Love Or Honor by ResaD
Summary:
__________________________________________________________
Theresa had hooked up with AJ when they were actually both coming out of rehab, although, that was a bit of information he never bothered to explain to anyone! And, as is the case for most people, that bugged her! But, she loved him, so she was willing to look past his faults.

And than, enter Howie, who had the honor of meeting Theresa, and for one brief night, had an amazing time! But he thought she was long gone, so he was shocked when he saw her and all those feelings, and thoughts, came pounding back, not just for him, but for her.

Now, the hard part of any relationship. Theresa helped AJ kick all those habits, and she was more than worried he would go back to them if she left. But Howie needed her and for some strange reason, her heart still longed for him. But, did she stay out of honor, or follow her heart for love?


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ, Brian, Group, Howie, Kevin, Nick, Other
Genres: Drama, Dramedy, Romance, Suspense
Warnings: Violence
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 11738 Read: 22732 Published: 06/08/09 Updated: 05/14/10

1. Chapter 1 by ResaD

2. Chapter 2 by ResaD

3. Chapter 3 by ResaD

4. Chapter 4 by ResaD

5. Chapter 5 by ResaD

6. Chapter 6 by ResaD

7. Chapter 7 by ResaD

8. Chapter 8 by ResaD

9. Chapter 9 by ResaD

10. Chapter 10 by ResaD

11. Chapter 11 by ResaD

12. Chapter 12 by ResaD

13. Chapter 13 by ResaD

14. Chapter 14 by ResaD

15. Chapter 15 by ResaD

Chapter 1 by ResaD
Chapter 1
“Hey, are you okay?” His fingers wrapped around my chin and lifted up my face so my eyes were meeting his. “Resa?”

“AJ, I’m not ready.”

“It’s only the guys.” Oh yeah, only the guys. These ‘guys’ were his best friends, his brothers. Hell, I was starting to wonder if they were closer than his other family. And I meet Denise. She was shocked at first, really seeing how I looked nothing like his ex’s, but she told AJ after that she totally loved. I was please by that, but that did not prepare me for the rest of the guys. “They will love you. Besides, does it really matter what they say?”

“Don’t lie! You know it does. That’s what scares me!”

“Really.” He squeezed my hand, letting my feelings just swooshed over his head. He opened the door, ushering me in before him. I really didn’t want to be here. At least I should be thankful that it was a small together. I closed my eyes, whispered a silent prayer and stepped into the entry way, hearing the rowdiness coming form the back yard. AJ grabbed my hand as he led me through the house and into the back yard. I glanced around me and saw all the family pictures. There was tons of Brian and his son, but only a couple with Bri’s wife. “Leigh took most of the pics.” I turned and smiled, thanking him. He squeezed my hand as he led me outside. “Let the party begin, AJ is here!” All eyes turned to him and than to me. “Guys, this is my love, Theresa.” A tall blonde stepped up to me and offered me his hand.

“I’m Nick.”

“It’s a pleasure.”

“I’m sorry, but you’re not what I was expecting.” I smiled, already knowing this was the comment of the day.

“A blue eyed, blonde hair looking super model?”

“I’m sorry. That was really shallow of me.”

“Look, don’t sweat it Nick. No, I’m not what anyone is expecting. And that’s good, since I’ve turned AJ around.”

“You have. So, it should be around for Theresa.” I held up my hand, refusing the drink he was about to give.

“No, please.”

“Damn Nick, it’s too early in the day for you. By the way, I’m Kevin. And the man at the grill is Brian.”

“It’s a pleasure. And thank you for inviting me. You have a lovely home, Brian.” Brian quickly glanced over AJ. “What did I say?”

“AJ doesn’t usually date woman who have manners. But, thank you. Leigh did most of the decorating.” I covered my smile as I saw AJ glare at Brian. Talk about turning the Backstreet World upside down.

“Yo, Rok, when is D coming?”

“Oh, called a little while ago, said he was running a tad late. You know him.” AJ rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“I’m sorry, that’s the last member you have to meet. Want anything to drink?”

“Just a coke is fine.”

“With rum?” I glanced over at Nick, and than back to AJ.

“You didn’t tell them?” He pushed his glasses down to cover his eyes, a sure fire sign that he was lying. “Don’t you lie.”

“No.”

“Alex!”

“Tell us what?” I turned to them, running my hand over my face.

“How I met AJ, exactly.”

“No, he’s never told us the story.” I glanced from Kevin, to Brian, and than to AJ. I was pissed! He said he loved me, wanted me to meet his friends, yet he couldn’t tell them the truth. Hell, was he embarrassed? I wasn’t. And in fact, he should be pretty damn grateful. I was the hard core bitch that turned his life around!
Chapter 2 by ResaD
Chapter 2
“It’s not my story tell, guys. It’s AJ’s. I’m just shocked he didn’t feel the need to tell you, exactly.”

“Why am I getting the feeling that we may not like this story?” Kevin asked.

“I’m going inside, anyone want anything?” All of us shook our heads, answering Nick’s question.

-----
Howie stepped into the kitchen, stopping dead in his tracks. That tattoo! Or, rather tattoos! He’d seen them before. But, hell, that was years ago. He’d thought he’d never see her again, even though she stayed in his mind. And even though he was married, he could feel those same damn emotions coming to the surface. If it was her, than fate was playing one cruel ass joke on him. He grabbed Nick’s arm, stopping him before he went outside again.

“Nick, who’s she?”

“She is AJ’s girlfriend, who’s about to tell a really damn good story that none of us knows. So, come on.” Girlfriend? The same girlfriend who kicked AJ’s ass into gear? The same girlfriend who had been with AJ for the last seven months and helped him kick all his stupid drinking habits and drug habits? No way! Howie just refused to believe it. Yet, he had to admit that the woman he knew a few years ago, was a tad bitchy, a tad strong, so yeah, it was possible. He leaned against the sliding glass door, watching her for a few more moments. Her hair no longer held the blonde streaks and she certainly had a few more tattoos, but no one could have those same two tattoos in the same location. What were the odds?

-----
I got out of the seat, feeling another pair of eyes on me. Yet, everyone was counted for. So, who could it be? LeighAnne was out of town with Bayley, so I knew it wasn’t them. I turned around, staring right into those brown eyes. ‘Oh shit! Oh, oh, oh, shit!’ my mind kept screaming. It just couldn’t be, not now, not here. He was…it should have been…never again… I couldn’t even finish my thoughts. He walked over and stood in front of me, his brown eyes searching. Damn, there were still just as gorgeous as they were a few years ago.

“D, you’re right in time.” AJ stood up and slid his arm around my waist, slapping me back into reality. Right, I was AJ’s girl. Couldn’t think of the past, or of those lips, hands, the way…STOP! “Howie, this is my girlfriend Theresa. Theresa, one of my best friends, Howie. Although, we just call him D.”

“Finally. So, this is the woman who’s kicked your ass?” AJ rolled his eyes and I giggled.

“Yes, it’s me.”

“Than I think on everyone here, we’re grateful. None of us were getting through that thick skull.”

