Obscure Smiles by arokaholic
Summary: AJ is thrown into the world of fatherhood unexpectedly but is slowly learning how to adjust to being a single father of an infant daughter.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



I started this story in early 2005. It's not my best writing, but I had a lot of readers on it who seemed to enjoy it very much and I'm sort of proud I got two stories out of it. The sequel Obscure Feelings was written better, in my person opinion.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 33 Completed: Yes Word count: 23656 Read: 62925 Published: 08/17/07 Updated: 03/25/08

1. Chapter 1 by arokaholic

2. Chapter 2 by arokaholic

3. Chapter 3 by arokaholic

4. Chapter 4 by arokaholic

5. Chapter 5 by arokaholic

6. Chapter 6 by arokaholic

7. Chapter 7 by arokaholic

8. Chapter 8 by arokaholic

9. Chapter 9 by arokaholic

10. Chapter 10 by arokaholic

11. Chapter 11 by arokaholic

12. Chapter 12 by arokaholic

13. Chapter 13 by arokaholic

14. Chapter 14 by arokaholic

15. Chapter 15 by arokaholic

16. Chapter 16 by arokaholic

17. Chapter 17 by arokaholic

18. Chapter 18 by arokaholic

19. Chapter 19 by arokaholic

20. Chapter 20 by arokaholic

21. Chapter 21 by arokaholic

22. Chapter 22 by arokaholic

23. Chapter 23 by arokaholic

24. Chapter 24 by arokaholic

25. Chapter 25 by arokaholic

26. Chapter 26 by arokaholic

27. Chapter 27 by arokaholic

28. Chapter 28 by arokaholic

29. Chapter 29 by arokaholic

30. Chapter 30 by arokaholic

31. Chapter 31 by arokaholic

32. Chapter 32 by arokaholic

33. Chapter 33 by arokaholic

Chapter 1 by arokaholic
Author's Notes:
I started this story in early 2005. It's not my best writing, but I had a lot of readers on it who seemed to enjoy it very much and I'm sort of proud I got two stories out of it. The sequel Obscure Feelings was written better, in my person opinion.

"You look... good." I replied.

Which wasn't really true. It was just more of an energy-booster, trying to make her feel good. I've never seen her without makeup or her hair done.

She smiled, "Thanks. So do you, Aje."

"Where is," I tried to say until a nurse came barging in the door.

"Hiya Mom! It's diaper-changing time!" said the chirpy nurse, "And who is this?"

I grunted, I hated when people acted like they weren't in the room.

"I'm the father," I answered the question for Claire.

The nurse, wearing bright pink scrubs, looked over at Claire for reassurance. Claire nodded and smiled.

"Your daughter would love for you to hold her," the nurse smiled and held out the baby to me.

I didn't really know what I was doing. I didn't know what to do, to be honest -- I didn't really wanna hold her. I was too afraid I would drop her, or she'd cry and wouldn't like me. But the nurse was practically shoving her in my face, so I gripped onto her as best as I could. And that's when my life changed forever.

People always say how you get a brand new feeling inside of you when you become a parent, I didn't believe it until this very instant. No matter how horrible she smelled, or looked... you would always love them. I loved my daughter from the first time I layed eyes on her right then.

I leaned down and kissed her forehead as softly as I could. I was terrified I would hurt her. But she seemed comforted by me, and that was an amazing feeling.

I was interuppted in my thoughts by Claire, "So, what do you want to do?"

I was confused, "What do you mean?"

"I can't take care of her, AJ. I thought we went over this," a tear came pouring down her face, "I can't look at her or else I can't do it. I will never give her up. I don't have the income, or the time or patience. I'm not ready to be a parent. You can't take her, your on the road for months at a time..."

"How can you get rid of our child?" I was shocked she would even bring up the idea, "I mean, look at her."

"I'm not ready. She deserves better."

I was completely stunned. I didn't really know Claire very well, but I was surprised she would even do this. Me and her, we were a one night fling. She happened to get pregnant, and didn't tell me until she was 7 months along. Here I was grasping this baby, who was only a tiny bit bigger than my hand, in my arms as she nuzzled her face into my shirt. How in God's name could I ever give her up?

"I will take her."

"Huh?" Claire stopped in mid-sentence.

"I said, she's mine then. I'll take her. She's my daughter, I'm not giving her up," I stated plainly.

"AJ, how can you? How can- how can you possibly raise a child? Your still a kid yourself. You realize you can never party again, you always have to get babysitters when you leave, your on the road 24/7 and recording. Your life will be gone!"

"No! It won't! She will be my life... come on, Claire. I can do this... I know I can. I just... I can't give her up. She came from me and you. I helped make her... do you know how amazing that is? Holy shit, I mean... woah."

Claire was crying harder, "Don't you think I know that? I will never forget her, until I die. I'm not at a time in my life where I can do this right now. You know what, okay. I can't do anything about it, so she's in your custody. You fill out all the custody papers. I leave this hospital tomorrow, and I won't see you guys again."

She was now bawling. And I couldn't understand how she could be so upset and love her yet leave her and abandon her. Of course, she wasn't abandoned though because I was with her. Her daddy was here for her. I smiled, her daddy.

"Does she, uhm, have a name?"

Claire sighed, "I couldn't think of a good one. It was between Addison and Adelynn for me."

"I like Adelynn," I smiled. That way she could be called Addy or Lynn, which ever she preferred.

"Then she's little Adelynn," Claire responded sternly but then she replied, "Adelynn Alexis is pretty. And Alexis has part of your name in it."

I liked it, alot.

"Adelynn Alexis McLean."

Chapter 2 by arokaholic

For a while, I sat there staring at her. I was thinking, what the hell am I gonna do? I never thought I would be raising a child by myself. I always thought it wouldn't be like this... I had always had this whole dream in my mind where eventually in my 30's, I would settle down, get married and have kids. I never thought I'd meet a woman in a bar, take her home and get her pregnant and be stuck with the outcome.

Right now though, I was enjoying it with my life. Having this little piece of me. I had just brought her home from the hospital this morning, and I realized how hard this was gonna be. I didn't really know how I was going to do this, but I had to have hope.

I heard the front door start to open and looked to see Nick. I stood up, holding Adelynn in my arms. She was so tiny. 7 pounds, 2 ounces, it still amazed me. Nick saw me and looked shocked.

"Dude, what are you doing? You babysitting for someone?" Nick asked.

"Nick, I wanna introduce you to my daughter...," I told him.

I had told all the guys that Claire was pregnant, but everybody thought she was getting an abortion. They never knew how far along she was, because I didn't tell them.

"Huh?" Nick was so confused.

"Adelynn, this is your Uncle Nicky," I pointed to Nick and whispered to Adelynn, "Call him Nicky, he hates it."

"Shut up, man!" Nick shouted, "This is your daughter? I thought... I mean, I thought she was getting a, you know."

"Well, she was gonna give her up for adoption. I saw her and couldn't imagine not seeing her again... it was the most amazing thing. It was...," I was starting to ramble but I didn't care. I know Nick didn't know or understand what I was talking about but it was okay.

"Claire's not going to be in the picture, Nick. She doesn't want to be. Addy's all mine," I replied, proudly.

"Are you serious? Wow. Congrats, man. That's awesome. Do the other guys know?"

"Not yet. I'm keeping her pretty secret right now. She doesn't need to be exposed to the business yet... so young."

Adelynn started squirming in my arm, and all the sudden her mouth opened and she started wailing. I was completely clueless. She was probably hungry, right?

"Nick, do me a favor... take her," I handed her over to Nick.

"I don't know what to do!" Nick screetched as I ran into the kitchen to try and heat up a bottle. The nurse had explained it to me a little bit, but I didn't know it would be this hard.

I picked up the bottle of formula and read the side package. Adelynn's screaming could still be heard from the next room. I poured some of the formula into the bottle and stuck it in the microwave for 30 seconds. I didn't know if that was long enough, or too long for that matter but as long as it would make her shut up. I grabbed the bottle and ran back out and handed Nick the bottle.

"You expect ME to do this? Yeah right... you take her," Nick handed her back to me.

I rolled my eyes. He could be such a baby.

"Your worse than Addy," I took her back into my arms and held the bottle up to her mouth.

She started to drink it and I smiled. I had been doing a lot of that lately, she was just too cute. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Nick was staring at me.

"What?"

Nick grinned, "That's kinda cute, J. She's so tiny... your really gonna do this."

"I can do it," I replied, kind of offended that he thought I couldn't.

"I know. It's just kinda weird, you know? But a cool weird, I guess."

I just smiled, "Yeah. It is weird."

It was weird but it was so amazing. I didn't know how I was going to do it, but I was going to. I could always bring a baby on the road with me, right? I'm not gonna quit my job - my life, for her. I could work around it, couldn't I?

Chapter 3 by arokaholic

I stared at all the fans wanting to meet me and screaming my name. I just couldn't get myself to come off the tourbus, not with Adelynn fast asleep in the back. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss a second. I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"You comin' out there with me, man?" Kevin asked, "It's calmed down a little, they're wanting to meet us."

"Nah, man. I did it last night... what if Addy wakes up?"

Kevin just smiled, "Alright."

I was always the one who was out there for a long time talking to the fans... but this time I had to make sure Adelynn was going to be okay. It was a scary thing, you know? She was so tiny and fragile, you never know if something could happen to her. We had celebrated her one month birthday yesturday. Me and the other guys got a birthday cake, which was for us since she can't even eat it yet, and we all sang to her. We got a tiny smile out of her, like she knew what was going on.

I heard her noises that she always made coming from the back of the bus. I went and layed on the queen size bed as gently as I could, and put my hand to her body.

"Alex, I'm so proud of you."

I turned around and smiled, "Thanks, mom. I'm really glad you came with me to watch over Addy and all."

"Honey, you know it's no problem spending time with my granddaughter."

I looked at Adelynn once more, before leaning over to pick her up. I placed her on my shoulder, and started to pat her back. A tiny burp came out of her and I just laughed, "You can do better than that, baby!"

I patted her back a little harder and a big one came out. I noticed my mom just staring at me, with a big smile on her face. Now I knew why she had cared so much about me all these years. I had always wanted her to just lay off, and give me space but now I knew.

Kevin came back onto the bus, "Man, they want you."

I just laughed, "Alright... you stay here with my mom and watch Adelynn, okay? I'll be quick."

I picked up a hoodie and threw it on overtop of my t-shirt. Right when I walked out, I heard screams and saw about 50 girls crowding the baricade. I was finally grasping that we were back... the five of us were together on the road again. I waved and made a goofy face, I knew they always got a kick out of that.

The first girl I went up to asked for a picture and I posed for one with her.

"How's your daughter, AJ?! Congratulations!" I heard a couple of girls scream.

"She's good, she's doing great. One month old now, I can't believe it."

The girl standing right in front of me asked if she could see Adelynn. I was trying to be nice about it, but I didn't want them seeing her. I wanted her as safe as possible. It was a scary world out there.

"Maybe a different time... it's a little too cold for her."

The fans all "awwed" and sighed, but they would get to see her a different time. There was no way in hell she was being exposed to this at such a young age. She was going to be normal.

I signed a couple more and I took a couple pictures with different people, but told them that I had to go. I was nearly jogging back to the bus.

I went into the bus and all I could hear was screaming coming from Adelynn. I ran to the back, "What's wrong?!"

 

 

Chapter 4 by arokaholic

"Aje, she's fine, man," I heard Kevin say, "Just a little hungry."

I took a breath, thank God. I thought she had gotten hurt, if she would've gotten hurt, I would've...

"Alex, here you go," my mom handed me the bottle and I took it from her. I picked up Adelynn from Kevin's arms as carefully as possible and put the bottle to her mouth. She was defintely hungry.

I felt blessed to have a baby who rarely cryed, only when she was hungry or really needed something. It was great on me, because I couldn't stand to hear that noise. Yet it still was a good noise, because it let me know everything was okay.

I stared at her while she drank her bottle and thought how hard this was, doing this alone. It was really stressing me out, I just didn't let it show. Even though it was stressful, it was cool. I felt superior to everyone else because I was doing it alone as a single father. I even felt more wholesome than Brian at times, and that has never happened.

Then I would have those days where I would feel awful... like, what would I say to her when she's old enough to see other kids have mommys? What if she starts to hate me? I hated my dad. But, no, I wasn't going to be like that. That's one of the reasons I couldn't give her up, I never wanted to be like the man I despied so much.

Brian then came onto the bus, all smiles.

"Howie and Nick told me to tell you to hurry up, they're leaving."

I had totally forgot.

"Oh, shit. Can you go out and tell them I'm not going?"

Brian looked shocked, "Your not?"

"You gonna be babysitting?" I asked, sarcastically.

"Well, no," Brian laughed, "But I thought that's why your mom was... oh well, nevermind. I'll go tell them."

Brian walked off of the bus again and my mom looked at me.

"Hon, you can go out if you want. I can watch over her."

I just shook my head, "Nah, mom. I'm not doing that to you... anyways, I'm gonna do the right thing for once in my life."

My mom just nodded her head and smiled, "Your doing a good job, really."

I took the bottle out of Adelynn's mouth, I could tell she was done. She almost looked tired again. Usually right after she ate she would fall asleep for another ten minutes or so. I let her nuzzle into my muscular chest and let her fall back asleep.

Brian came back on the bus and put his hand on my shoulder, "Welcome to the grown-up club, man. You’re now hanging with me and Kevin."

