- Text Size +

“Daddy. I missed you so much.” Rachel ran and Nick picked her up.

“I missed you, too. Where’s mommy and Jackson?”

“They are in the living room. Let’s go.” She pulled him into the room.

“Dad…I missed you so much.” Jackson ran over to him and hugged him. It was good seeing his kids. He loved them so much.

“Hello Nick.” I was going to be civilized towards Nick. I wasn’t going to show my anger in front of the kids. They didn’t need to see first hand how much their parents disliked each other at the moment.

“Mommy said you were going to talk to us.” Rachel looked at her father. “Are we moving to China?”

“No Pookie. We are not moving to China.” He ruffled her blonde locks.

“Jackson and Rachel can you please come and sit on the couch. We need to talk to you about something.”

My stomach was queasy. I didn’t want to have this conversation with them. Nick looked just as bad as I did.

“Mommy and I have something we need to tell you.” Two pairs of big eyes stared at us.

“What is it?” Jackson looked concern. He was afraid of what they would say.

“Daddy and I love both of you both very much. You mean the world to us.”

“Nothing can ever stop us from loving you.”

“Even if I caught the house on fire?” Rachel questioned.

“Yes, even if you caught the house on fire.” Nick answered.

“What we need to tell you has nothing to do with you or how much we love you.”Jackson faced showed it all. He was glaring at both of his parents. He knew what they had to say wasn’t going to be good. He felt himself start to get angry.

“You know how daddy is living at the condo.” The kids nodded their heads. Nick continued. “Umm…daddy is..umm…going to be….living there for good.” He choked on his words. I could see the tears ready to fall. Why was this happening to our family? Why couldn’t we work out our differences?

“Mommy and daddy are getting a divorce. That means that we won’t be married anymore. When a mommy and daddy get divorced they don’t live with each other anymore.” Rachel looked confused. Jackson was ready to cry.

“I hate you both. Daddy this is all your fault. You don’t love mommy. How could you? Mommy you can’t let this happen! I wish you both would go away. I HATE YOU BOTH!!!” Jackson ran out of the room. For a moment Nick and I stared at each other. Neither of us knew who should go comfort Jackson. He was mad at both of us. I don’t think he would talk to either of us.

Kevin walked into the room. “Sorry, I kind of overheard when I came in. Give Jackson some space. Let me go talk to him.” Kevin walked up the stairs.

----------------------------------

Kevin opened the door to Jackson’s room. He was sitting on the floor balling his eyes out. Kevin sat down next to Jackson and held him in his arms.

“Uncle Kev…..why…why….why…don’t….they…love…each…other?” Jackson sobbed the entire time.

“I don’t know Jackson. Your mommy and daddy are going through a rough time at the moment. I know it’s hard for you to see them fighting.”

“I hate it. They used to be so happy. I would see them giggling and joking around, and then it all stopped. They didn’t laugh or have fun.” He wiped his nose on Kevin’s shirt.

“Did you ever talk to your mom or dad about it?”

“No, I was afraid to. Then daddy moved out. He doesn’t want to be with his family. He wants to do things without us.”

“Jacks, I don’t think that’s true. Since, I’ve been visiting you; you have spent a lot of time with your dad.”

“I guess, but I miss spending time with mommy, daddy, and Rachey. We used to have so much fun. Now I can only be with daddy or only with mommy. I don’t like it.”

“I know, but sometimes we have to deal with things we don’t like. That’s what they call it growing up.”

“I’m only seven. I don’t want to grow up.”  Jackson hugged Kevin tightly. It felt good to be with Uncle Kevin.

“None of us want to grow up. Unfortunately we all have to.”

“Uncle Kevin?”

“Yes, Jackson.”

“You and Aunt Nia love each other a lot. I see you both giggling and having fun together. You spend time with Tylie and Spencer. Can’t you teach mommy and daddy how to be a family?”

“Well…” Kevin thought for a moment. “Aunt Nia and I don’t always get along either. We disagree a lot and sometimes even get mad at each other. We aren’t perfect, but we love each other a lot.” It was hard to explain adult relationships with a seven year old. He tried to explain it in kid friendly terms.

“Can I come live with you and Aunt Nia in Kentucky? I don’t want to live here any more.” Jackson’s bottom lip started to quiver and tears poured down his face. Kevin hugged his nephew and said a prayer for him. He could blame Nick for all this, but when it came down to it Ashton was also to blame. It took two people to make a marriage work. All he saw was a lot of fighting and a lack of communication. Kevin could feel Jackson’s body start to relax. He had fallen asleep. Kevin picked Jackson up and laid him on the bed.