Miles Down the Road by goneplatinum
Summary: Mistakes. Road trip. Two friends seek to right a wrong.
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Nick
Genres: Drama
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2925 Read: 781 Published: 07/11/08 Updated: 07/11/08
Story Notes:
Read & review, please!

1. Chapter One by goneplatinum

Chapter One by goneplatinum
Author's Notes:
The idea for this short came soon after "Unbreakable" was released.

Miles Down the Road

Written by Sara (c)2007

 

He stood barefoot on the back porch as the rustling wind whipped his hair from side to side. Staring up at the midnight sky at the twinkling stars as they pushed through the clouds, his shoulders fell as he sighed deeply.

A shrill beeping filled the air as his mobile phone began to vibrate and sing inside his pocket. Flipping it open, he grumbled at the name on the display.

“Hello?”

“Hey,” she said her voice at almost a whisper.

Nick sighed again, this time out of exasperation, “What?”

“I wasn’t going to call…” she trailed off. Nick bit his lip to keep from cursing out loud.

Then why did you?” he barked, clenching his fist tight.

“Be-because I wanted to explain why I…”

“Why you left? Yes, I would appreciate an explanation for that one.” He could feel a dull ache in his temples as they pulsated with each breath.

“I needed some space, that’s all.”

The silence was almost deafening, although Nick was screaming inside his head.

“Some space? Shit. You’ve got to be kidding me.”

His footsteps echoed as he stomped across the cement stones that made up the porch. He wanted nothing more than to take his hands and thrust them around her throat, choking her like he felt inside. 

“Where are you?”

“Minnesota,” she replied simply.

“The fuck?”

“I’m at my parents’ house. I need some time to think, Nick.”

“And you couldn’t have told me that in person because…?”

She sniffled, “I didn’t know how. The words just wouldn’t come.”

“Yeah, and over the phone it is just so much better.” The anger was replaced with sheer annoyance. Girls could be such drama queens, he thought as he continued to pace back and forth, “So, what? You’re not coming back ever?”

“I-I don’t know. Maybe.”

The wind picked up, causing Nick to tumble backwards hitting his back hard against the door. He muttered every obscenity he could think of as he slid down to sit on the ground. Pulling his knees up to his chest he felt the raw emotion crash over him like the rolling waves of on ocean.

“Hello? Nick, are you still there?”

His resolve was slowly crumbling. He sat there as his shoulders heaved with each sob. He absently let the phone fall from his fingers. It fell onto the pavement letting out a loud beep as the colored screen faded to black.

---------

“Nicky, you home? Come on man, open the door.”

AJ glanced around looking for any sign of life inside or out. Re-adjusting his sunglasses, he used his fist to pound on the front door again.

“Okay dumbass.” He took out his iPhone and punched in the string of numbers, “Yo Kaos, you got rehearsal. I’m waiting outside like the goddamn Good Humor Man. Open the fucking door!”

It wasn’t like Nick to completely blow him off or anyone else for that matter. A part of AJ was a little worried, but for the most part he was pissed off.

Pushing ‘end’, AJ rapped on the door once again hoping that Nick was finally in his right mind. However, his request was only met with silence.

“Goddamn,” AJ mumbled. He threw his hands up in defeat, retreating back to his car. The engine soon roared to life. He was about to thrust the gear into reverse, but the nagging feeling refused to leave the pit of his stomach; something just felt off.

“Hey Rok, yeah it’s me. Listen, I’m at Nick’s and he’s not home. You’re the man’s best friend; I thought you’d have better tabs on him than me.”

“Have you tried calling?” Brian asked, his voice laden with concern.

AJ rolled his eyes and sighed. “Did that multiple times, left messages, the whole thing. No answer.”

“Maybe he’s just sleeping. Is his car there?”

“I’m not the man’s personal secretary; how the hell would I know?” AJ looked up towards the garage, “No. Nothing’s parked out front except my sorry ass.”

AJ glanced behind him before backing down the long driveway.

“Wait. AJ, there’s got to be some explanation for this.” Brian interrupted.

With a groan, AJ laid into the brake, “Gee Rok, you think? Got any bright ideas?”

“Could you be any more hostile? Who peed in your cornflakes this morning?”

AJ let out a low growl trying desperately to keep his anger at bay. Gripping the phone, he clicked the key to the off position and kicked open the door with his boot-clad foot. In the light of the late morning sun, AJ sauntered back to the front of the house.

“Okay, what do you suggest I do?” he asked calmly, even though his hand remained clenched in a tight fist at his side, “I can’t see inside ‘cause the curtains are drawn shut.”

“I’m pulling up right behind you.” Brian said.

Startled, AJ spun around to see Brian park and walk up the drive, his face creased with worry.

“Oh good, now if someone calls the cops, I won’t be the only one busted.” AJ mumbled as the two strode up to the house.

“Maybe we could get in the front door somehow,” Brian said, more to himself than anything. AJ chuckled and shook his head in disbelief.

“The door? It’s locked. See, that’s why nothing happens when you turn the knob.” He replied in a condescending tone.

