Journey Of The Heart by ResaD
Past Featured StorySummary: Five girls, five guys, the one and only problem...time travel.
Go back in time with these five girls, Terri, Megan, Jennifer, Shannon, and Theresa, as they get tossed back into the 1880's, when they're forced to work as Soiled Doves. And into a time, when the only law, was the Outlaws. The famous city they happen to go to? Tombstone, Az, where the town never dies.
The only light to this horrible dream, is the random chance meeting between these five girls, and five boys, Nick, Kevin, Brian, AJ, and Howie. Could these guys be the ones to save them? Or the ones to condem them?
____________________________________________________



Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Group, Howie, Kevin, Nick, Other
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Historical, Romance
Warnings: Death, Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 17378 Read: 22352 Published: 03/25/09 Updated: 04/10/09

1. Chapter 1 by ResaD

2. Chapter 2 by ResaD

3. Chapter 3 by ResaD

4. Chapter 4 by ResaD

5. Chapter 5 by ResaD

6. Chapter 6 by ResaD

7. Chapter 7 by ResaD

8. Chapter 8 by ResaD

9. Chapter 9 by ResaD

10. Chapter 10 by ResaD

11. Chapter 11 by ResaD

12. Chapter 12 by ResaD

13. Chapter 13 by ResaD

14. Chapter 14 by ResaD

15. Chapter 15 by ResaD

Chapter 1 by ResaD
CHAPTER 1
I glanced around the room, looking at the old furniture, the pictures framing the walls, and just about everything else.
“Is this what you would want?” I turned to the lady and raised an eyebrow.
“Just how old is this building?”
“Quite old Ms. Lambe. It was built around 1875.”
“Tombstone was just going than.”
“Yes.”
“Thanks Mrs. Johnson. I’ll call you back as soon as I talk to my friends.”
“Just wondering Ms. Lambe, just what are you going to turn this into?”
“I wish I could explain it to you Mrs. Johnson, but I can’t. Just another little shop.”
“Like Tombstone doesn’t have enough of those?”
“Oh, they do. But I know this will be unique.”
“So long as you don’t burn this place down.” I laughed but shook my head.
“No, would never dream of a thing like that. Thanks Mrs. Johnson.”
“You’re welcome hon.” I watched her leave and returned back to gazing at the small room. It was just a small hotel. A grand total of five rooms, but it housed the worst girls in the west. Outlaws? Not really. Just a wild bunch, the wildest of the Soiled Doves in Tombstone. Probably wondering what the Soiled Doves were right? Well, to put it bluntly, they were whores, yet these young five gals knew quite a few outlaws. And in a sense, I knew one of them. Let’s leave it at the fact that I’m a great, great, great grand-daughter of one of them. I walked into the back, where the kitchen was and rolled my eyes. Nothing was touched, dusted but that’s about it. They totally kept this in tact, yet why would they? The Wild Gals, that’s what they called themselves, weren’t known through out history, so why keep something so well in tact? The pervious owner died and when I found out about my family history, I had to buy it for myself. As for what I was planning on doing with it, why, telling the story of the Wild Gals. I was planning on making them well known. I jumped as I felt my cell phone vibrating against my leg. I took a deep breath and answered it.
“Theresa?”
“Hey Megan, what’s up?”
“Did you get the place?”
“Yeah.”
“And?”
“And it’s small.”
“Small?”
“Yes, just a small hotel. But still in tact and I can’t figure out why.”
“What do you mean?”
“Everything is still in place. Megan, I swear it’s like I stepped back into 1875, when this was built. Nothing has changed.”
“Someone kept it in good shape.”
“Yes, but why?” I left the kitchen and glanced up the stairs. I put my hand on the railing and put my foot down on the first step. I closed my eyes, feeling something brush my arm. I quickly opened my eyes and gazed around the room.
“Theresa?”
“What?”
“Have you heard anything I said?”
“Oh, I’m sorry Megan. Look, get the gang and meet me over here. Just walk in, you’ll see what I mean?”
“Where is it at?”
“Um, it’s more on the edge of town. Lovely little place. Bye girl.”
“Bye.” I hung up my phone and took a deep breath. I glanced around me once again and started climbing the stairs, hearing the creaking noises coming from the steps. I stopped on the landing and looked to the left, seeing two closed doors, the same thing as I glanced to the right. I sighed and figured I would head straight for the door in front of me. I put my hand on the knob and closed my eyes, leaning against the door. I heard a faint laughter, followed by a soft voice and quickly backed away from the room. My eyes opened wide and I gazed at the door, not hearing the front door open or the laughter coming from the group of girls.
“Theresa! Bitch, where are you?”
“Dude, I just talked to her.”
“Yes, but where is she? Resa?” I snapped myself together and hollered back that I was upstairs. I heard them coming up and smiled at them. “This is small.”
“You’re right Jennifer, but still it’s totally cool.”
“And you plan on living her for how long bitch?” I glared at Shannon but smiled.
“Just till I figure out about the Wild Gals.”
“You’re crazy.”
“And so are you Terri. You came, I didn’t twist your arm.” I shook my head and looked back at the door. “This is an awesome place.”
“If not a haunted place.” I rolled my eyes and looked at Megan.
“It’s not haunted. It’s just a hotel where they lived and did business.”
“God, did you have to mention that bit?”
“What’s wrong Jennifer?”
“I hate to think about the fact that I’m in a hotel that, well, can be called a whore house.” I laughed and shook my head.
“Sorry, you’re more than welcome to leave if you want.”
“No, it’s sick, but still quite awesome.”
“Terri, open the door.” Terri quickly turned around and glared at me.
“No way.” I rolled my eyes and shoved Megan. She glared just as well, but quickly grabbed the knob, hearing something and backed away, shaking her head.
“Oh God no.”
“Did you hear something?” Megan stared at the door and shook her head. “Let’s check the other rooms, we can come back to this one.” We all walked down to the first door on the left and Megan threw us a look and slowly opened it up. We slowly walked in, taking in the small wash bin by the small bed which laid by the wall across from the door. I stepped in and frowned, catching a faint smell, of what, I wasn’t certain, nor did I honestly want to know. Terri walked over to the dresser and pulled open a drawer, seeing a few pieces of paper and a few ink wells. I walked over to the closet and pulled it open seeing the dresses lying inside, all dusted and clean. I gently touched one, feeling the fine material against my fingers. Terri walked up behind me and gazed at the clothes, pulling one of them out and holding it up against her body.
“Well?”
“Very, um, 1880’s,” Shannon said, laughing a bit. Terri rolled her eyes and put it back.
“This is so cool. You know, we’re in a place that…”
“Most places in Tombstone are quite the same hon,” I said, looking out the window, seeing the vast desert. “It’s all real. Everything you remember reading, this is the truth. Those people stood in the same place, Lord only knows doing what.”
“Comfty bed.” All girls turned and stared at Terri. “What?”
“That bed was used…” Jennifer shivered and I laughed at her.
“I think after 100 a years, its fine,” Terri said, rolling her eyes. “Stop playing the innocent party girl.” Jennifer stuck her tongue out and moved to the door.
“Next one.” I caught the dresser in my site and opened the door again, puling out a piece of the paper.
“Terri, come here, please.” She walked over to me and looked over my shoulder, reading the writing, a love letter actually. To a Kevin? An outlaw at that. Her eyes scanned the rest, liking the handwriting, but gasping as she saw the name signed at the bottom. I rose an eyebrow at her. “The only name that appeared in the Wild Gals was Rachel. But this handwriting is yours Terri, I will vouch on that.”
“But that’s not my name.”
“We don’t know. Is it possible for us to become..”
“Shut up, it’s not possible; don’t even begin to think like that. Now, let’s go.” I put the paper back and followed her out of the room, closing the door behind us. I went into the next room, and saw Jennifer laughing as the dress looked so right on her. I shook my head, seeing the small bed by the window and the wash bin by the headboard. Terri saw the dresser and opened the top drawer, seeing the same thing, a love letter to an outlaw by the name of Brian and yet again, that was my friends handwriting, though another name. I rose my eyebrow at her, yet she refused to look at me.
“I want to see another room,” Shannon, leaving the room and running down the hall. I followed her and went to the farthest room to the right of the landing. She threw open the door and it was the same as the first room, except different dresses. Megan glanced at me and went to the dresser and opened the door. She pulled out a letter addressed to an Alex and handed it to me. I shook my head and turned around, running into Terri. She took the paper, glanced it and than at Shannon.
“Makes no fuckin’ sense.”
“It can,” I said, leaving the room and waiting for Megan to open the next door. She did and walked in, sucking a breath. She smiled as she danced around the room and I laughed at her. Like everyone else, she got a dress and held it against her body. I walked over to the dresser and pulled open the drawer, seeing all the same thing, except this one being addressed to a Nick. I sighed, handed the paper to Terri and she rolled her eyes.
“Next one,” Jennifer said, running out the room and to the door next door. She smiled and quickly put her hand on the knob, yet backing away a few seconds later. I felt someone brush my arm and stared at Megan, a smirk coming across my lips.
“What?”
“Nothing.” I shoved her and she ran into the door. She glared at me. “Chicken shit Resa.” I rose my eyebrow and she turned the knob, shoving aside the door. Our eyes took in the room, neither one of us stepping in it quite yet. It was slightly bigger than the others, yet still held the same things. The wash bin, the small bed, the dresser and a closet filled with clothes. I shoved my way through the crowd and walked into the middle of the room, my eyes taking in everything. I closed my eyes, trying to keep the room from spinning, yet it did no good. I sank to the floor, hearing the faint calls, yet my mind wasn’t registering anything.
Chapter 2 by ResaD
CHAPTER 2
“Darlin’ you better wake up.” I opened one eye and stared at the woman in front of me. I glanced at her boots, laced up to the ankle, the fish net stockings running up her legs, the dress that swirled around her knees, the top that pushed her breasts even higher, than the pale face with a touch of make up. “Darlin’ you okay?” I pushed myself up off the floor and glanced around the room, the soft light coming from the small lamp.
“It looks good on you Megan.”
“Darlin’ who’s Megan?” I glanced at her and than glanced down at myself. “Rachel, you okay hon?”
“Who’s Rachel?”
“Why, you are. Jane, hon, come in here. Rachel don’t look so good.” I brushed my fingers through my hair and saw another lady walk into the room, her brown hair pulled back slightly and some feathers tucked in there.
“Mary, what’s going on?”
“Rachel here don’t feel good. Saying something about a Megan.” Jane walked over and I backed away from her. She frowned and shoved me on the bed.
“I think you need to lay down tonight and not bother working. Those men will be back hon.”
“What men?”
“Why the Cowboys of course. I’m sure Mr. Johnny Ringo can wait for you hon.” The Johnny Ringo, I asked myself. I closed my eyes and groaned. For some odd reason, I knew I wasn’t in the year 2002 anymore. I shook my head and laughed to myself. Didn’t I tell this to Terri, that it could be possible? “Let me get Annie, she honestly don’t look good. She’s very pale Mary.”
“I noticed. Annie, sister, please come here.” I opened my eyes and dared to glance at the door, seeing the pretty blonde waltz right in, her small robe barely hiding her.
“What’s going on now?”
“Rachel don’t feel good.” Annie walked over and sat down on the bed, her hand softly touching my forehead. She smiled down at me.
“You feel fine hon. You don’t look good, but nothing that some make up won’t handle. Just think, those fine young cowboys are gonna walk up into this hotel and demand you. Well, we all know which one anyway.” I felt myself blush and bite my lip. Wild Gals, gotta remember who Rachel was and what she did. I shivered and closed my eyes. In the future, or persent…I stopped my train of thought and sighed. Just where the fuck was I?
“Um, Annie, hon, what year is it?” She frowned at me and shook her head.
“Did she hit her head?” Mary shook her head. “It’s 1880 darlin’.” Okay, the present I suppose. She sold her body for money. She sold her body…I covered my mouth and swallowed back whatever was coming up. “You are sick.”
“No, just, I remembered what I do, did, are doing.”
“You mean, you forgot what you did for a livin’?” I glanced at the woman named Jane and nodded my head. “Why, you’re what Tombstone calls a Soiled Dove. You sell yourself for money. Honest enough way of livin’. Since there’s no real jobs out there for women.”
“Of course, not in this time anyway.”
“Not in any time. What you tellin’ us. That sometime in the future, there’s gonna be jobs for woman?” Annie asked, a smile forming her face.
“Yes, there is actually.”
“What on Earth are you talkin’ about darlin’? This is a man’s world. They do the providin’ in life. Well, if you’re ever lucky enough to land yourself a man.” I smiled and nodded my head. ‘Right. This is the Old West, well, the New West, oh hell, it’s just the west,’ my mind told me.
“Look, ladies, I think I’m gonna sleep before I do anything tonight.”
“Might be wise darlin’, just might be wise.” They all smiled and walked out the room, closing the door behind them. “That wasn’t Rachel. I don’t know who that is, but that ain’t our friend.”
“Annie, that has to be her.”
“I’m tellin’ you, sister, it ain’t her. I have no pissin’ clue who that is, but I’ll be damned if that’s our Rachel. Now, Jane, Mary, go finish getting ready. The Cowboys are probably drunk enough to come at any moment.” Annie sighed and walked down to her room, closing the door quietly behind her. She glanced out the window, watching the moon play across the sand.

