In Pieces by Sakabelle
Past Featured StorySummary: Eight years ago, Ashleigh Dane was just a Backstreet Boys groupie. Now, the memories and feelings about Nick Carter that she had once buried threaten to turn her life upside down.
Photobucket
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Angst, Drama
Warnings: Graphic Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: Dreaming a Reality
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 51661 Read: 72872 Published: 01/11/08 Updated: 02/21/08

1. Prologue by Sakabelle

2. Chapter 1 by Sakabelle

3. Chapter 2 by Sakabelle

4. Chapter 3 by Sakabelle

5. Chapter 4 by Sakabelle

6. Chapter 5 by Sakabelle

7. Chapter 6 by Sakabelle

8. Chapter 7 by Sakabelle

9. Chapter 8 by Sakabelle

10. Chapter 9 by Sakabelle

11. Chapter 10 by Sakabelle

12. Chapter 11 by Sakabelle

13. Chapter 12 by Sakabelle

14. Chapter 13 by Sakabelle

15. Chapter 14 by Sakabelle

16. Chapter 15 by Sakabelle

17. Chapter 16 by Sakabelle

18. Chapter 17 by Sakabelle

19. Chapter 18 by Sakabelle

20. Chapter 19 by Sakabelle

21. Chapter 20 by Sakabelle

22. Chapter 21 by Sakabelle

23. Chapter 22 by Sakabelle

24. Chapter 23 by Sakabelle

25. Chapter 24 by Sakabelle

26. Chapter 25 by Sakabelle

27. Epilogue by Sakabelle

28. Author's Note & Thank Yous! by Sakabelle

Prologue by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Prologue

Ashleigh Dane sat smiling in the centre of a sea of people. She was in her now fiancées house, at their engagement party.

She was a short girl, only about 5’3. Her blonde hair was cut short, layered and falling just above the frame of her face. At 25 years old, she felt as though her life was finally becoming complete. She had an enjoyable job owning and managing a local coffee shop, and was about to get married to a man she’d been with for the past three years.

They say everyone has skeletons in their closet, but Ashleigh didn’t think that everything was worth sharing. Especially when they were things she’d much rather forget about. Everyone has secrets and regrets, things they wish they hadn’t done, or things they loved so much, that it was painful to talk about and just easier to forget.

That Saturday afternoon at her soon to be In-Laws house, Ashleigh mingled with the guests, discussed with her friends the finer points of the upcoming wedding, such as what colour the chairs were going to be, and what kind of dessert would be served; you know, the important things. She was genuinely happy, something that she never thought she’d feel again eight years prior.

Her best friend, Joey was also in attendance. The two of them had known each other since they were in the sixth grade. They’d always been in sync with each other, always having the same interests and while some friends grew apart as they grew older, Joey and Ashleigh just grew closer.

It was no surprise that Joey had already been cooking up ideas for Ashleigh’s bachelorette party. So when she’d heard on the radio that their most beloved Backstreet Boys were coming to town she’d figured it was the perfect thing for them to do together.

Still, she wasn’t sure how Ashleigh would take the news that she’d got her hands on a couple of front row tickets to their show. Sure, Ashleigh still bought their CDs on release day, and if they happened to be on television she’d sit and watch. However, when they’d come to Minneapolis for their Never Gone tour, Ashleigh hadn't batted an eye. She didn’t make a mention of the concert at all.

It was quite a change from the boys last world tour before their comeback. Ashleigh and Joey had taken upon themselves to follow the boys for their summer off, see a few shows and follow their tourbus to the next city. They did what any fan would do back in those days, they stood outside hotels, ditched their concert seats at the stadium and tried to sneak into better ones, attempted to pull strings to get backstage, the works.

For the first few shows anyway. Until they ran into Nick and AJ at a club after a show. That made things a little more interesting, and far more luxurious than sleeping in the back of Joey’s brother’s borrowed car in a Wal*Mart parking lot the morning after arriving in the next stop.

I’m getting a little ahead of myself here, where were we? Oh, that’s right, the engagement party.

Joey pulled Ashleigh aside from posing for pictures with Matt, the adoring fiancée.

“What’s up?” Ashleigh asked, still beaming. “Are you having fun? Matt’s mom makes good food, doesn’t she?”

Joey grinned, unable to keep a straight face. She was unable to contain her excitement, excitement that Ashleigh had mistaken for giddiness about her engagement. “I’ve got a surprise for you.” She said devilishly.

“Oh?” Ashleigh asked, wondering what Joey was talking about. Joey was never one to be able to keep her mouth shut.

“You might hate me for this but, consider it as possibly your last act as a single woman.” Joey winked, handing her best friend a card.

Ashleigh raised an eyebrow as she opened the card. “You mean a bachelorette party?” She said.

“Something like that.” Joey replied, eager to see Ashleigh’s reaction.

Ashleigh, after what seemed like an eternity to Joey, finally opened the card and peered inside. “Oh God.” She breathed, not knowing what to think. She was sure whether she should be ecstatic or irritated. She had just gotten engaged, and now Joey was taking her to a Backstreet Boys concert? Much less, seating the two of them in the front row, where Nick would clearly be able to see her.

Joey smirked, Ashleigh hadn’t thrown the card back in her face, which was obviously a good sign.

Ashleigh took a couple of seconds to stare at the concert tickets that lay in her hands. Those skeletons I mentioned earlier? Backstreet Boys was definitely high on Ashleigh’s regret and forget list. “How did you get these?” She whispered, not wanting to draw attention to herself.

“Aaron works at Ticketmaster.” Joey said passively. “So? Do you like?”

Ashleigh laughed a little. Joey’s older brother was always pulling strings for them and helping them out, especially in their Backstreet Boys related endeavors. “I…guess.” She stammered, unsure of what to say. She didn’t want to upset her friend, especially after the trouble she’d probably gone through to get these tickets for them. But she wasn’t sure, was Nick really a part of her past she was ready to dredge up? Especially after it had taken her so long to forget about him?

Ashleigh sighed, thinking that going to their concert probably wouldn’t cause any hassle, Nick probably wouldn’t even notice her there, and if he did, it was unlikely that he would recognize her. The concert might be good, bringing things in her life full circle. This might give her some closure, and afterwards perhaps she wouldn’t feel the need to listen to those CDs every day. “The concert’s in a week.” Was all she could manage.

“Yeah, gives you time to get yourself mentally prepared.” Joey giggled, knowing that Ashleigh would be worried about the Nick situation. That was typical, even though it had been eight years ago, Ashleigh never was one to let things go.

“Uh huh.” She said, lost in her thoughts and memories of the last time she’d held Backstreet Boys concert tickets in her hand.
Chapter 1 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 1

Ashleigh stirred as she lay in bed in early on a Saturday morning. It was late January, and the pressure of her senior year in high school was starting to drive her to the point of insanity.

Unfortunately, he stress had been momentarily added to by the sound of the telephone ringing. Quickly picking up the phone and momentarily wondering who in the world would be calling her house at six in the morning on a Saturday, she soon got her answer.

“Hello?” She said, in her groggy state. She certainly was not in the mood to be bothered.

“Ash! Okay, guess what?” Joey squealed into the phone.

“What?” Ashleigh mumbled, wondering what could possibly be so important that Joey had to call her that early.

“Aaron is going away for the summer. He said we could use his car while he was gone!” Joey said, her voice filled with excitement.

Ashleigh blinked and glared at the phone. This was the whole reason Joey was calling her? “That’s why you phoned me? I’m going back to bed.” Ashleigh said, irritated that Joey could get so over excited about something so mundane.

“No! Wait, I had an awesome idea, and I couldn’t wait to tell you.” Joey replied, eager to let her best friend in on her plan. “We take Aaron’s car and follow the Backstreet Boys on their Black & Blue tour. We’ll see one concert, and follow their bus to the next city!” Joey said, pleased with herself.

“That’s a stupid idea.” Ashleigh said, not sharing Joey’s enthusiasm at all. “There’s no way we could afford that.”

“So get a part time job!” Joey said dismissively. She was intent on convincing Ashleigh to go with her, especially since she’d spent most of the night convincing her brother to let them use his car.

Ashleigh sighed and looked around her room. Her walls were covered in Backstreet Boys posters, as were most girl’s back in 2001. “Good seats to their shows are really expensive.” She said, still unable to rationalize this.

“That’s why we don’t get good tickets. We buy crappy ones and then sneak to the front.” Joey replied.

Ashleigh grinned a little. As much as she hated to admit it, Joey’s idea did sound like fun. After all, what girl in their right mind wouldn’t want to see the Backstreet Boys every night for an entire summer? “Okay, Joe. Let’s do it.” She said, knowing her friend was going be ecstatic.

“Yes! Ash, this is going to be so awesome. Imagine it, we’ll get to see Nick Carter every night!!. Oh man. Is it July yet?” Joey squealed. She was obviously very easily excitable, and had put a lot of thought into this idea.

Seven months later, the two girls stood in front of Joey’s house as they packed Aaron’s car with their suitcases. In Ashleigh’s hand she held an envelope, which contained tickets to a fair amount of concert dates.

They were planning on driving to Albany to catch their first show on July 1st. This was going to be a two day trip, filled with Backstreet Boys music, junk food and gossip. The girls couldn’t be any more excited.

“I can’t believe we actually managed to do this.” Ashleigh marveled. Ever the pessimist, she’d figured that they would have gushed about the idea for a month and then forgotten about it. “This is amazing.”

“I know. I told you it would be worth it to do tech support.” Joey laughed. For the past seven months, Ashleigh and Joey had worked after school in a tech support call centre. The job itself was horrendous, but it paid a decent amount more than minimum wage.

“Even though Nick will only be this big.” Ashleigh said, holding up her thumb and forefinger. The tickets the girls had bought for the shows were the worst possible tickets you could buy, but they were cheap and they’d decided quantity over quality. Besides, they had been planning on sneaking up to better seats once they were in the venues.

“I’m sure he’s bigger.” Joey smirked as she got into the driver’s seat. Ashleigh climbed into the passenger’s seat and popped a CD into the stereo. She and Joey grinned at each other as they began to sing along with the familiar song.

When the girls finally arrived in Albany, it was about an hour until Showtime. They’d gotten a little lost on the way there, and as a result they were running somewhat late.

After parking the car, they made their way inside the Pepsi arena. They were amazed at what they saw – a plethora of Backstreet Boys merchandise everywhere. Not that they weren’t expecting it, they’d seen the Millennium concert when they’d been in Minneapolis a few years before.

“Fuckin’ rights.” Joey breathed as they walked around, taking in the atmosphere. Before this moment, this had just been a fantasy for them. Now that they were in the venue of the first show, the entire plan and experience began to seem real and not just a fantasy.

“No kidding.” Ashleigh said, as the two of them made their way to their seats. In their years of friendship, Joey was always coming up with outrageous plans and ideas, but this was the first time they’d actually gone through with one of them. “This was a good idea, Joey.” She said, finally acknowledging that her friend’s plan wasn’t just some lame idea she’d dreamt up overnight.

“I told you so.” Joey smirked, sitting down. “Holy, I can nearly touch the ceiling.” She laughed as they took their seats.

The girls laughed and joked with each other as they waited impatiently for the show to start. It had been a while since the two of them had been to a concert together, the last time being when they saw the Millennium show a couple of years prior.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity to Ashleigh and Joey, the lights went dim and the band began to play. The two of them looked at each other with anticipation. There was no doubt that the energy in the area was at its peak as the crowd chanted “Backstreet Boys! Backstreet Boys!”

As the boys rose from the stage, the beginning notes of Everyone began to play. The crowd, of course went ecstatic and Ashleigh and Joey cheered right along with everyone else.

As the boys performed, the energy of the fans didn’t decline. In fact, it seemed as though with every song they got more excited, more energized.

Ashleigh and Joey giggled and made comments to each other throughout the whole show, talking with each other as if the Backstreet Boys were close personal friends of theirs. They both gave each other a knowing look when Nick pulled pranks on Kevn and rolled their eyes when Howie winked for the 478th time.

By the time the concert was over, the girls were on a high that no one would be able to bring them down from. Usually the end of a concert is bittersweet, exciting and fun, but soon to be a memory.

Though for Ashleigh and Joey, their fun was just beginning.
Chapter 2 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 2

Ashleigh looked at herself in the mirror as she got ready for the concert that night. A week can pass fairly quickly, and Ashleigh still didn’t feel at all prepared. Not that she would have felt any more prepared if the concert had been a year away.

As she fought with her hair-straightener, she mentally cursed Joey for even suggesting that they go to a Backstreet Boys concert, much less actually buy front row tickets. Backstreet Boys concerts were something that Ashleigh had pushed to the back of her mind, never to be thought about. It had taken her years before she had been able to listen to their CDs again without losing herself inside old memories, she didn’t think that a concert would actually reach that point. Not when she was actually seeing Nick’s face, in person, and unable to reach out and touch him…

“All ready?” Matt asked, startling Ashleigh as he interrupted her thoughts. He was standing in the doorway of their washroom, smiling as he watched his fiancée fuss with her hair.

“Just about.” Ashleigh replied, smoothing over one last piece of her hair. She reached up above her to unplug the device and twirled around to face Matt. “How do I look?” She grinned.

“Gorgeous, as always.” He replied, kissing her forehead. “You’d better not let one of the Backstreet Boys see you, or I’ll have some competition.” He laughed.

Ashleigh bit her lip after hearing that. Instead of responding to him she just hugged him tightly, trying to push any thoughts of Nick out of her mind.

Returning her hug, Matt chuckled. “You know, I didn’t even know they were still touring.”

Ashleigh gulping, wanting nothing more than for this conversation and evening to be over. “Yeah, neither did I.”

Half an hour later, Ashleigh and Joey were speeding down the highway, on their way to the Target Centre. Joey had decided it was a good idea to blast the Black and Blue album all the way there, which made Ashleigh feel sick to her stomach.

Perhaps all Backstreet Boys albums weren’t safe after all.

“Can you turn this CD off?” Ashleigh asked bitterly, needing to raise her voice to he heard above the music.

Joey rolled her eyes, but complied as the beginning notes of “The Answer To Our Life” began. “What’s wrong, Ash? That’s your favourite song.” She asked, hoping that Ashleigh wasn’t starting to get cold feet about going to the concert.

“I can’t listen to that shit.” She said, feeling annoyed that Joey would think this was a good idea in the first place. Joey had been around after her whirlwind romance. She knew that Ashleigh didn’t like to talk about Nick, Backstreet Boys or anything to do with that summer.

“Come on. It’s just a concert.” Joey reasoned, thinking that Ashleigh was getting much too emotional. She’d never been able to get over Nick, so Joey figured that seeing him might give her the closure that she needed. Especially before she got married.

“It is not just a concert.” Ashleigh spat, irritated that her friend didn’t seem to understand the implications of going to a Backstreet Boys concert. To Ashleigh, going to the concert meant admitting to herself that the summer had happened. That they had followed the Backstreet Boys around, that she and Nick had…

“It is just a concert.” Joey said sternly. “Don’t make this more than it is.” She continued, her tone softening. Ashleigh had always had a flair for drama and blowing things out of proportion. “All we’re doing is having fun for nostalgias sake. That’s it.” She smiled.

Ashleigh nodded, sighing. Joey was right, this meant nothing. She was over analyzing things again, just as she always tended to do.

Just as they had so many years before, the girls entered the arena. However this time, it wasn’t full of merchandise and crowds of teenage girls. The teenage girls who had once been fans had now grown up and matured away from squealing at the t-shirt booth. The attitude was much more relaxed than rampant.

Ashleigh wasn’t sure how she felt about this switch in attitude. Sure, she had been apprehensive about the concert, but she’d also expected it to be what she remembered, the fact that no one was screaming and everyone seemed calmer almost scared her. This was all new to her, it was something foreign, something she didn’t know. Neither of the two of them knew how to act at a concert other than over hyped and under composed . Glancing at each other they stood in front of a t-shirt booth.

“We should get t-shirts.” Joey suggested, her eyes grazing over the small selection.

“You don’t think we have enough already?” Ashleigh questioned, smiling at that thought. There had been a time when all of their attire had been covered with the Backstreet Boys. Whether it was an actual concert tshirt, or a sharpie marker taken to an old pair of jeans, nearly everything had Nick, Brian, Kevin, Howie and AJs names or faced gracing it.

“Do you still own any of it?” Joey challenged, knowing full well what Ashleigh’s answer would be.

“There’s a box in my garage.” She admitted sheepishly. After that summer, the posters that graced her walls had all come down and were replaced with less heart wrenching memorabilia.

Joey smirked, knowing that Ashleigh had been lying back then when she had said she’d burnt everything with Nick’s face on it. “So, let’s get new ones! Come on, these are cute.” Joey said, pointing towards a black tank top that had “Backstreet Boys” written across it in the same font used on the Unbreakable album. “We could get different coloured golf shirts and wear them underneath.” She suggested.

Ashleigh sighed, knowing she wasn’t going to be able to deny her friend the pleasure of buying another piece of useless clothing. “Can I get a pink one?” She asked, admitting defeat.

“You have to get a pink one.” Joey responded, paying for two of the tank tops. “Consider it my gift to you for actually agreeing to come.” She grinned handing one of the shirts to Ashleigh.

“You wouldn’t have let me say no.” Ashleigh responded, laughing. She had to admit, that while she was ridiculously nervous, she was having fun reliving old memories with Joey.

“But at least I didn’t have to drag you kicking and screaming.” Joey winked, as the two girls walked into the arena. This time, instead of commenting on how they could nearly touch the ceiling, the girls marveled at how close they were to the stage. It definitely was a new era of Backstreet Boys fandom. While floor tickets used to be a pipe dream, now they were easily attainable to any fan that bought tickets the day they went on sale.

“This is so cool. We’re going to be those girls that reach out and get their hands touched.” Joey stated, not able to take her eyes off the stage.

“You talk like we’ve never done that before.” Ashleigh said, rolling her eyes.

Joey grinned and turned to her friend. “I thought you wanted to pretend like it never happened.” She challenged, reading Ashleigh previous thoughts.

Ashleigh turned pink. “I don’t know.” She replied, unsure of what to think or say. Being back at the venue certainly did bring back a lot of memories that Ashleigh had initially thought she’d wanted to forget. Now, she wasn’t quite sure what she wanted or thought about the whole situation.

Not that it mattered. Her thoughts came to a crashing halt when all the lights in the arena went dim. The opening notes to “Any Other Way” began to play.

Once this happened, the once calm crowd grew louder and louder. Joey cheered right along with the rest of them and looked over at Ashleigh, who was standing silently, surveying the venue. After being nudged by her friend, Ashleigh joined the rest of the screaming girls; half because she was excited and half because she wasn’t sure what else she could really do at that moment.

One pyrotechnic went off and the crowd screamed louder. A second pyrotechnic went off, the crowd grew louder still.

Backstreet Boys! Backstreet Boys!!

A third pyrotechnic went off, and there they were in all their glory. They stood silently for a moment, and Ashleigh felt as though she was going to fall over. For there was Nick, a mere ten feet or less away from here, the closest he’d been in eight years. It was one thing for her to listen to his music and see his face on television. But here he was, in the flesh, standing right in front of her staring pout into the crowd as though he didn’t know where he was or who was before him.

After about ten seconds, the music started up again and the four boys split off in all directions as Nick began to sing the opening lines.

There you go caught you crashin’ my dreams again just when I’m trying to get over you…
Chapter 3 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 3

Ashleigh and Joey were now at their fourth concert of the summer. They had seen their first show in Albany, followed the boys to Camden to see their second show, driven to Hershey for the third and now they were in Boston. The boys were going to be performing five shows in that city, so naturally the girls had opted for a hotel room. It wasn’t the nicest hotel, but it was somewhere stable for them to stay for the next few days.

As far as the tour was concerned, the girls were having a fantastic time. While they were starting to learn what to expect with each show, every concert was a little different. The boys would say different things in between songs, they would move around the stage in a different fashion. Each stadium had a different atmosphere and it left the girls breath taken each time.

As the final chords of Backstreet’s Back came to a close, the stadium roared. The screams continued until the lights came back on. Ashleigh and Joey grinned at each other, once again feeling pleased with themselves for actually managing to accomplish their goal.

The two girls slowly walked through the sea of people leaving the Fleet Center, giggling as they discussed the concert in depth. They laughed as they recalled Howie and AJ crashing into each during the dance routine for “Get Another Boyfriend.” A common occurrence for the two girls was to laugh and joke about the boys as if they were old friends of theirs. “I figure Howie was just watching what Brian was doing and wasn’t paying attention.” One would say, and the other would laugh knowingly.

Decked out in their Backstreet Boys apparel, Ashleigh and Joey fit right in with everyone else there. Back in 2001 the Backstreet Boys were definitely in their heyday, a fact that was proven by their ability to sell out five shows in the same city.

Finally, the girls emerged from the front doors of the large stadium. Taking in a deep breath of fresh air, the started to walk down the street to where they had parked the car.

“Let’s do something tonight.” Joey suggested gleefully as the two of them approached her brother’s blue Toyota Corolla.

“Like what?” Ashleigh asked, climbing into the passenger’s seat.

“I dunno. Let’s go out or something. We don’t need to drive out of town.” She reminded her.

Ashleigh raised her eyebrows, not really sure what Joey had in mind. “We don’t exactly have a lot of money.” She said, thinking about their current financial situation. As it was, they spent the bulk of their money on concert tickets, gas and the occasional chap hotel room. They had mostly packaged food with them since there would be now way they could afford to eat out every day.

Joey shrugged. “Going out once isn’t going to bankrupt us.” She reasoned. “Let’s go to a club!”

Ashleigh nodded, seeming to accept this. That is until she remembered a vital piece of information. “We aren’t in Minnesota. The drinking age here is 21.” She said, irritated.

“I’m sure we can get in somewhere.” Joey said, excitement sparkling in her eyes. She winked at Ashleigh, and turned the radio up as they drove down to their hotel, windows rolled down.

Sure enough, they had managed to find a club that had an 18+ entry limit, and would only serve drinks to those 21 or over. Not that the girls could afford drinks, so they didn’t mind. They only thing on their minds was having something to eat other canned alphaghetti and perhaps relieving some of their adrenaline on the dance floor.

And so they sat at a high table, both on bar stools and both dressed up in their best party clothes. Ashleigh, always favoring pink was wearing a rose coloured tank top paired with a short black pleated skirt. Joey on the other hand wore a pair of black pants with a blue tube top. In typical teenage girl clubbing fashion, the girls had showered themselves in glitter and accessories.

Ashleigh giggled as their food was placed in front of them. Once their plates were set down, she grabbed a french fry and stuffed in her mouth, not realizing until that moment how hungry she was. Joey rolled her eyes jokingly, this was typical of Ashleigh. They would go out somewhere nice and she would still order a cheeseburger.

As they ate, they giggled over nonsensical things and continued to discuss the concerts. Gazing out onto the dance floor which was quite close to their table, they surveyed the crowd of people in front of them.

“I’m a shitty dancer.” Joey said, laughing and feeling somewhat nervous as she knew that her friend was probably going to end up dragging her on to the dance floor. Not that she could complain, this had been her idea after all.

But Ashleigh didn’t respond. Instead, she stared blankly at the dancing people in front of her. Her face had lost all colour and she was only able to stare.

“Ash?” Joey said carefully, wondering what was wrong with Ashleigh. “Are you okay?”

Ashleigh only nodded in response, unable to speak and still only able to stare at the scene that lay before her. She barely lifted her arm from it’s resting place on their table as she pointed.

Joey gave Ashleigh a puzzled look as her eyes followed her finger. There, dancing in the middle of the floor was the absolute epitome of perfection. At least, in their opinion anyway.

Nick Carter and AJ McLean.

Members of the group that the girls so unquestioningly idolized and just happened to be following around the country for the summer. And here they were, dancing like there was no one else around, or rather dancing as though they weren’t superstars. As if they weren’t adored by millions. As if they were just regular guys spending an evening in a club.

It could have been that they were in a club that didn’t allow under aged teenyboppers inside, or it could have been that no one else seemed to notice or care whose presence graced the club that night. Whatever it was, the boys remained relatively unbothered and seemed to be enjoying themselves as they danced with the number of girls on the floor, presumably attempting to pick them up.

“Should we go over there?” Ashleigh whispered meekly, her hands shaking. She felt so nervous she thought she might throw up right then and there.

“I don’t think we need to.” Joey stammered, also shaking slightly, and also feeling the unfamiliar feeling of being star struck and anxious. Ashleigh turned her head to stare at her best friend as she realized what was happening and why there was no need for them to attempt to make their way over to them on the dance floor.

Nick sauntered his way over to their table, running a hand through his blonde hair as he walked over to the only two girls who were still sitting quietly at a table while the rest of the patrons moved in rhythm to the familiar sounds of Britney’s “I’m a Slave 4 U”

The girls looked at each other, suddenly immersing themselves in a conversation about the finer points of their education, and what they planned to do in College that coming September. It was a forced exchange of course, neither girl knowing what to do that at point. They both spoke very fast and stumbled over their words.

The conversation didn’t last long, as Nick approached their table. He flashed the girls a cocky grin as he stood beside them, a look that would have got any other male a roll of the eyes and a snide remark from Joey.

But not Nick Carter.

“Hey girls.” He said slyly. “I couldn’t help but notice that you’re the only ones still sitting down. What are two gorgeous girls like you doing just sitting around when you could be owning that floor?” He asked, winking in Ashleigh’s direction. Another cheesy gesture that would have been followed by a roll of the eyes had he been any other member of the male species.

Ashleigh stared at him wide eyed for a moment, unable to form words, and even if she were, she wasn’t sure what she would say. Joey looked across the table at her friend, internally giggling at Ashleigh’s expression.

This was a look that Nick knew all too well. A look of recognition, a look of awe, a look of adoration. A look he could use to his advantage. “What’s your name, gorgeous?” He asked, leaning on the table getting closer to her.

Ashleigh’s heart skipped a beat. Nick Carter’s face was five inches away from her own, and she had once thought that just being in the same stadium as him had been exhilarating. “Ashleigh.” She squeaked.

Joey couldn’t help but giggle at Ashleigh’s inability to communicate with her idol. But Nick continued to stay smooth and collected as he spoke to her. “I’m Nick.” He introduced himself, though he knew it was unnecessary. “You girls wanna dance?” He asked, flashing his famous smile and glancing over at Joey. “I’ve got a friend.” He said to her.

“Sure!” Joey grinned, and looked over at Ashleigh. She continued to stare at Nick in awe, and only slightly nodded her hand.

Nick took her hand as she hopped off the high stool. Joey followed the two of them as Nick led them back over to AJ.

As Nick introduced them to AJ (another non- necessity) Ashleigh composed herself a little and gave Joey a look that said “Holy Shit.” Here she was, standing in the middle of a crowded club with none other than Nick Carter.

Once AJ and Joey were acquainted, Nick turned his attention back to the girl standing behind him. She breathed as he put his hand on her shoulder. If there was one thing Ashleigh knew how to do well, it was dance.

And dance they did. The rapid beat of Nsync’s Pop served as good background noise as she was grinding against him, grinning devilishly. Like Nick, Ashleigh was a skilled master of the art of seduction. She had been a little taken by him at first, and still was, but she had managed to regain her composure and flirt a little.

Not to be outdone by her teasing looks and light touches Nick pulled her closer to him. Not that it did much, they were already quite pushed up against one another. He gingerly touched her face as Pop ended and I Wanna Be Bad began.

Normally Ashleigh would have picked up on the irony of the situation, and laughed at the poor music choices that played around them. However, she was much too engrossed with Nick to even notice or care. She stared into his eyes as they danced together, not paying attention to the world around her in the slightest. It was as if she were living inside a dream, separate from reality.

She moved her body against his, flipping her long hair out of the way. Smiling at him with a look of passion and desire. All her inhibitions were lowered as a result of Nick Carter being so close to her, touching her, kissing her…

Kissing her? When had that happened? Her mind raced as Nick’s lips touched hers, softly at first but quickly becoming a kiss filled with craving. His tongue exploring her mouth and his fingers entwined in her hair. She felt her heart pounding in her chest; certainly this wasn’t going to lead to anything else, was it?

Nick pulled back, a look of satisfaction on his face though he was no where near finished with her. Pulling her closer her whispered in her ear. “You wanna get out of here?” He said huskily.

Ashleigh looked at him for a moment, and that shaking star struck nervous feeling returned. Before she realized what she was doing she was nodding swiftly and leaving the club with Nick’s arm around her waist without another thought.
End Notes:
Author's Note: I'm really sorry for the lack of updates, I'm trying to churn this out as fast as possible but school has really been kicking my ass in the past week. Hopefully things will slow down soon and I'll have a bit more free time. Thanks all of you for being so patient with me. *hugs* Hope you enjoy this chapter, it's my favourite so far.
Chapter 4 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 4

“You guys may not remember this one.” Brian said as he looked out into the crowd of screaming girls. Sitting down on a black folding chair, he grinned as the opening notes to As Long As You Love Me began to play. This just added to the screams of the crowd, who recognized the song instantly.

“Although loneliness has always been a friend of mine, I’m leaving my life in your hands.” Nick sang, almost flawlessly. After ten years of performing this song, one should hope that he would be able to sing it near perfectly.

Joey grinned as she sang along to the familiar song. The song that had made her and Ashleigh Backstreet Boys fans in the first place. She looked over at Ashleigh, who looked less than enthusiastic. She was standing, but her arms were crossed and she was staring at the ground at her feet.

“Come on Ash.” Joey nudged her. Ashleigh didn’t respond. Joey rolled her eyes, she knew that Ashleigh was worried that Nick might recognize her. Either that or she couldn’t bear to look at him. Joey hadn’t realized that Ashleigh was still feeling this way, she figured that she would have been over it by now.

“Who you are, where you’re from, what you did…” The boys sang in harmony, dressed in slick black outfits and sitting on the ever popular black folding chairs. Ashleigh peeked up at them and smirked a little. She’d always thought that chair dance was lame.

