Childish Dreamer by LenniluvsBrian
Summary: Nick's one sister, the most childish of the bunch, has a secret - a secret she's managed to keep from her siblings up until now.....
Categories: Fanfiction > TV Series > Touched by an Angel, Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Monica, Nick, Other, Tess
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama
Warnings: Sexual Assault/Rape
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 5867 Read: 4074 Published: 05/10/08 Updated: 06/05/08
Story Notes:
This is based on a few dreams I had....

1. Prologue by LenniluvsBrian

2. Pool Party by LenniluvsBrian

3. Years Ago..... by LenniluvsBrian

Prologue by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

Okay, I started yet another new fic. I kept dreaming this idea up in my sleep, so I decided I had best get it written down. I've started chapter one somewhat, but I can't guarantee it'll be posted within the next couple days - maybe, if I'm lucky, in the next week. I'm working lots this coming week & going away next weekend. :) So, anyway, as I force myself to quit rambling, here's my new fic! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Leona, & story idea. The Carters own themselves. Thank-you!

Note: Though Leona is fifteen, she'll be acting younger - hence the story title - lol.

Leona Evelyn Carter was walking home by herself after dark. She’d gone to the arcade with a couple of friends and was now headed home to spend the evening with her two brothers and three sisters. At fifteen she was the youngest of her dysfunctional family. Her parents had split, leaving her and her other under-aged siblings with their eldest brother, Nick. She’d shoulder length brown hair, with blond and red highlights in it and she stood about five feet two inches.

 

“Nicky’s gonna kill me for not calling him,” she told herself, shaking her head. “But I need time to myself every now and then, and I won’t get it once home, as everyone always seems to just barge on into my room.”

 

“Talking to yourself, are you?” A voice commented dryly from the darkness.

 

Leona’s head snapped up, as she looked around frantically. “Whose there?”

 

“Someone who thinks you’re stupid to be walking alone after dark in this town,” the voice answered, as the person reached out to grab hold of her. “You scream and I’ll kill you, got it?”

 

Leona nodded silently, her eyes wide with fright. “What-what do you want?” She managed to ask after a moment.

 

“Something I’m sure you’re not willingly going to give me,” the voice in the dark replied huskily.

 

Leona struggled with him then, upon realizing just what he meant, and seeing that he was leading her into a dark alley. “Let me go!” She hissed panicking, as she was dragged further and further into the alley.

 

“Not until I’ve gotten what I wanted,” was the reply she received.

 

Leona struggled with all her might, though not very strong she was determined to get away – but, alas, not even her determination could stop this evil person from getting what they wanted from her. She cried and squirmed quite a bit, though that only got her blows to her face and a few other areas she’d rather not mention. She lie there sobbing, wishing with all her might for one of her brothers to come looking for her, and stop this evil man from doing what he was about to do. She gave a small, shrill cry of pain as she felt him enter her, and knew now that her struggles had been futile – he had gotten what he’d wanted from her after all, and she could do nothing to stop him, though she had tried her damnedest.

 

Eventually, the man got up and glowered at her. “You breathe a word of this to anyone, and I will come back and kill you!” He threatened, as he zipped his pants back up once more.

 

Leona nodded tearfully, as she lie there, a blubbering and bloody mess. Once she was sure he was gone, she slowly began to pick herself up, deciding she’d never breathe a word of this to her siblings. She felt like such an idiot for letting this happen and for being stupid enough to walk home alone after dark, despite Nick having had told her numerous times not to do so. She continued on her trek, though painfully now, a must in order to get home – she’d stupidly forgotten her cell in her room in her haste to get to the arcade.

 

Thirty minutes later, she finally limped through their front gate, tears still streaming down her face from the pain. She’d gotten about halfway across the yard, when the front door suddenly flew open.

 

“Where in God’s name have you been, Young Lady?!?!” Nick demanded, coming out to tell her off. He’d gotten a call from her friends asking if she was home yet, and he was none too happy to discover she’d decided to walk home alone. He paused, midst his lecture as he noticed her limping. “What’s wrong?”

 

Nicky,” Leona whimpered as she stumbled a bit.

 

Nick moved quickly to help her, as he knew that tone of voice all too well by now. He frowned when he realized just how beat up she was, and that her lip was bleeding. “Leona, what happened?” He asked, as he helped her on into the house, leading her to the bathroom so he could fix her up.

