Murmure by KaySweet
Summary: Marrige, and infedelity don't mix. Brian's past is quickly catchig up to him, While his future is hanging on the line...
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Other
Genres: Drama, Suspense
Warnings: Death, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 18171 Read: 27167 Published: 10/16/06 Updated: 12/27/06

1. Chapter One by KaySweet

2. Chapter Two by KaySweet

3. Chapter Three by KaySweet

4. Chapter Four by KaySweet

5. Chapter Five by KaySweet

6. Chapter Six by KaySweet

7. Chapter Seven by KaySweet

8. Chapter Eight by KaySweet

9. Chapter Nine by KaySweet

10. Chapter Ten by KaySweet

11. Chapter Eleven by KaySweet

12. Chapter Twelve by KaySweet

13. Chapter Thirteen by KaySweet

14. Chapter Fourteen by KaySweet

Chapter One by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
This story is a good one, short, but good. Enjoy
She slipped her hands inside his shirt resting it over his heart; she could feel the folds stick together as the red ooze came to the surface. Quickly she tore a piece of her shirt stuffing it into the wound.

Brian felt her hand as it was closer to his heart than ever, how could how’ve not died. He felt the pain come again and the shaking.

“My fingers” he cried feeling them shake and twitch on their own “Aghhh” he whined, lurching his head forward, he felt his heart pulse forward slamming against his ribs “Stop the pain” he screamed the blood from his heart escaped through his veins into the opening sweeping through his throat. The motioned moved his shaky surroundings even more ferociously

Brian’s hand slipped from around the object he was holding tearing across the rough round surface. Everything was in a maze as he clamored for something. A tense horse screech bellowed again piercing Brian’s ears; he felt the tingling feeling reach his shoulders then his chest as it shook his whole body.

Within moments his body slammed against the surface. His adrenaline rocketed ditching into one last effort to overcome the frenzy.

His veins were like an overloaded circuit, and it was traveling through his brain. He felt more and more out of control as they surged through his body forcing him into a spasm “I don’t wanna die!” he screamed, trying to recapture the faces that surrounded him, total strangers had come to his aid, and there was nothing they could do. “Oh God Please” he whimpered chocking up more blood.

The last pulse was like was the strongest, rushing up like a bowling ball in a water pipe bulldozing it’s way through Brains worn out body. It his last nerve sucking everything from him, he felt the light come, a soft glow appearing in front of him, faintly at first “I don’t want the light” he sobbed inaudibly, his tongue was now down his throat constricting his breathing. Then it hit him, the bowling ball had stuck all parts of his brain.

“Move out of the way” A EMT rushed to the scene, four other’s grabbed Brian’s lower and upper body forcing him down.
Chapter Two by KaySweet
The deadpan sound of the monitor was in step the green line sweeping across the monitor. A cold cool metal chest compressor moved over his lifeless body.

“Clear” the doctor ordered holding the handles tightly as he pressed firmly against his chest. A swift voltage of shock ran across the wires into the electrodes taped to his skin “Come on don’t give up on us now” he said in a low whisper pulling the equipment away while the nurse checked for a pulse and air passageway. “Again” the doctor ordered as the operator prepped the machine counting to three “and clear.”

His tongue moved forward against his teeth as air was forced through his lungs; expanding them against his rib broken ribcage. He gasped in pain trying hard to suck in through filling his lungs with more air, then choking it out.

“Bring ‘im round” a voice said soothingly. Something plastic was placed over his mouth as he continued to breath, it was too much for his lungs. He choked as more air was forced down his through “easy now — Mariah the Pentobarbital please.”

He was alive, but his lashes were stuck together, he could gradually see the pink through his eyelids as the light faded in through the corner of his eyes. He felt someone touch his jaw with something smooth, like the back of a fingernail. It ran longwise across his face as they removed the breathing mask. The tube wrapped around between his upper lip and his nasal cavity. More hands were gently applying pressure around his jaw. Pain spun through his cheekbone and jaw and his mouth reacted clenching shut, the force of his bottom and lower teeth against each other was weak and he could feel the dryness of his tongue as he tried to swallow.

“The Family is here” another voice was farther away.

The lids of his eyes were pulled up and a bright white light stinging his eyes “Pupils are dilated” the other was lifted, his head moved to the side away from the light “Hold him still.”

His throat forced out more air as the diaphragm moved to speak. No sound made it past his dry throat, he gulped again forcing himself to try again “help” he plead in a horse whisper.

“It’s alright Brian, we’ve got you” the voice came closer “Just relax.”

Mariah, the nurse tapped the needle then pressed it into the vein in Brian’s arm. A soft, warm sensation overpowered his body driving the voices farther and farther away.

…………


“Ma’am, Sir” Doctor Preston walked in the waiting room. Jackie stood up holding Brian’s baby girl in her arms rocking her back and forth. “My name is Dr. Preston; I’m going to be taking care of your son while he is staying here.” Brian’s parents’ nodded “A wreck like that should have claimed his life. Your son is very lucky to be alive. I’m just amazed; the accident he condition he was in as well” the doctor shook his head baffled “this sort of thing is one most patients would not survive.” He paused “None-the-less there was a decent amount of damage done; he has broken his ribs, his fibula which is the lateral most two bones in the lower section of the pelvic limb. His right jaw is fractured” he sighed “In short, he has a long recovery. As far as brain damage, there was no problem with the frontal lobe, meaning he could have any problems from slow motor skills to mood and personality disorders to paralyses.”

“It seems that he may have suffered from Tonic Seizer which means he may have been awake during the event. The one thing we are not certain of is if he can recall anything from the accident. When the officers came to the scene the car was to mangled in that tree to see what exactly happened without a further investigation.”

Brian’s parent’s nodded as the doctor explained the summation of Brian’s condition “Can we go see him?” Jackie asked holding Brian’s four month old daughter. Her big blue eyes stared at the stesoscope around the doctor’s neck, and she babbled pointing at it as it gleamed in the light.

“Sure, I would ask that you try to restrain from touching him. He is a bit squeamish, and the more he moves the more he damages what we have tried to fix.” The doctor looked around remembering the young man he had just spent the last hour fixing had a wedding ring on his left hand “Is the wife here?” he asked candidly.

“She isn’t in the picture anymore” Harold answered in a murmure. The doctor nodded understanding. He opened his hand beckoning them to follow him to the room.


……….

Hearing voices surrounding the room, he woke up lethargically from his sleep and looked around. His eyes no longer glued shut by the caked blood around his lashes. No, now they opened slowly revealing the bland grey walls and the people leaning up against it. The first he saw though, as his vision cleared, was his Mother, her sweet face was drawn and pale and her eyes swollen from tears. A loving hand was securely wrapped across her back while the other entertained an infant in her arms. His dad paused looking Brian’s way, a content smile covering his face.

Moving her chair back and handing the child away to his Dad, Brian’s mom walked towards him, her eyes glistening with tears.

“You’re alright” she smiled wanting so much to touch him, to let him know she was there. Brian looked back trying to smile weekly “They thought you had a heart attack after you fell, but you were so lucky, thank God your…” her voice trailed off.

Brian looked at the girl now in his father’s arms. He had no recollection of her but the ends of his nerves were to frayed to force questions. He could manage just one tail now, and that was the last twenty minutes before he blacked out.

“What happened” he asked, directing the question to his Dad.

“We don’t know son” The usually very stern, and confident voice cracked back “We’re just lucky you’re alive.”

“Alive” he whispered to himself. He had seen the white light, he was sure he was dead; he had defied that and now but he was still in some strange hospital, speaking, remembering everything but the accident that had brought him here.
Chapter Three by KaySweet
Parker sat on the edge of the bench as he looked at the mess of metal and glass “It looks like something busted the airbag, from the looks of it” he said moving the long stem of wheat in his mouth. The ends bounced around like peacock feathers as he spoke “Though I must say, it’s hard to see how he survived.”

“Officer Macarthur said it was about a ten foot drop from where the car was suspended.” Parker’s partner, Dallas spouted after draining his cup of coffee.

“Imagine that, you go for a joyride near dusk and yah end up in a tree just by the highway. You break through the barriers, and the stupid thing that’s s’posed to save you, the airbag, is the thing that kicks yah out of the car and throws you to the ground.” Parker walked over to the shambled mess “The only problem is, even running into a tree wouldn’t have caused that much damage. His jaw was near busted.”

“Who knows, he had a nice car he was ridin’ in too. Didn’t someone say he was one of those people from that one boy band thing?”

Parker pressed his hand against the door hinge; the metal was twisted like it had been scathed in a monster truck, it’s so malleable, or at least it was I wonder if there was a fire that caused it.”

“A fire” Dallas asked sarcastically, chuckling to himself “You and your wild stories Parker. Didn’t you see how light that car was, it was bound to happen, especially if it ran though some huge limbs, not to mention the railing, used to keep people on the road.”

“Excuse us” A voice came from the opening in the garage, a man and a woman walked in holding up their badges “I’m Detective Campbell, and this is Detective Taylor” The taller, bulkier male pointed to his companion as they both held up their badges.

“We just need to see the vehicle.” Detective Taylor announced walking over to the heap of metal.”

“I thought you took all you needed from the scene” Parker said suspiciously.

“Well this is the biggest part of our scene, you were housing for us, correct.” She answered haughtily ending with a rhetorical question.

Dallas moved towards Detective Campbell with an open hand “Course, forgive Parker, he’s been away and just got back this morning. He’s still catchin’ up on things”

Both Detectives’ nodded; Detective Campbell looked sideways at the vehicle “We have a few people coming over now to place the car in a air tight enclosure. I’m sure you won’t mind if they let themselves in.”

“Sure” Parker smiled wryly “We just fix ‘em, and hold them for people like you. Do with it what you will.”

The detectives walked around the premises around the car as if they still had something to look for.

“Didn’t you people find the other passenger in the car? I heard she died. Didn’t she fall on her head and crush it or something?” Detective Campbell looked up staring at the two men. His gloved hand felt around the handle on the passenger side door.

“Almost,” his voice sounded displeased “she was caught by one of the tree limbs on the way down, one of the weaker limbs broke leaving a sharp stub it pierced her ventral artery giving her a hernia before she reached the bottom. After that she rolled down the hill further into the gully.”
………….


Jackie had stayed with her son throughout the night while her husband had left with their granddaughter. The detectives had come earlier that evening and told her and her husband about the forensics experts investigating the case. Harold was emphatic about finding out why this situation was investigatory.

