Extreme Makeover: Lena Style! by LenniluvsBrian
Summary:

Ty is unable to be at a location for an Extreme Makeover: Home Edition shoot, so he sends along a replacement instead. But, can his replacement do a good job, considering her age? Or will she crumble under the pressure of it all?

 


Categories: Fanfiction > Backstreet Boys, Fanfiction > TV Series > Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Characters: Brian, Ed Sanders, John Littlefield, Michael Moloney, Nick, Other, Paige Hemmis, Paul DiMeo, Ty Pennington
Genres: Alternate Universe
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 25737 Read: 24279 Published: 01/27/10 Updated: 04/15/10
Story Notes:
Corporal punishment is insinuated.

1. The Replacement by LenniluvsBrian

2. Demo - Climbing (Er -Tearing) The Walls by LenniluvsBrian

3. Best Friend Advice by LenniluvsBrian

4. Super Girl! by LenniluvsBrian

5. I Wanna It That Way by LenniluvsBrian

6. Deprivation by LenniluvsBrian

7. Change by LenniluvsBrian

8. Homecoming by LenniluvsBrian

9. Bus Ride Home by LenniluvsBrian

The Replacement by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

Hey! I've had this idea for awhile now & it just kept eating at me, until I finally started writing it-lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Mathersons, & story idea. Everyone else owns themselves & ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Thank-you!

Note: BSB won't be fully involved until about chapter 4 or so. But, please keep reading anyway. 

                Lena Pennington sat on the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition bus, listening as Ty Pennington gave her instructions. She was eleven-years-old, and not really Ty’s daughter. He’d taken her in, as she kept showing up at Extreme Makeover sites across the country. It was while this was going on, that he learned she was on her own and had no family. So they’d made a deal – so long as she obeyed his rules and accepted whatever punishments he deemed fit for her wrong doings, she’d never have to go to bed hungry. Which overall was the greatest deal she’d ever heard! So, of course, she took him up on the offer, and after a couple of months he’d even gone and made it official – which had tickled her pink.

 

                Anyways, back to why she was currently being given instructions. It seemed Ty had somewhere else he had to be, so he wouldn’t be able to make it to the next taping of Extreme Makeover. And while he was away, it had been deemed a good idea to let Lena host the show, since she loved to be the center of attention and knew the ins and outs, for the most part.

 

                “Now remember, if you need anything, just ask Paulie,” Ty reminded her. “Though you’re hosting the show, he’s in charge of you while I’m gone. And I expect you to treat him with respect, or there’ll be dire consequences.”

 

                Lena rolled her eyes slightly. “Ty, how many times are you going to tell me that? I know Paulie’s in charge, and I know you’ve given him permission to punish me, so just move on already, will you?”

 

                “I just don’t want for anything to go wrong while I’m gone,” Ty stated. “I’m giving you huge responsibility here Lena. Normally a kid your age would never have this laid upon them. But I’m trusting you, and so is everyone else, to do a good job. You can’t mess this up, because then you’ll make everyone involved look bad.”

 

                “Keep up appearances, got it,” Lena nodded, a small sarcastic smile upon her face.

 

                Ty narrowed his eyes at her, giving her a Look.

 

                “You need to relax,” Lena told him. “I’m a pro with the tools and designs, remember? Well ahead of my time in this department. No worries, everything will be fine.”

 

                “They better be, or a certain part of your anatomy won’t be,” Ty reminded her firmly. “And to keep you constantly reminded of that fact, your attitude adjuster will be hanging with mine by the bus door.”

 

                “Ty!” Lena exclaimed slightly. “You know how embarrassing that is?”

 

                “It’s not like anyone other than the design team is even going to be on this bus, and they all know already,” Ty replied calmly. “So really, there’s no need for you to make it out to be a big deal.”

 

                Lena rolled her eyes in annoyance, smiling sweetly at him upon noticing him narrow his eyes at her once more.

 

                “All I ask is that you behave and do as told,” Ty said. “Everything has to go as smoothly as possible.”

 

                “I thought I was the team leader? So don’t I get to tell everyone what to do?” Lena demanded. “That’s what you do, isn’t it? Or have I been watching the wrong show?”

 

                “I don’t boss everyone around,” Ty answered. “I offer advice and suggestions. And you won’t take advantage of the team leader role, if you value your bottom at all. Got it?”

 

                “Loud and clear,” Lena replied, holding her hands up in defense.

 

                “Now, I have to go, so enjoy the ride to the next stop,” Ty told her. “Behave.”

 

                “I know, I know,” Lena said, making like she was shoving him off the bus. “Now go already, will you?”

 

                Ty let her shove him until he was on the last step for the bus. “I love you, Kiddo,” he reminded, smiling some.

 

                Lena eyed him a moment, before hugging him tight. She wasn’t one to say the three words back aloud often – she’d much rather show it. 

 

                Ty returned her hug, flashed her a smile, then hopped off the bus, waving as it pulled away from the airport. He’d a flight to L.A. to catch for some promo thing.

 

                Lena waved back until he was out of sight, then grinned at the bus driver. “Free at last!” She exclaimed.

 

                The bus driver chuckled, as he saw her make her way back to the one couch and flop down upon it with her laptop.

 

                The drive to Lexington, Kentucky from Atlanta, Georgia would be five hours and fifty-five minutes long – plenty of time for Lena to do her schoolwork. Though, whether she would actually do the work or not was another question. But, she had promised to behave, so homework probably was counted in that behaving category.

 

                “Blast it all,” Lena grumbled, as she reached into her knapsack to pull out a schoolbook. “I hate this part of it all. Bor-ring!”

 

                She worked on her school assignments, until she felt as though her head were going to explode.

 

                “He never said I had to do them all in one day,” she reasoned, though she knew once she got busy with the team, she’d forget all about her schoolwork. “A little break never hurt anyone.”

 

                She rubbed her hands together, then began to search the web on her laptop for some Backstreet Boys fan fiction. Though, that search soon led to her watching videos on YouTube and soon enough, her schoolwork was long forgotten.

 

                Finally, the bus pulled to a stop at the Blue Grass Airport to pick the rest of the design team up for this week’s project. Needless to say, they were surprised to find Lena by herself on the bus.

 

                “Where’s Ty?” Ed Sanders questioned, as he took a seat on the one couch.

 

                “He’s not here this week,” Lena shrugged, smiling somewhat.

 

                “You mean he sent you alone?” Paul DiMeo demanded, also taking a seat. “Why on earth would he do that?”

 

                “Is that why he asked for so many of us to come this week?” Paige Hemmis asked, as she sat next to John Littlefield.

 

                “Well, it would make sense,” Michael Moloney commented, as he sat next to Paul and Ed.

 

                “You’ll find out soon enough,” Lena stated. “Ty left y’all a video message. Well, two actually; one for just y’all, and one for the show. The T.V. crew ain’t on the bus yet, so we’ll watch the one for y’all first.”

 

                Lena hit play for the video to begin, and suddenly Ty’s face appeared on the screen.

 

                “Hey gang,” he spoke. “I’m stuck in L.A. doing promo stuff this week, so I’ve sent my replacement along instead. Yes, I do mean Lena. While I am away, she is to be team leader. She’s been given a long list of instructions and knows what her job entails. And Paulie, if she gets too big for her britches, her attitude adjuster is hanging by the door with mine. I’ve told her you’re in charge of her, and she’s to do as told.”

 

                Lena rolled her eyes in annoyance, her arms crossed over her chest, at the mention of her attitude adjuster.

 

                “But anyway, hope y’all have a good time, and I’m sorry I couldn’t be there with you all to help this family out,” he continued on. “I know you’ll do a fantastic job though, and I’m looking forward to seeing the results.”

 

                He paused a moment, then went on with his spiel. “Have a great time, gang! And Lena – behave, please.”

 

                Lena rolled her eyes once more, stopping the video, as it went fuzzy afterwards. “So, gang, y’all ready for this?”

 

                “I think, the question is, are you ready for this,” Paul piped up.

 

                Lena straightened up, standing as big and tall as she could. “I promised to do a good job, and I intend to keep that promise. I’m determined to not let anyone down, and if I do, well…you know…”

 

                Paul nodded. “Indeed, I do.”

 

                “Anyways,” Lena began, quickly changing the subject a moment later. “Let’s get this show on the road, shall we? Bus driver, do your thing – please!”

 

                The bus driver nodded, then began to drive them off to where they needed to be in order to pick up the camera crew. Once the camera crew was on the bus and everything was set up, Lena began her role as team leader.

 

                She pressed play for the second video Ty had made, and once more his face flashed across the screen.

 

                “Hey gang, as you know by now, I’m not there. Right now, I’ve other duties to attend to, but have sent Lena in my place as team leader. This week, we’ve picked the Matherson family. They’re well known amongst their community, as they love to help others out. They’d even started a food bank and shelter, for people who had to do without one or the other or both. All was going well, until one fateful night. Here is their story.”

 

                The screen switched to footage of the Matherson family then, Ty no longer on the screen.

 

                “Hi, we’re the Matherson family!” The family of six cheered, waving at the camera.

 

                “Hi, I’m Lauren, and I’m the Mom.”

 

                “Hi, I’m Krystal and I’m fourteen.”

 

                “Hi, I’m Carla and I’m twelve.”

 

                “Hi, I’m Joanna and I’ve ten.,”

 

                “Hi, I’m Becca and I’m seven.”

 

                “Hi, I’m Rachel and I’m five.”

 

                “We were a family of seven, but my husband, George, was killed by a fire that broke out in our shelter. It was a regular Saturday evening, and my husband, Krystal, and I were working there; the others were here at home with my mother. We were serving dinner like any other night, when suddenly someone started shouting about a fire that had broken out by the back door. For some reason, the fire spread quickly and everyone was forced to rush towards the main door that was the only exit left, other than windows. My husband, being the type that would give someone the shirt off his back, heard a child screaming for help near the back of the shelter, and headed in that direction after ordering me to get Krystal out. It wasn’t until everyone had managed to get out, that I realized my husband had never emerged with the child he’d gone to rescue.”

 

                Lauren paused, as her eyes began to tear up. “By this time, the fire department had arrived and it was like utter chaos going on. I kept screaming for them to get to my husband, and had to explain that he’d gone back for a child. There was another woman there, screaming that she couldn’t find her daughter, and I just knew her child had to be the one George had gone back for. We watched with baited breathe, as suddenly we saw movement near the doorway. My husband emerged through the flames, carrying a little girl Rachel’s age, who’d her face hidden into his chest for protection. Soon as he came out, firemen and paramedics rushed to them, and began to look after them.”

 

                Krystal could be seen on the screen then, her eyes full of tears. “We thought he was going to be okay. He’d make it out on his own, and he was going to be fine. But instead…instead he died of smoke inhalation. They said too much smoke got into his lungs, and he just couldn’t breathe. They did everything they could, but it was too late. He’d been in there too long.”

 

                Lauren placed her arm around her daughter, as her daughter let her tears fall. “He was the only one to lose his life that day. The little girl he’d gone back for lived, because he’d made her press her face into his chest. By doing so, she didn’t breathe in the same amount of smoke as he had. The firefighters did an investigation, and it turned out the fire was caused by arson. Why someone would want to burn down a homeless shelter, is beyond me. But it was still done, and now because of whoever started that fire, we’re short an important member of our family.”

 

                “I miss my Daddy,” Becca whimpered on screen, as Joanna and Rachel sat on either side of her. “He was teaching me to ride my bike.”

 

                “Daddy was helping me to read,” Rachel spoke up, hugging her older sister tight.

 

                “Daddy…Daddy was going to take us to a Backstreet Boys concert the next night,” Joanna stated, lone tears streaming down her face. “It was just gonna be him and all his girls. It was gonna be a special night, and because someone decided to start a fire, we never got our special night.”

 

                Ty’s voice could be heard then, as pictures of the shelter and their house was shown on the screen. “The Matherson’s lost someone very dear to their hearts that day. George was their main source of income, and Lauren was a stay at home mom. Since his death, she’s been forced to go back to work, and has no time for their girls or their house. Because she has to work so much to meet ends meet, their house has begun to fall apart and she’s no time to fix it, nor the money to do so. All her money goes towards feeding the girls and getting them the necessities they need to live healthy and active lives. Also, the shelter that had been their dream, is still beyond repair and she’s still paying for the site it was on, in hopes of one day rebuilding it.”

 

“We’d never be able to thank-you enough, if you came to help us out,” Lauren said, as she flashed across the screen once more. “It’d mean everything and so much more to us. I’m scared that if I don’t get the house fixed soon, that I may end up losing it. I feel like such a bad mother for not being able to give my kids what they deserve. They deserve to be happy, and right now no one is very happy. We’d appreciate any and all help you’d be willing to give. Thank-you.”

 

                The video ended then, and the design team was shown wiping their eyes.

 

                “They’re a very deserving family,” Ed spoke finally. “I can’t even imagine how that must’ve felt. To think he was going to be okay, only to end up losing him instead.”

 

                “Those poor girls,” Paige sniffled. “To lose their father at such young ages.”

 

                Lena, who’d her back turned to everyone, managed to compose herself and turned to face them all at last. “Are we ready to do this?” She asked, sticking her hand out like Ty always did.

 

                “Let’s do this!” The team exclaimed, after all putting their hands in together and pulling them away at the same time.

 

                The bus pulled up to a house then, and Lena quickly grabbed up Ty’s bullhorn, as she led the way off the bus.

 

                “Good morning Matherson family! Lauren, Krystal, Carla, Joanna, Becca, and Rachel! Come on out!”

 

                There was silence, and suddenly they saw someone poking their head out the door. A look of recognition came across the young girl’s face then, and suddenly she started screaming.

 

                “Mom! Mom! They came! They came! Extreme Makeover came!”

 

The next thing they knew, all six came flying out of the house screaming with joy. They tackled the design team, minus Lena, having overlooked her.

 

                The girls all looked around, and finally Lauren asked what they were all wondering. “Where’s Ty?”

 

                “He couldn’t be here this week, so he sent us his replacement instead,” Paul stated, placing his hands on Lena’s shoulders.

 

                “Hi,” Lena smiled, the bullhorn still in her hands. “I’m…”

 

                “Lena!” Becca and Rachel shrieked, tackling her in a hug.

 

                Lena returned their hugs, shrugging slightly. She wasn’t used to this kind of welcome – heck, any welcome at all really. She was used to being more behind the scenes or just not mentioned, but yet always with Ty or Paul.

 

                   “Oh my! It is you!” Lauren exclaimed, then motioned towards the two still hugging her. “The girls are huge fans of yours.”

 

                “Um…thanks?” Lena said, looking a little unsure of herself. “So, as you know, we’re here to fix your house while you guys go on vacation. Do you want to know where you’re going?”

 

                “Yeah!” The girls cheered.

 

                “How does Disneyland Resort in California sound?”

 

                The girls squealed loudly, extremely excited to be going to California and Disneyland of all places.

 

                “Now, Matherson family, let’s see your house,” Lena instructed.

 

                Everyone nodded, and Lauren led the way into the house, Lena following her. They were showed the house, Lauren explaining all that was wrong with it, and how she’d just no time nor the money to fix it. Soon, Lena found herself standing in Joanna and Carla’s bedroom, a grin on her face.

 

                “So, I take it you like the Backstreet Boys,” she commented, taking in all the posters around the room.

 

                “We absolutely love them! Heck, we all do!” Carla exclaimed.

 

                “Your whole family likes them?” Lena checked.

 

                “Oh, yeah! We do!” Joanna giggled. “Mommy admitted to liking Kevin. Krystal likes Brian, Rachel likes Nick, Becca likes A.J., Carla likes Howie, and I like Brian! Brian just makes me laugh, all the time.”

 

                Lena laughed. “I know what you mean. He makes me laugh quite a bit too.”

 

                “You’re a fan?” Joanna exclaimed, excitedly.