 

Leona gulped, as she tried to think of what to tell him. It had to be logical, but it could not be the full truth. “I got beat up, she answered.

 

“Well, that much is obvious,” Nick commented. “But by who?”

 

“I-I don’t know,” Leona replied softly, relieved she was still telling him the truth. She could never lie to him, and every time she tried too, she got caught.

 

“Was it more than one person?” Nick questioned, as he made her sit down upon the toilet seat lid that he’d put down. He then went about getting a face cloth, so he could clean her cuts.

 

“I-It was some-some kids from school,” Leona lied, knowing if she said just one guy her brother would demand to know if he did anything sexual to her. “I-I kinda made some people mad…”

 

“Then give me their names so that they can be charged with assault,” Nick stated, as he firmly pressed the cloth to her bleeding lip.

 

Leona winced. “No. That’ll just cause me more trouble. I can stand up for myself.”

 

“Leona,” Nick began, only to be cut off.

 

No, Nicky,” Leona insisted. “Just let it be. If Aaron can get into a fist fight and nobody gets charged, then I should be able to do the same.”

 

“This wasn’t just a fist fight,” Nick argued. “You were purposely jumped when they knew you were alone. This was well thought out beforehand.”

 

“I’ll be fine, I promise,” Leona assured him, though she wasn’t so sure about that herself.

 

“But-” Nick protested.

 

“Nicky, I’ll be okay,” Leona replied, giving him the best puppy-dog look she could at the moment. “I just want to shower and crawl into my pajamas, okay?”

 

“Fine,” Nick sighed heavily, then gave her a stern look. “You are to never walk home alone after dark again! You hear me, Leona?”

 

“Kind of hard not to, when you’re right in my face,” Leona quipped, giving him a small smile, despite how she truly felt. She’d learn to mask her feelings at a young age – even when she wasn’t happy, she still managed to act it, not wanting to worry anyone.

 

“Don’t sass me,” Nick replied, though a smirk tugged at the corners of his mouth. “Promise me you won’t walk home alone after dark ever again.”

 

Promise,” Leona said, meaning it more than ever. If only her brother knew what had really happened – but she couldn’t tell him! She just couldn’t!

 

“Alright,” Nick replied. “I’ll be downstairs if you need me.”

 

Leona tried not to flinch as her brother kissed her forehead. She knew he wouldn’t hurt her – not ever – but because of that evil man, she was quite shaken up. Soon as her brother had left the bathroom, she left as well to go fetch her pajamas, returning moments later. She ran the taps, making the water hot as she dared, not wanting to scald herself – no matter how dirty she truly felt at that moment. Once it was hot enough to her liking, she climbed on in, letting the rest of her tears fall – she’d pushed them back before, as to not worry her brother anymore than he already was. She scrubbed her body like she had never scrubbed before – she scrubbed and scrubbed until the water was cold and her skin red and irritated.

 

“How could I let Nicky touch someone so filthy?” She thought to herself as she dried off. “Why didn’t I wash more? So what if the water’s cold? Dammit, I need to wash!”

 

She was about to climb back in again, when there was suddenly a knock on the door. “Yeah?” She called out warily.

 

“Hey, you almost done?” Leslie’s voice answered. “I wanna take a shower – unless you used up all the hot water.”

 

“Um…I used it all,” Leona admitted sheepishly through the closed door. “Sorry.”

“S’alright. I can wait a little while longer,” Leslie replied. “You wanna watch a movie when you come out? We’re all going to watch Sanctuary or Shattered Trust: The Shari Karney Story both starring Melissa Gilbert.”

 

“Um…yeah….sure,” Leona replied, sounding a bit unsure.

 

“You okay Leo-Lee?” Leslie queried, using the nickname they’d given Leona years ago. “Nick said you got beat up.”

 

“I’m okay,” Leona managed to state, as she began to dry herself off with the fluffy blue towel she’d wrapped around herself. “Just – daydreaming, is all.”

 

“Well, I’m gonna wait for you, so don’t daydream too long,” Leslie teased. “Air-Boy’s making some popcorn under Angel’s supervision – between the two, we should get something decent enough to eat.”

 

Leona gave a small laugh, as she knew how Aaron liked to burn popcorn to get on everybody’s nerves, as it stunk up the house horribly. Once dry, she opened the door and stepped out of the bathroom after hanging her towel up on the one rack.

 

“Alright, I’m ready,” she told her favourite sister. She hated to admit she’d a favourite, but she and Leslie had always been rather close. They just seemed to understand one another better, and knew when to back off and give the other space when necessary.

