Will You Be... by Teri
Summary:

Being single in the city isn't always what the television shows make it out to be. It's not one swinging party after the next. Sometimes being alone is just that, lonely. What happens with two people; one a humble passionate pastry chef from Manhattan and the other, a single father in LA; find out they're not so alone after all?


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Angst, Dramedy, Humor, Romance
Warnings: Death, Graphic Sexual Content, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 81351 Read: 57524 Published: 11/09/08 Updated: 05/08/09

1. Chapter 1: Some Hearts Just Get All The Right Breaks by Teri

2. Chapter 2: Rash Decisions Don't Itch Do They? by Teri

3. Chapter 3: Leaving On A Jet Plane by Teri

4. Chapter 4: Kismet by Teri

5. Chapter 5: In the City, City of Angels, Lonely as I am.... by Teri

6. Chapter 6: The Blue Note by Teri

7. Chapter 7: Bloody Mary, Full of Grace by Teri

8. Chapter 8: The Night Before The Morning After by Teri

9. Chapter 9: Falling, Falling Fast by Teri

10. Chapter 10: Flashbulb Glare by Teri

11. Chapter 11: Evergreen by Teri

12. Chapter 12: Revelations by Teri

13. Chapter 13: All I Want For Christmas Is You by Teri

14. Chapter 14: Decode by Teri

15. Chapter 15: Mercy by Teri

16. Chapter 16: Facing the Music by Teri

17. Chapter 17: Handle With Care by Teri

18. Chapter 18: Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition! by Teri

19. Chapter 19: Sex On Fire by Teri

20. Chapter 20: Freudian Slips by Teri

21. Chapter 21: Poker Face by Teri

22. Chapter 22: Revelry by Teri

Chapter 1: Some Hearts Just Get All The Right Breaks by Teri
Author's Notes:
So yes, another Nick romance. I know, I know but I can't help it, he's just SO easy to write about. Anyways, this was an interesting storyline that has been bugging me for months to post. I'm almost done with the second chapter and decided to begin posting this. (Yes I will be finishing my series AND my other stories) This is yet another sideproject I have going...woo! lol. Enjoy and please let me know what you think!!

Will You Be... By Teri

Chapter One: Some Hearts Just Get All The Right Breaks

 

Despite the steam escaping from the manhole covers throughout the already bustling streets of the city that never sleeps, a buttery sweet smell of fresh frosting and rolled fondant wafted out the open windows of Hearth and Home Cakes located in upper Manhattan. Inside the kitchen Marie De Luca stood wiping her hands with a damp towel grinning at the large four-tiered wedding cake she'd just finished. She inspected it closely smiling at the delicate fondant flowers that decorated the ornately designed cake.  Proudly she turned the cake making sure the fondant was smooth almost like a glassy frozen lake and all the decorations were as flawless as they could be.    

Her silent appraisal of her work was interrupted as her friend and business partner Anthony stood in the doorway. "Tell me you didn't stay up all night here working on this?"

Marie looked over and rolled her eyes grinning at him. "Oh shush it's worth it." She shot back as she turned her attention back to her creation before her.  He shook his head at her and moved over to the side of the marble counter top and helped her lift the nearly 200 pound cake over onto the rolling tray to be taken out to the refrigerated delivery van. She sighed in relief as she watched Anthony and her other workers, Rhianne and Rebecca pull it out to the truck. She grinned to herself and turned and walked into the back through a short hallway and into her personal office that held her work computer and files. She clicked on the computer and checked her email from her business website. A few moments later she checked her email seeing a new message.


Hey hon, how've things been? I'm sorry it's been so late in getting back to your email.
Work has been crazy busy lately with all the contracts I've been getting. I'm actually
going to be stopping by in good ole NYC soon on my way to Ibiza for the holidays on a
shoot there. I won't be getting back until February. Anyways I really hope to see you
when I'm in town next week. Write back soon!

Marie grinned widely at the message and replied back glad that her friend from LA would be coming to stop by in the midst of her travels. At that moment Rebecca walked back into the back office. She grinned at her. "What's up Bec?" She asked noting her friend's concerned yet curious expression.

"Nothing much just wanted to see if you were going to finally take some time off for the holidays." Rebecca asked continuing her curious glance at her friend and boss.

Marie rolled her dark brown eyes and untied her hair from the back of her head letting her dark espresso hair cascade around her shoulders. "Becca...seriously this is always our busiest time of year I couldn't possibly take a break now."

"Why not, it's not like you need to be here to run things. Hello, you do have us that can handle the load. You taught me everything I know about cake design and decoration and I'd like to show you that I can hold my own."

Marie grinned widely at her for her ambition and willingness to prove how much of an asset to the business she really could become. "You're sure you want to take on that much responsibility? I mean say if I decide to go, would you be able to handle a crisis situation?"

"Yes. I've handled them before; remember when that hotel housekeeping staff ate an entire wedding cake on us the night before a wedding. Who was there to help you get another one done in time? Oh...that'd be me." She replied taking a seat and laughing a little as she remembered the stress of that day.  It had shocked them both that the staff had decided to indulge in something that was clearly marked to be off limits. But then again Murphy's law always came into play with anything Marie tried to do.

Marie sighed, she knew she should take some time off. Looking down at her hands, when was the last time she'd gotten a manicure or even a massage? It'd been far too long to count when she'd actually taken the time to do something purely for herself. "Well if I do decide to go on vacation you'll be the first to know I promise." She said hoping that would be enough to diffuse the conversation for the time being. For the rest of the day she spent working on the next design sketches for an intricate quincenera cake for a friend of Becca's family. She tapped her pencil willing her creative juices to begin to flow.

Not being able to come up with more than just the basic form and structure of the cake she sighed in frustration. She set her pencil and sketchpad down standing up. Deciding on going to clear her head with a walk through her favorite bookstore. She went over shedding her white chef jacket and pulled on her thick black Marc Jacobs wool trench coat. She walked out to the front seeing Anthony Rhianne and Becca all standing there, Becca on the phone with a client, Rhianne rolling some freshly made fondant out.

"Where ya off to?" Anthony asked with a curious grin.

Marie smiled and took a breath. "Just going to the bookstore you know..." She said waving her hand near her forehead. "To clear my head maybe get some inspiration on that Quincenera cake."

Anthony gave her a sympathetic grin and smiled, "I'll hold down the fort for you while you're gone, if anyone calls I'll take a message for you."

She nodded and bit her lower lip. "Thanks hon I shouldn't be very long." She said walking to the door holding her jacket closed as she opened the door feeling the blustery cold wind begin to bite at her skin. She bundled up and walked out braving the freezing New York air and walked down the street and around the block looking up at the large high-rise buildings that surrounded the already congested streets. She smiled to herself and looked ahead seeing her favorite bookstore. She pushed open the door with a ring of the bell attached smiling to the clerk at the front register as she made her way through the store towards the back. She perused the shelves taking a book off of one and thumbed through its crisp pages gingerly skimming the paragraphs finding some interesting sentences here and there.

Once she had made her selections she walked over to the cookbook section and grinned at all the various books not seeing any new ones she'd yet to purchase. On her way over to the register she stopped by the travel section picking up a book or two and looking at the various locations that were in stark contrast to the densely populated island of Manhattan that she called home. She wondered if she really even wanted to take a chance, experience someplace new someplace she had yet to discover geographically and maybe even within herself at the same time. She remembered back to when she was in pastry school and how she always had jumped at every single chance to travel around the world figuring she was young and probably would never get the opportunity to ever again. Setting the book back on the shelf then heading to the register to make her purchases she thought maybe it was indeed time to discover some new territory for her and see where it would lead her.

---


Meanwhile almost three thousand miles away on the other coast Nick stood listening to his sister rant and rave about his recent string of failed blind dates. "Nick come on seriously you work all the time and then you come home to more work. When are you going to take time out for yourself?" Angel asked concerned for her own brother's sanity. Ever since he'd decided to jump back into the dating scene after his last relationship had ended tragically she'd tried to help by setting him up on blind dates. Unfortunately for him and those dates he still compared everything they did, said or wore to the one who had stolen his heart.

"I do things for myself. This whole dating thing is something I'm doing for myself isn't it?" He reasoned feeling like he was trying to convince himself even more so than his endearing yet meddlesome sister.

"No you're doing it because of other reasons and you know it mister. You think they need a mother and really they just need positive female influences like their aunties have been to them since everything happened."

Nick grimaced he hated thinking of how he had to rely on his sisters to be the female presences in his own daughters' lives. The one place that should and always have been reserved for their mother. But she's not here anymore...He thought to himself in bitter grief. He'd come to terms with losing Anna and accepted that she was gone but it still stung just to even think of what she was missing from their children's growth and development. He knew he couldn't blame her after all she'd done nothing wrong but be in the wrong place at the wrong time. He turned and looked over his shoulder seeing his youngest, three-year-old, Livie, napping on his bed that morning. His grief stricken expression softened and he grinned a little. He'd always be grateful to Anna, the woman who'd not only loved him during the most tumultuous years of his life but also committed her life to his and gave him the two most beautiful little girls he ever laid eyes on.

"I don't care Angel...Maybe I'm just not ready yet for a serious relationship I mean come on my last one ended pretty abruptly." Nick reasoned as he turned back and gripped the railing to the balcony of his home in Malibu.

"Nick you do realize that Anna would want you to be happy. It's been two years you are doing the right thing by moving on." She reassured as she continued to pack her bags for her trip. "It's not like I'm asking you to contemplate marriage with these girls. Just you know give ‘em a chance. Get to know them, let them get to know you."

"I'm a single father and a musician. I can't really let them get to know me very well without the D-a-d-d-y title getting a lot of attention."

"So don't talk about my nieces. Talk to them about you're personality, talk to them about them. I know it's been quite a while since you've been out in the dating world and all but seriously Nick girls like to see that you're interested in them. Even if you have to fake it a little bit. You used to be a huge player and..."

"And that changed. Anna changed me and hell I have daughters now I can't imagine just randomly sleeping with women now that I have two little girls to take care of it's just so frustrating and confusing you know?"

"Why is it so confusing?" She countered as she zipped up her toiletries bag.

Nick shrugged to himself and heard the balcony door creak open. "Angel I gotta go I have a munchkin that's awake." He said closing his eyes. He hated to admit it but he really did need a woman around, if only just to help raise his two very precocious daughters. He rang off with his sister and turned seeing Livie standing there in her lavendar pajama top and pants rubbing her eyes from the intense sunlight that hit her newly awakened eyes and her wavy white-blonde locks sticking every which way. "Hey dollface." He said making her grin at the term of endearment. "Sleep well?"

She nodded and walked over to him hugging his leg. Nick grinned at her and lifted her up onto his hip. "Who was that on the phone Daddy?"

"Aunt Angel. She's getting ready to go to Ibiza for a modeling contract she got." Nick explained simply as he turned them to look out to the ocean.

"I'm gonna miss her." She whispered and laid her head on her father's shoulder. Nick rested his head against hers as well and used his other arm to rub her back. Livie sighed and then moved to look at her father's face. He grinned at her adoringly as she messed with his hair. "Daddy why do you have hair on your face?" She asked continuing her very inquisitive streak that she'd recently fallen into.

He chuckled and carried her into the house. "Well missy, daddy's very lazy and decided he didn't want to shave so the hair is growing."

"I don't shave...why don't I have any?" She asked with her bright blue eyes wide and full of curious wonder.

Nick sighed and grinned at her trying to find something to say that would satisfy her voracious curiousity. "Well Liv it's because you're a girl. Girls don't get much hair on their faces and what hair they do we normally can't see it."

"Oh...Okay." Livie replied with a grin as he carried her down the stairs seeing his oldest, five-year-old, Jo, standing in the kitchen cracking eggs into a bowl.

Nick set Livie down on the floor letting her run over to her older sister and pull up a barstool at the island counter to watch her. "Since when did you learn how to crack eggs open?" He asked as he gave Jo a kiss to the top of her light brown hair. She looked up and smiled widely at him.

"No where special..." She said simply. That statement had become her answer to anything her mother had taught her. He sighed figuring it was her coping mechanism kicking in to protect herself from remembering her mom.

Nick gave her a look and helped with the cooking and whisking the eggs to make an omelette for the three of them to share. "Joanna Danielle did you mother teach you how to do that?" He asked giving her a look that demanded honesty.

Jo rolled her hazel eyes, the same color that her mother's were. "Yeah..." She said chewing on her lower lip. She was only three when her mother had abruptly left their lives and it stung her the most that she had died. It wasn't that she wasn't close to her father, but in some ways she was always closer to her mother than anyone in the entire family. Now that she was the oldest female in the house, at the ripe old age of five she decided to make sure that her father wouldn't feel the pain as badly as he might be without her help.

"It's okay to miss her you know. I miss her all the time." Nick said simply trying to provoke at least a little bit of a reaction out of his daughter. Ever since Anna had died two years ago he'd watched as Jo took to being his protector and at the same time tried to become the perfect daughter.

Jo gave her dad a look and shrugged, "You miss her?"

Nick nodded, "Every day. It's okay to be sad about losing her. But at the same time, she'd want you to be happy at the time we had with her too." He said ruffling her long stick straight brown hair. He grinned at her making her smile at him and tossed everything into the hot skillet both girls ooh-ing at the loud sizzle the food made as it hit the searing hot pan. He finished up the omelette dishing it up in threes and taking a seat at the island counter. They ate silently for a moment until a rather loud belch emanated from Livie.

"Liv! Ew!" Jo shrieked in disgust.

Nick set his fork down and laughed. "Nice one Liv." He remarked patting her shoulder. He thought it was the funniest thing in the world that the youngest of his daughters would take to his less than socially appropriate attributes.

"Your turn Daddy!" Livie said wanting to giggle at her father.

Nick rolled his eyes and gave her a look but instantly melted by the sweet grin that played upon her lips. "Alright, alright..." He said as he began swallowing air and then let out a small burp to start making Jo roll her eyes at him. He gave her a look knowing that if it got loud enough she'd break her grossed out expression in favor of a grin. He let out a loud belch that made Jo's face crumble into a fit of laughter.

"Again!" Livie shrieked then belched again trying to out do her father.

"No I think we're good, you two need to get ready for school."

Livie rolled her eyes and sighed hating to have to go to preschool. If it weren't for the massive social interaction it gave her she'd hate going entirely. Jo, on the other hand was quite the little bookworm for a kindergartener she was always bringing something home for Nick to frame or place on the refrigerator proudly. It astounded him how much she had taken after her mother, excelling in school to the point where her teachers were recommending that she'd reach first grade in no time at all.

Clearing their dishes into the sink, Nick shuffled then them up the stairs and got them both ready and all together and into his truck. He did love their usual rides to school, he wasn't like most parents who kept CD's of The Wiggles or Sesame Street readily available. Instead the girls got their own education on the way to school each day. He grinned as he heard their voices loudly yelling the lyrics, or at least what they thought were the lyrics to Hungry Like The Wolf.

After dropping them off at the school, bidding farewell to them for the day he sighed and made the 20-minute drive home. Once he arrived home he walked up the stairs and sat on his unmade bed. He looked to his nightstand seeing a picture of himself and Anna, from their wedding day. He'd been completely scared about being a husband at the age of 22 let alone becoming a father. He and Anna had dated for a year previous to their wedding and had planned on tying the knot eventually; only Jo had come along to speed up the process. After they married the two spent four blissfully happy years together before everything came crashing down one windy afternoon in late November.

"You're going to the store after you get done with class right?" He asked hoping that she'd have the time after her meetings and her classes to go food shopping for the rest of the week.

Anna grinned into the phone and sighed contentedly. "Yes babe seriously you worry too much!" She retorted making him snicker at her. "Yes I'll get everything we need, I'm sorry about not getting it before, just this midterm is driving me up the wall."

Nick chuckled and looked over to the living room where Jo and Livie were playing with blocks. "Well you're the smartass that decided to go back to school."

Anna giggled a little and sighed at him, "Yes I know. Just think though once I have my degree I'll be able to tutor the girls when you go on tour in January so we can travel together as a family." She replied, knowing that touring as a family is what he loved even more than touring itself. It allowed him to really bond with the girls on his days off and take them to see all the places he'd seen in his lifetime. It also let them see their father in his glory, with screaming fans and blaring music at every show. Even though he kept them well hidden from the fans, opting to not expose the girls at such a tender age. The fans did occasionally catch a glimpse of them but really nothing more. The past nine months they'd spent on tour had been certainly a whirlwind adventure. Between all the press and sight seeing on his days off.

He grinned at her statement and looked over to the girls again. "You're positively evil you know that?"

"Why because I tamed the infamous Nick Carter and got knocked up?"

"Yes exactly." He joked back biting the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing. "So when will you be home?"

Anna glanced at her watch noting the time and the number of hours it would be until she could return home again. "I'll be home tonight, probably for a late dinner...Let the girls eat without me I don't know how long my meetings and my classes are going to last today."

"Okay, so I guess that means pizza tonight." He said with his tone crescendo to allow the girls to hear him. A collective "yay!" came from the living room making both Nick and Anna chuckle at the response.

"Wow there is no denying that their your kids babe." She remarked into the phone. She saw the other students begin to file into the lecture hall and got up gathering her bag.

"Hey hon I gotta go I'll see you tonight?"

"I'll be here. Love you..."

"I love you too. See you tonight."

Those had been the last words they had exchanged. Nick laid back onto the bed and stared at the ceiling sighing in sadness. He hated that he still missed her to this day. He knew he'd never fully get over losing her but he'd come to terms with her physical absence over the course of the previous two years, fully immersing himself into the dual role of parenting. He'd not only gotten Jo out of toddler age and gotten Livie completely potty trained on his own with minimal advice from the friends of his who indeed were parents. It was definitely a lot to take in all at once, in one night he became not only a widow but both a mother and a father to the girls. It wasn't something he took to very easily but as time passed and with the support of his band mates and family he had been able to find somewhat of a balance between career and family. Now if only he could bring himself to having a proper date with a woman without automatically thinking of what she'd be like with his children.

He figured it was his old protective instinct coming through to keep any one who was less than worthy from his children. He knew it was also in part, his own defense mechanism to keep women away from his own heart as well finding any minor fault to be quite the deal breaker. It had to change, this he definitely knew. But how, that was the question at hand.

----

Marie sat on her overstuffed chair with her legs swung over one of the arms as she read one of her favorite novels. She imagined the Far East as the author had painted it in a completely different era. She thought what the streets looked like and how the people dressed and she grinned to herself making a silent promise to go there one day.  ‘Yeah, yeah just like you promised you wouldn't become a complete workaholic and actually enjoy your life' she scoffed to herself. She sighed setting her book down and pulled her laptop off the coffee table that was just in arms reach so she wouldn't have to disturb her most comfortable position. She flipped it open and just began surfing the web. Bored within just a few moments she checked her email once more seeing she had a new message.

Hey, me again just got your reply. I'll be getting into NYC tomorrow.
Is it possible to meet for lunch? I know kind of short notice and all but I
really want to see you before jetting off to Europe. Anyways I'll be stopping
by the bakery tomorrow anyways to say hi. I can't wait to see you we have so
much to catch up on!


Marie grinned and closed her laptop feeling the exhaustion from her busy day begin to really sink in. She set the computer back onto the coffee table and got up from the chair reaching her arms above her head stretching out her tired muscles. Yawning as her body contracted back to normal she shuffled her slipper covered feet across her hardwood floor over to the short stairs that lead to her bedroom. She walked in smiling to herself at how much she loved her cozy little hideaway from all the hustle and bustle of the busy city below her. Shedding her slippers she left them by the bed and sat on the edge of the marshmallow-esque comforter and set her clock for the same early time she always did so she could get to the bakery early enough to get started on more of her clients' requests. Clicking off the light in the room she pulled back the covers and nestled herself into a cocoon of warmth and absolute comfort.

Suddenly feeling restless she pulled a pillow to her hugging it as she breathed deeply and closed her eyes, trying to stave off her loneliness for another night. She knew it wasn't easy to be a businesswoman and balance that with an active love life. But she seemed, at least as of late, to have hit an extraordinarily long dry spell. She figured it had to do with how busy she'd gotten in the past few months with word finally getting out about her specialty cakes and her clientele had in fact been skyrocketing. But what ever it was, she knew she had to find some balance that something had to give way so she could be able to find that happiness, that fulfillment that work didn't offer. Whatever it may be she knew something had to change. It wasn't that she wasn't happy to be a single independent girl, but at the same time her heart longed for someone to be there to share it with her, to share her successes and to help her move on from any failures.
    
She heard her grandmother's words in her head once more, "Chances are if you leave it up to fate, you'll find the right man right under your nose". She knew her sweet old grandmother was right. If she just waited long enough, fate would find her. She just wished that fate would hasten its search.
 
End Notes:
as always read and review - thankees!
Chapter 2: Rash Decisions Don't Itch Do They? by Teri
Author's Notes:
So for the wonderful response I got from the first chapter I decided to post the second! I'm working on WSIT at the moment hope to have another chapter of that out today too (hopefully). Enjoy and lemme know what you think!
Chapter Two: Rash Decisions Don't Itch Do They?
    
    Marie grinned as she walked from the back office into the large warm kitchen. "Morning Becca." She said gleefully. As much as her loneliness from the night before was just a faint memory as she happily began her day.

    Becca gave her an odd look. "Did you get laid by a mysterious lover you've been hiding from me all this time?" She asked with a growing snarky grin. She knew it really wasn't true but she couldn't help but get in a playful sarcastic jab at her best friend.
   
    Marie rolled her eyes and giggled a little, "Unfortunately no...but when I do get laid Bec, you'll be the first to know." She assured jokingly. She loved having such a close friendship with Becca. They'd met in culinary school and had helped her through sanity and lots of study breaks with conventional business school after getting into the field. They'd worked together at restaurants and had always talked about working in their own place someday. Once Marie had finally secured the right financing and began her business she knew that she was going to need a friend, someone that she could really count on to help her out. She knew she already had Anthony, her best friend from business school at NYU , but she also knew that she'd need someone who could help her run the baking end of the deal. "Anyways what's up?" Marie asked grinning.

    "Not much just wondering how you're doing? You've been kind of really into the whole business thing and I'm just worried." She said beginning the same discussion as the day before.

    "I just want to be here that's all. I mean yeah it's been a while since I've gone out on a date or anything but I'd rather be here than out in the dating world."

    "Isn't it lonely though?" She posed playing devil's advocate with her friend. She hated to see her best friend throw away the balance between career and love just because she didn't really want to bother with the dating world and how for every 100 wrong matches there was maybe one right match.

    "Not everyone can fall madly in love with their high school sweetheart Bec." Marie retorted reminding her best friend that what she had with her own husband was truly a rare occurrence. "I mean granted I was engaged once, but seriously look how that turned out...here I am single in the city." She joked back reminding herself of her last and longest relationship. Her then boyfriend had proposed and they had been engaged for about a month before they both mutually broke it off. The feelings that had been between them had dulled into nothing really more than friendship.

    "You're extremely difficult you realize this?"

---
   
Nick buttoned his white linen button down shirt then rolled the sleeves up to his forearms silently hoping the slightly dressy, and mainly casual attire would be kosher on his blind date. He studied his reflection in the mirror mentally trying to hype himself up for the evening. He didn't want to admit the more than slight feeling of dread in the pit of his stomach. He knew all of his friends were only trying to find him someone that could be a good companion but every time it turned out to be someone who he would have dated back before he was a father. They were usually Hollywood types, pretty, rich but horridly vapid. He heard small footsteps behind him and looked down in the mirror seeing Livie's blonde waves peeking above the countertop. "Yes Miss Livie?" He asked faking a southern accent. She giggled at the name and reached her hands up to him to hoist her up onto the counter. He gave her a stern look but melted at her grin and reached down hoisting her up onto the counter letting her scoot back enough to where she could lean back against the mirror.
   
    "Where ya going Daddy?" She asked with innocent curiosity. He sighed and gave her a sympathetic look studying her honest expression. He figured that of the two girls Livie was truly going to be the biggest handful. She was always the first to ask questions, question authority in school and at home. While at some times he found that to be one of her best traits that she was an individual and thought for herself even though she was only 3 years old but at other times it infuriated him to no end that she couldn't just accept certain things. He realized that she was a lot like him in many ways, a ball buster, and a bit of a troublemaker like he was in his younger days. Maybe it was Karma coming back to bite him in the butt for all the pranks and mischief he'd played on his family and friends growing up.

    "I'm going on a date." He said honestly. He definitely knew being up front and honest with the girls would be the best course of action. While he did sugarcoat it to make it less than what it really was he still valued being honest with them. He figured that if he was honest now, while they're young that they'd be able to build up a really strong trust that when they needed to be honest with him about something that they would be.

    "What's a date?" She asked playing with her father's hairbrush.

    He chewed his lip for a few moments trying to figure out the simplest yet nicest way to put it. "Well Liv...it's like how Mommy and I used to go out to dinner alone. Do you remember any of that?"
   
    "No..." She said quietly. Nick immediately felt horrible for bringing up Anna. He knew that Livie was really too young to remember much if anything at all of her mother. On any normal day Livie didn't really have many memories to fall back on as far as her mother was concerned. She knew her face from pictures and video but remember words she said, remembering certain events were a faint blur to her. She didn't really think about it much as a result, unless someone pointed it out to her that she was the one really gypped out of losing her.

Nick sighed a little placing his hand on her bare knee. "I'm sorry babe, let me rephrase that. It's when a guy takes a girl out to an activity, dinner at a nice restaurant, a movie maybe, the park even..."

"Ohhh the park!" She giggled interrupting a bit.

Nick grinned and squeezed her knee gently, "Yeah well it's to get to know that person better, and maybe fall in love." He explained lightly. He knew she wasn't going to understand the concept of love or really what dating meant but he figured that putting at least some idea of the reality of it into her head at a young age may help her understand it as she grows and matures.

"Like you love mommy?"

"Kinda, though it'll be different than that. But love like that takes a long time and a lot of work to build up. It took Mommy and I a while even after your sister was born to really understand the love she and I had for each other." He tried to explain. He thought it was slightly ridiculous that he was trying to explain the situation to his three-year-old daughter when he himself didn't even really understand the entirety of the situation.

Whatever the case maybe Livie seemed pretty satisfied with that answer and moved forward on the counter giving her father a bear hug. "Well I love you Daddy."

Nick wrapped his arms around her and rubbed her back, "I know and I love you and your sister very much. And I want you to know that if and when I do find someone that doesn't mean I'm going to love you and Jo any less than I do now. It means that you'll have another person who loves you too." Nick picked her up and glanced at his watch noticing it was time for him to get going or else he was going to be late. He carried Livie down the stairs and into the living room where Jo was coloring with Aaron. "Hey Aaron be good to your nieces." He said sternly. Aaron rolled his eyes at him as Nick gave each girl a hug promising he wouldn't be out too late and to get to bed early.

---

    Marie sighed as she sat in her office the following morning. She'd successfully finished her sketch for the quincenera cake. She looked at it noting the large amount of intricate piping she was going to have to do. She shook her head smiling a little. Was this what her life was completely and solely about? Had her work become so engrossing that all she cared about was the next project, the time it would take and the amount of money she was going to make off of that to keep her business in the black? She hated when she got like this, when she frustrated herself to such an end that usually resulted in her throwing her pen, or piping bag across the room in abject frustration.

    Just then Rhianne softly wrapped on the office door bringing Marie out of her silent reverie. Marie smiled expectantly awaiting an explanation for the interruption. "Sorry Mar, but you have a visitor out front." She said simply and Marie nodded appreciatively in return standing up straightening her olive colored chef's coat and walked out to the front smiling widely at the tall lanky brunette who was practically drooling on the glass encased pastries.

"Angel!" Marie exclaimed smiling brightly. Angel stood up abruptly and smiled back reaching over the counter and hugging Marie both of them giggling at the ridiculousness of how they looked to the other customers in the bakery.

"How are things? Looks like you've expanded quite a bit from just a cake decorator!" She smiled back. "I love the pastries, they all look so delicious."

"Yeah Becca and Anthony are in charge of all those goodies, I'm still just a cake maker/decorator." Marie replied happy to give credit where it was due. She loved owning her own business but even more so she enjoyed that she had talented friends who did more than just contribute to the success of the business.

Angel grinned brightly and ordered herself a croissant and grabbed a bottle of water. "Let's go sit outside, I want to catch up!" She said excitedly as they walked out to the patio. "I never get used to the cold winters in New York." Angel said as they sat.

Marie laughed a little, "I don't even think the natives here do either. It's like how I assume the  summer in Death Valley would be only the opposite you know?"

Angel nodded as she picked at her croissant humming in delight at how deliciously flaky it was. "God these things are amazing!" She exclaimed, "How do you make them so layery she said trying to find the right word to describe how good it was."

Marie grinned, "Well I don't know if you'd like it after I tell you how much butter is in one croissant."

"How much....?" She said as she stopped chewing on the pastry and swallowed the small piece that she had been chewing on.

Marie gave her a glance and a devilish grin. "Every croissant has about a half a stick of butter. It's all in the folding process to roll it out and fold it so you eventually have 96 layers of dough and butter." She explained getting a very matter-of-fact tone to her voice. She giggled as she watched Angel's eyes widen and she set the croissant on a napkin and pushed it away from her.

"Dear God...I am never eating one of those things again." Angel said staring at the offending pastry with a look of utter disgust.

Marie laughed heartily at her, "Yeah it's one of the things I love to make but refuse to eat. A lot of the things I make are not good for you. I mean I cut some of the calories and fat from the recipes but croissants you kind of can't without using something even worse like margarine."

Angel listened to her for a moment realizing that food was one of the few things Marie ever talked about anymore. If it wasn't a cake she was designing or a new confectionary goodie she'd created it was about the nutritional facts behind her food. "You know you sound like you need a vacation..." She said a plan forming in her head.

"Yeah a vacation would be nice, but where would I go?  Where would I stay? I mean I know I'd have everything covered at the bakery and could even leave things up to Bec and Rhianne and everyone but still you know me I'm a control freak. I'd be calling them every minute for status updates."

Angel chuckled and shrugged, "What about the West Coast? I mean I could really use someone to watch my dogs for me. My brother is supposed to drop by to feed them and all but yeah he's got a lot on his plate right now. And you need a vacation away from your busy Manhattan life, so maybe you know you could try LA on for size?"

Marie mulled the idea over in her head for a moment, maybe it was a really good thing that Angel had come to see her. She was most certainly in need of a change. Her professional life was booming at the moment but her love life was rather dismal...maybe just maybe a vacation would help her reevaluate her priorities and get her on the right track and when she'd get back she'd realize exactly how to get that piece of her life going as well. "You know what...what the hell. I'm in, I need a vacation and for once in my life I'm going to take it and do something for myself."

"Exactly...when do you want to leave?"

"As soon as I possibly can..." She replied feeling something in her finally snap. It had been too long since she had done anything remotely resembling something selfish and now she felt the extreme compulsion to do so.

---

    Nick hit the punching bag harder than normal, knocking Mike his trainer back a step. "Whoa there, cowboy..." He said smiling at him. Nick's face didn't budge he just kept going getting stronger and stronger every time. He wondered what had gotten into him that had provoked such a fervent effort on his part. Once Nick hit the bag one more time he stopped and looked around the room going over to his water bottle taking a drink quickly before sitting down on a bench. Mike walked over and sat down next to him. "Care to share?" He asked hoping to get more of a gruff reply. It seemed lately that Nick was more mum about his life than usual. In the past he always talked Mike's ear off about his daughters and his life as of late. But it seemed that once he had started getting back out into the dating scene that all of his frustration and anger towards himself and his situation he seemed to clam up and just use the physicality of his work out to essentially ‘work out' his aggressions.

    Nick took a long breath and rested his elbows on his thighs, just above his knees. "Women..." He said softly making Mike smile at him.

    "Are nuts, but you knew that a long time ago. Didn't stop you from marrying one, or having two ferociously adorable girls at home. But what's the problem...?" He asked hoping Nick would elaborate. It was funny to him how his clients always used him like he was a therapist. He figured that it was almost like a woman and her hairstylist an easy way to open up while doing something constructive.

    "Blind date from hell number four thousand and twenty-two." He replied hyperbolically making Mike chuckle at him. "Seriously this girl was horrendous. I mean she started out great, was on time, sweet, good looking and marginally intelligent."

    "So what's the problem? Adam's apple?" He asked trying to make light of the situation.

    Nick hissed slightly and snickered, "No, far too Crying Game for me...Anyways she was great and we went to this great little place and I ordered dessert and it was pecan pie. She asked for a bite, which I gave her and her fucking face blew up like a balloon and she was like ‘oh my God does this have nuts in it?'"

    "And that's a total deal breaker?"

    "Dude I ordered pecan pie and she forgets that pecans are actually nuts. Something was definitely wrong in her head. I spent the rest of the night in the freakin' hospital and she was all consoling me for being there with her. I mean come on first I get the slutty party girls on dates, then the ones who think a casting couch is a euphemism for sex and now this? I swear these women I've been set up with are nuts. And friends or family have set all of them up. It's like wow no one really knows me at all do they? Especially if they think it's kosher to set me up in the first place, let alone with girls that make my first few relationships look like rocket scientists."

At this point Mike could no longer contain his laughter and broke out in loud guffaws much to Nick's chagrin. "At least they knew they were going out in the first place. I mean come on it could have been much worse."

"Define worse? I mean come on where are the nice intelligent women? Hell Anna couldn't have been that rare could she? She was beautiful and had substance and I keep getting these extraordinarily hot girls yet they don't have two brain cells to rub together and you know that's saying a lot coming from me."

"Obviously you were meant to be with Anna, but obviously you're meant to end up with someone else. You'll find her man, when you least expect it." He said trying to give him the best advice he could. Mike stood up and held out his hand. "Come on I have a boxing ring with your name on it." Nick stood up with him and the two of them headed over to the ring.


 
End Notes:
thanks so much and lemme know what you all thought!
Chapter 3: Leaving On A Jet Plane by Teri
Author's Notes:
Cool yet another chapter! I'm excited and the response has been amazing! Thank you all so much for liking this story. I hope you all enjoy!!!
Chapter Three: Leaving On A Jet Plane

    Marie smiled confidently as she zipped up her last bag. Standing in her doorway, Rebecca stood watching her as she waited to take her to the airport. "What?" Marie asked wondering why Rebecca was staring at her so intently.

    "Nothing just I am marveling at the fact that you're finally doing something for yourself. It's a really great thing to see, after all this time." Rebecca replied making Marie shrug and continue to pack. It was true, it had been far too long since Marie had done anything for herself. That was the nature of her psyche, always willing to do something for someone else but never could find the time to do anything for herself. "Maybe you can have some hot sexy fling with some cute California surfer boy or fall for some suave movie star." She added making Marie snicker.

    "Yeah and that would happen on the first of oh let's see oh yeah that's right never!" Marie shot back as she zipped up her other bag. "Besides I'm going to relax, and get a tan, and bask in the wonderful Santa Anna winds while you all back here in cheery dreary NYC get to freeze your butts off." She added on rubbing in the fact that she was going to sunny beautiful southern California, a very stark contrast to the much rougher, tougher cold of the city in the dead of winter. It was like she was going from Siberia to Tahiti in her mind.

    "Seriously though, what are you going to do for over a month? I mean don't you think that's a little long?"

    Marie shrugged, "I've never taken time off, and that's about how long Angel will be gone for, so I figured you and Rhianne and Anthony could handle it. You've been bugging me long enough to let you try your hand at managing everything and if you're successful at it, you realize that means a really nice bonus and more responsibilities here. I think it'll be a great test for the business and for you to see how you can thrive in the stress I deal with on a daily basis."

    Rebecca laughed and shrugged. "I think we can handle it. I mean if there's any issues then of course we'll call but I'm just shocked you actually want to stay away for a whole 5 weeks."

    "You're the one who keeps telling me that I need to break free and do something for myself, to get out there and just take a load off for a while, disappear you know?" Marie replied feeling completely happy and sure with her decision. As much as it was a long time away from her business she knew deep down that this would be good for her. A way for her to just sit back, relax and take things in stride instead of her normal compulsion to obsess over every minute detail of not just a simple cake for a wedding but even over the numbers and marketing plans that Anthony worked tirelessly at to make them one of the few establishments that didn't just become another statistic.

    Marie grabbed her duffel, laptop back and large roller and sighed looking around her room for the last time in what would be five long wonderful weeks she hoped would be waiting for her in Los Angeles. "So are you ready to blow this popsicle stand or what?" Rebecca asked seeing her friend at ease for the first time in a long time when it had absolutely nothing to do with baking or pastries at all.

    Marie smiled brightly and nodded following her dear friend and colleague out of her apartment and down to the street where Rebecca's car was waiting for them to take her to JFK airport. Just before getting into the car Marie looked up to where her windows were all the way up on the 6th floor. She took a breath and sighed Yeah I can do this... She thought to herself smiling and getting into the car, ready to get on with her long overdue getaway.

---

    Nick rolled over opening his eyes slowly seeing a familiar light brown mop of hair. "Hey..." He said sleepily at his oldest daughter. "Why are you up so early?" He asked grinning at her. She shrugged and sighed. He wrapped an arm around her and held her for a moment. He knew that sometimes that saying nothing at all when it came to Jo was the best course of action. Since losing her mom she'd become very introverted and quiet, a stark contrast to the loud and somewhat silly kid she was back then. "So...you gonna talk or am I going to have to tickle it out of you?"

    Jo pushed away from her father and squealed as she captured her foot tickling the bottom of it, her biggest weak spot. "Okay, okay!!!" She shrieked telling him to let her go. When he did she gave him a look, "Do I have to go to Grams?"

    Nick sighed, he knew this conversation was coming, his former in-laws were coming to pick up the girls to spend at their home for an entire week before the holidays, only to be returned to him on Christmas Eve. He knew the girls didn't want to spend so much time away especially with the holiday coming. But he also knew that the holidays were a very emotional time for them. To remember what they lost and that another year had passed since that night. "Yes, your Grams will be very sad if you don't go. And just think when you come back it'll be Christmas Eve and I talked it over with Santa and he said if you're a very extra special good girl for your Grams and Grandpa then he said he'd make an early swing by the house."

    "You talked to Santa?" She asked getting that skeptical glance on her face, one that used to only belong to her mother but now his own daughter had become a professional with the ‘I think you're full of it' look.
    
    Nick smiled and pressed his forehead to hers gently but momentarily. "Are you kidding, we're practically like brothers, got him on my speed dial and everything. How else do you get the best toys ever?" He said perpetuating his fib. He knew it wasn't the best thing in the world to lie to his daughters but for the sake of keeping them innocent and naïve about the world for just a little bit longer he figured a few exaggerations about the myth of the jolly old man in a big red suit would be okay for the time being. "Come on let's go make some breakfast." He said with a grin as he stood up and picked Jo up holding her on his back piggy back style through the house.

---

    Marie settled into her seat in the coach section of the plane the first in her row she took the window so she could watch the world pass her by as she would travel 3,000 miles west from her home in snow cloud filled Manhattan. She looked around the cabin seeing people filtering in and stopped when she saw a handsome man stop on her row. She smiled and fixed her hair mouthing "hi" to him as he looked at his ticket thinking that he was in the right place.

    "Honey...we're down this way..." A pretty redhead said behind him. He moved on quickly and the redhead gave Marie a simple smile and a look as if to say ‘sorry this one's taken'.

    Marie blushed in embarrassment and she looked out the window mentally cursing herself for thinking that flirting on an airplane was a great idea. She blamed the multitude of movies she watched on the premise itself, to find someone worth flirting with on an airplane and have it actually work out. Sighing to herself she took out her blackberry seeing she had a new text message.

Have an awesome trip, you deserve it! - Bec

    She smiled and typed a quick thank you sending it before turning off her phone. She settled into her seat pulling out a very worn copy of one of her favorite books The Beach and sighed depressed to herself. A moment later a young boy and his mother came to sit down next to her, the little boy about 10 years of age bouncing in his seat hyper and the mother looking frazzled and sighed as she sat down. She looked over at Marie and smiled courteously. "Hi I'm Beth." She said simply offering her hand.

    "Marie." She said back shaking her hand. Marie felt a surge of calm rush over her, the woman being so kind to her to just openly say hello like that was definitely something she wasn't used to.

    "This is my son David, he's excited, we're going home to see his father."
   
    "Oh that's awesome. You live in California?"
   
    "Yes, what gave you that impression?"

    "Most New Yorkers don't talk to each other and if they do it's not always with such pleasantry." She replied making the woman smile at her joke of the stereotypical angry New Yorker.

    "I take it you're a native then?"

    "Born and raised in Brooklyn. I live in Manhattan now, own my own business and pay far too much for the apartment that I mortgaged but then again that's New York for you."

    "I can definitely see that, real estate out in California isn't much cheaper. You get a ton more space for the price but at the same time it's a rather large chunk of change for a house out there."

    "I bet. I'm going on vacation. The first in a long time, a friend needs someone to house sit for her so I sort of volunteered."

    Beth smiled and helped her son get his seatbelt buckled as he played with his Optimus Prime action figure. "That'll be nice, and you don't have to fork over money on a hotel. Must be a good friend for you to fly all that way just to house sit."

    "She's a very good friend. We've sort of had a long distance friendship with her career in LA and mine in New York." She replied thinking back to how she had met Angel. She'd been staying in New York working on a few photo shoots around the time of her birthday and had contracted Marie to do her birthday cake for her and her twin brother. They'd hung out to discuss the design ideas Angel had wanted and had struck a friendship with each other in the process and now that friendship had served to finally give her a way to do something for herself for once.

---

    "Livie where is your Frankie-bear?" He shouted trying to find the oh so precious toy in her mound of stuffed animals. Sometimes he really cursed himself for spoiling his children with such an over abundance of toys and trinkets to show his affection. He knew he didn't have to and spent more time with them than anything but at the same time, not having a mother in their life he felt it was necessary to supplement all the time he spent with them with the spoils of toys.
   
    Livie walked in a moment later the bear dangling from her hand. He turned and looked giving her a disapproving glance for a moment. "I found him." She said quietly knowing that look on her father's face meant he was unhappy with her.
   
