Messing with Magic by Purpura Lipstick
Summary: Laura was your typical fan longing to meet the boys until Amber practiced her unknown talent, then Brian and Laura could not bear to be parted.








Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Brian, Group
Genres: Drama, Romance, Supernatural
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 19054 Read: 35494 Published: 10/06/06 Updated: 01/22/07

1. Chapter 1 by Purpura Lipstick

2. Chapter 2 by Purpura Lipstick

3. Chapter 3 by Purpura Lipstick

4. Chapter 4 by Purpura Lipstick

5. Chapter 5 by Purpura Lipstick

6. Chapter 6 by Purpura Lipstick

7. Chapter 7 by Purpura Lipstick

8. Chapter 8 by Purpura Lipstick

9. Chapter 9 by Purpura Lipstick

10. Chapter 10 by Purpura Lipstick

11. Chapter 11 by Purpura Lipstick

12. Chapter 12 by Purpura Lipstick

13. Chapter 13 by Purpura Lipstick

14. Chapter 14 by Purpura Lipstick

15. Chapter 15 by Purpura Lipstick

16. Chapter 16 by Purpura Lipstick

17. Chapter 17 by Purpura Lipstick

18. Chapter 18 by Purpura Lipstick

19. Chapter 19 by Purpura Lipstick

20. Chapter 20 by Purpura Lipstick

21. Chapter 21 by Purpura Lipstick

Chapter 1 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:
This is technically my first fan fiction ever written. I have lost the original so I am re-writing the story from memory. So it's new, but it's not. :-D
“Ow,” Laura slapped the hand of her best friend Amber away from her head. “Why did you pull my hair?”

Amber smirked at her friend in reply and held a single strand of long auburn hair. “You’ll see.” It was all she said as she pulled out two sticks of incense, one from the Scorpio pack, the other from the Pisces pack. Laura watched Amber tie the two sticks together using her hair. Amber put both sticks in the burner and lit them at the same time. She leaned into the smoke and spoke some words into air ending by blowing the smoke out the window and into the night.

“What was that all about?” Laura asked her friend while flipping through a magazine.

“Oh I was just messing around with something I read.” Amber didn’t want to tell her friend that she was performing a magic spell; if it didn’t work then her friend need not be any wiser. Amber grabbed the magazine from Laura and looked at the page that was open. “Yummy.” She said as she looked at a full-page picture of the Backstreet Boys. Amber licked her lips, “I can’t wait until tomorrow night when we get to see them live.” She threw the magazine back at her friend and turned up the CD. She started to dance about the small bedroom.

“Amber!” Laura hissed. “My parents will kill me if this music is too loud.” Laura turned down the music and sat back on her bed.

“Oh Laura, it’s 1997 let your parents go back to the Stone Age!” Amber giggled and danced, though she did not turn the music up louder and get her friend in trouble.

Laura shook her head and went back to reading the article. “Why does it look like Nick is always wearing lipstick?” She laughed and tossed the magazine down. She sighed and layback on her bed looking up at the Brian poster tacked to her ceiling. “I wish I could meet him.”

Amber stopped dancing and plopped down on the sleeping bag on the floor. “You and about five hundred thousand other girls.” She laughed to herself. “Besides who knows what will happen in this world?”

“He wouldn’t like me anyway; I’m still in high school.” Laura moaned.

“He likes Nick just fine and he’s the same age as you.” Amber giggled stopping when Laura turned a harsh gaze her way. “Well then stop pining after him, and then I wouldn’t make such comments.”

Laura turned out the light and turned the CD player off. “We should get some rest; we have a full day of preparation ahead of us tomorrow.”

The concert was planned in the evening, but both girls wanted to buy something to wear that might make them stand out. They were going with other friends and were meeting them all at the mall the next day. They had an idea of what they wanted to find, they had an idea of how to make them stand out in the crowd and get some attention from the boys.

*****

Brian watched the others sleep on the bus and wished he could be peaceful now. He prayed nightly that he would find someone to care for, someone to care for him. He tired of being alone, and even though he knew, his life now wasn’t great to start a relationship but he couldn’t help but want one. He longed to share his life with someone like his parents shared theirs with each other.

Quietly he slid the window open, they would reach the hotel in an hour then he would sleep for a few hours. Brian inhaled the fresh air catching a scent wafting inside. He could not place the scent, it was nothing he could remember smelling before but he was intrigued. He inhaled again hoping to smell more, but it was gone, a fleeting moment gone as they drove through the flat land.

He watched the land pass out the window; it wasn’t long until he joined his band mates in sleep, long auburn hair haunting his dreams.
Chapter 2 by Purpura Lipstick
The girls stood in the line to enter the concert venue. Amber, Laura and all their friends decided on camouflage tank tops, all seven of them were wearing one they felt it was a great way to stand out amongst the thousands of other screaming girls. The chattered on about what they thought the concert would be like, the songs they hoped to hear and of course seeing the boys for the first time since they started listening to their music a year ago.

“Can you believe we are finally here?” Laura asked Amber. “I’m so excited to finally see them.”

Amber nodded but kept her mouth shut; if things worked, the way she hoped then her friend would do more then just see them up on the stage.

The line started moving, the girls’ excitement grew with every step, and soon they were making their way through throngs of people waiting to purchase souvenirs. They found their seats and sat down waiting for the show to start.

Excitement surged through them as the music for the first opening act boomed onto the stage. The girls remained seated through all three opening acts standing a few times when little Aaron Carter came out on stage. The opening acts finished and the girls sat grinning at each other, any moment now, the boys they came to see would come onto the stage and the music would begin.

The stage darkened leaving the audience in the pale light of dusk falling. Screams escalated from all the anticipation, a loud roar breaking out when music started. Laura looked at Amber and grabbed her hands excitedly; they stood and launched into cheers with the rest of the audience when the boys made their appearance on the stage.

All through the first few songs, the girls danced and laughed, sang and cheered their hearts out. Clouds covered the sky and soon there was a drizzle in the air, but no one cared. The cheering never ceased, the songs kept coming.

Laura looked at Amber and then the rest of the group with the familiar beats of ‘Get Down’ started playing. “Ready?” She questioned them all. Standing in front of their chairs the group grinned broadly; as they began the dance, they rehearsed to this song specifically for this moment in hopes to catch their attention.

*****

He danced on the stage to the music as he was trained, but Brian was having a difficult time concentrating. There was something nagging the back of his mind, something he should be doing but he couldn’t place what it was. Then something caught his attention, it was that scent again. He moved around on the stage trying to find where the scent was the strongest. He came to the right side of the stage and it hit him the hardest, he looked towards A.J. who was looking at something in the crowd and laughing. He snapped his head in that direction and he saw a group of seven girls doing a modified line dance.

He pointed at the girls and smiled broadly at them. He scanned their faces and stopped on one, he could not look away from her. In the blinding lights of the stage and the darkness of the clouded sky, all he could see was long auburn hair.

*****

Amber turned towards Laura. “See he’s looking at you. I told you something special would happen at the concert today.”

Laura smiled and kept her eyes on Brian as he pointed to them on the stage. The music continued and the boys disappeared off the stage coming back a couple minutes later in a change of outfits. Brian was not with them. Laura was concerned she knew the altitude was difficult for my performers to adjust to and Brian had the added difficulty thanks to his heart.

He reappeared a few minutes later, and she swore he looked towards her seat again before joining the boys in the chorus.

“Excuse me miss?” A deep voice called over the crowd. Every girls head turned in the direction of the voice wondering what was going on. The man appeared to be looking directly at Laura. “Miss?” He said again.

“Yes?” Laura ventured a shout back in his direction.

“Can you come with me please?” He held out his hand to help her pass the few strangers on the aisle.
Chapter 3 by Purpura Lipstick
The man escorted Laura to a side building, she was not sure where it was located to the stage, she kept looking back towards the stage area when she left. She was nervous that she was singled out; she did not understand what was going on, had she done something wrong. The man left and alone she sat in a chair. She could hear the music from the concert voices emanating from stage. Upset, the tears started to well in her eyes. She looked forward to this concert all summer and now she was sitting away from it all. Her friends were going to rub this in so much later.

Twenty minutes passed and Laura started to pace the room anxious to get back to what little was left of the concert. Then she heard dreaded words “Goodnight, you’ve been a great audience.” She fell back into the chair and hung her head. She missed the last part of the show. Now the tears really did fall from her eyes, she never thought she’d be that upset about missing the show, but she planned for this too long not to see it in its entirety.

The door opened and someone came in. With her head in her hands, she started to talk. “Thanks for making me miss the rest of the show, why couldn’t you tell me what I did wrong to be punished this way.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know how else to talk to you.”

Laura thought the voice sounded familiar and looked up. She gasped out in surprise but could not speak any longer, her nerves were too much, Brian was standing in front of her.

He moved closer and took the other chair in the room. “I just had to meet you, I don’t know why but I felt drawn towards you.” Seeing that she was still too stunned to speak he continued. “I liked your dance.” He said smiling broadly with a hint of laughter in his voice.

Laura could feel her cheeks turning bright red.

“I only have a few moments we have one more song, the encore to perform and then we leave. What is your name?”

“Laura” she managed to say. Her name was the only word she managed to say the whole time. Later she would berate herself for not being able to say more to him.

“Write down your address on a piece of paper and give it to the guy who brought you here. I know you are practically giving a stranger your address, but I would like to write you. I still don’t know why I drawn to look at you, even with that crazy dance you were doing I couldn’t stop looking at you.” He took her hand and kissed it lightly then left as quickly as he came.

Laura stood in the room staring at her hand; his lips touched her hand she was in shock and awe at the same time. She found paper quickly and jotted down her address, she opened the door and found the man shoving the paper into his hand and hurrying back to her seat. She could hear the beginnings of the last song and made it back in time to watch most of the song. She noticed several times that Brian seemed to be looking in her direction.

The concert ended and the girls waited for the venue to clear out more, while they were sitting Laura’s friends took this time to question her about her disappearance during the show.

“What did that guy want with you?” Christina asked.

Laura couldn’t find a good excuse for being called away from her seat so she told the truth. “Brian wanted to meet me.” She said with a slight crimson coloring to her cheeks.

Christina looked at Michelle and Mike and started laughing. ‘You don’t have to lie to us if you didn’t want to tell us the truth.” The three stood up and started heading towards the exit. Laura slowly stood feeling Amber’s hand on her arm. “I believe you Laura.”

Laura smiled at Amber noticing a twinkle in the other girls’ eye that unnerved her slightly. “Thanks Amber. We should go before the others leave without us.”