“There’s no reason to claim this as anything less than an accident” his voice was tired and flat.

Detective Campbell eyed him “We found the body of a women in the car, further along the gully, and a knife on the scene. She suffered a hernia, and your son has a stab wound near his heart. This is much more than just your mundane accident”

Jackie covered her mouth, squeezing her husbands hand tightly as she started to shake “My son wouldn’t hurt anyone. Leighanne was an angel, she would never, never” her words choked out as her lips curled under. Harold rubbed his head as he searched desperately around the waiting room for a place to escape.

“We need everything we can get. From your son and from you”

“Do you know if your daughter-in-law and your son had any marital problems” Detective Taylor asked leaning forward speaking in a soft tone, cases like these were many times more sympathetic to the wife “Has your son been abusive in anyway, or has your daughter-in-law show any bruises?”

Jackie’s eyes went wide as her face contorted into an unimaginable shocked expression “Brian would never. Never do anything like that.”

“Did they have any marital problems, fights, did they seem happy” Detective Campbell asked.

“Brian has always been happy with Leighanne” Jackie cried pulling a tissue from a box of Kleenex “They have a beautiful baby girl, and I just. No” she said frustrated.

“Brian came home early this summer, with his daughter when Leighanne was away with her family. He asked if we could keep track of her for a few days” Harold turned his head back to the officers “He just said he had to do some things in the studio and didn’t want her to have to be in a hotel, when we were just as close, and better suited.”

“When was that” Detective Taylor asked as detective Campbell wrote the words on a notepad.

Harold sighed leaning into the faded blue 70’s style couch “A few months back. We’ve had her since. No plea from Leighanne to take her. I just assumed that they didn’t want to take the child on tour.”

“We kept in contact with Brian though; he was doing some promotional traveling with the boys.”

“Boys” Detective

“He’s in a boy-band. They’ve been pretty big throughout the world. Most teen girls know them as the Backstreet Boys.” Harold answered flatly.

“Any reason for anyone in this group to want to harm your son” Detective Campbell asked.

“I wouldn’t think so” Harold answered slowly and honestly. “He has been in this group for a long time, more than a decade.”

“Can you tell us where these people live, everyone is a suspect in this case, as well as yourselves” the detective informed them. Jackie looked a Harold petrified, her face turning white as snow.

Now she sat in Brian’s room which was filled with roses and notes from thousands of fans. She was frustrated and past tears, stiffly she whipped her nose watching the clock tick by.

She and her husband had been in Kentucky this whole time. How could they have perpetrated something like this? She knew Brian wasn’t insane, or vile enough to kill anyone let alone his own wife. He valued life and the sanctity of it, never has he done anything less this or could have, or would have. Would he? “No” Jackie told herself allowed, her son turned his head his eyes opening slowly “I’m sorry, sweetheart go back to sleep.” She forced a smile across her face touching the railing of the bed.

“Where’s everyone else” Brian asked dazed, he had been sleeping so well, the medication still made him drowsy and reaction sluggish.

“Your Dad took Kili home so I could stay with you.”

“Who’s Kili?” Brian asked he desperately wanted to sit up, but every muscle in his body refused, his brain was construing the agonizing pain it would cause.

“Your daughter” Jackie’s eyes narrowed “Don’t you remember”

“I don’t remember anything, let alone a daughter” his mouth was dry “I remember giving you and Dad a girl to keep for me while I searched for protective services.”

Jackie’s words dropped and she licked her lips searching for something to grasp too “But, you told your father.”

“I wasn’t about to take a child home to Leighanne, she would’ve flipped” Brian said erratically. The tone in his voice went soft “She was beautiful wasn’t she” he said suppressing a smile.

“Yes” Jackie answered confused “Where did you find her?”
Chapter Four by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
Another chapter's up

Give me your thoughts :)
Brian laid in the bed watching the clock, he was wondering how to present this to his mother “Are you going to tell Dad?” he asked finally.

“What” she asked back.

“If I tell you, are you going to tell Dad” he repeated.

“Well,” she shut her lips fast thinking “How important is it too you that he doesn’t know?”

“I just. I know what he’ll say, and after everything that’s happened I just. I, just promise me you won’t tell him.” His swollen eyes stared back at his mother pleading for her sympathy and understanding.

“Alright, I promise” Jackie gave in slowly nodding, it would be hard to keep something like this from her husband, but she would have to.

“Almost more than a year ago I met this women, she was just a friend, helping me out with some things I was working on. She sings really well, and.”

“Brian” Jackie said irritated a little, she was already getting a hold of what her son was telling her, she might as well just say it.

“A week before the wedding, I, we, I was drunk because Leighanne and I got in that fight. I had no clue she was, you know,” he looked sheepishly at his mother “ovulating.”

“Oh for Pete’s sake” Jackie started to cry as she looked away “Brian how could you have even thought about sleeping with her.”

“Mom, just listen” he plead. “After she found out a few weeks later she told me that she would just keep the baby and that we would just not speak of it. At first she wanted an abortion, but I couldn’t do that, so I convinced her not too.”

“So she has the child” Jackie finished.

“No, she died in childbirth, she was supposed to put that the father was unknown, but for some reason she put my name down. So then I had to go and pick up the baby.

“Brian, I can’t lie to your father about this!” she stood up quickly pacing the room biting her nail in her teeth.

“Mom, please” Brian begged “I needed someone to tell about this.”

“Did Leighanne know?” Jackie asked folding her arms.

Brian looked at her distraught face and whispered “no.”

“Did Leighanne Know” She asked more forcefully.

“No, she didn’t know a thing about it.”

“Oh thank you God” Jackie’s eyes rolled to the ceiling as she tried to stop more tears.

“Mom, don’t tell Dad please.” He said again, she shot a glare towards him.

“I’m not going to tell him, you are. Goodnight” she walked over touching the metal railing again before she stormed out the room.

Brian sighed looking around the room, he was stuck here. None of the boys had come to see him yet, no one had but his parents, not even Leighanne’s parents. Nor any of his family “Where was everyone?” he asked himself as he sat alone in the pale room.

“Evening Mr. Littrell” a nurse walked in “I’m just here to give you some medication; it looks like you’ve had a rough first day here.”

“Yeah” Brian tried to swallow, it hurt.



…………..


“Sir, do you have an alibi?” Detective Campbell asked as he sat across from Harold in the small suit he and Jackie were staying in.

“My wife” Harold responded looking at the pictures of the crime scene “What makes you think I have anything to do with this?” he asked cringing at the grotesque images.

“Anyone else see you that night?” the officer asked.

“Detective, I understand you’re trying to do your job, but I was in Lexington, Kentucky at home asleep in my house, in my room, in my bed. I don’t think planes go fast enough to try and get me here to Alpharetta to be an accomplice in this crime.”

“You son, did he call you that night?” Detective Taylor asked.

“No” Harold answered “Again, I was asleep.”

“Did Leighanne call you much?” the other detective asked wryly.

“No, she would call Jackie, and I would talk with her some times.” Harold answered.

“Did she ever sound stressed or upset?” the detectives asked.

Harold turned his head to the window looking out as he chuckled to himself “Are you serious? My son had a knife stuck in his heart, and you two said you found it with his wife. Shouldn’t you be assuming that she’s the one that killed him?” he rolled his eyes irritated.

“That’s what we’re trying to find out, who is guilty.” The detective said calmly “Well thank you for you time, I’m sure we’ll be speaking with you again” Detective Campbell stood up showing his partner to the door.

……


“So wha’d’ya think” Detective Campbell asked as the shut the door.

“Well, I think either the Dad is really anxious about covering for his son, or the child or he doesn’t know?” Detective Taylor looked up before she walked to the elevator. As they reached it the door slid open and Jackie walked out holding her hand close to her head as she walked past them briskly towards the hotel room. She slipped in the card key and opened the large metal handle. She walked inside and shut the door behind her.

“We’ll have to presume he didn’t know” Detective Campbell pointed out, he hasn’t given is any reason to believe he does, at least to believe he is lying. “

The two detectives made their way to their car, before Detective Taylor responded.

“I think we should go back to square one, let’s go back to the scene” she suggested placidly.

Twenty minutes later Detective Campbell shut his door behind him and walked alongside his partner to the crest of the road. Yellow police tape surrounded the area steering curious onlookers away. Campbell picked his way down first mild slope to the tree only a few yards away, the incline of the terrain seemed miniscule until you saw the rocks that jutted out were merely to disguise. Campbell shined his flashlight around the base of the tree as he kneeled peering over the roots while Detective Taylor watched.

“I feel like this place is a graveyard, it has that eerie feeling” she mused in a sad voice “Neither of the people had any level of alcohol, and they still managed to run off the road.”

“I think there was a fight” Detective Campbell felt along the trunk of the tree shining his flashlight as he went “It’s too bad that this kid can’t even tell us his side of the story. I bet he gets a shrink to testify his incapable of testifying to whatever he does know?”

“We don’t know that until he see’s the women, and by how he was acting today, he looks a lot better than he did yesterday. He must’ve been a quick healer” Detective Taylor thought for a moment “Didn’t you say he was afraid of surgeries and stuff, and she threatened to leave him?”

“Yeah” The detective turned to his partner away from the tree trunk “So?”

“Maybe she was leaving him because he had that child. Lot’s of people act irrationally, especially if it’s someone cheating on another person. Brian could have stashed the kid at his parent’s house, because he didn’t want his wife finding out, but then he realized he wanted the first girl more so he murdered his wife, and staged his own near death fiasco.”

“He purposely fell out of that tree, and stabbed himself in the heart?”

“Near the heart. And, quinsidently without hitting anything that would kill himself.” The detective started counting off the information she had “He didn’t want her to leave him again, so he killed her. Then after she died, he realized what he had done, and he tried to kill himself.”

“Stupidly, that sound’s reasonable.” The detective mused looking back at the tree. “I think we’ll learn more from these “band-mates” than anyone else. Let’s get them to tell us something.”
Chapter Five by KaySweet
“Stand up slowly there” the nurse urged holding her hand in his and the other around the dressing that was wrapped around his waist “You ready to take a trip to the bathroom” she asked as he legs dangled over the edge of the bed. This was a milestone for Brian, and he was more than happy to take it, but now that he was up he wasn’t quite sure he wanted to move.

“Can’t we just move the whole bed over to the bathroom” he whined.