 

                “Yup, I am,” Lena nodded proudly. “Brian’s my favourite, then Kevin, and then everybody else. I’ve seen them in concert twice now, thanks to Ty.”

 

                Carla and Joanna looked sad then. “We were supposed to see them, but then Daddy…Daddy…”

 

                “Hey, don’t cry, it’ll be okay,” Lena soothed, hugging Joanna. “I know it hurts, but things’ll get better, you’ll see.”

 

                “How do you know?” Carla demanded, wiping her eyes.

 

                “Just – trust me,” Lena replied, not caring to share her life history on national television. Heck, she hadn’t even told Ty the full story yet – he only knew she’d been an orphan looking for a home.

 

                The girls nodded, then headed on back out to the kitchen where the rest of the family currently was.

 

                Lena did her team leader thing, by asking Lauren some more questions and making her cry, then sent the family off on their vacation.

 

                “Well, I’d say they’re a very deserving family,” Lena commented. “Especially Krystal. I mean, she’s no time to hang out with her friends anymore, since she constantly has to keep watch on her little sisters. That’s got to be hard.”

 

                “And Lauren seems to be struggling quite a bit too,” Michael added. “Working full-time, trying to rebuild the shelter and still help the other families out. It’s amazing that she’s still able to get food donations out to those who need it.”

 

                “Okay, so what’s the plan?” Lena asked.

 

                “I’d like to work on Becca and Rachel’s room,” Paige put in. “They’re adorable little girls, who just want a place to play and dream.”

 

                “I’m going to do Krystal’s room,” Paul piped up. “If no one minds. I was talking to her, and she’s quite a bright young lady. She wants to be a nurse when she’s older.”

 

                “I’m going to see if I can get a team together and rebuild that shelter of theirs,” Ed stated. “Because those families they were helping before need a place to sleep and eat too.”

 

                “I’m going to help you out with that Ed,” John commented. “I’ve some ideas, and together we could make it pretty amazing.”

 

                “I’m wanting to do Lauren’s room, if that’s alright with you , Lena,” Michael said. “She needs some place that she can relax and feel like she’s in a far away, stress-free place.”

 

                “That works, because I want to do Carla and Joanna’s room,” Lena grinned. “I found out they’re huge Backstreet Boys fans and my ideas are running wild.”

 

                “Not too wild, I hope,” Paul cut in.

 

                “No worries, Paulie,” Lena smiled. “I’ll show you the plans first.”

 

                “Thank-you,” Paul nodded.

 

                “Now, let’s get to work people!” Lena exclaimed, giggling some after shouting it out. “Haha. I sounded just like Ty!”

 

                Paul laughed and ruffled her hair. “C’mon Kiddo. There’s work to be done, like you said.”

 

                “Ooh! I get to plan the demo!” Lena cheered loudly. “Look out house! Lena’s on the loose!”

 

                Paul shook his head, laughing some more, as he watched her run off. “Don’t forget your hard hat and safety goggles!”

 

                “No worries, Paulie!” Lena shouted back. “They’re on the bus, which is where I’m headed!”

 

                “Well, so far, so good,” Paul thought to himself, as he watched their eleven-year-old host run back onto the bus for her stuff, “Let’s hope the rest of the week goes this well.”
Demo - Climbing (Er -Tearing) The Walls by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

I hope BSB Fans catch the small BSB shout-out in the chapter title. Took me a few minutes to think of it-lol. Hope y'all are still reading. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Mathersons, Jim Timbers, Sean Timbers, & story idea.  Everyone else owns themselves & ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Thank-you! 

Later that night, once the family’s personal items had been removed from the house, Lena sat on the bus by herself. This was to be her home away from home, as it usually ended up being when they did the show. Sure, they all had hotel rooms, but Lena never liked to be too far from the site – well, really, she didn’t like to be too far from Ty. He made her feel safe, though she hated to admit that.

 

                She glanced around the bus, trying to find something to occupy herself with. The rest of the design team had gone back to the hotel, and everyone else had gone home for the night.

 

                “I could do my schoolwork…” She thought aloud. “But what fun is that? It’s been a long day, and this week is only going to get more tiring. I need something fun to do, and I already got some designs down for the room I’m doing.”

 

                She sighed heavily, then suddenly remembered she’d conned Ty into letting her bring along her X-box 360. “Ooh! I can play Nintendo!”

 

                She hurried into the very back of the bus and began pulling her Nintendo out. She set it up quickly, and was soon caught up in the land of Ninja Turtles.

 

                “C’mon! Ninja kick that dude!” She shouted at the television screen. “Stupid turtle! Do as yer told!”

 

                She growled a few minutes later, tossing her controller down in frustration. “Stupid piece of crap! Why won’t you jump when I tell you to jump?”

 

                She stood, stomping into the kitchen are of the bus to get a drink from the mini fridge. It was while she was getting a drink that she heard a noise that sounded like someone was trying to get onto the bus. She cautiously moved to peek out the door and saw nothing. She peeked out every window next, feeling very nervous now. Sure she’d lived on the streets before, but since moving in with Ty had lived a rather safe and sheltered life.

 

                She gulped some, as she realized it was just the wind. She’d forgotten what it sounded like when the wind beat up against the bus door. She grabbed her cell phone and hurried on back to where her Nintendo was, curling up on the couch as she eyed the entranceway warily.

 

                “There’s nothing to be scared of,” she reminded herself quietly, as she subconsciously dialed a number and stuck the phone to her ear. She listened to it ring for a bit, and was just about to hang up, when she finally heard the voice she desperately needed to hear.

 

                “Hello?”

 

                “Ty, hi!” Lena chirped, feeling extremely glad and relieved to hear his voice.

 

                “Hey Kiddo,” Ty replied, smiling on his end. “How’s it going?”

 

                “Pretty good,” Lena answered. “We surprised the Matherson’s and sent them on their trip. They were mighty surprised to see us standing on their front lawn. They didn’t even know it was us, until Carla poked her head out the door.”

 

                “Ah, I see you’ve remembered their names well already,” Ty teased. “Is there any reason for that?”

 

                “She just may be, a Backstreet Boys fan,” Lena admitted. “And the rest of them just may be as well.”

 

                Ty chuckled. “I knew you’d like that fact.”

 

                “You knew?”

 

                “Of course I did,” Ty stated. “I know everything, remember?”

 

                Lena rolled her eyes slightly at that, silently thinking of all the things he didn’t know about, yet probably should.

 

                “I know you just rolled your eyes,” Ty teased some more.

 

                “That was pretty much a given,” Lena told him. “Anyone who knows me would’ve been able to guess that.”

 

                “So what are you up to at this hour? Other than not sleeping, which is what you ought to be doing,” Ty said after a moment of silence had passed.

 

                “I was playing Nintendo,” Lena replied. “But then my turtle got frustrating, so I went to get a drink… And then I decided to call you.”

 

                “For no particular reason at all?” Ty questioned, knowing her better than that. He knew she liked to appear tough and put on a brave façade, but really she wasn’t at all.

 

                “Do I need to have reason to call you up now?” Lena challenged, knowing he was trying to get her to admit she’d been scared. “Besides, I thought you might have a good idea for the demo tomorrow. Someone suggested burning it down, but I made it perfectly clear we’re not using fire to get rid of the house. To me it’s disrespectful, since they lost a family member due to a fire.”

 

                “I hope you weren’t disrespectful when stating that,” Ty commented.

 

                “Why is it, everyone always assumes the worst with me?” Lena demanded. “I know how to use tact and be polite when I need to be, if I feel I ought to be. I’m not as stupid and reckless as everyone seems to think!”

 

                “Hey, no need to take that tone with me,” Ty warned. “I’m sorry I asked. I’m just looking out for you.”

 

                “Well, I know how to look out for myself quite well, thanks,” Lena remarked dryly. “I don’t always need you to do so.”

 

                “If this is how this phone call is going to go, I’m going to hang up,” Ty told her. “I’m not in the mood to argue with you.”

 

                Lena took a moment to control her sudden anger, curling into a tighter ball upon hearing the wind beat against the bus door again.

 

                 “So…do you have any ideas?” She managed to squeak finally. Her fear was slowly getting the best of her.

 

                “I’d have to think about that one for a bit and get back to you on it,” Ty answered. “What’s really up, Kiddo?”

 

                “I forgot what it was like to stay on the bus at night,” Lena admitted after a moment. “And what it was like to hear the wind hitting the door.”

 

                “Don’t worry, I know for a fact that door is always locked,” Ty assured her. “No one’s getting in there but the driver or the design team. No one else has a key.”

 

                “It’s still kinda…creepy,” Lena whispered softly, hugging a pillow to her chest. “I’m just…used to you…being here, is all.”

 

                “If you get too creeped out, just ask Paulie to stay with you,” Ty suggest3ed. “You know he would if you asked.”

 

                “You know I’m not one for asking,” Lena reminded him softly. “I didn’t even want to admit defeat just yet.”

 

                Ty gave a soft laugh. “Yeah, I know. But it’s me, Kiddo. You don’t have to be tough for me. I’ve seen you at your worst, and at your best. I know every side there is to know.”

 

                “Maybe…” Lena trailed off quietly. “Will you talk to me until I fall asleep?”

 

                “Sure thing, Kiddo,” Ty replied. “I’ve nothing else to do this evening, so we can talk as long as we need to. Just promise me you’ll get some sleep tonight, alright?”

 

                “I promise I’ll try,” Lena answered, pulling the blanket off the back of the couch down over her. “But no promises.”

 

                “Good enough,” Ty relented.

 

                The two of them began to chat about everything and anything then, until Lena finally fell asleep two hours later. And though she never knew it, Ty stayed on the phone until he heard Paul on the bus the next morning.

 

               

                ~~~~~

 

                The next morning, Lena awoke to the sound of the design team on the bus. She yawned, stretching some, still a bit sleepy. She had been up later than planned, after all.

 

             “Hey Kiddo, sleep well?” Paul asked, once he noticed her awake.

 

             Lena shrugged sleepily, rubbing her eyes once more. “What time is it?”

 

             “Six o’clock,” Paul replied. “We wanted to be sure everything was ready for the demo.”

 

             Lena groaned, flopping back down on the couch dramatically. “Can’t you wake me in a half hour or so? You know, at a more decent hour?”

 

             Paul raised his eyebrows. “You’re team leader, not me. So you’re kind of needed for the demolition planning and such.”

 

             Lena grumbled a few choice words under her breath, giving Paul an innocent smile when she saw him looking at her none too pleased.

 

             “I’m up Paulie, don’t get your panties all in a wad,” she told him, standing and stretching.

 

             “It won’t be my panties in a wad, if this is how today is going to be,” Paul warned.

 

             Lena scowled. This was not a good way to start a day, and definitely not a good way to start a new project. “No need to be threatening,” she commented, as she brushed past him on her way to the bathroom. “I know how to behave.”

 

             “Then please do so,” Paul told her. “I really don’t want to have to use that attitude adjuster of yours, Kiddo.”

 

             “Nor do I want you to have to use it,” Lena agreed. “No worries, Paulie. I just need some food and I’ll be good to go.”

 

             “Then let’s get a move on, so we can begin planning,” Paul told her. “You do what you have to do in there, and I’ll scrounge up some breakfast.”

 

             Lena flashed him a smile, as she closed the bathroom door behind her. She hoped the rest of the day would be better than her wake up call had been. It wasn’t all her fault – they knew she wasn’t a morning person.

 

             A few minutes later, she joined the design team at the table, smiling when she spotted a bowl of cereal and glass of chocolate milk awaiting her.

 

             “Morning y’all!” She chirped, as she dug her spoon into her Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes. “Y’all ready to get to work?”

 

             “Just waiting on you, so we can plan the demo,” Ed replied, smiling at her. “You’ve any ideas, love?”

 

             “Yes, yes I do,” Lena grinned. “I thought of something while talking to Ty last night. What if, the house was to fall down because of extremely loud music? I could, like, play an electric guitar or something, and the house falls down because of the noise. It could even be a Backstreet Boys song, since they like them so much!”

 

             “I don’t think they even use an electric guitar, do they?” Michael commented. “I’ve never heard them sound edgy or anything.”

 

             “They can be edgy, when I play with my guitar enough,” Lena smirked. “Trust me, I’ve changed the sound to a few of their songs, just because I was bored.”

 

             “Well, obviously the whole house won’t come down from it, probably just the windows,” John stated. “How is the rest of the house going to come down?”

 

             “We just keep blaring the music and the machines can knock the rest of it down, while the music plays,” Lena went on. “I mean, how hard can it be? And it’d be pretty cool, if you ask me.”

 

             “So, like, you want a whole band?” Paige checked, watching Lena nod. “Where are we going to get one on such short notice?”

 

             “Well, I can play the guitar, like I said,” Lena stated. “And Paulie knows how to play piano, and could easily play the keyboards.”

 

             “That could work,” Paul nodded. “Just so long as we’ve time to see how you changed the music up and to rehearse a little bit first.”

 

             “Way ahead of you,” Lena exclaimed, jumping up from her seat after gulping down the last of her cereal. “I just so happen to have the sheet music in my bag. I brought it along in case I needed something to do instead of sleep.”

 

              The team all shook their heads in amusement – she was always rather entertaining when excited. They waited and listened to her rummage around in her bags, smiling as she returned a few moments later, looking a little frazzled.

 

             “Sorry, forgot which pocket I’d stuck it in,” Lena giggled, as she lie the sheet music down upon the table. “See, this is where I’ve changed it up some. Same old lyrics, but to a slightly edgier tune.”

 

             “Do we have permission to use their music and such?” Paige asked curiously.

 

             “Yup, we do!” Lena chirped. “Ty said he’d already talked it over with their management ahead of time, as he’d a feeling I’d want to somehow incorporate them into the build.”

 

             “He knows you well,” Michael commented, smirking some. “Good thing.”

 

             “He knows what he needs to know,” Lena replied. “Now, here’s how it’s going to go…”

 

             She went on explaining everything, the smile never once leaving her face. She was thrilled beyond belief to be able to incorporate her version of the Backstreet Boys songs into the demo. She’d always thought it’d be a cool thing to do, but never had enough reason to even suggest it – until now.

 

             Eventually everything was planned out and ready to go – all they had to do was turn the cameras on, so that they could film it, and send the video to the family. Yes, this was how it was done, though it never seemed that way, but it was the easiest thing to do. Make the video, send it along, and while the family watched it, they could already be moving the old house debris out of the way, in order to start building the new one.

 

             Lena stood before the camera, her guitar strapped on. “Hello Matherson family!” She cheered, waving. “Today we’re going to demolish your house. And after speaking with you all, I figured, what better way to do that, than to use my edged up versions of Backstreet Boys songs in order to bring down the house – literally!”

 

             Music began to play then, Lena on the guitar and Paul on the keyboards – random people they had found on the other instruments needed.

 

             “Everybody! Rock your body! Everybody! Rock your body, right!” Lena screeched into the microphone. “Backstreet’s back, alright!”

 

             After singing that little bit all that could be heard was the extremely loud music. The house began to shake, the windows began to shatter, and neighbours flocked the streets to watch what was going on. They played until the last piece of the house had fallen down, having had played not only Backstreet’s Back, but Climbing The Walls as well.

 

             “Well, now that your house is gone, we can get on with the build!” Lena exclaimed, once the music had stopped, and loud cheering could be heard. “We’ve asked Timbers Construction to help us out this week.”

 

             “Hi, I’m Jim Timbers,” one man spoke into the camera.

            

             “And I’m his brother, Sean Timbers,” the man next to the first one added.

 

             “And we’re going to work extra hard all week, to build you guys the house you deserve. We know we can’t replace George, but we can at least take care of his family for him,” Jim stated.

 

             “And by the time you all come home, you’ll have the house of your dreams awaiting you,” Sean continued. “So have fun on your vacation and don’t worry about a thing.”

 

             “Well, you heard them,” Lena smiled into the camera. “Have fun at Disneyland and before you know it, you’ll have a wonderful house awaiting you. Now, let’s get to work people!”