I just shook my head and laughed, "You mean the boring club, don't you?"

Brian and Kevin looked at each other and chuckled, "Yep."

Brian changed into his sweatpants and made himself comfortable on one bunk, and I decided to just sit down at the table and keep holding Adelynn. If I put her down, I knew she would start crying. My mom had already fallen asleep on the bed in the back and Kevin was sitting on the sofa watching TV.

"Brian?" I asked, but in my softest voice.

"Yeah?"

"Now I know why you don't bring Baylee on the road."

Brian laughed, "Yeah, definitely, its hard work."

"And I also understand why you, you know, always complain about missing your family so much," I shrugged, I wasn't going to admit that to him but there it went.

Brian just nodded, "It's tough. I'm happy for you, AJ. You deserve this."

Kevin added in, "You really do, man."

"Thanks," was all I could reply.

 

 

Chapter 5 by arokaholic

I stepped into my house, and just took a deep breath of air. It felt so good to be home. I plopped my two suitcases down that I had in both my hands and I looked behind me and saw my mom with Adelynn in her arms.

She was now sitting up better when you held her. You didn't have to carry her like you were cradling her anymore, you could put your arm around her butt and just prop her head up a little, and she had it. She was still a tiny baby though. She had already gained around 8 pounds since she was born.

I leaned over towards my mom, "I'll take her."

Her eyes were wide open and she smiled the biggest smile I had ever seen. I loved her little personality that was coming out now.

I had kept the poor thing on the road with me for a month and a half, it was finally good to be home so I could try and raise her normally. Try to find out what it's really like.

I brought into the living room and placed her in the baby swing that I had set up for her before we had left. My arms were killing me from holding her so much, she was definitely a workout.

"Mom, I know your exhausted, you can go if you want," I told her.

"I won't if you don't want me to... I know you need some help."

"Mom, I'll be okay. I think me and her need some time alone."

"Okay, I'll go home and get some rest. You call me if you need anything."

She leaned over and kissed my cheek, and soon enough she was headed out the door.

I sighed and looked over at Adelynn. She looked uncomfortable, all scrunched up in her swing. But she seemed to enjoy it.

She tried to lift her head up, with no luck. I chuckled.

"Daddy'll get ya, baby," I picked her up and I let her rest her head on my shoulder.

"Your daddy's a mess right now, you know that? All because your mommy. But you don't know your mommy... you don't know the woman who gave birth to you."

I stoked her tiny back a little bit and just kept talking.

"You'll be okay, though. I think you'll do just fine being raised by your old man. You know why? 'Cause I'm gonna be the best daddy in the world. I'll be one of those cool dads, don't you worry."

I heard her let out a tiny sigh which made me chuckle some more.

"Your a character, you know that?" I told her, even though I knew she wasn't listening.

She may have been listening, though. You never know.

"Me and you are on our own now. No more Uncle Nicky to help, or Uncle Brian, Howie or Kevin. You'll still see them a lot though, don't worry. And grandma."

I noticed I was swaying back and forth.

I could hear my cellphone start to ring and I groaned. I walked over to the kitchen counter and help Adelynn in my one arm while I picked up the cellphone in the other.

"Hello?"

"Long time, no talk," I heard Brian laugh.

"You ever gonna leave me alone?" I joked.

"Nah, man. Johnny told me to call all you guys and tell you in 2 weeks we're supposed to make an appearance at the Star Party in Minnesota."

"Are you serious?!"

"Yep. Sorry, man. I know you were looking forward to some time."

I sighed, "It's all good, though. You'll know we'll have fun once we get there, I guess."

I could hear crying in the background.

"Aje, I gotta go. Baylee's screaming in my ear. Talk later."

I shook my head, so that was what I was going to have to listen to for the next five years? Screaming, whining, crying... nah, my baby wouldn't be like that. Not my little girl.

 

 

Chapter 6 by arokaholic

Screaming. It was all I heard... ringing through my ears. I didn't know what to do with her, she wouldn't stop. I tried everything and nothing worked. I was getting pissed off now. She had everything she needed, what the hell was she screaming for?

I grabbed the phone and dialed Brian's number.

"Hello?"

"You've dealt with this before... what the fuck do I do with a screaming baby?" I asked.

"Is she hungry or something?"

"I've tried. I've tried everything."

"Does she have a stomachache?"

I rolled my eyes, "I dunno, Bri, lemme ask her."

I sighed. I hadn't meant to sound like a dick.

"Sorry. She's just been crying in my ear for an hour, and I don't know what to do."

"Try giving her a bath, yet?" Brian shrugged.

"Well, no... but she hates bathes."

"Just try it. Sometimes that would work for Baylee, it calms them down."

"Alright... I'll call you back and yell if it doesn't."

Brian just laughed. We hung up the phone and I picked up my screaming daughter.

Once we got upstairs, I layed her on her back on a blanket on the floor, so I could turn on the sink water and get the bath ready. She was still crying and my ears were ringing.

I quickly felt the temperature with my finger to make sure it wasn't too warm, and I looked at my screaming baby on the floor. I just shook my head and smiled.

"Your something, you know that... you got nothing to be crying about and yet you still do."

I laughed to myself and bent down to pick her up. When I lifted her into my arms, she quieted down a little bit. I rubbed the back of her head softly, "Shhhhhh."

I took off her little outfit that she had one and then managed to slip off her diaper. I placed her as softly as I could into the baby bath tub and let her soak for a while.

Maybe Brian was right afterall. She had calmed down. Finally.

"That's right, baby... shhh...," I whispered to her, and I started to scrub her body and get her clean.

She was constantly figeting, which was a pain in the ass to try and clean her but it was worth it to get that sound of my head.

She made one last cry before she finally started to shut her eyes. I smiled. It sounded like heaven had just broke though. I finished cleaning her up, and then as carefully as possible, I picked up her wet little self and leaned her on the towel that was draped over my shoulder.

She yawned and her eyes closed once again. Once I had gotten her into her room, she was pretty much asleep. But I had to get her dressed into her pajamas before she totally fell asleep. I put some powder over her entire body, and then slid the pajamas over her diaper. Then I layed her into her crib, where she fell right back asleep.

Once I had tip-toed down the stairs, I pretty much plopped down on the couch. My whole body felt numb. My legs hurt, my head hurt, my arms hurt, my eyes were itchy, I really should go to bed. I attempted to stand up, walk upstairs, and walk all the way down the hall to my room. But I zonked, right then and there.

 

Chapter 7 by arokaholic

I grunted as I hauled, what seemed, 300 pounds of baby stuff. I held the playpin, which was all folded up in a bag on my right arm, and on my other arm held Adelynn, who was in her carseat. Shoved in between my arms, was the diaper bag and a bag full of toys, food, and such for a two-night stay at grandma's house.

Me and the guys had to go to New York City, to do a TRL appearance for our new video. Then we had to go off and do a few press conferences about the new album. I had never been away from Adelynn for more than a few hours, and I was really worried.

I, firstoff, placed the carseat into the buckle. Then I shoved the bags full of stuff into the trunk.

"Woo," I sighed, as I slammed the trunk door shut.

I ran back onto the front porch, and grabbed my own bags for a couple days in New York. Then I stuck them next to me in the passenger seat. It was way too early, the sun hadn't even risen yet. Finally, I made my way to the drivers seat to drive to my mom's house.

Once we got there, she seemed to instinctively know what exact time we would be there because she was standing on the front porch waiting for us. She smiled and waved when we pulled into her driveway. I smiled back at her.

She noticed all the stuff I had piled up, "Honey, you overpacked. Let me help you."

"I got it, mom."

I unbuckled the carseat and carried it into the house, then set her down gently on the floor. She'd be fine for a couple of minutes.

I saw my mom trying to carry the playpin in, but I went over and grabbed it from her hands, "Mom, you can't carry that stuff. Lemme do it."

She shook her head, "Just because I'm old doesn't mean anything."

I laughed, "I never said you were old! Your a hot mama!" I joked, and winked at her.

She just chuckled, "Keep dreaming, Alex. I'm putting on a lot of weight here... I'm not no hot mama."

"Ah, mom, shut up. You look great. And thanks for taking Adelynn for me... you know, I'm gonna call like every 5 minutes. And you better answer the damn phone. I'm gonna be worried."

"Honey, I promise you, she's in good hands."

"I know she is. I just, have never been away from her for more than a couple hours. You know how big of a worrywart I am."

She smiled, "You were never a worrywart until your daughter was born. But that's a good thing. It's healthy to worry about your kids. If you don't, there's something wrong."

"I guess so."

She stood on her tip-toes to give me a big hug, and I wrapped my arms around her back.

"Love you, mama. I better get moving... I got a flight to catch."

"Okay, honey."

I sighed a little bit, and walked up the porch stairs and saw Adelynn fast asleep in her car seat. I just stared at her for a few moments, before leaning down to softly kiss her head.

"Your daddy misses you already, baby. Be good for grandma," I whispered, before kissing her one more time.

Before I knew it, I was on the road heading to the airport. As I traveled down the roads, I got a chance to get my head together. This was hard. But Adelynn was the best thing that ever happened to me. And she always will be. I couldn't understand Claire's brain and how she could give up her own child? Someone that came out of her?

I shook the thoughts from my head. Good. Claire can miss out on everything. I get to be the one who fixes her first scratched knee, and watches her go on the school bus to kindergarten, and comforts her when she's crying. Me. Nobody else. Call me selfish, but I loved it.

 

Chapter 8 by arokaholic

"What the fuck is this?!" I screamed out in anger, as I held the magazine close to my face.

Nick came running out of the bathroom, "What? What happened?!"

I just sighed and threw the paper down on the table, then pounded my fist over top of it, "This happened."

Nick picked up the magazine and opened it to the page I had been looking at. He quickly skimmed the article, and just looked at me. He didn't really know what to say.

"I should've known this was going to happen, I don't know why I'm so pissed," I threw my arms up in question.

Nick just shrugged, "I know how you feel, man. Believe me."

I couldn't help but laugh. Nick did have a lot of bad shit posted about him in The Enquier, especially when he was dating that no-good bitch. Paris Hilton. I laughed remembering the time they were together.

My eyes went back to the article and I just shook my head, looking at the paparazzi photo taken of me carrying Adelynn into my mom's house. How do they even find this stuff out? And how do they get it posted so quick? It was just yesturday, for Christ's sake.

I couldn't believe it. My daughter was already in the tabloids. My new born daughter. I didn't want this! This was what I was trying to protect her from.

"Atleast it's not... bad, you know?" Nick looked at me.

"I guess so," I shrugged, "But, I don't want it happening anymore."

"There's no way to stop it, dude."

I looked at Nick, not wanting to believe him. I knew he was right. I wasn't an idiot, I had been in the business long enough to know these things happen.

"I know what I need to do...," I sighed.

Nick just looked at me, waiting for an answer.

"I think the next photoshoot we do, I need to bring her. I think we should just... show her to everybody. Let them get their pictures, and that's it."

"We?" Nick's eyebrows raised, "You need to decide that."

I sighed, "I know."

"My opinion... you should. The pictures would turn out good, and it would show people you really are a good dad. 'Cause you are, you know."

"I could be a way better father to her."

"Your doing fine, bro."

I nodded in response to Nick's question, thank God he felt the same way, because I thought I was doing a pretty damn good job. I just didn't want to sound conceited, you know.

"Well, I'm gonna try to get a nap in before the press conference," Nick said, "So I'm heading down to my hotel room. You should sleep, too, you know. You look tired."

"I am," I replied, "Maybe I will try to sleep."

Nick headed out the door, and he closed it quietly shut. I sighed and made my way to the bed. I opened my arms open wide, and just fell into the bed. I smiled to myself, and I don't know why. I took off my shirt, trying to get comfortable.

My eyes wouldn't close. I kept thinking about everything. Claire... why did she always enter my mind? It's not like we had anything special, right? I mean, we talked maybe a total of 7 times. And she was the mother of my child, it was just weird.

I pushed my bedcovers aside, and slid out of bed. I had to check on Adelynn. I wonder if she was being good for my mom.

 

Chapter 9 by arokaholic
I lifted Adelynn up in the air and she was in a giggle fit. I was cracking up right along with her, and I wasn't even paying
attention to the photographer. He was snapping pictures of me and her together and I just wasn't even looking at him. Which was, supposely,
a good thing. It made a better picture.



I was shirtless and Adelynn was in nothing but a diaper. I brought her back down into my arms to calm her down from laughing so hard. The flashes
finally stopped going off, and I looked at the photographer.



"What do you think?" I asked.



"They're gonna be very good pictures. I have to tell you, you and your daughter are cute together.
You didn't even realize I was in the room."



I just laughed, "Sorry."



"No! Don't be sorry! It's a good thing... the pictures are going to turn out great, I know it."



I shrugged, "Well, that's a good thing."



My eyes turned towards the other side of the room where the other guys were waiting. I felt bad, like I was hogging the spotlight or something. But
it needed to be done. I needed to show the fans and press Adelynn. And we hadn't had any professional pictures
anyways, and my mom loved those type of things to hang on her wall.



Kevin came over, and patted my shoulder, "They're gonna be good pictures, I think."



I nodded, and reached over to pick up my shirt, which was laying on the ground. I slid the t-shirt on
over my head.



"My mom'll like 'em," I replied.



"Alright... all 5 of the guys! Come over here!"



I could hear the photographer shouting through the warehouse.





