The Voice Within by JenniferKaos
Summary: Jennifer is a normal girl who happens to live in the spotlight. What happens when she decides to live the "normal" life? Find out what happens when she keeps her identity a secret. Can she do it?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content, Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 8470 Read: 5308 Published: 01/29/07 Updated: 02/03/07

1. Chapter 1: Introductions by JenniferKaos

2. Chapter 2: The Beginning Of Everything by JenniferKaos

3. Chapter 3: The Getting To Know Everyone by JenniferKaos

4. Chapter 4: The Big Night by JenniferKaos

Chapter 1: Introductions by JenniferKaos
"What do you want me to do with your hair?" 23 year old, Patricia Cabrillo asked.

"Dye it blonde" 20 year old, Jennifer Phillips told her.

"Blonde? Whoa, that's a change."

Looking up at her newly-fresh dyed brunette friend, she said, "Look who's talkin'. I don't know what was going through your head when you decided to dye your hair black. You must have been on something."

"I just needed a change." Trish told her, running a brush through Jen's hair.

"Well, that's exactly what I need. I can't let anyone know who I am. That's the whole point. To live a normal life."

"Jen, you have everything. I don't see why you need to live what you call a normal life." Trish emphasized.

Standing up, Jen looked at herself in the mirror. "Trish, you know why I need to live a normal life."

Jennifer smoothed away a few split ends from the top of her head.

"You can't let what Marcus did to you ruin your life. Move on. Find another man. Oh... Speaking of another man, guess who wants me to follow them around and be their stylist? You will never believe this" Trish exclaimed, with a huge smile upon her face.

Turning around, Jen shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know. Who? Justin Timberlake?" she joked.

"Shit, I wish. I'd give anything to be able to run my fingers through that lock of hair."

"What hair?" Jen joked. "He's bald, Trish."

Throwing a brush towards Jen, Jen ducked. "Shut up. You know what I mean."

"Trish, tell me who wants you to be their stylist."

"Your boy toy."

Widening her eyes, Jennifer gasped. "Nick?"

"Yep. Nick."

"You lucky dog. How'd you manage that?" Jennifer asked, sitting back in the chair.

Trish walked over to Jen and began running her fingers through her hair. "I have no idea. I was chillin' with some of my girls the other night and I got a phone call. I didn't recognize the number, so I wasn't going to answer. You know me. If I don't recognize your number, then I'm not picking up. Thank god, I did. Cuz it was him. I was like whoa," she said, laughing. "He asked if I would be interested and I told him of course."

"How'd he get your number?"

"I have no idea but I'm not worried about that."

"Yeah, I wouldn't either. You do know that you have to hook us up, right?"

Smiling, Trish nodded her head. "Girl, you know I'm going to help you out with that. If I have anything to do with it, I'll have you two married by the time I'm finished with him"

"I hope. That would be a miracle."

"No, what would be a miracle is you getting through a semester at college without anyone knowing who you are."

"I can do it. It's no problem."

"Yeah. We'll see." Trish said, beginning her work to Jen's hair. Jen looked up at Trish.

"I'm going to miss you." she said, sadly. Looking down at her best friend, a tear formed in Trish's eye.

"I know. I'll miss you too. It's all your fault though. If you didn't want to take a break, we could stay together."

Jennifer laughed. "We sound like we're dating."

Laughing, Trish shook her head. "Yeah, I know, but we're almost sisters. We'll phone each day and night."

Reaching down, Trish wrapped her arm around Jen, laying her cheek on top of her head. "I love you, girl."

Bringing her arm up around Trish, Jen said, "I love you too. Dawgs forever?"

Bursting into laughter, Trish said, "Dawgs forever.".

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jen's Thoughts

How am I going to pull this off? Of course, they'll know who I am. Who doesn't? Oh, you probably don't know what I'm talking about. LOL. My name is Jennifer Marie Phillips. I'm 20 years old. Right now in my life, I am what they call a pop star. I hate that word. I'm just a normal person who happens to be in the media's eye every day and every 24 hours. I love to shop, love to hang with my friends, and love to pig out on junk food. Hope Jordan doesn't read this. Jordan is my manager. He used to be in a band when he was younger. You may have heard of him. Jordan Knight. I actually can't believe he's my manager. I used to be a die-hard New Kids On The Block fan and yes, Jordan was my favorite. He was the one that helped get me signed to Jive Records. He happened to run into Trish, who he went on a date with, which is another story. But anyways, they got to talking and being the angel Trish is, she told him about me. He was interested in managing a band. I know I'm not a band but he agreed to manage me. He's the best. I couldn't ask for a better manager. He's more like a older brother to me. We go out and hang every day of the week. LOL. Anyways, I'm taking a break from the public for a little while. Just to see what it's like to be normal again. Maybe attend a few college classes. But no one can know who I am because that would defeat the purpose. But we'll see how that goes.

Now, let me introduce you to my friends. My bestest friend in the world would be Trish. By the way, is bestest a word? Oh well, it is now. Haha. Trish, a.k.a Patricia Cabrillo, is 23 years old. She's my make-up artist. The best make-up artist in the biz. In my opinion, that is. She has helped me transfer myself from being the little girl everyone refers to me as to a young woman. She has been with me through everything. Pain and happy times. We met when I was 14 and she was 17. I happen to meet her one day on the bus ride to my house. I couldn't find a seat and being the dear she is, she let me sit beside her. How corny is that? LOL Ever since then, she was there.

