Young At Heart by Simple Sue
Summary:








"and the winner of america's got talent is Shelly Taylor!"


In the matter of five seconds, Shelly's world was turned upside down. All her life, she dreamed of something like this happening, and here it was. Granted, not everything always works out like it should. Especially when the road starts off a tad bumpy,literally.
Her first run in the younger man had her falling flat on her butt, the second wasn't much better when she ran her chair into...well, ya know! And the third...the third started their path of friendship, where each learned there was a stronger hunger burning underneath.


Nick Carter was one of the hottest males around, why would he want an older woman? Sure, she had the looks, certainly didn't appear to be nearly fifteen years his senior.


What happens when the media gets a hold on this relationship? Will she have to sacrifice her heart for her dreams?



Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: Nick, Other
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 37 Completed: No Word count: 44204 Read: 65356 Published: 09/11/09 Updated: 11/05/11

1. Chapter 1 by Simple Sue

2. Chapter 2 by Simple Sue

3. Chapter 3 by Simple Sue

4. Chapter 4 by Simple Sue

5. Chapter 5 by Simple Sue

6. Chapter 6 by Simple Sue

7. Chapter 7 by Simple Sue

8. Chapter 8 by Simple Sue

9. Chapter 9 by Simple Sue

10. Chapter 10 by Simple Sue

11. Chapter 11 by Simple Sue

12. Chapter 12 by Simple Sue

13. Chapter 13 by Simple Sue

14. Chapter 14 by Simple Sue

15. Chapter 15 by Simple Sue

16. Chapter 16 by Simple Sue

17. Chapter 17 by Simple Sue

18. Chapter 18 by Simple Sue

19. Chapter 19 by Simple Sue

20. Chapter 20 by Simple Sue

21. Chapter 21 by Simple Sue

22. Chapter 22 by Simple Sue

23. Chapter 23 by Simple Sue

24. Chapter 24 by Simple Sue

25. Chapter 25 by Simple Sue

26. Chapter 26 by Simple Sue

27. Chapter 27 by Simple Sue

28. Chapter 28 by Simple Sue

29. Chapter 29 by Simple Sue

30. Chapter 30 by Simple Sue

31. Chapter 31 by Simple Sue

32. Chapter 32 by Simple Sue

33. Chapter 33 by Simple Sue

34. Chapter 34 by Simple Sue

35. Chapter 35 by Simple Sue

36. Chapter 36 by Simple Sue

37. Chapter 37 by Simple Sue

Chapter 1 by Simple Sue
"And the title of America's Most Talented this year goes to....'The drumroll only prolonging the announcement of her fate."Shelly Taylor." Her head was spinning. One minute she was a cashier in a grocery store and the next she was singing her heart out on TV for millions of nameless, faceless people and they were the same ones that put her where she was. She'd dreamed her whole life of something like this and bam! at the tender age of 41, it became a reality. Yeah, you saw the age right. People had told her she didn't look her age. Then again, most times she didn't act her age. Maybe that's how she won her audience. Who cared? And after a whirlwhind of television talk shows and early morning radio interviews(she was not a morning person. AT ALL!), she was sent directly into the studio. Her life had been completely turned upside down. The most she'd said to her boyfriend in three months was 'I miss you honey. Gotta go'. She missed him terribly but she also knew she was sacrificing this for the greater good. The greater good being able to move into a house instead a shabby little one bedroom apartment. Maybe even one day get married. Yet their dreams seemed to be getting further and further away as she spent more and more time in the studio. Every time she spoke to him, HE always found a reason to end the call. She was on the phone with him this time and she heard the producer shout to her,"Five minutes Shelly!"
"Hang on." "Got it!"" Okay baby, I'm back."
"But you're gonna have to go. I know."
"Look, I don't want to but this is my dream."
"I know that too."
"What? No more support now that the dream is a reality? Is that it?!"
"That's not it and you know it."
"Then explain it to me."
"You don't have time."
"Not for your teenage attitude I don't!" She said and slammed her cell phone shut. Fucking men! She shoved the phone in her jeans pocket; not really paying attention to where she was going. She ran almost head on into him and his friend."I am so sorry."
"It's cool,"the blonde one responded and instead of making eye contact, she simply stepped around them and headed toward the studio door.
"Wasn't that the chick that won America's Most Talented?"AJ said; grabbing the can of soda from the machine they were now standing in front of .
"Don't know. Don't watch the show that much."
"Oh come on Nick. She's been on every talk show and radio show imaginable since then. I know you've seen her."
He contemplated his bandmate's statement for a minute and said,"Yeah. I guess I do recognize her."
"We need an opening act Nick. She's a natural talent. You know she never had any formal training? Just singing with the music on the radio everyday of her life."
"Fanatic much Age?"
"Okay, so she's hot."
"And she has a man."
"Fanatic much Nick?"
"Okay, so I watched a few times. She is good."
"So should we check it out and see if it's her?"
"Age. We're not even done with our CD yet."
"We're close enough and if we don't snatch that up, somebody else will."
"How do you know she's even done?"
"She' s taking a break. How often do we take a break when we're in the heat of recording?" He raised his brow inquisitively.
"True. Let's talk to Rok and D. See what they think."
"They're gonna agree with me y'know."
"Sure they are. When was the last time we had an opening act through an entire tour?"
"Five years. It's about time we did. The world needs to discover Shelly."
Chapter 2 by Simple Sue
"Remind me why we stayed out all night before an early morning meeting,"AJ grumbled as he and Nick groggily made their way toward the conference room that morning.
"Damned if I remember. It certainly wasn't...." Yawning." Worth it."
"You mind covering your mouth when you do that. Only women find that sexy on you."
"Come on J. You know you love it."
"Not like that little hottie that was all up in your business last night."
"Oh yeah. That was the reason we stayed out all night." Nick grinned as he pushed the door open only to be greeted by a pushed out chair."Shit!" He groaned as he doubled over. The owner of that chair had great aim. He'd be lucky to have children.
Shelly turned to find what fate had dealt her this time. She was nervous enough as it was but David was being a prick. On today of all days. She realized she'd just taken down the youngest member of the group. Not that he was a kid anymore. Definitely not a kid if she could do that much damage to him."Oh man! I'm so sorry. I'm just so nervous and my boyfriend's being a major ass and Oh God! Is he gonna be okay?" She looked nervously at AJ.
AJ chuckled at his friend's misfortune despite the fact that he knew his pain."I think he'll live. You must be Shelly."
Nick finally found his footing again.
"Are you sure you're gonna be okay?" She finally was able to catch a good look at those big blue eyes of his. Oh dear lord help me! This cannot be happening. She could barely handle one man in her life and those gorgeous eyes looking back at her wasn't helping the total embarrassment she was feeling. Nor could she hide it.
"Children may be out of the question for awhile but I'll survive." She was older but damn! she put that girl at the club last night to shame. He knew Shelly was older but it didn't take away the fact that she was smoking hot. The personality SO did not match the outside.
"That just helped so much." Did he know how absolutely adorable he was when he grinned like that? Oh! this was bad. Really, really bad. He was a kid. She shouldn't be thinking of him like that. Why not? Because she had a man she reminded herself. One that was pushing himself out of her life. Purposely she thought as well.
"You know it's really cute how you blush."
"Ummm....thank you."
AJ found himself slowly being excluded. Didn't take a genius to see the sparks starting to fly between those two. Could be a good thing if she gave up her boyfriend. From the sounds of it, she just might. He walked toward the other end of the room with his Starbuck's in hand to meet the other two members of their entourage.
"What's going on there?"Howie inquired.
"She backed her chair out as Nick and I were walking in the room and Wham! right in the family jewels. Didn't know what hit him."
"Oww,"Brian commented.
"Yeah. I definitely felt his pain but this isn't the first time she's run into him."
"She was the one at the studio?"Howie said
"That's how we found her."
"I've seen that look before. This is not going to end well."
"Because she's older? I think she could be really good for him. The inside does not match the outside with her."
"I think he's right,"Brian agreed.
"I'm Nick." He offered his hand and that lopsided grin he was so famous for.
"Shelly." She accepted his hand and felt the electricity. Could he feel it? No. She was just another girl to him. She was sure of it. "Well...ummmm, if you're gonna be okay, I'm gonna go take care of that phone call now. You know, the asshole,"she joked and he laughed. That was genuine laughter. When was the last time David laughed like that? Never.
She was hot but she didn't act like she owned it. It was nice for a change." Be careful there. You know men, they can be real pricks,"he teased.
"I'll keep that in mind. I won't be long. I promise."
He was counting on that. What he hadn't been counting on was her getting under his skin so fast. Maybe it was just the fantasy of an older woman. Yeah, that was it.
Chapter 3 by Simple Sue
It was nearly three months later that their paths crossed again. Literally. The Boys had been in rehearsals and doing promotion for their CD. She'd been doing more promo than rehearsing. Her show wasn't heavy on the choreography but there was some and her first time on stage was a complete disaster. David broke up with her via text message. What a coward! He knew it too. He wanted her to fail her first time out. Well he succeeded from the moment she stepped foot on stage to the very last note when she came off. She was really gonna have to learn to bottle up those emotions until after her performances if she was going to have any success at all. After thanking the audience, she headed offstage and smack into Nick who'd been watching from the sidelines apparently.
"We're really gonna have to stop meeting like this,"He teased but she didn't respond the way he hoped.
"I'm really sorry."
"It's okay."
She stepped around him and headed for the dressing room. He started following her. "Shel?"
She turned back to him."What?" Her voice strangled.
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"Give em time Shel. They'll love you. Even we have a bad night now and again."
"It's not that. I know I can come back there."
"Then what is it?" He took her hand.
Genuine concern. That was nice. She hadn't felt that in quite some time either. She barely knew him but she didn't have many choices of where she could pour her heart out. The rest of them were nice enough but he was about the only one available to share with."It's nothing really."
Something still wasn't right. He might have not been the brightest crayon in the box but he knew when somebody was hurting. "I have to go on in a few Shel but if you need a shoulder later, I've got a nice big one here." Patting his shoulder and smiling.
"I'll think about it. Thank you."



After she showered and freshened up from the batch of tears that she'd cried while she was in there, she found a nice, comfy spot on the side of the stage and watched them. They made it look so easy. And it was so funny to hear the crowd decibal level rise when Nick stripped the top layer off to reveal the wifebeater and that fine assed physique of his.
She'd practically forgotten the fact that her boyfriend had just broke up with her when she saw it. She's a woman, not dead. The show had managed to temporarily distract her from those matters of the heart but it was almost over now and they were doing the encore.
Being as he was the last off the stage, Nick immediately stopped when he saw her there.
"That offer still open?" Biting her lip nervously.
"Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?"
"Oh, I just thought you might have plans after the show."
"Never the first night."
"So...uhhh
"Why don't I call you when I get to the hotel and we'll go from there?"
"I think I can handle that."
"I'll talk to you then." He headed off in the opposite direction and was met by AJ."What was that all about?"
"She had a bad night. Needs someone to talk to."
He raised his brows curiously.
"Come on AJ. I like her but I don't like her like you think I do."
"I think you do. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just remember she has a boyfriend."
"And I thought you were gonna say something about our age difference."
"Now why would I do that? It's only numbers. Just watch yourself Nick."


"So can I get ya anything?" He said as she sat on the edge of the bed.
"No thanks."
"Okay." He grabbed a can of soda and sat down on the bed next to her. "So what's going on?"
"Other than my first time on stage being a total disaster, nothing really."
"You're sure about that?"
"No."
"Well something had you shook up earlier. Did something happen with your boyfriend?"
She nodded her head.
"So you wanna talk about it?"
"Asshole didn't even have the guts to face me. He broke up with me fifteen minutes before stage via a text message," She blurted out. "Said HE couldn't handle the pressure."
"Wow. I think that's the most gutless move I've ever heard of."
"I've had my heart broke before but that just cut in the worst way."
"I wish there was something I could do Shelly."
"You're doing everything you can. You really don't even need to be doing this for me."
"I'm the one that offered the shoulder remember?"
"I know. It's just feels weird pouring my heart out to someone I barely know."
"And younger?"
She was embarrassed to admit to it but that was part of the reason she did feel weird." Um.....yeah."
"Would you feel weird if I was a girl and younger?"
"No because I have a friend that's younger than you."
"We're not talking about age now are we?"
"Guys have always been kinda foriegn to me Nick. Before David, most of my relationships lasted 3 months. If that."
"So he was the biggest bruiser of them all then."
"I feel like I should be crying my eyes out but I've done so much of it already tonight that I don't think I have any left in me."
"Everybody deals different Shel. I shoot hoops."He grinned.
It felt good to be opening up to somebody. It'd be another month before they'd hit her hometown and she would definitely be needing girl time by then." You know, I might take you up on a soda now."
"You got it." Most women her age had been through hell and back in relationships so he knew he had to heed AJ's advice where she was concerned. Not that he was considering a relationship but he needed to be careful where she was concerned. He could see it was the first time her heart had really been broke. She didn't need advice, she just needed somebody to listen.
He was a nice kid. People really didn't give him enough credit. He could be out hooking up with some sweet little thing but he was here listening to her spill her guts. He tossed her the can and said,"So anything you don't like to watch on TV?"
"Sports and The Office. I just don't get that one."
Grabbing the remote from the bedside table, he flipped and settled on some law show. She had her favorites but she'd never seen this one.
"Good?"
"Works for me."
"Kick your shoes off and get comfortable,"he said as he leaned against a stack of pillows piled up against the headboard.
Setting her drink on the opposite table, she slid her shoes off and adjusted her stack of pillows. If you'd have told her she'd be sharing her love life(much less anything else) with Nick Carter, she'd have laughed it off like it was just another fantasy in her long list of them. He was a baby and despite being drop dead gorgeous, she was going to deny the very chemistry she felt the first time she met him.
No denying she was every young man's fantasy but he couldn't see this going any further than what it was. He was trying to believe it would go no further than friendship but he knew himself too well. He would at least try. The age thing was just numbers as AJ put it but for a change, he was looking for something more than just the physical(which was very much alive between them).
She blearily opened her eyes the next morning to find herself curled up on one very long, lean torso. She also felt the arms around her. Oh shit! Looking at her state of dress, she breathed a sigh of relief to find herself fully clothed.
"Nothing happened."
Embarrassment flushed her face as she looked up to him.
"It's really cute how you do that."
"Why?" She leaned up so she was looking him in the eye. God! he had really beautiful eyes.
"Because it really makes me want to do something like this." His lips approaching hers.
She could feel his breath there. No way was this happening. Couldn't be. Shouldn't be.
Chapter 4 by Simple Sue
So close! So goddam close and the phone had to ring! He hesitated briefly before reaching over to grab the annoying sound."What?"
"Good morning to you too Nick,"Brian said.
"Something that couldn't wait another two hours?"
"Yeah. Shelly's manager, Brent hasn't been able to reach her and she's supposed to be downstairs in fifteen minutes. You wouldn't happen to know where she is?"
"Yeah I do. She's right here. We fell asleep watching TV."
"Are you out of your fucking mind Nick?!"
"What?!"
"Let's see. National Enquirer ring any bells?"
"Oh please."
"Don't oh please me man. You know what they can do. She has a boyfriend Nick."
"No she doesn't."
Didn't take a genius to figure out the conversation was about her. She slipped out of his arms to retrieve the noise requesting her answer. Flipping it open, she was greeted with,"Where the hell are you?"
"Good morning. I'm in Nick's room."
"Please tell me you didn't do what I think you did Shel."
"Jeez Brent! Everybody thinks I've screwed the guy." He wasn't unattractive but she didn't just jump into bed with the first available body either. Besides, she wasn't so vulnerable that he could have taken advantage of the situation.
"Did you? I mean your personal life is your own but Nick's been known to take advantage of these situations a time or two."
Unbelievable! She hung up and started searching for her shoes as she heard Nick still getting the third degree. From who she wasn't sure but this was not starting out well at all. Her cell phone rang again and she let it go to voice mail. After seeing the time, she knew what all the hub bub was about trying to locate her. She'd deal with Brent when she got downstairs. She looked over to Nick and pointed toward the door to let him know she was leaving.
He covered the mouthpiece."You gonna be okay?"
"I made it through last night right?" And smiled.
"Call me later okay?"
"I don't have your number."
"Nick!" The voice yelled through the earpiece.
He ignored it and motioned her to come back over to the bed. He took her cell phone from her and entered his number into her address book."Call me later."
"I will." She smiled and left him there for more ass chewing from who she could ascertain the voice was Brian on the other end.
"Have you got the goodbye kiss out of your system?!" Brian bellowed.
"I haven't even kissed her. I just put my number in her cell phone dweeb!"
"But you want to."
"Yes I do and I would have had you not called this morning."
"You'll thank me later for that."
"Does everybody think I'm so much of an ass that I would take advantage of a woman I just met?"
"That's how most men work and your reputation precedes you Nick."
"We've been friends how long Bri?"
"Seventeen years but what does that have to do with anything?"
"If you can't trust that after all this time I've actually grown up in that area then you haven't been paying attention."
"Fair enough buddy. It's just that she has a boyfriend."
"And I told she doesn't anymore. He broke up with her fifteen minutes before she went on through a text message."
"Now there's a wuss of a man."
"She just needed somebody to listen and take her mind off things for awhile. That's all I did. I swear it Brian."
"I trust you. I'm not against it but just be careful okay?"
"I know what I'm doing but thanks."


Brent looked over at Shelly on the way to the radio station and saw the sign he didn't want to see. She was hooked. Nick had her. He'd seen it before."So what did you and Nick 'talk' about last night?"
"Excuse me, did you say something?"
"I'm sorry Shelly but he does have a reputation."
"Reputations are built on rumors Brent. Nothing happened. I'd probably be a heck of a lot happier if I had slept with him but my boyfriend broke up with me fifteen minutes before the show last night over a text message and Nick offered to listen. Maybe he had those intentions. Maybe not but he didn't follow through on them if he did. I like him. I like all of them. Does that make me a slut because one of them offers a shoulder every now and again?"
"No but you're a celebrity now. You're under a microscope twenty four hours a day. Your life is not your own anymore and he should know that too."
"I'm sure he does but we are adults here."
"Yeah moreso than he."
"I'm well aware of our age difference and if having him as a friend is a crime, then sign me up because so far he's been the only honest human being on this little journey of mine."
"I just don't want to see you get hurt. All I'm doing is giving you fair warning."
"I'll keep that in mind Brent." Not that she would listen of course.
Chapter 5 by Simple Sue
Nick: Where r u?

Shelly: Follow the noise.

Nick: ?

Shelly: The noise my phone makes when u text me next time u dork. :op

Nick: Blonde moment.

Shelly: That's mine Carter. U find me yet?

Nick: No. I think I'm getting closer tho.

Shelly: No wonder I can smell smoke. :D

Nick: Just wait til I find u girl.

