It’s nice to see you again.” Kevin said smiling at his cousin who just stood there. “Can I get you a cup of coffee?” He asked.

His calm manner made Natalie relax. She smiled for real this time. “No thanks. I think I’m just going to go back to my room and um, I don’t know, get dressed. I’ll bring this back later if that’s ok?” Natalie said pulling on the jersey she was wearing. Brian smiled nervously and nodded.

“It was nice seeing you again.” Natalie said to Kevin.

“Pleasure was mine.” Kevin said as Natalie turned to leave.

“Hey!” Kevin called to her, “Why don’t you and your friend meet us at the lodge in an hour. We’ll all do brunch.”

Natalie looked at Brian, “I’d like that.” She said.

Kevin watched her leave, laughing as she hopped away in nothing but an old jersey. “I can’t knock your taste.” He said and looked at Brian who was still staring down the path at Natalie.
Chapter 8 by honey
Chapter 8.

Natalie knocked on the door to the presidential cabin, still without her key. Avery opened the door jumping up and down! “Where have you been?” She exclaimed, dragging Natalie inside. “You’ll never guess what happened! You’re going to die when you hear it!”

Avery was so full of energy that Natalie forgot all about Brian and was excited to hear the news.”

“Where’s Nick?” Natalie asked.

“Oh my heck! You are not going to believe this!”

Natalie and Avery sat down on the couch. Avery began her story from the night before. “Ok, so last night,” She began excitedly, “We fell asleep during the movie right?”

Natalie nodded. “Well I woke up because I heard someone talking. But you and Brian weren’t in the room.” Natalie looked at Avery curiously. “It was Nick! He talks in his sleep.”

“Do you know what he said?”

“I don’t know what he said that woke me up, but I thought he was awake so I said ‘what?’ and that’s when I realized he was still sleeping. It was like he was talking to Brian or something.”

“What was he talking about?”

Avery smiled, “He said, what should I do?”

“What should I do?” Natalie repeated confused.

“Exactly. I was confused too. So, I asked him. What should he do about what? And he was like ‘Avery’!”

“That’s crazy. Are you sure he was asleep?”

Avery nodded. “I asked him all kinds of questions. He said how much he liked me and how hot he thought I was. He said he wanted to make out with me but that he was nervous. He thought he was talking to Brian and asked him for advice because he was good at talking to girls.”

“You have no idea how good!” Natalie said.

Avery looked at Natalie curiously. “Later.” Natalie said. “It’s a long story. So what happened next?”

“Well, I really, really had to go to the bathroom. Too much mountain dew! When I came back he was awake...


flashback
*******************************************************************
“Where are Brian and Natalie?” He asked.

“I don’t know. They were gone when I woke up.”

“What time is it?”

“Close to 3am. The last thing I remember is ‘show me the money.’” Avery answered. Nick laughed.

“Maybe they’re in the hot tub.” Avery said.

“Hot tub? This place has a hot tub and you didn’t say anything? We’ll have to try it out tomorrow. I love hot tubs.” He said yawning.

Nick looked out the back door. Brian and Natalie weren’t there. “They’re not out there. I wonder where they are.”

“They probably didn’t want to wake us up.” Avery said excited that she was now alone with Nick Carter!

Avery started freaking out. When Nick turned around she pretended like she was yawning. It worked. Nick thought she was tired. “I should let you get to sleep.” He said. “It’s really late.”

Nick started to put his shoes on. Avery wanted him to stay so badly. She gathered all her courage and said, “Maybe you should stay.”

Nick looked at her curiously. “I don’t really like being all alone, and this is a strange place.”

Nick smiled and took his shoes back off. “One condition.” He said.
“What’s that?”

“You show me where the bathroom is.”

Avery laughed and walked him through Natalie’s bedroom. “Whoa!” He said checking out the room. “I think this bathroom is bigger than my room, and a fireplace in the bedroom? That’s cool.”

“There’s one in my room too.” Avery said.

Avery went into her room and flopped onto the bed. She was so tired. After Nick went to the bathroom, he walked into her room flipping a switch that started the fire. The room glowed. “This is nice.” He said. He looked over at Avery, but she was already back to sleep. He smiled at her and then grabbed a pillow and blanket and lied down on the floor next to her bed.

In the morning the sun was barely even shining yet. The clock said 5:30.Avery sat up in her bed and looked around. She found Nick sleeping on the floor. She sat there watching him sleep for a few minutes. Nick woke up soon after she did. He saw her and said, “Good morning.”

Avery smiled. “What time is it?” Nick asked.

“Early.”

Nick looked at the clock. Then it was like a light went off inside his head. He got very excited. “Hey!” He said, “You want to come with me to the beach?”

“Now?” Avery asked confused.

“Yeah, this time of day the surf is great.”

“You want t to go surfing?”

“I haven’t been up this early in so long. Come on, it’ll be really fun.”

Avery wasn’t so sure about going surfing, but the thought of going to the beach with Nick was a little more exciting. Maybe she would finally see him without his shirt on! Avery agreed to go and they went to Nick’s room to get his stuff. Avery waited for him to come out of the bathroom in his shorts, but he came out still wearing a shirt too. Avery was a little disappointed. Does this guy ever take off his shirt? They were soon at the beach. When they got there, Avery spread a towel in the sand and sat down. Nick sat down next to her as she pulled out a magazine. “You’re not going to come in?” Nick asked disappointed.

“I don’t know how to surf. I’m not really that good of a swimmer either.”

“I promise to save you if you start to drown, and I’ll help you with the surfing.”

Avery was skeptical. Nick gave her a pout with those beautiful eyes of his. “Please?” He asked taking off his shirt. Avery was so excited to see his 6-pack, that she couldn’t think about anything else. Then, she wasn’t sure how it happened, but the next thing she knew, she was in the water. Avery was holding on for dear life to her surfboard. She couldn’t even sit up without almost falling off. Nick looked at her and laughed. “You have to at least sit up.” He was trying to explain.

He grabbed hold of Avery’s surfboard and she tried to sit up. Once she caught her balance, he let go. Immediately, she began to wobble. She almost tipped over. Nick grabbed her board again. “I told you I couldn’t do this.” Avery said.

“You’re never going to get out there like this,” he said, “Why don’t you come out on this board with me? That might be easier.”

Avery threw her board on the sand and joined Nick in the water again. He held out a hand to help her up. She tried to get on the board but they both ended up falling into the water. They came up laughing. “OK,” Nick said, “I have an Idea.”

Nick grabbed Avery by the waist and threw her up on the board. Before Avery had even realized what had happened, Nick hoped on the board behind her. “There that wasn’t so hard. Now all you have to do hold on.” He said.

Things got a little easier from there and after a while Avery was a little more comfortable on a surf board so she tried her own. She eventually tried to stand up. Every time she fell into the water. The two of them were in the water for hours. Finally, Avery stood up, and for a few seconds she was actually surfing! Nick saw her and was so excited that he fell of his own board. Avery saw him fall and then fell to. She ran to shore excited. Nick held out his arms and she jumped right into them. He spun he in circles excited. “Awesome!” he said.

“Thanks.” Avery said.

Nick put her down and they fell to the sand. “I need a break.” Avery said.

“Yeah, me too. I didn’t realize teaching you to surf would be such hard work.”

“I better quit while I’m ahead.” Avery said laughing.

Nick walked Avery back to her room. When they got there Nick remembered that there was a hot tub. “So how about we relax in the hot tub for a little bit.” He asked.

Avery didn’t have to think about that! The two of them got in the hot tub. Avery rubbed her arms. “I am going to be so sore later.” She said. “I never knew surfing was such a workout.”

Nick smiled. “How do you think I keep in shape? A body like this doesn’t come naturally.” He said half joking.

Avery tried not to laugh but she still blushed a little. They sat talking and flirting for a while. Nick scooted over so that he was sitting right next to Avery. “I don’t think I’ve had this much fun in a long time.” He said.

He put his arm around her. Avery held her breath so that she wouldn’t scream. “So,” Nick said nervously, “Other than Tom Cruise is there a guy in your life?”

Avery was surprised by the question. She looked at Nick a little confused. “Is there a boyfriend waiting for you back home?” Nick said.

“If there were he would definitely be pissed that I was sitting here with you.”

“So you don’t have a boyfriend?”

“No. Do you?”

Nick looked at Avery confused. Avery blushed realizing what she said. “Have a girlfriend, I mean.” She explained.

“Oh,” Nick said relieved. “No, I’m actually not to good with girls.”

Avery smiled, holding back a giggle thinking about him talking in his sleep. “Why not?” she said.

“I’ve been in the group since I was 12. We’re so busy; it doesn’t leave a lot of time for things like girlfriends and dating. I spend most of my time with the guys on a bus or in a hotel room.”

“I never thought about it that way.”

“On the bright side, I’ve gotten very good at playing video games.”

Avery laughed. “How come a girl like you doesn’t have a boyfriend?” Nick asked.

“I haven’t had one since Brent cheated on me with bagel girl.”

“Bagel girl?”

“Just some stupid girl that works in a bagel shop.”

“What a jerk.” Nick said. “Next time I’m in Michigan I’ll beat him up for you.”

“That’s really sweet of you but I’m over it.”

“You’re over it? Then why no boyfriend?”

Avery looked at Nick. “I’ve just been waiting for the right one to show up.”

Nick smiled at her and she looked away nervous. “You mean someone nice and funny and good looking who won’t cheat on you especially not with stupid girls who work in bagel shops?”

Avery laughed, “Yeah, something like that.”

“Someone like your Nicky?”

A giddy smile flashed across her face but then she panicked. What was he saying? Avery was nervous. She didn’t know what to say. She forced a smile. Nick looked at her. They sat there awkwardly and then Nick just kissed her! Avery was in shock! She melted in his arms.


*******************************************************************
“Wait! Wait! Wait!” Natalie shouted, “What?”
“He kissed me! Oh my gosh, he is such a good kisser!”
Natalie jumped off the couch filled with energy. “Oh my gosh. I can’t believe a Backstreet Boy KISSED you!!!!!!!!”
“I KNOW!!!!!!”
Natalie and Avery freaked out for a minute. “So what did you do? What happened next? Where did he go?”
“He left.”
“OK.” Natalie said trying to settle down, “Tell me what happened! What did you do?”
“Nothing. I couldn’t move. I was afraid that if I moved I would totally freak out, so I just sat there looking like an idiot!”…
*********************************************************************



“I’ve been wanting to do that since yesterday.” Nick said.

Avery just smiled.

They sat there in silence for a minute. It was really awkward so Avery said something to break the silence. “I’ve been wanting to do that for years.”

Nick laughed and the tension was broken. “I’m getting really hungry.” He said.

“Me too.”

“Let’s go get some breakfast.” Nick said.

“Maybe I should shower first.”

“Yeah, me too. Why don’t I go back to my room and get dressed and when you’re ready call me and we’ll go get something to eat.”

“It’s a date.” Avery said.

********************************************************************
end flashback

… “And then he left.” Avery said finishing her story. “I was about to call him when you knocked on the door. Why don’t you get dressed and come with us to the lodge.”

“The lodge!” Natalie said remembering that she was supposed to meet the guys there. “What time is it?”

“10:00 I think. What’s the matter?”

“I was on my way to get you. We are supposed to meet Kevin and Brian at the lodge at 10:30 for brunch. We’ve been talking for a half an hour! I have to hurry and shower.”

Natalie jumped up. “Wait.” Avery said realizing for the first time what Natalie was wearing. “What is that?” she said.

Natalie looked down at the shirt she was wearing and smiled. “Just Brian’s favorite jersey!”

Avery’s mouth dropped. “Where did you? Where have you been anyway?”

Natalie smiled. “It’s a long story. I’ll tell you all about it after I take a shower.”

Natalie quickly showered and then threw her wet hair up in a ponytail. There was no time to do anything else. “I called Nick. He’s going to meet us there.” Avery said when Natalie came out of her room.

The girls stepped out the front door. Natalie realized she had forgotten Brian’s jersey and ran back inside to get it. When she came back the girls headed to the lodge. “Now will you tell me how come you were wearing Brian’s shirt!” Avery begged. Natalie smiled.
Chapter 9 by honey
Chapter 9.

Kevin walked up to the lodge and saw a man standing on the porch screaming into a cell phone. “James?” he said to the man. “Aren’t you supposed to be in the city?”

The man flipped his phone shut. “I was. I held castings all day yesterday and all through the night. I think I’m going to have to go back to Los Angeles this afternoon.”

“What?” Kevin asked concerned. “What’s the problem? I thought there would be plenty of girls in Florida.”

“Oh, there are tons of girls in Florida. I must have seen over 500 in the last 24 hours.”

Kevin looked confused. “It’s not like we’re competing for an Oscar. It’s just a music video. There had to be a couple that worked.”

“Every single one of them was a six-foot tall, anorexic, bleach blonde with fake boobs! Don’t get me wrong, that’s totally hot, but it’s all wrong for this video. I just want a couple of extremely pretty, yet down to earth looking girls. I can’t use Barbie!”

“Alright, well, the guys are all inside. Come have breakfast and we’ll make a plan.” Kevin said.

Just then Avery and Natalie came around the corner. They were so completely engrossed in Natalie’s story that neither of them noticed Kevin and James standing there. “There were actually tears?” Avery was saying.

“I know. I’m such an idiot! But you know me, I’m always a little crazy when Paul’s involved.”

“But it wasn’t Paul standing there last night, it was Brian.”

“Don’t remind me! You should have seen the look on his face. I swear he thinks I’m crazy! I can’t go in there.” Natalie said starting to get really nervous.

She turned around to walk away. Avery grabbed her arm. “I think you’re crazy!” she laughed, “But you’re not getting out of it that easy! You’re going in there.”

The girls turned back around. “You have got to stop doing this to yourself.” Avery said.

Natalie sighed. “Look at me! I’m a train wreck! Man, I have got to get my emotional crap together!”

“That’s an understatement.” Avery laughed and looked up to see Kevin and some guy staring at them. She stopped dead in her tracks and nudged Natalie with her elbow. She forced a smile at the guys.

“You really should have seen the look on his face.” Natalie continued. “I felt so stupid.”

Avery elbowed her harder and she looked up. She forced a smile. “Kind of like I do right now.” She said.

Kevin smiled trying his hardest not to laugh. The other man just stared at them. “Ladies!” Kevin said cheerfully.

They both forced smiles again. “Hi.” Avery said.

“This is James.” Kevin said pointing to the guy next to him.

Avery waved and Natalie shook his hand. “Nice to meet you.” she said.

“Everyone’s inside.” Kevin said to the girls, “Would you tell them that I’ll be there in a couple minutes?”

The girls nodded. When they went inside, they found A.J., Nick, Brian, and Howie all sitting at a table. They saw the girls and they all stood up. “Good morning!” A.J. said to them pulling out the chair next to him.

Nick pulled out the chair next to him as well. Avery sat down next to Nick. A.J. smiled at Natalie. She glanced nervously at Brian and then sat down. She was a little relieved that A.J. asked her to sit by him, but she was still sitting directly across from Brian. She was so nervous; she tried not to make eye contact. Avery, on the other hand, wasn’t nervous at all. She happily sat down next to Nick who then put his arm around her. “It’s been a while.” He teased.

Howie and A.J. watched them a little surprised. Nick whispered something in Avery’s ear and they burst into laughter. “You two seem to be getting along just fine.” Howie said. Avery and Nick both just smiled.

“Where’s Kevin?” A.J. said. “He’s never the last one here.”

“He’s outside.” Natalie said, “Talking to someone named James.”

“James is here?” Howie asked confused.

“I think that’s what he said his name was.”

“Isn’t he supposed to be in the city right now?” Nick asked.

“Do you think he found somebody already?” Brian asked.

“I hope not. I’m looking forward to a day off!” A.J. said.

“I’ll go check it out. Howie said, standing up.

“Look who I found.” Kevin said walking into the room with James. James was staring at Avery and Natalie.

“Hey, man! What’s going on?” A.J. asked.

“Uh, well,” Kevin said, “Something’s come up.”

All the guys looked concerned except for Nick who was talking to Avery. “Um, do you guys need a minute?” Natalie asked noticing the looks on their faces.

“Actually,” James said hesitantly, “Uh, we’d like you to stay, if you don’t mind. I’d like to talk to you.”

This time everyone but Kevin looked confused. “Ok.” Natalie said wondering what on earth they could possibly want with them.

James and Kevin sat down at the table. Everybody waited for them to explain but the waiter came and so they ordered breakfast first. Natalie and Avery sipped on chocolate milk when Kevin finally decided to explain their situation. “Where do I begin?” He said trying to find the right words. “We’re not here on vacation.” He began, “This was supposed to be a business trip but we had some complications.”

Everybody was starting to wonder where this conversation was going. “You see, we are, um we…”

“You’re Backstreet Boys?” Natalie said figuring that’s what he was trying to say.

Howie, A.J. and Kevin looked at the girls surprised. “Yeah.” Kevin said.

Brian turned to his cousin sitting next to him and said, “Oh, by the way, they know.”

“Yeah they knew all along.” Nick said.

The other guys couldn’t believe it. “You didn’t say anything?” Kevin asked.

Natalie shrugged, “You didn’t either.”

“Well that may be a first.” A.J. said.

“That helps make this a little easier to explain.” James said.

“Makes what a little easier to explain?” Avery asked.

Kevin and James laughed nervously. “We need your help.” James said.

The guys all exchanged strange glances starting to figure out what he was up to. “Can we do that?” Nick asked.

“Why not?” James said smiling.

“It could work.” Howie said.

“Genius!” A.J. said.

Natalie looked at Brian. He was staring at her curiously. He smiled. “It’s a great idea.” He said.

“What’s a great idea?” she asked.

Kevin took a deep breath and then just said it. “We want you to be in a music video that we’re supposed to be filming this week.”

Avery and Natalie were stunned. He did not just say that! The girls exchanged looks of shock. “I’m sorry, what did you just say?” Avery asked.

“To make a long story short,” Kevin said, “The models that were supposed to be here, aren’t. James thinks you guys are perfect for the part. Well, not just James, I think he’s right.”

All the other guys chimed in words of encouragement. “It’s unanimous.” James said.

“Um, we’re not models.” Avery said trying not to laugh. She couldn’t believe what was happening.

“You could be.” A.J. said.

“You should be.” Nick said smiling at Avery. She blushed.

Natalie reached into her pocket and pulled out a package of gummy bears. Brian smiled to himself as he watched her pop a couple in her mouth like they were asprin. The guys waited for some kind of response. “I’m afraid it would cut your vacation short, but you would be paid of coarse.” James said starting to get nervous that they would say no.

“So what do you think?” Kevin asked.

They all stared at the girls. “Can you excuse us for a minute?” Avery said standing up and pulling Natalie up with her. “We’ll be right back.”

Avery and Natalie calmly found the nearest ladies room. Once the door was shut they started jumping up and down. “Oh my heck!” Avery said. “I couldn’t hold it in anymore. I had to freak out!”

“Can you believe that? They just asked us to be in a music video with them!” Natalie said.

“I know! We so get to be those girls. The ones that all BSB fans hate!”

“I know! I hate us already!”

The girls danced around the bathroom like idiots for a couple of minutes and then managed to calm down. They came back and sat down at the table. Nobody said a word. They just waited. “We’ll do it.” Natalie said.

“But we can’t promise we won’t suck.” Avery added.

“You’ll be great!” Nick said Kissing Avery on the cheek.

“Thank you girls so much! You have no idea how much this helps us.”

The food arrived and everyone relaxed into normal conversation. Natalie asked James which song they were making a video for. “It’s for a new song. You’ll like it.” He answered.

“So does this mean we don’t have the day off after all?” Howie asked.

“Yes, you can still have the day off. We’ll have the cast and crew kick-off tonight and we’ll start first thing tomorrow morning. So enjoy the day while it lasts because we’re going to have to make up for lost time.”

“What’s the cast and crew kick-off?” Avery asked.

“It’s a Backstreet tradition.” Howie said.

“We throw a party for everyone involved whenever we shoot a video, record an album or start a new tour.” A.J. explained.

“It’s fun.” Nick said.

“Kind of good luck to start things off with a bang.” Kevin said smiling at Natalie. She smiled back.

James said. “The crew should start trickling in late this afternoon. Party starts at 8:30, so until then, I don’t care what you do. Just don’t kill yourselves doing it!”
Chapter 10 by honey
Chapter 10.

After breakfast everyone decided to go to the game room to play a little pool. As everyone left the table James pulled Kevin aside, “Can you do me a favor?”

“Anything.” Kevin said.

“Watch them today?”

Kevin was confused. “In theory this will work very well,” James explained, “But these girls have never done anything like this before and we are telling a story with this video. There is a little bit of acting involved. I need you to watch them.”

Kevin was still unsure why he was supposed to be watching them. James tried to explain again. “This video is about realizing you’re in love, so I figure we take one of the girls and make her the ‘one of the guys’ role. And the other is ‘the girlfriend’ role. Now, Brian is the lead vocals in the song and Nick is the secondary. That makes Brian the one realizing he’s in love and Nick the one with the girlfriend. I need to know which girl I need in which role. I need to know how comfortable they will be with the guys, and, if we are going to be able to get them to kiss on screen. Hired actresses, that would be no problem, normal teenage girls might be a different story.”

Kevin looked at James mystified. Almost like he had just seen a ghost. Finally he smiled. James could tell he had something up his sleeve. “What?” he asked cautiously.
“It really must be fate.” Kevin said smiling.

“What’s fate?”

“Have I got a story for you.” He said.

He and James sat back down at the empty table. Kevin told him everything he knew about the girls already. How Avery and Nick are joined at the hip and how his crazy little cousin was all stressed out because he realized he had a crush on Natalie. It was crazy how everything was working out so perfectly. James couldn’t believe the coincidence.

On the other end of the lodge, the others found the game room. Nick and Avery immediately teamed off against A.J. and Howie. Natalie had stopped to use the restroom on the way and wasn’t there yet. Brian sat on the side watching. When Natalie joined them, she sat down next to Brian. “You guys can take the winners.” Nick said as Natalie sat down.

Natalie smiled and nodded her head. Avery took her shot. It couldn’t have possibly been any worse. “My guess is that will be them.” Nick said laughing.

“Thanks for the moral support, jerk!” Avery said hitting Nick on the arm.

“You’re right. I’m sorry.” Nick said hugging her from behind. “I’ll help you out next time. I know a few tricks.”

A.J. and Howie laughed shaking their heads. Natalie looked at Brian who sat quietly on the couch. It was like he was an entirely different person than he had been the day before. “Are you alright?” she asked him, “You’ve hardly said two words this morning.”

“Really?” he asked. “I hadn’t noticed.”

“That’s just it. I don’t think you’ve noticed much of anything today. You seem kind of out there. You sure you’re OK?”

Natalie handed Brian her bag of gummy bears, “Here,” she said, “I think you need these more than I do. They’re not just good luck you know, they also cheer you up.”

“How do you figure?” Brian asked.

“Because they taste so good.”

Brian smiled. “See, you’re smiling already.” Natalie said.

Both Brian and Natalie looked up when they heard Avery scream. “He’s tickling me.” Avery whined.

Brian looked at Natalie, “You want to get out of here?” He asked.

“Sure.” Natalie said.

Brian and Natalie left just before James and Kevin got there. When they walked in the room Nick was trying to help Avery line up her shot. Avery took her turn sinking the 8 ball. She jumped up and down excited. “I got one in!” she said all giddy.

Nick, A.J. and Howie all burst into laughter. The all put down their sticks. “What’s so funny?” Avery asked confused.

Nick put his arms around Avery’s waist and rested his head on her shoulder. “It was a nice shot.” He said still laughing, “But if you sink the 8 ball before last, you automatically lose the game.”

“What?” Avery said.

“We just lost.”

“This is a stupid game anyway.” Avery said laughing along with the others.

“I see what you mean.” James said to Kevin watching them, but where are Brian and Natalie?”

James and Kevin went off to find them. Brian and Natalie had walked down to the basketball court and Brian taught Natalie how to make a basket from the free throw line. When James and Kevin found them, Brian was trying to teach Natalie the rules of one on one. James and Kevin just watched them. Natalie sat on the side of the court taking a break while Brian continued to shoot hoops. They were having so much fun laughing at how bad Natalie was. “Some things were just meant to be left alone.” Natalie said giving up. “I’m afraid I will always be terrible at basketball.”

“So, what are you good at?” Brian asked.

Natalie stood up and took the ball from Brian. She took a shot and missed. “Nothing I can put in a trophy case.” She sighed.

“I’m serious.” Brian said, “So you don’t play basketball and we saw how you are at mini-golf.”

Natalie laughed. “I wasn’t exactly blessed with coordination.”

“So, what are you blessed with?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Natalie teased. Brian waited for a response.

“I’m good with people.” Natalie finally answered. “I tend to be that shoulder people like to cry on.”

Brian smiled, “Something we have in common then.”

Natalie blushed realizing that he was talking about her. She was so embarrassed. She opened her mouth to explain but nothing came out. “It’s OK.” Brian teased. “I told you I had more skills than you could handle.”

Natalie looked at Brian surprised by the comment. She smiled. “I have to admit you were good, better than I thought.”

“But not irresistible.” Brian said sounding a little disappointed.

Natalie thought about it for a moment, “No, no, you may have been irresistible even.”

“No,” Brian said taking the ball from Natalie. “I wasn’t.”

He lined the ball up with the basket- swish. “You didn’t kiss me.” He said.

Brian looked at Natalie smiling victoriously. There’s no way she could argue that. He picked up the ball and threw it to her. She smiled back and then looked over at Avery who was headed their direction with the others, “Natalie!” she yelled.

Natalie looked back at Brian, “That doesn’t mean you weren’t irresistible.”

Brian looked at her curiously. “No?”

She laughed. “Just because I didn’t kiss you, doesn’t mean I didn’t fall madly in love with you last night.”

Natalie flashed Brian a wicked smile and then threw the ball. Just as if she could make a basket with her eyes closed, the ball dropped through the hoop. She winked and then ran off to join Avery. Brian laughed to himself impressed. Then he watched her talk to Avery wondering if she meant what she said. James and Kevin had witnessed the scene but didn’t hear what they were saying. “This could actually work.” James said.

“Seeing them in real life is one thing, but how will they do in front of the camera?” Said Kevin.

“That’s it!” James said. “Real life. Why act when you don’t have to?”

“What are you talking about?” Kevin asked very lost.

“We film them when they don’t know it.”

“How do we do that?”

“Steve. We get Steve to follow them around with a camera. He’s filming stuff for a making of video anyway. No one will think twice about it.”

Kevin thought about it. “It’s worth a shot, assuming they cooperate.”

“But they won’t know.”

“That’s not what I mean. You know Brian. He’s not really going to…”

“So we play match maker a little.” James said.