Then, there's Erik. Some of you may know him. He's from a band called O-Town. Another really good friend to me. We both were there for each other. He was with me when I found out that I was signed. I was there for him when he found out he would be in the final five. I love him to death. Trish makes fun of me by saying you can't have a best guy friend without having feelings for them. I tell her she's wrong. I mean, eww. It's Erik. No way do I have feelings for him. He's gross. LOL. I mean, look at him. Ok. Maybe he is cute. Ok. He's gorgeous. But, no. I love him as a friend. I don't have many of them and I want to keep him near. Is that hard for everyone to understand?


Trish's Thoughts

I really do not see how Jen is going to pull this off. I mean, she is huge. Well, when it comes to popularity. I love the girl. And not to sound all lesbo or anything but she's my girl. We've been friends forever and I'm glad I met her. She's the sweetest thing on earth. Sometimes a little too sweet. I think that's why she's been betrayed so much. She's needs to gain a thicker skin. People walk over all the time. She'll learn I'm sure.

Man, Nick Carter of all people asked me to be his stylist. I mean, me. Can you believe that? I know Jen's glad. She's had a crush on him ever since she was 13. I'm going to get the two together. That's my goal. My dying wish. LOL. If it wasn't for the fact that the boy isn't my type I'd try to get with him. Don't get me wrong. He's hot but I'm not all for the pretty boy kind. But we'll see. Well, kiddies hang on cuz you're in for a very bumpy ride. See you at the end.
Chapter 2: The Beginning Of Everything by JenniferKaos
Jennifer began her way up the stairs that led to her dorm room. She began to feel nervous each step she went. 'what am i doing? You already have a successful career laid out for you. You don't need college. This is just a waste of time." her mind told her.

Someone bumping into her brought Jen back to reality. "Oh, I'm sorry." she heard the stranger say to her.

Falling to the ground, she hit her head hard on the cement. "Ow." Jen painfully said, bringing her hand to her head.

Offering their hand, the stranger said, "Here. Let me help you up."

Looking up, Jennifer set her eyes on a pair of intense green. Jennifer placed her hand into his. Without any success, she fell back to the ground.

"Are you ok?" he asked, sympathetically.

"Um, yeah. Sorry." she said, standing up. "I should have watched where I was going." Jen tried to explain.

"No. It's my fault. I was reading this damn book and didn't pay attention where I was going."

Extending his hand, he said, "Hi, I'm C.J."

"Stacie" Shaking his hand, Jen smiled. "This place is scary." Jennifer told him, looking up and down the hallway.

"Aw. Don't let it get to you. Is this your first year?"

"Sadly enough, yeah. I've been too busy trying to get my career rolling. I mean, my job." Jen corrected herself.

Shaking his head in slight confusion, CJ asked, "How old are you?"

"I'm 20."

"I'm 21. This is my 4th year. I'm finally getting out." he joked.

"Well, I'm not really fully here."

"What do you mean?" he asked, pushing her lightly to the side to let some students pass.

Smiling, she said, "Thanks. Well, I mean. I'm just taking a few classes right now. Not a full student yet."

"Oh ok. I understand now. You'll like it. I mean, college is fun. Especially the parties. They are so crazy here. There's one tonight, if you want to join me. As my guest, of course." he asked, winking at her. "Unless your boyfriend would mind."

"No boyfriend here. Single as they come but yeah I'll go. But first, can you show me to my room please."

"What's the dorm hall called?"

Looking down at her folder, she asked, "Where would it be?" Jennifer opened it, flipping through the sheets.

"Here let me see the folder." He took the folder and began going through the contents. "You know, you look really familiar. Do I know you from someplace?"

"Nope. I don't think so. I'm not from around here."

"Here it is." he said, taking a sheet out. Skimming through the words, he said, "Oh ok. You're at Mercury Hall. That's funny cuz that's my dorm hall too."

"Lucky me." she flirted.

Grabbing her hand, he smiled. "Let's go."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trish walked into the small room. It was rather plain. A little too plain for someone of Nick's status. Sitting down in the seat that faced the mirror, she sighed.

"Man, I'm so bored," she said to herself. "I miss Jen."

"Who's Jen?" she heard behind her. Trish gasped as she heard the voice. Looking into the mirror, she saw the boy plain as day. Dressed in a white tee and jeans, Nick smiled. "Sorry. I was ease-droppin'." he told her.

Standing up, she straightened herself out. "Um...sorry. Hi, I'm Patricia Cabrillo. Your new stylist." she told him, extending her hand.

"Hello, Patricia. I'm Nick but you knew that right."

Nodding her head, she laughed. "Yep. I'm a huge fan of yours. Well, Backstreet Boys. I prefer AJ actually." she told him, truthfully.

"Wow. You're honest. Well, I'm a fan of yours also. Actually I'm a fan of Jen's. I watch everything of her's and I noticed the work you do on her. She looks good so I thought maybe you could do the same on a man."

"I'll try. To be completely honest the only man I have experimented on was my brother Jeremy." she joked.

"Really? I'm sure you'll do fine. We'll see, I guess.."

"I hope so."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Looking up at the number on the door, CJ turned to Jen. "Here it is. 122."

"Oh, good. Thanks so much for showing me to my room." she said, smiling at him.

"No problem. I'm going to go now. I got to get some things done before classes tomorrow. Meet you here tonight?" he asked.