“It was tough.”

“It usually is.” He smiled, and my breath caught. Damn it, I really hoped no one else was catching my reactions to this man. His sly little smile, though, was certainly telling me he at least was.
Chapter 3 by ResaD
Chapter 3
“So, who’s gonna tell us this story?” I turned away from Howie and looked at Alex.

“What?”

“They’re your friend’s sweetie.”

“It’s not my story.” I sighed. Damn, that man tested my nerve.

“I met Alex in rehab.”

“Like a therapist?” Howie asked.

“No. I was in there myself.” The rest of the guys looked shocked.

“What happened?” I smiled as Kevin slapped Nick on the back of the head.

“You don’t ask that man.”

“Really, it’s okay. Actually, in there, they encourage you to talk about it. It helps heal the wounds. I’ve done some pretty stupid things in my life, but I think getting into drinking was really the worst. I had lost my grandmother, and than my mother, months from each other. They were the most important things in my world. Than I lost my job, my house, everything I knew or cared about. My life had gone to hell in matter of six months, so I found the only solace I knew, the bottom of a bottle. It would be nothing for me to finish six, seven, even sometimes eight bottles a day. I would charge it, maxed out what little credit cards I had. And drugs, they weren’t my problem. But one night, I had gotten a little coke, thought I would shoot up, what would it hurt? I was at the bottom with really no hope of getting back up to the top again. But, on top of being drunk off of seven bottles of various liquors, I found it didn’t mesh really well. I don’t remember what happened that night, at least not past the part of my using the drug, but three days later, I came out of the comma, and found out that my niece had been severely beaten. That was two years ago and I can’t forgiven myself for what happened. She has, so has my brother, but I can’t. Not sure I ever will be able to. But, my family tossed me into rehab, and I’ve been there ever since.” I glanced around, all eyes on me and all mouths dropped open. Yeah, it certainly wasn’t a story I really didn’t like to share and would have wanted Alex to tell them, but oh well.

“Wow.” I chuckled.

“It’s a mood killer.” That caused them to grin.

“No offense, but Alex was in a well to do place.”

“I know. So was I. When my mom passed, I had quite a bit of money, lucky for me, when I was on my drinking binge, I forgot about it. When Alex came in, I knew who he was, and I wanted nothing to do with him. I even told all our teachers that. They felt that I would be the best example for him.”

“And she has.”

“Yeah, no one else seemed to kick his ass in gear.” I smiled at Nick but turned my eyes to Alex.

“I know what destruction alcohol and drugs cause. If I can help someone else, believe me, I’ll try my best to help ‘em out.”

“Well, Alex, I congratulate you than. It seems like you found a good girl to finally take care of you.” My eyes jumped to Howie’s, and deep within, I saw he didn’t really mean that comment.
Chapter 4 by ResaD
Chapter 4
“See, they weren’t bad.” I turned to look at Alex before I unlocked my front door and let him in.

“Why did you not tell them, Alex?” He sighed as he made his way into my living room and sat down on the couch.

“What does it matter? They know it now.”

“It’s kind of a big deal. I’m not like your ex’s here.”

“I know that, and now they know that.”

“But they should have already known that. Maybe not my whole story, yeah, that’s mine alone to tell. Wouldn’t you deem it important to know about the guy’s way of hooking up with their loves?”

“I guess,” he said, shrugging his shoulders. I rolled my eyes as I made my way into the kitchen, grabbing a bottle of water. I unscrewed the lid and threw it on the counter. Damn it. For most people, that simple fact probably wouldn’t bother them. But, to me, it was as if he was embarrassed. Sure, he had problems, the world knew it. But it wasn’t the coolest thing to be dating someone who had the same issues. And these were his best friends; you would honestly think he would tell them. “Don’t be mad.” I glanced at him as he leaned against the doorway.

“Give me a reason not to be here.”

“I’m sorry. I just didn’t think it would bother you.”

“Are you ashamed of how you met me?”

“No. Why would you think that?”

“Because you didn’t tell anyone, Alex. Not even your mother!” His hands wrapped around my waist and I laid my head on his shoulder. “I’m not happy with my past, but I do plan on making good things come out of it.”

“I know baby, I know. And I’m not ashamed. I just thought,” he stopped, his hand grabbing the bottle of water and taking a drink out of it. “I don’t know what I thought. I’m grateful that the Lord brought you into my life, truly am. It was you who helped turn me around, you know this. I have no reason to be ashamed.” I felt his lips pressing against the side of my hair and smiled.

“I can forgive you.” He pulled away and smiled down at me.

“Promise?”

“For now.” He laughed, his head descending and his lips capturing mine.

-----
I stared at the man lying next to me, his chest rising and falling with his deep sleep. I climbed out of the bed, lifting my robe off the chair to my desk and made my way into the living room. I flicked on light before I made my way over to door, opening it and lifting the first box off the shelf down. I ran my hand over the lid, and closed my eyes, my thoughts drifting back to Alex and our love making. Alex was amazing, there was no denying that, and never did I compare him, until tonight, and tonight, he was found lacking. Although, I really shouldn’t be thinking of that stupid man, he was married and I was in a serious relationship. I lifted the lid and the first thing that caught my attention was the napkin that had his old phone number. I traced my nail over it, not having the heart to crumple it up and throw it away.

“Baby?” I turned to Alex and smiled.

“You’re supposed to be asleep.”

“So are you. I woke up though, and didn’t see you next to me. What are you doing up?”

“Nothing.” Covering the box back up and sliding it back into its place.

“Nothing, huh?”

“I was just thinking of Adrianna. I need to call her.”

“Mmhmm.”

“There are some pictures in the box of her, you know that.”

“I know. It’s been two years.”

“I know, I know. But when you can forgive yourself for hurting your friends and family, I’ll forgive myself for hurting mine.” He held his hand out I walked over to him, placing my hand in his.

“That’s not fair.” I laughed and shook my head.

“More than fair, thank you.”

“Come on, let’s go back to bed. The demons of tomorrow will be there tomorrow.”

-----
I grabbed a soda from the cooler, twisting the cap and taking a swig as I pushed my cart further in the line.

“Buying stuff for lunch?” I turned around and smiled at Howie.

“Yeah. AJ raided the last of my food.”

“He usually does.” I smiled again, not knowing what else to say.

“How’s your wife?”

“She’s, um, she’s good. Thank you.”

“That’s good.”

“Does, well, does AJ know about us?” I glanced behind me before I paid for the stuff. I made my way out to my car and quickly opened it, but a hand on my arm stopped me from getting in. “Theresa, I’m serious. AJ is not the type that will tolerate liars. Have you told him that you know me?”

“Let’s tell AJ. Let me tell him that I know you because of one night that I spent wrapped up in your sheets, screwing around until the sunrise.”
Chapter 5 by ResaD
Chapter 5
I sat down on the stool, watching Alex fool around with his guitar. His body bent slightly over his instrument, his focus only on the few notes that was raging threw his mind. I stood up and stretched, his eyes finally glancing up at me.