He smiled and walked up to Brian. Kevin followed. Brian was still watching Natalie. “So, things going well?” Kevin asked him.

Brian jumped. “What?” he said realizing they were there.

“No more crying?” Kevin said laughing.

“No, no crying.” Brian said looking back at Natalie who was laughing at something A.J. was saying. He frowned confused, “I’m glad you find the situation so amusing.”

“Is there a situation?” Kevin asked.

“No.” Brian answered defensively.

Kevin laughed again. They all looked back at the group. They were all laughing and having a fun time. Nick turned to them and yelled, “We’re going to the beach! You coming?”

“We’ll catch up.” Kevin yelled. “The beach sounds good.” He said to Brian and James. Nick grabbed Avery and they ran off toward the beach. A.J. offered Natalie his arm and the two of them walked up the path arm in arm. “We’d better hurry and catch up.” James said to Brian. “It’s unwise to leave girls alone with A.J.”

Everyone went to get their suits on and then they all met at the beach. They all had so much fun. Howie had brought his video camera and caught the day’s events on tape. Before they knew it, the sun was going down. Everyone parted and went their separate ways to get ready for the party. Avery and Natalie went back to their cabin. They had only been their a few minutes when there was a knock at the door. “James!” Natalie said surprised to see him.

“May I come in?” he asked.

James came in and told the girls that his hair and make-up guy was here and that he wanted to do them up for the party. “You have to look great for your first kick off party. You’re the guests of honor tonight.” He said.

“Why not.” Avery said.

“Great!” James said excited, “Why don’t you get showered and changed and come up to the lodge. I’ll introduce you to George. He’s excited to meet you.”

“We’ll be up there soon.”

The girls got ready and went up to the lodge. They were surprised to see people there, not just people, but guys. Hot guys. They sat down to wait for James when a girl not too much older than themselves came up to them. “It’s nice to see other girls around here.” She said. Natalie and Avery smiled, “I’m Laura.- Wardrobe.”

“Avery.”

“Natalie.”

The girls shook hands and Laura sat down next to them. “You get used to it.” She said, “These guys always use a lot of the same crew. It’s kind of a boys club. I’m usually one of the only girls on set beside the ever trashy, oh so smart, wannabe actresses that show up. It’s nice to see someone like you around.”

“Yeah,” Natalie said, “I can see how that might get tiring.”

The girls all laughed. “So what do you do?” Laura asked.

“Huh?” Avery said.

“You know, lighting, make-up, stage tech…”

“Oh right.” Natalie said.

She and Avery exchanged glances. “I guess we are the, um ever trashy, oh so smart, wannabe model/actresses.” Avery said snickering.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!”

“Don’t worry about it. We feel the same way about models.”

Laura looked confused. “We’re not really models.” Natalie said. “I guess you could say we’ve just been discovered.”

“Sort of last minute replacements.” Avery added.

“We were here on vacation this week. Their girls couldn’t make it, so here we are.” Natalie said.

Laura looked stunned. “Whoa.” She said.

“In real life we host birthday parties for spoiled kids.” Avery said.

A man came up to them with a camera. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to overhear, but did you just say you host birthday parties?” he asked.

“A whole 8 bucks an hour” Avery said

“Plus tips.” Natalie added

“And now you’re the actors?” he asked. The girls nodded.

“That’s quite a story.” He said excited, “Would you mind doing an interview?”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other. “My name is Steve. I’m making a behind the scenes video for this shoot.”

Natalie and Avery sat there in the lobby telling their story to Steve until James found them. He dragged them off to meet George. When Laura found out he was doing their hair and make-up she insisted on helping. They went to where George’s trailer had been set up. When they were gone, James pulled Steve aside and told him the plan to stick to the girls like glue. Steve was really excited about the whole idea. Meanwhile back in the trailer, Steve doing Avery’s make-up. Laura went through her entire closet trying to find them just the right outfit. “I’m not wearing a skirt.” Avery protested when she saw what Laura was holding.

Laura attempted to change her mind but it was no use. Eventually Avery agreed to a pair of jeans and a cute top. “She’s not worried about impressing all the boys anyway.” Natalie said.

“Oh?” Laura said, “Do you have a boyfriend?”

“She’s married to Nick in her mind. Does that count?” Natalie said.

George sighed, “Me too honey.”

Natalie and Avery laughed. “All finished.” George said helping Avery out of her chair. Natalie sat in her place and Avery changed her clothes. When she came out of the dressing room George sighed, “Beautiful.” He said clapping his hands together.

Avery went to find Nick. George began with Natalie’ make-up. “So will you be trying to impress the boys tonight?” he asked Natalie.

“I’m done trying to impress boys.” She replied.

Natalie told George and Laura the whole story starting form the beginning. George was in tears before she was finished. “This vacation was supposed to be boy drama free.”

“Well you know what they say,” Laura said, “You never get over your first love until you find the next one.”

Natalie laughed. “It’s true.” Laura insisted. “I know from experience.” She looked at a picture taped to George’s mirror of the boys and sighed.

“You’re in love with one of them?” Natalie asked.

“I was, for years, but not now.”

“What happened?”

Laura showed Natalie a ring on her finger. “I found someone else.”

“Congratulations.” Natalie said. “It’s beautiful.”

“Thanks.”

“Is it hard still working with…” Natalie didn’t know which boy she was talking about so she just pointed to the picture.

Laura smiled. “No. He’s like a brother to me now. They all are, but Brian especially.
“Is he the one you liked?”

Laura sighed again. “I wanted him so bad, but he was always so emotionally untouchable.”

Natalie was surprised. Laura didn’t see the confused look on her face because she had drifted off into thought. “If I ever run into that Bitch…” She stopped. “Sorry.” She said snapping out of it, “I get a little overprotective. But he was so heartbroken.”

“Really?” Natalie asked confused.

“Yeah, I spend most of my days trying to play matchmaker for him now, but it never works. Sometimes I wonder if he’ll ever love again.”

Natalie was shocked. Was she talking about the same Brian who almost kissed her the night before? She didn’t know exactly what to say, “How sad.” Was all she could come up with.

“I just want to see him happy.” Laura said.

“Finished.” George said spinning Natalie’s chair to face the mirror.

Natalie grabbed the outfit that Laura had set out for her and went to change. Just then James walked into the trailer. “Laura! Avery said you were here. She looks great, by the way.” He said to George who took a bow.

“What’s up?” Laura asked.

“Where’s Natalie?” James asked.

Laura pointed to the dressing room. “Almost done.”

James pulled Laura out of the trailer and quickly explained Brian’s situation as he had put it earlier. She was stunned. “Are you sure?” she asked.

James nodded. “I didn’t believe it myself at first, but you should see him around her.”
“I can’t believe it.”

“Well you better because we need you to help make it happen. You know Brian.”

Laura was so excited by this news. She was determined to help James’ cause. She went through her own suitcase and pulled out a little blue dress. She knew it was Brian’s favorite. She handed it to Natalie who was just coming out of the dressing room. “I changed my mind,” Laura said, “You should wear this.”

Natalie changed again. “You look like an angel.” James said.

Natalie blushed, “Hi.” She said.

“We are fashionably late now,” James said, “Would you let me have the honors of being the one on your arm when you make your grand entrance?”

Natalie laughed but took his arm and they walked toward the lodge. As they walked away, James looked back at Laura and gave a big thumbs up. She smiled.

“So what are these things like?” Natalie asked as they walked to the party.

“Loud music, food, and lots of guys fighting for the attention of the few ladies present.”

Natalie laughed. As they walked through the lobby they ran into Steve. With the camera in their face he said, “So, are you excited for your first kick off party?”

“Well, I’m really not that much of a party person.”

“Looking like that? Are you kidding?”

Natalie blushed. She looked down at her dress and then took a spin for the camera. “I’m afraid this was not my doing.”

“Well you look great!”

“Thanks.”

“You seem pretty relaxed in front of the camera.” James said when Steve left.

“Talking to a camera is one thing. Avery and I are always making home videos and stuff, but I am so nervous about having to do it for real.”

“I think you’ll find it’s not a whole lot different.”

“I hope so.”

They stood at the door to the ballroom. “Ready?” James said.

Natalie took a deep breath. “It’s only a party.” She said to herself.

James and Natalie walked into the room and instantly several guys walked up to them. James introduced them to Natalie slowly making their way across the room. Eventually they got to Avery. She was sitting next to Nick and several guys were telling Avery funny stories about him. She seemed to be having a great time. When she saw Natalie she jumped up, “Isn’t this crazy?” she said.

Natalie nodded her head feeling a little overwhelmed. “Laura wasn’t kidding about there being not enough girls. I’ve counted 3 other than us and Laura.” Avery explained.
“Yeah, I barely made it across the room.”

“Thank goodness for Nick. He is refusing to share me. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure someone would have made me dance with them by now and I don’t dance.”

Natalie laughed at the thought of Avery having to actually dance with someone. “Thank goodness for Nick.” She repeated.

“Have you seen Brian yet?”

“No. Have you?” Natalie answered.

“I saw him a little while ago, but I didn’t see where he went.”

Just then AJ came up to them. “Which one of you fine ladies is going to dance with me first?” he asked.

Avery pointed to Natalie. “That one is mine AJ, don’t even think about it.” Nick said pointing to Avery.

Avery smiled really big and sat back down next to Nick. AJ held out his hand to Natalie. She forced a smile, “I’m not much of a dancer.” She said.

AJ wouldn’t take no for an answer and dragged Natalie to the dance floor. Across the room, Brian was standing next to Kevin and Steve. Steve had his camera pointed at Nick and Avery. James walked up to them. “We have really got to get more women on this crew.” He said.

Everyone laughed agreeing with him. “It’ doesn’t help that Nick won’t share one of the only available ones here.” Steve said.

Everyone looked over at them. Nick had his arm around Avery and was whispering something in her ear. “They’re acting like they’re boyfriend and girlfriend or something.” James said.

“Wouldn’t be so bad.” Kevin said. “They are kind of perfect for each other. We’ve all got to find one sometime.”

Steve took a step back and focused his camera on Brian. He didn’t notice, he was watching Avery and Nick. “She seems to be right at home here.” James said, “Natalie seemed a lot more nervous.”

“Looks like she’s doing alright to me.” Kevin said pointing to her and AJ on the dance floor. Brian looked across the room seeing Natalie for the first time that night. Kevin saw him stare. “She looks good tonight.” He said to Brian. Brian nodded. “You should go save her from AJ.” Kevin said.

Brian frowned. “She seems to be enjoying herself. You think she likes him?”

“She doesn’t seem like to type to fall for him. She’s too nice a girl.” James said.

“AJ doesn’t have a chance.” Came a voice from behind them.

Everyone turned around to see Laura. “She just had her heart broken.” Laura continued, “Told me the whole story. Tragic. She came on vacation to someone to get away from someone just like him.”

Laura smiled and put her arm around Brian. “Reminds me of you.” She said.

Brian looked back at Natalie. AJ was now introducing her to several other guys.

Meanwhile, Nick was starting to get tired of the party. “You want to get out of here?” He said to Avery.

“I thought you were never going to ask.” She said.

Nick and Avery ducked out of the party. They ran through the lodge and toward Nicks cabin. They didn’t stop the whole way worried that someone might stop them. When they finally stopped they sat down on the steps and laughed. “Was the party boring you?” Avery asked.

“I was just getting tired of sharing you.” He said.

There was a pause. Then Nick got a little nervous and stood up. “You want to go for a walk?” He asked.

He held out his hand and Avery took it. They walked down to the beach. They took off their shoes and walked in the wet sand, the waves brushing up against their feet. “It’s so nice here.” Avery said. “I’m going to hate having to go back to Michigan after this.”

“I’ve only ever been to Michigan when I was on tour. Maybe I should come up there when I get a little time off. You could show me around.”

“You would come all the way to Michigan to see me?” Avery asked surprised.
Nick smiled, “It wouldn’t be hard, I do have my own jet.”

Avery laughed. “That would be nice.” She said, “But I’m warning you, there’s not a whole lot to see. Michigan is so boring.

“I would really only be going there to see you anyway.” Nick said nervously.

They stopped walking. Nick stared at her wanting to say something. Avery smiled nervously. “What is it?” She asked when he didn’t say anything.

Nick walked up the beach and sat down in the dry sand. “Can I tell you something?” he said. “I was 12 when I joined the group. I’ve kind of grown up on the road. I’ve met tons of girls, but you’re the first one to treat me like a normal person.”

“You are a normal person.” Avery paused, “Aside from having your own jet.”

Nick laughed. “I’ve never met anyone like you before. I want you to be my first real girlfriend.”

Avery’s mouth fell open. She was in shock! She stared at Nick speechless. “I know you live far away and I’m gone a lot, but it could still work. I’ll come see you whenever I can. What do you think?”

Avery wasn’t sure she heard him right because there’s no way he had said what he said. “You want to be my boyfriend?” she asked.

“I mean, if you don’t want to, I understand.” Nick said.

Avery smiled at Nick and he knew the answer was yes. He was so happy he kissed her. This time she kissed him right back. When he pulled away, he smiled and said, “I promise never to cheat on you. I won’t even step foot in bagel shop ever again.” Avery laughed and they kissed again. In fact, they spent the rest of the night making out on the beach!
Chapter 11 by honey
Chapter 11.

Back at the party, Natalie was getting a little strung out being introduced to people and dancing with strangers. She hadn’t even seen Brian yet. The first minute she could, she escaped the room. She walked back to the lobby. She saw Jerry at the front desk. She went up to say hello. “How come you’re out here?” he asked.

“I had to get out of there. I told you, I’m not much of a party person. I really wasn’t kidding about liking things quiet.”

Jerry smiled. “Well you’re not the first to ditch the party.”

“No?” Natalie asked.

“Nick and Avery left hours ago.”

Natalie rolled her eyes. “I wondered. I can’t believe she left me alone in there. I think I’m going to go back to my room and soak in that huge tub. My nerves are shot.”

Jerry laughed. “You go relax then, if you need anything, just give me a call.”

“Thanks Jerry!”

Natalie turned to leave and saw Brian walk in the front door. “Hi.” She said.
“You look beautiful tonight.” Brian said back.

Natalie smiled. “Are you just getting here? I haven’t seen you tonight.” Natalie said.

“I’ve been in and out. I don’t really like parties that much. I was actually about to go to the game room. There’s a Miami Heat game on tonight and there’s a big screen in there. What about you? Were you leaving?”

Natalie shrugged. “Too much testosterone in one room. I had to get out of there. “Where’s your back up?”

“I don’t know. I’ve been looking for you all night.”

Brian was surprised to hear her say that. He almost blushed. “I was talking about Avery.”

“Jerry said he saw her and Nick leave hours ago. They’re probably making out somewhere.”

“You think so?”

“Did you see them in there? They were acting like a couple of newly weds. I can’t believe she ditched me.”

“You seemed to be having a good time when I saw you.”

“You saw me? How come you didn’t say hi?”

“You were with AJ. I kind of thought…” Brian didn’t finish his sentence.

Natalie realized what he was saying. “What? AJ? You think I…” she laughed, “He’s charming for sure, but I know his type a little too well.”

Brian was relieved to hear her say that. “You want to watch the game with me?”

After a while Steve left the party to find a restroom. He heard laughing coming from the game room. He stuck his head in the door to see what was going on. He saw Brian and Natalie playing what looked like a drinking game only they were using a pitcher of punch instead of liquor. “I think I’m gonna be sick.” Natalie laughed.

Steve ran back into the party and grabbed his camera. He came back and filmed them for a minute. Miami scored again and they both chugged. “Seriously. No more! I didn’t eat anything and I have dangerous amounts of punch in me now. I’m gonna get really loopy soon.”

Brian laughed, “You already are loopy! We can’t stop. It’s working. Miami is winning.”

“And you think I’m superstitious!”

“I’m not superstitious.” Brian protested.

“NO? Then I dare you not to drink the next time Miami scores.”

“Fine.”

Brian watched the screen and Miami scored. He looked at Natalie and didn’t drink. Natalie wasn’t entirely convinced. She looked at the screen. The other team scored a beautiful 3-point shot. Brian saw it and snatched his plastic cup chugging the rest of it. Natalie burst into laughter. Brian plopped onto a couch laughing hard. “I think you’re right. We’d better stop.”

Natalie laughed even harder. She joined him on the couch. They both just laughed and laughed. Steve walked up to them with the camera. “What’s going on in here?” he asked.

“Miami’s winning!” Brian said laughing into the camera.

“I didn’t realize basketball was such a high scoring game. I’m used to hockey. I have a serious headache.” Natalie said and started laughing again.

“Here, drink this.” Brian said handing her another glass of punch. “ It’s good for headaches.”

They both laughed again. Miami scored again and Natalie took the glass from Brian, “They better win.” She said raising the cup in the air and then chugged.

Natalie looked so sick. Brian was laughing so hard he fell of the couch. Natalie laughed through her stomachache. Steve shook his head. “What are you guys drinking?” he asked.

“Relax, it’s only punch. We stole it off the bar in the party.” Brian said.

Natalie laughed and held up an empty bowl. “We took the peanuts too.”

“You guys do know that the punch at the bar was spiked?”

“What?” Natalie said laughing so hard she could barely talk.

“There’s alcohol in it.” Steve said.

“No wonder it tasted kind of funny.” Brian laughed.

Steve watched Brian and Natalie laugh until they ached. They looked crazy. Natalie looked at Brian, “Did you get me drunk? I’ve never been drunk before.” she said and started laughing again.

“I guess there’s a first for everything.” Brian laughed.

“No wonder I feel so sick. I’ve never had alcohol before.”

Steve looked a little worried. He put down his camera. “Never?” he asked, “How much have you had?”

Brian held up the pitcher. It was nearly empty. They started laughing again. “Oops!” he said.

“I think we’d better get you back to your room.” Steve said, “It’s a miracle you haven’t passed out already. You guys should wait here a minute. I’ll be right back.”

Brian pulled himself back up on the couch. They started laughing again. Steve went back to the party and found Kevin. “I need your help.” He said.

When Kevin and Steve walked into the game room Brian and Natalie were making out on the couch. Kevin was shocked. “OK you guys,” Steve said, “I think you’ve had enough fun for one night.”

Natalie and Brian looked at them giggling. “Busted.” Brian said and they burst into laughter again.

Kevin just stared at them, “Are they drunk?” he asked Steve.

Natalie nodded her head and pointed at Brian. “It’s not my fault!” Brian said.

“Brian doesn’t drink.” Kevin said confused.

“It’s a first for Natalie. They didn’t know there was alcohol in the punch.” Said Steve.

“How have they not passed out yet?” Kevin asked picking up the nearly empty pitcher.

“That’s what I said. Will you help me get them back to their rooms?”

Kevin and Steve helped Natalie and Brian to their feet. After taking a few steps, Brian felt sick. He leaned over a trashcan and threw up. Natalie started laughing so hard that she fell to the ground. Kevin helped her up. She pointed at Brian, “He threw up!” she said still laughing and then passed out in Kevin’s arms.

The next morning Natalie woke up when Kevin opened the curtains in her room. “Rise and shine.” He said. “How do you feel?”

Natalie sat up and immediately lied back down. “What happened? Where am I?”

“You passed out. I brought you back to your room. Avery wasn’t here so I stayed. Didn’t want to leave you here alone like that.”

Natalie tried to sit up again. The room seemed to be spinning. Kevin handed her a glass, “Sip this.” He said.

“What is this?”

“Tomato juice mostly, plus a few other things.”

“What’s it for?”

“Should help with the hangover.”

“Hangover!” Natalie said confused. “That’s impossible.”

“Do you remember anything?”

Natalie thought for a minute. “I was watching a basketball game with Brian?”

“You two had quite a bit of punch.”

“You can’t get a hangover from punch.”

“You can when it’s full of rum.” Kevin laughed.

Natalie set the glass on the nightstand and lied back down. She groaned. Kevin smiled. “Keep sipping the juice.”

“Where’s Brian?”

“In his room, I’m sure. Probably still sleeping it off. I haven’t seen two people that drunk in a long time.”

“What were we doing?”

Kevin thought of telling her about her and Brian making out on the couch, but then didn’t. “Laughing at each other mostly. You looked pretty silly but don’t worry nothing too embarrassing.”

“How long does a hangover last?”

Kevin smiled, “Depends on how wasted you got. Have you really never been drunk before?”

“I’ve never even tasted alcohol before.”

Kevin laughed, “My guess is your head is gonna hurt all day.”

Natalie groaned again and pulled the covers over her head.

Kevin pulled the covers back, “I’m afraid not sweetie. We have to start filming today.”

Natalie sat back up in a panic, “Oh my gosh! What am I gonna do?”

Kevin sat down on the bed next to her and handed her the glass on the nightstand. “First, you’re going to finish your juice and take some asprin, then you’re going to take a hot shower and then we’ll walk up to the lodge and find you a really dark pair of sunglasses. You’ll be OK.”

Natalie sipped the tomato juice and looked at Kevin. “Thanks.” She said.

Kevin smiled, “My cousin got you drunk, it was the least I could do.”

“Where’s Avery?”

“She came in really late last night. She couldn’t believe it when I told her what happened. She was really worried so I told her I would stay. She already left to go up to the lodge.”
Chapter 12 by honey
Chapter 12.

Natalie and Kevin walked up to the lodge where almost everyone was already busy at work. People were setting up lights and cameras around the basketball court. Kevin went to talk to James. Brian was sitting at the picnic table with his face buried in his arms. Natalie sat down next to him. “Just tell me one thing.” She said. Brian looked up at her squinting, “Did Miami win?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I have no idea what happened. The last thing I remember, we were watching the game. Next thing I know my alarm is going off and my head is pounding.”

“Sounds familiar.” Natalie said, “Except instead of an alarm, I woke up to Kevin feeding me tomato juice.”

“Did he tell you what happened?”

“Apparently, there was rum in the punch. Kevin said we were pretty drunk.”

“Pretty drunk?” Steve laughed as he walked past them, “That was an understatement.”

Steve sat down at the table with them. “How much do you remember?”

Both Natalie and Brian shook their heads. “Nothing.” Natalie said.

Steve laughed. “It’s probably better that way.”

“Why? What happened?” Brian asked.

Steve laughed again and walked away without answering the question. Natalie and Brian looked at each other. “I am so sorry.” Brian said.

“I’m sure if we did anything really bad, he would have told us.”

James yelled a set of directions into a megaphone. Both Brian and Natalie groaned from the noise and put their heads down on the table. Avery sat down across from them at the table. “Are you OK?” she asked trying not to laugh, “Kevin said you passed out.”

“Why are you yelling?” Natalie asked looking up.

Avery looked at her confused. “Is this better?” she whispered.

“She passed out?” Brian asked. “I feel really awful.”

“It wasn’t your fault.” Natalie said smiling.

James yelled through the megaphone again. “I need some coffee.” Brian said. “You want some?”

Natalie shook her head and buried her face in her arms. When Brian was gone Avery started freaking out. “Oh my gosh, I have to tell you something!”

Natalie pulled her head up off the table and tried to be attentive. “Let me guess, you ditched me at that stupid party so that you and Nick could go make out and I end up with the worlds largest hangover.”

Avery smiled. “Close. All that did happen, but there’s more.”

“How come you get to do all the making out?” Natalie whined, “Why do I have to want the ‘emotionally untouchable’ one.”

“Who’s emotionally untouchable?” Nick asked cheerfully sitting down next to Avery. He was unusually perky this morning.

Natalie and Avery looked at each other in panic. “No one.” Natalie said.

“Natalie” Avery said.

“Ah-hah.” Nick said looking at Natalie “You better fix that before you end up like Brian.” He laughed.

Both girls gave him strange looks. “What?” he said.

Natalie threw her head back on the table, “Are you always so perky in the morning?”

“I can’t help it.” Nick said smiling. “I’m in a good mood today.”

He put his arm around Avery and kissed her on the cheek. “Did you tell her?”

Avery shook her head. “Tell me what?” Natalie said with her face still buried in her arms.

“In that case,” Nick said, “I want you to be the first to meet my new girlfriend.”

Natalie pulled her head back up and looked at the two of them. They both had huge smiles on their faces. “What?” Natalie said.


Brian’s hands shook a little as he poured himself a cup of coffee. Kevin walked up to him. “How you holding up?” he asked.

“I’ll survive.” Brian replied, “I don’t even remember what happened.”

“Well you threw up and she passed out.”

“Was she ok?”

“We got her home. She’s got one hell of a headache but she’ll live.”

Brian looked hesitantly at Kevin he wanted to say something but didn’t know exactly how to ask. “What?” Kevin said.

“Last night? Um, we were just watching the game right? I mean we didn’t do anything crazy did we?”

Kevin smiled. “Why what do you remember happening?”

“I can’t remember anything, it’s just…”

“Just what?”

Brian looked around and lowered his voice, “This morning when I woke up? I think I was wearing lipstick.”

Kevin laughed. “That’s not uncommon after you make out with a girl who was wearing it.”

“What? Who?”

“Who do you think?” Kevin said looking over at Natalie.

Brian’s face went pale. He looked over at the girls. Avery and Nick were telling Natalie something and Natalie was rubbing her head. “Are you sure?”

“When I walked in the room you were making out on the couch. You both seemed to think it was hysterical.”

“Does she know?” Brian asked.

“She remembers about as much as you. I didn’t see the need to tell her.”

Brian looked relieved. Kevin laughed. Brian looked at him confused, “What’s so funny?”

“You are.”

Brian looked at Kevin annoyed. “I have to sit down.”

As Brian turned to walk away, Kevin threw him a bottle of asprin. They smiled at each other. Brian sat back down at the table next to Natalie. “Where’d you guys go last night?” Brian asked Nick and Avery.

“They went exactly where I said they went.” Natalie said.

“You guys made out?” Brian asked surprised.

“Worse, they’re boyfriend girlfriend now.”

Brian Looked at them surprised. “Wow.” he said. Nick and Avery shrugged and smiled. Nick grabbed Avery’s hand. “Congratulations?” Brian said still surprised.

They all sat there looking at each other. James came up to them and said, “There’s my two little actresses! Are you ready to get started?”

Avery smiled and nodded, Natalie groaned again and put her head back down on the table. Brian put the bottle of asprin on the table. She looked at the bottle. “Already took a bunch.” She said.

James stared at them trying not to laugh. “That’s right. I heard you guys had quite a night.” He clapped his hands together, “Well, who’s ready to play some basketball?”

Brian groaned and threw his head down. Natalie picked hers back up. “What about basketball?” she said worried.

James sat down to explain what was going to happen. “Ok, Here’s the deal. The song is about realizing that you’re in love. For the video, Avery gets to play the part of Nick’s girlfriend.”