            

Lena turned her camera off, after that and headed for the bus, so she could burn the video onto a disc and send it to the family. Then she could get back to work on designing the room she’d staked claim upon.

 

             Paul watched Lena head for the bus to copy the video, and was glad that despite her surliness that morning, everything seemed to be going smoothly. Who knew the kid would do such a fine job? He’d thought for sure that by now she’d have driven someone crazy – like she usually had done by day two any other time and place. But maybe, just maybe, being team leader was as important to her as she’d led them to believe. Maybe she truly did want to do a good job and not let anyone down. Only time would tell though – after all, it was only day two.

 

             He shrugged and went about doing what had to be done, in order for them to get the foundation poured and such.

 

             Lena, meanwhile, was making sure the video was perfected, before burning it onto a disc to send to the family. She was feeling quite pleased with herself thus far, as her demo had gone perfectly – no mishaps whatsoever. You really only get one shot for demo, so the fact it went smoothly was fantastic, because things didn’t always go as smoothly as it seemed on demo day. She finished up what she was doing, and stuck the disc into an envelope, then headed on out to find someone who’d get it to the family for her.

 

After finding that person, she grabbed up her hard hat, stuck her goggles in her tool belt, and headed over to where Paul was to see if she could be of any assistance.

               

                “Hey Paulie,” she smiled. “What’re we doin’ now?”

 

Paul returned her smile. “We’re getting everything ready so we can pour the foundation,” he informed her. “Basically, they’re going to use the back-ho to dig the hole for it, and if we want we can go work on our designs and get them started. We have to do something while this is going on – there’s not much else we can do right now.”

 

                “Oh,” Lena nodded. “So I can go finish planning what I’m going to do for my secret room.”

 

                “If you’d like,” Paul replied. “We’ll keep you informed, and let you know when you need to be on camera.”

 

                “Well… if you’re sure you can get along without me for a little while…” Lena trailed off. “Then I’m going to go work on my design. I have to finish figuring some things out.”

 

                “Go for it, Kiddo,” Paul told her. “Just stay out of trouble, alright?”

 

                Lena flashed him a grin as she saluted him. “Yes, Sir!”

 

                Paul chuckled as he watched her run off to the area that had been designated hers for the build. He just hoped she didn’t go overboard with her Backstreet room, otherwise they could run into a few problems.  

 

                The rest of the day was spent with everyone going about their business and helping out when help was needed. The only one who wasn’t seen much of was Lena, as she’d holed herself away in her little area and had begun bringing her ideas to life – well, the smaller ideas anyway. Every once in awhile, they could hear the power tools going, and wondered just what the heck the kid was up to – but, they let her be as there’d been other work they’d had to get done before night fell upon them.

 

                “I hope this all works out like I’ve got planned,” Lena thought to herself, as she began to plain a piece of wood she was going to use for one of the night tables she was building.

 

 The table legs were going to be made to look like music notes; and she planned on putting a photo of each girls’ favourite Backstreet Boy upon their table as the table top – she’d put garnish and such over the photo to protect it, of course. She just hoped she didn’t accidentally screw up the photo part of it, as then she’d have to start all over on them. And she knew she couldn’t spend forever on one aspect of the room, if she wanted to be done in the allotted seven days.   

 

She hummed softly while she worked, as she loved to sing. Music was her greatest passion. Well, one of her greatest passions. She could never choose between music and construction. She loved building as much as she loved singing. Though, no one knew just how much she loved music – they knew she loved the Backstreet Boys, but that was about it. She didn’t usually sing for anyone, as she usually became a little shy. Yes, she was a camera hog and craved attention, but when it came to singing, it was just different. It was more personal.

 

“Hey, Kiddo, what’re you building?” Paul asked, as he came into the tent that had been set up for her to work under.

 

“Hey! You’re not s’pose to be in here!” Lena exclaimed, quickly trying to hide what she was working on. “That’s why it’s called a secret Paulie!” 

 

“Yes, well, if I remember correctly, someone promised to show me her plans before she started building,” Paul rejoined. “So really, it’s not going to be a surprise to me anyway.”

 

Lena glared at him somewhat. “The final results will be,” she countered. “Now, get!”

 

Paul crossed his arms over his chest, giving her a Look. “Am I going to see these plans before you start building anything else Lena? Or do you intend to break that promise you made me.”

 

“Did someone pee in your cornflakes this morning or something?” Lena snapped slightly, shoving her plans in his direction. “I mean, yeesh! From the moment I got up this morning, you’ve been a force to be reckoned with.”

 

“Because you’ve been a little smart-mouthed today,” Paul answered, looking over her plans. He decided not to comment on how she’d handed them over. He really was trying to give the kid a bit of a break and all, since she’d never had this much responsibility on the show before. “These look pretty good, Kiddo. Just don’t make them too wild and far-fetched, okay? Otherwise we might run into problems when things get down to the wire.”

 

“Have a little faith, will you?” Lena snapped slightly. “I know what I’m doing. I can handle it.”

 

“Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it,” Paul stated. “You know even Ty asks for help when he needs it.”

 

“And he kicks all those unnecessary out of his room, now git!” Lena exclaimed, shoving him slightly, but not forcefully. “I’m trying to accomplish something here.”

 

Paul shook his head. “I’ll come let you know when it’s time to get some rest.”

 

“I’m old enough to tell myself when to go to bed!” Lena argued.

 

“You’ll get some rest when told, or you won’t be very happy with the end result,” Paul said firmly. “I know you well enough, that you’d stay out here all night and day if you could – just like Ty.”

 

“If Ty can do it, why can’t I?” She countered.

 

“Because Ty isn’t eleven-years-old,” Paul retorted. “Ty’s a grown man, who knows well enough to not use tools when he’s beyond tired.”

 

“And I repeat, have a little faith, Paulie,” Lena answered, shoving him once more. “Now, go! Please! This is very important to me.”

 

 “Fine,” Paul agreed. “Just keep safe Kiddo. And for the love of all things, put your goggles on when using power tools!”

 

“Yes, Sir!” Lena grinned. “Now, be sure to let me know when the food’s here. I might emerge from under this here tent then.”

 

Paul shook his head, muttering as he headed off. “Kids…”
Best Friend Advice by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:
blank_page

I am currently on a roll! Trust me on that one. God, I love Ty. * swoons* Okay, anyway, hope y'all like this one & are still reading. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Mathersons, & story idea. Everyone else owns themselves & ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Thank-you!

Note: Ashley (ForeverRebel) helped a little with this one by giving me ideas. Some of it is our actual conversation-lol.

                By the next morning, the foundation had been poured and the walls for the first floor were going up. It was pretty amazing what all could get done in a day, with the help of many others. It seemed like more people than ever had showed up to help out for this build.

 

                Lena glanced around at everything groggily. She hadn’t gotten all that much sleep, as being alone on the bus still kind of creeped her out. And not wanting to seem like a baby, she hadn’t asked Paul to stay with her on the bus. She hadn’t even bothered to call Ty again, as she had done the previous night. She refused to admit she was chicken. She’d lived on the streets before, so surely a bus she was locked safely in overnight was nothing to fear.

 

                “Morning, love,” Ed smiled at her, as he came to stand next to her. “Beautiful sight, ain’t it? Most of them were up all night constructing it.”

 

                “Mm…that’s nice,” Lena mumbled, rubbing some more sleep from her eyes. She didn’t dare mention that she too had been building stuff late into the night. She’d snuck off the bus and into her tent to do so, knowing that with all the noise everyone else was making, no one would hear her. So, this was the other reason she was so tired this morning.

 

                “Tired love?” Ed asked, as he watched her yawn for a third time. “What time did you get to bed?”

 

                “Mm…Oh, I don’t know,” Lena answered after a long moment. “I collapsed on the couch and that was the end of it.”

 

                Well, least that part was true – she had pretty much collapsed on the couch and been asleep moments later. She just didn’t dare mention that, that hadn’t happened until almost four in the morning – it was now seven and she was more than exhausted.

 

                Ed chuckled. “You never have been a morning person, have you?”

 

                “Nah,” Lena replied. “I’d rather stay up late and sleep in.”

 

                “Which must be hard to do when you’ve school and houses to build,” Ed stated, winking at her.

 

                Lena giggled a little bit. “Sure… if you say so.”

 

                Ed shook his head at her. “So how are your designs coming along, love?”

 

                “They’re coming along nicely,” Lena smiled up at him. “I’m starting to think I ought to design some of it for myself.”

 

                “I’m sure Ty would let you if you were to ask,” Ed told her, knowing Ty would be more than happy to let her design her own furniture. “You know he’s all for building things.”

 

                Lena shrugged. “Eh. Maybe if I feel like asking after this, I will. But for now, I guess it’s back to work. I’ve still more things I need to build if I’m to pull this room off.”

 

                “Did you at least have breakfast this morning, love?”

                “Of course I did,” Lena lied. “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Now, if you’ll excuse me…”

 

Ed shook his head. “That girl is going to find herself in a world of trouble if Paulie or Ty finds out she’s been lying.”

 

            Lena reached her tent and closed the one flap behind her, in order to conceal not only her designs, but herself as well. She glanced around at everything she’d built thus far, and sighed heavily. She’d still two beds to make, fabrics to pick out, and wallpaper to design. The next four days were going to be extremely long, but she just couldn’t screw this up. She’d always begged Ty and them to let her build more than just tables and other small items; and now that she was being given the chance she did not want to mess it all up. It meant way too much to her, for her to just stop working on it – even if sleep and meals were of necessity. But, they also cut into her building time, and she needed to get things done. 

 

                “Hmm…where to start….” Lena wondered eyeing her plans some. “The night tables are done, and so is the desk and chairs.”

 

                She glanced over at the desk she’d built out of BSB CD cases and a wooden structure to ensure it stayed standing. She’d spent most the night lining up the CD case legs just right and gluing them all together – finally finishing the desk at four that morning, which was when she’d finally gone to bed. She’d made sure the titles of each CD faced outward, so the girls could read them if they felt like. She had hit up every CD place she could think of the day before just to find all those cases for actual albums and the singles. Some were repeated more than once, but she’d made sure there was a methodic pattern to it all.

 

                As for the chairs, she’d made them normal like, but had put the BSB logo on the backs on each chair, so the theme was still there. And the two chair seats were both two different colours. One seat was blue and green, and the other was purple and yellow – the Backstreet Boys’ favourite colours.

 

                “Well, guess I can start on the beds, then figure the wallpaper and bedding out later. Out of the two, I think the beds are more important,” she reasoned, stifling a yawn. “I know I love my bed, when I get to sleep in it.”

 

                She grabbed up some tools, then paused again. “Okay, so now how do I design these things?” She sighed heavily. “I think it’s back to the drawing board again. I need an idea before I even start cutting wood.”

 

                As she sat there staring at her plans, her cell phone rang. She grinned when she saw her best friend’s number scrawl across the screen.

 

                “Abigail! Hi!” Lena chirped into her phone happily. “What’s up?”

 

                “Not much. Just felt like calling my best friend, is all,” Abigail replied. “I haven’t heard from you in a few days and was getting worried.”

 

                “Oh! Sorry! I forgot to text you and tell you the great news!” Lena exclaimed. “Ty’s letting me host the show!”

 

                “Wow! Really?” Abigail said, sounding excited for her best friend. “Why’d he finally give in to your request?”

 

                “Because he had to go away to L.A. this week,” Lena giggled. “So I’m in charge and everyone has to do as I say.”

 

                “Even Paulie?”

               

                “Well, technically Paulie’s in charge of me,” Lena answered, rolling her eyes as she did so. “But for the most part, he has to do what I say, since I’m team leader.”

                               

                “And you’ve managed to stay out of trouble so far?” Abigail commented. “Wow! I’m surprised.”

 

                “So am I, to be honest,” Lena confided. “But I think it’s only because this means so much to me. Well, that and the fact the family is full of Backstreet Boys fans. I’m designing a Backstreet room for two of the girls. They’re going to love it! I just know it!”

 

                “Of course they are!” Abigail enthused. “You design the greatest things ever!”

 

                “Yeah, maybe,” Lena shrugged. “But they’ll definitely love it because I’ve incorporated BSB into everything!”

 

                “Really? Man, I’m wishing it were my room you were designing and I haven’t even seen the finished results yet!” Abigail stated. “I bet everything looks amazing!”

 

                “I’ll send you pictures once everything’s done. You’ll get the first viewing,” Lena promised. “Though, I’m really not supposed to show anybody. But, it’s you. I know I can trust you to keep ‘em secret until the show airs.”

 

                “Yay! I get the first viewing!” Abigail cheered. “I love having special privileges!”

 

                  Lena laughed. “Only because I love you girl. I might not even show Ty the finished results. Maybe I’ll make him wait until the show airs for him to see just how awesome I was as team leader and designer.”

 

                Abigail giggled. “Yeah, that’ll teach him to let you design bigger and better things. No more measly little night tables for you!”

 

                “Oh, once you see the ones I’ve designed for this room, you’ll be begging me to make you one, trust me,” Lena stated. “I might just make one for myself.”

 

                “So, what’re you going to work on next?” Abigail questioned.

 

                “Well, I was going to start on the beds,” Lena answered. “But then I realized I’d no idea as to just how I wanted them to look. I was sitting here staring at the drawing board when you called.”

 

                “Ooh! Let’s brainstorm together! This way we can say we both helped!” Abigail offered.

 

                “I’m all for that,” Lena agreed. “Because I’m officially stumped.”

 

                “What if you make collages on the headboards and footboards,” Abigail suggested. “I was going to do that with mine at one point.”

 

                “Ooh. Sounds good!” Lena nodded, though her friend couldn’t see her nodding. “And what if we make them canopy beds, and we make the poles leading up to the canopies covered in song titles!”

 

                “Cute!” Abigail exclaimed. “Sounds like a whole lot of work though.”

 

                “Nah. I think the only question would be, do I carve the titles into the posts or do I print them up and wrap them around the posts.”

 

                “Wouldn’t it take too long for you to carve the song titles into eight bed posts?” Abigail reasoned. “You’ve only four more days to get everything done, Lena. Plus you need sleep, meals, and camera time.”

 

                “Don’t worry so much,” Lena told her friend. “I can manage it all. I’m super, super girl, yanno.”

 

                “Please don’t start singing that Hannah Montana song now,” Abigail laughed. “I think the workers would question your sanity then.”

 

                “Only if I were to sing it while wearing a cape,” Lena smirked. “Which actually sounds like a whole lot of fun. Hmm. Maybe I’ll do that later, just to bug Paulie.”

 

                “Why do I always end up giving your crazy ideas,” Abigail groaned. “Just don’t get yourself into any trouble, okay?”

 

                “I promise to try not to end up in trouble for anything,” Lena promised. “But, I can’t control Paulie’s moods.”

 

                “Just don’t irritate him then,” Abigail pointed out. “You know he hates to be irritated.”

 

                “Yeah, yeah. Whatever,” Lena answered. “Look, I gotta go. I’ve lots to get done before the family comes home.”

 

                “Have fun!” Abigail told her. “Stay safe and out of trouble too!”

 

                “Fun is what defines the job of team leader,” Lena said happily. “Nothing beats being team leader of a huge project.”

 

                “Bye girlie,” Abigail said, giggling some. “Love you.”

 

                “Love you more,” Lena insisted, then quickly hung up her phone, only to have a text ring through moments later. She laughed at reading the No, I love you more message from her friend. “I love our usual argument.”

 

                Soon as she’d tucked her phone safely back into her tool belt, she began drawing up her plans for the beds straight away. Thanks to Abigail’s phone call, she was even more excited about designing the beds, than she’d previously been – as if that were even possible.

