Choices by Nikki P
Summary: One bad mistake is all it takes to change a person's, or this case 2 people's lives forever. Is forgiving and forgetting really that easy? Later down the road they're faced with that very question. Can one forgive himself? Can the other forgive who hurt and tore her life apart? What happens when fate reunites them in the most unusual circumstances?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Group, Other
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 15214 Read: 33666 Published: 05/21/07 Updated: 11/14/07

1. Prologue by Nikki P

2. Chapter 1 by Nikki P

3. Chapter 2 by Nikki P

4. Chapter 3 by Nikki P

5. Chapter 4 by Nikki P

6. Chapter 5 by Nikki P

7. Chapter 6 by Nikki P

8. Chapter 7 by Nikki P

9. Chapter 8 by Nikki P

10. Chapter 9 by Nikki P

11. Chapter 10 by Nikki P

12. Chapter 11 by Nikki P

13. Chapter 12 by Nikki P

14. Chapter 13 by Nikki P

15. Chapter 14 by Nikki P

16. Chapter 15 by Nikki P

17. Chapter 16 by Nikki P

18. Chapter 18 by Nikki P

Prologue by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
This is my first attempt at writing fan fiction. Please give me feedback!!! If you don't like it please give constructive criticism so I can make it better :-)
Happy reading!
Radio- "It’s midnight do you know where your kids are?"

“Oh shut up you stupid thing! Where’s the music?” the man slurred searching for the dial in the dark.

~moments later~
She could hear the faint sound of sirens in the distance as she drifted into a darkened state.

A horrible car accident had taken place. Time seemed to have stopped for the small town. The paramedics, fire department, and police all arrived to the scene. Two of the paramedics made their way quickly over to the smashed up Honda Civic along with a team of firemen.

The police quickly apprehended the driver of the BMW and ran him through a series of sobriety tests. He hadn’t had a single scratch on him.

While this was taking place, firefighters were avidly trying to get to the driver out of the other car. They had to use the Jaws of Life to get her out. Once she was out she placed on a stretcher and in to the waiting ambulance.

The other driver was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol.

While on the way to the hospital the young girl went into cardiac arrest…
Chapter 1 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Some swearing but not much...Thanks for the reviews so far!
It was the first day of Erin Richard’s junior year at King High School. In her first 2 years at King she quickly became one of the best athletes in her class. She played on the varsity volleyball, basketball, and soccer teams since she was a freshman.

“Hey Erin!” shouted Lindsey, who is her teammate in both volleyball and basketball.

“Hey” she replied.

“So I walked into our first official volleyball practice and you weren’t there.”

“And your point Lindsey”

“WHY weren’t you there? Hell WHY HAVEN’T you been there at all??” Lindsey practically shouted, quickly gaining the attention of everyone in the hallway.

“Because…I ca…I can’t” she whispered on the brink of tears.

“Oh that’s the biggest bunch of bull I’ve EVER hear! Of course you can play; you’re like the best player on our team for cryin’ out loud! So really tell me why…”

“I haven’t been cleared for any physical activity yet. Hopefully by basketball I’ll be able to play, but now I just can’t.”

“What’s wrong? You hate the coach? Our teammates? Me? Yep that’s the reason right there! You hate me!” she said as she pretended to cry.

“You’re so stupid sometimes you know that right?” Erin said laughing.

“But seriously though…Are…YOU…ok? What happened this summer?” Lindsey said seriously.

~*Warning Bell Rings*~

“What lunch do you have?”

“First.”

“I’ll explain it to you then, k?”

“Meet me by Old Oakey”

“Alright” Erin said rolling her eyes, she hates that tree.

~* Late bell rings*~

“Shit I’m late for class!!” Erin shouted to herself as she ran cross campus to her class.
‘What a way to start the day...’ she thought ‘great. Just Great’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ Later at Lunch ~

“Alright spill. What went down while I was on foreign soil?” Lindsey interrogated the very second she saw Erin.

“Well hi to you too. Jeez no how’s your day been so far?”

“I want you to tell me before you think of some excuse as to not tell me.” Lindsey said bluntly.

“I don’t come up with excuses!”

“Umm yea you do…But ANYWAYS tell me about your summer?”

“My soccer team made it to state, but we lost in the semis. Summer school PE sucked major ass. I nearly died in a car accident. Basketball was pretty good. JV coach held practice one day and we spent like half of it in outside doing nothing cos it was so fucking hot! I spent 2 weeks in the hospital. Missed that volleyball camp we usually go to. Yep that’s bout it.” Erin said in one breath.

“YOU WERE WHAT?????”

“How was your summer?” Erin said smiling.

“OH NO DON’T YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT CHANGING THE SUBJECT! Now rewind and explain again.” She demanded.

“Explain what?” *Gives confused look*

“About the car accident, hospital, nearly dying…”

“You know how over the summer we always go to the scrimmages up at the university and get in some basketball games?”

“Yea what does that have to do with it?”

“Well our third game ran real late we didn’t get out till about 11pm. My parents didn’t go, shocking I know, cos they had some ‘adult thing’ to do. I got dropped off her close to midnight cos we stopped to get food on the way back…”

“What does that have to do with anything?? And your parents didn’t go, wow that’s a first!”

“Let me finish for cryin out loud! I know really, but they really blame themselves for what happened. ANYWAYS, I picked up my car and was driving home. I was going through that intersection over by Safeway and some stupid ass fucking drunk driver hits me.”

Lindsey grabs her in a huge hug, and asks “Oh my god, you ok? Was the asshole hurt at all?”

“No he wasn’t. Hell I don’t even know who he is. I’m ok now though, well sort of.”

“What do you mean?”

“I can’t play any sport, dance or real physical activity for awhile because I guess my heart just isn’t up for it. My parents and doctor told me that I nearly died on the way to the hospital cos my heart stopped, and that I was fortunate that they got it started again. But…”

“Well that’s good cos I don’t know what I’d do if you weren’t around! But? But what? ”

“…it stopped again once I got to the hospital.” As Erin started to cry Lindsey pulled her into a tight hug. “They almost couldn’t get it started again. I almost died, Linds. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital just so they could monitor my heart and really make sure that I would be alright. I think they said it was under a lot of stress or something like that.”

“Wow…I’m so glad that you’re alright!”

“Me too. My parents blame themselves for it though, and they don’t want me driving even though I was being safe that night. They only want me to be in a car with them and no one else. That’s how bad it is. Hell even my own Aunt can’t drive me to the mall or to wherever!”

“Really?”

“Yea they keep saying that if they should never have went to the thing that night, but my games instead. I hope I get cleared in time for conditioning.”

“Yea I know it wouldn’t be basketball without you!! I’m barely surviving volleyball now! Imagine me going through 2 seasons with out my partner in crime! AGH! The horror, the horror!” * Both girls laugh*

“I’m sure you’re doing fine! Just remember…”

“To stay low to the ground, but not too low. I know I know!”

~* Bell rings to signal lunch is over *~

“Well Erin I guess I’ll see you later. I got practice after school.”

“Ok. Call me after or whenever you can.”

“Okie Doke Artichoke! I’m really glad you’re ok”
Chapter 2 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took me awhile to get this chapter up. Hope you enjoy.
“It feels good to be out of rehab mom. It really does.”

“I know that dear. I’m so proud of you for seeking help.” She smiled gingerly.

“Please don’t say that” he begged.

“Don’t say what?”

“That you’re proud of me. I didn’t do anything to make you proud of me.”

“Yes you did! You knew you had a problem and you sought help so you can get better”

“I NEARLY KILLED SOMEONE MOM! HOW DOES THAT MAKE YOU proud?”

“Mister DON’T YOU DARE raise your voice at me!” she said sternly.

“Answer my question mom.”

“I’m proud of you because you saw what was happening to you on that path and you knew you needed to change the way you lived your life.”

“But I feel like shit about it. Like it wasn’t really my decision, you know? It just feels like the guilt is what brought me here.” *points around to what is outside of the car* “I don’t even really feel like it was me that wanted it.”

“Well don’t you want to be happy and not have to depend on drugs or alcohol to take you away from whatever it is you feel you needed to runaway from?”

“Yea I do…its just….well I don’t really know how to explain it. It just doesn’t make a damn bit of fuckin’ sense to me!”

“I’m sure somewhere inside you it does.”

“Thanks mom.”

The rest of their car ride to the Phoenix Airport was silent.

~ 2 hours later they arrive at the airport ~

“I hate airports”

“Because you spend so much time in them?”

“No because they are so crowed and everyone has their own agenda, and they don’t bother to look where they’re going. Not to mention people can be REALLY rude!”

After checking in at the desk they went through the security check point. After it took them 20 minutes to go through, they went over and checked the departure schedule to find their gate.

Departures:
Flight 687 to Orlando Gate A 21 Status On-Time

They stopped to grab a snack to take with them before venturing on towards their gate. Once there they saw that very few seats were open and none of them were together. So they sat in the practically empty gate across from theirs.

“Maybe rehab was a nice break for you.”