Everyone exchanged weird looks. What a coincidence. “Now,” James continued, “Natalie is Avery’s best friend and she’s kind of more ‘one of the guys.’ So, over the coarse of the video Brian will realize he’s in love with Natalie.

Brian smiled nervously at Natalie. She forced a smile back. “So where does basketball come in to all of this?” Avery asked.

“The guys are going to be playing. You and Natalie will walk up. Nick makes a basket then comes over and hugs you. AJ tries to get him to come back to the court but he stays with you. He’s left without a teammate so Natalie joins him on the court. They’ll play for a minute then AJ throws the ball to Natalie she takes her shot while Brian guards her. She makes the basket, hi 5’s AJ, Brian’s impressed…”

“Wait a minute. No one said anything about playing basketball when I signed up. You expect me to make a basket? Have you seen me play?”

“Saw you make one yesterday.” James said.

“One! In like an hour and a half!”

“That’s why it’s time to get up. Practice!”

Natalie looked at Avery worried. Avery shrugged and shook her head. “Up, up, up!” James said clapping. “Time’s a wastin’!”

Avery and Nick jumped up, “You ready act like my girlfriend?” Nick said.

Avery laughed and they walked over to the court where the other guys were waiting. “Come on you two.” James said.

Natalie and Brian looked at each other. They stumbled to their feet. When everyone was assembled on the court, James said, “We’ll start with the easy scene so you ladies can see how it works.”

The girls stood back and watched as they filmed the guys playing basketball. Then they tried it with the girls walking up to the game like they were supposed to. They got a few takes. The girls waved, Nick made a basket. Then it came time for Nick to meet Avery on the sidelines. The girls were surprised at how specific everything had to be. It wasn’t as hard as they thought it would be. James was really good at telling them what he wanted. After rehearsing for a while James seemed unsatisfied. “It’s missing something.” He said. He thought for a minute and then said, “Could you try it with a kiss?”

Nick nodded. Avery’s eyes nearly popped out of her head! “What?” she asked.

James had actually forgotten he wasn’t working with real actresses. He thought a moment more and then said, “The scene isn’t working like this.” He tried to explain. “You’re supposed to be his girlfriend. A girlfriend would kiss him. I don’t suppose we could get you to try it? At least once? If you’re too uncomfortable, we won’t do it.”

Avery stood there panicked. She looked at Natalie for help. Natalie was just as surprised as she was. The guys all stared at Avery waiting for a response. They had all been wondering if this was going to happen. Nick, who was standing right in front of her whispered, “It didn’t seem to bother you last night.”

“Alone on a dark beach is one thing,” she whispered back.

“It’s not like he’s asking you to kiss AJ, I am your boyfriend.”

Avery smiled at the mention of the title. “But in front of a camera? With everyone watching?” Avery slowly shook her head. She looked at James and said, “I don’t think I-

All of the sudden Nick kissed her. He didn’t even let her finish her sentence. Natalie laughed a little to herself. James and the other guys just watched surprised. After Nick kissed her, he smiled, “See? It’s not so bad.”

Avery turned bright red. She was speechless. Nick turned to James and said, “We’ll try it.”

“Great!” James said. “Let’s try it.”

Avery looked at James with a blank stare. Steve zoomed in close with his camera. “This is great stuff!” he said excitedly. Everybody looked over at him. “What?” he said. “This would make a great documentary!” Steve stopped to think for a second a smile spreading across his face. “You girls wouldn’t mind doing some more interviews, would you?”

Avery glared into the camera. Steve smiled, “Later then.” He laughed.

“Places!” James yelled into the megaphone. Natalie grabbed her head.

Everyone got ready and they tried it again. This time Nick kissed Avery instead of hugging her. She still seemed a little stiff, but for someone who had never had to do it before, she wasn’t bad. It only took them 7 takes to get the shot right. “Perfect!” James yelled.

Everyone cheered for Avery who blushed, “That’s my girl!” Nick said throwing his arms around her kissing her again.

Now it was time for Natalie to have to play basketball. “You ready?” James asked.

Natalie looked like she was going to be sick. “Just like we practiced.” AJ said.

“If Avery can master kissing scenes, I’m sure you can play a little basketball.” James reassured her.

“Is it too late to switch places? I could kiss Nick a lot easier than I could make a basket!” Natalie said.

Everyone laughed. “I’ll go easy on you.” Brian said.

“You’ll have to,” Natalie teased, “You have a serious hangover.”

They practiced a couple more times and finally they were ready to try it in front of the camera, but between the hangovers and Natalie’s athletic ability, it was not working. Natalie was ready to give up. James gave everyone a 5-minute break. AJ stayed on the court with Natalie. He gave her a little pep talk and showed her trick that helped him. He got her ready for one more try. Everyone got in their places and they tried it again. This time Natalie tried it the way AJ showed her and the ball finally went in the hoop! AJ help out his hands for the high fives but Natalie was so excited that she leaped into his arms. He caught her laughing and spun her around. Brian didn’t notice the look he had on his face as he watched them, but Steve did. He zoomed in on the reaction. “I told you that would help.” AJ said to Natalie.

“Thank you!” Natalie said kissing him on the cheek. AJ grinned, “Don’t thank me just yet. We have to do it again now.” He said putting her down.

Natalie frowned. “This time without leaping into my arms.” AJ explained.

Natalie realized what she had done. She looked around to see everyone laughing then she saw Brian. She looked back at AJ and then quickly stepped back. “Sorry.” She said to James. Won’t happen again. Promise.”

James laughed. They did it again. After only a few more takes, Natalie finally got it right. “Cut!” James yelled, “That’s a wrap!”

Everyone cheered relieved. The crew scattered, taking down lights and cameras. “So what do we do now?” Natalie asked walking up to Nick and Avery.

“We wait.” Nick said, “It will be a while before they are ready for us again.”

Natalie saw Brian sit down at the picnic table. She also saw Steve coming up to them with a video camera. “I think its time for you to kiss and tell.” Natalie laughed. “I’m just gonna…” she said walking away before Steve got there. She went and sat next to Brian. “How’s your head?” she asked.

“I’m starting to feel a little better. You?”

Natalie nodded. “What do you think we did last night anyway?”

“Huh?” Brian said startled by the question. He thought about what Kevin had told him.

“I can’t remember what happened.” Natalie explained. I’ve never been drunk before. I hope I didn’t do anything embarrassing.”

“Never?” Brian asked.

“Last night happened to be my first experience with alcohol.”

“I’m so sorry.” Brian said again.

Natalie smiled. “I’m sure I’ll forgive you when my head stops hurting.”

Brian handed her the bottle of asprin that was still in his pocket and the two started to laugh. Laura walked up to them, “I hate to interrupt the party, but George is looking for you Natalie. He needs to get you into makeup for the next scene.”

“OK.” Natalie said standing up.

Natalie tossed the asprin back to Brian and smiled. Laura sat down across the table from Brian. “She’s pretty cool.” Laura said as she left.

Brian gave Laura a funny look. “Must we do this every time?” he said.

“Oh come on! She’s cute! She’s sweet! What’s wrong with wanting to see my best friend find somebody special!”

“Are you telling me she’s special?” Brian said.

Laura gave him a challenging look, “Are you telling me she’s not?”

Laura waited for a response. Brian couldn’t say anything. “Well, well, well. It’s about time!” Laura said.

“What are you talking about?”

“You like her! Admit it!”

Brian said nothing. “Alright.” Laura sighed, “Then I guess I’ll go tell AJ it’s OK.” She said and started to get up. “Can’t say I didn’t try.”

Brian grabbed her arm and pulled her back down. “Tell him what’s OK?”

Laura smiled. “Natalie. He wants to go for it. He asked me if I thought she was interested.”

“What?” Brian asked.

“Hey,” Laura shrugged, “You know AJ.”

“Yeah, I know AJ!” Brian said getting angry.

Laura sat back with her mouth hanging open. “It’s true! You really do like her!” she said surprised, But, he’s wrong.”

Brian was so confused. “Who’s wrong? About what?”

Laura stared at Brian. She couldn’t believe it. “Kevin.” She finally explained,
“Oh, so the two of you are in this together now? That’s great!”

“He told me you had a crush, but it’s more than that. Isn’t it?” She said still amazed at the idea.

Brian glared at Laura. He was starting to get frustrated. “I can’t take any more of this!” He said popping another asprin in his mouth.

He threw his head down on the table. Laura laughed, “What’s wrong with you?”

“Haven’t you heard? I’ve got a massive hangover!” he said with his face still buried in his arms.

“Yeah I saw the tape.” Laura said giggling, “But that’s not why you’re upset.”
Brian sat back up. “What tape! There’s a tape!”

“Don’t change the subject.” Laura said ignoring the question. “Why are you so upset?”

“I’m not upset!” Brian snapped.

Several people standing nearby looked up. Laura was starting to get frustrated herself. “Why are you so afraid of liking someone?” she asked, “ Do you want to be alone forever? I mean is that really what you want? Because that’s what’s gonna happen if you’re not careful.”

Laura’s words hit Brian like a ton of bricks. He sat in silence fiddling with the bottle of asprin in his hands. Laura could see that he was upset but she didn’t say anything. She wanted him to think about it for a minute. After a few minutes of silence Laura felt bad. She sighed, “I don’t mean to sound harsh,” she said, “But I’m worried about you. You haven’t even looked twice at a girl since Linda. That was five years ago.”

Laura thought it best to leave him alone. “If there’s even a chance you might be interested in this girl, then you should go for it.” She said. She kissed him on the cheek and got up from the table. Brian sat there lost in thought.
Chapter 13 by honey
Chapter 13.

Natalie and Avery loved talking to George. They had a blast getting their hair and make-up done. Natalie took a lot more work than Avery. George had washed, dried, flatten, straightened and then curled Natalie’s hair. When it was Avery’s turn, she sat down in the chair and George threw her hair up into a ponytail and spun the chair around. “That’s it?” Natalie said. “I had to sit there for like an hour and she gets a pony tail?”

George laughed. “She has to get wet so I need something easy so it won’t take that long to fix between every take.”

“I have to get wet?” Avery asked.

George opened his mouth to explain but didn’t get the chance. Laura burst in the room saying, “OK I’m here.” She said, “And I’ve got outfits!” She held up a garment bag in either hand.

“They’re all yours!” George said, “Just don’t mess up the hair changing clothes.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem.” Laura said unzipping the clothing bags.

Natalie and Avery exchanged glances as Laura revealed two bikinis. “NO WAY!” Avery said.

“You don’t like it?” Laura asked, “Because I have one in purple too.”

“I thought you said you had out fits.”

“The next scene is a beach scene.”

Avery looked at Natalie. “I didn’t know?” Natalie shrugged.

“I am not going to be put on national television in a swimsuit! NO WAY!” she said again.

“James!” she said stepping out of the trailer, “James!”

Natalie followed Avery over to James. Nick and AJ were standing there. Steve heard her and came running with his camera. “Avery?” Nick asked, “What’s wrong?”

Avery tried to control her temper. She held up the little pink bikini. “You never said anything about swimsuits.” She tried to say calmly.

“You have a thing against swimsuits?” he asked.

“Only when I have to be seen in one.”

AJ took the swimsuit from Avery and held it up. “I bet you would look hot in this.” He said.

Natalie cringed. She waited for Avery to explode, but Avery bit her tongue. Nick hit AJ on the shoulder and took the swimsuit. “I don’t think that’s helping.” He said.

“You wore one yesterday to the beach.” Nick said. “How is this different?”

“First of all, this one has no middle. Second of all, there were only like 8 people there. The whole world is going to see this video.”

Nick looked at the swimsuit. It really was very cute. “Tell you what,” he said, “Why don’t you at least try it on. If you don’t like it, we’ll do something else.”

Nick walked off with Avery still trying to talk her into trying on the suit. “Is she really not going to wear a swimsuit?” James asked Natalie nervously, “Because I can’t have a beach scene without swimsuits. I have a bus full of extras arriving any minute.”

Natalie didn’t know what to say, she wasn’t sure Avery was going to let up on this one. She shrugged. “She really hates swimsuits.”

“That’s too bad.” AJ said shaking his head.

“I’ll try and talk to her if Nick can’t convince her, but no guarantees.”

Back in the trailer Avery was still in the dressing room. Nick and Laura were waiting. “You have to come out.” Nick was saying, “It’s only me and Laura.”

“I’m not wearing this.” Avery shouted from inside the dressing room.

“I have a wrap for it if that will help.” Laura said. She hung a skirt over the door and it disappeared into the dressing room.

They waited and in a minute the door slowly opened. Avery stuck her head out the door to see who was in the room. Only Nick Laura were there. “Let’s see it.” Nick said.

Avery came out pulling at the straps. She held her hands up. “Happy?”

Laura smiled, “It looks great!”

Nick stared. Laura and Avery looked at him. Avery waited for him to say something. He smiled and then took her hand and made her spin. “You look gorgeous! You have to wear it!”

Avery blushed. “It’s not like you’re the only one.” Nick continued, “We all have to wear them, and I hate having to take my shirt off. But I will if you will.”

James was starting to panic. He and Kevin were trying to come up with ideas for a new scene. Natalie was looking over at Brian. He was throwing the basketball. When he missed twice in a row Natalie wondered if something was bothering him. She was debating going over there when AJ whistled. Natalie turned around to see Avery, Nick and Laura headed their way. When AJ whistled, Avery turned bright red in the face and turned around. Nick grabbed her hand and dragged her over to James. “She’s gonna do it.”

James sighed with relief. “Thank you so much! I promise, no more surprises.”

A bus full of people drove up to the resort. “What’s that?” Avery asked.

“Oh good! The extras are here.”

“Extras?”

“Yeah, well we have to fill up the beach with people.”

“Models?” Avery asked.

James nodded. “I’m not doing this!” Avery said and started to leave again.
Nick grabbed her again. “Come on, please?” James said.

“Not one of those models is my girlfriend.” Nick said putting his arm around her.

“I’m sure Nick would be happy to make out with you in front of them. Then they won’t be thinking about what you’re wearing.” Natalie said.

Nick nodded his head. Avery smiled again and everyone laughed. Nick and Avery walked away and James went over to the bus. Natalie and AJ were left standing there. They walked over to the picnic table. Brian looked up and watched them sit down. “You know,” AJ said to Natalie, “If you’re worried about it too, I will gladly volunteer to make out with you in front of the other girls.”

Natalie laughed, “How sweet of you. If I need you, I’ll let you know.”

She got up and walked back to the trailer. AJ watched her go. She walked past the basketball court. She looked up to see Brian looking at her. She smiled. He forced a smile and waved but he seemed upset by something. Natalie stopped, she was going to ask him what was wrong but Laura came up to her before she could. “Ok, let’s get you finished now.” She said. Natalie smiled.

When everything was set up on the beach, it was like a whole different place. There were beautiful people everywhere. This was more what Natalie and Avery had expected in the first place, but now they both wished it was just them again. They were both wearing shirts and shorts over their swimsuits and they were getting very nervous. They sat in a couple of beach chairs looking at all the bleach blonde hoes. There were some good-looking guys there too, but none that compared to the Backstreet Boys. Natalie and Avery watched a group of girls gather around AJ. They were totally throwing themselves at him. Natalie laughed and told Avery that AJ offered to make out with her in front of all the girls. “But I’m sure he’ll find someone to make out with soon enough.” She said.

“Do you think we look like that around them?” Avery said.

“I hope not!” Natalie said, “I’d like to think I have some self respect.”

“You’re nothing like those girls.” Said a voice from behind them.

Avery and Natalie looked up to see Kevin smiling down at them. He was dressed and ready to go in his swim shorts. The girls tried not to stare. “Why do you think we were so surprised when we found out you knew who we were? These are the kind of girls we are used to meeting.” Kevin said. “You’re one in a million.”

The girls laughed. “No really,” Kevin continued, “I was thrilled when Nick told me he wanted you to be his girlfriend. It’s not often we have the opportunity to get to know nice girls. To tell you the truth, I was hoping you would both get snatched up.”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other. “But, the weeks not over yet.” Kevin said smiling mischievously at Natalie.

There was an awkward pause for a moment until James came over to describe the scene to them. “We’re almost ready to get started.” He began. “This one should be a piece of cake after this morning.”

“What do we have to do?”

“We’ll start with you and Avery laying on the beach.”

“In bikinis.” Avery grumbled.

“You’ll look great” James continued. “Nick and Brian will come up to you. Nick and Avery start making out. Brian smiles awkwardly. Nick tries to get Avery to go in the water with him and when she says no he picks her up and carries her in. Natalie laughs. Brian sits down next to Natalie. He’s nervous. Looks like he wants to say something. There’s a moment. Natalie smiles…”

Natalie began to get nervous. “Then,” James continued not noticing Natalie’s reaction, “A volleyball will land at Natalie’s feet. A guy runs up to her. He introduces himself and then Natalie runs off to join the game and that’s it.”

Natalie was relieved. “That’s not so bad.”

“I told you, piece of cake.” James said.

He took Natalie and Avery over to their places on the beach. They plopped down on their towels. “Just hang out here while I get all the extras where I want them.” James started to leave and then turned back around, “Oh and uh, the tank tops and shorts gotta come off now. I need to be able to see the whole picture the way it’s gonna look.” He smiled and ran off.

Across the beach, the guys all waited to get started. Steve was filming random shots of the crew at work. AJ grabbed him and said, “You should get that on camera so we can watch the replay later!”

All the guys looked up to see Natalie and Avery in tiny little bikinis. They watched the girls rub sunscreen on themselves. “That is so hot!” AJ said, his mouth dropping open when Natalie handed Avery the bottle and Avery rubbed lotion on Natalie’s back. Howie nodded his head. “Is it true that girls sometimes make out with their best friends just to see what it’s like?” AJ asked.

The other four guys looked at him funny. “What?” he shrugged, “I heard that happens sometimes. Do you think they have?”

Brian looked at Natalie and Avery, “I don’t think so.” He said.

“That’s too bad.” AJ said shaking his head.

Nick frowned, “Quit perving on my girlfriend.” He said.

They all laughed. James came up to them with a couple of surfboards. “We’re all set.” He said, “Everyone’s in place except you.”

James handed surfboards to Brian and Nick. “Time to get wet.”

Everyone got in their places and things got started. The first time the guys walked up to them, the girls were surprised to see them all wet. They tried to keep their cool but Nick and Brian were so hot. Both girls forgot what they were supposed to be doing. They had to start over. The second time was better. Nick sat down next to Avery and kissed her. It was still weird to Natalie to see Avery kissing a Backstreet Boy. She tried not to laugh. “Cut!” James yelled.

“I’m sorry.” Natalie said, “I didn’t mean to laugh, it’s all just a little weird to me still.”

“No, no, no, the weird look is great,” James explained, “But I need more from Nick and Avery. You guys have to be really lovey-dovey. Grosse even.”

“What, you want us to just totally make out here in the sand?” Nick said jokingly.

“Would you?”

“You’re serious?” Avery asked.

Nick smiled. “We’ll give it our best.” He said and winked at Avery.

They tried it again. This time Nick plopped down next to Avery practically tackling her. The reactions from both Brian and Natalie were genuine this time. Natalie laughed at first, but when Brian looked at her she really did feel awkward. He forced a smile. “Perfect! You girls are a couple of born actresses!” James said.

The crew scurried to move the cameras where they needed them for the next part of the scene. Nick had a great time dragging Avery off to the water. When they were done James said they needed to do it at least one more time, just to be safe. George took Avery to get dried off. Steve noticed that Brian stayed next to Natalie while they waited for her. He focused his camera on them. They didn’t know he was watching. Natalie kept looking at Brian. He was really quiet. He seemed to be lost in thought. “Are you feeling OK?” Natalie asked.

Brian snapped out of his daze. “Huh?” he asked.

“You’re so quiet. I’ve hardly talked to you today.”

Brian shrugged. “Is something bothering you?” Natalie asked again.

Brian was really nervous, he didn’t know how to answer that question. “My head still hurts a little I guess.” He said.

Natalie smiled. She didn’t think that was the problem, but she didn’t bring it up again. “I know the feeling.” She said instead, “I could really use a nap.”

Natalie lied back and threw a small towel over her eyes. Brian looked down at her with a sad smile on his face. He just sat there watching her until Avery came back. They did the scene again. “Cut!” James yelled. “Let’s move on.”

Natalie was surprised at how close they were putting the cameras to her. She was nervous about the next part of the scene. She was supposed to have ‘a moment’ with Brian. That was more acting than she had had to do so far. “The cameras are so close.” She said to James trying not to calm her nerves.

“This is the emotional part. We need good close ups.”

“But that’s like real acting. How am I supposed to do that?”

James smiled. “First of all, you relax. Then you become the character.”

“Become the character?” Natalie asked confused.

“Forget that there is anybody else around. Become the girl on the beach. Pretend that Brian really is your best friend. Imagine he is looking at you that way, and not just playing a role.”

“That doesn’t even sound easy in theory!” Natalie said feeling more nervous than ever. “I don’t know if I can do this.”

“Just wait until you’re in the moment. You’ll find a way.”

The cameras were ready, Natalie sat back down and Brian soon joined her. Natalie thought it was strange that he seemed just as nervous as she was. They tried it a few times but every time it didn’t feel right to James. After a few takes, James turned to Steve who was standing next to him. “This isn’t working.” James said. “We have to do something.”

“I know!” Steve said, “Do it again. Make sure that the cameras are rolling on both of their faces. This may only work once.”

“What are you going to do?” James asked.

Steve smiled, “Trust me. Just role the tape.”

Making sure to stay out of the shot, Steve got as close to them as he could. He looked at James to make sure the cameras were on. James nodded. “This shouldn’t be so hard after last night.” Steve said to Natalie and Brian.

“Would you just tell me what happened already?” Natalie said totally annoyed.

Brian looked at Steve. His face turned pale. Steve smiled. “You mean Brian didn’t tell you?” he said to Natalie.

“Tell me what?” Natalie said.


She looked at Brian. He stared speechless. He opened his mouth to say something but no words came out. Natalie waited nervously. They both just looked at each other. James couldn’t believe it. This was exactly what he was looking for. He signaled to a man holding a volleyball off camera. The man tossed the ball and it landed at Natalie’s feet startling her. She jumped, and then looked up. “CUT!” James yelled. “Beautiful! Let’s move on.

Once again the crew hurried to move the cameras. Brian and Natalie started to realize what had happened. They looked at Steve. “Guilty.” He said laughing. “But it worked.”

Steve walked away still laughing. “I’m a genius.” He said to James, “They’re going to need a minute.”

Natalie looked back at Brian. He got nervous again. “Do you remember what happened last night?”

Brian shook his head. “I can’t remember a thing.”

“Then what is he talking about?”

“When I woke up this morning,” Brian hesitated and then took a deep breath. “I was wearing your particular shade of red.”

Natalie looked at him confused. He put a finger to his lips. “Oh.” Natalie said realizing what he was saying. She blushed. “Did Steve see it?”

Brian nodded. Natalie blushed for a minute and then smiled, “Did I kiss you or did you kiss me?”

Brian was surprised by Natalie’s reaction. “It’s important. I need to know.” Natalie said.

Brian shrugged, “I don’t know. Steve said he found us watching the game totally drunk. Apparently he got it on tape.”

“What?”

“He went to get Kevin for back up and Kevin said that when they walked in the room we were making out.”

“Making out?” Natalie replied.

Brian blushed. He hesitated again. “What is it?” Natalie asked.

“I had to wash the lipstick off of more than just my face.” Brian rubbed the side of his neck.”

Natalie smiled, holding back a laugh. “Sorry about that. Like I said, never been drunk before.”

“It’s OK.” Brian said.

They sat there for a minute. Brian was so nervous. Finally Natalie broke the silence, “Now that’s just disappointing.” She said.

Brian looked at her confused. “What?”

Natalie laughed, “Let’s not forget I am big fan. I finally get to make out with one of the band members and I can’t even remember it.”

There was a hint of a smile on Brian’s face. Natalie was glad to see it. He hadn’t smiled all day. “Not that it matters,” He finally said, “But I’m sure it was you who made out with me.”

“Is that so?” Natalie said.

Steve and James both looked up and smiled when they heard Natalie and Brian burst into laughter. Across the beach, Kevin and Laura had been watching them the whole time. They smiled at each other. “It’s amazing how perfect they are for each other.” Laura sighed.

“We can’t let him screw this one up.” Kevin replied.

“PLACES! LAST SEQUENCE!” James yelled.

Natalie and Brian, now much more relaxed, settled into their places. Natalie held the volleyball in her hands and waited to start. She had not yet seen the guy who was going to be standing there. When Natalie looked up, she almost blushed. Standing in front of her was a guy so hot that for a brief second she forgot she was sitting next to Brian Littrell. Perfectly built, curly jet-black hair, and the most beautiful deep blue eyes she had ever seen. He waited for her to hand him the ball but she was instantly lost in his smile. Both he and Brian were a little surprised by the reaction. Brian gave her a weird look but she didn’t see it. The guy looked at Brian and then back to Natalie. He held back a laugh and gestured to the ball. Natalie snapped out of it and handed the ball to him. Brian watched as the guy helped Natalie to her feet and shook her hand. The giddy smile never left her face. She walked off with him and never even heard James yell cut. Brian couldn’t believe the reaction. He just sat there looking at them talk. James came up to him, “Hey man, that was perfect. One take, very nice. That’s a wrap everyone!” He yelled.

“Look at her.” Brian said still staring at Natalie. “Is that guy really that good-looking?”

James laughed. “Laura seemed to think so when she saw him. Almost fell out of her chair.”

“Huh.” Brian said.

Nick came up to Brian and sat down, “Looks like you have some competition.” He said, “Avery freaked out. I guess that guy’s really hot.”

“I guess so.” Brian said. “It looks like you might have some competition too.”

Nick frowned watching Natalie introduce Avery to the hot boy. She also had a big smile on her face. “I don’t see it.” He said pouting.
Chapter 14 by honey
Author's Notes:
Hey guys! So the song in this chapter didn't actually exist when I wrote this story. Origionally I made a song up but when the black and blue album came out "How Did I Fall In Love With You" fit so perfectly that I went back and changed it. So... Pull out your Black and Blue CD and listen to the very last track and that's the song I have in mind when I read this story. Hope You're enjoying it!
Chapter 14.

All of the extras got back on the bus and once again it was just the crew and the girls. Natalie and Avery waved goodbye to the hot boy as the bus drove off. They went inside the lodge where everyone was sitting down to dinner. Everyone applauded when they walked in the room. Natalie and Avery were so embarrassed. They quickly found a place to sit. Nick had saved Avery a place next to him and Natalie sat in between Brian and Avery. “So are you done drooling over that guy?” Nick asked Avery.

“Yes, sadly, he’s gone.” She said.

“That guy was gorgeous!” Laura said.