“I’m sorry sweetie.”

“Don’t even worry about it baby. I understand what happens when you get a tune, beat, or even words in your head.” He stood up and walked over, his hand cupping my cheek and his lips brushed mine.

“I do believe you’re too good for me.”

“Do you want anything?” I asked as I headed to the door way.

“A soda. By the way, D’s wife is having a party tonight and she invited us.” My hand froze on the door and my eyes closed. Damn it! It was bad enough seeing him the other day, this morning, and than tonight! I really had to get, not just my thoughts, but my feelings in cheek.

-----
I adjusted my top and glanced at AJ who was staring at me.
“What?”

“I don’t recall that top, or skirt. Or even those shoes. Not that you don’t look sexy in them,” he said, his hand grabbing mine and placing a kiss on the back of it.

“Thank you. But I’m already you’re girlfriend, you don’t have to charm me.” He busted out laughing at that, just as Howie opened the door.

“What did I miss?”

“Nothing little man. Nothing at all,” AJ commented as he placed his hand on the small of my back and ushered me in.

“Thanks for the invite Howie.”

“It’s nothing. AJ’s girlfriends are always welcome.” I smiled, feeling so very uneasy as his eyes raked over my attire. I wish I could explain why I wore this outfit, after all, it was the one I wore the night I slept with Howie. Yet, I couldn’t, other than I just had this urge to wear it.

“Leigh, I believe is in the kitchen, so let me introduce you.” With that, he started leading the way.

“I’ll be right be back, baby.” I turned to him, a look of distress in my eyes. “Don’t worry, Leigh will love you. Promise, right back,” he said, his lips brushing my cheek. Howie quickly glanced behind him, frowning as he saw the retreating back.

“Did I miss something?”

“Well, I’m guessin’ so, ‘cause I missed it to.” Howie shrugged as he walked into the kitchen.

“Honey, this is AJ’s girlfriend, Theresa. Theresa, my wife, Leigh.” I held out my hand and Leigh barley touched it.

“You look familiar.”

“I can assure you, I’ve never meet you before.”

“I’m sure of it. AJ’s girlfriend, the one he met in rehab?”

“Leigh!”

“It’s a simple question, D.” I glanced between the two and tried my best to smile.

“That’s me.”

“Explains so much. If you excuse me, I have some other guests.” I nodded my head, feeling the cold shoulder for being what it was.

“I’m sorry.” I held up my hand.

“Don’t explain.”

“She’s not…”

“D, I remember everything that happened that night. Believe me; I don’t need you lying for her, okay?” He nodded his head at that.

“Can I get you anything to drink?”

“I would love a rum and coke, but I’ll take just a coke.”

“Let me get that for you.” I leaned back against the counter as everyone left me. What in the world was I doing? I wiped my hand down my face, more lost and confused than ever. AJ was amazing, okay, with lapses, but damn it all to hell, who did my heart long for? D, of course.

“That was rude of our hosts.” I looked up and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“You left me, Alex.”

“I’m sorry baby, really am. You know how to clear a room here,” he whispered, his hands encircling my waist.

“I have that affect. Leigh left to attend to guests and D went to get a soda.”

“Ah, so I have a few moments to sneak a kiss?” I smirked as his head descended and his lips captured mine. Damn, that boy and those lips! Can we say unfair? I moaned, his body pushing me slightly backward on the counter.

“Pardon me.” We quickly pulled apart and I glanced up, right into the burning depths of Howie’s eyes.
Chapter 6 by ResaD
Chapter 6
“AJ, Leigh needs you.” With that, D left. AJ frowned and turned to look at me.
“Was it just me or did my best friend give me a nasty look for kissing my girlfriend?” I laughed and shrugged.

“But come on though, I don’t want Leigh, or anyone she’s related to, pissed at me before I meet them.” He smiled and quickly grabbed my hand, leading me out of the kitchen and over to the dancing area that they had set up.

“Leigh, sweetie,” AJ said, placing a kiss on her cheek. He turned to the woman by her side and smiled, placing a kiss on her cheek as well. “Samantha, it’s a pleasure. Let me introduce my newest and latest girlfriend, Theresa. This is Leigh’s sister, Samantha.” I held out my hand and smiled at the shock in this woman’s eyes.

“It’s a pleasure. And I’m sorry for staring. You’re just not his type.” Inside, I was seething. Damn, was AJ only allowed to date the women that looked easy or slutty?

“So I’ve heard. Don’t worry about it.”

“Um, there’s an open bar, if you would like something stronger than your coke.”

“Thank you, but I don’t drink.” She frowned at that and threw a glance at Leigh, but Leigh was engrossed in a conversation with someone else.

“Are you too good for it or something?”

“Sam!” I turned to AJ and shook my head slightly. Inside, I was smiling. I had meet Sam once, the same time I met Leigh, and she was the same bitchy ass person I remembered. In fact, much like her sister. How very funny. Even more so that D did end up marrying Leigh and into all of this.

“No, I’m in rehab.” Maybe I shouldn’t have told her that, after all, she was like her sister, very cunning. I was positive they would find a way to use it on my later, but I wasn’t ashamed.

“Wow. Um, if you’ll excuse me. AJ, will you please help Howie move the table?” she asked, waving her hand in the direction that D was in.

“Let me help the little man and I’ll be right back.” He placed a kiss on my cheek and quickly left to help out. I sighed and made my way over to a chair.

“Did everyone leave you?” I glanced up and smiled at Nick.

“I guess so. How are you Nick?” He quickly gave me a hug as he took the seat next to mine.

“Ah, I’m good.” He glanced over at D than at me. “How do you know Howie?” I froze the drink half way to my lips.

“Pardon?”

“D sent me a text earlier, telling me to pick up something and that you were the only one who liked it. So, I’m just curious how you know him.”

“I met him, although, it was a long time ago. What did you pick up?”

“Some candy.” He held his hand out and smiled. I glanced down, and couldn’t stop the giggle that escaped as I saw the ring pop in the middle of his palm. “Kinda funny that you met him so long ago and he remembered something as tiny as this.” He dropped the candy in my hand and walked away. I laughed as I looked at the candy and than quickly tore off the wrapper and placed the ring on my finger. But, Nick was right. That was a tiny detail to remember. I licked the candy and smiled all the more, fully intending to ask Howie about it.

-----
I saw him by himself and walked over, gently nudging his arm. I pulled the ring pop of out my mouth and smiled.
“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Looks like you’re enjoying it.”

“I am. I can’t believe you actually remembered something like that.”

“I remember a lot from that night.” His eyes held mine and I could feel those tiny, stupid butterflies. ‘Not again’, my mind was screaming at me.

“Yeah, I recall a few things too.” I tried to smile, to stop those unwanted feelings, but it wasn’t happening.

“Hey there. This is where I find you.” My eyes flew to AJ’s and I smiled.

“Yup. I came to thank Howie for the candy.” AJ gave me a strange look and I showed him the ring pop. “I know, I’m different, but I totally love these things.” AJ laughed, grabbed my hand and pulled the ring pop in his mouth. “Hey, that’s mine!”

