Lance and Justin's Explaination by angelfromafrica
Summary: Here is the story behind what really happened to Nick...

Second story in the 'Where's Nick?' series so please read the first story first!!
Categories: Fanfiction > Music > NSYNC, Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Group, Howie, Justin, Kevin, Lance, Nick
Genres: Dramedy, Suspense
Warnings: Death, Graphic Violence, Violence
Challenges:
Series: Death of a Backstreet Boy
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 15132 Read: 24715 Published: 03/19/09 Updated: 03/19/09

1. Part 1 by angelfromafrica

2. Part 2 by angelfromafrica

3. Part 3 by angelfromafrica

4. Part 4 by angelfromafrica

5. Part 5 by angelfromafrica

6. Part 6 by angelfromafrica

7. Part 7 by angelfromafrica

8. Part 8 by angelfromafrica

9. Part 9 by angelfromafrica

10. Part 10 by angelfromafrica

11. Part 11 by angelfromafrica

Part 1 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation.
Part 1.

As the police van pulled away, Lance glanced out the rear window and looked at his friends. He had done this for nothing, he saw that now. He had ruined a life, only to ruin his own. He gave a huge sigh of regret and Justin looked at him.
“What?” Justin snapped, he too was angry. Lance glared at him.
“Nothing, I swear this would have worked if you had gone and checked on Mclean like I said,” Lance snapped back, Justin’s eyes flared as he looked at Lance.
“Yeah well if you’d not changed the plan…” Justin began but Lance cut him off.
“Changed the plan? It was your bright idea to lock Mclean in that room with a dead body. I just thought it smarter to move things to the basement, where it would be less obvious. If you’d gone up and brought him down none of this would have happened!” Lance jeered back. Justin threw Lance a dirty look.
“Hey, I was only helping you out. Remember that! This wasn’t my idea, I was just helping out a friend!” Justin retorted, and Lance grunted in reply.
“Yeah right, I’m your friend? You were helping me out? You ruined everything, by not listening to me!” Lance hissed back, they seemed to have turned on each other in the past few hours once they realized they’d been caught.
Justin glared at Lance, “Fine believe what you want. But without me none of this would have happened.”
“Yeah you got that right,” Lance replied and glared out the window. There were a few minutes of silence as the van drove on.
“I swear, you’re such a spaz Bass,” Justin said after a while. Lance looked back at him.
“What is that supposed to mean Timberlake?” He asked, Justin chuckled and looked at Lance.
“Look at you. You altered your looks just to be one of them? God, how desperate can you get,” Justin replied, and laughed some more. Lance looked at him.
“It wasn’t as if you didn’t want to do it to!” Lance snapped back, Justin gave him a ‘yeah right’ look.
“Bass, I’m not THAT desperate,” Justin said, “If I wanted to become one of them I would have done it by now and not by altering the way I look.”
“Fuck you Timberlake. At least I had a plan,” Lance said, his voice rising with anger.
“What plan? Where you murdered Nick Carter and Backstreet found out? Yeah, smart plan that one,” Justin said chortling, as he realized the daftness of Lance’s actions.
“Well it would have worked if I didn’t ask you to help me. That was the worst idea I’ve ever had,” Lance snapped back, Justin stopped laughing and glared at Lance.
“I swear Bass, when I get out of here…” was all Justin could think of in reply and Lance looked at him laughing.
“You get out of here? Keep telling yourself that Timberlake,” Lance said, “I’m no lawyer, but if you commit a murder and kidnap, I’m guessing you’ll get a life sentence!”
“Hey buddy,” Justin replied, “I was not the one who killed Carter, and it was you!”
“Yeah? Well that’s not how I remember it!” Lance snapped back, his voice rising.
“Really? How do you remember it?” Justin asked, his voice louder than Lance’s now. Lance opened his mouth to respond but they were cut off by the cop who was sitting in the front seat.
“Shut up the both of you, or I’ll come back there myself,” the cop threatened and both Lance and Justin shut up.

The cell stunk of something Justin didn’t quite know, and as he entered it he knew that something had gone wrong. No shit, he said to himself as Lance, who looked like Nick, sat on one of the dirty benches, pouting.
“There’s no way I’m sitting on that,” Justin said, more to himself than Lance, as he eyed the bench. Lance looked at him disapprovingly.
“I don’t give a fuck Timberlake, you can sit on shit for all I care,” Lance replied looking away from Justin. Justin growled and went to sit on the cleaner bunk that was provided, but he cringed when he saw the cockroaches all over it.
“Ugh, that’s disgusting!” He exclaimed and batted them away as best as he could, Lance looked at him and grunted. “What?”
“This isn’t a five star hotel Timberlake, so get used to it,” Lance replied, he seemed to have come to terms with their situation.
“I didn’t say that it was,” Justin retorted back, and plonked himself down on the bed which creaked as he did so.
“You didn’t need to; you just act as if you are owed it. As usual,” Lance replied rolling his eyes.
“What’s that supposed to mean?” Justin asked pouting and Lance snorted.
“Like you don’t know,” Lance said, still avoiding Justin’s glare.
“No I don’t please indulge me,” Justin replied sarcastically, this made Lance turn and face him. As he did so Justin got the shivers, it wasn’t nice to be in a cell with someone who looked like the dead.
“Where do you want me to begin?” Lance asked viciously. “When Nsync started? Or when NSA was released? Or ohh I know what about on the Popodessy tour?”
Justin snarled at Lance, “You have such a wild imagination Bass.”
“I do, do I?” Lance asked, “Because as I remember it you were always acting as if you were royalty or some shit.” Justin didn’t respond instead he just turned away from Lance. “What? No answer? Wow, that’s a first!”
“What the fuck does that mean?” Justin asked angrily, turning around and jumping off the bed to face Lance.
“You know what it means Timberlake,” Lance said, he too stood up.
“Oh I do, do I? Why don’t you come over here and show me!” Justin yelled back.
“Fine I will! You little asshole!” Lance screamed and launched himself at Justin, grabbing him by the throat. They fell to the floor and there was a struggle.
“Lance! I can’t breathe!” Justin gasped after a while, as he tried to pry Lance’s fingers from his throat.
“Good!” Lance said, “then I won’t have to listen to your shit all day!’ Lance squeezed Justin’s throat tighter and tighter.
“Lance, come on! We can work something out!” Justin gasped, still trying to pry Lance’s fingers away.
“We can? Like what? Like how you screwed up my life?” Lance replied angrily, he shook Justin beneath him.
“Help!” Justin managed to yelp, after he realized Lance was not going to let go, “Help! I’m being strangled!” Luckily for Justin, a warden walked by and saw the commotion.
“Okay you two!” The warden called as he rushed inside followed by two other wardens. “Off you get Bass!” They managed to pull Lance off Justin and Justin grabbed his throat, feeling it.
“Thanks,” Justin breathed as he moved to sit on the bed.
“No problem Timberlake, but next time watch what you say because I ain’t going to come in here and save you!” The warden snapped, “I’m sure Bass had a good reason. Come on, let’s separate these two.” The warden nodded, grabbed Lance and handcuffed him, leading him out the cell. As they left they did not notice the smile that formed on Justin’s lips, it was a smile that no one had ever seen him produce. A smile of revenge.

Lance soon found himself sitting alone in a smaller cell. He knew he should not have gotten mad at Justin, but he did. Then again, Lance had reasons for getting angry, just like he did the time when Nsync started.
As Lance sat alone in the cell he remembered those days. He remembered being in Germany with the other guys, and how they’d all ignore him and focus on Justin. God, they worshipped his ass, Lance thought, and now look; I’m in jail because of him. That’s just great, just great.
All the others had, or so Lance felt, loved Justin. So did the fans, that’s why he’d gotten so demanding, and so bloody bossy. Justin always would shove Lance around, ordering him to do this or that. But Lance guessed it was because Justin was the youngest.
Then when Justin had decided to do the solo thing, all the others had supported him, but when Lance wanted to go to space, they’d all had something negative to say.
Lance couldn’t understand why they had been like that, so instead of talking to the others, he decided to let them believe what they wanted. He was going to space, or so they thought. That is when Lance saw it as his meal ticket out of Nsync, and into Backstreet.
Lance had always liked Backstreet, all except for Carter. They had all been nice to him, much nicer then Nsync ever had. So that’s why he decided to kill Carter and take his place. I mean, the only one who had close resemblance to Lance was Nick. So I changed my looks to look more like him and this is how it ends up? What a piece of shit, waste of money, Lance thought as the door to his small cell opened and the warden who’d pried him off Justin stood in front of him.
“Okay, let’s go Bass,” the warden barked, dragging Lance up. “You’ve got someone here to see you.” Lance was confused, who would come and see him?
“Who is it?” Lance asked as he let the warden drag him out of the cell and down the corridor. The warden glared at Lance.
“Your lawyer,” he said matter of factly and Lance looked at him stunned. His lawyer? He didn’t call for no lawyer, he was guilty, he’d accepted that. “Don’t look so shocked, you know if you can’t afford one or don’t call one, one will be provided by the state.”
Lance nodded and quietly let the warden lead him down the hall. They soon turned and entered a small room.
“Here we are,” the warden announced and threw Lance in front of him rather roughly. Lance tried to not fall flat on his face and grabbed the end of the table.
As he struggled to get himself up, he managed to look at who else was in the room with him. He gasped, he wasn’t expecting this. Standing a few feet away from him, was a man in a black pressed suit and a briefcase who Lance figured to be his lawyer. Standing next to the lawyer however was someone that Lance felt should have not been there, someone who should have let Lance rot in prison.
“Why did you come?” Lance managed to ask, the man looked at him.
“Because I had to,” he replied and Lance shook his head.
“No, you didn’t. I betrayed you guys, I betrayed Nsync, you didn’t have to come Chris, really you didn’t.”
Part 2 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 2.