“Too bad he was dumb as a stump.” Natalie said. “Did you talk to him? I think his hair jell must have killed off all his brain cells. But, still worth looking at.” Natalie held up a camera, “I got a picture!” She said smiling.

“Make me a copy of that!” Avery said.

“Me too!” Laura said dreamily.

“Me too!” George yelled from across the room. Everyone laughed.
“I’m so hungry.” Nick said changing the subject.

“I can’t believe how fast the day went. Is it always like that?” Avery asked.
“Not always that eventful,” James said, “But it does usually go by quickly.”
“So what happens next?” Natalie asked.

“Well we’re starting to lose the light, so we’re done for the day. “We’ll pick it up bright and early tomorrow morning. We should finish tomorrow if all goes well.”

“That’s it?”

“Yup.”

“Wow, I kind of thought there would be more to it than that.” Natalie said.

“Well we had filmed most of it before you ladies showed up. You know, all the parts where the guys sing and all the solo shots and stuff. We did everything except what we needed the models for.”

“Oh.” Natalie said. “That makes sense.”

“You seem disappointed?” James said.

Natalie shrugged, “I was kind of hoping we would get to hear them sing.” She said. “We haven’t even heard the song this video is for.”

“Yeah, what’s it called?” Avery asked.

“It’s called ‘How Did I Fall In Love With You’. The album is called Black and Blue. Don’t worry we won’t let you go home without copies of it.” James said. “And I’m sure the boys wouldn’t mind singing for you before you go either.”

“We’d love to!” Brian said to her. The other guys agreed.

“Thanks.” Natalie said. “That would really mean a lot.”

“Anything for the heroes of the hour.” Kevin said.

“Not to mention two of the best actresses I’ve ever worked with. You’re naturals. We’ll have to work together again sometime.”

“What?” Avery said, “Do it again?”

“Yeah, you really have some natural talent. You do realize that agents will be beating down your doors when this hits the airwaves? If you wanted to, I bet you could have a couple of really promising careers ahead of you. ”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other. The thought had never actually occurred to them before. “That’s really weird.” Avery said and Natalie agreed. Just then, Jerry walked into the room with a huge cake. He set it down in front of the girls. It said Congratulations Avery and Natalie on a job well done! And there were gummy bears and candles on it. Everyone clapped again. James raised his glass and everyone else followed suit. “To Natalie and Avery. Thanks for saving our butts!”

The girls blushed and blew out the candles. It was so embarrassing. Brian leaned over and whispered in Natalie’s ear, “The gummy bears were my idea.”

Natalie smiled and they all ate cake. After dinner everyone went their separate ways. It had been a long day and Natalie wanted to relax. Avery and Nick were headed back to Natalie and Avery’s place to play video games on the big screen, but Natalie wasn’t in the mood. She really just wanted some quiet time so she decided to go for a walk. She walked down to the beach and sat for a while. When it was completely dark she went back up to her cabin. She could hear voices outside. Avery must have been in the hot tub. Natalie wasn’t in the mood so she put on her running shoes and grabbed her headphones. She went up to the gym and got on the treadmill. For a while she walked at a very slow pace. The song ‘That’s What She Said’ played making her think about Paul. She started to pick up her pace. Before long she was steadily running faster and faster. She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn’t notice when Howie came into the gym. He watched her for a minute and then walked up to her. She didn’t hear him say hello, so he reached up and put his hand on her shoulder. It startled her so much that she let out a scream. She nearly fell. She turned off the machine and her music and sat down out of breath. “I’m sorry,” Howie said, “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“That’s OK. I just didn’t hear you come in.” Natalie replied.

“Yeah, you seemed pretty focused. The only time I run like that is when I’m really upset.”

Natalie smiled. “So what’s wrong?” Howie asked.

“Just trying to figure some stuff out. I came on vacation to clear my head but I haven’t really had the time yet.”

“Guy trouble?”

“Guys, life, stuff.”

“You want to talk about it? Comfort in strangers and all?”

Natalie and Howie sat on a couple of bikes and Natalie told him what was on her mind. She told him about Paul and how she just wants to get away, but that she didn’t know what she wanted to do with her life. “It all sounds like pretty normal stuff.” Howie said, “Everyone has to go through it sometime.”

“What about you?”

“I think about that kind of stuff all the time. I’ve been doing this since I was a little kid. Most days I love it, but sometimes I wonder why I do it. Stardom is a lonely life. It’s not easy.”

“How do you deal with it?”

“I spend a lot of time in the gym.”

Natalie laughed. “I talk to my family all the time and I see them when I can. Occasionally I find myself a girlfriend too but it’s never seems to work out.”

“Are you all single right now?”

“Kevin’s got a girlfriend. Oh and I guess Nick now.”

Natalie and Howie both smiled, “That’s really weird.” Natalie said and they both laughed. “So how come it never works out?” Natalie asked.

“I guess it’s the stress of our job, and being famous. Most girls can’t deal with it. Us being gone all the time, being in the spotlight, surrounded by beautiful women all the time. It takes its toll on relationships.”

“That sounds awful.”

“Its not so bad. We get to experience a lot of amazing things. But, it does get lonely.” Howie said and winked at Natalie.

“I know what you mean.” She said.

Natalie was tired from all the running so she decided to go back. She walked through the lobby and Jerry stopped her. “Hey Brian was looking for you.” He said.

“Really?” Natalie said surprised.

“Yeah, he just walked outside. I think he was going back to his room.”

“Do you know what he wanted?” Natalie asked.

Jerry shook his head. He said good night and Natalie left. On her way back to her room she saw Brian down at the basketball hoop. She smiled to herself and then headed that way. As she walked up to him, he missed a shot. She smiled and said, “Now I know something must be on your mind. That’s the fourth time I’ve seen you miss today.”

Brian turned around surprised to see her. She smiled. “Jerry said you were looking for me?” she asked.

He smiled. “You want to play?” he asked.

“I would, but I just came from the gym, I’m all worked out.”

“Oh.” Brian said. He shot the ball and missed again. He shook his head and sat down next to Natalie. He sighed. “My game is so off today. I think you might be contagious.”
“Oh, that’s nice.” Natalie laughed.

Brian laughed and then looked at Natalie. “You want to go for a walk with me?” he said.

Natalie smiled and they got up. They walked down to the beach. It was dark, but a ways down the beach they saw a light so they headed toward it. As they got closer they saw that the light was coming from a dock. They dock was empty and there was a single lamppost at the end of it. Natalie and Brian walked out to the end of the dock and hung their feet over the edge. For a moment they just sat there looking at the sky. Everything was silent. Brian broke the silence by saying, “I’m glad you and Avery were here this week.”

“Thanks.” Natalie said, “I’m glad we were too. It’s been a lot of fun.”

“It has been fun.” Brian said. “But that’s not why I’m glad you were here.”

Natalie looked at Brian confused. He smiled nervously, “I’ve had to do a lot of thinking this week. I had to confront my past. I realized some things about myself. Things I should have realized a long time ago.”

“You’re a step ahead of me then. I came on this vacation to figure things out and I’m more confused that when I left.”

Now Brian was confused, “What do you mean?”

Natalie smiled, “It’s nothing. I thought we were talking about you.”

“Actually, I was kind of talking about you.”

“How has my being here led you down a path of self discovery?”

Brian hesitated. He knew the answer to that question, but was afraid to say it. He sat there looking at Natalie. She waited for the answer. The wind kicked up suddenly and gave Natalie a chill. She grabbed her arms. She scooted right up next to Brian and he put his arm around her. “So,” Natalie said watching her feet dangle from the dock, “You have to tell me how you had this epiphany because I need to have one of my own.”

Brian smiled and said, “I ate a lot of gummy bears?”

Brian laughed. Natalie nudged him in the side. “I’m serious. What did you learn about yourself this week?”

Brian stopped playing around, “Well I realized that.” He stopped, “Do you hear that?”
Natalie listened for a minute, “Sounded like thunder.”

Just then they was lightning off in the distance. “Looks like a storm is coming.”

“We’re a long way down the beach. We’d better head back.”

They started to walk back up the beach and with a crash of thunder the rain began to fall. It was pouring. Brian and Natalie hurried up the beach but had a hard time finding their way back in the dark. When they finally got back to the resort they were drenched and shivering. “My rooms closer.” Brian said through the noise of the storm.

Natalie nodded and they ran to Brian’s room. When they got inside, they realized the power was out. Natalie flipped a switch and the fire roared to life. “Gas still works.” She said.

Brian grabbed a couple of towels, changed his clothes and handed Natalie the same jersey she had worn the other day. When Natalie was dry, they sat down on the couch wrapped up in a blanket. They stared into the fire listening to the storm pound against the windows. “Here we are again.” Natalie said.

Brian laughed, “And I still wish that fire crackled.”

“At least this time we have the rain. I love the sound of the rain.”

Brian stared as Natalie closed her eyes to take in the sound. He wanted to kiss her so bad. The room filled with light and then a loud crash shook them. Natalie opened her eyes, “That must have been right outside.” She said.

She looked at Brian and realized that he was staring at her. “What is it?”

“I was just thinking about the other night, wondering what I did to make you cry.”

Natalie remembered the night. The fire, how he almost kissed her. She got quiet and the smile left her face. “I don’t want to do it again.” Brian said.

“It wasn’t your fault.” Natalie said forcing a smile.

“I’m pretty sure it was.” Brian said. “You know I wasn’t just trying to-”

“It wasn’t your fault.” Natalie interrupted.

“Then what was it, because you have that same look on your face right now.”

“Just part of my past that I haven’t confronted yet.” Natalie said with a sigh. She looked at Brian, “You never did tell me how you did it.”

“I thought it was obvious.” He said.

Natalie stared confused. Before she had time to react, Brian kissed her. Natalie was speechless. She stared at Brian. He stared back nervously. Natalie started to speak but Brian pressed his finger against her lips. Natalie was so nervous she started to shake. Brian wrapped his arms around her pulling her close and kissed her again. Natalie melted in his arms and kissed him back.

“I haven’t wanted to kiss anyone since the day Linda broke my heart, but since the other night, it’s all I’ve wanted to do. You’ve stirred up emotions in me that I didn’t think I could feel anymore. I’ve been so confused these last couple days but I finally realized that it doesn’t have to be so confusing.”

Natalie sat back trying to take in everything that just happened. She was so excited and confused and sad and happy all at the same time. Completely overwhelmed, she sat there silent trying her best not to cry. Brian studied her. He was so nervous. He hadn’t put himself out there like that in years. He waited for a response but none came. When he couldn’t take it anymore he asked, “Are you OK?”

Natalie looked at him and forced a smile. “What are you thinking?” Brian asked starting to regret his decision.

Natalie just looked blankly at him. So many thoughts were running through her head she didn’t know where to start. She decided it was all too much to think about at the moment and she pushed it to the back of her mind. She looked at Brian. “I’m sorry if…” Brian said, “I kind of thought I wasn’t alone there.”

Natalie smiled and shook her head. “It’s not that,” She said, “It’s just been a long time since I’ve felt this way too.”

Brian let out a sigh of relief. He smiled at her and she smiled back. He kissed her again.

The wind and rain hadn’t let up since it started. Back in the presidential suite, Nick Avery, Laura, and Kevin sat around in the dark telling ghost stories. The lightning flashed and the thunder crashed. They were starting to get each other spooked. “I can’t believe this storm!” Avery said. “Is this common in Florida?”

“It’s actually kind of freakish.” Nick replied.

“I should check in with James and see if this is going to change things tomorrow.” Kevin said.

He picked up the telephone to call the front desk but there was no dial tone. He tried his cell. “Cell’s not working either. I think I’m going to go up to the lodge and see what I can find out.”

“I’ll go with you. It’s getting late. I need to head back to my room. We can make a run for it together.” Laura said.

“If you guys are going, then I guess I’ll come with you.” Nick said. He looked at Avery, “I should let you get some sleep.”

“You can’t all leave. I don’t want to be stuck here by myself.”

“Why don’t you stay with her Nicky? If there’s any changes, I’ll come back and let you know.”

Nick smiled at Avery. “Twist my arm.” He said.

Kevin and Laura said goodbye and Nick and Avery were left alone with only the light of the fire. They looked at each other, “What now?” Avery said.

Nick shrugged. “It is late. Maybe we should try and get some sleep.” Nick started to make himself comfortable on the couch while Avery changed into her pajamas. She was still a little creeped out from the stories and while she was in her room lightning struck a palm tree right outside her window. She screamed and Nick came back to see if she was all right. “Just a little jumpy.” She said laughing it off. “Would you mind staying in here with me tonight? I don’t want to be alone. It’s silly for you to sleep on the couch when there is plenty of room here.”

Nick smiled and the two of them climbed into the huge bed. Avery snuggled up right next to him. Nick threw his arm around her and pulled her as close to him as he possibly could. Avery was in heaven! The thunder crashed again and Avery said, “I wonder where Natalie went. I hope she’s OK.”

“I’m sure she is.” Nick said. He kissed her and squeezed her tightly and they were both asleep within minutes.

Natalie was OK. In fact, Natalie was way more than OK. For the second time this week Natalie had fallen asleep in Brian’s arms. Brian picked her up to lay her in his bed. As he placed her under the covers thunder roared outside. Natalie was startled half awake. She opened her eyes briefly and smiled at Brian. “Go back to sleep.” He whispered.

Natalie closed her eyes again. Brian kissed her forehead and reached up to push her hair away from her face. She grabbed his hand and kissed it. “Stay.” She whispered half asleep. Brian smiled and then laid down beside her. She held his hand against her face as she slept. For a while Brian just laid there awake watching her sleep.
Chapter 15 by honey
Chapter 15.

The next morning Nick woke up when he thought he heard a pounding at the front door. He opened his eyes and smiled when he saw Avery. She was curled up in a little ball on the corner of the bed. She had kicked the covers off of herself. Nick heard the knocking again. He got up, covered Avery in blankets and went to answer the door. He found Kevin standing there under an umbrella. It was still raining. “Morning.” Kevin said.

“Is it?” Nick asked looking at how dark it seemed outside.

Kevin nodded. “Eight o’clock.”

“Really? We were supposed to be up an hour ago.”

“Power’s still out and lightning hit the telephone lines.”

“So what’s going on?”

“The resort won’t have power or telephone until the rain stops and they can get somebody out here. That may be a while so get your stuff packed. We’re all going into the city to finish filming. James wants to be on the road in an hour so wake up the girls.”

“I don’t think Natalie ever came back last night but Avery and I will be up there as soon as we can.”

Kevin left and Nick went to wake up Avery. He bent over her and kissed her. “Good morning sleeping beauty!” he said.

Avery opened her eyes and an instant smile spread across her face. “Pack your stuff.” He said.

Nick explained to Avery what was going on. She got up and got in the shower and Nick made a run for it through the rain back to his room to get ready.

Across the resort, Brian opened his eyes. He was surprised to find Natalie’s head resting under his chin. Her arm and leg thrown over him like he was some kind of giant pillow and he had his arms around her. He smiled. He looked at the window but it still looked dark out so he stayed right where he was. He squeezed Natalie and she stirred in her sleep snuggling up even closer to him. He closed his eyes again enjoying the moment. Minutes later, there was a knock at the door. Natalie woke up taking in a deep breath. She pulled her head up off of Brian and saw him smiling at her. She smiled back. “Is there someone at the door?” Natalie asked.

Brian nodded. “Are you going to answer it?” Natalie asked.

“Do I have to?” he said.

The knock was louder. “Brian!” a voice called.

With a sigh Brian got out of bed and answered the door. “Kevin? What’s going on? What time is it?”

“Just after eight.”

“What? How are we so late?”

“It’s OK. There’s nothing to miss. We still have no power or telephones. James says to pack your stuff. Bus leaves in an hour.”

“Where we going?” Natalie asked greeting them at the door.

Kevin smiled not so surprised to see her there. “Into the city. We have to find alternative locations. You girls are supposed to leave tomorrow, so we can’t wait out the rain.”

“That should be fun. I’ve never been to Orlando before.”

“Really?”

Natalie shook her head again. Kevin smiled, “You’ll love it.”

Kevin offered to walk Natalie back to her room under his umbrella. She quickly changed back into her clothes that were still kind of damp and walked with Kevin back to her cabin.

“If we’re riding the bus with you, what are we going to do with our car?” Natalie asked.

“James said he has arranged for it to be sent over. He doesn’t want you to have to drive in the storm.”

Natalie said goodbye to Kevin and went inside to find Avery packing her stuff. They eventually got there things all packed after exchanging stories of what happened to them the night before.


It was amazing how much crap they had for such a short time. They looked at the pile of luggage and then at the rain out the front door. Somehow they managed to gather it all up at once and they hurried as fast as they could to the lodge. By the time they got there they were soaked. AJ laughed as they plopped their bags down in front of the bus. “We’re only going to be gone for one night.” He said.

“We had to pack everything. We’re not coming back here. We have to go home tomorrow.” Avery said.

AJ’s smile turned into a pout. “So soon?” he asked.

Natalie sighed. She smiled politely and said, “Dreams can’t last forever,” as she climbed onto the bus. AJ looked at Avery as if to ask what’s wrong with her? Avery shrugged.

Inside the bus was huge. Natalie and Avery were surprised at how much room there was. It was more like a motor home. There were couches and a dining table in the back, a few bunks for sleeping and in the front there were some chairs. The girls sat down on one of the couches in the back. Nick plopped down next to Avery and rested his head on her shoulder. “Better make yourselves comfortable, we have like a two hour drive ahead of us.” He said closing his eyes.
Avery pulled a blanket over them and closed her eyes as well. Natalie moved to the other couch, put her headphones on and closed her eyes. Pretty soon she had Brian and Kevin sitting on either side of her. She opened her eyes when they sat down. Brian smiled. Natalie forced a smile back but Brian could tell that she was upset about something. Kevin saw it too but neither of them said anything. They all just sat there in silence for a while and pretty soon they were on their way. After a while just about everyone had fallen asleep. They had all had quite a long night. Natalie sat there listening to music looking at the others sleeping peacefully. She got up and moved to one of the chairs in the front of the bus. Kevin woke up as she stood up. He watched her leave and then got up himself. He saw her staring out the window. “So,” He said sitting down in the chair next to her, “You must have had an interesting night.”

Natalie wondered what he meant by that. She could feel herself starting to blush. “No crazier than the rest of this week.” She answered.

Kevin smiled impressed at the way she avoided the unasked question. “We had walked quite a ways up the beach last night. Got caught in the storm.” Natalie explained.

“Well that explains a lot.” Kevin said, “But it doesn’t explain why you seem so upset.” He continued.

Natalie forced a smile. “I’m not upset.” She said.

Kevin didn’t believe her. “Was it something Brian did?”

Natalie sighed realizing that Kevin wasn’t just going to let it go. “No. Brian didn’t do anything wrong.”

She looked out the window again and under her breath she barely whispered, “It was quite the opposite.”

Natalie didn’t think she had said that out loud. She didn’t realize that Kevin had heard her. He smiled. “So what do you think of Brain?” he asked.

Natalie was surprised by the question. She wasn’t sure what to say. She smiled nervously. “Do you like him?” Kevin continued.

“What’s not to like?” Natalie replied, “He’s an amazing guy. You all are.”

“That’s not what I mean.” Kevin said.

“What do you mean?” Natalie asked hoping he wouldn’t really ask.

“You know what I’m talking about, Brian. You and Brian?”

Again, Natalie smiled nervously. “I only ask because I’ve never seen Brian like this before.”

“Like what?” Natalie asked confused.

Kevin smiled, “It’s hard to explain,” he said, “But I’m pretty sure it’s because of you.”

Natalie tried to hide the smile on her face. She didn’t respond. She looked out the window to avoid making eye contact. “So, is there something there?” Kevin asked again.

The smile faded from Natalie’s face, “Even if there is, I don’t see the point.”

Kevin looked confused. Natalie smiled and said, “We’re from two different worlds, and I go back to mine tomorrow. End of story.”

“It doesn’t have to be that way.” Kevin said. “Avery and Nick seem to think it will work.”

Natalie turned away from the window and gave Kevin a challenging look. “And how long does that last? A phone call here and there? A visit a few times a year when you can find the time? Who wants that? I think it’s great that they’ve had such a fun time this week, but they’re just kidding themselves. It’ll never work out.”

Just then James turned around in his seat. He had been sitting in the chair right in front of her. “Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!” he said startling Natalie “You know it’s worked for Kevin for like two years now.”

“I see her a lot more than a couple times a year.”

“Sometimes Kristen even comes along for the ride.” James said.

“Look I appreciate what you guys are trying to do.” Natalie said, “But even if Brian had expressed any interest in trying to make something work, which he hasn’t, I’m not interested. It would be just like Paul all over again.”

“Paul?” James asked.

“The ex-boyfriend?” Kevin asked.

“He was never my boyfriend.”

James and Kevin looked at each other confused. Natalie sighed. “I was in love with someone I could never really have. I recently had to watch him fall in love and get married to someone else. It broke my heart and I am not going to let that happen again. It would be the same thing with Brian. I could never really be with him. I’m not going to sit around waiting for him to call and tell me he’s found someone he can be with all the time. I’m sorry you guys but I just don’t want to be hurt again.”

Natalie stopped horrified. Kevin and James looked up to see Brian standing there staring at them. Everyone waited for him to say something but he didn’t. Natalie sat there frozen. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath and stared out the window again. She didn’t say a word. Her eyes welled up with tears. Kevin and James both felt really bad. They smiled nervously at Brian. “Hey.” James said.

Brian glared at Kevin angrily. Kevin got up without saying a word and gestured for James to follow him. Kevin and James went to the back of the bus leaving them alone. “I’m sorry about that. Kevin’s always trying to play matchmaker for the rest of us.” Brian said.

“How long were you standing there?” Natalie asked keeping her eyes focused on the road.

Brian smiled. “Long enough.”

Natalie wiped her eyes. “May I?” Brian asked.

Natalie looked up to see Brian pointing at the chair next to her. She shrugged and Brian sat down. “I’m sorry.” Natalie began, “I-

“You don’t have to explain.” Brian said. “I understand. In fact that’s exactly what happened with Linda and I. Except I was the one receiving the phone call. I had been gone with the guys for about 5 months. We were trying to get the band going. We were working hard. I saw her a couple of times and we talked on the phone all the time, but I got so busy I never even saw it coming.”

“What happened?”

“It was her birthday so called to sing happy birthday.”

“You sang to her?” Natalie said dreamily. She smiled imagining the moment. “I think I would die if you called just to sing to me.”

Brian laughed and Natalie blushed embarrassed. “I guess Linda didn’t feel the same way. She said thank you and then asked me to stop calling her.”

“Just like that?”

“Just like that.” Brian sighed. “She was my girlfriend for three years and she just said. ‘Brian please stop calling me.’”

Natalie’s mouth dropped open. “No wonder Laura gets so mad.” Natalie said.

“What?” Brian asked.

“Nothing.” Natalie said shaking her head. Brian gave her a weird look.

“I think you win.” Natalie said, “Your story’s worse than mine. I totally understand why you’ve stayed single all these years.”

Brian picked up Natalie’s hand. “Then you understand why last night was a really big deal for me.”

Natalie looked down at him holding her hand. She became really nervous again. Brian sighed, “Look, I understand if you don’t want to get involved with me, but I just want you to know that I’ve never met anyone like you before. Even Linda never made me feel this way and I don’t want you to leave without knowing how I feel.”

Natalie smiled. Brian was still holding her hand. She put her other hand on top of his but she still said nothing. “The fact is,” Brian went on, “No matter what happens in the next two days, no matter how we leave things between us, when you leave I’m gonna miss you. Even if it’s only as friends, I’ll still want to call you all the time. And, I’m still going to want to come see you whenever I can. And especially if we’re just friends, I will still wait for that phone call when you tell me that you have found the love of your life. And no matter what, it’s gonna break my heart.”

Natalie couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She suddenly became so confused. Minutes ago she was sure that she should not get involved with him and now she was ready to marry him. The tears returned to her eyes. She stared down at Brian’s hand afraid to look at him. Brian waited patiently while Natalie sorted the million thoughts in her head. After a few minutes of silence, Natalie looked him in the eyes. He seemed so sincere and a little scared. She was still very confused. She knew she wanted him but was still convinced it would only lead to heartbreak. Finally she smiled and said, “My birthday’s March 5th. You know, in case you’re in a singing mood.”

Brian was a little disappointed with her response. He forced a smile not knowing quite what he expected, but still relieved that she didn’t just reject him. He thought it best to leave it alone for now so he didn’t say anything more. He just sat there and his eyes drifted toward the window. Natalie was relieved and without saying anything else she turned her attention back to the window as well. She held his hand tightly in hers. Brian glanced down and smiled. Soon enough they were both asleep.

Howie, who had been sleeping this whole time in one of the bunks, walked toward the front of the bus. He saw Brian and Natalie asleep in their chairs. Their heads were resting on each other and they were still holding hands. He was surprised to see it. He went to the back of the bus where everyone else was awake, grabbed his video camera and went back up front. Everyone was curious what he was up to and they followed him. Kevin and James looked relieved. Everyone else just smiled at how cute they looked. Avery took a picture. The flash of the camera made them stir and everyone dove behind seats. When the coast was clear everyone went to the back of the bus. “Thank goodness.” Kevin said when they all sat down.

“It’s about time.” Howie added and they all laughed.
Chapter 16 by honey
Chapter 16.

The bus came to a stop. Avery looked out the windows excited to see sunshine. “What a cute place!” She said looking at the quaint little street mall.

“That’s the Backstreet market.” Nick said.

“Backstreet as in Backstreet Boys?”

“Yeah. That’s where we got the name.” Kevin said.

“Cool.” Avery said. “What are we doing here?”

“This is where we’re going to spend the rest of the day.” James said. “We’re going to film the last scene here. I was able to reserve a portion of it for the day. Looks like they’ve already got it blocked off.”

“What’s the crowd situation?” Kevin asked.

“Well no one knows it’s you yet, but I had an extra security team show up just in case. I was hoping to avoid shooting in a public place but my options were limited on such short notice.”

“Oh well.” AJ sighed.

“This ought to be a fun day.” Howie said.

Avery was confused because all the guys seemed to be unhappy. “Don’t everyone get excited at once.” She said.

They all looked at her. AJ smiled and explained what days shooting in public were usually like; all the people staring and the adoring fans. Things were a lot easier and relaxed when they were in a private location. Avery became nervous about having even more people watching her. She was soon looking forward to the day as much as the rest of them. Just then a security guard boarded the bus waking up Brian and Natalie. He talked to James for a minute. “OK.” James said getting the attention of everyone on the bus. “Nobody knows you’re here yet. There’s a tent set up for you guys. I’m going to have security escort Natalie and Avery over near the cameras. If we make enough fuss over them, nobody will notice you guys if you wait five minutes before getting off. When you do, head straight for the tent and we may not gather a crowd for a while.”