Brian’s eyebrows furrowed and his blue eyes darkened, “If you’re going to mock me, feel free to leave. I’m only looking out for Nick’s best interest and right now, that’s getting in the house.” He glanced towards the side of the house, “There’s a security fence or something in the back, right?”

“Uh, this is Nick we’re talking about, so my bet’s on no.”

“That’s just stupid.”

AJ rolled his eyes, “Dude, there’s a gate surrounding the property, “AJ motioned to the tall wrought iron fence, “Did you get off the short bus this morning?”

Brian blew off his sarcastic comment; he dropped his keys into AJ’s hand, making his way around to the back of the expansive mansion. AJ followed closely behind as they approached the back porch.

“Hey, dude. Are we gonna go all bounty hunter on this place?” AJ asked, somewhat curious and somewhat worried.

“Hmm, yeah. I think we could get in through here.”

“Like I said, we’re going to jail. Incarcerated. The big house. I’ve never looked good in stripes.” AJ rambled, glancing over his shoulder at regular intervals to listen and watch for the feds.

“Knock it off Bone; no one is going to jail.” Brian said through clenched teeth as he jimmied his fingers around the sliding glass door. A thin beading of sweat appeared across his forehead.

Then, all at once, the door popped open. Deeming his maneuver triumphant, Brian grinned at his all-the-while skeptical friend, and waved AJ to go in first. He followed suit, quickly closing the door behind him.

“I feel like McGuyver.” Brian chuckled as they ventured further into the dark house.

“The 80’s are dead, man. Let it go.” AJ said.

There were no signs of life inside the house. A cereal bowl with dried milk at the bottom sat on the counter in the kitchen with a basketball sitting precariously next to it.

“Hey Nicky Nick! Where the hell you at, man?” AJ’s voice boomed through the stagnant air, reverberating off the walls, “Yo Rok, go check out in the garage. See if the car’s here.”

As AJ trudged down the hall of the second floor, he opened doors and looked into each room. It was then when he heard the small, strained sobs coming from the master bedroom.

“Yo Nicky… “ his voice trailed off as his eyes set upon his best friend.

--------

Nick sat in the corner of the large room facing the beige wall completely oblivious to his surroundings. Tears streamed down his tanned face.

“Nicky?” he heard someone call his name. He knew that voice.

“Go away.” Nick whispered, hastily wiping his eyes with the back of his hand, “I screwed up. Please, just go away.”

“Dude, what in hell are you talking about?”

Nick slammed his fist down on the carpeted floor, “Damn it, I said leave me the fuck alone!”

“Yo Bone, the car’s here…”

“Found him. Said he screwed up. Now, screwed what up I have no flippin’ clue.”

Nick struggled to his feet, keeping one hand on the wall. He slowly turned to face the people who now inhabited his space.

“Holy shit. What’ve you done, Nick?” AJ asked in a hushed tone, taking a step in Nick’s direction.

Nick held one hand out to him, as if to say ‘stop’. Two pools of blue once vibrant and full of life now resembled tires that had the air let out of them. His lower lip jutted out, albeit briefly, as another tear escaped.

“She’s gone.” Nick said with a shrug of his shoulders.

“Mady? Mady’s gone?” Brian asked as Nick’s gaze turned down to the floor, “Gone where?”

“Minne-fucking-sota.” Nick replied shortly.

“Come on.” AJ said suddenly. Nick looked up in surprise, “D-don’t ask questions, just… come on,” said AJ.

“What? Where?” Asked Nick.

“To get Mady back.”

------

“Wait—why are you doing this? Why are we doing this?” Nick questioned as AJ grappled for an empty rolling suitcase. He flung it up on to the unmade bed. He sighed, sat down, and took off his shades. Rubbing the bridge of his nose, he thought of what he wanted to say.

“Because I know how much you love Mady, and frankly, it kills me to see you like this.” He replied, looking up at the tall blond. “And, because I would hope if I were ever in the same situation, that you’d do the same for me. Me or any of the other guys.”

“But this is my mistake, not yours. I should fix this, or try to, on my own.” Nick said, shaking his head as he began pacing the length of the bedroom. “Not that I don’t appreciate the gesture, but…”

“Then take the gesture, grab some clothes, and quit questioning my motives. It is what it is.”

Sure it was a spur of the moment decision. Sure it was slightly insane.

“Are we driving?” Nick asked, confused. The pacing stopped momentarily as his mind tried desperately to catch up with the reality of it all.

AJ smirked, “No, we’re going to hop on the wings of Puff the Magic Dragon and fly. Of course we’re driving. Correction, I will be driving. I don’t trust you with my ride.”

“Oh come on, it was just that one time.”

“Enough of the logistics, dude. Get your ass in gear and pack up what you think you’ll need.”

Out in the waning sunlight, with the back of AJ’s black Range Rover open, Nick hefted the large bag up and into the backseat. Wiping his hands off, he turned to his group mate and gave a small smile. AJ lowered an eyebrow, concerned that Nick was secretly scheming up some sort of plan.

“Thanks Bone.”

