Spirit of Happiness by ajsbaby
Summary: Grace gets a phone call from home that sends her life spiraling out of control just in time for the holidays. Added into the mix is her indecisive former best friend who is trying to rebuild the bridge between them. How will she survive?
Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys Characters: AJ
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: Sexual Content
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 21309 Read: 11685 Published: 12/24/09 Updated: 11/09/10
Story Notes:
This is a little something I was doing for Christmas. I'm afraid there is no way it'll be done by then but I will post it anyway. I'm just trying this out right now so please let me know what you think.

1. Nothing Extraordinary by ajsbaby

2. A Phone Call From Home by ajsbaby

3. Conversation with a Ghost by ajsbaby

4. Carter Strikes Again! by ajsbaby

5. The Last Day-Girls Day Out! by ajsbaby

6. Pour Me....another one... by ajsbaby

7. Tracks by ajsbaby

8. Home Sweet Home! by ajsbaby

Nothing Extraordinary by ajsbaby
Author's Notes:
Okay,so here's the first chapter of my attempt at a holiday themed story. Please let me know your thoughts on it.
A breeze of cold swarmed through the opened door, my brother Anthony walked in with the basket of petals in his hand. He had raced all the way home and back again just to fetch them. Of all things to forget, in the rush to get to the chapel, Daisy, my niece and flower girl had left the flowers she was supposed to drop. Her father ran three red lights just to get back on time. It was a very important item; after all, what is a flower girl without flowers.

“Oh Anthony, you’re a lifesaver.” I said. “Just in time too. We were about to start.”

“No problem, it’s not everyday my sister gets married.

A quick hug from him and then the music began to play. That was my cue. I gripped my bouquet of fresh flowers with both hands and passed through the doors. I never would have thought to have a wedding in December. It was always just too cold, and I was never one for that type of weather, so how could I possibly enjoy it, but as I walked down the aisle, I took in the sight of the extravagant floral arrangements and the blue and snowy white décor all around. This is what it feels like to get married. I smiled.

I peeked at the groom to see if his face showed any signs of regret or uncertainty, but there was none. There was no doubt in my mind that he was very much in love with his bride, and I felt guilty for ever doubting it. Everything was just perfect, so surreal, that it looked like a scene straight out of a fairytale.

But this was not my fairytale. I took my place and stood proud and tall as I watched my baby sister walk down the aisle in her white princess gown. I’ll never forget the way she looked, the way she smiled at that moment. Bliss was too small of a word to describe it. I had to wipe a tear off my cheek before she could see it. I know it would have made her cry even more than she already was. The last thing I wanted to do was make only sister cry on her wedding day.



~~~

My name is Grace and ever since I can remember, I’ve always lived life just going through the motions. Somehow always being overlooked by everyone. I’m an average girl with an average life, an underachiever I guess you could call me. I never really bothered fighting for anything in my life and I was pretty content with the way my life had turned out. I had a average job- well, okay, maybe not so average, to some, working for the Backstreet Boys might be a tad more than average but that was the highlight of my life. I’ve been asked before by the few people that have found out about my occupation, how a girl like me could land a job working for a successful band. It’s not exactly the type of job that pops up in the classifieds but it’s pretty easy when most of your life you lived next door to the mother of one of its members, and your mother happens to be good friends with her.

At first, it started with small things, I never imagined it would grow into something this big. Back nearly two decades ago the boys had just started out and at the time they had only a small crew, and by small I mean almost non-existent. My mother and I would lend a helping hand whenever we could. My sister Samantha was much too young to be of any great help, but she was an awesome supporter of the group and probably the first fan they ever had.

As their popularity began to increase locally, so did the demand for them. AJ’s mother Denise started up a little fan club for them. At first she was able to manage on her own but as the fans grew in numbers so did the work required to run such an organization. It was much too much work for a single person and a bit overwhelming for her. My mother and I began to help her pass out index cards to crowds when they performed locally. We’d collect each girls information and entered them into a database and send out letters and photos of the guys to them in an effort to promote the group. To make a long story short, we sort of became the band’s first unofficial PR Team. I say unofficial because we were never paid for that.

It was quite fun mailing all those letters out to these obviously insane girls but I never dreamed it would become so hectic, so out of control. We sort of took over the duties of the fan club when Denise would go on tour with them. When the boys hit it big overseas things got really crazy. I still work for them. Things have calmed down some since but the demand for them is still amazing.

“Grace, hold on.” A woman’s voice called out t me as I neared the entrance of the area the boys would be performing tonight.

“Hey Leigh, what can I do for you?” I asked.

Leigh Boniello, now Leigh Dorough, and I never really liked each other in the beginning. Well at least I didn’t like her. For years I had worked hard helping Denise run things smoothly with not only the fan club, but the selling of merchandise at concerts and helping the boys get dressed before shows and in between numbers. When she came along, things changed drastically for me. I felt like I’d been stripped and demoted or something. Denise and I had put a lot of sweat and devotion into keeping things together and here come this woman out of nowhere pushing us aside like she owned the place. I felt resentment towards her. Denise had felt it too, she had started this, it was her baby and now it was taken away from her.

Sure she was hired initially to run the boys official website but eventually she started poking her nose where it didn’t belong, in other aspects of their careers as she began dating Howie. As if her relationship with him gave her more authority over us. But what can I say, as I said before, I never really fought for anything in my life and I wasn’t about to start a feud with her. As serious as Howie was about her, I figure I’d lose my job. And that was something I could not afford at the time.

“Listen, Howie and I have been discussing this for a while now and well, you know we were trying to find godparents for James and well, we thought you be perfect.”

What? Did I hear right? The comment took me by surprise.

“You want me to be your baby’s godmother, did I hear correctly?”

“Yes, you.”

“Why me?”

Of all the people they knew, I was more than stunned to hear that they wanted me to play such an important role in the firstborn’s life. Yes we may have started off in the wrong foot but through the years of working so close together, getting to know each other on a more personal level was inevitable. I had accepted her and the fact that her employment was essential for the boys careers. It turned out she wasn’t such a bad person after all. We’d become close friends even. So I guess it should not have come as such a shock to me but still, there were many other people more qualified for that job.

“Because Gracie, you’re a dear friend to me and Howie and we just love you and trust you.”

“Wow.” Was all I could say. That they would trust me with their child was flattering but I wasn’t sure it was the best idea those two have come up with. “Can I think about it?”

“Sure, you think, you think about it. Take all the time you need to think.” She said in a delighted tone.

“Why, so peppy, I didn’t say yes?”

“But you didn’t say no either. So that’s great.” She ran off leaving me there to process the information she’d just thrown at me.

I opened my bag carefully removing and inspecting my equipment and wondered if she had read my thinking about it comment as a yes. I hoped she wouldn’t be too let down when I told her no. I’d already made my decision when she’d ask me, but I didn’t have the heart to tell her just then. I said I’d think about only to buy me time to think about how I would tell her no. I’m not a heartless person, it’s just that I take the responsibilities of such a role serious and the truth is I can barely take care of myself. I don’t even think I’m responsible enough to hold the title of a mother. Which is why I haven’t had any children of own, that and I still haven’t found that special someone yet. And being godmother is kind of like a back up, stand in mother isn’t?

As I said, I still work for the boys, I can’t exactly say what I do. I do a lot of little things around here. A little of this, a little of that, but mostly I take photographs of the boys with the fans, of them backstage, behind the scenes goofing off, and when time permits, the occasional cup of coffee. When Leigh joined the team it took a load off of me and I found myself with more time on my hands, so I took up photography and enrolled into various courses. It had always been a hobby of mine and something I wanted to pursue. I’d finally gotten the chance to do that thanks to Leigh. I should send her a thank you note someday.

When the group took a much needed long break, I spent it perfecting my craft. It really paid off. Don’t get me wrong, the fan club bid was great fun but nothing compares to the satisfaction of making a living doing something you love.



“All set?” Jen asked, entering the empty space that would soon be filled with thousands of screaming girls- err, let me correct that, lots of screaming grown ass women who have from childhood lusted over these men. Nick, Brian, and Howie trailed behind her.

Nick was closer to my age and from the very beginning, he’s been a nuisance. He might have been cute and all that but he was a little terror. He still is and throughout all the years he has instigated more fights amongst the band than I can count on both my fingers and toes and everyone else's. Brian’s always been the most energetic one of the lot. The man has the power to light up anyone. He was the one who put a smile on my face when my grandmother died midway through the Black and Blue tour.

“Ready to go.” I answered.

The guys took their places behind the barricade. Looking through my camera, I adjusted the focus until I got the clearest view of my subjects. I noticed one of them was missing. As always he was late.

“Alright, where is AJ?” Jen asked. “I thought he was right behind us.”

“He was a minute ago.” Howie said.

“Great! We lost AJ.Again!” Jen shouted, on the verge of a meltdown. She always got like this when time was against us.

“I’m right here.” He said, strutting into the room like the sexy creature he thinks he is.

Alex and I have a history together. Not the kind of history you are probably thinking. We never dated, nor were we ever involved romantically or sexually. Eww! It was nothing like that. What we had was different. We had spent so much time at his house in the early days and had gotten to know each other well. We’d discovered that we had a lot in common and we developed a friendship. We’d had a lot of good times. Spent countless hours on the phone laughing about nothing. He’d tell me step by step every detail about rehearsals and auditions, the way he spoke about it, with such excitement, such passion, I could never get tired of hearing him talk. Most of the time I didn’t know what he was talking about, I’d just giggle. I guess he was the closest thing to a best friend I’d ever know.

But that was a long time ago. AS their popularity grew, so did their demanding schedule and our friendship began to diminish. We started seeing less and less of each other the more fame they acquired until it had just completely dissolved. He’s changed a lot since then. No longer the same person I used to know. We became strangers. It’s not something I dwell on anymore. Things just end, I’ve come to accept that. Friends come and go and you just take it and move on. I admit back then it hurt but the older you get, the more you learn that childhood friendships rarely ever make it to adulthood. I hold no resentment or ill feelings towards him.

“Bring on the ladies.” He grinned.

Typical AJ.
End Notes:
So there's the first part. Hope you liked it.
A Phone Call From Home by ajsbaby
Author's Notes:
Glad you guys are liking it so far. Here's chapter 2. I probably won't get to type out the other chapters I've got written down until after Christmas.
I don’t mean to repeat myself but I have a tendency to do so, so you will have to forgive me if I do. My mediocre life has been just fine, despite that by some people’s standards it may have been less than noteworthy. To me, it had been great. Almost perfect even. Almost, not quite, there are a few thorns in there that I would like to trim off. Keeping under the radar as much as I could meant smooth sailing, but all that was about to change. The trouble started two weeks before Thanksgiving when I got that cursed phone call from home that would have a domino effect.

I had just gotten to my hotel room after a long day of nonstop photos and running around. Everything that could have gone wrong did, from petty things like Nick getting a huge zit to more serious things like equipment malfunctions. Overall, it was a bad day for everyone and I was thankful it was finally over. I tossed my bag on the bed and kicked off my shoes ready to relax and forget about everything. I had a terrible headache and my feet were killing me. It was one of those days where they had me up and down and in circles. Everyone was going nuts, but the end result was worth it, it was a great show. I downed a couple of Advil and I was about to throw myself on the bed when I was startled by the ringing.

“Hello.” I mumbled.

“Gracie.” My mother’s voice full of enjoyment traveled from the other end. “I’ve been trying to reach you for the past couple hours but I keep getting sent straight to your voice mail.”

I was sprawled on the bed holding the phone to my ear. “Yeah I had it turned off while I was working.” I gathered it must have been important and if she didn’t leave it in a message it was something she wanted to tell me directly.

“Guess what?”

My brows furrowed, I wasn’t in the mood for guessing games. Luckily, I wouldn’t have to wait too long, this was my mother, she couldn’t hold in exciting news even if you paid her to and “guess what” was more like “shut up and pay attention, I got something to tell you.”

“Something wonderful has happened.”

“Mmm. What’s that?” I asked not really wanting to know.

“Your sister’s getting married. Can you believe that? Honey, you’re sister’s getting married, isn’t that great?”

Now I wish I really hadn’t known what this something wonderful has happened was. Wasn’t so wonderful to me.

“Really? Wow.” I said in a dull voice.

“You don’t sound so enthused. This is your sister, you should be happy.”

“I am mom, really.” I lied. “It’s just that I’m a little beat and well, frankly it’s a bit of a shock.”

“Oh, it’s not so much of a shock, Gracie. Sammie and Alvin have been serious for a long time now. I’m surprised it didn’t come any sooner. You’ll be at the wedding won’t you?”

“Yeah, I’ll see if I can’t make it.”

“Gra-”

“I’m joking, of course, I’ll be there.”

“Great! Um, you’re coming home for Thanksgiving aren’t you?”

“Yes mom, I told you I’d be there. The last show’s a week before so I’ll be there on time.” I’d already told her this a thousand times perhaps early signs of Alzheimer’s were beginning to show. Although I thought she was too young, but it was a possibility. She is rather forgetful.

“Great, your aunt Rita and uncle Roy are coming and we’re gonna need all the extra help we can get.”

“Aunt Rita and Uncle Roy.” I repeated. “Great.” I hadn’t see either of those two since I was eight. They weren't exactly the easiest people to get along with.

“And now we’ve got a wedding to plan. We have so little time to do it.”

“When’s the date anyway?”

“December 28.”

“Why so soon mom?” I asked is a suggestive tone. What was the rush? Why does anyone rush a wedding in the first place. Unless…

“Oh Grace, behave.” She was quick to pick up the insinuation.

“No really, why the rush?”

“Shut it Grace.”

“But mom…”

“Put a cork in it!”

I laughed.

"Okay, okay. I'll stop."

“I guess I’ll let you go now. Sammie and I are going to see about catering. So we’ll need to be up bright and early. Bye sweetheart. Get some rest, you do sound like you need it.”

“Alright, I will. Bye mom…hey mom.” I said before she hung up.

“Yes dear.”

“Have you noticed a bump on Sammie’s belly?”

I heard the line go dead and laughed. I always did love to mess around with my mother like that. It was just way too easy and too much fun.

I got up to set my phone to charge, switched off the light and got back into bed. I laid there processing the phone call. I know it was wrong of me and I felt a little guilty for not feeling as ecstatic as I should have, but the thought of my little sister getting married was a stab at the old ego. Samantha was barely twenty one and already she was getting married and I, on the other hand, was a year shy of thirty and I didn’t even have a steady man in my life. I think it was at that very moment that my biological clock began to tick.

I had already been dreading the holiday season and the thought of going home and spending it with family. Every year it was the same, all the relatives would be there and I would constantly be compare to Sammie throughout the entire stay. And bombarded with a million questions. Where’s your boyfriend? How come you never bring a man home? When are you getting married? You better hurry up before the train passes you by. Little Sammie’s going to beat you to it. And now it was happening. She was getting married... and I was alone.

I screamed into the pillow. How was I going to survive through the holidays. A whole month and a half a torture at the hands of my own blood? Shoot who needs terrorists when you’ve got family, right? I tossed and turned all night think about the horrors I was going to be subjected to, and thinking of ways to get out of it. I even contemplated faking my own death. I spent all night planning it in my head, all the details until I had convinced myself that I could actually pull it off.



The next morning I was dead tired, exhausted from planning my own death. I’d only gotten a couple of hours of sleep. I’d used an extra layer of cover up to conceal the dark circles under my eyes but it didn’t do much good. I still looked like crap. Today had gone a little better than yesterday, work wise, but nearing the end of the tour, everybody was burned out. We all just wanted to go home and be with our families, except me of course. I could of gone another month or two of work.

I helped Leigh pack up some of her and her family’s belongings while she changed James’ soiled diaper. That was the grossest thing I’d ever witnessed before. I think Leigh caught me making a face at the sight because she laughed at me. I was holding my breath and shoving things into their bags as quickly as possible so I could run out the room and breathe.

I let it all out once I was on the other side of the door and now that work and the stinky diaper situation was out of my head, thoughts of last night’s phone call came back to me. I had half a mind to go back in there and suffer the wrath of James’ dirty diaper just so that I wouldn’t have to think about it. I banged my head against the wall. What had seemed last night to be a brilliant plan, now was sounding redundant and childish. I laughed hysterically.

“You okay?” Leigh asked, holding James in one arm and shutting the door with her other hand. “You look like shit.”

“Yeah, well, I feel like it.” I muttered.

“God, Grace, if being godmother to my child is going to put that much stress on you, then just forget it.” She teased.

“No, it’s not that.” I walked down the hallway trying to locate the nearest exit. I needed to get out of there. Leigh followed. “It’s just that, I just have a lot on my mind last night that’s all.”

“And today as well, from the looks of it. You’ve been like a zombie all day. What’s going on?”

“I’m just really stressed out about visiting the family back home. I’m not looking forward to it, not one bit.”

“Yeah the holidays can get a bit stressful.”

“Tell me about it.”

“Just hang in there. It'll be over soon and in the meantime, if you need anything Grace, just let me know.”

“Nah, I’ll b alright. I just need a little downtime.”

Leigh’s face brightened up and for a moment I wished I could take back what I had just said. I knew that look she was giving me. It was the look she always gets when she has an idea. I could see the light bulb floating above her head. Unfortunately, Leigh’s ideas are never the best ones, at least not the ones that involve me.

“That’s perfect cause Howie said that they were talking about going out to get a bite to eat and having a couple of drinks to wind down. You should come with us.”

I don’t think Leigh quite understood that when I said downtime, I meant, me, alone, by myself.

“I don’t know Leigh.”

“Oh come on, it’ll be fun. It’ll get you mind off you family for a bit.”

I don’t think I’ve ever accepted an invitation before. I usually just keep to myself. Although Leigh was great, I just didn’t feel like I belonged there. But the idea of forgetting my family and my sister’s engagement even if just for a little while was too temping to pass. I thought about it for a minute and then I heard myself saying the words I never thought I’d say.

“Alright, I’ll go.”

“Alright, great!” Her expression showed just as much surprise as my own. “So we’ll meet you back at the hotel. Get ready and wear something nice.” She yelled as I walked out of the building and started for the parking lot. I braced myself for the masses of screaming fans that lingered outside. They weren’t here to see me but they still made it difficult for me to get to my ride.