Amber nodded in agreement and with one last look at the stage, she followed her friend out of the auditorium plotting her next step.
Chapter 4 by Purpura Lipstick
Laura waited for the first few weeks with eager anticipation sure she would receive at least a small note if not a signed picture from Brian. When nothing came when school started she was disappointed but determined to make her senior year her best year. Months past and she celebrated her eighteenth birthday with all her close friends.

“Hey Laura,” Michelle called to her while they were out to dinner to celebrate her birthday. “What ever happened with that ‘fated’ meeting with Brian at the concert?” She turned to Christina who joined in her laugh at their friend’s expense.

Amber glared at the girls. “Believe what you want, I believe she did meet Brian.” She did not include that she believed she made Brian want to meet with Laura.

Their friends laughed about this for a few more minutes and then settled on a different topic of conversation, who they wanted to go to the senior prom with. With dessert came the traditional birthday song sung by the wait staff; and when Laura was sufficiently red-faced the group brought out their gifts.

Laura opened her gifts and thanked each of her friends in turn. When it came to Amber, she presented an envelope. Amber moved closer to Laura and whispered in her ear, “I hope you like it.”

Smiling at her friend, she opened the envelope to reveal a birthday card; she read the outside and opened it to read the punch line. Some sort of dust flew out of the card causing Laura to start sneezing uncontrollably. After a few minutes, several stares from tables around them and the waiter seeing if he could get water or something the sneezing stopped. “What was that?” Laura asked Amber.

Amber shrugged, “I guess I spritzed some perfume in there or something that you are allergic too?” She kept smiling and pointed out that there was something else in the card for Laura. Laura looked, and sure enough, there was a gift card to Victoria’s Secret.

“You might need that for future encounters.” Amber winked giving Laura an unnerving feeling. She was about to ask Amber what she meant when the others at the table chimed in.

“Oh yes, you can get something flirty to wear under your dress for prom.” Michelle mentioned.

“Or to wear to the library to impress that boy there you are always talking about.” Mike spoke for one of the few times that evening.

Laura blushed brightly and put the card in her purse. “Thanks Amber,” She muttered though she was not sure what Amber was thinking by giving her that gift.

The night ended and Laura parted with her friends turning to Amber, “Do you need a ride?” Amber nodded her head in response.

The girls got in the car, Laura’s Backstreet Boys tape started playing immediately and the girls started singing at the top of their lungs. In the middle of Darlin’, a song they desperately wished Laura's mom's car came with a CD player so they could skip, Amber turned towards Laura and asked, “What would you do if Brian wanted to see you again?”

“In that highly unlikely situation,” Laura paused and glanced at Amber who was nodding still waiting for a reply. “I doubt it will ever happen Amber, so why even waste time thinking about it?”

*****

Brian was lying on his bed staring at the piece of paper in his hand. He did not know why he thought of the girl with auburn hair, Laura, again on this day but he felt he needed a connection to her somehow. There was no good reason he did not write her, except that he was always tired after touring to try and put down in words what was going on and ask anything about her.

He rolled to the side of the bed and put the paper back inside the bible he always had with him and turned out the light intent on getting sleep before whoever decided to room with him came barging in the room. He pulled the covers up and started to drift off; before he knew it, he was sneezing.

Nick came waltzing in during Brian’s sneezing fit. “What’s going on? Is there something you are allergic to in here?”

Brian shook his head, still sneezing, he held up his finger implying he would answer in a minute. Eventually the sneezing stopped and a teary-eyed Brian looked at Nick. “I have no idea what happened,” He said between wipes with a tissue over his nose. “I just started sneezing, I didn’t smell anything and my nose didn’t tickle beforehand either.”

Brian rolled back over turning his head from the light Nick was using to get ready for bed, sleep came over him and his mind twirled around an image of the girl whose address was tucked away in his bible.
Chapter 5 by Purpura Lipstick
Cheers rose from the crowd, the finally the day arrived and everyone in the crowd could not contain their excitement. Laura glanced to where Amber was sitting, they could not sit together on this day, and it was not up to them. They grinned broadly at each other as the announcer yelled, “I give you the Arvada West graduating class of 1998!” The cheers of the crowd got louder as the hats flew in the air, camera flashes going off in directions all around them.

The girls flew towards each other hugging in congratulations. “I never thought this day would come” Laura shouted at Amber.

“I’m so glad to be leaving this crap hold behind.” Amber nodded. “Off to bigger and better things.” The girls both applied and were accepted to the University of Northern Colorado and hoped that their freshman year would bring them excitement and surprises to come. Amber wanted to use this time to learn more about the dark arts she only began practicing on Laura and Brian. She knew she was on to something when shortly after Laura’s birthday a letter from Brian finally showed up.

The girls were not rooming together and that was fine with Amber, she did not want Laura around knowing that she was using her as guinea pig for her magic experiments.

“Oh this summer is going to be so much fun.” Laura said as their other friends showed up. Everyone hugged and made plans for that night to celebrate.

Amber leaned into Laura and whispered. “Your graduation present should arrive soon.”

*****

Brian was up for a party. He did not know why, but he wanted to celebrate. “C’mon Kev. won’t you come to the club with me?”

“Bri. it’s late and you know that we have to get up and rehearse tomorrow, early. Why the sudden desire to go out? You usually want an early night.”

Brian shrugged; he really did not have an answer for Kevin. “I’ll call A.J., I’m sure he’ll be up for a party.”

Brian picked up the phone and started dialing A.J. when the feeling passed. He set the phone back down before punching in the last number and turned to his cousin. “You know perhaps I will call it a night.”

Kevin stared at his cousin; something was definitely going on with Brian lately. There were days he acted not like himself then a sudden change and he was normal. Tonight was only one of several instances. Kevin shook his head, “What’s going on with you man?” He asked.

Brian looked up at Kevin, “What do you mean?”

“One minute you are ready to party, the next you are yourself and wanting to call it a night.”

Brian shrugged; he really had no answer for his cousin. His own actions frightened him most days. It was as if he were two people some days. He looked away form Kevin’s penetrating gaze and made his way into his room. The last time he acted this way the other guys barely noticed and he told no one of his haunting dreams of a girl he met briefly at a concert. He wrote her a letter last time and he seemed to be better for a while. Now it was starting again and it seemed to be worse. Brian sat down at his desk, pulling out a pad of paper and a pen from a nearby drawer thinking if he wrote her again he would be okay.

Just as he put the pen to the paper, his hands started to shake uncontrollably. He put the pen down and his hands stopped shaking. He shook them and went into the bathroom running them under hot water hoping it would calm whatever caused the shaking. He returned to his desk and picked up his pen, his hands started shaking again. Throwing the pen across the room, Brian stared at his hands now shaking on their own, and with no pen in their grasp.

He was scared of what was happening, was this a side effect of the medication he recently was put on? He grabbed the phone on the table nearby and started to dial the number, his hands stopped shaking immediately.

*****

Laura was on the phone with Amber when her mother came in and dropped a box on her bed. “Don’t stay on that phone all afternoon.” Her mother warned before leaving.

“Amber I just got a delivery.” Laura said somewhat shocked. “Is it your gift?”

Amber giggled, “Well sort of.”

Laura looked at the box; the return address was from out of state and only seemed slightly familiar. “Did you order something?”

“Oh just open it.” Amber prodded.

Laura held the phone between her shoulder and ear and opened the box, pulling out a cell phone and a note. “This is strange, it’s a phone.”

Amber grinned on the other line. Brian is a quick learner, she thought to herself.

Laura carefully opened the note and reading what was written she shrieked into the phone causing Amber to hold the phone at a distance. “What?” She asked when the screaming stopped.

“Brian sent me a phone. He says he bought two pre paid just for this, one for me with the number of his and vice versa. He said he would have given me the other number but he felt it was safer to have a new one just for me. That way if any number besides my phone rings him he won’t answer.” Laura laughed. “This can’t be real. Amber what kind of tricks are you playing? Am I going to call this number and get some weirdo that you arranged to play Brian?”

Amber laughed, “No I wouldn’t do that. Besides, what makes you think I sent you the phone? Perhaps Brian really did send it, you’ll just have to call and find out.” With that said, Amber hung up on her end leaving Laura in utter shock staring at the cell phone in her hand.
Chapter 6 by Purpura Lipstick
Laura stared at the phone in her hand, should she call or should she just put it off as one of Amber’s practical jokes. She set the phone down when the flashing screen caught her attention. The name that read across the screen was ‘Brian’. Laura’s heart did a flop in her chest before the thought came to her that if it really was Brian how would he know that she had the phone. Amber was in on this.

Laura hit the answer button on the phone and immediately started talking. “Amber you snot, you said you had nothing to do with this.”

Nobody responded on the other end.

“Mature, Amber, real mature. The least you could do is answer me. No need to be all huffy because I called your bluff. You almost had me going by assigning your number to ring through as ‘Brian’.” Laura laughed waiting for her friend to join in the chuckle.

“Oh,” The voice on the other end started. “For a minute I thought maybe I did program the wrong number into my phone on this end. Am I speaking to Laura?”

“Oh you are good Amber,” Laura said off to the side the person on the phone hearing still.

“This is Brian Littrell, who’s Amber?” He asked.

“She’s the girl that put you up for this. Did she pay you to do this?” Laura laughed. “You are good too; you even have that slight Kentucky accent of his.”

“Is this Laura?” The man on the other end was persistent.

“Yes,” She said cautiously not sure what to expect next.

“We met at the concert; I got your address and didn’t mail you for half a year.”

“Amber could have fed you that.”

“You barely were able to get your name out to me you were so nervous.”

Laura sat staring at the poster on her wall. She told Amber that she was cool around Brian, like it was no big deal meeting the celebrity, that they had a brief conversation.

“Oh crap, Brian?” She said realizing this guy was the real deal.

“Yes,” he said with the same tone she used earlier.

“I think I’m gonna puke.” Laura replied. “I’m so sorry I was such a snot.”

Brian laughed.

“How did you know I would have the phone?” Laura asked still not sure that Amber wouldn’t call her and tease her for believing her fake Brian.

“I didn’t.” he laughed again. “I’ve been wanting to talk with you I’ve called a couple of times.” Laura would check her phone later and see that he was telling the truth.

“Why have you wanted to talk with me?” Laura asked confused. “I’m just a fan.”
“I don’t know Laura, I really don’t know.”

Brian and Laura talked on the phone for about an hour. He talked about rehearsals, the tour, planning another album and the other guys. Laura talked about her excitement of moving to college at the end of the summer.