Joey grinned at her friend, knowing that this part of the concert had to be amusing her. She’s always laughed whenever she’d seen this video on MTV, and as much as she and Asheligh had loved the boys, they loved to make fun of the cheesiness that was the As Long As You Love Me video. Putting her arm around her best friend, she sang the last lines of the song along with the rest of the crowd.

Her smile grew wider when she realized that Ashleigh, though not really looking up at the stage, was also singing along.

As the song ended, the crowd erupted with applause and screams of adoration.

Up on the stage, Nick flashed the audience a smirk as they yelled and cheered for him. “Minneapolis!!” He shouted, making the crowd scream louder. Years and years of performing, and he never tired of the adrenaline rush that seared through him as he stood on the stage, overlooking hundreds of fans. “If you liked that, you’ll love this.” He said, and the familiar strumming of a guitar began to play.

If the crowd had erupted during As Long As You Love Me, they were surely going to explode during this next song. A Backstreet Boys classic, a song that would forever identify them as the biggest pop group of the nineties.
“Am I your fire…” Brian sang, and the rest of the arena joined him. Nick couldn’t help but grin as he looked out into the crowd. They had been through a lot, and yet he still felt as though they were on top. Even if the charts said otherwise.

Nick scanned the first few rows of the audience, as he did at every concert. The girls usually went nuts as he made eye contact with them, as they felt that for one brief moment, he was singing right to them.

And he saw them.

He squinted at first, unsure where he knew them from. All he knew was that they looked familiar. He had definitely seen these girls before. Groupies maybe?

And it hit him.

Groupies, of course. But not just any groupies. Those groupies. The two girls that had followed him all around the country, watching every concert, singing along to every word. And her, catering to his every whim and desire.

He had been so stricken and shocked that he’d nearly forgotten it was his turn to sing. Awkwardly, and horribly off key, he managed to sing his part of the verse. Not that anyone had really noticed, they were all too busy singing along to the hit single.

He almost couldn’t believe that they were here. He’d half expected her to destroy all of his CDs, tear up all his posters, never think about him again. But clearly, she still thought of him. After all, she was a fan.

And yet, it intrigued him. This girl, who after eight years was still attending his concerts. Her blonde head bobbing along to the music as her friend sang along with a wide grin plastered on her face.

Oh yeah, it was them all right. AJ was going to be floored when he heard this.

Could it be that she hadn’t yet gotten over him? Or was it that she had in fact moved on with her life, and was now able to enjoy the concert without a second thought as to what had happened.

Knowing it was probably a bad idea, Nick couldn’t suppress his curiosity. He had to find out.

“AJ, AJ, J!” Nick called, sprinting towards AJ’s bus, as they got ready to leave the venue after the concert was over. It had been torturous for Nick, wanting so much to spill everything, but unable to do it during costume changes during the remainder of the show for fear that Brian or Howie would overhear him.

“What?” AJ said, looking irritated. He wanted nothing more than to go back to their hotel and crash for the night.

“You’ll never guess what-“ Nick paused, catching his breath. “No, who, I saw!” He said, still not believing it himself.

“Who?” AJ said, sounding exasperated. Not that he really cared.

“Ashleigh….and Joey, I think.” Nick replied.

AJ furrowed his eyebrows, not exactly knowing who Nick was talking about. “Who?” He asked again.

“Those groupies! Remember??” Nick pressed, annoyed that AJ didn’t have a clue who he was talking about.

“Since when do you remember groupies, Nick?” AJ laughed, rolling his eyes. He couldn’t possibly be serious, getting this worked up over some girl he’d slept with.

Nick glared at AJ. “I remember the ones I fucked more than once.” He said defensively, narrowing his eyes at him. “Anyway, we met them during Black and Blue.” He continued, hoping that would job AJ’s memory.

AJ tried to think, and finally he began to recall what Nick was referring to. “Oh…right.” He said, turning to go back into his bus, but Nick pulled him back.

“Let’s go talk to them.” He urged.

AJ pulled away from Nick and stared at him in bewilderment. Talk to them? He had to be out of his mind! “Are you nuts? Go out there, you’ll get mauled!” AJ exclaimed.

Nick shrugged, he was sure he’d be fine. “This isn’t 1998.” He replied casually. “Most of them won’t even recognize me.”

AJ just shook his head. “You’re lucky, Kev isn’t here. He’d kick your ass for even suggesting this.”

Meanwhile, the two girls were taking their time leaving the arena. The reason being that Joey was still sitting in her seat, babbling on and on about how great the concert was, how much she loved the new songs live, how cute they all looked…

Ashleigh was not as exited. In fact, she couldn’t wait to get out of there. She thought she had seen Nick looking at her at one point, and the thought terrified her. She was sure that if he had recognized her (though she doubted he would) he would surely think she was a creepy stalker.

And so, as the arena was finally nearly empty, Joey stood up to leave and Ashleigh was quick to follow. She couldn’t help but smile, despite her negative attitude towards the whole thing, she had had a good time. As they leisurely strolled through the corridors, slowly making their way to the parking lot, Ashleigh turned to her friend.

“Thanks for making me come, Joe.” She said sincerely.

Joey just smiled, knowing that once Ashleigh had seen that nothing bad had come of the concert she’d be happy she’d come. “You’re welcome.” She smiled.

As the two of them made their way to the parking lot, laughing and giggling all along the way, Ashleigh suddenly felt a hand on her right arm. Spinning around, she found herself face to face with a set of crystal blue eyes and tousled blonde hair.

“I thought that was you.”
Chapter 5 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 5


Ashleigh giggled nervously as she and Nick stepped out of the taxi and into the lobby of the hotel. The entire ride from the club had been a blur, Nick had been hungrily kissing her and she hadn’t exactly been pushing him away.

Now, they were walking through the hotel, waiting impatiently for the elevator. Nick’s arm wrapped around her, holding her tightly to his body. She shivered as he kissed her again, lost in this world where only she and Nick existed. It was unlike her to be so rash, but then again this was Nick Carter. Evidently, all caution was thrown to the wind when it came to him.

The elevator doors opened in front of them and they stepped inside, Nick pressing the button to his floor and then turning his attention back to the blushing girl.

He smirked. She really was too much. Her face was flushed, and she batted her eyelashes flirtatiously. She had innocence about her; a quality that most fans that made it back to his hotel room did not posses. He leaned in to kiss her again, and she hopped up on the railing. Nick smiled through their kisses, the way she carried herself was certainly unique.

Finally they reached his floor. Ashleigh quickly followed behind Nick, and couldn’t help but feel suddenly very awkward. She was about to go into his hotel room, what they were going to do exactly, she didn’t know… but she had an idea.

Her suspicions were confirmed when Nick opened the door. As soon as they were in the room Nick pushed her up against the wall and kissed her forcefully.

Ashleigh’s mind raced, instantly feeling nervous. What was she doing here? Where was Joey? Why had she been so stupid as to leave the club with Nick? Still, she didn’t stop him. A fantasy that had been hers for the past four years was finally coming to life. She wasn’t about to let fear get the better of her.

Nick kicked off his shoes and ran his hands over Ashleigh’s back. Moving his lips from her mouth, he moved down to kiss her neck.

There was that nervousness again.

Giving her a seductive look, Nick pulled away from her. She took a quick breath and looked down at the floor, instantly wishing she had been able to drink at the club. Sure that would have made this easier.

Skilled in the art of seduction, she was. But she’d never made it quite this far. Looking up at Nick she grinned cheekily and kissed his lips softly. “Nice doorway.” She commented.

Nick smirked, taking that as a sign that she wanted to move further into the room. Not wasting any time, he led her over to the queen sized bed, which was dressed with black sheets. Beginning to kiss him again, he picked up her up and pushed her down onto the bed. Ashleigh giggled, secretly glad Nick was taking a dominating role in this, because she had no idea what she was supposed to do.

Pulling Nick down on top of her, she slid her hands up his shirt, untucking it from the depths of his tan coloured pants.

Sitting up, she unbuttoned it, one by one, painfully slowly, making Nick ache for more.

Eventually the shirt was lazily tossed aside. Ashleigh ran her fingers over Nick’s chest, and instantly felt giddy. He wasn’t one to take his shirt off on stage, so it was something that she’d rarely seen.

Instantly feeling a little more adventurous, Ashleigh reached down and started to undo the button of his pants. Before she had the chance however, Nick’s placed his hands on hers to stop her.

“Now that’s not fair.” He said, a naughty gleam in his eye.

Knowing now, that to finish undressing Nick she too was going to have to take her clothes off, she swiftly pulled her tank top over her head and threw it on top of Nick’s shirt.

“Fair?” She asked.

“Mmmhmm…” Nick murmured as he began to kiss her bare chest. Since her tank top had a built in bra, Ashleigh hadn’t been wearing one.

Ashleigh moaned softly as Nick caressed her breasts. This wasn’t anything like she could have imagined it, Nick certainly knew what he was doing. Reaching for Nick’s pants, she attempted for a second time to undo them. This time, he didn’t stop her.

Crawling out of his pants, Nick ginned at Ashleigh. Sitting on his knees, he flipped her up and pulled her skirt off. And, giving her another signature cocky grin, he pulled off her panties as well.

Normally, Ashleigh would be feeling incredibly shy and self conscious. But Nick was doing a good job at making her feel comfortable. Either that, or she was so pumped full of adrenaline that she didn’t care. He’d chosen her to take back to his room; that had to mean something.

Pulling Nick back down on top of her, she sighed as she felt his body pressed against hers. The only thing between them now was Nick’s cotton boxers. Even still, she could feel his hardness against her and it excited her to no end.

She ran her hands along the elastic band of his underwear. Cautiously, she slipped a hand inside. Gripping her hand around him, she bit her bottom lip, hoping it looked like she knew what she was doing.

Clearly, Nick seemed to enjoy it. He moaned, still kissing her. “Damn, girl.” He said huskily.

“You wanna get rid of those?” She asked softly, and Nick quickly nodded, pulling his boxers off.

Ashleigh took a deep breath as she eyed him. Never in a million years had she thought that she’d be naked in bed with Nick Carter. Dreams yes, but she’d never thought it would actually turn into a reality.

Balancing himself on his knees again, Nick fumbled around in his backpack which was right beside the bed. As he searched for condoms, Ashleigh had another idea in mind.

Softly kissing the tip of him, she took a deep breath and took him in her mouth.

“Holy fuck.” Nick breathed, having not expected her to do that. Usually the girls he brought back just waited for him to have sex with them, rarely, if ever did they engage in any sort of foreplay.

He placed his hands on top of her head, and she swirled her tongue around him. “Oh my God, Ash…” He moaned, impressed with himself for managing to remember her name.

She continued to suck him, enjoying every second she was with him. If she was going to be with Nick she wanted to make her time last.

“God Ashleigh, I can’t take it anymore.” Nick said, gently pushing her off of him. As Nick quickly ripped the condom open and slipped it on himself, she licked her lips and gave him a cute smile.

It one swift motion, Nick pushed her back down onto the bed and slid himself into her. Ashleigh nearly choked on her breath as she felt pangs of pain throughout her body. She felt a couple of tears spring to her eyes but dismissed them, as she wanted Nick to think she was more than experienced.

Luckily, he gave her a couple of seconds to adjust to him. Then he pulled out and forcefully thrust himself back into her. Ashleigh ran her hands through his hair as the initial pain subsided. Nick moaned, kissing her neck. “You’re so tight.” He murmured into her skin.

Gradually, Nick quickened his pace and soon they were moving rhythmically against each other. “Nick…” Ashleigh breathed softly as he sent pleasure running throughout her body.

Nick moved faster still, driving himself harder into her with each thrust. Ashleigh wrapped her legs around his waist and nearly bit down on his shoulder as he moved against her. Every feeling was a new sensation to her, and she wasn’t sure she was going to be able to hold on much longer before release.

Nick kissed her forcefully, and that sent her over the edge. “Nick, I’m going to…” She moaned, digging her nails into his back as she tightened around him.

“Me too babe…” He said as he felt her close around him. “Feels…so…good…” He groaned as he exploded.

For a split second, once they had both reached their climax they stared at each other, as if they didn’t know what to do or say from here. Ashleigh felt her heart beat faster in her chest, here was Nick Carter, looking at her, breathing over her, sweating with her…

The moment didn’t last long. Nick quickly rolled off of her and disposed of the condom in the trash can beside the bed. “Good?” He asked her, giving her a cheeky grin.

She nodded, pulling the covers up around her chest. “The best.” She said quietly.

Nick chuckled as he slid under the sheets as well. “That’s what they all say.” He replied with a cocky grin.

Ashleigh laughed nervously, unsure of what she was supposed to say. The lamp beside the bed provided a dim glow, and made her feel comfortable. As if this were some sort of romantic evening. “Nick?” She said slowly, and he turned to look at her. “You’re all covered in glitter.” She giggled.

Nick looked down at his chest, and studied his hands for a moment. He laughed. “I guess I am.” He said, smiling at her. Turning off the light, he rolled over onto his side, facing away from her. “Goodnight Ashleigh.” He mumbled, before drifting off to sleep.

“Night, Nick.” Ashleigh replied, slipping further down into the depths of the dark sheets. Anything but sleep was on her mind, as she stared at Nick’s head poking out from underneath the covers. How surreal this entire night had been. That evening she’d been in the nosebleed section watching him from afar. And now here he was in all his glory, living, breathing, right beside her.

She sighed happily, Joey was going to freak when she heard about this.
Chapter 6 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 6

Ashleigh jerked away from Nick’s grasp. She felt annoyed, irritated and positively stupid. She was embarrassed to have been recognized by him, and even more mortified that he had come up to talk to her. “What do you want?” She challenged.

Nick held up his hands. “I just wanted to say hey.” He said sincerely, wondering what had gotten into her. She had been at the concert, front row no less, didn’t that mean she had wanted to see him?

Joey stood, somewhat shocked. If she had known that Nick was going to seek them out, she never would have brought Ashleigh to the concert. Ashleigh was going to be pissed. She looked around to see if anyone was watching, but no one was in sight. The arena was empty. “Hey Nick!” She grinned, and Ashleigh shot her a death glare.

Nick smiled. “Hey, Joey.” He replied, though she wasn’t the one he wanted to talk to. “I haven’t seen you girls in a long time, what’s up?” He asked, as if they were old friends.

Ashleigh scoffed. They were anything but old friends. “I have nothing to say to you, Nick.” She said, annoyed that he just figured he could walk back into her life at the drop of a hat.

Nick didn’t falter. She was here for a reason, he was sure of it. “We don’t have to say anything.” He winked, and she rolled her eyes.

“Of course you think that.” She muttered under her breath, too angry to see straight.

Joey laughed, putting an arm around her friend. “Don’t worry about her, Nick, she’s just in a bad mood because the concert’s over. You know, this is the only one we’re seeing this tour.” She joked.

Nick laughed. “No? Not going to stalk us this time?” He said good naturedly.

Ashleigh peeked up at Nick as he and Joey bantered back and forth. As much as she felt she hated him, she had to admit he was still very attractive. His hair was longer now than it had been back then. He’d lost weight, and seemed to be a little more mature. Rather than hitting on them, he was talking to them nicely.

She didn’t know why, but it made her blood boil. She wanted to scream at him, ask him why he had hurt her they way he did. She wanted to know what gave him the right to treat her like she meant nothing to him, and then just waltz back into her life as if nothing had happened between them.

Instead, she kept her composure. “I need to get going. Goodbye Nick.” She said quickly, turning on her heels and walking away from the two of them. She didn’t look back, but she hoped that Joey would have enough sense to follow her.

Joey stared at Ashleigh as she walked away. She turned back to Nick. “Sorry Nick.” She said, knowing her friend was going to explode in anger the entire ride home. “I kind of dragged her here. She was really worried about seeing you.”

Nick shrugged, now understanding. “It’s okay. I get why she’d be pissed. I thought it’d be cool to catch up though. I’ll be here for a couple of days.”

Joey sighed, knowing that she needed to get back to Ashleigh. Quickly, she took out a pen from her purse. She scribbled Ashleigh’s cell phone number onto the back of an old receipt and handed it to Nick. “Here’s her number. If you want to see her, call her. I’ll try to talk to her.” She replied, biting her lip. Ever the dreamer, Joey believed in fate. Nick showing up wanting to talk to them had to mean something, right?

Nick nodded. “Thanks. Maybe I will.” He smirked, and walked off.

Joey shook her head, not believing the scene that had just played out in front of her. Quickly, she ran out to the parking to find Ashleigh standing beside the car. She didn’t look as though she was in the best of moods.

“Hey, Ash…” Joey started, unlocking the doors. She knew that Ashleigh was going to start ranting any second.

As soon as they were in the car, Ashleigh glared at Joey. Joey turned on the ignition, and as the car started up the CD player clicked on. The speakers blared the familiar sounds of The Answer To Our Life, which made Ashleigh angrier still.

“The nerve of him!” She spat, not bothering to turn off the music. “I can’t believe he would just show up like that, thinking he’s all hot shit.” She complained.

Joey didn’t answer, she knew anything that she said was just going to end with Ashleigh telling her how angry she was for making her come to the concert. Instead, she listened to her friend. She had to admit, she did feel a little guilty. She hadn’t expected Nick to recognize them, much less seek them out after the show.

“Well let me tell you something.” Ashleigh continued, rolling down the window to let some air into the car. “He is absolutely not hot shit. Not at all. He’s a jerk that thinks he can get any girl he wants just by grinning all sexy like.” She ranted, clenching her fists.

Joey rolled her eyes, not bothering to point out how well Nick’s charms had worked on her in the past.

“He thinks he’s such a player. Hi, I’m Nick Carter, I’ll have sex with you because I’m so special and great and fantastic. Don’t you love my blonde hair and perfect lips? I’m so cute! Except that no one likes my crappy band now so I have to resort to trying to sleep with girls I did a long time ago!” She mocked him.

“I think he was just being nice, Ash.” Joey tried, knowing full well that it wasn’t going to help.

“Nick Carter is never nice.” She replied, glaring at Joey.

Joey sighed, thinking that if Nick did actually end up calling her, Ashleigh was going to be more than pissed. “He’s probably grown up a lot since then.”

Ashleigh took a deep breath. She wanted nothing more than to never think about Nick again. He was a thing of the past, gone, finished. So why did he constantly haunt her mind? Why couldn’t she let him go?

Why did he insist on showing up just when she thought she was finally getting over him?

“I hate him.” She said simply.

“You don’t hate him.” Joey responded.

Ashleigh glared at Joey, insulted that her friend thought she knew her better than she knew herself. “No, I really hate him.”

“You’re hurt.” Joey rationalized always the more down to earth of the two when it came to things like this. “Besides,” she continued with a grin. “There’s a fine line between love and hate.”

“I do not love him.” She said darkly.

“Not what you were saying last time we were driving home from one of their concerts…” Joey replied in a sing song voice, knowing it was going to make Ashleigh angrier. She didn’t care, she figured Ashleigh may as well get it all out of her system now. Before Nick called her.

“I was stupid. He’s horrible. I’m with a much better man now.” She replied, not caring to go into the details of how and why she came to change her mind.

The rest of the way home the two girls were silent. The only noise that could be heard was the rest of the Black and Blue album, which Ashleigh still didn’t bother to turn off.

Once Ashleigh’s anger began to fade, she listened to the music in silence. How did Nick possibly still have to power to control her emotions like that? Shouldn’t she be over him by now? It shouldn’t matter anymore, especially since it didn’t seem to matter to him at all.

But maybe it did matter to him. After all, it was Nick that had come to find them after the show, not the other way around. Could he possibly be sorry for what he had done all those years ago?

But I love you, and I always will, so I wonder if you want me still?
Can you forgive me and open your heart once again?


She heard Nick’s voice ring out through the stereo, and it pulled at her heart. For a split second, she felt bad about not talking to Nick, not giving him a chance to explain.

But reality hit her, Nick had never loved her and he never would. There was no point in thinking about him anymore. All he’d seen when he’d seen her tonight was another opportunity to score with her again. That’s all it was and all it was ever going to be.
Chapter 7 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 7


Nick awoke rather late the next morning. He glanced over at the clock, 10:38 it read. Groaning, he knew he was going to have to get up soon before Kevin came banging on his door.

Rolling over to the other side of the bed, Nick went to drape his arm around the girl who had slept beside him for the entire night. However, all he found was an empty mess of covers where she had been.

Confused, Nick sat and surveyed the room. Sure enough, she was gone. He shook his head, usually the girls stayed until he forcefully told them to leave. This girl hadn’t been like other groupies. She had been cheeky, innocent and cute. Shrugging off the oncoming loneliness, he got out of bed and headed to the shower.

Ashleigh, on the other hand, smirked as she sat in the hotel restaurant. She was quietly sipping coffee, sitting at the table nearest the lobby. She sighed to herself, and closed her eyes, reliving the events of the previous evening in her head. Nick had certainly made it memorable.

Her thoughts were brought to an abrupt stop rather quickly. “Tell me everything.” Came Joey’s voice out of seemingly nowhere.

Ashleigh opened her eyes to come face to face with Joey standing right in front of her. She was also wearing the same clothes as she’d had on last night. “What are you doing here?” She asked, confused.

Joey sat down across from her friend. “You totally abandoned me!” She accused, but her grin never left her face. “Not that I mind, I totally understand. AJ was nice enough to bring me here and let me stay the night while you were with Nick.”

Ashleigh smirked. “I’m sure you hated that.”

Joey rolled her eyes. “Shut up. We didn’t do anything. You, on the other hand…” She grinned, itching to hear every detail.

Ashleigh took a sip of her coffee, her thoughts once again returning to the night before. “It was the best sex I’ve ever had.” She sighed.

Joey laughed. “It was the only sex you’ve ever had.”

Ashleigh shrugged. “It was still the best.” She defended. “No one will ever be able to top Nick Carter.”

Joey nodded in full agreement. There was no refuting that, Ashleigh had adored Nick from day one. “So, how was he?”

Ashleigh thought for a moment. “He was very…courteous.”

Joey wrinkled her eyebrows, not knowing what Ashleigh meant. “The sex was courteous?” She asked, confused.

Ashleigh shrugged, not really knowing how else to describe it. “I mean…he wasn’t a jerk about it, you know? He could have been a lot ruder… but he wasn’t. He was just really…sweet. He took the time to say my name and everything. I felt like it was really something special…” She explained, trailing off and getting lost in her thoughts again.

Joey raised an eyebrow. “Ash… you know that – ” She started, only to be cut off.

“I have to see him again, Joe.”

Joey stared in disbelief at her friend. She couldn’t possibly be serious; one night with him wasn’t enough? It was more than most fans would have! “Ash…” She began, not really knowing what to say.

At that moment, the girls noticed Brian and Leighanne stroll in to the restaurant. They both looked at each other in shock, though it wasn’t something that should be unheard of. They were staying in this hotel for the next few days, after all.

“Lets go.” Ashleigh said quickly, placing a five dollar bill on the table and hurrying out the door. Joey followed closely behind her. She knew what Ashleigh was thinking, she didn’t want to play the part of an obsessive stalker. If Brian and Leighanne were having breakfast, Nick surely would be soon to follow.

About a half an hour later Nick casually strolled into the restaurant, and found his place at the table with Brian, Leighanne, Kevin, Kristin, AJ and Howie.

“Mornin’ fellas.” He said, falling lazily into his chair. “And ladies.”

Kevin shot Nick a look. “We were supposed to meet at 10:45, Nick.” He scolded, always the big brother of the group.

Nick smirked. “Sorry, I was out late last night.” He replied, taking a sip of the water in front of him.

“Nicky here was with a girl last night.” Howie teased. Nick rolled his eyes.

AJ scoffed. “Yeah, and left me with her ‘no sex until marriage’ friend.” He said, shooting Nick a glare, which he ignored.

“She was hot.” She shrugged.

Brian shook his head and laughed. He and Leighanne stole a quick kiss, which made Nick’s familiar feeling of loneliness return. Funny, he had felt perfectly comfortable last night. Waking up alone was definitely the worst part about not having a stable relationship. He hadn’t really worried about it that much until this tour started. Last time, he’d had Mandy with him. Now, with Brian and Kevin both married he’d begun to understand the feeling of being alone.

Especially since she’d been the one to leave him. That had really made him confused, and somewhat irritated. He supposed it was fair, he would have just told her to leave anyway. But her leaving… he felt it gave him a loss of power. Maybe he hadn’t been as good as he’d thought.

“You’d better have got a quickie before breakfast.” AJ laughed, hoping Nick had made his hospitality to Joey worthwhile.

Nick ran his hands through his hair. He was still trying to figure that one out. He probably could have had another round with her, but that probably would have made him another half an hour late… and she hadn’t given him the chance anyway! “Nope.” He said simply.

“What do you mean, “nope”?” AJ asked Nick, turning to him. The others however, couldn’t care less about Nick’s rendezvous. They were now engaged in another conversation.

Nick shrugged. “When I woke up she was gone.”

AJ furrowed his eyebrows. “That’s not very groupie like.” He observed.

“I know!” Nick exclaimed, finishing his water. “It kinda bothered me.” He admitted.

AJ smiled and patted Nick on the back. “Oh Nicky. Every girl can’t worship the ground you walk on.”

Nick sighed, stealing yet another glance at the happy couples that were before him. It bothered him a little, to be so adored, and yet… so lonely.

That afternoon, the two girls were back in their hotel room across the city. Ashleigh continued to babble about her night with Nick, and Joey was eager to listen to her. It was definitely the most exciting thing that had happened to either of them.

“He’s just so much hotter in person. Like, words cannot describe.” Ashleigh giggled, as she popped a Ritz cracker into her mouth.

“Was he big?” Joey wondered, looking to Ashleigh for a response.

Ashleigh pondered that for a second. “I don’t really know!” She laughed. “I mean, I guess? It hurt a lot.”

Joey nodded. She’d always been excited to hear about Ashleigh’s first time, the fact that it was with Nick Carter made this doubly exciting. “God, I cannot believe you did Nick.” She exclaimed after a moment of silence.

“I know!” Ashleigh squealed, hugging a pillow to her chest. Collapsing backwards onto the bed, she giggled yet again. “It was the best night of my life.”

“Still, I don’t get why you left his room.” Joey replied, grabbing the box of crackers away from Ashleigh’s side of the bed. “What if he would have asked you to be his girlfriend or something?” She joked, knowing that wouldn’t have happened.

Ashleigh sat up. “You gotta let guys chase you.” She said wisely. “If you give them a mystery, they’ll come back wanting more.” She explained, taking a handful of crackers out of the box. “That’s why we have to get into the front row tonight.” She grinned devilishly.

Joey gawked at her friend. She was actually serious about this. There was no way there were going to be able to sneak down to the floor, much less the front row. “Ashleigh, you don’t really think that Nick’s going to want to be with you again, do you?” She asked skeptically.

“Gotta give him a chance, don’t I?” She beamed. Joey sighed, knowing she wasn’t going to be able to talk Ashleigh out of this. She only hoped that Ashleigh would soon come to understand that the Nick from her fantasy probably wasn’t the same person she’d met the night before.
Chapter 8 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 8

Nick sat on the bed of his hotel room. Silently, he flipped the piece of paper containing Ashleigh’s number through his fingers.

Frankly, he wasn’t sure if he should call her at all. She hadn’t seemed very happy about seeing him at all. Nick wondered why that was; as far as he’d known they’d had a good time while they were together.

He sighed. Looking at the paper yet again. He hadn’t even thought about Ashleigh in the past few years. Truth be told, he’d nearly forgotten all about her. Now here he was, back in Minneapolis and surprise, surprise: she came falling back into his life.

Though it wasn’t entirely her fault. He had sought her out; he could have ignored her presence there. He didn’t have to go and attempt to talk to her.

Or attempt to sleep with, as she had thought.

Those hadn’t been his intentions…had they? Had he only gone to talk to her because he figured it would lead to a companion in his bed that night? Nick didn’t think so, he really had only wanted to talk to her. After having forgotten all about her, he realized that they hadn’t talked in… eight years? Had it already been that long since the Black and Blue tour?

If he called her, she probably would just hang up on him. She hadn’t been keen to talk to him at the concert, why would a phone call change her mind? He didn’t even need her, he could have any girl he wanted.

Yet here he was, alone still. Brian had Leighanne, and now Baylee. AJ had Rachel, Howie had Leigh and Kevin had left the group all together. It was true, he was the only one who was still single.

Nick shook his head. Why was that exactly? Because he seemed to go after the wrong girls all the time. Ashleigh had been fresh, she had been different. She hadn’t been like Mandy, or Paris (who came shortly thereafter). She’d just been… normal.

He looked at the piece of paper again. She already didn’t want to talk to him, if he called her he really had nothing to lose. Flipping open his phone, he began to dial.

Baby, I don’t wanna waste another day
Keepin’ it inside is killing me
Cause all I ever wanted comes right down to you
To you…


“Ash!” Matt called from the kitchen, upon hearing Ashleigh’s cell phone start to ring.

“What?” She called, running downstairs into the kitchen.

“You really need to change that ridiculous ringtone.” He joked, pointing at her phone, which was sitting on the counter. “Backstreet Boys are so 1999.” He laughed.

Ashleigh bit her lip. She had nearly forgotten about the events of the night before. Of course, Nick’s voice sent her right back to those thoughts. The thoughts she wished she didn’t have to deal with. “Yeah.” She replied, grabbing her phone off the counter.

Frowning, she looked at the front. It was a number she didn’t recognize. With an area code she didn’t know. “Hello?” She answered cautiously, stepping out of the kitchen.

“Hey…Ashleigh?”

Ashleigh froze. One would think that she wouldn’t so easily recognize the voice of a man from her past. Especially since it was so long ago. However, she’d been listening to the Backstreet Boys for 10 years now, she could pick out Nick’s voice anywhere.

“Yes…” She replied, still unsure of what to say.

“It’s Nick.” He said, not knowing if her tone was because she didn’t know who was on the phone… or because she did.

“I know.” She replied coldly.