~~~

The knock came about 3:00 am. I’d been having second thoughts about going to this little outing. It was just so late and all I wanted to do was crawl under my sheets and make up the sleep I’d lost the previous night, but it was too late. Leigh was already standing outside my door. I could hear her talking to Howie. Maybe I could pretend to be asleep. Yeah, that might have worked except knowing Leigh, she would have gone to fetch security to open my door and drag me out of bed, and then I’d be caught in the lie. I dragged my feet to the door and opened it.

“Hey, you ready?” She asked.

I wanted to say no but I just nodded. I regret agreeing to do this.

“Let’s go.”

I grabbed my purse and made sure I had my key in it, last thing I wanted to do was get locked out of my own room again.

“We’re going to meet everyone at the restaurant.” She said as we headed for the elevator. “They went off without us.” She cocked her head in her husband’s direction. “Somebody couldn’t find anything to wear.”

“Ha ha,” Howie said, rolling his eyes at his wife. “It’s really nice that you finally decided to come with us.”



I kept quiet most of the drive to the 24 hour diner Brian and Leighanne had selected, only speaking to answer any questions either of them had for me. Mostly though the car was filled with the two of them discussing their plans for the next week. Who’s family they were going to see and when. I watched them interact with each other. I always did love watching them together. They made a lovely couple. So did Brian and his wife, but Howie and Leigh, it was different with them. They weren’t as caramelized as the other couple, but they were still sweet. They would bicker constantly, but even amidst a fight, he would still open doors for her, still very thoughtful to each other. That was something I wanted for myself. I had to look away and concentrate on something else before I turned into a little green eyed monster.

Nick and Lauren had just arrived and were stepping out of the car when we reached the diner. They were nice enough to wait for us to go in. One look at me and he eyed Howie like he was questioning him about my presence. I didn’t see the look he returned to the 6 foot tall blonde, but his blue eyes turned back to me.

“Hey, Grace, What’s going on?”

“Nothing much. Leigh dragged me out here tonight.” I hoped that would answer his question.

“I see. Yeah she has a way of making people do things she wants them to do. And wait ‘till she starts playing matchmaker.”

“Carter! Hush. I don’t see neither you, nor Lauren complaining. You all should be thanking me for practically forcing you to date.”

“Ah, my wife, the matchmaker. Who needs match.com when you have my wife?”

“Howard!”

“What? You’re always in everybody’s business hon.”

“Whatever, let’s just go inside.” There was the little bickering I was talking about.

Through the window I could see Brian and his wife were already seated at a table with Alex. As expected they were all surprised to see me there. Lauren and Nick sat next to the Littrells while the Doroughs sat across from them, leaving me to sit beside Alex. It was a strange feeling to be so close to him now, but what was stranger was Ronnie was nowhere in sight. Alex and Ronnie had began dating a couple of months before the start of the tour and now nearing its end they seemed pretty serious about each other. She was always around him so it struck me as odd that she wasn’t there, but I didn’t want to ask. It just let it be.
End Notes:
Thanks for the reviews.
Conversation with a Ghost by ajsbaby
Author's Notes:
Happy New Year!! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.
I wasn’t very hungry; I just picked at the half eaten pancakes on my plate. I nervously tapped my foot as I waited for the inquisition to begin. I scolded myself for making things obviously much bigger than they were. Why did I always feel like everyone was out to get me? I guess my current situation had me a little on the edge, more than usual and sitting so close to Alex didn’t help matters. It was all just very awkward and I was beginning to regret coming. It had seemed like a good idea when I’d agreed to it at first, but now all wanted to do was just go back to my room and get away from it all, but mostly I wanted to get away from him.

The longer I sat there next to him, the more I thought about our old friendship, how things were, as opposed to how things are now. Hearing him joking around with his friends and laughing, sitting there so close to me without so much as acknowledging me was beginning to get to me. I know it shouldn’t have, after all, this had all become routine years ago, but for the first time since, I felt a little bitter towards him at that instant.

Halfway through the dinner, or should I say early breakfast it was Leighanne who slightly touched the topic I was hoping all night to avoid. “I was surprise when Leigh told us you were coming.”

“Yeah, well you know, it’s been a while since I’ve been out, it was well overdue.”

“Couldn’t agree with you more,” she said. “You really should come out with us more often.”

Okay, Leighanne was just a sweetheart, I really have no complaints about her, but she is just a little too sweet for my taste and she has a habit of trying to lend a helping hand even when it hasn’t been asked for. She means well but somehow it always ends up backfiring on her and the more she tries to fix things the worse they get. But you got to love her for it though, still I chose to maintain my distance.