The nurse helped again as he struggled to take his first unsteady steps, he hadn’t realized how cramped his muscles had been from the weeks of lying in a hospital bed. He spent a large amount of his time watching television and or playing video games, so this would be a welcoming sight, to actually move about.

Since his neck was in a brace and his jaw was plated, the talking was somewhat difficult as well. His parent’s had resorted to evening visits so Brian was almost asleep by the time they would leave. Other times he read books, nothing too interesting, just some old heap of bounded papers that his Mom had brought him.

As he inched his way to the toilet and held his hand against the metal bar, he began to think “Less than two months ago I would’ve been laughing at the people who used a hand railing. Now look at me” he scoffed quietly to himself as he lifted up the front of his open-back gown “I didn’t think I would get so much pleasure out of pissing in the toilet either” he continued.

He pushed his way over to the sink and placed his hands under the faucet turning the handle then letting the cool water turn to warm. All the simple mundane pleasures were like joyous moments as more weeks went by. The first walk down the hall, with a walker to steady him, and then independently getting to and fro from the bed to the bathroom, it was all so mundane but yet to someone who had gone from death, or almost death, to having almost all your body part’s broken and then to miraculously recover to this stage. Brian was proud of the baby steps he was making.

As he etched his way down the corridor with his walker he saw his parent’s walk up. At the first glance of his father, Brian knew something was wrong. His Mom had said she wouldn’t tell, and if there was one person Brian could trust it was her.

As they reached him, Brian clearly understood that he had underestimated how furious his Dad was. His face was crimson red, and his eyes deep and angry with a narrowed brow that scorned back at Brian.

“I learn from Detective Taylor and Campbell that the child you left us with us, was not Leighanne’s. They thought I was the suspect, me” his words flew like a large bulldozer, lunging itself into Brian’s stomach.

“I can explain” Brian stuttered, his balance was wavering as well. Brian could feel the pressure and disappointment descending on him.

“And you tricked you Mother into lying to me about it” He voice rose.

“Harold, please he’s ill” Jackie begged, Harold glared at her.

“Dad if you’ll just let me explain”

“I don’t need you to explain. I spoke with Claire’s parents, and they shared the whole story. It’s wonderful I live in a pack of wolves who slink around and lie to my face. This is not a game Brian!”

“What isn’t?”

Brian had heard nothing about the investigation, as far as he knew all that had happened was he had mysteriously been found fallen from a tree with a large hole, stuffed with a blood-drenched shirt stuck inside of it. The doctors had only babbled on how amazing it was that he lived through the ordeal.

Harold turned to Jackie, his hands on his hips merely to keep them from balling up into a fist and slamming it into the hospital wall “He doesn’t know sweetheart” Jackie said softly she too was still disappointed, but it had been a few weeks since she found out.

Harold pulled his hand up to his mouth covering it, then moving it down to his chin to rub both the frustration and the anger that was controlling his temper. He sighed quickly throwing his hands up as he let his head fall forward.

…………..


“They found you about a yard away from the tree, with a wound in your chest, and too many broken bones to count. As they searched further down the gully they found Leighanne, she was dead. A psychologist has been trying to get an evaluation on you to see if you are competent to stand trial. The whole thing is a mess and the detectives, without your testimony, have been stabbing in the dark for any information on the case. They don’t know if you attacked Leighanne, or if it was the other way around.”

“I wouldn’t do anything like that” Brian said in his defense.

“You wouldn’t” His father questioned irritated.

“Harold” Jackie whispered distraughtly under her breath.
“Well I don’t know what to believe. I’ve been taking care of a child that has no mother, and who’s father lied to me.”

“I told you I’m sorry”

“You sorry about killing Leighanne too” Harold growled as they sat in the small room.

Jackie opened her mouth chastise him again, but his glare silenced her.

“I was the one with the knife wound in my chest. I didn’t do anything to her. I don’t remember what happened, but I would’ve killed myself if I had done anything to hurt Leighanne.”

Harold drew his head to the side annoyed and Jackie rested her hand over his. They were entwined so tight on the table Brian could see the white in his knuckles. He looked up as his dad sighed again, which happened to occur most every time Brian tried to get a word in.

“You don’t believe me” Brian said watching his mom wedge her hand in-between his dads, most likely to stop him from twisting the blood out of circulation.

“We want to believe you” his mom smiled “But the juries going to want more than just a thought of you being innocent.”

“What if we were in a fight at we just slid off the road, and into the tree, and then we both fell out. Then wouldn’t they just rule it as an accident?” he was trying to keep control of his words, to try and be reasonable.

“Brian” Harold blew out air slowly staring at the table for a moment before he looked up “Why did you leave your child, a newborn. In our care, and lie to us about it.”

It was so simple, Brian thought, because I was married, and I didn’t want to ruin what I had “I, I wanted to tell Leighanne, but since she was in production –“

“Bullshit” Harold stood up pushing his chair back “Don’t try and pull that with me” Harold pointed his finger in Brian’s face fiercely; Jackie rested her hand on his arm pushing it lightly down.

“I was married, but I knew that Leighanne would leave if I told her. I just was going to have him stay till I got back from production in Sweden. I told you that part, and Leighanne was working on her show doing her last minute things with it. I was going to put her up for adoption.” Brian said in a rush.

“And to think, I was badgered about hiding this from the cops, from detectives. I was defending you.” Harold walked to the edge of the room Jackie watched him then looked down covering her eyes for a moment with her head, as if she had a headache.

“So, that’s why there was no announcement about the baby. Because Leighanne and I didn’t have a child together” Brian finished watching his mom lay her hand flat on the table and sweep it of like she was whipping crumbs from the kitchen table at home.

Harold shook his head, looking sideways at the large window in the room, then turned for the door mumbling that he was going to take a breather.

“I knew he would be mad.” Brian sulked.

“Well Brian, what did you expect?” Jackie looked up, Brian saw the red flush through her face, and he hadn’t realized that she might be as upset as his dad, or maybe she was upset because he had made her keep it from his dad

“I was trying to own up to my actions” Brian whined defensively “I’m sorry, alright.” He watched his mother’s face fall. When she looked up she was crying. She wrapped her arms around herself.

“And he was so mad at me, for not telling him. Brian do you know what that does” she said in frustration “Do you know how hard that is?”

“Yeah” Brian bent his head, every time he was close to Leighanne he thought about keeping his secret. “I was doing that to Leighanne ever since we were married.”

Jackie leaned over and picked up his hands in hers, tears still spilling down her face “Brian, we are behind you. No matter what happens we are behind you, but make no mistake that this has had a ripple effect far larger than you could imagine” she stood up gracefully and walked over kissing her sons head before she walked out.
Chapter Six by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
Yay, another update. Finally
“I don’t believe a word of it” Leighanne’s mom said her coffee cup clinking on the small saucer as she put her drink down. Harold looked at Jackie silently saying ‘I told you so’ with his eyes “You’re son, killed my daughter.

“Let’s not be drastic here” Harold leaned forward, the last he wanted at the meeting with the detectives the next day was another accusation to untwist.

“Drastic?” Leighanne’s mother asked “Drastic. Mr. Littrell, my daughter is dead” she roared.

“And we share our sympathy with you, we felt the loss as well, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t handle this like mature, civilized people.”

“You’re son should’ve been civilized enough to not run off the road. I heard he had a high alcohol content” Leighanne’s mother growled snootily.

Harold was about to blow a cannonball of slang swearwords at her but Jackie pressed him back speaking for them both, in a much more ‘civilized’ tone “Shirley, we loved Leighanne, and the lord knows Brian did, we don’t have the facts about this case, and we won’t until the case starts.”

“Maybe it’s best if we don’t speak till then, then” Shirley retorted mildly before she stood up and walked out of the room. Harold rubbed his face letting his head rest on the back of the couch.

“And to think, this baby might as well have caused the whole ordeal” he sighed. Jackie stood up picking up the coffee cup that Shirley had left.

“Please, can we focus on something else, just for a moment” Jackie asked taking the dish back to the sink.

“Sure, like where your son is. The long lost boy that hasn’t shown his face since the accident happened.”

“He was upset remember, because Brian didn’t recognize him. He’s like you, except for worse, when he gets mad he stays away for a long time.” Jackie came back to sit down by her husband.

“I do that, so I can cool off” Harold criticized, lifting his arm over the back of the couch.

“Harold” Jackie scooted in closer waiting for him to look at her “Brian needs all the support we can give him right now. Can you at least act like you think he’s innocent? We don’t know all of it, remember.”

The light from the window was shining in his eyes, giving him an incentive to lift his head and look at his wife “That’s the problem, he’s been hiding all of this behind our backs, I don’t know what to believe or not to believe.”

“Believe him. That’s all we can do right now, is believe him” she pulled his hand up to her cheek leaning her face in to kiss his palm “remember when he was so young, when he slipped on the gravel and we had to take him to the emergency room, and we thought we were going to loose him, but we prayed. We prayed and prayed for a miracle. For our fears to be wrong” she spoke softly “then this time, when we prayed again and again for another miracle.” Harold stared at her bewildered but concerned “All we can do now is pray. Pray that this will turn out right, that in the end he’ll make it through, we have to have faith in him, remember?” she tried to smile tears filling her eyes again, Harold watched in silence sighing “Don’t give up now” she whispered her words cut off as she kissed his palm again.


…………..


“Mom, Dad?” Brian tried to smile; it was Leighanne’s mother and step-father that walked into the room. It was early morning and Brian had just finished his breakfast, he put the fork down on the tray.

The expressions on his in-law’s faces’ were almost priceless. They took the cake on appearing like they had a huge pole up their rear ends “Brian” Shirley said between her clenched teeth, as she attempted a smile.

“I thought that you were, would be with – where are my parents?” he asked watching Shirley come closer.

“You killed my baby” she screamed almost ready to pounce on Brian, he could feel her hawk-like fingers wrap around his neck.

“Mother” he squeezed out, she was suffocating him “Shirley” he tried to scream, but nothing came out, he searched around frantically for the emergency button on the right of the bed, he found the small button, and pressed it down multiple times.

“You should’ve been the won that died that night” She screamed, her voice hitting a high pitch. Brian felt his grip on the bars slacken, he could see he was loosing consciousness, he was dying again. It was scary.

“Please stop” he cried in a pathetic whimper that barley made it past his lips.