When the call ended, Laura fell back on her bed and gazed at the poster of Brian on the ceiling. She thought she was the luckiest girl on earth to just happen upon this chance encounter with Brian that is turning out to at least be a friendship, if not possibly more. She smiled to herself at this thought.

*****

After Brian got off the phone with Laura, he felt like himself again. There was no feeling of uncertainty of what he would do next and best of all he could pick up a pen or pencil without his hands shaking.

He shook his head as he thought about the hold this girl had on him somehow, his eyes catching a glance at his bible laying nearby. “Is this the answer to my prayer?” Brian raised his head and asked towards the heavens.

He crawled into his bed resting his eyes; soon he was asleep oblivious to the thunderstorm happening outside his window.
Chapter 7 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:
Sorry for that huge distance between updates but I couldn't think of how to start this chapter, I had about 5 beginnings before I finally got this one out. It rolled from there :-D
Amber sat on the floor in her dorm room, lit candles surrounding her, the only light in the darkness. Laura bought tickets for the next Backstreet Boy concert half a year ago; Brian didn’t even give her tickets. Amber thought things were progressing excessively slowly. In over a year the two still only talked on the phone once every few months. Amber hadn’t tried any of her magic on Laura and Brian for a while, she didn’t want things to get suspicious so instead she practiced on her professors and now had a passable GPA without attending many of her classes or turning in many assignments.

Amber ate dinner with Laura and they talked about their excitement for the concert, thrilled that it was only one more day away and that it fell on Halloween, the girls were going to wear costumes.

Tonight, the night before the concert, Amber decided that it was time Brian and Laura finally stopped dilly-dallying around and did something about their budding relationship. Amber really didn’t know about the phone calls other then what Laura revealed but there had to be something brewing, he called her all the other times with no magical influence from her.

Amber closed her eyes and concentrated, she felt she knew the exact spell to use.

*****

Laura drove towards the concert venue talking happily the whole way. She admitted she talked to Brian last night and it was making her more excited. He said there would be backstage passes waiting for them at the ticket office, but he warned her that he’d probably not have much time to talk since there would be others there and then he’d have to get ready for the show.

Amber sat in silence listening, her friend need not worry about not having enough time with Brian; she would have all the time in the world later.

“So dressed as a witch huh?” Laura spoke to Amber.

Amber nodded. “Yes, it was easy.” She grinned at her friend and looked at Laura’s costume. “And what exactly are you again?”

“I’m a flower child.” She replied while pointing to the flower wreath on her head.

“Uh huh.” Amber nodded and turned to look out her window the mass amount of farms they passed. “Moooo.” She yelled out as they drove by some cows.

Laura laughed at her friend and continued towards their destination, the remaining car ride quiet.

When they arrived, they decided to splurge and pulled into the valet parking in front of the Pepsi Center. They practically ran to the ticket off to pick up the passes. “My name is Laura Monroe; Brian set aside some backstage passes for me.” She grinned broadly.

“Sure honey,” the ticket woman replied. “Can you step aside so I can help the next person?”

Laura, shocked, moved aside.

“Laura, get up there and demand your passes, you know you should have them.” Amber yelled at her causing many young girls to stop and stare.

Laura shook her head, “I can’t.”

Amber grabbed her friends hand and pulled her towards the window cutting in front of a woman and her daughter there to pick up their tickets. “Listen here, Annie,” She blurted reading the woman’s nametag, “My friend knows she has backstage passes up here. I suggest instead of treating her like no good teen you open your drawer, or wherever it is you keep them, and get her passes out. Again her name is Laura Monroe.” Amber held her hand out towards Laura, “give me your ID Laura; I’m sure she’ll need to see it to verify something or other.”

The woman, Annie, rolled her eyes and opened the drawer if just to prove them wrong. Laura and Amber watched as Annie’s mouth opened in surprise, she swallowed and then turned towards the girls taking Laura’s ID. “I apologize; I thought you were one of the many trying to get backstage passes that hadn’t purchased any.”

Amber glared at the woman. “She said Brian put some aside for her you nitwit.”

Laura blushed in embarrassment and meekly took her passes and ID back from the woman. “Thank you.” She said and walked away.

Amber followed her. “Why did you say ‘Thank you’? She didn’t deserve that she was a bitch to you.”

Laura shrugged her friend off. “I just want to get backstage.”

The girls headed to where they were letting those with passes in to see the boys. When the girls were ushered into the room, their mouths dropped open at the boys sitting almost in front of them. They grabbed each other’s hands and squealed as quietly as they could before getting in line to greet them.

The girls walked the line, Laura smiling and greeting each of them. She asked for no autographs, she liked the other guys but she stood in line, anxious to see Brian again. He was sitting second to last next to Nick. Her face broke out in a huge grin when he looked towards her and broke out in a smile as well.

“Hi, Laura?” he questioned.

Laura nodded. She sent him a picture of her, her senior picture but her hair was shorter in the picture, she was glad he recognized her. “Hi Brian.”

“I don’t have a lot of time as you can see with the line of girls behind you, but I am so glad to see you again.” He rose from his chair, his bright blue eyes shining as he pulled her closer giving her a kiss on the cheek. “I’m glad we became friends, even if only over the phone.” He whispered in her ear as the girls behind her let out screeches of disappointment that Brian kissed a girl.

Laura walked out of the room in a daze and continued in her trance all the way to her seat. “Laura, wait up.” Amber called after her. “You left without me, I was busy talking with A.J. and you left me there.”

“He kissed my cheek.” Laura stammered and sat in her chair.

“Did the earth shake?” Amber laughed.

“What?” Laura questioned.

“Nothing.” Amber stated as she thought to herself. When the show started the girls screamed, danced, and sang along with the guys.

“This is a great show, so unbelievable.” Laura shouted to her friend over the crowd noise.

“Just wait, the real unbelievable part will begin when the show ends.” Amber quietly muttered to herself quiet enough that Laura could not hear her over the noise.
Chapter 8 by Purpura Lipstick
“That concert was great; too bad the girls behind us had to be such boobs.” Amber relayed when they got back into Laura’s car. Earlier the girls decided to get a hotel room downtown as opposed to driving all the way back to their dorm, Laura turned her car in that direction nodding to Amber’s comment.

“No kidding, we paid our money if we wanted to stand we were well within our rights.” Laura laughed her cheeks turning crimson as she suddenly remembered what happened before the concert. “I still can’t believe he kissed me and thanked me and called me a friend.” Laura sighed.

Amber smiled, “Did you doubt once he got to know you that you wouldn’t be friends?”

Laura shrugged. “I never thought I’d get to meet him, let alone get to know him.”

“Well tell me, you keep way too much to yourself. Is he everything you thought he’d be?”

Laura blushed crimson again and tried to keep her face away from Amber, which was difficult while keeping her eyes on the road.

“You can tell me.” Amber prodded as they turned into the hotel-parking garage.

“He’s a lot like what we read, devoted to God, sweet, caring and funny.” Laura sighed hoping that Amber would stop there.

“Yeah but we read those things.” Amber turned to face Laura, the car now safely parked in a spot she proceeded to grab Laura’s arm. “Tell me something more before we leave this car.”

Laura stared down at Amber’s hand holding her arm. “He’s told me a lot of his feelings about touring and his management and the other guys. What he’s told me is not for me to tell.”

Amber rolled her eyes. “I don’t want to know that stuff anyway, tell me something about how he talks to you, how he is with you.”

“He’s talked about wishing we were closer. He’s glad he bought the phones and even admitted to me,” Laura turned towards Amber and whispered. “He’s told me he thinks I’m an answer to his prayers. That’s all I’m telling you.”

Amber watched as Laura turned bright red then unlocked the doors. The girls got out of the car, got their bags and headed towards the doorway into the lounge. They made their way to the desk and checked in; quietly they headed towards their room on the fifth floor. They proceeded to get ready for bed, knowing that they would not sleep; they would stay up and chat about the concert.

*****

Brian looked around his hotel room and sighed. He wished he had more time with Laura to talk with her before the concert. He liked talking to her, and though he didn’t have time to call her often, he thought of her many times. He never confessed the budding feelings he was having towards Laura to the other guys. He could hear them now:

“Brian you barely know her,” Kevin would say.
“And she’s a fan.” The others would all say.

Brian shook his head trying to shake the doubt from his mind. They were probably right, he would continue talking on the phone with her but that was probably all it would ever be.

He moved into the bathroom to brush his teeth trying to keep thoughts of Laura from his mind. He leaned down to spit the toothpaste out and when he came back up, he glanced in the mirror, Laura looking back at him. He quickly turned around but she was not there. He looked back at the mirror and her face was there again staring at him, waiting for him.

He turned on the cold water and splashed his face several times, he dabbed his face off and looked again, and she was gone. With a sigh of relief, he moved towards the room and lay down on the bed. Thoughts of Laura must have made him think he was seeing her. He pulled his covers up and turned off the light ready to get some sleep before leaving in the morning.

“Brian,” He heard a voice whisper.

“Yes?” he asked, wondering if one of the guys came into the room though he won the toss to have the single. When no one responded, he shrugged it off believing he was just hearing things. Turning over he pulled the covers tighter, even with the heat running he was chilled from the Colorado air.

“Brian,” he heard the voice call out again this time he sat up to see who was in the room playing a prank on him.

“It’s not funny Nick. I want to sleep.” He turned on the light sitting up. He looked around seeing no one. He glanced across to mirror over the desk in the room and let out a gasp. Laura’s face was looking out at him through the mirror.

“Brian,” the mirror Laura spoke in a whisper.

He looked at his reflection next to hers and knew what he needed to do. He got out of bed threw his pants back, grabbed a shirt and his jacket and exited his hotel room. Soon he made his way out of the hotel and out into the chilly October night.

*****

Laura tossed and turned in her bed. The girls called it a night an hour before and now Amber slept peacefully while Laura could not get the image of Brian out of her head. When she closed her eyes, she saw his face looking back at her. She called out in her sleep, “Brian” She whispered.

Her eyes flew open and she glanced around the room. She looked over at Amber sleeping peacefully. She had to get some fresh air, she had to leave, and she knew where she wanted to go. Quietly she put clothes on and grabbed her shoes. She tiptoed through the room and cautiously opened the door. She breathed easy when she was in the hallway, Amber still snoozing peacefully on the other side of the door.

Amber heard the door click close and laughed quietly in her bed. She could not believe how power she had become in the last couple of years. Now that Laura’s love life was taken care of, she needed to focus on her own.
Chapter 9 by Purpura Lipstick
Brian reached the doors to the concert venue and stood outside, the night continued to get chilly and he held his jacket tighter around his body, a light dusting of snow began to fall from the sky as he rushed to find some shelter. He didn’t understand how he made it back to the venue; it was as if something was guiding him here. He did not fight it, but stood freezing wondering what he was doing here exactly.