I was expecting about a million other questions to surface after that comment but not a single one was mentioned. Which was weird and led me to wondering why? Why had no one asked? Was there something going on there, something that I was unaware of? As the paranoia settled, I began questioning if I just would have been better if they had. Perhaps Leigh had already enlightened them of my dilemma, or at least the part that I had told her of.

“Well, this past week has been really rough on us all.” Brian said. “That’s why I thought it would be great to get together one last time before the holidays.”

Huh, holidays.

“Tell me about it.” Huffed the voice beside me. I couldn’t help but take a peek at him. His eyes met mine but just for a brief second, he offered me a halfhearted smile and quickly cast his gaze on something else. I just as quick settled my own back to my plate and resumed fiddling with my food.

“Good thing it’s almost over.” Added Howie. “And soon we can all be with our families and just relax through the holidays.” He put his arm around his wife.

There it was again; that word. Obviously, Howie’s never been to my house during the uh- must I really say it? There’s nothing relaxing about the- um- yeah…let’s move on shall we?

“You know the first thing I’m going to do,” Leighanne wasn’t really asking if we cared to know, more like telling us, one thing she and my mom have in common. “Is give my mom a big hug and a kiss. I haven’t seen her in a while.”

Ah ughh. I was going to kill Leigh for talking me into this and then I was going to kill myself for allowing her to convince me to come here. How in the world was this in a way going to help me get my mind off the coming weeks and my fa- er- the people that share the same gene pool as me?

I gave the brunette a wicked smile and she look at me with her “I’m sorry” look.

“Leighanne, you’re such a sap.” Nick teased.

“No I’m not, not really.”

“Yes you are.”

Her eyes wondered around the table looking for confirmation.

“You are a little.” Brian delicately put it. “But I love that about you.”

“Am I really that bad?” Her voice was barely above a whisper. Brian patted her on the shoulder and gently kissed her forehead.

Alright, I couldn’t deal with this anymore. I needed a little breather. I slipped outside unnoticed to have a cigarette. As soon as I had, I felt an instant relief. The air was a bit chilly and with the exception of our party, a few other people in the diner and the occasional passing car, the place seemed isolated. I stared deep into the middle of nothing for a long time and I thought of nothing, not my sister getting married, not my mother pressuring me to settle down and find a good man-someone should tell her it’s not that easy, if it were, I would have long since settled. Nothing. My mind was completely blank and I was enjoying the moment of the silence. I’ve always like quiet nights like this, alone just me and the wind. It was a sense of total freedom, where I could just be, without the worry of being judged.

The sound of the door opening behind me interrupted my vacant thoughts. I turned around to see Alex strolling out, reaching for his pocket. He pulled out his pack of cigarettes and lit one up of his own.

“So.” He took a drag. “What made you made you decide to come tonight?”

Bam! There it was. The question I was dreading all night. And it figures, he just had to be the person to ask it.
“I know this wasn’t the first time Leigh’s asked you out, so I’m just a little curious…what made you come this time?”

“Oh you know, I just needed to get out for a bit. That’s all.” Wait-did he just say he knew she’d invited me out before?

Okay so now I’m confused. Up until now I was certain that I was nonexistent to him, now I’m finding out that he knew things about me that could mean either he and Leigh had been talking about me, or he’d paid attention to her discussing me with mostly like her husband. Either way it was a shock to me.

He stared at me. It freaked me out some because I couldn’t read him, it was kind of creepy and made me uncomfortable. I was inclined to do something to break away from it. And the only thing I could think of was:

“Where’s Ronnie?” That did the trick; he broke out of… whatever it was he was doing.

“Hmm?”

“I said, where’s Ronnie? I’m surprised she’s not with you tonight. That girl sticks to you like glue.”

He chuckled. “She wasn’t feeling well. Stayed back at the hotel.”

“Oh, I hope she feels better soon.”

“Yeah.”

An uncomfortable silence followed. I’m not really good at these kinds of things. I mean what am I suppose to say to a man that hasn’t spoken to me since we were kids? I had not a clue. Alex, on the other hand, has always been quite the talker, that’s what made it so unnerving, but the silence didn’t last too long.

“I’m really glad to see you again.” He said.

I laughed. “What are you talking about, you see me every day.”

“I mean- you know what I mean Grace. It’s nice to see you outside of work.”

“Oh, so you do remember my name?” I know I shouldn’t have gone there but I just couldn’t refrain.

“Of course, I remember your name; I only hear it like every day.”

I raised a questioning brow. The look on his face was priceless. It’s not too often that someone can embarrass this man, or make him blush.

“At work, and then Leigh’s always like Grace this and Grace that-” I wonder if he noticed the disappointment on my face because he stopped right there in mid sentence. “…and we were good friends once.”

“Yeah, once.” I tried too hard not to choke on my own words that they came out sounding cold, which had not been my intention.

I bit my cheek wanting so bad to correct it but how do you fix something like that without making a bigger fool of yourself? And yes he may have deserved that, he had that one coming for years, and I guess I should have felt better getting it off my chest, but somehow it didn’t feel as good as I thought it would. I had spent many nights, when I was angry with him, thinking of different ways to let him know how I felt, to make him feel just a sting of what I had felt, and now that I had, I didn’t feel so great. I thought I had gotten over the bitter part.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Don’t. Don’t apologize. I know I deserve that and so much more.” He threw his cigarette to the ground and turned it out with the sole of his shoe. “It’s alright.”

Then he walked back inside. I stood there alone again, only this time I didn’t feel that serene peace I had earlier. No, this time I felt like a complete ass. I should have just kept my mouth shut. I peeked, through the glass, at the party of eight, minus one, chatting and having a good time. I watched as Alex just laughed and smiled and carried on as if nothing had happened. Like it didn’t bother him at all, maybe it didn’t. Maybe once again, I was blowing things out of proportion, but I just felt so guilty and I couldn’t shake it off.

I really didn’t want to go back inside; I just stayed there out in the dark until it was time to go. I wasn’t surprised that Leigh was the first to step out. She must have noticed my absence.

“My goodness Grace, you’d think we were at a bar.” She said, noting all the cigarette butts on the pavement. “You really are stressing over this, aren’t you.”

And the prize for stating the obvious goes to…

“Just a little.”

“A little? What did you smoke the whole pack?” Her jaw widened when I said nothing in return. “You did, didn’t you?”

I said nothing. I wasn’t about to admit smoking the entire brand new pack but I wasn’t going to deny it either. I just shrugged.

“You know, chain smoking is bad for your health.” She informed.

“No, I wasn’t aware of that.”

“Gracie, I’m serious, smoking kills.”

“You think if smoked a pack or two a day, it would kill me before next week.”

She pulled me in and wrapped her arm around me, laughing as walked to the car. “Come on, kiddo.” She rubbed my shoulder, comforting me. “It’ll be alright. You’ll survive.”

I pouted like a kid. “I don’t want to go.”

“You wanna come home with me and Howie and visit all of our family instead?”

“Yes.” I answered childishly, we both laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Howie asked.

“Bye Leigh.” Nick yelled.

“Bye.” Lauren joined.

“Bye guys.”

“Bye Grace, it was nice having you.”

I waved back at the blonde and his girlfriend. “Thanks.”

I didn’t know why I was saying thanks or why we were saying goodbye like we weren’t going to see each other. Shit, we were staying in the same hotel. I guess Nick and Lauren had other plans, though I don’t know where they could possibly be going at this hour. Who knows, those two are weird. I guess Leigh knows what she's doing in the love department; she paired those two up just great.

“Nothing,” She said to her husband who was waiting for an answer. “It’s girl stuff. You wouldn’t know about it.”

“Awe, I know girl stuff. I can girl talk too, you know.” He said in a feminine voice.

“Shut it mister.” She snickered. “Always trying to get in other people’s business.”

“Yeah that’s funny coming from you honey.”

“Why does he always have to have the last word?” She said to no one in particular.

Tonight hadn’t gone quite how I expected but I guess it could have been worse too. I thought about Alex on the drive back to the hotel. Had I been a bitch to him? Lord knows I certainly didn’t mean to. Now how was I going to fix this? I had tried to say I was sorry but he hadn’t let me apologize and by the time we’d made it to the lobby I had decided, no, I was determined to speak to him. I was going to apologize and by God, I hoped he would accept it. I was going to march right up to him and tell him. Tomorrow.
End Notes:
Thank you guys so much for all the fabulous reviews! : )
Carter Strikes Again! by ajsbaby
Author's Notes:
Here's the new chapter. Hope you enjoy.
Tomorrow came earlier than expected. I had gone out the night before in hopes that I could release some stress and it was a complete failure. I had not been able to forget about anything. Now I was stressed more than ever. I woke up to a new day and nothing had changed. Things were still going as planned. My life was still in the shitter and now I had the Alex situation on my hands. I still hadn’t spoken to him yet.

I griped at the memory of the conversation that had taken place outside the diner. His comment had slightly moved me. He was glad to see me again. I couldn’t help but to think that night could be the beginning of rebuilding our friendship. I know I had moved on and come to terms with the fact that we’d grown apart but all said and even with all the time that’s passed, part of me still missed him. And for the first time I had felt a little hope that things would be the way they once had been.

Unfortunately, I had been completely mistaken. He had gone from missing me to hardly noticing me at all. Yep, things definitely hadn’t changed. But that was only my own damn fault. For the first time in ages, he had made an attempt to speak to me, to be nice to me, and I had unwittingly shut him down. I don’t care what he may have said, I think I still know him well enough to tell when something is up with him and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know that he had been bothered, even if it was just a little.

It wasn’t very easy to get him alone, that had been the first time and it would probably be another decade before an opportunity like that came along again. Fortunate for me the days following were a blur. With so little time left, hectic schedules, everyone was running around like chickens with their heads cut off. I’d hardly the time to think about Alex or my family. I’d always suffered from chronic headaches but the last couple of weeks of every tour, they always grew into full-blown migraines. And this year a good portion of them had Nick’s name all over it.

“Nick!” I yelled at the top of my lungs, scaring everybody in the room, including myself. “What the hell is this?” I held the box that I had found in my bag earlier. It had been addressed to me and had the blonde’s name plaster all over it in big red inked letters.
He laughed hysterically as if it were they funniest thing he’d ever witnessed. “An early Christmas present.” He smiled angelically. “I thought the snowflake wrapping paper would have been a dead giveaway on that.”

I was too angry to notice the shocked looks on the faces of Brian, Baylee, Howie and Leigh.

“Ha ha, very funny, you know what I’m talking about.”

Correction; some things had changed. Ever since that outing, Nick had done nothing but tease and pull nasty practical jokes on me. I suppose I’d been over reacting and I should have just seen the humor in it and laughed about it, but I’m not used to being the subject matter of this type of comical attention and I was at my wits end. At first when I had seen the gift I was touched that he would go all out of his way to buy me a gift, but when I’d ripped off the wrapping paper I’d lost it. The little prick had gotten me a voice box. Can you believe that? The nerve of him. Where do you even get those things? Amidst traveling and working, where would he have the time?

“Well, I thought you’d be needing it, with all the smoking you do and all. You and AJ both, it’s only a matter of time.”

“Arghh!” I threw the freaking thing at him. “I’m gonna kill you!"

He ducked just in time to avoid a collision; half a second of hesitation and it would have taken out one of his pretty little blue eyes, and then what would he have left to woo the ladies? I don’t know how Lauren puts up with that boy. Yeah I said boy-he’s a big kid trapped in the body of a huge ass man.