After three hours of photo-taking, all of the Boys finally started to head out.



"Ajjjjeee?!" I heard someone yelling my name, trying to get my attention.



I turned around, it was Nick, waving frantically. He was such a nut, he always made a big scene
about nothing, I laughed to myself.



"What?" I shrugged, holding Adelynn in my arms.



Nick was now out of breath, from running after me. He took a deep breath
and then continued, "Me and the fellas are goin' out to get something
to eat. We want you there too."



I just nodded, "Okay. It's cool though, if I bring Addy, right?"



"Oh yeah, totally. We're just getting some quick lunch somewhere simple."



So, I ended up turning back around. Adelynn was non-stop fidgeting, and she was constantly
moving her arms around. Which, then, ended up always hitting me in the face. She found it funny,
and thought it was a joke. I couldn't help but laugh, no matter how many scratches I ended up
with on my face.



I saw Brian walk over to me and he just smiled, "Your little girl's beating you up already?"



"Yeah," I chuckled, slighty moving her hand away, "Already."



Brian reached over and started to tickle her stomach, "Aww.. your a cute little one. Yes you are!"
He kept talking in baby talk, and Adelynn was giggling.



"Bri, you look really funny," I stated plainly, and I was about to start cracking up at the faces he was making.



"Come on, dude!" I heard Nick yell from across the room, and he waved motioning for us to follow.



So, we did. And we headed out to go get lunch.

Chapter 10 by arokaholic
I rolled over and let out a big sigh. My arm slowly slided out from the warmth of my blankets, and I moved my hand around until I finally felt the big button with 'snooze' written on it.

"Only five more minutes," I mumbled to myself and put my arm back under the covers.

Oh God, the feelings you get when your woken up in the morning by an alarm clock are unexplainable. It sucks to the 20th power, and you always just had to hit snooze. The warmth around my entire body from my covers was something I never wanted to escape from.

I finally opened my eyes, and I was squinting trying to adjust them to the bright light shining through the shades. I managed to look at the clock, [i]6:09am[/i]. Way too damn early. Why wasn't Adelynn crying? Did I forget to put the baby monitor on? Maybe she decided to let her daddy sleep for an extra hour.

I smiled to myself, and my eyes started to slowly close again.

No, I have to wake up. NOW.

I grumbled nothing in particular to myself, and while trying to get out of bed... I fell right back into the position I was in before.

After about ten minutes, I finally managed to slide my legs out from under the covers and get up. I sat on the end of the bed for a few moments, scratching the back of my head, trying to get my head together and focused to get my lazy ass up.

I stretched and then yawned, finally managing to push open the bathroom door. I had to piss.

When I got done peeing, I went over to the sink and leaned on the counter. I stared at myself in the mirror for a minute. My hair was sticking up everywhere, it was actually pretty grown out and it's normal color of black again. My mustache was overgrown, and needed to be shaved and my eyes had big bags under them. Taking care of an infant was hard work, and it took it's toll on your physical appearance.

I was worn out. I hadn't worked out in over three weeks, and my body was going to the shits. I need help. I just rubbed my hands across my face and sighed, and then went over to start the shower. I turned the handle all the way around and it made a squeeky noise. Something I had been meaning to get fixed.

I shut my eyes for about five seconds tightly, and then opened them again, hoping to wake me up. Maybe I should make sure Adelynn's okay, she could be laying there awake.

I made my way out of my room and seconds later entered Adelynn's nursery. I could still hear the soft sounds of the Mozart cd that was playing. I cracked a smile, but my smile quickly faded when I looked in the crib. Where is she? What? What's happening? Where's Adelynn?! Where's my daughter?!

I furiosly searched the room, praying that maybe she had climbed or fell out of her crib. Where is my daughter?! I ran down the stairs as quick as possible, I searched the whole house. Where is she?! Oh, God, where is she? No, this can't be happening. How... why... who... what's going on?!

Suddenly, I fell to the floor. I curled myself in a ball, and I just started to cry. It happened to fast, I couldn't think straight. How could she just not be there? That means somebody kidnapped her, right? Oh, my baby... my poor baby, she's out there alone scared without her daddy. How could I let this happen?

I quickly ran back upstairs to my room, I was rushing around the whole house in hopes I might find her. I looked... and the baby monitor had been turned off. I would've heard everything. I would've. This was my damn fault, and now my daughter was stolen. Tears streamed down my face, I had never been so scared in my life. How do I get to the bottom of this?

Don't let anything happen to my baby, I prayed. Don't let anything happen.
Chapter 11 by arokaholic
I knew the first person to call. And I did.

"Where the fuck is she?!" I screamed, not meaning to sound so angry. But how could I hide it? I was angry, my daughter was missing for God's sake.

"AJ?" the voice asked back, confused.

"YES, Claire. Me. Where is she?" I almost yelled back.

"What are you talking about? Our daughter? AJ, are you telling me you don't know where our daughter is?!"

"Now she's our daughter? No, Claire, she's my daughter. And I wanna know why the fuck you stole her back from me."

"What are you talking about?!" she yelled back at me.

"You want me to believe that someone else besides you just came into my house in the middle of the night and took her from me?" I didn't want to, but I began to cry. I was sobbing. I was crying to this woman I didn't even know.

"Oh, God, Claire... give her back to me," I was now crying even more, I could hardly get the words out. "Give her back to me. My baby, my life, my love... she's gone. Oh my God, she's gone."

It was all I could say. She was gone. Adelynn was not in my hands, and she was stolen from me. My own child! No! How could this be?

I could hear Claire sigh on the other end and then suddenly I heard, "Oh. My. God."

"What?" I asked, annoyed.

"I know who did it. I know who stole our...," she stopped, "Your daughter."

"So you WERE involved!" I screamed.

"No! God, AJ... I wouldn't do that. You should know that."

I rolled my eyes, "Really? I should know that? I should know that when I don't even know YOU! Claire, I don't know you. I don't know your favorite food, favorite kind of clothes, your life, I don't know shit about you! So really, it could've been you. For all I know, your a compulsive liar!"

"Oh, I see how your gonna be. I was going to tell you it was probably my mother."

"Your mother?!" I was shocked, "Why the hell would your mother do it? Claire, just get her back to me!"

"My mom and me have been fighting. She thinks I should've been there for raising my child."

You should've, I thought.

"And she thinks... she thinks you can't. She has this thing against men, and you... with your tattoos and everything, I guess you - well, intimidate her."

"So she steals my child?!" You have got to be kidding me.

"AJ, I'll help you, okay? I'll get to the bottom of this. I'm... sorry? I guess. I don't know what to say."

"There's nothing you can say. But you better get my daughter back to me today... I'm not sitting around this house any longer. Waiting and waiting, and thinking about her. Wondering where she is, and staring at her empty room. Get her the fuck back to me, or there will be lawsuits. I've already spoken to my lawyer and everyones on the lookout for her. Except me, God damnit."

"I'll help. Is all I can say."

Click.

How can you end a conversation like THAT? I continued sitting on the couch, my foot constantly tapping. I took a deep breath in and out. How could this happen? It was because of my career, because my look. I never imagined the way I looked would lose me my daughter? What does that have to do with anything?

I have tattoos, does that mean I don't love my daughter? She's the center of my life, sometimes too much. All I do is think about her. I would die for her. And that has never happened in my life. I've never had a love so strong, and never felt like someone was so dependent on me before. It was a nice break from being dependant on everyone else. Now, someone needed me.

And I needed her right now, and she wasn't here.

My little girl... what if I never saw her again? That bitch better not lay a finger on her. I wouldn't have had a problem letting Claire see her, but she didn't want to. Her mother didn't have anything to do with this. How did she get into my house? Why didn't my alarm go off? Had I not set it?

My mind was racing, and my thoughts weren't clear. I just needed my daughter back safe in my arms. Is that so much to ask?
Chapter 12 by arokaholic
"Mr. McLean, I'm going to get your daughter back in your hands. I can promise you that."

I couldn't really make out what he was saying, I couldn't concentrate. How could I?

"Okay," was all I said in reply.

"Our leading suspects are Claire and her mother, Mrs. Miller, whom we haven't found or gotten a hold of," replied Mr. Joe Turner.

I was only concerned about one thing.

"Do you think Claire did it?" I asked.

"It's definitely a possibility. What about your friends? Anybody around you act weird lately or say something strange to you? Something that could be taken to concern?"

I shrugged and shook my head, "No."

Joe was a big dude. He was a muscular, tall, black man that AJ had hired to find the kidnapper. He had lots of experience, so AJ trusted him.

I turned my head when I noticed my mom, almost out of breath, and she seemed to be running towards me. I stood up to greet her.

"Honey, I came as soon as I heard...," she took a deep breath and just looked at me.

I went over to her and right when I gave her a hug, I just started to cry. I layed my head on her shoulder like a little four year old, and tears were pouring out down my face making her shirt soaked with tears. I squeezed her tightly and just let loose.

She was rubbing my back, "We're gonna find her."

I just nodded and wiped my eyes.

"Do any of the guys know?" I asked.

"I called Kevin. I think they're all flying out here, baby."

I nodded. That was good... they always kept me sane.

This whole situation was just so surreal. I couldn't believe this was happening to me, I couldn't believe my daughter was kidnapped. Missing. She was here, and then one morning she was just gone.

I turned my attention to the television, and I squinted trying to see. It was me... that was my picture. I walked closer to it.

AJ McLean, a Backstreet Boy's daughter is missing.
Adelynn was stolen from his home in the middle of
Sunday night. McLean is on the lookout for her,
and has hired the top professionals to find her.
Suspects, so far, include mother of young Adelynn,
Claire Miller and her mother, Diane Miller. If
anybody has any information, please contact us.


I shook my head and sighed, would I ever find her? My mom had been watching too. Where did Joe go off too? I wondered. I, then, heard him on his phone in the next room. I listened in.

By then, he was already entering the room again and he looked at me right in the eye.

"Claire's missing."

Huh? I was stunned.
Chapter 13 by arokaholic
Kevin was the first one to show up. He wasn't really doing anything for me though, except sitting on the couch next to me and praying with me. I guess it was a relief, though -- it made me calmer. But it didn't stop the tears. When Kevin brought her up, tears started welling in my eyes again.

I felt so useless. There was nothing I could do, except sit around and wait for more information. More information about my missing child. What was worse was I knew who the criminal was who stole her, it was her own mother. And she was nowhere to be found.

Kevin looked at me, and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Brian said the fans have sent so many support letters, and a lot of people have started searches around LA, looking for her," Kevin told me.

I just nodded and my lip kind of curled, "And what am I doing? I'm sitting here on my ass, just waiting for news on her. If she's safe, if she's even fucking alive."

Kevin frowned, "She's alive, AJ."

I knew that, of course I knew that.

"I know," I replied.

I could hear the front door closing and the beep of the alarm going off. I had been making sure to set that from now on.

"Pizza's here!" was all I heard Nick scream and he appeared in the room with a pizza box.

Kevin put some on a plate for me and layed it on the table in front of me. I didn't really even touch it, though.

"AJ, you gotta eat, man," Nick told me, concerned. He was always concerned with me lately.

"I know. I'm just not hungry," I shrugged.

I heard my cellphone ringing loudly, and I quickly reached over to answer it. Without even looking at the caller ID, I picked up, "Hello?"

I knew it was Joe Turner.

"Hey, sir. We have Claire Miller in custody down here at the police center...," I wouldn't let him finish his sentence.

"Where's Adelynn?!"

"Claire's claiming she knows where Adelynn is, and it's not her fault and that she's sorry."

I laughed in an angry sense, "Yeah, real fucking sorry. Tell her a sorry won't cut it. Do you need me to come down to the station?"

"No, not unless you want to. I'm getting things out of her right now. She says she got paid to do this, and whoever has Adelynn was planning on asking for a shit load of money for you to get her back. But now she says she's not involved whatsoever anymore, and she asked him to stop the deal and he wouldn't listen. But she knows where is. And this man has records. We will find her, AJ, within the next days. I promise."

"You better. I trust you, okay?"

"She will be in your hands before or on Wednesday."

I was putting her life in this guy's hands. She better be back in my arms by Wednesday.
Chapter 14 by arokaholic
I looked in the mirror and groaned. Now I really hadn't slept in days. My beard had completely turned into just thick pieces of hair all around my face. I looked skinny and bony, and my eyes were completely dull.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned around to see Kevin. I smiled as best as I could.

"AJ, get yourself clean. Hop in the shower, shave... you should try to get some rest, too," he told me.

"I know," was all I could say back. It was because I did know all that, I just didn't want to. I was so weak everywhere, I had no energy.

"What if-"

"I'll sit by the phone," Kevin answered before I even finished my question.

I sighed. Why'd he have to do this to me?

"Alright, but get outta the bathroom, wouldya?" I tried to crack a smile, no matter how upset I was.

Kevin returned the smile and walked out of the bathroom. I locked the door behind me, and started the shower water.

I closed my eyes and let the water collide with my face. I took in a deep breath, she was going to be back. I knew she would.

Once I got out, I wrapped a towel around my waist and took out my razor. I carefully slid it against my face, trimming my goatee and making it look decent once again. Satisfied with what I had done, I placed the razor back in the bathroom cabinet.

I looked at myself once again, and realized I looked a little better. Just a little.

Fuck Claire.

It came into my head randomly, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. How could she do this to me? How could she steal my daughter? If she needed money that bad, I would've given her some. We didn't need to go through this.

