The Culprit by ktbspa
Summary: Anna finally tells Nick her feelings for him; and finds out he feels the same way; too. But there is someone out there who doesn't like the boys, and will do anything he can to make sure they're dead.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Group
Genres: Suspense
Warnings: Domestic Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 8394 Read: 5789 Published: 05/19/08 Updated: 05/19/08

1. Chapter 1 by ktbspa

2. Chapter 2 by ktbspa

3. Chapter 3 by ktbspa

4. Chapter 4 by ktbspa

Chapter 1 by ktbspa
Author's Notes:
What starts out an -alright day- turns into something worse.
Anna's POV

Oh my gosh, it's Saturday! I woke up and jumped out of bed. I glanced at the clock. 12:30! Oh no! I grabbed my phone to see if I had any missed calls. Sure enough, I had one from Nick. I don't have time to talk to him right now. I need to get ready! I jumped in the shower and quickly shampooed my hair and cleaned myself. I dried myself, then put on a pair of jeans and a black tank top. I blow dried my hair very quickly, rushing, as I had to be at the mall at 1:30. I was going to meet Jennifer to look for an outfit for Prom on Friday. I don't have a date, but hey, I still need to go. It'll be loads of fun. I put on a pair of black flip flops, grabbed my purse, and threw my cellphone in.

I ran downstairs, grabbed a nutrition bar for breakfast, and ran out the door. I got into my Avalon, and drove off to the mall. "Maybe I should call Nick back, it could be something important," I said to myself. Sigh. I hated having to call him. It gives me the goose bumps everytime. If only he knew how I felt..Suddenly, my phone rang. Oh gosh. I looked at the Caller ID. Yep, it's Nick. I answered, "Hello?" "Hey, I gotta question for you." Oh boy! "Okay, shoot." I said. "Do you want a free ticket to the concert tonight?" He asked. "I go to every concert, Nick." I told him. "I know, I know, but tonight is special. I'm singing I Need You Tonight to one special person in front of the whole audience. And I really want you to be there." Wow, I thought to myself. "How do you know that person is even going?" Haha, I chuckled to myself. That would be funny if she didn't show up. I started to feel a bit jealous. Now I knew he liked someone, and I would have to deal with it."Believe me, I know she's coming." "Oh, I see, well, I don't wanna miss this. Sure, I'll be there. I'm headin' to the mall now to meet Jennifer to pick out a Prom dress. I'll have to hurry, but it'll be worth it." "Yes it will.." Nick quietly said. "What?" I questioned. He sounded suspicious.."It will be worth it. We're... singin' some.... new songs." He stammered. "Uh huh, okay, I'll be there. See ya later." I said. "Bye."

He hung up. I put my phone in my pocket and parked the car in front of JC Penny's. Hm, I wonder who this "special person" is. He hasn't met anyone knew that I know of. I spotted Jennifer waving at me. I hurried over to her. I should tell her about Nick's "special someone". "Hey, um, Jenn, I need to talk to you," I said when I got over to her. "That's what I'm here for. What's wrong?" She asked. "You know the concert tonight? Well, I'm going." I said. "That's no news, Anna. You go everytime. What's the problem? You get to see Nick, normally you're excited about that." She stopped and sat down on a bench outside of JC Penny's. "Well, he found someone." "What do you mean he found someone?" She paused. "Oh, a girl?" She asked, and gave me a serious look. "Yeah, He called on the way here and told me that I need to come tonight. He wants me to hear him sing I Need You Tonight to that special somone who he says is coming to the concert." I said. "Oh...I'm really sorry, Anna. Are you still going to go?" "Heck yeah, I wanna see him!" I exclaimed. "Hey, you never know, that "special someone" could be you." "Hahaha, yeah, in my dreams. He doesn't feel that way about me, and you know that!" "I think he does, but whatever, you don't have to agree. Let's get shoppin' for Prom!" We ran off, searching for dresses for 2 hours until we each found the perfect one. Mine was light blue and medium length, halter top. Jenn says it goes well with my blonde hair and blue eyes. I took her word for it, and bought it. Jenn's dress, on the other hand, is a black V neck, really long, dress. I have to say, she is really good at picking out fancy stuff. She found hers in the first rack we looked at. Finding my dress was what took so long. I chuckled to myself. "Wow, I can't wait till Friday. It's goin' to be so much fun!" I exclaimed. "You bet it is!" She replied. I took out my watch. 6:00. The concert starts at 7. I needed to get home, change, and eat supper before the concert. I quickly turned to Jenn and immediately she looked at her watch, knowing that I would be late. "Go, Anna! You need time to get ready! You're gonna see NICK!" I hugged her and said bye, and ran out to my car. Well, I know one thing for sure. I don't need to get all dressed up. I know the "someone" isn't me, so why bother? I picked up some Chick Fil A, and headed home.