He waited for another twenty minutes and decided that he needed to get back to his room before people began to wonder where he was. He turned to leave when he saw another figure approaching. As the figure got closer, he saw that it was a female with flowing long hair and a slender body.

Finally, the figure reached him and he stood smiling at Laura. “So you are the reason I wanted to be here.” He smiled and reached out to hug her.

Laura fell into Brian’s hug and held him close, breathing in the smell of his shampoo and soap. “I don’t know why, but I felt compelled to come here.” She said smiling at him when they released their hold on each other.

“Me too.” He said taking Laura’s hands. “Your hands are cold, we should get somewhere warm.” He looked around his surroundings spying a coffee shop not too far away. “Let’s head over there.” He started moving in that direction holding Laura’s hand as they walked.

They entered the building and shook themselves off the few flakes that settled on their coats and found a table semi-close to the door. Laura smiled at the few Halloween decorations and ordered a hot chocolate when the server came around. The two sat in silence until their hot drinks arrived.

Laura held her mug in her hands warming them. “So how is your family?” Laura asked, Brian had told her a little bit about them in their phone conversations and she couldn’t think of a better way to break the silence between them.

“They’re good.” Brian muttered. He didn’t want to talk about his family so he quickly changed the subject. “How is school going? What are you majoring in again?”

Laura smiled and talked about the university and all her classes. “I am an elementary math major; I hope to teach one day.” She concluded.

“So you are studying the easy math?” Brian teased.

“Oh I’d like to see you try my classes, choir boy.” Laura teased quickly blushing and covering her mouth with her hand. She hoped she did not offend him, this was the first time they really talked face to face and she did not want it to be their last.

Brian laughed. “Okay, okay.” He said. He moved his hand to cover hers, his thumb rubbing the back of her hand gently. “Laura,” He spoke. “I don’t know how this happened, how I was drawn to you and why I feel this need to be around you, but I’m glad I’ve met you.” Now it was his turn to blush slightly.

“I don’t know how to put this, but I’ll try.” His bright blue eyes gazed directly into hers and he held them there as he spoke. “I would like to be something more.”

Laura gasped at Brian unable to believe what he just said. “Brian,” was all she was able to mutter.
“I know it is sort of cheesy to just straight as you to be my girlfriend, but would you do me the honor?” Brian looked embarrassed at his question.

Laura laughed causing Brian to look even more embarrassed. She stopped quickly and looked at him taking in his slightly curly hair, it looked so soft she just wanted to reach out and twirl her fingers in it. “Brian, I’m surprised.” She leaned closer to the table and motioned him to come forward then whispered. “I’m a fan.”

Brian shook his head. “I know and I don’t care, I just want to be with you.” He thought for a second. “Though I don’t know how,” He stopped and thought. “I don’t think it would be possible for you to come on to our next show would it?”

Laura thought about it for a few seconds before her reality shattered the illusion. “I have a test this week and I really can’t miss a class. I’m done for the semester on the fifteenth.” She said hopefully.

Brian nodded. “We have a break around Christmas too, but I usually go home to see my family and I’m sure you’ll want to see yours.” He sighed. “I see now why no one does long distance relationships.” He shrugged. “We will have to keep in tough over the phone and stay friends.” He sounded heartbroken unable to change their circumstances to be together.

Brian glanced at his watch. “I really need to get back, I’m sure someone has noticed I’m gone.” He looked up at Laura’s face, which looked as sad as he felt. He dangled a dream come true for her and many other fans and then yanked it away because it didn’t seem to work out right away. He helped her put her coat on and then pulled his on as well; sadly, they walked through the door.

They reached an intersection and Laura stopped looking at him. “Well I’m this way.” She leaned forward and hugged Brian tightly, for the last time she thought.

“I’m sorry.” Brian whispered in her ear. He let her go and watched her walk away, then turned and started to walk away as well. A thought struck him and he turned around, “Laura!” he shouted causing bystanders to turn and look. He started to job forward and caught up with her.

“To hell with this,” He started, “We’ll find a way.” With that said he pulled her close and pressed his lips to hers causing both their hearts to flutter with excitement.

*****

Amber looked into the water she spilled on the countertop, its surface forming the images of Brian and Laura locked in their kiss.

“About time.” She stated before muttering a few more words over the surface of the water before wiping the counter with a towel and heading back to bed.
Chapter 10 by Purpura Lipstick
Laura turned over in bed and watched Brian sleeping. His face looked calm and relaxed, though even in sleep it appeared that he was smiling. It was something Laura loved about him, he always had a quick smile and what a smile. Laura grinned as she continued to watch him sleep. The night passed like a dream. They stayed up all night talking, only sleeping when neither of them could keep their eyes open any longer.

“Hello.” Brian said immediately smiling at Laura.

Laura smiled back, “Hello.” She replied meekly.

Brian reached over brushing a few strands of Laura’s auburn hair from her face. “I wish I could stay here forever.”

As if on cue, a knocking sound came from Brian’s door. “Brian, we got to get going, get up.” Howie’s voice wafted through the door.

“Coming!” Brian shouted back. He threw back the covers and found a new shirt ripping the old one off and throwing the new blue collared one on. “We have to think of a way to get you out of here without people seeing.” He said hastily.

Laura jumped out of bed and ran into the bathroom shutting the door. She swore she heard the doorknob to the room being turned. She locked the door and sat down on the toilet as she heard voices on the other side of the door talking to Brian.

“Bri, what’s taking you so long man?” She heard Nick’s voice.

“I slept in late.” Brian answered; an uneasy tone could be heard even to Laura.

“Hey Brian, what are these?”

Laura looked down at her feet; her shoes were still in the other room. Nick must have found them. She slapped her forehead.

“Why’s the bathroom door closed?” Nick asked even more persistent, the door knob to the bathroom jiggling a short time later. She heard Nick gasp, “Brian do you have a … girl… in here?” There was a playful tone in Nick’s voice, but Laura still hoped Brian would deny it. She really did not want to come face to face with the other four guys today.

“Nick, Brian we need to be leaving now.” A deep voice that Laura did not recognize yelled into the room.

She heard shuffling in the other room then a small knock on the bathroom door. “Laura,” Brian whispered through it. “I can’t be long, the guys are all downstairs, now would be the time for you to make your exit.”

Laura moved quickly to the door and opened it smiling broadly. “Thank you.” She said taking her shoes from him. She headed towards the door and moved into the hallway. She turned towards Brian. “Well,” She started before she could continue Brian pulled her close forcing butterflies to flutter in her stomach. He gently pressed his lips to hers.

“I will call you,” He said when they broke their kiss. He turned grabbing his bag quickly and started down the stairs.

“About time Brian,” She heard someone say as he got down there. She moved towards the stairs and looked down at the boys leaving amidst their security guards. She smiled unable to believe what occurred the night before, she didn’t even notice when Nick turned around casually and looked her direction.

*****

Laura walked back to the hotel she and Amber were staying at. She had no idea how Amber was going to react to being left all night while Laura was out chatting up a Backstreet Boy.

Laura cautiously opened the hotel room door and immediately saw Amber, showered and dressed sitting in a chair waiting for her arrival.

“Did you have fun?” Amber asked with a smug tone.

Laura blushed, “I can explain where I was,” She started.

“Laura, I know where you were.” Amber said as she stood and threw her clothing into her bag. “You were trying to get a peek at the boys before they left town.” She beamed to her friend.

Laura nodded. “Yes, that is exactly what I was doing.” She paused and looked towards her un-slept in bed. “Amber, I have got to tell you.” She sat on her bed and looked at her friend. “Last night, for some reason I was drawn back to the Pepsi Center. When I got there, Brian was waiting under the eaves.” She waited to see Amber’s reaction.

Amber looked at her calmly urging her to continue.

“We went to a coffee shop and talked for a bit and then well he asked me to, well he asked me if I wanted to be with him.” Laura had to pause to let her heart slow the beating in her chest. “Of course, we decided that we just couldn’t do that with our different lives, but when we were about to part for the evening he kissed me.”

Laura’s face turned a bright crimson and she hid her face from Amber hoping she would not see.

“I feel so childish.” She stated. “We ended up back in his room, we talked all night long, and it was wonderful.” She finished.

“You were in his room and you only talked?” Amber asked in a teasing tone.

Laura nodded. “He said he’d call me, and it ended there, the others were hounding him to leave.”

Laura watched Amber turn her head, unsure what she was doing Laura decided she needed to pack her bags so they could head back up to college.

*****

Nick turned to Brian on the bus and stared his friend down. “So who’s the girl I saw holding the shoes at the top of the stairs?”
Chapter 11 by Purpura Lipstick
Brian looked at Nick with a confused look on his face. “What do you mean, Nick?”

“Brian stop pretending.” He lowered his voice so the others couldn’t hear. “I saw her standing at the top of the stairs when we were leaving. She was holding the shoes I found in your room.”

“She was an employee of the hotel. I gave them to her to find their owner… I have no idea how they ended up in my room.” Brian hoped he wasn’t blushing; he needed Nick and the others to know nothing about his feelings for this girl.

“Brian, this “hotel employee” wasn’t wearing any shoes.”

Brian’s jaw dropped open and he saw the smug look on Nick’s face before he turned back around in his seat calling back. “When you want to talk, I’ll listen.”

Brian glanced around trying to spy where the other guys were. Not seeing them within earshot, he moved closer to Nick. “You have to promise you won’t tell the other guys. I am still not completely sure what is happening with her, but …” He didn’t know how to finish that statement just yet.

Nick looked seriously at Brian. “I swear.” He said before a chuckle burst out of him. “I’m sorry, I am serious, it’s just she’s a girl man. We’ve all met a girl in a town before and had a ‘fling’ with them; it’s no big deal that you finally joined the ranks.” Nick punched Brian’s shoulder playfully.

“It’s not like that Nick.” He didn’t expect his young friend to understand completely but he felt that maybe if he told someone else then he would figure out what to do exactly.

“When we were in Colorado for our first tour, I felt drawn to this girl in the crowd. I managed to arrange a meeting with her and I got her address and wrote her a few times. A few months passed and I felt I wanted to get to know her better,” Brian omitted the sick feeling he got unless he contacted her. “So I bought us a pair of cell phones to call each other. I’ve been talking to her for the past year or so.”

“So you’ve made friends with a fan? Is she sane?”

Brian glared at Nick, “She’s normal, a big fan, but normal. Last night we were drawn to meet each other and we talked all night. It was her that was in the bathroom this morning.”