“Uh, ‘squeeze me?” he replied, cupping an ear in Nick’s direction. “Care to share that one more time?”

Nick rolled his eyes, “I said thank you.” He faced the sun for a second, soaking up the last bits of sunshine, “Not sure what would have happened if you and Bri hadn’t shown up.”

“Eh, no biggie. Just looking out for my little brother.” AJ said, slapping Nick on the back. “Come on, we have to stop by my place before heading out.”

-------

The black sport utility vehicle encasing the two already wary travelers kicked up bits of dirt as it sped down a long desolate expanse of highway. With the sun settling slowly behind the horizon, Nick let out a yawn as the song changed, stretching his arms out and above his head.

“Keep that up and we’re gonna have to stop soon. “ AJ spoke up as a yawn escaped from his own mouth, “I need me some caffeine.”

“Dude, I haven’t seen anything period for hours. “ Nick glanced down at the wadded-up map that AJ had stuffed in the cup holder in a fit of rage, “You sure we don’t need that thing?”

“Oh ye of little faith. You fail to acknowledge the wealth of information that my brain holds.”

“He who can’t find a Coffee Bean in the middle of the desert.” Nick chortled, “Hey Bone, can I ask you something?”

“Sure man, anything.” AJ replied. He reached over and turned down the volume, making the silence all the more prevalent. “What’s up?”

“Why is love so damn complicated?”

AJ snorted, casting a glance at the road then back at his friend, “You’re asking me this? The man with more failed relationships than stars above?”

“I don’t know. I mean if this thing with Mady weren’t love, would I really be here right now?”

”Would you be here in the middle of Bumfuck, USA population 46? Not likely.”

“No girl has ever made me feel this messed up inside before. I can’t imagine being without her,” He admitted with a shrug.

“Looks like Nicky’s been bitten by the love bug.” AJ said with a rueful smile, patting him sympathetically on the leg.

Nick let out a groan in response. He settled back as the dark night came up to meet his heavy, blurry mind.

-------

“You are now entering Minnesota. Well about fucking time.” AJ whooped at the sight of the large green and white road sign. “I thought we were gonna end up in the depths of hell pretty soon. Yo Nicky, you alive?”

Nick felt his head jerk forward and his slumber was disturbed abruptly. Again. He rubbed his bloodshot eyes and settled them on AJ, who was now singing along at the top of his lungs with some random country western song coming from the sound system.

-------

 “Can I help you?” An older man, probably mid-fifties, opened the door and took a step down to the front stoop. He took off his wire-rimmed bifocals and lowered his eyebrows at the strangers who stood before him.

“Is Mady here? I mean, Madelyn?” Nick choked out, digging his trembling hands deeper in to his pockets. He cleared his throat as the man casually gave him a once over, “Does Madelyn Barton live here?”

“Yes. She does.” the man questioned, his eyes dark with confusion. “May I ask who you are?”

“Nick Carter. I’m her… “

“Boyfriend. Yes. She’s mentioned you.” Mr. Barton interjected, spitting out the words as if they had a bad taste. “What is it exactly that you want, Mr. Carter?”

Taken aback, Nick fumbled for the words, “C-can I see her, please?”

“She’s downstairs.” Mr. Barton replied. Although annoyed, he knew confrontation was not the answer. He stepped aside, allowing Nick to enter. AJ hung back, feeling more like the third wheel.

“Yo man, I’m just gonna be in the car. Maybe go search out a hotel for the night.”

Nick nodded in approval, slapping his retreating back. Taking in another deep breath, Mr. Barton pointed out the staircase, “Thank you.”

Nick padded down the steps, taking them two at a time. The lights were down low, casting shadows over the walls. His eyes searched across the large family room for any sign of movement. 

“Nick?” came a small voice from the corner of the room.

Wiping away the sleep from her eyes, Mady sat up and glared at him. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“I could ask you the same thing.”

Rising to her feet, unsteadily as it were, Mady wrapped the giant fleece blanket tightly around her shoulders. Her icy stare sent daggers into Nick’s soul, “How dare you come to find me here.”

 “Uh, sorry?” Nick asked incredulously. Had he heard what he thought he did?

“When I said I needed some space, it was space without you in it.”

Nick raked his hands through his hair, “Why? Why did you just take off?”

“I couldn’t tell you.” She said, sounding more and more like a broken record.

“Tell me what?”

The tension in the room was to thick it could’ve been sliced, diced, and filleted with a knife. At the end of his rope, Nick grabbed Mady and held her close to his chest.

“Please don’t.” Mady cried as she pushed and fought against his strong arms. “Please, let me go.”

Succumbing to the unshed tears that had built up in his throat, Nick buried his face in her deep red curls, his body convulsing against hers as the pain poured from his broken heart.

“I love you, Mady.” He felt her muscles tighten and loosen all at once, “Why did you leave?” He asked again, examining her solemn appearance.

Hesitation playing a definite part, she finally let the blanket slip down to the floor. A small, protruding bump around her middle caught Nick’s glance.

“I’m pregnant.”

------

 

 

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9133