Guess she did.

“How’d you get this number?” She asked, somewhat irritated and confused.

“Joey gave it to me.” Nick replied.

Ashleigh rolled her eyes. She should have figured Joey would do something like that. She made a mental note to phone Joey with a piece of her mind as soon as she was done with Nick. “I don’t have anything to say to you.” She said, trying to remain calm. It wasn’t exactly working, Nick could hear her voice trembling.

“Look, Ash…I just wanted to catch up with you.” He said, still not knowing why she was so against him.

“It took you eight years to call me, Nick. You wanna talk now? It’s a little late.” She said quietly, as to make sure Matt wouldn’t hear her. Though, she still had a harsh tone in her voice.

Nick sighed. He was beginning to understand. “Just let me take you out to dinner. Give me a chance to explain…”

“No!” She said, louder than she had intended. She spun around, Matt hadn’t seemed to hear her. He was still in the kitchen, caught up in whatever he was doing. “Absolutely not.” She continued, quieter this time.

Sighing again, Nick tried a different approach. “Well, I’m in town until tomorrow afternoon. Did my number show up on your phone?” He asked.

“Yes.”

“If you change your mind, give me a call.” He said. “I’ll be waiting.”

And with that, he hung up.

Ashleigh stared blankly at her phone for a minute. “I’ll be waiting.” She muttered sarcastically to herself. Nick didn’t know the meaning of the word ‘waiting’, she scoffed. Infuriated, she ran upstairs and closed her bedroom door.

Then she called Joey.

“What the hell, Joe?” Ashleigh screeched, after her friend picked up. “Giving Nick my number? Are you insane? I hate him! I thought I made that clear!”

Joey sighed. She knew all right. She’d heard all about it on the car ride home the night before. “Sorry.” She said.

“You’d better be.” Ashleigh spat.

Joey rolled her eyes. Ashleigh had never been one to keep her feelings inside. “Wait… so he called you?” She asked, grinning a little. She hadn’t really expected that.

“Obviously.”

“What’d he say?”

Ashleigh sighed, falling down onto the bed. “What do you think he said? He was all…Nick!”

Joey giggled. “So, he sang cheesy ballads and stretched his hands out towards the camera?” She asked jokingly.

“No!” Ashleigh exclaimed, annoyed that Joey had the nerve to crack jokes at a time like this. “He acted all…nice and stuff. He asked me out to dinner.” She said, beginning to calm down.

“And?”

“And what?” Ashleigh asked, not knowing what else to say. “I told him he could shove it.”

“You did not.” Joey laughed, knowing full well Ashleigh always liked to exaggerate.

Ashleigh sighed. Her friend knew her too well. “I told him I didn’t want to go. And then he’s all like ‘Well, if you change your mind, call me. I’ll be waiting.’ Ergh, can you believe that? The nerve of him!” Ashleigh ranted, getting annoyed all over again.

“Oh yeah.” Joey laughed. “How dare he ask you out to dinner.”

“That’s not the point.” Ashleigh sighed, knowing that Joey couldn’t possibly understand how she was feeling. “He can’t just do this. He can’t just come back into my life like he didn’t totally fuck up.”

“Maybe he doesn’t know he ‘totally fucked up’.” Joey reasoned.

“What?” Ashleigh asked flatly, not fully understanding what Joey meant by that. Of course he Nick knew. Didn’t he?

“Maybe he just…didn’t realize what he was doing.” Joey continued. “Look, you were devastated. You hardly talked to anyone for months.”

“I remember, thanks.” Ashleigh snapped, interrupting Joey.

Not to be defeated, Joey went on. “You’re still not over it.”

“I am so over it.” Ashleigh scoffed.

“Not you aren’t!” Joey exclaimed. “Not if he pisses you off this much. Not if he still makes you this upset. And definitely not if you still buy his cds. How many copies of Unbreakable do you have again?” She asked smugly.

“Excuse me, I didn’t realize there was a deluxe edition. I had to buy a second one to get the other two songs!” Ashleigh rolled her eyes. That was neither here nor there.

“Case in point.” Joey laughed, knowing Ashleigh was probably fuming. “Go to dinner with him. You need closure.” She advised.

Ashleigh thought about that for a moment. Was that really all she’d needed all this time? Closure…that was certainly something Nick hadn’t given her. Perhaps that’s all it was. The end had come, and Ashleigh had been too blind sighted to realize it. Maybe talking to Nick would make her feel better. Maybe she’d finally get the answers she’d been looking for back then.

“Okay.” Ashleigh said meekly. “I’ll call him back.”

After hanging up with Joey, Ashleigh stared at her phone. She was almost afraid of calling him, of giving into him yet again. It was just dinner, wasn’t it?

Of course it was. She would ask him, and he would tell her. And that would be all. Nothing to worry about. After tonight, she would close this chapter of her life and move on.

She and Nick would be over.

Swallowing, she silently pressed send.

“Hey Ash.” Nick answered quickly. He’d picked up after only one ring. Ashleigh wondered if he actually had been sitting there waiting for her to call.

“Hey. I’ll go out with you tonight.” She said quickly.

“Cool. Where? You know the city better than I do.” He said, and Ashleigh blushed. She quickly composed herself, unwilling to allow Nick to have such power over her still.

“Um, Fuji-Ya? Do you like sushi? It’s downtown…on West Lake Street…” She rambled.

“Okay.” Nick replied, smirking. She was just as he remembered her. “Seven?”

“Sure.” Ashleigh said timidly. Mentally she kicked herself. What was she doing, setting up a date while she was engaged? Closure, she reminded herself. That’s all it was.

“All right, I’ll meet you there. Later, Ash.” Nick said.

“Bye.” She replied to the dead line. What exactly was she getting herself into?
Chapter 9 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 9


Ashleigh and Joey approached the Fleet Centre that night earlier than usual. After taking a shower and making sure her hair, clothes and makeup looked perfect, Ashleigh had whisked Joey out of the hotel room. For a concert that started at seven, they were much earlier than needed.

It was four o’clock.

“This is stupid, Ash.” Joey commented as the girls walked around the empty concert venue. “You think they’re just going to let us walk in on their rehearsal?” She asked, pondering for the 50th time that afternoon why she had let Ashleigh talk her into this.

“Of course not.” Ashleigh replied, looking at Joey as if she were insane. “We’re going to wait for the scalpers so we can have first dibs!” She said, as if it were obvious.

Joey glared at Ashleigh. If waiting for Nick Carter to come sweep her off her feet had been a crazy idea, this was even more excessive. Did Ashleigh even have any idea how much those tickets were going to cost them? She didn’t have money like that!

Ashleigh just grinned over at her friend. If she could manage to get into the front row, surely Nick would recognize her. If he recognized her then he would surely have questions for her. She could picture it now…

“Why did you leave my room so quickly?” Nick would ask her, sweat dripping from his brow.

Ashleigh would giggle, as she twirled a piece of her hair. “I needed to know that you wanted me for more than one night.” She would say, a pout lingering on her lips.

Nick would pull her into his arms and give her a deep kiss. They wouldn’t be able to keep their hands off each other. “I want you forever.” He would reply, his breathing heavy, his hands shaking. He would kiss her again, this time softer, with more emotion than the last time.

She would run her hands through his hair, not caring that it was sopping wet. “I love you, Nick.” She would whisper.

“I love you too Ashleigh.” He would reply, before kissing her again…

“Ashleigh!” Joey snapped, bringing Ashleigh back from her fantasy.

“Huh?” She asked, still breath taken by her thoughts of Nick. How long had they been sitting there for?

“People are starting to crowd around outside.” Joey said, pointing to the growing entourage of Backstreet Boys fans. “We should get out of here before they kick us out.” She advised, and Ashleigh nodded.

Once the exited the building,, Ashleigh noticed a couple of men. They were obviously selling tickets. Or, attempting to. No one was really paying much attention to them.

“Just a sec, Joe.” Ashleigh said, walking over to them.

Before Joey could protest, Ashleigh was already gone.

“Good Lord.” Joey muttered to herself. She’d known ever since they were 14 that Ashleigh had had a crush on Nick Carter. But this was really starting to push it…

Joey perked up as Ashleigh went walking past her at a quick pace. “Ash! What are you doing?” She asked, following her friend.

“Going to the ATM.” Ashleigh said simply. She didn’t slow down at all until she stopped in front of the bank machine. Once there, she fumbled around in her purse until she pulled out her credit card.

Before she could put it into the machine, Joey snatched the card out of her friend’s hand. “You’re insane.” She said.

Ashleigh rolled her eyes. “It’ll be worth it when I’m married to Nick Carter.” She replied, taking back her card and proceeding to withdraw money from the machine.

Joey didn’t even bother to refute that comment, as she knew there was no use. “You know taking cash out from your credit card is probably the worst thing you can do, right? They start charging interest on that right away!” She exclaimed, not believing what Ashleigh was doing.

However, Ashleigh just ignored Joey and continued to walk back towards the scalpers. “As long as we get on the floor Joe. That’s all I care about.” She said with a grin on her face.

Joey clapped her hands over her face. Ashleigh obviously didn’t realize how irrational she was being. “I don’t even want to know how much you paid for those.” She muttered, as the two of them walked back into the now crowded arena.

Ashleigh giggled, waving the tickets in front of her friends face. “Second fucking row.” She said, her voice giddy.

Joey cracked a small smile. “That is pretty cool.” She said, starting to get just a little bit excited. Ashleigh had most certainly run herself into debt, but they may as well have fun while it lasted.

Ashleigh put her arm around her friend. She knew Joey didn’t approve of this at all, but what did it matter? After tonight, she’d be thanking her for the rest of their lives.

Meanwhile, the five Backstreet Boys were backstage getting prepared to go out on stage.

“You’re acting retarded, Nick.” AJ said as they sat in their dressing room.

“Fuck off, J.” Nick shot back, not bothering to look over at him.

“You can’t possibly be serious. Some girl walks out on you and your first thought is ‘I hope she’s here tonight so I can fuck her again’?” AJ replied, rolling his eyes.

“I said, fuck off.” Nick replied, this time glaring at AJ.

AJ didn’t seem fazed by Nick’s obvious lack of common sense. “Whatever Nicky.”

“It is a little rash, Nick.” Brian tried, a look of concern on his face. He and Nick had been best friends, but lately they’d hardly talked at all.

“Says Mr. Wallace.” Nick replied irritably.

Brian raised his eyebrows. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Nick ran his hands through his hair, causing his stylist to shriek and begin applying more gel. Nick dismissed this and stared at Brian. “It means that you’re too wrapped up in your own relationship to give a crap about anyone else’s.” He said coldly. They were really starting to piss him off. Was there a new rule he hadn’t heard about stating that every one night stand had to stay a one night stand?

AJ laughed. “This is hardly a relationship, Nick. She walked out on you! She probably didn’t even care that you were ‘OHMYGOD Nick Carter!!’” He laughed again. “I doubt you’ll find her here.”

“Even if she was here, you’d never find her.” Brian reasoned, ignoring Nick’s previous comment.

Nick didn’t answer. He refused to believe that she didn’t care who he was. That she could possibly have not been a fan.

No, because she’d been tongue tied when he’d first approached her. She had to be a fan…so then why had she left him? Had he not been good? No, that couldn’t be it. Could it? Was he losing his touch?

Nick dismissed his thoughts for the time being. He would deal with them, and the other guys after the show.

No matter how many times Ashleigh and Joey had seen the Backstreet Boys live, the beginning of the show was always exciting. The energy throughout the crowd was always high, and the first glimpse they got of the boys always made them shriek with delight.

This time however, was a little different. They were standing on the floor, as close to the stage as they had ever been before. While Ashleigh had been much closer to Nick the night before, this was something else. She’d slept with Nick last night, and now here she was, second row.

If the fans up in the stands knew, surely they would want her dead.

As the show started, Ashleigh beamed. She and Joey screamed along with the rest of the crowd. The lights dimmed, the pyrotechnics exploded.

And they were on stage. Right in front of them.

Nick took a quick second to survey the crowd. No where. He mentally cursed himself, perhaps Brian was right. Even if she was here, he’d have no luck in finding her in the hordes of fans.

Or would he? Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a blonde girl, standing closely with a brunette. They were grinning ear to ear. Nick couldn’t watch for long, as the first song was starting.

Ashleigh noticed Nick glance at her. How could she not? Her eyes didn’t leave him the entire time he was on the stage.

It wasn’t until the next song that Nick had a chance to search for her again. Sure enough, there she was, standing right next to her friend, singing along with every word.

The next time Nick looked at her, he kept his eyes on her for more than a split second. Ashleigh didn’t waste any time. The second that Nick looked at her, she blew him a quick kiss and winked at him.

That sealed it. Her cute pout, her seductive smile. After the show, she was going to be his.

Once the lights came back on, Ashleigh sat back down in her seat. “Did you see that?” She squealed, turning to Joey. “He looked right at me. I’m sure of it.”

Joey smiled. She had to admit, she had noticed Nick peek in their direction a number of times. “Yeah, I saw.” She grinned, happy for her friend. Maybe Ashleigh hadn’t been so far off after all.

While Ashleigh and Joey lingered around in their seats, Nick nearly ran offstage to his bodyguard, Bruce.

“Get that girl.” He said, stopping for a moment to catch his breath. “Bring her to my bus.” He nearly choked out as they ran to the parking lot.

“What girl?” Bruce asked, putting his hand on Nick’s shoulder as they continued to walk.

“That…one!” Nick nearly shouted. “She has blonde hair… it’s really long. Like, ridiculously long. She’s wearing this little black thing. She’s got a friend, she’s got brown hair. Her name is Ashleigh.” Nick said all in one breath.

Bruce shook his head. “I’m not getting some groupie for you, Nicky.”

Nick turned around, immensely annoyed. What was with everyone being against him today? “Go!” He shouted, running over to his bus. “I’m not leaving here without her.” He called.

So, as the two girls started to make their way out of the arena Bruce had to run back to try and find the one Nick had described.

It wasn’t difficult. The two of them were among the last to leave, as they usually were. Feeling a large hand on her shoulder, Ashleigh spun around.

“What’s your name, love?” Bruce asked, hoping that she would give the right answer. He knew that if didn’t bring her back, Nick was going to pitch a fit.

“Ashleigh.” She responded quietly, not really knowing what was going on.

“Nick requests your presence on his bus.” Bruce said, sounding bored.

Ashleigh’s eyes widened and she gave Joey a look. “Really?” She said in disbelief.

“Yes Ma’am” He replied.

“Her too?” Ashleigh asked, nudging Joey. She was still somewhat in shock. Part of her hadn’t expected this to work.

“He said he wouldn’t leave without you.”

Ashleigh nearly started hyperventilating. “Oh God. Okay. Let’s go, Joe.” Ashleigh said, pulling her friend along as she followed Bruce.

Nick had asked specifically for her. The night before, she’d been some girl in a club. Now, he was asking for her by name. Definitely surreal.

“I cannot believe you were right.” Joey said, absolutely astonished. There was no way she would have expected Ashleigh’s crazy ideas to turn into a reality. Not in a million years.

The girls were escorted into Nick’s bus shortly thereafter. Nick, wanting to be left alone with Ashleigh had phoned AJ and pleaded with him to look after Joey. After telling Nick that “he owed him one” AJ obliged and soon, Nick and Ashleigh were left to their own devices.

Face to face, yet again.

Nick walked towards Ashleigh, a smile playing on his lips. “You left without saying goodbye.” His face inching towards hers.

Trying to think of something witty, Ashleigh kissed his lips quickly. “I had to keep you thinking about me.” She smirked.

Nick kissed her yet again, letting his tongue explore her mouth. He pressed his body up against hers. Ashleigh giggled, moving her kisses down to his neck. She nearly had to stand on her tip toes to reach that high.

“You’re fucking adorable, you know that?” Nick said as she continued to kiss him.

Ashleigh grinned and soon, they were partially clothed on the floor on the bus. The two of them were kissing and touching each other as though they were old lovers who hadn’t seen each other in years.

Until the bus came to a screeching halt.

Nick shook his head, putting on his own shirt and tossing Ashleigh hers. “We’d better get going, or Kevin will be on my ass.”

Sure enough, Kevin was knocking on the door almost as soon as they had stopped in front of the hotel. Grinning, Nick and Ashleigh exited the bus.

“What the…?” Kevin started, looking in Ashleigh’s direction.

Nick put his arm around her. “Hey Kev.” He said, walking towards the hotel.

“Hi Kevin.” Ashleigh giggled, somewhat in shock. In all her excitement over Nick, she’d nearly forgotten about the other Backstreet Boys.

Kevin could only stare as Nick and what he assumed to be the fan Nick had been talking about earlier stepped inside the hotel.

That is, until AJ approached him with another surprise.

“You too?” Kevin asked sharply, glaring at him.

“Not really.” AJ replied. “She’s Nick’s girl’s friend.” He explained.

Kevin just nodded. What was Nick up to exactly?

As soon as they had stepped into Nick’s hotel room, he declared that he needed a shower. Ashleigh, ever the seductress had joined him.

Now, as the warm water ran over their bodies, Ashleigh sent small kisses down Nick’s chest, over his torso and before long she took him in her mouth. Nick breathed heavily, placing his hand on the side of the shower wall for support. This definitely made the impending lecture from Kevin worth it.

Ashleigh flicked her tongue against his tip and she continued to suck on him. Nick moaned, unable to contain himself. He lifted Ashleigh up and pushed her against the shower wall. With her arms around his neck and legs wrapped around his waist he guided himself into her, causing her to gasp with pleasure.

Slow and gentle at first, Nick gradually became rougher as the shower sprayed against his back. He pursed his lips together as ecstasy overtook his body. “Ash…” He moaned softly, enjoying the feeling of her skin against his.

“Nicky…” Ashleigh breathed as she climaxed. She tightened around Nick, sending him over the edge.

The two of them smiled a little as they stood there for a moment. They were lost in a world that contained just the two of them. A world where all they could think about was each other.
Chapter 10 by Sakabelle
Author's Notes:
Those of you who have been keeping up with this and reviewing, I really appreciate it! *hugs* This chapter is for you :) DaniGiggles, Kim, Kris, blueleeryan, sarahmarie0727, Anita, Jamia, chaotic and anyone else who is reading, I dedicate this one to you guys! Much love! xoxo
In Pieces
Chapter 10

Ashleigh sat nervously at a high table in the restaurant. She glanced at the clock on the wall. 6:54. She’d arrived early in hopes of having a drink to calm her nerves. Now, she was on her second cosmopolitan. She still didn’t have any idea why she was here, or what she was planning on saying to Nick. Before Joey had dragged her to the concert, Ashleigh had thought she would never have to deal with seeing Nick again. That was what she had wanted.

Or was it? Joey had a point, Ashleigh still did buy their cds, still checked message boards occasionally, and sometimes read old fan fics that she’d saved off the internet such a long time ago. Ashleigh snickered to herself, feeling as though she was in some bizarre Backstreet Boys story, just like the ones she and Joey used to write to get closer to their fantasies.

She hadn’t ever really gotten over him, she’d just pushed him to the back of her mind. Those cds, they were just music, weren’t they? Whenever she drove to work, she usually listened to them, getting lost in another world. She’d bought every single one of their albums on the release date.

Except for Now or Never… Ashleigh hadn’t been able to bring herself to listen to that one. When she listened to the group, Nick’s voice never tugged at her heart for too long. One of the other members would take over singing eventually. But 45 minutes of just Nick, without an escape? She didn’t think she would have made it through the first song.

She sighed, finishing her drink. This was a very bad idea, and she knew it. Yet, she didn’t get up to leave. Matt had no idea who she was with, all she’d told him was that she was going out to dinner with an old friend who was in town for a couple of days.

It wasn’t exactly a lie, but she still felt horrible for not being completely honest. He had no idea about her history with Nick. As far as he knew, she was just an obsessive Backstreet Boys fan.

Yet here she was, waiting for Nick. Her heart pounding, her inhibitions lowering on account of having two drinks in ten minutes. She was terrified and yet, strangely excited.

At exactly seven, the bell atop the door chimed as Nick sauntered through. Ashleigh’s heart caught in her throat. He was more gorgeous that she’d remembered him. He wore a dark blue polo shirt paired with black denim pants. She tried to conceal her excitement; she’d always thought blue looked best on him. Instinctively starting to play with the ring on her finger, she scolded herself. Engaged, she reminded herself.

As Nick walked towards her, he couldn’t help but smile. Her short hair framed her face, accenting her features. She was wearing a short black dress which made her look quite adult. As he got closer, he noticed that she appeared to have showered herself in glitter, as her skin shimmered under the glow of the restaurant lights. He chuckled to himself, remembering how much of a pain it had been to wash all the glitter off himself after their first night together.

He sat down across from her, and she gulped. She had no idea what to say or do, so she simply stared at the menu. Another drink? That might help.

“You came early.” Nick observed, looking at the empty glass that sat before her.

“Yeah.” She said sheepishly. Internally, she scolded herself. She was acting like a star struck fan again. Hadn’t she hated him just hours before? Curse him for making her melt all over again.

Nick didn’t know where to begin or what to say to her. “So…what have you been up to?” He asked, not even bothering to look at the menu yet.

She scoffed. Something about that question irritated her. If he wanted to know about her life as of late, why hadn’t he bothered to keep in touch? Before she had a chance to answer, the waitress came by asking Nick if he’d like a drink.

Nick glanced down at the menu. He was nervous, she was nervous… perhaps Ashleigh had the right idea. “Sake?” He asked, directing his question more at Ashleigh then at the waitress.

She nodded quickly.

Nick took another quick glance at the drink menu. “We’ll have a bottle of Otokoyama.” He said, and the waitress nodded and walked off to fetch their drinks.

“That’s a bottle meant for six people, Nick!” Ashleigh whispered in shock. Was he trying to get her drunk? She was already well on her way.

“I figured we could use it.” He replied simply. That much was true. “So, you didn’t answer my question. What’s been going on?”

She sighed, glaring at him a little. What was she supposed to tell him? I pined for you for a year and never really got over you? That didn’t seem fitting. “I don’t know. A lot of stuff.” She replied flatly.

Nick looked at her, confused. Why was she so angry with him? “Well, what did you do after you got home from the tour?” He tried.

She took a deep breath. “You wanna know?” She said softly. “I cried for weeks. I hardly did anything for months. I was completely and utterly heartbroken.” She spat, Joey would have been proud, Ashleigh’s melodrama had always amused her.

Nick sat, stunned. He wasn’t sure what she was talking about. Luckily, he was saved by the waitress returning with their sake and two small glasses, which she promptly filled. Ashleigh took a large sip from hers as Nick tried to formulate an answer. She was quite pleased with herself, for once Nick Carter didn’t have some sort of witty comeback.

“…Why?” Was all he could come up with.

She rolled her eyes, it was becoming hard for her to keep up her angry act. She was upset with him, but here he was sitting right in front of her, his eyes penetrating her. It was almost too much. “You treated me like I was some sort of fuck and chuck fling!” She whispered harshly.

Nick took a deep breath. He still didn’t understand. “That’s what it was…” He replied.

Ashleigh glared at him. Was that not the right answer? Nick didn’t know what she was talking about. He’d had sex with lots of girls in his years of touring and as far as he knew, most of them didn’t hate him afterwards.

“To you.” She said, still irritated. How was it that someone so successful, and so gorgeous could be so clueless? She had no idea. “I was falling in love with you, and you were just concerned with sex.” She said, still whispering. Why had Nick insisted on dinner? If anyone had overheard them, she’d be mortified. “Do you get it? I loved you. And you didn’t care. You were bored, you wanted someone to keep you warm at night and I wanted to be with you.”

Before Nick could speak, the waitress was back again, ready to take their food order. Having not even looked at the menu, Nick picked a random platter. Ashleigh, suddenly starving, ordered herself a deluxe platter. She felt she deserved it, what with the emotionally draining last couple of days she’d been having.

Once the waitress was gone, Nick looked at Ashleigh. She was staring down at her feet, sadness on her face. Now he got it. “I’m sorry Ash, I didn’t know.” He replied sincerely. That much was true.

“Of course you didn’t.” Ashleigh said sadly. “How could you? I never said anything, I just went with it. I was stupid to think it meant anything to you.” She finished, looking up at him, tears glistening in her eyes. As much as she felt she despised him, she couldn’t forget how much she’d needed him back then. “You never called, you never wrote. All that stuff you promised never happened.” She sighed, taking another small sip of her drink.

He looked at her, instantly feeling guilty. He hadn’t meant to use her in that way, and now that she’d opened up to him he understood. He’s broken her heart. What’s worse, he hadn’t even given her a second thought at the time. She’d left, and that had been it.

He placed his hand on top of hers, rubbing her fingers slightly. To his surprise, she didn’t look away. She just smiled softly at him, trying to compose herself. They’d had fun together, hadn’t they? Why exactly hadn’t he given her a chance? He’d been so busy with the tour, and then the group took a break and he’d done his solo project that he hadn’t had time to have a thought to himself. Maybe now she’d give him a chance to make things right.

Or not. His thumb ran over the large ring on her finger. “You’re married?” He asked, stunned.

She shook her head, snapping back to reality. She’d forgotten about that again. Shaking her head, she quickly answered. “No. Engaged.”

Nick just stared at her, confused all over again. If she was engaged, then why was she here with him? That didn’t seem like something someone who had supposedly found the love of their life would do. “Wow, congratulations.” He said, moving his hand off of hers.

“Thanks.” She mumbled. Any excitement she’d had about her upcoming wedding had been shattered when Nick had showed up in her life.

Wanting to turn the conversation around in a more positive direction, Nick pressed a little more. “How’d he propose?” He asked, hoping that would cause her to smile.

She rolled her eyes and laughed a little. “It was kind of weird. We had a big argument about commitment and where our relationship was going. I left our house all angry, and went to Joey’s for the night.” She said, looking up at Nick. “When I got back, he had a ring and said he’d done a lot of thinking and that he was ready to get married.”

Nick squinted at her. He didn’t know if that was a sweet gesture, or if it was kind of a jerkish thing for the guy to do. Still, he wasn’t really in a position to be critiquing Ashleigh’s boyfriend’s faults. “It took an argument for him to decide he wanted to marry you?” He said, not able to stop himself.

Ashleigh raised an eyebrow, finishing her drink. “It took you eight years to want to talk to me again.” She shot back, cracking a smile to show Nick that she was joking.

Nick laughed. “I guess you’re right.”

After getting her feelings out on the table, Ashleigh felt quite a bit more comfortable. Nick really hadn’t realized what he’d done to her. Even though it hurt her that he didn’t feel the same way about her that she had, it still made her content to know that he understood now. Now she would be able to move on. “So, Paris Hilton, Nick?” She said with a mocking grin, attempting to change the subject. Besides, it was something she’d always wondered about. “What possessed you to do that?” She asked, wrinkling her nose.

Nick sighed, but he couldn’t help but laugh. “I have no idea.” He answered honestly. “Second biggest mistake I ever made.”

“Oh really?” She smirked. “What was the first?”

Nick poured more sake into both of their empty glasses. “Hurting you.” He replied, his eyes starting into hers.

Ashleigh blushed. She knew it was just a line, but still something inside her felt excited about Nick all over again. “Uh huh.” She said, shaking her head playfully.

“I mean it, Ash.” He said, finishing the sake in his glass, and quickly refilling it. “We had such a good time that summer. I never indented to upset you. I honestly didn’t know.”

“I know, Nick.” She replied, sipping from her cup lightly. She mentally told herself to slow down on the drinks. Dinner wasn’t even here yet. She looked him in the eyes, and her heart fluttered in her chest again. Alcohol, it was only the alcohol that was doing this to her. It couldn’t possibly be Nick, she was very much over him. Or so she liked to believe.

Moments later, their food was set in front of them. The waitress asked them if they needed anything else, and when Nick asked for a fork, Ashleigh laughed.

“You don’t know how to use chopsticks?!” She giggled, highly amused. He’d spent a lot of time in Japan, how had he managed there?

“Here.” She said, hopping off her chair and walking over to him. “Let me show you.”

Standing beside him, she placed her hand on top of Nick’s. She attempted to help him use the chopsticks correctly, and it didn’t exactly work. She looked at him, laughing a little.

Nick just stared at her. He’d couldn’t help but wonder how he had managed to dismiss her completely all those years ago. She was fun, cute and evidently knew how to eat properly in a Japanese restaurant. He’d enjoyed her company on the tour, for more than just sex, as he recalled. Sex was the reason they’d come together in the first place, but it wasn’t the only reason he’d kept her around.

So why had he let her go so easily? Nick couldn’t answer that. She’d been a fan, yes, but that hadn’t stopped him from sleeping with her and certainly didn’t stop him from being attracted to her. In his selfishness at that young age, he hadn’t realized what he’d had right in front of him. While Brian and Kevin had married their perfect matches, Nick had thrown his out the window.

So, acting on pure instinct, as he had done throughout their entire relationship (if you could call it that) he moved his lips towards hers and kissed her softly.

She pulled away from him after a moment, and he was unable to read the look on her face. She didn’t seem angry, she didn’t walk out of the restaurant and she didn’t smack him across the face. Instead, she gave him a warm smile and walked back to her seat. “You’re going to make yourself look like a fool if you eat with a fork.” She giggled, expertly using her chopsticks to dig into her food.

Nick laughed. “I think I’ll be okay.” He said, and commenced to eat using the fork.

As they ate, Nick and Ashleigh easily managed to talk to each other. Each one of them not really knowing what to say, and yet talking about anything and everything.

“So you finished University?” Nick asked, remembering that the reason for her leaving the tour was that school was starting.

Ashleigh nodded, finishing yet another glass of sake. “Yeah. I did marketing and business.” She replied.

Nick nodded. “What do you do now?” He asked.

“I own a coffee shop.” She grinned.

Nick raised his eyebrow. “Starbucks?” He questioned.

Ashleigh wrinkled her nose. “God, no!” She laughed. As she ranted about why she hated the popular coffee chain with a passion, Nick couldn’t help but smile. She was everything he could have asked for. Why he hadn’t realized this all those years ago, he didn’t know.

