What's Simple Is True by Teri
Summary:
The Sequel to Always Something. Turning over a new leaf isn't always so simple, especially since Nick and Alyssa have seen their fair share of heartache and tragedy in their lives. Can they get through the rough patches together and discover an all new level of intimacy and return to the same Nick and Ali we all know and love? Or will the pain of their past prove to be too much to handle for the couple?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Angst, Drama, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Graphic Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Nothing's Impossible: A Series
Chapters: 40 Completed: No Word count: 205305 Read: 83676 Published: 12/17/07 Updated: 12/13/08

1. Chapter 1: The Turn Of The Tide by Teri

2. Chapter 2: Return To Normalcy by Teri

3. Chapter 3: I'm Not The Girl You Think I Am by Teri

4. Chapter 4: Bitch And Moan by Teri

5. Chapter 5: Morning After Glow by Teri

6. Chapter 6: Listening Party by Teri

7. Chapter 7: Seatbacks And Tray Tables by Teri

8. Chapter 8: Unmistakable by Teri

9. Chapter 9: Stern Promotion by Teri

10. Chapter 10: Beauty And The Geek by Teri

11. Chapter 11: Unbridaled Angst by Teri

12. Chapter 12: The Power Of Goodbye by Teri

13. Chapter 13: Rumor Has It by Teri

14. Chapter 14: Slow Me Down by Teri

15. Chapter 15: Seems Like Yesterday by Teri

16. Chapter 16: Fan-Damonium by Teri

17. Chapter 17: To The Edge Of The Earth by Teri

18. Author Update by Teri

19. Chapter 18: Turkey Coma by Teri

20. Chapter 19: In Recovery by Teri

21. Chapter 20: Mr. And Mrs. Dorough by Teri

22. Chapter 21: Silent Night by Teri

23. Chapter 22: Christmas Time by Teri

24. Chapter 23: City Of Sin by Teri

25. Chapter 24: You Gotta Know When To Hold 'Em by Teri

26. Chapter 25: The River by Teri

27. Chapter 26: What Happens In Vegas Doesn't Always Stay In Vegas by Teri

28. Chapter 27: Gone Country by Teri

29. Chapter 28: The Calm Before The Storm by Teri

30. Chapter 29: Touring Package by Teri

31. Chapter 30: Shakespeare In Love by Teri

32. Chapter 31: Earshot by Teri

33. Chapter 32: Head Over Feet by Teri

34. Chapter 33: Matchmaker, Matchmaker Make Me A Match by Teri

35. Chapter 34: Tux and Cocktails by Teri

36. Chapter 35: The Death Of Singledom by Teri

37. Chapter 36: All You Need Is Love by Teri

38. Chapter 37: Newlywedded Bliss by Teri

39. Chapter 38: New Addition by Teri

40. Chapter 39: This Time It'll Be Different by Teri

Chapter 1: The Turn Of The Tide by Teri
Author's Notes:
WOOO it's starting! Nick and Alyssa hold a barbecue =)
What’s Simple Is True: Sequel To AS
Chapter One: The Turn of The Tide

“NICKOLAS GENE WHERE DID YOU PUT THE STEAKS?!” Alyssa screamed at the top of her lungs from the kitchen. Nick laughed as he came down the stairs.

“In the freezer in the garage.” He said walking in the room making her jump out of her skin.

She whirled around and put her hand to her chest. “Jesus fucking Christ!” She said breathlessly. He laughed and walked over to her backing her up against the cold stainless steel of the refrigerator. Alyssa grinned as he pinned her up against the doors.

He leaned in letting their lips just lightly graze each other before he pulled back as she began to move forward to kiss him. “You kiss your mother with that mouth?” He replied making her giggle at him.

“Well I suck you off with this mouth so I don’t think you should really care either way…”

He smirked and kissed her softly letting her get slightly more aggressive she tugged at his hair with her fingers lightly scraping over his scalp making him moan into the kiss and press his hips into hers. They broke the kiss smiling at each other. “Do you think…that we have enough time for a quickie before everyone gets here?” She asked with a small grin on her face. It frustrated her to no end that they still hadn’t had sex even after the events of the previous day on the boat.

“I don’t think so…” He said hearing the doorbell ring. “Besides someone else is aleady here.”

Alyssa groaned and pouted, “You sir are a fucking tease.”

“So says the one who likes to give hand jobs in public libraries.” He quipped back. Alyssa giggled and went back to cutting up vegetables and went out to the garage to grab the steaks and chicken. She threw them in the microwave defrosting them as Nick went to the front door. He looked throw the peephole seeing AJ and Kellie standing there. He opening the door and grinned at them. “Hey losers.”

Kellie rolled her eyes and handed him a plate of homemade fudge she’d made. “Assbag.” She replied giving him a hug. “I missed you Carter”

“Missed you to Kel. Alex, how are you?” He asked giving AJ a hug. “I’m all right, where’s the lil lady I miss her!” He said as Nick nodded towards the kitchen. AJ ran off in that direction and made Kellie giggle at him.

“He’s so excited that she’s feeling better. Mostly we’re just happy that you two are back to being happy again. He won’t say anything but he really envies your relationship with Ali.” Kellie admitted giving him a hug.

“Thanks Kel.” He said in return. He was definitely taken aback by her admission. Did that mean that she envied them too? He hoped that she and AJ could hopefully find that measure of happiness he’d been able to find. Things definitely hadn’t been easy for them to say the least and there was still a lot for them to do to grow together. At least now, he felt like he had the confidence in their determination and their love to be able to overcome those obstacles that were still left for them.

Meanwhile in the kitchen AJ walked in seeing Alyssa standing there in short jean shorts with frayed edges, a black camisole and the strings of her bikini wrapped around her neck. “There’s my favorite brunette!” He said with a warm grin. He felt good that she was feeling more like the Alyssa he’d grown to be so close with on the Never Gone tour two years prior.

Alyssa looked up and smiled brightly. “Alex!” She beamed giving him a hug. “How are you?” She asked breaking the hug and going back over to mix cream cheese and diced green chilies for her favorite appetizer; pin wheels.

“Good, Kellie’s on her way in…”

“And how are things going there? Good right?” She asked with a curious look on her face. She’d hoped for her friend’s sake that they’d found happiness together. After all the drama Aaron had put Kellie through, she needed a man and not a little boy. She hoped sincerely that Kellie had finally let herself go and be in a relationship that meant more to both sides rather than just one.

AJ grinned and nodded not wanting to give too much away. At that moment Kellie came walking in with Nick behind her. Nick walked over and wrapped his arms around Alyssa from behind while she continued to work in the kitchen. Kellie grinned seeing the physical contact between her two friends if that was any indication as to their recovery it gave Kellie a little bit of hope that maybe love could conquer all.

Later that afternoon…

Alyssa busied herself in the kitchen mixing virgin and non-virgin daiquiris for everyone as she was surrounded by the women she held close to her heart. “So…you and Nick…” Kellie started with a snarky grin. Alyssa rolled her eyes and dropped some diced pineapple into the blender.

“Me and Nick…?”

“Yeah have you two done some mattress mambo yet?” Lori interjected wanting to skip the pleasantries. She knew that something had definitely happened recently between the two of them and wondered exactly what that was.

She rolled her eyes and dished up the pinwheels she’d been making. “What are you guys, John Jay and Rich now?” She said laughing a little at her reference to her hometown DJs’ favorite phrase to describe sex.

“Still no sex huh?” Kellie asked in all sincerity. Just then Nick walked in the patio door hearing Kellie’s question. He hesitated before heading into the kitchen wondering what exactly Alyssa would say. He knew she always talked to the girls about their relationship and even though sometimes it bothered him that she so openly discussed it with them he was curious as to what she had to say when he wasn’t around.

“I’m not saying anything.” She said blushing a little.

“But something happened?” Kristin asked with a big grin.

The room was silent for a moment, “Oh come on Ali you always tell us!” Lori whined a little really wanting to know why her best friend was being so mum about what may or may not have happened.

“Well maybe I don’t want to talk about it okay? Things have changed, and I don’t really feel the need to tell you guys everything anymore. I’m happy with just being with him so it’s not all that important anymore what you think.”

Each of the girls got a shocked expression on their faces, that was definitely a completely different response than anything she’d ever given them before. “Something must have happened. Was it good?”

Alyssa sighed and closed her eyes momentarily. “We didn’t have sex yet. He’s really slowed us down from where we were. Maybe this is how it was meant to be, instead of hopping in the sack and deciding on a relationship later.”

“Do you think the pact ruined everything?” Kellie asked unsure if that’s where this conversation was heading.

Alyssa shrugged, “I don’t know maybe, but then again, it was our fault we didn’t talk to each other anymore. I didn’t realize how much I missed just laying around and talking like we used to. It’s the little things like that, that I didn’t think I would miss but I did and we have that back now. Hell we joke around again like back years ago. We’d been so consumed with bullshit and tragedy in our lives that I think I lost sight of how much I need his friendship even more than any of the physical stuff.”

“Wow…therapy’s been good to you hasn’t it?” Lori asked completely astonished by Alyssa’s insight and honesty. It shocked her how much of a turnaround she’d made so quickly within the last month. At the same time it made her happy that her sister-in-law had finally begun to understand what a real loving relationship was all about.

“Yeah it has…it’s at least made me see how good he’s been to me. No one else would have stuck by me through everything we’ve been through. Not even Collin would have.”

“Honey he loves you…” Kristin reasoned making everyone nod their heads in agreement.

Alyssa nodded too, “I know, but I guess I just didn’t realize it until now how much he really does care. I guess I don’t know I just felt for so long that everything was one sided, like I knew he cared but I just didn’t want to let myself really believe it was real. I wanted him to be like every other guy and eventually leave me or just get sick of me.”

Olivia snickered and hugged her sister grimacing slightly still feeling a bit out of it from her attack two months before hand. “Sweets come on it’s Nick…when has he ever not wanted to be around you?” She said breaking away.

Alyssa nodded, “Yeah…I know but I’m just glad it’s different now.”

“Have you told him that?”

“No not yet, I plan to just I need to do it at the right time. There’s so much I want to say to him about everything, and its just gonna take some time for me to get it all out. Anyways can we please stop talking about Nick and I now? Sometimes I feel like that’s all we ever talk about. So tell me about Mason and Baylee and Jamie..”

“Jamie can count to 15 now, and he’s only a year and a half.”

“Wow, that’s really good, you and Clark teaching him all that I’m assuming?” Alyssa asked. She loved her nephew and how much he looked like a perfect mix of Clark and Lori. While she didn’t ever really get the chance to know Noah, she felt like maybe she could make up for it a little bit by being the best aunt she could be to her small nephew.

“Yep…” Lori said with pride, they all tried to avoid the topic of children around Alyssa since what had happened with Noah, but all of them felt at ease now that Alyssa had brought up the topic herself and seemed to be rather happy with talking about the two small boys and infant that were all out on the deck with everyone else. Nick walked into the kitchen finally making Alyssa look up and grin at him.

“Hey you…” She said with a grin. “Here are the steaks and chicken all defrosted and marinated.” She said handing him a large heavy plate.

He smiled and kissed her temple as he took the plate from her. “Thank you…” He replied not exactly replying to her handing him the food but the conversation he’d overheard. He laughed to himself as he turned and left the kitchen at all the times he’d overheard her talking with her friends over the years yet this was so much different than all those other times.

He went over to the grill firing it up as the other girls walked out carrying plates of food and glasses and pitchers for everyone. “Hey baby…” AJ said as Kellie took her seat next to him. All the girls watched Alyssa as she walked over to Nick who was standing at the grill throwing the steaks and chicken on over the flames.

Kellie smirked, “Guys…” She whispered to everyone. “Look at them…” She added making everyone turn their glances towards the couple at the grill.

Alyssa wrapped her arms around his waist hugging him from behind. She leaned up and rested her chin on his shoulder. “I love you…” She whispered just quietly enough for him to hear her.

He took a deep breath and placed his hand over her folded ones that were resting at his waist. He grinned to himself and rubbed his fingers absently over the soft skin of her hands. “I love you too…” He whispered back making her grin and kiss his neck. “You’re really asking for it aren’t you?” He added craning his neck a little bit smiling at her.

“Maybe…then again…good things come to those who wait…” She replied breaking away from him.

Kellie grinned widely at the display though no one at the table heard what was said between them there was one thing for sure. “They’re back…” She announced making everyone smile that somehow they’d been able to finally get through to each other.

That evening…

Nick watched in amazement as Baylee chased Alyssa around the back yard. He laughed a little every time Baylee got close and she’d shriek and run faster away. Alyssa ran up onto the deck hiding behind Nick’s chair. “Save me!” She shrieked.

“Nah you’re on your own.” He chided pushing her out into the open for Baylee to get her with a squirt gun.

“Assbag!” She shrieked as Baylee got her again and she ran into the house. Baylee ran after her quickly and within a few moments there was a loud crash of what sounded like glass breaking. Nick stood up and rushed inside along with Brian and Leighanne worried that their son had gotten hurt. They walked in seeing Alyssa kneeling by Baylee and a broken picture frame on the ground of Alyssa and her father. “Hey it’s okay Bay…” She explained a little trying to soothe the upset child.

“I’m sorry I broke your frame…” He replied pouting.

Alyssa gave him a sympathetic look, “It’s all right just please be more careful next time, a picture frame is completely replaceable but you lil one are not.” She explained giving him a hug. “I’d hate to see you get hurt okay? So go play outside and be careful there’s glass on the floor.” She explained as he carefully went out of the room. Nick grinned and grabbed the dust pan and broom. He went over to her and knelt down as she picked up the frame with a disappointed sigh.

“That was really great of you to not yell at Baylee.”

“What else was I supposed to do? Be a total bitch and flip out over a stupid frame? At least the picture itself isn’t ruined. I can always get a new frame, I’m just glad that Baylee didn’t get cut or something.” He helped her clean up and took the dustpan over and tossed out the broken frame and glass. He took her and hugged her close to him. She broke away a moment later and grinned at him. “Any reason for that?”

He shrugged and took her hand leading them back out to the party and their guests. They took their seats and joined in the conversation that was animatedly going around with a small glance and a grin to each other they each felt like they’d come full circle.




If you read please feel free to let me know what you thought. Also my site is fully operational! www.drifting-in-between-dreams.com feel free to visit and drop me a line on my tagboard!
End Notes:
Tri!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you sweets for all your help!
Chapter 2: Return To Normalcy by Teri
Author's Notes:
So I know I know it's been a while since I've updated and hopefully that won't continue. The holidays were really rough for me and my family so that's one reason why I've been so absent from AC. I hope to hear from everyone soon!
Chapter Two: Return To Normalcy



“You overheard that?” She asked with a shocked glance to him at her side. She couldn’t believe that he’d overheard her conversation with the girls the other day at the barbecue. “Are you serious? You really overheard me saying that?”



Nick nodded, “Yeah and it was so completely different from any other time I’ve ever overheard a conversation between you and the girls over the years. Normally you tell them more than you tell me and now it’s like we’re telling each other more than our friends know about us. And I like that a lot.”



Dr. Pinsky grinned a little loving how much their dialogue had changed in just the few short weeks they’d been working on their communication skills. If this was any indication of their future relationship he considered them lucky to have one another to share their life with. “Alyssa does that surprise you that he’s overheard so much?”



“Makes me think he’s been spying on me.” She joked with a snarky grin. “But seriously this wasn’t the first time you’ve eavesdropped?”



Nick shrugged, “I never really intended on it happening but we live in the same house it happened a few times.”



“How many…?”



“I don’t know a few times I guess.”



“Nick for your assignment why don’t you tell her about what you’ve overheard over the years?” Dr. Pinsky suggested. He thought maybe getting Nick to open up about things he’d heard without her knowledge might very well help her to fully become comfortable with their idea of intimacy. “Alyssa also, why did you go to your friends for advice with your relationship? Do you think it could be that you were afraid to fully open up to Nick?”



Alyssa chewed her lip a little. “I don’t know for sure. I mean I guess I’d go to the girls because I was afraid of what Nick would think on a lot of things.”



Nick turned a little bit toward her. “Why? I mean come on you know me and know what reaction I’ll have more often than I do.”



“Yeah and sometimes that scares me. Like certain things I’d talk about with the girls, I know you’ll like it and it’s a bit unnerving. Or even when I know you’ll freak out about something I tend to shy away from telling you until I can word it just right.”



“Well for both of you I want you to really talk about anything and everything you’ve been holding back from each other. Just sit and talk about it. Doesn’t have to be formal or even reciprocal just each of you take the time and tell the other what’s going on in your heads about life and the relationship. Now I have a question for Nick. What made you come up with the idea to move out of LA and up to Monterey?”



Nick took a deep breath and began to explain, “Our house that we live in now. We’ve had so many memories there, some really amazing ones, but a lot of bad ones too. I wanted to give us a fresh start with a home that has no past at all a house that we can make what we want with it.”



“So by getting a new place, you can in a sense have a fresh start?”



Nick nodded, “Yeah pretty much, I mean we’ve worked really hard the last few weeks and I think it’s paid off a lot.”



“I agree with that, you two have made remarkable progress. There’s still a long ways to go but I have a feeling that you two will go far in this.”



Alyssa nodded, “It’s great that you want us to have a fresh start. I don’t know if I’m quite ready for a new house.”



“Well you have a few months to get ready because we have to design the thing and then have it built.”



“True.”



That afternoon…



“So you’re really moving to Monterey?” Kellie and Lori asked almost simultaneously.



Alyssa laughed a little and nodded, “Yeah we’re meeting with the architect tomorrow. It’s a little insane.” She replied sighing alittle she didn’t know what to think of Nick’s plan of uprooting them from they’re home on Venice beach. She’d come to love that house that he’d bought for them to live in while she was in college. It honestly was her first real home away from her parents home in Arizona. She was a bit uncertain she wanted to give up the little bit of stability that house had always provided for her even when her relationship with Nick seemed less than stable.



“Well it’s not like she’s moving to New York. It’s only Monterey, it’s a five hour drive north.” Kellie reassured.



“Depending on how fast you drive…” Lori added with a grin at how Alyssa was always the more lead foot-ed one of the group.



Alyssa smirked and nodded, “But seriously the land is gorgeous I can totally see us building a huge house there and having everyone over for a huge barbecue weekend. We even want to have a guest house added too so we can have you guys come up and stay for a weekend.”



“Seems like you two have it all planned out.”



“Yeah it seems like we do, but really we have no idea what we’re getting ourselves into. And we don’t even know if we’re going to sell the house here, because well the housing market sucks right now so even if we did try to sell it would we get market value for it?”



Kellie and Lori exchanged a glance and chuckled a bit. “You’re kidding right?”



“What?”



“Since when are you like a real estate guru?”



Alyssa lauched and rolled her eyes in slight annoyance at them, “I do watch the news you know. And read the papers. Just because I’ve been a little isolated with Nick doesn’t mean I’m not keeping up on current events.”



“Isolated isn’t really the term. More like a bubble. You two are completely different now.”



“Yeah is that so bad?”



“I don’t know maybe it is.”



“Lori!”



“What…it’s a little soon don’t you think for you two to be like BAM all better right? It’s only been a little over two months since you lost Noah. Don’t you think it’s a bit quick to be over it?”



Alyssa sighed and looked away. She took a deep breath and looked back at Lori. “You think I’m over it? If that’s what you think you’re dead wrong Lori.” She said sternly. She couldn’t believe that anyone would even think that she’d be the slightest bit over what had happened last July. She knew in her heart that she never truly be over what had happened. No one should ever have to bury a child let alone one that never even really got a chance at life. “We’re never going to be ‘over’ it Lorelei. What Nick and I went through was horrible and I hope never to relive it again. But it happened, and we can’t change it. All Nick and I can do is try to pull together, and hopefully lead a happier future. I don’t want to dwell on Noah’s death anymore. He died because he wasn’t ready to live. It was his time period end of story. And Nick and I are the ones that have to deal with it.”



“I’m just saying…” Lori began to explain taken completely aback by the fire in Alyssa’s stare and the firmness of her voice.



Alyssa held up her hand and shook her head. “No Lori. You’ll never understand what he and I went through. Yes you’ve been through quite a bit in your life too. But it’ll never compare to losing a child. God forbid anything should happen to Jamie. You don’t know how lucky you are to have a healthy little boy to go home to everyday.” She said standing up and walking out of the restaurant. She couldn’t help how angry she’d gotten at Lori’s remarks. She knew Lori didn’t mean anything by it but to just be a good friend but at the same time it infuriated her that she would never be able to understand the amount of pain that she’d been through that she was still going through.



“Ali!” Kellie shouted as she walked after her as they reached her truck. “Come on honey you know how Lori is, she likes to be everyone’s mother.”



Alyssa shook her head, “I’m going to be 24 soon. I don’t need a mother, I have one, I was one…if only for a brief moment.” She said getting a hurt look on her face feeling the corners of her eyes sting with tears.



“Ali…” She started. Alyssa gave her a look and shook her head before getting in the car and driving away. Alyssa was hurt by Lori’s remarks that was for sure. She headed home with her her heart racing. She’d never blown up like that before. Sure thing she’d gotten angry with them several times over the course of their friendship. That’s how friendships really worked out didn’t they? You agreed on some things and didn’t on others and sometimes that could lead to a fight. She sighed as she pulled into the driveway and into the garage parking next to Nick’s range rover.



She went inside seeing Nick sitting at the dining room table going over some bills and their monthly budget. “Hey…” She said sort of glumly. Nick looked up and grinned at her.



He looked down back at the papers and patted the chair adjacent to his for her to sit down. “How was your day?” He asked not looking up as he sorted the bills into a multi file folder that Alyssa had made them start back when they moved in. Alyssa laid her head on his shoulder and sighed in response. Hearing this he stopped and turned his head slightly to see her head resting on his shoulder, her shoulders in turn were slumped slightly with exhaustion and a touch of frustration. “Are you okay?” He asked noting her somewhat saddened demeanor as he continued sorting the papers before him.



“Had a stupid fight with the girls…”



He stopped and settled the papers on the table and then wrapped his arms around her. “So what happened?” He asked letting his concern show through in his voice.



“Just Lori was coming down on me for being so different so quickly after losing Noah…and it’s like well it still fucking hurts, but at least I don’t cry more than once a day about it anymore. It’s still really rough when I stop and physically think about it. But with work, and therapy and school and well you…I don’t really allow much time to dwell on it.”



Nick rubbed his fingers over her shoulder and kissed her temple. “It’s okay honey to get frustrated that they don’t understand. They’ve never been through something this personal I guess.”



Alyssa shrugged and turned to look over at his face, “I know it’s just frustrating. I mean is it still rough for you that we lost him?”



Nick nodded, “Yeah…” He said his mouth and throat suddenly becoming dry. He hated thinking of the night he lost their son. He still blamed himself for not being there when he passed. But something in his mind told him that it was better that he didn’t personally see the cessation of life in that little incubator that night. If he had…he didn’t know what his reaction would have been. He did know, however, that it would have been ten times worse.



“Sorry…for bringing it up and all…”



“No…it’s okay…I’m glad you did. It’s been rough on us both this whole thing but at the same time, if I didn’t have you to come home to then it really would be much harder.”



Alyssa sighed and gave him a short but sweet kiss. She broke it momentarily and breathed out, “I love you.”



He kissed her forehead and drew her close. “I love you too.”



“So how about we make dinner. You set the table and I’ll cook?” Alyssa offered with a grin.



He smiled back at her, “How about we eat in the living room tonight?”



“Sounds like a plan to me.”



Later on that night…



Alyssa giggled as they laid together on the couch. “Seriously how many fucking candles did you light?”



Nick laughed a little harder as he tightened his arm around her shoulders and the one around her waist as they laid comfortably spooning on the couch. “Lost count after like twenty.” He shrugged.



Alyssa sighed, “What has gotten into you lately?” She asked cocking her head to the side to look over her shoulder at him. He smirked and kissed her cheek.



“What do you mean?”



“This, this whole romance thing we have going.”



He arched an eyebrow at her in surprise, “Are you complaining?” He asked nuzzling her neck making her giggle and scrunch up her neck to stop him from tickling her with his breath.



“No just…well…it’s odd. Like I’m not really used to it. Yeah we’ve always had great romance and chemistry don’t get me wrong…but they always came sort of second to…”



“Sex… I know it’s why I’ve been trying to balance everything out.”



“And pulling the bitch routine on me.” She said with a sly smirk. She always made fun of him for calling how girls would hold out sex from their significant others, the “bitch routine”. Ever since he’d made the comment on Howard Stern the year before when he had referenced his hesitation with Paris.



Nick laughed as she turned around in his embrace making him lay back flat on the couch bringing her on top of him. “I am not pulling the bitch routine. I’ve had sex with you remember…”



Alyssa laughed a little and pinched his sides. “I don’t know…maybe you should remind me.”



“Horny much?”



Alyssa groaned and relaxed against him, “You’re terribly frustrating sometimes you know?”



He snickered at her and rubbed his hands along her back. “Well I’m just a little hesitant with getting back into that side of our relationship. It sort of fucked us up in the first place and we shouldn’t have let it get in the way.”



“So better to not have sex at all than have sex and not talk?” She asked sitting up straddling his hips looking down at him with a smirk. He pushed her back a little and sat up keeping their distance just enough from each other.



“No…I didn’t say that, it’s just this time I want it to be different.”



“It is different now, everything is.” Alyssa countered. “I mean hell we’re going to be moving out of this house in a few short months into another home.”



“Yeah I know you’d be a little apprehensive about moving out.”



“Well yeah, Nick this is my home in LA, it’s gonna be hard to give up this place.”



“I know…it’s hard for me too, but sometimes you just have to start over someplace new.” He said making her nod in agreement.



“I get that I honestly do. I just don’t know if I’m ready to part with this place just yet.”



He smirked and brought her down to him and kissed her. “You don’t have to be ready now, we still have time.” He replied breaking the kiss and smiling at her.


Chapter 3: I'm Not The Girl You Think I Am by Teri
Author's Notes:
Woo! Another chapter! Currently I'm working on chapter 7 so I have a nice little cushion going on woo! Okay here we go finally got some momentum going with WSIT hope to hear from all of you!
Chapter Three: I’m Not The Girl You Think I Am


Alyssa typed furiously on her laptop trying to get everything in order as far as grading for her students. She sighed completely content to be back in the online teaching setting. She’d missed it over the year and a half she taught lecture courses. She saved the grades and then suddenly her screen flickered and froze. She looked at it in horror her laptop had never done that before in the several years that she’d owned it. She tried rebooting it and took out the battery and unplugged it. She plugged it back in and installed the battery and hit the power button. It started to go on and then it sputtered and went black. She shrieked and freaked out frantically pressing buttons and began breathing heavily. Hearing her shrieking Nick came running into the room, “What’s wrong?”

Alyssa looked up with tears in her eyes. “My laptop died!!!” She cried.

Nick sighed and gave her a hug. “You have everything backed up right?”

Alyssa stopped for a moment and sighed. She knew everything was saved on her external hard drive, she’d learned one too many times earlier in life and from her siblings experiences to always back everything up. “Yeah…”

“Well hook it up to mine until we can order you a new one”

Alyssa huffed, “But it’s not the same. I wrote my thesis on that computer and now it’s like not even working anymore.”

“Well it lasted a long time baby. It’s just its time to get a new one.”

“But I loved that one, it’s just not the same.”

Nick rolled his eyes and laughed, “Okay Carrie…come on it’s just a computer.” He said referencing the episode of Sex And The City when Carrie’s beloved laptop died mid-sentence.

“Oh shut up.” She said with an exasperated sigh. “Seriously it’s not funny.” She added seeing Nick’s face break out in a grin.

“You can use mine until you get another one.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, it’s fine, just use it it’s over on my desk where it always is.”

Alyssa walked over to his desk flicking on the computer. “Since when do you openly quote SATC?” Alyssa asked with a snarky grin.

“Since you started forcing me to watch it all the time on my solo tour.” He shot back laughing as he left the room.

************************************
Alyssa Narrating:

I cannot believe my fucking laptop died on me! Ugh this sucks. At least I have Nick’s laptop to use for the time being. It’s a little interesting to say the least. All the pictures he has of us on here. Okay, okay I know I should not be snooping. But I can’t help it. I want to know what he has on here, and apparently he trusts me enough to let me have full access to it. I love that he has the pictures of our trips and personal pictures we’ve taken of each other over the years. But on the other hand it’s always cute to see what he finds the most memorable out of our pictures. It’s really kind of cute.

It’s been sort of like that a lot lately. He’s been doing all sorts of cute little things like letting me use his laptop or hell he even grocery shopped for me while I worked on stuff for students. He hates shopping for food just because it honestly is the most annoying way to shop ever. So he went and brought back all the stuff we needed in the house. He even made a list! Nick never makes lists ever. Especially for groceries.

Things have been really good lately between us. It’s been hard not having sex. I really want it, I think now more than ever. And really I know it’s because I’m not getting it anymore. You’d think going without for months would make me more horny than I am earlier on but we were just so fucked up emotionally with everything now that we sorted it out between us it’s like oh come on just fuck me!

I mean we mess around and God it’s amazing. If that’s any indication of what sex is going to be like then holy shit…I’m going to die. It’s completely amazing because I love just being near him now to the point where getting off is great but just having him there touching and kissing me is just well perfection in an of itself.

Okay, okay I admit I appreciate Nick so much more now. There’s even more fire between us than the first time around when we started dating. I want him to just completely have me now. It’s a little insane and it makes me think I’m crazy or just plain weird. I mean is it wrong for me to just want to walk up to him and tell him he can do anything and everything he wants period. It really scares the hell out of me that I want to give up that much control and just so willingly over to him.

Does that mean I’m ready to marry him now? I’m willing to move to a new home for him, for us. It’s all about us now and it scares me that I don’t care about anything as much anymore except for him. I wake up in the morning and I see him sleeping beside me and I’m happy. For once in my life I’m really and honestly happy. And I have Noah to thank for it.

I know that sounds horrible, I’m happy because of what happened? But that’s not what I mean at all. Losing Noah…it made me see what I was doing to my relationship. I was destroying it. We both were. Noah was a rude awakening. We were headed down a path that was going to destroy us. Noah saved us. It’s how I have to look at it so I can find some purpose in it all. His death was tragic and heart breaking. It still is really hard to think about the fact that I carried him and I never really got the chance to know him. Maybe it’s for the better that I didn’t see him. It may have made his death even harder to bear.

Nick’s proven to me through all of this of how strong he is. But at the same time, how vulnerable he is as well. He’s just become so much more to me than anything I ever thought of. I mean I’ve always seen him as my best friend, my lover, my ‘one’ so to speak but now it’s just like there’s more depth to each of those portions to us. Just sitting here watching him across the room writing out his thank you for the album is just what I need to keep me completely content. The way his brow furrows as he’s trying to get everything out of his head and onto the page as he scribbles endlessly. He sticks out the tip of his tongue just out of the corner of his mouth and it’s just endearing. I don’t know but everything he does lately innocent or not makes him more and more fuckable.

I don’t know how much longer I can last. Hell just watching him do the dishes or play with Layla makes me want to touch him, suck him off, hell just fucking violate him. It’s driving me crazy…I have to admit, I think it’s partially this new look he has. He’s healthier and thinner. I’ve always loved his looks simply because he’s hot. It doesn’t matter to me that he was a little bit heavier. He always looked good to me. But really now it’s like whoa…hot. I saw him working out and I wanted to faint. My knees literally buckled. It’s so strange that we’ve come full circle. Although we’ve truly changed a lot from way back in 2004. Three years since we decided to go through with the pact. Three years since we started dating and I’ve never been so attracted to him in my entire life.

No one else really gets it. Lori and Kellie don’t that’s for sure. I know they want to understand but it’s okay that they don’t. I barely understand it myself. The fight with the girls definitely sucked that’s for sure. But I couldn’t help it. I was frustrated that she thought that I was “over” everything. I’m not over it. Not by any stretch, but I’m definitely on my way to moving on and becoming stronger.

Hearing all the things Nick’s overheard over the years was also another thing that’s brought us closer. From him hearing that I love him months before I ever said anything to him was just great to know that he knew. That I never had to say anything to him but I wanted to. I needed to tell him I love him. I still do, I say it every chance I get. I lost my dad and I regretted all the times I didn’t say it to him. I lost Noah and never got to say it to his face. So with Nick…I’m making use of my time with him. I have to because really it could all end 50 years from now…. or 50 days from now.

We never can know what the future will hold but fortunately we’ll be ready for whatever comes our way.

End Narration.
*************************************

“Okay so we’ve covered how you two dealt with loss, and Noah and your friendship. Now have you two had sex yet?” Dr Pinsky asked wondering if they had begun the physical part of their relationship.

Alyssa and Nick shook their heads ‘no’ “Not by my choice either…” Alyssa muttered under her breath.

“Alyssa…”

“What I’m sorry I’m just a little sexually frustrated, it’s been how long?”

“Forever I know, but come on it’s not like I’m intentionally holding out it’s just I want to take it slow.”

Dr. Pinsky smirked sensing that they both really wanted to get back to that part of their relationship but Nick’s uncertainty was holding them back. “What’s stopping you Nick?”

Nick took a deep breath, “I don’t want it to ruin our friendship like it had before.” He said in a hurry. He hated admitting that wanting more and taking their relationship to the next level had indeed ruined their once strong bonds of friendship. It seemed to him like as soon as they started sleeping together, all real communication had almost ceased until they started in therapy.

“You honestly think it ruined everything? So what now we’re gonna be like June and Ward Cleaver? Do I have to buy twin beds instead of our bed at home?” She shot back with a snarky tone.

Nick closed his eyes and sighed, “Ugh, Ali come on…it’s not like that. I’m glad we’re communicating better I just don’t want to jinx anything by jumping into anything too soon.”

“He is right Alyssa. Do you have any fears that you’re trying to dispel by hopping back into bed?” Dr. Pinsky asked.

Alyssa swallowed hard she hadn’t ever wanted to bring up the fact that because of Nick and their strong bonds of friendship and trust, she was willing to do a lot more things than she would have done with any other man. A lot of things like experimenting and the threesome for example were fun and had completely changed her view of sex but at the same time…beforehand she wasn’t entirely comfortable with the ideas and only acted as such to please Nick. “It’s nothing really it’s stupid.”

“It’s not stupid…” Nick and Dr. Pinsky both said with a sympathetic tone.

“I’m not as freaky as you thought.”

“What?”

“A lot of the things we did together over the past years weren’t exactly things I was entirely comfortable with.”

“If you didn’t want to you could have told me so…”

Alyssa shook her head and waved him off, “It’s not that Nick. I wanted to do those things for you.”

“But if you weren’t comfortable you didn’t have…”

“No Nick I wanted to be perfect for you. I’d heard all those stories of yours over the years and I wanted to be the perfect girlfriend. The one who wouldn’t say no to certain things. Who would want to do everything you had always wanted to do but were afraid to ask for.”

Nick thought a moment, “So is that why you want to jump back into bed? Like all the times we had sex you weren’t being yourself?”

“Kind of…doing all those things for you and well me too because I’d always kind of wanted to do them but I was always to scared to. It changed me…and I can’t change back. I don’t know if I like it better now. And I guess I’m trying to figure out if I’m really okay with how you’ve changed me.”

“Do you blame me?”

“No…Of course not. You didn’t know what you were doing. I just wasn’t as honest and open with you about what I liked and didn’t like. It’s almost as if when we were keeping our relationship a secret it was like nothing was really forbidden because we were breaking the rules of friendship by sneaking around with each other you know?”

"Well you should've told me. I held things back over the years, too. And that's why we should be taking it slow now. To really learn each other and understand each other more than we did last time."

Dr. Pinsky nodded and sat forward. “Okay I have an assignment for the two of you. By next week’s session I want you two to try to have sex. Not necessarily today but ease into it. Really take your time with each other and don’t hold back anything. It’ll help you two realize that you can have a balance between platonic and sexual bonds.” He said with a reassuring nod.

The next afternoon…

Alyssa sat typing on Nick’s laptop curling her toes as she stretched out her legs on their bed. She loved lounging on it, it was the perfect comfort at the moment, especially with her laid-back attire as well. She’d taken a shower about twenty minutes before hand She looked around the room seeing their picture on his nightstand of the two of them near the kitchen her pulling at his belt as he bit her neck a mischievous grin on her face. The picture was one of her favorites of theirs especially since Lori had taken it for them. She sighed and looked at the desktop completely bored since she’d finished everything she’d set out to do that day.

She started browsing around on his computer looking for something to occupy her time. She checked her email and did a little blogging on her myspace account with some new pictures of their barbecue with everyone. Her personal favorite was of herself, Nick, Kellie, AJ, Lori and Clark. She loved how her two best friends had finally found love like she had. Lori and Clark’s marriage was rolling along smoothly. Kellie and AJ were moved in together and seemed to be blissfully happy. Alyssa turned back to the computer’s desktop looking through Nick’s folders trying to find something to distract her until he returned home.

She cocked her head to the side when she found a folder with her name on it. She opened it and saw various pictures and media files. One picture in particular, Alyssa was asleep sprawled out on the bed half on her side and half on her stomach, the sheets only covering her naked hips. She saw the date on it… it was their first anniversary, or well the morning after while they were still on the Never Gone tour back in 2005. She smirked and looked around seeing a media file with the same date on it and the label “First anniversary”. She paused for a moment and thought about what they had done that night in the hotel room. Her eyes widened as she double clicked the file opening it in QuickTime.

She saw them on the screen as she leaned over the side of the bed as Nick rested on top of her while they kissed. Alyssa watched as clothes began to come off and her breathing began to get ragged and shallow. She didn’t know he kept this on his laptop…Was he trying to torture her even more than she already was? One thing was for sure she knew she couldn’t take it any longer.

Meanwhile Nick drove home from a radio interview he’d had earlier that morning where they talked about the upcoming album. He made his way back to their home and pulled into the driveway. He opened the door and walked inside greeting Layla with a pat to her head. He noticed the house was quiet. Maybe Alyssa was still working he thought. He was hoping that he could possibly distract her from working. He didn’t want to admit it but not being physical like they used to be drove him nuts as well. He sighed and made his way up the stairs looking in the office noticing she wasn’t there. His brow furrowed in confusion as he walked to the bedroom. He heard her heavy breathing and a slight gasp and stopped just outside the door. He looked around wondering what exactly was going on. He slowly looked around the doorjamb and saw her laid across their bed in her bra and panties one hand down the front of her white cotton underwear as she arched her back and sighed breathlessly.

“Nick…” She moaned out softly making his heart skip and his stomach flip. He felt his entire body wire with energy as he unconsciously moved toward the bed and took her hand away from her body. She jumped at the realization of his presence. “What the hell?!” She shrieked in surprise. He pushed her body back down on the bed and claimed her mouth in his as his hands went to her sides and sliding down to her hips. Alyssa broke the kiss and gasped for air as he sucked along her neck. Nick lifted her up sliding her bra off along with her underwear tossing them across the room. Alyssa sat up pulling his shirt over his head and her hands went to his jeans slipping them off. She smirked noticing he’d opted not to wear boxers that day. She pulled him to her and pressed her mouth to his aggressively. She moved her mouth to his neck then up to his ear. “Fuck me…” She rasped into his ear. He pushed her away and shook his head ‘no’ as he pushed her body onto the bed his body joining hers a moment later as they kissed and touched all over their bodies. Alyssa grew impatient she wanted them to be able to come together or at least within moments of each other like they had become so used to, however she didn’t think Nick was actually going to go that far so Alyssa decided to take matters into her own hands. She pushed Nick over onto his back and leaned down wrapping her fingers around the base of his cock as her tongue swirled around the tip making him hiss and growl.

Nick got the hint at what she was doing and leaned up grabbing her hips and swinging one leg over him and Alyssa stopped for a second and smirked to herself as she felt him pulling her hips up. She threw her head back when she felt his tongue flick across her clit sending a jolt of pleasure through her before she put her mouth back on him hollowing out her cheeks to suck harder at his skin. He growled against her making her shiver and moan. He sucked on her clit for a moment spurring her on to press her teeth gently to his shaft. He groaned as he moved his tongue to plunge inside her while he circled his thumb over her clit in lazy circles that increased in pressure with every pass. Alyssa tugged gently on his sack as she moved her mouth faster on him taking him in as deep as she could.

A few moments later he growled no longer being able to hold back as he came. Even though it left him nearly spent of all his energy he kept moving his mouth on Alyssa as she brought him down off his high while he brought her closer and closer to her release. He felt her body begin to shiver as he moved his mouth and fingers faster on her bringing her a lingering climax that made her collapse to his side with a loud moan. She rolled onto her back and tried to catch her breath. Her chest was moving rapidly up and down indicating how much her release had taken out of her. He watched her for a moment and moved toward her to begin again but was stopped when she placed a hand on his chest. “Nnnoo.” She stuttered breathlessly.

“What why? I thought you wanted this?”

Alyssa turned her head to look at him as he had repositioned himself to lay at her side. “I do…believe me I do…but…I…I can’t I need to catch my breath.” She replied as her breathing began to slow. He chuckled at her slightly. “What?”

“Nothing…just damn…I didn’t expect to come home and have this happen.”

Alyssa laughed and rolled to her side letting him pull her against his chest. “But you wanted it to happen right?”

“Something along those lines yeah…”

Alyssa giggled and rested her head against his chest, “Well whatever this is…it’s definitely different isn’t it?”

He gave her a look and nodded in agreement, “Yeah it really is.”
End Notes:
Thank you to Tri and Mel for all your help. As always feedback makes me happy =)
Chapter 4: Bitch And Moan by Teri
Author's Notes:
yay another chapter! Hehe let me know what ya'll think ok?
Chapter Four: Bitch And Moan

It was early the following morning. Nick had called the band meeting over at the house and the three others had already shown up and were discussing plans for their promo tour starting in two days. “So is Alyssa coming?” Brian asked referring to the upcoming promotional tour.

“Probably on a regular basis.” Howie quipped automatically changing the tone and meaning of Brian’s comment.

Nick rolled his eyes at the apparent joking around between the guys about his reputation with Alyssa in the bedroom. He wondered for a moment to himself what touring would be like with her now. Would they be fighting to find every little moment alone together? Would they just be content to fall asleep together than what they were used to on the last tour? “Anyways…are we going to have time to sight see a bit or is it just going to be interview after interview?” He asked quickly changing the subject away from his and Alyssa’s bedroom activities or lack thereof.

“Whoa wait a second you’re just going to change the subject?” AJ asked completely surprised. He knew from what Kellie had told him there was little to nothing going on that she knew of and that alone intrigued AJ into finding out what exactly they were keeping secret from everyone.

Nick sighed as he looked at the three men all awaiting an answer. He heard Alyssa’s high heels clicking on the tile getting louder by the second as she began to make her way to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee before her meeting. “It’s not like that, I just don’t feel like talking…about……it…” He said trailing off when he saw Alyssa pass them and go into the kitchen. He stared for a moment noticing the grey tweed pencil skirt with matching 3-inch Mary Jane stilettos, white form fitting button down blouse, and her long brunette hair up in a ponytail that hung down to her shoulders. The others noticed Nick’s reaction to Alyssa’s dressed up appearance. Nick turned back to them a moment later. “Where was I?”

“Trying to avoid talking about her…” AJ reminded.

Alyssa turned after having taken a long drink from her large coffee mug. Brian grinned knowing that it wasn’t a good idea to try to talk to her before she had her morning dose of caffeine. He noticed her more relaxed expression and her grin when she looked over at the guys. “Morning Ali…” He said with a grin.

She smiled back and set her mug down. “Morning guys. Important meeting?” She asked looking at Nick.

He nodded and she sighed. “Seems we have a lot of those lately. I’m meeting with Jennifer then I have to talk with my PhD advisor.”

“You’re really getting your doctorate?”

“Attempting to yes. Don’t know how I’ll be able to do it and tour on top of all my work with my students online.” She admitted with a slightly defeated glance to the floor. She filled her thermos full of coffee and grabbed her laptop bag by the bar.

“I’ll walk you out.” Nick said standing quickly making Alyssa look at him strangely. She shrugged and let him follow her out to her car. She loaded her laptop bag and thermos into the truck and went to say goodbye to Nick. He gave her a glance and with one simple push to her lower abdomen he pushed her back against the side of the truck and moved to put one leg on either side of hers. “You’re very mean you know this?” He said with a smirk keeping their mouths inches apart from each other.

She smirked, “Sorry didn’t realize you have a thing for my work clothes.”

He rolled his eyes and pressed his mouth to hers silencing their conversation for a moment. He pressed himself against her as her hands went to his hair weaving her fingers through it. She traced his lips with her tongue until he opened his mouth sweeping out his to duel with hers passionately. She groaned into the kiss as his hands gripped her hips to keep them from moving on him. A few moments later Nick pulled away and smiled at her. “Have a good day sugar.” He replied.

Alyssa narrowed her eyes and stared at him, “You’re so dead when I get home.”

He grinned and kissed her softly. “Then don’t be too long...Don’t want to be up all night.”

She laughed and got in the truck, “I’m thinking that might not be too bad you know?”

He shut the door and chuckled before heading back into the house watching her as she pulled out of the driveway and down the street. He walked back into the house and sat down with the guys who were still in the same place they were. All three of them noticed his mussed hair, and Alyssa’s lipstick smeared on him. Brian chuckled to himself quietly but Nick would have no such luck with the other guys.

AJ started in on him with a snarky grin. "Nick that is not your shade of lipstick man...am I gonna have to take u to get a make over?" He remarked sarcastically with a very feminine tone to his voice that made the others crack up in response.

Nick rolled his eyes and wiped his mouth, “Dude what did Kellie do to you?”

Brian chimed in at that moment with, “Oh come on you’re worse than him!”

“At least I’m getting pussy out of the deal.” AJ quipped back. He knew Nick and Alyssa hadn’t had sex yet from talking to Kellie about it or at least Alyssa wasn’t talking about whatever maybe happening.

Nick snickered and replied, “It’s not that great as I recall.”

AJ’s eyes narrowed at him at his apparent reference to the threesome almost two full years before now. “Yeah well that’s because it was what one time? She didn’t say you were all that great either.” He chided. “And I bet she’s more adventurous than Ali ever has been.” He boasted.

Nick laughed a little “What state are you living in? The state of delusion?” He scoffed making Brian cackle and Howie turn red from laughing so hard.

Howie turned to Brian letting the other two continue their pissing contest. “So Brian how was the date night thing you and Leighanne are trying?”

“Amazing, ended up having sex in the back of the Mercedes in the driveway last night.” He said with a dazed grin. That comment made both Nick and AJ end their little verbal scuffle and turn towards the other two.

“Ew…” Nick said wrinkling his nose at the thought of his best friend and his wife fucking. “That’s just ew.”

Brian rolled his eyes, “Just because you’re celibate doesn’t mean I can’t have hot sex with my wife thank you very much.”

"Why are you guys all making fun of me for waiting?" Nick asked a little shocked they were all so concerned with his sex life.

"Umm because you're ADD boy you never wait" Brian quipped back with a Cheshire grin.

Nick rolled his eyes and shrugged, “Oh shut up.” He replied gruffly.

Howie chuckled and caught his breath from all the laughter he’d expelled. "Well it has been awhile maybe he's scared that it'll be over in ten seconds."

“It would NOT be ten seconds.”

“Okay five then.” AJ remarked with a smile. Nick’s nostrils flared and he gritted his teeth at the apparent teasing they were all torturing him with.

“Well isn’t it true if you go solo first it’ll last longer?” Brian added trying to give Nick some advice.

Nick looked at him strangely and replied, “What the fuck?! Since when do you talk about this so openly?”

“Got laid in the driveway last night.” He replied in a singsong voice that made Nick snicker-snort at him.

AJ laughed hard at Brian’s rather chipper demeanor and replied, “Bri, come on you’re talking to the whore of backstreet…he’s been around the block about a billion times.”

“So he’s like McDonald’s…” He said making the other three look at him with a confused expression on their faces. “You know…over a billion served worldwide!” He exclaimed making all the others bust out laughing.

“Okay God…stop all of you.” Nick said shaking his head. “It’s bad enough that I have to have blatant temptation here at home with Ali around, but Jesus I don’t need the torture from you three too.” He said calming down from his laughter.

“What is she doing?”

“Uh did you not see the outfit this morning?”

“And the ponytail…” Brian added with a smirk. “You and your weird fetishes.”

“Hey now, don’t be knockin’ the hair. She looked hot!” Nick defended, “Its just stuff like that, that makes it so difficult to wait until the right time.”

“Well there’s no time like the present.” Howie added making Nick snicker and the rest of them bust out laughing again.

Later that afternoon…

Alyssa made her way over to the college where she was taking courses for her doctorate. She when into the advising office and let them know she was there for her meeting with her advisor. She sat nervously for a moment before checking her phone seeing no new messages. She sighed and put it down looking up just in time for her advisor Carol to come out of her office to invite her in. “Miss Monroe?” She asked as Alyssa stood and nodded. “It’s very nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too.” She replied with a slight smile. She took a deep breath before going into the office to sit down. It was bad enough her earlier meeting with Jennifer had not gone well at all especially with certain other faculty associates who were gunning for her job. She hated being so underestimated and undervalued by people in her job. Just because she was on a reality show and was engaged to a celebrity shouldn’t mean that she was anything less than what she did as far as job performance. Luckily Jennifer had been there to lift her spirits a bit after the meeting reassuring her that teaching online classes would be fine until she was ready to come back to the classic classroom setting.

“So you want to have a completely online PhD program?”

“Yes I’d be able to come to the campus about once a month. But I’m going to be traveling a lot while I teach my online courses and I would really think it’d be beneficial to my research and my goals for my dissertation to have an online program.” She stated.

Carol nodded, “Well that’s not completely unheard of. But it will take about four letters of recommendation and some really hard dedication once you’re in the program full time.”

“Of course I’m completely dedicated to furthering my education especially now that I’m a professor.” She explained.

“Okay. Well traveling doesn’t really seem like you’re all that dedicated.”

“I travel with my fiancé he’s got a very mobile job and I like to go with him so we can at least spend some time together when we’re not working.” She explained further, she couldn’t believe she was having to defend how her life was to someone. She’d never really had to do that when she’d switched to her online program in her undergraduate work. But then again this was postgraduate course work she was talking about, it was far more focused and required a lot more attention than undergrad or graduate work.

Carol took a few notes, “Well I have spoken with your superiors at the languages and literatures department and they all speak very highly of you and how you’ve dealt with being in the limelight since your fiancé is a celebrity.”

Alyssa took a breath a little taken back by having to talk about Nick. “Yeah he is, but that’s his career I’m looking to further mine by working hard and getting a higher degree.” She said confidently.

“That’s a good outlook. Get those letters of reference to me by the end of the month and we should be able to accommodate what you’re looking for. I do have to admit I was a little apprehensive in meeting you. You may have a great track record and great grades, but the publicity of the last year and a half hasn’t always been glowing so I know that many in this department were worried that you’d bring that over here as well.” She admitted making Alyssa’s back straighten in defiance.

“Well believe me it wasn’t my choice about the publicity at all. The only reason why I’m in the reality show this time around is because well I live in the house where it was shot, and they are my family or will be once Nick and I set a date. But I don’t really see how that should affect anything I may do here. I’m here to learn, not to get or give publicity to anything or anyone.” She replied.

“Then there shouldn’t be a problem. Honestly I don’t have a problem with you Alyssa, your record speaks loud and clear that you’ll be able to handle the PhD program here. I just hope you prove me right.”

Meanwhile…

“So how’s promotion with the show?” AJ asked as Nick and him stood by the grill cooking up lunch for him and the others.

“It’s been fine, just radio interviews and such. Aaron and the girls have been handling everything else for it. I’m just glad that it’ll start just as we’re doing promotion so it’s like double exposure for us. Thankfully there’s no major fighting between me and Aaron this time.”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah it got so much easier with Alyssa around. But it’s going to be so hard to watch it if at all.” He said reminding himself that throughout the show Alyssa had been pregnant with Noah only to lose him a few months after the show had finished taping. True she wasn’t very far along throughout the show but they still had talked about it at length and he hoped that it wouldn’t be so noticeable how excited they both were to be pregnant and starting a family only to not show how it had been ripped away from them. He’d done several interviews where he’d talked about how losing their child was really difficult and how they both were finding strength in each other and growing closer through their loss.

However that didn’t stop the tabloid machine for coming up with a new excuse every week as to why they still hadn’t set a wedding date or that they were breaking up. He shook his head at how ridiculous the headlines were becoming. Almost to the point of saying that the child was actually a love child between her and Brandon and they’d simply given him away for adoption. It irked him to no end what ludicrous stories the tabloids would make up just to sell copies.

“How have you two been handling the tabs?”

“Eh we ignore them for the most part. But I’m just worried it’s going to affect Ali’s job. She works so fucking hard and has proven herself over and over that she’s an amazing teacher. But…”

“But yeah, what if it’s not enough?”

“Yeah exactly, I mean dude you should have seen how hard she worked in college. She had job offers from all over the place. But she’d told Jennifer about wanting to teach college and they had her TA for her and she did a really great job so she got offered the job at UCLA.”

“Shit really? I didn’t know she worked that hard. I thought she got it all handed to her.”

Nick shook his head, “Hell no, that girl would lose sleep, a lot of it just to keep her grades up. She was pulling over 20 credits a semester and kicked ass every time. I would sit up with her some nights and work on songs while she would be doing research and studying for test after test. Seriously no one knows how hard she works. Hell even now with school, she spends most of her spare time working on research and writing better lectures and reading teaching journals so she can become a better professor.”

“Wow…talk about determined.”

“Yeah, which is why it pisses me off when people discount or discredit her for having me as her fiancé or being so young. Fuck she’s almost 24 and is a full time professor? That’s practically unheard of. The only reason she got it aside from knowing her shit was that she works so hard to be the best she can be.”

“No I had no idea. Kellie works her ass off too and she’s graduating in December.”

“Yeah and they started school at the same time. Kellie wanted to take her time with school. Alyssa she was more like I need to get done I don’t want to be in school the rest of my life sort of thing.”

“Speaking of which I have an idea…”

“Uh oh…”

“Well I’ve already talked to the others, and you know how Kellie chose the clothes for the video right?”

“Yeah?” Nick asked already knowing where this was going.

AJ took a breath gathering his thoughts, “Why don’t we hire her as the new stylist? She’s got the knowledge and hell you don’t mind her being around, she could keep Ali occupied while we’re working.”

Nick laughed, “Why are you trying to sell me on this?”

“Because I really want her there.”

“Well if the others said it’s all right then I don’t see a problem with it.” Nick replied as he flipped the chicken over letting it sear the other side.

“Sweet.”

“What are you two plotting over there?” Howie and Brian said stepping out onto the deck as they finished cooking the chicken on the grill.

“I was just asking him about Kellie becoming our stylist.”

Brian and Howie both snickered at AJ for to ask Nick if it was okay to bring Kellie on tour. “Only reason Nick’s okay with it is he still wants a replay of the threesome.”

Nick snickered and shook his head at the two of them. “Dude I don’t need to be reminded that my girlfriend fucked him okay?”

“One time…that was it. Besides she did it with Ali first.”

AJ sighed and shook his head. “Dude see that’s not fair.” AJ whined a little, “How come you get all that.”

“You did back when you were all messed up in 2001 remember the porn bus you had?”

AJ cracked up and rolled his eyes, “Yes I do, but I barely remember half the shit I did on that. I’m glad I didn’t meet Kellie until AFTER I got my shit together. I would have totally fucked up if we’d met before I straightened out.”

“Yeah I know. Besides I think Kellie had her fill of a fucked up relationship with Aaron. He really hurt her by all the shit that he did. Especially after they broke up she wanted him to clean up his act and possibly get back together. But then all that shit with Kari happened and she had to move on.”

“Yeah I know she told me about it before I asked her to move in. I’m glad that she was able to move on. Allowed her to get with me.”

Nick smiled, “So you going to be settling down anytime soon?”

“Hmmm maybe after you and Ali get married. By the way when is that?” AJ asked with a grin.

Nick took a deep breath and sighed, “I have no fucking clue yet, I’m actually going to talk to her about that soon so we can start planning.”

Brian grinned at Nick happy to hear that the wedding was still indeed on for the two of them. “Well if you have any questions ask me or Kev.”

“Yeah I was thinking of something really low key, just friends and family. I know Ali is ready to start planning things hell you should see how she hides the bridal magazines. They’re in her nightstand drawer. She hates it when I catch her reading them.”

“Why?”

“Because she doesn’t want me to think that she’s pushing me to set a date. But It’s more like we haven’t even started talking about it much.”

“You’ve been engaged for 10 months! You should have at least some plans.”

“Yeah, yeah I know. Hopefully we’ll get something started soon. I mean how hard could planning a wedding be?” He said as Howie and Brian exchanged a glance then chuckled at him.

That night…

Alyssa trudged into the foyer of their home completely exhausted from her long day at the office. She hated how the tabloids about her private life were aggravating her professional life. She tried her best to keep things separate but she was beginning to realize that no matter what she did it was going to affect both aspects of her life no matter what. She walked up the stairs dropping her laptop bag in the office silently thanking Nick for letting her borrow his so much. He’d been more than generous in letting her pretty much hog it for the most part while she tried to get everything in order as far as her career and educational future. She walked into the bedroom seeing Nick sitting in the huge over stuffed armchair reading a novel he plucked off of one of Alyssa’s several bookshelves throughout the house. “Hey Nick.” Alyssa stated sitting on the bed in a huff.

Nick looked up and grinned at her. “How was your day?” He asked looking back to the book raising it up just a bit so he could easily look over the top of it.

“Terrible, the fucking tabloids are determined to ruin my professional reputation.” She replied kicking off her shoes and rubbing her tired and sore feet. She got up a moment later and began unbuttoning her shirt showing the white camisole underneath and the white bra underneath the white material. She tossed the white shirt into the dirty clothes hamper and walked back into the bedroom unzipping her skirt and letting it pool around her ankles revealing her matching white lace boy short underwear. Nick watched her with a look of utter longing on his face. Alyssa picked up the skirt and unhooked her bra underneath her camisole taking it off to toss over with her other clothes. She sat on the bed putting lotion on her legs and arms in an effort to relax herself from the hard day. Nick saw her hand go to her neck and the apparent grimace on her face from her sore and tense muscles. He got up and walked over sitting on the bed behind her. “What are you….oh..” She said as he began to kneed the muscles in her neck and shoulders. She sighed and leaned back against his chest making him smirk.

“How was the meeting with your advisor?”

“She tried to pass me off as this two bit hack who only got a job teaching at UCLA because I have a celebrity boyfriend.” She said with slightly more of an edge of frustration to her voice. “It’s like it doesn’t matter that I work really hard to keep everything going and be a personal assistant? I mean I worked hard. I knew what I wanted and I went for it full out. But nothing matters because of the public lifestyle I have now.”

Nick took a deep breath and hugged her, “Well maybe turn it around. Become a public figure for a good cause?”

“Like what?”

“Like poverty or the environment. Something that will bring you nothing but good publicity. At least then they can’t say you’re not at least trying to make a difference.” He reasoned.

Alyssa sighed, “Yeah I know I was thinking of partnering with Lindsay and Jennifer for a special after-school program for inner city kids that helps with literacy competencies and literature appreciation.”

“Like high school kids?”

“Any age actually elementary kids all the way up to high school. I told them I’d love to but that I may just have to be a small part for a while with the tour coming up and stuff like that.”

He nodded and wrapped his arms around her waist and leaned down pressing his lips to her bare shoulder. Alyssa pulled away from him for a moment and turned to look at him. “What?” He asked.

“How was your day?” She asked with a slight grin. She felt bad that she hadn’t asked how his had gone and had complained about her own.

He smiled at her apparent concern for what his day had gone like as well. He looked at her and leaned in pressing his mouth to hers in slow kiss. Alyssa’s hand went to his forearm holding his hand in place at the back of her neck. He pushed her back onto the bed as he deepened the kiss moving his hand down her shoulder making the strap of her camisole fall down in his wake.

Alyssa grinned into the kiss pulling him closer as her hands went to his back pulling up his tee shirt. He stopped for a moment breaking the kiss as he grabbed the back collar of his shirt lifting it up and over his head with one hand then tossed it across the room. Alyssa smirked and wrapped her arms around his neck bringing him down to her in a sultry kiss. She wrapped a leg around his hip and ground her hips against his making him groan into the kiss. Without breaking their lip lock he moved his hands to her underneath her camisole bringing it up with him as his palm moved up the center of her abdomen. Meanwhile he moved his mouth along her jaw line nibbling at her skin making her sigh and moan softly as her fingernails scraped along his scalp and the other hand dug into his shoulder blade.

He smirked against her skin and moved his mouth lower to her neck sucking on it softly at first then nearly biting at the soft skin at the side of her neck. He moved his hand up higher massaging her breast rolling her nipple between his thumb and forefinger as he continued his assault on her neck feeling the vibration as a low moan emanated deep in her throat.

She grew impatient and pushed him off of her making him give her a strange look. She sat up for a moment crossing her arms in front of her chest lifting the thin camisole up and off her then flung it across the room. “Sorry…needed to get that thing off it was driving me nuts.” She answered his questioning glance. She leaned up and kissed him again wrapping her arms around his shoulders as they laid back against the bed again both sighing when they were skin to skin. Even though they were only half naked the contact was enough to make them both want more. He moved his mouth back to her neck moving down to her collarbone kissing and nipping along it on both sides while his hands moved to her chest making her back arch. “Nickolas…” She moaned breathlessly arching her back against him. He smirked to himself and moved down her body nipping along the side of her breast making her hiss and sigh as he swirled his tongue over her nipple before taking it into his mouth sucking gently making her pull at his hair slightly. He moved to her other side doing the same to her other breast making her toss her head back and writhe slightly beneath him.

He chuckled a little and began kissing down her abdomen stopping just above her underwear. He sat up on his knees at her side and hooked his thumbs under her underwear and began pulling them down her legs far enough for her to kick them off her feet. She leaned up just as he came back down their mouths meeting half way in a heated kiss. He moved his hand to the inside of her thigh lightly dragging his fingers over her warmth making her move her hips towards his hand in an effort to get just a little bit more contact than he was giving. He smirked and gave in a little bit wanting to torture her a little more. He circled his finger over her clit making her shiver and jump at the jolt the simple movement sent through her.

Growing slightly impatient Alyssa reached for Nick’s athletic shorts and began pushing them over his hips. He smirked and pushed her hands away taking them both in one hand and pinned her wrists above her head on the bed. “Impatient much?” He asked chuckling a bit as he inserted two fingers inside her making her arch her back and growl.

“God you’re mean to me.” She replied breathlessly.

“Mean? No mean would be doing this….” He said pulling his hand away making her whimper.

“That’s not fair.” She replied struggling against him to free her hands but her wrists were pretty much pinned.

He laughed and leaned down kissing her making her stop moving her hands to try to free them. At the same moment he moved his hand back between her legs and continued what he had started. Alyssa moved her hips in time with the thrusting of his fingers moaning into the kiss as he sped up his movements feeling her entire body heat up another few degrees. He relaxed at her side letting her wrists free as he moved his mouth from hers to attack her neck as he pressed his thumb to her clit as he plunged a third finger inside her. Feeling his grip on her wrists loosen her hand immediately went between them and underneath the waistband of his shorts wrapping her fingers around him. He bit her collarbone just as she did so making her shriek softly in surprise and her hand tighten around him as she began moving it over him feeling him harden even more than he had been before.

A few moments later he felt her body begin to shudder knowing she was getting extremely close to her orgasm he stopped and pulled back. Alyssa stopped and stared at him. “Wait I was so close….” She whined gasping for air.

Nick made eye contact with her and shook his head, “No, we’re taking it slow this time around.” He stated making her look at him in disbelief. She loved this new side to him, he was more aggressive, much more into prolonging it for both of them rather than just trying to get them off as fast as they could. He pulled her up to sit near the edge of the bed making them at near eye level with each other. He took on of her hands as the other spread her thighs apart and placed her fingers at her clit showing her exactly how he wanted her to touch herself. “Just like this or I stop for the rest of the night.” He rasped lowly breathing on her neck. She shuddered and nodded in agreement completely taken aback by what he was doing. With that he smirked and moved his hand to her pony tail at the back of her head and pulled on it rather roughly snapping her neck back making her yelp. He leaned in keeping his hand on her hair and licked a line from the base of her ear down to her collarbone then nipped and kissed his way back up before switching to the other side. Alyssa moaned loudly as he continued to move on her neck going down the front of it now. She opened her eyes slightly seeing their reflection in the mirror and sighed as she continued to move her fingers over herself as she had been instructed to.

He moved over her shoulders and down the front of her kneeling as he kissed and bit at her skin reacquainting himself with her body. Alyssa gasped as he bit at her breasts and moved her naval ring back and forth a little. She was happy in that moment that she’d kept that piercing just for his own amusement rather than hers. He moved his head down licking and sucking every inch of her abdomen before pushing her hand out from in between them and flicked his tongue over her clit making her shriek and her hand tangle in his hair as the other braced herself on the bed.

Alyssa tried to move his mouth closer to her but he resisted. A moment later he moved in just slightly and pursed his mouth blowing cool air over her. She hissed and tugged at his hair. He trusted his tongue against her and inside her. She moaned loudly and glanced to the mirror seeing their current position and her arm that held her up went weak and she fell back against the bed as he continued his slow torture. He knew it wouldn’t be long before she would be close to her release again and this time he had no intention of stopping her.

He sped up his mouth and his fingers on her making her hips buck slightly. He chuckled against her sending vibrations through her making her curl her toes that were dangling from the bed. He pinned her hips to the bed and with a few final movements of his tongue she came with a loud low moan and her body shuddering in response to the immense pleasure she felt. Nick moved back away from her a moment later and laid on the bed next to her just watching her attempt to catch her breath. “Holy…fuck…” She remarked.

Nick laughed a little then winced slightly it was near painful for him now since he’d taken so much time with her body and neglected his own. He was about to move his hand down to relieve some of that tension himself when he saw Alyssa move to kiss along his neck. “What are you doing?” He asked with a grin.

“Returning the favor.” She replied with a smirk then kissed down his chest. She pulled down his shorts letting him kick them off as she lowered her mouth to his throbbing erection. He watched her as she flicked her tongue over the tip making him hiss and grab a hold of her ponytail. She smirked and looked up. “You want it?” She teased with a knowing grin.

He narrowed his eyes and nodded, “Suck me.” He said gruffly in desperation. He needed to feel her, at least part of her on him, he didn’t care what at that point. His mind was so clouded with desire he didn’t care what she did as long as he came. Alyssa grinned at him and took pity on him as she lowered her mouth to him taking him painfully slow into her mouth. He grew impatient with her and gripped her ponytail and forced her mouth on him deeper hitting the back of her throat. He growled and arched his back slightly feeling her tongue swirl around him as her hands joined in, one going to grip the base and the other to massage his sack. He hissed and felt her hollow out her mouth to create greater suction over his skin. “Lissa oh God…” He muttered gripping the comforter around him making his knuckles white. She sucked a little harder lightly scraping her teeth up and down his shaft just lightly enough for him to feel it but not enough to hurt him. At the same time she gripped the base of his cock increasing and decreasing in pressure as she moved her mouth over him. She felt the muscles in his thighs tense indicating he wasn’t going to last much longer. To further torture him she moved her other hand over his balls tugging gently as he groaned coming hard. She cleaned him up and moved back over to his side letting him begin to catch his breath from the intensity of his release. “Fuck…”

Alyssa giggled at him, “Payback’s a bitch isn’t it?” She joked making him laugh with her. He rolled to his side and pulled her body to him kissing her slowly. They made out for a few minutes both just content to lay there kissing for the rest of the night. But they both knew what they wanted and needed and it wasn’t just kissing. Nick rolled her onto her back and settled himself between her legs. Alyssa grinned and put her hand between them rubbing over his cock feeling it harden again with just her simple touch. Once he was sufficiently turned on to Alyssa’s liking she moved her hand away and pulled him down onto his elbows so their faces were mere inches apart as he began to slip inside of her. She closed her eyes and relaxed back into the bed bringing her knees up to her chest letting him in as deep as he could possibly go. Both of them groaned out loud at feeling each other for the first time in what seemed like forever. Alyssa turned her head to the side gasping for air feeling completely out of breath and they hadn’t even began to move yet.

Nick lowered his head to hers pressing their foreheads together and looking in her eyes. “Fuck I almost forgot how good this is…” He remarked closing his eyes for a moment.

“I know…me too…” Alyssa replied trying not to hyperventilate. “Should we uh…move?” She asked sheepishly.

He smirked at her and the look of innocence on her face. Now that was something he hadn’t seen in almost three years. He kissed her softly and shifted his weight a little moving slightly within her making her body arch an a soft sigh escape from her mouth. “Yeah I think…we should…” He replied and moved back slowly only to glide back into her a little harder than he had before. She groaned and her hands went under his arms to his back clinging to him as he kissed along her neck as he thrusted against her.

Alyssa moved her legs to cross her ankles at his lower back and tightened her legs around him every time their hips met. “Nick…” She moaned softly making him look up at her with a questioning glance. “I love you…” She whispered with a slight grin.

He grinned back and leaned down to press his lips against hers as they began to pick up their pace. Alyssa moved her hips with his meeting him thrust for thrust creating a delicious friction between their bodies that had a light sheen of sweat break out on their skin. Nick pulled her closer putting an arm under her shoulder and holding her close as his other hand moved in between them rubbing over her clit. Alyssa’s back arched and she threw her head back exposing her neck letting him lean down and suck along it as they kept moving together. She began digging her nails into his back and he hissed remembering how good it felt to feel her nails rake across his back. God how he’d missed that. “Fuck Ali I don’t think I can…last much longer…” He said in between breaths.

Alyssa nodded, “Me either, fuck you feel so good.” She replied back. He sighed and captured her mouth in his. Their tongues swirled around one another’s as they moved harder and faster together clinging to each other’s bodies as they felt their temperatures rise even more. Alyssa’s body began to shake making her break the kiss and take a few shaky breaths. Knowing she was close Nick applied more pressure to her clit pinching it between his fingers then rubbing it in fast rough circles. Her body writhed beneath him as she called out his name over and over feeling her orgasm come on strong. He felt her muscles clench around him and felt himself plummet over the edge as well with a long raspy growl escaping his mouth. They moved still slowing down before collapsing against the bed completely sated and satisfied.

A few moments passed and they laid like that almost afraid to pull apart from each other. Alyssa looked up into his eyes and smiled. “What?” He asked with a lazy satisfied grin.

“Nothing…just what the fuck was that?”

Nick laughed at her question and rolled off of her looking up at the ceiling. “I don’t fucking know…” He began as she rolled to her side draping herself along his body. “But whatever it is, fuck don’t let this be a one time thing holy shit.”

Alyssa giggled and kissed him, “I think honestly now…that was what Dr. Pinsky was talking about with the whole emotional connection.”

“Yeah…I agree….Jesus I’ve never felt….that well…that close to you before.”

“Scary isn’t it?”

He grinned and shook his head ‘no’, “No it’s amazing.” He said bringing her close for another kiss.






If you read take a moment and let me know what you thought =)



End Notes:
Thanks tri for beta-reading much of this chapter!
Chapter 5: Morning After Glow by Teri
Author's Notes:
YAY! i'm so on a roll I finished chapter 7 and am working on chapter 8 i hope to get at least 2 more chapters done tonight woo! Hopefully some updating on my personal site as well. If you haven't checked that out please do so!
Chapter Five: Morning After Glow

Nick stirred slowly that morning he looked up at the ceiling seeing the morning light dance across it. He thought about the night before and all that had happened and he smirked to himself. Even after almost three full years together they had never experienced anything quite like that before. He turned his head to the side seeing Alyssa still asleep on her side her hair splayed out on the pillow behind her somehow her pony tail have come undone sometime during the night. He rolled to his side and reached out his hand brushing some of her hair out of her face. She stirred moaning softly before opening her eyes. She saw him looking at her and grinned. “Morning…” She said sleepily.

He grinned and pulled her close running his hand through her hair. “Morning.” He replied placing a kiss to her forehead. “Sleep well?”

“Mmmmhmmm…” She said breaking from his grasp stretching out her body, “Good God I’m sore.” She remarked laughing a little.

“Sorry…” He added with a sheepish grin. He was sore as well as she was, it had been extremely taxing on both of them considering it had been months since they had any sort of experience like the night before. “So what are you doing today?”

“Well I’m taking a shower first then meeting with the architect to check out the first sketches she drew up for us while you go to the studio with the boys, then I’m meeting Lindsay for lunch to discuss her becoming my TA.”

Nick leaned in and kissed her silencing her for a few moments. He backed away and smiled at her making her chuckle at him. “So I have an idea tonight.”

“Hmm what’s that?”

“How about you come to the studio tonight for dinner and you can be the first to listen to the new album?”

Alyssa’s eyebrows shot up in surprise, “Seriously?”

“Yeah…” He replied already knowing exactly what was going to happen with the plan in his mind. “So how about that shower?” He said wiggling his eyebrows at her. She giggled and smacked his arm. “Hey now be nice to me.”

“God one night and you’re super horndog all over again.” She retorted laughing as he pinned her to the bed.

“Oh so you don’t want morning sex in the shower? Okay fine then I guess you’ll just have to wait until later tonight.” He replied getting out of bed and walking toward the bathroom completely naked. She thought for a moment and then got up practically running into the bathroom after him where he was turning on the water for their shower. “Ha knew you couldn’t resist.”

Alyssa rolled her eyes and stepped into the shower wetting down her hair letting the hot water wake her up. Nick got in a moment later and they traded places while Alyssa washed her hair then he did the same. Watching her rinse her hair he smirked and pulled her body to his grabbing the body wash and a washcloth. “What no loofah?”

He laughed a little as he squirted the coconut scented body wash onto the wet towel and lathered it up. He pulled her to face away from him and washed her back for her scrubbing the soap into her skin gently. She leaned back against him as his hands slipped around her waist and up over the front of her. She leaned her head back onto his shoulder and sucked on his neck. “Liss…”

Alyssa smirked and leaned up biting his ear lobe. “Fuck me…” She rasped softly making him stop his hands for a moment and turn her around. She wrapped her arms around his neck and backed them up through the shower spray and pushed him against the tile behind it. He turned her around and picked up her legs wrapping them around his waist allowing him entrance to her body. She threw her head back and moaned loudly as he struggled to keep them upright. He moved them over to the ledge setting them down on it thrusting inside her making her scream echoing off the walls of the bathroom. A moment later Alyssa pushed him away and repositioned herself facing away from him. He smirked and grabbed her hips pulling them toward him as he moved to enter her once more. She cried out and thrust back against him as he thrust wildly against her.

“Liss…I…fuck.” He muttered incoherently as they both neared their orgasms. Alyssa took one hand off her hip and with her own trailed it between her legs to move over her clit making her shudder and hiss as she felt her orgasm come on strong. It wasn’t much longer before he came as well both of them leaning on each other and the tile wall for support.

When they broke apart for a moment Alyssa turned and giggled at him, “Nothing like a quickie first thing in the morning to get you going huh?”

He laughed and kissed her. “Aren’t you just a barrel of laughs this morning.” He retorted matching her corniness.

“Okay wow we’re dorks.” She replied making them both bust out laughing. They finished up in the shower and both got dressed and ready for the day. Alyssa sighed as she looked through her closet grabbing a pair of jean capris and polo shirt. She got dressed and straightened her hair and then applied her usual light makeup before heading down stairs. “So are you heading to the studio?” She asked grabbing her thermos from him and gave him a kiss.

He nodded and walked them both out to their trucks, “Have a good day, I’ll see you tonight?”

“Yep I’ll be there.” She grinned giving him one last kiss before getting in the truck. He watched her pull out of the driveway before getting into his truck and pulling out going the opposite way she was headed. He drove off to the studio smirking to himself at how quickly they could fall into a routine like this. Spend as much time together as possible, relearning everything they’d overlooked throughout their friendship and relationship, yet still be able to balance their careers and life. He parked in front of the studio about 20 minutes later and got out going inside seeing AJ, Howie and Brian all just arriving. “Morning guys.” He said with a grin.

“Uh…since when are you so chipper at 8:00 in the morning?” Brian asked with a grin.

AJ saw the look on Nick’s face and snickered, “You got laid didn’t you?”

Nick’s cheeks flushed red for a second and he headed in to the studio room they had to go over the finishing touches on the album avoiding their conjecturing stares and whispers.

Meanwhile…

Alyssa sighed as she waited in the waiting room of the architecture firm. She picked up a copy of Architecture Digest thumbing through the pages seeing the various styles that were considered to be visionary. She smirked to herself falling on a page that highlighted bedrooms. Her mind wandered for a few moments to the night before and this morning. She sighed and smiled to herself thinking about how much they had changed as people and a couple in 3 years. It was definitely different now that she could tell for sure. Their chemistry had evolved and shaped into something a hundred times stronger than what she was used to. Yet at the same time it brought more comfort to their every day lives. They could just be themselves for lack of a better term. They didn’t have to try to be the popstar or the professor, they just had to be plain old Nick and Alyssa.

A few moments later Sandra, their architect walked out to greet Alyssa, “Hello Mrs. Carter.”

Alyssa snickered, “Oh no we’re not married yet.” She grinned blushing a little.

Sandra chuckled, “Sorry about that, the way Nick and you had acted the first time you were in here seemed like you two had just tied the knot.” She explained walking her back to her corner office.

Alyssa blushed at the compliment, “Yeah we’re engaged, haven’t even set a date yet.”

“How long have you two been together?”

“Three years, but we were friends for eight years before that.”

“Wow. So you two have known each other for eleven years that’s quite an achievement.”

“Yes it’s been tough sometimes but we love each other so it’s okay that we’ve been through so much.” She explained making Sandra smile at her. “That’s why we want to move to Monterey, we can get a fresher start there and really build our dream home to raise a family.”

Sandra grinned, “So here are some rough drawings I made for you, you both said you like Mediterranean styles and flagstone so I thought you might like this for the exterior of the home. It’d have all the essentials six bedrooms, an office, basement, recording studio that Nick specifically requested. A library loft in the attic, pool and balcony stemming off the master bedroom. Shaded balcony for entertaining and dining. Full chef’s kitchen.”

“Wow this looks amazing did you draw these yourself by hand?”

“Yep, I’m a little old school. My dad taught me everything by hand and I like doing my initial sketches by simple pencil and paper. Makes it simpler, I transposed these to pen so they’d be a little bit more permanent.”

“This is beautiful especially with the dock leading out to Nick’s boat. And all the space we’ll have for storage.”

“Exactly the garage will have lots of cabinetry and all the bedrooms will have built in wall bookcases to minimize the amount of floor space it would take up conventionally.”

“Can you make a copy of these for me? Nick would love to see these, I think it’s exactly what we were going for.”

“That’s great and as far as interior design I can recommend a great one in our firm here, he’s fantastic and really goes along with your preferences and personal style.”

Alyssa nodded and smiled, “That would be great, Nick and I are always trying to decorate our house now on our own but it’s a little hodge podge with our eclectic tastes.”

That afternoon…

Brian watched Nick flit around the recording booth as they set everything up for the girls that evening. All the guys had invited their significant others to be the first to listen to the new album aside from them and the record company. Nick moved around bumping into AJ both of them chuckling at their clumsiness. “Okay Nick…what’s gotten into you?”

“Or more importantly what have you gotten into?” Howie added with a knowing grin. None of them had seen him that happy in months. It brought a smile to all of their faces knowing that Alyssa and their new found strength had something to do with his turn around in his mood. Not only was he happy with his health and image, but now he was extremely happy in all aspects of his life.

“Guys just leave me be.” He remarked with a laugh. The last twenty-four hours had definitely boosted his mood, hell even in the last two months how close he and Alyssa had become had incredibly increased his mood.

AJ snickered, “So how was it?” He began hoping to trip Nick up some way to only further tease the hell out of him for what he already suspected to be true.

“What?” Nick asked as he sorted through sheet music and lyric notes he’d made over the months they’d been recording.

“The hot monkey sex you had last night and I’m assuming also this morning from the I got lucky dazed look you’ve got going on.”

Nick snicker-snorted and looked up, “Hot monkey sex?” He asked with a ludicrous grin and an eye brow arched at him.

“So are you denying it?”

Nick shook his head and kept quiet moving on to another stack of cds and demos. “I plead the fifth.”

“What?” Brian asked.

“You know the fifth amendment the right not to incriminate yourself or others during questioning.” He said matter-of-factly.

Howie sniggered at him and shook his head sitting on the couch, “I don’t know what I should be more shocked about, the fact that you won’t fess up or the fact that you actually KNOW what the fifth amendment is.”

“Oh go fuck yourself Howard.” Nick retorted with a stern look that quickly broke out into a wide grin.

AJ laughed heartily at the exchange and then got an idea, “You guys know how Alyssa is always more sarcastic after getting laid?”

“Umm sure?” Brian shrugged not actually knowing that about Alyssa but went with it anyways knowing it would probably result in a hilarious retort.

“Well I think it’s starting to rub off on him. You’re definitely wittier than yesterday.”

Nick sighed and sat on the couch putting his face in his hands then running them through his hair. “What do you want me to say? That Ali and I are sleeping together again? Will that shut the three of you clowns up?”

“Was it good?” AJ asked with a cheesy grin.

Nick rolled his eyes, “Don’t you have Kellie to dish gossip with? Why do you need to know everything about my sex life?”

“Uh because it’s interesting and whenever it’s really good you tend to keep it a secret. So that makes us all curious.”

“Well what about you and Leigh?” Nick asked.

“We’re doing just fine. It’s hard to find time lately with planning the wedding and the family being around 24/7 at least within the next few weeks until the wedding in early December the promo tour will at least give us some form of alone time when we’re in the hotel.”

“I better not have to have my room next to his or else we’ll be hearing bilingual moaning all night.” Nick joked back.

Brian giggled at Nick’s joke, “At least its better than Ali screaming ‘Oh God Nickolas’ all night.” He said imitating a high pitched girly voice.

“Oh I’m sure Kellie and AJ are going to be able to beat us this time around. What with their freaky ways.” Nick added. They all laughed hard for a few minutes then caught their breaths looking around at each other. There was a time when at this moment Kevin would break into the conversation with something equally funny or with a gruff ‘Okay stop clowning around let’s get back to work.’ Nick sighed and looked at Brian then Howie and AJ. “Do you guys ever miss Kevin being around?” He asked out of the blue. They were just a few short weeks away from releasing a brand new album, their first without Kevin at their sides. Nick wasn’t the only one feeling sort of awkward about the whole thing. All them felt different, weird even without their friend and former bandmate in the trenches with them this time around.

Brian shrugged, “It’s odd but think of it this way…would we ever have been able to create the album we created with Kevin here? Sad to say we gained a lot of creative freedom without eyebrows being around.” He explained with a slight chuckle.

Howie smiled and nodded, “Yeah seriously everything would have been like Inconsolable and In Pieces on the whole album if he’d have been here, you know how he is with his themes.”

“Yeah but still…It’s weird being four instead of five.”

AJ sighed and patted Nick on the back making him jump and wince. “Ah HA! You did fuck last night!” He said changing the subject.

“How do you know?” Nick said laughing.

“Oh because you jumped when I did this…” He said slapping Nick on the back again making him stand up and yelp.

“Mother fucker!” He yelped at him. “That’s not nice.”

“Well tell Alyssa to stop ripping up your back when you fuck her.” Howie retorted making them all bust out laughing again as they continued to prepare for that night and how they were going to have all their women listen to the most of the tracks they’d recorded for the album. Nick sighed hoping Alyssa would find the same meaning he had found in many of the songs they’d chosen to put on the album and some that had been pushed to being bonus material.





Chapter 6: Listening Party by Teri
Author's Notes:
I know I know it's been forever, 2 weeks actually. I've been horribly stumped and now since I've written over a chapter today I decided to update! I'd like to thank my loyal readers for sticking with the series through thick and thin. You will so not be disappointed! I hope you all stay tuned! And I hope to hear from all of you soon!
Chapter Six: Listening Party

Alyssa gave Lindsay a hug and bid her farewell for the day happy that she’d chosen Lindsay to become her TA to help keep her office and work in order while she went on tour with Nick. She drove home smiling to herself getting home about 20 minutes later. She walked in greeting Layla taking her out back for a few minutes chasing her around giving her a good workout. She knelt down with Layla hugging her. “Hey you. You’ve been such a good baby today.” She said scratching her behind her ear. They headed back in the house Layla trotting behind her.

Alyssa changed her clothes deciding on a tight jean mini skirt, white spaghetti strap tank top with lace around the edges of the straps and bust. A light blue sheer long sleeve shirt to go over the camisole. She went into the bathroom redoing her makeup to look somewhat more like what she would do for a date. She lined her eyes in a silvery blue and used very little shadow then a little bit of her favorite orange creamsicle lip gloss. She looked and her hair tousling it and putting her diamond stud earrings in.

The largest stone at the bottom and the smallest at the top of the line of three holes in each ear. She smirked and slipped on her peep toed low-heeled pumps that had denim accents. She wanted to look borderline irresistible for the dinner date she thought Nick had been planning for her. She spritzed on her perfume lightly on her neck, wrists and backs of her knees like she always had giving her just a hint of the scent that she knew Nick loved on her. She grabbed her purse and headed out to her truck and headed to the studio. She checked her makeup in the mirror after she parked in the parking lot as the sun was dipping below the horizon staining the sky with oranges, purples and pinks. She got out of the truck and headed inside heading over to the chairs in the lobby. Alyssa stopped for a moment seeing Leighanne and Leigh sitting there equally dressed up. “Hey you two what are you doing here?”

“Same could be said to you.” Leigh said with a warm grin. “How are you?” She asked as Alyssa sat down with them.

“I don’t know right now, Nick said I’d be meeting him here for dinner tonight so naturally I thought we’d be alone.”

“Hence the fuck me pumps?” Leighanne replied with a chuckle.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and grinned, “Yes.”

“Whoa am I missing something?” They heard Kellie’s voice from behind them. Alyssa turned and stood giving Kellie a hug. “Alex told me…”

“Romantic dinner at the studio and listen to the album? Yeah Nick said that to me.”

“Brian said it to me too.”

“Same here for Howie.”

Kellie looked at Alyssa and grinned, “So have a good time last night?”

“Huh?”

“Ohhh you have the I got thoroughly fucked look going on. Thought I’d ask how it went. Not too quick since it’s been so long right?” Kellie said giggling.

Alyssa’s face flushed, “I’m not saying anything either way.”

“Ooh must have been really good for her to keep quiet.” Leighanne added with a grin.

“So I think we’re being ambushed girls. For them to call us all here?”

“Yeah I think we’re so in for it.” Kellie added. A few moments later Howie and AJ came out to get the girls. “Hey!” Kellie said happily giving AJ a kiss. “You didn’t tell me everyone else would be here.”

He smiled, “Best way to get you all here.”

“What promise romantic dinner and possibly sex in the sound booth?” Leighanne retorted making AJ laugh at her.

“Now that I would expect coming out of her mouth, not yours Leighanne.” Howie reasoned pointing at Alyssa.

Alyssa rolled her eyes at him, “Did he totally nark?”

AJ chuckled, “No I slapped him on the back, it was pretty self incriminating.”

“Alexander…you need to stop being so mean to my fiancé.” She reasoned as they walked into the room. Upon hearing Alyssa’s voice Nick turned from setting up the soundboard to the proper levels and effects they wanted to emanate from the four pairs of headphones. Nick grinned and looked at her seeing her outfit feeling his throat become suddenly dry and hoarse. Brian grinned and gave her a hug as they all greeted each other. Alyssa came over to Nick and gave him a short but sweet kiss. He smelled her faint perfume and suddenly felt a little dazed. He absolutely loved her perfume on her, it was subtle and sweet and at the same time completely added to her attractiveness to him. He hugged her breathing her in a little before she turned in his arms to face everyone and his arms rested on her stomach. “So when do we get to hear this thing? And are we really getting dinner or was that a load of bull too?” She giggled chiding Nick for tricking her into thinking they were going to be alone.

Nick chuckled, “Got food from Koi. That okay with you?”

“Did you get my usual?”

“Yellowtail and lettuce wraps? Yes.” He said with a grin.

“Okay girls into the recording booth, and headphones on.”

The girls went in looking at them strangely seeing four-swivel computer chairs set up in front of the microphones with headphones dangling from them. Alyssa grinned seeing Nick’s headphones and the massive amount of silver paint pen doodles he’d made over the course of a few years of using them. She sat and took the headphones placing them over her head, as did the others. Leigh sat to her right, Kellie on her other side and then Leighanne was next to Kellie. Nick grinned seeing Alyssa sit with her legs crossed leaning on one of the arm rests with her hands resting in her lap. Nick turned on the intercom. “You four can hear this right?” He spoke through the microphone. Alyssa grinned and nodded. “All right, we’re doing this in order of what the US album is going to look like, then we have some extras that are bonus stuff at the end. So here you go here’s track one.” He said simply cueing AJ to flick on the player in the soundboard computer. He hit play and four voices flooded the girls’ ears. Alyssa grinned hearing AJ’s voice. His was most definitely her favorite out of the band. She glanced to Kellie who was already beaming with pride that her boyfriend was singing lead in the short little acapella intro.

Alyssa heard the opening chords to the next song and grinned. This was the one Nick had been telling her about a few days before as what he had hoped would be the next single although Jive obviously had other plans. She listened to the lyrics and her foot bounced back and forth to the beat of the music making him smile through the glass. She loved the lyrics, how it so completely described their relationship before they had a real relationship when they were everything but what each other both wanted so much.

She listened through the first single grinning knowing the lyrics already and humming it to herself. The third track made her look at Kellie and make them exchange a silent conversation at how AJ was much more prevalent on lead than the last album. It made both of them extremely happy since they both adored his voice. Hearing Nick’s on the chorus made her grin slightly through her façade of trying to keep her composure.

Track five made Alyssa grin widely hearing the opening piano chords. Always a stickler for a great piano ballad she listened to the lyrics and looked at all three women surrounding her then to the four men standing out in the other room. The song could describe any of their relationships and how each of them fell in love with them. She loved how their vocals fit so smoothly together as they always did. She knew she wasn’t too happy not hearing Kevin’s voice as well. Sometimes she hated being able to so easily pick apart harmonies the way her music teachers and private piano teacher had taught her to do. She missed Kevin’s voice, but at the same time, how the four of them blended their voices to fit the five part harmony made up for his absence.

Hearing the second majorly upbeat track she sighed hearing Nick’s voice flood her mind. The lyrics made her feel like Nick was taking a lot of feelings they’d both felt for each other over the years. When they were friends she’d wished he really could be something different, anything other than the way he is. But looking back now she honestly couldn’t imagine what he would be like if he was different. The song seemed to emulate that idea in her mind perfectly. She wondered if the other girls could feel this way about all the tracks so far. How she felt them to be so completely personal to their individual relationships. Was it just her?

The next track made Alyssa sit up straight hearing the heavy bass beat and AJ’s vocalization over the melody. Alyssa stifled a giggle hearing the chorus. How many times had she seen the sheet music for this song lying around Nick’s office? She grinned hearing his voice talk about how she normally would tie up her hair in the morning to wash her face or just get ready for the day. She glanced quickly to Nick watching him watch her from the glass pane separating the two rooms. She smirked and looked away feeling the sexual tension he had felt earlier. Is this why he’d wanted to wait to be physical again? She didn’t know but she did know that he was so getting laid for this too.

The feeling of tension didn’t dissipate with the next song as soon as she heard the beginning her eyes widened and her and Kellie looked at each other with a “what the fuck is this?!” look on their faces. All four women exchanged surprised glances and grins as they listened to the gritty lyrics of a couple constantly fighting and nearing the end of a relationship. Alyssa tapped her foot automatically envisioning this song playing in all the clubs in LA not even needing some flashy house music remix to get people to get up and dance to it. Alyssa glanced up seeing Kellie and AJ locking eyes and grinning at each other. She snickered to herself knowing about the mental sex they were having at the moment. She turned and looked at Nick who was looking at the computer but kept glancing over at her for any reaction she may be having. She turned her gaze to Howie who was worriedly pacing looking in every few seconds to see their reactions. Then to Brian who was calmly sitting half on the sound board with just a very serene grin on his face.

The next song made Alyssa shift in her seat becoming more comfortable. She sat letting the words flow into her mind. Hearing Howie sing lead on parts, then the one line that Nick sang that caught her making her feel like her throat was going to close up and the tears sting her eyes. “You’ve been holding on so long, trying make believe that nothing’s wrong, not letting it show. There ain’t nothing you can do that could make me turn away from you…” She bit her lip and swallowed hard feeling her eyes sting. She looked down at her hands, the ring that rested on her left ring finger. She looked to her stomach remembering what she had lost and how much it had hurt the both of them. She looked up and saw Nick looking at her with a concerned look on her face. She faked a half smile for him trying to let him know that she was okay.

“Are you okay?” He mouthed to her. She nodded and took a deep breath as the next song started. She grinned hearing Howie start the song. She loved that he was finally getting a chance to sing lead on more than just one song once in a blue moon. Alyssa was really falling in love with the album, so far not one song on it did she not like or find something wrong with it. Everything was beautifully written.

The next song she felt Kellie nudge her with her knee. “What?” She mouthed looking at her knowing she wouldn’t be able to hear her anyways. Kellie’s huge Cheshire grin said it all, this was the song AJ had been gushing to her about that he wrote with JC of Nsync which made Alyssa tease Kellie endlessly about her boyfriend working with her favorite Nsyncer. When it came to the bridge Alyssa grinned automatically loving the upbeat yet slightly gritty ditty about a fed up boyfriend dealing with a clingy girlfriend. Alyssa snickered automatically thinking to AJ’s past relationships, most of them had been with rather clingy, crazy or just plain naïve women. Then she thought to the lyrics and how they applied to Nick as well. He’d had quite a few psycho girlfriends in his day all of which hurt him and he hurt in return. She felt lucky to be one of the very few sane girlfriends he had ever had.

The next song resonated with how Alyssa felt in the beginning of their relationship. As well as how Nick must have been feeling as well. Having to keep up appearances of a friendship while their love affair remained silent. The many sleepless nights they’d spent trying to figure out exactly what their feelings were for each other and everything going on in their lives during that tumultuous time in their life together. With her emotional closed-off nature, his open heart that always seemed to come second to her own personal fear of losing him. Alyssa snickered a little hearing Nick’s line about everyone having a first time. He was right everyone did. It made her think back to their first time together. How nervous she was and how careful and gentle he tried to be to make sure her first time was memorable and enjoyable. Would he have done that if he didn’t care so deeply for her? Wouldn’t he had just gotten what she was offering up and not cared giving her anything back if he didn’t love her the way he proclaimed that night afterwards?

Alyssa sighed feeling completely content to sit there for the rest of the night just listening to whatever they wanted her to hear. She noticed there was a completely new creative energy to the music that hadn’t been present in their songs or their voices for a very long time. She supposed it was because they finally got a bit more control creatively and were showing their true voices and talent as best they could. Her thoughts stopped when she heard the thirteenth track come on. She listened to the somewhat upbeat ballad about finding the one. Her throat went dry the second she heard Nick’s voice flood her ears on his verse. His voice had definitely matured since the last album. And the lyrics, Christ was he trying to kill her? It reminded her so completely of how she felt back in 2002 to 2004. When she was falling so hard for him and yet so unsure that he indeed was the one for her. It was beginning to drive her nuts how personal practically every song on the album was beginning to make her feel.

As that song ended and the other began Alyssa wondered if they hadn’t had gone through all the trials and tribulations of the last year and a half would there have been so much depth to his voice through every song? Even this song that was playing reminded her of their first weekend. The fact that no one really knew that they were together. And the line about fireworks? Hell that described exactly every time they’d made love past or present. Especially now that they’d strengthened and focused on their emotional connection it had only heightened the physical for them both. Or at least she hoped it was for both of them. She could tell by his actions and his reactions to her that it was true. She shook her head of her thoughts and continued on listening with the others trying to focus her mind solely on the music.

The bonus tracks began with a slightly upbeat yet melancholic tune that made her remember when she was walking around the house just after losing Noah. Or on her many runs to get her head clear of all the pain and angst she had been going through during that time. She hadn’t realized that Nick had been feeling the same or even worse. She’d closed off her heart to his pain, but he felt both of their anguish through that terrible time. Somehow that made her feel exponentially guilty for not letting him share his pain with her. She knew now she didn’t have to share her pain but that he needed to share his and never once did he complain. He stood by her, tried to get her to open up but never once did he consider his feelings to be more important than hers. In that moment of realization she looked up to him and gave a weak sympathetic grin and mouthed “I love you” to him. He grinned and mirrored her sentiment.

If that song wasn’t enough to over wrought her emotions the next made her begin to tear up. Her heart pounded hearing the pained lyrics of loss. She felt the tears begin to stream down her cheeks at hearing the chorus. She quickly moved her hands up to wipe her eyes and sniffled. When he’d found her cutting again she didn’t want him to see it, see what she had resorted doing to herself. Yet at the same time she just wanted him to leave, so she could wallow in her misery and pain and not have to deal with what her actions were doing to his heart, his emotions.

The second to last song made her grin and laugh a little through the tears the previous song had made her shed. Hearing the message that he felt so differently with her than anyone else. He may not have written the lyrics himself but the depth in his voice, the slight crack she heard as he sang made it clear that he was singing from experience. Their experience and that alone made her grin and lifted her mood more than she could have ever thought after the last two songs.

The final song all the girls looked at each other grinning. It sounded as if it was almost like looking through a photo album. Like the boys and the writers pulled all their photo albums and started telling stories and bam a song was born. Each of the women looked at each other exchanging silent approval and conversation at the work their men had produced. The effort behind each song was definitely present and Alyssa grinned hearing all four voices blend together almost effortlessly even though she knew it took hours upon hours of practice on each line of each song to get the harmonies just so. She’d seen how they’d worked on songs before just in rehearsals for the last tour and that in itself was a task and a half. So for them to be down one bandmate, and create such beautiful songs must really mean something her mind reasoned. The song faded and they came out into the other room remaining silent for the moment, awaiting the inevitable inquisition that they were all sure was to begin momentarily.

Alyssa saw Nick move to speak and she held up her hand glancing to each of the girls getting a nod. She took a deep breath, “Before you ask any questions, I have something to say that I’m sure the girls will agree with me on.”

“What’s that?” Brian asked with a hopeful grin.

“What in the FUCK has gotten into you four?” She said with a shocked expression.

Nick’s eyebrow arched and an amused grin graced his mouth. “How so?”

She rolled her eyes slightly and chuckled, “Okay, I’m going to say this once and don’t you fucking dare let it leave this room.” She said looking at everyone getting a nod of agreement. “Ya’ll should have kicked Kevin out ages ago if this was going to be the result holy fuck that was amazing.”

Nick laughed and moved to hug her. “Wow that’s huge coming from you.” Nick said breaking the hug making her giggle at him.

“Leigh, Kel, Leighanne what about you?” Howie asked with a sly smile.

“I love how you guys went for some more upbeat tracks but that everything is much more lyrical than before.” Kellie explained sitting on AJ’s lap. “And…I love the song you wrote with JC baby that’s fan-fucking-tastic.”

“Yeah I love how you all took equal turns singing lead this time around.” Leigh grinned happy that Howie had sung lead on a few of the songs.

“Yes, and you guys wrote some of them right?”

“Yep.”

“Well keep writing please they’re wonderful.” Leighanne added wrapping her arms around Brian’s shoulders from the side.

Nick grabbed the bags of food setting everything out handing Alyssa her tin foil tray of food sitting next to her on the floor using the coffee table as a dinner table. He leaned over and whispered, “So you really like it?”

Alyssa leaned over and replied, “I love it baby, I’m so proud of you. You do know you’re so getting violated for it when we get home right?”

“Is that before or after we pack for the flight in the morning?” He asked with a silly grin.

“After. You know me; I’m not waiting until morning to pack you’re lucky you got me to wait until tonight to start packing for this promo tour.”

“So I guess we better pack quickly then right?” He retorted making her giggle at him.

“Ah the hell with it we can wait ‘til morning to pack.” She whispered back before pressing her mouth to his in a sweet kiss.


Chapter 7: Seatbacks And Tray Tables by Teri
Author's Notes:
WOO another new chappie! Hope you all love it! more drama to come!
Chapter Seven: Seatbacks And Tray Tables




“So Nick, Alyssa did you work on what we talked about last time?”

Nick and Alyssa glanced at each other and grinned. “Yeah…we did the other night.” Alyssa stated as Nick tightened their connected hands rubbing his thumb over the back of her palm.

Dr. Pinsky looked at the two of them the happy content smiles on their faces holding hands and sitting hip to hip. Their expressions alone were a stark contrast to when they had first sat on that couch. “How was it?”

Nick looked over and nodded, “It was really really good.”

“Like I don’t think it’s ever really been that good.” Alyssa explained.

“Was the emotional connection there?”

“Yeah…in spades…” Alyssa replied.

“Yeah…I’d say so too.”

“Good, good you two are making remarkable progress. Is there anything you want to work on while you two are traveling?” He asked. Nick chewed his lower lip for a moment trying to stop himself from saying what he wanted to. He knew that Alyssa always has had a problem with complete intimacy. It was something he’d had to adjust to being with her. “Nick do you have something to say?”

“Uh..yeah…”

“You’re not happy with what happened? Did I…?”

Nick shook his head, “No that was amazing…it’s just I wish you were as comfortable with me as I am with you.”

“Huh?”

“With our bodies you’re not completely comfortable. You kinda do what you know makes me get off but you know you can try to do something different. Hell even just laying around making out is fine by me.”

Alyssa sighed and nodded it was true that she wasn’t completely comfortable with Nick’s body. She sometimes felt like it was off limits, or so she had convinced herself for so many years of being just friends with him. “Sorry…” She said modestly her happy demeanor now completely faded.

Nick sighed and turned to her, “I don’t mean it as a bad thing. It’s something I want to work on with you” He explained. “It’s that I need to be completely comfortable with you, and I need you to be as well. If not then why are we kidding ourselves thinking we could get married?” He asked.

“Are you saying…” She began to ask wondering whether or not he would like to marry her or not. It was a fear that constantly plagued her mind. Would he still love her if they got married? What if ten years from now he up and decided he didn’t really love her and chose to end it all.

“No….” He interrupted shaking his head. “No I want to marry you, but we need to be comfortable with each other completely before we can ever really be okay at being a married couple instead of just dating and living together.” He explained.

Dr. Pinsky nodded in agreement, “How about you two take this promotional tour and use it to gain that level of comfort. When you’re alone in the hotel at night, Alyssa I really want you to explore things with him. Not just sexually either. Just re-learn everything about each other physically and otherwise. And don’t be afraid to look at each other or ask questions that normally you’d be hesitant to. And when you come back we’ll begin working on it more closely.” He explained. Alyssa nodded as they all stood signifying the end of yet another session.

Nick and Alyssa got out of the office and headed for the truck getting it in and hoping they wouldn’t be too late for the flight that would be in less than two hours. Nick took in a breath as they headed for the highway hoping it wasn’t too packed with early morning traffic. Once they got to the airport they rushed through security and ran down the moving walkways knowing that they had barely 10 minutes to spare before the plane would be taking off.

Finding their terminal they sprinted down it to their gate seeing everyone getting ready to board the plane. All the guys laughed seeing the two of them out of breath from running through the large airport. “Nice of you two to show up.”

Alyssa giggled at Kellie as they walked onto the plane getting in their first class seats AJ and Kellie sat in front of Alyssa and Nick. Alyssa sat toward the window and Nick at the aisle. They looked briefly at each other and smiled. “On the road again huh?”

“Yep” Nick said with a grin taking her hand lacing their fingers.

She looked out the window watching as they taxied down the runway Nick gripping her hand just a little tighter as he breathing through the initial take off. Once they were in the air Alyssa felt his hand relax and she turned to him. “So we should probably set a date for the wedding you know.” She remarked nonchalantly.

He chuckled and gave her a look, “Trying to corner me on the plane so we can set a date?”

Alyssa rolled her eyes and shoved his shoulder. “No…just been thinking is all.” She replied earnestly. She had honestly been thinking about everything, from their relationship to the details of how to plan and pull of a wedding. She’d planned on talking to Leigh and Leighanne to get advice as well as having Kellie design or help her find the perfect dress. All she really needed was a date, a deadline to get everything in order. She knew what time of day she wanted to have it and that she wanted it to be a surprise for everyone. “How about May?”

Nick chuckled, “May? Like this coming May?”

“Yeah…like the 18th or 19th.”

“What if we have a show?”

“Well we could do that….or we could shock everyone and do it before the tour?”

“Like what January?”

“Yeah like the anniversary of when you asked me to marry you.”

Nick chewed on his lip for a moment. “Can I think about it and get back to you?”

“Yeah of course” She replied with a grin.

A little while later…

Kellie plopped down next to Alyssa seeing that Nick had went over to talk to Brian. “Sooo…” She began with a snarky grin.

“What?”

She looked her over seeing a bite mark on her neck, “Nice to see Nick still hasn’t lost his touch.”

“Huh?” Alyssa said looking up from her book.

“Oh come on you can’t possibly stay quiet about sex forever.”

“No but I just don’t feel the need to gush about it to everyone.”

Kellie sighed, “Still I miss talking sex with you. You always have the best stories.”

Alyssa sighed and marked her place in her book and set it down. “What do you want me to say? That it’s great, that I missed being with him like that? I mean come on it’s just sex it’s not like it’s the only thing we do when we’re alone.”

“Wow…” Kellie said sitting back in her chair. This was truly the first time she’d seen the complete change Alyssa had made. The change brought about by all the happenings of the past few months, and most importantly Nick. “He’s really changed you hasn’t he?”

“What? What do you mean?” Alyssa asked not knowing exactly how to react to Kellie’s comment and questions. She didn’t think she’d changed really all that much. But apparently she was wrong.

“Like you’re whole take on your relationship with him. It isn’t let’s see how freaky we can get. It’s more like you’re completely settled. You’re comfortable with him in your own skin around him too.”

Alyssa shrugged, “Yeah I guess so…”

“I mean look at you two, you’re so relaxed around each other now. It’s like you’re already married.”

Alyssa grinned and sighed turning toward her and leaning in. “You know he said that on the boat.”

“Said what?”

Alyssa took a deep breath and gathered her thoughts. “He said that he already considers me his wife that it doesn’t matter when we get married just as long as we do.”

Kellie’s eye brows raised in surprise. “Wow…so is that why you two are taking your time with sex and all that?”

“Yeah we finally did it the other night.”

“And…?” She asked with an excited twinkle in her eyes.

Alyssa blushed and grinned, “It was just really perfect. Insanely perfect. Even moreso the first time around. He took his time with me and had me take time with him. I just loved every second of it.”

“And what about after that, is it still really good?”

“Yeah we have this whole new connection that’s just so nice and relaxing. It makes me want to be more at ease with him.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well everything isn’t perfect you know, it’s not like we had sex and bam we’re the perfect couple. We still have a lot of work on our relationship before it’s where we want it to be. But the biggest thing is just being comfortable with him. With his body and all that. I’ve always been really afraid to do something wrong with him, or really look at him.”

“Why? You’re his fiancé I think that gives you the right to stare.”

“Yeah I know but it’s still really difficult to just let go and enjoy myself.”

“Does he know?”

“Yeah he brought it up at therapy this morning.”

“Oh so that’s why you two were late?”

“Yeah we had to squeeze in a last minute session since we won’t be back until after the album is out.”

“So is that working out really well?”

Alyssa nodded, she thought it was bringing them much closer, allowing them to say and do the things they’d always wanted to but were apprehensive because of petty fear and anxiety of what the other would think. If anything therapy was showing them that they didn’t have to be afraid to tell each other anything, they could be completely open in a reciprocal relationship without fear of rejection. It made Alyssa feel like she was finally ready to give him everything, the last bit of her indepence, everything she’d been holding back in fear that he wouldn’t love her as much. The therapy made her feel like he really did love her no matter what. “Dr. Pinsky’s been great. He really gets us, and I feel comfortable talking about our relationship in front of him.”

“Really?”

“Yeah he doesn’t judge or anything like that he’s just an extra opinion. I feel like I lost that with you and Lori. Especially since Brandon and then losing Noah.”

“How are you holding up with that last part?” She asked sincerely.

Alyssa sighed, “Better, it’s still so difficult and if I sit down to really think about it…I’ll start crying. Other than that, I try not to think about it much. It’s just so hard to think that we lost our child. But there’s nothing I can do to change it. It happened and we might as well try to make something positive come out of that tragedy. If we didn’t go into therapy we’d have broken up. I just wasn’t willing to deal with mine or his emotions and I should have. It was so heartbreaking to know I’d never get to know him. I’m just happy that Noah isn’t suffering anymore. It’d be worse if he’d survived and spent months in the hospital in so much pain being poked and proded every day. So really I’d rather that he not suffer than live through that just because I’m selfish and wanted to know him.”

“Yeah Nick was just completely distraught when your heart stopped and then when Noah died? God he was a shell. Like it was Nick on the outside but you could tell he wasn’t himself. I can’t imagine how he felt within 24 hours he lost you and Noah.”

“Yeah at least I’m still here.”

“But you’re different. A lot different than when you were pregnant. You’re less concerned with every detail and everything you just want to relax right?”

“Yeah, I learned my lesson the hard way I guess.”