Justin scrunched himself further onto his bunk, trying to avoid contact with the cockroaches. He’d been sitting here for ages now, waiting, waiting for someone to come help him out. But they didn’t, no one came, not even Cameron. Shows how much they love me, Justin thought grumpily, and pulled his knees closer to his chin.
He knew that he shouldn’t have helped Lance out, it was the wrong choice. But at the time it had seemed right, he’d just wanted out help out a friend. But things had changed once Lance had relayed his true plans to him.
At first, Justin had really thought Lance had gone to Russia, until he bumped into him a few days later. Justin had been shocked, and when he’d asked Lance what had gone on, Lance had broke down and told him his true feelings about being in the group.
Justin had been sad for Lance, once upon a time, so he decided to help. Whatever his friend needed he would give him. But then Justin saw a chance for himself too, AJ Mclean.
AJ was the kind of guy Justin wanted to be like, always able to fit in and out of the spot light, a thing Justin never had. So when Lance had decided to take Nick’s place in Backstreet, Justin thought why not? He thought he could take AJ’s place, just had Lance had Nick’s, and pretend to be someone he wasn’t and it would make him happier. But once he got involved in the plan, including help kill Nick, his thoughts changed.
Justin knew after he’d killed Nick that it was not right, but he couldn’t back out then because Lance had already become Nick. But as Lance gained Nick’s looks he began to gain his attitude as well. Lance had told Justin of how AJ had begun to be nice to him, but then turned on him. It was then that Lance began to push for Justin to get AJ out of the picture quicker. It was when Lance had locked AJ up in the room with the dead body that Justin’s mind had begun to change about the idea and before he could back out Chris had called the cops on them.
Justin growled even more, but jumped as he felt a cockroach crawl near his feet. Bloody cockroaches, Justin thought and decided to sit up. He spread himself up, and looked around wondering where Lance had been taken to. Most probably the psych ward, Justin thought and snickered at the thought, the way Lance had been acting lately he deserved it.
Just then the warden who had taken Lance away came back and unlocked the cell door, “Okay Timberlake time to go.” The warden walked over to Justin and pulled him to his feet, handcuffing him as he did so.
“Where we going?” Justin asked confused and the warden gave him a spiteful look.
“Don’t act like you don’t know Timberlake,” the warden said and roughly dragged Justin out of the cell. “It’s time for court remember?”
Justin looked at him, damn he’d forgotten. Has it been that long? Justin thought, have I really been locked up in here for a week? Damn where does the time go?

As Justin entered the court room he felt a hundred eyes on him, and it made him feel like shit. The warden pushed and shoved him over to the bench where a man in a preppy blue suit stood.
“Mr Timberlake?” The man asked gruffly holding his hand out for Justin. “I’m your lawyer, Jack Petter.”
Justin looked at Jack Petter and shook his head, “I don’t remember asking for a lawyer.”
Mr. Petter shook his head and shrugged, “Sorry but the court called me saying you needed a lawyer that you’d refused to take one.”
“I didn’t refuse, they refused to let me call my lawyer,” Justin said spitefully and the warden whacked him on the head. “Ow!”
“Behave Timberlake!” The warden hissed in his ear and shoved him to go stand next to Mr. Petter. “Be grateful that someone is willing to help you out!” Justin threw him a dirty look but didn’t argue, he just went and stood quietly next to the lawyer as the judge entered the room.
As the judge took his seat Justin scanned the room, he saw the rest of the guys sitting as far away from him as they could possibly get, and he sighed. He wished they would support him, but they obviously didn’t. I bet Lance had something to do with that, he thought bitterly as his eyes saw Lance and he scowled.
Lance saw Justin looking at him, and just turned a blind eye as they were ordered to sit. Justin sat, and felt his hands becoming sweatier by the minute as the details of their case was being read out.
He looked over his shoulder and in the corner of the room, way back he saw Backstreet, looking worn out and tired. Justin shook his head feeling guilty as to what had happened, but there was nothing he could do about it. He sighed again and just as he was about to turn away, he noticed something, AJ was missing. I wonder what happened to Mclean Justin thought to himself. He didn’t have much time to think about that because the case begun and he soon found himself being called up as the first to testify.

AJ, at that time, was not at home, or anywhere else for that matter. He was in St George’s Hospital. He never in his wildest dreams thought he’d be the one there, he always thought it would be Nick. But Nick was dead, and AJ wasn’t, he was just crazy.
The night after he had been locked up in the room with the dead Nick, he found he couldn’t sleep. He always had recurring nightmares where Nick would come back, and haunt him. Or he’d dream he was in that room again, with dead bodies, dead bodies of all his friends. He was a mess, and it was all thanks to Lance.
AJ hauled himself into a corner of his small room and tried not to think about Nick and the court case that was happening today. He knew that Lance and Justin should be put behind bars, but something made him doubt it. There was a look in Kevin’s eye the days after Lance was arrested that made him doubt.
Two days ago Brian had come to see him along with Kevin and Howie and they had explained the events of the past few days. They’d told him that Lance and Justin had turned on each other, and the court case was today. They also said they were going to press full charges, and wanted AJ to testify. At first AJ declined but he was talked into it by Howie.
So AJ sat in his corner, wondering how he would explain what had happened, what he had seen. Everything had been so unexpected for him. He had not expected to find Nick dead in that room, he had thought it was a prank.
What is wrong with those two? AJ asked himself, he felt himself getting sick at the thought of Justin and Lance. Especially Lance, who now looked like a dead person. AJ thought Lance must have been pretty screwed up to want to be Nick, and gone to such lengths as to make himself look like a dead person.
And I thought I was crazy, AJ thought, they should put him in here, then it’ll be a story. He smiled softly to himself, yes Lance should be in here, getting help for his fucked up problems. AJ sighed and shook his head, he hoped and prayed that they found them guilty so he wouldn’t have to testify and relive that horrible day. Maybe then, he thought, they’ll lock Bass in here and let me out.
A few minutes later the door opened, and a heavy set man was standing before him, AJ groaned. “What do they want me for now Dan?”
The man, Dan, looked at AJ sternly and walked over to him, pulling him up by one arm. “Come on AJ, you know the rules. Group therapy in five minutes or you’ll be late,” Dan said and AJ sighed. Fuck, he’d forgotten about that. He hated group therapy, because he really didn’t feel like he should share his problems with complete strangers, it was hard enough sharing with his psychologist alone.
“Fine,” AJ mumbled, knowing full and well he would not be able to get out of it.
“Good,” Dan said and looked at AJ with concern. “What’s wrong? Worried about tomorrow?” AJ half smiled, if there was one thing he had to give Dan was his concern for AJ.
“Yeah I guess,” AJ replied as Dan let go of his arm and he followed him into the hallway.
“I know it must be hard for you,” Dan said, “But maybe group will help you sort out what you’re going to say?” AJ just shrugged.
“Maybe,” he said, but he highly doubted it. How could anyone in his position explain the fact that he’d been locked up in a room with a dead guy who was sitting in the room with them living and breathing? They would think he was crazy.
Part 3 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 3.