“Yea but now its time to get back to the bump and grind of work” he groaned.

“Oh you know you love it! I know you’re happy to see your friends again. I’m happy that they’ve been really supportive of you.”

“Yea they have and they aren’t the only ones.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well one group sent me this huge ass jar of yellow jelly beans. I think they said that there was somewhere close to 1,965 beans in there. One bean for every fan that sponsored one on their website. Reason: they heard I love the yellow ones. Hehe. Another group sent me Lord knows how many messages from fans. Some were long and personal, and others were rather short. I didn’t read them all though, but they pretty much had a centralized theme.”

“That’s really sweet. I’m really glad that your fans have been very supportive of you. You know the main reason why is because you all came out with it rather than trying to cover it up.”

“Yea but we couldn’t cover it up even if we tried, cos we were in the midst of a tour. Not saying of course that we were going to try and do that in the first place.”

“I never said you guys would have.”

“Ladies and gentlemen we will begin the boarding process for flight 687 with service to Orlando momentarily at gate A 22” The lady at the gate said.

~ 5 minutes later ~

“We will now board our first class passengers and out gold members.”

“Mom that’s us...”

They boarded the plane and got settled in.

“Man I really hate planes….”

“Will you stop being such a baby! My god you’d think you’ve never flown before!” She teased her son.

“Mooooommm….” He whined.

~ 20 minutes later ~

The cabin doors were shut and he had already downed 2 Coca-Colas. The flight attendants did the usual routine about seatbelts, air masks, exits. All the things that frequent flyers are so used to they could say it in their sleep.

Finally the captain announced that they were next for take off.

He was on his way back to reality now. The hard cruel world that he was sheltered from for that brief time. He sat there thinking about the things management would say to him. How his friends and fellow band members were going to react. Yea he had the support of his fans, but how would they be when they see him at shows. He was becoming anxious by the second. His mind then wondered to that girl he nearly killed. He wondered how she was doing and if she were alright. He was a nervous wreck about it to say the least.

Once they reached their cruising altitude he reclined back, stuck his head phones on, and tried to sleep his nervousness away.

Sitting next to him watching him, was his mother. She could sense that he was nervous. Hell she was nervous for him. She prayed to God that he would remain sober and clean, and that temptation would arise. But for now she would relax and enjoy their peaceful flight home.
Chapter 3 by Nikki P
~After school~

“Hi honey! How was your first day?” said Mrs. Richards in a rather chirpy voice. Erin cringed.

“Mom,” she whined “why do you have to pick me up right here? Everyone’s going see and think that I’m some type of baby!”

“Erin” her mother warned “we already had this discussion. Besides no one will think that you’re a baby. And I’m not picking you anywhere else. Especially if something happens to you. Please sit up”

“Nothing will happen to me mom. You know I always cross the street safe and there are crossing guards”

“How can you say it won’t happen to you when you nearly lost your life?!” her mother yelled.

“IT WASN’T MY FAULT AND YOU KNOW IT!”

“WELL YOU COULD’VE…”

“WHAT MOM? LOOKED MORE CAREFULLY?!?! I HAD THE GREEN LIGHT AND NO CARS WERE OUT. HE CAME OUT OF NO WHERE”

“Don’t raise your voice at me young lady or you’re grounded!”

“Grounded? You’ve got to be kidding me! I’m already grounded! I can’t go to the mall and hang with friends or see a movie, why? Because it isn’t safe honey. I can’t go to the movies because it’s too dark. I can’t drive anywhere because it isn’t safe!” She said in a mocking tone. “Let’s face it I’m grounded from everything! Why don’t you just lock me in a bubble?”

With that Erin jumped out of the car and slammed the door shut. She headed inside her house.

“Hi sweet...”started Mr. Richards before turning to his wife. “Emily what’s wrong with her? Did she have a bad day at school?”

“No.” she said sighing. “We got into an argument on the way home. She said that we should put her in a bubble. She thinks that we are babying her.”
“Well it’s understandable. Her life has changed dramatically since the accident”

“I know Shawn. I just wished she understood that.”

Erin sat there on the steps listening to her parents talk about her as if she had suffered major injuries that left her incapable to do anything for herself. ‘I hate this’ she thought and sat silently crying. ‘I wish that they wouldn’t treat me like a baby’

She got up from her post and went into her room locking the door behind her. She started to cry and wondered what the asshole who did this to her was doing. Though it didn’t help that she didn’t know his name. She wanted to make him pay right now. Not for nearly killing her, but for making her life afterwards a living hell.

~ A few hours later ~

Shawn knocked on Erin’s door. “Sweetie? It’s time for dinner.”

“I’m not hungry!” was the answer he received.

“You need to eat something.”

“I’m NOT hungry.”

“Erin Elisabeth Richards! Open up this door NOW! You will come down and eat dinner with us!” he demanded.

“No! I’m not hungry and I just want to be by myself! Is that so hard to ask?”

“I mean it Erin. If you aren’t out here in 1 minute…”

“You’ll what? Ground me?! I already am!”

“Fine suit yourself.” He said dissatisfied and walked away.

That was it. That was the last straw. She was fed up with her parents. She wanted to get away. She needed to get out. She went into her closet and grabbed out her duffel bag. She emptied out her backpack and went over to her drawers and started packing some clothes, and other necessary items she’d need. She walked over to her computer and went to book a bus ticket to Florida. She knew she could go and stay at her cousin’s house. Her cousin Lily lived a 4 hour drive away from her in Tampa. Once her bags were packed and her ticket booked, she started to plan her ‘escape’. She’d tell her mom that she found a bunch of Lindsey’s stuff in her room and wanted to bring it to her plus a few things that she knew she ‘wanted’ to borrow to explain the duffle bag.

Then she thought of a better scheme. Erin text Lindsey to call her house and have her ask whoever answers the phone to remind her to bring the clothes with her to school and she’d explain later.

A few minutes later she heard the phone ring, then her mother came the stairs.
“Erin”

“Yea mom?”

“Lindsey called for you. She said not to forget to bring her clothes to her tomorrow.”

“Oh ok thanks I will.”

“I didn’t know you two still shared clothes. I swear you’re practically like sisters” Her mother said walking away.

Before she shut her computer down to pack it, she wrote a quick email to Lindsey:

Hey Lin-Lin
Thanks for calling. Listen I can’t take my parents bullshit anymore! They are driving me insane! Treating me like I’m a baby. I have to get away for awhile, but don’t worry I’ll be fine. I can’t tell you where I’ll be but I’ll be safe. I’ll see you around and I’ll keep in touch, but you HAVE to promise me that won’t tell my parents when I email you. PLEASE Lin. You have no idea what I’ve been through in the last few months and I just need to get away from it all for my own sanity.
Play hard and remember to bend your knees and stay low to the ground hehe :-)

Love ya babe!
Erin

She clicked send. Then she sent an email to Lily.

Hey Lil!
I need to come stay with you for a while. I can’t stand my parents treating me like a baby since I was in a car accident. I know you’ll let me stay no questions asked. I just need some peace of mind. Please don’t tell mom and dad.
I’m taking the bus in the morning so I should be in about 1 in the afternoon at the Tampa station. Can you please pick me up? Thanks cuz! I’ll see you tomorrow!

Love ya! Erin


With that she went changed into her pajamas, turned off the light and went to bed.
Chapter 4 by Nikki P
Flight attendant: “Ladies and gentlemen as we make our final descent into Orlando, we ask that you return to your seat, fasten your seatbelts, store your tray tables, bring your seat to its full upright position, and make sure any belongings that you brought out during flight are properly stowed away. Flight attendants will make their final rounds to collect garbage shortly. Thank you.”

“Alex, honey it’s time to wake up. We’re almost home.”

Alex mumbled as he turned to look at his smiling mother. “We’re here already?” he said groggily.

“Yes dear.” She chuckled.

“Flight attendants please prepare for landing.” announced the pilot.

~2 minutes later ~

“Ladies and gentlemen welcome to Orlando International Airport. Local time is 10:23 PM. You may now use cell phones and other electronic devices. Please make sure that you take all your personal belongings with you. You may pick up any checked luggage at carousel B11. Thank you for flying with us. We hope that you join us again.” came a voice over the PA system.

“Come on let’s go get our bags so we can get home.”

“Alrighty then mom, let’s go” Alex said trying to impersonate Jim Carrey.

“I think you’ve been hanging out with Brian too much dear.”

“No never!” *they both laugh*

“I’ll get our bags and you go get the…*look of confusion* how are we getting home?” he asked a bit puzzled. “You said someone drove you to the airport.”

“Which means someone is picking us up.” she smiled at him.

“Who?” he asked like a little anxious child.

“You’ll see soon enough” She could tell by his frown that he didn’t like her answer, but she knew he’d love the surprise.

“Alex! Denise! Over here!” called a young man in his twenties.

“Very slick dear. I hope they don’t catch on to us.” Denise said with a smart alleck tone.

“Howie?”

“It’s good to see you J! How’ve you been?” Howie said as he enveloped Alex into a huge bear hug.