 

Leslie smirked upon seeing Leona step out of the bathroom. “You and those crazy footie-pajamas,” she laughed. “I still can’t believe Nickers had them specially made for you.”

 

“So I like to keep my feet warm and wear Chipmunks pajamas, big deal,” Leona shrugged, moving to step inside her bedroom and grab hold of something that lie atop her bed.

 

Leslie raised her eyebrows upon seeing just what it was her sister had grabbed. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“Yeah, why?” Leona asked, hugging to her chest what she had grabbed.

 

“It’s not often you decide to carry Simon around the house,” Leslie pointed out, gesturing to the stuffed Chipmunk in her sister’s arms. “You usually only do that during thunder storms.”

 

Leona shrugged, as they began to descend the stairs. “Yeah, well, I did get jumped and all….”

 

“Yeah….” Leslie trailed off as well. “I guess that’s reason enough to need him….”

 

Once Leona and Leslie had made it down to the living room, they all decided to watch Shattered Trust: The Shari Karney Story. The movie was all about incest, and rape and such, but they were all intrigued to find out how it ended – all but Leona.

 

As her siblings all settled in various places to watch the movie, Leona stood watching them all, not sure where to sit. She usually sat with Nick or Aaron, but she still felt dirty, and she didn’t want her filth to rub off on them – it was bad enough it was rubbing off on her beloved stuffed Chipmunk.

 

“C’mere, Hunny,” Nick told her, patting the spot next to him. He knew his baby sister well enough to know that she only carried Simon around when scared, and when scared she loved to snuggle with either him or Aaron.

 

“I-I can’t,” Leona protested. “I just – I can’t.”

 

“Why not?” Nick asked, looking and sounding confused, as the others looked at her oddly too.

 

“I’m…” Leona trailed off, deciding she’d best not tell them she was dirty, or they’d know for sure that something else had happened. “I’m being dumb….”

 

Aaron laughed, shaking his head. “Dumb is Nick admitting he’s still afraid of Gremlins.”

 

“Nicky’s not dumb!” Leona snapped somewhat, feeling protective of their eldest brother like always. “Gremlins are scary!”

 

“C’mon, Leo-Lee, take a seat already,” Angel whined somewhat. “We want to start the movie!”

 

Leona swallowed hard, hoping no one else would notice how nervous and uncomfortable she felt about sitting with one of their brothers. She slowly made her way over to the couch, and sat next to Nick, though she didn’t dare lean on him.

 

“What’s with you?” Nick asked, raising his eyebrows. “I got cooties or something now? C’mere.”

 

Aaron snickered. “I can just imagine all the cooties you have, Nick.”

 

“Shut-up Aaron,” Nick replied, flipping the younger boy the bird.

 

“Cooties were, like, the second grade, Nick,” Angel added, shaking her head.

 

“Well, that’s just Nick for you,” B.J. smirked. “He still thinks we are in the second grade.”

 

Leona eyed Nick out of the corner of her eye, and figured she’d best do as told, or the others were going to become highly suspicious. Especially since they all knew her too well when it came to how much she loved Nick – Aaron too.

 

Nick smiled and wrapped his arm about her, once she’d finally snuggled into him. “There, that’s better,” he said, hugging her close and kissing the top of her head. “Start the movie, Beej.”

 

The movie started, and before it even had a chance to get interesting, Leona was fast asleep snuggled up against Nick, in the safety of his loving arms.

Pool Party by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

Hey y'all!!! I finally managed to get this one done, & I've a paragraph written for chapter two - no promises on when chapter two will be posted though - lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Leona, & story idea. Carters, & BSB own themselves. Tess. & Monica are owned by whoever created Touched By an Angel. Thank-you!

“Aha! Aaron! That tickles!” Leona’s voice rang out, as she squirmed in her brother’s arms. She’d dropped an ice cube down the back of his shirt, and he was now currently seeking revenge. It had been two months since Leona had been ‘jumped’ and the Carters’ were in the midst of having a massive pool party.

 

“Serves you right for dropping that ice cube down my shirt!” Aaron exclaimed, laughing. “It was frigin’ cold, Leo-Lee!”

 

“That was the whole point, Air-Head!” Leona laughed, still trying to escape her brother’s tickling fingers. “Besides, I had to prank somebody!”