“Ma’am. Get off of him.” A click of a gun sounded as Shirley stopped hissing. A male guard apprehended the enraged women, and she released her grip on Brian’s neck. He couldn’t see anything though now, everything was a blur, an insane obscure mess of light and dark blur.

The guards took her out the door and sent her to another room to sedate her “Hold her tight Billy” another guard hollered from behind him.

………..

(2Months, 3Days previous)

Detective Taylor slipped off her plastic gloves and walked back into the main hall of the large living room.

“Look’s like the woofy was a little too urgent not to get pregnant” she sighed sarcastically looking at her partner. Detective Campbell was prowling through Brian’s office.

“Well, he’s got nothing in here but music, and lyrics, and papers with scribbles on it, and some crazy fan mail that’s stuffed in the trash can – What’d you say? Woofy?” he looked up.

“That’s right, the wife, she was wearing condoms. Now please, tell me, what women wear’s condoms when she’s married I mean honestly” Detective Campbell stared back perplexed “She’s got that and extra protection, birth control pills.”

“She wasn’t joking about not wanting to screw up her career. If I were her husband I would leave too.” He chuckled.

“So you think he left, because he was being turned away.” Detective Taylor asked seriously.

“Well most women don’t go, well infact no women, would make her man wear that if they were married. She must’ve been getting around.”

“Should we share this with the parents?” she asked bagging the evidence.

“I hate to say it, but no. I think we should do a little bartering. The dad’s holdin’ out on us “Hey Pete, what you got on that laptop?”

“Nothing, this guy’s a clean freak, he visit’s eBay and Amazon, and does some clothes shopping once in a while, other than that it’s pure, music, and gospel duets to the sky.”

“He’s got to have something, why don’t you check his e-mail records, and her’s she’s dead right, so her’s would be legal.

“I’ll do what I can.” Pete smiled tapping the keys on the keyboard.

The rest of the crew scanned every nook and cranny bagging insurance files, and whatever data that deemed valuable enough.

“Got somethin’ here” Pete announced motioning for the two detectives to join him. “Claire, Danyelle is safe with my parent’s for the time being. I know thing’s are hard but I will be there soon…” he paused moving his finger down the page “love you for ever, Brian.”

Pete looked up, his brows raised as he looked at the detectives “He was having an affair, and she pinned him on it, she found out and so she pop’s him.” Detective Taylor set out her theory.

“Or, he pop’s her so he can be with his lover.”

“No, no, she had those condoms and everything in a stash inside some brown nylons. She meant business, she’s been shackin’ up the men when he’s been gone, and he’s been with Claire to fulfill his needs, and to take the role he’s always wanted. To emulate his father, to be one, to be important”

“One what” Detective Taylor asked.

“A father, that’s why he risked all of it, for the chance to be a dad. He has this predisposed need to have someone to care for. Leighanne, he found out didn’t fit the bill, but this Claire girl, her letters are a distress call –“

“He’s right” Pete murmured “she says ‘When will you come, I am so scared, so alone without you. I need you. I need our baby. I love you, I can’t live without you.”

“He was married to the wrong sole mate.” Detective Campbell finished.

“Oh please. You expect anyone to believe that?” Detective Taylor muttered.


……….

A.J. heard a large tapping of fist’s wrap on his door just as he finished filling his coffee maker with beans, without a thought to who it was he martched to the door and opened it.

“Alexander James Mclean?” A detective flipped his badge open.

“Yeah, that’s me” he said confused.

“We need to speak with you” the detective continued. Detective Taylor and the Detective Campbell walked into the room watching A.J. shut the door behind them.

“You had the other people already come and talk to me. I don’t get what you want with me now. I gave you all I knew.”

“Does this woman look familiar to you?” Detective Taylor pulled a picture from her coat. A.J. nodded he sat down on his large sofa waiting to for more questions.

“Anything you can tell us about her” Detective Campbell asked seating himself.

“She and Brian were, lovers, more like married, they had a child. It was before he and Leighanne were married that they got pregnant. Brian didn’t know how to explain it to his parents. I mean – you know - you don’t go telling your parent’s that you just cheated on your fiancé a zillion times about a month before you’re getting married and you have a grandchild you want them to accept within the next eight months, while you are supposed to be, well, if you were, doing it with the one you were getting married to.”

“So he kept her secret, and you all kept her secret” Detective Campbell answered.

“To tell you the truth; this was mostly Kevin, but none of us really liked Leighanne, well I did, but that was cause I thought she was hot. But how she treated Brian when they were alone; screamin’ at him, and then spending all his money, then cheating’ on him, and then crying to her in-laws, because she’s not with him, when she never wanted to be with him. She would complain because a guard a hotel wouldn’t walk her dogs, because she thought she was so famous she could trounce on everyone. We all saw the way she treated him. Could you blame him for wanting the women he really wanted?”

“So why not a divorce” Detective Taylor asked.

“Well because, Brian was so used to being manipulated by Leighanne, and she had his parent’s wrapped around her finger. His mom would fly Leighanne to Lexington so that they could have a ladies day, while Brian was gone. I mean, I know Jackie just was so happy to have a daughter in-law, but Leighanne soaked it up for all it was worth, playing sweet with the parents, then going out with guys left and right. It was like she couldn’t handle being in control of just one man, she wanted all of them.”

“You think she was capable of trying to kill Brian?”

“Without a doubt” A.J. said seriously.
Chapter Seven by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
Yay, another chapter, Enjoy.
“Baker? HAROLD, Harold I know you’re in there” a pounding came fitfully to the door waking Harold from his sleep. Fumbling like a blind man in a strange ally the brown haired young man felt his way to the door. As he opened the slab of metal and wood that made up the access to his room the light from the hallway sprang in like an uninvited guest. His eyes blinked as they attempted to capture their surroundings. His mother, arguably shorter than himself stood facing him tapping her feet, behind her, his father leaning awkwardly against the opposite side of the hotel’s hall.

“What do you both want?” He asked, his voice horse as his words left his lips.

“Did you know about Claire?” Jackie asked, the mascara on her eyelashes seemed to intensify as her eyes barreled down at him.

Baker shrugged his sleepy shoulders, wiping away the sleepiness from his eyes “Sure, I knew about Claire, after she was pregnant I never heard from her” he pawed at his face again as his eyes started to droop.

“No, Baker, we need information. Is she alive, dead, what?” Jackie demanded. Baker, in amusement, look passed her at his dad who had his hands stuffed in his pockets and a long tired look across his face – he was usually the one wanting information, this trial must’ve done him in, stood up erect in the doorway yawning before he spoke.

“She’s dead. She died in childbirth” he moaned yawning again.

“And the story about Leighanne being pregnant – It was a crock” Jackie blurted.

“Well, it would seem that way” Baker said sleepily.

“Don’t” she forced her finger in his face “play smart with me – Leighanne was never pregnant?”

“No” Baker answered annoyed “But if you were so happy why didn’t you ever talk to Leighanne’s parents about it; they would’ve told you a long time ago.”

Harold stood up and cleared his throat “We don’t exactly get along with Leighanne’s parents, we never have”

“Well, gosh I would’ve never thought” Baker said sarcastically “So, you could’ve found out about this whole thing a long time ago, but yah didn’t – so there yah go.”

“Why haven’t you been to see your brother, since the first night?” Jackie asked, her arms were folded over one another now, she was clearly annoyed.

“Because, he asked me not too” Baker answered “Now can I please go to bed? It’s got to be at least four in the morning” he started to shut the door.

Jackie smiled easing up her tone a little “Course you can honey, but if you’ve lied to us, or to the police, I don’t think you’ll like the outcome.”

“Honestly mother, why would I lie” He watched as his dad raised his eyebrows in distain “Don’t answer that. Night” he said fitfully shutting the door in his parents’ faces.

…………

“Mr. Littrell” Harold looked up from his car watching two men come before him, both showing their badges so they gleamed in the Kentucky sunlight “Detective Carlson, and Detective Wattney” They introduced themselves handing him a blue folded piece of paper “We have a warrant to search your house.”

“My house?” Harold asked bewildered “What do you want with the house?” he asked leading them to the door.

“A Mrs. Tolbert said that you were threatening her” Harold rolled up the top of his paper bag stuffing it under his arm so he could look at the warrant. Although he didn’t, after scanning the document he wanted to role his eyes. It was ridiculous but in the case that was at hand, it seemed plausible to the officers investigating. He led them into the house.

……….


Jackie rushed off the plane as fast as her feet would carry her, she had just arrived back in Atlanta and would have to catch the shuttle to the long-term parking lot, and it was good to see that Brian was doing well. He was due to be released shortly, and the detectives where were still baffled by the case could not arrest him - at least just yet.

“He’s been waiting for you all morning” the nurse said smiling as Jackie walked in. She had seen the women may times, but still couldn’t quite grasp her name.

“Thank you” she smiled walking up to the hospital room. A kaleidoscope of feelings rushed through her, after leaving Harold the night before she was anxious, and had no one to vent her fears to. The child was put into protective services soon after everything was found out. Claire’s parent’s, who had mysteriously come to life wanted the child, and the Littrell’s were not to willing to hand her over, since the police department was up in arms over the whole case, the decided for the time being to place the child in foster care which made everything more aggravating.


Finally Jackie had reached the floor “take a deep breath” she told herself before she walked in. “Ok” she said a little more confident “Brian honey you ready to go” she asked casually as she stepped into the room.

There he sat, his entire back exposed as he huddled facing the wall under the mobile hospital tray, Jackie walked towards him bending down to see what was wrong.

His eyes moved to the corner looking at her, blood and saliva lining his lips and trickling down his chin, his hands felt like string as they lay lifeless in front of him, in the pool of mixed vomit and blood. The putrid smell was pungent to the nose and Jackie gagged at its intensity.

“I can’t feel it” he said softly more blood trickling down the side of his mouth “I’m dying” his eyes were encircled in film, the small vessels reaching for his pupils as he searched about the space.

Jackie was in a trance, as she felt helpless “Brian” she choked searching for the side of the bed, she found the small red “emergency” button. Her fingers shaking, she pressed it hard. “Brian?”

Brian looked ahead, as everything went black, it was too dark to see and the headlights were fowling up to much to make him want to go faster. Leighanne was spitting insults at him.

“You dirty little creep” she hissed staring at him.

“Why the disappointed look” he said back “You’ve been inviting men over to the house since before we’ve been married.”

“Lies!” she yelled “Your nothing but a fricking liar!” She howled, Brian watched the road ahead of him everything was dim.