“I’d be a lot better if I could breathe” Alex chocked out.

“Oops! Sorry man. Just glad to have you back. It’s been kind of quiet without ya.”

“Aww you guys missed me! I feel so loved” he said faking a tear.

“Well I don’t know about you too, but I’m tired and I’d like to go home while it’s still today fellas.” said Denise.

“I parked my car out here. Do you guys need any help with your bags?”

“Howie you’re such a sweet heart, but I think we can manage.” she smiled at him.

“You may not need a hand but I do!” Alex exclaimed.

Without saying anything Howie started clapping his hands. Alex shot him an evil glare and Denise just laughed at the two boys.

“What?! You said you needed a hand.” Howie replied devilishly.

“Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny” scowled Alex.

“I thought so.” he said simply. “Here’s my car.” He hit the button on his key ring to disable the alarm. Then he opened the trunk and helped put their bags in. Then he unlocked the doors and climbed into the driver’s seat. Denise climbed into the back to allow the two a chance to catch up, since contact was very limited.

On the drive to Denise’s house (remember Alex has his own house too) she quietly listened to the boys talk about what has been going on since they last saw each other. How it was in rehab. How the other fellas were doing, and all the basic other chit chat. She smiled as she remembered the days way back when they were both small boys goofing off at various auditions. Now here they were grown men before her eyes acting the same way they did then. ‘They never really grow up’ she thought to herself amused.

~ 30 minutes later ~

They arrived at the house. Howie helped unload the car and made sure they got into their house safely.

“I’ll see you guys later. Oh and Alex,” Howie paused, “I’m glad you’re back and ok.”

Alex smiled. “Thanks man. Thanks for the ride. I’ll call ya after I get settled and stuff.”

“Alright. Night.”

“Bye Howie. Thanks for the ride. Drive safe, and please give a quick call so we know you made it safely.” Denise said.

“I’ll be careful, and I’ll call when I get there.” He smiled, she always reminded him of his mother. ‘Funny how they manage to do that.’ He thought as he waved good bye.

Inside the Mclean house 5 minutes later they phone rang.

“He can’t be home that quickly” said a worried Denise out loud. “Hello?” she answered.

“Hi Denise. It’s Nick.”

“Hi hon. what can I do for you?”

“Is Alex still up and awake?”

“I believe so…”

“Can I talk to him?”

“Mom who is it?” asked Alex.

“It’s Nick. He called for you.” She told him before going back to Nick on the line. “Nick, Alex is right here. Don’t keep him up too late now.” she playfully warned.

“I won’t I promise.” He said and made a X over his heart. ‘Like she could see that you dork!’ he thought to himself.

“Hey Nickers! What’s up? I’m not even home for 10 minutes and you’re already calling me. What’d Howie do call you the second he left my house?” he joked.

“No, but I knew what time your flight came in so I timed it.”

“You my friend are such a dork!”

“I know I know” he smiled. “But listen, I’m having a BBQ tomorrow and wanted to invite you and your mom over. The guys will be here and Leigh, and Kris. It wouldn’t be a party without you.” He bribed.

“Yea I don’t see why not. What time?”

“Get here about one.” He said knowing full well he wouldn’t get there till two, which is the time he wanted him there. He silently prayed that rehab didn’t make him a punctual person because then the surprise would be ruined.
Chapter 5 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
This chapter is kind of short compared to what I've been writing because it's only 826 words. I wanted to create a little suspense at the end :-D
The next morning Erin awoke and smiled that today was the day she would gain just an ounce of the freedom that she so desperately wanted back. Not that her parents never cared about where she was, what she was doing, or who she was with because they did. But after the accident everything she was allowed to do she couldn’t do now. Her parents felt much safer knowing that she was them at all times, well except for school of course. She climbed out of bed, pulled on her Captain Jack Sparrow t-shirt along with a pair of jeans. She quickly pulled her semi-long hair into a pony tail and brushed her teeth. On her way out she grabbed her back pack and duffle bag.

“Good morning sweetheart! Did you sleep well?” her father asked.

“Yea. Where’s mom at?”

“She got called into work early. She wasn’t really happy about it though.”

“I can imagine.”

“Are you ready for school?”

“Yep. Are you taking me?”

“Of course! Now Erin I hope you are not planning on playing any sport while you’re at school.” he asked while noticing the duffle bag that she was carrying.

She looked down at her duffle bag. “Oh no these are clothes for Lindsey. I borrowed some from her and I’m taking them back to her.”

“Well I can drop them off at her house after I drop you off.”

“No that’s ok dad she’d be mad at me if I didn’t bring them with me. You know how crazy she is” Erin laughed.

“If you insist.” he said unsure of what she was telling him.

“You know she really can’t complain much to you so I’ll just take them.”

‘Shit! What am I going to do?’ she thought to herself. “Well it’s got mostly her workout clothes in it that she lent me at times I forgot something. She wants to put them in her gym locker at school so she has them. I already washed them cos it’d be wrong to give a person back their clothes and they aren’t even clean.” ‘Damn am I an idiot or what?!’ she thought.

“True. As long as you aren’t lugging them around all day. I suppose.”

“We better get going before I’m late for school.”

Erin had a look of relief that she got past her dad.

“Well let’s go then.”

~ 10 minutes later ~

“Have a good day today honey. I’ll see you after school. Most likely it’ll be me picking you up.” her dad told her.

“Ok dad I’ll try. See you later!” she said before turning around and mumbling to herself “Or not cos I won’t be here”

She stopped and looked at her watch. “It’s 7:30 that gives me about 20 minutes to get to the bus station on time” She quickly made her way towards the back of the school, which would be her best escape route. She was almost there when she looked at saw her father’s black SUV. ‘Shit! What am I going to do now??” she thought to herself. ‘I don’t think he saw me. Maybe I’ll try another route.’

She then made a dash for the west side of campus. She wanted to avoid all major roads at all possible because that would put her at risk of being seen or worse caught. She looked at her watch. It was 7:37, which gave her 13 minutes to make her bus. As she approached the West entrance of campus she did a double take because she thought she saw her mother’s car. ‘Ok now I know I’m being paranoid!’ she thought ‘There’s no possible way that she can be here if she’s at work across town!’ The car started coming closer to where she was. As it came closer she ducked behind a parked car. That’s when she got a better look at the driver in the car. It was her mother. “Shit!” she said out loud.

Then she noticed that her mother was driving further into the parking lot. She quickly headed straight for the nearest side street. She got a few houses down and decided that it was too much work for her to have to carry her duffle bag. She grabbed out a few pair of clothes and shoved them into her backpack making a note as to where she was hiding her bag at so Lindsey could go and get it later. She glanced at her watch. She had 8 minutes to make the bus. If she didn’t make it then surely she’d be caught and would land herself in major trouble. Though she doesn’t know what her parents could do to make her life worse than it already is.

She quickly started running towards the bus station as fast as should. She had to catch that bus she just had to. As she got closer to the bus station a car pulled up along side of her.
Chapter 6 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Woot! I was on a roll tonight! 2 chapters in one night!!!
Enjoy!
“Alex get up! I’ve let you sleep long enough.” came Denise’s voice at his bedroom door.

“But mooom I don’t want to” came his whiney reply.

“Alex if you don’t get up right now we’re going to be late to Nick’s house for his BBQ!”

“That’s not till much later though! It’s 5 AM for crying out loud!”

“It is 8 o’clock in the morning and we’re supposed to be there at one! Don’t forget it’s a 4 hour drive Alex.”

“Shit! I didn’t adjust my watch!”

“Serves you right now get up! And watch your mouth!”

A few minutes later Alex got up sighing and went to take a shower.

Denise smiled as she heard the water turn on. She knew what Nick was planning and couldn’t wait to see his face. “At least the shower should wake him up” she said to herself chuckling.

After his shower he stood inside of his walk-in closet with a towel wrapped around his waist trying to decide on what to wear. He stood there for nearly 20 minutes pondering over his entire wardrobe. He finally decided to just wear a pair of jeans, a black Woodstock t-shirt, and of course a baseball hat.

He bounded down the stairs just before 10.

“I was ready to send in a search party to go look for you.” Denise teased. “It took you 2 hours to get ready”

“Well it takes time to make me look this good.” he said spinning around.

“Alex that is not the type of thing you should say in front of your mother.” she said highly amused at her son’s goofy behavior. “Now let’s go before we are late.”

“Only if you insist.”

“And I do. Car now.” she said pointing the way.

They both got in the car and were soon on their way to Nick’s. Denise was in the driver’s seat and Alex was sitting in the passenger’s seat staring at the scenery.

He noticed that they were coming up to the intersection where the accident he caused happened. He started become really nervous and not quite sure if he could ever drive through it again. It seemed to bring back all of his past demons that he desperately wanted to forget so he could move on.

Denise looked over at her son noticing that he was fidgeting. The closer she looked the more she saw how anxious he looked and the little tiny droplets of sweat that were forming on his face.

“Alex are you alright?” she asked concern filling her voice.

“Yea mom I’m fine. It’s just…I’m not ready to face where it all happened yet.” he said.