I would now always feel much more for the missing children you see on milk cartons, and posters. I can never look at them the same. What if Adelynn was on those posters one day?

NO, she wouldn't be though.

Suddenly, it hit me. Today was Tuesday, the day before Detective Joe promised he'd get her back to me. I just silently shook my head.

By the time I walked downstairs, I noticed all the guys were here except Howie. Brian must've just gotten there, while I was in the shower. He walked up to me, but he didn't smile like the usual Brian, he just gave me a strong hug and then released.

"I'm so sorry," was all he could say.

"Me too," I replied back.

I could tell Brian was really, truly worried. Maybe he was the only one who really understood, since he had a kid himself.

"Where's Howie?" I asked.

"He's on his way," Kevin spoke up, "He just called not too long ago, and said his flight got delayed. He's still in Orlando. He's coming as quick as he can. He's really worried about you."

I just nodded.

"I brought your mail in for you," Nick pointed to the pile on the table, "Trying to do a good deed."

"Thanks," I walked over and picked all the papers up.

Junk, I thought, more junk... as I went through the scattered papers and magazines. Then I stopped. I just stared at the issue of People magazine.

We were on the cover. The picture of me and Adelynn got put on the cover. I looked at my face -- look how happy I was. That was the biggest smile I've ever seen on me.

And look at her face. Look her little chubby, rosy cheeks and her dark, curly hair. That was my baby.

I could feel everybody's eyes staring at me. Nobody knew what to do or say. Hell, I didn't. I was confused so much, and I didn't know if I had any tears left even if I wanted to cry.

My cellphone began to ring.

"Hello? Joe?" I asked, instinctively knowing it was him.

"We've got Adelynn."

My heart dropped down to my knees, and my shoulders loosened up as the weight was lifted. Is she okay? I wondered.
Chapter 15 by arokaholic
I nearly ran into the police station, and almost tripped a couple of times. It didn't matter though, I was gonna see my baby again. It had seemed so much longer than only 3 days. I spotted paparazzi over by the window, I tried not to pay attention to them.

My eyes wandered the whole room, where was Joe?

I went up to some random desk, "Where's Detective Joe Turner?"

The lady looked up slowly from the papers on her desk. She placed her glasses on the bridge of her nose and looked back at me, "Sir, your going to have to wait a moment. I'm busy."

I rolled my eyes. You have got to be kidding me. The lady went right back to what she was doing. I tapped my fingers on the desk and my foot was also quietly tapping. After about thirty seconds, I looked back at the lady. Who the hell does she think she is?

I pounded my fist on top of her papers and between gritted teeth I whispered as loud as I could, "Listen, lady, my daughter is still not in my hands. She's still missing. So if you don't fucking mind, you will lead me to Joe Turner's office."

She seemed surprised, and she slowly backed up. She took the glasses off of her face, and began to stand up.

"Right this way, sir," she started walking and I took a deep breath and followed. She opened the door which read "Detect. Joe Turner" and I could see him sitting at his desk.

The lady just nodded, and then closed the door behind her, as she left Joe and I alone.

"Where is she?" I asked.

"She's at the hospital...," he began to say and I almost freaked and spoke up when he held his hands up and said, "Wait! Before you freak... she's fine. They brought her there immediately after just to make sure she was okay, and they ran tests and we're gonna go there now and see her."

"Oh, thank God," I sighed and then I smiled to myself. He did it... Joe Turner got me my daughter back.

The whole car ride there was complete silence, Joe decided to drive with me. My chin was rested on my fist, which leaned on the inside of the car door. The scenery outside seemed to pass so slowly, and each minute seemed like an hour. This was the longest drive of my life.

Finally, we reached the front of the hospital. Joe had a special parking permit which allowed us a space right up front, which was good for me so I didn't have to deal with fans right now.

We walked up to the front desk and Joe spoke first, "Hi, Detective Joe Turner here... we're here to pick up Adelynn McLean."

"Ah, yes. The famous McLean," she sighed, "May I see some ID?"

I reached into my back pocket and took out my wallet, showing her my ID. Man, I hated that picture. Then Joe did the same thing.

I looked as she typed something in her computer and then she looked up at us and smiled, "Room 408 on the second floor."

I nodded and we both thanked her as we took off to the elevators.

We got upstairs and I turned right into Room 408. There she was.

She was right there... I walked up slowly to the baby bed that she was in. I just smiled as I looked down at her. Her chest was beating up and down, and her eyes were closed yet they kept flickering. I wanted so bad to just pick her up and hold her in my arms, but I didn't have the heart to wake her.

All the sudden, a nurse came in the room.

"Hello, I'm Carly," she reached out her hand and I shook it.

"How is she?" I asked.

"She's perfectly fine. You were lucky, Dad," she smiled.

Dad. It was weird to hear that still.

"Thank you so much," was all I could say.

Her little eyes opened. I looked down and grinned at her, "Hi, sweetie. Your daddy's here now... forever."

She smiled her toothless smile at me and I just laughed. I laughed yet I still had a tear rolling down my cheek, because I was so happy to see her again. I bent over and picked her up and layed her on my chest, then she relaxed her head on my shoulder.

I held onto her as tight as I could without hurting her and kept kissing her forehead. Joe patted my back a couple of times and smiled, "Congratulations, man. I'm glad I could help."

"Look... without you, I couldn't have done this. Thank you."

Joe just nodded, he knew how much it meant to me.

"Claire's going to prison, but was only sententenced to a year. The man who kidnapped her, he's already a felon. He was on probation when this happened... you'll never have to worry about him. He's been sentenced to life because a week before he kidnapped your daughter, he killed and raped a woman," Joe shook his head, "Mmm mmm, people are sick. I just wanted to tell you so you knew what was going on."

"Thanks, Joe," I nodded.

I looked at Adelynn's face and smiled. That was my baby, alright.
Chapter 16 by arokaholic
I watched Adelynn giggle, her whole body seemed to rumble with laughter. Nick was making faces at her and she was getting a kick out of it.

Everybody was at my house when I brought her home. My mom had come back, and Howie had finally made it and his plane was on time. I was happy they were all there to show their support, for me and for Adelynn. She loved them. I was just glad she was back.

I smiled when I heard the song on the radio, I leaned over and turned the volume up.

All I have
And all I do
Cannot compare
To the love of you

This was my song to her. I sung it to her occasionally before putting her to bed. Well, before the incident, I did.

You make me feel alive
You are my highest high
All I can do is smile
When I look in my little girl's eyes

I watched Adelynn as I hummed along. Everybody was seated around the floor, as she sat in the middle on her blanket which was full of baby toys. She was hamming it up and had everybody laughing.

You're my star
And when I'm far
You're not alone
'Cause your heart's my home

I went over to join everybody else on the floor, I layed down on my stomach so I could be at Adelynn's level. She smiled right when she saw me, and I did the same. Kevin patted my back and grinned at me, "She's so cute, J."

You are my biggest prize
So beautiful and so wise
I can see the woman from within my child
When I look in my little girl's eyes

Everybody left after a couple of hours, going back to their own families. I told them all I was fine, as long as Adelynn was here with me now.

I began to carry her upstairs with me, and she softly laid her head on my shoulder. I tried to walk as slowly as possible and help her go to sleep but her eyes still managed to stay open. I tip-toed into my bedroom. "Your too cute," I sighed, and noticed her eyes were heavy. She must be exhausted. She's had a long couple of days.

I couldn't help but wonder... what happened to her? How was she treated? Did that man ever hurt her? Oh, it made me go crazy inside. I wanted to go and shoot Claire and the man for doing this. Putting me through this -- I didn't deserve it. I'm raising our child, how dare she?

I was going to try and not let it bother me. All I cared about was Adelynn, and I had made that promise the day she was born.

I layed her in her crib, which was now placed in my room. Not forever... but just until I felt safe enough again. She was going to be right with me.

I kissed the top of her head softly and layed her into the crib.

I couldn't stop staring at her, though. She was back with me, and would be forever. I had to raise this little girl by myself.

I laughed to myself, what happens when she gets her first boyfriend? I won't be ready for that. What about when she's old enough to understand that she has no mommy? Just a daddy? I looked down at her once again, before smiling one last time before going to bed.

You make me feel alive
And you are my highest high
All I want to do when I come into the room is see her smile
When I look in my little girl's eyes

I crawled under the warm covers and peeked over at the sleeping baby, then began to close my eyes. Finally - a good night sleep.

When I look in my little girl's eyes
Chapter 17 by arokaholic
"I said no, Nick!" my voice slightly raising.

He sighed, "Come ooonnn."

He was whining, I hated when he started to whine.

"I don't want to go out tonight. Stop pestering me about it!"

"Aje, you haven't gone out in forever. Please, just come to the club for a night."

"Who's gonna watch Adelynn?" I questioned.

"You know damn well you can get a babysitter."

I shook my head, "I'm not leaving her with just anybody, you should know that, Nick."

"Brian and Leighanne will take her - and you know it. They're still in LA, too."

"Why? Why do you do this to me?" I groaned.

Nick smiled, "So that's a yes?"

"No!" I yelled back.

"Alright, we're leaving in about 20 minutes so get ready quick."

Nick walked away quickly before I could even respond. He was good. Once he walked away, I could never say no to him. How did he do that? I wondered.

I jogged up the stairs and went straight into the bathroom. I wasn't going to take another shower, there wasn't enough time. I'd just have to clean myself up as much as possible. I picked out an outfit and changed into it, placed a black beanie on my head and I couldn't forget all my rings and necklaces.

I picked up the phone and dialed Brian's number.

"Hello?"

"Rok, it's AJ."

"What's up?" he asked.

"Nick convinced me to go out with him..."

"That's good, Bone. You need that for a night."

"You too? Geesh," I said, "Anyways, I need you and Leigh to help with Adelynn for me. Can you do that?"

"Of course. Bring her on over."

"Thanks, Bri."

I could hear Nick yelling my name from downstairs. I rolled my eyes, "I'm coming!" I screamed back.

I looked at him, shoving food in his face and crumbs were falling onto his shirt and then slid down to the floor.

"Do you mind?"

"What?" he mumbled and shrugged his shoulders. I pointed to the floor and he just looked down and back up, "Oops."

I walked into the living room where Adelynn had been sitting in her playpin. I reached in and picked her up, "Hey, baby."

She giggled and I laughed right back.

"Go to Uncle Nicky while I get your stuff ready...," I handed her over to him and he smiled.

"What would your daddy do without your Uncle Nicky?" Nick lifted her up in the air and AJ rolled his eyes once again as he walked into the other room.

He came back, 10 minutes later, with an armfull of stuff.

"Jesus, AJ, she's gonna be there for one night."

I shook my head, "I know. Believe me, she needs all this."

Nick just shrugged and he held onto Adelynn's little hands and bent over as he tried to help her walk by herself. She could only do it for a little bit without getting tired and plopping down onto her butt.

"Can you carry her out to the car for me? Put her in her seat? I'll carry all this shit out."

Nick nodded, "Yeah."

----------------------------------

The music was blaring through the speakers, and the lights flashed different colors all over. AJ looked around at all the drunk idiots dancing on the floor. I can't do this. I shouldn't be doing this.

"AJ? Come on!" Nick shouted and waved over to me.

Nick was already drunk, I could tell. He was a light-weight, he would drink five beers and act like he was wasted. But I went over to where he wanted me to.

"This is Jill," Nick pointed to the woman next to him, "She wanted to meet you."

I just smiled and stuck my hand out, we shook hands.

"I'm AJ," I replied.

"I'm Jill," she smiled back.

Damn. She was beautiful. Nick always managed to find the good ones. I eyed her boobs but didn't want to seem rude by staring. They were nice. I shook my head... snap out of it!

"Nick says your in need of a date...," she slyly grinned.

Nick must've been too smart because he was already gone, knowing I would've kicked his ass.

"Uhm, well... I dunno about that," I laughed but I opened my eyes and BAM! Her lips were on mine. I don't know how it happened, but it did. And I liked it. Oh, God, it had been so long.

I placed my hand around her waist and looked down at her pretty face. She was beautiful.

"Follow me," she took my hand and began leading me through the crowd.

This was gonna be one crazy night.
Chapter 18 by arokaholic
I looked down at her and twirled her hair in between my fingers. She was peacefully sleeping, so I tried not to wake her. Man, that felt good. Her eyes started to flutter open and I grinned and kissed her lips, "That was good, baby, thanks."

"You weren't so bad yourself," she sat up, holding the sheets around her still.

"I can cook you breakfast...," I offered.

She just laughed, "You can cook?!"

I was kinda took back that she really was surprised. Here I was trying to be romantic and she was making fun of me. I stuck my tounge out at her, "I can cook, c'mon. I'm a single dad, I've learned how to cook."

"Your a... dad?" she asked.

I forgot I hadn't really mentioned that bit to her.

I just shrugged, "Yep. She's over at my friend Brian's house right now."

"Aw," she smiled, "That's cute."

She paused for a moment and we both looked in each other's eyes.

"Alright, get up off your butt and make me some breakfast," she grinned and I felt her hand travel up my leg and... wow.

I crawled out of bed and looked at the scattered clothes all over the floor. I threw my boxers on, and then my sweatpants overtop. I walked downstairs and into my kitchen, and stretched my arms out. It was too quiet without Adelynn here, it was kinda weird.