“What are you talking about? I found those condoms and pills in with your underwear” he answered hissing “You got in good with my Parents so they’d never believe what I’d say.”


“Brian.” The familiar voice of doctor Preston spoke as he stood over Brian’s lifeless body. Brian opened his eyes slowly.

“I’m not dead?” he asked trying to smile; it was what he was all about making other’s laugh. The doctor looked back seriously.

“No, it’ a good thing too” he said stepping back a little, Jackie came forward. Patting his hand.

“I want to go home” he grumbled, the stupid nausea was going to keep him in the hospital again.

“In a couple of hours” Dr. Preston smiled walking out, “We need to monitor you to make sure you’re alright.”

“I feel fine” Brian lied; he would do anything to get out of this four-walled prison cell.

“You just asked me if you were going to die” Dr. Preston said suppressing a smile “Doctor Alexander will be in to see if you’re ready later.”

Brian watched as his mother walked up timidly “You’re dad just called, apparently our house is being searched. It look’s like Shirley thought your dad was threatening her.” She tried to touch around the subject.

“Finally” Brian moaned “Did he give her an earful” he asked wanting to hear more, he watched as he saw his mother’s expression change from timid to utter perplexity.

“I thought you loved her, and Leighanne?” she said a little less shocked.

“I did at first, but then I met Claire and everything changed. I realized how depressed I was with Leighanne, and I wanted to be happy, but everything was set up. And I knew how you and Dad would react. I just thought I would let it go year, then get divorce, but then I knew all the press would ruin it, and ruin my image, so I wanted to stick through.”

Jackie listened for a moment, wondering what Harold would say if he were there, she knew his exact words ‘you ruined your own image by fooling around’. She sighed ‘So you decided living a double love life was the way to go”

“Sure, Leighanne was doing it anyway, once she was onset with that one guy, the one bad dude, whatever his name was. The one that was supposed to be her fiancé in the movie she was in. I saw them, even before I was home; I saw them through the window. I had a feeling that something was happening, but then I knew, but by then it was too late. So I decided, heck why not find someone that will really love me for me. So it was more of a public relationship thing I guess.”

“It doesn’t make what happened right” Jackie said looking her son in the eyes.

“That’s what I told Leighanne a thousand times, but she continued to suck off of me and my money, she played us all for fools.” He said, a sudden weariness overtaking him.
Chapter Eight by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
Woohoo, finally another update. I had a moment inbetween a major paper to update! Tell me your thoughts!
“Find anything?” Harold asked half sarcastically watching the detectives plundering through his office. Detective Wattney shook his head in reply.

“I’m sure you understand why we had to do it” Detective Carlson folded his briefcase motioning for the investigators to leave.

Harold walked around the side of his desk looking at the detective, who was easily only a few years older than his son “No, I’m not quite sure, how a paranoid women’s hearsay testimony passes as a warrant to search my house.”

Detective Wattney walked up to Harold looking him in the eye “I’d watch your step if I were you.”

“I could have you arrested, for trespassing without probable cause” Harold retorted angrily. He had had no sleep since the start of the case, and it was starting to catch up with him.

“Cool it Mr. Littrell” the other detective warned. Harold muttered under his breath then asked them to leave.

“Come again” Detective Wattney asked.

“Don’t you have better things to do than harass me, and my family.” Harold shot back, the rope had split.

“Not what’s got you all tied up in a knot” Detective Carlson asked with a hint of sympathy.

Harold, who had spread his fingers out across the desk, dragged his hand to the edge where his seat was and sat down rubbing his face “I’ve had paparazzi stalking me, my wife, Leighanne’s family, They want pictures of Brian, they want the gossip, they want anything their like bloodhounds.” Harold looked up.

“We’ve been handling things best we can. They have people sneaking’ in there trying to get information all the time, we can only weed out so many” Detective Wattney said easing up his voice.

“This whole Claire thing, people are going to get a hold of it.”

“Claire thing” Detective Carlson asked a little surprised. Detective Wattney gave him the condensed version of the story and Harold watched rubbing his forehead.

“Look Harold” Detective Wattney said plainly “This is the last thing anyone want’s happening. And to have the public getting their hand’s in everything is frustrating, but right now we need to focus on this trial. You’re son’ll be in with his attorney Monday morning to give his part of the story, and then trial starts on Thursday. If all our hopes are right, it was a pure accident” Harold looked down rubbing his head as he shook it “If need’s be, the psychologist will evaluate him, and we can postpone the arraignment.”

“I thought you were detectives, why are you defending my son” Harold asked inquisitively.

“No one’s going to believe he’s mentally insane.”

“It’s always surprising the reports shrinks come up with” Detective Wattney answered before standing up.

……..

“Can we go home yet” Brian asked, his eyes had opened again. His mother was standing by the window looking out across the buildings surrounding the hospital; the large tree’s lining the street’s made for a pretty vista.

“Doctor Anderson’s going to be here in a few minutes, they’re going to run you through some quick tests, and then we’ll see.” She smiled, here eyes fixed out the window, the sun made her face glow almost white.

“Why does this keep happening to me” he asked.

“It’s happened before?”

…..

“Excuse me! Excuse ME! Excuse ME!” Jackie ran through the halls frantically trying to find the front desk, her hands shaking as she approached the counter “There’s something wrong, this hasn’t happen the first time, there’s something wrong. He’s, it’s happened before!”

“Calm down” the nurse urged, she was merely a secretary unaware of who this women was or Brian’s situation. Jackie clutched the women’s arm in desperation.

“I need doctor Preston. Please, NOW” she said, the secretary picked up the phone.

“Molly can you help this women?” she asked phoning security.

“You don’t understand” Jackie turned around the small room, searching for a listening ear “It’s happened before!”

“Calm down ma’am” a male nurse walked over towards her, another came from the opposite end of the room, injecting a sedative.

……

Detective Taylor sat in her car, wiping the mascara from her face, no one could tell, but she had been crying all morning.

“Hey C.C” Detective Campbell wrapped his knuckles across the window; screeches from the cars around them in the underground parking lot could be heard over the noise of his voice. Detective Taylor looked up sideways smiling a little rolling down her window.

“Yeah” she sniffled, stuffing a picture in her purse.

“Something wrong” He asked.

“No, of course not” she smiled “Just tired, and um, you know” She tried to smile.

Detective Campbell smiled back “Well, Detectives’ Wattney and Carlson say that it’s true, that girl died in childbirth, poor thing.”

“Yeah” Detective Taylor smiled weakly “All the things we hide” she said softly.

“Yeah” Detective Campbell eyed her “You sure you’re ok?” he asked “Maybe you shouldn’t have come back so soon, you look a little sick.”

“I’m fine” she smiled whipping under her eyes again “Is he here for questioning.”

“See, that’s the problem, he’s still in the hospital. I think they’re making’ stuff up to get him off the case”

“I doubt it” she said opening the door and getting out, straightening her hair, pulling it up in a pony tail before she sniffled one last time “Let’s go.”


……..

“Claire was our only baby, she was the brightest child” The man sat across from the detective’s.

Detective Wattney watched the man as he spoke “I’m sure she was. Did she ever mention anything about being pregnant?”

The mother shook her head “Gosh no. Claire would never do that, she’s not like that. She, well we hadn’t exactly seen here, she had taken a vacation for the summer, to some Caribbean island to see some boy band she knew. Glenn and I didn’t really see anything wrong with it, it was fun we thought. We had no clue she would be off in some small island with that boy, giving birth to a baby, and die during childbirth.”

“On an island” Detective Wattney asked, his eyebrows rose. “This story just get’s better and better.”

“The stupid kid thought he could deliver a baby.” Glenn sighed sadly.

“Millions of babies are born in Africa, in dung huts; it happens all over the world, mothers just don’t drop dead like flies because of it.” Detective Wattney articulated “Did you ever have trouble during you’re pregnancy with your daughter?”

“No, but I had an epidural, and plenty more pain medicine, and a hospital staff. I don’t think he meant to kill her, I just don’t understand why he wouldn’t take her to a hospital.”

“You never knew anything about the pregnancy?”

“She was sick, but it was the flue season, it’s going around”

“Have you ever met the Littrell’s Sue?”

Sue suddenly smiled “Oh, my yes. They are such wonderful people, it’s such a shame the apple fell so far from the tree.”

Detective Wattney looked amused for a moment resting his chin in the palm of his hand “Why do you think he’s a bad apple?”

“He was married” Sue said shocked “Geeze, doesn’t anybody have morals these days. Those people were so gracious, the best Kentucky could offer, and that boy – as soon as he got into the spotlight just stole my daughter away, took away her virginity, and any hope for a good standing.”

“How old is your daughter Mrs. Aki” the detective asked repositioning his chin.

“She’s twenty-seven, but she’s always wanted to keep herself chaste till the day she was married”

“May we see a picture of her?” Detective Campbell asked.

Sue smiled, obviously proud, as she handed over a picture “She was quite a looker. Prom queen, and Cheerleader, who knew she would be such a wonderful young women.”

Detective Wattney looked at the picture his eyes widening.
Chapter Nine by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
A double dose of Murmure for you! :) I'd love to hear your thoughts, questions and everything :D
“Hello, you’ve reached the Littrell’s we are not home right now, but if you’d like to leave us with your name and number and a short message, we’ll call you back. If you are looking for Harold try his cell – beep“The tapped message was all Dr Anderson had heard that night, after at least ten attempts to get a hold of Mr. Littrell.

Here goes another message, the doctor thought “Mr. Littrell, this is Doctor Anderson; I’ve been taking care of your son. I was wondering if you could give me a – “

“Hello?” the other line had come through, Harold had picked up.

“Mr. Littrell” the doctor said almost astounded “I’ve been trying to get a hold of you all evening.”

Harold pulled the blinds up a bit on his front door, Paparazzi were everywhere “I took a sleeping pill earlier today, on the detective’s recommendation, I’ve been out cold since then.”

“That would explain the missed calls” the doctor quipped wryly. “You’re wife put up quite a show over here.”

A flash from Cannon Camera’s blared through the window distorting the evening sun that came through. “Damn camera’s” Harold muttered to himself walking over to the couch in the front room. He had already had them taken for trespassing, but they were a safe distance away, which was no problem for their professional zoom cameras. “What happened” he asked disregarding the destruction the tripods and high-healed reporters were doing to the front lawn.