“You gotta learn to share!” Hell, it wasn’t me that was gonna be sharing!
Chapter 7 by ResaD
Chapter 7
My eyes opened wide as that thought filtered through my mind. No, no, No! D was with Leigh! ‘Not that that stopped you last time,’ my mind retorted. I was with AJ! ‘But it’s not him you love!’ Okay, this silent conversation in my head was just not healthy. Nor was it good. Although, I was thankful that Howie and AJ were engrossed in something, otherwise, I knew they would have been tossing some strange looks my way.

“Excuse me, where’s the restroom?”

“Oh, I’m sorry Theresa, you didn’t get the grand tour.”

“No worries. Just point me in the right direction and we’ll call it even.”

“Down the hall, second door on the left.” I smiled at D, winked at AJ and went in search of the room. I quickly closed and locked the door behind me, sliding down it and resting on the floor, trying to collect my thoughts.

Oh shit, I didn’t realize just how much I was going to be facing in my future if I stuck around with AJ! But, I did love AJ. He was good for me, I was good for him. I helped him, and that was a fact I couldn’t easily turn my back on. Not that I wanted to. D was unattainable right now. Not right now, forever. Marriage is forever, not just for a while. But Howie, that night, that…I groaned, knowing that staying with AJ was going to be torture. I couldn’t stop the thoughts that plagued me, couldn’t stop my emotions.

But, I couldn’t be another person on the list who hurt AJ. Nope, I think that this was really going to have to be my cross to bear, that I was going to have to stay with AJ, and yet long for Howie, but from far away. And no one, NO ONE, was allowed to know the truth. It was obvious his wife didn’t know, thank goodness, for that pretty little information would have spread like wild fire tonight.

And I hated lying to Alex, but I know he would have flipped if he found out the truth. D was right, Alex hated liars. But, it was going to get mentioned that I at least knew Howie. That part I could deal with, but, it was going to be handled with nothing but a lie. I hung my head, hating that fact. I hated to lie, even more so to a person I cared for, but, I had no choice.

“Baby, you okay?” Inside, I screamed NO, but I couldn’t say that. I really couldn’t make him worry.

“I’m fine honey.”

“You sure?” I composed myself, stood up and unlocked the door, smiling at AJ.

“Yeah. Sorry, just needed to freshen up.”

“You look great, darlin’.” His lips brushed over mine and we walked back into the hallway.

-----
“Hey Alex, I’m sorry to bother you, but would you mind if I had this dance?” I glanced behind AJ and saw Samantha standing there. AJ just smiled at her and grabbed her hand, never once glancing at me or asking if it was okay. Not that he needed to.

“They look good together, huh?” I rolled my eyes but glanced at D.

“You’re asking ME that question? Smart move.” His half smile caught me off guard.

“You were always one who had an open mind, if I can recall.” He left me with that comment, and my cheeks turning a wonderful shade of red.
Chapter 8 by ResaD
Chapter 8
I stepped to the side an hour later, watching AJ just interact with everyone, but in particular, with Samantha. There was a casualness about them that screamed they knew each other. Believe me, I wasn’t fool enough not to know about AJ’s past, nor about the fact that he had many lovers. Yet, he had changed; he had calmed down, if that made sense. And that was why I had finally started dating him. But we really didn’t mention our past; otherwise, D would be well discussed by now. Actually, that was fine; we really didn’t need to know about THAT past. Yet, I was still a little ticked that he couldn’t mention an ex-girlfriend was gonna be here. Oh, I wasn’t that stupid to believe they were just lovers.

“Penny for your thoughts.” I glanced over at Nick and shook my head.

“Just watching those two.”

“They look good together, huh?” I raised my eyebrow and he chuckled. “You know they do. Almost too good. Maybe that’s part of the reason the engagement was broken off.” ‘Engagement!’ my mind screamed! Okay, lovers, you didn’t have to mention; girlfriends, eh, only if you wanted to! But engaged partners was a whole other deal. That was huge and yet he hadn’t felt like he needed to share that? Nick watched the emotions play over my face and his complexion paled. “You didn’t know?”

“That he was engaged, no.”

“Theresa, please don’t tell him I told you. There’s a reason why he didn’t tell you.” I shrugged; trying to so very had to play off his comment. “I’m serious.”

“Nick, please, let it go.”

“I feel bad. I don’t want you pissed, or…” He stopped when I put my hand on his arm.

“Don’t worry. Everything will be fine.” Nick managed a smile, although he really didn’t believe those words, yet he still left me well enough alone. AJ glanced over, said something to Samantha and made his way over to where I was.

“Sorry about that sweetie. Want a refill on that?” he asked, nodding his head at my empty soda. I handed him the glass and he turned to walk away.

“Add some rum to it.” He froze and quickly glanced behind him, seeing the anger for what it was. Okay, I lied to Nick, I was beyond pissed. And anyone would have felt the same damn way.

“Rum, huh?”

“He won’t do it. Anyway, what do you want D?”

“Look, I have no right to lay a claim on you, but…”

“Woah, stop right there. You’re right, you have no right. You took that night and flung it in my face with what you did! Why the hell would I go to that bitches wedding?”

“Theresa!”

“Get it through your head. It was one night.”

“Of some pretty damn hot sex.”

“You are Latin after all. I would hate to say you sucked.”

“Beyond that point…”

“You made it obvious where you stood D. You took my words, my feelings, and flew ‘em out the window. And believe me, I’m over it. My heart belongs to AJ now.”

“Even though he lied?”

“Was it any different than you and what you did?” At his silence, I smiled. “Didn’t think so.”

“Fine. If he hurts you, as it’s bound to happen, don’t come crying to me.”

“I was stupid once before. Believe me; I won’t make that same mistake twice.” With that, I turned, bumping right into Alex.
Chapter 9 by ResaD
Chapter 9
He glanced down at me, and inside, I was cringing. He handed me the glass and I took a deep drink. His arm slid around my waist and even though I was pissed off at him, I was still grateful for his strength. His lips brushed my hair. Damn it! His charm was not going to work on cooling off my anger right now.

“Baby, you ready to go?” I nodded my head, not trusting my voice in the least right now. He grabbed my hand as we made are way over to where Samantha and Leigh were. “We’re out ladies, thank you for the invite.” I watched as Samantha smiled and fluttered her eyelashes and I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes at that show.

“Come back again, Alex. I miss talking with you.”

“Will do Sam. You gonna be in town for a while?”

“Yup. Enjoying time with my sister.”

“Than I might just be stopping by.” ‘Oh, just him, huh?’

“I look forward to that. Theresa, it was a pleasure to meet you.”

“Same here. Have a wonderful night. And thank you for inviting me, Leigh.”

“Oh, you’re always welcome.” I smiled, knowing the lie for what it was. AJ smiled, and waved as we walked out the front door. But we only made it a couple of steps before we heard someone shout something. AJ turned around and smiled at D.

“You were busy attending to your guest’s man.”

“Dude, you’re my best friend. I’ll check ya later man.”