"Yeah, that will be fine. What time does the party start?"

"Well, it starts at 7 but the fun doesn't start until about 10. I usually don't show up until then."

Extending her hand, she rose her head proudly. "Well, Mr. CJ, pick me up at 9:30 tonight."

Laughing lightly, he shook her hand. "See you tonight at 9:30." Turning, he left Jennifer behind.

Jennifer inhaled a deep breath and knocked on the door. Shuffling was heard within the room.

"Coming." she heard on the other end. To say Jennifer was nervous was an understatement. She was terrified. Who could be her roommate? What if she got the roommate from hell? She would never be able to deal. She could always transfer to another room. But were there rooms left?

The door opened to reveal a bi-racial beauty.

Instantly, Jennifer thought, "Great. A bitch."

"Hey, you must be the roommate." the girl said.

"That's me."

Motioning Jennifer in, the girl said, "Come on in. This is your room too. Settle in. I'm Olivia Bryant."

"Stacie Martin"

"Nice to meet you."

Jennifer looked around the room and smiled. The room was a nice size room with shelves that lined the walls. Two beds faced each other with nightstands to match. Two dressers stood on each side of one of the beds. A desk stood beside the other bed. The wall length closet appeared opposite the door. Jennifer was impressed. She didn't expect the room to be glorious or anything she was used to.

"I didn't unpack anything until you arrived. I wanted to wait until you got here so you could choose which side you wanted." Olivia told her.

"Oh, I don't care." Jennifer said, sitting her bookbag on the ground.

"Which bed?"

"I don't care. You choose."

Olivia pointed towards the bed between the dressers. "I'll take that one."

"OK. Then, I'll choose this one." The sound of a cellphone broke their silence. Grabbing her bookbag, Jen placed it on the bed. Unzipping it, she grabbed her phone.

"It's mine." she yelled, waving her phone in the air. Olivia turned and began unpacking her things.

"Jen" Jennifer whispered so Olivia couldn't hear her.

"Hey, baby girl. Where are you at?" she heard on the other end.

"Erik?"

"Yep. It's me. I'm at CU. Now where are you?"

Looking over at Olivia, Jen whispered angrily, "Are you crazy? What are you doing here? You're going to get me caught."

"Man, no I'm not. I just thought I would come and visit you on your first day. But since I'm not wanted."

"No, you're wanted. I just don't want anyone knowing who I am." she said, thinning her tone. Laying back on the bed, she looked up at the ceiling.

"I'm at Mercury Hall. Room 122."

"I'll be right up."

"Make sure no one recognizes you." she told him, shutting her cellphone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trish sat in the seat facing Nick, staring over at him.

"So, how exactly did you and Jennifer meet?" Nick asked, placing his hands behind his head.

"We met in middle school actually. She was looking for a seat and I was free. Sounds corny, I know." she told him, laughing.

"No. It's cute." Silence filled the room between the two.

Looking down at his hand, Nick spoke up. "So, when are you going to set me and Jen up? " he joked.

"You seriously want to go on a date with Jen?" Trish asked, not believing what she was hearing. Shaking his head, he looked across the room. "Are you crazy? Of course I want to go on a date with Jen. That woman is fine."

"I could call her right now." Trish teased him, holding her phone up.

Rushing over to her, he grabbed the phone from her hand and ran.

"Hey, give me my phone back." she yelled, running after him.

"You're not calling her." he told her, stopping. He held the phone above his head.

"Ok, I won't. Now give me my phone." she said, trying to reach for the phone.

"Go on and call her" he told her, handing the phone to her. Opening the phone, she dialed Jen's number.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hearing a knock at the door, Jen stood up. Walking to the door, the sound of the phone broke her from her stride.

"Olivia, can you get the door?" Jen asked, walking over to her nightstand.

"Hello?"

"No, don't" she heard on the other end and then, a dial tone.

Shaking her head, she threw her cellphone onto the bed. "What a loser?" she said, to herself.
Chapter 3: The Getting To Know Everyone by JenniferKaos
Jennifer opened the door, excitedly. Seeing her best friend in front of her, she threw her arms around him. "Erik, where have you been? How'd you know I was going to this college anyways?" she asked, all at once. Laughing, he pulled away, looking her over.

"I called your sister. She filled me in." he said, smiling. "You know ,since I never hear from you anymore."

Grabbing his hand, she pulled him further into the room. "Here. Come in. Let me introduce you to my roommate."

"Ok." Erik said, walking with her.

"Olivia, this is my friend, Erik. Erik, this is Olivia." she told them, introducing the two. Erik's eyes lightened up at the mere site of Olivia. In his mind, she was the mere image of beauty.

"It's nice meeting you." he told her, taking her hand, kissing the top lightly.

"Wait a minute. I know you." Olive told him, looking him up and down. "Are you from that boy band O-Town?" Olivia asked.

"Wow. You know your boy bands." he said, as he felt an elbow hit his side.

"Damn, girl. What?" he yelled, rubbing his side, as he looked over at Jennifer.

"Nothing." she said, turning around and walking to her bed.

"So, how did you two meet?" Olivia asked, as Erik sat down on a chair.

"We met through some friends. One of my girlfriends is a make up artist and she introduced the two of us." Jennifer tried to cover up. Laying down on her bed, she heard her cellphone ring again.

"Damnit. The last time I picked up the phone they hung up on me."