“I think she was just stressed out, she started talking nonsense, like you’re son was dying and she was really scared, she’s ok now, but I’m afraid that she’s loosing her grip fast.” The doctor said “Also you’re son is being released today, is there anyway you could be back here by tonight.”

“Um, I’ll have to check the airlines. I’ll do the best I can.” He said.

“Good, see you then.” The doctor hung up quickly leaving Harold stranded on the line.

…….

“I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconut’s deadly dee dee, there they are a standing in a row, bumb bumb bumb.” Zazzoo sang across the television. Claire, who was only six months, could care less for the entertainment. She drooled and whined for face’ she knew.

…….

“Detectives’” Harold asked as he walked into the hospital “What are you doing here?”

“Just wanted to come see what we could do to help” Wattney replied.

“You can get the baby back in our care” Harold sighed watching the detectives look back “That would be something – Where’s detective Taylor?”

“She wasn’t feeling to well” Detective Campbell noted as they all walked towards the hospital room.

Brian stood up and walked towards his dad, he had never been so happy to see anyone in his life; Harold could never more strongly felt different. After he had hung up with the doctor the night before, the Aki’s had made a disturbing call about Brian and Claire

“We thought you should know, we don’t blame you for what you’re son did.” Mrs. Aki explained.

“That’s comforting” Harold thought in his head. “So what can I help you with?”

“We want you to keep the baby, at least until the trial is over, she’s so unhappy in that foster home, and she needs her grandparents, and since you and Jackie have been so wonderful with her the past few months, it’s only fitting that you take care of her.”

Harold rolled his eyes, but had to admit he was relieved.

Harold hugged his son, and looked over as Jackie awoke slowly.

“Man, am I glad to see you?” Brian smiled. Harold smiled a little pulling back.

“The detectives have your attorney at their office right now, we need to get over their quick.” He said walking over to his wife helping her up.

Less than fifteen minutes later, Brian sat in a small questioning room, his attorney by his side, and Detective’s Wattney and Carlson sitting at the opposite ends of the table. It was a pretty nice department for Cherokee County, set in a busy section of town.

“Where you with Miss Aki on the night that she had the child” the detectives asked, Brian raised his eyes, they were starting from here?

“Yes” he answered his attorney was about to press his arm, urging him not to answer, something in Brian told him, he would have to let everything out in order to get to the bottom of this mess.

“So you admit to having an affair with her?” the detective asked.

“Yes, but with what was happening at home. I wanted a divorce from Leighanne, it just wasn’t going to happen anytime soon though.”

“Why would that be?”

“Because she had everyone wrapped around her fingers. I loved Leighanne, once, but then once we got into money, with the boys – she changed.” He said sadly “I found Claire, he loved me for, and she could’ve cared less for my money.”

“Ok, now let’s talk about the night of the accident, what can you tell us about that?” the detective’s asked.

Brian squinted looking to the side, trying to remember the night, anything would do at this point. He remembered he was mad about the lights going dim.

“The lights were dim, the headlights, Leighanne was supposed to get them fixed before I cam back, but she never did. We were yelling, because she had found out about the baby. She had just talked to my Mom that morning.”

“Can you run through what you both were arguing about/”

The words came back so vividly Brian was ready to quote it by heart:


I know what’s going on Brian
It doesn’t make a difference; we’re getting a divorce anyway. I just want to get through this night. OK.
Go faster; we’re going to be out in this stupid forest forever.
I’m not going to go faster, the lights keep flickering off. I don’t want to get in an accident.
Oh great, look now we have some stupid person following us and their honking because you’re gong so slow, go faster!
I told you NO. I don’t want to, the roads are to slick
The rain stopped a half an hour ago.
Leighanne Stop!!!!

Brian lifted his head as he lay prone on the on the floor, his chair was to the side and the detectives were all around him.

“Get the doctor” Detective Campbell ordered holding Brian’s head up.


“It’s not his heart right” Jackie asked before doctor Preston left the glass room.

“No, we checked that as soon as he came in after the wreck, it must still be the trauma from the knife wound. Sometimes event’s like this, called post-trauma bring about strange reactions, some goes as far as throwing up and becoming nauseated, some start into spasm attacks, others have more mild symptoms.” He said wrangling out all the facts “He’ll be alright” he assured her before leaving for the other room.



……..

“All arise, Honorable judge Benton….” The officer announced bringing the document forward; the judge sat in his seat then picked up the paper pulling his reading glasses on.

“You may be seated” he motioned. Chairs across the small room were pushed back as people began to sit down.

Brian was nervous; he had been in court cases before, but only to argue against the band’s former manager, never to fend for his life. If could only remember what happened that night. It would make it so much easier. His lawyer advised him however not to take the stand, it would prove the prosecutors case, that Brian would be doing nothing but begging for mercy, and it wouldn’t pass a jury.

The Prosecution brought out their opening arguments; a tall blond woman with short hair stood up and walked past her desk opening the case.

“We are here today to give justice to one poor women’s death, who was this women? Her name was Leighanne, Renee Wallace Littrell, the wife of the defendant Brian Littrell. On the night of September twenty-fifth at approximately ten-forty-five, this poor women was flung from her car, thrown into a ravine and left for dead…..”

Brian was nervous, neither his body nor his mind could contradict what the prosecution was alleging. He wanted desperately to understand what happened that night. If Leighanne hadn’t been annoying him that night, maybe none of this would’ve happened. But if he hadn’t had the affair, it was all too much of a mess now.

“….My Client’s family deserves and explanation, as well as, at least compensation for the pain and damage that Mr. Littrell has caused.” Finally, the women was off her high horse as she walked, snootily, back to her desk and sat down behind her chair.

….

“We’ve got nothing” Brian’s attorney shot across the room, his arms braced along his hips as he paced the length of the hall. “Brian, you said someone was following you that night, who was it?”

Bran shook his head, he hated when they pulled for evidence like this, he wanted to know just as much as they did, but it wasn’t going to come on his terms, nor theirs, it was patience. He had learned his body was handing him information, trying to piece it together himself, and it was doing it at a slow pace. “I don’t know, the lights were dim, I just remember red is all, just flashes, and Leighanne yelling.”

Detective Wattney walked up pulling a chair to the table to sit in it backwards “A female a male?” he asked shooting out questions “Tall short, stocky, gangly, big car, small car?” he shot out questions

Brian shook his head in frustration “I don’t know, the car, it was too tall.”

“The one the person was driving?” Wattney asked drilling Brian.

“No, yes” he shook his head, his nerves were snapping again, pain was boiling in his brain “I don’t remember.”

“Great” Detective Wattney leaned back looking up. Harold and Jackie stood in the shadow of the room, waiting silently for more information. “Did you have a housekeeper?”

Brian shook his head “No, Leighanne has an assistant, God knows why we need a stupid girl fallowing us around.”

Detective Campbell raised a brow, The car, something was hitched to the back of the car, when the investigators searched it that afternoon, the other car behind them must’ve been to close.”


Pull over Brian!
I can’t right here, I can barely see!
Pull the stupid car over damnit!
The lights are too dim –


Brian swallowed hard gulping back air is desperation, he was still their, still coherent, in the room, but he had heard the voices, he looked up at the detectives as a flash of blue went in front of his eyes “She stabbed me?” he murmured shocked

Brian’s attorney stood up throwing up his hands “We need more time come on doc give us a couple more weeks”

“I can’t do anything for you. Brian’s cleared the medical exanimation and the psychic evaluation.”

“I can’t defend a client who doesn’t know what happened. No one knew what happened. We don’t know who’s car was there, who was even on the scene first.”

“I was” Detective Campbell walked up “Besides the EMT, I was, then, then….” He searched the room, shaking his head “I can’t believe it” he sighed “I, it.”
Chapter Ten by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
I couldn't leave you hanging.... Here's the next chapter, tell me your thoughts.
The Night of the accident
Chomping on his Carl’s Jr. Hamburger was about the best thing detective Campbell could think of to do at eleven at night, he wasn’t tired, but since his partner was taken a leave, he really wasn’t motivated to go tracking around the house. So instead he was sitting in an empty parking lot enjoying his lettuce, tomato, cheese, and quarter pound burger with two sesame-seed buns keeping it all together.

But as he sat in his nicely furnished ’78 Chevy he noticed a car pass by, the head lights were dim, like they were about to go off, with little interest he watched the oncoming traffic as the one light completely turned off. He tapped the inside roof of his car calling a ‘per-diddle’ although it would do nothing, because he was in the middle of a relationship, but it was a force of habit and so he sat and watched as the car disappeared down the road.

Less than twenty minutes later, just after he finished off the second sandwich and his fries while listening to some good old Queen singing Seaside Rendezvous on repeat, he received a buzz from Detective Taylor she gave him directions to a accident scene, but when he got there he was shocked beyond belief.

“C.C. You there?” he called as he stepped out of his car. Detective Taylor’s was pulled of the side of the road, her hazard lights were on giving passing driver’s a warning. It wasn’t until he reached the front of the detective’s car that he could see the remains of the guard’s. The road through this part of the ‘wood’ was winding, and they happened to be going on a turn/ Detective Campbell stepped carefully to the edge of the road and looked down, in the scant moonlight he could see the silhouette of a trapped vehicle, he could see how it had driven straight into the tree, the branches cracked under it’s wait.

Stumbling down the muddy slope Detective Campbell called for his partner’s name “Detective Taylor!? C.C.!? Anyone hurt?” he hollered. He knew he needed backup and probably an ambulance, but if his partner were here she was sure to have called them. “Claire” He called suddenly searching through the abyss.

“I’m down here” Detective Taylor answered, her voice was afar off, but he followed it best he could. As he came closer to her voice he saw a flashlight, it was pointing down at the victim “She’s dead” his partner sniffled turning her head away, "she must've fell from the car, she has a gash from where she hit the tree root and continued falling. “She explained exasperated.

“Anyone else?” he asked looking around, there was mud and exposed roots’ everywhere.

As he uttered his words a groan came from the opposite end of the trunk where the detective had mindlessly passed. Claire prodded back up the ravine where the tree was, she felt the body, feeling around.

“Oh, dear God” she murmured. She felt just above the victim’s breast, where his heart was swooshing. Blood, rich, thick warm blood oozed past his shirt, she ripped a piece of her shirt stuffing it inside the wound, a feeble attempt to stop the bleeding.