 

~~~~~

 

                “Hey Ed, have you seen Lena at all this morning?” Paul asked, as he came off their signature bus. “She’s not on the bus, and I thought for sure I’d have to wake her up this morning.”

 

                “She’s already off in her tent doing her thing,” Ed replied. “I saw her when I arrived a half hour ago. Haven’t seen her since though, so I’m assuming she’s still in there.”

 

                “Thanks,” Paul said, heading off in the direction of Lena’s tent. “I’m going to go check on how she’s doing.”

 

                Ed nodded in response. “I hope he doesn’t realize the young lass probably never slept long last night. If so, I don’t think I want to be here for the fireworks that are bound to blow.”

 

                 “Knock, knock,” Paul said, as he entered the tent that had been set up for Lena to build in. “How you holding up in here?”

 

                “Paulie! Would you quit sneaking up on me like that!?” Lena exclaimed, after having just about jumped three feet in the air. “You’re lucky I wasn’t using power tools!”

 

                “You’re lucky you’re not using them without your hard hat and goggles,” Paul replied, pointing to the two objects lying on the table next to her plans. “You know to wear the hard hat at all times, Lena.”

 

                “I don’t think anything is going to come flying all the way over here to my tent, Paulie,” Lena replied. “Besides, I haven’t even started to build anything yet today, so chill will you?”

 

                “So, anyways, how’s everything coming along?” Paul wanted to know. “You think you’ll be finished everything by the time we get the house done?”

 

                “Yup, I think so,” Lena smiled. “I’m just about to start in on the beds, now that I’ve a plan.”

 

                “Do I get to see this plan?” Paul asked. “You promised to show me everything first, before you started building.”

 

                “No, you don’t get to see them,” Lena answered. “Ty doesn’t show anyone his plans, so I don’t see why I have to show anyone.”

 

                “Because Ty at least gets people to help him out,” Paul stated. “So far, you’ve done everything alone.”

 

                “And have half of it done,” Lena pointed out. “All that’s left is the beds, fabrics, and wallpaper.”

 

                “And whatever else it is you decide to add to the room,” Paul replied. “I know you and your obsession Lena. You always tend to go a tad over board with it.”

 

                “Would you have a little faith already?” Lena snapped slightly. “I mean, damn!”

 

                “You’ll watch your tone and language, missy,” Paul remarked, delivering a swift smack to her jean-clad behind. “I’m not going to warn you again.”

 

                Lena yelped, her one hand rubbing her bottom, while she cast him a cold glare. “I would like very much for you to leave, please,” she spoke in an even tone.

 

                “And I’m not leaving until I’ve been shown some plans, Lena Marie.”

 

                Lena grabbed her blueprints up angrily, practically throwing them at the older man before her. “Here, happy?!”

 

                She yelped again, as his hand once more came in contact with her behind.

 

                “Don’t make me get your attitude adjuster, young lady,” Paul warned. “You’re treading on very thin ice right now.”

 

                Lena scowled, rubbing her backside, as Paul looked over her plans. So much for her being in a good mood today. He just always had to go and ruin everything by having little faith, didn’t he? Well, damn him!

 

                “These look a little complicated, Kiddo,” Paul told her, handing the plans back. “We’ve only four days left to get everything done and in the house. How do you plan on getting everything carved into eight bedposts?”

 

                “Very carefully,” Lena answered, trying her hardest not to lose her cool. “Just trust that I have good judgment, alright? I’m not as stupid as everyone seems to think. Am I not doing a good enough job as team leader or something?”

 

                “For being team leader, when was the last time you went around to see how everyone else was doing?” Paul demanded. “A good team leader checks in with their team every now and again.”

 

                Lena could feel her face growing hot, as she began to feel flustered and embarrassed. He’d a point there. She had forgotten to take the time to check in with everyone else, as she was so caught up in her own projects.

 

                “Now, if you’re going to work on anything or wander around the site, humor me and put your hard hat on,” Paul insisted. “And try to keep your cool today, will you? I know you want to do a good job, but you can’t go around with an attitude and expect everyone to respect you.”

 

                Paul smiled at her some. “If you need me for anything, I’ll be in my tent working on my designs.”

 

                Lena watched him leave, relieved when he finally exited her tent. She wasn’t sure whether to cry or be furious with him. Here she’d thought she was doing a good job as team leader, but, apparently not.

 

                She sighed heavily, as she glanced over her blueprints once more, now feeling defeated. Figured someone would have to go and kill her excitement.
Super Girl! by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

 

Would y'all believe I am currently working on the second last chapter for this story? I can't believe I am so close to being done writing this story! Feels like I just started it-lol. And I assure you, y'all have still got about 5 chapters left to read - 2 of which still need to be written. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Matherson’s, & story idea. Everyone else owns themselves & ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Thank-you!

Note: The song is Super Girl by Hannah Montana. 

After sitting there for about twenty minutes, Lena wiped the tears from her eyes and pulled out her cell phone. She dialed a number and pressed the phone to her ear, praying the one she was calling would pick up. She desperately needed some comfort, and there was only one person who could give it – even if it’d have to be just over the phone.

 

“Hey Kiddo,” Ty’s voice came over the phone. “How’s it going?”

 

“Hey,” Lena spoke softly. “How’s L.A.?”

 

“Cooler than usual,” Ty replied. “Which is a good thing. I’m sick of the heat. How’s Kentucky?”

 

“Kentucky’s, well, Kentucky,” Lena answered. “I haven’t seen much of it, really. Been too busy to go anywhere.”

 

“How’s everything going?” Ty asked, curious as to know just how she was doing as team leader. “You still behaving?”

 

Lena went quiet then, trying to think of a way to word it all right. Her projects were coming along nicely, but as for her being a good team leader…well, she wasn’t so sure anymore.

 

 

“Lena?”

 

“My designs are going good,” she said finally. “I’ve only got to design the beds, fabrics and wallpaper. And then get essentials, like the table lamps, and stuff.”

 

“And how’s the rest of the team doing?” Ty wanted to know. “And the house?”

 

“The house looks good,” Lena replied. “I-I’m not sure about the rest of the team though.”

 

“Why aren’t you sure? Have they not been telling you anything?”

 

“No… I kinda forgot to ask,” Lena admitted, her eyes filling up with tears once more. “I can’t do this, Ty! I’m such a horrible leader! You’ve never once forgotten to check on the rest of your team or the house! I don’t even know if we’re behind or ahead of schedule! I locked myself up in my tent and forgot the rest of the world.”


Ty listened a moment, knowing she was on the verge of tears. “Hey, hey, calm down, Kiddo. It’s only day three, there’s still plenty of time to check in with the others. No one’s suggested you’ve been a bad leader. You’re doing fine.”


  

“Not according to Paulie,” Lena choked out. “Everything I do is wrong. He keeps telling me my designs are too complicated and that I’ll never finish them. He’s no faith in me at all, Ty! He keeps coming in here and ruining my good vibes, and makes me feel like I’ll never be a good team leader like you.”


“I’m sure he means well,” Ty insisted. “I know Paulie wouldn’t intentionally hurt your feelings. Have you told him to have faith?”


“I don’t seem to be saying it nice enough,” Lena grumbled. “He frustrates me, and I tell him that, and it’s my bottom that gets smacked for it! I’d like his to get smacked once and see how he feels afterwards!”

 

“Lena Marie, you need to calm down now,” Ty told her. “You know you’re to respect your elders.”

 

“Well, then tell him to give me a chance, instead of constantly coming in here and telling me I’ll never be able to finish my room on time!” Lena exclaimed. “Tell him to trust that I know what I’m doing! Maybe then I won’t get so snippy with him, when he comes waltzing on in here uninvited!”

 

“I’ll talk to him, alright?” Ty sighed. “How’re the others at accepting you as team leader?”

 

“I haven’t seen anyone other than Paulie and Ed,” Lena confessed. “I said I forgot to check in with the team. I only saw Ed momentarily this morning, when I first came off the bus.”

 

“I’m sure everything’s going fine, Kiddo. Why don’t you go around and check on things once we’re done talking,” Ty suggested. “Then maybe Paulie will back off a little. You do need a little more camera time, when you’re team leader. It’s your job to act a little crazy.”

 

“Abigail suggested I run around wearing a cape singing Super Girl by Hannah Montana,” Lena giggled, wiping away the tears that’d manage to slip out. “I told her it sounded fun.”


Ty laughed. “Go for it, Kiddo. I’m sure everyone could use a laugh about now. Just remember your hard hat.”

 

Ty,” Lena groaned. “That’s another thing Paulie keeps harassing me about. I know when to wear my hard hat and goggles. I’ve been around the sites enough by now to have figured that out.”   

 

“He’s just looking out for you, like I asked of him,” Ty pointed out. “He knows I’d be livid if anything were to happen to you.”

 

“And he knows I know that my butt would be roasted thoroughly if I forgot to wear my hard hat,” Lena replied. “I learned that the hard way, remember?”

     

“Yes, I remember,” Ty replied. “Well, I’d better let you go, so you can check up on everyone. I have to be somewhere soon anyways.”

   

“Kay,” Lena sighed. “I-I miss you.”

    

“I miss you too, Kiddo,” Ty reminded her. “Love yah.”

      

“Back at yah, times ten,” Lena laughed. “And then some.”

     

Ty chuckled, knowing how hard it was for her to actually come right out and say those two words. “Get back to work, and let me know how Super Girl makes out.”

        

“I will,” Lena said. “Bye.”

       

She listened as Ty hung up, heaving a huge sigh of relief. He wasn’t mad at her – that lifted a huger weight off her shoulders. Though, it wasn’t really like she’d done anything all that horrible to begin with. Her and Paulie usually clashed after a few days on site, though she loved him and vice versa.

    

She pocketed her phone once more, then headed on out to check on her team, soon as she was sure no one would be able to tell she’d been crying. Crying made her weak, and she refused to cry in front of anyone but Ty, if she could help it. Sometimes there was no controlling the situation, or her emotions.

    

No sooner had she exited her tent, than had she walked into Paige – literally.

  

“Hey, there you are!” Paige smiled. “I was just coming to tell you, that a local university has offered to give scholarships to the girls. I thought you might like to help me surprise the family.”

    

“Sure!” Lena smiled. “I can do that. I’d just hafta get the camera off the bus.”

        

“I’ll go with you,” Paige said. “I wanted to tell you how my designs were coming along anyway.”

 

“I was just coming out to check on everyone,” Lena replied softly. “I kinda forgot to do that.”

 

“Hey, no worries,” Paige told her. “It’s your first time as leader; nobody ever does it perfectly the first time.”

 

“I bet Ty did,” Lena sighed as they reached the bus and climbed aboard. “Ty does everything perfectly.”

 

Paige laughed. “Kiddo, trust me when I say, he made a few mistakes his first time too. And you only think he does things perfectly, because you idolize him so much.”

 

“Really? He messed up too?” Lena asked, not denying the fact she idolized the man who had taken her in. “What’d he do?”

 

“Same thing as you,” Paige stated, as she found the camera they were looking for. “He holed himself up in one of the tents and kept on building. It was Paulie who reminded him to go out and check in with everyone.”

 

“Yeah, good old Paulie,” Lena muttered sarcastically.

 

“I’m guessing you two had a run in,” Paige smirked, knowing how the young girl tended to get under the older man’s skin at times. “But don’t let him get you down. I’m sure you’ll end up doing a wonderful job.”

 

“Thanks,” Lena replied gratefully.

 

“Now, let’s make that video for the family and send it on its way,” Paige insisted, nudging the younger girl playfully. “Then you can go on out there and go crazy.”

 

“Let’s get crazy, get up and dance….” Lena sang jokingly.

 

Paige laughed. “You and your Hannah Montana. I swear if you’re not semi-singing her stuff, then it’s the Backstreet Boys.”

 

Lena grinned. “Well, of course! What else is there to semi-sing?”

 

They both smiled as Paige got the camera set up. Once it was on, she aimed it at them both.

 

“Hello Matherson family!” They cheered.

 

“Paige here, has some exciting news to tell you,” Lena chirped, smiling into the camera. “Trust me when I say, you’re going to love this!”

 

“Hi!” Paige said into the camera. “I’ve been talking to the local colleges and universities, and Brantford University has offered something incredible! They’re going to give full scholarships to all five girls! You’re all going to get to go to University and learn whatever your heart desires!”

 

“That’s amazing! Best of luck girls!” Lena added, as her and Paige both waved. “Hope you’re having a fantastic time at Disneyland!”

 

They turned the camera off then, and Paige set to work on getting it ready to send out to the family. Lena, on the other hand, decided to go check on her team and stir things up a bit.

 

She found her little boom box, and popped her Hannah Montana CD into it. She then grabbed a blanket for the back room of the bus, and tied it around her neck. She smirked at Paige, then ran off to find the camera crew, so they could add her craziness to the show.

 

Soon enough, Lena was running around with her hard hat and blanket on, as Super Girl by Hannah Montana blared from her little stereo.

 

Snap my fingers just like that
Don’t get what I want and that’s a fact

Snap my fingers just like that

Don’t get what I want (just ‘cause I want it)
                    

“Heya Michael!” Lena chirped, as she paused her CD. “What’s up?”                    

Michael laughed, as he eyed her get up. “Decided to take on some of Ty’s craziness, I see.”                    

“You better believe it!” Lena grinned wickedly. “So how’s Lauren’s room coming along?”                    

“Everything’s going good. I’ve already picked out the bed, and the tables, and the other furniture for it,” Michael said. “Now all I have to do is pick out the fabric and a few other things to make the room pop!”                    

“Awesome!” Lena enthused. “I’m glad everything’s going according to plan.”                    

“Me too,” Michael agreed. “Have fun, Lena.”                    

“I will!” Lena smirked, turning her CD on once more.                    

“She’s a good kid,” Michael told the camera, as Lena’s song blared from her stereo. 

I'm super cool
Super hot

Livin’ like a rock star

You think I'm super

You think I'm super
                    

Next, she called up Ed and John, since she couldn’t exactly drive over to where they were re-building the shelter that’d burned down.                     

“Hello?”                    

“Hey Johnny!” Lena exclaimed. “How’s the shelter coming along? Figured I’d call y’all, since I can’t exactly drive over there, without ending up in trouble.”                    

John laughed/ “Everything’s going great here. No worries, Kiddo. Ed, the team, and I have everything under control.”                    

“Okay!” Lena replied. “I’m trusting y’all on this. Call me if you need anything!”                    

“Will do,” John promised. “Bye Kiddo.”                    

“Bye Johnny!”                    

Lena hung up her phone, and smiled at the camera. “Well, thanks to speaker phone, you guys know all is going good so far. Let’s go find Jim and Sean, and see how the actual house is coming along.” 

On the cover of your magazine
Wherever I go they make a scene

I'm super, super! I'm super duper!
                    

Soon enough, she found the head of her construction team. She hurried on over to them, waving her cape as she ran.                    

“Jim! Sean! How’s everything?” Lena queried. “Are we on schedule?”                    

“Everything’s going fantastic!” Jim answered with a smile. “The crew is doing well, and everyone’s in good spirits.”                    

“Everything’s going so well, we’re actually four hours ahead of schedule,” Sean added. “The house will definitely be ready for the Matherson’s when they come home Saturday.”                    

“Sweet!” Lena exclaimed. “Keep up the awesome work, y’all!”                    

Jim and Sean chuckled, as they watched the young girl run off, her ‘cape’ billowing out behind her. 

So you wanna be just like
So you wanna be just like

Think you wanna be just like me
                    

As she ran about, she bumped into Paige again – only, not literally this time.                    

“Hey! I forgot to ask how Becca and Rachel’s room was coming along,” Lena laughed. “Guess I was too excited to blare some music and run around like a maniac.”                    

Paige laughed as well. “It’s all good. Things are going just wonderful. We’ve got the beds made, and the night tables, and the fabrics picked out. We just have to build the little desks and a couple other things I want to give them.”                    

“I’m glad all’s going well,” Lena said honestly. “Well, I’m off!”                    

Paige watched her go, then got back to what she’d been doing. 

Everybody's watching me
It's never as easy as it seems

To be super, super

(To be super, super girl)
                    

Finally she found Paul, stopping just before running into him. She grinned up at him, as he raised his eyebrows at her, while she paused the CD again.                    

“You said I should check in with everybody,” Lena reminded him. “So how’s Krystal’s room coming?”                    

“Well, we’ve gotten the bed done,” Paul replied, as he waved a hand towards the team in blue that was helping him. “Now we just have to get everything else built, and we’ll be good to go.”                    

“Looks good Paulie!” Lena praised. “Keep up the good work!”   

Paul shook his head as she ran off blaring her song once more. “She’s just like Ty.”

I Wanna It That Way by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

Well, guess who is on a roll with this one! Believe it or not, I just finished writing this story an hour ago! It's finished! I can update it as often or as slow as I like now & it's okay, because it's finished! *does happy dance* Hope y'all like this one! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Matherson’s, Timbers Construction, & story idea. Everyone else owns themselves & ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Thank-you!

                   

It was day four and everyone was busy working. Little did they know that though miles away, Ty had a little surprise planned for his little team leader. They only became aware of that fact, when he called up Paul to warn him beforehand.                    

“Hey Paulie,” Ty greeted, once Paul had answered his phone. “Look, I don’t have much time to talk, but I thought it might be best if I called to let you know there’s going to be some special guests showing up at the site today.”                    

“What’d you plan now?” Paul asked curiously. “It’s not what I think it is, is it?”                    

“Let’s just say, you better warn everyone that Lena’s going to be screaming and freaking out like never before,” Ty chuckled. “I mostly arranged this for the family, but it’s also slightly to let my little team leader know I think she’s doing a great job so far. Speaking of which, Paulie please put a little trust in her corner.”                    

“Ty, you haven’t seen her plans,” Paul argued slightly. “Hers are even more over the top than yours – and that right there is saying something.”                    

“Have a little faith, alright?” Ty pleaded somewhat. “I’ve enough faith to entrust her as team leader, the least you can do is have a little faith that she’ll manage to get things done on time.”                    

“I’ll try,” Paul promised. “I better let you go now, so I can warn everyone.”                    

“Thanks Paulie!” Ty said. “And, have someone video tape it for me, alright? I want to see how everything plays out.”                    

“Will do!” Paul guaranteed, then hung up his cell.                     

Once he’d hung up, he began to secretly go around and let everyone know that Lena would be freaking out soon, and why. He even called up Ed and John to let them know as well, since they all knew just how much this moment would mean to their little team leader.                    

Luckily, Lena was absolutely clueless, as she’d holed herself back up in her tent once more, after having had checked in with everyone and done some camera time. She wasn’t aware anything was going on, until Michael came to tell her that some special guests had arrived.                    

“Special guests?” Lena repeated. “Ty never mentioned anything about that. I’m team leader, so why am I just finding out about this now?”                    

Michael shrugged. “Your guess is as good as mine. But, come on, they’re about to get off the bus.”                    

Lena sighed heavily, not even thinking about whom it could be – just how annoyed she was to be pulled away from her projects. “Oh, alright.”                    

She followed Michael out, a slight frown upon her face. Anyone who knew her could tell she felt slightly put off by not knowing what was going on. She watched as the bus came to a stop and the doors opened up, so their special guests could get off.                     

Everyone watched as Lena’s expression went from one of annoyance to one of pure shock and delight. She was so busy going through emotions, she didn’t even realize that everyone on site had actually stopped working just to witness this moment.                      