Reaching his hand out, Erik said, "Here. Let me have the phone. I'll tell them."

"No. I have it." Opening the case, she placed the phone to her ear.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Man, don't do it." Nick yelled, grabbing the phone from Trish's hand.

"Boy, give that back to me." Trish yelled, as Nick began running down the hallway. "I'm going to get you."

"Not if I'm faster than you." he yelled back, running through an open door down another hallway.

"Aww, is poor little Nicky scared of little ol' Jennifer Phillips?" Trish cooed after him.

Stopping midway, he turned and faced her as Trish ran into him.

"Damn, boy. You could have warned me." she said, looking up at him. "You sure is tall."

Saying nothing, Nick picked her up and threw her over his shoulder.

"What are you doing? Let me down, you freak" she yelled, as she pounded on his back.

"Ow. Stop that." he said, as he proceeded down the hall. Opening one of the side doors, he walked inside and placed her on the couch.

"Now you stay in here and be a good girl." he told her and he walked out the room, locking the door.

Trish ran to the door and turned the knob. "Punk-ass" she said to herself. "He fuckin' locked the door."

She began to pound on the door while screaming for help.

Nick looked at the door and smiled. With the phone in hand, he began down the hall, pressing redial.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hello?" Jennifer said.

"Yeah. Can I speak to Jennifer Phillips?" she heard on the other end.

"Um...this is she." she said, confused.

"Hi. This is Nick. Trish gave me your number and I thought I would call you."

"Nick?" she asked, dumb-founded.

"Nick Carter" he told her.

"Oh. Nick, I'm sorry. I had a brainfart. I'm sorry." she told him, laughing. Erik looked over at Olivia, who was intent at looking at Jennifer to see what was going on.

"Oh, no. That's ok. I kind of called at an akward time." he said, laughing himself. "Well, anyways. I won't keep you long but I was wondering if maybe you wanted to chill sometime."

Jennifer's cheeks began to form a burning sensation and her mouth formed a smile. Erik noticed her hand begin to tremble and he was very curious as to what was going on.

"Um...yeah. We can chill sometime. That would be fine with me." she told him, noticing her voice begin to change with nervousness.

"Phat" he said. "How about tonight?" he asked. "Trish told me you don't live too far from her. I could come pick you up."

Looking around the room at Olivia and Erik, she said, "Actually, if you tell me where I'll meet you there."

"Meet me at Marion's. Do you know where that is?"

"Yeah, I know that place. Me and Trish go there all the time. I'll meet you there. What time?"

"How about 9?. Is that ok?" he asked.

Smiling, Jennifer said, "Yeah, that will be great. I guess, I'll see you then."

"Yep. See you then. Bye"

"Bye" she told him, shutting her phone with a smile on her face.

"Who was that?" Erik asked in an annoyance tone.

"Nick"

"Nick who?" Olivia asked, sitting down on Jen's bed.

"Is it who I think it is?" Erik asked, scratching his slightly bald head.

Jennifer nodded her head while smiling.

"Tell me someone. This is killing me." Olivia protested.

Laying back in her bed, Jennifer sighed as her heart began to slow down.

"Nick Carter" Erik told her.

"Nick Carter called you?" Olivia asked, confused. "Nu-uh. I don't believe you. There's no way he would ever consider dating someone that's not famous. Guys like him date the girls in the magazines."

Erik began to choke. Picking up her pillow, Jennifer threw it at him.

"I know Erik and he's famous." Jennifer pointed out.

"Well, he's from O-Town. They're not all that famous. No big deal. Plus they're not a band anymore. They don't count."

"You know what? Fuck you, Olivia. We are still a band and I am famous." he exclaimed, changing his opinion on Olivia.

"Whatever, bro" she said, putting her hand up in the air.

"Olivia, I'm going to tell you something but you have got to promise that you are not going to let it leave this room. This has got to stay a secret between the two of us." Jennifer told her, putting her hand out.

Shaking her hand, Olivia smiled. "Yeah, I promise. Whatever is said in this room, stays in this room."

"Ok, then." Standing up, Jennifer walked over to one of her suitcases and grabbed a magazine. Throwing the book onto the bed, she asked, "does the girl on the cover look familiar to you?"

"Of course. That's Jennifer Phillips. Her music is tight" Olivia said, bragging.

"Well since we have that established, do you see anything else, airhead?" Erik asked, smartly.

"Shut up, baldy." Looking down at the book, she shook her head. "I honestly don't know what you're talking about. What are you trying to tell me Stacy?"

Holding the magazine up to her face, she said, "Now?"

Looking between the two, Olivia's mouth formed a little O as she gasped. "Oh my potty mouth, it's you. You're Jennifer Phillips. DAMN!!!" she yelled.

"Shhh. You can't tell anyone. It's our secret." Jennifer told her.

"But why are you here? I mean, here at CU. You're bound to get caught."

"Well, you didn't know it was me."

"I really wasn't paying attention. With time, I would have figured it out." Olivia said.

"Yeah whatever." Jennifer told her, laughing.

"So, why are you here?"

"I needed a break from the media. I was tired of all the paparazzi and flashes. I was done with my tour and I was done with making albums for right now. So they finally decided to give me a break. I figured since I have time on my hands, I should get some schooling in. I never really got a chance to go to school."

"Why do you need education? You have your career."

Running her hand through her hair, Jennifer shook her head. "Yeah, but what happens if I crash and burn. I won't have anything to fall back on."