 

“Well, next time ask me to help you with a prank, instead of playing one on me!” Aaron smirked, finally releasing her from his grasp. “We could totally come up with a good one to play on Nick.”

 

Leona giggled some more, as she kissed his cheek. “Next time, Dude.”

 

“Good,” Aaron stated. “Because we haven’t pulled one over on him in months!”

 

“Yeah….” Leona nodded, though silently thinking she’d pulled the wool over Nick’s eyes quite nicely, seeing as he still didn’t know about her rape two months previous. “It’s been a while….”

 

“Ooh! Food’s here!” Aaron cheered. “Catch yah later, Sis!”

 

Leona watched as her brother hurried off to the pizza that had just arrived for their party. Leave it to her brothers and their friends to just have some greasy pizza at a party, instead of hiring someone to cater or something expensive and lavish like that – though, fifty boxes of pizza were pretty expensive.

 

“Lost in thought, are we?” A voice rasped behind her then, causing her to jump about three feet and whirl about in surprise.

 

A.J.!” Leona gasped, her right hand pressed to her chest as she tried to calm herself – he’d scared her half to death!

 

“Whoa there, Kitten,” A.J. replied, giving her an odd look. “Where’s the jumping marathon at?”

 

“You’d jump too if someone snuck up on you like that!” Leona snapped, as she slowly got her breathing under control. “Damn!”

 

“I called out your name while I was coming over,” A.J. stated. “Didn’t you hear me?”

 

“Obviously not!” Leona exclaimed. “Who can hear anything over all this music?”

 

“Your just made your brother wouldn’t let you blast our albums through the speakers,” A.J. commented with a smirk. “And that he told you no way in Hell were you playing Alvin and the Chipmunks.”

 

Screw you,” Leona growled, suddenly very moody – she’d been getting in moods off and on ever since the rape.

 

“Oh, you wish,” A.J. laughed, teasing her like he usually did.

 

“I do not!” Leona glared at him, as she stomped her one foot.

 

A.J. rolled his eyes. “Kitten, if you’re going to act like you’re five, then I’d suggest you go hide out in your room, until you’re ready to act your age.”

 

You are not my boss!” Leona shouted, causing a few people close enough to hear look their way. “And how would you know how fifteen-year-old girls act, huh? Why? Have you been one before or something?”

 

A.J. narrowed his eyes, as he eyed her suspiciously. “You know, I’d ask what the Hell has gotten into you these last couple months, if I thought I wouldn’t get my frigin’ head chewed off. So, go and enjoy yourself and be a Brat all you want, because I’m here to have fun and not deal with your stupid little tantrums.”

 

Leona’s eyes filled with tears, as she figured him to be calling her stupid. “Go fuck a tree, A.J.”

 

“If it’s nice tits and legs, fine,” A.J. shot-back, moving away from the moody teenager.

 

Leona watched him walk away, and immediately felt bad. She couldn’t help how she was now – it wasn’t entirely her fault she’d been raped – or was it? She didn’t know anymore. She heaved a sigh, as she blinked back her unwanted tears.

 

“You alright, Baby?” A gentle voice asked, causing her to jump once more.

 

“What is with people sneaking up on me today?” Leona snapped somewhat. “And I’m fine, Tess.”

 

“Well, you don’t seem fine to me,” Tess replied. She had come to stay with the Carters as their therapist, as Nick thought them all to still have deep issues with their parents’ departure two years beforehand. She offered to move in and observe them all, so she could get a feel of just what was wrong – though, she stayed out in the guest house as to give the family some privacy. If only they knew just who she really was. She knew things – more than the Carters knew she did – but she had to act as though she didn’t. So even though she knew what Leona’s problem was, now was still not the time for her to come out and let that fact be known.

 

“Hey ladies,” Nick smiled as he came over to join them. “Enjoying the party?”

 

“Well, I would be if people quit sneaking up on me!” Leona growled angrily, then continued before her brother could speak. “It’s not my fault I am such an easy target!”

 

Nick eyed his youngest sister a moment, sensing there to be much more behind her last statement than there appeared to be. “Well, why don’t you hang out with me for a bit then, and I can scare all those people off?”

 

Leona looked up at him, feeling emotional once more. “You’d do that for me, Nicky?”

 

“Of course, Leo-Lee!” Nick exclaimed, looking shocked she even had to ask him that. “Haven’t I always?”

 

“Yeah…” Leona trailed off, as she thought to herself, “Just not when it really mattered most.”