When I got home, I ran upstairs and into my closet. I threw on some nice, black slacks and white V neck shirt along with black flats. I didn't really care tonight. I mean, yeah, I was going to see Nick, but he's my best friend. I don't need to look good for him to be my friend. He's seen me at the worst, when I've been sick and in my pj's. He doesn't care. Then, my cellphone rang. Oh boy. Lemme guess. Nick. Yep. I answered, "Hello?" "Hey, meet me at the back door, so I can give you the ticket and VIP pass." "Okay, back door. Got ya." I hung up.

The building was a good drive away from home, so I turned on the CD player, not remembering what CD was in there. Then, I listened very carefully. I turned the volume up. It was the Backstreet Boys, singing I Need You Tonight. Man, how I wish I was his lucky girl. I wanna tell him so badly how I feel, but I just can't. I could imagine the look on his face. It'll suddenly go blank, and then he'll walk away, and probably never speak to me again. I have had this feeling for him for years, ever since I first met him in 4th grade. I will always remember that day.

It was recess, April 7th, 1993. I had gone to the swings to, well, swing. I loved to swing. That's the time when I would look at all of the other kids and just think. I remember gazing at this one boy who I didn't know the name of at the time. He was so handsome. Now, in a 9 year old's mind, handsome is just pretty darn cute. Well, there were these group of kids who loved to pick on people. They were "The 5th Graders." Normally, they pick on the younger kids, but that day, my life would change. I was just swinging, minding my own business, staring at that boy, when suddenly this girl comes up to me and said, "Hey, get off my swing." I looked up and stared into those dark, evil eyes of hers. I didn't know what to say, let alone do, so I went back to what I was doing. "I said, GET OFF MY SWING!" She yelled. Then, suddenly, I was on the ground, and my stomach and back were hurting really bad. She had pushed me really hard in the stomach, and I had landed on my back, banging my head on the hard ground. I opened my eyes, and saw that girl picking up some sand, getting ready to throw it in my face, but then, out of nowhere, someone's hand grabbed her wrist and said,"Leave her alone!" It was a boy's voice. I looked up, and there I saw him. Him, as in, that boy I had laid my eyes on everyday for 3 years. Thankfully, the bell rang, and I struggled to get up. Then, the boy said,"Are you okay?" and reached out his hand to me. "I..I'm fine." I managed to say without looking up at him. "I'm Nick." He said. "I'm Anna, nice to meet you," I said, trying to act like a lady. Then, he asked, "Want to be my best friend?" I said, "Sure," and from then on, we spent everyday at recess together, and the 5th graders left us alone.

Now I am a senior in High School, and Nick, well, is a Backstreet Boy. I'm surprised we're still so close, with him being on tour, and having concerts, and not being home all the time; but that never stopped us from keeping close contact. Ah, finally here. I swerved around to the back of the building and parked. Looking around as I got out of my car, I spotted Nick. "Hey!" I yelled. He ran over to me. "Here are the tickets and VIP pass. I'll see you after the show." He winked at me and I smiled saying, "Good luck!" He waved goodbye, and I made my way to the long line in the front of the building. If you think him winking at me was a sign, believe me, it's not. He always does that. It's just his way of saying "Can't wait to see you later." Nothing big. I looked at my ticket. Front row seats. Wow, normally the tickets he gives me are at least 5 rows back. Not front row. Hmm. Maybe he wants me to see the girl who he's going to sing to. That loser..

I made my way to the front row, and realized that it was only Sound Check, so I wasn't late. I took my seat, and saw Brian and Aj setting up the mikes. I waved to them and gave them a thumbs up. They are really cool guys. I met them awhile back, at my 5th concert. They are so funny and charming, not the typical rock stars. Not conceited. Just, themselves. I spotted Leighanne, Brian's fiancee, and motioned her to come here. "Hey, Leighanne, do you know anything about Nick's 'special someone'?" I asked. Hopefully she would know something. "I know about the song, but not the certain someone. I wonder who it is. No one new has come into his life, right?" She asked. "Not that I know of, and he would tell me if someone did. It's not like him to keep it from me."I stated. "I see what you're saying, but who knows, maybe there's a reason why he's keepin' it from you." She gave me a wink. "Psh. You're just like my friend Jenn, she said that this morning. Nick does not feel that way about me! How many times do I have to say it? You guys are torturing me, I swear! You KNOW I like him, alot for that matter, and you still drown me into thinking that he feels the same way!" I exclaimed. "Anna, Jenn and I are just stating the facts. You guys are best friends, and no one new has come along, and he would tell you if someone did. You said yourself that it's not like him to keep anything from you, so maybe you're the one." Leighanne said. "Big whoop, I'm just here to hear the band sing, not get humiliated by Nick and/or think that I'm 'the one'." I said. Leighanne said, "Okay, think what you want, I gotta go see Brian. I'll see you after the show." "Bye." I said as she walked off towards the stairs.

I looked up at the stage. The only person up there was Nick. He glanced at me and smiled. I smiled back, giving him a thumbs up. Then, he made his way backstage. Now I would'nt see him until the show. Now, I could finally just sit down and relax, without having to pretend I'm happy. I mean, I am happy I'm here, but why would he want to humiliate me? Especially in front of everyone? Sigh. It's not like him..

