Killing Me Softly With His Song by Ruby Maye
Summary: A short story about a brief encounter with a musician at a small cafe.
Categories: Original Fiction, Poetry/Songs Characters: None
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 921 Read: 954 Published: 02/22/09 Updated: 02/22/09
Story Notes:

This story is loosely based off of a song by Toni Braxton called "Spanish Guitar." (I know the title is of another song but I liked it better).

1. I'll Be Your Song by Ruby Maye

I'll Be Your Song by Ruby Maye


The chimes on the door to the Sapphire Café jingled as I walked into the small coffee shop. I smoothed down my white skirt and canary yellow halter top that blew in the slight breeze. I ordered hot tea and sat down at an empty table.

I looked around at the simple layout of the café when I noticed a musician on stage singing with his guitar. He had the most enchanting singing voice I had ever heard and I feel entranced by the beautiful song he was singing. He was also the most handsome man I had ever seen. The passion in his voice invited me to an enchanted and forbidden fantasy and I felt as if I were his only audience. He flashed his famous grin and finished the song. A handful of people in the café applauded the handsome musician as he took a bow. He left the stage and made his way to a table full of his friends.

I couldn’t take my eyes off him as I watched him socialize with his friends. He must have felt the weight of my stare because his electric blue eyes immediately collided into my ebony ones; I had to blink a few times at the intensity. He winked at me as he got up and began to walk over to my table. I self-consciously fixed myself as he neared my table.

“Hi, may I join you?” he asked.

“Yes,” I said, gesturing to the seat in front of me.

He grinned and sat on the chair across from me and just looked at me.

“Do you come here often?” he asked, his perfectly shaped eyebrows shot up in question.

“No, this is my first time here,” I mumbled. “I liked your performance, by the way. The song you were singing was really beautiful.” I nervously took a sip of my hot tea.

“Thank you, well, I was singing for a beautiful girl,” he said flashing me a sexy smile that turned my knees into Jell-O.

I feel myself blushing and I heard him chuckle slightly.

“Why are you blushing?” he asked. “I didn’t mean to embarrass you.”

“Oh, it’s just that I don’t often hear compliments like that.”

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. “Really? I find that hard to believe. I’m sure you get them all the time and if not, then the world is blind because you are beautiful.”

I looked up at him to see he was being serious. He smiled again for the umpteenth time; I lost count at this point. This time when he smiled he revealed a small dimple in his left cheek.

“What’s your name?” he asked suddenly.

“Melissa,” I mumbled.

“That’s a beautiful name,” he said as if he had never heard of that name before. I sat there wondering how many Melissa’s he knows. I mean, it was a common name and it’s not really rare.

“Thanks,” I said, taking another sip of my tea but I realized my cup was empty.

A tall man with striking emerald eyes approached the table and addressed the man across from me.

“Hey man, we’re heading out,” he said. He turned to me and offered me a polite smile.

“Alright, I’ll be right there,” he said to the man.

The man nodded and gave me a small wave before he turned away and joined three others by the door.

“I have to go, but I’d like to see you again,” the mysterious musician sitting across from me said. “Can I get your number?”

After searching my purse for a pen, I scribbled my cell phone number on an unused napkin. I handed him the napkin and saw him study it as if committing my number to memory, or my name, whichever one he’d most likely to forget.

“See you later, Melissa,” he said, taking my hand and kissing it.

“Bye,” I called after him. He flashed me a final smile as he headed out the door.

I got up from my table and left a 5 dollar tip under my cup and left the coffee shop.

When I got into my car, the radio played a song that sounded familiar.

A smoky room a small café
They come to hear you play
And drink and dance the night away
I sit out in the crowd
And close my eyes
Dream youre mine
But you dont know
You dont even know that I am there

I wish that I was in your arms
Like that spanish guitar
And you would play me through the night
till the dawn
I wish youd hold me in your arms
Like that spanish guitar
All night long all night long
Id be your song Id be your song

Steal my heart with every note you play
I pray youll look my way
And hold me to your heart someday
I long to be the one that you caress with tenderness
And you dont know
You dont even know that I exist

I wish that I was in your arms
Like that spanish guitar
And you would play me through the night
till the dawn
I wish youd hold me in your arms
Like that spanish guitar
All night long all night long
Id be your song Id be your song

Te sientas entre la gente
Cierras tu ojos
Y suenas que soy tuyo
Pero yo no siquiera se que estas ahi
Me gustaria tenerte entre mis brazos amor

I sit out in the crowd
And close my eyes
Dream youre mine
And you dont know
You dont even know that I exist

I wish that I was in your arms
Like that spanish guitar
And you would play me through the night
till the dawn
I wish youd hold me in your arms
Like that spanish guitar
All night long all night long
Id be your song Id be your song
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9603