“So did you do her so you can get her out of your mind?”

Brian punched Nick’s arm. “Stop! It’s not like that; we talked and kissed a couple times, nothing more.”

“Well what are you going to do now? It’s not like you live in the same state as her, and you sort of travel frequently.” Nick pointed out the exact thing Brian was trying to figure a way around.

“We are still working on things.”

“She can’t be who you want to be with Brian, she’s a fan, in Colorado. Shit, I think you are losing it.” Nick ended the conversation by putting his headphones over his ears and cranking up his music.

Brian moved back to his seat and turned to watch the road from outside the window.

*****

Laura stared at the whiteboard and the equations upon it, unable to focus on the question her professor asked the entire class. A wave of relief washed over her when the professor called on someone other then herself to finally answer.

Lately, Laura was unable to concentrate, ever since she got back from her one night with Brian. She just could not understand why she could not concentrate; it was only one night of talking nothing more then they were already doing occasionally on the phone, only in person. Brian had actually called quite a few times since that morning he said he would, each conversation lasting at least 2 hours. Laura knew that he had to be tired, but he insisted on talking with her when he could.

Laura took her phone out of her backpack and flipped it open, no missed calls; he hadn’t tried to call yet today. Laura noticed her leg was starting to shake again; it was something else she noticed herself doing after her night with Brian. She could not sit still very long; if her leg wasn’t bouncing she was tapping a pencil on the table much to the chagrin of her table mates.

Glancing at her watch, she sighed in relief when the class was dismissed.

“Laura, can I have a word with you?” Her professor stopped her on her way out.

She held in a sigh of frustration and turned to face the man who spoke to her.

“I’ve noticed you have lost focus lately.” He started. “Your last test grade was low; I know you knew the stuff, what happened? Is there anything you’d like to talk about?”

Laura shook her head and kept her mouth closed. There was no way she wanted to talk about how she was falling in love with a man she wasn’t sure could be hers even if he wanted. “Nope.” She verbally answered. “Is that all?”

“I just want to warn you that you need to study and pay attention in class.” He looked concerned but Laura quickly turned and left before he could try to have any more conversations with her.

She stepped out of the classroom and as if by magic, her cell phone began to vibrate in her hand.

“Hello, Brian.” She said knowing it was him; he was the only one to use this number.

“Laura I have a small amount of time to talk to you before we need to finish getting ready for the show.”

“I am so glad you called Brian, I needed to hear your voice.” She held the phone tighter to her ear as if it would bring Brian closer to her.
“I needed to talk to you too. Laura I want you here, I can’t bear to be apart anymore.”

“Brian, we’ve been over this several times already.”

“How about just for this weekend? I could buy you a ticket and we could spend a day together, I have to perform one of the days, but we’d have one full day.” He sounded so hopeful on the phone, Laura couldn’t stand disappointing him yet again.

“Okay, let’s do it!” She said grinning broadly. “I would love to see you again.”

The tone in Brian’s voice lifted quickly on the phone. “I can’t believe it’s only been a couple weeks since we last saw each other, it feels like months.”

Laura nodded to herself. “I know.”

“So I’ll get you that ticket and ship it overnight to you. I can’t wait to see you.” There was a pause and Laura could hear another voice talking to Brian and his voice responding. “I gotta go babe, I’ll see you this weekend.”

Laura clicked her phone off and smiled as she walked back to her dorm room. She opened the door to her room and leaned against the door after closing it. “He called me babe.” She sighed and moved inside to pack a bag for the weekend.
Chapter 12 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:
Sorry I was trying to finish DOV this month and now I am focusing on this story. I hope you all enjoy.
Her hand was shaking uncontrollably, though she tried to calm it several times by holding it during the flight. When she did hold it, her leg started to shake to compensate. She watched out the window, she ate her snacks but there was nothing that could calm her as she flew through the sky to meet up with Brian.

The man sitting in the aisle seat next to her continually got annoyed with Laura and her restlessness. He sighed loudly several times and even went so far as to ask the flight attendant if there were any other available seats he could sit in for the duration of the flight. She merely shook her head and apologized, giving him a complimentary alcoholic beverage.

Laura finally managed to lay her head down against the cool plane window and close her eyes.

“Ma’am,” the flight attendants voice rang through her hears. “Miss, we are getting ready to land, please put your seat back in its upright position.”

Laura sat up and looked out the window, the ground was getting closer. Her nerves started again, her hand shaking. The man next to her rolled his eyes and muttered something under his breath about being sat next to the people afraid to fly.

While she exited the flight, she couldn’t help but sway side to side in the aisle wondering what was taking everyone so long. She only had a backpack with clothes; she couldn’t understand why people had suitcases with them. She had one thing on her mind and it wasn’t the consideration of others, but she held her tongue and only pushed once to get off the plane.

She looked around the airport hoping to catch a familiar face, hoping that Brian would be the one who would pick her up. She felt fine on the plane, but the queasy feeling she had before was returning. She left the terminal and walked to the baggage claim keeping her eyes open for anyone that might look familiar. Her face fell in disappointment when she only saw a sign bearing her name and a driver wearing a black outfit holding it.

“That’s me,” She walked up to the guy and followed him out of the building. Her one last hope was that Brian was waiting in the car for her. She should’ve known he would not have come, he would be busy. Her disappointment showed when she reached the car and he was not in there. She sighed and entered the car, holding her stomach to try and make it feel better as the car drove.

They reached a hotel and Laura exited the car, following another man with a sign. This man checked her in and showed her to her room.

“Brian said he will be here shortly and hopes you had a smooth flight.” The man said before leaving.

Laura sighed and looked briefly around the room, it was nothing spectacular, but it meant she was that much closer to Brian. She kicked her shoes off and fell on the bed sighing in happiness.

A knock on the door sounded the room startling Laura, “I must have been sleeping.” She muttered to herself. She peeped through the hole and smiled broadly at the sight of Brian on the other side of the door. She opened the door and immediately threw her arms around him holding him tight.

“I am so happy to see you.” She whispered in his ear, pulling him inside.

“I am thrilled that you could come.” Brian leaned forward and pressed his lips lightly on Laura’s. He moved away and smiled holding her tight.

“So what’s on the agenda?” Laura asked excitedly.

“Well I only came back here to grab you, and the guys are pissed I did. The show starts shortly.” He laughed, his bright blue eyes shining.

“What? We better get going. I will not be responsible for holding up a concert.” She chuckled, grabbed her purse and ran out the door grabbing Brian’s hand and pulling him after her.

Laura stood in her spot towards the front of the stage, glares from girls around her not bothering her. She came in and took a prime spot each of them were waiting to take if no one showed up for the seat. More than that, she was escorted there by a man many knew to be a bodyguard for the boys.

The queasy feeling in Laura’s stomach strengthened and she felt that she might be sick in that very spot waiting for the concert. She did not like this feeling; she did not want to get sick during her time with Brian. She choked down the feeling and tried to hide it.

*****

“Brian, that was stupid of you to run off like that. One of the bodyguards or stage hands could have gotten her. You took a big risk at not making it back with enough time.” Howie lectured.

Brian turned to Howie and threw up right in front of his band mate. “Sorry.” He muttered before grabbing a bottle of water to rinse his mouth out.

“I hope that was just nerves.” A.J. shouted from across the room.

Brian nodded, he hoped it was too. He wasn’t sure when this sick feeling came over him, but it was sudden and he did not want to be sick. Not when he had to perform that night and definitely not now since Laura was actually in town.

He took a drink of water and wiped his mouth off. “Let’s go.” He said to the others and hoped that he would not have the urge to throw up on stage. That was the last thing anyone needed that night.

He made his way to the stage and looked down where Laura was standing, his ill feeling completely leaving his body. It must have been nerves. He internally sighed with relief and joined in the song with the others.
Chapter 13 by Purpura Lipstick
Brian and Laura rode over to the hotel in silence, holding each others hands. Laura thought the concert was amazing and it didn’t hurt to have one of the performers constantly looking down at you smiling. She kept thinking back to the concert and beaming with the knowledge that he was looking at her.

“You have the biggest grin, is there a secret I should know about?” Brian asked breaking the silence.

“I am just thinking about the concert.” She turned to him and looking into his sparkling blue eyes.

Brian nodded and leaned forward. “I wanted to jump off the stage several times tonight.”

“Why’s that?” Laura asked finding the answer as Brian kissed her passionately. She responded by opening her mouth slightly allowing his tongue to slide inside.

They managed to make their way to Brian’s room before they continued to kiss, Brian struggling to take his jacket off and toss it on the floor. Keeping their lips pressed together Laura moved her hands to start unbuttoning Brian’s shirt, pushing it quickly on the floor behind him. Pulling away only for a second, Brian smiled at Laura then tucked his hand behind her head pulling her in to kiss her again.

Laura let her hands explore Brian’s warm chest, then moved her hands to his back running her nails lightly up and down, she could feel the goose bumps rising on his skin. They moved towards the bed and lay down, continuing their kiss.

Laura pulled away from Brian and looked into his eyes. “Are you sure you want to be doing this?” She asked him.

“Only if you are.” He replied kissing her neck gently.

Laura thought about it while Brian continued to kiss her gently on her collarbone. She always told herself she would wait until she was married, and then she altered that to that she would wait until she was in love. Was she in love with Brian? Would he sleep with her and then never talk to her again like many assumed famous guys would.

Brian could sense her hesitation and stopped kissing her. “I can understand if you want to wait Laura, I can understand if you have concerns, but ….” He paused as if he had to make sure he wanted to say what he wanted to say. “… but I love you.” He blushed brightly after making the confession. “I hope that doesn’t scare you off.”

Laura blushed to hear the confession but she knew deep down that she felt the same way. “I love you too, Brian.” She replied and held him tight to her. They kissed again, pausing to remove Laura’s shirt.

Laura giggled as Brian ran his had down her side. The two continued to kiss each other and explore each others bodies until they could no longer contain their desire for each other. They held each other tight as they made love, and then fell asleep in each other’s arms.

The early morning light crept through the window shining in Laura’s eyes waking her. She looked next to her as Brian slept, his eyes fluttering, the light waking him as well.

“I guess we should have closed those curtains before we went to sleep.” Brian snuggled closer to Laura, putting his arms around her and holding her tight.

“So what do we do now?” Laura asked.

“Well I was thinking about ordering room service and staying in this room all day.” He grinned at Laura hoping she would catch his meaning.

Laura laughed and got out of the bed. “I’ll be right back.”

“What do you want to eat?”

“Just get me some scrambled eggs and bacon.” She smiled at continued into the bathroom.