Shelly: If u can :op



Little did she know he'd been carrying on their conversation for about the last two text messages from behind her on the drum riser where she was sitting behind the kit. He tapped her on the shoulder. She tilted her head back to look up and see him there.
"Hi."
"Brat." Sticking her tongue out at him.
"Didn't your Mom tell you not to do that unless you're gonna use it?"
Did he just flirt? They'd been friendly for the last three weeks but they'd made a pact to not be alone together. Ever. They knew what was happening. They were just trying to avoid the very real fact that it was going to happen. However, they were alone now but it was a public place so they should be safe right?" You want me to use it?"
Was that a trick question? He'd been dying for her to use it but he was taking the high road these days and going for a more mature approach to relationships. You know, get to know the girl before you 'get to know' the girl. He wanted more than what was happening at that very moment. The only other factor in this game was the age factor. It was weirding both of them out. If they got involved, how was he gonna explain that one to family? Funny how your heart doesn't balance that into the equation when you fall for someone. Because you're supposed to fall for somebody your own age, right?" Put that thing away. Why are you sitting here?"
"I was just tooling around with the drums. Don't really know how to play them."
"Well show me what you can do."
"I'll give it a shot." Grabbing the sticks and beating out a pathetic rhythm. At least she thought it was.
"Well you've got the right idea. Here, let me help you through the basics."Kneeling behind her; his hands sliding down her arms. Shit! did she smell good. Concentrate Nick! Adjusting his hands over hers, he guided her through a basic rhythm.
Sure she'd felt his hands on her before but not like this. Then his breath on her neck as he led her through the elementary beat.
"That was good. Wanna try it on your own now?" His voice ragged.
"Maybe I should." But he wasn't moving.
"You smell nice Shel."
"Nick...please."
"I don't want to be just friends anymore Shel."
"I thought we decided that it would be better if -"
He cut her off mid sentence when she turned to look at him. His lips caught hers. Those first few seconds so chaste.
It was nice. She didn't want him to stop after all. She turned to face him.
"I'm sorry Shel. I just couldn't help myself and I-
She placed a finger over his lips then replaced it with hers. The age thing was still a slight bother but his technique proved to be wise beyond his years. His body tight against hers; his hands resting at her hips. His lips parting slightly; inviting her to play. Her hands slipping into the short mass of hair as they continued to seek out one another with their mouths. Nothing seemed to matter. The fact that they COULD get caught completely eluded either one of them but Shelly knew that if they didn't stop soon, this was gonna lead right to a bedroom. Not right away but it would definitely be sooner than she anticipated. Bracing his shoulders, she breathlessly pulled out of the kiss.
"Something wrong?"
"Far from it. I just don't want us to get caught y'know?"
"Little late for that don'tcha think?" He grinned.
She just melted when did that."Yeah but I still think we should stop."
"If you're sure."
Grabbing his face, she captured his lips and seized the moment for all it was worth."Now I'm sure."
"We're in trouble aren't we?"
"Yeah but I think if we keep it under the radar we'll be okay."
He kissed her one more time before leaving. Hey, if they were gonna catch hell for it, may as well make it worthwhile.
Chapter 6 by Simple Sue
"My God! You really are becoming a star Shel!" Her friend Theresa commented the next afternnoon as Shelly came offstage after the soundcheck. "You've really got that rock star thing going."
"I'm trying."
"Well you're doing a damn fine job girl. Something else going on that your bestie should know about?"
"Other than the whole David fiasco, no."
"Then why do you keep checking your cell every three seconds woman?" She nudged her teasingly.
"Have I been?"
"Yeah." She stopped Shelly and she turned to look at her friend. Theresa knew her friend all too well. She had all the signs of a being in love or at the very least, very much in like. Most likely not wanting to admit to it either. "Oh no. I know the signs Shel. You've got it bad. Who is he and why don't I know about him?"
Shelly sighed. Theresa is not going to let this go until she gets an answer. Sometimes she hated having a friend that was so in tune with her feelings then other times, it really worked to their advantage." I don't wanna talk about it out here okay?"
"Okay. I'll wait til we get to your dressing room then."
"Thank you." They walked in silence but once they were behind the quiet walls of her dressing room, Theresa laid in.
"I want details. Down to the very last juicy one."
"Nothing like that's happened yet."
"So why all the secrecy?"
"Because it's Nick."
Her eyes widened. Knew that one was going to happen.
"So you're not gonna give me any lecture or anything here?"
"What exactly am I supposed to say?"
"I don't know. I thought you might say something about the age difference."
"Does it bother you? Of course it does. You've always told me you wanted to date a younger man but now that the opportunity is here, you're not so sure right?"
"Yeah."
"Does it bother him?"
"A little I think. Okay. A lot. Before we kissed that is."
"Oh hell no you did not just hold out on me like that girlie! Details!"
"Yesterday. We've kinda been fighting it since the beginning of the tour."
"So he's the shoulder you chose instead of me when David broke up with you? I'm hurt." She mocked pain as she held her hands over her heart.
"I'm sorry. He was here. And he was sweet. Although we caught hell the next morning for falling asleep watching TV in his room."
"Didn't you used to write about stuff like that happening Shel?"
"Yeah but this is reality here."
"So?" She raised her brows in inquiry to the question burning.
"The boy has a great set of lips. And hands." Biting her lip; a cheshire cat grin following it.
"But?"
"But he usually texts me four or five times a day and I haven't heard from him once."
"Maybe he just got busy today Shel. It does happen. He's a big pop star you know."
"I know. I just keep thinking maybe he got weirded out by the age thing again. Like we're not supposed to like each other that way because of it."
"Did it when you were just friendly?"
"Not as much."
"Give it a little time Shel cuz I can see it's got you a litte freaked out as well."
"I know. Excuse me," Shelly said and went to answer the knock on the door.
"Got a minute?" Nick said.
She opened the door to reveal her friend.
"Oh. Maybe after the show?"
"I can leave and find somebody to bug. Perhaps you could direct me toward AJ?" Theresa teased as she approached the door."I'm Theresa, friend of Shelly."
"Nick and AJ's just around the way there."
"Thank you." And left the two alone.
Shelly closed the door behind them and turned to find herself trapped against the door.
"I've been thinking about you all day,"Nick said; locking in her gaze.
"Is that why you didn't text me today?"
"I'm sorry. Today was a little busier than usual."
"Okay. So it's not the age thing." His lips descending upon hers; softly brushing them.
"Not so much anymore."Softly kissing her. "You?" Pulling her tighter against himself.
"I'm willing to give it a shot if you are."
"Good. Now that we got that out of the way."His mouth hungrily devouring her.
Her hands greedily consumed every inch of him she could. Their mouths fused together; his hand slipping right down around her ass and drawing her leg right up around him. It was getting way too hot and if it hadn't been for the knock on the
door, it would have gotten a lot more x-rated. She wasn't sure if that was a blessing or a curse.
"Shel, the guys are looking for Nick. Find the keys for the handcuffs and let him go,"Theresa teased.
Nick stopped."You have handcuffs?" Wiggling his brows.
She was gonna have to kill her friend. Soon. She blushed.
"I really hate it when you do that."
"Why?"
"Because I have to do this again." Stealing her breath with his kiss."We'll talk about those handcuffs later." And winked before he opened the door to leave.
When Theresa came back in, Shelly glared at her.
"What?! I figured it was the only way to separate you two. You could hear the moaning coming through the door and I didn't want you to get caught but I couldn't save you. AJ WAS with me."
"Shit!"
"I don't think he's gonna say anything Shel. Besides, I think he's more on your side than you like to believe."
"I guess. It's just the others I'm worried about."
Chapter 7 by Simple Sue
"Nick. Bud. Where ar you?" AJ questioned him over his cell phone while waiting for him to get on their bus that night.
"I'm with Shelly on her bus."
"What's going on Nick?"
"We're just hangin out. Is there something wrong with that?" He said defensively.
"If that's all you're doing, no."
"What if we were doing more?"
"Not mine to say Nick but I am on your side. Just remember Shelly came out a relationship just a couple of months ago. She may not be ready for the same things you are."
"And how do you know what I'm ready for?"
"I've known you how long Nick?"
He couldn't deny that AJ knew him pretty much as well as he knew himself but things were different with Shelly. He couldn't explain what it was but he didn't want to move that fast with her. Kissing was as far as they'd gone. Sometimes it was a little rough but he didn't want to ruin what they had with sex because that's the point where it all changed."Age, I like her. I'm not gonna mess it up by doing anything stupid."
"Okay. I guess I was imagining things were going on there."
"As I said, I like her. We're friends. That's all it is right now."
"Like I said Nick, I'm on your side but I'm on hers too so be careful. I like her too."
"What does that mean?"
"I just think she's nice and sweet and I don't want to see either of you hurt. Man! I think you do have something for her."
"Goodbye AJ,"Nick said and clicked his phone off as Shelly emerged from the bathroom.
"Everything okay?"she inquired sweetly.
"Couldn't be better. I told AJ I was hanging with you."
"And he's okay with that?"
"Doesn't matter if he is or not. He says on our side."
"Out of all them, I think he may be the only one."
"I think so too."
"So what are we watching tonight?" As she settled on the bed next to him.
"How do you feel about action/adventure movies?"
She furrowed her brow; contemplating the thought and responded."I'll give em a shot."
"I know for a fact that if I would have told you Mark Wahlberg was in it, you wouldn't have blinked."
"Well of course not cuz he's hot," she said and straddled his lap.
"Oh is he now?" His hands resting on her hips.
"Yeah but not quite as hot as this guy I just started seeing."
"So why don't you tell me about him?"
" You sure you wanna hear about him?"
"I don't know. Might spoil things for us."
"I'll risk it for a sweet thing like you."
"Well, he's got the most gorgeous blue eyes like you." Her lips brushing his.
"Go on." As her breath lingered there near his.
"Soft, dirty blonde hair." Slipping her fingers through it as she captured his mouth; completely consuming him. She felt his hands slipping underneath the material of her sweats. Lord did his hands feel really good there. Her hands moved down to tug the wifebeater from the waist of his sweatpants. He pulled away briefly and discarded the offending item.
He felt her hands tentatively move over his body. Their eyes met and he hungrily attacked her mouth; totally unaware of the miles passing by outside now. She pulled away and removed her T-shirt. Readjusting, she now laid beneath him. He was very aware of the rise and fall of her full, rounded breasts covered in pink lace."God, you're beautiful."
"Nick!"
"And sexy." Kissing her as he tripped the clasp on the front of bra. He pushed away the lacy covering; his hand encompassing one as his mouthed made work of the other. His tongue traced circles around her nipple before completely closing over it. He lightly tugged the erect protrusion. His tongue trailed down toward her belly button as he continued to play with her nipple. He reached his destination; circling the indentation before he stopped himself. He couldn't do this. He didn't know why but he couldn't do it. Physically maybe but he was definitely not ready to step this far with her yet. He didn't understand it but he couldn't have sex with her just to have sex. He wanted more.
"Something wrong?"Shelly looked down at him.
"Nothing.... just, I can't do this."
"I thought you were doing just fine."
He moved from his position and rested against the wall."I can't explain it."
"Maybe because you're not just in it for the sex this time?"She suggested. Not that she liked it but maybe he was right in stopping.
"Because I know you're not ready here."His hand moving over her heart." And maybe I'm not ready there either."
Chapter 8 by Simple Sue
"Whatcha doing?" The gravely voice came from above her.
Looking up from her cell phone, she saw AJ."Hey. How's it going?"
"Not bad but I know you didn't stay just to listen to our soundcheck," he commented as he took the folding chair next to hers in the arena.
"No. I stayed to watch you shake your bootay,"she teased.
"Y'know, you're as bad as that friend of yours."
"And which one would that be?"
"You mean you have more than one?"
"At least I have one."
"One point to the lady but on a serious note, we're going dancing after the show, wanna come?"
"Is Age bothering you Shel?"Nick sat down on the opposite side of her.
Just the fact that he was this close to her sent her blood boiling and the heat rising from the center of her legs. And that he could do it just by his mere presence baffled her. No man had ever done that and Nick was nearly fifteen years her junior. He shouldn't have that kind of power over her. Well the fact that she could remember the way her skin tingled as his tongue traced over it didn't help matters either. So far they'd managed to keep things under the radar but it was getting harder and harder to disguise it when they had to look at one another."No. Just wanted to know if I wanted to go dancing with you guys tonight."
"And?"
"I'm thinking about it but I gotta go. You know, that silly work thing they make me do every now and again,"she teased as she rose from her chair and left AJ and Nick alone.
Nick's eyes remained glued to her ass as she walked away. Three months was a long time in man years to go without but he decided he was doing it for the greater good. What he didn't know....oh wait, he did. She was a woman, not some little twentysomething starlet trying to further her career.
"God Carter! Take a picture,"AJ said.
"What?"
"How long you been doing that?" Referring to Shelly.
"I'm not. I thought we'd gone over the fact that she's hot."
"Yeah but you were burning a hole in her ass like you'd already tapped it."
"C'mon AJ, we're friends."
"You keep saying that."
"Because it's the truth J. Just let it go,"he replied exasperatedly as he started walking away from his friend.
"Then I guess you won't mind if I try and hit her up then."
Nick froze in his tracks. That he didn't expect. More like didn't want to hear but he had to play it off. They knew the media blitz that was going to occur once they revealed their relationship and right now they were going with the later, rather than sooner scenario. Loosening the tautness in his broad shoulders, he plastered on a smile before turning his head and replied,"Knock yourself out." Before heading around the corner. When he knew he was a safe distance down the hallway, he started typing in a message to her on his cell.


Nick: Are you going?

Shelly: Are you?

Nick: You know you don't have to.

Shelly: Would it bother you if I did?

Nick: No.

Shelly: I know u too well Nick. It's AJ isn't it?

Nick: Yeah. I know how he is.

Shelly: I can handle AJ. U know better than that lollipop :op

Nick: Are U sure?

Shelly: Positive.

Nick: Then I'll see u later?

Shelly : Turn around

Nick: Okay.



Taking her direction, he turned to see her standing in the doorway of the dressing room. He blushed for the first time as she was wearing nothing more than a robe. The things he could do.
"You're kinda cute when you do that,"she commented and winked."See ya later, studly." And closed the door.
Chapter 9 by Simple Sue
Shelly checked herself in the mirror one last time before switching the light off and locating her heels. She was worried about being overdressed because it had been forever since she'd been to a nightclub. Once she stepped outside her room's door, the admiring gaze told her she'd made the right choice. The white leather mini skirt was still a little short for her liking but she had the figure to pull it off and it covered what it needed to cover. AJ's deep chocolate eyes did a once over before she said,"Too much?"
"You look great Shel. Pink really is your color." Referring to the sheer pink shawl blouse with a matching silk tank top underneath."And it matches that color in your cheeks."
"You guys are really great for a girl's ego."
"Well we do try,"Nick commented as he appeared in the hallway."You look beautiful tonight Shelly."
"Well, I do try." Maybe he would finally admit to what was going on between them now. Nothing else seemed to be working.
"Shall we?"AJ interrupted; noting the stolen moment between the 'couple'. He knew what was going on and he had every intention of pushing every last button to get Nick's admission.
"I'm ready,"Shelly said and started heading toward the elevator. AJ was close behind as he fell into step with her before they arrived. The ride downstairs was deathly silent but AJ quickly broke it.
"So Shel, when was the last time you really partied?"
"Never,"she said and grinned.
"Seriously?"
"Seriously. Just before my junior year of high school, me and a few friends went up to the local lake, Horsetooth and they went skinny dipping. I stayed on the beach. I wasn't very comfortable with myself then."
"You don't seem to have any problems now."
"No because I hit thirty five and realized that life's too short and I was missing out on it." Hoping once again that would evoke some sort of reaction from the man that was supposed to be hers. Nothing. Fine. He's on his own tonight. Not that she didn't care about him but AJ was his friend for God sake! Couldn't they trust him? Apparently not with this they couldn't.
"Good decision,"AJ said and allowed her into the waiting vehicle first. This was gonna be fun.


Two sweaty hours later, she and AJ were still grinding it out on the dance floor. She didn't exactly feel comfortable using AJ against Nick but she was tired of being hidden and being afraid of what would happen once they announced their thing. Shit! Ashton and Demi made it work, why couldn't they? What was Nick so afraid of? AJ's hands on her hips drew her back to him.
"I didn't think you were gonna be able to keep up with me,"he said as the music blared around them; the bass guiding their movement.
"I'm not that old AJ."
"That's not what I meant. I just didn't realize how well you moved until now." She was facing away from him and he pulled her back closer toward himself.
She rested her head against his shoulder and searched the crowd to see if Nick was watching and indeed he was. But he wasn't making any attempt to show that he had anything invested in her.
AJ couldn't figure out what was going on. He'd done everything this side of fucking her on the dance floor and nada! zip, zilch, zero! Maybe a kiss would break his friend's resolve." I could get used to this y'know."
"What? Me? or my moves?"
"You. And your moves." His hand slipped around her waist; landing on her stomach. Her hand rested over it as his free hand slid down her thigh.
God! that felt good! Maybe it was the lack of sex that was doing this to her but if Nick didn't care, she was gonna take full advantage of the attention she was getting."Maybe we should take this somewhere a little more private."
That sounded great and all but he wasn't gonna take complete advantage of her vulnerability. Just a kiss. On the dance floor. That should do it."How 'bout we just slow it down a little?" Turning her around as the music had slowed.
"Fine with me. "Draping her arms around his neck.
"So tell me something Shel."
"What's that?"
"Why is Nick glaring at us?"
Turning her head briefly before answering him."No clue. Don't really care either."
"Hmmm.....I thought you two had something going on."
"You thought wrong."
Fair game now."Then I guess I wouldn't be wrong in doing this."His lips moving toward hers; allowing her ample time to refuse. But she didn't. No wonder Nick had been keeping her a secret. The world around them ceased to exist as lips separated and tongues twisted into that age old dance of lust. He just wanted to get lost in her for more than this but he knew she'd be in Nick's arms before the night was over."No wonder he's been keeping you a secret."
"I thought we were clear on that issue."
"I am. Just making sure you are." As he saw Nick leaving the club. Alone. If that didn't get him to admit it, nothing would.
Chapter 10 by Simple Sue
"Did you have a good time tonight Shel?" AJ said as they stood in front of her door.
"The best." Slipping her arms around his neck.
"So we could do this again sometime?"
"Just name the time and place and I'm all yours."
"You do know what you're saying?"
"Very much so."
"So you know I'm very tempted to kiss you again." Pulling her closer.
"So what's stopping you?"
"Not a damn thing."Seeing Nick over her shoulder; watching them. Completely consuming her. He backed her against the door; drawing her leg up around him.
If she weren't so much of a lady, she'd ask him in right now.
He knew he had to restrain himself despite the very pressing matter in his jeans."I gotta go."
"Sure you don't want to come in?" She knew he wanted to and her morals had just flown out the window.
Kissing her once more, he softly whispered in her ear."We won't have anything to look forward to if I don't leave now."
Nice save Mr. Mclean. She knew what he was doing but that attention whore in her had jumped out and was fully ready to play as long as he did."When you're right, you're right. Goodnight."Softly kissing him before he walked away. She lingered at her door just a bit too long with the memory of his lips before she heard the voice she wished would have come in the morning instead of now.
"We need to talk,"Nick stated firmly. He wasn't gonna fly off the handle here he decided. No. He could save it until they got inside at least.
"Isn't that supposed to be my line?" Shelly returned as she slid the card in the slot; pushing the door handle down when it signaled her to do so.
"I'm not laughing."
"Neither am I." She flipped the switch on as he brushed past her into her room.
"Come on in."
He raked his fingers through his and looked at her. Those ocean blue eyes had turned dark with anger." Why Shelly?!
Why did you do it?!"
"I assume you're talking about the kiss."Calmly setting her purse on the dresser and stepping out of her heels.
"What else would I be talking about. How could you do this to me?!"
"To you?! What about what you did to me?!"
" What did I do to you?!"
"Would it have killed you to interrupt us?"
"Yes! Then everybody would have known!"
"Known what Nick?! That you were defending a friend? That's all they would have known."
"I'm not very good at hiding my feelings for you anymore Shel."
"You did a damn good job tonight!"
"Because I had to."
"No you didn't. Would it have killed us to tell AJ? Far as I can tell, he's the only one on our side right now."
"I just.....
"I get it. I'm too old for you."
"That's not it! I just want to be sure about this before we put it out there Shel. I care too much about you to see the media tear you apart."
"I'm not worried about the media Nick. I've seen what your fans do to any woman that gets near you. It's like they don't want you to be happy."
"That's not true."
"It is too. Excuse me,"she said and went to answer her door.
"Got a minute?"AJ said.
"Yeah. Nick was just leaving." She glared at him
"I can come back."
"No. You can stay."
"We're not through Shelly,"Nick growled.
"It's my room. We're through."
"So you can get freaky with the freak?"Nick snapped.
"Not that it's any of your business but he's been better company than you have these days."
"I just came to apologize,"AJ responded quietly.
"No need. I was a willing participant and if Nick would get his head out of his ass and admit that we have something going on, then he'd have every right to be pissed off because then I'd be his girlfriend kissing on his best friend. Right now I'm just the opening act on your tour that happened to go out and have a good time with AJ."
"Nick I'm on your side here. This goes no further than here until you guys tell me. Shelly's a fantastic woman and any guy in your position would be lucky to have her. Man up or you're gonna lose her," AJ said as he left the room.
She took a deep breath as her head landed against the closed door. What the hell was she thinking when she got involved with a younger man?! She wasn't because he gave her that vitality that she craved and at the same time could carry on a conversation without it feeling forced. Nobody gave the guy credit. He was a man now and yet his fans still treated him like the little boy they fell in love with. And that's exactly how she was treating him tonight. She was acting like a high school girl trying to make her boyfriend jealous. She succeeded but now she had to go be a grown up again.
Like she should have done in the first place.
His elbows on his knees, he rested his head on the palms of his hands. This was nuts! They were both adults and they were both acting childish but she started it. Oh please Nick! Even you don't buy that. She was just trying to get you to admit to something quite frankly, neither of you is ready to admit to. It's all there. You just need to let go of the fear. Easier said than done. He watched as her stockinged feet came into his line of view from where he sat on the bed." You want me to leave?" He said without so much as looking up.
"No, but I'm still mad. Not so much at you but more at myself."
That caught his attention. Most women he dated were always in the right( no matter what the situation). His eyes moved up to meet hers; only mere inches away from him. "Why? You're right."
"Am I?"
He nodded affirmatively. They just looked at one another for what seemed forever. The words he wanted to say seemed to remain caught in his throat. He did however, manage to produce them. "I'm scared Shel." He finally admitted.
His voice was strangled and she could feel the vulnerability. She reflected everything he was feeling." I am too blue eyes but we've made it this far right?" Gently grabbing his fidgety hands and softly pressed her lips against the backs of them.
Their eyes locked and for the first time ever, that fear of their revalation disappeared. Screw 'em all! If they couldn't accept whom he chose to date, then they couldn't accept him. "It's not gonna be easy."
"Not as much fun if it is,"she teased.
"So you're really ready to deal with this?"
"For as long as the ride lasts."
Chapter 11 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:
I do apologize for the delay. I've been fighthing some mad writer's block then the flu so thanks for hanging and as always, feedback is appreciated. Enjoy!
He sighed."Well.....
She interrupted him."That's a deep subject but ....I'm gonna go get ready for bed." There was no mistaking the tone of her voice. She wanted him to stay. She needed him to stay.
He watched as she made her way across the room to her suitcase. She was slightly bent over as she ruffled through it. This was it. There was no doubt in his mind where tonight would lead .
After closing the door behind herself, she stripped of the smoke scented clothing and replaced it with the floor length gown she'd purchased the day before; dusty rose accentuated with cream colored lace and a slit clear up to the thigh. She lightly spritzed her favorite(and his) perfume all over herself and fluffed her shoulder length hair one last time before opening the door. She flipped the switch off and stepped out into the room. She found him sitting in the middle of the bed wearing nothing more than a pair of gray boxerbriefs. Unbelievable that this man wanted her. Lord did he look yummy! Long and lean with muscles rippling in all the right places. Sandy blonde hair all mussed up. Just the way she liked it and those gorgeous blue eyes showing her the same appreciation as they took a lengthy journey over her. The kid could have any woman in the world and he wanted her. It was that fact alone that was making her hear race twice as fast as it normally did.
Could she get any more beautiful......scratch that, stunning! He didn't think so. She was taking his breath away as it was. She crawled onto the bed and straddled his lap. Her cleavage staring him right in the face. He knew she could feel the rise in his shorts. It made her smile. He loved making her smile like that. Her delicate hands framed his face." You are so beautiful."
She giggled and softly kissed him. His hands slipped up under the silky material of her gown; the spaghetti strap draping slightly off her shoulder. "You're taking a lot for granted y'know."
"Am I?"
Shelly simply responded with another kiss; turning the fire up this time. His hands moved around to the curve of her behind. His hands belonged there but her nerves were starting to get the better of her. Last time he slowed things down but how many times could she expect him to bring it to a roaring halt. Especially since what she was feeling between her thighs was becoming more of a distraction to her than it was to him she was sure. She felt that fire burning below as they continued to explore one another; from the swirl of their tongues to the gentle caresses moving over each other. The sensations become more explicit and she was beneath him. She'd been there once before and he'd been the one to put the kaibosh on the flame. As she felt the silk sliding up over her stomach with his hands, she also felt that sensation she'd been a stranger to for nearly six months. The last time she'd been touched there with a mouth was when she was with David. She knew Nick would take care of her in every aspect before he'd even thought of himself but she was still scared. "Nick." Her body screaming for more but she knew if she let it go any further, it wouldn't be right.
His head moved from between her thighs. He knew that look. He didn't like it but he understood it. SHE wasn't ready this time. He was so sure this was gonna be it. That he could say goodbye to all those endless nights he'd been more than friendly with his hand. Moving to the opposite side of the bed, he willed his erection down before even looking at her. She was older than he was. Wasn't she supposed to know what this does to a man? Probably but he cared far too much for her to be selfish and have his way with her when he knew it wasn't right.
"I'm sorry Nick." She looked at him apologetically "I really thought-"
"It's okay Shel." Taking her hand and gently pressing his lips against it. " We'll get the timing right one of these days." He reassured her with a smile. He hated doing this to her. He really did care about her but his body disagreed with that emotional part of him.
"You're not mad?"
"I'm not mad. I'd be lying to say I'm not disappointed. I want to be with you more than anything in the world but it has to be because we both want to be there not because you think I need it." She really did look fragile; like she was gonna crack at any minute. He knew he had to get out of there or he was going to lose it right along with her.
"Thank you for understanding."
"Really Shel, it's nothing. We'll know when the time's right." Planting one last kiss on her hand before letting go and dressing.
"You don't have to go."
It was really starting to tear him up the way she was looking at him. He did have to go or they'd do something she'd really regret."I do have to go. Not because I don't want to be with you but because I don't want you to end up doing something you'll really regret. I love you Shel."Leaning over and softly kissing her on the lips. He grabbed his shoes and headed out the door. Did he just tell her that he loved her?! He meant it but he just needed to be far from the situation right now and the hotel bar was about a good a place as any to lose himself. He sat at the bar contemplating the third rum and coke sitting before him when the cute little blonde that had been eyeing him from the opposite end of the bar slipped up beside him and whispered,"I've got a room."
"So do I." He took the drink in one swig. Maybe it was the frustration or maybe it was the alcohol but she was looking good enough for a quick roll. Surely Shellly would understand that it would only be a physical thing and this girl was physical in all the right places. Well her tits were store bought but he could deal with that."Nick."
"I know. Cassie."
A groupie. Great! Oh well, she was very willing and that's all he needed. "Let's go,"he slurred as he destroyed the fourth and final drink set before him.


The boisterious voices and giggling proceeded to get more annoying as she attempted to find sleep for the third time since he'd left her. She couldn't. She knew she was wrong for leading him on this way but she'd gone from one man to the next without so much as a break for herself between relationships. She threw a robe on and opened her door to find AJ had discovered the noise before she did. Nick had a cheap little floozie draped all over him and AJ had noticed the look in Shelly's eyes before she even slammed the door.
AJ saw the look in Nick's eyes. Oh shit! this wasn't good!
Nick disposed of the cheap piece of ass he picked up and was pounding drunkenly on Shelly's door." Please Shel. Let's talk about it."
"Go away!" She screamed as the tears spilled from her eyes.
"C'mon baby. You know I love you!" He protested in his drunken stupor.
Oh that was it! The fucking asshole thought he could say it and everything would be fine and dandy. He may be a pop star but he was a man...no, he was still too much of a kid to be understanding how she really felt. If he'd ever had a woman that really cared about him, he'd have known how to handle this. She'd been curled in a ball against the door. She wiped the tears draining from her eyes and stood. She didn't care if he saw that she was a complete mess. He should know exaclty what he's done(even if he wouldn't remember it in the morning). At least he'd see it now. Yanking the door open, she looked at him."Fucking liar! Don't you ever come near me again you asshole! I trusted you!"
"But Shel....."His hand curved against her cheek.
"It's four in the morning Nick! Just leave me alone!"
"But .. I'm....
"No you're not."
"Come on Nick. Leave the lady alone." He grabbed his friend's arm and tugged him away.
"But I love her Age." The words blended together as she closed the door behind them.
She'd been right all along. Men were pigs. They only used one brain and when they didn't get their way with one woman, well............
Chapter 12 by Simple Sue
Shelly had just come out of the bathroom to her cell phone blaring her friend's celebrated ringtone of Drive By Love and wished to God she could change that but then she wouldn't know when her friend needed her cuz Lord knows she needed her friend right now. It's like Theresa had a sixth sense when it came to her. She flipped the phone open and greeted her as though nothing were bothering her."Hey girlie! What's going on?"
"That's what I'd like to know. I haven't talked to you in forever Miss Celebrity."
"Well don't get too jealous there chica cuz my life is a real mess right now."
"So what's going on?"
Shelly took a deep breath."Well , besides doing something that will most likely put me on the cover of the Enquirer just to get my boyfriend's attention, whom I might add, is a total prick, nothing."
"So what'd he do?"
"Let's see, AJ, Nick and I went out clubbin' last night and I thought maybe if I draped myself all over AJ like a cheap suit, Nick might stand up and be a man but no such luck. He waited until I almost pulled AJ into my room for the night."
"Hold up! You were kissing on my man?!"
"He's not your man."
"He will be though but continue."
"I restrained myself despite the sizzle factor but Nick pushed his way into my room and we got into it over the whole making it public issue again. We came to the agreement that we were ready and then I kinda put it out there that I wanted him to stay with me but I got scared again. He then proceeded to haul his ass downstairs to the lounge but not before telling me that he loved me. So about four in the morning, there was an obscene amount of noise coming from the hallway. I peered out and found him with some little plastic titted bimbo draped all over him. I slammed the door but he'd woken everybody up anyway. As soon as he got rid of her, he then pounded incessantly on my door telling me how much he loved me. I opened the door and pretty much told him to stay the hell away from me."
"Don't you think you're being a bit hypocritical Shel?"
"Huh?"
"Well you were hitting all over one of his best friends for a better part of the night. Couldn't have been all that easy for him to just stand by and watch you do it."
"Thanks Theresa. I tell you I just had my heart broke and now you're telling me that I'm a bitch for doing what I did to him."
"Two wrongs don't make it right chica. You both screwed up. I'm not saying that you should cut him a lot of slack because it sounds like he had every intention of going through with it and you didn't."
"When you're right, you're right. So what do I do girlie?"
"Make him suffer for a couple of days then go from there. I know there's more going on there than everybody sees. You are just afraid to let go and let him in."
"I know. I have to let go of David."
"It's not David, Shel. It's you. Nick wants to give you the world. You're just afraid that if you let him do it, you're gonna be the one that hurts him right?"
"Yeah. And you know me Theresa, I'm not that kind of person."
" I know but sometimes you just have to let go and let life lead you where it does. Do you love him?"
"Yes."
"Then let him in. You never get any of the good stuff if you don't go through the bad. Take the ride for all it's worth woman because I have a feeling this one's gonna be well worth the price."
"Thank you."
"That's what I'm here for chica. You're my bestie and I'll always be here for you. If you need me, call me okay?"
"Okay." The knocking on the door reminding her she had an interview that morning." Shit chica! I gotta go. I have to leave for an interview like now."
"Okay. Don't be a stranger. Bye!"
"Bye!"


