- Text Size +

It was a quiet morning in the Carter house. Most of my family went back to Kentucky; only my mom and Kevin’s family were still visiting. Kevin and Nia had taken the kids to Disney World for a few days. My mom decided to do some shopping. It was nice to have some peace and quiet. I sat on the couch with my feet propped up on the coffee table sipping tea and reading a book. After a few hours I decided to stretch my feet and walked to the mailbox.  I shuffled through bills, catalogs, magazine, and an envelope from Nick’s lawyers. It couldn’t be. Nick wouldn’t do that to me. I ran into the house and threw all the mail on the table except the envelope.

Quickly, I broke the seal and took out the papers. It was exactly what I prayed it wouldn’t be. How could he do this do me? I quickly put the papers back in the envelope and walked into the office. I sat at my desk and started to panic. My life was ending. I slowly breathed in and out trying to calm myself down. I had to hide the papers from myself. If I didn’t see them then it wouldn’t be true. Who was I kidding? It was true no matter where the papers were located.  A few minutes later I put the envelope in the desk drawer and went to my bedroom.

Divorce. He actually wanted a divorce. Nick didn’t even want to try to work things out. Tears poured down my face and my body shook as I sobbed. It was over. I would no longer be Mrs. Carter. I was going to be another statistic of divorce. Then I got pissed. Nick was a coward, who took the easy way out. It was easier to get divorced than to work on our marriage. He didn’t even have the decency to warn me about the divorce. Instead he wanted to surprise me with the worst thing to ever happen in my life.

I walked into the closet and started ripping his clothes off the hangers. I threw them all over the room. Shirts and pants were flying everywhere. I wasn’t stopping there. I was a woman possessed. My anger had gotten the best of me, and I didn’t even care. After all his clothes were on the floor, I went into the master bathroom. I opened up the closet. I grabbed his favorite cologne and poured it down the sink. I did this with bottle after bottle. Then I started throwing stuff out of the medicine cabinet. Birth control….don’t need it.  I threw it at the mirror. Make-up….don’t need it. It went flying past the door and into the bedroom. I was a tornado wrecking all the things that were no longer important to me. “I hate you, Nick Carter. You are the biggest asshole I ever met.” I continued to throw anything and everything I could get my hands on.

“Ashton, what is wrong?” Ann asked. She was concerned when she saw the disaster I made.

“My husband, I mean my soon to be ex-husband wants a divorce.” I yelled. My mom pulled close to her and attempted to comfort me. “NO, mom. I don’t want you to feel sorry for me. I just want to destroy anything and everything that reminds me of him.’ I grabbed the glass frame with our wedding picture in it and tossed it across the room. It hit the wall and shattered into a million pieces.

Ann grabbed her daughter and pulled her into a tight hug. “Shh…sweetheart, I know it sucks. Just let it out.” I sobbed and sobbed until no more tears came out of my eyes. Once I calmed down, I laid on my bed. “Get some rest sweetheart.”

My mom started to clean up the mess. “Mom, I’ll get that later. It’s my mess, and I’ll clean it up.” She nodded her head and left the room.

--------------------------------

 A few hours later the house phone rang. I didn’t bother picking it up. My mom must have answered it because it stopped ringing.

“Hello Carter residence. How may I help you?”

“Hello Ann. Is Ashton there?” Nick asked quietly. He knew the divorce papers were being sent out today and wanted to see how Ashton took the news. He knew she was going to take it hard.

“Nick, she’s in no condition to talk to you. I think you’ve done enough damage.”

“I never meant to hurt her, but I guess I did.” He felt horrible about the situation, but he knew he was doing the right thing.

“Yes you did. I hope you really thought this through. If you truly don’t love her than setting her free is the best. I know she’s hurting now, but she will be stronger in the end. If you’re doing this because you are confused and a divorce is easier than working out your problems, then shame on you. If that’s the case, you’re going to end up with a broken heart because when you decide you want her back. She might not be there.” Nick and Ann sat in silence. For Nick it was a lot to take in.

“I’m sorry. I need to talk to her. Can you have her call me when she’s ready to talk?” He voice grew shaky.

“Yes, Nick.” Ann placed the phone on the table. Her daughter was an emotional mess. Her son-in-law was more confused than he was before. She sat and prayed for both of them to get it together for themselves and their children.