I bent over to get the pan out of the cabinet and I could feel my fucking rolls. I had completely lost any sign of a six pack. I was mad at myself for ruining my body over our break.

I heard a knock on the door and wondered who could be here so early in the morning. I began to walk over there, and when my bare feet hit the freezing cold tile, I got a chill through my body.

I moved the curtain to look through the window and was relived when it was just Brian.

Wait -- oh, shit. He couldn't find out I had a chick in here. Shit.

I opened the door for him, he was carrying what seemed all of Adelynn's stuff, including her. I opened up my mouth and smiled, reaching out my arms for her. Brian handed her over to me and I kissed her face, "Baby girl, were you good?"

Brian made his way into my house, laying down the playpin and the diaper bag, "She was an angel."

I lifted her up in the air and she started to laugh, "That's my baby!"

"Did you have fun last night?" Brian asked.

"Yup, good time."

Brian picked up the playpin once again, "Here, lemme bring this upstairs for you..."

"Wait!" I stopped him, "I got it."

Brian stopped for a moment, and grinned, "Woah, woah, woah... you gotta chick up there?"

"No, I just... I got it."

"You do!" Brian laughed.

I put my finger to my mouth, "Shhh, would you keep it down?"

Brian just shook his head and laughed, "I was trying to do you a favor... sorry... I didn't know I'd interuppt anything."

"No, it's fine, Rok. She just found out I had a kid anyways, so I might as well introduce her."

Brian just patted my shoulder, "Alright, then I'll be leaving."

"Thanks, Bri," I smiled.

He left pretty quickly and I was holding Adelynn in one arm, as I managed to cook with the other. I bounced her up and down occasionally to keep her occupied.

Once I was finished, I grabbed the tray of eggs and still hung on to Adelynn in my other arm. I managed to walk up the stairs with the plate, and my little girl. When I entered the room, I saw Jill's face and it was priceless.

"She's adorable!" she screetched.

I just laughed. Adelynn wasn't too sure about this new person, though. She looked a little scared but once she looked up at my face to make sure everything was okay, she took right to her.

I placed the tray down in front of Jill and she smiled, "Thank you."

"Your welcome."

That was when I realized chicks really dig you when you've got a little baby, it gets them all sentimental.
Chapter 19 by arokaholic
"Hmm... what to eat, what to eat," I mumbled to nobody in particular, as I rummaged through the cabniets looking for something to eat.

I looked over at Adelynn, who was sitting quietly in her highchair, playing with her little toy.

"What do you want to eat, huh, baby?" I looked at her, but she wasn't paying attention to me. She kept fidgeting with whatever she had in her hand. I sighed and shrugged.

"I wasn't hungry anyways," I went over and sat down at the kitchen table.

I sloutched in my chair, and then leaned over and kissed Adelynn's soft head. Now she looks at me.

"Welcome to the world, baby," I laughed to myself and she just giggled.

I could see small little white things getting ready to pop up... soon she would no longer be the toothless Adelynn.

I was taking in everything I could, because I knew that sooner or later, I was going to need to hire some help. Our album was being released soon, and there's always promotional stuff. I was happy about it. Even if I would miss Adelynn.

God, what would she think of me, though? Would she even remember I was her dad?

I shook the thoughts from my brain. I had a couple weeks still to prepare for that. My thoughts were then interuppted by a screetch from Adelynn.

"Addy!" I almost yelled and then just shook my head.

She had some lungs, that was for sure. I fed her one of those baby cookies that had been sitting on the kitchen table, and soon enough she was occupied with that. Sometimes I couldn't help but stare at her.

A little over a year ago, I would've never thought I'd be sitting here in my kitchen, eating lunch with a 7 month old. Eating with my daughter. Nope, never in a million years did I think someone or something could change a life so drastically. But, boy, did I get a surprise.

I couldn't wait until she was old enough to tell her stories about me, and her as an infant. We've been through some crazy stuff in her little life. The kidnapping thing was probably, by far, the worse thing that has ever happened to me.

What about... my stories before she was even born? My drug and alcohol binging days. I don't know if I wanted her to know about that.

I was thinking way too far in the future, I sighed.

Gross! She smelled like shit. Why does she have to do this right before we eat?

I grunted, and carefully picked her up out of the high chair.

By the time I got her upstairs and on the changing table, she smelled worse. I slowly untaped the diaper and about died.

"Grossnastyewwwgross," and then threw it into the diaper genie.

I un-twisted the powder cap and tried to put some on her. What the hell? I shook it harder. Nothing was coming out. I shook it harder and harder...

I gagged.

The powder was all over me. All over my black t-shirt, all in my face and my hair. I rolled my eyes and tried to shake as much off as possible... Grrreeat.

I couldn't help but laugh. I was standing here, completely drenched in baby power, as Adelynn layed naked on the changing table not even realizing what was happening.

Alright, now I was cracking up. I had to hurry and put Adelynn's diaper on though, because she would've peed all over me to top it off.

I heard laughter coming from the hallway. Who was here?

"Nice going, smart one!"

It was Kevin.

"Shut up!" I cried out in defense. "Lemme see you do it better."

Kevin just grinned and shook his head, "What's up, man? Besides the, uh, baby powder all over you."

"Atleast I smell nice and clean."

"Remember the cookout we all planned? It was supposed to be held at your house, remember?"

I had completely forgotten.

"Yeah, I remembered. I was just getting Adelynn changed and ready first."

"Kristin's downstai..."

"Oh my God! AJ!" Kristin had seemed to come out of nowhere.

She walked over to me and smeered her finger across my face, "You look like Casper!" Kevin and her both began to laugh, I just grinned.

"Kev, go start flippin' some burgers or something. Make yourself useful. I'm gonna, uh, clean up," I laughed.

"I'll take her," Kristin said and reached over to pick up Adelynn.

"Thanks."

Kristin was holding Adelynn, "Awww! Kevin, honey... I want a," she began to say but Kevin quickly interuppted.

"Not right now!" Kevin yelled back as he was walking down the stairs. He could answer her before she even finished her sentence. Kristin sighed, but looked back down at Adelynn and smiled.
Chapter 20 by arokaholic
I didn't want to leave. How could I do it? I couldn't just go on tour for months and be sane without her. How could I work it out so that I could bring her?

"Bone?" I heard from downstairs.

I could tell it was Brian.

"Yeah?" I called back.

"You almost ready?"

I sighed, "Yep. I'm coming!"

I looked at all my clothes spread out all over the bed. I was nowhere near ready. I just shrugged and threw a bunch of different clothes into my suitcase, not bothering to even fold them or make neat piles. Then I heard Adelynn's little sounds coming through the baby monitor and laughed, she sure made some weird noises.

I walked out of my room and into the room next door and picked Adelynn up from her crib.

"Did you have a good nap, baby?" I whispered.

She grinned and so did I.

"AAAAAJJJJ?!" I heard him screaming my name now.

"WHHAAATT?!" I yelled back, as I covered Adelynn's ears.

"Hurry up! We're leaving and we're gonna be late!"

I just shook my head, can't a man say goodbye to his daughter? I had hired a nanny... I didn't want to do it but I had to. She was kind of a "family friend" because she had grown up with my mother as a child, so she was trustworthy. She was a petite, little Mexican woman who had grown up in America since she was 1 year old, but she still had a tint of a spanish accent. Now, if I could only find her.

"Dana?" I semi-yelled, hoping she was upstairs.

"I'm right here, Mr. McLean!" I saw her jogging down the hall, she was rushing. I shrugged, I guess I intimidated her. I laughed to myself.

"Please, call me AJ or Alex. Mr. McLean makes me sound like I'm some old dude."

She chuckled, "Ok, Alex. Are you leaving?"

"Yep, Brian down there is getting a little fiesty," I laughed.

"I'll take her from you."

I handed her over to Dana but before I let go, I kissed her forehead. She immediately reached out for me and I just shook my head, "I'm sorry, baby. Daddy doesn't want to, but I gotta leave."

The trick was to get out of her sight as quick as possible. That was hard to do, but then she would get distracted with other things.

I went back into my room to continue throwing things into my suitcase, and I zippered it up. It was a tight squeeze.

I dragged my heavy suitcase off the bed, and began to drag it more down the stairs. I wanted to go back into Adelynn's room and kiss her face all over and cuddle with her, but I couldn't let her see me again. She'd start crying and screaming and I can't handle that right now. I'd break down just looking at her.

"Finally!" I heard Brian said.

"Eh, shut up," I joked, "I was getting Adelynn all situated."

"Had to do the same with Baylee."

"It sucks."

"Yeah," he replied and we both kinda looked at each other.

"Atleast it'll only be a week...," I shrugged but inside I cringed. That was a long time. "Are you gonna see Baylee next week, too? I'm gonna bring Adelynn out for some shows, my mom said she'll watch her like last time."

"Proabably."

I quickly snapped out of it to realize what time it was, "Shit, Rok, we gotta go."

I picked up the suitcase and we began to head out the door.

Chapter 21 by arokaholic
"THANK YOU AND GOODNIIIGHHHTT!" I shouted through the microphone to the screaming crowd.

We all ran off the stage as quickly as possible. I was sweating and panting like a dog when I said, "That was a good show, guys."

"Did you see the reaction of the audience?!" Nick replied, all excited and AJ couldn't help but see the 12 year old boy that he had met 12 years before.

"That was awesome!"

You could hear everybody trying to talk at once, except me. I was just trying to sink it all in... I couldn't believe we were back, sometimes. I couldn't believe it was my fault for the break in the first place. Ah, whatever, everythings under the bridge now.

"You going back to the hotel? I asked, looking at Brian.

"Yeah, me and Kevin are. You know Nick and Howie, they aren't," Brian laughed.

"I'm going back..."

"No your not!" Nick interuppted, "Your coming out with us!"

I rolled my eyes and lit up a cigarette, "Here we go..."

"Come on! Why not?! You should!"

"Why Nick?! Why do you want me to go out? So you can hook me up with another chick? 'Cause you know, your damn good at that. Shoving a girl in my face, then running away, then I end up taking her home! You know...," I was yelling now, I didn't mean to start yelling. "Your the one who always gets me in trouble! You know that?!"

Nick looked upset, and he just turned his head, and patted Howie's shoulder, "Let's go, man."

Shit. Shit. Why did I just go off on him?! It wasn't his fault.

"Nick!" I yelled.

"Fuck you, man. I'm just trying to give you a life!"

He continued to walk away.

"Nick! Come here, I'm sorry. I'll go party with you."

But by then, he was already out the door. I looked at Brian and he shrugged, "He'll get over it."

"Brian, you know what Nick does when this kinda shit happens! We can't just let him go out. He's gonna get fucking wasted, get another DUI... I can't believe I just flipped out on him."

"AJ, there's nothing you can do," Kevin spoke up, "You know Nick, there's no getting through to him."

"I'm going out to find him."

Brian sighed, "AJ, your gonna get yourself in trouble. Just stay here. Howie's with him, he knows... he'll keep an eye on him."

"Alright, alright, I'll stay."

We each got settled into our own hotel rooms.

I layed in the hotel bed, staring at the ceiling, not able to go to sleep and bored out of my mind. That made me feel worse for not going out to the bars with Nick, because I would've had a much better time. It was just hard for me, and Nick didn't understand that. It was hard to see him plastered and everyone around me but I still couldn't drink.

I knew myself... and I couldn't just have one. I'd be back in rehab, and I was living a good non-drinking life with no drugs. I was the happiest I had ever been.

I should call and check on Adelynn. I rolled over to reach the phone on the nightstand. I dialed the familiar home numbers, hoping Dana was near a phone so she would answer. That way I wouldn't be worried.

"Hello?"

Thank God.

"It's AJ. How's Addy?" I asked.

"She's wonderful. I think she misses you, she always points to the picture of you and her on her dresser."

I smiled, "Aww, well you tell her that Daddy's picking her up in two days and she can be on the road with me and her uncles. And I love her. Not like she's gonna understand but..." I laughed.

"I'll be sure to tell her."

"Thanks, Dana. I'll check in tomorrow again."

"Bye bye."

Good, she was okay and safe. It made me feel better. Now I just had to worry about Nick, my other child, I laughed.

I really hope he was gonna be okay, though. Then I heard someone knocking on my door. Who the hell was here now?

I opened it but I kept the chainlinks on the top of the door together and looked through the crack. I was shocked when I saw who it was.

NICK, I screamed at him in the back of my mind, and made a self-reminder to kick his ass.
Chapter 22 by arokaholic
"I don't want none," I grinned and pretended like I was gonna close the door.

"I'm not here to give you sex!" she shouted, and starting laughing.

"Your so loud, Jill, would you keep it down?!"

I unhooked the chains and invited her in.

"Alright, what did Nick send you for?"

She looked confused, "Nick? Nick didn't send me here. I found you myself."

"How?" I wondered.

"I have my ways."

"Why?"

"So many questions, McLean. Aren't you happy I'm here?"

Not really, I thought to myself. Well, I guess a little. Now I won't be so bored.

"Yeah, it'll give me something to do."

I slapped myself. I am SO ridiculously stupid.

"That sounded wrong. Not do you, just... I've been bored all night. Nick wanted me to go out with him tonight, and I stayed in."

She just laughed, "Your funny."

"I'm glad you think so."

She laughed again, "So, you wanna cook me breakfast again? It was pretty damn good."

"It's 11:30 at night, hon, not excatly breakfast time."