Nick groaned as the sunlight hit his face and the throbbing in his head a painful reminder of what he'd done the night before. He couldn't remember all of what he'd done, just that he'd hurt Shelly. The pounding on his door kept time with the rhythm of his head as he bellowed,"Keep your pants on! I'll be there in a second!" Pulling on a pair of jeans on his way there. "Don't you answer your phone?" AJ pushed his way into the room.
"Good morning to you too," he sarcastically remarked as he followed his friend back in.
"It's almost Noon Nick. Damn! You are lead. I got you back to your room and you landed on that bed so hard I swore you were gonna break it."
"I'm not that big anymore J."
"I know but you were pretty well bruised up from the alcohol and Shelly."
"She hit me?"
"No but she hit your ego pretty hard. How much do you remember about last night?"
"I just know that I hurt her really bad." He leaned over and reached into the mini bar for a soda."Want one?"He offered one to AJ.
"Yeah. Grab me one while you're there."
Retrieving the two cans, Nick plopped onto the couch and tossed one to Alex and groaned as he held the other one against his head.
"Shit! You did take a beating last night."
"You don't know the half of it dawg."
"Oh I do. You dragged some bimbo up here at four in the morning, making so much noise you woke everybody up."
"Including Shelly."
"Yeah. You got rid of the of the silicone slut and pounded on Shelly's door as you professed your undying love for her."
"Shit! And everybody heard?"
"Yeah."
"So what'd she do?"
"She basically told you to stay the hell away from her and I can't really blame her."
"Like she was so much better draped all over you last night."
"So you do remember some of last night after all."
"Unfortunately."
"I was just playing along dude. I honestly didn't think she'd take it as far as she did but I can certainly see why you want to keep her all to yourself."
"Nice. Very nice." Removing the soda can from his head and popping the top.
"I'm sorry but she is hot but she's not in love with me."
"You're saying she's in love with me?"
"Are you blind? Wait a minute, that's the blonde coming through,"AJ teased.
"I wouldn't be talking Mr. Clean."
"I can see you got your sense of humor back now but you're a moron if you didn't see that one coming. You should be her rebound guy but for some reason, she digs you and it works for you two."
Sliding his fingers through the short strands of his golden locks, he looked to his friend. "So what do I do?"
"Let her cool off a couple of days. Most likely she'll come to you."
"You think?"He furrowed his brows.
" Shit Nick, if she doesn't, there is something seriously wrong in this world."
Chapter 13 by Simple Sue
Shelly: Meet me on my bus after the show? I think it's time we talked.



Nick hesitated in giving her an RSVP for the mere reason he didn't know if she was gonna really talk to him or rip him a new one. It would stand to reason that she would do the latter considering what he'd done to her. Then again, the whole AJ fiasco was still bothering him and it had been nearly a week since they'd said a word to each other. At least tonight she said Hi when she passed him backstage after her set. He hated that he was stupid enough to get drunk and lose control of his impulses. What he hated even more was the fact that he'd hurt her. That was the last thing he ever wanted to do to her but it was getting more and more physically impossible to deal with things the way they were. Not that he couldn't but you can only take so many cold showers and your hand isn't exactly the ideal partner in the bedroom. He knew he was being a complete ass when it came to sex but he was a man after all. He had to answer her sometime. He flipped his phone open and started typing.


Nick: I'll B there.


She shouldn't be nervous. After all, they were both adults. They could get through this. Theresa was right. It wasn't Dave that was holding her back, it was her own heart that was holding her back. When she loved, she gave everything she had and she knew that Nick had 'loved' a few more times than she had. He had more experience with relationships than she even knew what to do with. David was the first serious relationship she'd had in her entire lifetime and she wasn't sure how to handle something like this. David hadn't cheated on her, he just wasn't in love like she was. She didn't know how to handle a...what would you call it? Almost cheat? They had both done it but to what degree on each part? She knew he was as miserable as she was because she had talked to AJ. That's kind of what helped make her decision to talk to him. She nervously paced the hall of the bus. Nervous wasn't the word for her state of mind. She was scared shitless. She looked at the clock on the microwave as she passed it for the fifty ninth time. She'd allowed time for him to change and time for his fans before he would arrive. And here he was. She felt the bus move as he lumbered up the steps. Her heart leapt into her throat. What was she going to do? What was she going to say? Crap! There he was looking all torn up as their eyes met for the first time in a week. She'd said Hi to him earlier but she didn't make eye contact. Her heart was breaking but not for the reasons it had before. He looked genuinely ripped to shreds because of all that had happened between them."Nick, I-"
"I am so sorry Shelly. I was lonely and I know that's no excuse but I don't ever want to hurt you like that ever again." He cut her off. His heart was beating faster than the speed of light as he waited for her response.
"I am too."
Taking the chance that she wouldn't refute his mere touch, he took her hand and cocked his brow curiously."For what?"
"For using AJ against you. I was acting like a little girl."
"It's okay but I think I owe you the bigger apology here. I almost went through with it, you didn't."
She let go of his hand and sat down on the bed. She patted the space next to her and he joined her. Taking his hand again, she started with," We both screwed up Nick. We just need to start with a clean slate here. Can we do that?"
"Yeah."
"I also need to know something else."
"What?"
"You remember what you said to me that night when you left my room?"
"Of course I do."
"Did you really mean that?"
"Why wouldn't I ?"
She looked down at the metal floor; ashamed for even thinking that he didn't care about her. He was here after all, right?
Nick tilted her chin back up and looked her in the eye." I know this has all been a whirlwind Shel but I meant it when I said that I love you. You've hit me like a ton of bricks and I don't know if I'm coming or going most days. I honestly don't know what I'd do without you."
She wanted to believe him. She really did. Remember what Theresa said. Let it go. You know what your heart feels."That is the sweetest thing any man has ever said to me. You know that?"
"I know what it feels like when somebody doesn't love you like you love them. I know how you feel about me and when you're ready, you'll tell me but I'm not gonna worry about it. We've got all the time in the world."
"I know." She attempted to hold her tears back. Nick's thumb brushed beneath her eye; the moisture smeared across her cheek.
"Then let's just take this one step at a time. If they find out, they find out. They don't need us to announce it to the world."
"Sounds good to me."
"So do I need to leave?"
"Do you want to?"
"No."
"You're not expecting anything to happen are you?"
"Are you?"
"No."
"Then stay. I miss waking up next to you."
"I miss you waking up next to me."
"Can I tell you something else?"
"Sure."
Her hand left his and hers both surfaced on his cheeks; her lips softly brushing his."Thank you."
Chapter 14 by Simple Sue
"Whatcha doin' baby?" Nick greeted when she answered her cell that afternoon.
"Well, I picked up Theresa from the airport and now we're shopping."
"I've met her haven't I?"
"Yes. She's the one AJ wants to jump." Grinning at her friend; earning a dirty look from the woman that was sampling the perfumes and lotions at Victoria's Secret with her.
"He told you and didn't tell me? I'm hurt."
"Don't pull the crushed friend on me you butthead."
He chuckled. "Tell her AJ can't wait to get his hands all over her." Which in turn earned Nick a glare from the nearby party.
"I'll make sure I do. So what's going on with you?"
"Interviews."
"Fun."
"So what are you shopping for?"
"I'm a woman. Do I really need a reason?"
She heard the pause.
"Oh! Bad girlfriend! I totally spaced your Birthday. I'm so sorry,"Shelly teased as Theresa held up a very revealing piece of lingerie.
"Ha, ha. So really....
"You'll just have to wait."
"So you didn't forget."
"I couldn't considering it's my Mom's Birthday as well.... Oh Snap! I gotta call her too."
"Just wait til your Birthday comes around."
"I wouldn't be making threats there junior until you know what you're getting for your special day."
"So it's something I want then."
"You could say that."
"So you're not even gonna give me a hint?"
"What fun would that be?"
"I knew there was a reason I liked you."
She laughed as Theresa held up something a little more risque to view." Now who's funny?"
"You love me and you know it."
"Yeah I do but don't tell anybody. They might get the wrong idea." Shelly teased but she knew tonight would be the night she actually said the words.
"Wouldn't want that."
"So you really want a hint?"
"You're toying with me beautiful."
"No. I'll give you a hint if you want one."
"Okay. Lay it on me."
If he only knew that was the plan."Let's just say it's something that won't disappoint."
"That's not a hint."
"That's the best I'm gonna give you gorgeous. I've gotta go. Theresa's picking out something to wear for AJ and needs my full attention. Kisses."
"Back atcha baby."And hung up.
"So Theresa's in town?" AJ inquired eagerly.
"Yeah."
"What's wrong buddy?"
"I thought you would at least wanna hang out with me on my birthday."
"Oh come on Nicky. I have every year for how many years now? It's nothing personal. It's just that there's a woman involved."
"I know."
"Did you stop to think maybe yours has plans for you?"
"You know something I don't?"
"She's in love with you. That's all I know. I swear,"he lied. He was in on the whole charade.

"You know what I had to go through to get this damn thing?" Handing Theresa the key card Shelly needed.
"I know and I will show you some appreciation later on. Meanwhile, a preview,"Theresa said and quickly captured his lips and turned a light shade of pink as she pulled away.
"Shame on you."
"I'll see you later." Theresa smiled and made her way toward Shelly's dressing room. She knocked before entering at Shelly's approval."You about ready to go?"
"Yeah. Give me just a few more minutes and I'll be ready."
There was another knock at the door. Theresa answered it."Oh Shel. The Birthday boy is here."
She knew he'd be coming around before they went on. He always did. Shelly came out of the bathroom in a pair of jeans and a pink turtleneck. She pulled the matching angora sweater over her head as she approached him. She noticed Theresa was holding the card where it was visible and Nick had noticed it too. Theresa quickly slipped it inito her pocket.
"Your room key?" He looked to Theresa.
"Yeah. Just making sure I still had it. I'll leave you two alone for a minute. I'm sure AJ won't mind if I bug him a little bit more."Smiling as she left the room.
"Alone at last,"Shelly said and pulled Nick against her;their mouths instantly fused. Pulling away breathlessly she said,"Happy Birthday loverboy."
"I think we should celebrate my Birthday everyday."Kissing her yet again.
Not wanting to let him go as she felt his desire growing against her body, she had to repress her urge to have him at that very moment."Slow her down hot lips. I've got a present for you."
"You mean that wasn't it?"
"Much as I would love to say yes, no it wasn't but hold on,"she said and retrieved the flat, rectangular box wrapped in irredescent red with a sparkling gold bow on it.
"What is this?"
"Open it." She twisted her lip nervously between her teeth; praying he would remember.
Tearing the paper away, he lifted the lid to find the shiny, silver bracelets laying in a bed of cotton. Handcuffs. The knowing smile growing on his face.
He remembered.
"Will we be using these tonight?"
"Depends."
"You are gonna be the death of me woman."
"I hope not."
"I hope not either. So I'm assuming you'll be hanging out with Theresa tonight."
"Not sure. She could drop me for AJ. Imagine that. Might be a better kisser than me."
"You are trying to kill me but I still love you."
"I love you too."
And there it was. She finally said it. No special setting. Nothing. It was out there and he knew she'd finally let him into her heart. He pulled her into his arms after setting the box down."Can I ask you something?"
"Sure."
"Have you ever done that?"
"Done what?" She teased.
He groaned."I've gotta go. I'll see you later?"
"Call me after the show. You know how us girls get."
"That's what worries me."
"Be nice or you'll never get to use those things."
"Fine," he said reluctantly.
"Don't get all pouty on me. There are about sixteen thousand screaming women out there just wishing they had your sexy ass so go out and give em a lil tease for me would ya?"
"Well I wouldn't wanna disappoint the fans."
"Of course not. Knock 'em dead,"she said and brushed her lips against his.
"And you behave because I can find a use for these no matter what the occasion." Giving her a wink as he picked up his gift and left the room; passing by Theresa.
Once he was gone, she looked at her friend."He knows doesn't he?"
"Doesn't have a clue but he does plan on using those things tonight."
"You've done your job then, now it's time to......well, you know what time it is."
Chapter 15 by Simple Sue
"So I see Theresa ditched you for AJ,"Nick said matter of factly as he talked to Shelly on the way back to the hotel that night.
"Turns out he's a better kisser than I am."
"I don't need to know that."
"I can say that your lips are a lot more lethal than his though."
"Now you're just trying to get on my good side."
"Maybe but I thought I already was there."
"Well you are, even though you aren't spending my Birthday with me."
"Ain't much left of it sporto but you might get a surprise if you open your door."
"What are you talking about?"
" See, I've been in your room for the last couple of hours trying on your clothes, attempting to figure out what it is you guys find so captivating about us dressed in them."
"So what'd you come up with?"
"You're the guy. I still haven't figured it out yet."
"And that's the way it's gonna stay."
"Cute. Aren't you even a little bit curious as to how I got in your room in the first place?"
"The fact that you're half naked is what I'm trying to avoid."
"Why?"
"Because I still have an elevator ride up and walk down the hall to get there."
"Oh."She giggled.
"You're doing this to torture me aren't you?"
"I do a lot of things to you but I don't torture people on their Birthdays. Ask Theresa."
"I would if she and J weren't all over each other right now."
She felt so bad for having to have him go through all that just to get to her but it was part of the plan. They would have been all over each other anyway."I'm sorry."
"I'll call you back when we get off the elevator." This was killing him. She knew it too. How could she do this to him on today of all days?! AJ and Theresa didn't even notice the door had opened on their floor. Nick cleared his throat and they seperated.
"Sorry,"Theresa replied coyly but with a smirk on her lips.
"Sure. Just thought you two might like to get off at this floor so Age doesn't get groped by more than you." And left them to their own devices. He hit the speed dial on his phone to Shelly's.
She greeted him with,"Long time stranger."
"You're really not in my room are you?"
"You'll just have to open your door to find out and stop pouting. It only works when I can see you."
"How do you do that?"
"What?"
"Know what I'm doing."
"It's a girl thing."
"So Miss 'it's a girl thing', am I anywhere near my room?"
"You're about to slip the card in the slot right now,"she toyed.
Damn! he hated that. Slipping the card in, he opened the door and saw the soft glow illuminating his room. No way she was really in there. His jaw dropped simultaneously with his bag and phone. Could she really be willing to give him the one thing he'd wanted after all this time? The candlelight, the rose petals, champagne, strawberries and her in his clothes. She was going for the full romantic thing. Not that he needed it but she might have to get them past her paranoia. He knew she was scared to let go and he was giving her the space she needed. Was she really ready or did she do this just to get it overwith? He shouldn't be overanalyzing it, just go with it.
"You really didn't think I'd be here did you? "Closing her phone and setting it on the end table.
"I was kinda hoping you would be but all this?"
"For you,"Shelly said. Taking her champagne glass from the table, she raised it to her lips.
"You did all this for me?"
She bit her lip nervously."Yeah."
Slipping his shoes off, he climbed onto the bed next to her. "Why?"
"You don't think you deserve me as your Birthday present?"
"I just don't think I deserve you sometimes. After all I've done."
"I haven't exactly been an angel Nick but tonight is about a new beginning." She straddled him. Reaching over to the bowl of berries on the table,she plucked a plump, ripe strawberry from the bowl and offered it to him. Biting all but the stem, he held the delectable fruit in his mouth as her lips melted onto his; sharing the sensual object until they were consuming each other.
His hands framing her face, his beautiful blue gaze met hers. She took his breath away. He was still in awe that any woman would do all this just to be with him. Then again, the majority he'd been with weren't women. They were just girls living in women's bodies. Some very warm and inviting ones but they didn't gain the same reaction Shelly was getting from him at that very moment. She had him heart and soul and he had no clue as to why. Didn't want to know why. Just wanted to be lost in her for as long as she'd let him be there." You're amazing."
There went those butterflies again. It wasn't so much that he was there, it was the way he said it. The way he looked at her. For the first time in her life, it felt real. Like he meant what he was saying instead a bunch of pretty lies to get a roll in the hay. He could have had hundreds of women in his bed by now but he'd held out for her.
"You sure about this?"
"Nick, I've never wanted to be with anyone more in my life than I want to be with you. You gave me time so now I'm giving you a gift you'll never forget. Unwrap your present Carter,"she purred. He seemed a little nervous and she knew why. It wasn't because he was afraid of what he was doing, it was the fact that she might leave him hanging yet again. "I am all yours tonight baby. ALL.......YOURS." Realizing the implications as soon as the words left her mouth but it was too late then. The reality of having a man she'd only fantasized about was scaring the shit out of her now because he was there and he was looking at her like a fat kid looked at a piece of chocolate. He wanted her. Well she knew he wanted her but she didn't think she was all that delicious. It was only when he spoke did she realize that she had this man. She never would have under different circumstances and maybe she should just stop overanalyzing it and just let nature take it's course for once. The first time she was with David was a complete disaster. So far this was ten times better.
"All mine?" He grinned like the cat that was just about to devour the canary he'd plucked from it's cage.
She looked down and was looking straight into his crotch. A very bulging one at that. She was still in denial about her body being the reason he was so worked up but the evidence was right there. She could actually feel it.
"Shel." He tilted her chin so she was looking him in the eye."I could be a real selfish prick here but I'm not that kind of guy anymore. They all think I am but you know me. I have to know you want this too. Not just because it's what you think I want. Oh God I'm starting to sound like one of those romance novels you read."
His nervous chuckle accompanied by that impish grin of his just made him all the sexier. He was a thirty year old man but somewhere deep down, he'd been given the gift of a sixteen year old boy. It was charming.....and did she mention it was hella sexy?! She went for the buttons on his shirt in response to his anxiousness; languidly exploring the lean muscle displayed with just her touch.
"Like that stuff do ya?" He teased; his mind set as ease with her silent approach. He reciprocated her actions; his lips brushing hers as he pushed the shirt off her shoulders. His very appreciative eyes trailing languidly over every curve that was visible to his eye;her full breasts nearly popping out of the bra she was wearing. Hot pink with black lace. He never knew what to expect from her and now he was glad he didn't."You didn't do all this just for me did you?"
Slipping out of his shirt and softly capturing his lips."I did all this for us."
Apparently that was all the incentive he needed to take control. Not like he needed anymore than her just being there. He pulled away from the stack of pillows and rid himself of his shirt before seizing the moment yet again. His mouth was on hers; her body pressed against his. Their tangled bodies soon finding her beneath him. It amazed him that she didn't realize how gorgeous she was. It didn't matter what the rest of the world thought, he was going to show her how truly beautiful she was before the night was over.
She knew she was half naked before her back even hit the bed. His lips caressed every possible inch before his mouth landed directly over a nipple. It didn't take very much to get her motor running with those babies. Just a nibble here, a tweak there and she was toast. The evidence rest at the juncture of her thighs. Where he would soon be destroying every last ounce of digninty she had but not before he freed himself. Funny how you remember at a moment like this the nickname he'd been given over the years by his fans for that piece of work was now standing at attention in her presence . He knew the smile on her face and found his way between her legs; his tongue gently tickling the inside of each thigh before his final approach. Nibbling, sucking and licking her was only the beginning of his maddening but delicious torture. His tongue delved into her depths; playing there for what seemed forever. Then his hands cupped her ass as he fucked her exquisitely with his tongue. She screamed so loud she swore the neighboring rooms were going to give them hell for it the next day as he made her come over and over again. This was more of a present for her than it was for him she was beginning to believe but the love in his eyes was all she needed to see as his gaze became level with her once again.
" I love you so much Shel." He leaned in and whispered; her delicate hands slipping around his neck; playing with his hair at the nape. He didn't think he could love any woman more. Age was just a number that separated them but here they didn't matter. He didn't know much longer he could hold off being deep inside of her; repeating the pleasure he'd already given her this far. He reached over onto the night table where he'd seen her leave an assortment of 'gift wrappings' and selected one.
"Want me to put it on?" She offered as he started opening the package.
Now that he really didn't expect from her. Knowing her sexual history and all. Maybe he should let her. He reminded himself it wasn't all about him(despite the fact that he was the Birthday boy). She leaned up and softly planted a kiss on his lips before ordering him to lie back. She took her time in 'dressing' his better half. She eased onto his length and swore she let out another earth shattering moan. It wasn't so much his size, it was just the sensation. He felt damn good! Her hands glided over his chest as her body acclimated to his." I love you too Nicky." And kissed him before she rose to claim her prize. Her hips rotating out a slow and steady rhythm before she started a steady ride on his cock. It was his Birthday. He'd done all the work so far. About time he got some pleasure out of it as well. Adn from the contortions on his face to the feel of his fingers digging into her hips, she imagined she was giving just about the best gift she possibly could. She was abou to lose it and she started to slow but she could feel Nick very much raring to take over as he thrust from beneath her; his cock furiously pounding to the very heart of her. Shit! she was gonna lose it if he didn't first. Good thing they met somewhere in the middle on that one. Her body barely caved into the pleasure before he followed her into that undeniable bliss. She collapsed against his chest and she felt his hands run over her back.
"You okay babygirl?"He inquired between his shallow breaths.
"Good.....you?"
"Tired.....but in heaven."
The remainder of the night involved food, sex, food, cuddling, more sex and finally sleep. Their eyes barely closed as the sun peeked through the cracked curtain.
Chapter 16 by Simple Sue
The buses humming along the road, Shelly came out of the tiny compartment of the bathroom towel drying her hair. She looked at her friend with that silly grin she'd had for the last three days. She and Nick had pretty much been inseperable up to that point. They had that High School Musical cutsie wootsie thing going every time they looked at each other. AJ and Theresa had more or less made the decision to separate them for the day." I wanna know what that boy did to make you scream like a banshee girlie?" Theresa looked at her friend whom was still grinning goofily.
"Huh?"
"Oh no. Don't pull that shit on me chica. Answer me."
"I don't know." The grin faded the minute she saw herself on the television screen."Shit!"
Theresa's eyes moved back to the muted screen and saw the cause of their disrupted conversation. Theresa grabbed her ringing phone.
"You guys got the TV on?"AJ inquired.
"Yeah."
"She did tell you about that night didn't she Theresa?"
"Yeah I know all about that. We're cool. I'm not sure about her though."
"I'm not so sure about him."
"Would you stop talking about me like I'm not in the room?!"Shelly bellowed. "Let me talk to him." Yanking the small phone out of her friend's hand.
"Shel?"AJ inquired timidly.
"What the fuck am I supposed to do Age?! I knew it would eventually get out but not to ten million viewers worldwide on TMZ. Then you belting the photographer for what you thought was an innuendo about doing me. We kissed. I guess if the media makes me your latest conquest, that's their consciences they have to deal with."
"Dont' get pissed off at me for something you did!"
"I danced with you! I kissed you! I didn't screw you!"
"Which you did to provoke your boyfriend!"
"Whom they still don't know about so don't become a fucking prick like them! Fuck! talk to your damn boyfriend!" She threw the phone back at her friend and retreated to the back of the bus where the beds were. She curled up in one, wishing to God she could take back what she'd done. Take back what she'd just said to AJ. He was right. He was involved but he wasn't the mastermind behind it and he tried defending her honor. Shit! She was surprised the shit hadn't hit the fan with Brent yet. There he was warning her off Nick and she's all over the so called bad boy of the group. Like that's some great feat! She was mad at herself more than anything because she'd used a nice guy to get to the one man she thought she couldn't have in the first place. And it wasn't like she was using Nick. She had genuine feelings for the man. More real than she'd ever had in her life and here she had to go and screw it up with some friggin tabloid scandal. That wasn't gonna be the worst of it she reminded herself. Once they got hold of the Nick thing she wouldn't be called a cougar, she'd be called a washed up groupie that got her fifteen minutes of fame riding on the Backstreet train. And that would be the G-rated version of things. God only knows what the fans could come up with! She knew. She used to be one of them. It scared the hell out of her to know that she would be the next girlfriend torn to shreds over? Exactly. Now that she was in that position, it wasn't so easy to be seen for the person you are. You're just the bitch that stole their future husband. The fans had been so good to her in every city and it wasn't always because of the Boys, she was as nice to them as they were to her. She always stopped to answer the silly girl questions about what it was like to be around them all the time and such. If they only knew. Wait. They did know now and of course it would be her fault if AJ ever got into any trouble over it. The curtain peeled back and Theresa handed her the phone.
"It's Brent," she mouthed and walked away.
Great!" Hey Brent."
"What the hell are you doing Shelly?! I tell you to stay away from one so you run right into the other one's arms."
"We wouldn't even be having this conversation if I were a man. You'd congratulate me for gettin the hot young piece of ass and we'd go and have a beer."
"That's not true and you know it."
"Bullshit Brent! Even though I'm not underage, as a woman, I still have to worry about whether or not the media will call me a slut if I have too much fun. It's a fucking double standard and it's wrong! Besides, he was just trying to defend my honor. I shouldn't have to remain celibate until prince charming rolls around because he may never come along in this day and age."
"What's happened to you Shel?"
"I just got the cold smack of reality that my life isn't my own anymore Brent but I'm not gonna stop living it just because I have to set some standard for teenage girls around the world. That's not my job."
"Yes it is Shel."
"Then they should realize at my age, I can do what I want without everybody telling me I should be a good girl til I get married. I'm forty one for God's sake. Do you really think anyone believes I've never been with a man?"
"Well no but the way you were all over him, it looked like you'd already been in his bed."
"People are going to think what they want. I can't help that."
"I think maybe we should pull out of this contract Shelly."
"Why? So the media have real reason to say that I am a slut? Because you and I both know that's exactly what they'll say about me. I'll finish this tour like I'm supposed to then we can go from there."
"Is that what you really want? You know their fans are going to be as cold as ice to you now."
"That's a chance I have to take."
Chapter 17 by Simple Sue
Fuck! This wasn't right! She wasn't supposed to have any scandal til at least the whole Nick thing blew up. Oh yeah she was but still. Flipping her friend's phone shut, she slipped out of the compartment and stomped to the front of the bus where her friend lay casually watching the remainder of the program. Shelly jerked the refrigerator door open and pulled out a Smirnoff Mango cooler. She plopped down on the makeshift bed; downing half the bottle before a word was spoken between the two of them."I hate men."
"Even Nick?"Theresa questioned.
"He's male isn't he?" Taking another swig of her drink before being relieved of it." Hey!" She protested the loss of her instant security blanket.
"You don't mean that."
"The hell I don't."
"I hate it when alcohol takes over you girl."
"I'm not drunk yet."
"Yeah but you're not thinking rationally and it won't help you any either. First off, you need to apologize to AJ because he's being nothing but nice to you and very supportive of you and Nick. Secondly, Nick is genuinely worried about you chica. He doesn't like to see you hurt."
"He just doesn't want to lose his piece of ass." Retrieving the alcholic beverage from her friend.
"Don't you dare make him a bad guy. Any guy that would wait that long for sex is worth holding onto because you know that's not all he's interested in. You're just pissed off because you played a game and got caught. Get over it!"
"You're not the one being called a slut on national TV!" As she got up off the bed.
"No I'm not but I also know that there are two guys on that other bus that care very much about your welfare. Brent pretends because he has to. Nick nor AJ don't have to. They can play nice til the end of the work day but they are the ones that have been there for you from the very beginning and for Nick to put up with your ass this long, the guy should get sainthood because you're more of a brat than he'll ever be."
"Why are you being so mean to me?"
"Because you're acting like a little girl right now Shel. You're my bestie but you know deep down it's all true."
Shelly sighed frustratedly." How do you put with me?"
"Damned if I know but if you figure it out let me know k?"
"Will do but in the meantime, I owe a lot of people apologies here. Starting with you."
"You know I love you girlie. You just gotta learn to deal with this. It's part of your life now."
"Thank you. Now hit AJ up. I have to do some major groveling."
"I don't think that's such a good idea."
"Why?"
"Shel, the guy defended your honor there on national TV and you rip him a new one. Give him a little breathing room. Trust me. I know him a lot better than you do."
"Just because you canoodle with him?"
"You learn a lot about a person from snuggling. The whole thing with you and Nick didn't just happen overnight."
"Fine. I think I'll take a short snooze lady." She added sarcastically,"If that's okay."
"I think you need a good swift kick is what I think. Do what you want."
She wasn't dealing with this very well. In fact, she just wasn't dealing with it and wished the world would just go away. And it would in a few hours. She'd be wrapped up in Nick's arms and all would be right again.