“Yup, I’ll hit you up.” Howie turned to me and gave me a brief hug.

“Just so you know, I remember that outfit completely,” he whispered, before he pulled away, which for me, wasn’t soon enough. Damn, I was starting to hate all men at this point in time.

-----
I slammed his car door, making him jump slightly as he got in the car.

“This is my baby, please be careful.”

“Screw you!”

“What the hell?”

“When were you going to tell me about your engagement?”

“Right around the time you were going to talk about Howie and the fact that you knew him.”

“Howie is nothing, a one time meeting. And don’t change the subject! The issue of a past engagement is more freakin’ ass important!”

“What the hell? Why? Oh, is Resa jealous because she wasn’t the first one to lay a claim on my heart?”

“McLean, don’t even go there! I’m not jealous. I don’t get why you never felt the urge to talk about it. I mean, that’s a huge damn step and not one you tread on lightly.” He rolled his eyes, his fingers clenching the wheel and his foot pressing harder on the pedal.

“I might have loved her enough to offer marriage. But she’s the one who ended it, not me! So, are you happy?”

“Not by a long shot here! I’m not understanding…”

“Because you would have flown off the handle, like you are. That was the damn past; I don’t care that way for her!”

“Oh, don’t you?” I crossed my arms, his eyes quickly glancing at me.

“So, why not tell me more about this supposed one meeting with the little man?” I shook my head and tuned my gaze out the window, watching the scenery pass all too quickly.

“For crying out loud! It was one damn meeting and all we did was talk!” I closed my eyes, rested my head against the window, wanting to get what I was about to say off my chest. “This isn’t the first time you kept stuff from me!”

“Your right, and you’ve kept shit from me, so don’t get all high and mighty on my ass now. I’m getting the vibe here that you and D did a lot more than just talk.”

“And what the hell would make you think that? And it’s not nearly as huge as you keeping this stupid ass engagement from me!”

“The hell it ain’t! How would you feel here, if you thought that I slept with your friend, wait, your best friend?”

“You have to be kidding.”

“Nope.”

“You think I slept with him? Where did that come from?”

“Oh, let me count. 1, by the way you act around him. You can’t be around him or his wife. 2…”

“Hold up right there. Let me get this out in the open right now. I’ve had the, pleasure if you will, of meeting Leigh, and yes Samantha, neither one of them do I care for since neither one of them cared for me. I didn’t rank high enough on their scale for them to remember me, but it’s really hard to forget bitches.” His eyes quickly snapped to mine and I could see the fire in them. Oh, he didn’t like me calling her that, huh? He threw the car in park, and I realized with a start that I was home. Shit, he must have been pushing 90, at least.

“Would you like me to escort you in? Although, with that temper, you’ll slay anyone who dares step in your path, so I’m not that worried.” I glanced back out the window, seeing my apartment on the top floor, knowing that he was not going to like my words, but hell if I cared right now. He hurt me far too deeply for me to be giving a shit about his feelings.

“If you love me like you claim, and you call me special, why do you find it so hard to share. I’m not understanding that. And whatever you do, don’t throw D in my face, no matter what your feelings might be on that.”

“Get out.” He reached over me and opened the door, not even glancing at me.

“After tonight, with pleasure,” slamming the door to his ever precious baby.
Chapter 10 by ResaD
Chapter 10
“Wanna talk?”

“Nope.”

“Wanna dance?”

“Nope.”

“Wanna do anything?” I looked at my best friend of forever and shook my head.

“Nope.” She laughed and threw some popcorn at me.

“Wanna explain what happened?” Now, where the hell did I begin?

“Not really.”

“Hey, I’m up to two words.” I glanced over at her and smiled. “And a smile!”

“Terri, I love you girle, but you’re a dork!”

“It’s been two days chica, and I ain’t seen you this upset.”

“I’m not upset. The asshole can drop dead and I would love it!” With that, I got off the couch and made my way into the kitchen, actually longing for a drink. Crap, the urges I thought were long gone, but one fight, okay, one huge ass fight and I was back to where I started from. I reached on top of the fridge, grabbed his package of cigarettes and opened the sliding glass door to my balcony. I quickly lit up the stick and took a deep drag, although, it sure as hell wasn’t calming me down right now.

“It’s gotta be bad.”

“Why?” I took another hit, not turning to glance at her.

“Because you don’t smoke.” I sighed, finally turning around, not wanting to cry.

“He’s been engaged before. To Samantha, in fact. Terri, he never felt it important enough to tell me. Do you have any idea how much that hurts?” Within moments, Terri was by my side, her arms wrapped around my shoulders, and I just couldn’t hold it in anymore. I let the tears flow. And flow. And flow some more. It felt like twenty minutes had past before she finally pulled away and wiped the remaining tears.

“You love him.”

“I do Terri. What happened with Howie was stupid.” At her look, I sighed. “Okay, it wasn’t, and some part of me will always love D. But he’s married, and he’s moved on. I have AJ and I can’t dare to hurt him.”

“Do you love him like you should?”

“I don’t know right now, but I know I’m willing to try.” This time, it was her turn to sigh.

“I guess you’re at least willing to try. But, before you go on trying, make sure your doing it for the right reasons.”

“I am.”

“Really? You’re doing it because you want to be with AJ, not because you’re first choice is takin?”

“Some times I hate talking to you.”

“Why, because I’m right?”

“No, because your mean. I’m willing to try for AJ’s sake.” Oh, hell, could I have uttered a bigger lie? Wait, wait, wait…I did care for AJ. Let me rephrase that, I did love AJ. At times, he was the cutest, sweetest, lovingest man around. And other times, he was a huge jerk. And that might have a lot to do with him being an only child, and being spoiled. Well, I was the baby of the family, and by my own rights, I was spoiled and both of us always didn’t get our way.

“I love you Resa, you’re my girl, and you always will be. But these boys have been my favorite group since forever! I would hate to kick your ass simply because you break one of their hearts.”

“And it’s okay for them to break mine? Thanks for defending me here.” I glanced down at my cigarette, tossing it over the side, unfinished. It was useless if I didn’t have a drink to go with it.

“Pardon me, but that was a waste.” I quickly turned around, staring at the Devil’s own eyes.
Chapter 11 by ResaD
Chapter 11

“Hiya AJ.”

“Hey sweetie.” He flashed a grin at Terri, but his gaze held mine.

“Well, that’s my cue to leave. I’ll call you later Resa.” I nodded my head, still unable to tear my gaze away. “Don’t anyone move, I’ll see myself out.” And that ended the staring contest. I gave her a quick hug.

“Thank you.”

“My pleasure. Just remember what I said. Night you two.” With that, she went back into the building and I heard the door close after a few seconds.

“I better go lock it.” I past by him and walked over to my front door, taking the time to compose myself. I swiped a hand down my face and turned, finding Alex right behind me.

“Hi.”

“Hi. Want anything to drink?” He shook his head and smiled. Damn, infectious much? I smiled back and he grabbed my hand, his thumb running over the back of my hand.