    "Well I'm glad you found him but I just made a complete mess of your room looking for him. Where was he?" He asked finding his conversation about a teddy bear to be one of the more off the wall conversations he's had with his daughters. Even the tea parties he had attended already didn't even compare to the weirdness he felt whenever he caught himself doing something so completely parental it scared him. For the longest time he never thought he'd ever get to a point in his life where the most important thing was finding a particularly loved teddy bear for his daughter so she could sleep easy at night for the few nights she was going to spend away from home.

    "In Jo's bag...Daddy why do we have to go to Gram's house?" She asked giving her best impression of a puppy with her big doe eyes.

    He chuckled a little and scooped her up deciding on dealing with the mess that he created later. "Well Grams and Grandpa have been wanting you to come stay with them for quite sometime little lady. And still Jo will be there and they have all of Mommy's toys from when she was a little girl for you two to play with."

    "Do you not want us ‘round?" She asked rather bluntly. His face softened and he stopped in his tracks for a moment. It was times like these he really wish he had Anna to word things for him. She'd always had a way with words and had made his life so much easier in getting his odd way of explaining things and then being able to translate it into normal logic for everyone else.

    "No of course I want you and Jo around. You're my little girls, but I promised your grandparents a whole week with the two of you and just think of the fun you're going to have. A whole week without me telling you what to do. And grandma spoiling the heck out of you and grandpa's magic tricks? Don't tell me you don't love those? Or are you already too old for a good magic trick?"

    "Dad, Grams is here." Jo said from the other end of the hall. Nick grinned and set Livie down giving Jo a loving hand on her shoulder as he passed her. He opened the door seeing his former in-laws standing there.

    "Hello honey." Meredith said as she walked in the door giving him a hug. He smiled and hugged her back before she turned to her granddaughters. "Oh my goodness look at the two of you! Jo you are so tall and Livie look at that hair it's beautiful!" She exclaimed kneeling down so both girls could run over and hug her.

Nick smiled at the scene before looking to his feet feeling a hand smack his shoulder gently. "Hey Ted..." He said greeting him.

"How are you son?" He asked getting a concerned look on his face.

Nick shrugged and sighed. "About as good as can be expected, this time of year is always hard." He replied honestly. The holidays were the roughest time for him and for Ted and Meredith as well. He loved that they still treated him so well as if nothing at all had happened but at the same time he knew it was even harder on them, to not be able to see their daughter when they would come to see their granddaughters. "All right you two be good for your grandparents and you'll get extra presents when you come home."

Jo smiled at her father and nodded and Livie's mischievous smile faded and she nodded too. "Okay Daddy we love you!" The both said hugging him as he crouched down to their level.

"Love you too munchkins." He said softly before watching them walk out the door their little duffle bags and mini roller bags behind them as they ran down the driveway to their grandparents' car. "Take good care of em for me." Nick requested as Ted and Meredith each gave him a hug.

"Of course sweetheart, they'll be so spoiled when they come back you won't know what to do with them." Meredith replied making him smile. He watched them leave giving one last wave as Jo and Livie both looked out the back of the car waving and blowing kisses to him. He closed the door and looked around the house sighing at how suddenly the deafening silence came over him. He sighed, having a whole week to himself was definitely going to take some creativity on his part when before this time he hadn't spent time alone in well over a year. And now faced with an over abundance of independence he found himself torn on what he should do. Getting an idea he pulled on some sneakers and decided to head down to the beach for a much needed run.

---

    Marie yawned as she pulled her suitcases down the hallway to Angel's condo. She unlocked the door from the key Angel had given her and looked at the spacious loft. White walls, with cream colored furniture, a small yet workable kitchen. A small spiral staircase that led presumably to the master and guest bedrooms. She looked down seeing a small dog and a larger pit bull run up to her it's tail wagging and a small yet ferocious bark coming from it. "You must be Romeo and Jada." She said leaning down placing her hands in front of both pooches letting him and her smell her. After a moment the pups licked her hand then took off into the condo, Jada went to her earlier spot curled up on the couch and Romeo came back with a small squeaky ball in his mouth dropping it before her feet wagging his tail expectantly. "Can I unpack first? Then we'll play I promise little man." She said trying to appease the pup and laughed at herself for the ludicrousy of her conversation with a dog. She walked up the stairs carrying her suitcases rather awkwardly up the stairs. She found the master bedroom seeing the queen size bed the Japanese kimono design of the bedding and the mirroring art on the walls. She sighed and collapsed on the bed grinning. Oh yeah this is going to be a fantastic vacation...

 
End Notes:
thanks for reading if you have a moment tell me what you thought! thanks so much!
Chapter 4: Kismet by Teri
Author's Notes:
Wow, just wow I am so insanely pleased and thrilled with the fantastic response this story is getting! So much so I decided to update AGAIN! lol I hope you all enjoy and feedback = much happiness and cookies! Thanks so much!
Chapter Four: Kismet

Marie awoke the following morning and looked around the room at her very different surroundings. She listened quietly, hearing a few cars go down the street below the condo. The sound was a stark but welcome difference to the very loud ruckus of New York, the city that really never slept. She looked over at the clock seeing it was only 2:30 in the morning and she sighed, normally back home she'd be up already (with the three hour time difference not withstanding) and in the bake shop listening to the radio, getting her day started. Rebecca would be running around setting up the display case, Rhianne would be opening the register and Anthony would be going over the daily, weekly and monthly numbers before making his way onto the floor to help the girls keep the front looking amazing while Rebecca would run back to help her work on her latest creation.

It would only be after the initial morning rush with the line of people out of the door and half way down the street that Marie would even show her face in the front of her little shop. She knew it was best that in the first few hours of operation that the less amount of people in the front of the store, actually made the flow that much easier on Rhianne, and Anthony.

As much as she loved being so far away on vacation without really a care in the world. She missed her friends a great deal. She contemplated calling them just to say good morning. She sighed resisting the urge as much as she wanted to she knew that calling them in the middle of the morning rush would only slow them down from any significant progress. She got up feeling completely awake despite the seemingly early hour. She stretched and decided to go down to the living room and see what was on television, maybe she could find something to watch even though it was probably all infomercials at this time of morning. She smiled as Jada and Romeo followed her to the sofa curling up next to her as she grabbed an afghan from the back of the sofa and began flicking through the channels hoping to find something to occupy her time.

---

Nick sighed as he read his book shocked that for the first time he was actually reading something that didn't have See Spot Run or Jo's personal favorite Goodnight Moon or even didn't have to make a regular visit to Who-ville. He looked around his office his feet comfortably propped up on his desk as he reclined back in his executive roller chair. The house was so completely quiet without his daughters. With them there it always seemed like the place was much more alive, louder, smelled better. As much as he loved sending them off to see their grandparents, to give them some much needed quality time he still didn't like feeling so alone in such a big empty house.

He looked to his desk seeing a picture of Jo just after she was born, being cradled in Anna's arms. In hindsight everything was simpler then but all the more frightening with becoming a father in the first place. The adjustment period of accepting his responsibilities and role of being a significant parental figure was one of the hardest things he'd ever done in his life. But it made the result all the more worth his initial struggles. Seeing his daughters grow and begin to shape their personalities and what they would eventually evolve to one day was definitely the most wonderful thing in his life.

Sometimes though, just knowing that he was spending these years alone made him wish that he could find someone that could appreciate his situation and maybe even work with him to improve the situation. He definitely did not want to end up finding someone who he thought was absolutely perfect, only to have her be the wicked step mother type to his own daughters. He knew now more than ever that the girl's approval of someone was going to be the ultimate deciding factor before he would ever become completely serious with someone.

But at the same time, he didn't want to make his home feel like a revolving door either. He wasn't sure that he was ready for all the complications that were sure to come with any romantic entanglements let alone trying to find someone to spend his life with. Just then, a shrill ring of his phone interrupted his thoughts. He answered it quickly seeing that it wasn't from his daughters but his brother. "Hey loser..." He said smirking.

"Asshole...how'd you know it was me and not one of my awesome nieces?" Aaron shot back.

Nick snickered and sighed, "Well you see there's this new fangled technology...where it tells you the name and number of the person whose calling you. I think they're going to call it like caller identification system you know? Something simple for people to remember." He retorted sarcastically.

He listened to Aaron's responsive laughter and figured that he must be in somewhat of a good mood. "Dude, are you really that bored over there all alone for a whole week with nothing to do but watch porn and jerk off?" He shot back.

Nick laughed and looked around the room shaking his head. "Dude only you would spend an entire week doing that. But anyways, why'd you call?"

"Can't a guy just call his brother for the sake of calling?" Aaron said delaying the inevitable.

Nick gave a petulant sigh and replied, "What do you want?"

"Angel asked me to go over and feed her dogs and walk ‘em and stuff but I have a meeting tonight with the label and I'm in the studio all day. Could you go over and uhhh take care of it. I know since I gave her Jada and all I promised I'd help while she's gone."

Nick took a long breath and shook his head. "Aaron what am I going to do with you?"

"Be extra nice and do this for me?" Aaron asked hopefully. "I mean come on it's just Romeo and Jada so it's not like you don't know what to feed them or anything."

"Fine..." Nick said knowing that if he didn't agree now that Aaron would just keep nagging him until he would buckle under extreme annoyance. "Seriously why do I put up with you?" He asked snickering under his breath.

"Because you love your baby brother that's why." Aaron stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"That and I have nothing better to do with my time than to go over and do what you were supposed to do in the first place." Nick quipped back making Aaron chuckle.

---

Marie laid on the couch setting down her copy of Cosmopolitan and sighed loudly. She'd never been this bored in her entire life. She'd figured she'd find something to do at least, but nothing at the moment appealed to her. She'd vegged in front of the television but grew tired of that. Getting up she grabbed the dogs' leads and hooked them up to them before taking them out, completely determined to do something with her day. She took them down to the beach playing with them. She laughed as Jada would run and splash into the surf and Romeo would run skittishly away from the crashing waves.

She looked around seeing various people taking in the slightly chilly sunny day. Some people jogging and a few couples holding hands as they walked in the tide. She sighed seeing one couple, presumably married, the man holding her hand firmly as her other hand graced her rounded belly, a small little girl running behind them. She sighed and wished somehow that she'd be so lucky to have that someday. Feeling slightly saddened by her singleness she got up calling the dogs to her and re-securing their leads before heading back to the condo. When she arrived she took a long luxurious bubble bath and decided to find something to do with her time. Maybe even go out to a club, the movies, something where it wouldn't matter that she was single at all.

As she dried off and put on her fluffy bathrobe she heard the dogs barking and the front door of the condo being opened. She peaked down the stairs not being able to see who it was. Getting nervous she slipped on a pair of sweats and a tee shirt bounding down the stairs with her pepper spray in hand. She stopped when she saw him...crouched down smiling at the dogs who were eagerly vying for his attention. "Umm who are you?" She asked making him look up suddenly seeing her standing there.

Nick felt his heart race for a moment, completely startled at the fact there was someone else in the apartment let alone a woman. "I'm Angel's brother...This is her apartment isn't it?" He thought aloud thinking he somehow gotten the wrong place. But then again his key wouldn't have worked would it?

"Yes, and Angel's brother, you look nothing like Aaron."

Nick chuckled at her, now that was certainly different he thought to himself, being mistaken for his little brother. "No I'm Nick, Angel's older brother."

"Oh...wow she uhh never mentioned you...I knew she had other siblings but we never really talked about family and stuff." She said setting the pepper spray down her cheeks flushing crimson. He smiled at her blush and she chuckled.

"So I guess she forgot to tell Aaron who didn't mention it to me that she had someone house sitting for her. He was supposed to come over and feed the dogs but I guess you have that covered..." He said smirking. It was so like his sister to pull something like this. One minute she's complaining how he never goes out, so he goes out and nothing works so she pulls her little strings and sets him up. "Do you mind if I call my sister, see why she conveniently forgot to tell him..."

Marie nodded as she watched him go into the living room and she went up the stairs to the bedroom to give him some privacy. She looked in the mirror across from the bed and saw her messy wet hair and the clothing she'd haphazardly put on and cringed. "Figures a hot guy happens to come over and I look like a complete scrub!" She changed her clothing, opting for a white tank top, completely with black cashmere shrug and a pair of comfy blue jeans. Quickly but deftly she pulled her hair up securing it in a messy bun trying to look as laid back as possible. She opted on wearing no makeup anyways since he'd already saw her sans foundation.

Meanwhile down stairs Nick sighed as he heard his sister answer her phone. "Hey Ang did you forget to mention to Aaron that you had someone watching the dogs?" He said when she had said Hello.

"Oh, shit totally forgot I'm sorry. I was so busy with the airport I forgot to call and tell Aaron that Marie was flying out to stay with them."

"Yeah I think you owe her an apology I think I scared the hell out of her. Had pepper spray and everything ready to pounce thinking I was some crazy intruder." He said remembering the encounter just a few minutes before. He had to admit it was rather amusing seeing her standing there, wet dark brown hair, matching brown eyes wide in surprise, in laid back sweats and shirt and the pepper spray in her hand did make him laugh a little at the over exaggeration to her action.

"Oh God...sorry...So is that why you called? To yell at me for being absentminded?" She asked wondering why he needed to call her  just to tell her that he met her house guest.

Nick rolled his eyes. "I know what you're doing..."

Angel bit her lip and held back a snicker. "Doing what? I forgot to tell you both I told you I'm sorry."

"Uh huh...and trying to set me up with someone in the process I'm sure." He shot back trying to get her to trip up and admit that was what she was doing.

"Oh please, come on like I asked Marie to fly all the way out to LA from New York just to get you a date? Come on Nickolas...think here I asked Aaron to watch the dogs, not you. I love you but I don't love you that much. And exactly how did you come to that conclusion? See something you like bro?"

Nick rolled his eyes and groaned, "Fuck you..." He trailed off. He did have to admit Marie was rather easy on the eyes.

"Ha, so you do like what you see!" Angel replied triumphantly. "But honestly this was totally not a set up. I am sorry I didn't tell you but hey, now that you've met her, she's never been to LA. Maybe you should you know, show her around town...take her out maybe."

"Seriously I am not interested in your little intrigues. You're almost as bad as Mom with your little ideas." He retorted back at her.

"It's not an idea, just you know she's my friend and she's never been to LA before. And I trust you, my big wonderful awesome brother to show her a good time. I'm not asking for it to be a date or even trying to set you up. Just be nice and talk to her. She's a really good friend of mine and this is her first vacation in a long time so please just be nice." Angel pleaded making Nick's resolve breakdown he blamed his lack of will power on the mere fact that he was a father to two very adorable little girls who had turned him into a pile of mush with just a simple look.

"You owe me." He said gruffly before ringing off with her. He waited a few moments and saw Marie pad down the stairs significantly changed after his conversation. "Sorry about that, don't let my sister's hair color confuse you, she's more blonde than I am sometimes." He joked as he watched her stuff her hands nervously into her pockets and chuckle softly.

"It's okay she's young." She shot back with a smile that made Nick clear his throat and look away.

"So Marie right?" He asked taking a seat on the couch as she sat on the arm of the loveseat across from him.

"Yes, Marie De Luca."

"From New York...totally explains the accent." He replied making her raise her eye brows at him.

"Accent? I don't have an accent..." She defended, to her she never had an accent she just talked how she always had and no one ever had said that she had an accent before, even in her traveling during college she'd never been told she'd talked anything but like a normal American.

"Yeah you do...let me guess Brooklyn?" He asked hitting the nail squarely on the head.

"How did you know?" She asked back wondering how he had pegged her hometown so quickly and easily. She never really understood how someone could just look at another person and immediately know where that person was from. She looked at him thinking maybe he was a life long Californian but from the minimal knowledge she knew of Angel's childhood she knew that they had lived in Florida for quite some time.

He smiled and made her stomach flip as he chuckled in response to her question. "I told you...it's the accent, dead giveaway." He answered making her shrug. "So what brings you to LA? Angel said you're on vacation?"

"Yeah for the holidays, I needed to get away from my life and it's been a really long time since I've ever had the ability to do so. And then Angel suggested I come stay here and here I am." She said rambling a little. "So you're her older brother..."

"Yeah, she's my youngest sister. Three girls, two boys."

"Sounds like an interesting childhood." She answered knowing very little about their upbringing. Pretty much Angel didn't like to talk about her past too much. She did know that their parents went through a rather nasty divorce and were not on speaking terms for quite some

"It was...different. I'm surprised Angel never mentioned me. Her and I are pretty close." He stated thinking that maybe his sister had kept him somewhat of a secret choosing not to divulge the identity of her pop star brother. Even though Aaron was famous as well he was sure that Angel left out the part that he was also very involved in the industry as well. In a way it made him feel for his sister, having to leave out parts of her life to make sure no one was using her to get close to one of her famous siblings. Some days he really felt bad that he had followed his dream after all since it had made his sisters most of all targets of users and hangers-on even more so than him or his brother.

"Well we usually talked about work, and her love life so we rarely ever got into family talk. She did mention Aaron quite a bit and I've met him once. Sweet kid...definitely precocious." She replied. She had met Aaron once way back when she had made the birthday cake for Angel and his birthday that they were celebrating in NYC. He'd come with her to see the final product and was amazed with the 2 tier cake that had music notes complete with a staff and everything winding around the white cake.

"Well Marie from New York...do you want to see LA?" He asked fulfilling his sister's request. At the moment he didn't exactly have any other pressing engagement to attend to so maybe he just might actually have some form of fun with her. She seemed nice enough and didn't seem to be the crazy stalker type if his own baby sister had invited her to stay in her home for the few weeks that she would be in Spain.

Marie looked at him for a moment almost surprised that he'd asked her to see the sights. "I wouldn't want to impose..."

"Nah, come on it'll be fun. We can do all the tourist-y things if you'd like or I can show you my Los Angeles." He offered giving her a choice.

"I think I'd like to see your version of LA, the tourist things will always be there later." She quipped back going over and slipping on her shoes and grabbing her purse. She smiled to herself what tourist could get an insider's view of their home city? Coming from a big city herself she knew that there were always spots that the tourists rarely frequented or rarely ever traveled to, making them a local secret in the city, her bakery being one of them. He waited by the door as she walked over to him following him out of the condo ready to take on the city of Angels.

End Notes:
thanks for reading! hope you all enjoy!
Chapter 5: In the City, City of Angels, Lonely as I am.... by Teri
Author's Notes:
So holy freakin crap...you guys are awesome. So dun dun dun! Another chapter for you! I figure this will help me get more inspired for WSIT this weekend (since i plan a major writing party to get the next few chapters of that rolling). Enjoy!
Chapter Five: In The City, City of Angels Lonely As I Am...

"So where are we?" She asked as they walked down the boardwalk. It was a sunny beautiful day out, the Santa Anna winds were blowing making it warmer this time of year the both of them only needing a light jacket in the slightly chilly air. They'd been to a few of his favorite places in downtown LA but now they had made their way around town to smaller spots, much less city-like places. They'd been to the Santa Monica Pier and up and around Malibu. Now they'd made their way to Surf City USA and were enjoying the conversation that had come over them. She learned rather quickly that he wasn't the typical Hollywood type. He didn't constantly have his blackberry glued to his ear or wore movie star shades or really acted like anything but just a very humble guy who loved his siblings and consistently was doing things for them going above and beyond what most siblings would do.

He grinned and sighed breathing in the cool salty sea air. "Huntington Beach. It's a favorite spot of mine. Relaxed and definitely not the glitz and glamour of the normal Los Angeles." He replied, it was true for him it wasn't the normal red carpet version of LA that if you really wanted to be seen you just had to make a trip to Robertson or Rodeo...or one of the many restaurants where it was all about seeing and being seen.

She smiled at him as they continued on their way stopping as they looked over the to the ocean. "It's so different here, you know from New York. We have the beach and all that but I don't know it just seems so different, the people are much different in LA than New York that's for certain." She replied making him grin at her. "So tell me about you...what do you do for a living?"

He sighed, the million dollar question he never had to answer. It was rather refreshing that she hadn't recognized him at all. He figured it must have been his change in appearance or maybe she wasn't a fan at all. Whatever it was he kind of liked having someone who didn't automatically know who he was, his occupation, birth date and favorite color just off the top of their head. "I'm a musician...a singer. I'm surprised though you didn't recognize me..." He said hoping that didn't come off as too cocky.

Marie shot him a glance. "Should I recognize you?" She looked him over, he didn't look anything like what her mind thought of when it came to anyone famous. He was dressed comfortably, jeans, sneakers a light hoodie and a tee-shirt underneath the sleeves pushed up his forearms. In fact based on his appearance alone he looked more like a college guy, maybe a grad student than a musician. Of course the musicians she was used to either sat on the street with a guitar case open, were in the philharmonic or were dressed up in their performance gear at one of the many concerts she'd attended at Irving Plaza over the years.

"What kind of music do you like?" He said ignoring her question. He didn't know how he should approach the subject, but he figured the direct approach would be the best course of action. He did have to admit, having a real conversation with a woman instead of what his greatest onstage memories were or if touring life was really as crazy as it seemed to be made him a little sad that he had to have this conversation at all.

"All types, mostly indie music though. That and I love bands like The Postal Service, Jane's Addiction, Muse..." She explained listing off some of his latest and oldest obsessions.

"Good bands..." He said with a grin. He didn't want to ask her but he figured he should probably get it out of the way and over with. "Have you ever heard of the Backstreet Boys...?"

"Yeah, they were huge in like the 1990s right? My sister was in love with them, with their overtly sexual songs and cheesy ballads and the ridiculous costumes and dance routines." She said making his smile fade every second as the realization dawned on her. "And oh my God you're one of them..."

Nick sniggered and nodded. "Yeah...Nick Carter nice to meet you." He retorted making her eyes widen and her brow furrow in embarrassment. "What?"

"Nothing just my sister is going to kill me...I insulted her favorite." She replied sheepishly giving him an apologetic glance.

He sighed and shook his head, "Of course, did anyone ever like the other guys at all?" He questioned.

"I kinda thought the tall one with dark hair was hot." Marie responded making him feel marginally better. "But I kind of liked to tease her about her insane crush on you. It was rather comical. But yeah she's going to have my head for insulting you."

"Nah she won't." He replied figuring that though they may fight, they were sisters and much like his own sisters, nothing could break that bond, not even a few little minutes or years of discourse.

"Obviously you don't know my sister. Even married with kids she's still a teenybopper." She quipped making him chuckle. She thought back to when her sister was a teenager, when they both were in those tumultuous adolescent years, the massive amounts of posters on the walls. Marie's posters had all been movie posters of all her favorites while her sisters were much more geared to the popular music persuasion. She looked at Nick and remembered those posters thinking of how different he looked now compared to then.

A comfortable silence grew over them for a few moments and he turned to her as they leaned on the railing. "So are you hungry? I am a little bit and maybe we could get something to eat?"

Marie grinned, "How about the grocery store. I'll make something for us." She said happily.

"You cook?" He asked smiling at her. He did always love a woman who could cook. Many of the women he dated however thought Chef Boyardee was gourmet. So it was definitely a most welcome and refreshing change to see someone who could really cook.

"I'm a chef..." She stated simply making his eyebrows raise in silent happy approval to her admission. Now that was something he hadn't expected. He realized rather quickly that she was becoming the single most interesting girl he'd ever met. He nodded and grinned widely before leading her off to his truck to take her to the store both of them finding their conversation to be both comfortable and entertaining to say the least.

---

Nick watched as she wielded the chef knife over the herbs she'd bought mincing them up quickly. She glanced up at him and smirked. "What?" She asked as she scraped them up and sprinkled them over the chicken in the sauté pan in front of her.

"Nothing just you're really good at that." He said with a grin. "Almost like I'm watching the Food Network." He marveled amusedly at the ease at which she made her way around a kitchen. The happy glow on her face as she kept a watchful eye over the food making sure it was cooked to perfection

She looked over at him as she turned the chicken breasts over showing the golden browned skin. "You watch the food network?" She asked with a grin. It more than amused her to find that he would actually enjoy watching people like Tyler Florence and Mario Batali make the culinary arts seem so effortless for people to try their hands at.

He nodded, "Yeah my life kind of requires me to know how to cook and take care of myself. Lord knows I don't have anyone to do it for me." He said subtly implying his single-dom as he reached for his wine glass taking a long sip of the rich Bordeaux.
    
"Good wine?" She asked happy he seemed to like her choice in wines and with her style of cooking.

"Yeah it's fantastic...I haven't had a good drink in a long time." He admitted. After he lost his wife he had gone off the deep end for a couple of months, when he wasn't being the dutiful and doting father he was binge drinking to stave off his broken loneliness. But thanks to his friends and band mates he'd pulled himself out of his funk. But now he felt confident enough to be able to have a few drinks here and there and not have a problem.

"Don't get out much do you?" She asked playfully. He watched how her eyes crinkled slightly whenever she smiled and then his eyes moved to her mouth something he instantly regretted. The curve of her lips were far too inviting at the moment and he looked away cursing himself for thinking that way.

He shrugged answering her question silently as he watched her finish plating up dinner smirking at how she meticulously placed everything on the plate. "Wow you'd think we're going to the Ivy with that kind of attention to detail." He remarked making her roll her eyes and hand him his plate. They moved over to the small dining table and sat both with full wine glasses before them.

They ate in silence for a moment Marie, paying special attention to his reaction of every bite of food. She grinned amusedly at his soft moan indicating that it was really appetizing. "You like?"

He looked over and nodded as he finished chewing then swallowed. "Yeah, this is amazing...Did you learn how to cook this in culinary school?" He was amazed the light sauce and how she'd made the vegetables tender and actually tasty instead of bland and boring made him really enjoy the meal entirely.

"No my grandmother taught me. She was actually a better teacher than any of the chefs at school or in my internship and at least she didn't throw plates at me when I messed up." She remarked remembering the days of spending time with her grandmother in the kitchen learning all the old family recipes. She was however always intrigued but the multitude of sweets they always made every holiday together, from cookies, to cakes, to canolis and homemade gelatos. It was in her childhood that she'd found her passion for food and as much as her parents may have been against it to begin with she was happy to have proven them wrong and had become successful and even professionally recognized through her associations and certifications.

Nick's eyes widened in shock. "You've had plates thrown at you?" He had watched enough of Hell's Kitchen to realize that some chefs in the industry were exactly "people persons" as he would call it. But throwing plates for messing up? That was something he definitely would not be able to handle getting ceramic plates thrown at his head? He would have quit immediately on the spot.

Marie chuckled and nodded, "Yeah on my first internship, French chef from Alsace. He was rather ornery if you even did a so-so job on a plating he would verbally rip you a new one. I mean I've dealt with some real jerks in the industry and all but they're really few and far between. The people who work with me now are the best people I know." It was true, her friends she'd made over the years had become the best business partners she'd ever had, dashing the rule that you never go into business with your friends. She smiled thinking of them as she poured them each yet another glass of wine finishing off their second bottle of Bordeaux for the evening.

"So what exactly do you do. I know you're a chef and all but what kind?" He asked watching her swirl the red wine in her glass before smelling it and taking a long sip smiling at the distinct and bold flavor in it. He didn't know where his sudden interest in her life came from. He found it so easy to talk to her, and her life, being so completely different from what he normally encountered it intrigued him to no end.

"Pastries mostly. I specialize in specialty cakes for weddings and birthday parties. But I also do chocolate sculptures, pastillage, all sorts of stuff like that. We're going down to Daytona next summer for the wedding cake competition. If we win there's a big fat 100,000 dollar check. Which would let me expand our kitchen and increase volume by about 15 percent."

"That would be awesome. How did you meet my sister?" He asked wondering how exactly a model would meet and become friends with a pastry chef. The concept to him was almost comical, a model and a chef...the best of friends. Although Angel did know how to pack food away she was after all a model where most hardly ever ate or if they did they either got rid of the excess calories with massive amounts of exercise or by some other less healthy compulsion.

"She was living in New York doing something with photo shoots and runway modeling and her birthday was coming up and she stumbled into my shop and asked if we made cakes. So I made her and Aaron this two tier cake that was one of my favorites that I made, it was white fondant and then it had black musical notes and staff all over it."

"You made that cake? Wow..." He said marveling at her talent. He remembered the cake, not just because it was for his siblings' birthday but that it was the first holiday season without Anna there beside him. 

"You were at the party?" She asked smiling at him. "I couldn't go, I had to go to Jersey, my Grams was very sick at the time and it was the last cake I'd made before she passed away." She said shaking her head as she looked away feeling the emotions involuntarily rise up within her.

Nick saw the emotion on her face and felt a pang of sympathy surge in him. He of all people knew what it felt like to lose someone near and dear to your heart. He watched her stand clearing their empty plates taking them to the kitchen silently her face showing the pensiveness that was sure to be going on within her mind. He stood and began to clear the two empty bottles of wine and the glasses. He went into the kitchen to toss the bottles and rinse the glasses in the sink. He turned her with a simple hand on her shoulder giving her a look as if to ask if she were all right.

She breathed deeply and cursed at herself. She couldn't believe that she'd let herself get all maudlin on him. "I'm sorry just it's not easy sometimes remembering that stuff." She replied feeling herself once again in control of her emotions as she scrubbed the plates.

Nick nodded and watched her, seeing her that vulnerable for a moment made something in him just seem to snap...some invisible force had invaded his heart for a brief moment warming it to her. As if he were a man possessed he turned her away from the sink to face him and deliberately leaned down to her pressing his lips to hers gently their eyes closing simultaneously losing themselves in the intoxicating contact. His hands went to her sides holding her in front of him almost afraid she would pull away from his bold move. Their lips moved against each other neither moving farther than the simple-ness to the original kiss but both feeling their hearts and breaths quicken from the chaste embrace. He gripped her sides wanting to deepen the kiss which, shocked the hell out of him to begin with that he'd even thought to kiss her, something he hadn't done in such a long time. Sufficiently freaked out at his own bold behavior and her heated response made him break the kiss both of them keeping their eyes closed their mouths open savoring the ended touch between them for just a few moments longer.

He removed his hands from her waist and looked down at them cursing himself for being too bold, what if she hated it? She definitely seemed to welcome it but he knew in his experience that the physical response could and usually was the opposite of the mental one. He looked at her face seeing her eyes searching his for something, for what he didn't know, maybe an explanation as to why he so boldly but gently kissed her.

"I'm sorry...I shouldn't have done...that..." He said apologizing as he stumbled over his words. He definitely hadn't intended on kissing her but maybe it was the situation, maybe it was the wine but he was certainly glad he did kiss her.

Marie took a breath and looked at him slightly amused by his stumbling mumbled apology. "Would you...mind...doing that again...?" She asked just going with the moment. It wasn't all that often that she had a man over for dinner, and even so it was even less often that she'd received such a kiss. The men she'd dated in New York had always pushed for things to go very fast and this was such a difference. The fact that he'd kissed her at all had shocked her but to feel him do so without expectation of a reaction, and his hands so gingerly on her waist only increasing in pressure before he broke the kiss.

The corner of his mouth twitched into a crooked half grin as he leaned back in, stepping towards her as he slipped his fingertips along her side wrapping his hand on her waist, the other hand tipping her chin up towards him creating the perfect angle as he kissed her once more. This kiss was different from the way they had kissed just moments before. Both of them meeting their mouths eagerly the kiss deepening as she pressed her fingers to the back of his neck and the other arm wrapped around his shoulders pulling him to sandwich her between the countertop and himself. She opened her mouth as he had sucked on her bottom lip moaning slightly into the kiss. He took the opportunity and searched out her tongue with his own massaging it gently as his hand that had been on her chin drifted back from her jaw to the place where her head and neck met holding her to him.

Before they could get any farther Nick's blackberry began to ring on the bar countertop on just the other side of the sink. They broke the kiss staring at each other for a split second before Marie grabbed his phone, instinctively looking at the caller id before handing it to him. "Livie..." She said handing it to him then realized what she had done. "Sorry...that was rude..." She said her eyes widening at herself for her own audacity to look at who was calling him. She figured that it was just instinct taking over since she too would look at her own the same way before answering. She watched him take the phone and walk away from her answering it with a smile on his face.

"Hey..." He said into the phone smiling at the sound of his daughter's voice. He suddenly regretted getting both of his daughters the Migo, a cell phone for children that only allowed the user to reach only the numbers that had been programmed into the phone, Nick's cell phone being one of them. Sometimes being the overprotective father that he was actually ended up biting him in the butt like it had just moments ago and as much as he loved that they missed him and wanted to talk to him, their timing was always impeccable. Under any normal circumstance the phone calls often became a blessing, finding salvation from horrendously bad dates and awkward situations. But right now...when he'd had singularly one of the most enjoyable evenings he'd had in a long time it seemed almost an annoyance, which bugged him to no end. He loved his daughters more than life itself and he figured now more than ever he needed to compartmentalize his life so he could effectively have a romantic relationship eventually and be the dutiful loving father he was to his daughters. He listened to his youngest daughter giving her kind words of missing her too, and to give his affections to Meredith and Ted as well before glancing over at Marie who he noticed was ignoring the conversation to the best of her ability.

Marie busied herself cleaning up the rest of the kitchen as she tried half heartedly not to listen to the conversation. She sighed, figuring he was talking to some girl he was dating. After all that was her luck wasn't it? She finds a guy she gets along with rather incredibly well and then the kissing...oh the kissing she thought to herself how unexpectedly wonderful that was. She watched him ring off the phone and smile at her. She blushed and wiped her hands having finished doing the dishes for the evening. 

He thought a moment and watched her noticing her little habit of as she walked she moved her hands to her hips almost not knowing what to do with them for the moment. "Can I see you tomorrow?" He asked completely taken aback by his forwardness. He couldn't believe that he'd some how become attracted to someone again but whatever this was, whatever magnetic pull she had over him for this brief moment, he didn't want it to completely end. "I'm meeting some friends tomorrow night at a Jazz club just on the outskirts of town. I'd like it if you could you know...make it..." He said remembering that his friends would be bringing dates and he certainly did not want another night with them to be spent alone.

Marie's eyebrows raised in pleasant surprise but hadn't he just gotten off the phone with the girl he was seeing? Confused she decided it was better to keep him at a distance for the time being and quickly tried to come up with some alternative. "I don't know I mean...I was thinking about going to the local museum tomorrow evening but if something changes yeah...sure I'd love to..."

His face fell in slight defeat as he sighed looking at his phone. Then an idea dawned on him, "Well if you change your mind and decide to drop by, I have the address..." He said flipping through his digital rolodex in his blackberry. He wrote it down on a small scrap of paper on the bar counter sliding it and the pen towards her once he was done.

She smiled and nodded, "If my plans fall through I guess I'll be seeing you there." She said firm in her resolution to stay as far away from him as possible. It wasn't that she didn't like him, quite the opposite in fact. But the idea that he quite possibly could be just like every other guy, a player, made him suddenly less appealing to her.

He smiled and bid her a goodnight before leaving the condo. She locked the door behind him and then silently went up the stairs into the bedroom and collapsed onto the bed laying in it's inviting cushiness. She sighed and closed her eyes her mind mentally and emotionally reliving the day with special emphasis on the few kisses they'd shared, the shared smiles and laughter throughout the evening. She rolled over and cradled a pillow to her slight depression rolling over her as she thought, what are the odds? I find a nice guy and he's just like the rest of them...men... She huffed and pressed her face into the pillow trying to will the thoughts of him away from her.

 
End Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews keep em coming!
Chapter 6: The Blue Note by Teri
Author's Notes:
wow i'm so pleased to see everyone is enjoying the story so far! Enjoy another chapter!
Chapter Six: The Blue Note

    Nick smiled to himself absently as he made notes during the meeting. He remembered the day and night before thinking of the interaction between him and Marie. She was definitely the type of girl he could see something happening with. She was kind and funny not to mention she was indeed very beautiful to him. That realization right there made things all the more complicated though. After all she was only here for a few weeks on vacation. If he did let anything progress between the two of them what would happen when she'd inevitably have to return to New York?

    He sighed internally mocking himself for getting so far ahead that what reality was presenting him at the moment. And then...the even bigger reality hit him. She had no idea that he was a single father...let alone a father of two little girls. Where would he fit that into a conversation?

    "Hey...Marie, guess what I happen to have a ton of extra baggage, I'm a widow with two kids...surprise!" No that would be ridiculous. Or even better. "I'm a single father...oh what's that you say where's their mom? Oh well she uh...isn't in the picture anymore." He shook his head at himself for even thinking about telling Marie about his daughters or the fact that the only woman he had ever loved died a little over two years ago.

    "Care to share?" Howie asked as the meeting ended. All of the guys had noticed Nick's distracted behavior. Smiling one minute, pensive and angsty the next. His band mates had all become rather well aware of his mental state over the past two years always trying to help him, support him whenever they could through the rough times he'd fallen upon.

    Nick looked over at him and sighed he knew there was no way of getting around it. He'd eventually have to explain things to them anyways so he better get it all out now. "I think I met someone." He said even unsure of his own words. In the literal sense he had met someone, someone who he was interested in and even completely attracted to which was a whole new concept to him.

    "You think you met someone, or you actually met someone?" AJ asked all of them glancing between each other, hope filling their eyes. They knew not to get their hopes up but with his recent rash of horrible blind dates they were hopeful that he was showing interest in at least someone of the female persuasion.

    "Angel had a friend come stay at her place while she's in Ibiza. Well Aaron was supposed to feed Romes and Jada but asked me to head over there. I did and she was there." He said leaving out the details from later on.

    "And...? What love at first sight? Hardly your style." Howie quipped back skeptically.

    Nick chuckled, "No I took her out...and she made me dinner...we uhh kissed." He said finding his thoughts with him as they came to him. "It was one of those perfect days you know? Good conversation, good company, good food..."

    "Good necking..." AJ added making Nick roll his eyes. "So you're wiggin' out because?" He asked wondering what the big problem was. If anything he was more happy to hear about this event than the others just simply because he'd gotten irritated by the moping ‘I'm never going to find anyone else' Nick and was starting to like this one again.

    "Just it's been so long since I've actually been genuinely attracted to someone and I don't know how to react. I mean she's only here on vacation, what do I tell her about my life? The girls? How do I even tell them?" He asked rambling all of his ideas out. He couldn't quite comprehend how to handle the situation, a situation of his own making.

    The three of them laughed at his apparent concern and worry about what his children would think of a possible romance. "Nick, man you've known her what a day? Come on you know how to handle this. You don't tell her about the girls until you're serious about seeing where this goes. Hell if I were you I would not be coming up for air any time soon. I mean come on you have the rest of the week to be the single bachelor, no attachments or anything to worry about. So why not just be the swinging single you used to be if only for a week? And then after that if you decide to do anything farther than this week, then think about the girls. I really don't think this is quite the crisis you're making it out to be." Howie reasoned.

    Nick sighed and shrugged, "It's not that easy I mean I'm so used to being the father that I almost don't remember how to be the man..." He replied still feeling so unsure of himself. It had been six years since he'd really had to really think about the whole process of dating someone, even if only on a casual level. He couldn't believe he was even talking to them about this. In his past he'd normally kept his love life pretty private only relaying details on the latest conquest and not about any emotion or apprehension behind his motives. He blamed Anna for that one. She was always big into talking things out, emotionally and otherwise. He guessed that after years of being subjected to her ways he'd finally, after she was gone, had succumbed to them himself.

    "Nick, it is that easy. Just go with what you feel in the moment, don't think about anything else. But do remember to use protection okay?" Brian reminded laughing at him slightly all of them amused at the apprehension to his rant.

---

Marie smiled as she walked out of the hair salon happy that her thick locks now felt lighter than ever. She'd layered it and gotten a set of thick fringe over her brow, a very mod chic New York style the stylist had said. She felt refreshed and completely new from the experience, giving herself a full spa experience. She had a massage appointment, had gotten a manicure and pedicure. She made her way to the shops down over to Robertson snickering to herself as she saw a multitude of camera men following a few people making a huddled mass of flashes and yelling for pictures.

She laughed to herself wondering why celebrities would subject themselves to such scrutiny? Weren't there other places to shop? After all it was LA. Then her mind switched thinking of Nick...he was a celebrity wasn't he? Did he have to deal with things like that? She shook her head at herself as she imagined his picture in the tabloids smiling as he attending some red carpet event or walking down the street shielding himself from the glare of the paparazzi flash. She rolled her eyes at herself as she walked into a store a small trendy boutique that she'd always heard that LA was famous for. The sensation of the few kisses they shared came back to her and she rolled her eyes at herself. It wasn't that good of a kiss anyways...Her mind tried to reason but she knew that her body had reacted in a much more positive way to the contact than she really wanted to admit.

She smirked seeing the various items thinking of the night before as she surveyed the cocktail dresses. She thought of his proposal...a jazz club was something she could totally enjoy and then they wouldn't have to be alone, she could meet some of his friends who presumably were from the city too. For a brief moment she realized she did want to go out with him that night, but at the same time what if she was just playing into his game? Hadn't he asked her out after he'd gotten off the phone with another girl?

Interrupting her thoughts, her phone buzzed in her purse. She reached for it smiling as she saw Becca's number across the screen. "Hey you..." She said into the phone feeling very happy to hear from her. It was definitely a welcome respite from the Nick-centered thoughts she'd been having.

"Ooh you sound good, did you take my advice and get it on with some hottie?" Becca remarked noting the already relaxed and happy tone to her friend's voice. The vacation only a day or so into it she already seemed to sound like a completely different person. Happier than usual, though not to say Marie wasn't normally a happy person, but there was something different in her voice, something had certainly happened to her.

Marie sighed, "Not exactly..." She said not really wanting to get into the entire conversation of her day with Nick...their awkward humorous meeting, the day trip they spent exploring his favorite places in the city, the dinner and the subsequent kissage that had occurred.

"Not exactly? What did you hook up with a movie star or something?" Becca asked wondering exactly what had happened. She thought it was rather amusing to hear the evasive tone in Marie's voice. It made her think that maybe, for once she'd finally gotten out of her shell and was hopefully going to experience life for a change instead of hiding among her pastries and cakes and complaining that she'd never find anyone.

Marie rolled her eyes, he wasn't exactly a movie star, although he'd been in a few low budget ones, or so he'd told her. He was a celebrity wasn't he? That's the really odd part of the whole situation. He didn't act like her conception of what a celebrity acted like. He was more normal and humble than what she definitely had expected.  "Or something..." She didn't really want to get into specifics. She knew that Becca wouldn't care one iota if he was in the industry or not so really she could definitely leave that part out of the conversation for as long as she could.