The court room was so quiet you could hear a pin dropping on the hard wooden floors but the only thing that was on Brian’s mind was how AJ would handle himself that day and not be thought of as crazy.
“So Mr. Mclean, can you point out the two men who locked you up in the room with the body?” Mr Karma, Lance’s lawyer asked AJ. AJ, who had been up there for a good five minutes now telling what he experienced, merely nodded and pointed to Justin and Lance without many words. “Thank you Mr Mclean and can you tell me who these two men are?”
AJ rolled his eyes and Brian chuckled, still the same old AJ who hated dumb questions. “That one over there is Justin and the other one is Lance,” AJ said sarcastically and glared at Lance who resembled Nick.
“Thank you. What did you think when you first realized that Mr. Bass was in fact Mr. Bass and not your friend Nick?” Mr Karma asked and AJ just shrugged.
“I was baffled, but I knew that there was something amiss with him when he claimed that D hated him, which is not the case,” AJ replied and Mr. Karma nodded.
“I see, but didn’t Mr Dorough act differently towards Mr. Bass? Even though at the time you did not know he was who he claimed to be?” Mr. Karma asked and AJ shook his head.
“Hell no. D knew it wasn’t Nick from the beginning that’s why he acted how he did. If it had been Nick, he wouldn’t have treated Bass like shit, but Bass wasn’t Nick now was he?” AJ replied and Mr. Karma looked at AJ with shock at his sudden outburst.
“No, but what other clues did you have to conclude that Mr. Bass was not Nick?” the lawyer asked and AJ glared angrily at Lance.
“Well for starters when Rok went to re-confirm that Nick was in fact dead at the morgue where his body was it was conveniently moved and they told us we weren’t allowed to know where they took the body,” AJ snapped, Brian could tell he was still angry with the whole body moving scenario. The court room went into frenzy as this information was brought up, and everyone knew that Lance had not told anyone about the moving of the body especially his lawyer. Lance looked around him, and Chris glared at Lance in shock.
“Your honour,” the lawyer, whom Nick’s mother had hired for the Carter family, said, “This is all new information to the defence we did not know of the moving of a body.”
“Right Mr Haulm. Mr Karma and Mr Petter, your clients have kept important information from the court please address the issue quickly,” the judge said and the other two lawyers nodded and conferred with their respective clients.
“Your honour, my client did not know about the moving of a body,” Mr Petter replied and the judge looked at him doubtfully but gave him the benefit of the doubt.
“And Mr Karma?” the judge asked. Mr Karma looked up and approached the bench; he whispered some words to the judge who nodded and sent Mr. Karma back to his seat. “You may precede questioning Mr. Karma, so long as it shows how this evidence is known by Mr Bass.” Mr, Karma nodded and continued to question AJ as soon as the courtroom quietened down.
“Mr Mclean, why was Mr Littrell told he could not know where Nick’s body was moved? My records show there is no moving of a body to any other morgue,” Mr. Karma asked now curious as to why Lance had lied to him.
“We weren’t on a bloody list,” AJ said point blank and Mr. Karma’s eyes went wide.
“What list?” Mr. Karma asked, and AJ looked at him.
“Why don’t you ask your client?” AJ snapped back, “Apparently we had to be on some freaking list to know where our friend was taken, a list they claimed that the family had set up so no one would know where the body was.”
“Objection your honour,” Mr Haulm interrupted. “Mrs Carter said that she never was contacted by a morgue as to the death of her son.”
“Understood, Mr Mclean what is your answer to that?” the judge asked AJ and AJ rolled his eyes.
“I know that, Jane was talking to Bass thinking he was Nick, so of course she didn’t know anything about Nick being dead, we hadn’t even told her because we weren’t sure. I mean come on, if we told her that her son was dead and the next minute he showed up, she’d think we were crazy,” AJ replied and the judge nodded.
“Makes sense. Please Mr Karma continue your questioning,” the judge said and Mr Karma nodded.
“So Mr Mclean, when you saw the body in the room what was you first thought?” Mr Karma asked AJ and AJ just shrugged.
“I don’t know, I guess I was just freaked. Wouldn’t you be if you were locked in a room with a dead body of your friend who locked you in the room to begin with?” AJ asked and Mr Karma nodded.
“I guess I would be,” the lawyer replied and AJ nodded in agreement. “Were you shocked when you saw Mr. Bass’ accomplice for the first time?” Mr Karma finally asked, not knowing where to go from there and AJ nodded.
“Yup. I was shell shocked. But I guess I should have expected it from him,” AJ replied, “After all he is Justin Timberlake.”

They spent the majority of that day questioning Lance and Justin about the fact that Nick’s body was moved and that it was against the law to do so if you were not related to the deceased. By the end of the day, Brian and Kevin along with Howie were waiting outside the court house saying good bye to AJ, who was going back to St. George’s, they were all tired.
“I can’t believe Bass and Timberlake would lie like that to the court,” AJ stated as he took a drag of the cigarette in his hand. Brain nodded and Kevin looked at them.
“Well what do you expect?” Kevin asked, “I mean if you were them would you tell the truth if you were in his shoes?”
“I wouldn’t,” Howie stated, shocking everyone. Brian looked at Howie with surprised.
“What do you mean D?” Brian asked and Howie shrugged.
“Look at it Rok. If Lance told the truth he would be in deeper shit than he was already in, if I were him I would not want that on my head,” Howie replied simply and they fell silent for a while.
“I wish Nicky were alive,” AJ said after a while and finishing off his cigarette.
“Yeah well he’s not. Thanks to Bass and Timberlake,” Kevin stated bluntly and AJ just shrugged stubbing out his cigarette.
“Bone is right, if Nicky were alive he could prove just how crazy those two are so they can pay for what they did,” Brian said bitterly to his cousin.
“Yeah and maybe then I wouldn’t be the one in the psych ward,” AJ said sadly and before anyone could say anything more Dan walked over.
“Hey AJ, you ready to go?” Dan asked softly and nodded to the other three.
AJ looked at his friends and nodded, “Yeah sure. Bye guys, see you when I get out?”
“Bye Bone, we’ll definitely come see you soon,” Brian replied for them and Howie and Kevin nodded in agreement. They all said their goodbyes and then AJ was dragged away from them and into an unmarked white van that was driven away.
“Poor Bone,” Howie said once the van had disappeared around the corner and Kevin and Brian both nodded.
“Yeah D. I hope they find those two guilty and crazy so we can get Bone back,” Brian replied not taking his eyes from the direction the van had gone.
“Let’s go,” Kevin said and Brian and Howie looked at him curiously. “I’m going to figure out the truth.”
“Kev, shouldn’t we leave that up to the authorities?” Brian asked his cousin sceptically and Kevin glared at his cousin.
“Why? So that we will never find out what really happened to Nicky? Well you can wait cus but I ain’t,” Kevin snapped and with that he walked briskly away towards his car.
Brian looked at Howie who shrugged. “What you think D?” Brian asked and Howie nodded.
“I think he’s right,” Howie said and Brian just looked at Howie.
“You’re serious?” Brian asked and Howie nodded.
“Yeah I am. I man come on Rok, don’t you want to find out what really happened to Nicky?” Howie asked and Brian thought about this.
“Yeah I guess you’re right,” he said after a while. “Come on D; let’s help Kev find the truth.”
Part 4 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 4.

“You moved the body? Without telling me?” Justin asked, or rather yelled, at Lance after the hearing was over. Justin was so shocked that Lance had moved the body and didn’t tell his lawyer or Justin for that matter, that he pleaded with the warden to let him talk to Lance. After all he felt he had a right.
“Of course I moved it,” Lance replied sounding eerily calm and Justin looked at him shocked. He leaned closer to his friend.
“What do you mean of course?” Justin snapped in a whisper and Lance glared at him.
“I did it so that we wouldn’t get caught, so that Backstreet wouldn’t get much more suspicious than they already were,” Lance snapped back and Justin just shook his head.
“Yeah, well we were caught,” Justin replied running a cuffed hand through his rough curls.
“Yeah well that’s not my fault. If you had just followed the plan…” Lance began but Justin cut him off. He didn’t want to be blamed again for this.
“No Bass, don’t give me that shit. Acting as if it was my fault, you screwed up one too many times, face the facts,” Justin interrupted and looked steely at Lance.
“Yeah well you didn’t help the situation,” Lance spat back and glared at Justin.
“Bass…” Justin warned but stopped, what was the point? He was fighting a lost cause, there was no point because Lance would just spur out another story, another story Justin really didn’t want to hear.
“What Timberlake? What?” Lance asked looking at Justin with annoyance. “Did you finally realize that I did something good for us?”
Justin looked at Lance and rolled his eyes. “No, I just realized how stupid you really were. How could you move the body without telling your lawyer? Now we’re going to be in even bigger shit thanks to you.”
“Justin, we are already in shit. Maybe you should face that fact first before anything else. Realize that we aren’t getting out of here, EVER. So whether or not I told that lawyer that Chris hooked me up with doesn’t matter,” Lance replied and Justin looked at his friend.
“Yeah well I’m not supposed to be in here forever. I made a mistake of helping you. Look where that got me, if I thought I had even the slightest chance of getting out of here it was ruined thanks to you,” Justin said and Lance smiled coyly.
“No problem,” Lance replied with a little too much attitude and Justin rolled his eyes again.
“I don’t think you quite get it Bass,” Justin said sitting back down opposite Lance. “Because you didn’t bother to tell me or anyone else for that matter about the moving of that body my life has just become worse. That means I am going to be charged with lying to the court which is another felony I just don’t need thank you.”
“Well news flash Justin, I’m in the same boat,” Lance replied waving a hand in front of Justin’s face and Justin batted it away.
“No you’re not. You got it worse. Not only did you make life for me worse, you made your life worse too. Congratulations Bass, in one swift move you’ve managed to ruin us,” Justin snapped and Lance glared at him.
“Yeah well you helped. And frankly I don’t give a shit. Because unlike you, I have realized that what we did was wrong and there is nothing that I can do or say now that will change that,” Lance replied standing up. Justin grabbed Lance’s arm and forced him to sit down again.
“Wrong?” Justin echoed as Lance sat down opposite him again. “Bass, what you did was unforgivable yes. But we had our reasons, and they were good.”
“Oh come on Timberlake. Do you seriously believe that? We had a good reason to kill Carter?” Lance asked rolling his eyes. He had been able to see over the past few days that what he had done had no good reasons, thanks to Chris.
“Yes we did. You felt undermined by the rest of us and I didn’t help. So you wanted to leave us and join Backstreet,” Justin said using Lance’s own explanation to convince him. Lance shook his head at Justin.
“Yes, but now I realize that I was wrong. You guys all cared about me I just couldn’t see it. I mean, if you didn’t care about me you wouldn’t help me out with the plan would you? And Chris wouldn’t have gotten me a lawyer, when I obviously didn’t need one,” Lance replied and Justin looked suspiciously at his friend.
“Lance, right now you need a lawyer, more than ever don’t forget that,” Justin said suddenly sympathizing with Lance once he realized his friend had lost all hope of everything.
Once again Lance shook his head, “Yeah but it won’t do me any good. We both know that. I killed Carter, and I’m guilty. End of story.”