“Carter!” The door flung open hitting me right smack in the head.

“Ow. Fuck!” I yelped.

“Oh, shit I’m sorry.”

“Alright! Too much violence and foul language in here for us.” Brian said as he guided his son out of the room. “Trust me little man, you do not want to see this.”

“You alright?” Alex asked. He took me by the arm and helped me to the nearest seat, which gratefully was the farthest from Nick.

I peered into his brown eyes. “Uh-huh.”

“You sure you’re okay?” He questioned again before turning to meet the instigator. “Nick!”

I rubbed my head and noticed the object in his hand. “Looks like Nick strikes again.”

“This is all your fault.” He yelled at his friend. “What the fuck is this?” He flung the black object identical to mine at him. Thank the stars he had better am than I. It hit the left side of Nick’s head just below his temple.

“How the hell is it my fault you hit her with the door?” He asked, now rubbing his bright red ear.

“If you hadn’t given me that damn thing, I wouldn’t have come running in here and none of this would have happened?”

He listened attentively. I could tell he was thinking hard about it and then he said innocently, “yeah, I fail to see how any of this is my fault.”

Alex ignored Nick’s comment and turned his attention to me. “Are you sure you’re okay?” He asked once more.

“Yeah.” I answered. “I’ll live.” I took a glance at the prankster. “Thank you.” I whispered to Alex and turned my eyes back to him.

“For what?”

“For hitting him. I missed.”

He smiled. “What’d he do to you? Dare I ask?”

“Well from the looks of it, he got us a his and hers set.” I lifted my head pointing to the other voice box that rested a few inches away from its twin.

“I see.” He nodded and stood up. “Well, in that case, you are very much welcome.” We stared into each other’s eyes.

“Whatever!” Nick hollered. “I don’t have to take this. I try to do something nice for you two and this is the thanks I get. A concussion.”

Alex rolled his eyes. “It was hardly a concussion, Carter, but in a about a minute, you’re really gonna get your concussion.” He said calmly.

“Sheesh, such violence, people. You two would make a good couple, you know that.”

Alex glared at him venomously. Nick did good running for the door before Alex made good on his promise.

It was only after Nick had left that I realized the room had been cleared. I thought I’d take this opportunity to get it off my chest, what had been bothering me.

“Hey, Alex.” I said softly.

“Yeah.”

“I need to talk to you for a minute.”

“Uh sure, what’s on your mind?”

“About the other night. When I said…I didn’t really mean-”

“AJ! We gotta go, come on. We’re all waiting on you.”

Jennifer is a nice girl, we’re not the best of friends but I do get along with her. But I despised her that second for interrupting, but duty calls. I couldn’t be selfish and cause any more delay. It would have to wait.

“Alright Jenn, I’m going.”

She stood in the doorway waiting.

“I said I’m going!”

“Fine! Hurry up!” She looked at me, then back at him, threw her arms up, and walked away.

“Grace, can this wait ‘till after the show?” He looked at me with pleading eyes.

“Yeah sure, go.”

“Um Grace? It’s alright, really. I know you didn’t mean anything by it.” He said right before he left.

“What exactly did he mean by that?” I heard a voice say after he disappeared.

“Huh? What?” In popped the all too familiar figures. “You know Leigh, it’s bad manners to eavesdrop.”

“I don’t make it a practice to eavesdrop but it’s not my fault if you guys were talking loud.” She said, carrying James in her arms.

“We were not?” I defended. I was certain we hadn’t.

She nodded with a smile on her face. “Loud enough.”

“Yeah, loud enough for someone who was eavesdropping to hear.”

“Fine eavesdropping whatever. What’s going on with you and Alex?” She plopped down on the couch next to me, more than eager to hear the gossip.

“Nothing’s going on with me and Alex.” I shivered.

“Cold?”

“No, just the suggestion of something between me and Alex creeped me out.”

“Haha.”

We sat there in silence together. Me rubbing my head still and her watching me rub my head.

“He really banged you up good didn’t he?”

“Yeah somewhat.” In more ways than one and no I don’t intend that to be a sexual innuendo, but my heart had been bruised in the past by his hands and I think that was just beginning to manifest.

“Here, why don’t you hold James and I’ll go get you some Tylenol and an ice pack or something?”

“Okay.”

I was a little uncomfortable holding him, babies just don’t like me but it sure beat talking about Alex. I held the baby in my arms. The feeling was a little strange, the fear of being in care of a whole life was enough for me to shy away from having any of my own, but as I sat there with him, waiting for his mother, he looked at me with his little brown eyes identical to his father’s. His tiny hands gripped around my finger. He looked very much like an angel. I’m not sure where or when the shift occurred inside of me but the longer I sat there with him, the more I found myself pondering what it would be like to have a little one of my own and to tell you the truth, the idea wasn’t half bad.

Thankfully, the sound of James gagging brought me out of my head. Out, shot streams of chunky white, melted cottage cheese looking baby vomit.

“Uh, God.” I gagged and tried to hold down the contents of my own stomach. “Leigh!” I yelled. “Come get your nasty baby.”

“What, what happed?” She asked holding a bottle of Tylenol in one hand, a towel and a bottle of water in the other.

She stepped in close enough to get a better look, but I’m sure she already had a good idea of what happened.

She burst out laughing. “It’s just a little baby vomit. It won’t kill you.” She dropped the Tylenol and the water on the couch. “Here.” She stretched out her arms, the well-known common sign for hand me the infant. I was more than happy to oblige.

“This was supposed to be for your head.” She handed me the wet towel.

I wiped off the baby vomit. “Ahh. Cold, cold, cold.”

“You alright?” She asked, referring to the vomit.

“I will be once it’s all gone.”

“Sorry about that, but babies will do that.” She said.

“Yeah.” Thank you, James. I was reminded why the thought of having kids repulsed me.

I took the bottle of Tylenol, emptied two tablets into my hand, and chugged them down with the water while she cleaned up the baby.

“Well then,” she said, now satisfied her son was clean enough she laid him beside her, “tomorrow’s the last day.”

“Ugh, yeah, don’t remind me.”

“Do you have any plans for tomorrow?” She played with her son’s feet, jiggling them around and then planting little kisses on the bottom footsies of his onesie.

“Aside from working? No.” I fanned my shirt, trying to air dry the wet spots.

“I was thinking before work maybe we could do something. Just the two of us.”

“I don’t know if I’ll have the time. What’d you have in mind?”

“I thought we could go shopping or the spa or something, you know girls’ day out. You’re not needed until after six, I checked with Jenn and I’ll have you by the arena long before then.” Looks like she had everything covered.

“I don’t know.”

“Come on, it’s Vegas! You need to go out and have a little fun. You have to, it’s a must.”

“It’s not like I haven’t been to Vegas before.” I explained. In fact, I’d been to the city numerous occasions with the boys.

“Yeah but you were always either preoccupied with work or locked up in your hotel room. You’ve never really experienced Vegas.”

I tried to come up with something to say to that but she got me there. I hadn’t so much as left the hotel other than work related outings. I guess it would be nice to get out and actually see what Vegas has to offer. My sister always teased me about it. She always said, “You’re the only person I know that’s been to Vegas and doesn’t know squat about what’s there.” And Leigh and I had both been too busy that we hadn’t spent much time together the past few weeks, it would be nice to have some alone time with her, to catch up on things.

“Alright. But what if the guys need-”

“Stop right there!” She interrupted. “They are big boys, I’m sure they can manage on their own.”

“Alright, then.” I said in defeat.

“So it’s a date then?”

I chuckled. “Yeah.”

“What’s so funny?” She asked.

“Nothing, it’s just… that’s about as much action I’ve had in a long time.”
End Notes:
Thanks again for reading and for the awesome reviews.
The Last Day-Girls Day Out! by ajsbaby
Author's Notes:
So here is the new chapter. Grace and Leigh get a little more intimate here.
I woke up early the next morning first stop, my best friend, the shower. Well second best friend, the title of the former still belonged to my bed. And not this hotel one but my own at home. Although by standards, the hotel provided mattresses superior to my own, something about the familiarity and the fact that it was mine made it all the more appealing. I ran the water and took a look at myself in the mirror before hopping in.

“How did I end up here?” I asked the image staring blankly at me and not literally but mentally and emotionally.

How? I had been more than satisfied with my life and now suddenly things that I was content with were no longer good enough for me. I felt empty somehow, like something was missing. I stood in the shower enjoying the soothing hot water trying to figure out what that was.

The good thing about keeping a busy schedule is that it leaves no room to dwell on things too long. As long as I kept myself moving I would be fine. Before I knew it, I was dressed and walking down the hall to the Doroughs’ room. I knocked gently and in less than a minute Howie opened the door.

“Grace. Good morning.” He greeted.

“Morning.” I saw his wife tending to the baby, fixing his bottle and getting his things ready. She was surprised to see me there.

“Ready?” I asked.

Did I hear myself correctly? Usually it was Leigh that came knocking on my door looking for me, but now it was I asking her if she was ready. This was not natural; it goes beyond and defies the flow of the universe.

“Yeah.” She said all chipper. She grabbed her purse. “You sure you’ll be alright?” She asked her husband.

I don’t know why she asked him this. James was his son and he had taken care of him alone before but I guess that was just natural for a mother to worry about those sorts of things.

“We’ll be fine. Besides if things get to busy Leighanne and Baylee offered to look after him, remember?”

Ain’t that a picture to envision, Baylee taking care of an infant, although when you think about it, he might do a better job than me. Maybe they should make Baylee his Godfather instead of me.

“That’s right.” She kissed little James on the forehead and whispered to him, “Mommy will be back soon.”

The little sentiment tugged at my heartstrings and I felt compelled to look away when she kissed Howie good-bye, not out of disgust. It was a tender moment that perhaps was best left private, and it seemed like I was intruding on it. I wanted to give them that privacy so I excused myself and waited for her outside. I envied her a little. She had the life that I didn’t know I had wanted. And as much as I denied it to myself, it was becoming more and more evident with every passing minute. It wasn’t a greedy envy, but a thankful one, thankful that at least she had what I had been denying myself. It made me wonder how some people so easily accept the very things that others fight hard to prevent.

“Okay, all set.” She came prancing out of the room. “You know you didn’t have to leave.”

I just smiled at her. “I know, but it felt like the right thing to do.

“What’s wrong with you?” She touched my forehead with the back of her hand. “Are you feeling okay?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

“I don’t know.” She looked at me suspiciously. “You’re all smiles today. That’s not like you.”

I laughed and then she threw the old classic line at me. “Who are you and what have you done with my friend?”

“Oooo-kay, Miss Body Snatchers, let’s go.”

“No seriously Grace, I haven’t seen you like this in years. This… jolly, I like it.”

“Shut it; let’s go before Miss Jolly strangles you.”

“Okay now there’s a little of the Grace I’ve become accustomed to.”

“…and Howie has to explain to baby why he doesn’t have a mother.”

“Okay…that-that’s enough.”

“Went too far?”

“Yes.”

We both laughed down to the elevator.

That kind of attention usually made me want to crawl back into my hermit shell, it was the reason why I let grumpy shine through most of the time, but today it only made me laugh. I guess I was looking forward to this “girls’ day out”, as Leigh had so ingeniously put it, more than I thought I was.

~

Our first stop, Leigh had insisted was the spa. She had been so adamant about it.