The two of them spent the next few hours in the restaurant, staying until they noticed that the place was closing. As they stood outside, both waiting for taxi’s to come pick them up. Ashleigh turned to Nick, not particularly wanting the evening to end, but knowing that she didn’t have a choice in the matter. She had to go back home, Matt would be wondering where she was if she wasn’t back soon. “Where are you staying?” She asked.

“The Crowne Plaza.” He said, as a taxi pulled up on front of him. “Room 1508.” He added.

Before stepping into the cab, Nick gave Ashleigh another soft kiss. Again, she momentarily forgot about her fiancée waiting at home for her, and responded to his lips on hers. “Goodnight Nick.” She said softly.

“Night, Ash.” He smiled, climbing into the taxi.
Chapter 11 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 11


Ashleigh awoke the next morning to a loud banging on Nick’s hotel room door.

“Get up, Nickolas!” She heard Kevin’s voice shout through the wall.

She glanced over at Nick, who was dead to the world. He didn’t look as though he was going to wake up anytime soon. Grinning to herself, she climbed out of the bed and pulled Nick’s discarded t-shirt from the night before over herself. Opening the door, she attempted to contain her giddiness as she came face to face with Kevin.

“Hi Kevin!” She said, beaming.

Kevin didn’t crack a smile. “Is he awake yet?”

Ashleigh glanced back into the room. Nope, Nick was still asleep. “No.” She said shaking her head quickly. Kevin really was a hardass, just as she had Joey had suspected. “Did you need him for something?”

Kevin sighed. It wasn’t surprising that Nick would stay up late with some girl, only to neglect his work the next day. “There’s a radio interview in half and hour. I want him downstairs in ten minutes.” Kevin replied coolly, turning and walking away.

Closing the door, Ashleigh walked back over to the bed, and crawled on top of Nick. “Nicky…” She purred, kissing him softly on the cheek.

Nick stirred a little. “Mm?”

“Kevin says you guys have some radio thing.” She said, sitting up.

Nick opened his eyes and glanced at the clock. Grudgingly, he got up and headed towards the shower. “Fucking Kevin.” He mumbled, stumbling towards the washroom.

Still grinning, Ashleigh flopped back down onto the bed. This time, she hadn’t left early. After last night, it was clear to her that Nick wanted her around for more than just meaningless sex. If that was he’d wanted, he wouldn’t have gone through all the trouble of seeking her out and asking for her by name.

Nick emerged from the washroom a few minutes later, and began to dig through his suitcase in search of something to wear. He glanced over at Ashleigh, she was still in his room. At least he would now have someone to keep him busy for the remainder of their time in Boston, he figured. After getting dressed and styling his hair (which Ashleigh watched intently) he turned to her.

“What are you doing today?” He asked.

She shook her head. “Nothing.” She said. “Well, besides the concert tonight.”

He nodded, fumbling around the table in search of something. He’d only been in Boston for two nights, and already the room was a mess. Finally, he found it. “Here.” He said, handing her his extra room key. “I’ll see you after.” He smirked, kissing her quickly before he left the room.

Nick Carter’s hotel room key was in her hands. She felt like she was on top of the world. Basking in her glory for a moment, she quickly got dressed in the clothes she had been wearing the night before. She knew she’d have to go back to her own hotel room to change, but now she had a free pass to come back whenever she wanted.

As Ashleigh gathered her things, there was another knock on the door. This time, it was a much more pleasant surprise.

“Look.” Ashleigh said, unable to contain her excitement as she shoved the room key into Joey’s face.

Joey looked at her, confused for a moment. “You’re taking his room key?!” She asked in disbelief. “You’re going psycho, Ash.”

“What?” Ashleigh asked, as Joey stepped into the room. “He gave it to me!” She grinned.

Joey’s eyes widened. Nick giving it to Ashleigh was even more unbelievable than Ashleigh taking it on her own. “Seriously?” She squeaked.

Ashleigh nodded in excitement. “Oh yeah. I told you, Joe. He’s in love with me.” She sighed.

Joey raised an eyebrow. She didn’t have the heart to tell her friend that Nick probably just wanted to have sex, and keeping Ashleigh around would be easier than picking up a different girl every night. “Right…” Joey replied. “So, how was it?” She asked, partially changing the subject. “I read in Cosmo that it’s better the second time.”

Ashleigh nodded as the two girls walked down the hallway. “Much better. We did it in the shower.” She grinned.

Joey whistled. “That’s hot.” She said. “Definitely hot.”

While Ashleigh and Joey made their way back to their own hotel, Nick was in a car on his way to the radio station.

“Have fun last night, Nick?” AJ asked slyly. “I could hear you through the wall.”

Nick blushed. “Shut up.” He said, playing with his Discman. “How was her friend?”

AJ shrugged. “She’s cool. We watched a couple of movies, laughed at the noises you were making.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “Whatever, J. You didn’t hear us.”

“How long do you plan on keeping her around, Nick?” Kevin asked, somewhat irritated. Nick’s groupies had always bothered him.

Nick shrugged. “I don’t know. Until we leave Boston, I guess. I assume she lives here.”

AJ shook his head. “Wrong again, Nicky.” He said, laughing. “They’re from Minneapolis.”

Kevin narrowed his eyes. “Then what the hell are they doing here?” He asked.

“They’re trailing our tour.” AJ explained, remembering what Joey had told him the night before. He shot Nick a look. “And if you did more with your groupies than just fuck them, you’d know that.”

Nick smirked at Kevin. “Well, then I guess she’ll be around for quite a while.” He laughed, and glanced at AJ. “And that’s what groupies are for. And if you did more with yours than just talk, you’d know that.” He shot back, placing his earphones over his head, not caring to hear anymore sarcastic comments. All she was doing was keeping him company, no harm in that, right?

That night, Ashleigh rolled her suitcase back into Nick’s room. That afternoon, she and Joey had packed their things and checked out of their room. After the concert, they’d promptly driven Aaron’s car from the arena to the hotel where they’d spent two nights already.

“Following us on tour, are you?” Nick asked cheekily, as she strolled into his room. He was sitting on the bed lazily, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Ashleigh suspected he’d just gotten out of the shower.

“How’d you know?” She asked quizzically. She hadn’t recalled actually having any sort of conversation with Nick.

“Your friend told AJ.” He replied dismissively. He nearly frowned, thinking about AJ’s comments towards him earlier. He talked to his groupies! Well…this one at least. “You hungry?” He asked her, and Ashleigh quickly nodded.

“Let’s go get AJ and your friend and get some food.” He suggested, standing up from the bed. This would show AJ.

“Okay!” She exclaimed, grabbing her purse and following Nick out of the room.

Half an hour later, the six of them were sitting in a booth at a nearby pizza place. Once Brian and Leighanne had caught wind of the idea of dinner, they’d decided to tag along.

Nick gave AJ a look as he sat with his arm around Ashleigh. As if to say “See? I can do more with fans than just sleep with them.”

Leighanne and Brian just looked at each other, both unsure of what was going on before them. Dating a fan certainly hadn’t been one of Nick’s better ideas.

“So, you guys are following the guys around all summer?” Leighanne attempted, not really knowing what she was supposed to say to these girls. However, she got the feeling that Nick’s stubbornness was going to keep them around for a while.

Joey nodded, she was starting to feel a little more comfortable sitting with her idols. Very quickly she had learned that they were just normal people. Glancing over at her best friend, she noticed Ashleigh was still grinning like an idiot. Evidently she hadn’t yet come to that conclusion. “Yeah. We had to work tech support for six months. Remember, Ash?” Joey said, trying to get Ashleigh to tear her eyes away from Nick.

“Huh? Oh yeah.” Ashleigh said, finally noticing that Joey was talking to her. “It was lame. But worth it.” She finished, putting her head on Nick’s shoulder.

Brian tried to catch Nick’s eye, to try and figure out just what was going through his head. There had to be more to this than he was letting on, Nick just didn’t date random girls at the drop of a hat. Hell, he didn’t date girls at all, he only slept with them! So what exactly was Nick trying to prove with this girl that seemed so enamored with him. Did Nick have any idea what he was getting himself into? Brian didn’t think so.

Joey rolled her eyes. Ashleigh wasn’t making them look good at all, sitting there gawking at Nick. She tried to play it off. “It was horrid. Can you believe there are some people out there who don’t know what the space bar on the keyboard is?” She laughed. “I had to explain it to this one lady for ten minutes.”

Brian smiled. At least Ashleigh’s friend seemed normal enough. “So you’re enjoying the shows, then?” She asked, and Joey promptly nodded.

“Oh yeah! I mean, we’ve had really bad seats for the most part ‘cause they’re so cheap…but yeah! It’s awesome!” She said, smiling. Even if Ashleigh acting insane, she still was having a good time on the tour. How could she not? She was having dinner with three fifths of the group!

Brian nodded. Truthfully, he didn’t even know what he was supposed to say to her, or Ashleigh. Though, by the looks of it Ashleigh didn’t seem to want to talk to anyone besides Nick. The two of them were engrossed in their own conversation. Watching his best friend, he made a mental note to talk to Nick later. Clearly, something was up.

But Nick just sat, quietly conversing with Ashleigh. He didn’t care that Brian was watching him, in fact, he was a little glad. Now, while Brian sat all lovingly with his wife, Nick no longer had to feel lonely and inadequate. He now had his own girl he could flaunt in front of the rest of them. For the rest of the summer, anyway.
Chapter 12 by Sakabelle
Author's Note: I want to thank all of you who are taking the time to read and review this story. It really means a lot to me. I dedicate this chapter to you, my wonderfully awesome readers. *hugs and kisses*

In Pieces
Chapter 12

It was nearly two in the morning when Ashleigh finally stepped back inside her and Matt’s house. Her dinner with Nick had gone much better than she had expected. No longer was she angry with him or harboring resentment towards him. Instead, she found herself wanting to see more of him, wanting to fill the gap that had come between them in the years they hadn’t spoken to each other.

Quietly, as though not to awaken her sleeping fiancée, Ashleigh made her way down to the basement. Switching on the lights, she searched through the storage room. “Where is that box?” She muttered to herself as she dug through the endless amounts of junk.

Finally, she spied her treasure atop a shelf. Pulling down the box which had once held her stereo, she walked into the den.

The box no longer contained a stereo system. Strewn about across the floor was countess books, video cassettes, magazine pin-ups, t-shirts, cds, Burger King toys and other pieces of memorabilia. Picking up a tape, she giggled as she read the handwritten label.

Backstreet TV
Homecoming: Live in Orlando
Diary of the Backstreet Boys
Backstreet Boys: Larger Than Life

It was a tape of specials she’d recorded off television. Smiling, she popped the tape into the VCR and curled up on the couch. She didn’t care that she had to work in the morning, she was hardly tired.

“Good afternoon and welcome to Total Request Live.” Carson Daly said through the screen. “Today we have some very special guests in the studio with us. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome The Backstreet Boys.”

Ashleigh smiled as she watched the familiar footage. She couldn’t even begin to count the endless hours she and Joey had spent watching these tapes. She giggled as Nick told Carson his favourite place to go on tour had been Australia. He changed his answer every time he was asked that question.

She smiled when they performed I Want It That Way. That song had always been a favourite of hers. When the video had first premiered on MTV, Ashleigh fondly remembered phoning Joey shrieking “Turn on MTV! It’s on, it’s on!”

The homecoming concert had also been a favourite of hers. She’d watched it time and time again, re-living her concert experience.

Sighing, she fast forwarded to the Larger than Life special. It had aired after she’d returned home from the tour. She’d recorded it, but hadn’t ever brought herself to watch it. Now more than ever, she felt the need to re-live those Black and Blue concert days.

As the program started, the boys appeared on screen singing Larger Than Life. Ashleigh’s breath caught in her throat as she watched Nick dance and sing on the stage. There he was, 21 year old Nick. The man she’d once thought was the love of her life.

She grinned, quietly singing along to the music. Where had this show been filmed? AJ had said Los Angeles. Ashleigh had been at that show. It had been one of the last ones before she and Joey had to return home, as she recalled. She shuddered at the memory, her 18 year old self had no idea about the emotional turmoil that lay ahead of her.

Ashleigh continued to watch her videos, not noticing the time at all. She began to feel conflicted. Nick had hurt her terribly, and yet she still found herself drawn to him. He’d seemed genuinely sorry for what he’d done. Maybe he just hadn’t realized that it had meant something to her more than a fling.

But if to him, it had truly just been a fling, why had he been so insistent in seeing her? She couldn’t help but wonder. She didn’t want him to leave without answering her questions, without seeing him again. Her mind told her she was being irrational, that she was being silly, that it was a bad idea. Her heart and the 18 year old girl that still lived inside her told her otherwise. She glanced at the clock on the wall. It was just past five thirty, her store would be opening in half an hour. Besides, she was engaged. She already had a man who loved her; there was no need for her to continue obsessing over an old crush, boyfriend, fling…whatever Nick had been.

Standing up, Ashleigh figured she may as well get ready to head down to work. Switching off the VCR, she began to pack up her things. As she placed the videos and other things back into the box, a small envelope fell and spilled onto the floor.

Picking it up, Ashleigh came face to face with herself at 18 years of age. Grinning ear to ear, she was standing backstage with Nick who had his arms wrapped around her. She and Joey had managed to take copious amounts of pictures documenting their summer. Flipping through them, Ashleigh shook her head. She and Nick certainly had looked cute together.

She stopped at one of the last pictures. She and Nick were standing, at what she remembered to be the last night she’d been with him. They were kissing, Nick’s hand placed gently underneath her chin. How sad she’d been that night, the only thing that had consoled her was her belief that she was going to see him again.

Placing the photos back into the envelope, she put the rest of the box away and headed up stairs. After taking a quick shower and changing her clothes, she was out the door.

As she drove, she absent mindedly turned on the radio. Flipping to Cities97, she couldn’t say she was shocked at what she heard. Not after the week she’d been having.

I hold you close and it all goes crazy
If you would only be my lady
Why…tell me why
You’re everything, everything but mine

She continued to stare at the road in front of her. The sun was just starting to come up, giving the sky an orange glow. She tried to concentrate on driving, and the impending work day that was ahead of her but it was impossible.

Time takes time
It’s not too late
To tell you how I feel…

Engaged, she reminded herself. Engaged, engaged, engaged… She had wanted to go into work early to try and take her mind off things, but it was no use.

She was already heading towards The Crowne Plaza.

Silently, she stood outside of room 1508. She’d come this far, only to feel like chickening out at the last second. Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the door.

Nothing.

Again, she knocked.

“Howie, no matter how hard you try, you’ll never be as intimidating as Kevin.” She heard Nick’s voice call out. Giggling, she knocked on the door again. After a few moments, she heard Nick walk towards the door.

“We don’t leave until noon, give it up Howard.” Nick stopped as he realized it wasn’t Howie at all that was rapping at his door at six in the morning.

“Ashleigh.” Nick said, surprised that she’d actually come back to see him. He hadn’t expected that, especially after how upset she’d been with him. Yet, she hadn’t pushed him away at all either. Not once they were talking comfortably. “Come in.” He gestured, opening the door a little wider.

Ashleigh blushed. She was all dressed up, and here was Nick wearing only a t-shirt and boxers. Not surprisingly, this only fueled her returning attraction to him. “Nick…” She started, sitting down on his bed. She hadn’t exactly planned out what she was going to say to him. She didn’t know what she’d expected to come of her visit, all she’d known was that she’d needed to see him again.

Nick sat down beside her, instantly awake. She’d come back, maybe things weren’t so perfect with her fiancée after all. Or maybe she’d never really gotten over him. He tried to search her face for clues, but came up with nothing. She just looked at her feet, not knowing what to say or do.

“Nick.” She tried again. “Your favourite colour is blue… you only say it’s green because Kevin and Brian had already claimed it for their own.” She stated.

He looked at her skeptically. Where was she going with this?

“When you get a meal at McDonald’s, you always eat your fries first, because a burger can be reheated if it gets cold. You drink half your coke before the meal, and half after. You like watching weird Asian slasher movies, you love unsweetened iced tea and always forget that they don’t have it in Canada until it’s too late and you’ve already ordered it with your food…” She rambled, looking up at him. “You yell at the TV when you’re losing one of your games and when you’re playing Mario Kart you lean to the side as if it’ll make a difference.”

Nick didn’t say anything, he just waited for her to continue. It was endearing to him, to hear her say such quirks about him. Things that only people who had been close to him noticed.

“I don’t know why I remember all of that stuff, I guess it was just things I noticed about you. Before I met you, you were Nick Carter…this super hot guy who I didn’t think I’d ever have a chance with. Then I did and you became Nick.” She said, stressing his name with anguish in her voice. “Still a super hot guy but so much more than just some cheesy poster on my wall.”

“When we got together…I didn’t think it was going to end. I’d never even heard the word breakup before you came along, and we didn’t even break up, we were never even together in the first place. After a while, I managed to forget about you and move on. But now I can’t stop thinking, what if it hadn’t ended? What if you wanted me just as much as I’d wanted you? And I know it’s so stupid, and you must think that I’m just really stupid for showing up here like this…” She stopped, looking up at him. She couldn’t read his expression. He just looked at her, waiting for her to continue. She wasn’t sure what else she should say.

“You’re really freaking me out, Nick.” She said. “Say something.”

He sighed. He hadn’t expected anything to come out of his fling with her at all. Yet, here she was, confessing her past love to him. Part of him wanted to tell her that he’d felt the same way about her, but he knew that wasn’t true. Back then, he really had only been concerned with having sex and having something to come back to after a show.

Now, he wasn’t so sure. What if it hadn’t ended, what if he had given their relationship a chance to develop? She was nice, genuine, and she didn’t quite take things lightly. Maybe someone like her would be good for him.

“I don’t know what to say, Ash. I was kind of a jerk back then. If I could make it up to you, I would.”

She laughed a little. Now he was willing to fix things. Now, when she was unavailable. Yet, she didn’t really care. A stupid decision, maybe. Again, her mind screamed at her to leave and never look back…and her heart disagreed. She didn’t want to look back in another eight years and wonder what might have been.

He touched her face gently, his fingers tracing her skin. “What can we do, Nick?” She asked softly, her voice barely above a whisper. “Nothing. I’m engaged.”

He kissed her delicately and she didn’t push him away. Instead she wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled herself closer to him. “Engaged aint married.” Nick pointed out in between kisses.

As much as Ashleigh wanted to agree with Nick’s logic, she couldn’t. Still, she didn’t stop him. This entire situation was wrong, and she knew what she was about to do was awful, but she couldn’t bring herself to stop.

Nick’s lips moved down to her neck, and stopped at her collarbone. Slowly, he unbuttoned her blouse, revealing her lacy white bra. Tossing her shirt to the ground, Nick leaned back and pulled Ashleigh on top of him. His hands explored her back as he continued to kiss her. Slowly, he moved his hands down to her pants and tugged on the elastic band around her waist.

Almost effortlessly, Ashleigh wiggled out of her pants and soon, they were joined with her shirt on the floor. She ran her hands down his sides, slipping her hands underneath his cotton t-shirt. Pulling him to an upright position, she straddled him as she pulled the shirt over his head.

Nick didn’t waste any time. He pulled her close to him, enjoying the feeling of her soft skin against his. He fumbled with the clip of her bra, mentally cursing. He always seemed to have trouble with those things. After what seemed like an eternity, Nick finally managed to get it off.

“Imagine that, Nick Carter unable to take off a girl’s underwear.” Ashleigh giggled, continuing to kiss him.

“Quiet.” Nick smiled, flipping her onto her back. He placed a trail of kisses down her chest and over her stomach. He smirked to himself, noticing her underwear. She’d always had a thing for wearing those boyshort style panties. He’d always thought that was cute. Slipping them off of her, he spread her legs.

Ashleigh took a sharp breath as Nick’s tongue touched her. “God, Nick…” She moaned, enjoying the sensation Nick was giving her. Instinctively, she reached her hand for his. Their fingers intertwined, and Ashleigh arched her back as Nick flicked his tongue against her.

She trembled as Nick sent pleasure throughout her body. “Nick…please…” She moaned, practically begging for him.

Nick obliged. Pulling his boxers off, he grabbed a condom off of the bedside table. He’d learned very quickly that was the best place for them. Ripping the package open, he placed it on himself. He hovered over Ashleigh for a few moments, looking intently at her. Pieces of her hair were in her eyes, which were covered in significantly less makeup than Nick remembered her wearing in the past. No glitter this time either.

Ashleigh put her hand on Nick’s lower back, guiding him inside her. Nick moaned as their hips touched. “Ash…” He said softly, brushing the hair out of her eyes.

Ashleigh wrapped her legs around Nick’s waist, and pulled him closer to her. He kissed her forehead lightly, almost afraid to move. She placed her hands on the back of his neck and kissed him deeply. “It’s okay Nick.” She whispered.

He began to roll his hips against hers, slow at first wanting to make the most of their time together. Ashleigh buried her head in Nick’s shoulder as she moved against him. Everything about this was so wrong on so many levels but she didn’t care. She’d been waiting for this day for eight years, and now that it was here she wasn’t going to let it slip away from her.

Nick closed his eyes as he sped up his pace. He felt ridiculously guilty, having sex with her only to break her heart again. Of course, he hadn’t known back then how she’d been feeling. Nick dismissed that as an excuse, even if he had, he probably wouldn’t have cared. Now, being close to her, remembering the two months they’d shared together, he cared.

Finally, he understood what she’d been talking about earlier. His fame had drawn her to him, but over the short time they’d spent with each other she’d taken the time to get to know who he really was. Selfishly, he hadn’t noticed. He’d only been concerned with making himself look not so pathetic in front of Kevin and Brian. In his selfishness, he hadn’t realized what was right in front of him. She’d been star stuck, she’d been immature, and over the time he hadn’t seen her, she’d grown up.

And now, she was with someone else. Not that it really seemed to matter to her, as it was his name that she was breathing, his eyes that she was staring into, his neck that she was kissing. She tightened around him, kissing his neck softly. “Nick…” She moaned, feeling herself approach her climax. “Oh God, Nick…”

Nick continued to thrust hard against her, until he reached his own orgasm. “Ashleigh…” He panted, slowing down. Her hair was in her eyes again, and again, he brushed it out.

Neither one of them moved or spoke for a moment. Ashleigh closed her eyes tightly as Nick leaned down to kiss her once more.

Rolling off her, Nick quickly got rid of the condom and turned to her. She held her knees to her chest and her head down. What had she done? She had spent the last eight years of her life trying to forget about him, only to have every single feeling come rushing back in a matter of days? She disgusted herself. If Nick leaving her once and broken her heart, twice would surely kill her.

Nick didn’t know what, if anything, he was supposed to say to her. He could only imagine how she must be feeling, having just cheated on her fiancée.

Luckily, he was saved by a loud knocking on his door. “Nick! We’re going to go for breakfast before the flight. You wanna come with?” Rang AJ’s voice through the thin hotel walls.

Nick rolled his eyes, and Ashleigh looked up and smiled at him. Quickly, she got dressed and Nick pulled on his boxers and t-shirt. Opening the door a crack, he faced AJ. “Not going.” He said quickly, before closing the door.

But AJ didn’t let him. He gave Nick a questioning look. “Dude, what were you doing?” He laughed, taking note of Nick’s dripping hair and breathlessness.

“Nothing.” Nick stated, attempting to close the door again. Instead, Ashleigh came up behind him.

“Bye Nick.” She said, fully clothed and ready to leave. She pulled him in for a quick kiss, praying that this time wouldn’t hurt as much as it had before. Squeezing out through the door, she smiled at AJ. “Bye, AJ.” She said, and began to walk down the hall.

AJ stared at Nick, wide eyed. “That isn’t…?”

Nick nodded. “Yeah.”

AJ put his hand on Nick’s shoulder before walking back to his own hotel room. “Oh my fucking God. I’ll wait for you for breakfast, because I have got to hear about this.” He said, and Nick shut the door without a word.

He leaned against the door. She wasn’t angry with him again, was she? No, she had been smiling when she’d left. Nick hit his fist against the door, how he had let her escape him before, he would never know. Not this time, he assured himself. This time, he wouldn’t let her get away. This time, he would call her.
Chapter 13 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 13

Kevin shook his head as he and the rest of the Backstreet Boys gathered in the hallway. That morning, they were leaving Boston and heading to Ottawa. As everyone got ready to check out of the hotel, they stood around discussing the tentative itinerary of the next few days.

Except for Nick. He had Ashleigh in his arms, kissing her goodbye. She wouldn’t be traveling on the bus with him, as she and Joey still had Aaron’s car with them. Naturally, Ashleigh was devastated that she wouldn’t be able to see Nick for the eight hour drive.

Kevin and the others exchanged a glance as they watched Nick. Joey stood with them, growing more worried about her friend by the day. She didn’t think Ashleigh really had any idea what she was getting herself involved in.

Kevin tried the subtle approach of clearing his throat. Nick and Ashleigh either didn’t notice him, or didn’t care.

“Nick.” Kevin said, getting irritated. He’d thought getting through to Nick had been difficult before, now he had to deal with Nick sucking face every five minutes. “Say goodbye to your girlfriend and let’s get going.”

Ashleigh blushed at the sound of Kevin calling her Nick’s girlfriend. She’d spent all of her time in Boston with Nick and was growing more attached to him by the minute. “I guess I should get going.” She said reluctantly.

Nick quickly kissed her again. “I’ll see you tonight.” He smiled, and Joey promptly pulled Ashleigh towards the elevators.

“Bye, guys!” Joey chirped. “See you later!” She called as the two girls stepped into the elevator.

Nick sauntered over to the rest of the guys, running his hand through his hair. They were all giving him quizzical looks, which was exactly what he had wanted. No longer was he just their pathetic friend that couldn’t get a girl for longer than a night. Now, he had someone to flaunt in front of them.

“I think I speak for all of us when I ask you, what the hell is going on, Nick?” Kevin asked, as soon as the girls were gone.

Nick shrugged, pretending not to know what they were talking about. “Nothing.” He said defensively. “Is it so wrong for me to want to date someone?” He asked accusingly.

Kevin sighed. “No, but bringing two crazy fans on tour isn’t exactly the best way to go about it.”

“Hey, her friend is cool!” AJ jumped to Joey’s defense, causing Kevin to give him a look.

Nick rolled his eyes. It still seemed like everyone was against him. Yes, he’d made some bad decisions in the past, but it wasn’t as though he was planning on getting serious with this girl. She’d follow them around on their tour, meet up with him after the show and when the summer was over, she’d go home ad it would be over. What was so wrong about that? “I’m capable of making my own decisions, Kev.” Nick said flatly. “You don’t need to baby-sit me.”

“We’re just concerned, Nick.” Brian said. Nick scoffed, the last thing he wanted was to be lectured by someone who supposedly thought they knew everything there was to know about relationships.

“Well don’t be.” Nick said harshly.

Kevin sighed. Feeling as though there was no way they were going to get through to Nick at the moment, he decided to continue talking about the itinerary. “So, as I was saying, once we get into Ottawa…”

Once the boys were in their busses and on the highway, the girls promptly followed right behind in Aaron’s car.

Ashleigh sulked in the passengers seat. She’d spent the last four days straight with Nick, and now she was forced to spend eight hours cramped in a car while he lived the life of luxury.

Joey looked over at her sullen friend. She’d never seen Ashleigh fall so head over heels for a guy. In fact, she’d never had a serious boyfriend before this. If you could call Nick a “serious boyfriend”. Joey wasn’t so sure. She got the sinking feeling Ashleigh didn’t exactly realize what was going on between then.

“Come on Ash, cheer up.” Joey said with a grin. “This’ll be fun, we can gossip!”

Ashleigh just pouted. “I miss Nick.”

Joey smiled at her friend, trying to lighten the mood. “I know, but you’ll see him in a few hours. Besides, I’ve hardly seen you in the last couple of days. Tell me everything.” She grinned. The fact that Ashleigh was neglecting her on a trip that was supposed to be for them was starting to get to her. She held her tongue for the only saving grace that while Ashleigh fawned over Nick; Joey got to hang out with the other Backstreet Boys.

Ashleigh gave Joey a small smile. What had she and Nick done in the last few days, other than have sex? She really couldn’t think of anything worthwhile to tell her friend. “There isn’t really much to tell.” She shrugged.

Joey frowned. “Come on, there has to be something. You’ve spent the last couple of days with Nick Carter, for God’s sake!”

Ashleigh shrugged. “I dunno.” She really wasn’t in the mood to talk about Nick, it only made her miss him more. “What have you been doing?”

Joey grinned. Truthfully, she’d been having a great time hanging out with AJ. She was glad he seemed to pay attention to her, even if her best friend didn’t. “I went with AJ and Howie to this really cool place for dinner the other night. It was like a re-make of a 50’s diner type thing. Really cool.”

Ashleigh smiled. She had to admit, that did sound like a lot of fun. “Did the waitresses wear roller skates and stuff?” She asked.

“Yeah! And poodle skirts too! You and Nick should’ve come with us.”

Ashleigh pouted again. “We were busy.”

Joey bit her lip. She didn’t really know what to say to Ashleigh. Part of her wanted to warn her about Nick, especially after having conversed with AJ and Howie. Nick really didn’t seem like the ideal guy.

“I hope your friend knows what she’s getting into.” Howie had said, as the three of them sat in a booth. “Nick…doesn’t always make the best choices.”

AJ nodded. “He’s been acting really weird lately. Tell Ashleigh to be careful. The last thing we need is a real life version of The Call video.” He laughed.

Now Ashleigh sat glumly beside her. She was falling for him, and Joey didn’t think there was much she could do about it. If she did try to warn her, Ashleigh would probably just get defensive and angry. Better to leave it be, she figured. “Nick’s that good, is he?” Joey laughed.

Ashleigh smiled, but continued to look out the window. “He’s amazing.”