“I think we need to talk.” ‘Oh shit,’ my mind screamed at me.

“I’m thinking you might be a little on the right side for once.” He walked over to the couch, tugging me along after him. I sat down and he sat on the edge of my coffee table, both of his hands holding onto mine.

“I owe you an apology. I might have blown up a tad the other night. I should have made a mention of Samantha before. But, she really broke my heart and it’s just not a memory I want to constantly bring up.”

“I can understand that. But, I guess what hurts the most is we had talked about our ex’s, and she just wasn’t one that was mentioned. It must have been rather serious for you to ask for her hand?”

“It was. I thought it was, at least. She agreed, but maybe the stress of everything that was going on in my life was too much on her.”

“I’m sorry Alex.” He smiled, and he eyes stared into mine. Damn, those eyes were just so gorgeous. It wasn’t fair!

“So, do I get the story?”

“I was on a cruise, with my mom, and I wasn’t aware who was on the boat, until actually the last night when I was in the club. I meet Howie, danced with him, flirted with him, but that was it. I meet his wife and his would be sister in law that same night, but they left him, for he got in a heated fight with Leigh. Maybe I was just the person to make him feel slightly better.” I shrugged, really hoping he would buy that and just let it go because I couldn’t gaze into those eyes anymore and go on lying.

“That’s it?”

“Okay, maybe a kiss or two. But that was it. And at that point in time, he wasn’t married. It was stupid, but it was my moment of star filled lust,” I said, laughing.

“And you feel nothing for him?” I held his gaze, my hand closing over one of his cheeks. Slowly, I shook my head, not trusting my voice to answer that question. “You sure?”

“Of course I’m sure, Alex. You’re my world now, you know this. I want you happy and healthy.”

“You know, I’m not all too sure what would happen if I lost your strength.”

“What do you mean?”

“Those first few weeks in rehab were hard. You know, you were there longer than me. But, it was your friendship that finally helped me, made things even a tad easier. And afterwards, it’s your love that showed me that people outside of my small group of friends and family still love me, are still willing to care for me. It’s that strength, devotion, care and concern that I love most about you.” I swallowed the lump in my throat. Don’t get me wrong on this account, I loved Alex. And I was beyond worried about what could happen if we split. I really liked to think he was strong enough he didn’t need me, but, after hearing that, I wasn’t all too sure.

“I’ll be here for you Alex, you know this baby.” I leaned forward, my lips pressing against his, my arms wrapping around his neck, my fingers entangling themselves in his hair. And he kissed me back, with just as much as passion.

-----
I closed my eyes, three hours later; my head resting on his chest, his steady heart beat lulling me to sleep. His fingers trailed up and down my arm, but sleep wasn’t easily acquired for him tonight. Oh, he longed for it. Three hours of some rather intense love making was even insane on his account, and when he should be closing his eyes, he just couldn’t. Those recent activities, in fact, is what kept him up. And it wasn’t actually the act, for that was some of their best, it was what she mumbled. Although, it was faint, but his ears were attuned to her sounds, her moans, her sighs and cries, so, it wasn’t hard to pick up on what she had uttered. And though he didn’t want to think about that, because that was a good foundation to believe she had lied to him. What was eating him, actually, was the name she said. It wasn’t Alex, or AJ or even J. Nope, this was straight up Howie.
Chapter 12 by ResaD
Chapter 12

He leaned back in his chair, his music sheets scattered over the work bench in his studio. For the last hour, so far, of this morning anyway, he couldn’t work on anything. Sure, the beats were there, but he just couldn’t focus. He knew if he posed any questions to Theresa, she would lie. And part of him actually wanted to believe she hadn’t done anything in the past with D. That the fact that she said anything last night was because of everything going on. In all their months of dating, they hadn’t ever had a fight that bad. And it was bad; he knew they both said some things they regretted. And she slammed the door to his baby, which in turn caused the passenger window to crack. To say they were highly pissed, was probably an understatement. And he wouldn’t dare ask Leigh or Samantha, so that left Howie. AJ just wasn’t sure he had the strength to listen to what D could say. With a sigh, he pulled his cell phone out of his pocket and quickly dialed D’s cell number. After a couple rings, Howie finally picked up.

“Yo AJ, what’s up man?”

“I need to talk to you.”

“This sounds serious. Everything okay?”

“Maybe. Think you can come over in a little bit? If you’re free?”

“Yeah. Leigh is out with Sam, girl’s day, they’ll be gone forever. So, let me just change and I’ll be there in about twenty, that work for ya?”

“Yeah, thanks man.”

“No problem. See ya.” With that, Howie quickly hung up. AJ snapped his phone shut and threw it on other chair, running his hand through his hair.

-----
He opened the door, smiling as Howie walked past him.

“Can I offer ya anything D?”

“Nah, I’m cool. So, what’s up?” Howie asked, taking a seat on the couch, crossing his ankle over his leg.

“I’m sure you heard about the fight?”

“Kinda hard not to man.”

“Yeah, figured Nick would have mentioned something.”

“Man, I know only what he told me. But you never told Theresa about Samantha?”

“No, I didn’t think she would have liked to have known. It’s not even that, actually. Samantha was a chapter I wanted closed. And as much as I love Theresa, I just didn’t feel that chapter needed to be open with her either.”

“Well, man, that’s certainly on you. Does she know all the details?”

“Not all. I told her Sam broke it off.”

“Wow, okay than.” Howie sat back, already for seeing the problem this was going to cause. “But, I have a feeling that you didn’t call me over to talk about this actually.”

“No. The other part was about you.”

“What? What about me?”

“It was quite obvious you knew Theresa long before the day at Bri’s.” Inside, D cringed. This was not quite what he was expecting actually.

“You wanna know about that time?”

“I want to know if you two did, if you guys…”

“No.” Howie had to bite the inside of his cheek to keep from saying the truth.

“Really?”

“Did you ask her?”

“Yes.”

“And, AJ, what did she tell you?”

“That you guys had meet once, talked, flirted, kissed once or twice.” Damn, she gave a rather condensed version.

“And it’s obvious if you’re asking me, that you don’t believe her. Why?”

“I just need to know!”

“Alex, I’ve known you for a rather long time! You just don’t need to know. What’s going on? You don’t trust her? What happened?”

“She said your name.”

“I do talk to her. It’s not impossible…”

“Howie, she said YOUR name.” D didn’t need any more clarification than that.

“Man, it’s not what you think.”

“She doesn’t call anyone else’s.”

“I think you need to talk to her.”

“I have, damn it, and I think she’s lying!” AJ turned around, his eyes clashing with mine.
Chapter 13 by ResaD
Chapter 13

“Lying?” I let my gaze wander over to Howie, trying so very hard not to let any emotion show that he was there. Howie nodded and smiled and I returned it.

“I’m going to let you two talk, I’ll talk to you later man.” With that, Howie left, closing the door softly behind him.

“Lying, Alex? I’m lying?”

“Resa…”

“No, at this point in time, do not let that name pass your lips. I can’t believe you think I’m lying.”