“Honey I have to go this way to get to the freeway. You know no matter what the entrance is over here.”

“I know…I’m just scared.”

“Scared of what?”

By this point she had pulled the car over in front of a nearby house.

“That it’ll happen again. That I won’t manage to stay sober.”

“I’ll be here every step of the way to help you and make sure you do. The guys will do the exact same thing.”

“I’m still scared though. It doesn’t help that every day I think about the girl that I hit. I don’t even know how she is doing or anything. It’d make me feel better if she were alright and if I could help her out in any way. I know it won’t change what happened but…”

“I know dear. That’s very generous of you. While you’re on tour I’ll see if I can at least see how she’s doing.”

Sighing he said, “Well let’s go or Kevin will send out the search party for us.”

“Ok” she said giving him a smile and a pat on the shoulder.

With that they were once again on their way to Nick’s house.

~ 4 hours later ~

They arrived at Nick’s house 15 minutes after 2 o’clock. For the most part the drive to Tampa was fairly quiet except for the radio that Alex had turned on 20 minutes into their ride.

It took 10 minutes to find a place to park their car. Alex noticed that there were an unusual amount of cars here. When he visited before there were never that many, even when all of the guys were there hanging out. He brushed it off and joined his mother in front of Nick’s door. It was unusually quiet. ‘Maybe Nick was right. Maybe I really am the life of the party’ he thought to himself.

Denise rang the doorbell. Nick came and answered a minute later.

“J how are you man? It’s good to see you!” he said enveloping him into a hug. “Hi Denise.” he said also giving her a hug.

“Hi Nick” said Denise before she headed off towards his enormous backyard.

“Hey man. I’m doing pretty good. How ‘bout yourself?” said Alex.

“I’m doing good. Well let’s go see what everyone else is up to.”

“Yea it’s pretty quiet round here.”

“I told ya you’re the life of the party!” Nick said enthusiastically.

Nick led him towards the backyard. Nick went out first then Alex.

“SURPRISE!”

When Alex looked up he not only saw all of his band mates, but their ENTIRE crew for the Black & Blue Tour.

“We figured that we’d welcome you back in style and have a huge party to celebrate 2 things.” said Kevin giving him hug.

“You being sober, and us going back on tour in 2 days” Brian smiled also giving him a hug.
The party went on till midnight. Everyone caught up with each other, and congratulated AJ on being sober. Many also told him that they were very proud of him. Out of respect for AJ Nick made sure that there were no alcoholic beverages. So they sugared it up with soda, LOTS of soda.

They all laughed and cried and various stories, and at Nick and Brian for acting like complete goofballs (or in other words idiots hehe).

Now what’s a party without cake?? Their tour manager Lenny surprised everyone and bought a huge cake for everyone to share.
Chapter 7 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Just be warned that towards the end you'll see that it'll get a bit confusing with names. You'll see what I mean. I didn't realize until I was writing it. I may go back and change the main girl's name. Let me know if you think I should especially for future chapters :-) Happy reading!
‘Great I’m caught!’ she thought miserably to herself. The car that came up along side of her parked next to the curb. She was too scared to look at the car in fear it was her mom or dad.

After what seemed like a lifetime she turned slowly to look at the car. She sighed a huge relief when she saw that it was just an older lady with a younger guy in the car having a conversation.

She continued to the bus station and found her bus. She gave the driver her ticket and found a nice seat in the back. She grabbed out her notebook and began to write in it. She trusted that her notebook would keep all of her secrets.

‘Yay! I’m finally off to Orlando to see my cousin! And I made it free and clear so far. I wonder if Lin Lin told my parents? I hope she didn’t. Or maybe Lily did… Crap that wouldn’t be good. I don’t understand why my parents were circling my school the way they were. Do they do that cos they don’t trust me? Or cos they knew I was planning to escape for a while? Maybe I should’ve left them a note on my desk….maybe not cos then I’d definitely get caught.

I swear that car nearly made me pee my pants! No joke for real! I was so scared that I was going to be “grounded” for the rest of my life or put on house arrest. We’re pulling out of the station now, thank God. 

I don’t think I should’ve run those 3 blocks there. I’m not feeling so well. Maybe it’s just my nerves and excitement. If anything bad happens my parents will NEVER let me out of their sight.’

After writing in her notebook she closed it and put it back in her backpack. She then turned to look at the scenery that passed her by.

~ 4 hours later ~

After getting off the bus she began to search for Lily. All sorts of thoughts passed through her head. Like what if she didn’t get my email? What if she doesn’t want me here? What if my parents are on their way? She then turned around at the sound of her name.

“Hey Erin!”

“Lil!” she ran over and gave her cousin a huge bear hug.

“You ok?” Lily asked a bit worried.

“I’m fine maybe a little tired, but I’m great none the less.”

“Well you look a little pale,” Lily then reached out to touch her forehead, “and a bit clammy as well. Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I’m fine. Trust me!”

“Ok ok. Let’s go shall we?”

“I can’t wait to see your new house!”

“You’re going to love it! It’s right near the beach.”

“Cool!”

“Umm did you bring more clothes?”

“I did but it was hard to run with a duffle bag.”

“Oh dear. Maybe my neighbor can take you shopping while I’m at work. BUT you’d have to keep a low profile while you’re here. Lord knows what I’ll tell your parents if they call me asking where you are.”

“Did I mention that I love you and that you’re the BEST cousin in the whole universe?”

“You are such a kiss ass!”

“I know” she said with a smile.

~ 20 minutes later ~

“Well here we are! Home sweet home!” said Lily stretching out her arms wide.

Erin’s jaw nearly fell off. “You said you lived NEAR the beach not ON the beach!”

“Is that all you can say?”

“No. It’s beautiful!”

“I’ll show you where your room will be then I can take you next door to meet Angel. She’s about your age. She has a twin brother too. They’re really nice. They really helped me get settled and acquainted with everyone in the neighborhood.”

“Cool! Damn! This place is huge!!!!”

“Stop the cussing!”

“What cussing?”

Lily gave her a stern look.

“Oh that cussing. Ok” she said laughing lightly.

“Here’s your room. I’m going to change and I’ll be back. Make yourself at home.”

Lily hurried off down the hall to her master bedroom to change into her work clothes. She worked at a local television station as part of the crew, and on occasion she would get to do reports (which she ultimately wanted to do).

Erin just stood in awe at the size room she was in. It was double the size of her room at home. It had a walk in closet, its own bathroom, and a window seat. She’d always wanted one of those. She went over to the window, moved the curtains aside, and sat down. She wasn’t prepared for what she was about to see. Her room had a perfect view of the beach and ocean despite it being on the side of the house. It was such a beautiful day and the sun hit the water just in all the right places for it to sparkle. She could also see into the neighbor’s yard. By the looks of it they had a boat, ok two boats, and a huge back yard that led to the beach. She saw someone leave the house but before she could get a look Lily was back.

“You ready? While I was getting ready I called Bob to see if he could help keep an eye on you while I’m out. He said it’d be fine and that the twins were both home. So maybe you guys can catch a movie or something. Do you have money on you, or do you need some?” Lily told Erin.

“I’ve got some.”

“Ok let’s head over.”

They walked down the stairs and Lily locked the doors.

As they were walking over Lily told Erin “When I get back from work I’ll come over here and get you. If you need me Bob has all the contact numbers. If I’m going to get back really late you can just stay the night ok?”

“Ok but I don’t want to impose on people I don’t know.”

“You won’t be. He offered. He knows sometimes I can get back really late. He always checks to make sure I’m ok especially since it’s me all by myself.”

“That’s really nice of him.”

“Yea it is.”

When they got to the door Lily rang the doorbell. A tall blonde boy answered the door.

“Hi Lil! Ya know we should just get you your own key, or make a rule that you can just walk in.” said the boy laughing.

“Hi Aaron.” she said rolling her eyes. “Aaron this is my cousin Erin”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to forget that name. It’s nice to meet you” he said shaking her shaky hand.

“Well are you going to say something?” asked Lily noticing that her cousin was just staring.

Aaron just blushed. “Why don’t you come in, my dad’s in the kitchen.”

“Hey Bob! This is my cousin Erin.”

“Hi it’s nice to meet you Erin. You’re more then welcome to stay here anytime. My door is always open.” he said smiling.

“Aaron can you go get your sister please?” asked Bob.

“Yea sure dad” With that Aaron went out to the backyard in search of his sister. Erin’s eyes just followed him right out the door.

“Well I think someone has a crush” said Lily.

“Yea I think so too” agreed Bob.

They both looked at Erin.

“What?!” she exclaimed.

“You have a crush on Aaron” explained Lily.

“I do not!” she said turning twenty shades of red.

“Sure ya don’t. I’d love to stay and chat but I got to get going. Behave and listen. I’ll see you later tonight.” Lily said giving her cousin a hug.

“See you later.” Erin said returning the hug.

“Have a good day today. I’ll keep a good eye on her don’t worry. They’ll be staying in today anyways.”

“Ok sounds good. Bye!” Lily said walking out the door heading to her car.