Becca gasped a little, she couldn't have actually decided to go as buck wild as Becca had suggested could she? "You had sex?!" She shrieked into the phone making Marie pull it away from her ear. She had to admit

"No...but I am going to kill Angel for not telling me about her brother." She replied thinking of how Angel had conveniently left out the fact that she had an older brother. Sure she'd told her that she had other siblings aside from Aaron but for as close as she and Nick seemed to be she would have thought she'd have mentioned it. But then again Angel was very protective of her siblings. She definitely always talked about how girls wanted to use Aaron for the money he'd earned. So maybe it was really out of her protective instinct that she didn't mention Nick.

"Her brother? But you've met Aaron." She reminded also not knowing about Nick. Everyone at the shop had met both Angel and Aaron, back when Marie had done their 18th, birthday cake.

"Not that brother...her older brother..." Marie retorted placing special emphasis on the word ‘older'.

"Cute?" Becca asked wondering if that was where this conversation was going. She knew that Angel was very good looking and that Aaron wasn't half bad either, so maybe it was all in the genes and the entire family was pretty good looking.

"Gorgeous, actually in an almost annoying sort of way. He stopped by to feed Romeo and Jada and then we kind of spent the day together. I made him dinner and he kissed me...twice." She replied figuring she should just use the direct approach. Leaving out the minor details of how they completely clicked in conversation and had spent the day talking, driving and walking around the city was all irrelevant. The main events however, were not.

Becca gasped a little, "Ooo so a total hottie kisses you and you don't rip his clothes off and violate him? Marie we've had this talk, a little casual sex can't hurt...Unless you're into that." She quipped making Marie sigh in response. All of sudden Becca swept into concerned best friend mode. "Okay so what's the deal?"

"I mean he's great, nice guy, funny, smart and..." She trailed off not wanting her mind to follow the trail it had already started on. If she let herself go there, if she really went there she'd be obsessing over every little observation, glance, joke and word of the entire evening and she really didn't want to spend her afternoon obsessing about one day.

"And tell me what the kiss was like?" Becca asked wondering if it was as wonderful as she was making it sound. She knew herself that her initial kisses with her husband had been breathtaking herself, but she was only a teenager back then and a kiss to a teenager was a completely different entity to what a kiss was to an adult.

She took a breath and stopped short. "Unbelievable...I mean the chemistry was palpable. It didn't hurt that we had drank two bottles of Bordeaux between the two of us but still Bec...The only thing that stopped us was he got a phone call...from another girl..."

"Oh...do you think she's his girlfriend?" She postulated, that would definitely put a chink in Marie's chain that's for sure. If there was one thing that was a deal breaker for Marie it was a cheater. And that was definitely something she knew she could agree with her on. If he had a girlfriend though, why did he seem so interested in her.

"I don't know it all I saw was the name and I really don't want to jump to conclusions but you know how I am. I see one red flag and I crumble. Then after the call he asks me out! It's like are you serious?" She didn't really want to jump to conclusions...what if she turned out to be completely wrong and he was insulted at her insinuation that he could be so cold hearted. But, then again what if she was right and went against her better judgment and ended up getting hurt?

Becca grinned and shrugged, "Well sweetie think of it this way. He asked you out. So go out, have fun get laid. I mean if he's seeing someone else it's obviously not serious if he's asking you out. Don't think just feel...this could be the best thing for you, to open up, to live and experience some wild wonderful vacation fling. Honestly honey, if I were you I'd go for it, see where it can take you. You might be surprised at the outcome."

Marie bit her lip a surge of confidence coming over her. "You know, you just might be right..." She replied before ringing off with her. She looked around seeing a slinky classy black cocktail dress and picked up her size making her decision about his question, confident for once that she was making the right decision for herself.

---

    Nick checked his watch as he looked around the jazz club. He hated to admit it but he hoped that she had certainly changed her mind about that night. He looked at his friends shrugging a little in defeat. He sat back and enjoyed their conversation for a few moments before looking around the room again briefly.
    
    "I don't think she's coming man..." Howie said as he gripped his wife's hand under the table. He felt his heart sink a little, he'd hoped that for Nick's sake at least she had rescinded her other plans and decide to join them for the evening.

    "Yeah...was kind of hoping...You know never mind. I am just going to have fun and enjoy being with you two tonight." He replied sighing and smiling at the happy couple. He was really happy for Howie and Leigh they'd been together for so long and only now they'd finally settled down with each other.

    At the same moment across the way Marie entered the club hearing the intoxicating music and seeing the band up on the stage she grinned, knowing she had most certainly made the right choice in coming. He had been right, she loved the place. The atmosphere itself spoke of a completely different time and made her almost nostalgic to have seen the times when Jazz clubs were the norm in big cities instead of the glow stick and techno laden places she knew so well. She looked around the room seeing tables and booths and then spotted a familiar blonde head of hair. She smiled and made sure she was in definite view of him. She looked down at her dress and the small white mini jacket she'd also bought to go with her black cocktail dress ensemble.

    She watched and looked as he laughed at his friend's joke then scan around the room, presumably looking for her. She smiled as his eyes connected to her form a surprised smile coming over his face. She shrugged and walked over as his party also looked in her direction as well.

    He marveled at how she looked, classy and definitely not like most of the women in the place. He stood as she approached taking her small jacket from her shoulders noticing the difference in her hair, the bangs and the layered look to it. As much as it was different, he had to admit it completely suited her and drew all the attention to her eyes. "Sorry I'm late..." She said with a smile as she turned to him appreciatively after he took her jacket revealing her bare shoulders in the off the shoulder dress. She smiled at his friends as he introduced her shaking their hands as she took her seat next to Nick and smiled as his arm was draped behind her on the back of the booth where they sat. Yeah, she was definitely happy with her decision to come out for the evening.

 
End Notes:
thanks for reading! lemme know what you thought!
Chapter 7: Bloody Mary, Full of Grace by Teri
Author's Notes:
So i stayed true to my word and got another chapter out today! lol 7 for seven ladies and gents! it's only 11:07pm here when i'm posting so it still counts as Saturday for me lol. Anyways I'm sitting here watching Across the Universe for the zillionth time (LOVE that movie) and got som serious inspiration for Nick and Marie. I hope you all enjoy...and don't throw shoes at me for the massive cliffie i left you guys at LOL. Thanks so much for reading! And holy flippin crap almost 60 reviews for 6 chapters? you all are AMAZING. I love my readers! If you all hadn't guessed this story is sort of based off of the movie The Holiday with Jude Law and Cameron Diaz. It has some elements of it to it and some of the lines of dialogue I were directly inspired from the movie. If you haven't seen the movie it's excellent. The first scene is inspired from a scene in the movie which made me giggle immensely so I used it with my own special twists upon it! Hope you all enjoy!

Chapter Seven: Bloody Mary, Full Of Grace

Marie cringed as she opened her eyes slowly looking around the room her head feeling like a million pounds. She slowly begrudgingly got up seeing that she was merely in a tiny tank top and her underwear. She grabbed a pair of jeans from her bag and a cream v-neck sweater before going down the stairs slowly her hands clutching the railing as the world spun around her.

"Morning sunshine..." She heard from in the kitchen where Nick was leaning against the counter, two mugs of steaming hot coffee in front of him. She gave him a petulant glance and cringed as his laughter rang out irritating the pounding migraine that was just behind her left eye. He slid the mug over to her and she nodded appreciatively inhaling the aroma of the French roast. He let her drink in silence for a few moments watching as her eyes fluttered closed and took a big sigh of relief after she felt the caffeine surging through her system. It shocked him really, to see her, no make up on like their first meeting, and her hair in a messy bun. It was a simple look, comfortable even but he really liked seeing her this way...just after waking up. The mere thought of that alone shocked him to no end. She opened her eyes holding onto the mug one hand on the handle, the other gently cupping the bottom as she glanced at him watching her, a blush filling her cheeks at his open gaze. "Feel better?" He asked.

She smiled a little, "Yeah a little, just still I don't think I've ever drank that much in my entire life...How much did I drink?" She asked turning from him and walking over to the dining table for a moment before turning back to him.

He grinned and nodded, "I don't think anyone has ever drank that much...well okay I know people who have but still you can pack away your alcohol." He said with a silly grin on his face. True he'd drank a lot himself but she'd far surpassed him in that department, both of them having Howie drive them back to her place so he could make sure that she'd get inside okay.

She turned for a moment, seeing her black lacy strapless bra hanging on one of the chairs and cringed. "Oh...God..." She said grabbing the offending material and hiding it behind her back her blush worsening every moment. "I took this off...in front of you?"

"You did..." He replied amusedly. He had to admit at the time it was rather comical to see her attempt to be sexy when she was so inebriated and clumsy, but at the same time it was a rather humorous turn on. That even when she was so drunk she was still appealing to him. "It's okay...no big deal though." He said trying to ease her internal torment.

"No, but you were here when I did..." She said her brow furrowing in embarrassment. It wasn't that she was prude or anything really but she was always taught certain decorum when she was in the presence of the opposite sex and drunkenly taking her bra off was definitely not part of that upbringing.

"I was..."

"Did we...?" She asked not remembering if they had done anything sexual. She wasn't sure, but she did remember inviting him up to the bedroom that night. Everything was very fuzzy and was coming back to her in bits and pieces here and there. He shook his head ‘no' and she gave him a perplexed look. "We didn't?"

He smirked and looked at his coffee for a moment then back at her as he began to speak. "Call me old fashioned but I prefer to have sex with women who are actually conscious." He quipped making her eyes bulge in further shock and embarrassment making him chuckle lightly.

She rolled her eyes and turned her body, one hand flying to her forehead pinching the bridge of her nose, as she moved into the laundry area dropping the bra into the hamper. "Oh now that's attractive..." She retorted sarcastically looking at the washer as the memory dawned on her... "Did I beg at one point?" She asked as she turned and looked at him from her changed position from over at the washer.

He chewed on his lip to keep himself from laughing. He glanced at her, an idea forming in his head. "Do you want to get some breakfast? I know a diner not far from here...has the best pancakes and hash browns in the city."

She gave him a sideways glance cocking her head to the side just so almost studying him for a moment. She was hungry and maybe getting some breakfast would allow her to enjoy his company for just that much longer. "I'd love to..." She replied returning his smile.

---

"Does it ever get weird for you? The whole fame thing?" Marie asked as she lightly salted her scrambled eggs. She'd found it rather amusing that on their short walk to the diner he'd been stopped for autographs and pictures three different times by 20-something fans. Of course he'd handled each situation with the utmost class and respect smiling at the girls, signing their things and taking pictures with them. Marie had even volunteered to take pictures so that she wouldn't get asked about whom she was or even get her picture taken either.

It had definitely been an experience. She'd never really saw what happens to a celebrity when they met a fan. The few times she'd seen famous people anywhere close to her was when she would be walking down the street only to find it was closed off for a movie shoot for the day, or seeing them get out of fancy limousines in haute couture on the way to some fancy red carpet event. But this was certainly different. The change he made from being the normal guy she was growing accustomed to being around had made her almost do a double take.

One minute he was talking about the Clippers and the need for a solid backcourt defense and the next he was all smiles and professionally cordial answering questions fully equipped with pearly white smile and sharpie pen.

He shrugged as he chewed on his piece of sourdough toast. He took a sip of his orange juice and sighed, "I don't know I guess I'm really just used to flipping over into that side of myself. I mean I've been doing this since I was 12 years old, and even before that I was into acting and all sorts of performance stuff like that. It's something you just get so used to switching on and off that you don't even realize it after a while." He explained studying how she was looking at him. The curious look on her face made him smile at her innocent curiosity. "Was it weird for you? I've had that situation happen before, it's been a long time but you handled it beautifully."

"How would I have handled it? I mean I'm not the ‘important' one they want to see, so I just stand in the background. And I think that girl actually keeled over when you put your arm around her when I took the picture for her...the look on her face was absolutely priceless." She replied chuckling at the girl's star struck surprise.

"Yeah they kind of do that sometimes. The fans are pretty protective of the others and me after all these years we've gone through quite a bit of drama."

"I can imagine that's why you're still single then? I mean it'd be hard to find a woman who'd be able to be secure enough in herself to put up with the attention let alone to share their man with the world." She said remarking at the public nature to which his love life must have been in the past. She saw the glimmer in his eyes and felt immediately stupid for mentioning the type of scrutiny he must go through with every girlfriend he's ever had. "I didn't mean..." She began to say but he shook his head understanding her original thought process fully.

He played with the fork in his right hand and averted his eyes momentarily as he began to explain, "Last time I even really had to think about it was years ago. I've kind of been a bachelor for a long time, the others found their soul mates and I'm just kind of here."

"What was your last relationship like? If you don't mind me asking..." She posed making him look at her with a pensive glance.

He didn't want to get into specifics that was for sure, he wanted to break his past to her gently and not as one big sweeping explanation. "I thought it was going to last forever..."

"But it didn't?" She asked getting an even more curious look to her face. He loved how her eyes seemed to give so many clues to her emotions, and her almost school-girl curiosity to his past made his heart feel more at ease. While he may not want to share the specifics of what happened he knew that it was okay to let her in on at least something. He still did not want to get into the fact that he'd been married, or even that he was a father. Especially this early on, it almost seemed like he would be possibly jinxing any potential for something later on if he gave full disclosure now.

"It didn't, and it's taken me two years to even get back on the dating scene. And that in itself has been a trial. All the blind dates my friends and family have been setting me up on have been insane. So that's kind of why this whole experience, hanging out with you has been nice for me. To actually have an intelligent conversation with someone of the opposite sex that doesn't revolve around superficial things is a nice change of pace for me."

She smiled at him for a moment, their eyes connecting at that moment. The chemistry between them that she had described as palpable to Becca was back in full force. Apparently someone had hurt him very much in his past and she felt extreme empathy for that. Then again she figured almost anyone would be able to empathize. Getting hurt romantically was all a part of the human experience now wasn't it? However there was something different in his eyes, something mysterious as to what exactly his specific situation had entailed. She decided at that moment not to press the issue and let him come out with it in his own time figuring that would be the best course of action for him. "So...you haven't dated for two years?"

"No I haven't..."

"So the last time you had sex was...?"

"A little over two years ago...just before it ended."

"Two years?!" She marveled almost astonished at his monk like celibacy. "It's only been six months for me and it's been excruciating...How do you do it?"

Nick shrugged, "I've been too busy with my life and career to deal with any sort of intimacy with a woman I suppose."

"But don't you miss it? Sometimes you just crave contact...to touch and be touched..." She said her face showing the thoughts beneath the surface. He snickered slightly at her openness. He definitely did miss the intimacy and feeling of warmth and satisfaction that come afterwards but at the same time he knew that his life was more important that some stupid one night stand. He'd find it hard to have casual sex with a girl that meant nothing to him and then go home to his daughter's faces and face them. After all ever woman had a father somewhere and in another time in his life he'd be completely up for anything that this bachelorhood held for him but the process of becoming a husband and a father had changed him so completely.

"I miss it yeah, I'd be crazy to say that I don't. But just there are more important things in life that I've dealt with in the meantime that pushed that part of myself aside." He replied glossing effortlessly over the grieving process he'd gone through and the fact that he was indeed a single parent.

She looked at him studying his face once more and smiled. "I think I'm kind of crushing on you right now..." She admitted making him blush slightly and grin back at her. It had been a long time since any girl had ever expressed that she was crushing on him and wasn't holding a copy of Tiger Beat or the Enquirer with his picture plastered all over it. Yeah, definitely the most interesting girl I've ever encountered... He thought to himself smiling at her.

---

    Nick sighed into her mouth as she tangled her fingers into his hair. For what was the past hour and a half they'd spent on the couch of Angel's condo, making out like teenagers in the back of a car at lover's lane.  The day they'd spent together again was even more enjoyable than the first. They'd talked, walked around town a bit and had decided on renting movies and vegging in front of the television ordering in Thai food for dinner. The situation had started out casual enough. Both lounging on the couch exchanging banter about the movie they had been watching, but it soon escalated, a grazing of their hands here. Then he'd pulled her to sit next to him his arm around her shoulders as they made ridiculous commentary about the plotline, characters, anything to keep the conversation from heading down the road they knew it was going to eventually. Inevitable silence had grown over them and Marie had soon turned to him and had been the aggressor for once gently, almost hesitantly pressing her lips to his. And now that lip lock had sparked something between them, almost lowering their inhibitions completely.

    He held her sides in front of him resisting pulling her body into his lap. He knew if he did so he wouldn't be able to hide how much his body was reacting from her touch, and not just the obvious physical manifestation either. His pulse was racing and he wondered it she could feel it as one hand gently glided over his neck. He wanted her, that he knew was for certain but at the same time, he didn't want to complicate things between them by moving too fast too soon. He'd come to enjoy just being around her, their personalities among many other things meshing perfectly to make anytime time spent in each other's presence a welcome joy he hadn't known in a long time.

    Marie scooted herself closer but felt his arms tense slightly in hesitation and made her stop breaking the kiss looking at him in curiosity. "Is everything all right?" She asked breathlessly unable to keep their mouths much more than just a few inches apart. It was like a crazy magnetic pull almost she thought. It made her stomach flutter, her breathing ragged and labored.

    "Just...I like you...a lot and I just don't want to...push..." Nick replied gathering his thoughts as best as he could. He couldn't quite place his finger on what was clouding his judgment so much. He knew that it was her to a point, maybe even two years of self-imposed sexual repression as well but whatever it was he didn't want it to stop. At the same time though, he didn't want to make a rash decision that he would regret later.

    She gave him a warm smile her eyes darting between his eyes and his mouth. "You're not pushing...believe me...I want this." She said as he grinned their lips meeting again with renewed fervor. This time he pulled her towards him and she moved her legs around him crossing her calves around his back, as the kisses between them grew more and more intense. He laid her down on the sofa one hand firmly on her hip and the other moving over her shoulder and down her arm before going to her waist.

He felt himself begin to lose the internal struggle within himself. He was torn between what his body and heart were screaming at him to do and what his mind and conscience were saying. However the voice of his mind was slowly wavering, his mind becoming more and more clouded by her simple intoxicating scent. Just then across from them on the coffee table, where their two cell phones were situated, his cell phone began to ring. Mistaking it for her own she grabbed it looking at the caller id seeing 'Joanna'. She blushed, "Sorry it's yours I didn't...." She began as he sat up slightly and took the phone from her dismissing her apology, knowing it wasn't necessary.

He answered it quickly and his face changed from flustered desire to a furrowed brow of concern. He moved away from her momentarily making her look down at herself consciously. Livie...Joanna...Marie...Busy guy... She thought to herself figuring that she was slowly becoming just another notch on his bedpost. Maybe after all he was lying about not being with anyone for two years. It was a great line after all, play the pitiful jilted lover and get tons of pity sex from unknowing women. She shook her head at herself and sighed not willing to go there. She didn't want to sully the few good days they had by her obsessive need to analyze every second to have some hidden meaning when she didn't even know the full story.

"What happened?" He asked as he listened on the other end. "Okay... Where are you?" Another pause. She watched him as he stood going over to where his wallet and keys were. "Don't do anything I'll be there soon. Thanks for calling." He said before ringing off. He sighed and looked over at Marie who'd changed her position to sit on the couch, a worried expression on her face. "I'm sorry...I have an emergency..." He stated getting her to look at him.

"Oh..." She said standing placing her hands in her back pocket and walking over to him. She immediately felt stupid for questioning him if only in her mind. "Is there anything I can do?" She asked hoping that she could do something to help him out.

He sighed and wrapped his arms around her taking a large breath. "Just sit tight here. I don't know if I'll make it back actually..." He paused looking at his watch, "I probably won't...can we see each other tomorrow?" He asked wondering, hoping even.

She broke away from him and nodded. She wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and see him again. She knew that letting herself go against her better judgment despite her own concerns and fears was probably not the best course of action. But she couldn't deny the way she felt in the moment, and had to follow that, as if by some strange compulsion to do so was compelling her. He smiled and kissed her sweetly but quickly then walked out of the apartment. She closed the door behind him and leaned against it sighing loudly as she felt all of the emotions hit her at once. She didn't want to admit it, and knew she would probably pay for it later but one thing was certain...she was falling for him...hard and fast.

---

Nick rushed through the hospital emergency room stopping at the charge nurse's desk. "Name?"

"I'm here to see Joanna Carter...she's my daughter..." He said simply as the woman gave him a look. He was worried sick about her. He didn't know exactly what had happened only that she was playing and had gotten hurt.

The woman smiled at him sympathetically and clicked through the digital charts on her computer screen. "She just got back from X-ray about 20 minutes ago and is in triage 6." She replied as he nodded his gratitude and took off around the corner.

He found the room quickly seeing Aaron standing outside of it. "Dude what are you...?"

"I was with her when it happened. I kind of showed her how to jump off the swings and she fell kind of weird. I don't think it's more than just a sprain." He said making Nick's eyes bulge and nostrils flare in anger.

"You what?!" He exclaimed quietly as possible. "How on earth did you decide that would be a responsible thing to do?"

"She's fine...go and see for yourself man. She's totally okay." Aaron assured and Nick took a breath and walked in seeing her small body sitting on the gurney. He smiled at her as he saw her look over to him.

"Daddy!" She exclaimed happy to see him. He looked around the room seeing his in-laws, Livie was curled up against her grandfather fast asleep; exhaustion had overtaken her not long before Nick had arrived.

Nick came over to the bed and leaned down pressing his lips to the top of Jo's head. "Are you okay? Your Uncle told me all about what happened...What made you decide to jump off the swings?"

She shrugged and sighed, "I don't know..." She replied in typical five-year-old fashion. He sighed and hugged her as he sat next to her on the gurney holding her. He saw what he presumed was the doctor come into the room and sighed.

"You must be her father?" He nodded in the affirmative and the doctor smiled. "She's only got a severe sprain of her wrist, as long as she doesn't put too much weight on it, it should heal in a couple of weeks. Alternate ice and heat to keep swelling at a minimum I wouldn't wrap it either, that will actually prohibit any healing." Nick sighed as he took it all in his mind not really all that there. He looked around afterwards getting her discharged and on her way back to her grandparents' house

"But Daddy can't I go home with you?" She asked as he buckled her into her booster seat. He wanted to take her home and tuck her into bed more than almost anything in the world but he knew that she should finish up the week with them. If he always let her come home whenever she felt homesick or was afraid he knew she'd never really grow to be the self-sufficient woman he knew she was going to be one day. And even though it seemed insignificant now he knew that it was the best course of action.

Nick sighed and kissed her forehead. "Sweetie I want you to have fun at your grandparents for the last few days you're there, and then it'll be Christmas. Besides if I take you home whose Liv going to play with tomorrow?" He grinned as she seemed to accept his answer and kissed her goodnight. He turned to Meredith who hugged him. "Make sure she takes it easy." He requested making Meredith grin at him. He watched them leave as he and Aaron then went to their cars.

"Dude, you seem different. Normally you would have been raging for hours about this..." Aaron stated as they reached the cars parked about 20 feet from each other. He studied the look on his face almost sedate in a way. "Did you get laid?"

Nick snickered and shrugged as he finished the distance to his car. "Almost..."

Aaron's eyes bulged making Nick crack up in laughter. "Are you fucking shitting me? Was it with the girl I hooked you up with, you know the red-head with the rack?" He asked making Nick pound his hand lightly against the hood of his car.

"No she was a disaster. Let's just say Angel hooked us up...she's nice. I think you've met her once...she designed your birthday cake a couple years ago." He said finally being able to reign in his laughter. He definitely needed the laughter at the moment. He'd been so worried about his daughter, but now that she was going to be okay he felt a weight lift off of him for the time being and then Aaron's reaction to his almost copulation was just the proverbial icing on the cake.

"Marie? As in NYC cake lady Marie? Oh you're just fucking with me now...she's in LA?"

"Yeah house-sitting for our dear sister. Thanks for telling me to go over and feed the dogs. That's how I met her." He explained much to Aaron's amusement.

"So that's where you're headed right now? Back to finish what you started...?"

"Actually I don't think I should...I told her I'd see her tomorrow and I don't want to come off desperate or anything. I mean hell she knows I've gone two years without sex...I'm pretty sure she knows the first time out is going to be a little short..."

Aaron guffawed at him and sighed. "Nick you're my brother and I love you man...but please for once think with your dick and not your head okay? Just go back there, shag your brains out and then dish all the details to me, you know like you used to back before..." He trailed off giving Nick a knowing glance. "You know you want to man..." He cajoled making Nick laugh and shrug him off bidding him farewell for the night.

---

Marie sighed as she lathered up her arms with her lotion, getting ready to go to bed, alone yet again. She thought about him, what he was doing if everything was okay with his emergency. She cursed under her breath slightly figuring that she'd ask him about it tomorrow when she saw him. Everything was happening so fast, although it could have happened faster. She could have slept with him after that first day and completely ruined everything, cheapening it by being easy.

In a way she was kind of grateful for their interruptions when they were getting somewhere. It allowed them both to take a step back, at least on her end and decide that yeah she really did want this to happen. Even if it only ended up being a simple casual affair it would be an experience. An adventure even, something she'd been longing for longer than she could remember. She made her way down into the living room smiling at Romeo and Jada who were curled up on the couch together both looking over at her as she had made her entrance. She sighed hearing the teapot go off on the stove. She pulled it off the heat and poured herself a mug putting in her favorite tea, Chamomile.

Just as she disposed of the bag there was a knock at the door. Her brow furrowed in confusion as she made her way over to the door looking out the peep hole stopping for a moment smiling to herself as she opened the door seeing Nick on the other side leaning on the door frame. "Hi...."

"Hi..." He said back mirroring her greeting. He looked at her, wearing flannel pajama bottoms and a black spaghetti strap tank top, her hair up in a messy bun exposing her neck and shoulders to him.

"I didn't think you'd be here until tomorrow...is everything all right?" She asked genuine concern showing on her face. It surprised him that she was concerned for him, about his situation, hoping that everything turned out all right when she didn't even know the story, who's emergency it really was or that it was him being the concerned parent he was.

"Neither did I, yeah everything's fine actually..." He replied thinking for a moment at how he was so glad that his daughter was okay, that it was really a very minor accident when it could have been so much worse. It made his decision to come back to her that night seem to make even more sense than what his brother had put into simple crude words for him. He wanted this; she wanted this...so why couldn't they? They were consenting adults after all. He took a breath smelling the vanilla orchid and cherry blossom scent of her lotion wafting towards him and smiled lightly at her.

"So then what are you doing here?" She asked giving him a sideways glance. She knew exactly why he was there. And the thought of it made a thrill run through her sending chills down her spine.

He smirked playfully at her his eyes roaming her face and neck. "I don't know what am I doing here?" He asked flirtatiously but clandestinely kept a completely straight face, as if to challenge her to make the first move.

She smiled one hand on the door as the other, instinctually reached for him wrapping around the back of his neck pulling him into a fevered kiss as she yanked him into the condo, slamming the door behind them both, her cup of tea on the counter completely forgotten in the heat of the moment between them.

End Notes:
Keep those awesome reviews coming....because they're oh so inspirational! thanks soo so sooooooo much!
Chapter 8: The Night Before The Morning After by Teri
Author's Notes:
Wow, just wow everyone, I'm still in shock about your love of the story. I'm glad you like it! I know I left you on a mean cliffie but...I hope this makes you feel better hehe! Enjoy everyone!
Chapter Eight: The Night Before The Morning After

    Silence...there was an overwhelming silence in the room. No voices, no real sounds other than the reigning in of two sets of lungs as they laid on the sofa. Marie draped over him her hair splayed above her head on his upper torso and over his shoulder. She closed her eyes, then opened them doing this several times as her mind replayed the feverish events just a few moments before hand. At the same moment, the same exact thoughts ran through his head, as he suspected it was much more of a quickie than anything. He chuckled slightly at the suddenness of their reactions to each other. It shocked him at how easily he fell back into his instincts. Then again it was only two years since his last encounter and not the entirety of a lifetime it sometimes felt like.
    
    Finally after he felt himself calm enough to even really form rational thought he spoke. "That was..." He began but lost his nerve as she lifted her head her hair cascading all over to one side of her head looking completely haphazardly beautiful to him.

    She grinned at him, the small curve of her mouth growing into a satisfied smile. "Good..." She said softly her voice sounding gravelly and low. She did admit even though it wasn't exactly what either of them had planned they both knew that being out of practice lead them to have little to no self control the first time out.

    He smiled back at her brushing the hair out of her eyes and off to the side with his hand. "Yeah? It wasn't too...quick right?" He asked feeling embarrassed for feeling such a need to seek approval from her. But at the moment, he was completely and utterly desperate for it. To know that he was able to satisfy them both would definitely boost his ego.

    "Well that was to be expected...it's been awhile for you...but still I know I enjoyed it." She replied smirking at him as she shimmied her way up him both of them groaning slightly at the friction of their skin-to-skin contact. She leaned down pressing her mouth to his silencing all of his doubts and self-conscious fears that seemed to want to bubble to the surface. She broke the kiss smiling at him as she ran her fingers through his hair. "Besides...we barely made it in the door. Thank God the sofa isn't far from it or it would have ended up on the floor." She replied with a smirk before moving to get up and off of him grabbing the blanket on the back of the couch to wrap around herself. She looked over to the box on the coffee table smirking at how he'd probably stopped at the drug store on the way over. "Came prepared eh?" She asked chuckling at him.

    He smirked at her sudden modesty and sighed pulling on his boxers from the floor. "Yeah, I figured, always be prepared..." He replied making them both smile at each other then look away for a moment an almost awkward silence falling over them. He looked at her for a moment and then around the room not really sure what to do next. "Okay...awkward moment here...I'm sorry for complicating things between us...It's just that I..." He trailed off he was scared really. Things were moving very quickly between them and as much as he knew she was completely okay and comfortable with what had happened, he was at a complete loss as to where to go next.  Suddenly, to interrupt his rambling on how he didn't want to complicate anything between them, he felt her stand and look at him. She smirked, grabbing the open box of condoms they'd thrown onto the coffee table and held out her hand making him grin at her. He took her hand and stood with her following as he was lead up the small spiral staircase to the master bedroom. He swallowed slightly oddly feeling nervous. This entire night was a huge step for him. It made him scared even to think of what all of this could mean. It had been so long since he'd been that close to another person and the fact that the first time they had was now leading in to a second was making him slightly nervous as to what exactly could be happening here.
   
    She tossed the box onto the nightstand as they entered the room. He stopped her and looked her over seeing her disheveled hair and expectant look. He reached out taking the blanket from around her shoulders revealing her body again to him. Her breathing increased as he leaned forward his hands cradling either side of her neck as he looked at her face. He moved in slowly, gently kissing her as her arms wrapped around his shoulders pulling his body against hers. He broke the kiss and looked at her as she glanced up at him curiously then backed her way up onto the bed motioning for him to join her. He swallowed hard and joined her but not before tossing his boxers off to the side. She smirked and wrapped her arms around his neck as he let his hands go to her sides and drift around her back.

    He paused for a moment trying to think out what he wanted to do. He wanted this time to be much longer than the first, to make sure without a doubt that she enjoyed it to the fullest. Getting an idea he laid her down on the bed making her try to pull him down to her, letting her do so only momentarily. He shifted his weight to the side of her and started his hand at her neck sweeping down the middle of her body. He didn't really realize how much he missed the touch and the sight of a woman's body until now.
   
    She breathed heavily letting her eyes flutter closed as he followed his hand with his mouth, his hand covering one breast kneading it gently making her sigh. He did the same with the other and then kissed his way down her abdomen grinning slightly at how the muscles trembled under his touch. He moved his hand to her inner thigh inching it upwards until it grazed across her, a gasp emanating from her mouth in response. He kissed his way back up her body as his hand kept teasing her making her ache for more than the light touch he was allowing at the moment.

The mere fact that he was paying such special attention to her body made her shudder. It wasn't something she was used to that's for sure. In her experience it was all about getting to the main event and not lollygagging with the extras. She felt his fingers slide against her, inside of her and she grew restless. She wanted to come that was for certain but she wanted him with her, to follow within seconds of her if at all possible. It was more about mutual gratification than her own personal pleasure. Getting impatient she pushed his hand away from her and pushed him to sit back on his heels. She smirked as he gave her a perplexed expression in response to her bold move. Leaning over she grabbed a foil package from the box on the nightstand ripping it open as she moved toward him keeping eye contact with him as she placed it on him.

    He watched in amused amazement as she climbed onto him making them at complete eye level with each other and press her lips to his with almost contradictory gentleness, a stark contrast from her bold moves on him. The both of them held their breath as he entered her, their eyes still locked in a stare. They clung to each other as they began to move together, the heat already building between them to a fevered pitch. He listened to her sounds, soft breathy moans and heavy labored breathing in between the kisses they were sharing. She smiled into the kiss before leaning her head back for a few moments to which he took advantage of the exposure of her neck and latched his mouth to it, nipping gently between the feather-light kisses he placed there. She sighed his name and the began moving more and more frenzied with each other. He smiled against the skin of her shoulders and pushed them to lay on the bed cradling her against himself as he moved on their legs entangling.

    He leaned up on his elbows looking down at her face, he studied her closely remembering every detail of how she looked, her eyes nearly closed, her brow furrowed in concentration, mouth slightly open as she breathed and groaned. He leaned in claiming her mouth feeling himself getting closer to the edge than ever before. He kissed her as he felt her body begin to tremble, her hands digging into his back and her muscles clenched around him making him growl against her mouth breaking the kiss as he felt her ride out her release. He felt his body begin to plummet over the edge but he kept moving prolonging the feeling for them both as much as he could before his body completely tensed and he collapsed against her. She smiled chuckling under her breath, a clear indication she'd indeed enjoyed herself. He looked up at her and smiled back before pressing his lips to hers.

    "And that didn't complicate things at all huh?" She quipped mirroring his earlier concern for moving too fast too soon. He laughed at her and kissed her again as he moved to her side holding her next to him. Even he had to admit, that this sort of complication was a welcome one.

---

    The following morning Marie stirred slightly reaching out to her side but felt nothing but rumpled bed sheets. She opened her eyes lifting up her head to see the other side of the bed was indeed empty. Her heart sank slightly but then regained form as she saw a small yellow post-it note on the pillow beside her. She grinned seeing masculine script on it.

Coffee and breakfast

    The note was simple, direct but it made her smile that he'd decided to go out and get her some food after the night they'd spent together. She sighed rolling onto her back looking up at the ceiling warmth washing over her as she remembered the entire evening. Reluctantly she got up not caring that she was naked and went into the bathroom to take a nice hot shower.

    Down in the living room Nick had just entered through the door with breakfast, Romeo and Jada running to meet him at the door barking their greeting to him. He smiled and set the tray of two coffees and the bag of breakfast down. He scratched both of the dogs heads and cleaned up the kitchen smirking at the ice cold cup of tea that was on the counter, he emptied it into the sink as well as the teapot letting them soak in some soapy water. He heard the shower going upstairs and smirked thinking of the night before as he walked around to the living room silently cursing at himself at the condom wrapper on the floor. He picked it up dropping it into the trash can and plopped down onto the couch smiling to himself at how things were going. He liked her, more and more all the time. That simple fact alone kept him coming back but to add the intense physical attraction between them and the chemistry they had, he realized that he didn't want to just get out on the dating scene to see what was out there...he wanted...a partner...and Marie was fast becoming someone he could see himself with.

    That thought process alone would have completely scared him the night before but now...after waking up beside her and seeing her so contentedly asleep by his side, he realized that he was developing something for her...what it was he wasn't quite sure yet but there was a nervous excitement in him to follow it for however long it may last.

    The stairs creaked interrupting his thoughts as he looked up seeing her descend the stairs, her wet hair in a ponytail and wearing a simple pair of jeans and a well worn tee-shirt. He smiled at her standing up and went over to the bottom of the stairs meeting her at eye level when she hit the last stair. He leaned in kissing her slowly making her smile and break the kiss. "Wow...you sure know how to give a girl a good morning greeting..." She retorted making him smile at her. She sighed and followed him as he walked to the counter where the coffee and food was.

    "I didn't know what you liked so I just got a breakfast sandwich and some regular coffee, figuring you could add milk, cream or sugar or whatever to it." He said as he handed her a cup. "I kind of ate mine on the way over here...I have a few things to take care of today, so I'm going to get those things done, and then we're still going out tonight right?"

    She smiled at him brightly and nodded. Of course she would go out with him that night she loved spending time with him, and even though they wouldn't be spending the day together she most certainly wanted to spend the night with him. "Any special requests?" She asked not knowing what to wear, not really knowing where he would be taking her.

    "Wear something you'd wear on a date." He quipped back kissing her quickly on the lips and then turned to leave bidding her farewell for the day. He left the apartment smiling, for once completely happy and it didn't have anything to do with something one of his daughters had done to make him proud. In fact he was pretty proud of himself. In one singular evening he'd not only taken a huge step toward moving his life toward something, new exciting and definitely into territory he hadn't allowed himself to be privy to in a very long time.
 
End Notes:
As always Read and review...it makes us authors very happy!
Chapter 9: Falling, Falling Fast by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay i am so glad you all like the story so far! it's about to get deliciously complicated as Darby so rightly put it! I hope you all enjoy!
Chapter Nine: Falling, Falling Fast

    Back in the hustle and bustle of New York, Becca steadied her arm, fully equipped with piping bag in her hand. She carefully twisted her wrist creating the design she desired on the cake in front of her. She was excited that Marie had really trusted her enough to take on a larger role within the bakery. She knew that being hired on as Marie's sous chef and essentially her right hand would mean that Marie was essentially her boss. But she rarely ever invoked her right as her boss, treating her much more like a colleague than a subordinate. At the same time she wanted to prove herself, to show Marie that she could take the reigns of Marie's pet project and keep it just as successful as Marie could. And now that she had her chance she was definitely thrilled to do this to show her that she could be able to take time away from her business yet come back to it just as she left it.  What's more was that now that Becca could handle being in a managerial position as well that meant they could also increase their clientele and make the bakery even more profitable than before. All in all she knew it was a win-win situation for them.

    Just then the phone next to her rang and she jumped slightly, thanking God that she didn't mess up the cake in front of her. "Hearth and Home Bakery this is Becca speaking." She rattled off cradling the phone between her head and shoulder. She had always loved the title of the shop, it was quaint and different than most of the kitschy catchy business names out there. The name itself was beginning to garner attention around New York, it was a nice thing to be apart of not just a growing business but a thriving one at that.

    "Hey...how's my shop holding up?" Marie said into the phone making them both smile into the phone. She was more than happy to call her best friend. She missed the shop as well, being so far away from the day to day practices and the sights, sounds and smells of her beloved city. She did have to admit that LA was growing on her. In more ways than one.

    "You sound awfully chipper..." She replied making Marie chuckle as she looked around the apartment. She was in an very good mood. She'd spent the day relaxing so far, taking the dogs on a walk, reading a few chapters in her book. Now she was sitting on the bed, painting her toenails.

    "I am I guess, it's been a very eye opening couple of days." She said trying her best to be cryptic. She knew that she was probably going to tell Becca all about what happened but at the same time she wanted to make her work for the information a little bit. Of course she knew she wasn't going to completely give full disclosure but the main events most certainly would be enough in this situation.

    "Eye opening...did you and Nick...?" Becca asked hoping sincerely for her friend that she'd just decided to take the leap and go forward with a possible romantic affair. She knew that it was something that Marie not only needed in her life, but also secretly longed for. She remembered back to when her husband and her were dating in high school, the rush of emotions, the newness of it all and then when they'd finally consummated their relationship it had made them both realize they only had eyes for each other. She knew that was a rarity to marry your high school sweetheart and make the relationship last beyond college, beyond everything and even contemplate starting a family. But then again she knew everything happened for a reason as well and hoped that this turn of events for Marie was happening for a very similar reason.

    "Did we what?" Marie said smirking trying to get her best friend to say it. Marie thought it was funny really, to have such a giddy feeling of butterflies floating around her stomach again about someone. Come to think of it, even when she'd been engaged before she never really ever felt this feeling of nervous excitement before. The feelings that she felt bubbling inside of her were something strikingly new and different yet familiar because of the newness to the situation she was in. She didn't want to really qualify it as a relationship yet since it was so early on in the game, even though they'd had sex twice and spent almost every day together.

    Becca gasped making Marie snicker, "Oh my God you did...Finally you take my advice and get laid...dear I am very proud of you!" She exclaimed almost shocked at the mere thought that finally Marie had taken her advice, to take a chance and do something that was truly selfish for once and just enjoy the ride, so to speak.

    "Now who said anything about getting laid?" Marie quipped back. She definitely didn't regret what had transpired between them, not in the least. But in the corner of her mind it made her just a little apprehensive as to how comfortable she was becoming with the idea of him being around her...in her life. She knew this couldn't last forever, they lived two completely different lives on opposite coasts and even still she wasn't even sure if she was his only one at the moment. She wanted more than anything to give him the benefit of the doubt but at the same time her defense mechanism to protect her heart was struggling to put up the walls around her heart like a moat protecting the castle where her heart was locked away in the highest tower.

    "You didn't have to it is written all over your voice sweets." Becca replied. It was certainly a conversation she was happy to have with Marie. As of late she'd almost gotten tired of talking to her about her life, then seeing the look of longing all over Marie's face. Her best friend deserved the same kind of happiness that she'd found didn't she?

    Marie sighed and glanced at the bed the memory of the night before still extremely fresh in her mind. Every sound, and every sensation was all there in her head, on permanent repeat. "Okay, okay he's just...fantastic. Like even out of the bedroom, which we only did that last night. I feel like I'm suddenly obsessed it's all I can think about. He's all I can think about..." She marveled at herself. In all of her life she had never gotten so hooked so quickly on someone. Maybe it was the chemistry between them playing tricks with her head, or the fact that he was so generous with her, definitely something she wasn't used to. It made a knot form in her stomach at the thought that she could very well be having more feelings for this guy than she planned on. She didn't want to fall for someone then only have to leave a few weeks later.

    "You're falling for him aren't you?" Becca asked knowing that the conversation was heading in that direction. She had to admit she was rather thrilled at this turn of events. Definitely hadn't expected it but at the same time she knew this exactly what Marie needed in her life. She needed something to be excited about, something other than work or work related to capture her attention, to hold it and make her feel excitement, and joy.

