- Text Size +
It was the middle of the night and Mia was still up. She looked down at Nick who was sound asleep next to her on her bed. She watched his chest rise and set from his deep breathing and she could hear him slightly snoring. As she sat in bed watching Nick sleep, she realized she was falling for him. She knew they can never have a relationship any deeper than dating but she couldn’t help herself.

Suddenly Mia’s phone vibrated furiously in her lap. She picked it up and flipped it open. It was a text message from Ken telling her to meet him at the safe house.

She slowly got out of bed so that she didn’t stir Nick and went to open her suitcase and retrieved her ninja attire. She quickly changed into White Tiger and snuck out of her suite through the balcony.

She mounted her hidden motorcycle parked in the parking garage and sped off to the safe house. She got there in no time. She made her way up the front steps of the safe house and opened the door with her key.

Ken greeted her as soon as she came through the door. “Oh good. You’re here.”

“I had to make sure Nick was asleep before I could sneak out,” Mia replied, taking off her ninja mask and tucking it into her suit. “What’s up?”

“We found Agent Davenport’s fingerprints all over our vault back at HQ,” Ken reported. “It seems he has the embedded disk. We also just got word from the CIA that he’s a double agent.”

“Why would Agent Davenport go through all the trouble of almost getting killed, just to obtain the disk? What’s his motive?” Mia asked.

“The CIA and Agent Rochester said he’s working for Roger Black and is in cohorts with Regina. His accident was a set up to get into our facilities so he could access our vault.”

Mia shook her head to disagree. “That can’t be true. Agent Davenport told me Agent Rochester is working for Roger Black and that he’s after the disk to make some kind of exchange with Regina. Rochester sent the ninjas that attacked and almost killed Agent Davenport.”

“When did Agent Davenport tell you this?” Ken asked confused.

“I ran into him at the club earlier but then he followed me to my hotel—”

“He’s here in New York? You led him to your hotel? Mia, we’re not sure if he’s the double agent or not.”

“He followed me!” Mia protested. “And I don’t think he’s the double agent. Rochester’s been after him after Agent Davenport found out his dirty little secret. Rochester’s manipulating the CIA into thinking Agent Davenport is the double agent. He also told his superiors in the CIA that we’re keeping information from them.”

“How can you be sureAgent Davenport's not manipulating you? Allowing him to have contact with you may not be a good idea. He knows you hate the CIA so you’re more likely to believe him. Why would he come to you and not any of us anyway? We don’t know the whole story. It’s his side against the CIA’s. Right now…evidence is against Agent Davenport.”

“Who’s to say the CIA and Agent Rochester aren’t manipulating you? Since when did you become their little bitch?” Mia snarled, angry that Ken would believe the CIA over her.

Ken glared at Mia. He was beginning to get annoyed with her defiance lately.

“Mia, you are being irrational! You’re letting your grudge for the CIA get in the way of your thinking! If you can’t handle teaming with the CIA, then I will take you off this case and you will never be able to keep your new boyfriend!” he threatened, as if Nick was nothing more than a pet to Mia.

Mia gritted her teeth and took a deep breath. She knew Ken never loses an argument even if he may be wrong.

“I’ve never trusted Agent Rochester from the moment we were assigned with him. Despite what you think is true, I think Agent Davenport is not a double agent. He only took the disk to protect it from Rochester and Black. I trust Agent Davenport more than I trust Agent Rochester,” she said through clenched teeth.

Ken sighed exasperatedly. “All I’m saying is to be cautious, alright? I do not want to lose my best agent because of wrong judgment,” Ken said, running a hand through his long black hair.

Mia got up from the couch and readjusted her ninja mask so that it concealed her face once again.

“I’m heading back to the hotel. I don’t know how long until Nick wakes up and realizes I’m gone.”

Ken gave a tired and defeated sigh and nodded letting her go.

White Tiger left the safe house without another word to Ken.


She made her way back to the hotel and parked her motorcycle to the hidden space in the parking garage. She went around the back and used the awnings to propel herself up to the balcony of her suite.

She slipped through the door and peered around her suite, seeing if there was anyone in the room. She heard a subtle rustling in the bedroom and immediately sensed a threat. She crouched down in the shadows and surveyed the room looking for an intruder. All she heard was Nick’s soft snoring. She peeked inside the bedroom.