“So you want to know how Mr. Carter really died?” the man in a white lab coat asked Brian, Kevin and Howie as they stood in the lab where Nick’s body had been taken for an autopsy report after the cops had arrested Lance and Justin.
“Yeah, can you tell us anything?” Howie asked taking control of the situation. “We were told you were the man to go to, since you were in charge of the autopsy.”
The man looked at the three of them and nodded meekly. “You were informed correctly,” he said. “I’m Harold Panzer by the way.”
“We know Mr. Panzer,” Kevin interjected, “We’re friends of Nick.”
“Call me Harold,” Harold said and the three men nodded. “So you’re friends of Mr. Carter?”
“Yeah, we were in a band with him, the Backstreet Boys?” Howie asked and Harold nodded in acknowledgement.
“Yes, but aren’t there five of you? Sorry my daughter is a huge fan that’s mainly why I took the case, to ease her mind. She wanted to know why her favorite Backstreet Boy had died,” Harold said as he looked at the three of them apologetically.
“That’s what we want to know too,” Kevin replied, “We were five, then Nick died and well AJ went a bit crazy after he was locked in a room with Nick, the dead Nick that is.” Howie glared at Kevin angrily as he called AJ crazy to Harold but decided not to say anything until they had found out about Nick.
“Well I really can’t tell you much than you already know. Mr. Carter died from acute asphyxiation as far as we can tell. But there are some unusual marks on his body that brought up suspicions that we are working on,” Harold said.
“Those are probably Nick’s tattoos,” Brain said, knowing Nick had a few tattoos that Harold may have mistaken for ‘unmarked marks.’
Harold shook his head, “No we saw the tattoos yes, wonderful works of art. But these marks were more like bruises.”
“Bruises?” Kevin repeated wondering why on earth Nick would have bruises on his body. “Were they from when his body was moved?”
“No, these look a lot older than that, we’re guessing they were formed during a struggle of some sort,” Harold replied shaking his head.
“So Nicky was attacked, by Lance?” Howie asked and Harold looked at him.
“Well I couldn’t say exactly that, but yes,” Harold replied and looked towards where a body lay on a stretcher covered in a white cloth. “Mr. Carter was attacked and then killed.”
Part 5 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 5.

“I can’t believe Nicky was strangled,” Kevin said as they walked out of the building and headed towards their cars. Brian just sighed in agreement and Howie looked at him.
“I can’t believe you told that guy AJ was crazy, how could you say that?” Howie asked, he’d decided to air his concerns about Kevin’s ruthlessness towards AJ now.
“I didn’t say Bone was crazy, I said he went crazy. I didn’t mean he is actually mad or anything, just what he had experienced,” Kevin reasoned and Howie sighed, he knew there was no point arguing.
“Who cares guys?” Brian said after a while. “All that matters now is that we know Nicky was either strangled to death or choked on something, I’m going with the strangulation.”
“Yeah, unless he choked on a piece of pizza,” Howie said trying to lighten the mood, both Brian and Kevin and Kevin glared at him. “What? I was kidding guys, trying to lighten the mood?” Howie once seeing their looks and threw his hands up in defence.
“That was so not funny man,” Kevin said, “That’s why he died in the first place, because we wanted pizza.”
“Yeah, but it was his idea to get pizza that night,” Brian interjected, “We were all so darn hungry we just went along with it.”
“Yeah, only we didn’t know then that we should have stopped him. So what now?” Kevin asked as they reached their cars.
Brian shrugged and looked at the other two. “We wait?”
“Wait for what?” Howie asked as he opened up his doors to let himself and Brian in.
“For the autopsy report to be completed?” Brian asked unsure of what Howie wanted him to say.
“Yeah I guess we could,” Kevin replied nodding and opening up his own car doors. “But it maybe too late by then.”
“Yeah,” Howie agreed and Brian looked at the two of them.
“What do you mean?” Brian asked, although he already knew the answer.
“I mean, by the time the autopsy is completed Bass and Timberlake could be home free by then,” Kevin replied but Brian shook his head.
Brian looked at his cousin then at Howie, “Some how I highly doubt that.”

AJ woke up in a sweat; he panicked after he wondered where in hells name he was. Then he remembered, he was in a psych ward. He groaned and leaned back on the head board as he thought about the dream he’d just had.
It was pretty much the same as the others, only this time Nick had told him some pretty whacked out things. AJ sighed and thought about his friend. It was weird how Nick turned out to be Lance, it was even weirder what Nick had said to him in his dream. It was as if Nick was with him and listening to everything that had been going on.
AJ shook his head and realized that he couldn’t go back to sleep, so he got out of bed and walked to the window. He looked out and up into the starry sky, knowing that somewhere up in the vastness of the sky Nick was looking down on his friends, most probably saddened by the events of the past few days.
“So Nicky,” AJ said to the empty room and to the sky. “Guess you’ll still be around for longer than we expected huh?” There was no answer, obviously, but the wind ruffled outside as if Nick had heard him and AJ forced himself a smile. “That’s what I thought,” he mumbled and gazed out for a bit longer. “Don’t worry I’ll tell the others, I’ll let them know real well.”

Brain looked at the phone as if it had gone mad and blinked a few more times. He was beginning to wonder if Kevin had been right about AJ going crazy.
“Who was that?” Howie asked as they sat on the couch watching the news Brian didn’t answer for a while as he tried to figure out what to tell Howie. “Rok?” Brian snapped his head up and looked at Howie.
“That was Bone,” Brian said, he was beginning to feel as if he was the only one getting strange phone calls from his friends.
“Yeah? How is he?” Howie asked as he changed the channels.
“I think he’s mad,” Brian replied and Howie glared at Brian in annoyance.
“Wow, you two cousins really have no faith in Bone,” Howie replied with a bit of annoyance in his voice.
Brian rolled his eyes and looked at Howie. “It’s not like that dude. He just told me Nicky spoke to him in his dream,” Brian said and Howie looked at Brian as if he was insane.
“What? How can that be, Nick’s dead he can’t talk to anyone,” Howie said and Brian shook his head.
“Apparently he can. He can talk to Bone,” Brian replied, just then Kevin walked in catching the last of his cousin’s words.
“Who can talk to Bone?” Kevin asked sitting down next to Brian and looking at the other two inquisitively.
“Rok just got a call from Bone,” Howie said and looked at Brian. “Tell him Rok.”
“Well..” Brian began knowing that whatever he said next his cousin would think he was mad. “Bone claimed Nicky spoke to him in his dream.”
“What did Nick say?” Kevin asked shocked and both Howie and Brian looked at him.
“Aren’t you surprised that Bone is speaking to Nicky in his dreams?” Howie asked ad Kevin nodded.
“Yeah, but I also want to know what Nicky told him that made Bone feels as if it was so important to tell us,” Kevin replied and looked at his cousin waiting for an answer.
“Well you guys will just think its crazy,” Brian said holding his hands up in defence and Howie looked at him.
“We already think this whole thing is crazy Rok,” Howie said and Brian nodded.
“Okay then,” he sighed, “Give me a sec to figure it all out ok?” Both Kevin and Howie nodded and watched as Brian closed his eyes and began to figure out how to tell them of what AJ had just said. They would definitely think AJ was mad, and not to mention they would also think Brian as mad which was something he really didn’t want.
“Rok? Howie asked.
“Cus?” Kevin also asked and Brian slowly opened his eyes and looked between Kevin and Howie.
“Are you sure you want to hear this?” Brian asked and they both nodded, they were definite.
“Definitely,” Kevin said, “It’s important.”
“Okay then, don’t say I didn’t warn you. But when I’m done just don’t go calling me and Bone crazy ok?” Brian asked and both his friends nodded in agreement.
“So what did Bone say Nicky told him?” Howie asked.
Brian looked between his friends, and down at his shoes before answering, “He told Bone how he was murdered.”
Part 6 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 6.