“Forgive me if I’m not finding what you told me to be the truth here.”

“Why?”

“That night, you called his name!”

“I didn’t call his name, Alex. I called…” I stopped, remembering that it might have passed on a whisper. “No.”

“I heard it.”

“If you did, it wasn’t passionate. Certainly not like when I call your name, is it?”

“That’s not the point!”

“You’re wrong. And, if I did, what would it mean? Please, tell me.”

“You were thinking about him!”

“Your flippin ass kidding, AJ. We were talking about him, but no, I wasn’t thinking about him! My word, I’m with you. Only you. It’s only you I think about it.”

“You’ve lied to your family, would it be that hard to lie to me?” I walked right over to him and slapped him.

“That was a low ass blow McLean.” I turned on my heel and walked out of his house, catching the car across the street.

-----
I turned my car off, glancing in my mirror as Howie’s car pulled into an empty parking space. I grabbed my purse, debating if I should even talk to him. I sighed, closing my door and making my way over to D’s car. I leaned into the open window and smiled at him.

“So, you can stay in here all day or would you rather come in?”

“Isn’t that private domain?”

“Yes, but I’m being nice. Is that a yes or no? Cause either way it makes no never mind to me.”

“I better come up. We have to talk.” I started to walk away but turned to look at him as he got out.

“Talk? We have nothing to talk about.” I walked up the stairs and opened my door, throwing my purse and cell phone on the table. “Would you like anything?”

“No.”

“Fine. What’s on your mind?”

“AJ.”

“Big surprise there, D. What about AJ?”

“Are you going to tell him the truth?” I nodded my head, and walked over to my pictures on the wall, seeing the latest one of AJ and I.

“Have you ever had a relationship with someone not because you loved them, but because it was the right thing to do?”

“Yes. It’s a miserable existence.”

“I love Alex, I won’t deny that. But, every once in a while, he plays the jerk role rather well.”

“He’s AJ, it’s what he does. But that doesn’t answer my question.”

“He annoys me, he pushes me, he ticks me off, but I can’t bear to see harm come to him at my hand. And I know that’s not making sense to you. But, it’s the best way that I can explain why I won’t tell him the truth. If he found out, he would feel betrayed. He would kick your ass and probably mine as well. But, it goes beyond that. No, Howie, I won’t ever tell him the truth.”

“So, you won’t tell him for your sake?”

“No, not for mine. If he knew, he would always wonder if I still had feelings for you.”

“Do you?” Oh, hell, why did I mention that? I guess I didn’t think D would honestly ask that. I swallowed and turned from his gaze. “Do you?”

“Howie…”

“It’s an easy question, Theresa.”

“I..I…I can’t.”

“What do you mean you can’t? Or you won’t?” He walked over to me, his eyes holding mine.

“I can’t.” His hands grabbed my upper arms. “Do you?”

“Yes, I do. But I want you to admit, damn it!” My eyes opened wide, shocked was not something I would describe my emotions right now.

“I do, Howie. I know I shouldn’t, and Lord forgive me, but I do.” His eyes searched mine, feeling the longing within him. Those brown eyes of hers held him captive once more and it was like he was back on the cruise. He could admit it, at least, those were eyes he lost himself in and they ensnared him last time as well. He drew her closer, longing for a kiss. He could do it and no one would know right? Just them, was it so bad, so hard? But the sun light caught on his wedding band, blinding him, and damn it all to hell, that was his wake up call. He quickly released her, his hand running down his face as he raced out the door. Shit, he was about to kiss a woman that wasn’t his wife! He had to admit it; those feelings for Resa were running a lot deeper than he ever thought.
Chapter 14 by ResaD
Chapter 14

“Okay, it’s not that I don’t love you girlie, but two times in less than a week is a bit much.” I glanced over at her and shook my head, throwing my Porsche into 5th gear and speeding down the highway, easily doing 95. “And what’s with the car, we never go out in it.”

“I needed a pick me up. That’s why I’m taking you with me while we go shopping.”

“In this car? You don’t go anywhere in this car.”

“Today I am. We’re shopping, splurging, going to dinner, and a club, on all Alex tonight.”

“Pardon? Cause I know I didn’t hear that right.”

“Yup. About two months ago, he got a joint credit card for us. I believe it’s a 500,000 dollar limit. I intend to come as close as possible.” Terri’s eyes opened wide. With that mere thought, I pushed the car to 110. Terri swallowed the lump that was quickly forming in her throat.

“What did he do?”

“Do? What makes you think he did anything?” I watched as the speedometer read 120 now. I could feel the fear in Terri, and I did feel bad. But AJ was pissing me off, as was Howie. Right now, men in general, just sucked! I slowed the car down a bit, easing it back to the 100 mark. She released a soft sigh. “I’m sorry. I’m just a bit ticked.”

“Oh, wow, I’m thinking you’re lying. But, I can also see we’re not going to be talking while you’re driving. So, we can wait till we’re at the mall.”

-----
I pulled her into a store, oohing over the amazing bracelet that was sitting there.

“Girl, you’re kidding.”

“You don’t want it Terri?”

“I do. I just don’t have the money.”

“Lucky for us that my boyfriend does.” I ushered a sales clerk over and said I wanted two of those bracelets.

“Theresa, no!”

“Shut it. I already told you, we’re going to use this baby up.” I pulled the Gold American Express out of my wallet and laid it on the counter. The sales clerk glanced at the both of us.

“Excuse me, that’s um, roughly twenty thousand dollars.”

“I know. Can you please put it on this?” The lady glanced at the card than nodded her head.

-----
Thirty minutes later, we were both loaded down with bags and made only a small dent on that card. We walked over to the food court, deciding ice cream was sounding pretty damn good.

“You’re gonna spill?” I pushed the ice cream around before I glanced up at her.

“AJ accused me of lying.”

“But you did lie.”

“Yes, okay, I did. It’s just…he keeps pushing the issue and I can’t let him keep on doing it. Things…Terri, I…you know…” I stopped rambling, wiping the tears from my eyes. “I feel like I’m going to kill him if I leave him. I don’t want to leave him, but after the other day with Howie, and admitting I care for him, I know staying in this relationship is going to be hard.”

“Resa, there’s no way you can have Howie. He’s married, and even though you might have something for him, and he might have something for you, he won’t divorce his wife. We both know this. You love AJ; don’t risk hurting that relationship for anything.”

“Even though he can be a jerk?”

“Aren’t all men?”

“I suppose you’re right.”

“So, are we done shopping? Cause my feet are hurting and these bags are killing me.”

“If you wish. Want to go to the club?”

“If you invite a couple of guys along.”

“Terri, I think you’re boyfriend might have a problem if you hit up on my boyfriends friends.”

“Josh is over seas for now.” I shook my head, picked up our bags, and we headed out.

-----
I pulled into a parking space, seeing him sitting on the first step. I grabbed my bags and walked up the stairs, sitting down next to him.

“Hi.”

“Hi Alex.”

“Went to the mall?”

“With Terri. Good therapy.”

“There’s quite a few bags.”