The next thing I know the area is filled with screaming fans as the boys come onto the stage. I stood up, knowing that now I would have to act again. The first song they sang was Everybody. That song got me hyper. I was surrounded by screaming girls. I tried to make out what they were saying, but the music was too loud. I could tell the girl beside me was into Nick, since she had on a T shirt with his picture on it. I have that T shirt. Nick gave it to me for Christmas last year. I started to feel down again. I had no idea what would happen in the next 30 minutes..

Then I heard the beginning of the song I had listened too on the way here. It was time. Time to be humiliated..and the crowd was now quiet, so it was worse. Then, Nick started to speak. "I would like to dedicate this song to a special someone..."He paused."...Her name is Kaitlyn." The whole crowd started looking around, and then I saw her. A beautiful woman probably the same age as Nick, standing up about 10 seats down from me. My heart dropped. I stood up, and walked out to the aisle. I turned around and gave Nick a long look as the music continues playing. I knew it. Leighanne and Jenn were wrong. There WAS someone else, and he never told me. How could he do this to me? I ran out of the stadium as Nick started to sing, but then, right when I looked back for one last look at the man I loved, A.K.A my best friend, he stopped. He ran backstage.

I ran out towards my car as tears started to fall. My heart was offically broken. I wanted to go home. I ran for the car door. Suddenly, someone grabbed my wrist and turned me around. "What are you doing??" Nick yelled. "I'm leaving! I should have known! You wanted me to come here just so I could be humiliated! You don't even know!" I yelled back. I turned towards my car "Whoa, whoa, hold up. What don't I know?" I turned back towards him. "I thought it was obvious to you out of all people, my best friend. But I guess I was wrong." I said. I put my head down, getting ready to say the words that I had been wanting to say since the 4th grade. "Nick." I started to say. "What's wrong, Anna?" He took my hand. I put my head up. "I..I love you." Once again, I put my head down, dreading what I had just said. That was it. Our friendship was over. "Yes, I know, as a friend. I know you do." He said. He didn't understand. "No, you don't understand. It's..it's more than that. Much more." I looked up. He was looking to his right. "And I never wanted you to know...and now I know why.." I turned towards my car and started to open the door. He closed the door. "You know, all you had to do was tell me, Anna. I'm not mad. Yeah, I'm surprised, but not in a bad way. I have a confession to make. That Kaitlyn girl, I hired her to pretend to be the one I was singing for, because....'cause I backed down from wanting to sing it to the actual person." He said. He looked at me. "That doesn't help, Nick. Go on, go sing it to her! She'll be happy. She'll be lucky." I started to cry.

"I need you tonight, I need you right now..." He started to sing. "Nick, I said go sing it to the one you love! Not me! Stop humiliating me!" I cried even harder. I got into my car and put my head down on the steering wheel. His hand lifted my head up as he continued to sing. "I know, deep within my heart. It doesn't matter if its wrong, or if it's right." He paused as he looked into my eyes. "I really need you....tonight." I got out of the car, not believing anything. He took my hand. "Anna, I've always loved you. From the first day I laid eyes on you years ago. I knew you were the one. Honestly." He said softly. I looked up at him, not knowing what to say. "I...No. No. I don't believe this." I looked down. "Anna, it's really happening, and I am really saying. I love you." With that, he grabbed me and pulled me in close so that my head was on his chest. He loosened up, and we just stood there. My head was starting to hurt. I couldn't believe this. It was actually me. Leighanne and Jenn were right..

Suddenly, someone hit me on the head with something very hard. My eyes were closed, I didn't see or hear anyone coming. I fell to the ground. Nick's strong hold hadn't stopped me from falling. Nick suddenly got me up, yelling, "Anna! Anna!" I opened my eyes, but everything was a blur. "Nick," I said softly, "Help me. Nick."