“Sounds good to me.” Howie said.

Everyone agreed on the plan. Avery and Natalie were escorted off the bus and over to a couple of chairs. They each had a bodyguard and as soon as they sat down a woman brought them both drinks. James smiled and said, “Mountain Dew, right?”

Natalie and Avery laughed. They felt really strange being treated like movie stars. They looked around and noticed a few people stop and stare. They would point in the girls’ direction with puzzled looks watch for a minute and then keep walking. “Could you imagine having people stare at you all the time?” Natalie said.

Avery shook her head. Steve came up to them with his camera. “Good morning!” He said very cheerfully. “This seems like a great time to get another interview. Would you mind?”

Natalie and Avery shook their heads. They sat there talking to the camera with people watching and wondering what was going on. After they were done talking to Steve they decided to go see what the guys were up to. The plan had worked because nobody knew that the boys were there. Natalie and Avery didn’t even notice them get off the bus. They were about to walk across the set to the tent when a strange guy came up to them and said hello. They talked for a while but pretty soon the girls were so annoyed with him. This guy was so stupid; it was literally like talking to a doorknob. He was so annoying. Avery left to go find Nick but Natalie was stuck talking to him. When Avery went in the tent she sat down with Nick. Everyone was just hanging out. Kevin was on the phone with his girlfriend. Howie and AJ were playing with a deck of cards and Brian was reading. Nick asked Avery where she had been. She told him about the annoying guy and how Natalie was stuck talking to him. “That guy is so annoying!” She was saying. “I feel bad I just left her with him but I couldn’t take it anymore. Someone should go save her.”

“How are we supposed to do that?”

“In my experience, the best way to get rid of a guy like that is to have your boyfriend show up.”

Nick looked at Avery confused. “But she doesn’t have a boyfriend.” He said not understanding what she was suggesting.

“That’s why one of you needs go out there and pretend to be.”

Avery now had Brian and James’s attention as well. “You’ve actually done that before?” James asked curiously.

“All the time.” Avery said. “Or, if we don’t have a guy with us, we just pretend to be gay.”

AJ stopped with his card game and looked up interested. “What?” he asked.

Avery laughed. “I’m just kidding. That doesn’t work. It usually just makes guys more interested.”

AJ looked disappointed. “But the boyfriend thing works every time.” Avery continued.

James looked at Avery and smiled. “Avery, you’ve inspired me!”

Avery watched curiously as James disappeared from the tent. “What was that about?” she asked confused.

She looked out the door of the tent. James had walked up to Natalie and the annoying guy and he had put his arm around her. Avery watched almost bursting into laughter. “I think he’s actually doing it.” She said.

Nick, AJ and Brian peeked out the door to see what was going on. They stared as James Kissed Natalie on the cheek and walked away with her. They headed back to the tent and the annoying guy walked in the direction of the make-up trailer. Natalie noticed the weird looks as she entered the tent. She looked at Avery, “Where’s Josh when you need him?” She said.

“Who’s Josh?” Nick asked.

“A friend of ours who usually helps us out of situations like that.”

“Did you really just tell that guy you were her boyfriend?” Brain asked James.

Natalie laughed and looked at Avery. “I was working on it.” Avery said.

James smiled, “No. I just told him he needed to get into make-up. Figured he could bug Laura for a while.”

“What was all that about being inspired then?” Avery asked.

“I’ve decided to use it in the next scene. I was having a problem thinking of exactly how we would get Natalie and Brian in a romantic situation and now I know.”

Everyone looked at each other and waited for the explanation. James smiled. “You’ll see what I mean.” He said and left the tent.

After a while everything was ready to go. Natalie got to wear jeans while Avery was dressed in a little skirt. “Why does she get to wear jeans?” Avery asked James.

“Because she’s supposed to be one of the guys.” James explained.

“What are we doing in this scene anyway?” Natalie asked.

“Well,” James said taking a seat between them. “You guys will be in that store shopping while the guys will be sitting at that café. Avery holds up a dress for you to try on. You don’t want to but Avery makes you do it. You come out to show her. Brian sees you from across the way, but so does the annoying guy. He hits on you. You go back to change your clothes. You and Avery walk over to the café but the guy follows you. He tries again. Avery cuddles up with Nick and the guy smiles at you. You panic and then smile. Then, you pretend Brian is your boyfriend. The guy sees that Brian is surprised and doesn’t believe you but you convince him and he leaves disappointed. When he’s gone you all laugh and you say thank you to Brian who is totally distracted.”

Natalie and Avery laughed. It all sounded a little familiar. “I see what you mean by inspiration.” Avery said.

“Think you can do it?” James asked.

“Are you kidding? We’re pro’s a this.” Avery laughed.

“It should be fun.” Natalie said.

“Great. Let’s make it happen!” James said and then yelled directions into his megaphone.

Everyone got in their places and the camera’s rolled. After a few takes it was time for Natalie to try on the dress. She really did look cute. All of the guys were impressed. That’s when the annoying guy showed up. This guy was so annoying! The girls didn’t have to act at all. It took a couple of tries but then they were ready for Natalie and Avery to join the guys at the café.

By this time quite a crowd had gathered around the edges of the set. Natalie and Avery watched all the girls who were there to get a glimpse of the Backstreet Boys. It made them remember how crazy it was that they were actually doing this. “Just think.” Natalie said to Avery looking at a girl holding up a sign that said I love AJ. “That should be us.”

“I know.” Avery said smiling.

“It’s crazy.” Natalie said.

AJ walked past and heard her say that. “This isn’t bad at all.” He said looking at the crowd. “There would be girls from all over the south here if they knew we were coming.”

“Well I’m glad they didn’t.” Avery said shooting a dirty look at some girl who was staring at her.

“Yeah. It’s kind of creepy.” Natalie added.

AJ laughed. “I thought all girls loved attention.” He said.

“We do.” Natalie replied, “Just not this kind.”

Just then everything was ready for the next scene. Everyone took their places. Natalie and Avery walked over to the guys and the annoying guy followed them. Avery sat down in the chair next to Nick and he put his arm around her. James made them do it again. “I need more you guys. Lovey-dovey remember?” he explained.

They tried it again and this time Avery kissed him as she sat down. When she kissed him all the fans watching went crazy. The screaming startled Avery and they had to do it again. After a few tries she was finally able to do it without reacting to the fans and they were able to go on. They started again with the annoying guy smiling at Natalie. Without warning he scooted right up next to her. Natalie was really creeped out. She really did panic. When she didn’t look at Brian they had to do it again. There was no way Natalie was going to forget that again. She wanted to get it right so that this guy could go away. They did it again and the guy made his move. This time the annoying guy put his hand on her arm. She wanted to puke but she kept her cool. She forced a smile and then stood behind Brian putting her arms around him. The annoying guy was actually a pretty good actor. (That or he was just so creepy he didn’t have to act.) Anyway, he pretended not to buy it very well. They didn’t have to stop at all so now it was up to Natalie to convince him. Just like James had instructed her earlier, she nudged Brian and he looked up at the guy and nodded his head. They guy gave them one last skeptical look and then started to walk away. “CUT! CUT! CUT!” James yelled frustrated.

“That didn’t work at all like I was hoping. You guys did great, but I need more. I need Brian to be more surprised by Natalie. Instead of walking behind him, try sitting in his lap.”

They did it all again and when annoying guy hit on Natalie, she panicked, smiled and then plopped down in Brian’s lap putting her arm around him. The guy looked unconvinced and Natalie nudged Brian. He nodded. “Cut!” James said again.

Everyone waited for direction but James just stood there thinking. “Something’s still missing.” He said and thought about it some more.

Finally he looked at the girls and said, “What was that guy’s name?”

“What guy?” Avery asked.

“The one you were talking about earlier. The one who usually helps you.”

“Josh?” Natalie said.

“That’s the one, Josh. If you were really in this situation and there was really some guy that just wouldn’t leave you alone?” James said almost thinking out loud.

Natalie and Avery laughed remembering something funny. They guys looked at them not sure what they were missing. James was intrigued. “I want you to do exactly what you would do if Josh were sitting there instead of Brian.”

Natalie and Avery exchanged looks. “Just pretend it’s all real. Be the characters! This guy is really annoying you. You just want him to leave. What would you do?” James continued. Natalie looked at Brian and then at James. Then she looked back at Avery with a curious look on her face. There was a hint of a smile on Avery’s face. She shrugged at Natalie. “All right.” She said and smiled at James. “Let’s try it again.”

The guys all looked at the girls curiously. The girls smiled at each other and they tried it again. Natalie plopped down into Brian’s lap just as she did before, but this time when the guy looked at her unconvinced she planted a big fat kiss on Brian’s lips! Brian was shocked. So was everyone else! The crew, the other guys. AJ’s mouth actually fell open. Brian stared at Natalie as she looked at the annoying guy and shrugged. Even he was a little surprised but he was able to stay in character and he walked off. Natalie looked back at the group and smiled. Everyone stared at her. Avery laughed and then the rest of the guys burst into laughter. Natalie looked at Brian and smiled. He just continued to stare at her. She said thanks and then started laughing again. “Cut!” James yelled excitedly.

Natalie looked at James and smiled. “That’s always worked in the past.” She teased.

“You brilliant girl!” He laughed. He ran up to her and kissed her on the cheek.

“You knew she was going to do that, didn’t you?” James asked Avery.

She smiled. “I told you we were pros.”

“How many times have you done this?” Nick asked.

Natalie and Avery looked at each other and laughed. “You don’t want to know.” Natalie said.

“That’s a wrap everyone!” James yelled into his megaphone.

“So we’re done now?” Avery asked.

“You are.” James said. “But I still need Natalie and Brian.”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other confused. Natalie looked at Brian who squirmed nervously in his chair. “What do you need us for?” Natalie asked.

James smiled. “The final scene. The end of the video.”

“What’s that?” Natalie asked.

All the guys exchanged looks. “The scene where he gets the girl.” James said.

Natalie looked at Brian. He looked nervous. She started to get nervous herself. “Oh.” She said.
Chapter 17 by honey
Chapter 17.

As the crew packed up all the equipment the boys decided to sign a few autographs for the group of fans that had gathered. Natalie and Avery were amused by the way the guys acted when they were dealing with their fans. It was like they flipped a switch and went into Backstreet Boy mode or something. They were so professional yet you could tell they really were thankful for their fans. They smiled and hugged and posed for pictures and signed autographs. Natalie and Avery sat there talking about how cute it was when one of the girls asked them for their autographs. Natalie and Avery exchanged weird looks and tried not to laugh. They both signed a poster the girl had of the Backstreet Boys. Natalie signed under Brian’s picture and Avery under Nicks with little hearts around him. The girl smiled, said thank you and then told Avery how lucky she was that she got to kiss Nick. “Is he a good kisser?” she asked.

Nick heard the girl ask and smiled when Avery didn’t know what to say. He came over to them and said, “I don’t know about me, but she is an excellent kisser.”

Avery and the girl both blushed. Nick signed her poster and Avery said, “He’s pretty good.”

The girl smiled. “Pretty good? Just pretty good?” Nick said.

Avery shrugged. She didn’t know what to say to some strange girl. Nick grabbed Avery and said, “I know I can do better than pretty good!”

He dipped her backwards planting a long passionate kiss on her. All the fans went nuts when they saw him. The girl they were talking to almost hyperventilated. AJ came up to them and pulled Nick off of Avery. “That’s enough Nick. We don’t want to have to call an ambulance now do we?”

Nick laughed and Avery blushed. She looked at the girl and said, “Ok, he’s a really good kisser.”

Nick gave her a challenging look. She looked at him and said, “Great?”

He still wasn’t satisfied. She rolled her eyes, turned to the girl and sarcastically said, “Best Kisser in the whole world. Makes you feel like your heart is exploding, nothing will ever come close to it. Ever.”

Natalie laughed. Avery looked back at Nick who smiled satisfied, “Was that so hard?” he laughed.

The guys waved goodbye and everyone got on the bus. They drove to the hotel where they were staying for the night. It was so big and nice. When they pulled up, James stood up and said thank you to all the guys. “Except for Natalie and Brian you are all free to go. Since it’s the girls last day in town, take the night off. You’ve earned it!”

The guys all cheered and the girls were impressed at how fast everyone disappeared. Natalie, Avery, Brian and Nick sat on the bus waiting while James said goodbye to Kevin, AJ and Howie. He looked at Nick and Avery, “Are you guys going to come with us?” he asked.

“You don’t have to.” Natalie said to Avery.

“Go and play. Make Nick show you around the city.”

Avery looked at Nick. They smiled at each other and then left. “Call us when you’re done.” Nick said to Brian as he stepped off the bus.

Then it was just Natalie Brian and James left on the bus. James’s phone rang. “Perfect.” He said and hung up the phone. He looked at Natalie and Brian and said, “Why don’t you guys go ahead and check in get your stuff to your rooms and then meet me in the lobby in like 20 minutes.”

Twenty minutes later Natalie and Brian met in the lobby. “So do you know what we’re doing?” Natalie asked him.

Brian shook his head. “Everything’s different now because we had to come into town. I don’t know what James has planned.”

James found them and he showed them to a small banquet room that opened to the outside. Laura and George were waiting to get them into make-up. Brian smiled at Laura and said, “You should put her in that little dress she tried on earlier.”

Laura held up a sweat suit. Brian shrugged. “Or that.” He said disappointed.

Natalie gave Brian a weird look and he shrugged. “What? It looked great on you.”

Laura laughed, “Been spending time with AJ again?” she said teasingly.

“Not that I want to wear the dress, but who am I supposed to be, the poster child for Nike?”

“James said work out clothes.”

“And a pony tail.” George said frowning. “Pity. Hair like yours should never be thrown back.”

“I like pig tails.” Natalie suggested.

“I can do that.” George replied spinning his chair around. Natalie hopped in.

When both Natalie and Brian were dressed and ready to go, James walked in “Hurry, hurry, hurry!” he said, “I want the sunset.”

“They’re all yours.” George said.

James took them outside to a basketball court. Natalie frowned. “What is it with you and making me play basketball?”

James smiled. “You did so well last time.”

Brian laughed. “Thanks.” Natalie said sarcastically.

“It’s not that bad. You don’t even have to shoot this time.”

Natalie waited for the bad news but there didn’t seem to be any. “You play a little one on one for a minute. Brian takes the shot but misses. You get confused because he’s somewhere else in his mind. You’ll sit down on the bench grab a drink from your water bottle. Brian misses again. You offer him some water. He sits don next to you, takes the water bottle, you bend down to change your shoes. …” James stopped there.

“And then?” Natalie asked.

“And then that’s it. No more playing basketball.”

“But what happens after that?” Brian asked.

James shot him a look. He smiled nervously at Natalie who was waiting for him to answer the question. She had a feeling she knew what was coming. “Then,” James said hesitantly, “You kiss.”

He waited for a response but Natalie just looked at him. “It shouldn’t be that difficult. You did it earlier.” James said, “This is the same thing.”

“It’s totally different.” Natalie said starting to get nervous. “That was like a quick little kiss. Just playing around it was funny. No pressure.”

“There’s still no pressure. And, there will be a lot less people there.”

“All that build up and he just kisses her? Seems a little anti-climactic.” Brian said not helping the situation. James glared at him again.

“Well there’s a little more too it than that, obviously. As she’s changing her shoes, she notices you staring at her and recognizes the look in your eyes. She realizes you love her. There’s defiantly going to have to be some kind of moment and you don’t just kiss her, she kisses you back.”

George sighed. “It’s true love’s first kiss.” He said, “It has to be scary and exciting and passionate and romantic!”

Natalie turned pale and pointed at George. It took a minute for the words to escape her mouth. “That’s what I’m talking about.” She said stuttering over the words. “I can’t do that. Not an actress, remember?”

James hugged her, “I have faith in you.” He said and walked away.

She looked at Brian who smiled awkwardly. “It won’t bad. You’ll see.” Laura said.
“I think I’m gonna be sick.” Natalie said.

Natalie didn’t actually throw up, but her stomach was in knots. She was so nervous. She didn’t know exactly why. After all, she had kissed him before. And, she wanted to do it again. She just wasn’t sure that kissing him like that again wouldn’t break her heart. Seeing how nervous she was made Brian feel nervous too. James decided to just get the basketball part out of the way and give them a break after that to try and calm down. This time the basketball parts seemed to be over too quickly and the break James gave them didn’t help at all. Steve kept asking Natalie questions for his documentary. Was she nervous? Did she ever think she would be going through this? He was not helping. All the questions were making it worse. Finally James yelled, “Places!”

Natalie and Brian sat down on the bench. Neither said a word. Natalie was so nervous she was actually shaking. James shook his head, “Natalie you can’t look quite so scared honey. Why don’t you guys practice it once first.”

Natalie looked at James and then back to Brian. “It’s just a kiss.” She thought.

She took one last calming breath and then kissed him. She tried her best to think about the cameras and the people watching. She wanted to remember that they were only acting. She felt a lot better. “Good. Now let’s try it for real.” James said.

After five or six takes, James stopped them and said, “I need more passion.”

Natalie and Brian looked at him confused. He bent down next to Brian and looked at Natalie. “Look at her,” he said to Brian. “Think about the words to the song. Be the character.”

Brian looked at Natalie. James continued his speech. “You have been waiting for this for so long. You want it. You need it.”

Natalie could feel herself blushing and looked down. Brian stared nervously at her listening to James. James lifted Natalie’s chin up forcing her to look at Brian. “She’s the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen.” James whispered in Brian’s ear, “You’ve just realized that you love her. Show her how much you love her.” James quietly backed away from them. “And don’t stop kissing her until I say cut.”

James stepped back by the cameras. Brian stared into Natalie’s eyes with such concentration that Natalie wasn’t even sure he was seeing her. He seemed to be somewhere else. Lost in his thoughts. Natalie took a slow deep breath and waited for James to say action. She looked at Brian as he stared into her eyes. He smiled. He was so beautiful that Natalie couldn’t help but smile back. “You really are beautiful.” He said.

Natalie smiled nervously. “It’s just a kiss!” she repeated in her mind.

“Remember, don’t stop kissing until I say cut!” James said one more time and then yelled, “Action!”

Brian smiled again and slowly moved in closer. Something felt different to Natalie this time. It was just like the other night when he kissed her. His lips touched hers and she trembled. She started to pull away but Brian reached up brushing his fingers against her cheek and kissed her again. She forgot about everything and everyone around her and gave in to his touch. Natalie could feel her heart flutter and she knew there was no stopping what she was feeling. With a single kiss Brian had stolen her heart forever. The kiss was so passionate that even James got caught up in the moment. Finally he said, “Cut.”

His voice startled Natalie bringing her back to reality. Brian pulled away still looking at her. She nervously turned to James. “That was the one.” He said in awe. “That’s a wrap.”

He came up to Natalie and threw his arms around her. “That was absolutely perfect! He said. “You are most defiantly an actress. If you ever feel like doing it again, you just call me. I would love to work with you again.”

Natalie blushed. “I don’t know about that.” She said.

“Well, you were brilliant anyway.” He said a little disappointed. “We should celebrate. Why don’t we get everyone together for dinner tonight? Get all dressed up and go to the nicest place in town.”

“That sounds nice.” Brian said. “I’ll call the guys.”

“I’ll make the reservations.” James said and ran off.

Brian smiled at Natalie. “It’ll give you a chance to wear that dress.”

“I want to do her hair!” George said jumping up and down excitedly.
Chapter 18 by honey
Chapter 18.

Avery, Nick and Natalie stood in the hotel lobby all dressed up like they were going to the prom. Natalie looked around nervously and Avery tugged at her dress. “Tugging at it’s not going to turn it into pants.” Natalie said to Avery.

“I feel like an idiot.” Avery whined.

“You look amazing.” Nick said and Avery stopped fidgeting.

Kevin walked up to them with a beautiful woman on his arm. He introduced her as his girlfriend Kristen. Soon Howie and AJ were there. They had both managed to find dates as well. By the time everyone was introduced to each other, Brian, James George and Laura had showed up. Laura had brought her fiancée. “Heard a lot about you.” Natalie said excited to meet him.

Brian smiled at Natalie and she looked away blushing. Everyone piled into a limo and they went to the swankiest restaurant in town. Natalie and Avery felt so out of place at first but the boys made them feel right at home. They all enjoyed a wonderful dinner and when they were done they went back to the hotel. “So what time are you guys leaving in the morning?” Kevin asked.

They hadn’t really thought about it. “I don’t know. Depends on how late we stay up tonight.” Natalie said. We’re going to split up the drive anyway so we can get a late start if we need too.”

“Good.” Nick said. “I hate the thought of you girls driving all that way by yourselves. Why did you drive anyway?”

Avery smiled. “We were gonna fly but the road trip is half the fun of the vacation.”
“We had a blast on the way here.” Natalie added.

“Well don’t you dare leave without saying goodbye.” Kevin said.

“We promise.” The girls said in unison.

Eventually everyone went their separate ways. It came down to Natalie, Avery, Nick and Brian sitting on a couch in the hotel lobby. “I know this was supposed to be a girl bonding vacation and all,” Nick said, “But it’s your last night here and you guys get to see each other all the time. Would you care if I steal Avery for the rest of the night?”

Natalie smiled, “Go. Have fun. Just have her back here by check out tomorrow.”

“Deal.” Nick said and jumped up off the sofa.

He grabbed Avery’s hand and they were gone before Natalie could say goodbye. She laughed watching them run out the door and then realized she was now alone with Brian. She sat there not saying anything. Finally when Brian couldn’t take the silence anymore he said, “Have you been avoiding me tonight?”

“I sat next to you at dinner.” Natalie answered.

“But you hardly said two words all night.”

Natalie shrugged. “I’m just tired.”

“You won’t even look at me.” Brian said.

Natalie could hear the desperation in his voice. She turned her head away. “Will you at least go for a walk with me? I want to show you something.”

Brian stood up and held his hand out to her. “Please?” He said.

Natalie looked at his hand and then she looked at him. His eyes seemed to be pleading. Slowly she took his hand and he helped her up. He offered her his arm and she took it hesitantly. They left the hotel without saying a word.

By the time they walked out the door, Nick and Avery were long gone. They had jumped in a taxi and were headed across town. “Where are we going?” Avery asked.

“It’s a surprise.” Nick said spouting an address to the cab driver.

After about 15 minutes, they arrived at Nick’s house. “It’s beautiful!” Avery said stepping out of the car.

“I didn’t need a house quite so big but I had to have one right on the water.”

Nick took Avery inside and showed her around. The place was so big and nice. It was so clean. It almost seemed like no one lived there. Like it was just for show. “Do you live here by yourself?” Avery asked.

“Yeah. I moved out when I was 18. Needed to get away from my parents. But my brothers and sisters come stay with me sometimes. I like having my own place. It’s quiet and I can do whatever I want.”

“I wish I had my own place. My parents drive me nuts!”

Nick smiled. “It’s their job.”

He opened a door to a bedroom. “Anytime you need to get away for a while. You can always come here. This can be your room.”

“Where’s yours?”

Nick led Avery down the hall to his room. Avery was relieved to see it kind of messy. It had posters on the walls, and all kinds of CD, DVD’s and video games spread out everywhere. It seemed like a totally normal room of an average teenage boy. Avery liked it. She smiled.

“This is it?” Nick said. “This is where I live. When I’m here, that is. We’re always on the road so much sometimes it kinda feels like another hotel. That’s why I keep my room a little messy. I don’t let the maid clean it. That way I feel like it’s home. So now you’ve seen where I live, what do you want to do tonight?”

Avery shrugged. I don’t know. I’ve never been here before. What do you like to do when you’re here?”

Nick smiled. “There is this one place that’s really fun.”

Nick took Avery out to the garage. She was surprised to see a dark green GT Mustang convertible. It even had tan leather interior. Avery hopped in excitedly and Nick put the top down. He drove her through the city until they came to a really big park. In the middle of the park there was a roller rink. “In the winter they ice it over and let you ice skate on it.” Nick explained.

“I don’t know how to roller skate.” Avery said.

Nick took her hand and dragged her in the direction of the rental shack. “Neither do I.” He replied.

Avery made her way onto the rink holding onto the rail for dear life. Nick followed close behind. “You know we have to try letting go.” He teased.

He held out his hand and Avery took it, slowly letting go of the rail. They were skating- kinda. They slowly made their way around the outside of the rink being passed up by all the other skaters. A girl came up behind them almost running into them. She couldn’t have been more than 12. “Get out of the way, jerks!” She yelled.

The girl skated around them bumping into Nick as she passed. Nick lost his balance and fell pulling Avery down with him. The girl looked back at them now skating backwards. “Pathetic.” She said laughing and she skated away.

Avery was so angry. “I go on vacation and I still have to put up with soiled brats!” she yelled.

Nick and Avery pulled themselves up. They couldn’t believe how rude the little girl was. Avery wanted to go and beat her up but Nick had twisted his ankle pretty bad so instead she helped her boyfriend off the rink. They sat down on a nearby bench and Nick slowly took off his skate. His ankle was already starting to swell. “Well there goes that idea.” Nick said.

The girl who had pushed him skated past slowly watching them. She had recognized him. She did one more lap around the rink and then came up to them. “You’re Nick Carter!” she said.

“Beat it punk!” Avery said furious.

Nick tried not to laugh. “It’s OK Avery. Let’s try and be nice.” He said.

“Look what she did to you!” Avery protested.

“Giver her a break she’s only 10.”

“I’m 12 and a half.” The girl said offended,

Nick smiled and Avery glared at her. “I’m sorry I bumped into you.” The girl said.

“You mean pushed him!” Avery said.

The girl glared at Avery who glared right back.

“I’m a really big fan.” The girl said to Nick. “Could I get your autograph?”

Avery couldn’t believe the girl had the nerve to ask him for an autograph. Nick smiled. “I need a pen.” He said calmly.

The girl ran off to find a pen. Nick rubbed his ankle. Avery was so impressed that he would happily sign an autograph for someone who had been so rude to him. It really made Avery love him even more. “Why?” Avery asked him.

He just smiled at her and the girl came running back. She handed him a pen and a copy of BOP magazine. His picture was on the cover. Nick took the magazine. “What’s your name?” he asked.

“Maria.” The girl replied.

“Do you always carry that around with you?” Avery asked.

The girl glared at Avery. “I just bought it this afternoon.” She said.

Avery looked down at what Nick had written and smiled. It said, “To Maria. Thanks for the broken ankle. Try to work on your manners. Love Nick Carter. PS. you’re a great skater.” The girl frowned at first reading it but then smiled really big. “Thank You so much!” she said.

Avery and Nick looked at each other and laughed as the girl ran off to show her mom. Avery looked down at Nick’s ankle. It was black and blue. “We should take you to get that looked at.” She said.