I awoke to someone knocking on the door. I groaned and rolled back underneath the covers, wishing the person would just go away.
“Rachel.” I sighed, flung the covers back and walked over to the door, opening it to see a young man standing there. “Let me in.” I glanced at him, than out to the hall, hearing that faint laughter. I sighed, but moved aside. “The other girls told me you didn’t seem yourself. And you don’t certainly look like yourself.”
“Just what do you mean? I look perfectly like myself. Just don’t feel like myself.” He shook his head but sat down on the chair by the desk. I glanced it and frowned, wondering when that came.
“Lay down hon.” I shot him a look and he rolled his eyes. “I’m not gonna sleep with you when you feel bad. Sides, we’ll be in town quite a while.” I nodded my head and crawled back into bed, sensing him following me. I tried to pull the covers up, yet he grabbed them. I cringed as I felt the bed move and him slide against me, his arm holding me against his body. “I’m not gonna let them think I just left and not did anything to you.” I stiffened in his arms. “Though I’m not woman. You have my word.” I tried to recall if Johnny was ever nice, though I couldn’t. Just knew he was smart, and fast with his gun. His hand traveled up and cupped one breast. I gasped as I felt his hand close around it, yet he just stated again, he wouldn’t do anything. I forced myself to stop acting like a young virgin and gave into the sleep that was once again, claiming me.
Chapter 3 by ResaD
CHAPTER 3
I rolled myself out of the bed and gazed at the sunlight streaming into the room. I glanced around, feeling the problem coming back to haunt me. I was stuck in 1880 and not a friend. Well, if you could count the Wild Gals, but I hardly knew them! I rolled my eyes and got out of bed, pulling a robe on. I opened the door and saw Annie coming out of her room, an odd expression on her face.
“What’s wrong?”
“I just had a dream hon. Rather strange one. Did Ringo go up to see you last night?”
“Yes he did actually.”
“Did he do anything to you darlin’?”
“No Annie. He just slept with me.”
“Yeah, Ringo.” She snorted and rolled her eyes. “He ain’t that type of man.” I followed her down the stairs and into the kitchen, smiling as Jane got a cup of coffee.
“Feelin’ better Rachel hon?”
“Yes, quite, thank you.”
“You look better. Good thing Ringo didn’t touch you last night.”
“How…”
“He was the first to leave this morning.”
“Right.” I sat down in the chair and looked out the window.
"Christina should be right down darlin’. Rachel?" I tore my gaze from the desert and smiled at Jane. "Christina should be right down. Remember you were supposed to meet up with her to go to the drug store." I took a sip of the coffee and frowned.
"For what?"
"Vinegar darlin’. We’re almost out."
"And why do we need vinegar?" Annie cast me a look and Jane just shook her head.
"So we don’t get pregnant. Did you forget the tricks of the trade?" I shook my head, hiding my frown behind my coffee cup. "Anyway, she’ll be right down, so you might want to change."
"Of course." I sat my cup down on the table and turned to leave the room.
"Who is that?" Annie shook her head at the simple question, her dream still plaguing her. "Annie?" Her head snapped up, yet the eyes that locked with Jane’s were not the same. "You need to lay down as well hon. You look just as pale as Rachel did yesterday."
"Thanks darlin’." Annie rolled her eyes, but took her leave. ‘It wasn’t just the dream, I don’t feel like myself at all. And Rachel, looks more like Theresa.’ Annie stopped right before Rachel’s door and knocked softly. At the answer, she walked in. I turned and smiled at her, trying to wiggle my way into the dress. "A corset might be helpful."
"Oh, yes, thanks." I watched Annie as she stepped into the room.
"When you were on the floor, did you have a dream?"
"Like what type of dream?"
"Like your body wasn’t your body anymore. Like you just didn’t feel like yourself anymore?" I watched her, her eyes pleading with mine.
"You’re not Annie anymore. It’s quite plain. And if I didn’t know any better, I would almost say you were a young lady I used to know by the name of Terri." Her eyes perked up and I smiled. So the same thing happened. "Help me finish getting dressed Ms. Annie. I need to meet up with Christina." She sat her cup on the desk and pulled the corset on, tying the strings and helping me with the gown. I smiled my thanks, slipped the boots on and left my room.

"Rachel?" Annie turned around and glanced at Mary. "Oh, hi Annie. Did Rachel already leave?"
"Just a few minutes ago hon. Heard the front door close. What’s wrong darlin’?"
"Nothing of course." Annie gazed at her younger sister, her eyes locking with hers. "You don’t look the same Annie."
"And neither do you Mary. In fact, you look like…”
"As do you." They both sighed, feeling different yet the same. "Maybe Rachel feels the same way?"
"Could just be. But I’m still tired so I think I’m gonna head back to that nice warm bed I left this morning."
"Did he pay you finally?"
"Damn piss ant that he is. Yes, paid me the 100 dollar that owes me. He wasn’t happy, but he had the money. Just got done robbin’ some old fool." Annie smiled, flicked a wink at her younger sister and left, a smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

“Good morin’ Ms. Christina, Ms. Rachel.”
“Mornin’ Mr. Jacob.”
“You ladies off to the drug store?”
“Yes sir. Quite a lovely day, huh Mr. Jacob?”
“Yes ma’am it surely is. Ya know, I have a small question for ya’ll. How is that such lovely young belles such as yourselves are in that there business? Why, I’m almost certain ya’ll could land any man you wanted.” Christina laughed and I simply smiled.
“Here in Tombstone Mr. Jacob, the men are either outlaws or lawmen. Neither one we choose to live with the rest of our lives. Sides, we’re women, forced to earn a living somehow or other at a tender age. Why, take me and my sisters, Annie and Mary. Our family died in a fire just a few years ago. None of us were old enough to get married, yet we had to live somehow. And Jane, innocent, young Jane. Why, her father is a cruel man. Drinks and gambles away all their money. She’s stuck workin’ like this to pay off his debts. As for sweet Rachel over there, why, her husband died, leavin’ behind no money for her. So, Mr. Jacob, we did the best thing we know how to do, become Soiled Doves.”
“And you’re the top of the town.” Christina smiled yet it left as a young female marched by, her nose caught up in the air.
“Ya know Mrs. Fellowstine, I’m sure if you got your little nose much farther up, something just might fly and land on it.”
“Why the nerve!”
“Don’t look down on us simply because we tend to please your husband more than you ever will. Good day Mrs. Fellowstine, Mr. Jacob,” I said, nodding my head toward the older man yet again. Christina slapped her fan open and covered her smile.
“That was plain mean Rachel.”
“Oh, but it’s simply the truth darlin’. That’s one woman I will gladly make mad.”
“Watch out for her though. Get her on that laudanum long enough, she’ll come causin’ trouble with that six shooter her husband has.”
“She can meet up with the rifle I have tucked away in my closet. We’ll see who can get the first shot off.” Christina smiled and walked into the drug store, purchasing the few items we needed.
Chapter 4 by ResaD
CHAPTER 4
“Did I tell you I saw Mrs. Fellowstine today Jane? And Rachel was utterly cruel to her. Why, Mrs. Fellowstine stuffed her nose even higher in the air.” The ladies shared a laugh as they cleaned the dinner dishes.
“I don’t know what’s gotten to our fellow gals, but something is amiss.”
“Why do you such a thing sugar?”
“Mary and Annie look nothing like themselves Christina. They seem, I don’t know, they’re just not the same girls I know. As for Rachel, honey, she didn’t even know why we needed Vinegar.”
“But she knew Mrs. Fellowstine. I think she just hit her head rather hard and it knocked some sense out of her. She’s comin’ around mighty fine. Look, here shortly the gang will stop by and all will be fine. She’ll be pleasin’ those men.”
“Men?”
“Ringo is not her only fan sugar. Just by far the most important one. Oh, I didn’t tell you who else I saw. Mr. Jacob.”
“He is such a nice old man. What did he say to you today?”
“Asked why we were in this God forsaken business. Said were young and pretty belles that we could land any man. But who wants to marry an outlaw or a lawman? Your either scared one’s getting hauled off to jail or laying dead somewhere. Or you’re scared that he’s out protectin’ somethin’ that’s goin’ get him into trouble!” Jane laughed but nodded her head.
“Though, I’d rather have me an outlaw any day. They surely know how to please their women.” Christina slapped the younger girl gently on her arm.
“My dear young girl, sometimes I wonder if that innocent look isn’t all an act.” Jane glanced at her friend from the corner of her eye.
“Who’s to say? Though, I certainly attract myself a larger number of guys with that act.” Christina gasped at the younger girl and broke into a fit of giggles.
“You guys are bad.” The two young girls and smiled at Annie.
“We’re not per say.”
“Well, no, we get paid well enough, I guess we’re good.” Annie shook her head at her sister’s comments.
“How you feelin’ sister?”
“I’m fine Christina. Just a little tired. I need a break from all this for a night or two.”
“Billy getting rather tough.”
“Curly Bill is never tough. Gentle, actually.” The two young girls simply rolled their eyes. “He is! Just more demandin’ than most.” They shared a laugh and groaned as they heard the soft knock on their door.
“I suppose I can get it.”
“Stay Annie, I’ll get it sugar,” I called into the kitchen. I lifted my skirt a little over my knees as I walked down the rest of the stairs and opened the door, seeing some young gentleman out there.
“Pardon me ma’am, are ya’ll the Wild Gals?”
“Yes sir. What can I do for you?”
“My name is Howie ma’am. This is my gang, so to speak. We just needed a decent place to catch a quick meal, no questions asked.”
“Well, Mr. Howie, I suppose we can whip something up for you and your men. Come on in.” I stepped aside as the rest of the men followed him in. “Ladies,” I hollered. I watched as Jane, Christina and Annie came from the kitchen and Mary come from the pallor. “This is Mary. And Annie, Jane and Christina and I’m Rachel.”
“Pleasure ladies. This is Nick, Kevin, Brian, Alex, and I’m Howie.”
“And you wanted a hot meal sugar?” Howie just nodded his head at Annie. “We’ll make something right up.” The guys smiled, tipped their hats and followed Annie into the kitchen. I smiled at Mary.
“What?”
“New men.”
“No questions.”
“Don’t want to ask, just wanna do.” Mary laughed and shook her head, following the crowd into the kitchen.