His eyes opened, the deep blue blending in with the dark, detective Taylor swallowed hard, she pulled her flashlight up close to him as he moaned letting go of a branch he was using, most likely to beat off the pain.

“He survived?” the detective whispered shocked.


back in the courthouse…… “And that’s what I saw” the detective said finishing, everyone in the room stared. Brian, felt ill and happy at the same time, but he suppressed his smile.

“Where’s the other detective” Brian’s attorney thundered “Where is that damn girl”
Chapter Eleven by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
More!!!!! Thoughts?
Doctor John Preston had been following Brian around for the past two months and in that time he had seen nothing, as far as a doctor who before applying for medical school was perusing a career as a psychologist, which would plant Brian as possible suspect murderer. Still his patient had deliberately lied to his parents and perhaps more people than that about a relationship with a woman. His story, as he had told it many times, had changed from telling to telling – had started to trip over itself. This man clearly wanted people not to know what happened between him and this mystery woman.

Even though Brian had attended his first day of court, and had met with his attorney shortly before that, Dr Preston didn’t feel comfortable with letting Brian be released, he was to stay at the hospital over night so that he, if he did have another episode, it could be caught in advance. The doctor had been sitting n his sleep room waiting for his shift to get over so he could take his wife out to her belated birthday dinner. He would still be on call, but at least it would give him the chance to make up with his wife.

“Dr. Preston” a small nock came at the half open door. Dr. Preston peered up from his book looking into the tearful eyes of Detective Taylor; she had a large black peat overcoat buttoned up to her throat, quite an odd occurrence for the late summer months. The doctor smiled wondering what she was doing.

“Detective, may I help you” he asked putting his book down on the bedside table watching her nod in response, her deep grey eyes were surrounded by puffy red lids, her nose was the same bright red and her cheeks were flushed. Doctor Preston stood up and walked towards her leading her to the chair opposite the one he was sitting in after shutting the door to his room.

“I –“ she started to explain “I’ll show you” she finished shakily her skinny fingers fumbling to unbutton her coat. The doctor sat back in his chair a little baffled.

“Miss Taylor” he exclaimed, wondering what this women was doing, “Dear God” he exclaimed.

…….

“I can’t find her, she’s not answering her phone” Detective Campbell sighed heavily replacing the phone back on the receiver.

“Well try her again!” Both Harold and the Brian’s attorney blurted angrily.

Detective Campbell rubbed his head for a moment then starting twisting his pen around mindlessly “You don’t understand, the last time she was away, she was away for three months, when she came back she was deathly ill. She has been ill since she’s been back, but we don’t get paid that much so she had to work, she must’ve hit bottom again.”

“Detective” Harold scratched behind his ear “are you trying to cover for Miss Taylor? Because she was a witness to the crime, and her statement could be everything.”

“Everything we have found is down on record, sir. I don’t think a detective, whose sole purpose would be to figure out the crime would hide evidence.” He said looking up at Harold.

Brian sat in the corner of the room, watching the men fight it out. It would have been more entertaining if he didn’t have to worry about what they’d find out. He couldn’t just tell them what had happened between him and Claire Aki during the summer, during the whole year before, and he had no explanation for the knife wound in his chest. He desperately wanted everything figured out, for the sake of everyone it was affecting. He would almost be satisfied with calling himself guilty.

Closing his eyes, he tried to focus on that night, the only memory he could remember clearly.


“You ready to go? Leighanne come on hurry up” Brian said waiting in the front room for his wife to get out of the dressing room. She walked down, her purse strapped over her shoulder, and her shoes poking out from under her flared pants.

“Yes, I’m ready” she growled pulling a sweater over her arms then replacing her purse over her arm. “Let’s get this over with quickly.” She muttered as her husband opened the door for her “Shit, it’s raining!” she growled running back in. Brian rolled his eyes and walked to the front closet grabbing her coat. She pulled that on and replaced her purse over her shoulder a second time clutching the bag tightly.

Brian pulled the door shut behind them and offered to help her to the car; she refused so instead he stayed a few paces behind. Once they made it to the car Leighanne briskly walked to the passenger side waiting for Brian to open it, he pushed the button on the key and the door opened, they both got in slamming their doors behind them.

Brian slammed the key into the ignition waiting for the engine to start up, as soon as he heard it start to purr he pulled the clutch into reverse and pressed his foot to the gas “I’ve already told my rep that we’re divorcing.” He said after a few minutes of silence. Leighanne turned to him, her purse still clutched in her lap.

“Brian, I still love you” she said softly. Brian glared over at her, then turned his attention back to the road pressing the car forward onto the road. After more silence Leighanne sighed uncomfortably and looked at her husband again “I told your rep that we weren’t getting a divorce. We have to wait till it’s official, it’s not official yet. Brian I don’t want it to be official.”

“That’s not what you told Alex.” He muttered under his breath looking to the side, they passed a small gas station that was literally empty except for one car parked sideways, taking up at least three parking spaces. The car had it’s light’s on inside, and Brian watched as the man suddenly slammed his hand up against the top of the roof of his car. It was amusing, and gave Brian something else to think about as he peered at the road ahead. He noticed the road ahead and saw that his left side was dimmer in the distance than his right. “What’d you do? Gall how much time does it take you to take this car over to a shop” he growled slowing down; they had reached the back roads, where the streets were winding around hillsides with deep cliff like ravines. Slowing the car down to twenty, Brian decided he had to pay more attention to the roads. Leighanne said nothing in response as they continued driving. Then the lights flickered on both sides, the left returning to half strength guiding them along the road.

“Go faster” Leighanne said flatly looking out the side of the road. Brian pursed his lips to hide his clenched teeth as he continued to drive. “I know what’s going on Brian” she looked at him, he quickly flashed a glance towards her they looked back at the roads, the lights continued to flicker.

“It doesn’t make a difference; we’re getting a divorce anyway. I just want to get through this night.” He growled, he could her whimpering, most likely it was fake “OK” he growled.

The reflection from the moonlight started to show through the tree’s as they continued on the road, Brian saw the road come to a narrow straight path, he peered over at Leighanne, wondering where she had gone. Her face was angry as she looked at him, he peered back ahead the road was getting windy again, and the tree’s were starting to cover the reflection of the moon. “Go faster; we’re going to be out in this stupid forest forever.” She whined.

“I’m not going to go faster, the lights keep flickering off. I don’t want to get in an accident. “ He growled, all she could do was complain. She had been cheating on him, for who knows how long, why he was taking this

The continued on the road and the light’s kept flickering off till finally the left completely went black, Brian slammed his fist against the steering wheel, and again slowed down. Leighanne scoffed as she looked in the rearview mirror “Oh great, look now we have some stupid person following us and their honking because you’re gong so slow, go faster” she groaned.

‘I told you NO. I don’t want to, the roads are to slick” Brian said flatly he was just about to role his window down to tell the person to pass them, their lights were coming closer, as if the car behind them wanted to tail their car.

“The rain stopped a half an hour ago.” Leighanne growled as she moved over closer to take the wheel. Brian pushed her away she was acting insane.

“Leighanne Stop!!!!” He growled pushing her away again. The car started to swerve; she threw her bag against his face. Brian could feel the pain thrashing through his skull. There was something hard in there, Brian had not clue what it was but it was painful.

The car swerved again, Brian gripped the wheel trying to make sure he wouldn’t over correct the car, and forced them into a spin. Leighanne, madly, looked at him still unaware of the peril she was causing them “Pull over Brian!” she said suddenly as she noticed a blue light flash on the car behind him.

Brian was still trying to regain control of the car, the roads were too narrow to pull over anywhere without being hit by an oncoming car “I can’t right here, I can barely see!”

Leighanne moved closer again, her face full of anger, and menace “Pull the stupid car over damnit!” she pulled at the wheel.

“The lights are too dim –“ Brian blurted in a panic, there was no stopping the car now, Leighanne slammed her foot over the gas pedal the car barreled through the side railing.

......


“Dr Preston” a nock came at the doctor’s door and he looked up glad he had locked the door.

“Just a minute” he said allowed, he looked back at Detective Taylor watching her button her overcoat up “Take this prescription to the pharmacist and make sure to check in with me next week. It’s a good thing those doctors in the Caribbean knew how to remove the Placentia in time. You might still be sick for a while, but the worst is over.” He smiled, the detective nodded.

“Thank you. I’m glad you undsterstood” she smiled weakly.

“Claire, you’re going to have to tell them sometime” he murmured resting his hand on her shoulder “It will make thing’s so much easier.”

She shook her head looking down pursing her lips before she looked up again “If my Mother found out I had changed my name and done this, she would’ve flipped.”

“Yes, but you’re the only person who knows what really happened.”

“I wasn’t apart of it. I only was going to meet them, to talk with Leighanne. To finalize everything so that Brian and I could finally take the baby off of his parent’s hands.” She murmured quietly.

“Yes, but you lead the department astray giving them false evidence, when you saw the whole thing.” He said, another knock came at the door.

“Dr. Preston, its Brian he’s fainted again! They need you now”

“Here’s the perfect time to explain all this” the doctor smiled “They’ll understand, it will help everyone else out.
Chapter Twelve by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
I have to say, I haven't read this in a while, and going back over this just makes me so happy. I really like what happened with this story, well not what happened, lol, but how I did it. Anyway, thoughts?
Four male nurses had accompanied Brian through the E.R. wing of the hospital, it wouldn’t be necessary that he be there now that his seizer had alleviated again. His body was stiff and rigid as they transferred him from the board to the gurney before they rolled his limp body down the pasted halls.

“Tom, see if you can buy us a few more days” Detective Campbell called back to Detective Wattney. The man nodded and retreated into a secluded hall to the exit to make his phone call. However, as he opened the door to the side of the building he was bombarded with press and cameras.

“Can you tell us what’s happening in there?” a pushy reporter asked. The detective had just enough time to hang up on the judge’s secretary.

“No” he tired to get back in the door fighting off pestering hands and cameras, swiping boom mikes out of his face “Security” he yelled.


……

“Mr. Littrell” Doctor Preston called down the hall as Harold paced outside the door where his son was lying, convulsing again. Harold turned abruptly towards him with a sudden sigh of relief.

“He’s started another seizer” Harold explained his eyes turning towards the glass.

“They can get it under control” the doctor said calmly “Mr. Littrell, there’s someone who would like to talk to you.”

Harold pinned his eyes to the monitor that had just flat lined, the doctor dropped his comment and pushed the doors open. Another nurse led Jackie out of the room away from the trauma.