“In order to effectively reap the benefits of Vegas, one needs to be properly cleanse and purified of the outside negative influences that effect the mind, body and soul, and that, my friend, starts with a full aroma therapeutic body message.” She claimed as we stood in front of the spa.

I looked at her unconvinced. “Right.”

When her long philosophical explanation didn’t work, she added, “that and I already made us an appointment.”

“Okay, lead the way Mrs. Miyagi.”

“Boy you are quite the comedian today aren’t you?”

We walked in the main lobby of a very fine spa. Kudos to Leigh for picking such a place. I wouldn’t even know where to begin finding an establishment like this. I looked on in amazement; words can’t even begin to describe this place. Everything was so shiny. It was beautiful but the fact that I could see my own reflection in almost everything was a little creepy. I looked around while my companion confirmed our appointment.

“Dorough.” She said to the nicely dressed receptionist.

“Yes, Mrs. Dorough right this way.” I heard her say as I poked my head around the corner.

I’d heard the sound of streaming water but I hadn’t imagined what I was seeing before me. A waterfall, who puts a waterfall in a spa?

“Come on.”My friend said.

“Leigh.” I whispered. “Is that a waterfall?”

“Yes.” She laughed.

“Who puts a waterfall in doors?” I didn’t dare touch anything and not wanting to dirty even the floor, I tiptoed all the way to the room the woman had led us to. Leigh laughed at me for doing this. It just didn’t feel right to place my entire dirty shoes on such a pretty surface.

Inside there were two massage tables surrounded by more waterfall replicas. I leaned into the woman standing by my side. “Where did you find this place?”

“A friend recommended this place to me a few years ago, and I loved it, come here every time we’re in Vegas. It’s very popular place and you need to book at least three months in advanced, sometimes more.”

“So you made this appointment three months ago?” I asked.
“No, of course not.”

“Oh, okay, I was going to ask how you-”

“I made it as soon as the Vegas shows were confirmed.”

Now I had to ask. “And what made you so certain that I would come with you?”

She just looked at me with a little smirk. Oh, she’s good. I told you before; Leigh has a way of getting people do things she wants them to.

~

“Mmm.” I moaned as I felt the fingers touch my aching muscles.

“Oh, honey, you’ve got a lot of knots.” Said the therapist. “When was the last time you had a massage.”

“I’m afraid I never have.”

Leigh laughed aloud. I’m sure she was envisioning the look on the woman’s face. “How can you go through life not ever experiencing a massage?”

“That’s what I’ve been telling her all these years but she won’t listen to me.”

“I know.”

I hate to say it but Leigh was right, it felt wonderful. I tried hard to keep quiet but the sounds kept escaping from my mouth. I don’t think I’ve ever moaned this much even at the hands of a man, much less another woman. I had a feeling there was something on her mind, something she wanted to ask me, but she never said anything. She just let me enjoy my first massage in peace. I thank her for that. Minus the moaning, the ooohs and the ahhs, the rest of the session was quiet.

After the massage, we enjoyed fancy pedicures complete with a nonstop supply of champagne, though we didn’t drink more than half a glass each. Leigh warned that alcohol, before or after a massage was not the best combination nor did she recommend it.

“It gets you drunker, faster.”

“Really?” I had never heard of anything like that, but then again, I’ve never had a massage before so I wouldn’t know, would I?

“Yeah. A friend of mine, who was a massage therapist, told me that once. I don’t really remember why. Something about the blood circulation, I don’t know.”

We hailed a cab after we walked out of the spa. Now freshly relaxed and looking fabulous with our pedis and manis and don’t forget the amazing job the ladies did with our makeup, armed with credit cards, it was time to hit the stores. I’m not one to splurge my money. I’d much rather save it for emergencies, but hey, I had never pampered myself and I think it was about time I did. I’ve earned it. A little shopping spree once won’t hurt, will it?

“So how’s your week been?” Leigh asked.

“You mean aside from the grueling work and Nick constantly torturing me?” I joked.

“Ha ha. Yeah.”

“Alright I guess.”

I had tried on a couple of dresses, it had been a while since the last time I wore a dress. I’m not a tomboy or anything. I am a girl and I do love girly things, the makeup, the shoes all of that nice stuff, hell back home I have a collection of teddy bears and plushies guarding my bed. I just had no reason to wear a dress since Leigh’s wedding. It felt nice to wear one. I fell in love with a red mid length one that hung on the wall. It was absolutely gorgeous and I had to have it, but it came with a gorgeous price too. One that I could not afford.
I concentrated on the ones that I could that were just as pretty although they hadn’t capture me the way red did.

“You know Grace, Nick only picks on you because he likes you. That’s his form of approval. His way of accepting you into the club.”

“You mean, like an initiation?”

“I guess you could call it that.” She laughed as we made our final selections and headed for the check out. “But he doesn’t mean any harm but it. He’s only letting you know that you’re in with him. Thought it is a strange way to show someone, but come on, this is Nick. He’s not exactly a full grown man, he’s…Nick!”

The cashier rang up my buy, two dresses, a few pants and the tops to go with them, and of course no outfit is complete without shoes and a purse. The total hurt my pocket but I had to remind myself that I deserved it. I dug into my bag for my credit card. I would pay for this later but I didn’t care.

“Oh no, no, no.” Leigh pushed me aside. “It’s all going to be together.” The clerk nodded and began scanning her items.

“Leigh, no.”

“Don’t worry Grace I got this.”

“Leigh?”

“Really?”

“But-but it’s too much, I can’t-”

“Relax, Howie told me to. He gave strict orders and said they were not negotiable.”

“What?”

“Yeah, he told me to tell you that you were not to pay for anything and that you should consider this a Christmas gift and a thank you.”

“A thank you?” She nodded. “For what?”

“For getting Nick off his back. You know that boy’s been troubling him for years and he was glad that finally someone could get his attention off of him. Howie knows firsthand how easily Nick can drive someone up the walls; said you deserve it-some pampering, I mean.”

“Oh really? Well in that case…” I turned to the cashier, “I’ll take that dress on the wall.”

“Which one?” She asked.

“The red one.” I pointed out to it and bothh she and my shopping partner leaned over to look at the dress I was talking about.

“Yeah, I thought I saw you eyeing it. It’s gonna look great on you.”

“And tell Howie I said he’s an ass, but thank you and he’s welcome.”

~

Hunger kicked in about an hour into our shopping spree. Leigh treated me (or should I say Howie did) to lunch at this awesome restaurant that served Indian food. I’d never had Indian food but I heard it was great. I let Leigh take the reins on this one. I had no clue what to order. It was just like her to have me try something new, just like she had with the sushi in 2005 when we were in Japan. I’ve never cared too much for fish and the thought eating it raw was repugnant, but she made me try it and at first I’d found the taste a bit odd but now I love it and could it every day. Therefore, I trusted her and expected I would enjoy this meal as well.

She ordered the Tandoori Chicken and something called Kabuli Naan, which I had no idea what it was, but I heard her say chicken (the only word that I did understand) and told the waiter I’d have the same. We sipped on champagne while we waited for our food. I wondered if it was okay now to have some now, but I figured Leigh wouldn’t have ordered them if it wasn’t safe. When the waiter came with our dishes, I thought hey this isn’t so bad. It did look appetizing; it looked like, well, like chicken. I don’t know what I was expecting to see. Halfway into our meal, which I must say was quite tasteful, I found myself asking her something I had always wondered about.

“How did you and Howie fall in love? I mean how did you know he was the one? How did it all happen?”

“Are you sure you really want to know? It’s a sappy story. Sure you can handle on the mushy stuff?”

“I think I can manage, lay it on me.” I said bravely.

She chuckled. “I’ll give you the short version and I’ll try not to make you throw up, wouldn’t want to insult the chef now, would we?”

“Of course not. I’ll do my best to keep the chunks down.”

“Well, it was…unexpected. I signed on for a job…” Of course, that part I knew. “I didn’t expect to find love, especially not with him. I started traveling with them as you know and at first, it didn’t start off as anything more than a professional relationship. But one night in Rio, I had gone to a nearby café to have a cup of coffee and a piece of pie. Somehow, I’d managed to get some of that apple pie in my hair and I was wiping it off when Howie came in. He saw me there asked if he could join me.
‘I could use the company,’ I said.

He ordered himself a latte and took the seat next to me.

‘What are you doing up so late?’ He asked.

‘I couldn’t sleep.’

He looked at me, down at the table and then back at me. ‘So you thought a cup of coffee would help you?’

We laughed. ‘It’s decaf.’

‘Oh. Well that’s okay then.’

We stayed there talking until four in the morning when we thought we should call it a night. I was tired and didn’t think I would have any trouble sleeping. On our walk back to the hotel, it started raining. We ran until we found shelter in an alleyway with two building roofs blocking the water. We’d planned on staying there until the rain let up a bit. It was a small space, he stood behind and put his arms around me to keep me warm and out of the water. It was nice, just being there hearing the drops fall down, romantic even.

‘Your hair smells like apples.’ He said.

I angled myself so that I could look at him. His smile was breathtaking, then my eyes met his and in them, I saw what I hadn’t seen before. I turned my whole body around to face him. He held me tighter. I rest my head on his shoulder and I whispered, ‘I feel like a kid again. Outside, playing in the rain, as children we spend so much time, but as we grow up and become adults we forget what it feels like to dance in the rain.’

‘Let me remind you.’

He took my hand and led me into the pouring rain…and we danced. We just danced.”

The look in her eyes told me that she still remembered that day vividly and would so for the rest of her life.

“I didn’t even know he was interested. You see, I was just like you Grace, bitter, scorned with no ambition, no drive. I was so wrapped up in my own self pity that I’d been blind to what was there in front of me, I hadn’t notice the signs, but that night something occurred, something changed inside of me, it was like I had just been born.”

I was in awe after hearing her story, so much that I couldn’t even eat anymore. The waiter came and discarded our plates. “Will that be all for you ladies?” He asked.

We nodded and he left the bill on the edge of the table.

“You know what the killer part is?” She grabbed the black book without even noticing the white paper it held; slipped her credit card inside and placed it back where the waiter had left it.

“Hmm?”

“Is that I when I finally did get to my room, I couldn’t sleep.”
End Notes:
Hope you guys liked it, and as always than you all for the great reviews!
Pour Me....another one... by ajsbaby
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long delay. As some of you might know, my husband and I were in the process of moving out from a tiny little apt. that we shared with our three cats to our very first home. So I was out of internet and time to update. Mostly everything is taken care of, we are nice and settled.

Now with that out of the way, I bring you the latest chapter. Hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.


Spending the day with my good friend was both refreshing and enlightening. I was still in awe about her story. Having stood on the outside watching their love unfold I’d always thought that it was something that had happened instantaneous. You think you know someone. I just can’t believe I’d never heard the story before, of course I’d never asked.

I had such a fun day with her that I dreaded the ride back to the venue. Leigh had left strict instructions to have all of our purchases delivered the proper rooms. I knew you could do things like that; I just never witnessed it before. When you have money, all things are possible. The day had also been a revelation of the two different worlds we belong to and it left me pondering how two women from two different social classes could remain such good friends. We had started on the same platform and I viewed her as someone more tangible, even though I disliked her at the start, but the walls came down, the claws retracted and the borders were crossed. I’d been distracted by crossing the line from foe to friend that I never really notice the transformation. How Leigh had graduated and been promoted to a higher rank on the social ladder. I was just begining to notice it now.