“Annie, you got anymore Whiskey?” Jane glanced at Johnny and than at Annie.
“No, you drank the rest of it Johnny. Speakin’ of which, don’t you have a place to stay. Why is it that ever night you gotta come over here? Why can’t you just one night stay away? Like tonight?” Annie rolled her eyes and Jane tried not to laugh.
“I know you’re not getting’ testy woman.”
“Damn it Johnny, you drank everything else in this house, somethin’ on your mind darlin’?”
“You housin’ some new men?”
“Who, that gang of men?”
“Yes Annie.”
“They nothin’ special hon. Just some outlaws lookin’ for a place to lie low for a while.”
“I don’t want them touchin’ my women.” Annie’s eyebrow’s shot up and she glanced at Jane.
“Are we branded as the Cowboy’s whores?”
“Yes.”
“Such a piss ant. We don’t belong to no one. There ain’t no rings on our fingers hon. We’re just simple minded women who go about they’re simple lives makin’ some cash. We don’t belong to anyone.” Annie stormed out of the room and into the kitchen.
“Something wrong?” Annie glared at Mary. “Honey, you okay?”
“I’m my own woman.”
“Damn right. Honey, don’t let that little man get to you. He ain’t nothin’ special.”
“Excuse me?” Annie’s eyes shot to the man standing in the doorway and smiled. The green eyes stood out against the tanned skin and the black hair.
“Yes hon?”
“We’re not botherin’ ya’ll by stayin’ in those extra rooms, are we?”
“No hon. Don’t mind those boys. They’re just lookin’ to stir up a little trouble. Nothin’ we can’t handle.”
“You sure ma’am.”
“Oh, we deal with them on a nightly basis hon.” He cocked an eyebrow and she smiled. “Regular clients.” He smiled and glanced at Mary.
“Oh, if you excuse me, I think Rachel said she wanted to do somethin’. Night sister. Night Kevin.” Annie glared at her retreating back and finally turned and smiled at Kevin.
“Would you like anythin’ to drink hon?”
“No, but I would love some company. Especially if it’s someone as beautiful as you.” He took one of the seats and the table and watched her. She ran a quick hand through her blonde locks and took the seat closest to Kevin.
“Would love to keep you company.”
Chapter 5 by ResaD
CHAPTER 5
“Johnny, keep it up and I’ll shoot that wildcat sash right off of you.” I glared at him yet he didn’t bother paying attention. “I’m tellin’ you Ringo, stop.”
“You never minded before.”
“I do now.” I moved out of his reach and turned toward the door, seeing Howie walk in.
“Something wrong ma’am?” I heard Ringo snort and turned to glare at him.
“She ain’t no ma’am. Ain’t nothin’ more than a lousy whore.”
“Regardless sir, she still is a ma’am.” I smiled at Howie and nodded my head as he tipped his hat at me. He softly grabbed my arm and pulled me close. “If he bothers you Rachel, just holler. One of us will come to save you.” He let me go and walked back to the two vacant rooms we had.
“Stay away from him.” I turned my attention back to Johnny.
“How dare you tell me what to do Ringo!”
“Don’t start trouble Rachel.” Within’ an instant I realized he had sobered up. “I mean it. Ain’t no real law to help you and your friends.”
“We don’t need no real law sugar. We seem to be doing just fine, fended on our own.”
“You think that shotgun you can handle is gonna help you?”
“She has friends Ringo. I think you over stepped your welcome.” He turned and glared at Howie.
“You just stay out of this.”
“I don’t think I should. Go, you ain’t nothin’ but trouble.” Ringo glared at Rachel and left, slamming the door behind him. “Why do you put up with him?”
“Oh, I don’t know. He was handsome, a gunslinger, an outlaw.”
“And those appeal to you?”
“Only certain women will admit, but yes, it rather does. Oh, I ain’t no true lady, I’ll never be one.” His eyes softened and he shook his head.
“No, I don’t think that’s right. It’s more than a refinement that makes a lady.” He smiled and left the room, just as quietly as he walked in. I bit my lip and smiled to myself.

“Don’t ya sometimes wonder about life?” Christina glanced at the other girl sitting next to her.
“Whatever are you talkin’ about Miss Jane?”
“Oh, just talkin’. I mean, you think God wanted us to have this life?”
“I’m sure He didn’t, but sometimes I don’t think He understands what all can happen in life. I mean, our family was takin’ by a fire. What else could we have done to have survived? And as for you?”
“Oh, there were other options. Cleanin’ houses, or doing little stuff. But it didn’t offer the money fast enough. My pa needed his money now.”
“His debts are paid off, why you still doin’ this?” Jane looked out over the desert and than looked up at the endless sky.
“I’m not sure. The pay is nice but I know it ain’t the best job. I guess because I know I have friends who are in it as well. Maybe cause I can do whatever I want and sorta get away with it. And because I can be innocent and yet be the devil in disguise.”
“Now, ma’am, I don’t believe you could ever be like that.” The ladies jumped as they heard the male voice from the doorway.
“Oh, I’m sorry sir, I didn’t hear the door open.”
“I’m the one who should be saying sorry. Didn’t mean to intrude.”
“You’re quite welcome to come join us if you wish sir,” Christina said, making her way out of the chair. “I think I had my bit of fresh air.” She smiled at Jane and went back inside.
“Do you mind ma’am?”
“Have a seat stranger.”
“Wonderful night, isn’t it?”
“Oh, I love these desert nights. Especially when no one is about.”
“Where is everyone?”
“Probably gamblin’ away their money. Though, I do believe some acts or other are makin’ their way through town. You like watchin’ the actors Mr. Brian?”
“Please ma’am, ya don’t have to include the Mister.”
“And you don’t have to call ma’am. Hardly anyone around here does.” Brian smiled at her and she turned her gaze back to the moon.
“Is it hard?” She got out of the chair and leaned against the railing.
“What do you mean?”
“Being, well, what you are?”
“No, it’s rather easy. Take care of yourself, by the far the biggest issue. But it’s a business that we run, one we take care of quite nicely.”
“A business?”
“Yes. We have licenses to prove it too. Go to the doctor, once every three months to make sure we’re healthy. And at the first sight we’re not, we go back. Than if there’s something wrong, he simply says we’re not fit to work. Than there’s hell and damnation.” Brian laughed and leaned back in his chair, crossing his booted feet at the ankle. “If you don’t mind my sayin’, it’s rather rude that you can ask questions, yet we can’t ask any.”
“If it’s an angel like you askin’ darlin’, I wouldn’t mind bearin’ my soul.” Jane turned around and glanced at the horizon, praying he didn’t see the blush that rose upon her cheeks.

“Ya know Mary, I think you should go over to that Oriental and play for them. They’ll pay you good money to play darlin’.”
“Will you come sing Christina?” Mary kept running her fingers over the piano keys, humming to the beat.
“I can’t sing nearly as good as you can Mary, and you know that. Ma always said she loved to her you sing.”
“No, she loved to hear my playin darlin’. But you, she loved to hear sing.” Christina rolled her eyes at her younger sister.
“You lie sister. A terrible liar at that. I think I feel like dancin’. Play me something I can dance to, please?”
“Only if I can have this dance ma’am.” Christina jumped at the voice and stared at the young man who just entered the small room.
“Why, of you course you may stranger.”
“No extra charge I hope.” Christina smiled and tapped her fan against his arm.
“I decide who I want to charge. Believe it or not, some men actually might get some things free.” He gently kissed her hand as he held it within his.
“I do believe it.” Within moments, his hands were upon her waist, her arms around his shoulders and he was leading her into a majestic dance. His brown eyes locked with hers, his arms holding her tightly. And as the dance drew to an end, he lead her to the near by love seat. She smiled at him as he took the seat next to her.
“Quite the dancer you are.”
“Thank you. Your rather lovely yourself madam.”
“Oh, years of practice has paid off.”
“For someone who hold as much as poise and self confidence as you do, I don’t think its practice. I do rather think it’s just a natural act.” She smiled and tapped her fan open, letting the cool breeze fan her hot cheeks.
Chapter 6 by ResaD
CHAPTER 6
Mary watched her sister dancing and smiled to herself, letting the music flow.
“You look Heavenly when you play.” Mary jumped at the voice and smiled as the young man sat down next to her.
“I’m glad you like the music.”
“Is that what I said I liked?”
“Were you referring to the song, or to myself sir?”
“I thought I was implying that about you.” Mary smiled and turned to watch the couple dance. “Your sister?”
“Yes, her and Annie.”
“A family business?”
“So to speak. Our family died in a fire and we had no way to make it on our own.”
“I’m sorry to hear that.” Mary shrugged and threw a smile at the blonde man sitting next to her.
“I come to understand that life is what you make it. Sometimes it’s bad, sometimes it’s good, but you can’t have one and not have the other. Sure, we lost our family, but we had each other. And sure, we’re not the best of Tombstone, but there’s two other friends with us and together we make a family who love and care for each other very much.”
“So I’ve come to notice.”
“We’ll all we have.” Mary stopped playing and turned her attention to the young man. “And you Mr. Nick? What brought you to Tombstone?”
“Remember, no questions.”
“Oh, so you can pry into our private lives yet we are not allowed to do the same?”
“Business.” Mary smiled, knowing when she should just give up. “Though, keep smilin’ darlin’, and I might just tell you anythin’ you want to know.” Mary smiled even wider and turned her attention back to the ivory keys.