“What are you serious?” Kevin asked his cousin looking at Brian in utter shock. “And what did Nicky say?” Brian shrugged, unsure of how to answer that question without looking crazy.
“He said..” Brian began but Howie cut him off.
“Well what? How is that possible Rok?” Howie asked baffled by the news Brian had just relayed to him and Kevin.
“D, let him explain..” Kevin said in a warning tone and Brian looked at his cousin thankfully. But Brain was still unsure of how to tell them of what he’d heard.
“Well… Brian began and swallowed hard, it was now or never. He had to risk sounding crazy. It was then that he began to relay to them exactly what Nick and told AJ in his dream, when he was done both Kevin and Howie looked at Brian in shock, they didn’t think he was crazy. They were just horrified at how their young friend had died, and wondered how they would prove this to the court.


Nick could smell the smell of the pizza and tried not to attack it as his stomach wanted him to do, he’d wait until he got home and ate it with his friends. He walked along the street trying to find a cab to take him back to the mansion, because he definitely was not walking all that way with two large pepperoni pizzas.
He walked a little further, and as he did so he hummed along to the tune of “Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely” and smiled to himself. The memories of that song were still clear in his mind, it had been his favourite song to adapt to music video so far. He remembered that day because it had been a strong day for all of them, emotionally, especially Kevin and Howie who had both lost family members.
Nick hummed a bit more and walked on, as he got further and further down the street he began to become annoyed, there were no cabs in sight. What was it with this city? He looked around him and as he did so he caught, out of the corner of his eye, a familiar looking figure standing in the shadows.
“Hey man you okay?” Nick asked the figure as he walked closer, the figure looked distraught and Nick thought he should help.
The figure just shrugged and Nick took another step closer and tried again.
“Dude, what’s up?” Nick asked beginning to get worried. Again the figure shrugged and Nick sighed. “Well seeing as you’re not answering me, I’ll just go then ok?”
Nick waited for the figure to answer but there was no reply, so he just shrugged and turned around and began to walk away. It was then that it happened. He was struck from behind and felt himself fall to the ground and the pizza boxes falling from his grasp. Before Nick knew what was happening, he had passed out.


AJ woke up again in a sweat. The dream he had this time was not like the other ones. In this one he was an observer, rather than being involved. He SAW what Nick went through, and every time he thought about it his feet would become cold as ice.
AJ sighed and pulled the sheets to his neck, he found himself thinking about who the person in the shadows had been. The figure was so familiar to him, yet so distant. Where had he seen him before? AJ shivered at the familiarity of the person and closed his eyes to try and go back to sleep. But he couldn’t sleep, he wouldn’t allow himself to, he kept on having images of Nick in that deserted street, it was too haunting.
AJ sat up and reached towards his bedside and grabbed his journal where he put all his thoughts in and began to write. He wrote it all down, his feelings about Nick, what he saw, what had happened and why he felt it had happened. He also wrote down his experiences in the past few days, and how they were connected to the dream. As he finished AJ closed the book and put it back in the drawer. He smiled in satisfaction to himself and lay back down feeling a lot better. He closed his eyes and went back to sleep, tomorrow he would talk about the dream but for now he was going to sleep and try not to think about Nick.

Justin yawned as he woke up the next day and shuddered. Fuck, another day in court, Justin thought to himself and stretched. His body ached from sleeping on these horrible prison beds and he wished this would all be over so he could go back to his nice warm bed with Cameron. But as Justin woke up he realized that that would never happen, because Lance was dumb enough to move Nick Carter’s body.
Justin shook his head and got up, he stood up to his full six feet and looked around him. He wondered what time it was and how long he’d have to wait before he could shower and get ready for court. A part of him wanted it to be over and done with, the other part really didn’t want the court time to come.
As Justin walked around his cell to get his muscles working he thought about the fact that today he was going to court for a whole different reason than what he had been put here for, for lying to the court. He hadn’t lied to the court, he hadn’t even known that Lance had moved the body that was until that night. But even then he’d thought that it had been a fake body, just to scare Mclean. Justin had thought that Lance had put a fake body in the room and kept Nick’s real body in the morgue for safety, but obviously he’d thought wrong.
What Justin couldn’t understand was why Lance would really move it. Yes he’d said it was so that they wouldn’t be caught but they were weren’t they? Justin shook his head and sat back down as he waited for the warden to come and lead him to the dinning room.
He wondered what had gone wrong, really wrong. He and Lance had had such a good plan, then Backstreet had become suspicious and gotten all the other guys involved and now they hated him. Just because Justin had wanted to help out his friend.
Justin leaned back on the bed and sighed, things were fucked up, and they really were. And now he had to go and prove to the court that he really hadn’t known about the moving of the body, but he highly doubted anyone would believe him. If Lance had anything to do with it, they’d believe it was all Justin’s bloody idea and that was something Justin really didn’t want.

Lance sat next to Mr. Karma in court and looked around him. All the guys were there, and this time they were scowling at him. The bit of sympathy he had been getting for the past few days had suddenly evaporated and had been replaced by scorn.
He sighed and tried to focus his attention on what Mr. Karma was saying. “So what are you going to tell the court?” Mr. Karma whispered in his ear and Lance just shrugged. What the fuck was he supposed to say? He had no clue.
“I don’t know,” Lance whispered back and Mr. Karma glared at him.
“Yeah well you’d better think of something. Whose idea was it to move the body anyways and why didn’t you tell me?” Mr Karma asked and Lance looked at his lawyer. Why didn’t he tell him? Well because of this, and thanks to McLean this was happening. If Mclean hadn’t let it slip about the moving of the body they wouldn’t be here would they?
Again he shrugged. “Because I was afraid this would happen,” Lance mumbled and Mr. Karma rolled his eyes.
“Yes well it was bound to come out sooner or later. Whose idea was it to move the body anyway; don’t you know that’s a federal offence?” Mr. Karma asked and Lance groaned. Great, another burden to take on. Lance shook his head and wished he didn’t have to take that on, what with all the other shit that was going on already.
Lance looked across the room at Justin, and saw Justin sitting in his chair staring aimlessly ahead of him. Lance felt himself getting jealous, at least Justin didn’t have to deal with as much shit as he. “Lance? Did you hear me? I asked whose idea it was to move the body,” Mr. Karma said interrupting Lance’s thoughts. Lance snapped out of it and turned to face his lawyer, a smile spread across his face as he came to the realization of what he was about to say.
“It was his idea,” Lance said and looked back at his friend. “It was all Justin’s idea, every single detail.”
Part 7 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 7.


Nick’s eyes opened slowly as he looked around him wondering where he was. He noticed a small window and not much else in the room. He also noticed two other people standing in the corner conversing. Nick squinted his eyes to make sure he wasn’t seeing things, either that or it was his concussion. Was he really seeing who he thought it was?
He looked down at his feet which were firmly tied and at the rest of his body, yup he was still here. But if that was so then who the fuck was that? He opened his mouth to try and speak but no words came out, that was odd he thought. He tried again with the same results, so instead he kicked around him hoping they would hear him which they did.
“Oh look who decided to join us,” the shorter of the two said as he and his friend walked over to Nick. At first Nick didn’t hear his voice, but after a few seconds it hit him. Oh my God, that’s my voice! Nick thought. He sounds just like me!
“Nice of you to come round Carter,” the second guy said and smiled evilly. He walked over to Nick and grabbed a golf club from the golf case that was standing by the wall. “Wanna play some golf?” The guy chuckled and Nick shook his head furiously as he realized what was about to take place.
“Come on man, leave him alone,” the guy with Nick’s voice said. Nick looked up to him in appreciation and as he did so Nick’s eyes went wide. The guy was standing next to his friend, and they were both close enough for Nick to see who they were. “Got a bit of a shock did you Carter?” The guy asked, “yeah so did I, it’s amazing how good the plastic surgeons in this town are they even got the voice down pat.”
“Yeah, even I was shocked. At first I thought it was you, but then I realized it wasn’t,” his friend replied and Nick stared at them in shock, they were nuts. Why would any one want to be him? Even he didn’t want to be him.
“I bet you’re wondering why right?” The guy with Nick’s looks and voice said and Nick nodded furiously. “Well…” but he was interrupted as the second guy took a swing of his club and it ‘accidentally’ hit Nick in the face. Nick went out cold.