"Don't," AJ ordered as he noticed Nick picking up his cellular.
"She needs me."
"She needs someone to yell at and you'll be the easiest target."
"I'm worried about her."
"Don't! She's a big girl. She'll get over it."
"I know you're pissed Age but -
"But what?! I defend your girl's honor in front of God and everybody and she rips me a goddam new one! You think I should be happy about that?!"
"Well...no but she'll apologize."
"Don't stick up for her. She's a grown woman and she was all over me just to piss you off that night so don't be trying to tell me she's a fuckin angel Nicky!"
"She's not but she's not as heartless as you think she is."
"She lumped me into the category of prick with the media buddy boy! Defend her one more time and I'll rip you a new one Nicky Gene!" AJ stormed to the back of the bus.
Dammit! That just didn't sound like Shel but he knew if he so much as picked up his phone to check on her, AJ'd have his ass on a golden platter. Sure she took it out on him. He heard the conversation on his side but something just didn't fit here. His best friend was pissed off at his girlfriend for something they both played a part in. AJ had no right to make her out to be the complete culprit. Granted, he was in the middle of this war but for the time being, he was gonna remain Switzerland( or whatever the hell neutral country that was they used) as long as he could.
Chapter 18 by Simple Sue
Dammit! Why hadn't Nick called?! Probably because he was as pissed off as AJ was. Either that or AJ threatened him with bodily harm and knew he could do it too. Shit! She really needed him right now and she'd most likely alienated all the people she could depend on right now. Her 'bestie' was somewhere around here but she wasn't sure if she was just there to monitor everything she said or if she was there to support her. She'd been such a bitch to her as well, she wouldn't be surprised if she was with AJ as soon as this was all over. Her fist tightened around her cell phone as the make up artist cotinued applying her foundation. They'd barely arrived at their hotel before she had to hit the ground running. She wasn't so sure she wanted to be a pop star anymore. Oh! what a fabulous life. Your manager constantly on your ass about every word you speak, people thinking the worst of you.Yeah, that was fucking great! She sarcastically thought to herself.
"So is he as freaky as they say he is?" The 'flaming' cosmetician drew her out of her thoughts.
"Excuse me?!"
"Oh don't pretend with me honey. You're hot and if I were a straight man, I'd be all over that luscious ass of yours."
"Is that so?"
"Angel, you are prime real estate and any man fool enough not to buy doesn't deserve it."
"Then I guess he didn't."
"Hold up girlfriend! You mean you and freak boy?" He raised his brow knowingly.
"I guess I'm not as hot as you think."
"That's where you're wrong. So he really was saving your good name. I should be so lucky to hook up with a man like that."
"Did I miss something girlie?" Theresa suspiciously eyed the makeup artist as she took a sip of her coffee.
"Your girl here was just telling me that the freak boy doesn't spread lies about his conquests."
"Oh really?"
"I just told him the truth. We danced, we kissed. End of story. Reason why AJ destroyed a papparazzi's living,"Shelly glared at her friend whom was sending her a scolding eye.
"I believe you honey but you know there are a bunch of little girls out in that audience and I do mean little girls that think you slept with their main squeeze."
"Let 'em. They're gonna blame me for him getting sued for the camera equipment anyway."
"Why defend an old bag like you anyway?" The young female voice entered the room.
She turned her head and found the voice of her accuser. Figures. Sweet young thing dressed in next to nothing hoping perhaps that AJ himself would be there so she could get a little piece of the action she thought Shelly had already got."And you would be?"
"Tyra's intern but that doesn't mean I have to like you."
"No it doesn't but you do have to treat me like a guest on her show so until I'm not, you'll show me a little respect or you may have a very short career. Am I clear?"
"Yeah ya old bitty,"she mumbled.
"What was that?"
"Nothing. I was sent to let you know that we're on air in ten minutes. Is there anything I can get for you and your friend Miss Taylor?"
"No and Thank you."
"No problem." The young girl painted a smile on her face before closing the door behind them.
"Okay what'd you do with my friend?"Theresa commented.
"That's what I'm up against huh?"Shelly scrunched her forehead.
Theresa and the young man nodded in unison and then he added,"You're gonna be fine honey. Nobody's ever let her have it like that."
Gre-e-e-a-at!


"Welcome back to the show. Today we're talking with rising stars and how they came to fame with reality tv. Right now we're talking to Shelly Taylor, winner of last year's America's Most Talented. So we've talked about what it is you did before you became the pop star you are, how you lucked into just about every girl's dream in this audience of touring with the Backstreet Boys, now I think we know the burning question on everybody's mind since that TMZ piece just last night. Did you or didn't you?" Tyra leaned her elbow on her crossed leg and waited in anticipation with the rest of the audience.
Shelly took a deep breath. She knew this was coming but she hadn't anticipated that they'd look like a pack of hungry wolves. Maybe that's just what it felt like."Well Tyra, it's not quite as sordid as everybody wants to believe. We danced, we kissed. End of story. I'm sure we've all gone out with a guy friend and that's where the evening ended up."
"True but when you're life's on display like ours, people tend to see more than there is thus the camera man incident."
"Unfortunately and I could do nothing to stop him until it was too late."
"Couldn't or didn't?"
"You've all seen the video. Judge for yourself." Tyra had been kind up to that point but it was apparent she was just as hungry for all the horny details as the rest of them. Shelly's blood was starting to boil even more. She'd seen Tyra's show. She knew the girl asked hard hitting questions but when you're the one under the heatlamp, it's a whole other kettle of fish to fry. She was all alone there on the stage for this one. Theresa unable to hold her hand and Nick unable to put his arms around her and make it all go away. She'd done it to herself but the fact remained that she was still as human as the rest of the world and she made mistakes. She finally noticed the perplexed expression Tyra was wearing when she responded to Shelly.
"Well you heard it here first. We'll come back after the break and take some questions from the audience." Once they were clear, she turned to her guest." I'm sorry I had to do that to you. You know what's gonna happen once I get out there amongst them don't you?"
"Yeah. I'll try to be on my best behavior." As they shared a laugh.
"You're a cool chick Shelly. I gotta find my first question out there. Good luck."And left her guest on the couch.
"Okay, we're back and ready to take some questions from the audience."Tyra smiled brightly as she approached the first audience member." So you have a question for Shelly I understand." Holding the microphone there.
"Yeah. I wanna know why AJ defended you when he's been through a whole slew of women over the years that he didn't feel the need to do so?"
"I think that's something you'd need to ask him. He's a good guy and I believe he'd defend any woman he felt worthy of the action,"Shelly responded.
The girl shrunk back into her seat as though Shelly was supposed to attack her for that one. The next one was even worse.
"So what would you like to ask Shelly?" Tyra held the microphone for her to respond.
"Yeah but you're old. We all know your 'honor' is long gone. I don't get why he felt the need to help you out."
Shelly hesitated for a minute. She could get real nasty here but she simply responded," Just because my 'honor' is long gone doesn't mean I jump into bed with every man I meet. Love and respect have to be involved before I get 'involved' and age is just a number. I have friends of all ages because I like to have a diverse variety of them."
"Yeah but you slept with him."
Shelly remained cool and calm." I danced with him. I kissed him. End of story. I can't say anymore than that because the majority of you will believe what you want."
"On that note, I think we're gonna take another break." On the return, Tyra smiled for the camera and said," We've run out of time but I'd like to thank all of our guests today and we'll see you tomorrow!" The ads started playing.
Shelly calmly left the stage and slammed the door to her dressing room. Theresa knocked."Go away!"Shelly bellowed.
"Shel, it's Theresa. Come on."
Shelly jerked the door open and returned to the swivel chair she'd pushed herself into a dizzying circle in already.
"You did great out there girlie."
"Did I?"
"Yeah. You stood up for AJ. I didn't think you were going to."
"Why wouldn't I? He's been nothing but nice to me since the get go. He was the one that talked them into bringing me on their tour. Did you know that?"
"You never told me that."
"I thought that little fact just might add more fuel to their fire."
"Yes it would. So should we head back to the hotel chica?"
"Good idea."

AJ turned to Nick when he heard Shelly's remark that afternoon.
"I think she handled that rather well don't you?" Nick raised his brow.
"Just cuz she did that doesn't mean a thing Carter."
"So she basically apologizes to you on national TV and you're still pissed off at her?"
"What do you want from me? To tell you that you were right? I can't. I've been nothing but good to her and she took me apart for saving her good name."
"And there on national TV, she told the world that you would have done the same for any woman you deemed it necessary. I don't give a fuck if you don't ever wanna talk to her again but she is my girlfriend and like it or not, I am going to console her because she does need some consoling."
"No, you just need some consoling is all."
"Fuck you Mclean. She tried to do the right thing and you can't get past that. When you do, you know where I'll be."He started for the door.
"Hold on Nick! You're right. I'm just being a petty fucker now. I was just as much to blame for that kiss as she was if truth be told."
"What?" He turned around to face AJ with a puzzled look on his face.
"I never told you this but I did it just to push your buttons. I wanted you to admit you liked her more than you let on because I was the only one not in denial about the whole thing."
"I should be pissed but you did get me to admit to it that night."
"So we're cool?"
"We're cool and you're gonna talk to Shelly?"
"Soon as you're done 'consoling' her." He teased.
Chapter 19 by Simple Sue
"You were really good there Shel,"Brent said as he escorted Theresa and herself toward her room on their floor.
"I was?"Shelly stopped in her tracks. Brent was the last person she expected to compliment her on that.
"You handled that audience like a charm. You spoke your mind without going out of bounds."
"Well, thank you. I just did what I thought was right despite the fact I wanted to rip their little heads off."
"And you will again along the way but that just the start of what you'd have to go through with dating one of them."
"What exactly are you trying to say Brent?"Theresa interrupted as she stood by her friend's side.
"I don't care who you sleep with Shel, just try to be a little more discreet about it next time okay?"
"I don't believe this guy!" Theresa balled up her hand into a fist.
Shelly noticed the tightening in her friend's hand and grabbed the other one; silently begging her to control her temper."I know you think you're trying to protect me here Brent but as I think we've gone over, we wouldn't be having this discussion if I were one of your male clients. You'd be congratulating me for the hot piece I got over a beer. Just because we're women doesn't mean we don't desire sex any less than men. We just get judged for it is all."
" I know it's not right but that's the way women are perceived."
" You're a goddam male chauvenist pig like the rest of them!"
"No. I just know rock stars."
"You don't know these rock stars. They've gone through their ' I'm gonna bang every chick I see' days long ago. You wanna believe it because that's the way you live."
"Just be careful Shel. I wouldn't want you to get a Paris Hilton type of repuation."
"Oh that is it!" Theresa's fist went flying into Brent's cheek as the door to AJ's room opened.
"What the hell?!" AJ looked at Theresa; smirking but in obvious pain after the blow she just dealt.
"What's going on?"Nick looked at the two standing there with Brent clutching his cheek.
"I want her gone now Shelly." Brent rubbed his cheek but his ego was bruised more than anything.
"Why? So you can keep calling me a slut without any consequences?" Shelly looked at him.
Nick's eyes widened. He so wanted to beat the living hell out of the man at that very moment but even he knew better."Is this true?"
"I didn't call her a slut. I just told her to be more discreet about who she shares a bed with."
AJ was now examing Theresa's hand and looked over at Brent himself." I think Shelly may be in need of a new road manager. I danced with her and kissed her that night but I left her at her door. Alone! We're friends. We had a good time one night and everybody's turning it into a fucking relationship. I'm dating her friend for God's sake!"
Brent looked at AJ then he looked to Shelly. Nick had just slipped his arm around her waist." I know I'm not seeing that."
"I didn't think it was any of your business whom I was sharing a bed with Brent."
"I guess it doesn't matter to you either,"Brent commented and Theresa was just about to go at him again.
Nick grabbed Brent by the collar and pushed him up against a wall."I don't know who the hell you think you are talking to her like she's one of your little groupies but she is your client and you are here to make her happy, not to meddle in her personal life but if I didn't know better I'd think you wanted to make her another notch on your bedpost."
"So how long have ya been bangin her Nicky boy?"
Shelly saw the flare in Nick's eyes and grabbed his shoulder."Nick. Please. He's not worth the effort."
Nick loosened his grip on Brent and Brent straightened himself up."You ain't even seen hell Shelly." Walking away from the group.
Shelly followed him and blocked the elevator when they reached it. He may have not been worth the effort but she'd be damned if she was going to let him get away with that last remark. "I've put up with a lot of your shit because I'm the new kid on the block here but I'll be damned if I'll let a little prick like you threaten me!"
"That wasn't a threat,"Brent replied calmly.
"Bullshit! I know what the fuck I'm in for and if you think threatening me with all the hell I'm gonna go through is gonna get me into your bed, you're sadly mistaken Mr.Richards."
"I wouldn't want you now anyway. Sloppy seconds just aren't my style."
"Funny how that works considering you're just the road manager."
"I'm the one that gets them backstage."
"So now I see how this works. Nothing in it for you then you really don't have to put in any effort for fans to meet me cuz I can assure there have been some very attractive offers for me along the way that if I were any other type of woman, I would have taken them in a heartbeat."
"Why didn't you?"
"Let's see, the guy standing down there waiting to rip your heart out through your throat and secondly, I had a serious boyfriend when I started this whole little game. So, in the future, Mr. Richards, if there is a fan or fans that would like to meet me, you will make sure that they are accomodated. Am I clear?"
"You can't threaten me Shelly."
"Oh I think I can because I think they'd be interested in hearing how you sexually harrassed your client."
"I never touched you."
"You didn't have to. Just the unequal opportunity mentality you have is enough ammunition."
"Shel?" Nick approached the two."I think you need to cool off a little bit."
"I think she does too,"Brent added.
"Don't push it asshole. I backed off because she asked me to. If I had my way....let's just say it wouldn't be pretty."
"You two are made for each other."
"I'll take that as a compliment. Now if you think you can handle yourself in a professional manner, I don't think I'll be needing to make that call."
"Not at this time."
"Good. Now I'm going to check on my friend." Shelly took Nick's hand and they made their way toward AJ's room where the door was still open."Theresa." Shelly called out.
"I'm in the bathroom."
They reached the bathroom and Theresa's hand was running under some cool water."Where's AJ?"
"He went to get me some ice."
"I am so sorry about all this Theresa."
"Why? The little shit called you a slut. I don't have manners like you do when it comes to stuff like that."
"Nice right hook there girl,"Nick complimented her." I've been wanting to do that to him for quite some time now."
"Why didn't you?"
"Because it would have made me just as low as him. That's not me."
"And I am?"
"He deserved it but murder is just wrong and I kinda like my freedom,"Nick teased.
Theresa laughed but winced when her hand came out from under the cool stream.
"Here we go."AJ pushed through the couple with a bucket of ice and opened a small, white hand towel; adding the ice and applying it to her hand. "So what'd you do to get him to back off this time Shel?"
"I threatened him with sexual harrassment."
"Man, you are rubbing off on her,"AJ teased Theresa.
"So we're speaking again?" Shelly looked at AJ.
"Kinda sounds like we're talking."
"Yeah we're talking but I want you to know how sorry I am for attacking you the way I did. I shouldn't have. It's not who I am."
"I know. You've got good friends Shel."
"So do you." She smiled. "But if you don't mind, you two have been keeping me from my boyfriend and I really have missed him."
"I so did not need to hear that. Just go."
Once Nick's door was closed behind them, he looked her in the eye."You gonna be okay?"
"I'm gonna be fine Nick. Just shut up and kiss me." Pulling his mouth closer to hers.
"Shel."
"Nick. I've missed you. I just wanna forget about the world for the next 24 hours because we can." Slipping her fingers into his hair."Please?"
He knew they should be talking about their plan of attack when the news did hit but as long as they'd been separated and when she gave him THE eyes, he couldn't resist. He grabbed her ass and pulled her tight against himself. He kissed her hungrily and backed her against the nearest wall.
"God! I missed you!" She tugged at his T-shirt.
"You don't know how much I missed you babygirl."Pulling his shirt off and tearing her blouse open. He bent and nipped through the lace of her bra before pushing it righ over her breasts. She fumbled with the button on his jeans before managing to get the zipper down. Pushing the material down, she could feel him shoving her skirt up enough to access what he needed. He pushed aside her dampened panties and plunged deep inside her. One leg wrapped around him as the primal instinct kicked in and he pulled the other up around himself. His thrusts more volatile than he'd ever been with her but the need had never been so much before.
"OH! GOD! NICK!......Ohhhhhhh!" Her body surrendered to her sudden need.
He grunted in response to her as he found himself giving into the warmth of her. She clung to him.
"Thank you,"she whispered in his ear as they rest against the wall; tangled up in one another.
Thank you! The world could wait a little longer.
Chapter 20 by Simple Sue
She knew it was daylight but she still turned over and curled against the warm body laying next to her. His arms almost instantly wrapped around her. She wasn't sure what time it was and she really didn't want to bother with it. They'd made one rule after their first encounter; the world doesn't exist for the next 24 hours. Simple enough it would seem and so far it seemed to be working. They had breakfast for dinner and lunch for breakfast. Wait a minute, they actually had breakfast for breakfast. He was playing with her mussed hair like a child would if they were worried about something. Something was on his mind. She leaned up on his chest. Firm! Wow. She'd never really noticed that before."Something on your mind gorgeous?"
"Just you." And smiled that sweet, little lopsided smile she adored.
"I know we said the world was off limits for the entire day but I'm thinking you got something going on upstairs there that just won't go away. Wanna talk about it?"
"It's nothing that can't wait. I was actually just thinking we should get out of bed sometime today."
"Why? It's been working great for us so far and we have got out of bed a few times."
"When?"
"How do you think we got the food in here?" She grinned.
"That's once and we ate on the bed."
"Okay. We took a shower."
"Which brought us right back to the bed."
"I can't help myself when a man smells of aftershave. You are absolutely scrumptious."Lips softly brushing against his chest."You still smell hot."
"So any man that smelled of sex and aftershave you'd jump?"
"Only if they looked like you,"she teased and straddled him." Trouble is, you're one of a kind Carter and I don't plan on lettin you go anytime soon." Leaning in and kissing him.
Absolutely amazing. He should have been her rebound relationship and here she was commiting to more than just a short term fling. Neither one of them took relationships lightly and he was the last to think of marriage but this woman had him seeing the white picket fences minus the perks. He knew most likely children would never be an option with them at her age and he was fine with that. She had two nephews and three nieces they could spoil rotten. He already had the home. Just needed to make it THEIRS. You know, the his and hers bath towels. A guy thinking about this stuff right? He obviously wasn't thinking about it at that very moment as her lips explored every inch of him. Rising to the occasion before she even got there.
She stopped mid chest and looked down then back up into his eyes."I can stop you know." It was incredible. SHE...did this to him. Granted, they were still in that honeymoon phase of their relationship but still. Whoda thunk? Her turning Nick Carter on? It was still hard to believe. She knew she couldn't give him the things a younger woman could as far as marriage was concerned but she didn't believe he was even thinking about that. She knew he loved her but right about now the only commitment they had was to pleasure. Sure they enjoyed each other's company. Some would say they were too perfect for one another but she was being realistic and letting it go where it went until it was no longer. She didn't want to let herself believe that there was more to this than just a tour long fling.
"Oh sure. Get me all worked up then leave me to my own devices."
"Now that I'd pay to see."
"How much?" He grinned.
"A song."
"A song?"
"Yeah. I'll write a song just for you." Pressing her lips against his chest.
"You write?"
"Of course I do. I'm not just a pretty voice with a pretty face. I do have some talent."
"I know." Wiggling his eyebrows.
"I'm done."
"You mean I don't get to show you what you want?"
She moved her hand down and started stroking him." I don't know that you need to worry about it when you got my mouth right here to give you that pleasure."
His cock grew just with her words. Then the phone rang. Fuck! She wasn't stopping either. He lifted the receiver off the hook and his voice squeaked,"Hello?"
"Tell me you two still aren't in bed."
"Okay I won't....Oh shit! Shel!"
Her eyes still locked with his,"What?" And grinned innocently.
"Okay. What's going on Age?" As she moved off to his side; fingers still tracing over his chest. Ah. New love. You can never seem to get enough of each other in the beginning. He had no doubts that they would ever lack in that department.
"Have lovergirl turn on channel 4. I think you guys need to see the next story."
He covered the mouthpiece and told her to turn on the tv.
"You still there?"
"Yeah I'm still here. So what's the big deal?"
"Just watch the show."
"Okay,"he agreed as he adjusted the pillows so he could rest up against the headboard. Shelly curled up against him and gave her attention the television screen. Right there on the screen they were. Kissing and laughing goodbye as he left her bus early one morning. Are these fucking robots or something cuz it sure as hell didn't seem like paparazzi ever slept anymore. Six o clock in the fucking morning! They knew the day was coming but like this?! Please!
Shelly pulled away and looked at him.
"Thanks for the warning bro'."
"How's Shelly?"
"Don't know."
"Tell him to put Theresa on,"Shelly said
"Put Theresa on."
"How'd she know... Never mind. Theresa,"he called for her and handed the phone over.
Nick handed the phone to Shelly."Theresa?"
"Hey chica. How you holding up?"
"I wish I could say better but I'd be lying."
"I know but you knew this was bound to happen sooner or later."
"I was just kinda hoping he and I were gonna be the ones to tell the world."
"Well I'm pretty sure you and I know who did this. I'd like to kick his scrawny little ass into next week."
"Theresa. I really do appreciate that but I don't need any lawsuits against my bestie. I can take care of him myself."
"I know you can. I just want to do it for fun,"She teased.
Shelly giggled slightly." I think I'm gonna go take a shower now though. I'll talk to you later okay?"
"Gotcha girlie.Call me if you need me."
"I will. Goodbye."And stretched over Nick to hang up the phone.
His eyes met hers. He knew it as well. He knew whom was behind it, he just couldn't do anything about it because he knew she needed to do it on her own.
"So this is what I signed up for?"She half heartedly joked.
"Sucks to be us right now doesn't it?"
"I know you're trying Nick and I really do appreciate it but I think I need a few minutes alone okay?"
"Whatever you need babe."
"I'm gonna go take a shower then maybe you can help me understand this whole media thing."
"Anything for you princess."
"Thank you."She softly kissed him before making the trip to the bathroom. She slipped under the steaming jets of water and let her tears finally mix with the water running over her face. She knew the day would come but she thought she'd be better prepared for it. Nick may have been younger but he treated her better than most of the older men she had dated. He asked for nothing in return but her love and that she was giving him as equally as he gave it to her. The way you're supposed to be in a relationship. She was scared shitless about the whole thing. Nick's been through the media blitzes with girlfriends. This was her first venture with a relationship and she wasn't sure she could handle it. It was fine when it was a secret but now.....
"You okay in there baby?"Nick's concerned voice came through the door. "Shel?" He knocked again. No answer. He opened the door and found her sitting on the floor of the shower; shivering. He turned the water off and grabbed a towel; quickly wrappping her up in it. Her arms immediately went around his neck when she realized she was being lifted up.
He held onto her and sat down on the bed with her; attempting to keep her warm.
"Nick?" She looked up at him; still quivering. Her voice so timid.
"Thank God you're okay. You scared me. What happened in there?"
"I don't know. I thought I could handle this but...Just hold me please!" Bursting into tears. She must have been catatonic in there for as worried as he was.
Wrapping his arms around her, his hands ran comfortingly up and down her back. He was as afraid of this as she was but he had to be the strong one right now."We're gonna make it Shel." They just had to.
Chapter 21 by Simple Sue
"Shel? Shel? You in there?" Theresa nudged her unresponsive friend.
"Huh?" Shelly turned her head to Theresa.
"Get it together girlie. You've been practically comatose since the news broke yesterday."
"And you've already seen the effects of it last night. They boo'ed me off the stage."
"Well you didn't expect them to welcome you with open arms after receiving the news that the youngest member of the Backstreet Boys is dating again. Top that off with you being older than him and that's where their hatred comes from. We've been on the fan side of this remember Shel? There was a time when you really hated Leigh Anne because Brian was your man."
"Still doesn't make it any easier."
"Well you can put on your big girl panties and take whatever they throw your way tonight or you can cower in here like a wimp and let them win by letting them believe they got the best of you. I know you girlie. You're stronger than the masses out there. You've already overcome the toughest obstacle."
"And what's that?"
"Brent."
Shelly rolled her eyes. Yes, he was an asshole but she didn't think he was the biggest barrier in her life at that moment. The little groupies were going to be out in full force because Nick shouldn't be with anybody but them, much less an 'old bag' like her. She'd seen the twitter's and the comments left on Live Daily. She knew in her mind it was trash talk. She did it herself but to her friends. Not etched into the memory of cyberspace for eternity. "Um...okay."
And at that very minute, he walked into the dressing room without so much as a polite knock with an 'are you decent in there?' shoutout. The guy was short on tact. No doubt about it and Theresa was short on it herself sometimes but she knew when to draw the line. This wasn't one of those times."Do you know how to knock?"
"I figure she's willing to show it off to the world why does it matter?"
"You have got to be the dumbest sonofabitch I've ever met."
"What are you still doing here with her anyway?"
"I am in the room!" Shelly turned to the battling duo.
"It lives."
"First of all asshole, YOU don't dictate my personal life and secondly, she's AJ's girlfriend so she has every right to be wherever the hell she wants around here. Now, is there something I can do for you?"
"Yeah, I'm yanking you off the tour."
"And I told you that I'm fulfilling my contract."
"Not if I have anything to say about it."
"Haven't we discussed this?"
"Yes and I'm still doing it."
No more Miss Nice Guy! "Then let's just throw a little sexual misconduct toward your superior's ears and see how SHE takes it."
"How'd you know?"
"You forget whom my boyfriend is. No, wait. You haven't. That's it right there. You still can't handle the fact that I turned you down flat."
"You've lost your fucking mind Shelly."
"No. I haven't. You've got it in for me so figure you'd break the news before he and I could. Am I wrong?" The look in his eye gave her the answer she knew was true.
"Why do they get to have all the fun?"
"Do you think it's fun having your name dragged through the mud? Having people assume you're gay the better part of your career? Do you think that's fun for the Boys? Hmmmmm? Cuz I can guarantee you wouldn't last a day in any one of their pairs of shoes buddy."
"He's gonna break your heart Shelly."
"Well don't be waiting by your phone because it sure as hell ain't gonna be your shoulder I'm looking to cry on. Now get out you little skeeze before I find Amy's number here. I do believe I have it on speed dial now." Lifting the phone up in a threat to call his boss.
"Whatever. " He left the room; slamming the door closed behind himself.
"Oh high five girlie!" Theresa complimented. "Do you really have her number?"
"I'll never tell." Shelly grinned deviantly. She was gonna go out there and show the world that she wasn't afraid of a few rabid Backstreet Boys fans. It was only day number two and they had a long way to go.
"That's my girl but listen lady, I'm gonna go see how the soundcheck's going . See how the little tramps.... I mean fans are reacting."
Shelly laughed and hugged her friend."Thank you ."
"For what?"
"Your support."
"Chica, you know that's what I'm there for. That's what a GOOD friend does. Catch ya later." Leaving Shelly to prep for the show.



