- Text Size +

Day two had just begun. I was afraid to see the new Nick. I couldn’t believe he wanted to start over. Was I happy? Sure. Was I annoyed? Definitely. Was I more confused than ever? No doubt about it. I don’t understand how Nick could be so forgiving after what I did.

Nick walked in the bedroom carry a tray with breakfast. Mmmmm…breakfast in bed. He was really going the extra mile. He placed the tray on my lap. He had made me scrambled eggs, sausage, fresh berries, orange juice and tea. He even added a bouquet of flowers. I was touched.

“Good morning, Ashton. Nurse Nicky is here with your breakfast.”

“Thank you, Nurse Nicky.” I chuckled.

“How are you feeling?” He sat down on the bed next to me.

“It still hurts. I feel helpless.” I started eating. “Mmmm…Nick this food is delicious. I never knew you could cook.”

“Thank you. I’ve cooked a time or two. I talked to Jacks and Rachey this morning. Jacks is becoming a horse expert. Kevin says he spends all day in the barn.”

“That boy is not related to me.”

“You are the only person I know from Kentucky that doesn’t like horses.”

“I just don’t like them. How’s Rachey?”

“She’s having a blast. She went shopping with your mom and Aunt Jackie.”

“I bet. That girl loves to shop. What are your plans for today?”

“Taking care of you.” He stole one of my berries and popped it into his mouth.

“Nick you don’t have to attend to my every need. If you have to go somewhere, please go.”

“Nurse Nicky is at your service. I don’t think you’re able to do anything at the moment. If I left, how would you go to the bathroom?” I realized he was right, but I didn’t want to give him the satisfaction of being right.

“Okay. So, Nurse Nicky are you sure you’re a nurse?” I teased.

“I certainly am. I will take care of your every need.” He looked me directly in the eye. At the point I only had one need, but I don’t think he was going to fulfill it.

“Really, every need?” My heart quickened and my pulse raced.

“All in time. All in time.” Nick gave me a quick peck on the lips. He took the tray off my lap and placed it on the nightstand. “We’re going to play a game.”

“Okay.”

“It was your favorite back when we first met. Here is your paper. You need to write 10 questions you want to ask. Then put them in the basket.”  

Questions was my favorite game. AJ, Nick, and I would play it as teenagers. During this game I learned a lot of things about those two guys. It took me a few minutes to think about the questions I wanted to ask. All questions were fair game. I finished writing my questions and placed them in the basket. Nick’s were already there.

“You go first Ashton.” Always a gentleman, that Nick Carter was. I picked a question from the basket.

“Who’s your favorite Backstreet Boy? Hmmm…that’s hard. Not really sure I have a favorite. Maybe Howie or maybe AJ. Brian’s voice is beautiful. I think it would be Nick.” I tortured Nick. He stuck his tongue out at me.

“What are you hobbies? I like to sing, go to the beach, play with my adorable kids, and kiss my wife.” He placed his lips on mine. Before I knew it he was sucking gently on my bottom lip. I didn’t know where I was. He had me in a trance. I moaned. He went back to kissing me. Then he backed away. “Your turn.”

“What was the best day of your life? The best day of my life was the day after I came home when Rachel was born.”

“Why that day?”

“I remember lying in bed with you, Jackson, and Rachel. We were all cuddling. I had Rachey in my arms. Jackson was in the middle of us, and he was leaning against you. I felt safe and loved. It was perfect.”

Nick picked up his next questions. He studied it carefully. “What do you love about your spouse?  I love her kindness. I love how she sticks up for what she believes in. I love that she’s feisty and doesn’t take my crap. I love that she’s a great mom. I think she’s the most gorgeous woman I know. I love her kisses. I love her even when she’s a pain and is mad at me. I love her because she loves me. I love her because she loves me for me. I love her because she is who she is.”

He looked me in the eye the entire time he answered the question. My heart melted. Maybe everything was going to work out. I wasn’t about to get my hopes up this was only the second day we were together. I picked my next question.

“Who would you rather fight in a wrestling match: Kevin or Alex? I would pick Alex. I would flirt with him and then knock him down.”

“Ooh, it’s the last question. When did you fall in the love with your partner?” Nick stopped to think. Curiosity was getting the best of me. I was trying to guess what he was going to say.

“Come on, Nick. It can’t be that hard.”

“The first time I met you.”

“What? You were so rude to me. Kevin had to stop me from smacking you. Plus, I was such a dork back then. I wasn’t even pretty.”

“I was thirteen and didn’t know anything about girls. I thought you were annoying. All the other guys thought you were so cool, and I just didn’t get it. Afterwards I couldn’t stop thinking about you. I didn’t know why, but you were always in my head.”

This time I started kissing Nick. His hands were in my hair. I sucked on his bottom lip, and then continued to kiss him. With each kiss, the intensity grew stronger. I wanted him more than ever. Nick moved in closer. His lips trailed down my neck. Our desire was the only thing our minds and bodies could comprehend. It felt good to be intimate with my husband.