"So? Ever heard of eating pancakes for dinner?"

"Heard of it, never actually did it."

"Oh."

I looked at her for a moment. She looked different tonight. Much more beautiful than I remember her. She looked less like a hooker, and more like a human being. A naturally pretty woman.

"I can order room service?" I questioned.

"I was kidding. But if you want to, go right ahead."

"Well, are you gonna eat it?"

"If there's food in front of my face, I'm gonna eat it," she grinned.

So I did. I ordered room service. We had decided to make ourselves comfortable on the floor, and I had changed into sweatpants but stayed shirtless. Just for comfort. I wasn't trying to impress her or anything. God knows I was unhappy with my body right now.

"Where's your daughter?" she asked.

"At home. I had to hire a nanny, even though I didn't want to."

"Do you miss her?"

"More than I've ever missed anyone in my life," I smiled, "She's so cute... Dana, the nanny, said she keeps looking at the picture of me and her together and points at it and smiles."

I began to light up right when she had mentioned Adelynn. I kept talking and talking about her, I didn't mean to. I noticed 15 minutes had already gone by.

"I'm sorry," I frowned a little, "I'm not shutting up. Let me hear about your life."

"No, I'm perfectly happy listening to you tell stories about your daughter. It's cute," she grinned.

"I don't wanna talk anymore. I wanna listen. Do you have any kids?"

"No," she said and then looked away. Her eyes filled up with tears and she was trying so hard to make them stop.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I... well, I was supposed to have a kid. A baby boy."

"Yeah?" I wanted her to continue. I wasn't trying to be nosy, but the fact of the matter was that I was a nosy person.

"I gave him up. The father was in jail, I hated the man. He was just one of my... uh, flings or whatever. I wanted my son to have a good life. So when he was 3 days old, I gave him up. I thought I couldn't handle him. I thought I couldn't survive without a dad in the picture."

I embraced her in a hug, and let her head lean on my shoulder.

She quickly wiped the tears, "God, what am I doing?! I don't even know you!" She slightly laughed through her tears.

She began to stand up, "Hearing about you and your daughter, and how your doing fine without a mom in the picture. It just... makes me feel like a jackass for giving him up."

"I - I'm sorry," was all I could get out, "I didn't mean to make you upset."

"No! It's not your fault! It's just... so sweet hearing you gloat about your daughter, and I have nothing to gloat about. I'll be leaving. It was nice meeting you, Alex."

I shook her hand that she had stuck out to me. I could've stopped her. But I didn't. I just watched her walk out the door.
Chapter 23 by arokaholic
I woke up the next morning with my head spinning. I would probably never see Jill again. I felt really guility from everything last night... making Jill upset, and Nick, who I still haven't heard from. I wonder where he is? I picked up my cellphone and dialed his number.

"Hey, this is Nick... I'm not here right now so you could..."

I heard his message and flipped over my phone. Damnit.

I rolled out of bed and stretched my arms out, I was exhausted. I hadn't really got much sleep last night. I was thinking too much, about Jill and Adelynn and Nick. I felt my cellphone vibrating in my hand and looked... it was Brian.

"Hello?"

"Hey, you awake?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, just woke up," I ran my hands through my hair.

"Have you heard from Nick yet?"

"No, you?"

"No. I'm gonna go check his room, okay?"

"Alright, call me when you find him."

Where the hell was he? It was 11 o'clock in the morning. He was probably still just sleeping like usual.

I went into the bathroom and started the shower water when I heard my phone ringing again. I sighed and walked over to pick it up without even looking who it was.

"Hello?"

"AJ... you gotta help me."

"Nick?" I asked.

"I'm sorry about last night, alright. I wasn't really that pissed. I don't know where the fuck I am, and I don't know where my car is."

I sighed and shook my head, "Your such an idiot, sometimes. What do you want me to do? Come pick you up?"

"Please. Tell the guys you talked to me and I'm fine... tell them I had to go to the store or something."

"Alright, what's around you?"

"There's this big sign that says 'Happy Harry's' and the street is... Grason Rd, it looks like."

"I think I remember seeing a Happy Happy's... I'm on my way."

Normally, I probably wouldn't have done that. But since I felt bad about last night, I would. And I kinda knew what he was going through. When I would get so drunk to where I couldn't remember where I was, or how I got there, he would usually be the one to cover my ass. I owed it to him.

After about an hour of driving, I saw him sitting on the curb behind some bushes. I laughed to myself... I could see the tabloids now. Hopefully he was hiden good enough to where nobody saw him. Plus, we were in Arizonia still.

I stopped the car and he looked around before getting up, then jogged over and hopped in.

"What the hell are you laughing at?" he asked.

"You... you looked funny over there," I looked him up and down, "Jesus, how much did you drink?"

"Is it that bad?" he asked, now I made him selfconcious.

"Yeah."

I shifted gears and I started to drive off.

"Oh well. I'm sorry for being an idiot."

"I was worse. I can't say nothin'."

"But now look at you... your a happy father. I'm fucking nobody."

"Your Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys," I laughed.

He didn't think it was funny, "No, I'm 'the guy that dated Paris Hilton.'"

"That'll pass, man, you know that," I told him.

He just shook his head.

"When's Adelynn coming out with your mom?"

"Tomorrow, I'm so excited! It's been a week, dude."

Nick kinda smiled, "That's cool."

I had just remembered!

"Dude... Jill came by last night!"

"The Jill... Jill, Jill?" Nick looked shocked.

"I thought you had sent her, but she said she found me herself. We had a good talk, and then she got upset and just left real quick. I felt bad."

"Did ya'll hook up?"

"Just talked."

The rest of the ride was pretty quiet until we reached the hotel, where Nick was not greeted happily. I just laughed. I felt bad for him, yeah, but it was his fault. He still needs to grow up.
Chapter 24 by arokaholic
"Mom, is that you?" I asked.

I thought I had heard my door knocking. I was just relaxing in my shorts laying on my bed, with the damp light turned on, flipping through the latest People magazine. I was impatiently waiting for my mom to arrive with Adelynn.

I stood up to go answer the door and was greeted with Adelynn's smiling baby face. I grinned from ear to ear and took her from my mom, "Heyyy baby!"

I kissed her face all over and she was giggling. Then I leaned over and kissed my mom on the cheek, "Thanks, mom."

"It's worth the traveling to see you this happy," she gave me a hug.

"How was Adelynn on the plane?" I asked.

"She slept most the time, so she was good."

"Aww, that's my girl. I missed Daddy's Addy," I kissed her cheek. Daddy's Addy, that was good... I had just made up a new nickname for her. I laughed, "Daddy's Addy."

"Come on in, mom. If you hold Adelynn again, I'll get all your stuff."

"That's okay, hun. It's on it's way up. The bus boy took it and said he'd bring it to your room."

"Your good, mom," I smiled.

I closed the hotel door and set Addy down on the floor. She liked to sit up by herself now.

"She looks so much bigger."

"Does she?" my mom laughed.

"She really does," I stared at her for a minute, "A week is a long time."

I layed down on my stomach and plopped myself on the floor next to her. She grinned and made some baby noises. I tickled her little belly and she laughed.

"How's the tour coming along?" my mom asked, and I looked up at her.

"Good.. it's fun. It's fun again, and the fans are still crazy."

We both kinda laughed and I turned my attention back to Adelynn. She was so cute, I still some days couldn't get over that she was mine.

"Did you give Dana that check I left her?"

"Yeah, I told her she could go home for the next couple of weeks while Adelynn's on the road with us."

"Cool," I looked away for a moment, "Do you think she's too young to watch the show? I want her to see what her daddy does."

"She is pretty little, still. Maybe I could hold her backstage, she'll still see you from the side of the stage."

I nodded, "That could work."

She started clapping her hands, and I laughed. I kissed her cheek once again and rubbed my hands on her cheeks.

_______________________________


I could see her out of the corner of my eyes the whole show, and I think it made an even better show, because I was at the top of my game. I don't know why, but I felt like it needed to be good for my little girl's eyes. I was singing my best, dancing my best, performing my best. As if it were my last show.

Every couple of minutes, I would turn my head to the side and wink at them.

During our little time to talk to the fans, I said that my daughter was here watching tonight from the side of the stage, so give a loud scream.

They screamed so fucking loud. I smiled.

I could definitely make this work. Being a single dad and still have a career -- it could definitely work. It was something I never even imagined trying but it was happening right now and I, sometimes, still couldn't grasp onto the fact that I was the caretaker of this little angel put into my life.
Chapter 25 by arokaholic
"Happy birthday to you... happy birthday to you... happy birthday dear Addy... happy birthday to you," the five of us all sang our best version of Happy Birthday acapella and everybody in the room smiled and clapped, so did Adelynn, who was sitting in her highchair.

I leaned over and kissed her forehead, "One year old already. I can't believe it."

The tour had finally come to an end a couple weeks ago. We each got time to enjoy our families, and I was loving all the time with Adelynn.

I looked at her and laughed when I saw her entire face covered in ice cream and cake. She was having so much fun.

"Dadadadadada," I heard her say over and over. She loved to say it, since it was her first word. I was proud. Even though, I had heard, almost all babies first words are "DaDa" but I was still flattered.

She was a big ham. She loved putting on a "show" for everybody and being the center of attention. She reminded me of myself, at times. God, help me. I laughed to myself.

Oh, shit... I forgot the most important present.

I jogged over to the garage door and I picked up the cage slowly. I heard whimpering coming from inside and I stuck my finger through the cracks in the cage and the dog licked my hand. I tried to comfort it.

I knew I was insane for getting a one year old a puppy, but I did it for myself too. Not just for her.

When I brought the cage inside the kitchen, I saw Kevin give me a crazy look like "what the hell did you do?" I just laughed and put a finger to my mouth, telling him to shut up.

I carefully lifted the Golden Retriever puppy out of the cage, and she licked my face. I snuck it up behind Adelynn's highchair and the dog kissed her face. Adelynn looked up at me with a huge smile on her face. That look was priceless. She looked at me with this clueless expression, like, 'what do I do, Dad? Is this good or bad?'

I nodded my head and smiled at her and then I took her hand in mine, and let her stroke the dogs silky fur.

"This is Daisy, baby," I smiled at her.

"You got her a dog?!" Brian exclaimed.

"Turn around, AJ! Let me get your picture!"

I turned around and smiled and then saw my cousin, Kelly, with a camera. She was flashing away. Thank God for her, though, because I was horrible at keeping and taking pictures and I really wanted an album to have for Adelynn.

"AJ, your crazy!" I heard a couple people say.

"I know, I know," I just shook my head, "Welcome Daisy to the family, ya'll."

The dog barked from all the noise surrounding her. Adelynn was giggling away in her highchair, repeating "dadadadada" over and over again.

I kissed the top of Adelynn's head, "Love ya, baby girl."

I leaned over to Brian, "Watch her for a sec, man. I'm gonna get myself a piece of cake before it's all gone."

Brian patted my shoulder as I began to walk off, "No problem."

As I was cutting the slice of cake I felt someone kiss my cheek from behind. I slighty turned around, still keeping my focus on the cake, and I was stunned, "Jill?"

"Surprise!"

"What the hell are you doing here?" I jokingly asked.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"For leaving like that. I didn't wanna make you sit there and watch me cry all night long, though."

"It's all good."

I wasn't about to tell her, I was actually hurt over that. I felt like I did something and it was my fault and I figured I would probably never see her again. Here she was.

"Nick ran into me again and told me about Adelynn's birthday party. He invited me. I thought it was the least I could do."

"Thanks... for coming, you know?"

I finally managed to get the piece of cake onto my plate and took a bite. God, that was fucking awesome. My mom always did make the best cakes.

"So... you okay? I mean, were you okay? The night you left?"

"I was fine. Just got myself worked up over nothing."

I looked over to make sure Adelynn was still okay in her highchair and she was. So I decided to sit down and talk to Jill for a little while.

"It's not nothing... it's a child your talking about."

"Not my child. Not anymore, anyways."

"Let's not talk about it. I'm sorry I brought it up."

She gave me a genuine smile and slowly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"I don't want to take you away from your daughter's birthday..."

I shrugged, "No, it's perfectly fine. Everyday is like a party for that rascal."

We both laughed.

I looked at her but she wasn't looking at me. Her eyes were focused on the ground, like she was avoiding eye contact for some reason.

"Do you wanna... sleep over? Tonight?" I asked.

"We can make up for what we missed when I walked out," she grinned.

"Possibly, yes," I laughed.
Chapter 26 by arokaholic
I liked her, I did. But she was just more like a friend, I couldn't help it. We stayed up talking all night once again, and didn't even sleep together. She was definitely more of a friend than a lover. But, it could work. I always needed a friend.

What time was it anyways? I squinted my eyes from the glare of the sun coming through the blinds. It was 8am already... Adelynn had to be awake. How come I couldn't hear her? I looked over at the baby monitor and it was turned off. The events from months before replayed in my mind and I ran over to the room next door.

I took a deep breath and relaxed when I saw Jill sitting on the floor with Adelynn.

She looked up and saw me in the doorway, "Morning. What's wrong?"

Did I look like something was wrong?

"Ah, nothing."

She looked at me funny, "You just looked... scared or something. Out of breath. Like you had just seen a ghost."

I nervously laughed, "No... I'm fine."

I hadn't told her about Adelynn getting kidnapped. I just didn't want to start talking anymore about my life and my problems. She seemed to have enough of her own.