“Okay, so that was Harold,” Brian said as he hung up the phone and looked at Howie and Kevin. “Looks like Nicky was whacked in the face with something, they’re trying to figure out what.
“Yeah, I was wondering why his nose had looked so crooked,” Howie said as he recalled the night when they had gone to identify Nick’s body. It all seemed to be falling into place now.
“Nicky’s nose has always been a bit funny looking,” Kevin said in affection and both Brian and Howie couldn’t help but smile at the old joke that Kevin used to give to Nick.
“No, but I mean it was way wonky, like more than usual,” Howie said and Brian nodded in agreement.
“It was D, you’re right,” Brian replied and walked over to the closest and pulled out his coat.
“What you doing rok?” Howie asked, he was not in the mood for another Brian adventure.
“I’m going to visit Bone,” Brian said and Kevin got up from his seat and followed Brian suit.
“That’s a great idea rok, I’m sure he’s getting lonely without us,” Kevin said and both he and Brian looked at Howie.
“Okay, I’m coming, I’m coming,” Howie grumbled, he didn’t want to have to see his friend in a place like St George’s the last time had been a bit too much for him, but he knew it had to be done.
“I think he should know what we’ve found out from the autopsy,” Brian said as they headed out the door, “After all he’s the one who’s been having all those strange Nick dreams.”
“You’re right rok,” Howie said a bit unenthusiastically, “I’m sure he’d love to know that Nick has a crooked nose.” Both Brian and Kevin laughed at Howie’s unintended joke, even though it was morbid it did have a sort of humor to it, even if Howie didn’t recognize it.

Justin felt like strangling someone, how could Lance blame him for the entire thing? Fuck, it was his bloody idea in the first place. Justin walked around his cell and tried not to scream, he had to think of a way to get out of this mess and quick. He had so much shit on his plate, he didn’t know if he should even bother but he knew that he had to try or else he’d be in here for good.
He had been so shocked, okay well not really, that Lance had said it was all his idea. But Justin should have expected it, I mean after all this was the guy who changed his looks and voice to become one of the Backstreet Boys. Who went to such extremes anymore? Justin shook his head and paced some more.
Next time I’m in a room with Bass, I swear I’m going to strangle him, Justin thought angrily. His minds raced and raced to try and find a way out of the mess that Lance had created for him. But every door he found seemed to be locked, and it was frustrating Justin to no end.
I should have known, Justin thought miserably as he gave up his pacing and sat back down on the broken prison bed. I should have known Bass would pin it on me, I’m so dumb really I am, why did I have to get involved? Smart move Timberlake. Justin chided himself and scrunched up his hands, how could Lance do this? Weren’t they supposed to be friends? But then Lance had always had a grudge against Justin, to no fault of his own.
It was then that Justin realized exactly what had gone wrong, he’d been too hard on Lance when they first started, way too hard. I should have been easier on the guy, Justin thought and sighed, he leaned back onto the bed and closed his eyes. Oh how he wished he could go back in time, then everything would be different. A lot different, he just knew it.

Lance smiled to himself as he lay in the tattered old bed of his cell. He smiled because he knew that in a mere matter of days he would be free. Free from this shit hole, free to go and make himself Lance once again, free to rid himself of Justin and these bloody looks that he had acquired for nothing.
That was my best idea yet, Lance thought as he closed his eyes and tried to remember when last he was happy. To blame Justin for everything sure did take a whole load of my shoulders, it was my one way ticket outta here. That or death. He sighed and wondered why he hadn’t thought of it sooner. Probably because he’d actually made himself believe that there was no way out.
But once Lance had seen Justin, sitting in that court room, with half the problems he had, once Justin had pointed out that yes Lance indeed had more shit to deal with, Lance knew that was his ticket to freedom. Blame Justin and get out, get out for good. Lance knew he wouldn’t get out right away, he knew that he’d have to at least spend a few years in here max, but he didn’t mind, he was willing to wait. He was willing to wait until he could leave, leave and forget all that had brought him here. He could forget the case, Justin and Nsync and he could be just Lance Bass from Mississippi.
Part 8 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 8.

“What do you mean Lance is not responsible?” Brian asked Mr. Haulm as they sat in the lawyer’s office a few days later. Mr. Haulm looked at Brian and just shrugged.
“Mr. Bass claims it was all Mr. Timberlake’s idea,” Mr. Haulm replied as he looked over his notes from the last court day. Brian stared at the lawyer in shock, unable to fathom what he’d just heard.
“But he looks just like Nick, he confessed to Chris that it was his fault, Justin even said so,” Brian said, he was sure that even though Justin was guilty Lance was even guiltier.
“Yes, Mr. Littrell but we have to take into consideration that there are no facts to back up the claim that Mr. Bass was behind the murder of Nick, it was just words said from witnesses including Mr. Timberlake, who lied in court,” Mr. Haulm replied, Brian shook his head.
“But so is that statement, it’s just Lance’s words, nothing more. Can’t you prove he was also involved?” Brian asked and the lawyer looked at him.
“And how do you propose I do that Mr. Littrell?” Mr. Haulm asked Brian just shrugged.
“I don’t know, you’re the lawyer here figure it out,” Brian said, he was getting a bit frustrated with this man who claimed to have the Carter’s best interests at heart.
“Well I can only try so far Mr. Littrell. Right now all we can do is hope there is some discriminatory evidence against the two that will lock them up for good,” Mr. Haulm replied as he leaned back in his chair and looked at Brian. Brian sighed and tried to think if there was anything lese missing.
“Well what about the autopsy report?” Brian asked and Mr. Haulm raised an eyebrow.
“Excuse me? What do you mean?” the lawyer asked and Brian shrugged.
“Well wouldn’t that prove anything? Like how Nick was murdered? If the court can find out how Nicky died then couldn’t they try and figure out who murdered him?” Brian asked, he felt as he was asking the same questions in circles.
“They could, but Mr. Littrell that takes a long time and there are many procedures involved,” Mr. Haulm replied and Brian felt annoyed.
“What procedures? Why does everyone keep telling me that? They need time? Well we don’t have time Mr. Haulm, Nicky’s murderers need to be brought to justice,” Brian said angrily and began to get out of his seat.
“Mr. Littrell please, I know you are upset but you throwing a temper tantrum right now is not going to solve matters. What was the information you said you wanted to give me? It seems like we have completely skipped the point of this meeting,” Mr. Haulm replied, his voice rising. Brain looked at the lawyer and shook his head in anger.
“Nothing, it’s nothing seeing as you obviously don’t wish to help anyone as long as you get paid by the end of the day,” Brain stated and began to leave.
“Mr. Littrell, please I wish to help,” Mr. Haulm said getting up from his desk. Brian stopped and turned to face the lawyer.
“Really?” Brian asked and the lawyer nodded. “Okay, well we went to get the autopsy report seeing as you didn’t feel it necessary.”
“You went for the autopsy? Who is we?” Mr. Haulm asked a bit annoyed at the information he was receiving, knowing it was an offence to go and collect court documents without the court’s approval.
“Me, Kevin and Howie and yes we got the report and I thought I’d share it with you but now I’m not too sure I should,” Brian replied, Mr. Haulm looked at him.
“Well Mr. Littrell..” he began but Brian stopped him.
“Yeah, they told us that Nicky was definitely murdered he was beat up then suffered from acute asphyxiation,” Brian retorted sounding rather pleased with himself that he’d remembered all that information.
“Oh my God, that is huge evidence,” Mr. Haulm replied sitting back at his desk and writing what Brian had just said. “This is big help, thank you Mr. Littrell.”
“Wait, so are you going to tell this to the court?” Brian asked suddenly interested and walked back over to the chair he’d just vacated and sat down on it.
“Well yes, but I have to go and collect the autopsy report myself from the lab, once that is done I will definitely be revealing the information,” Mr. Haulm replied, “You wouldn’t mind being our first witness would you? It’s so that the court would know we’re not making it up.”
Brian nodded, “Sure, anything to help Nicky will this help put Bass and Timberlake behind bars?”
“It could, it depends on what the full autopsy says but I’m betting it will,” Mr. Haulm said and smiled at Brian.
Brian smiled back, “Me too Mr. Haulm. Me too.”