“Dad?” called Angel.

“We’re in the living room!” he shouted. “Angel, this is Erin, Lily’s cousin I was telling you about earlier.”

“Oh hey! It’s nice to meet you.” said Angel.

“Nice to meet you too.”

“Well I’ll leave you three alone to figure out what you want to do, but please let’s keep the activity here.”

“Alright dad.” said Aaron and Angel.

“So what types of things do you like to do?” asked Angel.
Chapter 8 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
So sorry it's taken me forever to update! I started an econ class and I had a touch of writer's block. :-D

Thanks Ashley for 'yelling' at me to update lol
~ 2 days later ~

AJ walked onto his home for the next 3 ½ breathing in the familiar smell. “Hey Tom!” he greeted his bus driver.

“Glad to see your back and lookin better then ever” Tom said.

“Why Tom are you hitting on lil ole me?” he asked with a high pitched southern accent, and making hand motions that imitated some of his fans. Both men laughed.

“No I’m not. I can see that you’re back to your smart ass ways again. But I meant health wise, duh!” he laughed a little. “Just because you’re famous doesn’t mean we’re all in love with you.” He added with a serious look.

“Are you saying that you” *sniffle sniffle* “don’t love me anymore” he exasperated putting his hand up to his mouth to ‘keep’ himself from crying. At this moment Denise walked on because she would be joining him to keep him company for awhile.

“Not even on here for 5 minutes and you’re already making him cry Tom! Good job! “She said with sarcasm. “And you.” She said looking at AJ “Already getting him in trouble” AJ just stared at her sticking out his bottom lip. “Oh for Christ’s sake Alex put that lip back in or I’ll rip it off.”

“But then how will I sing….or talk?!?” he said playing along.

“Well I can definitely say one thing.” said Tom. “It’ll be very VERY quiet on the bus.” Tom sat a moment pretending to think. “Maybe you should do it anyway for our own peace of mind.”

“I think you’re right Tom” she said winking at him. “Alex, darling come here” she said with sweetness pouring out in her voice.

“No, no, no that’s ok I like my lips fully intact thank you very much. Plus how would I be able to kiss a girl, or make babies? Mom I know how much you want grandkids. You won’t get any if I don’t have my lips.” He tried to reason.

Tom laughed at the comment.

“Alex, I said your lip NOT you private part! CLEAN YOUR EARS!!!” This sent Tom into a fit of laughter.

“My ears ARE clean.”

“Besides I’d only take one lip not both, so come here!” she said pretending to lunge at him.

“Hey hey HEY! Not fair!!”

“Life isn’t always fair, you of all people should know that.”

“Is everything all set on here?” Lenny their tour manager asked. He always liked to do last minute checks with everyone before they left to go anywhere. His motto is that you never know when something can or will go wrong, and it’s always necessary to make sure that one is over prepared rather that not prepared at all. When he first became the boys’ tour manager he helped develop safety plans in case any emergency arose.

“We’re all good to go Lenny” said Tom.

“Alright we should be pulling out in 5 minutes. So get situated, relax, and enjoy the trip to Houston.” he said starting to leave the bus.

“Lenny.” he stopped and looked at AJ. “How long till we get there?”

“We should be getting there sometime tomorrow afternoon. Don’t worry when we get there you’ll have lunch and rehearse for the show that’s on Friday. Anything else you need while I’m here?”

“Cool. Thanks, but I think that’s it.”

“Well if you need anything while we’re on the road just give a buzz on my phone.”

“Alright, will do!”

With that Lenny stepped off the bus to go and ensure that other things were in order and ready to go before they departed.

~ 5 hours later ~

“Moooommm!” AJ whined. “I’m bored. AND hungry!”

Denise just rolled her eyes at her son. Alex there is food in the fridge and in the cupboards. Go get something from there. As for your boredom put in a movie that we can enjoy until we stop. You know I think we have popcorn too!”

“But I want McDonald’s!”

“You know I should really look into seeing if they have a rehab for people who are addicted to McDonald’s because it sure isn’t good for you.” She said half jokingly half seriously.

“That’d be the best place ever!!” he said enthusiastically.

“Alex it’d mean you’d have to give up eating it.”

“I know, I was trying to use some reverse psychology.” He grinned.

Denise just sighed and rolled her eyes. “Fine. Then starve. We aren’t stopping for another 2 hours. In the mean time since you don’t want to watch a movie, I’m going to go lie down and get rid of this headache.”

“Well you won’t get rid of it.” AJ said with complete seriousness in his voice.

“And why not?” she asked curiously arching her eyebrow.

“Because I’m never ever going to go away.” He grinned and walked to the front of the bus.

“Oh brother!” Denise said shaking her head and walking to her bunk.
Chapter 9 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Woot! Like I promised I got a chapter in today! with 56 minutes to the 4th! Hope you all have a happy and 4th of July! I'll try and update tomorrow sometime! Enjoy!
*Flashback to day Erin arrived at Lily’s*

“Hi Aunt Emily? It’s Lily.”

“Hi dear. Please tell me she’s there.” She said frantically always thinking the worst.

“Yes she is. She’s safe and sound. Right now I’m getting ready for work and she’s in the spare room.” She knew they would worry about Erin so she called them and told them about the email. She also knew that they were going to try and prevent her from leaving as well. ‘Should I tell her how pale she looked when she got off the bus?’ she thought to herself. Her thoughts were interrupted by her aunt’s voice.

“I’m sorry Aunt Emily, but what did you say?” she blushed in embarrassment.

“That’s ok dear. I asked if you are you taking Erin to work with you?” she said patiently.

“No. But don’t worry she’ll be safe. I promise. She’ll be next door with my neighbor. You remember that family I told you about? The one that always looks out for me and insures that I am safe?”

“Yes. But are you-“

“They don’t mind. In fact when I told Bob and Ginger the situation they said they’d be happy to keep an eye on her. Plus they have 2 kids her age, they’re twins. So it’s not a problem at all.” Lily knew what her Aunt was going to say. So she just got to the point.

“If they’re sure.” Emily said skeptically. She trusted her niece and her judgment greatly, otherwise she wouldn’t be letting Erin stay there under her care.

“They are, but I have to get going if I’m going to be at work on time. If there is a problem I’ll let you know! Love you!”

“Love you too. Give Erin our love.”

“Of course I will! Bye now.”

“Bye.”
*End of flashback*


~ 2 days later ~

For the last two days Erin had been spending time with both Aaron and Angel. Mostly Angel though because Aaron was busy with his own music. She had become quite surprised she hadn’t seen any missing person’s ads or flyers around. She thought for sure her parents would’ve called in the National Guard the second they found out she wasn’t at school. She shrugged it off and began to have fun shopping with Angel. She was also starting to have feelings towards Aaron, but those weren’t the only feelings she’d been having.

She’s been feeling really unlike herself. Every now and then for a spilt second she’d feel like she would faint or pass out. She may not have told anyone about it, but someone does know something isn’t right.

“Hey Angel, what do you think of this shirt?” Erin asked holding up a navy blue tank top with a gem stone design. Angel stopped sifting through a rack of clothes to look.

“Aww that’s really cute! What do you think of this?” she held up a white denim skirt.

Erin thought a minute, went over to another rack and pulled out a shirt.

“That would look great with this” Erin said handing Angel the shirt.

Angel put them both together and said “You’re right! I think I’m going to get this! Thank you” she said giving Erin a hug. Erin just laughed.

After leaving the store with her bag in hand, Erin didn’t decide to buy anything, Angel said “I’m hungry let’s head to the food court.”

They didn’t make it 5 feet before Erin started to sway. Angel caught her and led her to a bench nearby.

“Are you ok? Oh my God! Do I need to call an ambulance? Take you to the hospital?” Angel said frantically.

Taking a deep breath Erin said “I’m ok. I think it’s cos I’m hungry too.” She gave the best smile she could muster before continuing, “Please don’t tell Lily, I don’t need her to worry. I probably shouldn’t have skipped breakfast.”
“Ok I won’t. Are you sure you’ll be ok?” Angel asked worry written all over her face.

“Yea I’m sure.”

“Ok let’s get some food.” Angel helped Erin up and they went to eat.

~ Back at Angel’s house a few hours later ~

“Oh my God Aaron! I was so scared. I thought something was really wrong.” Angel told her brother. Erin went back to Lily’s house after they got back from the mall, and the instant she saw her brother she told him everything that happened. “She said she didn’t eat breakfast today and that it happened because she was hungry. I don’t buy it at all because she ate breakfast over here this morning. Plus, I’ve never seen that happen after missing just one meal.”

“I hope she’s alright. Didn’t dad say she was in an accident this summer?” Aaron asked trying to piece the information together.

“Yea. You don’t think she’s bulimic or anything do you? I don’t want to jump to conclusions, but could it be a possibility?”

“Some how I doubt that.” Angel looked at him with a weird look on her face. “She hasn’t been looking to well for the past two and a half days. I don’t know how to explain it…”

“And how would you come to that conclusion?”