(Nick's POV)
Who the hell was that?? I turned around, eyes dashing across the parking lot to see if I could see anyone running off, but there was no sign of anyone. I carefully picked Anna up and placed her in her car. I got my cellphone and called Brian. "Dude, come to the backstage parking lot now. Someone hit Anna in the head with something, and ran off, and now she's unconcious. Call 911!" With that, I hung up. Brian was out here 5 seconds later, on the phone with the ER people. AJ and Howie rushed outside and helped me carry Anna into the building. We laid her down on one of the dance mats. Brian ran in. "They're on their way."
End Notes:
Hope you liked it! I know it's short >.
Chapter 2 by ktbspa
Author's Notes:
Will Anna get better? Will the striker strike next? And to who? Find out!
30 minutes later, the boys and I were in the hospital waiting room in downtown LA. I was pacing, back and forth, trying to figure out who would've done this. I sat down and buried my head in my hands. This made no sense. One second I was holding Anna, just after singing to her, and telling her how I felt. The next minute she was on the ground. The guys walked up to me. “Nick, what exactly happened?" "Man, I don't know. We were talking. She thought that I didn't love her, and that I loved Kaitlyn, and so she ran out, and I followed her, and explained. Then, I sang the song to her, and we were hugging. All of a sudden she's on the ground. I saw someone in a black mask holding something, but by the time I looked back up, the person was gone." Brian said, "Wow, who would've done such a thing?" "I don't know, it could've been anyone. Any jealous human being."Aj said. "That narrows it down to about THE WORLD." Howie added. I sighed. I was so confused. The love of my life was unconscious, in the ER room. Suddenly, a doctor came out and said "Nick Carter. Please come with us." I followed him into the room where Anna was. "Now, what exactly happened here?" "All I know is that someone in a black mask hit her in the head with something hard. She fell to the ground. Then, Brian called you guys." I looked at her. She was still unconscious. I hated seeing her like this. Not moving. It made me hurt. I looked at Dr. Logan. "We'll have to keep her over.." All of a sudden, I hear something. "Nick? Where am I?" It was Anna! "Anna, sweetie, I'm right here. Stay still. You'll be okay." She drifted back off to what seemed to be an endless sleep. I looked away. I couldn’t stand it. The doctor looked at the X Ray they had taken in the ambulance. "It looks like she has a concussion." he said. "We'll need to keep her overnight. Once she's conscious, it might take a few days to remember things, or her whole life. You may need to remind her." I wanted to know if I could stay here with her, so I asked, "Can I stay, too?" Dr. Logan looked at me. "Yes, you can, but you'll have to stay in the waiting room." "Okay, hold on. I'm going to go tell the guys whats up."

I rushed out the door back to the waiting room. The guys were anxiously waiting for the news. "Hey, man, how is she?" Howie asked. "She's fine, she has a concussion. They're going to keep her overnight. I'm stayin' too." " Nick, I am so sorry to hear this. Is there anything we can do?" Brian asked. "Not now. I'll stay overnight, and see you guys in the morning. I'll call my family and tell them what's happened, and you guys can stay if you want. I'm guessin' Leighanne will want to see Anna as soon as possible though, am I right, Brian?" "Yeah, she called as soon as she saw me leave. She said she's on her way." With that, Leighanne rushed in. "Hey, how is she?" Brian explained to her about the concussion and that Anna would be fine. I wandered off. I really did want to die right now. 'I know Anna is fine, so why do I feel like it's my fault? Why am I worried? Why do I want to kill myself..

Brian came up behind me. "Hey, man, you alright?"
"No, I'm not. It's all my fault. If I hadn't replaced her with Kaitlyn, Anna wouldn't have run outside. Then, she wouldn't have gotten hit. It's all my fault!" I fell to the ground, and leaned back against the wall. "It's my fault that she has a concussion. It's my fault that she has to stay overnight."
"No, it is not your fault, Nick! It is the person who hit her's fault! Not yours! Do not blame this whole thing on yourself! Please! Don't!" He started to raise his voice.
"She's okay! What is there to worry about? We'll find the person who hit her!" He went on.
"Okay, okay, so it's not my fault!" I exclaimed.

With that, the guys and Leighanne left, leaving me with only the hospital and the people surrounding me to keep me company.

That night, the dream I had haunted me. It was exactly what had happened that night. Over and over again. I woke up twice scared to death, and wanting to go in and check on Anna, but I knew I wasn't allowed too.

The next morning, the doctor woke me up. "Nick, Nick. You can see her now. She’s awake.” I jumped out of my seat and ran to the room. I couldn't wait to see her. I wonder how she is, I thought. Then, I stopped at the door. She might not remember anything. She might have forgotten my love for her. She might have forgotten that she loved me. She might have forgotten that we were even friends. I might have to start all over..