Lance sighed, he felt like screaming. He knew his days of happiness were not to be long lasted. Of course the autopsy would show that bloody Justin whacked Carter in the face with the golf club, and of course it’d show that as they tried to feed him later the bloody idiot had choked. Damn, things just didn’t go down well for him did they?
Lance closed his eyes and counted to ten, as he heard Mr. Karma address the court. No matter what his lawyer said now there was no way Lance would get out of this. He shook his head, opened his eyes and looked across at Justin who scowled furiously at him. Justin hated him now, he was certain of that. Lance just sighed and as he was getting used to the idea of all this, the pictures of Carter’s dead body were displayed on the overheads.
Lance cringed, did he really do that to the poor bastard? Damn, he looked bad. He suddenly felt eyes on him as people looked at the pictures and then at Lance himself. It must have been strange for them to sit in the court looking at pictures of a dead man who sat in court with them.
“Holly shit,” Lance heard AJ say from the witness stand. Again Backstreet was being called to testify. The defence wanted AJ to tell them his dreams, the crazy dreams that the Backstreet boy was having. Lance didn’t listen to AJ talk though, he was just too damn sick with himself, how could he have done such things?

“Holly shit,” AJ said as soon as the pictures of Nick’s decapitated body were shown to the court. AJ felt sick, he’d dreamt abut what happened to Nick but he thought that they were just that, dreams not real.
I think I’m gonna be sick, AJ thought and glanced across the room and Lance who looked EXACTLY like Nick. That’s even stranger, AJ told himself. He gazed across the room to Brian who was thinking pretty much the same thing.
“So Mr. Mclean can you explain this to the court?” Mr. Haulm asked as he pointed a long ruler at one of the projected pictures. AJ looked at the picture closely, it showed Nick’s face and his broken nose, and AJ wondered if he should tell the court about his dream.
“Well I wasn’t there when Nick was killed was I?” AJ decided to say and glared at both Justin and Lance. Mr. Haulm sighed and shook his head.
“No, but your psychologist, Ms Libbie, said you have been having some strange dreams that could help us. Would you like to elaborate on that?” Mr. Haulm said and AJ rolled his eyes. He doubted that Ms. Libbie, or Angie as he knew her, had told the lawyer any of that. He was sure one of the others had said something.
“What do you wanna know?” AJ asked trying to still figure out what the fuck he should say.
Mr. Haulm looked at him, “What were your dreams about Mr. Mclean?” AJ groaned and looked around the room, he could feel everyone’s eyes on him thinking he was crazy. “Mr. Mclean?”
“Wha…? Oh yeah sorry, well um…” AJ began but stopped unsure of how to make himself sound logical. “In my dreams I saw Nick, and he was being killed.” There he said it, he looked like a moron, and he knew it. He glanced around the room and saw everyone staring at him as if he’d gone mad.
“What? How is that possible?” Mr. Karma asked and AJ looked at the judge.
“Mr. Karma, it is not you turn to ask the witness questions, please refrain yourself. Please continue Mr. Mclean,” the judge said and AJ nodded meekly.
“Well that was only sometimes,” AJ added quickly, Mr. Haulm looked at him.
“What do you mean Mr. Mclean if you don’t mind?” Mr. Haulm asked, AJ shook his head.
“Sometimes…” he began and took a deep breath in. “Nicky would come into my dreams and tell me, rather than show me, how he was killed but mostly he’d show me.”
“And how was that?” Mr. Haulm asked. AJ shook his head and closed his eyes, now he knew he had to tell them, no matter what.
Part 9 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 9.


Lance stared at Justin and back at Nick, who was lying on the floor unconscious. “Smart move Timberlake,” Lance hissed and knelt over to check Nick’s pulse. There still was one, thank God Carter wasn’t dead.
Justin scowled back at Lance and flung the golf club over his shoulder. “At least he’s not dead, right?” Justin asked, Lance looked up at him and scowled.
“Thankfully no, you’re lucky or else we’d both be in shit,” Lance replied. He stood back up and walked to the other end of the room, with Justin close behind.
“So what do we do now?” Justin asked, as far as he was concerned this was Lance’s plan so he should fix it. They reached the corner of the room where there was a small sink and Lance soaked a towel in some cold water before turning and facing Justin.
“We try and wake him up, fed him, then get this plan back on the road. Without any mistakes, you got that?” Lance asked and Justin nodded numbly.
“So are we still gonna keep him tied up in here?” Justin asked, Lance rolled his eyes and began walking back towards Nick’s body.
“What do you think? Of course, because if we let him go the plan will be ruined,” Lance replied and Justin looked at him.
“So we’re not going to kill him?” Justin asked, Lance shook his head as he bent down near Nick.
“No, he’s way too valuable. We can keep him here tied up until a few days before the others expect me back from Russia, then we change him to be me,” Lance replied as he cleaned up the blood pouring from Nick’s nose so he wouldn’t choke.
“What about the other plan? With Mclean?” Justin asked watching Lance intently. Lance turned and looked at Justin.
“That plan will be set into motion a few days after I am sure I’m in,” Lance replied and got up dusting himself off. “Okay, I better go and get the pizzas back to Backstreet before anyone suspects anything.”
“Yeah, but you better get a new batch, when we knocked him out the old ones got ruined,” Justin replied, Lance nodded.
“Sure thing,” he said and dusted himself off. “What was on those pizzas again?” Justin shrugged, not remembering and Lance sighed. “Okay, I’ll go get the pizza, I’ll see you at the awards ceremony in a few days. In the meantime try not to do anything stupid okay?”


“Bone?” Brian asked AJ as they stood outside the court room. AJ had panicked after he’d been asked to recall his horrifying dream that Brian offered to pull him outside for some fresh air.
“Yeah? Sorry rok, it was just hard you know? Seeing Nicky go through what those sickos did,” AJ replied, Brian nodded and rubbed his friend’s back.
“I know it must be hard,” Brian replied, “Just take your own time.” AJ smiled in appreciation and tried to recollect his thoughts. But it was so hard because every time he would end up seeing the scene, over and over again in his head.
“I don’t know how long it will take..” AJ began, and Brian nodded again in understanding.
“You want me to go in there and tell them we need to resume tomorrow?” Brian asked his friend gently AJ shook his head and took a few more deep breaths in.
“Okay rok,” he said after a while, “I think I’m ready. Let’s go finish this thing once and for all.”

Lance felt his breath quickening, only a few hours now and his life would be over. He couldn’t have that, he didn’t want that. With the evidence behind Nick’s death all into place Lance knew he was the one who would be put behind bars longer than Justin.
He sighed and stole a glace across the room. Justin also looked panicked, so he wasn’t alone. Lance smiled and tries to refocus on how he was going to get himself out of this predicament.
“Well, I’m afraid I can’t do much else,” Mr. Karma was telling Chris, who looked distraught.
“I know, thanks for all your help. I really thought he was innocent,” Chris replied with a hint of frustration in his voice. Lance turned and tried to catch Chris’ eye but Chris just turned away. “Do what ever is left of this week then you can quit. There’s no point now,” Mr. Karma nodded in response and looked over at Lance.
“Sorry but he pays me,” the lawyer said in response to Lance’s desperate look. He could tell Lance was not as innocent as he’d made out to be and didn’t want to defend a pointless case. “I’m leaving at the end of the week.” Mr. Karma sat back in his seat next to Lance and busily looked though his papers trying to avoid eye contact.
Lance sighed and put his head in his hands, as AJ walked back in and took his place on the witness stand. Fuck, thought Lance, now my life truly is over. Thanks a lot Mclean.

Justin closed his eyes and tried not to think as AJ walked back into the room with Brian close behind. It was finally over; they’d all see it was a mistake if McLean’s dreams were true. Justin hoped they were because it was all he was counting on right now to get him out of the amount of shit he was in.
“Are you ready to resume Mr. Mclean?” Mr. Haulm asked AJ. Justin didn’t hear a response he just heard AJ mumbling a response. “Okay then, what happened after Mr. Bass left?”
Justin knew that that was the question that held his life. He hoped and prayed that AJ would show him in the light where he had made a mistake. Justin hadn’t meant for these things to happen, they just did and now he was being tried for it. But in the back of his mind Justin knew that it was Lance’s fault, after all it was his idea right?
Part 10 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 10.