Meanwhile across the way Nick was sitting with Brian and Leighanne. “So she asked you to set a date?”

“Yeah, I mean I’d like to wait until May but then we won’t really have much time to just ease into it and be relaxed. The worst thing would be for both of us to be completely stressed out about a wedding. Hell we could fly to Vegas and elope and I wouldn’t care. I just want it to be relaxing and not completely stressful.”

Leighanne grinned, “It’s gonna be stressful for her no matter what. Just get a really good wedding planner and they’ll minimize it.”

“Okay…I know she wants something small, nothing too elaborate or fancy. Just simple.”

“Wedding on the beach I bet.”

“Something like that, I know I don’t want one like yours or Howie’s coming up. Something non-traditional and relaxed nothing where it’s like a giant church and all elaborate.”

“So why ask us?”

“Because you got married. It’s just I have no clue what goes into a wedding and all that. All that matters is that she’s there and our friends and family are there. That’s all I really care about.”

“That’s a really good way to look at it. Talk to her about it and compromise. And whatever you do HELP her with the plans and decisions. If you really want something simple and fun for everyone then you have to help her with it. Give your opinion and don’t think anything is stupid or useless. It’s a one way ticket to a hell of an argument.” Brian reasoned. “Believe me I know from experience.” He replied with a grin.

Leighanne rolled her eyes. “Everyone says it’s the bride’s day, but don’t make it like that, it’s your day as a couple so help her plan and don’t say ‘pick whatever you want’ because that makes it seem like you don’t care.”

Nick nodded and took everything into consideration. He knew that they needed to start talking things over and really begin to plan everything how they wanted. He just hoped she wouldn’t get too obsessive over the minute details of their wedding like she did over everything else in her life.





Chapter 8: Unmistakable by Teri
Author's Notes:
Woo another chapter!
Chapter Eight: Unmistakable

**************************
Nick Narrating:

This is completely wonderful. Wonderful and amazing. I know that this is just exactly how I want the rest of my life to be. True it’s not perfect…but damn it comes close. We’re laying here just, laying here afterwards. She’s just laying across my chest and the room is completely silent. It’s times like this that make me love that sometimes we don’t need to talk. We talk all the time but sometimes we just know that silence is better.

I love that she loved the album. Even better she loves the songs that I wrote with the others. It gives me a real sense of accomplishment knowing that she’s proud of me, proud of the work I’ve done. And that in and of itself gives me the confidence to not even care what people think about it.

Everything is just so different now. I feel so close to her which is really amazing to begin with, but the sex on top of that connection we have going on? Hell that’s incredible. It’s helped me see that she really and truly is the one for me. I know I know stop with all the mushy talk.

But come on…for a while there I was scared that she might not be the girl I’d hoped she would be. It drives me crazy when I have those feelings of doubt. I shouldn’t really doubt our relationship, my feelings for her. I should be more sure of my feelings, I am more sure now…realizing that even through temptation of another woman I still won’t stray from her says something doesn’t it?

Granted I haven’t really seen Emma much except for a few things with the restaurant. I just can’t believe I let myself even get tempted by her in the first place. She’s strikingly beautiful yeah but hell put her next to Alyssa? My girl wins everytime. Alyssa’s skin is much softer looking I think and she doesn’t need as much makeup as Emma seems to think she does.

Seeing Alyssa roll out of bed in the morning, hair all messed up, no makeup on. She’s just beautiful. Inside and out. Her personality and everything just works so perfectly with mine how could I ever imagine falling for someone other than her?

I know before we ever got together I was so determined to prove that I didn’t love her, that I couldn’t possibly be in love with my best friend. Lot of good that did. Every woman just kept proving over and over how much better Alyssa was for me than any of them. Even the good relationships that I had with the more normal girls. It scared the hell out of me, knowing that I could be so much closer to her than any other woman.

But now it doesn’t scare me at all. Actually I want to be closer to her than anyone else. Now I’m on my way to a radio show. The first interview by myself in what seems like forever since the first season of HOC. This season though…is gonna be really rough to watch. Seeing Ali pregnant. Even though it was only for the first two months or so that she actually knew she was pregnant, it’s still going to be extremely difficult for her to watch. Hell I’m going to have a hard time watching as well.

It will be interesting though to see the change from the first season to now. How my siblings have grown and changed. Aaron most definitely has grown up a lot thankfully and finally has his head on straight for the most part. Beej is finally realizing that she doesn’t need to torture herself about our parent’s divorce. If our parents were going to be so selfish as to have five kids and then put us through the hell we went through then fuck them. I still have somewhat of a relationship with my father. But as for my mother… I want nothing to do with her. Hell I don’t even want to invite her to the wedding at all. I know I probably will have to just to be polite but I don’t want to be polite. She’s just ugh, she tried to destroy everything, whether she did it intentionally or not she really hurt me. And even worse she hurt Alyssa. Treating her with such disrespect, stressing her out to the point it was driving us both crazy. I didn’t see it beforehand and I really should have. Maybe it would have prevented all that tragedy that occurred.

I miss the early months of her pregnancy. When we were just so deliriously happy to be having a baby. When nothing else mattered but the fact that we were beginning a family together. I know now that we weren’t meant to have a family yet. That we just weren’t ready, the timing was off everything was. We were both so consumed with everything, our families, our careers. When we really should have just focused on each other and our own family. I know it’s hard to look back and see everything so clearly.

As they say hindsight’s always 20/20. It’s hard to not dwell on the things that have happened in the past. Losing him will always hurt, I know that now, but at least Alyssa and I have begun to Find complete comfort in each other and the fact that we really do love each other, as much as our actions from January to August have contradicted us.

End Narration.
**************************

“Everyone welcome Nick Carter to the show!” The DJ announced with a grin hearing the screams of the various young women in the studio room.

Nick laughed and took a seat putting on the headphones, “Morning…” He replied with a wide grin.

“So, you’ve been in the tabloids a lot this year.” Nick snickered at the comment and let the DJ kept going on. “You and your fiancé Alyssa right?”

“Yeah unfortunately with the paparazzi around it doesn’t give us much time alone to plan the wedding let alone deal with all the crap that’s going on.”

“Anyways, we’ll get to the tabloid stuff in a moment, tell me about the album.”

“Well we started recording it after Kevin decided to step down out of the group. And we’re just really super proud of it.”

“What’s your favorite track?”

Nick thought for a moment and grinned, “Unmistakable.”

The female DJ grinned and asked, “Why is that?” She asked sort of flirtatiously.

Nick sighed and gathered his thoughts for a moment before beginning his explanation. There were a few explanations as to why that was his favorite. “Well for a lot of reasons. It’s a great song number one. It’s just got the classic harmonies that we’ve always been known for, and the lyrics are really amazing. And lastly because it reminds me of Ali.” He answered hearing a collective “awww” ring throughout the room. He chuckled and continued, “She and I were friends for years before we ever started dating. We both tried to prove that we didn’t care about the other as much as we really do. Like in the lyrics its about finding the right person to spend the rest of your life with and how uncertain it all is until you find them.”

“So do you think you have found the right person?”

“Hell yeah…we went through absolute hell this year, and we’re stronger than ever. She’s listening to this right now, and yeah it’s been really good now that we’re getting back on track with our relationship. Everyone knows we lost our son in July and it completely destroyed the both of us but we’re getting through it.”

“When are you two getting married?”

“That is the question we’ve just started really talking about, we’re thinking January or May, whichever fits better. Personally I’d go for January because we have a bit of down time before the tour, it’d at least give us time for a week honeymoon before the tour starts in February.” He explained.

“Honeymoon eh? So you’ve been known for bedding some pretty smoking hot chicks over the years, Willa Ford, and Paris Hilton, Ashlee Simpson…playboy bunnies and even a pussycat doll.”

“I don’t think Paris really should be in the ‘hot’ ex-girlfriends category.”

“Really why?”

“She’s just not a beautiful person on the inside and it makes her really hollow and not that appealing. I know it sounds like a bitter ex talking but honestly she treated Ali like total crap when she first met her and Alyssa was extremely polite to her.”

“They met?”

Nick nodded, “Oh yeah, Ali and I were roommates for a while before we ever hooked up and so I introduced them and Ali goes up and extends her hand and goes ‘Hi it’s so nice to meet you’ and Paris looked at her as if she had two heads. It should have been my first indication that she wasn’t going to be a good relationship candidate right there.”

“Maybe she viewed Alyssa as a threat.”

“Most of my girlfriends did. They saw her and were like you LIVE together?!”

The male dj laughed hard and replied, “So how hard was it for you to not totally violate her?”

Nick laughed, “A ton of willpower that’s for sure. Really I respect Alyssa, she works her ass off for everything she’s achieved so it’s hard not to respect that. That and she’s never asked anything of me except to just be there for her and she’s always been there for me.”

“Was it ever difficult to trust her?”

“No not at all. She’s a genuine person and doesn’t lie much if at all. The only thing she’s ever really lied to me about was her feelings for me but she did that with good reason. Neither of us could ever really be honest with each other about that because I know I was afraid she’d just laugh in my face. She’d been known for dating the smart athletic guy and here I am the musician who’s not exactly skinny. Yeah I’ve gotten in shape but throughout most of our friendship I didn’t exactly lead a very healthy life.”

“So what does Alyssa think of the new album?”

“She loves it. The guys and I we asked all our women over to the studio in LA and we ambushed them with the album. She was shocked and loved it. It gave me a really good feeling of pride knowing that she and the others really enjoyed listening to it.”

“Okay so she was on the new season of HOC that’s starting in three weeks. What are we going to see?”

“Well you’ll see us and the siblings. All the drama that happened pretty much and you’ll see her when she was pregnant. I’m sure it’s going to be really hard to watch it knowing all that happened after the show stopped taping.”

“We heard that your mother is making an appearance on the show.”

Nick sighed, “Unfortunately yes, I tried to start a relationship with my mom. Not having a good one for so long had made me want to rebuild it and it’s just hard because obviously she’s not mature enough to not want to screw me over for her own personal gain. At least I have my siblings and Alyssa’s family around. Without them I don’t know what I would do.”

That night…

Nick rubbed his fingers over her arm lightly as she shuddered and smiled at him. “You’re mean.”

“Who me?” He asked with a surprised grin. He loved that they were just comfortable lying there not a care in the world. He took her hand bringing it up and brushed his fingers over her fingertips. “I love you.” He remarked making her grin at him.

“I love you too. It’s a little crazy you know…how we got back here.”

Nick gave her a confused look wondering what she was getting at. He knew it was about they’re new attitude toward their relationship and more specifically sex. He looked down at her body briefly seeing the white hotel sheet wrapped firmly around her naked form. He smirked and began grabbing at it. “It maybe crazy but somethings never change.” He said as she pulled away giggling.

“Nick come on I’m just not completely comfortable being naked in front of you.” She replied. He finally discarded the sheet and rolled her onto her back looking down at her.

“Why? I’ve seen and tasted everything so it’s not like there’s gonna be a huge shock.” He quipped back letting his hands drift over her hips and up her sides.

She sighed and relented letting him look. She blushed a little when he pulled back looking at her fully. Alyssa sat up at that moment and didn’t hide herself as she looked at his face. “You know I love this new you. You’re so comfortable with yourself. With me.” She said running her fingers through his hair making him close his eyes momentarily just reveling in her touch.

“How can I not be relaxed with you, you’ve seen me at my worst. I’ve seen you at yours. I love that you’re modest about your body but when we’re alone…like this don’t be okay? Believe me I love everything I see.” He explained leaning in and kissing her neck. “It’s a part of what I love about you is that I know every inch of you…what it does when I kiss you here…” He added kissing her pulse point making her take a sharp breath. He smirked against her skin and pulled back. “See, I know what reaction I’ll get from nearly every inch of you.”

She grinned watched his eyes darken with lust. She leaned over pressing her mouth to his in a sweet but heated kiss. She broke it a moment later and sighed, “How can I get that knowledgeable with you? It’s not easy you know.”

“I know and it’s okay. It doesn’t have to be easy. I just want you to be at ease, you don’t have to try to satisfy me you know. It’s actually pretty easy.”

“Men…”

“Yeah we’re an easy sort. Give me you in anything clothing or naked and I’m ready to go.”

Alyssa giggled and moved to sit closer to him her knees at his hip and his knee at her hip as they sat both naked in the hotel bed. “Women are a little more complicated I guess. At least I know I am. It takes a bit more for me sometimes to get off than you do. But I still really want to be the fantasy I guess.”

Nick’s eye brows raised in surprise at her admission. “The fantasy? Like perfect girlfriend type?”

“Yeah I guess.” She explained. “I just know that if I do things right and keep you satisfied you’re not going to go find it someplace else. I mean look at what happened, the minute we started not screwing around as much you were tempted by Emma.”

Nick sighed and looked away for a moment, “Yeah because she represented the woman I missed. You the woman I see right here in front of me. I missed you so much. And she was so much like you.”

“Am I blonde?”

“No personality wise. She is gorgeous I’ll grant you that but I’m sorry she doesn’t compare to you. You have my heart.”

Alyssa’s expression softened and she moved to hug him. He held her body to his rubbing his hands up and down her bare back. “I love you so much.” Alyssa whispered clinging to him.

He grinned and pulled her back a little. “Why do you think I couldn’t kiss her when she tried to kiss me? Because I thought of you. If I didn’t care about you so much believe me I would have fucked up and slept with her, but then again I wouldn’t have asked you to marry me either. You know how I proclaim that I don’t believe in marriage.”

“Yeah…makes me wonder why you’re so eager to marry me.”

“Because I know it’ll work with you. You make me into something better, a better man.” Nick explained making her grin at him. He watched her move and straddle his hips as her arms went around his shoulders.

She leaned over and placed a short kiss to his mouth and looked back at him as she pulled away letting one hand drift between them rubbing over his rapidly hardening cock. He shivered and gripped her hips as she positioned him at her opening. With a smirk he gripped her hips and pulled her close letting himself slip inside of her. They both sighed in pleasure as he filled her completely. She closed her eyes and breathed heavly for a few moments gently rocking her hips back and forth. His fingertips danced across the tops of her thighs before going up her sides to cup her breasts as she tugged gently at his hair leaning his head back just so she could lean over to kiss him deeply. She sighed and broke the kiss as he moved his mouth to her neck attacking it with long kisses and short nips. Alyssa groaned and rocked her hips a little harder on to him making him moan against her skin as his thumbs brushed over her nipples. “Nickolas…” She moaned softly her head thrown back in abandonment.

He grinned against her neck feeling her body give over to the attention he was lavishing on her body. Feeling completely in control he rolled them over onto her back moving against her. She moved her hips up with his meeting him thrust for thrust. “Lissa…” He sighed as she brought her knees up to her chest allowing him to slide just that much deeper. He hooked his arm under her knee bringing it up higher everytime he thrust back against her.

Her body writhed beneath him and she clutched at his shoulders feeling the muscles in his back tense and flex as they moved together. Growing slightly impatient she pushed him over with minimal resistance having him lie back against the headboard watching her as she started to ride him. Alyssa moved harder down on to him as she picked up their pace out of pure instinct alone. He watched as she brought them closer and closer to release yet not rushing like she used to. He looked to her face her lips slightly parted, eyes closed as if she were trying to focus solely on how they were making each other feel. “I’m gonna…” She warned feeling the start her orgasm begin to sweep throughout her body.

Nick pulled himself up and kissed her neck then pulled back slightly. “Look at me, I want to see your face when you come.” He said sternly. She opened her eyes and looked at him as she exploded against him. He watched her face seeing her cry out throwing her head back as her body full on shivered and quaked. He felt her walls pulse around him as he rolled them back over against the pillows still moving against her as he felt himself begin to tumble over the edge as well. He moved hard in one final thrust as his body tensed in a delicious lingering orgasm that made his toes numb as he shot his load deep inside her. A moment later he collapsed beside her and breathed heavily as exhaustion began to overcome his senses.






End Notes:
If you read please let me know what you thought ok? thanks so much!
Chapter 9: Stern Promotion by Teri
Author's Notes:
Woo another chapter! I'm like a third of the way done with chapter 15 (lol Breathe Tri) anyways hope you like. Alyssa gets to go on Howard Stern for promotion of HOC2
Chapter Nine: Stern Promotion

*****************************************
Alyssa Narrating:

It feels so extraordinarily good to be back. Back on the road, back to a point emotionally where I feel so much better than I had. It’s been so difficult with everything and now it’s time to focus on all the things that make me happy.

For instance, my career makes me happy. It’s hard with being in the limelight thanks to HOC and Nick’s penchant for winding up in the tabloids (and I’ll admit that sometimes it’s my fault too) but really I’m nobody. For some stupid reason people seem to think I’m someone special, that I should be a celebrity. However I’m the first to admit that I’m not a celebrity, celebutante or the Anti-Paris as a lot of the tabloids and even E! has started calling me.

The Anti-Paris title makes me laugh hard. Just to think that people are comparing her and I is ridiculous to me. I know it’s mainly because I started dating Nick a few months after she and Nick broke up. Well big whoop. She’s a two faced bitch. I on the other hand have my bitchy moments and bad days, but I at least try to treat people with respect.

Especially the fans. They’ve been there for Nick and I in so many ways. I can’t count how many emails on myspace I’ve gotten all sending good wishes and condolences over the last few months since what happened with Noah. So much so I started a blog to tell them thank you for all their kind words. Never in my life did I ever think that Nick’s fans would ever be so accepting of me, of our relationship to be so kind hearted. Frankly they still scare the hell out of me. I’m always going to be afraid that they’ll eventually turn on me. Yeah I’ll deal with it and let it roll if that ever happens. But I sincerely hope for Nick’s sake that it doesn’t.

Speaking of fan reactions they seem to be liking Kellie as well. I think everyone has taken a real liking to her since she and Alex finally decided to hook up. They’re sickeningly cute the two of them. I understand why everyone would say that about Nick and I back when we first started out. Honestly I hope it works out for them.

Kellie’s always been my best friend sometimes more so than Lori. It’s kind of sad how distant Lori and I have become. We used to be so close, the three musketeers. I guess people just grow apart over time. As for Kellie, she and Alex really are so much in love. It’s so nice to see Alex happy, see him so settled that I didn’t think was going to happen. Even when he was with Kaci he wasn’t this happy or calm.

Kellie’s reaction to the fans was pure intimidation. And really that’s what my first reaction was too. They’re terribly intimidating. Hundreds of screaming girls all willing to do anything and everything that the boys would and could imagine. Once upon a time Nick and Alex regularly indulged in those vices the many beautiful women offered them. Thankfully that was before Kellie and I ever got involved with them. Even now as I sit here on my way to my first radio interview ever for the up and coming season of HOC.

Yeah how in the hell did I get roped into this one? Well Juliette begged and Nick pleaded and well he has his own ways of persuasion that happen to work wonders. What’s even funnier is that I’m going on Howard Stern, yep the one and only. I’m worried that he’s gonna want to ask me all about sex and nothing about the show. Which I know I’m going to have to talk about sex, fuck it’s Howard Stern. Going on his show, you automatically know you’re going to get asked about sex. It’s a given. I just hope I’m not too boring of a guest. I won’t divulge certain things about my sex life with Nick. Like his size for example. I know that many backstreet fans have created rumor after rumor about it but honestly it’s not all that important. Yeah he’s well endowed big deal. You can be as big as Tommy Lee or John Holmes and if you know nothing about a woman’s anatomy then it’s going to suck no matter what size you are.

Yes, to me size doesn’t matter. I know easy to say since I have a man that most women would call “hung” but seriously even without it, he knows how to make me scream his name. And really that’s all that matters when it comes to the physical act of sex. If your partner can please you and you can please them? Then physically you have it made.

However, if there’s one thing Nick’s taught me, its that sex without emotional love and connection is just not what you think it is. He had his fair share of empty casual sex and while I’m sure it was fun for him but hearing him say that he loves me. Especially while we make love? God it’s just so amazing to feel him against me, inside me and really know that he loves me. Not some stupid romanticized version of me, but just plain old dorky Alyssa.

Let’s just hope the world is ready for the dorky girl next door.

End Narration.
*****************************************

Alyssa laughed hard as Howard cracked yet another sex joke at his friend’s expense. “Alyssa, you’re one beautiful girl.”

“Thank you.” She said blushing brushing her hair out of her eyes.

“What was it like having the cameras follow you around all the time? Was it hard to find some privacy for you and Nick?”

Alyssa nodded and smirked, “It was very difficult to find alone time. We actually made a rule that after a certain hour of night they weren’t allowed in our bedroom so we could at least have some private conversations even when we didn’t have the energy to be intimate.”

“So Nick told us last year that he was the one who popped your cherry.” Howard stated making Alyssa snicker at him and laugh. “So it’s true?”

“Yes it is. I love him and I was taught to wait until you’re in love to have sex. And even though I was confused about my feelings for him at the time, I most certainly don’t regret it.”

“And you two were friends before hand right?”

“Yes I was there through every girlfriend and hook up all the way back to Debbie when he was 16. He’d dated her and slept with her at 15 but even after I met him they were kind of off and on. I never met her and from how she turned out I definitely don’t want to.”

“Okay what about Ashlee Simpson. Ashlee denies it but since you’ve seen everyone he’s hooked up with…”

“She may deny it but I was the one who saw her in his shirt in my kitchen the next morning. I even made her breakfast. This was back when he and I were roommates and living in the house we live in now just in separate bedrooms. It was while he was still with Paris and he’d just found out about her cheating on him. I was actually the one that saw her. I was in Australia for a soccer tournament for like a weekend and I saw her coming out of his hotel room with her. I had to tell Nick he had to know. I would have felt terrible if I had kept it from him.”

“So did she think you tried to break them up?”

“She broke them up by cheating on him and treating him like crap. If she would have been a good person and treated him appropriately then they would have lasted a lot longer. Now I’m sure everyone’s going to be like ooh why do you hate her. And I don’t hate her I just don’t like her as a person.”

“Would you ever be friends with her?”

“After what she did to Nick? No, I’m extremely loyal to my friends and Nick’s always been my friend first. I tried to get to know her when they first started dating and she didn’t want to be friends so I just stayed out of it. I’m not the type to screw with my friend’s love lives.”

“Even though you had feelings for him?”

“I respect him way too much to mess up a relationship of his when we were just friends. Besides I was so convinced that he would never see me as more than his friend and roommate so I just didn’t think it would ever happen.”

“But you’re a pretty girl he’d be nuts not to see you like that.”

Alyssa blushed and laughed, “I don’t really see myself as pretty or sexy or anything like that. I’m just a normal girl. That’s why when I was asked to do Maxim with the girls I was like do what? It was something that I thought I’d never do, and never had any plan to do but it was a lot of fun to play dress up and be a Bettie Page impersonator for a day.”

“Bettie Page eh? You know your pin-up girls then.” Howard remarked.

“Bettie was the ultimate in pin-up girls! And she wasn’t all skinny and emaciated like most girls in Hollywood are, she was curvy and athletic.”

“Moving on…there was a rumor that you had slept with Brandon Routh, the guy from Superman Returns. Is there any truth to that?”

Alyssa took a deep breath, “I’m going to be honest and say yeah it did happen. I had thought Nick had cheated on me, which he didn’t but I then got really drunk and slept with him because he was my friend and I was really stupid and wanted to get back at Nick for what I thought he had done. I just was completely stupid and drunk and ended up ruining my friedship with Brandon.”

“So was he drunk too?”

“No he wasn’t he had drank but no he wasn’t drunk I know that for sure.”

“He could have taken advantage of you then.”

“No because I knew what I was doing and I accept responsibility for my actions. I’m not going to place blame on other people. It’s not right to mess up and then blame everyone around me for what I screwed up on.”

“So what was Nick’s reaction?”

“He definitely wasn’t in a good mood about it or anything I honestly expected him to break up with me. But he had said that I wanted him to break up with me, which is true partially that I wanted him to be so upset that he punished me by breaking it off. We talked about it and we realized that neither of us really didn’t want that at all. We worked through it and I know I will never make a mistake like that again. You never really realize just what will happen until it does and you react and you mess up and then after that you just have to deal with the consequences and move on.”

“Is that what you brought to the show? A sense of maturity that yeah somethings you can’t change but you can change your future?”

“Yeah at least I hope I did. I love Nick’s siblings. They’re going to be my family too and so I feel like it’s important that I try to help in any way just by supporting them and being there if they need anything.”

“Are you close with any one of them in particular?”

“Leslie, she was my friend first out of the family and because of her I met Nick so I owe her pretty much everything. She’s a real sweetheart and everything. BJ is amazing and just now is starting to really get a hang on what she wants to do with her life and what she needs to be for herself. Angel is just the best friend Nick could ever ask for. She wants to really protect him and Aaron from all the crap that went on in their family.”

“Are you close with Nick’s parents at all?”

“No not the way I would like to be. I tried getting closer with his mom and it just didn’t work out. All the stuff that happened between his parents and his relationship with his mom has been really strained ever since. I know he would like to eventually remedy that relationship but I don’t know if it ever can be repaired.”

“So why didn’t it work out to be closer with Jane?”

“I don’t know maybe it just wasn’t the right time or something but our personalities are just so different that we don’t really get along. Like if she comes over again and Nick really wants a relationship with her I won’t object because it’s his mother. I would never force him to stay away from any of his family members. And when we do eventually try to have a family again I would like Jane and Bob to be involved in our future childrens’ lives. They are family to Nick and to me as well and I’d never deny my children the chance to know their grandparents.” Alyssa explained. She didn’t want to hate Jane. She was angry at her that was for sure, for all the frustration and stress she had caused.

“Okay switching gears, You’re a professor at a major university do you find the limelight tends to distract from your work?”

“It doesn’t distract me at all, honestly what I do for a living is what I love to do. I teach and it makes me happy to teach and just because I happen to be on a reality show or happen to have a celebrity fiancé it’s like I should be distracted and love the attention. It’s actually his career not mine that keeps him in the papers. I’m just an outsider to his life in the spotlight. Yeah it may cast my way occasionally but I don’t really care I could definitely live without it on my end but it’s just a price you pay getting involved with someone whose in the industry.”

“So sexually speaking…”

“Oh no here it comes.” She said laughing.

“What do you two do exactly? Do you two get all freaky and try new things all the time or what exactly?”

Alyssa shrugged, “That’s the one thing I actually don’t talk about much, its really private and all that. I’m not saying it’s not good because it is. But I just like our bedroom activities to stay more on the private side. It’s not like it’s porn star stuff going on all the time.” She explained giggling, “It’s just what we do is between me and him.”

“It must be good if you don’t want to talk about it.”

Alyssa chuckled, “You sound like my best friends Kel and Lori, we all talk about relationships and sex and all that but I guess it’s just I don’t need to talk about it. I’m happy with all aspects of my life right now. Even though Nick and I went through a lot this year we’re stronger than ever and I’m just kind of happy to be mum about certain things.”

Later that morning…

Alyssa sighed and tapped her foot. “You’re not mad that I was that honest?” She asked wondering why Nick wasn’t mad at her for being so completely open about her life and their relationship and past.

“Alyssa come on, how can I be mad? You didn’t say anything that I hadn’t already said, you were honest but not too honest where you were offering up details about us. It’s totally fine. And you did really well you kept the topic off of sex pretty well for going on Stern. Hell. No one I know has been able to be that classy on his show and not make him seem obnoxious at the same time.” Nick explained as they sat on the couch in the greenroom.

“Don’t worry so much Ali, it was pretty cool that you even went on Howard Stern and weren’t asked if you liked anal sex.” Kellie remarked making everyone in the room crack up laughing.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and played with the ends of her tee-shirt. “I’m just nervous the fans are going to think I’m some attention whore now.”

“Since when do you care what the fans think?” Kellie quipped reminding her that she never cared what the fans thought of her.

“True. I don’t care what they think it’s just I’ve never given myself or them the impression that I am in the spotlight and it’s just hard with doing the stupid Maxim shoot back in February and then this whole I helped with promotion of the show stuff it’s just kind of an oxymoron don’t you think? I don’t want to be in the spotlight yet here I am.”

Nick sighed and wrapped his arms around her, “Well you don’t have to do anything more than what you’ve done.”

“Sounds like a plan to me, I just want to focus on my career and our relationship.”

“Yeah I get what you mean, I can’t imagine being thrust so much into the spotlight as much as you have.” Kellie added.

“Yeah and it just irks me to think that none of this was by my choice. If I had anything to say about it I would be away from it all and not have to be in any of it. But it just didn’t work out that way I guess. I just would not like to be judged and said that I’m with him for the fame when I don’t even want it.”


End Notes:
Tri thanks so much hon for beta reading for me!
Chapter 10: Beauty And The Geek by Teri
Author's Notes:
Woo another chapter! I'm working on chapter 16 at the moment and hope to get to chapter 20 this week which would be awesome! anyways let me know what you think and thank you for all your reviews so far!
Chapter Ten: Beauty and the Geek

Nick pulled his sweater over his head and looked in the mirror seeing Alyssa zip the pleated cheer skirt and sprayed on her perfume. He grabbed his bottle of hair gel and comb. “Babe?” He asked quietly.

Alyssa turned and saw him, “Whatcha need?”

“Help me with my hair?” He asked innocently.

“You can’t do it yourself?” She asked with a skeptical smirk. A moment later she took the bottle from him motioning for him to sit on the bed in front of the mirror. She clicked open the bottle squirting some gel onto her hand and began smoothing it through his hair with her hands at first. “I hate hair gel it’s always sticky.”

Nick snickered in response. “Sounds like something else.”

Alyssa rolled her eyes and laughed hard at him. “You’re sick Nickolas.”

“You’re the one who swallows it.” He retorted making her wrinkle her nose.

“Now that you put it that way…” She said with a slightly disgusted look. Her face broke out a moment later in a large grin making them both laugh at the ludicrousness to their conversation. He sighed a little as she washed off her hands in the bathroom then came back and took the comb and began parting his hair. “Dear God hold still!” Alyssa shrieked as Nick squirmed in front of her as she continued to comb gel through his hair. He looked at her and laughed.

“You try holding still, you look hot.” He said referring to her cheer outfit. She shimmied her hips slightly making him groan in disappointment.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and looked at him chuckling a little. The long sleeve button down shirt, sweater-vest and tie to match and glasses with tape in the middle seemed to personify the nerd look he was trying to achieve for her costume birthday party. “So you think I’m hot huh?” She giggled as she turned and finished applying her makeup.

“Hell yeah, and did you have to go with two French braids? You’re killing me here.”

Alyssa laughed and slipped on the white sneakers she had picked out. “Blame my sister, this was her cheer outfit hence why it’s a lil loose in the bust on me.” She joked referring to how her sister was larger than she was. “And she did my hair.”

“Damn her. Figures she’d put you in something that’d drive me nuts.”

Just then Olivia walked in holding a black eyeliner pen and decked out in a Nine Inch Nails tank top, long sleeve mesh top over that and her hair crinkled. “Help, I cannot do this properly.”

“Do what?” Nick asked noting how the sisters seemed to switch high school personas for the evening. Alyssa giggled and had her sister sit on the bed next to Nick.

“Olivia you were the one that taught me how to apply makeup this is quite the role reversal.” She retorted as she took the pen and began meticulously outlining Olivia’s eyes heavily with the black liner. Alyssa leaned in making sure to accurately apply the same amount to both eyes. Nick took a breath not exactly comfortable intruding on the moment between the sisters. He stood up making the bed shift and Alyssa poke Olivia in the eye.

“Motherfucker!” Olivia shrieked in surprise.

Alyssa laughed, “Nick you asshat!”

Nick got a sheepish look on his face, “Sorry!”

Alyssa held a tissue to Olivia’s eye hoping to catch any tears that had formed. Alyssa finished her eye makeup. Nick smiled at her and wrapped his arms around her waist rubbing his fingers lightly over her bare abdomen.

“Crazy you two have been together for three years already” Olivia remarked.

Alyssa giggled as Nick kissed her neck. “Yeah sometimes it seems like it hasn’t been that long and others it seems like forever.”

“Yeah she’s a terror to live with you know?” Nick remarked making Olivia giggle and Alyssa roll her eyes at him.

“Oh I know I remember her as a 2-year-old in diapers well when she wouldn’t tear them off and run through the house naked.”

Alyssa’s face flushed and Nick chuckled, “An exhibitionist even back then eh?”

“Oh hush, at least I wasn’t convinced I’d be the next Tiffany so you could marry Jordan Knight.” Alyssa retorted.

Olivia’s eyes grew wide. “Oh dear God I can’t believe you remember my NKOTB phase.”

“As much as I remember that Clark wanted to be a Ninja Turtle.” Nick listened to the two of them smiling at the closeness between the two of them. He loved that Alyssa always remained close with her siblings, especially Olivia. Even closer since her attack back in July. They spent everyday on the phone talking for over an hour lately. Especially since Alyssa started talking more in general. It amazed him how she’d gone from barely saying a word to being relatively at ease again. He knew her problems weren’t solved in fact were far from it. But he also knew that she was a lot happier, and healthier than she had been in a long time. He liked to believe that he’d caused that change in her but he wasn’t sure he was. Maybe she didn’t really need him as he wished that she did. Maybe she just needed someone to keep her on track and that really was his role lately. He didn’t know either way but he knew that he had something to do with her turn around and either way it made him more confident in their relationship all the time.

A few minutes later Kellie came walking in her outfit were that of a pregnant teen. Alyssa had thought it was a little ridiculous since you could totally tell it was a pillow. Lori followed in behind her not fully in her costume yet. “Nick can you help AJ with his football pads? He’s hopeless I swear!” She remarked laughing a little.

He nodded and headed out of the room to help his friend out. Alyssa giggled a little at the exchange, “I can’t believe you Olivia, you come up with the best party themes.” She added.

“Yeah well I’ve always wanted to try on the Goth look for a change and I figured this could be my chance. Besides to see my woman as the school slut? Hilarious!”

“How’d you come up with the idea of being opposite of what everyone was or would have been in high school?” Kellie asked taking a seat on the bed resting a hand on the pillow.

“It was simple really.” Olivia replied

“Really getting into character there huh Kel?” Alyssa chided jokingly a second later.

Everyone chuckled and Kellie flushed red for a moment, “Well just preparing for the next few months.” She said without even thinking.

All of a sudden the laughing in the room ceased to the point where you could hear a pin drop. Everyone stared at Kellie whose hand had flown to her mouth shocked at herself. “Wait what did you just say?” Alyssa asked a little shocked at the unexpected reply.

“Yeah are you pregnant?” Olivia added.

Kellie’s face grew white then she got a guilty expression the moment she looked at Alyssa. She definitely hadn’t that to be the way she’d tell her best friends, that she was indeed pregnant. She knew she hadn’t wanted Alyssa to find out that way, especially after the tragedy from some months before. “Ali I’m sorry I…”

Alyssa shook her head trying to shake the thoughts of envy and pain from her mind. “No it’s alright but you didn’t answer our question are you?”

“Yes, Alex and I just found out. I’m 3 months along he’s telling Nick right now. I just didn’t plan on telling you yet or so bluntly. I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be I’m happy for you.” She stated trying to convince herself more than Kellie or anyone else in the room. She knew she should be ultimately happy for Kellie and truly she was happy for her. She just wished that what had happened months before hadn’t that way she wouldn’t feel so alone or so left out than ever before. Olivia and Angela were adopting since invitro didn’t pan out, Lori had Jamie, and now Kellie was going to have a little one of her own. And where did she fit in all of this? She hugged Kellie giving her kind words of encouragement but at the same time she still couldn’t help the pang in her heart and the sharp gnawing of guilt.

Meanwhile…

“So man what did you need help with?” Nick asked as he walked into the main room of the rather large suite.

“Stupid shoulder pads!” He said in frustration.

Nick laughed at him, “Dude just go without the pads for now. It won’t be any problem I mean it’s not like we’re going anywhere.”

“Yeah but the jersey is huge without the pads man.”

Nick rolled his eyes, “Because you have no shoulders shorty.”

“Heyyy not nice! You kiss your fiancé with that mouth?”

“I do a lot more than just kiss her.” He retorted wiggling his eyebrows a little.

AJ wrinkled his nose at him in disgust, “Dude TM-fucking-I.”

Nick snorted at him, “So is that all you needed me for?”

AJ looked around nervously he knew what he wanted to say, but he just wasn’t sure if Nick was ready to hear it yet. That was the one thing that held him and Kellie back from telling them as soon as they found out. The fact that they’d been through so much he didn’t want to add to their pain with their happy news. He knew though that Nick and Alyssa were always more than polite and wouldn’t dare say anything out of turn and would definitely be supportive, but at the same time he didn’t want them to feel guilt or any pain whatsoever. “Well uhh….”

Nick gave him a look, “Come on just out with it.”

“I uhh quit smoking.”

Nick’s eyebrows shot up in surprise, “Holy shit I never thought I’d see the day when that would happen, Kellie’s influence I’m assuming.”

“Partially yeah…” He stated nodding a little. It was true Kellie had influenced him to quit except for the fact it was that she was pregnant that truly sealed the deal on his becoming a non-smoker.

Nick arched an eyebrow looking at him from the side. “Partially?”

AJ took a deep breath, “Yeah partially because well she’s pregnant.”

Nick’s breath caught in his throat taking him aback. “I uhh wow that’s really great Alex I’m happy for you.”

“You are? You’re not like freaking out?”

Nick sighed and shook his head ‘no’, “It’s fine man, no worries. Is Kellie going to tell Alyssa?”

“Yeah her intent was to tell her soon.”

Nick closed his eyes for a moment and shook his head, “Great her birthday is off to a great start then. She’s not gonna take it well that I know for sure. She’ll be nice to Kellie about it but shit she’s not gonna deal well.”

“Is she not over the whole Noah thing?”

Nick shook his head again. “No. She’s not going to get over it Alex, our child died okay? She can’t just get over it. She’s trying to move on but you know it’s hard.”

“Maybe she needs some extra help? I mean just being with you all the time may make her repress her feelings. It happened to me when I was with Sarah fresh out of rehab.”

“She’s not an addict.” He replied sharply, he knew deep down that AJ was right. But at the same time he just didn’t want to fully admit it. He’d been feeling so much pain from their loss just as much if not more so than Alyssa. He was happy for AJ but he felt a little jealous at the same time. Why couldn’t they go back to that? When they first found out they were pregnant? They could do things differently get a different outcome and be a happy little family like he’d always wanted with her and still deeply wanted.

“Uh dude yeah she is, she’s a cutter who relapsed, even for one time she still relapsed. And believe me she needs more than just you right now. She needs professional help if she’s ever going to fully come out of it.” AJ reasoned.

“You make a good point. Thing is getting her to see that too.”

“Well just talk to her.”

Nick saw all the girls except for Alyssa come out of the bedroom where they had been getting ready. He wondered where she was. “Yeah I plan to. I’ll be back.” He walked over to Kellie, “I’m guessing congratulations are in order.” He stated simply.

She looked at him and gave a surprised grin. “Thank you, if you’re looking for her, she’s in the bathroom she said she needed a moment.”

“Did you tell her?”

“Yeah…” Kellie said looking down. “I know she’s upset, I hope she doesn’t think I did it out of spite, this was quite a surprise for us.”

“No she knows it’s not out of spite. It’s just still hard for her and I, for both of us. But we want you and Alex to be happy and healthy. And for your little one to be healthy too. Let me go talk to her she’ll be fine.” Kellie nodded as Nick headed over into the bedroom to the closed bathroom door. He heard her sniffling and sighed before lightly rapping on the door.

“Go away…” He heard her through the door.

“Ali…it’s me let me in.” He said softly.

A few moments passed and Alyssa unlocked the door but didn’t open it fully. Nick opened the door seeing her sitting across from the door on the floor her knees pulled up to her chest, her eyes red and puffy from crying. Nick closed the door and joined her on the floor pulling his arms around her. She sobbed a little and then sighed stopping herself. “She’s pregnant.”

“I know, AJ told me. Are you mad at her?”

“No, I’m just jealous of how lucky she is. I wish we could start this over, go back to when we first found out we were pregnant. We were so happy then. And now look at us. We’re happy yeah but we’ve been through so much pain and it’s all my fault.”

“It is not your fault.”

“Yes it is. If I had just slowed down…”

“Stop it. I’m not going to put up with this or join in on your little pity party you’ve got going on for yourself. You have an entire hotel suite full of people who love you and don’t blame you for anything here to celebrate your birthday and our anniversary so come on let’s dry your eyes and fix your makeup. You have a party to get to.”

Alyssa looked at him and grinned weakly. “Why are you so good to me?”

He leaned his forehead onto hers, “Because you’re my girl and I love you.”

She gave him a sweet but short kiss and returned the sentiment before getting up and fixing her smeared makeup. After a few moments they emerged from the bedroom to see all their friends’ faces smiling back at them Alyssa grinned and went over to Kellie hugging her. “I am really happy for you, take care of this little one.”

“You know I will.” She said with a smile, “You’re my best friend Al, I’m sorry you had to find out that way.”

Alyssa gave her a sympathetic grin. “Don’t worry honey I’m not mad at you at all. I’m really excited for you and Alex, it’s a blessing to get pregnant so cherish every moment no matter how sick you feel.”

“I’ll remember that…” She replied giving Alyssa another hug.

Later on…

“Happy birthday!” Brian remarked giving Alyssa a hug. He was decked out in skinny girl jeans, his nails painted black, a sex pistols tee shirt and his hair spiked. She giggled and watched everyone around the room. Lori was dressed as a wallflower, oversized overalls, pink floral shirt and pink and white converse to match. Clark was decked out in long jean shorts and a flannel over shirt with a grey muscle shirt and Doc Martens on his feet. She giggled seeing his grunge attire and hugged him as well.

Alyssa made her rounds around the hotel suite hugging everyone. She sat with Nick momentarily sharing an overstuffed armchair just happy to be in such close contact with each other.

“This is for you.” Kellie announced handing her a bag. Alyssa opened it with a grin seeing a gorgeous watch inlayed with amethyst. “It has amethyst in it for healing and growth.”

Alyssa smiled and hugged her laughing at squishing the pillow between them. “Thank you so much Kel it's so thoughtful of you.”

“I saw it and immediately thought of you, it’s simple and not too girly.”

“I love it thank you sweets.”

Leighanne got up a moment later handing Alyssa a small box. “Brian and I thought you might like this.”

Alyssa shot them a glance and opened the box seeing a pair of opal and white gold earrings. “Wow what’s with the jewelry this time around?” She giggled, “It’s awesome I love getting things with my birthstone.”

Next, Howie and Leigh handed her an envelope, she smiled and tore it open seeing a complete spa weekend for her and Nick at the Palms in Las Vegas. “Wow this is awesome thank you!”

“We figured we’d also give you an anniversary gift too so that kinda fit.” Howie explained.

Nick smiled, “Thanks man.”

Alyssa smiled through all the other presents not really knowing what else to do. Since Kellie’s earlier accidental admission she’d been feeling less than perfect about everything. She knew what Nick said was true. That she couldn’t be mad at Kellie or be anything but ecstatic for her best friend. But she couldn’t help it there was still just a little bit of jealousy within her. Not because she was having a baby, that was part of it, but just how happy and at ease she seemed to be with the idea. She wished and hoped that someday she’d find that level of happiness again.

Nick handed her a thin box. She gave him a look and he grinned at her. “Just open it.”

Alyssa ripped off the bright wrapping paper and opened the brown box unveiling a brand new laptop. Her eyes widened and she smiled at him. “Nick! You didn’t have to do this!” She exclaimed.

“Yes I did, you were driving me nuts using mine all the time sooooo I bought you one.”

She laughed and smacked his arm. “I was not driving you nuts.”

“Oh yeah you were I was just waiting until your birthday to give you this though. I didn’t wanna ruin the surprise considering you hate it when I buy you something expensive without it being a special occasion.”

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “Geek.”

He laughed and gave her a kiss to her temple. He knew that even though she wasn’t near where she needed to be for their relationship and her feelings about their loss. He knew that there was definitely room for progress.












If you read please take a few moments and let me know what you thought. As you all know we writers thrive on feedback and happy authors mean more fiction!!



End Notes:
Triiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii lol thanks sweets for all your help in betaing for me. And the shameless plug hehe. You're awesome hon!
Chapter 11: Unbridaled Angst by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yes I totally meant to spell Unbridled wrong. hehe Anyways here's yet another chapter for everyone! Thank you for the awesome reviews keep em coming!
Chapter Eleven: Unbridaled Angst

Alyssa flipped through a bridal magazine looking at the lavish dresses and the beautiful hotels and locations for weddings. Articles about famous brides and keeping a budget. She saw Nick walk in and she grinned widely. He looked over at her and noticed the magazine and shook his head grinning.

“You’re really adamant about planning this thing huh?”

“What our wedding? Yeah! I want it to be fun but relaxing, I definitely do not want to be like Lori was that was a little scary.” She remarked chuckling as he sat with her on the bed putting on his socks and shoes getting ready to go out to another press related event.

“I’ve been thinking…”

“And?” Alyssa said arching an eyebrow and setting the magazine on her lap.

Nick took a deep breath and placed his hand on her knee. “Well I think we should take some time and really take our time with getting married. I don’t want to rush it with us.”

“What are you saying?” Alyssa asked feeling a lump rise in her throat.

“I’m saying we take it slow and really have fun with getting married. I don’t think January would be a good idea. I don’t think we’re quite ready yet.”

“We or you?” She postulated wondering if he was getting cold feet now that she was starting to get serious about wedding plans. He’d been engaged before granted it was for less than a week back in 2000 and not the 9 month engagement they were on now. It still scared her the thought that he might want to back out of the wedding or the relationship entirely.

“Actually I don’t think you’re ready to be a wife.”

Alyssa’s eyes widened and she sat back against the headboard. “Ow…” She said with a confused look on her face. “That just wow that’s really uncalled for.”

“No it’s really not, there’s a lot of things you haven’t really dealt with yet and I’m not just talking about Noah, what about your father or Collin those are all huge things you’ve never honestly dealt with.” Alyssa remained silent letting him say his piece. “And AJ and I were talking and he knows what he’s talking about.”

“You talked to Alex about this?”

“No he brought it up that you are an addict.”

“Excuse me?” She said standing up and folding her arms in front of her chest. Nick shrugged and leaned forward resting his elbows on his knees.

“Alyssa Mackenzie…you’re a cutter, you fucking relapsed right in front of me. And if you’re not gonna confront your problems then…I don’t know if we can get married because I’m not getting divorced and I will not marry you if you’re not ready.”

Alyssa felt the tears sting her eyes and she looked away going over to the bathroom and grabbing some toilet tissue and began wiping her eyes. She sniffed and saw Nick follow her into the bathroom. “Just go away.” She said quietly.

“I have to go anyways but I don’t want to break up or anything like that, but I just want you to get the help you need baby. I love you.” He said trying to give her a kiss on the cheek she shrugged him off and he sighed and left. Alyssa looked in the mirror seeing her red and puffy eyes. How often did she see herself like this? How many times had she been crying over what she lost instead of rejoicing in what she still had?

She had Nick didn’t she? Through everything he’d stuck by her, loved her and helped her. Losing Noah was the hardest thing their relationship had ever seen and yet they survived. Many times she dreamed and wished that it had somehow come out all different. But at the same time she knew it wouldn’t be fair to anyone to dwell on the past. However it still wouldn’t escape her mind about all the things she could have done differently.

She picked up her phone and dialed the all too familiar number to her sister. She heard it ring a few times before Olivia picked up. “Olivia Monroe.”

“Hey sis…”

Olivia grinned into the phone and sighed, “Hey honey how are you?”

“Do you think I’m an addict?”

Olivia sat back in her chair at her desk in her office. “Umm why do you ask that?”

“Because Nick seems to think that I’m not ready to be a wife because I haven’t dealt with my personal issues and cutting.”

Olivia took a large breath holding it for a moment then let it out as she gathered her thoughts. She agreed with Nick that her sister did really need help in resolving her own personal issues. “Alyssa don’t get mad at me but I agree with Nick. You’ve been through some really rough things, losing Collin, Daddy, Noah, and it’s just things you need to learn and cope better with or it’s gonna destroy any possible happiness for your marriage. I don’t want you two to get married and end up divorcing in less than five years. He loves you sweets, and you love him but love isn’t always enough. You need trust, comfort, in addition to love.”

Alyssa chewed her lip and sat down on the bed. “I’m really fucked up aren’t I?”

“Sweetie you’re not fucked up, just a little messed up. You need to just let go of everything you’ve been holding back for so long. And you need to do it before you marry him. It’s the only way you can really ensure a strong marriage.”

She sighed and thought for a few moments. It hurt to know that everyone knew that she didn’t handle things especially since the events of the past year. She thought she was able to hide things well but apparently she wasn’t. “Maybe we shouldn’t get married at all.”

“No don’t say that. You two are meant to be together it’s just there are some things I think you need to work through first. Nick’s right honey you know he is. Maybe you should go back to LA for a while and see your therapist a bit more and work things out slowly on your own. Don’t depend on Nick for absolutely everything to help you. It’s not really fair to him. But when the time is right let him know what you’ve been doing. Let him hear you out and then he can help you by just being by your side and not having to lift you up all the time. It’ll bring you two that much closer and make your bond that much stronger if you both can emotionally be on the same page about a lot of things.”

Alyssa looked in the mirror across from the bed and nodded. “Yeah I’ll talk to him about it. Thank you Ollie. Thanks for listening.”

Olivia smiled and replied, “No problem honey, you’re my sister I’m always here for you when you need me. You’ve been there for me and Angie for years so I can’t not be there for you too.”

A few hours later, Nick came back into the hotel room tired and not really wanting to walk back into the argument he’d caused that morning. He walked in seeing Alyssa at her new laptop clicking away probably working on grading papers. Alyssa turned seeing him walk in and smiled softly. He stopped for a moment and looked at her. That was definitely not the reaction he was expecting. She got up and gave him a hug. “I agree with you.” She said simply. Nick gave her an odd look and she sat him down on the bed. She sat next to him and looked him straight in the eye. “I’m in love with you. Honestly. And I’ve never been really good at handling my own emotions good or bad. It’s always been really difficult for me. And I don’t really understand why. Maybe that’s the real reason why I began to cut in the first place. I’m a cutter. And I did relapse. So I need to get help.”

Nick took her hand in his lacing their fingers. “Ali I love you too, and I don’t want you to think that you’re like Alex was at all. You’re not cutting is very different but it’s still an addiction.”

“I know, and I think I need to go home to LA and see Dr. Pinsky on my own to work through my problems. If I personally can’t work through something what makes either of us think that you can help me? You’re just one man. Granted you’re the man that I love and want to spend the rest of my life with. But I can’t expect you to solve my problems baby. I can only expect you to stand by my side through everything and help me see things as you have done. I really don’t deserve you Nick. You’ve been more than any relationship I’ve ever had and I appreciate that more than you’ll ever realize.”

“So you’re leaving?”

Alyssa nodded and felt his grip harden on her. “Yes I need to. I need to get through this and I need your support.”

Nick thought a moment. He definitely didn’t want her to leave, he knew she had to though. If it was going to be the only way for her to work through her own personal issues and make them a much stronger couple as a result then he guessed he had to support her decision to seek help. “Of course I support you baby. I’m always here for you. So when do you leave?”

Alyssa sighed and moved to lay back against his chest. “First thing tomorrow. I figured it’d be best if it was as soon as possible. And wouldn’t make for a long goodbye from everyone.”

“Oh so you think you’re just going to slip out unnoticed?”

“That is the general plan.”

He smirked and wrapped his arms around her waist loosely. “So you don’t think I can’t take you to the airport?”

“You can see me off in the morning, because you have an early morning radio interview.”

The next morning…

Nick stirred slowly in his sleep reaching out to pull Alyssa’s body close but was met with rumpled hotel sheets. He sat up quickly and looked around the room. Alyssa giggled from her spot on the couch across the room. “Shut up.” He groaned and fell back against the king size bed.

Alyssa finished slipping on her shoes and tied her hair back in a low ponytail slipping her sunglasses on top of her head. “What’d you think I’d leave without letting you say goodbye to me?”

He shrugged and held his arm out to her beckoning her back to bed. She smiled and crawled up to the head of the bed on her hands and knees laying next to him. He sighed in relaxation and rubbed his hand over her back. “I don’t want you to leave.”

Alyssa grinned and kissed him softly. They lay there for a few more moments in complete silence just to revel in each other’s touch for a little while longer. The room’s phone rang and she groaned loudly rolling over and answering it. “Ms. Monroe your car is waiting for you down stairs.” The concierge said politely. Alyssa thanked her and got up. Nick got up as well throwing on a pair of jeans and a long sleeve pull over. He helped her with her bags and lead her to the elevator. Nick held Alyssa’s hand as they rode the elevator down to the hotel lobby. Once it reached the lobby they walked quietly out to the front where a black car was waiting for her. The driver helped her with her bags and Nick tried to ignore the fans that were already gathered outside the hotel at such an early hour.

He groaned hearing them call after him wanting an autograph, a picture, and seeing the flashes out of the corner of his eye he knew this was going to definitely stir up the rumor mill. He opened the door for her and stood as she went to go in but turned around placing her hand on the side of the car. “I’ll call you as soon as I land ok?”

He nodded trying to hide his apparent disappointment. She grinned sympathetically and tried not to cry. She definitely didn’t want to leave him either but at this point she didn’t exactly have a choice. There were just too many things that she needed to work out for herself. To be a stronger woman, for him, for her and for their relationship that it wouldn’t be fair to either of them to be selfish and stay. “I love you.” She sniffed no longer able to bite back a little bit of her emotions.

He returned the sentiment and kissed her softly and pressed their foreheads together before bidding her farewell. He watched the car drive away before turning and seeing the expectant crowd of fans waiting for him. He sighed and walked over plastering on his trademark smile for their photos and questions.











If you read please take a moment to let me know what you thought! Thank you!


End Notes:
Thanks tri for all your awesome help this chapter!
Chapter 12: The Power Of Goodbye by Teri
Author's Notes:
WOOO! another chapter! I just have one more scene to chapter 17 left and then i am going to work on chapter 18 woo! lets hope this streak continues!
Chapter Twelve: The Power Of Goodbye

“Alyssa you know that I specialize in addictions right?” Dr. Pinsky asked.

Alyssa nodded, “I know and you’ve been so great counseling Nick and I. He brought up a startling thought. And really he’s right. I know we’ve discussed my cutting before, and I’d really like to focus on my personal issues. I think they’re honestly what’s holding me back with Nick.” Alyssa admitted.

Dr. Pinsky nodded in agreement. “Well let’s start at your biggest issue. How you deal with grief.”

Alyssa sighed taking in a deep breath. “Cutting you mean?”

“Yes, when did you first start?”

Alyssa thought for a moment. “About a week after my high school boyfriend Collin died. He was killed by a drunk driver on his way to see me. That night I was going to give him my virginity but he never made it. I had just found out that my dad had been diagnosed with cancer the first time. It was just a really emotional time and I cut myself on accident and I felt so distracted by it that I forgot completely about what emotional crap I was feeling. So I stole a couple of razors from my dad’s exacto knife and started slowly doing it. I mean it’s not like I went balls out the first time. I’d do it once and freak out and feel guilty but slowly over couple of weeks I grew more and more into it. Nick didn’t even know, my parents figured it out I think and sent me to him that summer. No one could get through to me I was so lost in my own bull.”

“Well first of all don’t call it bull, it’s not. You were going through a lot of emotional stuff and really you didn’t know what to do or how to handle it all. You aren’t at fault for finding this vice. Just like you aren’t at fault for Noah’s death.”

Alyssa looked away. “I feel like it’s all my fault, because I decided to cut in the first place that my life played out like it has. If I just would have been more mature a lot of things in my life would be different.”

“Well let’s look at it this way. Would you and Nick have fallen in love if you hadn’t gone through what you have?”

Alyssa looked down at her hands and saw the diamond engagement ring on her left ring finger. That definitely sparked some questions in her mind. What if she didn’t cut? What if she didn’t attempt suicide would Nick have realized his feelings then? Would he have ever realized them? Would she have realized how much of a good thing she had in him? “What if he doesn’t love me?” She asked in earnest.

Dr. Pinsky gave her a sympathetic look and patted her knee. “Alyssa would Nick have gone through all this trouble of going through therapy with you and letting you go on your own if he didn’t love you?”

“Good point.” Alyssa remarked back grinning a little. She couldn’t deny that she knew deep down that he loved her more than anyone ever had. Well except for her parents of course but his love felt more special to her than any feeling of love or like than anything she’d felt bestowed on her before. She felt it when he looked at her when they made love, whenever they were in the same room she felt an overwhelming calm and nervousness which confused her more than anything. How could one emotion be so intense, so real yet so mind boggling all at the same time? “But then again I thought I loved Collin and looking back yeah maybe I did honestly love him but not like this.”

“Here’s what I want you to do Alyssa. For the next couple of days think about your actions over the past years. Your relationships romantically and otherwise. I really want you to examine them wholly and fully and we can discuss them at more length on let’s say Saturday morning?”

Alyssa nodded and bid him farewell for the day. Her mind was already completely cluttered with everything from the session. Going through it all in her mind she didn’t know how she survived it all. Had seen such incredible darkness, and yet such incredible joy. It boggled her mind and stimulated and confused all her senses. It drove her completely crazy. How could her choices, the events in her life have brought her to be the person she is today. Was she better because of the messed up choices she’d made? Was she worse? She shook her thoughts from her head momentarily as she drove off to see Lindsay. She went to her office going inside and resting her head on her desk while she sat. Her mind still reeling from her session that day. A knock on her door jarred her from her internal torment. She looked up and grinned at Lindsay standing there.

“I can always reschedule if you’re too stressed out.”

Alyssa rolled her eyes and motioned for Lindsay to have a seat. “No it’s perfectly all right, it’s just been an emotional day is all.”

Lindsay gave her an odd look and shrugged, “How are things with Nick? Good I hope?”

“Things are great with him. I’m just in therapy for my personal issues you know?”

Lindsay gave her a shocked expression and sat on the edge of the couch with curiousity in her glance. “You have issues? Are you kidding me? You’ve got everything going for you.”

Alyssa shook her head, “Nope I have a lot of issues, they stem from depression but yeah have been dealing with it for years, dealing with grief and loss is where I have real problems.”

“Wow I never would have thought. You know you see someone from being the girlfriend of a musician you adore, and you think they’ve got it made and that everything is perfect. I’m glad in a way that you are human. And have some issues like the rest of us.”

Alyssa shrugged, “Well I’m not famous or all that special and really no one who is famous really is all that special they just happen to have interesting jobs. A bit more interesting than a college professor or an accountant.”

“Anyways your students have been doing really well, at least the batch I’ve been grading. They seem to really have a hold on the material.”

Alyssa smiled, “Good, you’ve been following the rubric for grading that I made right?”

“Yes of course, it’s actually really helped the students understand their expectations as well.”

“Good.”

That afternoon…

Alyssa filed through her papers organizing them and filing them away in her file cabinet. She’d been meaning for so long to go through and organize her files. She kept thinking over and over about what she had discussed earlier that day. Her thoughts kept going back to the events of 2001. The loss of Collin, her father’s illness, and most importantly her suicide attempt.

Most of the time she hardly ever thought about her own stupidity back then. She didn’t like to dwell on her own mistakes especially since she cut again after Noah’s passing. She stopped when she uncovered the sonogram picture of Noah, the one that signified in the fuzzy, snowy picture that they were indeed having a boy. She studied it for a long moment feeling her eyes tear up at the thought of what could have been. He would be almost 3 months old if he had survived in July, if she had gone to term she’d be in the last few weeks of her pregnancy. She sighed and placed the sonogram picture down in a file she’d labeled “Noah” she definitely never wanted to forget about him, but for the time being she definitely wanted her mind to be at peace as he was she hoped.

A moment later she heard the familiar click of Layla’s nails on the floor as she entered the hardwood office. She smiled seeing the pooch there wagging her tail in anticipation. Alyssa gave her a sympathetic look and walked over petting her head and scratching behind her ear making her bag leg bounce in appreciation. Alyssa thought a moment and decided to take Layla out to a dog park that was a 5 minute walk from the house. She patted her thigh as she walked out of the office signaling Layla to follow her.

She grabbed a beat up copy of her favorite book, Wuthering Heights and Layla’s lead attaching it to her collar then grabbed her keys and wallet heading out of the house. She pulled her sunglasses on and locked up the front door heading out of the driveway past the gate rolling her eyes beneath the dark shades hiding them at the various paparazzi that began following her. She shrugged them off and lost them in the winding neighborhood as she headed to the gated dog park. Once inside she let Layla off her lead and let her take off to run and play with the dogs that gathered there. She played with Layla for a few moments before sitting with her underneath a large redwood tree. Layla panted as she caught her breath and Alyssa smiled patting her back as she lost herself in the world created by Emily Bronte.

“Alyssa?” A familiar voice asked from above her. Alyssa looked up seeing the piercing blue gaze that she had once thought only belonged to one boy. To her chagrin it was only his younger brother standing there.

“Jake?” She asked questioningly. “What are you doing here?” She asked eyeing him suspiously then politely motioned for him to sit.

He smiled and set his camera down. “Photojournalism class, faces in the city project.” He explained sitting down on the grass.

“Good you’re not paparazzi then?”

He chuckled, “Hell no, the pay is much better but I’d rather be a sports photographer.”

She grinned and they talked some more. “So what have you been up to college right?”

“Yeah it’s been crazy but I love college, I’m sure Col would have loved it too.”

She nodded and folded her hands in her lap sighing a little feeling a sharp pang at the mention of Collin. It wasn’t that she hadn’t gotten over him she had over the years but at the same time the fact that his life had ended so abruptly so quickly and at such a young age hurt her a lot because at the heart of their relationship there was always a deep friendship they had forged first.

She watched Jake’s face change almost like he was debating internally what he wanted to say to her.

“Jake? Got something on your mind?” She asked with a concerned edge to her voice.

He bit his lip and looked away for a moment hiding how his brilliant blue eyes were clouded with uncertainty. “Well there was something I’ve been meaning to tell you for a long time, I guess I didn’t want to tell you, you know hurt you more than you already had been by Col’s death.”

“Okay…well tell me.” She asked growing impatient wondering what exactly could have been so earth shattering.

“Well the night Collin died, he told me that he umm that he was going to break up with you.” Alyssa’s eyes widened at the admission and she stopped breathing for a moment. “He had it in that letter they found with him that my parents gave to you. I didn’t know if you had opened it or not but I guess you hadn’t.” Jake added taking a breath when he saw the still shocked expression on her face his resolve wore thin. “I’m really sorry Ali for not telling you sooner. I thought it was the right thing at the time to not cause you anymore pain. I hope I didn’t by telling you now. You know since it’s been so long.”

Alyssa shook her head and gave a weak smile, “No Jake it’s perfectly all right, thank you for being so honest with me.” She replied. A few moments later she say goodbye to him getting up and taking Layla back home. Alyssa reached home not long after letting Layla off her lead once inside the house.

She sighed looking at a picture of her and Nick. One of her favorites taken at his boat race in 2003. She was wearing and NCR tank the strings of her bikini around her neck and Nick standing next to her, green bandana, red tee-shirt, and his infamous camo shorts. She grinned at the memory of being there to support him at the Daytona race. She passed it as she walked through the foyer and went to the stairs going up into her old room and into her closet. She dug through the boxes ontop of the shelf and pulled out a shoe box with “Collin” written in black sharpie ink. She brought it over into her bedroom that she now shared with Nick. She sat on the bed setting the box on the fluffy down comforter. She stared at it for a moment almost hesitant to reopen the old memories and wounds. However it may hurt her heart at the same time she had to know for sure. With shaking hands she opened the box setting the lid on the bed.

She grinned at the pictures on top of the pile a strip taken at a mall photo booth back when they first started dating. Some smiling pictures, a few goofy and one of them kissing. She grinned at the memory closing her eyes remembering exactly how it felt to sit there with him in the booth giggling with nervous flutter of butterflies in her stomach. She moved the pictures aside taking a deep breath as she reached the envelope at the bottom of the box. She saw his distinct script of her name scrawled on the front, the edges bent and paper worn since the over 6 years since he had written it and perished trying to deliver it. It was his final message to her and she never really could bring herself to read it until this very moment. With a breath she turned it over tearing open the flap and sliding out the folded paper that contained the last words he ever wrote.

Alyssa,

I know my words in person could never explain how much I care for you. You’ve been my best friend and the best relationship I’ve had. You’ve been there through everything and I hope to be there for you in all ways that I can.

I feel terrible for breaking off what has been so special and dear to me in the almost year we’ve been together. You’re the most beautiful person that I’ll ever meet, ever love. But to quote Dicken’s it’s a far far better thing I do than I have ever done before.

I know that you will never love me as much as you want to believe those words when you say them to me. I know in my heart and in yours too that it’s not true. Please do not ever think that I think any less of you because you couldn’t feel the same way that I feel about you. But I cannot be with you. I can’t do it to myself or you any longer. You need to be honest with yourself as much as with me. You need to see that your heart belongs to someone else. I saw it last summer. And really I envy him. You’re an amazing girl Ali, please don’t ever think you deserve anything less than the love you feel for him.

Don’t hold back your heart thinking that I am the one for you. We both have so much ahead of us in our lives and I would still like to be a part of that if you’ll let me. To be your friend because truly that’s how we began and maybe that’s what we should have stayed.

Just please remember that I always have cared for you, that in this I do not wish to hurt you at all. But I have to move on with my life as I’m sure you should as well.

Always,

Collin


She read the words over and over not even sure of what she just read. She swallowed hard as she felt the tears of sadness drip down her face. She was saddened because she never did understand the true meaning of his words that night on the phone, that they would talk and he would always be there for her. And he didn’t even get the chance to tell her why he needed to speak to her. No doubt in her mind that she would have been hurt by the break up but at the same time something lifted from her shoulders. In that singular moment she realized something that she wouldn’t let herself believe for the longest time. She never really did love him. It had been Nick that held her heart from the beginning and even Collin could see through her façade that her stubborn mind had put in place to protect herself from all the disappointment of her unrequited feelings. Yet they weren’t unrequited were they after all?

“Alyssa?” She heard from the doorway. She jumped hearing her own name and turned seeing Nick standing there with a concerned look on his face. “Liss you all right?” He asked coming over to her. She handed him the letter and he read it taking it all in. A moment later he looked up to her face. “You didn’t answer my question.”

“I’m okay.” She said wiping her face and breathing in deeply.

“You sure?”

She nodded and grinned leaning over and pressing her lips to his in a sweet kiss. She pulled back slightly looking in his eyes as her hand rested at the back of his neck. “I’m really okay.”

He grinned and kissed her again bringing her close just holding her there. He broke it a few moments later and looked at the box and the things strewn on the bed. “Memory lane?”

“No…just needed to reexamine some things. But okay why are you here? Not that I’m not happy to see you but I thought?”

He shrugged and helped her place everything back in the box closing it letting it sit on the bed for the moment. “I missed you.”

She chuckled at him and shoved his shoulder, “You wasted money and a flight just to say you missed me? You know we do have cellphones you could have called me you asshat.”

He rolled his eyes and pulled her to lay down on the bed pressing his body to hers and knocking the box off the bed in the process. “Yes but I don’t think I can do this over the phone.” He said with a snarky grin as he leaned down to claim her mouth once more.

Later that evening…

Nick kissed the back of her palm as he laced their fingers while they laid there covered only with a thin sheen of sweat over their skin. She grinned and sighed happily. Alyssa rolled onto her back looking up at the ceiling studying the popcorn-escque vaulted drywall. “What are you thinking about?” He asked seeing the pensive expression cross her brow.

She let out a contented sigh again shrugged, “Collin.”

Nick arched an eyebrow, “Okay wow, great way to boost confidence there Liss.”

Alyssa giggled and rolled back to her side facing him again. “No not like that you dweeb.”

He gave her an odd look, “Okay not a mind reader so you gotta tell me.” He said wrapping his arm around her bringing her close so that their bodies were pressed together.

She grinned and placed her hand on his chest lightly rubbing her fingertips over his collarbone. “Just that I convinced myself for so long that I was really in love with him. And even he saw through it. He was going to break up with me the night he died because he figured out that I really loved you and was just trying to be fair to me and himself by letting me go.” She explained.

“I know.”

“Wait what?”

“He told me he was going to end it. I couldn’t tell you, especially after he died you were in so much pain and I couldn’t cause you anymore pain than that.”

“You knew he was going to break up with me? But why didn’t you tell me after we started dating?”

Nick sighed and kissed her forehead, “It wasn’t my place to tell you. He cared for you, and he died trying to be a good friend to us both. He had told me that you were in love with someone else and that’s why he was breaking it off. He never told me that it was me. And after he died and you got so depressed I thought maybe he was wrong and you did really love him like you thought you did. I couldn’t bear to see you in anymore pain so I kept it quiet.”

She pushed a little away from him to look at his face, “You didn’t tell me to spare my feelings?”

“Yeah…”

She grinned and kissed him, “Thank you. Really, I think it’s good that I saw that letter, ran into Jake today and had the truth come out.”

“Why?”

“Because, I began to cut because of his death, and now that I see the truth behind my own lies I told myself to get over you…I don’t see the point of beating myself up over things like that anymore. Collin was killed by a drunk driver, not me. And even with Noah, I can’t blame myself for it. There were so many factors and stressors that we’ll never be able to pinpoint and say that’s what killed him when really he died because he just wasn’t strong enough. And that’s neither of our faults or anyone else’s it was just meant to happen that way.” She rambled as her mind sorted out all her thoughts.

The realization in and of itself shocked her to some extent. She couldn’t believe that in all this time she’d been hating herself for things she really couldn’t control and the one thing she could control, she didn’t even want to admit that in her heart, that she never felt for anyone else what she felt for Nick. A moment later she looked up into his eyes. “You know what I mean?”

He nodded and pulled her in closer. “I know exactly what you mean."



















If you read please take a moment to let me know what you think!

End Notes:
Tri!!!!!! thank you sweets for all your beta-ing!
Chapter 13: Rumor Has It by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter! Seems I've started updating once a week huh? lol Well let's hope I can start updating more too. Thank you for all the wonderful reviews so far! Keep em coming they're all much appreciated!
Chapter Thirteen: Rumor Has It

“Come in with me.” Nick asked as they drove to the airport. Alyssa gave him an odd look and pulled into a parking garage helping him with his bags and walking him toward the ticket counter. He spoke to the clerk and handed her his two bags that he was checking.

“I see there’s two tickets here. Is the lady joining you?” Nick turned to Alyssa with an expectant glance. He’d definitely been hoping that she would indeed come back with him.

“Uh…”

“If you’re worried about clothes Kellie and you pretty much wear the same size. You can borrow some of her clothes for a few days.” He said with a grin.

“I’m not sure that’s such a good idea.” Alyssa said with an impish glance at the clerk.

“So you won’t be using the boarding pass?”

Alyssa shook her head, “No, not today at least.” She admitted. Nick sighed and gathered his boarding pass and they walked off to security. He looked down at his feet as they walked. He held her hand lacing their fingers. Alyssa did the same keeping her eyes focused on anything but what lay ahead of them. Out of the corner of both their eyes they saw a few flashes go off. Nick shook his head a little seemed like no matter where he went there was always someone taking pictures. He looked around seeing at least one paparazzo following them. Once they reached the line for security Nick stopped at a collection of chairs setting his carry-on down on it.

“You sure you won’t come back with me?” Nick asked his face falling a little bit more. He couldn’t deny that it hurt him a little bit more than he liked that she wasn’t going to automatically bend to what he wanted and drag her back onto the promotional tour with him.

Alyssa shook her head, “I’m on the verge of something and I wish you could stay with me but I can’t do it in hotel rooms and on planes and in limos and all that, I just need the peace of being at home for just a little bit longer.”

Nick sighed and pulled her close, closing his eyes and breathing in her scent hoping it would stay with him when she wasn’t in his presence. Little things like the smell of her shampoo or perfume where the things he always missed the most when they were apart. As well as when they were together it was those little things he always took for granted. “I just don’t want to be without you.”

Alyssa grinned as she nuzzled her face into his neck her forehead being lightly scratched by the patch of whiskers he was currently sporting. She pulled back for a moment. “Don’t be sad baby. It’s only a couple more weeks. I’m coming back for the album dropping in New York.” She replied trying to lift his spirits just a little.

“Yeah it’s just hard being the only one there without someone.” He admitted. It was really hard for him to stand there seeing Howie and Leigh being happy about their impending wedding, AJ and Kellie researching things for their pregnancy, Brian and Leighanne playing with Baylee. And there he’d be standing there, like a third wheel.

Alyssa gave him a sympathetic look and hugged him close placing a light kiss to his neck. “You can always call me anytime. I know it’s not the same but it’ll have to do for just a little bit longer okay?” She said as she broke the hug. Nick looked down and nodded. Alyssa sighed and pulled him back in kissing him softly. A moment later she pulled back. “I love you, be safe.” She said softly. All he did was nod in return and headed towards the line that had diminished somewhat. Alyssa swallowed hard seeing the hurt expression on his face. She felt the sting of tears reach the corners of her eyes and she closed her eyes as she turned to go back home. She knew being separated was going to be rough on them both but she knew for the time being that all the traveling wouldn’t help her much at all.

Two days later…

Alyssa answered the phone on the third ring hearing Kellie’s voice on the other end. “Why didn’t you come back?” She asked incredulously. She’d been seething since Nick had come back alone. The guys had sent him to see Alyssa and convince her to come back with him. So the fact that the plan hadn’t exactly gone how they all had hoped made her even more frustrated with her best friend.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “Kel it’s not that simple. It’s just…”

Kellie let out a frustrated sigh, “No Alyssa, he needs you, stop being so completely selfish about all of this crap and just be with him.”

“Kel I’m not going to talk to you about this right now. Call me back when you are in a better mood.” Alyssa said as she hung up the phone. It drove her nuts that no one was really able to understand what she was going through or what she wanted to be a better person and all the stress of traveling around with minimal privacy is not what she needed at the moment. She hated to admit that she did really want to be with him, but she just needed the stability of being at home just for a little while longer.

A few moments later she picked up the phone dialing Nick’s cell. “Hello?” His voice said on the other end.

“Can you make Cujo back off a little bit?”

Nick chuckled, “What? What happened?”

Alyssa sat on the bed reclining back against the headboard. “My illustrious best friend Keller Elizabeth called and bitched me out.”

“What happened? What did you do to her? You know she’s pregnant and not in her right mind at the moment so…”

Alyssa rolled her eyes and interrupted him. “No it’s not what I did to her. Apparently it’s what I’m doing to you. Care to elaborate Mr. Carter…?” She said a little more sharply than she intended.

Nick chuckled and sighed, “Liss…I’m sorry I know what you need and that’s no traveling but it’s really hard without you here. I just wish you could see that I need you.” He said simply mentally smacking himself for admitting how much he really wanted her to be there with him by his side.

“Lover…” She began hoping the pet name would lift his spirits up just a little bit more. She tried to explain her actions better but then an old piece of advice came flooding back to her mind. ‘Don’t try to explain anymore it’ll just make him feel what you think he feels doesn’t matter’ She heard Kristin’s voice ring through her head. She shook her head and smiled at the words her friend had so rightly given her back when her and Nick had a problem on the Never Gone Tour. “I’m sorry baby. I really am.” She replied.

A few days later…

“So Alyssa lets talk about you and Nick for a bit. I’ve heard what you have to say when he’s around but let’s go deeper.” Dr. Pinsky suggested as they sat in his office.

Alyssa took a deep breath, “What would you like to know?”

“What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you see that ring on your finger?” He asked sincerely looking up over his black rimmed glasses at her.

Alyssa looked down at the glinting of the rock on her left ring finger and grinned. “I think of how he bought it. My dad took him to get it before he died and had Nick promise to take care of me as the man in my life when he would be gone.” She said with just a twinge of sadness in her voice at the mention of her father.

“What was Nick’s reaction when your father passed away?”

Alyssa sat back for a moment trying to think of what exactly his reaction was. “Come to think of it he was sort of stoic about it.” She admitted. She thought for a few moments. “God, he’s been doing that forever hasn’t he?”

“Doing what?”

“Saving his feelings in favor of what I’m going through.” She thought out loud to herself. Even when Collin had died he was there for her on the phone at the funeral to be her shoulder to cry on. Back when her father had died he’d held her as she cried at the loss of the best role model she ever knew. She’d even used him to take her mind off the horrible pain she’d been going through. Nick had always been there for her to be strong and almost unemotional at times with how he was always so concerned for her and her turmoil maybe she should have just slowed herself down and seen what had been going through his mind, his heart. “For so many years I’d gotten used to ignoring his actions to protect myself I guess it just became a really nasty habit.”

“So what do you want to do to fix this bad habit?”

“I should talk to him shouldn’t I? I mean God, all he’s ever tried to do was be there for me and I wasn’t there for him too.” She said sighing a little. “I love him. I love everything about him, even the stupid little habits that normally piss me off to no end I love because it’s all a part of his personality.”

“When are you going to the promo tour?”

“I’m thinking more like next week instead of right before the album drops.”

Dr. Pinsky smiled at her, “Before you do that, I want you to go to a support group. It’ll help you better see that you and Nick are definitely not alone in the fact that you lost your child. A lot of new parents lose their children everyday. From birth defects, sudden infant death syndrome, and sometimes-even heart defects. I think it’ll really help you see that it’s really no one’s fault what happened with Noah. I know we’ve been talking about Nick today but this will also help you relate to Nick more. Ask some of the mothers there about their relationships with their husbands, or significant others and how it either brought them together or ripped them apart. And then really analyze how your relationship has changed in such a way since Noah’s passing. Can you do that for me before you leave?”

“Yeah I think I can definitely do that. Can I also discuss it with Nick? I’ve been really trying to improve our communication skills lately.”

Dr. Pinsky nodded appreciatively, “I think that would be a wonderful idea Alyssa, most definitely talk things over with him. And most importantly talk about how it’s affected him too. Do all of that and work on the whole comfort level.”

“How do I do that? I mean I’m completely perplexed by that. I thought I was pretty comfortable with him.”

He thought for a moment before speaking. “Go outside your comfort zone, talk to him about what he likes what he wants, and do the same back talk about what you like and what you want. It’ll be an interesting conversation that’s for sure but it will definitely help you two gain the ground you need to gaining a much more intimate level of comfort. And definitely do not be afraid to try new things that you may not know he’ll like but think it’d be interesting to try. That’s one of his main issues. He wants you to express things you want to try without always having to get permission if it’s okay or not.”

That night…

Alyssa giggled to herself as she surfed the message boards. She thought it was hilarious that the fans were all speculating about her absence. She stopped laughing when she pulled up a picture of Nick looking rather stoic but in his eyes you could totally see he was not right with himself. She sighed and looked at the comments from the girls saying he looks haggard, like he’s been crying. Then the blame game started up blaming Jane, Alyssa and pretty much everyone under the sun for his foul mood.

She listened to the interviews of Nick dispelling the rumors of any possible break up and she sighed again, he shouldn’t have to put up with all of that. She knew now that it was the right decision to leave his side and seek the help she’d been denying that she needed for so long but at the same time she just didn’t like that he had to deal with the media fall out of her departure. She signed on to her MySpace emailing him a message and then stared at her blank blog. She began typing vigorously pouring out all of her emotions into the world wide web hoping that her message would not only get her thoughts across to her fiancé but his fans as well.

At the same time thousands of miles away Nick was idly surfing the net checking his email before he had to go do promotion on some European television show. He went onto his MySpace rolling his eyes at the gazillion messages in his inbox. After weeding out much of the stuff from the fans that he archived into a special folder for them he saw Alyssa’s message.

Hey sweets check out my blog, I wrote something that I think will cease all those ridiculous rumors about us. I love you and I hope to talk to you soon.

Always,
Alyssa


Intrigued by this he clicked over to her profile and on to her blog seeing the headline “Separation Anxiety…” With a slight chuckle he opened the post and began to read what she had wrote.

Life throws a lot of curveballs I must say. If you would have told me oh let’s say about five days before I turned 21 back in 2004 that I would have found the love of my life in my best friend I would have seriously laughed in your face. I didn’t want to believe that my best friend could be the man I’d always been looking for. We’d been through so many ups and downs and really as I look back I feel like it was all one sided.

As long as I’ve known him he’s been the “strong one” out of the two of us. I actually can remember back to the first few times we hung out all the way back in 1996 before he went back to his career in Europe like where he is right now. He tried to always put what his siblings wanted to do before himself. I think that’s really always been his way. Putting everyone he loves ahead of himself. Sometimes yes he gets selfish and really can anyone blame him? He’s a normal man, famous or not he’s still human.

And sometimes I really have to thank some of his fans that see him as a human being. One who’s capable of mistakes and hardships. I know I’m guilty of putting my personal idols (Jane Austen for instance) on a huge pedestal when really they’re just human beings too. Or in Miss Austen’s case were a human being and now a literary goddess. Anyways I’m getting away from my point here.

The past year, hell our entire friendship/relationship we’ve seen some really incredible highs and incredibly dark lows. This past year was the most difficult we’ve ever been through. The death of a child is something no parent should ever have to endure. Cliché as that sounds its extremely true. And through all of that pain and suffering we went through he was my rock through it all. Always the one to be there in a clinch when he’s needed most. And I think that’s what I’ve always been most afraid of. Relying on him and then one day when per chance he couldn’t be there I’d be all alone. I guess that’s why I’ve always tried to be the independent woman that I am. But honestly without his friendship, his love and most importantly his strength I honestly don’t think I would be where I am today.

So really in this long convoluted rant, I’m thanking him. Yes that’s right Nick I’m thanking you. I know you’re reading this and wondering why I put it here, but I wanted you to see it, wanted the world to see that no matter what I am truly grateful for you, my best friend, my lover and my soul mate.


Nick grinned as he read it over and over smiling wider and wider. It was really amazing how just one simple thing could completely restore his faith in their relationship and her ability to bounce back to the girl he fell so head over heels for over the years.




If you read take a moment to let me know what you think! =)
End Notes:
Tri! Thanks once again for all your beta-ing
Chapter 14: Slow Me Down by Teri
Author's Notes:
YAY AN UPDATE! lol Since I got such awesome Reviews from everyone yesterday I figured I'd be really uber nice and update today! Here ya'll go with Chapter 14!
Chapter Fourteen: Slow Me Down

Rushing and racing and running in circles. Moving so fast, I'm forgetting my purpose. Blur of the traffic is sending me spinning. Getting nowhere. My head and my heart are colliding, chaotic. Pace of the world. I just wish I could stop it. Try to appear like I've got it together falling apart. Save me. Somebody take my hand, and lead me. Slow me down. Don't let love pass me by. Just show me how. 'Cause I'm ready to fall. Slow me down. Don't let me live a lie. Before my life flies by. I need you to slow me down. Sometimes I fear that I might disappear. In the blur of fast forward I falter again. Forgetting to breathe, I need to sleep getting nowhere. All that I've missed I see in the reflection. Passed me while I wasn't paying attention. Tired of rushing, racing and running falling apart. Tell me. Oh won't you take my hand and lead me. Slow me down. Don't let love pass me by . Just show me how. 'Cause I'm ready to fall. Slow me down. Don't let me live a lie. Before my life flies by I need you to slow me down Just show me slow me down, slow me down The noise of the world is getting me caught up Chasing the clock and I wish I could stop it Just need to breathe, somebody please. Slow me down (Slow Me Down – Emmy Rossum)

***********************************
Alyssa Narrating:

Support group? Eesh I’m not sure if I’m really ready for all of that. From what I’ve heard of support groups it’s almost like AA where you go in and share your experiences with a bunch of strangers and find solace and comfort knowing that it can always be worse or that people really can persevere through the darkest of times.

It’s a great idea in theory, but then again so is communism. I wish Nick would be here to go with me. It seems more and more I need him. Maybe I’ve always needed him and have been just so afraid to accept that need. I love him…I mean I’ve always loved him in one way or the other. And now…after everything we’ve been through…the ups the downs all I can think about is how much I need him in my life.

Realizing that the one person you swore you could never have, ends up being the only person you ever want tends to be a tad unnerving at times. A lot of times I can’t get how much he understands me. He understands my actions better than I do sometimes and that right there is mindblowing for sure.

I’m really glad that Nick suggested that we go to counseling in the first place. It’s done everything to help us in ways that I’m not sure that either of us were really ready to face together. But it’s made us really see how much we have in each other. Like I never really, honestly appreciated how much I love the way his hands feel on my shoulders when he surprises me. Or how much I love his kisses, his eyes, his warmth. Like literally how warm his body is when we just lay in bed together, skin to skin or hell even fully clothed it’s like he’s my personal heating blanket.

But anyways I’m getting away from my point. Therapy has been good for us. It’s really saved us. It’s slowed us down to stop all the drama and all the angst we’d been putting ourselves through. I love him and we shouldn’t have been suffering like we were. Yes it was okay to have the pain and grief of losing Noah but at the same time, I should have been stronger and seen that he needed me.

And even more importantly that I needed him. I need him now more than ever. It’s because I’ve really begun to understand that need. It’s not that I need him to be the stoic man that he’s always kind of been for me. I need him to be Nick, the sweet goofy guy I love with all my heart. I know there’s so many things we still have to work through, still have to get passed before we’re truly indestructible as a couple.

Mainly my thing is the whole intimacy level.

Now don’t get me wrong the sex is absolutely mind blowing, hell toe curling at that. But I’ve always been really self conscious about my body. I know I shouldn’t I work hard to be in really good shape and all. But at the same time… I’m not all that confident in my ability to satisfy Nick sexually. I mean he’s really the only guy I’ve had sex with. Yeah I’m not really counting Routh, he was a stupid one night stand.

But Nick…he intimidates me with how much he knows about my body. He can just go to town on me and I will love every single second of it, and he never has to be told twice what I like or even once for that matter. And honestly I really love that he knows my body inside and out. And there’s just so many things I want to still try with him. I know this sounds corny or even borderline teen drama-ish but I really want to explore my sexuality with him. Of course I want to explore his as well. I want to know all his deep dark fantasies and make them real. The only thing that’s really keeping me from finding that level of comfort that he wants me to find. I’m scared shitless that once I start this with him it’s going to be like pandora’s box and I won’t be able to measure up like Amanda may have or hell Dalene or Kaya or the many other busty gorgeous women he’s bedded over the years. I mean I get that he thinks I’m beautiful and sexy. I’m okay looking I did look hot in Maxim I’ll give myself credit for that (oh and the awesome photographer at least they didn’t airbrush me much like I asked).

But anyways, what if I can’t measure up? I mean he told me for years he’d dream/fantasize about the things he’d always wanted to do with me so what if I can’t be as good as this imaginary me? Or worse what if I do something to surprise him sexually and he totally hates it? Especially if I find it hot? That would be just…I don’t know it would be horribly embarrassing you know?

I guess that’s why I’m not all that excited about exploring our sexuality as a couple. I’m apprehensive I know, and I have every reason to be. But at the same time I’m kicking myself because I really want to be closer to him.

In every way possible.

End Narration.
*************************************

Alyssa walked into the church recreation hall taking a deep breath as she saw the gathering circle of women and some men sitting with their wives some sitting close others across the room. She grabbed a pamphlet and took a seat towards the middle. She looked around and tried to take everything in before the group session began.

A woman stood bringing a chair to the middle of the circle. “Welcome everyone I see some new faces. We’ll do some introductions to start off and then we’ll begin today’s exercises.” She announced. She pointed to a few other people hearing them introduce themselves and what their child had passed away from. She thought it was a bit harsh and zoned out.

A few moments later she snapped out of it realizing the woman’s attention had been shifted to her. “Sorry, I’m Alyssa Monroe, I’m a professor at UCLA and umm….my son Noah he was born 3 months premature and with a heart defect. He didn’t survive much longer than a few hours in the ICU.”

“Is the father here with you?”

Alyssa took a breath and shook her head, “No my fiancé is in Europe on business.”

“Psh typical most husbands or whatever never want to come in.” One woman said. A few men in the room grumbled and looked at their women as if they were being water boarded.

Alyssa shook her head again, “No if he could be here he would. We went through a lot and he’s been my rock through it all.” She stated confidently.

“That’s good to hear Alyssa, tell us more about yourself and the loss of your son.”

She sighed swallowing hard it was hard telling her darkest pain to a room full of strangers. Yet at the same time it was somewhat freeing that they all seemed to have been through something similar. “I didn’t get to know him all that much. I had been on bed rest and my sister had gotten attacked and I went to the hospital because it’s my sister. And my water ended up breaking and they weren’t able to stop labor. And did an emergency c-section, I bled out and my heart stopped. They used the defibrillators on me and everything and I was pretty out of it for a couple days afterwards because of the meds they had me on. So I really didn’t get to see him. That’s been the hardest part, not knowing what he looked like, Nick didn’t take any pictures because he was hooked up so many machines he didn’t think it was right.”

“Do you feel bad that you never got to see him?”

Alyssa shrugged, “In a lot of ways it’s hard but in some ways its better, I can’t imagine what Nick was going through that night, I wasn’t conscious and our own child was dying if I had been awake I would have fallen apart and just been a complete wreck.”

Alyssa listened intently as the topic shifted throughout the session. Afterwards Alyssa stood taking her bag her mind swirling with the many thoughts that had been brought to her attention throughout the session. “Alyssa?”

Alyssa turned, “Hi…” She said greeting the moderator.

“My name is Erica. I wanted to say thank you for coming in and sharing your experience with the group.” She said warmly. Alyssa nodded in return. “I have a couple questions for you before you leave.”

Alyssa set down her bag and smiled, “Fire away.” She said with a soft smile.

“Are you and your fiancé still planning on getting married even though…”

Alyssa shook her head ‘yes’. “Of course we still love each other and if anything this whole experience has taught us to be more appreciative of what we have in each other.”

“That’s really good to hear Alyssa, many of the couples who come to the group have a tendency to either be on the outs or on their way there. I’m glad that you haven’t found that to be the case with you and your fiancé. I hope you realize how lucky that makes you two to have your relationship survive a test like that.”

That night…

“So what was it like?” Nick asked settling himself on the hotel room bed. Alyssa grinned and relaxed herself in an overstuffed armchair. She sighed as she gathered her thoughts and played with the end of her lacy camisole. “Uh Liss…babe you’re zoning out on me again.” He added making her chuckle.

“Sorry was just thinking. It was really upsetting you know, to hear all those stories and seeing all those faces. Was I that bad?”

“Umm well you were more shut down than anything. You could completely tell you were hurting but you didn’t allow anyone in.”

Alyssa swallowed hard and sunk into the chair kicking her legs up on the side. “I’m really sorry for that you know.” She began. It hadn’t even crossed her mind at the time that she was only really hurting everyone she knew instead of trying to guard them from her own pain. “I thought I was doing the right thing by keeping it to myself and sparing you from it.”

Nick bit his lip and closed his eyes, “It hurt more that you weren’t letting me in.”

“I know…and I see that now. I can’t do anything but say I’m sorry for what happened and try to avoid that ever happening again. I guess I blamed myself, and I blamed you…”

“Blamed me?”

“Yeah, for not forcing me to slow down, for not seeing how toxic your mom was being. I know that you’re just human but I wanted someone to blame and I blamed us both and punished us accordingly I guess too.”

“Yeah I’d have to agree there. Seeing you cut again was definitely scary.”

Alyssa took a deep breath and let it out with a shaky sigh. “I’m so sorry. I wanted to kill myself, to punish myself over and over for what I’d done. I thought I killed him. I really thought I did. I know now that I didn’t but at the time I hated myself for not being strong enough for him, for you, for my family and for us.”

Nick felt his chest tighten as their talk continued, “But Alyssa don’t blame yourself…you don’t realize how much of a good person you are. I know you were trying to the right thing by sparing everyone your emotions but we needed your emotions to show us that our own were real too.”

“I know, I love you…and I’m sorry I let myself get so lost in my own pain. You’ve been so good to me. As my friend and my fiancé I really think I don’t deserve you some days.”

He grinned a little, “You deserve to be happy and I hope I still make you happy.”

“You always have. Even with just friendship you made me feel like I was your equal, someone you could really trust and I know how huge that is for you. Being in the business even from my little bit of limelight from the show and the tabloids I can really see how toxic this business can be if you’re not careful.”

“I love you…” He said quietly just above a whisper. She grinned and felt a few tears slide down her face from the intense emotions in their conversation.

“I’m really glad you do…” She said simply. “You’re the best person I’ve ever known. I’m sorry I haven’t appreciated you as much as I should have…”

He chuckled a little bit, “Can we please change the subject. At least for now I want to talk about something else…something less intense you know?”

“Of course, how was your day?”

“Busy as all fuck but you know how it is. The guys have been giving me a hard time because I’m like glued to my fucking blackberry waiting for you to call me.”

“Blackberry now eh? What’s next Mr. Tech Savvy you gonna get an Iphone?” She teased grinning.

He laughed a little, “Yeah well when are you coming back?”

She giggled a little at his change of topic. “Soon enough lover. Besides don’t you know absence makes the heart grow fonder?”

“Yeah and the wrist sore apparently too.” He quipped making Alyssa snort at him.

“Well stop pulling so hard! You’re big enough I don’t need to be coming back to stretch Armstrong.” She retorted making Nick’s shoulders shake with laughter.

“God you’re a dork but I love you anyways.” He said wiping his eyes from laughing so hard.

Alyssa took a breath and finished up their conversation for the night. She sat in the chair for a longtime afterwards just resting her head back on the arm rest staring up at the ceiling. It’d be a really long time since they’d had such an emotionally charged conversation. One moment they’re reliving their darkest hour as a couple and the next they’re wise cracking about masturbation. She shook her head and sighed. She got up and placed the phone back on its charger before she went to go through the foyer to the stairs for a nice hot bath and some reading before bed. A shrill ring of the doorbell crashed through her thoughts and she went to it wondering who would be there at 11pm at night, a week night at that. She opened the door seeing Angel’s face and the concern washed over her. “What’s wrong honey?” She asked as she let Angel in.

“I’m sorry to barge in like this, I’d heard you were home. I just I didn’t know who else to talk to aside from Nick and he’s not exactly all that reachable at the moment.” Angel said as she took a seat on the couch, with Alyssa pulling up a patch of leather for herself on the couch next to her.

“I just got off the phone with him I can call him back if you need me to?” Alyssa offered with a reassuring pat to Angel’s knee.

“No it’s okay Nick would probably just dismiss it completely. But I’m really worried.”

Alyssa gave her a look and moved closer, “Well no matter what it is honey I’m here for you.”

“It’s about Aaron…”




If you read take a moment and let me know what you thought! =)

Chapter 15: Seems Like Yesterday by Teri
Author's Notes:
YAY another chapter. I'm working on chapter 19 right now, hopefully I can get that done today and then update again tomorrow! Thanks everyone!
Chapter Fifteen: Seems Like Yesterday

Alyssa walked through the airport passing through security once more as she looked around for a familiar face. “Just where do you think you’re going little miss?” She heard behind her. She whirled around and grinned.

“Frank!” She cooed giving him a big hug. “How are you?”

He grinned at her and helped her with her bags. “I’m doing just fine Alyssa. How have you been?” He asked sincerely. She loved that Nick’s bodyguard was always so kind and sweet to her and sometimes to Nick even though he didn’t always deserved to be nice to she mused to herself. To the fans Frank was the mean one, the one that if Nick didn’t want to talk to any fans then he most certainly didn’t have to.

“I’m really good today, just really excited I missed everyone.” She admitted with a nervous grin. Frank led her out to a black car putting her bags, her laptop bag, a black duffel, and her large roller into the trunk. She grinned at him trying to offer her help but he shook her off opening the passenger door for her. She got in sliding across letting him get in as well. The car pulled out onto the road just as Alyssa’s phone began to ring Nick’s ring-tone that she’d designated for him. “Hey you.” She said trying to mock and exasperated sigh.

Nick’s brow furrowed, “What’s wrong baby?” He asked wondering why she was saddened by her tone alone.

She took a deep breath, “I’m at the airport. I tried to get an earlier flight…and uh…well it’s been delayed because of the freaky weather.” She said simply.

“Are you kidding me?” He asked feeling even more dismayed. “When will you be able to make it out?”

“I don’t know yet…I’ll let you know when I do though. I’m really sorry baby…” Alyssa said again crossing her fingers as she fibbed to Nick over the phone.

Nick sighed feeling really disappointed that Alyssa’s flight had been delayed. Little did he know she was just about to reach the hotel that he would be returning to in just a little over an hour. She’d been planning the entire thing that she’d be showing up early to surprise Nick. During Angel’s visit they’d devised the plan between discussing Aaron’s destructive behavior and her new found confidence in their relationship. She’d told Nick she would be coming in the next day but that due to weather her flight was being delayed. “I just can’t believe you can’t make it out…”

“I’m really trying baby I am…” She said stifling a grin as Frank, Nick’s body guard shot her a glance from the other side of the town car he’d chartered to fetch her from the airport. She’d even gone so far as to include him in on her little scheme to surprise her fiancé. There was no doubt in her mind that she wanted this to go smoothly, to really begin to serve as the kicking off point to an entirely new level of intimacy for them. Through discussing things with her own sister, Lori and even Angel as far as what they thought was and wasn’t sexually taboo she had come to learn a lot about herself and that her personal fantasies and things that could be deemed fetishes weren’t all that strange after all. A few moments later Alyssa rang off with Nick promising that she would indeed call him when she got her new flight information. No doubt she thought that he wanted to pick her up at the airport, be the first one she saw.

Frank brought her into the hotel the back way making sure that the fans wouldn’t see her as she snuck up to Nick’s suite. Frank hugged her and handed her a spare key. “He’s one lucky guy.” He said in his slow Texas drawl.

She grinned and gave him a hug before entering the suite she made sure to hide all her bags and sat on the bed relaxing in just a pair of low rise relaxed jeans that hugged all of her curves and a tighter than normal jersey tee-shirt of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. She felt the butterflies rise in her stomach as she awaited his arrival back to the hotel. She looked through her bag for a moment getting slightly bored at how slow and cruel the clock was being to her keeping them separated just for that much longer. She flipped through her copy of Cosmo looking at the various articles and tips on sex and foreplay. She grinned hoping that her little surprise would definitely get him raring to go. She’d been more than missing him as of late and even worse she was missing his touch more and more all the time.

She felt the dull ache in the pit of her stomach as she looked around the room, she contemplated for a moment letting him walking in on her naked sprawled out on the hotel bed touching herself in anticipation for his return. She chuckled at herself at the cheesy porn like idea. She heard the boys down the hall laughing at each other and Howie making a few choice jabs at Nick for being the “single-looking” one on the promotional tour since Alyssa wasn’t around. At that moment Alyssa grabbed her perfume from her bag before hiding it and spritzed a little on herself and then just in the air in front of the door that Nick would enter in just a few moments. Meanwhile, outside Nick rolled his eyes. “You’re just pissed because I get awesome sex when I do see her.” He quipped back.

Howie snorted and smacked Nick on the back, “Yeah but Leigh and Howie play hide the salami every night.” AJ retorted making Nick wrinkle his nose and snicker at the comment.

“Okay you losers I’m going to go call my woman I’ll see you guys at dinner okay?”

“Sure thing Nicky.” Howie replied. Nick slid the key into the door seeing the green light indicate that the door was unlocked he opened the door and immediately noticed something was different. One breath inside the door and he smelled that all too familiar scent. One that smelled like vanilla orchids and chocolate.

“Alyssa…” He sighed closing his eyes for a moment hoping that it wasn’t just an illusion. He looked throughout the suite seeing nothing was different, no extra bags anywhere no tell tale signs that she was there. He sighed and went to the door to the bedroom of the suite. With a glance at his blackberry seeing no new messages from Alyssa he gripped the door handle and opened it going into the room looking at the floor.

“Ahem…” He heard a voice come from the bed. He looked up and saw her sitting there her hair down in soft dark brunette waves, her laid back attire of the shirt and jeans and the smell of her perfume that still lingered on him from the living area. To top it off her eyes were a bright light green and a devilish smirk played on her mouth as she folded her hands in her lap sitting up straight and tall. “Hello lover…” She said keeping her voice just barely above a whisper, letting it almost sound raspy.

He let his eyes rake over her not quite understanding if she was really there or if he was going to wake up at any moment to find his bed empty. “You’re…?” He asked trailing off almost afraid to move any closer.

Alyssa arched one eye brow and then got up putting an extra subtle sway to her hips as she walked toward him. “Yeah…so sue me I lied…” She grinned. At that very moment all of his resolve and willpower left him as he reached out with one hand putting it at the back of her neck bringing her to him in a heated kiss. She grinned as their lips met and immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and tangling her fingers in his hair as she opened her mouth sweeping her tongue out to meet his. He groaned feeling her tongue stud click against his teeth and rub against his tongue. She broke the kiss momentarily backing him up to the wall with one hand and going to his shirt lifting it up and off of him. She pushed him back against the cool drywall and kissed along his collarbone going to the thin silver chain that he wore around his neck. She wrapped her tongue around it for a moment then let it fall back to his skin making him shiver at the cold metal. She moved over to his neck sucking along his Adam’s apple and along the veins in his neck as his muscles tensed at the sensation. She moved her mouth up to his ear. “Relax lover…this is what you wanted isn’t it?” She asked with a devilish tone to her voice.

He swallowed hard and his breathing began to get shallow. She smirked and bit along his neck and down his collarbone. She kissed along his chest swirling her tongue around his nipples biting them gently making him his and arch his back. Alyssa smirked and kept kissing and licking down his chest and abdomen. She kneeled in front of him and brought her hands from his knees up his thighs to the button of his jeans unbuttoning and unzipping them she smirked as she saw that he’d decided to not wear underwear on that particular day. She pushed his jeans past his hips letting them pool around his ankles. He looked down at her as she lightly scratched her nails up and down from his hips to his knees making his leg muscles quiver at the touch. She smirked looking up meeting his gaze for a moment then reached to the thin black band around her wrist gathering her long hair at the back of her head pulling it into a taut pony tail. His breath caught as he hardened even more at the simple action. Alyssa giggled and took his hand in hers and placed it at the back of her head letting his fingers wrap around her hair. She looked up at him and leaned licking her lips as her hand gripped the base of his cock and the other went to his calf lightly tracing his tattoo. “Show me how you like it…” She semi-commanded. Nick breathed deeply trying to maintain what little composure he had left.

“Suck me....” He said pushing her face closer. She grinned and took his tip into her mouth swirling her tongue around it and teasing the sensitive vein on the underside of it. He growled and pushed her mouth further onto him forcing her to take more into her mouth. “God Liss more…” He grunted guiding her mouth forcefully over him moaning when he felt the back of her throat. She hummed a little making his hips buck involuntarily. She brought both hands up to steady his hips as she began moving her mouth faster over his cock making a slight slurping noise as she did. He moaned loudly feeling her hands move between his legs. He knew he wasn’t going to last much longer, the sheer excitement of having her in his presence again had definitely weakened any resolve to hold out long. Alyssa cupped his sack in one hand massaging it gently tugging at it a little as she nipped along his tip again before being pushed back down onto him. Her other hand moved past his sack and to a small strip of skin just behind it. She smirked inwardly and hollowed out her mouth increasing her suction over his engorged skin simultaneously she gripped his sack and moved her other hand to press her fingers gently against the sensitive area. Nick’s back arched as his head threw back letting out a long low guttural growl as his body exploded in release. Alyssa continued her movements on him slowing down here and there, cleaning him up as she brought him off his high. She felt the grip on her hair weaken and she pulled away watching him brace himself against the wall and the tall armoire that he was standing next to. “Mother fucker…” He panted feeling his entire body jolt in tiny aftershocks.

Alyssa stood a second later and kissed his neck whispering, “You think that was good wait 'til later…” She mused making his eyes widen at her. He didn’t know exactly what had gotten into her to change her mood so radically but whatever it was he definitely wasn’t going to question it at the present moment. Nick kicked off the jeans around his ankles along with the flip flops he’d been wearing. Alyssa pushed him over to the bed sitting him down. “I missed you…” She said standing with one of his knees between her legs.

He smirked and moved his hands to her knee that was in-between his own knees. He moved his hands up her denim covered thigh as she rested her hands on his shoulders. With his right hand on the inside of her thigh he moved up grazing his hand over her through her clothing making her close her eyes and bite her lip. He moved his hand roughly back and forth for a moment making her moan and shudder. He smirked wider and moved his hands to undo her jeans. He pulled them over her hips as she crossed her hands in front of her chest lifting her shirt up and over her head revealing a red nearly sheer bra. He groaned seeing that underneath her jeans lay only skin. “You have no idea how difficult it was to sit through a 5 hour plane ride thinking about what I was going to do once I got here.” She muttered as she kicked off her jeans and his hands went to the front clasp of her bra.

“Handy…” He joked making her roll her eyes at him.

“Isn’t it? I thought so.” She smirked back as she moved to place her knees on either side of his hips but before she could he stopped her making her widen her stance in front of him. She took a deep breath as he moved to his knees in front of her backing her up just slightly from the bed. She sighed as his mouth made contact with her stomach swirling his tongue around her belly button then moving down along her scar that had all but faded since that fateful night last July. He moved his mouth lower smirking and her bare skin.

“Brazilian again?”

“I kind of like it…don’t you...?”

“Hell yeah…” He grinned kissing along her soft skin. He moved a hand behind her right knee bending it lifting it and throwing it over his shoulder making her falter a bit.

“Whoa…warn me when you do that….” She said balancing herself on his shoulder. He grinned and gripped her hips turning them a full 180 degrees and plopping her body onto the bed behind them. He pulled her hips to the edge and gripped onto her thigh that rested on his shoulder as he leaned in flicking his tongue over her clit lightly then lightly blowing air on it making her entire body break out in goose bumps. Alyssa raised herself onto her elbows as she felt his tongue slide against her. “Nick…” She sighed as she closed her eyes. She kept growing more and more impatient as he continued his torture on her. “Nick just fuck me already…” She said in desperation.

Nick looked up at her and smirked and moved up her body claiming her mouth in a sultry kiss. Alyssa’s hands went to his shoulders trying in vain to pull him down onto her. He resisted for a few moments and pulled back a little. “Will you just lay back and enjoy this?” He asked gently pushing her shoulders down onto the mattress. She backed up and laid in the middle of the bed. Nick joined her sitting next to her hip. He leaned down kissing her mouth then along her jaw lightly reaching her neck. He gently bit at her pulse point then sucked along it making her chest rise and fall rapidly. He moved his mouth down her shoulder kissing the crook of her arm, then swirling his tongue around the veins on the inside of her wrist making her grin at the simple action. He moved to her other side starting at her wrist and going back up to her neck kissing softly just below her ear.

Alyssa kept her eyes open and focused on him and what he would do next she felt her stomach flutter as he brought a hand up and lightly ran it from just under her chin straight down the middle of her body stopping just at her lower abdomen. He moved his mouth along the same trail his hand had made deviating once he reached the top of her chest. Alyssa watched as he cocked his head to the side letting her see as he moved his mouth over her soft skin. He swirled his tongue around her nipple before bringing it fully into his mouth sucking gently. Alyssa moaned breathlessly and arched her back trying to keep him close for just that much longer. Nick braced one arm on the bed pinning Alyssa’s hand underneath his. The other hand lightly lay against her hip his thumb moving back and forth over her pelvic bone.

Nick moved his mouth over to her other breast paying it the same careful attention he had on the other. She gripped his hand that pinned hers and sighed shivering and moaning softly as he began to kiss down her stomach. The hand that rested at her hip moved in front tracing the scar that ran diagonally along the sharp plane of her hip. He traced it lightly placing butterfly kisses on it and around it. Alyssa closed her eyes at the sincere gesture biting back her tears slightly just trying to revel in his touch alone and not the large emotions that they brought out. He settled himself at her side leaning over her body as he bent and spread her legs.

He didn’t look up but instead kept his eyes focused on her lower half determined to make her relax and just enjoy what he had planned in his mind. With almost skilled precision he drug his fingers across her wetness ever so lightly that her entire body tensed as she sharply took in a breath. He rubbed his fingers in a circular motion around her clit as he moved in kissing down her pelvic bone and replacing his fingers with his tongue attacking her from the side instead of straight on like he normally did. One moment he was roughly licking around it and the next he was flicking his tongue across it making her thrash her head back against the bed, arching her back as she groaned in pleasure. At the same time his fingers plunged inside of her thrusting gently as he continued to lap at her. Alyssa’s body heat rose higher as a flush began to creep up her stomach and chest to her face as she panted clutching at the sheets beneath her in abandonment while he sped up his movements and inserted a third finger inside of her. Nick sucked her clit into his mouth humming just slightly causing her entire body to tense and contract as her orgasm flooded her senses. He kissed his way back up her body slowly his fingers easing her off her high as he moved to lay next to her kissing her shoulder.

Alyssa laid still for a moment as he ran his fingertips over her stomach. Still reeling from her orgasm she pulled him to a sitting position instructing him to sit Indian style on the mattress. She joined him sitting on his lap folding her legs around him as she felt his erection enter her deeply. She leaned back holding onto his neck for support as she began to slowly rock her hips against him, back and forth, around in a circle all the while keeping her pace infinitely slow and steady. Nick leaned down nipping and sucking on her chest as they both moaned out in pure ecstasy. Alyssa pulled his head up locking eyes with him as they moved their hips against each other. Alyssa grinned and pressed her mouth to his tracing his lower lip with her tongue. He grinned into the kiss and grabbed hold of her hips rocking them faster.