"He's SO not gonna be able to resist having the two of us,"the anorexic looking girl stated proudly to her friend."Come on,"she urged as she took her hand. They approached Nick."Hey Nicky. You been behavin?" She purred.
"Do I know you?" He responded.
She slapped his chest playfully."You're funny. Cindy,"she whispered in his ear.
He searched his memory for a Cindy. Cindy! but no! Shelly!"Much as I love this Cindy, I can't."
"You could have me AND my friend Tiffany."
Tiffany, the brunette leaned on his shoulder and smiled.
"Ladies. I don't know who let you get this close but I am taken."
"You mean that old prune?" Cindy scrunched her nose up."What do you want with her. Surely she can't go as long as we could,"Cindy purred.
Detaching the pair from his body, he looked at them both."I'm really flattered and if you don't leave of your own free will, I will have you removed."
"She changed you baby."
"I'm not your sweetheart little girl. Let it go."
Cindy wasn't used to being turned down and she wasn't giving up." Little girl. You obviously forgotten what I can do for you. What we COULD do for you." She raised her brow.
"Oh My God! Nick! How could you?! You promised me I was all yours tonight,"Theresa cut in between the girls and dragged her finger down his chest.
Not really knowing what to do and knew AJ would kill him if he wasn't in on it, he played along anyway."What would we tell AJ?"
"AJ doesn't have to know."
He slid his arms down around Theresa's waist."Sorry ladies. I'm booked for the night."
"Really?" The plastic chested California spray on tanned blonde looked at him; hands on hips.
"Give it up Cind. He's not interested,"Tiffany said.
"She must be one great piece of ass to give up all this."
"Come on Cindy. I think they do some weird shit that we don't want to get into."
"Like?"
"Girlfriend swapping."
"Speaking of which, aren't you Shelly's best friend?"Cindy said.
"Yeah I am. It's all worked out actually. One night a week we trade off. Nick's a great fuck. But then, you already knew that or you wouldn't be trying to climb all over his stick now would you?"Theresa raised her brow knowingly.
"That's some sick shit,"Tiffany stated disgustedly and grabbed her friend's hand."We're getting the hell away from here before we catch what they have." The blonde reluctantly followed her friend .
As soon as they were out of the arena, Theresa let go of Nick.
"Thanks for saving my butt." Nick let out a sigh of relief.
"It was nothing Nicky. Just don't be expecting it every stop because I can assure you they're gonna try every trick in the book to lure you away from Shel. You break her heart and well,"Theresa said; her eyes darted downward then back up.
"I get the picture and you don't have to worry about that. People can say what they want but what matters is how we feel about each other."
"I knew there was a reason I liked you."
"And now I know why AJ digs you."
"You have been hanging around Shel too long."
"What?!"
"Dig? You're only three years older than me Nick. We didn't grow up using those words but I'm glad she did rub off on you."
"Me too. Speaking of which, she in her dressing room?"
"Yeah but please don't make me have to rub up on you ever again?"
"Why? You didn't like?"
"Not a bit but I'm a damn good actress now aren't I?"
"Yes you are. Thanks again Theresa. She's lucky to have you."
"I know"
Nick knocked on her door and she opened it without question. That was odd. She never did that before."You okay baby?"
Shelly sat down at the make up mirror and stared into it."I don't wanna be a popstar no more."She pouted.
He kneeled down on the floor next to her chair and took her hand."Shel, look at me."
She turned her head and looked into his eyes. He was amazing. He hadn't given up on her(even though the rest of the world had). "I hate this."
" I know babe but hang in there okay? In a couple of weeks they'll forget all about the age difference and you'll just be known as the evil bitch that stole my heart."
Shelly snickered."Cute."
"Well you do love that about me don't you? My charming sense of humor is what lured you in." He grinned that sweet, lopsided grin of his.
"You're incorrigible sometimes."
"But you still love me right?"
Like she had to think about it but she loved teasing him about . He was the best thing that ever happened to her. No way she was giving that up. Just as he was about to 'convince' her, she said,"Always."
Chapter 22 by Simple Sue
Nick was fighting the girls off left and right. The ones that thought he was too young for the old bitch and Shelly was fighting the animosity she was getting from the crowds. They knew it wasn't going to be easy but in the end, they knew they had each other at the end of the day. To fend off the scorned fans, Shelly always left just as the boys went on stage. Better she get out of there before it turned into a mass riot. Nick needed his fans and she didn't want to get in the way. But this night was different. She watched as Nick talked to his ex. She should have been jealous right? You would think so but that wasn't the case. She knew where Nick's heart was and she knew that Lauren would always have a place there. She wasn't going to be one of those jealous girlfrineds that couldn't let go.
"They look good together don't they?" Howie commented as he approached Shelly that evening before her set.
Shelly turned to him." They look like old friends catching up."
He shrugged. "If you think so."
"Look Dorough. I know you don't like me dating Nick and you're entitled to your opinion but if you think bringing her here tonight is gonna split us up, you're dead wrong."
"I just think you're playing with fire."
"Then let us be the ones to burn. I know you care about him. So do I. I think it's great that he still gets along with her but don't think for a minute you've won because I'm not going anywhere."
"Shel!" Nick's voice carried across the room.
She looked over and he motioned her to join them."Anything else?" She looked at Howie.
"No." She may have won this time.
Shelly left Howie and joined Nick. He slid his arm around her waist and introduced her."Lauren I'd like you to meet Shelly, my girlfriend. Shelly, this is Lauren."
What should have been an awkward moment between the old and the new wasn't."Nice to meet you,"Shelly offered up first.
"Same here. No wonder Nick wants to keep you all to himself," Lauren returned.
A compliment. Wow! Shelly blushed.
"Shel's good at that," Nick teased; noticing her obvious embarrassment.
"Nick!"Shelly protested as she lightly smacked his chest.
"You know that's one of the many things I love about you."
"I know but...I gotta go. I'm on before these guys so I need to get ready."
"Can't wait to see it," Lauren said.
"Love you babe." Reaching up and pecking him on the lips before leaving them alone.
"Please tell me it's not just about sex Nick." Lauren managed to turn his attention back to her as he was watching Shelly walk away.
"You think that I'm that shallow Lauren?"
"She's an older woman."
"With a lot less experience than a lot of women her age."
"You're kidding right?"
"I wish I was. She knows what she wants but she's afraid to go after it a lot of times."
"Then how'd she get this far?"
"I don't know. I just know that I love her and the way she looks at the world."
"Because she sees it at your level maybe?"
"Meaning?"
"Meaning she doesn't want to let go of her childhood."
"Now I remember why we split up."
"Nick, I'm just trying to be a friend."
"No, you're trying to talk for Howie." Noticing the very fixed paired of eyes on them."You'll excuse me."
His determined stride left no doubt in Howie's mind he was pissed." I know you think I'm trying to interfere Nick but-
"Really? I think you are. I know you don't like Shelly and I don't know why but I'll be damned if you think this little scheme of yours worked,"he interrupted as he approached.
"She's playing you with this innocent act is what I'm worried about Nick."
"Because you think so?!"
"She's played you from the day she met you Nick."
"Just because your marriage is falling apart doesn't give you the right to take the rest of us down with you."
His jaw dropped.
"Yeah. We all know. So give up on this fuckin little vendetta of yours and try putting your relationship back together and fucking forget about mine."
Looking back over the direction she had been, he returned to Lauren."I want you out of here before the show is over."
"I don't have to go anywhere. I'm a guest,"Lauren said.
"No wonder his marriage is falling apart."
"What are you talking about?"
"I know about you and Howie."
"Oh. Then I think you need to watch the current flame too Nick."
"Why?"
" Does he hate her?"
"Yeah.....Oh."
Chapter 23 by Simple Sue
Two days and it would all be coming to an end. No more snuggling up against his warm body in the morning. No more good luck kisses before going on stage. No more Nick in her nights. People thought she didn't want to grow up. They were right and helped her keep that youthful part of herself. She wished she didn't have to leave him. They were standing in the doorway of her dressing room and she was leaning against the frame.
"I wish you didn't have to go Shel." His hand curved against her cheek.
She rested one hand on his and linked her fingers through his free hand." I'm gonna miss you too baby but I do have commitments I have to take care of."
" I know but I'm gonna miss waking up next to you in the morning." He hated that she had to go. He didn't want to be that guy that worried about his girlfriend latching onto another guy just because she could because he saw the men that came onto Shelly every chance they had. Well, ever since they found out they were dating. Seems that nobody wants you until you have somebody.
"You're too good for me." And smiled.
"No. You're too good for me," he said and leaned into kiss her.
So soft and subtle before he even dreamed of turning the fire up but once he did, it sizzled. That was the one thing she was gonna miss the most. His kisses. Well, that too but come on, the best part of getting there is starting with the foreplay. He let go of her hand and pulled her up tight against himself. Their tongues playing an intimate game as did their hands. It was nice that they didn't have to hide it anymore but his hand slipped down around her butt and she stopped him."I like the fact that we can kiss in public now but-
He interrupted her with another kiss, wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her back into the room. He closed the door as he set her down.
"Nick!" She protested but he backed her against the door.
"What?" He grinned and cocked his brow.
She couldn't resist him when he did that."Is the door locked?"
Reaching behind her, he checked and turned the lock."Now it is."
Lacing her fingers in his belt loops, she pulled him against herself.
"Is that a yes I detect?"
"I know it is for you,"she said with a smirk as his mouth descended on hers. Maybe it was wrong to get busy before she went on but somehow it seemed she put on a better show when they did. "Perhaps the couch would be more comfy,"she suggested.
"You read my mind." He pulled her legs up around him and moved over to the couch. He sat with her on his lap.
"Now this I'm going to miss,"Shelly smiled and unzipped his sweatjacket. Her eyes moved over his chest as did her hands.
"I like the way you touch me Shel."
"Shut up."She smiled and captured his mouth. Just as she was about to loosen his belt, Resa's voice came from the other side of the door.
"Get your clothes on you two and unlock the damn door!"
She rest her forehead against his and started giggling." She sounds mad."
"She always sounds mad."
"True."
"Fun's over,"he pouted as he zipped his sweatshirt back up.
"You can travel with me tonight." Shelly grinned and fluttered her lashes.
"Mmmmm. Can't wait."And kissed her.
She got up and unlocked the door to let her friend in.
"Later,"He said and kissed her one more time before he left them alone.
"I swear. That guy is so in love with you it's not even funny,"Resa commented.
"And I did everything I possibly could to deter him too."
"I do recall you telling me. About a million times."
"Fine. I'll keep my love life a secret from you then."
"Don't do that cuz I couldn't share my secrets with you then..or compare notes."
Shelly's eyes widened."You didn't?"
Theresa nodded with a silly grin on her face.
"Oh my God! You so did! Tell me!"
"Well you know how he kisses."
"Yeah I do. They'll take your breath away in a heartbeat."
"Well rush right in on that one."
"Sorry. He does know how to kiss."
"On all levels."
"That was a need to know basis lady. I didn't need to know."
"You're no fun." Sticking her tongue out at her friend.
"I am too. Just ask Nick." Grinning cheesily.
"Funny. I'm going back to my man since it's almost time for you to go on lady."
"Alright then. I'm so happy for you lady."Giving her friend a quick hug before she left the room.

Shelly was heading toward her dressing room when she heard the voice behind her.
"Shel! Hold on a minute!" Howie yelled down the temporarily empty corridor.
She knew she was going to regret it but she turned anyway."What do you want?"
He approached her and started," I know we've kinda gotten off on the wrong foot but I just wanted to apologize for yesterday. I know we don't exactly see eye to eye."
"That's an understatement."
"Why won't you let me apologize?"
"Because I don't think you really mean it."
"Fair enough but I think you should understand that I'm just trying to watch out for the kid."
"Nick is not a child anymore and if all of you'd get your heads out of your asses, you'd see that he can actually make more of a decision than what he can do to make the little girl in the fourth row feel like she's the only one in the arena."
"You really think we treat him like that?"
"Yeah. I do."
"I guess we..well, I never looked at it like that. All of us just kind of looked out for him because he was a kid when we started out."
"Yeah and now he's a grown man. Old enough to make his own choices."
"And you think this is a good thing for you guys?"
" I know a good man when I meet one. He could have taken advantage of me from the very beginning but he didn't. I never planned on falling in love with him. I just did."
"I just want him to be happy."
"He is."
"Are you?" He brushed away the hair falling in her face; his fingertips grazing her skin as he'd pushed it behind her ear.
"Of course I am." Not feeling so sure she should be feeling what she was after such a simple gesture. Especially from a guy she couldn't stand now. At one time, she would have killed for his attention but that was just mere infatuation. Maybe it was that fact and the look in his eyes that told her she needed to get the fuck out of Dodge before she did something really stupid. He was married after all. Remember. You hate him.
"You sure?" His hand resting lightly on her shoulder; slowly running it up and down her arm.
"What are you doing?"
"What do you think I'm doing?"
"Unfuckingbelievable! Don't you ever come near me again!"
"Oh come on Shel, don't you want a real man?"
"Ugh! I have a real man." That just saw everything. Fuck!
Chapter 24 by Simple Sue
That little bastard planned it! He fucking planned it!
"You don't have a real man Shel,"Howie argued. "He would have come to yoru rescue if he were."
"No. A real man knows when to back off but you wouldn't know that,"she shot back before she went in search of Nick to try and repair the damage that had been done. After locating him in the Boys' dressing room along with the others, she politely requested," Can we have a minute alone?"
"We don't need a minute." Nick glared at her.
"Yes. We do. Please?"
Theresa and LeighAnne complied with her request and shuffled everybody out of the room as quickly as possible.
"Why'd you do that?!" Nick bellowed.
"Because we do need to talk Nick."
"The hell we do!"He said and started heading for the door
"I don't know what you think you saw out there but I can assure that it's not what you think."
"I don't know what you're talking about." His hand on the doorknob.
"The hell you don't!"
"And?"
He turned back to look at her with more hatred than she'd ever seen in anbody's eyes. He was really hurt. She just had to teach him that one."What?! You think I'm sleeping with Howie?"
"You wouldn't be the first to do it."
No wonder she hated men. They were all effin jackasses! "Nice to know what you really think of me."
"We were just having a little fling anyway Shel. Not like it matters." Even though he knew it was killing him to say the words. How could she do this to him?!
"Fling this!" Her hand landing on his cheek so hard she could have sworn she broke it and shoved him out of the way as he was hovering in pain.
She leaned against the wall outside the door in tears. She knew he wouldn't be coming after her anytime soon.
The others looked at her but Theresa looked at Shelly and approached."I'll kill him. What'd he do?"
"It wasn't him that started it. Howie was hitting on me and he saw it,"Shelly bawled.
"I'm gonna kill him!"
"Please don't Theresa. You know I love that you would do anything for me but this is something we have to deal with."
"Not on my watch lady. First Howard gets it then Nick gets it for being a spoiled rotten little brat." Theresa was about to leave her friend when the object of her hatred appeared.
"What's going on?" Howie inquired innocently; the smirk slowly creeping onto his face.
"You know damn well what's going on!" Theresa barked.
"What's wrong Shel?" He looked at her.
"That's what I'm trying to find out. I know you hit on her. Why are you so hell bent on breaking them up?"Theresa said.
" Because it's my goal in life to make Nick miserable."And grinned.
"Well you succeeded there yet again asshole."
"Um babe, ease up. I'll take care of this," AJ interrupted her."You take care of Shelly and I'll deal with Howard."Glaring at his friend whom was all too pleased with himself. Brian had gone into the dressing room to check on Nick. After the girls had left, he looked at Howie."What is your deal man?! I know you think they don't belong together but that's not yours to decide bro."
"Like I care,"Howie said.
" Howie, we all know you slept with Lauren but did you really think Shelly was stupid enough to fall for it? She may be naive about a lot of things but when it comes to Nick, there's no denying the way she feels."
"He deserves better Age."
"She is the better for him you little shit. I don't care how fucking old she is, they work. Leave them alone or you'll have me to deal with and you've known me long enough to know you don't want to deal with me."

Brian looked at Nick whom was rubbing his bruised ego more than anything he was sure after hearing what had happened."You okay?"
"I'd be lying if I said yes. I can't believe I said what I said to her."
"What did you say to her?"
"Told her that we were just having a fling. That it didn't matter to me. I love her Brian. I royally screwed up."
"I'd say so."
"She said fling this and landed a good one on my cheek. That's when I knew I was wrong for believing what I did about Howie. I let Lauren have me believe she would do the same thing she did with Howie."
"Nick. I don't understand your relationship with Shelly but I do know that she brings out the best in you. I can't argue that. There is something to be said for older women." He chuckled; being as his wife was a few years older than himself.
Nick attempted to smile but it stung." Why does Howie always start shit before the show?"
"Who knows but we need to sit down and have one of our group chats afterward."
"Bri?"
"Yeah?"
"You saw her when she left the room right?"
"Yeah."
He raised his brow inquisitively.
"She was crying Nick and Theresa's ready to kill you."
"Damn him! Damn me!"
"Nick, don't beat yourself up buddy. We all go through the fighting. I love Leigh Anne to death but sometimes I just want to wring her neck too. We don't agree on everything and neither will you two but you've got a big obstacle with this age thing and the fans and blah, blah, blah. You know what you're up against and you've made it this far. Just apologize. She'll forgive you. She loves you too much to just let go."
Chapter 25 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:
this one's a lil short but the next will be longer. Enjoy!


Maybe it was for the best Shelly thought. Romance was just a distraction considering her budding career.
He was right. It was just a fling. Never once made it feel like she were just a passing phase though. Then again, he had years of celebrity to have a good pokerface. Theresa traveled with her that night; her bus pulling out long before they even came offstage. She knew her friend was giving up time she could be spending with AJ. Shelly also knew she wasn't very god company that evening either. She heard bits and pieces of the conversation Theresa was involved in as she progressed to the back of the bus; hearing the seperator curtain snap shut.
"How's it going?"AJ said.
"If you're referring to Shelly, she's going through hell. I don't like what Nick did but I don't exactly blame him for his reaction either."
"So you're not mad at him anymore?"
"No I'm still pissed off at Howie though. He's an asshole."
"We had a little discussion and I can assure you that he won't bother her again."
"Meaning?"
"Meaning we've been friends as long as you two have and I'd kick his ass if ever did anything so goddam stupid in his life again. I reminded him of that adorable little boy and the one they have on the way. That brought him right back to reality."
"I'm really worried about Shel though. She was upset when David split with her but Nick just killed her."
"I've seen Nick mope Theresa but he's kicking himself in the ass for what he did to her. He's crazy about her. He's trying to apologize but she won't answer her phone."
"Do you blame her?"
"No. I'll tell him to lay off til we get to the hotel. Give her a little breathing room."
"I don't know if she'll even talk to him then."


