- Text Size +

My mind was consumed with worry as I waited to see how Jackson was. At that moment I felt like the worst parent in the world. My son hated me and he was only seven. I don’t think I could take much more of this. Nick sat across from me. I had never seen him looking this sad. I knew he was thinking the same thing as me. As much as I hated Nick right now, I understood him more than ever. Nothing can tear you apart as much as your child hating you. I felt helpless.

Kevin walked into the kitchen, not looking very pleased with us.” He sat down at the island. I was about to say something, but the look on his face caused me to stop. He was going to tell us exactly what he thought.

“I want to talk to both of you, and I need you to listen to me. What the hell is wrong with both of you? You think the world revolves around you. Ashton you were raised better than this. Mom and dad would be ashamed.” I sat there with my mouth open. I was shocked at Kevin’s attitude.

“That’s not true, Kevin. We…” Kevin cut Nick off. Nick was getting annoyed with Kevin.

“Shut up Nick and listen to me. Everyone thinks you as the perfect couple with the perfect marriage and perfect family. You are both great actors. You think this divorce only affects you. Your son and daughter are just as much a part of the divorce. They have to listen to you argue. They have to only have one parent at a time. Did either of you think about them? Nick, did you only want the easy way out? ”

“It’s none of your business, Kevin.” Nick was getting pissed. Kevin had no right to butt into his marriage. He didn’t have the right to tell him how to parent.

“It wasn’t my business until your son asked to live with me because he wants a family. He said you used to spend time together. You would laugh and joke around. Apparently you haven’t been a family for a while. I mean all you do is fight about nothing. You get mad at each other and fight. Where’s the communication?”

“I try communicating with Nick, but he doesn’t want to listen. He wants what he wants, and that’s all that matters. Nick doesn’t care about anyone but himself.” Nick shot me a look. I didn’t care though. Nick would just have to get over himself. He wasn’t perfect.

“Ashton, you’re just as much to blame. You don’t communicate either. All I’ve seen you do is blame Nick and get in fights with him. I think you like fighting with him. It’s like a game between you to. You both try to see who can get the last word. You’ve got to stop. You want everyone to think Nick is the bad guy and he’s isn’t. He’s not perfect and neither are you.”

“How dare you, Kevin!” I was furious. I stood up and got ready to leave the room. I was tired of getting lectured by my brother.

“Don’t you dare leave? I’m not finished.” I sat back down. “I suggest you go to counseling together. I doubt you will do it since you’re both so stubborn. Tomorrow I’m leaving to go back to Kentucky. I’m going to take Rachel and Jackson with us.”

“What?” I stared in disbelief.

“I don’t think so.” Nick raised his voice.

“The kids need stability. At the moment neither of you are giving them that.”

“Kevin, you’re saying were bad parents.” Nick and I looked at each other, and I started to cry. He walked over to be and started to rub my back.

“You’re putting words in my mouth. I never said you were bad parents. What I’m trying to say is that both of you are so focused on yourself that it’s not fair for your kids to be around that. You need to work this out together and soon. I’m giving you the opportunity to work on your marriage. I think that would be easier to do that if the kids were not around. I’m not giving you a choice in the matter. They will be staying with me until you figure this out.” Kevin walked out of the kitchen.

“Take charge Kevin is at it again.” Nick was angry. He was angry at himself. He was angry at Ashton. He was angry at Kevin. He was angry at the world.

“Kevin does have a point.” I said quietly.

“You Richardsons are nuts. You all think you are so high and mighty. You all think you can do what you want.” Nick shouted at me.

“This is exactly what Kevin meant. All we do is yell and scream, but nothing changes. We need to start communicating. Whether we are married or divorced, we will still have to communicate. We will be bonded by our children. Don’t we owe it to them to make the situation tolerable?”

“Fine, you win. I don’t get a choice in it.” He threw up his hands in surrender.

“Nick, let’s just try it for the sake of our children. If it doesn’t work, we can go get them in the Kentucky.” I stood next to him. “We’ve got to make this work. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life fighting with you.”