"True, but you could always just find an old geezer and mooch off him. That's what Anna Nicole did."

"Eww, gross. That's not my style, girl." Jennifer said, laughing. Olivia bursted into laughter as well, falling back onto Jennifer's bed.

"Girl, I have a feeling this is going to be one kick ass year."

"You got that right" Jennifer said, falling back as well with her head beside Olivia's. The two girls began laughing hysterically.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hearing a voice down the hall, he began toward it. "Hello?" he yelled.

"Is someone there?" Trish yelled.

"Yeah, where are you?" he asked.

"That little prick locked me in here." she yelled through the door. Grabbing his keys from his pocked, he unlocked the door.

As the door opened, Trish looked at the figure before her and swore underneath her breath.

"Is that really you? Or is this darkness playing games with me?"

"No, it's me. Or at least I think it's me."

"Man, I can't believe this. AJ McLean is before me." she said, more to herself than anyone else.

"No big deal, but what I would like to know is why you were locked in here in the first place?" he asked, walking past her into the room.

Sitting down on the sofa, he watched as she sat down beside him.

"That little blonde-headed punk kidnapped me and threw me in here. Wait until I get the bitch. He'll wish he never met me." she mumbled.

Laughing, AJ asked, "Why'd he put you in here? Did you do something to him?"

"Well, he asked about my friend Jen and then, I was going to call her and ask her out for him but he grabbed the phone. I chased after him and then, he locked me in this room."

AJ shook his head and began to laugh lightly. "Do you find that humorous?" Trish asked, offended.

"Actually yes I do." he told her, standing up. "You'll learn around here. Nick does things like that all the time. It just shows that he likes you." he told her, smiling.

Looking at AJ, she smiled. "Yeah, I guess, but he'll get payback."

"Well, I gotta get going. I have somewhere I have to be but it was good meeting you. I'm sure we'll meet again." he laughed. Standing up, Trish walked over to him. Extending her hand, they shook.

"Good meeting you. By the way, you're a hottie." she told him, laughing.

"I know. That's what everyone says." he joked. Trish slapped his chest. "Aren't you conceited."

"Yep, that I am." Turning, he walked away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jennifer's Thoughts

Man, I can't believe how my life is turning out. Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys called me and asked me to chill with him. I mean, me. Little ol' me. Can you believe that? What am I going to wear? Man, I need Trish right now. She'll probably help get Nick ready. Who am I going to get? I can't do it myself. That's just uncalled for. LOL. I'm a diva. None the less. I shouldn't have to do it myself. Yeah right. Who am I fooling? It's me. A diva? Ha! I just can't believe that I will be hanging out with Nick tonight. This is like my dream. Ever since I was 15, I fell in love with that boy. Trish always said I was little strange but one day I sat down and watched him on Rosie O'Donnell, I think it was. Something steered within me and I knew right then and there that he was the one I would be with. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully sparks will fly. We'll see. LOL.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trish's Thoughts

That boy is going down. I mean it. By the end of this tour, he will be dead. He locked me in a room. How could he? Does he know who I am? I am Trish, the almighty. LOL. The sex symbol. HaHaHa. I now know what Jen was talking about when she proclaimed he was the hottest man alive. He's cute. But he has that puppy dog face. Nothing serious to him. Now AJ. He's another story. That man will be mine. Jen can have Nick and I will have AJ. I think Jen told me he had a girlfriend. Some girl by the name of Sarah but who knows. I don't care. There is no ring on his finger. Until there is I am going to pursue him. Man, he shaved his goatee off. I just wanted to grab his face and suck every ounce of life out of those lips. That sounds obsessive. LOL. Oh well. He will be mine. That I know.
Chapter 4: The Big Night by JenniferKaos

"How does this look?" Jennifer asked Olivia, modeling in front of her full length mirror.

"You look hot" Olivia told her, laughing. "I like it."

"I need to look hot for tonight. I mean, can you believe that I'm meeting up with Nick Carter?"

Bringing her mascara stick up to her eyelashes, Olivia said, "Haven't you met him before? I mean, don't you celebrities run into each other all the time. I thought all of you would end up in the same spots every night."

Shaking her head, Jennifer squirted gel into her hand. "Hell nah. If we did, don't you think we would be together right now." she joked.

The sound of a knock broke the two girls' conversation.

"Who is that?" Jennifer asked, confused.

"I don't know but I'm going to answer it." Olivia said, standing from her chair and walking toward the door.

Jennifer ran her fingers through her hair, placing each piece of hair where it should be. "Why can't I ever get my hair to do what I want it to?" she said to herself.

"Hi. Is this Stacy Martin's room?"

Turning around, Jennifer's eyes came upon a pair of familiar blue ones. Smiling, Jennifer ran toward them.

"Oh my god, Trish? What are you doing here?" she asked, excitedly.

"Nick told me all about your little date tonight. I thought maybe you needed help getting ready." she said, extending her arms out. Jennifer hugged her.

"Tell me all about him. What is he like? Is he hotter in person?"

"Girl, I have so much to tell you. But first let's get you ready." Trish told her, looking her over.

"Before we do that, Trish, this is my roommate Olivia. Olivia, this is my best friend, Trish Cabrillo. She's my stylist for everything." Jennifer told her, introducing the two.

Shaking her hand, Olivia said, "It's nice to meet you."

"Same to you" Trish told her, smiling.