I slowly knocked on the door, sadly hoping that she was asleep again. "Come in," someone said in a faint voice. I opened the door, and walked in. "Hey, how are you feelin'?" I asked. I looked at her. She was very pale, and looked very, very tired. I couldn't imagine how she must feel right now, probably not knowing who she was talking to or where she was or what had happened. "I feel okay, Nick." She quietly said. Hey, she remembered me. That's a start. "Dr. Logan said I can go home in about an hour, and if you want, you can call the guys and Leighanne up and ask if they wanna come down." She continued. I thought about it, and decided that I actually needed to call my family still. I'm surprised they didn't call last night when I hadn't come home. “Hey, yeah, I'll call the guys up." I replied. "Do you need anything, Anna?" I asked. She said no, and I went back out to the waiting room and called Brian. "Hello?" It was Leighanne. "Hey, Leighanne." "Hey, are you still at the hospital?" She asked. "Yeah, I am. Anna is awake now, if you guys want to come down here, you can." "That's great. I'll have to bring Baylee, the babysitter is off today." "Okay, see you soon." I hung up. Now, I need to call B.J. No, I don't want to..She's probably fine. Ring. Ring. My phone started to ring. It was Leslie. "Hello?" I answered. "Hey, where are you?! We're all sick and worried! Get the hell home right now!" She started to yell. "Leslie, I'm fine. Something happened at the concert last night with Anna, and we had to rush her into the hospital downtown. We just found out she's okay, so I'll be home tonight. Don't worry." I calmly said. "What happened?? Leslie asked frantically. "Someone hit her in the head with something last night when we were backstage, outside. She fell to the ground, and Brian called 911, and we've been here since then." "Oh, can we come? I really wanna see her!" She asked. "Leslie, I don't know if it's such a good idea. You know how you guys are. How about just you and BJ come? You can ask her, and explain everything to her on the way." I explained. "I'm sure Angel and Aaron wanna see her, too though!" She argued. "Okay, okay, fine. Look, I don't have time for this. Just bring them." I gave in. "Okay, see you soon!" She hung up. I went back into Anna's room. "The guys, Leighanne, Bayley, and my brother and sisters' are on their way." "All of them?" She asked. "Yeah, this could be chaotic.." Suddenly, the door opened, and in came Leighanne, Baylee, and the guys. There were hugs all around, questions being asked, then being answered. Someone knocked on the door a few minutes later. I answered it. It was Aaron, Angel, B.J, and Leslie. Once again, there were hugs all around, questions being asked, and then being answered.

An hour later, it was time for Anna to leave. My family had left 15 minutes before, and Leighanne and Baylee had left just a few minutes before. The guys and I helped Anna into a wheelchair, and then wheeled her out of the room. We checked her out at the check-out desk, and went to the car. AJ and Howie helped her into the car, while I wheeled the wheelchair back into the hospital. Brian suddenly ran up to me, phone at his ear. He looked really scared. "Dude, something really bad has happened." He looked at me, he looked frozen all of a sudden. This didn’t look good..
Chapter 3 by ktbspa
Author's Notes:
Brian tells us the tragic news..
"He's WHAT?! " I yelled. "He's gone!" Brian tried to explain. "Leighanne and him went home. Then, the company called Leighanne, and so she went upstairs to talk to them. Baylee was watching tv in the living room. The window was unlocked, someone must have opened it and snuck up on Baylee, and took him away. He's nowhere to be found!" I couldn't believe this! Baylee, missing? Oh my God! I bet it was the same person who hit Anna in the head! She's trying to ruin all of the Backstreet Boys! "Brian, oh my God! I think I know why he's missing!" I explained everything to him, and he agreed with me. We told the others the news, and that we needed to keep a close eye on our families, friends, pets, etc.. Oh God, that means I have to watch my brother and sisters.Great. With the tour comin' up, it would be really hard to keep tabs on them..but I can't take any chances. They'll have to go with me everywhere. Everywhere. Everywhere. Everywhere. The word kept echoing in my mind. This could turn into a huge problem, but I don't wanna lose them. I'll try talkin' to them, tell them to stay in sight of eachother at all times, and if that doesn't work, that they'll need to be with me. Okay. Plan made. I got into the car and took Anna home to her mom, and told her mom to keep her eye out, and lock the doors, and windows. etc. You never know when the person could strike again.

Brian's POV

I can't believe my kid is missin', I thought to myself. Leighanne suddenly showed up, crying. "It's all my fault, it's all my fault! If I hadn't gone upstairs and left him downstairs, and the window unlocked, none of this would have happened!" She cried. "Honey, honey, it's not your fault. It was an accident. We'll find him soon. Don't worry." I hugged her tight. Hopefully we'll find him soon. We have missing reports on every news channel, papers up, in newspapers, on the radio, everywhere. I wonder who could’ve done this. At first, I had thought the person was only going after Nick, trying to destroy his life, but now I know it's not. It's someone who wants to ruin our lives. Someone who must hate us, and want to get back at us for some reason. I began to think. What have we done to anyone? I thought. Absolutely nothing.We need a BSB meeting right away.