“I heard Lily tell dad that when she picked her up she looked pale and clammy. She said she was worried that she exerted herself when trying to get here or something like that. She was also saying something about how she’s afraid to tell her aunt that.”

“Aaron Charles Carter!”

“What?!”

“You know better then to eavesdrop!” Angel scolded.

“I wasn’t really planning on it. It just happened…” he said with a slight blush.

“Yea sure. But what are we going to do?” Angel asked.
Chapter 10 by Nikki P
~ Friday Night in Houston~

AJ sat in the guys’ dressing room a nervous wreck. He was so nervous he was nearly making himself sick.

“Dude will you calm down. It’s not like this is your first time performing.” said an annoyed Nick.

“I can’t help the fact that I’m nervous Nickolas.” he said giving Nick a glare.

“Why are you nervous?” asked Kevin who figured he better get to the bottom of what was going on before the two youngest members killed each other.

“This is my first show back after getting out of rehab. I don’t know what’s going to happen.”

“Well that’s all part of the business though. We never what will happen at any time. Our job is one of the most unpredictable ones” said Brian. AJ just looked at him.

Howie smacked Brian in the back of the head causing him to yelp.

“What was that for?!” yelled Brian.

Howie sighed then said, “What I’m sure Brian meant was that our fans are with us no matter what. If they didn’t respect you and didn’t care about you then why would so many fans write letters and do so many things that took time and effort?”

“I don’t know” AJ said quietly.

“Don’t worry about tonight, ok? It’s going to be a great show and they’re all going to be so happy to see you back” Brian added.

“I hope you’re right” AJ said.

“Well look on the bright side, if they don’t like ya anymore they’ll just throw tomatoes at you” Nick said smiling.

Everyone just gave him a weird and confused look.

“What?” he asked innocently.

“Tomatoes? Nick seriously now stop playing around and be supportive here” scolded Kevin.

“Really! I heard one of the security guards talking about how people have been coming in with them.”

“Nick so help me God if I get hit with any tomato and I find out you’re the cause behind it you won’t live to see September!” AJ threatened through gritted teeth.

“Alright enough you too.” Kevin said rubbing his temples. ‘This is going to be a long night’ he thought to himself.

~ Showtime ~

The guys went out and performed their first two songs; “Everyone” and “Larger than Life.” The crowd was great so far and was giving them the energy that they were hoping for. After a few more songs passed by Brian came out alone on stage.

“Hello everyone!” he said in a sing-song voice. Everyone screamed. “How’s everyone doing tonight?” *more screams* “Well there is someone here who would like to talk to you. So I’m going to bring him up. Is that alright with everyone?” *everyone screamed again* “Alright Alex, they’re all yours! I hope y’all enjoy the rest of the show!” Brian patted AJ’s shoulder before he continued off stage.

“Hello Houston!” he shouted. “I’m really glad that you all are here tonight, and that I’m here tonight. I’m 35 days sober.” *everyone screamed* “I wanted to come up here and thank all of you guys for all of your support and kind words of encouragement. I’m glad that you all didn’t give up on me when I went into rehab. Honestly I was afraid of tonight. I was afraid of the response that you’d have. You know what they say is true; the Backstreet fans are without a doubt the BEST fans in the world! Without your support there would be no Backstreet Boys. Thank you! Enjoy the rest of the show! Keep the Backstreet Pride Alive!”
Everyone cheered and screamed as he left the stage, but he went running back on. “WAIT! I have a question for you all. Do ANY of you have tomatoes?” Everyone just looked around confused. “Ok good. Bye now!” The fans just started laughing at his goofiness.

All the guys were standing in their quick change area listening. After hearing AJ ask about tomatoes Kevin looked at Nick who was smiling from ear to ear.
“Look Carter whatever you’re up to you better quit it. And I mean it!”

“I got what I wanted” he smiled.

“That felt really good guys! You ready to go back out?” AJ asked as he came back to the quick change area.

“Cause I want it that way”

“Good Night Houston!”

They just finished singing their last song of the night, and said goodbye before hurrying off stage to their awaiting buses. The rest of the show went by smoothly. Although Kevin had his suspicions on high guard with Nick and his tomatoes. After the show they all went out to eat and celebrate.
Chapter 11 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Alas an update! I hope you enjoy!

I want some feed back on this: should I include 9-11? (I'm still debating it, but want to know what you all think)
AND What kinds of things do you want to see happen with any character in the story so far?
Thanks a bunch to everyone's that's reviewing!
*Ding dong*

Aaron rang the door bell at Lily’s house. A few moments later Lily answered.

“Hey Aaron. What can I do for you?” greeted Lily.

“Is Erin around?” she looked at him a bit odd.

“Yea, but if she’s not with you guys where else would she be?” she asked slightly amused at the fact that he’s turning a bit pink in the cheek.

“Well…I…I didn’t know if ummm” Lily laughed.

“She’s upstairs 3rd door on the left” she moved aside letting him enter.

“Thanks” he said slipping past her and nearly running up the stairs.

“Kids these days” she said to the empty foyer.


Meanwhile upstairs Erin was writing in her journal, when she heard a knock at the door.

“Yea Lily what’s up?” she asked.

“Well for one I’m not Lily.” said Aaron. At the sound of his voice Erin jumped. Aaron laughed at her slightly amused.

“Oh my God Aaron you scared the living crap out of me!” she said throwing a pillow at him. He caught it and sat down on her bed along side of her. She was laying down when he first walked in.

“Oops!” he said grinning evilly. She laughed. He hesitated a moment before saying; “Is it alright if I ask you a question?”

“Yea” she replied full of confusion.

“Well I’ve been noticing lately that well, no offense, but you haven’t been looking like your feeling too good. And I’m a bit worried.”

“Aaron stop. I’m fine I appreciate really” she said giving him a small smile.

“Are you really alright though? Ang-“

“She told you?! I can’t believe she told you! I told her not to tell anyone!!” Erin said with a look of fury in her eyes. Aaron took her hand into his and rubbed the back of it.

“No according to her she said that you said that you didn’t want her to tell Lily. You didn’t say anything about her not telling me. Plus I’ve been worried since before she told me” he said squeezing her hand.

“I’m F-I-N-E!”

“Angel and I are really worried about you, especially Angel. Plus even your cuz knows something is up, but she hasn’t been around you enough to really notice a change” he was trying to look her in the eye but she kept dodging his glance. He finally took his other hand and lifted up her chin so that she could look him in the eye. “Please please talk to someone if something isn’t right. Please promise me that you will.”

“I promise.” She bit her lip and released herself from his grasp. “Now can we change the subject?”

Aaron just sighed in defeat, he didn’t quite believe her. “Alright, but I’m curious. When are you going back home? Not that I want you to leave or anything, but I just wanted to know”

“I don’t know. Whenever I guess. I don’t think my parents are bothered with me not being at home because I haven’t seen missing person ads or anything like that, and neither has my friend back at home.”

“Erin, that is the biggest crock of shit I’ve ever heard! You know damn well that they care about you. I bet they probably know that you’re here, so they aren’t worried because they know you are safe.”

“You don’t think they really know that I’m here do you?” she asked bewildered.

“Yea especially if they haven’t phoned the police.”

“That doesn’t make a damn bit of sense. If they knew I was here they would’ve came and got me right away, not let be. What if they really haven’t noticed?” she was saying more to herself than to Aaron.

“Not unless they’re giving you space and the freedom you said you wanted. Maybe, I’m going out on a limb here, but maybe you should call them.”

“True. I don’t know should I?”

“I really think you should. They probably miss you like crazy! When you go home I’ll definitely miss you.” She blushed at his comment.

“I’ll probably miss Angel too” she sighed.

“Aww- wait a minute” Aaron said after processing what she just said. “You wouldn’t miss me?” he asked while pretending to cry.

“Ummmm maybe” she smiled at him.

“Erin dinners ready” Lily said poking her head around the half open door.

“Ok” Erin and Aaron replied.

“Oh jeez! Aaron would like to stay for dinner too? We’re having lasagna” Lily asked realizing that she was talking to both Aaron and Erin.

“Yea sure. Just got to let my dad know.”

“Well go use my phone downstairs in the living room because if you go next door it’ll probably be gone because it’s her favorite food”

“Hey!” she said sticking her tongue out at Lily.
Chapter 12 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone I'm sorry I haven't updated in a long time. There's been problems with some members in my family (LONG story). But as a way to make it up to you I'm putting up 2 chapters! Thank you for bearing with me, as things have gotten hectic.
Three days have past since their first show in Houston. So far all of the fans have been phenomenal according to AJ, who is quite grateful to be received so well after being in rehab. The boys were now in Phoenix, Arizona for a show the next day, then heading off to L.A.

“Hey Bone, how you doing?” asked Brian when he saw AJ in the hallway of their hotel.

“Hey Rok, I’m doing pretty good. How’s everything going with you and Leigh? Any sign of a nephew or niece any time soon?” he asked wiggling his eyebrows up and down.

“Is that all you ever think about?” he said rolling his eyes.