"Trish, you look da bomb." Jen said, looking her over. Trish had a pair of brown dress pants with a matching vest. A tiny pair of gloves fit her hands and a pink hat topped her head.

With a confused face, Trish laughed. "Da bomb? Are we still in 3rd grade?"

"Oh, shut up. Like you don't use lame phrases too." Jennifer told her.

"Just sit down" Trish said, grabbing Jennifer's familiar make-up bag. "So, what are you going for tonight? Cute and innocent? Mysterious? Hot damn style?" Trish laughed.

"Hmm...I definitely don't want cute and innocent. We don't want him looking at me like some kid. Let's do Hot Damn Style."

"Okie dokie. Let's see what we can do." Trish told her beginning her work.

"Erik stopped by" Jen told her.

"You mean, he's already showed his bald head here. That boy can't go anywhere without you."

"Be nice. He'll be back anytime now. He just went out to get himself something to eat."

"Great. I knew I should have met you at the club."

"Just get along with him for one night." Jen said, looking up at her.

Running the sponge across Jennifer's chin, Trish said, "He's not my friend, therefore I don't have to be nice. He's never nice to me."

"Give me one good reason why you don't like him. Wait don't answer that." she said, as the door opened.

"Don't you knock?" Trish yelled, watching as Erik walked through the door.

"Man, you're here. I thought this campus was whore free."

Trish picked up one of Jen's brushes and threw it at him. Erik ducked as it crashed on the floor.

"You missed, hoe."

"You little shit, you best shut your mouth." Trish told him, raising her eyebrows as a warning.

Walking over to Jen, he bent over to hug her and placed a light kiss on her cheek.

"I got you a Chicken Teriyaki Sub" he told her. Looking over at Olivia, he said, "I didn't know what you liked, so I got you a ham sub. Is that ok?"

Smiling, she said, "Yeah that's fine. Thank you. You didn't have to do that."

"Well, that's what I do." he said, laughing, as he placed the bag on the desk. Looking at Trish, he said, "I think there are some scraps out at the dumpster. I left them there for you."

"Aww, thanks, Erik. You really didn't have to do that." she said, sarcastically.

"Erik, be nice." Jen said, looking behind her.

Sitting down on Jen's bed, he unwrapped his sub.

"You're eyes are dark." Trish said, laughing.

"Don't make her look like a hoe" Erik told her. "I'm sure Nick has taste unlike the guys you date."

"Jen, you have no idea how hard it is trying to control my anger." Trish said, looking down at her.

"I know. Just cool it. We're leaving soon."

The phone rang and Olivia answered it. "Hello? Yeah, hold on."

Holding the phone up, Olivia said, "It's CJ. Who is CJ?"

"That's what I would like to know." Trish laughed.

"Shit" Jennifer said, standing up. "I was supposed to go to a party tonight with him. What do I do?"

"Just play sick." Trish told her.

"No, don't do that. It never works." Erik told her, with his mouth full

"Sure it does, but Jen, it's your call" Olivia told her.

Walking over to the phone, she placed it to her ear. "This is Stacy." she stated.

"Hey, Stacy. I wanted to give you and call to let you know that I'm going to be a little late tonight." he told her. "I didn't want you to think that I stood you up or anything."

Not knowing what else to say, Jen said, "Oh, that's ok. Thanks for calling but I'm not going to be able to make it. My mother just called earlier and told me that my dog died."

Erik choked out a laugh as Olivia hushed him.

"Your dog died? I'm so sorry." he said, sympathetically.

"Thank you. It's really rough right now." she told him, faking sadness. "Maybe some other time. When it doesn't hurt so bad."

Erik brought a pillow up to his face, burying his laughter.

"Yeah. Some other time." he told her. "Well, I'll let you go. Talk to you later."

They hung up and everyone in the room laughed.

"What?" Jennifer asked.

"Your dog died, Jen? You don't even have a dog." Trish pointed out.

"He doesn't know that and plus I didn't know what else to say."

"Jen, get over here. Let's get you ready." Trish demanded, beginning the rest of her work on Jen.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The group of friends walked into the club, laughing.

"I can't believe the bouncer didn't know who I am" Erik yelled over the music.

Pushing him lightly, Olivia said, "Get over it. You're not all that well-known."

Grabbing her hand, he pulled her away from the group. "Let's see what kind of moves you have." he said.

Laughing, she followed him into the crowd.

Looking at Trish, Jennifer asked, "Do you think those two will hook up?"

"Probably, but I feel sorry for the girl. Erik is nasty."

Jennifer laughed. "Cool it for one night, Trish. I wonder where Nick is."

Looking around, Trish spotted him. Nudging Jennifer in the arm. She pointed up towards a balcony and Jennifer's gaze followed. Nick was standing with his back towards them.

Jennifer's heart quickened and her gut instinct was to turn and run. Trish looked over at her best friend and notice her face turn white.

"What's wrong?" Trish asked, concerned.

"Trish, I can't go up there. I feel like I'm going to be sick." she said, turning toward the opposite direction towards the bathroom. Trish grabbed her arm.

"Jen, you can do this. It's just Nick. Just another guy."

"Yeah, it's ok for you. You don't like him. He's everything to me."

"Jen, get over it. Go up there. He asked you here. You know he likes you or he wouldn't have asked." she yelled.

"You're coming with me." Jen said, grabbing Trish's hand, as they guided their way through the crowd.