When the girls finally arrived in Ottawa, Ashleigh practically jumped out of the car and ran into the hotel. Joey sighed, as they rode up the elevator Ashleigh was giddy with anticipation.

Yet again, the boys were talking in the hallway. Presumably about their plans for the next couple of days. Running up behind Nick, Ashleigh nearly tackled him to the ground. Joey rolled her eyes.

“Hey, you guys made it!” Nick said, pulling her in for a kiss.

“Of course.” She said, a smile plastered to her face.

Sensing that they were about to lose Nick to the depths of his hotel room yet again, Kevin cleared his throat. “I hate to break up your reunion, but we’ve got an autograph singing in forty five minutes.”

Ashleigh pouted yet again. “Well, I’ll come with you.” She said turning to Nick, who obviously knew better than to agree with her.

Kevin shook his head. “That won’t be necessary.”

Again, Joey bit her lip. Ashleigh was acting totally ridiculous. “Come on Ash.” She said, taking her friends hand. “We can come back later. I kind of wanted to go look around and touristy things.” She suggested, trying to get her friend to forget about her obsession with Nick for at least a little while.

Ashleigh sighed, but she obliged. “All right. I guess we’ll see you guys later.” She said sadly. “Bye Nick.” She said, kissing him softly before she was quickly whisked away by Joey.

Nick glared at Kevin once the girls were gone. “You know, I don’t see why they couldn’t come along. I think they would have had fun.” He said, irritated.

“Yes Nick, they would have had so much fun watching you sign autographs and kiss other girls on the cheek. I’m sure Ashleigh would have loved that.” AJ said sarcastically. “Besides, did you want her picture all over every internet message board? Because if anyone saw you and her together, and you know that they would, that’s what would happen.”

Nick rolled his eyes, but he knew AJ was right. Not that it mattered, that night Ashleigh would be back at their hotel and he would her all to himself. “I guess.” He muttered.

Still, he felt annoyed as Brian and Leighanne walked into the hallway and were met with warm greeting from everyone. Why didn’t they respect he and Ashleigh like that? Nick didn’t get it. He figured he was just going to have to try harder…
Chapter 14 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 14

Two hours later, Ashleigh was walking through the mall on her way to her store. The coffee shop she owned was in the corporate mall, so it was only open on weekdays from 6-5. This was nice, as Ashleigh usually had her weekends off. Though, she usually did go in some Saturdays to get things ready for the upcoming week.

As she approached her store, her heart sank in her chest. The girl who opened the store was also a Backstreet Boys fan, and as such liked to play their cds to death.

Last night I saw the fireworks
The kind of pain that never hurts
The one you hate to love that’s made for you
Another unsuspecting Sunday afternoon

Or rather, Monday morning. Ashleigh thought wistfully. How could she have been so stupid as to sleep with Nick again? He showed up in her life again, only to break her heart once more. Still, it had been nice while she was with him…

“Good morning, Ashleigh!” Caitlin greeted her as she walked in. “The Cantebury order came in, finally.” She said, motioning to the piles of boxes behind the counter.

Ashleigh just nodded. She didn’t want to think about Nick at all, instead she just wanted to immerse herself in her work. Distractions, definitely a good thing. After quickly stepping into the back room to get her mail, she walked back out to the front again to check the invoice for the coffee order. The store was strangely empty for nine in the morning on a Monday. Ashleigh figured the initial morning rush had already come and gone, while the next coffee break wasn’t until about tenish…

“I saw you and your friend at the concert on Saturday!” Catlin beamed, interrupting Ashleigh’s thoughts. “Front row! I’m so jealous. I was in the fifth.” She said.

Ashleigh forced a small smile. This was precisely what she didn’t want to talk about. “Did you have fun?” She asked, trying to be polite. The concert was all Catlin had talked about from the moment the tickets had gone on sale. She knew the young girl was probably dying to gush about it.

“Oh yeah! It was awesome. I swear at one point Brian looked right at me. He’s totally my favourite. Who’s your favourite?”

Ashleigh bit her lip. This conversation was starting to head into dangerous territory. “Nick.” She said simply.

Catlin just laughed. “Of course. Everyone likes Nick.”

Speaking of Nick, he finally had managed to get dressed and meet AJ for breakfast. Slinking down into the chair across from AJ, he sensed impending doom. He knew exactly what AJ was going to ask him.

“So, Ashleigh, Nick?” AJ said, a smirk on his face. “I thought you and her were done a long time ago.”

Nick shrugged. “It’s not like that, J.” He replied. Truthfully, he didn’t know what it was. She’d still seemed pretty enamoured with him, and yet, she’d run off pretty quickly after it was over. Maybe it had just been her way of saying goodbye? Nick really had no idea when it came to her, or any woman really.

“Not like what? I didn’t say anything!” AJ exclaimed defensively. He wasn’t really offended, he just wanted Nick to elaborate a little more.

And elaborate he did. “Not just…meaningless sex.” Nick said, referring to the basis of his and Ashleigh’s past relationship.

AJ gave Nick a confused look. “Okay?” He said, not really sure what Nick meant by that. “What I’d really like to know is how she ended up in your hotel room.”

Nick sighed. “We went out to dinner, to talk. You know, catch up and whatever.”

“From the looks of it, you did more catching up in your room than at dinner.” AJ snickered, and Nick rolled his eyes.

“I guess.” He said, sighing. “I felt kinda guilty about that.” He admitted.

“Why? She obviously wanted to be there.” AJ commented, remembering Ashleigh looking pretty damn pleased with herself when she had sauntered past him earlier that morning.

Nick sighed. AJ wasn’t going to let him get away without giving him the entire story, was he? “She was kind of upset with me for…black and blue…” He said, shifting his weight in his chair. The entire thought of what he’d done back then made him quite uncomfortable now that he thought about it.

“What? Used her for sex?” AJ deadpanned.

“It wasn’t just for sex!” Nick exclaimed, a little louder than he intended. “I mean…I was just really immature. I didn’t know what the fuck I wanted. I guess she thought…it was more…” He trailed off, not really wanting to get into the specifics.

AJ nodded. “So, she was pissed that you dumped her. Yet, she still shows up in your hotel room? Man, that girl is weak.” He laughed.

Nick frowned. “She’s not the same as she was back then.”

AJ just gave Nick a look. “I hope not.” He said seriously. It wasn’t that Ashleigh was unpleasant or anything, she had just been a typical fan and her excitement had been exhausting. “You need a girl who loves you for who you are. Not just some girl who likes the idea of being with Nick Carter.”

Nick thought about that for a moment. “You’re right, J.”

Later that afternoon, Joey stepped inside Urban Bean in hopes of having a quick chat with her best friend. She smiled at the boy behind the counter, another one of Ashleigh’s staff members. “Hi Sheldon, is Ash here?”

Sheldon pointed to the half open door to his right. “She’s in the back.” He said as he continued to wipe down the counter.

Joey peeked into the back room, sure enough Ashleigh was sitting as her desk, leaning over a tower of papers. “Got a minute?” Joey asked, and Ashleigh nearly jumped through the ciling.

“You scared the hell out of me!” She exclaimed, and then composed herself. “Sure, what’s up?”

Joey gave Ashleigh a look, as if she didn’t know. “Someone didn’t call me after their dinner last night.” She said, giving Ashleigh an accusatory stare.

Ashleigh rolled her eyes. She should have guessed that Joey would want to hear all the juicy details. “It was nice.” She said simply, not wanting to admit that she had been taken by Nick yet again.

Joey rolled her eyes. “Just nice? Come on, there has to be more than that.”

Knowing Joey wouldn’t give up until she heard everything, Ashleigh stood up from her seat. “Fine, but let’s not do this here.” She said.

Joey nodded quickly. “Yeah, okay.”

As the two girls left the store and began to walk through the mall, Ashleigh sighed. “I guess Nick thought it was just a stupid fling.” She said to Joey.

“Oh? You told him about the months of despair?”

Ashleigh nodded, stopping momentarily in front of a display outside of another store. “Yeah. He said he was sorry.”

Joey laughed a little. “Of course he did. What else would he say?”

Ashleigh shrugged. She didn’t really know what she had expected from Nick. “He wasn’t really the same guy though. He was a lot nicer than I remember him, and a lot more verbose. He genuinely looked like he felt pretty guilty when I told him that stuff.”

Joey raised an eyebrow. Ashleigh certainly didn’t sound as though she hated Nick anymore. “And?”

“And that was it. We had a nice dinner. It was fun to talk to him again.” Ashleigh said simply.

Joey gave Ashleigh a confused glance. Ashleigh was acting much too calm for comfort. She was usually overly excited, or overly upset. Joey wasn’t buying this act of hers at all. “Bullshit. What else happened?”

Ashleigh sighed. There was no way Joey was going to let her get away without telling the entire story. “It was really fun.” She admitted. “We stayed until they closed, just laughing and talking with each other. And my God, he is so fucking gorgeous.”

Joey laughed. She knew that there was more to the story than Ashleigh had originally let on. The two girls walked into SamGoody and causally browsed through the cds. “Well that’s good. I’m glad you finally got your closure, now you can move on with planning your wedding.”

Ashleigh looked at the ground uncomfortably. “Yeah…I guess so.”

Joey watched as Ashleigh’s expression fell. “What? What’s wrong?”

Ashleigh looked at her friend, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. She knew that Joey wasn’t going to be happy about the next part. “I kind of went to his hotel room.” She admitted.

“You went to his hotel room?” Joey repeated, unsure if she had heard correctly. That wasn’t like Ashleigh at all, to cheat on someone. Suddenly, she felt really annoyed with her. “How could you do something like that to Matt?”

Ashleigh bit her lip. Joey wasn’t making her feel any better about the situation. “I don’t know, it just happened. But it wasn’t like…before. It was nicer, and gentler and I really felt like we were-”

“Don’t say it, Ash!” Joey cut her off. “Do not tell me that you’re in love with him. Because honestly, he really is kind of a jerk.”

“You’re the one who gave him my number!”

Joey sighed. “Yes, because I thought you needed closure. You needed him to know that he’d hurt you. You certainly did not need to have sex with him again.”

“I know…but…” Ashleigh stammered. She instantly felt guilty. She knew Joey was going to be upset at the prospect of her having cheated on Matt. “It was something that I needed to do. I just… needed to be with him one last time.”

Joey shook her head. Unbelievable, after all these years, Ashleigh still had feelings for Nick. “I’ve gotta go back to work now, Ash. Call me later?” She said dryly. She was disappointed in Ashleigh, but she also didn’t want her friend to go through the heartbreak of losing Nick again. One time had been enough. “I’m glad you had fun with Nick, really.” She said sincerely. At least it had been fun while it lasted. She was certain Nick was just using her, like he had the first time.

“Thanks.” Ashleigh said, as Joey walked away from her. She didn’t know how she was supposed to be feeling. Her best friend was upset with her, she’d cheated on her fiancée and Nick had walked out of her life once more. Glancing down at the cds, she spied something. Lightly tracing her fingers along the outline of the cover, she thought to herself she may as well buy it. After having had sex with Nick, his voice might be comforting to her. Because at that moment, the way she felt about him was the only thing that seemed to feel right.

That evening, as soon as Ashleigh stepped into the house, Matt had approached her at the door. “My mom wants us to go to her place tonight for dinner and look at possible places to have the wedding.” He’d said.

Now she was sitting quietly at the dining room table with Matt and his parents, dozens of brochures spread out in front of them. She was feeling incredibly uncomfortable, and wanted nothing more than to go home and sleep. As Matt’s mom went on about numerous venues, Ashleigh felt her cell phone vibrate in her pocket.

Cringing, she slipped her hand in her pocket and pressed the button on the side of the phone to send it right to voicemail. She figured it was either Joey, calling to scold her further on her bad decisions or one of her staff calling to tell her they wouldn’t be into work the next day. Whoever it was, it didn’t really matter to Ashleigh. She didn’t want to look impolite in front of Matt’s family.

Seconds later, her cell phone began to vibrate again. She sighed, evidently whoever was calling her was not willing to give up. Quickly, she excused herself from the table and stepped into the next room. Looking at her phone, her heart caught in her throat.

Nick.

“Hello?” She answered warily. She hadn’t expected him to call her at all! Much less the same day.

“Ash, hey.” Nick said, sounding pleased with himself. “What’s up?”

“Nothing…” She said, still shocked that he’d actually called her back. “How are you? How was your flight?”

“It was fine.” Nick said. “I slept for most of it.”

“That’s good.” Ashleigh replied. She didn’t really have a clue what she was supposed to say. Nick calling her had caught her completely off guard.

“I had a really good time with you, Ash.” Nick said honestly. “Even if you couldn’t teach me how to use chopsticks.”

Ashleigh giggled a little. They’d had a fun evening, hadn’t they? “I had fun too.” Unfortunantly, she didn’t have the luxury of being able to talk as long as she wanted. “I can’t really talk though, I’m at Matt’s parents house. We’re looking at places to have the wedding.” She explained, making a face; which Nick of course couldn’t see.

Nick’s heart sank. She was still going to marry him? “Oh…okay.” He said quickly. “I’ll talk to you later, then.” He said before hanging up.

Ashleigh stared at her phone blankly for a moment. Was he angry with her? He had no reason to be, she hadn’t done anything. Yet, he’d seemed almost annoyed once she’d mentioned Matt. She figured she was probably just reading into things too much. Nick was just being polite, making up for not calling her last time they’d been together.

Still, she couldn’t deny that the minute long phone call had just put her on top of the world.
Chapter 15 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 15

Ashleigh giggled as Nick whispered in her ear. She was completely and utterly taken by him, oblivious to anyone else. It was the next night, and they were backstage at the arena. This time, instead of sitting in their value priced seats, she and Joey were going to have the luxury of watching the concert from the best seats in the house; backstage with Leighanne and Kristin.

“Nick! Showtime!” Kevin called. Nick’s affair was getting more and more irritating by the minute.

“I gotta go.” Nick winked, giving Ashleigh another kiss before walking over to the other boys. “I’ll see you after.”

Ashleigh eagerly nodded, excited to get to see the show from such a view. “Okay. Good luck, Nick.” She said before taking her seat beside Joey.

Joey grinned with excitement. As worried as she was about Ashleigh, she couldn’t deny the fact that sitting backstage at a Backstreet Boys concert was a dream come true. In fact, things were becoming more surreal every day.

“This is really awesome.” Joey said, turning to Ashleigh. Ashleigh beamed.

“I know! Being a Backstreet girlfriend rocks!” She exclaimed, and it took everything Joey had not to roll her eyes. If Ashleigh could go five minutes without making mention of the fact that she was sleeping with Nick, she would have considered it a miracle.

Still, it was pretty cool. Joey nearly felt the ground shake underneath her as the pyrotechnics exploded and the boys appeared on stage. She felt Ashleigh hug her tightly. At least her friend was happy, she figured. For the time being, anyway. She really hoped that she was being too critical of Nick. Maybe AJ and Howie had been wrong. Maybe he really did like her.

“You guys must love this.” Ashleigh gushed, turning to Leighanne and Kristin.

The two of them just shrugged and exchanged a glance. It wasn’t really exciting for them anymore, just routine. “I guess so.” Kristin shrugged. She’d just arrived that day, and had heard all about Nick’s guests. However, this was the first time she’d talked to them.

“I guess after you’ve been to as many concerts as you guys have, you get used to it.” Joey said, and Leighanne nodded. She was beginning to warm up to Joey a little, but Ashleigh was still a mystery to her.

“Yeah exactly. That doesn’t mean it’s not fun though.” She smiled.

The girls quietly watched the rest of the show, occasionally making a comment to one of the others. Before they had a chance to think, they were being whisked away to their respective boys busses.

“Great show, Nick.” Ashleigh said once they were back on his bus. They were departing right away for Buffalo as the boys had a show there the next day.

Soon they were on their way to Buffalo, and once again Joey and Ashleigh were in the car. The car that had once been their prized possession was quickly becoming a nuisance as they had to take it with them everywhere they went. Causing Ashleigh to pout for most of every trip.

They drove for about an hour and a half, before they noticed that the five large busses in front of them were parked on the side of the road. Glancing at each other, Joey quickly pulled over as well to see what was going on.

“What’s up?” Joey asked, as she walked over to the five guys that were standing in a circle on the grass beside the road.

“Nicky’s bus is broken.” Howie said, glaring in Nick’s direction.

“It’s not my fault!” Nick exclaimed. “Don’t give me that look!!” He said, running and pretending to hide behind Ashleigh.

Ashleigh lit up at this news. Nick’s bus was broken, which meant that it had to be fixed, which meant that they were stuck here for a little while! “So…how long is it going to take to fix?” She asked innocently.

“A couple of hours.” Kevin said sighing. “And no, you cannot be on the bus while it’s being fixed.” He finished, knowing that Nick was already getting ideas.

“That’s okay girls!” AJ piped up, walking towards his own bus. “We’ll party on my bus while we wait. It’ll be fun.”

Ashleigh looked up at Nick with anticipation. Nick sighed, he figured he didn’t really have a choice since he couldn’t sleep on his bus. “Yeah, cool.” He said, taking Ashleigh’s hand and following AJ.

“So? Should we play some sort of game?” Howie asked, once he, AJ, Joey, Ashleigh and Nick were settled in.

“Let’s play I’ve Never.” Joey suggested, knowing that this would be a fun opportunity to embarrass Ashleigh. “And we’re in Canada! So it’s legal for us to drink!” She called to AJ, as he went to fetch drinks for the five of them.

Passing drinks to everyone, AJ sat back down on the couch beside Joey. “Does everyone know how to play?” He asked, and Nick and Howie shook their heads. “Basically we go around in a circle, and say something we’ve never done. If you have done it, you take a drink.” He explained.

“Yeah, I don’t want to play this game anymore…” Nick said, sensing that this was going to be perfect opportunity for AJ and Howie to make fun of him.

“Too late Nick.” Joey laughed. “I’ll start. I’ve never had sex with a Backstreet Boy.”

Of course, Ashleigh giggled and took a drink.

“Does it count if you are a Backstreet Boy?” Howie asked, and Joey gave him a strange look.

“Really, really don’t want to know!” She laughed. “Your turn, Ash.”

Ashleigh shrugged. She didn’t really know what to say. “I’ve never been to Florida.” She said.

Nick, Howie and AJ drank.

“I’ve never had sex with a Russian girl…in Russia.” Nick smirked.

AJ gave Nick the finger as he drank.

Howie laughed, and then realized it was his turn. “I’ve never done it while playing video games.”

Nick turned red as he drank. “Screw you, D.” He said when he was done.

Ashleigh giggled. “Is that even possible?”

“Well…you kind of have to devote your attention to one thing or the other…” Nick explained, turning redder still. He knew this game was a bad idea.

They continued to play, AJ and Howie deliberately saying things for the purpose of making fun of Nick. By the time Nick’s bus was fixed, Ashleigh had already fallen asleep on the floor. By the time they finally arrived in Buffalo, everyone was exhausted from the trip. Once they checked into the hotel, Ashleigh and Nick fell asleep beside each other without even so much as a kiss.
Chapter 16 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 16

“So, I think that the best time to have the wedding will be in July, next year. I thought that maybe we could have it outside or something, and then have the reception at our place. Nothing fancy…” Ashleigh babbled as she talked on the phone with her mother. Planning her wedding was certainly turning into an ordeal. She hadn’t expected it to be this much work.

“Ash!” Matt called to her, and she rolled her eyes. This was quickly becoming a busy evening for her. First her mom had called wanting to know all the details, then Matt had sprung this business dinner on her. “We’re leaving in ten minutes! Are you ready?”

Ashleigh sighed. “I gotta go, mum. I’ll call you later.” She said quickly before hanging up the phone. Glancing at herself in the mirror, she figured she was ready enough. That Friday evening, some sort of dinner party was being held at Matt’s boss’s house. Naturally, he hadn’t informed her about it until that afternoon.

“Yeah, I’m ready!” She called back upstairs, where she could only assume Matt was styling his hair and figuring out the perfect thing to wear. She laughed to herself, he took more time to get ready than she did!

He didn’t answer her, and it was just as well because her cell phone rang again. She answered it quickly, knowing who was on the other end. “Hey.” She said softly.

“Hey Ash.” Nick’s voice rang through the other end. He’d already called her a couple times that week, and they’d seemed to be on alright terms. Definitely better than the last time he’d left her. “What’re you up to tonight?” He asked.

She shrugged, glancing at the stairs. “Going to some party for Matt’s work.” She said, sounding rather bored.

“Sounds like fun.” Nick replied, though he didn’t quite agree with that statement. Over the last week he’d talked to her a few times and had come to accept the fact that she was still going to get married. Well, for the time being anyway. He would have to work slowly.

“Not really.” She admitted. “It’s just going to be a bunch of people I don’t know talking about things I don’t care about.”

Nick laughed, it was hard for him to imagine happy go lucky Ashleigh wearing a cocktail dress standing around quietly while a bunch of men in suits talked about business. “Sounds like more fun than my evening.”

“Oh yeah. This’ll be so much more fun than performing in front of thousands of adoring females.” She said sarcastically. Then bit her lip. Was she flirting with him? Wasn’t she supposed to be getting over him and getting on with her life?

It was a difficult task when he kept calling. Not that she really minded.

“No concert tonight.” Nick said. “I’ll just be hanging out in my hotel room…bored…and alone…” He said dramatically.

Ashleigh glanced again at the stairs, as if that would make Matt magically appear on them. She couldn’t help but think how much she would have much rather been in some random city with Nick, than go to some cocktail party.

There was silence on her end. Nick frowned. “I was only kidding, Ash. I’ll probably go do something with AJ or someone.” He said.

“Yeah, I know.” Ashleigh replied, suddenly feeling uncomfortable. Why was it that one moment Nick made her feel on top of the world, and the next minute she was questioning everything? He’d hurt her once before, what was to say he wouldn’t do it again? “I’ve gotta get going Nick. I’ll talk to you later, okay?”

“Yeah, sure. Later, Ash.” Nick said before her heard her hang up. He couldn’t believe that she was acting completely platonic towards him. Furthermore, she seemed to actually want to go through with her wedding. It boggled his mind. Hadn’t she been the one to come falling back into his arms that night she’d shown up at his hotel? Nick didn’t understand, but he was determined to keep trying. At least she was talking to him.

Pushing his thoughts aside, he got up and headed down the hallway. He stopped in front of Brian’s door. Maybe his best friend could offer some advice.

“Hey Nick.” Brian said, after opening the door. “What’s up?”

Nick shrugged. “You wanna get some dinner or something?” He asked, and Brian nodded.

“Sure. One sec.” He said. After slipping on some shoes and grabbing his wallet, he and Nick made their way to the hotel restaurant.

“So,” Nick said, figuring it was probably best not to beat around the bush. “Do you remember Ashleigh?” Nick asked as the two of them were seated.

Brian thought for a moment. Nick had had so many girlfriends over the past ten years, it was hard to keep track. “Sorry Nick…refresh my memory?”

“Groupie from Black and Blue.” Nick explained, though that was hardly how he thought of her now.

Brian nodded. Now he remembered. He never had understood Nick’s reasoning on bringing two strange fans on tour with him. “Oh, right.” Brian said, wondering where Nick was going with this.

“I ran into her when we were in Minneapolis.” Nick said.

Brian simply nodded, waiting for Nick to continue.

“She was kind of upset with me. I guess she thought that we were in some kind of relationship or something back then. But we talked, and she seemed to feel better about it. I really had a good time with her.” Nick told him, unsure of what Brian was thinking. “I guess she thought so too, because she ended up coming back to my hotel room…” Nick trailed off.

Brian raised his eyebrow. “So you guys had sex.”

Nick nodded, taking a sip of the water that had been placed in front of him. “Yeah. But it wasn’t like…that. It seemed…I dunno. She’s different now. She liked me for who I was, you know?”

Brian wasn’t sure how to respond to that. From what he remembered about Ashleigh, she’d seemed to be more obsessed about the fact that she was dating a Backstreet Boy rather than dating regular old Nick from Tampa. “Are you sure?” Brian asked.

“Yeah! I mean, she really paid attention to all this stuff I didn’t even realize about myself. I dunno.” Nick paused, uncertain of what to say next. “I feel like I kind of missed out on something with her.” He said.

Brian gave Nick a skeptical look. “Well, if you feel that way you could always try now.” He suggested, but Nick just shook his head.

“I can’t.” He said, fiddling with the menu. “She’s engaged to some guy.” He said sadly. “But, she came to my hotel room! I don’t get it.”

Brian gave Nick a sympathetic look. He’d always had trouble with girls. “Maybe she needed some closure?” Brian said. He wasn’t really sure what kind of advice he could offer, he really didn’t know Ashleigh that well.

Nick shrugged. “Maybe.” Looking back down at the menu he decided to drop the subject. It was only confusing him further. “Nachos sound good.” He said, grinning up at his friend.

Meanwhile, Ashleigh sat at a table bored out of her skull. The party was being held in the backyard of Matt’s boss’s fairly large home. At least there were drinks, she figured, taking another sip of her vodka and coke.

“This is my fiancée, Ashleigh.” Matt said, as he introduced her to yet another colleague. “Ashleigh, this is Dennis. He works right beside me.” Ashleigh forced a smile and shook the man’s hand.

“Congratulations.” Dennis said. “Where do you work, Ashleigh?”

“I own Urban Bean.” She said, knowing what kind of response that was going to get. She hated the fact that most people didn’t take her work seriously. “It’s in the corporate mall underneath the Commodity Exchange tower.”

Dennis nodded. “So you serve coffee to people like us. That’s nice.” He said, as he and Matt shared a laugh. Ashleigh rolled her eyes and took another sip of her drink. As Matt made more conversation with his co-workers, Ashleigh’s thoughts drifted to Nick. She wondered what city he was in, what he was eating for dinner.

If he was spending the night with anyone…

Ashleigh’s stomach twisted at that thought. She wondered, did Nick still pick up groupies? She didn’t think she could bear the thought of him being with someone else. And yet, here she was at a party with her fiancée. How unfair of her to be possessive of Nick when she was doing the very same thing.

She had tried not to think about him, but he kept creeping into her mind. Ever since Monday she’d been missing him more and more. As hard as she tried, she couldn’t push him out of her head. It was bad enough that he phoned her nearly everyday.

That was another thing Ashleigh didn’t understand. Nick hadn’t seemed interested in a relationship with her the first time, why would he be now? Not that it mattered, she was engaged. Something she had to keep reminding herself of. Besides, she was sure Nick was calling her just to be nice, since he hadn’t called her the last time. Sooner or later, she thought, the calls would stop.

But the calls didn’t stop. Two days later, Ashleigh was sitting on her bed, feet in the air, giggling at something Nick had said.

“God Nick, I cannot believe you did that.” She said in between laughs.

“What?!” Nick defended himself. “They deserved it!” He was telling Ashleigh about the time he had used his sister’s toothbrushes to clean the toilet when he was younger. “You just can’t understand, you don’t have annoying younger sisters.”

“I wouldn’t like it if my older brother would have done that to me!” She exclaimed, still giggling.

“Well, if you did have an older brother, I’m sure you wouldn’t have been as rotten to them as BJ and Leslie were to me.” Nick explained, still trying to defend his younger self’s actions. “They always wanted to watch their stupid cartoons, and I wanted to watch the Fresh Prince!”

“Ewww, Fresh Prince?” Ashleigh asked, wrinkling her nose. “Why would you want to watch that?”

“Uh, because it’s a good show, Ash.” Nick said as if it were obvious. “Why? What did you watch?”

“Boy Meets World.” Ashleigh replied.

“Ewww, Boy Meets World? Why would you want to watch that?” Nick mocked her, causing Ashleigh to burst into a fit of laughter yet again.

Nick smiled as they continued to banter back and forth. He really couldn’t deny how much he enjoyed talking to her, and how much it bothered him that she was with someone else when she clearly enjoyed his company more. Well, he actually wasn’t too sure about that. But if she was so in love with her fiancée, then why was she spending her Sunday afternoon on the phone with him?

“It’s a good show! Besides, I watch much better TV now.” Ashleigh said.

“Oh yeah? Like what?” Nick challenged.

“The Office.” She answered. Truthfully, as much as she hated to admit it to herself, she was enjoying her secret phonecalls with Nick. Phone calls that even Joey didn’t know about.

Speaking of Joey, the two girls hadn’t talked much since Ashleigh had dropped the Nick bomb on her. She knew Joey was a little disappointed in her, but she’d shrugged it off. Sometimes the two of them had tiffs like this one, they were usually best friends again after a week or so.

“Oh yeah!” Nick said excitedly into the phone. “I like that one too, did you see the episode where…” He trailed off, explaining an episode to Ashleigh, which she quickly recognized.

She didn’t mind her distance from Joey as of late too much. Nick occupied quite a bit of her time now, and as much as she’d tried to fight it, she was starting to fall for him again.

Well, maybe starting to wasn’t quite that accurate. She was still falling for him? Who was she kidding? She’d been falling for him since she was fourteen.

And yet, there was nothing she could do about it. She was engaged now, and she wasn’t about to let herself fall into Nick’s trap again. Still, she couldn’t deny any longer how she was feeling…
Chapter 17 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 17

Ashleigh awoke the next morning to find the bed empty. Figuring that Nick was probably gone to a rehearsal or something to that effect, she rolled over and tried to go back to sleep.

That last about half an hour before Joey came knocking excitedly at her door. “Ash!” She said, once Ashleigh grudgingly let her in the room. “We’re in Canada, let’s go shopping! I want to go to have poutine, do you know what that is?”

“We have that at home.” Ashleigh said, flopping back down on the bed.

“Not as good though! Come on, let’s go find a mall.” She said, pulling Ashleigh out of bed.

“Ugh.” The last thing Ashleigh wanted to do was scour this strange city for somewhere to go shopping. She would have much rather slept until the show that night. They hadn’t gotten to the hotel until it was pretty late the night before. However, she knew that Joey wouldn’t accept “no” as an answer. “Okay. Just let me shower.” She said, walking in the direction of the bathroom.