“No. I just want to be the uncle that spoils them rotten” he said with an evil look in his eyes “plus I’m an only child remember.”

“Oh Lord, are we in trouble the minute you become an uncle. Leigh and I are doing fine.”

“Did I hear right? AJ being an uncle?” asked Howie who stepped out of his room to join the party.

“It’d be more like a monkey’s uncle, I’d imagine” Kevin said with a straight face.

“Look whose talking old man! I take strong offense to that!” AJ exclaimed. The rest of the guys broke out laughing.

“Did I miss something?” asked a very confused Nick who came out of his room scratching his head and looking from the guys to a pouting AJ. This caused all of them, including AJ, to start laughing harder.

After finally catching his breath Howie said, “Kevin, I think you’re wrong”

“About what?” asked Kevin.

“Nick is more of a monkey’s uncle then AJ. He’ll be the one I worry most about with kids!” Nick just stood there with his arms crossed and a shocked look on his face.

“Fine. I can see when I’m NOT wanted” he said pretending to cry and be hurt by the comment.

“Jeez Nick we were only messing around” said Brian.

“I know.” He replied simply.

“I don’t know about you guys, but I’m bored as hell. I hate being stuck in hotels and its way to damn hot to go outside and go swimming!” said AJ.

“We could go bowling.” Howie suggested.

“Yeah and where, Mr. Genius, do you suppose there’s one at?” Nick said sarcastically. Howie spun Nick around and pushed him towards the window at the end of the hallway, with Nick fighting the whole 6 feet.

“Right there” Howie said pointing across the street at the bowling alley. He saw it when they arrived at the hotel.

“So…anyone up for bowling?” Nick said in a sweet manor, which made Howie roll his eyes at Nick for his sudden change of heart.

“Oh darn, I would but I forgot to pack my bowling shoes. I think I’ll just go watch a movie or something. Bye guys!” Everyone looked in the direction Kevin just ran off in puzzled. They were all to suspicious of what he was really up to.

“Wait, why can’t he just rent a pair?” asked Nick. Brian smacked him in the back of the head. “OW! THAT HURT!”

“Leave in 10 minutes?” asked Brian who was on his way back to his room.

“Yea” they all replied, and Nick was still rubbing the back of his head.

“First Howie, and then Brian…man do I have a sign that says ‘pick on Nick today’” he mumbled to himself.

~At the bowling Alley~

“How about me and Bri versus you two? Or everyman for himself?” AJ asked Howie and Nick.

“Well for one you and Brian together wouldn’t be fair so if you want to do team you two have to split up!” Howie told AJ, which reminded AJ of the way Kevin delegates them. AJ chuckled.

“Yea J that wouldn’t be fair putting us together, and it wouldn’t be fair going individually.” Added Brian.

“Yea cos we’d whip them no matter what” AJ whispered.

“I heard that!” exclaimed a quiet Nick.

“Heard what?” AJ asked angel like.

“Ok moving on. How about me and Nick versus you two?” Brian suggested.

“Sounds fair.” They replied in unison.

Halfway through the first game AJ and Howie were losing by only 1 strike to Nick and Brian. When it was Nick’s turn to bowl his cell phone rang. Nick looked at his caller ID on his phone.

“I’ll be back play with out me.” Nick clicked the talk button and headed out into the scorching sun.

“Hey Aaron! What’s up? Long time no talk.” He greeted his little brother.

“Tour has been good so far. Scared AJ on his first show back. Dude it was so hilarious I wish you could’ve seen it!”

“I told him that if the fans didn’t like him they’d throw tomatoes at him and led him to believe that they were given tomatoes. He actually asked the fans if they had any tomatoes. It was great! But how are you doing? What’s on your mind?” he asked sensing that there was something bothering his brother.

“Oh and you like her” Nick said in a baby voice interrupting Aaron.


“I’m sorry Aaron. I’m listening. Go ahead” he said immediately feeling bad.

“Wow.” Nick could hear his brother sniffling. “Ok first off just tell her you’re there for her. Let her know that if there is something seriously wrong, and she doesn’t have it checked out as soon as possible, the issue could be a lot worse. Offer to take her to the doctor, and see what happens, or both of you just drive there and then explain what you’re doing. Reinforce the idea that her parents care about her, and that they probably know that she is with a family member so they are sure she’s safe. Suggest that they are giving her a bit of space. Wait…isn’t she in school?” Nick could tell that his brother really cares about this girl, and whether or not he admits it, he does have some bit of feelings for her. Nick has never heard or seen his brother get this worked up over any girl before.

“You never know unless you try, and that could be a potential solution too.” Nick paused looking up when he heard the door to the bowling alley open. “You try that then let me know how that works out. I’m always here for ya.”

“Nah, you don’t need any luck, you’re AC! Love ya little bro”

“Bye.” Nick said hanging up the phone smiling.

“Hey Nick! We beat them!” Brian smiled happily.

“Yea we got beat by 1 person” grumbled a pissed off AJ.

“Hey I helped out for half of the game.” Nick defended himself.

“Is Aaron alright?” asked Howie. “You were gone for a while”

“Yea. Him and Angel are worried about my dad’s neighbor’s cousin. Plus I think he likes her too.”

“What’s wrong?” asked AJ concerned and not worrying about the game anymore.

“I don’t know, but he’s going to keep me updated.”

“We better get back before security blows a gasket” said Howie “and we really don’t want that happening.”
Chapter 13 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Oh I've been thinking about the time line, and decided that I'm not going to put the real events I use in this story in the actual time frame that they happened. I'll explain later :-)
*From Aaron’s viewpoint*

Aaron got up that morning, ok well that afternoon seeing as he slept in a bit too long, and looked out his window. He could see Erin sitting out in Lily’s back yard. His mind raced with thoughts of worry and of something he couldn’t quite figure out. He decided to call his big brother, who could help him with anything. He walked over to his nightstand picked up his phone and dialed Nick’s number.

“Hey Nick. Yea it has been a long time. How’s the tour going?” Aaron asked

“Really what’d you do to him?”

“Well you know dad’s new neighbor? Well she has a cousin whose mine and Angel’s age”

“You know what never mind forget it! This is serious and all you can do is make jokes!” He said annoyed at the fact that Nick said he was crushing on her.

“Angel and I are both really worried about her. She came here, to Lily’s, to get away from her parents. She sort of ran away, but according to Lily they know where she’s at so they wouldn’t call the police. I guess since she’s gotten out of the hospital, reason for being in I don’t know, her parents have been treating her like a baby, who can’t go or do anything anywhere. When she first got here she looked like she wasn’t feeling well, and Angel and I both think that whatever’s wrong is getting worse. I confronted her about it a few days ago and she nearly snapped my head off. I’m so worried about her, and I really want her to open up and clue me in so I can help. She won’t even tell her cousin. I asked her if she’s talked to her parents to let them know she’s ok, and she said she doesn’t want to. She also thinks that they don’t miss her cos she hasn’t seen anything in the news about her missing.” Aaron was close to tears at this point. “What do I do Nick? Angel and I have no idea. We can’t tell dad cos he’ll tell Lily and…” Aaron was close to loosing it at this point.

“Yea she’s in school. I guess she’s going to have about a week’s worth of absences, and hopefully not more. Do you think that’ll work? Maybe I could just drive her home. She lives like 4 hours away.” Aaron rambled.

“I know. I let you know how things go. Wish me luck.” He said sighing.

“Love you too Nick. Thanks” Aaron said smiling. “I’ll talk to you later. Bye.”

Surprisingly he felt somewhat better after talking to his brother. He took a deep breath, got dressed and went to Lily’s.

*End of Aaron’s point of view*

“Hi Lily. Is Erin around?” he asked already knowing the answer.

“Hey. Yea she’s in the back want me to get her for you?” she asked smiling at him.
“No,” Lily looked a bit confused “I wanted to ask you something first.”

“Go ahead. I’m all ears”

“Would it be alright if I took her out to a late lunch early dinner and a movie or something cos I really need to talk to her about some thing.”

“And you were hoping that would help lessen the blow?” she asked somewhat amused.

“Well…kind of. Where does she like to eat at?” he blushed.

“She likes just about everything except seafood. You’re best bet though would be to go and some pizza and ice cream. She’s a simple kind of girl.”

“Thanks. Is alright if I go back there?” he said smiling, though his insides were twisted into knots.

“Go on you little goober” Lily said while shaking her head. “He is too good to her” she said to herself.

Meanwhile in the backyard, Erin was laying on a chair sunbathing and reading a book that she was so wrapped up in that she didn’t hear the sliding door open. Aaron noticed that she wasn’t paying attention to her surroundings so stealthy went over to the hose and turned it on hitting her in her feet so as not to get the book wet. She screamed and looked up in time to see Aaron come at her picking her up. He laughed mischievously and carried her into the house and up to her room. Lily looked at the scene before her and laughed.

Once upstairs Aaron threw her gently on the bed so she lying on her back.

“That was not very nice mister!” Erin scolded playfully.