She watched them as they left their hotel and walked over to the Crystal Palace. She sighed and shook her head.
“Somethin’ botherin’ you love?” Annie looked up at her sister and smiled.
“Not at all Mary.”
“You like watchin’ those backs.”
“Nice back sides to watch hon.”
“Somethin’ is on your mind.”
“Why all the mystery around them? I just can’t seem to understand it.”
“Nor anyone else. Who knows? They could be simple outlaws like most of the men here in Tombstone.”
“Or some type of law figures.” Mary scrunched up her nose and tossed the idea around in her mind.
“I’m not sure hon. They just don’t seem like the lawwin’ type.” Mary shrugged and looked outside. “Let’s go for a ride. It’s a wonderful day hon, what do ya say?” Annie glanced outside and smiled yet again.
“Sure sugar.”

“Anyone else sorta curious about those men?” All heads turned and looked at Jane. “Well, it’s just that Brian and I were talkin’ before I headed up to bed and he was so sweet. Now, I don’t know any outlaw who come off like such a sweetheart.”
“None of us do, yet none of us can begin to understand what they do,” Christina said, taking a piece off the roll and popping it into her mouth. “Well, let’s start rulin’ out the things they can’t possibly be.”
“There’s the problem. They can just be about anything. They can simply be playin’ an act on us.”
“But why Mary?” Mary glanced at Annie and shook her head.
“They’re not outlaws, and they’re not the law. Could it be possible they just work for the government?”
“Aren’t they always dressed up in suits?”
“Well, no Jane. Not if they have to ride. How many men you know that get all dressed up to go ridin’ around in the dirt and dust?”
“Very good point Rachel.” We piled our plates with food and got comfty on the blanket as we talked about that gang of men.
“Didn’t Howie say somethin’ like ‘this is my gang’ or somethin’ like that?”
“I do recall Rachel.”
“Well, they don’t work for him, otherwise he would have said these are my men and he would have put them in another place, right?”
“True,” Annie agreed yet again.
“But if they were workin’ together, they would be a gang.”
“But they were searchin’ for us.”
“Maybe they knew we would be quiet Christina. They said no askin’ questions, they knew we wouldn’t,” Mary stated.
“I’m gonna dare ask.”
“Rachel, are you outta your mind? They said no askin’, we’re not gonna ask.”
“Jane, don’t be like that. I’m gonna dare! These men are stayin’ under our roof and yet we know nothin’ about them?”
“Well, that’s what they wanted.”
“And sometimes ya just don’t get what you want.” I shook my head at her and gazed out over the hills.
“Jane could be right Rachel.”
“Why I agree with Rachel, Annie. I mean, they want to stay, we at least have to know who they are.”
“We have names Christina.”
“That’s not enough Jane! They have jobs, like every other man, and I want to know, I mean, I’m gonna demand to know.” I glanced at Christina and started laughing. “What?”
“We’re arguin’ over men. We don’t need to be doin’ that.” They glanced at me and they too started laughing.

I wiped the table clean and glanced up as the door opened.
“Howdy ma’am.” I nodded my head at Kevin as he sat down at the table.
“Would you like something sugar?”
“Just some tea ma’am.”
“Kevin, darlin’, ya ain’t gotta call us ma’am. We have names, those will be just fine.” I smiled as I poured him a glass. He nodded his head as I handed it to him and went back to cleaning.
“Rachel, what can you tell me about the Cowboys.” I frowned up at him and stopped cleaning.
“Why, that all depends on what you want to know. Why?”
“Just askin’. You know them pretty well?” I thought for a moment.
“Well, not good enough I suppose. They’re just customers. But I know a thing or two about Ringo. And Annie knows a thing or two about Curly Bill. As for other gals, I’m not to sure.”
“They ever mention their plans?” I glanced at him and narrowed my eyes.
“I’ll answer that if you answer mine Kevin. Why are you askin’ me these questions?”
“Just curious. I don’t like them.”
“Not too many men do.” I put the last of the dishes away and walked over to Kevin. I leaned down and looked him in the eye. “But that ain’t the right answer; you and I both know it. I might be a lousy whore Kevin, but I ain’t stupid. I can read people pretty damn well and that piss ant answer won’t work. You’re gonna ask questions, we’re gonna ask you some too. Tell your boys that.” I winked at him and walked out of the room, bumping into Annie as she walked in.
“You okay Rachel?”
“Don’t tell him anything hon, without askin’ him somethin’ first. They have questions and want to know somethin’. But damnit, so do we and we’ll find our answers just as well.” She nodded her head and I went on my way.
Chapter 7 by ResaD
CHAPTER 7
“Jane?” She quickly turned around and smiled at Brian.
“Hey there mister.” He blushed and gazed up at the stars.
“Like it out here, don’t ya?” She shrugged but went on looking. He took the chance and looked her over, thinking that she would fit quite snug against his body. He took a breath and smiled at her. “The other girls, are they all older?”
“Yeah. Annie is the oldest by a year. Than Christina, followed by Rachel, than by Mary. Christina is a year younger, Rachel is about six months. Um, I believe Mary is about six months off from Rachel and I’m nine months exactly.”
“Not bad, a knit family.” She smiled at him and nodded her head. He took another breath. “Jane, how well do you know the Cowboys?” She shrugged but didn’t answer him. He waited for a few more moments before he touched her arm.
“Brian, what do you want me to tell you? Why are you, and every other man askin’ about them? They ain’t done nothin’ to ya’ll so, give, what’s goin’ on?”
“We said no questions.”
“And you told me you’d bear you’ll soul. So was that just a line sir?” Jane turned her attention to him and raised an eyebrow. He sighed and shook his head. “We ain’t gonna sell out some customers for some higher payin’ men. Keep that in mind sir.” She flicked her hair across her shoulder and marched back into the house, slamming the door behind her.

“I need to send a telegram.” The young man behind the desk nodded his head.
“Go on sir.”
“To the President’s secretary sir.” The young man only nodded his head and grabbed the pen and paper. “Say the job is proving to be rather hard and are sufferin’ some delays. Howie’.”
“No problem sir. That’s gonna be $4.50, sir.” Howie smiled and handed him the money. He walked out the doors and nodded at his men.
“Sent.”
“Why are they so tough to break?” Four pair of eyes turned and looked at Nick.
“My guess, they don’t trust anyone,” Alex said, catching his bottom lip between his teeth. “They know they’re in a business that’s rather difficult.”
“And anyone can come in and smoke them out, make them not trust anyone,” Brian added.
“You think they know anythin’ about these men?”
“They have to know somethin’ Nick. Those men are regulars.”
“Doesn’t really mean they know anythin’ though. I mean, you get a guy near a whore, what you think that man is thinkin’ about?”
“What’s buggin’ me is they ain’t sayin’ nothin’.”
“With all due understandin’ Kevin. We walked into that place askin’ for a hot meal and no questions. Yet we askin’ like all kinds. Surely, that’s got to get to them.” Kevin nodded his head, agreeing with what Brian had stated. Howie took in the small town, seeing a wagon pulling up and seeing a few actors getting out.
“What if we used them?” The four other heads turned and glanced at him, seeing his gaze and following it.
“What are you sayin’ Howie?”
“I mean Nick, what if we show them what true ladies they are. We all know we wouldn’t mind seeing them out of this business. But if we can prove we’re true gentlemen, they would trust us with any information.”
“And if they find out just how…”
“They won’t find out Kevin, they just can’t find out. But I remember someone mention that stage of actors was comin’, let’s treat them tonight.” The five guys finally agreed, yet reluctant.

I felt the small shawl removed from my shoulders and smiled back at Howie. He smiled and held the seat out for me.
“Thank you sir,” I said, claiming the seat.
“Welcome ma’am.”
“Well, hello there Ms. Rachel.” I turned around in my seat and saw a longtime old friend.
“Why, Doc Holliday. Just what are you doin’ in Tombstone?” I asked, holding out my hand. He took it and placed a gentle kiss on the back of it.
“Stayin’, seein’ if helps any.”
“Well, I can pray it does. Kate, lookin’ lovely darlin’.”
“Same for you honey.”
“Oh, how rude of me. Doc, Kate, you remember the girls, Annie, Jane, Mary, and Christina?” They nodded in turn and I smiled. “Let me introduce the rest of the members at this table. Howie, Kevin, Brian, Nick, and Alex. Formal guests of ours. Gentleman, a wonderful friend of mine and quite the fastest gun slinger, Doc Holliday and his woman, Kate.”
“Pleasure gentleman. I was goin’ to ask if I can meet you after the play. I have another old time friend I’m almost positive you would love to see again.”
“Wyatt is here?”
“I’m not sayin’ madam. Ladies, gentleman, enjoy the show. Goodbye Rachel.” He placed another kiss on the back of my hand and I smiled at him.
“How long have you known Doc?” I took a sip of the wine and thought for a moment.
“Damn seems like forever Nick. A good couple years. Doc was a man who hardly had any friends yet he befriended two men of the law. Wyatt Earp and my husband.”
“Your husband was a lawman?” I bite my lip but nodded my head. Too much had already slipped.
“Look, it’s startin’.” I smiled at Annie and turned my attention back to the stage, forgetting the brown eyes that were burning a whole in my head at the front of the stage, those ever deadly eyes of Johnny Ringo.