    "I think I am...and it's scaring me..." Marie replied feeling the knot twist just a little bit more at her admission. She didn't want to fall in love on vacation, especially with someone that she really didn't know as well as she thought she was beginning to. Normal apprehension maybe, but at the same time her heart and head were pulling her in two directions and she didn't know when she'd finally rip in two.

---

    Nick hummed to himself as he stretched and relaxed against the mirrored wall behind him a grin on his face as he leaned his head back against the wall. The other three looked at him giving him odd glances. He thought to the night before. This entire thing was completely crazy to him, he couldn't get her out of his head and really he almost didn't want to. He looked to the guys seeing the exchanged glances and rolled his eyes. "Just ask already..." It annoyed him that they saw through him so easily. He was happy, genuinely for the first time in a long time and it made him nervous, a nervous excitement almost to see what would be coming his way with this possible romance. The amount of potential he saw in this situation scared him quite a bit but like a junkie he couldn't stay away, he needed it like  drug almost every smile...every kiss another much needed and welcome hit and all he wanted was more.

    Brian smiled at him. "You seem happy...something we haven't seen for a long time...Does this have to do with..." He trailed off all of them figuring very quickly that Marie was becoming a big influence over his happiness. It made them all smile that he was finding some measure of happiness again and maybe even just maybe that it might be permanent. Each of them knew though that it all hung up in the air, not even sure where it would lead him especially since he was a father.

    "Marie?" Nick asked with a grin, he spoke her voice softly, almost in a content whisper like it was something to be cherished, adored and not just put out for everyone to see. "Yeah...but I'm not talking about it...I don't want to jinx it." He replied. It was almost like an unspoken thing for him. If he talked about it he felt like it would all come crashing down around him.

It was endearing really, that he didn't want to end up ruining anything between them by saying too much too soon. He'd never really acted this way before. Not even back when he was first dating Anna. Back then he was such a different person, a player and Anna was just another notch on his bedpost to them at least. But slowly, over the weeks and months she grew on him slowly wrapping him around her finger until she became pregnant by accident. Each of them had had their doubts about her, hoping sincerely that she wasn't just after his money or anything, and after a while she proved herself to each and every one of them that she cared for him, loved him and wanted more than anything to spend her life with him. And as time progressed, he evolved into the man he needed to be for not only Anna but for Jo and eventually Livie.

The longer he kept things to himself he felt the longer he could feel like this. There were so many things to complicate the situation he was in. He knew he was falling, felt it throughout his entire being. And that right there is what made him keep quiet about all of it. There were so many things he still needed to tell her...should have told her before they were ever as intimate as they were the night before. The girls being the most obvious things he needed to disclose but how did he do that? How could he tell her that he was a father...a widower at that. That he'd been in love and lost it not by his own stupidity but by fate.

    "Are you afraid of what the girls will think? Or what she'll think of them?" Howie asked. He liked Marie, from the few hours they'd spent in her presence he'd already began to like her and noticed the chemistry building between them But he also knew that she was only 25 years old, and lived 3,000 miles away. How would she react to the fact that he was a father? He hoped that she would be okay with it just to spare Nick's heart anymore pain. They all noticed it, he was falling in love with her if he wasn't already there. They wanted nothing more than to see him happy and settled again. But at the same time each one of them knew they had to be realistic too. What if she couldn't handle it? It was a big deal after all, Nick was a package deal. You couldn't love one without loving all three.

    "I am...I mean I haven't even told her yet and I know I should...it's some pretty huge information and I should have disclosed it before we...never mind." He didn't want to get into specifics of what happened the night before. It had been so completely perfect to him that he didn't want to cheapen it by being that guy. The guy who he used to be. The one who disclosed all the dirty details of a sexual encounter with no feeling of remorse or consequence of feeling so open with such an intimate affair.

    "You slept with her?" AJ asked grinning widely. "Finally ladies and gentlemen Nick Carter is back in the saddle!" He exclaimed making Nick roll his eyes. The three of them laughed heartily at Nick's reaction. It was nice to be able to rib on him for his sex life once more.

    "Fuck all of you...seriously I think I've just made things more complicated between us. I need to tell her...but I don't know how..." He realized now that going for his inner desires was probably not the most responsible thing he could have done. At the same time, as much as it was borderline irresponsible he couldn't help but feel happy about it. It completely complicated things and would eventually make it that much tougher to tell her about his daughters but at the time, the heat between them made it feel like it was the only right thing to do. But he also knew that sometimes to act on want, could be wrong and make things harder later on.

    "You're seeing her tonight right?" Howie reminded. "Why not just let her know..." He was really stating the obvious. The existence of Jo and Livie was really the most important thing he needed to disclose and they all knew that it need to happen soon.

    Nick sighed and nodded. "You know you just might be right...break it to her easily that would be the best thing I could do right?" He said completely unsure of himself. He longed to tell her, needed to even but he just didn't know how. He just hoped that her reaction would be less than what his mind was currently coming up with.

---

    Marie grinned at her reflection she turned looking at her silhouette. She loved the dress she'd bought for this occasion. It was a simple dark blue long sleeve dress with the only skin showing aside from her legs being that it opened in the back in a v-shape that ended in the middle of her shoulder blades. She pulled on her thin heeled knee-high boots and glanced again at her reflection. She definitely felt sexy that was for sure. She secured her long silver strand dangle earrings into place and looked at her makeup, it was light yet enough to know that she'd tried to look good for him and her hair was curled and pulled into a ponytail her bangs and shorter face framing strands curled around her features gently.

    She heard him knock at the door smiling at how he was trying to be a gentleman. He had a key after all so it wasn't that he couldn't just walk in whenever he wanted to. She liked that about him though. That he treated her with such respect and dignity. At the same time it made her all the more attractive. She smiled to herself as she went to the door opening it and leaning on it as he took her in swallowing hard and his eyebrows shooting up his forehead in pleasant surprise. "Hey..." She greeted her voice soft, gentle almost in a whisper. She looked him over seeing the deep grey sweater beneath the black blazer that matched his dress pants. She smiled and turned for a moment grabbing her jacket and clutch.

    "You ready to go?" He asked with a slight crack to his voice that he tried to unsuccessfully mask with clearing his throat. She smirked and took the arm he offered her as she closed the door locking it back. He smelled her perfume closing his eyes partly as he took in the soft subtle scent and resisted the urge to press her against the wall and kiss her at that moment. For a moment he doubted his ability to drive them safely to the restaurant he planned on taking her to, one of his favorite lower key night spots in town.

    "Yeah, so where are we going?" She asked giving him a sly grin. In all actuality she didn't really care where they were going. She wanted to be with him wherever he wanted and now that they were in the same room together all of her earlier obsessing about him seemed to just completely melt away. It was the same for him, all of his concerns, all his worries drifted far away from his mind the minute he laid his eyes on her. And really all he wanted was to just enjoy her company and spend time with her as much as he could while he still could before he would have to drop the bomb on her.

    "What good is a surprise if I tell you?" He smiled at her as they made their way out to his car, holding the door open for her making her grin at him as she sat inside. He went around to the other side and turned on the engine putting it in reverse pulling out of his parking spot then putting it back into drive. Then leaned his hand over to hers taking it in his hand as he pulled out of the parking lot and pulled out onto the street ready to take her out for a night on the town.

End Notes:
Enjoy! lemme know what you thought!
Chapter 10: Flashbulb Glare by Teri
Author's Notes:
so i think i'm really on a roll here. lol I popped in my UnBreakable cd and just jammed this chapter out within a couple of hours. I hope you all enjoy! Thanks so so much for all the reviews! It's getting complicated in here!
Chapter Ten: Flashbulb Glare

    Nick glanced over at her and smiled as he drove to one of his favorite restaurants. Pulling on the street he cursed under his breath making Marie look at him. He didn't want this...not tonight. He thought going to one of the few places the paparazzi rarely ever frequented would allow him to slip in unnoticed. Since his wife died the paparazzi were always on him, wondering when and if he was going to get back out on the scene. Once he did they all made it seem like it was too soon that he was dishonoring his wife's memory. No matter what he ever did it never pleased anyone enough. He learned that he had to do things for himself how he wanted and the paparazzi be damned. However, he didn't want to subject Marie to something like this. He felt and overwhelming desire to protect her from the life he led in the public eye. She was a normal person, with a normal heart and he didn't want to force her to face such scrutiny, especially so early on. He parked a little way down the street and turned to her.

    "See those guys over there?" He said making her look to where he was pointing. "Those would happen to be paparazzi. And I don't want you to have to deal with that okay?" He said trying to explain his motives for what he was about to do. It was the best idea he could come up with really, anything else probably involved them either going someplace else, or going around the back way and entering in through the kitchen. None of which seemed like any good to him at all, thus this was his best option.

    She looked at the small amount of men and sighed she knew this was going to happen eventually, she didn't want this to occur but she knew at the same time that Nick would have to deal with this with her eventually. "Okay so what do we do?" She asked wondering what his plan of action was going to be. She'd seen the way the paparazzi had acted before, a swarm of locusts descending upon someone. She knew that it was really inevitable that she'd have to face something like this with him because as much as he did act like a normal person he was in fact a celebrity.

    "I'm going to have you go in first, then I'll meet with you inside...it'll throw them off if we go in separately." He suggested making her silently nod her head. He felt terrible for suggesting it but he didn't want to subject her to that kind of scrutiny just yet and the longer he could protect her from it, the better off they would be. "It's not that I don't want to be seen with you, because really, honestly that's not the issue at all."

    "I get it, you don't want me, normal girl to have to deal with it. I understand that. So I'm going in first, you wait five minutes then join me. I'll be at the bar." She said flatly. She got out of the car and walked down the street to the cross walk and Nick sighed watching her cursing at himself. Maybe she could be okay to handle it. He didn't know for certain but he smiled as she brushed past the men with cameras without batting an eye lash.

    However, as much as she gave the outward notion that she didn't give one care to the paparazzi standing there she was nervous as all she could be. What if they saw her get out of Nick's car? What if they're still there when they leave? She moved inside the restaurant brushing past them unnoticed. Thankfully she was just a nobody, a normal face in the city of anything but. She made her way to the Maitre d'hotel stand. "Carter...party of two." She said softly figuring he'd put it under his name after all he'd made the reservation himself. Then again celebrities often used code names to delay suspicion as to where they were going for the evening to throw off the throng that eagerly awaited the feeding frenzy to begin. Like sharks in the ocean they could always smell fresh blood in the water.

    "Would you like to wait for the rest of your party?" She asked making Marie smile curtly and nod pointing to the bar. She walked over taking off her jacket and sitting very lady like at the bar ordering herself a whiskey sour. She definitely needed it at this point, the nerves from her almost paparazzi encounter had certainly done a number on her, more than she really wanted to admit.

    Meanwhile outside Nick cut the engine to his car and got out cutting across the street that wasn't really that busy at all. The photographers saw this coming and descended on him. "Nick how are you?" One asked.

"What are you doing here? Are you on a date?" Another asked. Man, were they ever going to get off his back about his love life? It's not like it mattered anymore, he'd been married and lost his love big deal to him but he didn't think it should really be of any consequence to the tabloids. But then again it would make for a juicy story, Nick Carter, moved on from being widowed and out on the prowl. Yeah because that would sell so many papers... he thought to himself grumbling slightly.

"I'm just here to have dinner guys nothing more..." He replied fudging the truth. Sure he was there to eat dinner, why else would he be at a restaurant? But at the same time, he didn't want to let them know that he was in fact on a date, that would have defeated the entire purpose to him having them enter the building separately now wouldn't it? He brushed past them going into the restaurant looking over to the bar and let the hostess know that the rest of his reservation was there. He spotted her easily taking in the small tantalizing amount of skin showing on her back. He walked over to her and let the backs of his fingers brush along the exposed skin making her jump slightly as he appeared at her side. "You ready to go sit at a table?" He asked noticing the small snifter that was almost empty in front of her. He sighed knowing that she was probably upset with him for his almost cold suggestion of entering separately but he also knew it was for the best and that with time she'd see that too.

---

    Marie laughed hard as he finished his story. "Wow they actually did that? God...sounds like they picked on you a lot growing up huh?" She asked referring to the various times that the other guys had retaliated against his antics. Their earlier slight tiff forgotten they both had settled into a warm conversation about embarrassing moments and times with friends and family.

    "Well I wasn't exactly an angel. Much of what they did was retaliation for the shit I would pull on them, I was really into pranks and pulling shit on them all the time and they all would gang up to get me back so really I think I deserved the few times that I drove them so far to make them react like that." He admitted, he was glad that they were able to find a way to move past the events of earlier in the night. He'd felt terrible for having to do it but really what choice did he have? Expose her to the paparazzi and have them hounding his every move from here on out no matter where they went? Or keep what was brewing between them a well-kept secret until he was sure enough that they were strong enough to handle the intense scrutiny that was sure to come.

    "I'm sure karma will come back to get you one day. My mother always said she hopes I have kids who are just like me one day. It's the curse I swear. Although I was a pretty good kid, just was a smart ass for 90% of my childhood." She replied making him smile at her. If that was true he was certainly in for it with Jo and Livie. Livie was so much like him, the same goofy playfulness and massively fast temper. He knew she was going to be the troublemaker out of the two and since she was only three he knew he had time to prepare himself for it when it would happen.

    He figured now was going to be the best time to tell her, to explain his entire situation to her. But where to start? How would he begin to tell her that karma was already biting him in the ass being the former player he was in his heyday and now was wrapped around two small female fingers belonging to his beloved daughters. "Speaking of kids...You told me a couple of days ago you do a lot of charity work with kids back home...Do you like kids?" He asked.

    She cocked her head to the side not sure where this was coming from. "Yeah I love kids actually, I volunteer a lot just because really it's something to do aside from work. I have a class once a month at the shop where I teach kids how to decorate cakes and how to bake. It's great and it makes me feel good to interact with kids of all ages. Why do you ask?" The question intrigued her. She'd never really ever been asked what she thought of children before. Of course she'd never really been out with someone like Nick before. She was curious to hear his answer and really anything else he might have to say on the subject.

    "Curious really...I guess as you get older you think about family more and more. I was just kind of wondering what your take on that was...." He said trying to skirt around the subject. He realized before he dropped the bombshell on her he wanted, no needed to know what she thought of the idea of kids. He needed to know that she wanted kids, liked being around them only then could he make sure that she would be at least partly comfortable with the idea of his own fatherhood.

    "So you're trying to find someone to settle down with and have kids with am I right?" She asked hoping to deduce his cryptic reply correctly. The once light funny conversation suddenly went to a very serious place and she wasn't sure what to think or really expect from him.

    "Eventually yeah...I mean it's important don't you think? To find the right person who shares the same values right? And you didn't answer my question...what's your take on having kids." He asked again wondering, hoping that she'd give a good answer. It was scary to him, how much potential he saw brewing between them. She was exactly the type of girl he could see himself with and the only thing that could completely make or break any possibility of something more serious would be her reaction to his situation.

    She smiled and nodded, "I want them, definitely. I always thought if I didn't get married or have any biological children that I'd adopt." She explained making his eyes light up a little bit. That right there gave him hope that she was definitely going to be okay with what he had to tell her. Just as he was about to ask her about what she thought on the subject of blended families she interrupted him. "Do you wanna get out of here?" She asked smiling at him. They'd long since finished their dinner, and had dessert.

    He took a breath and smiled at her. Maybe telling her at the condo, a comfortable private place where the chance of making a public spectacle of herself wouldn't be cause for concern. He knew this was going to be big news and something that was certainly going to shock her to the core but he didn't feel right about telling her in a public place, where she'd either disregard that fact or be forced into submission of her own classiness to bottle up her shock and release it on him later. He called for the check smiling as she reached for her purse but waved her off. "I appreciate the reach but I've got this." He said making her smirk and stand up taking her coat and walking with him as they went to the door. He stopped a little bit before looking out the large windows and the revolving door to the hotel where the restaurant was located. He saw the street and sidewalk were practically empty, with no photographers in sight and sighed in relief. "Think you can handle walking with me to the car. I think they left..." He said with an impish grin.

She smiled and nodded lacing their fingers as they walked out of the hotel. Not but a few moments as they hit the street the photographers that were off out of eye view on the corner approached them snapping photos and asking question upon question about Nick and this girl he was with. "Nick who's the girl? Is she your girlfriend?" The sudden attack startled her, her heart beating out of her chest, this was exactly what he was afraid of happening and it happened anyways despite his earlier prevention.

Marie held her head straight, avoiding their stares and flashbulbs as Nick ignored their questions and picked up his pace dragging her behind him cutting across the street to his car. He opened the door for her letting her get inside as she kept herself as calm as she possibly could. Her heart was still pounding  and their questions were ringing out of her ears, her eyes burned from the flashbulbs going off against the car. She watched as Nick made his way around to the other side of the car politely asking them to move so he could pull out.

When they didn't he raised his voice, but still kept it eerily calm. "Come on guys get out of the way I don't want to run anyone over." He semi-threatened through gritted teeth. He'd been through this before with Anna, with all of his previous romances and he hated every second of it. If it were his choice he'd have a moratorium on tabloid photographers. He got in the car as they moved out of the way. He cranked the engine and pulled out despite the intensity of the flash on both of their faces. Once he was down the street he sighed and shook his head. "I'm sorry..." He said softly driving her back to the condo. "You see why I didn't want to subject you to that? Vultures...fucking vultures I swear..." He muttered still frustrated and angry not only at the paparazzi but at himself for letting his guard down for even a moment thinking that they were in the clear.

The entire ride back to the condo Marie was silently staring out the window watching the street pass her as he drove at near breakneck speed back to his sister's place. He parked and got out going over to her, his mind in complete overdrive. He wanted to tell her, now more than ever. All he had to do was get her inside and he'd lay everything out on the line for her, apologize for not saying something sooner and then go away for a while, let her mind process everything. Yeah, that was his plan...he knew that if he didn't that it would just make the situation worse in the long run. Her silence, though scared him. He knew she was internally rattled from what happened with the photographers, this being her first real encounter with them It hurt him that she hadn't said anything but he knew that she probably was trying to spare him her shock and fear at what happened.

He helped her out of the car and walked her into the building noticing that her arms were folded under her chest. He knew something was up and he wanted to get her to talk to him. He stopped her by the door of the apartment pressing her body up against it kissing her softly. "Sorry. Really." He said his eyes full of apologetic sadness.

She sighed and nodded. "It's okay... I think I'm just going to go to bed though...I had fun tonight for the most part..." She said her mind not really being able to process the experience she just went through.

"Are you sure? I mean there's so much I need to talk to you about...not just the paps...But there's a lot of other things that are really important..." He said trying his best to cut to the chase. He needed to tell her and if he could just get inside the apartment he could lay it all out on the line for her, let her mind process it and understand why the paparazzi were so bloodthirsty for a new romance for him.

She shook her head and he sighed disappointedly. "I don't think I can handle talking right now...Seriously I just want to go to bed...I'll call you though...Okay?" She replied making him sigh again only this time in abject defeat. She leaned forward and kissed him gently  and he closed his eyes for the brief moment the kiss occurred almost scared that this was going to be the last time he got to do that. She broke the kiss and opened her door going inside and gave him a weak half grin. "Night..." She said before closing the door. He closed his eyes grimacing at the fact that the paparazzi probably just ruined everything for him.  

He walked down the hall cursing himself for not getting it all out at the restaurant. It had been his only chance really to tell her...and he blew it utterly and completely. Some days he really hated the life he led and tonight was definitely no exception to that rule.

Back inside the apartment Marie felt the tears sting her eyes as she took off her coat hanging it up. She looked over at Jada and Romeo and sighed. "Oh stop looking at me like that. You have no idea what just happened..." She said feeling horrible for shutting him out. She didn't want to, in fact she wanted him to crawl into bed next to her and hold her more than anything. She sighed and walked up the stairs taking off her makeup and getting ready for bed...alone once again.

End Notes:
thanks so much! reviews = love hugs and cookies!lol thanks again!
Chapter 11: Evergreen by Teri
Author's Notes:
Woo! another chapter, this one has a pretty big cliffie at the end hope you all enjoy!

Chapter Eleven: Evergreen

    Marie messed up...she knew that. More than knew that...she'd spent the better half of the morning replaying the events in her head over and over. Just as she was beginning to really behind to fall for him the whole bit with the paparazzi happens and throws a huge chink in her chain. She freaked out, she knew that she shouldn't have but she couldn't help it. He swooped into her life, just as she was trying to make  a change and he makes her feel all these amazing things, passion, desire, and maybe even the beginnings of love. No, she didn't want to consider that she might be falling head over heels for someone she barely knew.

    Handling the paparazzi was going to be a big issue for them. Especially if she followed her thoughts through to conclusion. It scared the living hell out of her how much potential he had. She loved talking with him, a big plus, he made her laugh which was an even bigger one. Add to it the fact that the chemistry between them was undeniable and you had almost a Malakoff cocktail brewing that was just waiting to explode with them left in the aftermath, together or separated that she couldn't see far enough to determine. But she didn't care, either he made her feel like...well he just made her feel and that was the most unnerving part of their whirlwind... Could she really say relationship? Were they even to a point where this thing that was happening between them could be justified as a relationship? They had all the elements there, great times together, great conversation... fantastic sex which was mind blowing to connect with someone on just so many levels. But then again did she even really know him? Intimately yes, she could describe every second of their physical encounter and also she discerned his personality very quickly but there was something he was keeping from her. Something he wanted to tell her but somehow couldn't bring himself to just yet.

    He said it himself, there were so many things he needed to tell her, needed to explain to her and not just about the photographers and things like that. She wondered what those things really could be. It was times like these she really needed her best friend more than anything. She'd called Becca three times leaving her messages and hadn't gotten a reply back yet. She figured that Becca was probably busy running things and just didn't have time to answer.

    She sighed and picked up her blackberry dialing Angel's number. Maybe she could give her some insight into her brother's head. She listened to it ring and then pick up. "Hey Ang it's Marie." She announced stating the obvious of course Angel would know it was Marie calling since she had caller id.

    "Hey Mar...what's up? How's LA treating you?" She asked happily as she sat in front of the large mirror her Bluetooth earpiece in place so that her stylist could do her makeup easily without the physical interruption of the phone. She hadn't heard from Nick or Marie lately and wondered what had happened on their day out together. She hoped that Nick had been cordial to her friend if anything but to make a good impression on her of the city she called home.

    "LA is interesting for sure. But that's not why I called..." She said figuring cutting to the chase would be the best thing she could do in this situation. It was maddening to think she was indeed going to her friend for advice on Nick, who just happened to be her big brother. When Angel had suggested she come out to LA in the first place, did she intend on the two of them to meet? Did she think they'd be good together? Or was it just a simple coincidence of fate?

    "Okay..." Angel replied slowly waving off her stylist for the time being. "So talk to me about it...what's on your mind?" She asked completely intrigued now. Maybe something had indeed happened for them. She had to admit her original intention was not to set them up at all. However, if it happened that they hit it off and something came of it wouldn't that be a cause for celebration? She adored Marie, knew she was definitely more than worthy for her older brother, to whom she was extremely protective of.

    Marie swallowed and leaned back against the headboard. "Well...you know how I met your brother right?" She began continuing when she heard Angel's affirmative reply. "Okay so...we've hung out every day since...it's been fantastic and he's amazing...but we went out to dinner last night and we kind of got bombarded by photographers. He was really apologetic about the entire thing but at the same time I'm freaked...I don't think I could handle that type of scrutiny...and then he tells me that he's got so many things he still needs to tell me about himself and his past with relationships and...."

    "And you're maxi-wiggin' out. It's okay really...I think he probably gets that. He's pretty perceptive more than he lets on. But okay what has he said about his past? Like give me specifics here..." She asked not wanting to overstep her bounds as a sister and tattle tell on her brother.

    "His last relationship was two years ago, ended with him completely broken and sad and he's only now gotten back into the dating scene. He explained that the last time he had sex was also two years before, and we umm...sort of did it twice." She explained back to Angel practically hearing her jaw drop at her admission.

    "Okay it is completely true that he's not had sex for a long time and his last relationship did end two years ago. All of that is the truth he just hasn't gone into direct detail of what happened has he? Like how it ended? How serious it was and such?" Angel asked wanting to know exactly how much information he had disclosed that way she wouldn't end up spilling the beans before he was comfortable enough to do things himself.

    "No he didn't go into any of that. I didn't really expect him to either I mean if he's just now moving on then I figured I'd let him opening up in his own time. But what about the other women? I mean he's got to be seeing other people right? I've seen the names on the caller-id on his phone. What other explanation is there?" She replied making Angel chuckle at her. She was really clueless to the real reason behind those calls. Angel automatically knew it was her adorable nieces with their oh so impeccable timing that were to blame for the suspicion.

    Angel wished she could tell Marie that really she had nothing to worry about but at the chance of making her brother very angry with her she decided to hint at the obvious reasons to why Nick had other females calling him often. "Believe me you will feel completely stupid for thinking like that when he sits you down and tells you. I suggest you go over there, today, tonight, whenever and talk to him. His address is in my desktop computer and get him to open up to you. The only other women he's seen in the past few months has been a string of blind dates that have all turned out to be completely horrible." Angel replied.

    Marie gasped, but that still didn't explain the calls...She knew she had to give him the benefit of the doubt now more than ever. "You really think I should go over there?" She asked knowing that it was probably going to be quite a bold move but at the same time, she wanted to see him. Needed to, after all it was Christmas Eve and he was probably spending the holiday alone.

    "Yes, go over there and talk it out...I mean seriously honey I won't tell him your coming but you like him right?" Angel asked reminding her that there was indeed an intense connection that couldn't be denied and she needed to follow it no matter what.

    "Yeah...I think I might be falling for him..." She admitted cringing at the own cliché in her words. Angel gasped a little then smiled. It was definitely a good thing she sent Marie out to LA after all. Maybe they both were on the way to finding some measure of happiness that she'd hoped for even though was turning out completely different than she had expected.

---

    Nick sighed as he made his way out of the house that morning on his way to pick up his daughters from their stay at their grandparents. He thought about them for much of the night but kept finding his thoughts drifting back to Marie, then to Anna and then Marie again. He couldn't help it...he knew for a fact he was really falling hard. He finally admitted it to himself when he'd gotten home the night before. The fact that she'd freaked out about the paparazzi scared him to the core and hurt him. He loathed himself and what he was at times. And that was when Anna had come to his mind. She'd taught him to be okay with himself...to find some measure of comfort in who he was and what he did finding the balance between the man and the musician.

    He tried comparing the two women. Thinking about the differences and similarities between their personalities. They were alike in that they were smart, beautiful, funny and good people but at the same time he realized he couldn't compare them at all. And that realization came to him as he thought of the morning before the night Anna had died.

    "Come on baby...stay home..." He said his big blue eyes wide and pleading. He didn't want her to go to her classes that day...or really any day at all. He hated spending time away from her and the time she had to spend away from the girls. She rolled her eyes at him smirking as she buttoned her shirt looking over her shoulder at how he was laying on the bed, shirtless in only a pair of boxers. He was really trying to get her to stay home wasn't he?
    
"Nick come on... I have to go to school I'm in the last semester...you know what that means." Anna shot back making Nick roll his eyes and sigh. "I know you hate that I have to spend all this time in class and studying and you're left to take care of everything here at home but seriously babe, just think about how great it's going to be when it's over?" She reminded as she left a knee on the bed.

    Nick took the opportunity and grabbed it pulling her over to him laying her on ‘.
top of him making her squeal at him. "Still I'd rather spend the day in bed. I mean the girls are at Aaron's for the day and I really want to spend the day in bed with my wife... Is that really so much to ask?" He replied making her grin, kiss him quickly and get up.

    "It is when I have midterms coming up. I promise after the girls go to bed tonight you can have me any way you want...but I have to go to school okay?" She retorted making him sigh and she smirked bidding him farewell telling him that she loved him. He mirrored the sentiment and sighed laying on the bed.

    He smiled at the memory, she was always so determined to do the right thing. To not only be the dutiful wife and mother but also a student who never missed a class. He had loved Anna that was certain...but he realized more than anything now that the feelings he was developing for Marie were cutting him much, much deeper than anything he ever felt for Anna. He supposed that the deep love and respect he'd had for his late wife had grown, really out of obligation. Sure he'd married her and loved her before hand but he'd only truly committed himself fully to being a husband when Joanna was born. Seeing her for the first time, then seeing Anna holding her, beaming with love and pride had made him realize his feelings and made him that much more committed to his family.

    Marie on the other hand, after just a week of knowing each other he was already falling hard, fast and couldn't possibly stop it, nor did he want to. Something about her had him completely hooked and he just couldn't place his finger on it just yet. It irked him to not really know how to compare Anna and Marie. Superficially they were similar, but on a deeper level as far as the connection he had with Anna and the one he was developing with Marie. Sure how he felt had similarities to both of them on the surface but overall they were so starkly different.

He pulled in front of the house seeing that Jo was playing with Livie, teaching her how to dribble a basketball. It made him laugh at how Jo really tried to be like Anna, always teaching someone something. He pulled his truck to a stop and came out both girls smiling at him as he came toward them. "What's this? Are you two too old enough to hug your old man?"

Both girls ran to him as he knelt down hugging them both tightly to him. He broke away for a moment seeing Meredith had come out with the girls' two small bags and was walking them over to the truck he took them over getting them situated in their booster seats. He gave Meredith a hug thanking for taking care of the girls for him and to give his affections to Ted as well. "Are we going home daddy?" Livie asked as he buckled her in and watched as Jo did her own.

He marveled at how independent his eldest child was becoming. It scared him that maybe she was trying to grow up too fast and he definitely didn't want that. He wanted his children to remain as innocent and carefree as long as possible. He knew the dangers of the world all too well himself and longed all the time for the days when life was so simple and easy instead of complicated, and difficult. "Yeah baby we're going home..." He said with a grin as he climbed into the driver's side and began on the drive home.

---

    Nick sighed as he clicked away on his laptop finalizing some documents before sending them back to Juliette his publicist. Now that his documents were done and he had the girls watching a movie since they'd finished their place and bake Christmas cookies he'd gotten for them he found himself bored. He looked down on the floor seeing his daughters splayed out on their stomachs watching their movie intently. Getting an idea he opened his web browser to a search engine and typed:

Marie De Luca, NYC

    He hovered the cursor over the search button and sighed looking up and around the room. Did he really want to do this? It wasn't like he was doing anything wrong but at the same time what if he realized that she wasn't all that good for him it would shatter the image he was desperately trying to keep going. Whatever it was, he pressed the button figuring he needed to know about her. His eyes widened as the first hit came upon her bakery's home page. He clicked on the link and grinned seeing the website pop up, Marie in her chef coat, poised to draw intricate detail with her piping bag. He looked around the site reading the mission statement, hours of operation and then something caught his eye...an order form. He could have some of the goodies made at the shop sent anywhere in the world. Hmmm interesting...He thought as he bookmarked the page.

    Meanwhile outside Marie walked up the walkway to Nick's house. She liked the house, it was a two-story Mediterranean style home with Ivy sprawled along much of the front wall. She held her large brown bag with her, filled with everything to make him some Christmas fettuccini. She straightened her outfit, a simple pale yellow cotton sundress and a short sleeve unbuttoned cream-colored sweater over it. Her hair hung down in soft waves and she wore low-heeled sandals to match her dress.

    It was slightly chilly outside in the late evening air but she felt fine having had lived through some terrible blizzards that had hit the east coast in her life time, this was almost like summer weather to her. She took a breath feeling confident to apologize for the freak out she'd had that both defied her heart and all rational logic. She had cursed herself over and over for not being able to anticipate the reaction of the paparazzi or at least guard herself against what had occurred. Her initial dismay about having to walk alone was silly really, she hated her subconscious to tell her that having to walk alone should hurt her. It was stupid really when she thought about it and fully intended on explaining her actions and hopefully they could move past her brief bout of insecurity.

     Lightly she rapped on the door straightening herself out as she heard someone coming to the door. Nick opened it a surprised look on his face as he saw her standing there, looking stunning in just a simple sundress and sweater. "Hi..." She said simply biting her bottom lip, and it was really almost his undoing.

     He swallowed hard and looked over his shoulder seeing that his daughters were still watching their movie. He glanced to her again and grinned. "Hi...umm not that I'm not glad to see you but how did you get my address?"

     "Angel told me where to find you...I wanted to come over and apologize for my behavior. I don't understand why I acted the way I did and I hoped I could give you a peace offering and make you some dinner. After all it is Christmas Eve and no one should be alone on a holiday." She said hearing a crash behind him then he looked over his shoulder nervously holding the door to his body to shield her from seeing anything into the house. Suddenly the realization dawned on her, he wasn't alone after all. "Oh...you're not alone are you?" She said feeling embarrassed and stupid for coming over at all.

    "No you're right I'm not alone..." He said admittedly, then suddenly the door moved from his grip and a small light brown haired girl with hazel eyes appeared next to him tugging on his shirttail.

    "Daddy who's at the door?" She asked looking up at him with a curious glance then over to Marie and she smiled nervously almost a little shy to see a girl on her father's doorstep when she hadn't really been around a female that wasn't a teacher or a relative in quite some time.

    Marie's eyes widened as she glanced between the two of them. Nick looked nervous almost fearful of her reaction. Marie's face took on a look of pure shock. He was a father? That was the big secret he was keeping from her? "Daddy?" She mouthed almost unable to comprehend what she had just witnessed in front of her.
 

End Notes:
hope you enjoyed! as always read and review!
Chapter 12: Revelations by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chappy! thanks so much for all the reviews so far! more to come soon!
Chapter Twelve: Revelations

    "Daddy?" She mouthed almost unable to comprehend what she had just witnessed in front of her. This new revelation was certainly something she didn't expect.

    Nick looked at her still trying to find a way to word this news to her. "This is my daughter, Joanna..." He said just as Livie pushed her way through on the other side of him. Marie smiled and looked at him expectantly and picked Livie up putting her on his hip. "And this is my youngest...Livie." He added studying her expression.

    Realization dawned on her suddenly, the phone calls weren't from other women but were in fact his own children calling to check up on him. "Oh...Joanna and Livie...makes complete sense now..." She marveled mustering a smile for the girls. She looked at them they were truly beautiful, Joanna was up to Nick's mid-thigh and looked about kindergarten age and then Livie was about half a foot shorter and looked mischievously adorable.  "Girls this is my friend Marie...she's staying at Aunt Angel's until she comes home from Spain."

    "Would you like to come in?" Jo asked with a warm smile trying her best to be completely polite to the strange pretty lady that showed up on her door step. Nick grinned at her proud of how her good manners were showing through. It was something that he prided himself in, teaching the girls to be proper and polite. Marie smiled at her and glanced at Nick who stepped aside letting her in. She came inside the house seeing the white walls and comfortable furniture in the living room just past the foyer.

    She watched the girls run over to the couch jumping on it a little and saw the big Christmas tree in the corner, the blinking lights and the mound of presents underneath it. "Shoes off!" Livie commanded making Nick cringe and Marie laugh a little. So much for manners...he thought to himself.

"Sorry it's kind of a rule for them." Nick apologized making Marie smile at him and slip off her shoes leaving them by the door. "And could you stop being so bossy Liv? That's not how we treat guests is it?" He said giving her a sideways glance trying to hold back the smile that threatened to break his mouth.  

Livie smiled sweetly and apologized then turned to Marie who was still holding her bag in front of her. "Is that for us?" Livie asked as she bounced off the couch and jumped over to Marie.

    Marie smiled and crouched down to her level. "As a matter of fact yes, I brought over all the fixings to make some dinner...did you already eat?" She asked looking up to Nick who shook his head ‘no'. She turned back to Livie and grinned as she looked through the bag. "Do you like pasta?"

    "Yeah!" Livie replied with a wide grin her blue eyes sparkling in the low light of the room. Out of the two girls Livie most certainly looked the most like her father. She had blonde wavy hair and big bright blue eyes, his smile and she guessed his goofy personality. This entire thing was shocking her to no end. But as much as it shocked her, she wanted to know why Nick had kept this from her and why he hadn't trusted her enough to handle this knowledge. She figured that it was because they didn't know each other for very long but still she figured it might be something he should have shared before they had gotten as far as they did.

    "Girls why don't you take the bag into the kitchen and take everything out to get started, and Marie and I will be in there to help in just a moment." He said as they girls hauled the heavy cloth bag into the kitchen talking amongst themselves as they went.  Nick turned to Marie giving her a nervous glance.

    "Are you married?" She asked the first and most obvious question falling from her lips. She spied his left hand, noticing no ring was indeed present, so maybe he wasn't married, but he had to have been at one point right? Or maybe it was one of those type of things where he'd been with someone and had never gotten married.

    Nick sighed figuring it all needed to get in the open now but he wanted to let her ask all the questions and give her all the history to which he should have explained long before now. "I was...." He said honestly awaiting her next question.

    She glanced to the walk way towards the kitchen and sighed, "So you're divorced then?" She asked wondering if she was still in his life, an active part of his daughters' existence. Maybe that's where they were this past week. He had spent so much time with her, and since he was a single father she wondered exactly who was taking care of his children while he spent so much time enjoying her company.

    Nick looked around the room getting a dark look on his face for a moment and shook his head. "No, widower..." He said his voice low and gravelly, cracking slightly as he said the words. Marie's hand flew to her mouth as she took in a sharp breath taken aback by his words. "Two years ago..."

    "Oh God...I..." She said shaking her head. "That's horrible...I didn't..."

    "I know, it's ok and I feel really ashamed for not telling you sooner. It's just how was I going to approach the subject? I mean it's not something I really want to broadcast out to the world. I don't want pity at all. I'm not that type of guy who goes around telling women his sob stories to get them into bed. Even when I was a complete womanizer I never stooped that low." He explained and Marie nodded taking it all in.

She almost couldn't process it really. The man she was fast falling in love with was really a widowed father of two. It did make sense though, his sensitivity and sensibility about life was not that of just a normal straight bachelor. At least the normal single men she encountered weren't as kind or generous as he was and she figured it had a lot to do with the two little girls who were chattering away in the kitchen. "So that was the last relationship? Your marriage..." She asked realizing that if he'd been single for two years and celibate while he was going through the grieving process then the time they'd spent together intimately was a much bigger deal to him that she realized even at the time it occurred.

"Yeah...she was a good mom...and it took me this long to be okay with moving on with my life. She'd want me to be happy you know?"

"So, uh when we..." She paused her eyes widening slightly to emphasize wordlessly what she was trying to say. "That was the first since..."

"Since I became a single parent, yeah...and it was wonderful and you were..." He trailed off looking away as she interrupted him.

"But I still don't get why you couldn't just tell me? I mean it's a pretty important fact and I think I would have acted a little more responsibly if I had known that you had gone through what you have. I most certainly wouldn't have pushed for us to get physical so soon especially..."

He held his hand up and sighed, "No, please don't think that you pushed or made me do something I wasn't comfortable with. You're the first woman that has made me feel like a man again instead of the single working parent. All the blind dates I had before I met you drove me insane because they couldn't compare to what I lost and at the same time they most certainly couldn't handle the fact that I'm a package deal." He replied making her nod. "I know that you have a lot to process right now and if you want to leave it's okay I'll tell them something...but if you'd like to stay and hang out and make that dinner you talked about...then I think you might get some perspective on the situation." He added giving her a way out of the situation if she was indeed too freaked out to handle everything.

Marie sighed and looked at him and even though she had so much to process and think about really right now, in his presence, she didn't want to leave. "No I'd love to stay and make you dinner." She said taking a breath as he beamed at her taking her hand and leading her into the large kitchen in his home.

---

    Marie giggled as Livie made the silliest faces from across the table. "Liv...quit messin' around." Nick chided laughing as well. "It's hard to be the disciplinarian with the comedian over there."

    Marie sighed and stuck her tongue out at Livie making her giggle right back. "Well it's okay my sister and I were kind of like that too."

    "You have a sister?" Jo asked looking up from her almost empty bowl of fettuccini alfredo.

    "Yes a sister. Her name is Sarah. We're very close like you and Livie are. Although we weren't too close growing up, but as we got older we became almost like best friends too." She explained making Jo smile at her. "So what do you two do for fun?" She asked as she sat back in her chair and sighed full from dinner and truly enjoying the girls' company as well as Nick's. Nick stood smiling at the three women and cleared their plates taking them into the kitchen. He listened to their conversation marveling at how easily she fell into conversation with the girls and how she treated them with such respect. He placed his hands on the sink and smiled to himself closing his eyes. He definitely didn't want her to have found out this way but remarkably she seemed to be taking to the girls so well and he couldn't help but be hopeful that she would want to be a part of his life even after this startling revelation.

    He walked back into the dining room seeing that they no longer were there and looked around the house finding them in the girls' playroom. Smiling at how the girls were being so open with her, showing her their sanctuary from the world. "There you are..." He said with a grin as he watched her sit on the small sofa and giggle as Jo brought her one of her favorite toys to see. "Do you girls want to watch It's A Wonderful Life? It is our Christmas Eve tradition and all." He said as the girls grinned. He led them back down to the living room the girls settling with pillows and blankets on the floor. Nick settled on the couch after setting up the dvd player and Marie sat next to him at a comfortable distance.

    She didn't know how to react really. If this were a normal situation she probably would have preferred sitting with Nick his arms wrapped around her and curled up on the couch a content and intimate seating arrangement. But in this situation she wasn't sure of anything and was quite certain any physical contact between them might send the girls the wrong message and what if things didn't work out between them? The girls were now a huge factor in this situation and she couldn't really begin to fathom how to handle it all. She liked them that was for certain. They were spunky and wonderful and she definitely would like to bond with them of course but on what level? What if things between her and Nick got serious? She internally rolled her eyes at herself getting once again one too many steps ahead of herself.

    As the movie progressed she felt Nick's hand reach hers on the couch and cover it. She looked over at him as he smiled at her simply. She sighed and all her thoughts seemed to melt away for a moment as he brought her in wrapping his arm around her shoulders. She seemed apprehensive at first but she glanced at the girls seeing that they were far too engrossed in the movie to really notice the change. She relaxed against him closing her eyes and breathing him in. She couldn't help it really he had this overwhelming calming effect over her and she couldn't really understand it.