Getting a wicked idea she let go of him totally just keeping their lower halves connected. Alyssa laid back flat against the bed but kept rolling her hips towards him making her arch her back. Nick smirked bringing his hands to her abdomen. One traveled lower playing with her clit as his cock rubbed against all the right spots inside her. She sighed grinning a little as his other hand lay flat at the end of her ribcage and his fingertips made little circles. She took the opportunity and took the hand that lay against her mid torso into her left hand and laced their fingers so that her ring glinted in the light of the room as he gripped her hand tighter getting closer and closer to their mutual climax.

Nick breathed harder clutching her hand in his as he felt his entire body explode in release. Alyssa’s release wasn’t far behind as she arched her back tensing completely still except for her hips that were rocking slightly against him almost as if she didn’t want the feeling to subside. Nick felt her body go limp as she finished riding out her orgasm. He gathered her up and laid them back against the bed as she rested against his chest completely sated and satisfied.

The following day…

Nick stepped out of the shower toweling himself off as he walked back into the bedroom of his hotel suite stopping short when he saw Alyssa bent over stretching in a yoga pose with her legs apart and hands on the floor between her ankles. “Uh…” He muttered cocking his head to the side. A moment later Alyssa pushed her ankles together and vaulted her feet back to where she was in a half push-up arching her back and pointing her toes. He watched for a moment longer before shaking his head as he went over pulling on a pair of boxers and jeans. He sat on the bed watching her as she moved to sit twisting her body as she breathed deeply with her eyes closed. Once she was finished she opened her eyes seeing him sitting there watching her.

“What are you staring at?” She asked with a knowing smirk. She asked rolling up her yoga mat putting it away. When she came back over to the bed Nick pulled her to straddle his lap.

“Oh you know the usual…my fiancée’s ass.” He remarked making her snicker and wrap her arms around his shoulders.

“Oh really huh?” She replied leaning in pressing her mouth to his. He turned them over laying her on the bed as he deepened the kiss. Nick ground his hips into hers as she planted both feet flat against the bed rotating her hips in a circular motion against his crotch. He groaned and bit at her neck as she scratched her nails down his back and then slipped her hands into his back pockets pulling him tightly against her arching her neck back as he kissed along her throat.

Just then there was a knock at the door from the next room. Nick stopped for a moment turning slightly. He turned back to her “Maybe they’ll just leave?” He postulated.

Alyssa nodded and pulled his head back down to her lips with one hand as he slid his hands underneath her camisole to the sides of her breasts rubbing his thumbs over her already erect nipples. Alyssa moaned softly into the kiss arching her back against him pushing their hips even harder together. She grinned feeling him harden even more beneath the denim of his jeans. The knock persisted growing louder and more impatient. They both stopped rolling their eyes and groaning in frustration. Nick reluctantly got up going to the door in the next room opening it as he was pulling on his shirt leaving the buttons undone. He rolled his eyes seeing Howie standing there.

“Hey man you coming to breakfast?” He asked with a polite grin. Nick grunted in disappointment remembering the morning meeting they had all planned on.

“Yeah sure, I’ll be down in a minute.” He said hoping to buy enough time for a quickie with Alyssa. He didn’t know what exactly had come over him but since her surprise the day before all he could think about was the next time he could be alone with her. True he’d spent the entire day/night before with her but he couldn’t help it something in the last 24 hours snapped inside of him and suddenly even something as simple as breakfast with his band mates was completely unappealing.

“Nah it’s ok I can wait and go down with you.”

Alyssa stood near the couch having followed him for a moment, “Nick are you coming back to bed?” She asked keeping her voice light and flirty hoping he’d dismiss whomever had shown up to disturb their time together.

Howie made a shocked face looking at Nick, “What the fuck man you have a girl with you?” He said charging in. “What the hell would Alyssa think?!” He asked incredulously then looked to the couch seeing Alyssa standing there in a camisole and skin tight exercise capris that came just below her belly button.

“Hi Howard.” She grinned. She thought it was cute that Howie was so concerned that Nick wasn’t cheating on her. It said a lot about his character and their friendship on the whole.

Howie bid her good morning and turned to Nick. “You have twenty minutes, make it quick.” He said as he left the room.

Nick and Alyssa looked at each other, “Did he just give us an opening?” She asked with a devious smirk.

“I’m thinking he did…Think we have enough time?” He asked his right eyebrow twitching suggestively.

Alyssa moved over to him wrapping her arms around his neck grinning. “Enough for a pretty hot quickie…Race ya?” She grinned and took off running to the bedroom with Nick not far behind her.

That evening…

“I’m glad you’re back.” Kellie admitted with an impish grin.

Alyssa grinned back and hugged her best friend. The rest of the day before was spent in solitude, well almost solitude, she mused to herself. The entire day before Alyssa and Nick had spent in bed just being together, sexually and just in each other’s presence. She’d been more than happy to just get room service for the evening and spend it in bed. However the guys were expected to be out and about for the days and nights leading up to the album dropping. She knew it was to keep up appearances that they band was indeed celebrating the new album and keeping their names in the papers at the same time was almost like free publicity. “I’m really glad I’m back too. I missed everyone.”

“Yeah we missed you too!” Leigh said with a warm grin. “Especially loverboy over there, he was all moody and depressed.” She chided making Nick blush.

“Aww…” She giggled smiling at Nick. “You missssseeeeedddd me?” She teased resting her head on his shoulder.

Nick rolled his eyes and laughed, “Shut up.” He retorted his cheeks flushing red.

“Oh don’t get embarrassed you know it’s true. He was completely useless honey.” Brian added as he perused his menu. The waiter came up a few moments later taking everyone’s order.

Alyssa turned to Kellie and asked, “So how are you feeling? Not much morning sickness?”

Kellie smirked, “Actually it’s not too bad, the little one has been making my chest sore as hell though. Only upside to that is that Alex gets to cop a feel to make me feel better.” She said quietly as Alyssa giggled.

“Yeah I’m sure he minds…” She scoffed with a grin.

“I think the best part of all of this is he stopped smoking. Like he’s really trying to be a good dad even before the kid gets here. Reminds me of how Nick was trying to be with you.” She said simply with a grin.

Alyssa nodded, “Both of them are going to be amazing fathers.” She replied patting Kellie’s leg. “Just if you need anything advice and whatnot I did a lot of reading when I was pregnant and I can help if you need advice or someone to teach you pregnancy yoga.”

“Ohh I’ll have to take you up on that offer.” She said with a wide grin then Alyssa turned her glance to Nick. She noticed a definite change in Alyssa’s demeanor especially with all the talk surrounding Kellie’s pregnancy. There was a also an even bigger change in how Alyssa spoke of her pregnancy. She no longer had a sad face when talking about it nor did she have a pained look in her eyes. It gave Kellie a good feeling that her best friend seemed more and more at ease than ever before. She looked to Nick and Alyssa seeing how he took her hand in his lacing their fingers exchanging adoring looks and soft spoken secrets. Kellie smirked to herself at her best friends. AJ squeezed her hand getting her to turn her attention to him.

“You alright?” He asked grinning at her. He knew that she worried a lot about her best friend’s relationship and wanted nothing but the best for them but at the same time he didn’t want her to get too stressed out.

She grinned and kissed him softly, “Yeah I think for the first time in a long while things are really great.” She said confidently leaning her forehead to his.





If you read please take a moment to review! Thanks so much!

End Notes:
Thanks to everyone who took a look at various scenes in this chapter it's much appreciated!
Chapter 16: Fan-Damonium by Teri
Author's Notes:
So I've been a teency bit absent from here huh? Well my lovely readers I sincerely apologize, I was horridly burnt out on various different things, neither of which have to do with writing but I just needed a break. So it's been a little over a month and I decided to finally get off my butt and give you some reading material. I really and truly appreciate your patience and loyalty during my little hiatus but I am back now and updates should become more and more regular. Thanks so much all of you for all of your support throughout this series of mine which has won best series from the Never Gone awards thanks to the many votes of my awesome readers! I definitely look forward to hearing more from you all as time rolls on and all your reviews/support and everything are so very much appreciated!

Chapter Sixteen: Fan-Damonium

Alyssa giggled a little as she watched the boys walk out onto the sound stage at TRL. Kellie, Alyssa, Leighanne and Leigh all sat in the green room hearing the faint screams from the soundstage just down the hall as well as hearing them on the television monitors in the room. "You're like a teeny..." Kellie remarked seeing Alyssa's happy almost giddy demeanor at watching her fiancé goof around on the screen.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and elbowed her friend in the arm. "I'm happy for them. It's exciting that they're still this big to be on TRL."

"Only because TRL owes their very existence to the boys. Without them and Britney, Carson Daly would still be a nobody DJ with KROQ." Kellie reasoned.

"Yeah but he'd still be a total tool." Alyssa retorted making the girls giggle.

"So are we all going dress shopping after the Virgin store signing?" Leigh asked with an expectant grin. She loved hanging out with all the girls especially now with Kellie and Alyssa there all the time. It made sense that all the girls got along for the most part. Leighanne and Alyssa discussed things about Baylee. Leigh and Alyssa discussed business and hanging out with their men. Leighanne and Kellie talked fashion and of course Kellie and Alyssa were the closest of all hanging out the most out of the four girls.

Alyssa nodded, "I really want to get navy blue or black cocktail dress, something classy that would easily go with what Nick's going to wear but not look like we're trying to match each other."

"So things with you two I'm assuming are going better?" Leighanne asked with a grin.

Alyssa sighed and nodded happily, "Yeah it's been really good. Therapy has really helped us out a lot. I appreciate him so much more now than I ever have."

"How's the sex been?" Leigh asked with a grin.

Kellie snorted, "She doesn't talk about it anymore, I miss the girl trash talking sessions we used to have Alyssa." She retorted grinning.

Alyssa shrugged, "Yeah I'm not gonna apologize though. It's just I don't feel the need to impress you guys with my sexual escapades with him. I mean it's always been great the sex between us, but it's just got a whole new level to it now, we're really in tune with each other and I'm just really happy. And I can focus less on my own demons and really connect with Nick again."

The girls grinned and Kellie sat back placing her hand on her lower stomach. "You know you're going to make an amazing mom someday." She said earnestly.

Alyssa grinned a little and sighed, "Yeah I hope so. In the meantime I think I'm just going to help you get ready to become one yourself." She replied.

"You'll love being a mom, it's hard sometimes but it's worth it." Leighanne added simply.

Kellie shrugged, "I know it's just weird because Alex and I aren't married and I just don't want anyone to think that this little one is unwanted just because it was unplanned."

Alyssa patted her leg, "Just love the lil one that's all you have to do to prove you want the baby. I mean it's not like you're going to hate him or her just because it happened."

"Oh I know I just don't want them thinking that we were being irresponsible. We really want to have kids just kinda came a little sooner than expected."

"Well there you go I think you have plenty of time before you have to explain the where did I come from conversation."

"So when are you and Nick going to try again?" Kellie asked with a snarky grin. She definitely would love to see Alyssa get pregnant sooner rather than later. She definitely knew that Alyssa and Nick had been through a rough year, and maybe trying again would make up for their loss.

Alyssa shook her head and sighed, "I don't think it's time right now. When we do try again I'm gonna take a lot of time off work and right now with the album and the tour...It just doesn't seem for Nick and I at least, like a really good time to try again. And it's still a little too soon."

Kellie nodded, "Yeah I just am really happy to see you two happy again. After this year from hell and all."

Alyssa grinned at her, "Yeah it was quite a year but that which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger right?" Alyssa lost herself in her own thoughts for a few moments only to be jarred from them when the boys walked back into the room. "Done already?" She asked a little shocked that the hour had already passed by.

Nick grinned and took her hand helping her stand up. "Yeah we've got the signing at Virgin now then you girls are going off to shop right?"

Alyssa nodded as they walked out of the MTV studios her arm around his waist and his hand in her back pocket. They went out the back entry way seeing some fans gathered outside the garage waiting for an autograph. Nick broke away leaving Alyssa to stand with Kellie grinning and waving to some of the fans. "Alyssa, Kellie can we have your autographs?" A couple of fans asked. Alyssa grinned graciously and signed what they asked her to. "You girls all bought the album right?" She asked with an amused grin.

"Yes we love it!" A fan nearly shrieked.

"Good, we love it too." Kellie remarked with a grin. "You girls don't catch a cold out here okay? It's kinda chilly out." She added.

Alyssa grinned at her as she spoke with another fan. Nick watched her for a few moments grinning at how easily she talked to the fans and how graciously she accepted their compliments and praise as well as fielding their questions. He moved closer in putting a finger to his mouth as the fans looked up seeing him standing there behind her. Without warning he wrapped his arms around her waist making her jump out of her skin at the sudden contact. She turned slightly and grinned. "You jerk!" She giggled.

"Oh did I scare you?" He asked with a cheeky grin. She rolled her eyes chuckling at him he leaned in brushing his lips to hers not even caring that he was doing so in front of a throng of fans snapping pictures rapidly. He brushed his fingertips on her jaw line as she closed her eyes getting lost in the kiss for a moment. He broke it just a few moments later kissing her forehead, "Come on we gotta go." He said turning to leave.

"Now that boy can kiss." Alyssa sighed with a happy grin and waved goodbye to the fans as she took his hand leading her over to the van to drive them across the street to the store so they wouldn't get mobbed on the way.

Once inside the store the girls stood off to the side watching the guys sign endless amounts of autographs give hugs and have quick 15 second conversations with the large line of fans all awaiting to get a quick glimpse of the one of their favorite groups.

Later that afternoon...

Alyssa stepped out of the dressing room just in time as Kellie did as well. Kellie was wearing a simple black halter slip dress with an empire waist that accentuated her growing baby bump. She looked in the mirror grinning as she twirled a little. Alyssa grinned and walked over as well in the very form fitting navy blue shutter dress that had a plunging neckline and the back was almost completely out dipping all the way down to the small of her back showing off her tattoo there. "I think I found the dress..." She said checking out her figure in the mirror.

Kellie grinned and looked her over, "Nick's gonna flip out when he sees you in that."

"That's the point a tight little cocktail dress to get him going when he can't have me for most of the night. I'm being a tease and he loves it." She explained making Kellie giggle at her.

"I'm glad we split off from Leigh and Leighanne, it seems like I never really get to talk to you without them around lately." Kellie remarked. "Don't get me wrong I adore them and all just I like just hanging out with my best friend you know?" Kellie added.

Alyssa grinned and hugged her best friend. "Hey it's okay. Sometimes the girls can be a little much. I miss Kristin she was always the go between. Anytime I wouldn't necessarily agree with Leighanne she'd step in and just diffuse it."

"Yeah she always seemed like a great person. I just feel bad I didn't really get to know her when she was around."

"Oh there's still time for that, we'll see her at Howie's wedding and of course at Nick's birthday party and our wedding whenever we do decide to set a date." She remarked with a lopsided grin. They both walked back into the dressing rooms getting changed and went over and made their purchases. "So all we need is shoes and jewelry."

"Yep and then lunch afterwards right?"

"Oh yeah...and then we're meeting back up with Leighanne and Leigh at Leigh and Howie's room to get all girl-ed out for the party tonight."

"Ooh. That is always fun."

Alyssa giggled, "I figured you'd say that, considering you're miss girly girl of the century."

"Ugh I totally resent that hello I did play soccer for the longest time!"

"Yeah but you don't anymore."

"Because I graduated in the summer dumbass I walk in December. Hence no soccer this season because I'm not an enrolled student." She explained.

"Yeah I know, it's been crazy to think that it's been 3 years since I graduated with my masters. Let alone 3 years that Nick and I have been dating."

"Yeah Alex and I are just a little over a year now. He helped me in so many ways with getting over Aaron and just moving on with my life."

After lunch the girls all congregated in Howie and Leigh's suite getting manicures and pedicures, their hair styled and cut. "This is crazy you know." Leigh began sighing a little. "They're the ones releasing an album and we're here getting spoiled."

Alyssa giggled at her, "Well yeah I think we owe it to ourselves to look fantastic tonight. They've worked their asses off for over a year on this album I think it's our chance to repay them of sorts by letting them show up with the hottest chicks in town."

"Wait I didn't know Heidi Klum was in town." Kellie chided reminding her of Nick's crush on the supermodel.

"No but he's totally getting some tonight." Alyssa shot back as the others laughed at her. "What I'm happy with my sex life."

"Yeah I know and it's really good to see the shift in you. Months ago you were complaining how you two never did it anymore and now it's like ooh sex!"

Alyssa grinned, "Well we're connecting on this whole new level like I was saying earlier today. It's been really difficult for me to open up that way. I mean Kel you remember back when he and I were just friends and how I was like no he'd never see me like this."

"Yeah and do you also remember me calling you an idiot for thinking that?" Kellie retorted.

"But anyways it's just I don't know maybe it's because he's more confident in how he looks that makes me feel like I can be more comfortable with his body. I don't know but whatever it is I don't want it to go away. Anyways speaking of getting comfortable. What's your stance on helping out your guy's siblings?"

"Ew like sexually?" Kellie said wrinkling her nose thinking of AJ's step sister.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, "No I mean just being a good friend to them and helping them out if they need it."

"Why do you ask?"

"Well uh, I don't know if you want to know this Kel but Aaron's really going through a rough time right now. And well I want to tell Nick hell Angel showed up last week out of the blue to talk to me about it." She said remembering the conversation from the other day.

"It's about Aaron." Angel said simply as they sat on the couch. Alyssa gave her a concerned look and motioned for her to continue. "Well he and Kaci broke up. He's taking it really hard."

"How so? Worse than he did with Kellie?"

"Yeah way worse. He's been partying a lot more, hell he's been in two car accidents yeah they were fender benders but still he was drunk when they happened. At least the cops didn't get involved that's just what we need now Aaron going to jail for underage drinking." She said quickly rambling on.

Alyssa listened intently, "Does Nick know?"

"He does but he says he's talked to him but it's just not working hell I can't even get through to Aaron anymore and that's saying a lot." Alyssa took it all in wondering exactly what she could do to help him. "I was thinking you know that with your history and being in therapy and all you'd be able to help him to show him that his behavior isn't good or healthy."

Alyssa nodded, "Let me talk to Nick about it and I'll see what I can do. I don't know if I'll be much help if any at all but I will try no matter what."

"Thank you Ali. I knew coming to you would be a good idea. I mean Nick's an awesome brother but he can only do so much with being away lately. I'm really glad Nick has you, that we all have you."

She grinned. "Well don't thank me just yet I still have to talk this over with Nick first I don't want to fuck anything up between him and Aaron but I will try my best to get through to him."


"Wow so do you think it's serious?"

"Well yeah I mean it's not everyday that Angel just shows up out of the blue like that. I mean you dated him so you knew her pretty well too." She said reminding Kellie that in dating Aaron she had gained a friend in Angel. However that seemed to go away after they had met their untimely demise as a couple. "And it's just I don't know how to broach the subject with Nick it seems like he should take control of the situation since its his brother. But he's going to be my brother-in-law so I think that I should at least try. I just don't want to overstep my bounds."

"Well think about it this way. You were there for them during the shooting of the show. All that's different now is just that the cameras aren't around and that you two aren't living with the sibs. Just you know be a sister to him. Do what Nick would do just in your style. I'm sure Nick would lecture the fuck out of him otherwise. Maybe he just needs a friend to relate to." Kellie replied with a grin. She still did honestly care for Aaron even though the feelings had since cooled from romantically inclined to just concern for him in general as a member of Nick's family.

That night...

"Wow..." Nick mouthed as Alyssa walked into the lobby with a big grin on her face decked out in the cocktail dress she'd picked out earlier, navy blue satin peep toed Manolos and a simple diamond drop necklace bangle bracelet and matching diamond encrusted hoop earrings.

"What do you think?" She asked giving a little twirl her wavy dark chocolate colored hair. She watched her smoky blue eye shadow dusted eyes as his drug over her in his silent appraisal of her clothing and simply grinned and pressed his lips to hers. "So you like it I'm assuming?" She asked as her hand that held a small blue clutch graced his blazer covered forearm. Nick took her other hand lacing their fingers as he lead her out to the van that was taking them all to the club where the party was being held. Once they arrived and walked the red carpet that had been set up for the various celebrities that came looking for a good time, they went up to the VIP area that held a lounge, private bar and dance floor complete with a separate DJ that was playing mostly artists from the Jive label since it was a record company event.

Nick and Alyssa broke apart as Nick had to do his obligatory mingling. He hated having to leave her but he knew his role as part of the Jive family included the rounds of brown nosing the big wigs and laughing it up over trivial things like which yacht to by next. Alyssa sat with the other girls making commentary on what other women wore and giggling silently about it as they people watched. Alyssa and Kellie went out to dance a little getting annoyed by guys rubbing up on them. "What do you want from the bar? Water or soda?" She asked Kellie as she sat down just as AJ was coming up to sit with her.

"Water sounds awesome." Kellie replied. Alyssa grinned and made her way over to the bar waiting for the bar tender to head over her way. She ordered the drinks getting the bottle of water first then waited for her vodka martini.

"So what's a gorgeous woman like you doing all alone at the bar?" She heard a male voice say from behind her.

Fully ready to unleash a full on tongue lashing for such a horrid pick up line she turned and then lost her nerve at seeing the familiar face. "Hi..." She said dumbly a bit star struck.

"Hi I'm JC you are?" He asked with a confident grin holding out his hand for her to take.

"Alyssa." She replied shaking his hand firmly.

"Nice to meet you Alyssa, so you didn't answer my question. What are you doing all alone do you not have a date?" He said flirting shamelessly.

Alyssa chuckled, "Yeah I have a date he's off mingling at the moment."

"His loss is my gain then." He replied arching an eyebrow at her.

Alyssa laughed at him slightly finding it hilarious that she found herself in this situation. "Wow it's not every day I find myself being hit on by my favorite member of Nsync." She said with a snarky grin.

His eyes lit up at the statement chuckling at her brazen honesty. "Favorite eh? So I'm taking it not a big Justin fan then?"

Alyssa giggled a little rolling her eyes, "Oh please I've seen poodles that are cuter than him."

JC laughed heartily at the joke, "Okay so what about Lance, Chris or Joey?" He remarked keeping up with the little cat and mouse game.

"Well Chris just well scares me with the pineapple hair do he had back in the day. Joey was always kinda more like the Jersey goomba looking guy of the group and I grew up in an Italian family definitely not a turn on there. And Lance? Ha, come on we all knew he really didn't like girls we always used to say ‘oh shut up Lance you're gay anyways!'" She explained.

"Oh so I win by default?"

"Yeah pretty much." She retorted with a grin. Unbeknownst to them Nick was watching from just about 25 feet away. He noticed JC's flirtatious body language and how Alyssa seemed immune to his charms laughing off his come ons.

He began walking over hearing their conversation, "So really where's your date?"

"Right here." Nick said from behind Alyssa wrapping his arms around her waist from behind.

JC looked up and grinned. "Oh so this is the fiancé?" He asked Nick. Apparently during his time recording with JC on a few tracks that only one made the album he'd mentioned her a few times.

Nick smiled as Alyssa placed her left hand on the hand that graced her abdomen. "Yep this is the one." He said proudly.

JC got the hint and bid them farewell and good luck on their impending nuptials they had still to set a date for. Alyssa turned to him with a large grin. "Way to be territorial baby." She remarked.

"Yeah well I don't like other guys trying to get my woman."

"But you know it'll never happen again that whole thing was a mistake."

"I know and I trust you, it's them I don't trust. But I love you enough not to make a jealous scene."

"Like you used to with Paris?"

Nick rolled his eyes and kissed her. "Well as long as you don't give a guy you used to date a lap dance right in front of me I think we'll be okay." He said referring to the time Paris had done the exact action he described.

Alyssa grinned and kissed him. "I'd never."

"I know." He replied with a confident grin. Alyssa broke away for a moment going into the ladies room checking her makeup. She got a wicked idea as she glanced at her reflection in the mirror. She jumped into one of the stalls and shimmied off her thong balling it up in her hand. She walked out into the club going right over to Nick who was chatting up a few producers here and there. She pulled him to the side for a moment excusing him graciously from his conversations and placed the small silky material into his hand and kissed his neck just below his ear.

She leaned up and whispered seductively "I'm going to make you come so hard later..." His eyes widened at her comment as she walked away leaving him to ponder her statement. He glanced down at his hand his eyes widening at the skimpy garment. He stuffed it into his pocket and looked around trying to find her. He finally zeroed in on her sitting with the other girls giggling at a joke Leigh had told.

"Hey where are you going?" Howie asked as Nick was going to make his way over to the girls.

Nick sighed, "I'm kinda tired I was hoping to get out of here."

Howie rolled his eyes and followed where Nick had been looking. "Oh yeah I'm sure you're tired, horndog."

Nick looked back over to Alyssa who was sitting rather lady-like with one leg crossed over the other, her back straight and a martini glass in one hand and the other patting Kellie on her knee as she told a story animatedly using her hands to illustrate things as she normally did. She took a drink of her martini then set it down to finish the story. He turned back to Howie and gave him a pitiful look. "Oh come on like you don't want to leave early with Leigh?"

Howie chuckled and patted his friend on his back, "Of course I do but I don't mean to go all Kevin on you but you have obligations to be here."

"Oh come on..." He said with disdain. "Record company parties suck!"

"Yeah I know but we all gotta be here you two will be able to be alone eventually." He said as he saw Alyssa heading over.

"Harassing my man again Howard?" She asked playfully putting her around Nick's arm and letting her hand travel down his inner forearm to his hand lacing their fingers.

Howie chuckled, "Oh just explaining that he has certain obligations to fulfill before he goes back to the hotel." He explained.

Alyssa grinned and kissed Nick on the cheek. "No worries I'll make sure he does his job." She explained politely.

Later on...

Alyssa and Nick walked quickly through the lobby of the hotel over to the elevators. Nick tapped his foot impatiently trying to maintain some level of decency in the crowded lobby when really all he wanted to do was pull her over to the concierge desk and violate her several times over. When the elevator door finally slid open they both walked inside pressing the button for their floor. As soon as the doors closed Nick pushed Alyssa pushed Alyssa up against one of the mirrored walls claiming her mouth against his in a heated kiss. His hand immediately buried in her hair as their tongues dueled playfully as his other hand pinned her to the wall at her side. Alyssa wrapped one leg around his holding him closer as she scratched her nails over his scalp gently. The elevator came to an abrupt stop and the two of them reluctantly pulled apart seeing a few girls get on the looked like they were all in college. Their eyes widened when they saw Nick and Alyssa standing there their hands connected, clothes and hair mussed just slightly from their earlier makeout session.

Alyssa giggled to herself as Nick pulled her in front of him wrapping his arms around her waist wanting just a little bit more closeness but at the same time to hide his raging hard on from the gawking fans. He made small talk with them talking about the party and playing nice for the time being. Alyssa looked over her shoulder at him grinning adoringly yet inwardly smirking at the hardness she felt against her backside.

"So was the party great?" One fan asked.

"It was a blast." Alyssa replied. "We always have fun at parties right baby?" She asked with a grin.

Nick jarred out of his thoughts and nodded, "Yeah we always do." He said just going along with whatever she had said. He was too busy counting down the seconds until he could have her all to himself again. The conversation lulled a bit and Nick kissed her shoulder and silently thanked God when the doors finally dinged signifying that they'd reached their floor.

"Have a good night girls." Alyssa said with a devilish smirk as they walked down the hall to their suite going inside a moment later leaving the girls to look at each other in shock. Nick placed the do not disturb sign on the door locking it as he closed it tightly. Alyssa moved over into the bedroom leaving her shoes then her thigh highs and bra as a trail along the way. He smirked at how she could remove much of her clothing yet still leaving on her dress. He took off his jacket kicking off his shoes as well as his socks and untucking his shirt from his dress slacks and removing his belt as he walked into the bedroom. He saw her standing in front of the mirror taking off the bracelet and earrings along with the necklace she'd been wearing. She turned to look over her shoulder at him and grinned. "Unzip me?" She asked bringing his hands around to the front of her where the zipper was hidden between the seams of fabric. Nick swallowed hard and unzipped the dress slowly as she turned her head and kissed along his neck leaning her head onto his shoulder.

She brought her hands to cover his as he drug the zipper down over her abdomen. She shrugged the material off of her body and turned pulling him to the side kissing him slowly as his hands searched out her body touching everywhere at once. Alyssa grinned as he kissed her neck and glanced at the mirror catching their reflection. She pushed him against the dresser and wrapped the tie around her hand and pulled him back towards the bed laying herself down on it and bringing him with her. He kissed her mouth then along her jaw biting it gently. She groaned and reached her hands to his slacks unzipping the fly not even bothering to unbutton it and slipped her hand inside grasping him gently. She grinned as she felt him moan against her neck the vibration tickling her pulse point that his tongue was currently circling.

Feeling constrained by his clothes he kneeled on the bed. Alyssa moved with him helping him with his shirt unbuttoning it quickly as he loosened his tie just enough to slip up and over his head as she slipped off his . Alyssa took the opportunity and flipped him onto his back unbuttoning and pulling off his slacks. She pushed him back against the headboard piling up pillows behind him sitting him up so that the mirror that was on the low dresser across from the bed let them both have a birds eye view of everything.

Alyssa smirked and turned her back to him letting him enter her deeply. The both let out a mutual sigh of pleasure as he wrapped his arms around her waist. Alyssa met his eyes in the mirror and shook her head. She took his hands and placed them on her hips as she leaned forward wrapping her hands around his calves as she began lightly bouncing over him. He ran his fingers over her spine groaning as he felt her fingers grip his calves. A few moments later Nick gathered her hair in his hand and yanked her head back pulling her to sit back against him. She yelped at the suddenness of the move and leaned back. "You know...if you wanted me to move you could have just said something." She said in between breaths as she continued to ride him. He chuckled and bit along her neck then pushed her away from him. "What the fuck?" She asked she felt him leave her body.

He moved his knees on the outside of hers and sat back on his heels allowing him to entered her once more both of them kneeling on the bed. He moved one hand to her abdomen the other dipping between her thighs to tease across her ever so lightly as she continued to move on him faster and harder both of them crying out at the snugger fit. "Harder..." He pleaded with her feeling both their orgasms not far off.

Alyssa smirked and swiveled her hips in a circle then switched to a figure eight motion that brought them both to a near heart stopping release. Completely exhausted they both fell over to the side his cock still buried deep within her as they both began to slowly catch their breaths. "Holy fuck..." Alyssa said breathlessly.

A few moments later there was a sharp knock at the door. "Oh God do they never leave us alone?" He asked exasperatedly. Alyssa shrugged and pulled away they both groaned he left her body. "Where are you going?"

"Shower get rid of em and join me?" She said wiggling her eye brows suggestively at him then got up walking into the bathroom stark naked.

He laid on his back for a moment hearing the knocking yet again. He rolled his eyes and took the comforter off the bed wrapping it around his waist. He looked out the peep hole seeing Brian standing there looking at his watch. Nick swung open the door and Brian looked scandalized. "Oh shut up too bad you're not a fan wouldn't it be awesome to see this on page six tomorrow?" He mused with a shit-eating grin.

"Oh Christ you got laid."

Nick snorted, "Well thank you Captain McDuh. Since when do you take the Lord's name in vain Mr. I have a Christian Album."

Brian rolled his eyes knowing that nothing was going to kill Nick's good mood. "Uh well I was just stopping by to let you know about the breakfast meeting tomorrow."

"No thanks I'm getting room service..." He smirked back.

"Yeah...does this service involve trays of any kind?"

"Nope night B." He said shutting the door on him. He dropped the comforter by the bed and ran to the bathroom being hit with the steam from the shower. He ducked into the shower closing the door seeing Alyssa turn while standing under the spray her back to him. He came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Who was that?" She asked leaning her head to the side letting him kiss along her neck.

"Just Brian, nothing important. Now...where were we?" He asked turning her to him. She grinned and leaned up pressing her mouth to his in a heated kiss as he backed her up against the cold tile of the shower wall.


 

 

Thank you so much for reading!

End Notes:
A special thank you to Mel for stepping in and kicking my ass back into gear I owe you hon!
Chapter 17: To The Edge Of The Earth by Teri
Author's Notes:
Hey all I'm back again with another chapter! Been busy with work, getting ready for school that starts monday and all that. I thought I'd post another chapter hehe. I'm currently working on chapter 20 which will definitely be interesting to say the least lol. Anywhoo thank you all for reading and reviewing! I hope to be able to reply to all of those reviews tonight after work. But once again thank you so much! Here's chapter 17 for your reading enjoyment!


Chapter Seventeen: To The Edge Of The Earth

Alyssa walked briskly down the hall stopping in front of the door that separated the hallway and Aaron's condo. She went to knock on the oak door but her hand hesitated. She didn't know if she was doing the right thing in going straight to him with it. Trying to create a better bond between them and as a result help him through the tough times he'd been facing as of late. She did remember her conversation with Nick the previous day. Much to her earlier preconceived notions he was rather receptive to the idea...so much so that his words were what compelled her to be standing there just after she'd dropped Nick off at the airport for his short promotional tour with the guys. She closed her eyes waiting for just a moment more remembering that conversation from the day before.

Alyssa chewed her bottom lip as she peeked over the top of the bridal magazine she'd been reading to see where Nick's attention was at the current moment. She sighed and closed the magazine setting it on the coffee table. "You know I've been thinking..." She said randomly.

Nick looked up from his laptop with a grin, "About what?" He asked then turned his attention back to the screen working on something for his record label and other business ventures.

"Uh well before I came out to see you..."

"Yeah." He added not looking up from his laptop.

Alyssa took a breath and got up going over to sit next to him. She placed her hand on his wrist. "It's really important." She said simply. Nick relented and saved his documents and closed his laptop.

He set it aside and turned to her wondering what exactly was on her mind. "What's on your mind baby?" He asked giving her his full attention.

"It's about your brother."

Nick arched one eyebrow at her and scratched his forehead in confusion. "Uh okay what about him?" He knew that his brother was going through a lot with the show having ended, and of course Kaci and his break up but he didn't think there was much more to that.

"Angel came to me right before I came to see you. She told me she's really worried about Aaron and him possibly going down the same road Alex did. And I just wanted to talk to you about it and get what your take is."

"Why do you need my opinion?" He asked earnestly.

"Because you're his older brother, and really I want you to be okay with it if I go and talk to him. Just to be there for him. He needs people around him and when you and I broke up he was really there for me. And while you're leaving tomorrow for that promotion thing in Europe you have going on...I really would like to talk with him, really get down to what's bothering him and just become a sister to him, a positive influence in his life. I mean he has you and Angel and the other siblings but maybe he needs someone else too to help him see what he's doing is really not helping him at all. Someone who's been in even darker places than he's in."

Nick chewed on his lower lip for a moment and took her hand in his. "Then if you feel it'll help him. Then do it. I trust you with him. I think it'll be amazing for you two to get closer. Is that all you wanted to talk about?"

"Yeah I wasn't sure if you'd be okay with it."

"Well they're your family too."


She took a breath nodding along with her thoughts. If she was going to marry Nick, she was going to literally become a sister to all of Nick's siblings. Whether she was ready to admit that or not she was already a major part of Nick's family. She rapped hard on the door hoping that if he were asleep the racket would awaken him. She looked around as she waited hearing footsteps come toward the door. When it opened a petite blonde with a rather impressive body stood there in what looked like Aaron's boxers and a white muscle shirt. "Uh who are you?" She asked with disdain.

Alyssa snickered and pushed past her into the condo. "Aaron Charles get your scrawny ass down here right now!" She said sternly.

After a few moments and a whispered ‘fuck' from the loft like bedroom upstairs Aaron came down wearing basketball shorts and an oversized tee shirt. "Alyssa...what a pleasant wakeup call." He said sarcastically.

"Dismiss the hoochie we've gotta talk." She commanded. Aaron rolled his eyes and bid goodbye to what seemed to be his groupie of the moment. She looked straight out of what Nick would have bedded back on his solo tour. The girl changed her clothes and left giving Aaron a kiss goodbye. Alyssa snorted as he came back and sat on the couch across from her. She looked around seeing the various beer cans and liquor bottles, boxes of pizza stacked on top of one another. She wrinkled her nose in disgust at the filth at which he was living in. "You do realize that if a cop came in here and saw how many open bottles and cans of alcohol in here he would arrest you on sight?" She asked incredulously.

"Eh so what?" He replied.

Alyssa took a deep breath and stood up. "Get up and get showered, we're cleaning this place and then we're going to talk."

"Excuse me? Who died and made you Nick?"

Alyssa shot him a glare warning him to not even try to put up a fight. "I'm serious Aaron, all your siblings are worried about you. Hell Angel came to talk to me purposely because she's worried sick about you. Now move and get showered we're spending the day cleaning." She said pulling him by his shirt and pushing him towards the stairs.

Meanwhile...


Nick sat in first class clicking away on his laptop doing something anything to idle away his time on the flight. He thought of sleeping at first but the thought of sleeping on a plane for 20 hours was not something he especially wanted. He wished Alyssa was there with him, now that he was doing some promotion in Asia for two weeks then back to Europe, traveling without her was enough of a headache for him to begin with.

He knew that she had some things to take care of as far as her education and with her students as well. What he also knew that she'd only be separated from him for just a few short days enough for her to meet with Lindsay, who Alyssa decided to promote to her RA because she had become such a great help to her with her research. He looked across the aisle seeing Brian and Leighanne with Baylee between them who was eagerly reading a book. He went back to his computer composing an email for Alyssa to find once she got a moment to check her mail.

While he was typing away Kellie came over and plopped down next to him. "Hey you." She started jarring him from his concentration.

He gave her a lopsided grin and replied, "Hey Kel, excited about Japan?"

"Hell yeah! I've wanted to go ever since Ali was gushing about it on your solo tour." She beamed making him chuckle at her.

"Well if you're lucky Ali will be back just in time to go sight seeing with you."

"What is my best friend doing anyways?" She asked resting back into the chair comfortably.

Nick shrugged, "Stuff for work and school and kicking my brother's ass apparently."

"Oh good she talked to you then. She asked me and the other girls for advice on how to bring it up to you she definitely didn't want to seem like she was butting in on your family's private affairs."

Nick chuckled, "Glad she's going to you for advice again. Shows that you two are right back on track in your friendship. But really she shouldn't be scared of talking to Aaron she never used to be."

"Yeah but this is a different situation your sisters came to her directly knowing she'd be able to handle it. She got a little freaked not knowing if you'd be okay with her taking such a big responsibility like kicking his butt into shape."

Nick nodded and looked out the window for a moment then back to Kellie, "I wish she was here right now."

"I know but it's only like what 2 days and she'll be with you again? Or are you that co-dependent?" Kellie chided jokingly. She loved seeing the connection between Nick and Alyssa, especially when the two were separated there was always a deep sense of longing when they were apart. "I'm really happy that you two are back on track with everything you know?"

Nick shot her a sideways glance. "Worried much?"

"Oh yeah, Alex was too. He won't admit it but he's kinda envious of what you two have. Hell I am too and I'm in love myself so that's gotta be saying something right?"

Nick grinned at her, "Yeah I guess so."

Later on...

Alyssa helped Aaron carry out 6 large black bags of garbage to the dumpster behind the condominium tower where he lived. They walked back into the building and went up to his apartment in the elevator, once they reached the door she opened it and grinned at him seeing how clean and organized everything had gotten in just a few short hours. "Feel better now that your place is clean?"

Aaron sighed and plopped back down on the couch kicking his legs up on the coffee table. "Uh sure I guess."

Alyssa rolled her eyes at him and called and ordered in some pizza. "I ordered food." She added as she sat down next to him on the couch.

Aaron turned to her for a moment, "Why in the fuck are you being so nice to me all of a sudden?"

"Aaron I've always been nice to you. Just certain times like when you were staying at my house I had to let you know that you weren't acting right." She explained letting him know that the few times she had lectured him during the filming of the show was more out of tough love than any real annoyance on her part. She couldn't believe that a man of nearly 20 years of age was completely slobbish or disrespectful to his siblings.

Then again her experience has always been sort of biased. When she had hung out with Nick in his early twenties, or even her own brother, both of them were neat freaks in comparison to Aaron's way of living. It did help though that Nick had been living with a girl at the time, and Aaron seemed completely content to live the life of a bachelor at the moment.

"Okay but why are you here, shouldn't you be off continent hopping with Nick?" He asked with a moderate amount of disdain in his voice. He was envious of his brother, to have found love, a prosperous career, and yet still hadn't lost sight of what was really important.

Alyssa patted him on his knee. "I had some things to take care of and I wanted to make sure my future younger brother was doing okay. I'm the youngest in my family too you know. Granted my family is slightly smaller and less crazy but look at it this way, I think I understand a lot of where you're coming from."

"What do you mean? Your dad died, my parents divorced."

"Yeah but we both blame ourselves for both of those individual events. Am I right?" She reasoned with her eyebrows raised daring him to challenge her.

He stopped and looked at her studying her expression. "I don't..."

"Ah...don't say you don't blame yourself. You do I've even heard you admit it honey. And I'm not here to judge or to be the big know it all but I am here to help you. You ever need anything day or night I want you to call me and I'll be there to talk or even hang out if I'm in town. Don't think you're bothering me, you're not. You're family."

"You still having said why you're being so nice to me."

"Because I just went through a really tough time myself. It taught me the value of family more than anything, I'm extremely close with my family and I love them. But Nick's side of the family I'm the outsider I think sometimes. And I think getting to know you better is a good way to bring me closer to you and your siblings and most importantly your brother. You have no idea how much he cares about you guys. He would do anything for each of you and I really love that about him. He loves and would do anything for my siblings and I feel like I should do the same for you guys."

Late that night...


"So how'd it go with him?" Nick asked as he kicked back on the couch in the hotel having a few moments to himself as they were breaking to shower and then meet for lunch in about one hour.

"I think it went surprisingly well. He's opened up a little bit but I didn't expect much with the sort of things he's been dealing with. Another failed relationship, his career is kinda stagnant at the moment so it's all really just up in the air for him." She said cradling the phone against her ear with her shoulder as she slathered on lotion up and down her arms and smoothing over her elbows up the back of her arm and back down again.

"I'm glad that it's going off with a good start. I don't like to admit that I worry about my siblings sometimes I'm sorry for that. I've been worried about Aaron for what seems like forever. But I guess that's just the parental instinct in me taking over."

Alyssa grinned into the phone immediately picturing him as a father, and quite an overprotective one at that. She smiled at how calm the mere thought made her. It was the first time in a long while that the thought of being a parent or even Nick being a parent didn't make a sharp pang run through her chest. True it still hurt to think of what happened but the fiery sharp pains of devastation had dulled and cooled to disappointment and acceptance. "You're gonna be such a great dad."

"Yeah if we can get the chance I think we're gonna be pretty cool parents."

Alyssa giggled a little, "You sound like my dad. He used to say he was a cool parent. Like after summer in 2001 after he found out about my whole foray into being a pot smoker he was like ‘I was a hippie you know I had a bong'. It was endearing and he was all preachy. The best piece of advice he gave me was to never give myself over to something like that ever again, something that can eventually control and hurt me and for a while I forgot those words of wisdom."

"You miss him huh?"

Alyssa sighed a little, "Yeah but at least he's not in pain anymore. He suffered so much with all the chemo and cancer pain meds I couldn't imagine the strength he had to put up with all that."

Nick leaned back and rested his head on the armrest of the couch. "I know...but happier thoughts...how are you today?" He asked with a slight grin.

She smiled and sighed a little, "I'm really good. I miss you though. Sleeping alone sucks, I have to make Layla come up in bed with me so I can sleep."

Nick snickered at her admission, "So I'm just as good as Layla?"

"Yeah always knew you were a bitch at heart." She shot back making them both laugh. "No but really I hate sleeping without you. It's like this big ole bed's gonna swallow me whole." She said innocently. He grinned and looked at his watch trying to mentally calculate what time it was back in LA. He figured it was about... "9:45 in case you hadn't counted back that far yet." She giggled.

Nick chuckled, "How in the fuck did you know I was thinking that?"

"Long pause...indicative of you trying to think too hard." She shot back getting a long pause in response. "What, you're not the best at time differences you never have been. Do you remember when you'd call me at like 3 in the morning and it'd be like 8am wherever the fuck you were?"

"Uh...yeah...sorry. I just wanted to talk to you. But whatever so I'm assuming you're going to bed soon?"

"Yeah already relaxed for like 2 hours in the tub it was heavenly. Used a bath bomb made me feel so much better. Especially since I'd helped your pig sty of a brother, clean his apartment."

"Oh god you tackled the landfill? How long did it take you to get out?"

"Oh 4 hours." She postulated she didn't know for sure how long it took but she knew it did take at least a few hours of her time cleaning and sanitizing Aaron's place thoroughly and teaching him how to do so himself.

"Eesh. I did that once and my back was so sore." He replied feeling her pain.

"Mine was and since I don't have my fiancé to give me a back massage I was stuck with the Jacuzzi tub's jets." Nick snicker-snorted imagining what else she could have done with the jets as well. "No I didn't masturbate you sick little boy."

"Aww kill my fantasy there."

"Puh-lease my vibrator can get me off much quicker than those things probably could."

"Speak from experience?"

Alyssa rolled her eyes, "Are you trying to segue this into a phone sex conversation?"

"No, but now that you mention it..." He retorted making her snicker. "Oh come on you know you want it."

"Yeah but I can just hold out until we see each other and have mind-blowing sex then." She suggested.

Nick laughed a little at her statement loving how playfully she was dodging where he hoped the conversation was leading. "But I wanna get off." He whined slightly.

"Don't you always?" She said lowering her voice hearing him groan at the seductiveness to her tone. She giggled and playfully added, "Don't tell me you're getting hard over there."

He closed his eyes as he rubbed over himself idly. "Liss..." He said his voice low and raspy. Alyssa's breath stopped hearing the low growl to his voice she sat up straight in the bed suddenly feeling very aware that she was indeed alone. Layla was laying in the hallway just outside the door almost as if she were standing guard protecting her. She breathed slightly into the phone hearing him shift wherever he was. "Lissa...you there?" He asked stopping for a moment.

Alyssa had placed the phone down on the bed and stripped down to her bra and panties even though they were simple blue lace. She laid her self in the middle of the bed propping herself up against the pillows. "I'm back sorry just was getting comfortable."

He arched an eye brow at her comment, "How comfortable are we talking here?"

"I'm not naked if that's what you mean. Took my robe off that's all." She said and it was true she'd just taken off her silk kimono style robe that he'd gotten her years ago on a trip to Japan.

"The white silk one I got you?"

"Yep with the purple orchids all over it. I love that thing. Especially after a bubble bath."

Nick groaned in frustration as he cradled the phone against his ear with his shoulder as he unbuckled his belt and opened the front of his jeans freeing himself from the denim confines. "You're killing me with the bathtub image."

"Really?"

"Yes..." He said holding onto the base of his cock not moving trying to tease himself like she would if she were there with him. "So where are you now?"

"In our bed stretched out in the middle of it. I love our sheets especially when I sleep naked."

"You said you weren't naked yet...what do you have on?"

She grinned and settled herself back into the bed, "Blue lace bra, matching underwear." She said simply.

"Always matching huh?" He sighed a little letting his hand ease it's way up his shaft.

Alyssa grinned and let her hand drift over to her abdomen tracing the skin and how the muscles tensed as she teased herself lightly. "Always..." She chuckled lightly letting her breath get ragged as she dipped her hand beneath the lace.

Nick heard her sharp intake of breath and grinned. "Feel good?" He asked. He heard a knock at the door and he cursed under his breath, "Fuck what now?!" He asked. "Babe, hold that thought okay?"

Alyssa sighed, "Okay..." She said hearing him set the phone down and get up from his spot.

Nick grimaced and fixed his clothing quickly trying to make it less obvious how turned on he was let alone the fact that he was trying to have a little fun on the phone with his fiancée who was half the world away. He went to the door and opened it leaning on the jamb. "What?" He asked seeing AJ and Howie standing there.

"Dude come on we gotta jet." AJ said with an excited grin. Nick laughed at his excitement of doing promotion and performing.

"Can it wait like 20 minutes?" Nick asked with a hopeful look on his face. He hated the fact that he'd gotten interrupted at all but even still he wished that he had just a little bit more time. It wasn't like he didn't want to fulfill his responsibilities but he didn't exactly want to leave her hanging either.

"You're kidding me? We have to go." Howie said and headed off to the elevator. "I expect you to bring him with you Alex." He said giving Nick a stern look.

Nick rolled his eyes and sighed in disappointment. "Hold on Alex... I'll be with you in a second." He said going over to his blackberry that sat on the coffee table in front of the couch where he had been laying just a few moments beforehand. He picked it up putting it to his ear, "Hey..uh I gotta go."

Alyssa groaned, "Are you serious?"

"Yeah, I have promotion to do. Rain check?"

Alyssa moved her hand away from herself and sighed in disappointment. "Did you tell them how much of a buzz kill they're being?"

"Not yet, I will for you. Love you."

"Yeah, yeah love you too. Call me when you actually have time to finish it next time." She retorted completely frustrated with being left hanging but resigned herself to letting him go do his work before ringing off with him.

Nick closed his eyes and sighed slipping his phone into his pocket along with his wallet and hotel key. "Trouble in paradise?" AJ asked with a concerned look.

"More like interruptions suck. We were kinda in the middle of something..." He replied looking at his shoes as he walked out of the room locking it closed.

"Ooh phone sex? It's like what night time over there?"

"Yeah and sue me I miss my woman."

AJ grinned and patted his shoulder, "If Kel wasn't here I'd be doing the exact same don't worry. Howie and Brian don't always understand about that sort of thing because well they're old. Besides can you even imagine Bri and Leighanne having phone sex?"

"More like quoting the bible." Nick retorted making them both bust out in laughter. "And Howie? Probably moaning in Spanish." He added.

"Dude I'm so telling him that's hilarious." AJ said laughing as they walked into the elevator.

Meanwhile back in LA Alyssa sat up in bed and groaned out in frustration. She shrugged and got up going over into the closet grabbing one of Nick's large tee-shirts and put it on unhooking her bra and taking it off momentarily. She saw Layla trot into the room as she piled her hair on top of her head in a messy bun. "Hey you...come on bedtime." She said patting her thigh.

Layla wagged her tail and leaped up on to the bed turning in a circle for a few moments before balling herself up as she laid on Nick's side at the foot of the bed. Alyssa grinned at her and patted her head as she went around the room cleaning things up and turning off the lights. Once the room was dark except for the faint moonlight drifting in from the French doors. She climbed into bed and felt Layla snuggle up to her a little. She grinned slightly and looked up at the ceiling then to Nick's side of the bed seeing how empty it looked. She sighed and pulled his pillow to her burying her face in it as she forced herself to sleep.

The next evening...

"Thanks for driving me to the airport." Alyssa said with a grin. Aaron nodded and helped her with her bags as they went into the airport terminal.

"No problem Ali...really besides you helped me clean my place. I had to do something to say thank you." He replied giving her a tiny shove on her shoulder.

She stumbled a little and shot him a look, "Jerk." She laughed at him stopping just before the ticket counter. "Well I guess I should get in line eh?"

"Yeah I have to go in and do some recording today and a bunch of other things with Angel to take care of."

"No partying, at least no alcohol if you party okay?" She requested. He nodded and set her bags down. She set her laptop bag down and hugged him close. "You're a great guy Aaron, don't lose sight of that. And remember call me if you need anything okay. I always have time for you or your sisters." She said breaking away from him. "Now get out of here!" She giggled shooing him to go.

He laughed and waved goodbye. Just as he reached the door he turned around seeing that she had turned to the line already. "Be good to my brother!" He shouted making her turn around and grin at him.

"You know I will!" She shouted back. Alyssa turned and made her way through the line going and getting her boarding pass then headed through security off to her gate. Once there she sat down and took out her laptop opening it. She reread the letter Nick had sent her the few days before when he was just on his way over to Japan. She thought it was sweet of him to just message her when even he couldn't verbally communicate with her over the phone or in person. She checked her emails and sent a few off to her students and updated her myspace as well. After she was done she put her laptop back into her bag and grabbed her phone doing some quick texting to her sister letting her know that she was at the airport. Her phone rang a second later with an unknown number coming across her phone. "Alyssa Monroe." She said answering it quickly.

"You know I can't wait until you answer it Alyssa Carter." Nick said grinning into the phone hearing her voice.

Alyssa grinned widely, "Well then maybe I can entice you into setting a date then?" She suggested.

Nick took a breath for a moment, "How about..." He said looking through his itinerary for the Spring tour of Europe, Asia and Australia. He saw an opening of a few days between dates in Europe where they had a few days off for themselves before starting up again. He thought for a few moments thinking it would give them enough time for a wedding. "Mid May? Like say the 16th?"

"May 16th? Yeah I think we could do that, but do not tell anyone. I kinda want our wedding to be a surprise to everyone except us. Like make that our engagement party to everyone else when really it's going to be when we get married. Are you guys busy on the 15th?"

"Nope the tour ends on the 14th and then we have to be back to the tour on the 17th. I mean if you don't mind Europe being the temporary honeymoon until the tour is over."

"Okay then I'm guessing we have a date set?"

Nick smiled, "I'm guessing we do now where do we want it?"

"Hawaii gather everyone together on the 15th for a party and at midnight...we'll get married."

"Oh that actually sounds cool."

"Yeah and when we wake up the next morning for the reception, it's still our wedding day and we've already gotten the wedding night taken care of so we can just relax and party with our relatives. Best part is that I get to wear my wedding dress twice."

Nick chuckled at her enthusiasm over the subject of their wedding, "So, put much thought into this?"

"Oh yeah I've been researching it for a while I wanted us to have a fun nontraditional type of wedding that isn't crazy stressful or anything like that. I'll start calling wedding planners in LA about booking some place in Hawaii, definitely not a hotel but maybe like a bunch of beach houses and have it on the beach at night." She explained rambling off her ideas.

"Ooo beach wedding? I'm so there."

"Yeah and we can let everyone know that we're getting married on the 16th, just fib about the time frame you know instead of noon make it midnight."

Nick sighed a little completely content that they'd finally set a date for their wedding, he hadn't wanted to admit that it had been as much on his mind as on Alyssa's. He'd been wanting to make it official since long before he'd asked her the previous January and now they're going to be engaged for over a year almost a year and a half by the time they finally get around to tying the knot. "Okay so all we have to decide now is all the details right like best man, maid of honor, all that girly stuff right too right?"

"Hey don't call it girly stuff, picking out a proper tux for you is not girly stuff. Besides I was thinking something classy for our colors like ivory and plum. What do you think?"

"So like off white and purple?"

Alyssa rolled her eyes giggling at him slightly. "More like a reddish purple something that's more deeper and richer than plain old purple or maroon."

Nick thought a moment, "Well that'd be fine. Really I don't care what everything looks like as long as you're there I'm completely cool with anything."

"Ugh you're totally not going to help me are you?" She said chidingly but with a laugh.

Nick laughed, "No I want to help just you're the final decision if there's something I really don't like I'll tell you but other than that yeah I'll help."

"Planning a wedding is a lot of details I warn you. Hence why I'll call a wedding planner and get something setup for when we're back in the States again."

"That works for me, I don't want to go to work knowing you're going to be here in a few hours."

"Well it'll be a while, I should be there like late evening or early morning I can't remember the time difference is insane!"

"Yeah I'll be waiting." He said with a snarky grin as Alyssa chuckled at him in response.

The following evening...

Alyssa yawned slightly as she made her way off the plane and walking through the gates and passed security. She looked around for a few moments tapping her thin heeled boot on the tile looking for Frank, Nick and whoever else maybe there to pick her up. Ever since she got on the plane she'd wished she'd changed her clothes before Aaron had picked her up at work. The grey tweed pencil skirt and knee high boots along with a constrictive long sleeve oxford button down shirt didn't help her much to stay comfortable on the long flight. She found that even half way through she was pulling her hair up in a ponytail just to keep her hands busy. She felt familiar arms slip around her waist and she grinned turning in his embrace. "Hi..."

Nick grinned at her from underneath his skull cap and sunglasses. "You look ridiculous what are you doing?"

"I didn't want to get recognized you know how Japanese fans can be, they get all excited and I wanted to come get you myself without the fans."

She smiled and took his hand letting him lead her off to baggage claim to get her two larger bags. They stood there waiting for her flight to come up on the screen. Nick stood behind her his strong arms wrapped around her waist holding her tightly against him, and his mouth firmly attached to her neck. "Mmm lover we're in public..." Alyssa reasoned feeling her entire body become completely wired to respond to his touch.

"So?" He muttered against her skin. "I need you..." He voice roughly rasped in her ear as his lips brushed lightly along the edge of her ear lobe. Alyssa shuddered involuntarily feeling her knees slightly buckle. She grasped his hands that were folding on her waist and held her tighter to him; his already hardening cock pushing into her lower back. She breathed in and closed her eyes reveling in the feeling of his tongue sliding against the most sensitive parts of her neck. He moved his mouth back up to her ear. "You like that don't you..." He whispered against her ear. "I bet you're soaked just thinking about what I'm going to do to you when we're alone. When really if I had my way I'd violate you right here in front of everyone."

Alyssa felt a huge flutter in her stomach at his words. She took in a sharp breath. "Nick..." She breathed turning her face to him for a moment then turning away looking straight ahead trying to maintain her composure as much as she could.

"I love being able to rile you up...just like you do to me. It's not fair you can hide it and I can't..." He said pulling her in even tighter for emphasis rubbing his erection against her back.

Alyssa heard her flight called, she broke away from him letting him follow her over to the carousel helping her locate and pick up her two bags. He took both taking the duffel and throwing the handles over the plastic handle of the large roller bag. He took her hand as she grabbed her laptop bag and smaller carry-on duffel and they walked out of the airport their hands serving to be their only physical connection at least for the moment. Alyssa sighed as the balmy Tokyo evening air hit her skin. She looked to the sky seeing the last faint hints of sunlight dance across the horizon as the sun was finished setting. She couldn't believe she'd spent over 15 hours on the plane flight only to feel like it was still the same day. Granted she kept herself busy napping on the plane and playing on her laptop as well as listening to her music but it wasn't enough to quell the excitement of her arrival.

Nick led them over to the limo he'd gotten from the hotel as his ride to and from the hotel. He hadn't wanted a limousine but the hotel only offered that or a van so he took the limo hoping that maybe he could lift the visor between the driver and the back so he and Alyssa could have a few private moments on the nearly hour drive to the hotel due to the massively packed streets. The driver happily helped the couple with Alyssa's bags as Nick did as well hoping to complete the task all the sooner. Alyssa placed her laptop bag and small duffel in last letting the driver close the trunk and move to open the door for them. Alyssa got in first scooting over to the side letting him in as well. Once settled, the driver got back behind the wheel and began driving them on to the hotel.

Inside the limo Alyssa looked at him with a coy grin as he leaned over and pushed the button for the visor to go up making her giggle at him. She scooted over a little making her skirt hike up to her mid thigh and kicked her leg over his bending her knee over his thigh. She leaned in letting her hands go to his head taking off the sunglasses and skullcap he'd been wearing. She tossed them behind her and buried her hands into his messy blonde locks pulling his mouth to hers forcefully.

He swept his tongue out meeting hers massaging it roughly as his hands went in two different directions. One hand went to her ribs and moved up fondling her breast kneading it gently through the fabric of her shirt and bra. She moaned out into the kiss arching her back into his hand as his thumb moved over her nipple making her shiver in anticipation. The other hand went to her knee that was bent over his. His right hand caressed the soft skin of her thigh remembering how soft and smooth her legs always are.

At the same time she broke the kiss momentarily to look up into his darkening blue eyes. She grinned as she ran her fingertips along his scruffy unshaven jaw line. "I love you..." She sighed making him smirk and pull her with his left hand that slipped to her back and claimed her mouth in another searing kiss letting his tongue explore her willing mouth. He sucked her bottom lip into his mouth biting down ever so gently making her groan as her left hand fell from the side of his face down his neck to his chest.

Lightly she traced a trail down the center of his torso through his white graphic t-shirt to the top of his black track pants. At the same time Nick's right hand moved to the inside of her thigh tracing light circles with his fingertip as he moved his hand in-between her legs. He brushed his fingertips over her silk underwear already feeling her wetness through the less than an 1/8th of an inch of fabric. Alyssa moaned and thrusted her hips forward wanting more than just the simple touch. Nick grinned against her lips as he pushed her underwear aside and drug his fingers across her slit making her entire body tense in his arms.

However distracted the pleasure of his fingers made her she continued to move on him as well moving her hand underneath his pants and boxers and pushing them down just slightly to allow his cock to emerge from them. She wrapped her fingers gently around the base of him and slowly began moving her hand up and down over him pressing her hand tighter around the tip with every pass.

Nick groaned at the sensation of her hand wrapped so tightly around him as well as the contrast of the cool metal from her engagement ring rubbing over his engorged shaft. In retaliation plunged two long fingers inside of her wetness making her hips begin to move against his fingers that began thrusting in and out of her with rapid abandon coating his fingers with her juices. His thumb, meanwhile rubbed over her folds up to her clit pressing on it at first making her shriek against his mouth. Alyssa moved her hand faster over him feeling a light film of sweat breakout across his brow and begin to bead up and slide down his cheek. He moved his mouth down from hers to her neck sucking on the supple skin rather roughly. He felt her moans grow louder and reverberate throughout her throat.

Feeling rather devilish even more so than before he blazed a trail with his mouth down her throat and moved to her chest biting her nipples through the thin fabric making her other hand fly to his head weaving once again into the short dark blonde almost light brown hair at the back of his head. She felt his body begin to tense and his pulse race even more feeling his impending orgasm come on strong. He bit her breast hard into his mouth as he felt his release over take him covering Alyssa's fingers with the warm sticky liquid. As Nick continued his assault on her body while she eased him gently off of his high he felt her muscles in her thighs begin to twitch involuntarily and her whole body shivered with pleasure as his quickened his fingers upon her.

"Kiss me..." She breathed feeling her orgasm nearing by the second. He looked up and claimed her mouth feeling her entire body shiver and convulse as her body exploded a strangled yet thankfully muffled cry emanated from her throat into the feverish kiss as she rode out her orgasm. Nick pulled back a second later easing her off her high just as she had done for him. The both readjusted their clothing and went back to a lighter more sedate make out session as they continued on the ride to the hotel.

Before they knew it the limo pulled to a stop jarring them from their heated liplock. Alyssa smoothed her hands over her outfit just in case any fans were waiting outside the hotel. Nick grabbed his sunglasses and his skullcap shoving them into his pocket as they got out of the limo their skin still flushed from their mutual climaxes. Alyssa giggled feeling rather giddy and completely wound up with energy as the bellhop grabbed her bags and wheeled them into the hotel.

Nick waved to the fans deciding against stopping for the time being saying he'd hit them up in the morning but to make sure they all went home and got some rest first. Alyssa grinned and wrapped her arm around his waist as they walked into the posh hotel her stiletto heeled boots clickety-clacking loudly on the tile of the lobby. Nick had her bags sent up to the room first giving the bellhop a more than generous tip. Nick stopped just after that delaying them just a tad longer. He pulled her to him and kissed her gently. He broke the kiss and pressed his forehead to hers, "I love you." He stated simply and earnestly.

She grinned and laced their fingers leading them through the lobby to the elevators. He gave her an extra key to the room once inside the elevator and pressed the button to their floor. Once they reached their floor they saw the bellhop walking down the hall toward the elevator. "Thank you..." He said kindly to the bellhop who grinned and nodded his welcome. Nick pulled Alyssa's hand gently as they walked briskly to their room. He pushed her inside and closed the door by pressing her body against it attacking her neck. "Nickolas...I need you..." She whispered through a breathy sigh.

Nick pulled her body as they walked backwards not letting any space between their bodies, hands and mouths as he found his way over to the bed. He stopped just before it and broke away from her, "Get naked and I'll tell you how I want you." He said sternly.

Alyssa's eyes blazed as she smirked at him. She helped him turn down the bed and then moved to her top untucking it and unbuttoning it slowly as she began her slight striptease. He watched momentarily then began to tear at his own clothes kicking off his shoes and socks while his hand went to the back of the shirt he was wearing and lifted it up and over his head throwing it aside. Alyssa unzipped her boots letting them fall to the floor then moved her hands to her side unzipping her skirt letting it pool around her ankles. She stepped out of it as she shrugged her blouse from her shoulders the end of her ponytail swishing between her shoulder blades as she did so. Nick pulled off his track pants and climbed onto the bed kneeling. Alyssa grinned at him and pulled off her bra and panties dropping them haphazardly on the floor. She climbed onto the bed facing away from him for the moment. He shook his head and turned her around forcing her to plant her left foot behind him making her stand on one knee as he did the same bending his left on the opposite side of her. Alyssa looked and him strangely as he took her hip in one hand and positioned him at her waiting opening.

"Oh God..." She moaned loudly feeling him slip within her core. She closed her eyes and steadied herself with her hands onto his shoulders. She looked down seeing where their bodies were joined then back up to him smirking. "Interesting position..." She smirked.

He rolled his eyes and playfully smacked her ass making her body jolt in surprise. "Move with me, against me..." He commanded as they both began thrusting their hips meeting with incredible friction. Alyssa glanced down seeing his cock slide in and out of her as they thrusted together. She moaned and moved in closer needing even more contact with him. She kissed and sucked along his collarbone letting her tongue lightly tickle the sensitive skin that lay there as their bodies began to move them towards their climaxes. Alyssa felt his hand go in between them as he stimulated her clit with his fingers pinching it and then making rough and lazy circles. Alyssa felt the heat between them rise to a fevered pitch as they worked each other closer and closer. His other hand went to her thigh holding her there as they began to pick up their pace. Nick felt her walls begin to contract around him indicating that her release was closer than he though. "Fuck Alyssa I'm almost there..." He panted feeling what felt like all the blood rush down to his pelvis.

"Oh fuck Nick!" She cried out just before throwing her head back screaming in wild abandon as her second orgasm of the night bringing him with her with a long guttural howl. Moments later they collapsed to the side falling against the pillows in the bed both of them completely broke out with sweat, chests heaving from the sheer physical exertion they both experienced. Alyssa's face broke out in a large smile as she began to giggle.

Nick lifted his head feeling his softening cock still buried within her. "What on earth are you giggling at?" He asked looking at the almost deliriously happy look on her face.

"God that was fucking hot..." She said in between giggles.

Nick snicker-snorted and began laughing with her as well both feeling high off the pleasure they both gave and willingly received.

The following day...

Alyssa and Kellie walked through a calm zen garden as they went along on their sight seeing excursion. "I'm so glad you're here Liss." Kellie stated nonchalantly as they found a small bench to sit upon. Kellie felt a little light headed and consequently stumbled slightly as she went to sit.

Alyssa's hands immediately went to Kellie's sides helping her stabilize herself as she helped her best friend carefully sit safely on the bench. "Jesus are you okay?"

Kellie snickered, "Well thank you Simon Peter but I think I'm all right." She sarcastically retorted feeling her heartbeat slow back to normal and the world stop spinning. That was truly the one thing she really hated about being pregnant. One minute she'd be feeling perfectly fine and the next it felt like she were a top that had just been spun by a child the world spinning around her leaving her lightheaded and dizzy to say the least. "When you were pregnant did you ever get crazy dizzy spells?" She asked taking a deep breath centering herself once again.

Alyssa chuckled in relief, "That's what that was?" She replied for a moment she thought there was something really wrong with her friend and not just a horrendous side effect of the immense changes that had been brewing within her. "I was scared for a minute there. And yes I had them when I was pregnant but not as bad as you are! Everyone's symptoms are different, there are similarities but everyone gets different intensity levels from symptom to symptom."

"Yeah these dizzy spells are insane!" She remarked with a sigh.

Alyssa stood for a moment, "Hold that pose." She said as she dug into her bag grabbing her slim digital camera. She turned it on and snapped a few pictures. "I think Alex would love these!" She giggled showing Kellie the pictures of Kellie drapped across the bench, a beautiful pond full of water lilies and a cherry tree in the background and Kellie's hands draped gingerly on her stomach.

Kellie grinned widely at the pictures. "Email them to me."

"Hells yeah they're going on my myspace! I need good pictures of you and me on there anyways. I have awesome ones of Nick and I, which reminds me I was thinking for his birthday this coming year I could ask Andre to take some really super tasteful nude shots of me to give to him what do you think?"

"Like how tasteful?"

"Like not really showing a large amount of nudity, just like really artsy tasteful ones you know? Leaving a lot to the imagination even though I'm clearly naked."

"Nick would love that. What else were you considering doing for the big 2-8?"

"I want to give him a really awesome birthday party. But knowing him he'll just want a party for two at home. I think I'll have a bash at Joseph's or someplace cool you know?"

"That sounds awesome." She remarked seeing her friend's almost giddy demeanor. "So did you get like seriously thoroughly fucked last night, is that why you're in such an awesome mood?" Kellie probed with her curiosity. She gave her a suspicious once over.

Alyssa blushed and grinned like an idiot. "Leave me be will ya?" She said dodging the question expertly.

Kellie narrowed her eyes and giggled, "Oh God it was good wasn't it? I mean Alex and I couldn't hear you two last night, we were uh a little busy ourselves."

"Pregnant horniness?"

"Hell yes, and he loves every lustful second of it." Kellie retorted with a wicked smile.

Alyssa broke out in laughter as did Kellie at her statement. "Well I'm glad he's enjoying you to the fullest." She grinned back.

"Oh yes he is." She said sighing and smiling. "Now come on can you at least spill a few d's?" Alyssa rolled her eyes and looked away for a moment forcing Kellie to coax further. "Come onnnnn..." She pleaded. "I miss our girlie trash talking sessions you gave a little bit away last time we had this discussion and from that blush on your face and the smirk you have I'm thinking you two have been doing some majorly hot fucking. I'm pregnant and horny please humor me?" She pleaded again pouting and cocking her head to the side doing her best puppy dog impression.

Alyssa's resolve wore thin and she turned to Kellie grinning. "It was un-fucking-believable. In the limo on the way to the hotel we had such hot foreplay seriously I couldn't keep my hands off of him any longer. Then back at the hotel he positioned us differently than we've ever done before."

"Ooh kinky! Do tell." Kellie grinned widely.

"He had us both go down on one knee on the bed and we fucked semi-standing. It was so hot, if we looked down I could see everything it was erotic." She said keeping her voice low.

Kellie fanned herself, "Jesus Christ...that's fucking hot. God what has gotten into to you two? For the longest time Nick was bitching about never being able to be close to you sexually and now it's like freaks on parade!"

Alyssa giggled as they both stood deciding on walking around a little more in the gardens before going to their next destination. "Honestly I think it's just we've finally really given into our relationship. And I'm loving every single second of it." She explained hooking her arm through Kellie's as they continued their stroll through the serene landscape.

Author Update by Teri
Author's Notes:
/

Hey everyone I just wanted to let all of you know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth lol. I've started school once again and it's pretty time consuming. On top of that...I have a horrendous case of writer's block. I think it's just this one chapter I'm working on. After I get my homework done for the week (as part of a new plan of time management) I should theorectically have more time to myself and to write which I miss terribly. Having very little time to write makes me sad! So I'm hoping that will change very soon!

Anyways I have a question for all of my awesome readers. What do YOU want to see happen? I know a wedding and lots of children I'm sure lol but those are pretty certain of happening all ready (maybe not too many kids but we'll see lol).  Based on the story you've read and the characters you know so well...I'd really like to get all of your inputs on what you would like to see it headed.

Thanks so much for keeping up on the series and understanding about my lack of updates lately!

*Muah*

 

Teri 

Chapter 18: Turkey Coma by Teri
Author's Notes:
Wait what's this an ACTUAL CHAPTER?! Holy cow! lol Yes it's true I am BACK! And I'm so glad to be back, I've hated not writing but I took a well needed break. School is awesome, have a 4.0 so far and am very happy with that. Also there maybe a certain story coming back too *glances at Mel* hehe but you'll have to wait and see what exactly we're doing *even smile*. Anyways hope you all enjoy and yes I'm seriously back!
Chapter Eighteen: Turkey Coma

************************************
Alyssa Narrating:

Sometimes I honestly wonder why I miss touring and traveling so much with Nick when we're just chilling at home in LA. But then again it is a lot of fun. Getting to travel all around the world, seeing Europe, Asia, Australia and everywhere in between. It's a whirlwind and if you're not careful you can get caught up and end up getting sick from moving too fast and trying to do too much at a time. That and traveling on planes with all that recycled air doesn't help much either.

Poor Nick he's been dealing with his sinus issues again. It acts up horribly whenever we travel for long periods with several destinations. Every climate change messes with how his sinuses work, more humid climates tend to help relieve his chronic condition, but the dryer climates tend to dry him out nasally as well vocally to the point where he's always drinking water and tea to make sure he stays fully hydrated.

With me my allergies tend to act up from climate to climate, thankfully though their not that bad to where I'm sneezing every two seconds. Nick always makes fun of me whenever I sneeze because my faces scrunches up as everyone elses does but apparently mine is just all the more hilarious. It's really good though to see him laugh. For so long we'd been so dark and down it didn't seem like we'd ever be able to pull through and laugh, smile, kiss or hell even touch let alone make love anymore.

All of which has increased exponentially in chemistry and in passion. His kisses are more passionate, and intense. That and he's much more direct in what he wants sexually which I love. I love it when he tells me what to do, how to position myself and how to move with him to maximize every tingling sensation he can cause to run throughout my body.

I'm finally beginning to find a real ease and comfort with his body and my own that I really have begun to understand exactly what he meant by gaining a deeper level of intimacy that makes everything between us extremely heightened in intensity.

I love it this new level of closeness between us.

It makes me even more excited to begin to plan our future together. I've been reading and researching for weeks all about weddings and all the details going into them. I know it sounds ridiculous and trivial to really get into the details of a wedding but when you think about it, it's the ONE day out of your entire life where you and your man have all of your friends, families and loved ones there to celebrate the love you have between you. Sounds ridiculous I know and even I'll give you cheesed out but at the same time it's wonderful and exciting to say this is what I want to happen the day I marry the man I love.

Honestly I do not know where this totally corny streak is coming from. Maybe it's Nick's doing, he's been so romantic lately. Always doing something to show me that he loves me in words, writing, or even a present that he thought would make me happy. The thing he doesn't get is I don't need things, I always graciously accept anything he wants to give to me of course anything else would be down right rude. But I always let him know that he doesn't need to think he has to give me anything to buy my heart. He has it wholly and completely.

However I think it's really sweet that even after three years together he still wants to spoil me. Hell even in our friendship as I remember he always spoiled me with awesome presents on my birthday and at Christmas once we started getting really close after I turned 16. But then again knowing that he felt something for me even back then makes me think that it was his way of telling me through selfless gestures, not actions or words that he truly cared about me.

It's crazy to think that he cared about me for so long. Especially that everyone saw through both of our facades and wanted us to be happy together. It's insane that even people as close as Kellie, Lori or even crazier Collin could see our true feelings without either of us wanting to admit it to ourselves or even really realize how deep those feelings went.

Looking back I'm truly grateful for what Collin taught me. He was a great boyfriend and an even better friend but he taught me what love is. And it wasn't what I felt with him. It let me grow and become the person I needed to be to fall truly in love with Nick. And for the first time in a long time I don't see his death as such a horrible negative event. Yes it's still negative and was a horrible thing to happen to such a good person, but at the same time...maybe it was just how it was supposed to be. My mom always says that people come and go into our lives for a specific purpose staying for a time, a month, a day, or the whole of our lives and when they're gone they leave an indelible impression on our hearts and our souls to influence our future decisions.

That is the one thing I do still feel bad about. That fact that I let myself cut and get into all of that doesn't speak very highly of the influence that Collin had with me. True it was my way of grieving his death but at the same time it wasn't a smart way to honor his memory by destroying myself. I see that now but of course hindsight is always 20/20.

Looking back at all the things I've seen, done and been through in my lifetime pales in comparison to what some people go through. My father taught me that and at times I forget his wisdom. I still miss him terribly but I also know that he would want me to never hold back my happiness because he isn't here anymore.

Speaking of missing my family. I completely hate the fact that I can't be at home with my family on Thanksgiving. It's coming up relatively soon and it just sucks I can't be there to spend time with my siblings, my future siblings-in-law and my mom. I've grown really close with my mother ever since my father died. I think it's logical in a lot of ways that in losing him, I gained a closeness with my mom that I never had before. I adore my mother, I still adore my father, but it's so different now. I appreciate the moments more. Looking back I can remember him teaching me how to play soccer while my mom watched from the window in the kitchen. It's memories like those that I'll always cherish and hope to make some of my own with children, and hell even Nick's family as well.

I must say taking Aaron under my wing is definitely a bigger challenge than I thought it was going to be. I can understand why now that Kellie broke up with him. He is really not ready for a real and lasting relationship. Aside from the fact that he habitually drinks and smokes pot doesn't exactly make him strong relationship material either.

It hurts to watch him torture himself like he has. I've tried lightly and delicately to approach the situation of his vices and hard partying ways. I know he's not going to change them overnight and even when he does I know like I did he'll have relapses and struggles. And really all Nick or I can do is just be there for him as much as we possibly can to help him pick up the pieces when he finally does come crashing down because inevitably, just as I did, so will he.

But aside from all of that I think he may very well be on his way to possibly seeing the light sooner than that. Our talks range in hours long. He's got a lot of deep seeded issues, even deeper than what Nick has. Nick's major issue is trust. He's always had a major issue about that. He doesn't trust his own mother, women in general. He didn't even trust his own heart and his own feelings for me for the longest time instead finding comfort in other women. It still irks me to this day that he didn't just come out and tell me what he felt and instead went and slept around. I understand why he did it and I've accepted it but I still just don't like the idea of another woman touching him, getting to see what I see.

It's even worse that I still can't believe everything that happened with Emma happened, let alone my own mistake with Brandon. At least with Emma, Nick handled it with class and maturity that I wish I had possessed the night that I nearly destroyed everything Nick and I have together. The act of my own infidelity, while I can't change it and would certainly love to go back and rewrite history. I can't. It happened and even though I've forgiven myself for my own stupidity, it will still always be in the back of my mind of what I almost destroyed.

Sometimes I think Nick is so much stronger than I am. He's always so strong for me whenever I need him. But I'm beginning to let him know that he can rely on me whenever he needs someone to be strong for him. The whole situation with his parents and his siblings is one of those situations. He tries so hard to be a good son, a good brother. Thankfully his siblings, well his sisters at least, seem to honestly appreciate his efforts and try to better themselves at the same time. But his parents, are a completely different story.

Bob well he's much more laid back than Jane. He doesn't seem to really care what his kids do as long as they're happy. Great idea in theory but as I always say, communism is also a great idea in theory too but in practice both always come up with negative side effects do to differing circumstances in this imperfect world.

Then there's Jane. She's a right foul piece of work sometimes. Other times she shows this side of her that makes you forget all the bullshit she's ever pulled on you. It's so sad that Nick doesn't have that closeness with her that I know he craves so much. He's got such an enormously good heart and all it does is get him in trouble with her. Honestly I don't really blame him for cutting ties with her. When Nick and I do have children someday I would like her to be a part of their lives but with serious boundaries. Sadly I don't think that will be able to come to pass for quite some time.

Who knows but one can always hope for a better tomorrow and make the best out of today.

End Narration.
************************************

"I can't believe it's already almost Thanksgiving." Kellie said as she looked over her sketches for ideas for the boys wardrobe. She looked over at Alyssa who was busily making notes of things she liked or didn't out of several bridal magazines to discuss with Mindy the wedding planner that she'd decided on going to.

"Huh?" She said looking up once she felt eyes on her. She noticed Kellie's grin and she rolled her eyes. "What sorry, I'm just really excited now that we set a date I'm trying to get everything in line and ready as far as what I want and everything you know? It'll make it easier on me to get ideas of what I'm looking for ahead of time so I can just tell Mindy to do it."

Kellie giggled at her, "Look at you Miss Blushing Bride."

Alyssa rolled her eyes and stuck her tongue out at her. "I'm not kidding it's hard work! I'm so used to reading literature or anything like that so Bridal magazines? It's not easy to get into when I'm like OOH PRETTY! Every two seconds." She admitted as she went back to looking over the magazine full of ideas for spring weddings.

"It's ok to admit that you're excited about getting married. Hell if Alex asked me to marry him I'd probably get so excited that I'd elope. As long as you and Lori and my grandmother and Alex's mom is there I'm cool."

"Ooo met the folks already?"

"Yes, he wanted to let her know that we're expecting and I had met her not long into the relationship. Just because it was the first night I'd spent at his place and she surprised him with starbucks and bagels."

"Ooh what did she say about you?"

"Denise is really great, she's extremely excited to be a grandma. He and his mom are super close, which I really like it says so much about how much he respects women in general. And his stepsister and step dad are really awesome. They are so kind and have really welcomed me."

"Wow I wish I got a reception like that into Nick's family."

Kellie giggled and patted her friend's hand. "You have his siblings that adore you. And hey Bob really likes you too so there's an upside. I mean I haven't even met Alex's real dad because they're not really close at all so at least you have that much support on his side of the family. It's really only Jane that doesn't approve."

"Yeah I know and that's what I really wanted you know. For things to get better with him and her. It sucks that he can't have a strong relationship with her. And he really tried but I guess she just can't do it without wanting to control his every decision. I'm just glad we have my family too and they love Nick and his sibs. Which is going to totally suck that Nick and I can't be there this year. His siblings are even going to be with my family and we have to miss it for stupid work."

"Yeah I completely know what you mean. I've actually been delaying the impending dread of Alex meeting my parents in Bel Air."

"I'm sure that's going to go over well. You being with Mr. Tattoo boy." Alyssa retorted.

"Yeah we'll see about that. I'm not very close with my parents as you know so really it's more like they'll get a birth announcement."

Alyssa gave her a look and patted her on her hand. "Maybe this will bring you closer to your parents."

"It might but I'm not counting on it." Kellie replied as she turned back to her sketches. A moment later AJ and Nick came walking in discussing rather animatedly. Both men stopped as they laid eyes on both their women in Nick's suite.

"Hey Kel I didn't know you were gonna be in here?" AJ remarked pulling up a chair next to her at the table and kissing her temple. Kellie grinned and looked over at Alyssa who had barely noticed the guys coming in as she took notes on floral arrangements.

"Uh Liss you alive over there?" Kellie asked with a snarky grin.

Nick rolled his eyes and pulled up a chair taking her magazine from her. "Wait hey!" She exclaimed.

He grinned at her keeping it from her grabbing hands. "So what is it today. Color coordination or ooh flowers!" He replied jokingly.

Alyssa smacked the back of his head as she grabbed the magazine back. "Ass. I really don't know why I'm marrying you sometimes." She teased back mocking a serious face as she set the magazine back on the table.

"Because the sex is really good?" Kellie postulated with a knowing grin.

Alyssa's stoicism broke for a second in favor of a grin. "Eh sex is overrated." She shot back.

"Bite your tongue." Nick added pinching her side for good measure.

"If I did that you'd be sad." She retorted giggling slightly. Nick rolled his eyes and kissed her softly.

Kellie bit the inside of her cheek to hold back the snicker that threatened to emanate from her throat. "You two are disgusting." She said smirking. Alyssa broke the kiss and grinned turning to her friend and sticking her tongue out at her. "Don't you stick your tongue out at me." Kellie chided motheringly.

Alyssa giggled, "As I remember you kinda liked it!"

Kellie rolled her eyes and laughed a little, "We're so never living that down are we?"

AJ chuckled and wrapped his arm around her waist. "Could always do it again?" He offered with a cheeky grin.

Both women and Nick shot him a glance. "Hell no you are so not touching my woman!" Nick said with a jealous look on his face.

Alyssa gave him a sympathetic look and kissed his cheek, "Don't worry I'd have to agree to it and so would Kel and from the looks of it...uh dream on Alexander."

AJ pouted for a second and Kellie glared at him, "Wipe that pout off your face if you ever want to have sex again." She retorted making his back straight and his expression sober.

Nick grinned at the two of them, "Yeah man be careful what you say she's pregnant and hormonal, you're lucky if she doesn't castrate you."

"Hey now my woman is hornier than I was at 14 and not all prudey."

Alyssa's back straightened, "I was NOT all prudey! Just we had zilch for privacy what with the proverbial revolving door we had installed letting all our families come stay whenever they decided to show up. Plus he was a little busy recording and I was working so everytime we even had time to have sex we'd fall asleep or I wouldn't be in the mood when he would be or vice versa." Alyssa explained beginning to ramble.

"How can you not be in the mood?" Kellie scoffed, "Hell it's like 24/7 hormones over here it's rather frustrating."

"You still have your bunny though don't you?" Alyssa replied with a curious grin. Kellie's eyes widened and she blushed. "I'm guessing Alex knows then?"

"Knows that she's a sex toy freak? Yeah thanks to yours and Lori's influence we have a whole drawer at home full of them." AJ explained making them all chuckle a little.

"Speaking of home is there any way we could make it to Arizona in time for Thanksgiving?" Alyssa asked turning her attention to Nick giving him a pleading glance.

Nick shook his head, "I'm really sorry baby. There's just too much we have going on to make it all the way there have dinner and make it all the way back in time for the next show we're doing. It'd be next to impossible to pull it off." He replied giving her a sympathetic look. He saw Alyssa's face fall and a sigh escape her mouth. She quickly turned back to the magazine not wanting to revel much longer in her own disappointment at not being able to spend the biggest family holiday of the year next to Christmas with her own family.

"So where are we going for thanksgiving dinner tomorrow night?" Kellie asked.

"I have no idea Brian had suggested a restaurant not far from the hotel but I'm almost at the point where I just wanna call in for roomservice." Nick said still a little disappointed himself. He knew Alyssa wanted to be with their families at this time of year and it hurt him a little that he couldn't be there either. But at the same time he was happy that she elected to stay with him instead of flying out by herself to spend it with her family. But what if he could bring their family to them? He knew they'd never be able to all fly out in time so maybe using technology they each had at their fingertips would allow them to still interact somewhat with their loved ones.

*********************************************
Nick Narrating:

So I feel terrible. I know I probably shouldn't feel all that bad but I do. After all it's the beginning of the holiday season and we should be at home with our families. Our siblings and Mary.

I know I shouldn't feel bad but I miss them, miss hanging out with them. Jamie's growing up so fast and seeing my own siblings grow as adults would be nice too. Which I have to say is why I am slightly upset that I can't go. My own siblings are going to be there. I've been worried about Aaron he's been going through so much lately. I am really glad though, that Alyssa's been trying to help him get through things.

Lord knows that she's been through quite enough to know that certain activities just aren't worth it to lose yourself in. But at the same time I know he's not really listening to her fully. Sounds ridiculous but I know my brother he's a stubborn lil shit. Always has been. I think he gets it from our mom at least I think we all get that from her. One of the few things I'll admit to getting from her.

I worry about him, honestly I'm his older brother it's my job isn't it? Lord knows my parents don't worry much about him. I know dad does sometimes when ever it's convenient for him. Mom's too absorbed into her own life and drama to really see past anything going wrong with her baby besides a dwindling bank account.

It really saddens me that I don't get to see much of my family. My siblings I can see a lot more now that we're all closer. I love that Mike and Les are getting married they need that stability in each other. That and it allows Les and I to really relate even more than just on a musical level. Since we're both getting married she's been really close by always wanting to know how things are going with Alyssa. Come to think of it everyone we know is like that. Especially since last July. Even Olivia and Angela are like that and really we all should have been more focused on them. Hell since their attack I know Alyssa's been extremely concerned for her sister. Even through every thing Alyssa still cares more about her family than anything else in this world. And luckily she considers me to be a part of that family as her best friend and fiancé.

I know it's crazy to think that we're getting married. Everything surrounding that seems completely surreal. Me, the consummate bachelor married? Craziness right there. I know it sounds trite or even cliché but honestly I never really saw myself as the marrying type. Until my relationship with her. I know I had said when I was with Paris that I could see myself marrying her. Believe me I had to have been drunk or something for me to even think that back then but at the time in my life I was craving stability, what I thought I'd found in her but I was so completely wrong. The stability I was looking for was right smack dab in front of me.

I know they always say hindsight is always 20/20 and all but looking back I can't believe how stubborn I was to try so hard to hide my feelings for her. Hell I don't even know how my will power lasted that long. It makes me think of how I could have screwed things up so many times over by hurting her in our relationship. Like with the whole Emma situation. I could have done what I was so tempted to do. Could have ruined everything I worked so hard to build with Alyssa. But at the same time I think the one thing that stopped me from doing it was the fact that I love her. As much as that makes me a total chick for saying so it was that one complex emotion that stopped me from hurting her.

It used to really scare me how much potential I saw with her. Like when we were friends it would scare the crap out of me that I could just sit and daydream about what our life would be like. I didn't want to be thinking about my best friend that way let alone even imagine myself in a monogamous committed relationship. I know I was the classic paradox, I wanted to fall in love, really in love, but I didn't want it to mean the end of my freedom the end of all the fun things that are around when you're single.

And look at me now...completely whipped for one woman? Hell if the 22 year old me saw myself today I swear I'd point and laugh and call myself a pussy. But secretly isn't that what everyone wants deep down? To find someone that you just can be completely comfortable with, be yourself around and want to spend all your time with them. I may have tried to deny it for what seemed like forever but I guess my heart finally kicked my mind's ass. Which shouldn't be too hard of a feat if you believe the dumb blonde theory of me.

Sometimes it drives me nuts when I say something stupid or something that doesn't quite make sense to other people. I have this tendency to talk in circles that makes absolute perfect sense to me but to most people it makes no sense whatsoever. Thankfully Ali knows my weird logic and often heads it off with her own ideas. I don't get what it is about how much my life has changed in the past few years, I've been through things that happen to a lot of people, miscarriage, the death of a child, falling out with my parents, and growing closer to my siblings. It's strange how everything comes full circle and yet, the one person I feared that wouldn't be there with me still is right by my side.

And at the same time everything that has gone wrong seems to balance with all the things that are right in my life. Alyssa and I are at the closest we've ever been which is amazing in an of itself. Also the band is amazing. I can't begin to really ever appreciate those guys enough for being there and being my family over the years. And even though it's really weird without Kevin I understand why he left the band.

If Noah had survived and was in the hospital for months at a time. I would have quit too, just to make sure I could be there for everything and not miss his recovery if there had been one. I guess that's why I threw myself into the album as much as possible after his death. To make it mean something to me, that it was really time well spent since it was away from a lot of the people that I love. Almost losing everything in my life, my fiancée, my son, my career...it really puts everything into perspective for me to the point where I appreciate everything that much more. Which is why it really irks me to no end that I don't have a good relationship with my parents. My dad on one hand he and I have never really had much of a problem with each other. Ever since I turned 18 he's always kind of been the much more laid back of the two and didn't really care what I did as long as I was happy. Which in a way is awesome, but at the same time at his influence I got into a lot of behaviors that I wish I hadn't. Partying and women being the main two.

Granted I don't really regret anything I've ever done as far as the choices I've made in my life. But there are sometimes when I look back and I go ‘wow I should have treated her better' about certain girls I'd met along the way. Amanda in particular, we were so stupid about our relationship that I'm really glad that now we're able to actually sit and talk like normal adults and not reminisce and get caught up in old feelings that weren't even all that genuine to begin with.

At the same time, I do regret not having a better relationship with my mom. It sucks that she's so goddamn difficult when it comes to any sort of relationship that I try to have with her. It really hurt that she tried so hard to force Alyssa to break up with me by driving her crazy. I realize that in her warped logic she wants what she thinks is best for me but if she had her way I'd be married to Paris and have like three kids already. Something more of a merger type of a marriage where there's more emphasis on the collective money involved than any romantic entanglement.

I do hope that someday my mother does come around and see how happy Alyssa makes me and how happy we are together. When we do try to have children again I would like her to be involved in their lives as a grandmother. But at the same time I'm not going to hold my breath that magically she's going to change overnight from what she's been for much of my life. I can remember back to when I was a kid and she'd cook for the whole family. She was always happiest then when the family was all together. But soon after I started getting into music and everything changed. I know that Aaron blames himself for the demise of our family but really if he has anyone to blame it's me. I wanted to become a singer so desperately that mom and dad were willing to give up everything to help me achieve that. I feel like maybe it is all my fault that I brought fame into our family and ultimately that's what broke us up.

This of course would be the time when Ali would smack me upside my head and then hug me telling me to never blame myself for following my dreams and that it was my parents and not me that ruined my family. Have to hand it to the girl she's right but that doesn't ever keep that gnawing feeling on my heart that I could have prevented all of it by not wanting to be a singer, by just wanting to be a normal kid with normal problems and a normal life.

Like what Ali had growing up. She had two loving parents, siblings that she's extremely close with and a close extended family in Ginny, Marc and E. Which brings me to my plan. I already called and set everything up with Clark for a special treat for Alyssa late tomorrow night after we go to dinner with the band. When it's time for thanksgiving dinner in Arizona where our families are going to be Clark is going to set up his laptop so we can video conference with the whole family. Alyssa has no idea that I'm planning this and I think she'll find it a nice surprise. I know how bummed she is about not seeing her family at this time of year and really as I previously stated so am I. So...what greater way than to bring our families to us than with the power of technology? Yeah I thought it was a pretty great idea myself. That way she and I can see and talk to all our closest relatives. Because isn't that what this time of year is all about? Being with family and the ones you love and really appreciating what you have because there's always someone else out there that isn't as lucky as you are.

At least that's what I've begun to believe.

End Narration.
*********************************************

The next evening...

Alyssa stood on her tip toes in the bright fluorescent lights of the hotel suite's massive bathroom and carefully applied her eye shadow lightly, studying her reflection in the mirror. She grinned hearing Nick's dress loafers swish against the heated marble tile as he came up behind her pulling himself to sit on the counter top watching her as she finished up her light makeup. With an expectant look she glanced over at him, "What?" She asked while she applied some light lip gloss over the top of her light pink stained lips.

Nick leaned back against the cold glass of the mirror and just watched her contentedly for a few moments loving how meticulously she put herself together for the evening making it look effortless when really he knew it was anything but. "I kinda like watching you get ready for a night out." He admitted shrugging slightly.

Alyssa grinned wider and raised her perfectly arched eyebrows in surprise. "Really?" She wondered, is that all he'd come into the bathroom for? To bug her as she made herself feel presentable next to the other girlfriend/wife/fiancé of the other members of the band. She hated to admit it but she did like to make herself feel beautiful especially if they were going out on the town where they were certain to get stopped by fans. Call it vanity but she expected herself to always look her best when they went out in public together.

He nodded and continued to watch her as she put in her earrings three in each ear finding it slightly hot that she took such pride in herself and how she looked that she'd take the extra time and effort to look even more beautiful for him. "Yeah I mean it's really kind of sweet you try to look good even though you don't have to try."

Alyssa shook her head and touseled her hair in front of the mirror. "I guess I just want to look appropriate I guess." She admitted, she didn't want to go into much detail as to the fact that she wanted to be the perfect girl for him in everyway and if that meant sometimes she had to go the extra mile to look good then she would.

Nick saw right through her cool collected exterior and decided to question her a little. "Appropriate for what? Dating me?" He asked with one eyebrow arched questioningly.

She shrugged, "I guess, I mean you're into girly girls I guess I'm just trying to fit the type." She explained. Nick shook his head completely astonished that she was really just trying to fit the type of girl he was so accustomed to being with. Didn't she know that he hated those girls? The ones that took hours upon hours to get ready for a night out and they'd end up being late to wherever he'd decided to take them for the evening? He gathered his thoughts and stood a moment later standing behind her wrapping his arms around her waist. She looked up in the mirror seeing his face just beside hers. "What?"

"I'm not into girly girls. I'm into you...in shorts, slacks, dresses, and whatever else you want to wear or not wear. I don't want anyone else but you." He explained. "All the other girls before you...including Amanda, Sue, Paris, any of them I thought I really cared about them and I may have cared but I didn't love them. At least not how I love you okay? So please don't even think you can compare yourself to them."

Alyssa nodded, "I'm not so much comparing myself to them as just wanting to make sure you always remember why you chose me. I want to look good for you is that so bad?"

He grinned and kissed her shoulder through the fabric of her long sleeve black dress that went to her mid calf and hugged her curves like a second skin. "No it's not bad, I just don't want you think you have some standard to live up to. I love you just as much in the morning with your hair going every which way and no makeup on as much as right now."

She smiled at him and rested her head against his jaw. "You're such a sap but I love you too." She replied. He left the bathroom a moment later dropping a kiss to her shoulder before doing so. She emerged a few moments later slipping on her low black pumps and slipped her arm through his as they left the comfort and privacy of their hotel suite for the night. They walked quietly to the elevator; once inside Nick leaned against the wall glancing at his watch trying to gauge how much time they had until they had to be back at the hotel for what he had planned. "Got a hot date?" Alyssa chided jokingly noticing his impatient tick of looking at his watch.

He snorted slightly and shook his head, "Yep right here." He replied giving her a cheesy grin for good measure. "No just I have something planned for late tonight for just the two of us." He said wiggling his eyebrows suggestively hoping that would keep her curiosity of what it was at bay for the time being if he made her think it was somehow related to sex.

"Ohh am I going to need extra energy for this? Should I load up on caffeine and sugar?" She shot back chuckling at his suggestiveness.

"Yes most definitely energy is required, wouldn't want you falling asleep especially with the props I picked out."

"Props like what?" Alyssa asked grinning widely. "Fun ones I hope?"

"Nope sorry they were all out of the fun ones, just got the mediocre ones for tonight." He replied sarcastically. Alyssa rolled her eyes and smacked his arm.

"Meanie head." She scoffed pouting at him, "Now come on I'm all excited to know what you did for us tonight."

"Patience sugar. You'll see." He grinned at her and laced their fingers as the doors dinged signifying they'd reached the lobby. They both walked out seeing Howie and Leigh standing over near the couches towards the front entrance. Leigh was busily chattering on her cell phone probably with her family or going over last minute wedding plans since it was just a few days away from their wedding. Nick smiled to himself studying the floor for a moment as they made they're way over to them thinking about how everything for his own wedding was starting to take shape as well. "Ya'll ready to go?" Nick asked as they stood just about a foot away from Howie and Leigh.

Howie looked up from where he was seated on a couch waiting for the others to show up. "As soon as B and Alex get their asses down here we can go."

"Kellie's probably on dress number five by now in about 5 minutes she'll decide on dress number one that she picked out well over an hour ago." Alyssa mused making the four of them chuckle just as Leigh shut her cell phone.

"She's pregnant we can cut her a little slack." Leigh said joining Howie on the couch.

Nick pulled himself to sit in an overstuffed armchair. Alyssa grinned and sat on the arm of the chair putting her hand on the opposite end on the back of the chair for balance. "Yeah but she's like this pregnant or not, it's just worse now because she's got a bun in the oven." She joked back.

A few moments later Brian and Leighanne along with Baylee came walking up to join them in the small sitting area. "So Alyssa are you all excited you two finally set a date?" Leighanne asked with a wide grin.

Alyssa nodded, "Yeah I am, it's kind of fun planning everything out. It's not going to be some real conservative church wedding although that's what I'm sure my family would want. But I just want to make it fun for all of our friends and family and definitely one hell of a party." She replied as she felt a hand on her shoulder turning she saw Kellie standing there with AJ.

"Hey loser." Kellie said with a snarky grin.

"Brat." Alyssa joked back giving her a hug. "So we all ready?" She asked turning to the group. Everyone nodded and got up from their seats ready to hit the town and celebrate the holiday with each other as a family.

Later on...

"Okay so best thanksgiving moment?" Leigh asked as they all went around the table regaling each other with memories of holidays past with each other and with their respective families.

Alyssa swirled her chardonnay in her wine glass as she mulled over her thoughts trying to pick a personal favorite holiday moment. "Thanksgiving 2004. My dad and I stayed up all night getting everything ready for the next day, making pies from scratch, cookies, brownies, then marinating the turkey and getting all the side dishes pre-done so all we had to do was reheat everything in the oven the next day while we cooked the turkey. It was so much fun. Nick was talking with Clark and they'd come into the kitchen everytime we'd break out a pie or something that smelled really good from the oven. I'd have to smack them and shoo them away so we'd actually have a dinner for the next day. I actually threatened to put a padlock on the refrigerator." She recalled giggling a little bit tipsy from the wine.

"You remember all that?" Nick asked taking her hand in his. It had only been three years since that time but to recall a memory so vividly made him smile and simultaneously feel bad that it had been Jamie's last thanksgiving with the family. It was a bittersweet memory to think of in so many ways.

Alyssa nodded, "Yeah whenever I really miss my Dad I think back to that night and I laugh, it was one of the really great times he and I had you know?"

"How's your mom and siblings been?" Howie asked trying to shift to a less intense topic. Every single one at that table had gone through the grieving process when Jamie had passed away, even though they didn't even really get the chance to know him all that well he'd still welcomed all of them into his home and his family treating them as if they were his sons, his brothers his family as he had done with Nick so many years before.

"Olivia and Angie are doing better, the invitro finally worked so Angie's pregnant. It only took them months of shots and finding a sperm donor to do it but I'm so excited for them after all they've been through this year with the attack and everything they really deserve this."

"That's so cool you're going to have two little ones to spoil now aside from lil Jamie." Kellie remarked rubbing her hand over her swelling abdomen.

Alyssa grinned at her, "I'm so looking forward to it too. Olivia's going to be such an awesome mom. It's going to be interesting to see if they get a boy or a girl. I personally am hoping for a girl since we already have Jamie or hell a little boy would be cute as hell too." She beamed as she discussed the topic of her possible niece or nephew.

"So Nick best thanksgiving memory?" Leigh asked turning the topic back to it's original spot.

Nick chewed the inside of his cheek for a moment and looked at Alyssa. "Last year, we had both our families at our house in LA. It was the first thanksgiving where we were in charge and it was really cool we did the tradition of staying up the night before getting everything ready for the next day and really it came out great we kept alcohol out of it so no fights broke out between any of the siblings and it was just a really nice calm day for everyone."

"Okay so worst food you've ever had at Thanksgiving?" Alyssa asked leaning back in her chair relaxing into it and intertwining her fingers with Nick's.

"Mutton. I had no idea it was lamb but ew never again." Nick said wrinkling his nose.

"That's only because we were in France for the holiday and we were bored and wanting to get Nicky back for all the torture he'd put us through throughout the tour so we all told him it was French steak." Howie explained.

Alyssa giggled a little, "Well baby then I think you had that one coming then. I've heard tales of his pranks over the years, and I don't know how you didn't kill him for half the crap he pulled on all of you guys. Kevin, in particular, some of the tricks you pulled honey were just mean."

Nick shrugged giving her an impish grin, "But it was fun at the time and hey I got a good laugh out of it."

"Hence why you were pushed out of the dressing room in your underwear back when you were a teenager." Alyssa countered making Nick blush and snicker.

"Yeah that was embarrassing to say the least." He admitted laughing.

Alyssa grinned and listened to everyone elses' stories about pranks past and memorable holidays. She sighed a little looking down at her fingers for a moment and to the diamond on her left ring finger. Everything she'd sacrificed for their relationship it wasn't much after all was it? She still had her career and her family. It disappointed her that she couldn't see them on this holiday but look at all the others she had with them. She grinned a little at the thought of seeing them at Christmas time. It had gotten easier since the first holiday season without her father being there yet they'd all carried on the traditions that he'd instilled in all of them from when they were children. Nick glanced over at her noticing her pensive far away expression. He squeezed her hand gently bringing her out of her silent reverie. "Yeah?" She asked meeting his concerned gaze with an expectant glance.

"You all right?" Nick asked cocking his head to the side and rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. Alyssa turned to him and laid her head on his shoulder.

"Can we get out of here soon?" She asked looking up at him. He grinned and broke the grasp on her hand to pat her knee.

"Yeah in a bit you getting tired?"

"A little."

He grinned and kissed her temple. "Order some coffee it's really important that you stay awake tonight."

Alyssa snickered a little, "Some how I think you'll keep me fully occupied." She shot back with a sarcastic grin.

Late that night...


Nick broke the kiss for just a moment glancing at his watch for what seemed the millionth time that night. Alyssa breathed in heavily readjusting herself on the couch. For the past nearly half an hour since they'd returned to their suite they'd sat on the sofa in the sitting room just making out like horny teenagers. "Nick why do you keep looking at your watch? What waiting until I fall asleep so you can sneak out to hang with your groupies?" She chided with a grin.

He sighed and gave her a look. "No, just trying to time things out perfectly."

"So when is this surprise supposed to begin?"

"In about ten minutes. Why don't you go get ready for bed."

"That would require nudity...Is that a problem?" She asked giving him a suggestive glance. He groaned and rolled his eyes pulling her back into a kiss. She moved back just as their lips met, "What about the surprise?"

"It can wait a minute" He muttered as he pressed his mouth to hers again. His hand stayed at the back of her neck cradling the crook between her head and neck as they kissed each other passionately. Alyssa pulled herself over to sit on his lap pushing his body into the armrest of the couch which he'd been sitting with his back against it. She moved her hands up his shoulders to his neck then to the back of his head tangling her fingers in his short hair. Nick shuddered feeling her nails gently scrape against his scalp and then felt a strange vibration coming from his pant's pocket.

Alyssa broke the kiss giggling, "Now I had no idea it did that? Damn when did you learn to make it vibrate?" She asked shaking as she erupted in laughter.

He thought for a moment, "That's not me it's my phone..." He said chuckling at her as he pushed her off his lap so he could reach his pocket.

"Damn I was gonna say why haven't you done that before...could be fun." She remarked as he checked his messages he saw the text from Olivia and got up.

"Okay wait right here." He said going over to the desk and grabbing his laptop. Alyssa gave him a strange look as she tucked her legs underneath her and relaxed against the back of the couch. He sat down pulling her close as he laid the laptop between their two laps. "Okay it's not porn I promise."

Alyssa grinned and snapped her fingers in a swoosh motion in front of her. "Damn and I was hoping for a hot donkey show."

Nick wrinkled his nose and chuckled, "You can have that later." He retorted wiggling his eyebrows.

"Okay if you're referring to yourself as the donkey then you really are a jackass." She shot back as he opened the computer turning it on from it's sleeping state. He pulled up his instant messenger and clicked on his webcam. A moment later an instant message popped up asking if he wanted to video conference. He clicked okay and Alyssa gave him a strange look then looked back to the monitor as he clicked it to go full screen seeing Olivia and Angela sitting there with Jamie who was growing like a weed for being only about 18 months old.

Alyssa's eyes widened as she saw everyone else gather around them. Her siblings, Nick's, her mother, and her grandmother as well as her aunt and uncle all cramming in close to all see the monitor and for everyone to see everything as well as be seen. "Jamie...look whose on the computer..." Olivia directed her nephew to look at the screen as soon as he saw his Aunt and Uncle's smiling faces he grinned widely.

"Aunt Awi and Unca Nick!!!" Jamie shrieked seeing her sitting there on the computer monitor.

"Hey munchkin!" Alyssa beamed, "Hey everyone what's going on?"

Olivia grinned, "Oh Nick didn't tell you did he?" She said as everyone smiled. "He was telling us how much you were missing all of us and well...this was his brilliant plan. So happy thanksgiving sis." Olivia replied.

Alyssa smiled and gave Nick a kiss on the cheek making a collective snicker ring out from the laptop. Alyssa rolled her eyes, "Okay now that I didn't miss." She joked. "How is everyone? Mom? Nana? Clark? Everyone?"

"I'm good darlin'." Mary replied grinning letting everyone else reply as well. "Hows Germany?"

"Cold!! I miss Arizona I was freezing my butt off tonight at the restaurant." She replied giggling a little still a bit tipsy from dinner and the earlier makeout session.

Clark grinned at his sister and looked to Nick, "So when are you guys going to be back in LA?"

"Should be next week for a few days then we have Howie's wedding in Orlando."

"Wow never would have thought Howie was the marrying type." Olivia added.

"Yeah you've met Leigh though she's awesome. Kellie's doing really well by the way Lori." Alyssa responded.

"Speaking of weddings..." Ginny started.

"When's yours?" Elettra added.

"And whose the maid of honor and best man?" Leslie continued in the barrage of questions.

Alyssa grinned and chuckled leaning her head on his shoulder and played with his fingers. "Well... wedding is May 16th, we're going to Hawaii for it. So we're getting there the morning of the 15th and having a party that night before the wedding and it's a formal party so nice clothes are a must Aaron Charles." Alyssa admonished making him roll his eyes.

"Don't you roll your eyes at her. We're serious suit and jacket." Nick added reinforcing what Alyssa had said.

Alyssa grinned and squeezed Nick's thigh lightly, "As far as best man and maid of honor we haven't thought about it yet, but I promise we will. It's a tough decision for both of us since we have so many people in our lives that we're really close with." She explained giving as diplomatic of an answer as she could muster.

"So how was your thanksgiving it must be really late over there?" Elettra asked with a concerned grin. "You two are eating enough and getting rest right? I don't want to hear about you two getting sick!" She said in her best protective tone of voice.

"With Nick's chronic sinus issues and my horrid immune system? I'm surprised I haven't gotten pneumonia yet." Alyssa joked.

"Alyssa Mackenzie." Her mother chided. "Don't joke about that."

Alyssa's expression softened, "Relax momma seriously all is well at Camp Backstreet I suspect we're making lanyards tomorrow before the nature hike!" She retorted sarcastically reminded her mom of how she sounded like a parent concerned about a child away at summer camp.

