A Christmas Carol by Carter-Orange
Summary: Here's my answer to the December challenge, it's A Christmas Carol (Backstreet style)
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick
Genres: Alternate Universe, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2460 Read: 788 Published: 12/08/08 Updated: 12/08/08

1. A Backstreet Christmas Carol by Carter-Orange

A Backstreet Christmas Carol by Carter-Orange
A Backstreet Christmas Carol

It was Christmas Eve and Holly was still in work, her boss Nick Carter was the tightest man on the planet who thought Christmas was just another excuse for a day off for no good reason.

She’d been working for him for the past 5 years, no pay rise and no perks of the job, but she enjoyed her work and apart from the fact that Nick was mean with money, she got on reasonably well with him.

“It’s 5pm, is it OK to go now?” she asked as she did everyday, some days he kept her there until 5.30, no overtime pay either.

“Yeah, I suppose if everything is finished for the day, then go ahead” he replied.

Holly switched off her ancient computer and began to put her coat on. She turned to her boss and wished him a merry Christmas.

“Bahhhh humbug, Christmas is not a merry time and I‘ll thank you to keep it to yourself” he said and Holly laughed to herself, he sounded just like Scrooge!

“OK, well goodnight then” she said and left the office and began the walk home. It was snowing and freezing cold, her coat wasn’t warm enough and she just wished she could afford a new, warmer one, but there were the children to think of, they came first.

She got to the childminder’s house and collected her two children, Mia and Molly, they were so excited and she couldn’t help feeling guilty, she’s not been able to buy half of what had been on their Christmas list to Santa. Being a single parent was hard. She paid the childminder, wished her a merry Christmas and then they walked home. By the time they got home the children were tired, they got their pj’s on and put out a snack for Santa and his reindeer and then Holly tucked them both up in bed, kissing them goodnight and telling them to go straight to sleep as Santa was on his way. Within half an hour both girls were asleep and Holly had peace and quiet to finish wrapping the presents, drinking a couple of glasses of wine as she did so. Once she’d arranged all the presents under the tree and finished the bottle of cheap wine, she went up to bed.

********

Nick was too mean to buy a car, it’s not that he didn’t have the money, he had plenty, he was just tight! So, after locking up the office he began to walk home, passing people in the street who all looked happy and full of cheer. He wondered what they all had to be happy about? A lot of these people were in debt up to theirs eyes, where was the joy in that? Fools, he thought.

He eventually got home, put the key in the lock and opened the door, it was cold in there but as he was planning on going to bed soon, he wasn’t going to put the heating on as he felt that was a waste of money. He took his coat off and hung it up, shivering as he walked into the kitchen. He opened the cupboard and took out a can of soup, he warmed up the contents and then ate it, feeling the hot soup begin to warm his cold body. He washed his bowl and left it to dry on the drainer and then walked upstairs, undressed and climbed into bed, switching on the TV and snuggling down under the covers to keep warm (he wasn’t mean enough to go without a TV).

He must’ve dozed off as next thing he knew he was being woken up, someone was shaking him.

“What the fuck? Who the fuck are you and what are you doing here? I aint got nothing so don’t even think of robbing me” Nick said, rubbing his eyes and trying to work out who this guy was.

“Hey man, I’m the ghost of Christmas past and I’ve got something to show you, so get your lazy ass out of that bed” said the stranger, dressed all in white.

“Look, I don’t know what the hell you’re on man, but just leave me alone and I won’t call the police” said Nick, thinking this guy was obviously high on some kind of drug.

“Just take my hand and you’ll see” he said. Nick did as he was told, scared of what would happen if he disobeyed.

Next thing he knew they were in another place, how the hell did that happen? He looked at the man in white as if to question him.

“Told you, I’m the ghost of Christmas past” he said

“OK, so what the hell do you want with me?” asked Nick

“Take a look around, does this bring back any memories?” he asked

Nick looked around, he knew exactly where and when he was, it was a party being held in this very house, Christmas Eve six years ago. There was music playing, the place was full of friends and family and Isabelle - the love of his life. He looked around and saw himself, as he’d been six years ago, laughing, chatting amongst friends and more importantly with Isabelle by his side. He could only stand there and stare, open mouthed.

“They……can they……..y’know, see us?” Nick asked

“No, don’t worry, they can’t see a thing” said the ghost of Christmas past.

Nick took a wonder around, once upon a time he’d really known how to party! There were all kinds of food and drink flowing, his parties had always been the best.

“So, why did you bring me here?” Nick asked

“To show you how you once were, you weren’t always a miserable bastard” said the ghost

“Well, things change y’know!” Nick snapped

“And what was it that caused you to change?” he asked

“I don’t wanna talk about it OK” said Nick

He closed his eyes and they fast-forwarded through time to six months after the party. Nick and Isabelle were arguing in the park.

“Look man, I don’t wanna see this” Nick complained

“Well we are seeing this, so sit your ass down” said the ghost

Nick sat down on a bench and watched his younger self and Isabelle arguing, he remembered it well as it was the last time he ever saw her. She wanted more, she wanted commitment, to move things on in their relationship and get married but he’d said he wanted to make something of himself first, wanted to be earning more money so they could have a better life.

“But Nick, I love you no matter what, I couldn’t care if you had nothing, it’s you I love, not what you earn” Isabelle had said. But it was no use, Nick was stubborn and Isabelle left him, telling him that it was over if he wasn’t prepared to make a commitment. He never called her. He regretted that now, but back then he thought “to hell with you then”.