Approaching the stairs, Jen stopped.

"Wait, Trish Do I look ok?" she asked, looking at Trish, smoothing some wrinkles in her shirt.

"Jen, you're gorgeous. Now get up there. I'll follow."

"Uh no. You're leading." Jen said, pushing her in front of her. Trish couldn't do anything but laugh, as she made her way up the stairway.

Jennifer's heart began beating faster and faster each step she went. It almost felt as if it would fall out at anytime. Her hand was sweating and trembling at the same time. She kept wiping it on her jeans, so in case Nick shook her hand he wouldn't be grossed out. They were almost on the last step when a snap was sound. Jennifer fell forward bringing Trish with her.

"Ow." Jennifer said, grabbing her ankle.

"Are you ok?" she heard all around her. Waving everyone off, Jennifer stood up, as Trish did the same.

"What happened?" Trish asked, smoothing her pants.

"I fell"

"I guess so. I did the same as you pulled me with you." Trish told her. Looking down, Jennifer groaned.

"Damnit." she said, raising her foot. "I broke my heel. These were my favorite shoes too." she whined.

"Should be more careful." Trish stated.

"Shut up. Whoever heard of holes in a stairs."

"Whoever heard of wearing high heels to a club. You can't dance in those things."

"Well, I'm not dancing anyways. I don't dance. Man, what am I going to do? I'm lopsided." she said, putting her foot down.

"Break the other heel." Taking her shoe off, she grasped the heel. Pulling as hard as she could, she tried to break the heel.

"It's not working." Jennifer said, struggling with her shoe.

"Here. Let me see it." Trish told her, grabbing the shoe from her hand.

"These are cute shoes. Where'd you get them?"

"Gucci or Armani or something like that."

Breaking the heel, she handed it back to her. Jennifer placed the shoe back on. "Now, I look short."

"Yeah you do." Trish joked, waving a hand over Jennifer's head.

"Just walk, Trish."

They walked up behind Nick as Trish pulled him into a headlock.

"Hey. Who is this?" Nick yelled. Trish released him as he looked at her. "Hey, girl. I didn't know you were coming tonight."

"Jen made me" she said, looking at Jen. Nick looked at the girl beside Trish.

"Well, hello" he said, sweetly as he extended his hand. Jennifer brought her trembling hand up to his and shook his hand.

"Hi" she mumbled.

Trish stepped on Jennifer's foot.

"Well, I'll let you two get to know each other." Trish said, turning and walking away before Jennifer could say anything.

"So, we finally meet." Nick said, laughing lightly.

"Yep." was all that she said.

"Hey, let's go over here." he told her, taking her hand. A gasp left Jennifer's mouth as his hand connected with her's.

Jennifer's cheeks turned to red. "Are you ok?" he asked.

Shaking out of her trance, she said, "Yeah I'm fine. Just a little nervous, but let's go."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Trish moved her way through the crowd, shaking her booty on anything near. Feeling a hand on her arm, she turned around and came in contact with a pair of brown eyes.

Laughing, she said, "You again."

"Yep. I thought I would come down here and show some support for my boy." AJ told her. "So, have they met yet?"

"Yeah. Jen freaked out."

"Nick freaked out before he got here. He almost called her back to let her know he wouldn't make it."

"I'm glad he didn't. Jennifer would have been devastated."

"I know. That's why I convinced him not to." A pause entered their conversation. They both noticed they weren't dancing anymore.

"So, do you want to dance or would you like to go somewhere and talk?" AJ asked, bringing his hand to hers. Feeling a few butterflies enter her stomach, she smiled.

"Whatever you want to do. I'm game for anything." she said.

Tugging her hand, he said, "Let's get out of here." Trish followed him out of the club.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bringing her arm up behind her and around Erik's neck, Olivia grinded her booty into Erik's lower half. Hearing him moan lightly, she smiled.

He placed his hands on the small of her waist, bringing it around to rub her stomach lightly.

Lowering his lips to her ear, he whispered, "Do you want to get out of here?"

Without a word, she turned and grabbed his hand, leading him out of the club. Walking towards the car, he grabbed her pushing her against the car. Standing in front of her, he looked down at her. Bringing her hand up to his face, she pulled him down to her. His lips crushed hers as his hand ran through her hair.

Olivia backed her head away from his. "Wanna go in there?" she asked, motioning towards the car.

Smiling, he nodded his head. "You are so beautiful." he told her, as she pulled him into the car.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"So, you and Marcus Leonard broke up?" Nick asked, taking a sip from his glass.

"Yeah, that would be correct." Jennifer said, sadly.

"I'm sorry. I don't want to bring up anything."

"No. That's ok. He was a jerk anyways. He was so lazy when it came to our relationship. He never wanted to go out and hang. We were continuously staying in and that caused loads of fights between us." she told him.

"How long were you two together?"

"A week from four months."

Nodding his head, he said, "Well, he wasn't worth it. Yeah, you should stay at home but there is always time to go out and have fun."

Laughing, Jennifer said, "Exactly. I mean, don't get me wrong. I like staying in every now and then, but you have to go out sometimes."

"You'll find your match. Someone who will love taking you out and staying at home. Until then, how about another drink?" he asked.

Jennifer smiled. "I'd love another drink."

"I'll be back" he told her, standing up. Jennifer nodded. She looked around the club and didn't recognize anyone.