    Nick grinned and held her close to him feeling so completely at ease. She was already a hit with the girls, the fact that Jo had given her; her favorite toy to play with was a huge step in the three of them getting to know each other. He liked that she seemed to like the girls but he wasn't sure if she was all that okay with this new turn of events. He watched his daughters smiling as he saw them slowly tire and fall asleep, the movie always had that effect upon them especially since it was already past their bed time. After the movie was over he stood and leaned down gently placing each of them on either shoulder.

Marie watched them as he went up the stairs placing them in their beds. As he laid Jo down last she stirred slightly and smiled at him. "Is Marie going to sleep over?" She asked innocently, she'd been wanting to have a friend to sleep over for quite some time, ever since one of the girls in her class had a huge sleepover party and invited all the kindergarten girls.

"I don't think so sweetie...get some rest okay?" He said simply as she accepted his answer and nodded turning over onto her side. He leaned down kissing her temple and covered her in her sheets smiling at her small form.

"I like her Daddy..." She whispered as he reached her door. He grinned putting on the nightlight and closed the door behind him going down into the living room where Marie still sat her mind making her face contort into a look of deep pensiveness.

"So..." He said simply as she looked up and chewed her bottom lip. She stood and paced a little unsure of what to say, or really how to say anything. To say she didn't have a wonderful evening would be an absolute lie but at the same time she didn't know how to really process the information presented to her in such an unconventional way.

"I don't know what to say...They're really wonderful..." She began as he shoved his hands in his pockets and studied her expression. "But I don't know how to react to all of this. I like you, a lot and this has moved us way past complicated here. I think I need some time to think this over." She said trying to give him some hope but also at the same time to buy her some time from making a rash decision that she may regret later.

He swallowed hard, he knew this wasn't going to be easy, nothing ever really was for him anymore. "Okay... I agree take your time and think about it. I mean you were amazing with them and they like you...and more importantly I like you. But I don't want to force you to accept anything about my life that you're not ready to handle. I want to see this through and see what happens between us but I also need to be fair to you." He explained making her look at him. They nodded and she crossed the room stopping just in front of him. He moved over to her as well and kissed her.

She sighed as they broke apart and she nodded, "I'm sorry for this I just..." She began but he held his hand up stopping her.

"Don't apologize, sleep on it. I want you, you know that already. But at the same time I want you to want me too...and the girls are a very big part of me so I get that you need the time to think this over...and I'm willing to give you that. Just don't take too long." He said with an impish grin. He walked her out to her car and stopped her before letting her get in the car. He kissed her long and hard hoping this wasn't going to be the last time he did so. Things were definitely going to be complicated for them from here on out and as he watched her pull out of his driveway he had a small little light of hope in him that all would work out okay.

End Notes:
as always r&r!
Chapter 13: All I Want For Christmas Is You by Teri
Author's Notes:
So wow finally another chapter! I know it took me longer than I had hoped but I need to take a break every once in a while lol. Anyways without further hesitation here is chapter 13!
Chapter Thirteen: All I Want For Christmas Is You

    Marie awoke the following morning to a loud shrill ring of her blackberry that was charging on the night stand next to her. She looked at it seeing that it was from Becca and answered it groaning at the red digital numbers on the clock. "Did you forget the 3 hour time difference Bec?" She grumbled into the phone making Becca laugh on the other end.

    "Well a very Merry Christmas to you too hon." She replied cheerily on the other end, the mere happy tone to her voice made her cringe with sleepiness. She hadn't gotten to sleep much more than maybe an hour before Becca's phone call she'd been up the entire night really thinking about everything that had occurred in the last week. For one she had flown across the country, something she hadn't done really ever. She'd been around the world but never west of the Mississippi. She'd done something for herself for once in her life and look at what fate brought her. A guy, a great one at that, just one minor snag; he was a widower with children. She didn't see the kids really as being a problem at all really. She even enjoyed their company immensely and could possibly even see a relationship with Nick and them happen in the future.

    However, the title of widower was the main issue. There were so many things that could be the reason as to why he's moved on with his life now after just two years of a separation like that. Was he looking for a replacement companion? A fill-in for a mother for his daughters? She knew on some level she was being ridiculous with all these questions plaguing her mind. But at the same time it was important to know these things. "Bah humbug." She said for good measure. Normally she loved this time of year. Back in New York there were so many things to do. Ice skating at Rockefeller, the Nutcracker at the Met, snow.

    "What's eating you? Everything okay? Did something happen with Nick? I just now had the time to return your calls it sounded pretty important. I'm sorry about not getting back to you sooner, just business picked up and yeah, you know how crazy it gets here around the holidays." Becca rattled off in her caffeine induced rant.

    "Well I met the paparazzi and got a little freaked out, but really that's not even an issue anymore there was something looming that I didn't even see coming and I was completely blindsided." She replied honestly. It was very true that this turn of events had completely caught her off guard. The paparazzi incident didn't even faze her anymore at this point when there were much more poignant and important issues on the table.

    "Like what?" Becca asked wondering what exactly she could be getting at. She knew that Marie had her suspicions about Nick possibly being some big player type of guy who used women at his own disposal and pleasure. Somehow though by Marie's voice she knew there was something quite unexpected about to be giving to her.

    "Well you remember how he was getting calls from females?" She asked and Becca replied affirmatively letting her continue on to her point. "Well after the incident with the photographers I felt bad for my reaction and I went over to his place to apologize and cook for him and everything. So I get there and he's evasive and nervous and then out pops a little girl...and she asks ‘Daddy who's at the door?'"

    Becca gasped and held her hand to her mouth not quite believing the shock that set off inside of her. He was a father? Did that mean he was married? Of course in this day and age being a father and unmarried was rather commonplace but from the descriptions Marie had given her of their conversations Nick didn't seem like the type to just impregnate a woman and then not accept his responsibilities in a more old fashioned way. "He's a parent?"

    "Oh it gets better..." Marie added before continuing. "Then out pops another little girl, one that looks a lot like him and she's the youngest of his two children. Joanna and Livie are their names and they're absolutely fantastic wonderful and beautiful little girls. But here's the kicker..." She paused for dramatic effect and heard Becca almost stop breathing in anticipation. "He's widowed..."

    "What?" Becca asked astonished at her statement. She'd expected, married, divorced or maybe even still sleeping with the mother or possibly mothers of the two girls. But a widower now that was something she wasn't expecting at all. This brought a whole new set of questions to her mind. "When?"

    "Two years ago. That was his last relationship. Do you realize how much pressure that is now? To live up to someone I've never met and never will meet? What if she was the embodiment of perfection and that's why he married her? I can't compete with that."

    "I hardly think she was perfect Mar. Seriously she was human hence she had to have some flaws. Talk to him about it and find out if you can compete with that as you say." Becca countered. She was right though, she was human and had to have some flaw in her design somewhere. After all everyone did didn't they?

    "Even still, what if things get serious between us. I don't think I want to apply for the step-mom position." It was true really she didn't want to have that title at all in the least. She also didn't want to be one of those types of women who loved the man and despised the children. But at least she knew that she already liked the girls, they were funny and smart and a lot like their father more so than Nick probably even knew. Most importantly they adored their father, he was a good parent from the minimal time she'd spent with them the previous night. He was firm when he needed to be and loving for everything else, and those two loved him for it.

    "Marie Katherine De Luca...You wouldn't be the step mother or replacement mother or whatever. And I'm pretty certain that's not why Nick is dating again. Yeah he might be looking for a positive female influence in their lives but hello he has Angel to be that too. Really if you think about it this way, you'd be just one more positive female presence in their lives. I mean look at you 25 years old, own your own business in New York for Christ's sake. That is empowering for a little girl to see. You could be an amazing role model for them by just being kind to them. You don't need to be a parent; they have one that does everything for them just try to be their friend. You know how to do that. You make friends with the kids in your classes all the time."

    "But it's different Becca...What if Nick and I get serious and then it doesn't work out? Where does that leave them?" She asked of course going into a possible future that shouldn't be of any concern to her in the present. But then again Marie was always like that. It didn't matter to her if she got hurt in this process now, but Nick and the girls were far becoming important to her and it frightened her to no end that she was concerned so much for those two little girls just after spending mere hours with them.

    "You really like him and them don't you?" She asked figuring out that Marie's feelings for Nick were growing and deepening by the minute. The fact that he had children complicated things for sure but the thought that Marie liked them too, gave Becca hope that maybe this wouldn't just be a fling for her. Maybe, just maybe this would be something more, something that would sweep her up and give her the happiness she'd been longing for, for so long.

    "Yes I like them. He's wonderful and seeing him interact with them is priceless. They're amazingly perfect. Jo, the oldest she's too smart for her own good and has this smile that lights up a room. Her sister Livie, she's going to be such a ball buster when she's older. Her rampant curiosity is disarming. And he's an amazing father from what I saw, he adores them so much and I almost want to be that person he chooses. Is that crazy? I mean I've known him a week and I feel all these dizzy heady feelings for him already."

    Becca smiled and sighed, "Well then you know what you need to do. You need to follow your heart honey. If it's telling you that you want to be with him, no matter the complications and you can't let your mind get in the way. Let him in...you might be surprised at the outcome." She reasoned and something inside of her snapped. Becca was right, she needed to follow her feelings, to live and feel in the moment. And right now she realized that's really all she wanted to do.

---

    Much later on in the day, across town Nick smiled as he watched Jo set up her toy kitchen complete with plastic food and utensils to use. He knew that it was a great present to get her since she loved cooking and playing pretend. So really why not combine the two? She looked rather content with the life size toy for her and it made him feel good to see both his daughters so happy. Livie at the moment was perched in front of the television playing with her V-smile and learning letters and numbers with the help of Dora and Diego.

    Watching them like this, happy and growing made him feel a slight pang in his chest that he didn't exactly have anyone to share it with. Sure he had his family and all of his friends that had come by earlier in the day, but it wasn't familial companionship he was referring to.

Not having a female to share his joy and abject anxiety to his daughters' growing minds made him think of Marie. That alone startled him a bit that he didn't automatically think of Anna when he was lonely. As much as it startled him though he felt oddly at ease with it. Like this weight he'd been carrying for so long was lifting from his shoulders. He had gotten so used to carrying it that felt weird to be without it now. He supposed that it was Marie's fault for it. Coming into his life and turning everything he thought or felt right over on its head. She was different than what most women he met were like. She could be silly, sweet, sexy or pensive. It was definitely not what he was used to with a woman. Anna had been like that to some extent but this was a new thing for him. Even at their best times he and Anna didn't have the connection that he and Marie were developing, even after a week of knowing each other.

Aaron walked over and plopped down on the couch next to his brother and sighed grinning at his nieces. "You've done really good man..." Aaron said marveling at how his nieces were growing up into two of the coolest people he knew.

"Yeah who would have thought I could be a father, let alone raise two little girls on my own right?" He replied giving his brother a snarky glance in return. He knew that it shocked most people whenever fans happened to meet his girls. What shocked them was how fun they were yet pretty well behaved in public. If they only they knew how out of control they could get if he didn't keep such a close eye on them after all they were two rambunctious girls but he also knew how to calm them down, playing music, having their toys at their disposal or really just getting down onto the floor with them and playing for hours on end made all three of them happy.

"No seriously, they're amazing and it's all you. Do you ever get tired of doing it all by yourself?" He asked and Nick shrugged. He did get frustrated a lot being the single father. Times like when Jo thought it was cool to stamp all over her bedroom wall and the six coats of paint it took to cover up the Cinderella embossed markings on the walls. Or other times when he was in bed alone missing the feel of someone he loved in his arms. As his grief over losing Anna had subsided it wasn't really that she was the one he was missing but the feeling of being in love again, to hold that person and know that you could keep them safe from the world if only for a few hours at a time.

"Of course I get tired of it. But it's not like I really have a choice. Women aren't exactly beating down my door wanting to be with me so really I don't have a whole ton of options." He shot back. He did want a woman in his life that was for certain, but a woman who could not only handle being with a famous man but also a single parent wasn't something that was all that easy to find in LA. He supposed the few he'd been on dates with that had expressed knowledge of his daughters were really probably only in it to get famous themselves and figured being accepting of his kids would automatically get them an in with him. What those women hadn't counted on was that he wasn't attracted to them really at all aside from physical beauty.

"What about Marie? You seem happier since you first mentioned her. What's going on there?" He asked hoping that maybe the nice woman he'd met so long ago would be the exact right person for his brother. He had to admit there were vast similarities between the two of them. Both utterly passionate about their work, both single and yet both looking for the person that would balance them out.

Nick sighed and smiled for a moment then his face went dark. He'd almost forgotten that he was supposed to be giving her space right now. He'd wanted to call her and invite her over for Christmas dinner but he'd remembered that might not be a good idea since she wasn't all that ready to be involved with someone in his situation. He had to admit that hurt a lot but then again she was only 25 years old, he had to give her the benefit of the doubt that once she thought things over that they would be able to progress. What he certainly didn't want to happen was that she couldn't accept it and continue in this thing that was transpiring between them. He didn't want how he felt to end and more importantly he didn't want to not be able to enjoy her company even on a strictly platonic level. "She met the girls and freaked a little. Because I hadn't told her before she met them or even before we were..."

"You were what?" Aaron asked looking at his brother who was straining to word it yet mask it so that the girls wouldn't catch on to his meaning and start asking questions he was quite ready to answer just yet. "Oh...that... You two did it?" He asked making Nick nod and he grinned. "Good I'm assuming?"

"Fantastic actually. And I think that's why I'm nervous about all of this. I like her, like being with her and Aaron she was so good with them. She was an instant hit and hell Livie asked me if she was coming to dinner. Do you realize how hard it was to tell her no?" He replied. Aaron grinned at him just as Nick's phone rang and he watched his brother's face light up. "Speak of the devil..." He said smiling as he answered the phone. "Hey didn't think I'd be hearing from you so soon..."

"Yeah I didn't think so either...How was your Christmas day?" She asked smiling into the phone. It was so calming to his voice even more so to hear it with a happy tone to it. Almost like he was pleasantly surprised that she had called and hadn't been waiting by the phone to hear from her. She definitely didn't want to make him miss anything in his life because of her own little mental neuroses.

"Good, the girls have been ignoring me since they got their presents unwrapped. How was yours? Quiet I'm assuming since you were alone and all." He said feeling really bad for not extending the invitation to her. He'd wanted to, more than that even. But as much as he'd wanted to he didn't want to seem like he pressured her to answer him about anything or pressure her into acceptance of his children.

"It was refreshingly nice actually. I relaxed much of the day. Called my sister and my parents wished them a Merry Christmas and all that good stuff." She answered making small talk. "I know you might not be able to get away right now but can I see you? I need to talk to you." She asked into the phone hoping that she wasn't asking too much by asking him to come over.

His heart pounded into his chest at her words. Right then his entire consciousness was no longer located in his home in Malibu. At the moment he wanted to be wherever she wanted him to be. "No I don't think it'll be a problem can you hold on for a sec?" He asked then put the phone against his hand. He turned to his brother with an expectant look. "Can you watch them for a bit?" He asked his eyes almost pleading.

Aaron gave him a sideways look. "For a few hours yeah but I have a flight at 4 in the morning so you better be back early." He reminded. It was almost hilarious to him, his own older brother asking for his help to watch the girls while he presumably went and spent time with the girl he was obsessing over lately.

He grinned and put the phone back to his ear. "Yeah I can come over, give me twenty..." He replied and sighed hanging up the phone. "Thanks lil bro." He said as he put on his shoes and grabbed his wallet and keys kissing both girls telling them he would be back in a couple of hours. He ran out to his car almost nervous as to what she was going to have to say to him. He hoped it would be something good, something that would mean they could start getting closer and closer.

---

    Marie chewed on her lip as she played with the blanket on the couch. She was nervous that was for certain, in the moments leading up to her phone call to Nick, she was making the right choice.  But now she was second guess her decision; she had gone over the words she would say a thousand times since he had agreed to come to Angel's home to see her.  She knew couldn't deny her feelings and didn't want to let the turn of events deter her from continuing things with Nick. But getting it all out to Nick was going to be a different story. How would she tell him? It wasn't an easy thing to just lay out your emotions to someone even when you weren't even sure of what they meant yourself.  And, it had only been a week, she was pretty sure that her feelings were reciprocated by Nick, but she had a flicker of doubt in the back of her mind.

Marie still couldn't get over how kismet this whole scenario really was; after all, it was meant to be a vacation from her life in New York, a much needed escape. Yep, a simple vacation that's all this was supposed to be and now she found this wonderful man before her.  A man with children.  She had been hoping for someone like him to walk into her life, and he had, and now she found herself wanting something she been longing for. She ran over her thoughts, how she was going to spit out all of that. That she wanted him, needed to find out exactly where this sensation building inside of her would lead them. She liked the girls that was for certain and wanted to get to know them.  Dating a man with children was something that had never crossed her mind.  It was a lot...almost too much, especially in combination with the intensity of the feelings she was developing for a man she had known for a week.

Her earlier conversation with Becca had proven to her that she was definitely okay with becoming a part of their lives and wanted to be a positive influence as Becca suggested that she should become. It wasn't something she could jump into easily. If anything this was going to be a slow process for all of them. She needed time to develop a friendship with the girls, get them comfortable with her being around. Even though she would be leaving in four weeks she almost didn't care about the shortened time frame. It would make the moments she'd spend with them all the more precious. Maybe it wouldn't go beyond the time she would spend in LA, maybe it would but she couldn't deny that she wanted to be a part of their lives even if it ended up only being for a brief period of time.

    There were still so many questions she had to ask him, wanted to ask him. Some of them she wasn't sure she even really wanted to know. She needed to ask him about Anna, she needed to know about her, what she was like, what made him fall for her. But still in her mind she knew that she'd always compare herself to Anna. It would be a hard thing not to do. She'd been the one who had tamed him in the first place. Changed him into the man he was today and for that she was almost grateful for her. But at the same time it plagued her that he could just be looking for a replacement. A companion to keep his bed warm and his children happy and would never compare to what he lost. God what am I doing? I shouldn't have...

    Just at that moment as she was cursing herself for inviting him over there was a light rapping at the door. She bolted from her seated position and straightened her cotton jersey dress and running a hand through her hair as she reached the door. She paused gathering her thoughts before opening it smiling at him on the other side. Almost immediately her entire speech she'd been preparing for the last few hours was suddenly gone from her mind. Just being back in his presence made her not care about words or anything of the sort. She knew, however that she needed to get out what she needed to say. "Hi..." She said standing aside letting him in.

    He walked into the condo sighing at smelling her faint perfume as he passed her. He watched as she closed the door quietly behind him and he stood his forearm leaning against the bar countertop as she went into the kitchen offering him something to drink. "So about last night..." He began and she shook her head. He silenced himself quickly and let her talk.

    "I asked you over here, because I wanted to apologize for the whole thing with the paparazzi. I freaked out and I'm sorry. I didn't want to walk alone in the first place, I didn't know how to react with them and I was scared. But then after dinner, when we walked out together I understand why you wanted me to walk alone up there. I see that now. I was going to tell you that last night before..."

    He nodded and sighed, "I'm so sorry for not telling you about them. They're a big part of my life and with women especially here in LA." He said trying to begin to explain why he had done what he had. She watched his lips move her mind not really even focusing on his words. She wondered slightly if his kisses would feel different now that she knew the truth about him. "I've had to compartmentalize my life to keep them away from the blind dates that went wrong, to protect them and myself...I should have told you before we were ever intimate at all and I owe you an..." He trailed off when her lips crashed against his.

Her nerves were on fire, curiosity getting the better of her. She had thought she was ready to have this conversation, to find out where they stood but really she couldn't just yet. Her mind was too cluttered to even think of getting out all the things she wanted to say, his mere presence alone was enough to completely cloud her judgment with her own selfish needs. She pushed him backwards walking him to the wall pushing him roughly against it as her hands grabbed the hem of his shirt lifting it up breaking their kiss only long enough to rip the shirt from him and toss it to the floor.

    He looked at her as she leaned up meeting his mouth again with hers. The both of them closed their eyes losing themselves to the feelings stirring inside. He wrapped his hands around her waist and backed her up slamming her hips into the side of the counter pinning them between it and his hips letting his belt buckle dig into her waist. He backed away a fraction of an inch and gathered the material of her dress in his hands and rid her body of the offending material he looked down seeing her in her bra and panties and breathed in sharply.

She smirked and moved her hands from his shoulders down the front of him and went in for his belt and pants undoing them and slipping her hand inside wrapping her fingers around him loving how his eyes closed and his chest heaved slightly with his laboring breaths. He went to speak to get her to stop for a moment but she silenced him with her lips on his again and he lost his minimal self-control. He lifted her up and turned her back to the wall slamming them against it. His hand slipped around from holding the back of one thigh and pushed her panties aside rubbing his thumb over her clit making her break the kiss and moan loudly. She pushed his boxers down low on his hips along with his jeans giving them each enough access that they needed. They stopped kissing for a moment as she guided him inside of her and they both gasped at the difference in sensation as compared to the last time they'd been like this.

Their lips hovered on each other's; yet not kissing both breathing heavily as he moved inside of her wildly. He broke their stare for a moment not wanting yet another quickie to happen in the foyer. He held her close and walked her into the living room her legs wrapped firmly around his waist.  He positioned them on the couch and broke their intimate embrace both groaning as they pushed their bodies away from each other. He sat back on his heels bringing her to straddle his thighs. She sighed as his mouth latched onto her collarbone moving his mouth and hands down her body unhooking her bra and kissing along her chest. She smiled closing her eyes and tangled her fingers in his hair pushing her body into his. His hands slid down to her waist underneath her underwear and began pushing it off of her while he kissed down the valley between her breasts.

She moved down to sit on the couch and he moved to kneel on the floor next to it as he took off her underwear tossing them across the room. She moved toward him and he took her into his arms twisting them around and laid her on the floor between the couch and the coffee table pushing it as far out of his way as he could laying her gently on the cream color plush carpeting.

She sighed as he lay down with her, her hands pushing his jeans and boxers down his legs enough to where he could simply kick them off. He looked down at her feeling her bend her knees her feet dangling just above the backs of his thighs. They looked at each other for a long moment before he moved himself to enter her again both of them releasing the breaths they didn't even realize they'd been holding in. He dug his knees into the carpet as he reigned in his movements keeping them tortuously slow and purposeful. Every time he moved back against her she cried out softly, growing in intensity with each thrust.

Her hands dug into his back just behind his ribs as he moved down onto his elbows kissing her shoulder moving along her bone structure then up her neck to her jaw nipping at it. She growled gently and he met her eyes for a brief moment the intensity between them in just their stare alone made him crumble. He leaned against her kissing her fiercely as his movements became more and more erratic. He felt her walls clenching around him as she broke the kiss arching her back shivering violently while she rode out her orgasm. He thrusted harder against her, feeling his orgasm fast approaching. She held onto him feeling him begin to release himself inside of her before collapsing against her both of them deliciously numb and out of breath from the encounter.

He rolled off of her sighing contentedly then the realization had hit him, they hadn't used any protection. "I didn't..." He began as she rolled over leaning on his side. "We...didn't use anything..." He said his face sobering in concern.

She snickered a little and smiled, "There are other forms of birth control. I'm on the pill so breathe." She replied making him chuckle a little bit. He glanced at the clock and cursed himself. It felt like their encounter lasted merely minutes but really it had lasted two and a half hours not even including how long it took him to drive from his house over to the condo. "I'm sorry for this...it definitely didn't go as I had planned. There's so much that..." She began being interrupted by Nick's blackberry ringing. He closed his eyes and apologized answering it.

At that moment she felt extremely self-conscious her nakedness finally hitting her. She got up scrambling and wrapped the blanket that had been on the couch around herself like a strapless toga. "Yeah...I know I remember your flight Aaron....Yes I'm coming home...Are the girls in bed? Good thanks man seriously for watching them for me." He said into the phone as she pushed her hair behind her ears still holding the blanket around her. He rang off the phone and turned to her. "I'm sorry...I have to go." He said his face showing how much he really didn't want to go. She nodded and kept silent for a moment as he moved toward her having already put on his boxers and jeans trying to find his shirt and shoes. He pulled her to him cupping her face in his hands and kissed her firmly but passionately. "You are amazing..." He said simply making her smile.

"You should get going...we'll talk later..." She said before she began to feel her hormones creeping back up on her. He grinned and nodded before grabbing the rest of his clothes, stopping to kiss her once more before leaving the condo on his way back to his daughters. He felt calmer than he had in a long time and a lot happier about what had transpired, but he also knew that they had much to discuss, and now it was just finding the time to have that discussion.

End Notes:
thanks so much for all the reviews so far! i'm going to work on responding ASAP! and a HUGE thank you to darby for kicking my butt into gear with the last scene! Thanks so much!
Chapter 14: Decode by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay! I think I found my momentum again!! It's a short introspective chapter from Nick's side of the issue. Next up is Marie's side then them back together soon...hehe. As you can tell from the lyric and the song title I'm kind of obsessed with the twilight soundtrack. Tis my new favorite thing to write with in the background. I haven't seen the movie yet...which yeah...I am going on thursday after turkey dinner! Also the new videos of Nick shirtless on stage (oh thank you kevin for that one finally!)
Chapter Fourteen: Decode

"How can I decide what's right when you're clouding up my mind." (**) Decode - Paramore

    Nick sighed as he drove home that night, his mind was all a clutter. The events that had happened between them had alleviated his worry to some extent. If she didn't want to be with him, she wouldn't have had sex with him again would she? They never did get to the conversation she had started and wanted to get out. He hoped that it was hard for her to say what she was feeling and just went by her action instead. He sometimes had the same problem with spelling out how he felt especially back in his younger days when he was much more into suppressing his emotions than just dealing with them. Anna had made him see that just dealing with them head on made them easier to deal with down the line instead of just suppressing everything and letting it grow until you couldn't control the angst inside.

    He reached home not long after cutting the engine to his car and he sighed resting on the steering wheel. He smiled thinking of her. In a way it was kind of funny how this was working out. When he had needed to tell her about his girls he'd chickened out and went with his physical attraction to her and now she was doing nearly the same thing. Maybe they were more eerily similar than he originally thought. He got out of the car seeing Aaron poke his head out of the front door and then walk out onto the porch closing the door behind him. Nick got out and walked over to him. "Thanks man..."

    "So what happened?" Aaron asked. Nick gave him a look and he laughed. "You gotta tell me. I read them both bedtime stories, you owe me." He replied smirking intensely. He looked at his brother, hair disheveled, clothing mussed and sedate look on his face. "You didn't talk I'm assuming." He said noting his brother's appearance.

    "We started to, but that uh...didn't last too long." He admitted not being able to hold in his laughter from the night's events. "I mean it seriously and she...God...She's amazing..." He marveled not really being able to get his mind to really form coherent thoughts. Aaron laughed at him and gave him a hug and bid him farewell that he'd see him in a week or so. He went inside being as quiet as he could going up the stairs and into his bathroom turning on the faucets of his shower. He disrobed hissing at the stinging sensation he felt when his jeans rubbed over his knees. He looked at the joints and sighed smirking at the nearly impressive sized rug burns that were developing. He turned to the side seeing the small crescent shape marks just underneath his shoulder blades from her nails. Totally worth it... he thought amusedly as he stepped underneath the near scalding spray.

He washed himself and wondered what the next move would be for them. He knew really that the ball was in her court. As much as he hated being so completely out of control he knew she was the one really with all the power in their so-called relationship at the moment. He really could only be with her if she chose it freely and willingly, he knew that he couldn't force her to accept his life anymore than he could force Jo to willingly wear a dress. It was all a waiting game again something he had hoped would have been over once they had talked. But they really hadn't gotten that far into the conversation did they?

He wondered what the conversation would have showed him about her. Did she really want to be with him? That was the big 800-pound gorilla in the room really. Maybe she couldn't break it to him that she didn't want to be with him and just used sex as a way to delay the inevitable. His heart sank at that notion. She definitely didn't seem like the type to use sex in such a careless manner and she had been the one to initiate it this time after all. Her body language throughout it, seemed like she wanted him like it was going to be the last time they were ever going to be that way, yet in her words earlier she seemed to be hopeful as to what could happen.

He got out of the shower, throwing on a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt and went down the hall checking in on the girls. Livie was out cold holding onto her Frankie-bear and Jo smiled at him with her eyes half closed. "Hi Daddy..." She said sofly. He walked in sitting next to her on the bed and brushed a little bit of her hair out of her face.

"Hey doll. You should be sleeping." He admonished grinning at her. He watched as she sat up in bed and leaned over hugging him. He smiled and held her close to him rubbing his hand over the top of her head. "Come on time for bed..."

"Daddy why is your hair wet?" She asked curiosity showing on her features in the dimly lit room.

"I took a shower..." He said grinning at her. He hoped that this would satisfy her questions for now. He helped her get re-tucked in for the night and kissed her forehead. "Love you." He whispered making her grin and mirror his sentiment. He closed the door behind him and walked up to his bedroom laying down on his bed and sighed. This was definitely a complicated situation that was for sure. Really how was he even going to tell the girls about dating? Let alone the facts of life talk that he didn't want to have until they were in their thirties. He knew that was definitely unrealistic but if he could put it off until they hit puberty then he was in good shape.

He never really knew that attempting to have a relationship was going to be so difficult for him. Not even on a personal emotional level for him. Explaining things to the girls, and knowing how and when to expose them to things was going to be the most difficult for them throughout whatever may happen between him and Marie. He knew the best thing to do would be to be completely honest with them but he knew that some things he would have to keep from them. To keep them in dark until things were getting serious would be the best thing he realized. That way they wouldn't get too attached to Marie being around in case things happened to not work out between them.

He rolled over onto his back laying his arms behind his head as he stared at the ceiling. He knew that there were several things that weren't exactly kosher. Her spending the night definitely was going to take a while to even get into. Even though he longed more than anything to see her laying next to him when he woke up he knew it was, for the most part out of the question for a while. He thought about his upcoming plans and how he felt bad for not asking her to spend Christmas day with him. He had wanted her to of course but at the same time he didn't think it would be a good idea. Exposing the girls to Marie more would mean that he would be opening up a can of worms he may not be ready to handle. Especially when she had to go back to New York. How was he going to explain that to his daughters? Even if they decided to try a long distance relationship what would be the rules?

How would they see each other? Or really how would they handle being apart after being close for the time period they already had been together? All of these questions plagued him as he rolled around his bed trying vainly to find a comfortable position that would quiet his mind from all the thoughts swirling in his head. He knew he shouldn't think of everything like this, that he should just go with the flow and handle things as they came to him on a case-by-case basis. But really he didn't know what to do and over-analyzing wasn't going to get him anywhere.

---

    The following morning went as any other day. He got the girls up got them fed and dressed, taking them out to the beach to hang out for a few hours. He made a sand castle with Jo while Livie ran around searching for seashells. Nick watched and sighed as he saw the girls run around having fun on their holiday vacation. A few hours into playing Jo announced she was hungry and in true little sister fashion Livie followed suit. Nick smiled and took them to the diner he and Marie had eaten at the morning after they had gone to the Jazz club. "So what are you getting Liv?" He asked looking over at her while she colored on her kids menu.

    "I want a cheeseburger Daddy." She said making him smile. He looked around the diner seeing the booth where they had sat and sighed to himself his mind still thinking about her.

    "What's wrong Daddy?" Jo asked concern evident on her face. It was so like her to see right through him, to see the turmoil going on in his head. Even though she couldn't possibly understand the angst he was feeling toward the situation with Marie. Still, as much as she couldn't understand it, it made him feel good to see that she cared so much about her father's happiness and tried to make him feel better.

    "Nothing honey, just thinking." He said brushing off her question. While he knew she was concerned he didn't want to even begin to try to figure out an explanation as to what he was feeling when he couldn't even describe it himself. It was like someone had tied a string around his heart and tied the other end around Marie's waist and when he wasn't with her the string grew tighter and tighter pulling on his heart and making him less focused and unable to really think or even fully enjoy his daughters' company when he normally would be so engrossed in them that nothing would be able to distract him. He looked over seeing that Livie was sticking straws up her nose and making weird faces at him. His earlier pensive expression crumbled in favor of a jovial grin. "What am I going to do with you two?" He asked giving them both a look as they both giggled.

    He loved his daughters, more than anything especially when they were the only ones who could pull him out of his over-analytical state and just get him to smile and laugh. He ordered their food and watched as they both played with their crayons the waitress had given them to play with. He grabbed a stray blue one and leaned over to Jo's menu doodling on the edges a little as the three of them sat and waiting for their food, happy to color with them in comfortable content silence.

---

    That night, Nick sighed as he made his rounds around the house trying to pick up any stray toys on the floor. It was hard after all with two young children to keep his house in any relative state of cleanliness. He turned around tripping over a small doll stubbing his foot on the entertainment center in the process. "Mother...fu..." He started to say but stopped himself as he heard two small giggles come from around the corner. "Show yourself."

    The girls made their way into the living room trying to contain their giggles at what their father had almost said. "Are you okay?" Jo asked hardly containing her laughter.

    "Yeah I'm sure you two think it's funny..." He retorted picking them both up and collapsing on the couch with them. The girls squealed and he tickled them Jo scrambling out of his reach and grabbing a pillow hitting him with it. He looked up and started laughing grabbing a pillow himself and tossing another to Livie. "Give me your best shot." He challenged and both girls lunged at him hitting him with their pillows as hard as they could. He got up and ran away from them laughing as they got close and they moved their pillow fight to just before the kitchen. He gathered the two of them up collapsing to the tile with a thud and sighed laughing with them. They laid laughing for a few moments until he heard a growl emanate from Livie's stomach causing another eruption of giggles. "You hungry?" He asked giving his daughter a curious glance.

    "Yeah!" Jo said getting up and going into the kitchen with Livie. Nick followed a moment later and asked them what they wanted to eat. "Pasta!" Jo exclaimed with a bright grin.

    "Yeah, like Marie made for us!" Livie said chiming in as well. He inwardly cringed at the mention, it wasn't that he wasn't delighted to hear his daughters speak about Marie but at the same time he knew his cooking skill was going to pale in comparison. He relented getting all the ingredients he remembered her bringing over out of the refrigerator. He cooked letting the girls watch and smiled as he tried, rather unsuccessfully to recreate the simple pasta dish Marie had made for all of them on Christmas Eve.

    It was crazy that she'd met the girls only two days ago and they still asked about her. Obviously she'd made quite an impression upon the girls and even though he was trying to push her out of his mind for the moment it was nice to know that he wasn't the only one thinking about her too. He sat the girls down with their dinners and they looked at him seeing the congealed mass of pasta and lumpy sauce. The three of them tried it and Nick sighed, "Okay, it's horrible...I'm sorry babes. Your dad is completely inept at making this." He announced making the girls sigh and push their plates away for the moment.

    "Daddy why didn't you just invite Marie over to make it for us again?" Jo asked as if she had stumbled upon some glaringly obvious fact. Nick shrugged and sighed. "I don't know Jo...She's only here on vacation you know so I didn't want to bother her."

    Livie giggled at that moment and sighed. "So! You should call her daddy." She said making him smile and shake his head. It was so like them to give him such a simple and obvious answer to all of his problems. He wanted to call her, knew he should but he couldn't, and needed her to come to him to show him that she wanted him too. If he continually made the effort and showed her that he wanted her and didn't get the same back then they'd get into a rut where he would always make the tough choices, make all the moves and that way he wouldn't really ever know what her feelings were through her words or even through actions.

End Notes:
thanks so much for all the reviews! keep em coming!
Chapter 15: Mercy by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter! hehe anyways thanks for all the reviews so far! keep em coming! now this is marie's side of the issue and a lead in, to the next chapter dun dun DUN! lol.
Chapter Fifteen: Mercy

    Two days...two entire days she'd gone without calling him. God she wanted to, more than that even; she'd spent more than a few minutes every hour holding her blackberry in her hands his contact information on the screen. All she had to do was push one button and then she'd reach him. Be able to tell him everything she wanted to, everything she needed to.

    She was a coward and she knew it, felt it and was ashamed she couldn't just tell him. It was one of the most important things that she knew she needed to get out. She accepted him, as a man and a father and wanted to be with him despite all the complications that were going to come. She wasn't sure what she could do to counter those complications there were so many after all.

    First but not even remotely the most important was the fact that he was a celebrity. They'd been seen together by the paparazzi. It was only a matter of time before they caught on to the repeated appearances between them. How was she going to deal with that on a daily basis? To have cameras shoved in her face and strange people ask her penetrating questions about her private life just because she happens to be involved with someone who was in the public eye. During the first day apart she did a little research on his past. Although she knew she had to get the straight dirt from him personally she knew arming herself with the tidbits of information the tabloids and fans had gathered over the years would essentially help her in handling this aspect of his life.

    What shocked her the most about the fame part of his life was how hard he tried at keeping things so extraordinarily private. He didn't allow the paparazzi to take many photos of him with his daughters opting to keep them as far away from the public eye as he possibly could. She admired him for that really in a lot of ways that he was trying to be the best father he possibly could be to them, protecting them from being tainted by the world of LA at such a young age. She wondered why he kept a house here in LA anyways. Was it because of his work? The girls' school? She didn't know exactly but whatever it was she was glad that he'd come into her life.

    He was making her feel things she thought she'd never really ever get the chance to experience. And really she knew that's why she was flipping out. All these new feelings were scary and held a frightening amount of potential to grow and become her only awareness. The mere fact that he was on her mind constantly for the last few days had driven her to near insanity. Every time she closed her eyes she saw him, felt his touch and her entire mind and body wanted nothing more than to call him back over and spend hours just being in his arms again. The other night she had definitely answered her own question. Just because she'd figured out his secret didn't make his kisses feel much different. If anything they felt more intense, like he was letting himself really feel with her and she liked that. His emotions certainly were all over his face and his actions that night and as much as she knew she had to tell him she felt like almost she didn't have to.

    Maybe her actions spoke louder than her words could. After all she wasn't the type of girl to just go around randomly sleeping with a guy, a guy with kids no less. She'd tried the no-strings thing a long time ago and never really found herself to be okay with the shame she felt afterwards. Now that she and Nick were hooking up she didn't feel shame at all after their encounters. She felt happy to be so close to someone, during the act itself the way he looked at her, how he held her closer, tighter when she wanted him to. All of it made the entire thing between them feel more intense and damn near explosive. She wasn't sure that sex was supposed to be that good with someone she barely knew. Yeah, she knew the basics, and even some of the things that the fans did now with her research.

    It had made her laugh watching videos of him goofing around with the other guys over the years, seeing him as a young teenager and growing into a young man. She saw pictures of Anna, his late wife and her neuroses about her ended. She was beautiful of course; she expected nothing less. But she was also remarkably normal. She wasn't famous, wasn't an actress or singer. She was a college student and so she realized that maybe that was really Nick's type after all. If he'd been able to choose a woman who wasn't all that different from her and make it last maybe she was his type of woman. When she'd first met him and he'd kissed her she figured that he'd done it merely on impulse but now she was beginning to realize that there was really something there after all. That maybe he was genuinely attracted to her and doing the best he could to be both the man and the father to his daughters. She figured it was extremely hard for him. To juggle both aspects of himself, to be the good father to Jo and Livie yet still find time to stave off his loneliness and find a person who could capture his attention and hold it. Yet, also be worthy of his daughters' affections too. She knew now why he'd kept things from her. It wasn't just to keep his daughters protected; it was to protect his own heart. And that simple fact made him all the more endearing. He was just as scared of getting his heart broken as she was. She supposed that most people were like that way, especially after the loss he'd suffered at only 25 years old. He seemed so much more mature and older than only being 27 but she supposed that was do largely in part to having to grow up so fast on the stage and then growing up even faster with becoming a husband and a father at only the age of 22.

    She couldn't imagine what that must have been like for him, to have to accept so many responsibilities so early in life. Maybe it came with the territory of being in his world. Never before had she felt such profound respect for how her parents had raised her. To be just a normal kid with a pretty run of the mill childhood. Without those experiences of her earlier years she didn't know exactly what she would be now, or how successful she would be with her business if she'd even have it at all. She knew she owed her success to being raised right, having parents who taught her to be practical and responsible.

    But how responsible was she being in her situation now? Things between her and Nick were magnetic, almost like they couldn't stay apart from each other for too long, always drifting toward one another. He was exactly against the type of man she normally went for. He wasn't some stockbroker, lawyer or publicist, he was a musician someone completely in touch with his creative side like she was. She supposed since they were both in extremely creative fields that they were somehow kindred and that provided some fraction of the initial attraction between them. His passion about his music and how he talked to her about it was a clear indication that he should always be making music that it wouldn't suit him to be anything but. She noticed, though, that when he was with his daughters that he had the same passion in his eyes that he really wanted to be the best father he could be for them.

    She supposed that it was because he'd had a much less traditional upbringing than your every day guy. He was singing and performing from a very young age and supporting the family not long after that. That was something in a way he should be proud of. That his talent was enough to support his loved ones. She did get where he would be more than slightly resentful of it. Being just a teenager and having the weight of the family resting on his shoulders. She assumed that, that was where much of his parental instinct was coming from. He'd learned early on how to monetarily take care of his family and now he was mastering the art of parenting.

    The girls came to her mind and she found herself grinning at the image of them in her head. Jo was definitely more like Nick than he thought she was. While she looked nothing like him and was her mother in looks and possibly personality, she noticed that she and Nick shared several quirks to their demeanor. Their faces both scrunched up the same way when they were thinking about something important to them. She cared a lot about her sister and her father and seemed to be the consummate worrier of the two girls. No doubt something she inherited from her dear father. Marie figured that Jo had taken on the role of his protector, wanting to see her father happy again and not as broken as he must have been when they first lost Anna.

On the other hand was Livie, she was her father through and through in looks and in personality. She was cute, funny and going to be one hell of a ball buster one day. Even at three years old she had a sarcastic sense of humor that was apparent to see that it was hard for Nick to punish her accordingly because he himself found it to be rather entertaining. Livie's bright shock of blonde hair and big blue eyes made her seem much more innocent than she supposed she was. Add to that, she had her father's shockingly bright smile and his contagious laughter; it was really hard to see how he could ever be the disciplinarian with her.