A silhouette stood over Nick’s sleeping form and she quickly pounced on the intruder and pinned him up against the wall with her foot against his throat.

The commotion woke up Nick with a startle and he turned on the bedside lamp.

“What the Hell? Mia?” he shouted sleepily at the intruders. Nick sat up in bed in complete shock staring at a man with dreads being pinned against the wall by a female ninja.

White Tiger immediately recognized the intruder as the elusive Dreadlocks she had a run-in with at the airport a couple of days ago. She tightened her grip on his throat causing Dreadlocks to choke and gag.

“WHO SENT YOU?!” she demanded him. He didn’t reply but only sputtered.

“Don’t make me ask you again,” she growled in her throat. Dreadlocks tried to twist her leg and loosen her grip on his throat.

White Tiger let go of the man’s throat only to kick his face from side to side and then returned her grip. The man now had two cuts across his cheeks from the heel of her boot and was glistening with fresh blood.

“ANSWER ME!” she growled ferociously.

Nick kept staring at the two intruders in his girlfriend’s suite. He looked around and noticed Mia was nowhere to be found. He immediately turned to White Tiger and Dreadlocks.

“Where’s my girlfriend?” Nick demanded them, thinking they had something to do with her disappearance.

“Your girlfriend is safe for the moment,” White Tiger replied altering her voice so that he didn’t recognize her. She kept her grip on Dreadlocks not letting him escape again.

“Who are you?” Nick asked, studying her. He had never seen a real ninja before and he couldn’t believe he was staring at one in front of him. He continued to stare at her trying to make out who the woman was behind the mask.

He had the urge to unmask her and reveal her identity and was about to ask her who she really was when the balcony door burst open and three more ninjas came into the room.

The ninjas immediately grabbed Dreadlocks, letting White Tiger release him from her grip, and held him back from lashing out.

“Your homing signal was activated and we figured you needed back up,” Blue Viper said.

“Are you alright?” Jade Fox asked in concern.

“Thanks. I’m fine,” White Tiger replied, inclining her head at her fellow ninjas.

Nick looked from White Tiger to the other ninjas. “Who are you guys?” he asked, just as he heard the sound of rapid pounding on the door.

“Nick, what’s going on in there? We heard a noise,” the head of security asked.

Nick ran out of the bedroom and quickly opened the door for Marcus and the other bodyguards.

AJ, Howie, and Brian all came out from their own suites to observe all the commotion.

“What happened? Did someone break in or something?” Brian asked, as he, AJ and Howie followed the bodyguards into the suite.

“I’m fine. You won’t believe what’s in my room!” Nick said quickly leading the guys and the bodyguards into the now empty bedroom.

“What the hell? I swear there were ninjas in here just now!” he said baffled, looking around for the missing ninjas.

“What are you talking about?” Marcus asked, annoyed that he was woken up only to find nothing.

“Well I woke up to a commotion and this dude with dreads was pinned against the wall by this ninja chick. She was kicking his ass and demanding to know who he was and who sent him. Then three other ninjas came and I guess they grabbed the guy with the dreads. Now that I think about it, I think he was an assassin or something…” Nick began to trail off, when he realized what just occurred. The “dude with the dreads” was some kind of assassin that the mysterious ninjas were after, but the thing that baffled him most was why the assassin happened to be in Mia’s suite.

They all stared at Nick in confusion and with worried looks on their faces.

“So, an assassin with dreads came into your room to kill you but you were saved by ninjas?” Brian repeated slowly as if trying to understand what Nick had just told them.

“Are you sure you didn’t dream any of this?” Howie asked, staring at Nick as if he’s gone crazy.

“I know it sounds crazy, but I swear that’s just what happened!” Nick insisted.

“Nick, go back to sleep. Y’all have an early wakeup call tomorrow,” Marcus said, slightly irritated, thinking Nick is just pulling their leg.

Just as they all were about to leave the suite, a shuriken whizzed through the window past AJ, barely missing his head.

“What the fuck was that?” AJ said, seeing the star-shaped weapon lodged onto the wall just a few inches from his face.

A piece of paper was rolled up and placed in the center hole.

Nick unrolled the paper. “It’s just a phone number,” he said, confused. “555-510-4773.”