He hated what he'd done and wished to God she would pick up her phone but he couldn't really blame her. He did finally give up over the course of the night but when he tried to make contact the next morning, she wouldn't even answer her room phone. There was no way she could avoid him at the arena though and he wouldn't be denied her attention then. He would get down on his hands and knees if had to. He knew she would be heading for make up soon so that's when he made his play. When she saw him she turned her eyes down to avoid his but he wasn't backing off." Come on, Shel. I just want five minutes." Finding that she wasn't going to stop, he dashed ahead and got on his knees,"Shelly. Look at me! I'm on my knees!"
She stopped short and looked at him. She wanted to forgive him but she couldn't forget what he'd said."What?! You told me it was over. Why should I listen to what you have to say? You broke my heart!"
"I know. I was upset. I can't help the way I feel about you Shel. I've never done anything like this in my life before."Reaching out and taking her hand." I am so in love with you Shelly. I don't want another man even thinking about you the way I do."
"And you think I want women looking at you the way I do?! That's not fair Nick! I gave you my heart and you just ripped it out in a matter of seconds last night. How am I supposed to feel?!"
"Please Shel. I don't want to lose you because of something so stupid."
"It wasn't stupid Nick. You knew what you were saying."
"Would I be on my knees begging you to give me another chance if I had any idea what was coming out of my mouth last night?"
"I don't know. Would you?"
"No! Please Shel?" He looked up into her eyes; pleading with his life.
He'd probably never had to beg a woman to stay with him in his life. He just gave 'em that cute little pout and the big, sad eyes. And she knew she was just as susceptible as another woman to his charms but it was fun watching him beg. Just a little more wouldn't kill him but just as she was about to give him some more grief , an unfamiliar voice came from out of nowhere.
"I see you're in the same position I left you in Nicky boy,"the female voice quipped.
Chapter 26 by Simple Sue
But apparently it wasn't foreign to Nick. He looked toward her; horrified.
"Did I interrupt something Nickolas?" She smirked.
"Am I missing something here?"Shelly interrupted.
"Shelly right?" She extended her hand towards her.
"Yeah. And you are?"
"Skylar Watson. Your new road manager."
"I am so sorry. I just thought I wouldn't be meeting you until tomorrow. Shelly Taylor." Letting go of Nick's hand and shaking Skylar's." Forgive me but how do you know Nick?"
"You mean you don't know? Nick and I used to be an item."
"Okay."
"You and Nick?" She raised her brow.
"Um, we're working on that right now. Could you give us about five and I'll meet you in make-up?"
"Sure." She smiled brightly and walked away from the couple.
Nick got up off the floor and looked at Shelly.
"Any other surprises Nicky?" Shelly glared at him.
"Oh come on Shel. I had no clue she'd be taking Brent's place."
"But you knew there was a possibility didn't you?"
Nick looked away and she pulled his gaze back to hers."Yes! Are you happy now?"
"No! She's an ex girlfriend. One that looks like she wants to get back into your pants."
"No she doesn't. She broke up with me."
"Yeah cuz all women want to leave you behind."Shelly rolled her eyes incredulously.
"Ask her."
"Don't think I won't!"
" I know you will. So about us?"
"Nick I don't know."
"You were thinking about it until she showed up weren't you?"
Shelly sighed. She couldn't lie to him. And he had never lied to her."Yes but you know what this means don't you?"
"Shel, our relationship has been rocky from the beginning, why stop now?" And grinned that adorable lopsided grin of his.
No denying that. It was a wonder they'd lasted this long. She returned his smile and said,"What am I gonna do with you?"
"Well I can think of a few things." Wiggling his brows as he pulled her closer.
"Don't push your luck Carter."
"Just testin ya. We do this at your speed remember?"
"I do. Just making sure you did."
"I guess I'd better let you go huh?"
"Yeah but not before I do this." Softly kissing him.
"I will never hurt you like that again. I promise." And kissed her before he let her go.


Skylar quickly stepped back into the room."Everything okay?"
"It is now,"Shelly said as she took a seat at the long table holding the cosmetics.
"If you don't mind my asking, how long have you two been seeing each other?"
"You mean they didn't fill you in?" Shelly teased. She had to do something to ease the tension.
"Oh no, they told me you were dating, just not how long."
"About three months."
"That's a record for him."
"I thought he dated Lauren for two years."
"Well you know how this on the road stuff goes. He met her when they weren't touring. It's different."
Okay, this was going to be fun she could already tell so she played dumb and asked,"What do you mean different?"
"Well when you're on the road, you're usually just looking for somebody to keep you warm at night."
Here we go. She could already tell they'd just replaced Brent with a female version of himself."Skylar, as much as I'm loving this conversation, we're done."
"What do you mean?"
"I'm not sure what your game is but I can assure that I'm far too old and wise to be playing high school games when it comes to a man."
"I'm sure I don't know what you mean. I'm here only to make sure you get on stage and to your interviews on time. I dumped him. Why would I want the asshole back?" But she did because he had one very nice asset every woman wanted.
She knew the girl was lying through her teeth but she pretended she'd accustomed herself to the fact that every woman wanted what was inside her boyfriend's jeans. "I'm sorry. I guess I get defensive when it comes to him."
"I can understand. There was a time when I would have killed any woman that looked at him cross eyed."
Continuing the charade, Shelly said,"I'm glad we got that out of the way. I think we're gonna get along just fine."
"Can't wait." Skylar smiled though she was gritting her teeth. Bitch! This wasn't going to be as easy as she thought.


Nick watched as Shelly gave the performance of her life. The fans were finally starting to come around and accept her as his girlfriend. Well at least the non obsessive fans did. There were always gonna be the psychos. It was unavoidable. However, Skylar was not. If he were going to see Shelly when she was touring, she would unfortunately be there. They had a short but passionate fling. Something he could have lived without.
"She's very talented Nick. Is she that good in the bedroom?"Skylar commented.
He turned and looked at her. She wants to play games? I'll give her a game she won't soon forget."As a matter of fact, she's the best I've ever had."
"I thought I was the best Nicky."
"You were a mistake I made Sky."
"You didn't think so at the time."
"I was still too young to know what I was doing with a woman."
"So you went right for the experience this time. Good job."
"I'm in love with her and it's not because of what she can do behind closed doors. We understand each other. She doesn't have this mentality of always having to be an adult. You expected me to be mature at twenty three. That was your big mistake."
"Maybe we were too young then but I've changed a lot too y'know."
"That's nice Sky but that means I've changed too. I may not be the guy you want anymore either."
Don't be so sure of that she thought."Maybe but you'll outgrow her."
"Well you're entitled to your opinion but if you'll excuse me I'm trying to enjoy the show."
Well the asshole part hadn't changed but that wasn't going to stop her from getting what she wanted. Not by a longshot.
Chapter 27 by Simple Sue
"Just let me talk to them Shel. I'm sure they'd do it in a heartbeat,"Nick argued two days later as they were entering the management firm.
"You think I like this anymore than you do?! If I ask for anything more, they're gonna start labeling me a diva. That's not what I want to be known as. I love what I'm doing and I want to continuing doing it without being considered a bitch by everyone in the industry."
" Please Shelly. I just want things to go smoothly for you. I care about what happens to you."
"I know you do Nick but the only time you're gonnna have to see her is if you come to visit me on the road. I think it's best if we just hang in there and let it run it's course. I've only got a couple months left on the road before I have a break. I 'm looking forward to it. To ravaging you on a daily basis."Slipping her arms around his neck."If I weren't being a lady, I'd take ya here in the elevator."
"What's stopping ya?" And grinned.
"The fact that we're here." The doors slowly gliding open.
"Fine."
Taking his hand and leading him off, she stopped him in front of the bank of elevators and whispered in his ear,"I make no promises afterward."
He groaned. " You are gonna be the death of me Shel."
"Yeah but at least you'll die a happy man." Then kissed him like she never would have the chance again. "Now let's get going before I make a bad impression on your ex,"she teased. It wasn't going to be easy but like they say, keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Nick's grip on her hand was as tight as it had ever been. She wasn't looking forward to this anymore than he was but she was glad he was here for the support. Shelly pushed the conference room door open but was unprepared for the sight in front of them.
"Please tell me I'm having a nightmare,"Nick mumbled to Shelly.
"I wished to God you were."What to do? What to do? She was confused more than stunned.
"I want to rip that guy a new asshole Shel."
"I don't understand Nick."
"HE's the reason she and I split up."
"Justin is the reason you two split up?"
"We can hear you down here you know,"Skylar said; straightening her ruffled blouse.
"Would somebody mind filling me in here?" Shelly said.
"She slept with Justin. That's why we split up."
"No. The reason we split up is because my little sister lost her virginity to Nicky."
"That is bullshit Sky! I slept with your sister because he couldn't keep his hands off you!" Nick shot back.
"She cried her eyes out over you Nick. Don't tell me you weren't the first."
"I was the first that meant anything to get between her legs. Mr. Wonderful there had the honor of being the first man to have her."
Justin attempted to conceal the smirk but he couldn't help himself. He loved getting the best of Nick."Jealous because they both liked me better Carter?" Egging him on.
Nick was about to fly across the room at him when Shelly interveened." I don't give a fuck who was better to the both of them right you little shit but I want your ass and my boyfriend's out of here so I can take care of business with Skylar. Got it?!" Shelly glared at Justin.
"She's so lovely Skylar. I don't know why you think I should tour with her."
"Oh hell no! There is no way she's going on tour with you, ya little prick!" Nick bellowed.
"Nick,"Shelly said and backed him out of the conference room. "He's trying to get the best of you and you're letting him do it. He's a conceited little prick I'll give you that but play nice for me please? Just long enough for me to get things done in there okay?"
Nick huffed.
"I'll make it worth your while." Shelly purred as she slid a finger down the middle of his chest." That I guarantee."
He bit his lip then reluctantly agreed."The things I do for you."
"You wouldn't if you didn't love me so much. Now behave,"she said and quickly pecked him on the cheek.
Shelly walked back in the room. They were at it again. Made her and Nick look like a PG-13 movie in comparison.
"Sorry. You know how it goes." Justin grinned and left the room.
"Sorry about that Shel. He just stopped by and you know how it goes,"Skylar said; playing it off as the can't keep your hands off each other phase.
"He said that. Look, are we here to discuss our love lives or are we here to discuss business?" Shelly responded irritably.
"He always did like em feisty."
"Look Skylar, you had your chance with him and I only get 'feisty' when I'm pushed too far so if you wanna keep this position I suggest you do your job and keep the personal stuff, personal so shall we?"
"You're the boss."


The glaring match continued between the men out in the waiting area before Justin started in. Flipping through the People magazine, he pondered,"You know what I've been trying to figure out Carter?"
"How you got my sloppy seconds?" He returned; rather proud of himself.
"No but that was good. I've been wondering how you managed to get a babe like Shelly into your bed."
"I grew up Timberfake."
"Snappier comebacks too. I'm impressed."
"And I should care?"
"Nah. Just seems that older women are drawn to me."
"I guess Cameron wised up to your charming demeanor."
"No. I got tired of her actually."
"I can see why women fall all over themselves to get at you," Nick said sarcastically.
"And they're just dying to get at you?"
"Because I don't treat women like objects."
"I'll keep that in mind while I'm banging your girl on my tour."
Oh! That was the wrong button to push then he heard Shelly's voice.
"Did you boys play nice while I was gone?" Shelly smiled.
Nick gritted his teeth but stood and took her in his arms; her hands pressed against his chest."Just like you asked sexy." And kissed her so hard it made her breathless."Shall we?" His arm firmly around her waist; putting on a display like a peacock spreading it's feathers. There was no way in hell that bastard was getting near Shelly. No way at all!
Chapter 28 by Simple Sue
They'd been off the road a week now and only because she was looking for a place in LA was she staying with Nick. Theresa took care of things at home in Arizona for her before she showed up in LA to see her boyfriend. It was official. She and AJ were inseperable. It was kind of cute actually. AJ fawned all over her. These kinds of things only happened to other girls right? Apparently not. Shelly had dreamed of having a man treat her like a princess for as long as she could remember. Nick was turning out to be that guy more and more everyday. Marriage had never been a subject they discussed but it was there. Not that they didn't want to discuss it. She just assumed that it was an unspoken understanding between them that it was too soon. She could still dream though. Every girl dreamed about their wedding. Every girl but her. She thought she was too old to have such foolish fantasies of being given away by her Father as her Mother cried tears of joy that her only daughter was finally settling down and having a family. They would never get that family part when she and Nick eventually made the decision to make it permanent. She also thought Nick would never give in to the institution knowing his family history. He was afraid that it would happen to him. That much they had talked about. Besides, they hadn't even been together five months but who's to say how quickly your heart gives into that emotion? Nobody. We all have the right to dream. And dreaming she was. She surfed through site after site of gorgeous wedding gowns, bridesmaids and even flower girl dresses. She'd found her dream gown but she was so wrapped up in the computer that she didn't even hear Nick come in the house until she heard his voice from behind her." Whatcha up to babygirl?"
"Nothing." She snapped her pink laptop closed.
"You sure about that?" He grinned as she turned and looked up at him.
"Positive." And kissed him.
"You're distracting me again angel."
"I hope so,"Shelly teased; pulling him back onto the bed with her.
"Nice try." He moved off her and opened it. He had to contain himself because he knew he was about to take the hugest leap he'd ever taken in his life that night." I think you'd look absolutely stunning in that gown sexy."
He could still make her blush.She could feel her cheeks warming up but she was embarrassed more than anything. She couldn't exactly run away from him but she could lock herself in the bathroom. Now that would just be plain childish Shel she scolded herself." You know what that does to me babygirl but why are you blushing? I think maybe we should start talking about it."
Was she hearing things or did she just hear Nick say something about marriage."I thought it was too soon Nick."
"I've never hid my feelings for you Shel and I know they're not going away anytime soon so is it so hard to believe that I would want to talk about spending the rest of our lives together."
"I guess not it's just that you went from guy time to making wedding plans. That's what threw me."
"I have great role models in my life now angel. Why wouldn't I want to spend forever with you despite the fact that you nearly ended my family making career."He chuckled.
She smiled."So you think I'd look good in that?"
"I think you look great in anything babe."
"You know how to make my day Carter but I do have to get ready for my appearance on Leno tonight."
"My baby on Leno. Wow!"
"I know. It's still weird to me."
"It won't be after long. Just be yourself. They already love the music. It's just their chance to get to love you as much as I do." Closing the electronic object.
She leaned over him on the bed and kissed him."You truly are my prince charming."
He blushed. How could she still do this to him he'd never understand.
"You know if I weren't such a wanted woman, I stay here and ravage you."
"We'll have plenty of time for that later babe." Praying to God there'd be cause for celebration later in the evening.


"Shel, you've done a hundred talk shows. Why are you nervous about this one?" Theresa said as the make up artist applied Shelly's foundation.
"It's late night. I've done plenty of daytime TV. And it's Leno! I'm friggin' doing Leno!"
"I know."
"Miss Taylor. Please calm down. You'll be fine. I heard him saying he couldn't wait to meet you," the young girl interrupted.
"See. You have another fan. You're gonna be fine girlie. Just go out there and do your thing."
"I'm still nervous. Only two guests tonight. I should be suspicious but it's his venue,"Shelly argued.
"Miss Taylor, you are absolutely gorgeous, you have great music and you have the hottest boyfriend around. Life is good,"the girl interrupted yet again.
"I like this girl,"Theresa said with a smile."We could be friends."
Shelly sighed. They were both right."You're right. Life is good." Shelly let out a breath and the young lady finished doing her job.
"Knock 'em dead chica."Theresa hugged her as they announced her name.
The interview ran rather smoothly and Jay was an absolutely genuine guy. No tricks. Well almost no tricks. They went to commercial and she saw Nick come out of nowhere. She should listen to her gut more often. Something was up.
"We have a surprise guest with us tonight. As we all know, Shelly is seeing the youngest member of the world famous Backstreet Boys. Would you please welcome Nick Carter to the show."
She obviously missed something. Nick and Jay greeted each other like old buddies. Shelly was about to move when they both told her to remain where she was. Sitting back down she watched as Nick took a seat next to her on the couch next to the chair she was sitting in. Shelly looked at him puzzled as to why he was there."So everything is going good these days I take it Nick."
"Wonderfully but I did show up for a reason tonight Jay."
"And that would be?"
"May I ?" He questioned Jay and he nodded.
He took Shelly's hand and looked her dead in the eye." We've been friends for quite a while now Shel and there's one thing I've learned about you. Even though you're always trying to pull off this modern woman thing, deep down you're a very traditional girl so in the name of all that is tradition." He got down on one knee on the floor in front of her and pulled the small blue velvet box from his pocket.
No way! She could feel her heart pushing through her chest. The guy must have a death wish.
"I'm asking you if you'll spend the rest of your life with me." Popping the box open; revealing the two toned gold, three quarter karat marquise cut diamand engagement ring.
This was not traditional in any sense of the word(other than the fact he got down on his knee). Millions of viewers were waiting for her response and so was he. She remembered the first time she'd met those big blue circles. She didn't know how wrong she'd been about that electricity flowing between them. Not even David had made her feel this way. Nick was the one. Her hand went over her mouth; her breath erratic. She thought maybe she could yank that yes word out there if she had her hand there. She could feel the moisture streaking down her cheek but her lips were curved upward. He was an absolute nutcase and she was madly in love with him."Yes." Her voice cracked.
"Yes?"
"Yes!" she blubbered."Put it on already."
"Obviously this was a surprise so we'll take a commercial break here and give our happy couple a minute to gather themselves."
She barely heard the music play them out before she said to Nick."You have a deathwish Carter."
"Maybe but I'd risk evrything for you."
"How'd you know? I mean, the ring. How'd you know?"
"You know how you were looking at dresses today?"
"Yeah."
"Well I caught you looking at that ring there a couple of weeks ago on the net."
"I see. So all that talk this afternoon at home?"
"I picked up your ring after I played some ball with my bro'."
"I love you so much." She said and softly kissed him.
"We're back in thirty seconds people,"one of the crew bellowed.
"I'm saving the good stuff for later,"She smiled and he groaned. She loved that she could do that to him with mere words.
He returned to his place on the couch and watched Shelly admire her ring. She was sparkling just as much as the dazzling gem on her finger.
"So congratulations are in order here I see. Is there a specific time you have in mind?"
"Spring,"they answered in unison.
Yep. They were a match made in heaven. Too bad Skylar was sure to make it a living hell. She wouldn't worry about that right now though. Her dreams had finally started becoming realities. She wasn't going to give that up for anybody.
End Notes:


If you'd like to get a general idea of the look of the ring, here's the link http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-5929.asp

I don't know how to set the link so you'll have to copy and paste. I'm so computer illiterate. LOL
Chapter 29 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:
Sorry it took so long but here's another chapter for you. Enjoy!


Shock did not even begin to explain what Skylar was feeling. More like pissed off when she saw him in the hall before the show. She didn't approach him then because she really had no reason to. As soon as Shelly was out of his sight with that damn bitch of a friend of hers, she made her way over to Nick and grabbed his shoulder; jerking his attention to her.
"Don't EVEN think about ruining this for her tonight Skylar or I'll kill you myself,"Nick warned.
"Why wouldn't you die for me Nick?! Huh?! You were my first."
"First what?! First virgin?! There were plenty of those before you!"
"You were my first real love Nick. I thought I was yours. You've known her as long as you knew me then. Why does she get the World?!"
"Because she didn't force it. You wanted me to be in love with you but you can't be in love with somebody that doesn't love themself."
"Are you fucking nuts Nick?! You must have a deathwish to have proposed to her on national TV!"
"It was a last minute thing Sky. I was going to wait til the commercial break but I couldn't help myself,"he lied.
She rolled her eyes." I would have given up everything for you Nick but this what do they call em, cougar comes along and you're seeing stars."
"I'm in love with her and everybody seems to think this is a mistake but us. You make her life miserable and I swear to God I'll make Hell look like paradise."
"Big threats from you Nicky. Too bad you couldn't give her a bigger rock."
"If she'd wanted one, I would have. Just because I can give it to her doesn't mean that I have to. That's where you screwed up. So run along to your little boytoy there and play because I'm gettin sick and tired of your antics. I got Brent fired, don't think I won't do it to your ass either."
"He got fired for sexual harrassment Nick. You forget who I know!"
"You just don't get it do you Sky? I was too young to know what being in love was then. I look at her and I see the rest of my life in her eyes."
"She'll be dead before you Nick."
"Maybe but that's what 'til death do us part means. I want to live the rest of my days with her Skylar. I hope you find that kind of love one day."Walking away to find Shelly.


"Let me see, let me see, let me see!" Theresa grabbed Shelly's hand once they were in the dressing room.
"It's gorgeous Shel! Oh My God! it's gorgeous!"She continued gushing.
"You had no idea he was going to do this?" Shelly gained her friend's attention.
"On my Mother's grave."
"Your Mom isn't dead."
"So when she does. NO! I had no idea girlie! The ring?"
"He saw me looking at them on the internet a couple of weeks ago."
"I still can't believe he proposed on national TV."
"I know. He really would die for me wouldn't he?"
"Chica, that boy would do ANYTHING for you!"
"Not exactly the guy I dreamed I'd fall in love with but it never happens the way we plan. I can only imagine that was his thought too."
"Shel. What did you tell me about the first time you looked into his eyes?"
"That I couldn't see my future without him in it."
"You girls almost done in there?" Nick yelled through the door.
"Then don't analyze it girl. You're getting married. "
"I'm getting married. Almost done baby!" Shelly answered and Theresa went to grab the door.
"Let's give her a minute to get changed okay?" Theresa suggested and practically pushed Nick out of the doorway.
"Subtle much Theresa?" Nick said.
"I need to know something Nick and I'm sure it's crossed her mind. This isn't just because you're feeling insecure about an ex is it cuz you know what I'll do if you break my friend's heart."
"Everybody's busting my balls over this Theresa. Why doesn't anybody get that I'm in love with her? Is it so hard to believe?"
"I believe you're in love with her, I just wanted to make sure you're not rushing into it."
"I know what I feel is real and I think you know she's had enough heartbreak in her life to know that I'm not going to walk out on her. I was a selfish kid, I'll admit but I saw a whole new world when Shelly walked into mine."
"You know, I wasn't sure about her dating a younger man but you're not like other guys."
"No he isn't." Shelly slid her arms around him from behind him. "I've gotta take Theresa back to J's but you could be naked and waiting when I got home couldn't you?"She whispered in his ear.
"Y'know, I could take the rental and drop it off tomorrow if you guys can't wait to get home,"Theresa suggested.
"You wouldn't mind?" Nick looked at her hopefully.
"Of course not. I know Shel'd do the same for me."
"Of course I would,"Shelly agreed as her hands slipped up his chest.
"Hand it over then."
Shelly detatched herself from Nick and produced the needed item."You're the best girlie,"she whispered in her friend's ear and hugged her.
"Don't you ever forget it lady. See you lovebirds in the morning."
"If you're lucky."
"You've created a monster Nick. Have fun." Theresa smiled and left them.
"So you think you're gonna get lucky tonight lady?"Nick pulled her into his arms.
"Yeah I do. So take me home now and I promise you won't be disappointed."And softly kissed him.
"Shel, do you think we're rushing into this?"
"You think we because everybody else does don't you?"
"Well, yeah. I don't want to think we are but-"
"Nick,"Shelly interrupted him."You promised me one thing and that was we take this at my speed. If we were going too fast you'd know."
"That's true. So we're getting married."
"We're getting married."
Chapter 30 by Simple Sue
Shelly woke up the next morning to what she thought was the blaring alarm but it was just the shrill ring of the telephone. She reached over onto the bedside table and picked it up. "Hello?" she mumbled.
"Are you two still at it?"Theresa groaned on the other end.
"No. We just barely woke up," Shelly returned as she felt Nick's lips on her shoulder.
"Good grief girlie! It's 10:30. Get your asses out of bed. Alex and I bringing the rental back over. Be ready in a half an hour."
"Yes MOM."
"Just do it."
"Okay. " Shelly's voice rose as Nick pulled the sheet down; his mouth exploring her quite thoroughly.
"Stop it girl. You won't be able to walk if you keep at it like this. Alex and I'll bring some chips and salads. You provide the grill and burgers. Deal?"
"You got it!"She said as Nick's mouth found that sweet spot."Later!" Clicking off the phone and glaring down at him with that huge ass grin plastered on his lips.
"You don't like?"
"You suck!"
"And quite well."
She grabbed a pillow and smacked him over the head with it but it was useless. He was gonna torment her and good Lord! She was grasping the sheets when she felt the shooting pain in her right shoulder."Nick. Please stop."
He ignored her plea but when she screamed and grabbed his shoulder, he knew something was wrong. "Shel?" He slid up the bed next to her. She was holding her shoulder."What happened babe?"
"I don't know. You were down there and when I grabbed the sheet, it was just pain."
"Can you move it?"
"Barely."
"So do you need a doctor or what?"
"Get me the heating pad from the bottom drawer there and we'll see how that works first."
"Okay." He jumped off the bed and retrieved said object. He plugged it in and looked at her." Can you lift up just a little?"
"I think so." Moving slightly but cringing. It was enough to get the pad behind her shoulder and she eased back against it as he turned the heat on.
"You gonna be okay?"
"I think so. Why don't you go take a shower and I'll see how I'm feeling when you're done. AJ and Theresa are headed over with the rental. They'll be here in a half an hour."
"Maybe we should tell them to bring it over later."
It was so adorable how concerned he was at that very moment. "I'll be fine. I'm sure it was just one of those freaky dance moves I did last night. A little heat and I'll be good. Now go take a shower."
"Alright."
"Nick?"
"Yeah?"He turned back to Shelly.
"If you're afraid of AJ, don't be. The only thing he'll probably ride you about is the proposal on TV which I thought was crazy but he is on our side. I love you blondie."Blowing him a kiss.
He still couldn't figure out how she did that. He was a little worried about AJ but he was more worried about Brian and Howie. He knew Brian would eventually come to terms with it but Howie was the one that was going to give him grief til the day he died. Was he the one marrying her? Hell no! Then don't worry about it.