Laura sat on the edge of the bathtub and took in her surroundings, assessing the situation. Brian loved her, she loved him and they just made love. How did this happen to her? She was a very lucky girl, and did not want to question it too much, she was afraid that any second she would wake up and it would all be over, a dream to torture her with its realism.

She stood and looked in the mirror fixing her hair and taking a sip of water, swishing it around her mouth. She wished they were in her room, and then she could brush her teeth. She splashed some water on her face and then exited the room, catching a glimpse of Brian stretching in front of the bed.

“Getting ready for some strenuous activity.” She joked.

He turned and grinned at her, moving forward taking her in his arms and kissing her. “Best to be prepared. Wouldn’t want to pull anything.” He moved in to kiss her again, a knock at the door interrupting them.

“Room service.” The voice behind the door called.

The couple looked at each other and Brian brought the food inside, sitting on the bed they fed each other the fruit Brian ordered kissing between bites.

“Brian?” A voice called from the other side of the door. “Are you feeling alright today man? I mean yesterday…”

“I’m fine,” Brian shouted back before the voice could get out that he was sick before the show. “I’ll meet you and the guys for lunch.”

The voice did not answer so they assumed the person was gone. They looked at each other and laughed.

*****

Amber stood in front of a mirror chanting slightly. The spell was only a vision spell; she hoped that this morning the couple would be decent as she did not want to catch them in anything intimate. She opened her eyes and glanced in the mirror, Brian and Laura were together on the bed, feeding each other. Amber smirked.

“Things are progressing nicely. I should probably pack my bags.” She turned from the image and started to pack for a trip she would be taking later.
Chapter 14 by Purpura Lipstick
Brian and Laura said their good-byes early in the morning since Laura’s flight was an early one they decided to have an early night and sleep in separate rooms. The next morning Laura rose and felt a little queasy. She finished gathering all her stuff and then managed to climb in the car Brian set up for her. The closer to the airport she got, the worse she began to feel.

Head throbbing in pain, Laura got out of the car and approached the ticket counter. She managed to get checked in and made her way towards the security gates. She started to feel hot, then cold, then hot again. She did not want to be coming down with something, she needed to get home.

“Miss, are you sure you are alright to fly today?” One of the security officers asked her

“I have to get home.” She said and continued on her way.

By the time she arrived at the gate her face was pale and pasty, she could not see herself but the lady behind the ticket counter told her she needed to wait for further instruction before she would be allowed to board the plane.

Laura managed to lay herself down on the uncomfortable chairs and waited to find out about the plane.

“Ma’am.” a woman’s voice called to Laura. “I am afraid we can’t let you on the plane that way. We don’t want to get the other passengers sick. Is there a place we can call for you to stay?”

Laura nodded and managed to produce a pad of paper with the name and number of the hotel she just left only a couple hours ago.

“Is there anyone you can call to join you? I don’t think you should be here on your own, being this sick and all.”

Laura nodded and produced her phone, hitting her speed dial for Amber. “Amber,” she managed to croak out. “they won’t let me on the plane, I’m too sick, can you come here to be with me?”

“Of course Laura, I’ll be on the next flight.”

Laura closed the phone and held it close to her chest breathing deeply, causing her to cough for several minutes. She could feel the eyes of everyone around her staring her down, many moved further away, afraid to catch what she had.

Someone finally arrived to help her to the cab that the airport called for her. She climbed in and fell onto the seat lying down. The driver knew where to go, he kept the window between closed, afraid of her germs. They arrived soon and Laura was thankful, she wanted to make her way upstairs and crawl into bed, curl up and sleep.

She made her way to her room, after checking in, and did just that. She kicked off her shoes and lay down on the bed. She closed her eyes and was soon sleeping soundly.

*****

Brian woke up in his bed and reached out next to him, hoping to find Laura beside him. Of course she wasn’t since they decided to sleep separately so that they could make their departure times on time. Brian rolled over and looked at the clock next to the bed. Laura would be at the airport boarding her flight about now.

He got out of bed and threw on some clean clothes. He couldn’t wipe the grin off of his face despite the hollow empty feeling of his stomach.

“I just need to eat something.” He told himself and prepared to meet the guys for breakfast before they boarded their bus.

The second he stepped out of his room a headache started, still he thought nothing of it, he still thought he just needed to eat some breakfast and have a drink of water. By the time he found the others he felt horrible and could barely stand.

“I don’t think that incident before the show yesterday was nervous jitters.” Kevin said when he took one look at his cousin. His light brown hair was wet with sweat that dripped down his pale face.

“I don’t feel good.” Was all Brian managed to mutter before falling towards the ground, Howie quick into action was able to keep him from smashing onto the floor.

Howie, with the help of A.J. managed to get Brian up to his room. “I don’t think we should be leaving today.” He said to A.J. “I think we should call a doctor too, who knows if his heart is acting up again, better safe then sorry.” He moved towards the phone and dialed information. Getting the number of a doctor that would come to the hotel to check on Brian.

The guys all paced the room with their managers as they waited for the doctor to arrive. He stepped inside and saw all the concerned faces and smiled weakly at them before moving to Brian’s bedside. He took out his stethoscope and pressed it to Brian’s chest, his shirt having been removed by A.J. earlier.

“Well I can’t think anything is wrong with his heart, it sounds fine to me. Further tests would be needed but I think he just has a bad case of the flu from looking at him. Has he been in contact with anyone that has come down with the flu?” He looked at everyone, the managers were shaking their heads, the guys kept their eyes averted.

“Well,” Nick started, “He’s been talking to a girl and she flew out yesterday to visit.”

“Where is she?” the doctor asked.

“She left this morning.” Kevin interjected.

“Excuse me,” a voice from behind them spoke. “I couldn’t help but overhear, since the door is still open, but a girl that was staying here yesterday checked back in because she was not well enough to fly out today.” The woman told them the room she was in and the doctor made his way to her.

A couple minutes later he was back in the room with everyone else. “It appears they both have a bad case of the flu. I suggest that neither one travel until they are fully healed.” With that he left.

Everyone looked at each other and then back at Brian who slept soundly on his bed. They were going to have to cancel a concert or two.
Chapter 15 by Purpura Lipstick
Laura wasn’t sure she really heard a knock at her door. The doctor had come and gone already giving her some medication, who else could be at the door. “Laura, it’s me Amber I got a key, I’m coming in.” Amber’s voiced called through the door.

The door opened and Laura heard Amber come in and put her stuff down on a chair before coming closer. “I’m taking an awful big risk here, what if I get sick?” There was a tone of teasing in her voice almost as if she didn’t believe Laura really was sick. She pushed Laura over and took a spot on the bed; Laura tried to push her off.

“Move or you’ll catch it.”

“I really don’t think I can catch this sickness Laura, and don’t worry I’ll make you better soon. Do you know what room Brian is in by chance?”

Laura looked up at Amber with an expression of confusion. “Why?” She asked before breaking into a cough that seemed to last at least ten minutes.

Amber shrugged. “I was just curious if you knew if he was here?”

Laura nodded, “He’s sick too, one of us gave the other something.” She shrugged. “I think I overheard the doctor saying that he was visiting another patient in room 438 down the hall.”

Amber nodded, “We’ll go visiting tonight.” She mumbled so that Laura could not hear her over the new cough Laura started. Laura soon drifted off the sleep and Amber decided to crack open her suitcase. She pulled out several candles and a few other ingredients. She sat amidst the lit candles and chanted to herself, she was taking a big risk doing this with Laura in the room, but it needed to be done tonight before they left, tonight while she had her chance.

“Amber?” Laura coughed, waking from her sleep. Amber looked at her from the chair. She finished her spell long ago and was now reading to pass the time until Laura was ready for her journey.

“Laura you are awake, good, we are going for a walk.”

“But,” She started to protest, but Amber shushed her and helped her stand.

“You will feel better when we get there I promise you that. Plus it will make you feel better to be with the one you love.” She managed to open the door and get Laura out. The walk was slow but she managed to get there and knock on Brian’s door.

She lucked out; A.J. happened to be in the room and opened the door. “What’s this?” He questioned staring at Amber and Laura who still looked as sick as ever next to her. “Why are you bringing her here?”

“I figured they are both sick, what’s the harm in them being together, might actually help them feel better to be near each other.” Amber grinned broadly and made her way through the door. She put Laura on the bed next to Brian and took a seat nearby.

“Hi,” Brian muttered to Laura. “I see you didn’t manage to get out today.”

Laura attempted to laugh, but her cough took over. When it finally subsided she smiled back. “I see you didn’t manage to continue with the tour either.”

“Yah, tell me about it, I don’t think the managers are too happy with that, or having to fly out here in the first place.” The two talked and Amber and A.J. watched as the color returned to their cheeks and the coughing slowed.

Amber looked towards A.J. “See what did I tell you, being around each other would make them feel better.”

A.J. moved closer to Amber and watched the two on the bed. “Well, it certainly is a miracle; we were all worried about him.” He smiled down at Amber. “How about you and I go down and get them some soup, to see if they can keep it down. Maybe grab some coffee while we are there. You know give these two a bit of time alone.”

Amber grinned up at A.J. “I would love to.” She followed A.J. out of the room grinning broadly. Let the games begin.
Chapter 16 by Purpura Lipstick
Laura and Brian lay on the bed looking at each other, holding each others hands and smiling. They were both too tired to talk anymore, but both were fighting off sleep. Neither one wanted to close their eyes and sleep; afraid that the other would no longer be there when they opened them next. Eventually both could no longer keep their eyes open and they drifted off to sleep holding each other’s hands.

“A.J., look how cute they look on the bed.” Amber spoke silently. They returned with soup for the two after having coffee for an hour. She turned towards the other man and put her arm around his waist. “What can we find to do until they wake up?” She winked at A.J. and put the soup down on the dresser and pulled A.J. towards the door.

She pulled him into the hallway and moved in, pressing her lips tightly to his.

“Do you have a room to yourself?” Amber asked, “If not, Laura’s not in ours.” She smiled widely and A.J. smiled back nodding as she pulled him towards her vacated room.

“A.J., who’s the girl?” Nick called out.

A.J. looked up at Nick. “A new friend.” He laughed and continued to walk with Amber towards the room.

“Wait up; I wanna meet your friend.” He stuck his hand out towards Amber. “Nick.” He stated.

Amber held her hand out for Nick smirking, her spell was working wonderfully. “Amber.” She replied smiling wickedly. Nick leaned down and kissed Amber’s hand unsure of why he was doing so, but he couldn’t help it. He smiled back at Amber.