I placed my arm on the crook’s of Howie’s and walked out with the other partners.
“Look there, five lovely women Morgan.” I stopped and smiled at him.
“Wyatt Earp!” He bowed slightly and placed a kiss on my cheek.
“Lovely darlin’. Ladies.” He bowed to them as well, placing a kiss on each cheek.
“And Morgan. How are you doin’ darlin’?”
“Just fine ma’am.” I smiled and heard a soft voice clearing his throat.
“Piss ant, I’m dearly sorry Howie. Wyatt, let me introduce our friends. This is Howie. That’s Kevin with Annie. Um, Brian with Jane. Nick and Mary and Alex and Christina.”
“Pleasure.” He shook each hand in turned.
“Mr. Earp, just what are you doin’ here?” Annie asked, slowly fanning herself.
“Oh, making myself some money. Morgan and Virgil are goin’ be helpin’ of course.”
“Oh, the whole family is here,” Jane said, laughing a little.
“Wyatt, we have to go.”
“Of course. I’ll stop by later Rachel.” He placed another kiss on my cheek.
“Of course Wyatt.” I placed my arm back on Howie’s and smiled at him. But as I saw his eyes trial Wyatt, the smile faded. “Howie, you okay darlin’?” He glanced down at me.
“Just fine.”
“Let’s head back to the hotel, unless you fine gentleman have anything planned?” Christina asked, snapping her fan against Alex’s arm.
“None at all ma’am.”
Chapter 8 by ResaD
CHAPTER 8
“Somethin’ on your mind Howie?” Howie glanced up at the young lady and smiled.
“Not at all Jane. How are you ma’am?”
“Oh, I’m just fine. Thought I would come catch a breath of air. Bein’ inside all the time gets to be so damn stuffy.” Jane smiled and sat down on the porch chair.
“Jane, can I talk to you?”
“By all means sir.”
“How well do you know Rachel?”
“Pretty well. Us girls are like sisters of course.”
“Who was Rachel married to?” Jane tapped her nail against her chin and shook her head.
“I’m not all too sure actually. I don’t recall her ever tellin’ us.”
“You mean to tell me she worked with you all these years and never once mentioned her husband?”
“We often don’t talk about our past’s sir. It’s not like its private; we just choose to leave it there.”
“How well does she know Wyatt?”
“I do believe Mr. Howie that you are askin’ the wrong person these questions. If you want to find out about dear Rachel, ask Rachel. Don’t ask any of us. We often don’t sell out our fellow sister.”
“You’re not sellin’ her out. I fell ya’ll are in danger. We’re just tryin’ to protect to you.”
“Bounty hunters?”
“What?”
“Is that what ya’ll are, bounty hunters? Sorta, do whatever and whenever. Let the wind guide you?”
“Not…why yes, actually, that’s what we are.” Jane simply nodded her head and frowned.
“Surprisin’ I suppose, just why would you want to come to Tombstone? Very interestin’ indeed. If you’ll excuse me sir, I do recall I had a few things to do this afternoon.” Howie tipped his hat and smiled as she walked back inside.

“Annoyin’ little creatures gettin’ everywhere and under foot. I tell ya, if I could, I would shoot them. Piss ant rats.”
“Annie child, I swear you’re mind runs away sugar. It does its own thinkin’,” Christina said, laughing at the older woman.
“Jealous little thing aren’t ya? Upset ‘cause Ma always favored me.” Christina shot the nearest pillow at her sister.
“Now, I ain’t got no reason to be jealous. You might have been Ma’s favorite but Pa loved me and adored me.”
“Oh no he didn’t sister. Pa loved his son above all of us,” Mary added in. The ladies quieted down for a moment. “Do ya’ll miss them?”
“Sometimes.” Annie got up and walked over to the window, watching as the wind picked up some sand and let it ride its waves. “Being the oldest wasn’t always the nicest thing you know? I knew some truths that hurt.”
“Like what Annie?”
“Pa had a real bad drinkin’ problem when him and Ma first got married. Ya know Davy left because Pa used to abuse Davy and I? When he would come home drunk he would take his anger out on us, Ma hated it, but there wasn’t much she could do. It went on for a few months, the younger kids never seein’ it of course. And than the fire came. As horrible as it sounds, I wished for fire every night. Just to take Pa away, so I wouldn’t hurt. Ma had sold me though, sold me into this life. I had no choice but to take you little ones with me.” Annie bit her lip and shot a small smile toward the ladies. “I made a promise than and there, right on this porch step before I started it all. I promised I would never let anyone harm my family ever again. No man would ever hurt us, or they would live to pay for it.”

Kevin backed away from the door frame and glanced at Alex.
“What’s wrong?”
“Howie had a really bad idea.”
“The job needs to get done Kevin. Those girls are going to be the biggest help in getting Curly Bill and Johnny Ringo.”
“Let them hang them own selves. Ya know trouble is brewin’ with that gang of Cowboys and the Earps?”
“I heard, it’s the talk of the town.”
“Somethin’ is goin’ to go down; we’ll just be there to lend a helpin’ hand.”
“That could takes years and ya know Howie don’t want that Kevin.” Alex sighed and took his hat off. “Ya can’t think of them as ladies Kevin.”
“And think of them as what Alex? Whores?”
“It’s what they are.”
“But not by choice Alex. These women were pushed into fendin’ for themselves.”
“I know that.”
“Whatever happens, these women are strong, a lot stronger than what we’re given credit to.”
“And a lot smarter. Howie told ya what happened when he talked to Jane?”
“I don’t recall.”
“Blew him off. These ladies know we want somethin’ and know we’re going to get it.”
“And they want somethin’ in return.” Alex shrugged and smiled.
“Could just be a fair trade.” Kevin shot him a look.
“It ain’t no fair trade Alex and you damn well know that.”
“Ya just never know Kevin. Though, Tombstone might be a fine town to retire in. Lovely ladies.” Kevin laughed and shook his head.
“Let’s head out now.”

He watched as she drew the dress back into the water and scrubbed it down the board once again. He could only laugh to himself as she cussed out the dress.
“Wanna wash my shirt while you’re at it Mary?” Mary quickly whirled around and shot Nick a death look.
“I hate doin’ my own clothes, you want me to do yours?”
“It’s a woman’s job.” She planted her hands on hips and mimicked just what he said, making a face as well. “Did you want somethin’ to drink? I think someone just made some tea.”
“Thank you Nick, would be awful nice of you, but I’m fine. Just this one dress and I’m as good as done.”
“Did you want to do something tonight?”
“Like what?”
“I found a pretty little place a few miles out of town. Thought we might make a picnic for dinner.” Mary shook the dress out and glanced at Nick, seeing the smile tuggin’ at his lips.
“Just you and me?”
“Yes ma’am. You didn’t have to work tonight, did you?”
“I’m supposed to work every night as it goes.”
“I can…”
“Don’t even dare say those words Nick. There’s some men I’m allowed to be kind to. Sure you won’t get into trouble?”
“Never.” Mary walked over to him and shoved him down in the chair and sat on his lap, sliding her arm around his neck. She grabbed the hat and threw it on the ground.
“I have a question for you Nick.” He swallowed the lump in his throat and smiled.
“Yes ma’am.” Her lips found his cheek and placed a gentle kiss there. She slowly worked along his jaw till her lips were barely above his.
“Why are you so interested in me? What is that gang of boys you have?” Nick tried to focus on what she was saying but was losing the battle of his wits; with her on his lap and her body pressing against his.
“Nick!” Mary quickly pulled away and glared at Howie. “I do recall we have to work to do.”
“Yes sir. I was just talkin’.”
“Looked like you were doin’ more than talkin’. Hit it up Nick, we gotta ride.” Mary moved off his lap, offering her hand to help him up. He smiled as he placed a small kiss on the back.
“I’ll be back, so have dinner ready darlin’.” Mary smiled and nodded her head, watching him walk off.
“So very close.”
“Yes Annie, I was. Damn that Howie.” Mary smirked as she turned to Annie. “You know sister, if we want to find out information, I’m thinkin’ we’re gonna have to seduce these men. But we’re gonna have to make sure Howie is far away.”
“Sweet Mercy, Mary, such a devious mind you have.”
“Rachel darlin’!” Mary called.
Chapter 9 by ResaD
CHAPTER 9
I sat down on his lap, taking his hat off and ran my hands around the brim.
“Yes ma’am.” My gaze flew to his and I smirked.
“You’re ruinin’ my business Howie.”
“I’m sorry ma’am.”
“I hardly doubt that.” I leaned against his chest and smiled to myself when his arm slipped around my waist. “Though, you can help us.”
“In what sense?”
“We need money.”
“I ain’t robbin’ nothin’.”
“Oh, no, I’m not thinkin’ that at all.” I caught his earlobe in my teeth and I heard his quick in take of breath. “Howie, it’s quite plain I want you and,” I moved my hips a little and smiled, “its plain you want me.”
“I don’t deny you’re lovely ma’am.” I pouted my lips a little and frowned.
“I don’t want you to think I’m just lovely hon. I want more than that. I want to prove to you I’m not lousy at all.” Howie jumped a little and shook his head.
“Ma’am, I don’t, I mean, I know you’re not lousy.”
“Just what in dear God’s name is goin’ on in here?” I jumped up as I heard the door slam open and moved off of Howie’s lap as I stared into Ringo’s eyes.
“Johnny, didn’t know you were back in town.”
“I am.” He stalked towards me and I backed away, my back hitting the wall. “I’m takin’ what is mine.”
“I will never be yours and you damn well know that you little piss ant.” His hand connected with my cheek and I quickly covered it.
“Don’t tempt me to hurt you woman.”
“That’s enough Ringo. Leave the lady alone.” Johnny turned around and glared at Howie.
“It’s your fault. You came in this place, turnin’ their minds against us.”
“Get out Ringo.” He glared at Howie and quickly stalked out the door, slamming it behind him. “Rachel.”
“Don’t touch me. Do you understand that I just lost my money? Everything that has happened is your fault. Damn you Howie.” I ran past him and upstairs, slamming my bedroom door behind me.

“They’re gone.”
“Who is Annie?”
“The Cowboys. Ran into Ike and Billy down at the Crystal Palace tonight. They said that Curly and Ringo didn’t want to come here anymore.” I sighed and turned and looked at her.
“Well, just what are we gonna do now?”
“Help the Gang?” Our eyes flew to Jane. “They said they would pay us to help them?”
“Help them? They destroyed us and they want us to help them?”
“They’re willin’ to pay, Rachel.” I slammed the book down on the table and glared at her.
“Pay for information?”
“It’s not like you loved Ringo anyways.”
“You’re damn right, I didn’t. But thanks to them my life is ruined, our lives are ruined. They were a big part of business and once word gets out that those men want nothin’ to do with us, you think other men are gonna come? Sides, I still don’t know anythin’ about them and so help me, I’ll find somethin’ out.” I stormed past her and into the kitchen.