 

“C’mon,” Nick said, draping his one arm over her shoulder, not noticing her flinch slightly from contact. “You look like you could use some food, so let’s grab some pizza before it’s all gone.”

 

“You know, for the amount you spend on pizza, you could’ve just hired a caterer,” Leona pointed out. “Then you might’ve gotten more food.”

 

“Oh, we’ve hot dogs and hamburgers for later on, if we need a snack – no worries,” Nick winked. “It’s a barbecue Leo-Lee, not Oprah’s book club gathering.”

Leona shrugged, as her brother led her off to where the pizza was at – she was hungry, but that was beside the point. He’d wasted a whole load of money on pizza – though, it was his money to spend however he saw fit. And it wasn’t like he was going to be poor anytime soon either, so really she’d nothing to worry about.

Tess watched them go, shaking her head. “That child is going to have to learn how to deal with her problems soon, rather than trying to keep them buried within. Especially the new one I know she is keeping now.”

“Why won’t she tell her family, Tess?” Monica, Tess’ secretary, asked as she came to stand next to her. “Wouldn’t they help her out?”

“She doesn’t want to let them down. She’s scared if she tells them, she won’t be treated like the same as she is now anymore,” Tess explained. “She’s also scared of them being angry with her for keeping secrets and not telling them in the first place. But, the child doesn’t realize, no matter when or how she tells them, someone is still going to be hurt and angry. There’s just no avoiding it.”

 

“The poor dear,” Monica sympathized. “She’s been through so much, and has been dealing with it all alone.”

“She’s not all alone, she still has someone looking out for her,” Tess replied, casting Monica a look.

“Yes, but to her Tess, she is all alone in this,” Monica pointed out, as she nodded towards where Leona was standing with her eldest brother. “She seems to think that unless her family is the one by her side, that she is alone. Without her siblings, I believe her to be lost in the mess that has befallen her.”

“That may be so, but one of these days, she is going to have to wake up and realize if she wants their help, she has to be able to confide in them,” Tess argued. “And until she’s able to do that, I don’t think she will ever feel safe again.”

“Why doesn’t she trust them enough to confide in?” Monica wanted to know. “She seems to trust them enough with her life, but not enough to share her darkest secrets with.”

“Their parents did a lot of damage, before giving the younger ones to Nick. They did and said things, that Nick isn’t even aware of,” Tess replied. “All he knew was that he had to get his siblings out of the house full of lies, and it ended up working out for him, as his parents just dropped his siblings off one day and never came back. Turned out, they’d signed their rights to the younger ones away, leaving their brother with sole custody.”

Monica nodded, letting all of what she’d just been told sink in. It was a little strange to be working with a famous family, though not uncommon in their line of work. But she knew they needed their help – especially with what was to come.

Leona looked around, as she stood next to Nick, munching on a slice of extra cheese pizza. She had to admit, she did feel much safer when with her eldest brother – but how safe would she feel if he were to ever find out about the two huge secrets she’d been keeping from him? He hadn’t spanked her since she was nine, and that was only because she’d scared him half to death by disappearing on him when she really shouldn’t have. Would he dare strike her bottom now? She sure as hell hoped not!

Years Ago..... by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

Well, whatta yanno, inspiration finally hit me once more! I've even started chapter 3 - though, when that'll be posted, I've no idea. I'd write more tonight, but it's time for bed, if I am to stay awake at work at all tomorrow - lol. Well, Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Leona, CD store clerk, & story idea. Carters & BSB own themselves. The Creators of Touched By An Angel own Tess & Monica. Thank-you!

Flashback….

“Look Nicky!” Leona exclaimed, pointing to a puppy in the pet store window. “Do you think Mommy an’ Daddy would let us have him??”

“I don’t think so, Kiddo,” Nick sighed, as she asked him that question every time they walked past a pet store that had a puppy in the front window on display. “You know how they feel about that.”

“But we’re responsible, Nicky! I’d take really, really, really good care of him! I swear!” Leona insisted.

“I know you would, Leo-Lee,” Nick assured her. “But it’s not up to me, remember? It’s up to Mom and Dad. But, if it were up to me, you’d have one in a heartbeat.”

“Why can’t it be up to you, Nicky? What’re they gonna do if we just buy one? Return him?”

“One can only hope they’re decent enough to do that,” Nick thought to himself silently. “Hunny, I don’t know. But I do know they’d be mighty peeved, and I’d rather not make them that way. They argue enough as it is.”