Nick snickered, "Seriously Mary everything's going good right now. Ali's been working and planning the wedding as well as shopping with Kellie and I've well be working my butt off as usual. We can't wait to see you guys at Christmas." He beamed happily.

"It's really late over there and we need to be sitting down to dinner..." Angel suggested wanting to let her brother have some alone time with his fiancée. "I'm sure you both are going to be busy tomorrow."

"Yeah but I'll call mom in the morning your time to see how everyone is I promise!" Alyssa replied as they bid everyone farewell staying on for just a few moments to talk with Olivia and Clark respectively.

After Nick shut the computer down he turned to her and grinned, "Good thanksgiving?" He asked with an impish grin.

Alyssa grinned and moved to cuddle against his chest. "Yes I loved it thank you so much baby for letting me get to talk to them. It lessened the severity of being away from everyone this year. Thank you really it made my night."

Nick grinned and stood taking her hand, "Well don't say that just yet...the night's still young..." He said suggestively leading her into the bedroom.

"My, my Mr. Carter are you trying to seduce me?" She asked grinning like an idiot.

"Yes, yes I am..." He said as he pulled her in close claiming her mouth in a sultry kiss.

End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! Hope to have more to ya'll soon!
Chapter 19: In Recovery by Teri
Author's Notes:
Wow another chapter?! Yay! So I finished chapter 20 and am working on 21. I'm really excited to work on this again. And I'm very excited that all of you liked it too. Keep the reviews coming they're so appreciated!
Chapter Nineteen: In Recovery

Alyssa awoke slowly from her late morning nap. She'd fallen back asleep after she and Nick had breakfast in bed followed by a rather rousing romp together. She grinned to herself as she stretched out not wanting to leave the warm soft confines of the sheets and comforter against her naked skin. She saw the bright late morning light streaming in the windows and French doors and looked over to Nick's side of the bed and sighed seeing it empty.

She figured he'd gotten more energy and stayed up rather than falling back asleep as she did exhausted by their feverish uninhibited love making that morning. She had to admit that morning sex definitely was becoming her favorite. Being half awake only having had breakfast just a few minutes before that she'd made and surprised him with. He'd been so surprised by the sweetness of her gesture that it almost seemed as if he had to have her as she had sat on the bed in only one of his oversized tee shirts and her long hair messy and unkempt with not a speck of makeup on her face giving it a fresh light glow.

Hearing Nick's voice at the bottom of the stairs she got up shedding the covers and walked stark nude over to the closet pulling on underwear and then putting on a favorite pair of worn blue jeans and a simple tee shirt and put on her black and grey converse. She went down the stairs pulling her hair into a loose bun at the base of her skull letting the wispy ends trail against her neck. She saw him with his blackberry poised against his ear.

"Yeah I know Em...It's going to be great I can't wait to show it off. I know Howie's already signed up as an investor and I'm pretty sure once AJ sees the place he'll want in on it too. Brian I'm not counting on just because he's already investing in his wife's handbag and design company."

She stopped and leaned against the entry way into the conservatory that held the piano and had a large sitting area as well as the arcadia doors that lead out to the back porch and backyard. He looked over and saw her standing there and grinned holding up his finger for her to wait for just a moment or two then he'd be off the phone. She hated to admit it but just the thought that Emma was even still speaking to her fiancé still irked her to some extent.

"Don't worry you'll be fine you and Beej have gone over menu ideas for how long? I have complete faith in you that the opening will be a huge hit and that the restaurant will be booming." He said happily trying to end the conversation quickly. "Anyways Em I have some important stuff to do today, I think Liss wants to go check out some ideas she has for the wedding and get my input on it but I will see you at the party okay? I'll introduce you to a lot of people so you're going to be mingling after you cook so dress well. Okay...talk to you then...bye..." He said.

"So why has it taken so long to open the restaurant?" Alyssa asked giving him a questioning glance as he got off the phone with Emma hitting the end button on his phone.

Nick shrugged. "Just stuff kept coming up. Not being able to hire enough help quickly and training took longer than expected but hey the opening is finally here so you're going right?" He asked hoping that she would go. It wasn't that he was really worried about the whole idea that Emma would be there. He'd come to terms with his own feelings of awkwardness towards her since her admission that past August. But at the same time it really just made it hard on him to deal with Emma in person. He knew how she felt yet tried to ignore that simple fact and just focus on the work but from the way she looked at him he started distancing himself from her and leaving their conversations and meetings about the restaurant to strictly phone conversations. It did help that he'd been away on business with the group for much of the fall thus far.

"So is she going to be there?" Alyssa asked. She hated having that unsettling feeling in her stomach every time she heard the mere mention of Emma's name. She thought it must be like in some way what Nick felt whenever Brandon's name was mentioned. In a lot of ways she felt like she deserved the terrible feeling in her gut from what mistake she had made with Brandon. She knew she couldn't beat herself up for one stupid mistake she'd made in a fit of anger but at the same time everything did happen for a reason and maybe it was karma coming around to bite her in the butt for her mistakes she'd made in their relationship by bringing a strikingly beautiful girl into his life as temptation.  

Nick studied her for a moment wondering what she must be thinking. "Yeah Emma's going to be there. But hey you know nothing's going to happen."

Alyssa took a deep breath and looked at her hands. "Yeah I know...just I don't like that she has to be near you at all." She said looking away. Nick got a sympathetic look on his face and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind resting his chin on her shoulder.

"Baby, come on you know I'd never do that to you..." He said thinking it was the right thing at the moment. Alyssa pushed his hands away and just shook her head.  "What did I say?"

"Yeah you wouldn't do that to me, but I'd do that though right?" She said sharply.

Nick closed his eyes for a few moments feeling all the feelings of betrayal and jealousy flood back to his mind from the year before. He had pushed all thought and memory of it out of his mind focusing on their relationship and all their internal problems. He took a breath and looked at her. "I didn't mean it like that and you know it."

Alyssa shook her head in agreement, "I know but I was just thinking about how I deserve to feel like this since I did that to you. Did you just forgive me because you didn't want to give up on us?" She asked swallowing hard.

He sighed and studied her for a moment longer. "Alyssa...okay you know what yeah I did just forgive you to save us. It really fucking hurt what you did. But that's in the past. I don't think about it much. There's much more painful things we've been through since that make that seem so completely petty and I do forgive you now. It still hurts but I can see past it and really trust you again and it took everything we've been working on to really build it back. I mean if you think that fucking Brandon to spite me for something you thought I did shattered my trust in you what in the hell do you think seeing you cut again did?" He retorted back.

Alyssa nodded, "I know...and still I just feel bad."

Nick sighed, "Here's what you need to do..."

She gave him a strange look, "What?"

He pulled her to him, "Stop feeling guilty. It's only making things worse at times. And really that's all I want. I mean you've really come to terms with losing Noah because I made us go into therapy together. And look at you; you're so much happier than you have been in such a long time. You've gotten over losing Collin, and Noah. And I know it's going to take a while to get over losing your dad believe me I know I haven't really ever tried to sit down and think about any of the negative things that have happened to us. I try to push ahead and move on so we can be happy."

In his singular admission she realized something about him. It wasn't so much that he'd put her feelings before his own because he didn't think his were valid or important. He did it so he wouldn't have to deal with the pain and grief himself. "But you can't just move on and forget what happens."

"Maybe forgetting is good sometimes." He said simply.

Alyssa sighed and hugged him. "Where would I be if I just forgot things? I'd be no better than I was when we lost Noah. I don't think forgetting is good at all. You taught me that. Maybe you should take your own advice sometimes."

He rested his chin on top of her head closing his eyes and inhaling the subtle scent of her perfume for a moment as his arms tightened around her. He knew she was only trying to get him to open up, to really deal with the negative emotions of events and mistakes in the past, but he just didn't want to at the moment it just made things so much easier to focus on Alyssa's emotions and her recovery and their recovery as a couple that dealing with his own emotions sometimes.

"Do you trust me?" He asked giving her a look as he pushed back slightly.

She looked up into his questioning gaze and smiled as she met his blue eyes with her emerald green ones. "Yes...I trust you with my life as my best friend, and with my heart as my lover. I know I've said that I thought I loved Collin...but I know without a shred of doubt in my head or my heart that I am head over heels in love with you. And the whole Brandon thing...I wanted to hurt you. Because I thought you had cheated on me and I was so hurt and I wanted you to feel it too. I know it makes things worse that I acted so rashly. But if I could take it back...I would in a heart beat. Because I know how much it hurt you really inside as much as you don't want to show me or even really admit to yourself."

"So what do you think we should do?" He asked biting back a few tears trying to maintain his composure.

Alyssa saw the glisten at the corners of his eyes and leaned up pressing her lips to his in a chaste but sweet kiss. He closed his eyes just reveling in feeling her full soft lips against his own. He groaned slightly as she pulled away slightly in disappointment. She grinned at him. "You know how you asked me to go to therapy with you?" She asked rhetorically.

He gave her a sideways glance as he trailed his hands along her curves starting at her waist and following the curve of her hips up her waist to her ribs coming just under her bust line and then trailing his hands back down to her hips hooking his thumbs in her belt loops. "Yeah...what is going on in that scheming brain of yours?" He asked tentatively.

She grinned and broke away from him grabbing her purse and his wallet and keys handing them to him. "Come with me..." She semi-commanded as she held out his wallet and keys to him.

He took the wallet and keys wondering what exactly she was trying to get him to do. He had a feeling that if she came right out and said it that he would most likely hate the idea. She knew him pretty well and that he didn't like doing certain things and if it was what he thought it was going to be he was sure that he was going to hate it. "Where?" He asked following her out of the house and out to his Range Rover.

She turned to him and grinned. "I want you to come to group therapy with me. I think it'll be really good."

He stopped and stared at her now that he wasn't exactly expecting. He thought maybe shopping and talking for the day would be it. Shopping he disliked but didn't mind if he got a little bit of a show with her changing her clothes. And the talking thing he wouldn't get bored with but talking about losing their son...in a big group? Now that he definitely wasn't comfortable with. Sure he didn't mind that Dr. Pinsky had recommended that Alyssa go there to sort out her own thoughts and come to terms with the final stages of the grieving process.

To him...grieving had always been a very private affair. When his parent's marriage crumbled and his family was destroyed he preferred to keep his emotions on the down low rather than broadcasting them to the world. Even when his grandmother died in 2004 he didn't say much if anything at all about it just preferring to keep that pain of losing her to himself despite Alyssa's incessant attempts to get him to just spill his feelings to her.

"I don't know Liss...I just don't feel right...with that..." He trailed off. He knew that once she got that determined look on her face that he'd have to just comply, and he knew that he was the same with some things when it came to her. He relented and got into the car listening to her instructions as he drove them to the church. While he knew that he wasn't going to win this argument with her it didn't mean he couldn't complain about it either. "I mean I'm not really sure if I need this Ali..."

Nick grimaced as Alyssa gave him a pathetic look. "I don't care Nick you should really come with me." She said with a coaxing tone. "The support group is really good I think you'll really be able to see that we're not alone in this and how lucky we are that it didn't completely rip us apart."

He gave her a sideways glance, "But we go to therapy it's not like we need to go to this."

Alyssa gave him a grin and took his hand as they walked up to the church where the support group was being held. She chuckled to herself at the striking parallel in his mood towards going and spilling their feelings and events where when she had gone the first time her feelings were much the same. "I know we go to therapy but I would really like you to experience this. It helped me out a lot and I really think it could help you open up."

"I don't need to open up. I'm an open book. See already open!" He scoffed making her roll her eyes at him.

"See now why don't I believe that Mr. Stoic?" She admonished. She took a look at him for a moment studying his expression. "What are you so afraid of talking about? Or even feeling? I mean yeah I got you to talk a little bit about Brandon today but you don't really talk much about any negative experience you've had and I'm going to be your wife. Well even as you said to me back in August that you consider me to already be your wife so I think this will help you start acting like it too. Being married means the ultimate in intimacy don't you think we should be more open with each other?" She quipped back.

Nick bit his lip. "No..." He trailed off. "I mean it's not something all that important I mean we got through it. We worked hard and got through everything. And to answer your last question I think we are doing just fine in the intimacy department. Remember this morning...what was that position called again?"

Alyssa let him open the door and the both walked in. "Nickolas come on...intimacy isn't strictly related to sex and you know it. If we're really going to make it as a married couple then I think this will be good for us. There are still things on your side that we need to work through. I've been working through my issues and I want to focus on yours too. I mean you've been going through therapy for longer than I have but I really just want us to talk more about what affect things have had on you." She assured.

Nick took a deep breath as they took their seats seeing a bunch of others sitting around the circle of chairs. Nick swallowed hard; it had always been hard for him to admit negative emotions aside from anger throughout his life. He looked around the room seeing some women and some couples and a few men as well. He took Alyssa's hand turning to her with a nervous glance. "I don't know if I can do this..."

Alyssa squeezed his hand and grinned at him, "Yes you can. You need this...and I'm here with you every step of the way and if you need to be alone I'll give you that, but I know you've been there for me through everything and I have been there for you in the past but not as much as I should have been in certain circumstances."

"But those circumstances you either were dealing with it yourself or weren't conscious remember?" He reasoned back.

"So...? I should have been there for you like you've always been there for me. And I'm sorry for that but I'm here now." She said turning her attention to the opposite end of the circle where the head of the group session sat.

Nick took a large breath holding onto her hand as the session began. He didn't know really what to expect but at the same time it scared him to death that he may have to open up in front of the crowd and normally in any other circumstance this crowd would be nothing for him to handle. Performing in front of thousands of screaming fans was one thing, he could be totally unlike himself, confident, cocky even funny and the fun-loving party boy that his fans knew and adored. He didn't know what this was going to be like but as he took a deep breath swallowing his pride he figured he might as well give it a try if it could get Alyssa to open up then it might just do the trick for him. He just hoped they wouldn't talk about it at therapy later.

That night...

Nick grinned as he mingled throughout the large crowd at the restaurant with Alyssa on his arm. She beamed at him with pride as she surveyed the beautiful restaurant that he'd had a major hand in designing to his own liking. When she'd seen the sign of the restaurant a brilliant blue fluorescent sign with the word Oceana spelled in beautiful yet crooked cursive she had had hard time believing that he'd left the decision of naming the restaurant that had been his brainchild to help his sister out as well as invest some of his fortune in a risky yet lucrative investment. Alyssa hugged Kellie as she and AJ had walked in.

"Wow Carter...nice going..." Kellie quipped looking at the restaurant seeing it already bustling with a large amount of people. Nick grinned and gave her a hug then moved his hand back to around Alyssa's waist lightly caressing the small of her back that was covered by her chocolate brown long sleeve cocktail dress. She definitely wanted to impress anyone that saw her and figured the classy yet extremely sexy dress was perfect for what she intended to show.

"I'm so proud of him, did you know he designed this place himself?" Alyssa gushed to her best friend.

"Well I'm sure he had help, if not then uh Nick seriously are you sure you're not the least bit gay because yeah not many straight men have this good of taste." She giggled back.

Alyssa snickered, "Hey now I think he has impeccable taste when he actually tries." She shot back referring more to his choice of fiancée rather than his taste in interior decorating and layout design.

"And the string of blonde bimbos before you?" Kellie retorted catching on to her joke.

"Temporary insanity, he just didn't want to admit that I'm the hottest chick ever." Alyssa joked sarcastically with a straight face then busted out into an absolute fit of giggles. Nick kissed her on the cheek making her smile at him. She loved that he'd decided to go with her to the group session. Ultimately it had been really quite an eye opener. He'd opened up a little bit and what he had opened up about had shocked Alyssa a lot. Shedding her thoughts of the day she immersed herself into her conversation with Kellie joking about how they were going to tour with the baby and Alyssa was already offering to baby-sit every once in a while so that AJ and Kellie could have some grown up alone time.

A moment later Nick hollered at a tall man than entered in through the front. Alyssa looked over and grinned widely seeing Tommy Lee standing there in ripped jeans, an Ed Hardy tee-shirt and a black blazer over it. She followed Nick over as they both greeted their good friend. "Alyssa...wow...you look great." He announced as he gave her a hug and also a once over with his eyes.

Alyssa grinned and laughed a little, "Yeah it's been too long Tommy we've missed you!"

Tommy shot a look to Nick and he smirked, "No fucking way...you two?" He remarked seeing the knowing smiles between the two of them. Alyssa lifted up her hand and showed him the ring Nick had placed on her finger ten months before hand. Tommy's eyes widened it really had been quite a long time since he and Nick had talked.  He shook Nick's hand, "Congratulations man...when's the wedding?"

"May, you'll be getting an invitation in January." Alyssa replied.

"Wow that's pretty fucking awesome guys. So when did you finally tell her?" He said turning his attention to Nick.

Nick laughed a little, "Her 21st birthday. You know got her liquored up first." He joked making the three of them laugh after a moment Nick and Alyssa explained in short how they had gotten started and that though they had their fair share of drama that they couldn't be happier together.

A few minutes later she excused herself to go to the ladies room that was right next to the loud bustle of the kitchen. She passed by it and went into one of the stalls. While in there, she heard another woman come into the bathroom and stand in front of the mirror obviously distressed and cooling herself off with some water from the sink. Alyssa walked out of the stall a moment later and was met with an all too familiar face. She paid no attention to her as she washed her hands and checked her light makeup in the mirror adding a little bit more light lipstick and tousled her hair. Normally this action on anyone else would make Alyssa begin to laugh hysterically but at the present moment she didn't think laughter would all that appropriate.

Emma chewed her lip nervously and contemplated bolting. She knew that Alyssa knew what had transpired between Nick and herself. She hoped for a somewhat pleasant encounter but knew that women didn't take lightly to other women trying to snatch their fiancés right from under their noses. She stopped for a moment though, figuring she needed to get it over with. "I'm glad I got you alone." She said softly making Alyssa look at her through the mirror. "I just wanted to say I'm really sorry for what happened between Nick and I. He told me that he had told you about it and I just wanted to apologize for my behavior." She said explaining herself to a point.

Alyssa almost wanted to laugh at the completely scared and nervous look that Emma had displayed across her brow and the nervous twitch to her hands. "Apology accepted." She said turning to her. She watched the nervousness change to a look of relief. "However, I would really appreciate it if you stayed away from my fiancé in the future. I'm not the jealous type and I do trust him implicitly. But I most certainly don't trust you. I hope you understand that though I may have forgiven you for what you tried to do, I will most definitely never forget it." She added with a stern resolute glance at the girl. She brushed past her a moment later leaving a rather stunned woman in her wake. Alyssa took a deep breath and looked down at her shaking hands after she had exited the bathroom. She couldn't help her own anger and frustration as well as her own personal fear that Nick would cheat on her get to her just a little bit. If this girl had tempted him once, then it seemed logical that he might be tempted again later on.

Uncomfortable with her present state of mind she shook the disturbing thoughts from her head and walked back over finding Nick not far from his original position near the door greeting everyone. She walked up behind him and linked arms with him pressing her lips to his cheek momentarily. Nick turned and saw her smiling face at him and grinned widely. "Find everything okay?"

Alyssa nodded and moved her hand down his forearm to link their hands squeezing his reassuringly. "Yeah." She replied as she watched Emma begin to make the rounds as everyone began to sit and start with the first course. Alyssa kept a stern glance and made Nick give her an odd look. "What?" She asked feeling his eyes on her.

"You sure that you're all right?" He asked back with a concerned expression in his brow.

Alyssa sighed a little and grinned at him. "Everything's all right." She replied and gently pressed her mouth to his in a sweet kiss.

The following day...


Alyssa sat at her desk scrolling through and making some final notes on one of her student's papers before emailing it back to the waiting student. It was one of the things she really loved about teaching, the fact that she could help mold her students' minds into critical thinkers. It was the same tactic many of her mentor's at the college used to shape how students looked at literary not just as a bunch of words that formed into a cohesive plotline but also as a cultural commentary and how brilliantly authors could paint a clear and complex picture of the characters and places within each story giving them real depth and real human complexity. The best part of the course she taught was that it encompassed some of the authors that she herself adored as a young adult and found it even easier to discuss them at length with her students through the discussion board and through phone conferences.

Having checked her email and done her discussion set for the day she glanced at the time and sighed, it was only a little before 11 in the morning and she'd completed everything she needed to for the day. She pulled out her notebook she'd designated for all the wedding notes and went over the latest things and ideas from the wedding planner. Alyssa grinned to herself as she lost her mind in a daydream about what life was going to be like being married to him. Losing herself she didn't even realized she'd been doodling hearts all over the page in the notebook. She smirked and saw that just underneath one she'd drawn out her name or at least what it will be once they marry. She stared at her own signature seeing Alyssa M. Carter staring back at her in her unique cursive script. She chuckled that her initials would be AC like how Angel and Aaron's were.

Aaron, she thought of him and sighed worried about how he was doing with everything. Getting up she decided to go over and check on him maybe the two could go on a walk and have a nice talk. She loved that she was beginning to get really close with each of Nick's siblings and couldn't wait to call them family, despite their varying eccentricities. Alyssa walked down the stairs passing Nick on his way up. "Where you off to?" He asked curiously.

She grinned and stopped going back up to one stair below where he was standing. "I'm going to go to the beach for a walk. Clear my head, maybe go see Aaron." She explained stepping up onto his stair and leaned up kissing him softly. "I shouldn't be too long just need to get out for a little bit, is that okay?" She asked hoping he'd be okay with her wanting to go out by herself and wouldn't be offended with it.

He gave her a sympathetic look, "Of course it's all right. I'm going to be just working in the office making phone calls and such. Why are you even asking if it's all right?"

"I just don't want you to think I'm purposely leaving you out is all. I was thinking that I should take Aaron to go talk for a bit maybe bring him back here for dinner."

"Sweet, I think that would be cool. It'll be nice to have him over. I worry about him a lot and I think you're one of the best influences he has with everything we've both been through, I'm glad he has you." He admitted making Alyssa cock her head to the side and grin at him. He placed his hand at the side of her neck just beneath the hinge of her jaw using his thumb to stroke the smooth skin of her cheek and traced the line of her jaw delicately finding it nearly irresistible that she cared so much about his own family as if they were her own. He leaned down stopping just as their lips barely touched causing her lips quiver at the slight almost nonexistent touch.

Intoxicated by their closeness and craving more she wrapped her arms around him and kissed him passionately backing them up against the wall letting him pin her hips against it with his own as their tongues dueled playfully. Nick broke the kiss momentarily looking at her as he leaned into her pressing their bodies together feeling her heart pounding in her chest as they kissed aggressively. Reluctantly Alyssa broke the kiss and chuckled a bit. "Okay seriously...we're finishing that tonight..."

"Anything special you want tonight?" He asked playfully with a low rasp in his voice.

She sighed happily and chuckled, "How about we do what you want tonight?" She laughed as his face completely sobered for a moment then broke out in a smirk.

"You sure about that? It could take a while..." He replied implying that his intentions were bent on taking his time with her.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." She grinned back before going down the stairs grabbing her shoes wallet, keys and phone and headed out to her truck to go to Aaron's.

Nick turned and leaned against the wall resting his head against it in frustration. Not that he didn't completely love their playfulness but at the same time to possessing her fully dangled in front of him then only to be taken away just as he was ready to take it up a notch drove him crazy with desire for her. He figured that was all a part of her charm and how she kept his interest renewed everyday instead of getting stale as most relationships did. Luckily they had been able to keep the fires going for quite sometime despite all their trials and nearly losing each other in the process.

Shaking his head at himself for being so completely whipped he walked up the stairs into the office they shared and saw her notebook lying out spread out from her planning. He walked over curious to see what she'd been taking notes on and saw her earlier doodles of hearts and flowers all around and then to the middle of the page where in ink was her signature with his last name instead of her own. His face broke out in a wide grin as he looked at the script.

It made his heart warm and imagine himself what married life was going to be like for them. If they were able to meet any hardship head on as they have in their relationship as they'd seen in the three years they'd been a couple then married life should be a walk in the park. Although deep within his own angst and fear he was scared to death that getting married was going to doom their happiness and dull the fiery passion between them. He knew that he couldn't possibly fall out of love with her, but he still feared becoming like his parents in so many ways. He wondered so many times if his parents had loved each other in the beginning of their relationship the way he and Alyssa do. He thought they might have thought they loved each other but were reluctant to realize that it wasn't a true feeling of love. All he knew was that it was his greatest fear to become like his parents, out of love and hating each other for drama they'd put each other and their children through.

Meanwhile...

Alyssa knocked on Aaron's door smiling as he opened it standing in a pair of sweats and a tee shirt. "Hey you...want to go for a walk?" She asked earnestly. His dark brown eyes rolled at her eagerness.

"You're nuts you realize this?" He remarked grabbing his keys, phone and wallet walking out of his apartment with her. She grinned triumphantly and walked with him out of the building and they walked down the street heading towards the local star bucks. "Can we go someplace else?" He asked a little wary seeing the various photographers already over by the popular celebrity hang out.

Alyssa took pity on him and they turned down the street heading toward the beach instead. She knew that the photographers would be at the beach anyways to see what celebs would show up and what not. "So how are you?" She asked as they leisurely made their way to the beach that was just a few blocks away from his apartment building.

Aaron glanced at her for a moment before turning his gaze back to the sidewalk in front of them. "I guess, I've been all right. Seeing everyone at thanksgiving was fun. You never told me your grandmother was such a spitfire."

Alyssa chuckled a bit as they crossed the street and walked down the sandy hill to the beach. "Nana's always been quite the forward thinker." She remarked with a grin as they both took a long stroll along the surf. "She's my dad's mom. I never really knew how much of a progressive person she is until I started dating Nick. She was like well I hope you two are sleeping together since you live in the same house. That right there shocked the utter hell out of Nick and I."

They made their way back up the sand away from the high tide breathing in the salty sea air. "Because you thought she'd be more traditional?" He asked with a snarky grin as they sat down on the soft yet lumpy sand.

Alyssa nodded, "Well yeah, hell she was born in the 1920s and she's strict Catholic I'd think she'd be a bit more conservative on the idea of premarital sex."

Aaron snicker-snorted at her comment as he looked out at the surf then down to his hands that were clasped in front of his knees. "When did you know you were in love?" He asked quietly making Alyssa give him a strange look.

"With Nick?" She questioned asking the obvious.

Aaron rolled his eyes at her, "Yes, with Nick. When did you know?"

Alyssa grinned and looked out at the ocean chewing on her lip. She looked down quickly then over to Aaron with a sideways glance. "You promise me you won't laugh?"

"Oh come on you know every time someone asks that and the other person promises not to laugh, it's practically impossible not to laugh." He shot back countering her question.

Alyssa snickered and covered her face with her hands and then looked over at him. "I was 16 when I realized that I was first honestly in love with him."

"Wait...what? Sixteen? You two weren't even dating back then..." Aaron started rambling about how absurd it seemed.

Alyssa nodded, "I know, I know but I couldn't help it, it was way more intense than any crush I'd ever had on anyone and it took me talking to Lori about it to realize, oh fuck I'm in love with my best friend... And after we got together, I couldn't just tell him how I felt, I was so scared that if I admitted it to him that he'd lose interest and leave me or worse that he'd get hurt. I still hadn't gotten through losing Collin...and then with my dad being sick in high school then again when Nick and I were dating, I was just so afraid that loving someone meant I was going to lose them. Sounds ridiculous I know...but I just don't think I was even ready for the longest time to really let myself feel the full weight of everything."

"What do you mean?" He asked cocking his head to the side slightly his brow furrowed in confusion. He didn't really get the full gist of what she was saying to the point that she was trying to get across to him.

Alyssa sighed and turned to him sitting with her legs folded and her hands resting momentarily before moving as she spoke illustrating her words physically. "Well love is an extremely intense feeling. It's very consuming, and has the power to completely change and mold you into a new person one you thought that you could never be. Because of Nick I'm stronger than I ever have been. I've had some of my weakest moments in Nick's presence and he stood by my side, sometimes even using tough love to shock me out of my own stupidity. Without him, and how he makes me feel, how intense those feelings are I just don't know what would have happened..." She continued gathering her thoughts as she went trying to form them from randomness to cohesive thoughts. "I mean look at it this way...have you ever really changed for a woman?"

"Changed, how?"

"Not flirting shamelessly and picking up numbers in clubs when you're out with your boys or your brother for instance...Did you ever stop doing that for the entirety of a relationship or was it more you tried it in the beginning and saw that it wasn't working for you?"

"The latter I guess."

"See with Nick and I, we've made our fair share of mistakes, Brandon being one major one for me, and then Nick almost made a mistake with Emma. But...in all the time we've been together neither one of us has thought of being with another person. Emma may have been temptation and he may have fantasized about her here and there but he never followed his thoughts through to conclusion. Just like I've never thought of being with anyone else since he and I started dating. We've been so happy from the beginning that being with anyone else didn't cross our minds."

"But what about when you broke up? Didn't it scare you that you'd have to go date again with someone else?" He asked. "Like when Kellie and I broke up I was a mess but maybe it was out of fear that I wouldn't find anyone as great as her again. Did you feel that way when you two broke up?"

Alyssa chewed her lip, "The thought had crossed my mind a time or two I'll give you that. However, I knew that he and I would get back together because I knew in my heart that there's no one else that's going to make me feel these intense feelings like he does. It was all a question of when I was going to let my stubborn pride go and just be with him fully."

"Hmm, good point..."

"Yeah, it's hard to explain how real love is. It's a simple emotion that has this insane complexity to it. I know I'm not really making much sense, maybe Nick would be able to give you a better interpretation in simpler terms than I can." She shrugged. "I just know what I feel. Don't fret much about another failed relationship. Just means that it's not meant to be. But that also means that you're one step closer to finding the one person who's going to completely turn your world upside down." She explained trying to give him a slight pep talk and lift his spirits about being single yet again.

"It's just hard you know? Trusting someone...It seems like every time I turn around that I let a girl in and finally trust her she either goes and betrays me or she ends up leaving me. It's stupid and it's getting annoying."

"The reason for that is because you don't trust the people who you should and trust the ones you shouldn't. In most cases with you and with your brother sometimes too that's what happens. You two are so scarily similar in that sense. You both have good intentions and your hearts are in the right places but...sometimes you put your guard up too quickly and in other situations not quickly enough. Take Paris for example, Nick knew she was going to be bad news, her reputation alone spoke a lot of her behavior and he wanted to believe that she was different than what the media portrayed her as. And in many ways she was very different than what the reputation was but in the end his first instinct ended up being the right one."

"True...I mean it just sucks that it's so hard to know who to trust."

Alyssa nodded, "But life's like that for everyone. Yeah you've got a slightly more extreme case because of money and fame and all that but everyone has that crisis in their lives where they don't know who to trust. A lot of times people turn inward to their families as the only people that they can trust but in some cases not even the people who we love the most can be trusted. It sucks but it's reality. Thankfully for you, you have an amazing brother who would lie on a bed of hot coals for you and your sisters. Yeah Jane and Bob aren't really in the equation but that's by their choice. You can be an amazing person in spite of having less than stellar parents you know?"

Aaron sighed and nodded, "I can see why he loves you..." He said with a grin. "I mean hell I had a small crush on you for forever but I can definitely see why he's marrying you. Now if I can find a girl who is level-headed like you are maybe I'd have a chance..."

Alyssa chuckled, "Level-headed? Psh...I'm half Italian remember? Nothing level-headed about us..."

"Nice way to perpetuate the stereotype..." Aaron retorted chiding her for pretty much stating the old stereotype of the hot-blooded Italian temper.

"Well it's true a lot of us are very passionate stubborn people it's a part of the culture I was brought up in. To have your own opinion and stick to it was applauded more than anything in my family. At least until it turned around and bit my parents in the ass when each of us hit our teen years."

"You're really lucky to have had such an awesome family..."

"I am lucky, but so are you. You could have been an only child stuck with the parents you have. Instead you have four crazy people that love you and have been through it all with you. And with the addition of Mike, myself and Wes, you've got even more people that care about you than some people can say they have in a lifetime. I hope you realize that you aren't alone and that as cliché and cheesed out as this sounds that we're all here when you need it. Now come on let's go get something to drink I'm thirsty from all this talking." She said with a cheeky grin as they both stood dusting themselves off and began walking back up the sandy hill to the street.

A few hours later...

Nick stood in the kitchen reading through the monthly bills sorting out by date what was due. The house had been oddly quiet, almost too quiet for his liking since Alyssa had left. He'd tried playing music, videogames, hell even a movie and nothing really seemed to pique his interest. He rolled his eyes at himself figuring he was just bored because the only thing he wanted to do involved little to no clothing and his fiancée. The front door opening and loud laughter emanating from it interrupted his thoughts and he grinned figuring Alyssa must have brought Aaron back for dinner. He waited for them to walk into the kitchen where he saw them each carrying half empty star bucks cups. "None for me? I'm offended..." He said mocking a pout at Alyssa.

"See I told you he'd be a total bitch if we didn't get him something." Aaron mocked back.

Alyssa tried to contain her laughter but failed miserably as her face scrunched in a quiet snicker. "Be nice Aaron. Besides you're not a big coffee drinker mister..." She said eyeing Nick suspiciously as she set her cup down and leaned up slightly behind him resting her chin on his shoulder.

Nick chuckled a little and looked over his shoulder at her, "Well you have me there." He replied with a playful smirk.

Aaron watched the exchange between the two and smiled happy to see his brother as happy as he could be. He sighed a little to himself knowing that he might have had that kind of happiness for himself but instead wasted it on his own selfish indulgences.

"So what are you doing?" Alyssa asked eyeing the various bills strewn around the island countertop. "Organizing the monthly finances I see." She observed.

"Yeah I got bored figured I'd get everything organized and all that for when things are due and such." He explained making Alyssa's grin grow wider by each syllable that he uttered.

"Wow you must have been really bored then...you hate doing anything with the bills let alone organizing them into a cohesive plan."

Nick rolled his eyes and pinched her side making her shriek and pull away from him. "See don't mock me that's not nice." Alyssa shot him a look and chuckled as she took her drink and finished it off giggling a little from the sugar high. "Ugh you did not let her get that triple chocolate frappucino did you?"

"So what of it?" Aaron asked thinking that Alyssa's hyper demeanor was more than slightly hilarious.

Nick closed his eyes and shook his head, "You don't have to sleep next to her, I do..."

"Hey now you do that by choice I never said you had to sleep with me..." She countered then busted out at her own comment, "I mean next to me."

Nick snorted at her and grinned, "I got it, but hey it's only because you sleep naked."

"That's because it's easier than trying to get undressed when I'm half awake in the morning because someone happens to be horny." She retorted as Aaron made a gagging noise. "Oh shut up." She said smacking his arm with the back of her hand.

"So...what are we having for dinner?" Aaron asked changing the subject.

"Anything you'd like?" Alyssa asked going over to the pantry. "We've got pasta, soup, I'm sure we've got plenty of stuff in the fridge to make some barbecued chicken and salad?" She offered going over the mental list of things they had in the house.

"Chicken sounds good." Both men said simultaneously making her chuckle.

"Wow is there an echo in here?" She scoffed making both of them roll their eyes as she went over to the refrigerator and took out the chicken, vegetables and then got all the seasonings she was going to need. "You two don't mind helping right?"

"As long as I don't have to cook I'm good." Aaron replied knowing that his own cooking skills involved one of two things, a toaster or a microwave.

"Good then you're on table detail. We'll eat on the back porch tonight it's nice enough without being fricking freezing yet."

"LA is not cold." Nick retorted back arguing lightly.

"It is when you grew up in Arizona where the average daily temperature is closer to 90 than 60." She shot back.

Aaron chuckled at them and grabbed some glasses from the cabinet and walked out to the patio to the table and set it for the three of them. He walked back inside rolling his eyes at how domestic his own older brother seemed to be so odd yet comforting. Nick gave him an odd look and patted him on the shoulder reassuringly. A calm overwhelming silence enveloped the room the only sound coming from Alyssa's hands as she drug a knife through various vegetables for salad and also to grill. "So Ang tells me that you set a place for the wedding in May right?" He asked with a smile breaking the short awkward silence in the room.

"Yep, in Hawaii we'll have to leave that night for more of the tour the next day in Europe." Nick replied as he wiped his hands and grabbed some silverware dropping a kiss to Alyssa's shoulder before heading out on the back patio with Aaron behind him carrying napkins and a bottle of wine. Nick gave his brother a once over noticing how calm he was as opposed to his normally hyper and near obnoxious behavior. "No offense man but uh who are you and what have you done with my annoying punk of a brother?" Nick asked giving him a weird look.

Aaron rolled his eyes and moved his arm as if he were going to throw a fork at him making Nick flinch and give him a stern glance. "In all seriousness it's just been kind of hard lately with just being by myself yet again. It's not something I'm all the way used to...being completely on my own without a relationship or living with one of my siblings."

Nick nodded and patted him on his shoulder. "I know how you feel being that alone is scary as fuck. Why do you think I jumped at the chance to move to LA and live with Ali?"

"Uh ‘cause you wanted to bone her that's why." Aaron retorted grinning like an idiot.

Nick's face broke out in a grin, "There's my little bro I know and loathe...just kidding but seriously it wasn't just that I was harboring some serious feelings for her although that was part of it...The big part was that I was alone for the first time in a long while so I know what you're going through."

"She's totally got you doesn't she?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like earlier today when we went to the beach and just talked about everything, she said some scarily similar stuff to what you're saying about her."

Nick grinned and sighed a little, "And you're thinking, gee why can't I find a girl I can have that connection with?"

"Yeah..."

"Dude you're not even 20 yet...you've got plenty of time...Most guys don't get married 'til well into their late 20s hell maybe even their 30s."

"I know I have time, just it sucks being literally the fifth wheel in the family. Angel has her new boyfriend Colin, Beej has Wes and Leslie has Mike and you know you and Ali are closer than ever. It's like where do I fit in? Angel doesn't even have time to talk on the phone with me much less hang out."

"Aw man I'm sorry...I didn't think that you felt left out. Is that why you've been kind of acting out with partying and women lately? I mean don't get me wrong you're young and you can do whatever you want...but is partying as hard as you do really what you want?"

"No I just want to feel like I matter, at parties it's like I'm a god because I'm the life of the party and everyone loves having me come out with them. But sometimes I wish I could just chill with my family but ya'll are always busy."

Nick chewed his lip for a moment a plan forming in his head, "How about next time you're bored and Ali and I are out of town and you want to hang...fly out and surprise us. Hell the others would love to see you...even Kellie would be pleasantly surprised to see you."

"Yeah see that's why I haven't done that. Its still kind of hard to face her...especially now since they're expecting."

"Hey she still cares about you. Even though it's not romantic feelings anymore she does still worry about you, you know?"

Aaron nodded and chewed on the inside of his cheek. "I'll think about coming out to see you guys. I'm not promising I will but I'll think about it."

"Hey that's all I can ask right?" Nick replied giving Aaron a sympathetic grin. Just then Alyssa came walking out holding a plate filled with raw chicken that had been appropriately seasoned.

"What is this I send you two out here and you don't even fire up the grill?" She joked sarcastically. Nick laughed and went over turning on the propane tank to the large barbecue grill lighting the grill with a match. Alyssa set the chicken onto the grill hearing it hiss at the sudden change in temperature. Taking the plate back into the kitchen she looked out at the two of them seeing just how similar their mannerisms were. She smirked to herself and brought out the large serving tray of fresh vegetables to be grilled and a bowl full of leafy greens for the salad.

"Is that everything?" Nick asked with a grin taking the dishes from her as he manned the grill.

"Yep I think that should do it." She said simply dropping a kiss to his cheek before going over and being handed a wine glass from her future brother-in-law. She took a seat and relaxed in the beautiful weather figuring this was going to be one of the last times where they'd truly be able to just have a relaxing evening at home until the tour would be over.

Late that night...

The house was quiet as Alyssa quietly padded down the stairs and into the kitchen. Unable to sleep she figured she'd make herself some tea and maybe channel surf for a bit before trying to go back to bed. She poured some water in the pot and placed it on a burner hearing it click on as she turned the dial. The silence overwhelmed her a bit since both Nick and Aaron were upstairs and fast asleep. Sometimes at night when the house would be this quiet she often found herself thinking about how she was going to miss this place, and all the memories that lay within each of its walls. She heard footsteps shuffle along the tile and the familiar sound of Layla's nails click across in the footsteps wake. She looked up seeing Nick emerge rubbing his eyes as he dragged into the kitchen, his eyes unaccustomed to the rather bright lights. "What are you doing up?" His voice rasped having woken up just a few minutes before.

Alyssa grinned, "Couldn't sleep, want some tea?" She offered.

He nodded and sat at one of the stools next to the island countertop that held the stove. He covered his face attempting to wipe the sleep from his face. Alyssa walked behind him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders pressing her full weight against him as she hugged him from behind. Staying there for only a few moments she then moved away and chuckled to herself as he watched her walk around the room in one of his big oversized tee-shirts that went down to her lower thighs just above her knees.

"You know I'm glad that you and Aaron are getting close." Nick said matter-of-factly.

Alyssa grabbed a pint of Ben and Jerry's Phish Food from the freezer and two spoons and sat adjacent to him handing him a spoon letting them both dive into the ice cream. "Why do you say that?" She asked pausing just before she took her first spoonful.

Nick mulled over her question momentarily and then spoke a moment later, "Well I just...I don't know I guess it makes me feel good to know that if I can't be there for any of my siblings that I have you to take my place."

"I wouldn't be replacing you Nick..."

"No I mean if I'm off traveling and can't get to them and they need one of us then I'm glad that you'd be able to be there for them when I can't."

"Oh okay well..." She said realizing what he meant she blushed slightly thinking how flattered she was in being pretty much told that she was as good as he was to his siblings. "Thank you..." She said in pure gratitude. "I mean I know my siblings adore you, they always have. Yeah Clark may want to kill you if you mention the fact that you get to fuck his baby sister but he told me once that he always thinks of you as the brother he never had and always wanted growing up."

Then it was Nick's turn to blush at the compliment, "Seriously?"

"Yeah, my dad wouldn't have taken you to buy this if he didn't think you were worth it." She said holding up her left hand.

"Very true, I always thought you were his favorite you know? Since you two were always so close...but I think he was that way with all three of you wasn't he?"

"Oh yeah he stressed that we all got equal time with him and mom. It just sucks that he couldn't be around now...you know I don't have my own father to walk me down the aisle at my wedding? I hate that he can't be there."

"I know...back when I was first starting to come to your family events he always made a point to talk to me about other things than you but somehow you always came up in conversation. I think he was trying to make sure I had honorable intentions."

"Oh yeah he did that to Lori and to Angela even Collin. I think he also wanted to make sure you were as good of a person as I was saying that you were."

"Do you want to know how he told me he knew about us?" Nick offered figuring the story would amuse her. She nodded and he sighed placing the spoon down. "Well he took me out to get coffee and we were sitting down and he goes ‘is my daughter a good kisser?'"

"No way!" She said in shock her eyes widening and her mouth hanging open illustrating her feeling quite vividly. Then her face broke in a wide smile. "Figures he'd say something like that. It's just so him to catch you off guard like that."

Nick shrugged, "Sure as hell did the trick. But anyways he was like ‘I know you and her live together and I knew that when she moved in that her innocence was going to be shot to hell so don't worry about that I'm not going to kill you'. It was hilarious looking back but God damn was I scared that he was going to kill me. I wouldn't be surprised if he had heard us getting it on but thankfully he didn't say if he ever had. I'm not sure if I could deal with Jamie saying ‘oh yeah I heard you nailing my daughter last night'."

Alyssa tried to hold back her laughter but a snicker broke through her wide smile. "I think he was probably, ‘oh thank God finally they're doing it!' Years of pent up sexual frustration and tension tends to get noticed by other people you know. Hell Aunt Ginny and Nana still make fun of me for how you and I acted that summer we went to go see them."

"Why? I mean they tried to talk me into telling you how I felt and of course Marc threatened to castrate me. But I didn't think we ever showed much of how we felt about each other."

"Believe me we did. Looking back all the times that your girls were threatened by me it always came after they met me and saw how you and I acted around each other. Fuck, Michael used to get pissed because you watch me. Back then I thought it was just out of habit because of when I tried to kill myself and you watched me like a hawk."

Nick bit his lip, "Partially...yeah...but the other part was that I was trying to simultaneously muster up the courage to tell you how I felt and also keep myself from doing so. Like I desperately wanted to tell you...but I was so fucked up back then with cheating and just freaked out that I would hurt you so I convinced myself not to. All the other women were just well just distractions."

Alyssa raised an eyebrow at him, "Really?"

"Yeah really...I mean I knew on some level that you were pretty much going to be the only one there for me through everything and keeping you as a best friend instead of a girlfriend seemed to me like that would be a fool proof way of keeping you around."

Alyssa laughed a little and leaned in pressing her lips to his momentarily. "Hmm see you can kiss me and I'm still here..."

He snickered and shook his head, "Yes I know that now...back then I was scared and dumb."

"Hey at least you admit it." She shot back jokingly as she took the tea pot off the stove and poured two cups of the boiling water and brewed chamomile. She returned to her spot a moment later letting the cups cool so they wouldn't burn themselves.

He rolled his eyes and leaned back in and kissed her softly making her grin into the kiss for a moment. Just as soon as the kiss began it ended as they pulled away from each other. "I mean hell we know so much more about each other than we did back then and I don't just mean details that you like to discuss with Kellie and Lori but also just how we understand each other now. All that's happened and all these things we're doing and planning...it's pretty crazy when you think about it."

She nodded and took another spoonful of the ice cream finishing off the pint and tossed it into the trash. "You're right, but I think there's still so much for us to learn about each other."

"Yeah well we have forever for that...I mean isn't a real marriage about just taking each day one at a time right?"

"Exactly my mom and dad's relationship was so good because they could have knock down drag out arguments about trivial shit like bills or other stuff and then like 20 minutes later they'd be smiling and laughing. I idolized their relationship for so long and really still do because they never stopped trying to work on their relationship. I think that's why they lasted. I mean no offense but your parents might have worked if..."

"It might have..." He interrupted. "If my parents would have focused on loving each other and not how much damage one could cause the other and putting us kids in the middle of it."

Alyssa nodded, "That I'd have to agree with too. I feel bad sometimes that Aaron got a lot of the brunt of it being forced to choose between them and not really having a way out."

"Yeah I think that's the reason he started smoking pot in the first place and partying hard before he's even legal I mean hell I've gotten drunk with Aaron before but still." He explained.

"I am glad that you two have your sisters. I mean they aren't without their faults either but they love you two more than either of you know. Leslie hates being so far away from you and Angel was so worried that you wouldn't be able to get through to him that she came to me to try to get him back on the right track. Bobbie? She's got such a good heart, yeah she guards it like it's Fort Knox but you can totally tell her heart is in the right place most of the time."

"Yeah it's just hard sometimes to divide time between all of them then us and then work it's just hard."

"Well you have me to help you now so I wouldn't worry so much about it, no matter what it is we'll face it together." She said confidently resting her hand on his giving it a reassuring squeeze.

Chapter 20: Mr. And Mrs. Dorough by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter! I just finished chapter 21 also and if i get a substantial amount of chapter 22 done then I shall post that as well. Thanks for the reviews everyone! I hoep to get a chance to respond to each one of them either tonight or tomorrow! Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty: Mr. and Mrs. Dorough

**************************************
Alyssa Narrating:

I hate being separated. It seems that this year has brought a lot of separation between Nick and I. Thankfully it's only made our relationship all the more resilient but still. I'm sitting here on a plane to Florida, one of the first times that I've been there without going with or meeting up with Nick. True I'll be seeing him in a few days once he's at Howie's wedding.

That right there is awesome. Howie's finally getting married. Lord knows we knew it was going to happen because well hell he and Leigh have been together for years. It's logical that this would be the next step for the two of them. It's so funny to look at the guys now. All in extremely committed relationships.

For a long time I thought Nick would ever become as settled as Kevin or Brian let alone that Alex would get to that point too. Watching all five of them grow over the years even in a completely outside capacity as myself and much of their fan base has watched them is simply amazing. True I did get a lot of what really happened from Nick's viewpoint, especially when Alex went into rehab. That summer in itself was a real eye opener to Nick's personality. Before then it had all been about how we could have fun and forget about life and just talk about fun stuff.

Yeah we talked about touring and family and all that, but it rarely ever strayed into the negative aspects of our individual lives. But that summer, after I attempted suicide, getting me to open up at the same time got him to open up as well.

And that's what I hope will happen as well now more than ever. I realize now that he's always tried to be this strong person for me. But what I think he's starting to understand is that I can be just as strong for him when he needs it. I know there are certain things that he hasn't shared with me. How certain events in our long standing friendship and relationship have affected him in a lot of ways.

It sounds ridiculous that he hasn't told me before I know, but I think I needed to get through my personal demons to really understand that he was hiding his emotions in favor of what I was going through. Which if you really look at it, it wasn't helping me at all. Almost as if this whole thing was a really vicious cycle where neither of us could progress. But now that we've gone to an outside source for help I really believe that we're to the point where we can reach that level of honesty where if there's something that affects the both of us that we can talk about it and move on from it as a couple.

Sounds corny as all fuck I know but that's the thing we've been lacking from our recovery. And the sooner we gain that aspect, then the easier it'll be to deal with future events that will inevitably come up.

It's been quite a ride so far this year and I'll be completely happy when we celebrate the new year and get a completely new beginning. Next year is going to be insane I can tell already, between the tour, Kellie and Alex's baby, Nick's and my wedding and moving to Monterey all in the process. It's going to definitely going to take a lot of getting used to. I'm so used to being so close to everything and now I'm moving five hours away? Hell we're just south of downtown Monterey where the house is being built. I do love the area, there's good schools for when we have kids and all that but still. At least it's not far from Olivia, San Francisco isn't as far as it is from Los Angeles so pretty much it's the mid point between Clark, Lori, Kellie, work in LA and then Olivia up in San Francisco. And we've already decided to keep the house on Venice beach. I can't simply just part with it. Not after all the memories we've held there. So I figure when I have to go to LA or when Nick has to go to LA for business then instead of driving for 10 hours round trip that we'd have a place to stay overnight.

Not living in the craziness that is LA is definitely going to take some getting used to. Not having the paparazzi hounding us every time we go grocery shopping will be a welcome change that's for sure.

I almost can't wait to move to our new home though as weird as that sounds, the house is going to be amazing. There's a beach just down the way from our backyard that we share with a few other houses that's almost like having a private beach in itself although not at the same time. Then there's the dock where Nick can keep his boat instead of at a marina. Of course the property is amazing it's nearly 20 acres and the designs for the house and guest house is going to make it amazing being able to see the ocean first thing in the morning is something I've become rather partial to living in LA. And if we couldn't have that then I wouldn't be as happy about this major change in our lives.

It's amazing at how things change in the past few years. Going from a college kid living with my best friend to engaged and a college professor? I definitely didn't expect the way my life twisted and turned. But then again who does right?

I know as much as I envy Kellie and Alex for having a baby, that I'm going to be one of the first ones there when he or she is born. I'm completely happy for them and really I think it shows that I'm ready to try again when the time is right of course. I know I want to wait to try again until after we're married. Having a baby in the midst of planning a wedding? Not a great idea. And knowing that my sister, and my best friend are both having babies is a little bit heady by itself.

Besides I have so much else to keep me occupied and that's not even thinking about the wedding. Christmas for one thing is going to be interesting for sure. Going to Arizona to just relax and have fun with my family and spend time with my fiancé without deadlines and sound checks to make is just bliss to me.

If there's one thing this year's taught me it's most definitely how much I love and appreciate my family. It shows how much they care just by the fact they were willing to give us the space we needed to heal and grow.

And really it made me see how lucky I am to have a family like I have. And it makes me smile when I see my friends who have amazing families. Like Howie's for instance. He comes from an enormous family and they adore Leigh and her family. I'm actually kind of excited to see them get married. And helping Leigh out by just hanging out with her before the wedding and helping her get some of the fringe things done a head of time I'm sure is purely so she can just relax on their day.

I know Nick's really happy for the two of them. He and Howie have always been super close and he thinks the world of Leigh. Which is a little surprising considering Nick's reaction when Brian got married. He was upset that one of his best friends had gotten married and felt abandoned from what I can remember. I think also at the same time he was really young and he and Amanda were in the final throes of their relationship so I'm sure that had a lot to do with how he felt. It's been 7 years since Brian got married and it's definitely been one hell of a ride for him I'm sure.

And as time passes I hope he realizes that he can depend on me the same way that I depend on him.

End Narration.
****************************************

"I don't know how to thank you Ali, you're a real life saver." Leigh said with an appreciative grin.

Alyssa smiled back as they sat eating their lunches, a well deserved break from their hectic day. From getting the final dress fittings done to getting Leigh's family settled in the hotel and now they could relax for the rest of the afternoon before the wedding gets underway the following day. "You're welcome Leigh, seriously it's no problem, it's not like I had much else to do. I got up early and finished setting up my final online and then I called Nick to make sure he got in all right in Nashville. So really I should thank you for giving me something that would keep me from getting bored."

"True. I'm sure you could have found something to entertain you though." Leigh reminded making Alyssa snicker.

"Yeah pay-per-view movies in my hotel room, oh joy!" She retorted sarcastically. "But seriously I'd much rather get out and do something than sit on my ass all day." She added with a grin.

Leigh smiled and took a breath gathering her thoughts, "See I knew I liked you for a reason. I'm glad to see you back to your happy self."

Alyssa nodded, "Yeah I wasn't even all that happy for a long time. I mean with Nick I've always been relatively happy don't get me wrong. But ever since Collin died I'd always been kind of depressed."

"Tell me about Collin, Nick doesn't talk about what happened back then much."

"Well Collin was my first love if you could call him that. I thought I really loved him and he was a great guy, and a good friend. Nick and him even became friends when they met. And when he died it devastated me. But I realize that I didn't really love him as much as I thought I did. Cared for him most definitely, but really loved him? No, I didn't and it took me all this time to figure it out. I really loved Nick the entire time and just couldn't admit it to myself. Nor did I really want to."

"So that kept you in a depression for all this time?"

Alyssa chewed her lip for a second, "Partially, I mean it always weighed on my mind. But then for a few years Nick and I had this friendship after I tried to kill myself that nothing could touch. We'd talk and go out to have fun and just be around each other and it was seriously some of the best moments we've ever had. Then after my father died I fell even deeper into depression, seeing my mother so torn up but trying to hide it really hurt. I drove myself insane with all my doubts coming to surface to the point where we had all the drama happen. And the one thing that sent me over the edge was losing Noah. But he brought me back. He didn't give up on me. So really if you want anyone to thank for my turn around it's Nick. Anyone else would have washed their hands of me I think."

Leigh gave her a look and sighed, "I don't think anyone would have given up on you. I know Howie as well as the other guys were worried sick for a while." Leigh paused for a moment deciding on whether or not to tell Alyssa her initial impressions of Alyssa. "You know, I'm really glad I got to know you. Granted we all had our preconceived notions about you because the history between you and Nick wasn't shared with Howie or the others until right before they met you so it was like ‘oh yeah this is Alyssa I've known her for years but I never said anything because you may not like her'. At least that's how it came off to Howie. He was really leery of you to begin with mainly so he could protect Nick if you turned out to be another parasite girl like most of the women they encountered over the years."

"Yeah I can understand that I would have and did react the same way to every girl Nick ever brought around me. Granted I was also hurt every time he did that too because I was like why can't you see me? Sort of thing you know?"

Leigh nodded in agreement, "But as I was saying I'm glad that I gave you a chance, I know Howie is too. He's really proud of Nick to have found such stability in his life now. And I think we have you to thank for it, you've really made him grow up quite a lot."

Alyssa's pensive expression softened in favor of an appreciative grin, "Wow, thank you...It means so much to me that everyone has accepted me as his partner and all...Especially you and Kristin and even Leighanne too because you three really know what they've been through together as a band and as a family you know?"

"Well you're a part of that family too now." Leigh replied with a grin making Alyssa's grin widen even more.

***************************************
Nick Narrating:

It's nice to just chill and jam with my friends you know? Seeing Brent and his bandmates again is a definite welcome from life in LA. Now don't get me wrong I love my life, great career, amazing woman, and the family situation is improving all the time. I know it will never improve with my parents. As much as it saddens me to say but maybe I shouldn't even want that.

You'd think I'd learn, these are after all the same messed up people who brought me into this world. The parents I knew growing up were not all that great. In fact I really envy Alyssa for the parents she had. She's really lucky. I was lucky enough to get to know her dad before he died. To have him consider me as another son is one of the best feelings next to seeing her smile at me.

I appreciate that smile so much more than I used to. For a while I thought she'd never smile again with all the sadness she felt. And really I felt the same. Like all the happiness we'd had months before had been turned on it's head. I'm so glad she's past all of that, and accepting of what happened. It still really hurts when you sit down and physically think about what you could have done better.

I know I shouldn't think like that. That I should just keep moving forward and forget the past. It's hard though. Especially when I've been so focused on getting Alyssa well instead of getting us both well at the same time.

I guess that's why she's so damn determined to get me to face what I'd really rather not. Because I made her see it for herself and now she's trying to be the same for me. I mean I'm grateful as all hell that she really wants to be that for me. But there's a lot of things in my past that I'd really just rather forget. I didn't have the greatest childhood. Hell my only escape was the group and that was stressful in itself.

If I didn't have the guys though...I honestly don't know how my life would have turned out. They kept me relatively sane. It made me want to escape the insanity of my family more and more. Then Alyssa came along and she was my escape from the insanity of my life in the group. She came along just as we were starting to get famous and she would always listen to me no matter what. True I glossed over a lot of what I saw because I didn't want to talk about the less than reputable parts of what I do. The dark side of fame is really nothing to be trifled with. And really I had to keep her away from all of that.

Maybe that's why I keep a lot of how things affect me from her. Because I don't want to burden her with it. And really as archaic as this sounds I didn't want to come off looking like less of a man in her eyes either. Especially summer 2001. With AJ going to rehab, my best friend attempting suicide and realizing that I'm in love with her to boot? Definitely not what I wanted to talk about. I mean yeah I talked about AJ in rehab and that was merely to help her, to make her see that even success can be overshadowed by depression and self destruction. But did I tell her that I was falling in love with her? Hell no I didn't. I was scared shitless of what that meant for our friendship and I guess what I call willpower in keeping those urges where she was concerned at bay really was just repressing what I was going through.

It's really odd to look back at my life now that we're in therapy together. It makes me see that I really didn't have my life as together as I thought I did. Granted I did a lot of messed up shit back then. Including my less than honorable actions when it came to women.

I guess keeping how I feel about Liss at bay for so long on top of trying to keep my life with her separate from my life in the spotlight got me into a really bad habit of not talking to her as much as I really should have. And once both of those lives started overlapping I guess I just didn't know what to do.

Honestly I don't know what exactly she wants me to say or do as far as opening up. I know she wants me to lean on her, to depend on her the way she has with me. I love that she depends on me, and I'm glad that she has finally really let herself do that. But should that mean that I should do the same with her?

She is right, I mean I should be able to depend on her the way she depends on me, maybe I'm just scared that if I do I really will end up getting my heart broken. What if ten years down the road we're married and she divorces me?

Ugh I hate it when I do this to myself. I don't believe in marriage, so why in the FUCK am I getting married? Okay, okay I lied so I do believe that marriage can work and that it really sincerely could work if she and I work at it everyday. Which if that's the case, that means I do need to stop being an emotionally retarded man and just tell her what I've been trying to be so strong about for so long. Sounds ridiculous I know, believe me. But this past year has taught me that the more I try to shut things out the more I push her away. And I can't do that anymore.

It really sucks to admit that I need her. I couldn't even fathom admitting that to myself back when we were friends. Hell moving in with her in the first place was a huge step in that process. I didn't want to admit that I needed her influence, her presence even in my daily life. Having her around all the time changed me in a lot of ways, most of them in really good ways. Most of my friends see it. Especially close ones like Brent, Chris, the fellas...

When things are good between Alyssa and I like they are now I feel the difference in myself too. I'm happy, genuinely happy and I didn't think I'd ever get to a point in my life where I really would be truly happy about my life. I may not have a relationship with my parents like I wish I had but is that my fault? I don't think so, I mean I've tried haven't I? But I do have a pretty damn strong relationship with my brother, my sisters, and most importantly Alyssa. And then again I do have her family I can always look to as well.

I love her family, Mary has really become a mother figure to me over the years, always there to give support where it's needed. Clark, the man is my age, and he's already got a family. And then Olivia? God that woman is as awesome as her baby sister. You can tell Alyssa looks up to them and adores them both.

I'd kill for Aaron to see me the way she sees her siblings. And maybe he does and just doesn't show it. Our respective childhoods weren't very different with the exception that he got started in the business a lot earlier than I did. No thanks to my success I'm sure. But certain things we both had experienced growing up has brought us closer as brothers than either of us ever will be to the girls. Granted I adore my sisters, each one of them are so different yet so alike in so many ways. I think they're happy that they're gaining another sister with Alyssa. I know Leslie is. Then again I think secretly ever since Alyssa and I hit it off she'd been hoping that she'd legally become part of the family someday.

It's weird to think that in just 6 months I'm getting married. Yeah...Nick Carter...married man. That really is an odd concept in an of itself right there. But as weird as it sounds I couldn't be more happy about it.

End Narration.
************************************

Nick stretched on the couch, rolling his wrists, and stretching his tired fingers from jamming and song writing for the past few hours. "Aw man don't tell me you're tired?" Brent chided teasing him with a grin.

Nick rolled his eyes and threw his pen at him. "Fuck off man." He replied gruffly and looked out the window at the storm clouds that were rolling in on Tennessee.

"Things not well with the Misses?" Brent asked with a snarky tone.

"No everything's really great with her. Just thinking is all." He replied shrugging.

Brent's eyebrows shot up in surprise at Nick not even batting an eye when Alyssa was referred to as the "misses". "Dude, it didn't even phase you that I called her ‘misses'."

Nick chuckled, "I chose to ignore it. I knew you were talking about Liss, who else would you call that?" Nick shot back. "But still I am marrying her in less than a year, might as well get used to her being a Misses." He added making Brent nod.

"So ya'll are done with all the drama you had the past two years?"

Nick nodded and grinned, "I know I am and she definitely wants to forget most of it with the exception of how I proposed."

"How did you propose?"

"At her family reunion, in Italian."

Brent's eyes widened, "Since when are you Mr. Romantic Mushy Stuff?" He asked his shock at his best friend's apparent change in his attitude towards romance.

"I knew she'd never forget it if I planned it right. So I went for broke. I mean come on it wasn't that hard to do that for her and you should have seen the look on her face when I did. Fucking priceless. I think she thought I was kidding around but I was dead serious, still am in fact."

Andrew laughed a little and sighed, "It's nice to see you so settled though. I remember when you were a messed up teenager all hung up on Mandy."

Nick snickered a little, "Yeah and I was just a little ridiculous about Mandy. Thankfully I got past that stage in my life. She's married you know?"

"Mandy? To who?"

"A professional hockey player. Mike's a pretty cool guy though. And she's really happy where her life is at so I'm happy for her."

"This is the same woman you drunkenly hoped would fall off a bridge back in 2000 if I recall correctly." Brent admonished making Nick chuckle.

"Okay so I was a little bitter back then but hey life is so much better since I went through all my horrendous relationships. Let's me see how good I have it with Ali. By the way she did want me to say hello for her. She said she felt bad she didn't have time to hang with us but Leigh apparently wanted to hang out with her before Howie's wedding tomorrow."

"So when are you leaving to make it to the ceremony?" Brent asked.

"Tomorrow morning, at the ass crack of dawn practically. Liss has been on my ass about making sure I get to the airport on time. Howie will be pissed if I miss his wedding after all."

"I bet he would be. How is Ali by the way?"

"She's good, probably taking some advice on how to plan even more efficiently or something for our wedding."

"It's weird thinking that you two are getting married. I remember when you were just realizing that you liked her." He remarked chuckling a bit remembering back to the summer six years before. "You were so hopeless it was funny. Although I don't really blame you she's hot."

Nick rolled his eyes, "Yeah she's hot all right...I should have made a move a lot earlier than I did. Because I couldn't be happier right now. This year was hell so far and I'm just really happy that it's almost over." He admitted.

"So what's the plan with the wedding and all, like you said it's less than a year away..."

"It's in mid-May, I still need to decide on the whole best man and groomsmen situation I know I will probably end up choosing Aaron as my best man since he's my brother and all..."

"What exactly does a best man do besides hook up with the bridesmaids?" Andrew asked wondering

Nick snickered, "Well all the bridesmaids are taken. Two are married, one is pregnant, another's engaged and one of the married ones is a lesbian sooo yeah..."

"Dude...whose the lesbian?"

"Olivia, Ali's sister." Nick said rolling his eyes. "Angela her partner will be there, but yeah Alyssa is one of the last to get married out of her friends. Kellie is in a pretty serious relationship with AJ they're expecting soon."

"It's weird though, the whole idea of you settling down with one woman." Brent remarked chuckling to himself at his friend's expense.

Nick shook his head and chuckled as well. "I know but hey at least you know she's not a trophy wife sort of girl. She's changed a lot since you met her."

"Changed how? I mean she was pretty quiet when I first met her back in 2000. And last time I saw her she was still the quiet type."

"Yeah but she's a lot more grown up I guess is the term. Granted she was mature for her age back then but now she's really grown up a lot. Hell we've been living together for 5 years now."

"Five years?! And how long did it take for you to finally cave and tell her how you felt?" Brent admonished giving him a look. Andrew gave them both a confused look not knowing much about the history between them. "When I was hanging out with Nick back in 2001 and Ali came to stay with him...well blondie boy over here pretty much realized that he was all in love with her." He explained making Nick laugh at the face he made at his best friend falling in love with some girl.

"Yeah and I waited to tell her until her 21st birthday...So two years after moving in together."

"You waited two years!?" Andrew asked astonished how anyone living with the person they loved could hold out two years before making a move.

Nick nodded, "Don't ask me why I waited that long, because seriously I don't really understand it myself. It was just really complicated and didn't really want to deal with all that I was feeling for her so I guess I repressed it for a long time."

"Yeah because if I remember correctly you were a total whore on your solo tour from the tales you'd tell me over the phone and all that."

Nick laughed as the three of them went to the music room and Nick sat at the drum set as both Andrew and Brent picked up guitars, "Yeah I know so should we get started?"

"Yeah most definitely. After today when do you want me back here for co writing?" Andrew asked with a grin.

"Won't be til January, I have Howie's wedding, then our radio tour then the holidays with the family and then January I should be back after a trip with the guys to cool down before going on tour. You'll be able to meet Ali then because she said she might come out with me so she could get away from LA for a while. All right...we ready to go?" Both Brent and Andrew grinned and nodded then began playing the opening lines to one of the songs they wrote.

The following day...

Nick woke with a start the alarm on his radio jarring him suddenly from his sleep. Out of all the things he hated about being woken up, waking up because of a rather obnoxious alarm certainly took the cake. He got up rubbing his eyes and showered dressing in jeans and a tee-shirt before going down stairs to leave for the airport. When he got there Brent rolled his eyes as he trudged out of the bathroom.

"How do you wake up so early?" He asked grabbing his keys, wallet and one of Nick's bags to throw in the car for the airport.

"Just used to it. Alyssa gets up really early at home so if I want to spend time with her before she goes to work I have to get up early too."

"Dude you're so pussy whipped." He shot back making Nick laugh at him as they drove to the airport.

"When has being whipped been a bad thing ever? Especially if it's for the right woman. Whipped equals brownie points which in turn equals more sex for me so it balances rather nicely."

"Ugh it's too early for math." He joked back shaking his head.

Nick laughed and sighed, "Dude you need a good woman then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about." He said as they pulled up to the curb-side check in. Nick looked up seeing the ominous clouds from the day before hadn't left yet. He walked inside bidding Brent farewell going over to the ticket counter. "Hi I'm here to pick up my ticket for flight 1498 to Orlando." He announced to the girl behind the counter.

He gave her his ticket information, the bag he needed to check and identification as she clicked away on her computer. "Here's your boarding pass have a good trip." She said brightly. He smiled back taking it from her and walked towards security.

As he queued up in line for security, he looked out the large windows just in time to see a rather bright flash of lightning in the sky. He sighed and shook his head. Something in his gut told him that this was definitely not going to be a good day. After making it through security he glanced at the television monitors that displayed all the flight information. He found his flight and the flashing red next to it confirmed his suspicions his flight had been delayed. Grabbing his phone out of his pocket he dialed Alyssa's number hearing it go straight to voicemail figuring that she was busy for the moment leaving her a message that his flight had been delayed as he took a seat at his gate a little defeated that he was definitely going to be late to Howie's wedding.

Meanwhile...

"Leigh you look amazing." Alyssa replied grinning widely as she watched Leigh pin her veil into place finishing her glamorous look.

Leigh beamed and hugged her. "Thanks again for being here. You should probably hurry to the airport to get Nick." She replied.

"Good point. I'll make it back in time for the ceremony." Alyssa responded bidding her farewell. She was happy that even though she wasn't in the bridal party she still got to be an integral part of one of her good friend's weddings. She went and got into her rental car chuckling to herself that she'd gotten ready for the wedding, in a simple black cocktail dress that came to her mid thigh. She figured that she'd look rather odd in the airport to be dressed up so much just to be picking someone up. Even though she had about 2 hours before he'd even be getting into Florida she still wanted to beat the horrendous traffic.

When she arrived at the airport about a half an hour later she walked passed the television screens with all the flight information already knowing from buying Nick's ticket in the first place what terminal she needed to be at. She found a seat by the security checkpoint that Nick would walk past to meet her I just about an hour and a half. Bored she pulled out her phone figuring she'd call up her mom and see what she was up to. Flicking it on she noticed that she had a voicemail waiting for her. She called the service and listened as she heard Nick's voice come over the receiver.

Liss it's me, my flight is delayed thanks to the weather. I don't know when I'll be getting in but I'll call you when I find out when they're going to board the flight. Anyways go on to the wedding without me I'll catch a cab and meet you there. Love you.

Alyssa closed her eyes sighing figuring that this would happen today of all days. She grinned and dialed his number and smiled hearing him answer.

"Hey baby..." He said with a sigh of relief that she'd gotten his message.

"Hey yourself." She said back. "What happened?"

"There's a storm, should have flown out last night when I saw the clouds rolling in but oh well. Tell Howie not to be too pissed at me. I'll try my best to make it before the reception but I can't promise anything. Just have to wait until mother nature decides to stop being a total bitch."

Alyssa giggled at his joke and sighed, "Only you Carter I swear you have the worst luck ever when it comes to traveling."

"Yeah especially last minute traveling right?" He said shrugging succumbing to his overall situation.

Alyssa got up and began walking out of the airport. "I'll let Howie know that you'll be late. He won't be happy you know. Everyone else got in yesterday."

Nick rolled his eyes, "Just tell him that I'll be there when I can, he'll understand."

"All right I'll let him know." She said getting into her car. She sighed and laughed a little to herself, "I love you, be safe and I'll see you when I see you I guess." She replied sarcastically.

Nick snickered and sighed again, "Funny, smart ass. Love you too and I'll get there as soon as I can." He said before they rang off both of them shaking their heads both thinking ‘Figures this would happen...'

About an hour later Alyssa finally managed to snag Howie away from his groomsmen and pulled him off to the side in the back of the rectory of the church. "What's going on?" He asked with a suspicious glance.

Alyssa chewed her lip, "I don't want to stress you out or anything, but ummm Nick's flight was delayed." She said nervously.

Howie chuckled and shook his head, "Figures that s-o-b would be late to my wedding." He said chuckling.

"You're not mad?"

"Nah, it's Nick I half expected him to skip the ceremony entirely."

"He probably will have to since he just got on the plane a and it's a two hour flight."

Howie shook his head and sighed, "He'll never change I swear, always does things last minute and ends up being late." He joked making Alyssa laugh.

"It's not a big deal then?"

"Well it is and it isn't, it's not like it's really his fault but I wish he could be here, the other three are. But it'll be fine, as long as he's at the reception is all that matters." Howie replied.

After their conversation was over she found her way up in the pews taking her seat next to Kellie and AJ both of them giving her an odd glance. "His flight was delayed." Alyssa replied flatly rolling her eyes at the situation.

Kellie chuckled and AJ snorted, "Typical Nick..." AJ said with a laugh as Howie made his way up to the altar waiting for the ceremony to begin. A moment later everyone stood as Leigh began her procession down the aisle. Alyssa checked her watch one last time figuring that he was just a little under an hour away from landing.

Later on...

Nick hurried off the plane changing in a restroom and grabbing his bags checking his watch every few minutes figuring that the ceremony was nearing it's end. He walked briskly outside hailing a cab instructing the driver to take him to the hotel dropping off his bags in Alyssa's and his suite. He came back out seeing Alyssa walk up and smiled at her, "Aren't you supposed to be at the wedding?" He asked with a grin making her stop and look up.

"I was just about to call you before I headed over to the reception." Alyssa replied grinning and giving him a hug. "Come on I have a rental car. I'm glad you at least made it before the reception." She said as they walked to her car in the parking lot.

"Why did you come back to the hotel?"

"I was going to see if you had got in yet so I could take you over to the reception. They're just getting the bridal party pictures done right now." She said as she pulled out of the parking lot and drive towards the palatial mansion where the reception was going to be.

"How was the ceremony?"

"It was beautiful, traditional Catholic of course so it took forever but everyone got all misty it was kinda funny. Kevin was trying to hide it and of course Kristin was laughing at him. Brian and Leighanne kept smiling at each other. Kellie got all teary-eyed and Alex held her hand and I was kind of there just so happy I got to see it. Howie was so nervous it was kind of cute."

Nick grinned at her as they pulled up in front of the mansion seeing AJ and Kellie standing on the front steps with Kevin, Kristin and baby Mason. As Nick got out of the car Kevin shook his head and rolled his eyes. "Figures you'd show up late!" He shouted making them all look over at Nick and Alyssa. Alyssa took his hand as they walked up to the mansion seeing their laughter die down as they approached.

"Real funny Kev..."

"Yeah we almost thought we'd have to give your speech without you." He shot back making Nick roll his eyes.

"I'm sure you could have pulled it off. But I'm here."

Alyssa grinned as the three couples all walked around to the back where Howie and Leigh were supposed to be making their grand entrance. Nick pulled Alyssa close to him and kissed her forehead as they mingled all around the large amount of guests. Hearing the sound of a helicopter everyone looked up seeing a white helicopter coming in to land right on the large grass lawn. "Only Howie..." Alyssa remarked loudly giggling at the spectacle of Howie and Leigh coming out of a helicopter.

Once inside everyone mingled around except for AJ, Kellie, Alyssa and Nick preferring to stay together for the moment before going to greet the bride and groom once their families had all gotten a piece of them. Nick laughed a little to himself as he watched the insanity surrounding Howie and Leigh. He leaned over and whispered into Alyssa's ear, "Please tell me we're not doing something like this?"

Alyssa chuckled and gave him a sympathetic grin before whispering back. "No because we're not having 500 guests either. Remember ours is very low key and that's how it's staying." She reminded making him take a breath in relief.

It wasn't that he didn't want a wedding, just that he didn't want one that was so elaborate. What he wanted was just a relaxing weekend full of family and a few friends to just have fun and enjoy getting married. Having a gigantic spectacle of a wedding was definitely something he did not want.

"Did you see the cake?" Kellie asked with a hand on her growing tummy.

Alyssa nodded, "It's gorgeous, Leigh gave me the card of the cake designer she went to I figure I might check em out although I won't need anything that huge." She said referring to the opulent cake that was sitting on a buffet table just 20 feet from them.

Seeing that the crowd had now dissipated the four couples, made their way over to Howie and Leigh each giving them a hug and a congratulations. "Hey you made it!" Howie said jokingly.

Nick rolled his eyes at him and gave him a hug, "Yeah sorry man stupid weather."

"No worries man, at least you're here right?"

"Yeah." Nick smiled back as the group formed a semi circle so that the photographer could take pictures.

About an hour later once the major festivities had died down for the most part and almost all the speeches were done Nick stood up taking the microphone from AJ still chuckling from the various jokes he'd told during his speech.

"We'll everyone knows I completely suck at public speaking but the plan was to have all of the bandmates say a little something about Howie and Leigh. And I volunteered to go last of course. But anyways, we've all heard how they began and such but I really just wanted to take this opportunity to say that I'm really happy for the two of them. Leigh I'd like to thank you first of all for getting the man to abandon the long hair. On average it's saved about 20% of the ozone layer because he doesn't use as many hair products anymore. So thank you for that." He paused getting a laugh from everyone at Howie's expense. "But in all seriousness I really want to thank the both of you for just being who you are. You've always been there for me when I needed someone to talk to and always were there for support even when I didn't always deserve it. You two amaze me that you two started out as colleagues and friends and found each other along the way. Howie you found an great woman to spend your life with and because of your example I found a great woman myself." He said glancing over at Alyssa making her grin at him.

Kristin giggled at the happy exchange between the two of them and patted her husband's knee making him smile as well. She saw Nick make his way back to their table and she laughed at him, "So what's this Leighanne and I didn't give a good enough example?" She chided jokingly making Nick roll his eyes at her and laugh.

"No I meant that since they started out trying to be friends first it kind of fits my situation a little better than yours and Leighanne's thank you very much." He shot back.

Alyssa giggled and took his hand, "You're such a sap. But it was pretty good speech babe, good job." She said pressing her lips to his in a sweet kiss.

He grinned at her as he broke the kiss and pressed his forehead to hers, "Thanks sugar."

Late that night...

Nick stirred in his sleep opening his eyes looking to his side where Alyssa was fast asleep her legs intertwined with his and her hand draped across his chest just over his heart. He picked up that hand kissing her palm before setting it down on the bed. With all his thoughts that had been swirling in his head the past few days he found it rather hard to really get any solid amount of sleep. As quietly as he could he slipped from the cozy sheets and slipped on a pair of boxers and went out on the balcony of the suite sitting on a chaise lounge and looking up at the clear Orlando sky.

He hated how his own personal demons sometimes came after him especially when he should be so extremely happy. It happened with Noah when his lack of having any real relationship with his parents drove him to attempt one with his own mother and that had certainly backfired. He sighed and pulled his legs up on the chair criss crossing them in front of him. Growing up in his amily certainly wasn't easy, being the oldest usually meant whenever there was a problem the others always came to him. He felt guilty a lot of the time knowing that when he could run away he did and ran far. It wasn't that he'd not wanted to be around his family at the time, it was that he couldn't handle the drama and needed to get away.

What he didn't realize is that the drama he was escaping that had been burdened on his shoulders for so long fell to Aaron after he had gone. He hated thinking that if he had just stuck it out and taken all the bull that his parents were doing that maybe his own brother wouldn't be so distrusting or as messed up as he'd become.

He was grateful though to be there for Aaron. After all it was better late than never right? It helped the deep guilt he felt in his heart that Alyssa was there for his siblings just as much if not more than he was. He couldn't understand why anyone would want to be apart of his rather dysfunctional family but none of it seemed to phase her whatsoever. She'd welcomed every part of him and his family into her heart, but then why did he feel the need to protect her from the things that he'd rather forget?

His thoughts were interrupted by a slight rapping on the balcony's doorjamb. He didn't turn to her knowing it really could be only one person. "Did I wake you?" He asked softly making her snicker slightly.

"Not really, though rolling over to find my fiancé not asleep next to me did jar me a little." She said with a smirk coming to sit in front of him on the lounge chair. She saw the worry grace his brow and her smile immediately diminished. "Lover....what's wrong?" She asked the concern she felt in her heart written all over her face.

Nick shook his head and looked away, "Just thinking..."

Alyssa chewed her lip then placed a hand on his cheek pulling his gaze back to her. "Hey, talk to me...what's going on in that head of yours?"

Nick shrugged, "Just thinking about a lot of things, my family and stuff like that."

"Care to share?" She asked giving him a sympathetic look. She truly wondered why he didn't talk very much about his childhood let alone the impact it had on him. She knew that something must have happened for him to want to forget it so much.

"Just I feel guilty...Do you remember when I first moved away from my parents place?"

"To live with Amanda in Tampa right?"

"Yeah, it was to escape as you know but I didn't realize what it would do to the others you know?"

"Wait what do you mean what it would do to them?" She asked truly confused at his admission.

He sighed figuring he'd get it over with. He wanted to tell her but still a large part of him wanted to protect her from the past. "Because without me there, then all the abuse was turned on them."

"Abuse? What do you mean? They...?" Alyssa managed to sputter out. True she knew from her own personal experience than Jane was a master at mental torture but he didn't mean physical abuse did he?

"I mean it didn't happen that often aside from my mom's normal everyday quest for martyrdom. But where do you think my dad got the nickname Captain Crown? He wasn't the nicest person when he would drink. He found fault with anyone he laid eyes on. The verbal shit was terrible on Beej. But I would aggravate him on purpose so he'd leave the girls out of it. Sometimes he'd just say something spiteful in response but every once in a while it got physical."

Alyssa's mouth opened wide almost astonished at the words coming out of his mouth. "You'd said in therapy that you'd suffered a lot of abuse growing up but I never thought, Bob would do that to you. Hell I'd suspect Jane before him. He was always so laid back."

Nick shook his head, "He's laid back now. But back then if he and my mom fought then he went and got drunk...it was not a pretty picture that's for sure. And when I moved out it seemed to shift from being on me to Aaron." He finally admitted getting all that out after so long made him just feel like he'd completely gotten punched in the stomach.

"And you feel guilty because you weren't there to protect him from it?" Alyssa added making him look at her. He nodded silently in response. "Why did you keep this from me for so long?" She asked her eyes already glassing over with sadness.

"Because I didn't want you to look at me like you are right now. I mean it was a rough life but it wasn't always like that. It wasn't like he came home everyday and got shit-faced and then beat on everyone. And being in the group allowed an even greater escape for the longest time. But I didn't tell you because I just didn't want to talk about it. It was enough that I had to deal with the fact that I grew up with a dysfunctional family but when I'd talk to you. I didn't want to think about it, I just wanted to talk to you and not focus on al the bullshit in my life."

Alyssa moved in closer, "I'm glad you're telling me now though. I guess I never really thought that you were just trying to really enjoy my company. I'm so used to Kellie and Lori spilling every little detail that I guess I expected that from you too. Can I ask you something?"

Nick nodded, "Of course..."

"Why do you always put my feelings before yours? It's not like your emotions mean less than mine so why do you do it?"

Nick felt his chest tighten at the question he didn't exactly want to get into why he always pushed his own feelings aside. "I don't know Ali, I just do I guess."

"Cut the crap Nick, come on..."

Nick looked away and sighed feeling the lump rise up in his throat. The events that happened just a few months before replayed in his head. He looked down at his hands and swallowed hard he hated just thinking of all that had happened. "You don't get it..." He said his voice cracking against his own accord.

"Then make me get it, tell me what's going on." She said moving toward him only to be stopped a moment later with Nick looking her straight in the face his eyes mirroring what his voice was about to tell her.

"I watched you die. Do you have any idea what that did to me?" He said sharply getting choked up. He sniffed a little trying to bite back the painful memories.

Alyssa sat back shocked at the sudden flood of emotion from him. "But I'm still here...baby..."

"Don't ‘baby' me, your heart stopped, for that brief moment you were dead and then watching our child struggle to live in an incubator only to leave and have him die while I'm checking in on you? I've never been so torn in my life. I felt...scared and I didn't have anyone to really turn to. I had family and friends and no one could really understand what I went through okay? It scared the living hell out of me when you attempted suicide but then to watch you die right in front of me because of some stupid medical glitch? You'll never understand how helpless I was." He said finally letting his tears flow freely cursing himself for letting the pain he still felt show.

Alyssa's expression softened and she stood on her knees and wrapped her arms around him hugging him and hence silencing their conversation. She felt him hug her back and hugged him tighter as she felt his shaking hands wrap around her waist. "I love you." She whispered softly.

He broke away a minute later shaking his head at himself, "I'm sorry...I don't know where that came from." He said wiping his eyes.

Alyssa shook her head and pressed her lips to his. "Don't be afraid to let out some emotion sometimes. Remember this is me here. You can tell me anything, fears, hopes, anything okay?"

Nick nodded and gave her a reassuring kiss. "Thank you for listening to me though." He said softly.

She smiled and laced their fingers, "I'll always listen to you, no matter what. Now come on let's go back to bed." She coaxed standing up making him stand with her. He grinned at her and let her lead him back into the bedroom of the suite, the two of them crawling into bed. Nick pulled her body close to his dropping a kiss to her shoulder and tightening his arm around her waist as they both drifted off to sleep once more.

 

 

 

End Notes:
A HUGE thank you to Mel and April for looking over all of this for me you two rock!
Chapter 21: Silent Night by Teri
Author's Notes:
Sooo I'm updating yay! LOL I've been rather busy and really worn out with school so I haven't gotten as much writing done as I would have liked lately but I guess I can't really help that. I am working on chapter 23 at the moment and had to split it because of a rather ingenious idea I had. Anyways I hope you all enjoy and hope to hear from you all!

Chapter Twenty-One: Silent Night

"So you got, Clark's present right?" Alyssa asked Nick with an expectant look.

Nick rolled his eyes and grinned, "Yes I did. I'm kind of glad we're doing joint gifts this year. Makes shopping for everyone a little easier."

"Yeah I know, now to Lori's, and little Jamie's. He's really into Transformers and Elmo right now. I can't believe he'll be two in a few months." Alyssa replied as they walked hand in hand towards the toy store. She felt rather happy that they'd decided to come to Arizona a little earlier than expected and spend some time with hers and his family. Of course they were the first to arrive so really it was more like they got to spend more time with Mary without the loud clamor of both families together.

Since the night of Howie's wedding Nick and Alyssa had been spending as much time together as possible. With her traveling with him on the short radio Christmas show specials he'd been doing. They'd become infinitely closer to each other finally feeling that final comfort they'd been trying to gain through therapy. They walked into the toy store looking at all the various toys. "Okay I say we divide and conquer I'll work this end and you work that one and we'll meet in the middle?" Alyssa offered with a grin.

Nick smiled and let her go walking over to the aisle loaded with legos. He perused each aisle figuring a lot of what he saw was going to be a little too much for an almost two year old to play with. He quickly moved to where Alyssa was going to meet him waiting for her to come around. Alyssa joined him a moment later holding a couple toys, a set of duplo blocks that were like legos only large enough for a toddler to play with and some Elmo bath toys. "Find anything?" Nick asked with a grin.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and handed him the handle to the block's container. "I figure I'd get him started on building things for fun. It's never to early to start fostering creativity is it?"

He smirked and pulled her close planting a kiss on her lips. He loved that she thought so much of her nephew and wanted to spoil him with toys that would not only be fun but would round him out intellectually. He broke the kiss seeing her eyes were still closed reveling in the sudden yet completely welcome show of affection between them. She opened her eyes and smirked at him and took both toys over and made their purchases before leaving the store. "So...it's just Lori left right?"

"Yeah, I got my sister's and Angie's gifts a week ago and all the guys gifts were sent out already. Kellie's was sent with Alex's since they live together now. And your sibling's presents are already wrapped. Mom's too." She explained as they walked over to a department store. "Now what to buy my dear sister-in-law..."

"I love that you got everything under control this year. Even with working and going to school. How did you find time for all of this?"

Alyssa giggled and laced their fingers. "Shopping online does wonders. I got almost everything online. I just couldn't decide what to get Lori she's always the hardest to buy for."

"What about a charm bracelet with a C and a J on it for Clark and Jamie and things she likes?"

Alyssa looked at Nick as if he'd grown an extra head for a moment or two. "Since when do you think of things like that?" She asked astonished at his remark.

He chuckled at her brushing off her comment, "You know I have on occasion came up with gift ideas for you by myself." He scoffed as they picked out a bracelet and the charms associated with it. "So you haven't told me what you want for Christmas." He reminded giving her a sideways glance.

Alyssa shrugged, "I don't really want anything this year."

Now it was his turn to look at her as if she had two heads. "You're kidding? You always have something that you could use in mind."

She smirked and shrugged again. "I don't have anything that I really need in mind. I have everything I want, time with my family and well you so what could you get that I could possibly need?"

He smirked and leaned close to her letting his voice become low and a little raspy. "Oh I could think of a few things you might need..."

Alyssa rolled her eyes and elbowed him, "Not that you perv. Besides I think we're doing just peachy in that department thank you."

"Peachy?" He said mid-snicker. When he thought of their sex life the word peachy definitely did not come to mind.

Alyssa's face broke out in a grin and she chuckled as well. "Okay so bad choice of words but you know what I mean." She said as they continued to walk about the mall holding their few bags. "I mean it's great right?" She asked making sure that his thoughts on the subject mirrored her own.

"Better than great. Which I have a question."

"Yeah?"

"Are we going to be alone at all over Christmas or is it all ‘family' time?" He asked making her turn her head for a moment.

"Is there something special that you want?"

"Just one night, you and me, alone. Think you can swing that?"

"And that's all you want for Christmas?" She asked with a grin. If just one night alone with her was all he wanted amidst all the time they'd be spending with their families then she could definitely swing that.

"As far as Christmas is concerned yes. But if you want to get me anything else then you're welcome to but I'd be happy with just, me, you and a bed." He replied giving her a once over with his eyes.

She smiled and kissed him. "Well if you're really good then maybe Santa will be extra nice." She added jokingly already forming a plan in her head.

The following evening...

"Thanks honey for helping with dinner." Mary said with a bright smile at her youngest daughter.

Alyssa smiled back as she helped load the dishwasher. "No problem Momma. I love to cook, so it's all good."

"You sound like your father when you say that." She replied as Nick handed her another dish from the sink to put in the dishwasher.

Nick smiled and sighed hearing the women chatter around him. He loved hanging out with Alyssa's family simply for the reason that no matter how tense things got in the house between sibling rivalries or if there were any fights there was always something cooking, and everyone always talked. No one ever went without saying something. Sometimes he figured that would fuel a fight more than diffuse it but they seemed to make it work even when they were at odds with each other. "Are you excited to have everyone back here for the holidays?" Nick asked jumping into the conversation for the first time.

Mary grinned, "I love the holidays, makes living here by myself bearable for the little while that everyone is here." She said keeping a smile on her face when her words made Alyssa get a sympathetic look on her face.

"Maybe next year there will be even more people to come visit this time of year." She said trying to lift her mother's spirits a little.

"Well with Angie and Olivia's baby and of course with the two of you finally tying the knot I hope so. By the way it was so nice to have your family here at Thanksgiving, Nick." She added making him grin.

"I hope Aaron wasn't too much of a pain in the ass. He tends to be."

"No he was actually rather well behaved."

Alyssa giggled a little making the two of them look at her strangely. "I threatened him."

"You what?" Nick asked raising an eyebrow at her.

"I threatened him that if he even tried to cause trouble around mom that she'd have his guts for garters...or something like that." She replied chuckling a bit. "What I didn't want to just unleash the terror that is Aaron Carter's immaturity on my own family. So I put the fear of God in him about it. And hey he obviously listened and got to know Nana and Aunt Ginny pretty well as a result."

Nick grinned and kissed her temple making Mary smile at the two of them. Alyssa excused herself a moment later to go upstairs to her room for a moment leaving the two of them in the kitchen as they finished up the dishes. "It's nice to see that you know?" Mary remarked as she closed the dishwasher.

"See what?" Nick asked thinking that he'd done something wrong.

"You two, happy again. It's a welcome sight."

Nick grinned and put his arm around his shoulders. "Believe me you don't know how happy I am that we're back."

"Oh I'm sure. Now you and Liss want to watch movies or am I keeping you two from spending some alone engaged couple time?"

Nick chuckled, "Nah, I think movies sound good, It's a Wonderful Life and Nightmare Before Christmas right?" He asked with a grin knowing that Mary usually put those two movies on every Christmas.

"Sure thing, you go and run up and get my daughter I'll put one on and we'll finish getting the tree and the house decorated." She replied making him grin and break away from her.

He loved how Mary and even Jamie always tried to include him on the little things that to the casual observer would make no never mind about but to him, it made him feel as if he really was apart of the family. He went up the stairs seeing Alyssa in her bedroom hanging up the phone with what sounded like her sister. "Hey you..." He said wrapping his hands around her hips sliding them up her waist to her ribs.

She grinned as she felt his lips lightly touch her neck. "Mmm..." She cooed softly before turning to look at him. "You're mean."

Nick got an innocent look on his face, "Who me?" He asked before grinning at her. "Come on, your mom is putting on movies and I said we'd help finish decorating the house." He said taking her hand.

"You actually want to spend time with your future mother-in-law?"

"Oh come on she's fun. Besides if genetics count for anything you're going to look amazing when you're her age." He said with a silly grin reminding her of the common conception that you could tell how a woman would age by how her mother looked.

"You realize that's just a myth right?"

"Maybe but anyways come on she's putting on your two favorite Christmas movies." He said taking her and leading her down stairs. They walked in seeing Mary standing by the box full of ornaments that the kids had made and purchased over the years. She had a faraway look on her face as she held a large ornament that was a picture frame. It was a photograph taken of the family at Christmas three years before. Alyssa came over and saw the picture of everyone in their pj's that morning. Her siblings and their significant others, her parents in the middle, herself and Nick and his siblings around them all crammed onto and around the couch in the living room. Mary smirked seeing that Nick had placed his hand on Alyssa's thigh as they had been crammed together in the corner of the couch with Leslie just above them, Aaron sitting at the top with Angel and BJ next to Angela on the other side of the couch.

"Is this dad's last Christmas?" Alyssa asked looking at the picture.

Mary nodded and the three of them grinned. Nick took the ornament from the two of them and put it up high on the tree near the angel on top. "Figured it'd be good to put it where everyone could see it." He said shrugging simply. Alyssa grinned at him and kissed him sweetly before grabbing another ornament to place on the tree.

A few hours into their project Alyssa stepped back as Nick flipped on the lights watching the tree, and the mantle light up with the multitude of little multicolored lights. Nick and Alyssa stepped back and settled on the couch together. Alyssa laid into his side wrapping an arm around his waist as he wrapped one around her shoulders and the other traced lazy designs on her bare forearm.

Mary came walking back in carrying a tray with three mugs full of eggnog. She grinned at the two of them and set down the tray making them both look up from watching their mutual favorite movie. "Thanks Mom." Alyssa said grinning leaning forward and taking two of the cups handing one to Nick.

"Welcome you two." She replied taking her seat in the recliner on the opposite end of the room. She watched their mannerisms how Nick took both mugs once they had drank a little and placed them back on the coffee table only to return to their original position.

My dearest friend...if you don't mind. I'd like to join you by your side. Where we can gaze into the stars...

Nick brought her hand up and kissed her fingertips as he laced their fingers then kissed her temple making her look up at him and grin.

And sit together, now and forever. For it's as plain as anyone can see. We're simply meant to be.

Mary yawned as the movie ended and looked over at the two of them smiling at them. "Well you two, you better get to bed soon. We've got a long day tomorrow." She reminded making them look over at her.

"What time do you need us up by?" Nick asked earnestly hoping it wasn't going to be all that early.

Mary chuckled and looked at the clock. "Well you two are going to be making the food most of the day as everyone gets here. So I'm assuming be up and dressed by seven." She said as she got up and passed them. "Night you two."

"Night." They said in unison. Once Mary left Alyssa stood up as well. Taking his hand up to her bedroom and put on the small television in her room. She tossed him the remote and grinned.

"Find something for us to watch." She semi commanded going over and getting comfortable on her bed. He chuckled and flicked through the channels finally just turning the television off. "Nothing on?"

He turned shrugged, "Not really into watching more TV tonight." He said turning to her as she raised an eye brow at him.

She grinned and moved up to the end of the bed where he had been lounging and straddled his hips. "Hmm I wonder what we should do then..." She wondered with a sly look placing her hands on his shoulders.

"Somehow I think..." He said pausing as he slid his hands from her knees up her jean clad thighs and up to her hips. "That we'll figure something out..." He added as she leaned down just as he came up, their lips meeting in a heated kiss.

Alyssa kissed down Nick's neck making him scrunch up his shoulders at the ticklish sensation of her mouth on his neck. "Liss..." He hissed at her making her giggle and silence him with a kiss. Alyssa sucked on his bottom lip as she moved to kneel above him. He moved his hands up from her waist one traveling to her neck tangling his fingers into her hair and the other up her side just under her arm. She smirked into the kiss and gently scraped her nails along his scalp.

He broke the kiss for a moment kissing along her jaw-line and down to her neck. He felt her skin break out in goose bumps and a soft moan escape her lips. He smirked against her skin bringing his hands to the hem of her tee-shirt bringing it up breaking the kiss long enough to lift it up and off of her. He pulled her by the waist attacking her collarbone with his mouth kissing along it to the hollow of her throat as she let her hands drift down his back gathering his shirt up along the way. He stopped for a moment helping her get it off of him before pushing her to lay back on the bed as he stood. She smirked at him and unbuttoned her jeans as he grabbed the material from the back of her calves and pulled them off of her throwing them to the ground.

Alyssa went to sit up just as he bent over planting a kiss to each of her bent knees. She sighed and reached for his jeans unbuttoning them just as there was a soft knock on her door. They froze for a moment hearing it again. Alyssa got up and went into the bathroom letting Nick answer it since he was a little more dressed than she was. He cracked the door open a little seeing Mary smile at him. "Sorry to bother you honey, but Alyssa left her cell phone downstairs I figured she might want to charge it." She said making him grin and open the door more and taking the phone from her.

"Thanks, Mary I'll set it up on it's charger." He replied going over to Alyssa's nightstand and hooking up the phone to the corded charger.

Mary looked in seeing the rumpled comforter and Alyssa nowhere to be found figuring she was in the bathroom. Her gaze went to Nick who turned back around to face the door. She smirked inwardly as he walked back over and leaned on the door noticing how the button on his jeans was undone, his hair mussed and his cheeks were slightly flushed. "Night honey." She said with a grin turning to leave as he moved to close the door. "Oh and Nick..." She said turning one last time before going to the master bedroom.

"Yeah?" He asked stopping for a moment.

Mary smirked at him, "Make sure she gets at least a little sleep tonight ok?" She remarked before going into her room. She saw Nick's cheeks flush red in embarrassment for a moment and chuckled at him.

"Sure..." He said before shutting the door. He shook his head the looked down at himself and chuckled. He went over to Alyssa's stereo popping in a couple CDs to play softly as Alyssa poked her head out of the bathroom.

"She gone?" Alyssa asked with an expectant look.

Nick rolled his eyes and nodded, "Yeah she requests that I at least let you get some sleep tonight." He said smiling at her as he unzipped and kicked off his jeans as she stepped out of the bathroom leaning on the door frame in just a pair of boy short underwear and her bra.

"Who needs sleep?" Alyssa retorted as she stood there crossing her ankles as she leaned on the frame.

Nick came over to her and pulled her body to his. She giggled and wrapped her arms around his neck as he lifted her up against him and pivoted their bodies so he could place them both on the bed. Alyssa sighed and tangled her fingers in his hair as he began his journey kissing down the length of her torso.

The next morning...

Nick smiled at Alyssa as she busily cooked and tossed food in the large skillet pan. "Why are you cooking ahead of time?"

"Because I'd like to have lunch and dinner be rather easy since we're feeding your siblings and mine." She replied wiping her brow barely being able to stifle a yawn. Nick chuckled at her and let her set down the hot pan before handing her a steaming cup of coffee that he'd made for her.

After years of living with her he definitely knew how she liked her morning coffee. He watched her take a drink and close her eyes uttering a soft moan in delight. "Good?"

She opened her eyes and grinned, "Better than good, you make the best coffee it's like liquid sex."

Nick snicker-snorted at her and took the mug from her taking a drink tasting the coffee, caramel, dark chocolate and Irish crème he put in it. "Is that what sex is supposed to taste like?" He asked giving her a look.

Alyssa rolled her eyes. "Shut up. It's as good as last night was, how's that?"

"Good to know I'm at least good at two things." He remarked making her laugh.

She gave him a look and shook her head, "You're good at lots of things but coffee and sex are pretty close to the top." She replied making him laugh a little before leaning in and pressing his lips to hers tasting the coffee on her lips and tongue as he deepened the kiss.

He broke the kiss and smirked hearing Clark shout his hello from the foyer. "In here!" Nick shouted back. A few moments later Lori, Clark and little Jamie came in smiling. Alyssa and Nick both hugged Jamie before he ran off into the conservatory to play with his toys.

"Where's Mom?" Clark asked looking to his younger sister.

"Airport picking up Olivia, Angela and Nick's siblings." Alyssa replied as she finished getting all the ingredients together for lunch and dinner putting the lasagna in the fridge to chill and putting the chicken in a bag with marinade for lunch.

Alyssa washed her hands and tossed Nick a damp towel and they both cleaned up the kitchen. "So when did you two get here?" Lori asked with smile noticing how easily the two of them worked together remembering that this was how they'd act when they were friends and were doing things together.

"Day before yesterday." Nick answered as he tossed his towel into the laundry room hitting the basket. "We did a little shopping and hung out here with Mary..."

"Shouldn't you start to call her Mom?" Lori asked with a grin. "You know to get used to it since it's like what 6 months until you two finally get married."

Nick shrugged and handed them each a cup of coffee. "I guess but I'm just so used to calling her Mary. Do you call her Mom?" Nick asked.

"Yeah I do, she is like a mom to all of us not just her biological children."

Nick smiled, "True."

They both exchanged a smile as everyone drank their coffee. "Mmmm who made the coffee?" Lori asked.

"Nick did." Alyssa said in a sing-song voice making Lori and Clark crack up at her.

"You two had sex didn't you?" Clark asked finally succumbing to the fact that his baby sister was in fact no longer a baby but a full grown woman. Nick nearly choked on his coffee making Clark laugh at him. "It's okay man, I'm over it. I figure if I want nieces and nephews from you two then I'm going to have to at least accept the idea of you two screwing. Not that I ever want to picture it. Yuck..." He replied shuddering slightly.

Nick chuckled and shrugged, "Hey at least you don't know intimate details like I unfortunately know about you thanks to your wife and her big mouth."

Lori got a shocked look on her face, "You never had to sit in on the girl talk now did you?"

"You still don't get why I listened to the three of you blabber on about guys do you?"

"Then enlighten me oh wise one." Lori shot back with a smirk.

"First of all, it helped a lot with trying to understand women in general. And secondly, got to know what her reactions were to certain things so I knew limitations before I ever even went out with her."

Alyssa's eyes widened and she looked at him in shock, "You sneaky son of a..."

"Hey you did the same thing with hanging out with me and my friends so don't even think about getting all mad at me."

Alyssa rolled her eyes and chuckled before wrapping an arm around his waist. "Okay, okay you have me there."

"So how have you two been?" Lori asked with a grin seeing how open they were being with their relationship. Nick's arm was around Alyssa's shoulder and hers was around his waist as they both leaned onto the counter.

"We're good. Traveling has been fun as hell especially with Kellie along with. We miss you though, it's not triple trouble without you." Alyssa responded making Lori smile wider. "Been planning the wedding. Howie's wedding was definitely a lot of help there."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because it's exactly what I don't want in a wedding. It was enormous, and just completely them but could you imagine Nick and I having a huge Catholic wedding with 500 guests?" Alyssa suggested with her nose wrinkled. "Don't get me wrong it completely worked for them. But I'd rather elope than do that."

Nick laughed a little, "Will a beach wedding and 100 people there work for you then?" He asked reminding her of their agreement to keep it relatively small in comparison to his band mates weddings. It allowed for their families and some of their friends and colleagues to be there with them but they certainly didn't want the entire world at such a private affair.

Alyssa smiled and nodded, "Works for me. Hell anything really works I'm just looking forward to the party." She replied making Nick nod in agreement. The front door opened again making them all walk towards it seeing Olivia and Angela come in holding their bags. Ever the gentlemen Nick and Clark went and took their bags from them and went up to Olivia's old room setting them in there. Alyssa beamed and hugged her sister. "I missed you!" Alyssa exclaimed before pulling back and giving her sister a look. Olivia smiled at her and laughed noticing that she noticed she didn't wince when she was hugged. "Your ribs healed?"

"Yeah finally..." Olivia said before a loud clamor of voices interrupted her as they approached the door.

"Aaron you asshat watch where you're going!" One voice said.

"Don't wear hooker heels then Beej ‘cause you can't walk for shit in them." Aaron said as they walked in the door with Angel behind them.

Alyssa looked at the three of them with an amused grin. Bobbie smiled and gave Alyssa a hug. "Thanks for inviting us again." She said with an appreciative nod.

"I don't even need to invite you anymore remember you're family." Alyssa replied making Aaron roll his eyes from underneath his sideways baseball cap. "Hey now I can always return your presents you know." She threatened making him chuckle and give her a hug.

Nick and Clark came down the stairs just in time to see Alyssa steal Aaron's hat and put it on herself backwards over her long hair. He chuckled and came up behind her. "Starting that rap career already?" He asked with a grin.

Alyssa laughed but played along, "Oh yeah, I was asking your brother for street cred pointers since you know when you think of Aaron Carter you think wow that ‘mofo' is hard core!" She retorted making Nick snort from laughing so hard. His cheeks flushed red and he buried his face in her shoulder still laughing from her joke.

"I hate the both of you I swear." Aaron retorted before busting up laughing as well.

Olivia wiped her eyes as she continued to laugh with everyone else at Aaron's expense. "I don't know what's funnier, the jab at Aaron's music career or the fact that you said ‘mo-fo'." She remarked as Leslie and Mike came walking in with Mary and the last of the luggage.

"Well little Monroe's have big ears!" She remarked nodding to Lori who was holding Jamie. It seemed these days that everyone had to watch what they said around him.

"What's so funny?"

"Alyssa made a joke about Aaron." Angel said holding her sides that were hurting.

Mary smiled at all of them happy to be surrounded by her close and newly extended family. Once everyone got settled in Alyssa and Nick busied themselves firing up the barbecue grill and making lunch for everyone. Jamie came up to Nick wanting to be picked up. He looked down and picked up the toddler hearing him "ooh" and "aww" at the fire in the grill. "Hey Lori I think we've got a future pyro here he thinks the fire's cool."

Jamie gave him a confused look and replied, "No, fire hot!" He said shaking his head as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Nick raised his eyebrows and laughed a little.

"He's so smart!" Alyssa exclaimed, "Hell the kid gets concepts and everything and he's like what 20 months old?"

"Yeah pretty much, we talk to him and read to him all the time." Lori explained as Nick set him down and he ran back over to his mother.

"Mommy, Unca Nick funny." He said as he climbed up into her lap.

Alyssa grinned widely at him. "I love that he calls him uncle it's really cute."

"I know he always asks to talk to you if I'm on the phone with you. I'm just loving the whole stay-at-home mom thing it's so much more exciting than work ever was for me you know?" She explained making Alyssa raise her eyebrows at her.

"That's really odd to hear you say that though. I mean you always were Ms. Workaholic."

"I know but I love spending time at home with Jamie, we play with his toys and we go to the park a lot. I mean I'd hate myself if all I did was work at home and put him in front of the television as an electronic baby sitter. And we make stuff for Clark to see when he gets home from work. Hell Clark even has a break mid-week so we can just have family time."

Alyssa shook her head and smiled, "It's so odd to see you so settled you know? It's weirder to see Kellie's belly getting bigger all the time since she's pregnant."

"Oh I know. Who would have thought that after college we'd all be in serious relationships and settling down? You and Nick getting married, Clark and I. Kel and Alex? It's weird that's for sure."

Olivia and Angela chuckled a little as Olivia helped Angela into a chair. "I'm not going to break for crying out loud Liv." Angela replied rolling her eyes as she took her seat setting her hands on her rounded tummy.

"So what made you two decide to go back to invitro?" Alyssa asked earnestly.

"Well it hadn't worked with Olivia and the whole adoption process was getting more and more frustrating. Everytime we would get close to finalizing something, it would end up falling through because of some stupid glitch. It's not easy to adopt it's not like these celebrities make it out to be. It's not like we can go to a third world country and pick out any kid like it's a pet shop or something." Angela replied rolling her eyes.

Olivia took her hand and grinned at her. "But we tried with Angela this time which was kind of sweet revenge considering I got to give her the shots for it this time around."

"Yeah my ass is still sore from that." Angela quipped back making Nick shake his head and snicker as he closed the grill and sat on the arm of Alyssa's chair listening to the story. "Don't laugh, if you two ever have to go through it, it's like a gazillion shots." She said hyperbolically.

"Well thankfully we won't." Nick replied making everyone look at Alyssa as if she were already pregnant.

"No I'm not pregnant guys relax. What he means is I've been able to get pregnant twice without really trying so we probably won't need something that drastic." She explained making Olivia get a sad look. "What?"

"Nothing I was just kind of hoping that you two might be trying again." She said shrugging.

Alyssa grinned a little at her sister for wanting her to have a family as well, "Not right now, with the tour and everything it surprises me that we get any alone time at all. But I want to wait until we get married before we even discuss trying to get pregnant." She said with a grin up at Nick.

"Yeah, granted I want a family, but its still a little soon you know?" He said before getting up and checking on the grill again.

"And there's no rush. I'm just happy right now. Which by the way Lori, Olivia, you two are a couple of my bridesmaids. I still haven't decided on maid of honor yet. I know Nick hasn't decided on anything yet either."