“Mary, I want to help you.”
“Help with what Nick?”
“I don’t like you doin’ this, sellin’ yourself.” Mary shifted and looked at Nick. She saw the hard set of his jaw and sighed.
“Nick, you don’t have that control over me.”
“But I can.” Mary sighed again and wrapped the blanket around her upper body. She pushed the hair back behind her ears and shook her head.
“I’m not the type of woman that you can just make your wife Nick. I’m sure you’re family won’t be happy when you take me home. Damn Nick, I don’t even know to be a lady. This,” Mary said, sweeping her hand around in the air, showing off the grass and dirt, “this is all I know. All I’ll ever know. My life don’t go beyond on this.”
“You’re wrong Mary. There’s somethin’ about you, somethin’ that sets you apart from the other ladies.”
“Nick, we’re the Wild Gals, that means somethin’ in Tombstone. We’re not refined and we’ll never be. Sides, I don’t want to be.”
“You don’t want to change?”
“Sure, I don’t like it. But ain’t no man bossin’ me around. I ain’t gotta clean after a man or nothin’. Nick, please don’t think like that.”
“Mary I think I’m fallin’ in love…”
“Don’t even utter those words cause them ain’t true. You’re just a stranger rollin’ through.”
“No, I’m here on a mission.”
“What is it Nick?” He ran his fingers through his hair.
“I can’t say it.”
“Nick, you want me to be with you, yet I have to trust, I, I have to know you. Knowin’ nothin’ ain’t helpin’. Please Nick, I won’t tell a soul if you don’t want me to.”
“The President wants the Cowboy band broken’ up. The guys, we’re United States Marshals and we swore we would bring both Curly Bill and Johnny Ringo in.”

“Alex, are you okay?” Alex took a breath and glanced at the woman who was currently lying on his chest.
“Just thinkin’.”
“About what?”
“The other guys.” Christina rose an eyebrow and smiled.
“Well, there’s somethin’ to dampin’ the mood. I mean, I try my best to seduce you and once I have, you’re thoughts turn to your friends.”
“Trust me, the mood is still there.” Christina snuggled closer and nodded her head.
“Good, cause I like beein’ like this.”
“In my arms?”
“Of course. I fell safe, secure here.”
“I like you here.” Christina smiled and kissed the chest that she was currently laying upon. “May I ask you somethin’?”
“Go ahead Alex.”
“If I asked, would you give all this up and move with me?”
“Move where?”
“Back to my land.” Christina stared at him for a few moments and shook her head. She got off the bed and grabbed her robe, slowly putting it on.
“Move with you? Into your house? As what?”
“My wife.”
“Oh hell no. I’m not a wife, I’ll never be a wife.”
“Why do you claim that?”
“Cause it’s the truth. I could never be a wife. Stay home, cook, clean? God no, that ain’t me. I’m too much of a woman. I enjoy the drinkin’ and partyin’. And no. Why would you think that?”
“Cause you deserve better?”
“And you think you’re better?”
“I know I’m better.” Christina laughed and walked over to the window.
“You know, you’re not the only man who has thought he could make me his own.”
“I’m sure I won’t be the last if you refuse.”
“Oh mind yourself Alex, I can fend for myself. I’ve been doin’ it for quite sometime now.”
“I know you can.”
“Why me? I mean it Alex. Hell, are you offerin’?”
“No, I’m askin’ you somethin’ Christina, it’s that simple. I want you.”
“You want to own me. You tasted the goods and you want them for yourself.”
“This is nothin’ like that and you damn well know it.”
“I do? So trust me, tell me what you do in life.”
“I, I can’t.” Christina rose an eyebrow and shook her head.
“You can’t or you won’t?”
“I can’t.” Christina turned her gaze back out the window and Alex felt the blow. “What I’m gonna tell you, you can’t tell another livin’ soul Christina.”
“I promise.”
“We’re, we work for the President.”
“As what?”
“Marshals, United States Marshals and we were told to bring two men.”
“Ringo and Bill.”
“Yes. Had to break up the Cowboys.”
Chapter 10 by ResaD
CHAPTER 10
“You’re gonna loose the game Kevin.”
“Just hush Rachel.”
“I’m tellin’ ya, you don’t play poker. It’s okay, trust me hon’.”
“Annie, please explain to dear Rachel just…”
“Honey, you’re good at lots of things. This just ain’t one of them.” Kevin threw his hand down and glared at Annie. “It’s the truth sugar.”
“Okay, Howie, you wanna finish this hand?”
“Actually, let’s just end it. I personally don’t feel like playin’ anymore,” Annie said, throwing her hand down as well.
“Than be careful if you go out Annie,” I warned her. I smiled as she slipped her hand through Kevin’s arm.
“Do you dance?” Annie glanced at Kevin and shook her head.
“Sometimes. If the partner was right.”
“I have a confession.” Annie stepped outside and pulled the shawl tighter around her shoulders.
“What’s on your mind sugar?”
“I over heard you talkin’ to the other ladies. Talkin’ about your family.”
“Do you make it a point to listen to other people’s conversation?”
“Not usually. I swear I was goin’ to tell you…”
“What do you want Kevin?”
“To offer you somethin’ better.” Annie laughed and turned to face him.
“There is nothin’ better Kevin. This is my life. The only thing I know how to do.”
“You’re a lady damn it.”
“Not in this age. And what could you offer that’s better?”
“Come back with me. I can offer you a job.”
“As what, your personal whore?”
“No.”
“Bull shit Kevin. You call me a lady yet you treat me no better than a whore. You think I lack the smarts to do better. I don’t. But I know as a woman, there is nothin’ in this world I can do to support myself and my family.”
“Be a wife.”
“Ahh, yes, and the offers are just pourin’ in, right? You know, enjoy your walk.”
“Annie…”
“Thanks for the offer, but I won’t do it.” With that, she let herself back into the hotel.

“You know somethin’ Annie.” I sat down next to Annie on the couch and reached for the whiskey bottle she was currently holding.
“Mary wanted to seduce the men to get the information we wanted.” I took a swig of the drink.
“Great.”
“What do you mean by that?”
“Mary can’t be found. Christina and Jane’s doors are closed.”
“Great.”
“You talk to Kevin?”
“Yeah.”
“About what?” She took the bottle and took another drink.
“Wanted to see me do somethin’ more. So than he offered me a job doin’ somethin’ or other.” She hiccupped and chuckled. “Treated me nothin’ better than a whore. Guess that’s what I’ll be. Can’t change my life.” I shook my head, understanding her pain. “You talked to Howie?”
“Not since Ringo came here. Annie, I don’t know what’s goin’ on.”
“No one does love. Look, go catch yourself some sleep. I’ll be fine.”
“Night Annie.”
“Night Rachel darlin’.” She stared at the small fire and finally dared to close her eyes.

“Rachel we have to talk.” I put my book down and nodded to the chair across from me.
“Yes Wyatt?”
“Has Johnny talked to you?”
“Why would he?”
“Because trouble is really brewin’ between the law and them.”
“Now Wyatt, you’re askin’ me to do somethin’ I don’t do.”
“I’m askin’ as a lawman for your help.”
“Piss on the law Wyatt. The law stole my life away. The law stole my husband.”
“Your husband died…”
“My husband was murdered. There’s a great deal of difference!”
“Rachel…”
“Pat was a wonderful man, Wyatt. You knew him. But he messed up, accordin’ to the man, the President. But my Pat wasn’t like that. So, the Man, sent his marshals to do away with him, with the man I loved. They never told you that did they?”
“No ma’am.”
“To save your sorry ass, I would tell you. But not for the law, never for the law.”

“Annie…” Annie turned around and smiled.
“Well, if it ain’t Curly Bill.”
“We need to talk.”
“About what?”
“Come with me.” He grabbed her upper arm and pulled her to nearest corner. “You happen to know who’s stayin’ in your hotel?”
“The gang?”
“Not just any gang Annie. They’re United States Marshals.”
Chapter 11 by ResaD
CHAPTER 11
“May I sit here?”
“Park it cowboy.”
“You know Rachel, I heard you talkin’ to Wyatt this afternoon.” I sighed but smiled at Howie. “I’m just sorry that it happened.”
“It’s in the past, right? I have to think about my life now and only now.”
“Right.”
“You gonna tell me what you do?” He took a deep breath and smiled.
“Just some ridin’ through town.”
“Been here a while for that.”
“I like the town.”
“I think you like more than the town.”
“I like you.”
“I like you too. You have your moments at least.” He laughed and turned his attention back to the horizon.
“Every think about leavin’?”
“Leavin’ the town or my business?”
“Both I guess.”
“Leavin’ the business, it’s hard. I have to make a livin’ some how and for a woman, this is it. Here in town, no man wants me. They all know what I do, what I’ve done. Some odd reason, the men here have a strange code about themselves. As for the town, I like Tombstone. It’s a quiet little town and even though there’s hardly any law, I still love it. Why you askin’ cowboy?” He shrugged but turned his attention back to me. I smiled at him.
“Just askin’. Wonderin’, I suppose.”
“Somethin’ on your mind.”
“Yeah. I’ll be honest. I was sent to Tombstone to do a job ma’am.”
“I’m takin’ a guess, but somethin’ to do with the Cowboys.”
“How did you know?”
“You askin’ about them and you dislike them. Don’t take a genius to figure somethin’ is up.”
“You’re right. But, I don’t think I was supposed to meet you and fall under your spell.” I shrugged this time and grabbed his hand.
“Trust me cowboy, you ain’t the only one.” He smiled as I yanked him up and led him to my room.

“God damn it Rachel, open this fuckin’ door right now.” I yawned and shoved against the chest I was laying upon.
“Hold on, Annie.” I removed myself from his arms and grabbed my robe. I yanked the door open, tying the sash around my waist. “What is wrong?”
“We have trouble. Lots of trouble.” I frowned and shook my head.
“Trouble with who?”
“The Cowboys have called out the Earps. They’re waitin’ for the law men at the O.K. Corral.”
“They mean to fight them. The Cowboys won’t win.”
“We know that but them boys don’t.”
“Who’s all callin’ them out?”
“Ike, Billy.”
“Bill or Johnny?”
“Last I heard no, but I don’t know.”
“Go down, talk some sense into those men. I’m gonna find Wyatt and try to get to him. And send someone to Ringo, tell him he needs to stop actin’ so damn immature.”
“Yes Rachel.” I sighed and closed the door as she left.
“Trouble?”
“As always.” I yanked off my robe and pulled my dress on. I sighed yet again and shook me head, letting Howie button up my dress.
“Wanna talk.”
“Don’t have time to talk. Listen, just stay here, I gotta stop somethin’ before anythin’ happens. And please don’t get into trouble.” I softly kissed his lips and walked out of my room, yanking my boots on as I left. Howie walked downstairs, seeing Kevin and Brian sitting at the kitchen table.
“Send Nick and Alex to round up the Cowboys at the O.K. Corral. And we’ll go find Ringo. I’m sending them out today.”
“Rachel gonna know.”
“Like they don’t know already?”
“I swear, I didn’t say a word Howie.”
“I know you didn’t Kevin. But I know the others did. I was about too last night, just didn’t have the heart to.”
“Of course, not with the way she was…” Howie glared at Kevin and Brian laughed.
“Let’s head out.”