“But that’s not fair, Nicky,” Leona argued. “We’d all look after him! I’d even clean up his poop!”

“You say that now,” Nick chuckled. “But when the time actually comes, I know you wouldn’t. you’d be standing there throwing a fit and demanding Aaron or Angel or somebody else does it instead.”

“I would not!” Leona protested, stomping her foot ever so slightly.

“See?” Nick laughed, reaching out to grab hold of her and tickle her sides.

Leona squealed, as she began to giggle uncontrollably. “Nicky! That tickles!”

“Well, I’d sure hope so!” Nick replied, scooping her up into his arms as they continued their trek though the mall.

Leona giggled a little longer, before resting her head upon his shoulder. “Nicky, where are we going?”

“To the CD store,” Nick answered. “There’s a CD out, that I’m trying to find, and Mom wants us to pick up that movie Leslie wants for her birthday.”

“Oooh yeah,” Leona nodded, her head still on his shoulder. “I forgot.”

“What’re you getting her, Runt?”

“I’m not a Runt,” Leona frowned, though she giggled once more a moment later when Nick poked her side. “I’ma get her that doll she wanted, and the new Barbie that’s out.”

“Ah, I’m sure she’ll like that,” Nick smiled, kissing her head affectionately.

“I hope so,” Leona admitted softly. “She didn’t like what I got her for Christmas.”

“She didn’t?”

“No,” Leona sighed. “It was on her list, but when I gave it to her, she made a grossed out face an’ threw it back at me, an’ told me it was only for babies like me.”

“Well, I’m sure these gifts will go over much better,” Nick assured her. “Because I already asked her three times to ensure everything on her list is what she truly wants.”

“Thank-you, Nicky,” Leona said softly, kissing his cheek.

“For what?”

“For making me feel better.”

Nick smiled at her warmly. “Anytime, Runt. Now, c’mon. Squirm down so you can find that movie for me, while I look for that CD I wanted.”

Leona giggled, as she did as told. “Which one was it again?”

“Toy Story,” Nick answered, as he watched her head for the movie section in the store. “Don’t you leave this store without me, you hear?”

“I won’t, Nicky,” Leona smiled to assure him. “I’m the good one, remember?”

“Well, I seem to remember different, but, okay,” Nick winked, causing his littlest sister to giggle yet again. “Full of giggles today, aren’t you?”

“Uh-huh,” Leona nodded. “I’d a bowl of giggle cereal for breakfast!”

“Well, run along and rind that movie, Ms. Giggles-A-Lot Bear,” Nick told her. “We have to be back home soon.”

“There’s no such Care Bear!” Leona replied, poking her tongue out at him, as she turned and ran over to the movies, to find the one Leslie had asked for.

Nick shook his head at her, then turned and went down the aisle he was currently standing in, as to try and find the CD he wanted.

After a short while, Leona came over to where her brother stood and handed him the movie she’d been sent to find. “Here, Nicky. I found it.”

“Thanks Leo-Lee,” Nick smiled down at her. “I’m going to be a little longer, so you can continue looking if you want.”

“Okay!” Leona chirped happily. She loved to browse in CD stores.

“But remember, stay in this store, got it?”

“Got it, Dude!” Leona grinned, as she turned and fan off to where she knew the Chipmunks stuff was.

Nick shook his head once more, then resumed looking at the CDs in front of him, still trying to find that one he wanted. As well as another one he’d thought of while searching for the rest.

Leona looked at everything she wanted to see, but eventually grew bored. No matter how much she loved CD stores, she could still only stay in one for so long, before growing bored. And her being bored was never a good thing – it was just as bad as Nick being quiet while he thought up crazy pranks.

“I wonder what that puppy’s doing right now,” Leona wondered silently. “I wonder if anybody’s thinkin’ of buying him, I know I am, but nobody will let me, an’ I don’t got ‘nough money to do it on my own….”

It was while thinking about the puppy, that she decided to do something impulsive and foolish. Very foolish. She glanced around to ensure no one was watching her, then turned and darted right on out of the CD store! She was going back to check on the puppy she had seen, to ensure he was going to find a good home and be loved and cared for – like he would be, if she were allowed to bring him home with her.

Meanwhile, Nick finally found the CDs he was looking for, and decided to find his sister and head on home. He went and paid for the things he’d in his hands, then went in search of his baby sister.