"Of course we'll be your bridesmaids. Who do you have in mind for maid of honor?" Lori asked.

"It's between the two of you, Leslie and Kellie. I love all four of you but I can't make a decision. Lori you had me as your maid of honor and you're one of my best friends. Ollie you're my sister for crying out loud, Kellie's the closest friend I have since we hang out 24/7 when we travel. But then there's the one whose responsible for introducing me to Nick and that would be Leslie."

"What about me?" Leslie said as she pulled up a chair joining in on the conversation.

"Just laying out my options for maid of honor. Granted whoever I decide on everyone else is an automatic bridesmaid but still. It's hard when I have you four."

"What about Angel and Beej?" Leslie asked.

"I want to put them as bridesmaids unless Nick doesn't want that many groomsmen but I have a feeling we'll need them with how many friends he has."

Lori grinned a little, "Well if it makes this any easier I abdicate my spot for maid of honor. I definitely don't want all the work load that you had when I got married."

Alyssa laughed and silently thanked her for making her decision easier. "One thought I had was just doing siblings. I'd have Olivia and Nick would pick Aaron but I don't know yet, he may choose Chris. I know I want Clark to walk me down the aisle. It's what Dad would have wanted since he can't be there to give me away." She said looking down at her hands for a moment.

Olivia grinned at her sister, "Dad'll be there you know he will." She replied making Alyssa grin.

That evening...

Alyssa yawned slightly finally feeling all the work she'd done in the morning catch up to her making her feel exhausted. Nick gave her a look from across the table asking if she was ok. She nodded and grinned before trying to stifle another yawn while everyone chattered about while eating dinner. "Do you remember the Christmas when Dad almost electrocuted himself?" Olivia asked with a grin holding onto her wine glass.

Alyssa snickered, "God I was what five?"

"Yeah and dad was so excited about putting lights on the house that he forgot how to hook them up so he wouldn't overload the circuit. Sure enough he blew the transformer down the block and could have shocked himself." Clark replied making them all crack up.

"Jamie was always trying to do things to celebrate this time of year. Remember the New Years Eve party to ring in the new millennium?" Mary asked making Nick and Alyssa exchange and knowing smirk at each other. Mary saw it and looked between the two of them, "What did I say?" She asked not knowing the story behind that night.

Alyssa shook her head and smiled a little, "Nothing Mom."

Lori snickered and then looked at Nick, "Two words, jail - bait." She said making Nick's straight face crumble in laughter.

Everyone looked at them and Olivia caught on, "First kiss? That was when it happened?" She asked making Alyssa nod in response.

"Dude she was 16!" Clark added making Nick shrug not really knowing what to say.

"Oh please it was one innocent little kiss on New Years Eve. And the next time it happened was when I was twenty, so it's not like it became a regular occurrence so chill out."

"Yeah but I bet he wanted to." Clark said giving Nick a look.

"Like you said she was 16. And besides after that she started dating Collin and how many times did you catch them making out?" He countered making Clark roll his eyes. "Can't get mad at me, I waited until she was in her twenties to do anything." He added.

"He's got you there Clark." Alyssa added. "Well speaking of New Years are you guys coming with us to Vegas? The guys are performing at Body English and I think it would be fun if you could make it." Alyssa offered making Nick grin.

"Yeah we were asked to host the New Years party there. We're performing and hosting other acts that will be there too."

"Sounds like a plan to me." Olivia said with a grin.

Alyssa yawned again this time more than just Nick noticed. "Tired much?" Lori asked making a quick glance at Nick.

"Yeah, I was up really early getting all this food ready I guess it's finally hitting me. I might take a nap before church tonight." Alyssa replied.

"Nick you're not tired?" Lori asked.

"Not yet at least. She got up an hour before I did though." He added shrugging a little as he stood along with Clark, Mike and Aaron taking everyone's dishes to the kitchen. Each of the girls chuckled a bit at how the three of them automatically volunteered to do the clean up.

"Got em all trained don't we?" Lori snickered making Alyssa giggle.

Meanwhile in the kitchen Nick manned the sink while Clark cleaned the counters and the other two just busied themselves helping. "So why do we have to clean?" Aaron said whining a little. "There's more of them than there are of us."

"It's tradition. It's been this way since I was a kid. Besides it gives the girls a chance to be alone and gives us a break from the chick talk." Clark explained. Nick nodded in agreement and handed Aaron another dish to put in the dishwasher.

"Sounds a little sexist to me. Making us do all the dishes."

Nick snickered a little and gave his brother a look. "Yeah and the fact that Alyssa and the girls were the ones who cooked so they should have to clean isn't the least bit sexist right?" He shot back.

Back in the dining room Alyssa leaned back and sighed closing her eyes for a moment. "Sis go take a nap." Olivia suggested.

"No I want to stay up with everyone." She said brushing her off.

Mary rolled her eyes and patted her daughter's knee, "Go get some rest sweetie you got up very early to make all the food for today and get everything ready for dinner tomorrow, go rest you earned it. I'm sure you didn't get much sleep last night anyways." She added making Alyssa smirk at her.

"How'd you know?"

"He answered your door shirtless, all flushed with his hair messed up. That can only be from you young lady." Mary replied making the girls all give her a knowing look smiling at her.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and smirked, "I'm engaged leave me be."

"But in the house here? In the bed you've had since you were what nine?" Olivia countered.

"And the sheet set I've had since I was about 16, so what? I love him and I happen to enjoy sex. At least it's in my own bedroom it's not like Nick and I go and fuck in your room Mom." Alyssa shot back making a face. "Seriously, sex in the room where you and Dad would get it on..." She said shuddering. "Just ew."

Mary laughed heartily at the disgusted look on Alyssa's face. "And just how do you think you got here?"

"I know it had to happen but I'd rather not think about it."

"I cannot wait until you and Nick have kids and have them be all disgusted by the thought of you two screwing." Olivia replied chuckling.

"It's logical though. I certainly expect them to be grossed out. The idea of parents having sex to their kid should sound disgusting, if not then I'd think there's something wrong with the kid."

"Hmm true. Only time I was ever grossed out by it was when Dad would make jokes about it. Like he was just purposely doing it to torture us kids. Other times I prefered to not think of it."

Alyssa giggled at the memory and how their parents were always open about loving one another but also used that openness to joke openly with their kids. She leaned her head back as she slouched in the chair feeling even more tired than before. "I think I will go take a nap." She announced mid yawn. All the girls smiled at her as she excused herself to go upstairs. About twenty minutes later Nick walked back in seeing Alyssa's seat was unoccupied.

Mary saw his confusion, "She went to take a nap." She said nodding back towards the stairs.

Nick smiled for a moment then turned to go up the stairs intending on checking in on her. He walked up the stairs and quietly crept into her room seeing her faced away from him. He kicked off his shoes and socks and crawled into bed next to her wrapping his arms around her waist making her sigh and turn toward him. "Hi..." She said with her voice hoarse and full of exhaustion.

"I came to take a nap with you. That ok?" He asked with an almost innocent look on his face.

She grinned at him and nodded as she scooted over a little giving him more room on her bed. "I'm really tired for some reason." She whispered making him grin at her. "But I need you to do something for me."

"Anything..."

"Well I have my clock set for us to get up to go to church but can you just let me sleep until everyone's gone?"

Nick cocked his head to the side giving her a suspicious look, "You don't want to go? I thought you always went."

"Yeah but I'd rather have some time...alone...with you." She said hinting to the present he'd asked for the other day.

He grinned and leaned in kissing her softly. "Of course. I'll just tell em to go on without us. I have a couple presents for you too."

"Oh really?"

"Yep, good ones. I know you told me not to get you anything but it's Christmas...I couldn't not get you something." He admitted with a lopsided grin. She smiled back at him sleepily and lightly pressed her lips to his. He put a hand at the small of her back acting on pure instinct and pulled her in close to him as he deepened the kiss their tongues dancing together. Alyssa moaned lightly into the kiss before breaking it knowing if she hadn't that neither of them would want to take a nap. Nick breathed in her scent as she snuggled into his chest getting comfortable enough to where she began to drift back to sleep.

Nick smiled to himself as he felt her body relax and her breathing become slow and regular. He continued to just lay there like that with her, tracing small circles in the patch of skin he'd discovered at the small of her back.

A few hours later...


Nick awoke to Alyssa's incessant alarm. He half turned hitting it silencing it for the moment. Alyssa shifted against his chest her hand sliding up to where her palm as over his heart as he returned to his original position and kissed the top of her head inhaling the sweet smell of her dark hair. He reluctantly broke away from her going down the stairs rubbing his eyes seeing everyone was ready to go to church.

"Gee look who decided to get out of bed." Aaron said scoffing noticing Nick's tired eyes and rumpled clothes.

"Nick you better go get ready we're leaving in 10 minutes. Is Alyssa awake?" Mary asked with an expectant look.

Nick shook his head and scratched the back of his neck. "Is it all right if we don't go? She's still out of it and I'm going to go back up to bed myself."

Mary gave him a sympathetic look and nodded, "No problem honey get some rest." She said patting his shoulder.

He said good night to the rest of them and went back up the stairs to Alyssa's room. He slid back into bed with her listening to the overwhelming silence of the room that was only interrupted but the racket down stairs. Once he heard everyone leave and the cars pull out of the drive way he turned to Alyssa's sleeping form trailing a hand from her elbow to her shoulder. She moaned softly and her eyes began to flutter. "Liss, babe wake up...everyone's gone." He whispered as she took a sharp intake of air and opened her eyes.

"God how long did we sleep?" She said rubbing her eyes and sitting up feeling a strain in her back thanks to her old bed being so drastically different than the one she was used to at home.

He grinned and rubbed her shoulder sitting up with her. "Three hours...I think..." He said glancing to the clock seeing it was 11:40pm. "Yeah about three hours."

Finally feeling awake Alyssa stood and went into the bathroom brushing her teeth as well as Nick who followed her. They chuckled at each other for both trying to get the morning breath feel out of their mouths. Nick stopped for a moment later and sat on the counter in her tiny bathroom watching her pull her hair up on her head and wash off her smeared makeup and then let her hair back down once she was done. "What?" She asked looking at him with an amused look.

"Nothing, just watching you. You're cute when you do stuff to be girly."

"Yes because washing off makeup is so girly." She replied with a grin standing between his knees. She squeezed his knee and chuckled going into her room and going into her dresser taking out two boxes and an envelope. Nick smiled and went into his suitcase taking out the three boxes that ranged in sizes for her.

"You didn't have to get me anything."

"I know but I wanted to and hey you got me something." He retorted back as they both sat on the bed. He handed her, her first present. "Ladies first." He said with a grin.

She smiled at him and took the small box from him. "Now I'm sure this isn't a ring since you've already given me one." She said as she opened the small velvet box seeing two stone opal pendant. "My birthstone?"

"They're E's. I asked her for a family heirloom to give you for Christmas and she found those. I thought it was perfect."

Alyssa smiled wider and handed him his first present. "Your turn."

He tore at the envelope seeing a brochure for a weekend getaway. "Are we going somewhere?"

"We're not..." She said pausing as she watched the confusion grace his features. "It's a boys weekend for you and your friends to go to Vegas and have fun."

Nick laughed a little, "Telling me and my friends to have fun in Vegas is not always a good idea Liss."

She chuckled, "Don't worry I know you won't do anything too crazy. But I figured you would want to go to spend some time with them before the tour and then us getting married in the midst of all of that it'll be a little hard to just hang with your boys so I'm saying go, spit, scratch talk about your bitches and gamble a little." She replied as he handed her the second present.

She gave him an odd look and opened it seeing a cd case. She took it and looked at the artwork drawn on it that it was of the two of them. "I made you a dvd. It's of us, our families and such. Kind of all the moments that really stick out in my head." He said sheepishly with a grin.

She leaned over and kissed him. "Can I watch it later?"

"Yeah most definitely." He said as he took his second present from her seeing that it was rather heavy. He opened it and saw a leather bound journal that could double as a sketchbook with his signature engraved on the cover. "Wow..." He said flipping through it stopping on the first page where an envelope and picture of them lay. "What's this?"

"Something I wrote. Don't read it right now...I don't think I could handle the embarrassment." He rolled his eyes and opened it anyways despite her protests seeing that there was a poem and a short letter attached. He read the poem smiling at the imagery and symbolism she had written all the while her cheeks flushed crimson. He moved on to the letter a moment later reading it himself silently. It explained that she'd written the poem back when she was all of 19 on his solo tour for one of her prose classes and that he'd been her inspiration behind her words. He looked up and grinned at her, "I love it. Thank you."

"I figured you could use a new journal since you gave me your old one. And I thought what better way to kick it off but by giving you something that I wrote about you." She replied shrugging.

"It's perfect." He said simply. He hesitated handing her, her third present. "Can I save this until last?"

Alyssa nodded giving him a sideways glance and handed him his third present as well. He set her present aside and opened his, a large box that was light. He pulled back the tissue paper and saw the grey and blue Journey tour shirt. He gave her an odd look and turned it over seeing that it was the 1980 Departure World Tour. "I know you love Journey so I found this on ebay for like 12 bucks, it's an actual journey tour shirt from back in 1980. I figured you'd like it since you're a fan and all."

He grinned even wider, "Thank you it's great I didn't know you could find these things anymore I have all the other tour shirts but this one." He said referring to his collection that his father had given him as a kid.

"Well now your set is complete." She beamed proudly as he handed her the last present. She gave him an odd look and opened it seeing three very old looking books. She looked at the title seeing that each volume was a particular piece of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

"It's a first edition."

Alyssa's eyes widened as she looked up at him. "Where did you find this?" She asked perusing the pages.

"Remember when we went sightseeing in London? That's where. Got it at the market for like four pounds."

She breathed in heavily not believing what she saw. "Nick these are in amazing condition. Do you even realize how much these are worth?"

"No..."

"Sotheby's sold a first edition of Emma for 180,000 pounds. That's a nearly double in dollars if you think about it and a first edition of Pride and Prejudice? My God this is so amazing, thank you." She said hugging the books to herself.

He grinned. "Welcome, I didn't even know what I found until I was looking at it and saw the publication dates. So I looked it up and yeah first edition Jane Austen. I hoped you'd like it."

"I love it..." She interjected setting the books into her suitcase. She grinned at him and then came back over to him leaning over and pressing her mouth to his fervently making him groan at the sudden contact and his hands fly to her hips holding her. She broke her kiss with him and whispered. "Meet me downstairs in the music room in 10 minutes and not a minute earlier." She said before going down stairs and into the laundry room and changed her clothes.

She smirked at herself as she found the pink Victoria's Secret bag she'd hidden there and slipped into a simple lace and sheer chiffon camisole and a pair of boy short underwear to match the same burgundy color of the top. She brushed her hair out with her fingers before going into the music room and opening the lid to the baby grand piano then lit the various candles in the room her mother had put in there for Christmas decoration. Getting a wicked idea to let him see as he would walk in she then went to the piano pulling out one of her old books from under the chair. She opened it to one of her favorite songs and placed it on the sheet music holder before setting her slender fingers on the ivory keys.

Nick heard the soft playing come up stairs where he'd been waiting patiently. He got up and walked down stairs following the sound of the piano knowing she had to be playing. He was the only person that ever saw her sit at a piano anymore her own anxieties of performing in front of people had grown quite a bit since she'd stopped doing recitals for her private lesson teacher in junior high.

Once he reached the music room he stopped seeing a few candles lit one of the blankets from the couch had been laid out on floor along with some of the pillows that graced the couch and chairs creating a little nest of sorts. His eyes diverted then to the piano seeing Alyssa with her back to him playing softly and felt his heart beat increase exponentially as he took in her outfit during his approach behind her. He leaned down sweeping her hair to one side and pressing his mouth to the exposed skin making her fingers freeze in place elongated the chord she'd just played.

He bit down gently on her collarbone placing his hands loosely on her shoulders sliding them down her arms as she shivered at the feel of his teeth on her skin. She moaned softly her arms relaxing finally as her hands rested gingerly on the piano keys. "Nick...I can't play the piano if you're going to keep doing that." She remarked with a smirk.

He nipped at her pulse point and then turned her around swiveling the bench on it's wheels. "I'd rather do this..." He said leaning down again and claiming her mouth against his own. He braced himself on the piano keys behind her making her lean back slightly as a cacophony of sound came from where his hands had been placed over the keys.

At the same moment that Nick deepened the kiss exploring her mouth with painstaking slowness; Alyssa's hands went to his waist undoing his jeans and sliding her hand inside his boxers and wrapping her hand delicately around him. The simple action only served to provoke him more as his kiss became more aggressive, swirling his tongue around hers as he groaned in pleasure at the feel of her hands on him.

Feeling the strain in the muscles in his back from the awkward position of being bent over so far without much support aside from the piano he let his hands slide from the piano and take her by her elbows standing her up in on fluid motion. Alyssa broke the kiss startled by the sudden movement. She looked up into his face seeing his eyes that were drunk with lust. She felt his grip loosen on her arms as she moved one hand to tangle into his hair at the back of his head and the other moved up his chest to gently grasp his shirt collar pulling his mouth to hers fiercely.

His hands slid behind and around her back one staying between her shoulder blades and the other to the small of her back letting only his fingertips touch the lacey material of her underwear. He tightened his arms around her as they grew more passionate than before keeping their bodies pressed tightly together as if they couldn't be separated. In their reality that moment made the world extremely small, where there was nothing else but the contact between them.

Alyssa moved up to stand on the balls of her feet making them almost at eye level sliding their bodies together making a delicious jolt of what felt like electricity flow through each of them. Feeling restless, Nick moved his hand at her lower back down over her underwear and to her thigh grasping it firmly. He took her leg and wrapped it around his hip lifting her up off the ground. He turned and walked them back setting her down and motioning for her to sit on the couch.

She smirked defiantly at him with slightly swollen lips and a flushed complexion. She grabbed at his shirt taking it up and off of him. Alyssa leaned forward pressing her mouth to his chest in a chaste kiss at the middle of his chest. Moving upward to his neck she sucked a trail upward to his scruffy jaw nipping at it as he shut his eyes and moved his hands up to her shoulders. With great reluctance he pushed her back from him giving her a stern look. "Sit..." He said gruffly.

Giving in she sat on the couch towards the edge as he knelt in front of her. He placed his hands on her knees gently sliding them up to her hips and hooking his fingers underneath the lace like material. Knowing what he wanted she lifted herself up as he began to drag her panties off her hips slowly more for his own tortuous amusement than hers. He watched as he leaned back on his heels so she could lift her feet up slightly to pull them the rest of the way off of her.

As she set her feet down one of his hands grabbed her ankle and began sliding his hand up her calf and pressed his lips to her knee cap. Once his hand reached the underside of her knee he lifted is and held it in place as he began making a light trail of kisses down her inner thigh. She sighed and let a hand go to his head running her fingers through his hair just as he got to the crease where her thigh and hip met. Trying to get a little closer to her he pulled her knee over his shoulder making her slouch against the couch her breathing growing more shallow by the moment in anticipation.

Not wanting to prolong it any further he flicked out his tongue across her making her fingers tighten in his hair tugging at it as her head leaned back against the couch cushions and take a rather sharp breath. He stopped momentarily before continuing with increased pressure while the hand that held her leg over his shoulder began to softly knead at the skin on the outside of her thigh. He swirled his tongue around her clit making her shudder and moan. He smirked against her feeling her entire body shake from her shudder. Bringing his other hand up he slid his tongue inside her thrusting it gently as his thumb circled her clit getting rougher and quicker with each pass.

Alyssa arched her back and growled before looking back down at him as he moved his mouth away from her to kiss her other inner thigh. He came back to her getting rougher with her as his fingers drifted down and began thrusting in and out of her while he nipped and sucked on her. Her left hand moved down to her thigh holding on to his hand that still graced her thigh. He gripped her thigh tighter feeling the cool band of metal and diamonds that wound around her left ring finger. He moved his mouth and fingers faster on her feeling the muscles in her entire body begin to tense and quiver involuntarily. He heard her noises grow louder yet more strangled as her breath became so shallow she almost sounded like she was hyperventilating.

She felt the white hot tension in the pit of her stomach begin to reach a fevered pitch as she tugged harder on his hair. He knew she was very close and began humming slightly making her hips buck and a long strangled cry come from her mouth. She felt him keep going as she began to feel her orgasm course throughout her entire body. Her body tensed for a few moments before completely collapsing against the couch.

Nick chuckled as he kissed up her stomach over her camisole that in his haste he'd left on her. He pulled her up just enough as he sat forward onto his knees bringing his hands to cradle her face just above his own.

Still breathing heavily from her release she leaned down and kissed him aggressively sliding her hands up his triceps to his shoulders digging her nails into his shoulders. He broke the kiss looking up at the clear bright green in her eyes.

Alyssa broke apart from him for a moment crossing her arms in front of herself lifting the camisole up and off of herself. He let his eyes drag over her just taking in everything as he always did when she'd be that exposed to him. She blushed slightly before he leaned in and attacked her neck with his mouth making her arms wind around his neck and she sighed in delight. Undeterred from her plan she pushed him back and joined him on the floor reaching to his hips and began to tug at his jeans and boxer briefs.

In an effort to help her he scooted back towards the blanket and pillows as she pulled them off of him tossing them off to the side underneath the piano. Alyssa motioned for him to lay back on his elbows as she sat next to him leaning over and kissing upward on his chest to his mouth. He shifted his weight so he could bring one hand up to cradle her jaw as they kissed passionately. Smirking inwardly Alyssa began to slide her fingertips down his chest to his abdomen feeling his torso tense up in anticipation of where her hands were headed. She felt his breathing become labored but didn't falter in the kiss as her hands each began to trace a line down either side of his pelvic bone. She gently wrapped her hand around his erection making him break their heated lip-lock and breathe in sharply.

Alyssa giggled at him as she gently twisted her hand around him as she moved it up and down over his length. She watched his expression as his eyes closed momentarily and his jaw tightened trying to suppress a moan but realized his efforts were rather futile as she lightly squeezed her hand tighter around the head of his cock making him growl and move his hand back to the floor bracing himself on his elbows. She leaned in kissing along his jaw and nipping at his ear lobe. "Do you have any idea how incredibly sexy you look right now?" She whispered then sucked on his neck just below his ear.

He disregarded her question as he felt her lips move down his neck past his collarbone and begin a trail down his chest stopping momentarily to swirl her tongue around each of his nipples making him sigh and bring his hand up again burying it in her hair. He knew exactly where this was heading and as much as he wanted it to, his desire to possess her was all the stronger. "Liss...you don't...you don't need to..." He said stammering making her pause and look up meeting his eyes.

She gave him a sympathetic grin stopping her hands for a brief moment. She leaned up keeping their faces just mere inches apart. "I know I don't need to, but I like doing this for you so just enjoy it okay?"

He swallowed and nodded in response seeing her lean even closer brushing their lips just lightly together.

"Besides I like being the only one that gets to hear that growl you make when you come." She said with a completely straight face. He smirked at her loving that she was being even more bold than usual about what she liked and didn't like. It certainly was one of her sexiest qualities in his mind, that she wasn't afraid to tell him that she liked certain things.

He watched as she went back to kissing down his chest all the while her hands continued to stroke over him making his head swim with pleasure as her hair swished over his torso on her way downward. His eyes remained fixated on her as she pulled her hair off to one side over her shoulder. His breathing grew more shallow as his chest heaved for breath as he saw her mouth take in his tip while her hand stayed at the base gently squeezing and twisting as she moved it slightly up and down the length of which became smaller and smaller as her mouth took more of him in. It made him shiver just at the scene displayed before him let alone the sensation of her mouth and tongue swirling around him and her hand teasing him so completely.

Alyssa grinned inwardly hearing him moan loudly every time she'd bring her mouth back down onto him. She hollowed out her mouth creating even greater suction over his skin as she picked up her pace some of her hair falling back over her shoulder and shielding her from his eyes. With her free hand she simply pulled the few strands behind her ear not even breaking her rhythm over him for a moment.

Her simple gesture turned him on even more as her hand returned to his thigh lightly scraping her nails down to his knee. He continued to feel his orgasm building even more rapidly than before becoming unable to control the feelings coursing through him nor the sounds escaping his mouth. "Lissa..." He moaned over and over only serving to further encourage her to bring on his release just that much quicker. Her hand drifted between them and gently massaged his sack making a moan catch in his throat sounding almost strangled. His body tensed and he clenched his fists finally closing his eyes and growling loudly as his release hit him full force.

Alyssa swallowed his juices and then moved to lick around the head cleaning him up as well as easing him off his rather intense high. She smirked as she looked back up and him and moved to lay at his side kissing his chest affectionately.

He breathed heavily still trying to catch his breath that had been knocked out of him by the sheer force and intensity of his release. She giggled at him as he continued to struggle with his breathing. "You okay...?" She asked knowing that he was still coming off of his high.

He shot her a look and laid his head back letting out a long sigh. "Fuck...me that was just amazing." He said in response.

Alyssa chuckled at him again and kissed his cheek, "See I like satisfying you because of that reaction right there. Major confidence booster."

"Uh huh..." He nodded rolling to his side and pulled her in close.

She grinned up at him and she threw her legs over his hips contorting herself just so their bodies were lined up where all he had to do was thrust his hips forward and he'd be inside of her. He took the hint and kissed her lips moving his hips forward and entered her without warning. She gasped feeling him harden inside of her. She contracted her muscles around him making him groan and give her a look. She smiled sweetly at him and brought her hand up caressing the side of his face as they began a rather slow rhythm of rocking together.

Both of them were surprised at the intensity and the intimacy of their current position. Being able to look into each other's eyes on and equal level. No one on top or bottom controlling the action but just their bodies melding together, working together. The feeling of her body the way it was twisted and her legs kept together made the feeling of being inside her all the more intense and snug for him. Their hands roamed each other's bodies as they kissed passionately just enjoying the gentle motions their bodies were creating together.

Growing more and more impatient and needing something rougher than just the slow and easy movements Nick pulled away for a moment and rolled her onto her back. She grinned and spread her knees moving each on either side of his waist as he moved back into her with a bit rougher movements than before. Alyssa clung to his body moaning loudly and arching her back up as he came down on his elbows wrapping his arms around her shoulders to hold her as close as possible. She cried out as his lips tickled her neck then moved to suck on the tops of her breasts.

Just the feeling of him inside her as he kissed along her neck and chest drove her crazy and made her thrust her hips up against his wanting and needing him to move faster, and harder. She scratched his back lightly not wanting to tear at his skin hoping it would get him to move how she wanted. When it did not work she leaned up claiming his mouth against her own and rolled them over taking control over the situation. He smirked up at her brushing her hair behind her ears as she sunk down onto him closing her eyes and just reveling in the feeling alone.

His eyes roamed her face and down her body as his hands made their way to her waist. She placed her hands on his chest bracing herself as she began to rock her hips up and down then began moving in a circular motion changing every few seconds before finally settling on a figure eight motion that made her clit rub against his pelvic bone and her hair tickle along his abdomen as she bent over bracing her hands on his chest.

Alyssa opened her eyes a moment later locking her gaze with his own as she moved faster and harder making them both begin to moan simultaneously with every movement she made as his hands drifted upward to tease her nipples. Needing her to be closer to him his hands left her chest and came to her hands taking them and lacing their fingers as he brought them above his head bringing her face within inches of his own as she continued to rock against him.

They kissed fiercely both moaning into the other's mouths with every move her body made above his. Feeling the need to do something other than just kiss her he began moving his hips with hers against her movements rolling them up as she would come down making them hit together at just the right intensity that made Alyssa cry out. Nick felt her all too familiar shiver come across her body knowing that it wouldn't be much longer before she would explode against him. Her breathing became shallow as did his both of them trying desperately to hold off their inevitable orgasm for the other.

Knowing that they were both too close to even try to hold back any longer Nick put his hand between them and began rolling her clit between his fingers. Almost immediately her body tensed and began to quake as it sent her over the edge her hair flying everywhere as she threw her head back and screamed. Just the feeling of her walls convulsing around him was enough to send him over as well with a long groan. Alyssa collapsed against him her body wet with sweat and her skin was hot to the touch as was his. They laid their for a few moments their bodies still joined the only sounds in the room were their labored breathing that they both were trying to reign in.

A few moments later Alyssa finally lifted her head her looking through the hair that had fallen on her face to look up at his. She moved her hair out of the way and grinned lazily at him. "Lover..." She began her voice soft and sweet.

"Yeah?" He asked looking at her from where he was propped up with pillows.

"Merry Christmas..." She replied smiling at him both their expressions still drunk with pleasure from their encounter.

His entire body shook beneath her as he laughed at her remark. "Merry Christmas to you too sugar." He answered back between laughs. Alyssa leaned forward and placed a sweet but short kiss to his lips before resting her chin on his chest. He smiled at her as he played with her hair twirling some between his fingers as he rubbed her back with his other hand. She closed her eyes and sighed contentedly.

Nick looked around the room seeing all the musical instruments on the walls the various pictures and the piano next to them. He was about to say something else when they both froze hearing cars pull into the driveway. "Oh God they're back..." She said sitting up. They both scrambled cleaning up as much as possible blowing out the candles, returning the blanket to the couch along with the pillows. Nick grabbed his clothes and her camisole before they ran to the stairs and up to her room closing and locking the door just as the front door was opening. Nick and Alyssa quickly dropped everything and hopped into her bed facing each other and tried to be as quiet as possible as they heard everyone down stairs. "You got my clothes right?"

"Yeah I picked ‘em up with mine." He whispered back reassuringly as they both began to drift off to sleep the exhaustion from their physical exertions finally hitting them full force.

Meanwhile down stairs Mary looked around seeing that the house was still dark and relatively quiet. She walked into the music room where everyone had gathered none of them really all that tired. She looked noticing that the piano was open and one of Alyssa's old composition manuals on the sheet music holder. She shook her head thinking maybe that had been that way before they'd left. The next moment she looked around the room hearing everyone's conversation just taking it all in. She noticed there was an odd smell in the room almost like sandalwood. She looked to the candles she'd placed for decoration seeing the once white wicks were blackened and a pool of still very warm wax around them.

"I don't remember lighting the candles today." She said aloud during a lull in the conversation. "Or that the piano was open." She added making everyone look at her oddly.

Olivia shifted on the couch feeling something scrunched up beneath her. She pulled the object out seeing the burgundy lace boy short underwear that Alyssa had worn earlier. "Uh I think I know who had the candles lit and the piano open..." Olivia said dangling the drawers for everyone to see.

"That fucker..." Clark said shaking his head automatically knowing that it had to be Nick and Alyssa responsible for the underwear, candles and piano.

"Apparently he did..." Olivia retorted making everyone break out laughing. "I'm so teasing the hell out of her tomorrow." She said laughing.

Mary rolled her eyes and took the underwear from her daughter and putting it in the laundry room to be washed. "Now everyone I think it's time we all got some rest don't you?" She said on her way back herding everyone off to their respective rooms. She took one last look at the room and chuckled before heading off towards the stairs herself.

 

 

 

 

(**) Finale Reprise - Nightmare before christmas

Chapter 22: Christmas Time by Teri
Author's Notes:
Hey everyone I figured I'd update while I have some time on the weekend. I'm going to start trying to update at last once a week because we're getting into the best part of the story now. I've seriously been looking forward to the rest of the chapters because its got lots of things happening. Weddings, babies, a tour, new houses and of course more snarky dialogue lol. Hope you all enjoy!
Chapter Twenty-Two: Christmas Time

That following morning Alyssa stood in the kitchen flipping pancakes in a large griddle pan as Nick tried his best to be wonderfully distracting by kissing along her neck and shoulders. She giggled and sighed as she tried her best to remain calm and not give in fully to what he was doing because if she did that she'd end up burning breakfast.

Undeterred he licked along her tattoo at the back of her neck nipping at the skin gently, making her shudder. He loved doing things to her like this. Especially when she'd have her hair up in a messy bun leaving her neck completely exposed to him.

A few moments later Olivia came walking in smirking at the scene in front of her through her tired eyes. Nick was standing behind Alyssa, his mouth still clearly attached to her neck. Both of them in their pajamas; Nick in long pants and a wife beater and Alyssa in a simple black camisole and long pajama pants as well. "Mornin'." She said mid-yawn as she went for the coffee carafe.

Both Nick and Alyssa stopped and looked up smiling at her. "Mornin' sis. Sleep well?" She asked seeing that her sister looked rather tired.

"Yeah it was okay. Angie was having a hard time getting comfortable at night now that her stomach is getting bigger." Olivia replied as Angela waddled into the room one hand at the small of her back with her slightly rounded tummy showing between her pajama bottom and top.

Angela went for the coffee as well only to have Olivia snatch it away from her. "Oh come onnnn..." Angela whined really wanting her caffeine fix that she hadn't had since she they had gotten pregnant.

Nick chuckled, "You sound like Alyssa did when she was pregnant." He said with a slight grin. Olivia and Angela exchanged a glance seeing the slightly pained look that was only partially hidden by his grin. "Ollie you've been rubbing her back right?" He added quickly trying not to dwell on the subject.

"She does occasionally when it's really bad."

Nick grinned, "Freeze a can of beer or soda and use it on her back it'll make her back less sore and you'll be able to get better sleep that way." He added remembering how he would do the same for Alyssa when her back and neck would ache incessantly from the strain her pregnancy had caused on her body.

"That actually works?" Olivia asked in shock. She'd heard of the method before but to hear it come from her own future brother-in-law's mouth was something else entirely.

Alyssa nodded, "Yes very much so. And I'm surprised you would even need Nick to tell you that Ollie, are you slacking in being the diligent expectant second mommy?" She said with a snarky grin.

Olivia noticed the rather happy demeanor the two of them had between them. She smirked figuring that what they did in the music room last night must have been really good for them to not have a care in the world at the moment. "You missed a great mass last night. It was so beautiful even Aaron was into it." She said diverting their conversation to the previous night.

"Sorry we missed it. I was just really tired." Alyssa said simply.

Olivia bit her lip and grinned. "Oh I'm sure. So are you two excited to see what you got each other for presents?" She asked fishing for more information.

"We did that yesterday." Nick said inadvertently slipping that they'd already had a gift exchange.

Olivia chuckled knowing she had them exactly where she wanted them. She turned her snarky glance towards her sister and asked, "So what did jolly ole St. Nick get you this year? From the look of the music room last night I'd hope at least an orgasm."

Alyssa's eyes widened and she smirked not missing a beat, "Two in fact." She shot back making Olivia break out in a fit of laughter.

"Alyssa..." Nick said as his face flushed in embarrassment.

Alyssa rolled her eyes at him and sighed, "What you can go to Olivia on how better to get me off with your tongue but you can't admit to her that it works like a charm?"

Nick rolled his eyes back at her and started laughing. "You're terrible." He said chuckling as he placed a kiss to her temple.

Alyssa turned her attention back to her sister as Clark and Aaron walked into the room as well. "How'd you know?"

"Someone left burgundy lace panties in the couch." Angela remarked with a glance at Alyssa.

She elbowed Nick in the stomach. "Jerk you were supposed to get my clothes."

"I thought I had it. Sorry..." He replied meekly.

Clark grunted gruffly as he took a mug from Olivia. "Yeah be more careful next time. I may be okay that you two screw around but I really don't want to think of my baby sister in lingerie. It's rather disturbing." He said shuddering making Aaron laugh at him.

"At least you haven't walked in on it. If I had a dime for every time I walked in on them doing something sexual I'd be richer than I already am." He added.

Clark wrinkled his nose and shook his head. "Dude seriously...so lucky I like you man." He retorted at Nick who shot him a cheesy grin making everyone else laugh.

Just then little Jamie came running into the room shrieking with laughter and excitement. "Mawwie Cwiss-muss!" He shouted at everyone making everyone grin and wish him the same.

Clark picked the little red haired toddler up and hugged him. "Thank you Jameson that was very nice of you. Did Mommy tell you to come tell us that?"

Jamie nodded and hugged his father giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Mommy sed to open pwesents too!" He said excitedly.

Alyssa snickered a little, "He is way too smart for his own good." She remarked as Lori walked into the room scratching her hands along her scalp as if to wake herself up more. "Morning Lori..." She said tentatively seeing that she had yet to fully awaken.

Lori grunted slightly looking at everyone then giving a sleepy grin. "Morning everyone." She said before hugging Clark and Jamie resting her head on Clark's shoulder.

"Tired much?"

"Yeah haven't slept in, in a long time. This one gets me up at six every morning." She said pointing to Jamie.

Alyssa smiled and sighed as everyone moved over to the large fake Christmas tree that's bottom was completely filled to the brim with presents. She watched Jamie's eyes light up and his face brighten as he smiled looking at all of the presents.

Clark set him down as everyone found spots around the room. Alyssa and Nick took their spots sitting together by the tree ready to hand everyone their gifts. "Okay Jamie youngest goes first so here you go this is from Santa for you." She said making Jamie's eyes get big as he took the box from her tearing at the paper. He squealed seeing his present of a plush Elmo toy as Nick and Alyssa began handing out presents to everyone else.

Aaron smiled as he got his present from Nick and Alyssa, a silver money clip with his initials engraved on them. Leslie and Mike were next getting each tickets to the Toronto Blue Jays as well as a leather bound book that was full of blank sheet music for Leslie's song writing. Angel and Bobbie each marveled at their distinct gifts that Alyssa had personally picked out for them. A beautiful white cocktail dress for Angel and a profession cutlery set for Bobbie to use in her culinary career.

Alyssa's family was next as Clark received a new lens for his digital SLR and a few photo art books that Alyssa knew he wanted. Lori grinned getting her charm bracelet. Olivia and Angela gasped seeing an all expense paid weekend for expectant parents full of pregnancy massages, and relaxation before their baby would get here. Mary's hand flew to her mouth as she opened her present seeing a frame with a picture of herself and Jameson when they were in college. His scraggly dark mop of hair, her bright smile and rose colored glasses as they stood next to his vintage 1955 Chevy truck. It was looking into a completely different era. She gave them both a simple appreciative smile and nodded getting slightly choked up.

Finally Alyssa and Nick began to open their presents from everyone else smiling at the various things like a few books on Greek and Roman literature from Clark and Lori for Alyssa or more video games for Nick's Xbox from Aaron. Both of them smiled and thanked everyone just has they had been while everyone else opened up all their other presents.

Once everyone had opened all of their presents and said thank you-s to the gift givers Mary surveyed the room looking at her children and their now extended families. She missed them so much being away from where most if not all of them lived. She cleared her throat getting everyone's attention through the loud clamor of the room. "I have quite a bit of an announcement to make..." She said from her perch of sitting on the arm of the large sofa.

Nick saw the nervousness in her glance around the room seeing everyone's expectant expressions. He hoped that it wasn't to announce what she had told him she might have been planning months before. His grip tightened on Alyssa as he were certain her reaction was definitely not going to be a good one.

Mary drew another breath and began trying to not so abruptly drop this news on all of them. "Well I've been offered a teaching position at a medical school."

"Mom that's amazing!" Alyssa exclaimed stopping when her mother held her hand up stopping her congratulations.

"Well it's at Stanford..." She began again pausing to make sure her statements came across clear to each of them. "And I've accepted it." She added beginning to hint that she'd be moving away from Scottsdale and to Palo Alto where the school's campus is.

Alyssa's glance widened as her mother's announcement. "You're moving?" She asked hoping to clarify the situation further.

Mary nodded, "Since your father died..." She said looking at each of her three children. She gathered her composure looking down at her hands seeing her wedding band and engagement ring still gracing her left hand. "Since then...living here has been really hard without him. There are so many memories. But I want to be closer to you three and your families. I want to see my grandchildren more often than when you can come visit or when I have time in my schedule to fly out."

"So you're just abandoning our home?" Alyssa replied growing defiant against her mother's words.

"Honey this hasn't been your home for five years. Not since you moved to LA to start your life." She countered.

Alyssa stood and shook her head and walked out of the room fearing she would say something that she would regret. Nick sighed and stood going after her. Clark's minimal resolve finally broke and he added, "Mom whether this is our current home or not, we still all grew up here. You can't just sell it."

"It's already in the works I've talked to a few realtors but nothing's set in stone yet." She replied keeping her decision firm and unyielding.

Olivia shook her head not quite believing this conversation. "Jesus-fucking-Christ Mom, next you'll be selling off all of dad's things. It's Christmas and you think it's cool to tell is that you're selling the house we grew up in?"

Mary's jaw set as she narrowed her glance, "The present is that I'm moving closer to all of you, to be near you as my family. Palo Alto is only a couple hours from San Francisco and an hour from where Nick and Alyssa are moving to. It kills me to be away from you three so much and not see you as often as I would like." She explained tearing up.

At that moment Olivia stood and walked to her mother and hugged her fiercely while Clark sat and sulked with his wife and son. The others in the room sat in awkward silence unsure of whether they should say or do anything. True they felt like apart of the Monroe family but at this very moment they really felt like intruders on a very private discourse.

Meanwhile outside Alyssa sat Indian style next to the pool looking up at the sky as the tears flowed down her cheeks. Nick joined her a moment later and put his arm around her shoulders as she leaned over using his body for physical and emotional support at the moment. "I just can't believe she's going to sell this place...I mean I've lived in that bedroom upstairs since I was an infant. I learned to swim in this pool. Dad taught me how to play soccer over there on the grass under the tree. I helped set up the swing when I was 8. I just don't know how I'm going to do without having this place."

Nick closed his eyes just letting her rant for the moment knowing that if he didn't that she'd just clam up like she was so accustomed to over the years. He leaned his chin on to the top of her head and rubbed her shoulder as she finished her rant. "Not having this place to go to will suck, that's for sure. But look at what we're doing. We're making a new home for ourselves that our kids will look at like you and Clark and Ollie do. That's gotta be something right?" He asked hoping to make her feel a little better. He knew he was going to miss this house more than any other he'd ever visited or even lived in. The memories weren't the only thing that made the house what it is. The air in the house always smelled like food, someone was always talking to someone about something and animatedly at that. Although it wasn't to say that when Mary would move to California that her place or even their new home wouldn't hold the same special quality that seemed to follow the Monroe family no matter where they went.

"I don't think I can do this..." Alyssa admitted causing Nick to be ripped from his thoughts.

"Can't do what? Us?" He replied hearing his own voice falter and squeak with fear. The very thought of her backing out of their engagement scared the living hell out of him.

Alyssa pushed back from him and shook her head, "No, no I'm not saying that. Not in the least." She replied reassuring him seeing him take a sigh of relief. "No what I mean is we're moving to a new house. Mom's selling this one. We're getting married. It's just so much change you know? I don't think I can handle all of this." She admitted feeling her hands shake from her own fear.

"Can I tell you something?" He asked seeing her nod emphatically in response. He leaned in and kept his voice low as if he was letting her in on some great secret. "I'm scared too."

Alyssa cocked her head to the side and got a perplexed expression on her face. "But you're always so sure of everything. The move...the wedding...what are you scared of?"

"Same things you are. I'm scared of getting married. You know my family's track record with relationships and it's not very glowing. I'm scared shitless that I'm going to totally fuck it up and hurt you. Or worse push you away to the point where you just get fed up and leave me." He replied looking down at the water. "I know this move is a big change. And we can keep the house in LA if you want, use it for when you're too tired to drive home or if you want to go see Clark and Lori or Kel and Alex. But I want us to raise a family away from the celebrity hell-hole that is Los Angeles. Yeah it's a great city with a lot of great things but for us, to raise a family in paparazzi central? I'd rather protect our future kids from the kind of exposure I had when I was a kid."

Alyssa half grinned at his explanation. She loved that they were being more and more open with each other, more so now than ever. She was afraid of the same things as he was. Moving away from their first home together is a rather large risk and it showed the seriousness of their commitment almost as much as being married would. "I wish there was a way to keep this house..." She said absentmindedly as she stood and held her hand out for Nick to stand as well.

He wrapped his arm around her waist and led her back into the house where Clark was having a rather heated negotiation with Mary. "Mom seriously, I want the house."

Mary shot her son a look, "Honey I'm moving to California to be close to you kids not for you to just pick up and move here."

"No I'll keep it as a vacation house. I just don't want to part with it. I can't..." He said lowly noticing his sister had entered the room with her fiancé next to her.

"Clark you actually want the house? How are you going to afford it?" Alyssa reasoned.

Clark shot her a look knowing that even though he had a substantial savings from what his parents had given him when he'd graduated college, he also knew that the money was also being saved for when Jamie would go to college. "I'll figure something out..." He retorted. "I mean come on Liss do you want to give up this place?"

Alyssa shook her head, "No I don't. But it's not really my decision..." She said looking to her mother. "Part of being an adult is learning when to let go of the past." She added giving her mother her silent yet very reluctant acceptance of the idea.

Mary's eyes lit up a little as she came over to her and hugged her close whispering a quiet thank you to her.

At the same moment Jamie came toddling into the room and cocked his head to the side. He looked up and over at his father and then to his Aunt and Grandmother. "Evy-won otay?" He asked feeling concerned for everyone since the announcement.

Alyssa and Mary broke their hug and both scooped him up placing kisses to his cheeks. "Yeah we're all right. Sorry you had to see that lil' one." She replied.

Jamie threw his arms around her neck and hugged her tightly. "I wuv you Aunt Awi." He added making her grin and hug him back as she glanced to Clark whose resolve melted in favor of a grin.

Late that night...

In the low light of the guest house, Alyssa grinned widely as she pulled out a very worn grey cardigan sweater. She held it to her nose smelling the faint hint of her father's cologne that was almost gone. She slipped it on over her head and began sorting through the box she'd found it in. About a year after her father had passed away, in an attempt to move on Mary had packed away all of Jamie's clothes, his work possessions, and various things that only he used. She'd put it all in the closet of the guest house keeping it out of sight and out of mind. True she still had the millions of pictures through out the house and the various tokens of affection that he'd given her over the course of their 33-year courtship.

She heard a knock at the door and Nick poked his head through the small crack smiling at her, "There you are...I've been looking for you everywhere." He said coming into the small living room of the small three room house. "What are you doing?" He asked seeing a large box sitting in front of her.

"Dad's stuff. His clothes, sports memorabilia, his Pulitzers...I just wanted to go through it and take some of if home with us. You know to remember him by."

Nick grinned and sat down next to her, "I don't think you have any trouble remembering your Dad. But I get the sentimental value. Whoa...Michael Jordan signed this?" He said holding up a basketball with what looked like the entire Chicago Bull's signatures.

"Yeah he covered the finals when Phoenix was robbed back in '93. He got back in the locker rooms and after getting his stuff done he asked them all to sign a ball for him and they were kind enough to do it. Dad really had a way with words, he could convince just about anyone to do something for him." She said holding the Plexiglas case that held the ball suspended inside it.

"So what are you doing?" Nick asked looking at her sincerely.

She sighed and gave him a sideways glance, "Well, Mom told us to go through Dad's stuff and take what we want to keep. Certain things are off limits like the photo albums and his wedding band and his truck but it'll help her move if we take most of his things."

Nick grinned a little and rubbed his palm over her bare knee. "You're okay with this? Her moving closer to us I mean."

Alyssa chewed her lip and sighed a little. "I'm not completely okay with it but it's not my decision. She wants to be closer to us and I can't really blame her. Living here alone, it can get lonely I'm sure and I don't want to force her to live like that because I'm partial to a stupid house that I couldn't wait to move out of when I was 18." She mused chuckling at herself.

Nick pulled her to him and gave her a sweet kiss making her grin at him as he pulled back. "I'm really glad you're okay with this, when Mary told me about it a couple months back I was really worried about your reaction."

Alyssa's grin immediately fell and her voice flattened, "You knew?" She asked in shock making him realize what he had just said. "Why didn't you tell me?" She asked keeping her voice calm.

Nick shrugged, "I didn't want to freak you out. I learned not long after we lost Noah and it fucking scared me. I was hoping that she'd change her mind about it and forget the whole thing so it'd never come up. But apparently I was wrong on that notion. Are you mad at me?"

Alyssa thought a moment, she really wanted to be angry at him for not disclosing this major change to her sooner but she understood his reasoning behind it. Not long before he'd learned about it they'd lost their son and nearly each other in the process. Adding the fact her mother was considering moving out of her home was going to be something that Alyssa couldn't have handled at the time and instead of anger toward him she felt an all too different emotion...gratitude.

Nick chewed his lower lip nervously awaiting her answer knowing that he was probably in for one of the worst shit storms he'd seen in quiet a while from her. He gulped and tried to study her expression looking for any clues as to how it may have drastically changed her mood.

Alyssa looked down at her hands then back up meeting his glance and gave his nervous expression a sympathetic look. "I'm not mad...A little irked you didn't tell me but I understand why." She finally admitted making him look at her as if she'd grown an extra head. "What?"

"Who the hell are you and what have you done to my fiancée?" He remarked completely in shock from her reaction.

Alyssa laughed a little, "It's your fault you're the one who forced me to deal with my emotions like an adult by taking me to therapy." She scoffed back making him chuckle at her. "I mean okay I'm a little pissed at you that you didn't say anything for the past few months after all this opening up and sharing our emotions. But I also get that you didn't want to hurt me. So I should be thanking you for that, for at least trying to spare me any more drama."

Nick nodded, "Plus it wasn't my place to tell you. I went off on Mary when she told me because it upset me a lot too and I knew you wouldn't react well to it so I kind of snapped at her."

Alyssa's eyes widened and a snicker arose from her throat. "You snapped at my Mom?" She asked incredulously not knowing where Nick gained the courage to actually take on her mother head on.

"Well it shocked the hell out of her, she didn't really react and kind of shut up afterward. I just couldn't handle that on top of everything and her depending on me to be strong for you."

Alyssa wrapped her arms around his shoulders and sat across his lap. "So anything else you happen to be hiding from me? You're not a Liberace fan right?" She asked sarcastically making him chuckle.

"Oh yes I love show tunes too." He said mocking a feminine voice making her giggle at him. "But seriously, I'm sorry I didn't tell you but I just didn't even want to think of it. And for your information no I don't believe I'm hiding anything else."

The following morning...

Alyssa looked over seeing her mother standing in the driveway talking with Nick as he loaded another box into his rental car. The previous night they'd realized that they had too much stuff for them to ship back to their home in LA so they figured taking the rental and driving it back would not only get it all there but give them some time together. She watched as Nick went back up into the house as Mary made her way over to her.

"Well darling daughter...everything you wanted of your father's is almost all packed. Clark and Olivia are having me ship them their boxes." She announced smiling at her youngest child.

Alyssa grinned at her and wrapped her arm around her shorter mother's shoulders and leaned her head on hers. "Thanks mom, you know for letting us take what we wanted and all of Dad's stuff."

Mary grinned and hugged her daughter back. "I'm really glad that you and Nick made it out for the holiday. For awhile you two really had me worried but you've made me so proud you know?"

Alyssa gave her mother an odd look breaking their hug. "Proud? Why are you proud of me? Of us?"

Mary sighed and looked around then back to her daughter. There were so many reasons to be proud of them; both of their careers were successful, they were happy together. But most of all what'd they'd been through, most couples could not have handled it. "You two fought through when most couples would have given up. Especially after the loss of Noah."

Alyssa sighed and nodded, "It wasn't easy. It's still isn't." She admitted.

Mary gave a slight shake of her head. "Believe me I know. But you two survived, your relationship survived. I couldn't be more proud of you that you didn't give up. You remind me so much of your father that way."

She grinned appreciatively at the comparison of her father. She always wanted to be like him, his kindness and generosity were two of his best qualities. But most of all Jameson always had an intense drive to never give up on the people he cared for most. In someways she always hoped that she'd have that to some extent. She did know that Nick had it in spades. In all their years of friendship and relationship he'd never given up on her even when the night where he'd caught her cutting again he still hadn't really given up on her. "I couldn't give up on my relationship once Nick showed me how to fight for it. Before then I was ready to pack everything in." She said solemnly. She hated admitting that she felt like the weaker one out of the relationship but sometimes that's how she felt.

Mary took her hand in her own and shook her head at her, "No you wouldn't have given up darling. You love him too much to have given up on each other. Just like I know that when you two are ready you'll have a family together."

Alyssa shrugged, "I'm scared to even try. I don't want to get my hopes up and then have it taken away again." She replied quickly.

Mary took a breath and bit her bottom lip. "Do you promise not to tell your siblings what I'm about to tell you?" She asked getting a serious nod from Alyssa. "After we had Clark your father and I were trying for another baby. Not right away but about a year after he was born we really wanted a third child. The reason why I said a while back that I understand what you were going through is because before you, we had two miscarriages. Olivia and Clark thought that I had just gotten a little fat and didn't quite understand that I was pregnant. After those miscarriages your father and I were so completely broken emotionally that we didn't even want to try again. But we waited, we let time and each other heal our wounds and we tried one last time...and it brought us you." She explained seeing all the information register across Alyssa's face. "So if we had been too scared to try again...I wouldn't be talking to you right now. I wouldn't have the memories of watching you grow into such a remarkable woman or even watch you fall in love with Nick. And really I'd regret that if I'd been too scared to try again."

Alyssa chewed her lip and processed all the information her mother had given her. She knew her mother was right, that giving into her own anxieties would only keep them from any future happiness. At the same time she also realized how strong her mother really was. To have gone through the loss of two pregnancies and to witness her youngest child go through something rather similar. "Mom I never...knew just how much you and Dad had gone through."

"I know. We didn't want you kids to ever feel the pain that we'd gone through together so we kept it between us, relied on each other and became stronger because of it. To see you go through a miscarriage and then to lose Noah the way you did. It broke my heart to watch the pain and grieving you both felt. I'm glad Nick kicked us all out when he did. It let you two gain that strength in each other that Jamie and I did. He would be so proud of the both of you." She replied.

Alyssa leaned over and gave her mother a firm hug letting all her emotion and gratitude be communicated through her simple affectionate gesture. Nick walked out a moment later and grinned at the exchange between the two of them. Both of the women broke away from each other and blushed at Nick's presence. "Oh don't mind me..." He said loading the final box into the rental.

Mary and Alyssa shrugged and laughed together before Mary headed over to the bottom of the driveway to grab the morning newspaper. Alyssa walked over to Nick and wrapped her arm around his waist and leaned up pressing her lips to his. Grinning against her lips he brought one hand up to hold onto the back of her neck while the other snaked around her waist to hold onto her belt that ran along the small of her back. Mary walked back up the driveway seeing the liplock between the two and grinned a little as they broke apart hearing whispered ‘I love yous' being exchanged.

Nick kissed Alyssa's forehead and hugged her body tightly to his own. He opened his eyes seeing Mary grinning at the two of them and he inwardly blushed a little at the intrusion on a relatively private moment.

She gave him a nod and a grin reassuring him of his place in the family. Alyssa broke away from him and turned seeing her mom there and smiled at her as she walked over. "So Momma you're coming to Vegas for New Years right?"

"Of course honey, as long as you don't mind partying with you're old hippie of a mother." She replied chuckling at her self-deprecation.

Alyssa snickered and hugged her mother. "Momma, I'll always want you to come hang out with us." She said proudly.

Nick grinned and moved in giving her a hug as well after Alyssa had backed away. "Thanks Mary, for everything really. I'm actually kind of looking forward to having you live in California." He admitted making her smile and hug him tighter.

"I am too." She whispered back. "Take good care of my daughter now." She added breaking away saying it loud enough to make Alyssa snicker. "She's very dear to me." Mary continued giving her youngest a wink.

Nick smiled and nodded, "I always do." He said as Alyssa got into the truck. Nick got in a moment later and the two of them began to pull out of the driveway.

Alyssa sighed waving to her mother as they slid down the driveway. "I can't believe this was one of the last times I'll stay in that house." She remarked while Nick drove down the street.

Nick gave her a quick sympathetic glance and placed his hand on her knee. "I know. But at least we'll have her closer to us so she can visit more often." He replied consoling her still existent sadness of losing the house she grew up in.

She smiled at him and nodded. "I know you're right." She said taking a deep breath feeling slightly more at ease with the uncharted territory they knew would be ahead of them in their relationship.


End Notes:
Thanks for reading!
Chapter 23: City Of Sin by Teri
Author's Notes:
Woo the vegas chapters have begun! lol I hope you all enjoy for the next couple chapters or so. LOTS going down and a BIG huge thank you to Mel, April and my brand new writing buddy Darby! Thanks all three of you for all your encouragement! You rock!

Chapter Twenty-Three: City Of Sin

Alyssa stood in her closet staring at the drawer in front of her as she weighed what lingerie to take with her on their trip to Vegas. She held a few different pairs of bras in her hands and looked through her drawer feeling like the proverbial girl with nothing to wear. She snickered to herself and looked to the side where her robe would normally hang and didn't find it there. She knew she wanted to take it with her and just didn't know where it was at the present moment.

Ever since Nick and Alyssa along with Kellie and AJ had all decided to head out early to Sin city, she felt as if all of her possessions that she'd wanted to take with her on the trip, her favorite pieces of clothing, shoes, and jewelry seemed to all have gone and hid themselves on her.  She knew she'd probably find them eventually but she wanted those things knowing that Nick loved them on her.

Especially after the year they had she felt like she owed it to them as a couple to rejoice in the fact that it was truly almost over by taking all of her favorite and his favorite things of hers to celebrate the year's end. She looked around trying to locate her robe. "Nick have you seen my white silk robe?" Alyssa asked as she searched through her closet.

Nick came over poking his head into her closet grinning at her as he leaned against the doorjamb seeing her standing there in a simple jeans and tee-shirt. "The one I gave you?"

"Yes, I wanted to take it with us to Vegas." She replied holding on to a few pairs of bras and underwear. He looked at her hands and grinned. Was she honestly trying to torture him?

"I think it's in the bathroom on the back of the door. Bringing lingerie on the trip?" He asked seeing her drawer that was full of her bras underwear and lingerie wide open.

She chuckled a little, "Duh..." She mocked with a grin. "It's Vegas...It's practically expected to get a little wild there." She replied making him laugh at her. "And it's New Years on top of that so I figure some of my best lingerie is in order to celebrate ending the year from hell."

Nick smiled and wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her. He broke the kiss and retorted, "See now you're best lingerie is invisible."

Alyssa rolled her eyes and set the lingerie down hanging on the drawer as he backed her up against her wall of shelving for her shoes. She grinned as one hand crept up his shoulders and to his neck. He leaned in pressing her completely into the wall of shelving making them perpendicular to the open closet door. Alyssa sighed as their lips met.

Nick's hands slipped around her waist and one slipped underneath her shirt and the other slid around her midsection into her back pocket pushing her body into him even more. She groaned into the kiss feeling his body temperature rise another few degrees and his heart pound in his chest just as hers was at the present moment. His shoulders tensed every time that her tongue stud would hit his tongue as they dueled passionately trying rather futilely to get the other to submit defeat and give over control of the kiss.

As if the same thoughts ran through each other's minds one hand of each of theirs traveled in opposite directions. While his caressed the ticklish skin of her ribs underneath her shirt, her fingertips blazed down to the middle of him to the top of his jeans. Feeling his hand reach the side of her chest she grinned and broke the kiss for an instant watching his expression as she pressed her palm against his lower abdomen and slipped her fingers underneath the still buttoned waist band and smirked as his breathing and touch simultaneously tightened in anticipation.

Feeling her hand manage to wrap around him as best she could in the confines of his jeans he leaned in keeping their lips so close that they were just barely touching as his thumb lightly moved back and forth over the thin cotton of her bra. She cocked her head to the side and breathed heavily just as their lips met yet again this time instead of the fevered need of contact like before this was slow, deliberate and full of care. Alyssa's other hand lightly massaged the taught muscles in his neck before moving slightly up to tangle them in the short hair at its nape. Both of their bodies were hot to the touch, their breathing equaled in labor as he moved his hand in her back pocket to her thigh lifting it up to wrap around his leg.

Standing just outside the closet, a very pregnant Kellie stood hands on her well-rounded hips and a devilish smirk on her face. She noted the placement of their hands and how he'd brought the hand that had been on Alyssa's thigh up to graze a path from chin to ear. "Carter don't you think it's time you came out of the closet?" She announced loudly with a snarky tone that made the both of them jump having been oblivious to any other presence in the room...or the world for that matter.

"I've got to find a new place for the fucking hide-a-key..." Nick muttered under his breath as they withdrew their hands and reluctantly pulled away from each other.

Kellie giggled at them as Nick grumbled and walked out of the room and down stairs where AJ was standing. Alyssa rolled her eyes and leaned on the shelving where she'd been pressed against just moments before and now was attempting to calm herself down from her heightened state. "Figured you'd get a quickie in before we showed up?" She asked with a grin sitting herself down on the foot of the bed and resting a hand on her stomach.

"No, just I was picking out lingerie to take on the trip and we got a little carried away is all..." She replied shrugging and joined her friend on the bed laying back and taking a rather large breath still feeling wired from the intense contact.

"You know..." She began turning slightly to look down at her friend with a satisfied glance. "I'm kinda glad I decided to come see why you two weren't answering the door." She continued making Alyssa's expression become that of sheer amusement.

"Turned on much?" Alyssa retorted with a snort making Kellie roll her eyes and smack her arm.

"No, just to see that, how you two have changed. What I walked in on pretty much sums up why you haven't really been all that vocal about your bedroom activities." She remarked rather amused to have seen such an intimate moment between them one that was so completely different than anything else she'd ever witness transpire between them.

"And why is that Keller? Please enlighten me?" Alyssa requested raising her eyebrows at her.

Kellie grinned and lay on her side propping herself up on her elbow. "Because that type of intensity is difficult to define let alone describe." She reasoned. "Definitely the most intense thing I've ever seen between you two and remember I've seen you two make out, kiss, and even have sex before. And that...blows all of what I've seen before to hell." She explained making Alyssa flush crimson in embarrassment.

"I guess I should be flattered..." She replied. "Honestly I don't know where this intensity is coming from. I definitely feel it. At least now I know that others can see it too."

Kellie nodded and slowly sat back up as did Alyssa before they both headed downstairs to join their men. Nick's attention from his muffled conversation with AJ diverted when the stairs creaked underneath the girls' feet. He looked over his face displaying exactly the frustration and longing that he was feeling as he looked at them. Kellie glanced at Alyssa who, for the sake of being polite to her friends ignored it for the moment and went to give AJ a hug.

"Sorry about Kellie interrupting..." He began to explain sheepishly only to be stopped by Alyssa shaking her head.

"Don't be, it's all right, it's nothing that can't be finished later." She said with a slight chuckle breaking through her words and quick glance to Nick who shoved his hands into his pockets to restrain himself from taking her hand and running them back up the stairs. "Anyways I need to finish packing and then we'll get to the airport, I think all I have left is some clothes and my toothbrush." She chuckled a little as she went up the stairs again and walked back into her closet.

Kellie turned and followed her with a smirk to AJ. Both guys looked at each other from their spots then bolted up the stairs to join the girls in the master bedroom. Kellie giggled from her position of leaning on the edge of the bed as she watched both guys come into the room. She rolled her eyes as Alyssa stuck a hanger outside of the door as Nick and AJ each sat on the bed as well. "No..." Kellie said answering Alyssa's silent question.

Slightly defeated Alyssa put the hanger back in the closet and grabbed another showing a thigh-length navy blue cocktail dress. "How about this one?" She asked with an expectant look.

"It's Vegas, that's way too conservative for Vegas." Kellie reasoned making Alyssa's brow furrow in frustration.

"It's classy."

"It's school marmish." She retorted exaggeratingly making the two men chuckle at the exchange.

Alyssa sighed and threw down the garment as if it had grossly offended her. "Now I really seriously understand why you never have anything to wear Keller..." She shot back turning on her heel and going into the closet again.

"That's what shopping is for dear." Kellie added as she slid herself back to sit on the bed letting her feet dangle off the edge.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and groaned. "So you're saying I shouldn't pack anything and just buy new stuff?"

"No pack everyday clothes and the basics but for the party and lingerie I'm thinking going shopping would be the best course of action there."

Alyssa glanced over at Nick who shrugged and she went back into her closet chuckling loudly when she came across a certain hanger that held a black corset top and short black skirt. She poked her head back out of the closet dangling the outfit out for everyone to see. "Lookie what I got here..." She said with an amused grin.

"Is that?" Kellie asked as she stood coming over to it examining it. Alyssa smirked and nodded and glanced over at Nick whose a face had completely sobered and was staring rather intently at her remembering the garment like it was yesterday.

"Yep it's the outfit you designed for my 21st birthday." Alyssa remarked feeling Nick's stare upon her. She grinned inwardly knowing that he remembered it quite well.

"I didn't know you kept it though." Kellie replied.

"Of course I kept it." She added. "It was a pretty important birthday you know..."

AJ and Kellie snickered a little as they noted Nick's faraway expression and Alyssa's slight admission as to why she kept it. Nick took a breath remembering exactly what Alyssa looked like that night, the way her hair hung down her back, and how the outfit showed off her legs. His mind flashed to what happened as well. His heart pounded a little and he shook his head trying to rid himself of his thoughts.

Alyssa saw the thoughts run across his face and his eyes darken intensely. She bit her bottom lip and put the outfit back in her closet before joining him on the bed snuggling close to him as he wrapped his arms around her protectively as he sat with his back against the headboard. Kellie grinned at the two of them and rested her arms around AJ's shoulders. "So..." Alyssa spoke suddenly breaking the silence in the room. "I think I'm pretty much packed as far as normal stuff. But I think you're right Kel, we'll go shopping for anything else. I just don't like spending money all the time I'd like to save some at least."

Kellie rolled her eyes at her and smiled. "Alyssa it will be fine it's not like we're going to buy haute couture or anything..." She replied making Alyssa snicker.

"And do we get to join you on this shopping excursion?" AJ asked with a hopeful cheeky grin. "You know to get a guy's opinion on how you two look..." He added.

Alyssa giggled and Nick snickered as well. "Sorry Alex but I like certain things I buy to be a surprise." She replied making the two couples laugh.

That night...

Alyssa stretched as she entered the hotel suite setting her bags near the sofa. Nick closed the door behind her bidding Kellie and AJ goodnight and leaned against the door once it was firmly against the jamb. "The tour's not even started yet and I'm already tired of all our traveling." He said with a slight smile; his eyes roamed her body as she leaned back stretching her abdomen.

She relaxed herself and chuckled a little at the sight of him watching her out of the corner of her eye. "I know what you mean, but at least we're together right?" She replied.

He simply nodded and pushed himself from leaning on the door to move across the room to her. "So..." He began with a grin as his arms wrapped around her waist and pressed his hips into hers.

She smiled brightly and leaned up lightly grazing their lips together before backing away and making him groan in frustration at the light almost non-existent contact between their mouths. He knew she was only teasing him but after the morning's episode in the closet and having to hold back for the rest of the day was relatively torturous for him. Alyssa saw the frustration on his face and giggled as she walked backward toward the bedroom of the suite kicking off her shoes and inching her shirt up her midsection teasingly.

His eyes narrowed at her playful expression as he stood still for a moment then bolted to her making her squeal loudly as she let him catch her and pick her up. He carried her the remaining steps to the bed throwing her on it smirking at the shocked expression on her face as she hit the mattress. The shock then turned to a smirk as he took off his shirt and leaned forward to crawl up to her on the bed.  

Alyssa placed a hand on his chest stopping him from crawling all the way on top of her. He gave her a very confused look. She smirked and slid to the side kicking off her jeans and taking off her bra before Nick grew too impatient and pulled her back to him, pinning her nearly naked form beneath him. Both sighed as their bare torsos were pressed against each other as he slipped his tongue inside her mouth to dance playfully with hers. Alyssa grimaced slightly feeling the cold metal buckle of his belt pinch into the skin on her stomach. He broke the kiss and gave her an odd look. "You alright?" He asked in concern.

She didn't answer but instead reached between them with both hands and undid his belt and jeans and began pushing them and his boxers down over his hips with much difficulty. Nick noticed the struggle and rolled onto his back forcing the offending clothing off of himself and onto the floor at the foot of the bed. Alyssa moved over top of him straddling his waist smiling down at him pulling a few strands of hair behind her ear before leaning over and claiming his mouth in a sultry kiss. He moved his hands from her hips up to tickle along her spine making her shiver against him slightly. He grinned into the kiss and rolled them over and got on all fours above her leaning onto his knees so that he could move his hands from her back, around her rib cage and slide them down the lazy curve of her waist to just underneath the stitching on her underwear.

Alyssa lifted her hips as he pulled them up and off of her legs tossing them over his shoulder to some unknown place in the room. She leaned up and wrapped her arms around his shoulders and pulled him to lie against her. The laid there for what seemed like minutes, hours even just staring at each other, and their faces just a few inches apart. He brought a hand up brushing the back of his fingers along her jaw starting at her chin while he leaned in grazing their lips together gently. Both of them closed their eyes as the kiss began to deepen and grow more heated with every moment that passed.

Alyssa's fingertips danced across his shoulders and up the back of his neck tangling into his hair. Just then a noise made the both of them stop and look at each other. Another moment passed by and another sound came through the wall. Alyssa perked up her ears realizing that it wasn't a something causing the noise but someone...The couple froze hearing the low shallow breathy moans coming from the next room and Alyssa snickered hearing another much lower voice join in as well. "Is that...Kellie?" He asked.

Alyssa nodded and her hand flew to her mouth stifling a rather loud roar of laughter that flew from her. Nick hushed her and listened for a moment an amused grin playing on his face as he fought the intense urge to laugh. "I didn't know Alex could make her sound like that..." Alyssa said with a giggle.

"Neither did I..." Nick added as they both busted out in laughter at the ludicrousness of their situation. Here they were laying naked poised and ready to fuck each other senseless and their friends beat them to it.

"Seems as if we all think alike." Alyssa replied noting their present situation. She pulled him in a little closer letting her voice drop an octave or two while still keeping her voice rather playful in tone. "You think we could be louder?" She asked as if it could be some sort of contest.

Nick snickered in response and pushed her knee up and off to the side of his hip as she did the same with the other letting him plunge inside of her. Alyssa moaned loudly, closing her eyes and arching her back at the sensation. He moved slowly but forcefully against her as she gripped his shoulders and ground her hips against his. His mouth attacked her neck and collarbone as his own grunts and groans grew louder with hers. Alyssa's hand tugged at his hair as the other dug into his shoulder blade making him shudder and growl from the slight pain that only served to heighten the pleasure coursing through him.

"Harder..." She pleaded breathlessly knowing that he'd oblige. He grinned and bit at her neck making her shriek at the slight roughness. He pushed harder into her but not as much as she would have liked. Impatient and with growing forcefulness she pushed him off of her and onto his back. She went to straddle him but he moved to lie back against the headboard and the wall. She grinned at him and straddled his hips sinking down on him rather quickly making him growl at the quickness to her movement. Alyssa steadied herself with her hands on his shoulders and to his neck holding his face just below hers as she moved herself on him with a roughness that had them both breathing more heavily than before. Alyssa kissed him only slightly muffling their sounds that were growing louder and louder as they each grew closer to release. Alyssa felt her body begin to tense and simultaneously grow weaker as her orgasm was fast approaching.

He felt the change in her movement and how she felt in his arms and all around him. He smiled to himself and gripped her hips assisting her making her move how he wanted her to as he broke the kiss and moved his mouth down her neck and to her chest nipping at the sensitive flesh. He felt his body tighten as he teetered on the edge himself. Any notion he had of holding back was quickly dashed as he felt her muscles contract around him sending him over with a long guttural growl. Alyssa felt his release and moved a little harder on him before feeling her own orgasm wash over her. They remained in the same position for several moments afterwards, his hands on her hips, hers around his neck, their foreheads pressed together and their eyes closed as they both tried to reign in their breathing, keeping themselves so intimately connected.

Alyssa bit her lower lip, unable to stifle a giggle that erupted from her. Nick opened his eyes feeling her body shake with laughter. "What's so funny?"

"My toes are numb..." Alyssa replied as she rested against him. He grinned and brought a hand up to her face cupping her jaw as he brought her in close to press his mouth to hers once more.

The following day...

Nick breathed in stirring in his sleep early that morning. His eyes opening slightly and he looked around the room remembering that he was in a hotel. He sighed and looked to his right seeing Alyssa's still sleeping form. She was on her stomach her arms underneath the pillow that supported her head. Her hair draped partly on her bare back and partly off to the side and the starchy white hotel sheets came up to just around her hips.

He grinned seeing that she was still out cold having slept in for the first time in months. His eyes studied her peaceful expression the few light freckles smattered across her cheeks that you couldn't see unless you were really looking. He grinned as his eyes traveled away from her face and down the side of her seeing her silhouette pressed against the mattress. He leaned over inching his way closer and trailed his fingertips down her back to the two dimples at the small of her back following the curve of her spine.

Still not awake from the light touch she half moaned and turned on her side facing him, her arm instinctively falling to cover her chest. He leaned in kissing her forehead gently trying rather futilely to wake her up. When he realized that nothing he did aside from playing loud music and shouting was going to wake her up he sighed and got up tossing the sheets to her side as he walked to the bathroom turning on the shower trying to be as quiet as he could to allow her some more time to rest. As much as he wanted her awake he knew that she'd want her rest as well. He showered himself and dressed in a pair of comfortable khaki pants and a polo tee. He looked over seeing that Alyssa was still fast asleep and he grinned.

Getting an idea he picked up the hotel phone calling down to the restaurant for room service. He made their order and then busied himself at the table across from the bed. He loved the suite they'd gotten, there weren't really any doors separating the sitting room and the bedroom making it seem even larger than it was. He sat pensively at the table looking out over the strip from the window. His glance came back around to Alyssa and he sighed contentedly.

He honestly didn't think his life could get much happier than he was right now. He knew he did eventually want to get to this place in his life...he'd hoped that it would include a better relationship with both of his parents but he decided that keeping them at a distance was the best course of action. Maybe someday he'd be able to loosen the boundaries between them and repair the relationships between himself and his wayward parents. He was glad however to find that he could rely more and more on his siblings and Alyssa's family for the support he wish he had from his parents.

Before he had more time to dwell on his thoughts there was a slight rapping at the door signaling that their room service had arrived. He greeted the young bellhop that brought him the rolling tray of food that had metal covers over the plates. Nick directed him to bring it over into the bedroom. He snickered to himself when the guy's eyes widened for a moment then smirked seeing Alyssa lying in bed. As exposed as her skin was, the sheets and her arm was still covering all the parts that counted.

Chuckling to himself he tipped the man generously and closed the door behind him as he left. It gave him a great swelling of pride for himself to see another guy try to not stare at his fiancée. As much as he was protective of his woman he did sometimes feel validated that not only he found her to be physically attractive.

Shaking his head at him thoughts he walked over to Alyssa kissing her bare shoulder and whispering in her ear. "Liss, sugar, breakfast." He said quietly into her ear with a hand on her shoulder where his lips had just been.

Alyssa breathed in sharply and groaned not wanting to wake up. She turned and moved to sit up gathering the sheets under her arms. Nick grinned at her modesty and poured her a cup of coffee giving it to her. She breathed in the steam grinning before taking a generous swig. Feeling more awake she set down the mug on the night table and stood walking over to Nick who was busily dishing out breakfast for the two of them. She kissed him on the cheek holding the sheet around her body like a dress. "I'm going to take a shower I'll be back in a minute for breakfast." She said simply before heading to the bathroom dropping the sheet just as she reached the door.

About ten minutes later Alyssa came out of the bathroom wearing a fluffy white hotel robe and her hair down and still soaking wet from her shower. She sat on the bed letting the robe part over her leg exposing her upper thigh. She took her plate and ate as he did as well just enjoying the comfortable silence between the two of them.

Nick finished his plate first and set it down leaning over to kiss Alyssa's cheek making her giggle and shove him back so she could finish her breakfast. Once she set her plate down he kissed her before getting up and ushering her off to get dressed. She laughed and shook her head at him.

"So what are you doing today aside from shopping?" He asked as he watched her disrobe and pick out clothes for the day from her luggage. He stared unabashedly at her body as she slipped on a bra and underwear and looked over at him grinning devilishly.

She turned and grinned as she slipped on her jeans and tee shirt and a pair of converse. "Pretty much just that. We wanna hang out and just be girls which I never thought I'd be happy to admit that I like being girly."

Nick snickered and pulled her to sit across his lap. "I like you being girly, it's fucking sexy." He said nuzzling her neck nipping at her collarbone.

Alyssa closed her eyes and just reveled in the feeling for a few moments. "We should probably...go... down to... the lobby." Alyssa managed to get out her voice having dropped to a breathy whisper.

"Uh huh..." Nick replied against her neck tangling his fingers in her wet hair.

Finally with great reluctance Alyssa pulled away from him going over and pulling her hair up into a messy bun. Nick stood and laced his fingers with hers as they walked out of the hotel room and to the elevators. Once they reached the lobby they saw Kellie and AJ already there, dressed and ready to go. AJ was nervously checking his watch and Kellie was digging through her monstrous purse for her cell phone.

"Looking for us?" Alyssa asked as they made their final approach. Both of them looked up and grinned.

"Finally! We've been down here for 30 minutes waiting on you two." Kellie spat with a knowing grin.

"We were having breakfast not having sex Keller." Alyssa replied with a snarky grin.

"Dude we better not be late for our tee-time." AJ admonished giving Nick a look.

Nick sighed, "Do we have to go golfing? I'd much rather do something else." He replied glancing at Alyssa.

Alyssa grinned at Kellie as they listened to their men bicker at each other like two year olds after the same toy. "Dude shut the fuck up we're going golfing!" AJ spat.

Nick rolled his eyes, it wasn't that he didn't have anything against the sport itself; in fact he loved to go golfing. But in reality he just wanted to knock back some beers and then go hang out with his woman watching her try on various skimpy little outfits was exactly how he wanted to spend his day. But he knew that wasn't an option.

Alyssa shrugged and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Babe seriously, go have fun playing golf then you and I will go out tonight, while my Prego of a best friend gets it on with her boyfriend."

Nick looked down at her face and grinned wrapping an arm around her shoulders as she then distracted herself with a text message. "So Kel, you know your mission right?" Nick asked with a serious grin.

Kellie giggled, "Find the most naughty yet desirably classy piece of lingerie in Vegas right?" She replied jokingly.

Nick nodded, "You bet your ass." He joked back making the four of them crack up.

Alyssa grinned at her cell phone making Kellie eye her suspiciously. "Who are you texting?" Kellie asked trying to snatch her phone away from her. Alyssa dodged her expecting the inevitable snatch attempt from Kellie.

"No one." Alyssa replied with a sly grin. Kellie shot her a wayward glance then watched as Alyssa looked over to the revolving doors at the entrance to the hotel seeing an all too familiar red head. She instantly recognized her and let out a very loud shriek causing everyone in the lobby to turn and look at the two couples that were now being joined by a third.

"Jesus Kel bust my eardrum why don't you?" Alyssa chided laughing along with everyone else at Kellie's outburst.

Lori and Clark laughed as well as they approached hugging everyone and saying hello. "Geez Kel you act like you haven't seen me in years!" Lori remarked with a grin.

"Sorry for the very Charlotte type reaction but, this is awesome Triple Trouble, reunited in Vegas!" She replied as excitedly as a child on Christmas morning.

AJ smiled and wrapped his arms around his girlfriend and placed a kiss on her cheek. "The pregnancy hormones have made her very giddy lately."

"Oh I thought the giddiness was due to the hot pregnant sex you two have been having." Alyssa shot back.

"Like you have any room to talk about having sex." Kellie retorted in turn.

Clark rolled his eyes and looked over at Nick, "Are they seriously always like this?" He asked not really understanding the girl talk between the three. Even though he'd known all three girls for pretty much the whole of their lives anytime it was considered to be a "girl talk" moment he tended to busy himself with other things and let them have their female bonding time.

Nick nodded with a sympathetic grin. "Worse usually." He replied getting an elbow to his ribs from Alyssa and a narrowed glance. He grinned sheepishly and she rolled her eyes and smiled inwardly. "So Clark why don't you come golfing with us so the girls can go shopping?" He suggested hoping Clark would agree to come.

"Sure, Mary is on her way in with Jamie, she wanted to spend some quality grandma time with him today." He said happily accepting the offer readily.

Alyssa grinned, "Mom's here already?"

"Yeah she met us at the airport. She wanted to see Jamie he was all excited about the lights Lori was telling him about."

"Yeah he can't wait to see the strip all lit up. That and I promised him that I'd take him to see Cirque du Soleil tonight. Ever since we watched it on television once it's all he's wanted to see." Lori explained finding it cute that her almost two-year-old son found the bright colors and music to be so enthralling.

The girls bid farewell to the boys and walked off to the walk along the strip and do some much needed shopping and girl talk. Meanwhile the three guys stood for a moment before shrugging and chuckling at their women. "We ready to hit the links?"

"Hell yeah man." AJ replied with a wide grin as the three of them set off to the car Nick had rented.

 

 

Chapter 24: You Gotta Know When To Hold 'Em by Teri
Author's Notes:
what's this? another update in one weekend!? SHOCKER! lol Thanks to darby and mel for all their help! Enjoy everyone! And thanks for all the awesome reviews they're so appreciated!
Chapter Twenty-Four: You Gotta Know When To Hold ‘Em

"Oooh Liss, how about this one?" Kellie asked excitedly holding up a black and red shimmery bustier with matching boy short underwear. Alyssa eyed the selection and grinned.

"I like it." She said approvingly. "Is it bad that I want something really naughty looking for our little private after party?" Alyssa asked with a questioning glance at her two best friends as they perused the racks at Agent Provocateur.

Lori grinned and shook her head ‘no'. "Of course not you two have been through a hellish year, that calls for some extra naughty lingerie." She replied reassuringly.

"Good, and I'm also shopping for the tour too. Like I won't have much time to shop for Valentine's Day or anything like that." She explained. "Speaking of, what in the hell am I going to do for that? Or even his birthday? I mean I already said I would marry him so it's not like there's much more relationship gifts I can do that are gonna top that."

"I said that when I married Clark, believe me give him a really good night of sex and he'll be a happy boy."

"I guess but it's like he gets ass everyday so it's not like it's that big of a diff." She reasoned back.

"You'll think of something you always do." Kellie added as she handed Alyssa a large stack of hangers she'd collected for her. Once the girls were finished they made their purchases and Alyssa grumbled to herself about the already large amount of money she spent. "Oh quit grumbling it'll be worth every penny when you see him reduced to a pile of pure testosterone at the sight of you." Kellie retorted noting Alyssa's dismay at the prices.

The three of them walked out onto the strip and grinned a little at each other. "It's just I really love being the fantasy girl. You know what I mean...like the one who will let him try anything sort of deal." Alyssa explained chewing her lower lip.

"That and the serious power trip that comes along with having that much control over him." Lori added with a sly smile.

"Not so much the control, but the power, and seeing that happy, dazed expression afterwards. Major ego boost." Alyssa added with a now confident grin.

"I know what you mean, Alex has this little sigh when he's just completely out of breath that says ‘god that was good'." Kellie added. "Like with Aaron it was, okay let's go again! But Alex he's just satisfied being with me too."

Alyssa nodded, "I can understand that. And the way Alex looks at you? You can totally tell how much he feels for you. Is it different...like the sex I mean from Aaron to Alex?"

Kellie thought a moment, "Yeah very different. With Aaron it was let's see how often we can do it. And with Alex, don't get me wrong he's better at getting me off than Aaron ever was, but it's very different, the dynamic between us is completely different. Like I don't care if we don't have sex everyday. And Alex isn't exactly the best I've ever had, he's near the top but his skill is nothing in comparison to how he makes me feel when we do have sex. It's this whole all-consuming feeling where I feel safe and happy. I mean we can't all be as lucky as you Liss...the first guy we fuck doesn't always end up being the one we have kids with. Although Lori has disproved me on that one as well." Kellie explained making both girls laugh.

"Yeah but Clark is not the best sex I've ever had. Like he's great don't get me wrong but I've had much better sex with guys who I didn't WANT to have a relationship with. I mean Al, look at you and Nick, you're in love and have great emotional chemistry but at the same time you two lust after each other too."

"So you two don't lust after Clark or Alex?" She asked with a confused glance between them not getting why her situation was so different and specific as compared to her friends.

"Well we're attracted to them, sexually so partially yes but the lust turned into love and there's not much lust left in the relationship there's love and a desire to keep that love going." Kellie replied hoping that she made some sense.

Lori saw the confusion on Alyssa's face. "Honey, think about it, when you look at Nick do you think about sex, or how much you love him?"

Alyssa chewed her lip, "Both, I mean, yeah I see him and I think of how sexy it is or how the simple things he does gets me going. But at the same time I get butterflies like a lovesick teenager. I love watching him just do stuff. Reading, working on his computer, anything and I think of our relationship and how happy he makes me as well as the sex."

Both girls gave her an amused grin and they chuckled, "See, you've got a rare situation there that not a lot of people ever get to have in their lifetimes." Lori replied. "Not that we aren't extremely happy and know that we've found two guys we know are perfect for us and all that but maybe it's because you two had that long friendship and that build up of emotions and trust before anything really ever happened that made you two hyper aware of each other."

"With Alex it's like I know I love him because he has the qualities that fit with my personality, he's kind and loving and pretty hot in the sack too but that comes secondary to our relationship."

"Same with Clark and I. We care more about what the other has to say than what lingerie I'm buying."

"Is it bad that I can love how we fit together, how I love hearing his opinion and still want him to violate me whenever he gets the urge?"

Lori giggled and threw her arm around her best friend. "Definitely not a bad thing. You should feel very blessed that you get to experience it."

"I do feel very lucky for having him in my life."

Meanwhile...

"Go right, right!!" Nick muttered to himself pissed that the ball hooked in the opposite direction that he had wanted it too. Instead of the nicely manicured fairway it was out about 5 yards away from the fairway in the thick rough. He sighed and shook his head at himself.

"Just not your day is it?" Clark asked with a sarcastic tone that made Nick snort at him in frustration.

"It'll get better I'm just rusty. I haven't played in a long time." He said brushing off the comments from the other two. They piled into the golf cart and went off in search down the fairway.

AJ tapped his fingers on the steering wheel as they eased down the hill. "Can I ask you two a serious question?" He asked nervously.

The other two exchanged a glance as the cart came to a halt. "Of course man what's up?" Nick asked encouraging him to ask for advice.

The expectant stares and his own personal anxieties wore on him; it was times like these when he really wanted a smoke. He adjusted his hat and sat back against the seat of the cart. "Like when did you two know that you had the right women?"

Nick grinned inwardly and glanced over at Clark who had an amused smile. "With Lori...fuck I knew she and I were going to work out the last time we started dating again. We'd been off and on for so many years I just thought that it was out of comfort but I realized that she's the only one I could see having my kids or being the woman that I spend the rest of my life with. What about you?" He turned putting the heat onto Nick.

Nick shrugged and smiled, "I knew I wanted to be with her when she was still a teenager. But I knew she was the right girl after Paris. She was the only one who would just let me feel what I was going through and not expect me to open up about it, yet I opened up to her because there was no pressure. She was just willing to sit, watch sports, pig out and get drunk and rant and rave about how evil women are. Instead of pushing her own agenda like Mandy did or try to get me to go fuck random chicks like all the guys tried to get me to do she was just there. And then after we started dating it pretty much solidified that she was the right girl. I had never been that happy before and it wasn't a giddy happy, it was a comfortable happiness where life is just right where it should be."

Clark laughed a little at the conversation they were having, "It's kind of sad you know? A few years back I would have been talking about my latest hook up, or Nick you would be talking about your latest conquest and look at us...pussy whipped talking about know when you have the right woman? The younger version of me would have bitch slapped all three of us."

Nick's shoulders shook with laughter at Clark's comments but it was relatively true. Just a few years back he was so concerned with getting ass anywhere and everywhere he could and now he couldn't see himself in bed with any other woman. "Things change I guess..." Nick said shrugging. "Apart of growing up maybe?"

"Probably...sometimes being an adult really sucks ass." AJ added.

"So why did you want to ask us what we think about the ‘right' kind of woman?" Nick asked with a sideways suspicious glance. He saw AJ's face twitch in thought and grinned widely, "You son of a... You're going to ask her aren't you?"

AJ gave a quiet nod and replied, "I've been thinking about asking her since before she got pregnant. I mean you know me I've been engaged twice, and now she's having my kid I don't want it to seem like I'm only asking her because I feel responsible for getting her pregnant."

Nick laughed a little, "Dude, seriously just ask her she'll say yes. Remember she was engaged once before too. So I'm sure she's got her doubts too but just explain that you had wanted to ask her before you got pregnant and you should be fine. She's not stupid, she'll get what you mean."

Clark nodded, "Look at it this way, she's already bound to you forever because you share a child. You love the girl and want to spend the rest of your life with her I'm assuming that's why you want to marry Kellie..."

"It is...right?" Nick asked for reassurance.

"No fucking shit Nick. Come on I may have fucked up twice before but that was for a lot of different reasons...Kellie's different as much of a pussy that makes me sound..."

"Then just ask her..." Nick shot back. "Believe me you'll feel a lot better once you do."

That afternoon...

Nick came into the hotel suite and sat on the edge of the sofa resting his legs a little as he kicked off his shoes and socks. He closed his eyes thinking of the conversation he'd had with Clark and AJ just a couple of hours before. Marriage...that was such a big topic lately. With Howie married, and AJ now considering getting engaged it was so odd to think that he'd be getting married in just a few short months himself.

The idea seemed a little odd; the one who didn't believe in marriage was going to get married? But then again it was Alyssa who he was marrying so it made the idea much less odd. He looked down at his hand, seeing his left ring finger where a wedding band would go in just a few short months. He smirked getting an idea in his head. Instead of just imagining what a wedding ring would look like, why didn't they just go check out some options for what they wanted when they would get married?

Shopping for wedding rings in Vegas? That would certainly get the tabloids going, he mused to himself. But at least they could really take the time and decide on something they both wanted and get that detail done for the wedding. He knew planning a wedding while on tour was going to be a lot of stress for not only Alyssa but for himself as well and any little thing that could be decided on now would make the rest of the planning that much easier.

With his idea firmly planted in his mind he looked around the room finally noticing the various bags, Juicy Couture, Dolce and Gabana, Louis Vuitton, Manolo Blanhik and Burberry. The one that caught his eye was quite a few bags with the label Agent Provocateur on them. He smirked and went over to one peeking inside it lifting out a white sheer baby doll and thong set. He held the garment up by the shoulder straps and grinned mischievously.

Curious to what else she bought he set down the white lingerie set and looked in the bag seeing various bras and panty sets. All of them were rather racy and made him smirk at her selections; he figured that Kellie and Lori had something to do with the vast amount of lingerie. I'll have to thank them later... He thought to himself. He dug into another bag and pulled out a deep crimson strapless corset with a black rose vine detailed on it going from the bottom left up to the upper right side of the front just under the bust.

At that moment his mouth went dry as he held it up, his mind immediately imagining what Alyssa would look like wearing it, with a pair of black lacy underwear and thigh highs. He swallowed a few times and stared at it not realizing that Alyssa had walked back into the room and was now standing with her hands on her hips and an amused grin playing upon her lips.

"See something you like?" She asked making him jump and look over at her his face reddening like a child that had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

He grinned sheepishly as she walked over and placed her hand on his forearm immediately making all the hairs at the back of his neck stand on end. While still holding onto the corset in one hand he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a heated kiss. She smirked into the kiss as his hands gripped her hips then slid around the back holding her to him.

Alyssa pulled back a little breaking the kiss looking up at his face as she loosely dangled her arms over his shoulders. "You like what I bought?" She asked coyly.

He nodded emphatically, dropping the corset haphazardly to the sofa and slid a hand up her back to bring her shoulders in closer so he could claim her mouth again. Alyssa turned her face so he came in contact with her cheek instead of her mouth and he pulled back giving her an odd look. He'd rarely if ever been refused for a kiss from her. "Is everything all right?"

Alyssa nodded and gave him a short sweet kiss that ended much more quickly than he wanted. "Just I have a lot to do to get ready for tonight. You do remember that you and I are going on a date tonight right?"

Nick rolled his eyes and smiled, "Of course I do, just I was sorta hoping we could start early..." He asked suggestively arching an eye brow at her.

She chuckled at him and pushed him away from her. "Easy there lover...I have a lot of things I need to do, shower, my hair, makeup getting dressed and I just got back from lunch with all the girls, your sisters, mine and mom so I'm thinking you need to go say hi since your brother is here also and looking for Kellie." She admonished making him groan in disappointment.

"But..."

"But nothing, you'll have me tonight after we come back..." She replied standing firm as she backed up to the bathroom door.

He growled under his breath and moved to push her against the door rather roughly making her breathing grow very shallow and quicken. He leaned in and gently kissed her, which was exactly the opposite of what she had expected. He pulled back a second later and smirked, "Tonight then...you better have a lot of energy because you're mine." He said before turning slipping on his flip flops and walking out of the hotel room to greet his siblings.

Once he was gone Alyssa leaned her head on the door and sighed making her breathing go back to normal. She shook her head at herself and laughed a little before going in and taking her shower.

Just down the hall Nick walked over to Mary's hotel suite where most of everyone was gathered talking excitedly about the impending holiday. Mary grinned seeing Nick walk in and stood up giving him a hug and a hello. Over off to the side stood his brother who was talking with Kellie. He moved over hearing the conversation worried that his brother was going to start some messy drama.

"You're happy for me?" Kellie asked with a shocked tone to her voice.

Aaron nodded, "Yeah, I am. We weren't meant to last and I know that now. I'm glad you're with a good guy like Alex though."

She smiled and nodded, "He makes me very happy."

"I'm glad. Honestly and I wanted to say congratulations on the baby. I hadn't really gotten a chance to talk to you or anything. Alyssa told me about it she's excited to be an aunt again."

Kellie rubbed her hands over her baby bump and chuckled. "Yeah he's going to be one spoiled little kid."

Aaron's eye brows raised and a surprised smile came across his face as Kellie realized what she'd let slip. "A boy?"

Kellie shook her head at herself at letting hers and Alex's secret out. They had wanted to keep the sex of the baby on the down low before he would be born so that the tabloids wouldn't get wind of it. Nick smiled to himself and backed away liking that his brother was being very mature about the situation. It made him feel good that he and Alyssa had begun to be a more positive influence in his life.

That Night...

Alyssa giggled as Nick wolf-whistled his approval of her outfit. It was a simple silver empire waist strapless dress that flowed to just above her knee and a pair of thin heeled sandal pumps to match. She laced her arm with him and let him lead her down to the entrance of the hotel where he had a car waiting for them. "Where are we going tonight?" She asked as she brushed a stray hair out of her face from it having fallen from her twist she'd put it up in.

He gave her a glance as they went down the strip pulling in front of Caesar's Palace. "I figured sushi would be good tonight." He said with a grin.

She rolled her eyes, "Only thinking of yourself now eh?"

He chuckled and took her hand as they stepped out of the car going to the restaurant, Sushi Roku, where a few paparazzi were poised to take their picture. They both brushed past them chuckling how paparazzi were going to be at every hot spot in town to get a glimpse of a celebrity. They were seated and Alyssa looked around the room seeing the ornate Japanese designs everywhere while Nick ordered a round of saki and a platter of different types of sushi for them to try. "Sound good?" He asked bringing her attention back to him.

She nodded and sighed a little she loved that on certain special occasions when they'd go out that he'd always ask her if he ordered properly. She had no problem letting him order for her, even though he only did it on rare occasions. "So are you excited about the tour?" She asked trying to make conversation.

Nick's brow furrowed for a moment and then he chuckled, "Yeah it'll be great but it's going to be difficult to find time for us."

Alyssa grinned at him and shrugged, "We've never had a problem before." She reasoned back. "And still it doesn't matter I'm coming with you and we'll find some time together, even if it's on your day's off and we go sight seeing with everyone."

"True, that will be a lot of fun. And planning the wedding will be interesting with all the traveling." He replied with a grin. They continued to make conversation until their food was delivered and a slight silence fell over them for the first few minutes. He watched her as she popped a piece of tuna in her mouth and he smiled at her. "Remember when I first tried to get you to try sushi?" He asked making as she took a drink of her saki.

Alyssa nodded and smiled at the memory. "Yes I was adamant not to try it. But you talked me into it."

"It was a test you know..." He said chewing his lip wondering what her reaction would be.

Alyssa gave him a suspicious glance and scooted more next to him wanting to know what this great test was. She took another drink of her saki and smirked, "What kind of test?" She asked keeping her voice low and flirty.

"To see if you'd be willing to try new things going on nothing but that you trusted me." He explained reading her face for any reaction.

Her eye brows moved up in surprise then her face changed into a sly smile and leaned in pressing her lips to his. He breathed in as he deepened the kiss tasting the saki on her. He didn't care that he felt eyes on them or even saw a few flashes go off from under his closed eyes. In that moment all he really cared about was the feeling of her lips on his, her hand moving from his cheekbone to the back of his neck gently scraping her nails along his skin.

They maintained their flirtatious banter throughout the rest of dinner and as they left Nick laced their fingers and led her out to the massive forum shops. Alyssa gave him an odd glance as they walked around just strolling holding hands and talking about their day. "So how was golfing? You get a hole in one?" She asked curiously, even though she knew that he'd never hit a hole in one in his entire life she'd figured she'd ask.

"Psh, yeah right. I'm not the best at golf remember. But at least I didn't bogey at all though."

Alyssa's face lit up and she leaned her head onto his shoulder, "See you're getting better!"

Nick snickered and shook his head, "Alex was asking Clark and I all these questions too about women and relationships. I'm pretty sure he's going to pop the question soon." He explained elaborating more on his day with the guys.

"That's awesome, I promise I won't tell Kel, she'd be pissed if I ruined that surprise."

"Considering she kept my proposal plan under wraps for quite a long time, yeah she would be." Nick replied as he looked over to his left and stopped walking. "So that's where you went today?" He asked with a grin.

Alyssa looked over seeing the small Agent Provocateur boutique, if the mannequins and the lingerie he'd already seen in just one or two of the bags she'd gotten were any indication he knew he definitely wanted to see the place for himself. "Yeah, really classy stuff, but damn it's expensive."

Nick swallowed hard and looked down at her for a moment, "You didn't happen to buy what you're going to wear on our wedding night did you?" He said eyeing a white bridal lingerie set that included a bustier, garters and white calf length sheer robe to go around it.

Alyssa followed his gaze and giggled a little, feeling very tipsy from the saki. "No, I was going to wait until just before the wedding for that." She replied leading him away from the store. He groaned disappointedly.

"I should, you know go with you to pick it out though..." He added making her snicker.

"Not on your life. Besides whose to say I'll be wearing anything that night?" She shot back making him growl at her under his breath.

"Woman, you're gonna be the death of me." He said gruffly making her giggle once more. Once they reached where he wanted them to go Alyssa looked at the gold, H and W door handles and the large Harry Winston sign above the doors.

"What have you been plotting?" She asked suspiciously.

Nick took them into the store and smiled, "Well I've been thinking that, if we get some of the details taken care of before the tour then it'll make it easier to plan the wedding. So what's easier than picking out wedding rings?"

Alyssa's smile widened as they were greeted by one of the salespeople. "Welcome to Harry Winston. How may I help you this evening?"

"We're here to shop for wedding rings. We're getting married in May." Nick said taking Alyssa's left hand and bringing it up on the counter. "What do you have that will go with this?" He asked. The saleswoman smiled and brought out a few trays then disappeared into the back room for a moment and brought out a tray full of various wedding band sets. Nick turned to Alyssa, "Pick out your favorite." He suggested making her look at him with a surprised expression. "What I trust your judgment which ever one you like it's yours."

Alyssa grinned widely and kissed him on the cheek before turning her gaze to the massive amount of sparkling wedding bands in front of her. She knew he was always generous when it came to spoiling her but this was a bit of a heady experience. She felt giddy, almost like when he'd proposed to year nearly one year beforehand.

She perused the differing styles and the her eyes fell on two rings, one for a female that looked like a string of infinity symbols that had been tied into a circle with inlayed diamonds lining the symbols going all the way around. The second ring, decidedly much more masculine looked, to the casual observer like a simple classy platinum band, but upon closer inspection in the thickness of the band on it's side was the same infinity symbols lining it. "These. I like the infinity symbols, completely fits don't you think?" She asked turning to Nick.

Nick nodded and smiled in response then gave the woman their ring sizes. She informed them that the female ring was already the specified size and that it would only take about 30 minutes or so to size his. Nick grinned and went to pick up Alyssa's ring brushing her fingers as she had gone to reach for it too. "Sorry, I kinda wanted to put it on your finger..." He said stupidly chuckling at himself for the cheesy gesture.

"As much as I would love that I think I'll wait until our wedding for that." She said as she slipped off her engagement ring and slipped on the wedding band and then put her engagement ring on as well. She looked down at her hand and stared for a long moment finding it almost hypnotic to look at the two rings together.

Suddenly in her head May felt like an eternity from this moment. She looked over at him as he looked around seeing all the differing types of jewelry. She loved how he had this quiet way about him when he was in public that he just liked to sit back and observe the world around him. She hoped that one day when they would have a family that their potential children would have that same behavior quirk.

Once Nick received his ring, Alyssa reluctantly took off the ring for it to be placed in the double hinged ring box along with Nick's nestled between two cushions of black velvet. Nick handed over his credit card despite Alyssa's protests to pay for at least half. "No...this is my gift to you for New Years." He said stopping her in her tracks. He gave her a sweet kiss before turning back to the rather amused sales woman and signed the receipt and took their small bag as they headed out of the forum and back to the car that was waiting for them curbside to take them on their next destination. They went back to the Hard Rock Hotel where they were staying and placed their purchase up in their room before heading out to the tables to gamble a little.

Some how over the course of an hour they seemed to have lost track of each other in the large crowded casino. Nick was over at the Texas Hold ‘Em poker table patting the table signifying that he was checking to the next player. Meanwhile on the opposite end of the casino Alyssa played a little roulette and won a couple of throws of the die. Feeling confident with her winnings she took them over and cashed them out at the cashier before setting off to find her fiancée. She knew gambling wasn't normally his thing and that if he was going to play in Vegas that he was either going to be at a Black Jack table. She grinned spotting his familiar blonde head over at the poker table.

She went over to the bar and grabbed herself a martini and came up behind him and kissed him on his neck. "Hello lover..." She whispered in his ear. He grinned and turned to look at her and kissed her. "Lose much money yet?" She asked playfully then looked down at his rather large stack of chips that were larger than any other stack on the table.

She looked to the cards dealt out in front of them for the table to play, an Ace of clubs, a four of spades, a 6 of spades and a Jack of hearts. Nick looked at his cards keeping a completely straight face as he raised his bet making two of the other three players fold their hands. It was now down to Nick and another player, a rather tall lanky man in a business suit, his brow furrowed in concentration.

Alyssa watched Nick very closely and how his face was stern, jaw set to show no emotion whether or as to whether or not he was happy with his hand. She knew that face meant he had a pretty damn good chance of winning but to the casual observer who had never played against him before wouldn't know that. She sighed and thought for a moment the knot in her stomach becoming more and more prevalent. Maybe it was the alcohol she'd been drinking over the course of the night. Or maybe it was the fact that she'd been feeling this way since they'd purchased their wedding rings that night.

At that moment it didn't matter what it was that provoked her, what mattered was that she leaned in to Nick's ear and whispered, "If you win this hand I'll marry you tonight..."

It seemed as if in that moment the entire world froze. Nick turned to Alyssa, his eyes full of questioning surprise meeting her mischievous grin. He grinned and kissed her for luck just as the dealer went to reach for the final card, the river, from the automated shuffler.



End Notes:
Thank you for taking the time to read! I hope you enjoyed it!
Chapter 25: The River by Teri
Author's Notes:
so yes totally short chappie cuz i split my chapter lol. It just made so much sense to split it here but yes thank you all SO VERY MUCH for the amazing response to my last chapter. Keep em coming!!

Chapter Twenty-Five: The River

The earliest signs of dawn spread a small ambient glow throughout the now quiet hotel suite. On the bed draped across each other both Nick and Alyssa began to stir despite only having about two hours of sleep. Nick opened his eyes just as she did and they both smiled sleepily, both emotionally and physically spent from the events of the previous night.

They'd heard from several of their friends and acquaintances over the years, tales of wild nights in Vegas that had unexpected endings. While Alyssa and Nick's night was rather tame in comparison to most of what others had experienced nonetheless the ending was far from what either expected when they stepped off the plane.

There was a comfortable silence between them as they both slowly awoke despite their own exhaustion anything that needed to be said wasn't said with words but through loving looks and soft smiles. With a content sigh Nick scooted Alyssa's body closer to his to lean in and press his lips to hers. Just as their lips met a loud shrill ring came from Nick's blackberry on the night table.

He groaned and rolled over cursing himself for not having turned it off in his haste to get into bed the night before. He answered it seeing that it was Juliette his publicist. "'Lo?" He asked his raspy sleepy voice filling the room replacing the near deafening silence from just moments before.

"Good morning Mr. Carter..." She said her voice sounding razor sharp and almost furious in it's tone. "Care to tell me what the hell happened last night?" She asked making Nick roll his eyes.

"I have no idea what you're talking about Jules." He said trying to brush off her questioning. He knew he didn't really want to get into the details of the previous night with her.

"Cut the shit Nick. For the past two hours I've been fielding phone calls from all the tabloids about you. Apparently the paparazzi saw you and Alyssa..."

"So what if they did?" He asked cutting in not letting her finish her statement.

Juliette took a breath and tried to reign in her anger. "Just tell me one thing..."

"And that would be?" Nick asked wryly looking over at Alyssa who sat up and moved to hug his shoulders pressing her naked body against his back. He closed his eyes and sighed at the mere feeling of her warm skin against his.

"Did you or did you not get married last night?" She asked in turn making Nick chuckle a little.

Did they or didn't they?


That was question du jour after all wasn't it? It's what all the tabloids were clamoring about, calling his publicist in the wee hours of the morning to confirm or deny the alleged union of Nick and Alyssa.

Nick took a breath gathering his thoughts. Starting from the beginning was going to be the only logical place to start and from Juliette's impatient and disapproving tone he better start that all too important explanation now.

The previous night...

"If you win this hand I'll marry you tonight..."

It seemed as if in that moment the entire world froze. Nick turned to Alyssa, his eyes full of questioning surprise meeting her mischievous grin. He grinned and kissed her for luck just as the dealer went to reach for the final card, the river, from the automated shuffler. Nick turned just as the dealer went to place the card down.

An eight of spades. Nick's breath quickened but he tried not to show it trying to play it off as dismay rather than the invigorating thrill that rang through his chest. The other player went all in and Nick called. The dealer signified to show their hands and the business suit wearing man went first.

"A Jack of Diamonds, and Ten of Clubs. Two pair with an Ace high kicker." The dealer announced. Nick smirked at him knowing that this hand was indeed over as he flipped over his cards to reveal a five and seven of spades. Alyssa grinned widely knowing what he'd just pulled off. At the beginning of the hand Nick would have had nothing but the subsequent cards had turned out to show greatly in his favor. "Four, Five, Six, Seven and Eight of Spades, a straight flush. Mr. Carter you win the pot." The dealer remarked as Nick pulled all the chips to himself knocking out the other man.

He'd won...his heart beat rapidly in his chest as he and Alyssa decided to cash out his winnings for the night. She clasped his hand as he took the large rack of chips over to the cashier. Once they were done he led them over to the elevator and kissed her sweetly as they waited for the doors to ding in front of them. "Are you sure?" He asked searching her face for any sign of backing out.

She beamed up at him. "I can't wait any longer, yes I still want to have our wedding in May but it's too long to wait to call you my husband." She said simply in response. Nick's face glowed with happiness as he clutched her hand and entered the elevator. He held her body to him as he leaned against the railing. He didn't think that any moment could be more perfect than this. He wrapped his arms around her and nibbled on her neck making her grin and bat his mouth away from her skin. "I don't want hickeys before the wedding thank you." She said jokingly.

He chuckled and squeezed his arms around her gently. "So you're really sure?"

Alyssa looked over her shoulder at him and rolled her eyes. "My family's here, so is yours, what's there to think about?" She reasoned back.

When they got back to the hotel suite Alyssa tossed a tight fitting white button down shirt and pale pink tie at Nick as she unzipped and slipped off her dress going to her bag finding a pale pink ankle length spaghetti strap dress. It had an empire waist with black squiggles going up to her thigh. Nick changed and smirked watching her as she did as well. He grabbed the box that held the wedding rings and took the two rings out putting them on his long silver chain necklace underneath his shirt. Alyssa grinned at his effort to keep their intentions on the down low.

Alyssa checked her phone, seeing a text message from Kellie, inviting her to a movie night that everyone else was going to in hers and AJ's room. Alyssa grinned to herself knowing that it was now or never to spring her idea upon all their loved ones. Nick and Alyssa slipped their hands together and walked down to Kellie and AJ's room walking in to hear a rather loud clamor of voices.

Kellie looked over and saw Alyssa standing there and she ran over hugging her best friend, "I'm engaged!" She shrieked excitedly. The expressions on Nick and Alyssa's faces were absolutely priceless. Alyssa smiled and shook her head then hugged her again. "And here's the best part..." She stated making the knot in Alyssa's stomach burst knowing what statement was going to follow. "We're getting married tonight!"

Nick and Alyssa exchanged a glance and hugged Kellie and AJ giving them their sincere congratulations before politely excusing themselves from the crowd to talk in the bathroom.

Nick paced the bathroom while Alyssa leaned on the counter. "What are we going to do?" Alyssa asked.