It was easy to see herself in their lives, as their friend and a role model. She didn't think of herself as a role model per se that was for sure. But Becca had convinced her that being a successful businesswoman and doing what she loved was a great thing to show them. That they could do what they wanted and be happy and successful at it. Having Nick as their father was also a great role model for them, seeing that he could balance family and a successful career would show them that they could really do the things they want with their lives yet still have the bonds that everyone longs for in life and maybe now that she had gotten her own career squared away for the moment that now she could really see where this would lead her if only for the brief time period that she would be in town for.

---

She felt her blackberry buzz across the table as she clicked away all her thoughts onto her laptop and moved the laptop for a moment grabbing the phone grinning seeing Nick's number across the screen. She answered it smiling. "Hi..." She said casually trying to contain her excitement that he'd been the one to call her. She'd wanted to call him, had tried several times over the past few days but couldn't seem to bring herself to do it.

"Hey...umm I'm sorry for calling but I kind of need a huge favor." He began. He hated having to go to her to ask for this. But really what choice did he have? Everyone he knew he could trust this with were out of town or were busy themselves. It wasn't like he could take them to the meeting either. He'd done that once and it had only proved to be the biggest distraction. None of them were able to get any decisions made or work done, all of them distracted by his daughters' personalities.

Marie's breath caught for a moment, she definitely didn't expect this type of call at all, but maybe this would give her the excuse she'd been looking for to have that discussion with him. To ask him all the questions she'd been longing to do for the past two days. "What's the favor?" She asked tentatively. She had a feeling it had to do with his daughters and really if that was the case she was game and would jump at the opportunity.

"I know this is a lot to ask of you since you don't really know them all that well but I wouldn't be asking you if there was anyone else in town or available to watch them for me. I have a big meeting with the record company and then rehearsals and my babysitter cancelled on me and their preschool and daycare is closed for the holidays until after the New Year. Is there any way I could persuade you to watch them for a few hours?" He asked an almost pleading tone to his voice. He hated asking her for help, if he could have gotten someone else, he most certainly would have. But this was his last resort he just hoped he wasn't asking too much of her by doing so.

Marie sighed into the phone, it was a lot for him to ask so early on but she also knew he wouldn't have called upon her to do it unless he really had no alternative. In a way though she was almost grateful he had called her. It did show a lot that he trusted her enough to watch them for a few hours while he worked. "I suppose I could help you out. As long as you promise me one thing..."

He smiled into the phone happy that she was willing to watch them. "What's that?" He hoped that it included time to be spent between the two of them. There was really so much to talk about, but even still he just wanted her next to him where he could simply just reach out and touch her

"When you come back, you and I sit down and talk." She stated knowing that it was too important to get around doing for much longer. He agreed with her and she smiled. "Good I'll be over in twenty." She replied hanging up her phone. She felt a nervous knot twist in her stomach, as she got ready to leave. This was a chance to prove that her decision had been right, that she did need to try things with him, even though they may not last.

End Notes:
thanks so much for reading! as always r&r
Chapter 16: Facing the Music by Teri
Author's Notes:
So yeah...it's uh been quite a while eh? I've been so busy with work, with everything going on in my life that I haven't had much time to write. However I have an awesome beta (Darby) who's been bugging me everyday about writing. And finally I finished this chapter woo! Hopefully more to come soon! Thanks to everyone for all your support and encouragement thus far!
Chapter Sixteen: Facing The Music

    Nick paced a little as he awaited Marie's arrival.  Livie and Jo were busying themselves up in their playroom as he continued to try making grooves into his hardwood flooring of the foyer. He felt terrible really, for depending on her with such a daunting task. He knew that she probably hadn't decided if she even really wanted to be with him and he comes stomping back into her life yet again, and requests that of her? He knew it wasn't fair, and he really didn't want to have asked her but what choice did he have? None of his siblings were in town, all of the guys would be at rehearsal, all of their women were either out of town or otherwise occupied for the day. So really what other option did he have?

    It wasn't an easy thing for him at all, to admit he needed help when for so long he'd been pulling and doing everything on his own with the girls. But he realized that he couldn't always take them with him to meetings or rehearsals really. They were a distraction, albeit a cute distraction, but nonetheless they never got any real work done when they were around. Always too occupied with something they did or said or wanting to just hang out and play with them like they were kids again themselves. Sometimes he almost wished Kevin were still in the band for that very reason. He at least would be there to snap everyone out of it and make them focus on the work as much as possible while they needed to.

    As much as he knew he really didn't have any other alternative it still didn't make him feel any more comfortable with the idea of forcing his daughters on her. Even though she had said yes and seemingly was more than willing to get the chance to spend some time with two of the most important girls in his life it still shocked him that she was. He wanted more than anything to just ease into this whole thing with her, and gradually get her around the girls but really he knew now more than ever that wasn't going to be possible.

First and foremost she was only going to be there for another 3 weeks or so. How were things going to work out for them when she was leaving so soon? True he would take three weeks with her over being completely alone and dealing with horrendous blind dates. But what could they expect to achieve? He supposed that they might get close enough to try for a long distance relationship but really how long was that going to last? He'd had many long distance relationships, being on the road all the time sort of forced him into that situation. But really he knew they never worked out. The only one who ever really handled the traveling and the separation was Anna, and that was when they were first in their relationship. As soon as they had gotten married and especially after Jo was born they were inseparable. She went where he went simple as that. Of course she'd given up on so much to be his wife. Her college education was put on hold; her future really had changed from the fast track to success to a stay-at-home mother within just the few years since they had started dating.

    He heard the doorbell ring and went over to the door opening it seeing her standing there, bright smile, a pair of well worn jeans and a Ramones tee-shirt her hands full with the leads leading to Romeo and Jada, and a couple of bags that looked like she'd stopped at Blockbuster and the grocery store on the way over. "Hi..." He said with a grin letting her in. "You didn't have to bring the dogs you know..." He added chuckling a little.

    She shrugged, "Well I'm assuming since Angel probably watches the girls, that they like the dogs, and I felt bad leaving them all alone at home so I brought them so the girls could have playmates aside from me. I'm kind of a boring adult so dogs are always good entertainment for kids." She replied rambling slightly. "And I'm totally rambling aren't I?" She added matter of factly blushing at her own ramble.

    "No problem I'm glad you came prepared, they can be quite a handful sometimes. They're definitely a tag team." He retorted chuckling along with her. "What do you have in the bag?" He asked peering over to her.

     She sighed unhooking the dogs leashes letting them run through the house. "Well I rented some movies that I loved as a kid and no child should ever not see them. And I brought over stuff to do, like coloring books, some ingredients to bake cookies and such. I wanted to have everything available so they won't get bored at all. I was thinking also to take them and the dogs to the park or the beach or something, let them play and have some fun outdoors." She responded with a grin.

     He watched her eyes light up as she explained everything and smiled at her. Suddenly he was really rather glad he'd had the chance to count on her like this. Her upbeat attitude about watching two young girls for a few hours had definitely impressed him that was for sure. She really honestly and truly was the most interesting girl he'd ever met. Not many women he had slept with 3 times and spent the night with twice would have even been so kind and generous as to acquiesce to his extraordinary request. "What movies did you get?"

     "The Never Ending Story, the original might I add, The Last Starfighter, and I didn't know if you had it or not but I got The Goonies too. I grew up on these movies and I figure they would like them too. If anything it'll be something to put on while they color or play with their toys as background noise."

      "Wow, yeah we have The Goonies, I grew up on it too. They actually haven't seen it yet I haven't had much time to watch too many movies with them over the years, and Livie is just finally getting into the stage where she'll actually sit through a whole movie without getting restless." He replied thinking it was great she wanted to share some of the movies she loved as a kid with his children. It was definitely showing that she cared about them and wanted to bond with them and that right there made him happy about leaving her in charge of them while he took care of his meeting and rehearsals.

       Marie smiled at him and heard two sets of footsteps bound down the stairs at hearing the dogs barking. She saw Jo and Livie run over to their father and smile at her. "Marie! Daddy you didn't tell us she was gonna watch us!" Jo exclaimed smiling at her.

       Marie smiled even brighter at them and knelt down to their level. "Well ladies, I have lots of goodies for us, how would you like to bake some cookies to have after we make lunch?" She asked making the girls look at her their eyes wide with excitement.

       "Yay! You can teach us?" Livie asked making Marie nod in agreement. She thought the question was very adorable. Of course she knew that Nick didn't exactly have the know how to teach the girls the basics of baking. Thus she was completely delighted to be able to share her knowledge with the girls. It was how she had learned really. Her grandmother and mother had taught her in the kitchen as a small child getting her to do small baking projects to start and eventually while she was in high school she took over the duties of all the cooking in the house.

       "Of course! I get to bake cookies and cakes for a living back home in New York so I would love to teach you how." Marie replied happily glancing up at Nick. "You better get going or you'll be late for your meeting." She stated making him nod as she stood. He knelt hugging the girls, telling them to behave and to have fun. The statement alone made Marie inwardly snicker at the slight contradiction. Having fun as a very young child usually meant getting into some kind of trouble. Nick stood and went to the door, stopping to thank her once again. She shrugged and replied, "Just remember our deal..."

     "No problem here are the keys to my truck, it has their booster seats already hooked up. If you decide to go anywhere you'll need those." He said handing her a key to his truck. She smiled and watched him walk out and then turned to the girls.

      "Okay ladies, what would you like to do first? Bake and then do some coloring or play with your toys and the dogs? Or do you wanna skip it and pack up a picnic and head to the beach?" She asked giving them probably too many options to deal with.

      "The beach!" The girls said in unison making her smile.

      "I can show you how to make a sand castle like Daddy taught me!" Livie said proudly and Jo grinned at her petting Jada who was standing next to her.

    "Can we bring Romeo and Jada?" Jo asked getting a quizzical look on her face.

    "Of course!" Marie replied as she walked them into the kitchen. "First let's make a cooler full of food for lunch and then we'll get a beach bag together with everything. How does that sound?" She asked and the two girls grinned at her. She smiled at them and felt instantly relaxed around them. Her earlier nervousness about getting along with them without Nick was definitely gone.

---

    Nick sighed as he listened to management drone on and on about tour dates. He knew this was definitely a run of the mill meeting where they negotiated dates, time off for vacations, sight seeing and such. He hoped most definitely for plenty of that. Getting to see the world from a very young age had molded him and shaped him in such a way that he wanted to expose the girls to the wonders of different cultures and history around the world.

    It was something he knew Anna would have wanted to do for them if she were still alive. When they'd been on tour together the last time they'd spent all their downtime going sight seeing, even though the girls were much too young to remember anything of note. It still gave them wonderful memories of his daughters, and of Anna.

    It was so odd to think of Anna now in such a past tense. He didn't feel the stab in his heart any longer when her face popped into his head. He no longer wished to see her standing in their home, cooking dinner, playing with the girls, or anything of the above. It shocked him how since he'd met Marie that his life had completely changed. He no longer longed for the woman who was his wife.

    He longed for her. Marie.

    To see her face in the morning when he woke up, though he knew that was an impossibility still he ardently wished. Or the fact that she made him smile just thinking of something she said, or just how her nose would wrinkle at the bridge when she giggled too hard at a joke.

He sighed and glanced at the clock and suddenly all eyes were upon him. "What?" He asked automatically thinking he'd missed a question.

"Are we keeping you from something more important?" One of the suits asked him. He sighed again this time with exasperation. Yeah, they were keeping him from something, from being with his daughters, from the talk he needed to have with Marie. And even more so, from kissing Marie, holding her hand in his, the feel of her skin and inhaling her scent. A scent that underneath the vanilla orchid and cherry blossom lotion smelled of warm cake batter. He'd learned that it wasn't a perfume that made her smell that way. It was just how she smelled naturally and the thought of that intoxicated him.

"No." He replied curtly. "Sorry, please continue." He said as if it was his permission that kept the meeting from going on. He tried to focus on the numbers, venues and dates but nothing would let up. His thoughts kept drifting back to Marie. The soft patches of skin from her arms that her clothing couldn't cover, the way jeans clung to her hips. How those hips felt meeting his time and time again with no barrier between them, and the sounds that fell from her mouth with each thrust. He blinked furiously trying to rid the last image from his mind. It made no sense to get aroused at a meeting for crying out loud.

He knew it though, he was hooked. That was something that scared him a bit. Although that bit was smaller than he thought it should be. It'd been so long since his focus had become so acutely aware of someone of the opposite sex, enough to distract him during an important meeting no less.

Before he knew it the suits were gone and the others grinned at him from their seats around the couch. "So...how's Marie?" AJ asked a cheshire grin on his face.

Nick sighed, "She's amazing. I wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for her."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because first of all, baby sitter cancelled. I called all of your women and they were all busy. Aaron's out of town and all my friends are working or out of town. So..."

"Marie's watching them? Had she met them before now?"

"Yeah. She uh tried to be romantic and surprise me with dinner on Christmas Eve. And the girls were there."

The others raised their eyebrows in shock. How he had not mentioned this little fact before? That was pretty major after all, for all the time they were spending together and for her to find out that he's not only a widower but a father of two like that made them all a little suspicious as to her reaction.

"She was a little freaked at first. But uh she seems okay with it right now. We haven't really discussed it but the girls adore her. She was an instant hit, I've never seen anyone take a liking to them so fast." He said as they all stood. He was still amazed that they had hit it off so well. Maybe she was someone good for the girls if she was able to be so kind to them.

"Are you going to talk about it with her?" Brian asked suddenly his voice filled with incredulous concern.

He sighed and looked at his friends. "Yeah after rehearsal actually, tonight, I promised I'd sit down with her and we'd talk all this out."

"She wants to talk about it then I'm assuming?" Brian continued his hope rising.

"Yeah, she only agreed to it so we could talk. I mean that's gotta be a good sign right? She's willing to spend time with my daughters without me around?"

AJ smiled and nodded, "I think it is. I'm happy for you. I hope this works out because seriously dude. It's about fucking time."

Nick chuckled to the truth in AJ's words. "Yeah don't I know it." He replied with a grin.

---

    "Okay Jo, now can you hand me that shovel by your knee please?" Marie asked and Jo handed it to her as the three of them worked on the sand castle together.

Romeo and Jada seemed pleased to sit on their blanket watching the surf and often napping in the bright California sun.

"Thank you sweets" She said as she took the shovel from her using it to smooth out one side of the castle wall. Livie giggled as she helped pack the sand into the pales and Jo helped with the smoothing out of the design. "Okay now girlies come on over I think we're just about done!" She remarked and the girls came over to her. She moved back slightly writing the girls' names in the wet sand in front of the castle alone with hers. "All right now take your right hand and press it next to your name like I'm doing with mine and we'll take a picture!" Marie exclaimed as the three of them did so.

She grinned and wiped off her hand getting her camera from her beach bag and taking a picture of the small but impressive sand castle the three of them had built together. "Amazing job girls you should be proud!" She said marveling at the work they did together.

    "Thank you." Jo said quietly blushing at the compliment. Marie wrapped her arm around Jo's shoulders and gave a soft squeeze of reassurance. "Do you think Daddy will like it?" She asked referring to the picture of the sandcastle.
    
"I think he will love it. After all you made him a castle!" Marie replied flailing her arms triumphantly.

    Both girls giggled hard when the surf came up and hit the castle. Marie grinned at them and watched them run around the surf. She let them play for a while chasing after them all three of them getting well soaked in the cold water. She soon carted them off to the house getting them cleaned off and changed into warm clothing. They busied themselves afterwards making a few batches of cookies and were now sprawled out on the floor with a movie playing in the background.

    She watched them playing along with their games of pretend and smiled having had one of the best days in her life. It amazed her that these two little girls were products of Nick. He had to be a really good father for them to be so good all around. True they did have some rebellion in them but for the most part they were exceptionally well-behaved little girls. She wondered how he did it, how he was able to be their sole provider and be the fun dad, on top of the disciplinarian.

    Her reverie was interrupted by the sound of tires on concrete and then the soft stop of a car in the driveway. The girls looked up seeing the headlights flash through the windows of the front door and shrieked happily running over to stand in the archway that separated the living room from the foyer. Marie stood and waited, watching the two little bundles of nervous excitement wait until their father cracked open the door, both of them lunging to it across the foyer squealing in delight. Their peals of laughter made her grin widely as she could barely make out the sound of Nick's voice over the loud clamor of two little girls talking over each other spilling all the details of their day.

    He made the way into the living room having to pick up both girls, one on each arm so they could simultaneously regale them with their eventful day and hug him, welcoming him home. He looked up and saw Marie standing there clothing changed from what she'd worn earlier in the day, a bright fevered light in her face he'd never seen before and a wide smile of amusement on her lips. The sight of her in his living room, looking happy, comfortable even when he came home from the tedium of a long day of meetings and rehearsals made a thrill race through his system.

    "Hi." He said as he set the girls down not being able to take his eyes away from her.

    "Hi." She replied with her grin still intact.

    "Daddy we made cookies!" Livie exclaimed and Nick crouched down to their level.

    "You did huh? And how much cookie dough made it into the oven?" He asked giving them both a knowing look.

    "Most of it actually." Marie replied as he looked up for a moment.

    "Hmm that's a first, usually when we cook together more of the food ends up in their stomachs than the plate before it hits the table." He remarked and Marie chuckled. They sat and listened to the girls chatter a bit until Nick got a good glance at the clock. "Okay you two monsters, I think it's time you two got some beauty sleep."

    "Aww but Daddy we're already beautiful!" Livie countered and Marie had to bite the inside of her cheek to keep from chuckling at the child's quick wit.

    Nick laughed and pulled her to sit on his lap. "That you two are, but if you want to stay beautiful, that means getting sleep." He shot back and Livie let out a huge sigh. "So dramatic, come on I'll even carry you up the stairs if you want."

    "YEAH!" Both girls exclaimed and he scooped them both up.

    "The littlest things excite these two. Lucky they got me as a parent, it's easy to entertain them." He remarked as he turned to Marie. "Come on up, I'm sure the girls want to show you their fort."

    "They have a fort?"

    "Sort of, it's made out of cardboard but it amuses them."

    Marie grinned and stood as well following the three of them up the stairs. Nick set the girls down on the carpeting and made sure they brushed their teeth before helping them into their rooms. He tucked them in and bid each girl goodnight leaving their respective nightlights on before leaving. Marie followed him down stairs and into the kitchen watching him from her perch at the island countertop.

    "Thank you, for today I mean. You swooped in and were superwoman with those two. I've never seen them so happy. At least not in a very long time." He remarked his voice clearly showing the sincerity of his gratitude.

    There was a long pause between them, both of them mulling over the topic they both so desperately wanted to discuss but simultaneously feared to go down for similar reasons. "I am sorry." He began his brow furrowing. "I should have told you about them before we were ever..."

    "Yeah, you should have." Marie replied interrupting and gathering her thoughts as she went along. "But, I guess I just don't see why you didn't tell me about them. I mean you wanted us to get to know each other, and they're such a huge part of you. I mean how can I know you when I can only see this little piece of you? You're like an iceberg; only showing me minute sections of yourself at a time while there is so much beneath the surface that is even more important." She continued and Nick's face turned stern almost brooding with guilt over his omission.

    "I know, and I'm really sorry, I am. I know it doesn't excuse my actions but I wanted to tell you, I struggled over it day and night. I was scared, and stupid about it."

    "I wouldn't go so far as to say stupid, don't berate yourself. I understand why you did it, that kind of fear can be disabling."

    He sighed and rifled his fingers through his hair. "But it still doesn't excuse what I did. I mean we were-."

"Yeah." Marie replied her cheeks flushing a little and averting her gaze from his eyes.

"I lied about a very important part of my life."

    "You didn't lie, you just didn't tell me. It's not like you were like ‘hey I'm a swinging single with nothing to tie me down'." She couldn't believe that she was actually defending him. But in a way she felt like he was being too hard on himself. She had really already forgiven him for keeping the secrets he did.

    He sighed again and gave her a longing look, "Omission is lying, Marie. It's inexcusable and no matter how scared I was of you flipping out and never talking to me again I should have just taken the risk, trusted that you were mature enough to handle that I'm a father. But I let my fear take control. I haven't felt this way about someone in a long time. I don't even think I've really ever felt this drawn to a woman before. And I just didn't want it to end. So I withheld and I shouldn't have."

    Marie wanted to disagree with him, to stop him from being so hard on himself no matter how sharp of an edge of truth his words held. He should have told her. But at the same time she realized that he needed her to agree with him to some extent, and then extend her words of forgiveness. "I do agree with you. I won't lie, I was kind of hurt that you hadn't trusted me enough to tell me about them. They're sensational. Really. However I don't think beating yourself up continuously over this is going to solve anything or let either of us move past it."

    Nick's eyes widened in shock. This was positively the most mature conversation about a relationship mistake he'd ever had. Weren't most women supposed to scream, shout, and make him grovel for forgiveness? Even his fights with Anna had never been this mature. In fact their fights tended to be knock-down, drag-out world war three type affairs. "You're seriously not going to yell at me? You're just going to try to move past it?"

    Marie took a breath and smirked. "I'm not saying I'm not still hurt that you didn't tell me. I am. But at least now I understand it. I like you, a lot and it would be wrong of me to make this into a total deal breaker. So I'm not happy about it but I do forgive you. I just wanted to understand what was going through your mind about the entire situation. And I learned that you at least liked me enough to be scared that I may not want to be involved with you if I knew the truth."

    He grinned a little and shook his head. He couldn't believe her maturity in the situation. How had he been lucky enough to find someone like her? "Okay. Wow. Uh that was much less painful than I thought it was going to be."

    "Yelling has really never been my style. And, what do you not have mature conversations with the opposite sex?"

    He chuckled and sighed, "Even with Anna, all my relationships too, when I would make a mistake it was pretty much a lot of groveling and sometimes presents to get me back out of the doghouse."

    Marie grinned and stepped toward him placing a hand over his gently. "Well I am just not that type of woman."

    "I think that's blatantly obvious." He mused lacing their fingers for a moment. "You're amazing."

    She chuckled and shrugged, "I don't know about that but I guess I've just been taught to see both sides of every situation and then act. I mean when I was younger, sure I did a lot of rash stuff and messed up relationships, was clingy and naïve. But I grew up. I learned from my young mistakes and I think you have too. I mean you were mature enough to get married right?"

    He gave her a look and shrugged his hands away for a moment wringing them nervously. He leaned down onto the counter on his elbows and looked at her. "I married Anna, because she was pregnant with Jo. It wasn't that I didn't care about her, I did, immensely. But I wasn't a good husband, not until I laid my eyes on that little girl. It took me nine months of being a complete dick of a husband to finally be like holy shit this is for real. I'm a dad, and I better man the fuck up because I have two amazing women depending on me to be everything for them."

    "How old were you when she got pregnant?"

    "Almost 22. And I was a hard partier. Like alcohol, recreational drugs. I was the epitome of sex, drugs and rock and roll. I drug her down with me. When she got pregnant I thought she was joking. But I realized she wasn't and I did the only responsible thing I could think of. I proposed."

    Marie's expression softened, "Do you ever regret it?"

    "I regret being a jackass to her in the beginning. I was young and I hurt her and made her give up her dreams. It took until after Livie was walking for her to get back to school. She'd been in college and had to give it up when we got married because of Jo and well she pretty much had two kids at that time. Jo was the mature one out of the two of us." Nick explained chuckling a bit.

    "Tell me about her." Marie asked softly. "I mean, what attracted you to her?"

    "She was well, Anna. I mean she was good looking and intelligent. But like more book smart than street smart. She was really naïve. I was her first and everything. She was in college, a creative writing major. She had aspirations to become the next big novelist." He replied and Marie cocked her head to the side.

    She was intrigued really, to hear that he had become involved and later married (although under tense circumstances) someone who was not only beautiful but also had a brain. She figured that it wasn't the norm for many in the music industry. That you either married someone in the business or someone just to keep your bed warm while you were away touring the world. "Wow. I mean it's just I guess I thought your type would be different."

    He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, "Let me guess, busty bottle blonde with a double digit IQ?"

    "Something like that." She replied and instantly chuckled at the very ludicrous nature to her claim. Apparently his type was much more like her, smart, bookish type of woman who had a passion for the creative.

    "I mean life with her wasn't perfect. We fought constantly. Avoided it in front of the girls but Jesus could she hold a grudge. She had this absolute refusal to learn how to use a remote. She would just randomly punch buttons until the television would be snarled into a horrendous snowy mess that would take me four hours to figure it all out. She pissed me off so much sometimes but when we were good, it was amazing."

    Marie stood there taking it all in. It seemed like the relationship they'd had was much more of an opposites attract. "What made you fall in love with her?"

    "How devoted of a mom she was. I mean when I married her I cared about her, wanted to be with her, but did I love her? No. I didn't love her like I should have until after Jo came."

    "So you married out of responsibility and not love."

    "Love came later. I was really ecstatic when she got pregnant with Liv. I really fell more in love with her when she was pregnant the second time. I had already had love for her but it just made it so much deeper and real for me to see her glowing, carrying my child. My second child. We still fought a lot we did almost all the way up until she died. But things were so good. We were happy and then it all got taken away from us."

    "Do you still love her?"

    "A small part of me always will love her, and be grateful to her for the girls."

    "But,"
   
    "But, as much as I miss the good times, I think I'm finally moving on. I want someone who just captures my attention from the get go, the type of woman who is infectious to be around. And you -," He paused looking her over and smiling at how just how casually she was leaning on his counter top and how touchable her skin looked in the lights of the kitchen.  He pushed away from the counter and moved to stand in front of her and brought her in close and very gently and hesitantly kissed her. The kiss was short, gentle and infinitely sweet. He broke away and looked at her searching her brown eyes hoping to see that she'd understand that she was making him feel again. "You make me feel something. I feel alive again. And I didn't think I'd ever be able to feel like this about someone and I don't want to let it go."

    After what seemed liked an eternity Marie finally found her voice and spoke very softly, "I don't want to let it go either." It was very true to them both now, everything was solidifying their interests in each other.

    "You get that I'm a package deal? Three for the price of one?" He questioned trying to give her a way out just in case she wasn't ready to handle dating a single father.

    "I'm thinking I kind of really like that. A lot." She smirked back at him.

---

    It was much later when Nick stirred in his sleep. He sighed seeing the red digital numbers reading that it was just half past four o'clock in the morning. He almost groaned knowing that he'd just gotten to bed two hours before hand. Instead, he tightened his arms around Marie's shoulders as he smiled listening to the slow and steady movement of her lungs as she slept rather comfortably nestled in his arms, in his bed.

    After the initial conversation about his omission and his past with Anna they got to talking. Conversing so easily over every topic imaginable. He couldn't believe her maturity and such sure acceptance of his life, his past, his daughters. It was astounding to think that he had stumbled upon such a person when he wasn't even really looking. The conversation they had for the previous few hours were shared equally between each other, educating them on a much deeper level than any discussion they'd had before.

    When he'd realized how late it was he found it wasn't very difficult to persuade her to spend the night. Of course she'd joked that he just wanted to get her into bed with him again but he assured her it was merely just to sleep. They'd settled in quietly after he'd loaned her a shirt and boxers to wear to bed. He'd eagerly wrapped his arms protectively around her as they both continued to talk until they lost consciousness. He smiled into the darkness of the room finally feeling like the hole that had been punched into his chest two years before had finally disappeared almost all together leaving just a faint scar of reminder.

    His eyes looked around the room as he felt sleep evading him still, his eyes locked onto the painting Anna had given him for their first year of marriage. It hit him then that the fact that this was the first time any other woman had ever been in his bedroom, the room he shared with Anna, didn't weird him out. A twinge of guilt swept over him at the realization that he was so okay with having a different woman in the room, in the bed, that he once shared with his wife.

    Marie stirred slightly and shifted around in his embrace. Her arms wrapped around him and her face buried itself into his chest letting out a soft sigh of contentment as she found her comfortable position. He grinned and let his hands roam on her back lightly and let out the breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. He kissed her forehead taking one last look at the painting and ever so quietly whispered, "Goodbye Anna."
 
End Notes:
Thank you for reading!
Chapter 17: Handle With Care by Teri
Author's Notes:
So wow...it's been um a while. I've been so busy with work and writing on other things. But I got a fit of inspiration on this one and I hope you all like it. Some more dramz on the way! I think you'll totally giggle at the next chapter's title when I get around to posting it (got to write it first though LOL). Thanks so much for staying tuned and continuing to read despite my abhorrent lack of updates!
Chapter Seventeen: Handle With Care

Precious And Fragile Things, Need Special Handling - Precious by Depeche Mode

Nick stepped out of the shower that morning shocked to see the bed empty, which was the opposite of how he had left it. Everything from the day before had changed, all uncertainty had left him thanks to the conversation they'd had the night before. He heard the sound of giggling emanate up the stairs and the smell of pancake batter and bacon fat hung heavy in the air. He dressed quickly and came down the stairs and smiled as he entered the kitchen seeing both girls sitting near the counter and Marie flipping pancakes in a frying pan as well as sizzling bacon.

"Wow, you three have been busy this morning." He remarked making all three of them look up and their faces though different in age, shape and softness all lit up into three breathtaking smiles.

"Daddy!" Jo sang as she hopped down and ran over to him tugging his hand forward to bring him fully into the kitchen. "Marie knows how to make pancakes!"

"I see that." He replied smiling at her. "Mornin'."

"Morning." She said with a content sigh. "I got up while you were in the shower, figured the three of you would like some of my famous chocolate chip pancakes." She mused and began dishing up four plates. Nick smiled and sighed a little just marveling at how easily that Marie was falling into their lives. He fought the urge to make his way around the counter and pull her lips to his. He knew that in front of his daughters, at least until they were ready to accept Marie as a possibility, that kissing her in front of them was not a wise choice.

So, instead of giving into his desire to kiss her senseless, Nick helped the girls carry plates over to the table and smiled as everyone settled in, both girls sitting next to each other in the breakfast nook and Nick and Marie sitting across from each other. They ate in relative silence only listening to the morning chatter of the two little girls.

"Marie did you show Daddy our castle?" Livie asked suddenly and Marie grinned.

"I thought you two wanted to show him our pictures. I'll go get them though if you want to show him now?" She asked as both girls lit up nodding their heads vigorously in agreement. "Okay then, if you'll excuse me I will be right back."

"You're excused." Livie half shrieked giggling. Nick laughed a little and gave her an admonishing look. "Daddy we had so much fun with Marie yesterday."

He sighed and grinned genuinely at her. "Well I am happy you had fun."

"Daddy, did you and Marie have a sleep over?" Jo asked with an expectant look.

"We stayed up late talking." Marie said as she walked back into the room holding a small stack of photos she printed out the day before with the girls. "We took these at the beach, I was going to put them in an album for you but I think Livie got a little to anxious about giving you a present."

Nick took the stack and began flipping through them seeing candid shots of his daughters, of the dogs, and then a few of Marie. "Who took these?" He asked wondering who took the pictures of her.

"Me!" Jo exclaimed rather proud of herself for taking the pictures. "Marie showed me how to use it and I went a little crazy."

He smiled, "I love them, thank you." He said as he ran through the photos smiling at the castle they'd made. "This is awesome. Thanks, the three of you."

"Welcome." All three girls chimed and he grinned just as the house phone began to ring.

Livie jumped up and answered it giggling a little as she walked over and handed her father the phone. "It's Uncle Alex, he says he wants to talk to you."

Marie watched as Nick took the phone and chatted amiably for a few minutes. "So girls how do you like my pancakes?" She asked keeping them occupied while Nick finished up his conversation.

Jo grinned widely, "I love them!" She exclaimed and Marie smiled warmly at her. "Daddy never lets us have chocolate for breakfast."

    "Well I reserve these pancakes for special occasions."

    "Wot's da okay-shun?" Livie asked with her mouth completely full of pancakes. Marie explained to her that it was because that she was making breakfast for them that she deemed it a special occasion.

    "Liv, don't talk with your mouth full. It's rude." Nick semi-scolded as he set the phone down on the table. "So, that was AJ." He added making Marie's eyebrows shoot up in curious surprise. "He invited me and the lil rascals over here to a barbecue this evening. You want to go with?" He asked with a curious glance back at her.

    "Uh, sure I mean yeah. Is it okay if I go back to the condo first to change and such?" She asked and Nick nodded grinning at her. She sighed and took a look at the three of them as they finished their respective breakfasts.

---

    Nick smiled as Marie waved before entering the lobby of Angel's condo complex. He smiled as the girls waved as well from their booster seats. He pulled out of the complex and headed back home. The day was hopefully going to pass quickly for him. It was shocking that he wanted nothing more than to be back in her presence. He was completely taken with how wonderfully she had adapted to being around his daughters. The transition from not knowing to being fully in the know and an active participant in his complicated life was bumpy at first but now it seemed to be looking up.

    He wondered that maybe he was getting his hopes up too soon. He couldn't help it though. The mere thought of his own life turning around, to be around someone like Marie who held such an air of happiness and sophistication yet so down to earth and humble made him ecstatic to see this thing through.

    "So did you two have fun yesterday?" He asked as he pulled them out of their car seats and helped them back into the house.

    "Yeah!" Livie sang and Jo grinned shyly. He smiled at them both and followed them into the house watching them get their toys out and settled onto the floor with them for a few hours of make believe.

---

    Back at the condo Marie sunk into the comfy confines of the large bed and sighed loudly. The dogs were reacquainting themselves with their neglected toys. She stared up at the ceiling, aimlessly for what felt like forever. So much had changed in the past twenty-four hours. She had not only begun two very important friendships with Jo and Livie, friendships she'd hope would endure no matter what happened with their father. But even still her standing with Nick went from confused mess of complicated feelings and unspoken thoughts to the beginnings of a relationship, a possibly long term relationship if she really let herself get to thinking about it.

    She could see herself in the lives of those two little girls. At birthdays and Christmases, it shocked her to think that she could visualize herself, at Nick's side, being supportive to all three of them as they grow. It was almost like gravity moved, the world wasn't holding her here anymore, it was those two little girls, and their wonderful father who held her here now. It was a sensation she was not familiar with. It had so many facets and definitions but she knew that one thing was fast becoming certain. She couldn't stay away from them, not even if she wanted to.

    Her phone began to buzz in her pocket and she sighed answering it with a lazy voice. "Sorry did I wake you?" Becca asked earnestly into the phone.

    Marie sighed and replied, "No I just had the most incredible day yesterday."

    "Oh really? Do tell, nothing is going on here at the shop we just finished the morning rush."

    "Yeah, I babysat for Nick. He had a meeting and Becca those girls are amazing so smart and fun to be around. I mean seriously he's an amazing father just because of how astonishing those two girls are."

    "You babysat for him? That's a little soon."

    "Yeah he was really upset that he had no one else than to ask me thinking it was too much but honestly I'm really glad he did ask me. I got to know them and him. And then the talk we had afterwards and he held me as we slept. It was just so amazing."

    "Wow, you're a smitten kitten aren't you?"

    "Is it that obvious? I mean one day of hanging out with them and I want to be around them all the time. They're sweet and silly and fantastic. I don't know how he does it but he's raising two of the coolest little girls ever."

    "Already applying for the step-mom position...wow. The sex must be really fucking fantastic."

    "Ugh, it's not all about sex, and for your information I am not applying for the step-mom position. I would never, ever want to replace their mom even though she passed away. I just want to be in their life, as a positive influence."

    "Yes and as this positive influence where does the fact that you're leaving in a few weeks factor in?"

    At that comment Marie stopped cold. It hadn't even occurred to her that she would be leaving in just a few short weeks. The euphoric high of having such a blissful day the day before had made all thought of her life back in New York feel like it didn't even exist anymore. Reality, though, had its funny way of crashing back into your consciousness when you least expected it. "Crap." She muttered and scowled when she heard Becca's answering laughter.

    "Relax Mar. I mean you like the guy obviously, and the girls although I'm sure are adorable are a bit of an issue. I mean what if they get attached to you and you just up and leave? What do you think that will do to them? That the people they love will just leave them? Talk about abandonment issues."

    "I know." She replied and sighed closing her eyes. "I think that's why I want to protect them, to shield them from the relationship Nick and I have brewing here, until we're sure this is a serious thing and not just amazing chemistry. I mean I like him a lot, so much I could see myself falling for him. But you're right, I have a life back in New York and he's got roots here. So I think keeping this from the girls, would be the best thing. Don't you?"

    "Of course, protecting them has got to be a big concern for him too. I mean you're the first woman he's had sex with since his wife died right?"

    "Yes."

    "Well, take it slow, follow your heart of course but do so carefully. He is damaged emotionally, from losing his wife, so I think you need to take things very slowly with him so that when you do have to make it back here that it won't completely devastate him either. You have three hearts you have the potential of totally breaking and none of them are in your chest."

    "I know, I get that. I like him, I like them."

    "I know, but do you think he's ready for a relationship? Yeah it's been a while since he's had one but do you really want to be the one compared to the mother of those two little girls? I just don't want you to get hurt Mar. You have such a big heart and sometimes you let people in who you shouldn't."

    "He told me about her. Like he actually opened up and told me about their relationship and he wasn't lying, I think I should know when a man lies by now."

    "Well you know from experience that some are exceptionally good at it."

    "He's not like that. I don't think he is. I mean he has his daughters to think about, why would he play me when he has to look in their faces afterwards?"

    "Why do men do things they do, I'll never know. But you should be careful I don't want what happened with Der-,"

    "Don't go there Bec." Marie interjected. She knew that men shouldn't always be trusted but there was something deeper to Nick. Something genuine about him. True he'd omitted his daughters from her but that was all resolved now. He had only done that to protect himself, to protect his own heart. She felt a twinge in her gut but she ignored it. She wasn't making excuses for him. She refused to let herself think that she was.

---

    "No, Daddy, Ken takes Barbie on a date because they are girlfriends," Livie was very sure this was the way men and women interacted.  Nick had made the mistake of having Barbie drive to Ken's house in her pink Corvette.  "And boys don't drive pink cars, here," she handed her father the purple Jeep, "this is a boy car.  Take Ken out of the house and have him drive away, then come back for Barbie."

"Yes, ma'am," Nick chuckled at his daughter's interpretation of dating, "and sweetie, Barbie is Ken's girlfriend but Ken's a boy, so he is Barbie's friend. Who happens to be a boy."

"So he's Barbie's boyfriend!" Jo proclaimed making Nick grin at her.

"Yep. That sounds about right."

Livie studied her father, "you mean like you are Marie's boyfriend?"

Nick's eyes widened and his eyebrows shot up. He had definitely not been expecting that to just roll off his daughter's tongue. "Well we are friends if that's what you're asking." He said tentatively looking at his two girls warily. He wasn't ready to have this conversation with the girls. What should he say? How much would he tell them? How much should he tell them?

"But is she your girlfriend?" Livie asked drawing out the word girlfriend like it was a song.

"Uh..." He began and blushed slightly. The immaturity of the sound of his daughter's question made him nervous. "Well she is my friend. I like hanging out with her."

"Do you want to kiss her?" Jo asked with a serious look on her face.

"Where are you two getting this from? Has your uncle been filling your head again with his latest love escapades?" He asked quickly diverting the topic.

But as much as he wanted to change the subject the two little girls were rather persistent. "Ooooo Daddy's got a girlfriend!" Livie shrieked. "Daddy and Marie, sittin' in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G!"

At that point his nervousness disintegrated as he busted out laughing at his daughter. "You are nuts lil one." He said then glanced at Jo who was sitting sulking a little bit as she played with her dolls. He sighed and watched as Livie ran to her room to grab another toy for them to play with. "Jo...sweetie are you okay?"

Joanna looked at her father and sighed. "What about Mommy?"

Nick closed his eyes and sighed. "I know you miss your mom baby. I miss her too."

"But don't you love her anymore?" She asked her eyes beginning to mist slightly. He felt a huge stab into his heart at just the look on her face. The same hazel eyes her mother possessed. It killed him to make her think that he was somehow dishonoring her mother by finding someone else.

"Joanna, honey. I will always love your mother for giving me you and Liv. Nothing can ever change that. She was your mom. And Marie is a very nice person who I like to hang out with. Who you like to hang out with too. I think Mommy would want us to enjoy our lives, to the fullest without her here. She wouldn't want us to be sad forever."

"I know, I just don't want another mom." She said quietly.

"I know that. No one could ever replace Mommy okay? But can Marie be your friend? Is that okay?"

Jo looked at her father and nodded. "Yes. I like her, she's pretty and very nice."

Nick wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his chest. "I like her too, kiddo."

---

    Marie ran down the steps to the door giggling loudly as she saw the three of them standing on the other side. "You ready?" Nick asked with a bright smile.

    "Yeah." She replied simply grabbing her small purse and closing the door behind her. "So is this a family affair?" She asked as they headed down to the truck.

    "Kind of, all the guys will be there, and Baylee and Mason will be there for you two to play with," he said turning his attention to the girls. Marie smiled at them as she locked up the condo and followed them out to the truck. A flutter of nervous excitement hit her stomach. This was big. Bigger than meeting his daughters. His bandmates had been his family since long before his children had come along. She smiled anxiously as he held the truck door open for her. "Are you all right?"

    She smiled and nodded. She knew that she shouldn't be worried so much but she knew that she wanted to make a good impression. Don't stress, don't stress. Her mind reasoned with her but it was to no avail. She would be nervous the entire car ride there. She just hoped that her mind was right that there really wasn't anything to stress about.

End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading. Don't be a stranger and leave your thoughts. They're always much appreciated!
Chapter 18: Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition! by Teri
Author's Notes:
So wow, two updates in as many days? WTF?! LOL i know, i know. But this was a relatively easy chapter to get out. I'm still blaming darby for this. LOL damn you! JK i heart you darbs! Anyways the title as promised - hehe - hilarious to me, if you don't get it then you my dear reader must be insane! Go rent the dvds to Monty Python's Flying circus. You'll probably pee yourself laughing (cuz hello the funny!) anyways here's chapter 18! enjoy!
Chapter Eightteen: Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquistion!

    It wasn't long until they pulled infront of a lush house down the way in Malibu. She gulped nervously as they all got out of the truck seeing the various vehicles littering the driveway and the street. Nick joined her on the passenger side as he eyed her and the house the same lingering anxiety on his face. "Hey girls why don't you run around the back way and announce our arrival." He said quickly and quietly to them.

    "Okay!" They both practically yelled and took off like a shot towards the side gate leading to the back yard.