"I heard Adelynn awake and figured I would get her, so I turned the baby monitor off to let you sleep."

I was kind of upset... she would do that without asking. She had me scared to death for a mere 60 seconds, when I had seen the red light turned off on the baby monitor in my room.

"I should've asked...," she said, almost reading my thoughts.

I looked down and saw Adelynn grabbing at my baretoes with her fingers. I just laughed and bent down to pick her up, "You don't wanna touch those, sweetie."

"God knows I wouldn't," Jill laughed.

I stuck my tounge out at her.

I couldn't let anything ever happen to this angel in my arms ever again. I would blame myself for life. I wasn't about to let anybody in the way of that.

I heard whimpering coming from downstairs. I had forgotten about the dog. I put Adelynn back on the ground and she began crawling around.

"I'm gonna let the dog out of the crate...," I started to walk downstairs.

"Hey, puppy," I unlocked the cage door and let her walk out.

I stroked her soft hair, "Your a cute doggy."

She licked my face quickly, before running upstairs. I laughed.

"Warning!" I yelled, "Dog on the loose!"

By the time I had got upstairs, Adelynn was giggling as the puppy licked her face all over. I smiled.

"Who's up for MickeyDs?!" I asked.

Adelynn knew the word 'MickeyD's' and immediately starting clapping her hands and shaking her head 'yes.' I laughed at her and swopped her up into my arms, "Then off to MickeyD's it is."

"Jill.. your invited too," I looked over at her.

"I don't wanna keep intruding on you guys."

"Nah, it's fine. I just gotta get this little munchkin ready and we can head off. You might wanna get ready, too."

I put Adelynn on the changing table and cleaned her up. Then I found a cute girly outfit for her.

"Addy," I mumbled, "Stop moving!"

Jill laughed, "Need some help?"

"No, I got it."

I struggled getting Adelynn's pants on overtop of her diaper and with her kicking, it didn't help. When I finally managed to get her dressed, she looked so cute. So, the struggle was definitely worth it.

"All done!" I exclaimed.

She clapped her hands. Whenever I said 'all done,' she would clap her hands. It was funny.

"Daddy's gotta get ready now, so your gonna sit in your chair in my room like a good girl."

I could tell Jill was staring. To be honest, it made me a little uncomfortable. I knew why she was staring too... she was regretting what she did. She wanted a kid, too.

"Actually," I looked at Jill, "Do you want to take her for a minute? While I get ready?"

"Sure," she smiled, coming out of her thoughts.

I went into my room and cleaned up. I trimmed my goatee and brushed my teeth, and put some clothes on. I'd forgotten I had been in just my boxers, and we had a guest in the house. I figured, what the hell? She had already seen me naked once. I laughed to myself and threw on a beanie cap.

"All ready?" I appeared in Adelynn's doorway.

"Yep," replied Jill.
Chapter 27 by arokaholic
My head. My head was going to explode! She wouldn't stop crying. She was in a mood, let me tell you! She was in her crib now, and she was supposed to be sleeping, but she had been screaming for an hour now. I had to get her... I just had to. I couldn't take that noise anymore.

I know they tell you to let them cry as long as they can and they'll eventually fall asleep. Screw doctors. I know my daughter, and she ain't going to sleep.

I grumbled nothing in particular and jogged up the stairs.

I entered Addy's room and right when she saw me, she stopped crying. I rolled my eyes and leaned over to pick her up. She calmed down but every now and then a little cry would come out. Her head slowly fell to my shoulder and I rocked her back and forth, "Shhh... shhh... what's wrong with Daddy's Addy, huh?"

Before I knew it, she was fast asleep and snoring in my arms. I grinned and as carefully as I could, placed her back in her crib. Just needed a little bit of her Daddy's lovin'. I liked to watch her sleep. Her little stomach moving up and down, her light snores coming from her tiny body.

"AAAAAAJJJJJJJJJ?!"

Shit, Nick! I ran out of the bedroom and looked over the loft where you could see the foyer.

"Shhhh!" I whispered my loudest whisper.

Nick looked up and saw me, "Oops."

"You dumbass!" I whispered, as I walked down the stairs to greet him.

"Sorry."

"I just put her down... she's been screaming for the last hour. I don't know what's up with her."

"So I came at the right time?" Nick asked, "The quiet time?"

I just shook my head and laughed, "Yes, Nick. You came at the quiet time. Lucky you."

He laughed, "No, dude... you wanna know the real reason I came?"

"Why?"

"'Cuz I'm bored and got nothing else to do. But I figured we could always go swimming in your pool, since mines not installed yet."

I just rolled my eyes and laughed, "You came over here... to swim in my pool?"

He shrugged, "Got nothing better to do. You know how it is when we first get off the road... it's like a complete change."

"I was gonna wait until Adelynn woke up to get in the pool."

"Okay, I'll wait with you."

I laughed. "Jill came over again like 3 nights ago," I told Nick, as we made ourselves comfortable on the couch.

I propped my feet on the coffee table and popped open a can of Coke.

"She did? What you two got goin' on, now?" Nick grinned.

"Sadly nothing. We just sat up and talked the whole night. Again."

Nick laughed, "AJ needs to get layed!"

"Nah, I mean, it was cool. We get along great... but not as a couple. I don't like her like that."

Nick shrugged, "I can find you another girl. One that will actually sleep with you."

He laughed to himself and I just glared at him. I was sick of him trying to hook me up with girls, they never worked out right.

"Nick, no more girls...," I tried to say, but he wasn't about to listen.

"Not girlfriends, AJ. Just a one night stand... a sex fling. I didn't mean for Jill to stick around."

"Jill's a nice girl, I like her. But not as a girlfriend. Nick, I don't really want a relationship or anything right now...," I tried to say but he cut me off.

"I didn't say a relationship... I said a fling."

"Whatever."

The thing that I didn't admit to him was that a one night stand was really what I needed right now. I hated how he could see right through me. I had been so busy lately with Adelynn, and having no sex for so long was really starting to show in my personality.

"Are the other guys still in LA?" I asked, "I haven't really talked to much of them this past week."

"Kevin flew back to Kentucky with Kristin to see his family, Brian's still here with Leighanne and Baylee. Howie's still here, too."

"We should invite them over," I suggested.

"Sure, why not?" Nick agreed.

"I'll call Rok."

"I got D."

We both took out our cellphones and dialed the numbers. By the time they would get here, Adelynn would be awake so it would work out perfect.
Chapter 28 by arokaholic
This was the perfect image.

I stared at my backyard and at the pretty picture it painted in my mind. There was Howie, gripping onto Adelynn tightly, as he held her in the pool. Baylee had decided to jump into the pool all by himself, with his floaties on his arms and Nick was assisting him trying to teach him how to 'fly.' Brian and Leighanne got to sit together under the umbrella at the picnic table. Yeah, this was a perfect image.

I never wanted anything to ruin it. Thoughts would come to my mind sometimes that Claire would end up coming back in the picture. I always watched Adelynn like a hawk, in case of anything. I couldn't lose my baby ever again. She was the only thing that made my life complete.

"Yo, guy over there in la la land, are we ever gonna get our drinks?" I snapped out of my thoughts and saw Brian grinning. Looking down at the drinks in my hands, I began to walk over to the table.

"You wanted a Ginger Ale right, Leigh?" I asked.

"That's fine, thank you, AJ," she accepted the drink out of my hand.

"Here's yours, Rok," I handed him a can of Coke.

"Oh, so she gets the cup with ice, you give me the warm can," Brian laughed.

"Yeah, well, you know where the cups and ice are... go get it yourself," I joked and Leighanne laughed along.

"He just loves me more...," Leighanne playfully slapped her husband.

"Got that right," I told them.

"Yo AJ?!" I heard Nick calling my name from the pool.

"What?!" I yelled back, and began to walk closer to the pool so I could hear him better.

"Where's my drink?" Nick joked.

"In the freezer in the garage," I laughed.

"Ohh man... no service in this damn house."

"I'm kidding. I'll go get you one... what you want?"

"Got any Mountain Dew?"

"Yeah," I started to head off before looking at Adelynn and Howie.

"You okay with her, man?" I asked, before going to get Nick's drink.

"I'm fine... I'm holding tight."

"I didn't mean like that... I trust you..."

Howie smiled, "Go get Nick's drink."

I could get the vibe from people that they were worried. Like, they felt unsafe because I kept such a close eye on her. They felt I didn't trust them. Which I did, completely, trust them. I just liked to be there and didn't like to leave her alone, anything could happen at any time. That's the way I thought of it.

I searched through the refridgerator looking for a Mountain Dew. Must be all out. I shrugged and grabbed a Sprite, then closed the door behind me.

Was I really that bad? Was I that overprotective? I was just trying to do the best job... I wasn't trying to be a prick or a dad you love to hate.

By the time I got back there, Howie had taken Adelynn out of the pool. Nick still stayed in playing with Baylee, who was having a great time. His long, curly hair was drenched and it reached his back when it was wet.

"Aww... baby girl all done in the pool?" I looked at her, and made a baby face.

"Actually, Uncle Howie was," he laughed.

I took Adelynn from Howie's arms and into my own.

I walked down the pool stairs with her and eventually into the shallow end. I swooshed her down so her belly glided against the water and she was giggling, I could feel the rumble in her stomach underneath my hands. I laughed with her and gave her kisses all over.

We turned right in time to see Baylee go flying in the air, Nick had thrown him up and then he landed with a big splash.

"Did you see Baylee, honey?" I smiled, looking down at her facial expression.

Then all the sudden, another big splash landed in the pool.

"Daddy!" screamed Baylee with excitement, as he tried his best to swim in his floaties over to his father.

"Hey, buddy," Brian picked him up and flew him on his shoulders.

I smiled. I hoped everything would last like this.
Chapter 29 by arokaholic
"All packed?" I looked at Adelynn and zippered the last of the suitcases.

Of course, she had no idea what I was asking. So she just looked at me for a moment but when I laughed, she smiled in return.

We were taking a little vacation to the beach and I decided to invite Brian and his son. Leighanne said she would stay behind and take her own little break, and she also had an auditon for a new movie. I was happy about that... it had been a long time since me and Brian had had guy time alone. Even though we were going to be with our kids.

I packed the last of the stuff in the car, and then made my way back inside to pick up Adelynn from her swing.

I buckled her safely in the carseat, and tightened the belt around her. I made myself comfortable in the drivers seat and looked at Adelynn, "All ready, baby?"

She clapped her hands and giggled, I began to back the car up out of the driveway.

After we had been driving for about a half an hour, I grabbed my cellphone out of my pocket and dialed Brian's number.

"B-roookk," I said, laughing.

"May I help you?" he asked, sarcastically.

"Your on your way right?"

"I dunno, look beside you."

I turned my head and began laughing when I saw Brian waving and grinning and Baylee was fast asleep in the backseat.

"You idiot, why didn't you tell me you were right behind me?"

I looked to to their car next to me again and I saw him shrug, "It was fun."

"How come Baylee goes right to sleep and Adelynn frickin' screams the whole way down?"

"It's a girl thing... all girls will talk your ear off," Brian joked.

"Oh, she's good at that, already."

"Meet you at the hotel, okay? You did book it, right?"

I rolled my eyes, "Yes, I did."

We hung up the phone with each other and I scrunched down in my seat, trying to get comfortable. I looked back at Adelynn every couple of minutes, she was perfectly fine since I had a movie playing in the DVD. I stretched my arm out and yawned, I was actually pretty tired.

All the sudden, a car swirved right in front of me. I sat up quickly and honked my horn and then rolled down my window, "FUCKING ASSHOLE!"

I just silently shook my head to myself, "People are so fucking stupid sometimes."

I looked back at Adelynn, who had no idea what was going on, except that her daddy had just yelled really loud. She looked at me with fear in her eyes, "It's okay, baby. Daddy's not mad at you."

But she was already mezmorized in her movie once again. I laughed.

After about 25 minutes, we were already there. I pulled up into the parking lot and took a look at the beach front condos, "Shit, this place is pretty nice."

I stepped out of the car and stretched. This was going to be a nice vacation.

Brian's car pulled up a couple of spaces beside me.

"We're here!" Brian jumped out of his car.

"No shit!" I yelled back, laughing.

A young girl came jogging up to us, she couldn't have been older than 15, I figured.

"Brian and AJ?" she asked, very quietly.

"That's us," I smiled.

"I can't believe I'm seeing you guys here... can I get a picture?"

Atleast this girl was calm and acting normal, I thought. If she wasn't... it would be our fault for not bringing bodyguards.

"Sure," Brian smiled.

"Do you want me to take a picture of you and Brian? Then Brian can take one of me and you?" I offered her an idea, since she had nobody else around.

"That would be great!"

Brian got on one side of her and hugged her, they both smiled. I handed the camera over to Brian and I did the same thing.

"Wow, thank you guys," she looked like she was going to cry.

I hated when people cried. I never knew what to do or say, it was just us... why were they crying?

"Don't cry, sweetheart," I gripped her into a hug.

Thank God for Adelynn crying in the backseat, because she gave me an excuse to have to leave the girl.

We all got settled into our room. I called the master bedroom.

I changed into my bathing suit and got Adelynn in hers, so we could get ready to have some fun on the beach.
Chapter 30 by arokaholic
I stood on the balcony, overlooking the beach, exhaling out puffs of smoke. It was definitely very peaceful up here. I had told Brian to take the kids to the beach, I'd meet them down there.