“And spend our last night together in the hospital? No way.”

Avery looked at him skeptically. “I’ll be fine.” Nick reassured her. “I’ll get it looked at tomorrow. I promise.”

Avery was satisfied with that answer. She really didn’t want to spend the night in the hospital either. Nick sighed. “So what now?” Avery asked.

“Let’s start by getting me back to the car. Then we can go back to my house and watch a movie or something while I put some ice on this thing.”

Nick flung his arm over Avery’s shoulder and they hobbled through the park in the direction of his car. The park was very pretty. They passed a very large, well-lit fountain and Nick sat on the waters edge to take a break. “I don’t remember parking so far away.” He said looking up the path.

They laughed and Avery sat down next to him. They sat for a few minutes. Nick’s ankle was throbbing. They decided to head back. As they stood up Avery’s earring got caught in her hair and fell to the ground. Nick saw it fall and bent down slowly to pick it up. Once he was on one knee he had trouble standing back up. He held up the earring and Avery took it. She grabbed his hand to help Nick up and just then there was a really bright flash. Avery jumped startled. She lost her balance and fell backward into the fountain with a huge splash. Nick hobbled to his feet and there was another bright flash. Nick helped Avery out of the fountain. Again. Another flash. They looked around but couldn’t see where it was coming from. “Let’s get out of here.” Nick said.

Nick threw his arm back around Avery’s shoulder and they hurried as fast as they could back to Nick’s car. By the time they reached it, Nick was wet where he had been leaning on Avery. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his keys. He opened the driver side door and then handed the keys to Avery. “I think you’re going to have to drive.” He said.

Avery smiled very excited at the thought of driving the Mustang. She helped Nick around to the passenger side and then drove off. “Are you sure you don’t need to have that looked at?”

“I’ll be fine.” Nick said, “But instead of going to my house, why don’t we just go to your hotel so you can get out of those wet clothes.”

Avery gave Nick a weird look. “And put on some dry ones of coarse.” He said.

Avery headed the Mustang back to the hotel. When she pulled up into the hotel driveway the valet opened her door for her. She handed him the keys and walked around the car to help Nick out of the car. The bellman noticed that he was hurt and came over to help. “Mr. Carter,” he said, “Do you need some assistance?”

“I’ll be alright he said throwing his arm around Avery, “But I’m gonna need some asprin and a whole lot of ice sent up to Miss Donaldson’s room.”

“Right away Mr. Carter.” The bellman said holding the door for them.

By the time Avery got Nick up to her room there was a bucket of ice, asprin and a bottle of sparkling water waiting inside for them. “What service.” Avery said impressed.
“It helps to be famous.” Nick said.

Nick sat on the bed and propped his ankle up under some pillows. Avery brought him a towel and then changed into something dry. She climbed up onto the bed next to Nick. He was flipping through the channels on the TV. “Five star hotel and you still only get HBO and the weather channel.” He said frowning.

“Find a movie.”

Nick flipped through all the movies. It looks like Mission Impossible 2, Gladiator or Road Trip.”

“Mission Impossible 2” Avery said.

“Oh that’s right. I almost forgot about you and Tom Cruise.” Nick laughed.

They cuddled up together and started the movie. About half way through Avery could feel Nick’s eyes on her. She turned her head to see Nick staring at her. Nick realized he was staring. “Sorry.” He said turning his gaze back to the movie.

It wasn’t minutes after that, that Avery caught Nick staring at her again. She looked at him funny. “I can’t help it.” Nick said to her. “I keep thinking about you leaving tomorrow. I’m really going to miss you.”

Avery smiled and then leaned over and Kissed Nick. “Me too.” She said.

Nick threw his arms around her holding her tight. Avery thought she saw a tear in his eye. His kissed her again and before they knew it, the movie was over. Nick looked at the clock. It was close to midnight. Nick shut off the TV and the room got dark. Avery rested her head against Nick’s chest and fell asleep. She slept there in his arms until morning.
Chapter 19 by honey
Chapter 19.

Avery could feel the light shining through the crack in the curtains when she woke up. She could also feel the warmth of Nick’s body lying next to her. She opened her eyes. She was still wrapped in Nick’s arms like he hadn’t let go of her all night. She grinned from ear to ear. She laid her head back down on his chest and then glanced don at his foot. Her eyes grew big and she sprung up. “Oh my heck!” she said surprised.

Nick opened his eyes. “Avery? What is it? Are you OK?”

“I’m fine. It’s just…” She looked at his ankle again. “Look at your foot!”

Nick sat up and looked at his ankle. His entire ankle was black and blue and it had swelled up so much more through out the night. Nick tried to move his foot but then winced in pain. “Maybe it is broken.” He said.

“What should I do?”

“I don’t know. What time is it?”

Avery looked at the clock. “It’s 10:30.” She replied.

Why don’t you hand me some asprin and a cell phone. “I’ll see if I can get a hold of the guys while you shower and pack up your stuff.”

Avery gave him the painkillers and his phone. She kissed him and then disappeared into the bathroom. Nick dialed Brian first. “Hello?” Brian whispered.

“Hey, did I wake you up?”

“No.”

“What’s with the whispering?”

Nick heard a door shut and then Brian said. “I didn’t want to wake Natalie up.”

“You’re here in the hotel?”

“No. We’re at my place. Are you at the hotel?”

“Yeah.”

“Is Avery awake?”

“Yeah, she’s getting ready to leave.”

“Alright, I’ll wake Natalie up. We’ll come over there.”

“OK. See you soon.”

Nick hung up with Brian and then called the other guys. Everyone decided they were going to meet at the hotel at 11:30 to have one last meal together and say goodbye to the girls. Nick didn’t say anything about his foot to anyone because he didn’t want them forcing him to go to the hospital. He figured that they would take him after the girls had left. Avery came out of the bathroom and threw her wet hair up into a ponytail. “So is someone coming to the rescue?” She asked Nick.

“Everyone’s coming. They’re meeting us downstairs at 11:30. Brunch before you leave.”

“What about your ankle?”

“Later.” Nick shrugged.

Just then there was a knock at Avery’s door. Avery opened the door to see Brian standing there. He looked so tired. “Is Nick in here?” he asked.

“Dude! You look like hell.” Nick said as Brian walked into the room.

“I didn’t really sleep last night. You’re still in bed?” he said changing the subject.

Brian walked over and sat down on the bed. He saw Nick’s foot. “What the! What happened to you?”

“I was attacked by a nine year old.” He said.

“Actually she was 12 and a half.” Avery said mocking the snotty little girl.

Nick laughed at the impression. “I think it might be broken.” He said.

“Didn’t you have it looked at?” Brian asked looking a little pale as he stared at the bruised ankle.

“I tried to make him but he refused to go.” Avery said.

Brian gave Nick a weird look. Nick shrugged. “After the girls leave.” He said, “I just need your help getting down stairs. I can’t walk. It hurts like hell.”

Brian just stood there looking at him like he was crazy. “I’ll go see if the hotel has a wheelchair or something.” He said shaking his head. He laughed to himself on the way out the door.

A few minutes later Avery answered her door to see Natalie standing there with all her bags. “I’m all packed. You?”

Avery nodded. “Just waiting for Brian to come back.” She said.

“Where’d he go?”

Avery pointed at Nick sitting on the bed. “To find a wheelchair.

“Oh my gosh!” Natalie said seeing Nick’s condition. “You’ll have to explain that later.”

“We’ll tell everyone the story over brunch.” Nick said.

Natalie looked at the clock. 11:30 exactly. “Brian better hurry back.”

The minute Natalie said that, there was another knock at Avery’s door. She opened it to see Brian sitting in a wheelchair. He smiled and pushed himself into the room. “These things are kind of fun.” He said as he accidentally bumped into a coffee table.

They helped Nick into the chair and went downstairs to find everyone waiting in the lobby. Kevin, Howie, AJ and James were standing there talking. Natalie and Avery were surprised to see Laura, George and Steve sitting on a couch. They didn’t think everyone would show up. After everyone reacted to Nick’s foot, they decided it was best to have brunch at the hotel. The manager even set up a private table in one of their banquet rooms for them so they wouldn’t be bothered. Everyone sat around the table and listened to Nick and Avery explain their exciting night. After they were finished eating James and Kevin excused themselves from the table. Everyone wondered what they were doing. Steve turned on his camera one more time as Kevin and James came back. They were each carrying big gift bags. Kevin handed one to Avery and James handed Natalie the other. “Open ‘em.” James said excitedly.

“We stayed up all night putting these together.” Kevin added.

Natalie and Avery looked at each other and then began pulling things out of the bags. They laughed as they pulled out bags of gummy bears and cans of mountain dew. “I hope that’s enough to get you home.” Kevin said.

The girls laughed again. Then they pulled out copies of the new album. “Your song is the last track.” James said.

“We brought permanent markers so everyone can sign them if you want.” Kevin said tossing some markers on the table.

Last but not least the girls reached into their bags and pulled out a couple of photo albums. “That’s what took us all night.” James said.

“We developed every picture from everyone’s camera we could find. There is a blank page next to everyone’s pictures so that they can write whatever.”

They girls flipped through the pages of pictures smiling as they remembered all of the week’s events. On the front cover there was a picture of the whole gang. Both Natalie and Avery had tears in there eyes. They didn’t know how to say thank you enough. They passed the picture books around and everyone wrote messages to them. When everything was wrapped up and there was nothing left to do but say goodbye, Kevin stood up. “I guess there’s only one thing left to do.” He said. “We promised you ladies a song before you go.”

Kevin and AJ came around the table and pulled Natalie and Avery’s chairs away from the table and the guys all knelt around them except for Nick who was still in the wheelchair. Nick grabbed Avery’s hand and Brian took Natalie’s. With a few snaps of their fingers, the guys burst into harmony. The girls blushed when they heard the words to “I’ll Never Break Your Heart.” Chills ran through both of them and they were once again both fighting back tears. It was such a beautiful moment and a dream come true for both of them. Both Brian and Nick stared into Natalie and Avery’s eyes as if they truly meant every word. They both seemed so happy and yet so sad. Natalie couldn’t stand it anymore and she closed her eyes taking in every sound. When the serenade was over Nick kissed Avery. Brian wanted to Kiss Natalie but didn’t. Everyone got to their feet and went out to the front of the hotel where Natalie’s car was waiting for them. Their luggage was already in it. Everyone said their goodbyes and then pretended to be busy in an effort to give them some privacy as they said goodbye to Nick and Brian. They went inside but tried their best to peek out the doors to see what was happening. Avery bent down to hug Nick one last time and he was having trouble letting go. They kissed and kissed and kissed again. Nick smiled and said, “I’ll come see you every chance I get.”

“You better.”

Finally Nick opened the car door and Avery climbed into the passenger seat. “I’ll call you later.” He said.

Brian walked Natalie around to the driver’s seat and opened the door. They looked at each other. “Thank you for best week of my life.” She whispered.

She smiled and Brian smiled back. “I meant what I said last night.” he said.

Natalie hugged him. When she pulled away there were tears in Brian’s eyes. She wiped a tear that had rolled down his cheek. He closed his eyes as she touched his face. When he opened his eyes Natalie forced a smile and kissed his cheek and whispered goodbye. She turned to get into her car and Brian grabbed her hand. She looked back and Brian kissed her one last time. Avery thought she heard a scream. She looked up top see everyone staring through the hotel doors. AJ had put his hand over Laura’s mouth. George was crying and Steve was struggling to get a better shot in his camera. Avery smiled and then waved to everyone. They all waved back. Brian finally let go of Natalie and she got in the car. Brian stood there and watched the car drive off. Nick saw Brian wipe the tears from his eyes. “Hey. It’s not goodbye forever.” Nick said.

Brian looked at Nick and they seemed to exchange thoughts without speaking. Brian wheeled Nick back to the curb where everyone was still watching them. “Let’s get that ankle looked at.” Brian said the smile returning to his face.
Chapter 20 by honey
Chapter 20.

Natalie and Avery drove down the highway in silence blankly staring at the road ahead. They were both so depressed to be leaving. They passed the Orlando City Limits sign and both looked at each other. “This sucks!” Avery said.

Natalie nodded “It’s funny how we can feel so bad after having the most amazing week of our lives.”

Avery sighed. “I know. How are we ever supposed to go back to our boring old lives now? I’m gonna have to quit my job now.”

Natalie smiled for the first time since they left. “You’re not gonna quit.” She laughed.
Avery laughed. The girls were almost relieved to be having this conversation again. It was a hint of normalcy. “So,” Avery said, “What did Brian say last night?”

“What?” Natalie asked.

“Brian. He said ‘I meant what I said last night.’ What did he say?”

The smile faded from Natalie’s face. “I should probably start from the beginning.” She said.

Avery nodded ready to hear the story.

Natalie had a long story to tell. Things had happened so fast that she and Avery hadn’t really had a chance to talk since the morning before they left the resort. Natalie started from the conversation with Kevin on the bus and then how Brian told her what had happened between him and Linda. She went on to tell her about filming the last scene. She told Avery about Brian being all cute and playful and how it was driving her nuts because she was so nervous. She tried to describe the kiss between the two of them but just couldn’t seem to find the words. All she could say is that she was going to be hopelessly in love with him for the rest of her life. Avery knew the feeling all too well! “Then you guys left and we were sitting all alone in the hotel lobby. It was so awkward.”
“So what did you do?”

“Well he asked me to go for a walk. Said there was something he wanted to show me…



Flashback
*********************************************************

Brian and Natalie walked out of the hotel and down the street. Natalie stared at her feet as she walked. Brian didn’t let go of her hand. He kept glancing over at her. She could feel his gaze but didn’t look back at him. He wasn’t sure exactly what to say. He didn’t understand why she was so upset. He thought things had been going so well this afternoon. And that kiss! He wanted to talk to her but thought better of it. He decided to wait until she said something first. They crossed a street and entered a park. The same park that Avery and Nick would visit later that evening. They walked past the roller rink. Natalie looked at the skaters and smiled. “Just like Central Park in New York.” She said.
Brain looked at the skaters. “A lot smaller. And no zoo.”

“Bummer.” Natalie replied, “I love the zoo.”

Brian smiled relieved that she was at least talking now. They walked through the park past the large fountain. Brian fumbled through his pocket, fished out a coin, kissed it and then flipped it into the water without saying a word. Natalie watched him intrigued. “It’s a wishing fountain.” Brian said seeing the look on her face.

He handed her a coin. “Want to make a wish?”

Natalie took the coin, thought for a minute and then flipped the coin into the water. “I always make a wish when I pass this fountain. I have ever since I moved here.”

“So how many of your wishes have come true?”

“Just one wish.”

“Only one has come true? I don’t think I like those odds.”

“No I mean I’ve only ever wished one wish.”

“You mean you wish for the same thing every time?”

Brian nodded. “Why?”

“I’m still waiting for my wish to come true.”

Natalie looked at the fountain. “Some wishing fountain.” She said sarcastically. “I guess I won’t hold my breath waiting for my wish to be granted.”

Brian smiled. They continued their walk through the park. They passed a couple making out on a bench. Brian watched them as hey passed. Natalie looked nervously in the other direction. They got quiet again. When they reached the other end of the park they crossed another street. They walked down the street for about another 10 minutes until they came to a high-rise building. Natalie looked up at the building confused. “This is where we’re going?” she asked.

Brian smiled and nodded his head. As they walked up the steps to the front door a man in a uniform held the door open. “Hey Manny.” Brian said.

The man looked at Brian and smiled. He seemed surprised to see Natalie. “Brian! Welcome back. Almost didn’t recognize you with a beautiful woman at your side.”

The man tipped his hat to Natalie. “Thanks.” Brian said pretending to be hurt. “Manny, this is Natalie.”

“Hello Miss Natalie.”

Natalie smiled at the friendly doorman. “Are you home for a while this time?” He asked Brian.

“I don’t know. That’s never up to me anymore.”

“I don’t know how you do it.”

Brian shook his head. “I don’t know how I do it either. But I do know I will be here for at least a few days.”

“And will miss Natalie be staying as well?”

Brian looked at Natalie and smiled. “I wish I were that lucky.”

“Alright then.” Manny sighed. “You kids have a good evening.”

“Thanks Manny.” Brian said waving goodbye.

“So this is where you live?” Natalie asked as she and Brian got in the elevator.

Brian nodded. He pulled out his keys and Natalie watched curiously as he stuck his key in the elevator and hit the button for the 22nd floor. “I thought you were afraid of heights.” Natalie said.


Brian shrugged. “I don’t go near the windows much.”

“Then why live so high up?”

“It’s all they had. This building is one of the most exclusive in the city. Security’s pretty tight. That comes in handy sometimes.”

The elevator door chimed and Natalie and Brian stepped into a lobby. There were only 3 doors. “So what are we doing here?” Natalie asked.

Brian unlocked one of the doors and flung it open. “I wanted to show you something.”

Natalie followed Brian into the apartment. “It’s big.” She said as she looked around. The place was very nice. It was nothing as fancy as Natalie would have expected from the look of the rest of the building. Aside from the floor to ceiling windows with the incredible view of the city, the place felt very much like home. Natalie looked at the Pictures of Brian’s family that sat on an end table in the living room. Then she walked over to the windows and looked at the lights of the city. “It’s beautiful.” She said to herself.

Brian smiled watching her from the other side of the room. She turned around and smiled at him. “How do you possibly avoid these windows?” She asked.

Brian smiled. He pushed a button by the front door and a set of blinds closed automatically. Natalie nodded. “Ah.” She said.

There was an awkward silence for a moment. Natalie broke it by asking, “So what did you want to show me?”

“This.” Brian said holding his hands out to either side. “I wanted you to see where I live.”

“It’s nice.” Natalie said a little confused.

She sat down on the couch and picked up the picture of Brian and his family. She looked at it closely. Brian came over and sat down next to her. “My parents and my brother Harold.” He said pointing at the picture. “That’s the house I grew up in,” he said smiling at the memories.

“Your parents still live there?”

“Well no. They had to move when my career took off.”

“I’m sorry. That’s a bummer.”

“It was kind of sad, but they said it was worth it to see my dreams come true.” He smiled again. “They’re the best parents in the world.”

Brian looked at Natalie and nervously said, “I wanted to show you where I live so that you could see that I’m as normal as anybody else.”

Natalie smiled touching the cute little house behind the glass and then put the picture back in its place. “We’re not from two different worlds.” Brian said taking Natalie’s hand.

“Yes we are.” Natalie said.

She got up and pushed the button that opened the blinds. She looked out over the city below her. “This isn’t my world.”

Natalie turned back around. She felt bad when she saw the disappointment on Brian’s face. Brian stood up and slowly walked over to her trying his best not to look out the window. “It’s just a view.” He said turning his back to the window. “And I always keep the curtains closed anyway.”

Natalie glanced out the window again and then looked at Brian. He was so cute and so charming. He really was irresistible. Natalie could feel herself starting to give in. Brian hugged her and she felt an ache in her stomach. All she could think about was having to say goodbye in the morning. She tried to be strong. She pulled away from Brian’s grip. “Maybe I should get back.” She said.

Brian was starting to get frustrated. He was so confused. He was scared of what he was feeling in his heart but he couldn’t help it. He liked the feeling and didn’t want it to go away. He was desperate for Natalie to stay. He grabbed her hand. “Don’t go.” He said.

“I have to.” She whispered.

“Not yet.” He whispered back

Natalie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She could feel Brian squeeze her hand. She opened her eyes, forced a smile and kissed Brian on the cheek. She let go of his hand. “I don’t understand.” Brian said. “After everything that’s happened this week, and the way you kissed me today?”

A memory of the kiss flashed in her mind. “It was just a kiss.” She said.

“Was it?”

“It was for a video. There were cameras! We were acting.”

“I wasn’t.” Brian said feeling a little choked up.

Somehow Natalie already knew that but to hear him say it made it feel real. Natalie felt her heart breaking. “Don’t you get it?” she sighed. “This week has been like some kind of crazy dream to me and tomorrow I have to wake up.

Brian smiled. “But it wasn’t a dream. This time its real.”

“None of this is real! It can’t be!”

Brian looked at Natalie more confused than he’d been. “I have to go home in the morning! Home! To Michigan. That’s like a million miles from here. If I stay right now it will only make it that much harder to leave in the morning.”

“I don’t care! I love you.” The words left Brian’s lips without thought.

Brian stood there stunned. His mouth hung open. He stared nervously at Natalie and let go a heavy sigh as he realized that what he said was true. It was like the revelation was mind blowing. Natalie was as shocked as he was. She couldn’t believe she had just heard that. She didn’t know what to say. She stared back terrified. Brian shrugged his shoulders speechless. “Just tell me one thing, for my heart’s sake, and then I will take you back.”

Natalie nodded. “Did that kiss really mean nothing? Don’t you like me even a little bit?”

Natalie sighed. “I’m sorry I’ve been acting so crazy. It’s just that I got a taste of my dreams this week and I don’t know how I’m ever going to be able to go back to normal. I’ve been in love with your voice for years. I created this image in my mind of what I thought you must be like and you were perfect. Then I met you and somehow you exceeded every expectation I had. Saying goodbye to you is going to break my heart. But what really scares me is that when I get home, you will be there. You’re everywhere. Every time I hear one of your songs, see a picture on a magazine cover my heart is going to break all over again.”

Natalie looked down at the floor. Her eyes welled up with tears. “My life is never going to be the same.” She said through her tears.

Brian wrapped his arms around her. She buried her face in his chest. Brian held her tightly. “It’s not goodbye forever.” He said and kissed her…

********************************************************
End flashback


“Then we just spent the rest of the night talking.” Natalie said to Avery. “He showed me pictures of him when he was a kid. He even got out his guitar and sang, “That’s What She Said” to me. After that we made out for a while. Eventually I fell asleep and I woke up in his bed this morning. It was a perfect night.”

Natalie sighed and looked back at the road. “So then,” Avery said a little confused, “Are you or are you not his girlfriend?”

Natalie opened her mouth to answer the question but wasn’t sure of the answer, “Um, well, I guess technically, no. I mean we didn’t really say it.”

“But he said he loves you?”

Natalie nodded her head. “And you said you love him too?”

Natalie debated the question in her mind. “In so many words.” She said, “He did say that it wasn’t goodbye forever.”

Avery thought about it for a moment. “Whatever!” she said finally coming to a decision. “He’s your boyfriend.”

Natalie smiled at the thought. They drove past a sign that said, “Now leaving the Sunshine State.” The girls were more depressed than ever! They could tell that the drive home was going to be a long one.
Chapter 21 by honey
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone! Thanks for the feedback! Here's the rest of the story. I'm curious to hear what you think about the end. My friend and I were never 100% satisfied with it but, like I said before,it's become somewhat nastalgic for us so I just couldn't change it. Let me know what you think! I hope you enjoy the end of the story!
Chapter 21.

The familiar smell of pizza filled Natalie’s nose before the doors even opened. She noticed an old lady headed her way with a shopping cart. Usually this made her laugh but today it just seemed to annoy her. “Ma’am the grocery store is over there.” She said pointing behind the old lady.

The old lady looked back and then smiled at Natalie. “Oh! Why thank you dear.” The old lady replied.

Natalie forced a smile and then went into work. She was a few minutes late so she went back to clock in. “Oh my heck! I have to tell you something.” Avery said running up to her. Avery tried to cut her off but Natalie opened the door. Avery followed her into the office. Josh and Paul were inside. Paul practically went pale when he saw her and Josh tried to hide his excited smile. Avery stood there waiting for the drama to unfold. Natalie stood there looking at all of them. “Well, this feels a little familiar.” She said.
She walked past Paul and Josh and punched in. She seemed completely unfazed by the awkward tension that filled the room. She threw her apron over her head and looked at the list of the day’s birthday parties. She smiled, “Little Brian is turning 7 today.” She said to Avery.

Avery laughed. Josh and Paul looked at each other not sure what they had missed. Natalie opened the door to leave the office noticing the stares she was receiving. She started to walk out the door but stopped. She looked at Paul. “Aren’t you supposed to be in Hawaii right now?” Paul opened his mouth to say something but Natalie didn’t wait around for the answer.

Avery walked back into the back room where Natalie had already started filling up balloons. “What was that all about?” Avery asked her.

“Oh my gosh,” Natalie began excitedly, “I was so afraid of Paul being here but when I saw him there was nothing. Nothing! It’s like I’m completely over it! Of coarse I want to cry every time I hear a Backstreet song now, but at least work won’t be awkward anymore!”

“I don’t want to burst your bubble, but there was no wedding.”

“What?” Natalie said her mouth dropping to the floor.

“Paul didn’t get married. That’s why he’s not in Hawaii right now.”

“What happened?”

“Josh said he called it off the day after we left for vacation. He said that after we left work that night Paul was really upset about something so they went to have a drink together. The next morning he just called it off. He and Emily broke up.”

“That’s crazy!” Natalie said trying her best to believe the story.

“It’s more than crazy!” Avery said, “He’s in love with you!”

“He is not.” Natalie said trying to convince herself more than Avery.

Natalie filled one last balloon and headed toward the party room. Avery followed her in to the party room. “It’s the only explanation!” she was saying. “Why else would he call off the wedding?”

“I don’t know.” Natalie said, “Maybe because he realized her was about to marry Emily!”

Avery frowned. “That would be a good reason, but it’s not the one and you know it.”

“Avery,” Natalie laughed, “You’re talking crazy. Paul did not dump his fiancée 2 days before his wedding because he all of the sudden realized that he was in love with me.”

“Actually, I did.”

Natalie and Avery both turned around surprised to see Paul. This time there was an awkward silence. Just then Josh’s voice came over the intercom calling Avery to the front. “Nice timing.” She thought relieved. “I’m gonna go.” She said and ran out of the room. Natalie looked at the birthday cake she had set on the table. She smiled reading the words “Happy Birthday Brian. She sat down at the table. She knew she was finally going to have to talk to Paul, but this time she felt ready.

Avery ran to the front counter. “You are my hero!” she said throwing her arms around Josh. “How did you know I needed to get out of there?”

Josh looked at her like she was crazy. “What are you talking about? There’s someone here to see you.”

“Paul just told Natalie!”

“What?” Josh asked pocking his head around the corner. “Where?”

“Purple room.”

Josh tried to see what was going on. “Who’s here to see me?” Avery asked.

Josh stopped concentration on Natalie and Paul He gave Avery a weird look. “Some guy. He says he your boyfriend?”

Avery gave him a weird look back. “That’s impossible.” She said walking around the corner to the front door. Josh followed her curiously. She stopped dead in her tracks when she saw Nick standing there crutches and all. He was holding a magazine in his hand. “Nothing’s impossible.” Nick said smiling.