“Perhaps I might be able to have dinner with you later?”

A.J. looked stunned at Nick, where did his manners come from all of sudden? Taking Amber by the elbow he began to lead her away from Nick and his new strange behavior. “I don’t know what’s got into him. It’s best to just ignore it I suppose.”

Amber smiled to herself. “Oh yes, ignore it. I sure will do that.” As A.J. opened the door to the room, Amber peered around him to glance back and Nick. She caught his eye and licked her lips.

*****

Only a few hours later Laura and Brian sat up in bed and felt completely better. “Now how is it that you make me feel better by only being around?” He asked tucking her hair behind her ear and kissing her softly. They smiled at each other and moved to get up when a noise outside the door stopped them. They looked at each other and shrugged moving closer to catch the words being exchanged only a few feet away.

“A.J. you’ve spent enough time with her, she wants to go with me, let her.” Nick’s voice rang out clearly through the door.

“I am bonding with her; you would not know what that was about.” A.J. answered.

Brian looked at Laura and rolled his eyes. “Sounds like they found a girl to fight over, again.”

“Sounds like they are getting rough.” Laura noticed that muffled sounds of hitting were coming through the door.

“Boys,” Amber’s voice rang out. “Please.”

“That’s Amber.” Laura muffled her laugh. “Who would have thought she would get two to fight over her.”

Brian motioned for Laura to stand back. “I better stop them before they get hurt.”
He opened the door and stood gaping at Nick and A.J. fighting in the hallway. Nick must have charged A.J., he was holding onto A.J. behind the kneecaps, his head resting in A.J’s gut. A.J. was trying to grab Nick to stop him and flip him over.

“STOP!” Brian shouted at the two. They did not stop, so Brian forced his way over to them and tried to separate them, getting knocked over in the process. Amber, who was closer, rushed over to help him up.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for this to happen.” She said helping him to his feet.

“That’s alright,” Brian started looking into Amber’s eyes. “I can see why they were fighting.”

Laura noticed this and looked confused. “Brian?” She questioned.

Brian did not hear her; instead he turned his attention to Amber. “So why they fight it out, how about you and I go grab a bite to eat, I am famished. Haven’t been able to keep anything down for the last few days.”

Amber’s eyes registered shock, she tried to say something, but only watched Laura turn and run off towards their room. This was not supposed to happen; Brian was supposed to be immune. How was she going to explain this to Laura?
Chapter 17 by Purpura Lipstick
Laura sat in her room, her knees pulled tight to her chest, head buried. “Laura you have to listen to me.” Amber pleaded, but Laura kept her pose. “This wasn’t supposed to happen.” Amber flung herself over a chair and sighed in frustration.

“Brian was supposed to be immune.” She quietly spoke.

“Immune?” Laura looked up, her tear stained eyes puffy. “From what? What did you do Amber?” She demanded.

Amber sighed and looked at her friend. “Do you remember a few years ago when I plucked that hair from your head?”

Laura stared at her friend trying to recall the incident. “I think so, you wrapped it around… incense or something and burned it.”

Amber nodded and continued. “Well that was my first spell, since then I’ve been practicing more. Small stuff here and there, trying to get better so that I could one day, as corny as this sounds, I really wanted to meet the guys and hang out with them.” Amber fiddled with her thumbs afraid to look Laura in the eyes, afraid of the accusations she knew she would see.

“So you practiced huh? On me? On Brian? Were we your guinea pigs! Was any of this real?” Laura’s voice choked on the words, tears already falling. “You were behind this, how am I supposed to know if any of this was real. I can’t believe you Amber!”

“The spells were never to make you and Brian fall in love, I never cast a love spell. They always go wrong, I only cast spells that made you two never want to be separated, to always be together.”

A pillow flew across the room, barely missing Amber’s head. “How could you?” Laura turned towards the bathroom and locked herself inside the tiny room, leaning against the door she slid to the floor to sit. She knew it had been too good to be true, that something like that could really happen to her, that something so incredible could actually happen to a fan, but it was nothing more than a trick her friend orchestrated so she could have something fantastic happen to her later. She stared at the tile floor and let the tears flow from her eyes, though a sound never escaping from her lips.

Staring at the door, Amber could not hear anything going on in the room. “Laura?” She questioned. “I’m going to go and give you some space.” She turned to leave, opening the door scaring both herself and Nick.

“Nick, what are you doing here?” She asked nervous as to what he might have heard.

He stood staring at the girl. “You…freak.” He spat out and ran off towards the rooms he and the guys were sharing. He practically broke down the door to Brian’s room. “Brian, you’ll never believe what I just overheard.”

*****

The Bible lay open in his hands, a few water droplets making the words blurred. He took the news from Nick in stride until his friend was gone. Then he prayed. He read the Bible, he asked God for guidance. He could not believe something that was so wonderful, something that brought such joy into his life was given to him through trickery. He read the Bible for hours but now sat staring at the window holding the book.

A small knock on the door brought him around again. He meekly called out, “go away.”

“Brian?” a small whisper came from the other side of the door. “Brian, please.”

He walked like a zombie towards the door and opened it, staring blankly at Laura on the other side.

“Brian we need to talk.” She moved to come inside the room, but Brian barred her way. “Brian?” She questioned.

“Nick told me everything, he overheard Amber telling you.” His voice was flat, his face solid. He was breaking inside but he would not let Laura see that. “You and your friend thought it would be fun to play with magic, to force me to like you. Typical fan.” He spat at her and turned to shut the door.

“It wasn’t me.” Laura pleaded. “I had nothing to do with it Brian. Let me in, please, let’s talk. I can’t believe everything we shared, everything we had was because of what Amber did.”

“It’s against what I believe, Laura!” He turned back to her, a fire in his eyes, but not the fire Laura loved to see. “She tricked me using powers, powers I do not understand nor want to understand. How can I believe you had nothing to do with it, how can I believe that what we had was anything more then this trick?” He turned again, this time shutting the door before Laura could protest.

Brian stood on the other side of the door, hearing the sobs Laura was openly crying. His face softened, he could not stand to hear Laura crying. He wanted to hold her, console her, tell her that everything would be alright, that they could work things out. He almost opened the door to her, to let her in, but he spied the open Bible on the bed where he put it when answering the door.

He turned his head upwards and spoke softly. “Dear God, what should I do?” His tears now falling freely from his face, sobs matching Laura’s who was still on the other side of his doorway.
Chapter 18 by Purpura Lipstick
Laura stared at Brian’s door for awhile longer before turning and heading back to her room. She could not believe what was going on, the conclusion her romance with Brian was ending and not in any way she ever could have imagined. Amber was sitting in a chair when Laura got back; she did not look at her so-called friend but grabbed her bag and threw the few things she unpacked back in her bag.

“I’m going home.” She muttered and left the room. She practically ran out of the hotel and hailed a taxi. She got in as quickly as she could, in her attempt the slam the door she collided with an arm pulling the door open again.

“What’s going on?” Kevin asked pulling Laura back out of the car. “What happened? Nick and A.J. are fighting, Brian is locked in his room not talking with anyone, and you are leaving in a hurry. Tell me what is going on.”

Wiping her nose with her free arm, Laura stared at Kevin. “Ask Nick, he seems keen on telling everyone things he has not business telling and messing up everything.”

“What has Nick have to do with you and Brian?” He managed to pull Laura back inside the hotel and into a corner of the lounge. Laura could see a bodyguard nearby, keeping his distance from the conversation he knew would be private.

Laura shook her head; she did not want any more of the boys knowing the strife, knowing what Amber did to her and Brian. Brian thought horrible things about her and she did not want the others too as well, though she was sure Nick would tell them in due time. “I don’t want to be the one to tarnish your view of me.” She kept looking at her hands; she could not face Kevin and the look she knew she was getting from him.

“It has something to do with your friend arriving doesn’t it?” He asked taking hold of Laura’s hands.

“Kevin she did something, unusual that involved me and Brian. It’s something out of fiction, strange; I don’t know what to make of it. Brian thinks I had something to do with it and won’t even talk to me about it.” She poured out the words before she could stop herself.

“Give him some time, he’ll calm down. His faith will calm him and he will be ready to forgive and talk.” Kevin’s voice was soothing to Laura but she knew that Brian would never come around. Magic wasn’t something a person of faith could easily forgive, especially if it was practiced on him.

She shook her head and looked up at Kevin shaking her head. “He won’t but thanks for trying.” She looked past him noticing Brian talking to the bodyguard. He looked towards her, her sudden of intake of breath caught Kevin’s attention and he turned to look in the direction she was looking. He saw Brian, watched as Brian turned from the room and jogged back upstairs.

“I’ll see what I can do.” Kevin said standing and following Brian up to his room. Rapping lightly on the door Kevin called out to Brian. “Will you talk to me?”

The door opened and Kevin walked in noting the bed in disarray, the Bible open close by and tissues littering the floor. “Brian what is going on? Laura says something happened that even you would never forgive her for. Brian you are the most forgiving person I’ve met. What is going on?”

Brian stared at his cousin. “You wanna know? Her friend used magic to make me like Laura.”

“Do you know that for sure?” Kevin asked, taking in what he was just told. He could not believe magic was involved, wasn’t that something out of fantasy books and movies.

“Nick heard Amber confess it to Laura!” Brian flung his arms in the air and moved to the bed, throwing himself on it, clutching a pillow tight.

“Did he hear it all, or did he just say what he heard?”

“Are you trying to stand up for what she did? None of it was real Kevin! The whole thing was a shame. I cannot trust Laura anymore, how do I know what we had was real? There is no way to tell. It’s over between us. I thought she was the answer to my prayers, but instead she took me down a path I never wanted to venture down.”

Kevin sat looking at his cousin unable to comprehend, it was all too fast. If he did not understand, he was sure that Brian was in a fit of confusion. “Can you condemn someone for the action of her friend?”

Brian rolled his eyes at Kevin. “Please stop. I’ve made my decision. It’s over. We continue on tour tomorrow morning and I could use the sleep. I am looking forward to moving on and leaving this all behind me.”

Kevin sighed and glanced towards the door, wondering what Laura was going to do now.
Chapter 19 by Purpura Lipstick
The ground looked small below her as Laura watched the ground outside her plane window. It did not take her long to hail another cab after Kevin left her alone in the lobby. She knew Brian would not be swayed so why stay. She needed to get back and try to focus on school as well. Her parents would not be happy if she failed out of college.

She glanced at her CD player and sighed, removing the Backstreet Boys CD that had made a home for itself there. She did not want to hear his voice; it would do her no good. She put in another CD and shoved her headphones over her ears hoping to drown out the voices, though quiet, around her.