Nick shrugged and sighed, "Fuck...it's not like we can say, no you can't we had the idea first you know? I even encouraged him to propose as soon as possible." He said rambling. He looked over at Alyssa and came over placing his hands on her hips. "I want to marry you...but...maybe this is a sign we should wait until May."

Alyssa sighed and shook her head agreeing with him. "I don't want to wait that long but I guess Kellie kind of stole our thunder."

Nick chuckled and kissed her forehead, "Well it was a great idea for a minute there. I mean, us eloping in Vegas? Not exactly our style is it?" He asked tipping her head up to kiss her.

Just before their lips met, "Not in the least." She replied and kissed him sweetly. She broke the kiss and looked up studying his disappointed expression. "Are you really okay with us not getting married tonight?"

"Honestly I'm a little pissed. I don't want to wait until May either."

"Yeah I get what you mean but..." She sighed again and hugged him. "It's better this way. It won't be hurried, rushed or something we're doing in the heat of the moment. It'll be something we planned together. Not some little quickie wedding. Not to say it wasn't a great idea...but like you said it's just not us." She explained giving him another kiss before they walked out to be with their friends and family. After all they did have a wedding to attend that night...just not their own.

The next couple of hours were a blur between Kellie, Alyssa and Lori getting ready to Mary getting a little weepy that a girl she'd practically raised as another daughter was getting hitched. Olivia and Angela were there, fortunately to hug her and hand her a tissue and to quip that it'd only be a few months before her youngest daughter would be taking the same step in her life.

Just after they arrived at the chapel Nick and Alyssa stepped out of the limousine that AJ had gotten to take them. Kellie and AJ had already gone inside with much of the rest of the group. Just out of the corner of Alyssa's eye as they walked hand in hand to the door of the chapel she saw a few distinct flashes that made her inwardly groan. That was going to definitely cause a scandal and a half she mused to herself.

Disregarding her thoughts she smiled brightly as she walked into the chapel. It was completely what she expected, white lattice work with fake vines of roses intertwined with the wood, a few rows of pews, and rose colored carpeting that led to the small archway at the end of the aisle where the ceremony was to take place. Suddenly she felt rather happy that Kellie decided to surprise them with her own nuptials than for Nick and her to elope. The small chapel wasn't exactly the atmosphere she'd envisioned for her own wedding.

She squeezed Nick's hand and grinned at him when he shot her a questioning glance. He brought her over seeing that AJ's mother had arrived directly from the airport. "Denise!" Nick exclaimed breaking away from Alyssa to give her a hug.

"Nick! My you've changed, you look wonderful." She replied giving him a sincere grin to add to her compliment.

Nick grinned and moved back to Alyssa wrapping his arm around her shoulders. "Denise, this is my fiancée Alyssa. She's Kellie's best friend."

Denise's eyes light up at the mention of her now soon-to-be daughter-in-law. "You're Ali? Kellie talks about you all the time. It's really such a pleasure to meet you!"

Alyssa grinned brightly and shook her hand. "Thank you! It's great to meet you too! You've raised a great guy. He treats Kellie like a princess."

Denise beamed and sighed, "She makes him very happy. I am so excited to have her in our family. Honestly she's the first girlfriend of his that I've really been able to bond with and she's just such a great person. Where do you know her from?"

Alyssa grinned happily, "We grew up together, in Arizona. Her grandmother raised her, just down the street from where I grew up. Seems like it's been forever, and now here she is getting married and pregnant."

"Oh yes, it's wonderful that I'm going to be a grandmother." She said excitedly then her face fell for a moment. "Kellie told me, about your loss some months ago. I'm so sorry. But I'm so glad you two seem to be doing better. They were so worried about you."

Alyssa gave a weak sympathetic look. "It's still difficult but we're strong because of it." She said with a growing confidence.

Just then Mary came up interrupting their conversation. "Sorry, but Nick, Alex requests a word with you. And Kellie requests a word with you Ali." Mary announced smiling at them both. Both Alyssa and Nick excused themselves leaving the two women to talk about their children finding some common ground.

Nick walked Alyssa over to Kellie who was standing with Lori, Olivia, Angela and Nick's sisters. Nick kissed her cheek making her grin at him and Kellie snickered in response. "He's out back with the guys." She said smiling at the two of them. Nick left them making Alyssa's attention turn to Kellie.

"What did you want to talk about?"

Kellie took a breath, "I'm having a wiggins." She said nervously her eyes wide with anxiety.

Alyssa cocked her head to the side and hugged her. "Sweetie it's okay I'm sure that's what Alex is doing outside."

"Yeah I'm just really nervous...God this is really happening isn't it?" She said her breathing becoming more shallow. Lori placed a supportive hand on her shoulder. "Tell me I'm doing the right thing."

Alyssa broke the hug and looked at her best friend. She knew deep down that Kellie was doing the exact right thing for herself and AJ. It was completely their style to do something wild and unexpected as this. They made the perfect match, both wickedly impatient and rather impulsive, however reckless that might seem when it came to each other they were right in their impulses drawing them even closer together.  "Keller Elizabeth you listen to me and you listen well..." Alyssa began in a stern almost mothering tone that had all the girls standing around looking to her in complete shock and an amused sense of awe. "That man out there loves you. You're carrying his child and just earlier today he was asking my fiancé for advice about proposing to you." She saw the glimmer of recognition wash over Kellie's face. "Yeah...he wouldn't have proposed if he didn't know that this is right. You've both been engaged to other people before and does it feel like any other time?" She asked.

Kellie shook her head no silently; she didn't speak that moment for fear of being hushed like a talkative child in a classroom.

"Exactly. You love him, he loves you and you both want to spend the rest of your lives together. I have never seen you this happy before Kel. Please don't let your own fear rule your life." Kellie opened her mouth almost as if she was going to dare to speak during Alyssa's speech but Alyssa held up her hand before any sound other than the draw of a breath. "I learned the hard way what letting your own fears take over can cost you. It almost cost me my life; my fiancé and it cost me my son. If you know in your heart that you love him then you're making the absolute right decision here and I stand by you as your best friend, one-hundred percent." Alyssa said finishing her rather emotionally charged speech leaving all the women surrounding them stunned into silent admiration for her brazen yet heart felt words.

Meanwhile a similar conversation was taking place just outside in the back parking lot of the chapel. AJ paced feeling his heart racing a million times a second. "I'm nuts...She's gonna get sick of me eventually and leave me I know it." He rambled as he paced, now more than ever that itch for nicotine was engulfing him, torturing him relentlessly robbing him of all rational thought making his deepest fears come flying to the surface to second guess every decision he'd ever made, the choice to marry Kellie being no different than any other.

Nick leaned against the wall and chuckled, "Dude calm the fuck down!" He said rather loudly making AJ stop in his tracks looking over to him with a shocked expression as Brian, Howie and Clark looked over as well. Sensing that they were all expecting him to say something more than just his rather loud scolding remark he sighed, "Stop thinking...stop doing everything than just breathing right now and listen to me." He said his words coming to his mind all at once. He looked his friend right in his face and grinned. "It's just Kellie...it's not a death sentence, or an impossible commitment. It's just her...for the rest of your life, after having a family, career, everything. At the end of the day it'll just be the two of you...can you handle that?"

AJ looked around to the pavement at his feet, to the matching black sky above his head then around to each of his band mates, and Alyssa's brother. Each and every one of them had found the loves of their lives by pure chance and now there they all were standing there, supporting him, as he was about to make the commitment to one woman, to have a family with and share their lives together. Feeling a surge of confidence he grinned at Nick and nodded his head. "Yes...fuck yes I can handle that." He said as if the minor speech had revved him up like a pep talk from a coach to his downtrodden team at half time would.

Nick smiled and patted his friend on his shoulder, "The just fucking marry the girl already." He stated rather bluntly making AJ laugh a little at the levity between them. AJ led them all back inside where everyone had gathered.

"I want you and Howie up there with me..." AJ said in a small voice as they reached the main hall of the chapel. Nick nodded agreeing to his request. The three men walked up to the front and looked around seeing Lori and Alyssa standing opposite them. AJ smiled at them and both women grinned excitedly back at him then motioned for him to look over at the end of the aisle where Kellie stood with Clark holding onto her arm.

Clark had always been the closest thing that Kellie had ever had to having a real brother, so it was fitting that she'd asked him to walk her down the aisle. His breath caught in his throat as Nick and Alyssa smiled at each other from across the aisle while Kellie and AJ began the ceremony. Alyssa watched as Kellie nervously took a breath and took the ring from Lori slipping it on AJ's finger during their vows as he did the same just a moment later. What only took about 15 minutes felt like it took hours as Nick and Alyssa kept stealing glances at each other trying to stay as poised as possible for their friends but still every time their eyes met, there was no use in trying to hide their smiles from each other or the others in the room who paid attention to not only the ceremony at hand but the exchange between them as well.

Kellie giggled brightly after AJ kissed her signifying that they had indeed become husband and wife. Alyssa chuckled as well while everyone filed out of the chapel. Getting an idea from the nosy photographers who waited outside for the impending departure from the chapel, Nick and Alyssa decided to use them to keep Kellie and AJ's nuptials off the tabloid radar until they were ready to come clean about it. Thus, Nick directed for Kellie and AJ to meet them around back because he knew that it would keep the paparazzi from finding out exactly who got married that night.

Amidst the flashbulbs going off as much of the wedding guests and part climbed into the limousine Nick and Alyssa laughed to themselves thinking that if they just dug a little deeper, they'd figure out their rouse and run around back to find the bride and groom.

The following morning...


"So you're not married then?" Juliette asked reaffirming the story she'd just heard. It wasn't that she didn't doubt his honesty, but she did need to know the minor details of the night just to make sure when she did make an official statement to the tabloids that it would encompass the true events and not some watered down PR version that she loathed having to write.

Nick sighed and replied curtly, "Yes that's what happened at least the main gist of it."

"Is there anything else you want me to know?" Juliette interjected hoping there wasn't much more to the story.

Nick laughed a little and grinned, "Unless my sex life is an open topic again in the media then no." He said hearing Juliette muffle a groan of slight disgust. She'd been pretty ticked at him when he'd aired all of his dirty laundry in the media almost a year and a half ago and had since convinced him that his candor in that specific category of his life wasn't always welcome despite how much the media and his fans ate up his every word. Alyssa stifled a giggle from behind him and Juliette grinned a little knowing that it was Alyssa's distinct voice. "Warn her the paparazzi are out for everything they can get. She should lay low until this all blows over."

"I'll tell her, but don't think it's going to make her hide in our hotel suite forever now." He reasoned back making Juliette laugh at him.

"I hardly expect her to run and hide from any paparazzi but just make sure she's on her guard, they're out for blood and they're not going to stop until they get what they want, which is proof of who got married that night."

Nick finished up his conversation with Juliette then laid back on the bed and sighed as Alyssa draped herself across his chest. "Sometimes being famous royally sucks." He said with an exasperated sigh for emphasis of his point.  Alyssa grinned and pushed herself up on her elbow tracing lazy circles on his abdomen. She watched him intently and made him give her an odd look. "What?"

"Nothing, just trying to distract you from thinking about being a celebrity in the tabloids and just a normal guy, whose engaged and on vacation." She replied making him smile at her and roll her over.

"You know I think I really like that thought." He said leaning down and claiming her mouth against his, willing all of his thoughts of the impending media drama to be blocked from his mind letting his only awareness become the feel of her lips on his, the feel of her fingers in his hair. He was lost in his own little world, where he wasn't a musician, a celebrity or anything of the sort; he was just a normal guy with a somewhat normal life. Unfortunately, the many paparazzi standing outside the hotel were hell bent that their little escape from reality would be very short-lived.

 

 

Chapter 26: What Happens In Vegas Doesn't Always Stay In Vegas by Teri
Author's Notes:
I know, I know sorry for the delay everyone. Had a final to do which i aced, and the last scene took me effing forever! Anyways hope you all like! Let me know!
Chapter Twenty-Six: What Happens In Vegas Doesn't Always Stay In Vegas

Alyssa walked back into the hotel bedroom from the bathroom towel drying her hair seeing Nick no where to be found. She walked over to the open living area. "Un-fucking-believable." Nick muttered as he watched the entertainment news shows.

Alyssa wrapped her arms around his waist and sighed, "What's wrong lover?" She asked. Since his conversation with Juliette that morning the entire scandal was plaguing his mind. Alyssa of course did her best to distract him...in bed...in the shower, however he still was occupied with the thoughts of how the media was already in a frenzy.

Nick sighed as he watched the screen seeing the pictures from the night before, their arrival at the restaurant, the kissing (that one he was particularly amused by), their shopping excursion and then the chapel pictures. The anchors and correspondents ran wild with their speculation and the rumors about what exactly happened acting as if the pictures were cold hard evidence of a secret Vegas wedding. About a minute later the conversation switched to what they wore, what their friends wore and then finally Nick's family history with marriage came up and then the inevitable questions came rolling in. Will it last? Is this another Britney-esque elopement? "This is so fucked up." Nick said shaking his head at the entire lunacy of the segment.

Alyssa took the remote from him and turned off the television. "Baby come on it's just the tabloids remember? We mock their ignorance!" She remarked giggling slightly at her joke.

Nick gave her a look and sighed, "If I ever want to be taken seriously I really need to stop the tabloid scandals."

Alyssa hugged him and placed a kiss to his bare shoulder. "Baby it's all right, AJ and Kellie will announce what happened and the heat will be taken off of us."

Nick gave her a look and wrapped his arms around her letting her rest her head against his bare chest and just under his chin. "I know but is this what it's going to be like when we do get married? Fuck my mom's been married 3 fucking times. Dad's been married the same and at least he's got it right now with Ginger but still...I don't want to be compared to them...or have us compared to them." He admitted his voice growing lower and more weak by the sentence.

Alyssa looked up at him and kissed along his neck gently. "You're not your parents lover..." She said in between placing her lips to his skin. "You've learned from their mistakes..."

"Have I?" He asked solemnly.

A little put off by his question she pushed away from him and gave him a stern look. "What's that supposed to mean?" She asked softly keeping the edge to her voice at a minimum

He shook his head and shrugged, "What if...?"

Alyssa placed her fingertips to his mouth silencing him, "No, this is not a mistake, falling in love is never a mistake ok?" She said reassuringly.

"You love me right?" He asked the sincerity and concern were evident in both his voice and the almost child-like expression on his face, as if he were seeking her approval.

Her face softened and she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, "I'm in love with you. You should know that by now. I mean look at our friendship, who was there whenever you got your heart broken?"

"You..."

"Because I care about you. I've always cared, just it's grown from friendship over the years. Believe me I did not want to fall in love with you. It made my life hell for a long time not being able to just say it and have to be just this sexless friend."

"You were never a sexless friend." Nick reminded. "Remember I did fantasize about you...cursed myself for it since you know you weren't exactly the right age yet."

Alyssa giggled a little and hugged him to her. "And do you regret telling me you love me on my birthday?"

Nick shook his head ‘no'. "I'll never regret it. I had to tell you especially after...well you know..."

"Yeah I do know." She said smiling. "Then why the cold feet? Is it just that you're scared that it'll ruin us?"

"I guess I mean it's just last night I really wanted to marry you and I would have in a heartbeat if AJ and Kellie hadn't come up with it too. But I'm just scared because I was so happy at the prospect of us getting married last night. Like wow, it's finally here type of thing."

Alyssa grinned more widely than before and kissed the hinge of his jaw then moved her mouth to his ear. "I want to marry you too, it just means that we have to wait just a few more months, and you can call me your wife even though in your head you already do. I was talking with the girls and I realized how lucky we are. They're married and married for love yes, but ours is different from theirs."

"How so?"

"Okay let me ask you this, when you look at me, are you picturing what you want to do to me or just how I make you feel emotionally?" She asked earnestly. She knew it was the same question the girls had posed to her the day before and really it made her realize so many things about their relationship than ever before. Most importantly she realized how unique their situation was, to have been friends first, and slowly without pressure or romantic expectation they had fallen for one another, in their own time and way that let them really appreciate their bond as friends and now as lovers.

Nick's lower lip curled between his teeth for a moment as his brow furrowed in thought as well. "Both, I mean yeah I think of how I'm lucky to feel the way I do about you but at the same time I want you too." He admitted blushing slightly feeling like a major cornball for expressing himself so openly. He knew that it was amazing that they had gotten to this point in their relationship where nothing was really taboo anymore and she wouldn't view him as less of a man for having emotions and a heart. It was mostly due to the fact that therapy had forced them in so many ways to open up about the negativity they'd experienced in their relationship but at the same time, it opened the floodgates to all the positivity in their lives as well.

"See I gave them that same answer and don't you realize that it means that we're different than normal couples? I mean I even talked to Mom about this and her and Dad had this same connection. Not a lot of couples ever get that. Lust usually fades after awhile and is replaced hopefully by love. But we loved each other before we really let ourselves enjoy lust. Yeah we both felt the attraction to each other but we never acted on it." She explained trying to get her thoughts that were a mess in her head to come out cohesively.

Nick studied her and nodded in agreement, "It scares me sometimes how I feel about you. This past year has been the hardest we've ever seen and we survived...relationship intact. For fucks sake we're about to get rid of 2007 all together today and I keep wondering how we did it."

Alyssa pulled him into a hug and held him pressing her lips to his collar bone as she closed her eyes and just breathed him in for a few moments. She backed away after a few moments and kissed him sweetly. "So aside from wiggin' out on me about the tabloids what are you doing today?"

Nick laughed a little and smiled. "Sound check, rehearsal then the show tonight. Are you excited it's New Years Eve?"

"Yeah, I already have my dress all picked out. Just gotta go for a spa day with the girls."

Nick sighed and rubbed his hands up and down her silk covered arms. "So I figure after the party we're hosting, that you and I could go out just the two of us and then back here to well celebrate..." He suggested with a smirk.

Alyssa giggled and pushed him simply with one hand to sit on the couch with a thud. She straddled his hips and smirked back pushing her hair behind her ears. Nick smirked up at her as his hands wrapped around her hips. She leaned down keeping their lips just a few inches apart. "Why do you think I bought so much lingerie? Not all of it is for the tour you know." She whispered suggestively wrapping her hands around the back of his neck. He moved his hands around the front of her waist and began tugging at the belt to her robe. Alyssa pushed his hands away from her and kissed him quickly before getting off of him and giggling as she went back into the bedroom.

"Woman you're a fucking cocktease!" Nick shouted making her cackle at his frustration.

She poked her head out of the archway leading into the bedroom and smirked, "Did I tease yours?" She smirked back making him snicker at her.

"Baby..." He growled and got up going after her as he walked in seeing her in her bikini tying the top ties. "Fuck...you're going out in that?" He asked getting a more than slightly protective tone to his voice.

She laughed and sighed a little, "I'm hanging out by the pool with the girls for a bit before we hit the spa. Gotta get some color before we go on tour."

"But you're going to get hit on..."

Alyssa snickered at his bluntness, "Yes, and I'm engaged to you. As much as they may try I'm still coming back here tonight with you. I mean come on do you honestly think I would go for half the guys that I've been hit on by? When I have a perfectly good fiancée who I'd much rather spend time with." She reasoned with him. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her and looked at her in the mirror.

"I just worry..."

Alyssa turned to him and smiled as she placed her hands on his chest. "I know you do, and I love you for it. But believe me, I'm yours and yours alone okay? They may see me from across a room or laying out by the pool, but you're the only one who gets to touch okay?"

He smiled and pulled her body against him lifting her up so that she was taller than he was as they kissed for a few moments just as there was a knock at the door. Nick let her down and went to the door smiling at his younger sisters who chuckled at his attire of no shirt and basketball shorts that did nothing to hide his frustration.

Alyssa walked into the room fastening her sarong around her waist and grabbed her bag. "Morning ladies." She said smiling at them.

Leslie snickered and shook her head at her brother, who in turn stuck his tongue out at her. Alyssa kissed him gently before bidding him farewell for the morning and joined the girls as they walked out to the elevator. "You two are like rabbits I swear I should start calling you Bugs and Lola." Leslie quipped making the girls chuckle at Alyssa's expense.

"Sorry Les, but I can't help it." She replied shrugging a bit. In all actuality she didn't care that the girls were laughing at hers and Nick's sexual appetite as of late.

BJ sighed, "It's so odd to think you're going to be my sister soon. I mean I've always kind of considered you to be one, just it's an odd concept...you know Nick getting married and all." She said as they walked out of the elevator once it hit the lobby. As if almost on cue a few photographers who had been waiting for either Alyssa, Nick or them both together, descended upon the women.

"Are you enjoying Vegas so far Alyssa?" One with a video camera asked.

Alyssa grinned at them from behind her thick sunglasses. "Yes very much so, I suggest the poker tables and roulette." She quipped back trying her best to be polite to them in the hopes they'd go away.

"So you did some gambling?" Another tall man asked with a grin from behind his camera.

"It's Vegas, a little gambling never hurt anyone. Just have to know when to call it quits before you lose everything you came with." She joked back while the girls made their way out to the pool.

"Alyssa, did you and Nick get married?" One asked making Alyssa laugh and roll her eyes.

"Where are you going on your honeymoon?" Yet another one in the crowd asked not even caring that she didn't have a moment to think about the questions let alone answer them.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" She joked with them teasing them with the idea that the rumor could be true. It was almost like the more she tried to shrug them off the harder they tried and the more penetrating their questions became.

"Did you have a pre-nup?" One asked.

"Are you pregnant?" Another suggested as to the reason why Nick would have married her in such a haste.

Alyssa rolled her eyes in response as Leslie lunged in for a verbal attack. "How dare you ask that? It's none of your business!" She shrieked.

Alyssa placed a hand on her shoulder calming her down a little. "No I'm not pregnant, not like it's any of your business but do I look like I'm pregnant?" She asked looking down at her athletic bikini clad body. "Yeah I didn't think so either." She added.

"Are you and Nick still going to therapy?" One in particular asked making Alyssa's back bristle slightly. She had no idea that they'd known they'd been to therapy in the first place and it irked her to no end that they'd bring up a very private thing between the two of them.

Her anger bubbled beneath her very cool, calm and collected exterior. She wanted to give them all a verbal lashing for trying to pry their way into her private intimacy between herself and her fiancé. Instead of letting her anger get the best of her, and giving them exactly what they wanted, she laughed at them mostly and replied, "Don't you have someone more important to pester? Isn't Paris Hilton showing off her labia somewhere more trendy than a hotel pool?" She quipped getting a good laugh from the photographers.

Leslie grew a little more stand-offish and rolled her eyes at them, "If you jerks don't mind we'd like to hang out by the pool without feeling like we're in a photo shoot thank you." She remarked curtly trying to keep her growing anger at bay.

Alyssa sighed and sat at a lounge chair by her own sister, her partner and her two best friends. "Okay guys, I think you have plenty of pictures, can you guys let us girls be so we can relax? I'll only ask once then I'm getting hotel security." She requested hoping they'd get the hint and just leave. Some of them grumbled and others cursed her under their breath as they left.

"The nerve I swear." Angel remarked disgustedly.

Alyssa shrugged and laughed a little, "Eh don't let em bug you. Just gotta ignore them for the most part." She reminded.

Olivia giggled a little, "Nick teach you that?"

"Yes he did, be polite answer the questions superficially and just hope they go away." She replied making all the girls laugh at her. "What?"

"Just you're so different, like being famous doesn't bug you anymore." Kellie remarked giving her a suspicious glance.

Alyssa busted out laughing at their looks towards her. "Puh-lease I am so not famous. It's freakin' ridiculous they treat me like I'm a celebrity just because I'm engaged to one. I've just grown to a point where I really don't give a shit anymore. Let them take pictures of us, I really don't care and neither should Nick. He was freaking out this morning because the media is already going nuts thinking we got married last night. And really I don't care what they think they don't matter."

"What about your career?" Lori asked arching an eyebrow over her glasses.

"If my career is going to be jeopardized by false shit written about me in the rags then I guess I didn't really deserve to be where I am in my career if they'll just take it away when my performance has never been effected by the tabloids before. I mean Kellie come on you're the one who got married, and would you think twice about it if you were hounded like this?"

"No..."

"Exactly, it's just a fact of my life now and I don't care about them let them write and say what they want I know who I am and I know he loves me so really who gives a shit?" She replied. As much as she disliked the attention that the paparazzi paid her she had learned to accept that it was going to be a fact of life being with Nick and his lifestyle. Especially with them playing decoys for Kellie and AJ it really all came with the territory and while she hated the attention she had learned over time to either ignore it or just accept the inevitability of it and move on. It didn't mean she had to buy into the idea that the paparazzi were going to follow her around or that she even felt like she somehow deserved the attention at all. It was just something that she wasn't used to nor did she ever want to be used to it but just something she knew that from time to time that she was going to have to endure and really since it didn't happen everyday she knew she could handle the small amount of attention that they did get from the media in comparison to bigger tabloid-loving stars.

Angela cackled at Alyssa's little rant, "Wow the sex must be REALLY fantastic if you don't give a shit what the media says about you."

Alyssa smiled and sighed, "It's really fucking fantastic actually thank you for asking." She retorted with a smirk.

"Ew..." Angel, Leslie and BJ all added in unison thoroughly grossed out at the thought of their brother and future sister-in-law were having sex at all let alone really good sex.

Alyssa laughed at the three of them and sighed, "Oh come on it's not gross. How do you think Nick feels when he hears the three of you discussing sex around him? He gets how Clark does, grossed out and over protective of you three."

"He does?" Leslie asked a little shocked, "I mean Mike and I are engaged, you'd think he'd accept that I have sex with him."

"Yeah just like my older brother should accept that I like to screw my fiancée right? They're brothers they're not going to get it or accept it ever. It's their role to protect the baby sisters, which you three are to him. Hell he doesn't even like thinking that Aaron has sex let alone the three of you. Especially you Angel, I think he wants to just not even think that you and Colin screw." She added making Angel blush. "It doesn't bother me because well, we're all girls here, but hearing about Kellie and Aaron was rather weird when they were together." She explained. "I think it's because I still see him as a 12 year old kid and not a 20 year old." She added making Angel laugh a little.

"Well I'm only 20 too you know." She reminded.

"Yes, but it's different because you're a girl and I see you as my sisters so it doesn't bother me like it doesn't bother me at all to hear about Ollie and Angie right girls?" She said nodding at them.

"Yeah girls talking about sex is one thing, but hearing about Clark is a little gross to me." Olivia admitted, "He's my brother so I try to imagine that he's a Ken doll and therefore Jamie was brought by stork because yeah...sex and my brother are two thoughts I'd rather not consider. Just like you three do not wish to hear about Nick and Aaron's varying sex lives." She explained making all of the girls bust out in laughter at her remarks.

Meanwhile, Nick stood on stage looking around to his band mates as they rehearsed for the night's show. Since they were not only performing but hosting the party as well meant they had to be there for most of the day practicing introductions, as well as their own sound check and rehearsal. He'd been glad for the fact that they were secluded inside the hotel's nightclub.

The paparazzi had hounded him as well as he and the others made their way into the building. He shrugged them off still playing the part of the decoy all the while he hoped that AJ and Kellie would announce the truth to the matter relatively soon to relieve themselves from dealing with the paparazzi for the rest of the trip. The questions came after him like moths to a flame asking from everything from why they eloped to if she was pregnant like they had asked her not to long before. He shrugged off those questions with ease.

It did however slightly amuse him that they'd started asking right away where his wedding band was and if it was already annulled in the hopes of creating an even larger scandal that he'd had a marriage that only lasted a few hours. The fact that they were already dooming his marriage that didn't even really exist yet, to complete failure hurt him more than he knew he should let on. Thankfully he kept his wits about him, hoping that Alyssa wasn't going through the same torment they were trying to inflict upon him.

Now more than ever he was truly glad that AJ and Kellie had sprung the idea on everyone before they'd had a chance to really go through with it. It made him realize that it would have only caused more trouble with the tabloids that he was trying so desperately to prove that scandal didn't stalk his every waking move.

AJ came up to him and patted him on his shoulder, "I'm sorry man about the tabs. If it makes you feel any better I'm announcing it soon. Just to get the pressure off of you two." He admitted trying to make him feel better.

Nick chuckled a little, "You know, she and I almost did get married last night?"

AJ's eyes grew wide with surprise. "You did?"

"Yeah, you two beat us to it, we were about to announce it ourselves when Kellie told us. So I guess I should thank you."

"Thank us? For stopping you from getting married?"

Nick chuckled and shook his head, "From rushing it. Wedding in Vegas is totally not our style. We were caught up for a minute at the possibility of finally doing it and I got carried away with it. I mean seriously I'm dying to marry her but like this? With the media chomping at the bit for every last detail? No thank you."

Just then Brian came up beside him and grinned at the conversation going on between them. "It's kind of nice you know...to see you so settled and all." He remarked making Nick snicker at him. "No I'm serious, she's changed you a lot in more ways than I think you even realize." He added.

Nick shrugged and grinned, "Is it a bad thing that she's changed me? Or is she pulling a total Yoko on us?" He joked making the others roll their eyes at him.

"No it's definitely not a bad thing. Although I could deal with a little less sarcasm." Brian quipped back.

"Tough shit there man. It's her fault she's completely sarcastic, you know how she is. I guess it's just rubbing off."

"Considering how much rubbing you two do I'm assuming so." Howie retorted making the four of them roar with laughter at the play on words.

"Guys, seriously now, we need to rehearse." Nick said hoping to take the conversation away from his relationship. It wasn't that he didn't mind talking about his own personal happiness or anything of the sort. But with the media paying increasingly close attention to it he figured the best thing for him to do at the moment was to keep talk of his love life to a minimum.

Later that evening...

Nick came into his hotel room with a rather exasperated sigh. Now more than ever he couldn't wait for 2007 to be truly over with. He walked into the bedroom seeing a pair of rather fierce looking heels next to a dress on the bed. The dress was definitely fitting for a Vegas New Years blowout, it had large blue sequins at the bust and shoulder straps that then faded and turned into gold sequins as it reached the hemline of the dress. He couldn't wait to see how the small dress would fit perfectly onto Alyssa's curves. He held up the shoes, platform peep toed with black leather straps that would wrap around Alyssa's foot and secure at her ankles with a very thin 5 inch heel to match. He grinned knowing that it would make them exactly the same height or nearly so.

Hearing a clanging in the bathroom he walked in seeing Alyssa standing in her white silk robe, her hair up in rather large rollers, cursing under her breath that she'd dropped her bottle of liquid eye liner in the sink. Thankfully she'd picked it up before it'd had a chance to spill any on the white marble. He leaned against the door and smirked as she finished lining her left lid making her look almost exotic with her classy smoldering makeup. Alyssa saw him out of the corner of her eye and smirked. "It's not polite to stare Nickolas."

He chuckled and came up behind her trying to untie her robe as he had done earlier in the day. She swatted at his hands and held her robe closed wanting what she wore underneath to truly be a surprise for later on in the evening. "Ooo now I gotta see what you're hiding under there..." He said trying again to get the robe to open. Alyssa smacked his hands away from her giving him a stern warning glance that made him back away groaning in defeat. "After the day I've had...not even a little peek?" He asked getting a puppy dog look on his face.

"I didn't have the best day either thank you. I mean I did hanging with the girls and all but to be hounded by the paps when all I wanted was to chill by the pool? Yeah not fun."

Nick's brow furrowed in slight anger. He knew that the tabloids were going to be after them but he'd hoped that she'd at least be spared from it. Unfortunately they'd had no such luck. "I got it too. I'm sure it's all over TMZ by now." He replied.

"Oh yeah, especially since they found out we've been in therapy and asked if I was pregnant and if we had a pre-nup." She remarked as she pushed him out of the bathroom and grabbed her dress and shoes closing the door behind her as she slipped off her robe and put the dress on over the lingerie she'd chosen for the evening. A few moments later she emerged from the bathroom putting on the shoes making them almost exactly the same height as he suspected they would be. With her hands going up to her hair and an exasperated sigh she began letting her hair fall in loose curls around her shoulders. "It infuriates me you know? I mean I'm not famous one little bit and just because I happen to be engaged to you it's like I'm suddenly a media whore attention seeker like Paris." She scoffed showing her true disdain for the heiress.

Nick gave her a sympathetic look. "But you know that you're not. And it's precisely why we're moving out of LA. Do we honestly want to bring up a family with those assholes around all the time? Hell no..." He reasoned making her grin at him as she placed some chunky bangles on her wrist. He looked at her outfit and smiled, "You look hot by the way."

She giggled a little and did a little twirl for him. "You like? Kel picked it out for me. I figured something fun and a little more flashy was in order for tonight."  

"Uh huh..." He nodded and pulled her to him as she dropped the last curler on the vanity. "Suddenly a party doesn't seem all that interesting..." He whispered as he moved to kiss her only to meet nothing but air as she ducked out of his arms frustrating him to no end. "Lissa..." He hissed at her making her giggle from across the room.

"Get dressed you have a show to do mister." She admonished making him growl at her. "Hey if you're lucky I'll make it worth your while later..." She teased as she flopped herself down on the bed crossing her legs in front of her and leaned back onto her elbows watching him walk around the room and begin to disrobe.

"If I'm lucky?" He asked with slightly more of an edge to his voice as he tossed his shirt to the side. She smirked and watched him kick off his shoes and pants finding the black jeans he'd been looking for slipping them on with a white belt, shirt, shoes and a jacket to match.

Alyssa got up from her current position and walked over to him grabbing a small tub of pomade in her hand smearing some on her fingers then ruffling them through his hair making it stand on end to her liking. He smirked and chuckled a little at how she'd take the initiative, especially recently to adjust certain things about his look, mainly just involving how he wore his hair or to change from a hideous, Nick inspired outfit to one that would fit his personal style much better. "You look hot yourself now." She remarked smirking at him. He checked himself in the mirror and grinned then turned to kiss her on her cheek.

"I love you." He said simply as she wrapped her arm around his grabbing her small clutch purse before they headed out to the nightclub where the show would begin in less than an hour. Nick smiled at her as they walked through the lobby of the hotel and went to the nightclub that was connected to the hotel seeing a crowd already forming outside. They met up with their friends and family talking here and there. Kellie giggled as she witnessed their interactions. Nick broke away from her reluctantly going over to warm up with the others.

"Sweetheart you look gorgeous." Mary said remarking at how her daughter looked that evening.

Alyssa beamed and hugged her mother giggling at how she had to bend to hug her more than she normally did. Alyssa busied herself with small talk with all the girls as well as her brother and Aaron every once in a while she'd sneak a glance through the window hearing the faint sounds of the guys vocally warming up in the hall. Once they were done and walked back into the room Alyssa discreetly took Nick by the hand and led him out to the hall way and ducked him into a small alcove just before the stage. He gave her and odd look but didn't question it as she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled him into a feverish kiss.

His body gave into her his hands moving around her waist to press into the small of her back. She grinned and broke the kiss looking at him. "Want a little taste of what you get tonight?" She asked with a snarky smirk playing upon her lips. Despite the darkness of the alcove she'd ushered him into he could definitely tell there was a mischievous look on her face that accompanied her tone.

His breathing quickened and he replied with a quick and very quiet ‘yes'.

She leaned in again nipping along his scruffy jaw and unhooked his belt and unfastened his jeans sliding her hand inside wrapping around him slowly. He gasped and swallowed hard as he leaned his head back against the wall behind him. His entire body tensed and froze almost afraid of what she would do next. She moved her other hand up to his lower abdomen just under his shirt and scraped her nails gently against his skin making him shudder involuntarily simultaneously as she stroked him to the point where he lost his sanity.

When she felt his body begin to shudder more and break out in a light sheen of sweat she stopped and pulled her hands away from him and zipped up his pants and refastened his belt placing a chaste kiss to his mouth before turning on her heel and walking out of the alcove and out to the VIP area where their friends and family were all seated.

He stood there in shock as he watched her walk out of the long corridor passing his band mates along the way. Each of them gave him a knowing look and chuckled under their breath before turning him towards the stage just in time for the show to begin.

Meanwhile in the VIP section Alyssa sat between Kellie and Lori giggling loudly as they watched the four of them get up on stage. Lori leaned over to Alyssa. "Nice work sweets, that's definitely going to get the message boards going." She remarked motioning to Nick's trousers.

Alyssa snickered with a rather wide triumphant grin. "What can I say? I like torturing him." She replied catching Nick's intent stare from the stage. She grinned at him widely and arched an eyebrow at him signaling that they were indeed going to play one hell of a game of cat and mouse. Throughout much of the concert Alyssa sat herself in the VIP section talking animatedly with her friends and family. When it came time for the boys' performance Alyssa and everyone quieted down watching them perform some old tracks and some from the new album. About midway through their performance the four of them got to talking about New Years resolutions.

"So Nick what's yours?"

Nick grinned and shot a look over to Alyssa, "Settle down and start a family."

Brian snickered and gave a collective ‘aww' noise along with much of the crowd. "But Nick isn't it the big rumor that you've already settled down?" He said playing devil's advocate and making the many photographers in the room turn their heads.

Nick chuckled and sighed, "Ah yes you can't always believe what you read though, right AJ?"

AJ cackled mischievously and sighed, "Well thanks to Nick and his lovely fiancée Alyssa, they played decoy for myself and Kellie. So the tabloids did get it right, a Backstreet Boy did get married last night...just they got the wrong one." He admitted making the room go silent for a few moments before it erupted in cheers for him in congratulations.

As it got closer and closer to midnight, Alyssa, Kellie, Leighanne and Leigh all made their way backstage passing the same alcove that Alyssa had pushed Nick into just about 3 hours beforehand. She smirked as she passed it and gathered with the other girls watching their men dancing and singing from a completely different vantage point than the crowd had. With just a few minutes to spare before midnight each of the girls joined them on stage, Alyssa finding Nick off to the front of the stage where he was talking animatedly with the crowd. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her when he felt her presence next to him.

Alyssa looked around seeing Leighanne and Brian exchanging a private conversation through whispers and knowing smiles. Howie and Leigh were busy eating up the attention from the crowd. On the other side of them AJ stood behind Kellie his hands caressing her well-rounded stomach and kissing her bare shoulder as she beamed at him happily. She looked back around seeing her mother, siblings, as well as Nick's siblings standing in the VIP section smiling at her.

She waved and blew kisses to them as the countdown to midnight began. Nick turned Alyssa to him smiling brightly at each other, "5...4...3...2...1...HAPPY NEW YEAR!" The crowd shouted loudly as balloons and confetti fell from the ceiling. Alyssa grinned widely as their lips met in a sweet yet passionate kiss. His hands wound around her waist, as the whole world fell away, no hot stage lights, or flashbulbs, screaming fans or any of the sort. Nothing mattered but the fact that 2007 was finally over and 2008 had already started with a bang.

Later that night...

After the hoopla of the initial celebration had gotten underway mostly everyone had retired for the night for their own private celebrations or because they were indeed exhausted from the partying thus far. Still determined to celebrate the ending of 2007 Nick and Alyssa left Body English and found themselves at Pure night club. Somehow over the course of the previous few hours Nick and Alyssa had some how gotten separated while at an after party. Alyssa had stayed relatively close to the booth they'd shared in the VIP section. She looked around the room seeing his familiar spikes of blonde hair and smiled.

Nick sighed looking around the room trying to locate his fiancée having little to no luck. Every once in a while they'd catch a glimpse of each other from across the room, he'd make his way over and by the time he'd arrive where she'd been seen just moments before was unoccupied by her presence. It drove him nuts that she was truly enjoying the intricate cat and mouse game between them dodging his advances towards her at every turn keeping a physical distance between them that only served to make him want to find her, get her alone and violate her immediately and repeatedly.

Just then he felt a pair of arms wrap around him and he turned expecting to see Alyssa standing there but instead a beautiful young woman stood there smiling up at him. "You look lost." She said slightly slurring her words, the smell of vodka and vermouth prevalent on her breath.

He chuckled and removed her hands from around his neck. "No I'm just looking for someone." He said looking around the room once more trying to spot his fiancée now more than ever.

"Well I think you've found someone. Or well someone's found you..." She replied giggling at herself. He inwardly cringed not knowing exactly how to handle this situation. In another place and a completely different time in his life he would have readily and drunkenly accepted this girl's rather brazen advances towards him.

Still standing in the same spot as before Alyssa giggled to herself as she watched Nick try to politely dismiss her advances. Getting an idea Alyssa grabbed her phone and text messaged him quickly seeing him smirk as he pulled out his blackberry that had buzzed in his pocket.

Not even 24 hours into 2008 and you're already whoring it up? LOL.


Nick laughed at her text and messaged her back.

Where are you? You can see me...save me please...

Alyssa snickered and figured she'd watch him suffer just a little bit longer.

Despite Nick's blatant refusal to accept or even acknowledge her advances towards him. When she figured he'd suffered enough of the drunken blonde's flirtatious and borderline skanky behavior Alyssa made her way over to him wrapping her arms around his shoulders and placing a kiss to the back of his neck. "Hello lover..." She whispered making him grin and turn his head to look at her. Alyssa caught the eye of the girl who was trying to press herself up on Nick and smirked. "Sorry honey, this ones already taken." She remarked taking his wrist and leading him out of the nightclub.

Once they hit the dry chilly Las Vegas night air the two of them broke out into a fit of laughter. The several camera people standing by the door caught this and started to follow them as they walked, arms around each other, back to the hotel. They ignored the pleas for them to answer questions only telling them "goodnight" when they reached their hotel's lobby.

Once inside the elevator Nick pressed Alyssa up against one of the mirrored walls and went to kiss her but was stopped by Alyssa's fingertips on his lips. She grinned and pointed to the sign that warned of surveillance cameras in the elevators. "I don't think we want the tabloids to get a load of us in an elevator..." She warned and he relaxed and pushed back away from her holding her in front of him for the time being tapping his foot impatiently as he possibly could trying to will the elevator to travel to their floor just that much faster.

As soon as the elevator doors opened Nick took Alyssa's hand and practically bolted down the hallway making her giggle rather loudly at his enthusiasm. He silenced her by pressing her up against the wall just next to the door to their suite and pinning her there with his body pressed against her. Her breathing quickened as well as her heart beat as they stood there staring at each other. She wanted him to kiss her more than anything at the present moment, but also knew that he was getting revenge for torturing him so much throughout the night.

Without breaking eye contact with her he retrieved his key from his back pocket and unlocked the door pushing her inside while she attacked his neck with her mouth. "Dress...off...now..." He said gruffly as she bit along his collarbone. Alyssa grinned and backed away from him and unzipped and slipped off the dress leaving her in the red corset he'd noticed the other day in her shopping bags along with the black lace underwear that went with it. His breathing stopped for a moment as he drank in the sight of her.

Then pure instinct took over and he tore at his jacket throwing it to the ground as he lunged for her picking her up against him as he walked her backwards past the bed and pressed her up against the window that overlooked the strip. She shivered feeling the cool glass hit her warms skin and her hands immediately began lifting his shirt off of him tossing it to some unknown place in the room. She grinned as she felt him slip her underwear down over her hips letting it fall to her ankles. She kicked it to the side and went to grab at her shoes but he moved her hands away from them. She gave him a look as he placed her hands at his belt buckle. She smirked and tugged it off of him and unfastening his pants once more like she had earlier in the evening instead this time she pushed them down his hips letting them pool at his feet.

Growing more and more impatient Nick took Alyssa's thigh and wrapped it around his hip causing the tip of his cock to graze against her just enough to make her groan and move her hips forward wanting more. He entered her slowly yet forcefully making her moan and brace herself against the black vertical framing of the window. He wanted to tease her, torment her like she'd done to him since earlier in the day. But at the present moment all he could think of was how much he needed her.

Their eyes locked keeping themselves just inches apart from each other as her hands moved between them and began unhooking the corset letting it drop to the floor silently revealing the rest of her to him. He leaned in pressing her fully against the cool window pane making goose bumps rise all over her skin at the sensation of the glass on her overly heated bare back. Only then did he lean in and kiss her. She groaned as their lips met fervently feeling her temperature rise as he began moving in and out of her. She broke the kiss feeling the intense need for air as her body began to react so quickly. She gasped for air and looked at him seeing his intensity of determination written all over his face. Grinning she moved one hand to the back of his neck making his expression soften as he leaned back in to kiss her both of them smiling just as their lips lightly grazed the others.

At the moment when their kiss broke Nick looked over her shoulder seeing the bright lights of the strip and grinned a little at the sight of the city looking so quiet from their vantage point. Alyssa noticed his gaze and looked over her shoulder for a second and snickered getting an idea. She pushed him back for a moment ripping his gaze back to her with an entirely confused look. He stepped back to her as she grinned and turned away from him so they would be both looking at the view before them.

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around her holding her wrists against the window in front of her. He dropped one hand between them guiding himself back inside her making them both suck in a breath. Nick moved her hair over her shoulder exposing her neck to him. He kissed along it making her shiver while they began moving against one another meeting each other equally in effort. Alyssa brought her arms in close to her body away from the window tightening his embrace upon her. Feeling his legs weaken as they both drew closer and closer to the edge he leaned them forward using the double paned glass for extra support.

Moaning loudly Alyssa tipped her head back onto his shoulder. She clutched his forearms as they continued their fevered pace. Her breathing grew ragged and uncontrollable as she felt that all too familiar pressure bubbling up in her stomach. She wanted to hold back just a little longer, desperately not wanting the feelings to cease. She pushed her thoughts elsewhere to the sounds he made, how they were muffled slightly because his mouth was firmly attached to her neck nipping and sucking on her sensitive skin only stopping to breath and let out a muffled growl every time he would thrust back into her.

She turned her face to him looking at him as he'd hunched his shoulders so he could reach her collarbone. He looked up seeing her eyes and smiled pressing his lips to hers while one hand took control of her arms letting the other fall down her waist and find it's way in between her legs rubbing around and on her clit roughly making her knees buckle and a strangled cry emanate from her lips, breaking their kiss as her orgasm began to flood her senses. Feeling her muscles convulse around him he followed just moments later with a satisfied groan. They both slumped against the window their legs wobbling enough so that they both slunk to the floor in a tangled sweaty heap.

They both laid there in a comfortable silence letting their breathing go back to normal before Alyssa turned looking down at him with a grin. He smiled back and pulled her down to him pushing her hair back behind her ears. "I love you..." He said quietly making her grin widen into a radiant smile as she mirrored the sentiment before claiming his mouth against hers.

Chapter 27: Gone Country by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter! Had to split the chapter lol. So more Nashville fun to come next chappie too. I need to write that one now lol.
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Gone Country

Alyssa sat in the conference room doodling on her legal pad instead of taking notes on the new curriculum. Her mind it seemed lately to be rather elsewhere whenever she should be paying attention. Maybe it was because she was distracted that she missed Nick. True he'd only been gone for a few days but still she was at home in LA while he was in Nashville. And even still she'd be seeing him the following day. She figured it wasn't just the fact that she missed his presence, but that she had so much on her mind, with the wedding, the tabloids, and the new semester beginning in just two weeks.

She'd been rather pleased that the tabloid mayhem had little to no impact on how her boss treated her. But then again having media attention thrust upon her was nothing new to Jennifer or Helen. They knew from personal experience that much of what the tabloids wrote was usually complete and utter rubbish.

Suddenly she was ripped from her thoughts by a sharp elbow to her side. She looked over at the offending elbow and the person it belonged to. Lindsay's eyes widened and she motioned to the head of the conference table seeing everyone was looking at her and her cheeks warmed in embarrassment. "What? I'm sorry I'm a little out of sorts this morning." She admitted silently cursing herself over and over in her head.

Jennifer gave a tight-lipped grin trying her best to not show her any special favor. "I was asking what you think of the new curriculum?"

Alyssa took a breath and nodded, "I think it's a rather cohesive plan, it's definitely based in more textual evidence which at the undergrad level will really benefit the students who aren't lit majors." She said confidently thanking herself for obsessively studying the new curriculum that they'd faxed over to her the day before Nick left.

It had made him more than a little upset that he had to compete for her attention with an enormous stack of papers. She'd of course ended up abandoning her paper work for a little while only to wait until he fell asleep to go back to her reading. And the funniest part in her mind was that he didn't even want to have sex, he just wanted to hang out with her a little before being away for a few days. She'd giggled at him and thrown a pillow in his face for acting like he wanted it and then revealed it to only be a ploy to get her to abandon her reading for a little face time.

Once the meeting was adjourned, Alyssa stood and began gathering her things. Jennifer stopped by her on her way out placing a friendly hand to her shoulder. "Hey, you all right?" She asked concerned for her.

Alyssa looked up and took a breath and nodded curtly. "Yeah just distracted, today. I'm so used to being on vacation mode it's really difficult to get back into the swing of things again." She admitted with a disappointed frown at herself.

Jennifer grinned and chuckled, "Don't worry I had four cups of coffee this morning. But anyways are you excited about traveling more? I have to admit Lindsay has been amazing as your assistant. I'm her thesis chair like I was for you and she's going to be hopefully a great addition to the research team when she graduates." She replied making Lindsay grin brightly and blush at the compliment.

Alyssa grinned widely at her. "I'm glad she's my protégé after all." Alyssa stated proudly. She was extremely confident in Lindsay's abilities as both a student and a researcher. She'd not only single-handedly help Alyssa streamline everything in her classes so that it was really fluid from one semester to the next with minimal changes except for the curriculum changes here and there.

Both women walked out leaving Jennifer in the conference room as she tidied up her own things. Lindsay gave Alyssa a sideways glance and chuckled a little as she watched Alyssa's eyes search her cell phone for some kind of message from Nick. "You're really happy right now huh?"

Alyssa gave her a puzzled expression and cocked her head to the side then smiled and shrugged in response as they walked down to Alyssa's office. "Yeah I am." She said with a content sigh. "Life's just really pleasant right now. Nick's doing awesome; we're doing just as well. And the wedding is in a few months, which you are coming right? I know it's like right after your graduation and all." She said with a hopeful grin.

Lindsay smiled brightly. "That's awesome I didn't think you'd invite me..." She said rather modestly. It was true that she valued Alyssa as not only a colleague, professor but as a friend as well. She'd hoped that her hard work and dedication as well as her propensity for being a venting post for anything Alyssa may be frustrated about, whether it was friends, family or the other professors at the school under Alyssa who were envious of her. She did notice though, that since the tragedy of the past year that Alyssa didn't vent about her relationship much if rarely at all. It made her smile that they had gotten better and kept things between them relatively private despite the prying eyes of fans and paparazzi.

Alyssa gave her a grin, "Linds seriously come on now. I know you're very modest and all but you're my colleague and a former student of mine whom I happen to call a friend as well so why wouldn't I invite you to my wedding?" She asked. "Why because you happen to be a fan of my fiancé? Puh-lease you've met him and was he the stage persona Nick?"

"Well no..."

"Then relax and he was the one who told me to invite you. Partly because well you're one of our few friends outside our close-knit circle. But at the same time he knows I trust you and that's enough for him to trust you too."

Lindsay smiled and nodded as they sat down in Alyssa's office. "So is there anything in particular you need me to do this semester aside from streamlining all the data you send me for your dissertation and of course doing the initial revisions on all the students essays?"

"Nope that's pretty much it. It's going to be a lot to do so I don't want to overload you in your last semester." She explained with a smile. She knew that Lindsay would definitely appreciate the leeway with everything going on with her final semester of graduate level coursework. Alyssa saw a bit of her overachiever self in Lindsay with her speeding through her masters program in the hopes of being becoming a professor and literary researcher just that much sooner.

Lindsay grinned back and nodded. "Thank you Alyssa, really I'm going to need it."

Alyssa sighed contentedly again and looked at the clock noticing that it was getting close to Lindsay's class. "So, you better get going, or you'll be late for your thematic theory class." Alyssa reminded making Lindsay nod and stand. "We'll talk more over the phone and video conference while I'm traveling. And of course if you want you can always come visit on spring break as a ‘business' trip of sorts." She replied bidding Lindsay farewell for the day.

A moment later Aaron came trotting into her office his eyes still glued over his shoulder at something. He smirked to himself then turned seeing Alyssa's eyes on him. He blushed and grinned, "Who's the hot librarian?" He asked with a Cheshire grin.

Alyssa gave him an odd look then realized he had been staring in the same direction that Lindsay was walking in. "She's totally off limits...and way out of your league." She replied with a snarky retort.

He gave her an offended look. "How so?"

"Well let's see, she's smart, funny, and oh yeah not some stupid hoochie." Alyssa reasoned back as she clicked away on her laptop.

"So maybe I need someone like that."

Alyssa gave him a stern look. "But not one of my colleagues please. I was her professor and she could possibly be working here next fall as one of my faculty associates so I really do not need you to fuck up my professional relationship with her." She said gruffly hoping to deter him from going after her.

Aaron rolled his eyes and sighed, "What's eating you?" He asked changing the subject away from any potential interest of his. He knew she may just be being protective of her colleague but at the same time he sensed that she was somehow angry with him or something...or even someone.

Alyssa sighed and relaxed back into her chair. "Nothing just stressed with the new semester and all. I don't mean to snap at you. Just yeah...lots of stuff to do on top of traveling around...it's not easy to juggle everything." She replied hoping to explain away her slight annoyance at his suggestion of dating Lindsay. It wasn't so much that the idea itself was all that wrong in her mind, in fact if he were in a better place in his life emotionally she would even encourage his interest, but she also didn't want any awkwardness to happen if things were to go awry as they usually did with his relationships.

Aaron nodded and looked around the room absently. "So, I talked to Nick earlier he said he'd tried to call you earlier but couldn't get through."

Alyssa grinned, "Yeah I got his message. So aside from that what brings you here?"

"Just wanted to you know talk and stuff."

Alyssa gave him a glance and grinned. "About?"

"If you're busy though..." He began but stopped when Alyssa motioned for him to say what he'd come to say. "Well just...I needed a girl's opinion..."

"And you came to me?"

"Yeah..."

"Ok so start talking..." She said leaving the door wide open for him to voice his concerns and get the advice he was seeking from her.

The following morning...


Nick tapped his fingers over the mock leather encased steering wheel of his truck to some insane drum beat. Only thing was, the beat wasn't coming from the stereo speakers. The only sound aside from the engine running and the local traffic report from an AM station, was his incessant drumming. Brent looked over at him wondering what in the hell had gotten into him in the last couple of days. It seemed like he couldn't sit still lately, only getting worse within the last few hours of being in his presence. Thus it had really begun to grate on his nerves. "Dude...I'm turning on music."

"No I need the traffic report so I know what's going on before we hit the free way." Nick countered back.

"Then stop fucking drumming on the steering wheel you're giving me a migraine." Brent said rather gruffly. He didn't mean to sound so agitated but he was tired. He cursed himself for staying up so late playing video games the night before.

Nick chuckled and Brent scowled at him disapprovingly for finding humor in his pain. "Then don't stay up so fucking late playing Madden. And you should have had some of my coffee this morning...Liss says it's the best and you know how much of a coffee drinker she is." He said quickly his voice getting more excited by the mere mention of Alyssa's nickname.

Brent snickered and looked out the window wishing he'd remembered to bring his Ipod with them so he could at least distract himself and drown Nick out as he went back to tapping on the steering wheel humming a nonsensical tune his mind came up with. Sometimes he wondered what in the hell had possessed his best friend into having such a happy mood. He definitely figured that it had something to do with Alyssa and how good their relationship was at the moment and he couldn't deny being happy for him to see him so changed just by one girl.

Once they hit the free way Brent flipped the stations around trying to find a local rock station but getting mostly pop or country. He sighed and grabbed Nick's large book of CDs and flicked through them. Just as he found the one he wanted they were pulling up to the airport's parking structure and he rolled his eyes sighing and resigning himself to having to deal with Nick's overly giddy behavior.

After parking and getting their stub validated they walked quickly through the airport to just before where they were supposed to meet Alyssa. Nick glanced at his watch as they found a table at a café to just kick back at while they waited. Nick looked around seeing Brent walk over getting himself a steaming cup of coffee for himself. He chuckled thinking to how he'd heard Brent still playing the game when he woke up early that morning to go for his run/workout.

Getting bored Nick checked his email on his blackberry, then called Aaron. "Hey man..."

Before he even replied with a greeting Aaron chuckled, "Yes I made sure she got to the airport on time. I'm not completely unreliable." He replied knowing that Nick was going to ask that at some point.

Nick laughed and shook his head, "Nah man I was calling to see how you were doing ya punk." He joked back.

"Ah well good. You didn't tell me that Ali's TA or whatever was such a hottie."

Nick's eyebrow arched and he thought for a moment. True Lindsay was an attractive girl by anyone's standards but Nick never really noticed her looks before. "Linds? Yeah she's a pretty girl." He said neutrally wondering where his brother was taking the conversation.

"Yeah you should have told me. I saw her at Ali's office even though I didn't actually meet her. But yeah totally easy on the eyes." He replied chuckling at his own comment. "But anyways you're at the airport waiting for your woman like the whipped freak that you are right?"

"Oh shut up Airhead. Believe me, you find the right woman and you'll be just as bad if not worse." He reminded.

"Yeah I know, but I have tons of time for that I'm not old like you." Aaron joked.

"Now listen here you little whippersnapper." Nick responded mimicking a toothless old man's voice. The two of them laughed for a few minutes then continued their conversation going over the little essentials they were missing with being half way across the country from each other. As Nick rang off with Aaron, Brent came walking back over and plopped down on one of the chairs inhaling the intoxicatingly rich aroma of his coffee.

After taking a sip he looked up observing Nick's behavior how he shifted in his seat, bounced one leg, then the other, then both then repeating it all over again whilst his eyes were glued to his phone awaiting the phone call that she'd landed and was heading out to where they were.

Brent had to admit he was rather amused by his friend's behavior after his dose of caffeine. He watched as he continued his cyclical nervous ticks making up a little tune in his head that oddly sounded like the jeopardy theme but matched his movements perfectly. He watched for a few moments longer and then slapped his hand down on the table making Nick jump out of his skin at the sudden noise. "What?" Nick asked looking rather annoyed at him.

"She'll be here in a few minutes...Chill the fuck out will ya?"

Nick chuckled and sighed, "What?" He asked not knowing what was so apparent about his body language that made him so transparent in his desire to have Alyssa there already.

"Nick you haven't been able to sit still for the past three days and since yesterday, it's gotten worse! I'm assuming it has to deal with Alyssa some how but seriously as amusing as it is to see you fidget over one woman so much it's getting annoying." Brent answered.

Nick broke out laughing at that moment. "Sorry man, just you haven't seen her in a long time and she's changed a lot. She's still the same old Alyssa but she's different, classier, girlier, older. It's hard to describe but she's matured a lot since you last saw her." He explained trying to get him to understand just why he was so antsy for her to get to them. Just as Brent was about to respond Nick's phone buzzed on the table indicating a text. His smile widened and he stood. "Come on you'll see in a second." He said confidently as they walked over to just before security.

They stood scanning the multitude of people coming out of the area designated where passengers were to come through the opposite side of security. Nick spotted a familiar head of brunette hair that was half pulled back in a clip and the rest was down around her shoulders. He smiled even more widely as she approached wearing a camel colored leather winter jacket, a white sheer button down shirt with matching camisole underneath it. His eyes traveled down the rest of her seeing her jean clad hips that hugged her like a second skin, then to her calves that were encased in her knee-high boots with her jeans tucked into them. He recognized her boots smirking at the thin heels that made her just an inch shorter than him.

Alyssa smiled and swished her hair over her shoulder and stopped just a few paces for them. "Hello boys..." She said in a bright melodic tone.

Nick smirked and moved to her cradling her jaw as he leaned in pressing his mouth to hers for a moment completely forgetting that Brent was standing there a completely amused expression on his face. He slipped his tongue past her lips tasting mint on her tongue. Alyssa broke the kiss feeling more than just Brent's eyes on them. She grinned and laced her hand with his squeezing his fingers gently and then grinned at Brent. She broke away from Nick at that moment and moved over to Brent hugging him for a moment.

"You look so different..." He said as he broke the hug getting a good look at her.

She snicker-snorted and pulled back a little. "Yeah growing up kind of does that to a person. Anyways, let's go get my suitcases and we'll talk more." She said looping her arm with Nick's as the three of them departed to go to the baggage claim. Once they arrived Nick and Brent talked quickly as Alyssa listened to the two of them. Hearing a lull in the conversation she finally broke into the conversation taking Brent's attention. "Brent Pongetti...how are you, who are you? Tell me everything..." She said with a strong assertive tone to her voice that made his mind instantly go blank.

"Uhh still live in Tampa, with the girlfriend, Jen, and still playing the guitar obviously. Life's really great though right now, with everything going on and all that. Tell me about you, I mean I get it all the time from Chatty Cathy over here..." He remarked flailing his hand at Nick making him scowl back at him. "But tell me what's been going on with you?"

"Life is good. Family is great, the wedding of course as you know is in May. Career is going along perfectly right now, about to start another semester. Mom's moving out of Arizona in a few days and to Palo Alto so she can start teaching. Then as soon as our house is finished being built which thanks to building permits and such is taking longer than we thought we'll be moving to Monterey."

Their conversation continued while they got Alyssa's two bags and made their way out to Nick's truck. Brent jumped into the back seat letting the two of them take the front seat and driver seat. Alyssa turned her body crossing her legs so that she could converse with both Brent and Nick on the trip back to the house Nick had been renting while he would stay in Nashville. She smiled and made conversation with Brent reconnecting their similarities they had in the past. She had always liked Brent as one of Nick's few real friends that weren't into hardcore partying and girls.

Alyssa looked around seeing that they had driven to the outskirts of the city and into a small town called Franklin. She smiled at the different homes and styles around the area that made it look completely inviting and very much Nick's style. They pulled into the driveway of the two story house that was covered in brown brick and white trim as well as having an old fashioned covered porch complete with swing and chairs to sit on during the summer time. Alyssa smiled as they all got out and went inside. She noticed the massive amount of deep cherry hardwood flooring that covered the first floor, stairs and much of the second floor. She smiled brightly at the albums and plaques on the walls leading up the stairs and to the bedrooms, and office. She looked at Nick expectantly and he gave her a questioning glance in response.

She chuckled and sighed grabbing her laptop bag and her large duffel. "I'm going to take a shower and wash the airport off of me. Which bedroom?" She asked smirking at him.

Nick grinned and pointed up the stairs, "Up and last one on the right. Bathroom's in there as well." He said directing her to the master bedroom. Brent smirked at him as he watched Alyssa walk up the stairs her thin heels clicking up the hardwood stairs.

Both men chuckled and walked over kicking off their shoes and plopping themselves down on the couch happy to be back. Nick threw Brent a controller and turned on his Xbox 360. Brent laughed as they both started to play another round of video games until Andrew would be there later that day.

Meanwhile upstairs Alyssa set her bags on the large king sized made bed that came up to the tops of her thighs. She laughed at the very simple décor in the room and then to the picture on the nightstand. In a simple silver frame was a picture of the two of them, his hands cradling her jaw as their lips were embraced in a passionate kiss. She loved any of the picture where the two of them were kissing. She noticed that they almost always had their eyes closed, and some how their hands were involved with it showing their intense connection she thought. Sighing she unzipped her boots letting them drop on the floor. She went into the bathroom grabbing her toiletries bag and turned on the shower noting the crystal clear doors with a smirk. She disrobed and stepped under the hot spray feeling her body instantly relax from the warm water.

Once she was done she let her wet hair hang down her back pulling on a black tank top and her light blue soccer shorts that hugged her lean hips. She bounded down the stairs and went into the living room snorting at the look of both guys lounging on the furniture playing video games. "So that's what you've been doing eh?" She asked as she passed by Nick and plopped herself down on the couch next to him. The chilly air in the room from it being cold outside made Alyssa shiver. She rubbed her arms and sighed making Nick look at her.

"Cold?" He asked figuring he'd turn the heat on higher than it was for her if she was indeed cold.

She shrugged, "A little, where are your hoodies?" She asked wondering where he kept his big sweatshirts. He motioned to the closet down the hall from the front door and Alyssa stood padding over to the closet and pulled on the black and white Muhammad Ali sweatshirt chuckling at how big it was on her. She went back into the living room and curled up next to Nick on the couch pulling her bare legs underneath the hoodie.

Brent looked over throwing down his controller once again getting his ass handed to him. "This fucking sucks you always kick my ass."

Alyssa laughed a little at his exasperated tone. "Brent, don't feel bad, if he's not with me or on stage he's playing video games. It's a wonder he gets anything done with how much he loves his Xbox." She explained exaggerated a little. It was true that he played video games often but as he'd grown older he began playing less and less and more focused on his business ventures and their life at home leaving video games to be a welcome respite when he had the time for them.

Nick put down his controller as well and grabbed the television remote tossing it to Brent, "Find something to watch..." He semi-commanded. Alyssa snickered a little seeing Brent kick back and began flipping through the channels as Nick pulled Alyssa to lean against his side.

Brent watched them closely as Nick kicked up his feet on the coffee table and Alyssa snuggled herself into his chest. Nick lifted his arm off the back of the couch and draped it around her letting his hand fall to her mid back playing with the long damp strands of hair that rested there. He snickered and turned his attention back to flipping through channels finding a movie for them to chill out to. When Nick saw the screen, the familiar music his face immediately scrunched up seeing the red, blue and gold suited super hero. "How about this?"

"Fuck no...change it." Nick replied gruffly seeing Brandon on the screen. True it was, as Superman but still he didn't like seeing him as the Kryptonian superhero.

Brent's brow furrowed in confusion, "Dude, comic book movie!" He exclaimed not knowing the real reason behind Nick's disdain.

"Dude..." Nick replied sharply, "He's a total douche bag." Nick shot back making Alyssa erupt with a snicker.

"But I love this movie." Brent argued back. Nick unwrapped his arm around from Alyssa and sat forward on the couch reaching out his hand.

"Give me the remote." Nick said gruffly wanting to change it.

Alyssa bit the inside of her cheek seeing Brent's eyes widen in defiance. Nick stood and went over to him trying to take the remote while Brent kept pulling it out of his reach. Within moments the initial ‘catch me if you can' game they were playing turned into full on wrestling for the remote.

Alyssa giggled at the two of them and how the remote slid across the hardwood to just below her. She leaned down grabbing it. She remembered the multitude of times that he and Nick had done the very same ritual years before back in summer 2001 when she had come to stay with him. At the time it didn't really amuse her much but now the sight of it again made her laugh at their boyish fight. She thought it was simply hilarious how neither of them seemed to notice that the remote was no longer between them to be fought over. "Boys..."

Both of them looked up, Nick hovering over Brent his arms around his neck holding him in a half nelson. Nick smirked and dropped his hold on Brent making him fall to the ground but not hard enough to where it hurt. Nick stood but then was tripped by Brent grabbing onto his ankle as he tried to walk.

A loud roar of laughter erupted from Alyssa as she saw Nick brace himself on the ground. As much as she was concerned for him she couldn't help that it was pretty damn hilarious. "Are you all right?" She managed to mutter as Nick made his way back to her on the couch. She smacked his hands away from her as he grabbed for the remote. Just as he was about to reach it, the doorbell rang making him sigh and get up to go answer it. While he was gone Alyssa smirked and tossed Brent the remote. "Find something else to watch I'm hungry." She stated as she stood and went through the archway that led to the breakfast nook and kitchen area.

Getting bored for a second and wanting to know exactly why Alyssa and Nick had no desire to watch one of their favorite super heroes he got up and followed Alyssa into the kitchen. "So care to share what that was all about? Nick loves comic book movies."

Alyssa looked over at him from pouring herself a bowl of cereal having been displeased to find little to no food in the refrigerator. She sighed hoping that Nick had already explained the entire situation to him just leaving out the fact that Brandon was indeed Brandon Routh, movie star. "Did Nick ever mention Brandon to you?" She asked tentatively hoping that she didn't have to explain the whole situation.

Brent thought a moment then the proverbial light bulb in his head turned on as he remembered what Nick had told him. "Yeah..." He remembered definitely what had happened, that Alyssa had gotten drunk in a fit of rage at the suspicion that Nick was cheating on her and got her own revenge.

She sighed and looked down, "That's Brandon...Superman that is..." She said softly but just loud enough for Brent to hear her.

"Oh...OH!" He said the thoughts dawning on him as to why Nick would want to change the channel so abruptly.

Alyssa shrugged, "Yeah sore subject."

Just then Nick walked in with another male, a little shorter than him, skinny with dark hair that had light salt and pepper strands laced between the dark. Even though he looked younger than Nick his hair made him look oddly distinguished. "There you two are. Anyways, Andrew this is Alyssa, my fiancée I was telling you about." He stated with a proud grin.

Alyssa looked down to her attire feeling completely underdressed for the occasion of meeting someone. Her hair hung down in still damp soft curls, the big sweatshirt made her look as if she had nothing on underneath even though she did she felt relatively uncomfortable with being so laid back around someone she'd never met. "Sorry for my outfit, I was cold." She explained simply feeling a little embarrassed as she hoisted herself to sit on the counter lifting the sweatshirt from underneath her exposing her light blue shorts. "It's very nice to meet you though, Andrew." She said politely shaking his hand.

Andrew grinned and glanced at Nick then back to Alyssa, "So Nick tells me you're a big music fan."

She smiled and nodded, "Yes lots of different types, mainly rock and classical though."

"Classical? Seriously? Not a lot of girls say they like the old stuff much."

She chuckled and shrugged, "Old soul I guess, I grew up playing the piano so Beethoven to Chopin to Gershwin it all kind of stuck with me as I grew up." She explained with a grin. "So tell me about yourself, Nick told me you're a song writer?"

"Yeah..." He replied modestly.

"Dude, be honest you know you love the attention." Nick remarked patting Andrew on the shoulder. "He wrote on the Millennium album."

Alyssa's back straightened as she cocked her head to the side curiously. "Really what song? Or well songs?"

"My solo." Nick replied seeing Alyssa's eyes light up.

"That's Kellie's favorite song! She loves the lyrics, and was completely pissed that Nick got to sing it instead of Alex." She replied making Nick's face fall a little. They rarely ever discussed his music but he'd kind of hoped that she'd found that song to be one of her favorites considering it was the first published song that he'd sung solo on.

"You don't like it?" Andrew asked playing devil's advocate.

"Oh no I like it, lyrically it's a great song and I love how it sounds too with the piano and such. Just it wasn't my exact favorite on that album though it was up there." She replied.

Andrew chuckled and nodded, "So are you going to hang out here while we jam?" He asked with a grin hoping she'd stay. He could definitely see why Nick was involved with her; she was exactly the type of girl a guy like Nick needed. One that had a true sense of normalcy in her life and was relatively laid back and fell easily into conversation with complete strangers. He watched them and their interactions a little with Nick's hand placed on her bare knee to their content relaxed smiles towards each other.

Alyssa gave Nick an expectant look and he nodded with a smile. "Sure, I mean if you guys don't mind me sitting in on your jam while I make last minute notes on my syllabus." She explained making the three guys smile at her. The other two walked over to the table sitting down to start discussing ideas again. Nick turned to her and grinned rubbing his fingertips over the top of her knees making her shudder and grin at him. He leaned in wrapping his hands around her knees as he pressed his mouth to hers while she put her hands on his forearms holding him in close proximity to her.

A chorus of loud whistles emanated from the table from behind made them turn and start laughing at the other two. Nick helped Alyssa back off of the counter and she grabbed her bowl of cereal before joining the men at the kitchen table completely content to listen to their enthusiastic ramblings while she munched on her cheerios.




Chapter 28: The Calm Before The Storm by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter! It's a fun one, lots of teasing going on. I figured I'd let them chill a bit before the mayhem of the tour gets underway next chapter. Anyways enjoy! As always R&R

Chapter Twenty-Eight: The Calm Before The Storm

Early that morning Brent stood in the kitchen frying up a couple of eggs for himself as his toast popped up signifying that it had finished. The house was eerily quiet, the only noises coming from the sizzling stove in front of him. He'd gotten up early seeing that Nick and Alyssa had already been up for some time and were not in the house nor on the premises. He chuckled figuring that they probably went out to breakfast or something just to get away for a couple of hours to be alone.

His thoughts were interrupted as Nick and Alyssa burst through the front door and made their way into the kitchen. Both of them were sweaty and out of breath. Nick sat down on a barstool folding his hands on the bar that separated the kitchen from the breakfast nook. "God damn woman you run fast." Nick said in between labored breaths. He brought the end of his shirt up wiping the large beads of sweat that lined his brow and he glanced over at Alyssa who was smiling at him and wiping her own brow with her forearm.

Brent sniggered at the two of them figuring they'd gone on a run. "Yeah, you didn't have to come with me you know." Alyssa shot back as she stretched to cool down her muscles. "You better stretch or you won't be able to walk."

Nick grumbled and moved to stretch out his legs and his back from the long hard run. He winced as he stretched out his hamstrings and knees almost regretting for thinking he could handle a run with his fiancée who ran much more often and much farther than he did. "Fuck my knees hurt." He grumbled as he felt them swell from being overworked.

Alyssa gave him a sympathetic glance and came over to him taking a long swig of her ice cold water bottle. "Can you make it over to the couch?" She asked with an idea to help him stave off any more pain and swelling. He nodded and began to hobble over to the couch. "Go wash up first, take a bath I'll go draw one for you." She said remembering that he'd have to bathe and the oinment she kept for sore muscles and joints would be washed off. He gave her a look and she chuckled. "Come on you big wuss." She said taking his arm around her shoulders letting him lean on her as he winced cursing under his breath at his soreness.

She smirked at Brent and took Nick up the stairs making sure he had his bearings holding onto the banister and the wall. Once he was sure he could make it the rest of the way Alyssa bounded up the stairs into the master bath drawing a hot bath with chamomile and lavendar bath bomb from her toiletries bag in the tub.

A few moments later Nick came into the bathroom having stopped to kick off his socks and shoes. He wrinkled his nose at her and groaned, "Girly shit in the tub?" He half whined. "Yeah ‘cause I'm not gonna hear enough shit from Brent about you moaning last night. I need more about how I smell like flowers."

Alyssa snickered and smacked his shoulder, "Well I can always just get off on my own if you're so embarrassed about my moaning." She shot back making his face instantly sober and his eyes look her up and down. "Heh, that's what I thought. And besides it's for your muscles you can always wash the smell off in the shower afterwards." She reasoned with him making him relent. She stood there expectantly as he stood as well looking at her dumbly.

"What?" He asked wondering what she was doing still standing there. It's true he didn't mind being naked in front of her but he didn't quite expect her to stay and watch him get undressed and then into the tub.

Alyssa chuckled at him and moved to leave, "What it's not like I've never seen you naked before lover." She shot back.

"I know that it's just a little awkward...could you?"

She rolled her eyes, knowing that he probably just didn't like her seeing him hurt and being naked would just increase his vulnerability."I'll set some clothes out for you, then you're to be on the couch I have some balm that will make you feel like new." She said.

As soon as she left the room Nick took a breath and instantly cursed himself for turning her away like that. It wasn't normal for him to just instantly feel so awkwardly self conscious about being naked in front of her. Maybe it had a lot to do with that she was fully clothed, or that he was hurt and just didn't like his complete vulnerability. What he did know was that he definitely needed to talk to her about it and apologize for his momentary idiocy.

He knew that with the schedule they had coming up that he should make the most of the time they had together since the tour was going to keep him rather busy and exhausted most of the time. As much as he wanted to make the most of their down time, he didn't want to be all about getting off either. He smirked as he thought to himself, wondering how she would take slowing things down a little. Not to the point where they had been last fall, but just drawing things out a bit more than usual.

He disrobed quickly letting his clothing fall haphazardly on the floor and began to lower himself into the hot water hissing as his skin slowly became accustomed to the temperature. Once he was nearly fully submerged he leaned his head back on the padded walling of the Jacuzzi tub seeing that she'd even gone so far as to turn on the massaging jets focusing them on his legs. A few moments later Alyssa came back in the room dropping a few towels on the counter then came over and sat on the edge of the tub. "I'm sorry...you know I don't know what I was thinking." He said in a hurry trying to back pedal as well as he could.

She sighed and flicked a little bit of water at him. "It's all right. You're hurt and being a big ole baby about it and the last thing you want is for your girlfriend to watch you fumble trying to get your clothes off am I right?" She said seeing right through him.

He shrugged. "I guess. Normally I'd be dragging you in here." He replied back.

She grinned and stood. "Oh well I'm gonna take a shower, gotta get all the sweat off of me." She replied biting back a grin going over to the clear glass walls of the shower that was in direct eye view of the tub. His eyes narrowed while she turned on the water and took off her sport tank that she'd worn on their run. His breathing quickened as he watched the material lift up off her body and then drop to the floor in some unknown place unable to tear his eyes away from her. She continued to strip off her clothes not caring that he was intently staring at each new area of exposed skin. She grinned to herself as she got into the shower and stepped under the spray wetting her hair down.

Nick bit his lower lip as he watched her feeling his heart beat pick up even more than when she had started taking off her sweaty clothes. He swallowed hard feeling his groin tighten at the sight of her in the shower. He wanted to look away but his brain and eyes felt otherwise staring at her while she washed her hair and lathered up herself with the loofah. He watched her turn from him and begin to rinse off the soap from her body. Watching her was seriously mental and visual torture for him. He definitely knew he was going to have to get her back for it eventually.

Somehow he felt as if she were reading his mind from his earlier thoughts. He knew it she was trying to torture him into getting out of the tub and throwing her against the shower wall in retaliation. But he let his willpower take control knowing that if he tried to get out of the tub quicker than his knees would allo that he'd probably pay for it later. So instead he resigned himself to watching her, waiting until he could exact his revenge.

Alyssa grinned knowing he was watching her. Alyssa looked over catching his stare and smirked at him as she finished up her shower. She turned off the water and walked out of the shower grabbing a towel and wrapping it around herself taking a smaller towel and running it over her hair. She walked over to him staying just above arms length so he wouldn't retaliate and pull her into the tub with him, "You know you don't have to stare, you could have just joined me." She remarked making his face contort into a dark look as his eyes darkened with a mix of lust and anger. A few minutes later he got up out of the tub with a little less difficulty than he had anticipated. He drained the tub and grabbed a towel drying himself off.

He walked into the bedroom seeing her already dressed. He smirked thinking that he was going to definitely enjoy drawing out their actions towards each other.  Getting an idea on how to get her going he pulled on his shorts and grabbed her arm as she tried to pass. He pulled her quickly onto the bed and pinned her beneath him despite how much his knees were screaming at him for doing so.

Alyssa stared up at him arching an eye brow at him almost challenging him to make a move. It was at that moment Nick realized exactly why she was teasing him and why she'd been a tease so much to him lately. She was trying to goad him to the point where he pushed all reason aside and ravished her. Knowing this valuable information he decided it was time to turn the tables on her and let her fully feel the sexual frustration she could so expertly cause within him.

He smirked and nipped along her jaw avoiding her mouth feeling the muscles in her mouth contract into a large grin. He bit along her neck hearing her gasp and moan at the sensation. He bit harder down her neck and to her collarbone as his hips got into the act as well grinding against her suggestively. Almost instantly Alyssa moved her legs to one on either side of him bending her knees up aligning their pelvises perfectly. He continued with his movements on her knowing that as soon as he got her to the exact spot he wanted her it would be more than a little difficult to fulfill his plan. His smirked against her skin feeling her hands go from in his hair, to one on his back slightly digging her nails into his shoulder blade, and the other between them sliding inside his shorts.

He smiled and pushed away from her standing and going over to pull a shirt on before hobbling down the stairs and getting on the couch to rest his knees. Alyssa laid on the bed breathing heavily and slightly dazed as to what had just happened. She sat up going over the events in her head for a moment and started chuckling. She knew exactly what he was doing. He's getting his revenge, she mused to herself. Well if it's a war he wants, it's a war he's gonna get. "Oh...it's so on now." She muttered before grabbing the oinment she'd said she'd bring and trotted herself downstairs as if nothing had happened.

She walked in seeing him lounging on the large couch flipping through channels. Alyssa came over and sat down on the couch motioning for him to bend his knees making him wince a little. She chuckled and put his knees across her lap and opened the tub of muscle balm. He gave her a look as he watched her rub the oinment onto her hands warming it before moving in on his right knee making him groan loudly and rest his head on the armrest closing his eyes at the mix of sensations.

She massaged her fingers over his knee cap and the underside feeling the tendons give and some of the swelling decrease. She moved her hands up slightly to his hamstrings gently but deeply moving over the taut muscles all the while becoming dangerously close to his groin. Everytime she would his body would tense and then relax as she moved her hands away. He watched her clutching a pillow to the front of him so as to guard himself from revealing the extent of what she did to him. She moved her hands to his other knee grabbing a little more balm to rub over the sore swollen joint.

He closed his eyes again his mouth slightly parted as his body shifted slightly getting anxious at the feel of her fingers blazing the same path up his thigh as she'd done on the other.

At that moment Brent came walking back into the living room raising his eyebrows at the scene in front of him. Alyssa had since moved from sitting to kneeling looking like she was pratically straddling Nick's calves and her hands on the underside of his mid thigh. He snickered and shook his head. "Wow if you two wanna be alone just say so."

Alyssa laughed and pointed to the tub of balm on the coffee table. "It's to help his joints out, Lord knows I don't want him hyper-extending it or tearing something at rehearsals." She replied as she finished up massaging the balm into his legs and got up closing the lid and went into the kitchen to wash her hands.

Brent gave Nick a look and Nick shrugged. "Dude you're so whipped."

Nick laughed and sighed, "So are you, you'd do anything for Jen so don't fucking start." Nick reasoned. Brent nodded his head in agreement making the two of them laugh. "She's such a tease I swear." Nick added making Brent snigger.

"Seriously I couldn't tell." He quipped sarcastically just as Alyssa walked back into the room with a stack of papers and her notes. She plopped herself down on the couch and pulled her hair in a messy twist with her spare pencil while she crossed her legs beneath her and leaned herself against the arm rest.

Nick studied her body language knowing that beneath her seemingly calm exterior that she was definitely sexually frustrated, probably as much as he was. He chuckled noting how she tapped the end of her pencil frantically on the edge of her papers. The small hint of her tongue poking out of the side of her mouth showing that she was trying in a rather vain attempt to change her focus to her task at hand. He smirked at her attempt to remain aloof and figured that this was going to be rather interesting to see how fast he could get her to crack.

A few hours later...


Alyssa had somehow made her way up the stairs and into the master bedroom clicking away on her laptop doing  her networking with her faculty for her course. A few moments an instant message popped up from Lindsay asking for a video conference. Alyssa grinned and accepted the invitation readily. She smiled seeing Lindsay's face pop up on her screen. "Hey Alyssa, hows Nashville? You go all country bumpkin yet?" She said giggling looking at her friend's relaxed appearance.

"No..." Alyssa replied chuckling back. "I wouldn't really qualify this area as bumpkin territory, it's not too far in the deep south and most people work in the city. It's really quiet though, definitely a nice cozy little area outside of the city." She continued.

"That's great, it's raining here in hell-ay. Meetings have been going well. Drea seems to not like the new curriculum changes, or the syllabus changes." She said rolling her eyes.

"Drea doesn't like much at all. I heard her a while back gossiping and since then I really haven't cared to hear her opinion." Alyssa admitted.

Lindsay laughed and nodded, "Oh yeah it's like Melrose place around here without you. Especially your faculty associates they don't think it's fair you get to do the distance learning shin dig and they have to stay."

At that moment Alyssa heard a very loud crash coming from what she thought was just down the hall. She looked over to the door and Lindsay chuckled. "I think the boys are messing around with the music room again." Alyssa remarked explaining the crash. "Probably hit the cymbals a little too hard."

"Anyways, I just wanted to give you a brief heads up. Oh and I wanted to ask you who that was who I passed on the way to my class before you left."

Alyssa snickered and bit her lip. "Some fan you are...That would be Aaron, you know Nick's lil brother."

She watched rather amused as Lindsay's eyes widened, "You're kidding? I didn't think he'd gotten so tall. But then again I've always kinda been more a fan of the music and not what they look like or where they are sort of thing you know? I know it's a little nuts to be on some of the message boards those girls can get a little loopy." She joked back.

Alyssa heard the beginnings of what sounded like drums come from down the hall. Curious as to what exactly the three of them were doing she quickly bid Lindsay farewell and closed her laptop. She padded quietly down the hardwood laden hall knowing she didn't really have to with the rather loud sounds of crashing symbols a multitude of snare and the low rumbling of the bass drum breaking up the sounds. She poked her head through the open doorway seeing Brent hooking up his guitar and various pedals to an amp system, and Andrew setting up his keyboard. The more she looked the more she realized that behind the drum set was her fiancé.

She looked away for a moment then slowly let her eyes drift back over to him noticing his furrowed brow and already light sheen of sweat on his hairline and shoulders. Her breathing quickened and her heart beat rapidly in her chest. If he was trying to ‘innocently' tease her then he certainly was doing the job. She wondered if he remembered her telling him when she was in college that drummers were her weakness. After all many of her boyfriends were drummers, Collin, Tommy (even though she didn't really categorize him as a traditional boyfriend since the didn't date very long), and now Nick.

Across the room Nick wailed his arms against the drums getting them loose for a few hours of jamming. He slowly opened his eyes looking around the room at the sparse walls then to his friends. Finally his eyes rested on the dark haired figure leaning on the door jamb her eyes transfixed upon him. He fought the urge to smirk but instead stopped drumming for the moment and got up going over to look at some of the sheet music they'd written on earlier. He knew he didn't need the sheet music but at the same time knowing that she was watching his every move made him kind of want to tease her more than he had earlier in the day.

Alyssa bit her lip and tried not to smile. She mentally cursed at him for walking around in one of her favorite things he wore, a pair of low slung basketball shorts that looked huge on him now since his weightloss, and a form fitting white wife beater with a simple silver chain and their wedding rings around it at the bottom. It made her smile that he preferred to wear them around his neck until the big day, almost as if it were a constant reminder to him as her engagement ring was for her of their impending comittment.

She watched him walk back over to the drum set dragging a small table over to sit near the seat where he placed a pen and paper. He sat back down avoiding her gaze but still looking over in her direction stealing glances at her bare legs where a tee-shirt came to just the tops of her thighs showing a small pair of womens boxer shorts that made him grin inwardly. He hadn't really thought much of the outfit when he'd put it on just wanting something loose to lounge in. But seeing her reaction made him happy that their waiting game was panning out knowing that this may very well be one of the last times they'll get to really enjoy the chase as much as the act before the tour.

Alyssa caught his eyes with hers and smirked at him making him smirk back at her in a very coy silent game they were playing. She watched as they jammed not even really noticing the other two in the room, but keeping her eyes on his arms as they moved creating the beat they'd constructed. She crossed her legs and arms leaning fully onto the door jamb as he stopped for a moment placing a drumstick between his teeth so he could write something down on the paper he'd brought over for himself. She snickered a little knowing that the seemingly innocent act wasn't all so innocent.

He saw her back straighten a little at his motion and he grinned while he wrote down a couple of lines of music. At that moment Brent finally took notice that they had an audience and followed her intense gaze over to Nick. He smiled a bit remembering how they'd both steal glances at the other back so many years before. The change from covert longing looks to blatant staring was quite a bit of a shock to him as he noticed Nick would also stare back at her when he wasn't focusing on the music at hand.

A few moments later when there was a lull in the music and Brent set his guitar down while Nick furiously wrote things down. Brent smiled at Alyssa who still didn't seem to notice. "So Ali what do you think?" He asked making her turn her head.

"Huh?" She asked dumbly then noted his questioningly amused glance. "Oh it sounds good. Really good. Got any lyrics for it yet?" She replied nonchalantly.

Nick grinned and shrugged, "No not yet, but I think we're good on it for now right?" He asked seeing Andrew and Brent nod and stretch.

"Man I could use a beer right now." Andrew remarked as he stretched his arms out as well as his fingers that were sore from jamming for much of the day.

"I know let's all go to Tin Roof. Knock back some drinks, play some pool maybe?" Brent suggested knowing he was probably going to get turned down by Nick and Alyssa but would end up going with Andrew to give the couple a few hours alone. And from the looks on their faces they definitely needed it.

Nick gave Alyssa a smirk and nodded in agreement with Brent. "Yeah some beers sound really good right now." He said making Alyssa's jaw set and her eyes narrow. Surely he wasn't going to go out and get drunk when he could spend the night in bed with her. "Liss you wanna come? You'll love this place." He added trying to coax her into going.

Alyssa gave him a look then quickly smiled noticing the others were looking expectantly. "Sure thing, I'd love to come." She replied then turned on her heel excusing herself and went back into the bedroom.

Nick bit the inside of his cheek to keep his composure from her blatant words. Thankfully the other two were oblivious or at least had the decency not to mention the double entendre that had emanated from her mouth.

About two hours later...


Alyssa laughed as she raised her beer glass to her lips taking a long sip of her draught. She watched Nick across the way as he smiled and chatted happily posing for pictures with the multitude of fans that had heard he was in town. Every few seconds his gaze would drift from the throng of girls over to Alyssa seeing the minimal yet tantalizing amount of skin she was showing.

He loved her casual attire that made it seem like she so effortlessly tried to look like a normal college girl but there was an air of classiness to it that made her all the sexier to him. The only skin that was showing aside from her face and a piece of each forearm was her shoulders and neck. She wore a black tight off the shoulder shirt and a pair of well worn blue jeans and peep-toed heels to match. His mind immediately pictured the feel of her shoulders under his fingertips and the softness of her neck that, thanks to a ponytail, was exposed rather obviously. He looked to her face seeing it lightly made up with simple silver eye shadow and black liner on her eyes. Her bangs had fallen from her ponytail and the long strands framed her face down to the hinge of her jaw.

He knew he wanted to keep the game between them going but with how she looked, he definitely doubted being able to reign in his own desires in favor of self control to win. He sighed being ripped from his lustful stare into another round of playing the dutiful popstar always loyal and loving of his fans. He sighed resigning himself from watching her laugh and drink with two of his friends when really he wanted to drag her into the bathroom and make her scream.

Back over at the table Alyssa smirked feeling his eyes on her and glanced over giving him a challenging glance. She knew what this whole thing was, a teasing game that was slowly turning into a battle for power. She also knew that eventually one of them would give in. She also knew why he was doing it. She'd figured out his ulterior motive, to truly savor the time they had before the tour. She sighed thinking of the hectic schedule that lay ahead them and the struggle for time alone that was sure to follow. But that didn't mean she couldn't have a little fun with him in the meantime either.

"Are you sure it's ok that they do that?" Andrew asked making Alyssa look over at him while she took a drink.

Setting her glass down she gave him a look. "What do you mean?"

"Them, the fans, you don't mind that they hang all over him and grab his ass or try to kiss him?" He asked clarifying his point. He watched her body language whenever she'd looked over to her fiancé and it looked like she was more amused than territorial.

She shrugged, "Comes with the territory. I mean I know him, and once upon a time I can pinpoint about three girls he would have taken home with him. But he's changed a lot since then and I know he's only going home with me and so it doesn't really bother me because they're fighting a losing battle if they think he's gonna get with any of them." She explained feeling very confident in her words.

Back over on Nick's side of things he smiled and listened intently as several of the fans gushed over the new album. He beamed with pride and nodded thanking them for enjoying it. It was then that one fan asked, "So where's your fiancée? Or is she your wife now?"

Nick grinned widely, "She's not my wife...yet. But in a few months she will be. And she's over there." He said happily pointing in her direction. "She's on vacation hanging here while Brent and I write some music together."

"That's so cool!" One of the more giggly fans gushed.

"Can we get a picture with both of you?" Another said making the corners of his eyes crinkle in a warm smile.

"Yeah...hang on a sec." He said and looked over to Alyssa who had returned her attention to him from her conversation with Andrew. He waved his hand beckoning her to come over to them. Alyssa got up excusing herself politely and made her way over to the little crowd.

"You rang?" She asked with a snarky grin playing upon her lightly berry stained lips.

Nick smirked and kissed her temple. "These lovely ladies would like to take a picture with both of us." He said smiling happily at her.

She grinned and turned to the girls. "Aw, cool." She replied simply making the fans instantly warm to her. Alyssa smiled brightly at each picture feeling blinded almost by the flashes. At one point to distract herself Nick and Alyssa turned and smiled at each other not even realizing that a picture was being taken.

Once everyone was done and Nick thanked them for being fans and listening to the music. The two of them made their way over to the table sitting together once again.  Alyssa looked over at him noticing the distance between their bodies, even though it was mere inches, it still made her look at him strangely. Normally she was accustomed to at least a hand on her thigh, an interlacing of their fingers or at the bare minimum a hand at the small of her back.

Nick smirked knowing what she was looking for and purposely kept his distance physically from her. He knew it was more to contain his own self control but it simultaneously drove her to the edge of her own sanity. His entire body tensed as he felt a hand on his thigh up towards his knee. He gave her a sideways glance seeing her immersed in a conversation with Brent about the need for better publicity for soccer in America. He swallowed hard and took a long swig of his beer feeling her hand inch it's way up. Not wanting her to know that he was about two seconds away from pulling her out of the bar, he placed his hand on top of hers and took it off of his leg, placing it back onto her own thigh and then moved his hand to the small of her back for a moment tracing the contours of her skin beneath the black fabric of her shirt for a moment then moving to rest along the back of her chair.

Alyssa sighed at the brief contact wanting more. She bit her lip while she listened to Brent's retort trying her best to remain focused. A task she knew would be an exercise in futility. Once she finished that conversation and Brent talked with Andrew about various things Alyssa leaned over to Nick pressing her lips just below his ear lobe then lifted up a little to whisper. "Take me home..."

He smirked and leaned in whispering back with a devilish grin. "Why I thought we were having fun?" He coyly played back.

Alyssa sighed frustratedly. "You know why..."

"Maybe I just like seeing you squirm..." He replied his breath hot on her neck then nipped at the sensitive skin at the hinge of her jaw driving home his point just that much further.

In retaliation Alyssa slipped her hand between them under the table and found the growing bulge in his jeans grasping it. She smirked as she felt him tense up. "See I can make you squirm just as much..." She replied making him push her hand away giving her a warning glance before delving into another conversation between Andrew and Brent. Alyssa slightly pouted and sat back in her seat hoping they would leave soon. Inwardly Nick sighed, he knew he wanted to draw things out, but he didn't know how much longer his willpower could hold.

A few hours later...


Alyssa walked into the bedroom with huff kicking off her shoes sufficiently miffed that he had not only practically refused her advances but forced her to wait a couple of extra hours before coming back to the house. Nick followed her close behind watching her as she tore off her shirt and jeans going over to her suit case and grabbing a camisole pulling it over her head and then took of her strapless bra from underneath it tossing it to the ground. She went into the bathroom washing her makeup off and taking off her long earrings. As much as she knew he was just trying to get them to fully enjoy the teasing between them she'd grown frustrated with it and just wanted the game to be over with.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked as she walked back in. She gave him a near furious look and shook her head as she turned down the sheets. "Sugar...come on...talk to me."

She rolled her eyes and launched a pillow at him, "Are you fucking serious? God I'm practically throwing myself at you all night and you fucking push me away!" She snapped ferociously yet not raising her voice above normal speaking volume.

"Glad you know how it feels now." He shot back with a defiant glare. "You're amazing at teasing and love to do it, but don't like it much when it's done back on you now do you?"

Alyssa's eyes narrowed. "That's what this was about? Because I was kidding around with you knowing it'd get you going?"

"Yeah...exactly what I was doing. Not nice is it?" He said as he rounded the bed coming closer to her. She backed up because of his advances until she hit the nightstand and he stood right before her.

"You're such an asshole sometimes." She replied looking up at him.

"Yeah and you can also be a real bitch when you want to. So I think it balances out quite nicely." He shot back chuckling under his breath.

Alyssa moved to the side and Nick moved with her pulling her into a kiss to which she pulled back and raised her hand to slap him for trying to kiss her and diffuse the situation with their pent up sexual frustration. He grabbed her wrist and walked a few steps pinning it against the wall, along with the other as she raised it as well. She breathed heavily and stared at him for a moment still angry at the incessant game between them. If it meant she was going to lose in their messed game she didn't care as she leaned in and kissed him feeling his grip on her wrists loosen then move to her neck holding her face in place as he deepened the kiss.

He felt her body fully give into the kiss and he gathered her up turning them around and planting them both on the bed without breaking their embrace. Alyssa's hands made quick work of his jeans while he slipped off his shirt and helped her get his jeans and boxer briefs over his hips. He grinned down at her as he broke the kiss finally and got to his knees smirking as she raised her hips placing her feet up on his chest. He watched as she wriggled her body out of her boy short underwear taking them once they reached her knees and tossed them aside. While he finished removing his jeans from around his ankles Alyssa arched her back lifting the camisole up and off of her leaving no scrap of clothing between them.

He leaned down settling himself between her legs despite her attempts for him to roll them over. "No, we do this my way." He shot back as his fingers searched out her clit rubbing over it roughly making her hips buck and a loud low moan escape her lips.

"I hate you sometimes you know that..." She remarked as he kept up his torture for a few moments pulling away just when she felt herself begin to give over to the pleasure he brought out in her.

He chuckled, "No you don't...you just hate that I can make you beg for it." He retorted as he slid inside of her both of them groaning in unison. He loved seeing the frustration displayed so clearly on her face as he began to move with a slow and deliberate pace.

Alyssa closed her eyes momentarily just reveling in how everything felt. She chuckled to herself knowing he was doing this whole game between them to have this as the end result. Afterall it was one thing to steal moments on tour for a quickie here and there, but to have the time to truly experience one another, was a completely different entity. As much as she loved the fact he was taking his time, her own desire and frustration was beginning to get the best of her. She thrust her hips up roughly smacking their hips together as he filled her again he growled and stopped for a moment giving her a warning glance. "Please..." She asked wanting more than just the slow sensual movement he'd been leading them with.

"No." He said simply. "We're going slow." He added making her groan frustratedly. He chuckled and kissed her lips smiling as she looped her arms under his gently gripping his shoulders. He smiled watching her face as he moved above her, seeing her face scrunch up slightly everytime he would thrust back against her. He smiled as she wrapped her legs around his waist bending her knees up as far as she could with every thrust he made. She arched her back feeling her clit brush his pelvic bone.

She opened her eyes seeing his eyes had shut in concentration and maybe also in determination to continue with their slow pace. "Nick..." She sighed bringing her hand to his face. He opened his eyes and smiled at her leaning in as she slid her hand from his cheek to the back of his head, their lips meeting more urgently than he had anticipated. Dismissing the urgency of their kiss he continued on his slow steady movements feeling her body begin to shake slightly. He began to pull back almost as if he were stopping making Alyssa clutch to his shoulders. "If you stop I'll kick your ass..." She replied sharply making him laugh and lean down kissing her again to silence her voice.

He felt her body begin to tense knowing that she was almost trying to bring about her own release just to relieve the tension inside of her. "Stop..." He said plainly making her look up at him confused. "Just stop what you're doing...let yourself enjoy this, we have all night..." He reasoned looking down at her completely stopping his movement on her so the full weight of his words would sink in.

"But...I..." She began to protest but was silenced with another lingering kiss.

"You talk too much sometimes." Nick muttered against her lips as he resumed their pace making her breathe in deeply. He moved his mouth from hers nipping along her chin and down her throat as she arched her back against him. He moved his arms underneath her shoulders resting his weight on his elbows cradling her to him as he slightly increased the intensity but not the speed of his thrusting.

Suddenly Alyssa felt something cold hit her chest. She opened her eyes seeing that the chain around his neck that had been resting on his back had, do to their movements slipped back around making the two rings of intertwining metal and diamonds come to rest on her chest moving slightly as they moved against each other. She looked down seeing the rings glint in the light of the room making her grin her chest tightening and her eyes getting slightly misty from the mere idea that those two bands represented.

Nick felt her body tighten slightly and looked up from kissing along her collarbone. "Are you okay?" He took the opportunity raising back up onto his hands bringing him to be straight over her so that she couldn't escape his concerned glance.

She looked up and nodded in response wrapping her fingers around the thin silver chain pulling it down towards her bringing him in for another searing kiss. Unable to deny it any longer he finally eased up his speed bringing them both to lingering climaxes in just a few moments. He slowly broke the kiss bringing his hand up to brush the hair that had matted to her forehead with sweat, studying her face as she did the same both laying in silence as they came down from their highs.

The following afternoon...

"...They had no conversation together, no intercourse but what the commonest civility required. Once so much to each other! Now nothing! There had been a time, when of all the large party now filling the drawing-room at Uppercross, they would have found it most difficult to cease to speak to one another." Alyssa spoke as they sat beneath a rather large willow tree. She felt his eyes burning into her and knew he was smirking as he watched her read aloud. "With the..." She stammered feeling slightly embarrassed at his amused stare. "With the exception, perhaps, of Admiral and Mrs Croft, who... Okay seriously stop it." She said not looking up aside from a quick glance of her eyes.

Nick snickered and grinned innocently. "What I'm not doing anything?" He replied making her finally look up with what looked like a snarky retort on her mind.

Alyssa set the book onto her lap closing it upon her finger. "I can't read Persuasion with you staring at me like that. Remember I'm not used to performing like you so reading aloud isn't easy for me." She shot back.

Nick laughed, "But you could lecture to a huge classroom?" He asked trying to dismiss her anxiety. He moved up to sit next to her both of them leaning against the large tree trunk.

Alyssa gave him a look her cheeks reddening slightly. "That's different, it's much different than having my fiancé stare at me while I read one of my favorite novels."

"I'm sorry for staring. I just think it's cute how your voice changes with every different point she's trying to make." He explained before he moved his hands to her book opening it again finding where she left off. He handed her the book back. "Keep going I like listening to you."

She gave him a look and found her place again beginning at  the sentence she left off taking a large breath and clearing her throat, "With the exception, perhaps, of Admiral and Mrs Croft, who seemed particularly attached and happy, (Anne could allow no other exceptions even among the married couples), there could have been no two hearts so open, no tastes so similar, no feelings so in unison, no countenances so beloved. Now they were as strangers; nay, worse than strangers, for they could never become acquainted. It was a perpetual estrangement..." She continued to read finishing up the chapter. Once she was done she looked at him marking her place and smiling at him. "Happy now?"

He grinned and leaned over pressing his mouth to hers for a brief moment as his response. She smiled as he broke the kiss taking the book from her and setting it back down on the blanket they'd brought out with them. Alyssa sighed and went over grabbing a piece of her sandwich from inside of the cooler. Nick smiled and grabbed his food as well both of them just content to eat in silence for a few moments.

Alyssa sighed and threw their trash into their cooler to dispose of back at the house. She was definitely happy that he'd decided to spring this alone time for them, a picnic in the park made her chuckle at him for the corny gesture when he'd brought it up. "So are you excited about the tour?" She asked knowing that in just a few short days, they'd be brushing up extensively for the tour.

Nick grumbled and his face contorted in slight dismay. "I don't even want to think about the tour right now. There's just way too much to even consider as far as all of the work I have to do. Then planning the wedding? It's a little crazy we waited so long to get around to getting married." He explained feeling a little exasperated. "Let's not talk about the tour okay?" He said after taking a breath to calm down from the feeling of anxiety of just thinking about what the tour entailed.

Alyssa gave him a sympathetic glance and nodded. "Can I talk about the wedding? Nothing like loral arrangements or any of that. Just I have a few questions I wanted to discuss with you."

Nick nodded and sighed, "Yeah of course, just no serious planning yet, we'll go to the wedding planner and talk to her about that."

"Of course but okay...vows...Are we doing traditional or writing our own?" She asked earnestly. She did like the old standby of the traditional vows that so many millions of couples had used in their own weddings.

Nick thought a moment, wondering about her question. On the one hand there was the traditional vows, quick easy and definitely a  practical choice. But on the contrary there was the more creative aspect of writing their own vows. A true expression of their comittment to each other in their own words. Then again he'd been to weddings where couples had written their own vows and they'd been corny, sappy or down right cheesy. "That's a good question...I mean writing our own would be cool but I don't want it to sound like some sappy supermarket romance novel."

"Well I was looking online and there can be ways around it. Like we write a brief vow to each other and you know keep it short and simple. I definitely don't want it to be corny either. Another thing if we do traditional vows I found a variation that is different than the normal ‘til-death-do-us-part' stuff."

"Or we could even do a combination of that. Like have certain vows we want to say then the classical vows or variation to it after." He reasoned back as he pulled his knees up planting his feet on the blanket as he lounged against the tree. He wanted to show her that they could even do both if they couldn't really decide on one or the other.

Alyssa sighed nodding in agreement it wasn't like they didn't have time to really consider all their options but she figured nailing down the details most people forgot about would lessen the stress of last minute rushing. She moved over to him sliding between his legs and reclining back against his torso. He wrapped his arms around her resting on the waist of her jeans his fingers fiddling with her empty belt loops absently. "Can you believe it though...we're actually getting married?"

Nick grinned and sighed happily. "It's about damn time don't you think?"

Alyssa chuckled and nodded bringing her hands to rest over his. "And I haven't even thought about what I want for a dress even or really what type of suit to put you in." She remarked realizing that it was getting down to crunch time to make all their plans because if they didn't they'd be rushing and far too stressed to really enjoy the few months they had left to lead up to the wedding.

"Yeah I know but we have time to decide on it. Where do you want to go on the honeymoon since we might be taking a break like a couple weeks after the wedding for like a month or so?"

Alyssa shrugged and sighed, "Surprise me the honeymoon is your deal." She remarked handing over the reigns to him.

He smiled and nodded, "I can definitely do that..." He replied as they continued to relax underneath the large willow tree.

 

 

 

Quotes from Jane Austen's Persuasion Chapter Eight 

End Notes:
Thanks for reading everyone!
Chapter 29: Touring Package by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay an update! Been doing lots of stuff lately, and cowriting with Mel...*evillest of evil grins* Oh yeah baby that's gonna be interesting. I reworked my outline and the story ends around chapter 49 so only 20 more chapters!! But you won't have to wait 20 chapters until the wedding, that is coming up...SOON! Enjoy and I can't wait to hear from all of you!
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Touring Package

****************************************
Alyssa Narrating:

Holy God my mother has a lot of stuff. I never really realized growing up how much stuff we really ever had in the house at one time. And now helping her move? Yikes I'm glad I had my siblings and Nick there to help. Without them I doubt I would have been able to do it. I do have to admit it was a hell of a good time. And I learned that both myself, Clark and Olivia are very type A personalities. We set up an assembly line of sorts. Nick would bring up a pile of stuff. Mary and Olivia would sort and wrap with bubble wrap (which do not allow Clark or myself to touch because we start popping it and before long the whole roll is deflated) and then I would take and box it and label the box then Clark would take it out to the garage to be loaded onto  the truck.

It took everyone about 4 hours to pack the entire house. We took about 8 hours though, just taking a break here and there for Lori to make lunch for us and for all of us to sit around and reminisce a bit about the house. Mom thought it was great that all of us had come out. Her children and their significant others. She even got a little misty once we finished packing and sat around the empty living room eating Chinese food on the floor.

It was really nice to just sit there and see my siblings interact with their loved ones. Olivia and Angela's constant glow about being pregnant. To see Clark really show how much he loves Lori not through words but just by his own body language and how he smiles at her and Jamie with such pride and adoration. It's rather endearing to see them so happy and then to see Mom, watch them, she gets this happy look on her face but you can tell she's a little sad that Dad isn't there to witness it with her.

I think that's why she's a little happy about the move. Being just an hour or so away from Olivia and then once Nick and I move up to Monterey we'll be just about an hour from her as well. It'll definitely make the whole living alone thing much easier on her. Especially when Nick and I start a family and Olivia and Angela have their baby.  It will be nice to have her closer to home even though I have had my issues with her giving up my childhood home. But I've realized that it's for the best and I was able to feel okay about her moving.

Nick and I continued to help her once everyone else had gone back to his or her jobs. The moving company drove the large truck that carried all the furniture and major boxes to her new home and we drove her and all her clothes and personal effects with us. It was nice taking a road trip with my mom and my fiancé. Nick seemed to really enjoy it, he and Mom got some time to bond.

Funny thing was, is that it was Nick's idea. We'd flown out to Scottsdale instead of driving this time, at the time I didn't really think anything of it. But I guess that was his plan all along to help my Mom out. She definitely appreciated the help from all of us just for helping her pack up the house in the first place. But then for Nick to offer to help drive her out to Palo Alto was a nice touch as well.

I think partially he wanted an excuse to see our house. The main frame of the buildings are up, the house and guesthouse, the main foundations and the beginnings of the plumbing. We got a chance to walk around it a little, and talk to the foreman. It's amazing to just visualize where I'm going to put the piano, the bookcases, all our furniture and pictures. You wouldn't think that you could get such a clear mental image of things from just the barebones framework of the home but really it's going to be amazing once it's completed.

Things are happening so rapidly now, our house is being built, our wedding is getting underway, and hell my own best friend is becoming a mom. I'll admit I'm a little envious of Kellie and AJ to be at that stage in their pregnancy where life is just rolling along. She hates being as big as a house as she calls it. But she's really not all that big, just a little rounder. It's exciting though, to see her transform and really begin to fully feel the emotional weight of becoming a mom, even though her son isn't here yet.

And come to think that she's due in April, right before the wedding in May. I know it sounds wrong but I'm happy that we planned it that way, she'll at least be happy about fitting into her bridesmaid dress by then.  It's nice to see Alex and her so happy and settled, their elopement was a perfect idea for them. A real wedding like Nick's and mine where it would be set in advance and planned would allow them both to get antsy, cold feet and probably break it off before it even happens.