“We had a rather high spending limit.” AJ chuckled and shook his head.

“It was a mistake getting that card, I see.” He stopped, turning slightly to me, his hand grabbing mine. “These past few days of not having you around, of the fighting, it’s killing me darlin’. I’ve missed you so much.”

“AJ, I’ve missed you too. Look, that night, when I said THAT, I didn’t mean anything. You are the person I love. Nothing happened between Howie and I. I’m begging you to believe me.” Alex smiled, leaned over, his hand cupping my cheek.

“I believe you. I know you wouldn’t lie to me. Nor would you hurt me.” With that, his lips brushed mine. After a few seconds, he pulled a way, a smile lingering on his lips.

“Terri wants to hit up a club. Wanna join us?”

“Let me see, leave you to the mercy of other men? I’m there.” I smiled and winked.

“Think you can invite Nick.”

“Doesn’t she have Josh?” I shrugged and made my way into my house, waving as AJ walked down to his car.

-----
“The Porsche again?”

“Oh shut up already, Terri, you know you like it. Sides, if I’m going clubbin’, I have got to look my best.”

“Does AJ know he has a prissy woman on his hands?”

“He knows. Why do you think he got me the car for?” We laughed, pulling into a spot right next to AJ’s car. We got out and I wrapped my arms around AJ’s neck. “Terri is complaining about my car.”

“Thought you all loved it.”

“I do, she doesn’t.”

“Don’t be lying over there Theresa.” We all laughed, and were making our way inside, when I saw Howie and Leigh coming in right behind us, with none other than Samantha in tow. Oh shit, that was not good.
Chapter 15 by ResaD
Chapter 15
I rolled my eyes, my body stiffening up, and Terri, the ever wonderful best friend, noticed it instantly. She glanced at me, than glanced behind me and noticed the problem. I grabbed onto AJ’s hand even tighter as the trio drew closer.

“Leigh, Sam, Howie, what a pleasure. Didn’t know you all were coming.” I glanced over at AJ who merely shrugged. Somewhere in the pit of my stomach, I felt a damn good set up. “Let me introduce my best friend, Terri. Terri, this is Howie, his wife Leigh, and her sister, Samantha, but she goes by Sam.”

“She has friends?” Howie glared at Sam and yet, mentally, I had to shake my head. Some things just never changed over time.

“Sam, be nice. Terri, it’s a pleasure.”

“Nice to meet you both.” I had to give props to my girl, I knew her well enough to know she didn’t let much slide. It just showed she cared about not making a scene. We headed inside and over to a corner booth. I felt a squeeze on my hand and turned to AJ, his eyes trying to convey the message of reassurance. I smiled, pretending that I trusted him, or even better yet, that I trusted myself.

“Hey, Alex, you’re gonna save me a dance, right?” I turned to Terri and rolled my eyes. The more I heard that woman speak, the more she really irritated the hell out of me.

“That’s all on Resa and if she doesn’t mind.”

“Resa doesn’t get the say so in this, AJ, I do. Since I get the first dance, and they’re playing my song. So, let’s go.” I took the spot next to Howie, shaking my head as Terri dragged my boyfriend out on the floor. I listened as Leigh asked Howie a question, than grabbed Sam’s arm and lead her away.

“Did you want something to drink?”

“No, I’m fine for now.” I glanced over at Howie than sighed. “Wanna explain why you’re here?”

“Got a phone call from a friend. Said he wanted to party, so invited me along.”

“Would that be AJ?”

“Actually Nick. Who should be here soon.”

“Ah, I see. Did you have to bring Sam?” Howie closed his eyes, his fingers tapping lightly on the table top.

“She’s family, Theresa, I can’t stop her. And it’s rude not to invite her. Sides, she’s all but attached to Leigh’s hip.”

“So I noticed.” I glanced out at AJ and Terri, finally facing the truth that I needed to ask the question. “Why is Sam trying to get back with AJ?”

“Because he’s happy once more, he’s whole again, with a huge thanks to you.” He opened his mouth to say something, than thought better of it.

“What?”

“The specifics of their relationship were not something we all knew. I know he loved her, and up until a certain point, she loved him. But somehow, she fell out of love, and that sent him even more into the shell that he had formed. She swears up and down that it wasn’t her that pushed him over, but there’s a few other guys who don’t trust her.”

“And yet, here you are, along with your friends, allowing her back into this mix with open arms?”

“It’s not like that. AJ has you, Theresa.” He swallowed hard. “You’re there to keep him grounded, to keep him sane.”

“Right, under my wing he won’t ruin himself.”

“AJ loves you. Don’t make it sound like the only reason he’s with you is because he needs your strength.”

“Oh, I know he does, he’s told me enough.”

“But?”

“But right after it comes the part of him saying he doesn’t know what he’ll do if he ever lost my strength.” I turned my gaze to the napkin that was sitting in front of me and started to play with it. “You know, I’m not all too sure if any man I’ve ever been with every wanted me, for me, or for the things that I could for them.” Howie’s fingers inched under my chin and turned my gaze to his, his eyes searching mine.

“Come with me.”

“Where to?” His hand was already around my arm before I get the question out.

“Somewhere.”

-----
“So, AJ,” Terri started, her arms wrapping around his neck, “wanna tell me about Sam.”

“Not on your life.”

“Than let me state something right off the bat. I may have just met her, but I know what she’s doing. I can see the game she’s playing. She’s trying to dig her claws into you again.”

“Interesting for you to say. Why do you say that? She had her chance and blew it. I want nothing to do with her like that.”

“Because I’ve seen her type before Alex. She wants what she can’t have. Theresa makes you happy, and to a girl like that, that’s a rather huge slap in the face. Especially, since Theresa doesn’t even fit in the category of your type.”

“I think you’re worrying over nothing. Sam is beautiful, I won’t deny that. And yes, there’s a history between the two of us. But Sam is not the one I want to be with. I love Theresa, and you know this.”

“Oh, I know. And I know it’s not fear of me that keeps you there.” He smiled and she grinned. “But, for real, AJ, be careful. Sam is one of those women that is more conniving than people give them credit for. I know; I’ve seen it enough times.”

“Oh, yes, I hurt your friend, you hurt me.”

“Well, you would have to answer to me if Theresa gets her heart broken. Believe me; I have no problem kicking your skinny ass.”

“You have nothing to worry over.” Terri searched his eyes, praying that what he said was real.

“I better not, Alex.”

“Excuse me, may I cut in?” Both AJ and Terri pulled apart slightly, seeing a smiling Sam before them. AJ glanced at Terri and Terri shrugged.

“Let me find my girl. It’s bad enough that she didn’t get the first dance.”

“She left. I think to the lady’s room.” AJ’s eyes did a quick scan of the room before landing back on Sam. He felt Terri squeeze his arm.

“It’s okay.” She leaned over and gave him a peck on the cheek. “Remember what I said, I don’t like to repeat myself.” She smiled, than turned and made her back to the table. Sam pressed herself up against AJ as she slide her arms around his neck, her mouth inches from his.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9748