She attempted to close her eyes to get some sleep, but it was no use, Brian’s face telling her that he would not listen to her, that she tricked him, it was all she saw. Quietly she crawled over the passenger next to her and made her way to the tiny bathroom. She managed to splash some water on her face.

“Get a grip Laura; you are probably still feeling the effects of Amber’s spell. None of it was real.” She told herself, tears streaming down her face. The evening they shared together, giving themselves to each other completely came back to her mind. It took all she had to hold the sobs inside, willing herself not to make a sound. She found her way back to her seat and buried her head in a shirt she managed to take from Brian.

After what seemed like the longest plane ride, Laura walked half asleep, got her luggage and managed to get to her car parked in long term parking. If asked, she would never be able to recall how she managed to drive her car all the way back to school. How she got inside or how she even unpacked. She could remember sitting on her bed, hugging her pillow staring at Amber’s bed.

Her friend betrayed her; the man she loved would never talk to her again. She didn’t know what she was going to do anymore. Forcing herself up, she made her way into the bathroom and began to fill the tub with water, maybe a nice soak would do some good.

She lay amidst the bubbles unable to keep the image of the way Brian looked at her from her mind. She thought she heard a noise outside her door, jumping slightly she heard an object splash in the water.

“Hello?” She called out. When no one answered she searched the bathwater for what fell in pulling out Amber’s razor. Holding the razor inches from her, Laura’s tears fell and for the first time in hours she let loose all her cries of sadness.

*****

Brian watched the road; he watched the cars drive by. Images blurred as the bus sped along. The hurt look on Laura’s face was all he could see when he closed his eyes, so he chose to stare out the window, hoping that other images would take over.

“Brian,” Howie’s calm voice sounded as Brian felt the older man sit down. “Kevin told me. I am willing to listen if you are willing to talk.” He said nothing more, just sat next to Brian quietly letting Brian watch the road. After an hour of silence Brian turned to Howie.
“So you know what happened, and how I could never forgive it. How it’s against what I believe. I pray for Laura and Amber, but I cannot understand.”

Howie nodded. “I see.”

“Nick thinks I’m in the right, A.J. looked at me with a frown. Kevin has told me he thinks I should forgive them both. I pray for an answer, what is your opinion?” Brian asked watching as his friend mulled over the question.

“Well, I do remember seeing some different behavior out of you lately.” Howie started.

“See, it was … it was Amber.” Brian turned back towards the window and began to watch the road again.

“Amber? No, Brian I saw you smiling, I saw you happy. You were excited to see Laura, thrilled when she called you. When you two were together you were the most happy I’ve seen you in a long time. Now I don’t know what this ‘magic’ was that Amber preformed. But I doubt that whatever it was she did could make you feel the way you did about Laura. As far as I know the only person to have power over your emotions is yourself. You are a man of strong faith Brian, I doubt that anything evil could find it’s way into your heart and rule over you.” Howie put his hand on his friend’s shoulder and squeezed it slightly before standing and moving to another spot on the bus.
Chapter 20 by Purpura Lipstick
The months passed and Laura sat in her room staring at the phone Brian gave her, willing it to ring. She could’ve called him, but she was sure he would not answer. Sighing she turned back to her computer screen and started typing her term paper. She was not sure how she made it through this semester at college; she lost the man she loved and her best friend. Now a loner, she stuck to her room, her only happy time being in her speech class where a guy in her small group was determined to make her smile every time he saw her.

She couldn’t take the silence anymore. She picked up the phone and dialed Brian’s number.

“Hello Laura.” Brian answered.

Laura almost too shocked to answer managed to mutter out a ‘hello’ as her response. “I didn’t think you would answer.”

“Well someone suggested it was time I forgave you, it’s been awhile.”

“So you talking to me is because someone else told you to, not because you want to?” She asked happy that someone else told him to talk to her, but disappointed that he did not come to the decision on his own.

There was nothing but silence on both ends for awhile before Brian spoke again. “So what did you call about?”

“I just wanted to talk, I miss you is all. I miss having someone to talk to. I lost both you and Amber at the same time.”

“I know, but you can understand my position can’t you?” Brian asked keeping the calm in his voice though he could hear Laura begin to cry.

“You wouldn’t listen to me Brian; you took one side of the story, the side from someone who overheard the truth none-the-less and then wouldn’t let me talk.”

“Laura, I know, I should’ve listened, but I was upset. I’ll listen now.”

“I had no idea what Amber was doing, I knew about the one spell, but I thought she was just joking around I never thought any of this would happen. Believe me.”

Brian was silent; he didn’t know how to respond. Their first meeting was because of Amber and Laura new about the spell then, but she couldn’t have known the direction it would take.

“Laura, can we talk about something else?”

“Only if you tell me you believe me. I can’t go on talking to you if you don’t believe me.” Laura choked the words out hoping that Brian would say that he did indeed believe her and that everything would be alright.

“I can’t believe you completely yet. But I would like to get to know you without the influence of Amber.” Brian spoke, but was unsure if he would ever know if any interaction between himself and Laura would be without Amber’s influence. He was talking to a girl he would never have met if Amber never preformed a magic spell on him.

“I guess I can take that for now.” Laura played with her mouse pad and started to talk to Brian about school. She had a lot to pour out; with no one to talk to for awhile she had a lot to say. They chatted for another hour or so and then said their good-byes. Laura felt better already.

****

Brian ended the phone call with Laura and sat looking at Howie. “Was I civil enough?”

Howie nodded. “You’ll thank me later. I believe you and Laura should at least be friends again.”

Brian rolled his eyes at his friend and turned away waiting for Howie to leave the room. He didn’t want to admit it to his friend, but he was glad Howie made him take Laura’s phone call. Hearing her voice made him feel better. He smiled to himself almost immediately dropping the frown again when he remembered their relationship starting out the same way again. Was Amber behind his mood again? How would he ever know again?

He dropped his phone on the table next to him and picked up his Bible, turning to God to be his guiding light. He needed advice from someone outside of his friends, outside his family. He decided that the next city they stopped in, he would seek out a church and talk to a pracher.
Chapter 21 by Purpura Lipstick
Author's Notes:
It's over... I hope you enjoyed.
The Preacher had given Brian his advice and Brian listened intently, but still followed his own thoughts on the matter, keeping the words from the Preacher in the back of his mind. It wasn’t until midway through the next year that Brian was forced to re-evaluate his life. The ring of his cell phone broke his concentration.

“Brian, I have some news.” Laura said immediately. He noted how she neither said if the news was good or bad. “It’s Amber…” ‘Here it is’ He thought. Amber’s been up to her old tricks and his warm feelings that returned towards Laura were because of magic again. Instead of voicing his anger, as he would have half a year ago, he listened until Laura finished. “Brian, Amber’s dead.”

He was not expecting those words to come over the phone line. He could hear Laura sniffle into the phone. Despite their friendship coming to an end, she still wept for this girl who put them through so much.

“I don’t’ know what to say.” He really did not have anything to say. He knew he should comfort her, but how much comfort did she want and how much. Any comfort towards Amber would be difficult for him to produce.

“There’s more.” Laura continued. What else could there be, Amber was dead, did she perform one final bit of magic on the two of them. “You know that guy I’ve been seeing?” Of course he knew. They talked about him; she finally started dating the guy because Brian kept telling her they could be nothing more then friends over and over again. Did the creep dump her, would he have to help her get over this loss at the same time as Amber’s death?

“Brain, he proposed, I accepted. We’re engaged!”

Engaged? He sat staring at the wall in front of him, unsure how this could be. It wasn’t like they knew each other for long. They met last semester in her speech class. “Wow!” he finally managed to say.

“That’s it?” Laura questioned a hopeful sound to her voice.

“Are you happy?” He asked.

“Incredibly,” a little giggle escaping over the phone.

“What a range to your news.” He had to change the subject an unknown hurt was swelling inside and talking about Amber and how horrible she was would be better then discussing Laura’s engagement.

“I know, I should be said, Amber is dead, but she was behind the biggest heartbreak in my life.” She paused there as if waiting for Brian to say something, anything. When he didn’t say anything she continued. “I can’t help be glad she can’t mess up my new good thing.”

Brian knew this guy was a good thing in her life, bringing her back to the girl he knew and, did he love her, he was starting to believe he did at one point without aid of Amber’s magic. “I am happy for you.” He managed to say hoping he did sound happy, not disappointed.

“I can’t believe how happy I am again. Brian, thank you for being an ear, I don’t’ know if anything could’ve happened with us again, you kept saying ‘no’. It made me seek out other happiness and I found Mark.”

Brian choked back his words, it was too fast, she hardly knew the guy, and he wanted to tell her.

“So I will give you more details later, and you will definitely be invited. You are such a good friend.” Laura finished and said good-bye leaving Brian sitting dumbly wondering what exactly was going on. Why did he feel this way? He told Laura countless times that nothing would happen between them again. He should be glad she found love and would no longer be looking for anything more between them.

Why was he thinking about this? He should be moving on, finding a new girl to date, worrying about the next album not thinking about how Laura was making a huge mistake to rush into marriage.

He sighed and dropped the cell phone on the table. Climbing into bed, he pulled the sheets up under his chin and laid there thinking about that day he spoke with the Preacher, everything he said he did feel again but it was too late. He was not going to be that guy that told Laura one day there was no chance only to convince her to leave her boyfriend because he was having second thoughts about that.

Throwing his covers over his face, the words of the Preacher came back. He was right and Laura was gone forever.

*****

“You’ve come to talk to me?” The Pastor asked Brian. “Your name again?”

“Brian,” Brian told him. “Recently I met a girl and fell in love.”

“Congratulations.” The preacher spoke before Brian could finish.

“Well, the thing is, her best friend practiced…” Brian looked up at the man before him and then looked back down at his feet. Quickly he mumbled. “…magic… to get me and her friend together.”

The man said nothing but pondered the word in his head. Brian, now anxious looked back at the man before him and began to speak. “I did the right thing calling it off and breaking the connection between us right? I’ve started to talk to her again, but there can be nothing but a possible friendship.”

“If that is what you think is best for you, but you believe the magic is what made you love this girl I take it?” He watched as Brian nodded. “Well, Brian, only you and God can allow someone to enter your heart and dwell there. Nothing evil can live in your heart so if you loved her then whatever magic preformed did not force her into your heart, she was not the one that preformed the evil deed, and she can not be accounted for the actions of her friend. She can not be held responsible for her friend’s actions. What I suggest is if you have any feelings for this girl, let her know. The day will come that you regret holding this against her and you will lose her.”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8115