So much is going on this year already and it's only almost the end of January. Which speaking of January, Nick's birthday is tomorrow. Is it bad that I'm out shopping for his present right now?

I know, I know I'm a horrible fiancée, but come on I've been a little busy so I'm getting very small presents for him this year, besides he'll get a better gift at Valentine's Day and our wedding so I think this won't make a hill of beans difference. Now to decide whether or not to buy him some clothes or something. It's really gotten to a point into our relationship where I have no fucking clue what to get him for his birthday. Normally it's just something small, sentimental you know? But even I have no idea what to get him anymore.

Oh well I guess I have about 12 hours to figure that out.

End Narration.
*************************************

Alyssa grinned as she quietly snuck into the master bedroom seeing that Nick was still quite sound asleep, on his stomach, his bare back showing in stark contrast against the white sheets. She placed the large food tray down on its legs near his side of the bed at the foot of it. She sat down next to him finding his feet poking out of the sheets. She ran her fingers lightly over the instep of his foot making it recoil at the ticklish sensation. She heard a low groan emanate from underneath his head and she smirked and trailed her fingers up the back of his calf making him turn to stop her from tickling him further.

"It's too early..." He growled wanting more sleep, having been jet lagged and thoroughly exhausted from not only the trip to Hawaii the week before but also that tour rehearsals had begun just a few days before. His eyes adjusted and he looked at her seeing the short yet slightly loose pewter silk blouse that was strategically buttoned to show off the black lace bra and matching underwear. "Well...to what do I owe this wake up call?" He asked sleepily smiling at her.

"Silly boy...doesn't even remember his own birthday..." She mused with a coy grin. She stood up and brought the food closer. "I figured good old fashioned breakfast in bed would make you feel better from all that rehearsing."

Nick grinned and sat up not bothering with moving the sheet since he was black boxer briefs. Alyssa snickered at him and pulled up the portion on the tray that could disconnect and be used on a bed. Nick looked at the food and smiled seeing all of his favorite things, egg white omelets with bacon, toast and of course a heaping bowl full of cookie crisp cereal dry with no milk added. "I love you." He said taking her arm and pulling her around the tray to sit next to him. "Share with me? I don't think I could eat all of this stuff."

Alyssa smiled and nestled herself next to him as they munched on the food she'd prepared for them. "So how's it feel to be 28?" She asked as she took a long drink of her orange juice.

He shrugged, "I don't know, don't feel any different. What do you think of me being almost 30?"

Alyssa giggled and nipped at his jaw line after setting down her glass. "Twenty-eight is not almost 30 and still even at 50 I'm pretty sure I'm still going to want to fuck you." She replied in between nibbles.

"Even at 50?" He said giving her a look. "That's 22 years away..."

"And your point?" She said holding up her left hand, "I may remind you that you're marrying me, hence I'll see you when you're 50."

Nick chuckled and thought a moment, "Weird to think that you'll be 46 when I'm 50."

"Yes and in my sexual prime so you better still be able to get it up or have a very good supply of Viagra." She retorted making him laugh heartily at her comment. "Besides in 22 years, we should have either teenagers or kids off at college hence we'll be alone for much of the day."

"Put much thought into this have you?" He asked smiling at her.

Alyssa shrugged, "I've been thinking about it and sometime after we get married, meaning within the first couple of years...I'd like to you know...try to start a family...again...if it's okay with you." She said rambling her thoughts.

Nick pulled her to him and kissed her temple. "Okay...I agree we should start after the wedding, whenever is your call since it's your body, I get to do the fun part then it's all you for 9 months."

She smiled and nodded, "Okay...so any plans for the day?"

"Aside from spending my morning with you? I have rehearsals then the guys are throwing a little shindig for me tonight at Oceana, you know the restaurant I invested in."

Alyssa smirked, "Ah so it's not to see your little harlot?" She replied dryly her voice dripping in sarcasm in reference to Emma.

Nick swung his arm snapping his fingers, "Damnit I was hoping to bring her home tonight...you know a new plaything for you." He shot back mimicking her sarcasm.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and sighed, "Okay, so when do you want your birthday nookie, this morning or tonight after the party."

"Can't it be both?" He asked keeping a completely straight face. "In all seriousness, I just want to hang with you right now, I mean yeah sex is awesome don't get me wrong but talking to you is even better sometimes." He admitted blushing profusely at his own honesty. He watched her face change from a sexy smirk to a look of complete adoration and it only served to encourage his embarrassment.

"Aww...Nick...I'm totally telling everyone you'd rather cuddle and talk then fuck me." She teased making him huff and turn even redder. She giggled and turned him to look at her. "I'm only kidding. I think it's really nice you like talking to me. Don't get me wrong I love sex too but this is nice...this whole open communication thing we have going. I really think we owe it to therapy for getting us to this place."

"Speaking of we're going again before the tour right?"

Alyssa nodded, "Yeah I just want to ask some questions on how to keep this going with all the stress we have going on. I mean last year at this time I was beginning to figure out I was pregnant with Noah and our world kind of crumbled after that and I don't ever want to get to that place again." She answered honestly resting her head on his shoulder.

He smiled and sighed, "I agree, definitely don't want this good streak we have going to end. So..." He began with a grin.

Alyssa gave him a strange nod and giggled, "So...what?"

"No presents?" He asked looking like a little boy on Christmas morning. She giggled loudly at him and pressed her lips to his silencing his question for the moment. He grinned into the kiss bringing his hands up to cup her jaw tracing the rigid bone up to the hinge. She shuddered and felt his tongue lick around her bottom lip sucking it into his mouth slightly. Their breakfast more than half eaten and forgotten on the tray Alyssa moved to straddle his hips sitting on his lap as his hands brushed her hair over her shoulders then drifted down the front of her to the few buttons that were done on the blouse. He made quick work of it shedding if from her shoulders and trailing his fingers up her now bare arms loving the smooth feel of her skin better than the slippery silk.

Nick stretched out his legs inadvertently sending the tray off the bed and onto the floor with a loud crash making them stop and look at each other then glance to the mess on the floor. Alyssa bit her bottom lip as her body shook with laughter. "I can't take you anywhere can I?" She replied letting her hands slide up to his neck gently grazing her nails against the nape. He grinned and felt her scoot closer to him grinding their hips together making him tense slightly.

"Shouldn't we clean that up? It'll stain the carpet..." He asked knowing that she wanted to take this much farther. It wasn't that he didn't want to or even that he was concerned about the inevitable stain on the carpet from the orange juice they'd kicked over.

Alyssa smiled and raised up on her knees slightly bringing her face up over his. "You think too much..."  She replied placing her lips upon his once more. His hands wrapped around her waist sliding up her sides to the lace material of her bra. She sighed feeling his hands run over her chest and at that moment she broke the kiss momentarily, "Happy birthday lover..." She said keeping her voice soft and low barely above a whisper.

Nick backed away as she moved forward to kiss him again. "Couldn't think of what to get me huh?" He said with a knowing smirk.

Alyssa sat back with a glance at him shocked he'd figured her out so easily. "That's not true, I did get you presents..."

"Uh huh...I'm beginning to think the lingerie is somehow supposed to be my present." He joked back.

She giggled and smacked his arm, "And if it is, is that so bad?" She asked.

Nick shrugged, "No...unless you want me to wear it then I think we might have a bit of a problem..." He replied increasing his snarky tone.

Alyssa giggled and retorted, "Damnit...I thought you'd be into that." She arched an eyebrow at him then finally moved away going over and picking up the tray as he grabbed a few towels from the bathroom. Thankfully not much of the orange juice had fallen onto the carpet and was being soaked up by the towel. "Anyways I do have a few presents for you, I figured though you might like a little eye candy with your breakfast is all."

Nick smirked and placed the tray and broken dish and all the remaining crumbs of food onto the tray before pulling her to him. "I know and it's one of the reasons why I love you. You always try to be the fantasy girl and I know it's because you have some messed up notion in your head that I expect it but believe me it's not an expectation."

Alyssa grinned looked at the ground picking up the soaked towels and going into the bathroom unsure of how to respond to him.

Later that day...

"Happy birthday bro..." AJ said with a wide grin. "How's it feel to be in your late twenties?"

Nick laughed and smiled sighing a bit, "Not much different than last year. Except I'm in such a better place now...with everything, the band, my entire life. I mean granted things aren't completely perfect. Alyssa and I still have things we want to work on before the wedding."

"Wait you two are still going to therapy?" AJ asked still a little shocked that even though they seemed to be doing so well that there were still some issues to work through.

Nick chuckled, "Yeah man, we're not perfect. There's some things we're still working on. Nothing extremely major but we're working it out. Like she's still got some insecurities I'm trying to get to the bottom of. And hell I've still got some too."

"Well isn't that about being human though? Hell I'm scared shitless about being a dad and my kid isn't even here yet. But she has insecurities? She's always so confident especially now since therapy. I mean there's still what happened last year and all."

Nick sighed and leaned his head back against the wall they were sitting against. He gathered his thoughts, looking around the dance hall seeing his reflection across the way from them. "She tries to be this fantasy girl. Like the type of woman who wouldn't say no sort of thing to any idea sexually. And I mean its great that she wants to be open to any ideas and all that but I think she's trying to hide something. Some insecurity about herself and our relationship that I'm determined to get to the bottom of." He explained. It was true that even though they had grown exponentially closer in intimacy that no matter how close they got, she always kept an air of confidence in the bedroom that had him curious as to why she felt the need to do so.

Just then Howie and Brian slid down the wall next to them catching the tail end of their conversation. "Trouble at home?" Brian asked concerned for him.

"Oh nothing major...just little stuff I'm working on with Ali."

"Yeah he thinks it's weird that she will do anything he wants sexually." AJ scoffed making light of Nick's situation.

Howie gave Nick a look and felt his forehead with the back of his hand, "Well he doesn't seem to have a fever..." He said jokingly as Nick swat at his hands. He laughed and watched as Nick shook his head at the three men laughing at him.

Brian chuckled and shook his head and Howie grinned patting Nick's knee, "Dude seriously that's supposed to be a good thing."

"Exactly, a green light in the bedroom what every guy hopes for so what's the problem?" Howie added.

Nick shook his head and laughed, "Not like that, I mean she's always had trouble showing her emotions, being vulnerable around me and all. I think it's just her old habit not wanting to go away."

"What do you not like it?" Howie asked trying to route out the reason as to why Nick was complaining.

Nick sighed, "No I love that she's open like that and that she can be confident. But I don't want it to be a false confidence, I want her to be able to tell me when she feels like shit about herself and be okay with it and own it. I mean I tell her stuff like this all the time and she has a real problem with owning up to me."

Brian chewed on his lip for a moment before speaking, "Well maybe she's thinking that she's not good enough for you, and that by being the fantasy that you'll never get bored and hurt her...or she's completely psychotic." He joked.

"But she knows I won't cheat on her. I mean hell I had Emma fucking throwing herself at me months ago and did I buckle? No I didn't...and that was when we were at a very low point in our relationship, if I'm not going to cheat then what makes her think that I'm going to cheat now when we're so good?" He asked countering their argument.

He thought of the year before and how much this conversation mirrored his own sentiments from then. In their quest for intimacy he realized that she had certain physical actions that were definite clues to the emotional angst beneath the surface. He noticed lately that she fussed over her appearance when they would be going out especially if the chance of them being photographed was higher than normal. Now while he knew that it could be just her own insecurity of not being the typical Hollywood girlfriend, still the simple fact that she was hiding it from him scared him. They hadn't been through months of therapy and emotional upheaval to revert back to their bad habits had they?

"What insecurities though aside from not being good enough do you think it is? Is she behaving differently?" Brian asked.

"It's mostly just little things. Like she's all of a sudden self conscious of her body and her looks and then I know she's not having an easy go of it at work. A lot of the faculty underneath her don't like her because she's a stickler and is like the golden child of the department because she's so young."

"Well fuck them. Sorry but I don't think she has anything to be insecure about, she's beautiful and smart not a lot of women can say they have physical looks with real substance too." Brian reasoned back.

"I agree, I get she's got insecurities but she's gotta get past that and see that she's stronger than petty shit that people sling at her."

AJ shrugged in agreement, "I totally understand where you're coming from though man. Keel's got the same sort of issues too. I think it comes with being a normal person dating someone in the industry or in my case married into it. It's a whole new can of worms and it's hard to deal with even years into a relationship. Also, she's a woman Carter, sometimes their emotions and fears lack any rational logic remember? Just talk to her about it and it'll be ok."

"Yeah I hope so..." Nick said standing as they all got up again ready to start rehearsal from their short break.

Late that night...


Nick sighed as he looked up at the ceiling breathing heavily as he slowly regained control of his breathing. He smiled as he looked over at Alyssa who was doing the same as he was just a moment before both of them laying in silence the only sounds in the room came from their breathing. He watched as Alyssa closed her eyes and smiled contentedly then turned to face him. "Good birthday?" She asked her green eyes returning to their normal color different from the light green they were just moments before.

"Great birthday...but you know...I still haven't gotten my present from you..." He said tracing circles on her abdomen. "Unless this was the present then..." He trailed off being stopped by her lips against his.

She broke the kiss and smirked at him, "Of course I got you something..." She replied then turned to the nightstand.

Nick watched her pull out a few books. "What no wrapping paper?" He asked with a grin making Alyssa smirk and laugh at him. He took the books from her and looked at the first one with a grin. It was a book on Samurai history in Japan, the next was a copy of 101 Greatest Honeymoon spots. "Care to explain this one?" He asked with  perplexed grin.

She sighed and grinned back. "I know this may come as a shock to you but I am actually releasing SOME control over to you for our wedding." Nick's eyebrows raised in recognition but he kept silent waiting for her to finish her explanation. "I want you to plan our honeymoon. Anywhere you want to go, we'll go. I figured that the book would help give you some ideas about plans and such."

He grinned again and kissed her sweetly on the mouth. "Thank you...ok onto the third book...Oooh Shakespeare." He replied chuckling like a little kid. He looked at the book seeing a book of sonnets.

"Turn to sonnet 148." She instructed with a knowing smile.

He flipped the pages seeing her handwriting gracing various pages making footnotes here and there. He found the sonnet she'd asked him to find and read it coming across line 12 seeing her notes next to it in blue ink.

The sun itself sees not ‘till Heaven clears -how you make me feel...

"What do you mean by this?" He asked wanting to know what she meant behind the prose and her own cryptic statement. He figured it had to be something relatively good since after all it was his birthday.

She took a breath and read what she wrote reacquainting herself with the words. "The line, the sun itself sees not till heaven clears, it has a ton of meanings to it. But the one I've always got from it is that the sun represents light and reason and the clouds in Heaven mean that logic and reason are blocked. And Heaven is generally thought to be bliss, happiness or even love. So basically it says that love clouds all logic and reason from your mind while in its presence and doesn't return until the object of your affections has left."

He gave her a sideways glance processing her words, "So...I cloud your judgment?" He asked thinking he got the right understanding that she was getting at.

She nodded, "In a lot of ways. Just I feel different when I'm around you. I almost can't describe it but it's just a little unnerving sometimes. A few years ago I would have smacked myself for being so into a relationship like I am with you. I mean I love having some independence from us sometimes don't get me wrong if I didn't have time to spend with my girls or at least go off on my own every once in a while I'd go crazy but I find myself just wanting to be with you all the time."

Nick tossed the books to the side of them and pulled her to him kissing her deeply. She smiled into the kiss breaking away from it. "I feel like that a lot too. It's hard to describe sometimes. And yeah I'll agree it definitely takes some getting used to. A few years ago you tried to give me Hamlet for my birthday - remember my reaction?"

"Yes you were like oh come onnnnn you expect me to read?" She replied mimicking his trademark whine exaggerating it quite extensively. He laughed and chucked his pillow at her smacking her in the torso.

Alyssa giggled and chucked the pillow back and went to punch his shoulder. He grabbed her wrist mid-punch and turned her around to lay against him as his arms wrapped around her waist. "But still even though I was set in my ways back then, I'm glad I had you to try to get me to consider new things like that."

"We seem to have that effect on each other..."

A few days later...


"So how was your holiday?" Dr. Pinksy asked looking at the couple seated on the sofa across from him.

Alyssa grinned at him and sighed, "Pretty good, a lot of stuff going on. My mom's moving out here to California. It was a little shocking but I'm actually kind of happy about it now knowing that she'll be closer by."

"It was nice to just be with my family. My siblings and as weird as this sounds my future in-laws." He said with a snicker threatening to break from his throat.

"Good all good. How have things been? Communication wise? Sexually and such."

"Communication has been pretty phenomenal I think the sex has been too. It just feels like we're being a lot more open with each other. I know there's still things we need to work on but at least we've gotten to this point right?" Alyssa replied asking a question of her own.

Dr. Pinsky smiled over his thick glasses and nodded. "So lets begin to focus on those. Are there any issues that you want to work on while on tour?"

Alyssa chewed her lip, "I guess for me really jus working on our communication for the most part expanding it a little."

"Anything specific?"

At that moment Nick decided to speak. "I have something specific I guess." He said diverting the conversation over to them. He tried to think of the best way to put it out onto the table for them. He looked at Alyssa glancing to his hands then back to her face as he began to speak. "Please don't take an offense to this but I know you like being what you think is the fantasy girl or something but sometimes I just want you."

Alyssa gave him a look and her brow furrowed in confusion, "But I am me...being that is part of me."

Nick shrugged, "Sometimes I think it's a wall. To keep me from seeing you from being vulnerable."

"You do that too though, might I remind you that you were all skittish when your knees were sore because you were ‘vulnerable'." She replied countering his argument.

He nodded in agreement, "Exactly, its something we're both terribly bad at. I mean look at our past relationships with other people. Did we really ever let them see us vulnerable? If we did it was only because they hurt us or scared either of us in some way."

"How can we fix that I mean isn't everyone a little skittish when it comes to this sort of thing?" She asked finally turning her attention back to Dr. Pinsky who was taking notes and grinning amusedly at them.

"Well a great way is to call each other out when you see it. For instance Nick when do you think Alyssa hides her own insecurities the most?"

"In the bedroom honestly...Don't get me wrong I love that we have the connection that we do, but it lets me see that sometimes..." He said looking at where their hands were joined and then up to her "Sometimes I think you try to be more on the adventurous side to get it over with."

"What?" She asked incredulously. "Get it over with? Why...?"

"Nashville..." He said making her face lose a little bit of color. "Yeah, you kept wanting me to speed things up...why? Was it just because you wanted to or that being that close scares the fuck out of you?"

Alyssa sat back for a moment and thought, "A little of both I think. I mean you have no idea what its like for me. I've only been with you, Brandon not withstanding. I mean I've had relationships before but nothing that ever got to be this serious, let alone having sex and living together...on top of getting married. I know I told you that I'm scared, and I am. I'm sorry if it comes out like that sometimes but I think it's just my own anxieties and neuroses coming in to fuck with my head."

"Well Alyssa, as we've talked about it's all right to falter with your own insecurities. I think now that you've realized that things aren't going to be perfect that you can understand what you both need in each other. It's rather interesting to see how you both really have the same insecurities, about each other, your careers and your future together."

"And that would be?" Nick asked he knew what he thought of his own insecurities as far as what they were discussing but could they really be the same for her?

The good doctor grinned and set down his notes for a moment, "You both fear you aren't enough for the other." He said making them both sober in expression and stare at him intensely. "Alyssa you're afraid that if you really let him see how vulnerable you can be that he'll eventually screw you over. Your experience also plays a major part in your fear. You've been with two men in your life, one that meant nothing  to you and the other you've given yourself to in countless ways. And it scares you that you've wanted to do that...to let someone have all of you is really a hard thing to accomplish or even really accept." He explained making Alyssa nod in agreement to his words. "And Nick, you see her accomplishments, her intellect and you feel intimidated by them both because of your less than traditional upbringing. You've told me more than once that you think one day she'll wise up and find someone better suited for her. You discredit your own intelligence because she has a more traditional intellect than yours. Secondly, you're afraid that your abundant experience with women will hurt your relationship. You know she still has a fear that you'll grow bored and cheat on her. You know you won't do it in the end and the fact that you resisted temptation in it's purest form is something to be said of how much you value your relationship with her. But really..." He paused taking a moment to breathe. "You compliment each other. Your lives were different growing up but it makes you appreciate the good that you had in that time. Nick you had the opportunity to follow your passion and Alyssa you had the loving support of very close-knit family. Getting Nick involved with your family during your friendship was the first step towards this stage in your relationship, and conversely taking her on tour with you back in 2003 allowed you to share your passion with her in a way she had before that time not been privy to. I really believe you two are beginning to realize that your friendship was no coincidence and that all it did was further solidify who you are to each other."

Alyssa and Nick glanced at each other only being able to meet their eyes for a moment before the intensity and brevity of the comments that Dr. Pinsky just made. "So what now?" Alyssa asked wondering what more they could do to get over the hump of their mutual insecurities.

"Well Alyssa, like you said, you want to work on your communication to keep it going and make it stronger. Then do that, when you're feeling insecure tell each other. I know it sounds like I'm telling you to whine about your fears and such but there's a way to do it maturely and the way you two are talking to each other, in here together and separated I really think you get that depth of maturity needed to have that conversation."


Chapter 30: Shakespeare In Love by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter! Lol sorry for the delay I've been so busy with school and such it's been hard to write! Anyways the next few chapters should go by quickly because the wedding is coming...very very soon!! Hope you all enjoy and thank you for all the wonderful feedback!
Chapter Thirty: Shakespeare In Love

"So what are you two doing for V-day?" Kellie asked as the girls perused the stacks at a local bookstore that thankfully was in walking distance of the hotel. Since Kellie had gotten farther along in her pregnancy her affinity for physical movement became less and less.

"Not too much, dinner, maybe dancing, then back to the hotel for presents and probably sex." Alyssa replied smiling a little as they approached the greeting card section of the store.

"What are you getting him?"

"Well we decided to do little things this year, small gifts under ten dollars. So I'm getting him a card and guitar picks."

"Ooh I'm sure he'll like that a lot." Kellie cooed as she chewed on a licorice whip. "I'm getting Alex a card and a book of gothic poetry. He's really into it so I figured it'd be sweet to get it for him."

Alyssa grinned happily at her friend, "And to think it's your first Valentine's Day as a married woman!"

Kellie grinned in response, "You'll be right there with me in a few months." She replied seeing Alyssa's back straighten slightly at the mention of the looming nuptials. "Are you getting cold feet?"

"Huh? Oh no.... Just crazy nervous about it. I want it to be fun and relaxing but I haven't even picked out my dress, the girls dresses. I think Nick and I decided at least to do traditional vows but have original ones written and given to each other before the ceremony. And we decided that we're going to have siblings as best man and matron of honor. Neither of us could decide on any of our friends so we decided instead of pissing people off that we would just go with two of the closest people to us."

"Have you told Ollie yet?"

"No I'm going to call her and ask her soon. I wish I could ask her in person but being half the world away and her wife is pregnant wouldn't be a good idea for Ollie to travel all this way. I could just show up on her doorstep though."

"What about Aaron, he'll be over the moon about planning a bachelor party for Nick."

"Oh I know. Nick called him up and told him and dude he shrieked! I thought it was just out of shock that Nick asked him to be his best man. But I think it's also because he really is turning his life around so he's excited for Nick to trust him with that much responsibility."

"So what about the bridesmaids and groomsmen?" She asked wondering and maybe even really hoping she'd be in that list.

"You're first Bridesmaid my dear so chill. Then Lori and then Leslie. I'd put all of Nick's sisters in but we want a small wedding party. And Nick's got Chris, Brent and Andrew. He was really torn on putting any of the guys in but he decided against it or else he would have put all of them in the party and then it'd just be too much to handle for us. We want our wedding to be fun and relaxing and not all crazy stressful. Mindy our wedding planner has been an absolute gem."

"Have you thought of what dress you want? I mean hell you and I can do some pre-shopping perusing to figure out the style you want to make it easier for when you want to go buy it."

Alyssa shrugged as she picked up a simple card that had a multicolored heart on it with the word "Always" underneath it. She opened the card and smiled at the saying...

For the one who always holds my heart... Happy Valentine's Day.

"Now that's a card." She muttered taking it along with the envelope to give to Nick. "Anyways, yeah I think that's a good idea. My mom's coming out in a month and she wanted to shop then so I think we could do a little pre-shopping. I really don't want to drag my mother around for hours on end only to have us not find the dress."

"Well...Valentine's day presents are already done, so let's go check out some dresses." Kellie suggested grinning widely.

Alyssa smiled back at her and shrugged as they made their purchases, "You know..." She began as they made their way to the door. "I never thought I'd be actually excited to go dress shopping...ever." She remarked making them both burst out into a fit of giggles.

***************************************
Nick Narrating:

Ugh...Now I remember why I hated when we were managed by the Firm. Endless upon endless meetings. Jeff and Tim, I swear I realize now why I never missed them as our managers. At least Johnny and Ken knew when we'd had enough. These two? Total machines...I swear under their skin they're all Terminator'd out just to drive us into insanity.

Okay, okay so I'm really exaggerating here, but it's Valentine's Day for Christ's sake. I realize our first Japan date is well in two days. But we've played small little venues for two solid weeks getting back into the swing of touring. But we're back to playing the Tokyo Dome and these idiots are acting like we've never played there before.

It's times like these that I do let my mind wander in the middle of meetings. Like right now I'm letting my mind drift off to my fiancée.

I know she's out with Kellie, probably doing some last minute shopping for Valentine's Day. I on the other hand already got her present, ages ago. Okay not exactly ages but like four days ago. It's simple really and according to her it's within our little price range (actually thanks to Lori it was free). That and I also bought some sour gummy worms this morning, her personal favorite candy next to pixie sticks. No idea why she likes them so much but apparently she liked them as a kid and doesn't eat them very often.

The gift is really simple. It's just a picture really. I had to hunt Lori down though and have her ship it to me though. It's a picture from her 21st birthday....our kiss on her birthday at the club. It's slightly fuzzy but you can tell that it's us. Sentimental I know but I think that was the first and last time she and I have ever really had sex. Sounds a little nuts but it's true. It's the only time she was really ever just herself. The real Alyssa, the one that made me fall for her. And tonight I'm kind of hoping to get that back.

I mean I know why she does it, I get it really. She thinks that if she's all-confident then she'll be able to keep me interested. But she's finally beginning to see that I don't care if she's all confident or vulnerable or whatever. She's Ali, and that's always been enough for me. Whether or not my actions may have contradicted that or just reaffirmed it because I was trying to deny the truth to myself for so fucking long. I think that's why I get Olivia so much. For years she fought like hell to prove to herself that she was more interested in guys. And it just kept reconfirming with every failed relationship and lack luster hook up that she was really only kidding herself. And that's how I feel about my life before Alyssa and I got together. Honestly I can't believe how much I had myself convinced that she'd never feel anything for me. Looking back you can see she was flirting like hell at certain points but at the time I was taking it as friendly teasing and banter.

Maybe because I ignored those advances for so long that makes Alyssa think she has to be this different person. I mean she's not all that different. It's still Ali and still a major piece of her personality. Just sometimes it seems to overshadow the other complexities to her character that I love so much.

I mean is it wrong to want that?  

I'm worried though, that as our wedding approaches that we're going to find less and less time to be together and this whole thing is just going to evolve into something that isn't even about us anymore. It's a logical fear and Alyssa knows it. I've told her that I don't want it to become something we're not. Thankfully she agrees. Hell we even nailed down a guest list and everything. Now all the minute details are coming into the picture. Clothing, food, the fucking right shade of white for the invitations, which that just annoys the crap out of me when she can't decide on stuff like that.

She's a Libra I know and is a classic one at that, extremely indecisive when the decision is important to her. But come on the difference between Ivory and Bone? Ugh...certain things about this wedding I really wish I had no say in whatsoever. Honestly we could buy invitations from the Hallmark store or make them on the computer and I wouldn't care.

I know, I know I sound like one of those asshole guys in the movies where the cute girl is marrying the total douche right? But really it's not that I don't care about what the invitations look like. Little details like that don't matter to me. All I care about is getting her and I married come mid-May.

So I guess if I have to put up with more analyzing on what would look better with what then I'll do it. But it doesn't mean I have to like it.

End Narration.
******************************************

"Dear God, I cannot believe you remember that!" Alyssa exclaimed wiping the corners of her eyes that had teared up due to immense laughter. Suddenly she was happy that she and Nick had ran into AJ and Kellie on their way out of the hotel and decided to double for the evening.

"Oh yeah, do you remember how pissed off my grandmother was? Not to mention your parents that we snuck out to see a Metallica concert at the ripe old age of 15." Kellie replied making Alyssa snort.

"We didn't sneak out, we just slipped out unnoticed. Honestly I thought I was going to be grounded forever." Alyssa snickered back. "Dad even threatened to not let me go see you at the concert just after my birthday that year."

"Which totally would have sucked ass, that concert was awesome. Besides getting to finally meet the infamous Nick we'd heard so much about for three and a half years was the best part next to well the ladders." Kellie openly admitted making AJ laugh and pat her knee as Alyssa and Nick exchanged a quick glance smiling at each other.

"At least I didn't squeal like a teenie every time Alex came over to our side of the stage." Alyssa shot back making Kellie's face flush red.

AJ looked at his wife and grinned, "Really?" He asked not even looking at Alyssa but that was where his question was directed.

Alyssa smiled, "Oh yeah girl had it bad even back then."

"Hey I wasn't the only one who had it bad. Seriously she's been all Nick this and Nick that since she was a preteen." Kellie snarkily replied.

Alyssa sighed and shrugged, "I've succumbed to it what can I say." She said looking down at her dress fixing the hem on her legs unconsciously.

Nick noticed it but chose not to say anything for the moment and turned to Kellie with a grin. "So tell me is married life any different than living together?" He asked earnestly. He wondered what married life would do to them individually and as a couple. He'd heard stories from Brian and Kevin of dry spells in the romance department, which would lead to a little bit of tension between them and their respective wives within the first couple of years of marriage. However they'd already gone through things much the same that had almost torn them apart and they'd survived haven't they?

Kellie beamed at AJ and he grinned widely back placing a hand on her stomach. "Seriously best thing ever." AJ replied.

She chuckled and patted his hand, "Not everyday is paradise but I like it so far. We're happy. Right babe?"

"Most definitely. It's really different though but not at the same time. But I definitely love knowing she's got my last name. Seeing that on paper is just insanity but a good insanity." He said noticing the range of amused confusion displayed on their faces. He turned to Kellie and laced their fingers. "I'm not very good at this am I?"

Kellie squeezed his hand reassuringly. "He means that it's like your birthday in a way. You know something's definitely different but at the same time it doesn't really feel different other than the obvious change in names, titles and such. I mean I still feel like we're dating in a way just in a much more committed relationship than we were."

Alyssa nodded, "Yeah, earlier today was really weird in that respect."

"What do you mean?" Nick asked.

"We did a little wedding dress pre-shopping." Kellie interjected making Alyssa smirk. "And I took pictures."

"Can I see?" Nick asked hoping that since they hadn't found the dress she wanted that they'd be inclined to show him what she didn't want. Kellie glanced at Alyssa questioningly and then handed the cell phone over to him once Alyssa had smiled and nodded. He took the phone looking at the first picture seeing a rather ornately beaded and very poofy princess dress on his fiancée. Even though his personal taste didn't really like the dress just the fact of seeing her in a white wedding dress made his breath catch in his throat. "Whoa..." He said lowly his voice cracking.

Alyssa gave him a look and then leaned over and rolled her eyes, "Pretty I know, but I couldn't walk in it so definitely nix'ed that idea right there. It's like 40 pounds of chiffon in that damn thing." She remarked making Nick snicker and Kellie roll her eyes.

"At least you get to have a nice wedding dress. I had a maternity cocktail dress for mine." Kellie reminded.

Alyssa giggled and watched as Nick clicked to the next picture, a simple off-white silk sheath dress that was as classy as it was sexy. He grinned at the picture and showed her, "And what about this one?"

"To simple. It felt more like lingerie than an actual dress." She sighed as Nick handed back the phone to Kellie.

Nick smiled at her knowing that she already had an idea of what she wanted to look like on their wedding day. "Anything in particular?"

"Something flowy but not poofy. I know I'm totally not making any sense but Kellie gets what I mean. Mom is coming out to visit next month so I think it'll be good that she'll be here to help me out. It's a hard decision to make odd as that sounds."

"I'm sure you'll do fine."    

Later that evening...

Nick smiled over at her before pulling her to sit closer to him. "Thank you for the guitar picks. I'm going to use them at rehearsals. I won't at shows since I have a habit of throwing them." He remarked making her smile.

"Thank you for the picture, and the new composition book for my journal. How did you know I just ran out?"

"Because you usually run out every year and you started a new one last February so I figured it'd be a good time. That and I like reading the older ones, gives me a lot of insight into your head." He replied as he leaned the side of his jaw against her temple, feeling the small jolt of her pulse from the small vein there.

She sighed and relaxed against him just content to sit there for the rest of the night. However, it was Valentine's Day and she didn't have any intention of just sitting around. Starting agonizingly slow she moved in his embrace to where they were eye to eye. She studied his expression for a moment and told him she loved him before moving in to press her mouth against his. He brought his hand up to cradle her neck. Alyssa deepened the kiss and felt his hand tighten slightly on the back of her neck. His other hand moved from around her shoulders to her lower back over the skin that showed through the large opening in the nearly backless dress.

Feeling his own impatience grow he moved the hand at her neck down its curves to her shoulder and down over her arm until he reached her elbow bringing her arm up and placing her hand on his shoulder. Using the backs of his finger tips he trailed his hand back up her arm and then dropped to her ribs staying there over the dark material of her halter dress. Alyssa buried her fingers into his hair tugging gently as she  sucked on his bottom lip lightly.

He took her hips into his hands and began sliding her forward closer to him to where she was practically sitting on his lap. He felt her breathing quicken as their chests became pressed together. He knew it wouldn't be long before he was pushing her back on the bed and ripping that cute little black cocktail dress off of her. There was something he wanted to ask of her, knew what he wanted to have with her again but he needed to get it out before his desire overtook his logic and reason. Reluctantly he broke the kiss seeing her look at him questioningly, then without a word her face changed to a smirk and she stood before he spoke making it his turn to give her a questioning glance. She moved across the room and to the bathroom telling him to get comfortable as she disappeared into the bathroom.

Nick laid back on the bed for a moment his feet firmly planted on the floor and his hands over his face. How was he supposed to ask her what he wanted? True it was a big deal to him but maybe he'd say the wrong thing and end up hurting her in the process. He knew he definitely couldn't stand to see any pain on her face, not after all they'd been through. A few moments later he heard the door creak open and he sat up still on the edge of the bed seeing her in just her white silk kimono robe. He smiled at her as she stood between his knees. She leaned down to kiss him and he pulled away for a moment making her cock an eyebrow at him.

"What's the matter? Don't you want to open your present?" She asked flirtatiously.

He grinned and sighed placing his hands on her waist. "More than anything right now, but I have something to ask you..." He started seeing her nod for him to continue. "I've been thinking a lot lately about the whole, confidence in the bedroom thing and don't get me wrong I love it when you are...."

"But...?" She asked knowing that was going to be in there somewhere. She swallowed hard not knowing where he was going with this but she hoped it wasn't bad.

"But...I just want you. The real you, not some perfect version of yourself to impress me with."

Alyssa took a breath trying to process what he was saying. "But I am me. That is part of me...I want to be..."

"But you already are..." He interjected knowing she was going to say she wanted to be perfect for him, to be the quintessential dream girl that would do anything. "Even without all of that. You're it okay? I don't need to be impressed or anything like that you've already got me...hook line and sinker. So tonight...I just want you, my fiancée. Think you can handle being just you tonight?"

Alyssa smiled softly and nodded before leaning down capturing his mouth with hers. She broke the kiss and brought his hands to the ties that held the robe shut. He smirked up at her as he slowly untied it seeing her bare abdomen show through the still semi closed material. She met his surprised glance. "It's Valentine's day...didn't really think any of my lingerie was appropriate for tonight. And now that you want just me...well..." She said half chuckling and half serious.

He smiled and slipped the robe from her shoulders leaving her completely bare to him. She watched him study her suppressing the flush of embarrassment at his open stare. She studied his face as his eyes moved over her and his hands followed seeing the look of adoration so plainly present in his expression. Suddenly and without warning she felt a surge of confidence within her. She couldn't quite understand it but the mere fact of his words and how he was looking at her made her more at ease with herself and with him than she had ever felt before. Maybe she hadn't seen it through her own need to keep up a façade for him but whatever it was she was happy to see that he really did mean what he said.

He wrapped his arms around her waist twisting them around and laying her on the bed beneath him. Alyssa pouted at him slightly. "Hardly fair...you're not...."

He interrupted her whine kissing her deeply. He broke the kiss just mere moments later, "That can be fixed." He replied as he slipped off his shirt tossing it across the room as Alyssa reached for his pants unbuckling his belt before he pushed he hands away undoing them and moving away from her for a moment to kick them and his boxer briefs off his hips. He rolled back to her smiling as she wrapped her hands around his neck pulling him on top of her feeling him already painfully hard against the inside of her thigh. He smirked while he turned her face to the side kissing along her jaw line up to it's hinge then over to her ear. "I love you." He whispered quietly making her smile ad turn her head back to him.

"I love you too." She said mirroring his sentiment seeing his smile brighten even more. Alyssa closed her eyes and sighed as his trailed his mouth down her throat. She shivered feeling his hands trail lightly up her ribs tickling her unintentionally. Alyssa opened her eyes as his kissed his way down her body paying close attention to her collarbone, the curves of her chest to the tensing muscles in her stomach.

He leaned up on his elbows slightly leaning on one as he trailed his fingertips down the center of her  as she swallowed hard and her muscles trembled in anticipation. He leaned onto his side laying half on her and next to her as he moved his fingers over the lines of her hips, over the tops of her thighs to her knee. He moved his hand to the leg closest to him as she bent it up resting it against his hips. She raised up a little placing a couple of pillows behind her head to get more comfortable. He smiled at her and kissed the inside of her elbow while he moved his hand up her inner thigh grazing across her. Her body froze for a moment and Nick looked up to her face seeing her eyes at half mast yet looking down to where he'd touched her. He moved his hand on her again slipping his thumb around her clit making her tense and moan as her head fell back against the pillows.

He continued to move his fingers against her, within her as he watched how she reacted to every change in movement, every repetition with a sigh or breathy moan. Nick looked up her body slowly seeing the flush begin to creep across her as he sped up his fingers not at all surprised when she began thrusting her hips back against his hand while her  own hands, one clutching the comforter so hard her knuckles were pure white and the other went to the hand buried between her legs gliding over his wrist gripping it and guiding it just how she wanted. He watched as her hand then slipped with his own making lacing their fingers as they moved over her. Within moments of her hand joining his he felt that all too familiar shudder as no sound escaped her lips but a soft satisfied sigh.

Not letting the feeling subside for even a moment Alyssa moved her hand to his hips wrapping around him stroking gently. He groaned softly feeling his breath catch in his throat from the suddenness of her move. He pushed her hand away just a few moments later even though he would have laid there the rest of the night he knew he wanted more than just this. Nick got to his knees in front of her smirking as she let her legs fall open for him. Grabbing the backs of her thighs he pulled her down the bed slightly before he laid himself on top of her bringing their faces within just an inch of each other.

Alyssa looked up at him grinning widely as she wrapped her arms around his neck bringing him down on top of her. He entered her slowly watching her face as she stared up at him trying her best to keep her eyes on him to watch the range of emotions on his face. Once their hips rested against each other Nick leaned down claiming her lips as he began to move against her. She breathed in deeply breaking the kiss to sigh. Feeling a little bolder she wrapped her legs around his hips as he moved against her slowly and purposefully keeping that pace as he brought them to a slow, unhurried and lingering release.

Feeling their bodies begin to come down slightly Nick laid there with her cradling their bodies together as they came down from their highs. She smiled up at him running her fingers across his jaw before bringing him back down for another kiss.


End Notes:
Thank you all for reading!! =) And a big thank you to Darby, Mel and April!
Chapter 31: Earshot by Teri
Author's Notes:
So we have another chapter yay! The wedding is just in a few short chapters so I figured I'd add something a little different to the mix. Hope you all enjoy!
Chapter Thirty-One: Earshot

Alyssa sat at her computer furiously clicking, typing and scrolling as she read over her research and tweaked it every few seconds never being satisfied with the outcome. She sighed looking over to the clock seeing that it was well past three o’clock in the morning. She looked around the room rubbing her sore neck and tired eyes. She looked to the bed where Nick was passed out exhausted from the few weeks of touring they’d been on already.

She sighed and returned to her computer opening up her email. She saw a note she’d gotten earlier from Mindy the wedding planner and she decided to reply to her question about linens and other things they wanted to have at the hotel they were getting married at. She thought to herself how ingenious their plan was going to be, to fool everyone into thinking they were going to a party when really it’s a wedding. The paparazzi were already on the case trying to figure out the exact date and time of the wedding and where it was located. It amused her to no end that they thought the wedding was going to be such an extravagant affair.

She figured though that to most people it was rather fancy but really it was more low-key than anything for her and Nick. Just their friends, family in beautiful Hawaii for a few days to get married and spend time with the people they both had made friendships with over the years. Alyssa closed her email and reluctantly went back to her research hoping that if she just got over this one significant hump of hers that she’d be golden for a while until the next one came along. It wasn’t like it was a particularly hard subject for her but at the same time using educational principles in the application of the stories she loved the most was what was causing her so much trouble. Sometimes she really cursed herself for getting so involved with her topics as to even take on a PhD program. But she knew that it was a good thing for her, and a good choice she made when she’d been grieving so much in the past.

Getting frustrated and feeling a migraine approaching she cradled her head in her hands and massaged her temples. A moment later she felt two hands on her shoulders massaging the tension from them. She jumped slightly having not heard him leave the bed. “Did I wake you?” She asked softly feeling him lean down so that their faces were level next to each other.

“Come back to bed, your research will be here in the morning.” He said dismissing her question all together.

“But I need to get this done, if I do then it’ll make the rest of my dissertation that much easier to write.” She replied but Nick didn’t hear any of it. He closed her laptop and plucked her tall athletic frame from the chair.

“Yes but you’ll be able to think more clearly if you get some rest.” He countered laying her on the bed then going to the other side getting back into bed himself. Alyssa cuddled herself up to Nick feeling a slight chill from the cold sheets on her side of the bed. Nick welcomed her next to him wrapping his arms around her as they both rested.

“You’re too good sometimes you know that?” She said reminding him of how much she appreciated the way he tried to look after her.

He grinned and kissed her temple. “Just because I care is all.”

“I know…” She said mid-yawn.

“You’ve been pulling a lot of these all-nighters lately. You need your rest just as much as I do.” He chuckled and held her tighter as he felt her body begin to give over to her exhaustion, Nick following her just moments later.

The following morning…

Alyssa woke up slowly groaning as the migraine that had merely started the night before came flooding back with ten times more force that it had originally. She sat up slowly feeling her head spin slightly from the terrible pain. She shook her head and sighed, a hot shower would make everything better she assured herself.

She got up from the now empty bed figuring Nick had an early morning meeting to get to. She made her way into the bathroom seeing a note for her smiling that her suspicions had been right about his meeting. She shivered slightly and looked around not feeling a breeze from the ventilation. She sighed figuring it was just the cold tile under her bare feet. Alyssa started the water letting the bathroom steam up a little before she stripped and stepped underneath the hot spray.

After her long shower she felt much better, still had the migraine but the intensity surely had decreased. She got herself dressed choosing just a simple jeans and long sleeve shirt and knee high boots over her jeans. Wanting to get out of the hotel for the day she called Kellie’s room getting no answer. She sighed and got up thinking maybe all the girls went down to the venue to hang out during sound check or maybe even did a little sightseeing without her.

Shaking her head at herself she sighed and looked at her hands. She’d been a little anti-social the past week since she was really beginning to focus on juggling her time between career, school, the wedding and Nick. She felt bad knowing that if it weren’t for her dissertation taking up so much of her time that she’d be more inclined to spend much more time with her friends. Getting up from her dejected mood she moved to the door grabbing her jacket intent on seeing some of the sights by herself despite her migraine.

Alyssa went down to the lobby waving to the tiny crowd of fans outside but kept on walking as she moved down the street aimlessly looking for something to occupy her time with. She walked down through the crowded streets finding a museum just a few blocks from the hotel. She walked in paying her admission price and immersed herself in the quiet somber artwork.

Meanwhile just a few blocks away at the venue Nick checked his watch hoping rehearsal would be over soon. He wanted to see if he could make it back to the hotel to check on her. See how her research was going. He had told the girls not to bother her so that she could spend the day finishing up the research she needed to. He knew she probably was wondering where everyone was or she was already busily studying and trying to get over the latest hurdle that her dissertation had thrown at her. He wondered a lot how she was able to handle all of that.

Even back to his solo tour when she was not only being his best friend and confidante she also handled everything as his personal assistant, on top of college at the same time. Her time management skills astounded him sometimes.

He smiled looking over at AJ and Kellie seeing how he beamed with pride at her and then leaned over to kiss her. “Will you two cut it out.” He chided playfully acting like he was going to throw his mic at him.

AJ snorted and stuck out his tongue, “Like you’d be any better if Liss were here. By the way why is she still at the hotel?”

Nick shrugged and sighed, “She’s been pulling all-nighters lately trying to get more of her research done. I figured I’d let her sleep in and then work for the day before the concert tonight. Which I’m hoping to get out of here soon to see if she’s up for going tonight she was feeling kind of out of it when I made her go to bed last night.” He replied seeing Alyssa come by the front of the stage. He smiled and got down going over to her. “I didn’t think you were going to come…” He said wrapping his arm around her noticing her body was shivering just slightly, possibly from the cold weather outside he thought.

Alyssa shrugged and smiled and proceeded to tell him that she’d gotten bored at the bookstore she went to. “…So I decided I’d drop by since everyone ditched me today.” She joked making Kellie’s eyes widen.

“I told you she wasn’t going to work Nick!” She exclaimed coming over and hugging her noting her pale clammy complexion. “Sweetie are you feeling all right.”

Alyssa shrugged and sighed, “I’m not feeling very well my head has been killing me forever and now my ear has been ringing for over an hour.”

Kellie took a good look at her and felt her forehead with the back of her hand her eyes widening. “Ali you’re burning up. Why are you here you should be in bed resting!” She exclaimed.

Nick felt her forehead only to have his hand smacked away. “Stop it, I’m fine. Just a little off today is all.” She said as she moved away from the railing and stumbled slightly her head feeling a rush. “Whoa….” She said steadying herself.

At that moment Kellie swung into action. “Okay seriously you’re going back to the hotel and straight to bed.” She stated taking Alyssa’s arm. Both Nick and Alyssa began to protest but for two very different reasons. “No, you’re going back to the hotel and you need to finish up rehearsals and sound check I’ll call you when I get her back to the hotel.” Kellie replied sternly. She’d remembered growing up with Alyssa that when she got sick the only way to get over it was to just put her in bed for a few days and not let her do anything but rest and then she’d be fine.

Nick relented but followed them out to the front where they hailed a taxi. He helped Kellie get Alyssa into the cab and sighed. “Call or text me with how she is…” He said simply and Kellie nodded in response.

“She’s be okay just when she gets like this she needs her rest and all these all-nighters she’s been pulling lately has messed up her immune system. She used to get like this a lot when we were kids and she didn’t want to slow down.”

Nick smiled and nodded as she got into the cab. He watched the cab drive off in the direction of the hotel. He sighed shaking his head and walked back into the venue wishing he could have gone with them but figured he wouldn’t be much help if any at all if he had.

Once they’d arrived at the hotel Kellie quickly ushered Alyssa up the elevator to hers and Nick’s suite “Okay Missy, strip down and get in some sweats and a tee-shirt you’re going to bed.” Kellie instructed.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, “But I’m all right!” She said rather futilely her head hurt about twice as much as before and she even found herself straining to hear what Kellie was telling her. She went to get up from bending over her suitcase and felt all the blood drain from her head very quickly. With a hand to her head she sunk to a nearby chair and breathed deeply putting her head between her knees to stop her head from spinning.

Kellie gave her a look and sighed, “All right my ass. Come on…” She said handing her the clothing to change into. “You’ll feel better if you rest for a while.” She cajoled trying to get Alyssa to just get into bed so she can make a swift recovery.

Alyssa merely nodded and changed from her position on the chair. Once she changed Kellie helped her friend up and helped her into bed despite her belly getting in the way a few times. “Tell Nick I love him…” Alyssa said semi-sleepily as she watched Kellie reach for her phone.

“I will, I’m going to go to the pharmacy too, to get you some Tylenol for that fever and a few essentials.” She said figuring she’d help Nick out even more by getting some things for him at the pharmacy that would help him monitor her for the night after the concert.

Late that night…

Nick quietly entered the hotel room looking around seeing that Kellie had fallen asleep on the couch in the living room. He grinned and nudged her shoulder jarring her from her sleep. She sat up slowly rubbing her hands over her face and flattening out her messy locks. “Hey you’re back.” She said softly smiling up at her friend.

“You didn’t have to stay with her…” He said nodding appreciatively at the kind gesture.

“I got some stuff at the pharmacy. She’s got an ear infection, I already called Mary and asked her what to get, got some ear drops, a thermometer and Tylenol for the fever and her discomfort. She said if she gets worse to call her before taking her to a hospital.” Kellie said as she struggled to stand and motioned to the things on the coffee table.

“Has she woken up at all or eaten anything all day?”

“No she’s just slept, she woke up a couple times looking for you but other than that no.” Kellie grabbed her bag and went to the door seeing Nick already making his way into the bedroom. She smiled and left the two of them alone.

Nick walked into the bedroom seeing his fiancée buried beneath the comforter, her long dark hair matted to her forehead and  her skin had a light sheen of sweat on it. He sighed hoping that would be an indication that her fever was breaking. Getting an idea he called the concierge desk and ordered up room service. As he set the receiver down he saw something out of the corner of his eye, a basket of spa things, bath bombs, soothing body wash to soothe her achy muscles. He smiled seeing all of the things that Kellie must have picked up or ordered from the hotel as help for her recovery. He waited for the room service to arrive and once it did he went over to her gently taking her hand in his and tracing the lines of her hands, the veins, all the way to the scars on her wrist. Slowly with a low groan Alyssa awoke from her coma-like state.

“Hi…” She said her voice raspy from not being used for the past few hours.

He smiled and leaned over pressing his lips to her forehead. “Come on I brought you food. Sit up, I’m going to check your temp.” He said getting up finding the thermometer.

Alyssa sat up and laughed to herself in her hazy state it made her laugh how he was playing nurse to her illness. “Take my temp eh?” She asked as he sat down. “Sounds like some line from a cheesy porno like Night Nurses from Jersey or something.” She said cringing at her own laughter hurting her head.

Nick snickered and handed her the thermometer, which she stuck under her tongue. “At least you still have your sense of humor.” He quipped just as the thermometer beeped. He took it from her and looked at it as he cleaned it off seeing that it was still a relatively high fever. “Kel said she called your mom and to take ear drops and Tylenol for the fever.”

“Ear drops, should have known I’d get an ear infection. Fuck..I thought I wasn’t going to get these anymore since I had tubes in my ears as a baby.” She remarked.

“You did?” He said not knowing that about her.

“Yeah, had em twice. Mom told me that I would get horrendous ear infections as an infant, just prone to em I guess but the tubes came out when I was seven and this is the first ear infection I’ve had since I was like two.” She said holding onto her earlobe to relieve some of the pressure in her ear canal. “Totally sucks but not contagious thankfully. I’ll be okay in a few days.” She replied wincing when Nick’s blackberry went off on the night stand.

He grabbed it answering it quickly to stop the ringtone from hurting her head anymore. “Hello?”

“How is she?” Mary asked on the other end of the phone half the world away in Palo Alto. Nick chuckled a little at her apparent concern for her daughter.

“She’s doing a little better, still has a nasty fever, but she’s awake and taking her meds like a good girl. And I’m going to make her eat some soup and take a bath then back to bed.” He said giving Alyssa a stern look showing he meant business about what he was telling her mother.

Mary smiled into the phone. “Thank you, for taking care of her. I wish I could make it out sooner to help but I’m still in meetings and such to learn the curriculum at least I’ll be on spring break for a week in like two weeks. She said she wanted to find her dress then, she should be well enough by then.”

“Yeah she’s pretty strong. Listen Mary, I’m gonna let you go, if I need anything I’ll give you a call okay? I gotta make sure she does what she needs to get better.” He said ringing off with her just a few moments later.

He brought the tray over to her letting her eat the soup he’d ordered for her. “Thank you…” She said as she finished it up. “I think I’ll be okay in a day or two.” She replied.

“Yeah you said that already…” He retorted helping her up and carrying her into the bathroom.

She laughed a little still a little delirious with a fever. “Look at you being all chivalrous.” She said stopping to giggle at herself and mouthing the word chivalrous for a few moments. “Have you ever noticed how odd that word is? Chivalry sounds a little like shrivel…like a shriveled old maid.” She said ranting nonsense.

Nick bit his lip holding back his laughter for a moment at her ridiculous little rant. “Good thing you’re not in public right now you’d stick out like a sore thumb…” He retorted as he started up her bath.

“That’s another thing…” She said as she stripped off the sweats and socks leaving her there in just a tee-shirt and her underwear. “How does one stick out like a sore thumb? Do you just see a thumb and go wow, that baby is sore…!” She exclaimed making Nick crack up.

“Seriously babe, you have far too many thoughts.” He replied as he helped her get into the tub once she’d finished stripping off her clothing. He left the room for a moment changing his clothes into a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt. He sat on the edge of the tub and watched as she relaxed in the deep Jacuzzi tub.

She opened her eyes and looked over at him and gave him a lazy smile. “Thank you…for the food and the bath…much needed.” She whispered softly. He smiled back at her at flicked a little water at her face making her jump and then pout at him. He leaned over and kissed her slowly making her smile as she broke the kiss. “It’s a really good thing I’m not contagious.”

A few days later…

“I did not!” Alyssa shrieked half laughing at the conversation and half flushed with embarrassment. “No, that’s not right I couldn’t have said that and not remembered it.”

Nick chuckled and looked over at everyone else. “Oh you so did. The Night Nurses from Jersey comment still makes me laugh.” He replied snickering at how nonchalantly she’d delivered the line. What made it even more hilarious was the fact that she had been so out of it from the fever she’d had.

Alyssa shook her head, “Mock me all you want I am never going to believe you unless you have cold hard proof then you sir are a dirty liar.” She said scoffing. She knew that he wouldn’t really lie about her delirious comments but at the same time she just didn’t want to feel the embarrassment that came along with accepting the fact that she was really out of it.

Nick stretched and sighed a little his laughter subsiding as a cramp in his ribs began to form. “I am glad that you’re feeling better though.”

“Thanks…” She said cracking a small smirk in his direction. “I can’t believe it’s already March. Almost 90% of the guest list has RSVP’d to the wedding which is nice to know everyone is happy to come party with us. You still haven’t told me whether or not you want to invite your mother…” Alyssa said turning to Nick.

He sighed and looked around. Deep within himself he knew that he wanted her there. But after the falling out they had the previous year he didn’t think that it would be wise to bring her to his wedding, where she could do or say anything to try and ruin the day for them.

Kellie sat up and got a stern look on her face. “Why would he anyways? I mean after all she put you both through last year you actually want her at your wedding.”

Alyssa sighed and shrugged. “It’s not my call. And I don’t want to force him to be at odds with her forever. It’s Nick’s decision if he wants to invite her if at all.”

“But after last year you’d let her in at your wedding?” AJ asked as everyone else looked at Alyssa and Nick questioningly.

Alyssa took a breath and gathered her thoughts, “Jane and I aren’t on the best of terms, and I’m a little biased in the situation because of everything, thus I’ve taken myself out of the decision to invite her or not. It’s up to Nick. I can be an adult and be warm and civil to her.”

Nick shrugged, “I want her there, just because you know she’s my mother. I haven’t forgiven her for the shit she did last year but I know now that there has to be boundaries if I want to try to have a relationship with her again. I don’t want to deprive our future kids from knowing a grandparent because we don’t talk. I mean they already have one grandparent out of the equation by uncontrollable circumstances.” Nick said looking over at Alyssa who sighed and looked at her hands for a moment then back over at him. “I mean wouldn’t it be wrong to do that? No matter how shitty she has been…I need to be a bigger person and move on or it’s just going to eat at me forever.”

Brian smiled and patted Nick on the shoulder. “I agree. I mean I don’t think you should just be like all is forgiven but the fact that you’re willing to make the effort when and if she wants to make amends with you then that’s great. I think inviting her is a good idea, just you know make sure she understands that if she causes anything that we’ll be the first to have her hauled out of there.”

Nick chuckled and shrugged a little. “I don’t know if I will though. I mean I want to but at the same time I don’t want what I want to ruin everything.” He said referring to his desire to be closer to his family and how it had only pushed Alyssa farther from him in the process.

Alyssa took his hand and gave him a reassuring glance. “Don’t worry I don’t think any of us are going to let that happen again.”

Days later in Florida…

Jane shielded her eyes as she walked out to her mailbox, the bright afternoon sun blaring down on Florida a few of her small dogs nipping at her feet as she walked with them. Once she reached her mailbox she grabbed the pile of mail grimacing at the various envelopes from bill collectors, coupons and came across a simple off-white envelope addressed to her and in the sender portion of the upper left hand corner read Nick’s address in LA.

All of her thoughts now focused on this envelope and what it may contain. She knew that Nick was getting married soon but didn’t think that was the cause for this note she assumed to herself as she made her way into her small kitchen. She set down the mail and stared at the envelope ripping open the seam and pulling out a small stack. She looked at it seeing a roundtrip plane ticket to Hawaii that looked dated for mid-May. Wasn’t that when Nick and Alyssa were planning their wedding for? Even more intrigued she looked at the simple ivory colored card with deep purplish red flowers all over the front. She opened it seeing the same theme inside as well with writing to match.

                                                                       The honor of your presence is requested
                                                                             At the celebration and wedding of
                                                                                       Nickolas Gene Carter
                                                                                                   And
                                                                                    Alyssa Mackenzie Monroe
                                                                                 On May 15th and 16th, 2008
                                                                                  At the Four Seasons Hotel
                                                                on the Kona-Kohala Coast of the Big Island of Hawaii
                                                                                     Casual dress requested
                                                                     Please RSVP no later than April 10th, 2008


Jane smiled slightly and then looked at the dates on the plane ticket; May 15th, she noted and looked at the invitation again. She smiled wider seeing that he wanted her there before the wedding, to participate in the festivities. She had to admit the idea shocked her since he hadn’t spoken to her since the fight at the hospital. Maybe he’d come around and decided to forgive her. She did have to admit she felt guilty for what had happened and the mean spirited words she’d said to them both and now maybe this was her chance to make things right. Taking a deep breath, she picked up her phone and dialed her son to tell him she would most certainly make it to his wedding and the festivities the day before.

Chapter 32: Head Over Feet by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter! lol I always say that don't I? Anyways the wedding is nearing and will be here before you all know it. However there's alot to come in the process too! Anyways I hope you all enjoy! Lemme know okies?
Chapter Thirty-Two: Head Over Feet

Leigh and Leighanne looked at the two girls disapprovingly because of their giggling. Alyssa shrugged and mouthed ‘sorry' to them. It wasn't' that they were doing anything particularly wrong but at the same time, their muffled laughter was noted by the radio deejay's who were currently quizzing their men on the new album, life, relationships and such.

"So AJ you recently got married..." One of the deejays began making AJ grin and nod at him. "So how's married life been treating you?"

AJ shrugged, "It's been fantastic. And she's due really soon so I'll be a dad in what..." He said turning to look at his wife. "A few weeks?" He asked making her smile brightly and nod in return confirming his question. "It's a really exciting time for me right now, being married, starting a family and being on tour it's really amazing." He added getting a giddy look on his face.

Nick grinned and chuckled at him. "Yeah Kellie's all excited too, there's like pregnancy books all over their hotel room." He said hearing a snicker emanate from Alyssa and Kellie.

"You're getting married soon yourself aren't you?"

Nick nodded, "Yeah in mid-May."

"So have you been one of those guys whose like ‘whatever you want honey' and doesn't help at all?" The female deejay asked making him smirk.

"I try to help wherever I can. I guess you should probably ask her, she knows better of how much I've helped."

The deejays all turned to Alyssa repeating their question to which she grinned and nodded.

Nick smiled at her looking happily back at them, "See I do help. I mean a guy who doesn't want to help plan his own wedding is either uninterested or he's just too lazy to have fun with it. If you think about it and you want it to be fun for all your friends and all that then you kind of have to be involved." He explained. "Besides you get major brownie points for it so it's a win-win situation I think." He replied giving Alyssa a knowing smirk that made her smile back as he returned his attention to the deejays' various questions.

Kellie leaned in to Alyssa's ear and whispered, "Brownie points eh? He seems to get a lot of those, maybe you're a little too easy on giving those out!" She quipped making Alyssa giggle slightly.

She leaned over to Kellie and retorted, "When the sex is that good you don't really need a point system." She said whispering back to her. Kellie bit the inside of her cheek and covered her mouth to disguise her more than amused expression and to silence the laughter that threatened to erupt within her.

The girls continued their quiet conversation throughout the rest of the interview and once they'd walked out with the guys they finally allowed their laughter to take hold as they got into the SUV to take them back to the hotel. "I can't believe you two." Leigh snickered laughing with them. "When your mom comes I'm so asking her if you two have always been like this." She joked.

Alyssa shrugged, "Teachers used to separate us in class because we were a little too chatty. I guess we never grew out of it."

Kellie snickered, "Yeah but then we learned how to pass notes and I think they kept trying to put us in different classes but that didn't work because we'd pass notes in the hall on the way to class and then spend class writing notes. It got pretty bad until high school and we had a few classes together and we were lab partners in freshmen science." She explained.

"That's the bad part of knowing each other growing up. She knows all my secrets because she was there when they happened!"

Later that day...

"So are you ready to go shopping?" Kellie asked as she and AJ came into Nick and Alyssa hotel suite. She looked around noticing how tidy it was compared to their room and chuckled. Alyssa must be wearing off on Nick as far as being a neat freak. She remembered back to Nick's solo tour how Alyssa would grimace disapprovingly at Nick's room and the multitude of clothing strewn about, video games, empty condom wrappers on the floor.

Alyssa came walking out at that moment, barefoot her shirt rumpled and her hair mussed as she stuffed her cell phone and wallet into a small purse. "Yeah just give me a sec."

Kellie giggled and Alyssa gave her a look. "You have the I just had a quickie look going on." Kellie retorted making Alyssa roll her eyes.

"We didn't just have a quickie I was lounging on the bed doing some reading." She defended as Nick came walking out rubbing his neck from looking down at his computer screen.

He smiled and wrapped his arms around her while she smoothed out her hair. "Where are you two off to?" He asked knowing that he and AJ would probably just hang out and play video games or watch some movies to keep them occupied.

"Shopping..." Alyssa said with a smirk beginning to form. Nick gave her an odd look then looked at Kellie who looked about ready to burst out laughing.

"Well do you mind if we join you?" Nick asked looking at the two girls who exchanged a mischievous glance.

"Are you sure? I mean you don't even know where we're going..." Kellie began making the two men even more intrigued as to where they would be going.

"Yeah I think we can handle just about anything you two can throw at us...Don't you think so Alex?" Nick asked challenging his friend.

He smirked and nodded, "Oh yeah I'm game if you are."

Both girls exchanged a glance and shrugged, "Okay then follow us." Alyssa replied making them both smirk at each other. The two couples made their way down to the lobby and out of the hotel to a car that was waiting to take them shopping. The first stop the girls made was at a small trendy boutique not far from the hotel. Once inside Alyssa got an idea and took a stack of clothing she found within minutes and piled them on Nick. "Go try those on, you need some new clothes too."

Nick smiled and walked into the dressing room trying on a few of the different outfits. Within about five or ten minutes later there was a slight rapping on his door and Alyssa's voice on the other side. He smirked thinking of her impeccable timing of finding him in just his boxers. He opened the door letting her slide into the room with a mound of jeans and shirts on her arm. "Jesus woman..." He said marveling at the clothing.

"Well you wear the same clothes a lot and even the fans are noticing so I think it's time for some new clothes that you can add to the circulation. It's a good thing you came with so you could try these on." She said with a grin as she took her seat on the small bench and watched as he tried on the various outfits and she admired her own selections.

Once they were done and made their purchases they joined Kellie and AJ as they placed their bags in the car and decided to walk a little bit down the boulevard to the various shops window shopping here and there. The girls found their destination quickly and smirked to each other as they went for the door having to halt and turn back seeing both of their men standing looking dumbfounded and a little hesitant at going into that particular store.

"What's the matter lover? I know for a fact you've been to one of these before on more than one occasion..." She said as she tugged on his shirt pulling him into the store with AJ and Kellie not far behind.

"Boys, you'd think they'd never been to a sex shop before." Kellie giggled as both of them chuckled at their men's' expense.

Nick gave her a glance and shook his head, "No just not used to being in one of these, with either of you..." He said as both girls clustered off together. "Where are you..." He began being cut off.

"We're going to look around we'll meet you guys back up here when we're done. It's tradition for us. We try to do it in every new city on the tour but we don't always have the time so we go when we can. It's just fun to look around and make obscene commentary."

"Besides Alex babe, look for some fun things for Nick's bachelor party. I know Aaron wants to throw him one but I'm sure you and the boys are going to make it a night to remember." She said as she linked arms with Alyssa and they walked off in the direction of the various skimpy clothing available. She giggled loudly seeing the very tall clear heels that just simply screamed stripper. "Ali you should try them on." She laughed making Alyssa roll her eyes.

"Oh yes because I need even more reason to be called a hooker by the fans." She retorted dryly making Kellie cover her mouth to stifle her giggles. Alyssa looked around seeing some lingerie and some corsets and wigs that she thought were interesting.

"Like I don't get the gold-digger comment enough with being pregnant first and married second." Kellie added noting the ludicrousy of some fans logic.

"This little shopping excursion is definitely going to get them talking then, you all preggers and in a sex shop? Why you little harlot!" She replied giggling as she grabbed a few packages of thigh high stockings. Kellie eyed her and grinned. "Oh shut up he likes them! Something about the whole secretary/teacher fantasy is what kills him with these things."

"Oh believe me I know, I can't wait until this little one is here. Then maybe I can get back some proper lingerie. I hate being this huge." Kellie added as she sighed placing her hands on her lower more rounded tummy.

"Have you two thought of any names?" She asked hoping they'd settled on something.

"We have, and we've already decided on one, but we're not saying a word until he's born. I don't want anyone leaking it accidentally. It'll just be even more annoying, especially with this Hollywood baby boom that's going on, everyone from Christina to Nicole Richie and Jessica Alba are having babies! It's like there's something in the water or something you know?"

"Obviously I haven't been drinking the water then because I'm not pregnant..." She reasoned back.

Kellie narrowed her glance and stood as they walked over to the counter full of honey dust and massage oils and various other flavored things. "Ooh they have my favorite! Strawberry and champagne." She said holding it up. "Alex loves this stuff...He's very much into the whole foreplay aspect. Especially right now since I feel far to fat to have sex."

"You're not fat!"

"I know that I'm not fat but I just feel like a whale. You know I've always been a little on the small side... but now it's like bam I have huge boobs that hurt like fuck! My back aches and I have no clue where my feet are half the time." She said ranting a little as they made their way around to the sex toy section of the store.

Alyssa wrapped an arm around her friend and laid her chin on her shoulder. "Kellie sweetie this is completely normal. You're about to become a mother and you're stressing am I right?"

"Yes....and Alex has been so wonderfully understanding. I'm so glad I married him." She said sighing contentedly.

Meanwhile just about ten feet away from the girls Nick stood trying to remain interested in the handcuffs AJ had handed him just a moment before. He had to admit, the idea of the girls talking about sex in a sex shop made him want to eavesdrop a little and see what he could learn without Alyssa knowing.

"I bet the sex isn't half bad either....I mean I was horny as fuck when I was pregnant but we never had the time nor the privacy which believe me infuriated me to no end. All I wanted was to have sex with my fiancé and I couldn't."

"What about the truck? Didn't you stop him from fucking you?"

Alyssa sighed and then shrugged, "I still need to apologize to him for that. I was scared with the tabloids and all and getting caught. I mean could you even imagine if we'd been photographed in such a compromising position? God my career would be over for sure. But even still he has no idea how much I wanted it...and still want to make it up to him. I get now that he was just trying to be romantic and give us some alone time and all that but being hormonal and touchy did not help the situation one bit."

"Yeah I remember he was so frustrated. I tried joking with him about it and whoa the look he got was killer."

"Oh I totally believe that one. But in a way I'm glad everything happened the way it did. I mean I know that sounds completely horrible but we're better than we've ever been now...and it's because of all the shit that happened."

Nick smiled as he listened to  them moving behind them on the opposite side of an aisle divider hearing their conversation shift yet again.

Kellie grinned and snickered slightly "Better eh? I think you two are down right amazing together now. I mean Alex and I have our hotel suite next to yours the last week or so and damn girl..."

Alyssa giggled and shrugged, "Believe me sex is impossibly good right now."

"That's good to know, Alex and I are slowing right now with the baby coming and all. I miss the really hot intense sex you have when you're just completely in love. I mean granted we fool around and all right now but still...no intercourse really."

"Maybe you should get something with a little battery power to it?" Alyssa postulated and Kellie dismissed the idea.

"Yeah because that won't threaten his masculinity. I haven't even brought up the fact that I have a vibrator and we're married for Christ's sake."

Alyssa giggled, "Nick knows about mine. Has probably seen it in my night stand drawer which is where it is at the moment, back home in LA."

Kellie's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "I'm shocked with how you two are that you didn't bring it with to play with."

Alyssa chuckled, "Yeah because getting randomly searched at an airport and them finding a blue vibrator that happens to be smaller than my fiancé in my bag wouldn't embarrass me one bit now would it?" She retorted sarcastically. "But seriously, aside from the fact that a vibrator doesn't travel well, I don't need it. Only reason why I use it at all is when Nick is unavailable and I'm in the mood. Like if I'm at home and he's away on business or at a meeting for the day and I don't want to wait until he gets home. Even still I end up having sex with him when he gets home because it may have battery power over him but aside from that I much prefer Nick to that piece of plastic." She replied making Kellie nod.

"Still you don't think Nick would be threatened by it?"

"No, because I've mentioned it before and it's kind of turned him on that I get off without him around." Alyssa replied shrugging. "I mean it's not like I don't find the idea of him getting of without me hot so it's really just the way we are."

"Hmm yeah I can see that. So how are the wedding plans going?"

"They're going...I just kind of want it over with all ready. I mean I just want to be married all ready. All this pre-wedding romantic crap is getting to me."

And then Kellie gave Alyssa a what the hell are you smoking look. "Are you kidding me?" She said the incredulity evident in her voice.

Alyssa let out a long drawn out sigh. "It's not that I don't appreciate the sweet gestures and the intimacy or even the really intense lovemaking but seriously...It's just almost too much right now. I'm marrying him for Christ's sake and he thinks that he has to win me over still. He's already done it...he has me no more courting necessary. Once in a while yeah it's nice to go out to dinner and have him do all those romantic things for me but sometimes I just want to be normal."

"But you're not normal Al. Your relationship has never been normal. Even when you two were friends you were never normal."

"I know...and I love the romantic stuff to a point really I do."

Kellie eyed her for a moment and sighed, "Is it the romantic gestures or the super intimate sex you two have been having?"

Alyssa was quiet for a moment causing Nick's stomach to flip at the thought of there being something wrong with what they had been doing. "No the sex I love. It's amazing...and it's not always slow and such. I don't think I could stand for that for very long...sometimes you just need bent over the counter wild sex."

Kellie shrugged and laughed, "Well maybe some good sex toys will boost that." She said with a grin. "What about this?" She said holding up a vibrating tongue stud.

Alyssa snickered and put it back, "We have two of those. They're fun to use but it makes my tongue go numb and then I talk with a lisp for a few hours afterwards, totally not sexy. I think Nick and I laughed for about an hour when I tried talking after the first time we used it."

Kellie giggled hard at Alyssa's explanation of what had happened. "Okay, what about the liberator pads, could be interesting to see the different positions."

Alyssa cracked up at her, "Back on the NG tour at some press event Kevin and Nick were both looking at those the looks on their faces were priceless."

Nick sighed glad the subject of the conversation had gone back to making funny commentary. He turned and saw AJ looking at a few bottles of massage oil and walked over to him. "Okay question..."

AJ's eye brows raised in curiosity. "Yeah?"

"Okay does it ever bug you that they talk about us?" He asked wondering what his thoughts were on the subject. It wasn't that it really annoyed him or anything but at the same time it still got slightly under his skin.

AJ smiled and patted his shoulder, "Think about it this way. She's only telling Kellie because she trusts her. She's not gonna run off and tell the fans or post their intimate thoughts on some blog so I think it's good they have each other to talk to. At least you know that way it will stay in confidence." He explained and Nick nodded. "It bothers you though sometimes doesn't it?"

"A little, like the sex talk doesn't bother me so much it's just sometimes when there's something she doesn't like and hasn't told me about it, she tells her first."

"Hey it's just validation man, she just wants advice or someone to see her point in case you don't."

"True." He said keeping the rest of his thoughts to himself.

Later that afternoon...

Nick walked back into the bedroom of the hotel room and looked at the multitude of post-it notes and Alyssa's drawing of the seating arrangements for the reception. "Do you have to do that right now?" He asked softly.

Alyssa shrugged, "Where do you think your mother should go? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I definitely don't think putting her anywhere near your father would be wise considering their volatile history." Nick sighed and pushed the drawing and post-its onto the floor despite Alyssa's protests. "What the hell! I need to figure this out."

"Isn't that for the wedding planner to decide?"

"I'm giving her my input on it. It'd be nice  if I had yours as well."

"Why not just ask Kellie, seems you've always valued her opinion over mine anyways." He said absently thinking aloud. He definitely didn't want to have said it out loud but he did.

Alyssa gave him a look. "What did I tell her now? Should I be surprised that you overheard yet another conversation of mine. I mean seriously is that what you do? Just follow me around to know what I'm thinking when you're not around?"

"No...I didn't mean to. I mean hell I walked away after a minute or two."

"After a minute or two!?"

Nick scratched the back of his head and sighed. "Well you're the one who is getting sick that I like doing things for you."

"Oh God...you don't even get it! It's just a little much sometimes is all. It's not like I don't appreciate what you do but you can back it off a little."

"Why because it makes you feel like you don't deserve it? Is that why?"

She bit her lip and shook her head, "No....just we're happy right now and I'm just getting reacquainted with how that feels and it's different than before. It's a major adjustment period. And you know some times I wish we could just sit and watch a movie and drink beer like we used to when we were friends. It's like we can't just have a mellow night together, it has to be some planned out romanticized affair. I mean don't you get that I don't need all of that?"

Nick sunk onto the bed and sighed, "I know you don't need it but I like doing it for crying out loud."

Alyssa sighed and went to his side. "But you've already won me over, in spite of me. You've stated your case for us a million times I had no choice but to hear you." She explained.

Nick gave her a look and kissed her cheek. "I just want you to know how much I appreciate you is all."

"I know, but you don't have to do it so much. You really have a tendency to over do it when it comes to me. You've been that way since we've been friends. Do you remember my 18th birthday? Or hell the fact that you bought the house in LA just because I was pissed off at my roommate and a little homesick?"

He smiled and sighed. "Yeah I guess you're right." He said a little defeated at the realization that he did tend to overdo things. Just then Frank walked in carrying a few bags and a grin on his face as a short familiar redhead stepped in behind him.

"Momma!" Alyssa squealed getting up and flying her arms around her. Mary smiled and looked over her daughter's shoulder seeing Nick standing there a pensive yet happy smile on his face.

She broke away from the hug and went over to Nick pulling him into a hug as well. "You look like you need it." She whispered as he gave her an odd glance breaking away form her. "So my dears what are we doing today?"

"Well Kellie wants to take us wedding dress shopping and then we're going to the show then hanging out afterwards." Alyssa said wrinkling her nose slightly.

Mary grinned at her daughter and sighed, "And what are you doing today?" She asked turning her attention to Nick.

"Sound check, meet and greet then the show and sleep probably knowing me. I think Frank is taking me over to the gym while you shop so I can get in a good work out before the show." He said as Frank nodded in agreement.

"Well we'll leave you to that, I'm here on a mission to get this wedding planning done so you two can relax until the big day." Mary said with a smile.

"Mom you really don't have to."

"No I think it'll be good for you two to have the time to relax and enjoy yourselves before you get married besides you've only got what a few things left? You've already picked out the dresses for the girls, the tuxes, flowers, food, location and gotten almost all of the RSVP's in according to what you told me on the phone. Pretty much it's just your dress and the little things like that left so I really don't think I'm helping much at all." She said giving Nick a reassuring grin. "Besides you two have enough going on with both of your careers, you deserve this."

Alyssa grinned and wrapped her arm around Nick's waist. "All right...as long was whatever we do decide on Nick gets consulted about it as well...it's his wedding too."

"No problem there, that's why cell phones with cameras were invented." She replied happily.

Later on...


Alyssa sighed as she slipped the dress over her head. This whole process of elimination was really getting to her. It seemed as if the longer they tried and the more dresses they threw at her the less and less she knew of what she wanted. Alyssa stepped out of the dressing room making both women gasp. She looked down at herself, the pleated chiffon gown and sparkling braided empire waist belt that had an ornate clasp at the front not really giving her the effect they were seeing from her distorted angle. "What?" she asked wondering why they stood mouths gaping open at what they saw before them.

"Look in the mirror..." Kellie managed to get out as Alyssa looked at herself in the tri-framed mirror. Alyssa did so and her jaw dropped at the sight of herself. The dress wasn't as traditional as most wedding dresses were, it almost had a Roman goddess appeal to it with its light material flowing simplicity and its clean sophisticated lines.

Alyssa twirled a little and imagined her hair down in tousled curls, light makeup and simplistic jewelry. "My...God...I think...I found it." She said with a smile. She smoothed her hands over the bodice of the dress loving how it enhanced her curves and yet still looked very flowing and almost ethereal in it's charm with its two inch thick straps and was coy enough for a wedding but had a quiet sexiness to it as well. She looked at the neckline and how to the casual observer it looked rather tame but the standard u-shaped neckline then had a small v-drop in the middle that gave a much more feminine curve to the silhouette of her torso.

Mary stood up and looked at her daughter with a quiet pride and admiration. "You look so gorgeous darling." She said keeping her voice just over a whisper.

She beamed at her mother feeling more and more confident in the dress by the second. "Nick's going to lose it when he sees me coming down the aisle."

"Most definitely." Kellie replied, "It's perfect. It's just so...so...well so you."

Alyssa grinned and turned to the sales lady. "I will definitely take this one." She said proudly handing the lady her credit card. She walked back into the dressing room and changed quickly coming out with the dress in hand giving it over to the woman so she could pack it in a garment bag. Mary wrapped an arm around her daughter's shoulders as she sighed and thought to herself. Alyssa glanced at her mother and grinned. "What's with the expression?"

Mary squeezed her shoulders gently and grinned widely. "It's really happening. My baby's getting married."

Alyssa grinned even more widely and wrapped her arm around her mother's waist. "Aww Momma..."

Mary sobered up a moment later as the three women left the boutique triumphantly the dress in hand. "Now sweetheart are you and Nick..."

"Are Nick and I what?" She asked knowing that her mother was getting to the sex question.

"Well some couples tend to stop having sex before their wedding to sort of recapture something when they do get married. I was wondering if you two had given that any thought."

Alyssa smiled, "No not really I mean, for a few days before the wedding possibly but nothing too far in advance it would drive us both insane." She said her face flushing in embarrassment. "God I cannot believe I'm having this talk with you..."

Mary smirked as the women deposited the dress in the car that had taken them from the hotel to go shopping. "Your father and I didn't do that either you know. We eloped and I was pregnant with your sister so it wasn't really a traditional wedding either. I know you and Nick have sex, I mean you were pregnant twice and you've done it quite a bit back at the house in Arizona. I just wanted to know if that's what you two were planning."

"It's a great idea in theory but I think we'll stop probably about a week before the wedding. Can I ask you a question?" She replied wanting to know if her experience was as unique as Kellie and Lori would have her believe.

"Of course...."

"As much as this is going to gross me out but when you and Dad would...well you know...was it like super intense no matter what type it was?"

Mary grinned and took pity on her daughter, "Yes...we had an amazing connection the two of us. I see it between the two of you whenever you're around each other. It's nice to see. And I even see it with you Keller and your husband."

"Really?" Kellie asked a little shocked.

"Oh yes. It's a nice and rare gift to see my children and my children's friends so happy and settled. Now we just have to work on Nick's siblings and nudge them in the right direction to finding love and we'll be set." She finished making the three of them laugh heartily at her joke.

"Somehow I think that it will work itself out eventually for all of them." Alyssa replied with a content grin.

End Notes:
thank you so much for reading!
Chapter 33: Matchmaker, Matchmaker Make Me A Match by Teri
Author's Notes:
So in honor of October the 15th (aka MY BIRTHDAY!) I thought I'd get a chapter out to all of you! So the title, kinda cryptic and you won't get it until the last two scenes of the chapter but it's just so perfect for it. lol Anyways lots going on this chapter! Surprise appearances and bundles of joy, baby talk and a possible new budding romantic entanglement (possibly lol). Enjoy everyone!
Chapter Thirty-Three: Matchmaker, Matchmaker Make Me A Match

"Are you sure?" Nick asked for what seemed the hundredth time in the last thirty minutes. It wasn't that he didn't want to have the guys take him out. A sort of pre-wedding last hurrah for him as a single guy. He knew he was already getting a bachelor party from Aaron and his other friends but he supposed that the guys wanted to do something special for him. A final send off as the last one to get married.

Alyssa gave him a look and then moved to place each knee on the outside of his thighs. "Lover, go have fun. Shamelessly flirt with drunk hot chicks it's one of the last times you'll ever get the chance. The guys won't let you do anything too damaging so really I am not worried at all."

Nick gave her a look and grasped her hips as she leaned down their mouths meeting momentarily only to be interrupted by the door being knocked on. Nick sighed and Alyssa got up giggling as she went to the door smiling at the others on the opposite side.

"Come on in..." She said with a sly grin at the three guys. "Where's...?"

"On his way he got stopped by the fans and all their questions as to why he's even here." AJ replied grinning like an idiot. Nick came walking out just then rolling the sleeves on his thin linen button down shirt up his forearms.

"Hey..." He said grinning at them.

"Geez man don't look so thrilled to see us." Brian retorted with a grin.

Nick snickered and shrugged. "Sorry just...."

"Just nothing..." Alyssa interrupted. "You're going out and getting smashed and having fun before you marry me next month." Nick gave her a look but she wouldn't have any of it. "And to make sure you have fun I have a surprise for you." She said just as the fourth and final member of the party showed.

"Sorry got totally jammed up with the fans downstairs, it's so weird to see that again." Kevin said as he entered the room explaining his lateness to the others. Nick stood there in shock as he looked seeing his ex-band mate and close friend standing there before him. "Jesus Nick you'd think you haven't seen me in years." He said with a laugh giving him a hug.

Finally Nick spoke still really surprised at the sight of Kevin being there. "Not that I'm not stoked that you're here...but what the hell are you doing here? Don't you have a kid and an acting career to take care of?"

Kevin laughed at his little jibe. "Ha, funny. No your woman called and said that I better be here since you're the last to get married and all. I mean hell this is momentous. I may not be in the band anymore but still you were at all of our bachelor parties and weddings I think it's only right to be here to do the same for you."

"You don't care about the massive amount of rumors it's going to cause?"

"Let em talk this is more important lil bro." He said with a confident smile.

Nick smiled and nodded and turned to Alyssa who was grinning rather widely at him. "Woman you're insane." He said as he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead.

"Have fun, the girls, my mom and I are having a small bridal shower tonight anyways." She replied.

AJ smiled and gave Alyssa a hug. "Call me if anything happens with Kels okay?"

"No problem. I know she's due like any day now so if anything happens we'll be calling all the cell phones so keep them on and nearby just in case."

"We will, you have fun with the girls." Nick said with a short smile as the guys led him out of the room for the night. She smiled and chuckled as they left glad she'd placed the call to Kristin and Kevin a few weeks before hand knowing that they'd want to fly out to see them. Unfortunately Kristin couldn't seem to get away from filming but at least Kevin could make it out for the initial partying of Nick's farewell from single-dom.

A few minutes later Alyssa called Kellie telling her it was all clear for her and the others to come in. Within ten minutes or so, Kellie, Mary, Leigh and Leighanne along with Olivia and Lori were all filing into the hotel room. Room service already ordered and on it's way the girls gathered in the common room on the sofas and chairs as a big pile of presents laid on the coffee table.

"All right ladies food is on it's way let's get this shin-dig started!" Olivia announced as all the women laughed at her announcement.

A little while later...

Nick laughed after shooting back another shot of tequila. "Man I'm glad you decided to chow. I figured you'd be at the wedding and all but this was really cool of you." He said his words slurring just slightly from the alcohol he'd already drank.

Kevin grinned warmly at him as he took another swig of his beer. "You're welcome. Ali said you'd like it if I came so I figured what the hell?"

AJ smiled and shrugged. "It is nice to just party the five of us again." He remarked as they watched Howie and Brian come back over with another round of drinks, beer for Kevin and Nick, Cranberry and club soda for AJ and beers for themselves as well.

"So man are you ready to walk the plank?" Brian asked laughing a little.

Nick chuckled, "Yeah I am it's about time isn't it?"

"Yeah it is. Now enough talking about the women let's at least get to act like we're all single tonight!" AJ remarked again making the other four laugh as they all surveyed the large crowd of beautiful people dancing in front of them.

Meanwhile back at the hotel the girls' laughter rang out in the room loudly. "Oh my God...Lori that's just so wrong!" She said as she put the box full of different flavored massage oils down.

"I know I said it to gross you out. I know how it makes you cringe to hear about your brother in the bedroom. But seriously I was shocked, I mean we'd gotten almost boring and my mother comes to stay and suddenly bam he practically molests me."

Alyssa giggled hard. "Yeah I remember when I was pregnant and Jane came to visit I still haven't forgiven Les and Mike for giving her their room. If they hadn't then she wouldn't have heard us having sex in the bathroom." She replied as she got up and went over to grab another drink for herself, and Olivia followed close behind. Alyssa glanced at her sister and put her arms around her "I'm so glad you could make it. I miss Angie being here too though but I get you don't want her traveling and all."

"Oh yeah well I just want her to take it easy, her pregnancy isn't as easy as Kellie's has been. Thankfully the baby seems really healthy according to our doctor. I'm so excited too being a mom. Was this how you felt when you were pregnant with Noah?"

Alyssa nodded and sighed, "Yeah I was. I'm kind of excited though like after the wedding I really want to start trying to have a family. Like maybe making a conscious effort will make it easier on us. When it's happened by accident it really hasn't worked out so maybe planning for it will make all the difference this time you know?"

"I totally agree. And even better that you and Nick will be all disgustingly cute and married when you do try again so you can annoy all of us with your perfect little straight life." She said with a wide sarcastic grin.

"By the way I've been meaning to ask you..."

"What's that?"

Alyssa chewed her lip barely suppressing her grin. She was happy that her sister decided to come visit her even though her wife was half way around the world and pregnant. "Well I've been meaning to ask you...If you..." She stammered. It amazed her how simple a question as she had would trip her up so much. It wasn't like Olivia would be appalled and say no. Regaining her voice she continued, "You know would be my matron of honor?" She asked getting an almost innocent look on her face.

Olivia's face paled momentarily as slight shock set it. "You want me to..." She said trailing off. She stood there before her baby sister in utter astonishment. She'd never thought that Alyssa would ask her in a million years. Especially when she, in her mind at least, had better alternatives in the form of best friends, her future sisters but the fact that she was asked made her suddenly beam with pride. "I would love to." She said brightly hugging her close. A sudden realization hit her as she broke away for a moment. "Ah man I have to walk down the aisle with Aaron don't I?" She groaned petulantly.

Alyssa giggled and hugged her sister, "Hey at least you know he won't hit on you. Since he knows that you don't like boys."

"Hey I never said I don't like boys, just that I prefer women." She retorted with a sideways grin. "I used to be boy crazy remember, and I've had sex with more men than you."

"Not hard to do since there's only been two." Alyssa replied wryly.

Olivia giggled and flung her arm around her sister as they came back in with their drinks flopping down on the sofa together. "Wait does Kel and Lori know?" She asked making both women look at her with knowing grins.

"Yes we do." Lori said with a large smile. "It's why I was so adamant about you coming. I mean hell we're all like her matron's of honor but you get the title since you're closer to her than any of us."

"I find that hard to believe. I mean we're blood related and all but seriously you two are her best friends."

Alyssa grinned at her, "Yeah they're my best friends, and you're my sister and my best friend hence you out rank them. The only person above you on the list is my husband-to-be. It's how Nick figured out his best man and groomsmen situation. Aaron to him outranks all of his buddies and the band because it's his brother. And then Chris and Brent have been there for a long time.  He was really torn over putting any of the guys in the band in so he put Mike in since he's engaged to Leslie and they've been getting closer than ever. Like any of his other guy friends he didn't feel right with putting them in over any of the guys so he opted for family instead."

Olivia smiled and sighed, "It's craziness Liss. You're getting hitched. I always knew you'd be the last to tie the knot being the youngest and all but dude it's just so weird."

Mary smiled at her daughters and patted her eldest's knee. "Darlin' you said the same thing when you married Angela." She replied making Olivia smile at the use of the word marriage when it applied to her and Angela. For all intents and purposes they were married, sadly just not recognized by any church or law out there.

"Okay next present!" Lori announced handing Alyssa a bag.

Alyssa eyed her suspiciously and dug into the bag seeing a very classy yet very sexy light blue silk nightie. "So is this my something blue?" She asked with a snarky grin.

"No but I figured it would be useful for the honeymoon." Lori replied with a wide smile.

"Psh like she'll wear clothing on her honeymoon. If I know Nick he's probably planning somewhere exclusive where they can be all alone and not have to care about clothing or any other barriers." Kellie retorted with a laugh.

Alyssa rolled her eyes, "Geez give me more credit than that. I do wear clothing around him. And thank you Lori I think I will be using this on my honeymoon now that you mention it." She said giving Kellie a quick glare that did nothing to mask the smile that bubbled from beneath the scowl.

"So I bet you're wondering what I got you..." Mary began with a sly look on her face. "And I know it's tradition for the mother of the bride to buy the bridal lingerie and all but you and Nick did say you wanted something non-traditional for your wedding." She said handing Alyssa a card that held a picture inside it.

Alyssa opened it seeing a picture of a very nice, very modern bedroom set. A king-sized bed not very far off the ground but enough to were you could sit down easily and comfortably, flanking either side of the bed were two long sets of drawers and above that were two, four-shelf book cases that were connected by a long two shelf book case over top that also had small ambient lights positioned over the head of the bed. All of the wood including the bed were darkly colored in a deep mahogany. Alyssa looked at it and smiled. "Is this...for us?"

Mary nodded and grinned. "I know that you two love modern art and architecture and stuff like that so I thought this would be nice for your new home in Monterrey. I know you love your space and all so I made sure it was the largest double pillow top that I could find. Nick approved the frame and dresser/book cases already. He loved the bookcases in particular since you both like to read before bed apparently."

Alyssa hugged her mother thanking her for the thoughtful and elegant gift she'd given to them. "You're the best." She said smiling at her as her mother nodded her welcome.

At that moment Kellie stood up, with Lori's lithe arm to help her up explaining that she needed to get a glass of water. Alyssa protested but Kellie just waved her off. Kellie waddled her way over to the little fridge and grabbed  a bottle of water gently hitting the fridge door closed with her pelvic bone. Suddenly as she turned to go back to the sofa she felt a sharp muscle contraction hit her lower abdomen then a felt a wetness drip down her leg. "Uh...guys..." She said holding her stomach as she hunched over holding onto the back of one of the chairs.

In the same instant Alyssa turned and launched herself over the back of the sofa and to her best friend's side. "What is it? What's wrong is it the baby...?" She asked her voice full of concern and a tinge of excitement that the baby might be coming.

"My water broke..." She said looking up making all of the girls in the room suddenly spring into action.

Alyssa helped Kellie to the elevator as Mary grabbed the overnight bag. Olivia frantically dialed her cell phone to contact AJ, Nick, or any one of the guys. Leigh and Leighanne followed close behind happy to be there for moral support.

Back at the club...

Nick sighed as he flirted half-heartedly. It wasn't that the girl he was talking to wasn't attractive, quite the contrary actually. Flowing hair curled to perfection to be on the prowl for the night, not too much makeup but enough to where it was too much it overshadowed any real beauty the girl had. Her outfit was screaming for someone to push her into a bathroom and have their way with her. The thought made him chuckle to himself at the observation of her inviting ensemble yet ironically enough to him it did nothing to excite his desires or anything connected to it. In another part of his life he would have been much more into her advances and made much more overt ones of his own. "What's so funny?" She asked, her voice was pleasant enough a thick English accent to her tone.

He sighed and shrugged, "Just thinking about how in another time and place that I would be really into you." He said bluntly hoping that she didn't take offense to his words.

Instead of offense she simply smiled at him. "I'm assuming you've already gotten attached to someone?"

Nick nodded, "Marrying her in a month."

"Lucky girl."

"More like the other way around." He said with an air of self-deprecation. He knew that Alyssa felt lucky to have him in her life but a lot of the time he felt like he was the one who should feel that way. As sappy and clichéd as it was it didn't stop him from feeling that way.

"So is this the bachelor party?" She asked frankly and he nodded.

At the same moment Nick felt his phone begin to vibrate in his pocket and out of the corner of his eye he saw AJ come running up a nervous and excited expression on his face. "Dude I'm gonna be a DAD!" he nearly shrieked as Nick looked at him amused at his fervor.

"Yeah I know...she's due almost any day now..."

"No you moron, I'm gonna be a dad tonight! Come on we gotta get to the hospital!" He exclaimed. Nick excused himself politely and left with him as they hurried to the hospital, AJ nervously fidgeting and twitching the entire time.

Nick observed him quietly wondering if he had looked somewhat the same the night Alyssa had been in the hospital. Of course the mere fact that it was a much earlier and scarier experience for him to watch his the entire scene unfold before him made no difference in his mind. The rest of the rush seemed to go by in a flurry. They arrived at the hospital and rushed to the waiting room, AJ disappearing to go into the delivery room. Nick smiled as he giddily accepted the scrubs from the nurse and practically skipped down the hallway.

In all his years of knowing him the idea of skipping and AJ never really ever came into his mind in the same stream of thought. Alyssa giggled a little. "Looks like a kid on Christmas morning doesn't he."

"Oh yeah with the big red bicycle that he's been hoping for under the tree." Nick retorted back as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her to sit on his lap as he sat down on a chair. He closed his eyes momentarily just breathing in her scent yet again. "I missed you." He whispered making her grin and rest her body into his.

"Did you have fun?" She asked lightly rubbing her fingertips over the thin skin covering his knuckles.

He shrugged, "Yeah I mean it was great to hang with the guys and all. But I actually tried to flirt to see if I would feel the same as when you and I banter back and forth."

"And what did you discover?" Alyssa asked keeping her voice soft and almost amused at his little anecdote.

"I was bored. I mean I had some pretty hot girls to flirt with and I just didn't care. My ego was more than slightly ruffled that I just didn't give a shit to try to flirt with them. I mean I did and all but it just didn't feel like a flirt should you know?"

Alyssa smiled and kissed the scruffy hinge of his jaw and he turned and grinned  at her. "I'm glad you had fun, albeit short lived." She said chuckling to herself. He joined her as well chuckling softly.

The time they spent in the waiting room seemed to drag on and on. Five minutes felt like an hour as they all sat quietly, some reading, some in quiet hushed conversations as they awaited the news of the birth of AJ and Kellie's son. When the news came just two hours after arriving all of them sighed in relief that the wait was over and that both mom and baby were perfectly healthy.

Everyone went in and out of the room letting Nick and Alyssa stay back and wait to make their entrance to the hospital room. Once everyone was leaving or had already left Alyssa and Nick both went into the room. Alyssa sighed glad she'd made the choice to wait until everyone else had gone. She knew there was a good chance that either she or Nick or both of them would get maudlin at the sight of their best friends and their healthy baby boy. It wasn't that she wasn't happy for them, in fact it was quite the opposite, she envied Kellie, for her pregnancy and taking it in such a stride that she obviously hadn't had the strength to possess.

They both smiled at the little family laying eyes on the little bundle sleeping in Kellie's tired arms. "I'd like you two to meet Cedric James McLean." Kellie beamed happily seeing how both of them were immediately taken by the cherubic face and button nose.

"What color are his eyes?"

"They're gray at the moment, I'm sure that will change either brown or blue probably."

"Gray?"

"Yeah, I think it's just the lighting in here but they look gray to me."

Alyssa grinned, "That would be cool considering he'd be different from you two then. I love his name by the way..."

"Yeah I read it somewhere and it just fit. I know some people are going to be like you named your kid after Cedric the entertainer but I didn't I swear." She said holding up three fingers in a scouts honor. Alyssa giggled and hugged her best friend feeling oddly calm about the situation.

Nick on the other hand was studying the sleeping child's face comparing to the images he still had in his memory of Noah and how strikingly different they were. He sighed and mustered up a good grin for AJ smacking him on the back. "Well done man."

"I know he's just too perfect." He replied beaming at his wife and son. Alyssa rolled her eyes and sniggered as she took little Cedric into her arms rocking him as he stirred from the movement.

Nick watched marveling at how easily Alyssa fell into a maternal role and the infant quickly hushed back into a restful sleep. A knot formed in his stomach to accompany the already large lump in his throat. As far as they'd come in the past few months the sight of seeing Alyssa with a baby brought back his desire to be a father as well, to see her glow the way Kellie had. "You want to hold him Uncle Nick?" Alyssa asked with a cute baby voice whisper to her tone.

Nick nodded and took him from her the four of them chuckling as Cedric stretched and cried a little from once again being disturbed in his slumber. "Demanding lil punk isn't he?" Nick replied chuckling as he saw Cedric reach his hand up to stretch. "Man he's tiny... How much does he weigh?" Nick asked his head shooting up over to Kellie and AJ who sat on the bed holding hands smiling at how Nick, too fell easily into any parental role.

"Seven pounds, six ounces if I'm correct." Kellie replied making AJ nod in agreement. "I'm just excited he was born in Europe. I kind of always wanted that, to have a baby in a different country."

"Damn there go his hopes of being president one day." Alyssa joked sarcastically making Kellie role her eyes.

"No son of mine is that moronic to go into politics." AJ said sternly placing a kiss to Kellie's temple.

Nick walked back over as he played with Cedric's little hand with his finger tip. He shifted and slid Cedric gently back into Kellie's arms and watched the jealousy in him quelled for the moment as he smiled at the little family in front of him.

A few nights later...

Nick awoke slowly growing accustomed to the cold sweat he continually was beginning to wake up in, in the middle of the night. He looked to his side seeing Alyssa still out cold and made his way to take a hot shower hoping to wash away the dream he'd had once again. It wasn't a nightmare that's for sure. But to him the waking up to find out that it wasn't true was what hurt him the most. Ever since the night Kellie had Cedric the baby buzz had been on his mind and his own masochistic nature turned it around to make him wonder what life would have been like if Alyssa had made it through the pregnancy with Noah, what if he'd been a full term baby. The images taunted him with happiness only to wake up and remember that wasn't the case. He cursed to himself and punched at the tiled wall. He looked at it seeing not even a crack had formed and now his hand was hurting, swelling from his angry outburst.

After his shower he came walking back into the bedroom finding Alyssa sitting Indian-style on the bed, wearing his sweater and nothing more, her wild mane of hair tucked behind her ears. She saw the look on his face practically reading the thoughts he was desperately wishing to keep from her. "Are you going to talk to me about it? Or are we just going to go to sleep and act like nothing happened until you have the dream again?" She postulated to him.

He gave a petulant sigh and looked at her. "What do you want me to say? That I'm fucking jealous of AJ and Kellie? Is that what you want?" He asked keeping his voice flat trying to keep his frustration at bay as much as he could.

"It's okay to envy them. Sin as it may be..." She said recalling on her extensive Catholic upbringing. "But you're just a man...and we lost something that was very dear to us that we both desperately wanted even though we didn't know we did until we'd created him." She said somberly. "It's hard I know, I get it. But I've made my peace with losing him...because of you it's made it okay that he's gone. Because I know that as much as it hurts that we lost such a precious piece of each other that doesn't mean that we won't ever get the chance again."

Nick gave her a look and grimaced at her as he sat in the chair just in a pair of long pajama pants, his head in his hands. "Alyssa...it's not just that...I mean why us? Don't we get to have that? You've been pregnant twice and look at the result."

Alyssa got up and went to him kneeling under his face so he would be eye to eye with her. "Nick...lover... I know how hard this is. But it wasn't meant to be. It's what I have to keep telling myself over and over to keep the sadness from consuming me. I promise you will have another chance." She said her face growing more and more resolute.

He gave her a look, "When? A few years after we get married? After your PhD? When do we get another chance?"

"When we chose to." She said a plan growing in her mind. She'd been meaning to talk to him for over a month now about trying again but at the time it never seemed like the right moment to discuss such a volatile topic for them both. "We can discuss when we want to start trying if you want."

"I don't want to wait years to have a family with you Ali. Losing Noah, seeing AJ and Kellie so excited about Cedric, it's made me want to see you pregnant, to see you holding our child and glowing with pride."

Alyssa nodded, "I'll make you a deal."

"Who are you Bob Barker now?" He retorted making her eyes narrow into a look that made him shut up.

Alyssa cleared her throat and leaned in to emphasize her point, to in affect really drive it home to his brain. "I'll stop my birth control after the wedding. Since I'm on such a high hormone dosage it's going to take about a month or so for my body to recalibrate itself. But within a month or two of going off of it, I think it'll be easy to accomplish."

"Like right away right? Like right before the wedding and such...?"

"Yeah I had planned on surprising you that I'd gone off of it on our honeymoon but I didn't know if you even wanted to try to have a baby after everything. But this shows me you want it as much as I do. I'm ready to be a mom and I think you're ready to be a dad too. I just want to wait until after we're married. I think that may oddly tip the scales in our favor. Call me superstitious or emotionally deranged but if Nana's taught me anything it's that everything happens for a reason and maybe it was to tell is we had to get married and really commit ourselves to each other before we could ever have children."

"Plural eh?" He asked with a grin his mood had lifted quite a bit since her little compromise had emanated from her.

"Yes I want more than one. But I'm not have like six or seven little monsters either. I draw the line at three."

"And what if the third pregnancy could be twins?" He asked grinning at her.

"Then you sir are getting snipped or I'm having a hysterectomy that way we won't have anymore."

"So four is negotiable?"

Alyssa gave him a sideways glance, "Three, that's it. You're not the one sacrificing your body to carry ‘em nine months."

"True. Okay three tops unless for some unforeseen thing we have twins or something."

"It's not very common on my side like it is on yours. The only twins in my family are Kate and Kaylee and that's only because Aunt Ginny has like a zillion sets of twins in her family." She explained depleting the possibility with statistics. "Besides three little ones means three chances to fulfill my promise."

Nick gave her a confused look in response, "What promise is that?"

"A long time ago you asked me to give you a daughter that looks just like me...Well given the odds one out of three should look at least a little like me hopefully it's a girl."

Nick smiled and pulled her face closer to his kissing her in pure gratitude. The entire conversation in an of itself made him feel completely at ease with the earlier envy and pain he'd felt. While he'd never forget what happened with Noah, he certainly now had his eyes on his future, to have that family he so desperately craved. A soft knock at the hotel suite's door brought them both back to reality as they broke apart from their emotional conversation. Alyssa smiled and went to the door smirking at whoever it was on the other side. She let him in and Nick stood seeing his little brother standing there, in a beat up sweatshirt, jeans and a duffel bag in his hand. "'Sup bro?" He said with a wide grin giving Nick a hug.

Nick smiled and broke the hug, "Dude, what are you doing here? It's freaking 3 in the morning." Nick said as he glanced at the clock.

Aaron shrugged, "LA was pissing me off, so I decided to come crash the party. You don't mind right?" He asked seeing the attire they both had on he wondered if he'd interrupted something that would normally gross him out to even think of.

Alyssa smiled and hugged him. "Of course we don't mind. Although we don't have an extra bed..."

"S'okay, I got a room just down the hall. I heard about the new little monster as well."

"He's adorable, looks like both of them." Nick added making Aaron grin.

"Sweet, I'll have to see him tomorrow, but anyways I'm gonna go crash, you two do the same!" He said happily hugging them both. "I'm glad I decided to come see you guys." He said as he left making Alyssa smile and make plans with him the following day for them to go sight seeing together.

A week later...

"Lindsay thanks so much for flying out. I really appreciate it." Alyssa remarked as they sat across from each other, grading term papers in tandem. Since her flight had landed just an hour before Lindsay had expressed a very business-like demeanor and suggested that they get right to the massive amounts of term papers to grade and doing so through video or phone conference was going to be a much too laborious task. She had to admit to herself that it wasn't technically all about the work to get Lindsay to come out on the tour. Partially she had hoped that maybe with Aaron being on the tour as well it could give them some time to get to know each other and see if maybe sparks would fly.

When she had told Nick of her little plot he'd given her a petulant glance making her roll her eyes and proceed to convince him that maybe Lindsay was the kind of girl that Aaron could actually find something with. And after 20 minutes of cajoling and coaxing she somehow got him wrapped up into her little plan to play matchmaker for her soon-to-be brother. Thankfully neither Lindsay nor Aaron seemed to notice this early in the game.

Alyssa watched as Lindsay looked over her dark rimmed glasses and smiled, "Well your welcome! I'm happy to get to travel. And to see you of course, I know it may not be all that ethical to become friends with a professor and all but I really do see you that way. You've been a great help with my graduate work and I'm glad I could help you with your research." She replied.

Alyssa smiled happily at her as they continued to work. "Okay question, what do you think of this statement...."

"Shoot."

"While Iago seems to be the one pulling all the strings in this provocative play, really he's only exploiting weaknesses already present in Othello's turbulent character."

Lindsay nodded her head, "I agree with it. I mean it's true that Iago's the villain of the play but at the same time he couldn't have done what he did without the flaws already present in Othello." Lindsay artfully elaborated.

"I thought that too. I love hearing all the differing opinions on literature but it seems like much of the class tends to agree with that statement you know?"

"Yeah because Shakespeare is pretty straight forward in his cryptic-ness." She replied laughing at her own joke. "I mean seriously he's cryptic with his words and phrases that the characters use but at the same time the words illustrate the intention and the action describes the rest really. I think that's why his work is so universally used as inspiration for other authors." She explained.

"Agreed..." Alyssa mirrored smiling at her. Just as they got back into the swing of working Nick and Aaron came into the room talking rather loudly about the basketball game they'd just finished playing.

"Dude it sucks that you're all athletic again...I can't keep up." Aaron remarked as he stopped short seeing the two women sprawled out between the two sofa's sitting on the floor and sharing the coffee table as a sort of desk.

"Yeah but you're the one who just quit smoking again so I think that I have the advantage of having better lung capacity." Nick retorted seeing the girls there. He smiled at them. "Hey Linds. How was your flight?"

"Bumpy, but all right." She said standing as Alyssa had done just a second earlier.

"Lindsay this is Nick's brother Aaron, Airhead this is my research assistant and former student Lindsay Barnes." Alyssa said making the introduction.

Aaron held out his hand and watched her take his, "Nice to meet you, I've heard a lot from Ali here."

Lindsay smiled back, "Cool, nice to know I've been talked about." She replied as she let go of Aaron's hand and moved back to the couch flopping herself down and picking up another paper.

Nick glanced at the papers around the room, "Term papers?"

"Yep." Both girls said in unison as they immersed themselves into their work.

Feeling slightly awkward and wanting to let the two of them get their work done as soon as they could the boys excused themselves. Nick watched Aaron glance back more than once as they headed down the hall to AJ and Kellie's room hopefully to play with baby Cedric or play a rousing round of video games.

"Dude you like her..." Nick said giving him a look.

"Do not..."

"Do too infinity squared..." Nick said challenging him to top it in the most elementary school boy type way.

Aaron rolled his eyes. "Dude you suck."

Nick guffawed loudly at him and sighed, "Oh yeah you have it bad already and you've met her for what like five seconds?"

"I did see her in the hall at Ali's office." He said with a smirk.

"Still she didn't even recognize you according to Liss."

"So? That could be a good thing."

Nick gave him a strange look, "You want me to hook you up don't you?" He asked resigning himself to the role of playing matchmaker.

"No I can handle it. But if I need a wingman..."

Nick smiled and wrapped his arm around his brother's neck giving him a noogie for good measure. "Yeah, I'll be your wing man."

"Like Goose and Maverick?" Aaron asked with a cheesy grin.

"Yes because I'll be there when you go down in flames punk." He retorted making the two of them bust out in laughter. He smiled as they went into the hotel room, and thought to himself that if his brother played his cards right, then maybe he would have finally some luck when it came to his turbulent personal life. He sighed and chuckled to himself, he just hoped that Alyssa was right  in her little plot.