Lena stared in shock as four guys climbed off the bus – the four guys she’d constantly begged Ty to let her meet – the Backstreet Boys!                     

“Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!” Lena repeated over and over, as the Boys stood in front of the bus smiling at her. “Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!”                    

She began to scream shrilly, while jumping around in excited circles.                     

“We were told we’re supposed to be meeting the team leader here,” Brian Littrell spoke up, as he glanced around at everyone. “Ty said to ask for someone named, Lena.”                    

The Boys all smirked, as Ty had told them full well, which one Lena would be.                    

BRIAN!” Lena shrieked, making a mad dash towards him after he’d spoken her name.                    

Brian laughed, as he caught the excited young girl in his arms. He was rather used to this reaction, though it didn’t happen quite as often as it used to. Well, it all sort of depended on what country they were in really. Some fans were a little more excitable than others.                     

“Group hug!” Nick Carter shouted, tackling Brian and Lena.                    

A.J. McLean and Howie Dorough shrugged, and joined the group hug, laughing as they could still hear Lena freaking out pretty bad.                    

“Oh my God! We’ve got to tell the family!” Lena exclaimed excitedly. “Can we go live? Is there anyway we can reach them in real time? Oh my God!”                    

“Relax,” the producer spoke up. “We can reach them via satellite. We’ve already got everything all set up.”                    

Lena squealed, as she began to jump again, though never once letting go of Brian or Nick. “They’re going to be so excited!”                    

“Right this way,” the producer said, leading the way to where they’d the camera set up. “The family knows something’s happened, but have no idea as to what.”                    

Lena followed behind the producer, babbling endlessly to her all-time favourite music group ever. She was rather quite the chatterbox when excited, and right now she was way beyond ecstatic.                     

Once they reached the camera that would connect them to the Matherson family, Lena managed to pry herself away from Brian and Nick to step on screen.                    

“Heeey Matherson family!” She squealed, a huge grin plastered on her face. “You’ll never in a gazillion years guess who just showed up at the site! Oh my God! I still can’t believe it and I’m right here living it! Just – oh my God!”                    

The Matherson’s all eyed her in confusion, wondering just what exactly had her so excited.                     

“Mommy, why’s she so excited?” Rachel asked her mother, as they watched Lena continue to freak out for a few more minutes.                    

  “I don’t know, Hunny. But it must be something pretty big she has to tell us,” Lauren replied. “I’m sure she’ll tell us in a moment.”                    

“Lena, what is it?!?!” Carla demanded, curiosity killing her.                     

“Yeah, tell us Lena!” Becca and Joanna agreed. “We wanna know!”                    

“Oh my God! You guys are going to freak out!” Lena told them. “I just – wow! This is so amazing!”                    

“Lena! Tell them already, love!” Ed could be heard laughing in the background.                    

“Just – look!” Lena shrieked, pointing off to her right, as the camera turned that way.                     

The five girls began screaming hysterically soon as the camera landed upon the Backstreet Boys. They couldn’t believe their eyes! The Backstreet Boys were standing on their front lawn!                    

“I said you’d freak out!” Lena chirped, suddenly appearing back on screen. “Seems Ty’s got tricks up his sleeve, even though he’s not here this week. Just – dude!”                    

They watched as Lena waved her arms in the direction of the Backstreet Boys frantically, laughing some.                    

“Can you believe it? They’re standing on your front lawn! The Backstreet Boys are in front of your house! Dude, I wish they’d come to mine!” Lena exclaimed, then leaned in like she was whispering to the girls on camera. “Though, I think if they came to our house, I’d never let them leave! Ty would have four extra permanent houseguests  – haha! “                    

The Matherson’s all laughed at her, especially since they could see the Boys making faces at the camera as they stood behind her.                    

Lena turned to face the Boys then, still grinning like crazy. “Um…y’all can talk to ‘em if you’d like. I’m gonna go over there,” she pointed to her left. “And finish freaking out quietly. Well, as quiet as I can be. Hehe.”                    

The Backstreet Boys and Matherson’s laughed, knowing they were probably still going to be able to hear her.                     

“How y’all doing?” Brian questioned the family that was currently live on screen for them to see. “Having fun in California?”                    

“We’re having a good time,” Lauren answered for her daughters, who suddenly seemed unable to speak. “You boys should come to our place more often – I’ve never heard them so quiet before.”                    

Brian laughed, as did the others. “Well, I think we might be here for a little while to help out. I’m not sure what our schedule says at the moment though.”                    

“So who has a favourite Backstreet Boy?” Nick smirked, curious to hear their answers. “Curious minds would like to know.”                    

“Brian!” Joanna chirped eagerly. “Just like Lena.”                    

“Howie,” Carla admitted.                     

“Nick!” Rachel grinned. “He’s sooo hot!”                    

“Rachel!” Krystal exclaimed, as their mother laughed. “Um…I like Brian.”                    

“I’ve always liked Kevin,” Lauren shrugged. “Even though he’s not with y’all anymore, he’s still my favourite.”                    

Becca just stood staring at the screen, her mouth still slightly agape in shock.                     

Her sisters all giggled, as they looked at her. They were quite surprised too, but had still managed to talk – it was funny that the family’s chatterbox was now absolutely speechless.                    

“Becca likes A.J.,” Carla said finally, still giggling a little bit. “I think we should keep him; she’s never this quiet!”                    

Becca blushed crimson then, turning and running off screen.                    

“Carla!” Lauren admonished.                     

“What? It’s true,” Carla replied. “And you basically said the same thing!”                    

Lauren shook her head, rolling her eyes slightly. She looked back at the Boys via live video. “Don’t worry, she’ll be fine.”                    

“If you don’t mind, we’d like to sing something for you guys,” Howie stated, laughing as Lena’s excited squeals could be heard in the background then. “Is there any particular song you’d like to hear?”                    

“Daddy’s favourite one!” Rachel exclaimed. “I Wanna It That Way!”                    

The four Boys chuckled at her title, unable to be anything but amused by it.                    

“Sure thing, Sweetheart,” A.J. smiled. “Anything for a little doll face like you.”                    

Rachel beamed at that, as she stood tall and proud.                     

The Boys rehearsed briefly, getting their vocals right, then began to sing the song that had been requested. 

You are, my fire
The one, desire

Believe when I say

I want it that way
                    

Lena could be heard squealing yet again, while Krystal and Joanna tried to contain themselves a little better. 

But we are two worlds apart
Can’t reach to your heart

When you say

That I want it that way
                    

“My Nicky’s singin’!” Rachel cheered. “That my Nicky!” 

Tell me why
Ain’t nothin’ but a heartache

Tell me why

Ain’t nothin’ but a mistake

Tell me why

I never wanna hear you say

I want it that way
                    

The girls and Lauren sang along a little bit, though they were all a bit misty-eyed as they thought of how George used to always sing along with the chorus. He knew better than to sing with any of the Boys individually, or else his daughters and wife would eyeball him like he was crazy. 

Am I, your fire?
Your one, desire

Yes, I know

That it’s too late

But I want it that way
                    

Becca could be seen sneaking back onto the camera, as A.J. sang his part. She might’ve been a little embarrassed and feeling shy, but there was no way she’d miss him singing his part!  

Tell me why
Ain’t nothin’ but a heartache

Tell me why

Ain’t nothin’ but a mistake

Tell me why

I never wanna hear you say

I want it that way
                                      

Krystal wiped the tears from her eyes, as she thought of her father and how much she missed him singing along to this song. 

Lauren wiped her eyes as well, as she half-laughed, thinking of all the times her husband had mixed the Boys up, only for the girls to correct him.

Joanna clung to Carla, as she thought of how they were supposed to see the Boys, but never got to do so because of whoever had started that stupid fire. She felt a little angry that their special night had been stolen from them, because someone decided to be stupid.

Now I can see that we’ve fallen apart
From the way that it used to be
Yeah
No matter the distance
I want you to know
That deep down inside of me
         

You are my fire
The one, desire
You are, you are, you are, you are, you are…

Carla grinned as Howie sang not only Kevin’s part, but his as well. The only good thing about Kevin not being there anymore, was that her Howard got to sing a little more than before. Though, she did miss Kevin being in the group.

Rachel began to dance as she kept singing along, feeling quite happy to do so. She loved to sing and dance along to the Backstreet Boys more than anything!

Soon the song was finished, and the Boys wrapped up their conversation with the Matherson’s. Once that was done, Lena eagerly grabbed onto Brian and Nick once more.

“Right this way Boys!” She told them. “It’s my room you’re gonna wanna be helping with.”

“Lena, you have to share them, love,” Ed chuckled. “Let them help out where they’d like to help out.”

“Fine,” Lena sighed dramatically. “Go wherever you’d like, Howie, A.J. I’ll grab you later, promise.”

“Oh, I can feel the love,” A.J. laughed. “C’mon D. Let’s go check out the house, then meet up with them.”

“Works for me,” Howie shrugged. “Catch you later, Lena.”

Lena smirked over at Ed. “There, I’m sharing. Happy now?”

Ed laughed some more. “Good enough, love. Good enough.”

Lena flashed him a broad grin, then continued to lead Brian and Nick to where her tent was set up

“You’re going to love my room!” She enthused. “It’s got your names all over it. Well, more like your faces – haha.”

Brian and Nick shook their heads; both wearing amused grins upon their faces. Ty had warned them she’d be clingy and extremely talkative – and so far, she was proving him right.

 

Deprivation by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

 Even though I didn't get any reviews last time, I decided to post again anyway. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Matherson’s, Timbers Construction, & story idea. Everyone else owns themselves & ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Thank-you!

Day five was a nice, bright and sunny day. A wonderful day to accomplish lots of things that needed to get done before the family came home in two days.

 

                Lena was in her tent still, having had been up most of the night once more – not that anyone had fully caught on yet. Though, she was beginning to think that Ed was getting a little suspicious just by his early morning comments. He’d come by to check on things, then him and Johnny would head on over to their site, where they were rebuilding the family’s shelter that had burned down. It was routine now, and as much as she loved the man, she was starting to wish he’d quit asking her so many questions. It was hard to come up with lies when she was too tired to think.

 

                “Beds are almost done, beds are almost done,” she chanted to herself quietly. “Oh, the beds are almost done…”

 

                “Talking to yourself again, are you?” Brian commented, as he entered her tent with Nick. The two of them had been helping her out with the beds, while A.J. and Howie helped out wherever they were needed on the site.

 

                “Maybe,” Lena smirked, stifling a yawn. “But I was sure I was singing that in my head. Guess not.”

 

                He watched as she shrugged, before turning the one machine on, to engrave more song titles into the bedposts leading up to a canopy. He saw her start to move the post, but also noticed she wasn’t wearing her goggles.

 

                “Hey, Kiddo, you need your goggles!” He told her, over the noise of the machine.

 

                “Oh, right,” Lena replied, yanking them down over her eyes. Her hard hat was still on her head, as she’d never taken it off to begin with. “Thanks.”

 

                Brian and Nick both eyed one another, having a feeling something wasn’t adding up. They could tell by the way she kept yawning, and how she seemed to be a little out of it.

 

                Nick finally went and turned the machine off. “Hey, why don’t you let us work on these? “You can work on the wallpaper and fabrics. Those have to get done soon, don’t they?”

 

                “Oh, right,” Lena nodded, backing away from the machine and sliding her work gloves off. “Knew I was forgetting something.”

 

                “You alright, Kiddo?” Brian questioned.

 

                “Hmm…? Yeah, I’m fine,” Lena yawned, as she sat on the one stool to look over her plans for the wallpaper. “You think I should add a few more lyrics to the wallpaper? Or just leave them as is?”

 

                “How many different lyrics do you have on the wallpaper now?” Nick asked, coming to peer over her shoulder. “Hey, that’s an N’SYNC song!”

 

                “What? Where?” Lena demanded, suddenly becoming more alert. “There’s no way I put an N’SYNC song in there!”

 

                “Right there!” Nick insisted pointing to the one set of lyrics. “You’re all I ever wanted. You’re all I ever needed, yeah. So tell me what to do now, when I want you back.”

 

                “Damn it all!” Lena exclaimed, slamming a fist down on the table angrily. “As if I screwed that up!”

 

                “Relax,” Brian told her. “You can still change it. It’s not like you sent this off to have it printed yet or anything. Though, you should probably do that at some point today, otherwise it won’t get done.”

 

                Lena cursed silently under her breath, as she erased the N’SYNC lyric that had managed to escape her. “Well, give me an idea as to what to replace it with, Nick. God, do I have to do everything?”

 

                “I’m not going to help you if you keep snapping at me,” Nick replied. “I don’t take that crap off my siblings, and I’m not going to take it off an eleven-year-old.”

 

                “Oh, fuck you,” Lena snapped, rolling her eyes in annoyance.

 

                “Hey now!” Brian exclaimed. “There’s no need for that kind of language!”

 

                “You’re not my boss,” Lena answered smartly.

 

                “I may not be, but I can easily go get Paulie and tell him you’re getting mouthy. I’m sure he’ll do something about it,” Brian stated. Ty had told them that Paul was in charge of Lena while he was away and to report any problems to him.

 

                “No! No, don’t tell Paulie, please!” Lena pleaded, her eyes suddenly filling with tears. “I’m sorry. I’m just having a rough morning.”

 

                “Seems you had a rough night too,” Nick commented as she stifled yet another yawn. “When was the last time you slept?”

 

                “I slept just fine,” Lena lied. “So back off, alright?”

 

                Brian moved towards the door of the tent causing Lena to spring off her stool and grab hold of his arm. “Please Brian! Don’t get Paulie. I promise I will try and be nicer.”

 

                “Then start telling us the truth,” Brian said. “I have a seven-year-old. I know when I’m being lied too. I’m not stupid and neither is Nick.”

 

                “I haven’t slept much, alright?” Lena sighed heavily, as her stomach growled in protest. “I wanted to get this stuff done, and I can’t do that if I’m sleeping!”

 

                “Or eating?” Nick countered. “When was the last time you ate?”

 

                Lena looked sheepish then. “I don’t remember,” she admitted quietly. “Please, please don’t tell Paulie! I don’t want him to go grab my attitude adjuster! I just wanted to finish this room for Carla and Joanna! I just wanted to do a good job, as team leader! Please!”

 

                “Kiddo, you have to eat,” Nick told her. “I’m going to go grab some food and you’d better eat it.”

 

                “I will, I promise,” Lena assured him. “I don’t think I can go much longer without anyway.”

 

                “You shouldn’t have gone this long without in the first place, Lena,” Brian scolded. “It’s not healthy and very dangerous! What if you’d passed out while using one of the power tools! You could’ve chopped something off!”

 

                “I’m sorry,” Lena apologized softly, her tears starting to fall against her will. “I just wanted things go to perfect.”

 

                Brian shook his head. “You’re going to eat the food Nick gets you, then you’re going to lie down and get some rest.”

 

                “But I have to finish my room! I’ve got to get the wallpaper sent off, and the fabrics picked out and the bedposts done!” Lena protested. “I can’t do that while asleep!”

 

                “And you can’t very well do a decent job while falling asleep either, now can you?” Brian argued. “You either take the nap as suggested or I will go get Paulie, Lena. I’m not going to stand by and let you hurt yourself.”

 

                “I can’t sleep on the bus though,” Lena pointed out. “Because Paulie will figure it out for sure then.”

 

                “Then you can lie somewhere in here,” Brian answered. “So long as you can sleep to the sound of power tools.”

 

                “I think right now I could sleep through a foghorn,” Lena answered honestly, yawning loudly.

 

                Brian shook his head. “I get the feeling you’re extremely glad Ty isn’t here right now.”

 

                “You’ve no idea,” Lena told him. “I hate disappointing him. I feel like such an idiot.”

 

                “You know he’s going to have to be told, right?” Brian said firmly. “I’m not going to keep secrets from him. If he asks me, I will tell him; same with Paulie. I’m not going to cover for you, and neither is Nick.”

 

                “I know,” Lena sighed heavily. “I just wish there was a way to avoid that evil attitude adjuster.”

 

                “Eat first, then we’ll discuss things,” Nick told her, as he entered the tent once more. “And here, I got you a ham and cheese sub.”

 

                “Thanks,” Lena whispered, taking it from him gratefully. “I’m sorry.”

 

                Both Brian and Nick shook their heads, as they carried on a silent conversation with one another through eye contact. They knew something had been up, but hadn’t figured she’d have been depriving herself of such essentials.

 

                Soon enough, Lena was done and lay fast asleep on the one bed she’d built. They’d found some pillows lying around the tent and she was currently lying atop them snoring softly. Her face was tear-stained, but that was mostly from being over-tired and the scolding Brian and Nick had both given her for being so reckless.

 

                Once she was asleep the two Boys went about finishing up her projects for her. Brian continued to work on the bedposts, while Nick went about putting the finishing touches on her wallpaper design.

 

                “I’m going to go find out whom I’m supposed to give this too,” Nick informed his best friend. “I hope they manage to get this wallpaper done in time, as I can tell Lena put a great deal of thought into it. She just got a bit caught up in other things too.”

 

                “I’m sure if you ask Paulie, he can help you out,” Brian suggested. “Though, if he asks where Lena is, well, she’s busy right now and is not to be disturbed.”

 

                “I’ll just tell him we’ve something secretive going on, and not to worry, since she’s got adult supervision,” Nick replied, as he headed for the tent opening.

 

                “Coming from you Frack, I doubt he’d find that very re-assuring,” Brian laughed, ducking as Nick threw a wad of paper at him.

 

                Nick shook his head, as he sent off in search of Paul, and whomever he was supposed to give this wallpaper design too.

               

                “Hey Nick,” Paul smiled, spotting the younger man. “How’re things going? Lena’s not giving you guys too much trouble, is she?”

 

                “Nah, she’s fine,” Nick assured him. “We’re working on a secret project, so we’re hoping to not be disturbed any.”

 

                “Then what brings you out here?” Paul asked curiously, eyeing him.

 

                “Lena asked me to give her wallpaper design to the right people, but she never said who the right people were,” Nick answered smoothly, shrugging slightly. “Seems she forgot to do that yesterday.”

 

                Paul groaned. “Figures the Kid would forget to do something,” he said, taking the design from Nick. “I’ll give it to the right people and see that it gets done. Other than the wallpaper, how’re the other designs coming along?”

 

                “Everything should be done in two days,” Nick smiled. “No need to worry. She’s got us helping her out now.”

 

                “I’m just glad she finally let someone into that tent of hers,” Paul admitted. “I was getting a bit worried about her. Ed mentioned briefly in passing this morning that she was looking a bit exhausted.”

 

                “We’ll look out for her,” Nick guaranteed. “Trust me. Brian’s a father himself, so he knows all about those kinds of worries.”

 

                “Alright,” Paul nodded. “Well, I’d best get this off to the right people.”

 

                “And I’d best get back into that tent before Frick and Lena skin me alive,” Nick laughed, turning to go back to Lena’s designated tent. “Later Paulie!”

 

                “Later,” Paul waved, as he headed off to get Lena’s wallpaper design under way.

 