They watched transfixed, as the defibrillator attempted to regulate Brian’s depleted heart rate. Jackie wrapped her hands around Harold’s arms turning her head away from the scene, her eyes floated to the clock, as if anticipating it to stop.

Inside his body Brian could only describe himself as being suffocated under water. All he could see in his mind was the surface of the ocean afar off, with the small light of the sun peering through the dark abyss of liquid. No matter how hard he tried to swim to the surface he was dragged twice as hard back down. Death wasn’t supposed to be like this, but every time he’d dreamt it was like this, but this time he couldn’t wake up.

The light was coming again, a fresh bright white light, forcing a calming affect over his body. The weight of his body felt light and feathery, he felt a warm rush, like he had before.

Then it hit, like the thud, a deep low growl, the tires screeching as they belched forward off the road and through the side railing. It was that moment where all he wanted to do was die, he pled for a quick death, but now they struck the palm of the tree, where the branches were starting their journey outwards. A crack, and high pitched squeal followed as the tires spun in the air, He realized he couldn’t see the glass in front of him.

He looked down in his lap at the glass, and then at his shirt. Her hand was still wrapped around the hilt.

“I loved you” she whispered before she pulled the knife out. Quickly she forced herself over him. The car groaned under the unsteady movement, she pressed the handle the blood on her hands caused her to loose her grip, the door flung open. She screamed, but nothing came out, frantically she grabbed for his shirt anything she could, the wait of the car tipped to the driver’s side. Then slowly she slipped, her fingers grasping on for life, but it was too slippery. Tugging one last time she her pinky lost hold, then her thumb and her fingers, quickly with a thud she went down, her head hitting the root of the tree before her limp body rolled down the ravine.

Bran felt himself gulp fast as he saw or heard most of it, he couldn’t quite tell now, his body was seziering and he thought he could hear screams from afar, he didn’t see it tip though, when his body convulsed forward, he only saw the steering wheel coming nearer and nearer, and then the car grown smaller and smaller, then that was it, when he felt a root. Unconsciously he grabbed it, but there was no chance, not in the entire world, to hang on, and he slipped, that’s when he hit the ground.


“One more time Suzy!” Dr Preston called she timed it again calling clear. Jackie wrapped her fingers in Harold’s squeezing tight as she peered into the glass again waiting praying silently.
Chapter Thirteen by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
Yes, I thought you would enjoy reading more... :)! Thoughts?
“That’s it – come on back around” the doctor said enthusiastically as Brian coughed. "Get a drip going; go for about 20 ccs about 100.”

He stripped his gloves from his hands and pushed the door back pulling his mask down as he stared at Brian’s bewildered parents.

“I think we’re going to have to get a look at that heart” Doctor Preston said before the silence smothered all of them. Harold nodded as he still looked into the glass windowed room where his son lay prone, again.

“You found detective Taylor I presume” he looked over at the doctor. Dr. Preston stared back startled, wondering if he thought that something had happened in the sleep room or if he already know about her being Claire. He was confused at what to say, the less the better he decided.

“Yes” he said passively.

“Well, where'd she go. What was she thinking taking a joyride when she's supposed to be thick in a case” Harold asked a little more roughly than intended.

“Maybe its best if you talk with her yourselves” the doctor announced turning to the hall “I’ll lead you to the waiting room."

……….

Claire paced the floor’s nervously, there was so much she needed to explain to [ at least ] the Littrell’s about not only her relationship with their son, but of what else she hadn’t reveled about the night of the accident. It was time to come clean. To get the story straight, at least as straight as it could be considering the circumstances. She knew it would make her loose her job, but she had to do something, no matter what; she had to get it out.

The handle on the door clicked, and she grabbed her coat pockets sitting down nervously watching his parent’s walk in.

………

Literally minutes of silence passed between the Littrell’s and Detective Taylor. Mostly, for the Littrell’s, because of the sudden low they had just endured. Life is too tender to be thrashed around like an old toy doll, but for Brian, it was the perfect analogy.

Harold watched, his eyes steadily piercing into the detectives face. He was going to have to be the first one to speak he assumed, all this detective was doing was wringing her fingers over and over again, it was beginning to get on his nerves.

“Miss. Taylor –“he started in.

“Harold, Jackie, Mr. and Mrs. Littrell” she placed her hands just below her neck pushing her shaking fingers about down as she spoke “Before I tell you about that night, you need to know” she paused breathing out, she had no clue who these people were, or how their reactions would be, aside from Brian’s dad hearing he was a lire and fuming up about it, this was different. “I, your son and I were having an affair” she blurted, covering her mouth quickly after, she had let it out, and not in the way she had run it through in her heads.

His parents stared back blankly, she counted, and it took only thirty seconds for the words to set in. Brian’s father leaned back in the chair he was sitting in pulling his tie loosely around his neck, but neither said a word with their mouths, their eyes did all the talking, she would have to speak quickly.

“It was two summers ago. I met him when he had accidentally stepped onto one of our crime scenes. Believe me, we had no intention of – We started talking and then seeing each other often on. He invited me on tour with him. He explained to me that he was getting married, but that he didn’t want to anymore. After he met me. That was after, after it happened.

“I told him no, I told him we couldn’t go on, and I was mad because he had lied to me. He went home to try and patch things up with his wife. Then a few weeks into his next string of tour dates. I found out, and he was ecstatic, he was going to get a divorce from Leighanne and we were going to get married.

“But he was afraid of how you would both take it. He knew both of you would hope that he would be a good boy like you had raised him to be, to get married and to have kids, and be a good husband. So we settled on me taking the baby, but he still wanted to see me. I don’t know why I even considered it. So we went on another tour and we were on a subway and it was broken down, we were out in the middle of no where. He delivered the baby. I was going to go back and claim the child because there was no way that customs would believe he was the father.”

His parent’s sat still as stones, listening with both their ears and their eyes, their lips held back their thoughts.

“I couldn’t take the baby after I found out I was getting sick, really sick, I couldn’t tell what it was so I went to thousands of doctors, who gave me numerous pills and medications. Nothing worked. Brian was going to take me to a hospital, one in Kentucky, I guess where you both live, but he couldn’t do that without breaking things with Leighanne. She already knew about us though, somehow she found out. Brian was going to have her meet me, and we were both going to convince her to get a divorce from Brian so we could get things figured out. Brian knew he couldn’t take the child home to Leighanne, and he knew if you had heard the story about Leighanne being with Brian on tour for a very long time, and then loosing touch for a little bit, you would believe the child was theirs.” She breathed, still their faces had not changed “the night that we were going to meet, Leighanne sent me a note, a death threat with a picture of me and Brian and our little girl. She was going to kill Brian.

“I only got it a few minutes before she and Brian were headed up to my house. I was heading their also I wanted to get up there before she did anything to Brian. The car in front of me wouldn’t stop. So I put on a red light on the top of the car because I figured it was an emergency, Then the car went off the road. I immediately called dispatch, but they weren’t there. Since I was a Detective I scoped the scene out. Leighanne had been thrown or something from the car, but I couldn’t see Brian, everything was so dark it was hard to see with my small flashlight, but then I heard him groan, when Detective Campbell was there. It was just crazy, like going though a nightmare.”

Brian’s mom blinked, still absorbing the information. Her husband sat, still in the back of the chair, propping one leg over the other. He tapped the sole of his shoe then scratched his chin.
Chapter Fourteen by KaySweet
Author's Notes:
Finally another chapter's up. Comments?
Harold finally leaned forward, after hearing the detective’s story, he was seething with anger. Upset could only partially describe his response as he sat staring. It was his way of getting his point through. Not talking, leaving the person he was disappointed in, in a deep hole of guilt. Only he wanted to burry this detective to the last hair on their head.

He finally sat forward again looking at the detectives pale face, her nose and cheeks were flushed red from embarrassment and shame “Tell me again, what compelled you to even pursue such a relationship? You, being a detective would have to have known his relationship” his tone thickened, his anger flaring off his tongue “Then you have the gaul to lead every damn person in this investigation to believe that you had no part in this? What the hell where you thinking?”

“I, She threatened to kill Brian. I knew if I had let what I knew out. I would loose my job.”

Harold rubbed the stubble making up his beard “You had warning messages too? If the department doesn’t ask you to quit!, I’ll recommend it they do. You kept this little secret of yours under wraps to save your own skin. There’s a women dead, and my son’s heart is failing. All - all because there were a few months of infatuation.”

“I’m in love with your son” Claire screamed in defense “Leighanne was up to something before she ever found out. She had her hand in his back pocket before I cam into his life. I’m the one who helped him decide that she was just using him. I LOVE HIM” she screamed again.

Harold walked up in Clair’s face “You almost killed him.”

Jackie watched, finally sighing. Everything she wanted to say had been said, she was too emotionally tide up to want to comment anymore on the subject. Her husband however had one last word.

“Leave” he said angrily, his voice barely above a whisper.

“I’m sorry for what happened”

“Don’t give me that shit. Leave” he said again shouting in her ear. Jackie stood up and walked behind her husband pressing her hand on his back, she stared at Claire.

Claire’s eyes darted, she wanted to fix things between them, but obviously now was not the time. She picked up her purse and walked out of the door “I’m sorry” she said again tears springing from her eyes.

“No your not. Get out” he stared her down as she left. Jackie buried her face into her husband’s chest tears finally coming to her eyes.


………..


Jackie stared at the ceiling waiting for her eyes to close, but they didn’t. She was expecting to be woken up by an call from the emergency room, or worse, from the doctor himself. She rolled on her side looking at her husbands back, wondering if he was still sleep. Lightly she wrapped her hand under his arm around to the front of his chest waiting to see if he would respond. After a few seconds,, he turned around on his back pulling her in.

“Do you think we were to harsh, on Claire?” she asked in a whisper.

“No” her husband answered opening his eyes briefly.

“I like her actually” Jackie laid her head on her husband’s chest.

“Jackie she lied to us! she withheld information from everyone. This has nothing to do with how sorry she feels now. She made the decision to do what she did."

“Our son, also made the decision to sleep with her” Jackie added yawning.

“He did. he's not vidicated either. Perhaps he'll learn from this experience what repercussions fooling around, and sleeping with anyone and everyone has on people.” He replied dryly.

“Perhaps” she said softly, her eyes closing “I hope the judge buy’s the story.”

“I hope it ends in justice.”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8129