I made myself a seat and sat down on the cemet, taking in my needed cigarette. I never smoked around Adelynn, so I was usually left with only one smoke a day.

I could see Brian holding Adelynn down on the beach from up here. Baylee had already run to the ocean water. I chuckled when I saw Adelynn fall down in the sand.

The beach was pretty crowded... there was a lot of people set up down there on the sunny day. You could see all the kids in the water, and the waves would crash and make them fall down. Then they'd get back up and do it again.

The adults were all sitting under their umbrellas, or laying on the towel getting a suntan.

Was that a baby crying?

My attention focused back to Adelynn... it was her. I squinted my eyes to see them better from my 6th floor balcony. Was that blood?

I quickly smashed my cigarette into the ground and stomped on it, without even closing the door. I ran out of the hotel room and down the hall to the elevators. Fuck. Fuck. What could've happened to her?

Fucking elevator, it's going to slow. I impatiently tapped my foot. Ugh, screw this! I ran over to the door leading to the stairway and ran down six sets of stairs. I saw Brian, he looked terrified. He was holding Adelynn in a towel, rocking back and forth as peaceful as he could, but he was shaking, saying over and over again, "Shhh."

I ran over to her, "What happened?!"

"She...," Brian breathed heavily. He had probably run over here. "She got hit... with a baseball. Aje, it was a real baseball. It hit her hard."

"Who's the fucking prick that threw it?!" I yelled.

"They were little kids. The boy was like 10."

"I don't care! Your not supposed to be throwing fucking 90 mile an hour pitches on a beach with kids! Where the hell were the lifeguards?" Adelynn was still screaming. I took her carefully from Brian and held her head in my hand.

"We gotta take her to a hospital or something...," Brian looked at me.

"I'm going right now," I began to jog to my car and yelled back at Brian, "Go get Baylee off the beach and meet me at the nearest hospital! I gotta find one!"

I felt horrible for her... I didn't even want to put her in a carseat. I can't do that to her. Fuck, I turned around and yelled, "Brian!"

"I want you and Baylee to ride with me! You can hold her in the back!" I yelled and Brian nodded and began running to get Baylee.

He appeared back within a minute.

"Daddy, what's going on?" Baylee asked.

"Addy's hurt, get in the car!" he semi-yelled.

"I'll drive, you sit in the back with her," Brian exclaimed and I jumped into the backseat to comfort her.

"Shhh... oh, my poor baby," I held her tightly as she continued screaming.

I took a peek at her face, it didn't look good. It was already all bruised and purple, it looked like the whole left side of her face. She had bit her tounge in the process, that was what had been bleeding.

I wanted to cry watching her cry.

This wasn't supposed to happen... we just fuckin' got here. How could something so bad happen? I wanted Adelynn to have a good time, not get hurt and end up driving to the hospital.

I saw the hospital and Brian turned the corner quickly. I jumped out of the car as quick as I could with Adelynn in my arms, still wrapped up in a towel. She was probably freezing cold, she was still in her bathing suit. So was I.

I jogged over to the front desk, I was clearly out of breath, "We need your help."

"Sir, shirts are required. This is a germ-free environment."

I rolled my eyes, "My daughter got nailed in the side of the face with a baseball on the beach... I don't think I was even thinking of my shirt. Please... just do something."

"We're very busy today in the hospital... I'll get the nearest doctor."

"Thank you," I gritted through my teeth.

Why did receptionists have to be such bitchy people?
Chapter 31 by arokaholic
Adelynn was still screaming and crying, as she layed on the doctors table, and he was examining her left cheek that had been hit. He kept making weird faces as he looked at the x-rays. He was scaring me.

"How does it look?" I asked, not really wanting to hear what he had to say.

"Mr. McLean, I'm honestly not sure. It looks like a fracture to me, and if it doesn't heal soon enough you may need surgery."

I put my head in my hands and ran my fingers through my hair, trying to think straight.

"It might be broken?" I stared at Adelynn on the table, in disbelief that this could happen to her.

"Possibly. It's too soon to tell. I understand your on vacation right now?" he asked.

"That's right."

"We'd like to keep her here for a night atleast. So she can be on constant watch, and we'll give her pain medication to stop the crying and she'll be able to get some sleep."

I took a deep breath, "I'm not leaving here. Atleast not by herself... I'll stay with her."

"Are you sure, Mr. McLean? I can assure you she'll be in good hands, and you may get some rest as well."

"Positive, thanks," I stood up and shook his hand, "Just get her better."

"We'll be moving her to Room 314."

"Thank you," I replied, "I'm going to tell my friend he can leave, he's been in the waiting room."

The doctor nodded, "You can come up to Room 314 when your finished."

I walked out into the waiting room.

"Baylee, Baylee, Baylee," Brian was yelling at him over and over, "Sit down, Baylee. Listen to Daddy."

I chuckled and he turned around and looked at me, "How is she?"

"Might have a fractured cheekbone," I sighed and shook my head.

"It's that bad?"

I just nodded, "They want to keep her overnight. I'm not leaving her, so you can go back to the hotel with Baylee."

"Are you gonna be okay? I don't just want to leave you here."

"I'll be fine," I replied, "It's Adelynn I'm worried about."

"I'll be back in the morning," Brian gave me a quick hug and he was on his way.

I hope she was going to be okay, I sighed and headed towards the elevators.

_______________

My arms were hanging off the small hospital chair as I tried to go back to sleep, my legs stretched over the side of it. My neck was killing me from hanging with nothing to lean on. I snored a couple of times until I felt something on my face. I scooted over a little bit and BOOM, before I knew it I was on the floor.

I jumped up out of my half-sleep, "What?!"

I opened my eyes and rubbed my head. Shit, that hurt. I looked over and saw Brian cracking up.

"What are you laughing at?" I asked, in a groggy, tired voice.

"You! You looked funny, you were snoring away and then boom, you were on the floor. Oh, and that was Baylee that tickled your nose."

I looked and saw Baylee grinning, he had stolen my chair.

I poked his belly, "Your silly."

Then my attention went back to Adelynn, laying on the hospital bed. I half heartidly smiled at her, and rubbed her little head. The poor thing had a big bruise on the side of her face, but luckily she was fast asleep from the pain medication she was on.

"How's she doing?" Brian asked.

"Ok, I guess. Haven't heard a peep from her... she's not in pain right now. That's all I care about."

"This place needs some light," Brian walked over and opened up all the blinds.

I squinted, "Jesus, Rok... you trying to blind me?"

"If that's what you want," he shrugged and grinned.

I pulled the chair up closer to the hospital bed and stared at her for a few moments.

"I just want her to be alright, you know? I didn't want this happening," I sighed.

"I know," he placed a hand on my shoulder, "Everything will be fine."

"I hope so."
Chapter 32 by arokaholic
"Mr. McLean."

Was someone saying my name? I woke up from my sleep to see the doctor looking down at me. I quickly got myself situated and stood up from my sleeping spot in the chair.

"Yes?" I asked, rubbing my eyes quickly from the nap I had just taken.

He held a clipboard full of paper, and he flipped through the pages of it with his glasses sitting atop the bridge of his nose. "After examining your daughter more and studying x-rays, it turns out nothing is fractured or broken and she will be okay. Just a few bumps and bruises, of course."

I sighed a breath of relief, "Thank God. Thank you, doctor."

I shook his hand. "It was no problem. You can check her out of the hospital at anytime."

I nodded, "Thanks once again."

The doctor walked out of the room and I saw Adelynn was finally awake.

I walked over to her and whispered in a baby voice, "Hi baby. Your face still hurts?"

She scrunched her nose a little bit but she didn't act like she was in pain. I picked her up and held her close.

"Daddy will take you home, baby."

___________________

I had decided just to drive back home with Adelynn. It wouldn't be much of a vacation for her with a big bruised face. I told Brian to go ahead and stay down there Baylee.

By the time we arrived at the house, Adelynn had fallen asleep in the car. Her cheek was already starting to look better and not so bruised.

I was surprised when I saw a car sitting in the driveway. Who was at my house? I pulled up behind the car and got out to "inspect" it. Who's car was that?

Suddenly, my attention drifted over to the side of my house. A tall, black, buff man in a nice suit came walking around the corner and when he saw me, he picked up his pace.

When he got closer I could make out his face and smiled, "Joe? Joe Turner? What are you doing here?"

The last time I had seen the man who had found my daughter was that night in the hospital. I had sent him out a thank you card, but hadn't heard from him since. I figured he had been busy with other cases.

He only nodded at my greeting, "Mr. McLean."

"What's up?" I asked, going up to him and shaking his hand.

"I was told to come and inform you that... well, if you were wondering why I was in the backyard, I had to investigate for clues and..."

"Clues for what?" I butted in.

"Clues linking to Claire Miller's death."

I was stunned. Absolutely stunned. Claire was dead? Holy shit. Wait a minute -- why was he investigating my house?

My eyes opened wide, "You don't think--"

He held his hands up in defense, "I don't think anything. I'm doing my job and what my boss told me to do. I got to know you on a personal level during the time that your daughter was missing. I know you would never..."

"I would never kill anybody! I can't believe people would even accuse me! This is ridiculous! I thought Claire was in prison?!" I had began to yell.

"There was nothing in your backyard, Mr. McLean. I just need to sit you down for some questioning and there will be a search of your house and all will be done. I will record everything you say on tape. There's no reason to worry."

"Fuck, man! I cannot believe this!"

I could hear the faint sounds of crying coming from the car and I had almost forgotten I had left the car running. Adelynn was still in her carseat in the back. I walked over and picked her up, holding her in my arms as I continued to vent.

"I may have hated the woman for what she did but I would never... never... kill my child's mother or any human being."

"Mr. McLean...," he tried to stop me from going off until one final scream from him, "AJ!"

"What?!" I yelled and then took a deep breath.

He had never called me by my first name.

"I know. Believe me, I know. For all we know she killed herself. But it's our duty to investigate every person that had some sort of relation to the woman. Do you understand?"

I nodded. Maybe he was right. He was just doing his job.

"Search my house. Right now. Go ahead."
Chapter 33 by arokaholic
I watched the police officers search my house in disbelief. It was almost humorous because they were wasting their time, looking through every corner of the house when there was nothing here. I held on to Adelynn in my arms most of the time, and tried to act as if they were not here. I had to for Addy... she was hungry and I had to cook her something. Whether people were searching my house or not.

How can they accuse me of this? I was so taken back. I couldn't believe Claire was dead. As much as I disrespected her... she was my daughter's mother and nothing could change that.

"What happened to her face?" I turned around and saw Detective Joe Turner.

"We were at the beach on vacation and she got hit with a baseball. Scared the hell outta me... the doctor told me she might've had a broken face. Ended up sleeping in the hospital chair, falling out of it, and him telling me everything was fine," I semi-chuckled.

He just smiled a little, "Sorry to hear about that."

"My friend Brian, you remember him, don't you?" Joe Turner just nodded and I continued, "Him and his son went with us, they're still there."

Another officer came up to Joe, interuppting our conversation. I saw Joe nod and take the sheet of paper out of his hands.

"House is cleared. Nothing was found."

I just shrugged and smiled, "I told you. You know better than that."

He began to speak but I finished for him, "I know, I know... you were just doing your job."

He stuck his hand out to me and I shook it, "Thanks."

All the cops had began to leave out the front door and Adelynn watched in amazement. I don't think she realized how many people were actually in her house. And with all their uniforms, equiptment and guns... she was interested.

Once all the cops were out, Joe Turner was the last one left. He was talking on his cellphone, pacing back and forth in his business suit. Finally, he shut off his phone and looked at me.

"They want money," he sighed.

"Who? What?" I placed Adelynn on her mat on the floor.

"Claire's family wants money from you. For funeral costs and such."

"What the fuck? Well give it to them. If it will make everybody leave me alone and make them happy... give them the damn money."

"Your serious?" he cocked his eyebrow, "Your not gonna put up a fight?"

I shrugged, "Honestly, I'm sick of all this law shit. I'm done. Give them the money. How much they want?"

"1 million."

"1 million bucks?" I laughed and rolled my eyes, "Riiight... like that's how much a funeral costs. You be sure to tell them I'll make a compromise. I'll pay off all the funeral costs."

He looked stunned, "If that's what you want, McLean."

"It's what I want. It's for my daughter, it's her mom. When she grows up I want her to know I tried to make her mommy happy and I did everything I could."

Joe nodded and rubbed his bald head.

"Alright, sir. I'll be leaving to get all this organized and set in stone. All you'll need to do is sign something agreeing to the payment. We'll get all this worked out, and I'll talk to you in the following days, I guess."

"Okay. Thanks, Turner. For everything, I mean... you found my little girl for me. I'll remember that for the rest of my life."

"Your welcome," he smiled and headed out the door.

I smiled to myself. I think everything was going to be okay. My life was going to turn out right. After all I had been through, it was finally beginning to just come into place. Everything would be okay as long as I had my little girl by my side.

I looked at her, chewing on one of her plastic toys and smiled. She was the one that had made everything better. Made everything complete.

When I had heard I had gotten Claire pregnant, I thought, there goes my life. But now I knew... my life hadn't even begun yet. I had become a different person when I became a dad. I was still stubborn and still a smart ass... certain things like that would never change. But I had become more loving and caring, and more thankful for everyday that I have.

No matter what happens, me and her will stick together. She'll be like my little partner in crime. My little girl.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8588