    "Alex always leaves the gate open during a barbecue." He said softly turning to Marie. I studied her face then and with one simple push of his hand pinned her against his truck. "Can I kiss you?" He asked as his lips hovered just above hers. She nodded simply and he claimed her mouth. The kiss wasn't gentle. It was urgent, full of need and anxiety. She parted her lips generously as their tonues parried for control for a few brief moments. He pulled away breathless thanking her for letting him get out his nervousness.

    "No problem, but next time you don't have to ask me." She grinned sheepishly. "I always want you to kiss me."

    He beamed at her admission and kissed her again, gentler this time. The anxiety he felt moments before had completely melted away. When he broke away he pressed his forehead against hers and took a few deep breaths.

    "It's been awhile hasn't it? Bringing someone to meet them?"

    "Yeah."
    
    "Well I've already met Howie and Leigh. I loved them so how hard could it be?"

    "You see the Ford Escape over there?"
   
    "Yes why does that have to do with -,"
   
    "Kevin's here."

    "The one that's not in the band anymore?"

    "Yeah."

    "And that's bad because?"
   
    "Not bad, just he's like a big brother to all of us. He can get kind of protective."

    "Okay, big brother type, I can handle it. Come on, introduce me to your extended family. I'm sure you're more nervous than necessary." She assured him and he glanced to the gate where his daughters had disappeared through.

    "Okay. Just don't take anything they say too seriously. We all tend to joke around a lot and for new people it can kind of feel like an inquisition."

    Marie grinned widely at that point faking a haughty British accent, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

    Nick snicker-snorted. "Yeah okay, I think you'll fit right in."

    "Good. Besides I've done the whole meeting the close friends thing before in a relationship. It's usually more about nerves than anything."

    "Yeah and I'm sure Howie and Leigh are in the process of giving everyone the skinny on you and me."

    "Be nice, they're good friends and are only concerned with your happiness."

    "Yeah, it's been going on since I was 12 so it gets a little tired after a while."

    Marie chuckled as they walked over to the gate. "Brothers can tend to do that from time to time. My sister is just as bad believe me."

    Nick hesitated as they reached the gate. "Can I negotiate an entrance with hand-holding?" His eyes shifted from her down to his feet.

Marie grinned at him not believing the transformation she was seeing. He'd gone from calm confident man when he'd picked her up, to what now looked like a very scared and nervous little boy. So instead of answering his question in words she reached her left hand out and laced her fingers with his right hand.

    He looked up then and grinned a little. "Thank you."

    She squeezed his fingers a little grinning back at him. "Anytime."

    He took a deep breath and lead her to the back yard where he could hear AJ's booming voice as he was telling one of his infamous stories. "Uncle Nick!" He heard from the tree in the yard. He grinned seeing Baylee dropping down from hanging on the lowest branch.

    "Brian's son Baylee." He whispered to Marie who looked up at him and nodded.  "Hey little man. Are you growing again? I swear you're taller every time I see you. Hey B what are you feeding this kid?"

    Marie watched as a shorter lighter haired man, presumably Brian came over. She looked at Baylee and back to his father and grinned. There was no denying who this kid belonged to, a spitting image of his father. Brian grinned and picked up his son, flinging him over his shoulder. "Oh you know, the usual. Mac and cheese laced with miracle grow." He joked as Baylee squealed and squirmed on his father's shoulder. "You must be Marie." He said smiling at her.

    She smiled back just as brightly. "Yes, you obviously must be Brian it's a pleasure to meet you."

    "Likewise, come on and meet the rest of the crew." He replied with a grin. She sighed and watched Nick breathed a sigh of relief as he walked her over to the large picnic table set up. Marie greeted everyone and smiled as she shook everyone's hand.

    "It's nice to see you again Marie." Leigh told her.

    "It's nice to see you too. How are things?"

    "Good, really busy at work. We have all these new deals were trying to manage and such."

    "Oh I bet. One of my partners is trying to get our business to go online so I can imagine in miniscule amount the kind of stress for expanding your business."

    Leighanne's head shot up at that moment. "You own your own business?"

    Nick grinned brightly and answered before Marie could get the words out, "She owns a bakery in Manhattan."

    "Oh you do?" AJ asked completely intrigued now. She was definitely different than any other girl Nick had ever brought around them, even Anna.

    "Yeah Hearth and Home bakery and specialty cakes. It's my baby." She mused, her voice was that of a proud parent. Amused, loving and a little indulgent.

    "You own Hearth and Home?" Kevin asked suddenly making everyone turn their attention to him.

    "Yes, you've been?"

    "Several times, everytime I'm in the city I go there, best damn bagels I've ever had. Honey you remember the place right?"

    Kristin nodded, "Oh yeah, the cream cheese swirl brownie is to die for."

    Marie grinned excitedly at this revelation. "Well I'm glad you like it. I created all the recipes and myself and Becca make all the treats there on a daily basis. The brownie is a personal favorite of mine."

    "Wow a girl that can bake and holds her own in the business world. I have to say I'm impressed." Kristin beamed making Marie blush.

    "Oh please don't be. I am just the Chef and owner. I have a business degree but I know nothing about finance. I would be nothing without my business manager Anthony. We met at business school and the things he can do with numbers, astounds me. It makes my job so much more enjoyable to focus on what I love than the tedium of the day to day number crunching." She replied wrinkling her nose at the last sentence. She hated doing the business end of her business. If it were completely up to her she would have never gotten her bakery off the ground if she had to spend the inordinate amount of hours everyday going over the numbers, trends and fiscal things for her baby.

    "So Marie De Luca from New York, what brings you out to sunny LA?" Leighanne asked her head cocked to the side in curiosity.

    Marie sighed and grinned a little before looking at her hands then back to where the question had been asked. "Well, I needed a vacation. I hadn't had one in so long. Not since college actually. Becca, Anthony and Rhianne are all taking care of the business back home while I spend a holiday for myself. Angel, Nick's sister, had offered me to house sit for her while she's off being paid to be gorgeous and I really couldn't pass up the chance to see the West Coast. I've never been out here before. Hell I've never been West of the Appalachians."


    "Is that how you two met? Through Angel?" Brian asked. He'd heard the story from Nick of course but he wanted to hear Marie's take on it. Obviously there was something different about her. Something that was completely genuine and refreshing to how she handled being the center of attention. She didn't seem to mind it too much with Nick sitting at her side, his hand firmly placed her the middle of her thigh. Their completely innocent yet possessive body language toward each other made him grin a little. It was not something he'd ever seen Nick do. With Anna before her, Nick was always the post she leaned on. This it seemed to be a mutual thing. Content to touch and be touched while in the presence of others without even realizing it.

    "Funny story actually." She began an amused smile threatening to break through. "Apparently Angel had asked Aaron to come over and feed Romeo and Jada while she was away but forgot to inform him that I was staying there."

    "So naturally my lazy ass excuse of a brother pawned off the dog feeding duty to me and I went over there."

    "I was in sweats and a tee-shirt and I hear the door open, freaked out that someone was breaking into Angel's condo. I mean come on I'm from New York, break-ins happen all the time. So I freak and try to remember how to take down an intruder. I ran down the stairs and there he is playing with the dogs. I was so embarrassed."

    "And I look up shocked to see a girl in my sister's place. For a second I thought you were a squatter or something, with the threadbare shirt and holey sweats. It was kind of hilarious looking at it now. Apparently my sister hadn't informed Marie that she also had an older brother."

    "Sounds like a plot for a sitcom." AJ mused chuckling at the story.

    "I know, right? I was like, figures, I look like a total scrub when an available guy shows up on my vacation, nice."

    "I still think my sister freakin' planned it. She's devious like that."

    Marie shrugged, "Knowing Angel, she probably did. She does have a great propensity for manipulation. Should have heard the conversation that got me to come out to LA in the first place. But I'm glad she twisted my arm. It's definitely been a good trip to know someone who actually knows their way around the city. I would have been so lost. Especially here in Malibu. It's so different than New York." She replied beaming at Nick her grinned crookedly back at her.

    "So obviously you've met the girls."

    Marie looked over her shoulder to where the girls were playing rather animatedly with Baylee. She sighed and nodded. "They're amazing. Honestly, two of the best behaved kids I've ever seen. I have a bazillion cousins and a couple of nieces and nephews but they're amazing. I don't know how you do it but those are two awesome little girls."

    Nick grinned at her compliment, "They probably get that from their mother. I was such a trouble maker when I was a kid."

    "Pranks?" Marie asked as everyone watched their conversation.
   
    "Oh yeah, and I hated whenever they got me back for the shit I did to them."

    "Ah so you can dish it out but can't take it huh?" She goaded making him chuckle.

    "Pretty much. I've gotten better about it though."

    "Filthy liar, don't believe a word he says." AJ spat playfully. "He just uses his kids as a human shield now."

    "I do not, jackass."

    "Prick."

    "Jerkwad."

    "Panty waste."

    Marie giggled at the juvenile exchange between the two men. "You are as bad as my sister and I. God we call each other every name in the book. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a call of her cussing me out for not being home for the holidays."

    "Your family is in New York?"

    "Yeah in the same brownstone in Brooklyn since I was a baby. My parents are the quintessential Brooklyn Italians, it's kind of hilarious. My dad reminisces about the good ole days where he could get gum for five cents and didn't have to lock the door."

    "Were they upset you're not spending the holidays with them?"

    "No they weren't too put off by it. I told them I needed a vacation from my life back home and my Mom took care of the rest. She's kind of amazing like that."

    "So speaking of back home, when does your vacation end?" And there was the million dollar question. She felt everyone staring at her expectantly. Even Nick. This was question that she was hoping to avoid. Because inevitably they'd ask her what her intentions were with Nick after she'd depart for her home city. And right now, that was something she didn't know anything about. She was falling in love with him, that she already knew, but what scared her the most was what if they tried to keep a relationship together, and the distance tore them apart?

    She chuckled nervously. "Unfortunately, I go home in about three weeks. I'm not exactly looking forward to going back to wearing a thick wool trench coat, scarf and mittens. I spoke to Becca this morning and she was telling me how cold it was there. For once I'm really glad I'm not home this winter, it seems to be the coldest on record."

    Nick shifted uncomfortably before standing up making the excuse of wanting to get food. "You want anything?"

    "Sure. You don't have to..."

    "Nonsense, I've got two hands, perfectly capable of carrying two plates. You keep talking." He said nonchalantly as he kissed her quickly. He walked over to the round table holding all the food, his back to his friends so he could hide the frown on his face. He didn't want to think about her leaving. Not when she was becoming such a big part of his life. The thought of not waking up next to her made a pain shoot through his chest that he hadn't felt in a long time, and definitely not as intensely as before.

    "You okay?" He heard a voice next to him. He turned seeing Kristin standing there.

    "I'm fine." He lied.

    Kristin rolled her eyes giving him a reproving look. "I know that face. I've known you half your life kiddo. You're not happy that she's here temporarily am I right?"

    "Yeah." He said as he continued to load up the plates.

    Kristin studied him for a moment and grinned rather widely, "You're in love."

    He shot her a glance. "How in the fuck do you do that Kris?"
   
    "First of all, I'm a mom. Second of all, I know that look. I had it when I realized I was in love with Kev."

    "I don't know what to do. I mean I like her a lot, but I'm not sure if I -,"

    "Oh believe me, you're in deep. She's perfect for you. I mean can you even see how she's handling everything? And did you not notice Kevin even gave her the nod." He grinned a little. The nod was something that had been a huge thing back in the day for all of the guys. Whenever one would bring a girl around the others, if Kevin liked her, that usually meant she wasn't one of the gold diggers that they had come across. So they devised a system where each guy would weigh their likes and dislikes of the potential girlfriend and then casually give a nod of approval or disproval.

    Nick was brought out of his reverie when a shriek came from where his daughters were playing. He turned swiftly setting the plates down as he saw his oldest daughter with tears streaming down her face and a very sizeable scrape on her knee. He quickly went over but stopped as he reached the table as he watched Marie hunch down to Jo's level to inspect the scrape.

    "Can you walk on it?" She asked her voice was soft and full of concern. Jo sniffled and nodded a little. Marie's face softened as she scooped up the small girl in her arms and brought her over to the table. "Okay foot up here." She said patting the dark patina wood of the bench. Her face turned to a grin as she inspected the scrape. "Hmm...I think we've got a doozy here. We might have to operate." She said playfully getting Jo to stop crying.

    Brian handed Marie the first aid kit and she thanked him. "It hurts." Jo said as she wiped her face messily with her hand.

    "I know it does sweetie. I've had several scrapes like this when I was your age. Now sweets this is gonna sting a little ‘kay?" She said as she held the antibacterial spray. "So just breathe, ready..." She waited a moment then sprayed on her cut making Jo hiss in pain. Marie leaned in then and lightly blew on the scrape cooling the stinging sensation almost immediately. She worked quickly then putting some pain relieving salve on and a bandaid before patting her calf. "All fixed."

    Jo grinned at her and sniffed a little as her tears faded away. She leaned over and hugged Marie. "Thanks Marie."

    "No problem sweets," She said softly running her fingers through Jo's hair for a moment. "Now have fun but be careful okay?"

    "Okay!" She smiled and ran off to play with Baylee and her sister again.

    Nick stood stunned as he watched the entire exchange. She really was amazing with his kids. He'd seen her play with them before but to do something like taking care of a cut, something that just screamed with maternal instincts. He felt for the first time since they'd met a flutter of butterflies in his stomach. He looked around seeing how everyone had noticed the way Marie interacted with the girls and they all had equally shocked and amused expressions on their faces.

    Howie was the first to comment on her overt display of maternal capacity. "Do you like children, Marie?"

    Marie turned and smiled shyly. "Yeah, I do. I teach a group of inner city kids how to bake twice a week in New York. It's one of the things I love to do."

    "So it's safe to assume you want kids one day?" Leighanne asked catching on to Howie's line of thought.

    Marie blushed, "Of course. I've kind of always wanted to be a mom one day. Go through the whole pregnancy thing. I thought though if I never ended up having kids of my own that I'd adopt by the time I'm 30."

    Nick felt a warmth spread throughout his system as he made his way back over to the table carrying their plates of food. He straddled the bench as he sat down and pulled Marie in close, settling her hips between his knees and leaning her against his chest while his hands moved to hers. He leaned in and kissed her temple before whispering softly. "You. Are. Amazing. Did you know that?"

    She grinned and shrugged before turning her face up to his. "Just doing what you would have done is all."

    He grinned right back at her and tightened his arms around her as he realized the truth behind Kristin's words. He was more than just hooked or smitten over her. Oh no, he was completely and irrevocably in love with Marie and there was no turning back now. The sensation settled over him and he felt calm, for the first time in years he felt like he finally found some semblance of peace, a center to keep him grounded and Marie was that force.

---

    "But Daddy please!!!! We haven't had a sleep over in so long!" Jo wheedled. Nick sighed and looked to Brian and Leighanne who were amused by Jo's pleading. She'd spent the last 30 minutes conniving and groveling to get to spend the night at Brian and Leighanne's.

    "I don't know pumpkin." He said his voice wavering. It wasn't that he didn't want his daughters to have fun at Brian and Leighanne's, he was scared now. The idea of being alone with Marie excited him more than he wanted it to. This new self revelation of love he felt for her meant that if he were alone, he might slip and say it before the relationship was ready to bear the weight of such an admission.

    "Aw come on please!" And now Livie was joining in on the fun.

    Nick sighed and hugged his daughters to him. "Okay."

    "YAY!" They both screamed.

    Marie grinned at the two girls. "Whipped." She muttered and he pinched her side making her squeal. "Jackass." She replied punching his arm playfully.

    He grinned back at her and gave her a short peck on the lips, "You know you love it." He shot at her playfully.

    She simply rolled her eyes in response and proceeded to help him transfer the girls booster seats to Brian and Leighanne's car. "Now are you sure it's okay?"

    Leighanne rolled her eyes, "Yes, the house needs some more estrogen. I'm the only girl at home. I'd love to have them over, we'll probably bake cookies and I'll paint their toes, you know girl stuff. Besides, you look like you deserve a night to be a man and not a father." She replied giving him a sly grin.

    "Leigh...you're mean."

    "So you two haven't done it then?"

    "Not that it's any of your business but yeah, we have." He shot back getting a glimmering smirk in return.

    "Good, it's about time you got laid. Now run along and have fun with her. You deserve this."

    He sighed and shrugged. "Thanks Leigh. I never thought I'd say this but you're a good friend."

    "Ha! So my plan for world domination has succeeded, I got Nick Carter to finally stop being such a hostile jerk to me." She mused and he laughed.

    "Yeah, yeah. You just keep my best friend happy and all that and we're good ‘kay?"

    "So not a problem there, and you go get her, I'm sure she's itchin' for a good roll in the sack."

    Nick snickered at her, "Sure whatever you say." He laughed as he made his way back to the truck where Marie was waiting. He held the door for her before getting in himself.

    "I'm glad you invited me. They're good people."

    "Yeah, they're family." He said quietly.

    "I can tell. They all adore you like a little brother, it's very sweet." She noted happy to have been able to spend the day getting to know people so close to Nick's life. She knew it meant a lot to him, as it meant a lot to her to seemingly get the approval of his closest friends.

    "Thanks." He said rolling his eyes. "So umm, we apparently have the entire night to ourselves...." He trailed off noting the mischievious grin on her face.

    "So what do you suggest we do to while away the hours?" She replied and he felt a shock shoot up his spine.

    "Uh, we could go back to my place and um hang out." He answered feeling immediately and completely transparent.

    "Hmm, sounds like a good idea to me." She responded softly and leaned over the arm rest. "Take me home with you." She whispered in his ear and the air in the car suddenly charged with electricity. He turned his head slightly catching her eyes before leaning on his arm on the center console and laced their fingers. He tried to seem nonchalant about it as possible but even Marie couldn't stifle her giggle when his foot pushed the accelerator to the floor.
 
End Notes:
thanks so much for reading! and for all the reviews! keep em coming!
Chapter 19: Sex On Fire by Teri
Author's Notes:
So this one took me a couple days to get out. I'm going into a 36 hour day between tonight and tomorrow so I won't be around much this weekend. This is a pretty huge chapter as far as plot and such. (Aside from the lemony goodness at the beginning) It sets up the rest of the plot and keeps things moving, anyways, I hope you all enjoy! A huge thanks to Darby and Mel for kicking my butt into gear with this one!

Chapter Nineteen: Sex On Fire

"Soft lips are open. Them knuckles are pale. Feels like you're dying. You're dying. You, Your sex is on fire. And so were the words to transpire." (Sex On Fire - Kings Of Leon)


    As soon as they arrived back at Nick's home the tension between them had grown to a point where they didn't know if they'd make it inside before they carried out their tryst. As it was he'd already pressed her against the wall adjacent to the door unable to keep their contact chaste anymore. His body was pressed completely against hers as she tangled her fingers in his hair tugging ever so gently as he reached his hands inside her sweater gliding over the silk of her sundress.  She shuddered as their kisses grew more fevered by the moment.

    Their hands and bodies moved of their own volition as one of his hands travelled down her leg picking it up and hooking it around his hips as he ground himself into her. In the darkness of his unlit porch it seemed that there was no boundary between them. They moved against each other, completely forgetting that they were still upright and still outside his home. None of that mattered to either of them at the moment. Marie sighed throwing her head back as his lips nipped along her throat.

    At that exact moment the porch light, to which he had on a timer, turned on. Marie glanced around their surroundings though enticing as it sounded to have an encounter in a very nearly public setting, she wanted to get them inside where they could be alone, for once in a long time. No kids. No dogs. No interruptions. Just the two of them, a man and a woman. It was as if the porch light, some how made Marie realize what he was doing. The proverbial lightbulb in her mind that he just might be stalling going inside the house.

    This was going to be the first time they'd had any experience together since she was fully aware and okay with the complexities in his life. She felt him tense up as she moved her hips back against his to see if he was going to take this further outside of his home. He backed away then only fractionally looking at her face. "Are you all right?" She asked not realizing how breathless her voice sounded, or how raspy it felt to speak either.

    He nodded simply in response and pulled her flush against him as he reclaimed her mouth. She sighed into the kiss realizing that he was nervous. His anxiety wasn't unfounded but she felt it was a little unnecessary at this point in their - what could they call it - a relationship? She reached her hand into his jeans pocket fishing out his keys to the house and pushed him back. She knew on some level that this was going to work only if she took charge every once in a while. He smirked as she fumbled with his keys and he attacked her neck making it even harder for her to concentrate on the seemingly innocuous task of unlocking his front door.

    She giggled a little as she opened the door and took his hand in hers leading him into the house. He couldn't believe how easily she was just waltzing into his foyer. It was oddly comforting that she was so at ease when every nerve ending and thought process in him was on edge. He wanted this, wanted her but of course his mind was working on overdrive going over and over every minute detail when he just really wanted it to shut the hell up.

    He let her lead him up the stairs and into his bedroom. He stopped for a moment his legs locking into place as he took in the bed. He couldn't understand why his mind was doing this to him. It wasn't like they'd never done this before. But it was completely different. He could have her heart if he fought hard enough. Her willingness to be around him and everything encompassed his life was proof of that even without the talk they'd shared the day before. However that simple talk had made it all the more real that her heart could be his. He knew already that she had him, hook, line and sinker. But it still didn't stop his knee jerk reaction of hesitation.

    Marie noted this and pushed his jacket off his shoulders tossing it to the floor. "Where are you?" She asked.

    "I'm here." He said finally coming back to the reality at hand.

    She smiled brightly at him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Good." He smiled finally the tension and anxiety falling away. He wondered exactly how she was able to make him feel so carefree without any worry at all. He decided though as she nibbled on his lower lip and trailed her fingers along the sides of his neck that he really just didn't care what magic power she held over him, because it made him feel more alive than anything he'd ever experienced.

    He fell into her kisses with renewed fervor and passion gasping for air as his hands shed her of her sweater whilst they kicked off their shoes. His hands took down her hair from the loose tie it was in letting the mahogany layers fall down around her shoulders. "You're so beautiful." He murmured against her lips.

    She grinned and turned them around slowly backing him up to the bed pushing him onto it. He smirked and lifted his arms over his head, one bending back to pick up the collar of his shirt and pulling up and off of him. She moved to sit on his lower thighs, her hands moving to the snap at his waist undoing the button and zipper with a low purr. He meanwhile moved his hands up the outside of her thighs to her waist gathering the silky material of her dress and tossing it over her shoulder as it landed on his nightstand. "So perfect." He muttered before burying his face in her neck, inhaling her scent.

    In a sudden act of quickness and impatience she reached around to unfasten her bra. He smirked against her neck as he felt the material go slack. He pulled it from her body his eyes unmoving from her face as he gripped her hips and turned them to roll her onto her back settling her on his already downturned bed. She shivered as her overly heated body hit the cool soft sheets. He settled himself on her covering the entirety of her torso with warm open-mouthed kisses. She reached inside of his open jeans stroking her hand against him briefly before pushing his jeans and boxer briefs half way off his hips.

    "Impatient much?"

    "Enough with the torture. I just want you." She replied. He shuddered watching as she shimmied out of her boy shorts joining his jeans and boxers on the floor. He climbed onto the bed as she leaned up kissing him as she backed herself to the middle of the bed both of them hissing as their overheated skin touched with no barriers between.

    When she wrapped her legs around his hips loosely he froze. His eyes studied her face as she lay beneath him. He stared for a long moment not even realizing that he wasn't even inside of her yet. The intimacy of their situation, their intimacy was reaching a point where words weren't even necessary anymore and they'd only known each other less than a month. His mind worked overtime on the impossibilities that their connection seemingly were defying every moment they were together.

    Marie sighed impatiently beneath him realizing he was yet again, thinking too much. She leaned up kissing him slowly, tampering with his coherency. She felt his body relax and as soon he had she pushed her palms to his chest.

"On your back soldier." She muttered making his stoic expression crumble in favor of a wide grin. He sat up then as she straddled his hips and sunk onto him. She closed her eyes leaning back onto her hands that were holding her up. His eyes remained glued to her face as he leaned in wrapping his arms around her lower back as she began to move on him. He focused on her sounds, the light breathy moans that were nearly in time with his own.

    Everything in that moment was indescribable. Her boldness. Her beauty. He couldn't believe how he hadn't seen it before. The love that had been blatantly pointed out to him earlier in the day seeped out of every pore. Suddenly he felt more confident than he had in a very long time. He loved this woman and she trusted him enough to have such intimate glimpses into her soul. He gripped her closer to him and rolled them back over taking control once again. As he did so he took both hands lacing their fingers and brought them up above her head pinning them underneath one hand as he peppered her face with kisses hoping that his actions were showing how much he'd grown to worship her in just this short amount of time.

    She grinned as his lips came to hers again. She knew his hesitation was only temporary and smiled triumphantly at her success of pushing it aside. He gripped her hip with his free hand as he moved his hips a little faster going as hard as he dared loving the sound of her breathless whimpering as their hips collided again and again. They both could feel their releases building quickly inside of each other, twin knots in the pits of their stomachs, heat starting in the soles of their feet coursing through their veins. She rotated her hips crying out as it changed the friction between them.

A low growl rumbled in his chest as he released her hands to caress her face, pushing her thick fringe of sweat soaked bangs out of the way. She looked into his eyes then, locking into a stare while she clutched to his shoulder blades. He marveled as the pink flush colored her pale ivory skin, to him it was one of the most perfect things he'd ever seen. She watched him as well, the look of complete pleasure and awe in his eyes wasn't lost on her it made her feel all the more alive to know that she was the one to put that look there.

They knew it wouldn't be long, both teetering precariously on the precipice. It was moments later when they each felt their peaks, within seconds of each other with resounding gasps of pleasure. They laid still as their bodies slowly came off their highs. He kissed the side of her throat reverently as their breathing decreased from panting to less labored breaths. He finally looked up seeing her slight smirk and closed eyes. He kissed the tip of her nose, her jaw, then her lips before she opened her eyes and placed her hand at his jaw. He leaned his head into her touch closing his eyes before kissing her again.

It was with great reluctance moments later that they finally pulled away from each other. The separation didn't last very long. Soon they found themselves laying against each other, her back nestled flush against his chest as a single thin sheet lay around them shielding their sweaty bodies from the much cooler air in the room. He kissed her shoulder blade gently and she grinned dipping her head to kiss his forearms that were locked around her. "This feels so nice." He said sofly.

"Nice?"

"Yeah, the silence you know?"

"Then why are you disturbing such blessed silence?" She quipped back playfully.

"Funny. I meant the atmosphere you know? I'm not used to it but I like it." He whispered holding her closer. "I'm sorry for the hesitation earlier. There's just so much -,"

"Don't mention it. Honestly I knew doing this here was going to be a big step for you. I had no problem taking control as you can tell."

"I can and I did. Thank you for that. But that didn't even cross my mind. I mean yeah it's a big deal but there were bigger issues on my mind."

Marie paused for a moment wondering exactly what those bigger issues could have been. Behind her Nick smirked feeling her unspoken question permeate the silence between them.

"I guess I should explain that a little better huh?" He asked and Marie sighed nodding, clearly unable to form her voice into a coherent response. "I - I am falling in love with you." He said firmly his voice growing stronger. Marie's eyes widened and she turned in his embrace searching his features. "Yeah. I think I actually am already there and what scares me the most is that I'm not scared at all about how I feel."

Marie stayed silent completely shocked at his revelation. She knew that she was falling for him, and that he might be falling for her. She'd always fought her emotions with her logic though. What good would falling in love do when she would be leaving in just a few short weeks.

"Please say something you're making me nervous with the shocked stare."

"I don't know what to say. I mean I wasn't expecting an ‘I love you' tonight. Or even at all."

"Oh. Umm well if the obvious response doesn't immediately come to you then I guess we can just forget I ever opened my big mouth." He muttered closing his eyes and shaking his head. "Stupid." She heard him mutter just under his breath.

"You're not stupid." She replied.

"I certainly feel like it."

"Its not that I don't feel like I'm falling for you. I think I am. I just didn't want to say anything until I was sure. And then you go and say it first. That's never happened to me before. I've always said it first. But even still you care about me, that's plain to see. I didn't realize it was growing so fast."

"Neither did I. But I can't fight it. I refuse to. How you make me feel is just, it's different and I don't want it to stop." He explained his tone firm and resolute. You could tell he was even telling himself that he wouldn't give up no matter what.

Marie laid there confused. In her experience when a man said he loved you, it was either a response, part of an apology, or an easy way to get into her panties. "You're not just saying this because we've been - physical right?"

"What? No not at all. I think even from the first day this would happen. You don't meet many people you just immediately connect with for no reason right?"

"That's true. But I don't get how you can love me already, I mean two weeks is a very short time." She reasoned, playing devil's advocate. She'd seen with friends in her past that there was no time frame associated with falling in love. Sometimes you fell so fast you didn't know which end was up. Sometimes the love grew out of obligation and respect, and then sometimes it took a long time to build into romantic emotions.

"It is. But I don't know if I can explain it right. It's all consuming though. I can't stop thinking about you when we're apart. I want to know your reactions to things, I love seeing you play with the girls."

"That's another thing. Have you considered what could happen to them if this doesn't work out?" That was one of the things that both of them feared the most. The thought of the emotional fallout of not working it out and what the girls would subsequently go through.

"I know. I don't know what will happen. This is all new to me. I've never had an experience like this and from the looks of it you haven't either." Marie couldn't ask for a more honest answer than that. In truth this was new to both of them. Both flying blindly through this situation unsure of what moves to make next only making the ones that felt right in the moment. If those decisions were right in the big picture, neither of them knew for sure.

"How can you just own your emotions like that? You're a guy, you're supposed to be all clandestine and stoic." She mused thoroughly intrigued with how easily he could declare, rather blatantly his emotions, and own them without shame.

"I don't know. I personally am blaming the fact that I've been on estrogen overload for the past five years. It does thing to a man that smushes the machismo to goo or something."

Marie laughed at that. "I'm not used to it. I'm used to the moody artsy types or the stoic silent business types."

"Is it okay?" His voice was soft, almost hopeful that she would be okay that he could own up to his own emotions and share them easily with her. Sometimes he hated that he was able to be so focused on the emotional as opposed to the rational.

"It's surprising but I like it. A lot more than I probably should. Kind of refreshing to see a guy secure in his emotions."

He chuckled and pulled her in close. "Sorry for the blunt delivery. I know I'm not one with an expertise in tact."

Marie grinned and rolled onto him leaning down and giving him a quick kiss. "I've never met a man who talks more than I do."

"Sorry."

"Don't apologize, but just for now, no talking, no thinking, we have hours of alone time stretched out in front of us, I fully intend on making the most of it." She grinned making him grin back at her as their lips beginning the dance between them once again.

---

    "Ow fuck!" Nick yelped as he tripped over a toy in the hallway that morning. "Fucking war zone I swear to Christ." He muttered trying to rub feeling back into his foot.

    Marie laughed behind him as she pulled her hair into a wet messy bun, "Such language. You kiss your daughters with that mouth?"
    
    He turned then pulling her between him and the wall. "You didn't mind so much in the shower what I did with my mouth."

    She smirked at him and leaned in kissing him. Neither of them didn't want to break the affectionate bubble they'd surrounded themselves in. However that wasn't going to be the case. Leighanne had called not just a few minutes before letting them know that they were on the way to bringing the girls home. He groaned and pressed into her before breaking away.

    "You're going to be the death of me."

    "Same goes for you."

    "Sometimes I wish I wasn't a father."

    "Don't say that. You have two amazing little girls."

    "I know I feel horrible for saying it but sometimes I just wish I had, had more sense not to do the things I did when I was younger." He said honestly.

    Marie chewed on her lip and wrapped her arms around him as they made their way into the kitchen. "I don't think I would regret anything if I were you. You made mistakes, everyone does, you know human condition and all. But they made you who you are today as much of cliché that is. And I happen to be very partial to that person so..."

    "Okay, okay I won't regret the idiocy of my youth anymore."

    "Good." She replied as he pulled her to him and kissed her again. They soon lost themselves into the kiss and were completely oblivious to the sound of his front door opening. Leighanne smirked knowing she was right to have come in first to warn them that they had arrived before the girls caught the two in a compromising position. She watched the two for a moment thoroughly amused at the chemistry she was witnessing for the second time in as many days. She cleared her throat loudly snapping them out of their embrace.

    "Christ Leigh don't you ever use the bell?"

    She laughed, "I figured I'd come in and make sure you two were decent before the girls came in." She replied as the two little girls breezed past her.

    "Daddy!!" They both shrieked attacking their father's legs.

    "Did you miss us?" Livie asked with the most irresistible look on her face. She grinned at her father and he smiled back and picked her up sitting each girl on the counter.

    "Of course I did." He responded hugging the both of them.

    "Marie!" Jo said excitedly noting her presence for the first time.

    "Hi girlies. Did you have fun with Baylee?"

    "Yeah we watched movies and played with toys!" Livie replied and Marie grinned at them.

"Thank you Leighanne it was very kind of you to watch them last night." Marie remarked showing her polite gratitude for the much desired alone time.

"No problem. I love these two monsters. Vegas is going to be so much fun with them."

"Vegas?" Marie asked looking between Nick and Leighanne. Nick hadn't mentioned anything about Vegas before. Why would he need to bring the girls with him to the city of sin?

"Oh he didn't tell you?" Leighanne asked a little shocked that Nick hadn't mentioned anything about the New Years concert in Las Vegas.

Nick shook his head. It wasn't that he hadn't wanted to tell Marie. He'd actually almost completely forgotten about the three-day excursion. The only reason he was even bringing the girls in the first place was so that he could spend a little more time with them by taking them to Cirque du Soleil and a few other kid friendly events that the city had. "Yeah we're playing at Pure for New Years. I didn't know if you'd want to tag along the girls are coming with."

"I've never actually been to Las Vegas before." Marie replied nervously. She knew that if he asked she would definitely go on the trip with them but she didn't know if that was the best idea concerning the girls.

"Well that's settled then, you should come with us! You'll have a blast with us girls, we're going to do the whole pampering thing and shop. These little ones are coming with. Baylee will probably hang at soundcheck with Brian like always."

"I don't know, I mean I wouldn't want to impose..."

"Nonsense." Leighanne interjected waving off Marie's comment. "You wouldn't be imposing at all."

"Leigh if she doesn't want to go she doesn't have to." Nick replied reasoning with his friend. He turned to Marie just then and gave her an imploring look. "Do you want to go?" He asked. He was nervous that she might not want to go. It was a big step, traveling even for a few days with him and his daughters, but also his band as well. He wasn't so sure she was ready for all of that. He'd just gotten to declaring his feelings for her, and to ask her to spend a few days surrounded by his friends, his children with no real escape or time for herself might be asking too much.

Marie mulled it over glancing at the two girls who were listening to the exchange intently. She grinned at them. A few days of hanging out and having fun with three of her new favorite people and getting to know Nick's closest friends sounded like something she'd like to do. "Actually, I'd love to go. If that's all right with you three?"

"Yeah!" Both girls shouted making Marie beam at them.

Nick grinned and wrapped his arm around Marie, "It's definitely all right with me."
 
End Notes:
Once again thanks for reading and all the reviews they make me happy so keep em comin!
Chapter 20: Freudian Slips by Teri
Author's Notes:
So I busted this chapter out today after the hellish weekend I just spent at work. Thankfully I have wednesday and thursday off. and to top it off i get paid today woo! Okay here is chapter 20! A big thanks to Darby for helping me sort out this chapter. Next chapter we head to LAS VEGAS BABY! All right enjoy!
Chapter Twenty: Freudian Slips

   Completely exhausted from the morning rush, Becca walked back into Marie's office and plopped unceremoniously into the large leather chair. The popularity of the bakery was definitely growing. With the online business starting to bloom, the winter rush, the weddings, birthdays, and New Years parties to make cakes and goodies for, she was shocked how Marie handled this every year.

   Marie was smart to have taken the vacation now, while they were at their busiest. The stress of it all probably would have driven her insane. However, Becca mused to herself, Marie always did thrive under pressure. After all she probably lived for this kind of thing. She missed her best friend. It had been just a little over two weeks since she left and Becca missed her terribly to the point of growing irritable. Even her husband who adored her dearly had noticed that she wasn't the same without her friend.

   Getting an idea she flipped open her cell phone and called Marie. She hadn't spoken to her in a couple of days so maybe letting her know her little shop was thriving would make it seem more like she was here. Which is why, when the phone was answered with a different voice, a distinctly male voice that Becca was taken off guard. "Um who the fuck is this?" She shot brazenly into the receiver.

   Meanwhile on the other end of the phone, and the country Nick stood stunned at the unfamiliar female voice. "Uh who is this? How do you have my number? It didn't get leaked on myspace again did it?"

   At that moment it completely clicked in Becca's head. In hoping to reach Marie she'd accidentally reached Nick instead. "Oh I'm sorry. I'm Becca, I work with Marie, this is her number right? Nine-one-seven-,"

   Nick interrupted, "Oh shit. We must have switched by accident. We have similar phones." He replied showing that it also clicked for him as well that a switch occurred. He sat for a moment and then grinned. This had given him the perfect opportunity to find out what he could do for Marie, a simple affectionate gesture, bringing New York to LA. "You're Marie's best friend right?"

   "Yes, why do you ask?" Now Becca was completely intrigued.

   Nick sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I want to do something for Marie. I know she misses New York a bit, and I kind of want to bring some of New York out here for her while she's here you know?"

   Becca grinned ever so widely at the idea. It was sweet, in a very conventional and romantic kind of way. "What did you have in mind? I'm sure you can get pretty much anything in LA that you can here with the exception of some food."

   "Uh well, what's her favorite food from the city then? Something that you can only get in New York?"

   "Gray's Papaya."

   "Gray what?"

   "Gray's Papaya is well are hot dog restaurants, there's four here in the city. Best hotdogs in town. And the fruit drinks are fabulous. We usually get lunch there about once or twice a week. She always gets a special two hot dogs and a large drink."

   "Um can you get that for her and ship it to LA like priority overnight. I'll pay for everything. I just want to do something a little less traditional than flowers or something stupid." He'd been contemplating this ever since Marie had gone home the night before. He wanted to do something to show his affection and knowledge of her. However he'd quickly realized that he only knew small pieces of her. Her personality and quirks he knew. But as far as her past, her life in New York, all of that was a complete and utter mystery to him.

   Becca grinned into the phone. She didn't care if he was only doing this to try to win her over as Marie's friend, it was working tenfold. Her notions of him being a possible player or that Marie was getting in too deep too quickly were fast melting away. He was considerate, for the most part well spoken, and he obviously cared a great deal about Marie to even have the desire to do something so thoughtful for her. "Let me see what I can do. When do you want it by?"

   "Well she's going to Vegas with me for New Years, and we get back New Years night. So the second maybe?"

   "Perfect. This is a great idea I have to admit. She'll love it." Becca replied with a wide grin. Oh yeah, he's definitely a keeper. She thought to herself, fully intending on letting Marie know at least marginally what had transpired today, of course leaving out the details of his surprise.

---

    Marie shook her head at herself as she made her way into the rehearsal studio. She couldn't believe she'd switched phones with Nick. It was so unlike her to do something like that. However since the first time they met she had picked up his phone quite a few times. She laughed to herself thinking how stupid she was for thinking that he was getting calls from strange women.

    In hindsight it was clear as day that the tone of his voice from the calls he'd received were that of a parent and not a lover. His voice had been smooth, loving, indulgent and fiercely protective. Qualities she found that she absolutely loved about him. He was a fantastic parent, and an even better person. She marveled over how so quickly she'd clicked with him, his lifestyle (although something very different than anything she ever experienced before).  

    However, the fact that he'd admitted he was already in love with her, frightened her just a bit. Not that it wasn't a wonderful kind of fear, but that it scared her because she was beginning to feel the same way. She knew all along that she's been falling for him. And although it sometimes felt like it was a slow warming process, it was that same sweeping feeling of an all encompassing fall. She'd experienced that type of courtship once before, but never had the partner in question ever uttered a single ‘I love you' aside from a few pre-orgasmic cries of devotion to certain body parts or how she moved them.

    Thus to hear it, in Nick's own elaboration, from his mouth first was something that shocked her to her core. She wasn't used to being pursued, loved and adored by a man. She wasn't even sure if her fiancée had ever really loved her in the romantic sense. They had loved each other yes, but it was out of familiarity and comfort of knowing each other for so many years before making the leap to lovers.

    She shook her head at herself. She couldn't compare her past relationships to what was occurring with Nick. There were no similarities. She was drawn to him like nothing she ever felt before. Through all three of her relationships in the past she'd never felt this strong of chemistry, of personality, of sexual intensity, or anything really. Not Jared, Derek or Thomas had ever made her feel like this.

    She chuckled at the thought of Jared, her high school sweetheart. They'd gone out for two solid years doing all the clichéd things that teenagers in love do. They were each other's firsts, the quintessential first love. It made her shudder to think of how young and immature she was back then. They'd had an overly dramatic breakup only to make amends at graduation, never to see each other again as they both went off in two stark directions: her off to culinary school and him off to California on a baseball scholarship.

    She didn't date much until business school, doing more fun hooking up in clubs and being young and carefree until she reached the age where it wasn't fun anymore. It was then in business school that she'd met Derek, an acquaintance of Anthony's. She didn't heed Anthony's warnings about Derek, a hot shot young resident at Johns Hopkins University Medical Center. She fell head long into a casual affair. Well casual on his side of things that is. She'd fallen for him, gotten her heartbroken in the process but had also learned a great deal about the person she is.

    It was in the midst of picking up the pieces from Derek that she'd reconnected with Thomas, her childhood friend. He still lived in Brooklyn not far from her parents home and was desperately trying to move into the city. His job as a teacher was based near the Battery and he longed to be able to move closer so he didn't have to be a part of the bridge and tunnel crowd any longer. They'd hung out and soon the friendship turned into more and a year later they were engaged. Six months after that the romance had all but fizzled and they mutually, maturely called things off.

    All of this, in all of her past experiences there wasn't one certain thing she could compare. Maybe because Nick was completely unlike anyone she'd ever met. He had that crazy artistic temperament that she had but their moods seemed to match up rather well, except for the rare case it did not. He was also responsible, a trait she didn't see at all until she watched him with his daughters. His responsibility was evident in how he handled becoming a father at the age of 22. He had done the only responsible yet old-fashioned thing. He'd married Anna because they'd started a family even only accidentally.