“You’re right my dear, and as punishment I should take you out for something to eat and a movie, and I have to pay for it ALL”

Erin frowned hurt by what Aaron had said. ‘A punishment is being with me’ she thought to herself.

“I’ll leave so you can get changed.” He bounded out of the room smiling.

Erin felt like crying. “Why is it that every guy I start to like, doesn’t want to take me out because they want to? Why do I even bother with guys, especially him?” she started to sob into her pillow. As Lily was walking to hers she heard Erin faintly crying. Wondering what was going on she opened the door and walked in.

“Erin sweetie what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” her voice so full of concern.

“Nothing. I don’t feel like going out with Aaron. Can you tell him for me please?”

“Yes, but why don’t you?”

“I’m just not up to it”

“Ok if you’re sure.”

“I am” she turned over on her other side. Lily got up and left to go tell Aaron.

“Aaron, Erin’s not up to going out. Did you two argue or something?” Lily said to Aaron.

“No, why what’s wrong?” he was getting scared that something was going to happen to her.

“I don’t know. Maybe it’s just female stuff going on. Why don’t you try coming by later tonight or in the morning.”

“Ok” he said sadly.

“I’m sorry honey” Lily said sympathetically.
Chapter 14 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
hey sorry I haven't updated with this story. I've been out of my mojo. I'm kind of switching it around so 2 Erin parts are back to back, but no worries Aj's is coming.
I'll put more up tonight :-) R&R
Later that night Erin found herself wide awake, and hungry. Since Aaron had left she had stayed in her room just sitting there and staring off into space all the while crying. Lily had tried seeing what was bothering her little cousin but all of her attempts failed. When Erin didn’t want to talk, she didn’t want to talk.

Erin sighed thinking back about the day’s earlier events. She just didn’t get it. She loves Aaron, and was hoping he did feel the same. ‘Now I know for sure he doesn’t’ she thought to herself. It was always the same thing with all guys since she was little. They’d only do nice things for her because they said something that made her mad, or she was hurt or sick, always because they felt bad for her. No one bought her flowers just because, but they’d buy them when they were trying to make it up to her. She hated that more then anything. ‘Why can’t Aaron be different? I guess all guys are the same.’

She sighed again.

She turned and looked at the time. It was nearly midnight and she wanted some food. She got up and ventured down to the kitchen.

She decided to fix herself a bowl of cereal. As she sat there eating her thoughts drifted back to her parents. She has been gone for a week almost, and it was strange that she hadn’t heard from them. ‘Maybe it’s time for me to go back’

As she finished up her cereal she went upstairs and started packing her things. She was going back home first thing. ‘Lily wakes up at 7:00am so that should give her time to get to the bus station by 8:15am.’

Leaving early would defiantly be a benefit because she knew Aaron would not get up that early. She just felt bad that she wouldn’t be able to say goodbye to Angel. The more she thought about it, she got the idea to write them a note.

15 minutes later she was done writing. She sealed them and wrote their name on the outside.

She climbed into bed to get at least 6 hours of sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning Lily awoke to find that Erin was already up and dressed.

“What are you doing up so early?” Lily asked astonished because she had never seen her cousin get up so early.

“I want to go home. I think its time for me to.” she said looking away from her cousin.

“Aww you don’t like it here.” Lily playfully pouted. Erin smiled

“Of course I do, but I can’t stay here forever”

“I’m guessing all of your stuff is ready, right?” Erin just smiled. “I thought so. Alright let’s go”
“Lil can you give these to Aaron and Angel for me when you get back?”

“Of course sweet heart.”
Chapter 15 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Here's another update! I think I'm slowly getting back into it with this story :-)
Please Please review! It'll help keep me motivated to write more :-)
~ 2 weeks later ~

The boys finally were able to have a couple of days off from their tour. By now it was mid September, and they were in Seattle. It was pouring cats and dogs so there wasn’t much to do except stay in the hotel and chill.

They all decided to watch a movie in Kevin’s room and were almost through when Alex’s phone began to vibrate.

“Hello?” he answered. All the guys turned to look at him so he went out into the hall.

“Hello, is this Mr. McLean?” the voice asked in a happy chirpy voice.

“Yes. Who’s this?”

“Hi Mr. McLean. This is Cynthia Sherwood. I am one of the producers for Oprah’s show. How are you doing today?”

“Oh Hi” he said confused as to why she would be calling him. “I’m doing great thank you for asking, but please call me Alex I’m not that old for the Mr. McLean stuff yet” She chuckled at his comment.

“Well Mr. er- I mean Alex” she blushed at her error “I am calling you because we would like to invite you on the show when the tour is over to talk about what you went through. We have received many letters and emails addressing your situation, all positive I might add, and thought it’d be great to hear your story. That is if you don’t mind.”

“Really? People have been writing to you.” he said with a small smile on his face.

“Yes because they want you on the show, and I couldn’t agree more with them.”

“I’d love to. If my experience will help people then I’m all for it.” He said getting excited.

“We’d love it if your mom were to join you so we can that parental side as well.”
“I’m sure she’d be more then willing to come too. When would you want us to be there?”

“Well according to the tour schedule that we have *she laughed lightly* your tour ends in about a month, right?”

“Yes it does.”

“Alright, let’s see. They said they’d want to devote a whole show about it. Ummm” she said as she was looking through the days of when they’d be scheduled to do what on the show “how about in the beginning of December? I don’t have a final date yet, but when I know for sure I can let you know”

“That’d be great. I don’t have anything planned, and I think the guys and I are going to be taking a small break from recording for a while so it should be no problem.” he said while scratching his head.

“Alright then Alex. I’ll call you in a few weeks to work out some of the details.”

“Sounds good.”

“Thank you so much for being willing to come on.”

“The pleasure is all mine, thank you for inviting me.”

“Talk to you in a few weeks. Bye”

“Bye” he replied and hung up his phone before venturing off to go and tell his mom.

~In Alex’s mom’s room 30 minutes later~

“Oh Alex that’s wonderful.” she beamed as she hugged her son. He had just finished telling her about the conversation that he had with the producer.

“Yea I’m really excited about it. I think it’d be good for me ya know?”
Chapter 16 by Nikki P
Author's Notes:
Sorry the last few chapters have been short, but short is better then nothing right?

As always read and review!! Thank you!!!
~ 2 weeks later Aaron’s point of view~

He sat there re-reading the letter she left him. Not fully understanding what happened. He was so lost. What did he do? He remembered when he first read the letter.
*flashback*
“Hey Lily” he smiled as he bounded over to her house as she just got back from dropping Erin off, the later he didn’t know.

“Hi Aaron” she smiled weakly.

“Is Erin up yet?”

“Yes, but Aaron there’s something you need to know. She went home today. She wanted me to give you this though.” She dug in her bag and pulled out a white envelope with his name written across it. He saw there was one for Angel too. His face fell when he heard that she was gone.

‘Maybe that’s a good thing’ he thought ‘it’ll help her see how much her parents care about her’

He took the letters from Lily and walked back towards his house.
He went straight up to his room and shut the door. He sat on his bed and opened the envelope and pulled out the letter.

The letter read:

‘Aaron,

By the time you get this I’ll be on my way home. I’m sorry I didn’t say good bye, but I couldn’t. I can’t stay her any longer. You really hurt me yesterday. I thought you were different, but I guess I was wrong. You’re just like everyone else.

Good bye Aaron.

-Erin’

*end of flashback*

“I just don’t get it” he said to no one in particular.

*end of Aaron’s point of view*
--------------------------------------------------------------

Erin woke up that morning and stretched. It was good to be back home. It’s been two weeks and she managed to work things out, sort of, with her parents. She got grounded for a month for running off without telling her parents, even though they knew everything via Lily.

She was told that she just needed to sit them down and tell them how she was feeling. Naturally she didn’t believe them seeing as she tried to tell them. She was just happy to be back at home. Her parents were giving her some space that she needed.

School was good. Lindsay kept asking her what happened, but Erin just wasn’t ready to tell her about Aaron, especially since he was Aaron Carter of all people.
She thought about him constantly, and it saddened her. She’d constantly tell herself ‘it’s not meant to be.’ She’s said that so much that she’s starting to believe it.

She was standing in the bathroom looking in the mirror thinking about how Aaron.

“How the hell did he know that I wasn’t feeling right?” she asked her reflection. She looked at herself closely. “I am feeling better then I was then, but he hardly knew me. How did Lily not notice and he did?” She really wanted answers, but she sighed and finished getting ready for school.
Chapter 18 by Nikki P

I know I've been missing in action  but I am alive. I've been under a lot of stress lately, between school, and other much more personal issues. With everything going on, I haven't been able to really concentrate on this story. Usually I can type out a chapter rather quickly, but I haven't been able to produce more than a few sentances of the next chapter. I guess I have a severe case of writers block that has accompanied the stress. I'm going to put this story of "official" hiatus, but I'm hoping to make it up to you all around Christmas :-)

There is some good news, I suppose, that has branched from the chaos that has consumed my life hehe...but I'm going to wait and surprise you all later.

I really hope you understand and continue reading when I update again.

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone

Nikki P

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8465