Obscure Feelings by arokaholic
Summary:

*The sequel to Obscure Smiles*

All he wanted was to be the best father he could be to his daughter but sometimes things go differently than planned and you can only do the best you can. Follow AJ and Adelynn on their journey through life.



Yet again, this was the sequel to Obscure Smiles, and while I don't think it's my best writing by far (I think it's definitely better than Obscure Smiles though)... it still holds a special place in my heart and a lot of people seemed to enjoy it. This was written in 2005


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: No Word count: 32867 Read: 64644 Published: 03/25/08 Updated: 06/17/08
Chapter 8 by arokaholic
"Daddy?" I heard a little voice and I opened my eyes.

"Yes?"

"Why are you sleeping?" she pointed out the window, "Look, the sun is still out."

I laughed, "I wasn't sleeping, baby.. just resting my eyes."

"Oh," she frowned.

She looked upset, and I wasn't sure why. She had been up in her room playing, but not for too long. I had only been laying on the couch for about 15 minutes.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" I opened my arms for her and she crawled in my lap.

"How come I don't have a mommy?" she looked into my eyes and about killed me. My heart ached for her. I saw myself in her eyes, when I would ask my mother why I didn't have a father.

What was the easiest way for her to understand this? Oh, shit, nothin' was easy. I had been dreading this question since she was born.

"Your mommy wasn't as grown-up as daddy and she didn't want to have a baby."

No, no, no. McLean, you've done it now, you've told your child she was unwanted. Oh, fuck.

"Mommy loved you very much."

I cringed inside. She didn't love her and she never had. She had kidnapped her, for God's sake. I had to lie, I had to lie to my daughter. I couldn't hurt her anymore than she had been hurt.

"What did Mommy look like?" she asked me.

The thing was... I didn't really know her mom. I never knew Claire. I don't have much to tell her, and I don't think I have anything to show her.

Wait, yes I do. The picture from the hospital, from the day she was born.

"When did you start thinking of mommy?" I asked her. I was curious what sparked this question in the first place.

"Because the girls on TV have mommy's."

I sighed, "You know what?"

"What?" she looked up at me with curiousity.

"I never had a Daddy."

Her eyes opened wide, "You didn't?"

"Nope," I replied, "All I had was my mommy, who's your grandma."

"So your daddy didn't make you PB&J's like you make me?"

The question made me laugh because she was so serious. But it also made me sad... I was really proud that I had done so much more than my own father had done.

"No, my daddy didn't make me PB&J's like I make you," I grinned at her and pinched her nose, "I love you, baby."

"Will you play Barbie's with me?" she asked.

I smiled, "If I must."

I wasn't the greatest candidate for playing Barbies, doing her hair, or girly stuff but I tried my best.

She started to crawl back out of my lap but I grabbed her back and kissed her cheek, "Do you know why your so special?"

She giggled and replied, "Because I get a cool Daddy!"

I smiled at her, "Good answer. Your special because you mean everything to your daddy, and I couldn't live without you."

"Love you, DaDa," she started to crawl off my lap again, "Can we pweease play Barbies now?"

I laughed, "Of course."

As I watched her play Barbies, I realized how smart she really was. I know it was an odd time to find out her intelligence but she made these dools talk like real adults. My baby really knew more than I thought.

I hated her not knowing who her mother was. It killed me because I never wanted for my kid to have to go through what I went through. My whole life I promised myself that. But I did my duty, it's just her mother didn't. I sighed.

"Daddy, your not playing!" she shoved the doll in my face and I took it from her.

"Sorry," I replied, and snapped out of my thoughts.

I just shook my head to myself and smiled. I could smile 'cuz I knew she was going to turn out fine. When she gets a little older, I'll tell her the real story but not now. Or anytime soon.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8913