I ran along the walk away and stood outside the jail.
“Ya’ll are gonna either get yourselves killed or hurt. Stop this.”
“They’re breakin’ the law Rachel.”
“I know that Virgil. You think I don’t. But I know those men. They’re serious and they’re out for blood, ya’lls blood.”
“Rachel, this ain’t got nothin’ to do with you.”
“It has everythin’ to do with me Wyatt. You and Doc are amongst my best friends. And the same for Virg and Morgan. You think I’m just gonna lay low and let them hurt you?”
“You don’t have a choice woman.”
“Wyatt, please, I’m askin’ you not to do this.”
“Rachel, go on and leave. We have to arrest them.”
“You think just cause I’m a woman I have no brain to understand just how badly this will go down, but I know. You’re askin’ for Hell gentleman. And when it comes, don’t say nothin’ to me. I’m warnin’ ya’ll just this once.”
“Rachel, darlin’, leave.” I glared at Doc one last time and stormed right back down the street. I waved to Jane as she ran over to me, grabbing my arm.
“We gotta reach Ringo, tell him to get his men and leave.”
“He won’t go.”
“He will if I beg.”
“Rachel, we have to talk.” I stopped dead in my tracks as I stared at Howie, Kevin and Brian holding Billy and Johnny in custody.
“What is goin’ on?”
“We’re bringin’ them to our boss.”
“Which is who?” I demanded out of Howie.
“The President of the United States.”
“That means…”
“They’re U.S. Marshals.” I glared at Howie.
“I swear I was gonna tell you.”
“Just when? After you fucked me or before?” I turned on my heel and left him standin’ there. “Round up the girls.”
“Rachel, I swear, I was gonna say…”
“Round up the girls Jane. If the Cowboys hurt my friends today, I’m goin’ after them. And I will either do it with or without your help.”
“Yes ma’am.”
Chapter 12 by ResaD
CHAPTER 12
“Yes, Rachel, we knew. I’m guessin’ most of us found out last night.” I sighed and laughed to myself.
“I dared to trust him. Trust another man. I hated all U.S. Marshals for a damn good reason. They murdered my husband. He did, a younger, untamed version of Howie.”
“What?”
“That’s why I thought I knew him. It all adds up now.”
“Excuse me ladies, you seen Brian or them?” All heads turned up and looked at Alex.
“They left. Took Billy and Ringo.”
“Good.”
“They left you of course,” I stated again.
“We know our way home. But that means we can stop.”
“Stop what?” Alex shoved Nick and groaned. “Stop what gentleman?”
“Nothin’ ma’am.”
“Don’t be a little shit Alex, stop what?” They glanced at each other and finally Alex sighed.
“Howie, I mean, we really needed to get the two leaders of the Cowboys, to stop the gang and they’re power. When we came into town, we asked around, findin’ out who knew them the best and the same answer was the Wild Gals.”
“So, we thought that if we could talk to you, we would be closer to them and we could break the power up.”
“You used us?”
“I didn’t, we didn’t want to Rachel.”
“Alex, you used us! You lied to us.”
“Not at all Christina.” Christina shook her head and held on to Jane’s hand.
“Don’t even talk. I can’t believe you. All of you. Get out.”
“Christina…”
“Get out of here. You, all of you, lied. You hurt us. Had us believin’ you wanted somethin’ better for us. Yet you treat us like any other man treats us, like we’re nothin’ better than whores.”
“I didn’t…”
“Now, God damn it.” Nick grabbed Alex’s arm and shook his head.
“Ride out Alex. We gotta catch up with them.” Alex pulled his hat on, took one last look at the tears in Christina’s eyes and walked out of the hotel.

“Annie, can I ask you somethin’?”
“What’s on your mind darlin’?”
“I just..” She stopped and played with the glass. “Business is slow.”
“After the shoot out, I think things changed. You know, I’m scared actually. All the Cowboys know we told our information to the Marshals.”
“Do you miss them Annie?” Annie thought for a moment and smiled.
“Yes, I do Mary. I never told you this, and God forbid, don’t tell Rachel, but Kevin came back. I feel in love with him Mary, the hardest thing to do.”
“We all did I think. What happened with you two?”
“Oh, he finally got to seduce me.” Annie smiled and Mary laughed. “Just one time, he said he couldn’t go without holding me one time.”
“It hurts even worse.”
“Yes, I suppose it does.”
“You don’t know, do you?”
“Know what Mary?”
“No, she wasn’t there,” I said. The two girls turned and glanced at me. “Bad mistake sleepin’ with that man.”
“Why on Earth would you say somethin’ like that?”
“They used us Annie. In the worst possible way. They wanted the men and they got them and they thanked us. They were just tryin’ to get the information and they got it.”
“Why, they wouldn’t do that.”
“Alex and Nick confessed it. They’ll piss ant’s Annie and it will do you a world of good to start forgettin’ about Kevin right now.” Annie glanced at her younger sister and saw the tears forming in her eyes.
“Oh my God.” She stood and walked away from the table, going upstairs to her room.

“You heard about the Cowboys?” I glanced over at Annie and shook my head. “Power is broken up.”
“Yea, after they kill Morgan.”
“Hey, Rachel, it was his fault, you know that. He got mixed up in this mess.”
“I know that.”
“There’s more though.” After a few moments of silence I turned my attention back to her. She stared out my window, a frown written all over her features.
“Annie, what’s wrong?”
“Rachel, they’re sayin’ around town that Ike is, well, the sorta leader. And he’s comin’ after us.”
“Us? What for?”
“For helpin’ the marshals.”
“We had no part in that and you damn well know that.”
“The town wont mind bein’ rid of a few more whores”
“You think they’ll kill off a family?”
“What do you mean?”
“Annie, I’m pregnant. That last night with Howie, so much happened.”
“Than leave Rachel. Go after that man.”
“Not after what happened.”
“It’s been two months. Rachel, I’m sure everythin’ is fine.”
“You gonna talk to Kevin?” I watched as she drew her gaze away, I watched as she fumbled with the water pitcher and I watched as her breaths got short.
“I can’t, I mean…”
“Things have changed.” Annie just nodded her head.
“I’m gonna let you rest darlin’.”
Chapter 13 by ResaD
CHAPTER13
“What do you mean she’s pregnant?”
“Darlin’, Jane, I’m sure you had yourself some pleasure?” The crimson touch to her cheeks proved Annie was right. “And I’m sure for just a few moments; you threw caution into the wind?”
“So, what are we goin’ do?”
“I have no clue Christina.”
“The Cowboys are after our asses. I’m not about to let my best friend die with that poor, helpless babe inside her.”
“No one wants that Mary. But what do we do?”
“We fight back,” I said, walking into the kitchen. “The Cowboys wanna think they can easily get us, let them try. But, accordin’ to my calculations, they’re in Shakesphere, New Mexico right now. And they won’t come lookin’ for us for quite a while. We’re not helpless females, never have been.”
“But the baby, Rachel..”
“Is my problem Jane. I’ll be fine. You in?”
“Of course.”
“First thing first, we’re all writin’ some love letters. Tell them what we plan to do and let them know just how much they are loved.

She looked at the endless black sky and sighed. ‘Where to begin?’ She placed the quill on the paper and soon her heart flowed free…

My Dearest Nick,
You have proved to me so very much. Showed me that a woman should be treasured, should be loved. And you loved me. You took all my faults in hand and loved me. You didn’t try to change me, didn’t want to change me. And above all, you understood me. And for that, you shall forever have my heart.
I’m letting you know this now because I’m not sure I’ll ever see you again. Though, you dance in my mind all the time. The Cowboys are out to find us, kill us, because we helped some U.S. Marshals. I don’t regret any part of my life, except letting you go. When you read this, I’m probably already gone, but believe me when I say that I won’t go without a fight. And I ask you remember one thing only Nick, to remember I love you, now and forever.
Your Dearest,
Mary

She placed the letter on her dresser and blew the candle out, letting the room bathe in the darkness.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
She tapped her nails on her desk, her eyes fixed on her wall. She replayed the images of that precious night in her mind, her thoughts finally forming.

My Darlin’ Alex,
I suppose this is something new for you to receive, if you get it. From the start, we have known something was special about one another and with that, we understood each other. I have replayed, in my mind, the things we did and the words we spoke. I have lost so much in my life, including a love that will never die. Oh, Alex, it pains me to say that, but it’s so true.
The Cowboys, the evil men we entertained, are out for our blood. But have faith, for one of you once said we had more strength than noted and that is true. We’re going to fight back to protect our lives. But I can’t promise we can survive. If by chance I don’t Alex, know that I never stopped loving you. Will never stop loving you. I will be yours and only yours.
Your Darlin’
Christina

She dropped her head on her arms and sighed, letting the tears flow down her cheeks and landing on the paper.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
She closed her eyes and smiled to herself, the candlelight playing off her face. She laughed a little and nodded her head.

My Lovin’ Kevin,
Oh, that night, that sweet night. I can still feel your hands caressing my body. Still hear the sound of your voice as you spoke so very softly to me. And yet I miss it. The first time I missed a man’s touch. If you came back and asked me to leave with you, I would Kevin, I would. But, if you’re reading this, I do believe you won’t ask me. As you will hear soon, if you don’t know that is, the Cowboys thought they would help themselves, since someone had to pay for the evil injustice.
And we were the first target. The rumors flew over the towns and finally came to us, saying they wanted our blood. I’m telling you this because you know me in every sense, I fought, with my dying breath, I fought. I’m fighting to be with you, but I know I won’t win. Oh, how much I love you Kevin. I wish I had told you, wished I hadn’t waited to long to let you know. If you ever loved me, even a little, remember that we’ll be together soon.
Your Loving,
Annie

She walked over to her window, her eyes taking in the town of Tombstone and wondering just where they could hide themselves in the mean time.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
She sat down on the back porch and softly rocked herself in the chair. She lifted the book that held the paper and sighed. She opened it and for a few moments, stared at the blank paper.