I called up the guys and told them to meet me at my house. When they got here, I made sure to lock all the doors and windows, and had a close eye on Baylee and Leighanne in the other room. I went into the kitchen and grabbed some sweet tea and coke for them. I sat down. "Okay,as you all know, Baylee is missing. Now, we need to think of why someone would do this to us, first to Nick, by hitting his best friend, and now kidnapping Baylee.It makes you wonder if we did anything. Have you guys done anything to anyone to make them mad, or jealous, or anything?" I asked. I turned to Nick. "Hey, man, well, I know alot of people are probably jealous of us, but I never did anything to anyone. Maybe someone is jealous about me and Anna, who knows. There are alot of girls after me" He said. He sat back and stiked a pose. AJ butted in. "Ha ha, very funny Nick." He hit him on the back of the head. "Well, I didn't do anything. I don't even have a girlfriend, so it's not like someone is jealous of me being with someone. To me, I don't think anyone has a reason to come after me. It's only you guys." He laughed jokingly. "Okay, okay." I laughed. I turned to Howie. "What about you? Did you do anything?" Howie sat back and thought for a few seconds. "Well, I am engaged, maybe someone is jealous. Or maybe they’re just jealous of my moves." He got up and started to dance. "Yo, D, sit down." Nick said. "No one is jealous of your moves." Everyone laughed. "Well, the only thing we keep comin' up with is that someone is jealous of our relationships, family, dance techniques, singing, or music. Anything. I have a feeling it's not some fan. I have a feeling it's someone famous, just like us, and is tryin' to mess us up so we don't get to go on the tour. I don't know." I said. "That is a good observation." Nick replied, sounding smart. "Man, I don't know. Now I'll have to keep an eye on my family, pets, and Anna. And the problem is, Anna already thinks I'm over protective, always asking her if she's okay, and blah blah blah. She's probably at home wondering why her mom is checkin' up on her every few minutes." He said. "Hey, got any chips?" he asked. "Yeah, they're in the pantry. Salsa is in the fridge." I replied. He got up and started to sing as he left the room. "Tell me why, ain't nothin' but a heartache..." We laughed. He was definately a nutball.


Anna's POV

"Anna, sweetie, are you doin' okay?" My mom asked as she locked the windows. "I'm fine, mom. How many times do I have to tell you?" I replied. She was really getting on my nerves. She's been in my room 5 times in the past 10 minutes. It's like she thinks I'm gonna suddenly die or something. "I'm just making sure you're okay. And you know about Baylee. We have to keep a close eye out now. Someone is out to hurt the BSB, and by doing so, they're hurting relatives, friends, relationships, anyone. I don't wanna take any chances." I had to agree with my mom. It was so weird how someone was out to get them. Who would do such a thing? Who would kidnap a 5 year old boy? Baylee is probably so scared right now. I wonder how he's doing. I wouldn't know what to do if I were him. I sat back on the bed. I grabbed the tv remote and turned the television on. I need to get my mind off of everything, I thought to myself. I turned to the news channel to see any updates on the person who hit me and kidnapped Baylee. Nothing. I can't believe this is all even real. Why would someone do this to them? The person must be one of their rivals, that we don't know about. I grabbed my book, Fahrenheit 451, and started to read, trying to get my mind off of everything once again. I was really tired. My eyes were having trouble focusing on the words. Maybe I'll take a little nap..


Aj's POV

I left Brian's house after hangin' around for an hour. Nick had been such a loser. I chuckled to myself. He had gotten up and started dancin' and singin', pretending to be on Dancing With the Stars and American Idol at the same time. I don't know how Anna deals with him, I thought jokingly. I wonder where the person will strike next. He/She doesn't have a person to take from me..so I'll need to pay close attention to my dogs. Unless.....unless he strikes at me and not someone or something belonging to me. Oh God. I better be careful...even now. It's late at night, and I'm drivin' outside in LA, where anything could happen. Suddenly, I saw lights coming from in front of me. I was on a one way street, and I knew I wasn’t the one going the wrong way. Oh my God, he's gonna hit me! I tried to turn the car around, but it was too late. The suburban hit the side of my car, and went flying. [the car was flying, not AJ] The car landed on the ground with a thud. There was a sudden sharp pain in my chest, and my leg was cut open. I could feel the air rushing into the cut. I looked around, panicking. I tried to look out the window, but I couldn't see much. I should stay quiet, and act like I'm dead, just in case the crazy idiot wants to hit me again, I thought. I sat there in pain, for what seemed to be an hour, before finding my cellphone. I needed to call Howie. He could call 911, and get me out of here. I quickly dialed the number. "Hello?" He answered. "Man, H...Howie, call 911. Some...some.. idiot hit...hit me back on this one way street on..on the way home. I'm...I'm in serious p...pain. My leg is c...cut open, and my chest is gettin' t....tighter and tighter. I need help N....NOW!" "Okay, Aj, calm down. I'll call 911, and we'll be there in a few mimnutes. Just hang in there. I'm comin'." With that, he hung up. Now all I could do was wait. I probably didn't have much longer. My leg was starting to go numb, and I felt like I was dying. Good thing Howie lives nearby...I started to drift off to sleep. No, No, I need to stay awake. I could die if I fall asleep. Then, I suddenly saw black..and I was out.


When I woke up, I was in a hospital room with my leg wrapped up. I was connected to a few machines. I took a deep breath. Oww, that hurt. I bet it would’nt hurt so much if I had stopped smoking. I looked around. I was completely isolated. The room was all white, it started to make my eyes hurt like hell. I closed them. Maybe another nap would do me some good..