~~~~~

 

                Later that day, Lena awoke from her nap, wincing as she sat up on the pillows she’d been lying on. She had hoped beyond all hope that she’d only dreamed Brian and Nick had caught her in her lies, but to no avail. She stood, stretching and yawning loudly, as she glanced around the tent only to find it empty. Where had Brian and Nick gone? They’d promised to work on her projects while she’d slept!

 

                “God, I am so tired,” Lena grumbled to herself, as she eyed the bedposts that lie on the one workbench. “Wow! They finished most these! How long was I asleep?”

 

                “Quite awhile,” Brian answered, as he entered the tent. “It’s past dinner, and Nick’s gone to grab us all some food. I was just coming in here to wake you.”

 

                “Oh, thank-you,” Lena smiled gratefully, as she went over and hugged her favourite Backstreet Boy. “You guys did an amazing job on those bedposts. Thank-you for all your help. I never would’ve finished them on time, though I like to keep telling Paulie otherwise.”           

 

                Brian chuckled as he returned her hug. “We said we’d work on things while you slept. What’d you think we’d do? Just sit around singing or something?”

 

                “You guys singing is a good thing,” Lena giggled. “There’s practically nothing I enjoy more.”

 

                Brian ruffled her hair. “You’re a good kid, Lena. Don’t let anyone ever tell you otherwise, alright?”

 

                “Oh, I won’t,” Lena smirked. “Believe me. I strongly object to anyone telling me otherwise.”

 

                “Dinner’s here!” Nick exclaimed as he came into the tent carrying two trays of food. “Pizza night, so it seems. I love pizza!”

 

                “Me too!” Lena grinned, running over to help him with the trays. “Pizza is the greatest food ever invented!”

 

                Brian and Nick both laughed, as they nodded their agreement, each taking a seat on one of the stools inside the tent. Lena chose to sit on the pillows that still lie upon the one bed, as the pillows were much more comfortable than the stools.

 

                “Oh! I just got a brilliant idea!” Lena chirped around a mouthful of pizza. She swallowed her mouthful, then continued. “What if we held a benefit concert and raised some money for the family? For like, bills and the shelter and stuff. Though, I think Johnny said CVS or someone was donating money for the shelter.”

 

                “Let me guess, you want us to sing,” Brian smirked, his eyes twinkling.

 

                Lena smiled coyly. “Why of course not! Why would you ever assume such a thing?”

 

                “Because we can draw in huge crowds and fans will pay crazy amounts of money just to see us,” Nick commented, as he took another bite of his pizza. “Besides, I’m sure the girls would love to tell everyone we performed in their front yard.”

 

                Lena giggled. “Well, I’d love to be able to say that too – only, that’s never going to happen.”

 

                “Never say never,” Brian winked, causing the young girl to smile again. “You never know where we may pop up.”

 

                “When would we hold this concert though?” Nick asked. “Before or after the family comes home?”

 

                “Um…What if we held it before they come home?” Lena suggested. “So this way they can’t protest to the money being raised for them. And so they’ll have more time to enjoy their new house when they get home. You can still sing for them and stuff if you’d like – if you’re still here on day seven.”

 

                “Do you really think we’re going to go anywhere, Kiddo?” Brian asked. “They’d have to drag us away kicking and screaming.”

 

                “Literally,” Nick smirked, winking at Lena, causing her to giggle some more. “I’m sure Howie and A.J. would agree too. We want very much to meet the Matherson’s in person.”

 

                “Sweet!” Lena exclaimed. “Well, I better go run this by Paulie and the producer and everyone. Otherwise there’s no sense in getting excited over anything.”

 

                She went to leave the tent, only to pause and look back at them. “Um…. could we maybe plan an opening act too?”

 

                “Sure, who do you have in mind?” Brian asked.

 

                “You have to swear to keep this a secret,” Lena pleaded.

 

                “We’re good at those, as you know,” Nick reminded her. “So, spill.”

 

                “I’d like to sing a little something I wrote,” Lena admitted. “Just – I’ve never sung for anyone before and am so nervous about doing so…but I wrote this song specifically for the Matherson’s.”

 

                “Sure, we can do that,” Brian nodded, as did Nick. “We’ll even help you out if you’d like.”

 

                “No, that’s okay,” Lena said softly. “I’ve got to figure this one out on my own. I just wish Ty could be here for it, that’s all. Speaking of which, remind me to call him later and give him an earful for not calling me today. He promised to call.”

 

                “Sure thing,” Nick laughed. “Now, go on and plan your concert. We’ll inform Howie and A.J. of it, but keep your little secret.”

 

                “Thank-you,” Lena told them sincerely. “For everything. You guys really are the greatest! Howie and A.J. too, though I haven’t seen very much of them.”

 

                “No problemo,” both Boys replied, unable to do anything other than smile at her. They really did like the kid – even if she did tend to get a little mouthy at times.

 

Change by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

It worked! It worked! *screams & jumps for joy* If you're wondering just what it was that worked - the spacing! Last time I went to post, html screwed everything up, then the site decided to quit on me after I'd spent an hour trying to fix the spacing. Anyways, on with the story! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Mathersons, Timbers Construction, & story idea. ABC owns Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, & everyone else owns themselves.

Song Disclaimers: 'Change' is written by Katrina Elam, Josh Kear, and Chris Tompkins. Sung by Carrie Underwood. 'Larger Than Life' & 'Lose It All' belong to the Backstreet Boys. Thanks!

 

 

It was the evening of day six – also the evening of the benefit concert Lena had suggested the night before. Everyone had agreed, and since the Backstreet Boys were already there, all they had to do was get the Backstreet band there, and set up a stage for their performance.  

 

            The furniture had all mostly been moved in, and they were going to finish moving the rest in a little later, since they were still ahead of schedule.

 

 Lena’s room now had wallpaper, which had been worked on all day, with plenty of help, as she’d caved and requested it. All that was left to do were the finishing touches, and those could wait just a little longer – they’d a concert to do!

 

            The stage was set and the Backstreet Boys were ready to perform for everyone who’d showed up to support the Matherson family. The only one not ready at all, was Lena. She was a nervous wreck, though no one but Brian and Nick knew why.

 

            “Hey Kiddo, how’s it going?” Brian asked, placing a hand upon her shoulder as he came up from behind her. “You ready for this?”

 

            Lena gulped nervously. “What if…what if you guys sang a bit first? Then I could go on later?”

 

            “If you’d like,” Brian shrugged. “You can go on whenever you want. This is your concert, technically.”

 

            Lena gave a small laugh. “I’m not the main attraction. They showed up to see y’all and help the family. I’m a nobody, technically.”

 

            “Kid, you’re definitely not a nobody,” Nick commented, coming to stand on the other side of her. “You’ve a few fans out there yourself.”

 

            Lena shrugged, not so sure of that. “Well, I’d better get out there and introduce y’all. Can’t keep the fans waiting.”

 

            “But aren’t…” Nick trailed off, as he caught Brian’s eye. “Oh. Okay.”

 

            Lena eyed them both curiously. “Y’all got weird connections,” she smiled. “If my best friend and I ever learn to talk to one another with our eyes, I think we’d be as good as friends as y’all.”

 

            “Go on,” Brian smiled, nudging her towards the stage. “Fans are chanting.”

 

            Lena giggled, as she hurried on out onto the stage, in her blue jeans and Backstreet Boys hoodie. “Good afternoon, Lexington!”

 

            The crowd cheered, as they figured the concert to now be starting. Many fans had showed up just to see the Backstreet Boys mostly, but also to help out the Matherson family.

 

            “We’ve a special treat for y’all today,” Lena continued. “I’m sure by now you all know the story of the Matherson family and how they lost someone very dear to them. Well, the Backstreet Boys heard their story and came here to help them out. Needless to say, the family was as excited as I was to see them!”

 

            Lena giggled some then, as she thought back to how she’d reacted upon seeing the Boys. “Anyways, I guess I’d best let them out onto this stage before y’all start a riot or something. Here are the Backstreet Boys!”

 

            The crowd cheered enthusiastically, going absolutely crazy for the group they’d all come to see. Moments after Lena ran off the stage the Backstreet Boys came running on out, causing their audience to scream even louder than they had before.

 

I may run and hide

When you’re screaming my name

Alright

 

            Brian began singing immediately, as him and the other three began to dance.

 

But let me tell you now

There are prices to fame

Alright

 

            Nick continued, grinding his body to the music, causing most the fans to go nuts. He smirked, as they began the chorus.

 

All you people

Can’t you see, can’t you see?

How you’re love’s affecting our reality

Every time we’re down

You can make it right

And that makes you

Larger than life

 

            The concert continued on, as the crowd placed money in baskets that were being passed around or where Paige sat with a donation bin. So far, everything was becoming overflowed quickly and the baskets were being returned to Michael, who was putting the money into a safe spot. They also had the police there to keep things in order and to ensure nobody tried to steal the money being raised for the family.

 

            About halfway through the show, Brian stopped unexpectedly right in the middle of a song. Howie and A.J. eyed him in confusion, though Nick smirked, as he knew what his best friend was up to.

 

            “Okay, I don’t know about y’all, but I need a break,” Brian began, eying his band mates. “I think it’s high time someone else came up here and sang instead. What do you think, Frack?”

 

            “I totally agree, Frick,” Nick nodded, as he spotted someone in the crowd who was technically not supposed to be there. “I say we let someone else have the spotlight for a bit.”