He held out his arms. Avery ran around the counter and leaped into his arms nearly knocking him over. He dropped one of his crutches. “What are you doing here?” she asked and then planted a big fat kiss on his lips. Josh was so confused. He stared in disbelief. “I actually came to tell you something.” Nick said.

“You flew all the way here just to tell me something? Not that I mind.”

“I have a private jet remember?”

Avery laughed. “So what did you want to tell me?”


Nick got all serious. “Maybe you should sit down.” He said.

Avery gave him a weird look. She had no idea what he could possibly be talking about. “I wanted you to hear it from me before anybody else.” He began. Avery started to get really nervous. “Nick what is it?”

“I guess there’s no easy way to say this,” he began.

Avery felt sick all of the sudden. “Avery, I’m engaged.”

Avery was shocked. Even Josh’s jaw dropped. “What?” Avery said trying her best not to scream.

She stood there waiting for Nick to explain and a devilish smile spread across his face as he lifted the magazine he was holding. Avery looked at the cover. It was a tabloid. On the cover in big letters it said, “Youngest Backstreet Boy, Nick Carter, off the market?” Avery’s mouth dropped as she stared at the picture on the cover. “Oh my heck!” she said and started laughing. “It’s a good thing you told me.”

Avery and Nick both started laughing. Josh stood there completely lost. “Does somebody want to fill me in?” he asked.

Avery handed him the magazine. “You’re a Backstreet boy?” he said.

Nick shrugged and nodded his head. Josh looked at the picture. There was Nick carter down on one knee proposing to a girl in front of a big fountain. “Look closer Josh, he’s actually handing me an earring. Not a wedding ring.

Josh looked a little closer and realized that the girl in the picture was Avery. He couldn’t believe it. He stared at the picture. Nick looked at Josh. “This is Josh?” he asked Avery, “As in fake boyfriend Josh?”

Avery smiled and nodded her head. “Nick this is my fake boyfriend Josh. Josh this is my real boyfriend Nick.”

The two shook hands giving each other weird looks. “So how long are you here?” Avery asked Nick.

“We all have to be back in the studio on Thursday. We’re going to go over final cuts of the video before it airs next week.”

“It airs next week? That’s fast.”

Just then a voice came over the loud speaker calling Natalie to the office. “Natalie’s here?” Nick asked.

“Yeah you should come say hi.”

Avery brought Nick back. He loved the place. “Arcade games and pizza!” she said excitedly. Nick and Avery walked back toward the office. On the way there they ran into Paul. Nick tried to hide his curiosity when Avery introduced him. “So this was the guy that all the fuss was about last week,” he thought.

Avery and Nick walked into the office where Natalie was on the phone. Natalie had the strangest look on her face. “You know what? She just walked in.” She said when she saw Avery. She handed her the phone. “He wants to talk to you.”

Avery took the phone and Natalie hugged Nick. She and Nick walked out of the office and waited for Avery to get off the phone. “So, I met Paul.” Nick said. “Brian’s way better looking if you ask me.”

Natalie forced a smile. “How’s he doing anyway?”

“He hasn’t called you either?” Nick asked surprised.

Natalie shook her head. “I haven’t talked to him since we left.”

“I don’t think he’s talked to anyone. He took me to the hospital and then left. Said he had to go home to Kentucky for a few days. None of us have heard from him in two days. I thought for sure he would at least have called you.”

Just then Avery came out of the office. “Did that really just happen?” She said to Natalie.

Natalie nodded. “Looks like we’re going to New York next week.”

“What’s in New York?” Nick asked.

“The guy on the phone just now was someone over at Mtv. They want to fly us to New York to be guests on TRL when the video airs. They want to interview us.”

“That’s cool.” Nick said as if that kind of thing happens all the time.

“It’s crazy.” Natalie said.

The rest of the day seemed to go by slowly for the girls. Nick hung around until Avery was off work. Then she and Nick went out. Natalie went home after work. She felt like she was going crazy. It was weird to have Nick here and it was weird to see Nick without Brian. Natalie missed Brian so much. Why hadn’t he called her? Why hadn’t he called anyone? Why did he all the sudden have to go home? He was all she could think about. She pulled out her photo album and decided to read Brian’s letter. She sat down on her bed with a tissue in her hand. She opened the book to the last page. She smiled seeing the picture again. It was a really cute picture of the two of them. She looked at the writing. The first words were, “Don’t remember taking this one.” Natalie laughed to herself and then read on.

It must be fate. I don’t care how lucky you think gummy bears are, there have been too many miraculous events this week for it to be anything else. I know you don’t think it could ever work, but now that I know you’re out there I don’t think I can live without you in my life. I refuse to say goodbye.


Natalie sat on her bed and cried until her phone rang. She looked at her caller ID. It was a Florida area code. Natalie dried her eyes and answered the phone. “Hello?” she asked, her voice cracking.

“Natalie? This is Steve.”

“Hi.”

“So, is it good to be back home?”

“No.”

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine. I just had a really weird day.”

“Listen, the reason I’m calling is that I have been going through all of my footage and I think I really need to get one last interview with you and Avery. Would it be all right if I came out there? See where you live? Capture your personal side a little bit?”

“Why not.”

“Are you sure you’re OK?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you think Avery would mind? I tried to call her but she didn’t answer her phone.”

“She’s probably too busy making out with Nick.”

“Nick’s there?”

“Yeah, he showed up this afternoon. Right before Mtv called and asked us to come to New York next week and right after Paul told me that he called off his wedding because he was in love with me.”

“Wow.” Steve said, “You have had an exciting day.”

“I need a vacation.” Natalie said with a sigh.

Steve laughed and then Natalie laughed too. She was glad that Steve had called. He was actually making her feel better. By the end of the conversation, Steve had made plans to come out to Michigan over the weekend and then he wanted to go to New York with the girls and catch that experience on film as well. “Do you really think people are going to want to hear our story?” Natalie asked as Steve was about to hand up.

“Are you kidding? It’s like a real life fairy tale. People love that stuff. Plus you haven’t seen any of the footage yet. This baby’s going to Sundance for sure!”

Natalie laughed. She thought the whole thing sounded crazy, but she didn’t mind. She liked Steve. She hung up the phone and was feeling a lot better. She was actually really excited for Steve to come. Minutes after she hung up, the phone rang again. “Hello?”

“Hey Natalie What’s up what’s up? This is Kev.”

“Hey.” She said thinking how strange it was that he called at the same time as Steve.
“How’s Michigan? Good to be home?”

Natalie laughed and just said yes this time to avoid having to explain herself again. “What’s up?”

“I was just wondering if you’ve heard from Brian at all today.”

“You know Nick asked me the same thing.”

“You’ve talked to Nick?”

“Yeah well he showed up here today.”

“He’s in Michigan? That explains why he wasn’t home today. Is Brian there too?”

“Nope. I haven’t talked to Brian since we left the hotel.”

“Really? He hasn’t even called you?”

“Nick said he went home to Kentucky after he took him to the hospital the other day.”

“Yeah, that’s where he said he was going but I called my uncle and he’s not there. He won’t answer his phone either.”

“That’s strange. Should we be worried?”

“I’m sure he’s OK. He probably just needed some time to clear his head. But it’s not like him to not tell anyone where he’s going. Would you mind calling him? Maybe he’ll pick up if it’s you. I just want to know he’s alright.”

“Sure.” Natalie said.

She hung up with Kevin and then flipped through the numbers until she came across Brian’s name. She nervously hit the call button. She held her breath as the phone rang. She wasn’t sure why it was so hard to call him. The phone stopped ringing. The voice mail picked up. “What’s up this is B-rok. I’ll call you back.” Natalie smiled listening to the sound of his voice. She stumbled to get words out. “Hey. It’s Natalie. Everyone’s kind of worried about you. You should call me.” She hesitated a moment and then said, “I miss you,” and hung up the phone. She called Kevin back.

While she was on the phone with Kevin Avery and Nick burst through her bedroom door. “I hope you’re dressed.” Avery said.

“I hope you’re not.” Nick echoed.

They both laughed. Natalie hung up the phone with Kevin and went out with nick and Avery for the rest of the night. She had left her cell phone at home and when came back there were 2 messages waiting for her. The first was from Paul. Natalie hadn’t really had the chance to talk to him at work. She didn’t know how to explain that she was over him when only two weeks ago it was so clear that she wasn’t. She didn’t want to hurt him. She knew she needed to talk to him but she didn’t feel like doing it now. She listened to the second message. “Hey it’s me, I know it’s late but I was hoping to say goodnight. I’m sorry I haven’t called. I’ve been really busy. I know that’s not an excuse but I was really happy to hear from you. Tell the guys I’m fine and that I’ll see them on Thursday. I miss you too. I’ll talk to you soon.”

Natalie was so relieved. He sounded fine. She played the message over again. She called Kevin even though it was so late and told him that Brian had called. She knew he would sleep better knowing he was OK.”

Nick stayed until Wednesday night. Avery hated having to say goodbye. She was so depressed at work on Thursday and Natalie wasn’t there to make her feel better. She had switched shifts with her so that she didn’t have to work with Paul. Natalie had been avoiding him all week. But at least they were both working together on Friday. She sat in the back of the kitchen grating cheese. Paul walked into the kitchen. She smiled awkwardly. He came and sat down next to her. Avery knew that Natalie hadn’t talked to him yet and there was no way she was having this conversation for her. “She hates me doesn’t she?” Paul asked.

“She doesn’t hate you.”

“Why is she avoiding me?”

“You should ask her that.”

“I would if she’d talk to me.”

“She’s working tomorrow afternoon. Just come in and make her talk to you.”

Paul could tell that Avery was annoyed and since he was a little scared of her, as most people were, he just smiled and then left the kitchen.
Chapter 22 by honey
Chapter 22.

Friday afternoon Natalie and Avery sat at work totally bored. It was a beautiful day, which meant it was so slow. Natalie only had one birthday party and they were pretty much the only kids in the building. They sat behind the front counter just talking. They didn’t look up when Steve walked in the door with the camera running. “So this is the infamous Kid Kingdom. Nice uniforms.” He said laughing.

“What are you doing her? I thought you weren’t supposed to be here for a few hours. We still have like an hour and a half left.” Avery said hiding her face from the camera.

“I took an early flight. I wanted to see you guys in action. Looks like you’re real busy.”

“You have to edit this. We look like crap.” Natalie said.

“Come on.” Steve begged. “It’s important. The people have to understand where you come from. The more normal you are the better. I was even hoping I could interview some of your friends.”

“What? No.” Avery said.

Just then Josh came up to the front. “Natalie your pizza’s are ready for the party.” He said and then stopped when he noticed the camera. “What the hell is this?” he asked.

“This is our friend Steve. He’s making a documentary.” Avery said.

Josh looked at the girls confused. “First Avery comes back with a boyfriend, then Natalie turns down Paul, and now you’re in a documentary? And what’s this about you going to New York next week? You guys are starting to freak me out. What happened to you last week?”

Josh stared at both the girls waiting for an explanation. Steve took a step back to get a better shot. He was loving this. “My pizza’s are ready.” Natalie said and walked away.

Josh looked as Avery. She shrugged. “What?”

“Avery!” he yelled still waiting for an explanation.

“Josh!” she yelled back.

“Wait a minute.” Steve said, “This is Josh? The Josh? As in the inspiration behind the café scene, Josh?”

Josh looked at Steve like he was crazy. “Am I glad to meet you.” Steve said to him, “If you give me an interview for my documentary, I’ll tell you exactly what happened to them last week. I’ll even show you some great video of it.”

Josh thought about it for a minute and then said, “Deal.”

“Oh no!” Avery said. “No way.”

She tried to stop them but Josh took Steve back into the office. She ran to the kitchen to tell Natalie what was going on but Natalie was already dishing out pizza to a group of hungry little partygoers.

She walked back up front and was trying to spy on Josh and Steve. Whatever Steve was saying, Josh seemed to think it was hilarious. As she was watching them Paul came through the front door. “Where’s Natalie?” he said startling Avery.

Avery glanced at the party room and then to the office. Josh and Steve were coming out the door. Avery panicked. She didn’t think it was a good idea for Steve to meet Paul. “Um, I don’t think now is a good time to talk to her.” She said to Paul.

“You’re the one who told me to come!” Paul replied.

“Yeah but, she’s not having a good day.”

Paul looked at the party room. Natalie was laughing with the little kids. She seemed to be in a good mood. “What’s going on?” Paul asked starting to think that something was up.

“Nothing! I just think you should come back later.”

Paul had had enough. He walked past the front counter. “What if I promise to make her call you after work?” She said as he walked in the direction of the kitchen.

“Paul!” Josh yelled across the room. “What are you doing here?”

Paul walked over to Josh, “I came to talk to Natalie.” He said and looked strangely at Steve.

“Hey!” Josh said, “You should interview him.”

Josh looked at Paul, “This is Steve. He’s a friend of Natalie and Avery’s. He’s using them as the subjects for this documentary he’s making. He wanted to talk to people who know them.” Josh looked back to Steve. “No one knows Natalie better than Paul. He’s in love with her. Just left his fiancée for her even.”

Paul wanted to kill Josh. He forced a smile into the camera. Natalie was headed back to the kitchen with empty pizza trays when she saw Steve, Paul, and Josh talking. Trying to not look too obvious she quickly put down her trays and went up to them. She glanced at Avery who shrugged helplessly. “Hey!” She said walking up to the guys, “What’s going on?”

“I’m doing an interview for Steve’s movie.” Josh said excitedly.

“You didn’t tell me this was the Josh.” Steve said.

Natalie forced an irritated smile. Paul looked at her so confused by it all. “What are you doing here?” she asked him.

“I was looking for you actually.” He said and then glanced back at the camera.

“Don’t mind me.” Steve said.

Natalie glared into the camera. “You know what?” she said to Paul, “Why don’t we go into the office.”

She grabbed his arm and headed for the office. Josh and Steve followed them. “Alone!” she said glaring into the camera again.

She and Paul went into the office and shut the door. “What’s all that about?” Paul asked.

“That’s just my friend Steve. He’s a little crazy. He thinks he’s making this big movie but it’s really not… um… You know what, it’s not important. I only have a few minutes before it’s cake time so, let’s talk.”

Natalie and Paul sat down and started to talk. Josh, Avery and Steve watched from the front. Steve, as always, was running the camera. “Can anyone tell what they’re saying?” Steve said.

“It can’t be good.” Avery said, “He dumped his fiancée 2 days before the wedding because he’s in love with Natalie and she came back from vacation totally over him.”

Josh was confused. “She’s totally over him?”

“Yup.”

“No way.” Josh said laughing, “I’ll bet you five bucks they walk out of that room hooked up.”

Avery looked at Steve and then to Josh. “You’re on.”

“What are we looking at?” Said a voice behind them.

They were all so focused on Natalie and Paul that none of them looked to see who was there. “I’m about to win a bet.” Josh said.

“Natalie and Paul are having the talk. I got 5 on them hooking up. You want in?”

“Won’t happen.” Avery said.

“Hook up? Isn’t that the guy who got married last week?”

“Dude where have you been? There was no wedding.”

“No wedding?”

“Dumped Emily two days before the wedding. For Natalie! They’re totally hookin’ up.” Josh insisted.

Avery looked back at who was behind them. She froze at the sight of Brian. He was staring at Natalie through the glass. Then Natalie and Paul stood up and hugged. Natalie kissed him on the cheek. “See!” Josh yelled, “Hookin’ up! You owe me five bucks!”

Avery saw the look on Brian’s face. She felt sick. “They’re not hooking up.” Avery said to Brian. His eyes were fixed on the two in the office. Steve looked back and saw Brian standing there. He freaked out. “Dude, it’s not what it looks like.” He said.

Josh turned around, “What the- who are you?”

Avery elbowed Josh in the ribs really hard. “This is Brian.” Steve said.

“He’s a Backstreet Boy.” Avery explained.

“Another one?” Josh asked.

“He’s the one I was telling you about a minute ago.” Steve added.

“He’s also the reason that you owe me five bucks.” Avery said.

Brian just watched them all completely overwhelmed. “She’s just letting him down nicely.” Avery said to Brian.

“She kissed him. I saw it.” Josh argued.

“On the cheek.” Steve said worried.

“If they had hooked up they’d be in there making out right now.” Avery said.

Everyone looked back at the office. Natalie walked out the door headed straight for the kitchen. Paul slumped down into a chair. He looked heartbroken. Avery smiled and held out her hand. Josh reached into his pocket and slapped a five-dollar bill into the palm of Avery’s hand. “See.” She said proudly, “She’s completely over him.” She looked at Brian and smiled. “And you know that only happens when you’ve found somebody else.”

Brian smiled. Steve took his first breath in ten minutes and the color started to return to his face. Brian hugged Avery, “What are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be at some meeting today.”

“The meeting was yesterday. I thought I would come out before things get crazy with the promotional tour. It starts next week with the premiere of the video. That’s on Tuesday.”

“Yeah I know. Natalie and I are going to be in New York.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, somehow Mtv found out about our story and they want to interview us on TRL when they premiere the video.”

“Very cool.” Brian said.

He looked at Josh who looked a little confused still. “Hey man I’m Brian.” He said extending his hand.

“Josh.” Brian shook his hand and then looked at Avery. “Josh? As in…”

“Thee Josh. Yes.” Josh said finishing his sentence for him.

Brian looked at him curiously and them smiled. “Heard a lot about you.”

“So I’ve been told.” Josh said. He looked at Steve. “You want to finish telling me the story?” he asked.

Josh gave Steve a tour of the Kitchen and Steve told him the rest of the story while he made pizza. He was after all supposed to be working. Avery and Brian stood up front alone. Brian watched Natalie sing and play with the kids in the party room. She was laughing and having a great time. “She really does love this job, doesn’t she?” Brian said.

“For some insane reason that I don’t understand.” Avery replied. “I’m going to quit.” She explained when Brian gave her a funny look.

“Can I go talk to her?” He asked.

“I’d wait until she’s done in there. That is a room full of 11-year-old girls. You don’t want to end up like Nick, do you?

Just then the door to the office closed. Paul was walking toward the front doors. He stopped when he got to the front counter. “How are ya?” Avery said. Paul looked destroyed.

Without saying a word, Paul hugged Avery. Brian was trying not to stare but couldn’t help the awkward look on his face. Paul let go of Avery. “I’m sorry man,” He said to Brian, “You must be the new boyfriend I’ve been hearing about.”

Avery and Brian exchanged weird looks. “Don’t worry,” Paul continued, “I’m not trying to put the moves on your girlfriend. I’m Paul.”

Paul reached out to shake Brian’s hand. Avery was relieved to see that Paul thought Brian was her Boyfriend and not Natalie’s. Brian shook his hand. “Brian.” He said.

“I’m gonna go.” Paul said to Avery, “You were right. It wasn’t a good time to talk to her. I’ll see you later. Congrats on the whole boyfriend thing.”

“Thanks.” Avery said.

She smiled and Paul left. Once he was gone Avery looked at Brian, “That could have been a lot more awkward.”

“The poor guy looks crushed.” Brian said.

“He’ll get over it.” Avery said, “The guy was engaged to someone else last week.”

Brian looked at Natalie again. The little girls had disappeared from the party room and Natalie was clearing paper plates. She was now alone. Avery watched the dreamy look appear on Brian’s face as he watched her. “I think it’s safe now.” She said. “You can go talk to her now.”

Brian sighed. “Maybe I should wait.” He said. Avery looked at him confused.

“Wait for what?” she asked.

“Well I have a surprise for her.”

“What kind of surprise?”

“You’ll see.” Brian said with a wicked grin. He was definitely up to something. “Just, don’t tell her I was here.” Brian said. “I want to surprise her all at once.”

Avery nodded. She looked in the Kitchen. “Better duck then,” she said to Brian. “Looks like she’s headed this way.”

Brian ducked behind the counter. Natalie walked up to Avery. “That’s it. I quit. BYU here I come.”

“It wasn’t that bad.” Avery said unconvincingly.

“I don’t think I’m his favorite princess anymore.” Natalie replied, “How did he look? Did he say anything on the way out?”

“He didn’t look any different than you did two weeks ago. Serves him right if you ask me.”

“Avery! Be nice! He really didn’t do anything wrong.”

“You’re right. I should be nicer to the guy. He did just earn me 5 bucks. You should have seen the look on Josh’s face. Classic! He really thought you guys were going to end up happily ever after.”

Natalie sighed. “So did I. Do you think I did the right thing?”

“What?” Avery asked nervously. She glanced down at Brian. “Of coarse you did. Remember that part about Brian being absolutely perfect for you? You said yourself you were completely over Paul.”

“But I loved him for so long. I’ve only known Brian for like two weeks. I’m going crazy. I mean he says all these incredible things and then I don’t hear from him at all. Nick calls you like every five minutes. I just said no to PAUL! What if I did that and Brian never calls. What if I never see him again?”

Avery glanced down at Brian and they exchanged looks. Natalie was so stressed. She threw her head down on the counter burying her face in her arms. Avery stepped in front of her so that she wouldn’t see Brian if she looked up. “Look,” she said trying to be encouraging. “You’ve known Paul for how long and nothing has ever come of it. Why do you think that is? You and Brian, on the other hand, spend one week together and you’re practically engaged. And, according to the press, Nick and me are engaged. I mean what were the chances that we would go on vacation and both fall in love?”

“None.” Natalie said remembering the letter Brian had written her. “It’s like it was fate.”

Natalie picked herself up off the counter and faded into a daydream. “You’re right.” She said, “I did the right thing.”

Avery glanced down at Brian again. He smiled. “Don’t worry about Brian. I’m sure you’ll see him again.”

Natalie went to finish cleaning up after her party. “Hey,” Avery yelled after her, “You’re not gonna quit.”

The girls laughed. Natalie went back to her party and Avery looked down at Brian. “Coast is clear.” She said.

Brian stood up. “You’re both off in an hour right?”

Avery looked at her watch, “42 minutes.” She replied. “Why?” she asked again hoping he would tell her what the surprise was but Brian wouldn’t tell her what he was going to do. He simply said that she had to get Natalie to go with her to the movies after work and no matter what they needed to see the 4:30 showing of Gone in 60 seconds at the Canton Cinema. Avery looked at him like he was crazy. “Steve knows all about it. He’ll help you get her there.” Brian said and left the building. Avery watched him leave. She was dying to know what he was up to. She ran to talk to Steve but he was no more help that Brian was.

Avery had no idea how she was going to convince Natalie to go see that movie with her and didn’t know how to explain why it had to be that one at that time. She sat up front thinking of ways to do it until Steve and Josh joined her. Natalie punched out and joined them up front. “So,” she said to Steve. “What do you want to do first?”

Steve smiled. “I was just talking to Josh and I was thinking of taking a break from the video and going to see the movie Gone in 60 Seconds.”

Natalie looked strangely at him. “OK?” she said.

“Josh was just telling me about it and it sounds awesome. We already looked it up and there’s a 4:30 showing at the theater down the street.”

Natalie looked at Avery. She shrugged. “I kind of wanted to see that movie. Now is as good a time as any,” she said.

“It’ll be fun.” Josh said.

Everyone was glad to see that Natalie didn’t need much convincing. They went to the theater. Steve insisted on buying the tickets. The girls stood back looking at the marquee while Steve was at the ticket window. “That’s odd.” Natalie said, “It doesn’t list a 4:30 showing.”

Avery looked up at the sign nervously. “That is weird.” She said.

Steve and Josh came back with tickets in hand. “Shall we?” he asked.

It wasn’t hard to find seats considering they were the only four people in the theater. They all settled into their seats and the theater went dark. The screen came to life. Right away the girls could tell that something was going on. There were no previews just numbers on the screen counting down from 10. When it reached 1, the screen went dark and the sweet sound of the Backstreet Boys filled the theater. Natalie and Avery exchanged confused and excited looks and then they looked at Steve. He smiled and Pointed to the screen. The girls looked up to see Jerry waving into the camera. The girls squealed with delight as they realized they were about to watch a movie from their vacation. The girls watched excitedly for 20 minutes as the weeks’ events replayed. There were laughs and tears from both of them. They were so into the movie that they didn’t notice the occasional looks and comments from Josh. He couldn’t believe some of the things he was seeing. Natalie was so surprised to see the footage of her and Brian watching the basketball game. She smiled and remembered the picture in her photo album. Then she thought of the letter that Brian had written. Then she watched as her and Brian had to kiss take after take. She waited for the last kiss but it wasn’t there. Then, one of the last things in the movie was the final cut of the music video staring the girls. They couldn’t believe it! It looked so good. Like a real music video except they were watching themselves. It was so weird. They loved it so much! Then at the end of the video is where the kiss between Natalie and Brian was. Avery and Josh both stared. The video ended and the screen went dark again. Natalie and Avery looked at Steve. He pointed back at the screen. “There’s more?” Avery asked.

The screen came to life again. This time they were watching a slide show. They had seen most of the pictures before in their photo albums that Kevin and James had made for them but the song that was playing was a song they had never heard before. They both realized it right away. They looked at each other. It was Brian singing. The girls hardly noticed the pictures on display. They listened carefully to the words. The song was called “It Must Have Been Fate”. The song was about a girl who came into this world with only one purpose in life - to be with this guy. It talked about how the guy was dying until he met the girl. It was the sweetest most beautiful song Natalie had ever heard. She wondered why she had never heard it before. The beginning of the last verse caught the girls’ attention. They looked at each other as the last verse talked about how even though he’d only known her for a week he knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. The pictures stopped on the same picture of Natalie and Brian that was in Natalie’s photo album. The chorus repeated again and as it did the girls heard singing behind them. Natalie turned around to see Brian kneeling behind her. He was singing along with the song. Instantly, tears filled Natalie’s eyes. Avery, Steve and Josh weren’t surprised to see him but Natalie was so shocked she felt weak. It was a good thing she was sitting down. She wanted to leap into his arms but she was afraid to stand up. Brian got up and hopped over the seats. He knelt down in front of Natalie. Avery and Josh watched curiously. Natalie just stared at Brian still in shock. He smiled at her, took her hand in his and said, “That song is called ‘It Must Have Been Fate’. I wrote it about you. It just sort of came to me as I sat in the hospital waiting for Nick.”

More tears fell down Natalie’s cheek. “I hated saying goodbye to you. I realized when you left the hotel that day that I just can’t live without you. I need you.”

Brian reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. “I told you I will do what ever it takes to keep you in my life. I refuse to say goodbye.”

Natalie, Avery and Josh watched in total shock as he popped open the box to reveal a ring. “I know it sounds crazy but I want you to be my wife.”

All eyes turned to Natalie but she didn’t notice the stares. She looked at Brian. He seemed to have a look of nervous desperation behind the excitement in his eyes. His hands were starting to tremble. Millions of emotions pounded in Natalie’s heart and millions more thoughts ran through her head. However, through all the noise one thought stood out above all the rest. The word yes repeated over and over in her brain.