   And then he could be the biggest kid she'd ever seen. His goofy playful side came out when he was happy, usually with his daughters or just happy to be in her presence. Another quality she deemed wonderful on her ever growing list. She grinned as she pulled into the parking lot of the building he'd asked her to meet him at.

   It was brown brick, nondescript with few signs. She wondered for a moment if she'd gotten the right place but then she noticed his Range Rover and grinned. She went inside seeing that the place was actually a dance studio. She watched for a moment as Nick lay on the hardwood floor, stretching out his legs as he laughed and talked animatedly with the others. Not wanting to intrude or eavesdrop she knocked rather loudly on the door frame and all eyes shot up to her. She blushed as Nick got up quickly and came over handing her the blackberry from his pocket as she handed him his. "I should get a different color shouldn't I?"

   He chuckled, "Nah just put a big ole sticker that says ‘Marie's Phone' and we'll call it square." He joked back.

   She laughed with him and smiled saying hello to the others as they watched them interact with a bit more scrutiny than at the barbecue. Could it be that he had told them of his feelings for her? Were they looking for the same clues in her body language to confirm a reciprocation of those feelings? She smiled as Nick walked her out to the car and held the door for her. "Thanks again. I feel like some Freudian experiment or something."

   "Oh yeah?"

   "Yeah, he believed there were no coincidences or mistakes that your subconscious directs your actions to lead you down a certain path."

   "Hmm, so that would mean that you meant to switch our phones, so I would have a nice conversation with Becca and you'd get to see me again."

   "Something like that." She replied with a grin then realized he'd mentioned Becca in the last sentence. "Wait what? You talked to Bec?"

   "Yeah she called, had some colorful words to start with. She's cool though. Definitely a good choice for a best friend. She's really no bullshit I like it."

   "Yeah she doesn't sugarcoat it. She keeps me grounded when my head gets too big that I might float away."

   He grinned and leaned in then pressing a kiss to her lips. And just like that the physical spark between them that happened everytime they touched reignited. The kiss grew deeper, and more urgent as the moments wore on. Until finally, a very reluctant Marie broke it. "I should get back to work." He said sighing as he looked down at her.

    She nodded and gave him one more quick kiss and got into the car. She sighed as she drove back to the condo. This was definitely different than anything she'd ever experienced before.


---

    Back at the studio Nick had walked back into the studio rubbing the back of his neck reveling in the memory of her lips on his. He couldn't believe the warmth that radiated throughout his body just thinking about kissing her again. He was in deep, and he couldn't care less. The others noted his faraway expression and grinned to each other.

    "She's really something." Howie remarked trying to provoke a response from their happily catatonic friend.

    Nick looked over at them and nodded simply. They were all a little stunned at how easily Marie swayed his emotions. He was antsy all morning expecting her arrival. And then suddenly he relaxes when she's near, and then subdued into an almost comatose silence as she leaves. None of them had ever witnessed this before with him, although each of them had experienced this type of a reaction themselves. It was love, that was plain to see. Nick didn't have to inform them of his emotions for them to completely understand. His body language spoke thousands more volumes than his words ever could.

    "So, are you excited that she's coming to Las Vegas with us? Leigh was telling me that she's never been." Brian asked wondering how to get Nick talking.

    "Yeah I am. I'm also a little miffed at your wife for pulling that stunt. Kind of painted Marie into a corner where she had to agree. Not exactly the way I would have wanted to ask her."

    "Oh well what's done is done. Just be happy that she's coming with us. She'll get to see you on stage, and hang out with Jo and Livie and of course our women. She'll really be able to see if she likes your crazy lifestyle."

    Nick sighed, "I'm kind of afraid of her reaction actually. I almost don't want to know."

    "Why?" AJ asked completely perplexed.

    "What if she can't handle it? I don't know what I'll do if I lose her, I just found her and I'm not willing to give her up just yet." He explained trying to minimize the fact that he was indeed in love with her. Each of the guys exchanged a glance and grinned. Their suspicions had been confirmed, the fact he was afraid to lose her was a clear indication of his growing love for her. Add to it the fact he wanted her to not only accept his life, but be able to handle being a part of it spoke loud and clear to all of them.

---

   Marie sighed as she made her way back into the apartment. She sighed and dialed Becca's cell knowing that since she'd called earlier that Becca would be chomping at the bit until she spoke to Marie directly. She grinned widely hearing Becca pick up after the first ring. "So I hear you had quite the nice little conversation with Nick this morning." Marie mused grinning from ear to ear.

    Becca chuckled, "Oh yeah, he's a nice guy. And boy is he into you. I could tell from just listening to how he spoke of you that he is head over heels."

    Marie sighed, "Yeah I know, I wanted to talk to you about that. He uh kind of told me that he's in love with me." She rolled her eyes hearing the gasp on the other end of the phone. This was going to be one long conversation indeed.

    "Really? I mean I got the general idea from just talking to him but he actually said it?"

    "Yeah, without any provocation either. We had just had sex and were laying in bed talking and he's like ‘I think I've fallen in love with you. Actually I think I'm already there'. I mean it's wonderful and shocking and totally unexpected I've never had a guy tell me he loves me first, ever."

    "So you're freaking out?"

    "A little, and now I'm going to Vegas with him and his band and his daughters. I mean isn't it a little too soon to do this? I don't want it to not work out and then the girls get caught in the middle and they end up hurt."

    "I don't think it's too soon at all. He's obviously crazy about you."

    "But Becca, I'm leaving in less than three weeks! Where does that put us?"

    "I don't know sweetie you're just going to have to cross that bridge when you get to it." She explained and Marie rolled her eyes.

    "I really hate that expression, it's just another term for avoiding the issue."

    "Well maybe avoiding the issue for the time being is a good idea. Obviously you're in way deeper than you think. You already are considering his daughters' well being over a relationship with him. That's pretty substantial."

    "I guess, but I just don't know what to do."

    "Just follow your heart, don't listen to your head, that always gets you in trouble." She mused and Marie sighed trying to process everything in her head. She did want to follow her heart more than anything she wanted to follow this to it's conclusion. But she didn't know if laying her heart out like that would just end in yet another failed relationship only this time with two little casualties that she couldn't harm for the life of her.

End Notes:
thanks as always and keep those reviews comin!
Chapter 21: Poker Face by Teri
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took me so long to get this one out. I was stuck on it for a lil bit, but now I think I got the flow back. Enjoy!
Chapter Twenty-One: Poker Face

"I wanna hold em' like they do in Texas Plays. Fold em' let em' hit me raise it baby stay with me (I love it). Luck and intuition play the cards with Spades to start. And after he's been hooked I'll play the one that's on his heart..." - (Poker Face by Lady Gaga)

    Marie sighed heavily as she got to the car service. She smiled at the note he'd left explaining once more that he'd had an early morning meeting and felt terrible about not being able to pick her up to make the trek to the airport together. It was a thoughtful gesture to send a car for her when he couldn't be there himself. Most guys would have just called and said to take a cab.

    This wasn't something she as used to, being doted on. Although it was a chivalrous gesture that most women should come to expect from the man they're romantically involved with, she definitely wasn't used to it. The men she normally dated were the type who didn't even have time to consider such a gesture let alone do it. Just one more quality to add to the already long her list: he was thoughtful.

    She watched LA fly by her as she made her way down the streets and already congested freeway to Los Angeles International airport. It didn't take her long to find the terminal, gate, check in and find the rather large crowd of people she was flying with. Joanna and Livie shrieked and ran over to her screaming her name. Marie grinned happily and knelt in front of them. "We're so happy you're coming with us!" Jo said excitedly. "Are you going to go to the circus with us?"

    "I believe I am." Marie playfully replied ruffling both girls hair. She stood when she saw Nick make his way over. He took her two bags putting them on a chair and wrapped his arm around her.

    "So sorry about not being there to pick you up. We had a meeting with management this morning, short notice you know?" He explained meekly as they joined the group.

    Marie shrugged, "It's no big deal it was nice of you to send a car service though. Definitely didn't expect that so thank you."

    "No problem I felt horrible so it was the least I could do."

    "You realize ninety-nine-point-nine percent of guys would have just told me to catch a cab or drive myself?" She mused making him grin a little.

    "Yeah I know, I didn't feel right about that, it's a jerky thing to do. Especially when you've promised to go and pick the girl up. If some girl did that to me I would be pissed off." Marie laughed at his expression and wrapped her arm around his waist as he squeezed her shoulders placing a kiss to her temple.

    "So we figure we'd do some shopping during the day tomorrow and maybe take the kids on a couple of the roller coasters and arcades down the strip." Leighanne suggested and Marie smiled.

    "Sounds like fun to me." Marie replied smiling back at Leighanne. She was nervous about this entire trip. She knew slightly that the others would be paying very close attention to her reactions and actions and making their minds up whether they liked her or not. It wasn't that they weren't completely kind to her, they were, just she had a feeling they were leery of her. It made her nervous to think that one wrong move and they'd throw her to the proverbial wolves. And that was the one thing she definitely didn't want to happen.

---

    Marie stared in complete awe as they made their way down the strip. The buildings, and the bright lights that were off in the harsh light of day. The sky was insane to her. The large expanse of exquisite white blue sky that literally arced over the horizon astounded her. She'd never seen the sky light up like this. In New York you only saw brief scattering patches of blue that were muddied with brown haze. The sky in LA even wasn't as brightly lit as this. The thick smog haze of Los Angeles covered much of it except for at places like the beach.

    "What are you thinking about?" Nick whispered as he leaned into her side in the back of the large van. Marie tore her gaze away from the sky to look at him before glancing around to the others in the van. She felt a little self conscious. Not only because her sort of maybe boyfriend's daughters were in the van, but also two of his bandmates and their significant others.

    "Just the sky. How funny it is that the one constant in this world looks so completely different from place to place."

    "What do you mean?"

    "Well in parts of Europe the blue is deeper, richer I guess. Out here it's washed out, almost white blue. Back home in New York I'll be lucky to see the sky on any given day when it isn't covered in smog, steam, or clouds. The sky scrapers also take up much of the view as well. And here it's just so light. So open." She marveled turning her attention back to the passing buildings beneath the vast expanse of sky.

    She was silent for the rest of the car ride, which bothered Nick to some degree. He was dying to know what was going on inside her head.  He needed to know if this was too much for her. It was beginning to feel like it was. The anxiety was rolling off of her in waves despite how calm she tried to portray herself as. He sighed, this was a mistake. He cursed Leighanne for even bringing up the subject of Vegas. He could have gone, and been back within 36 hours and nothing could have been awkward. But now it seemed, thanks to Leighanne's insistence, that this could very well drive a wedge between them.

    Of course he also didn't want to take the blame where it should go: squarely on his shoulders. He said a lot of things in the past few days he really shouldn't have. He should have known that saying he was falling in love with her, being so open, so vulnerable could very well scare her off.

    Once inside the hotel Nick left his daughters for a moment letting them get settled in their room of the two-room suite. As soon as they were alone Nick dropped everything he was holding and went to Marie. She stared at him curiously wondering what exactly was on his mind. "I have waited four hours since I saw you this morning to do this." He remarked before pressing his lips to hers. She immediately closed her eyes and lost herself to the kiss with a surrendering groan.

    His hands found her hips as hers went to his shoulders steadying herself against the heady feeling of the kiss. Their lips danced in complete synchronization parting together, melding perfectly as they stood in the middle of the hotel suite. It wasn't until two tiny giggles registered in their consciousnesses that they finally pulled away from each other mouths swollen and red, breaths labored and embarrassment flooding their emotions.

    Marie pulled herself away from him and her face flushed in embarrassment and shame. She didn't want his daughters to find out about their relationship this way. Catching them kissing rather passionately was not the way to break it to these two little girls that their father was dating. "Daddy, why did you kiss Marie?" Jo asked with curiosity on her face.

    "Yeah, Marie aren't you worried bout catchin' cooties?" Livie added making Marie bite her lip to stifle her chuckle.

    "Boys have cooties phase?" She asked looking over at Nick.

    "Pretty much."

    Marie chuckled and Nick turned his attention to his daughters. "You know spying isn't nice little misses." He chided as they knelt on the sofa leaning on the back of it.

    "We weren't spying. We just walked out of our room and you were kissing." Jo replied very matter of factly.

    "She has you there." Marie replied and Nick sighed. He hated to admit it but his five year old daughter outwitted him.

    "Even still it's not nice to stare."

    "Are you and Marie boyfriend and girlfriend?" Livie asked. Nick grinned a little seeing that she'd finally understood the subject of human pair bonding.

    He glanced at Marie and she shrugged. "Um well, that all depends on what you two would like to call us." He replied figuring letting the girls come to their own conclusions would be the best scenario.

    "Are you in love?" Jo asked stunning Nick completely. Now there was a conclusion he most certainly hadn't been expecting.

    "Umm well I don't know if I'd say that just yet. But I like her."

    "And I like him too." Marie added leaning on the sofa as well. "Is it okay if I like him?" She asked. She didn't want to admit it, but the acceptance and approval of these two little girls were the most important thing to her. More important than her shop, her friends. More important than even his band mates approval or what her family might think of Nick. Nothing was more important than the opinions of Jo and Livie.

    "Yeah!" Livie chimed in with a grin. "I like you too Marie." She said declaring herself in normal blunt way.

    Jo grinned and nodded simply. Marie figured that it would be harder for Joanna since she had conscious memory of her mother more than she assumed Livie had. But the fact that both of them seemed to approve of her and Nick ‘liking' each other made everything seem sort of surreal to her. It's a hard thing to do, to be a single parent and try to find love again especially with such young impressionable children. She couldn't help but wonder what would happen to them, yet again, if things didn't work out between them.

    And now, having their unwitting approval she wondered just how much her departure from their lives in just a few short weeks would hurt these three people who had come to mean so much to her in such a short time.

---

    "So Marie," Leigh began with a grin.

    "Yeah?"

    "How are you? I mean really?"

    Marie took a breath and looked between the two women in front of her. There were so many different answers to that question for her right now. She was calm, overwhelmed, frustrated, happy. All of her conflicting emotions were really beginning to mess with her head to the point where nothing remotely made sense on her own. One thing that did make sense however was what she felt like when she was with Nick. He made her feel happy, whole, and loved.

    But the biggest question of all - did she love him?

    That truly was the biggest thing on her mind next to of course her growing love and adoration for his daughters. She felt herself becoming so fiercely protective of them that it scared her that such sweet little girls could provoke such a maternal instinct in her.

    "I think I'm okay. Better than that maybe. It's difficult to wrap my head around everything."

    Both women grinned at her widely. "Don't worry honey, stick with us and we'll take good care of you. I remember when I was first introduced to their life, we both got introduced during two tumultuous times in the band's history so this is actually a nice time for you to come in. Everyone's grown up, matured in a lot of ways. Nick especially."

    "What do you mean?"

    "Well I'm sure he's told you he wasn't always the most responsible person. It's why I'm kind of grateful of those two little ones. They gave him the wake up call he needed in his life. As much as I didn't get along with their mother I am grateful that she gave him those two."

    "You didn't like Anna?" Marie asked, truly astounded that someone hadn't liked her.

    Leigh piped up then trying to politely explain in vague terms. "Well neither of us wanted to trust her. Because they were both so young and then she ends up pregnant. For a while I think we thought the worst of her. But she proved us wrong by being so good to the three of them."

    Leighanne sighed, "I kind of regret being such a bitch to her in the beginning. I'm sure it scared the hell out of her. And it certainly made things between Nick and Brian tense for quite sometime."

    Marie chewed on her lip a little bit and glanced at them. "Why are you telling me this?"

    "I can tell you're nervous. And not just by the way you've been sipping on the same glass of Merlot for the past thirty minutes." Leigh mused with a grin.

    Marie glanced down and the glass seeing it still had almost half of the red liquid still in it that it did a half hour ago. "It's not so much nervousness I guess. Maybe just overwhelmed?"

    Leighanne grinned. "If it makes you feel any better that's why we brought you out with us to lunch after hanging with the kids all morning playing games and such."

    Marie gave her a perplexed expression in return. They'd asked her to lunch because they knew she was overwhelmed with everything? The morning had been wonderful, they'd taken the kids to the largest arcade on the strip. She'd taught Joanna how to play Dance Dance Revolution and helped Livie win at the car racing games. She'd had a blast bonding with the girls and with Leigh and Leighanne. But now she was a little concerned as to why they had invited her out knowing she was feeling like this.

    "It's because we wanted to let you know we understand on some level. We've been there, getting into this social group is intimidating at first. And then of course you have the added stress of him being a single dad."

    "So you're saying-,"

    "We're saying that we like you Marie. And more importantly we can see the intensity between you and him. We know you feel just as strongly as he does."

    Marie took a large gulp of the wine and sat back in the chair shaking her head at herself. "Am I really that obvious?"

    "'Fraid so honey. It's okay he can't really see it himself yet. So you have a little time."

    "He told me he's falling in love with me. That he thinks he's already there."

    Both women exchanged a glance and grinned. "Remind me to buy something really nice for Angel would Leigh?" Marie looked at them both completely perplexed. Leighanne saw this confusion and grinned even more widely. "If it wasn't for Angel I don't think you two would have met yet. And this comes at a perfect time for him."

    "Why do you say that?"
    
    "Well when you go back to New York, he'll be going on tour. So it's not like you're leaving him and he won't have anything to keep him distracted to help the separation. And then he can always visit you in New York, hell the boys record there all the time."

    "Not to mention the record company meetings and such."

    "Yes, not to mention that."

    Marie held up her hand, "Wait, we haven't even discussed what's going on between us let alone what we're going to do when I leave."

    "Isn't it pretty obvious he's going to want to keep things going?"

    "Long distance relationships are rough."

    "They are, Brian and I had one for a long time while he toured."

    "What did you do?"

    "I eventually would come out for a couple weeks at a time to spend time with him, and when he came home he would spend time with me." Marie nodded at Leighanne's explanation and let everything sink in. Both women were adamant in their assurances that Nick was truly serious about her. But she didn't want to take their word for it. She knew in her heart though that they were probably right. He had been opening himself up to her in ways that most men never did unless they found someone they were truly serious about.

    Becca's husband had told her that once. That a man normally doesn't emotionally open up unless he's truly serious about a woman. What's pride worth when you've found someone you could see yourself with years down the road? He'd said. She sighed and looked out off the patio of the restaurant watching the pedestrians and cars pass them by wondering what Nick felt of his pride at that moment.

---

    Nick laughed hard as he watched Livie chase Baylee around. It was so endearing to see how the three kids interacted with each other. He'd figured that they'd be tired after spending the entire morning with the girls out and about, shopping, playing games and such. He loved that Marie had been so open to spending time with them without him. It made him all the more confident that she was really worth all the trouble that he knew they were in for.

    He felt terrible that he hadn't discussed it with her that he would be going on tour, half the world away, just a few days after she would make her return to New York. It wasn't something he liked to dwell on. The separation was not going to be pleasant from his side of things. He was growing too accustomed to her constant presence in his life that it was going to be ridiculously hard to go cold turkey.

    He supposed he was glad though. The tour and the girls would definitely provide welcome distractions from the empty feeling he was sure he was going to have to endure without Marie by his side. He had told himself several times now that he couldn't ask her to join him on tour. She wasn't like Anna. She was independent and had her own life to live in New York, a successful business to run and friends to see. He wasn't used to being with someone so entirely different than what he experienced in his past. Marie didn't need him the way his previous loves had. Anna needed him in far more ways than any of her predecessors.

    She'd needed him to be a husband, a father. Far more of a man than he was even emotionally capable at that point in his life. He'd grown into it of course with time. Becoming the man that now was completely ready for a mature, stable relationship. A relationship he wanted desperately with Marie. Long distance or not he didn't care, just for the chance to call her his. To belong to someone like Marie and have her belong to him.

    It was unnerving that she didn't need him in the ways he was used to. He was used to a woman needing to be provided for, to be taken care of in all aspects, physical, emotional, financial and the like. So this, to have a woman who didn't need him for anything but his companionship - even that he wasn't sure if she needed it more than wanted him around - made everything completely unnervingly fresh and new for him. It was like falling in love for the first time. All the trite clichés in the world could be used to describe how he felt yet they wouldn't explain it right. This experience was something entirely other and he was sure that he didn't want it to end any time soon.

---

    Marie exited the bathroom as she was hooking a silver dangle earring through her earlobe. Nick looked up from his position on the bed while fiddling with his watch. "Wow." He mouthed taking in her sleek form. She was wearing a flowing sparkly silver top that had thin straps and made a seductive ‘v' between her breasts. She grinned as he traced her body with his eyes seeing the tasteful black pencil skirt and Mary Jane stilettos to match. Her hair was down in loose curls and her skin looked so soft that he decided that she must have bathed in silk.

    "It's not too much is it?" She'd hoped when she'd packed the outfit in the first place that she'd be able to use it in the clubs of LA. However she had yet to really go ‘club hopping' per se since her arrival in California. It had been truly ages since she and Becca had been out in the city to go for a girls night of drinks and dancing so she promised herself that she would have enough fun for the both of them since Becca wouldn't be there.

    "Definitely not. You look fantastic." She beamed at him as he spoke the words, his eyes still completely glued to how the outfit hung deliciously to and off her curves.

    "Thanks this is what I would wear to a club in New York. I didn't know if the club attire was different out here or something stupid like that."

    "Even if it was you'd still put every woman to shame." He replied in earnest as she chuckled and turned to the mirror across from the bed grabbing her bracelets and pulling them on. He gasped as soon as her back was turned seeing that the top hung in a tantalizing open ‘v' shape all the way down to the small of her back stopping just before it met the top of her skirt. "Dear God woman..." He muttered making her laugh yet again.

    "What?" She asked knowing already what he was shocked at. She had to admit she kind of loved breaking out her club clothes that she so very rarely ever used. It was nice to know someone appreciated the way she looked in them.

    "You're really trying to kill me." He said as he came up behind her placing a kiss to her bare silky shoulder.

    "No I'm not." She said innocently trying to play along with their flirtations.

    "Yes you are. Looking positively dangerous in this outfit when I can't touch you for most of the night." He pouted a little convinced that she was being completely unfair to him by looking so touchable when he wouldn't be able to be near her for much of the night due to the performance.

    "No if I were trying to kill you I'd tell you that I have nothing on underneath the top and skirt." She replied grinning deviously.

    He froze for a moment, his grip tightening on her waist. "See, you are trying to kill me."

    "No just reminding you of what you can have later."

    "Evil." He replied silently thanking God he'd had the foresight to have the girls have a slumber party with Baylee. Originally he figured the girls would need someone to keep them entertained while he did his obligatory performance and appearance at an after party. He was happy to have them stay with Baylee and his nanny. He found it hilarious sometimes that Baylee had a nanny, but really she was only ever utilized for events where Leighanne was also invited to attend. Even though he may have been caught kissing Marie by his daughters, he certainly didn't want them becoming aware of what consenting adults in a budding relationship did behind closed doors.

    "You love it." She countered back at him bringing him back to their conversation.

    "I truly do." He replied grinning widely at her. Even though it was a difficult thing for the two of them to do - to balance career, the girls, and their blossoming romance - he never felt more calm or more sure of his ability to do so before now.

---

    Marie grinned as Nick handed her another cocktail, her third of the evening. She still couldn't quite believe that this was the same person who not an hour beforehand had been performing, singing and dancing on stage. Somehow she couldn't quite connect the two people in her mind. The confident goofy stage persona who knew exactly how to work a crowd of hungry fans with the humble, kind single parent she'd grown so accustomed to in the past weeks.

    When she did tear her eyes away from him and his friends on the stage she looked to Leigh and Leighanne who were staring at their respective husbands with adoration. How did they reconcile the musician with the man? Was it even possible? Marie felt extremely lucky to have gotten to know the personal much more intimate personality of Nick before ever seeing him perform. Even though she had a former teeny bopper sister, she never once had attended a concert or watched a video despite how hard her sister had tried.

    "So how'd you like the concert? Be honest now, I know pop music isn't exactly your thing." He remarked curiosity showing plainly on his face.

    "I'm a little star-struck right now to be honest." She replied and he grinned warmly at her and placed his hand over her fabric-covered thigh. "But other than that I have to say I'm impressed."

    "Really?" He asked feeling a thrill shoot up his spine making his head swim a little, then again the woozy feeling could be from the drinks.

    "Yeah and how you got the bouncer to find me and get me over to you by midnight was very smooth. You played well." She joked remembering how she felt at first intimidated when approached by the large bouncer. But soon after she was escorted to a dark corner of the club just a few feet off the way to the stage, hidden from the crowd's peering eyes she realized that he'd planned this. Just seconds before midnight Nick had disappeared off stage and she felt a little disappointed that he was going to miss the opportunity to ring in the New Year with his adopted brothers. However that errant thought quickly dissipated as he'd found her in that little corner and kissed her to within an inch of her sanity and just in time for the clock to strike twelve.

    "I try. Believe it or not before I became a dad I was quite smooth with women." He replied reminding her that once upon a time he hadn't always had his daughters and had been quite the ladies man.

    Marie chuckled and leaned in, "I don't find that hard to believe." She flirted back and he squeezed her leg just above her knee.

    "What did you think of the performance though? I'm curious about that." He asked feeling immediately stupid, like an attention hungry moron. He wanted to know her opinion though, since the music he prided himself in making wasn't exactly in her musical tastes.

    "I said I was impressed didn't I?" She said with a smile. "I am, truly. I may just have to call my sister for all her old tapes of you guys performing and all that jazz over the years. I can definitely see why she as such a huge fan."

    "Ugh don't call her for the old tapes, those can be embarrassing." He replied flushing in embarrassment at some of the performances, and interviews when he was much younger, and much less mature.

    "Oooh now I'm totally going to do it, just to see that blush!"

    Nick chuckled and took the cocktail glass from her hand placing it on the table in front of her before standing up holding out his hand. Marie looked at him almost dumbfounded for a moment but quickly caught on when he nodded towards the dance floor. She grinned as he led her out into the packed club. In the short time they'd known each other, they'd never once danced together.

     The sheer amount of people on the dance floor ensured that they would be dancing very closely. He smiled down at her as he wrapped his hands around her slipping to hold her hips under the flowing silver top. They danced closely, even closer than what the tightly packed floor demanded, neither of them speaking, and not needing to either.  He smiled to himself as she turned in his embrace smiling the whole time as they moved to the pulsing beat emanating from the speakers. He had to stifle a groan when she rolled her hips into his. He hadn't danced with a woman in a long time. He had tried on his blind dates but most of the time the either didn't have rhythm or they wore the shortest skirts and thought it was ‘hot' to bend over and very blatantly press their backsides into his groin.

      Once upon a time that would have been completely hot to him. He guessed with age and maturity that it was more ridiculous than anything to him now. But how Marie was dancing, close, slightly reserved but just giving enough to drive him insane was probably the hottest thing he'd seen or felt in a long time. He held her hip in one hand letting the other drift to her lower abdomen just under her naval. She grinned and turned her head to look at him showing that she was also enjoying dancing with him. She leaned her head back and he kissed her then not knowing what else he could do to get the desire in him out without causing quite the scene. He even shuddered when her hand gingerly touched his jaw as they continued into the kiss, still dancing not caring they were in the middle of a very crowded nightclub to share such an intimate moment.

     When they finally broke the kiss she turned again and leaned up to his ear. "Let's get the hell out of here."

     He grinned not needing to be told twice. He pulled her back over to the table letting her grab her clutch and handing her his jacket knowing it would be chilly outside. She grinned and noticed that the other couples had made their way out to the dance floor as well. She sighed in relief not knowing if she could handle the knowing glances and smirks if she had to say goodnight to them.

     They made the short walk back to the hotel in record time, neither of them speaking as they sped walked hand-in-hand down the strip only exchanging a few glances and sly smiles at each other. He led her into the hotel and tapped his foot as they waited for the elevator and all through the subsequent ride up the floors to the suite. Marie chewed the inside of her bottom lip as she fought the urge to laugh. It seemed silly in a way how so many couples around the world were doing this exact same thing. Coming back from celebrating the New Year for their own private celebration.

     They stumbled down the hallway and into the hotel room giggling at each other for their clumsiness brought about but their light buzzes. "Sh-shhh!" She stuttered. "Don't wake the girls." She whispered.

     Nick grinned widely and pressed her against the wall. "They're in Baylee's room for the night. I thought we might want a little privacy when we got back."

     "You are awfully cocksure Mr. Carter." She shot back making him grin and flush again.

     "No, just hopeful." He replied leaning in and claiming her mouth the way he wanted to now that they were finally and blissfully alone.

     Marie broke the kiss a moment later and pushed him back running her hand down his arm to his hand making the momentary disappointment disappear from his face. "Wouldn't want to dash those hopes now would we?" She smirked and began leading him to the bedroom.
 
End Notes:
HUGE thank you to darby for all her help on this chapter!
Chapter 22: Revelry by Teri
Author's Notes:
Yay another chapter! Quite an introspective one at that. I hope you all enjoy. A big thank you to Darby for kicking my butt and helping me plan the rest of the story! If you haven't already go check out Casual, her story. I'm sure most have checked it out but go read, enjoy and leave her some love too!

Chapter Twenty-Two: Revelry

     Everybody shout what's the big idea?

     "Hey! What's the big idea?!"

      Imagination movers are music to your ears. We're music to your ears! We're the guys who like to figure things out. What?

     "We love to figure things out!"

     You need some help just give us a shout.

     "Hey, movers won't you help us out!"

     Marie grimaced as she heard the loud music and singing from somewhere outside her haze of sleep. Two little voices shrieking the lyrics back at the music aggravated her slight hangover. True she'd only had a couple of drinks, three to be exact. But since she hadn't had anything else with them they of course had given her just a small migraine this morning. She grimaced even more as she heard the girls continuing to sing along with the loud song. She opened one eye, seeing both of them sitting on the bed, the bright midday light streaming in through the windows behind them.

     She heard the shower running in the next room and knew Nick must be in the shower, that would be the only logical explanation as to why the girls were getting away with waking her. Not that she completely minded. She was happy to see them. However at the same time it was rather uncomfortable to have them there while she lay in the bed she shared with their father, in only his button down shirt from the night before. She grinned watching the girls while laying still as before. Just looking at their innocent smooth faces as they watched their show in awe.

     Livie turned then seeing Marie grinning at them. "Marie! You're awake!"

     "Yes, I believe I found a new alarm clock." She replied pointing in the direction of the television. She sat up a little keeping the duvet wrapped around her hips. "Tell me what this show is all about."

     She listened to the girls clamor about their show and she smiled. It made her happy to see them so at ease and animated in her presence.

     "Marie why are you wearing Daddy's shirt?" Joanna asked with a sly grin on her face.

     Marie chuckled, "Well I asked and he said he would let me borrow it yesterday. Is that okay?"

     "Yeah, it looks comfy." Livie chimed in with a grin only to turn her face back to the television.

     "It is."

     A few moments later Nick came walking out of the bathroom a towel wrapped securely around his waist and another smaller one he was running through his hair. "Hey you two, I thought I said not to disturb Marie." He said giving them a reproving look.

     "We couldn't find the remote to the TV in the other room." Joanna reasoned giving her father a guilty look.

     He looked around them to see Marie grinning at them her hair looking like a mess of loose curls. "All right I'll find the remote, you two out to the living room so Marie can shower and get changed too." He ordered and the girls went with a groan. They had gotten comfortable watching their show in the bedroom and didn't want to move. He smirked and found the remote in the cabinet where hotels normally put the electronic equipment and flipped on the television for them before heading back into the room. "I'll be out in a few minutes and we'll get some breakfast okay?"

     "Yay!" Both girls shrieked as he closed the door. He shook his head muttering to himself so low that not even Marie could understand what he was saying.

     He looked at her then standing on the side of the bed, in just his shirt and smiled. "I have to admit, I love the way my clothes hang on you."

     She smirked and rolled her eyes smoothing her hands through her hair, her fingers quickly getting tangled. "Ugh, this is going to take me forever to untangle."

     Nick smirked and wrapped his arms around her waist as she walked past him stopping her. She looked up at him and arched one eyebrow. He looked like he was going to say something. She figured he was probably going to say how he felt again. Reaffirming his feelings towards her. However he didn't. He reigned himself in and simply channeled it all into a kiss. She smiled as his mouth met hers remembering the night before. How intimate it had been between them.

     When he broke the kiss Marie placed her hand at his jaw and grinned. "You sir, are one dangerous creature."

     Nick grinned and moved over to his suitcases. "Too bad we're not really alone, I'd join you." He remarked as Marie disappeared in the bathroom.

     "Well another time then." She replied sticking her head out of the door for a moment before tossing him the shirt she'd been wearing. Nick rolled his eyes and groaned as he began to dress for the day. He smiled as he pulled on his clothing. It was completely uncanny the strange sense of balance that was coming into his life as of late. He was most certainly head over heels for Marie. The intensity of what he felt for her could be construed as nothing else.

     He knew that she must feel something for him. He was patient; that it might take her longer to get to where he was and he was more than willing to wait her out. How she handled herself, with his friends, his children, the paparazzi and how impressed she was with seeing him do his job. More and more it was becoming glaringly obvious about how perfectly she fit into his lifestyle her personality able to mesh with every aspect of his life. He wondered for a brief moment that if they decided to try for a long distance relationship, if things would work out just as well.

     He had to talk to her about it first of course. That was the most imperative portion to getting them to do anything together once she returned home. It would be very painful, this he knew, if she didn't want that. Obviously she felt something for him. Something just as intense as what he was feeling but what if it wasn't enough for her?

     What if? What if she didn't love him? And that was the reason why she was being so quiet about her feelings, trying to spare his at the same time. He didn't think she would be the type of person to lie or hide herself from him. She was an open book. That much he could tell. She couldn't lie to him, not when her eyes gave away all her secrets. But as far as her feelings for him. He was just as confused as she was.  And that thought troubled him more than he would like to admit.

     He supposed he would ask her this week. He remembered that he had a gift arriving for her tomorrow at the condo. A thoughtful reminder of home. Maybe she would come over after and thank him. Or even a phone call would suffice. Although he definitely didn't want to have that particular conversation over the phone. Something so personal as to what they were going to do when she goes home shouldn't be done with the magic of technology. He had just a little over two weeks to come up with a plan, a solution to get her alone, to talk this out and present his side of things. The fact that the girls were going back to school tomorrow seemed to be the best thing possible.

     For when he would not be working he would be in fact alone. That would ultimately be, he felt, the best time to bring things up. While his daughters are in school and they could air out everything and find some solution to this madness he felt surrounding her impending departure.

---

    "Marie will you read to me?" Livie asked putting on her best pleading face.

    Marie looked over to Nick who was just finishing up his emails on his blackberry. He grinned and nodded. "Sure sweets, what would you like me to read?"

    "This one." Livie replied handing her a book.

    Marie's eyes lit up at the title and she grinned at Livie. "Where the Wild Things Are? I love this book!" She replied showing her enthusiasm to Livie at her excellent choice in literature. "Okay let's get started missy." Marie said lifting the armrest between them, settling the book between their laps and wrapping her arm gingerly around Livie's shoulders. She sighed contentedly as she opened the book and smiled at the first line, beginning to read it aloud to Livie. "The night Max wore his wolf suit and made mischief of one kind..."

    She continued to read changing her voice to fit each character as seamlessly as she possibly could. She was still amazed at how time certainly flew whenever she was with the girls and Nick. They had breakfast together, the four of them, then did a little bit of shopping together down the strip before their evening flight back home to Los Angeles.

    Home.

    A silly concept really. In all her years in New York she hadn't really felt so at ease as she did in LA. But she surmised that really it wasn't so much of the change in location but the relationships she was building. She was quickly beginning to realize that anyplace felt like home when she was with Nick. A definitely disconcerting feeling to be sure. They'd known each other such a short amount of time. Surely she couldn't be in love with him? She knew she loved his personality, his quirks, and even his flaws. Most of all she loved his daughters. They were her friends. Cherished friends who she wanted to see live, grow, and mature into the remarkable women she knew they would be one day.

    But to fall in love, to feel like she was there already, it scared the living hell out of her.

    She was falling in love, that she was sure of in fact in this moment, these past few days she'd realized that she was more than just falling. She was in love with him, rather deeply and profoundly. But what she didn't understand was that how she couldn't quite get how he unearthed these emotions in her. Emotions she thought wouldn't come out again. Not since she'd so idiotically fallen for Derek once upon a time. Yet at the same time this was completely different from how she'd felt about Derek. There were too many facets this time, so many different emotions all laced together so intricately around her heart that she thought she might suffocate from the intensity. Suffocation she freely welcomed and was almost ecstatic to endure.

    But one thing she couldn't wrap her head around quite yet is what they were going to do with her leaving. She didn't want to stop all communication but at the same time long distance relationships were hard to maintain. Was there some sort of middle ground they could maintain while furthering their relationship though thousands of miles apart from one another?

    How would that effect Jo and Livie? Would they resent her? Could they possibly even understand that she was going to have to leave them at some point in the very near future? The thought of leaving them, of hurting any one of them, Jo, Livie or most importantly Nick made her sick to her core. The pain of it, to see it on their faces would surely break her.

    Just as she was finishing up the book she noticed that Livie had changed to lay her head in her lap and was quietly asleep. Marie quietly closed the book setting it on the side of her as she played with Livie's light blonde waves. The images of Jo and Livie sleeping peacefully were two of the most angelic faces she'd ever seen in her life.

    Nick watched in complete awe as Marie lovingly watched over his youngest daughter. He grinned and leaned over taking her hand in his. Marie looked over at him smiling. "She's beautiful."

    "Yeah I can't believe how lucky I got with the two of them sometimes. They're exactly the kind of daughters you hope for you know?"

    "Yeah, they're fantastic." Marie whispered returning her attention to the sleeping child in her lap her voice was low, soft almost reverent as she praised them. She sighed again before looking out the window of the airplane wondering just exactly she was going to do with everything in her mind. But for the moment she wasn't going to worry.

---

    It was a little while later, about three hours that they were finally pulling up to Nick's house. Marie had forgone the chance to go back to the condo alone. She didn't know what she would do if left alone for too long. Being alone in her own thoughts was something she didn't want to do. Not that she didn't have a multitude of things to mull over in her solitude, she just didn't want to, not when she had the opportunity of spending more time with Nick.

    "I think they're exhausted." Nick remarked smirking as he pulled into the driveway. They looked over their shoulders seeing both girls were unceremoniously passed out in their booster seats. "Grab Jo, let's get these two sleepy heads up to their beds." Nick requested.

    Marie nodded and helped him gather up the girls and smiled slightly when Jo clung to her as she carried her through the house to her bed. She turned on the night-light in the room knowing that she enjoyed the play of musical notes on the wall just as much as Livie did. Nick placed Livie in her bed kissing her forehead then stopped and watched Marie as she placed Joanna in her bed brushing a few loose strands from her face.

    Quickly he excused himself down to the truck to get the rest of the luggage leaving Marie with the girls. Marie grinned as she looked at Joanna's face. She leaned over and placed a kiss to Joanna's temple and smiled. "Goodnight sweetheart." She whispered.

    Joanna smiled in her half consciousness and rolled over, "Night Mommy." She whispered taking Marie completely off guard. Even though she knew that Joanna was probably half dreaming, thinking of her real mother and not Marie, she couldn't escape the thrill that shot up her spine at the sentiment.

    Forcibly numb, shocked even, Marie made her way down the stairs and out to the patio. Nick joined her moments later wrapping his arms around her and placing a soft kiss to her shoulder. "Is there anyway I can entice you to stay tonight?" He asked with a devilish tone to his voice.

    Marie pushed away from him then and shook her head. "I don't think that's a good idea."

    "Why not?"

    "Just I think I need to sort some things out I think. I don't know anymore."

    "Care to share? I mean come on you can tell me anything you know."

    Marie looked at the sincerity in his face and sighed. "When I was tucking Jo in. She said ‘night mommy'. And I know that she was thinking of her mother. But it scares the fuck out of me because I liked how it sounded. Even though I know she wasn't talking to me directly."

    Nick's features softened and he grinned a little. Hearing her admit she liked taking on a maternal role with his daughters was almost as good as admittance to her feelings. "Is that bad?"

    "It is when you think about it realistically! I am leaving in a couple of weeks. What do you think this is going to do to them? I can't hurt them. I refuse to. I love them. They're so fantastic and sweet and adorable, just the perfect little girls. I don't know how you're doing it but you are raising two of the most remarkable women I'll ever know. And then there's you. God. Do you even know how much it hurts to feel like this. To love you like this. It's scaring the hell out of me Nick!"

    Without even realizing what she said she sunk down to a lounge chair putting her head in her hands. She hadn't meant to get so heated, so freaked out, so emotional all in the span of five minutes. She felt Nick kneel in front of her pulling her hands away from her face. She looked in his eyes and he grinned. "You're in love with me?"

    "I said that out loud?" He nodded in response and she sighed. "Yeah. I am. I love you. I love them. But what are we going to do? I'm so scared out of my mind. I can't hurt them and it seems like it's exactly what I'm going to do."

    Nick pulled her face to look at him. He grazed his thumbs along her jaw. "Do you think this is any different for me? What makes you think it's any different for me?" He replied before pressing her lips to his. Both of them lost their breath, the electricity between them reaching a fevered pitch. Something they hadn't experienced before with just a kiss. He broke it reluctantly placing feather light kisses to her face. "We have two weeks to figure out what exactly we're going to do when you leave. I love you. And knowing that you love me, well that's really all I need to hear. I am not willing to give this up. To give us up. It's too good, it feels too right to just say it was a fun little vacation fling."

    "I agree."

    "But let's not talk about this now. We will when the time comes, right now I just want us to enjoy the next couple of weeks together while we can. But first I think we should continue this tomorrow. We're both tired and I should take you back to the condo."

    "Can I stay?" She asked as he smiled at her. She didn't have to ask; she knew he'd let her stay forever if she wanted.

    "Of course." Nick replied and pulled her in for another kiss.

 

 

(Music from Imagination Movers, and the story quote from Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak)

End Notes:
hope you enjoyed! leave me some love k? thanks so much it's always appreciated!
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9357