The last day of any tour is always the craziest. Pranks galore all around, it is a tradition that they have kept since the start of their careers and you can be certain that Nick anticipates this day from the second they hit the road. He aches for this day and sometimes as you already know, he can’t wait and lets a few slip out. It gets harder for him to contain himself the closer we get to the end. It is in those days that I love to watch him, I am reminded so much of Bevis and Butthead during these days. Specifically Beavis, when he is on a sugar rush and becomes the great cornholio asking around for T.P. for his bumhole, trembling and shaking from a sugar high; that’s Nick, yearning for the last day so he can fully unleash the prankster that lives within him and AJ’s doesn’t stay too far behind either. He bears his share of responsibility to the most insane night. I’ve quietly dubbed those two as Beavis and Butthead- AJ’s Butthead of course. Leigh’s the only other person who knows of the nicknames I’ve given them.

I feared that Nick would be out to get me bad tonight so I kept my guard up. I was beginning to wish he hadn’t accepted me into the “gang”. But he didn’t attack me like I thought he would. Not as bad anyway, he did glue the lens cover to my camera, but that was it. His main focus tonight had been the rest of the band members. There was some soft mushy stuff ( I don’t really want to know what it was) that he put in Howie’s shoes that made a squishy sound every time he stepped down on it. Even Lauren and Bailey were not exempt from his attacks, though he took it easy and tamed the beast a bit for them. He gave Bailey a stick of fish flavored gum. Not one of his most original ideas, he’d given their former tour manager one in the early days, so it was nothing new but Bailey thought it was genius and had suckered Nick out of a stick for himself. He ran over to his father offering the newly acquired stick of gum. Of course, Brian knew what it was but he still took it and unwrapped the foil paper. He put it in his mouth and braced himself for the foul flavor he knew he would taste. Bailey laughed as his father made some of the funniest faces he’d ever seen. “Eeeww. Bailey.” He said pretending that he had been completely unaware and the little replica of himself smiled in triumph.

I have to say the funniest moment of the evening was when he glued AJ’s microphone to the stand. Nick almost laughed his balls off when he saw AJ’s face as he tried to remove it from the clip. Still singing he turned to the blonde devil and gave him the look, only succeeding to make Nick laugh even more, missing his cue. I watched him try to rip the mic off. He held down the stand with one hand and tried to pry it with the other, when that didn’t work, he tried again only this time he placed his right foot at the base and used his weight to pin it down. There were a few laughs in the crowd. He gave up after the third unsuccessful attempt. I watched in amusement as he struggled to maneuver the stand and his movements when the dance sequence came on. The evil little girl inside of me took delight at the sight. This has to be my favorite day of all, the longs hours, the traveling, the demanding schedules, it’s all worth it to see this night. Watching them have fun and being goofy, it brings a different feel to the environment, everyone is always happy on that final day. Even I couldn’t keep myself from smiling.

But sadly all good things must come to an end.



~



Back in my hotel room, I received another phone call from my mother asking if I’d be joining them.

“Yes mom, I told you like a million times already, I’ll be there. My flight leaves tomorrow morning.”

I don’t know what it is about her, why she keeps asking me this. After all these years, she still hasn’t learned that when I say I’m going to do something, I do it. Mothers, huh?

That was all it took, another damn phone call. I’d spent all day feeling rejuvenated and actually very chipper. I had a great time, one of the best days of my life, and one little tiny phone call dampened it all. She kept mentioning Sammie’s wedding and how much fun we were all going to have planning it. I wished she would stop; doesn’t she know that she’s torturing me with all this marriage stuff?

After my little chat with my mother, which I did my best to cut short, citing exhaustion and that I had to be up early for my flight, I walked down the hallway and hopped in the elevator. I pressed the button for the first floor and made my way to the bar. I know, alcohol is not the answer, it solves nothing and only brings more complications, but screw it, we’ve all been there a time or two. Stop me if I lie.

I sat on the bar stool and leaned onto the counter with my elbows resting on the cool surface and waited for the nicely dressed man to come over. “What can I get you, Miss?”

“A shot.”

He nodded. “Tequila?”

“Yes.”

The days leading to this night I had been invited again to join them for lunch, for dinner, for a night out not just by Leigh but now Nick and Lauren as well but I respectfully declined every invitation. Seeing Alex outside of work environment really pissed me off. I kept thinking about the night outside of the diner, how dare he raise my hopes up like that and then crush them. And we never did speak after the show, like he said we would. Jackass! I emptied the contents of the small glass the bartender had filled for me. I felt the surge of heat travel down my throat.

Maybe the person I should really be mad at is myself, maybe I’d read things the wrong way. Maybe he’d only been trying to be polite, but I could have sworn that night, standing outside in the parking lot while everyone else finished their meals, I had seen a hint of the old Alex. My Alex, that’s what I called him. That kid I would stay up late at night with watching re runs of Mr. Ed and Green Acres, that was my Alex.

As I drank another shot and another and another I was becoming more convinced than ever that he was gone forever. The more I drank the more I was convinced that was the plain and simple truth. It was as if my best friend had died and I was just now facing the reality of it. I took another shot of tequila and began sobbing. I was blaming Alex for all of this and that wasn’t fair. It wasn’t just him that had me in a mess right now. It was everything. It was him. It was Sammie. My mother, my family, the wedding, Thanksgiving, Christmas, my thirtieth birthday nearing the corner. My sister and her perfect wedding, mom always trying to shove a husband down my throat. I had enough of it! I asked for another shot. I held the glass to my lips and pictured it all. God, I’m alone.

“Whoa, whoa, slow it down.” I heard a voice say.

I looked up and saw Alex standing there. Now he’s gonna lecture me about drinking? Really? I don’t think so. I forced the fluid down my throat and looked at him in triumph. A silent fuck you. He cocked his head to the side and looked at me with eyes I hadn’t seen before. As if he knew what I was going through that moment. As if he had been there before. I felt exposed now and I wasn’t liking the feeling. He sat down on the stool beside me and nodded.

“Can I get you anything?” The bartender asked him.

“Yeah, I’ll have what she’s having.”

“Should you really be drinking?” I questioned.

I could see him thinking about it. “Fuck it. Why not? Fuck it all.”

That was when I realized that he looked as bad as I did. Perhaps I’d been wrong. Maybe he hadn’t been where I was at, maybe he was there now.

“We’re getting shit faced tonight Gracie. You and me, pumpkin. On me.”

I laughed. He was about three or four shots too late for that. I was already pretty messed up.

Maybe it’s wrong of me, but that night was turning out to be the best night I’d had in a long time. Again I was feeling like I had my Alex back. We sat there chatting away like we were old friends. We were technically, but it felt like we hadn’t missed a beat, laughing the night away.

“Maybe we should head back.” I suggested. “Ronnie’s probably worried sick about you.”

He swallowed a big gulp of beer. “Nah, I highly doubt that.”

“Right, she’s probably gonna come marching down here any minute now and rip off our heads. You for drinking and me for not stopping you. Where is she anyway? I haven’t seen her much.”

To think about it, I hadn’t seen her at all this past week.

“She sticks to you like-”

“Like glue, I know, you’ve mentioned that before.”

He remembered. It felt kind of good to know that he remembered what I said and it even felt better that he remembered that night. He hadn't just brushed it off. Speaking of that night, Alex had said she was sick. I started wondering if it could be something more serious and if she had seen a doctor.

“Yeah, you won’t be seeing her anymore either.”

“Why is that?”

We broke up; she went back home.”

“When?” Okay I didn’t know this girl well but she had seemed like a nice girl and they looked like they were happy. Never did I see any signs that there might have been trouble. I know I don’t hang around them every day but I can usually tell when one of Alex’s relationships is going south, we all can. He's pretty transparent, but this one he hid well.

“In Atlanta, the night before the diner.”

“That’s why she wasn’t there?” He looked down at the counter and nodded. “You said she was sick.”

“Yeah she was, sick of me apparently.”

“Oh, Alex, I’m really sorry about that.” I didn't know if I should ask more about it or just let it go. I didn't want to pry and I know I sure as hell didn't want to talk about what was eating at me.

He ripped his eyes away from the counter and looked up into the air, staring at nothing. “Hey, remember that time you broke your mom’s vase?”

“The one my grandmother gave her… that belonged to my great grandmother?”

“Yeah that one. You came over to my house and I help you put it back together with crazy glue. Dude you were scared shitless, you thought she was going to murder you.”

“Yeah I remember that.”

“Hey, did she ever find out?”

“If she did, she never said anything. I mean she had to have noticed it, we did a piss poor job putting it back together, but she still to this day hasn’t said anything.”

Conversation dropped for a mintue and there was an uncomfortable silence. I fiddled with my glass of rum and coke that I was now sipping. We shared a few a awkward glances. I felt a wave of relief when he broke the silence.

“So you know why I’m here. Why are you here?”

I clenched on to my glass and squirmed in my seat.Not quite the topic I had in mind. I was hoping I could get through this night without having to do this.

“It’s late. I think we should call it a night.” I stood from the bar and as I turned to walk away, he grabbed my arm.

“Don’t go Gracie.” The sound of his voice, saying my name, almost pleading with me, made me stop.

“Don’t go, please, not yet.” I just stared at him, dumbfounded. “I miss you, Grace. I miss my friend. I want her back, I know I’ve made some poor choices in the past that tore us apart but I want what we used to have.”

So did I. I wanted it so bad, I just never realized before how bad I wanted it, or how much I had missed him. I sat back down and took a really big gulp of my drink.

“My sister’s getting married.”

“Sammie?!” His eyes widened.

I nodded.

“Little Sammie, I can’t believe it.”

“Yes, well, believe it. Samantha’s getting married to her perfect boyfriend Alvin. Sam. Sammie! My sister. My little sister is getting married and I don’t even have a boyfriend. I haven’t even dated in a long time much less have someone serious in my life. And then I have to go see them for the holidays where I know all that anyone’s going to talk about is Sammie getting married. Samantha this, Samantha that, and hey Gracie, look you’re little sister can do it, you can do it too. Well fuck Samantha and her chipmunk fiancée!”

Since the night I had received the news, I’d kept it all bottled inside of me. It had been tormenting me somewhat and now in one moment of desperation, I had let it all out. And to the person I had least expected to.

Alex just sat there quietly, letting me rant until I was blue in the face. I could feel the tears fighting to seep out but the last thing I wanted was to cry in front of this man. He watched me attentively. I’m not sure what was going through his mind at that point but I was beginning to regret my little outburst. He must think I’m nuts.

He reached over and gave me a sympathetic pat on my hand before grabbing in tightly. He looked into my eyes again and with a straight face he said, “His name is Alvin?”

His eyebrows furrowed.

I let out half a chuckle and nodded.

“Two more shots of tequila over here.” He hollered at the bartender. “I think you need a couple more.” He said to me and slid them towards me after the tiny glasses had been filled.

I had been drinking prior to Alex’s arrival, I didn’t think I could manage shoving those two down my throat. “No. I can’t, you drink that one. You need it too.”

“Nah, I think you need it more.”

“No seriously Alex, I know my limit and think I reached it about three drinks ago. Or four but who’s counting?”

“Alright then, here’s to life and all the fucking bullshit it throws at us. Fuck it all!”

“Yes! Fuck it all!”




~




Alex had to help me out of my seat and I had to lean against him for support with a firm grip around my waist he guided me out of the bar. Somewhere during our walk I broke down in tears and he held me in his arms. And then I cried more because I was crying in front of him.