"Where is everyone?" Jennifer thought to herself.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Now, see this is a little more quiet." AJ told Trish, as he pulled out her chair.

"I don't think I've ever been to this place." she told him, crossing her legs. Looking down to the menu, she ran her finger down each row.

"I come here all the time. Sometimes just to think. The food is really good."

"Yeah, everything looks great." she said, as a waiter came to the table.

"How are you folks doing tonight?"

"We're good." AJ said, smiling.

"What can I get you to drink this evening?"

"Give me a Coke" he told him.

"I'll take a lemonade." Trish said. Turning, the waiter walked away.

"So, you're Jen's stylist. You do such a great job on her. She always looks so great."

"Well, I'm not totally the blame. I mean, Jen has style and sometimes we argue over her fashion sense. The girl can dress." Trish told him.

"Yeah she can but so can you." he told her, looking her over. Trish looked down at the table, shyly.

"I try my best. What can I say? That's the reason why I got into this business. I love fashion. I love make-up. I love looking good. Thankfully this job allowed me and Jen to stay near each other, so we could stay best friends."

"You two are close."

"Jen's my girl. I honestly don't know what I would do without her. She's gotten me through some hard times. That's for sure."

"How long have you two known each other?"

"Since Junior High."

"Damn, that's a long time."

Trish nodded as the waiter came back with their drinks. Placing the drinks in front of the two, the waiter asked, "So, have you two decided on what you would like this evening?"

"Yes, I think we have. I'll have this" he told the waiter, pointing to the picture of the steak.

"And you miss?"

"I'll have the Chicken Tenders."

"Ok. I'll be back with your orders."

Taking a sip of her drink, Trish said, "So, tell me, AJ. Why aren't you still with Sarah?" Trish took a sip from her glass.

AJ choked a little on his drink at the mention of Sarah's name. "Um...we broke up."

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

"A good and bad thing. I mean, I love her but we were just going in two different directions. She's an aspiring singer and I'm not sure where I'm at. We just needed to lead other paths."

"But you're still friends, right?"

"Oh yeah. We still talk and things."

"It's probably for the best. Sometimes two people are better as friends than lovers."

AJ nodded his head.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"So, do you want to get out of here?" Nick asked, motioning towards the entrance.

"If that's what you want." she told him, giggling a little. She had had a little too much to drink and she knew it.

"How about I help you get home?" he asked, smiling.

Jennifer didn't say anything. Nick took Jennifer's hand and helped her up out of her seat.

"Let's get you home. Where do you call home? I think Trish mentioned CU, right?"

Jennifer stood up and felt the world spin from underneath her. Instantly, she grabbed the table.

"Nick, make the room stop spinning." she said, feeling a little nervous in her stomach. They made their way down the stairs and towards the entrance.

Walking out of the club, they came in contact with tons of people. Flashes of lights surrounded the couple, as Nick tried to push past them.

"Nick, is that you?" some screamed.

"Oh my god! Is that Jennifer Phillips?" others said. Pulling her towards him, he helped her to the car while shielding the two from the crowd.

Opening the door, he guided her into his SUV.

"Watch your head." he said, as she smacked her head on the roof.

"Ow." she said, bringing her hand to her head.

"I said watch your head. Are you ok?" he asked.

"Yeah, I think. I just don't feel good." Jennifer told him, placing her hand on her stomach. Nick said nothing but shut the door, running to the driver side. Getting into the car, he began for the college.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Walking up to the door, AJ turned to Trish. "I'm glad you came tonight. I really had a great time."

"Yeah, me too. We should do it again."

"Yeah we should. Um...can I have your number?" he asked. Smiling, Trish retrieved some paper from her purse. Grabbing a napkin and a pen, she wrote her digits.

"Don't worry. It's clean." she told him, seeing his expression.

"I was kidding." he told her, touching her hand. Looking down at it, Trish stepped closer.

"I really did have a good time tonight. Please tell me this won't be the last time." she whispered.

"It won't. I promise. " he said, as he placed a light kiss on her lips.

The feel of his lips felt so perfect against Trish's. She grabbed a hold of the wall because she thought for sure she would lose her balance if she didn't.

"Man, I don't know what happened there." she said, feeling embarrassed.

"Did your knees get weak?" he asked. Trish nodded her head.

"Yeah, they did."

"Mine too. We should do this again." he said, bringing his hand to cup her cheek. Leaning down, he claimed Trish's lips once again.

Trish backed away from the kiss and smiled, shyly. Looking toward the door, she asked, "Do you want to come in?"

Looking up at the house, he shook his head. "I think I better go. If I walk into that house, we both know what will happen and I don't want this to be a one time thing."

Turning, he walked away. "I'll call you."

Trish nodded and turned, entering the house.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pulling up to the front of the campus, Nick got out of the SUV, running to Jen's side. He helped her out of the car.

Taking his hand, Jen led him into the dorm up to her room.

"This is my room." she said, as they stopped in front of the room.

"Not bad. I guess I'm going to go now." he said, turning. She grabbed his arm.

"Don't go. Come inside."

"I better go. Wouldn't want any fans seeing me?" he laughed.

"True. Ok. You go. It was good chilling with you."

"Same to you." he said, bending down to kiss her cheek. "Give me your number and we'll do this again." Reaching for a piece of paper and pen, she wrote her number down. "Here you go and you better call."

"I will." he told her, shoving the number into his pocket. Turning, he walked away and Jennifer went into her room.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8289