An hour later, Ashleigh and Joey were walking down the streets of downtown Ottawa, in search of somewhere to find Joey her poutine. Finally, the two of them stepped into a Burger King.

“Are you sure you don’t want anything?” Joey asked as the stepped up to the counter. Ashleigh shrugged.

Joey giggled. “They might still have Backstreet Boys toys.”

Ashleigh rolled her eyes. “I have all of them.”

Joey frowned, Ashleigh was becoming less fun to hang around with every day. What was supposed to be a trip for the two of them, was quickly becoming Ashleigh spending every waking moment with Nick, and pouting when he wasn’t around. She ordered food for Ashleigh regardless, knowing that she would probably be hungry once they sat down.

Joey had been right. Though Ashleigh hadn’t thought she was hungry, she quickly devoured the food that had been placed in front of her. “Thanks for lunch, Joe.” She said with a smile. Maybe this day wouldn’t be so bad after all. Besides, she’d get to see Nick that night.

“No problem.” Joey grinned, glad her friend seemed to be in better sprits. “That was a fun game last night, wasn’t it?”

Ashleigh giggled. After spending the better part of yesterday evening playing I’ve Never she’d felt a little more comfortable around the rest of the Backstreet Boys. “Yeah! We should do stuff like that more.” She said.

Joey nodded. “We could if you and Nick would ever come out of your hotel room.” She quipped.

Ashleigh blushed. She and Nick did spend a lot of time in his room, and not a whole lot of time being social. She did feel a little guilty about that, but at the same time she felt justified. After all, she’d been obsessive about Nick Carter for most of her teenage life. “I can’t help it, he’s just that good!” She smirked.

Joey smiled. As much as she missed her friend, she was living her dream. She’d just have to accept the fact that while they were trailing the tour, Ashleigh’s attention would be focused on Nick. When they got home, things would be different.

While the girls enjoyed their afternoon shopping, the boys were doing some last minute rehearsals and sound check at the Corel Centre.

“Why didn’t you bring your girlfriend, Nicky?” Howie teased, as they took a short break.

Nick sighed. When he brought Ashleigh places with him, he got bitched at. When he didn’t, they asked him why. He was starting to get incredibly frustrated with the entire situation. Maybe it would have been easier to pick up a different girl each night like he’d been doing before.

No, but then the rest of the guys wouldn’t respect him. Not that they respected him much right now, it seemed. Nick didn’t really understand that. He didn’t see anything wrong with what she was doing. Plus, the nice thing about having Ashleigh around was the fact that she adored him. She made him feel wanted and not pathetic.

“She was sleeping when I left. I didn’t want to wake her.” He said, opening a water bottle and downing half of it.

Howie just nodded, unsure of what else he could say. Luckily, he didn’t have to think of anything else, as Leighanne quickly approached the two of them.

“Hey, Nick. Can I have a word with you for a minute?” She asked sweetly.

Nick eyed her. Leighanne never came over to talk to him. This must’ve been Brian’s doing. “Sure…” He said cautiously, and followed her to a private corner of the room.

“So, what’s going on, Nick?” She asked him, looking concerned. Yup, this was definitely Brian’s doing.

“Nothing.” He said, shrugging. It wasn’t exactly a lie, nothing was really going on at all. They did shows, he had sex with Ashleigh…oh, that might be why she was talking to him.

“Are you sure? Cause you seem to be acting weird lately. I was just wondering if you were all right.” She said, still giving him a look of concern.

Nick laughed a little. “You mean, Brian was wondering if I was all right.”

Leighanne didn’t falter. “You seem to be getting kind of serious with that Ashleigh girl.” She said cautiously, trying to ease into the topic without causing Nick to get defensive and angry.

Nick scoffed. Serious? Things with her were anything but. “It’s not serious.”

“Then what is it?” She asked him softly. “It isn’t like you to act this way with a girl, Nick. She’s not really your type-”

“She’s perfectly fine.” Nick spat, feeling the need to defend Ashleigh. Though it was true, she was hardly Nick’s type at all. In fact, fans like her thoroughly annoying him sometimes, acting overly at every little thing he did.

Leighanne sighed. She wasn’t getting anywhere with him at all. “Is this because you feel left out?” She asked quietly, and Nick glared at her. Bingo.

Nick crossed his arms. These constant interrogations were starting to annoy him. “I don’t see how this is any of your business.”

Leighanne made a final attempt to get through to him. “If you want a meaningful relationship, that’s fine.” She said, and when she got no response she continued. “But locking yourselves up in your hotel room isn’t really the way to do it.” She advised.

Nick considered her for a moment. Somehow, he accepted what she had to say quicker than he had with Kevin, or anyone else. Perhaps it was because she wasn’t talking to him a condescending manner. Still, he wasn’t really looking for a serious relationship. Of course, he wasn’t about to tell that to her. “Thanks, Leigh.” He said simply, not wanting to argue with her.

That night after the show, Nick entered his hotel room. He looked at Ashleigh, who was gleefully lying on his bed. His talk with Leigh had planted an idea in his head. If the way for him to earn the respect of the others was to come out of the room once in a while was all it took, he could do that. Besides, he was starving anyway.

“You have some nice clothes packed?” He asked her quickly, before stepping into the shower. She only nodded.

“Good. Get dressed. We’re going out.” He said.

“Should I tell Joey to get dressed too?” Ashleigh asked, jumping of the bed.

“No, no. It’s just us.”

Ashleigh was overjoyed. Anytime she and Nick had gone out in public together it had been in a group. Technically, this would be their first official date. She sighed with glee as she flopped back down onto the bed and waited for Nick to get ready.

Half an hour later, the two of them were sitting across from each other at the Empire Grill, a rather ritzy steakhouse in downtown Ottawa. Ashleigh felt nervous all over again. Even though she’d spent the last week with Nick, this was the first time they’d gone out together. Alone.

Nick was clueless as to what to say to her. She was sitting in front of him, staring at him in awe. He’d really only brought her here so that the others could see them leaving the hotel together. Once they had, he didn’t really have any need to have dinner with her. “So…are you going to school in the fall?” He asked, figuring that was a safe topic.

“Yeah…” She said, through school was the last thing she wanted to think about. Going back to school meant she was going to have to go home, that was certainly not something Ashleigh was looking forward to.

Nick shifted uncomfortably in his seat. She wasn’t helping at all with moving the conversation along. He tried again. “What are you taking?”

“Business. I didn’t know what to take, and you know, everyone takes commerce, so yeah… it should be fun, I guess.” She shrugged.

Nick nodded. He didn’t know anything about what she was talking about. “That’s cool. I never even went to high school.”

Ashleigh shrugged. “High school’s boring anyway. It’s just a bunch of pointless football games and dances. It wasn’t really that cool.” She said, which was half true. By the time she was almost done, she couldn’t wait to get out of there.

Nick smirked. “But I bet you were a cheerleader, weren’t you?”

Ashleigh blushed. She adored his cocky half smile. “Yeah… but only because I got half a credit for being on a sports team! Most of the girls were cheerleaders, we had like 30 people on the team. We rotated for games and stuff.”

Nick nodded, and listened to her babble on about her cheerleading. He had to admit, she was cute. Though he would have much rather been back in his room with her than out to dinner. That was just going to have to wait until after dinner, he figured. He smiled at her as she continued to talk, happy that she’d finally found something to say so he didn’t have to attempt to carry on the conversation. He was content just to listen to her, this dinner had served it’s purpose. The others knew that they’d gone out, and now maybe they’d stop hounding him about his intentions. He could only hope, at least.
Chapter 18 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 18

It’s funny how life can take new meaning
You came and changed what I believed in
The world on the outside's trying to pull me in
But they can’t touch me ‘cause I’ve got you…

Ashleigh sighed as she drove. A week later, and Joey was still upset with her. The two of them had hardly talked, other than a couple of quick phone calls. Ashleigh, getting fed up with the situation had finally phoned Joey and told her that they were going to meet for lunch that Saturday.

And it hit me when I reach for you
That I’m afraid you won’t be there

She still hadn’t told anyone about Nick’s constant phone calls. It wasn’t like she was the one that was pestering him either, he was usually the instigator. Ashleigh didn’t know what to make of that. Last time, he hadn’t wanted anything to do with her. Now, he couldn’t seem to get enough.

Maybe I am in too deep
But I don’t care…

She’d made it easy for him last time - followed him around the country without a second thought. Now, he knew she couldn’t be with him. Maybe that was it? Maybe it was simply that he wanted what he couldn’t have.

His solo album hadn’t left her car ever since she’d bought it. She found it relaxing to listen to, and found herself actually enjoying a fair bit of it. Of course, the fact that she was falling in love with him had nothing to do with that. Nope, nothing at all, she’d told herself.

The fact was, while she was stressed out by planning her wedding, or annoyed by her staff, whenever she was talking to Nick she felt at peace. While Matt had his own work problems and couldn’t be bothered to listen to Ashleigh, Nick was always on the phone listening to her and making her feel appreciated. Nick also didn’t constantly badger her to go over to his mother’s house to decide on the smallest detail about the wedding. Ashleigh almost regretted accepting Matt’s proposal. But that had everything to do with her planning her wedding, and nothing to do with Nick. Nothing at all, she’d told herself yet again.

All Nick was doing was being a friend to her. He felt guilty for not calling her before, and so he felt he should at least keep up a friendship with her. That’s another thing she kept telling herself, feeling it too dangerous to think anything else.

Still, she found herself making excuses to leave the house and sit in her car while talking to Nick on the phone. Or just to listen to his CD while driving around the city.

Pulling into the parking lot, Ashleigh reluctantly turned off her car, causing her music to stop. She hated it when Joey was angry with her, but this time she didn’t feel as though she was in the wrong. She knew the only reason that Joey wasn’t happy with her was because she was worried, but everything had turned out fine. She certainly wasn’t heartbroken. Far from it.

“Haven’t talked to you in a while.” Ashleigh said as she sat down across from Joey.

“Sorry.” Joey said, looking somewhat guilty. “I was just a little shocked. I thought maybe you and Matt would need some time to work things out.”

Ashleigh shrugged. “We’re fine.”

“He’s totally fine with the whole thing?” Joey asked in disbelief.

Ashleigh fidgeted. “He doesn’t…know.” She said slowly. “I mean, I didn’t think it was that important!” She exclaimed quickly, knowing Joey wouldn’t buy it,

She didn’t. “You had sex with another guy and didn’t think it was important to tell your fiancée? Nick Carter no less!”

Ashleigh rolled her eyes. Joey wasn’t making this easy. “Can we please cut the whole ‘Nick Carter’ thing? I think by now we know him well enough to just call him Nick.”

Joey raised an eyebrow. “Uh huh. It was you that was calling him ‘Nick Carter’ up until a couple of weeks ago. And it wasn’t exactly in the nicest of ways either.”

Ashleigh sighed. “Look, I shouldn’t have to apologize to you. Can we please just be friends again?”

Now it was Joey’s turn to sigh. Sometimes, she had a hard time with the moral dilemmas Ashleigh liked to throw at her. Still, they’d been best friends for the past thirteen years. “Okay, fine.” She said, admitting defeat. She shouldn’t have abandoned Ashleigh just because she disagreed with what she’d done. Friends were supposed to stick by each other, right? “I’m sorry I acted like such a bitch.”

Ashleigh grinned, and as soon as she peered down at her menu, her cell phone rang. She peeked at the screen before smiling a little. “Hey, can I call you back later? I’m just having lunch with Joey…yeah, okay…bye.” She said quickly and turned back to Joey.

“Who was on the phone?” She asked, attempting to make conversation.

Ashleigh blushed a little and grinned. “Nick.” She said, trying to play it off as if it were nothing. It didn’t exactly work.

“He actually called you back?” Joey said, surprised. She had figured Nick was going to use her for a night and never speak to her again, just as he had before. Which had been part of the reason she’d been so annoyed with Ashleigh for giving into him again. Why fall for a guy that’s only going to hurt you in the end?

“He’s been calling for the last two weeks. Unlike someone else I know.” Ashleigh said in a joking manner. Truthfully, she hadn’t minded not speaking to Joey, it had made trying to deny her feelings easier. If she had talked to Joey, everything would have spilled out.

Joy disregarded Ashleigh’s obvious stab at her. “Seriously? Wow. Guess he’s changed a little.”

Ashleigh shrugged. “He probably just feels bad about not calling last time.” She said.

Joey just raised an eyebrow. “Then he would have called you once…but if he keeps calling…”

“Don’t say it.” Asheligh snapped, as she had been trying to avoid the very thought from getting into her head. This was exactly the conversation she had been happy to avoid. “Do not say it. Besides, I thought you were against me talking to Nick.”

“That was when I thought he was going to break your heart again!” Joey defended herself. “I thought that you’d be hung up on him and that you and Matt would be fighting…but you aren’t.” She said thoughtfully.

“No, we’re not.” Ashleigh said stubbornly. “Nothing is changing.” She told Joey, and herself. She wasn’t stupid enough to get involved with Nick again, even if he was putting up the façade of being a nice guy.

“You should still tell Matt you cheated on him, Ash.” Joey advised, still not comfortable with Ashleigh having cheated. Even if Ashleigh had feelings for Nick that were unrequited from a long time ago, it still didn’t seem right to her. How could Ashleigh possibly be okay with what she’d done?

Ashleigh shook her head. “Why? The only reason I slept with Nick is so that I could finally get over him.”

“Are you over him?” Joey questioned, almost accusingly. The way that Ashleigh’s face had lit up when she’d answered her phone suggested otherwise.

Ashleigh looked down at the table, knowing that she wouldn’t be able to change or avoid the subject. Joey knew her better than anyone else, and possibly better than she knew herself. “No.” She admitted.

Joey sighed, no longer feeling angry with her friend, but now wanting to help her. “Have you told him?”

Ashleigh took a deep breath. She hadn’t wanted to talk about this. She’d wanted to forget that she was feeling this way. Everything in her life was coming together, only for it to be ripped apart. “No. And I’m not planning on it. He’s a friend, nothing more.” She said quietly.

“You should tell him, Ash.” Joey said, placing her hand on Ashleigh’s.

“Why?” Ashleigh asked sharply. “So he can tell me he was only being nice? So he can tell me he thinks I’m some crazy fan? So I can ruin everything I have with Matt on some whim?” This entire thing was stupid, she felt. It would blow over. All it was, was that she was getting nervous about her wedding. She’d needed a last fling beforehand. That was all this was.

“Everything you have with Matt?” Joey repeated, not really believing Ashleigh. “If everything was so great between you two, then you wouldn’t be having those feelings for someone else.” She said softly.

Ashleigh quickly rubbed her eyes, not wanting to cause a scene in the middle of the restaurant. “It’s just Nick Carter. Every girl has a crush on him. It’s just stupid.”

Joey sighed. “Yeah. Every girl has a crush on him, because he’s cute and he sings sappy boyband ballads. You’re falling in love with him because he phones you, he pays attention to you…when your own fiancée doesn’t.” She said.

“I thought you were pissed that I cheated on Matt.” Ashleigh said, trying to regain her composure.

“Well, just because he can act like kind of an ass sometimes doesn’t mean he deserves to be cheated on.” Joey said, waving to the waitress to give them five more minutes as Ashleigh put her head in her hands again. “Either way, I think you need to talk to Nick about this. And Matt, too.”

Ashleigh shook her head furiously. “Do you have any idea what would happen? Nick would laugh in my face. Matt would have a fit. It wouldn’t be good at all. It’s better this way.”

“You don’t know that. Maybe Nick feels the same way. Maybe he realized what he’d lost back then. Maybe he’s attracted to you now that you’re not giggling and blushing every time someone mentions his name.” Joey replied wisely.

“I did not giggle and blush.” Ashleigh retorted, embarrassed to think about how juvenile she must have acted, and how Nick must have remembered her. Come to think of it, knowing how she’d been back then, why had Nick even approached her in the first place?

Joey laughed. “Yeah, you did.” Quickly she turned serious again. “Yeah, Matt will have a fit. But you know what? Let him. He should know that you’re feeling this way.”

Ashleigh shrugged, really not feeling in the mood to go home and argue with Matt. “I guess.” She mumbled.

That evening, Ashleigh sat in her living room. She waited in silence for Matt to return home from work, dreading the talk she knew they had to have. Absentmindedly flipping through channels on the television, her mind started to wander.

Ashleigh waited impatiently in the terminal of the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport, constantly checking the flight arrival times. This wasn’t an absurdity, the planes were usually late.

Finally, the flight she had been waiting for arrived. Her heart nearly leapt out of her chest as she watched the plane come in on the runway. She smiled happily.

It wasn’t long before she caught site of Nick walking through the gate. Dressed in shorts and a light sweater, she giggled to herself. He really didn’t know how to dress for Minneapolis in January. He was going to freeze while they walked to her car.

Walking over to him slowly, he kissed the top of her head quickly as they walked to pick up his bags. “I missed you.” He said softly.

She smiled up at him, he was hers and hers alone. “I missed you more.”

Her daydream was quickly interrupted with the sound of the front door opening. Matt was home. Sitting up straight on the couch, she looked at him as he walked quickly through the door and headed for the stairs. “Hey…” She said carefully, not entirely sure how to start. “Can we talk?”

Matt just shook his head as he continued on his way. “Not right now. I have another meeting to go to.” He called out from their bedroom, where Ashleigh assumed he was getting changed.

She just sighed, a little relieved. She hadn’t wanted to talk to Matt at all. He was just making things easier for her. Besides, it wasn’t like she didn’t have anyone else to talk to.

Nick couldn’t help but smile as he saw Ashleigh’s name on his call display. She had been calling him more frequently over the last couple of days. Nick took that as a good sign. He was starting to win her over. What had been a crush in the beginning had only been intensified by the fact that they talked on the phone nearly every day. “Hey you.” He answered. “What’s up?”

“Not much.” She replied truthfully. Matt had left the house as quickly as he had rushed in. So she was spending her Saturday evening alone. “Where are you?”

Nick flopped down on his hotel bed, peering through the room service menu. Nothing seemed all that appetizing. “Houston.” He said. It was late August now, and this was one of the last dates of the tour. Soon he would be heading home for a well needed vacation.

“You guys are almost done then.” Ashleigh commented. “I bet you’ll be bored once you have nothing to do all day.” She laughed.

“Nah, I’ll be at home. I’ll get to sleep in until noon, go out on my boat and hang out on the beach” Nick replied. He was a little sad that soon the tour would be over and he’d be returning to his normal life, but after having been booked solid for nearly a year he was looking forward to some time to himself.

Ashleigh sighed. “And while you’re out on the beach, I’ll be here waiting for it to snow.” She said.

Nick wrinkled his nose. He hated snow. “I don’t know what I’d do if I lived in a place with snow 5 months out of the year.”

Ashleigh giggled. “It’s not that bad. Besides, all of us can’t live in Florida.” Though she had to admit, she liked the thought. “I’ve still never been there, you know.”

“Really?” Nick asked in disbelief. That gave him an idea. “You should come down sometime.” He said nonchalantly.

Ashleigh’s breath caught in her throat. Had he just invited her to visit him? No, that wasn’t possible. She had to be reading too much into it. “Maybe…” Was all she said, not really knowing how to reply to him.

Nick smirked. She hadn’t completely rejected him. “I’m serious, Ash. You should come for the long weekend.”

He was serious. September long weekend was in a week. There was no way she could get down there. Plus there was still the matter of her fiancée. “Nick…I can’t do that.” But oh, how she wanted to. “I have my store, and Matt.”

“Your store’s not open on weekends.” Nick reminded her. The fact that she still was engaged to Matt was really starting to bother him. He didn’t sound like the nicest and most attentive guy. Especially since Ashleigh seemed to have a lot of free time to talk on the phone to another guy. “Just think about it, okay?” He said.

Ashleigh nodded, though Nick couldn’t see her. “Okay.” She said weakly. There was no way she would be able to manage a weekend in Florida with Nick. A thousand thoughts went through her mind. Matt would never let her go. Joey would tell her she was being ridiculous. She hadn’t yet told Nick how she felt about him. Him asking her to go visit him was a good sign, right? Did that mean he felt the same way? Ashleigh didn’t know. He was probably just being nice, since he felt bad for her on account of her never having been to Florida.

One thing was for sure, Ashleigh wanted nothing more than to drop everything and hop on a plane as soon as she could.
Chapter 19 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 19


Ashleigh grinned ear to ear as she and Joey pulled up in front of Joey’s parents house. Today was the Backstreet Boys show in Minneapolis, and as such, the girls were home for the evening.

Of course, Ashleigh didn’t waste any time. She bounded quickly into the house, giving Joey’s mom a large hug. The girls had been friends for so long, that they were nearly accepted as a part of each other’s families.

“How’s you trip been, girls?” Trish, Joey’s mom, asked as the three of them walked into the kitchen. Ashleigh and Joey were desperate for something to eat that wasn’t pre packaged.

“Amazing.” Ashleigh said while digging through the fridge. “Absolutely amazing.”

Joey smiled, eager to tell her mom everything that had happened. “We met them.” She said excitedly. While she’d gotten used to the idea of hanging out with AJ after shows, she still felt as though it was a surreal experience.

“I’m going out with Nick!” Ashleigh squealed, beginning to make herself a sandwich.

Trish raised her eyebrow while looking at the excited girls. Surely, they had to be joking. “I’m sure.” She said, laughing.

“No, mom, really.” Joey said, pouring herself a glass of water and sitting down at the table. “We ran into them in Boston and ever since then we’ve been hanging out with them mostly every day.” She said seriously. “They’re actually pretty normal guys.”

“Nick is way hotter in person.” Ashleigh said, as she stuffed food into her mouth. “Like, you have no idea.”

Trish laughed. These girls had been talking about the Backstreet Boys for the past four years, so there was every reason why they should be excited. “Well, it sounds like you girls are having fun. I assume Aaron’s car is serving you well?”

“We don’t need the car anymore!” Ashleigh commented, directed more at Joey than at her mom. “We can just travel with Nick in his bus.” She said, thinking it sounded like a good idea. The car had just become a nuisance to her, taking away valuable time she could be spending with the blonde wonder.

Joey cringed. It did seem to make more sense to leave the car here, but the only time she seemed to be able to talk to Ashleigh was when they were traveling from one city to the next.

“Well, I guess that’s true, but you girls still need to come home before school starts.” Trish reminded them, and Joey nodded. That was true; she doubted that Nick was going to want to escort them back to Minnesota.

“Ugh, do we have to go to school in September?” Ashleigh complained. That was the last thing she wanted to do. If she could, she would have been content following Nick around for the rest of her life.

“You can’t follow Nick around forever.” Joey said, rolling her eyes.

“I know, but it would be so fun!” Ashleigh said with a grin. Once the girls finished eating lunch, they set off to Ashleigh’s house to go visit with her family and brag to them about their amazing summer.

While Ashleigh and Joey regaled their families with tales from their trip, Nick and AJ took a much needed afternoon off, and walked through Mall of America in search of new shoes.

“Dude, you don’t make any sense.” AJ laughed as they walked through the large mall. “You’re all over her the second we get a free hour, but we have an entire afternoon off and you’re shopping with me? What gives?”

Nick shrugged. Truthfully, he’d told Ashleigh that they had some rehearsals to do that afternoon. He hadn’t wanted to be subjected to meeting a bunch of her friends and being shown off, as he predicted he would have been. Nick just shrugged. “I didn’t want to meet her family.” He said, which was also true.

AJ nodded. “Makes sense. I thought you guys were pretty serious though?”

Nick rolled his eyes, walking into a store. “Why does everyone think that?” He wondered aloud and AJ chuckled.

“Because you spend every waking moment together?” He tried, Nick wasn’t making any sense to him. “You should probably tell her you aren’t looking for anything serious though. She probably thinks you guys are going to get married one day.”

Nick gave AJ a dirty look. Ashleigh had to know that this was only just a fling. She hadn’t given him any reason to think otherwise. “She doesn’t think that.” He said sharply.

AJ shrugged. “You never know. Besides, I talk to her friend. Ashleigh’s pretty crazy about you. You shouldn’t string her along.”

Nick rolled his eyes. “She’s a big girl. She’ll be fine.”

That night, Ashleigh and Joey met up with a few of their friends outside of the Target Centre. It seemed as though the Backstreet Boys concert was the hot ticket of the summer in their city. Nothing else interesting ever happened in Minneapolis.

“Ash, you are not sleeping with Nick Carter.” Kate, a girl who had been friends with Ashleigh and Joey all through high school, laughed. “You are totally not.”

Ashleigh pouted. None of her friends seemed to believe her. “I am! We even did it on his bus!” She exclaimed, and Joey nodded.

“Yeah, she is.” She said reluctantly. Ashleigh was blowing the entire thing out of proportion. She was making it sound like she and Nick were practically married, when in reality they only slept together after the concerts.

Kate shook her head. “I don’t believe it. Not until I see photo evidence.”

Ashleigh giggled. “I’m not getting you naked pictures of Nick, Kate.” She laughed.

“I didn’t mean naked pictures! I mean a picture of you guys together. Clothed.” Kate exclaimed. “But now that you mention it, I wouldn’t be opposed.” She snickered.

“Uh, sorry, but that’s only for me to see.” Ashleigh giggled. The girls continued to laugh and joke as they walked through the arena, and eventually took their seats. They had opted to sit in the seats they had originally bought for this concert so they could sit with their friends.

Throughout the concert Ashleigh felt increasing more and more glum. She couldn’t shake the feeling that the next time she would be back in this city would be when the tour was over and she had to return to her normal life – without Nick.
Chapter 20 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 20

Ashleigh struggled as she went over the pros and cons in her head. Visiting Nick in Florida would mean that she’d have to lie to Matt. Though, she’d already lied to him quite a bit, what was another? If she went and visited Nick, would he be expecting something more than just a couple of relaxing days on the beach? Is that what she wanted? Was she hoping he would come on to her?

She racked her brain for the rest of the evening trying to decide what would be best. She contemplated calling Joey, but didn’t for fear that her friend would tell her that it wasn’t a good idea.

As much as Ashleigh didn’t want to admit it, she knew she wanted to go to Florida. She felt herself get overly excited every time she imagined herself sitting silently on a beach, leaning against Nick.

She tried to distract herself and clear her head by watching some television. It didn’t work, her mind kept going back to her inner debate. If she did decide to go visit Nick, in one week at this time, she would be there. What would they be doing? Probably something more exciting than sitting inside watching re-runs of old sitcoms.

That night, she tried as best as she could to sleep. She’d ended up tossing and turning for most of the night, occasionally peeking over at Matt. Strangely, Ashleigh didn’t feel all that guilty for all that she was doing. She and Matt had been together for the past three years, and yet Ashleigh didn’t care than in the last two weeks, she’d been nothing but dishonest. She and Matt had never had the perfect relationship, he’d always been very indecisive. They would argue loudly whenever they disagreed, and weren’t ever to solve their problems by a compromise. Rather, someone had to give in.

Like the night of their engagement. What had started out as an innocent conversation about the future and whatnot, had turned into a screaming match about how Ashleigh wanted too much too quickly, and Matt was unable to make a commitment to her after all that time. Ashleigh had ended up at Joey’s place, crying and complaining about how awful she thought Matt was and how she was sick of his passive aggressive attitude. She’d stated time and time again that night that she was going to leave him.

When she went home the next morning, she was ready to kick Matt out of the house that they’d shared for the past year and tell him that she was finished, that they were over. Instead she’d found Matt sitting on the couch, looking as though he hadn’t slept all night. She was just about to open her mouth to tell him to leave when he’d held out a ring and asked her to marry him.

Ashleigh had been too stunned to say anything other than “Yes.” Their fight the night before had been based on the fact that Ashleigh wanted to get married, and he hadn’t been ready for that yet. Now that he was asking her, everything had been solved. Or so she had thought at the time.

The two of them getting engaged hadn’t changed much, it had only made her life more stressful in having to deal with wedding plans. Matt was still busy with work all the time, and treated Ashleigh as though she wasn’t as important as whatever project he was doing that week.

And yet, she was considering leaving Matt for Nick. While Ashleigh and Matt’s relationship had been anything but stable, she and Nick didn’t even have a relationship in the first place. He had used her for sex and treated her like a goddess when she was next to him, but who knows what he had said when she wasn’t around? She’d spent nearly two months with him, and he hadn’t even had the decency to call her and make sure she’d gotten home safely.

Now things were different. This time around they talked on the phone constantly, and they’d only slept together once. Nick had grown up and changed a lot since the last time they’d been together. Ashleigh couldn’t help but wonder if it was all an act, to test himself and see if he had the capability of winning a girl over. She had initially thought that she was just being nice, but now that he’d invited her down to visit him for a weekend, that idea had been cast aside. If he was truly just being a friend, he wouldn’t have done that.

On the surface, neither relationship seemed appealing. She and Matt hardly saw each other, and when they did things were usually sour, or they were acting. She and Nick lives thousands of miles apart and he was usually busy doing his touring.

However, when he’d been touring, Nick had made time to call her.

But Matt hadn’t used her and abandoned her

Ashleigh just didn’t know.

The next morning she awoke to the sun streaming in through the window. She figured she must have drifted off to sleep somewhere between 3 and 4. Grudgingly, she got out of bed and walked down to the kitchen, where Matt was sitting and reading the paper. Quietly sipping coffee, he gave Ashleigh a slight nod as she made her way over to the cupboard, in search of something to eat.

“What was your meeting about last night?” Ashleigh asked, sitting down at the table across from him.

Matt shrugged and didn’t look up from his paper. “Some third quarter wrap up. Nothing you’d be interested in.” He said.

Ashleigh sighed. He never really had anything interesting to say either. She and Nick could talk for what seemed like hours about nothing. “Hey, do you remember that show Saved By The Bell?” She asked, trying to start up some sort of conversation. “They had a marathon of it on last night, I loved that episode where Zach bought those fake class rings. It was hilarious.”

Matt still didn’t look up from his paper. “That’s an old teen drama from the 80’s isn’t it? Doesn’t sound too appealing. Why didn’t you watch that boxset of CSI I bought?”