 

            “What are you guys up to now?” Howie asked, eying them curiously.

 

            “It can’t be good if you two are behind it,” A.J. teased. “What prank have you planned now?”

 

            “Relax, it wasn’t even our idea,” Nick insisted.

 

            “Yeah, so you’ve nothing to worry about,” Brian grinned. “Okay audience, who’s ready for someone else to take over?”

 

            “Boo!” The fans voiced their complaints.

 

            “Now, now, no need to boo,” Brian told them. “This person is nervous enough as is, and already asked to be moved back – they were supposed to be our opening act.”

 

            “Yeah, now c’mon! Show some love for Lena Pennington!” Nick exclaimed, waving for the young girl to come back up on stage. “Don’t make me have to come get you, Lena.”

 

            “I know how to walk Nicky,” Lena replied, as she stole Howie’s microphone. “Though, a ride is always welcomed.”

 

            Nick smirked, raising his eyebrows at her. “Maybe later, Kiddo.”

 

            Lena shook her head, as she moved to stand at the front of the stage. She eyed the crowd uneasily, suddenly not so sure about her decision to sing what she’d written. Yes, she loved to be the center of attention and on camera all the time – but when it came to singing, well, she was rather shy; which was why she only ever semi-sang anything when other people were around. If she managed to do this, she’d definitely be stepping out of her comfort zone.

 

              “You can do this,” Nick told her, not bothering to use his microphone, as he only meant for her to hear anyway. “There’s no need to be scared.”

 

            “Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and sing,” Brian added, as he too held his microphone away from him so no one else would hear.  “Go for it, Kiddo. Now’s your chance.”

 

            Lena gulped nervously, finally bringing the microphone up so people could hear her.

 

            “Um… I’d like to sing something I wrote this week. I hope y’all like it,” she squeaked, casting a glance over at the band who already had the sheet music.

 

             She watched as the Backstreet Boys quickly vacated the stage, silently wishing they’d come back and not leave her standing there all by her lonesome. The music began, and after swallowing one last gulp, she began to sing.

 

Whatcha gonna do with the 36 cents

Sticky with coke on your floorboard

When a woman on the street is huddled in the cold

On a side-walk vent trying to keep warm

 

            Lena blushed a little bit, as she realized she was a bit pitchy and her nerves were getting the best of her. Figured she’d go and ruin her one moment to shine in the limelight.

 

Do you call her over, hand her the change

Ask her, her story, ask her, her name

Or do you tell yourself

 

            Lena took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and cast her nerves aside, putting more power into her voice. With her eyes closed, she didn’t see the look of surprise on everyone’s faces.

 

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

            She opened her eyes once more, as she began to move around the stage a little bit.

 

Oh, Whatcha gonna do when you’re watching T.V.

And an ad comes on, yeah you know the kind

Flashing up pictures of a child in need

For a dime a day, you could save a life

 

            She reached out into the crowd as she sang the next part.

 

Do you call the number, reach out a hand

Or do you change the channel, call it a scam

Or do you tell yourself

 

            She looked out at everyone, as she continued on, her nerves now gone.

 

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

Don’t listen to ‘em when they say

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

Oh, the smallest thing can make all the difference

Love is alive, don’t listen to ‘em when the say

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

            She sang into the one camera next, her feelings clearly displayed upon her face.

 

The world’s so big it can break your heart

And you just want to help, not sure where to start

So you close your eyes, and send a prayer up into the dark

 

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

Don’t listen to ‘em when they say

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

Oh, the smallest thing can make all the difference

Love is alive, don’t you listen to ‘em when they say

You’re just a fool

Just a fool, to believe you can change the world

 

            Lena finished the song to thunderous applause. She blushed crimson, not believing she just sang in front of the world.

 

            “Thank-you,” she spoke softly, unaware that someone had walked on stage and was currently standing there watching her. “I’m glad y’all like it.”

 

            “It was wonderful, Kiddo,” the person spoke, causing her to whirl around in surprise.

 

            “TY!” Lena screamed, dropping her microphone and running for him. God, how she had missed him this week! “What’re you doing here?!?”

 

            “Surprise,” Ty laughed, catching her as she leapt at him, and hugging her close. “I got a little phone call from two people who were supposed to be keeping this secret.”

 

            “Well, I’m glad they blabbed,” Lena laughed, squealing slightly, as she hugged him once more. “I missed you!”

 

            Everyone there watched as she literally hung off Ty. It wasn’t often she was so open about her affection for the man who had taken her in, when he didn’t have to do so.

 

            Ty chuckled, as he carried her off the stage, so the Boys could take over once more. He was glad they’d blabbed her secret to him too, or he would’ve missed out on her very first performance ever.

 

            “So I take it the house is almost done,” he commented. “I mean, since you’re having a concert and everything.”

 

            “Still ahead of schedule,” Lena nodded. “So I found a good way to use that little extra bit of time. Though, this concert will only kill about an hour or an hour and a half, so we’ll still be ahead of everything.”

 

            “Looks like you’re doing a great job, Kiddo,” Ty smiled. “I told you, you would.”

 

            Lena smiled in return. “And I’m glad you had faith. Paulie is finally starting to have some too, I think. He told me this morning I was doing a good job as team leader.”

 

            Ty ruffled her hair as she beamed up at him. “So do I get to see this room of yours?”

           

            “Nope,” Lena shook her head. “Abigail gets first viewing, then the family. You can wait to see it on T.V. like everyone else.”

 

            “They don’t show everything on T.V. though,” Ty reminded her. “I want to see it all, and get the full experience of a Lena Pennington design.”

 

            Lena giggled. “Well, maybe you can help us carry in some lamps and stuff. The wallpaper’s finished though, thank God.”

 

            “And the rest of the house?”

 

            “I think we got most the stuff moved in earlier,” Lena replied. “And if not, well, that’s what this evening is for and all of tomorrow, until the family arrives. I said we were way ahead.”

 

            “Lenaaaa,” Nick called her via his microphone. “We need you onstage. We’ve a surprise for you.”

 

            “For me?” Lena repeated, looking at Ty in confusion.

 

            Ty shrugged. “I just got here in time to see you sing.”

 

            Lena shrugged in return, then headed out onto the stage once more.

 

            “Yes, Nicky? You called?”

 

            Nick smirked. “Come sing with us.”

 

            “Really?” Lena exclaimed. “You want me to sing with you?”

 

            “That’s what he said, isn’t it?” A.J. laughed.

 

            Lena poked her tongue out at the tattooed rebel, as she moved closer to Nick.

 

“What’re we going to sing?”

 

“What song do you want to sing?” Howie asked her, knowing this wasn’t exactly their entire surprise. They’d something else up their sleeves as well.

 

“Um… Lose It All?” Lena suggested. “I like that one. Kevin’s part rocks!”

 

“You heard her,” Brian told the band, who immediately began to play the song.

 

“You sing the chorus with us, and Kevin’s part,” Nick told her. “You can be Kevin today.”

 

“Sweet!” Lena giggled.

 

They sang the song perfectly, and finally it was Lena’s turn to sing Kevin’s part – the part she loved best.

 

Don’t change a thing

You’re perfect as you are

 

Time has a way

And time is all I’ve got

 

            Lena’s eyes went wide as saucers, as she heard a voice join her in singing – a voice she had never expected to hear! She turned, her jaw dropping open in shock, as she spotted Kevin Richardson walking out on stage.

 

If my heart should shatter watching you

There’ll be one less thing I have to prove

 

            Kevin finished singing his part, and smiled at her, though she’d stopped singing. He winked at her, then whispered to her quietly.

 

            “Keep singing. Don’t stop on my account.”

 

            Lena gave a small laugh, mixed with a small squeal. What luck! Kevin had showed up for the concert! Boy, were the Matherson’s ever going to be surprised! Even more than when it was just four Backstreet Boys – now they had all five!

 

And if I’d lose it all

There’ll be nothing left to lose

And I would take the fall

‘Cause knowing that you are out there breathing

It’s so wonderful

It’s a chance I’ll take

Even if I break and

Lose it all

Lose it all

It wouldn’t matter anyway

 

            Once the song was over, Lena began squealing and jumping some more. This day just couldn’t get any better, even if it tried! She was ecstatic, and happier than she’d ever been in her life! Well, other than when Ty finally decided to adopt her, that is.

 

            “Well, that’s our show folks!” Lena told the audience, once she’d calmed down some. “We’d like to thank y’all for coming out and supporting the Matherson family. We can never thank you enough for all the help we’ve received. Thank-you Lexington, for welcoming us with open arms! And thank-you so very much for everything you’ve done to help out the Matherson’s! We love you all and hope you’ve a good night!”

 

            Soon everyone in blue was back to working on the house, while Lena and Paige sat on the bus, counting the money that’d been raised for the family. Paige, because she’d been put in charge of the money, and Lena because she’d been told to get ready for bed – and with Ty there, there was no way she was going to protest those orders. Besides, she enjoyed spending time with Paige.

 

            “So, how much did we make?” Lena asked, stifling a yawn. It was rather late in the evening now, as it’d taken awhile to get the stage down and the rest of the furniture into the house. “Did we make enough for them to go back to Disneyland?”

 

            “We’ve made enough for them to go to Disneyland as much as they’d like for a little while,” Paige laughed. “Seems Backstreet fans, and the people of Lexington are quite generous.”

 

            “Us fans have got to stick together,” Lena told her matter-of-factly. “It’s what we do. It’s why Backstreet fans are the best in the world.”

 

            “I won’t argue with you there,” Paige smiled. “But only because I happen to know one of those fans personally.”

 

            Lena smiled back at her. “Besides, Lexington is the hometown of two of the Backstreet Boys – it’d look bad if people didn’t show up for the concert.”

 

            Paige shook her head. “I bet you used that to its full advantage too.”

 

            “You better believe it!” Lena smirked. “I know how to work people.”

 

            “Well, work on them in the morning,” Ty spoke as he boarded the bus. “It’s time for bed.”

 

            Lena scowled, though she didn’t argue. She was tired, and she had promised Brian and Nick she wouldn’t deprive herself of sleep anymore.

 

            “Oh, all right,” she grumbled slightly. “But I’m not happy about it.”

 

            “I never said you had to be happy about it,” Ty replied. “Just that you had to get to bed. You’ll want to be up early tomorrow, if I know you.”

 

            “Yeah, yeah,” Lena waved him off. “Night Paige. And thanks for counting the money with me.”

 

            “Night,” Paige told her, as she put all the money back into the bus safe. “Have fun Ty.”

 

            Ty smiled at her as she left the bus, then locked the doors so they wouldn’t be disturbed. He wasn’t as tired as Lena, but he did want to spend some alone time with her. And he knew he’d never get that if she stayed out there helping, as she’d be clinging to the Backstreet Boys some more.

 

            “So, Kiddo, what movie do you want to watch?” He questioned, as he joined her in the backroom, where she was already curled up on the couch. “Your pick.”

 

            Lena smiled tiredly. “Ninja Turtles is good. I think it’s still in the DVD player.”

 

            Ty nodded and joined her on the couch, hitting the play button.

 

            Lena switched positions, so she could lean against Ty instead of the arm of the couch.

 

            “You make a much better pillow,” she commented, as she curled up against him. “I’m glad you’re here.”

 

            “I’m glad too,” Ty answered, draping an arm over her. “Now, hush. The movie’s starting.”

Homecoming by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

Though no one reviewed the last chapter, I decided to post this one anyway. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Mathersons, Timbers Contruction, & story idea. ABC owns Extreme Makeover & everyone else owns themselves. BSB owns I Still. Thank-you!

It was at last day seven and time for the family to come home! Everything had been finished to perfection and was ready for the Matherson’s to move on in. There was excitement in the air, and the most hyper one of all was Lena.                 

“God, how long does it take to fly from California to Kentucky!?” Lena exclaimed impatiently. “I want them to be here already!”                

“It’s about a twelve hour flight, Kiddo,” Ty spoke up, from where he stood watching her. “That’s with the layovers and everything. I’d know, since I just came from California myself.”                

Lena groaned. “Someone please tell me they’ve already been on the plane for eleven of those twelve hours!”                               

“Relax love, they’ll be here soon,” Ed laughed. “You sure are an impatient one.”                

“You should know that about her by now, Ed,” Ty chuckled. “She doesn’t like to wait long for something she’s excited about.”                

Lena smiled sweetly at the both of them. “Can you blame me?”                

“No, not really,” Ty replied, shaking his head. “I’m just surprised you’re staked out here by the bus and not latched onto one of the Backstreet Boys.”                

“They promised I could latch on later,” Lena stated matter-of-factly. “Besides, I already hugged each one of them – Kevin included – twice today.”                

Ty laughed at her honesty. “Well, the family will probably be here soon anyway. The families usually get on the planes super early, so they can be here in time for the unveiling.”                

“The family’s almost here!” Paul called out then. “The limo driver called to let us know that they’re just around the corner.”                

“Places everyone!” Lena yelled, though really only she had to get into place.                 

The design team and Timbers Construction workers all moved to stand where the crowd was gathered. The Backstreet Boys meanwhile, stayed hidden on the bus, so the family wouldn’t know that they were still there.                

“I’m proud of you, Kiddo,” Ty praised, before leaving Lena’s side to join the crowd as well.                

Lena smiled some, though she felt a tad guilty. She still hadn’t told him about the secret her, Brian, and Nick still shared. She sighed a little, but then perked back up when the limousine came into view.                

The limousine pulled to a stop in front of her and the family eagerly got out, all hugging her tight as they did so. They were thrilled to be back home and couldn’t wait to see their new house!                

“Hello Matherson family!” Lena exclaimed. “How was your vacation?”                

“Great!” Rachel enthused. “We saw Mickey Mouse!”                

“Sounds fun,” Lena replied, trying not to sound too jealous. She’d always wanted to go to Disney World or Disneyland, but had never been. “Are you excited to be home?”                

“Yeah!” The girls all cheered.                

“Move that bus! Move that bus!” The crowd began to chant excitedly. “Move that bus! Move that bus!”                

“You know what to say, so say it with me,” Lena told them. “Bus driver! Move that bus!”                

The bus driver did as instructed, and the Matherson family began to scream hysterically upon seeing their house.                

The front and back of the two story house had been made of light brown brick and had a brown wooden door and white windows with brown wooden shutters. The sides of the house were made of white brick, to give the house a modern look. It had a small front porch with a black railing and brick steps leading up to the porch. There was also a white brick path leading from the driveway up to the front porch. Two gardens with small trees and flowers had also been placed directly in front of the house, with mulch to make the garden look nice and to keep it healthy. The house looked absolutely wonderful tucked back in amongst the trees on their property.                 

“If you like the house, give a big hug to Jim and Sean Timbers from Timbers Construction,” Lena told the family. “They’ve been here all week helping us work on your house.”                

“Thank-you,” Lauren whispered, hugging first Jim, then Sean, tightly. “Thank-you so much!”                

“It was our pleasure,” Jim replied.                

“We’re glad we could help,” Sean added.                

The girls hugged both men then, also thanking them for their brand new house. They couldn’t believe they had such a wonderful new home, and so far they’d only seen the outside of it.                

“And we can’t forget the design team,” Lena piped up. “Paige, Johnny, Ed, Michael, and Paulie.”                

The family hugged the design team, then turned to eye their house longingly.                

“Matherson family, go check out your new house!” Lena ordered with a big smile. “I think you’ll like what you find.”                

The Matherson family all went running for the front door, screaming excitedly upon opening the door and entering their new house.                                

There was a dining room, with a table big enough for ten, in case they had any friends over. The kitchen was large enough for the whole family to stand in, and they had all brand new top of the line appliances from Sears. The living room was set at the front of the house and to your left upon entering the house. It had a flat screen T.V. and two large couches for them to lounge upon and watch television together as a family. All three rooms were nice vibrant colours, with white borders and went together quite well. There was also a laundry room tucked away near the back door, with a brand new washer and dryer, which had also come from Sears. They also had a main floor bathroom that included a shower as well. Then there was the large winding staircase leading up to the second floor, where the bedrooms were.                