True to her word, they arrived on schedule. Nick greeted them at the door."Hey you two! Shel will be down in a few. She's just finishing up."
"You two didn't go at it in the shower did you?"Theresa commented.
"Not yet but I can't wait for that." And grinned.
"So what did you do to her studly?"AJ said.
"You really don't wanna know."Nick turned around and led the couple into the kitchen.
"Nick, we know you were fooling around when Theresa called. What gives?"
He sighed then reluctantly answered." I was...uh...
"Shit, I don't think I've ever seen him embarrassed about the subject like this,"AJ commented when Nick hesitated.
"He was going down on me and I got a shooting pain in my shoulder from clutching the sheets too tight,"Shelly said as she entered the room."I'm fine."
"So she says,"Nick commented.
"That was TMI Shel,"AJ said and made a gagging noise.
"This from the guy that had his tongue down my throat one night."
"Got you your man didn't it?"
"Children!" Theresa interrupted."Why don't you guys go out and get the grill started and we'll be out in a few."
"God it's sexy when you get demanding. "AJ pulled Theresa into his arms.
"Whatever. If I kiss you will you go away?"
"If you kiss me, I might never leave."
"Ugh! Just go!" She said and pecked him on the cheek.
"See ya in a few sexy," Shelly whispered in Nick's ear and playfully smacked him on the butt as they left the house.
As soon as they were gone, Theresa looked at her friend.
"What?"Shelly said.
"Jeez Shel, I told you to get freaky with your man but really."
"I'm fine. 'Sides you'd think I'm a saint or something. I do have sex."
"Yeah but he must be damn good at that to mix the pleasure and pain."
"This was the first time it happened Theresa but he is VERY good at what he does downstairs."
"Fuck. So is AJ"
Figured as much. They probably trade secrets."
The girls started laughing uncontrollably at that thought. As soon as they settled down, Theresa said,"Does he know about the tour yet?"
"No and I'm not looking forward to telling him. I just want him to remain blissfully unaware for the next few days while we can." It's not that she didn't want to tell him, she just wanted to be happy until she had to get back to playing nice for the camera. It would just be adding insult to injury considering what they were already up against.
"But you are going to tell him?"
"Yeah. Just not until I have to though."
"I guess you'll figure it when the time is right."
"I know but did I tell you he and that arrogant little prick went at it while Skylar and I wrapped up the final details."
"And you let him get away with it?"
"The little shit deserves every ounce of what he gets."
"You do love Nicky."
"Was there ever any doubt? Think we've given them enough time to talk about us?"
"Too bad if we haven't."Theresa grinned and joined her friend.
z88;
"Are you out of your frickin' mind?!" AJ said.
"I'm in love with Shelly."
"I'm not talking about that. I knew you'd pull some crazy shit like that. I'm talking about Skylar. Really Nick? Does Shelly know about your history with that one?"
"She knows what she needs to know and she's pretty much heard most of it."
"Even the part where her Daddy threatened your masculinity for defiling both of his little girls?"
"Shit! Timberfake had both of them too."
"Yeah but he didn't get caught."
"Fine. I'll tell her later."
"But you're still gonna let her go out on the road with that psycho?"
"I don't have a choice."
"You always have a choice Nicky boy. This is a total sham."
"What are you talking about?"
"I know you're not that blonde Nick. She wants you because you have somebody in your life again. She does it every time you get close to somebody. It's not the fans that drive your girlfriends away, it's that pyscho on wheels that does it."
"So what do I do? Shelly asked me not to make a stink and I can kind of see where she's right. I never asked any of the others to marry me Age. Doesn't that say something about the strength of our relationship? I don't want her there anymore than Shel does but I have to let Shel make her own decisions when it comes to her career. She's not a child like I was. Somebody was always making my decisions. I want to let her have a choice."
"Okay but you do know that little ass wipe will be around if not the reason for the next set of dates on Shel's calendar?"
"Timberlake?"
"Yeah."
"I'm trying to be a man about this AJ. Just because he's conned millions of women into thinking he's some kind of fantastic lover doesn't mean Shelly will fall for it. I knew it the minute the words came out of his mouth that she was going to be on his tour, I'm just waiting for her to tell me. I just want her to be happy for awhile cuz Lord knows I would rather have my eyes poked out than to have her on the road with that little jerk off."
"Just so you're not kidding yourself."
"I'm not. I CAN handle this."
"You can handle a lot of things,"Shelly slid her arms around Nick's waist from behind; her chin resting on his shoulder.
"Shel, would you just stop already?" AJ groaned.
"Poor baby. Has to listen about somebody else's sexual antics instead of his own."
"Just don't want to. Come over here and show me the jewel that Nick said forever with."
Shelly proceeded over to the table and held her hand out for AJ.
"Couldn't get her a bigger rock buddy?" AJ teased.
"Funny,"Nick returned.
"He got me the one I wanted, not one that he had to spend a boatload of money on twirp."
"It suits you." Pulling her toward him so she had to grab onto the table for support." Please be careful."
"Of what?"
"Of Skylar."
"I will."
"So Shel, when are we going dress shopping?" Theresa said.
"Soon as you agree to be my maid of honor."
"I guess we're going shopping this afternoon then."
"And it's starting,"AJ teased.
"Say what you will but your day will come."
"As long as Shel's happy, I don't care what happens,"Nick said. It was the truth. As long as she was happy, he was happy.
Chapter 31 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:
I'm trying to keep up with my stories but life takes funny little turns so this may be my savior with all that's going on right now. Thanks for being patient and enjoy!

"So you gonna be okay with this?"Shelly asked him that morning as she twisted her hair up and pulled it into a clip. They had discussed Skylar, the asshole and the tour the night before.
"Are you?"
"I asked first."Shecould see his reflection in the mirror from behind her and it wasn't showing that confidence she felt last night when they'd talked.
"I really wish I could change your mind about it Shel but I understand your reasons."
"Okay, now to answer you. I'm scared to death. These are people that share a rocky past with you. They're determined to make my life a living hell when you're not around."
"No they won't."Sliding his arms down around her." I told her I'd make hell look pretty if she touched a single hair on your head."
Shelly turned in his arms and laid one on him."You are my knight in shining armor Mister. I love you!"
" I love you too babe. I'm gonna miss you."
"We'll talk on the phone and I hear they have this fancy little thing called laptop computers that we could....well, you know."
"Glad you find yourself amusing."
"I find you amusing. That's why I'm marrying you. Well that and." Making the suggestion just as the doorbell rang.
"Saved by the bell." He grinned.
"Funny." She slid out of his arms and made her way to the front door."Good morning Skylar."
"Well good morning to you too. One medium Carribean Passion from Jamba Juice for the star. Did I get it right?"
"One of my many faves but thank you."
"Just looking out for my girl. So is loverboy up yet?"
And there was the end of the niceties."Not that it's any of your business but I think he's getting ready to do some laps in the pool."
"You would be correct,"Nick said as he came upon the two wearing nothing more than his swim trunks.
Damn him! Now she'd want to jump him all day."I'll be home for dinner right Skylar?" Turning her attention briefly to her manager.
Bitch! "That's the plan,"she answered sweetly. Fuck she hated playing nice.
"Love you babe." She kissed Nick then picked up her bag. "See you tonight."
"Love you too,"he called out after her as they got into Skylar's vehicle.
"He really does love you doesn't he?" Skylar commented once they were on the road.
"Yes he does. "
"You know this is just a game for him."
"Skylar, you knew him ten years ago when you were both kids so the guy you knew was immature and had a lot of growing to do. He's done all the kid's games so if you're planning to play any, I suggest you drop your bag of tricks at the office then take me to rehearsal."
"Jeez, it was just conversation."
"So is that what you have with Justin? Cuz I really don't see it. Why him?"
"Because he accepts me for who I am and," hesitating long enough for her to take a drink."He has a huge cock that I can't get enough of ."
Shelly choked on her drink. The girl was good. She wanted to play games?! Bring it on! "I see. I guess that's why I don't have problems getting what I want from men. I don't make it my prerogative to fuck each and every one of them." There!
"You think that's why I wanted Nick?"
"Skylar, your Daddy runs things and you generally get everything you want in life. It just kills you that Nick didn't want you."
Slut! He'll get tired of her. Soon as I convince him he is.
When they arrived at the studio, Skylar couldn't get out of the car fast enough. She almost locked Shelly in. And so it starts. Shelly grabbed her bag and caught up to the spoiled little brat shortly thereafter."You can be a spoiled little rich bitch all you want but we have to work together despite my better judgement."
"So you actually have some guts?" She turned back to Shelly. She honestly thought the girl didn't have a backbone.
"I don't care what the hell you think of me. Nick proposed to me. I'm going to marry him. Get over it!"
"I wasn't worried about that."
"The hell you weren't. Justin is just a distraction for you. You may think I'm a little naive about life but after having to deal with Nick's psycho fans for the last few months, I have no qualms about doing you in and discarding the remains out there in the Pacific with the sharks."
"Jeez Shel, loosen up a little. So I am upset about him proposing to you. I'm not allowed to feel?"
"I never said that. Let's just keep our personal and professional lives seperate okay?"
"You're the boss."
"Not really but let's just try to get along okay?"
"You got it."
Hearing the faint rhythm pulsating from just ahead of them."What's going on?"
"What do you mean?"
"Justin's here."
" I'm surprised you know his music."
"Just a note. Because I live with a pop star doesn't mean I don't listen to other artists."
"But wouldn't Nick be upset if he knew you listened to Justin?"
"Nick knows I had a life before him and just because I like the music doesn't mean I like him."
"You're very opinionated."
"And you're not?"
"Fair enough."
"So where is my rehearsal hall?"
"Just a couple doors down from his. He wants to know how you do too."
"I have videos."
"Don't know why but it's not the same for him he says. We're supposed to let him know when you got here so he could take a peek on his next break."
"Fine. Let's get it overwith." Shelly followed Skylar into the large room and waited for them to finish the number they were working on.
"Sky!"Justin approached and planted one on her.
Shelly was sure it was for show but she smiled when he turned his attention to her.
"Hey Shelly! Ready to go?"
"It's early but I'm getting there."
"So everything going okay?" Skylar said.
"So far so good except my primary hasn't shown up yet so I've had to rehearse without a partner."
"That's a little difficult isn't it?"
"I'd ask one of the other girls to fill in but they like me about as much as Shelly here does."
"But Shel's a professional aren't ya Shel?"
"Yeah but that doesn't mean I wanna dance with him."
"Just this one number and I promise I won't ask for anything else Shel. It would really help me out,"Justin pleaded.
"Fine,"She reluctantly agreed.
"Well I wouldn't want you to do it out of the kindness of your heart or nothing,"Skylar commented as Shelly stretched.
As Shelly's arms went over her head."Do you want me to do this or not cuz I've got numbers I've got to work on too."
"Give it a rest Skylar,"Justin warned.
"thank you." Shelly finished stretching and said,"I'm yours. Take me through it."
" Okay everybody. Back to work. Let's run her through My Love."
Shelly's reluctance to work with him was well founded. Mr. Timberlake had a penchant for making his choreography a good fuck rather than dancing. Brutal perhaps but as his fingertips sunk into her hips, she knew trouble was brewing. However, she was never one to go back on her word so she continued to follow his lead. As he brought her back to himself, he grabbed her ass and said in her ear,"You catch on quickly."
"I'm a professional."
"Professional what?"
That's when she managed to free herself from his grip." Look, I don't know how half the women in this room got their gig but if you think I'm gonna get down on my knees to keep the opening spot, you've got another thing coming."
"Isn't that how you got your first gig?" He smirked.
The music had stopped and the whole room was watching them. It would be so easy to slap him but she wasn't about to give him the satisfaction."No. I just busted his."
His eyes widened as everyone in the room struggled to control their laughter.
"What's going on?" The new party said; totally unaware of what was going on as she entered the hall.
"You must be Justin's dance partner," Shelly said walking toward the young lady.
"Yeah. Vickie. Do I even wanna know?" She said as she sat her bag on the floor.
"I'm Shelly, Justin's opening act. Unless you wanna sue him for sexual harrassment then no,you don't wanna know."
Vickie leaned in and whispered in Shelly's ear." He tried it the first time we danced and let's just say it was the last time he tried. We have a professional partnership now."
They both laughed then Shelly turned her attention back to Justin."Smart girl you got here JT. Now I can get on with my business. Have fun," Shelly said; locating her bag and walking out the door


That evening just as things were wrapping up, Shelly turned to find Nick standing in the doorway of the rehearsal hall with a single red rose. Her heart just melted. Her Mother always told her she should marry an older man but her heart just knew better. Older men came with A LOT of baggage and were set in their ways with no flexibility whatsoever. Nick was starting to meet that in the middle. Sure she'd thought of him as a kid before but she had watched him grow up on the stage. He was a man now and even after everything she did to destroy his masculinity, he still loved and wanted to marry her. He smiled and walked across the room to her."This is a surprise."
"It's supposed to be. I missed you today."
"I missed you too baby,"she said as his arms slipped around her."So what'd you do today?" Smiling as she looked up into those gorgeous baby blues.
"Thought about you all day." Grinning cheesily.
"You sweet talker you."Leaning up and kissing him.
"I actually was thinking about you a lot today but I have another suprise for you."
"What might that be?"
"First of all," he said pulling away from her."The rose and.....I'm taking you out to dinner."
"I'm hardly dressed to go out to dinner."
"Shel, it's a very casual place. Do I look dressed up?"
"No, but you've had time to freshen up."
"Trust me Shel, the place we're going is so intimate it's reserved for just you and me."
"What's going on Nick?"
"I'm trying to be romantic here beautiful and you're ruining it for me."
"Oh, is that what this is?"
"Yes,"he said as he threw her bag over his shoulder."Don't make me throw you over my shoulder too."
"Oh come on!" She teased.
"Don't tempt me."
"Okay. Lead the way. I'm at your mercy."


He pulled the vehicle over about a mile away from their destination. He figured she probably already knew what they were doing but she played along anyway and let him blindfold her."Give me a few minutes and I'll come back for you okay?"Kissing her cheek before going around to the back of the car. He returned as he said and helped her out of the car. After closing the door and locking up, he took her hand and helped her down the path to the beach.
"Nick. please."
"Just a little further.I promise."
"Okay."
"Okay,"He said as he removed the blindfold.
She was speechless. He was absolutely amazing when the world wasn't scrutinizing his every move. Maybe that was just it. She was the only one that mattered and he knew she would be flattered by every gesture he made.
"Shel?"
"Yeah."She turned to him; smiling but with tears in her eyes.
"You're doing that girlie thing on me aren't you?"
She nodded."You are absolutely amazing babe."
"Can I tell you something?"
"Anything."
"I've never done this for anyone before."
"All that talk about romantic evenings on the beach?"
"I've done a lot of things in the moonlight on the beach but romantically, you're the one and only."
This time she was speechless. She couldn't find the words and the tears just kept coming.
"Shel, it's okay."
"Nick, I've never had anyone try so hard to make me happy as you have." She caught her breath for a minute before continuing. "I never thought I'd be one of those women that would be so emotional over something like this."
"Then sit down, I'll pour us some wine and you can tell me all about what happened today."
'"Okay. How do you do that?"
"I know your moods Shel. Remember, we've nearly lived together for four months now. Being on the road and all."
"And yet you still want to spend the rest of your life with me."
" I thought you were over that Shelly."
"I am."
"So sit down and I'll make all your troubles go away."
She kissed him softly then sat down on the blanket.
Grabbing the bottle of wine, he poured her a glass. After handing it to her, he joined her on the blanket. She eased back between his legs and took a sip of her wine. "So tell me what the torturous twosome bombarded you with today,"he said.
"You know them better than I do."
"But I wasn't there. Tell me what they did." He gently massaged her shoulders.
"That feels so good."
"You ain't avoiding it babe. Tell me."
"Well she seems to think she's gonna win you back if the little jerk off distracts me."
" Well I know that but what'd they do?"
"Gave his primary dancer the wrong directions to the rehearsal hall then coaxed me into running through the number with him."
"I'll kill him." He gripped her shoulders.
"Hey! that hurts."
"I'm sorry. I just hate the thought of him anywhere near you."
"I like that you're protective of me honey but I can handle him. I've managed to fend a few like him off in my lifetime."
"I know."
"So let's forget about that and talk about something better."
"Like?" He said and resumed rubbing her shoulders.
"Our wedding."
"I like that."
"Me too."
"So what'd you have in mind princess?"
"Funny you should mention that. I was looking through some websites for wedding planners when I came across the Disney wedding site."
"A Disney themed wedding?" His hands stopped moving.
Shelly turned around to face him."No. It's our wedding in front of Cinderella's Castle."
"For real?"
"You don't like it."
"I think I do. I just want to know why you want to do it."
"I've always wanted the wedding of a princess and now that I can financially do that, I want to. I want to arrive in the crystal carriage and have my Father give me away to my Prince Charming."
"I'm no Prince."
"You're my Prince so live with it Carter."
"So can we have Disney characters at the wedding?"
"Yeah."
"Then I'm in."
"And you weren't before?"
"No. I just always thought weddings were about the bride."
"If I recall seeing Brian's wedding through the eyes of a woman, it's not all about the bride. It's our day.You get a say as well."
"Then let's do it. Let's set the date."
Chapter 32 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:
If you're still reading this, thank you so much! I know I've been lax in updating and I'm trying to keep up a little better these days. Again, thank you
br>
Shelly snuggled up on Nick's chest. She missed having him around on the tour. It was all she could do to sleep at night. Never knew if that little turd Timberfake was gonna stowaway on her bus. It would be part of Skylar's great plan she was sure. Luckily he hadn't in the three weeks she'd been on tour with him. It was torture but Nick was actually being civil to the dynamic duo. They made sure they were all over each other everytime they turned a corner. It was pathetic really. Nick and Shelly had set the date but they hadn't told anybody but their closest friends. Those were the only people that would be attending. Them and family. They would make the final arrangements when they were both home from tour. She looked up at him and watched him sleep. Time to wake sleeping beauty up she grinned. Her lips skimmed lightly over his skin. She could feel him stir slightly but she kept moving toward that spot on his neck that sent his temperature rising. However, her plan was stifled as he flipped her onto her back."Nice try."
"Foiled again."
"Mornin." He grinned then kissed her.
"Mornin. I missed you."
"I missed you too babe."Kissing her yet again."Do we have time?"
They were at the back of the bus, behind closed doors."I think we have a bit your nakedness."
God did he miss her! It was his first night with her. He had a two day break this time. She really was the best thing that ever happened to him. It would be impossible to imagine not waking up next to her every morning. Every morning they could that is." I don't know why I let you get away with that."
"Cuz you didn't let me have my way with you just a few minutes ago?" And bit her lip
"How is it you get more gorgeous every time I see you?" Admiring every inch of her.
"Enough of the small talk. I want you now."
"I think I can arrange that."
"And don't waste your time if you catch my drift."



Fifteen minutes later they lay satiated, side by side on the bed."I'm gonna take a shower," Shelly said; lightly running her fingers over the lower half of his arm. She liked that he wasn't overly hairy.
He noticed where her gaze was drawn."What are you doing?"
"I just like the feel of your arms whether they're around me or not."Continuing her actions and meeting his gaze.
"Is that so?" He grinned deviantly and pulled her over onto him.
"Let go of me. I need to get a shower in before we go in Mister ' I look good freshly fucked'."
"Is that how women see me?"
"Nick, you could wear a garbage bag and women would drool."
"What about you?"
"Just being you makes me drool."Shelly smiled and softly kissed him. "Now let me go."
"Can I join you?"
"Sure," Shelly returned disbelievingly
"You don't think it's possible."
"I just know how compact the shower is."
"And?" Wiggling his brows.
"And do I even wanna know?"
"Probably not so I'll be a gentleman and forget it."
"You're so good to me."And kissed him with a smile."Don't forget it though, save it for a rainy day."
"You got it babe,"he said as she left him laying there to take hers. Life couldn't get much better he mused. Then again, it could get worse. He was stepping out of the small compartment wearing nothing more than a towel around his waist when Skylar appeared."What the hell are you doing?!"
"What? It's not like I haven't seen everything of yours,"Skylar said with a smirk.
"It's not yours to see anymore."
"You sure about that?" She moved closer.
"Positive."
"You're body's saying a whole different thing."
Sometimes he really hated being a man.
Her hands skimmed over his bare chest and up around his neck. Tiptoing, she whispered in his ear."I think you are happy to see me again Nicky. Don't deny it."
"What's going on?"Shelly appeared from behind the divider curtain. She'd heard Skylar but it'd got way too quiet all of a sudden. Skylar had her arms wrapped around Nick's neck and was pressed up against him. Oh hell no!
Nick stepped back in behind the curtain and closed it. He knew there was going to be hell to pay. Especially since he didn't try to fight her off in any way, shape or form. He was going to but Shelly got there quicker than he thought she would.
"Nothing. I just came to make sure you were up and at 'em."Smiling sweetly as she stepped back from Shelly.
"A phone call would have sufficed,"Shelly noted.
"And what if you hadn't picked up?"
"Then you might have assumed that I was in the shower getting ready."
"Nick can't answer your phone?"
"I don't answer his so he doesn't answer mine. It's called respect."
"It's called 'I'm doing somebody else and I don't want you to know' is what it is."
"Is that all you think about? I feel sorry for you."
"Like that's not all you think about."
"So because I'm an older woman with a younger man, sex is the only thing I'm here for."
"It's what he's here for."
"You know, I've played nice all this time because I'm a grown up but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let you insult me!" Her fist had balled up and landed one right in Skylar's cheek.
"Fuck! I was just telling the truth. He was getting a stiffy with me being that close."Smiling despite the fact she was in very real pain. She loved getting a rise out of Shelly. It was going better than she planned.
"No you're playing your usual games and I'm sick and fucking tired of them!"
"Well you could always get new management."
"No cuz then you'd go off crying to your Daddy that the big bad popstar took away your boyfriend."
"Which one?"
Oh that was it! Shelly grabbed a handful of Skylar's hair as she had turned to leave and slammed her head into the wall. She wasn't normally a violent person but Skylar had pushed one too many buttons this time.
"You bitch!"Skylar turned as she regained her stability and clawed Shelly's arm. Take that!
"Slut!" She asked for it! She grabbed a fistful of Skylar's hair yet again and pushed her onto the couch; banging her head against the bus' window."Let me go!" Shelly screamed as she felt herself being pulled off Skylar.
"She's not worth it Shel," Nick said; setting her down.
"Get your hands off me!" Shelly growled.
SKylar was hurting no doubt but she pulled herself up and winked at Nick."I'll see you later." She knew it would flip Shelly out again but Nick had her restrained .
Shelly was kicking and screaming obscenties as Skylar exited the bus.
Nick released her once the offending party was gone.
Shelly straightened herself up as she turned to Nick."Is what she said true?"
"About?"
"Don't play games with me Nick. I'm not a girl like she is."
"You were sure as hell acting like one!"
"I tried playing nice for a long time Nick. It doesn't work with her. She's a spoiled little princess that thinks her money can buy her whatever she wants. And she wants to buy you!"
"You're not jealous are you?"
"That's what you got out of that?!"
"I'm just saying that most of us have had to work for everything we've got and you figure why should she be any different."
"That's not it at all. It's about her being draped all over you like a cheap suit and you not doing a damn thing to fight her off!"
"I was just about to shove her off my ass when you appeared."
"Yeah right!" Shelly rolled her eyes and went to grab her things when he grabbed her arm. She glared at him.
"Have I ever lied to you once?!"
"There's a first time for everything!"she spat; pulling out of his grip.
He gave up. She was beyond reasoning at this point. She just needed to cool off. Yeah, that's it he kept telling himself as she knocked him in the head with her bag as she rushed off the bus.
Chapter 33 by Simple Sue
"Wow...you let her do this to you?" Justin remarkedas he lay the ice pack against her bruised cheek.
Skylar cringed at the chilling sensation.
"Sorry."
"You know you don't have to do this."
Whispering in her ear,"If we're gonna keep this charade up I do."
"You mean the loving, caring boyfriend?"
"That would be it."
"Why?"
"You know I don't like Nick."
"But I do."
"Doesn't matter. I don't care what happens once they split up. We don't like each other but if the bum makes you happy then that's what you should do."
"I don't know about you Timberlake but thank you."
"Now that's something new on you too."
"I have my moments."
"Now there's the girl I know. So what exactly did you do to piss her off this much?"
"Nick was just coming out of the shower when I got on the bus so I draped myself all over him."
"I'm surprised she didn't take you out right then and there."
"The only way she'd do that is if I were fucking him."
"You do want her out of the picture don't you?"
"Yeah."
"I'm surprised you didn't come up with it yourself. They may be fighting but he'll be here with her tonight. Wait til her set's almost over, make sure he's in her dressing room alone, then go in for the kill."
"But what's gonna set him off?"
"Just let me take care of that one sweetness," he replied with a sly wink."I've got an interview in a couple of hours."
"I know. So does she. How do I explain this away?"
"Tell 'em you ran into a door instead of your popstar beating the holy hell out of you for hitting on her fiance."
"Thank you."
"No sweat my pet," he leaned over and kissed her on the unbruised cheek."We both get we want if this works."
"I have a feeling it will."