“She really was something, and you just let her go?” said the ghost

“Yeah, I know I was an idiot” replied Nick “look I’ve seen enough, take me home”

So he took the ghost’s hand and found himself back in his bed, he blinked and thought he must’ve imagined it all, maybe that soup had been out of date of something, making him hallucinate! He went back to sleep, only to be awoken by another figure.

“And who the hell are you? Asked Nick, pinching himself to make sure he really was awake.

“I’m the ghost of Christmas present and I’m going to show you what you’re missing this year” said the ghost

“Bring it on” said Nick and took the ghost’s hand, he knew the drill now!

In no time at all they were outside a strange house, one he didn’t recognise at all. He looked through the window and saw Holly, the woman who worked for him, she was crying and arranging presents under the tree.

“But I know her, that’s Holly” he said

“Yes, and you don’t know what a struggle it is for her. She’s a single parent, trying to do everything she can for her kids and working for a man like you who’s not given her one pay rise in 5 years. But she doesn’t complain, she just gets on with her job” said the ghost

“She looks so…….unhappy” said Nick

“Well wouldn’t you if you couldn’t provide enough for your family? She’s not bought anything new for herself in ages and the kids aren’t having Nintendo DS’s like their friends, they are having to make do with second hand gameboy advances” said the ghost “and that’s taken some struggling just to be able to afford them”

Next they saw Nick’s old friends and the family he didn’t bother with anymore, they were all laughing and playing silly party games, having fun.

“You could be here with them you know” said the ghost

“Hmmm” was all Nick could say. He looked around and saw all the faces he’d not seen since he cut himself off from them, he missed them all.

“Come on, time to go home” said the ghost and took Nick’s hand.

Once again Nick was back in bed, he wondered if he’d ever be able to get any sleep! He was just drifting off again when he was awoken by a sinister looking figure all dressed in black, with a hoodie covering his face so he couldn’t even see what the guy looked like.

“Let me guess, the ghost of Christmas future?” said Nick sitting up, ready to go wherever this one was going to take him. The ghost merely nodded his head and took Nick’s hand.

Nick didn’t like the look of this, they were outside Holly’s house but the house was vacant, he noticed a sign on the door and took a closer look “REPOSSESSED” it said, oh god, poor Holly and her children, he wondered what had become of them. He soon found out. They were living in a complete shit hole, cockroaches running across the floor, damp patches all over the walls and very little furniture. It turned out that she’s fallen behind with her repayments and the bank had taken her house and all of it’s contents. Nick really felt sorry for her.

Next they were at a hospital, who the hell was here? He soon found out, it was himself.

“But, I look like shit, what the hell happened to me?” Nick asked. It turned out that years of living like he did had made him very ill, he was suffering from pneumonia and malnutrition. He looked at the date, it was only two years in the future, how could things have got that bad in two years?

“I’ve seen enough” said Nick “take me home”

So the ghost did as Nick asked and took him home, where he fell into a deep and dreamless sleep.

He awoke the next morning feeling like a new man, he turned on his TV and thought he was going mad! According to the TV is was only Christmas Eve today, what had happened to the last 24 hours? He got out of bed and went to the window, opened it up and called down to someone in the street.

“Hey, what day is it?” he shouted out

“It’s Christmas Eve of course” shouted a woman back at him

“Thank you, Merry Christmas” he called out, and he meant it. Oh my god, what was happening to him, he’d wished someone a merry Christmas.

He went and took a shower and got dressed, went to the office and waited for Holly to arrive. At 8.55 she walked in, looking tired but she still managed to smile and say good morning to him.

“Listen Holly, I’ve been thinking, it’s about time I gave you a pay rise” he said

“Really? Oh that would be wonderful” she said smiling brightly

“Yeah, and here, here’s a Christmas bonus” he said handing her $1000 “spend it on your kids, do whatever you want, you deserve it”

“Oh Nick, thank you so much, you have no idea what this means to me” she said, gratefully taking the money from her boss.

“And another thing, it’s Christmas Eve, no more working on Christmas Eve OK, from now on I’m not just giving you a day off over Christmas but the whole week so you can spend it with your family” said Nick smiling. Holly nearly fainted, was this really Nick Carter?

“Are you sure you’re OK Nick?” she asked

“More than OK” said Nick “now get yourself away from here and enjoy yourself”

“Thanks, and merry Christmas” said Holly and gave Nick a hug. He was surprised to find himself hugging her back, it felt good.

Next he locked up the office and went to visit all of his family and the friends he’d neglected for so long, stopping on the way to buy a gift for each of them. At first they were shocked to see him standing on their doorsteps after all this time, but welcomed him with open arms into their homes, happy to see him again.

He was invited to spend Christmas Day with his family and loved every moment of it. He was not going back to his old ways, this was the start of something new, from now on he was going to be a more positive person, a new man.

********

One year later.

A lot had happened in a year and now Nick was happier than he’d ever been in his life. He’d become very fond of Holly and they’d got together shortly after New Year. In fact he was more than just fond of her, he was married to her! They were spending their first Christmas together in the new house they’d just bought, wrapping the presents whilst the kids were asleep in bed and then relaxing together in front of the TV, Nick sipping a glass of wine and Holly laying down with her head on his lap, Nick’s other hand resting on the baby bump that was just beginning to show. He was the happiest man in the world.

THE END
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9442