My Only Brian,
I’m sitting here, on the back porch, remembering the first time we talked. Such a sweet voice, a sweet voice that loved me until the breaking dawn. Lord knows we need more men like you in this world we know. I choose not to recall too much about my past, but you’re all I can think of. Even you face can haunt my dreams. Your sweet and tender words are all I seem to hear. And I know, deep within, that with my dying breath, that’s all I’m going to know.
As I’m sure you will soon find out, The Cowboys are out for us. They think we have wronged them, but we know we didn’t. The Wild Gals just wished to make themselves known for something good, not something bad. Alas my love, I’m sorry to say, but I love you, now and forever.
You’re Only One,
Jane

She sighed and turned her attention back to the stars. She smiled as one darted across the night sky. Taking a small breath, she made her wish.
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
I sat down at the piano and gazed down at the ivory keys. What memories we had in this wonderful place. I smiled to myself and thought about the up coming days.

My Sweetest Howie,
How do I tell you what I know? What I feel? For so long I have learned to hide my feelings or at least not have them. And you waltzed into my life, turning my world upside down. Not even my late husband did that. I suppose to most ladies that would be a sign. To me, I’m not quite sure what to make of it. Just know it’s rather hard for me to express what I’m feeling for someone like you. I mean someone who I should hate for the pain you have caused. Pain you probably didn’t know you had. Oh, sweet Howie, I can’t explain in a letter, but I’m not all too sure you will ever understand. I can’t begin to tell you how sweet you made my days here. And I do love you.
You know we won’t back down and we won’t die without our fight. I suppose now is the right time to say goodbye love. And to ask you always remember us. And yes, somewhere in this world, is your daughter or son, look for it love.
Your Sweet Love,
Rachel

I placed my hands on the keys and played a few sad notes and than hummed a song. A children’s song. I hung my head and let out a deep breath. If they only knew.

I leaned against the porch railing and watched as the people walked by, the ladies with their umbrella’s blocking out the hot sun.
“Good day,” the gentleman would say and the ladies would slap their arms. I slowly drew the fan back and forth, letting the cool air cool me down.
“Funny, ain’t they? Poor ladies won’t even look at us.” I glanced at the younger girl and smiled. “These months are drifting by so slow.”
“No one wants us anymore. Hell, I’m not sure I want to do this anymore.”
“You?” I took a sip of my drink and laughed.
“Yes, me. Being pregnant does that, I suppose. It’s surprisin’. Though, Howard may never know about it.”
“You wrote it in the letter. Not the same as tellin’ him though.”
“Ladies.” I turned my attention back to the young man standing in front of me. I smiled and nodded my head. “I’m to deliver a message to a Ms. Rachel.”
“I’m Rachel.”
“The Cowboys are back ma’am and I’ve been sent to forewarn you, Ike will come for you.” I held my breath for a few moments and slowly nodded my head.
“Thank you, sir.” I sat down and stared down the road, praying that the man would not come walking down it.
“One last chance to leave?” I turned around to Annie and frowned.
“I have never run away from a fight and I’m not startin’ now.”
“Than we shall have to protect you.”
“Friends till the end. A promise made so long ago. If it’s a fight that Ike wants, than it’s a fight he’s gonna get. Make sure we have the guns ready. And pack up the house as best you can. We’re movin’ to the house in the back.”
Chapter 14 by ResaD
CHAPTER 14
Jane looked out the window, watching the dirt road, seeing nothing walking down it.
“I hate waitin’.”
“Mary, sit down. You’re makin’ us nervous.”
“There’s nothin’ to be nervous about. If we’re meant to die, we’re dyin’ together. I ain’t ashamed to die with friends or for what I did damn it.” My eyes blazed and I opened the door, clutching the handle. “Damn.”
“Rachel, what’s wrong?” I leaned against the wall, biting my lip.
“I’m in pain Annie.” She ran over to me and clutched my hand, pulling me to the bed that laid by the window. “Ow!” I screamed as a sudden pain rushed down from my stomach.
“She’s goin’ into labor. Mary, quick, come help me.” Mary ran to get some water and Christina stayed with Jane, being the lookouts for the time being.
“Annie, I ain’t ready for this baby to come out tonight! Not now!”
“Rachel, darlin’ you ain’t got a choice. I’m not sure if you worked it up or it’s just early.” She ran her hand over my forehead, trying to soothe me.
“They’re comin’.” I turned and looked at Jane. Her eyes opened wide and I heard the first crunch of boots on rocks.
“I think…Damn it!” I bite down on the pillow that Mary was holding. She looked at Annie and than at Jane.
“Go stop them!” Jane ran out of the room and stood by Christina.
“Ladies, we want Rachel, not you!” Ike said, stopping but a few steps away.
“Than you have to get through us, Ike. Rachel ain’t dyin’ by your hand.” Ike let out a breath.
“Don’t tempt me damn it. I don’t like killin’ women.”
“Ladies, damn you! We’re not just women!” Christina shouted. Ike pulled out his guns and trained them on both women. “Stupid move Ike, you ain’t go one behind you.” Christina pulled out her gun, trained it and smirked.

I breathed in and out, hearing the shouting, though trying not to think about it. I heard a gun getting cocked and more guns and than turned to the door. I bit back a scream as I felt the baby start to push its way into this world. Annie squeezed my hand when we heard shots and I let the tears flow, knowing those were friends I would never see. I closed my eyes, slowly feeling the pain go away.
“She’s bleedin’ too much Mary.” Mary looked up at Annie and tried to stop crying. “We’re gonna lose her!”
“If we haven’t already.”
“No time to worry now.” They turned to the door, firing the guns that were strapped to the thighs, yet never succeeding. Through half open eyes, I watched as my friends fall down, the blood coming from the wounds they had. I felt the fall of my chest slow down and than stop completely.

“Theresa?” I felt the violent shakes and moaned out loud. “She’s coming too. Good. THERESA!” I held my head and slowly opened my eyes
“Wh…” I licked my lips and tried to speak again. “What?”
“You okay girlie?” I looked up and saw Shannon.
“What happened?”
“You passed out.”
“For how long Terri?”
“Few hours.” I sat up in the bed and stared at them. I looked around the room and than ran to the window, seeing the old house, most of it burnt down. They stared at me, frowns etched on their faces as I ran from the room and into that house.
“I did not see this before. You guys, this were the Wild Gals died! I was here, that’s why I passed out. I was sent back in time. You all were there. I know I was not the only one who passed out.”
“We slept, but never passed out.” I looked at Terri. “Girl, are you sure you’re okay?”
“Damn it, I’m fine.” I looked around the room, spotting a book by the bed. I went to it and slowly lifted it up, holding it gently.
“What’s that?” Jennifer asked. I looked at her and shrugged.
“Well, read it.” I laughed at Megan and opened the first page, scanning the contents.

~^~ We heard the rumors once we hit the town. The Wild Gals were killed in the small house behind their main hotel. The town, of course, is happy. Yet our hearts are in pain, we’re in pain. We loved them, all of us. U.S. Marshals aren’t nothin’ if we don’t have women to come home too. None of us were lyin’ when we said we wanted them. We buried their bodies in a lot near the hotel. The town of course didn’t want that, but they couldn’t stop us. I must bid this goodbye, it’s much too painful. >Nick< ~^~

I looked up and at the ladies. They all glanced around, eyes finally falling on Megan.
“There’s other pages.” I cleared my voice.

~^~ We found the notes. They loved us. Though, still sad, we’re thrilled. We’re riding out shortly, nothin’ left in Tombstone for us. Though, Howie still won’t let anyone read his letter, said it was much too personal. We’re hoping that he finds what he’s lookin’ for. After that, we leave. >Kevin< ~^~

“There’s a whole lot more to these, but this one is the final one, it’s by Howard.”

~^~ She was pregnant and she died givin’ birth to our baby girl. Angel, that’s what someone called her. I’m guessin’ Ike found her and got help. I went searchin’ for Angel, she’s so pretty. I put her in a good home. I just hope no one mentions her mother. Not that I’m ashamed of the woman I loved…love. She was a strong willed woman and it amazes me that she died givin’ birth, but I don’t want Angel to be ashamed. I hope someday I can come back to Tombstone and see her. Gotta ride out now >Howard< ~^~
Chapter 15 by ResaD
CHAPTER 15
I closed the book and looked out the window.
“It’s all so real.”
“It’s history, Megan,” I said, smiling at her.
“I know. But, all this is proof. It’s just amazing.”
“I know we were meant to be friends,” Shannon said, laughing as we walked out of the house.
“Let’s get something to eat.” I nodded my head, agreeing with Jennifer.

“It’s a historical place, Kevin.” Howie rolled his eyes and AJ laughed.
“What’s with him and all these history places?” AJ asked, whispering it to Howie.
“How should I know?”
“Don’t you guys think this stuff is cool? I mean, these places once existed.”
“They still do, Nick.”
“I know, Kevin. But, these cities thrived back in the old west. And Tombstone is still the same, maybe just a tad bit more modern.” Once again, Howie rolled his eyes. They walked down one road, taking in the surrounding buildings.
“Damn, Tombstone was small,” Brian said, chuckling to himself. Howie stopped walking, watching as a group of girls came out of the nearest bar.

I laughed as Megan said something and turned to look down the street. I looked around, feeling a pair of eyes on me. My eyes locked with his, throwing me back into a time period that I knew little about. My heart quickened and I felt someone touching my arm, but my gaze would never leave his. He smiled and I felt my lips turn up.
“Theresa?” Someone waved their hand in front of my face and I turned my gaze on them.
“What Terri?”
“Do you know that guy?” I looked back at him and nodded my head.
“Know that book I was reading? Written by those guys?” The girls turned and looked, not believing what I was telling them. “Trust me.” The shook their heads and started pulling my arm but Howie walked over and grabbed my arm.
“Rachel?” The girls dropped my arm and started at Howie.
“In a sense. Theresa now. But, yeah, I once was Rachel.” He smiled and grabbed my hand, placing a kiss there.
“Theresa is just as nice.”
“Come on, Howie,” Nick called out.
“Stop by the place. It’s mine once again.” He nodded his head and ran to catch up with the rest of the guys.

I opened the door and smiled at the guys as they walked in.
“Kevin, pleasure. Nick, AJ, Brian, welcome. My friends, Terri, Megan, Shannon, and Jennifer.” They smiled and walked into the saloon, talking a long the way. “Hello, Howie.”
“Hello.” He walked in and smiled. “You haven’t changed it.”
“Just got it. But, no, I’m gonna keep it the same.” He nodded his head and turned and faced me.
“Is it odd that we know each other?”
“For them,” I said, nodding my head in the direction of the saloon, “but not for me, for us.”
“So, than it won’t sound odd for me to be saying that I love you.” He wrapped his arms around my waist.
“Oh God no. In fact, I think I’ve been waiting years for that. I love you too.” He softly pressed his lips against mine and smiled.
“And how did you know it was me on that road?” I smiled to myself and kissed him once again.
“There’s always a road for love.”
“Really?” I simply nodded my head and felt him press a kiss to my forehead. “And what is it called?”
“Journey of the heart.”
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9662