Ashleigh rolled her eyes. “Because Saved By The Bell is awesome. You never watched that back when you were younger?”

Matt just shook his head. “I did, but some things are meant to stay in the past, you know? I think you get too wrapped up in nostalgia sometimes.” He laughed.

“Yeah. I guess.” Ashleigh muttered, picking at her muffin. Matt’s disinterest in her only furthered her need to see Nick again.

Two days later, she was still at a loss as to what to do. While she and Matt walked through the mall in search of dishes for their wedding, she thought of nothing but how she needed to make her decision so she could buy a plane ticket for Friday if needed.

“So is that okay with you?” Matt asked, pulling Ashleigh out of her thoughts.

“What?”

“If we go with my Mom on Saturday to look at reception halls, then on Sunday you can come with me to my dinner, and meet most of the guests-”

“No!” Ashleigh blurted out suddenly. She didn’t think she could stand another minute of wedding planning. For someone who hadn’t even wanted to get married in the first place, Matt sure was getting wrapped up in all the preparations. “I mean, I can’t this weekend.”

“Why not?” He asked her, wondering what she could possibly be doing. Ashleigh never did anything but watch television and occasionally go out with Joey.

“I’m going away. To a trade show…I’ll be gone all weekend.” She said slowly, surprising herself. It seemed so simple. Spending her weekend bored to death planning her wedding, or hanging out with Nick in sunny Florida. It shouldn’t have been a tough choice.

Matt raised his eyebrow. “A trade show? You never told me about this before.”

Ashleigh bit her lip. “I did.” She lied. “You were just too busy to listen to me. As usual.” She said, sounding agitated. Secretly, she was pleased with herself. She’d managed to think up a clever lie, and play it off as though he should have already known about it.

Matt sighed. “Well, maybe if you would mention things to me when I have time to talk, instead of saying them as I’m running out the door, I’d remember.”

Ashleigh rolled her eyes, but didn’t reply. She didn’t feel like arguing with him, especially over something that hadn’t actually happened. It didn’t matter, she’d got what she’d wanted – a free pass for the weekend.

As Ashleigh had suspected, Joey wasn’t thrilled with the idea.

“So, let me get this straight. You haven’t told Matt you’re cheating on him-”

“Cheated. Once.” Ashleigh corrected her, as the two girls sat in a far corner of Ashleigh’s store the following afternoon.

Joey sighed. “Whatever. You haven’t told Matt anything, you haven’t told Nick how you feel, and you’re going away to Florida? Ashleigh, do you even know what you want anymore?”

“Obviously I don’t.” Ashleigh replied sarcastically. “Nick invited me. I wanted to go. Is that so horrible? If it doesn’t work out, things will go back to normal.” She shrugged, knowing Joey wouldn’t buy her explanation. She couldn’t blame her, she didn’t really buy it either.

“No, Ash. It’s not horrible. Matt just isn’t the one for you.” Joey said quietly. Ashleigh was always jumping into things without realizing exactly what she was getting herself into.

“And Nick is?” Ashleigh asked partly with hope and party in disbelief.

Joey shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe you need to spend this weekend with him to figure that out. Even if he’s not, you should still break it off with Matt. It’s obvious you’re unhappy, do you really want to spend the rest of your life with this guy?”

“I thought I did.” Ashleigh said sadly.

“Because you were scared you wouldn’t find anyone else?” Joey asked, and Ashleigh shrugged and nodded a little. “You will.”

“I guess.” She mumbled. She hated the entire situation. Never in her life had she thought that relationships could ever get this complicated. All she wanted was to meet someone and fall in love. Now she was learning that it simply wasn’t that easy.

Joey looked down at her watch. “I need to go back to work. Have you told Nick you’re going to visit him yet?”

“No.” Ashleigh said. “He’s been really busy. Their last show was yesterday, and he went out with the other guys to celebrate and stuff. He’s probably back home now.”

Joey stood up and got ready to leave. “Call him and tell him. Then you guys can plan everything you’re going to do. Don’t worry about the rest of this stuff, just worry about having fun with Nick this weekend, okay?” She smiled, and turned to leave.

Ashleigh sighed as she pulled out her cell phone. Dialing Nick’s number, she couldn’t help but feel a bit of excitement. In four days she’d be getting on a plane and meeting him in the airport.

“Hey, Ash. How’s it going?” Nick answered his phone quickly.

“Good. How was your party thing?” She asked.

“It was fun. Kind of sad that the tour’s over, but it’s good to be back home.” Nick replied.

“Is your offer for this weekend still on?” Ashleigh asked him carefully. For a second, she worried that Nick may not have been serious about the invitation.

“Yeah, of course!” Nick said excitedly. He knew now that Ashleigh was planning on visiting him. He had hoped that she would, but the way she’d been acting had started to suggest otherwise.

Ashleigh breathed a sigh of relief. “Great.” She smiled. “My flight gets in at 4:30. Can you meet me at the airport?”

Nick could barely contain his excitement. He was going to win her back, just as he had hoped. “Yeah, no problem.”

Ashleigh grinned. After feeling depressed and uncertain for most of the week, this was certainly a nice change. That coming Friday she’d be back with Nick, and she wouldn’t have to think about Matt or her wedding for the entirety of the long weekend.
Chapter 21 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 21

Ashleigh sat sadly backstage at the Pepsi Centre in Denver. Tonight was the last concert that she and Joey would be seeing. They would spend the night in Denver with the boys, and then begin their drive back to Minneapolis the next morning.

Ashleigh watched impatiently as the boys sang and danced their way through Larger Than Life. She had never felt so uncertain about the future in her life.

Joey smiled at her. Ashleigh was sure she had to be sad about leaving too. They had dreamed of meeting the Backstreet Boys for quite some time, and it had happened in a much bigger and more spectacular way then either of them could have imagined. Now that it was coming to an end, both of them felt uneasy.

After the concert was over, they were rushed back to the busses as usual. Ashleigh with Nick, Joey with AJ. This had become a habit. Sometimes they would go out to eat after a show, but usually Nick and Ashleigh would hide out in his hotel room, while Joey spent most of her time with AJ and Howie.

“Are we doing anything tonight?” Ashleigh asked Nick, as the two of them sat in the bus on their way back to the hotel.

Nick grinned at her. “Anything you want, baby.”

Ashleigh sighed. She wanted nothing more than to spend the entire evening in Nick’s arms, and not have to worry about the day that lay ahead of them. However, she also knew that Joey was probably feeling upset as well. Maybe if they could all go out together, it might make her feel a little better. “Joey and I have to leave tomorrow.” Ashleigh said sadly, though Nick already knew. She had mentioned it when they first got to Denver, that she wouldn’t be joining him when they left for Cincinnati. “Do you think we could go out somewhere to eat or something, with Joey? To say goodbye?”

Nick nodded, though he would have rather that they spent the night in his room, alone. “Sure. That sounds like fun.”

So, Nick, Ashleigh Joey and AJ sat in a private booth of a local pizza place together. Ashleigh was far more clingy to Nick that she had been lately. This time it didn’t bother Joey as much. Soon they would be home and Ashleigh would be heartbroken. She had anticipated this ever since they had left Minneapolis a few weeks prior. Ashleigh had seemed eager to get back on the road and leave the city. Joey suspected she had been dreading going home.

“Where are you guys going after this?” Joey asked, trying to lighten the mood a little.

“Europe.” AJ answered, glancing in Nick’s direction. There was no way he was going to be able to keep in contact with Ashleigh while they were overseas.

“I wish I could go to Europe.” Ashleigh muttered, moving in closer to Nick.

Joey ignored her, knowing there wasn’t really anything she could say that would make Ashleigh feel better. “That sounds exciting. I’ve never been outside of North America.”

Nick kissed the top of Ashleigh’s head, making her smile sadly. “It’s not as cool as you think. We don’t really have time to go sight seeing and all that.”

“Sometimes we get to do a couple of neat things.” AJ interjected. “We went on a helicopter tour once.”

“That sounds cool.” Joey said, peeking at Ashleigh. She had her head on Nick’s shoulder and was staring downwards. The drive home was not going to be fun.

Once they were finally back in the hotel room, Ashleigh forcefully kissed Nick. They collapsed onto the bed as per the usual, both of them knowing that this was going to be the last time that they were together for a while.

Ashleigh wanted so badly to tell Nick how he had exceeded her expectations in every way. Over the past couple of months she’d began to see him for the person he really was, and not just the character she’d created in her head. She had never seriously thought that she and Nick would meet and fall in love in the spectacular way that they had.

Over the short time she’d known him, he’d become her envision of the perfect boyfriend. He’d treated her well, they’d had amazing sex and he was gorgeous. He was everything that her eighteen year old self had needed.

But she had kept herself from telling him how she really felt, not really knowing how to go about doing it. She’d never had a serious boyfriend before this, and didn’t really know what to expect.

Nick kissed her quickly before turning to his side of the bed. The fact that Ashleigh was leaving didn’t bother him too much. The only thing that would change was that he’d go back to feeling lonely and miserable. He’d noticed that Ashleigh seemed quite upset about the fact that they were leaving. Not that he could blame her, this had probably been the experience of a lifetime for her.

“I’ll miss you Nick…” She said quietly, and Nick turned around and kissed her cheek.

“I’ll miss you too.” He replied, though it wasn’t exactly Ashleigh he would miss rather than the companionship.

“I really want to go with you to Europe.” She said, a pleading look in her eyes. Though, it wasn’t Nick that was stopping her from going with him. It was the fact that she had already registered to start University in a week.

“I know.” Nick said, pulling her into a hug. “It’ll be okay. I’ll see you when I get back.”

Ashleigh stayed silent for a moment, not wanting their evening to end. She wanted so much at that moment to tell him she loved him, and couldn’t wait until he was back, but again she stopped herself. She wanted him to say it first.

He didn’t though. Instead they laid silently with one another until they fell asleep. Ashleigh, dreading the fact that she had to leave the boy she’d grown to love and Nick, irritated that he was going to have to return to feeling uncomfortable around Brian and Leighanne.
Chapter 22 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 22

Ashleigh sat nervously as the plane started to descend, digging her nails into her knees. She had never been a fan of flying, and thankfully she didn’t need to do it much. The only time she had flown before this was when she’d gone on a family trip to New York in her teenage years. If she would have had her way, she’d have driven down to Florida. Of course, that wasn’t at all plausible.

Thankfully, the plane landed smoothly. Ashleigh breathed a sigh of relief after the passengers were told they could exit. Her fear was then overtaken by excitement. Excitement because she’d never been to Florida before, and of course because she was about to spend the entire weekend with Nick.

Unable to conceal her happiness, Ashleigh grinned as she exited the plane and headed to baggage check. It didn’t take long for her to spot her large bright pink suitcase amongst the other, more generic pieces of luggage.

While Ashleigh was picking up her luggage and making her way to the gate, Nick sat impatiently in the terminal. It was bad enough that he’d had to wait four days from when she’d told him she would be coming, now her flight was late.

So he sat quietly, and surprisingly wasn’t bothered by any fans. It was nice, since their popularity had subsided, he had been able to go out without getting mobbed.

Finally, she walked through the gate, and Nick nearly leapt out of his chair to go greet her. Grinning and brushing her hair out of her eyes, she smiled up at him.

“I’d offer to take your suitcase for you, but I really don’t want to wheel around a bright pink bag.” Nick laughed, eyeing her luggage.

Ashleigh giggled. “It’s okay.” She smiled. “How far do you live from here?” She asked, eager to relax. Airports were another thing she didn’t like, far too busy and rushed for her taste.

“It’s about a half hour drive.” Nick said as they walked out to the parking lot. “How was your flight?” He asked, once the two of them were seated in his car.

Ashleigh shrugged. She hardly wanted to think about the time she’d spent on the plane. “It was okay. I really hate flying though.” She replied sheepishly.

Nick nodded knowingly. “I don’t really like it either. I guess I just got used to it.”

The two of them continued to converse as they drove from the airport to Nick’s house. Ashleigh couldn’t help but marvel at the gorgeous sight that Florida was. Definitely more interesting than Minnesota. There were palm trees as they got closer to where Ashleigh assumed Nick’s beach front property was. She could definitely get used to Florida.

“Holy crap.” Ashleigh breathed as Nick pulled his car into the driveway. His house was about three times the size of hers, and that wasn’t counting the private beach he had for a backyard. “Nick, you have a huge house.”

Nick shrugged. All he’d wanted was something close to the water, and with beach side property came lavish houses. Not that he minded. “I guess so.” He said, turning off the ignition. Ashleigh got out of the car and was met with a nice breeze.

Nick watched her take in his home. She certainly had known how to dress for her trip, wearing a tank top, jean shorts and sandals. Seeing her dressed like that only solidified his belief that she was supposed to be here, with him and not living with some boring accountant in Minnesota…with snow.

As the two of them walked inside, Nick took Ashleigh’s pink suitcase upstairs. He had set up the guest room for her, though he had hoped she wouldn’t use it. “I made up a room for you.” He said, as she followed him up the stairs.

Ashleigh nodded, unsure of how she felt about that. On one hand, she was happy that she wouldn’t have to deal with the awkwardness that would come with sleeping beside Nick. On the other hand, she wasn’t sure how to take this. Maybe Nick really had invited her down here just to be nice, and to be a friend.

“Thanks.” She said, sitting down on the bed. She stretched out a little, and Nick stood in the doorway.

“I made dinner reservations for seven, but if you don’t want to go out I can always cancel them.” He said quickly, noticing that she looked a little tired. The last thing he wanted to do was overwhelm her, which would surely send her running back to her boring accountant fiancée.

“That’s great.” Ashleigh grinned, looking at the clock on the bedside table. She had about an hour before their reservation, leaving her about half an hour to get ready, she figured as Nick lived in somewhat of a secluded area. “I guess I’ll just take a shower or something and then we can go. Is it far?”

Nick shook his head. He hadn’t imagined that she would want to go out to a fancy dinner, so he’d just thought they could go out for pizza. “It’s about a fifteen minute drive. I thought we could go for pizza…is that okay?”

Ashleigh giggled, Nick really was trying his best to please her. “Of course that’s okay. God, I don’t know what I’d do if I had to get dressed up and act posh all night.” She laughed.

Nick grinned as Ashleigh made her way to the washroom. Making his way to his own bedroom, he quickly checked himself in the mirror. He couldn’t help but notice the awkwardness between them. Nick figured this was probably because the status of their relationship hadn’t really been established, and he wasn’t really ready to bring it up just yet. He didn’t know what was going through Ashleigh’s mind with regards to that. Though he did notice she was still wearing her engagement ring, which wasn’t a good sign.

He couldn’t but think that even though she was still technically engaged to Matt, her heart belonged to him. She spent countless hours on the phone with him, and had flown down to see him for the long weekend. That had to mean something, perhaps that she was willing to give him another chance? Nick didn’t know. He hoped so, but he didn’t know.

Soon enough, the two of them were seated at Papa John’s. Ashleigh was licking her lips as she gazed at the menu. The airplane food had been less than appetizing, and it was no longer free! That had irritated her, last time she’d been on a plane they had offered her free food.

Ashleigh had quickly ordered herself a chocolate milkshake when the waitress had come to take their orders. Other than that, she really didn’t know what she wanted to eat. “Do you want to just split a pizza or something?” She asked Nick, sipping at the ice cream concoction that had been placed in front of her.

Nick raised an eyebrow. “Sure…but I’m boring and only like cheese pizza.” He said.

Ashleigh shrugged. “That’s fine. I’m not picky.” She said with a smile. Really, she didn’t care what she had for dinner, all she cared about was the fact that she was actually sitting across from Nick.

Nick nodded in agreement, and soon the waitress was back to take their order.

“So, do you think they managed to close the store without you?” Nick asked, knowing Ashleigh had left her store in the hands of one of her staff.

Ashleigh bit her lip. That wasn’t something she wanted to think about. While she loved her staff, the only really reliable person was Caitlin and she already opened. Ashleigh couldn’t have asked her to stay for the entire eleven hour day. So, reluctantly, she’d asked Sheldon to close the store for her. She’d left him detailed instructions, but half expected to find an un-clean floor and an empty display case when she returned to work. “I really hope so. I have a feeling he forgot to do the food order. Or clean out the coffee pots. Or something that is going to make Caitlin flip out on Tuesday morning when she opens.”

Nick nodded. He always enjoyed listening to her talk about her store. She seemed to have a real love hate relationship with this Sheldon character. One day she was raving about how she was going to fire him, the next she was laughing about some story he’d told her. It amused Nick. “I’m sure it’ll be fine.” He tried to reassure her, and Ashleigh rolled her eyes.

“It had better. Or I’m going to put an ad in the paper.” She said, and Nick laughed.

They continued to laugh and talk, and soon enough they finished the pizza that had been brought to them. Nick hadn’t eaten all day on account of being excited about Ashleigh coming to visit, and Ashleigh hadn’t eaten anything since she’d been at work that morning. Either way, they had both been starving and the pizza definitely hit the spot.

When they got back to Nick’s place, he and Ashleigh lazily sat on his couch and Nick began flipping through channels. Stopping at some old re-runs Nick put down the remote and causally draped his arm around Ashleigh.

Ashleigh felt her heart nearly skip a beat as Nick drew her closer to him. Not that she minded at all, she was just surprised. This made her feel a little more as though he might have feelings for her as well. Smiling, she sat with him comfortably as they watched old episodes of The Fresh Prince.

“I love this show.” Nick said, though he figured Ashleigh already knew that as he’d been cracking up at every stupid joke Will Smith made.

“I like Saved By The Bell better.” Ashleigh said with a smirk, remembering her conversation with Matt earlier that week. How much he had annoyed her, telling her that she was too into nostalgia. Ashleigh adored the 90’s.

“Oh man, I loved that show!” Nick exclaimed. “AJ and I bought the boxsets of that and watched it on my bus during the Never Gone tour.”

It was things such as that that made Ashleigh feel as though she belonged with Nick and that she was engaged to the wrong person. She nuzzled closer to him and felt even more secure in her decision to go there.

After the episode was over, Nick gazed out the window. The sun was starting to set, ad he could tell Ashleigh was getting tired. He didn’t blame her, she’d gone into work that morning to open with Caitlin and make sure things were set for the rest of the day. That meant she’d been up since 5 a.m. “You want to go for a walk?” Nick asked her.

Ashleigh looked at Nick. As exhausted as she was, she didn’t want to waste any part of this weekend. “Okay.” She said.

Nick took her hand as the left through the back door. Stepping down from the patio onto the beach, Ashleigh sighed as she felt the warm sand beneath her feet. “This is much better than a coffee trade show.” She said to herself.

“What?” Nick asked, wondering what in the world she was talking about.

Ashleigh laughed, walking closer to the water. “I told Matt that I was going to a trade show for work this weekend.”

Nick shook his head. He supposed it seemed like a plausible enough lie. He didn’t understand why she was still engaged to him. She obviously didn’t want to be with him, if she was so quick to join Nick at his Florida home.

She hadn’t been quick though. She’d taken three days to decide. Had she really been thinking about staying with Matt over him? In the end, she’d chosen Nick…somewhat. She was still engaged. Still seemingly trying to work things out with him.

“He bought that, did he?” Nick commented, placing a hand on her shoulder and playing with her hair.

“Yeah. He was pissed off though. He had a bunch of plans for us, to go see reception halls and stuff. I’m getting really sick of fucking wedding planning.” She said irritably.

“Then why are you doing it?” Nick asked her, his voice barely above a whisper. Ashleigh turned to face him, and suddenly shivered. Though it had nothing to do with the warm Florida air that surrounded them.

“I don’t know.” She replied softly. Why was she still engaged to him? The only reason that Ashleigh could come up with was that she was afraid of not being with someone. However, standing with Nick she felt anything but alone. She stared up at him, he looked as though he was going to kiss her at any moment. Ashleigh didn’t know how she would respond to that. When they’d slept together in his hotel room back in Minneapolis, she’d been able to run away, and bury her emotions. Here in Florida, she wouldn’t be able to do that.

“I’m getting tired, Nick.” She said, moving back towards the house. “Do you mind if I turn in early? I promise we’ll have a longer day tomorrow.” She smiled through her worries.

“Sure.” Nick said, watching as she ran up the steps back to his house. He’d been so close. But there was still two and half days left, he still had time.

Surprisingly, Ashleigh had fallen asleep as soon as her head had hit the pillow. She awoke the next morning rather early, around 8 a.m. What surprised her even more was that Nick was already awake, and apparently attempting to cook.

“Good morning.” She said, walking into the kitchen. Her best solution in awkward situations had always been to ignore them. She figured it would be best if she didn’t mention anything about the night before. Maybe Nick had forgotten about it. “What’re you making?” She asked, peering over his shoulder.

“Pancakes…” Nick said, though he was having a bit of trouble. They were all running together to form one giant pancake.

Ashleigh giggled. “Mind if I try?” She asked, and Nick happily handed the task over to her. He hated cooking, and while he’d tried to do something nice for her, it wasn’t turning out exactly as he had planned.

Ashleigh wasn’t the greatest chef, but she could cook a little without burning the house down. She was able to fix Nick’s pancake issue with ease. Within fifteen minutes, the two of them were eating the more manageable sized pancakes.

“What do you want to do today?” Nick asked her.

“I don’t know.” Ashleigh replied. “Florida-y type things?” She suggested, though that was probably a given.

Nick smiled. “We could go out on my boat, if you want.” He shrugged as though it were nothing. Secretly, he’d been awake early preparing his boat for that evening, when he planned to take her out.

Ashleigh grinned. The elusive boat. Forever would Nick Carter be linked to his love for the ocean. Every single interview she’d seen had him talking about that boat. Did she want to go out on his boat? Hell yeah, she wanted to go out on his boat! The fourteen year old teenybopper came back to life for a moment. “Yes!” She squealed.

Nick laughed at her excitement. He adored her enthusiasm towards such things he found to be so normal and mundane. “Okay, we’ll do that this afternoon.”

Ashleigh and Nick had spent the better part of the morning lazily hanging around his house and taking a short walk around his neighborhood. When they’d gotten back, they’d got changed and ready to go out onto the water.

Ashleigh quickly leaned that Nick was a boating expert. She found it incredibly cute the way he was so obsessed with his boat and everything to do with the ocean. She leaned her back against the railing, looking up at the cloudless sky.

Nick glanced at her. Her hair was blowing in the wind, along with her cotton pink sundress. Again, all he could think about was how she looked as though she belonged there. He couldn’t imagine her wearing a winter coat trudging through the snow.

With a boring accountant.

Nick walked over to her, and she looked at him questioningly. He was a little closer then she would have liked, because if he made her uncomfortable, there was no way she would run…

Yet, she didn’t know why she would even be compelled to run, or why he should be making her uncomfortable. His hair fell softly over his forehead, as he hadn’t bothered to put any gel in it that day. Ashleigh couldn’t help but think he was gorgeous as he stood in front of her wearing nothing but a white t-shirt and a pair of swimming trunks.

Nick didn’t say anything as he stood in front of her. He just stared at her, and lightly touched her shoulder, playing with the strap of her dress. “Don’t marry him, Ash.” He said without thinking.

Ashleigh considered him for a moment. He looked so innocent and sweet, standing there with her in the middle of nowhere. “Why not?” She asked, turning her head to the side to gaze out at the water.

“Because you shouldn’t be with him…you should be with me…” He said quietly. This speech wasn’t exactly going the way he had planned it.

Ashleigh had half expected herself to say “Okay.” but she didn’t. Instead she stood silently, contemplating this. She and Nick had had an enjoyable last few weeks, laughing and talking on the phone with each other. What kind of a basis for a relationship was that? Especially one that was such a long distance.

Well, actually being able to talk on the phone would be a good thing, she reasoned with herself. Would she be able to handle that? Having Nick be several thousands of miles away from her most of the time?

It would be better than having Matt live in the same house as her…

“I’m not perfect, Nick.” She replied.

“I know.” He said. “Believe me, Ash, I know.”

She laughed. That was true. She was embarrassed to think about the person that she had been so many years ago when Nick had first met her. “You never called back last time.” She whispered. Part of her feared giving Nick what he wanted on the off chance that he was only interested in chasing her. Once he’d proved to himself that he could win her over would he become disinterested?

“I called you back this time.” He pointed out.

“I know.”

Nick kissed softly, and she didn’t push him away. “I won’t be a dick this time.” He said with a playful smile. “I promise.”

Ashleigh had fought as hard as she could have. Deep down, she’d known that she was going to end up giving into Nick again and hopefully this time he would stay true to his word. She wrapped her arms around and continued to kiss him. Why was it that he always managed to win her over with kisses?

Because he was damn good at them. The continued to kiss before Nick led her over to the pile of blankets that he had prepared earlier that day. It didn’t take long before the few articles of clothing they had been wearing were scattered around them. Every time they’d had sex before this had been different. Back on the tour, it had been about the two of them having fun and enjoying each other on a physical level. A couple of weeks ago it had been for closure, so that Ashleigh could move on with her life. Now it was more gentle, and it meant that the two of them were finally rebuilding their relationship, or lack thereof.

The first time Ashleigh had slept with Nick, she’d left the morning after without a word to him. It had almost been the same in his hotel room a few weeks ago, once it was over she left without staying to talk to him. Now she sat with her head against his chest, willing herself not to cry.

Nick felt her shake against him, and worried that he’d upset her, and come on to her too strong. “Ash?” He asked carefully. “What’s wrong?”

She looked up at him and wiped her eyes quickly. “Nothing, nothing.” She assured him. “They’re happy tears.”

Nick embraced her tightly, happy that she was finally his and that things were finally starting to work out. Inviting her to Florida had been one of the more ingenious ideas he’d ever had.

The rest of the weekend flew by quickly. Ashleigh and Nick slept next to each other for the remainder of the two nights. They both woke up smiling, happy to be with one another. They spent quite a bit of time out on the beach and on Nick’s boat, which Ashleigh couldn’t get enough of.

Monday afternoon came much too fast. Soon Ashleigh and Nick were back at the airport, only this time they were saying goodbye. She had been dreading this since she had woken up that morning.

“I wish you could stay longer.” Nick said as her kissed her softly while they waited for her boarding call.

“Me too.” Ashleigh said regretfully. “Unfortunately I have to go attend to my probably incinerated store.” She said with a small smile. Was it going to be this hard to leave him each time? Ashleigh didn’t know how she was going to manage in a long distance relationship.

Nick laughed. “I’ll come visit you soon.” He promised. “You can teach me how to snow shoe.”

Ashleigh rolled her eyes. “It’s only September, there’s no snow yet.” She said, and just as she did her boarding call was announced. “That’s me.” She said, standing up.

Nick stood up as well, pulling her into a tight hug. “Call me when you get home.”

Ashleigh nodded as she turned to walk towards the gate. “I will.” She gave him one final kiss before leaving.

Nick watched as she walked away from him. He’d never felt such a mix of feelings. He was happy that they’d finally managed to work things out, and crushed that she’d had to leave so soon. He was also worried, knowing that she had to go home and face her fiancée. Would she change her mind once she got home? Nick smiled a little, thinking of the cruel irony. If she didn’t end up calling him or wanting to be with him after all, he’d be heartbroken. Much like she had been so many years ago.

Ashleigh leaned back in her seat as the plane began to roll down the runway. She wasn’t at all looking forward to anything about going home. She dreaded having to face Matt, and having to tell her family that the wedding was no longer going to be happening. Still, with all the impeding trouble that was sure to come Ashleigh hadn’t felt this happy in a long time.
Chapter 23 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 23

The next morning, Ashleigh and Joey had said their final goodbyes before getting in Aaron’s car and setting off on the road back to Minnesota. They were both less than happy about this, as it meant that their summer was finally over.

Throughout their trip, Joey had been somewhat annoyed with Ashleigh. This was supposed to have been a time for them to celebrate being finished High School, and moving on to a new chapter of their life. Instead Ashleigh had spent the summer fooling around with a boy who Joey knew was probably never going to talk to her again.

Yet, she couldn’t be angry as they silently drove. Ashleigh sat in the passengers seat staring out the side window. Occasionally she would wipe her eyes with the back of her hand. The silence was making the tension worse, and Joey glanced at the pile of CDs beside her.

She wasn’t sure if Backstreet Boys music was really a good idea. She flipped through a couple more CDs… Ashleigh didn’t really like Aaron Carter, but Joey figured it might make her laugh.

Joey popped the disc into the stereo and started to sing along to the cheesy music. “I always tried to be the flyest kid on the block, the popular one with the rising stock. So that’s when I had this bright idea, throw the party of the month-”

“Nah! The party of the year!” Ashleigh chimed in. As much as she adored Nick, she’d never been a fan of Aaron’s. She and Joey had always taken every chance they’d had to make fun of him.

The two girls laughed as they continued to sing along to the CD. Ashleigh began to feel a little better, though she was still depressed. Leaving Nick was not something she had mentally prepared herself for. Every time someone had mentioned them going home and going to school, Ashleigh had pushed the thought to the back of her mind. She didn’t think that the day was ever going to arrive.

“Why do you have this?” Ashleigh asked skeptically.

Joey shrugged. The CD wasn’t hers, it was part of her brother’s collection. “I think someone gave to Aaron as a gag gift. You know, ‘Aaron’s Party’.” She said.

Ashleigh nodded. She turned to look back out the window. She’d felt a little happier after a few minutes, and then the sadness returned.

“It’ll be okay, Ash.” Joey said, trying to cheer her up. “We’ll start university and we’ll make a bunch of new friends. It’ll be fun.”

Ashleigh shook her head and stared at her feet. “I don’t want a bunch of new friends. I only want Nick.”

Joey looked at her friend sadly. She didn’t think there was anything she could say that would make Ashleigh feel better. Instead she just listened.

“I love him.” Ashleigh continued, starting to cry again. “God, I love him so much.”

“I know, Ash.” Joey said quietly. How heartbreaking this was. Ashleigh had fallen in love for the first time, only to have her heart broken a couple of months later. By her idol, no less.