“Everything will be okay.” He whispered and despite the past years of absence, I believed him. Standing there in his arms I actually felt like things would be okay. He brushed my hair out of my face and tenderly pressed his lips against mine. At first, I didn’t understand what was happening but two seconds later it processed. I stiffened and pulled away, looking at him dumbfounded.

“What?” He smiled. “It’s not like I’ve never kissed you before.”

My eyes widened, “When have you kissed me?”I was certain that never happened.

“Oh no that’s right, I’m sorry. It was more like you kissed me.”

“You've lost your mind.” Now I was absolutely certain that that never happened.

“Yeah, you remember…that time sitting outside your house, we were playing and Chuck came along and held one of your Barbies hostage…remember that?”

So I had suppressed that memory to the point where I had nearly purged it entirely out of my head but now that he had mentioned it, I remembered it clear as day. We had in fact been outside my house like he said, I was playing with my Barbie dolls and he was playing with his little green army men when a kid from the neighborhood came and stole one of my dolls and threatened to rip off her head.

Alex chased after him until he was close enough and punched him in the face retrieving my doll before any damage was done. That had been the last time I had cried in front of him. I didn’t ever want him to see me weak and vulnerable like that again. After that day, Alex had insisted that we build a tree house, our own little place where we could play undisturbed. He begged and pleaded with his mom to let him build one until he had pestered her enough about it that she gave in. His grandfather helped him put it up. Naturally, me being a girl I wanted nice pretty things up there that most boys his age would have rather choose death over but Alex allowed it and let me decorated how I wanted, as girly and dumb it may have been.

Noting the look on my face, he smiled smugly knowing that he was right. I rolled my eyes. “I was six. And you rescued Emily. It was a thank you. I didn’t know any better, and F.Y.I. it was Emily’s idea.”

“The doll? Uh huh.”

“Yes, she told me to because you saved her life. She wanted me to thank you for her.”

“Gracie, seriously? You’re gonna pin it on the doll.”

“Well- doesn’t the hero ‘spose to get a kiss?” Okay my words at this point were a bit slurred and my grammar was way off, I knew it but that didn’t stop me from pouring out my words like I knew what I was saying.

He just looked at me with a strange look in his eyes, completely ignoring my protests and pulled me into him, kissing me fiercely. I wrapped my arms around his neck this time and kissed him back with just as much force.

I’m sure you all are dying to know what happened next (pervs) even though I’m sure most have you by now have a pretty good idea.

But before I attempt to recount the events of this night I must say that this is the part where things go from bad to worse. I mean forget the shit hitting the fan, the shit was plastered all over the walls and floors. You’re standing in the middle of it gagging, and you aim to run away from it, go as far as you can, leaving a track of shit behind you and as much as you try to clean the bottoms of your shoes you can’t get it off, and the stench is following you everywhere you go.

Yeah that was a mouthful, I know but I can’t think of a better way to describe the following events that took place. I was about to complicate things for myself more than I could have ever deemed possible. Had I known the half of it, I would have stopped it right there. But alcohol always has a way of impairing your better judgment. Shit happens; lines get crossed. Alcohol.

End Notes:
As always, thanks for taking the time to read, I hope you enjoyed it.
Tracks by ajsbaby
You know that saying it gets worse before it gets better. I’ve come to believe that more now than ever, well at least the first half of it. The second part I wasn’t so sure about anymore. Sometimes better just takes too damn long to come, if it does at all.

I woke up with just a bit of a hangover the next morning. Surprisingly, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be given the amount I had to drink last night. I had still managed a very peaceful sleep. Have you ever opened your eyes in the morning and felt so warm and satisfied that you just wanted to make love to your mattress? You know, as a token of appreciation for the wonderful sleep it gave you. You just want to lie there cuddling the blanket and never get up. Yeah well that feeling lasted about three seconds from the time I gained consciousness to the settling of an aching pain. It was like a game of ping pong was taking place in my brain only instead of a tiny white ball it was a bowling ball that was being tossed back and forth, side to side in my head. But that too was shortly lived as the details of last night’s event came flooding through. I realized where I was and not just geographically, but also in the pickle I was now in.

It wasn’t the first time I’d found myself greeting the new day in someone else’s bed. There’d been plenty times – hey I never said I was a saint. I am a woman of the new millennia and as reserved as I appear to be I’m still a woman. A woman with needs and I’m not too shy to sate said needs. But it was the first time I woke up in my best friend turned former best friend to recently best friend and now possibly once again former friend’s bed. Whoo! Hope I didn’t lose you there.

I looked around but he was nowhere in sight. Which I was grateful for. I couldn’t look at him just yet. What would I say to him? “Hey how’s it goin’?” I had slept with Alex. Great. I had just gotten my friend back and now I’ve completely obliterated any chance of getting back the friendship we once had. I knew then that after last night nothing would ever be the same again. I’d lost him forever this time. God I don’t need this now.

I pulled the sheets down and was startled when I heard movement. Sitting up in bed I leaned forward towards the edge of the bed and there in all his glory was Alex lying butterball naked on the floor with just a square footage of the blanket I had just thrown off me covering his penis, standing at full attention might I add, with my panties on his head. Not a sight I wanted to see. I wanted to shriek but I held it inside and held a tightly fisted hand over my mouth. The last thing I wanted at this moment was to wake him up. I just wanted to get up, get dressed and get the hell out of there. With any luck he might not even remember this night and our friendship could still be salvaged, if I could just block this night out from my brain for the rest of my life. It’s possible right. With a little hard work, it might be an achievable goal.

I slipped out of bed as stealthily as possible. I located my clothes minus the panties and proceeded to put them on, all the while keeping my eyes locked on the edge of the bed, praying he wouldn’t get up. I was down to my shoes, nearly done, scanning the room for my purse. I found it laying on the nightstand. In one swift move, I snatched it. My heart fell when I saw what lay beneath it. It was like my heart had been ripped right out of my chest. I wanted to cry as I stared at the photograph that would be a permanent reminder of the previous night. Alex and I, in what appeared to me as a cheap dash and go chapel. No. This can’t be. I looked down at my hand for confirmation. I can’t believe I hadn’t noticed it before, I hadn’t felt the weight of this monstrosity of a diamond ring on my left hand. How could this have happened? And how come I don’t have any recollection of it? And then anger kicked in and I didn’t give a damn about Alex waking up anymore.

I screamed in…I don’t know what this feeling was…disappointment…confusion…betrayal. Well whatever it was I didn’t like it. Alex jumped up.

“What the hell?” He asked still groggy.

“How the hell could you do this?” I spat at him.

“Could you please keep your voice down. It’s too early.” He grabbed his head evidence of a hangover and in the process knocked my panties off and even in his pain made note of the thin piece of fabric now resting on the floor beside him. He picked them up and just as he was about to bring his hand to his face I shouted.

“How dare you take advantage of me last night. And pull some shit like this.” Had he really been about to sniff my panties? PIG!

“Hey, I didn’t see you trying to fight me off. If I remember clearly you were all over me.” Clearly he was oblivious to the quickie wedding. I yanked the lace out of his hand as he made a second attempt to smell my undergarment.

“Yeah well you obviously don’t remember shit about last night.” Neither did I but I wasn’t going to give him that just then. “Thanks for ruining my life.” I threw our wedding photo at him and stormed out the door.

I had to leave. I had to get out of there and go as far away as possible. I know you all are thinking that running away is not the answer but let me tell you this- SHUT UP! When you wake up one morning, married to your best friend after a night of irresponsible drinking then you can talk to me about running. I bet you’ll find it to be the best option then.

I made it to eight steps when I hear Alex call out my name. “Grace!” I just kept on walking. “You think I ruined you life? Ever think maybe you just ruined mine.”

“Fuck you.” I yelled back.

“No thanks honey, already did that. I just can’t believe I’d marry you.”

“Me neither and keep your voice down.” I yelled back. Not only did I not want anyone overhearing this arguement but I also didn't want to voice out loud what had occured. Fueled by my boiling blood I kept on my path walking carelessly. I tripped and nearly twisted my ankle causing me to almost fall down on my ass. That just got me more angry. So much for my awesome dramatic exit. I hated that Alex had just seen me so clumsy. I was expecting to hear him say something or laugh but instead what I heard was the sound of a lock clicking. Idoit! Just keep walking Grace. Keep walking. I said to myself as I heard Alex trying to coax the door to open but of course his efforts proved futile. Don’t stop don’t look back. Two feet near the elevator I paused. Damn it! I turned around and saw Alex standing in front of the door, locked out of his own room, with nothing but bed sheets wrapped around him. Looking defeated. Like a lost little boy, his head hung down and then he looked up at me with a hint of helplessness and a handful of irritation.

I sighed. “Stairs or elevator.” I asked.

“Stairs.”

~

The walk down the stairway seemed longer than it actually was. My room was one floor below his, which suited me just fine. The sooner this was over with the sooner I could get away from him and leave all this mess behind me, momentarily at least. Home was looking good right about now. I’d rather be home and suffer the torture that is my family than this, although from a legal standpoint I guess Alex is now family too. I shivered and cursed myself for allowing the thought to linger in my head even for just a second. No! I tried to banish the thought. He’s not my family.

I dared a quick peek over my shoulder. His face was still stained crimson, not sure if it was painted by humiliation of agitation and his eyes told nothing. Either way I was grateful that he was not staring at my backside. It’s strange the things you think when the atmosphere around you is quiet. That’s why I have a love/hate relationship with silence. It’s great because it means no one’s going to eff with you but it also sucks because it lets your mind eff with you instead. It’s a double edged sword anyway you look at it. And at the moment I had more urgent things to worry about than that man looking at my bum.

We made it to my room without anyone catching us. That would have made a perfect topping for this day. I dug through my packed bags for something he could wear. I pulled out some grey sweat pants and tossed the over to him. Now don’t get me wrong, just because I was doing this for him didn’t mean I wasn’t upset with him anymore. I was still pissed off but we couldn’t have Alex running around the hotel ass naked could we? Though maybe I should have, would have served him right. I probably would have lost my job. Shit! Who was I kidding? I probably still was going to lose it after this mess and even if by some fluke I weren’t fired, I don’t think I could have continued to work so close to him anymore, not after this. Sure I had overlooked the past before but this was completely different. Any way you looked at it, I was out of a job.

“Honey Buns?” He read out loud. “You expect me to wear pants that say honey buns?”

“Well you don’t have to if you don’t want to. You can always go prancing around the lobby in your new man skirt.” I threw a shirt at him. Toga would have been more like it but I was too distressed to offer him a more manly suggestion.

“Oh hell no. The honey buns is one thing, but I’m sure as hell not going to wear a fucking pink shirt.” He threw it back at me.

“Awe, but Alex you look so lovely in pink.” I said dryly.

Already in the honey buns pants I gave him, he looked irritated as he thought it over. “Whatever, just give me the damn shirt.” He ordered with an expression on his face that read “I’m AJ McLean, I can get away with anything.”

As he opened the door to take his leave he said to me, “Thanks, I’ll make sure you get these back when I’m done.”

I guess I should have accepted his thank you but I didn't. “Oh no that’s okay, I don’t want them back.” He gave me a questioning look. “They have your germs on them.”

That questioning look quickly turned back into that smug one he had when I’d handed him the shirt. He walked back inside. “Germs?” He questioned as he inched toward me. He repeated this until he was standing before me, his face only inches away from mine. “You wanna talk about germs? You got my germs all over you right now.” Emphasizing his words with the circular motions of his hands, outlining my body.