When I woke up for the second time, I was in a different room, one with colors this time, surrounded by Brian, Nick, and Howie. "He's awake!" Brian yelled. "Man, are you okay? What happened?" Nick asked. I opened my mouth, but I didn't feel like talking. I motioned for Howie to get me a pen and paper, and I wrote down what I knew before I had drifted off to a world where everything was black. I handed the paper to Nick. He read it silently, then handed it to Brian. Howie read it after Brian, since he didn't quite know the full story, even though I had called him and tried to explain. "Wow, someone really IS out to get us," Nick said. "Ya think?" Howie replied, hitting him on the head. "Man, what is it with you guys, hitting, and my head? If you like it so much, just kill me, and marry it." He said. "I don't know, Nick, but sometimes you are a dork." Brian laughed. I motioned for someone to get me some water, and then maybe I could talk. My mouth was really dry. Must have been from lack of water since the accident. I took a few sips, then opened my mouth and tried to speak. "Wh..what..t.....time.....is..it?" I stuttered. Howie took out his cellphone, and checked the time. "It is 3 o clock in the morning." He said. "Aren't...you..t..tired?" I said. Brian looked at me and made a funny face. " I’ll t..take that as a n..no" I replied. "Any n..ews on..Bay..lee? I asked. Brian nodded his head. "Yeah, I got a call about 2 hours ago saying that someone saw a person in black driving up towards Sacremento. They took investigators to go and check it out, and see if they can find him. I'm pretty sure he's fine, and that they'll find him soon. What kind of car hit you?" He asked. I shrugged. "I t...think it...it was.... a b...black suburban." I replied. "That's the car someone saw heading towards Sacremento! Yeah, we'll find him." Brian said hopefully. "Hey guys, I'm gonna go to the bathroom," Nick said. "Thanks for tellin' us." Howie said. Nick laughed. "No problemo." He said, as he walked out of the room.

Then, a doctor came in. "Aj McLean? We have the results. Your leg has a minor cut, and we will stitch it up in an hour. Now for your chest. Do you or have you been smoking?" She asked. I looked at her. "Y..yes, I have, b...but not for a ...a .w...eek." I answered truthfully. "Well, that seems to be another problem. You will need to stop, it's making your breathing harder, and eventually you will die; much sooner than any other smoker. As for now, we also think you have whiplash from the accident, so that could be another reason why you're having trouble breathing." I nodded. "O..Okay. I..I will..s..top sm..ok..ing." "That would be a good idea. Now, boys, you will need to go and wait in the waiting room, as we are now going to take Aj in to surgery and stitch up that leg." Brian and Howie nodded, and left. I guess they'll call Nick to tell him where they are. Then I got wheeled out of the room, and into the surgery room. They put a mask on my face, and I drifted off into a deep sleep.


Howie's POV

Brian and I walked out into the waiting room. Surgery shouldn't take that long. After all, it's only a few stitches. A few minutes later, I saw Nick walking down the hall. "Hey, Frack, in here." He turned around, walked over to us, and sat down in a chair next to Brian, who was half awake. "Where's Aj?" Nick asked. "They took him into surgery. It should only be about 45 minutes at the least." I replied. Nick nodded. "Okay." He laughed. He looked at Brian. "Looks like Brian is a little tired," He said as he poked Brian's cheek. He didn't even budge. "Damn, he falls asleep fast." Howie said. I leaned my head back. I was pretty tired myself..Then I began to think. Oh no, my turn is next. He/She's gotten Nick, Brian, and Aj now. The only one left is me. I hope he/she doesn't go for Leigh...I started to panic. "Man, what's wrong?" Nick asked. "Nick, I'm next." I slowly said. I turned to him. Nick nodded his head. "Hey, just keep a good watch on Leigh and yourself. Maybe you'll get lucky, and the person won't bother you, or maybe he/she will try to do something, but your wicked dance moves will beat him." Nick said. I laughed. "Yeah, I'll waltz him right out of the park." Sigh. I should call Leigh and make sure she's alright. She's probably sleeping, but I need to check. I dialed her number. It rang twice, then somebody picked up. There was a short pause. "Hello. I am your worst nightmare." Someone answered. It was a man's voice. "Who are you?" "Your worst nightmare, but don't worry, Leigh is fine." Then I heard Leigh screaming,"Howie! Help me! I'm at home!" I hung up. "OH MY GOD! The person is at Leigh's house holding her captive. I gotta get down there. You stay with Brian." With that, I ran out of the hospital and jumped into the car. I sped out of the parking lot and onto the highway.

When I got to my house, I had a feeling he knew I was here, or that I was coming. I had to be very careful. While still in the car, I called 911. They would bring back up, and help me get Leigh and capture the person. I silently got out of the car and went around to the back of the house. The basement lights were on, and I could hear the person talking to Leigh. Luckily, the back door was open, and I silently went down the stairs. I started to get scared, but I needed to save my fiancee. Anything could happen. He could kill her if I don't do something. I peeked around the corner. Leigh was tied to a pole, and the person had his back to her and me, watching tv. I silently, very carefully, went up to Leigh and told her to be quiet as I got my knife and cut the rope. She snuck back upstairs, and probably went to the car to call for help. I came up behind the couch, and said, "Should we take this outside, or should I kick your ass in here where no one can hear you?" The person turned around, got up, and backed away towards the wall. I slowly walked towards him. "And no, you're not my worst nightmare, it's the other way around." Suddenly, he made a move. I jumped back, but he caught me in a headlock. I couldn't get out. Then, I thought about what Nick had said earlier about using my wicked dance moves. I thought about what to do. I had a plan. I would elbow him in the face, then do a backflip and grab the umbrella I saw hanging on the closet door. I would smack him with it, run upstairs, and hopefully the SWAT team was there waiting and could capture him.