“Wow!” The girls all gasped, as they stood there twirling about in awe, as they tried to take everything in. 

“You like it?” Lena asked, as she entered the house. “Everyone put a whole lot of work into it.”                    

“We love it!” Lauren replied, as she looked around at everything again. “We can never thank-you enough.”                    

Lena tried to stifle her giggles, as the mother hugged her tightly. “Hehe. This is kinda weird. Usually Ty gets all the hugs.”                    

Lauren laughed. “Yes, that he does.”                    

“So, did you see the kitchen?” Lena asked. “You have all brand new, top of the line appliances from Sears!”                    

“It’s the best kitchen I’ve ever seen,” Lauren smiled. “We can bake cookies as a family now, and not in shifts.”                    

“You wanna see more house?” Lena queried, getting a bit excited herself, as she knew Carla and Joanna were going to freak over the room she’d designed  

“Yeah!” They all cheered.

“Matherson family, go check out the rest of your house!” Lena shouted, waving her arms like Ty usually did. She really did look up to the man, whom had taken her in, quite a bit.

The Matherson family all squealed as they went running up the stairs in excitement. Soon loud screams of joy could be heard coming from upstairs.

Rachel and Becca ran into their new room, shrieking upon seeing it. Paige had turned their room into a huge cloud. There were clouds everywhere, along with a huge cloud castle they could play in and sleep in - their beds were the drawbridges. There were also dolls and board games stacked on shelves and tucked into corners. They even had a whole trunk of dress-up clothes, and a mirror to check themselves out in. This room would be fantastic for playing make-believe in! What they liked best though, was the picture of them and their father that had been carefully placed inside one of the clouds on the wall. He truly was looking over them now.

Krystal found her room next, gasping when she saw how much work, thought, and detail Paul had put into it. She had told him she wanted to be a nurse, and he’d run with it. She’d a desk with a laptop upon it, where she could study, as the desk also had nursing books on its shelves. Her bed was circular, and had been hung from the ceiling, so it could sway slightly if she so desired. She’d mentioned how she loved hammocks, so her bed being able to swing slightly like one was awesome in itself. Her walls were a light purple, her absolute favourite colour, and she’d a walk-in closet.  She also loved that he had thoughtfully placed photos of her and her family around the room. Her family was the most important thing in her life – especially after her father had died unexpectedly.

Lauren entered her room next, as she’d been told Carla and Joanna were to find theirs last. Which to her, meant that Lena had done the girls’ room.

“Wow,” she breathed softly, as she took in her room.

It was Italy themed, as she’d mentioned her and George had honeymooned there and had great memories. Her bed had been made to look Italian, and there was a picture of the Leaning Tower of Pisa on the one wall. Two other walls had the streets of Venice, with the water and the gondoliers in the gondolas. It was a beautiful combination of the two places in Italy they had visited. She even had her own bathroom, full with not only a walk-in shower, but a large tub for her to relax in as well.

“So how do you like your room?” Lena asked, as she entered quietly.

“It’s beautiful,” Lauren spoke softly. “It’s absolutely perfect.”

She spotted the wedding photo of her and George on the fourth wall then, and became a little misty-eyed.

“It’s everything I remembered sharing with George,” Lauren told the young host. “Thank-you.”          

“Michael thought you might like a place to not only relax, but to remember George as well,” Lena informed her, shrugging slightly. She wasn’t exactly all that great at dealing with emotions – whether they be her own or not. “Well, there’s still more house to see.”

Lauren nodded, as Lena left the room once more. She knew the young one was excited to show off the room she’d designed, so she didn’t blame her for high-tailing it out of the room.

“Okay girls, I designed your room this week,” Lena told Carla and Joanna. “I felt a connection with you both, and decided to run with it. I hope you like it.”

Carla and Joanna eagerly entered their room, and began screaming hysterically moments later. Every single inch of their room was Backstreet Boys related! The walls had white wallpaper, with lyrics from BSB songs all over them. Their nightstands had been made to look like music notes; one had a photo of Howie, and the other a photo of Brian as the tabletops – Lena’d put garnish and such over the photos to protect them. There was a desk that had CD cases as the legs, and a large autographed photo of BSB as the table part of it, where two laptops sat. The desk chairs were normal like, but had the BSB logo on the backs of them. Also one chair was blue and green and the other purple and yellow. Then there were their beds – both had canopies on them, with BSB song titles carved into the canopy posts. Also, the headboards and footboards had collages of BSB photos on them, and had garnish and such over them for protection. Lena’d also placed a photo of them with their father on each of their nightstands next to some brightly coloured lamps.

“Oh my God!” Carla and Joanna both screamed. “Oh my God!"

“Do you like it?” Lena asked curiously, as she entered the room, a nervous smile upon her face. “I had some help with it.”

“We love it!” Carla and Joanna shrieked, tackling Lena in a hug. “It’s so cool!”

Lena blushed some as she returned their hugs. “Thanks. But c’mon! There’s still more to see!”

She led them out to their backyard, where a tree house and a play structure had been set up. There was also a gazebo, and a hammock, and a porch swing. They also had a little barbecue pit, with chairs and pokers, so they could have barbecues and such with family and friends. 

“Awesome!” Rachel and Becca squealed, both running for the play structure.

“Well, have you liked everything so far?” Lena wanted to know, partly wishing she could go and join Becca and Rachel on the play equipment.

“Yes, we have,” Lauren replied, as Krystal nodded her agreement. “Everything has just been lovely.”

“There’s still more to see,” Lena smiled. “Let’s go for a little bus ride.”

She waited a moment, knowing the Backstreet Boys were sneaking off the bus and were going to hide inside the house until they returned. Once she was given the signal, she led the Matherson family out to the bus, where they all climbed aboard and headed for where their shelter was.

“Ed and Johnny had a special project this week,” Lena told the family. “They decided to rebuild your shelter."

The family gasped as they climbed off the bus, quite surprised to find a brand new shelter. 

“Everything has been stocked up, and there’s plenty of rooms and beds, and a large kitchen!” Lena informed them. “Also CVS Pharmacy has stepped up and donated two-hundred thousand dollars, in order to keep your supplies stocked. And Tyson foods has donated a one year supply of frozen dinners!”

“Oh my!” Lauren exclaimed, as her eyed filled with tears. “We can help so many more people now! Thank-you!”

Lena just grinned, as she showed the family around the shelter. “Also, the wood is fire proof, so there’s no way for a fire to start or spread. We used the same wood on your house, so y’all are perfectly safe.”

Lauren hugged their young host tightly in thanks, unable to express her feelings of gratefulness otherwise. “We can never thank any of you enough.”

“It was nothing,” Lena shrugged.

“No, it was something,” Krystal insisted. “More than you could ever know.”  

“Let’s head back to the house for one more surprise!” Lena exclaimed, leading them back onto the bus once more. “Trust me, you’ll love it!” 

They returned to the house, and they all filed off eagerly. They wondered just what their young host had up her sleeve now.

“Now, as you know, the Backstreet Boys were here with us this week,” Lena grinned. “They actually helped us out quite a bit. I even got to hog Brian and Nick – hehe. Anyway, while they were here we held a benefit concert, and raised quite a bit of money for y’all. You’ve enough for food, bills, clothes, Disneyland, everything!”

“Momma, we’re rich!” Becca exclaimed excitedly. “We can go see Mickey and Minnie again!”

 “Yay!” Rachel squealed, jumping up and down happily. “I loves Mickey Mouse!”

Lena laughed softly. “Well, they not only helped out quite a bit, but they decided to stick around so they could meet y’all as well!”

Just then, the Backstreet Boys – minus Kevin – came running out the front door of the Matherson house. The girls’ eyes went huge as saucers upon spotting them, and their excited shrieks could be heard all the way down the street.

Lena smirked as she watched the five girls go running for the four Backstreet Boys who’d come out to greet them.

“How y’all doin’?” Brian drawled, hugging Krystal and Joanna tight. “Y’all like your house?”

“Love it!” The Krystal and Joanna squealed, as they clung tightly to Brian.

Carla grinned broadly, as she clung to Howie. “Will y’all sing for us? Please?”

“Yeah!” Becca nodded her agreement, as she hugged A.J. “Any song will do!”

Rachel giggled in Nick’s arms, as he tickled her. “Uh-huh!”

“Well, how about I Still?” Howie suggested. “We’ve all got a part in that.”

“Kevin does too,” Lauren piped up.

“But Kevin’s not here to sing, Mom,” Krystal pointed out. “So Howie gets his part.”

“Who says he’s not?” Lena demanded, causing everyone to look her way and gasp. Figures they would, since Kevin was currently giving her a piggyback ride. “Surprise!”

“KEVIN!” The Matherson girls screamed, all running for him, as Lena slid off his back and moved aside quickly.

Kevin laughed, as he caught the youngest ones in his arms, and hugged them all at once.

“There was no way I was going to miss out on something as important as this,” he told them. “You can thank my cousin, Brian, for giving me a call.”

“Thank-you,” Lauren told him, as she stood watching her girls with her favourite Backstreet Boy.

Everyone laughed, as Lauren gave them all an innocent smile.

“A mother is allowed to have a crush,” she stated.

The Backstreet Boys – and Kevin – began to sing I Still then, as it would be in the end credits.

 

 Who are you now? Are you still the same

Or did you change somehow

What do you do

 At this very moment when I think of you

And when I’m looking back

How we were young and stupid

Do you remember that?

 

No matter how I fight

Can’t deny it

Just can’t let you go

 

I still need you

I still care about you

Though everything’s been said and done

I still feel you

Like I’m right beside you

But still no, word from you

 

Once they had finished singing, the camera crew wrapped it up, and vacated the premises. The Backstreet Boys and design team stuck around to hang out with the Matherson family for a while though.

 

Bus Ride Home by LenniluvsBrian
Author's Notes:

This is the shortest & last chapter to this fic. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Lena, Mathersons, Timbers Construction, & story idea. ABC owns Extreme Makeover & everyone else owns themselves. Thank-you!

Lena sat on the Extreme Makeover bus watching T.V., as it headed back towards Atlanta, Georgia. She couldn’t believe how fast the week had gone by, and that her and Ty were now headed back home. They’d a small break in between building houses, in order to rest up for the next big build.

 

                She sighed heavily, as she thought about what she still had to tell Ty. Nick and Brian had both reminded her to do so the night before, as they were all leaving the Matherson home, to head on back to their own lives.

 

                “He’s going to be so disappointed,” she thought miserably. She’d worked so hard this past week, wanting to make him proud, and yet without him knowing it, she’d technically screwed it all up. “I’m such an idiot.”

 

                “Hey Kiddo,” Ty smiled, as he joined her on the couch. “What’re we watching?”

 

                Lena shrugged, not sure what show was on now, as she’d been too busy thinking.

 

                “Everything alright?” Ty asked, a concerned look crossing his face. “You’re awful quiet today.”

 

                “I’m just thinking, is all,” Lena replied softly. How she wished she hadn’t promised to tell him.

 

                “Lena, you know you can tell me anything,” Ty reminded her. “So what aren’t you telling me now? Everything went great this week, did it not? Paulie gave me an excellent report.” 

 

                “Yeah, he would,” Lena muttered.

 

                “And what is that supposed to mean?” Ty demanded, eyeing her warily.

                 

                “Paulie doesn’t know everything,” Lena said finally, after a long moment. “I only saw Paulie when he insisted upon intruding. I was with Brian and Nicky more than anyone.”

 

                “What really happened this week?”

 

                “I…um…I kinda…screwed up,” Lena admitted at last. “I did some stupid things, and Brian and Nicky found out and took care of it.”

 

                “And just what was it they found out, Lena Marie?” Ty interrogated firmly.

 

                Lena shrunk some. Great. He didn’t even know the full story, and all ready he was getting mad at her.

 

                “Lena?” Ty repeated.

 

                “I…um…kinda forgot to eat…and didn’t get much sleep,” Lena finally managed to get out, gulping slightly.

 

                “Lena Marie Pennington!” Ty exclaimed. “Just what were you thinking!?”

 

                 “I didn’t want to fall behind and not be able to get everything done. This project meant everything to me, and I didn’t want to screw it up,” Lena answered quietly. “I wanted to make you proud. I didn’t want to let anyone down. But, I ended up letting you down anyway.”

 

                Ty sighed heavily, running a hand through his hair. “And you said Brian and Nick found out, right?”

 

                “Yeah,” Lena nodded. “They did.”

 

                “And did they deal with it?”

 

                “Yes,” Lena squeaked, her face turning crimson. “I never want to be lectured by a Backstreet Boy ever again! It’s embarrassing!”

 

                “Then, it’s done and over with,” Ty replied, after thinking for a long moment. “By looking at your face, I am sure they handled it well. So long as you never do something like that again.”

 

                “I won’t. I promise,” Lena assured him. “I learned my lesson, I swear.”

 

                “Then I’m still proud of you,” Ty told her, smiling some. “You confessed to doing wrong, when you didn’t have too. That proves I’m doing a good job, and that you know you can come to me with anything. And you did an amazing job this week, Kiddo, regardless of what went on behind the scenes.”

 

                Lena gave a huge sigh of relief, as she hugged him tightly. She didn’t know what she’d do without Ty. He meant everything to her, and always knew what to say to make her feel better.

 

                “I love you, Kiddo,” Ty reminded her, as he returned her tight hug. “No matter what you may do.”

 

                “Love you too,” Lena actually murmured.

 

                Ty was a bit surprised upon hearing those two words that he never expected to hear. She wasn’t one to say them – she’d much rather hug him or something, rather than actually utter it aloud.

 

                “Now, how’s about you start finishing up on that homework of yours,” Ty suggested.

 

                “What homework?” Lena asked, pretending to have no idea what he was referring to.

 

                “I know you well enough to know you probably started it, then set it aside all week,” Ty chuckled. “C’mon Kiddo. I’ll even help you with it, if you need me too.”

 

                Lena groaned. “You sure know how to suck the fun out of a long ride home.”

 

                “Well, soon as you finish it, we can always have a Nintendo marathon or something,” Ty promised. “I’ll even make some snacks.”

 

                “Oh, all right,” Lena complied, getting up and heading for where she’d left her knapsack all week. “You’re the boss, after all.”

 

                “Who is quite proud to say his second in command knows how to handle such huge responsibility for the most part,” Ty smiled.

 

                Lena blushed some as she sat at the table, and pulled out the last of her homework. “You better stop, or my head’s gonna get too big.”

 

                “If that happens, you’re attitude adjuster will adjust it quite nicely,” Ty replied calmly, as he began raiding the bus cupboards.

 

                “Ty!” Lena exclaimed with a whine. “Quit mentioning that blasted thing, will you? It’s bad enough the Backstreet Boys saw it! I don’t need you to keep reminding me that it’s there!”

 

                Ty chuckled, as he continued to search the cupboards for some snacks. He couldn’t wait until they were home, and he’d be able to tell her about the surprise he’d arranged. He had a huge reward for her, for doing such a good job as team leader. Only thing was, now wasn’t the time to tell her, as then she’d never concentrate on her schoolwork and would bug him incessantly.

 

                “Ty, I’m stuck,” Lena complained. “This stuff isn’t making any sense at all.”

 

                Ty set the snacks he’d found down on the counter, and moved to peer over her shoulder at her schoolwork. “Oh, this is easy.”

 

                Lena listened carefully as he went on to explain it all to her, in terms she would understand.

 

                Ty glanced at her, as she began doing as he’d instructed, unable to feel anything but proud. Maybe he wouldn’t tell her he’d a surprise for her. It might just be that much sweeter to just blindfold her and not take it off, until they were standing before the front entrance of Disney World. Yes, he was finally going to take her to Disney World – she had more than earned it. But, that’s another story to tell at another time…

This story archived at http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9999