Natalie had no idea how long she sat there. No one said a word. Finally she caught up with the moment. She looked at the ring and then to Brian. He held his breath waiting for her to say something. “I must be crazy.” She said and leaned forward to kiss Brian.

Brian slipped the ring on her finger and they kissed again. After that, they smiled at each other and then Natalie laughed. She turned to Avery who was still sitting there in shock. “I’m getting married!” she said.

The girls gave each other a hug and giggled giddy with excitement. Brian stood up and Natalie jumped to her feet leaping into his arms. Everyone else stood up as they kissed again. After the congratulations they all made a plan. Natalie and Brian were going to go out for a while and Steve, Avery and Josh ended up watching the movie they said they were hear to see. The plan was to meet in the morning where they would film what Steve needed for his documentary.
Chapter 23 by honey
Chapter 23.

The next morning came so quickly. Natalie was so nervous. Steve wanted to get footage of the girls’ homes, rooms and families but that meant telling her family. She hadn’t told them anything about her vacation yet. She didn’t know where to start much less how she was going to explain the huge ring on her finger. She was terrified of how her parents were going to react. In an attempt to delay the inevitable, they decided to start at Avery’s house. Avery’s interview went very well. Avery’s parents didn’t exactly know what to say or how to react. They were just happy she decided to include them in her life for once. After a couple of hours, Steve was satisfied with the material he had. Now it was time to go to Natalie’s house.


Natalie was so nervous. Avery’s family was nothing like hers. Her family was slightly crazy. Avery’s family didn’t really know who the Backstreet Boy were. They just kind smiled and went along with it not really understanding what a crazy thing it all was. Natalie’s family, on the other hand, knew exactly who they were and were really going to freak out about it. Natalie was embarrassed already and they had not even stepped inside yet. She stood on the front porch and apologized for what was about to happen. Secretly she just hoped there would be no comments like “Natalie’s obsessed” or “The Backdoor Boys”.

Natalie was relieved to find that when they got there both her sister Robin and brother Jeff were not at home. That made things a lot easier. Natalie was surprised at how well things went when she introduced Steve and Brian to her parents and younger brother and sister. They did their interviews and got all the footage they needed, but Natalie had still not mentioned anything about Brian and her being together, much less engaged. When they had a minute to talk about it, Natalie and Brian decided to wait to tell them about the engagement quite yet. They figured they should start with the term boyfriend. Before they left, Natalie told her parents about Brian being her boyfriend and Steve got the whole scene on tape. Natalie was shocked that her parents were genuinely happy for her. “It’s about time she had a boyfriend.” Her mom said laughing. “We’ve been waiting for her to bring someone home for quite a while now.”

Brian was relieved by the warm welcome and was excited to accept an invitation to have dinner with the whole family that evening. Brian and Natalie told Natalie’s family that they were engaged at dinner that night. That way, if Natalie was asked about the ring while she was in New York, her family wouldn’t find out about the engagement on the news or in a tabloid. Being the hopeless romantic that he is, Brian gave the family one of his speeches about how much he loved Natalie and they were all in tears by the end of it. Beside the family being completely shocked and a little overwhelmed, they still supported them.

Once everything was out in the open, the rest of the weekend flew by. Brian got on a plane Sunday night. He had to be in Florida to start the promotional tour with the guys. Before they knew it, the girls were on a plane to New York with Steve.

Even though they had just spent a week in front of cameras acting for the video, the girls were really nervous about doing the interview. The guys had a way of making them feel like it was all just a job and that it was a completely normal thing, but there was nothing normal about this. The girls flew first class, were escorted by limo and put up in one of the nicest hotels in New York. They were treated as if they were Jennifer Lopez or Madonna. They were given a brief tour and then there was a practice run of the program but the show itself was filmed live. When the show started, Carson Daily told their story before bringing them out and introducing them on the air. They both felt so stupid. He introduced them and then asked them a few questions about their experience, which they had gone over earlier. Then they premiered the video. Once the video was over the interview got pretty interesting. Carson complimented them on how well they did and how great the video was. That was a little embarrassing but they had expected something like that would happen. But, after that he asked them about kissing the Backstreet Boys. They both just wanted to die. They stumbled through their answers trying their best not to blush and look like idiots but they looked like big dorks anyway. Finally they cut to a commercial. The girls thought it was their chance to get out of there but Carson asked them if they wouldn’t mind staying a little longer to answer a couple of questions from the audience. They really didn’t want to but they didn’t know how to say no so they stayed. When they were back on the air, Carson picked a girl in the studio audience to ask a question. The girl must have been a plant because she had a copy of the magazine with Nick and Avery’s picture on the front. “Is it true that you are engaged to Nick?” the girl asked holding up the magazine.

Carson took the magazine from the girl and showed the camera a close up. “No.” Avery said. “He wasn’t proposing in that picture. If you look close enough you can see that he is handing me an earring that I had dropped. So, no, we are not engaged.”

Carson laughed and looked into the camera. He said, “There you have it ladies, Nick Carter is still single.”

“I wouldn’t say that!” Came a voice from off screen. The audience started going crazy as Nick walked into the studio. He came up to Carson and shook his hand. Avery and Natalie were shocked to see him.

“Nick!” Carson said a little surprised himself. “Welcome man! What are you doing here?”

“I thought I would stop by and clear up some of the rumors going around about me.”
“Like the one that you’re engaged?” Carson asked.

“No,” Nick said with a smile, “Like the one that I’m single.”

Gasps swept threw the crowd. Carson looked at Nick confused. “What are you talking about buddy?”

Nick looked at Natalie and Avery who were just staring at him in disbelief. He mouthed the word congratulations to Natalie. She smiled back and mouthed thank you. Then he looked at Avery. She gave him a look as if to say what are you doing? He smiled and then looked at Carson. He took the magazine from Carson and examined it closely. “Avery and I are not engaged,” he said, “Yet!”

More gasps in the crowd. Carson stared at Nick. Nick smiled and then took Avery in his arms and kissed her. The audience went crazy. One girl even passed out. Carson laughed into the camera and said, “Now we’ve seen it all here on TRL. Nick Carter officially off the market! We’re going to take a break but when we come back find out who slid into the number 5 spot on our countdown.”

“60 Seconds!” someone yelled and everyone relaxed.

Nick shook Carson’s hand, “You got time to stick around?” Carson asked.

“Sorry man, I got a press conference in half an hour. Gotta run.”

“Al right. Well thanks for stopping by.”

“30 Seconds.”

Natalie and Avery were directed out of the studio and back to the guest waiting room. Nick went in there with them. He hugged Avery. “What are you doing here?” she asked.

“We’re starting our promotional tour here in New York. I have to go to this press thing right now but there’s this charity event we were hoping you would come to tonight.”

The girls nodded. “I’ll call you in a little while.” Nick said and kissed Avery goodbye.

The girls sat down on the couch in the waiting room and watched the rest of the show. During the last commercial break, Carson ran back into the waiting room. “How would you guys feel about signing a few autographs after the show?” he said to the girls.

“Autographs?” Natalie asked. “Who would want our autographs?”

Carson smiled. “Every girl in that room will. Trust me on this one. You guys up for it?”

Natalie and Avery looked at each other and shrugged. They said they would. At the end of the show Carson gave a copy of the Backstreet Boys new album to everyone in the audience. Once the show was over, Natalie and Avery were escorted to a room where they were seated at a table. The fans from the studio audience were lined up outside the door. Avery and Natalie were still not sure why these people would want their autographs. They thought it was so funny. The fans were brought to the tables where they handed Natalie and Avery their CD’s and Natalie and Avery would sign them. The fans asked them all kinds of questions. Mostly about the boys and what they were like in person. Natalie and Avery tried not to laugh every time someone complimented them on how they did in the video. They answered questions, signed autographs and even took pictures. Avery and Natalie were amused by it but couldn’t imagine having to do it all the time like the guys do. “Thank goodness we’re not really famous.” Natalie said once they were done.

Later that night the girls joined the guys at a charity dinner. They had to get all dressed up. When they got back to their hotel there were dresses and shoes waiting for them. There was a note attached saying; we hope you like them. We picked them out ourselves. Love Nick and Brian. There was also a note there with the address of a salon and a time on it. The girls went to the salon where they had their hair, finger and toenails done. After they were dressed and ready to go a limo showed up at the hotel for them. Inside, all of the guys were waiting for them. It was nice to see all of them again.

When they reached the hotel where the banquet was taking place there were photographers everywhere. It was the first time Natalie and Avery were seen in public on the arm of Nick and Brian. Once inside things were a lot calmer. The girls were able to relax a bit. They ended up having a lovely evening, but it went by too fast. In the morning, the girls were on a plane back to Michigan while the guys were on a plane to Chicago. After spending the day in New York both Natalie and Avery did not want to go back to Michigan. “You’re right.” Avery said, “How can we go back home now? Things will never be the same again. Maybe we should leave. I’m not suggesting BYU, but at least quit our jobs or something.”

Natalie smiled and Avery waited for her to say she wasn’t gonna quit, but she didn’t. Instead she said, “Maybe you’re right this time. Maybe we should quit.”

“What?” Avery asked surprised.

“I can’t go back. I can’t work with Paul now that I’m engaged. It would be too weird. I think it’s time to get a new job.”

Natalie’s mom picked them up from the airport. “The phone has been ringing off the hook since yesterday. I think everyone you know has called a few times. Didn’t you tell anybody about all of this?”

“No.” Natalie said, “They wouldn’t have believed us anyway.”

“Well you certainly are popular now.”

They dropped Avery off at her house and then went home. When they got there, Natalie’s friend Brigitte was waiting there. Natalie thought it was strange how she didn’t want to talk to her. She didn’t want to talk to anybody anymore. They weren’t there. They didn’t understand what she had been through. Nothing was the same anymore. She talked to her anyway and told her the whole story. She showed Brigitte the pictures and a copy of the movie that Steve had left with her. As they watched the movie, Brigitte was so excited for Natalie but Natalie could only think about how she wished she was back there. Not that she didn’t like her friends anymore, she just felt like she was a different person now and that there was no way she could go back to the way things were before. She wanted to start over. She had to leave! After Brigitte left Natalie started going through a stack of messages her mom had taken while she was in New York. Her mom was right. Just about everyone she knew had called for her. The only one she wanted to call back was Laura. She was excited to see that Laura had called. At the bottom of the pile of messages, there was an envelope that had arrived for Natalie in the mail. She opened it and stared in disbelief at a check for 10 thousand dollars. She had been paid for the video. James said she would get a check in the mail but he never told her how much it would be for. She picked up her phone and called Avery. “Hey!” she said when Avery answered. “Did you check your mail yet?”

“No. Why?” Avery answered.

“Go see if you got a letter.”

Natalie waited on the line while Avery checked her mail. She could hear Avery opening an envelope. “Ten thousand dollars!!!!” Avery screamed. “Oh my heck!”

“Did you know they were going to pay us that much?” Natalie asked.

“I forgot they were going to pay us at all.” Avery answered.

“We should move.” Natalie said.

“What?” Avery asked.

“This is enough money for us to get an apartment somewhere. We should move. We could be roommates.”

“That’s a great idea. I have to get out of this house. We should go look for apartments tomorrow.” Avery said.

“I was kind of thinking about Florida.” Natalie said.

“Move to Florida?”

“Why not? We have enough money to last us while we find new jobs. I have to get out of here! Plus, if we lived in Florida we would be closer to the guys when they’re home. What do you think?”

Avery barely had to think about it. She loved the thought of being close to her Nicky. Natalie went over to Avery’s house and they formed a plan.
Chapter 24 by honey
Chapter 24.

Over the next two months Natalie and Avery were so busy. They gave notice at work that very same day they decided to move and immediately began searching for an apartment in Orlando. A month later they found themselves unpacking. They found jobs soon after. They hadn’t seen the guys since New York since they were still traveling on their promotional tour. Laura and George were on the road with the guys but Natalie and Avery didn’t get too lonely in Orlando because they still had Steve, and James to keep them company. Steve kept them quite busy helping him with his documentary and of coarse they always had wedding plans to make if they ever got bored. Natalie and Brian had decided to have the wedding after the Black and Blue concert tour ended. With the promotional tour coming to an end, the world tour was scheduled to kick off in Orlando in just 3 weeks, giving the guys 2 weeks to rest.

Natalie and Avery were so excited to have their boyfriends home for a whole 2 weeks. It was going to be the first time that they were home since the girls had moved to Florida. Steve had finally finished his documentary and wanted to show it to everyone so the girls decided to throw a small party at their new place when the guys returned home. When they called to invite James he suggested having the party at his house. He had a huge place with a home theater room to screen the movie in. The girls accepted the offer. They were so excited they could hardly stand it.

That night Natalie was talking on the phone to Brian and she was telling him about the party. All of the sudden he got quiet. “Brian?” Natalie asked. “You still there?”

“Sorry.” He said sounding distracted. “I just got the craziest idea.”

“Oh yeah? What?” Natalie asked intrigued.

“No, nothing. It’s crazy.”

“Come on tell me. What were you thinking?”

“Well I have been thinking a lot lately about having to go on a world tour for the next four months and I don’t want to be away from you that long.”

“I really don’t either but maybe it will go by fast. These last couple of months did.”

“Not for me they didn’t. Night after night in a lonely hotel room?”

“Brian.”

“Anyway, I was just thinking, about this party…”

“Yeah?”

“What if it turned out to be a wedding instead of a party? We could fly your friends and family out and have a surprise wedding. Then you could come on the tour with me and we wouldn’t have to spend the next 5 months apart.”

Brian listened to silence on the other end of the line. “I told you it’s completely crazy. We don’t have to do it.”

“No!” Natalie said, “I love it! I was just wondering if we could really pull it off. How fun would it be to surprise everyone like that? I think we should do it!”

“Really?”

“Let’s get married!” Natalie said excitedly. “But I have to tell Avery.”

“Deal,” Brian said, “If I can tell Nick.”

Natalie hung up with Brian and ran through the apartment and pounded on Avery’s bedroom door. She was on the phone with Nick. “Hang up. I have to tell you something!” she said.

Avery hung up the phone wand waited anxiously for the news. Natalie told her all about the wedding plans at the big party this week. Avery was really excited too. Neither of them thought about the fact that if Natalie got married in a week, Avery would no longer have a roommate. Instead they got busy planning a last minute wedding.

The week flew by and before they knew it, Natalie and Avery were pacing their apartment waiting for Nick and Brian to arrive. They jumped up and down with excitement as a town car pulled up in front of their building. They ran out the door and into Nick and Brian’s arms while a driver waited with the car running. Brian hopped in the front seat of the car while Avery and Natalie crammed into the back seat with Nick. They went to Nick’s house and Brian jumped in the back seat with Natalie while the driver pulled Nick’s luggage from the trunk. Natalie and Brian waved to Nick and Avery as they dragged Nick’s suitcases into the house. Natalie and Brian drove off to Brian’s place. The town car pulled up in front of Brian’s building. The driver pulled the luggage from the trunk. Natalie and Brian picked up the suitcases and headed up the steps. “Welcome back Brian!”

Natalie smiled as Manny opened the door for them. “Can I get someone to take those for you?” he asked pointing at the bags.

“I think we can handle it.” Brian said.

Manny looked at Natalie and smiled. “Miss Natalie! Welcome back!”

Natalie was surprised that he had remembered her name. “I hear congratulations are in order.” Many said cheerfully.

“Thank you.” Natalie replied.

Once upstairs Natalie and Brian plopped the luggage on the floor by the door and kissed each other. After a few minutes Brian sat down on the couch. “Can I ask you a question?” he said.

“Sure.” Natalie said snuggling up on the couch next to him.

He smiled and wrapped his arms around her forgetting about everything else. He just wanted to hold her. “What did you want to ask me?” Natalie finally said.

Brian snapped out of his daze. “Oh, well I was talking to Nick about the wedding and he got this idea. I told him I’d run it by you.”

“What is it?”

“How would you feel if tomorrow nights party was a double wedding?”

“A what?” Natalie asked excitedly.

“A double wedding. As in more than one.”

“What are you saying?”

“Nick wants to ask Avery to marry him as well. He’s already got a ring and everything. On the off chance she’s up for it, how would you like it if they got married tomorrow as well?”

Natalie jumped up with excitement. “Oh my gosh I can’t believe it!” she said.
“So it’s ok then?” Brian asked.

“Of coarse! Oh my gosh Avery’s gonna flip! She has no idea he’s been thinking about marriage.”

“Good.” Brian said picking up his phone. “I’ll let him know it’s safe to ask her. He wanted to make sure you didn’t mind first.” Brian picked up his phone and called Nick.

Across town Nick and Avery were making out in Nick’s room. “So what do you want to do tonight?” Avery asked.

Nick looked at her. He seemed nervous about something. “I don’t care as long as we do it together.” He replied.

“That sounds good to me.” Avery said kissing him again.

Nick kissed her back but was startled by his phone ringing. He saw Brian’s number on the caller ID. “Hello?” he said into the phone.

“Hey she said yes.” Brian said.

“Sorry man. You’ve got the wrong number.” Nick said and hung up the phone. He smiled at Avery. “Why don’t we have a picnic on the beach tonight?” he said.

Avery smiled.

Nick’s house backed up to the ocean. He had his own little private beach in his backyard. At one end there was a dock where he kept his boat. At night his yard lit up with all sorts of lights. He and Avery sat on a big blanket that they had spread out on the sand. Nick flipped open the pizza box revealing a large plain cheese pizza. Avery smiled. “Never had a pizza for a picnic before,” she said.

“It reminds me of that first night we spent together. Best date I’ve ever had.”

“Did that count as a date?” Avery asked.

“Does it matter?” Nick replied.

“I guess not.” Avery said.

Nick and Avery sat on the beach and had a nice dinner of pizza and mountain dew, with gummy bears for dessert. After they were finished eating they laid down on the blanket looking at the stars with the sound of crashing waves behind them. Everything was so romantic. “Florida is so nice.” Avery said. “Sometimes I still can’t believe I live here.”

Nick rolled over on his side propping his head up on his elbow and looked at Avery. “Do you think Natalie and Brian are crazy?” he asked her.

Avery rolled over on her side facing him. “Getting married so fast?” he added.

Avery laughed, “I think they’re completely nuts!” she said.

Nick got nervous. Maybe asking her to marry him wasn’t such a good idea. Then Avery sighed, “But,” she said, “It really is romantic. I mean it may be crazy but if 2 people really love each other and they know they want to spend the rest of their lives together, why wait? They’re brave. If you ask me, sometimes people wait too long and eventually it only hurts the relationship.”

“So you think they’re doing the right thing?”

Avery sat up and looked at the ocean. “Yeah. I think they’re doing the right thing.” She said.

It was not or never. Nick reached into his pocket and pulled out a ring. He was so nervous. He sat up next to her and put his arm around her. “I’m glad you feel that way.” He said and held the ring up in his fingers. “Because I think we should be crazy and get married tomorrow too.”

Avery was floored. She had not seen that coming at all! Her mouth dropped and she tried to speak but she couldn’t catch her breath. “Avery Ann Donaldson will you marry me?” Nick said and then let out a huge breath as if a weight had been lifted from his chest.

Avery looked at Nick wild with excitement. Her smile gave Nick the answer he was looking for. He slipped the ring on Avery’s finger and then they kissed. They fell backward onto the blanket, Avery on top of Nick. She kissed him again. Nick wrapped his arms around her and kissed her back. All of the sudden Avery stopped kissing him and sat up confused. “Did you say tomorrow?” she asked.

Nick sat up. “Why not? Everyone’s going to be here. There’s already going to be one surprise wedding. Why not make it two. Think about it. We’ll have just enough time to go on a honeymoon before we go on tour.”

Avery drifted off into a daydream at the mention of a honeymoon. It took a few minutes for her brain to register the rest of Nick’s sentence. “Your tour.” She said, “I don’t want to get married and then have you leave me for 5 months.”

Nick laughed. “You wouldn’t have to. You can just come with me.”

“Come with you?” Avery said as if the thought had never occurred to her before.

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Nick said. “It will be perfect. Natalie’s coming. You guys can keep each other company while we work and then we can all see the world together.”

“Natalie’s going on tour with you guys?”

“Of coarse. What did you think she was going to do?”

“I guess I hadn’t really thought about it.”

“You can come on tour with us whether we get married or not. So if you want to wait and plan your perfect dream wedding we can do that too. I just thought it might be fun to surprise everyone. And, to tell you the truth, I can’t wait to be your husband.”

Avery took a deep breath. “Husband!” she thought. She looked at Nick. “Let’s do it!” she said.

“Serious?”

“I’ve been calling myself Avery Carter for years. I’m ready to make it official!”

Nick laughed and then grabbed Avery and pulled her in for a long passionate kiss.
Chapter 25 by honey
Author's Notes:
Like I said, hope you loved it! If you like my writing, check out some of my other stories, I have a Nick one, a Brian one amd a Kevin one all posted.

And Finally...
Chapter 25.

Natalie and Avery woke up bright and early the next morning. They went out to find the perfect wedding dress for Avery. They already knew where it was from looking for a dress for Natalie. All they had to do was pick it up. Then they went to pick out a ring for Nick. After that it was time to meet their family and friends at the airport. The arrangements were so last minute that it was impossible to find flights for so many people so they had arranged to send the Backstreet Boys private jet to pick them all up. It was nice because they only had to go to the airport once and pick everyone up at the same time.

The girls hadn’t seen their families since they moved nearly 3 months ago. They were actually excited to see them. They waited anxiously at the gate for everyone to exit the plane. Josh was the first one off. “Nice ride!” he said talking about the jet.

The girls laughed. They both wanted to tell him so bad but somehow they managed not to. One by one all of their family and friends got off the plane. It was one big happy reunion in the airport. Everyone collected their bags and then followed Natalie and Avery outside where there were several huge limos waiting for them. They took them to the same hotel the girls had stayed in when they were filming the video. Everyone got checked in and then they all got dressed for the party. Once everyone was ready they all piled back in the limos and headed for James’s house.

James lived in a huge mansion not too far from where Nick lives. His house also backed up against the beach. James had gone all out for this party. The whole evening was catered and the decorations were absolutely beautiful. All of the other guests had already arrived. It was a huge turn out. “I think half of the city is here.” Natalie said to Avery as they walked through the back doors where the other guests were.

“Nick and Brian must be pretty excited.” Avery said.

They spent the next hour or so introducing their families to everyone. Then James picked up the microphone and tapped it a few times. After nobody heard it he yelled, “Quiet on the set!”

That got everyone’s attention. “First of all I want to thank you all for coming tonight. We are here celebrating a few different things tonight. First, we are here to kick off the Backstreet Boys Black & Blue World Tour 2000!” The crowd cheered and James went on with his speech, “Secondly, this is sort of a housewarming party to welcome two very dear friends to the great state of Florida!” James raised his glass and the crowd followed suit. “Natalie and Avery, welcome to the Sunshine State!” the crowd cheered again and they all drank from their glasses. “And last but not least,” James continued, “We are all here to see very first screening of Steve’s first feature length documentary. Lord help us all!” Everyone laughed. “So, since we’re all dying to see it, let’s make our way down to the theater and after that we’ll dive right in to dinner and party it up until the early hours of the morning! Let the kick off party begin!”

Everyone cheered and then made their way into the theater. The crowd filled the entire theater. There must have been close to 200 people there. Once everyone was seated, Steve stood up in front. “Thank you everyone for coming tonight.” He said, “As you all know, this film is a documentary about Natalie and Avery and the events that have led us up to this very moment in time. It’s called ‘A Modern Day Fairy Tale’ and I promise, it’s not as bad as James made it sound.” The theater laughed. “I also wanted to tell you that the film has been picked up by Fox and is going to be released in theaters nationwide this December.” There were gasps of surprise and then the crowd applauded. Once they stopped Steve continued, “So,” he said, “I know you ladies aren’t crazy about being the center of attention, but you may want to rethink becoming actresses since you’re going to be famous anyway. Natalie and Avery stand up and take a bow!”
Natalie and Avery both glared at Steve but were both pushed to a stand by Nick and Brian. They blushed as the audience cheered. They sat back down and the lights went dark. The movie turned out to be really good. It was super funny. The biggest laugh of the night was the part when Natalie and Brian were drunk. Neither of them had seen that footage and they exchanged weird looks as everyone around them laughed. People also really got a kick out of Avery freaking out about having to wear a swimsuit. Josh’s favorite part of the movie was of coarse his own interview.

The night was going well. The movie was a success. Then everyone went to the back yard where dinner was waiting for them. It was dark now but there were lights hung everywhere. The place looked spectacular. It was like something out of a movie. Dinner was coming to an end. Plates were being cleared and the caterers were bringing out the desserts. Natalie and Avery met Nick and Brian inside. “You ready?” Brian asked them.

Both girls nodded enthusiastically. They went upstairs where their dresses had been laid out for them. The girls helped each other get dressed while the guys did the same in the room next door. When they were all dressed Brian called James’ cell phone to let him know they were ready. The four of them waited while James picked up the microphone to address the group. “Well ladies and gents,” He began, “Sorry to interrupt but I want to introduce a special visitor here with us this evening.”

Everyone looked us curiously as a man in a suit joined James in front of the crowd. No one seemed to know who he was. “This is reverend Peter Miller.” James explained. “You’ll have to forgive me reverend because I’m afraid I’ve been deceiving these folks all night.”

“How so?” the reverend asked.

“Well I told everyone they were here tonight for a kick off party and well the truth is, this isn’t only a kick off party. It’s also a wedding party.”

The yard fell silent. Everyone wanted to know what he was talking about. The reverend, who knew what was going on and was playing along, laughed and said, “A wedding party? Who got married?”

“No one yet. That’s why you’re here. I need you to marry a few dear friends of mine.”

“I’d love to.” The reverend said with a smile.

Two men who had been serving at the party carried a pulpit onto the dance floor and another two rolled out a white carpet between the dinner tables forming an isle from the back door to the pulpit. The band began to play “Here Comes The Bride” and the back doors opened revealing not one but two beautiful brides with a groom on each of their arms. Everyone at the party was stunned as Brian, Natalie, Avery, and Nick stepped through the back doors. A spotlight was turned on and followed them as they walked toward the reverend. Gasps of shock and excited whispers could be heard among the guests as they realized this was not a joke.

The reverend performed a beautiful ceremony. Natalie, Avery, and both of their mothers and George, were in tears. The brides kissed their new husbands and the four of them turned around. Natalie and Avery grabbed each other’s hand and squeezed tightly as they were introduced to the party as Mr. and Mrs. Nick Carter and Mr. and Mrs. Brian Littrell. They smiled at each other and then each kissed their new husbands again and you can only guess where the night went from there!
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8095