In the Blink of an Eye by BlaqkAudio
Summary: When Nick's son's body is taken over by an evil spirit, he had time against him as he tries to save himself.

*APRIL CHALLENGE STORY**
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Angst, Drama, Horror, Suspense
Warnings: Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 917 Read: 846 Published: 04/22/08 Updated: 04/22/08
Story Notes:
APRIL CHALLENGE STORY

1. In the Blink of an Eye by BlaqkAudio

In the Blink of an Eye by BlaqkAudio
As I gazed at my once perfect child as he stood before me holding a sharp, jagged knife in his tiny seven year old hand, I knew that I would never have my son back. Not the son that I had raised since he was an infant. I backed away, breathing becoming forced and heavy, and I could see Tyler coming at me, cornering me. The knife became higher in the air, as he prepared himself to take the lunge, plunging the blade deep within my flesh. I winced, feeling the agony without anything even happening yet.

“Ty…please, don’t…” I tried again, although I knew that my pleas were useless, “Put the knife down…”

“No, daddy…” Ty smirked, although I knew it really wasn’t my son talking. He showed a toothy grin full of evil, his eyes glimmering, a sinister look shining within them, “I can’t do that. I have to kill you…”

A single tear slid down my cheek. What had happened to cause all of this? What had caused this evil spirit of a dead man to take over my son’s body? More yet, why my son? He had been so innocent, with an entire life to look forward to. I knew that that boy was gone forever. From the second I looked into those dark, soulless eyes, my fatherly instinct just knew This person was out to murder me. The only way to save myself was to kill the spirit, and in return, also killing my only child. Even though I knew that Tyler was already gone, it still seemed so wrong.

Thinking back on all of the events that could have led up to Tyler perishing, nothing came to mind. Nothing at all, leaving me with an empty feeling all around. I couldn’t think of a single thing that either of us had done to deserve this. All I could question within my own mind was if my son had felt any pain when this spirit had taken over his being.

My thoughts were cut short though when I found the evil force standing directly above me now, finding myself cornered against the wall. He was so close that I could feel his breath in my face, coming out almost in an ice form. I could smell his sweat, see it beading upon his skin, along with a small cut above his left eye, the blood trickling down his temple.

“Tyler…” I cried out, trying to think fast on how to keep him back for a moment longer while I collected my thoughts, trying to decide how I was going to rid of this once and for all, “Don’t do this…”

“You’re going to join mommy…” the child who had once been mine seethed.

I winced at this, picturing a gruesome image of my dead wife upstairs. Tyler’s possessed body had already taken her away from me. I could still hear her cries for help as the knife thrust into her chest. I could still hear her gurgle her last words just as her body went lifeless.

“Nick…run…”

I didn’t have time to stop and process her words, or even to grieve. I’d heard a creak in the floorboards behind me. As I whipped around, that was when I realized just how horrible the situation had become. Terrified beyond belief, I did the only thing I could think of. Just like my Ericka had told me to, I ran for my life with Tyler’s high energy little body close on my heels.

Which led me to that moment. With the knife inches from my throat, I did the only thing I could think of at the moment. I dove for Tyler, knocking him over. I could feel the blade slice into my shoulder. As I cried out in agony, I attempted to secure the child’s hands above his head. He struggled against my weight, his force much stronger than it should have been. I could feel the jagged edge piercing my skin again, only in my leg this time. I yelped, feeling an overpowering instinct to grip my leg, but knew that if I wanted any change, I would have to keep fighting.

Shoving Tyler with force, I knocked him over again, his head hitting the ground hard. Hard enough to cause a small pool of red to start forming around him. Dazed, he groaned, the knife lying loosely within his hand. Without a second thought, I grabbed for it, clutching the weapon within my hand. I could feel myself shaking fiercely.

“What…are you…doing?” Tyler rasped, struggling to sit up.

“Making sure you don’t hurt anybody else…” I choked out, but unable to do anything about it. Not until Tyler got up quickly, his energy recharged. As he took a leap towards me, I held the knife out, digging it deep into his heart, “I’m sorry…”

Tyler’s eyes widened in shock before he fell to the ground, his beautiful blues rolling into the back of his head. I watched his chest rise and fall forcefully one last time. He was gone. The nightmare was over. Slumping against the ground, I breathed out a huge sigh of relief, yet was filled with grief. In the blink of an eye I had lost my family. With that thought in mind, I just pulled Tyler into my lap and clung to his limp, dead body and wept.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8960