Justin felt himself panicking once Lance left; he wondered how he would cope with Nick once he woke up. Justin sighed and decided to get the food that Lance had ordered ready so that when Nick did wake up he would at least be able to give him food.
Once he had put the food out into the plastic bowls, Justin looked over to Nick’s body. He was still unconscious. Justin sighed and walked over to Nick to wake him up. He wasn’t going to sit around and wait any longer.
“Hey Carter,” Justin said poking a toe into Nick’s side, “Time to get up.” There was no response, so Justin tried again, this time nudging Nick harder.
“Umm?” Nick grumbled and Justin bent over to roll the boy over.
“Wake up, I got something for you,” Justin replied and got up to get the food. He got it and walked back over to Nick who had passed out again. Justin sighed, he did not need this. He put the food down on the floor and kicked Nick in the side again. “Carter!”
This time Nick woke up, his eyes shot open and he looked around him panicking. “Whheroeutjghghdjhf?” Nick grumbled, Justin looked at him confused.
“What? Oh right, you still can’t talk I forgot,” Justin replied and crouched down next to Nick. “Now listen up Carter, I’m gonna give you something, but I’ll only do it if you don’t freak out okay?” Nick nodded furiously and Justin smiled. He reached over for one of the bowls and dipped the spoon into it.
Justin looked back over to Nick, whose eyes went wide and so Justin put the bowl back down. “What did I say Carter? No freaking out remember?” Justin asked, Nick nodded again in agreement. “Okay here.” Justin picked the bowl up again, and tried to feed Nick, but Nick refused. “What Carter? Is this not up to your standards or some shit? Well I don’t care just eat it or else you’ll starve to death.”
“Imasldiionctothatsdfsdhff,” Nick mumbled, but Justin rolled his eyes.
“I said, I don’t care Carter,” Justin said and tried one more time to stuff the spoon in Nick’s mouth to no avail. “Oh for fuck’s sake come on, if you don’t eat Lance will have a bloody hernia and we’ll never get this shit off the road.”
“Lanwce?” Nick asked, and this time Justin made it out.
“Yeah Lance and you don’t want to get in his bad books believe me. Now just eat this,” Justin replied and this time he shoved the spoon into Nick’s mouth. “There, I told you it wasn’t so shit right?” Justin turned around and put the bowl back down. There was a second of silence before he heard it, the gasping. “What the fuck is it now Carter? Holly fuck!” Justin turned around and witnessed Nick’s face slowly change color. It went from white, to blue, to purple.
“Hewlp!” Nick mumbled, Justin couldn’t make out what he said but he got up and ran over to the sink to get some water.
“Hang on Carter,” Justin called and grabbed a glass of water before hurrying back over to Nick. Justin began to panic, if Lance came back and saw this there would be shits. “Carter?” Justin asked when he reached Nick, who now had his eyes closed. God, don’t be dead, Justin prayed.
Justin stopped and put the glass of water on the floor beside Nick and bent over to check for a pulse. There wasn’t one. Right then Justin did the only thing he could think of. He got up, and dragged Nick’s lifeless body to his car not knowing where he was taking it.


“Mr. Mclean?” Mr. Haulm asked AJ after the guy had stopped his story, and began to breathe heavily. The recollection of his dreams was all too much for him.
“Sorry?” AJ asked shaking his head and snapping out of it, everyone in the room had their eyes on him, each sitting on the edge of their seats.
“Are you okay?” Mr. Haulm asked and AJ shook his head, and then he nodded again, he didn’t know.
“I… I don’t know. Sorry, give me a second to recompose myself,” AJ replied and the lawyer nodded.
“Yes, take all the time you need,” Mr. Haulm replied and AJ nodded. He closed his eyes and tried to refocus on the story he was telling, but the images of poor Nicky choking to death still haunted him. He forced his eyes to open, refusing to close them again.
“Sorry,” AJ said after a while and looked helplessly around him, at first to the judge then to the lawyer. “I can’t do this, sorry but I just can’t.”
Part 11 by angelfromafrica
Lance and Justin’s explanation of events.
Part 11.

Since AJ had refused to speak Justin sat nervously on the witness stand, wondering how he would explain the situation. His heart pounded in his chest as he looked around him and felt everyone watching him, nervously wanting his answer.
“Mr. Timberlake?” Mr. Haulm interrupted his thoughts and Justin was brought back to the present.
“Yes? Sorry, what?” Justin asked confused as to what the lawyer had just asked.
“You were unaware that Mr. Carter was allergic to...” Mr. Haulm said pausing and checking his notes, “Mushrooms?”
Justin nodded and looked at the lawyer. “Um yeah, I mean the dude had never said anything to anyone about it, ever. So we didn’t know,” Justin replied and Mr. Haulm nodded.
“So the food that was given to Mr. Carter contained mushrooms, is that correct?” Mr. Haulm asked and once again Justin nodded.
“Yeah, it did,” Justin said and glanced at Lance who was looking at him intently.
“So what you’re saying is that it was an accident that Mr. Carter died since you did not know about his allergy to mushrooms and gave him food containing that ingredient correct?” Mr. Haulm asked to which Justin just nodded. “Then how come you did not hear his cries of refusal?”
“Well,” Justin said wondering how he would explain that Nick couldn’t really speak. “His vocal cords were still healing.”
“Healing?” Mr. Haulm asked raising an eyebrow.
“Yeah from the operation,” Justin said.
“What operation would that be Mr. Timberlake?” Mr. Haulm asked now very interested.
“Well, here’s the thing. Nick and Lance both had operations on their vocal cords so that they would be able to sound like each other,” Justin replied quickly as Mr. Haulm referred to his notes, in case he’d missed something.
“But there is no record of Nick ever going for an operation,” Mr. Haulm indicated pointing to his papers and Justin sighed.
“Yeah, that’s because he didn’t go to a hospital. I did the surgery myself,” Justin replied bowing his head, the whole room gasped.
“You performed surgery without a licence?” Mr. Haulm asked shocked and Justin nodded.
“Yeah, but I got the instructions on how to do it off the internet,” Justin tried to reason but Mr. Haulm shook his head.
“No wonder there was such a wide spread sign of infection in Mr. Carter’s throat according to the autopsy. So if you add that and the allergies, no wonder he died,” Mr Haulm stated.
“Yeah no wonder,” Justin sighed; he knew then that his life was over.

“So how did you find out that Mr. Carter had passed?” Mr. Karma was now asking Lance who had taken the witness stand. Lance sighed and rolled his eyes. Mr. Karma was supposed to quit this week but once the new developments in the case became clear he decided to stay, to get the publicity, not for Lance.
“Timberlake called me,” Lance replied shortly and glared at Justin who rolled his eyes at Lance.
“And was Mr. Timberlake panicked, as he said he was?” Mr. Karma asked, Lance nodded.
“Yeah, he freaked out,” Lance replied, “He was about to have a hernia.”
“And what did he say he was going to do with the body?” Mr. Karma asked pacing in front of Lance.
“Well…” Lance began and paused wondering how he should tell the world, it was his idea to dispose the body. “He wasn’t going to do anything, as you know.”
“But Mr. Timberlake wanted to go to the police correct? Is that not what he stated earlier in court?” Mr. Karma asked gesturing to Justin, Lance nodded, “Then why did you say he didn’t want to do anything?”
“Well I don’t know,” Lance sighed, “He thought it would be better to call the cops but I decided otherwise. I told him he would be dumb to do that and that we should just dump the body and let some one else find it, I was trying to save his ass.”
“But instead you didn’t..” Mr. Karma began, “In fact weren’t you the ones to drop in the anonymous phone call to the police to tell them where the body was?”
“No,” Lance said shaking his head. “That was Justin’s bright idea, he decided to make the tip off, much against my wishes.”
“Well at least he had the decency to call someone,” Mr. Karma muttered under his breath hoping no one would catch it but the judge did.
“Mr. Karma, please respect your client!” The judge snapped looking sternly at the lawyer.
“Yes your honour,” Mr. Karma mumbled in reply then turned back to Lance. “Mr. Bass after the police picked up the body, and Mr. Littrell had confirmed it was Mr. Carter why did you move the body?”
Lance went silent for while not knowing what to say. “I didn’t want us to get caught,” Lance replied slowly glancing at Justin who just shrugged.
“But you were,” Mr. Karma pointed out. “In fact it was because Mr. Littrell did some snooping around that you were caught, correct?” Lance just nodded, he did not know what to say.
“Yes,” Lance mumbled under his breath and it was then that he too realised his life was over.

“So Mr Timberlake, what did Mr. Bass say to you once you called him with the information that Mr. Carter had died?” Mr. Petter asked his client.
Justin twitched in his seat and looked at his lawyer. “He told me that it was good Nick was dead, that way we could get on with our plans without being discovered and if we were found out he would take the blame. Then he said to dump the body in a ditch for the cops to find and leave it at that,” Justin replied sheepishly.
“But you didn’t right?” Mr. Petter asked looking at Justin, Justin shook his head.
“No, I mean I couldn’t I felt guilty as shit. I mean come on I had just killed someone, by accident, so I made a call to the police telling them where to find the body, I didn’t think Lance would find out but he did,” Justin replied quietly.
“And what happened when he found out?” Mr Petter asked.
“He called the morgue and pretended to be Nick’s twin, saying the family wanted the body moved,” Justin said.
“What about the list? And how did he know about the death as he told the police?” Mr. Petter wanted to know.
Justin sighed, “He told the cops that Brian had called him and informed him and once they moved the body to the morgue he told them to make sure no one but him and Mrs. Carter were allowed to view the body.”
Mr Petter raised an eyebrow at this, “And they agreed?” Justin nodded.
“Yeah I guess,” Justin said shrugging, “I mean they figured he was truly who he said he was.”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9653