I counted, one, two, three, then I hit him. He let go, grabbing his face in pain. I backflipped to the closet and grabbed he umbrella. The person didn't move towards me, he was in too much pain. I ran upstairs, still holding the umbrella, and just as I had thought, the SWAT team had just arrived. They swarmed into the house and downstairs. I ran outside to find Leigh. I found her in the car, and hugged her, saying everything was okay, and that the SWAT team had everything under control. I called Nick. "Hey, dude, I kicked his ass in there, man. The SWAT team is in there now, and I have Leigh. We'll know who the person is later on tonight. I'm comin' back to the hospital." I hung up. We drove back to the hospital.

When I got there, Aj was out of his room and in a wheelchair in the waiting room with Brian and Nick. They were glad to see that we were okay. I told them everything that I had done and that we'll find out who the culprit was soon. Then Brian's phone rang. "Hello? Hey Leighanne. Really?? Oh my Gosh that's great!" He hung up. "They found Baylee!" He yelled. "Yes, everything is okay now! I wonder who the culprit is though.."
Chapter 4 by ktbspa
Author's Notes:
Last chapter :c)
Nick's POV

I just got off the phone with Brian. We were supposed to be at the police station right away. They were going to unmask the culprit. I hurried into the car with Anna, and off we went. When we got there, everyone else was already there. I sat down, not being able to wait until we find out who he really is. The cops came in with the person. "Okay, as you all know, this is the perpetrator who has been messing with you guys, hurting you, and your loved ones. Now, we will unmask this human." They took the mask off.

I couldn't believe what I saw. All of us were amazed at who the person was. It was Justin Timberlake. "What the hell?!" I said. "Justin?" The cops made him sit down and tell us why he had done what he'd done. Turns out, he wanted to get back at us for making his fans stop liking Nsync and love the Backstreet Boys. I turned to Brian. "He tried to kill us and our loved one's for THAT?"I said. "I know, he's crazy." Brian said.

An hour later, Justin was behind bars, and we were all at Applebee's eating supper. We were all very happy that we had caught Justin, but still couldn't really understand why he would try to kill us and our loved ones for the reason why he tried. He is one fucked up man, I thought to myself. Brian tapped his glass. "I would like to give a toast to the Backstreet Boys and their future, and their families, and friends, in praise to God that we are all okay."

After supper, Anna and I went to my house and settled down to watch some tv. "I'm glad you're okay now, Anna." I said. "I'm very happy you're okay too, Nick. Even though nothing happened to you." She laughed. "I'm glad you're alright." I put my arm around her. Damn, I love her so much. But it needs to be this way, only best friends. If we go out and something happens, the friendship could be lost, and I don't wanna risk it. She laid her head on my shoulder, and a few minutes later, she was asleep.

Brian's POV

We arrived at home safe and sound, Baylee fast asleep in the backseat. Leighanne was very tired, so she went on in to bed, and made me get Baylee. I picked him up, and carried him into the house, and laid him down on his bed. I kissed his head. "Goodnight my little Backstreet Boy,” I whispered, as I turned out the light. I went into my bedroom. Leighanne had already changed into her pajamas, and was laying down on the bed, half asleep. I got into my pajamas, and got in bed. Leighanne snuggled up close to me, and we fell asleep.

Howie's POV

I took Leigh home after supper, telling her to call me tomorrow so we can get together and go somewhere. As I hopped into bed, I thought to myself that this was actually a great experience. I kicked ass with my dance moves, and learned how to love Leigh more. I couldn't wait until December, when we would get married. I laid down, as I was very tired, and dreamt of our wedding.

Aj's POV
I wheeled myself into my apartment, not being able to wait until I could get some rest. Today was such a long day. Meeting with the guys, car wreck, surgery, police sation, Applebee's, and finally home. I took a look at the ashtray sitting on the table next to the couch. I wheeled over to it, thinking about whether or not I should risk it. I picked it up, thinking, no, I don't wanna risk it anymore. I am quitting, and I threw it in the trash. I got out of my wheelchair and laid down in bed. I was proud of myself. I told myself no to smoking. I had been trying to for years, but could never really do it. This experience had taught me well. Yeah, I'm in a wheelchair, but I stopped smoking. I'll be out of the wheelchair in a few weeks, but if I hadn't stopped smoking, I could be dead instead of alive. I had saved my life. I yawned. I was exhausted. I closed my eyes, dreaming about a healthier man, singing and dancing in front of millions of people. Life was good.
End Notes:
I hope you liked it! It was my first fanfic xD
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9039