“Argh!” I felt my face burn, I just knew my face was flushed and knowing he could see it only fueled my inner demon more driving me to the point that I was not rationalizing. So I may have acted without thinking. Before I even realized what I was doing I'd secured my hands on his chest and with all the strength I could summon, I pushed forward, knocking him down. He fell to ass first to the floor.

“Did you just push me?” He asked bewildered. The stunned look upon his face made it clear that he was not quite sure if it had really happened. Hell,I wasn’t quite sure myself. I think I shared his confusion. “What are you? Nine?”

That was childish and immature and most likely uncalled for. I admit this. Even I was startled by my actions. I wanted to apologize to him, really I did, but how do you apologize to a jackass- a jackass that you married in a drunken stupor? How do you say sorry when all you want to is pretend it never happened? I was upset with him. I don’t believe I’ve ever hated anyone as much as I hated him at that moment but if I were completely honest with myself I’d say the one I was really just angry at was myself. But that is not the case here. I was not at that point yet. I’d been stupid and careless and this was the result. So I did the only thing I could think of. What else do you do when you are so disgusted with yourself and can’t stand to shoulder the blame and refuse to accept any responsibility? You blame it on someone else. All I know is the amount of shame and the oh so colorful potpourri of unsorted emotions brewing inside of me didn’t leave much room for talking much less apologizing.

He’d left my room shortly after and in less time than it took him to stand up and shake it off and he’d done so quietly, without uttering a word. I occupied myself with the task of repacking the few items I’d tossed out while searching for something for Alex to wear. As I neatly refolded I noticed I could have so easily given him something more manly to wear, well, maybe not manly but certainly less girly. But I’d given into the temptation of humiliating him and let him saunter out of here in a cute outfit. Not one of my proudest moments but I still have to say if I could replay that whole scene again I’d probably do the same thing. You have to admit it was funny.

I cracked the door open and peeked out to make sure the hall was clear. Armed with my bags, sunglasses and a baseball cap I made a run for the elevator, said a silent prayer that I could make it without being intercepted anyone and by anyone I meant Leigh. I know she’d just have to have one of her half an hour goodbyes and I just wanted to get the hell out of there as fast as humanly possible. Knowing her and her “uncanny psychic” (notice the quotes there, she’s great but there’s nothing supernatural about her.) abilities, she’d know something was wrong and demand to know what it was. I couldn’t face her. Not now, and when I did I certainly would never mention to her a thing about my marriage. Marriage-that word still feels a little strange coming off my tongue.

Home Sweet Home! by ajsbaby

Despite the holiday rush I was fortunate enough to be off the ground without any delays. You know how hectic things can get when traveling during these times. I was even more fortunate and thankful that I’d not bumped into Leigh or anyone else for that matter but I knew that eventually my luck was going to run out. Like it or not I was fully aware that I was only fighting the inevitable. Sooner or later I was going to have to face her. I was going to have to have that dreadful conversation with her. My only hope was that it would be later. Much later.

On my flight from Vegas to Florida, I decided to calm my nerves with those little bottles of alcohol provided by the airline. I know it may not have been the wisest decision on my part given recent events. I stared at each one of those bottles and cursed them all for their part in this mess I currently found myself knee deep in, right before I drank them. However, my reasoning skills were flawed. I was still suffering the physical aftermath and I heard once that the best cure for a hangover was to drink more, plus I could use a little liquid courage to help me for what was to come.

I’m still surprised the flight attendant not only hadn’t cut me off but instead continued supplying me more. I guess she figured I was a little ill at ease with flying. A misconception I was eternally grateful for. What is the cut off in an airplane anyway? When do they say enough’s enough? I had half a mind to test that question but the flight wasn’t long enough to get my answer. A more important question that bore into my mind was how could I not remember what happened last night? I’ve had friends in the past (Yes, I have friends, though few they may be.)that have claimed to have done some pretty crazy stuff they can’t recall even to this day after a night of heavy partying. Truthfully, I can’t say I ever believed it. I didn’t believe, no matter how much consumed, that it was possible that alcohol could cause memory loss. Only until now that it happened to me. I’ve heard of people suffering from blackouts. Was that what happened to me? Did I really blackout?

I shifted in my seat, stared straight into the bottle I was now clutching in my hand. The thought worried me some. I had a lot on my plate recently, my sisters pending wedding, though now it seemed minimal in comparison to a wedding I can’t remember occurring, and none of it I’ve had time to adjust to. Now to add to the mix was the possibility that I was turning into a blackout alcoholic. And that brought on another terrible thought, what about Alex? He’d been clean for several years now. What if as a result out our little drink-a-thon he’d revert to his old ways? I mean sure I was mad at him but the thought that I’d be solely responsible for leading him down a wretched path to his former self was one that would eat at me if it were to materialize. No, I didn’t force him. I certainly didn’t put a gun to his head and he is a big boy who is fully capable of making his own decisions, but did that make me any less at fault? A little voice inside my head said no, I was just as guilty, if not more than Alex. I’d just sat there like an evil temptress taking shot after shot, flaunting it around in front of him. The alcohol- not myself, although I’m sure he’d like to think otherwise on the latter. Oh my God, I’m a temptress too! One more thing to add to the list of the horrible things I was becoming.

I tried to shove all these negative things out of my mind, to shove him out of my mind. Now was not the time, I’d have plenty of time to drown in them later. If I thought about Alex any longer, I was going to drive myself up the wall, but I just couldn’t seem to stop myself. The harder I try, the harder the image of him would push itself through. I was beginning to look forward to going home. If anything, it would serve as the perfect distraction.

When my plane finally landed, I was greeted by the presence of my brother who had been patiently waiting.

“Gracie!” He cried out.

I hadn’t seen much him in years, save for the holidays, not since he’d left home after graduation and went backpacking cross country. I guess in a way we are much alike, in that aspect at least. We both spent more of our time traveling the world, never staying in one place for too long. Only I did it because it was a requirement so gracefully bestowed upon me by my employers and I had the luxury of airfare and five star hotels and most of my other expense paid for.

“Anthony.” I returned. He wrapped his arms around me and grimaced.

“Whew. Gracie. Have you been drinking?”

I cowered and kept my eyes away as I said, “just a little.”

He shook his head and tsked just before he threw his head back and laughed. “It’s been too long now. Who would have known that my little sister would take after me?”

Anthony had been known back in high school to chug a few down and had almost missed his own graduation after getting wasted the night before.

I shrugged. “I guess I learned from the best.”

From his response, I can only gather that he took my comment as some great achievement. Boys!

Anthony carried my bags to the car. I felt relief wash over me that he’d be here. Last year he had been a no show on account of his wife, Ingrid, who had just given birth to their third child. I’d heard there had been some complications that led to the baby being born prematurely. Thankfully, God had been listening to our families’ prayers. At a year old little Noah is a happy healthy baby.

With Anthony here this year, I had a feeling things would be a little more tolerable. He was the only one who didn’t pressure me into finding a husband and always came to my rescue whenever mom’s nagging about wanting grandchildren would turn less than favorable.

We did some catching up on the ride home. I asked him about his job and he asked about mine and of the places I’ve traveled. Wanting to change the subject as my employment was much too close to a certain person I didn’t want to think of right now, “So how’s backpacking?” I asked.

“Ah, Grace, I’m too old for that crap now. It was great while it lasted but eventually we all got to grow up sometime and become responsible adults.”

Reluctantly I nodded. I was far from being responsible adult right now. “Besides I don’t thing Ingrid would appreciate it if I did.”

True I doubted that his wife would allow it even though it was how they had met, but now with three kids, the wear and tear of the constant traveling, life on the road was unacceptable.

“No, I don’t suppose she would like it much if you just took off vacationing while she stays home with the kids.”

I was immensely grateful when the car finally pulled into the driveway. The second I had stepped outside and felt the breeze on my skin, I’d instantly regretted having consumed all those drinks. I was sure I hadn’t had enough to be feeling it the way I was. I guess I just hadn’t slept down last night’s intake. As I stood outside the front door of the house I’d grown up in, my mind confirmed that I had indeed made a terrible mistake.

I heard Anthony chuckle behind me. “No use in trying to sneak you in now, mom and dad have been amped up all week about seeing you. It’s all they’ve talked about.”

You mean besides Sam’s wedding. I mentally added but said nothing, not wanting to work up my nerves. My stomach was already uneasy and it took most of my concentration just to stand straight, or at least I think I was. A knot formed at my throat when my brother reached from behind me and opened the door.

The picture that awaited me on the other side hadn’t given me sufficient time to acknowledge what was happening. It all came to me in a confused slow-motioned blur. Two women were screaming my name and running straight toward me. I turned and fixed my gaze on my father who was sitting on his recliner and judging from his expression I noted that he understood even before I did. I turned back to face my mother in her lightly flour dusted apron. In her haste, she had tossed her rolling pin onto the kitchen counter. I then saw my sister, who unlike my mother, looked like she’d fallen into a big sack of flour.

I tried to hold onto it but the second they were within reach I could no longer contain it. I backed away only to bump into Anthony. With nowhere to go and unable to prevent it, I spewed all over my mother and sister. I heard feminine shrieks and the laugher of a man penetrate the room. Home, sweet home.

Yep, I’d emptied out all the contents of my belly on my mother and sister and Anthony had just stood there behind me laughing. It was an embarrassment and I was ashamed of myself. Did I mention it might have been a bad idea drinking so much? Well on the bright side, it was lucky for me…er...for them that I had not eaten yet and all that had poured out was liquid-the same liquid poison that had brought me to heave in the first place.

I took the two Tylenol that Sammie had left beside the bed before she slipped into the bathroom. I lay down on my back with my eyes closed, rubbing my temples. It seems that’s all I do lately. Another thing I seem to be doing a lot these days is all the wrong things, one stupid mistake after another. I think I’ve fucked up more in these past couple of days than I have in all my life combined. The biggest one being with Alex-No- I will not think of him. Not now, I will deal with that later.

I heard the squeaking of the faucet and the sound of water descending to a halt. A couple of minutes later my sister popped out of the bathroom with a cotton towel wrapped around her and another in her hand, drying out her hair. Her giggling caught me off guard.

“Now that was quite the entrance wasn’t it?”

“Ugh, please, don’t remind me.” I said dryly.

“You know you can expect that will be a topic of conversation this Thanksgiving dinner.” She grinned as she dressed. “And all Thanksgivings to come.”

Great! That was just what I needed. Perhaps it might not be so bad. If I could keep them on that subject, it could take the focus off my love life, or lack of. It could work and I might just survive the holidays. Still…

“I doubt anyone would be wanting to talk about that. I’m sure they’d much rather be talking about you and your upcoming wedding.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t be so sure. In fact… and I’m just guessing here, but I think 15 or 20 years from now they’ll still be talking of it. And by they, I mean Anthony. You know how he is.” She sprawled on the queen-sized bed that had replaced the two twin mattresses we had when we were growing up-back when we used to share the room.

I let out a deep sigh. “Oh by the way…” I’d nearly forgotten something important. “Congratulations, Sammie.”

She smiled at me. “Thanks.”

Then quickly she turned away from me and something about it struck me as odd. I’m not sure if it was the smile or something in her eyes that alarmed me. I made a mental note just then to find out what and why that was. Once this blasted headache ceased and I had something in my stomach, I would discreetly pry about. It was possible that in my tired state, I was just seeing things that weren’t really there but I thought I saw a flicker of doubt, even if it had been for half than a second. Either way, imagined or not, I would find out.

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9963