“I’m never going to see him again, am I?” Ashleigh asked, not really wanting to believe what she thought to be true. “This is it, isn’t it?”

Joey shook her head. She didn’t want to tell Ashleigh that she knew Nick was probably never going to call her, but she also didn’t want to give her friend false hope. “I don’t know.”

Ashleigh sighed. “I mean, we spent two months together. It was fun, I thought it was fun. He’ll call me right? Why wouldn’t he want to?” Ashleigh tried to rationalize the thoughts in her head. Nick had been nothing but sweet to her. In her eyes, all she saw was perfection when it came to him.

Joey bit her lip. She hoped that for Ashleigh’s sake, Nick would call her. Otherwise, Joey didn’t really know what was going to happen. Imagine meeting and falling in love with your idol, only to have them break your heart.

Joey just listened as Ashleigh reminisced about her time with Nick. Was there going to be any way she would be able to get over him?

“That time that his bus broke down…do you remember that?” Ashleigh spoke quickly, feeling that the only way not to be upset about having to leave would be to re-live the entire summer. “That was so funny! Remember when we played I’ve Never? I love that game… this time was way more fun than when we used to play it with Kate and Jen.” Ashleigh babbled.

Joey couldn’t help but smile. She’d had quite a bit of fun that summer herself, even though it wasn’t with Ashleigh. Still, she was also looking forward to starting University. She’d known that their summer had been just that – a summer. Ashleigh had felt as though she was going to spend the rest of her life with Nick. As ridiculous as Joey thought that was, she still felt awful for her friend.

Ashleigh continued to ramble for a good portion of the trip home. There were times when she’d be struck with a pang of sadness, but she pushed it aside feeling as though this was only a short separating and in time she and Nick would be together again.

By the time the girls arrived back home, they were both exhausted. Joey quickly dropped off Ashleigh at her house. As it was late when they finally made it back, everyone was asleep and the house was quiet. Silently, before heading to bed, Ashleigh picked up the phone and dialed Nick’s cell number.

There was no answer.

Not thinking too much of it, as it was quite late, Ashleigh figured he was probably asleep. She left a quick message on his voicemail letting him know that she’d safely gotten home and then headed to sleep herself.
Chapter 24 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 24

That evening when Ashleigh arrived home, Matt was no where to be found. She figured he was probably out at some staff meeting, or at his parents house. She dismissed it, not really caring too much.

After giving Nick a call and letting him know that she’d arrived home safely, Ashleigh curled up in her bed and peered at her photo albums. This was something she’d always liked to do when she was feeling lonely. It had only been recently that she’d finally dug out the pictures of she and Joey back from 2001 and had them organized into their own book. Tired from her flight and emotionally draining weekend, it wasn’t long before she fell asleep.

A few hours later, when she woke up Matt was sitting beside her. “Good morning sleepyhead.” He said when she rolled over to face him.

“What time is it?” Ashleigh mumbled, not too delighted that she’d fallen asleep.

“Almost ten. How was your trip?” He asked.

Ashleigh bit her lip. Was she going to have to have this conversation with him tonight? No, she was too tired for that. She’d just have to lie to him. “It was good.” She replied. It wasn’t exactly a lie – her trip had gone well. Just not in the way Matt assumed.

He nodded, and inched himself closer to her. “I missed you this weekend.” He said softly, placing his hand on her thigh.

Ashleigh gave him an irritated look, which he didn’t notice. He missed her so much that he hadn’t bothered to call her while she was gone. When he started to softly kiss her, Ashleigh squeezed her eyes shut. She was going to have to do this today. She hadn’t given a second thought to Matt while she’d slept with Nick, and yet there was no way she was going to allow herself to do the opposite.

“I can’t do this.” Ashleigh said suddenly, hopping off the bed. She had a feeling this wasn’t going to go smoothly at all.

“What?” Matt asked her, confused. “Oh, are you too tired?” He asked innocently.

“No!” Ashleigh nearly shouted. The impending sense of doom was already starting to raise her temper, and nothing had even happened yet. “This!” She said, waving her hand around. “All of this. I can’t do it.”

Matt glared at her, not sure if he fully understood. “What do you mean, you can’t do it?” He said in a low voice.

“I can’t marry you.” She said quietly.

“You can’t marry me?” He nearly shouted, and Ashleigh winced. She hadn’t even begun half of it. Maybe she didn’t need to tell him about Nick. Maybe this was enough. “What the hell does that mean Ashleigh? You were the one that started this entire marriage idea!”

“I know.” She said, putting her hands over his face. Why did he insist on making this so difficult? Couldn’t he have just said “okay.” And be done with it? “I changed my mind.”

“You changed your mind?!” He said in disbelief. That wasn’t like Ashleigh at all, she was usually incredibly stubborn and set in her ways. “What the fuck happened when you were on vacation? What the hell has Joey been saying to you?”

Ashleigh rolled her eyes. Annoyed that he’d brought Joey up, especially when she’d been on his side for the first little while. “She hasn’t been saying anything! You think that I can’t make a decision on my own?” She spat.

“No Ashleigh, you can’t make a decision on your own.” Matt said angrily. “You’re always running to Joey for advice, making her live your life for you. It’s sick.”

Ashleigh was angry she wanted to scream. How dare he say those things to her? Especially when Joey hadn’t agreed with her at all lately. “Give me a break! Joey and I didn’t talk for two fucking weeks because she was so upset with me. That’s hardly getting her to live my life for me!”

Matt stood silently for a minute. She’d trapped him, he wasn’t able to counter what she’d said. What gave her the right to accuse him of never wanting to settle down, and then just throw it all away? “Ashleigh.” He pleaded, trying a different approach. “What’s wrong?” He said, approaching her and touching her gently.

His false sweetness made Ashleigh even more angry. He only ever acted this way unless he wanted something. “I just…don’t want it anymore.” She said quietly.

Matt wouldn’t accept that as a valid answer. Why should he? They’d been together for a long time, shared a house together and were in the midst of planning a wedding. “That’s not true. Tell me what’s going on.”

She sighed. She was going to have to tell him about Nick. At least Nick was safe in Florida, and wouldn’t have to worry about an angry ex-fiancée rampaging his house. “I…there’s someone else.”

Matt raised an eyebrow. When had Ashleigh had time to meet someone? She only ever went to work or went out with Joey. Occasionally she saw her old friends from University, but those get-togethers were so few and far between that Ashleigh would hardly have time to meet someone from there. “How?” He asked, annoyed.

Again, she sighed. Was he really going to make her tell him the whole story? The fact that she’d decided to be with another man wasn’t enough for him? “That concert that Joey and I went to a few weeks ago is where I met him.” It wasn’t a complete lie.

Matt rolled his eyes, not believing what he was hearing. “I hate to break it to you Ashleigh, but any guy you met at a Backstreet Boys concert is probably gay. In fact, a gay guy would probably fit in more with their crowd than a bunch of screaming girls would.” He smirked, knowing that comment would bother Ashleigh.

And bother her it did. “You’re just jealous.” She said angrily, pushing him off of her.

“Jealous of what?” He laughed. “You need to come out of this 1990’s teen pop world that you live in it’s-”

“Jealous that one of them stole your girlfriend.” Ashleigh cut him off, before he could continue to insult her.

Matt narrowed his eyes at her. “You aren’t dating a Backstreet Boy, Ashleigh. I know you may think you are. Is it a nice world you live in? You need to get out more.”

Ashleigh glared at him. She didn’t think she could take another minute of his condescending attitude. She picked up the photo album and threw it at him. “I’m not fucking crazy. I am, however, fucking Nick Carter.” She shouted, as she left the bedroom and made her way downstairs.

Matt flipped through the pictures quickly. Sure enough, there was Ashleigh who looked as though she was still in high school, hanging off of one of her idols that she loved so much. He tossed the pictures back onto the bed, and headed downstairs to confront his fiancée.

“How old are those pictures, Ash?” Matt challenged once he made it to the kitchen, where Ashleigh was sitting at the table. “You think he even remembers who you are?”

“He remembers.” Ashleigh said coldly. “I ran into him at the concert.” She said, getting up from her seat. Part of her was enjoying this, finally being able to stand up to him. “And let me tell you, he proved to me that he certainly is not gay.”

They were both silent for a minute, while Matt comprehended what Ashleigh was telling him. “You think a one night stand constitutes a relationship?” He said angrily, still refusing to believe what was happening. “All he did was use you to get off.”

His words struck a nerve with Ashleigh. That was exactly what Nick had done to her the first time that they were together. Now, things were different but it still bothered her that Matt had hit the nail right on the head with regards to what had happened between she and Nick before. “He’s not using me!” She shouted. “Unless letting me stay in his mansion in Florida is using me. Unless taking me out on his boat and making love to me out on the ocean is using me! Unless phoning me everyday and taking an interest in my life is using me!” She screamed, unable to contain her anger.

It seemed as though Matt wasn’t able to contain himself any longer either. He shoved Ashleigh out of the way and charged into the basement. Ashleigh looked at him in bewilderment, wondering what in the hell he was up to.

Minutes later, Matt emerged from the basement and continued right on back up to the bedroom. Curious, Ashleigh followed him and was shocked (and a little amused) at what she saw.

“What the hell are you doing?!” She shrieked.

“Since you’re sleeping with him, you really don’t need all this crap, now do you?” He sneered, taking a video cassette and smashing it underneath his feet.

All of Ashleigh’s Backstreet Boys memorabilia was spread out atop their bed. Ashleigh just watched in astonishment as he destroyed her things. He ripped pages out of books, tore posters in half, pulled tape out of her video cassettes. She didn’t know whether to scream, cry or laugh.

Feeling as though she had to get out of there, she grabbed her photo album off the bed before it was subject to destruction. Taking her cell phone and purse off the kitchen counter, she ran out to her car. As fast as she could, she drove away from her house and into the parking lot of a small church a few blocks away. Putting the car into park, she leaned her head against the steering wheel, and cried softly. She pulled out her cell phone and peeked at it. She didn’t know who to call, and she didn’t really know what she was upset about. She was happy, not having to be with Matt anymore, but upset that it had been such a big argument leading up to it. She was also upset that Matt was still back at her house, presumably destroying all her Backstreet Boys possessions.

She sighed and turned her car on again. Calling Nick wouldn’t be helpful at all, it would probably only worry him.

A few minutes later, Ashleigh was frantically ringing Joey’s doorbell. Eventually, her friend opened the door and Ashleigh collapsed into her arms, sobbing.

“Ash?” Joey asked, bringing her inside the house. “What’s wrong? Did something happen in Florida? I’ll kill Nick if he did something to you!” She said, sitting her down on the couch in her living room.

Ashleigh shook her head quickly. “No, Florida was great. I loved it.” She said, a slight smile creeping up on her face. “I broke up with Matt.” She said, starting to cry again.

“Oh, Ash.” Joey said, hugging her friend again. “I’m sorry. But it’s for the best, you know?”

Ashleigh nodded, wiping her eyes. “Yeah, I know. He went kind of crazy. He was wrecking all my Backstreet Boys stuff. He tore up my official book and broke my tapes.” She said with a little laugh.

“We can watch mine.” Joey offered, knowing that might help to cheer Ashleigh up. She’d always taken pride in her collection, even after she and Nick had split up.

“It’s not the same.” Ashleigh muttered. Strangely, she cared more about the fact that pieces of her childhood were being ripped to shreds, rather than ending her engagement.

Joey nodded knowingly. “I bet Nick can hook you up with some really cool stuff.”

Ashleigh laughed a little. She supposed Joey was right. Besides, she didn’t really need all that stuff anymore. “I guess.”

“Why don’t you give Nick a call? I’ll make some tea, and we can watch my old MTV tape.” Joey suggested.

Ashleigh nodded and as Joey stepped into the kitchen she dialed Nick’s number. It took a few rings before he answered, making Ashleigh feel a little guilty in the event that she had woken him up.

“Hello…” Nick answered.

“Hey.” Ashleigh said. “I just wanted to, um…let you know that I kind of broke up with Matt.”

“What?” Nick asked, waking up. “You broke up?” He repeated her, ecstatic. That was the final step in solidifying their relationship. “How’d it go?”

“Not so good.” Ashleigh admitted. “He freaked out and got really angry and broke a bunch of my stuff.” She said sadly.

“Where are you?” Nick asked, dismissing the fact that Ashleigh’s things had been ruined. He’d buy her new things if she needed them. All he wanted to know was that she was safe.

“I’m a Joey’s. I think I’ll stay here tonight.” She said.

“Do you want me to come up there?” He asked, worried about what might happen when she finally had to go home.

“No.” Ashleigh said, smiling a little. She’d definitely made the right choice. “I can’t ask you to fly all the way up here on a whim.”

“It’s not like I have anything else to do.” Nick reasoned. “I want to be there for you. I’ll help you get that guy out of your house.”

“Well, I would kind of like to see you.” Ashleigh admitted.

“I’ll buy a plane ticket and be there as soon as I can.” He said, feeling a little better. He didn’t know why he hadn’t gone back with her in the first place.

Ashleigh smiled. “Thanks, Nick.”

They talked for a few more minutes until Joey re-entered the room. Ashleigh quickly said her goodbyes to Nick, not wanting to annoy her best friend.

“So, I take it things went well with Nick?” Joey asked, handing Ashleigh a mug.

Ashleigh nodded, taking a sip. “Really well. I had so much fun. Florida is awesome, Joe.”

Joey laughed, happy to see that things had worked out for Ashleigh and Nick. She definitely deserved it after all she’d gone through.

After telling Joey all the juicy details about what had gone down in Florida, the two girls settled on the couch watching Joey’s tape from 1998. As they laughed at all the old interviews, Ashleigh couldn’t help but feel more hopeful about the future and things to come.
Chapter 25 by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Chapter 25

Joey sighed to herself as she walked up the stairs to Ashleigh’s room. They had been back home for just about a month now, and Ashleigh had been less than social. She had only gone to school because her mother was forcing her to, saying that too much was spent on tuition for it to be thrown away. However, Ashleigh hardly cared about school. She was completely and utterly heartbroken.

Joey knocked on Ashleigh’s bedroom door, and she could faintly hear the sound of music playing. Ashleigh didn’t answer. Joey knocked again, still there was no answer.

Reluctantly, she opened the door a crack. She could hear the music louder now, Ashleigh was listening to Backstreet Boys. Millennium to be exact. She was laying face down on her bed, her head buried in her pillow. She didn’t seem to notice the door open, and if she did, she didn’t say anything.

Joey looked around the room. The walls that had once been plastered with pictures of smiling pop stars were now back to their pale green colour. A couple of stray pieces of tape and sticky tac still adorned them, but that was all that was left of the once decorated wall space. In the corner of the room was a disheveled pile of pictures, some torn, but mostly just scattered about. It looked as though they had been taken down in a haste.

“Ash…” Joey started, closing the door and sitting down on the edge of the bed.

“I know what this song is about now.” Ashleigh muttered, not taking her head off the pillow. She was referring to track two off the Millennium album – I Want It That Way.

Joey didn’t really know what to say to that. “Oh?”

“It’s a conversation between two people. One of them wants to break up, the other one doesn’t. It’s a really sad song if you listen to it carefully.” Ashleigh explained, peeking up a little. Her face was red and tear stained.

“I think it’s up to your own interpretation.” Joey said, not wanting to upset Ashleigh further.

Ashleigh shook her head, and as the song ended she put her head back down. “This is such a depressing CD.”

Joey had to agree with her there. It must have been double heart wrenching for Ashleigh, considering the reason she was so upset. “Yes, it is.” She said, standing up to stop the music. “Luckily I brought something better.” She grinned, knowing what could cheer her friend up.

Ashleigh sat up upon hearing the familiar voices of the rival boyband. She even laughed a little “I guess they aren’t so bad.”

Joey grinned and sat back down beside Ashleigh. “Nothing, huh?”

Ashleigh shook her head. “Nothing.” She said bitterly. “Not a call, or a letter or anything. I tried calling his phone a few times, but I only got voicemail.” She said sadly.

“I’m sorry Ash.” Joey said sincerely. Part of her wanted to say “I told you so.” But Joey didn’t have the heart to do that.

“Whatever.” Ashleigh said quietly. “How could he do this to me, Joe?”

Joey shook her head, she wished she knew. “I don’t know.”

Ashleigh sighed, flopping back onto the bed, this time facing upwards. “It’s like, did I not even fucking matter to him at all? Was I just some dumb girl that really thought he loved me? Fuck.”

Joey bit her lip. Again, she knew better than to agree with what Ashleigh was saying.

Ashleigh continued to rant. “I was so stupid! I actually thought that he felt something for me too. He’s probably been with dozens of other girls since I’ve been gone, I bet he doesn’t even remember my name!”

“I’m sure he remembers your name, Ash.” Joey said, though it didn’t help any.

“Bullshit! Nick fucking Carter is too good to remember names of groupies. Screw him, I’m changing my favourite Backstreet Boy. It’s Howie now. Howie and I will get married, and Nick will come to the wedding, and he’ll realize what he lost, but it’ll be too late. Sorry buddy, I’m married to Howie now.” Ashleigh said bitterly, though she had a humorous tone to her voice. It was obvious she wasn’t serious about any of this.

Joey was glad to see that her friend’s dramatic sense of humour hadn’t faded through all of this. “You probably shouldn’t get married to Howie just to get back at Nick.” She advised.

Ashleigh smiled a little and glanced at her CD player. “You’re right. I’ll marry Justin Timberlake instead. That’ll really piss him off.”

Joey laughed. “Yeah…but then you’re married to Justin Timberlake.”

Ashleigh wrinkled her nose. “That is true.” She giggled, but quickly she turned serious again. “I’m sorry, Joe.”

“For what?” Joey asked, it shouldn’t be Ashleigh apologizing.

“For being such a horrible person. I totally ditched you all summer long, and for what? For some jerk that didn’t even give me a second thought once I was gone.” Ashleigh said. In the many hours she’d spent holed up in her room, she’d done a lot of thinking. She’d genuinely began to feel bad about how she’d treated her best friend all summer.

“It’s okay.” Joey said with a light smile. “I mean, I was kind of annoyed at first, but hey, you were with Nick Carter. I understood. Besides, I got to hang out with AJ and Howie while you guys were shacking up.”

Ashleigh smiled. “Thanks, Joe.” She said, sitting up a little more and giving her friend a tight hug. “It just really upsets me. I guess a part of me always thought I was going to meet Nick, and we were going to fall in love…and that would be it. That fantasy’s kind of ruined now.”

Joey nodded. “I know. But now maybe you can start to get over him.”

Ashleigh scoffed. “It was you who put those ideas in my head you know.”

Joey gave Ashleigh a strange look. Every crazy antic that Ashleigh had pulled during the tour had been her own idea. “What?”

Ashleigh laughed. “Remember when we were watching them on TRL? And I said ‘I wish I could marry him’ and you’re like ‘Well, someone has to marry him Ash. Why can’t it be you?’ Then from then on I always thought to myself, ‘Yeah! Why can’t it be me?’ Thanks a lot Joe.” She joked.

Joey cringed. She did remember saying that to Ashleigh. “Okay, you’ve got me there. But that was when we thought Nick was cool. Now we know he totally sucks.”

Ashleigh smiled at her friend. What would she have done without someone like that in her life? “Totally.” She said, agreeing with her. Nick really did suck. As much as Ashleigh was still heartbroken, she was beginning to feel as though she could move on with her life. Nick had hurt her terribly, but in the end she’d learned a valuable lesson – things aren’t always what they seem and people aren’t always what you perceive them to be. If Nick had been any other guy Ashleigh would have probably just rolled her eyes whenever she thought of him and called him a dick.

That was what she now planned to do from here on out. Nick Carter to her was now nothing more than some jerk that had taken her for granted and not given her the love she deserved.
Epilogue by Sakabelle
In Pieces
Epilogue

So, I lie awake another hour
Just like the one before

It was New Years Eve. Ashleigh and Nick were in attendance at a party that had been thrown by a friend of hers. As such, Nick had flown into Minneapolis that morning. He had been tired from the flight, but not too tired to enjoy a night with Ashleigh. As he mingled with the guests and got introduced to people, he couldn’t help but smile. Here he was with a girl he hadn’t given a second thought to six months ago. Now she was overly excited, but in a different way than he’d seen her in the past. She was happy to be with her friends, and eager to introduce them to her new boyfriend.

The shadows play a game with my head
I can’t take this anymore

“It’s a really funny story actually…” Ashleigh laughed, as yet another person asked how the two of them met. She slipped her arm around Nick’s waist, and gazed into his eyes. They’d only been together for a short time, and yet he’d consumed so much of her life. She didn’t even know where to start. She’d never thought that she’d see him ever again. She’d definitely thanked Joey time and time again for dragging her to the concert earlier that past summer.

I hear the sound of my own breathing
It makes me miss you more

Nick took a sip of his champagne as he noticed Ashleigh’s glass was empty. “I’ll fill that up for you, he said, taking the flute from her hand when she quickly nodded to him. Walking over to the drink table, he spied Joey standing quietly, surveying the room. “Hey.” He said as he began to fill Ashleigh’s glass.

“Hey.” She smiled back at him. Nick had pissed her off quite a bit, the way he’d come into Ashleigh’s life and intervened when things had finally started to get on track for her. Looking at her smiling friend now, she could no longer be angry with him. He’d done some good after all. “I’m glad you were able to come, Nick.” She said honestly.

Nick chuckled. “I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.” He replied.

Joey nodded. “You make her really happy, you know.”

Wake me up when it’s over
After the ending
When the damage is already done

Nick handed Ashleigh her re-filled glass and she quickly continued her story. “Do you remember that time that your bus broke down and we were stuck in the middle of nowhere?” She asked him, recalling a fond memory from the Black and Blue tour. Memories that she hadn’t dared to touch until now.

Nick laughed. “Man, that was really funny. See what happened was…”

Ashleigh smiled as Nick began to tell the story. He was so comfortable in any situation, a quality which she admired in him. He seemed to be genuinely having a good time talking to her friends, hearing stories about her as well as telling them.

I don’t wanna be somewhere
Where you can watch me as I breathe
Just leave me here in pieces…in pieces

“You guys are just too adorable.” One of her friends commented as the story finished. Ashleigh and Nick had been talking over each other and giggling over the other’s words. “Let me take a picture for you.” She said, pulling out her camera.

Ashleigh and Nick quickly set their drinks down on a nearby table and posed for the picture, which was sure to end up on Facebook the next day. Ashleigh grinned as Nick kissed her cheek. Simply put, she was in heaven. Before walking off to take another picture, Ashleigh’s friend touched her arm. “Good for you, Ash.” She said softly, with a smile on her face.

I can’t take the chance of running into
You running into me

Ashleigh looked up at Nick with a smile. She was glad that her friends seemed to like him, especially after she’d broken up with Matt whom they’d all seemed to love. Never had she felt so happy in her life. Everything was beginning to fall into place.

So lock the door and close the window
I just wanna sleep

Nick surveyed the room. Ashleigh certainly knew a wide array of people. He’d been introduced to so many people that night, it was hard to keep all of them straight. Most of them were friends of hers from University, a few of them were from High School. It seemed as though Ashleigh was able to get along with most anybody. Nick greatly admired and appreciated this quality in her.

Until the day inside my future
When I’ll be on my feet

“It’s two minutes until midnight!” Someone shouted, and Ashleigh glanced at the clock. Sure enough, it read 11:58. Nick quickly grabbed Ashleigh’s hand. “Get your coat.” He instructed. She gave him a puzzled look, but didn’t question him.

Wake me up when it’s over
After the ending
When the damage is already done

Ashleigh and Nick stepped outside and were met with a wall of cold air. The street was dead, as everyone was inside watching the clock. Nick turned to Ashleigh and kissed her lightly. “I wanted this moment to be ours.” He grinned, looking up at the sky. Earlier that day, Ashleigh had explained that there would be fireworks going off at midnight, which they would probably be able to see from the house.

I don’t wanna be somewhere
Where you can watch me as I breathe
Just leave me here in pieces…in pieces

Sure enough, as everyone in the house yelled “Happy New Year!” (Which Nick and Ashleigh could faintly hear) the first of many fireworks went off. Nick kissed Ashleigh deeply as they stood at the edge of the sidewalk. “Happy new year, Ash.” He whispered.

If you want you can find me on the dark side of the sun
Babe, I don’t wanna see what we’ve become
The damage is already done

“Happy new year, Nick.” She said quietly, not caring that her bare legs were turning to ice. She wanted this moment with him to last forever. His blue eyes pierced hers, looking at her with so much happiness.

Wake me up when it’s over
After the ending
When the damage is already done

Nick softly touched her face. After all these years, he’d never thought that she would be able to capture his heart. It was time to tell her.

“I love you, Ash.”

I don’t wanna be somewhere
Where you can watch me as I breathe
Just leave me here in pieces…in pieces

Ashleigh nearly melted at his words. Words she’d dreamt of hearing since she was fourteen years old, which held more meaning than she’d ever thought possible. Finally, she was really and truly, his.

“I love you too, Nick.”

So wake me up when it’s over

The two of them kissed, both oblivious to the cold, lost in a world that was completely their own.

Just wake me up when it’s over…
Author's Note & Thank Yous! by Sakabelle
I can’t believe it’s finished. Yikes!! “In Pieces” marks the first ever multi-chapter Backstreet Boys story I’ve ever finished. (What Becomes of The Broken Hearted was the first ever multi chapter story I finished, but it was Aaron Carter mostly. I’ll Always Be Right There was the first ever BSB story I finished… but it was God awful, and not split into chapters and yeah…bad.)

It’s hard to believe I managed to finish this. I’m pretty impressed lol, I usually start projects and never finish them. (Case in point – Not Like We Predicted. It’s been nearly eight years for that thing, and it’s nowhere close to ever being done.)

I have all of you to thank for this. You guys are wonderful, I love each and every one of you. You guys kept me motivated, even when Ashleigh and Nick made me want to rip my hair out. You guys rock my socks to the extreme. Seriously. I never would have expected this story to get the response that it did. Thank you. Every time I saw a new review it made me smile. I tried my best to reply to all of you as quickly and as thoroughly as I could. Should I give shout outs? Sure! Just cause you guys are super special awesome.

Blueleeryan – Your quick reviews always made me smile. I was always so surprised at how fast they showed up! Thank you!

Chaotic – I’m really glad you liked it! Thanks for reviewing!

DaniGiggles – You rock dude! When I saw you liked my story I was super giddy since I think you’re an amazing author. Thanks for always reviewing!!

Anita – Thanks for reading, I’m glad you liked it!

Jamia – Thanks so much for reading!

Kim – Thanks for always reading and reviewing!

Kris – Thanks for reading! I’m glad you liked my writing style!

Sarahmarie0727 – Thanks for your detailed reviews. They always made me happy!

Mellz Bellz – Another one of my favourite authors. Thanks for reading hun!

Jamanda – Your enthusiasm towards the characters always made me happy. It was very inspiring, thanks!

Mary – Thank you for always reading and reviewing! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Brandy_d – I’m glad you liked this! Thanks for reading!!

princessjillrose – Thanks for reviewing, I hope you enjoyed the rest!

Jennifer – I’m really glad you’re liking this. Thank you for you reviews!

I think that’s everyone…I went through my reviews page twice lol. If I missed anyone I’m sorry! You guys are all great!

I should also thank all the wonderful regulars who are on the AC message board. You guys also rock! Seeing how passionate all of you are really helped to inspire me to finish this. So thank you guys, you’re all good friends. *Hugs* You’re such a crazy bunch, I love it.

I’m going to ramble a bit more…

This really has been an adventure for me. I’ll tell you a little bit about it now… this idea really just came to me on the fly. I was walking to school listening to music, and it just popped into my head. I thought it might be something fun and interesting to try, so I went with it.

But it wasn’t without it’s problems. I decided pretty early on (I think after I posted the prologue) that I wanted to have alternating chapters between past and present. This meant I had to map out every single chapter of my story. That was an experience in itself. But it worked out really well and helped me to keep the story on track.

I’ll tell you a funny secret. They weren’t supposed to get together in the end. My original outline had 17 chapters. They were supposed to go to dinner, sleep together and Ashleigh was supposed to never call him. Cruel irony at it’s finest. It was supposed to be closure for her, and show Nick that he isn’t perfect and can’t get every girl he wants.

I started to change my mind around while I was writing the part where Ashleigh ends up in his hotel room. Ashleigh and Nick really started to take over the story, and I ended up having to change things. It didn’t feel right to have them not together. In the beginning, it sounded kind of lame to have them end up together, after all, they hardly knew each other! But, I feel that this ending worked better than her just sleeping with him one last time and it being over with. I couldn’t allow that, and obviously, Nick couldn’t allow that either. So it needed to be changed, and as such needed to be lengthened. This is why there are so many…filler past sequences. I hope what the past lacks I made up for in the present.

The trip to Florida was something I thought up a little after deciding to have them get together. So again, the outline had to be changed. Boy, they pissed me off, doing things that caused me to change my outline! In the end, I’m happy with how it turned out. I guess that’s all that matters :)

What else do I have to say? Oh yes, the cheesy song at the end. It was pretty cheesy to use “In Pieces” wasn’t it? It’s okay, I know it was :P I named the story In Pieces before I actually carefully listened to the song. When I did, I was surprised at how well it fit (in my mind anyway) It seemed to be a good choice for the end, since this story is a happy one, as well as a sad one. So I thought, happy scene, sad song… yeah. I thought it was a good idea. *shrug*

So yeah… that’s it! What should I do now? Maybe finish one of the other million stories I have in progress, or try to make something out of “Left and Leaving”?

Or write a sequel to this? I’ve been thinking about it for a while and I’ve got a couple of ideas. Perhaps I’ll write a sequel, I don’t know if I’m quite ready to let Ashleigh and Nick go. :)

Regardless, I’m really happy right now. Again, it’s because of you guys and your awesome support. Without you, I probably would have given up on this long ago. Thank you all!

xoxoxoxo Saka
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8805