"So is this silent treatment a permanent thing?"Nick commented that evening as he absently looked through his daily tweets.
She turned as she put an earring on."Like you care." Her voice filled with venom.
"Oh good. You do have a voice."
"I was saving it for somebody else but since you've decided to be an ass."
He knew he had to choose his words carefully but he had to speak the truth as well."You're letting her win Shel."
"Win what?! I didn't know there was a contest going on."
"It's not but she likes pushing your buttons and you keep letting her."
"I forget. This is my fault."
Ugh! "You are so damn stubborn Shelly!"
"Well excuse me the hell out of me for caring aobut another woman hanging all over you. I'm in love with you for cryin' out loud! Shouldn't I care?"
"I'm not saying you shouldn't Shel but it was only an physical reaction. I'm not in love with her. I love you."
I'll give him physical!"How silly of me. I didn't know that it was okay that way."
"This is coming from a woman that draped herself all over one of my best friends when we first started seeing each other."
She rolled her eyes." You and I were not officially dating then you asshole and I'm not talking to you anymore tonight!" She said as she slammed the dressing room door. She needed to breathe. She was on in fifteen and she needed to calm down before she went on. She had learned from the previous A-hole that she had to push this aside for the next forty five minutes. She knew she was being childish but dammit! She was in love with him. Hopelessly devoted and all that crap. He had her heart. What happened on the bus wasn't that dreamy eyed fan encounter she knew was part of his life everyday. And she'd never been suspicious of anybody in her life until Skylar came along. She needed fresh air. She slipped out the backstage door. She took a deep breath and exhaled. She was starting to feel better when she heard the door whoosh open. "You okay?"
Justin. She needed this like she needed a hole in the head."What do you want?"
"Well they're looking for you being as you're the opening act and all. For some silly reason they thought you'd be in your dressing room."
"That's the last place I wanna be."
They fought. Good. Play it cool."Anything I can help with?"
"Keep your skanky ass girlfriend away from Nick for starters."
"Trouble in paradise?"
"Not that I want to tell you but where do you think she got the can of whoop ass from?"
"That was you?"
"Why does everybody find it so hard to believe?"
"I can but I don't understand the rest."
Shelly smiled."At least you learned your lesson."
"What? Loverboy in there didn't come running after you?"
"No. Thinks I'm stubborn."
"Are you?"
"Sometimes but don't I have a right to be pissed off about your girlfriend hanging all over my fiance that was half naked at time?" She sighed frustratedly as she paced.
"I can see where there could be issue there."
"Why am I even talking to you? It's not like you even care that she was draped all over another man."
"Now hold on just a minute. I do care but I'm really not in the mood to deal with her myself. I mean after she told me how she got that bruise....." He trailed off.
"You mean she actually told you the truth?" Shelly responded disbelievingly.
"I know right?"
"I'm sorry Justin."
"Don't be. We've both got the right to be frustrated as hell."
"I might have got the wrong idea about you. I should get going right?"
"Yeah. Might be a good idea. Don't want to get the reputation for being late on stage."
"For what it's worth, you can do a lot better than her."
"You think so?"
"Yeah. Thank you."
"Shel?" He grabbed her free hand as she opened the door.
She turned back to look at him and met chest. Very nice chest. Fuck Shel! get a grip! you just had a fight with Nick. It's not like you won't make up. He lifted her chin to meet his eyes. Damn blue eyed men! Temptation staring her right in the face.
"You gonna be okay?"
She nodded.
"It's not worth the aggrevation Shel." Women love this.
"Justin."
"Yeah?"
"I should really get going."
"I know."
"Then why can't I move my feet?"
"Don't know." His hands surfaced on her cheeks.
She should have been repulsed but she found herself being drawn in."Don't care do you?"
He shook his head and put on that slick grin he wore. It should have been 'Danger! Will Robinson!' but her free hand landed on his arm as his lips softly met hers.
As he met with no resistance,he pursued the entanglement of their lips. She even seemed eager at one point but he could feel her pulling away.
"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have let you do that ."
"You're right. You shouldn't have."
That was Nick. How much had he seen? It really didn't matter because he HAD seen it. She pulled away from Justin."What? It was just physical right?"
End Notes:


If you've enjoyed the story this far, thank you and remember feedback is a writer's best friend :)
Chapter 34 by Simple Sue
Well that one came back to bite him in the ass. Still hurt like hell though. He wanted to rip the bastard from limb to limb and bury him in random spots but he was an adult. He couldn't kill the guy or even maim him. He could however wring the guy's neck verbally. Shelly brushed coldly passed him before he started."As much as I want to rip you a new one, I cannot for the life of me understand what compels you to hit on every last one of my girlfriends."
"Because they're hot Carter. I don't know what you put in their drinks."
"It's called being a man but you wouldn't get that."
"Apparently not or they wouldn't be all over my shit."
Please God give me the strength not to beat the living crap out of him!" She had a minute of weakness there."
"What? You're not pissed off at her?"
"Of course I am but you most likely instigated it."
"I did nothing. She kissed me too. I didn't force her."
"You never do."
"I can't help it if you're not man enough for any of them."
Just let me damage him a little please? He balled his fist up."Y'know. You're right Timberlake. I do let women walk all over me."
"Really?"
Catching him off guard was the best ploy he'd ever come up with. He hit him in square in the gut. Not enough to do. any damage to his face but enough for him to suffer before showtime."No. Not really." That felt really good he looked to the Heavens then returned inside the venue. He plopped down on the sofa in Shelly's dressing room. What happened to her? Just a month ago she was kneeing this guy in the nuts and now she was liplocking him. It didn't make sense. He'd taken it slow before and lost out on a lot of great girls but when he got Shelly, he knew he didn't need to waste any time in making that next move. The puzzle finally fit with her. Was she becoming 'Hollywood'? He hated to even think that way but first the wedding at Disney now the ice cold reaction to him. Okay, so the wedding didn't bother him so much. She deserved to have the wedding of her dreams just like any woman but if something like this incident had happened before, she would have fled in tears. She just wasn't the same woman he fell in love with. They needed to work this out. They had to. Nick was scrolling down his laptop when he heard the door open. His eyes moved briefly from the screen to find Skylar there."Where's Shelly?"
"Aw Nick. No hello for me?"
"I'm not in the mood."
"I heard Shelly was."
"I'd rather not revisit that."
"Too soon?"
"You've been the cause of most of our trouble today so it would seem to me you would buy a clue and leave well enough alone."
"Now you're starting to sound like her."
"I should've let her beat you to a bloody pulp."
"You don't mean that Nicky."
"Considering she was macking on your man earlier tonight, you're taking it rather well."
"And you are?"
"No I'm not that's why I think you should get your ass out of here before she gets back."
Skylar made herself comfortable next to him on the couch." I know you still think of me Nick."
"That was just a physical reaction to a touch."
"Do you get turned on by every woman that touches you cuz I think Shelly might want to know about that."
"Don't you have something better to do?"
"Nothing better than you Nicky,"she whispered in his ear.
Her breathing on him was a distraction. Nothing he really missed. Her hand on his thigh however was something she was quite remarkable with. He could move it. She wasn't repulsive physically."I thought JT was your cuppa."
"He's a nice little distraction but he's not the one." She continued massaging his thigh.
"Who is?" He felt himself reacting to her touch again.
She giggled."Come on Nick. Don't be so blonde. You know it's you,"Skylar said; pushing the laptop computer from his lap and making herself comfortable.
"Two wrongs don't make it right Sky."
"But it could be fun," she said; slowly unbuttoning her blouse.
He knew he couldn't disguise the look in his eyes. It was a nice view and it could be just recreational."Yes it could," he replied and pushed the silk blouse off her shoulders; quickly burying his face in her chest. She had one of those easy access bras on. He detached it and went to town.
Skylar knew she had him. His lips traveled upward along her neck and brought her mouth to his. It was a full on assault. In her mind, this would get rid of the old bag. She fumbled through the buttons of his shirt. God! she loved his body.
Nick pulled away breathless." We can't do this."
"You were doing pretty well there for a few minutes."
"Don't stop on my account,"Shelly remarked as she passed through and behind the screen where her street clothes were. She could play the broken hearted fiance but that would feeding right into Skylar's ego. Shelly was going to be a grown up this time and have the last laugh. She'd been so naive to believe that she could actually do this tour without trouble.
"Get off of me!"Nick growled.
"You heard the lady. I think we should give her a show."Skylar was feeding off his anger.
Breaking her grip around his neck."You really don't want to fuck with me Skylar."
"No, I just want to fuck you."
That was it! He let go of her and stood. Her back hit the floor."Dammit Carter! You'll pay for this!"
"Give it a rest. You planned this."
"I didn't hear you complaining." She got and pulled herself together with a shiteatin grin.
"Get out of here!"
"You are just so damn sexy when you're dominate!" She smirked before leaving the room.
Damn her! He should have known better. " Shel. Let's talk. We both screwed up a lot today. I'm sorry."
Sorry he got caught. She came out from behind the divider with her bag and stood in front of the mirror. Silent treatment didn't work too well before. Maybe he'll get the clue this time. She fluffed her hair and checked her make up.
"Come on Shel. You have to talk to me sometime."
She turned to face him."You're right. I do. Get your shit and go wait on the bus for me. I'll be out when I'm damn good and ready."
"But-
"But nothing! I'll talk to you when I'm damn good and ready too." Her cell phone ringing at just that moment. She picked it up. Theresa. Oh great! Showtime!" Hey lady! What's going on?"
"That's what I'd like to know. I've heard from you in a couple weeks. You are still alive aren't you ?" Theresa teased.
"Last time I checked I was. So how's it going with you?" She said to her friend while glaring at Nick.
Defeated, he grabbed his things and headed toward the tour bus. She had no right but then again, neither did he.
Chapter 35 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:
I know it's been forever but Nicky came out to play so I thought I should play. Enjoy!

“Not too bad here but you're holding back on me Shel,”Theresa replied. “ Shel? Shelly!” She said after getting no response.
“I'm sorry . I've gotta go.”
“What's going on?”
“I had a fight with Nick. I'll catch you later,”she said and hung up; turning her phone off because she knew her friend would try back immediately.
“Trouble in paradise?”Skylar leaned against the door frame with a smirk.
“Leave me the fuck alone,”Shelly replied as she gathered her things.
“Now Shel, is that any way to talk to your best bud?”
“YOU are not my best bud. YOU are a disease. Do you think I'm so naïve as to not see what you're trying to do?”
“And what am I trying to do?” Playing innocent.
Shelly just rolled her eyes in disgust.” I should have handicapped you when I had the chance.”
“Then why didn't you?”
“Because she has more class than that. Move,”Nick ordered; practically pushing her out of his way.
“Shel, I need to talk to you . You don't have to say anything. Just please listen.”
“Okay.” Dropping her bags.
“Okay?”He said; shocked she was going to actually listen.
“Yeah. I had no right to treat you like that. We work because we talk and I just pushed you away. I made a mistake today. One I don't care to repeat.”
“Me too. I don't like seeing you hurt. I love you too much to put you through that.”
“I love you too.”
“Unfuckingbelievable!” Skylar looked at them in disgust.
Nick turned to her.”Sorry we foiled your little plot there Sky. Now leave.”
Huffing, she stormed away.
“Was she always like that?”Shelly said as she gathered her things again.
“Not when I knew her. She actually was a nice girl at one point in her life,”he said as he took Shelly's hand and grabbed the bag from her.”Let me carry that.”
“You know what I think it is with her?”
“What?”
“She lost you and now that you have somebody, she's realized what a good thing she let get away and is willing to do anything to get you back.”
“I guess. I feel kind of bad for Justin though.”
“Why?” He said as they got closer to the bus.
“Because he's just using her.”
“Well he knows that.”
“Does he?”
“I'm pretty sure he does. He never seems too worried about her so I can't imagine they have a great relationship,”Shelly said; climbing the stairs on the bus.”But let's not talk about them anymore. Let's focus on us.”
He wasn't going to argue that. He closed the door and dropped her bag on the floor in the front of the bus; following the path of clothing she left in the path. Pushing the curtain back, she lay there in nothing more than her bra and panties. He quickly undressed and climbed in next to her.”I like the way you think Shel.”
“I learned from you,”she replied; climbing onto him and all his glory. She started with his mouth then started working her way down his body; nipping and sucking. Her tongue twisting around each of his nipples; her hands exploring other regions. He felt so damn good it's a wonder they ever did get out of bed. Her lips brushed his skin all the way down to his cock. She took him in her hand and started stroking before she traced her tongue around it's tip. No wonder woman clamored to get a ride on him. She had him and he knew how to use what God had gifted him with. Not all men could be told that. Her lips wrapped around the head as she stroked him steadily. She just loved the sound of his groans and the way he always called out her name when she released him. This time was no exception. Normally she would have wanted him to give her a little in return but she wanted him so badly, her body was ready for him. Easing down onto him, she heard him say,”God baby you feel so good.”
And he did too. She slowly rode him; steadily increasing her rhythm until he took control and turned her onto her back.
It wasn't there usual take our time lovemaking session. This was an out and out make up fuck. They needed to feel each other. Her hands gripped his ass as he thrust furiously into her. Her foot running over his calf; only fanning his climax all that much sooner.”Shit Shel! I can't take it when you do that.”
“You mean this?”Squeezing his ass. She could feel her body tensing. God but did he know how to use that thing.
“Fuck!” He moaned and let it all go.
Holy shit! They came together. When did that happen? Not like it would ever happen again but Damn! She liked that. Liked it a lot.”I love how you make me feel,”She whispered breathlessly as he rest on top of her.
“I think we need to fight more often,”he teased.
“Not if I can help it.”
He chuckled.”I love you Shel.”
“Then let's get elope.”
He rolled off her then turned on his side and looked at her like she was insane. She wanted the big wedding. Was she serious?”You're not serious are you?”
“We can elope first then have the big wedding. A lot of stars do it.”
“You're not doing this just to keep her from getting between us are you?”
“No. We'll be in Vegas tomorrow and we have the next day off so we can have a mini honeymoon before the big event.”
“You're really sure you want to do this?”
She leaned up on her side and looked deep into his eyes,”Yes. When it comes to you, I don't need to think about it anymore because I know.”
“Then we'll do it.”



Meanwhile, fifteen minutes before his show time, Skylar burst into Justin's dressing room.”What the fuck are you not doing?!”
“What are you on about?!” He looked at her.
“I almost had him and you fucked it up for me.”
“Don't lay this one on me Skylar. He laid into me for kissing her.”
“You're not trying hard enough then.”
“Face it Sky. He doesn't want you anymore and honestly I can say as I blame him. She's one hot piece for an older woman. I wouldn't let her go if I had a ring on her finger.”
“You're all alike.”
“No. You're just a spoiled little princess that gets whatever she wants only this time you didn't.”
“It's not over until I say it is.”
“God you've turned psycho.”
“No. I just know what's good for him and she's not. You need to double your efforts.”
“You need to get a life. I'm done.”
“I don't think so.”
He turned around.”Yes I am.”
“Only if I say you are.”
“And if I don't continue to play your game?”
“I'll tell my Daddy you slept with my little sister when she was underage.”
“You wouldn't.”
“Try me.”
“You have gone off the deep end.”
“Yeah but we'll both end up happier for it.”
“Only in your dreams.”
“So do we have a deal?”
“I don't see as where I have much of a choice.”
“I knew you'd come around.” She knew she had him by the nuts and she'd have Nick by them if her plan B worked.
Chapter 36 by Simple Sue
Theresa looked at the time on the clock as the telephone had woke her and AJ early that morning. He grumbled as she fumbled behind and finally turned over to reach the annoying object.”Hello?” She mumbled.
“Hey lady! I know it's early but I need to ask a huge favor.”
She sat up and rubbed the sleep from her eyes.”Does it involve killing Nick?”
Shelly laughed.”No. We made up but we actually need you and AJ to meet us in Vegas.”Hesitating.”Well today.”
“What's going on girlie?”
“Can you do it?”
“Who's on the phone?”AJ said; still in a sleep fog.
“It's Shelly.”
“Did Nick fuck up again?”His speech still sleep slurred.
“Theresa,”Shelly regained her attention from the other end.
“I'm sure we can get a flight.”
“You're the best,”she squealed with delight.” We'll get a room for you and see you when you get here.”
“Shel?”
“Yeah?”
“You're not doing what I think you're doing.”
“Just bring your nice dress.”
“Okay.”
“You're not pregnant are you?”
“No. Just give us a call when you get in and we'll go from there.”
“Don't you have a show tonight?”
“Yes I do but don't worry about that. Just get here okay?”
“We'll be there soon as we can lady.”
“Love you chica.”
“Love you too. See you soon.” Hanging up after Shelly. Theresa sat up on the bed and turned the light on.
AJ absently reached over to pull her back into bed. He wanted to go back to sleep but something told him that wasn't going to happen.”Come back to bed please.”
“Can't.”She'd opened her laptop and started searching for the next available flight out of LAX.
“Why not?”He pushed himself up and leaned against the headboard.
“Nick and Shelly are getting married.”
That woke him up!”And you know this how?”
“I know my friend and they're in Vegas. Want us to come and join them. That means only one thing in my book.”
“That means nothing. I know Nick.”
“And he put a ring on her finger. This from a man nobody ever thought would get married at all.”
“I hate it when you make sense.”
“You should be used to it by now.”
“I am. I just don't like it.”
“Who said you had to? Now get your scrawny ass out of bed there and get a shower. I'll throw some things together for us. Our flight leaves at nine.”


So six hours later, the plane landed and they arrived at the hotel. Shelly was beaming. Oh yeah. She knew her friend all too well. She wasn't going to say anything until they got settled up in the room because she wanted to hear them say what she already knew was true but AJ beat her to the punch.
“So Theresa seems to think you two are gonna tie the knot here in Vegas.” The smile on Nick's face was a dead giveaway. He couldn't believe it was true.” For real man?”
“Aren't your friends supposed to be happy for you?” Shelly's mood had deflated immediately. Like he didn't want to be the last man standing or something. Screw him. He wasn't going to ruin the happiest day of her life.
“Of course they are. Alex is just been a dolt because he didn't get to lounge in bed all day Saturday,”Theresa said with a smile on her face.
“Well maybe you could take a nap this afternoon while my girl and I go shopping for a dress.”
“You know I'm happy for you Shel. I just thought you wanted all the fanfare. The fairytale wedding and shit.” It was the best he could do for an apology. After all, he'd been a part of why they were together in the first place. He gave her a quick hug.”I'd take one but I gotta give Nicky boy one last hurrah before you tie him down.”
“Funny.”
He chuckled.”Seriously though. I am happy for you guys and if this is what you want, then we're there for you.”
“That means a lot to me AJ but you do need to get him out of here because according to tradition, he shouldn't even be in the same room with me right now.”
“You got it girl.”
“Grab your bag because you won't be seeing this room again until after the nuptials.”
“No problem.”He smiled as slung the bag over his shoulder.”I'm assuming Nick knows the plan?”AJ teased.
“Don't push it Alex,”Shelly smiled and the two men left her and her girl alone.
“Okay lady. What made you decide to get married here in Vegas and not wait until your schedules cleared.”
“I'm still going to do the horsedrawn carriage and what not like I wanted to but it's just a piece of paper. Whether we do it here, there or at city hall, all that matters is that he loves me and I love him.”
Shelly sat down on the bed and Theresa sat down next to her.”You know I'm not one to hide my feelings so I'm just going to come out and ask you this. Are you doing this because of Skylar?”
“Seriously?”
“Well she has kind of been a thorn in your side and from the sounds of what was going on when I called you last night, it did make me question your rationale on this one.”
“ I know it's very impulsive of me but I don't want to wait anymore. I just want him to spend the rest of my life with him and the sooner it starts, the better.”
“Well then, let's go find you that dress girlie.”



AJ dropped his bag on the floor and turned to face Nick.”What's really going on here Nick? Last night you two were fighting and now she wants to tie the knot. What gives?”
He shrugged.” I don't know. I always thought she was the sensible one between the two of us but she was the one that suggested it.”
“Is this what you want?”
“Are you trying to talk me out of it because you can save it. Shell called you two because for some insane reason she thought you'd be the most supportive.”
“What do you think this is? I'm trying to understand the reasons why she's giving up the big fancy wedding in lieu of a wedding chapel Vegas style?”
Nick slid his fingers through his hair; sitting down on the nearest chair.”I don't think I can. I would do anything for her Jay so if this is what she wants, I'm gonna do it. I mean seriously, I knew I was taking my life into my own hands when I proposed to her on national TV and she's still going to get her fairytale wedding, we're just going to sign the piece of paper today. I mean really, didn't everybody think I would be the last person in the world ever to say I do after the role model of a marriage my parents had?”
“Okay. I get it. This isn't just a whim.”
“So what are we gonna do until ten tonight?”
“Get a decent suit for you for starters then some food.”
“How 'bout food first since you dragged my ass out of bed for this. I'm starving.”
“You're my best man. Lead the way.”
Chapter 37 by Simple Sue
Author's Notes:


for those of you still reading this story, thank you. I know I haven't been the best for updates but I'm trying to keep up a little with some of my older stuff so again thank you and enjoy!


That evening at the show, Skylar didn't let the fact that Nick wasn't with her go unnoticed. “Trouble in paradise again?”She smirked as she entered the dressing room.
Theresa just wanted to pop her one but she held back for Shelly's sake.
“Not that it's any of your business but no. He just wanted to relax at the hotel with his friend.”
“Awfully convenient your friend is dating his friend isn't it?”
“Why don't you go bother your boyfriend. I'm sure he misses you terribly,”Shelly quipped.
“But I'm supposed to be here for you Shel.”
“Then take care of my business, not my life. Think you can handle that?”
Skylar huffed out of the room.
“God! Don't you ever want to just pound her into the ground Shel?” Theresa said after she left.
“Most days yes and especially when I found her half naked on my fiancé.”
“So that's why you're doing this.”
“Theresa. Look at me,”She turned from the mirror and looked at her friend.”I know you and AJ are only trying to look out for us but there's no one I'd rather have with us for this. You're my bestie and it just wouldn't be the same if you weren't sharing it with me.”
“Oh My God Shel. You really are ready for this.”
“I don't feel like I have to hide things with him. That and his kid at heart demeanor is what I'm in love with.”
“And he's crazy about you. Hang on,”Theresa's cell phone rang.”Hello.”
“Hey babe! How's the blushing bride?”AJ remarked.
“Calm as can be. The groom?”
“I'm working on it. I think the reality of it all finally struck him.”
“Really?”
“I didn't say anything to try and talk him out of it. I just think the commitment factor finally sunk in. He'll be fine. After all, the guy proposed to her on national television. I just keep reminding him this is the woman that nearly destroyed his 'goods' and he still wanted to be with her.”
Theresa laughed.”I've got an idea. Put him on the phone.”
“Okay,”he replied and called Nick over to the phone.
“Hey Theresa,”Nick said.
“Hey. Hang on. Shel,”she said and handed her the phone.
“Hello?” Shelly said.
He knew her voice like the back of his hand. Nick said,”Hey baby. How's it going?”
“Honestly?”
“Yeah.”
“I'm a little nervous.”
“Me too.”
“Hey. We're gonna be okay y'know. We've got our good friends here and we've made it through some better or worse stuff already right?”
“Yeah.”
“I love you so much Nick Carter and I want to spend the rest of my life showing you just that. Are you with me?”

“Yeah. We're gonna be good. I am going to make you the happiest girl in the world Shel.”
She started to cry her happy tears.
“Shel? What's wrong?”
“Nothing. It's just that sentimental girl thing I never thought I'd have. See you soon. Love you.”
“Love you too. Should I put Jay back on?”
“Yeah. I'll get Theresa,”She said and called her back to the phone.
Theresa smiled and took the phone from her friend.”Alex?”
“Yeah I'm back,'' he said.
“Better?”
“ I think the groom's nerves have settled. We'll see you guys there.”
“Have I told you lately how much I love you?”
“Love is in the air. I love you too babe.”Hanging up the phone and turning to Nick.”Are you okay bud?”
“Now that I've heard her voice I will be,”he said. He knew it was just the last minute cold feet he was feeling but they were feeling like Antarctica until that point. Something in it always soothed him but made him feel like he needed to protect her at the same time. That's what he was going to do. For the rest of his life. He may have had lousy role models for parents but the men that had been an integral part of his life had proven to him that marriage could be a good thing with the right person. Shelly was it. Despite the reason people thought they shouldn't work, they did.


Getting married in Vegas isn't an easy task. Well keeping it anonymous is. They chose one as far off the strip as they could get away with. It was simple. Just a few white roses lining the aisle was their choice. She would have her big show when the time was right. AJ and Nick were already there when she and Theresa arrived. Wow! Even AJ cleaned up nice but Nick was making her speechless. It was the same style ensemble he wore when he proposed to her. Nice black slacks with a jacket to match and a burgundy shirt open at the collar.”Wow.”
“Wow back.”He smiled and took her hand. They weren't going for an over the top but she looked more gorgeous than he'd ever imagined she would in white. She was traditional in that sense but he knew she'd be wearing the big frilly dress when she had her day. That he knew. She was a girlie girl in that sense but tonight she wore a simple white knee length dress that hugged her in all the right places. He couldn't wait to get his wife back to the room. She would be soon.
“Let's do this.” She took his hand and squeezed it gently.
“Have I told you how beautiful you look?”He whispered in her ear and she giggled.
“I love you too.”She knew it was his roundabout way of telling her because she was just as nervous as he was. She also knew there was no other man she wanted to spend the rest of her life with.
This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9850