“Leo-Lee!” He called out. “C’mon! It’s time to go!”

He paused a moment, and scanned the store as best he could, in search of her, when he got no reply. “Leo-Lee?” He repeated, trying not get become panicked. When he got no response once more, he quickly began to check each aisle to see if she was anywhere in there with headphones on, as the store had listening stations.

When he saw that she was nowhere in sight, he began to become angry. He’d told her over and over again to remain in the store, so she wouldn’t get lost, and so he wouldn’t have to worry. And in return, she’d assured him over and over again that she wouldn’t leave the store without him. He’d trusted her, and now she was gone!

“Dammit Leo-Lee!” He grumbled to himself, as he made his way back to the check-out counter. “Excuse me, Sir. But have you seen the little girl I came in with?”

“The little one with the Chipmunks shirt on?” The man queried.

“Yes, her,” Nick nodded.

“She left the store about ten minutes ago,” the man replied. “I would’ve stopped her, but I thought she was headed for someone she knew, so I didn’t but in.”

“Did you see which way she went once out in the mall?” Nick questioned, feeling panic and fear set in.

“She went left, I believe,” the man answered.

“Thank-you, Sir!” Nick said hurriedly, as he turned and ran out of the store in a hurry. If she left on her own free will, he was going to throttle her for scaring him like this!

He ran through the mall, dodging people left and right, even jumping over a little kid whom was sitting on the floor tantruming. He had to find his sister! He just had too! It was as he rounded the one corner that he spotted her, standing there in front of the pet store, laughing and making faces at the puppy in the window. He felt anger surge through his veins and into the very core of his heart, as he watched her laugh, completely oblivious to the fear and panic she had caused him.

Leona laughed some more, as the Yorkshire terrier puppy in the front store window jumped over his friend that was in there with him. The two puppies were playfully tackling one another, thus amusing their lone admirer greatly.

“Thatta boy!” She cheered her favourite one on, completely oblivious to the fact her brother now stood fuming as he watched her. “You get him!”

Leona Evelyn Carter!” Nick roared, once able to find his voice.

Leona just about jumped three feet. It wasn’t often her brother called her by her full name, nor was it often he used that tone of voice with her - especially since he knew how easily she cried when people yelled, whether they be yelling at her or not.

“Hiya Nicky!” She chirped; a forced, nervous smiled on her face. “The puppies are playing!”

“Do you have any idea just how close I came to having a heart-attack when I could find you?” Nick growled angrily. “Just who the Hell gave you permission to come see these puppies again? Huh? Do tell me, please.”

Leona gulped nervously. “I-I did,” she stuttered softly. “I thought he’d be lonely. I didn’t know he had a friend.”

“That is no excuse, Leona!” Nick yelled. “I told him twice not to leave the store without me, and twice you promised me that you wouldn’t! And look where we’ve wound up! You standing outside the pet store by yourself, and me running around like crazy trying to find you!”

“I’m sorry, Nicky,” Leona said softly. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Well, you did!” Nick snapped. “Your broke your promise to me too, Leona! How am I supposed to be able to trust you now, hmm?”

“I didn’t mean too!” Leona protested, tears filling her eyes. Normally she could hide her tears until she was alone – but that was only the case if it wasn’t her eldest brother yelling at her. When it was him, she seemed to have no control whatsoever over her emotions and she hated that!

“You’re grounded Leona,” Nick told her firmly.

“You can’t ground me!” Leona argued. “You’re not Mommy and Daddy!”

“Oh, and like they won’t ground you for this stunt you pulled, should I tell them?”

“How am I s’pose to be grounded if you don’t tell them, huh?” Leona shot-back. “They’re gonna wanna know why, dumbass.”

Nick glared at her then, as he grabbed her quickly, whirling her around, and planting three very firm whacks to her backside. “Don’t you stand here and sass me about punishment, after nearly giving me a heart-attack Leona Evelyn! I was nice enough to let you come with me, and this is how you repay me?!?!?”

Leona yelped and began to cry; she cried harder after he’d landed three more firm swats to her backside after the first three.

“Now, let’s go! March!” Nick ordered, as he grabbed her hand and practically dragged his sobbing sister out of the mall and to his awaiting car in the parking lot.

Leona cried as she sat in the back of the car, unable to believe he had spanked her, and that she’d made him mad enough to do so. She’d come close to it before, but he hadn’t swatted her in forever! And never had it been that hard!

End of Flashback…..

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9010