End Notes:
thank you for reading!
Chapter 34: Tux and Cocktails by Teri
Author's Notes:
So we are officially one chapter away from the wedding! Hope you all enjoy!
Chapter Thirty-Four: Tux and Cocktails

Kellie burst into the hotel room entirely out of breath. "Fuck..." She muttered as she stretched out her muscles. They screamed back at her as Alyssa came into the room as well chuckling.

On the opposite end of the room Nick and AJ sat flicking through channels as AJ held little Cedric nestled in his arms, a fresh bottle of breast milk in his hands. Kellie looked over and grinned widely before plopping down on the arm rest of the chair AJ sat in.

Alyssa sighed and drank half of her water bottle before throwing one leg over the arm of the sofa, then the other as she stretched out on the cushy sofa, throwing her legs across Nick's lap. "So what'd you boys do today?" She asked with a bright grin her breathing still slightly labored and a film of sweat over her skin.

Nick ignored her question as AJ answered her with a simple ‘nothing'. A moment later Nick looked over at her knowing that normally after a workout she'd be running to the shower to wash all the sweat off of herself. "You're not even going to shower?" Nick asked giving her a wayward sly glance. Alyssa snorted and cozied up to him.

"Do I smell?" She said trying to annoy him as best she could. Years ago on his solo tour she'd do something similar to this just to see what type of reaction she'd get from him.

He chuckled and shook his head, "Still trying to annoy me with that one eh?" He replied.

Alyssa smiled and sighed, "Yep. I didn't even work up that much of a sweat today." She answered back with a sigh. "I suppose I will though, since I smell so wretched." She added sarcastically making him chuckle at her. "Kels do you mind if I use your bathroom?" She asked not really wanting to go down the hall to their hotel room.

"No problem." Kellie answered back watching as both Nick and Alyssa stood. Kellie snickered and Nick rolled his eyes as he went to the door.

"I'm getting her some clothes..." He reminded as he went down to their hotel room grabbing himself some clothing as well. It made him chuckle a little bit to himself at how accustomed they'd grown even to just showering together and not even caring to take it anywhere past that. He came back into the hotel room making Kellie snicker again at the small stack of clothing he carried under his arm.

"Just don't fuck in the shower okay?" Kellie pleaded making Nick roll his eyes at her.

He knew it was more a jab at the fact that they'd purposely decided to suspend their sex life until the wedding. Sighing he let it slide as he made his way into the bathroom. It wasn't that he didn't entirely disagree with Alyssa's reasoning but at the same time he did think it was slightly bogus to be able to do certain things as mundane as a shower together and not have sex at all. As quietly as he could he slipped off his clothes and slipped into the shower with her.

"How did I guess you wouldn't have been able to stay away?" Alyssa asked as she turned herself halfway toward him.

Nick shrugged, "Because, hot water, and my naked fiancée is always an irresistible combination." He replied with a crooked smirk.

Alyssa felt a small blush creep up her cheeks as she smirked back at him. "Even knowing you won't get laid? Sounds very masochistic to me." She said keeping her resolve firm about their decision.

"I've been meaning to talk to you about that. I'm beginning to think it's not the best idea." He said his mind going in a million different directions as he watched her rinse the shampoo from her hair then switched places with him so he could wash himself as well.

"Is that because you're not getting laid on a regular basis at the moment or just that you've got a major case of blue..."

"Alyssa..." He interjected. "It's not that...well it's part of it but still I mean we've been living together and having sex for hmm almost four years now I think it's a little too late to regain any semblance of virtue here."

"It's not that I'm trying to reclaim my virtue or anything and you know that. I want us to really want each other on our wedding night. Like in a way that we haven't had in a while. I mean don't get me wrong or anything, it's amazing and I love it, but sometimes I just want to lighten the mood a little."

He smiled and nodded, "Yeah I get that but why can't we have fun now and still have fun later?" He countered trying to find some flaw in her logic that he knew was there to begin with and exploit the living hell out of it until she would give in.

Alyssa sighed and stepped in closer, "Because I've noticed that when we hold back for a little bit, the sex is always better when we've waited a little while in between. And it's our wedding night I kinda want it to be a little special as compared to our everyday life." She reasoned back as he wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her to him.

"So what is kosher in this situation you have us in?" He asked looking down at her with a crooked grin.

She smirked back at him and leaned up gently brushing their lips together. As the moments passed their kisses grew more and more intense. He tangled his fingers into her wet hair as she wrapped her hands under his arms and up to his shoulder blades.

They both were so caught up in the moment that neither of them heard the bathroom door open. "I'm not looking at anything I promise!" Kellie exclaimed partially shielding her eyes.

Alyssa broke the kiss and snickered, "Keller! Get out of here!" She exclaimed back.

Kellie grabbed the diaper bag she was looking for and looked back to them smiling a little at how close they were and the fact they seemed to be practically frozen in place waiting for her to leave. "Okay I'm going, sorry." She said making her departure.

Alyssa broke away from Nick reluctantly  and finished up her shower. They both stepped out and dried off getting dressed in silence. Just as she was about to walk out of the bathroom Nick stopped her by grabbing her arm. He pulled her to him and kissed her fiercely. He smirked when he broke the kiss and pressed their foreheads together. "You're getting off easy this time. Next time I'm not going to want to stop."

Alyssa rolled her eyes and smacked his shoulder. "Well then I guess for the next two weeks that I'm not going to try to tempt you."

He laughed a little and followed her out of the bathroom. "Yeah because your very existence isn't enough of a temptation." He quipped back as they resumed their earlier position on the sofa.

A few days later...

"Mom I know, don't worry about paying for a hotel room, I've got it all covered. I figured you wouldn't be able to afford it so I covered it." Nick spoke into his cell phone talking to his mother.

"Nick you don't need to pay for me. You've done that enough in your life." She said catching Nick off guard. Normally she'd always expected him to at least foot the bill for something whenever it dealt with her traveling for him. He hoped that maybe this was a very good sign that she was ready to be mature enough for them to have a relationship again.

"I know but the resort in Hawaii is a little pricey and I know money's an issue for you right now so just accept the generosity and repay me by behaving at the wedding."

"Nick..."

"I don't care Mom, Dad is going to be there, with Ginger and their little family. I'm counting on you to behave yourself. Dad's already gotten this little lecture that you two are to be civil to each other. One snide remark from either of you and you're both thrown out."

He heard Jane sigh relenting silently. "All right...I can't say that he won't do anything but I will be civil."

"Believe me I have people that are going to be watching the two of you very carefully and if you cause any semblance of trouble they will not hesitate to kick you out."

"I can't believe you're being so hard about this honey."

Nick rolled his eyes, "You've had a knack for destroying things since I was a kid...please don't do this on my wedding day. It's supposed to be my day with Ali and I will not have yours and dad's petty shit destroy it for us."

"Are you sure about getting married honey? I mean look at us your parents...I'd think that'd push you away from marriage forever."

Nick sighed and shook his head. "I'm not you. I've found the one I'm supposed to be with, she's my best friend Mom. She's never expected me to do anything but just to be myself. I know that sounds clichéd and corny but it's the damn truth. She's never cared about my job, my money or any of that. You knew her when she was younger and you liked her because she was always so kind and generous and never treated our family like we were different because of money or fame. I fell in love with her Mom, accept it, and move on she's going to be your daughter-in-law whether you like it or not. If you'd just let go of this twisted notion that every girl I fall for is somehow unworthy you'd be able to see that she's it. She's the one a mother should be proud of her son to find okay?" He explained standing firm against her questioning. He knew that she'd try to find any weaknesses and exploit them.

He knew that it was part of her twisted idea of protecting him from getting his heart broken again but it seemed as if she always hated the women who were good for him and liked the ones who did only end up hurting him. He'd seen it with the entire relationship with Mandy ad then again with Paris just a few years later.

He listened to her for a moment wondering what she was thinking. "Okay...I promise I'll be on my best behavior. I can't promise your father won't do something but I will ignore it for the few days we'll be around each other for the time we'll be there for the wedding."

"Thank you." Nick replied sincerely. After a few more minutes of small talk he rang off with her taking a deep breath before walking back into the back of the tour bus flopping down on the bed with Alyssa. He let out a huge sigh and buried his head in the comforter already worn out just from a simple phone conversation with his mother.

"That good eh?" Alyssa asked as she noted his behavior. "Are you sure you want her there?" Alyssa asked sincerely hoping that he was truly making the right decision. She knew she'd forgiven Jane for what had happened between them but that definitely didn't mean that she trusted her even in the slightest capacity either. She thought it was terribly dangerous to trust her any bit at all and if it had been her choice she would have merely just sent her an announcement of their nuptials, after the fact. She sighed resigning herself that it wasn't her decision that as much as she still felt uneasy about Jane being present that it was Nick's choice to have his family there or not. And soon, they would be her family too, one that she'd chosen to be a part of.

Nick rolled over and crawled up to her laying his head in her lap. She smiled down at him and began massaging her fingers over his forehead and temple knowing he was getting a full blown migraine just from his reaction. "Yeah I want her there. I want my parents to be proud of me is that so much to ask?" He asked with a dark tone to his voice.

Alyssa sighed and ran her slender fingers through his hair. "I know, and it's not so much to ask. I understand where you're coming from most definitely. Don't you think that if I could, I'd have my Dad be the one to walk me down the aisle?"

Nick nodded and looked up at her. "I know that's why I want them there. They know if they do one thing wrong that they're done. Just talking to her is so exhausting sometimes. You'd be proud though I told her that I don't give a shit what she thinks that I love you and she just better get fucking used to it."

Alyssa smiled at him and had him move so she could lay down with him. "Don't worry about it lover, it'll work out. Fate owes us one so I think we're going to be okay." She assured trying to convince the both of them. "Okay is it okay to change the subject now? I have something about the wedding to discuss."

"Shoot..."

"Bang." She quipped back making his face break out in a grin at her little joke. "Well you know how our song is Stellar right?"

"...Yeah..." He said slowly not knowing what she was getting at.

"Well I was thinking that we'd choose a song that fits us better now. Like that song was more for us earlier on in our relationship where things were different than they are now, like less intense and all that."

He thought for a moment his brow creasing pensively. "Okay what do you have in mind...? As long as it's not something cheesed out like Umbrella or something....It's not is it?"

Alyssa rolled her eyes, "No but I had thought about it but it doesn't really fit."

"I like our song..." He said not wanting to change it.

"Yeah but it just doesn't fit us anymore. I mean the song is all about new love. And we're anything but new in our relationship. We could go old school like my parents and use something completely off the wall and use Free Bird..." She joked making him give her a look.

"Hell no. If that's your suggestion I'm not agreeing to it one bit." He said giving her a look.

Alyssa giggled at him, "I was kidding geesh Carter." She shot back seeing him relax at her words. "No I was thinking of keeping it in the Incubus family." She said referring to how their song was by the band Incubus.

"What song?" He asked wanting to know now that he was intrigued.

"Dig. It's perfect, like go look up the lyrics it's jut so perfect for the stage we're at right now. Especially the part where it says ‘remind me that we'll always have each other when everything else is gone'. It's perfect for us. With where we are right now because when we're all old and wrinkly it will be just the two of us yeah we may have kids, grandkids and such but we need to remember why we chose this and that song does it perfectly."

He smiled and wrapped his arms around her pulling her to lay across his chest. "Thought about this much have you?"

Alyssa smiled and kissed his jawbone. "Yes, this is a big thing for us, we're getting married in less than a month and now all the little details are falling into place."

"See I told you not to stress about it months ago."

"Yeah, yeah I know, I just hope I don't turn into a bridezilla like Lori was, have Kellie and Olivia slap me if that happens."

"How about I just kiss you and remind you that it's just a wedding...and you'll never remember if one flower is out of place thirty years from now?" He replied making her smile at him.

"Sounds like we have a deal." She replied before leaning up to kiss him. He pulled away a few moments later making her get a confused look on her face. She saw the emotions run across his brow and he sighed making it dawn on her. "Sorry..."

"It's okay I'm getting used to not getting laid." He replied lying to her. She smirked and snuggled into his chest.

"Wanna hear something kind of hilarious to me at least?" She asked hoping this could at least make him laugh a little bit. He nodded and she raised up on one elbow. "Well you know how I was raised Catholic and all right?"

"Duh..."

She smirked and laughed, "In college I took a class about medieval religion which is pretty much Catholicism and the crusades and the Reformation and stuff like that."

"And what does that have to do with us not getting laid? Are you considering a nunnery instead of a wedding now?" He chided sarcastically.

"Let me finish and you'll find out." She replied smacking his chest. "No, just back then in Catholic law there was this thing called a marriage contract that listed all the duties and obligations for two people entering into a marriage. Sort of a binding contract."

"Like a business merger?"

"No like an agreement or compromise to do certain obligated behaviors. And the part that made me laugh was that there was a rule where it was the wife's obligation to satisfy her husband whenever he wanted it."

He smirked at her admission and replied, "Hmm...maybe I should rethink the whole religion thing..."

Alyssa snickered loudly. "I think they changed the rule though but it made me laugh. Figured it'd cheer you up about the no sex thing for now. Besides after we're married I'm kinda obligated to let you have your way with me." She added with a devious grin.

"Don't sound so enthused. You make it sound like it's a bad thing you're obligated to."

Alyssa giggled and traced little circles around his abdomen. "It's definitely not a bad thing. Remember I do happen to enjoy it too."

"Hmmm, maybe you need to refresh my memory there." He said turning them over so that he was laying on top of her.

She giggled a little and pushed him off of her, "I will after the wedding believe me you're going to get sick of me."

"That will never happen." He replied kissing her temple.

About a week and a half later...

Alyssa grinned widely as she placed her diamond stud earrings in seeing Nick standing behind her in his suit shirt and tie, the arms of his white shirt rolled up his forearms. "Are you excited about tomorrow night?" She asked referring to their earlier scheme.

He grinned at her and nodded, "Hell yeah..."

"Good. You better be excited." She shot back as she stood up showing him her dress, a simple off-white silk slip dress and her hair curled lightly.

He smiled and placed his hands on her hips. "You look amazing..." He said as he marveled at the simple-ness to her outfit. It made him want to know exactly what her dress would look like when they tied the knot in just a little over twenty-four hours. "I'm glad we decided to spring the wedding on them twelve hours earlier than they expect. It'll definitely throw off the tabloids that's for sure."

"I am too, that and being able to watch their faces as they see that it's not a cocktail party and rehearsal dinner but the actual wedding." She said with a bright grin. "So really tonight is your last night as a single man."

He brought his hands up her back and pressed his forehead to hers closing their eyes. "Took us long enough didn't it?" He said joking making her grin at him in response.

Just then Kellie walked in rolling her eyes at the two of them, holding Cedric to her chest. "Jesus you're not even married yet and you're disgusting. It's going to be a whole other level of nasty cuteness with you isn't it?"

Alyssa giggled hard as well as Nick as they looked over at her grinning like idiots. AJ walked in a moment later and roll his eyes as well. "Please tell me we weren't this bad after we got married?" He said directing his question at his wife.

"You two were worse, all cute and pregnant." Alyssa quipped back as she got her clutch and the four of them walked out of the suite and to the patio of the hotel where the co-ed party was to be held. Everyone grinned as Nick and Alyssa walked in, their hands clasped tightly together as they moved through the crowd seamlessly never parting their hands as they hugged and greeted their friends and family.

Jane came up a moment later and asked to have a moment with Alyssa alone. Nick gave her a look then turned to Alyssa who nodded and let go of his hand and leaned over giving him a quick peck on the lips. "What did you want to talk about?" Alyssa asked after they had detached themselves from the crowd.

Jane sighed and gave Alyssa her best apologetic look that she could muster. "I wanted to apologize..." She started but stopped when Alyssa held up her hand.

"I don't want to hear it. Tonight is a happy night and I don't want to ruin it by talking about the past and how things were between us. We're going to be family soon and I would really like to put all that nastiness behind us." She stated giving her a look.

Jane nodded and held her hand out to Alyssa as a sign of peace. Alyssa shook her head smiling and moved forward and hugged her. Jane looked over Alyssa's shoulder seeing Nick watching the exchange and she teared up slightly before breaking apart and smiling at Alyssa. "I know this won't mean much now, but I'm so happy he has you."

Alyssa stood there taken aback by Jane's statement. "Well thank you. I hope you can find it in your heart to be at least a small part of our life. Especially when we try to have children. I know he'd never want to deny you your right as a grandmother." She replied as they nodded at each other finally making their peace with each other. "Now come on this is a party, so have some fun okay? It's not everyday that your eldest son gets married." She added making Jane smile and go back to the crowd.

Nick came walking over and wrapped his arms around Alyssa's waist from behind "You made her cry." He whispered.

"I know, it was odd to see that."

"Hey at least it proves she's not completely devoid of emotion." He replied making Alyssa laugh and turn in his arms. She leaned up and kissed him sweetly both of them smiling into the kiss only to be interrupted as everyone in the party started whooping and hollering their approval. The broke apart and laughed at everyone before immersing themselves with their friends and family.

End Notes:
thanks for reading! lemme know what ya'll thought ok? awesome! have an awesome weekened!
Chapter 35: The Death Of Singledom by Teri
Author's Notes:

ta-da! It's the wedding chapter! Now this is just the lead up and the ceremony so enjoy! The wedding night and reception are next up! Also here is the DRESS! It's perfect for Alyssa and all my beta's agreed lol!

Thanks everyone for reading! And it's FINALLY here...only took me four stories to get to this point! lol!

Chapter Thirty-Five: The Death of Singledom

Alyssa stirred in her sleep rolling over to see that Nick was no longer beside her, her hands coming in contact with a simple note on his pillow. She smiled and took the paper reading his note.

See you tonight. Love you.

~ Always,
Nick

She set the note aside and got up running to the bathroom to take her shower and get ready for the day of hanging out with the girls before the surprise nuptials that night. She got out of the shower wrapping herself in a large fluffy bathrobe hearing a knock at the door. She went to it letting Olivia in. "So are you ready to party for your last 24 hours a single gal?" Olivia asked with a bright smile, Angela following close behind her, her hands on her protruding belly.

For a moment Alyssa almost lost her wits just thinking about it finally being here that she nearly felt herself ready to blab the entire plan to them. She held back though, knowing that their surprise was all part of the plan as well. "Yeah I think I'm going to be all right. Rehearsal yesterday was so odd, I'm totally ready for the rehearsal dinner tonight."

"Where's Nick?" Angela asked noting his absence from the room.

"Went out, probably golfing with his boys for the day. Chris and Aaron told me that's what they had wanted to do.  One of his big send off's that they wanted to do for him. Drinking and golf. You know guy stuff." Alyssa replied smirking at her sister.

Angela sat holding her stomach and grinned. "It's crazy that it's all happening. The last Monroe to get married."

"Hey! Uncle Mark's kids aren't married yet so I'm hardly the final Monroe to get hitched." Alyssa shot back reminding Angela of her cousins.

"I know but you're the only adult Monroe at the moment who hasn't gotten married. The girls just got in by the way. Ginny, Kate, Kaylee and Maggie." Angela added.

Alyssa smiled brightly and sighed. "Seems like everyone's here then." She remarked her smile fading only slightly wishing her father could be there to share it with her. "You two know your mission though right? Mom does too."

"Yes keep Jane and Bob far, far away from each other and keep them both away from any booze."

"Yes, exactly even though we're actually doing a non-alcoholic wedding. I don't want to have people getting so sloshed and saying things they'll be embarrassed about later. And with Alex, and you being pregnant Angie I didn't want to have alcohol for everyone else and leave you two and the kids out. I didn't think it would be fair so Nick and I opted for Martinelli's sparkling ciders."

"That's a really nice idea Al." Olivia remarked. "You two really thought of everything didn't you?"

Alyssa shrugged and sat down, "Yeah I mean, we love our friends, and our families no matter how weird they are." She said with a sly smile. "So we wanted everyone to really just enjoy themselves and have fun to let it really be a party to remember."

"Well let's get you dressed, manicured, pedicured and get a massage for you so you can also enjoy the next couple of days just as much as the rest of us!" Olivia replied making the girls grin.

Meanwhile...

"You so hooked it!" Nick shouted through his laughter at Chris.

Chris shook his head and acted like he was going to throw his club clear across the fairway. This only served to make the rest of them laugh even harder. "I don't know why you fucking decided on golf man. Couldn't we have just gone bowling or something I'm at least partially okay at?"

Nick shrugged, "We're in Hawaii man, suck it up and enjoy the weather it's fucking awesome today."

Aaron smirked and looked over at his brother then to his brother's friends, all of his normal party friends there. "Dude nothing is going to kill your mood is it?"

Nick smiled and looked at his younger brother, "Just wait until you're about to get married, nothing will be able to phase you. I'm happy okay, I have my friends to hang with, our parents seem to be okay in the same hemisphere as each other, all is pretty fucking good right now."

Rob snorted and laughed at him, "Still I'd never though I'd see the day when you, the notorious bachelor would be okay with going through this whole wedding business." He remarked taking a long sip of his beer.

Nick sat back after taking a drink as well and sighed. "Guys it's Ali...ya'll knew this was coming eventually."

"Still you've been engaged over a year right? I mean I thought you were delaying setting a date because you were getting cold feet." Chris reasoned back.

Brent sighed, "Yeah but with the type of shit they went through last year it's understandable that they waited." He reasoned back.

"Exactly." Nick smiled at him. "I mean come on it's not like this was never going to happen or I kept putting it off. It's just some shit happened and we had to deal with it and move past all of that first before we could just enjoy ourselves and get to this point." He explained as they all drove off towards the green. Nick looked over at Clark and smiled. "I'm glad you came with us..." He said patting his shoulder.

Clark looked at him and smiled back. "Had to, even if it was just to make sure that you didn't get too shitfaced for the wedding tomorrow. Ali would castrate me with a wooden spoon if I let you show up to the ceremony horridly hungover."

Nick chuckled, "One beer man and you're all over my case." He scoffed with a joking grin that was contrary to his tone. He definitely did not plan on doing much drinking at all. Especially since he didn't want to be sloshed for the surprise ceremony that night. It gave him some sort of sick satisfaction that none of his friends nor any of his family or Alyssa's family knew of what was going down that night.

Clark smirked and smacked his shoulder. "I know, just still I know Ali would kill us both."

Nick shrugged. "No worries man." He said finishing off his beer and setting it back in the cup holder.

"So what does Ali have planned today?" Aaron asked changing the subject.

Nick's shoulders shrugged and he shook his head, "I'm assuming girl's day with all the spa stuff going on but other than that I have no fucking clue. All I know is, is that the girls are all hanging with her so I'm sure she's going to be on estrogen overload. I probably will expect a phone call from her in about an hour or so with her complaining and asking me to send someone to tone down the girliness.

"Not much into the frilly stuff eh?" Rob asked.

"She's a tomboy always has been, you should hear the friggin stories that Mary has told me about trying to get her to wear a dress as a kid."

"But she's okay with wearing em now."

"Yeah but that's only because I like it. If I preferred her in jeans and a tee-shirt she'd wear it more often than she dresses up. That and I think she's learned to appreciate that she looks pretty awesome all dolled up so..." Nick explained using his hands to highlight his point as he spoke animatedly.

"So that's why she's wearing a dress at the ceremony?"

"Well that's one tradition I'm glad she kept, I'm excited to see what it looks like, like the castaways and such were nice so I can only imagine what she chose." He said thinking about how in just a few short hours he was going to see her walking down the aisle all dressed in white.

Late that night...

Alyssa looked down at her hands seeing them bare, no jewelry on them whatsoever and watched as they shook slightly from her nervousness. She looked over her shoulder seeing her dress on the headless mannequin across the room and sighed. She felt like a yo-yo her emotions going up and down every moment, from excitement to terror. What if she forgot what she had to say? What if she forgot everything and just stood there dumbfounded? It was times like these she really wished that her father was here. If for nothing else than to just look at her with his bright green eyes, full of pride and love and hug her, assure her that everything was going to be fine.

Just then Mindy, the wedding planner came walking in with her clipboard. "Miss Monroe?" She asked with a grin.

Alyssa whirled around and looked at her expectantly. "Yes?"

"Everyone should be arriving soon. Nick said that he wanted you to have this letter? He said you had one for him as well. He wanted to exchange them early on so that he could mingle with everyone and soften the blow of the surprise until the ceremony." She explained in a calm soothing tone that immediately soothed the mess of butterflies in her stomach.

Alyssa got up and handed Mindy the envelope. "It's our vows, we're doing traditional vows at the ceremony and all but we wanted special ones that we only know about." She explained as Mindy took the envelop from her. "Make sure that gets to Nick and Nick alone okay?"

"No problem. Everything's in place all we're waiting for is for all the guests to realize the surprise." She said as she left the small cabana where Alyssa was getting ready for the ceremony that was to take place just about 20 feet away from her in the large tent that was full of chairs and Christmas lighting hanging from the tops inside and white and dark purple colored roses and calla lilies accenting everything from the bouquets, the garland, chairs and the arch near the altar that held the ocean as it's backdrop the moon reflecting out over the black water like a mirror. She sat back down and opened the letter smiling at his messy handwriting and how hard it seemed that he tried to clean it up for her.

Alyssa-

So, when I sat down to write this I couldn't think of what I should tell you that you don't already know about me. But then I realized (mind you this was several hours later) that I didn't need to share anything you didn't know about me as a person but really how I see you, and our life together. And that had me even more stumped on what to tell you. So I got out your dad's guitar and just started playing. You know how that clears my head some times. And well this is what came out...I hope you like it.

Honey you are a rock
Upon which I stand
And I come here to talk
I hope you understand

That green eyes, yeah the spotlight, shines upon you
And how could, anybody, deny you

I came here with a load
And it feels so much lighter, now I've met you
And honey you should know, that I could never go on without you

Green eyes

Honey you are the sea
Upon which I float
And I came here to talk
I think you should know

That green eyes, you're the one that I wanted to find
And anyone who, tried to deny you must be out of their mind

Cause I came here with a load
And it feels so much lighter, since I met you
Honey you should know, that I could never go on without you

Green eyes
Green eyes

Ohohohohooooo
Ohohohohooooo

Ohohohohooooo
Ohohohohooooo

Honey you are a rock
Upon which I stand

That's how I see you. How I've always seen you. You've been my friend for longer than I can really think of. I know we didn't plan on being friends at all when we met all those years ago. I know I certainly didn't think too much of one of my sister's friends. But I think it's because of how we communicated back then, the letters that turned to phone calls that turned to emails and more phone calls. It showed me a lot that you weren't just some dumb kid but a good person who didn't really give a crap what I did for a living but cared about me as a friend.

You've been the only one to break me down, to see who I really am inside and I thank you for that. You've made me see that I can be okay in my own skin, to accept myself for the person I am.

We've been through so much in our lives together and apart. Now we're getting married. How insane is that? I mean seriously I don't think either of us ever would have seen this coming years ago. But as insane as it is, I'm not nervous about it at all. Ever since I asked you to marry me I've had this overwhelming calm about it whenever I'd think of us doing this.

Maybe it's because I'm finally ready to be that guy, the happily married guy. Whatever it is I completely think it's your doing. I know I told you that I already consider you to be my wife and I do...completely and fully. Our life has been so much more settled now than it ever has been and I owe you a great deal of thanks, for not giving up. I know it came close so many times to both of us just wanting the whole deal to end but I'm glad we've stuck things out and fought for it.

I know this didn't seem like much of a set of vows or anything. But these are my thoughts and I had to get them out before we get married. I do promise you that I'll always be there for you, in any capacity that I'm capable of, to be your partner, your friend and to do the best I can to shield you from any negativity. I love you and I'll never get tired of saying that because you're the one Liss, you always have been.

So don't be nervous tonight, I know you're sitting there your stomach probably full of butterflies thinking you're going to completely forget what to do or say. Don't be nervous, it's just one night. I'll be out there waiting for you. Love you always.

Nick


Alyssa smiled as she folded the letter, her earlier nervousness had completely faded from her consciousness. She heard a loud roar of surprise coming from the tent not far from her. She smiled knowing that the surprise must be getting underway. She looked at the small numbers on her phone displaying the time. In just 45 minutes...she was going to trade in being a Miss for a Mrs.

About ten minutes earlier Nick stood at the top of the patio looking down onto the scene in front of him. The tent, and cabana out on the white sandy beach, the only lights coming from the hotel behind him and the moon above him. He smiled at Mindy as she walked up handing him his envelop just as she had done with Alyssa before. He grinned, thanking her and opened it seeing her neat cursive script, a stark contrast to the chicken scratch he called his own hand writing.

Nick ~

Who would have thought we've made it this far? I know I definitely didn't see this when I turned 21 or hell even before you proposed that we'd ever get to this point! I know I definitely thought about it...more times than I'll ever be able to count.

It's times like these that makes me think of my dad. I wish I could have seen the look on your face when my dad took you ring shopping. I'm sure it was priceless. That was always his way of setting things right, to plan for when he would be gone. I wish now more than ever he could see us. See how happy we are and that we're going to be a family some day.

You were really the only guy he really ever approved of. I think it's because of our friendship. He saw that I cared more about the person than the celebrity persona. And that's true, I've never cared for that side of you the way I care about the real you. It just took me longer than most would have to really see its depths and appreciate it.

I love you, you know that I do. Sometimes I feel the need to say it because of all the times I should have said it, wanted to say it but was too afraid to. That's the first thing I vow to you. That I'll never be afraid to tell you how I feel ever again. You've proved to me more than once that I can love and trust you more than any person I've ever known.

That makes you even more dear to me than you think. You've been there, through practically everything in my life, you watched me become an adult but I don't think you realize what I got to witness in the process. I've watched you transform from the dorky boy who was nice to me at his sister's birthday party, to the party animal that you were in your early twenties to this kind and generous and incredibly humble man that it shocks the hell out of me to think of how much you've grown as a person over the years.

I hope that in some ways that I was a part of that transformation. If the present is of any indication then the next decades of our life together are going to show us growing in ways we never thought of before. As a married couple, and hopefully sooner than we think, as parents too. You're really the only man on the planet I could ever see myself having children with. It's because I know that you will be a damn good father, one that cares more about the title of parent than the accolades and trappings of your career.

I also vow never to let either of our egos ever get in the way of our marriage, or our eventual parenting. I know both of us can be pretty damn stubborn when we're set on a particular idea but hopefully time will wear us both down to where compromise is more often used than argument.

It surprises me sometimes, just how we evolved to this point. But nothing can kill my happiness about it. You've single-handedly been the best influence in my life for over ten years now. And I realize more than ever it's because you belong here, next to me to see us both through all the trials and tribulations that life can throw at us. You're my rock and I love you exponentially for it.

All my love,
Ali


Nick took a breath and folded up the paper placing it in his back pocket as he walked down to the beach. He stood inside the tent off to the side seeing everyone make their way in the looks of confusion were priceless to him, seeing all the chairs lined up and the archway at the end of the long strip of sand covered with petals at the center of the scene.

Mary looked at the large stack of envelops and opened one seeing a message written in a deep purple on the pristine ivory card, much like the invitation she'd received months before. She read it then looked over at Nick and gave him a sideways glance. "You planned this?" She asked with a grin.

He nodded, "Your daughter's idea." He replied giving her a hug.

"Well this is a pleasant surprise." She replied back. The two of them grinning at each other. "I'm glad I dressed for the occasion." She added noting the her dress and her flip flops. "Good thing you told all of us that this party was on the beach or we'd all be wearing dress shoes in the sand!" She smirked back. "When's the reception?"

"Tomorrow most of the day from like ten until we all crash I guess." He shrugged and chuckled while he stood with her mingling with the guests as everyone arrived. He loved watching the shock, and then the pleasant laughter rolling through everyone once they realized how easily they'd been fooled into thinking it was just another party. Nick hugged Olivia as she came up tearing up slightly and he directed her as well as Kellie, Lori, and Leslie to the cabana where they would change their clothes for the ceremony.

A few minutes later he found himself doing the same for Aaron, Chris, Brent and Mike as they went to the separate cabana to finish getting ready for the ceremony. Mary had smiled and assured him that she'd make sure along with Mindy that everyone would be seated and ready to go whenever they were and inform everyone when the reception was to be held. He nodded and headed out seeing Kellie and Lori just ducking into Alyssa's cabana. He smiled and made his way over to his own with his friends in tow.

In Alyssa's small cabana the five ladies all stood hugging each other and marveling at the clever ruse. "Seriously Ali, that was perfection, how on earth did you keep it from us for all these months and hell even today every time we mentioned that you were getting married tomorrow!"

Alyssa shrugged and hugged them all. "This is how Nick and I wanted it. Now let's get ready! Is Clark coming?"

Lori nodded, "He wanted to give us time to change." She said as the girls all began to disrobe and put on their dresses. Each of them got to choose their own style of ankle length plum fabric. Olivia chose a simple one shouldered empire waist her hair clipped to one side to show off the dress. Kellie's was a halter that had thin straps that hooked together at her neck then criss-crossed down her back. Lori's was a simple strapless dress that hugged her lithe frame. And lastly Leslie wore a classy off the shoulder dress with an empire waist that if it wasn't for it's deep plum color would have looked like it was straight out of a Jane Austen novel. Once all the girls were dressed they busied themselves helping Alyssa make the final adjustments to her own look. The same flowy dress she'd picked out weeks before hand, her hair in large loose flowing curls that framed her shoulders gracefully. Simple earrings and no necklace on her neck finished out her simple yet completely classy look of a bride-to-be.

Clark joined them moments later his smile widening as he saw his baby sister all dressed up in her pleated white gown, her plum painted toenails peeking just barely out of the bottom whenever she moved. "So everyone is going barefoot I see." He said with a grin and took off his shoes dropping the sandals by a chair.

All the girls moved out of the cabana lining up where they were supposed to go, Leslie with Mike, Lori with Brent, Kellie with Chris and Olivia with Aaron. At that moment Clark took Alyssa's hand and led her to the back of that line and looked at her. "What? Do I have something in my teeth?" She asked wondering why he was staring at her so intently.

"You look amazing sis..." He said simply giving her a look.

She smiled and hugged him. "Thank you so much. For this...I love you." She said hugging her brother tightly.

He sighed his voice cracking as he felt himself choke up at the mere thought of his baby sister finally walking down the aisle. "Dad would be so proud of you."

Alyssa broke the kiss and sighed, holding back her tears for the moment. "You really think so?"

Clark looked at his watch grinning, it was exactly twelve midnight. He smiled back at her. "Of course, we all are. Now let's get you married." He said as they turned and watched as all of the girls had made it down the aisle with grace.

At the end of the aisle Nick stood there smiling at everyone, Aaron talked to him making him laugh the momentary levity distracting him from the change in music. A soft guitar music began to play as Alyssa and Clark appeared just 20 feet away. Nick's breath caught in his throat as he looked over her, the simple-ness to her dress seemed to make the rest of her glow in the low lights of the room. He smiled brightly as their eyes connected and she mouthed the word ‘hi' to him. He watched in silent awe as they moved toward him only being able to tear their eyes from each others for Alyssa to look at her family and for Nick to give a quick glance at Clark who's face was already stained with tears.

Once they reached him Nick stepped forward and hugged Clark. "Thanks man..." He whispered to him.

"No problem brother." Clark said back as they broke apart. Nick nodded and took Alyssa's hand lacing their fingers.

They turned to the minister and glanced at each other smiling for a brief moment before turning back again waiting for the ceremony to begin. "Welcome everyone, friends and family, tonight we've all been gathered by happy surprise to witness the union of Nick and Alyssa." Everyone listened as the minister continued his speech about love and the bonds of marriage that were going to take place that night. "Who gives this woman to this man?" He asked as Clark stood behind them.

"Her family does." He said making Alyssa turn her head to smile at him as he made his way back over to sit with Mary who was smiling contently at the scene before her.

The minister smiled and continued saying the obligatory line of ‘speak now or forever hold your peace'. When there was more silence he continued again with his pleasant resolute tone. "Nickolas Gene Carter, do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to be your friend and partner through sickness and health, for richer or for poorer, for all the days of your life?"

Nick smiled and glanced at Alyssa, "I do." He spoke firmly.

"And do you Alyssa Mackenzie Monroe take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to be your friend and partner through sickness and health, for richer or poorer, for all the days of your life?"

Alyssa took a breath and smiled, "I do." She said happily a smile breaking out on her face.

"Do you have the rings?" He asked as he smiled at them. At that moment Olivia and Aaron both moved up placing the rings on the bible that the minister held out for them. "Nick repeat after me, with this ring I thee wed."

Nick took the one meant for Alyssa and smiled at her as they turned to each other reciting the vows that millions of couples had recited for thousands of years. He smiled at her as he spoke the words making her grin even more brightly than before, "With this ring, I thee wed." As he said the words he slipped the band onto her finger seeing the diamonds glint in the light.

Alyssa did the same taking the ring meant for him, following the minister's repeated instructions. "With this ring, I thee wed." She said slipping the less ornate band onto Nick's ring finger. Both of them stood, their eyes locked hearing everything go on around them but their consciousnesses were solely focused on each other, and the promises they'd just made legally binding them together, forever.

"With the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife...You may now kiss the bride." The minister finished as Nick dropped Alyssa's hands and went to cup her face as their lips met in a sweet soulful kiss, her hands flying to his triceps as they broke apart smiling brightly at each other and pressing their foreheads to each other's. "I am very pleased to introduce to you, Nick and Alyssa Carter." The minister announced making everyone clap and cheer at the announcement.

Alyssa and Nick looked around the room at all their friends, and loved ones' smiling faces as they began to walk down the aisle hand in hand in their first few moments as husband and wife.

 

 

 

(**) Green Eyes - Coldplay

End Notes:
Thanks for reading!
Chapter 36: All You Need Is Love by Teri
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the huge delay, life has been hectic and writer's block has not helped one bit! First of all I have just a few days of school left, just started my fulltime internship/job as a line cook for a brandnew restaurant. So I hope after this week with just work being in the way of taking up my time that I'll have more time to write (and won't need to study anymore woo!) lol. OH! And a very HUGE thank you goes to Darby (cabybakes) for all her help with the speeches! Since she's been in quite a few weddings, she shared some of her speeches that she's given and I "borrowed" a few lines that were simply awesome. So thank her by going and giving her some awesome reviews on her story Casual! Enjoy everyone!

Chapter Thirty-Six: All You Need Is Love

Nick and Alyssa were whisked away to another part of the beach, seeing everyone except the wedding party and their immediate families for pictures. The minister led them over to the side where he had the marriage license for them to sign. "Be sure to have this filed as soon as possible, once you've signed it."

Both of them nodded and Alyssa moved in taking the pen signing her name, grinning as she did so. She thought to herself how sneaky her surprise was. How her mother, sister, and two best friends had gone earlier in the day to the local government offices to not only pick this up but to make an all-important change.

She moved to the side handing the pen over to Nick. He took it smiling at her. He moved to the side writing his name then glanced over to her signature, pausing when he didn't see the normal "M" of her last name and instead the fine script had curved into a C, and led to spelling out his last name. He looked over at her, recognition strong in his eyes.

She smirked at him and kissed the hinge of his jaw, "I didn't want to wait until after the tour to change my name." She whispered before taking him over to where their families were. Andre made quick work of the group, taking photo after photo, each time the crowd getting smaller until it was just the bride and groom standing together.

Alyssa grinned up at Nick as Andre took another few shots of them together for the evening, planning on getting the majority of the candid pictures done the following morning with the wedding party, families and all of the guests.

"All right you two, I think I'm done here for tonight." He said with a grin as Nick looked and nodded his gratitude.

Nick looked back over at Alyssa who was staring out over the water. He took her hand in his lacing their fingers. She looked over at him and a slow smile spread over her face. "Come on..." He said leading her away from the hotel.

She stopped short and he turned to her. "Um...where are we going? My room's back this way. I have the presidential suite." She reminded thinking that the plan was to go back into the main part of the hotel for their wedding night.

He smiled and shook his head. He always kind of liked surprising her like this, to where it would be something she may not expect. "Yeah I know, but I did something better than that for us. Come on..."

Alyssa smirked and walked along side him. "You're not going to do something extraordinarily cheesy right? Nothing like sex on the beach at moonlight because seriously honey, I don't want to completely ruin my dress, nor get sand in places that are a little difficult to clean."

Nick snickered and shook his head as he took her away from the beach along a stone pathway. "Christ woman, seriously you think I'm that corny?"

Alyssa's face crumbled in laughter and she shrugged, "I don't know you've surprised me before with insane romanticism so I'm guessing..." She trailed off when she saw a small beach bungalow in front of them. "Is that ours?"

"For tonight, yeah." He replied leading her by the hand behind him up the small stairs to the porch and leading her to the door. "I figured some extra privacy was in order."

"Am I really that loud then is that why you wanted the extra privacy?" She joked back. He smiled and opened the door and pulled her inside. "What no carrying me over the threshold?"

He laughed and pushed the door closed and pushed her up against it bringing their mouths just mere inches apart. "You said you didn't want corny..." He replied before pressing his mouth to hers.

She sighed into the kiss and slid her hands up the front of his vest up to his tie pulling it from its spot nestled between his shirt and vest. She wrapped the black material around her hand and pulled him in closer to her until they were pressed completely against each other.

He held her body against the door his hands at the sides of her ribs as he moved his mouth away from hers breathing in the sweet scent of her perfume and trailed his mouth down her jaw to her neck. She arched her neck against his mouth letting out a breathy moan and moving her hands to his neck making goosebumps rise over his skin from the cold platinum and diamonds of her rings on her left hand. She pushed him away after a moment taking her hands down the front of him and began unbuttoning his vest. He smiled and placed his hands over hers.

He took her hand and turned them walking her to the bedroom smiling as she hugged him from behind kissing along his shoulders through the material of his vest and shirt. She leaned up and placed her chin on his shoulder. "I love you." She said quietly as if it were some great secret between them. He smiled wider and repeated the same as she reached around him untucking his shirt and slipping the vest from his shoulders.

Alyssa walked around him unbuttoning his shirt as he pulled her near him wrapping his arms around her and moving up to the straps of her dress from underneath her arms. Before he could move them much if at all Alyssa had already made short work of his shirt and was pushing it off his shoulders and onto the floor behind them leaving him a simple white v-neck undershirt.

At that moment Nick turned her around facing away from him, his mouth latching onto her collarbone as his hands moved to the button at the back of her dress that hid the beginnings of the zipper. He unzipped her dress seeing the clasp of her white bra behind the fabric. He kissed his way up her neck sucking on her pulse point. As soon as he'd unzipped her dress she turned around holding the dress to her so it wouldn't fall off from her movement.

She smiled coyly and replied to his questioning glance. "I'll be right back." She watched his knowing smirk grow across his face as she bent down grabbing his shirt and going over to the bathroom glancing to him as she closed the door.

Once inside the bathroom she turned and saw the basket on the vanity grinning figuring that the girls had something to do with this. She saw the note and smirked:

Figured this would come in handy

K, L and O


Alyssa smiled seeing a garment bag for her dress and a small pink striped box. She opened it seeing the lingerie her mother had insisted on paying for earlier that day. She smiled wider and took off her dress slipping it into the garment bag along with her bra, and garter leaving her underwear on the bathroom floor. She took the garment, a sheer, embroidered eyelet baby doll chemise and a matching bikini panties. She slipped them on and took the white button down tux shirt pulling it on over her lingerie buttoning it fully.

She looked in the mirror and smiled then placed her left hand on the door handle freezing. She looked at her ring finger the two rings glinting back at her and that's when it finally hit her. She was a married woman....no longer a Miss but a Missus. She smiled and turned the knob seeing Nick sitting on the bed his hands in front of him, elbows on his knees as he twisted the ring around his finger examining it closely liking how simple  yet defined it was against his skin.

"Having the oh shit moment?" She asked making him look up at her surprised that she had so quietly slipped into the room.

"A little...it's crazy you know?" He remarked as she walked towards him he took in the shirt she was wearing and smiled.

"I do know...I had it myself a minute ago." Alyssa admitted making him nod. "So how's it feel to be a married man?" She said as she placed her hands on his shoulders.

He grinned as he moved his eyes over her. "Pretty damn good so far." He replied pulling her to him. He stood and kissed her slowly as she inched up his shirt. He broke the kiss and let her lift the shirt up over his head tossing it across the room. She moved her hands to his pants as he moved his to the shirt both of them unbuttoning  and undoing the garments. Nick's breath caught in his throat at the sheer white material underneath the tuxedo shirt. "Wow..." He managed to mutter as she shed the shirt to the floor.

She chuckled and pushed him onto the bed making him lay back. She grabbed the material of his pants at his ankles and pulled them down and off of him leaving him in his black boxers. Alyssa climbed up onto the bed straddling his waist and leaned down smiling at him as he leaned up as well kissing along her neck. She sat back pulling her hands on his shoulders and pulling him up to sit with her.

Alyssa bent her knees, planting her feet behind him and wrapped her arms around his neck and grinned at him as he skimmed the backs of his fingers down her sides to her hips up her thighs and the back down to her hips underneath the short material of her chemise. She smiled at him but that faded in favor of a quiet gasp as he pulled her closer against him grinding her hips against his gently but with great force. She smirked and leaned in and kissed him ferociously biting his lower lip making him pull her hips sharper against his in instinctual reaction to the intensity of her kiss.

He broke the kiss needing to breath, his lungs burned feeling like he'd been holding his breath for the longest time when in reality had been mere seconds. He looked at her face and smirked the moved to her neck just under her chin making her tilt her head back to give him better access to it. She sighed and dug her toes into the top sheet on the bed. As he made his way down her neck his hands moved out from under the white sheer lingerie and back up her body to the outsides of her shoulders removing the thin straps from them.

Nick breathed her in as he kissed along her collarbone completely intoxicated by her scent and provoked to no end by the soft moans that fell from her mouth. Alyssa moved her hands between them crossing them in front of her and pulling up her lingerie pulling it up over her head and tossing it across the room. Nick smiled at her and let his eyes roam over her freely, without inhibition she let him stare. Wrapping his arms around her he twisted them around placing her head on the soft pillows that had been behind them and went to pull her bikini briefs off of her. She lifted her hips in response snickering slightly when he tossed them over his shoulder.

Her hands went to his boxers slipping them over his hips as his hands joined hers as well pushing them off to were he kicked them down to the end of the bed. As if almost on instinct her hand wrapped around him as he looked down at her meeting her eyes his hand already on the same path of it's own on her body. He watched her face tighten as he drew his hand across her giving her a small taste of what she was doing to him as well. Feeling their body heat rise he reluctantly pushed her hands away and pulled his own from her, not wanting to drive them to insanity from mere touching and give them both what they really wanted.

They didn't speak, but only maintained eye contact as he settled himself on her sighing as she wrapped her legs around his hips. He held himself on his elbows as he slid inside of her reveling in watching the range of emotions cross her brow. She grasped onto his shoulders as he began moving inside of her slowly, purposefully dragging out every movement just to torment the both of them.

Needing him closer she pulled on his back gently, and he lowered himself down to her taking both her hands in his left and placing them above her head, her right hand at the bottom of the pile, he kissed her then feeling the metal of her rings on his left hand as he was sure she felt the metal from his on hers. He moved faster feeling the need within them rise up higher and higher. She stared up at him removing her right hand from above her head to hold onto his arm that still lay, holding her left hand against the bed as they moved together, fluidly every moment and movement that passed brought them much closer to their climaxes.

He kissed along her jaw feeling her breathing get even shallower than before. She sighed as he kissed her mouth, the contact doing nothing to silence the growing volume of the sounds both of them were making. Alyssa broke the kiss arching her back against him and moaning rather loudly. Nick saw the look on her face knowing exactly what she was about to request. He moved harder against her making her gasp and clasp her legs tighter around him.

Finally she broke the contact between their hands and moved to clutch at his shoulders as he slipped his arms beneath her shoulders holding her up closer to him as he moved harder and faster feeling her body let go and a long low moan escape her mouth. He continued for a few moments then exploded against her kissing along her collarbone as he slowed his pace.

Hours later...

"Ali we should really get up and get a shower, or at least try to get a couple hours of sleep..." Nick tried to reason. He looked to the window momentarily seeing the sunlight streaming in and knew that there wouldn't be time to sleep with the sun already up high in the sky.

She giggled and kissed along his shoulder. "Sleep is so overrated." She retorted reminding him of the blissful hours they'd just spent together. Some was spent talking, about the future plans they had, other parts of the time they spent enjoying each other physically, just completely happy to have finally have taken the next step in their relationship.

He smirked and rolled her onto her side mirroring her himself. "Yes, but Mary and Clark will kill me for making you have dark circles under those eyes."

"Puh-lease like Clark and Lori came up for air at all the day after their wedding." She remarked making him laugh. "Or mom and dad? They always joked about sex around us so I'm pretty sure she was expecting that I wouldn't be getting much sleep."

"Or the fact that everyone is going to look at us and know we had sex..."

Alyssa at that point outright laughed at him, "And since when has every one knowing that you scored, ever been an embarrassment for you? Besides they all know we've had sex before, it's not like you married a virgin or something."

"Still...maybe we should skip it and just run off for a few days..." He suggested. It wasn't that he didn't want to spend time with his family, his friends or even his new family. It was simply his own selfish nature showing through. He didn't want to share Alyssa with anyone, friend, family, fan or colleague. For once he was incandescently and completely happy and he didn't want to do anything but stay in the moment, forever if he could.

"Oh yes because Jeff and Tim, not to mention the boys and the fans would totally love that idea right in the middle of a tour."

He sighed and gave her a look, "Okay...then can I tempt you with a shower? Figure we better milk all this alone time now because in about..." He looked over at the clock seeing it was already 10 AM... and the reception was in an hour. "Fuck..an hour...we're not going to get a second alone."

Alyssa got up and pulled him to stand with her, both of them still completely naked. "Come on, let's get showered and go party with our families. Besides what bride can say she gets to wear her dress twice?" She remarked as they made their way into the bathroom. They showered in the large shower kissing, talking and getting ready for the day. Once finished they each made themselves up as they had the previous night. Nick pulled on his clothing smirking to himself as he buttoned his shirt smelling the faint mixture of his cologne and Alyssa's perfume.

He glanced up seeing Alyssa walk out in her dress, her hair falling in soft curls like the night before. "I love that dress..." He said eyeing her with a prideful look on his face.

She grinned and swayed her hips from side to side making the light fabric swish over her feet. "I love it too. Something told me that you'd love it."

He stood and went to her placing his hands on her sides and stared at her for a moment, just marveling at the fact that she wasn't just his girlfriend, or fiancée, she was really now committed to him, she'd given him her promise of forever the night before and it made a thrill run through him just at the thought of it. He took her hand and lead her out of the little bungalow chuckling at how the sand and grass were warm against their bare feet, having opted against shoes for the ceremony and not remembering to bring any with them on their walk to the bungalow the night before.

Luckily the party was held inside the same space as the tent from the night before, the walls of the tent had been taken away leaving only the top and it's supports still in place. Tables had been strewn around with chairs draped in plum slipcovers and an ivory ribbon around it. Kellie was the first to spot them, a wide grin spread across her face as she watched them approach the crowd of loved ones. She held Cedric to her chest with one hand and wolf whistled at them making them stop for a moment and start laughing as everyone's attention turned to them.

"Figures she'd do something like that. At least we didn't get the cheesy introduction most weddings have." Nick remarked under his breath just loud enough for Alyssa to hear and snicker in response.

"If she would have done it like that, she'd have done it Oprah style, free cars and all." Alyssa quipped back.

"I'm glad she didn't, I would have felt compelled to jump on a couch with a triumphant fist pump for good measure." He retorted watching as Alyssa laughed at his joke her cheeks flushing red as they were descended upon by Aaron and Olivia.

"Well good morning..." Olivia said with a Cheshire grin. Alyssa rolled her eyes and hugged her sister and then hugged her brother-in-law, her thoughts making her shake her head at the mere words that crossed her mind. Brother-in-law...so odd. She thought to herself bemused at the change in dynamic.

"Hey sis..." He said to her with a grin. "Have a good night?" He asked wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Alyssa rolled her eyes and punched his arm. "Be nice, I'm a married woman now." She shot back making him chuckle at her. The four of them smiled as they joined the larger crowd hugging their immediate families.

Jane hugged Alyssa close and whispered, "You look really beautiful." She said with an air of sincerity that made Alyssa step back in shock. Alyssa shrugged and smiled, nodding her thank you as they moved down the line, hugging Bob, Ginger, the siblings each giving their congratulations

Then Alyssa's family dominated Clark holding his sister for a moment before smacking Nick on the shoulder. "Be good to my sister."

Nick rolled his eyes and put his hand on his shoulder, "You know I will. Besides we're family now, you're stuck with me dude."

"Oh joy..." He shot back grinning at him emphasizing his sarcasm even more than the obvious tone in his voice.

Mary hugged Nick closely, "I've always thought of you as a son you know...it's nice that it's come to fruition." She whispered in his ear making him hold her just a little tighter.

Then Elettra came over a bright grin on her face hugging the both of them wishing them well and gushing over them appropriately. Once through the family they got a chance to breath and everyone made the rounds, Nick's bandmates hanging back slightly waiting for the opportune moment to swing in and give the couple their congratulations.

Nick led Alyssa over to their table where their party were already beginning to gather, "Hey losers." Nick remarked to their closest friends.

Chris laughed and smacked his shoulder. "Hey you two." He said smiling. "Happy to have it over with?"

Alyssa smiled, "Yeah, it's nice, the pressure is off now. Seriously if you and Britt ever decide to get married, elope...the details will annoy the hell out of her. By the way where is she? I saw her last night."

"She's talking with your friend Lindsay. Which by the way is she dating Aaron? He seems to be pretty fond of her."

Alyssa chuckled and shook her head, "He wishes. She's my research assistant and a former student of mine. Once I'm done with my PhD program and move up to grad level teaching I'm hoping she'll take my place."

"Wow, that's pretty awesome, so she's like your protégé?"

"Pretty much." Alyssa shrugged smiling. She hugged Brent and Mike then went over to her girls, leaving Nick momentarily. "Hello ladies"

The girls all gushed over her and the wedding band. "I'm so happy for you." Kellie spoke sincerely.

"I think we all are. So how's it feel to be a married woman?" Olivia giggled.

"Ask me in like 40 years and I'll tell you how it feels then. Right now it's just nice and relaxing, we had our wedding night, and it's technically still our wedding day so we kind of cheated in a way, we get two wedding nights out of the deal."

"Yeah but you'll be on a plane tonight remember? Backstreet Boys....World tour?" Kellie retorted making her sigh.

Lori chuckled and smacked Kellie's arm. "Don't be such a buzz kill." She remarked making all the girls laugh.

Alyssa moved over to Leslie and hugged her. "You're really my little sister now...you okay with that?"

Leslie smiled and nodded as they broke apart. "More than okay. I don't think any of us would have been okay if Nick had married anyone else but you. It just wouldn't have felt right you know?"

Alyssa nodded and grinned. "This is crazy...but I think I am being called..." She replied seeing Nick motion to her. "First dance I guess." She said as the DJ announced from his spot under the ramada 15 feet away from the tent creating a sand dance floor of sorts between the two spaces.

Nick took her hand and pulled her in close as the music began to play. Alyssa glanced up at him grinning brightly as she felt him bring their hands to rest against his chest and his other hand crept around her to her lower back pressing gently into her.

We all have a weakness, but some of ours are easy to identify, look me in the eye.
and ask for forgiveness, we'll make a pact to never speak that word again, yes, you are my friend.

We all have something that digs at us,
at least we dig each other.
So when weakness turns my ego up
I know you'll count on the me from yesterday.

If I turn into another
dig me up from under what is covering
the better part of me.
Sing this song
remind me that we'll always have each other
when everything else is gone.


Nick hummed the tune as his chin pressed against her temple. He looked around seeing everyone watching them as they swayed and circled around the sand to the song. He bent his head kissing her shoulder as she whispered the song lyrics to him.

We all have a sickness
that cleverly attaches and multiplies
no matter how we try.
We all have someone that digs at us,
at least we dig each other.

So when sickness turns my ego up
I know you'll act as a clever medicine.
If I turn into another,
dig me up from under what is covering
The better part of me.
Sing this song!
Remind me that we'll always have each other
when everything else is gone.
Oh, each other when everything else is gone.(**)


As it kept playing Nick turned her, spinning her a little making her giggle as he brought her back to him a little more quickly than he had intended making her brace herself against his chest. He leaned in at that moment kissing her. Everyone cheered a little, some whooping and hollering as well as wolf whistling. Alyssa broke the kiss chuckling as the song ended and blushed at their crowd of loved ones. They continued to mingle as the waiters from the hotel brought out appetizers making the rounds with food and glasses of sparkling cider.

"Congratulations you two!" Mandy said excitedly as she approached them her tall husband on her arm.

"Amanda!" Alyssa exclaimed, "God it's been forever! How have you been, where have you been?"

Mandy grinned and sighed, "I'm married myself now, this is Mike my husband."

"Nice to meet you two, Manda's told me lots about the both of you." He said with a polite grin.

Nick smiled and shook his hand, "It's really nice to meet you too. You're a hockey player for Dallas Stars right?" He added.

Mike smiled and nodded, "Yeah, we live in Dallas now. Far away from LA. Which I think has been harder on her than me."

"Oh stop it, it's been fine I like living the quiet life now."

"Sounds like us, we have a place in Tennessee and they just finished our home in Monterrey." Nick replied back remarking at how different things had become since they had dated years ago.

"Seems we've grown up Mr. and Mrs. Carter." She said giving them both a snarky grin, "Although that's going to take some getting use to."

Alyssa nodded and shrugged, "Tell me about it, it's so weird just to know that my last name is different now is just pure insanity."

"So you legally changed it?" She asked curiously.

"Yes I am officially no longer a Monroe." Alyssa replied back. Alyssa smiled as they departed from each other. She spied her sister and new brother-in-law holding microphones and standing near all the tables as everyone was sitting down at their tables. Alyssa and Nick moved over to the main table taking their spots at the round table smiling at their friends and looking over at the two of them.

"Many of you know me as Alyssa's big sister, Olivia. And as much as that is true, she's even more so my best friend and my baby sister. I remember the day back when Mom and Dad brought her home from the hospital and how tiny she was. I had already settled into the role of big sister with Clark and was showing him the ropes on how to be the older sibling. Ever since she had come into our family she'd always brought all of us together. The heart of our family...even in the darkest of hours and the most confusing of times, Alyssa was there for us and we have been there for her. A great example of her devotion to us as a family goes back to when she was a teenager. I was going through a very difficult time in my life, struggling with who I am and the probable consequences of accepting myself. I confessed what was going on to her and she was the first one to say that she loved me no matter what and assured that no one in our family would think any different than she did. And she was right...It astounded me and still does that there I was scared and going to my little sister for advice...and she delivered it so openly, sincerely and simply." She paused for a moment collecting herself since the topic brought out a lot of emotions in her.

"Naturally I've always tried to do the same for her. She's always been a tom-boy, never liked wearing dresses in fact I do remember having to help hold her down so Mom could get her to wear a dress for her reconciliation back when she was 8 years old. However her teen years came along and she started getting an interest in boys. She dated here and there, but then after she turned 16, she started wearing makeup and skirts. I did not notice this since I was all the way in New York at college but when I came home for Christmas, the Alyssa I saw, was not my little sister anymore. I wondered why such a big change and I soon got my answer when someone came to visit for New Years. I'd known about Nick for a long time, but really only as Ali's friend Leslie's musician older brother who talked with Alyssa through letters and phone calls occasionally. By this time he'd become a household name and so I knew a little more about him and what he did for a living. Still I was anxious to meet someone who had inspired such a transformation in my little sister." She said getting a little bit of a laugh out of the crowd. "After I met the bloke, I realized something in just mere observations between them, how things just seemed to flow between them, an easy friendship and an underlying chemistry that I don't think either of them were aware of yet. So flash forward 4 and a half years later, Alyssa's graduating college, the family members, her closest friends and Nick's bandmates all joined us to party with her and I wasn't the only one noticing something was definitely different between them and I wasn't the only one that noticed the drastic change between them. Come to find out months later that they had started secretly dating each other. To say I was surprised would be a lie. I was ecstatic for them and had hoped it would happen eventually. From my own experiences I've learned that the best relationships come from a strong friendship..." She said glancing to Angela who beamed with pride at her holding her rounded stomach.

"Soon enough Nick had expressed to my grandmother and aunt, of his intentions to marry my sister. Having already had our late father's approval and mine as well, I was excited of the prospect of gaining another brother. The year that followed after his proposal was certainly one of the most tumultuous years for all of us. Yet here you are, stronger, happier and healthier than ever, celebrating your marriage. Separately, you are two special, remarkable people, but together you are complete. As you sit side by side through this roller coaster of life, remember to scream from the peaks, hold hands through the dips, laugh through the loop the loops, and enjoy every twist and turn. Please raise your glasses while I toast Nick and Alyssa: Here's to love, laughter, and happily ever after. Cheers!" She finished making everyone clap and clink their glasses in toast to the couple.

Aaron sighed hoping that his speech could live up to his in-law's. He waited seeing the crowd die down a little and began to speak. "Growing up as the youngest in my family, I got the chance to really see my siblings grow up, see them all change and adapt before my eyes. I've always looked up to my older brother, although at times it may not seem like it. I used to despise any of his girlfriends and his career for taking him away from the family. I realize now looking back, that it wasn't because he didn't care about us, but that he was growing up and I was just a kid and didn't quite understand that with such a difference in age between us. However, Alyssa was always different in that respect. She never tried taking anything away from us, but always gave more generously of her time and friendship than most of us had ever really experienced before. I met Alyssa the same day that Nick did, all those years back that summer when she came to stay with us for Leslie's birthday. I was about 8 years old at the time and I liked Ali, she was nice, funny and just  a lot of fun to be around. I didn't really get to know her until years later when she moved in with Nick out in LA. I had recently moved out to LA for my career as well and found myself hanging out a lot with her when Nick wasn't in town. When Nick was around, it wasn't hard to notice how he felt about her. You could see it just in how he would watch her walk around a room. So being the annoying younger sibling, I took the opportunity to see how far his feelings really went for her by developing a crush. I'd always thought Alyssa was a beautiful girl and so it wasn't hard to do so. I realized soon that he didn't take kindly to other guys showing interest in her. Sorry to say bro, but jealousy has always been your Achilles heel when it comes to Alyssa." He remarked making Nick chuckle at the truth to his words.

"After I found out they were dating I realized that I was happy for them and even almost protective of what they had started to become. They're relationship wasn't always perfect or easy, but then again nothing worth anything ever is. Even as they began planning their future together, it seemed like fate had some cruel sense of humor. But being the two most stubborn people I know, they braved every storm that was thrown their way. To say that I envy you is an understatement. The two of you have taught me so much about life and have been two of the best role models someone could ever hope to have in their lives. And because of your example I hope to find the same measure of happiness that you've found in each other. So please once again, raise your glasses to toast my big brother, and new big sister with all the happiness luck and love that any marriage has ever had..."

Once he had finished Nick and Alyssa went over to the both of them hugging them. "Ollie, you're the best sister...ever." Alyssa whispered, normally to them that was a cheesy joke when one would do something nice for the other. But this time there was an air of sincerity in her voice. They smiled and then switched, Alyssa went to Aaron hugging him closely. She pushed back from him for a moment and asked, "Since when are you so frighteningly mature?"

He grinned widely and shrugged, "No idea..."

Alyssa and Nick smiled at their friends and made their rounds again before going over to cut the gigantic cake they'd gotten. It was beautiful, four large tiers, the colors were black, cream and plum with every tier holding characters from the Nightmare Before Christmas. At the very top were obviously Jack and Sally holding hands and gazing at each other and holding hands. She giggled at it when she first saw it, it was everything and more what she had imagined it would be. They posed for pictures as they cut the first piece of course smashing it into each other's faces laughing at each other for doing it at the same time without warning.

After that they made their way back out to the sandy dance floor with the rest of their guests just enjoying losing themselves in such a large crowd of people. Alyssa looked around seeing everyone dancing and enjoying themselves and smiled to herself. This was exactly what she had hoped for with all the months and months of planning and obsessing over every last detail she had gotten all of her friends and family to enjoy themselves. "Liss..." Nick whispered capturing her attention.

"Yeah?" She asked looking to his face seeing his gaze fixated on something that wasn't her, a completely amused grin upon his face at what he saw. Alyssa turned following his gaze and smirked widely at the sight as well. There dancing just a few feet away from them was Aaron and Lindsay. "Seems he won some major brownie points with that speech." She remarked as she saw Lindsay smile at something Aaron had whispered in her ear.

"Yeah, I think there just maybe something brewing there." Nick replied smiling at her hoping that Aaron might just find some happiness there. "Let's just hope he doesn't fuck it up."

"I have a feeling that it'll be fine...good for him even." Alyssa answered back. She leaned up kissing him slowly. She broke it and leaned her head against his jaw. "Don't worry so much about him, he's an adult now, and has grown up a lot lately."

"I know...still I'm his brother it's my right to worry."

She grinned up at him and chuckled a bit. "And just imagine how worried you're going to be when you're a father if you get this worked up for your own brother."

He laughed and kissed her forehead and continued to dance with her. Before long they realized that it was time for them to leave. They hugged their friends letting them know they'd meet up with them at the airport. Both of them got a big laugh out of the crowd handing the bouquet and garter to Leslie and Mike informing them that they were to be the next to tie the knot.

Bob stopped Nick before they got very far and hugged his son much like earlier in the day. "I'm proud of you. You learned from your mother's and my mistakes and I'm glad you found her."

Nick stepped back for a moment and nodded at his father, giving him a hug again thanking him for the vote of confidence, before taking Alyssa's hand again and saying goodbye to everyone. They ran back to the hotel changing quickly and grabbing their bags and getting into the car that was waiting for them. Once at the airport it didn't take long for AJ, Howie, and Brian as well as the girls to find them at their gate. Kellie grinned widely seeing them both standing at the window, Nick behind Alyssa, his arms around her waist as they stood in simple jeans and tee-shirts a stark contrast to the dress and suit they were wearing less than an hour beforehand.

"Ready to go back on tour?" Kellie asked as she approached them cradling Cedric's car seat with him sleeping soundly inside.

Nick and Alyssa looked over at her and nodded in agreement. As much as neither of them really wanted to get back to the real world just yet, they knew that from experience that good things always come to those who wait.

 

 

 

(**) Dig - Incubus

End Notes:
Thank you all for reading, much more to come!
Chapter 37: Newlywedded Bliss by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay a chapter! A short one by my standards but hey it's a start right! Anyways I started a new story, called Will You Be... check it out and lemme know what ya'll think! And this chapter here, is kinda filler and lots o'cheese it's very gouda lol. Anyways certain things will be happening soon that will balance with the super cheese going on. And...some new developments that will definitely be amazing. Stay tuned!
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Newlywedded Bliss

Nick and Alyssa collapsed against the bed in a heated sweaty heap on the bed both parties completely out of breath laying parallel to each other staring up at the ceiling. "Fuck..." Nick said breathlessly.

Alyssa giggled and rolled over to lay on top of him. "Don't tell me you're ready again?" She joked making him get a shocked look on his face.

"No, you are wearing me out..." He shot back wrapping his arms around her. "But God damn...whatever this is please don't let it stop." He added making her grin.

She sighed and leaned down kissing him. "I think going off my birth control has made me like superwoman. On it I could go a few days, few weeks without sex but without it? Fuck I feel like a teenager. That and it doesn't help that my husband happens to be looking pretty damn good lately."

"Really huh?" Nick asked feeling a little smug about her appreciation of all the hard work he'd been putting in at the gym.

"Yes, I think the fans are noticing it too. I mean I've always loved the way you look and all...."

"But..."

"But I really like this...a lot. Especially the sex now it's more fevered...hotter than ever." She remarked boosting his ego all that much more.

"Okay, stop seriously I'm going to get a complex about this." He shot back rolling her over. "It's not that I don't appreciate it, just you don't have to tell me, I can see the reaction I get from you just from seeing your face." He replied. It was true he didn't need any verbal communication anymore to what she thought about him physically. It was shown on her face every time she'd look over at him, it was one of two expressions, contentment or hunger, either way he knew she was really happy with him, with everything in their life at the moment.

She smiled at him and took his hand lacing their fingers as she draped her body along his side. "Are you happy?" She asked. She knew he had to be at least to some extent. He was funnier than usual, a clear indication that he was content with his life at the moment. The jokes on stage were fresher than usual; he hadn't gotten tired of them and had even added new ones to the mix that made it different.

Nick wrapped his arms around her and sighed, "Do you really even have to ask?" He replied.

She smirked and rested her head on his chest. "Good. I'm kind of excited though with being back on tour and everything. It's definitely different, the tabloids are making me laugh though with the incessant dissection of the wedding."

"That's to be expected though, I mean with all that we went through in the public eye and all of that I'm sure they thought we'd be like all into the media hoopla and shit. I'm glad we proved them wrong. Even E! is trying to cash in on it with a third season."

Alyssa propped herself up on her elbow and looked at him pensively. "And?" It wasn't that she didn't want to do another season of the show. She actually wouldn't mind it if he wanted to, but at the same time she just didn't know when they would find the time to be a married couple, or try to have a family.

"And...I told them no. I'm happy now, settled and I don't want to bring cameras that willingly back into our home. I mean for Christ's sake we're moving out of LA to get away from that life, so why bring it with us?"

"True. I'd have to agree with you there. Especially now that we're trying to have a normal life, well as much as we can get. Still I'm excited though, I mean we're going to start trying to have a family soon."

"Correction already trying..." Alyssa shot back making Nick's ramble stop in its tracks.

"Wh..What?" He said a look of happy surprise on his face. "You mean we could be...right now?"

She smiled and shook her head ‘no'. "It's still a little early. I mean I went off it before the wedding, that's one of the reasons why I didn't want to have sex before the wedding. I don't know if it's fully out of my system yet but I wanted to say something. You know, no pressure sort of thing, we're not consciously trying okay?"

"What do you mean?"

"I don't want us to get so focused on getting pregnant that we lose ourselves to it. So we go on, business as usual like nothing's happening and if something does awesome. If after a few months of just going without any protection and nothing happens we'll readdress it then but honestly I don't believe we'll have much of a problem. I don't want us to stress over the act of getting pregnant. Ollie and Angie did and their relationship was strained for bit because they were so obsessed with getting it done."

"So I should just be on the look out for the signs right?" He asked remembering exactly what they were. He had to admit the thought that they were trying without really "trying" in the conventional sense made him even more giddy for it to happen. It shocked him a little that he was just so settled in his life that the mere thought of watching his wife's body change and have that pregnancy glow that came with made him calm, settled and incredibly ecstatic about the idea. A few years back he had resigned himself to never wanting children or least of all to be married at all let alone being happily married.

"If you notice something let me know, but other than that, don't think about it much. I think if we obsess about it; it won't happen. So just relax and let it happen."

"I think I can do that."

A week later...

"So are you sure about this? I mean bringing her out on stage...doesn't she hate that?" Brian asked looking over at Nick.

Nick sighed and shrugged. "I wanted to do this much earlier but I think now is the perfect time to introduce her officially as my wife. I mean hell we've been married for a solid month now. And the tour is going on hiatus after tonight for Howie so he can be with his dad. I think this is the best time to do this. And she'll love the song I have planned before I bring her out on stage. She knows the significance of it more than anyone else she knows."

Brian nodded and smiled at him as they went out to the sound check greeting the fans that had gathered there. Nick waved at them and saw Alyssa standing off to the side with the other wives smiling up at him with pride. He grinned back and stuck his tongue out at her playfully making her chuckle back at him. He joked around and sang with the others, playing with Baylee and then went down to speak to the fans. He smiled for pictures and some of the girls flirted with him, only serving to make him chuckle and thank them for the flattery. After he was done with speaking to them he moseyed on over to Alyssa and the other girls.

"Hey ladies..." He said to them as he wrapped his arm around Alyssa's waist his fingertips grazing her hipbone.

"Shouldn't you be working?" Alyssa reminded trying to get him to spend more time with his fans. It wasn't that she didn't like the overtly public personal attention he was giving but at the same time, she knew his duty was to entertain the fans and the sound check party wasn't over quite yet.

"Like you don't have papers to grade." He shot back making her grin at him widely then leaned up placing a sweet but all too short kiss to his lips.

"And a discussion board to moderate." She added before he leaned over for another kiss. She broke the kiss feeling quite a few pairs of eyes focused in their direction and that was accompanied by quite a few snaps of pictures as well. "Those will be online tonight I'm sure." She smirked quietly to him.

Nick laughed and left her momentarily going back over to the small throng of fans that were all rather excited to see the exchange between them. Alyssa watched him smiling at how easily he fell into conversation with them signing things, getting more pictures taken. She loved being able to watch that side of him show through. The humble musician happily greeting his fans. It was definitely a stark contrast to the onstage cocky goofball that the fans so eagerly adored.

Kellie looked at Alyssa and nudged her in the shoulder, "You're doing it again." She chided playfully.

Alyssa turned shooting her a puzzled glance, "Doing what exactly?" She asked getting a look on her face.

"Being the disgustingly adorable couple. It really is a whole new level of nasty between the two of you." Kellie retorted making Alyssa's incredulous expression fade in favor of a rather amused grin.

She shrugged and sighed contentedly. "I can't exactly help that, we're kind of in the honeymoon phase right now so I guess you'll just have to deal with it." Both girls laughed to themselves as they all walked back stage to hang out in the dressing room before the show. "Besides, you were just as disgusting just after you and Alex got married, Leigh and Howie were as well, and I'm sure the Brian and Leighanne too." She added reminding them that all of them had gone through the same blissful stage so early in their marriages.

"Just wait until your first fight. And then the whole dry spell will happen too."

"The fight I'm not worried about, I know we'll have to argue eventually, hell we argued all the time when we were dating so that I'm sure will happen and I'm totally not worried about. But dry spell?"

"Yeah after the honeymoon phase you'll go through this period where you just don't even desire to be intimate for awhile. Like cuddling on the couch with a sports game on the television is the perfect night in."

Alyssa shrugged, "See that doesn't even phase me right now. We've had dry spell's that have lasted months and we survived. I know he won't go on for that long without sex again so I'm sure I'll have to get in the mood even when I'm not feeling the sexiest. Besides I hopefully will be having raging hormones soon so that won't happen for a while."

"What do you mean?" Kellie asked looking between the two of them and the other girls. She couldn't possibly mean what she could be meaning right?

Alyssa grinned, "You three have got to keep this on the DL but I'm not on my birth control anymore, and you know we don't exactly use condoms."

Kellie's eyes lit up as did the Leigh and Leighanne's, "Seriously?! You're trying to have a baby?" Kellie nearly shrieked.

"Keep it down woman! But yes...we're unconsciously-consciously trying."

"And that would mean what exactly?"

Alyssa giggled a little and sat down comfortably on the white leather sofa the venue had provided. "It means that we're trying to have a family but not like tracking my ovulation or forcing conception sex down each other's throats. We're doing it the old fashioned way, no protection and see what happens."

Kellie grinned brightly and sighed, "I'm excited for you!" She exclaimed softly. "I mean this is so good for the both of you and all that."

"Well it hasn't happened yet, so please forget we ever had this conversation I don't want him to know I went and blabbed to my friends that we're kinda trying to get pregnant. We've been married a month and some people may think it's far too soon for all of that and it's not...the wedding itself was so long overdue that this is the perfect time for it to happen, we're both at good places in our careers that taking a little downtime here and there would be easy to do, and the tour will be over by the holidays and then they'll be recording, so it would be perfect so we can spend some time at home when either of us aren't working. But we don't want to push it, or pressure each other at all. Because seriously I watched Ollie and Angie go through all of those shots and fertility appointments and granted they can't really conceive the natural way and all that, but still do you realize how hard that would be for Nick or myself to admit we had fertility issues? I mean we've conceived by accident twice before now."

Leighanne nodded in agreement, "It took us forever to get pregnant with Baylee, we tried for over a year and the second we stopped trying is when it happened. It's really all in the mindset I think, if you just hope for the best I think that's what will happen for you. And besides it'll be fun to see Nick with a little one he's always playing around with Bay and loves your nephew and Cedric to death."

"I know it's really weird to even be thinking about this again. I mean like years ago I knew Nick would never want kids let alone get married or that he even really saw me as something more than just his friend. But just goes to show how naïve I was back then."

"Yeah what a difference 5 years or so makes." Kellie quipped giving her a look. "Seriously, look at me, I'm a Mom, a married woman, and a stylist. I mean if we even went back 2 years, I was dating your brother-in-law, bartending and in college."

Alyssa grinned at her and sighed, "I know this growing up thing is so weird to look back on everything. It's like whoa, I did all of that? And really it's not much in comparison to others, I mean look at all that the guys have done..."

That night...


Nick smiled as all the fans screamed as he walked out on stage, an acoustic guitar around his back, and placed a stool just in front of the microphone. He looked down at Alyssa sitting in the pit with the rest of the girls, looking casual and comfy as ever, jeans, tee-shirt, hair up in a messy bun. He adjusted the mic a little before speaking into it. "I wanted to finish off my solo portion of the show with a new song I wrote not too long ago. I hope it'll be on my next solo album but we'll see what the record company thinks of this. You all are the first to hear it but you're not the first to know the lyrics. This is a very personal song to me and I hope you all like it." He said as he began to strum on his guitar.

Alyssa looked at him smiling contently beaming with pride that he was sharing something personal to him that he wrote. She looked to the other girls who were looking at her questioningly. Alyssa simply smiled and shrugged not knowing of the song he had planned. However the second she heard the first line of lyrics her eyes widened and she turned to look at the stage where her husband was singing...not just any song...the song he wrote...for her.

"Honey you are rock....upon which I stand and I come here to talk. I hope you understand. That green eyes, yeah the spotlight, shines upon you. And how could, anybody, deny you. I came here with a load. And it feels so much lighter, now I've met you. And honey you should know, that I could never go on without you..."

Alyssa's smile grew brighter. She figured he might have pulled something like this just after they had gotten married, not after a month of marriage. As the song continued she grinned wider and wider then was brought out of her prideful stare with a tap on her shoulder. She looked up to see Frank standing before her. She got up and followed him knowing that apparently Nick wanted her backstage. She looked down at her appearance silently hoping that he wasn't planning on bringing her out there.

She stood backstage seeing Nick sitting on the stool finishing up the song. He set his guitar down and continued to talk to the crowd for a moment. "If you hadn't found out already, I finally took the plunge a month ago and got married." He said making the crowd erupt in cheers. "And that song is what I wrote for my wife." He smiled making the crowd go into more hysterics. "In fact." He said standing up and walking over to the alcove of the stage that led to the back where Alyssa was standing with Frank. He smiled and held his hand out to her. "Come on..." He semi-commanded.

She balked for a second digging her heels into the floor. "Nooo I am not going out there Nickolas...I look like a complete scrub."

"You didn't mind sitting in the pit like that."

"That's different..."

Nick leaned in and kissed her sweetly, "Come on...I'll make it as painless as possible." He said reassuringly then took her hand lacing their fingers and dragged her out on stage. "I wanted to introduce all of you...to someone you may have seen before...I'd like you to meet my wife." He said happily making Alyssa blush profusely and hide her face. "Liss babe? Say hello to the fans..."

Alyssa smiled and bid everyone hello through the microphone jumping slightly at the horrendously loud screams that came at her. "Wow...so this is what it's like up here." She said into the mic.

Nick laughed and replied, "See what you've been missing ‘Mrs. Nose Stuck in a Book Carter'." He retorted making her laugh.

"Yes I can definitely see the appeal however I think I'll leave the performing up to the professional in this relationship." She shot back in return.

Nick smiled and brought her in for a kiss making her blush as the fans erupted again before them. Never in her life had she been that embarrassed, not even when he'd sang happy birthday to her on the Never Gone tour nearly three years beforehand. She broke the kiss and smiled at him before hightailing it out of the stage and back down into the pit where she buried her face into her knees as she sat.

"I cannot believe he did that!" She muttered to Kellie who was laughing rather hard at her.

"Well I think it was cute."

"Yeah...cute all right. I'm gonna kill him later I swear."

"No you won't." Kellie reasoned back.

Alyssa sighed and shrugged looking back to the stage where the others had joined him and smiled. "No probably not..."

End Notes:
thanks for reading! lemme know what you think!
Chapter 38: New Addition by Teri
Author's Notes:
So wow another chapter! I'm excited I pulled this one out so fast. Alot of things going on this chapter, especially the ending. I know it's happening fast but in real life it can happen even faster! Anyways Hope you all enjoy!
Chapter Thirty-Eight: New Addition

"So what color do you want to paint our bedroom?" Alyssa asked as she stood in front of the massive paint display at Monterrey's local Home Depot.

Nick shrugged, "White is too plain?" He asked not really knowing what he should say he didn't really care about what the color of his bedroom was as long as it wasn't some atrocious color like Pepto bismol pink.

Alyssa gave him a glance, "Come on it's our bedroom and you want white? The color of purity and mental institutions?" She retorted making his face break out in a wide amused grin. "I'm serious, I would like a color that would contrast nicely with the bed that my mom bought us. It's being delivered tomorrow and I would really like to have at least the bedroom painted by then."

"Hmm ok what about blue? Like a stripe sort of thing?" He suggested pointing to two colors that would compliment the espresso mahogany bed frame.

Alyssa glanced at it and smiled, "Definitely. Make sure we get low fume because I really don't want to be inhaling paint fumes for the few weeks we're here and setting up the house."

Nick smiled and nodded getting a few paint cans and dropping them into their basket. "So what about the game room you know where the television is going?"

"How about taupe? It's an off white but since the walls are going to be covered with shelving, couches and entertainment equipment I figure lighter is better in there."

Nick agreed and they continued around picking out paint for every room in their house. "I think we should leave the guest rooms alone for now. At least until we figure out what we want to do with them. The office is perfect with the white."

Alyssa grinned and leaned over the side of the cart and kissed him. She broke the kiss and went over grabbing a bunch of painting supplies, brushes, rollers, mixing palates. "Do we need a drill? To you know hang stuff up?"

He shrugged and sighed, "I don't know what do you think?"

"Well I was thinking, the television, pictures, your awards to put up in the office..." She explained trailing off as she placed a drill into the cart as well. They found everything they were looking for and made their way to the check out counter. They finished up and dropped off all the supplies at the house including setting up the large air mattress in their bedroom since they wouldn't have their bed until the morning.

"So where to next? I was thinking we could go shopping in town and pick up some food for dinner tonight."

"Something simple though since we don't have any cutlery or pots and pans." Alyssa reminded.

"We could always buy the stuff we need."

"True...Hey there's a farmer's market stop I want to get some stuff there." She said pointing to the side of the road. He pulled off and parked and both of them went over to the stands. "Can you go pick out some vegetables for dinner tonight? I'm going to check over here." She requested as they broke away from each other. She walked around finding a display of fresh flowers. She leaned down smelling the freesias and took a bundle in her hand before standing up. She stopped short seeing a very familiar couple on the other side.

Brandon looked over and stopped staring for a moment. "Alyssa? What are you doing here?" He asked oddly amused by her appearance. He wrapped his arm tighter around Courtney's shoulder as Alyssa's eyes shifted between them.

"I live here in Monterrey now..." She replied stumbling over her words. "What brings you here?" She asked with a happy grin.

Just as they began formulating their answer Nick came walking up behind Alyssa, "Baby look I found marsala wine, maybe we could make....Hello Brandon..." He said looking over at the other couple and wrapped his arm around her waist resting it on her lower abdomen showing off his wedding band.

"You look well." Brandon replied noting the changes in Nick's appearance. "Court read about your wedding in the tabloids, congratulations."

Alyssa smiled brightly over at Nick and then back to them, "Congratulations on your nuptials as well I read about them last fall."

"Thanks, we're actually on our way up to Lodi and Napa, we're going wine tasting." Courtney replied making the two women awkwardly smile at each other.

"Well have fun, we're moving into our house this weekend." Alyssa replied as they departed from each other. Brandon looked back and smiled at them before following his wife back to their truck.

Nick sighed and took Alyssa's hand remaining silent for the rest of their shopping trip. Alyssa rolled her eyes to herself, knowing that Brandon's little guest spot in their shopping excursion definitely had killed his good mood for the day. She knew that as well he maybe incandescently happy with their life together the memory of all that had transpired between her and Brandon was always going to be a rather rough sore spot. Call it his own possessiveness or whatever you wanted, but for the most part at the mere mention of Brandon he still could visualize in his head the two of them together and it made him sick to his stomach with jealousy and anger.

When they arrived back to their new home Nick trudged in carrying as many bags as he could setting them on the granite countertop. Alyssa looked at him pensively as he busied himself with getting things put away and organized for their house painting party for two. "Just say it." She said looking at him, waiting for the explosion of emotions he was trying to keep held inside of him.

Nick shook his head, "I'm fine, really." He said flatly, his voice purposefully holding little to no emotion at all.

Alyssa knew that look, knew exactly what was racing through his head. She moved over to him taking the paint brushes out of his hands and turned him backing him up against the cabinetry of the room. She stood on her tip toes leaning her entire body against him. "I love you." She said making him look at her.

"I know...but that doesn't mean I don't still think about what happened, or that just seeing him makes me think of his hands on you. I'm weak okay?" He said gritting his teeth.

Alyssa's face softened and she kissed along his neck. "I know. That's why I prove to you everyday that I'm so happy you chose me. That we've been able for the most part to get over it. I mean come on I married you. I've given you everything I can so really you won. I know it hurts to think about it. Believe me it hurts me so much to see the pain I caused...over something so stupid and insignificant. You're not weak lover...you're human." She reminded as he looked at her and nodded.

"Come on let's get this house done." He said with a weak grin.

*******************************************************
Alyssa Narrating:

Life has definitely been interesting since we tied the knot two months ago. We've been definitely in the honeymoon phase of our relationship. And even seeing Brandon, though temporarily shifted us back to a time where we wished we didn't have to go it was good to remind us to appreciate the insane happiness we have right now.

There's been so much for us to be thankful for and make us appreciate each other. For one thing, Howie's father passed away. And it was really hard to witness the range of emotions at the funeral. We went of course, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Nick was always so close with Howie, with each of the guys, but Howie's family adored them, treated them as family too.

It was hard on everyone. I didn't really know his dad all that well aside from meeting him briefly at Howie's wedding. At least he got to see that though, to watch his son marry the girl he loves. More than I can say for my own father. He never got to see his two youngest get married off.

Witnessing the same pain on Howie's face, on his siblings faces. It was difficult to swallow for me personally. Nick was particularly melancholic as well, hugging each one of the Doroughs in a tight grieving hug. He loved Howie's family, almost as much as he loved my family or even his own family. It wasn't an easy thing for him to deal with.

I wasn't the only one having an extremely hard time witnessing the loss of someone's father. Kevin was there too, holding Kristin and Mason tightly to himself. He and I have always been kindred spirits the two of us, both losing our fathers to cancer. I hugged him and we both gave long heartfelt condolences to Howie and his family.

After the funeral Nick and I stuck around, just being there for Howie as he clung to Leigh. Even though he knew it was coming, the death still rocked him vigorously. His father was a very huge influence in his life and to see that all end because of a stupid disease reminded him far too much of his sister Caroline. Nick tried to lift his spirits, to distract him a little but nothing really seemed to work.

It was then we took off letting him go through the grieving process knowing full well that Leigh would be his rock through everything as she always had been and promised to be for the rest of their lives. We didn't want to go back to LA, or even to Monterrey at all. I didn't want to face my family. I knew Mom would come over and ask all the questions about what happened, we'd cry and reminisce about Daddy and I just can't do that right now.

At the funeral I didn't know what came over me, maybe it was the overwhelming sadness throughout the room but I felt myself breaking down and crying like a wet mop. Nick cried too, tried to hide it but it was futile to conceal his pain. When we got to our home in Franklin we collapsed into bed, taking our time with each other, finding comfort and solace in the fact that we had each other. I don't think we left our bedroom for two whole days aside from running down to the kitchen to grab food.

Those two days, although preceded by sadness and grief, were two of the best days we've had together. We didn't talk about the negativity of our life or our past except in terms of happiness. Talking about times we spent all night on the phone just staving off sleep for the both of us. Or the multitude of times that he had to reign in his emotions and desires to kiss me when he thought he couldn't have me.

We talked about our families, my parents, his, the siblings and how life has changed everyone in such different ways. Olivia and Angela had their child, Mackenzie, a beautiful little girl with brilliant porcelain skin and bright blonde hair like her biological mom Angela. We wanted to fly out for it but Olivia said to wait that they'd see us in due time that we needed our little honeymoon away from the world to enjoy each other in every way a newly married couple should.

I realized how much I loved my sister then. She's radiant in the pictures she sent us, looking down at the daughter that Angela gave her. They were a family, finally after months and months of trying and shots and doctors they'd done it. I cried on the phone when she called to tell me the news and I heard the soft cry of a baby in the background. My sister was a mom...I was an aunt for a second time. It made me beam with pride and Nick was elated for them as well even sent them a sign for their nursery that was wooden and carved to say "you are loved".

That man amazes me sometimes, my husband...So weird to say that but it's growing on me more quickly than I thought it would. I love that he calls me his wife. I feel a flutter in my stomach every time he says it. It's disgustingly cute. Another time in my life seriously I would be smacking myself for finding the littlest things he does to be the epitome of happiness.

Isn't that supposed to be what it's like for us right now? So blindly happy and settled because we're in the honeymoon phase. I know this won't last forever and we'll get our first fight and we'll go back to normal soon. I'm just milking it right now, for all it's worth because honestly we're going to be married for the rest of our lives so might as well make this time some of the best memories we can. I'd love to have memories like my parents did.

Mom was pregnant when she married my dad. They were blissfully happy for quite a long time after their elopement despite her family's objections to a shot gun elopement in Vegas of all places. And really I'm trying to make this time just as memorable. Something we'll remember 30-40 years from now when our kids are starting families of their own and asking for advice.

Crazy I know, but I'm looking forward to the future now more than ever and I really like what I see.

End Narration.
******************************************

Nick watched as Alyssa bent down lining up her shot on the pool table aiming for a striped ball. He watched with an amused grin on her face as she absently let her tongue peek out of her lips slightly. He loved watching her concentrate on something so simple as a pool game. And even better he loved the view down the front of her shirt that he was privy to at the moment. She slid the stick through her fingers hitting the cue ball just so, it spun towards the ball and it hit a side rail bouncing off and out of range where she wanted.

He chuckled seeing her brow furrow in frustration and she threw down her pool cue in anger at herself. "I give up!" She said exasperatedly. "Do you want some lunch I'll make us some?" She added moving past him. He smiled and let her go watching her walk out of the room with a sly grin on his face. "If you'd rather watch my ass than help me out why not just come in here then?"

He smiled and poked his head into the kitchen. "I'm going to put on a movie meet me in the living room." He replied making her grin at him before he went into the living room and searched through their small stack of DVD's that they kept at the house. Finding nothing that appealed to him he turned on the television looking for something they could watch not realizing that she had already come into the room with two plates of sandwiches and salads.

"Nothing on?"

"Not much really, it's a weekday most people are working." He replied as they ate and settled on some nameless action flick. Alyssa snickered as they finished up their food and stole the remote away from him she flicked through the movie channels and stopped seeing Cruel Intentions come on. She grinned and dropped the remote on the coffee table and snickered at the part they'd ended up on, the sex scene.

She watched and sighed as the romantic steamy scene played out. Nick chuckled and pulled her to lay back against his chest and wrapped his arms around her playing with the skin peeking below the fabric of her shirt that had rose up her waist slightly. He paid attention to her breathing smirking at how this particular movie always got to her. She shifted against him rubbing against his groin inadvertently. "You're asking for it aren't you?" He remarked making her tilt her head up to look at him.

"You're the one who pulled me to lay on you. I can't help it that you're insatiable sometimes." She joked back.

"Oh really..." He said moving his hand up to gently graze down her neck to her chest feeling her half wince and moan as he caressed her through her clothing. "You all right?" The wince took him aback for a moment hoping he hadn't hurt her.

"No just a little sore, probably nearing that time of the month..." She said with an air of sadness to her voice. She had hoped that she wouldn't be getting another time of the month for quite some time.

Nick disregarded her comment and moved his hands to her jeans unbuttoning them and slipping his hand down the front searching out her wetness with his fingers. Alyssa arched her back and moaned softly. He moved his fingers along her slit, encircling her clit every so lightly that she hissed and bucked her hips against his hand in response. She loved that he just took what he wanted nowadays, no questions just went for it but at that moment in time she decided that she wanted them both sans clothing. She tried to push his hand away from her but his grip tightened as he thrust two fingers inside of her.

"Fuck..." She gasped loudly making him chuckle at her. "You think it's funny?"

"No but I love watching your reaction when I do this..." He replied pressing his thumb to her clit in time with the thrusts of his fingers. She moaned and her breathing grew more and more shallow as he sped up his movement on her bringing her closer and closer to her release. Feeling even more devious than before he pulled his hand away from her making her give him a look from over her shoulder and sat them both up. He moved his hands to her shirt lifting it up over her head and tossed it to the floor then reached for her bra but she had already turned towards him and was reaching for his shirt too. He looked at her up and down noticing her bra fit more snugly than it normally did...."Whoa..."

"What?" She asked.

"That's what I call a wonderbra..." He quipped making her laugh.

"It's not actually..." She replied making his eyebrows arch in smug surprise. She rolled her eyes and lifted his shirt off of him as they both got up on their knees busying themselves with ridding them of the rest of their clothing. They stood by the edge of the sofa kicking off their jeans and underwear. He pulled her arms around him and pushed him onto the couch climbing onto his lap sinking herself down on to him. She rolled her hips against his making him moan and grip her hips pulling her roughly against him silently begging for more. She grinned and wrapped her arms around his neck as she increased her pace slightly and became a little rougher. He watched her face as they grinded against each other, grinning at her as she smiled back and leaned into his mouth kissing him deeply their tongues dueling for supremacy in their passionate embrace.

Nick began moving his hips against hers keeping one hand on her back running his fingers along her spine and the other brushed hair off her shoulder and tangled his hand into it and kept it at the base of her skull and neck as they deepened their kisses mores than before. He broke the kiss hearing her moans of satisfaction grow louder with ever thrust. He kissed along her neck just to further push her closer to the edge feeling already almost there himself. Feeling the white hot tension in her stomach beginning to spread throughout her body Alyssa strained against him digging her hands into his shoulders both of their cries becoming faster and much more strangled. With just a few more thrusts Alyssa's body froze mid-thrust, shaking as her release hit her full force. Nick moved his mouth back to hers and twisted them to lay on the couch putting her beneath him as he continued to move on her bringing his own release onto himself shuddering and moaning into her mouth.

He slowed his movements and broke the kiss seeing her eyes closed and a content grin wash over her face. "Good?"

She smiled wider and let her eyes drift open. "Better..." She replied wrapping her hands around his neck and bringing him back down for another kiss.

That night...

Nick dished up the plates with chicken and potatoes that he'd decided to make for the evening. He heard Alyssa pad into the room a few moments later still wearing his tee-shirt from earlier and a pair of shorts, her hair wet from the shower she'd just finished. "Aww honey you made dinner." She said with a grin. She sniffed the air and got a look on her face. "Is something burning?" She asked wondering what the smell could be.

"Gee thanks Liss, insult my cooking ability all you want but remember you're the one who taught me how to cook..."

"No not the food, I smell something burning. Check the stove." She requested, he turned off the gas burner and looked down into the burner seeing a small charred piece of food. He grabbed the tongs and pulled it out of the burner.

"Was this it?" He asked and she came over looking at it.

"See I told you something was burning!" She quipped back making him give her a look his brow furrowed in thought. He left it go for the moment and handed her, her plate and followed her out to the patio where they decided to eat for the evening. They talked some about things they had planned for the next day and possibly for when they got back on the road in a few weeks. He watched her eat, rather ravenously. "Mmm this is fantastic lover..."

He grinned and shrugged, "I try...you want more? You seem pretty hungry." He said as they finished their dinners.

She leaned back on the chair and rubbed her stomach. "No I think I'm good." She replied then thought again. "However I could really go for some ice cream, or ooo pistachio gelato I've been craving that for weeks."

Nick stood up taking their plates to the kitchen. "I could run to the store if you want?" He asked knowing that some good ice cream would definitely make the night even better.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'll go..." He said grabbing his wallet and keys and pressing his lips to hers. She smiled into the kiss and watched as he left to go to the store. The entire way into town Nick drove his car, very deep in thought feeling a very déjà vu feeling wash over him. "She couldn't be could she?" He asked himself aloud glancing at his reflection in the rearview mirror. The thoughts didn't escape him once he arrived at the supermarket and began walking around picking out some of her favorite gelato made in Italy. He thought of all the little clues, soreness, the ‘it's not a wonderbra' rack, she was certainly even more frisky than usual and her emotions made the weather seem like a piece of cake to predict. Before long he found himself in the pharmacy looking at the line of boxes in front of him. He grabbed one figuring it could give them a pretty accurate idea of what they might be.

He went to the counter grabbing a bottle of water as well and a few magazines to read. The check out cashier smirked as she saw his choice in magazines, the water, the pink and blue box and the ice cream. Nick shrugged and smiled paying for the items. "The wife..." He muttered lowly trying to keep as low key a profile as he possibly could.

She smiled at him and nodded as she handed him the bag. He rushed his way out of there and made his way back home to see Alyssa standing in the kitchen drinking a steaming mug of tea. He walked in kissing her temple and handed her the ice cream. She grinned and put it away for the moment and then turned around seeing Nick holding out the box. She stopped and looked at him seeing the pregnancy test in his hand. "What is that for?" She asked already knowing the answer.

"Trust me...." He said putting it into her hand.

She took it from him and the bottle of water chuckling at the boy scout nature to his action, "Always be prepared right?" He shrugged and followed her up the stairs sitting on the bed as she disappeared into the bathroom closing the door behind her. She emerged a minute later and sat next to him. "It takes 90 seconds, I set my watch." She said quietly.

He took her hand in his lacing their fingers and bounced his legs nervously on the floor. Alyssa broke her hands away from his and placed them on his knees steadying them for the moment. He looked at her for a long moment the levity between them only being broken when the beeping sound of her watch went off. Alyssa took a breath and walked into the bathroom looking at the test. She turned and leaned on the door with the little plastic stick in her hands and looked over at Nick seeing his expectant expression. "How'd you know?" She asked grinning like an idiot at him.

His eyes widened and he stood going over to her looking at the test seeing a positive reading. "Holy shit I was right?"

"Apparently...I'm pregnant..." She said softly her hands dropping the test and going to her stomach in silent amazement, Nick's joining hers as well as he leaned in and kissed her fiercely.


End Notes:
hope you all enjoyed! as always r&r!
Chapter 39: This Time It'll Be Different by Teri
Author's Notes:
Okay okay I know I've sorta dropped off the face of the earth but I'm back, I hope lol. Enjoy!
Chapter Thirty-Nine: This Time It'll Be Different

Nick and Alyssa sat in the doctor's office as she looked around the room, a few women sitting reading Women's Health magazines and others with rounded stomachs reading parenting books. Nick held her hand and smiled at her lacing their fingers. "Feels like Déjà vu huh?" She said making him smirk a little.

"Just a little..." He replied gently squeezing her hand. It was true that they were both feeling that way in an overwhelming sense. They both were a bundle of nervous excitement with the anticipation of the coming months. But at the same time they were both extremely humble and also a little scared about what would come their way this time around.

"Alyssa Carter?" The nurse standing at the door announced and Alyssa looked up making Nick smirk inwardly. He loved that she had gotten so used to her married last name so easily, they were only in their first few months of their marriage and she was already comfortable with the title. They stood and walked back into the office and Alyssa rolled her eyes as she stepped onto the scale chuckling at how she hadn't gained much weight yet but she was only a few weeks pregnant. "Dr. Petrarch will be in to see you in just a few minutes." The nurse said smiling as she shut the door and Alyssa sat up on the examination table.

"I hate doctor's offices..." Alyssa said breaking the silence between them. Nick chuckled from his seat on the chair next to the table. He placed his hand on her denim clad knee and rubbed his thumb over her knee cap gently. She sighed feeling more relaxed from just the simple touch but tensed when the doctor came into the room.

"Hello Alyssa, and oh Nick it's very nice to see the both of you. Congratulations on your wedding." She said warmly looking between the them. They smiled and replied their thank you to her and she looked at her chart. "When was your last cycle?" She asked getting right down to business.

"May 10th. Just before the wedding. We wanted to start trying after the wedding so I went off my birth control so I could have a cycle before the big day. It's kind of funny I didn't even think of being pregnant really. Nick figured it out."

Dr. Petrarch smiled at the both of them. "That happens a lot with the second or third pregnancy. Men learn the signs and it's like a mental alarm that tells them something's up. So are you on your prenatals? Folic Acid, B-vitamins, Calcium?"

"Yes I take them regularly anyways. You know my mother's a doctor so she had me go on them when I was like 20."

"Very good. And how are the symptoms, any discomfort, spotting, anything?"

"Well I'm a little sore but nothing too bad just feels like a  pulled muscle really. I've been a little nauseous here and there but surprisingly not that bad. Definitely not like last time. I do get tired easily though and I have cut out drinking coffee. I have my morning tea now instead." Alyssa said rattling off the things she was doing.

"And exercise?"

"Nick and I work out together. I also do yoga at home. He's teaching me how to box." She said smiling looking over at Nick with a grin.

"Good, all good. Don't do too strenuous of a workout though but enough to get your heart rate up and that blood pumping because that should actually help the baby's growth and development." She replied making Alyssa nod.

"Yeah I've stopped running for the time being and just power walk for like a fraction of the distance."

"Very good. I'm impressed Alyssa, you're doing wonderfully at cutting back. How's the job situation, much stress there? And school?"

Alyssa sighed and glanced at Nick exchanging a look with him. "I'm only teaching online classes now so its more like I sit on my ass at my computer grading. I have an amazing RA - Lindsay, she's a goddess at grading so she definitely lightens the load. School is slightly stressful I'm working on my dissertation and it's taking me longer than I want." She admitted.

"Well you may need to cut back on your PhD program for a while. With your medical history and all I think it would be best if you really take the next 8-9 months and take an extended vacation. Nick I'm counting on you to keep her on track here. I have no doubt that if you take as much time to rest and relax as you can then you will fly through this pregnancy and have a very, very healthy baby. I will be doing tests quite often to be sure that things are going smoothly."

"We're going on tour again soon, but I can always fly back as much as needed for the tests." Alyssa added making the Doctor look over her glasses at her briefly.

"Okay, but do not do anything that would make you feel too tired. Rest is absolutely important. You've had a rough few years. You've lost two pregnancies and I don't want you to take too many chances."

"Oh believe me if I even suspect she's not up for anything she'll be on the first flight home to Monterrey." Nick said giving Alyssa a stern glance. It was one she'd learned not to mess with over the years and knew he was right. If anything didn't feel right she would be the first to book a flight home.

"Good, now let's get your blood work done and we can determine your due date and everything. It looks to me, just by calculation that you conceived in mid-to-late May."

"That would be hilarious if it was on the wedding night." Alyssa quipped making them chuckle at her.

"That might be possible but it's also not uncommon for a honeymoon conception. I've had several patients who conceived on their honeymoons so it's very possible that's what happened here too. I'll be right back to get a couple of viles." She said leaving the room.

Nick stood and wrapped his arms around her kissing her temple. "Are you excited?"

Alyssa nodded wordlessly then sighed speaking rather bluntly. "And scared shitless."

"I know the feeling..." He repled holding her a little tighter.

That evening...

"What do you mean you don't want to jinx it?" Nick asked his brow furrowing in concern. He could understand that she was terrified of what happened with Noah to happen again. But at the same time this was a completely different situation, things were different now, they were different and he didn't see the point of hiding things from everyone.

"I don't want to get everyone's hopes up and then have everyone get disappointed again. I can't handle that." She said as her eyes stung and tears began to well up. She closed her eyes and looked away cursing the hormones coursing through her.

Nick sighed immediately feeling remorse for the argument but still he stood his ground. "So we can't tell anyone? Not even our families?"

"Especially them. Not until I'm showing at least. I want to do a barbecue weekend up here everyone, family and friends and that way everyone finds out at the same time. And then you can have Juliette release a statement before we get outed to the tabloids like last time." She said giving him a look. He rolled his eyes and sighed knowing she was referring to his mother.

"But that's a little unfair don't you think? You're two months pregnant...you're going to start showing soon. Why not just tell everyone now and get it over with? I mean we're going on tour soon, so when are we going to find the time to tell everyone?"

"Okay so maybe we can't do the barbecue weekend thing but still I don't want to just tell everyone and then have it get snatched away again."

Nick walked over to her and pulled her into his arms. "Hey, come on now that's not going to happen, not again. We can handle this baby. We're a family now and I think we need to start telling everyone. At least the guys and our families. We don't have to tell the tabloids yet if you don't want to."

"Don't you think they'll find out? I mean no offense lover but my in-laws aren't the best and keeping things hush hush." She shot back.

"Hey...come on now we need to stop arguing and just come out with it. They're going to figure it out eventually and think I only married you now because you're knocked up. If we come out with it that you're two months along and everything then it will definitely seem more like a planned thing than what the media would try to spin it as." He reasoned back.

Alyssa sighed knowing ultimately he was right. What was the point in waiting when it was just going to be more complicated to explain later on. She knew that at the same time they'd have to get it  out to the media at the same time because then they could control the exposure themselves and not have it turn into a circus. "Call Juliette and have her prep a statement to release tomorrow. I'll call Ollie and Mom to come over for dinner, then I'm calling Clark. You're on your family and we'll tell the guys tonight too then." She said making him laugh.

"Tonight?"

"Well we're leaving in two days when do you suggest we do it?" She shot back making him nod in agreement.

"Good I'm glad you finally agree with me." He retorted making her roll her eyes at him.

A couple of hours later...

Mary walked up the driveway seeing Alyssa standing on the front steps grinning. "Hi Momma!" She smiled as she hugged her mother.

"Well hi!" She said back happy to see her daughter was excited to see her. She followed her into the house taking the tour since she hadn't been there before now. "I love it sweetheart it's really fantastic."

"I think the best part is that it's almost a completely green house. A lot of the tiles on the roof are actually solar panels and power the house  and we have all energy star appliances, a ton of windows for natural lighting so we don't need nearly as many lamps as we would have to have."

"That's fantastic honey. I think your generation is really going to turn things around."

"Yeah we kind of feel like we need to make up for the two SUV's that we have. I'm considering trading them in for hybrids or something." She remarked. She chuckled at how even more environmentally conscious she'd become over the years.

Nick walked down smiling into the phone as he hung up with Kevin having already called everyone else, his family, and a few others to let them know the good news. Everyone was surprised and rather thrilled for them, his mother even teared up on the phone and wished them the best. He was happy that everything was working out quite so well this early on and now they were about to tell her family. "So we're waiting on Ollie and Angie right?" He asked giving Mary a hug.

Mary gave them both a look, "You invited the three of us over? What's going on?"

"Nick did you call Clark?"

"Yeah, he's ecstatic." He replied making Mary look between them seeing the happy smiles and the realization dawned on her and she gasped.

"You're...?" She asked making Alyssa grin even brighter and nod. Mary hugged her tightly to her and then turned to Nick hugging him as well. "This is amazing...both my girls are starting families. And you called me here to tell me in person..." She said tearing up slightly. Alyssa smiled and hugged her mother again.

"You're important to us and close by so we figured you'd find out in person. Clark just found out. Nick's family knows and so do the guys. Juliette is releasing a statement tomorrow and all there's left to tell is..."

"Hi!" Olivia said as she and Angela walked in. "Wow, Monterrey must be a nice area since you leave your door unlocked." She chided jokingly.

"Mom just showed up Ollie."

"Figures...you know she can't stay away," Olivia giggled and hugged her sister. "So what's for dinner?" She asked and Nick, Alyssa and Mary exchanged a glance.  Realizing the importance of her sharing her news with her sister before Nick or Mary gave it away with the cheshire cat grins they were both wearing.  Alyssa looped arms with Olivia, "Come help..."

"Help? Okaaay..." Olivia asked suspiciously, since when did Alyssa need help making stir fry?  After they arrived in the kitchen, Alyssa went to work on dinner.  

"You know, I've been craving stir fry big time all day...I am going to demolish it," Alyssa joked.  "I feel like all I have done today is eat...and weird stuff..."

"Yeah, that is how Angela has been lately, all she wants to do is eat...I don't know where it is going..." Olivia commented absentmindedly.  "If it was me it would be going to my ass..."

"Touche," Alyssa joked.  "Well, luckily, I won't have a problem with it going to my ass..."

"Bitch," Olivia responded, half jokingly.  "How do you figure...you know you aren't playing soccer anymore..."

"Well, I figure because maybe I have the same problem as Angela..."

"Angela has an excuse, I don't see how you think you could have the same-" a look of pure joy washed over Olivia's face as the realization that Alyssa was pregnant came over her.  "Are you?"

"I am...we are..." Alyssa proclaimed, tears springing to her eyes at the thought of sharing the news with her older sister.  "It looks like your sweet baby will have a cousin coming that is just a little bit younger..."

End Notes:
thanks for reading and sorry for the wait!!
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8749