- Text Size +

“Ashton, what do you think the doctor’s going to say?” Nick asked me, while flipping through a magazine. We were sitting in the waiting room.

“I hope he says I can start putting some weight on this foot. I’m tired of being in bed.”

“I kinda of like having you in bed.” Nick smiled at me. He did have a point. It has been any enjoyable three weeks with him. There wasn’t a day that went by when we weren’t making love. We were like horny teenagers.

“Mmm. Me, too. We had a lot of fun. Can we go to Burger King when we’re done?”

“I thought you didn’t like Burger King?” He looked at me funny.

“I don’t, but I’m craving a Whopper.”

Before Nick could say anything, the nurse called me in. Nick carried me into the room.

“Good morning, Ashton.” Dr. Mitchell started looking at my foot. “It’s healing nicely. I think you can start putting my weight on it.”

“Thank goodness. I’m tired of staying in bed.” I laughed.

“Now you can’t go running marathons, but with crutches you can start walking around the house. Nick your still going to have to help her. Now let’s have a look at your arm.”  The doctor looked at my arm carefully.  “Your arm is healing nicely. I think in about three more weeks your cast will be off. Just take it slowly for the next few weeks. Make another appointment before you leave.”

“Thanks Dr. Mitchell.” Nick started helping me stand up. Whoa! I felt like I was going to puke. Nick noticed the sick look on my face.

“Are you okay?” I nodded my head. I couldn’t talk or I knew I would puke. Moments later the feeling passed.

“I’m fine, Nick. I just felt queasy. I think it’s from moving around. My body isn’t use to that anymore.” I smiled at him.

“Okay. I just worry about you.”

“I’m fine. Let’s go eat, I’m starving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It felt great being able to move on my own. I didn’t have to stay in bed. Nurse Nicky was getting a break. He had to be happy to not have to carrying me around anymore.

“Arizona, you’re ring is beautiful.” I admired her engagement ring.

“Thanks. I can’t believe Alex proposed.” She was beaming. Arizona was a sweetheart. Alex had found the perfect woman for him. They were meant for each other.

“Things seem to be going well with Nick. You both look like you’re glowing.”

“That would be from all the sex.” Nick sat down next to me. I smacked him in the arm.

“Aww…you two are soooo cute.” Alex pinched Nick’s cheek. Nick swatted him playfully.

“Nick, be nice. Have you set a date for the wedding?”

“Not yet. We’re just enjoying being engaged.”

My stomach started to churn. I wanted to get up and run to the bathroom, but I couldn’t move that fast. I sat there praying it would go away.

“Are you ok?”

“Yeah. I’m fine Alex. My lunch isn’t agreeing with me.”  I stood up slowly, grabbed my crutches and slowly walked to the bathroom.

I was sweating. I grabbed a rag and placed it under the faucet. I put the cold wet rag on my face. The coolness calmed me down. I think I was coming down an infection. I grabbed the thermometer and placed it in my mouth. One minute later, my temperature was normal. My stomach was still churning. I felt horrible. I must have caught something at the doctor’s office.

Slowly I walked into the kitchen. I opened the refrigerator and found some ginger ale. As I was pouring it, Nick walked in.

“Ashton, are you feeling ok?”

“Not really. My stomach is queasy again. I think I caught something at the doctor’s office.” I sipped the ginger ale. “Did Arizona and Alex leave?”

“Yeah, they were on their way to meet her parents for dinner. Why don’t you go lay down?”

“I’m so tired of being in bed.”

“Let’s watch movies and cuddle on the couch.”

“That sounds great.” I kissed him on the cheek. Slowly we made our way into the living room.

I didn’t see much of the movie. I had gotten so comfortable cuddling, I fell asleep. I woke up as Nick was playing with my hair. “You sleep well?”

“Yeah. I feel so safe when I’m next to you Nick.”

“I’m glad. These last three weeks have been great. It’s not just about the great sex. I’m glad we’ve had time to work on our problems.”

“I agree. We both acted immaturely. I apologize for making you think it was your fault. It wasn’t. I was wrong, and I feel like I wasted so much time being stupid. I’m ready to move forward with our marriage.” I looked him in the eyes.

“I’m sorry I left you and slept with Chelsey. I never wanted to hurt you in that way. I was just at stupid made mistakes. I’m ready to move forward, also.” He pressed his lips to mine. We sat on the couch making out like teenagers. Nick started unbuttoning my jeans. I stopped him.

“Not tonight Nick. I’m tired.”

“Okay. Are you still feeling sick?”

“I’m not nauseous anymore, but I’m sleepy. Let’s go to bed and you can hold me tight.”

“That sounds great.” He scooped me up into his arms and carried me to his master bedroom. I had not been in this room yet. He laid me on the king size bed, took his clothes off and laid next to me. Within minutes I was off in a land of peaceful dreams.